Williams Angel by Nikilicious
Summary: Elizabeth is the new servant girl at Hartley Manor, the year is 1748. However Elizabeth doesn't have the same instant attraction to Master William as he has to her. Elizabeth is drawn to Master Liam, but are his intentions true? And is Elizabeth your typical servant?
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Sexual Situations, Rape, Buffy/Other
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 76666 Read: 53923 Published: 04/10/2005 Updated: 05/03/2006

1. New Beginnings by Nikilicious

2. Friendships. by Nikilicious

3. Meal time by Nikilicious

4. Working by Nikilicious

5. Meeting by Nikilicious

6. Is this love? by Nikilicious

7. First Touch by Nikilicious

8. Loss of Innocence by Nikilicious

9. Truth hurts by Nikilicious

10. Market run by Nikilicious

11. Rescue by Nikilicious

12. Preparing by Nikilicious

13. Picnic by Nikilicious

14. Past explored. by Nikilicious

15. Rise and Fall by Nikilicious

16. Jealousies by Nikilicious

17. Apologies by Nikilicious

18. Second Date by Nikilicious

19. Just Friends? by Nikilicious

20. Day Off by Nikilicious

21. Family by Nikilicious

22. Helping hand by Nikilicious

23. Surprises by Nikilicious

24. Dressing Up. by Nikilicious

25. Masquerade by Nikilicious

26. Dismissal by Nikilicious

27. Prospects by Nikilicious

28. New jobs by Nikilicious

29. Proposals by Nikilicious

30. Too late by Nikilicious

31. Final choices by Nikilicious

32. Searching by Nikilicious

33. Heritage by Nikilicious

34. Survival by Nikilicious

35. Waking up by Nikilicious

36. Getting There by Nikilicious

37. Talking by Nikilicious

38. Looking to the future by Nikilicious

39. Making things right by Nikilicious

40. New Lives by Nikilicious

New Beginnings by Nikilicious
A/N: This is my first ever story and I would gretly appreciate feedback please..... But please be gentle like I said this is my first ever Fic! Really nervous about posting this, this is the first time I have ever posted on a site! I will warn people in advance that the story will deal with Bangle and an attempted Rape... Just so you are all warned upfront! Hope you all enjoy it and like i said reviews would be greatly appreciated please!

Chapter 1: New beginnings

Elizabeth Summers stood at the end of the drive staring up at the large Hartley Manor. The house was the largest and by far the grandest she had ever seen, just from looking from the outside she knew it must have at least eighty rooms probably more. Staring at the house all she could think of was how she was bound to get lost in the manor. Her mother had always told her that she had a terrible sense of direction and that she would probably get lost just getting to the house today. Which of course she had but there was no way that Elizabeth was going to tell her mother that, she was here to prove her worth or at least that is what she kept telling herself.

Unsure of herself and of what to do, Elizabeth stood staring at the house for a few more minutes before picking up her carpet bag with her one change of dress, smoothed out her blond hair and started walking up the driveway to the main door. She was in awe of the fabulous gardens on both sides of her and the sweeping gravel drive.

Reaching the door she did the only think she could think of. Placing her bag down she took hold of the knocker and knocked on the large door three times and then stood there waiting. She only stood for a few minutes before the door opened revealing a man with perfectly parted brown hair and small oval glasses that were perfectly positioned on his face. He wore a black suit with a pair of crisp white gloves.
Slightly taken aback at first by the neatness of the man in front of her, Elizabeth took a few seconds to find her voice before she spoke.

“Oh you must be Master Liam, I’m ….”

“I’m Wesley Wydam-Pryce, Master Liam’s butler” a smile presented itself on the man's face; if someone wasn’t watching him carefully they may have mistaken it for a smirk.

“You must be Miss Summers, I am afraid you are rather late we were expecting you sooner.”

“Yeah sorry bout that I …”

“Servants do not use this entrance, they use the kitchen entrance round the side of the manor, nor do servants speak when they are not spoken to.”

Slightly affronted at being interrupted twice now Elizabeth chose her next words carefully.

“Excuse me for speaking but you were speaking to me, thereby I should be able speak back.”

Wesley gave Elizabeth a look showing her that she had overstepped the line.

“Careful who you use that tongue on miss. It will do you no good at all to speak out of place at this household.

I will repeat again a servant will not speak unless spoken to and therefore is told to speak. In this household miss you will learn very quickly to hold your tongue and keep opinions to yourself.”
Elizabeth stared dumb founded at the man before realising his earlier comment about where to enter the house and thereby realising that she did not know the way to the kitchen.

“May I speak?” with a slight nod of the head from Wesley she continued “excuse me but how do I get to the kitchen?”

“Follow the house round it is not difficult Miss Summers.”

With that he shut the door leaving her standing there, finally picking up her bag Elizabeth set off round the house. This was her fabulous life from now on she thought to herself sadly. She would become the faceless servant whom no one really cared about, the servant who had no real opinions, ambitions or dreams. Buffy Summers was definitely dead and buried it was time to be Elizabeth Summers all the way now. Quietly, deep in thought she followed the house round to her new life.

Elizabeth came to a smaller door and realised that this must be the kitchen; however when she couldn’t see a knocker she assumed that she should just enter. What if this wasn’t the kitchen? She really hated when she didn’t know what to do. Standing there for a few minutes daydreaming she was knocked out of her daydream by a slight timid tap on her shoulder. Turning around she saw a boy behind her who was slightly shorter than her. The boy had brown hair and a shirt that was slightly too big for him. He just stared at Elizabeth then started speaking in a quite voice.

“Can I help you?”

“I’m Elizabeth summers, I was sent round to the kitchen door but I’m not sure whether this door is the kitchen door or whether this is like a door to a stable or a barn.”

The boy stared sadly at her “is this another of those occasions when I’m not suppose to speak again, it is just you asked if you could help me and if I’m not suppose to speak how can I tell you I need help?”

“I’m Jonathon, this is the kitchen door. I’m guessing you’re the new servant Maggie’s expecting?”

“Yeah thanks, one more thing, do I knock?” Elizabeth stood there chewing her lip it’d been a while since she’d been this unsure.

“No just go on in they probably wouldn’t hear a knock anyway.”

Jonathon then turned and went the other way leaving Elizabeth alone again. Plucking up the courage she pushed open the door and walked in.

The room was warm yet large. In one corner sat a girl with dirty blond hair huddled over a bowl peeling potatoes, in the center of the room was a large table with lots of vegetables on it. The stove had a mass of pans on it all boiling away. The smell from the kitchen was delicious and it made Elizabeth’s stomach grumbled reminding her she hadn’t eaten in a while. The room was what her sister would describe as organised chaos, it was busy yet everything seemed to have its place; even the people, it was only Elizabeth that didn’t have her place.

A woman swept towards Elizabeth, she was wearing an apron and looked like a down to earth likeable woman in her fifties. This must be Maggie Walsh, cook and head servant of the house.

“You must be Elizabeth, your slightly later than expected, this is not a good sign for your first day, as it is I now have a big meal to prepare for as the house has guests over tonight so I can not spend long idly talking. If you would have been here on time you could have helped today as it is you will now have to spend your time in your room settling in and only come out today at the servants evening meal at nine. I think you now know that I am Miss Walsh. If you come to fall into my good graces you will come to know me as Maggie, if you don’t you will come to know by the name my underhand’s use and think that I don’t know about: the “evil bitch monster of death”. Make no mistake I run a hard ship and will take no slackers, no moaning and no excuses period. Work starts at 6 every morning so it is advised that you get up at 5am. Evening meals are eaten all together in here at 9. You will meet everyone then. You have a uniform waiting for you in your room the cost of the uniform will be taken out of your first wage. You will wear the uniform at all times except when going to the market. You will always look smart and presentable and your hair should always be tied back unlike now. Lose hair is a sign of messiness and is a reflection of a bad staff and I will have nothing to disgrace the name of this household. Do you understand everything that I have told you?”

Elizabeth nodded her head “have you got any questions?”

Elizabeth could see a red-headed girl about her age who now stood behind Maggie shaking her head, getting the meaning Elizabeth shook her head “no Miss Walsh I’m fine thank you.”

Turning around quickly Maggie looked at the girl who had not had chance to turn away. “Ah Willow, I assume since you are just standing there staring you have nothing better to do. You can show Miss Summers to her new room”

“Yes Maggie. Should I then show her round parts of the house so that she won’t get lost on her first day?"

“That would probably be a good idea but don’t let yourself be seen and stay silent”

“We will be but don’t worry they’re all in the library enjoying drinks at the moment”

With that the two girls left the kitchen up a small wooden winding staircase.
Friendships. by Nikilicious
A/N: Thank you for everyone who reviewed!!! Thank you to Mariana, Ciley, sarah g, Brat, lynn Jo, Jerzeyanjel. It means so much to me that you all reviewed! Please continue reviewing it would really make me smile! Hope you all enjoy the next chapter....

Chapter 2: Friendships

“Hi I’m Willow” the redhead turned and looked at Elizabeth, shyly putting her hair behind her ears yet never once did she stop walking.

“Hi I’m Elizabeth” she tried to look up and tripped slightly on the steep wooden stairs that they were walking up. Willow caught her and helped her to her feet again before making sure there were no marks on her uniform, they were expensive and you were only given one.

“Don’t mind Maggie she does talk really fast and can get really stressed especially on days like this.”

“Why what’s special about today, I’m guessing it’s not all about me coming.”

“Lady Darla called for Maggie this morning to inform her that she had invited the Mayor and the Chase family over for dinner and that it had slipped her mind to inform Maggie, however they would require the Mayor’s favourite despite already having arranged all today’s meals. So Maggie’s been running round all day preparing. I feel sorry for Tara, she is Maggie’s helper. She’s the one in the direct firing line, at least we can all keep out of the way. She has been pealing and chopping vegetables all day her hands must be red raw.”

Elizabeth realised that the quiet girl in the corner must have been Tara. The girls had come to the top of the small staircase. Despite passing lots of other doors they had carried on to the very top, this had not surprised Elizabeth these were servant quarters. The door opened into a thin corridor with doors on both sides and the girls carried on.

“Did you have a reason to come into the kitchen then or did you just really want to check on Tara?”

“Actually it was because of you, not that Tara’s not important we are really good
friends.”

“How did you know I was here?”

“Well I was in the stables with Oz, sorry Daniel, he’s the stable boy. We are really good friends and I spend time with him all the time. Anyway, Jonathon came in to tell him he’d seen you. He said you looked lost.”
Elizabeth got the impression that there was more going on between Willow and Oz than what the redhead had let on. She seen the way the girls eyes had lit up when she had mentioned his name but she wasn’t about to press.

“So you thought you’d come and nosy at me? See told you I was an exciting thing to happen.”

“Don’t get me wrong you are an exciting thing to happen but actually I was coming to save you.”

The girls had reached the end door and willow was currently using a key that was above the doorframe to unlock the door.

“Usually Maggie has all the keys but she knew she wouldn’t be able to show you to your room so she left it there for whoever could show you. Anyway I came to save you because like I said I know what she can be like on days like this.”

The two girls entered into a small room that had a small but firm looking bed with a small wooden bedside table in one corner and a sink in the other. Near the door there was a single chest of draws. The room was very plain with no colour and a very small window that looked out onto the stables. On the bed lay a neatly pressed dress with a high collar and next to it a starched white apron.

“The rooms not much, but don’t worry it’s not like we ever get to spend much time in it any way. You are lucky most of us don’t get a window.”

“It’s alright. At least I don’t have to share it with anyone like at home. Anyway back to you saving me, is that why you told me not to ask any questions?”

“Yeah. Maggie frowns on questions especially on days like this. But don’t worry if you have any questions I’ll answer them.”

The two girls went and sat on the bed being careful of the dress , Elizabeth placed her bag on the floor between them.

Willow nodded towards the bag. “Do you want to unpack that now or wait till later 'cause you might be bored this evening?”

“There’s not exactly much to unpack, I’ll do it later it’s not like it’ll take any harm there.”

“Do you want to come and have a look round then now?”

“Definitely, but are you sure that we won’t get caught? I don’t want to get you in trouble”

“Nah they are all in the library and I know every way to avoid them now, you learn to when you’ve been working here since you were 14.”

“Wow, that’s the same age as my sister”

“Come on lets go this room is depressing” with that the two girls left the room. On the way out they didn’t lock the door this time but willow did pocket the key ready to give back to Maggie later.

Two hours later the girls had explored all aspects of the house and had even managed to avoid everyone. Elizabeth was slightly in awe of the house the furnishing and everything was very elegant.

“See it’s really not that hard to find your way round. If you stick to the servant ways, they all lead to the main rooms and there are bells in the kitchens and all of the servants room so you can see who wants a servant and where they are needed. It gets really annoying especially when they want things at night.”

“Its all quite impressive, I still reckon I’ll get lost. Do you reckon I can get sacked on my first day?”

“Don’t be silly. Trust me you’ll be fine. Come on we’ll go get a drink out the larder, just keep quiet” with Willow in the lead the two girls headed down another narrow servant quarter leading to what Elizabeth could only assume was the larder.

“Will, can I ask you something?

“Haven’t you learnt anything about me yet? You can ask or tell me anything”

“Well obviously in the village you hear rumours.” Elizabeth paused chewing on her lip, nervous of asking her next question in case willow laughed at her. “Is it true they call Master Liam, Angel?”

Willow who had turned to look at Elizabeth when she had paused, turned back to the way they were walking and started giggling.
“I can’t believe the village knows about that. Yeah that’s what we call him among us lot.”

They had reached the larder and willow stared searching on one of the shelves for something to drink and after hearing Elizabeth’s stomach rumble a few times during her ‘tour’ something to eat as well.

“Why?”

Still searching Willow carried on answering. “He’s so lovely to all of us; he really is like an angel. Sorry it’s not more interesting it’s just because he’s like an angel trust me you’ll see for yourself soon enough”

“Is there anyone I should be wary about?” Elizabeth had wanted to ask that since she had first started talking to Willow but was too scared to.

“Miss Darla can be a little harsh; she doesn’t like anyone going too near her boy if you get my meaning”

“When you say her boy, you mean Master William?”

“No I mean Master Liam, their relationship is a bit weird! But mine is not to judge. Master Williams is alright, a bit quiet…nooooo!” Willow had just tipped a jug of milk down her black dress. “What am I going to do, I have to work tonight and only have one dress”

Elizabeth thought quickly while looking at the white covered willow. “It’s not a problem. You are the same size as me, so you use my uniform tonight and as I have nothing to do tonight I’ll clean yours and hand in back to you before you go to bed.”

“Really? Oh you are so the best friend, it’s going to be so good having you round”

“Come on lets go get you changed” with that the two girls sneaked back out of the larder making sure that they hadn’t been seen and stole a few apples on the way out.

“You do look slightly funny though covered in milk” with that they broke out into fit of giggles and ended up running back to Elizabeth’s room.

However they hadn’t gotten away totally without being seen. Watching from the shadows stood a tall man with blond hair. He had been drawn by the girl’s giggles after finding the library totally dull. Watching all William could wonder was who the beautiful angel with Willow was.

TBC …..
Meal time by Nikilicious
A/N: Thank you to everyone who review it means a lot to me... please keep reviewing! I Will try and keep my updates regular... I will try and update on a wednesday and a sunday. Hope you all enjoy this chapter!

Chapter 3: Mealtime

Willow had been right, the evening had been very boring for Elizabeth alone in her little box room. First she had unpacked her bag, and then she had cleaned Willow’s dress in the little sink. It had been difficult but not impossible. She had then hung it out the little window to dry, being careful that it didn’t fall. Finally she had settled down on the bed to search through the bedside table, hoping to find a book that she could read. However when all she found was a bible she decided that it must mean they realised that most servants couldn’t actually read so thereby had no need of a book.

When the clock reached 8.45 she decided to try and head down to the kitchen as Maggie had told her that the evening meal was at 9.00 and she didn’t want to be late and although it had only taken willow 5 minutes to get to the room she didn’t want to get lost. So she brushed her hair and then set off for the kitchen.

Finding the kitchen had been relatively easy. Willow had been right, simply follow the little corridors and it is quite easy to get about. The kitchen had the same warmth about it that it had had that morning, however whereas earlier pans had been cooking now just two large pans where cooking and Tara was now washing instead of peeling. Maggie was at the sink washing the plates as well with her back to Elizabeth.

“Ah Elizabeth, slightly early this time, I guess your stomach called you?” Elizabeth was slightly amazed that she had managed to know that it was her without turning away from the sink. “Your dress moves differently and sounds different than all my other girls and I knew it was not a rich enough material to be Miss Darla” finally turning to face Elizabeth “that’s how I knew it was you entering my kitchen”.

Elizabeth was slightly shocked Maggie could read her thoughts. She dismissed that idea straight away though and just realised that it probably didn’t take a genius to know what she was about to ask that question.
“You might as well sit yourself down at the table the rest will be here shortly. Most are helping the Chase family off”.

Elizabeth sat at a chair at the table. Suddenly the kitchen door opened making Elizabeth jump and a young girl about Elizabeth’s age with shoulder length brown hair walked in. The girl was carrying a tray with several crystal glasses on it. Carrying the tray over to Maggie without even noticing Elizabeth, the girl then sank into a chair at the other far end of the table.
Maggie turned to the girl, who suddenly sat up much straighter in the chair. “Amy, I am guessing by the fact that you have brought me the glasses that they have had enough, yes?”

“Yeah, the mayors gone now and Larry is helping Daniel set up the Chase’s carriage. Apparently the horses are being difficult. Master Liam and his wife are sat in the drawing room, with the Chases until there carriage is ready and Master William has excused himself, don’t think he can stand Miss Cordelia anymore, mind you I don’t blame him. That girls a bitch.”

“That she may be Amy, but she still deserves respect and service”

From the back door the short boy Elizabeth had met earlier and now knew as Jonathon entered. He had the same sad look on his face that he had had on before. He also sank into a chair next to Amy looking completely exhausted. Nobody spoke to him so the room stayed quite for a few minutes except for the sound of the dishes being washed and the pan bubbling on the stove.

Suddenly a bell rang above the door breaking the peace. Elizabeth looked at it not quite comprehending, then remembered what Willow had said about the bells.

Amy rose from her chair grumpily and smoothed out her dress. “Master William wants something, he’s in his study. Don’t worry I’ll get it.” With that the girl left the room. Elizabeth was unsure whom the last part was directed at. Who else could have gone?

Everyone sat quietly again and Elizabeth was unsure whether Jonathon had fallen asleep or not he was being very still. The kitchen door opened again, this time letting willow in. willow smiled at Elizabeth and then went to report everything to Maggie just like Amy had.

“The Chase’s have just left. Angel and Miss Darla are still in the drawing room but Miss Darla has told me to get their room ready. So I’ll go put the bedpans in their bed and extinguish their fire.” She smiled at Tara who was watching willow intensely. “Hi Tara, where’s Amy, I was sure she came in before me?”

“M-m-master w-w-William called her away”

Willow nodded then went to the stove and used some of the coals from it to fill two bedpans that were learnt against the wall. Carefully she then carried them to the wooden staircase that Elizabeth had come down.

At the same time Amy came back into the room “Master William would like some bourbon”

She reached a large bottle down from a shelf and another crystal glass and then placed them on a tray and excited the room the way she had came in.

As she was leaving two lads walked in from the back door. One was quite tall and slightly wide and well built with brown hair. His nose looked like it had been broken at one time. The other boy was short with spiky red hair. Both wore similar brown cord trousers and a grey shirt with stripes. Both boys were also covered in mud. They took off their boots at the door then came and sat at the table. The tall one sat in the seat that Amy had just left and the shorter one sat in a seat next to Elizabeth. Nodding at her, like it was totally normal to have a total stranger sat at the table and that it completely unfazed him.

The other boy was talking to Jonathon “man those horses are the worst beast ever, mind you they are just like the Chase family I can see how they get on so well. Mind you my sympathies go out to the Chase’s servants the shit that they have to put up with” Maggie hit him with her towel.

“Larry you will not speak ill of the Chases or anyone else for that matter” with that Tara came and sat at the table leaving a space between her and the tall boy, Maggie went to the stove and started serving up the food that was boiling in the pans. She placed a dish down in front of everyone then sat at the head of the table next to Jonathon. Elizabeth looked at the food in front of her. It was a stew that she assumed was made up of all the household leftovers and there was a serving of potatoes next to it. Although it was seconds she knew she wouldn’t go hungry.
Amy re-entered a few moments later with the empty tray. Placed the tray next to the sink and served herself a bowl of the stew then came and sat on the other side of Maggie.

Elizabeth was desperate to start eating as all she’d eaten in the last few hours was the apples Willow and her had stolen, however as no one else was eating she held off.

From the door that led to the main house that Amy had come through, Wesley entered. He looked exactly the same as he had before. He went to the stove served himself his meal and then went and sat at the other head end of the table next to Tara. The next second willow entered the room from the small wooden staircase carrying the two empty bedpans she placed them back up against the wall where she had found them. Served herself a bowl of food and went at sat at the table between Elizabeth and Amy. As there was a chair empty Elizabeth assumed that there was a person missing. However when Maggie started talking everyone turned to look at her.

“Before we say grace and eat, we have a new person at the table that is joining us. Everyone this is Elizabeth” Maggie pointed a long finger at her “I would like you all to introduce yourselves, she already knows willow and Wesley but everyone else.” The girl on Maggie’s right started.

“Hi Elizabeth I’m Amy Madison” Elizabeth smiled at her, and then looked at willow.
“You already know me but I don’t want to feel left out, so hi I’m Willow Rosenberg” Elizabeth stifled a little giggle.

Turning to her right Elizabeth looked at the short boy next to her.
He nodded and gave a little smile “oz” so this was the boy that willow spoke so fondly of. He seemed perfect for willow after the short time Elizabeth had got to know her.

By-passing Wesley she looked at the shy girl who was currently looking at the table. She looked up at Elizabeth “h-h-hi i'm t-t-Tara McClay.” Elizabeth smiled at her and the girl smiled back.

Next the tall boy was looking at her “hi I’m Larry Blaisedale, it very nice to meet you”. Elizabeth gave him a slightly smaller smile than what she had given Tara.


The boy that she already met gave her a shy smile then looked at Maggie “we’ve already met”.

Once everyone was introduced Maggie said grace and everyone tucked into the food. It was a wonderful atmosphere to be apart of as everyone talked toeach other as they ate, willow kept talking to Elizabeth. When everyone had eaten Maggie and Tara stared to clean the table and the dishes. Some of the people stayed round the kitchen but as there was nothing left for willow to do, her and Elizabeth went up the wooden stairs to their rooms.

Willow went into her own room which was next door to Elizabeth’s and then a minute later knocked on Elizabeth’s door. Elizabeth handed her the dress she had cleaned and picked her own up and said thank you.

Thinking of what a nice night she had had she climbed into bed and smiled at the lovely people she had met tonight, and only slightly dreaded what tomorrow may bring.

A/N: I promise Williams coming soon!
Working by Nikilicious
A/N: Thank you sooo much to the people who reviewed me last time... Sorry this chapter is a day later than what I said it would be I have had a few thigs going on at home! Sundays post will also be on Monday as I am away this weekend... seeing JM in concert! Not that you all needed to know that! Anyhoo despite it being a day late I hope you all enjoy it anyway! p.s. please all keep review it has made me write a lot fast and I have got LOADS written!!!!


Chapter 4: working

That morning at 5.00am Elizabeth’s alarm went off. While hiding under the covers Elizabeth was glad that her mother had insisted she had taken the clock else she would have been late today, yet at the same time she was hating the thing and secretly damming it to hell for having the nerve to wake her up in the first place. Leaning over she turned the large brass clock off and led quietly listening to the noise outside her door. It sounded to her like she was one of the last to get up. Getting out of bed and dressing quickly into the simple uniform that Willow had worn the night before and tying her hair into a tight knot at the back of her head she hurried out of the room and down the wooden staircase to the kitchen. Elizabeth now knew this way quite well and hoped that she would soon know the whole house that well.

In the kitchen sat most of the people that she had met last night. The only people that Elizabeth could really see missing where Larry, Jonathon and Amy. Maggie stood at the stove in front of a large pan. She served a ladle full of what looked like porridge into a bowl and handed it to Elizabeth.

“Come on girl you can’t be standing around staring all day. There’s lots of work to do.”

Elizabeth sat down next to willow again and ate her porridge quickly. Willow chatted to her as she ate while Elizabeth nodded and grunted in confirmation

“Did you sleep well?… did you find the kitchen alright?… are you ready for today?…did you like everyone last night?… are you ready to meet the masters?”

“Willow that is quite enough idle chitchat from you. Neither of you have time for talking. Elizabeth when you have finished that go and help Amy in the dinning room. Tara will show you where it is. Tara you will help there as well. Willow you will go and get Jonathon he is outside in the vegetable patch. You will tell him to clean the fireplace grate in the living room. You will then change out of your uniform and do the market run. Do you all understand.” This was followed by two “yes miss” and one “yes Maggie” all then exited the kitchen.

Following Tara out of the room Elizabeth was amazed at the splendour of everything around her. She had never been out this door of the kitchen before and found everything around her breathtaking. Laying the table Elizabeth found as quite a challenge as there were so many knife and forks and spoons to go on the table. So although it was only laid for three it was a mammoth job and Elizabeth was starting to dread the day when she would have to lay the table for a big occasion like last night. Taking to Amy and Tara, Elizabeth found out that both had been working at the house for a number of years now and that neither had much family, as both of their mothers were dead. Elizabeth felt sorry for them and bit guilty that she had had a good life until now and that this was the first time she had ever had to work before and that she was finding it strange. She did not share any of this with Amy or Tara she though that best to keep to herself. The more experienced she seemed the longer she would survive here.

All three girls headed back to the kitchen to get further jobs off Maggie. Elizabeth was just about to slump into a chair when Maggie turned to her.

“No time for that Miss Summers. I have a lot of jobs lined up for you all” and she did, she really did.

----------------------------------

William had woken early and could not get back to sleep. All night he had dreamed of the girl he had seen briefly yesterday. Every time he had closed his eyes he had seen the way her golden hair had bounced round her shoulders framing her face, every expression that beautiful face had made. The way her cute little giggle had cheered up the entire dreary servant corridor. The way she had smelled, a mix of vanilla and rose with just the hint of rosemary. She was every way describable beautiful. She was an angel from heaven above. She was haunting his every sense.

Yet still William did not know who she was. His angel had managed to elude him. Maybe she was a there purely to torment him. Let him see what heaven looked like and then take it away from him, never to see it again.

Last night when he had been unable to find her again he had decided to try and get willow alone. As it had been willow he had seen the girl giggle with so if anybody should know who she was it should be her. However try as he might, and try he did, he could not get willow alone all last night. So therefore had been unable to quiz her about the girl so still this morning she remained a mystery haunting his dreams and every waking moment.

He had tried to get willow alone when he had left the Chases to go to his study. But it had not been willow that had come to serve him but Amy. Thinking quickly he had asked for some bourbon and had sat there last night drinking it and drawing the girls likeness.

Today however he would find out who she was. He had been lonely too long now, every since Dru… no he would not dwell on things that cannot be changed

Heading down to the dining room to join the great poof and Darla for breakfast he was sure he could smell her scent, and simply put it down to his mind playing tricks on him.

-----------------------------------

Elizabeth did not help serve with the breakfast. Instead she had been given many other jobs to do. By lunchtime she was exhausted and did not honestly know how she would be able to carry on this afternoon let alone do this everyday. She had managed not to meet any of the masters except for Darla as of yet. Something she was extremely grateful for as she was still managing to forget certain rules, mainly the one about not talking. Elizabeth had worked harder that morning than she had most of her life. She had helped lay the table in the dining room for breakfast, then she had gone with Tara and helped dress Miss Darla. While they had all eaten there breakfasts she had gone and changed all the beds. She had then helped clear the table when everyone had left the dining room. She had mopped the grand entrance hall and sweeping staircase, helped Jonathon dig up the rest of the vegetable ready for the day. Thinking that she would get a sit down at about that time she had gone back to the kitchen where Maggie had given her more jobs the list was endless.

It was two o’clock now and Elizabeth hadn’t eaten anything since that bowl of porridge this morning. Her stomach felt like her throat had been cut. So she headed to the kitchen in the hope that Maggie would feed her instead of giving her more jobs.

--------------------------------

In his study again William decided to try once more to get willow. He had rang for service six times already today in hope that willow would come, he was desperate to find her and ask her about the girl now. But luck had not been in his favour and each time Amy had come to his service. He was rapidly running out of things that he could ask for so hoped that it would be willow that came this time. He rang the bell and went and stood at his window looking down at the ground and watching the short stable boy Daniel trying to get his horse, Spike, to go into the field. Just then Liam walked into his study without knocking and sat himself down on Williams chair behind his desk. 'Bollocks what does the great poofster want now?'

-----------------------------

Elizabeth had just sat down and had been given something to eat when the bell above the door rang. Indicating that someone in Williams study needed service. Maggie turned to look at the bell and stared at it a second as though she had never seen or heard one before and that it was an alien concept before turning to Elizabeth.

“Master William requires something again. Amy is busy, you can go and see to him”

Elizabeth gave one last look at her food before standing up smoothing out her dress and hair and slipped out the door and headed to Williams study.

------------------------------------

William looked at Liam who just stared back hoping he could find someway to get rid of him soon. Preferably before the servant he had called, hopefully willow, came. Liam wasn’t saying anything he was simply staring at William.

“Bloody hell you gonna say something or just keep starin’ “.

Liam gave a slight smile that looked almost evil and full of malicious intent. “Well . . .”

Just at that moment there was a slight almost timid knock at the door. William turned his whole body away from Liam and turned towards the door. “Enter”. The door pushed open but William was not expecting the person who walked into his room. It was not red or Amy or even Tara, it was his angel. Here in his room.
Meeting by Nikilicious
A/N: Thank you to the people who reviewed my last chapter... I'd been away for a few days so to come back and find that was lovely!!!! Made me really smile and also write a lot fast... Have got nearly 8 chapters wrote while I was away! Sorry about the semi-evil cliffhanger at the end of the last chapter... I have a habit of doing that! Ok will stop yammering on now and will let you read this chapter.. the more you review the quicker I'll update!


---------------------------------
Chapter 5: Meeting

William simply stared at her. She was just a beautiful as she had been when he had seen her the night before. Here she stood right in front of her. She now wore the servant’s uniform and her hair was tied up into a harsh bun instead of flowing round her shoulders like the other night, but she was a vision all the same. She had the same wonderful scent that had filled his senses the last time her had seen her and was now filling his room. After all his searching she had been under his nose the entire time. Now here she stood in front of him looking at the floor, she had been taught well like a true servant should be, yet William couldn’t find any words to say to her to express the way he felt. After several minuets he opened his mouth to speak, but it was not his mouth that the words came out of.

Elizabeth walked into the room when she heard a male voice telling her to enter. However learning well she kept her eyes to the floor until she was spoken to. She was the servant who wasn’t really there until told to be there. Suddenly a man talked to her.

“Your new here right? What’s your name?”

“Elizabeth sir” she looked up into the eyes of the man who had spoken. His eyes twinkled and Elizabeth was struck by how enchanting they were. The man who had spoken to him was tall and well built with broad shoulders. He had long brown hair, cut to just above his shoulders and a low kind voice. He had a mysterious air about him that Elizabeth liked.

“Do you have a last name Elizabeth?”

“Summers sir, Elizabeth summers” Elizabeth couldn’t help staring at the man who had bewitched her.

“Well Elizabeth, I’m Master Liam and this is my son William”.

So this was the man that Willow and the other servants called angel. She could see why he was certainly an angel. Turning to where he was pointing, Elizabeth saw another tall well-built man with hair unnaturally blond, blonder than hers. However she quickly glanced at him and then turned her full attention back to Angel.


'Typical, I finally meet her and he’s got to be here bollocksin’ it all up for me. Well he’s got another thing coming if he thinks I’m just going to roll over and let him take over.'

“ ’Ello pet” Elizabeth turned back to William now and realised that he had blue eyes and very well defined check bones. “Are you from the village pet?”

“Yes sir,” Elizabeth noticed he had his head cocked to one side as though examining her and it made her feel a little uncomfortable under his gaze.

“How old are you love?”

“19 sir” at that one Elizabeth turned her attention back to Angel to see his reaction to her age. He simply had the same brooding expression on his face though and Elizabeth could not tell whether he liked her or not. William noticed that he was losing her attention but was not done yet.

“Your quite young, aren’t you pet? Do you have any family?”

“Yes sir, my mother and my sister, and my brother” Elizabeth was unsure why William was asking this many questions about her and it was staring to make her even more uncomfortable. Liam seemed to sense her discomfort and spoke up for her.

“William, what’s with all the questions?”

“Just getting to know her, that’s alright isn’t it love.”

Elizabeth gave a weak nod and turned her eyes to the floor. William saw this and didn’t want to push her away further than he may already have done with his question. It was her choice after all if she picked either one of them and he wasn’t going to have a pissing contest with the great poofster over her. She was too important.

Watching her now, William realised how tired she looked and how her eyes held less sparkle than they had the night before. He had been that carried away with getting her attention away from Liam that he hadn’t actually seen her. He spoke quietly now and actually to the girl in front of him.

“I’m sorry pet, didn’t mean to push”
Elizabeth noticed how his whole demeanour changed. How his voice had a soft edge to it. She lifted her eyes from the floor and looked him in the eye; she noticed a sadness there and also a kind of hoping. They looked into each other’s eyes for a few seconds before Liam cleared his throat and Elizabeth looked away while William kept staring.

“Well William, did you call Elizabeth here for a reason or did you just want to stare at her?”

The truth was William could have stared at Elizabeth all day but he did need a reason to bring her up here.

“Well of course I bloody have a reason. Elizabeth, could I have someone saddle my horse for me?”

“Yes sir” she was a little taken back by his request “will there be anything else sir?”

“No that’s all thank you”

With that Elizabeth left the room, Liam followed her out a second later, completely forgetting what he had come to speak to William about in the first place.


Walking back to the kitchen all Elizabeth could think about was Liam and how handsome he was, and how much she really wanted to kiss him but how that really wouldn’t be a good idea, and how many things could go wrong but how much she really really liked him. Entering the kitchen Maggie turned to look at her.

“You took your time, get lost did you?”

“No miss, I met Master Liam and Master William. Master William insisted asking lots of questions, but master Liam saved me from them.”

“Well that’s all very interesting, but did master William actually want anything?”

“He’d like someone to saddle his horse, he didn’t say were he was going though”

“Never does. Probably going somewhere quite to write his poetry.

Anyway go out and tell Daniel, he won’t be too happy mind he’s just spent half and hour getting that creature into the field. When you’ve done that you can peg out the laundry. There in a basket in the laundry room.”

Elizabeth started across the room to the door that led outside “oh and Elizabeth” she turned back towards Maggie “if you see miss Rosenberg in the stables tell her I need her” Maggie’s voice had a stern edge to it that told Elizabeth Willow was in trouble.

“Yes miss”

Elizabeth left the kitchen and went and found oz in the stable, but couldn’t find willow anywhere so gave up looking she then went and got the laundry basket and started to peg the washing out to dry. While she was doing that she felt someone watching her. She turned to see Liam watching her intently from one of the manors upstairs rooms. She smiled and felt happy on the inside for the first time in a while. She kept pegging but every now and then she would glance over her shoulder to see if he was still watching her and smiled every time he smiled back at her. Elizabeth didn’t care what anyone would say she like Angel a lot and even thought she was falling in love with him.

---------------------------

A/N: Sorry! Please don't all hate me because of the BA... be warned it has to get worse before it can get better!
Is this love? by Nikilicious
A/N: Thank you once again to everyone who has reviewed, all feedback has been gratefully appreciated!
***

Chapter 6: Is this love?

Although Elizabeth had thought that her first day had been hard she had soon come to realise that that had been classed as relatively easy compared to what the next few weeks had been like. Her first day she assumed therefore must have been like a trial run but she had survived and she just kept on surviving. She had a reason to survive now, she had Angel.

After their first meeting that day Elizabeth had barely spent one moment when Angel was not taking up her thoughts. She thought about him during everything that she did. She still did not know whether he felt the same about her but she hoped that he did even just a little bit. If there was ever a job to be done near Master Liam then she would always be the first in line to go and serve him. She knew that he had Darla and that that in it's self should mean that she shouldn’t go near him but some how it didn’t seem to matter. Nor did the fact that she was just a servant and he the master of the house and very high up in society. Nothing mattered and nothing stopped her feeling the way that she felt.

She had been at the house for 4 weeks now and had learnt her way round it seamlessly. She knew every servant passage and where everyone would lead. She had also learnt everybody’s personal traits although as of yet she still could not read Master William.

He was away from the house a lot of the time and would hardly ever spend any time with his parents except at meals. She had realised early on as well that she had never once heard him call his parent’s mother or father. It was always with the rightful names nor did he seem to show any compassion for them. She was unsure as to how he felt towards her as well. There were times when she was sure that he must hate her for some reason she did not know about, yet then he would contradict that thought completely. There would be times when he would just stare at her and Elizabeth was sure he was reading her and could seeing straight to her soul. Then there would be other times when the second she would enter a room he would immediately excuses himself from it. His behaviour was quite confusing and Elizabeth really didn’t know what to make of it. However she had now been trained well and never once did she pass judgement or share her opinions out loud.
With the passing of time she was sure that she would learn to understand his behaviour and that one day it may all make sense to her.

At the moment however she was not concentrating on what William said and did, she was putting all her energies towards Angel. It was evening now and Elizabeth knew that Master Liam would be settling down soon in his study reading a novel which at the moment happened to be La Nausee by Jean-Paul Sarte, and would then be calling for his evening drink. Which of course she would willingly serve him. She headed back to the kitchen ready for when the little bell above the door would ring.

***
William was finding this hard. Although Elizabeth was near him every day it was not him that she favoured. It was nancy boy, and it wasn’t like he hadn’t done this before. How many servants had this household gone through? Servants who had thought they had seen something special in Liam and then been sorely proved wrong. Then they would leave quickly afterwards due to the shame and no longer being able to show their face in this household. Yet still the rest of the servants called him Angel. That was a laugh; Liam was no more an angel than he was! If truth were told William had never taken much interest in what Liam did with the servants it wasn’t any of his business, if they were too thick to see what he was doing to them it wasn’t Williams fault. This girl however was different. She had caught William attention and he hoped that she didn’t fall to the same tricks that all the others had. The brooding and distressed puppy dog eyes that Liam gave them that seemed to make them all melt yet at the same time he always managed to portray a mysterious air that made girls seem to fall at his feet. He simply hoped that she didn’t fall at his feet he didn’t want her hurt, even if couldn’t have her he certainly didn’t want Liam to do anything that would hurt her. William never even entertained the theory that Liam could possible care for her, it was impossible, Liam cared for no one but himself and it could sometimes be argued that he cared for Darla.

What William found the hardest was during the daytime. When he and Elizabeth were alone it was wonderful, there was nothing there to distract her and he could just look at her and he would be certain that she was looking right back. But then there were other times when he couldn’t even look at her because he knew all he would see would be her feelings for someone else and that’s even harder to see than simply seeing that she had no feeling for him. He spent so much time away from the house now; everyday he would go somewhere else. Simply to be away from Liam and Elizabeth. He wondered at times what she must think of him, but then passed that thought off knowing he was never around enough for her to properly form an opinion. At least not a very good one of him.

Although he liked Elizabeth a lot he could not interfere with the doomed path that she was on. He could only watch from a distance, cursing because he knew what was going to happen to her he just hoped above all else that he was wrong about Liam this time.
Sitting back down at his desk with the bottle of bourbon on the table in front of him William sat down and got out his note pad and decided to carry on the poetry that he had started at least that would occupy his mind so that it would not dwell on things that could not be changed.

****
Elizabeth had just got back to the kitchen when, as expected, Master Liam’s little bell started to ring. She looked towards Maggie who was staring at her as though she thought Elizabeth had somehow made the bell start to ring.

“Well while I’m standing I may as well go get that, so the rest of you don’t need to get up” Elizabeth headed over and picked up the tray knowing what Angel would want.

“Fine, but how do you know it’s a drink that he’ll want?”

“Just guessing and as you’re always telling me miss Walsh better to be prepared.” With that she turned and headed towards the door. Ignoring willow and Amy’s giggles and knowing glances at each other. That had known for a week now that she liked Angel and that he possibly liked her back.

In the hallway and safe distance away from the kitchen she carefully set down the tray and took out a small bottle of perfume that she had tucked away in the fold of her dress. Her mother had made the scent for her and she always tried to look her best for Angel in the evenings. This was a time just for the two of them. In three days she would be seeing her mother again she would have to remember to ask her for some more as she had gone through it quicker than she would have expected. Although she was enjoying the job that was the part that she was missing the most, only getting one day off a month to go and visit her family.

Splashing a little of the perfume onto her neck she carefully placed the bottle back into the fold of the dress. She then smoothed out her hair to make sure that there were definitely no stray hairs sticking out. She then quietly picked the tray back up and headed up the staircase.

Darla was away this week and so there had been slightly less jobs than was normal as it seemed that Darla liked everything done for her, whereas Master Liam did not mind doing things for himself and Master William was never around to have things done for him. Therefore due to the little less work Elizabeth was slightly less tired this evening and even had a slight bounce in her step.

Reaching Angel’s door she knocked quietly and her heart leapt into her mouth while she waited for a reply even though she had brought him his drink many times before tonight felt different somehow. On hearing the command she gently pushed the door open and stepped into his cosy warm study before shutting the door behind her.

****
A/N: Please now go review!!!!!! The more reviews the faster I write! so please review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First Touch by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Sorry this is a day late... I've been really ill recently. I asked someone else to post it for me but he didn't get chance! So I am really really sorry! Please keep reviewing. It has definately got me writing faster! So please review more.... and let me know if youlike me leaving comments to your comments, its a kinda thank you for leaving me reviews!!!
I'm sorry you are all not liking the BA at the moment.. just have faith in me that Spuffy will happen!
Chapter 7: First Touch

Elizabeth entered the room, Angel sat at his desk writing a letter. He was wearing a simple white cotton shirt that was open slightly showing his muscular chest. Her breath caught in her throat at the sight of him. He looked up from his writing as she entered, and gave her an endearing smile. Elizabeth could feel herself blush at him looking at her, she was sure that no one had every looked at her that way before. His eyes just seemed to radiate devotion and passion. She was sure that she wasn’t falling in love with him because she was already there. This man in front of her, she loved, it was a simple truth and one she found easy to bear.

Angel stood up from the desk and walked slowly over to her. Elizabeth trained her eyes to the floor. She may be in love with him but she was still his servant and that meant servant rules still applied plus she was unsure if her legs would hold her if he was to look into his eyes.

Angel placed his hand gently under her chin then raised her face up to meet his, he smile and gentle removed the tray from her hands placing it carefully on the table behind him without taking his eyes off her.

“Tell me Elizabeth, how is it that you always know exactly what I want before I even ask for it?”

“I don’t know sir, maybe I’m just getting to know you better”

“Or maybe you already know me, and therefore know what it is my hearts desire, every minute of everyday”

Elizabeth stared into his eyes, to see if he meant what he said. He stared back at her with love in his eyes; he could see the same reflected in her own. Slowly he learned down towards her, and caught her lips in a breath-taking kiss. Elizabeth closed her eyes and enjoyed the sensation of his strong arms slipping round her waist as he held her. Slowly she parted her lips and allowed his tongue to enter he mouth. Their tongues slowly danced together. Elizabeth had never kissed anyone like this before, but nothing had ever felt more right to her. Slowly they parted gasping for breath and they looked into each other eyes. Angel never once removing his arms from round her waist. It was Elizabeth that initiated the next kiss. She slowly leaned up and nibbled on his bottom lip before catching them in a tender kiss. Angel in response pulled Elizabeth closer to him. She enjoyed the feeling of being safe in his arms.

Elizabeth’s hand slowly worked down his stomach to the hem of his shirt, she quickly slid her hands under it and started to raise the offending garment off of his body. Suddenly Angel’s arms were no longer round her waist they were holding her hand, stopping its progress at removing the shirt. Elizabeth looked into his eyes confused, had she moved too fast, did he not want her as much as she wanted him.

Angel read the confusion and hurt in her eyes.

“Don’t you want me?”

“More than life itself that’s why I can’t Elizabeth” Angel stepped away from her and Elizabeth suddenly felt a shiver run up her body as cold air rushed to fill the area Angel had just been stood in.

“That’s why I can’t,” he repeated “I love you Elizabeth, but what can I offer you?

We could never really be, you would always be a mistress, and you deserve more than that.”

Turning to the table he poured himself a drink from the tumbler Elizabeth had brought up.

“I’m sorry, but please believe me I never meant to hurt you I do love you, if I wasn’t married to Darla I would propose to you on the spot. You mean so much to me, Elizabeth, please believe me, it’s your honour that I care about”

“I do believe you” Elizabeth tried to still the tears in her eyes, but it was no use one slowly ran down her check. Angel caught it with his thumb.

“I’m sorry Elizabeth, can you forgive me?”

“Of course I forgive you, I better get back to the kitchen, Miss Walsh will wonder where I’ve been”

Angel stepped away giving her room to move. As she was leaving the room he called to her “If you were mine I’d treat you like a queen, wife or not, but like I said you don’t want to be a mistress. Elizabeth? You still my girl?”

“Always” with that she left the room.

As she headed back to the kitchen she contemplated everything and everything that had been said. She didn’t feel as bad as she though she would, Angel had at least admitted that he loved her, and this was for her benefit. He really did care for and that meant everything to her. She imagined that he would treat her like a queen and that they would have been like a fairytale. But true love wasn’t a fairy tale, it was sometimes cruel and unfair, what Elizabeth felt was real. Something would have to be done and soon, Elizabeth couldn’t live with the fact that they loved each other, but couldn’t be together, yes something would have to be done.

Quietly she slipped back into the kitchen, everyone was already sat at the table clearly waiting for her to arrive. As she entered all eyes turned to her, she carefully kept her eyes on the floor as she took her place at the table.

“Sorry I’m late”, but she offered no elaboration as to the reason of her lateness.

Willow looked at her with worried eyes. She could tell something was wrong and she imagined that it had something to do with her last visit to Liam. She knew that Elizabeth would tell her in her own time.

After saying grace Elizabeth stared at the food in front of her, she’d certainly lost her appetite all of a sudden. She picked at it slowly and ate a little, this however did not go unnoticed by Willow.

When everyone had finished eating the meal the usual chatter commenced, Elizabeth stayed silent throughout. Then everyone was put to work getting the house ready for the following day while the masters of the house slept. While mopping the floor in the grand corridor and the men’s smoking room, Willow cornered Elizabeth.

“Ok missy tell me all – what’s wrong?”

Elizabeth put on her best false cheery smile “what do you mean Willow there’s nothing wrong” she gave a bright smile hoping willow would be convinced, obviously she wasn’t.

“Ok so that’s why you went up to Angel’s room looking like, well someone madly in love, and came back down looking like you puppy had just died. Not to mention the fact that you didn’t eat – your not sick are you? Its not cholera is it I hear the symptoms can come on really fast, you haven’t been feeling drowsy or sick or any other symptoms have you” Willow made a big show of starting to feel Elizabeth’s forehead.

“Willow!” Elizabeth giggled causing Willow to look at her and stop her actions mid ramble.
“I’m not sick” she heaved a sigh, “look if I tell you have to promise not to tell anyone” willow nodded, the anticipation of what Elizabeth was about to tell her killing her. “Angel told me he loved me”

Willow started squealing and dancing up and down, Elizabeth looked at her as though she was hyperventilating. Suddenly Willow sobered and looked hard at Elizabeth. “But”

“What?”

“You have but-face,.. you look like your going to say ‘but’”

“Ok so here’s the deal… we kissed” Willow made another little sound – that sounded to Elizabeth like a squeal. “well actually he kissed me then I kissed him” Elizabeth sighed as she remember the feels of his lips on hers.

“But then he stopped, told me he loved me and stop stopped.”

“Ohhhhhhhh did he give a reason for stopping?”

“Said I was worth more then being his mistress”

“Aww, that’s so sweet he really cares about you, ok here’s something I have to know, when angel kissed you … before he stopped… how was it?”

“Unbelievable”

“Ok so you like him and he likes you, yes?” Elizabeth nodded numbly unsure of where willow was going with this

“"Carpe diem. You told me that once."

"Fish of the day?"

"Not 'carp'! Carpe. It means seize the day."

“Right. I think I’m going to. Seize it. Once you get to a certain point, then seizing is sort of inevitable”

“Wow.”

“Yeah.”

“Wow... look you go to bed think about it, I’ll finish here”

“Are you sure Willow? Oh you’re the best” Elizabeth captured willow in a tight bear hug before bouncing down the corridor and disappearing into the servant quarters.
Loss of Innocence by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
A/N: Please be gentle with this chapter! I'm sorry if the last chapter was a little harsh!!! Please all just trust me it will all be ok! And please keep reviewing... reviews make me write faster and therefore post quicker. So if you want to know whats going to happen I need you all to review!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Chapter 8: loss of innocence

Careful not to meet anyone Elizabeth slowly made her way along the servant corridors to her room. As she slipped quietly into her room she shut the door and lit a single candle on her bedside, then slumped onto the bed. Her emotions had been on a wild journey all day. That alone would have exhausted her, but add to it a full day working and Elizabeth felt ready to die. Thoughts of what had happened between her and Angel where mulling around her head, and each time she thought about it she was reminded of her conversation with Willow.

Deciding to sleep on it before making any decisions, Elizabeth slowly peeled herself off her bed. Standing up she delicately took off her shoes then rolled off her stockings. She then took off her apron and dress, hanging it carefully in the wardrobe. She then took off her linen petticoat and laid it gently on her bed. Raising her shift above her head she placed it on top of her petticoat. She then slipped on her simple white cotton nightdress covering her naked form, before the chill night air could hit her. Walking over to the single mirror in the room she took the pins out of her hair, and laid them neatly in a line on the dresser. Her hair, now free from the confines of the tight imprisoning bun, flowed gracefully over her shoulders, shimmering in the candlelight. Picking up the ebony handled brush her mother had given her before leaving home, she brushed out the day’s worth of knots from her hair. Picking up the brown wool shawl her sister had made her from the end of the bed, where she had carelessly thrown it this morning, she wrapped it tightly round her shoulders and bare arms, which had started to goose pimple. She then settled back onto the bed, she stayed on top of the sheets however having no desire to get under the covers as she knew they would provide little warmth.

Knowing sleep would not come even if she tried, Elizabeth simply sat there staring at her toes contemplating everything that had progressed this evening.

She knew Angel loved her as much as she loved him, yet despite that love could anything really ever happen? On the other hand however, would it be so terrible if she did become his mistress? He would treat her well, that she was in no doubt of, and it wouldn’t be illicit or wrong as they loved each other… so she wouldn’t be like a common prostitute. Would anyone even have to know? Sure it wasn’t an ideal situation, and not what she’d dreamt of as a little girl, but nothing was as she dreamed anymore. If no one knew then it wouldn’t tarnish anybodies honour and they could still be together. Here she was, sitting in her bare room considering giving Angel the most precious thing she had. Yet despite everything mulling round her head, all she could really concentrate on was how she loved him and wanted him.

While sat there she heard the other members of staff all heading to their own rooms, she idly wondered if any of them had faced the decision she was facing.

Mistress wasn’t that bad a word. Not really. What would it mean? Would she lose her job if people knew? Her mother may be upset until she had explained why, and then she was sure she would understand. Her sister would see it as romantic and her brother… she preferred not to think what Alex would think.

Hearing no more movement outside, Elizabeth assumed everyone had gone to bed now. Glancing at the clock she saw that it was 12.30am.

Getting up from the bed, Elizabeth made up her mind, she loved him, he loved her, mistress was just a word, it didn’t mean that much! She was going to do just what she had she’d told Willow; she was going to seize the moment.

Walking over to the door, she put her ear against the wood, to just check that no one was around. She then quietly slipped out onto the corridor. She paid no mind to the fact that she had nothing on her feet, or that she was dressed only in her nightgown.

The house was eerily quite and it made Elizabeth shiver. As she came to Angels door, her nerves suddenly kicked in. Would he be angry at her for coming back? Would he be asleep? Should she knock or just go in? Should she even be here? Deciding she had come too far to back out now she quietly knocked and then entered the room without waiting for a reply.

Angel was sat in his bed reading, he looked up when he heard his door open, there stood in the doorway was Elizabeth clad in only a thin nightdress. He faked surprise at seeing her.
“Elizabeth what are you doing here?”
“Well I’ve thought about it, a lot actually, and, well, I love you, you love me, so it’s not that wrong, not really. And no one really has to know. So I want to…if you want to that is. You’re not angry at me for coming are you…because I can go if….
“Elizabeth! Elizabeth!” Angel cut her off mid ramble and walked over to stand in front of her, she looked up to see him smiling. “I can’t stop thinking about you. Of course I’m not angry with you. I just want to know that you’re sure and that you don’t feel pressured into doing anything.”
“I love you and I just want the chance to prove that to you… so yes I am sure. I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life before”

Angel kissed her firmly on the lips, then taking her hand he turned his back to her and led her over to the bed. Facing his back she couldn’t see the smug, knowing smirk that had crossed his face. When he turned back to face her however, his face only showed love. Pulling her towards him he kissed her with ferocity and rising passion. Tentatively Elizabeth’s hands reached down for his nightshirt, this time he made no attempt to stop her. Slowly she started to raise his shirt revealing the well-defined muscles underneath. Their lips parted as his shirt was discarded but soon met again in a fierce battle. As Angel reached for the hem of her nightdress her nerves instantly kicked in. Sensing her body tense, Angel leaned down holding her more firmly to him and kissed her more solidly on the lips. When he knew she was calm again he continued getting her nightdress off. As he raised it higher she lifted her arms above her head. Removing the gown Angel threw it behind him, where it landed by the side of the bed. He then took several moments to study the girl in front of him. There she stood in all her naked glory, her bare breasts exposed, her nipples hardening in the cold night air.

Feeling his eyes on her, staring at her, Elizabeth started to feel self-conscious and went to move her hand to cover herself, but found him stopping her. Quickly kissing her again, he turned her until the back of her knees hit the edge of the bed. Slowly he led her down on the bed. Standing back up Angel removed his night trousers while Elizabeth settled herself in the centre of the bed. She never took her eyes off his face for an instance. Slowly he crawled up the bed and up her body. He gently spread her legs revealing herself fully to him. He then carefully nestled himself between her legs and positioned himself at her entrance resting his weight on his arms, she was already wet for him. Leaning down Angel kissed her solidly on the lips, breaking the kiss he looked into her eyes.

“Sure?” Elizabeth could only nod.

He started to kiss her neck, and then with one thrust he sheathed himself in her tight channels. Elizabeth cried out at the sudden pain as he tore through her barrier. Tears flowed down her cheeks; she had no idea it would feel like this.

Angel seemed not to notice the pain he had caused her. As Angel carried on thrusting the pain gave way to a new sensation. It felt like a little ball of energy was growing tighter in her stomach.

As Angel started to thrust harder Elizabeth bucked her hips to meet his thrusts. Taking this as a sign to go faster, Angel started pounding into her faster with shorter strokes, pressing her harder into the bed.

As Angel started kissing her neck again the feeling in her stomach changed, it felt like it had suddenly exploded and a feeling of calm washed over her. Crying out in pleasure Elizabeth clung to Angel raking her nails down his back.

Angel carried on thrusting into her as he felt her walls flutter around him. Seconds later he joined her in blissful release, collapsing onto her. Realising she was struggling to breath with his weight on her, he rolled off her but kept holding her sweaty body to his.

Resting her head on his chest she felt her eyes closing. As she fell asleep on him, Angel moved her damp hair off her neck. Watching her sleep a smug, almost evil smile settled on his face. She was so predictable; tomorrow was going to be fun!

TBC.....

A/N: Like I said please don't hate me... the more you review the faster you'll get the next chapter!
Truth hurts by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Thank you sooo much to everyone who reviewed the last chapter. I want to say a particular big thanks to Mariana for her review.. thank you sweetie, i have made a note of everything you have said.
I can only appologise for the Bangle sex in the last scene, it had to happen. Its definately Spuffy from now on in!!!! Hope you are all still enjoying and all have faith in me that it will get better soon!
Chapter 9: Truth hurts

Elizabeth slowly awoke from a deep pleasant sleep, sitting up she realised she was alone in the grand bed. Looking around she could see that there was no sign of Angel anywhere. Hugging the sheets tight to her bare chest she leaned over the side of the bed to retrieve the nightdress that had been discarded there, all the while fighting back the tears that threatened to surface.

Why wasn’t Angel here, why had he left her? Was she really that bad he couldn’t even stand to be near her when she woke? Glancing over at the grandfather clock that was positioned on the west wall she saw that it was 4.45am, she decided to get back to her room before anyone noticed her absence and it creating too many questions. Slipping her nightdress on she quietly left the room, contemplating where Angel was and why he wasn’t with her.

Elizabeth made it to her room without anyone seeing her. Quietly shutting the door behind her she went and sat on the bed staring out of the little window as the sun rose behind the stable block. She knew Angel loved her just as much as she loved him. There would be a perfectly good reason why he wasn’t here. Yet despite repeating it over and over again in her head she couldn’t shake the feeling of dread that had settled over her.

She must have sat there for at least half an hour just staring, when a timid tap at her door broke her out of her thought. Answering the door she found Willow stood there. Ushering her in they both sat on her bed; Willow immediately noticed that while Elizabeth was still in her nightgown her bed clearly hadn’t been slept in, however she didn’t say anything.

“I wanted to check you were up, everyone else is downstairs but I hadn’t heard any motion coming from your room. So I thought I come and check. There’d be hell to pay if Maggie found you late.”

“Thanks Will, I’m getting up now,” she sounded like a little lost girl.

“Elizabeth are you ok? … Has something happened?”

“No, I’m fine” Willow gave her a dubious look “really I promise” she couldn’t tell her what had happened, she couldn’t tell anyone – what would they think of her? She just needed to talk to Angel. “Go on you go down – I’m coming”

As Willow left the room, Elizabeth sank back onto the bed. Angel would have reason for not being there something important…he wouldn’t just leave her. Making a firm resolution to find him before it tore her apart, she dressed quickly and tied her hair back. She cast one last glance at the sun, which had now risen above the stables, and left the room.


Rushing into the kitchen she found, to her relief, breakfast hadn’t been served yet. She helped set out the plates and then took her place at the table with the rest. When ever anyone looked at her, Elizabeth was sure they could tell, they would know she wasn’t a virgin anymore. Other than her nerves driving her up the wall breakfast was uneventful.

When they had eaten, Elizabeth found that, to her dismay, that it was her week to do the market run. That would mean that it would be Willow and Amy that would be serving Angel his breakfast, and making his bed. The same bed that she had departed from just over an hour ago. Meaning that it would be at least two hours before she could see her Angel.

Quickly leaving the kitchen, Elizabeth went up to her room and changed out of her work dress and into her own. Leaving her hair in a tight bun she picked up her brown shawl again, throwing round her shoulders and tying it tight she left the room.

Entering the kitchen again Elizabeth picked up the basket, small leather pouch with coins in and list that Maggie had left out on the table. She then quietly slipped out the back door of the kitchen.


William watched from the library window as Elizabeth walked up the long drive. She was so beautiful. Watching her more closely it looked like she was carrying the world on her shoulders. He hoped it had nothing to do with peaches. Liam was good at playing the sensitive lad and getting the girls to seduce him, he just thought Elizabeth had more sense than that. Then again it depended on how thickly he applied it. However Elizabeth’s downtrodden look may have nothing to do with Liam, she could just simply be tired and have a lot on her mind. William really hoped that was the case, he didn’t want to see her hurt for a second. Watching her till she was out of sight he then went down to breakfast.


The market was busier than usual, and it took Elizabeth longer to get to and from. Although it was only 9am when she got back to the manor, Elizabeth was exhausted, but then again she hadn’t got much sleep last night. As she entered the kitchen she gave Maggie a run down of the events at the market while helping Tara to put away the items that had been bought. When it was done she went back up to her room and changed back into her uniform. She then headed back to the kitchen to find out her jobs for the day as she made her way down the stairs she prepared herself for seeing Angel.


Maggie kept Elizabeth busy all day getting the house ready for Lady Darla’s return the following day. Therefore it was actually just before the evening meal that she saw Angel again.

Elizabeth had been in the kitchen returning her bucket of water when the bell for the main parlour had rung. As Elizabeth was the only one on the room except for Maggie and Tara, she went to answer it.

As she entered the room Angel was stood by the window. Turning at the sound of the door opening their eyes met for a brief instance before Elizabeth ran over to hug him, realising nobody else was in the room.

Untangling himself from her arms, Angel took a step back from her.

“I was starting to get worried, where were you this morning?”

“I went hunting, it’s best to get there before sunrise”

For the first time since entering the room Elizabeth noticed Angels change in attitude to normal. This change in attitude puzzled Elizabeth, why was he acting different to normal?

“But you didn’t leave me note or anything I was really worried about you.” Elizabeth looked into his face, watching every move he made.

“What? I have to tell you every little thing that I do, its not important Elizabeth...” His voice suddenly gained a malicious edge to it at he looked her squarely in the eye. “Much like you”

Taking steps away from him until she felt herself backed up against the desk that stood by the window. “What?” Elizabeth’s voice was shaky, she felt like her whole world was starting to crumble.

“You heard me, last night was fun nothing to write home about, but I’m sure with a little practice we could change that.”

As he started advancing towards her Elizabeth tried taking another step back, knocking the tea service that sat on the edge of the desk to the floor with a resounding crash. Tripping over the fallen crockery she sunk to the floor, where the tears that had been threatening to fall started to leak down her cheek where they hit her skirt. “W-was it me?” her voice sounded small and weak but she didn’t care she had to know “Was I not good?”

Angel sank to his knees in front of her. With his thumb he wiped away the tears under her eyes, within inches from her body he breathed in her scent. “No you were fine” slowly his hand found her ankle under her dress and started to make its way up her leg over her stockings slowly rising higher and higher. “In fact you were the perfect servant, you served my needs perfectly.” As his hand reached higher on her inner thigh he brought his whole body closer to her so that his mouth was millimetres from her ear, “I know who to call if I ever require service again”

Elizabeth was speechless she couldn’t move as he said these words to her, she was just a servant to him after all, it had all been an act and she had fallen for it. “I love you.”

“Let be honest Elizabeth you didn’t really think anything could ever really happen did you?” seeing the looking in her eyes he laughed “Oh you did! Oh Elizabeth I mean you’re just a servant who was fun to have around for a while, in fact…” Just as he leaned over to kiss her the door opened and William walked into the room, pausing by the door as he took in the scene before him.

As if waking from a dream, Elizabeth pushed Liam away from her and then knelt collecting the broken pieces of the tea set into her apron, keeping her back to William the entire time so that he didn’t see her tear stained face. Once the pieces had been collected she excused herself from the room. As she exited the room she heard Liam call “I’ll ring if I need any service”. Stepping into the hall again away from their eyes Elizabeth ran to her room with the broken china still wrapped in her apron. Once in her room she shut the door behind her where she then sunk to the floor and wept.


William stared at Liam neither making a move. William knew exactly what had happened in this room. He had been heading to the room to await the evening meal when he had heard the crash of the china from the inside. Instead of going straight in, which as he thought about it now maybe would have been the best thing, he had stood outside the door and listened as Liam had revealed his true nature to his angel. At that moment he had felt his heart break for her, she had trusted Liam and he had abused that trust. As William had heard the room go suddenly silent he had chosen that time to enter, and it looked like he had entered at the right time. Though Elizabeth had tried to keep her face hidden he had seen the tears that marred it.

Now he stood, staring at the man that had caused those tears. Giving Liam one last look he coldly said “I guess the ‘Angel’ strikes again” before turning and leaving the room.

TBC......


A/N: I'm sorry if you were all expecting a big fight between Spike and Angel... you know what they say good things come to those who wait! Keep reviewing if you want the next chapter soon!!!!!!! Thank you to everyone whos reading and enjoying this one!!!!
Market run by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone who reviewed my last chapter! I ptomise Angel will get whats coming to him eventually! Plese review.. the more you review the faster you'll get the next chapter!!!!
Chapter 10: Market Run

Willow had noticed Elizabeth’s silence and was starting to get worried about her. That evening when everyone else had gone to bed she slipped into Elizabeth’s room without even knocking. She found her curled up on her bed weeping. Hugging her friend she held her until her tears subsided.

“Oh Willow its horrible, it’s just horrible.”

“What’s wrong Elizabeth? You can tell me.”

Elizabeth looked at Willow through bleary eyes, “It’s A-Angel, he isn’t an angel Willow, he isn’t” With that Elizabeth started to cry again and threw herself on Willow resting her head on her lap. Willow slowly played with Elizabeth’s hair, soothing her. “He said he loved me Willow, he said it and I believed him, but it was all a game. You should have heard the things he said. It was like I was nothing. I meant nothing to him.”

Willow looked at her friend she seemed so small and broken, how could their Angel have done this to her. Sure she had heard rumours of other girls who had worked here, but she had never believed them for a second, how could he really be as those tales portrayed him. But here was Elizabeth, living proof that he did do those things. Willow felt guilty, even though the logical part of her brain told her that there was nothing she could have done to prevent this her gut wasn’t listening. If she had told Elizabeth the rumours she had heard, even if she hadn’t believed them herself this might not have happened, if she hadn’t encouraged Elizabeth to seize the moment or put the idea in her head then maybe, just maybe this wouldn’t have happen. But nothing was going to change this now, what had happened had happen, probably for some reason that would soon identify itself, all Willow could do now was offer some comfort to her friend.

“Oh Elizabeth I’m so sorry, it must have been horrible.”

“I think horrible is still coming. Right now, it's worse. Right now, I'm just trying to keep from dying. He said such horrible things, made it sound like I was nothing but a common prostitute.”

“Oh Elizabeth, your not, don’t believe it for a second. You felt something, and you did nothing wrong, you loved him, and I was sure he loved you back. Therefore you did nothing wrong.” Elizabeth raised her head to look into Willows eyes. “Look you should get some sleep, you don’t want to be tired while working tomorrow you have to walk into the village remember”

“Oh I haven’t forgotten, I’m looking forward for once it will get me away from the Manor for a while.”

“There see, not everything’s doom and gloom.” Elizabeth climbed under the covers and curled up into a little ball. As Willow reached the door she turned back to look at Elizabeth, “Elizabeth, don’t let him beat you. Your stronger than you think, show him that.”

“Thank you Willow. No one told me it would be this hard when I came to work for the Hartley Manor.”

“No one would, they never do. Goodnight Elizabeth.” With that Willow left the room and went into her own.

***
When Elizabeth got up the following morning, after a fitful nights sleep she dressed into her own simply dress, no point getting dressed into her uniform only to change back into her own dress to go to market. She did however tie her hair in its bun; it would save time when she got back. Looking in the mirror her face looked slightly puffy from crying but hopefully it wasn’t too noticeable. With one last glance in the mirror she picked up her shawl and left the room and went down to breakfast.

***
William stood at his library window watching as Elizabeth once again set off up the long drive walking into the village. He didn’t wait till she was out of sight this time he simply turned from the window, strode over to his desk and rung the bell.

Within minutes Willow was entering the room, she kept her eyes on the floor waiting for his order.

“I need my horse saddling up”

Willow looked up. “Would you like to wait till after breakfast sir?”

“No, I ‘d like to go now, I’ll have something to eat when I come back. I’m not sure when that will be so you can tell cook that she doesn’t have to save me anything”

Willow knew that Maggie wouldn’t be happy about that, she hated when people didn’t eat the food she spent time making, but she didn’t say anything. “Will there be anything else sir?”

“No that’s all, could you just make it as quick as possible?”

“Yes sir, I’ll come and inform you when your horse is saddled sir.” With that Willow exited the room and went straight down to break the news to Maggie, she then went to find Oz to tell him the daunting news that he had to saddle up Williams horse. However it was like Spike knew that his master had an important engagement as for one of the first times ever he actual cooperated, and within 10 minutes Willow was knocking on Williams door again to inform him that his horse was ready.

Entering the courtyard he mounted his horse. Riding to the end of the driveway, William could see no sign of Elizabeth anywhere. There were several different ways she could have gone into the village, and he didn’t have a clue which one she would pick. The girl was still a mystery to him, a mystery he was more than willing to spend time trying to unravel. Deciding to make his own way to the village and hopefully see her there, he headed off the quickest way he knew. If luck was on his side it may be the way that she had herself chosen.


As it turned out luck had not been on his side, the route that he had chosen had been waterlogged slowing his horse down considerably, needless to say this had not been the way that Elizabeth had come. When he had finally reached the village Elizabeth had already gotten there. William watched from the shadows as she bought the things that Maggie needed, the spark seemed to have left her. He watched as she talked with the young woman who was running the fruit stall, they seemed to be old friends. William didn’t move from his spot as he watched mesmerised by her as she talked and laughed with the people of the village. They all seemed to know her, yet not one of them noticed her pain.

William was snapped out of his spell as he saw Elizabeth put the last items into her basket and start to head out of the village and back to the manor. Urging his horse he followed the way that she was going.

***
Elizabeth kept her eyes on the floor her mind deep in thought. The chilly morning air was doing nothing to clear her head. As she heard a horse approaching behind her she stepped to the side of the dirt path to let it pass. However as the horse and rider came level with her it slowed, glancing up she saw Master William riding his horse. She didn’t stop walking as he talked to her, neither did she look back up at his face instead kept her eyes trained on the way that she was going.

“Master William is there something that you want?”

“No was just out for a ride. Happened to pass you while I was out.”

“Well if you don’t need anything sir, then will you please excuse me as I really need to get back to the manor.”

“Actual there is something that I need.”

“What is it sir?”

“Well, Elizabeth wasn’t it?” although he knew her name, it had become ingrained in his mind, he wanted a reason, any reason, to get her talking.

“Yes sir my name is Elizabeth, what was it that you wanted?”

“Well I want you to stop.” Doing as she was told, Elizabeth stopped even though she really didn’t have time for this. “Right, now Elizabeth I want you to look at me.” Once again, Elizabeth did as requested, green eyes meeting her dark blue ones. “Not everyone is like Liam love.” Elizabeth saw the truth of his words in his eyes, and was spell bound by it. Snapping out of it she quickly adjusted her eyes back to the track in front of her and carried on walking at a faster pace.

The girl was infuriating, why wouldn’t she just acknowledge the things that she had seen instead of shying away from them. Catching up with her, he leaned down on his horse as she carried on walking making him more face to face with her.

“So pet, you seem to know a lot of the people in the village, how long you lived there?”

“A few years sir.”

“So tell me, what do the people of the village think of Hartley Manor then?
For that matter what does everyone think of the great poof?”

When Elizabeth refused to answer his question and just carried on walking looking straight ahead, William felt his temper start to give, this girl was as annoying as hell. “Well?”

“Its not my place to comment sir.”

“Well I’m giving you permission for it to be your place, come on I won’t tell anyone, it’ll be our little secret.”

Elizabeth felt her temper start to rise as well now, this man was so arrogant, no wonder she hadn’t got to know him better. As she felt his eyes boring into her, she felt all the emotions of the previous day snap. Spinning round she stood perfectly still, eyes flashing red.

“Look, I am not gonna tell you what other people think, if you are really that interested, then go and get off your aristocratic arse and go and find out yourself, instead of sitting there quizzing me, because believe me I do have better things to do!” With that she spun back round and carried on walking again at a quick pace.

William sat stock still on his horse, no one had ever had the nerve to challenge him. Instead of being angry though he just found his interest peeked more. Elizabeth really was a vixen and one he was more than willing to get to know.

“Crap!” Hearing Elizabeth curse, bought another smile to his lips. Elizabeth really was different to any lady he had ever had the pleasure on encountering before.

Trotting up to her he leaned down to look at the flustered blond.

“What is it love?”

Pointing at the cart that was passing, Elizabeth tried to get her words out. “James… blacksmith… here…Maggie’s gonna kill me.”

“Didn’t follow you round that bend pet.”

“Well try listening for a change…that’s James Carlingford the blacksmith, are you keeping up?” when he nodded Elizabeth continued, “He arrives at market the same time everyday… in the whole 18 years he’s been coming to this village he has never once been early or late, you could set your clocks by him. Now if he is here, means I’m late. Thereby Maggie is going. To. Kill. Me. So I really don’t have time to be stood here talking, ok?” she then carried on walking at a fast pace.

“I see your dilemma love.”

Without stopping Elizabeth called over her shoulder “Stop calling me that, I have a name.”

William really liked the fire in this girl. Ridding next to her again he reached out hand to her. “Give me your basket.”

“What?”

“Look don’t argue just give it me.”

Gingerly she handed him her basket. When he had in nestled in front if him he reached his hand down again. “Now give me your hand.”

“Why? What are you doing?”

“Saving your ass, though I’m not exactly sure why.”

As she slipped her hand into his he hauled her up onto the back of his horse. With her arms tightly round his waist he set off at a canter towards the manor.


William stopped in front of the kitchen entrance and carefully helped Elizabeth down. Gently easing her onto her feet before handing her the heavy basket.

“See back safe and sound, no reason for Maggie to kill you.”

With that William turned Spike and trotted off to the stables. Elizabeth stayed glued to the spot as she watched him leave. When he was out of sight she turned and ran into the kitchen, hoping no one had seen her. Her heart was suddenly feeling a little lighter.

TBC....
Rescue by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone who has review... please keep reviewing!!!!! It really is making me write faster. Just want to say a little note to anyone who is worried, Elizabeth is NOT pregnant... I know it should be noted in one of the chapters, and it probably will be eventually but just to put everyones mind at rest she isn't pregnant. I wasn't ignoring the fact that she had had unprotected sex, it just didn't fit in with the plot to have her pregnant. Hope you don't all hate me now!!!!!!!! Please review this chapter!!!!!!
Chapter 11: Rescue

When Elizabeth went to market again on Wednesday, William once again asked for his horse to be saddled and rode off after her.

***

When William called for his horse on Friday as soon as he seen that Elizabeth had left he was surprised when Willow arrived telling him his horse was saddled and ready before he had even asked.

As he set out to go and find her, he started to anticipate his time with her. William was starting to find that she was bringing something out in him. He liked talking to her, hell he even liked arguing with her. It was stimulating just being round her. No one managed to get his blood racing the way she did. He was captivated by her. Whether she felt the same way about him was yet to be seen, however she certainly didn’t mind him knowing her true opinion of things.

As anticipated on Friday, William once again showed up on her walk to and from market. As he the other three days, once she got into the village he disappeared although she had a keen sense that he was watching her.

On Tuesday evening Elizabeth had started to worry, not only had she spoken when it had not been her place to, but she had actually raised her voice to him and insulted him. However when he had shown up on Wednesday he was just as smug and arrogant as ever and her fears of being fired had been laid to rest. It appeared all members of the upper-class where the same, they wouldn’t do anything to sully their good name and obviously to rat her out would mean that he had been out with her, and that would not do well for his name, to have been seen socialising with someone of a lower class.

Of course her traitorous mind kept telling her that if he was so much like the other members of high society, namely Master Liam then why had he helped her in the first place. However Elizabeth refused to listen to that part of her brain, she was sure there would be a very selfish reason for him at the core. No aristocrat ever did anything to benefit others without there being something in it for them. So no Elizabeth wouldn’t listen to the little voice in her head that said he was different, none of them were different, Liam had proved that to her.

However whenever Elizabeth was around William she couldn’t seem to control her temper. She was unsure what it was about him that made her want to ring his neck. Everyday so far she had managed into an argument with him, he just made her blood boil, how was it that one man could be so aggravating? Surely he must be the devil incarnate. What annoyed Elizabeth the most about William was that he asked incisive questions, mainly about her!

Friday had been no different, not that she had really expected it to be. Why he kept showing up Elizabeth didn’t know, neither did she have any urge to find out. Although in fairness he certainly managed to make the daily trek anything but dull. Elizabeth would just have to wait and see what would happen tomorrow as it was her last day on the rota. She had a feeling things were going to change.

***

Willow could see the effect Elizabeth was having on Master William. However after what happened last time Willow wasn’t planning on encouraging it either way. She was staying out of it. However she would be there if Elizabeth needed a friend. Although with the way things were going at the moment there didn’t seemed to be any issue with something happening, for as far as Willow could tell Elizabeth didn’t seem to reciprocate the feelings that Master William clearly had for her. Willow vowed to watch from the sidelines as things progressed. Saying that she had made sure everyday so far that Williams horse had been saddled and ready to go by the time Elizabeth set off. With tomorrow being Elizabeth’s last day to market she’d only have to do it once more.

***

On Saturday morning William once again watched Elizabeth leave, then turned and rang the bell, signalling to Willow that he was ready to go and mount Spike. Willow turned up quicker than expected, however when she poked her head around the door William noticed that she have didn’t have the mischievous grin she usual wore. Instead she looked sombre as though afraid he may shout at her. Ushering her into the room, he wanted to find out what had caused her change in mood.

***

Perhaps Elizabeth had been wrong and Master William was not as predictable as she had first thought. The other days when she had set off for market he had been at her side within minutes, today however she was nearly at the market and there was still no sign of him. Not that it bothered her, or at least that’s what she kept telling herself.

When she was within ten minutes walk of the market she heard someone approaching from behind. Expecting it to be Master William she slowly turned to face him.

“Parker?”

***

William felt like a caged animal, pacing his room as he waited for Red to come back and tell him that Spike had finally stopped playing up and was saddled up and ready to go. Why did his horse have to be so free spirited – of course that was one of the things that he loved about him and why he refused to use any of the other horses that the manor owned. Today however he could personally shoot him for delaying him. Glancing at the clock he realised she’d probably already be at market now. Just then Willow knocked on the door letting him know that Spike had finally co-operated and was ready to go. Flying down the stairs William was in the courtyard within seconds.

***

When Elizabeth had turned she had been surprised to see Parker Abrahams walking towards her.
“Parker”

“Why dear Elizabeth, what a surprise it is to see you here.”

“What do you want Parker?”

“Life’s too short Elizabeth, its about making choices.”

“Oh let me guess, your going to tell me all about my choices. If it has anything to do with you I’m not interested.”

“Don’t be like that Elizabeth, we’ve all made mistakes in the past, it’s ok to make mistakes. But now dear Elizabeth it’s time to make a choice. I want to court you, I think your ready for it.”

Elizabeth could barely contain the laugh that bubbled to the surface. “Me court you? – Parker Abrahams I would rather court one of the Hartleys’ cows than you. Why won’t you get that message and finally leave me alone.”

“Suit yourself Elizabeth, you’ll find that my very generous offer was a one time offer. You maybe shouldn’t have been so quick to disregard me.”

Turning around he then walked off back the way he had come. However as Elizabeth turned back around to face the way she was going she didn’t see Parker duck into the bushes on either side of the path. She carried on oblivious to him watching her.

As always when she reached the small part of the path were the gypsies and beggars took up residence she sped up slightly, all the while saying a silent chant in her head that she was fine, nothing was going to happen. She had to admit she definitely felt safer when William was at her side. Today however she was not fine and something did happen.

As she was passing, making sure not to make eye contact with any of them, one of the men, a rather large butch one about twice the size of Elizabeth, took hold of the basket Elizabeth held firmly in her grip. As Elizabeth was trying to pry the basket out of the mans hands she wasn’t paying attention to her surroundings. So she didn’t notice the two men ho grabbed her arms until it was too late. As they dragged a fighting Elizabeth to the side of the road her basket went flying, landing on the dirt track with a thud scattering the bag of coins.

“Let go of me, Please.”

As they held her still she watched with wide petrified eyes as Parker walked up the path towards her and stopped within an inch of her body.

As Elizabeth tried to lash out at him a ripping sound was heard as the bottom of her skirt ripped, as the man who had been holding her still had been standing on her skirt as she tried to kick Parker and it had caused the bottom to tare. Tears started to blind her vision, she looked around at the gypsies surrounding her.

“Somebody, please help me! Somebody please do something!”

However each just looked at her, then looked down at the ground without making any attempt to stop what was going on. Elizabeth felt her will crumble as sobs wracked her body. Parker she could probably fight off but not without her hands, and she certainly had no chance fighting the large men holding her.

“Please Parker, don’t do this, please, please, please!” Her words became a chant willing him to stop.

“Hush sweet Elizabeth.” Placing his finger on her lips Elizabeth went quiet and stared at him with large scared eyes. “Your quite feisty aren’t you –but don’t worry I can think of better uses for your feistiness - much better uses indeed”

Elizabeth started to whimper again and squirm more. Parker put his hand fully over her mouth silencing any noise, while signally to the two men holding her, both tightened their grip on her arms while backing her up against a nearby tree.

“You’re quite a vixen, Elizabeth Summers. Now listen, I asked you nicely did I not? I did everything right, made it clear I wanted to court you all proper like but you’d have none of it. You will be mine Elizabeth one way or another, I tried to do it the decent way but you wouldn’t accept it – you’re too stubborn for your own good. Well if you won’t take it the proper way it’ll have to be the other way. When your bellies got a little bit of me in it and your giving birth to my son you’ll have to agree to be my wife – either that or be a whore.”

He then learned in to kiss the lips that were still wet from her tears as the gypsy folk around them went about their everyday business.

***

William was riding flat out. He was unsure why he was, he knew Elizabeth would already be at market, however he had a feeling in his gut he couldn’t seem to shift. It was this feeling that was causing him to spur Spike on. As he got further along the path the feeling in his stomach started to intensify. As he got closer to the gypsy camp he saw some commotion going on up the path against one of the trees. Probably just another one of the beggars getting slightly violent wanting money he really should intervene. As he rode closer he suddenly saw a flash of golden hair. His temper broke immediately someone was hurting his Elizabeth. Seeing red he urged Spike up to them, then while still moving he jumped off right behind Parker, his fist were clenched at his sides. He was going to do this man some serious bodily harm for having the audacity to go anywhere near his angel, let lone hurt her.


***

Elizabeth screwed her eyes tightly shut so she couldn’t see what Parker was about to do to her. However she could still feel him. She could feel his smelly breath on her face, his sweaty hands groping at the parts of her uncovered flesh, but mot of all she could feel his weight pressed against her. She kept her eyes tightly closed and just kept chanting, “No please don’t, please, please, don’t do this, William will come soon, please don’t.”

Suddenly she felt his weight lifted from her, it was as though she could breath again. She was too scared however to believe that he had just stopped so refused to open her eyes, that was no doubt what he wanted. The pressure on her arms caused by the men holding her alleviated slightly but they still held her firmly up against the tree. However moments later she felt her whole body go limp as their hold of her broke and she sensed them run past her, something must have stopped them. Opening her eyes she saw a shock of white hair standing over a man who lay huddled on the floor. As her knees finally gave way Elizabeth sank down the tree trunk to the floor, where she sat in a crumpled heap.


William looked up from Parkers semi-conscious form just in time to see Elizabeth slump to the ground. Without a second glance at Parker he placed one more swift kick to his ribs before rushing over to her while Parker writhed about on the floor behind them spitting blood form his bust lip and knocked out tooth.

Looking at Elizabeth, William felt his heart break. There she sat unmoving looking glassed eyed at Parkers beaten body. He should have been here, should have been here to stop it. He thought his Elizabeth had looked broken on Monday, but now he realised that he had been wrong because now her heart and soul were broken too, and it created such an ache in his chest. Crouching down beside her he slightly touched her arm.

“Elizabeth? Love its William. Its over pet, your ok.”

She turned to look at him and William realised her eyes didn’t hold the sparkle they usually did and that thought really scared him. As she blinked he was relieved to know at least she knew who he was.

“There see pet, your ok. Now lets get you to your feet, ok?” William found himself speaking as though to a young child she seemed so fragile now.

As she slowly nodded William held onto her arm and gently helped her to her feet.

Elizabeth knew she must look like a wild banshee, her face was wet with tears, her hair had come lose and was flying wildly and the bottom of her skirt was ripped. She knew she looked indecent but she didn’t care. She allowed William to lead her to his horse.

“Come on pet lets get you back to the manor.” He then started to lift her onto Spike.

“No.”

“No?”

“I can’t go back, not yet. I..I have to go to market.” Fresh tears started to fall down her face. “They can never know William – no one at the manor can know.”

Her sobs tore into him. “Ok pet, you get comfy on ol’ Spike here and we’ll go to market.” Helping her up he then stepped over Parker and went and collected her basket from where it lay on the ground, he then collected the coins that were scattered around.

Handing her the basket, he took hold of the reins and walked next to Spike. Giving the girl his horse, he really was going soft for her!

They walked along in silence for a few minutes before Elizabeth said in a very quiet voice the thing that had been going round his head.

“When we get to the village, you’ll have to let me go round without you.”

“I know love” he knew it would do neither of them any good to be seen socialising with the other. “But don’t worry pet, I won’t be very far and I won’t take my eyes off you.”

Elizabeth’s next words were so quiet William had to strain to hear them, “Thank you.”

They carried on in silence until they reached the outskirts of the village. William helped Elizabeth down, she straightened herself out and heading into the village. True to his word William never once lost sight of her.

Together they walked back to the manor. Neither uttering a word, each lost in thought. William was already formulating a plan on how to get Elizabeth off work the next day.

TBC......

Please please please review!!!!!!!!
Preparing by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone who has reviewed it means a lot to me! this chapter is for the fabulous Bitten... thank you sooo much for everything sweetie, and also for Suzee I hope you enjoy this one hunny, sorry I kept you waiting so long! More Learning Curve would be nice *hint hint*
Chapter 12: Preparing

Elizabeth managed to survive the rest of the day by submerging herself in her work and not allowing herself to think about what had happened that morning. However, when it came to evening Elizabeth couldn’t block out the memories anymore, and as she slept her dreams took over. She dreamt about what had happened, and what would have happened if William hadn’t shown up when he did. She dreamt of all the things she could have done to stop it from ever happening. Her mind replayed every move, every gesture, everything that could have been done differently.

She woke in a cold sweat with tears pouring down her face. Sitting up, she wrapped a blanket round herself and cried whole-heartedly. When she had calmed enough to take deep breaths, she lay back down and pulled her sheets up to her ears, trying to disappear. However, each time she tried to close her eyes, images of Parker assaulted her senses.

Knowing that she wasn’t going to get any sleep, she sat up and lit the single candle next to her. She needed to do something to keep her mind occupied; suddenly she remembered the bible in the draw next to her. Reaching over she snatched it out the drawer. She stayed reading the thin pages until the first golden rays of the newly rising sun reached over the horizon.

Although it was still early she had a strip wash in her little sink, and even though it was her second one in the last 12 hours, she still felt dirty. Deciding to wash her hair in the little sink again, she carefully took it out of the simple plait. Although the water was cold, it would do. As she washed her hair Elizabeth, realised with a little sob that she may never feel clean again - it wouldn’t matter if she scrubbed her skin until it was red raw, she would always feel dirty.

Pinning her wet hair up, Elizabeth dressed quickly to ward off the chill that was starting to creep over her. She knew that due to washing her hair she was late, however she couldn’t seem to muster the energy to care.

Entering the kitchen she found everyone was there, as she had expected, however, Elizabeth was shocked speechless to find Master William stood in the centre of the kitchen talking to Maggie.

As Elizabeth stood stock-still gaping at the scene in front of her like a fish out of water, she realised that the rest of the staff around her were trying to go about their tasks without making it too obvious they were listening. Elizabeth slipped out of her reserve when she heard Master William raise his voice.

“Right then Miss Walsh, I expect that done then.”

“Yes, sir.”

With that, he turned and walked out of the room without glancing at any of the staff. As soon as he was out of sight, everyone turned to look at Maggie.

“I’m sure you all heard, well, we’ll eat and then we will get everything arranged.”

Elizabeth felt very confused. She was sure she was missing something, but realised it was best to sit down and stay quiet instead of drawing attention to the fact that she had been late. Sitting down, she waited until everyone else had sat before she started eating.

When the dishes had been cleaned away everyone stood around the kitchen awaiting instructions from Maggie.

“Daniel, Larry, I would like you two to go and saddle up Master Williams horse into the trap. I know what a beast he can be I don’t expect you back straight away.” With that, Oz and Larry left the kitchen through the side door. “Jonathon, I will need some tomatoes, you will fetch those from the garden.” As Jonathon left, Elizabeth started to feel even more bewildered. “Tara, you will help me prepare.” Tara weakly nodded before turning back to the large sink. “Wesley, would you go and fetch everything that will be needed today.” Wesley then left the kitchen through the servant entrance. Willow, Amy and Elizabeth were left standing in the kitchen looking at Maggie. “As there is still a household to run, Amy you will go and sort out the days attire for Lady Darla and Willow you will go and set the table ready for breakfast.”

“Yes, Miss.”

With that, both girls left the kitchen. Maggie then turned to her chopping board despite the fact that Elizabeth was still stood there.

Feeling even more confused now that everyone else had been given a chore and she hadn’t, Elizabeth decided to go and help Willow in the dining room. As she reached the door, Maggie’s voice rang around the kitchen.

“Where do you think your going, Miss Summers?”

Stunned, Elizabeth spun round to face Maggie. “Well ummmm, you didn’t give me a job, so ummm I thought I would go and assist Willow.” She knew she was stuttering but she couldn’t help it when Maggie had her pinned with her icy stare.

“Did you not hear what Master William was talking about?”

“No ma’am I was… umm, late.” Elizabeth admitted quietly.

A look of thunder crossed Maggie’s face.

“Well, Miss Summers, as I am in a kind mood I will repeat it, but don’t expect tardiness to be taken lightly in the future. Now it appears Master William has arranged a picnic today between some close friends. Though clearly he did not have the decency to tell me this before the actual day. So now we are running round getting everything ready for him. He has asked for you in particular to be his personal maid for the day.” Casting her eyes up and down Elizabeth’s body she muttered, “Though I can’t see why.” Before speaking directly to Elizabeth again, “So I would suggest you go to your room and fix your appearance, as at the moment, with hair like that, you don’t seem fit to be out in public.” She then turned her back on Elizabeth and went back to her chopping board.

Elizabeth quietly left the kitchen, her head buzzing with unanswered questions. Why had he chosen her? Didn’t he realise that she wasn’t really in the right state of mind to be the perfect servant for the day.

Elizabeth spent five minutes fixing her hair. She took down her roughly constructed bun and let the ringlets frame her face. Then picking up a handful of hairpins off the dresser, she re -pinned her now dry hair back up, this time making the bun much tighter and more secure. She then smoothed down the few creases in her dress before sponging the few marks on her apron. She vowed to wash it properly before she went to bed.

Casting one last look at her appearance in the small mirror, she went back down to the kitchen. She saw a large picnic basket sat on the table. The basket seemed to be quite full and had a blue blanket spread across the contents. There seemed to be a smaller basket next to it that had bottles sticking out of the top. Seeing Maggie put another bottle into the basket, Elizabeth tried to stand a little straighter.

“Elizabeth, ahh, I see you were able to locate your hair brush this time. Now, I don’t have time to inform you of the contents of the baskets, as Master William is insisting that he leaves soon, so you’ll find out what is in them when you unpack them. Now, listen to me very carefully, Miss Summers, I’ll make no secret of the fact that I don’t believe you are the best for this job, Miss Rosenberg would have been much better suited, however it was you - whom Master William specifically asked for. If, however, you take one step out of line, or do anything that would reflect badly on the household, as remember you are representing us all today, you will be out of work so quick you won’t have chance to breath. Do I make myself quite clear?”

“Yes, Miss Walsh.” Elizabeth was loathed to admit it but she was actually quite intimidated. She was saved from further lecturing when Oz and Larry re-entered the kitchen. Maggie turned to look at them.

“I take it everything is ready to go?” Maggie asked and Oz nodded solemnly, “Good, Daniel and Larry could you two go and secure the baskets.” Oz nodded once before picking up one of the baskets, while Larry picked up the other, slightly heavier, one. They both then left the way they had come in. “Elizabeth, would you go up to master Williams library and inform him everything is ready to go.”

Knowing it was a statement and not a request, Elizabeth nodded and left the room.

When Elizabeth reached the room she knocked quietly on the door. When there was no reply, she tried knocking a little harder. By the fourth knock when there had still been no reply, Elizabeth decided to go against every servant rule and entered the room.

Entering, Elizabeth glanced around the grand room, but there was no sign of William anywhere in the room. Deciding that he would probably be back shortly as this had been the place that Maggie had said to find him, she decided to wait, at least for a few moments anyway.

As Elizabeth took a proper look around, she was in awe. The room was magnificent. Stepping over to one of the stacks, she ran her fingers along the spines of the books. Reading the titles, she gazed longingly at them. If only she could have one, just one that’s all she would ask. Checking that there was no one around, she slipped one of the books off the shelf, running her fingers over the gold lettering. As she opened the book it creaked its protest slightly, however, Elizabeth could tell from the pages that it had clearly been well read. Lifting it to her nose, she took in the smell. She loved the smell of books, it told you so much about their history - it was Mr Giles who had taught her that. Savouring the smell, she read the first pages.

Elizabeth was so engrossed in reading the first few pages that she didn’t notice Master William approaching behind her.

As he placed his hand on her shoulder, Elizabeth spun around with a gasp and nearly dropped the book she held in her hand. She looked at Master William with large scared eyes.

“Ummm Master William, I was ummmm…”

William placed a finger on her lips, cutting her off mid ramble. “I see you found me, Miss Summers. I take it the carriage is ready?” when he gave her a shy smile, Elizabeth could only nod. “Ahh, good shall, we go then?”

Elizabeth nodded again, still clutching the book to her chest. William slowly extracted the book from her arms and read the cover. “Oh, an excellent choice, Pet, I will definitely enjoy that one today.” Handing it back to her he turned and started walking out of the room before calling over his shoulder. “Are you coming love, and don’t forget the book?”

Dumbfounded, all Elizabeth could do was mutely follow him out of the room and down to the waiting carriage.

William stopped dead in front of the carriage causing Elizabeth to nearly run into him. Sat at the front of the carriage holding the reins was a very short looking Oz.

“Osborne, what are you doing here?”

“Miss Walsh told me I was to be your chauffer for the day sir.” Oz bowed his head but did not step down.

“I made it quite clear to Miss Walsh that I needed no such thing, therefore skidadle.”

Climbing down from the reins, Oz said a very curt “Yes, Sir.” Before walking off to the kitchen. Climbing up to the reins himself, William watched Elizabeth closely. She hadn’t moved a muscle and it was clear she was unsure what to do. He realised she hadn’t been in this situation before.

As the perfect servant, she was expected to sit up at the reins, but that would mean sitting next to him and would that be considered wrong, or was she suppose to sit inside like royalty.

Taking pity on her, William directed her to go and sit in the carriage. Silently she did so. There she sat with the book clutched on her lap as they slowly set off, both considering what the day would hold.

TBC......

Please now all go review!!!!!
Picnic by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter, a special big thanks to Suzee! Your such a sweetie! Sorry this chapter is a day late, I was busy helping with the Tales Of The Slayer Awards! If I don't get chance to post on wednesday I'll appologise in advance now! Lifes a big hectic here at the moment!!!! Anyhoo I'll let you all get on reading now.. hope you enjoy this chapter and please leave me a pwetty review that makes me smile when I read them in the morning!!!
Chapter 13: Picnic

They rode in silence for 30 minutes, Elizabeth playing with the book in her lap while looking down at the floor of the carriage. She absentmindedly started to dog-ear the pages. Glancing up, she saw William sitting poised on the drivers seat, his back straight while his eyes never ventured off the road ahead. Looking round at her surroundings as they travelled, Elizabeth realised she didn’t know were they where, and that she had no recollection of being here before. There were trees on every side and she was sure she could hear running water nearby, though she couldn’t see it and she was unsure of where the sound was coming from.

As they turned down a smaller county lane the trees started to part, leading to a small clearing where the grass was lush and a river flowed. The sun managed to break through the over hanging trees just enough to light the patch of grass, giving the place a magical feel.

Elizabeth gazed around the enchanting area in awe. It was only as they pulled up to a stop and William climbed down from the front of the carriage that she realised they were the only two there. As he took her hand and helped her down, she suddenly felt very nervous.

“Master William, if I may be so bold, may I ask when you friends will be joining us?”

“Ahhh, pet, that’s the thing, they aren’t actually coming.” William ducked his head in shame. It wasn’t that he was trying to hide it from her; he was just unsure how she would take it. He was worried that she would see it as he had led her here on false pretences.

“But, Master William, what do you mean? Why are we here then? Will you tell me that?” Elizabeth knew she shouldn’t be asking so many questions, she was a servant and it wasn’t her place to question his motives. However, she was just so confused as to why he had done this that she wanted answers to alleviate some of the confusion. The main question that was buzzing round her head was did he expect something from her? Is that why he wanted her alone? She was sure he must know what had happened between Angel and herself, and then he had seen what had nearly happened with Parker. Did he think she was like other girls in the village?

William sensed her tensing as though she was fighting an inner conflict. He reached his hand out to touch her arm, but on seeing her tense even further he stepped back quickly, withdrawing it and letting it hang loosely at his side.

“Look, love, I know this may seem odd, and I’m sorry if you feel like I lied to you. Believe me that was not my intention.”

Seeing the innocent pleading look in his eyes, Elizabeth stepped forward to where she had originally stood.

“May I ask then sir, what was your intention?”

“Well, pet, isn’t it obvious?” he asked and Elizabeth simply shook her head. “I wanted to give you what you deserve.”

Elizabeth eyes grew wide. Could he really mean what she thought he meant? Was he going to finish what Parker started?

“No, pet, nothing like that. You deserve a day off, a day away from the manor, a day where you don’t have to be the perfect servant.”

“But, sir…”

“Shhhh, you don’t need to stay anything, you don’t have to act like a perfect servant round me, love.”

“But, Master William, why did you tell Maggie… I mean, Miss Walsh, that you where having a picnic with friends?”

“Well, love, it was the only way I could guarantee that you would be allowed the day off without your wages being docked. If they think you are working then they can’t say anything about it, and they can’t and won’t say no to me. So, like I said, it was the only way I could think of to definitely get you away from the manor. I’m sorry if you feel betrayed by me for not telling you the truth straight away. Plus we get nice food this way.”

Elizabeth was gob smacked. He had done all this for her. She really didn’t know what to say. She gazed around the place before finally letting her eyes come to rest on William again.

“This place is wonderful, sir.”

“I found it a few years back, it became my own private sanctuary, and no one ever comes here. It’s brilliant if you want some time alone. This is the first time I’ve ever brought someone here.”

“Oh.”

“Now, if you want me to go, I will do. You can have the time alone. I’ll come and pick you up when its time to go.”

As he turned to climb back into the carriage, he felt Elizabeth lightly put her hand on his arm. The touch was feather light but William felt it anyway. It felt as though his whole arm had heated right through.

“No, Master William, stay… please?”

Seeing the longing in her eyes for company, he silently nodded before going to the back of the carriage and removing the baskets. He then chose the perfect spot and went and laid the blanket on the grass, before sprawling himself upon it.

Elizabeth timidly followed and set herself down carefully, perching at the corner of the blanket near his feet.

As she sat there watching the river flow and the butterflies flutter around, she realised she was still clutching the book that he had told her to take from his library.

She turned round to face William, who was laid on his back with his arms behind his head, his eyes where shut serenely.

“Umm, Master William?” she started and he opened one eye to look at her. “Here is the book you asked me to bring, sir.” She placed it on the blanket and pushed it toward him.

In response, he pushed it back to her. “Keep it for yourself, pet, call it a gift. I’m guessing you don’t have much in the way of reading material.” Elizabeth shook her head sadly. “Well now you do. I have to say you did choose well, it is one of my favourites. I must know every word of that book off by heart; I’ve read it that many times. I just hope you enjoy it as much as I did.”

Elizabeth suddenly felt awkward again. He had shown her such kindness towards her, how was she supposed to react in return? Was she supposed to do something for him? She looked down at the book, which was mere inches from her thigh, as though it was a foreign object. She wanted nothing more than to pick it up and read it, absorbing its words, but she was unsure whether that would be considered prudent or not. Instead, she settled for staring glassy eyed at it as though it may bite her. Without looking up, she uttered so quietly it could barely be heard above the faint breeze.

“Thank you, Master William.”

Sensing her subtle change in mood, William quickly made a big show of changing the subject. “Well then, I suppose we should see what treats Maggie has packed for us.”

Elizabeth was shocked out of her thoughts when he spoke; she was slightly more surprised than when she heard him call Miss Walsh by her christened name. It was unusual, to say the least, to hear a master of the house call her anything but Miss Walsh or Cook.

Reaching over, William gently placed it on the blanket between them, before delving in. Pulling out one of the bottles and two wine glasses, he handed one of the glasses to Elizabeth.

“Would you like some wine, pet?”

Elizabeth, who had developed a very dry throat when he had given her the book, readily accepted. William filled her glass to the top before pouring himself one.

“Thank you Master, William.”

Despite thanking him, she still wouldn’t look him in the eye. He realised that that was because she still saw herself as the servant and himself the master. William knew exactly how he was going to change that.

“Ok, love, here’s the thing – no more of this ‘sir’ or ‘Master William’ bollocks. Why can’t we just be William and Elizabeth, two people who know each other enjoying lunch?”

Elizabeth looked at him as though he was crazy. “No, sir, we couldn’t, it wouldn’t be right.” As she looked at him though wide eyes, William couldn’t work out what could be so wrong about it.

“It’s not like anyone’s going to see or hear, love, so what’s the big problem?”

“We just can’t, sir.” Elizabeth then turned away from his prying eyes.

“Ok love, fair enough.” Thinking she had won, Elizabeth started to relax again. However, this state of relaxation was not to last as it was broken as soon as William spoke again.

“Well then, love, if you won’t let us have our own names then we will just have to make up new names. Names that are for us alone for when we are together… so we are no longer of different social standing, we are equal.” He smiled when all Elizabeth could do was stare at him as though he had grown an extra head. “Well then love what do you wish to be called?”

Elizabeth tried to answer him, and tell him how very wrong this idea was, however no sound would come out She just looked like a fish out of water with her mouth opening and closing.

“Ok, I’ll go first then… you can call me… Spike.”

“Spike?!” Elizabeth couldn’t keep the surprise from her voice.

“What’s wrong with the name Spike?”

“Spike? You actually want to be called Spike? You want to be named after your horse?”

“Hey, it’s a bloody brilliant horse is that!”

“Fair enough 'Spike' whatever you say.” A large grin was firmly in place of Elizabeth face.

Realising his plan to make her more comfortable was working he decided to push on and get a name from her. “Well then, love, what do you wish to be called?”

“Well there is one name… but you’ll just laugh at me.” Ducking her head shyly, she suddenly found the hem of her skirt very interesting.

“Cross my heart love, I won’t laugh. It can’t be worse than being called Spike.”

Very quietly, Elizabeth uttered a single word, “Buffy.”

“Buffy?!” Spike couldn’t contain the laugh that bubbled forth.

“Hey! You said you wouldn’t laugh! It’s what I get called at home, my little sister Dawn could couldn’t say Elizabeth when she was younger, it always came out as ‘elizabuffffy’, so that’s how I got the name Buffy, it was easier for her to say, and now it has just kind of stuck.”

Spike was in awe watching her; her whole face seemed to light up when she talked of her family. “Fair enough then, pet, Buffy it is!” he then delved in the basket and handed her a bread roll. “So tell me more about your family, pet.”

“There isn’t much to tell really. I have a mother, a sister, and a brother and my brother’s wife.”

“No father?” As she suddenly went quiet, he realised that it was maybe a sore subject and decided not to push. He had only just gained her trust; he wasn’t ready to lose it already. She would tell him in her own time he was sure. Deciding to quickly change the subject, he latched on to what she had said earlier. “You said you had a sister, younger I assume?”

Buffy’s whole face suddenly lit up again as though her sister was stood in front of her right then. “Yeah, Dawnie, she’s five years younger than me. She can be a real pain at times, but then what family can’t?”

“Does she look like you?”

“No! She’s taller for a start, really points out what a short person I am, and she has dark hair. She is totally different. Sometimes I wonder if she really is my sister. You won’t find any similarities between us.”

It didn’t go unnoticed by Spike that she had assumed they would someday meet.

“That’s enough about my family, what about you? What don’t I know about the elusive Spike?”

“That’s a tricky question, love. Well, you have already met the folks, so that’s one embarrassment over with. There really isn’t much to tell you about me. Sorry to disappoint you, pet.”

Buffy felt completely at ease with this man. She was enjoying the freedom he was giving her and was not willing for him to get out of his question that easily. Remembering something that Willow has said, she decided to be brave and ask.

“Who’s Drusilla?”

TBC…..
Past explored. by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Hi everyone! I'm posting this one now, but I have to appologise in advance, I won't be able to update for at least another week, and thats beening optomistic, so if it gets to a week and a half I appologise sooo much. I don't want anyone thinking I have forgotten you all or lost my drive for this fic... I promise it will get completed, I have the next few chaps wrote up don't worry! So I promise it will get updated just bare with me... everything here is very very hectic. I'm sorry everyone! Hope you enjoy this chapter! more is on its way.
Chapter 14: Past explored

“Who’s Drusilla?”

Spike felt his mouth go dry and his head snapped up to look at her. He wasn’t naive enough to think she hadn’t heard the name, yet in the same respect he wasn’t prepared for her to come right out and ask him.

“She’s someone from my past.”

Buffy could see that he was unprepared for her to ask that, and although she could see that he had shut himself off at the reminder of her name, she was intrigued as to why. What had this person done to hurt him?

Buffy was determined to find out.

“Tell me about her… please?”

Spike heaved a sigh – he knew she wouldn’t let it rest until he told her.

“There isn’t much to tell, really.” He repeated her earlier words, which had the intended affect of getting a smile from her. “Drusilla was my fiancée.”

Buffy was shocked. She had heard the name in connection with William, but she would never have thought they had been engaged. “Tell me what happened?”

“Drusilla Emerson.” Spike shut his eyes as though envisioning her stood in front of them, opening his eyes slowing he looked over at Buffy. “I’m sure you have heard her name.”

Buffy nodded. It was true she had heard her name before but that was as far as it went, she didn’t know the history between the two or anything else about her really except for her name, and her position in society.

“Yeah, well, very high up in society she was, the perfect catch. Liam kept pushing me to woo her – course I’d never met her, I’m not right likely going to go and propose to some bint I’ve never met now am I? When we actually did meet I was prepared for everything except for actually falling in love with her. Hit me like an 8-horse carriage did that one. Dru was my dark beauty; she completely stole my heart. We courted and I proposed.”

Buffy felt a tinge of … well she was unsure what she felt, she was sure it couldn’t be jealousy for the way he talked about Drusilla.

“Well, it turned out that she wanted to have her cake and to eat it. Although she had chosen me, and before you say anything, yes I think she loved me, but as I was saying, it seemed that although she had chosen me she was still having her pleasures satisfied by every other would be suitor. When I found out I was forced to do what any other man of upper class society would do - I had to break of the engagement. I tell you now though: I would have done anything to keep her mine. I didn’t give a bugger to what society thought, but I was forced to let her go, even though she was never really mine anyway. Tore my heart out it did when she left.”

Buffy felt such strong compassion towards him that she found herself moving across the blanket getting closer to him. She placed her hand gently on his knee. She just wanted to show some form of comfort. She hated what Drusilla had done to him, how much she had hurt him, it wasn’t right. If she ever saw her, Buffy knew she wouldn’t hesitate to give the little strumpet a piece of her mind.

“Where is she now?”

Spike took a large gulp of his wine before looking at Buffy again. “Well that’s a tricky question love, the thing about Drusilla is she’s a complete sack of hammers.” Noticing Buffy’s bemused look he decided to elaborate, “What I mean is she’s crazy.
Now when we were together I was that scared of losing her I managed to keep it hidden from everyone, through sheer effort I might add, but still nobody knew. When I broke off the engagement however, and she was no longer my fiancée, which meant I could no longer protect her. The whole village found out, accused her of being a witch they did, wanted to see her hang for it as well. Turns out though Dru has friends in high places, though I’m in no doubt now she would probably have done something to repay the services, anyway the Mayor stepped in and all charges where dropped. I think some members of the village still think she’s a witch despite what good ol’ Richard says. But as for your original question of where she is now, to be honest I haven’t a clue. Good old daddy shipped her off, she’s no doubt somewhere now doing it all over again.” Buffy noticed the slight note of distain in his voice but didn’t mention it. “I’m sure we will all no doubt see her again, but only when the time is perfect for her.”

Sliding closer to him, Buffy refilled the now empty glass of wine in his hand. She felt sorry for him but she knew he wouldn’t be the type to want her sympathy. So instead she settled for offering some form of comfort.

As she got closer to him, Spike closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, her scent filling his nostrils. He loved the way she smelt, it was like heaven. He’d opened up to her yet he hasn’t felt her shy away. She seemed to know him inside out, even if she didn’t know that yet. She knew what he’d need and knew what he wanted.

As she placed her head her head on his shoulder, Buffy felt compelled to ask one question, though she knew she’d regret knowing the answer. However, she refused to let her heart dwell on why the answer would bother her.

“Do you still love her?”

Spike opened his eyes and looked at her, his head and his heart where reeling. He had always been so sure that he still loved Drusilla, and that he always would. Yet now this girl next to him had come along and thrown his whole world into question. Now he wasn’t sure of anything anymore.

“Yes and no. If I’m honest I think a part of my heart will always belong to her. But am I still in love with her? Do I still love her with the same intensity? No. I may never forgive Dru for what she did, for what she put me through. But at the same time I may always love her. Doesn’t mean I can’t love other people.” Spike looked pointedly at Buffy as he said the last bit, however Buffy was playing with the edge of the blanket so he wouldn’t see the hurt look on her face and she missed his look.

Seeing her mood damped, Spike decided to change the topic. “Ok well I think that’s enough talk of such a sour matter. I say we eat, no point letting Maggie’s good food go to waste.”

Placing all the food in front of them, Buffy picked up a few items and started to delicately eat them. Spike watched her with humour as she tried to eat in a lady like manner despite the fact that he had heard her stomach rumble several times while he had been setting the food up.

As she heard him chuckle, her head snapped up to look at him. She couldn’t understand why he’d been laughing at her; she was making a concerted effort not to eat like she usually did. She wanted to prove she could still be a lady, just like the ladies he would be used to dining around.

“What?”

“Love, you don’t have to eat like a mouse – there’s too much food here anyway, you may as well eat as much as you can. I highly doubt Maggie feeds you all as well as this.”

Buffy gave a slight embarrassed smile, but didn’t need to be told twice and gladly dived in.

Spike watched in amazement as she ate as if her life depended on it. He noticed that she kept playing with the pins in her hair. As she ate, Spike leaned over. Buffy immediately tensed up, however he simply pulled the unruly pin out of her tight bun.

Her hair immediately loosened, Buffy looked at him in confusion as he placed the pin next to him before leaning over and gently taking another pin and letting more of her hair fall gracefully down.

“You don’t need to be so prim and proper- you’re not a servant today love.”

Timidly, Buffy took out each pin and placed them all next to her. Her hair caught the breeze and fluttered round her face, glowing golden under then sun. Truth be told she was glad her hair had been let free from the tight restrictions of the bun, however in doing so she felt slightly uncouth.

“Much better, pet. You hair looks freer now; it’s a bit harsh when it’s up so tight.”

“Kind of have to, what with working and everything. Luckily we don’t have to wear those silly caps I’ve heard most households have. When I’m not working though I usually wear it down, I don’t care if it makes me look common.”

“Trust me, love, makes you look anything but common, you’re resplendent, you glow.”

“Thank you, Spike – you’re very good on my very bruised self- esteem.”

He didn’t ask her to elaborate on that, he just left the statement hanging.

Starting to fully relax, Buffy took off her starched apron as well, laying it carefully on the blanket.

As the mask of servant Elizabeth started to slip away, Spike got his first glimpse of the real Buffy. The Buffy that was full of life and not weighed down by the bad choices she had made - she seemed free.

She let herself relax with Spike while talking about everyday things such as family and hobbies, and suddenly she realised that this seemed to be the start of something special and for once, she wasn’t scared about facing it.

TBC….
Rise and Fall by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
I am really really really sorry this has taken so long to update... Feel free to all hate me!!!! It has just all been so majorly hectic here! However I am back on track, I haven't lost my must to write this one or anything.. infact I have numerous chapters wrote up in advance! I promise I'll be back to posting twice a week!!!!!! I hope you all like this one!
Chapter 15: Rise and fall

Elizabeth felt relaxed and calm the next day as she got back on with her chores. It was strange how just spending one day with William had effectively given her the strength inside herself to cope with all the things she had to deal with. As she thought back to their day yesterday, where they had just laid in the sun talking about inconsequential things, she realised that with her new strength and resolve she felt as though she could face even Liam’s malicious comments, which she knew would be tossed her way today just like they where every other day. William was so different from Liam his personality, his passions - Elizabeth didn’t think it was possible to get two people less alike.

They had arrived back at the manor at about 4 o’clock. Willow had immediately cornered her, demanding to know everything, yet for some reason Elizabeth didn’t feel inclined to share. She wanted to keep what was between herself and William between herself and William. She had told Willow that it had been a dull picnic and his friends had been equally dull, and that she had sat at the sidelines. She immediately felt bad for lying to Willow but she wouldn’t change her decision, what herself and William had shared was special and she didn’t want to cheapen it by telling others.

The thing Elizabeth felt terrible about above all else was being dishonest to William. He had told her everything, shared everything with her, but she had held back the truth about herself. She hadn’t told him who she really was and that was eating her up inside.

But she knew she couldn’t really tell him. If she did then everything would change. Therefore, she made a firmly resolved to tell nobody the truth about little Buffy Summers.

As she was carrying a large amount of wood to one of the main rooms to light the grand fire, she quite literally ran into Amy who knocked her out of her reverie. Amy had a large smile on her face, which puzzled Elizabeth - Amy never seemed happy while working.

“Oh sorry, Elizabeth, I really should try watching where I’m going.” Bending down, Amy picked up the log that had fallen off the top of the pile.

“Its ok, Amy, no harm done. To be honest I wasn’t watching where I was going either. What’s made you all happy this morning any way?”

“Haven’t you seen Willow?”

“No, not since breakfast. Maggie has kept me really busy, I don’t think she liked me being away from the manor yesterday. So tell me what’s happened?” Elizabeth’s heart started thumping in her chest, she really hoped it had nothing to do with Willow – Amy had always seemed slightly bitter towards Willow’s good rapport with Maggie. Elizabeth was sure that Amy would much rather be in Willow’s place.

“Well I really should wait for Willow to tell you, it is her news after all.”

Elizabeth felt her heart leap into her throat; Willow couldn’t be leaving could she? She’d become Elizabeth’s best friend; she couldn’t just leave her here alone. This just made Elizabeth feel even worse about not telling Willow everything. She was that caught up in her thoughts that she hadn’t realised Amy was still talking.

“…Well let’s just say… the Chase’s finally got what was coming to them.”

Elizabeth relaxed lightly on hearing that. That was until her head told her that could mean Willow was going to work at the Chase manor. Last week she had heard the Chase’s had been looking for a new servant.

Telling Amy she really had to get on, she quickly hurried to the main day room and placed the logs down in the basket next to the fire ready for the evening. She then made a firm resolve to go find Willow and try to convince her to stay - even if convincing her meant telling her about herself and William.

As it had been the day after she had slept with Liam, luck was clearly not on her side when it came to finding someone. She had briefly run into Willow about an hour after talking with Amy however Maggie had quickly pulled them both away and they hadn’t had a chance to talk. She had tried to assess her mood, to try to work out if she seemed like she was leaving, however the meeting had been that brief it had been nigh on impossible. According to the main clock in the hall, it was now 3.45pm and she still hadn’t seen Willow.

All afternoon her mind had dwelled on the thought of Willow leaving, and she was now near hysterical about it. Even a brief meeting with William hadn’t managed to alleviate any tension. Despite him being his usual charming self.

Realising there was little chance she would see her before the evening meal she finally gave up hope and quietly slipped into the servant corridor so she could carry on with the rest of her jobs. However, on entering the corridor she saw stood up ahead, as though a mirage was Willow.

Running up to her, Elizabeth enveloped her in a big hug, shocking Willow.

“Oh, ok this is nice, I love you, too. Oh, ok, Elizabeth what have I done… Ok oxygen becoming an issue now.”

Elizabeth quickly let her go, smoothing down her apron before looking at Willow.

“Sorry, Will.” Elizabeth looked down sheepishly.

“Its ok, but what have I done to deserve the hug treatment?”

“Oh, Willow, you can’t leave. I don’t care if they are paying you more or have offered you loads of benefits, you can’t leave here. You can’t leave me; I have so much to tell you. I lied about yesterday, you were right, his friends weren’t there; it was just the two of us. I’m really sorry I didn’t tell you, please don’t leave, Willow, please?” Elizabeth finally looked at her, her eyes pleading with Willow to stay.

“Ok back up a few spaces. First, I knew something happened yesterday, you were all happy, which can I say is really good. I love when you are all smiley. Second… What? What do you mean I’m leaving? I’m not going anywhere.”

“But… But Amy said.”

“Wait, what did Amy say?”

“She said you had some big news to tell me, and that the Chase’s have got what was coming to them, and I know that they are looking for a new maid. And well I guess I put two and two together.”

Willow looked at her before bursting out laughing. Bending over holding her side, she looked up and saw Elizabeth’s hurt look. “Sorry, it’s just that its really funny… no, I’m not going anywhere, rest assured.”

“Well, what’s your big news then if it’s not that you are leaving?” Elizabeth felt slightly silly for jumping to conclusions, however now that the relief had hit her that Willow wasn’t leaving she was curious as to what her news actually was.

“I’m afraid after your drama my little news will seem inconsequential. Are you sure you still want to here it?” At Elizabeth’s nod Willow continued. “Well I heard it while I was in the village. The whole village is buzzing about it. Apparently, the Chase’s are having financial problems. You see, whereas the Hartley Manor fortunes are from centuries of aristocracy the Chase’s money comes from business and investment. Apparently Mr Chase has made a few too many bad business decisions and the debt collectors have come collecting.” Willow’s eyes twinkled with mischief as though it had been she who had caused them to become bankrupt.

“What does this mean for them then?”

“It means that the entire Chase family are now totally penniless. Do you want to know makes it all the more satisfying? – Poor little princess Cordelia, who hasn’t worked a day in her life, has to find a job! Rumour has it that Angel; our very own Angel has his eye on hiring her as the new scullery maid. I think it’s a sort of favour to Mr Chase as no one’s really going to hire her. It means that now we get to boss her around. There’ll be no more looking at us as though we are below her. Payback is such a bitch!”

Elizabeth had flinched at the nick name of her ex-love however had quickly recovered. Willow had been calling Master Liam that for years it was probably just second nature to her and she probably didn’t even realise she was doing it. Therefore she quickly shook off the goose bumps the memory of Angel had brought and turned back to Willow smiling.

If Elizabeth was truly honest with herself, she felt sorry for Cordelia, and wouldn’t be quick to judge her past behaviour. If Willow knew Elizabeth’s past she also may not be as quick to judge, but it was simply not the way Willow had been brought up. Therefore, Elizabeth bit her tongue and joined in with Willow with the gloating.

“It will be so fun – we could make her do all the jobs we don’t want to!”

“Exactly … now we should head back to the kitchen else Maggie will start to wonder what’s taking us both so long.”

Hooking her arm though Elizabeth’s, Willow led them back to the kitchens to see what further orders Maggie would have for them. “So then Missy are you gonna spill with all the details about yesterday or am I going to have to force it out of you… the anticipation is killing me here!”

Elizabeth’s laughter filled the tiny corridor as she revealed every minute detail of the day before.


***
William was unsure what was going on with Elizabeth. After yesterday he had really thought that they were getting somewhere, that they were finally relaxed in each other’s company. However today she seemed to have reverted to how they had been. She seemed distant and closed off. Maybe it was the disappearance of Spike and Buffy. He figure that maybe she didn’t feel safe being herself when wearing the mantle of Elizabeth. But whatever the reason it really confused the hell out of him, he really had thought that they had made progress the day before. He hoped she had just been pre-occupied today and there wasn’t actually anything wrong.

He mulled the thought over in his head as he headed down to the day room where lady Darla had requested his presence. As he entered the day room he just stood there stock still staring at the girl in front of him.

Looking up, the blonde sat on the chaise lounge glanced up at William before her whole face lit up with joy.

“Oh my little blondie bear… Lady Darla said you wouldn’t keep me waiting long.”

“Harmony…..?”

tbc......
Jealousies by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
First off I big thank you to the people who reviewed the last chapter.. it means a lot to me!!!
Secondly, I appologise if people don't like how Spike acts in this chapter.. just have faith in me please!
Please all keep reviewing everyone!!!!!!!
Chapter 16: Jealousies

As Willow and Elizabeth entered the kitchen the rumours where confirmed. There sat at the kitchen table was a very drawn looking Cordelia. Her once luscious locks where tied back, revealing her pale complexion, and a face that seemed to have aged over night. It appeared as though she had not eaten in a few days. Her luxury silk gowns where gone, and instead replaced with the very sombre black work dress with brilliant starched white apron. She looked up at Willow and Elizabeth as they came through the door. Elizabeth realised all the sparkle had left her eyes, as though she had lost all hope and was jut a shell of the previous girl.

Elizabeth felt sorry for her, and just hoped that she could help give her back some form of her hope, even if she had been a total bitch towards everyone who worked here. Elizabeth didn’t begrudge her for the way she had acted towards the rest of the servants; it was simply the way Cordelia had been brought up. She had not been brought up to respect servants. Like Elizabeth, now she worked in these circumstances she would see just how hard they worked and it would maybe change her opinion.

Seeking a moment of relaxation, Elizabeth sunk into the chair opposite Cordelia. However relaxation was not to be had, as as soon as she had sat down she found Maggie hitting her round the back of the head with the t-towel.

“Ahh ahh none of that, I would have thought you got enough relaxation yesterday. I need you to go mop all the floors upstairs.”

Groaning, Elizabeth heaved herself out of the chair and disappeared into the pantry to get the mop and bucket. When she came back into the kitchen, she saw Willow placing the irons into the aga to warm. It appeared Cordelia hadn’t moved a muscle. Walking over to the sink, she filled a large pan with water and placed that onto the aga before finally sitting back down next to Willow as she waited for the water to heat through.

“Now Cordelia, don’t think your going to sit there all day either. Master William is entertaining a guest in the day room. I want you to go serve them.”

Elizabeth’s interest had picked up when she heard the mention of William. “Ummm who’s the guest?” she asked no one in particular.

Willow tried to hide her smirk, her friend really did like William. “Ohhh I can’t quite remember her name, its something to do with music, melody or tune or note or something like that anyway.”

“Harmony?” everyone looked round at Cordelia, this was the first time she had spoken all day.

“Umm yeah I think that’s it… yeah its definitely Harmony, Harmony Kendal if I remember right.”

Cordelia looked at Maggie with pleading eyes. “Ohhh cook I can’t serve them, please make someone else do it. I can’t let Harmony see me like this, its so degrading.” Maggie just looked at her as though she was something on the bottom of her shoe. “Please I’ll do anything, just don’t make me do that.”

“Everyone knows already Miss Chase and you’ll have to face people eventually.”

“I know that, I’m just not ready for Harmony of all people to see me yet. I promise I won’t hide away forever. Its just Harmony was my best friend for years, I can’t have her see me like this.” Though the thought of having to face Harmony was distressing her, Cordelia didn’t cry. Elizabeth got the impression that Cordelia was the type of girl no one would see cry in public, she had to keep up face after all, even if she had lost everything.

“Don’t think I’m going to pussy foot round you young lady just because your father used to be friends with Master Liam. You’ll work just as long and just as hard as the rest of us. However you may do Elizabeth’s job today.” Cordelia’s shoulders sagged in relief.

Elizabeth who had been listening to the whole conversation snapped her head up to look at Maggie.

“Elizabeth you will do Cordelia’s job, as William seems to enjoy your service so much – you can serve Miss Kendal and him.” Elizabeth nodded and picked up the serving tray.

As she reached the door, balancing the tray on her hip she heard Maggie call.

“Oh and Elizabeth try and act couth, I do believe William’s trying to woo this girl.”

Hearing that Elizabeth felt her stomach drop as she left the room.


***

Knocking gently, Elizabeth entered the room on hearing William’s ‘Enter’. Taking in the scene before her, she saw both William and Harmony sat on the chaise lounge looking very cosy. She immediately swallowed down the bile that rose to her throat. She was unsure why this was affecting her, but for some reason she didn’t like the idea of William spending time with other women.

“Is there anything you would like, sir?” Elizabeth turned her attention to William trying to block out Harmony’s presence.

“No I don’t think there is, I’m not sure about Har… Umm Miss Kendal though.” Elizabeth nodded finally turning her attention to Harmony.

“Is there anything you would like, 'Miss'?” Elizabeth tried to keep the venom out of her voice.

“Ohhh an ice tea and some of those iddy biddy little sandwiches.”

Elizabeth didn’t nod or say anything at all, she just left the room when Harmony’s annoying voice stopped.

“Wow rude much…. What was her problem?”

William stared distractedly at the door Elizabeth had just left through. “I don’t know.”

“Anyway as I was saying Daddy would love it if you could come to the ball and I was thinking….”

William tuned out her voice as he thought about Elizabeth. He tried to think of what he had done to cause her sour mood. He couldn’t really think of anything, the only thing he had done since yesterday was sit here and talk to Harmony. Suddenly it hit him like a ton of bricks--that’s what he had done, he’d shown Harmony attention, and little Elizabeth was jealous. That thought caused him to chuckle.

“What?… William it’s not funny, I think it’s a good idea. We should so go in matching colours, I’m thinking pink.”

“No that wasn’t what I was laughing at… wait a bleeding second I’m not going in matching colours and I’m certainly not going in bloody pink.”

“Oh come on Blondie bear it will be fun.”

“No it bloody will not and stop calling me that.”

Ignoring him, Harmony carried on speaking, “Now I was thinking….”

William once again tuned out her voice. Elizabeth was jealous… it appeared progress had been made yesterday. He decided he could have some fun with this.

As Elizabeth re-entered the room carrying the tray, William leaned back and put his arm across the back of the chaise lounge in a devil may care way. To the casual on looker, it appeared as though William had his arm draped across Harmony, in a relaxed couply kind of way.

Placing the tray down on the small coffee table, Elizabeth spared a glance at William, noticing also that Harmony seemed to be glaring daggers at her.

“Will there be anything else, Sir?”

William looked up at Elizabeth, her eyes were downcast and she looked hurt. He felt guilty for doing this but decided to ignore his guilt.

“I’m not sure, why don’t you wait over there in case we do need anything.” It wasn’t a question it was a statement. He then motioned to Harmony to continue. “Go on pet, carry on with what you where saying.” He moved ever so slightly closer to Harmony, a move which did not go unnoticed by Elizabeth.

“Oh my little sugar, well as I was saying Daddy thinks we should all go to France this year because…”

Elizabeth felt like running out the room crying, or cowering in a corner, or possibly even punching William. Who was he to put her through this? She really had thought yesterday had meant something but watching the two of them together now showed it clearly meant nothing to him. It was probably just another way to get her to work harder or a way to get her into bed. She really had thought that William had been different, clearly, she had been wrong.

God, this girl was annoying. William was trying to concentrate on what Harmony was talking about, something about bloody France, he really wanted to ring her neck. No matter how hard he tried to concentrate even though his attention seemed to be drawn to the petite blond he could see out the corner of his eye. She looked really down trodden and it made his heart ache. As he saw tears start to form in the corner of her eyes, he realised what a bastard he was being. He really was acting no better than Peaches and Elizabeth deserved to be treated better than that.

“Elizabeth,” he gave her a soft look as she raised her head to look at him. Harmony looked affronted at having been cut off mid speech. William ignored her stutters as he carefully studied Elizabeth. “I don’t think we will be needing anything after all, why don’t you go?”

Elizabeth stood up and nodded numbly, then just as quietly as she had entered the room she left it. She was afraid to think of what would happen in that room now there was no one there but the two of them. She was also afraid to think of why he had got rid of her, did he want to do something with Harmony that couldn’t be done with her in the room. With these thoughts invading her mind, she entered the servant quarters and practically ran to her room. Not caring what Maggie or anyone else thought.


***

As Elizabeth left the room, Harmony breathed a sign of relief.

“Finally she’s gone. I tell you some people just have no clue. I mean how rude was she just staying like that – couldn’t she see we didn’t need her here? Hello unwanted.”

William gave up his charade of looking like he was actually paying attention.

“Harmony you stupid bint, she couldn’t leave till I told her to.”

“Oh William you get so worked up, its not good for you… now we are alone why don’t I help you work off some of that tension.”

She moved closer to him, so that her chest was brushing up against his back, she gently placed her hands on his shoulders and started to kneed them. William let his eyes close and imagined it was a smaller blond behind him massaging his shoulders and neck. That was until she carried on speaking.

“So Honey Bunny what do you think of the idea of France? I’d really like it if you took me to Paris… It would be all romantic and I was thinking…”

With a growl, William shot up and stood staring at Harmony.

“Will you just shut up? Can’t you stay quiet for a second? I really don’t know what you have been informed of, but I’m not interested in you and never will be. You’re aggravating as hell, and you’d drive me to an early grave. Get it into your thick skull you dink, nothing is ever going to happen between us, ever, period. Oh and just for the record I would really like it if you would shut up about sodding France.”

Harmony looked gob smacked, as though he had just delivered an actual blow. However she wasn’t the type to give up easily, and if he was going to hurt her, she was going to try hurt him back.

“Don’t think I don’t know what’s going on with you William. You love that servant more than me.”

“I love syphilis more than you, Harmony. At least Elizabeth can carry on a decent conversation which is more than I can say for you.”

Harmony could barely contain the tears as she stood up looking him in the eye. “I don’t know why I let you be so mean to me.”

William looked her squarely in the eye. “What can I say baby, love hurts.”

Harmony looked at him for a beat longer before she fled from the room.

William took a moment to compose himself before rushing out the room himself to try and find Elizabeth to try and explain.

TBC……………….
Apologies by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
I am really really sorry this has taken longer than normal to post.. everything has been really busy here... Thank you to the people who have nominated me at award site.. it means a lot to me and has encouraged me to write faster.. so a big thank you... huggles to everyone... please keep reviewing so that i know people aren't losing intrest.. Thank you everyone.. well best stop now or the AN will end up longer than the chapter!!!
Chapter 17: Apologies

As he stepped out of the room, Elizabeth was nowhere to be seen. He had a feeling that she wouldn’t go far, therefore he figured the servant corridor would be the best bet to find her.

Checking no one was around, as he didn’t want to create a name for himself or for any of the servants, he slipped quietly through the little door in the wall. However, it appeared that his suspicions were wrong, as Elizabeth didn’t appear to be here either. Deciding he had nothing better to do, he turned right and started walking along the corridor, determined to find Elizabeth.

It turned out this place was like a little maze, he didn’t know how the servants did it every day. As he turned another corner he ran into Willow, nearly knocking her off her feet. William quickly made a grab for her arms keeping her steady.

“William! Thank you.” Suddenly Willow did a double take; if William had been in the right frame of mind he would have found it comical. “Wait, William? I mean Master William! What are you doing here? This is servant quarters, Sir.”

“I know that, Red. Look, you aren’t to tell anyone I was here. Is that clear?” He asked and Willow nodded. “I need you to tell me where someone is, ok?” Again Willow nodded, already having an idea who he was looking for. “Where will I find the servant with blonde hair, her name’s Elizabeth.”

Willow was slightly taken aback, for some reason she had assumed he would be looking for Cordelia. “Umm, she was with you, Sir.”

William tried to stop himself from getting aggravated, it wasn’t Willows fault he’d messed up, there was no point getting angry at Willow. “I know that, but she left about five minutes ago, so where will she be now?”

“Well, she hasn’t reported back to Maggie, I know that because I’ve been in the kitchen the whole time, so I just assumed she was still with you.”

“Well, she’s not.” William tried to keep the frustration out of his voice. “Ok, Red, so if she isn’t with me and she isn’t on a new chore, where is she likely to be?” he noticed Willow seemed hesitant to answer. “Look, Red, no one’s going to get into any form of trouble. It will be like I was never here. Please just tell me, it’s really important to me.”

Seeing the sincerity in his eyes, Willow quickly surrendered. “Well, she might be in her room, she only goes there for a few moments sir, it’s not like she’s shirking her responsibilities. Or at least that’s where she went after Master Li…” Willow quickly stopped herself, her eyes widening at her near slip.

“…Liam did what he did to her.” William finished for her. Willow’s eyes widened further as she looked at him. “It’s ok, Red, I know and believe me I’d love to beat him senseless for it, but trust me we aren’t all like Liam. One last question … which one’s her room?”

Willow let a little smile pass her lips at the insecurity in his voice. “Well, sir, you go up to the servant rooms, and her room is the one at the very end on the right. Ok?”

“Thank you. Oh, and one last thing?”

“Haven’t seen you, don’t know where you are.” Willow gave him a knowing smirk.

William gave her a warm smile back. “Thanks, Red, you really are a good friend to Elizabeth.” They gave each other one last glance before turning and walking separate ways.

***
William found the room without too many problems, now here he stood in front of her door. He considered knocking lightly, but knowing that she wasn’t suppose to be here in the first place he knew she would probably just ignore it and pretend she wasn’t in the room. A knock would probably scare her in the long run anyway, so instead he very quietly opened the door and let himself into the room. Elizabeth didn’t even look up as he entered. She was sat on the end of the bed looking towards the window. He quietly went and sat next to her, carefully studying his feet. Neither said a word. It was William who broke the silence first.

“I’m really sorry, love, for the way I acted down there, you have nothing to be jealous about. I’d never go for that bint Harmony.”

Elizabeth still didn’t look round at him. “I’m not jealous, William.”

“Then what is this, pet?” It did not go unnoticed by William that she had called him neither Master William nor Spike, it was as if she was searching for some form of middle ground.

“I was hurt, but I’m not jealous of her. And I do have a name, I thought we had established that.”

“Fine, Buffy, I didn’t ever mean to hurt you.”

“Well, you did, and you have no right using that name, we aren’t friends. My names Elizabeth.”

William was trying hard not to get frustrated with her but she was making it so difficult. Clenching his teeth to stop himself from shouting, he focused all his attention on her. “Will you just look at me?”

“Why?”

“Well, for a start I’m sick of looking at your back. For a second, I want to look at your face and I want you to look at my face and believe that I am telling you the truth.”

Slowly Elizabeth turned to look him in the face, he could see the hurt swirling in her eyes, eyes that always held so much emotion.


“I thought yesterday had meant something to you as well as me, William. I guess I was wrong and I am just a servant to you after all, you certainly proved that with Miss Fancy downstairs.”

William felt joy over her admitting that yesterday had meant something after all, and yet at the same time he felt complete sadness in his gut at the thought of her being hurt, and him the cause of it. William knew he had to make this right. She deserved to be treated much better than how he had done. After everything she had gone through in the last few weeks, she was still standing, she was a much better person than he ever would be and she deserved to know that.

“Oh Elizabeth, I’m so sorry. I’m just a bad, rude man. I never once meant to hurt you, please believe me. I guess I just don’t think sometimes. I’m an idiot. Can you forgive me; because god help me it’s all about you. You are so much more than a servant to me, you’re wonderful, and you have unbelievable strength and such a warm heart. No one even comes close to you. Just thought you should know that, and don’t ever forget it. Yesterday meant the world to me, and if you’ll let me I’d like to do it again and again. Say tomorrow for example?” William gave her a shy smile as he ducked his head.

Elizabeth simply nodded, before William suddenly found his arms full of her, her scent and her touch overpowering his senses. Quickly adjusting to the surprise, he tightly wrapped his arms around her, and could just make her out saying into his chest. “Thank you, Spike.” He didn’t need to ask what she was thanking him for, he just knew.

“Does this mean I can call you Buffy again then, love?”

Elizabeth giggled as William lightened the heavy mood that had settled round them. The sound of Elizabeth’s giggle was like music to his ears as he slipped a slither of hair behind her ear that had worked its way out of her bun.

Pulling out of his embrace, she looked into his eyes, eyes which seemed sapphire as the burned with emotion. Looking at him for a beat longer before she quickly looked down watching her feet, she was un-used to being shown such affection. William decided to lighten the heavy growing mood again.

“So this is your room then, love?”

She scowled at him for the use of the pet name, but didn’t say anything. “Yeah, there’s not much to it, but then again I don’t spend a lot of time up here, it’s not like we get much free time.”

William cast his eyes around the sparse room, and they came to rest on the open book on her bedside table. It was the book he had given her yesterday.

“Are you enjoying the book?”

“Are you kidding? I’m loving it! I’ve nearly finished it already, I couldn’t put it down once I started it last night, its brilliant! I’m sad it’s nearly finished.”

“Well, we’ll just have to sort you out with another one then won’t we?” he gave her a wide smile as he glanced up from the book to see her smiling back at him, clearly liking that suggestion.

“I should really get back before Maggie starts to wonder where we have disappeared to.”

“Ok, love, tomorrow?” he stood and made his way to the door, his hand hovering over the handle.

“Tomorrow, sweet William” Elizabeth placed her hand over his on the handle, both looking up into each other’s eyes, seeing the unspoken words there.

With that they both left the room, with large smiles on their faces and their hearts feeling warm. Both looking forward and anticipating what tomorrow may bring.

TBC…
Second Date by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Sorry updates are taking ages on this one... I will only be able to update once a week at the moment on this one.. I am very sorry everyone!!! I go on holiday in a week for three weeks.. I am hoping I can get someone to update for me while I am away *hint hint ciley!!*
Oh well best get on with the chapter.. thank you to everyoine who keeps reviewing this one it means a lot to me... has kept me writing.. so thank you!!!
Chapter 18: Second date

When Elizabeth went down to the kitchen the following morning, she found William stood in the centre of it talking with Maggie, just as she had half expected him to be. Trying to pretend like she didn’t know what was going on, she started mulling around the kitchen while casting little glances at William. When he finished talking a few moments later, he excited the room, but not before throwing a smirk Elizabeth’s way, making her blush brilliantly. When he had fully left the room, Maggie turned to the people present.

“Well, it seems Master William’s little gathering went well last time, and he has planned another one for today. Apparently this one may last a little longer as it seemed everyone involved enjoyed it last time. Thankfully this time he was kind enough to tell me in advance. He gave me ample warning yesterday of this event, therefore we aren’t quite as rushed this morning. Master William was coming to merely check that everything was prepared for today. I’m grateful to say that yes everything is nearly ready, there are just a few last minute things to do. Daniel and Larry could you go and sort the horses out, and Wesley could you please go and bring me the baskets. Tara, when Wesley has brought the baskets could you pack them. The rest of you, except for Elizabeth, could you all get on with your normal chores.”

With that said, everyone deserted the kitchen, leaving just Elizabeth, Maggie and Tara. “Elizabeth, it seems you did a satisfactory job last time as once again Master William has specifically asked for you to be his personal servant for the day again. I admit that I can be a little hard at times but that is just how I run my household. However, don’t think that this means your work has gone unnoticed. You do work well, Elizabeth, even though you do slip up when it comes to servant etiquette, don’t think that’s gone unnoticed either.” Maggie gave Elizabeth a rare smile. “I think you have good potential. I also think that there’s more to you than meets the eye.”

Elizabeth stood there shocked. Maggie never showed praise and certainly not to Elizabeth. She was unsure what to say or do now. “Now, no point in standing there like a stuffed fish. Master William made it quite clear that this was an important day to him, therefore I wish for you to go and find either Miss Rosenberg or Miss Chase, as both of them have immaculate aprons on, whereas you on the other hand have managed to spill something on yours. I would like you to swap aprons with either girl for the day. Understand?”

Elizabeth just nodded, her mind still reeling over the praise she’d just received. With that, she hurried out the room determined to find Willow before she found Cordelia, knowing that if she found Cordelia it would be evening before she saw Willow again, and right now, she needed her best friend.

***

Finding Willow, she quickly changed aprons and told her everything that Maggie had just told her. Willow giggled in awe, Elizabeth then promising to tell her everything as soon as she got back hurried off to go and find William. Hurrying out to the courtyard, she found Master William sitting at the front of the carriage waiting for her. Climbing up into the front next to him, they set off, heading off in the direction of the newly risen sun.

When they reached the clearing where they had had their last picnic, they both climbed down and wordlessly went about setting up the blanket and food. When everything was set, they sat down, grinning at each other like teenagers in love. They worked so well together without even communicating. In William’s mind it just showed how perfect they were together.

“So, Buffy, have you eaten yet?” He asked and Buffy giggled as he looked at her with a smug look on his face. She felt like she was no longer a servant when she was in this special place that seemed to transcend time and space, where they where simply Buffy and Spike, two friends who enjoyed spending time together. It made her feel special and she loved this feeling and wished to bask in it and that’s exactly what she planned to do today.

“No, I haven’t actually. A certain someone, not mentioning any names but I happen to be looking at him at this very moment, managed to drag me away before I could eat anything.” Buffy giggled again as Spike looked at her with a shocked, almost outraged, look on his face.

“Oh that’s bad, love, I’ll just have to find that certain person and make sure they are properly punished. We can’t have such a pretty girl being taken away from her food. I guess while we are waiting for the perpetrator to show up, because I certainly can’t see him, I’ll just have to let you have some of this delicious food.”

Reaching over Buffy picked up a roll that was still warm; clearly Maggie had got up early to make the bread. Taking a plate that Spike offered her, she placed some of the cold meats onto it and then picked up one of the hard boiled eggs and placed that there as well. She then sat back and started to eat.

Spike watched as she merrily got on setting about deciding on what she wanted to eat. Reaching into the basket, he pulled out a tin slowly taking off the lid. “Have you ever tried one of these, love?”

Buffy looked apprehensively into the tin, seeing several small round cake type things sat at the bottom. Slowly she withdrew one and bringing it to her nose, she smelt it, pulling a strange face as she did, before finally dropping it on her plate.

Spike watched amused as she studied it. “It won’t bite, Pet, I promise.”

“What is it?”

Spike chuckled as she stared at it, almost afraid to get too close to it.

“Well, when I was in England it was the height of society to eat them. We called them crumpets, although here they call them English Muffins. Go ahead, try it, promise I’m not trying to kill you. You’re far to pretty to kill.”

Buffy blushed at the compliment, before picking up the cake type food and taking a small bite. “Mmmm, this is really good actually, how’s it made? My sister would love these.”

“Afraid you’d have to ask Maggie how they are made. I think it’s just flour and butter and milk.”

“Silly, I can’t ask Maggie!” she said, lightly hitting him on the arm she looked over at him.

“And whys that exactly?”

“Well don’t you think it would look a little suspicious Mr, that I just happen to know what these things taste like even though I’m not suppose to have tasted them, as, unless you have forgotten, I am your servant for the day!”

“Ahh I get your point. Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to find a way to get the recipe out of her. We can’t have your sister going without.”

Giggling, Buffy carried on eating her breakfast. She was so carried away that she didn’t even notice that Spike wasn’t eating; he was simply sat there watching her. He loved to see every little attribute she had, every facial expression, she was a goddess in his eyes.


***
When she had finished, she placed the plate back into the basket, before turning to look at Spike.

“What? Have I got food in my teeth or something?

“No, you don’t, love, you’re beautiful.” He said and Buffy blushed again at the compliment, a sight that he found endearing.

“Well, then Mr, what are we going to do now? Seeing that you seem to have everything all planed out.”

Spike held up his hands in mock surrender. “Hey, pet! I think I’ve done enough organising; I got us here didn’t I? Can’t be expected to have a detailed plan of what we are doing as well, why don’t you think of something missy?”

Buffy giggled at him.“Ok, no need to take the offensive. Maggie was pleased you told her yesterday by the way. She was really stressed when you only told her the morning you where going.”

“Ahh, I’m glad I didn’t cause her too much hassle, else she might not have let us come out again.”

“You make it sound like we are naughty children sneaking out. Maggie wasn’t pleased about me coming though. She thinks Willow is better suited. I think she’s afraid I’ll disgrace the household.” Suddenly her face dropped. “If she knew how stupid I’d been she’d sack me on the spot. I’ve certainly disgraced the household. Oh, Spike, am I stupid for falling for his lies? For believing he could actually like me? I mean look at me? I’m so stupid, what did I think was going to happen, we’d live happily ever after?” A single tear slipped down her cheek.

Though she seemed strong, Spike knew the truth, what Liam had done to her had torn her apart and it could be a while before she properly healed, or trusted people again. Time that Spike was willing to give.

“Hey, listen to me, love, you are not stupid.” Reaching a hand out to touch her cheek, he quickly put it back on his lap when he felt her pull away. “You are not stupid for believing he loved you. My father can be very persuasive when he wants to be. Don’t ever blame yourself for what happened. It’s not your fault for following your heart.” Though it had tore out Spike’s heart to say it, he knew it was what Buffy needed to hear. He decided it would only make her feel worse to know that she wasn’t the first girl Liam had done it to.

“I do though, Spike, blame myself that is.” The statement hung quietly in the air.

Feeling his heart ache for her, Spike decided to lighten the mood. Jumping up, he stood in front of her, holding his hands out to her.

“Come on, pet.”

Looking at him quizzically, Buffy gently placed her hands in his, squealing as he hauled her to her feet. Not letting go of her hand, he ran down the small slope leading to the river. As they stood on the riverbank, Spike let go of her hand, stripping off his boots and his knee stockings. It had never gone unnoticed by Buffy that Spike didn’t seem the typical male, he wore neither wig, nor wore the standard buckle shoes, every time she had seen him his boots had seem to be present.

“Spike! What are you doing?”

Smirking, Spike looked across at her where she stood stock-still. “What does it look like, love? I’m going into the river. What can I say, it’s getting warm and I want to cool down. So are you going to stand there staring or are you going to join me?” he stood there barefoot in front of her with his eyebrows raised.

“Well… umm are we allowed?”

Spike smirked again. “Don’t see anyone coming to stop us, do you?”

Agreeing with his sentiment, she finally gave in. “Fine, but I still think this is very wrong.”

Sitting down on the grass, she took off her shoes, then peeled off her stockings and placed them inside her shoes. She then took off Willow’s apron and laid it on top of her shoes. Just as she was about to wade into the water, she deliberated whether or not to take her dress off. She had all her undergarments on, so it wouldn’t be like Spike would see anymore than what he was at the moment. Ok, so that was a lie, he’d be seeing her ankles,--her mother would kill her if she knew. However, if she got her work dress wet then her life wouldn’t be worth living anymore. Making her decision, she slowly undid the back of her dress. Feeling Spike’s eyes boring into her, she quickly stilled her hands.

“Spike! Will you turn round, please?”

Turning round, Spike grit his teeth to tried and control himself.

Checking she was decent, she called to Spike, “Ok you can turn back round I’m decent.”

Nervously she rung her hands in front of her.

Turning around, Spike was shocked by her beauty and innocence. Although he had seen women in less, he couldn’t help being incredibly aroused by the sight in front of him. Feeling a familiar stirring in his groin, he quickly dropped his hands to cover the bulge. Hoping the cold water would help calm him, he suddenly decided a cold paddle was exactly what he needed.

“Well, are we going in or what?” he silently cursed himself when his voice came out more strangled than he had expected.

Buffy was glad when Spike had finally spoke, she was starting to feel open and exposed under his gaze and had started to re-think taking her dress off. Reaching over, she took his hand, impervious to his quiet groan at the action.

Together they walked into the water. This was certainly going to be an interesting experience for them both.

TBC…..
Just Friends? by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
This is Ciley/Suzee updating for NIkki again...sorry this update is so late today...I went to see the shuttle launch today (which didn't actually end up happening.)
Please read and review her wonderful story.
Chapter 19: Just friends?

The cold water lapped at Buffy’s ankles and she raised her skirt slightly higher so it was just above her knee. The water felt heavenly as it swashed around her aching feet. It felt so good to be out of the confines of her shoes, being on her feet everyday was killing her. She was careful about where she placed her feet, as the stones on the riverbed were getting more slippery the further she waded in. Despite the danger she was in, she carried on until she was closer to the middle.

Glancing across at Spike, she saw him trying to carefully make his way to where she stood. Feeling mischievous, she bent down, being careful not to let go of her skirt, and scooped some water into her hand. She then flicked it at Spike, hitting him directly in the face and nearly causing him to lose his balance.

Growling, Spike looked up at Buffy where she stood near the middle of the river, a picture of innocence. However, he wasn’t fooled.

“Oi! Missis, don’t think I’m gonna let you get away with that.”

“Away with what?”

“Don’t give me that.” The innocent face she was currently staring at him with didn’t fool Spike. “You wet me, I wet you. That’s the rule, missy. Don’t think you’re so special and can get away with it.” All this he said with a playful grin on his face as he made his way slowly towards her.

Sensing that she was in actual danger of him wetting her, she started to panic and slowly backed away from him. “No! Please Spike! Don’t no, I’m sorry.” Giggling she looked at Spike.

Giving her an evil smirk, he turned to face her full on. “I don’t think you really are sorry, you better start saying your prayers, princess.”

Squeezing her eyes tightly shut, she tried to make her body as small as possible.

Scooping up a handful of water, Spike waded up to her until he was standing right in front of her. Looking down at the girl in front of him with her face all screwed up, he decided to take pity on her.

Lifting his hands up above her head, he slowly sprinkled water onto her face, causing her nose to twitch. After a few moments of no more water falling on her face, she slowly peeked open one eye and then the other to see him smirking down at her.

“Spike!” hitting him on the chest, she tried to wipe the smug grin off his face.

Spike, however, was highly amused by her actions.

“Whoa, love! Don’t blame me, you’re the one who started it – or don’t you remember?”

As she hit him once more, she suddenly slipped on the rock she was carefully balanced on. Seeing her start to fall, Spike darted forward, grabbing her around the waist and pulling her flush against him, effectively stopping her fall. As they gazed at each other, the playful atmosphere suddenly disintegrated. Spike’s gaze seemed to fall to Buffy’s lip as she worried it between her teeth, making it swollen and full. His eyes were full of lust.

Realising how close their bodies were seemed to pull Buffy out of her Spike induced daze. Placing both hands on his chest, she gently pushed away from him, managing to break his trance as well. Looking at each other, both suddenly felt very shy.

“Well… umm thank you for just stopping me from falling there.”

“It’s, umm, not a problem, pet. Just be careful where you’re stepping and I’d suggest no more hitting people.” Smiling, he watched as Buffy nodded before turning and continuing to wade in until the water reached her knees. Making sure that her skirt didn’t get wet, she raised it higher, revealing part of her thigh.

Turning away from her, Spike tried to suppress the images that were forming in his mind. He walked a little further down the river, keeping his back to Buffy.

Hearing her squeal behind him, he turned to see the water lapping at her knees and a worried look on her face as she desperately pulled at her leg.

“Spike, help! I’ve got my foot stuck.”

Spike chuckled to himself and considered teasing her about her situation, but decided the teasing could wait until after he had got her foot free.

He started to wade towards her, not caring if his pants got wet. Seeing her get more and more worked up, he knew he had to calm her down first before he tried to free her foot.

“Ok, love, take deep breaths. I need you to calm down a bit first.” Watching her do that, he saw her shoulders sag as she calmed down slightly. “Now just wiggle your foot, see if you can get it to loosen, ok?”

Nodding, Buffy did as he asked. Suddenly her foot was free, however the momentum of her pulling at the same time caused her to lose her balance and sent her flying backwards.

Spike was too far away and couldn’t get there in time. He had to watch as she fell backwards, landing fully in the water. His heart leapt in his throat over the thought that she could be hurt. There were plenty of rocks around her. She could have easily hit her head on one of them. She could have a concussion. She could drown. As he watched her emerge a few seconds later, he felt his heart calm down and stop beating as erratically. She seemed fine, even if she did look like a drowned rat.

Wading over to where she sat in the water, he stood in front of her.

“Well, love, that was pathetic, although I have to admit, highly amusing.”

Pouting up at him, she made no attempt to get up.

“Fine, well, if you aren’t going to get up, then we are going to have to get you out of this water one way or another, don’t want you getting ill do we?”

Bending down, he scooped her up into his arms, not noticing or caring that she was soaking his white shirt, which was making the thin material even more see-through. To have her in his arms was pure heaven.

Buffy squealed, flinching as he picked her up. She still wasn’t used to physical contact with men but she quickly adjusted to the feel of being in his arms. She knew Spike meant her no harm. Wrapping her arm tightly round his neck, she held on for dear life as he carried her out the river.

With his precious cargo, Spike carefully made his way back to the river bank, cautious of where he was putting his feet as he didn’t want them both to fall back in - not that it would make them any wetter than they already where.



***

When they where safely back on dry land, Spike carried Buffy up the slope and gently placed her down on the blanket. He then went back down to collect their clothes.

As he walked down the hill, Buffy couldn’t help admiring his physique. His hair was mussed up from the water she had thrown at him, making it curl and giving him a softer, gentler look. She couldn’t help looking at his strong muscular chest; his shirt was partially obscene now. The water had caused the shirt to become transparent and she could see his well-defined chest and his muscular back. Thoughts of running her hands along his chest ran through her head, causing a blush to form on her cheeks. As she saw Spike approaching, she quickly averted her eyes from where they had become transfixed on his glistening chest.

As Spike came to sit back next to Buffy, he realised she was shivering. Reaching over, he picked up his jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders.

Huddling into the warm fabric, Buffy glanced across at Spike. His hands and feet still glistened in the sun, caused by the river water that was still on them. Reaching into the basket, Spike handed her an apple, which she readily accepted.

Untwisting her hair, she let it fall around her shoulders, giving it a chance to dry quicker in the sunshine. She didn’t want to give Maggie any way of knowing what had happened today.

“Well I suppose it could have been worse. I mean I could have been wearing my work dress. Now that would have been a disaster. Imagines Maggie’s face.” The thought caused Buffy to giggle almost manically.

“Do you only get one dress, pet?” Spike asked.

Buffy looked up at him as though he had suddenly grown an extra head. “You really have no clue about servant life do you?”

Spike shook his head; clearly embarrassed about not knowing something he possibly should know about. “Sorry, pet, ‘fraid it’s not my area of expertise.”

“It’s ok, Spike, you don’t have to feel ashamed. I didn’t know much about servant life before I became one either. For the record, yes, we only get one uniform. If you want it cleaning, and you usually do, you have to do it yourself overnight. You also have to pay for your own uniform; you get nothing free in this line of work. Any other questions?”

“Yeah I do, actually.” Spike gave her a look, wondering how she would take this one. “What did you do before working here? You said you were new to the servant lark.” Spike was curious; he knew nothing about Buffy before she had worked at the manor.

“Yes, servant work is all new to me. Before working here I lived at home.” Buffy had decided that she wasn’t going to lie to Spike, she had told him the truth, it just hadn’t been the whole truth. “O.k. My turn.”

“Fire away, love.” Lying back on his arms, Spike relaxed as Buffy asked her question.

“Where’s the accent from? I mean you’re English, but Master Liam and Lady Darla aren’t. So where does yours come from?”

Spike chuckled at her question, it was usually the first things people asked, he was amazed she had lasted this long. He wondered how long she had wanted to ask him.

“Well, love, you see Liam and Darla didn’t want kids. They saw me as an inconvenience. They liked travelling and staying in all the nicest places, none of which can be done with a child in tow. Therefore, I was shipped off to England, London actually. I lived with relative there and then went to boarding school. That’s how I ended up with the accent, been there from such an early age, it’s all I’ve ever known. Then when I came of age, I moved back here. Guess you could say I craved the quieter life, knew Ireland would provide that for me. Always knew deep down that Liam would come back to his mother country, despite all the travelling. It’s where the manor is, where his name and fortunes lie. Yes always knew Peaches would come back here. That answer your question, love?”

When she nodded, Spike decided it was his turn to ask, and that was how they spent the rest of the afternoon, just asking questions back and forth. Both barely touching the surface of what hid underneath.



***

As the sun started to set over the trees, Spike and Buffy decided to head back to the manor. Helping her stand up, he watched as Buffy slipped her dress back on then put her shoes and stockings back on.

Her feet protested slightly at being forced back into their tight restraints, causing Buffy to wince.

Spike meanwhile re-dressed himself so that he once again looked presentable.

Taking her hand into his, Spike looked at Buffy. “Shall we then, my lady?” He then led her back to the waiting carriage.

As she was about to climb into the front of the carriage, Spike stopped her by placing his hand on her arm.

“Wait, love, I’ve got something for you. Close your eyes.” Buffy gave him a puzzled _expression before closing her eyes.

Waving a hand in front of her face to check that she wasn’t peeking, he then reached into the back of the carriage and pulled out a small package and placed it in her out stretched hands.

Feeling the weight in her hands, Buffy slowly opened her eyes, looking down she saw a book. Opening it up she saw an inscription from Spike on the first page.

“Oh, Spike, I love it, how did you know?”

“Well, when I was in your room yesterday you said you had nearly finished the other one I had given you, and I knew you would love this one.”

“Oh I do, thank you so much it’s wonderful.”

Buffy leaned up to kiss him on the cheek, however just as she leaned up, Spike turned his head and Buffy ended up kissing him fully on the lips. Pulling away to look at him, suddenly the playful atmosphere once again left, and was replaced with looks of lust and yearning.

Without thinking, Spike grabbed Buffy’s upper arms and smashed his lips to hers. Buffy was stunned for a second, but quickly overcame the shock and started to

reciprocate the kiss. Threading her arms around his neck, she pressed her body against his.

Her brain started to scream at her through the lust-induced haze. Pulling away from him, she pressed a hand to her mouth, her eyes wide with shock.

“Oh God, I shouldn’t have done that, I’m sorry.” Turning away from him, Elizabeth cast her eyes to the floor.

Spike groaned at the loss of contact “Look, Buffy, I’m sorry, but I’m not sorry I did it.” He realised that maybe that wasn’t the thing to say as it would more than likely push her away further.

“We can’t do this. It isn’t right, not after everything that’s happened. I’m sorry, William.”

Spike watched as she closed in on herself, just like he had watched her close up after Parker had attacked her.

Wrapping an arm around her, he felt her flinch away from him before melting into his embrace.

“I truly am sorry.” Spike heard Buffy mumble into his chest.

“It’s ok, love, friends?”

Buffy just nodded. Pulling back, he looked at Elizabeth. She stood there looking at the floor, the book he had given her still clutched to her chest.

“Come on, love, let’s get back.”

Climbing up to the front of the carriage, they travelled back to the manor, in the same way they had come, in complete silence. This time however both were lost in their own thoughts. One question resides over both their heads. Could they really just be friends?

TBC….
Day Off by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Suzee updating for Nikilicious again...I hope you're all enjoying the story and please review :) Sorry this is a little late today...it's been a busy, crazy day. Hope you're all doing well...enjoy.
Chapter 20: Day off

William and Elizabeth managed to successfully avoid each other for the next few days. Each, however, kept thinking back to their brief kiss - it was never far from either of their minds. It had been the most amazing kiss Elizabeth had ever experienced, yet while her body craved it, her mind screamed at her to hold back.

After everything that had happened, Elizabeth knew that she couldn’t go rushing head first into another relationship, especially with someone of higher social standing. No, it would not be right, they would just have to try to remain friends and nothing more.

Throwing herself into work, she did not dwell on what could not have been had Parker not attacked her and made her a weaker form of herself, or if Liam had not taken her morals and innocence from her, and crushed them under his foot as though they where no more than mere ants. No, she would not dwell on what could have been.

Elizabeth was relieved when Sunday finally came around. It was her first proper day off, one where she could go anywhere and do anything without having to answer to anyone. Elizabeth knew exactly how and where she was going to spend the day – she was going to visit her mother.

Waking up on Sunday, Elizabeth lay in bed loving how it felt knowing she didn’t have to get up. She didn’t have to get up at the crack of dawn and start running around. She didn’t have to be down in the kitchens. She didn’t have to go help prepare breakfast. The only thing she had to do today was make sure that she wasn’t hanging around the manor and getting in the way.

With a smile on her face, Elizabeth threw the blankets off herself and placed her feet on the cold wooden floor. Stepping fully out of bed, she carefully made it up, making sure everything was perfectly in place. Elizabeth then laid her work dress on the freshly made bed, to stop it creasing while she was away. Stripping off her nightgown, she dressed in the dress she had been wearing when she had first arrived at the manor. The coarse wool fabric caused Elizabeth to cringe as it brushed against her delicate skin and she hoped that while she was at home she would be able to change the thick winter dress, for her lighter cotton summer one.

Spraying on a small amount of the spritz her mother had given her; Elizabeth picked up her hat and left the room.

***

Walking down the small staircase, Elizabeth placed her hat gently on her head and tied the ribbon tightly under her chin. Her golden hair was free flowing around her shoulders just the way her mother liked it.

Entering the kitchen, Elizabeth saw Maggie standing by the hearth, Tara stood over by the sink peeling apples and Willow stood at the table loading up a tray with morning tea. Walking over to Willow, Elizabeth gave her a hug. Maggie turned around to look at them.

“I see you are off then. Please don’t loiter around the grounds. I expect you back here by 9 o’clock, any later, and be warned; you will be sleeping in the stables. I assume you will be spending the day with your family. Not that it matters one way or another as long as you aren’t here. Will you be requiring your wage?” Maggie said turning to look at Elizabeth.

“Yes, Miss Walsh. If it isn’t a problem it would definitely help my family.”

Turning around Maggie walked over to the jar over to the sink, where all the household expenditure was kept. Taking the jar down she handed Elizabeth two silver farthings.

“As this is your first wage the cost of your uniform has been taken out of it.”

“Thank you, Miss Walsh.” Elizabeth carefully made sure she had pocketed the money; she wouldn’t want to lose that, not after all the hard work she had put in to earn it.

“Well then, Miss Summers, you had best be leaving if you hope to have any of your day off left.”

Elizabeth cast one more look at Willow, giving her a small smile before leaving out the side door.

The weather outside was beautiful; Elizabeth was cursing the thick wool dress even more now she was under the suns unforgiving rays. She still couldn’t quite believe that it had been a full month since she had last seen her family.

Elizabeth was so lost in thought, she hadn’t seen William approaching, causing her to jump when he stepped in front of her.

“Oh! Master William, you made me jump.” Elizabeth placed a hand to her rapidly beating heart.

William tried not to look disheartened by the fact that although clearly alone Elizabeth had gone back to calling him master. Holding out his hands to stop her, William spoke hurriedly, “Ok, just bear with me, love, and let me get this all out.” Elizabeth just nodded. “I’m sorry about what happened I truly am. I don’t regret the kiss, but I regret spoiling things between us. I promise it won’t ever happen again, unless you want it. The truth is, pet, I miss you and I miss spending time with you.” He then ducked his head shyly over admitting that.

“I miss you too, William.” Elizabeth knew she had to admit it; it was after all the truth.

“Really?” A smile crept over William’s face. “Well, I say we spend the day together today then.”

“William, I can’t.” She noticed that William looked downcast as she had said that, and she had to make him see that she wasn’t rejecting him, she just couldn’t spend today with him. “I do miss you, but I can’t spend the day with you today. It’s my day off, William, and I’m spending it with my family.”

“Oh well, why didn’t you say so?” With that, he set off down the path in the direction Elizabeth had just been heading.

“William! Where are you going?” Elizabeth ran to catch up with him, her hat slipping forward slightly as she did.

“Come on, pet, we’ll never get to your mum’s if you are going to stand there gassing.” William spoke quite matter-of-factly causing Elizabeth to stop.

“William! William!” Despite Elizabeth calling, William carried on walking. “William! ‘Spike’!” Elizabeth hissed.

This caused William to turn around with a silly grin on his face. “What?”

“You can’t go to my mothers looking like that! She’ll have a fit if she thinks I’ve turned up with an aristocrat.”

William smiled to himself; she had agreed that he could come. Thinking for a second, he then came up with an answer, and taking her hand William led her across the grounds to a secluded little seat.

“Ok, love, you sit right here, promise you won’t go anywhere. I will be back in a little while. I promise your mum won’t have a clue who I am.” With that said William jogged off towards the manor, leaving Elizabeth standing there.

Unsure what to do, Elizabeth did as William had asked, and sat down on the seat and waited patiently.

She didn’t have to wait long; she could soon see a William shaped man walking across the grounds towards her. As he stopped in front of her, Elizabeth could barely contain the laugh that bubbled forth.

“What do you look like?”

“What’s wrong with it?” William looked down at himself, bemused by what was causing her to giggle.

“No, nothing really.” Elizabeth tried harder to fight back the giggle.

William was wearing a moth eaten jacket that was at least three sizes too big and seemed to be hanging off his slender body. His trousers were no longer the finer finished fabric, also gone was his white silk ruffle shirt, instead replaced by a simple cotton one. His boots were scuffed and dirty. Overall, he no longer looked like the rich aristocrat he had done when he had left her sat there.

“Where did you get those clothes from, Spike?” she realised the name ‘spike’ definitely suited his persona better today.

“I traded Larry. He got my clothes and I got his. Mind you, he’ll get these back at the end of the day anyway, not like mine will fit him. All’s fair.”

When Buffy pulled a worried look, Spike realised she was scared Larry would say something.

“Don’t panic, pet, he doesn’t know why I want them, and even if he did he wouldn’t tell.”

Buffy still felt apprehensive, but nodded anyway.

“Well then, Buffy, should we be on our way then?”

With that, the two of them set off in the direction of the village.

***

The pair walked in comfortable silence for a while, until a giggle from Buffy broke the peace. Spike glanced across at her as they carried on walking.

“What’s that, love?”

“Oh, nothing.”

Spike raised an eyebrow at her,

“Oh, ok.” Buffy gave in under his intense stare and told him, “I was thinking about how you always keep surprising me. One minute I think I have you all worked out, William ‘Spike’ Hartley, but then you’ll do something like this, and it makes me question what I know.” Buffy ducked her head and uttered in a small voice, “I like it, it’s nice.”

Spike didn’t know what to say, so he said the first thing that came into his head, “And that thought caused you to giggle?”

He made sure to wear an indignant look on his face as he looked at her.

“No! Sorry.” Another little giggle broke forth. “I was thinking about what you are wearing. Your hair needs to be messier though.”

Stepping in front of him, Buffy ran her fingers through his hair, causing it to fall into little curls and making it look like it had the other day when it had got wet in the river.

Reaching up, Spike took Buffy’s hand in his own, and brought it to his mouth, placing a chaste kiss on the back of it. Both just stared at each other, neither saying a word, locked in position. Buffy’s breathing started to pick up, until it came in short gasps, and both just stared into each other’s lust filled eyes, remembering the amazing kiss from the other day.

Suddenly someone cleared their throat behind Buffy’s back, effectively breaking their trance. Buffy and Spike broke guiltily apart, and Buffy spun around to see a young girl with long dark hair standing behind her.

“Dawn!”

TBC…
Family by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Brand new chapter!!! I know it has taken a while, things have been hectic. I want to say a big big big thank you to my beta for this!!!

Please all go review!!!
Chapter 21: Family

“What are you doing here, Dawnie?” Walking up to her, Buffy embraced her sister in a tight hug before standing next to her and running her fingers through her long brown hair that was flowing freely around her shoulders and down her back.

“Oh! Mum sent me out, you know how she is.” Dawn said nonchalantly while looking directly at Spike.

Buffy could tell that Dawn was trying to act grown up around Spike. She knew in all probability that Dawn would have annoyed her mother until she had finally had enough and thrown her out the house with a job to do, or to go and get something. However, Buffy wouldn’t shatter her illusion in front of Spike, after all what where sisters for?

As Dawn continued to stare at Spike, practically drooling, Buffy realised she hadn’t introduced him.

“Dawn this is… umm…” She realised they hadn’t discussed if he wanted to be William or not.

As Buffy continued to stutter and look to Spike for help, Dawn raised an eyebrow at her babbling sister. Had she only just met this man somewhere?

Buffy heaved a sigh of relief when Spike spoke for her.

“Name’s Spike, pigeon. So you’re Buffy’s little sister?”

“That’s right, Buffy is MY sister.” Dawn made sure to put the stress on the word ‘my’. She hated being seen as the little sister, the baby, who didn’t know anything.

“Heard a lot about you, pet, good to finally meet you.”

Dawn giggled. She liked the way this man treated her. When he looked at her, she felt like he saw her as she was… a woman.

“Well then ‘Spike’ we should be getting back to the house.” Buffy cast a glance at her still drooling sister, and the expression she was currently wearing on her face. “Dawnie are you coming with us?”

“O.k.” she said it in that high-pitched way that only teenagers seemed to be able to achieve.

As they set off walking, Dawn moved round from Buffy’s side so that she stood side by side with Spike. Yeah Dawnie definitely had a crush big time.

They walked the ten minutes to the house in relative silence. Dawn making the occasional sighing noise as her arm brushed against Spike’s.

As they walked over a small hill, a little lane came into view, with small houses dotted down the lane.

Each house was tiny, but Spike knew that didn’t mean each house wouldn’t be home to numerous people. Each house had a little veranda with several people sat on it. Children were playing in the street, seeming to be having lots of fun, despite not having any proper toys or shoes.

Although each one of the houses and the people he saw were poor, Spike realised they looked happier than most of the aristocrats he knew.

“Welcome to Revello Lane, Spike.” Taking his hand, Buffy led Spike to a house in the middle.

Entering into the small house, it took Spike several seconds to adjust to the change in lighting. Outside the sun had seemed so bright, yet in here it barely managed to make it through the gloom. It made the small house seem so dark and cramped. Wherever he looked there was objects or furniture.

In one corner, was a stove, which Spike guessed served as the kitchen. Stood by the stove was a woman aged about forty with dirty blond curly hair. Spike assumed this was possibly Buffy’s mum.

On a simple looking chair sat an older man. He wore small round glasses which were perched on his nose. He was dressed well, and was reading what appeared to be a well-read thick leather bound book. Spike was unsure as to who this man was. It was possible he could be Buffy’s father, even though she didn’t speak fondly of him, she had never mentioned whether he was present in her life or not.

A younger woman with brown hair, sat in a corner nursing a small baby, while heavily pregnant with another child.

“Look who I found!” Dawn announced their presence as they entered, snapping Spike out of his reverie.

Suddenly they found all eyes on them.

“Buffy!” Joyce came up to her daughter and gave her a tight hug. “Hi, Honey, how are you?”

“Mom. I’m ok.”

“How’s work? Finding it hard?”

“Oh, uh… It’s ok I suppose. Mom, I would like you to meet Spike.” Buffy gestured towards where Spike stood awkwardly next to her.

“Please to meet you, Spike. I’m Joyce, Buffy’s Mother. So do you, umm, work with Buffy, Spike?”

“Something like that, yeah.”

Joyce smiled at him, before turning back to Buffy. “Tell you what honey, why don’t I make us all some cocoa?”

“That would be lovely, thank you.” Buffy spoke with a smile. She had missed her mom’s cocoa while working away.

“Spike, would you like some cocoa?”

“Thank you, Joyce, that would be good.” Spike had never been mothered before so it made a nice change for him.

Smiling Joyce turned back to the stove to make the cocoa.

As Buffy walked over to the man in the chair, he stood up to greet her. Buffy hugged him tightly, causing the man to wince slightly.

“Hello, Buffy, I see working hasn’t diminished your capacity to hug tightly.”

Buffy quickly let go. “Sorry, Giles.” Giles gave Buffy a smile showing her that he was only joking. “Giles I want you to meet a friend of mine.” She turned around so Giles could see Spike. “This is Spike.”

“Please to meet you, Spike. I’m Rupert Giles.” Reaching out his hand, Giles shock Spike’s firmly.

Spike realised that like himself, Rupert was English. “Hello, Rupert.”

Buffy then led Spike by the hand over to the woman who was nursing the baby.

“Anya! Where’s my big brother then?”

Anya looked up at Buffy. “He’s working down the mines today.”

Buffy nodded and looked over at Spike. “Spike, this is Anya, my brother’s wife, and this…” she gestured to the baby sleeping in Anya’s arms “is their little bundle of joy – Anne. Baby number two is on his way any day.”

Anya looked Spike up and down, making him feel quite uncomfortable. Finally, she turned back to Buffy and said quite matter-of-factly, “He’s good looking, Buffy. He seems like he will be quite capable of giving you lots of satisfying orgasms.”

Spike started to cough. Sure that he hadn’t heard that right he cast a glance over at Buffy. Seeing how red she had gone, her whole body flushed with embarrassment, he felt assured that he had heard Anya right.

Buffy and Spike were saved from any further embarrassment as Joyce called them over for their cocoa, making no show that she had heard Anya’s comment.

Dawn joined them at the table, making sure that she was sat as close to Spike as physically possible.

That was how they spent the next few hours, sat at the table talking, like real families did. Spike realised his family had never once done this. He enjoyed just sitting back in this relaxed atmosphere as the conversations washed over him. He felt almost like he belong here, yet the niggling thought at the back of his mind kept reminding him that he no more belong here than Buffy did in his world. Silently, he decided to banish such thoughts for the day and simply enjoy the pleasures of just being a normal person, and not some rich upper class twit. Quietly, he listened to each conversation that was going on.


***
As the day wore on, Buffy helped her mother with a few jobs, such as the washing and cooking the evening meal for everyone. Spike was left to entertain Dawn, so he sat at the table telling her stories, which seemed to keep her quite amused as she listen with rapt attention.

Giles went back to the chair and carried on reading the book that he had been engrossed with when they had first entered the house. Anya had gone back to nursing the baby in the corner.

As the sun was just starting to set, a tallish man with dark hair walked into the little house. He was completely covered from head to foot in soot, so making out features was nigh on impossible.

As the sound of the little door opening was heard, all inhabitants turned to look, it was Buffy however who was first on her feet. Rushing over, she managed to stop herself a split second before she went to hug him, as though only just realising he was covered in dark soot.

“Hi, Buffy.”

“Hey, big brother. I’ll maybe wait until you are washed before I hug you.” Buffy gave Alex a wide smile.

Raising his hand, he seemed as though going for a loving gesture, when suddenly he swiped his finger across her nose leaving her with a black smudge across her white nose.

“Hey!” Smacking him on the arm, she scowled at him.

Alexander laughed as he walked off to go and get washed and changed, never once did he notice Spike sat at the table.

***
When Alex came back down, he sat at the table just as Joyce was serving the stew she had made for everyone. As the women all helped dish up Alexander and Spike sat facing each other.

“Have we met before?” Alex sat studying Spike, trying to work out if and where he had seen this man before.

“No, mate, don’t think you have… name’s Spike, friend of Buffy’s. I guess you are the whelp of a brother she talks about, occasionally.” Spike said the last bit purely to get the other mans back up… and it worked.

“Hey!”

Just at that moment Buffy came back to the table carrying the hot strew. “Play nice you two. Alex this is my friend, Spike. Spike, this is my brother Alex. All introduced? Good. Now get along or you will both regret it.”

Although the two spent the rest of the evening having a staring match, neither said anything to the other.

The meal was eaten amidst the flurry of chatter that hadn’t let up all day. When everyone had eaten, Buffy and Joyce helped clear the table. Out of the corner of his eye, Spike caught Buffy and her mother in the middle of a disagreement. He knew not to intercept it though; he could tell that Buffy was trying to give her mother her hard earned wages, which her mother was refusing to take, even thought it was clear they needed the money. It was clear that neither wanted to create a scene, so Spike kept his head down and ignored what was going on behind him.

As he felt a small hand on his shoulder he turned round to look at Buffy who stood next to him. Glancing over at Joyce, who was stood by the stove putting the coins into a simple jar, it was clear Buffy had won and Joyce had taken the money.

“Well then, Spike, we should be getting back to the manor… wouldn’t want anyone missing us.”

Spike understood what she was saying; she knew no one would be missing her, however he was another matter entirely.

Saying their goodbyes and promising they would come visit again soon, Buffy and Spike left the little house and stepped out into the lane, where the sun was just beginning to set. A cool breeze whipped around them, causing Buffy’s hair to dance.

Silently they set off towards the manor, and back to the life where neither could pretend to be something they weren’t, yet still the place where all they did was pretend.

TBC……..
Helping hand by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Two updates in one week! wow go me! I realised you all deserved it as I have kept you waiting for so long! I hope you all like. The next chapter will be in a week... hopefully! Guess it depends on how many reviews i get!
Chapter 22: Helping hand

Buffy carried on walked by Spike’s side for a while, neither of them saying a word. Slowly, Buffy slipped her hand into his.

Spike jumped slightly when he felt her small hand slip into his. Quickly adjusting to the surprise, he squeezed her hand and carried on walking.

“Thank you for today, Spike” Buffy gave him a shy look as they walked back to the manor hand in hand.

“What for, love?” Slightly confused as to why she was thanking him, Spike stopped them and looked her directly in the eye, his eyebrow raised.

“Thank you for coming today, for making the effort, thank you for everything. Most importantly thank you for making it possible for me to do this.” Leaning up, she kissed Spike fully on the lips.

Pulling back Spike gave her a puzzled look. “Are you sure, love? Because I made a promise to a lady that I would never kiss her unless she wanted it. I don’t want you thinking I am pushing myself on you. I don’t want you to think that you have to do this. I want you to be happy.”

Instead of answering him, Buffy threaded her arms around his neck, pulling his body down so that it was on level with hers. She then kissed him again; with such passion it took both their breaths away.

Finally breaking away from him, Buffy looked Spike straight in the eye.

“Spike, you aren’t throwing yourself on me. I want this – I want you.” She said it with such sincerity Spike was left with no doubt that she spoke truthfully. “So, yes, I am sure.”

Spike gave her one last look, just to make sure the words she spoke where true, and then scooped her up into his arms. Spinning her around, he kissed every inch of her face.

Coming to a halt still in each other’s arms, Spike looked Buffy deep in the eyes. Leaning down, he peppered little kisses all over her face.

“Well the first thing…” Kiss “I am going...” Kiss “to do…” kiss “is bloody well marry…” kiss “you, Miss Elizabeth Summers.”

This suddenly snapped Buffy out of her daze, as though she had just had a bucket of cold water poured down her back. Giving Spike a little push so that she could look him fully in the face, she faced him full in.

“No.”

“No?” Spike looked at Buffy with a confused expression on his handsome face.

“Spike, I can’t marry you.”

“Why the bleeding hell not? Is this because of peaches?” Spike felt himself start to lose his grip on his temper.

“Spike, please don’t be angry.” Placing a gentle hand on his arm, she felt her presence calm him slightly, however he still seemed tightly wound. “I can’t marry you, it wouldn’t be fair to either one of us. Please accept that, Spike, please.” Buffy looked at him with wide eyes, pleading with him to understand.

“So what? You expect me to keep you as my dirty little secret.” Spike couldn’t understand what she was saying, and it was making him angry and he was starting to lash out and the nearest available person, which just happened to be Buffy.

“Is that what I feel like to you, Spike? Is it?” Buffy started to feel her temper rise as well; she didn’t like being insulted like that.

“Oh god no, Buffy, never.” Spike felt bad for lashing out. His temper vanished.

“Then that isn’t what this is.”

“I just don’t understand why we have to hide, love.”

“Spike, it would be too difficult to tell people. Can you imagine what it would be like? I’m yours, nothing and no one can stop that, but we have to keep it a secret. It’s not like we are hiding it really. It will be so special. Please, Spike.”

Spike smiled shyly at her. “For you, pet, anything.” With a smug grin on his face he once again gathered Buffy in his arms and spun her around, causing her to squeal.

“I love you, Miss Elizabeth Summers.” Spike was slightly hurt when Buffy didn’t say it back, but he knew he just had to give her time to get over everything she had been through – but he knew one day she would say it too. One day she would feel the way he did – she’d love him back. Maybe not today, but one day. She was his and that was the way he intended to keep it.

Smiling, they walked hand in hand back to the manor, both more happy than they had been in a long time.

***
On Monday morning Elizabeth went back to work. Even though she had only had one day off, going back and getting back into the routine had seemed very hard. She had had to do so much and there had seemed to be no let up all day.

Elizabeth found that the days were being made considerably easier by the presence of William. Any job that involved being near or serving William, Elizabeth took.

They would share little knowing smiles in the halls as they passed, and would watch each other while they were in the gardens. Each time she went to him, he would act the perfect gentleman, before kissing her breathless.

Elizabeth enjoyed these little breaks in her day-to-day work.

On her second week back, Elizabeth was rota’d to do the market run. As had happened the last time she had been on market run, William watched her set off and joined her every time. Together they would go into the village. When they would be entering the village, William would have to leave her. Even though Elizabeth couldn’t see him, she could sense that he was still watching her and keeping her safe. The thought always made her smile. He was her knight in shining armour, though she would never admit that thought to him.

It was on Thursday morning as they where on their way into the village that William announced it would be the last time this week they would be able to do this. Clearing his throat he turned to look at Elizabeth.

“Buffy, pet, ‘fraid I’m not going top be able to come with you again tomorrow or Saturday.”

“Oh.” Buffy’s face fell, but she tried not to look hurt “why not?”

“I have to go away to Dublin City. I have business to take care of. I will be gone until Sunday afternoon. I am sorry I could not have told you sooner.”

Although a little sad over the fact that she wouldn’t be seeing Spike for the next few days, she knew the rest of the house would be pleased, as with Lady Darla and Master Liam away until Wednesday at the moment, and now Master William going away, it would definitely mean less work. “That’s ok – but I’ll see you Sunday?” Buffy’s voice held a hopeful edge almost like a little child.

“Count on it, love.” A wide smile split Spike’s face, the infectiousness of it causing Buffy to smile as well.

Taking each other’s hand they carried on into the village. The rest of the journey was taken in relative silence, both just enjoying the others presence as it would be the last they would have for the next few days.


***
On Friday morning, as expected, Elizabeth saw nothing of William. She got up at her usual time and dressed into her simple summer dress, collected the money and list of Maggie and left the manor, travelling to the market on her own.

William however saw plenty of Elizabeth. Sat in his window seat in his study, he watched as she left the manor and walked slowly up the long drive. She walked at a slower pace than usual, and William wondered if that was because he wasn’t going to be joining her today.

When he was sure she was definitely away from the manor and wouldn’t be coming back any time soon, he left his study and went to search the house. He was determined to find the person he needed before Buffy came back.

***
William searched for half of the morning, or at least that is how it felt to him, in reality he had been searching for the last two hours. It turned out the person he wanted to find was harder than he thought it would be. He hoped he would find her soon, before Elizabeth came be back. William knew Elizabeth should have been back an hour ago, and he just prayed to the gods, thank you, for whatever reason she had been delayed today. If Elizabeth came back soon he would be unable to complete what he wanted to do.

As he walked back to his study where he planned on contemplating his next step after being unable to find the person he wanted, William caught sight of her. Walking quickly up to her, he cornered her so that she couldn’t escape, not that he thought she would.

The person in question jumped when William approached her from behind.

“Oh! Master William, you scared me.” Clutching her chest, where her heart was beating at a fast pace, she looked at him.

“Miss Chase, I need your help with a little problem.”

With that the two of them walked into William’s study.

TBC….
Surprises by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Not really anything to tell, thank you for all your reviews, please please please keep reviewing!
Chapter 23: Surprises

By Sunday evening Elizabeth felt exhausted. Although William had promised that she would be able to see him today, she hadn’t seen him at all. A messenger had been sent to the house to say that he had been delayed in the City and it may be Monday morning when he would be arriving home. She felt disheartened.

Slowing dragging herself up the wooden stairs, she was unsure how she was even keeping her eyes open. Her entire body felt drained, she had worked so hard this week, and now she was paying for it.

Reaching the servant corridor, she pushed open the door to her room. Her eyes immediately widened.

Sat in the centre of her bed was a large box tied with a gold ribbon around it. Quickly she shut the door so that none of the other servants would see it. Rushing over to the box, she untied the ribbon with shaking fingers. As the ribbon fluttered down to land on her bed, she felt the edge of the box and slowing she lifted the lid.

Inside the box, lay a single red rose amongst layers of tissue paper. Picking up the rose, she lay it gently on the bed next to her. Underneath the rose was a simple card. Elizabeth placed it next to the rose, she would read it when she knew what was in the box. Moving the tissue aside, Elizabeth’s breath caught in her throat as she saw the most amazing red Duchess silk. Running her hand along it, she relished the feel of it against her skin. Carefully, she took the corners and gently lifted it out of the box. Elizabeth stared in amazement as she pulled out the beautiful dress that was made of layer upon layer of silk and antique lace. A simple label was sewn into the dress, revealing the creation as a Rose Bertin’s. Elizabeth knew well that the Queen herself favoured this costumier. Holding the dress against her body, Elizabeth twirled around the room. Her tiredness had suddenly vanished.

Gently placing the dress down on the bed, Elizabeth looked back into the box. Taking out the delicate petticoat and corsets, she marvelled at the work that had gone into making these items of beauty. Laying them carefully on top of the dress, Elizabeth looked at the last items that lay in the box.

At the bottom, lain amongst the tissue paper and scattered rose petals, lay a pair of shoes. They matched the dressed perfectly, made in the same exquisite fabric. Elizabeth knew automatically the shoes and the dress where her size perfectly. Next to the shoes, lay an antique lace drawstring bag, that, from talk in the village, Elizabeth knew was the height of fashion. The bag was lined in the same red silk as the shoes and the dress.

Next to the shoes and the bag, lay a slim wooden item. Taking it out of the box to examine it, Elizabeth discovered it was a beautiful hand crafted fan.

Elizabeth was overwhelmed by the gift, the collection must have cost a kings ransom. Remembering the simple card that had been in the box, Elizabeth placed the fan gently back into the box. Moving the rose to her bedside table, she picked up the card. Turning it over she saw William’s telltale writing, a simple inscription was written on the card;

I have seen your world. Time for you to try on my world.
Yours always, your William



***
William paced his study. He had left the gift for Elizabeth in her room three hours ago, as soon as he had got back for Dublin. He had made sure that no one had seen him, he didn’t want Elizabeth to find out too soon that he was back, he had wanted to surprise her. However the anticipation was slowly killing him, he wasn’t known for his patience.

He had been right about Cordelia, she had been of great help. William just hoped she would keep it confidential. He had wanted the best for his angel, and knew that as Cordelia had been a rich aristocrat she would have been the best to advise him.

She had known right away that if he wanted the best he should go into Dublin and go to Madam Bertin. William had done that, finding a dress in the richest red fabric, he could imagine what Elizabeth would look like in it. It had unfortunately taken him longer than he had expected and it had been the evening when he had been able to return. He had hoped to be leaving by the morning as he had promised Elizabeth that he would see her in the afternoon.

Glancing at the clock, he knew that Elizabeth would be finishing for the day now and would be going up to her room, with a sigh he carried on his pacing.

He was planning on taking her to the ball on Monday night. He knew that as he had seen her world, she had to see his. No one would recognise them at the ball, with Peaches and Darla away there was no chance that they would be seen, it was a masquerade ball anyway, so everyone had to go as someone else.

Glancing at the clock again, he realised that only 10 minutes had passed since he last looked at it. Growling, he decided that he had waited long enough, time to go and see his lady. Opening the door, he checked no one was around he stepped into the servant corridor and headed off to find her.

***
Knocking quietly on her door, he heard her quickly rushing about inside he heard her call “Just a second”. Hearing a shuffling, he couldn’t help the smirk that spread across his face. He knew she must be desperately trying to hide the dress so that whoever was on the other side of the door wouldn’t think that she had stolen it.

Suddenly a very flushed Elizabeth poked her head around the door, just enough so that William couldn’t see into the room.

Her eyes widened as she saw William stood there with his hands behind his back in a submissive gesture. Grabbing him by the lapels she pulled him into the room before anyone could see him.

Silently they shut the door.


***
An hour later the door opened again and William silently left her bedroom. He gave her a gentle kiss on the lips, running his fingers through her silky hair. Looking deep into her eyes as they broke apart, he let her see his heart and the love it held for her.

“Goodnight, sweet William.” Elizabeth smiled at him, loving the feeling of how he held her close.

“Goodnight, my love, sleep well. I will see you tomorrow.”

Giving her one last chaste kiss, he backed away from her until his back touched the wall behind him. He then turned and walked back towards his bedroom. He would have loved to spend the night in her arms, but he knew it would raise too many questions come morning, and so had left her.

Elizabeth smiled as she watched the man she knew she was falling in love with walk away. Tomorrow was going to be a fun day, and Elizabeth couldn’t wait.

Standing at her door for an extra moment to check that no one was awake and had heard them, she smiled to herself and walked into her room, shutting the door too.

Taking on last look at the red dress hung up against her door, she climbed into bed, the smile never leaving her face.

***
Elizabeth had worked hard all Monday, though she had been smiling all day as she kept thinking about what the evening may hold for her.

At 6 o’clock Elizabeth was able to stop working and go up to her room to collect her things.

William had somehow managed to work a miracle, Elizabeth wasn’t sure how exactly and she knew that William wouldn’t be telling. He had managed to get both herself and Willow the night off. He had also managed to secure them a small cottage where she could prepare.

He had given her detailed instructions that at 6 o’clock she was to finish work and go and collect everything he had given her. The little horse drawn buggy would pick her and Willow up so that they could be taken to where they where to get ready. Larry would create a slight distraction so that they would get away with the parcel without any questions.

Elizabeth almost ran to her room she was that excited. Gathering everything up, she found that the large box was very difficult to carry and wondered how William had ever got it up here in the first place. As she opened the door, she ran head long into Willow, nearly causing her to drop the heavy boxes. Giving a little squeal, Willow quickly placed her hand over Elizabeth’s mouth to quieten her.

“Shhh, you’ll get us caught.”

Nodding that she understood, Willow removed her hand from Elizabeth’s mouth. Quietly, they walked down the staircase and out into the yard.

Sat in the front of the buggy holding the rains was Oz. It appeared the only people who didn’t know about this evening were Maggie and Wesley. Where once the thought of all these people knowing would have scared Elizabeth, now she wasn’t scared in the slightest. She had learnt to trust these people and she knew that they wouldn’t tell.

As they climbed in and settled down, Oz urged the horses on, setting off at a brisk trot that sent both girls falling back into theirs seats. Giggling, they watched as the manor slowly disappeared behind them, as they got further away from it. It was clear Oz knew where they were going.

Elizabeth smiled as she imagined what the night might hold for her. Slipping the lid off the box, she reached her hand inside and felt the silk again. Willow was going to help her to prepare, she was going to look beautiful for her William.

As they slowly pulled up to a small cottage that had ivy growing up the wall, and a garden smelling of honeysuckle and night blooming jasmine, Elizabeth noticed a candle glowed from inside the house and she worried that they had the wrong house and were about to pull up while a family was having their evening meal. However Oz pulled the buggy to the side and climbed down. He then helped first Willow and then Elizabeth out. Both girls felt like royalty as they walked up the well-manicured path.

Just before they went into the house, they both turned and waved as Oz turned the buggy and horses and slowly drove back down the lane he had come up. He would be back for them later, but now he had other important things he would have to do before then.

As they saw Oz trotting down the lane and out of sight, they turned and walked through the small door that led into a little kitchen.

Directly in front of them sat a small wooden table, where a single candle burned. On the table a bottle of champagne was in an ice bucket cooling. Next to the ice bucket lay a red rose and a small note.

Walking up to the table, Willow handed Elizabeth the rose, who lifted it to her nose and smelled the sweet petals. Willow picked up the note that had Master William’s hand writing on.

“He says we should make ourselves at home, there is a bedroom where we can get ready and there’s a bath as well if you want one. He’ll pick you up in an hour and a half.”

Elizabeth just smiled, William really did think of everything. “Well then what are we waiting for, we really should go get ready.”

Picking up the bottle of champagne and the two champagne flutes that sat next to it, both girls headed towards the bedroom to go and get ready for Elizabeth’s big night.


TBC…..

*Now please go review, it only takes a second!!!*
Dressing Up. by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Sorry this has taken ages to get out.. I have been rushed off my feet!!! Please review and it will help me get more wrote!! Thank you!
Chapter 24: Dressing up

Walking into the room, Willow placed the box down on the chaise-long that sat under the widow. She then stood to admire the room, Elizabeth followed in behind her.

Although small, with low ceilings, the room was beautifully furnished. A simple bed with a patchwork hand embroidered quilt sat in the far right corner. In the opposite corner was a full-length hand engraved wood surround mirror. As Elizabeth stepped up to admire the beauty of it, Willow rushed past her and draped a blanket that she had picked up off the bed over the mirror, effectively obscuring Elizabeth’s view of it. Turning, she looked at Willow with a puzzled expression on her face.

“Ok, the reason you did that was…?”

Willow blush bright red, the colour didn’t complement her hair colour in the slightest. “I didn’t want you seeing yourself until you are all ready. I didn’t want you to spoil the surprise. Is that ok, because if its not I can take it off…”

“Will, it’s fine, it’s a nice idea. Thank you. So where should we start then, this all feels very strange.”

“I know, doesn’t it… umm, I don’t really know where we should start. Well, umm, why don’t you go and have a nice relaxing bath, and while you do that I’ll, umm, I’ll sort out your wig. It’s in the box I assume with everything else?”

Elizabeth’s eyes suddenly went wide, “I didn’t get a wig. Am I supposed to have a wig? What will I do without a wig? Is it wrong I don’t have a wig?”

Willow cut her panicked ramble off. “Relax, it’s ok that you don’t have a powdered wig. Not everyone wears them anyway; they just make people look pompous basically. That’s probably why Master William didn’t give you one. He never wears a wig himself anyway.” Elizabeth realised that was true, she had never seen William with anything but his natural hair.” It really isn’t a problem, Elizabeth, so don’t panic, ok? We will just do your own hair up. You are going to look fabulous, I promise.” Elizabeth simple nodded “O.k. you go on and have your bath, I’ll get everything ready here.”

Placing the bottle of champagne and glasses down on the dressing table, Elizabeth went off in search of the place to have a bath.


***
She didn’t have to search very long, as just off from the kitchen she found a small room. Elizabeth realised this is where the inhabitants of the house, who ever and wherever they where, must wash. The room was cosy and warm, caused by the open fire that was roaring away. In front of the fire sat a quite large tin bath. A rack hung from the ceiling with three towels draped over it. In the corner farthest from where Elizabeth stood was a simple stove where several large jugs of water sat on it gently warming, ready to fill the bath. There were no windows in this room, so it was just filled with candle light, making it feel quite homely.

Walking over to the stove, she took off the jugs and poured them one at a time into the bath. Each made a splashing sound as it hit the hard tin of the bath. Putting half a jug of cold water in as well to cool it, Elizabeth carefully dipped one slender finger in to make sure it was the right temperature. She then walked over to the rack; taking down a towel, she draped it over the fireguard so that it would warm up ready for her to get out. Stripping off her clothes, she submerged herself in the hot water.

Already, she could feel herself relaxing as the water lapped at her aching body. Laying her head back, she allowed herself a few moments to enjoy the feel of the hot bath, before reaching over the side of the bath for the soap and flannel that lay on the floor.

Working up a lather with the soap, she washed every inch of her body before finally washing her hair. Lying down in the water so that her head was completely covered, Elizabeth opened her eyes and looked at the ceiling through the water and soap bubbles that lay across the surface of the water, giving her a murky view. Tearing herself away from the magical feeling of being helpless under the water, she stepped out of the bath and onto the rag rug that had been placed over the cold stone floor by her feet. Elizabeth dried herself and then wrapped the towel securely around her petit frame. Making sure she was decent, she left the room to go and see how Willow was getting on in the main bedroom.

As she entered the bedroom again, she saw that Willow had set up a screen in the far corner of the room, this would be so that Elizabeth could get changed behind it and give her some privacy. Lady Darla had one quite similar.

Hearing the floorboards creak, Willow spun round startled.

“Oh! Elizabeth you made me jump!” Walking over to her, Willow ushered her over to where she had gently laid the dress out on the bed. “You didn’t tell me how gorgeous it was. Have you seen all the work that has gone into making it? It must have cost mast William a fortune. He must really like you. Do you think you will be able to keep it? Afterwards, I mean, or do you think he will want it back?”

That simple question posed a whole series of questions in Elizabeth’s head that she just wasn’t ready to answer just yet, where was her relationship with William really heading? “I don’t know, we haven’t really discussed it.” That answer seemed to satisfy Willow and she dropped the subject.

Carefully picking up the petticoats and corset, Willow handed them to Elizabeth.

“You go and put these on. When you get to the corset call me and I will come and help you fasten it up. It’s going to have to be tight though so that you fit it, so are you ready to learn how not to breath?” Elizabeth laughed at Willow’s joke, she knew full well how painful corsets could be. “As for the main body of the dress, we will wait to put that on. Make sure that it is the last thing that we do. We will do your hair and make-up first, that way the dress will end up less creased and we won’t end up spoiling it.” With that, she gave Elizabeth a little push towards the screen.

Once behind the screen, Elizabeth let the towel drop to the floor, before dressing in the undergarments William had given her. The fabrics were much nicer than what she had become accustomed to. They glided across her recently washed skin, making her whole body sing, and making her feel like a princess.

Once she was dressed in the numerous layers of under clothes, she picked up the hand made whalebone corset and stepped out from behind the screen.

“Well, Will. what do you think?”

Holding back a giggle, Willow looked at her best friend stood there in only her underwear. “Very nice, well then, should we get that corset on?”

“Sure.” Handing her the corset, Elizabeth turned her back to Willow. Placing her hand on the wall, she braced herself.

Willow placed it around Elizabeth’s torso and brought the ties round to the back. Placing her weight on the small of Elizabeth’s back, she started to pull the string tight. She had had lots of practice doing this to Lady Darla, yet doing it now it felt nothing short of torture for her best friend.

After 10 minutes of puffing, panting and struggling, Elizabeth was in the corset. Her movement was restricted and her she was struggling to breathe. She didn’t remember the last corset she wore feeling like this. Willow’s face was bright red from struggling with it.

Walking stiffly over to the dressing table, Elizabeth poured herself and Willow a glass of the champagne that they had been left. Carefully, she then sat on the little stool by the dressing table, ready for the next stage of the transformation.

Coming up behind her, Willow took the glass, and drank most of it one gulp. Placing the now half empty glass onto the table next to Elizabeth, she picked up the pearl handled brush and started to arrange Elizabeth’s hair.

Soon her hair looked like a fabulous beehive on top of her head. Elizabeth was unsure how Willow had managed to achieve such height with her thin hair, however she was not complaining. With her make-up finished, Elizabeth longed to see what she looked like. She knew the pale white on her face must make a vast difference to her appearance and couldn’t wait to see it.

Carefully stepping into the dress, Willow laced it up the back. Stepping into the shoes that where laid out on the floor, Elizabeth felt a complete transformation finally take over her. She was no longer the servant girl, she was the lady.

Taking out the perfume that her mother hand given her, she placed some on her pulse points. Picking up her bag and the fan, she turned to Willow.

“Well then, how do I look? Will I do?”

“You’ll more then do.” Willow couldn’t get over how fabulous her friend looked. “Here have a look for yourself.”

Leading her over to the mirror, she removed the blanket she had placed there earlier. Elizabeth stared at the reflection of the girl before her. The girl oozed class and refinement. Elizabeth couldn’t believe it was herself that she was looking at.

As she looked at herself, they heard a noise coming from the kitchen.

“You stay here Elizabeth, I’ll go and have a see what it is.”

Although Elizabeth didn’t like the idea of Willow going of on her own, she allowed her to go.

As Willow opened the door to the kitchen, she saw Master William pacing back and forth.

Hearing the door open, William spun round with a hopefully look on his face. He tried to mask his disappointment when he realised that it was Willow.

“Is she ready to go?” William nodded towards the bedroom where Willow had just come from.

“She’s all yours.”

Willow went to gather her shawl off the chair; she stopped when she felt William’s hand on her arm.

“Thank you for helping with everything tonight.”

“It was my pleasure, Master William.”

“Look Maggie isn’t expecting you back tonight, so go do what you want. When Osborne has taken Elizabeth and I, I can get him to come back for you if you want. Go do something fun tonight, you deserve it.” Slipping a few coins into her hand, he quickly stepped away from her.

A huge smile split Willow face, “Thank you so much, sir. Well I’ll get my things and let you be off.”

As Willow disappeared into the bedroom, Elizabeth entered the kitchen. William was lost for words. Never in his whole life had he seen something so amazingly beautiful. It was like an angel was stood before him. Swallowing a few times, it took him several attempts to be able to speak.

“You look… well, you look amazing.” Walking over to her, he stood within inches of her. “A few thing missing though.” Elizabeth looked down at her outfit wondering what she could possibly be missing, there wasn’t room to squeeze anything else in. Leaning in, William whispered in her ear. “Close your eyes”

Doing as she was told, she did just that. Feeling something cold go round her neck, she tried to open her eyes, only to find William stopping her.

“Ok now you can open your eyes.”

Opening them, Elizabeth saw the most beautiful diamond necklace ever. It shimmered in the candlelight. Looking up into William’s eyes, she smiled.

“Thank you.”

“It pales in comparison to your beauty. You’re effulgent.” Elizabeth’s smile grew. “One more thing and then we really should be off.” From behind his back, William produced a mask. Walking behind her, he secured it to Elizabeth’s face.

Elizabeth looked at him puzzled.

“Tonight, my dear, is a masquerade ball. We all go as who ever we want to be. Who do you want to be?”

Leaning up she whispered in his ear the two words that William would never forget. “I’m yours.”

Taking his hand, she led the stunned William out to the waiting carriage. Together they set off, the night promised to hold many excitements for them both.

TBC…
Masquerade by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Its the ball!!! I know I have had a big build up.. sorry! I hope you all like it! Please review it will get me writting faster. Thank you to my beta for these! She has the rest at the moment, so you may have to wait as she is very busy at the moment. I hope you like!!!!!!!!!!!
Chapter 25: Masquerade

Elizabeth stared in awe as she entered the gilded hall. There were women in fabulous dresses mulling around everywhere. Men seemed to be courting the ladies left, right and centre. A small orchestra were playing in the far corner, and in the centre of the room couples danced.

The whole scene before her seemed magical. Taking her arm, William led her further into the room.

“So, William, who’s ball are we at? I guess these are things I should know. Don’t want to look like I don’t belong do I?”

“Suppose not. Well love, the ball is hosted by Lord Winters and his wife. I think his wife has more say in it than he does. They host it every year. His wife loves a good masquerade, purely so she can go whore herself to the rest of the aristocratic types and no one will know the difference. But ours isn’t to question why. So, pet, are you ready for this?”

Nodding, she clung to his arm slightly tighter.

Watching as the Mayor started to approach them, he felt her tense next to him. Leaning over, William whispered in her ear before the mayor saw. “Relax, no one is going to recognise you, it’s a masquerade remember. Relax and try to have a good time.”

Feeling her relax slightly, William looked with unconcealed disgust at the man approaching them.

“Well then William, who’s this pretty little lady?”

“This is Elizabeth.”

Holding out his hand he shook Elizabeth’s. “Nice to meet you Elizabeth, tell me have we met before? You look awfully familiar.”

Knowing that the question would make Elizabeth panic, Spike stepped in to shield her from the mayor’s view.

“I highly doubt it, mate. Elizabeth is from America.”

“Oh gosh, I am sorry. Guess I was mistaken.” Leaning over he looked at Elizabeth from behind William’s back. “Would you like to dance, Miss Elizabeth?”

“No, thank you. I came with William, if I am going to dance with any one it will be with him.”

“Boy, she’s fiery isn’t she? You shouldn’t let her get too out of hand, you never know what might happen.”

“Richard, I suggest you push off.”

With a disgruntled huff, Mayor Wilkins turned his back on them and made his way back through the crowd to where Mr Winters stood.

As soon as he was out of earshot, Elizabeth turned to look at William with a desperate pleading looking on her face.

“William we should go, please. This was a bad idea, someone is bound to recognise us, and it will go bad for us both, you know it as much as I do. Please, William, can we just go.”

“Elizabeth,” taking her hand, he led her to the edge of the dance floor where seats were set up. Sitting her down, he knelt in front of her, making himself on eye level with her. “Look, Elizabeth, don’t let one little tosser get you all worked up. He is just a silly wanker who doesn’t deserve a second thought. Don’t let him spoil our night. We came to enjoy ourselves and that is what we are going to do. I promise no one is going to recognise you. Do you trust me, love?” At her weak nod, William leaned up and kissed her on her forehead. “Now then my lady, would you care to dance?”

Elizabeth looked at him shocked, “You dance?”

“Hey! I’m not totally useless. You telling me you can’t?”

“Of course I can dance.”

“Care to show me.”

“Ready for me to show you up with how good I am?”

Standing up, William held out his hand for Elizabeth, wearing his trademark smirk as he did. Together they walked out onto the dance floor. Their skin tingling and electric pulses darteing between them every time that they touched.

By the end of the dance, both were out of breath, however it wasn’t from the dancing.

Walking over to the punch table, William poured them both a large glass.

“Well then, Miss Elizabeth, having fun so far?”

“Yeah! Sorry… Yes, Mr Hartley, I am thank you.” William and Elizabeth burst out giggling as Elizabeth put on the best fake English accent she could manage.

As they remained at the table talking and laughing with each other, much like they did when at their picnics, they blocked out everyone else in the room. Suddenly William realised the whole room had gone silent. In the centre of the dance floor, a young man was stood. He wore the houses servant uniforms. When the entire room was silent he made himself heard.

“Dinner, is served.”

It was suddenly like mass migration. Everyone in the room started to leave and head towards the formal dinning room.

“I guess that means us too, are you ready, pet?”

Placing her half empty glass down next to the punch bowl, she took his arm and allowed him to lead her.

When they entered the dining room, Elizabeth’s voice once more caught in her throat. The room was the same size as the room they had just been it, but looked twice the size as large mirrors lined the walls. Looking up at the high ceilings, Elizabeth saw the shimmering chandelier. In the room, were set out numerous circular tables.

“Mrs. Winters’ cook goes all out each year. Creates the most amazing feasts. It really is a marvel.”

Taking their seats at table furthest away from everyone, they sat and waited for the rest of the tables to fill.

Once everyone had come through from the main hall and found a seat, William’s and Elizabeth’s table being the least occupied with only themselves and one other couple sharing it with them, the food was served.

William was right, the food was superb. Although due to the tight restraints from her corset she found that she could eat very little, and was left to just stare at the food in front of her and attempt little bites.

When they had finished eating, the men went to go into the smoking room, while the ladies gathered around the piano. However not knowing anyone, Elizabeth felt awkward going to spend time with these women. Faking a headache brought on by the champagne, she went and took an evening stroll in the gardens.

As she came down the stairs and into the garden, she wasn’t looking where she was going, she was glancing up at the stars. Suddenly someone jumped out from behind the bushes and placed his hands over her mask-covered eyes causing Elizabeth to squeal.

William quickly put a hand over her mouth to stop her squealing, he didn’t want other party members coming to find out what the noise was.

“Shh love, its me.”

“William, What are you doing?” As she turned to face him, she hit him in the chest with her fan.

“Saw you come out here and thought you might want some company.”

“Oh you did, did you? Well thank you, kind sir, that would be very nice.”

Hand in hand, together they walked around the gardens talking. Stopping by the fountain, they sat on the side of it and looked into each other’s eyes.

“Thank you for tonight, William, I am having a wonderful time.” Leaning over she placed a gentle kiss on Williams’s lips.

William deepened the kiss in response. Wrapping her arms around his neck, Elizabeth brought herself closer to him. She smiled against his lips. He smelt and tasted heavenly. Tonight really was the most magical night she could have hoped for. She felt wonderful and had a wonderful man to share it with.

“I love you, Elizabeth Summers.”

Elizabeth smiled up at him, “I know.” Placing another gentle kiss on his lips, she didn’t have time to mask the yawn as she pulled away.

“Tired?”

“A little. Sorry, tough day at work, I have this boss and he is a real tyrant, makes me work really hard, but I suppose he has his good points to, like taking me out tonight.”

“I think I should give this boss a good seeing to for being a tyrant to you.” Smiling, he stood up and placed a simple kiss on her hand. “You wait here, pet, I’ll just go and tell the hostess that we are off.”

“Don’t be long.”

“I won’t.” With one last look, he walked back into the crowded hall.

Elizabeth stared up at the stars. She knew things would be difficult and not the most ideal of situations, but her and William could make a go of this. She was going to try.

A few moments later, William appeared back by her side. “Right, pet, all set. Are you ready to go? Osborne is waiting outside.”

Talking her hand, he helped her stand. Together they walked back to the waiting carriage, safe in the knowledge that they were safe and no one had recognised them. Or so they thought.

***
Harmony Kendell watched from behind the bush as she heard William confess his love to the girl he had brought with him.

“I love you Elizabeth Summers”

The name rang a bell. Suddenly Harmony remembered where she had heard that name. She was the Hartley’s servant. William Hartley was in love with a servant.

As she watched the two love birds walk off together, Harmony vowed that William would regret the day he had chosen a servant over her. Walking back to the hall once they had gone, she started to plot her best revenge… to take away the thing William cherished the most.

TBC….

Please review... It only takes a second!
Dismissal by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Hey guys... I am sorry that there has been so long between updates, I have had a lot going on at the moment, as I am sure some of you know. As for this chapter, i know you may all hate me afterwards, but bare with me, I promise all will be good in the end!!! Just bare with me. I will try to update again soon as soon as possible.
Chapter 26: dismissal

Buffy and Spike had arrived back at the manor at about 11 o’ clock. They gave each other a goodnight kiss that would leave impressions on each other’s mind for a long time to come. They both then disappeared silently back to their own rooms.

Buffy made sure that no one saw her as she was still dressed in the beautiful gown that Spike had given her. As she struggled to get it off single-handedly she thought about the wonderful night that she had had. Spike had put so much effort into making it perfect for her, and he had. He had done everything for her, thinking this would have been the first ball she had ever attended, if only he knew the truth.

As she carefully hid the dress under her bed, she made a mental note to remember to ask William if he would like the dress back, they still hadn’t discussed it.

Putting on her nightdress she climbed into her bed. The sheets where cold against her bare skin. Pulling them up to her chin, Buffy snuggled down into the bed. Her head had barely touched the pillow when she fell into a peaceful dream filled sleep.

***
Waking up the following morning Buffy could barely contain the smile on her face. She had spent the night dreaming of William. Climbing out of bed, she went and washed her face. Standing up straight she then went and picked up her uniform, she was about to put it on when she changed her mind. Putting down the undergarments she reached under the bed and pulled out the petticoats that matched the dress. Without putting the hoops on no one but her would know she was wearing them, the thought gave her a slight thrill.

Once she was dressed in the exquisite undergarments she slipped on her black dress. Glancing at herself in the mirror her cheeks where slightly flushed from the reminder of the previous night. Tying her hair back, she went downstairs to the kitchen before anyone would realise she was late.

***
When she reached the kitchen there was a lot of chatter going on. Spotting Willow over in the corner she went and pulled her to one side.

“Will, What’s going on?”

Willow looked at Elizabeth with concern “Umm, I’m not really sure. Umm, something about Harmony has just turned up.”

“Will, it six in the morning, what’s she doing here?”

“Well she made Amy, umm go wake Master Liam up. Told her she had something really important to, umm, well tell him.”

“What could possibly be so important that she has to come this early.” Realisation dawned on Elizabeth face; Willow was keeping something from her. “Will, what are you not telling me?”

“It’s probably nothing…”

“But…”

“Well, umm, she said it had something to do with Master William. But she didn’t say anything else. Everyone thinks she is here to, umm, propose marriage. I am so sorry Elizabeth. But, It’s a good match for the family, and they will probably go through with it.”

It felt like the air had suddenly left the room, everything around her went quiet. She didn’t even notice Willow slip away from her. How could William marry someone he didn’t love, did that mean that really she meant nothing to him? How could this be happening after last night?

Looking around her she noticed no one had seen her slip inside herself. Quietly she went and sat down at the table and waited until breakfast was served. However, her mind was no longer in the room, it was thinking back to everything that had happened between her and William. Had everything he had said and done been a lie?

As the noise of the room slowly dulled Elizabeth looked up to see everyone sat at the table about to eat. Taking her spoon, she too dug into the porridge in front of her.

When they had all eaten and everything had been cleared away, Maggie turned to look at everyone.

“Regardless of what is going on in the main seating room, there is still a house hold to run and jobs to be done. Now Miss Summers and Miss Rosenberg are back we can get some work done.”

She then gave everyone several jobs to do, before turning herself to tackle the breakfast that would have to be made for the masters of the house.

Silently everyone departed the kitchen.

Elizabeth went about her jobs being careful not to think about things she knew she shouldn’t be dwelling on. If William chose to marry Harmony that was his choice, she couldn’t change that.

***
At about 10 o’clock just as Elizabeth got back to the kitchen, Maggie turned to look at her. “Miss Summers you are required in the main seating room.”

Elizabeth looked at Maggie with a puzzled expression on her face, she dimly remembered Maggie saying that the talks were going on in there, what would they need her for?

Quietly she turned from the kitchen and headed to where she was needed.

As she entered the room, Lady Darla was stood right in front of her, Harmony was sat perched on the window seat, and Master Liam was stood just behind his wife. William was nowhere to be seen.

As she stepped forward bowing slightly, Darla slapped her right across the face. As she had been looking down at the time she hadn’t seen it coming and the blow sent her reeling.

“You little whore. What makes you think William would want you?” She spoke the ‘you’ as though Elizabeth was something disgusting that she had trodden in.

Elizabeth looked up wide-eyed at Darla, clutching her check in her hand; it burned red under her fingers. It was Master Liam who spoke first; he spoke with the calm malice that Elizabeth had come to associate with him.

“Now Miss Kendal here has come this morning telling me some very interesting information. Apparently my little William has been trying to seduce you. I bet you spread your legs for him just like some common harlot, didn’t you?”

Elizabeth didn’t know what to do, should she plead ignorance as to what they were talking about, or admit the affair. “It wasn’t like that Sir.”

“Oh so you admit do you?” Elizabeth looked at Darla’s cold, calculated looks; they sent shivers right down her spine. “Answer me.”

“Madam, William did nothing wrong.” Elizabeth heard Harmony snort as she said that, but refused to look at her.

“Did nothing wrong? He took a servant to a ball, his reputation will be in tatters.”

Suddenly it all became crystal clear just how Harmony had found out about them, she must have seen them at the ball. She knew someone would have recognised her.

“I’m sorry.”

This time it was Darla who laughed, “Sorry? Do you know what you have done?”

Elizabeth held her head down in shame; she had spoiled everything, just like always. She felt Liam walking up to her, but still didn’t look up.

Suddenly she felt his hand on her leg, lifting her dress. She tried to fight his hands off, but it was too late, everyone in the room had already seen the elegant undergarments.

Darla looked at her with disgust. “Leave, you are dismissed. I never want to see you near my home again. Don’t ever think of going near William again. I know things about you that I know you don’t want him to know.”

Without looking back Elizabeth left he room. As soon as she had shut the door behind her, she let the tears fall. Walking toward her room to pack up her things ready to leave she bumped into William. He looked down into her teary face.

“Elizabeth, love, what’s wrong? What’s happened?”

“I’m sorry William. Goodbye.” Placing a chaste kiss on his lips she pushed past him and ran straight to her room. William would be better off without her.

William watched as the girl he loved fled from him, what had happened this morning, what had made her so upset? As he saw Darla and Harmony coming out of the room in front of him, the room Elizabeth must have just left, he knew the answers would be in there.

Walking in he saw Liam stood by the window. “What did you do to her?”

Hearing Williams enraged voice Liam turned round. “I guess you saw your lover then. Not going to give her a lasting goodbye? It’s the last you will ever see of her.”

William saw red over his callous words. Walking over to him he punched Liam right in the face. “I said, what the hell did you do?”

He punched William back “We know my boy, we all know. At least when I fuck the little whore, I don’t spread the news to the world.”

William raised his knee up into Liam’s stomach, winding him and making him fold over. “Don’t you dare call Elizabeth that, she is more than you will ever be.”

Liam stood up, and gave an evil laugh. “She has really twisted you round her finger hasn’t she? Did she make you think you are in love? It must kill you to know that I got there first.” Liam rained blow after blow down on William. “The ball must have been your idea, she’s too stupid to think of that.”

Grabbing hold of the wrist that was coming towards his face, William gained the advantage, “I said, hold, your, tongue.” Liam was left in a heap on the floor.

Giving him one last kick to the stomach William turned and started to walk away from him. As he heard Liam’s voice call out to him he didn’t turn back.

“It won’t change anything Willy boy, everyone knows now, she won’t ever come back to you, not now. I hope you had fun with her while you could, I know she could have done with the practise, I am sure you showed her that. Maybe I’ll have another go now.”

As William left the room, Liam laughed, coughing up small amounts of blood, he lay on the floor and looked up at the ceiling. William really was a fool for love.

***
After finding her room bare William walked bloody and bruised back to his own room. As he opened the door, he saw something on his bed.

Walking over to it, he saw that it was the dress he had given to Elizabeth. On top of the dress was a simple note from her. Picking it up, he read it before slumping to the floor.

“Dear William,
Thank you for everything. I wish I could have been everything you wanted and needed, but I couldn’t. Here is your beautiful gift back. I am sorry William.
Yours, Elizabeth."


A slow mournful tune filled the house as Darla played the piano in the grand hallway; William read the note again and again. She was really gone, but would he ever see her again?

TBC…….

Please just stick with me... oh and a review would be nice!!!
Prospects by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Two updates in one week... the world may collapse!!! Thank you to Louise for beta-ing these for me!!!! Please leave me a review and I will get another chapter out to you soon. Once again, trust me.
Chapter 27: Prospects

It was several weeks after Buffy had been dismissed and William hadn’t heard anything from her. He had tried to go round to her home several times but had been stop by her over protective brother each time. Alex had made it quite clear that Elizabeth didn’t want to see him.

He kept talking to Willow in hopes that she had was talking to Elizabeth but she wouldn’t say anything either.

Ever since that day, the house had taken on a sombre edge. William knew it was less to do with Elizabeth’s departure and more to do with the fact that he had beaten his father. The whole household seemed in a state of total shock. Since that day William hadn’t talked to either Liam or Darla.

Harmony kept trying to take William’s mind of Elizabeth, but he would have nothing to do with the traitorous bitch. He knew it had been her that had told Peaches and Darla of their affair.

Day after day, Harmony came round to comfort him, but the only comfort William found was in the bottle of bourbon that was brought to him each day.

The household watched as he started to become unrecognisable from the man that he had been when Elizabeth was around. He spent most of his days drunk and would lose his temper at a moments notice. It appeared nothing could calm him.

As he sat at his window staring at the grounds as the fog started to settle, he imagined Elizabeth walking back to him. So taken up on his fantasy he didn’t hear the door open.

Feeling a hand on his thigh he opened his eyes, hoping his fantasy was reality. But like every other time it was just a dream. Sat on the seat in front of him was Harmony.

“Oh Willy, I thought you where asleep.”

“What do you want?” Spikes voice was croaky and rough from the alcohol he had already drunk today.

“I came to see you.”

“Why won’t you sodding just leave.” Pushing her off the chair, she fell onto her bottom on the floor, with a bump. Standing up he stalked to his desk.

“Blondie bear, why are you doing this to yourself? She didn’t deserve you. It’s for the best.”

“Shut up you bint you have no idea what you are talking about. Elizabeth is 100 times the person you ever are.”

Harmony felt tears spring to her eyes, “I had to do it, William. She was killing you. I couldn’t let her do that. I had to tell everyone what you where doing.”

Spike clenched his teeth, spinning round he smashed the bottle he was holding to the floor. “Get out, leave me alone.”

Slowly Harmony stood up and walked to the door, she didn’t know how to deal with his anger. As she opened the door, she turned to look at him. “I’m sorry William.”

The words reminded him of the last thing Elizabeth had ever said to him and sent him even further into a rage. Picking up a glass he threw it at the door that Harmony had just left through. Grabbing the bottle of scotch off his desk, he gulped the content down.

He couldn’t go on like this something would have to change.

***
Buffy stared out the window. She wondered what William was doing now, did he even miss her, and did he miss her half as much as she missed him? Turning away from the window she forced the thoughts of Spike back down to where they belonged.

Walking over to the kitchen she picked up a spoon and went and helped her mom make the stew for the evening.

When she had come home with her face a mess from tears, her mother had taken her back in without any question, which Buffy was truly thankful for. Dawn however had not had the same consideration, asking her lots of questions about why she didn’t have a job any more and why had she come home, questions Elizabeth wasn’t ready to answer.

She had suspicions that Spike had tried to come and see her, particularly in the first few days since her absence, but she had left Alex to handle it.

Now she was home she was helping every way she could. The house was a tight squeeze with everyone now living there and she knew feeding an extra person must be hard for her mother as they only had one wage coming in at the moment but she never once heard her mother complain.

As she stirred the stew, Dawn came in from outside and sat at the kitchen table.

“Whatcha making?”

“Food”

“Clever. I can see that. I meant what food?”

“Stew” Buffy never turned away from the pan she was stood at, keeping her back at her sister.

“God, you know what? You where more fun when you had a job and I never saw you. What happened to you?”

“More than you can imagine.”

Huffing, Dawn left the table and went to go and annoy Giles who was sat in his usual chair, reading.

Anne started crying, knowing that Anya had gone for a lie down, Buffy walked over to her niece and picked her up.

“Now then little one, what’s all this kafuffle about?” The young child just carried on crying. “You sound like you are having a tough a time as I am.” Knowing she was going to wake Anya, Buffy decided that she’d take her for a walk.

“Dawnie, I am taking Anne for a little walk, do you want to come with?”

“Sure.” Hopping up she grabbed her shawl and followed Buffy out the door.

***
They where gone longer than they thought they would be and when they returned they knew Alex would already be home. As they opened the door the sombre mood of the house hit them. Stood in the centre of the room was a short little man, with a bolding head and large ears.

Alex stood in the far corner and looked about ready to hit the man, Giles would stood facing the ugly little man talking to him and Joyce seemed about ready to cry.

Buffy had a feeling she knew who this man was and didn’t want Dawn around him. “Dawnie you go upstairs honey.”

Dawn went without question; she could see when she shouldn’t be around.

As Dawn passed him, the short man turned to look at Buffy. “You? You live here too?”

“Yes, I’m Joyce’s daughter.”

“I’m Mr. Snyder. Your landlord.” He said with such a sneer as though it was the most important job in the world, when really he was a worthless little man.

Snyder then turned back to Joyce ignoring Giles “Well Mrs Summers, You have enough people living here to make the rent twice over, maybe I should raise it. I expect it paid by next week, no more excuses. Or we may have to find another way for you to pay off your rent.” He gave Joyce a leer that left no doubt as to his meaning.

Suddenly he found Giles up very close and very menacing. “You’ll get your money you little twerp, but if you so much as lay a finger on Joyce, lets just say things will go badly.” Throwing his hat at him, Giles then showed him where the door was.

When the door had closed Buffy turned to look at her mother. “Mom what was all that about?”

“Oh nothing darling, come on let’s eat.” Turning away from her Joyce started to lay the table.

“No! Mom, tell me.” Hearing the forceful tone in her daughter’s voice she turned to look at her. Heaving a sigh she decided she aught to tell her.

“We are just having a bit of trouble paying the rent this month, dear. Alex’s wage went on luxuries such as food. But its ok darling, we will sort something out, we always do.”

Buffy was shocked, she thought that they where surviving, clearly she was wrong. “This is all my fault.”

“What? Oh no dear, none of this is your fault.” Joyce went over to give Buffy a hug.

“Yes it is? I got the sack. You needed that money and I let you down just like I let everyone down. Now I am back here, eating the money.”

“Honey, none of this is your fault. We will sort something out I promise.”

Dawn came running down the stairs, clearly having listened to the whole conversation. “Mom I could get a job, help pay for the rent and things. I could go into service. Work in one of the big manors. I could do that.”

It was Elizabeth who spoke up. “No. Dawnie I won’t let you.”

“Why not? Its good enough for you, but not me, is that it?”

“Dawn you are fourteen years old, I won’t let you get a job yet.”

“Well what else are we going to do then, you can’t go back into a manor after everyone knows you were fired from one, Giles is too old to work, and Anya has Anne. How else are we going to make money?”

“I’ll find a different job Dawn. Not all jobs involve servants. I’m sure I am good at something else as well. Alex? The mines are always hiring aren’t they?”

“Well umm Buff it’s not very safe.”

“Its money isn’t it? Look we will be fine. I promise.”

Forcing a smile she hugged her sister, together they went and sat down at the table, with the prospect of Buffy getting a potentially deadly job hanging over all their heads.

TBC…

A/N: Please please please leave me a review.
New jobs by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
The next few jobs are all slightly un-spuffy, but stick with me, I'm a spuffy girl at heart. I will try and get these chapters all out over the next week, so that the nonspuffy part is done with, So please don't hate me!!! And please please please leave me a review
Chapter 28: New prospects.

As Alex left the house early the following morning, Buffy picked up her shawl and followed him out of the cottage.

As they walked towards the mines together, Buffy took the opportunity to quiz Alex about what the job would entail and what she should say.

“So, big brother, what do I need to know?”

“I’m still not happy about you doing this, Buffy. Surely there must be other jobs, other manors you can work in. Something, Buffy.”

Buffy heaved a deep sigh. “Alex, I can’t work as a servant again. Liam will have made sure of that, but I have to work. This is the only way. You understand don’t you? I have to do this.”

“Yeah, I understand.” Sighing he turned to look at his sister. “Ok. So listen carefully and I will tell you all you will ever need to know. When we get there, you need to find a guy called Ethan Rayne. He doesn’t dress as well as he could, but nowhere near as poor as us. Anyway you need to look for him, he’s the mine boss. He can be a bit malicious, but he’s ok. Unless it’s brought up, don’t mention you have never done mine work, he wants people with experience, ok? You getting all this?”

Buffy nodded her head eagerly.

“Right let’s carry on walking then.” As they set off walking again, Alex carried on telling her everything that she would need to know. “If he does ask, don’t lie. He has a way of knowing when you are lying. If he asks, just tell him that while you have never done this kind of work before, you are a fast learner and very dedicated. Make sure that you point out that you can start straight away, that’s what he’s looking for. Apart from that just be your normal charming self. You’ll do good Buff.” Ruffling her hair in an affectionate way, he smiled at her.

After several moments of silence Buffy spoke up. “Alex? Do you think I can do this?” Her voice was small and her insecurities shone through.

Alex stopped once more to look at her, causing Buffy to stop as well. “You mean the interview or the actual job? Because personally, I think you will breeze the interview.”

“And what about the job?”

Concern was etched on Alex’s face as he spoke. “I’m not gonna lie to you Buff, the job is hard and scary and dangerous. But in the same respect you are a very strong young woman, and I know that you can do whatever you set your mind to. I have faith in you Buffy.”

Smiling she gave her brother a hug.

“Now come on you, we should get there before I lose my job too.”

Without a word they both carried on towards the mines.

***
As the sight of the mines loomed over the hill, Buffy and Alex went their separate ways. Hugging each other as a form of luck, Buffy set off in search of Ethan.

Buffy heart was thumping in her chest as she entered the mines courtyard. The place was crowded, people where milling about everywhere. Horses seemed to being led from all directions pulling carts laden down with coal. From several entrances to the pits, men and women where emerging, their features hardly recognisable from the black soot that covered them.

Standing on tiptoes Buffy tried to see above the heads of all the people, hoping she would catch a glimpse of. Stepping back so that she could try and get a better look, she didn’t see the person behind her.

Feeling something soft beneath her foot and hearing someone make a pain noise behind her, Buffy spun round.

Stood in front of her was a well-dressed gentleman with sandy blond hair. He was tall and well built.

“Oh god, I am so sorry. I didn’t see you standing there.” Buffy tried sheepishly to apologise to the man.

“Its okay. That was bracing. It’s not even nine o’clock and I have already been trodden on.” The man spoke with a smile, which made Buffy smile as well. “Look at me, I have forgotten my manners in all of this pandemonium… I’m Mr Finn.”

Tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, Buffy looked at him. “I’m Eli…Miss Summers” Realising she was about to say Elizabeth she quickly amended it, she didn’t want people, namely Mr Finn connecting her with what went on at the Hartley Manor.

“Its nice to meet you Miss Summers. Can I help you, you seemed lost.”

“Oh. I was looking for Mr Rayne. But I can’t see over all the people.”

“Here I’ll take you to his office.” Buffy headed the way that he was pointing. Slowing down so that he could join her side. “Unfortunately Miss Summers, I am going to have to leave you. But that’s Ethan’s office just there.”

“Thank you.” Turning she headed to the office and knocked gentle on the door. As she stood she watched the man disappear back into the crowd.

The way he walked and his clothes reminded her so much of her William. Heaving a sigh as the office door opened, Buffy turned to the man stood in front of her with a smile.

“Hello Mr Rayne?” The man stood in front of her was slender and had slicked back black hair.

“Hello, miss…?” Buffy noted that he spoke with an English accent. Again it just served to remind her of William, everything today seemed to be a stark reminder. Ethan’s accent seemed different from Williams though. She assumed that he was from a different area of England then he was.

“Summers.”

“How may I help you Miss Summers?”

“I’m here about a job.”

“Ah, magnificent, do you want to come into my office?” Stepping aside he let Buffy move past him. Once she was in the office he closed the door behind him.

***
“Well Miss Summers, You certainly make a interesting plea. I truly am sorry. But I can’t just give you a job.”

“I understand.” Buffy tried to muster a smile. Picking up her shawl, she stood up, facing Ethan. “Thank you for your time.”

Walking past him she walked out the office and straight in to Mr Finn who was stood by the day.

“Sorry.” Walking past him without really looking at him, Buffy carried on walking, tears stung her eyes.

Riley stood on the step staring at the young girl he had met earlier. Turning to Ethan he looked at the man who he held with no regard. “Who is that girl?”

“Ah Miss Summers. Her brother works for us. She thought she could just come and get work. Well, old man, are you coming inside, we can talk business.”

Riley stared through slit eyes at the weasel in front of him, he hated when he called him ‘Old man’. “Mr Rayne. If you wish for me to keep sponsoring your business then I suggest you go after Miss Summers and offer her the job. Otherwise I may be inclined to take my money elsewhere.”

Taking the hint, Ethan picked his jacket off the back of the door and ran after Buffy.

Catching up to her he caught her by the arm. “Miss Summers, so glad I caught you. It appears there has been a change of circumstances. When can you start?”

Buffy started at him, unsure of what he was saying. “Are you offering me a job?”

“Yes. When can you start?”

“Now!” Buffy was in awe.

“Good. Go and find a girl called Faith Lehane. She has dark hair and a loud mouth. She’ll get you started.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Turning away from her, Ethan walked back to his office, he could see that the little blond girl had had an effect on his sponsor. Now all he had to do was find a way to manipulate that to his best advantage.

As he walked away, Buffy caught sight of Alex. Deciding her best chance at find Faith was to ask him, she sauntered over.

“Hey Alex.”

“Well Buff, did you get the job?”

A smile broke over Buffy’s face. “You are now looking at an official pit worker. Can you help me though? I have to find a girl called Faith.”

“Over there.” Alex pointed to a girl stood over by the loading bay, she seemed to be have numerous men all surrounding her, and Buffy could tell she was slyly pushing her skirt up as she talk, letting the men glance at her slender legs.

“Thanks Alex.” Leaving him Buffy started walking over to her.

“Buffy?” Turning back to Alex she looked at her brother. “Did Ethan say why you got the job?”

“No.” A confused look crossed over her face. As she turned and started walking back towards the girl Buffy could help wondering, what had happened in the few moments after she left Ethan’s office that could make things change so much that she would get a job she didn’t have moments before. Thoughts plagued her mind. Was he playing with her the way Liam had? Did he want something else from her?

Deciding to banish the thoughts, she carried on her course towards Faith. Today was certainly going to be a day of new experiences.

TBC…

Please review!!! No one shoot me please.. just have faith.
Proposals by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Told you I woul post these in quick sucssion to try and get them over with. I'll be posting again on Friday. Please leave me lots of reviews by then. It would put lots of smiles of my face that seem sadly lacking at the moment. Thank you!
Chapter 29: Proposals.

Stepping into the crowd of people, Buffy walked over to the girl.

“Umm, Faith?”

The dark haired girl looked up at her. “Depends who’s asking.” As she turned to look at Buffy, the boys surrounding her suddenly lost interest now they where no longer commanding her attention. Slowly they started to depart and get back to work.

“Hi, I’m Buffy. Ethan sent me over. I’m new here. He said you could show me round.”

“Fair enough. Follow me B.” Walking off she left Buffy to follow.

After showing her around the mine, Buffy got straight into work.

The mines were a lot worse than she had ever imagined. They were dark and cramped, and Buffy found it hard to breathe. As the day went by Buffy started to get used to the harsh conditions and the pace at which she worked sped up as well.

Ethan soon found that he had made a good discovery with Miss Summers. He was soon to find that she would be even better than he had first imagined.

***
Within a few months, Buffy had gotten into a routine. She had become better at her job and was seen as a useful employee.

Joyce still worried about her as she went to work everyday. She knew that the mines weren’t safe, they weren’t built securely. Every time her children went off to work, Joyce worried that this may be the day they had a cave in. This may be the last time she ever saw them.

Every night when they came home safe, Joyce breathed a sigh of relief.

As for Buffy, in Faith, she had found a sort of friend. Although the girl was loud and brash, Buffy could see she would be willing to help if it was needed. The two girls worked next to each other day after day.

After only a week of knowing her, Buffy had found out about Faith’s evening activities.

“So B. Why you doing this job? Good girl like you, tons of jobs you could be doing. Sure as hell a lot safer jobs.”

“We need the money. I’m not good with other jobs.”

“Fair enough. You know there are ways of earning extra money on the side. Enough to see you and your family comfortably through.”

“Yeah?”

“Real easy job. All you have to do is lie on your back. The men come flocking.”

“Faith, are you a…” Buffy looked suitably shocked.

“Hell B, its good money. And one of the few things I am actually good at. You should give it go. The guys would really go for a blushing virgin like you.”

“Faith! No! I will definitely ... probably not be doing that.”


Buffy knew she would never do what Faith did, however the thought of the money was tempting. Although her family was now surviving, but they where no way close to being well off. Nothing was like how it used to be.

As the days went on Buffy found herself pining for William less and less. Though her heart still ached whenever she thought of him and how they had parted, she started to deal with her emotions.

Her heart still belonged to him, and she was sure it always would, how could she ever love another? While her heart ached for him though, her head told her she could never really be with him; they didn’t live in a fairy tale. So Buffy got on with her life, one day at a time.

The more she worked at the mine, the more Buffy came into acquaintance with Mr Finn. Every time that she was there, he seemed to be around as well. He would often come over to talk to her. Since their first meeting Buffy had learnt from Faith that he was very high up, with connections with the mine. He was the sponsor or something along those lines. Everyone seemed to tread very carefully around him. Buffy cared very little for him, but she tolerated him for the sake of her job, she knew she couldn’t afford to lose another; it would put her family in too hard a financial situation. So when he spoke to her she spoke pleasantly back.

It was on a Wednesday afternoon after she had finished work that he came up to her.

“Miss Summers. I have been looking for you.”

“Hello Mr Finn.”

“Call me Riley, I have told you before.” He handed her a wet towel to wash her hands and face with.

“Sorry.” Taking the towel she washed her face until she was less covered in soot and her features could be seen again. “Did you want something Riley?”

“I need to ask you something very important. But here isn’t the place. May I come around to your home tonight, Miss Summers?”

Slightly taken aback by his formal attitude, Buffy agreed. “Sure Sir. Do you know where I live?”
“Revello Lane, isn’t it?” Unsure how he knew where she lived Buffy just nodded, slightly dazed. “Well then Miss Summers I will be there for 7 o’clock. Goodbye for now.” Bending down he took her soot-covered hand in his and placed a gentle kiss on the back of it. The simple kiss sent her reeling, reminding her of the exact same thing William had done.

By the time that she had snapped out of her daze, Riley was at the other side of the yard and mounting his horse. Shaking her head, she turned for where he was and set off walking back home.

As she reached the village, she slowed her pace down. Buffy enjoyed strolling slowly through and taking in what everyone was doing. People just going about their everyday lives.

Today however Buffy was in for a shock.

As she walked past the bakers, she saw Mr. Lillian talking with Mrs. Kroger the town’s local gossip. Slowing down so she could over hear what they where saying, she walked very slowly behind them.

“Have you heard? Miss Emerson is back.”

At the mention of Drusilla’s name, Buffy’s ears picked up. Speeding up just slightly she walked a little closer to the pair so she could hear what they where talking about more clearly.

“What does that little witch want?” Mrs Kroger spoke the name with disgust.

“Apparently she is set to be married.”

“Which unfortunate soul is marring that harlot?”

“I remember Miss Grove saying that his first name began with a W.”

“William.” Buffy felt the air rush out of her as she whispered the name.

The pair in front of her didn’t hear her, and Mr Lillian carried on talking. “Apparently he is still madly in love with her, despite everything she did. Proposed to her as soon as she came back here.”

“Oh well, more fool him.” The pair then moved onto other talk of the day, and Miss Emerson’s soon-to-be marriage was promptly forgotten.

Buffy felt as though she couldn’t breath as she stood stock-still. Could it really be true? Could William really be marrying her? Guess he really was over her. As tears stung her eyes Buffy pushed past the pair and practically ran home.

Pushing the door of the cottage open she ran straight into Dawn.

“Careful Buffy!” As she looked at her sister she saw her tear stained face. “What’s wrong?”

Buffy saw the concern on her sister’s face. “Spike’s getting married Dawnie.”

Dawn’s face dropped. She had secretly hoped that her sister and Spike would reconcile their differences. She liked the guy after all. Now it seemed as though all hope of that was lost. How could he do this to her? She was sure that he had loved her. “Oh God. Buffy I am so sorry.”

“Its ok, Dawnie. I guess we weren’t meant to be. Look, I am going to go and have a bath and get clean. Will you tell mom?”

Smiling at her sister’s bravery, Dawn smiled. “Sure.”

***
Heating the water and pouring it into the tin bath, Buffy climbed in, and in the water she finally let her tears fall fully. Sobs wracked her body, as the pain of what she heard overcame her. Her heart felt broken and unable to mend. William was never going to be hers again.

She finally let her hopes and dreams fly away.

As her tears subsided, Buffy climbed out the water and dressed in the simplest dress she could find and went and joined her family. They noted that she was very meek and quiet that night, but not one of them said anything. It was not their place to say.

At exactly 7 o’clock there was a light tap at the door. Completely forgetting the visit that she had agreed to earlier, Buffy looked at the door, puzzled. Standing up from the chair she was sat reading at, she went and answered it.

On the other side door stood a smartly dressed Riley. As he stood looking at her, Buffy remembered their conversation earlier.

“Hey Riley. Umm do you want to come in?”

“Thank you.” Stepping aside to let him in, Buffy held the door open.

Looking round the room, Riley saw that her entire family seemed to be spread about the room.

“Is there somewhere quiet we could go? I would like to talk to you in private.”

“Umm, yeah.” Looking round Buffy saw that the only quiet place would be to stand in the kitchen area. “Is over there ok?”

Riley saw where she was pointing and nodded. As they walked into the kitchen he turned to face her.

“I like you Miss Summers. I am sure you are aware of my feelings for you, and I hope that you share in my feelings.” Stepping back from her he went down onto one knee, and took her hand in his. “Miss Summers, would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?”

Taken aback by his request, she stared into his deep eyes. Tearing her eyes away she looked around at her family, and how they were going about their lives. Watching them, Buffy made her choice.

TBC…

Now please leave me a pretty review, it will only take a few moments!!
Too late by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Promise and update and here it is.. sorry for the out cry from the last chapter. The more you review the quick I can get these updates up!!! Not bribary at all!!! Hope you like.
Chapter 30: Too late

Looking around at her family, she saw Giles sat reading a tattered book that she knew he had read at least several times. Anya sat trying to nurse her small child and with another on the way. Dawn sat by the fire writing in one of her books, and though her mother tried to hide it, Buffy could tell that she was she was counting their money to try and make it last as long as they possibly could.

Looking back at the man knelt in front of her; she saw his finery and riches spread before her. Buffy knew what she had to do. It was her right to do what ever she could to help her family.

Heaving a sigh, she let the last of her dreams sink away. “Yes. My answer is yes.” As she said the words, a single tear leaked down her cheeks. A part of her was now lost for ever.

Standing up Riley embraced her in his arms. “You have made me a very happy man.”

Forcing a smile onto her face she looked at him.

“Well them my wonderful fiancée, would you like to do the honours and tell your family?”

“Sure.” Holding back the tears, over what her life had become, Buffy turned away from Riley. “Mom, Giles, Alex, everyone. Would you come over here?”

“Of course darling.” Placing the coins back where they where from Joyce walked over to the kitchen area where everyone was gathered around the table.

“Mom, everyone. I would like you to meet, Mr. Finn. My fiancé.”

Everyone stared wide eyes at the couple.

“What? Buff what’s going on?”

Buffy looked at her older brother. “I’m getting married Alex.”

“But why? Sorry Finn, I don’t mean to disrespect you. Just trying to work out why, she’s never mentioned you before.”

“I assure you that I have your sister’s best interests at heart. I love your sister and intend to marry her as soon as the vicar sees fit.”

Buffy tried not to look down trodden as she heard this. Could she really do this, could she really marry him for the sake of her family? Would she lose all semblance of herself if she did this?

It was Anya that broke the tension around the room. “Well I think they are going to be very happy together and have lots of fat children and live a happy life with lots of money.” Bored by the whole event, she went and sat back down with Anne.

Riley turned to look at his bride-to-be. “I am afraid my love, that I must leave you. But I will see you tomorrow. You won’t have to work down that mine much longer. No wife of mine will be seen working.”

Smiling, she walking him to the door. Leaning over he went to kiss Buffy who turned her head at the last minute so he only kissed her cheek. Riley didn’t seem to notice her frosty behaviour towards him. “Goodnight, my love.”

“Goodnight.”

Closing the door she let her back slump against it. Suddenly everyone started talking at her at once.

“Buffy? Why are you marring that man? Buffy?”

“Buff? What’s going on? Is there something you aren’t telling us?”

“Buffy?”

Buffy looked up at them all with tear-y eyes. “Why can’t you all just mind your own business and stay out of mine?” Pushing past them all she ran to the room she shared with her sister.

As she lay on bed, Dawn creep quietly into the room and sat with her. “Buffy, why won’t you talk to me?”

“What’s there to talk about Dawnie?”

“Why are you marrying him, Buffy? I know you don’t love him.”

“It’s my duty Dawn. Love means nothing. He can keep the whole family comfortable. No more worrying about money. I have to do this for the family.”

“But you don’t love him.”

“I can learn. He’s tolerable.”

“Buffy, you can’t do this. I can’t let you. Please. You will be miserable. Don’t do it Buffy.”

“Please go Dawn. I want to be alone.”

Standing up Dawn walked to the door. As she stood by the door, she looked at her sister led there, still as stone. “What about Spike?”

“He made his choice Dawn. I wasn’t part of it. Now please leave me alone.”

Quietly Dawn left the room. Buffy didn’t move for the rest of the night.

***
By the following morning, Buffy had accepted her decision. Though she did not love Riley, she knew it was a good match and he would do her and her family well.

Dressing she set off to work.

Once at the mines she managed to avoid Riley for the entire morning. Finding Faith they went down together.

“Yo, B! Why didn’t you tell me about you and Finn boy?”

“You know about that?”

“Talk of the town. So why didn’t you tell me, trying to hurt my feelings girl?”

Buffy looked down. “Just didn’t think it was something we needed to talk about.” The two girls didn’t talk much for the rest of the day.

***
Dawn was restless. Alex and Buffy had gone to work, though Dawn knew her sister would not be working there much longer. Anya and Anne where sleeping, she was unsure where Giles was and her mom was working in the kitchen.

Picking up the basket, she decided she would go and pick some more berries.

As she walked down the lane she thought about Buffy. She knew he sister was not happy, just as much as she knew why she was doing this. She also knew her sister still loved Spike and that Spike still loved her. She had seen that in his face and the way he looked at her that day they had come around to the house.

As she was lost in thought she wondered aimlessly up the lane. When she reached the hill she saw a well-dressed man sat on the top of his horse. Running up to him she called out.

“Spike!”

Hearing his nice name, William spun around, sure that he would see Buffy running up the hill towards him. His heart dropped as instead of Buffy he saw Dawn running towards him.

“Hello William.”

“You know it’s me?” Climbing down from his horse he stood on eye level with her.

“I have known since the first time you came round. I am not as stupid as I look, you know. I know what happened between you and my sister.”

“Did she tell you?”

“No! She isn’t telling anyone anything. She is so secretive these days.”

“I can’t seem to get close to her. She doesn’t want to talk to me. I’ve tried. I need to explain.”

“Spike you have to go talk to her. Tell her how you feel. Please.” Dawn looked at him with pleading eyes.

“I don’t think it will change anything Dawn.”

“Please. Just try.”

Heaving a sigh, he looked at the girl in front of him who was looking at him with pleading eyes. He really was a sucker for Summers women. “Where will I find her?”

Dawn smiled at him. “She’s at work. She works down the pits. She finishes soon though. Go!”

“Thank you Pigeon.” Climbing up onto his horse, Spike spared one last look at Dawn before riding off at full speed.

***
As reached the outskirts of the mine, Spike slowed his horse down. Climbing down he brought the reins over the head and walked next to his horse.

As people started milling out of the mine courtyard, Spike looked over at each woman. He couldn’t see Buffy anywhere, everyone look so similar.

***
Buffy hurried out from the pit. Making sure that once again she didn’t see Riley, it was too soon after his proposal for her.

As she walked back out onto the crowded street, she saw the last person she thought she would see. Walking with his horse, she saw William.

Stood behind him, she knew he didn’t recognise her. Her whole body was covered in black soot making it impossible to see her features.

Walking up to him she ran her hand down the horse’s neck, causing him to whinny.

“Hello Spike.”

Hearing Buffy’s voice William spun round.

“Buffy! Hello.”

“I was talking to the horse.” Refusing to look at him, she carried on rubbing the horse.

“I didn’t recognise you Buffy. What are you doing here?”

“I work here Spike. I couldn’t work in a house again.” Looking up she looked in to Spikes eyes. He could see the emotion swirling in her eyes.

“We need to talk Buffy.”

“What is there to talk about William?” Her voice became sad and quiet as she looked at him.

Reaching out, he held her hand. “Buffy. What can I do? To make it up to you?”

As she looked at him a single tear ran down her check. It washed away the soot on her face, creating a streak of ivory against the ebony of her face. Her eyes where large as she looked at him.

“It’s too late. It’s too late for all of it.” As more tears started to fall, Buffy turned and ran at full speed away from him.

Spike was left stood there, watching as she ran away from him. He knew he would probably never see her again. All was now lost. Buffy was right, it was too late.

Climbing up onto his horse, he slowly trotted back to the manor. Alone.

TBC….

Please leave me a review, and thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter!!!!
Final choices by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Hope you like this after the mass posting. The next chapter will be posted on Sunday night. There is a warning for this chapter, if you don't want to spoil any of the story, look away now:


*character death in thi chapter*

Ok you can look again now!! Please leave me a review. it will encourage ,me to post more frequently like last week!! Thank you!
Chapter 31: Final choices.

Since their first meeting that afternoon, William had hardly left his room. He barely met with company and was far from aware as to what was going on in the world around him. His appearance became paler, as the sun no longer touched his skin, and he spent most of his days trying to console his loss with a large bottle of scotch that had always sat on his desk. He mourned the loss of Buffy by writing copious amounts of poetry, all praising her beauty and radiance. Each poem he wrote, he would then dutifully throw in the fire that he left burning constantly in the grate. He did not want to keep reminders of the girl he had loved, yet unable to ever forget her. She was in his thoughts every waking moment, and haunting his dreams when he slept. She burnt in his mind, brighter than the fire.

Willow and the rest of the servants tried in vain to comfort him, but they knew their efforts where fruitless. After a while they gave in trying, as fresh tragedy was about to grip them. The loss of one of their own.

***
It had been three weeks since Buffy had last seen William, and still her hearted ached immeasurable, as though he was stood in front of her now. Every time she thought of him, she could hear Mr. Lillian’s words echoed in her ears. Drusilla was marrying William. There was nothing she could do to stop the wedding.

Her own wedding was fast approaching. She accepted it with a gentle calm. She had long since closed off the part of her that cared, she knew that she was doing the right thing. The best thing for her family.

Contrary to what Riley kept asking her, Buffy hadn’t moved in to his home. She continued living in the small cottage with her whole family, and would stay there until her wedding night.

As she climbed into her bed, she realised with a sinking feeling it was only seven more days and then she would be Mrs Riley Finn. Closing her eyes she tried to block the feelings that threatened to overwhelm her.

***
Unaware to William, the entire of Hartley Manor was under threat from small consumption. Liam had first contracted the illness, and had since not left his bed. Through love for her husband, Lady Darla had not left his side. The pair had not been seen out in public for at least two weeks.

With William locking himself in his room and Liam and Darla not leaving theirs, the entire manor seemed stark and lifeless, except for the scuttle of the servants.

As for the servants they where unsure whether Lady Darla was actually staying with her husband because of her love for him, or because he was Liam himself was forcing her too. Either way she hadn’t left their bedroom for the last few weeks.

Though concerned for their masters, the servant household didn’t worry too much; they just carried on working at their normal pace, while caring for the sick. That was until one of their own caught the disease. Larry had first started to show symptoms the Tuesday after Liam had, a full week since William had bombarded himself in his room. Without the sufficient funds to buy the medical attention he required himself, and neither of his Masters in a suitable place to pay the doctors for him themselves, Larry was left to suffer on his own.

The rest of the servants tried as hard as they could to help him, by making herbal remedies and possibly cures. However without the proper medical assistance their efforts where futile and had only prolonged the inevitable. Within a week and a half of first showing symptoms, Larry died.

The house fell into disarray. The servants all panicked over who would be next to contract the frightening and deadly disease. They knew that only one of them could be next in line, there seemed to be no stopping it.

Amy seemed particularly distraught over the death of Larry. It was later found out that the two of them had been courting, and that it had been Larry’s intention to propose to Amy and make an honest woman out of her. After his death Amy seemed inconsolable and was barely able to carry on working.

As for the rest of the servants in the house, they approached Liam and Darla’s room with trepidation. The slightest sign of what appeared to them to be forms of symptoms, and that person would be sent to their room for fear of contaminating the other servants.

Oz had appeared to have the symptoms soon after Larry, and had been locked in his room straight away, away from everyone. Willow had been distraught. It had become common knowledge that the red head cared very deeply for Oz, as he did for her.

She feared that this devil disease would bring his death. However after two days of being alone in his room, Oz’s symptoms did not seem to have changed at all, and his illness was therefore deemed as nothing more than a common cold and he was allowed back to work. Willow felt immense amount of relief. She had been so scared of losing him; she knew now what she felt for Oz must be love.

In a house full of sorry, the return of Oz was a welcome relief. However more sorrow was on its way.

Within two days of Larry passing away, Master Liam lost his battle with the illness. Within an hour, Lady Darla joined him in the afterlife. The house was in shock. With Liam and Darla now gone, it left William as master of the Manor now. However with him not aware of anything that was going on around him, the servants all worried about what was going to happen to them.

Everyone knew though that with Liam and Darla no longer with them, the threat of consumption had left Hartley Manor.

By request in his will, Liam’s attorney arranged all the funeral details, leaving it just up to William to attend. The funeral was held a few days after the deaths. While the house grieved William stayed locked in his rooms. He cared nothing for the death of his parents; they meant nothing to him now, not after everything that they had done. Nor did he care about the riches that he had inherited. The only thing that William could bring himself to care about was Elizabeth, the one thing he couldn’t have.

***
Buffy was unaware of anything that had been going on at Hartley Manor. She knew nothing of the funerals or of the loss of Larry. Though most of the town knew and it was general talk, Elizabeth barely ventured outside, so had become unaware. Dawn had found out soon after it had happened, as she had taken up the role of going to the market for the family. Yet she did not share the information with her family, she did not want to cast her sister into an even further despair.

The only thing Elizabeth cared and feared now was her imminent wedding.

As she awoke on the Saturday of her big day, she lay in bed with the sound of Dawn snoring lightly next to her. She stared at her wedding dress hung on the back of the door. Riley had insisted on buying it for her, even though it cost five times what she got paid. Although grateful Buffy couldn’t help thinking that it didn’t even compare to the one William had bought her. There was no thought or caring in this dress, it was simply a boast of how much money Mr Finn possessed.

The simplicity of the dress just demonstrated the vast difference between the man she loved and the man she was marrying.

Climbing out of the bed, she went and had a simple strip wash, ready to prepare for her big day. The day that would change the rest of her life.

Staring out of the window she saw the rain beginning to fall. It just mirrored her sombre mood. Closing her eyes, she blocked out the dull weather.

Drying her watering eyes before any of her family saw how her heart was breaking over today, she looked back at her reflection. This was for them; she didn’t need them to know what it was taking out of her.

As she heard Dawn start to move about she called her over to the little room she was in.

“Dawnie honey, could you help me with my petti-coat and pass me the dress. Then will you get mom to help with my hair?.”

“Sure” Dawns voice sounded groggy from sleep.

Handing Buffy the dress, they hung it on the back on the door, and then Dawn helped do Buffy up.

As Dawn left the room to go and get Joyce Buffy sat down and stared at herself in the mirror.

***
“Mom, Buffy’s ready to have her hair done.” Heading downstairs she found her mother sat at the kitchen table. She still wore her nightclothes and her hair was up in rags ready for the big day.

“Coming honey.” Together the two of them made their way back up the stairs and to where Buffy was waiting.

As they entered the tiny room, the first thing that Dawn noticed was the wedding dress lay strewn across the floor, discarded.

Picking it up before her mom entered, she turned to glare at Buffy. However instead of seeing her meek sister stood there, the room was completely empty, and the shutters on the window were wide open, allowing the rain to come inside.

With panicked eyes, Dawn spun round to look at her Mom who was just entering the room.

“Mom! Buffy’s gone!”

TBC…

Dodges the things thrown at me! Yes I know, that was an evil chapter and en evil cliffhanger. Leave me a review and you may get the next chapter sooner than sunday!!
Searching by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
thank you for the amazing amout of reviews the last chapter got!!!! OMG i was spellbound. It was amazing!
Anyhoo, as thank you I decided to post this now instead of Sunday. Hope you all like it.
Nikki xx
P.s. please leave me lots more reviews they make me smile!
Chapter 32: Searching

“Mom! Buffy’s gone!”

Joyce just looked at her daughter, flabbergasted. “What do you mean she’s gone?”

Walking past Dawn, she too walked into the room they had last seen Buffy in, to find that it was totally empty. As more rain started to pour in through the open window, Joyce walked up to it and shut it before turning back to her youngest daughter.

“It’s her wedding day Dawn, where could she have gone? Why has she left like this?”

Dawn had a good idea why her sister had left, she knew if she was in her sister’s position she couldn’t have gone through with it and married Riley. She knew that was probably the reason her sister had left.

As Joyce started to get worked up, she paced back and forth in the tiny room, Dawn watched as she started to get more and more panicked. With the wedding dress still in her arms she stepped in front of her mothers stride, stopping her pacing.

“Get dressed, mom. I have an idea where she may have gone.”

***
Buffy’s bare feet walked through the wet grass, causing water to squelch between her toes. Her undergarments were soaked through and were sticking to her body. Her hair was plastered to the back of her neck, and the water was running off her. Yet still she carried on walking.

As she had sat there staring at her reflection, she knew she couldn’t do it. She couldn’t go through with the wedding. It would destroy everything that she was.

As she walked through the pouring rain, she knew she had to see him again. Just for a second. She had to see that he was happy with his new wife. She had to know.

Carrying on she ignored the rain as she walked the way she knew by heart.

***
With their shawls wrapped tightly over their heads to try to keep the rain off them, Joyce and Dawn walked up the drive up to Hartley Manor.

Joyce was perplexed as to why they where heading back here. “Dawn, Honey, what makes you think that Buffy will come here. She was sacked from here sweetie, she didn’t like it here, remember.”

Dawn however had other ideas. She knew who Spike really was, and she knew that her still sister cared deeply for him, despite what she had said the last few weeks. She couldn’t hide it from her sister.

Walking up to the main doors they knocked on the door, to have it opened by Wesley. Much like Buffy had on her first day here.
“Can I help you?” Wesley looked at the two drenched presents in front of him. How could they want anything to do with the manor?

It was Dawn who spoke up. “We are here to see William.” Joyce stared at Dawn wondering how she knew these things.

“Does he know you are coming?” Wesley looked at the pair in front of him with nothing but disgrace.

“No, but this is very important, please I have to see William.” Crossing her arms over her chest, she stared at the butler in front of her.

“Fine.” Stepping aside he allowed the two into the house.

Once inside the grand opening hall, Dawn turned to her mother. “You wait here, I’ll go talk to William. I promise I will explain everything, but first we have to find Buffy.” Hugging her mom she turned back to Wesley. “Take me to him.” Dawn was secretly enjoying being able to tell this man what to do.

“Follow me.” Together the two walked up the stairs.

Stopping outside a set of double doors, Wesley turned to Dawn. “Wait here.” He then went into the room on his own.

Williams’s room was dark, as the drapes had been pulled closed blocking out all light. William sat at his desk, holding a glass of whiskey. His back was turned away from the door, and his head was bowed down. Wesley cleared his throat but still William did not turn round.

“Sir, there is a young lady here to see you.”

Williams voice was a low growl, but he didn’t look at Wesley. “Wesley, I told you I did not wish to be disturbed. So you can just tell this woman that I do not wish to see her.”

“But sir-“ Wesley tried to speak again but a rather angry William cut him off.

“Leave my presence at once.”

Bowing slightly, he left the room. Closing the door behind her he turned back to Dawn. “He won’t see you. I am sorry you must leave now.”

Dawn was not about to take no for an answer, her sisters life was at stake. “Let me try.” Pushing past Wesley she entered the room before he could stop her and shut the door behind her.

Hearing the door open again, William still didn’t turn round. “Wesley! I told you to sod off.”

“Spike.” Hearing the quite voice speak his nickname, William spun round, to see a wet, very meek Dawn stood before him. His anger suddenly dissipated, standing up he picked the blanket up of his bed and wrapped it round her.

“What are you doing here, pigeon?”

“It’s Buffy, Spike.”

William was shocked to hear of his past love. “What about her? Dawn?”

“S-she’s missing. She was –“ William didn’t wait to hear the rest of what she was saying, on hearing the word missing he has rushed past Dawn and straight out the door, past a started Wesley. Dawn rushed out after him.

“Where are you going?”

Without stopping or turning around he carried on walking down the stairs. “I’m going to find her.” As he reached the bottom of the stairs he saw Joyce.

She stared at him as though she had seen a ghost. This was the same man that had come to her house that day with Buffy. She had had no idea that he had been a gentleman, now here he stood in front of her, in all his finery. Suddenly Buffy’s behaviour since returning home made more sense.

William bowed politely in front of her. “Mrs Summers. I assure you I will find your daughter. Go and wait in the sitting room. I will get someone to light the fire for you both.” Turning from her, he looked at Wesley.

“Get someone to light the fire, and then get these fine people something to eat.” Then without further ado he strode over to the door and out into the pouring rain, determined to find his girl.

***
Buffy stood at the top of the hill, staring down at Hartley Manor. She was no longer aware of the rain that soaked her to the bone.

Staring at the house, she remembered all the memories she had shared with William there. She knew it would be Drusilla’s home now.

Buffy was unaware how long she stood there. Time seemed to have lost its meaning. Still the rain poured down, but still she remained unmoved. There she stayed just staring at the house, and all the dreams she had lost.

***
William searched but he could not find her anywhere. His clothes where wet; yet still he carried on. He knew he must have been searching for at least the last hour. He hoped that he found Buffy soon. If she was out in this terrible rain, then it would not be good for her; William began to fear the worst.

“Buffy, love. Where are you?” As he wondered around he called out to the deserted world around him.

He wondered what had possessed her to come out in such driving rain. What had made her run away from her home? He was glad that Dawn had come to him, to try and find her, and by god he wasn’t about to let another Summers woman down.

As he walked up the hill, something caught his attention at the top.

Led on the sodden grass there seemed to be a mound of something white. As his stomach leaped he ran up to it. As he got closer he could see the outline of a person. Putting on an extra burst of speed, he ran up to the inanimate object.

There led on the floor, immobile, was his Elizabeth. Falling to his knees beside her, he quickly checked for her pulse, she had to be alive, he couldn’t lose her again, he just couldn’t.

“Come one, pet.” As he held his fingers gently against her neck, he felt the faint trace of a pulse. It was very weak, but it was there. Closing his eyes, he silently prayed to whichever gods had allowed him to find her.

Reaching down he scooped her up into his arms. She seemed to weight less than a feather. Her lifeless arms flopped over making it difficult at first for him to carry her. He swore as he noticed she wore nothing more than her thin cotton undergarments that clung to her petite body. Why was she out like this? She was soaked through and William worried about her health.

Turning round, he saw what Elizabeth had been staring at; Hartley Manor. The realization sunk in, she had come to see him, and because of that she might now die. William felt a fool for letting her go, and now there may be a high price to pay.

Clutching her body tightly to his, he made sure he had a good hold of her, so as not to drop her, before making his way back to the manor. His angel was back with him, and he wasn’t ever going to let her go again.


TBC…

Please please please leave me a review!!!!!!!
Heritage by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Sorry there hasn't been any updates recently, things over christmas have got very very very hectic!!! I just hope they are starting to calm down now. Please leave me a review and I WILL update again soon!
Nikki xx
Chapter 33: Heritage

Walking as fast as he could down the hill that had become slippery with rain, he held Buffy close to him.

The rain soaked him through, making his hair plaster to his head. William could see the manor in the distance.

As his feet touch the solid ground of the path, he sped up his pace. He was now walking so fast that he was starting to feel out of breath. But he didn’t care; all he cared about was getting Buffy out of the rain, into the warmth and out of danger.

As he approached the doors, he burst them open and stumbled into the opening hall. Wesley came running up to him, and gently took the still Buffy from his arms. Leaving William to collapse in a wet heap onto the floor, gasping for breath.

“Take her; put her in the guest bed. For god’s sake make sure she is bloody well warm.”

Nodding, Wesley took the girl in his arms and rushed off up the marble staircase, to the upstairs rooms.

Peeling himself off the floor, William lent against the door. Dawn and Joyce came running out of the front room when they heard him speak.

“Did you find her? Did you find my baby?” Joyce looked frantic with worry. William could tell that she hadn’t sat down the whole time she had been here, she had probably just paced up and down waiting for his return.

Catching his breath, he just nodded. “Upstairs.”

Without waiting to find out where upstairs she was, both Dawn and Joyce ran up the stairs, their heels clattering as they went.

Closing his eyes he waited for his breathing to return to normal, before he went to check on his love.

Willow came out from the kitchen to see William stood there soaked through, running over to him with the blanket in her hands she wrapped it round his shoulders.

“Sir, you’re soaked through, you need to change or you’ll get ill.” Just nodding he held the blanket tight and started walking up the staircase as well.

“Red, I need you to make sure there is a fire lit in Elizabeth’s room. Make sure she is warm.”

“You found her! Oh William, thank you. I was so worried.” Turning, she then ran as fast as she could into the kitchen to go and find Jonathon to light a fire in the guest room.

***
Closing the door behind him, William quickly stripped off his wet clothes and left them on a pile on the floor. Going over to his wardrobe, he pulled out a dry shirt and pair of trousers. Placing a pair of brown boots on his feet, he roughly brushed his hair before leaving the room again.

As he was exiting his room, Dawn was leaving the guest bedroom. He walked up to the distraught girl.

“How is she Dawn?”

Dawn looked at him though her lashes; she could barely contain her tears. “It’s not good, Spike, I think Buffy may need a doctor.”

“Of course. I’ll send for one straight away.” Without wasting a moment, he ran past Dawn and headed straight for the kitchens, en-route he passed Willow. “Elizabeth need a doctor, get Osborne to send for one straight away, don’t wait a second.”

“Yes Sir.” Willow nodded, and ran off back towards where she had just come from.

With nothing left to do, he headed back to Elizabeth’s room. He felt as though he could barely stand to be away from her, she seemed so fragile when he had carried her.

As he got closer to her room, he could see that Dawn was sat on the floor by her room. “Any change Pigeon?”

“No. She’s not responding to any of us.” She played with the hem of her skirt, it was an act that he had seen Buffy do before and it just showed the similarities between the two girls.

“I’ve sent for the doc, pigeon. Big sis will be up and about in no time.” Although he wasn’t one hundred percent sure he believed it himself, he had to get Dawn to believe it.

“Thank you for all of this Spike, I just hope that, Mrs Hartley doesn’t mind.”

Spike looked at her bemused. “Darla died Dawn, didn’t you know?”

“I had heard from some of the other villagers. I am sorry. Guess you own the place now.”

“Guess so.” Spike hadn’t really thought about until now.

“But I didn’t mean Darla, I hope your wife doesn’t mind us being here.”

“My wife?” Spike stared at Dawn even more confused what Dawn was going on about, was this just shock talking.

“Buffy said that you where getting married. She said she could never have you again. That’s why she agreed to marry Mr Finn. She wanted to save us, but she needed you to save her first before she could save us.”

Spike’s head was reeling over everything that Dawn had just said. Buffy had agreed to marry someone, did that mean she was already married, was it too late for him, just like Dawn had said? And why did she think he was married, she should have known he wouldn’t want anyone but his shimmering angel, she had stolen his heart and it could never belong to another.

Suddenly the afternoon they had meet outside the mine, the afternoon that had stayed imprinted on his memory, where she had told him that it was all too late, came hurtling back to him. Suddenly all Buffy had said had made sense. She had thought it was too late, she had thought that he was married. But why?

“Dawnie, where has Buffy got this idea from that I am married. Surely she knows I couldn’t love another.”

“It was a few weeks ago. She heard some one talking in town. I think it was the village. I think it was Mr Lillian. He said that Drusilla was back, said she was getting married...” Dawn’s voice trailed off.

Spike felt sick over the thought. “And she thought I was the one marrying her.” Spike finished for her. “Fuck. Buffy thinks I still care for that whore.” He couldn’t help getting angry over the thought that Drusilla had ruining something else for him.

“But, if you’re not marrying her, who is?”

“You stupid idiot, I should have told her, made it more clear she was the one.” Spike couldn’t help cursing himself. “She married a week ago, a man call called Warren Meers. He loved her when she was with me, guess he never got over her. He always was a snivelling little weasel of a man. Never liked him. She thought it was me that Dru was marrying. Buffy should have known I would never take her back, never. I only ever want your sis.”

“I don’t think she was exactly thinking clearly. That’s why she agreed to marry that stupid guy. She doesn’t love him Spike, she loves you.”

“What is this about, Buffy can’t be married. I can’t lose her again Pigeon.”

Dawn smiled, “She isn’t lost to you yet, she’s not married yet. Today was the big day. I knew she was unhappy, but she kept saying she had to do this, that it was too late. I guess when it came down to it, even she’s not that strong.”

“Dawn, your sister is the strongest woman I have ever met.” Spike held her shoulders so that she had to look at him.

“I think you may need to go and tell her that, I can’t lose her Spike.” Tears started to well in Dawn’s eyes.

“I can’t lose her either, Dawn. But we aren’t going to. Your sister is going to be just fine. We have the best doctor in the whole of Ireland coming. Just wait and see.” He saw Dawn faintly smile and knew that she believed him. “Dawn, what did you mean, but she was marrying the wanker to save you all?”

“To try get us back to where we used to be.” Spike stared at Dawn perplexed; he knew so little about Buffy’s past before coming to Ireland. However just as he was about to answer Buffy’s bedroom door opened and Joyce came out.

“Dawn, honey, you should go spend time we Buffy. She would want that. I will keep Mr Hartley company.” Bowing her head to her mother, Dawn past Joyce and went into Buffy’s room closing the door behind her. “Sorry about her, Sir.”

“Joyce, call me Spike. I’m the same guy who ate with you, just over a month ago.” He watched as Joyce smiled at him. In her eyes he would always be the poor man with the clothes to big, who looked at her daughter with love in his eyes.

“I have made such a mess of things. I should never have let things get this bad, I should have realised my own daughter’s pain. I shouldn’t have let her try to go ahead with this marriage. But she can be so headstrong when she chooses to be. I fear she gets that from me.” Joyce had started to pace forgetting completely that William was stood there. “I should never have let Hank do this to the family. I should have stood up to him.”

“Hank?” Williams voice broke her out of her ramble and she turned to look at him.

“Buffy’s father. Or at least in blood only, he has never acted like a father to her.”

The wheels in Williams head started to turn, he had heard that name before. However before he could put two and two together, Joyce started talking again. “When her brother and his wife, you met them both, Alex and Anya, had their first child, Buffy was overcome when they said that they wanted to name her after her. Now I’m worried she won’t ever get to see her grow up. I don’t know what I will do without my Buffy.” Tears had started to spring in her eyes, as she dabbed them away with the tissue.

“Wait a sec, their child is called Anne, isn’t she? But you just said she’s named after Buffy.”

“She is. Its Buffy’s middle name, has she never told you that?” Joyce looked at him enquiringly.

Alarm bells started to go off in Williams’s head. “Buffy’s real name is Elizabeth isn’t it?” Joyce just nodded, confused where he was going with this, surely he knew. "Has she, or has she not, ever been know as Eliza?" Joyce just nodded. “Elizabeth-Anne Summers also known as Eliza-Anne Summers?” William ran his hands through his hair.

“Yes, that her full name, no one ever calls it her mind.” Joyce just stared at the man in front of her who seemed to be frantic.

“Is her father, Lord Hank Summers III or not?”

“Wow, been quite a while since I have heard his official title. But yes that’s Buffy’s father, where is this leading?”

“That means Buffy’s…”

“Royalty? Yes.”

TBC…
Survival by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Once again, sorry its been a while... Had writers block... starting to write again now, so should hopefully *fingers crossed* be more chapters soon. Please leave me a review.
Chapter 34: survival

“Royalty? Yes.” Joyce filled in for him. “Her father is George II cousin.”

“Thereby making Buffy his niece.” Things he had seen, little hints of he had gleamed of Buffy’s past started to fall into place.

“And 29th in line to the throne.” Joyce’s face suddenly turned stony as she looked at William. “That isn’t who she is anymore though, William. We came to Ireland to get a fresh start, away from all the controversy. If she didn’t tell you who she was there will be a reason for it. She’s not that girl anymore William. I fear that girl died a long time ago.”

Williams head was spinning this was all just so much to take in. “Wait a second. I am trying to understand, I really am. But what I don’t get, and excuse me if I am saying something wrong here. But a while ago I asked Buffy to marry me.” Joyce stared at William shocked. One of the richest men in the country had asked for her daughter’s hand in marriage and yet she must have turned her down, or they wouldn’t be stood here now, would they. Could it really be that she knew so little about her own daughter these days?

“She said no, Joyce, but I guess you got that. What I don’t get is why? She said it was because we where from different social standing yet she can marry Captain Cardboard. But we aren’t that different. So why turn me down?”

Joyce just shook her head. “I can’t tell you William. The only person who can tell you about Buffy’s choices and actions is Buffy herself.” Joyce looked up at the confused William. “All I can think of as to why she turned you down William, is because you had connections with London, something Mr. Finn does not. When her father did what he did, it was very hard on Buffy, she took it the hardest of us all. We came here to be away from that. No one knows us here, they don’t know what happened in London. That’s why I fear she turned you down, and it appears broke her heart at the same time. Just another fall out from her father. You were a link back, something she never wants. That’s why I think she said no”

William didn’t know what to say. He knew only of the gossip that had surrounded Hank Summers, like many of the people who lived in London he knew nothing of the truth. “Joyce, what hap…”

However just at that moment, Wesley came up the stairs followed by the smartly dressed doctor.

Abandoning what he was going to say, he rushed over. “Doctor, thank you for coming. Here she’s in here.” Leading the way he took her into Elizabeth’s room.

Dr. Isaacs, placed his bag down and stared at the still girl in the bed. “What happened here?”

It was William who spoke. “I found her she was outside in the rain. I am not sure how long she had been there. She was barely dressed and soaked through when I got there. She wasn’t conscious when I found her. I brought her straight back here. Then we called for you.”

“You did right sir.” Taking several items out of him bag, he walked past William and spoke to Dawn. “Please let me see to the patient.”

Moving to let the doctor next to the bed, Dawn went and stood by her mother at the door.

After 10 minutes of no one speak, William could barely cope with the silence. “Doctor, please tell us something.”

“It appears that Miss…”

“Summers” It was Joyce who said the name, remind William he wasn’t the only one in the room who cared for Buffy.

“It appears that Miss Summers has developed pneumonia..” Placing down his manorial stethoscope, he turned to look at the three people in the room. “I feel that it would be unwise for the young lady to stay in the presence of Miss Summers, it is simply not safe for her.” He gestured towards Dawn.

Taking immediate heed of the warning, Joyce shuffled her daughter out of the room. “I will be back with you in a moment darling. I promise. This will only take a little while.”

Once the door was closed again, William turned back to the doctor. “What can be done?”

“The illness is far more advanced than I would like. It appears that Miss Summers may have had a viral infection before she ever set foot in the rain, which has triggered this devastating strain on her body as the pneumonia has taken hold. I fear that you must prepare yourself for the worst.”

Joyce broke down, sinking to the floor, she looked at her daughter led there. Her brow was sweaty and she looked white as a ghost.

William refused to give in, Buffy would be fine, she had to be. “What more can be done.” He stared directly at the doctor, not breaking eye contact.

“I will try to bleed the illness out of her and I have medication that you must administer. But more than that I cannot do. It will then be up to Miss Summers own strength to help her through. I do not promise that these remedies will work. Now please pass me my bag.”

Doing as he was asked, William handed him the brown leather bag that lay by his feet. The doctor took out the bowl, and making a small slit in Buffy’s inside elbow, he placed the bowl under her and let the blood slowly start to drain out of her body.

“Could you please get someone to show me to the kitchens so that I may get a bowl of water and sort out several of my items.”

“Of course.” Ringing the bell on the wall, it was several minutes later Amy politely knocked on the door and took the doctor away down to the kitchen.

It was soon only Joyce, William and the ill Buffy in the room. Joyce turned to look at William. “I should really go talk to Dawn. Tell her what’s going on. Will you be okay staying with Buffy?”

“I won’t leave her for a second. I promise, Joyce.” He gave her a sad smile.

“Thank you, William. You have been very kind to us all. It means a lot to me.” Giving one last look at her daughter she went out the room to go and talk to her youngest daughter.

Once the door was completely shut, William ran his fingers through his rapidly drying hair, and let out a deep breath he hadn’t realised he was holding. Looking round the room, he gaze fell upon the woman that he loved. She was lying their in the bed completely immobile. How had they managed to get everything so messed up?

Pulling a chair over, he went and sat next to her bed. Leaning over he took her limp hand tightly in his.

“Hey baby, it’s your William. Kitten, you have to pull through this, you have to get better for me.” Looking at her face, he watched as her eyelids fluttered. “That’s it baby, open your eyes. I need to see your pretty eyes again. Come on, pet.” However after several moments the flickering stopped and Buffy was still again.

Sighing, William didn’t know what more he could do, he felt so completely useless, and he didn’t like the feeling. “Come on Buffy, please. Pull through this. I can’t live without you. I am a wreck. Please princess.” Closing his eyes, he led his head down on the bed sheets never letting go of her hand.

After a little while, William didn’t know how long, time seemed to have lost all meaning, Joyce came back into the room. She took in the sight of her eldest daughter led in bed, while one of the richest men in Ireland practically wept over her.

“William?” his head shot up on hearing his name, his eyes where blood shot and puffy, and Joyce knew that he had been crying. “You should go and get some rest, I’ll stay with her.”

“Thank you, Joyce, that’s very kind, but I am not leaving her, never again.”

“Okay.” She gave him a sad smile and pulled up a chair on the other side of the bed. Stroking the wet hair off her daughters face, she spoke softly. “I’m back darling.” She then turned back to William. “Do you mind if Dawn borrows one of your horses?”

William looked at her and just shook his head. “No its fine, don’t want little pigeon getting wetter than she has to, my home is at your disposal. Treat is as your own.”

“Thank you William, you are too kind. I am very grateful for all your assistance, as I am sure Buffy will be. I have sent Dawn to get Rupert and Alex, Buffy will need them now. I have also sent her to go and inform Riley. It would be unfair to leave him stood at the alter now that the wedding has been cancelled.”

“I understand.” And with that the room fell into silence again.

***
It seemed Joyce and William had fallen asleep. They where awoken by a commotion outside the room in the grand hallway. Glancing across at Buffy, they saw that there had been no change, except the bowl gathering her blood seemed to have been moved.

Hearing a tray crash to the floor and shouting downstairs, Joyce stood up. “You wait up here, I’ll go find out what’s going on.” William nodded and with that she left the room.

Wrapping her shawl tighter round herself, Joyce walked down the stairs. As she reached the bottom she recognised the red haired girl arguing with Riley.

“If she is here I demand to see her, she is my fiancée. Take me to her at once.” Riley shouted, going red in the face.

“I’m, I’m sorry sir, but I can’t do that.” Willow looked worried so Joyce decided to intervene.

“Mr. Finn, may I help you?”

“Ah, Mrs Summers. Dawn has informed me of your daughter’s condition. I wish to see my fiancée.”

“Mr. Finn, I believe that Buffy is no longer your fiancée, therefore you have no rights here.”

“Until I hear that from her own lips, she is still mine.”

“Sir! My daughter is not a piece of property. Please don’t treat her as such, treat her with the respect she deserves. Now, she ran away from her own wedding – you may take that as her answer. Now good day to you.”

However, Riley wasn’t ready to take that as a final answer. He took a menacing step towards Joyce.

Though her heartbeat picked up, she stood her ground – refusing to be intimidated by this man.

“Move out the way. I demand to see her and I don’t want to hurt you getting to her, but I will see her.” As he reached out to forcefully move Joyce, Alex came through the main doors. Seeing his mother in danger, he reacted without thinking and punched Riley squarely in the jaw. Riley was sent reeling from the blow. His eyes like daggers, he turned to look at Alex. “Harris.”

“Keep your hands off my mother you son-of-a-bitch.”

“That’s it Harris, you’re done for. Your whole family is. You’re fired!” With that he stormed out the manor leaving lots of mess and destruction in his wake.

Once he was fully gone, Alex went and hugged his trembling mother. They knew hard times lay ahead for them, but they would get through it the same way they had got through everything else that they had faced in the past, by sticking together as a family. First thing first though, they had to concentrate on getting their Buffy back.

TBC…
Please, i beg you leave me a little review!
Waking up by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Sooo sooo sooo sorry it has taken me forever to get this posted. As most of you know, my life has got beyond hectic now!! I have actually finished writing this now and am waiting for help beta-ing it then i will post it!!!
Chapter 35

News of what had happened with the Summers family spread like wildfire around the village, soon they were everyone’s gossip. However staying inside Hartley manor they bore it out together.

Buffy's fever seemed to have progressed and everyone was starting to fear for her survival. William felt like he was going insane. He needed something to do or it would drive him crazy. He had to find a way to help her, to help his princess get better.

Since he had brought her here he hadn't left her side, he simply refused, and now the effects were starting to show. His hair was unwashed and due to lack of brushing his natural curls where wild and unruly. He had stubble growing on his sculptured cheekbones, but he cared little of his appearance. He would stay by Buffy's side until she woke up, nothing could move him.

***
With one of her children in a coma and the other out of work, Joyce was struggling to hold it together. Snyder had come round again demanding the rent that they owed him. Anya, being the only one home and not at the manor with the rest of the family at the time, had managed to stave him off, but the question was, for how long? Joyce had no money left to pay him with and the money she had brought over from England with them, though not much, had disappeared a long time ago. For a while now they had been relying on Alex's wages to support the family. They were far from living in the luxury's that they had been used to.

She had learned the hard way not to rely on people’s kindness; it could be taken away so easily. Joyce lived in the real world now. She knew that they couldn't stay at Hartley manor forever. She would have to find a way to pay the rent and support her family so that they wouldn't be homeless, and whatever she'd do she knew she had to do it soon.

Slipping quietly into her daughter’s room, she noticed the non moving William, sat at the edge of Buffy's bed, clutching her hand.

“William?” Taking her shawl off she sank into the chair at the opposite side of the bed. “William, darling. You should go and get some sleep.” As he started to speak Joyce cut in again. “No William, in a proper bed.”

“No Joyce, You know I can't leave her.”

“William. You are no good to her like this. When she wakes up she'll need you strong to look after her, not sleep deprived. “She stressed the word when, when she wakes up, not if.

For the first time since Joyce had come into the room, William took his eyes off the sleeping Buffy and looked at Joyce. He saw the pain and misery swirling in her eyes. He knew there was more there than what was simply connected to her daughter.

“Joyce what’s wrong?”

She looked down, almost ashamed, as though ashamed to admit there was something wrong and she couldn't do everything herself. She was stubborn just like Buffy. “Just everything with Buffy, makes a mother worry.”

William wasn't about to take that as an answer. “No Joyce that’s not everything, what else is wrong?”

“Really it’s nothing to worry about just a few financial problems, that’s all.”

“Well tell me about it, I might be able to help.” William looked at her with kind eyes and a helpful smile on his face. Joyce found it hard to refuse him.

“We are struggling to pay the rent, but we will be fine. We have been through much worse.”

“Why didn't you tell me? I can pay it, then you won't have to worry.”

“No! William I am just like you. I am too proud and too stubborn for my own good. I cannot accept your charity. You have done more than enough already for my family and I. We will forever be in your debt; I can't ask this of you as well. We will be fine, I promise.” She gave him a sad smile to try and tell him kindly that the conversation was over.

William however wasn't about to let it drop. “Why are you Summers' women so stubborn?” Finally letting go of Buffy’s hand he stalked over to the window. He could see Buffy’s little sister and her brother walking in the gardens. Watching them talking together, he realized what he could do to help the family. Turning back to Joyce, he looked at her with renewed hope in his eyes.

“The whelp is out of work at the moment right?”

“Whelp?” Joyce just stared at him confused.

“Your son.”

Realization dawned on Joyce’s face over what he was talking about. “Oh you mean Alex? Yes. Thanks to Mr. Finn, the mine no longer employs Alex. Which I suppose is a mild blessing in disguise now he no longer has to go down the mines, but it’s also bad news for the family. Why do you ask?”

“Well you see, when Liam and Darla died, I also lost a very trustworthy man-servant. Now if the whelp is willing to do a few things around the manor, I’ll pay him a decent wage. Enough to see your family over.”

Joyce looked at his unsure. “Umm.”

“Think about it Joyce it makes perfect sense, and isn’t just me giving the family charity. I won’t just be giving you money; you’ll be earning it. Yet you are still close enough for when Buffy wakes up. See, what’s bad about that?” He looked at her hopefully.

“Well I’ll have to ask Alex but I can’t see why not. Thank you William. I’ll go and find him. Are you ok here?”

“Yes! Now go!” and with that, a slightly happier Joyce left the room. Leaving just Buffy and William in the room together.

Sitting back down in the chair he held her hand tight again. “See baby. I’ll look after your family, just like I’ll look after you; you just have to wake you baby. I know you can.” For a brief second, William was sure he felt Buffy’s hand twitch in his. His heart swelled as he looked at her. “That’s it, wake up princess, you can beat this.” But as he looked at her she was still once again.

Settling back down into the chair, his heart sinking back down to the bottom of his chest, he held her hand tight and closed his eyes. He knew she would wake up, it just had to be in her own time and not on anyone else’s, and Buffy never was one to do things on other peoples timetables.

***
That afternoon Alex started working with the rest of the staff. It was a help that they all appreciated. Most of the staff were still mourning the loss of Larry, however the new houseguest brought a welcome distraction. For everyone except for Willow that was.

While having the Summers’ here had finally released the poetic William from the drunken stupor that he had lived in since Elizabeth had been forced to leave. It was revealed that he was a much kinder and more tolerable master than any she had had before him. However despite all this Willow couldn’t seem to find calm. Her whole Body seemed wracked with worry and concern for the fate of her best friend, who currently laid resting in a coma upstairs. Every time the doctor came, she quizzed him about Elizabeth’s condition, but there was never any change. The longer that she slept the less confident he seemed about her waking up and regaining consciousness. Willow on the other hand refused to give up hope.

She longed for distraction but little was bringing her distraction at the moment. Oz had succeeded for a while in distracting her. He had found her one day, not long after Elizabeth had been brought to the manor. Willow had been alone in the barn, crying silently. He had snuck up behind her and placed his hands over her eyes, before kissing her gently on the neck. Turning her around they had sat down in the hay, and had talked for at least a half an hour.

Willow had discussed her fears of losing her best friend. After many tears and hugs and long conversations they had stood up ready to make their way back to the manor. Then there, amongst the hay and the mucking out tools, Oz had sank to one knee. Pulling out a ring, he had proposed to the woman he loved, there and then. Overcome with his love and passion, she agreed without a second thought.

Between them, they had decided that they wouldn’t announce their engagement to everyone until Elizabeth was out of the woods and there was cause for celebration within the household.

As she now carefully carried the tray of food up that Maggie had made for Master William, she thought of the ring that she carried in her apron pocket. Though not a large diamond, or the most expensive, it showed of Oz’s love and devotion to her. As she carried on walking up the staircase she mused about what would happen between the two lovebirds upstairs now. Their relationship was no longer a secret. The whole household knew, and it appeared most of the village knew now as well. They no longer had to hide their love behind closed doors.

As she approached the room Elizabeth was staying in she quietly opened the door and slipped in. William had his head laid on the bed next to Elizabeth’s hand, he was snoring softly. Elizabeth was lying in the same place she had been for the last two and a half weeks.

Placing the tray on the bedside table, she went and knelt next to her best friend. Holding her hand tight, she looked at her face.

“Hey you, its Will. I don’t know whether you can hear me or not, the doctors didn’t say, but that doesn’t mean I can’t talk to you even if you can’t hear me. You can’t shut me up darling. I miss you, Elizabeth, I need you to wake up.” Tears welled in her eyes, and slowly started to run down her cheeks and dripped on to Elizabeth’s hand that was held tight in her own.

“Please, you have to wake up. Umm what have you missed while you have been sleeping? Do you know about Liam and Darla? Oh Stupid Willow, asking questions you can’t answer. Umm well anyway they died. They both got this illness. I know you won’t grieve the loss much, neither of them meant anything to you, I know, not after what Liam did. I just thought you should be kept up to date. I think Cordelia is missing him. She seemed very, umm, friendly around him. I think he was playing her, but he died before he could go all grr-y. So I guess she is left with happy memories now.

“Its funny she has settled in really well here now, she in nowhere near as stuck up as she was before, can you believe that?! She has been really invaluable since Larry… Oh god, you wouldn’t know. Larry died, Elizabeth. Same time as Liam. That’s who he caught that illness off, killed him within days. Its been quite hard.

“Sorry for the mass of information, I just want you to know what’s been going on.” Throughout her whole speech, neither Elizabeth nor William stirred. It made Willow feel like she was talking to herself, but she would do it a hundred times over if it was in any way helping Elizabeth. She would do anything that might help her friend wake up.

“What else do I have to tell you? Oh Elizabeth I have the happiest news! We haven’t told anyone yet. We are waiting until you wake up and grace us all with your presence again. We think it would be inappropriate to tell people when you are sleeping. But you have to wake up soon. I need my best friend for this. Elizabeth, I’m engaged! Oz, he asked me to marry him, and I said yes! I’m going to be his wife. I am so excited. I want you to be my bridesmaid, so you have to wake up.

“Oh but you should have been there. It was so romantic. Not as romantic as I hear Master William has been with you, or what he is like now! You should see, he hasn’t left your side since you came. He has been with you day and night. Oh its so sweet and…”

Suddenly Elizabeth’s hand moved. First it had just been her fingers twitching then her whole hand moved.

“Elizabeth?” Willow stood up quickly with great excitement. “Elizabeth, please!”

The sudden movement and noise had jolted William out of his sleep.

Willow pointed to Elizabeth’s moving hand, and excitement took over him. ‘That’s it baby, you can do it!”

Slowly her eyes began to flutter open. As her eyes struggled to focus round the room, finally she spoke her first words in weeks.

“Riley?”

William and Willow just stared at each other.

TBC…

Please please please leave me a review!!!!!!!
Getting There by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Again so sorry about delay, have been rushed off my feet. Will try get ending posted soon!

Please review, makes me go faster.
Chapter 36: Getting There.

“Riley? Riley is that you; are you there?”

Willow looked at William and could see that his heart was breaking. He had waited day and night by this girl’s side, sure of her feelings for him, and now here she was, wide awake and shattering his heart.

Kneeling down, Willow took hold of Elizabeth’s hand, forcing her to look at the red head. “Elizabeth!”

Standing up, William ran his hands through his hair and went and stood by the window with his back to the distraught girl. However no matter how much he refused to look at her, he couldn’t block out her voice calling endlessly for her ex-fiancé.

“Riley, if you are there I have to tell you something.”

Willow pleaded with her to calm down, that she had only just woken up from a coma, that all this could wait, but Elizabeth paid her no heed, she was too worked up to understand anything like where she was, or who was around her. Closing her eyes to shield them against the bright lights she continued.

“Listen Riley. I know you love me; I have never had any doubt in that. Although it pains me to do this to you, it is something that I must do; you see I can’t marry you Riley. It wouldn’t be fair to either of us to go through with it.” Suddenly William spun round again to look at her. It felt like his heart had lept into his throat.

“See Riley, the thing is, I am in love with someone else. My heart belongs to William.”

As William looked at the woman he loved who was confessing her love for him, his mouth formed a silent ‘oh’.

Elizabeth carried on her little monologue, oblivious to the people in the room, “I’ve known for a while now Riley, but I didn’t want to admit it to anyone, and I certainly couldn’t admit it to myself. I thought I could put aside my feelings and marry you so that it would help the rest of my family. But I can’t. I have messed things up so badly, and now I have lost the only person I have ever loved.” Tears started to well out of her closed eyes. “And now all I want is him here with me now.”

Rushing forward William dropped to his knees beside the bed. Willow stepped back to give the pair some room. Holding her hand tightly, William spoke softly, “Oh I am here baby; I am here.”

Slowly she opened her teary eyes, “William?”

“It’s me princess.” As he kissed her forehead, the two lovers cried tears of well needed joy at being back together.

Looking at Willow, William told her to go and inform the rest of the Summers and to call the doctor.

As Willow ran from the room, William and Elizabeth looked at each other and all their questions disappeared for the moment.

***
Over the next four days, all questions about royal linage, marriages, money and Drusilla were suspended, as efforts were made to get Elizabeth back on her feet.

The whole household was overcome with relief; it was as though a black cloud had been lifted from over them.

Slowly but surely everyone became more confident that, no matter what she had been through, Elizabeth would make a full and startling recovery.

On the fifth day, Elizabeth was out of the bed that she had inhabited for the last three weeks. She started by just wandering around her bedroom while she had had some time alone.

However never one for staying in the same place, she had soon gotten bored of it and, with her stomach rumbling loud enough to wake a giant, had decided to venture out of her room.

With bare feet and wearing only a nightgown, Elizabeth slipped into the lavish hallway. As she looked around her, this place she had seen a million times, that had become engrained on her mind, suddenly made her feel very self conscious as she stood out here alone

Spying the concealed doorway to the servants’ quarters, Elizabeth headed over to it. She figured the best way to get by unseen down to the kitchens, was to go the way she knew best.

***
Opening the door into the kitchen, Elizabeth was hit by the wave of heat; she had forgotten just how warm this room could get with the stove burning away in the corner.

As she looked around she was surprised to see that everything seemed to be exactly as it had been the day that she had been dismissed. The only difference was that there didn’t seem to be as much meat hanging up, but Elizabeth just realised that was probably as there were less mouths to feed now. Willow had told Elizabeth about the losses in the household the day before, yet she still found it hard to comprehend. How could William own all this now? Could Liam and Darla really no longer be here? It all just boggled her mind. She was still under the impression that William was now married as no one had thought to inform her otherwise.

As Elizabeth stepped further into the kitchen, Maggie spoke to her without turning around from the stove, exactly as she had done on Elizabeth’s first night here.

“I guess your stomach finally called you down.”

“Hello Maggie.”

Turning round Maggie looked at her with a smile on her face. “Hello. Would you like something to eat?”

“Please,” Taking the same seat at the table that she had always sat at, Elizabeth sank into the chair and readily accepted the bowl of soup that Maggie offered.

“How are you feeling today?”

“Ok miss, to say that I have been asleep the last few weeks. I can’t believe that so much has changed. I was sorry to hear about Larry, miss.”

“Nothing is constant, you know that well.”

“Yes.” Falling quiet Elizabeth mused over how many changes her life had seen.

Suddenly the silence was broken as Willow came into the room. “Oh hello! What are you doing out of your room missy?”

Hiding a smile, Elizabeth looked at her best friend with an innocent look on her face. “What, me?”

Seating herself next to Elizabeth, Willow couldn’t hold back the giggle that surfaced. Soon it was as though the two girls had spent no time apart, they were talking again about everything that had been going on. As Maggie got back to making the evening meal with Tara’s help, the two girls there left to talk in private.

“Well then, are you going to tell me all about this engagement? I can’t believe you only mentioned it on passing two days ago and then leave me hanging. I need details!”

“Ok. Ok! What do you want to know?” Willow asked.

“Everything!” Elizabeth couldn’t help smiling; her best friend was so shy, “How did he propose?”

“Oh gosh, you should have been there, it was so romantic. I was in the barn, I have to admit I wasn’t really in the mood for seeing anyone. Anyway he found me there. We talked for ages. It was really relaxing and lovely. Made me feel all calm again. Then when we were leaving, he, oh Elizabeth, he got down on one knee. It was the most romantic thing I have veer experienced. He said he never wanted to lose me and that I would make him the happiest man alive!”

“Oz really said all that? I can’t imagine him saying more than one word.”

Willow smiled; it was a smile that Elizabeth could tell showed how much she was in love. “He actually talks a lot more than you might think! Oh Elizabeth I love him so much!”

“Oh Will you sound so happy.”

“Oh I am, I really, really am.” Leaning over she hugged her best friend so tight that Elizabeth found it hard to breath.

“Oh ok, oxygen becoming a problem!”

“Oh sorry,” Quickly she let going looking guilty. “Umm Elizabeth, I have something to ask you. I was wondering, would you consider being my bridesmaid? It would mean so much to me if you said yes.”

“Oh silly! Of course I’ll do it; I would be upset if you didn’t want me.”

Leaning over, Willow hugged her really tight again, nearly sending the two girls tumbling over the chair. She couldn’t keep the wide smile off her face. Now that her best friend was out of the woods and she had the world’s greatest fiancé, how could she not be the happiest woman alive?

As Willow described what she wanted for the wedding and what they could actually have, the two girls talked for hours, about everything. They never realised how fast time was going by.

Hearing a commotion outside of the kitchen both girls looked round stunned. Standing up Willow walked towards the door. “What the…”

Suddenly Amy came bursting through the door almost knocking Willow flat on her bottom. “Oh Willow, sorry. Has anyone seen Elizabeth, Mater William is going crazy looking for her. She isn’t in her room.”

Putting her hand up, Elizabeth waved it about warily. “I’m Elizabeth.”

“Oh hey! Oh you best get back upstairs, before Master William goes totally crazy.”

“Ok I’m going. Gosh I didn’t realise how long I had been here. Thank you for the food Maggie.” And with that she got up from her chair, gave Willow one more hug and made her way back up the stairs.

As she reached the room, she took a deep breath and walked into the room. William was pacing like mad in the room, so much so that you could see a line on the floor where his feet had been.

As he heard the door open, he spun round, his eyes growing wide as he looked at Elizabeth stood before him. Rushing over, he embraced her tightly in his arms, kissing her all over her face.

“Oh Elizabeth, I was so worried, I thought you had run away again. Please don’t scare me like that.”

“Sorry William, I needed something to eat. I was starting to feel more like your prisoner than your guest.”

William stood there shocked at her words, did she really think that. Taking her hand he led her over to the bed.

“Elizabeth, I think that its time we have a little talk.”

“I agree.” Sitting down next to him on the large bed, she held his hand tight. “Where should we start?”

TBC…

Please please please review, only takes a second!!!
Talking by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Not too long thankful this time, but still longer than I would have liked.
Review and I will update sooner, As Cile will clarify its at my beta, so it should be posted soon. Please review though, they make me happy, especially with how ill i am feeling!
Chapter 37: Talking

Elizabeth and William sat facing each other. Staring at William, Elizabeth felt him turn away from her.

After two minutes of no one speaking, Elizabeth heaved a sigh. "You know when you said we should talk; it actually helps if someone says something."

William looked up guiltily. "Sorry pet. Just not sure where we should start. So much has happened. Where do we start to talk about this? I just know we can't leave it festering."

Elizabeth smiled, she understood his predicament. "Well if you can't talk about this, then I'll just have to start. I'm sorry about your parents."

"Hell, they got what was coming to them, you know that Buffy."

Elizabeth smiled as she heard her nickname from his lips once again. She had missed hearing his kind voice calling her name. Taking a deep breath, she looked up with sadness in her eyes.

"Listen William, Thank you for your kindness, it is more than I could possibly have asked for. You have looked after my family and I without a word of complaint. You have helped my family in their time of need. Even if I live to be 100 I could never repay the kindness that you have shown. However I must stress that we cannot inconvenience you anymore. Although you may not mind I am sure that your wife will differ."

"My wife? Oh Buffy has no one told you? I'm not married. You got it all wrong."

"You mean you didn't marry Drusilla?”

William shook his head. “No.”

“You didn't take her back?" Tears formed in her eyes as the realization sank in.

"No, I am definitely not married. If you will have me, I would like to be yours."

The words went straight through Elizabeth; was he asking her to marry her again "No. William I have told you, we can't be together like that, we are just too different."

"Elizabeth I know. I know about your past. Your mother informed me. See, love, we aren't that different, we can be together."

Suddenly Elizabeth was on her feet pacing the room.

"She had no right to tell you. It’s not something I wanted you to know. How dare she? How can you even look at me now? See William we are nothing alike, I could never marry you."

William looked confused, "What do you mean, 'how can I look at you?'? Buffy I don't understand. I am supposed to be disgusted that you are royalty, or maybe because you where marry that oaf? Why I am supposed to not even be able to look at you. Let me in Buffy; let me know what’s going on in your head."

"This has nothing to do with Riley, William. I was just doing what I had to do; doing what my family deserved." She went and stood at the window with her back to him, tears still swimming in her eyes. "My mother must have told you why we are no longer in the royal family, why we no longer live in England. Why we must now live without the decadence we once did, why we must live our lives like peasants. That’s why I ask how you can look at me." Her voice had risen as she got more and more worked up, now it dropped to below a whisper as she spoke her last line. "You must know what I am supposed to have done.”

William heard what she had said all the same. "No Elizabeth she didn't tell me, she didn't get a chance. All I know is that it is somehow linked to your father, your real father. Why don't you tell me? Elizabeth I love you with all my heart, nothing you tell me could change that, not for a moment. Please Elizabeth, tell me, let me share your pain." Standing up, he went and stood behind her placing his arms tightly around her. Resting his head on her shoulder, he felt her sag as the world tumbled down around her.

Turning around she folded herself into his embrace, her tears stained his shirt. "It was when I was 16; when I was first out in society. My father had high hopes for me, wanted to further his position in life by using me. He used to say I was the beauty of the family, though secretly I knew he was disappointed in me, I guess that made him despise me. I never excelled with my governess, I could barely sew, my music playing was atrocious. Numerous times I had heard him tell me that it was a good thing that I was pretty or else he would have had me sold off like a slave. I despised my father. I think everyone knew that. I was an unruly child, spurred on by his callous treatment of me. I know that never helped our relationship.”

Stepping away from Williams’s warm arms, Elizabeth went and sat back down on the bed and looked up at William.

“When I was 11, Giles became my teacher; he treated me like the daughter my own father should have treated me as. The more time I spent with my tutor the more I came to respect him and the more I came to resent my real father, I hardly even saw him as my father anymore just a man I was related to.

“Then like I said, when I was 16, I caught my father plotting against his cousin, the king. I always knew my father was power hungry. The way he used to dominate over us, his family, it just showed. I was so angry; I wanted to hurt my father the way he had been hurting all of us for so long, so I threatened to tell the king. I was very close to my uncle at the time, I knew he would listen, I didn’t know at the time that my father would use that closeness against me.

“My father got angry at me when I told him I would tell, I remember the way he looked at me with such fire in his eyes. For the first time in my life, my stubbornness deserted me and I was left with just fear as he approached me. I escaped his clutches with only a few slaps. I went to the safety of my mother, I told her of what had happened. I fear she didn't believe me; she cared so much for her husband, she was too naive to see the monster he really was. Even to this day I am not one hundred percent sure she believes my story.

“When I appeared in public the next day, no one would even look at me. I was confused as to why but didn't let it bother me. I was resolved to tell the king of his cousin’s treachery. But I was too late."

As William listen to her story of how she had become the person he saw before him now, he suddenly remembered why he knew Hank Summers name so well. He remember the scandal, he had been in London at the time. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing about it.

"I can see from you face, William, you know how this story ends. You’re right. I was too late, my father had got to Charles first, turned him against me. The king wouldn't even see me. He trusted his cousin above all else. I wasn’t even able to plead my case. Nobody would listen to me now, my name was poisoned. My father had told the king how he had caught me in bed with one of the king’s enemies; he told him that my apparent closeness to the king was to try to find a weakness with which to tell his enemies. My father made out I was the one trying to betray the king, not himself. No one would listen to my side any more, my name was being slandered everywhere I turned.

“Thankfully the kings kindness and his love for me which never really disappeared, let me live, but we couldn't live in London anymore, we were outcasts. By destroying my name, my father had successfully destroyed the name of everyone I loved.

“He himself was fine, he was cast into the role of royal hero, saving the king from a terrible fate. He was lavished with gifts and power, anyone who had ever doubted his honor was now silenced. He got what he had always wanted. He had managed to single handedly get rid of all the thorns in his side and with no more family to tie him down he was free.

“So my family and I did the only thing that we could, we fled the country; started again.

“We could no longer afford the luxury we once had and it was all because of me, but at least people would talk to us again. Here no one knew us, we were just more new strangers in the town. And that’s how it’s been for the last three years, until now.

“Now you've come alone, and taken away my safety barriers. Oh William I love you so much. But I knew I couldn't marry you, ever since the day you told you had lived most your life in London, I knew that you would know the truth about me; and though it broke my heart, I knew I couldn't let you get too close and I couldn't let you see who I was. That’s why I left William, god knows I didn’t want to, Darla knew though, she'd known all along, I couldn't let my family’s lives be destroyed all over again, we couldn't start again. This is our home now, this is where we belong."

Burrowing her head into the covers she cried with all her heart. Walking over to her, William sat on the bed with her and held her as sobs wracked her body.

"Don't cry, princess, it breaks my heart to see you cry. Baby, I don't think any less of you, I promise. I don’t know why you were so afraid to tell me. You can trust me. I know now that what your father said was untrue. I believe you Elizabeth. As I told you before, nothing will make me think any less of you. You are an angel, you're my angel Elizabeth. I don't understand why you couldn't tell me."

"You are an English gentleman, William, as much as you try to deny it. I knew you would know my name. Everyone in England knows little Eliza Anne Summers. I thought if I told you who I was then you would never look at me the same again."

"Oh Elizabeth you can be so silly at times. I love you. And no matter what I had heard, I would still have loved you. You can't get rid of me that easily." Smiling her stroked her blond hair off her face. Sitting up, Elizabeth went and sat in his knee and snuggled up into his embrace.

“I still can’t marry you.”

Though her head was snuggled into his shoulder and the words where barely audible, William heard her fine. Pushing gently at her shoulders, he looked deep into her bloodshot eyes, “Why not?”

“William like I said, you sir are an English Gentleman, you have ties over there. Though your life and soul are here now, part of you is still over there. While my name is still seen as the enemy over there, I can’t have your name linked with it, with me. People would find out William that I was your wife. Even if we told nobody, they would find out, people always find out. See William, if I were to marry you, your name would be pulled down with mine, and they would know where I was and then my family would be pulled down as well. And before you say you don’t care, don’t lie to me, I know deep down you do care, or at least part of you does. So while the selfish part of me, wants to leap and dance and tell you I’ll marry you, the sensible part of my brain tells me I can’t. I’m sorry. Do you understand?”

William suddenly understood with perfect clarity why Elizabeth was saying the things that she was. Pulling her close he gently kissed her forehead. He knew why she wouldn’t marry him. She couldn’t put the people she loved in danger. When it came down to it Elizabeth really was a hero. “I understand.”

Slowly the two lovers lay down together; wrapped up in each other’s arms they closed their eyes and fell into a deep sleep. Locked in each others embrace the two lovers were safe from the whole world. Here nothing could get them. But for how long could they stay locked in this equilibrium.

TBC…

Please please please leave me a review!
Looking to the future by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Sorry it has been soooooooooo long since i last posted. I have been away and forgot to leave chapters for someone to post for me. It was once i was in Rome i remembered. So i appologise.
Chapter 38; looking to the future.

When Elizabeth finally woke up it was light outside. Glancing over at the grandfather clock against the far wall, she saw that she had been sleeping for the last 12 hours. After being in a coma for so long, Elizabeth would have been sure she couldn't have slept any more even if she tried, but it seemed she was wrong. It appeared that after all the emotion and tears of yesterday’s talks it had worn her down.

Fear that William was no longer with her, she sat bolt up right. Looking to her left, she saw him. He was propped up on his hands, just staring at her with love in his eyes. Relaxing, she gently lay back down against the soft feather pillow.

"Good morning sleepy head. How are you feeling this morning?"

‘‘Strangely enough, I feel sleepy. You would not think I had been asleep as long as I have. How about you though? How are you feeling this morning?"

"Like I am in the present of an angel."

His honest tone made Elizabeth giggle and turn away embarrassed. Thankfully her stomach grumbled loudly enough for them both to hear, sparing her from having to say anything.

She looked at William red faced. "It is getting late we should probably get up before people start asking questions."

"Let’s go and get you some food missy."

"Thank you William, for everything." Sitting up she swung her legs over the edge of the bed.

"Elizabeth?" She turned back to look at him with a perplexed look on her face. "Why is it always William now? Why do you not call me our nicknames, you have only called me William since when you woke for your illness."

Elizabeth once again looked at him ashamed. "I thought you wouldn't like me to call you that anymore. Not since you are now the master of the house. I didn't think you would want our silly names for each other."

"Oh Buffy, I would like nothing more than to go back to where we were."

Giving him a shy smile, she looked at him. "Ok, Spike. I would like that too."

A wide smile split his face. "Come on then, pet, let’s go and get you some food."

Smiling, the two lovers left the room together, proud to show the world their love.

***
When Buffy and Spike got downstairs, Buffy started heading towards the kitchen to go and get some food, when she felt Spikes hand on her arm. "Where are you going, pet?"

She looked at him puzzled. "What do you mean, Spike? I'm going to the kitchen. Getting food."

"Why are you going to the kitchen? Come to the dining room with me, we will get something to eat."

Sighing, she turned back to William. Facing him she held both his hands in hers. "William, I can't be that person anymore. I am not a sit-there-and-be-waited-on person anymore. I'm a sit-in-the-kitchen-not-get-in-the-way-girl. Understand?"

"Yeah I guess I do. Well then, if you won't come to me, I’ll just have to come to you." Walking in front of her, he started to walk with Buffy being dragged behind him.

"Spike! Where are you going?"

"Kitchen. Come on, not going to get fed out here."

Spellbound, she followed him into the kitchen."

***
Once they had eaten, Buffy and Spike went back up to the bedroom. Feeling a little tired, she went and sat down on the bed.

Walking over to the window, William watched as the sun spread over the gardens. Turning back, he looked at the girl he loved spread on the bed.

"Well then missy, you have spent long enough in this house."

Buffy looked at him shocked, was he really about to kick her out after everything they had talked about?

"Hey, don't look so scared. I just meant, time we got you back out in that sunshine where you belong. You are going to get dressed, while I go and find us a good book and get Red to sort us some food. I will see you downstairs in half an hour my lady."

Bowing gracefully like the gentleman he was, he left the room, leaving Elizabeth just as confused.

Standing up she decided to do as he asked, ringing the bell by the side of her bed she waited until someone arrived. When they did, she asked if it was possibly she could have some clothes, as she knew all she had been wearing when she had been brought here was her undergarments.

***
William paced the floor at the bottom of the stairs. Was he being too forward asking her to join him? As he looked up his breath was suddenly taken away. There at the top of the stairs stood his angel, looking resplendent. She wore a simple dress, which he could only assume was either one of her sister’s or one of the servants. Her loose hair was covered with a simple hat, and she wore gloves that covered her delicate hands.

As she descended down the stairs, William wondered what he had ever done to deserve a girl as wonderful as this one.

"You look wonderful, my lady."

Buffy giggled, "Thank you, kind sir."

Taking her arm he led her towards the door and out in to the garden. "Now I know that you won't be up to much, and I know the doctor said you needed rest. So bearing all this in mind, I have had the pavilion set up, with a selection of delectable treats. I just hope that you approve."

As Buffy saw the pavilion in question come into view before her, her breath was stolen from her. There on the table seemed to lie every delicious food imaginable, and then in the center of the table, lay a brand new copy of ‘Love in Excess’ by Eliza Haywood. Walking over to it, she ran her fingers along the leather bound cover. "William." She knew her voice sounded in awe but she didn't care.

"It’s for you, it’s all for you."

Smiling, she picked up the heavy book and carried it over to William. Handing it to him, she looked longingly into his eyes. "Would you read to me?"

Nodding, the two lovers, sat down and together they read page after page of romance, getting swept away by the emotions in the pages.

They repeated this every day for the next week. William would come and wake Elizabeth with delicate kisses. Together they would then stroll down to the pavilion, and seemed to spend the rest of the day reading together.

On the eighth day, Elizabeth was snuggled up close to William. As he closed the book on the last page, she held him a little bit tighter, happy that she had found her soul mate. "What are we going to read tomorrow then sir?"

"No can do, princess. I'm not here tomorrow. You will have to entertain yourself for a little while. I have to go out of the country for a couple of days. I'm sure though Red will need some helping planning this wedding I hear nothing else of." Smiling, he kissed her forehead. "Now then, let’s get you back inside before you get cold."

Holding hands they walked back to the house together.

***
When Elizabeth woke the following morning, her first reaction was one of loneliness. She had grown accustomed to Williams’s way of waking her, and had secretly hoped it would never stop. Now however, without him there next to her she felt a loneliness she hadn't felt in a while.

Getting dressed, she decided that she would do as William had said and went to go and find Willow.

She wasn't as hard to find as Elizabeth had first thought she would be. She was sat in the laundry room, surrounded by mountings of washing. Rolling up her sleeves, Elizabeth went and joined her. "Hey, Let me help."

Pushing her sweaty hair off her face, Willow gave her a gratefully smile. As the two started to work, Willow immediately started talking about her impending wedding. The day was only about a week off, and her nerves where starting to show slightly.

"My mother said I could wear her dress. So at least Oz will see me in something other than my uniform. Priest Charlton will do the service. I think the whole village will turn out. It’s all so exciting. I am so glad that you will be there with me; don’t think I could have done it without you with me.

"Although it’s unorthodox, we will both have to carry on working, that’s until I am with child. We can't afford to leave work, not yet anyway. At least we will be together. Oh Elizabeth it’s all so exciting."

"You sound happy."

"I really really am. I have found the man that I dream about."

"I know the feeling." Unashamed to tell Willow of her relationship with William, the two girls spent the rest of the afternoon talking about their men and weddings.

***
When Elizabeth woke on the fourth day of William’s absence, she had grown used to no longer being woken by his kisses, but she still missed him with a burning passion. Nobody really knew what he was doing; all anyone knew was that he was out of the country. Elizabeth knew that whatever he was doing must be very important. She had faith in that.

Getting dressed, she decided to carry on what she had been doing for the last three days. Her inquisitive nature had finally taken over, and she had relished the chance to explore the household fully.

As she walked downstairs, she saw Amy rushing around. "Hello Amy."

"Hello Elizabeth. I bet you are happy this morning."

"No more than normal, I bet Willow is excited though, only three more days and she is Mrs. Osbourne."

"Silly! I don't mean you will be happy because of Willow, I meant because Master William is due back today."

"What? When did you find out?"

"Oh he sent word last night, it was late when the messenger got here though, you might have been asleep, I wouldn't have blamed you. Apparently he has managed to achieve what he needed to do, and will be back late this evening. He wouldn't say what he had to do though. It’s a mystery to everyone."

Elizabeth could barely contain her smile her prince was coming back to her. She knew she would be on tender hooks all day waiting for his return.

"Thank you for letting me know, Amy."

"Your welcome, 'fraid I really must get on though.” And with that she ran off back into the kitchen.

Happily, Elizabeth walked in a dreamlike state back to her bedroom.

***
By 7.00 o' clock there was still no sign of William, it appeared that he had been delayed. Deciding that if it got much later she would have to give up hope of seeing him tonight, Elizabeth sat on the bed and pulled the book from off the bedside table closer to her.

Hearing what she thought where horses hooves on the gravel outside, Elizabeth bookmarked the page she was reading and set the book down. Glancing over at the wall, she saw that it was approaching 10.00pm.

Placing her feet into the delicate slippers that had been provided, she went and stood by the window. Sure enough there was William riding his horse up on towards the house.

Turning away from the window, she smoothed down her dresses, pinching her cheeks to create a glowing persona, she checked herself in the mirror, before finally settling herself down on the chaise long, just in time for William opening the door.

“Spike!” Jumping up from the chaise she looked at him. “I was starting to wonder if you weren’t coming back at all.”

Taking his riding coat off, he threw it over the end of the bed. “Of course I was coming back, baby. I have something for you.”

Producing a newspaper from behind him, he handed it to Elizabeth.

Giving him a puzzled look, Elizabeth looked down at the paper. As she read the headline, all the air suddenly left her body, with a shocked expression; she sunk down onto the chaise again. Unable to comprehend what the piece of paper in front of her was saying.


TBC…



Please leave me a review!! And thank you to Louise for beta-ing this chapter for me!! You're a little star.
Making things right by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Wow sooooooo close to the end now!!!!!!!! Hope you are all still enjoying!!!!! Please please please review!!!
Chapter 39; Making things better

Elizabeth stared in shock at paper in her hands. Reading the headline again, 'King’s Cousin Persecuted', she then read the rest of the story, barely able to comprehend what it was telling her.

When she had read it for a second time, she set it down next to her and looked at William.

"William, I…I don't understand."

"They caught him Buffy. The bastard has been put away."

"But how did you?" Buffy was in shock. Her father’s treachery had finally been brought to light and he was being held in contempt by the king. It was all so confusing. Elizabeth was sure she must have fallen asleep after all and this was all just a dream. She had dreamt of this moment for the last three years.

"I just needed the evidence, that’s all it was. I knew I couldn't do anything until I had that. So I waited. I knew, Buffy, if he had slipped up once he was bound to do it again. Then, pet, a few days before I left for bonnie ol' England, I got a letter telling me that solid proof had been found."

"But how? Where’d you…?" Elizabeth couldn't get over that he would do all this for her family, he was her hero.

"I have influence in London, not much but some. And my father has even more. I found that one of the servants, who used to work here--one my father had diddled with--is now chambermaid to your father. It took me a while to convince her that she’d be safe if she did this for me. But I managed to convince her to search Hank’s room.

"She did it every time that he was away. I must admit I lost hope that she would find anything; it seemed to be taking so long. Your father was cunning; he hid all evidence well, but not well enough.

"On the sixth day, she sent me word she had found the evidence that I needed. Your father was certainly meticulous; he seems to have kept every letter he ever wrote, including the one to the king’s conspirators.

"Armed with the proof that I needed, I set out to get justice done, and to clear my princess’s name. I couldn't tell you what I was doing, though I longed to. I couldn't get your hopes up. I knew there was a chance I wouldn't be able to get anyone to even look at my findings. But I went to England anyway; I knew that I couldn't give up, not for a second."

Elizabeth sat in silence as he told his story; she couldn't understand why someone would do all this for her. Everyone she had met in life seemed to abandon her at one stage or another; she couldn't comprehend that William loved her so much that he wouldn't leave her.

"When I was in England, my first job was getting someone to listen; I knew that would be the hardest task. But as you said Buffy, as much as I deny it, I am still an English gentleman, turns out that that still has some sway over there, especially the Hartley name. I managed to get the king to agree to see me. He took a lot of convincing, but, as you know, I am not one to give up.

"Though he tried to deny it at first, he couldn't hide from what I was showing him. He did what he had to do, Buffy. Your father was arrested, it’s been rumored they may even deport him. Baby, your name has been cleared. You are no longer poison. Your family is free."

"Oh William! I love you so much!" Jumping up she hugged him tightly, almost swinging her whole weight onto his body. "Wait until I tell Alex and the rest of the family. We have longed for this day. I didn't think the truth would ever surface. You are amazing; you’re an amazing man. Thank you so much for doing this for us."

"I did it all for you Buffy, I would walk on hot coals if I knew it would make you happy. Always for you, you must know that."

"Oh Spike, you treat me like a queen, how could I ever live without you in my life?"

Sitting back down, with a happy smile, she picked the paper back up and read it though again, amazed at all that William had done for her. Spike sat next to her, peppering her shoulder with light kisses as she read.

"Spike?"

Looking up from her shoulder, he tilted his head to once side as she talked to him. "Yes, pet?"

"What’s this about at the bottom, 'The King now calls out for his disgraced niece, who recently had her name cleared of all treachery, to be reinstated into the Royal family, after many years of desuetude'?"

"Oh that, you were right, love, King does love you. Guess the guy feels bad for sending you away. Wants you back by his side, part of the royal family again. Back to being 29th inline to the throne."

"Oh," suddenly Elizabeth’s mood dropped. "If I go back, then we wouldn't be together anymore."

"We both have our place, pet; I guess mine is here now there is no more Liam. I guess the question is: where is your place, or more importantly, where does your heart lie?"

"My heart? That’s here with you. But can I really ask my family to stay here, when they are being offered the chance back into their luxury that they deserve. Can I really be that selfish?"

William looked disheartened, he had thought that solving Buffy's problems would solve everything, but he had been wrong.

Smiling weakly, Buffy cupped his face in her hands. "I’ll write to my uncle, and I will go and see Giles. He always used to know what to do. But I guess it should wait until morning, tonight it will be just you and me. Please, stay with me."

Nodding, the two lovers went and lay on the bed together.

***
Buffy woke with a start the following morning; jumping out of bed, she ran over to the chaise and picked up the newspaper. As she read it through again, a groggy voice was heard from the bed. "Still just as real as it was last night. Now come back to bed."

Smiling, Buffy put the paper down and went over and kissed William gently on the check. "I can't come back to bed. I need to go and see Giles. Will you be alright?" Williams’s mood dropped.

"Yes, I'll be fine, love. Now you get going. The sooner you go the sooner you get back. "

Smiling, Buffy kissed him lightly again, before leaving the room.


***
Giles was still at the small Summers house. While Joyce, Alex and Anya--so she could be close to Alex--were currently living at Hartley Manor, the rest of the family had continued living in the small Summers cottage.

Taking one of the horses, Buffy arrived at the house in no time. Entering the small house she saw Giles reading; it was a comforting sight after all the craziness of the last few weeks.

"Giles!"

Looking up he saw the girl he saw as a daughter stood there in the doorway. "Oh Buffy," standing up he went and gave her a tight hug. "How are you feeling?"

His kind gentle voice made Buffy smile, the way it had always done when he had still been her tutor. Inside he always seemed to make her feel calm, like no problem was too big.

"Giles, I need you help."

"Ok, let’s sit down and talk about it."

And that’s exactly what they did, for the next two hours they discussed everything this turn of events had brought with it.

When Elizabeth mounted the horse later to go back to Hartley manor, she felt calm again and back in control of the situation. Armed with a letter to send back to her uncle, she made her way back to the place that she saw as home now.

***
When she got back to the manor, she led her horse round to the stable before going off in search of her love.

He was easy to find. Buffy found him sat in his library pretending to read, but really she knew he had been sat there waiting for her return, much like she would do when he went away.

‘‘Hey, Spike.''

Putting the book down on the desk, he went over to his love and captured her in a tight hug.

‘‘Hey baby, how did it go?''

Buffy smiled, feeling happier than she had in a while. "I talked to Giles for what felt like hours. He helped me clarify things. Over the last three and a half years, we have all changed so much. We aren't the same people who left London that fateful day. We have all come so far; we learned to fend for ourselves. We couldn't go back to London and fit in, we couldn't go back to just pretending none of this ever happened. Our lives are here now whether we like it or not. Giles helped me see that’s its not just me that feels this, all my family feel the same, they have forged themselves a life here, made friends and relations. I would be cruel to ask them to leave it all behind.

"So, I have written to my uncle. Telling him that while I am grateful for his kind offer, I write on behalf of the family, and we regret to announce that we must decline his generous offer; we cannot go and live in London, as our lives now belong here.

"I have however asked that we may have my father’s inheritance, at least then my family can live in comfort. The way they should.

"So there you go, guess you won't be getting rid of me anytime soon."

Spike smiled like a schoolboy in love. "I love you Miss Buffy Summers, you really are something."

The future certainly looked a little brighter now for the two soul mates. Together they would face it. Together they could overcome any challenge.

TBC...

Please leave a review, only takes a second!! Please!
New Lives by Nikilicious
Author's Notes:
Wow, finally at the end!!! Feel so sad to be at the end.. i think I am going to miss writing this one, guess I am just going to dive in and write others. I just want to say a big thank you to everyone that has stuck with me throughout this one, and thank you sooo much for all the review, I can't believe i have over 300! You have all made me soo amazingly happy! I can't help smiling everytime i look at this fic now... so thank you everyone. Hope you all enjoy the last chapter. Please leave me a last review!!!
Chapter 40: New Lives

Elizabeth was awakened in the middle of the night by a loud knocking on her door. Opening the door, she saw Willow stood there wearing just her nightgown, Screams of pain could be heard outside the room.

"It’s Anya, Elizabeth, she is having the baby."

Grabbing the shawl off the end of the bed, Elizabeth ran from the room before Willow could say anything else. She headed straight to Anya and Alex's room.

After all that had happened in the last few days, the entire Summers family had been moved into nicer rooms in the house while they looked for a house to buy themselves.

In their room, Anya was laid on the bed in what appeared to be lots of pain. It seemed that she was far gone in the labor. Alex was at her side holding her hand tightly and placing kisses on her forehead. On the other side of Anya was Joyce. She held her daughter-in-law’s hand tightly, helping her breath through the pain. Tara stood with a bowl of warm water posed ready to help and Dawn was stood in the doorway watching the miracle of her new niece or nephew being born.

Then at the bottom of the bed helping the baby out, the job that Giles had done in the past, knelt William.

His sleeves were rolled up and his hair was mussed from sleep. Elizabeth felt her heart flutter as she watched him. She knew at that moment that she wanted to mother his children. She knew, without shadow of a doubt, he would make a wonderful father.

"That's it, pet, one more push, you are nearly there. I can see the head." Williams’s voice brought Elizabeth out of her daydream and back to the reality of what was taking place in the room.

Anya's cries of pain were clearly heard, "I don't want to push. Make it go away."

Alex, the ever-loving husband that he was, stroked the hair gently from her face. "Come on baby, you can do this, you have done it once, you can do it again. Come on Ahn."

With one last final push the baby was delivered to the world. The room was deadly silent and then a second later a small cry broke the silence as the small child took his first lungful of air.

"Congratulations," holding the child, William wrapped him in the blanket that Tara now held out, "You have a beautiful little boy."

Cleaning him off, Tara then gently placed the little boy in the welcoming arms of his proud father.

"Hey little guy," leaning over, he placed a gentle kiss on his exhausted wife’s lips. "You did good, baby. I am so proud of you. I have a son."

Joyce had tears in her eyes as she looked at her second grandchild. He was such a precious thing. His arrival greeted the start of a brilliant new stage in everyone’s life. A time when they had no more worries, thing were as they should always have been.

Wiping his hands on a clean towel, William unrolled his sleeves and walked over to Elizabeth.

"Hello, pet."

"Hey you." The two hugged each other tightly as they watched what went on in the room around them. "You did an amazing job, thank you." Giving him a gentle kiss, she then turned to her brother.

"Well then, Alex, what are you going to call this bundle of joy?"

"Ahn and I have discussed this actually. There really is only one name we want to call him. William you have helped us all so much. You have done more for my sister more than I think she realizes. You have managed single-handedly to achieve something that we had all been unable to do; you have managed to save my entire family from ruin. Therefore we would like to name our son, William Rupert Summers." looking down, he looked into the innocent face of his little son.

William was overwhelmed, and didn't really know what to say. Giving one more look around the room he could see everyone's happy, yet exhausted, faces. “Thank you. Well everyone, we should let these good people have some time alone. We should all get back to bed or else we will all look terrible for Red's big day tomorrow. And I am sure she won't want that either." He kissed Elizabeth on the forehead, “Go back to bed princess, Maid of Honor has a lot of work ahead of her tomorrow.”

Smiling, Buffy walked back to her bed in a dream like state.

Watching her go, William then turned back to the rest of the room. "Tara would you mind staying behind to make sure that Mr. and Mrs. Summers have everything that they require for Master William?"

"Of course not, sir."

"Thank you,” turning back to the happy couple he spoke, “Congratulation again you two, and well done Mrs. Anya. Well I hope you don't mind if I head back off to bed." Bowing politely he left the room.

***
The following day it was like spring had finally come to Hartley Manor. With the arrival of a new life in the house everyone’s sprits seemed higher than they had been in a long time.

The servants seemed mostly in a flutter as well. Once they had made breakfast for everyone in the house, they had been given the day off so that they could all attend Willow and Oz's wedding.

Elizabeth had barely been able to sleep properly when she had gone back to bed. She kept seeing her cute little nephew’s face in her dreams. His adorable little button nose and tiny little hands. He truly was a William; Elizabeth could see that even before he was a full day old.

At 8 o'clock she had been unable to hold off seeing him anymore and had wrapped her shawl tightly round herself and wandered off down the hall to go and see little William.

Opening her brother's bedroom door, she saw Anya and Alex were sat on the bed, with their cute little bundled nestled in the sheets between them.

"Hey you two; I have come to see little Master William."

"Come and sit here, Buff." Placing herself at the end of the bed, she watched as he tossed in his sleep. There were certainly no worries as far as he was concerned. He was a picture of health and happiness, the pure little angel he was.

After spending half an hour just watching and adoring her little nephew, and after a few small little cuddles, it was time for him to be fed. Leaving so that Anya could have some privacy, she headed back to her room.

As she got closer to her room, she could see a red headed person pacing in front of her room. As she got closer she saw the stress signs on her best friend’s face.

"Oh Elizabeth you’re here! Can you believe it I am getting married today! In three hours no less. But I have to start getting ready. Please will you come and help me. I would ask Tara but I know she was up half the night and I really don't want to disturb her. Oh gosh I am getting married. Can you believe it?”

"Will just calm down. I am maid of Honor I am at your disposal for as much or as little as you need me. Now then, are you getting ready in your room or mine?"

"Umm, well your room is bigger. Would it be ok if I got ready in yours?"

"That’s fine. Go and get yourself sorted, I'll go up to your room and go and get the dress. Anything else you want me to bring?"

"No, that’s fine. Just make sure Oz doesn't see you. He can't see the dress."

"Yes Willow." Smiling, Elizabeth headed off in the direction of the servant rooms.

As Willow entered her best friend’s room she felt slightly apprehensive. She had recently learnt of her friend’s secret identity and still didn't really know what to make of it. To her she was still the same kind hearted girl that she had always known, and she was sure that Elizabeth herself didn't look upon her any different. But still the thought lingered: what would other people think?

Entering the room, she realized that she had been worried to think that the room would show Elizabeth’s wealth and she would see no connection with the person she once knew. The room was, although bigger, much like Elizabeth had kept her servant room. It was sparse yet tidy, just like Elizabeth herself.

Walking over to the table by the window, there was an envelope with Willow’s name on it.

Curiously she picked it up; it felt bulky and heavy. Curiosity getting the better of her, she slowly opened it.

Inside was a small note in Elizabeth neat handwriting, and then wrapped inside the note was a small wad of money.

Confused she quickly read the note, however just at that moment Elizabeth came back in the room, panting under the weight of the dress. Guilty, Willow quickly put the letter and money down.

"One dress." Putting it gently down on the bed, Elizabeth turned to the bride-to-be.

Seeing her friends red face, she looked around her for the cause. There, lying messily on the table was the envelope that she had left out to give to Willow.

Motioning to it, she spoke to her embarrassed friend "I was waiting until later to give you that. It’s a wedding present from me.

"Will, you haven't really said anything since you found out who I really was. I am sorry I couldn't tell you before I really wanted to. Its just if didn't know what you would say. I was scared."

"Hey Elizabeth, just stop talking. I wouldn't have thought any less of you then and I don't think any less now. You are my best friend Elizabeth and you always will be, whether you are royalty or not. Thank you for the gift, it’s the sweetest thing you could have done for us. You know Oz and I can't really afford to get married. So thank you." Walking over, Willow gave her best friend a tight hug. "Now then, should we carry on getting ready for this wedding or not?"

With tears in her eyes over her friend’s amazing sweetness, Elizabeth smiled. Twirling a little piece of her friend’s hair between her fingers she smiled, "Come on then, let’s start on this hair."

Together the two girls went over to the dressing table and turned Willow into the resplendent bride that she was.

***
By the time they were ready to go to the church, Willow was a sack of nerves, and it was Elizabeth’s job to keep calming her down. Pacing the hallway as she waited for the horse and cart to pull round, the red head’s dress floated out behind her. The dress wasn't the most fashionable for the time, yet Willow still looked so beautiful in it.

"Oh Elizabeth, what if he has changed his mind? What if he no longer wants me? What if I get to the church and he isn't there?"

Placing her hands on Willow’s shoulders, Buffy looked deep into her eyes, "Will, trust me, the man is deeply in love with you, he won't have changed his mind, and he will be stood in that church right now probably nervous as you. Waiting for his princess."

Nodding, Willow gulped hard, just as Alex came through the main doors to tell them that their carriage waited.

Elizabeth, dressed in a simple cream dress, went and helped Willow out into the small cart. Jonathon sat in the driver’s seat, proud that he had been given the chance to do Oz's job for a change and on such a special occasion as well. As she climbed into the carriage herself, Elizabeth took time to note the effort that Jonathon had put in to make it look as magical as he could. The sides had ribbon running down them, and there were flowers picked from the garden in the corners and up round Jonathan. The horses’ reigns also had ribbon on them. It looked like it was out of a fairy tale, just like Willow wanted.

As they pulled up to the church, Elizabeth got out first before helping the bride out. As the walked up to the church the smell of flowers was overpowering. The small village church seemed abundant with them. They covered the arch doorway and the small path leading up to the church, Elizabeth knew that the inside would be full of them too, it appeared as though the village had gone all out for this wedding, it was clear Willow and Oz were well loved.

As they entered the church, it took Elizabeth’s breath away. The small building was fuller than she had ever seen it before in her life. Every seat was taken and the aisles along the side were packed with standing people, people who didn't want to miss this occasion. It appeared Elizabeth had misjudged just how loved Willow and Oz were. Everybody in the entire village had turned out for the wedding; not one person seemed to have wanted to miss it. The church was filled with men women and children all smiling as the bride walked down the aisle.

Near the front, Elizabeth could see all her family, they all looked so happy. Alex slipped in the doors behind them and went down the right aisle and slotted silently in next to his wife, who was sat holding little William. Leaning over he took his sleeping daughter from Joyce into his arms. Her family looked happier than they had in a long time, and it made Elizabeth’s heart swell. She knew she had William to thank for their happiness right now.

In the aisle next to the one her family was sat in, were all the house staff the couple worked with. Each person in this room was smiling and happy, like there was nowhere in the world they would rather be right now, and Elizabeth couldn't be happier for her best friend.

Then there at the front of the church, stood a very handsome looking Oz, next to him, acting as witness and no doubt doing the same job as Elizabeth this morning when it came to calming nerves was her man.

Looking very handsome in his new suit was William. Seeing him stood up there gave Elizabeth butterflies in her stomach.

As they got to the front, Willow went and stood next to her husband to be, while Elizabeth went and stood next to William. Reaching out she gave his hand a quick squeeze making them both smile.

The service itself was magical. There wasn't one person who had dry eyes as Willow and Oz professed their love for one another.

After an hour, the two were pronounced man and wife. Kissing like it was their first time, the star crossed loved smiled deeply at each other.

Taking each other’s hand, they led the way up the aisle to the smiles of everyone around them. Opening the heavy church doors they were greeted with the sunshine.

As they walked down the small churchyard path, they were greeted with even more happy people who had been unable to fit into the tiny church.

Greeting the people and thanking them for sharing their happy day with them the couple went and got into their waiting carriage, where Jonathon was sat waiting.

As William and Elizabeth entered the sunlit church gardens they smiled at each other. They knew that they had each found their soul mate.

Together they watched as Willow and Oz drove off and the people started to disperses, heading for the picnic meal that Willow’s family had organized near the town square.

Taking Elizabeth’s hand, William led her round to the secluded side of the church, where the heavy willow trees hung over onto the path and the smell of honeysuckle was overpowering. This had always been Elizabeth’s favorite place to come and William knew it. It was her quiet sanctuary.

Kissing her hand gently, the two lovers didn't have to share word to communicate how much they loved each other. They had got through everything life had thrown at them and they were together at last and nothing could ever spit them apart again.

Kissing her hand one more time, William got down on one knee, making Elizabeth’s heart beat suddenly.

"Miss Elizabeth Ann Summers, will you do the honor of becoming my wife."

Elizabeth couldn’t hold back the tears that flooded to her eyes. The man she loved and would fight tooth and nail for was asking to marry her. Unable to speak she nodded her head. As the tears flowed down her face, she uttered her answer, barely even sure if this moment was real she had dreamed of it so often.

"Yes, yes—my answer is yes."

Standing up, William captured Elizabeth in a tight hug, he felt so happy that he knew he might soon have tears to match Elizabeth’s.

Releasing her from the tight embrace, the future Mrs. William Hartley and her fiancé kissed passionately, everything was perfect at last. They knew that they had finally overcome all their trials and tribulations, and had come out of it all together, and nothing could split them apart ever again. They knew they would spend the rest of their lives together, and safe in the knowledge that they loved the one person that loved them fiercely in return.

Together they would share a wonderful future. A future fueled by their love for one another. They knew then that they would never be apart again.

Kissing passionately they went hand in hand to go and join the rest of the wedding party, and to share their happy news. Everyone was happy at last.

The End.

Well there you go.. hope you all enjoyed!!! Please leave a review!!!
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=10361