the heart will lead by emilyo
Summary: Spike comes back 5 years after chosen. Everyone has moved on with their lives. The first is trying to gain a foothold back into the world and has recuited some old friend for help. Can Spike and Buffy find each other and stop the threat? Especially now when they both have so much to lose? Post chosen, taking a few liberties with people and dates and AU Angel Spoilers though Chosen. and Angel though to hellbound, AU after that. please review
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 44 Completed: Yes Word count: 54109 Read: 42618 Published: 05/10/2005 Updated: 05/10/2005

1. prologue by emilyo

2. life aknew by emilyo

3. return to sender by emilyo

4. let him eat cake by emilyo

5. life as we know it by emilyo

6. news flash by emilyo

7. all tucked away by emilyo

8. what level of hell by emilyo

9. i am ghoest by emilyo

10. simple joys by emilyo

11. nothing simple is woth getting by emilyo

12. out with the old, in with the new by emilyo

13. new year, new hope by emilyo

14. not even a space saver by emilyo

15. price of a game by emilyo

16. paying the price by emilyo

17. old soldiers by emilyo

18. quick recovery by emilyo

19. keeping status quo by emilyo

20. stress relief by emilyo

21. dreams by emilyo

22. dream2 by emilyo

23. the night it began by emilyo

24. jan 26 earlier by emilyo

25. Saved?? by emilyo

26. lost by emilyo

27. 24 by emilyo

28. moving by emilyo

29. sight and sound by emilyo

30. mission by emilyo

31. deepest desires by emilyo

32. gifts gained and lost by emilyo

33. where i belong by emilyo

34. surprise by emilyo

35. reunited by emilyo

36. promises by emilyo

37. allies by emilyo

38. escape by emilyo

39. things we do for love by emilyo

40. doorways by emilyo

41. confrontations by emilyo

42. 1unshine by emilyo

43. something other than dead by emilyo

44. a plan by emilyo

prologue by emilyo
Author's Notes:
new summery
Prologue: 5 years after chosen

Destiny...,Fate,..Champion,...Heroes, and Villains..., Good...and Evil.... Words, what do they mean anyway? Men make words, let actions speak instead. If history is written by the victors,cannot the same be said of the righteous? Who decided between sins and sainthood, or the nature of *right* and *wrong*. Would the taking of an innocent be considered evil, if that innocent was destined to destroy the very nature of existence? Is it evil to try to change the world for the better? And Fate? Are we really doomed to play out some pre-ordained script? Are we marionette?. To be wielded and fondled by some absentee puppeteer?

'No.' thinks the witch, she knew full well the nature of good and evil, and the paths of destiny. Destiny was not guarantied, not by any means. Fate merely a huge maze of doors, each leading down a different path. Sometimes, if you are blessed enough, there may come a time when a glorious path will be presented to you. But to go forth though this door; Ahhh, that is the beauty of free will. Because these doorways always come with a price. As you push forward though the opening, the background dissolves. The old maze giving rise to a new one with no way of going back. The old way closed to you forever. If you choose not to go forth. To even hesitate. The way will be dissolved, gone forever, given up to another or merely lost into the abyss.

The witch knew where she wanted to go, having been given a glimpse to an incredible destiny. Now, she was eager to move toward it. She knew that this was a gift, and if not accepted soon, the powers would find another. Someone would eventually restore the way. The one was too strong, too mighty, to stay buried forever. And if her plan came to fruition, then she would evolve into so much more than she was now. She would be a Queen. a Goddess. Then the world would change forever. Wouldn't then, the victor's, crown her as champion, and her efforts be deemed as good?
The plan was in motion now, Soon, so soon the time would be at hand, and all her dreams would culminate and blossom before her. The world would be stained crimson with the blood of the unworthy, and the righteous will overtake the lands and seas, marking, burning, plunging, everyone and everything into perpetual darkness. It will be glorious.
What was the death of one boy compared to all that?

Prologue Part two:

2.5 months after chosen

The dream came unbidden in the night. Somewhere in her unconscious she recognized it as a dream, even though she knew very well where she was. She had been her before, in this cave, in this desert.

"Death was you gift!" The other women/creature hissed.

The blond women looked on more than slightly annoyed as she spoke "Yeah, that really didn't work out well did it?"

The first one merely nodded.

"Besides lucky for you I was around. Since you needed me to save the world,... again, and kick a little first evil non-corporal ass.." she said.

"If not you, it would have been another." the dark creature announced.

The woman stared, seething, hands twisting tightly around herself in an attempt to remain in some sort of control. She didn't want to be here. Why why was she here again? The other's eyes were upon her as her anger began to seep forth, "Oh great! So were all, just ...switchable now! My actions have no meaning? Is that what your telling me now?"

The creature crept closer, her movements graceful but sinister, like a panther, ready to strike. Her words were harsh, but softly spoken,"The script was laid out eons ago. It was the players, that went uncertain."

The current slayer stood there feeling tears of fury welling up in her eyes. All those months of suffering and loneliness. All the fighting and the pain and the loss. Lives, friends, lovers, home, all gone. She had actually started to believe there was a reason she had been brought back. That her suffering and misery had been necessary to achieve her ultimate victory. Now, he finds out that it really didn't matter that she was ripped from heaven? That she was no more than a removable game piece on the board of life? Don't worry honey, you wipe out, we got a spare? For the last seven years she heard words like duty, destiny, fate, now only to discover that she really didn't matter. It was too much.

Fury continued to ebb up through out her body, and like molting lava it began to erupt. With fists clench, she leapt up, throwing herself onto the first slayer. Fists were connecting wildly in an attempt to cause pain. Momentarily stunned, the first slayer quickly responded. Not intending to hurt her, the first merely tossed the younger women off. As the blond slayer moved to stand, the dark one spun around and whacked her with a sharp blow to the back of her head. The blond slayer flew across the cave and landed in a thud. She regained herself swiftly, and charged again. The first attempted to block her, but the blond slayer caught her, and manage to tackle her to the ground, raining punches at her.

The blond slayer was only mildly aware of her actions. It was as if she was in her body, but also not. Floating somewhere outside herself, she allowed her dark side to reign free. She poured all of her emotions of the last few months, ...hell no... years into each swing. She hurt, and she wanted to cause hurt; A whole world of hurt. This was a perfect place to start.

But suddenly the dark slayer manage to respond to her blows. Grasping her by her furring arms, she launched the blond off to the far side of the cavern where she hit the wall with a harsh smack. As the blond slayer regrouped herself into a new assault, she found herself frozen still. She noticed the dark women muttering as her hand was raised. The blond was held effectively immobilized by the dark creature.

'Great.', she thinks, 'Why didn't I come with the mojo package?'

"Enough!" hissed the creature, "This is not what you are here for. We know your plans. It was whispered to us. It is not your time."

These words would have halted the blond in her tracks. No need for the spell. 'They know' she chuckled in spite of herself. No one else, not any of her *loved ones* had even bothered to take notice. The only one who would have.... 'No don't go there, no good there.'

She had been exposing herself to danger these past few months. Taking on the biggest badest evil she could find. They had been severely disappointing in not bringing forth the end she so desperately desired. But, she was willing to try, again and again, if that's what it took. Somewhere they're must be someone, something strong enough to do the deed. To finally finish this.

The first glared at her, waiting. For what? A response? An excuse? The blond caste her eyes down, broken. 'Why can't they let me go?'

"Purposely exposing yourself, carelessly to harm, will not achieve the end you desire, and you will destroy the gift you were given.", The creature hissed.

'GIFT?,'... 'These people are unreal!!'
"Death was my gift!", She bellowed, "Peace was my gift! To finally be free! Free of this life! That gift was stolen from me! I have nothing now. I belong nowhere". She clutched herself, violently trying to halt the steady flow of tears that streamed from her eyes.
"It's.. all gone" She stated, simply, quietly.

"Death WAS your gift. But you were forced back to life. So..,now..,it is life we give to you. The gift of life for both the champions. That... Is your gift now." the creature stated. Her words dripping slowly from her lips as to allow the meaning to slip through.

The champions,..plural., but one of the champions was gone. And the blond, none so kindly, reminded the *other* of this.

"There are many forms of life, child." the one answered as she moved forward

The blond watch, warily, as the dark creature crept closer. She struggled fruitlessly against the magic keeping her still, as the creature place a hand low on her body, to her womb.
And then she felt it..., Life!... Love! Small and weak, but there, inside her, growing, gaining strength. Her eyes flew wide with the knowledge. Feelings of wonder began to replace the anger and pain she'd carried around for so long. And something else, something she had thought lost, long gone, consumed in the embers of misery. Hope. She felt it rising like a phoenix from the ashes. All she had to do was embrace it.

The other let her hand linger, "This is a gift to you both. But it will also be ours. The dark ones have put their emissary into the fold. So must we. This", She held her hand tighter against her womb, " took great powers to bring forth. A gift that comes with a price. This life will have it's own destiny to full-fill. It's own task to accomplish. It will be capable of great good, or be a tool for great evil. Always....there is a choice. For them both. We are entrusting this life to you."

'Destiny.', The blond grimaced. She was really beginning to hate that word. No more would she play by someone else's rules. She would make her own way, for her, and the child growing inside her. Screw *the way*! She's had her fill. Besides, didn't they just say that if one was unavailable, another would come? Fuck em. Let someone else do it. She was about to tell the other exactly what orifice she could shove her *destiny* speech, when she felt herself being pulled back. The walls soon began to dissipate.

She heard one last whisper before she faded back into reality, "Soon, it will begin."

She awoke in the hospital. Monitors buzzing all around her. She shook her head, trying to clear her mind and sort though the bombardment of images she'd just been plowed with. Slowly, the words she'd just heard began to sink in. She grazed her hand lovingly across her belly. 'Yep'. It was there. She felt it now. Life, growing, changing. There... waiting, waiting to be loved. She couldn't help but smile.

A new presence in the room broke her thoughts. She looked up, and saw his face. He looked tired, frazzled, and a deep concern filled his weary eyes. She felt for him, this man, who had become her father.

They stared at one another, pondering thoughts. She knew what troubled him. She could tell he knew. Oh, but how to reassure him? She knew something that he didn't. A revelation that dawned on her as clear and bright as the rising sun. It was okay. She was okay. They would all be okay. And this life, would be loved, and have purpose, but not the one *powers* were expecting. She was done playing the game, living their rules. Her and *Her* baby, would make their own way, their own rules. If the *powers* didn't like it, Too Tuff shit!!. They could stuff it for all she cared. She had her own plans now.

She didn't look back at her watcher just yet. She closed her eyes, and just felt for her baby, felt it's life, its love. What ever was about to begin, she would face it. She could face it. And *SHE* would beat it. She lied back against the bed, eyes still closed, and felt more peace and purpose than she had had in a long...long time.
life aknew by emilyo
Chapter 1. Life Anew.
Approx. 1 year after chosen.

The cab pulls up to a normal looking house in a quiet, normal looking California suburb. A young man hurriedly gets out, shoving some bills at the driver, and begins to approach his home, a slight spring in his step. 'Home.', he thinks, 'Finally'. The first semester of exams had been rough, but now the holidays were here. Time to blow off steam, party, spend time the folks. He runs a hand absently mindedly though his brownish hair . 'Yeh.'..he thinks, ' Home'. 'May have to get a haircut.' He smiles as he approaches his home. The house seems bleak, quiet, eerily so.

Much too quiet... Where are the lights? His blue eyes search the outside warily, taking note of the holiday bulbs, hung, yet abandoned into darkness. A nervous feeling begins to creep into the pit of his stomach. He had called ahead. They knew he'd be home today. Mom was thrilled that he'd managed to finishes classes and come home early. The old man was gonna break out the chess set for a rematch. He couldn't wait to avenge the beating he'd gotten over summer. Even his older brother and his wife were suppose to drop by. The baby was due any time now.

His apprehension grew as he cautiously approached the house. A light cool wind ripped though his coat, and he unconsciously gripped its collars closer around himself, shivering, but not just from the cold. He stopped momentarily to look into the sky. It was a strange night, cool for their region of the earth, and dark. The darkness of the sky seemed to stretch across the horizon like a deep bottomless pit. The few stars that managed to piece the blackness showed more like tears in the heavens. Cold glistening shimmers rather than bright comforts. The earth itself seemed to weep in the night

Strange evening, that's it. That's all. Making him get the willies, like a kid who'd seen too many horror movies. He was home after all. Home was safe. Home was good. He hurriedly withdrew the keys and rushed into the house.

"Mom? Dad?" he shouted as he ran inside.

The first sense that hit him was the overwhelming odor. One that reeked of blood and death.
His mouth fell open in horror as his eyes fell upon the carnage.

His parents lay sprawled, crumpled to the ground in lifeless heaps, throats ripped out. His little sisters lie near them, each similarly bloodied and mangled. His older brother lay not far away. His head, almost completely ripped off, only 1 thin fiber of skin was keeping it attached to the rest of his broken, bloodied body. But Kate, his brother's wife, her horror was the worst. Her eyes were open and wide with fright. Her throat been torn like the rest, but also her whole abdomen had been ripped apart. The still babe, a sickening shade of blue, was strangle with its own cord. The baby, a girl, lay silently at her mother's breast, arranged and posed like a baby doll.

'Massacre.', was all he could think. Bodies were mutilated. Blood was everywhere, coating everything. Furniture and mirrors were smashed. Everyone he loved. His whole family.. His world..His home..Gone..Destroyed.

Hot tears of grief and rage welled up in his eyes, and he could not stop the sickening feeling coursing through his stomach. He leaned over and vomited. Bile mixed with tears and he could not stop himself from shaking.

What could have caused such devastation? Why hadn't anyone heard and come to help? It looked like some beast from hell had risen up and ravaged his family. What could?....

Just then, a voice, slow and sweet like honey, floated in the air.

"And the little prince returns. Daddy was a very naughty. Daddy tried to hide you from me. From the world. Daddy should have know better. Sweet whispers in the night brought me to you, my dearest boy. Let me find you so that he, Daddy, would suffer. Yes, it is his fault. Took me own mummy from me long ago. Broke up our family with his accursed soul. Then he took my dark knight from me. Gave him a pretty jewel, he did, and whisked him away from the world. Him, and the other; The Slayer. They will pay. Now I will be the one as to do the taking. Take what they love most. What is theirs. I will make a new family and then they will weep and pay and pay and weep. We will see to that together." she sang manically while swaying toward him.

The young man just stared in absolute horror at the creature. A raven headed demon with gleaming yellow eyes. Clearly insane, she seemed to be the embodiment of evil. He had no idea what she was muttering. His mind frantically screamed for him to get out, get away. But he couldn't. He stood there transfixed, unable to move, to scream, as if stuck in a trance or a dream...'A dream!'. 'That it!', he thought. 'A horrible nightmare, and I'll wake up'.. 'Wake up soon. Wake up safe'..Home'.

"Yes.", The demon hissed as she approached. She stood before him and curled her figures into his hair. "It is time to awake, to live your life anew. Your new life, and your new family. Time to come home." she sang.

With that, her teeth sunk into the tender flesh of his neck.

As soon as his blood began to flow forth into the demon, flashes of memory began to permeate his mind. Memories of fear and pain, of anger and hate, of loneliness and despair.

Flashes of his real life. His real name. His real father. His real home.

In that moment, at the time of his death , and the beginning of his undead existence, the spell was broken... Connor remembered everything.

Miles away, in LA., Angel jumped awake. Fear was soon replaced by guilt, and anger. Tears erupted from him as he slowly realized that his nightmare was not just a nightmare. Connor, his Connor, who he had fought so hard for, given up his life, his soul to save, had just been turned.

Subsequently, light bulbs began to click on all around L. A. and then elsewhere in the world, as the spell was lifted. The memory of Connor came flooding back into the minds of those who knew him so well, and to some who had heard of him only in passing.

Hundred of miles away from L. A., in another land, in another quiet home; a young babe woke up with a start, and cried and cried, all the while his mother dreamed. Waking up the whole household, his mother ran frantically in, and grabbed her son. As she rocked him in her arms, the images from her sleep came back . She kissed her son and reassured him quietly. Her hazel eyes never leaving him as she stared worriedly down. He was crying so hard, his breaths were coming in ragged gasps. She took a quick glance up, to the two women and elder gentleman staring sleepily, but worriedly at her.

Her sister, her dearest friend and the man she'd come to love as a father, and grandfather to her beloved child, stood silently in the doorway. Looking...Waiting...Waiting for conformation that the littlest member of their family, was okay. She took her eyes off them and returned her attention to her son. He had calmed a little, his steel blue eyes looking up at her; red and swollen and expectant. Looking to her to make all his fears go away. She always melted at the site of him. Feelings of unbelievable unconditional love spread through her as she gazed at her beloved child, at his eyes, so like his father's.

"It's okay William", she whispered, "It's gonna be okay."
return to sender by emilyo
Chapter 2: Return to Sender.
About 3 years later, L. A.

Angel absentmindedly fiddled with a packet on his desk from and unnamed source. The whole group had wandered into his office, bickering about some such nonsense as usual. Angel was not paying them too much mind. His thought were focused on Connor. Always on Connor.
Whatever this new *dilemma* was about, it was apparent that Gunn and Wesley were clearly taking different sides on the issue. Well, nothing new there.

Fred, the ever loving peace keeper, was trying to calm them, and everyone else, down. Eve was simply just looking on with a smirk on her face. God, how Angel hated her. Lorne and Harmony were standing around looking a bit uncomfortable, and as usual were not doing anything remotely useful.

All the while, Angel only half-listened to them as he continued to shuffle the envelope though his hands. It might be important. Maybe information about Connor. He decided it was as good a time as any and opened it. An amulet slide out and landed onto the floor.

Everyone immediately stopped arguing and stared.

No one was prepared for what came next.

Particles of light and energy swirled around the amulet.

Before they could react, the energy mist began to take form.

Angel's eyes went wide with surprise, then narrowed into scorn at the black clad being materializing in his office. He was shocked and dismayed, to see what had just been sent home to them.
"Spike!"
let him eat cake by emilyo
Chapter 3: Let him eat cake.
A few months later, miles away from L. A.

A small boy's blue eyes grew wide with awe as the cake appeared before him. Candles lighting 5 small candles glowed brightly on his birthday cake. 4 four his age, one for good luck. He looked down greedily at the cake. He'd been waiting all day and he was not good at waiting. Trying to do the best he could, he shifted nervously in his seat, bouncing up and down with raging energy; waiting for the signing to stop so he could blow out his candles. Knowing that the sooner he blew out the candles, the sooner he got to devour the sweet delicious cake, and then the sooner he could open the ever growing mound of presents that were stacked in the corner . He glanced excitedly at his gifts, then back at his candles and tried harder to be patient. He had been impatient already today and made his mommy angry with him. He hates to make mommy angry with him, but sometimes he just could not help himself.

He had snuck into the kitchen while all the adults were busy, and had peered at his cake. The creamy frosting and the sugary blue roses called to him. Plus little plastic knights on little horses adorned the cake. It looked like a scene out of the story books that he and his uncle read together. He loved those books, and could even read some of it himself now. He often had wild dreams of fighting monsters and villain, of heroes and glory, like in the movies he and his other uncle often watch together.

Temptation got the better of him. He just had to have some, and have some now. So he reached out with his left fist and grabbed a figure off the cake with a handful of frosting. He has just stuffed the whole handful into his mouth when he heard her yelling.
"William Giles Xander Summers. What did I tell you about that cake!"

Oh ooh, Caught. His mommy was there, glaring down at him with her most maddest mad face on. He didn't know why she was so upset. Wasn't it his cake anyway? But with arm folded behind him, William gave his best, most sweet innocent smile to his mommy. "Oops, I forget?"

"Forget, I mean.. forgot? I'll give you forgot!" she cried, as stared down at him. She grabbed the nearest towel, and scrubbed the remnants of cake and frosting off his small hands and face, trying to keep her look stern. Almost instantly, she began to soften at the sight of her small son. He was looking up at her, flashing his best *mommy don't be made at me ..please* smile, with just a small touch of guilt and fear mixed in. She continued to try and glare, but found that she couldn't stop a slow smile from creeping onto her face. He immediately returned her smile with his trade marked crooked grin, the one he flashed when he knew he was going to get away with something. He knew, as well as she, that she just could not stay made at him.

She continued to glare while finishing up her cleaning. Then she held her face firm as she stared at him. Folding her arms, and putting on her best *mommy's is NOT pleased mask*, she spoke "Outside, now, or I'll... I'll.. I'll give all those presents to some poor demon child somewhere."

That was enough. His eyes grew wide with horror, and he raced out of the kitchen to protect his gifts.

His mom could only smile, and shake her head.

But now, now, the moment was here. The singing finally subsided. He looked at his candles and gave them a blow. All 5 went out immediately. Cries of congratulation filled the crowd. He looked at the faces of his family, his mother, his aunts and uncles, and friends all cheering for him. He was almost ready to pounce on his gifts when he was interrupted by a voice.

"Hold on Will, let me take a picture." his aunt Dawn called.

He scooted closer to the girl next to him, his best friend in the whole world, Mithril. He grabbed her around the shoulder and smiled though a round of pictures. That wicked crooked grin darted again across his face as he grasped the hand of the 5 year old girl . As soon as their hands were joined, he felt energy pass between them, and magic's that he was just too young to understand. He passed his hand over the top of the cake. With a little effort, he let the magic flow though Mithril and himself, and then William Summers, relight his birthday candles.

Buffy stared in a mixture of awe and horror as she saw the candles being relit. Of course, he didn't just relight them. 'No.', she thought. 'That wasn't her son's style.' He managed to produced a flame that shot a half foot into the air. "William!", she shouted as she ran to her son. Dawn stood there with a similar mixture of surprise and fear mirrored on her face. Willow came running out of the kitchen upon hearing the commotion. Giles and Xander were already on the him, breaking his contact with Mithril. They search William frantically until they found the item on his person that they all now knew he had. It took them little time to find that he had, once again, found where his mother had hidden his focusing crystals.

She reached her son just as the flames subsided. "William." she said exasperated.

William and Mithril just looked up at her, 4 blue eyes wide and grinning .
"Oops.".. was all her son had to say.
life as we know it by emilyo
It was late afternoon. A birthday cake had been all eaten. A mound of gifts had been opened and spread far and wide, and Buffy Summers finally had the chance to just sit. She sat and watched her son. Her precious boy. Her precious gift , playing noisily with all his new possessions.
The day turned out well she thought. No major problems. Well, except for the thing with the candles. But even the cake fiasco had been quickly remedied. Just another minor.. incident in her son's already growing list of magical, practical jokes, if you will..

She couldn't believe he had gotten into those crystals, again. He knew he wasn't suppose to use those unless in school, or practicing with one of his aunts. But then again, this was her son she was talking about. Or more correctly, HIS son, and for his son, rules were just...like a hurtle on the obstacle course of life. Oh and how he loved taking those leaps!!

He was a good boy though, Buffy knew. He had a good heart, and the sweetest spirit. And she's not saying this just cause she was his mommy, thank you very much. Everyone remarked how sweet he was, and he could be very. Charm just dripped off him, and he could worm his way into the heart of just about anyone he wanted to, when he wanted to. He was a beautiful boy with a beautiful soul. And she should know. She had taken him to a couple of psychics and empaths for some *soul searching*. She would have loved him regardless, but she just had to know. They all had reassured her that her son's soul shined brightly out into the into the world, and could flow light even into the darkest of places. They all predicted great good for him. Which, yeah, hello, was a comfort.

Because she feared for him, so much power, so little a body. Didn't someone once say, absolute power corrupts.. um everyone? Something like that. And the dreams of the first slayer's words haunted her in the night. She desperately wanted to keep her son safe. Safe and pure and innocent forever. To give him as normal life as possible, no matter what some pushy bitch from some vision had said. William would be no pawn on someone else's chess board. She wanted a life for him. One full of family and friends, and parties and celebrations, of love and home.

It had been a hard decision, leaving Giles, coming back to the states, before William was 2. Giles had been....disappointed. He had been enjoying his role as father figure and part-time guardian for William. He was worried and upset when she made the decision to move so far away, especially after the news about Connor...

'Connor,' Buffy shivered.

But the decision was made. Her, Dawn and Willow missed the states. Dawn had wanted to go to USC, and try the watcher program they'd set up in the new California branch of the watcher's headquarters. With so many Slayers, more watchers, and resource had become necessary. So with a little help from Giles and a little blackmail money, (gained from threatening the government to expose Andrew's apocalypse video on the six o'clock news.), she was able to pull together enough capital, and return her little family home.


Now as she watched her son playing with Xander and Mithril, he knew she'd made the right call. Xander had been so happy when they all came back. And over the years, he had embraced the whole *male role model* act for both William and Mithril. Two children who had never laid eyes on their actual fathers, and who would never again have real fathers of their own. Xander represented the only constant male figure in their daily lives.


Buffy now watch and laughed as Xander frantically tried work a remote control plane that he'd bought for William and not having too much success.

"Need help Xan?"" Dawn teased.

"Maybe I could.. ehh do something." Clem offered shyly.

"No, No, ex military guy, this plane will yield to my over-whelming mind power and intellect yet.", Xander said.

"Is that what I smell burning." Dawn joked.

When his back was turned William and Mithril, deciding that they'd been patient long enough, locked hands, and the plane sputter off the ground on its own. Not too high, nor for too long, because even together, (especially sans crystals), their ages made too strong magic for too long impossible. 'Thank God. ' Buffy thought.

"What the heck?" Xander cried and actually started chasing the plane, which made William and Mithril giggle, breaking their concentration, and the plane sputtered and stopped.

"You!" Xander stammered turning around to notice the children's mirth. "You two!", and took off in a run after the children. Dawn and Clem looked on with amusement.

The children cried with glee they ran from him. They were still connected, but their thoughts turned away from magic as they happily eluded their beloved uncle.

"Oh you can run, but you can't hide. I know where you two live!"

Buffy smiled, feeling content mixed with a little unease. All of the resident magical expects in the house were preoccupied. If the children got out of hand, she wasn't sure what she would do.

'Oh well.', she thought. she'd get by. she had so far, hadn't she? She was a slayer mom who had a what? Warlock? Wizard? What did a label mean anyway. Her son could do magic.
Magic!!

It was still surreal to her sometimes, even after all she had seen and done in her life.
But it was Very real. Within months of his birth, the coven had felt *ripples* of magic radiating off of her son. Remembering the words in the dream, she begrudgingly allowed Giles to deliver him to the council and their coven operatives for *tests*. All of them came back with affirmations that filled her heart with dread. His blood contained the elements of pure magic. One of may mysteries surrounding her son, because Buffy and Dawn both came up with nil. Even being a slayer, and Dawn a former *key*, they both had about just enough magical wielding abilities to fill up a thimble.

But not her son.

They predicted that her son was to be powerful, and he had began to display his magical *talents* early on. By two he was already starting to try and float stuff around the room. Buffy remembered many a time when she had to chase rolling toys all over the house.
By three, his empathic abilities began to assert themselves. He all of the sudden began to home in on the emotions and thoughts of other people; if he was in contact with them long enough and probed hard enough. They all had learned quickly to bury their feelings, keeping them just out of his reach. For no child should have to thrust into an adult world too soon. This was something Buffy had personal experience with.

Then the dreams had started. Strange dreams. He knew things. Saw things in his dreams. Saw people, he could not know. People long gone and buried. How many visions and nightmares had he had over the short span of his life? Dreams coming to him unbidden in the night that caused him to shake and cry out for his mommy.
But the dreams weren't always terrible. Some were wondrous and fascinating. Like just recently, when he dreamed of her mother, his grandmother. He said that she came to him in the night, and told him to tell his mommy how proud she was of her. Then, he had handed her a picture. A surprisingly detailed and accurate drawing of her beloved mother. Buffy had cried for hours afterward. Leaving her son with Dawn, she just had to get away. Giles had dismissed the incident, chalking it up to her son's empathic abilities. Saying that William was dreaming and reacting to a need he perceive in her. She had the coven look into it and no evidence was found that William was some kind of *six sense* case. Still she was not convinced. There had been other dreams, other drawings.. Tara, Anya, even Jenny. But always the dreams coincided with a need of the person involved, like with Wilow, right before she decided to date Lillia.

Since everyone believed he was tapping into the needs of *others* at the time; who was she to argue? Well yeah, his mommy, but she was out of her expertise here. If her son needed a lesson in demon fighting great, but magic.. Buffy just couldn't help him there.

So she relied on her family and friends, and of course the school. The one that Giles had talked her into enrolling him just before his 2nd birthday, when it became all too apparent that she would need help with her son's *magical* education. The school was geared toward children who had been *gifted* in one way or another, (human and part demon alike).

The school really had been a blessing for many families. After the last *great battle* many such schools had sprung up all over the world. Most of the *magical* community had sense the threat of the First, but the battle had progressed too far to fast. Many realized just how close to annihilation their existence had come. Networks and alliance were set up, and the schools created in hopes that neither they, nor future generations would ever be caught unawares again.

The school had been good for her William. It taught him and children like him the responsibility of magic, and how to coexists in harmony with other beings and forces of their world, (Non evil ones of course). Specifically, it was teaching her son how to block the thoughts and nightmares, and how to control his gifts. It taught him how to cope with what he was, and what he could be. Cope in ways Buffy couldn't help him herself, except with understanding, and unconditional love.

And William was thriving in school. Smatter than Buffy ever was, (probably even now she mused) . He seemed to have knowledge and clarity of mind that at times would frighten her. Sometimes, he would just sit and think or draw pictures. Lost in visions or thoughts. Sometimes she remember him, talking about..her. How she would become lost in visions, and when she saw that calm glazed look come over her son's eyes. God, she just wanted to just shake him until he came to. Of course, she never did.

But that was only one side of him. Her son was a contradiction in terms (much like his father). Their were times he was quiet, preferring to read, or draw. Then other times, were like this. Laughing, running , playing with Mithril, (who he'd been inseparable from since his first week of school), where he was a just a ball of uncontrolled energy. He liked things fast and dangerous. And he was always looking for..trouble, for lack of a better word. She always had to keep a close eye on him. He was always trying some stunt or another. Always trying to get his grubby little hand those damn crystals. She had to hide them all over the house. But with or without them, he'd manage to find his way into trouble. One time, she actually caught him trying to see if he could fly off the roof, (a little suggestion from one of the older kids at school), which left Buffy with round of phone calls to the other boys parent, and locks on all the upstairs windows.

But seeing him like this now, playing in the yard, with his family and friends. These were the times Buffy cherished most. These were the times he seemed the most normal, normal like any other 4 year old boy. Almost..

Normal had taken on a whole new universe in the past five years.

"Hey lost in thought lady.", Buffy jumped, startled at the voice. She looked up to see Willow smilingly happily at her.

"Hey Wil. Did you guys need help in the kitchen?"


"Nope, Lill and I are all done. So much with the doneage, now's time to relax". Willow gave a wide happy smile.

Buffy was grateful at the sight of her friend bliss. Willow and Lillia, Mithril's mom, had been married for nearly 2 years.


From the moment that Williams school had brought them into meeting, Lillia had been a God sent to her and her extended family. She had been a witch all her life, from a long line of magical ancestors. She opened up a whole new world to them. When Buffy came back to the states with her few resources, it was Lillia who helped put her on a sound path. She had immediately put her in touch with a man, who dealt in real estate, and who was sympathetic to people who moved in *their circles*.

Within months, Lillia had manage to help find her a home, (right next door to her own), and helped her and Willow get financial backing to open a new magic shop. She even had connected Xander to a friend who was looking for a partner in the construction business, (one who wouldn't ask to many questions about some of the more... interesting looking employees.

Buffy now had ties to people who had *their way of life* People who could understand *their* need, and their past, with all it's heartbreak and struggles. People who could provided help and support. A factor that her previous life had seriously been lacking.
It was funny sometimes when she thought about it. Angel had left her all those years ago so she could have a *regular life*. Now they all lived so far away from the *regular* world, it almost seemed like another planet. Oh, their reality shared some space with the *normal world*, but they really didn't associate anymore ever with what the kids at William's school called,.. What was it again? Moogles? Meegles? Oh, they paid taxed, obeyed laws, (for the most part) , watch elections. But besides that, the children worked their spells and learned their magic, were taught their history of the world inside and outside of their realm. Learned to coexist with the *regular* world, but never to truly step outside theirs, and all the while the adults looked on proudly.


The funny things is that the kids seemed to revel in it. Buffy spent many years hating being the slayer, resenting her calling. But these kids, they resent nothing.

She had almost forgotten Willow was still there, but the red head's attention was focused back toward the kitchen, back toward her love.

Buffy was a little surprised that Willow had fallen so hard so fast for Lillia. Especially after the disaster that was Kennedy, and the heartbreak that was Tara. It was, in fact, Lillia's resemblance to Tara that had first draw Willow in.


It was fascinating and disturbing at the same time, Same blondish hair, bluish eyes, same sweet quiet demeanor and smile. They could have been sisters, no twins. Lillia sometime wondered if they were, cosmically anyway, being that her own older sister had no magical powers. A very rare occurrence in a family that consisted almost entirely of witches and wizards.

Willow and Lillia had to overcome a great many fears to find love. They were married only 6 months after they met. When Willow had adopted Mithril, they all decided to take Lillia's maternal family name, Saverhagen. Now they were living happily ever after in a home right next door. Some people do get a happy ending.


"So again with the deep thoughts and not so much with the saying?" she heard Willow ask.

Buffy looked up from her thoughts and smiled, "Sorry Wil. I'm just basking in post party productions"

Willow smiled in return, "It went great didn't it. Well 'cept for the cake part, bu..but it wasn't as bad as when William and Mithril and their little friend tried to put a protection spell on the fireplace last Christmas."

"Yeah, cause John Russel convinced them all that Santa Clause was really a Shrandras Demon coming to suck their brains out through their ears in the middle of the night." Buffy sputtered out in laughter at the memory, but it hadn't been too funny at the time.


"Remember they shot a flame up the chute 3 feet into the air!" Willow reminisced now near hysterics, "and Mrs Rodriques came running out of her house screaming 'Mucho Ogawa, Mucho Ogawa, Need mucho Ogawa.'"


Buffy began to recover, eyes tearing from laughter. What she heard next had her doubled over again as Willow added "We should start publishing a book. The crazy adventures of the magical *Wonder Twins*."


*Wonder Twins*. Xander's nickname for the kids. Something from his geeky comic phase about twins who could generate power when they touched hands. Not altogether unfitting.

Buffy looked up from laughing and saw that Xander had finally caught hold of one *Wonder Twin*, with Mithril clinging to Xander's arm trying to get him free. Dawn was alternating between pictures and filming with the video camera. Both the children's laughter could be heard echoing the yard. It warmed Buffy's heart even more. She sighed, smiling, relaxing with her blissful contentment.

Until Willow interrupted with. "S..So, Didn't want to invite Ryan to the party?"

"Ryan' Damn Willow and her need to match make. "Um No, This is a family party only remember?" Buffy said frowning.

"No I know,..I..It's just that. He likes you...An..And he likes Wills. And Wills likes him right?" Willow babbled.

Buffy sighed. Willow had been trying to find someone for her for years. She and Lillia believed in true love, and felt that everyone should be pared up. Of course if true love wasn't available, neither saw any reason not to find some true....Like.
Buffy had tried at first. Going out on causal dates, even got closed to someone..Once.
But William hadn't like the idea.

"Yes Wil. William likes him well enough. As a friend who he visits when mommy takes him to the council building. But as anything more.. Besides remember what happened over summer with Kevin?"

"W..Well," Willow signed nervously, "William never liked Kevin. And he was younger then. Only 3. He's 4 now."

Buffy smirked "He's been 4 for 13 hours Wil." she reminded.

"So you see!! Older." Willow chuckled., "And even, ii.if he did... Um.. Mind it. There's a good chance he won't try to set the curtains on fire again..? Right? Not that the whole curtain thing was his fault either."


Buffy laughed softly. But, it hadn't been funny. William was furious when she began to get close to someone else. He was so jealous. One night while she was out, he grabbed one of those damn crystals and tried to *wish her home*, as he put it in his little 3 year old speak. . Of course something went wrong and it resulted in the whole damn house nearly going up in ablaze. That incident had cost her little boy. He was sick in bed for a week. It was always like that, if he tried to do to strong a magic for too long . His little body just couldn't take it.

After the *Summer's Inferno* incident, Buffy stopped going out all together. Her son needed her. He was most important. Always. Besides, how do you move on? When you come home everyday and see a shadow of your former lover looking back at you?


"It's just not the right time now Wil.." Buffy patiently explained. She hoped that..that would end this discussion.

"I know..Its just..We all want you to be happy."

"I'm happy Wil.." Buffy said, getting more than a little frustrated at her friend, "I have a roof over my head. A job I like. Money in the bank. Good friends who are tolerable when they're not nagging me," She pointedly looked at Willow, "And I have William. He's all I really need. He's everything."

"Besides," She added, "Figuring me, Ryan will just end up being a moth monster, or gakok demon..or a...robot."

"Think we..we would have sensed it if he was one of those things by now. And I..I know you have a lot with the happiness." Willow stuttered, "It's..s just.. Don't you miss...ya know?" she asked hesitantly.

"Well. .Sure I miss ya know. I mean ya know was great. Specially that one year..," Buffy blushed, "But..But I've been.. ya knowing..by myself for a while now. And it's not as good as ya knowing with someone else.. But you know what they say.. Even bad ya know is still good ya know and I'm babbling now and could we please.."

"Ch..Change the subject?" Willow offered.

"Yes please." Buffy begged.

"Okay."....."So, any idea what Giles wanted to talk to you bout?" Willow asked.

Buffy signed. Uh, from bad discussions to worse. Giles had been trying to corner her alone all day. Probably with some apocalyptic news or something, and she'd put him off. It was her son's birthday and the weight of the world would have to wait. It had been over 4 years since she gave up slaying, giving up the reigns to Kennedy who eagerly accepted, and Faith who did it with some trepidation. Then Faith took off right after she and Robin had Nicholas. She just couldn't deal,(or didn't want to) . The Council survived. There were so many slayers to take up the slack, Robin on the other hand.

Buffy whisked away the thought. "I'll talk to him soon. Right now, it's Nov 3, and Nov 3 is birthday day. No serious talk of end of the world blah on birthday day."

Buffy took few deep breaths to clear her thoughts. Almost immediately her eyes grew wide and happy again as she glanced at her laughing son, remembering again how lucky she was to begin with that he was even here. (Not withstanding the whole mystical circumstances with his conception, which was... hello, staggering). His birth in general had been a difficult one.

She'd carried him for barely 6 month, before she collapsed one day and awoke to find that they had taken him from her. The council Dr. tried to explain everything. Something about him having a rare blood type and it not mixing well with hers. Plus it was compounded by the fact that apparently slayers come with some kind of anti baby thing that makes conception and birth almost impossible.

Buffy hadn't been listening too well at the time. She just stood there and stared at her son. He was so small, barely 3 pounds. Everyone thought he would die. It had taken days before she could bring herself to see him again. When she did, she had broken down, and wept uncontrollably at the site of the tube machine thing helping him breathe. She had reached in and put a hand though the crib warmer, almost ready to say goodbye to her son. When in an instant, his tiny fist came up and knock at her hand. Then his hand open and grasped her finger and squeezed.

"That's quiet a fighter you got on your hands." the incoming nurse called out to her. "Stubborn too, I'll wager. He'll be okay. Lit' tike, simply refusing to take this lying down."

At that moment, Buffy knew her son would live, at that moment she knew he was William.
And he had lived, and thrived, and her and Faith beat the odds, both delivering healthy sons into this world. One with magic. One without. It gave hope to some of the others that the calling did not necessarily mean being barren and childless. The rest of the slayer's had some hope, but for her, Buffy knew it was over. The Dr.s had told her that having another would be almost impossible.

But that was okay, she had her precious boy, her sweet baby, and he was enough.
"Mommy? Mommy you okay?" Buffy once again was jolted out of her past, but this time by her favorite source. She looked down at her beautiful handsome son. Blue eyes, hair so blond. How can he be so blond? (Could an over abundance of peroxide bleach straight though to your genes or something?) Right now he had a slight worried look on his face, and his head tilted to one side. A gesture, so like his father's. But then again, from day one, he had always been his father's son.

"Of course my precious, my beautiful little birthday boy." She grabbed him and held onto him tightly and planted kisses all over his little face, while she tickled his belly. Mithril watched them, laughing with glee as she sat one of her two mommy's lap, and snuggled in close.

"Teehee hee. Mommy, mommy quit it" her son fussed, but their was a gleam in his eye, and mirth in his voice.
He was happy... Safe and happy, and home.

"Buffy," it was Giles,..again, "Perhaps we should talk a bit. Now that the festivities have,.. emm.. somewhat subsided."

Buffy looked from her son, her joy... her treasure and then back to Giles. "Okay," she sighed, finally giving in "Sweetie, mommy's gotta go talk to uncle Giles for a minute. Can you stay here with aunt Willow and stay out of trouble?"

"Maybe." her son said with a smirk.

"Maybe? Maybe! What do you mean maybe. Maybe. I'll give ya maybe." She tickled him harder and they both were soon laughing together. She continued to cuddle and tickle him, enjoying the feelings of just..being with him. He laughed joyfully until the tickling subsided and then he just sat on her lap, head against her chest as he gasped for breath. As his breathing returned to normal, he snuggled up to her as she held him. She took a moment to look him over, smiling that he wasn't too much of a mess..yet. She frowned a little when her eyes glanced at his sneakers,..untied,..again.

He can float planes and toys, start fires with a thought, but simply refused to learn to tie his shoes.

"Oh William." she sighed, "How long have you been running around like this? Your going to break your neck one day!" She warned as she reached down to tie his shoes.

"Uh, ugh.." He said, "Besides if I breaked it. It will fix. I fix real quick. You know that mommy." He informed her.

Buffy sighed again. Another thing she could not quite seem to teach her son is that his rapid healing abilities DID NOT mean he was invincible.

"This thing is defective." Xander interrupted as he shouted in disgust. He has at some point tried to resume his work on the plane. "It's broken, why do they sell broken toys to children." He looked exasperated.

Lillia, who was now back at the party, just smiled and held Willow's hand. Mithril let out a small laugh, and Willow pressed a kiss to her child's head and smoothed down her long dark hair.

"Let me see it Xander." it was Mila, Lillia's sister, who spoke, (short for Chamomile, a name which she would fly into a rage if anyone dared call her that). She was so unlike her sister. Where Lillia was blond and light eyed. Mila was dark in both. Where Lillia was shy and introspective. Mila was strong and outspoken, but in a good way. She and Xander had recently gotten engaged and were envisioning a family if their own.

Lillia and Wilow had worked hard to get them set up. At first Xander and Mila both resisted. But eventually love won out. It was comforting for Xander, and Willow, to be with people who could truly understand their pasts, and all that they'd been through.

And it was Lillia, Buffy remembered, that had helped with a lot of magic, and a little spell that required her small son's blood and the immense healing powers contained within it, that had allowed Xander to reform and regenerate his ruined eye.

Now those 2 good eyes stared at everyone as he bickered with Mila. "Come on! I said it's broken! I'm the guy! The man! The ex Military guy! I know from broken!"

"Stop with the army bull. You spent like 2 seconds trapped in a pair G.I Joe underoos. You wouldn't know a fox hole if it opened up an swallowed you. And wasn't it just last week when that car backfired that you yelped like a little girl? No offense to Mithril," She said jestering toward her niece, "Who would have been tougher than you were. So just give it to me and let me look...," and they walked off bickering, but the kinda friendly, loving banter that only comes with love and compatibility.

Ahh the more things change, the more they stayed the same.

It was some time before Buffy could tear herself away from the joyful family and let herself be lead into the house. She took one last look at the yard, and saw the plane sputtering high in the air. A surprised look on Xander's face, a triumphant one on Mila's and a lot of giggles from the children.

"Ha ha uncle Xander." William emphasized with glee, "HA H ..A...

He could be a little bit of a brat sometimes, but what four year old boy wasn't? And Buffy's son was certainly not above laughing at his uncle's distress, which began another chasing match. She turned around just as Xander began hopelessly trying to coax William out from under the table where he had hidden himself, still chanting, "Ha Ha."
news flash by emilyo
Chapter 5: News Flashes.

Buffy walked into her house with Giles close behind. Livia, Mila and Lillia aunt, a powerful witch in her own right, was still clearing away the last of the party messes. Buffy was always a little disconcerted when she saw paper and such flying about on their own.

"Livia, you don't have to,. I'll.. I'll finish it up."

"No no. Happy to help." the kind blond women said with a smile of happiness coming to her blue eyes.

"Rupert! You didn't drag her away from the party did you? The poor children. Can't our grandniece and nephew have some peace on your poor grandnephew birthday?"

"Sorry darling. Can't be helped." said Giles as he came over and planted a chaste kiss on his wife's lips. They'd been married only a few months, (another Willow and Lillia production.), and Buffy couldn't help but to notice look in Gile's eyes when he looked at his wife. Truth be told, it made her unbelievably happy, (not the Giles kissage, because that's just ewww). But being witness to the display, Buffy couldn't help but feel a little sad as well. It was a reminder that he, and the others, had moved on. But that she still could not.

Also, it was a little wiggy. Her little family and the Saverhaven's were a little...intermingled. Is Giles like her son's step-grandfather, great uncle in law?? Any more of this and they might as well move to Kentucky.

"Livia really," Buffy said, "Go and play with the kids. They're asking for you, and they miss you so much. With you guys in England... You don't get to visit enough"

"Alright then dear." she smiled and kissed Buffy cheek. Livia had become a surrogate mother to all of them and a grandmother to both children. Buffy had almost forgotten how good it was to have a mom type around.

Livia for her part loved Buffy like a daughter,and loved her son, and the rest of her adopted family as if they were her own flesh and blood. She'd lay down her life for any of them..Her family.

Livia had raised Mila and Lillia after their mom, her older sister, died and their father fell deeper into dark magic. She had been so young herself, but she had been good to them, her nieces, and had tried to treat them equally. Tried to undo some of the damage their father had done. It was hard, with a magical child and one non magical one, and she had done the best she could. At times she felt like she had failed them.

Mila's had descended into drinking. Never quite being able to live with the shame her parents had felt because of her non magical abilities.

And Lillia, she had followed her father path, getting addicted to dark magic.

But Livia had stuck by them. Helped them. Helped Lillia after she had become pregnant. That was when the family came together again. Both Livia and Mila helping Lillia give birth and raise her beautiful sweet girl. Helping her cover up the true parentage of Mithril.

Mithril's father! Livia shuddered.

How one of the most evil, sadistic warlocks of the age managed to produce one of the most beautiful sweetest child alive, well, Livia had no answers for that, except that Mithril was all Saverhagen. It wasn't as if Lore Barrister was an anomaly. He was from a long line of cruel sadistic witches and wizards who abused and corrupted the forces of magic and constantly created imbalances in the energies of the world. These were the type of people from whom the negative connotation of witchcraft were derived from. The Barristers were akin to royalty of the black arts world, and Lore was the favored prince. The powerful family had used their powers to cause misery and despair to others, while they themselves profited and prospered for centuries, up until the last decade or two. Recent times showed the family slowly dying out , succumbing themselves to the wretchedness that they so often created. Lore himself had been horribly murdered not long after Lillia escaped from his influence. If the family found that there was a surviving child, they'd try take her, to clam her as their own. Manipulate and twist her until she was as cruel and as cold as they were.

It had taken numerous spells and fake documents to keep the identity of Mithril's father a safely guarded secret. But they had succeeded it. Lillia had made mistakes, but there was no way that would Mithril would pay for them.

At first she was horrified when Lillia had taken these people; people she barely knew, into her confidence. But Buffy and Lillia shared a common fear. That someday, someone, somewhere, would come for their children. That their children could not escape the evil that their father's had done. That the sins of the father's, would haunt their children, till the end of time.

But they were wrong. The children were fine, happy. sweet children. Good nature kind and loving. Perhaps they were a bit mischievous at times, but they were good children all the same, and Livia would protect them with all that she was.

"Don't keep her away too long, and don't upset her." Livia whispered to her husband. She than kissed his check and walked off to visit her beloved family.

"Okay." Buffy geared herself, "We're alone, all alone, and ..umm.. alone. So..What's the big?"

"Well. There is some news." Giles said, trying to ready her.

"News. Ohh I have news." Buffy interrupted still not ready to hear any world crushing news.
"Your godson has officially been slated to move up a level next year, even though he is little younger than the usual age. Mithril and him will move up together. It will be the equivalent of like first grade instead of a preschool kindergarten deal. So more homework, more responsibility.. I believe Principle Mcglocnile's exact words were that she believe he's up to the intellectual challenge but hopes the emotional challenge won't be too much for him." Buffy rolled her eyes.

"That's... ehh wonderful. But, however.." Giles began.

"Sun..." Buffy cut in again, "William made it up to 3 hrs today, full sunlight, before we had to smear his medicine on him"

Giles was momentarily lead away from his thought," 3 hrs, that is good news. The treatments are beginning to work then."

"Yeah," Buffy smiled," That Dr. Candrol, she really knows her stuff. She thinks maybe,... someday, he won't need the medicine at all. But still, it's good Willow can brew it up now as good as any coven member"

"Yes, well, having someone, who can make his creams is.. eh.. advantageous." Giles agreed.

'His medicine.' Buffy thought. One of the few things about his life that her son fusses over. It wasn't the medicine itself, but the time it took to keep him still while she covers every inch of his skin. Her son DID NOT like to be kept still for too long.

Slight sun allergy diagnosed a little after he was a year old. But the treatments and the medicine, a kinda enhanced sunscreen, helped keep the blisters and the redness from his skin.

How fitting, He was, after all, his father's son.

"Buffy.", Giles continued again while beginning to clean his glasses . Ohh no, not glasses cleaning, anything but glasses cleaning..

"Dream."Buffy again interrupted, "The dreams.., have stopped.., for now. Hasn't had one in months. So no bad dreammage for Wills. That's good! Good news right?" She asked.

"Really," Giles challenged, "No dreams lately. Not even of her?"

Buffy froze, several months ago her son, her sweet boy, had woken up in a state of fright that terrified Buffy. His sheets were soaked with sweat, and he trembled and cried uncontrollably for hours. All the time he ambled, "Don't let her get me mommy. She's coming. She's coming to get me."
It wasn't until morning that Buffy, saw who the *she* in her son's dream was.
It wasn't till morning that her son handed her a picture of a certain dark-hared vampire, that haunted both their nightmares.
"No! No pictures, no drawings, no nightmares, NO dreams. So everything is okay. Right?" She was reaching now. She wanted him to say Yes,. 'Please, please say yes'.

Giles continued to clean off his glass while regarding Buffy. There was no easy way to break this, so he came right out and said it. "It's Connor and Drusilla. They've been spotted in California, near L. A."

Terror filled Buffy and gripped at her heart. Ever since the news of Connor, Angle's son, and the mere fact that Angel had a son., (what was it with vampires having children anyway?). She had felt pity for Connor, been mortified for Angel, and terrified for William. She harbored a fear that Drusilla would come for William, as she came for Connor.

She knew Drusilla blamed her for Spike. Not long ago, council operatives had manage to corner the pair, but the humans were slaughtered. They'd let one live though with a message. "Tell the slayer I will exact my revenge. She took my precious, my love, my beautiful creation, and someday, I will take hers."

Her life since was clocked in shadow and fear, but she had tried to get past it, and not to dwell. She wanted to raise William in as normal a life as possible, (normal for them, that is). One with school, and games and friends, and a home. But now..

Just now she felt violently ill.
"What .. Where ... When..."

"Just a few weeks ago. " He said, "We believe that have been to Wolfram and Hart. Or , at least they have been to Angel."

Wolfram and Hart, and Angel. She still couldn't believe he was there, soul and all. Still, after everything, he had stayed. She suspected, after.., why he had gone to such an evil place. He made a deal with devils, for Connor. They were one of the few people who could conjure a spell of that...magnitude. But she never understood why he stayed. Why, after Connor was turned, didn't he touched the place, scorch it to the ground, grind it under his heels. That what should be done.

"They have apparently gone back underground, but there is no news that they have left the California area." Giles said.

"Uh huh." Buffy said vacantly.

"Also the coven feels..."Giles hesitated, knowing the next bit of information could put his former slayer over the edge, but he willed himself to continue "The seers..for see...a dark force joining them, powerful magic. They feel it could have some links to the prophecy at William's birth."

Buffy could only stared wide eyed as tears sprung to her eyes. 'Damn prophecy's.. Why can't the universe just leave her and her son alone.

"The prophecy..", Giles began.

"I know all about the damn prophecy Giles!" Buffy yelled at him, "Blah blah blah, child of light, child of darkness. Blah blah, child of swore enemies, conceived in love, his blood alone can restore the evil or lock it away for 1000 years. blah blah blah."

"I would not take this lightly Buffy!" Gile warned, " The seers believe that somehow, though William, a powerful enough force can reopen the hellmouth and restore some of the First powers! Steps must be taken!"

"Steps!?", Buffy cried, "What steps? Send him away? Lock him in a tower? Surround him with spells and stuff? Keep him isolated from everyone and everything? Keep him from living? I told you before. I won't do that. I'm not gonna lock him away just because someone may or may not think he's a key or something. It's not fair to him! He didn't ask for this! He's only a baby."

Giles sighed, "Whether he asked for it or not is not the issue. He was conceived, around the time..."

"ON THE MORNING!!" She screamed.

Giles sighed again., (Not that argument now), "Conceived when hellmouth closed forever, his mother fought to close it. (He carefully avoided the father issue). William has and will always have a very powerful connection to those events. There is no escaping that. We must take measures to protect him."

"I am protecting him! I protect him every day! I'd die to protect him, but I'm doing it here! Home..Where he can have friends, and family and school and a life!"

"News Flash Giles! No one will take him from me! No One!" Buffy looked up, her eyes fierce and deadly. If looks could kill Giles's head would have exploded out his ears.

"What do you propose then?" Giles challenged, "The seers feel that this year, the energy surrounding the former hellmouth is at a peak. It will be the 5th anniversary of it's closer. You know numbers like that have significance. They feel if an attempt is to be made; it will be made this year, close to the time of the hellmouth's closure."

"April, so we have until April. We'll go away then, for a few weeks. Hide out. Right? Till it blows over. When the time comes and goes than that's it right? He'll.. he'll be safe then. Right?" Buffy looked hopeful.

"The seers feel this year, is the strongest advantage for their side. Yes.. If the time comes and goes without incidence, it may be another 5 years before they can try again. If at all.." Giles sighed, knowing full well he would have to concede to her. She would never allow him to take William to a council stronghold like he had hoped.

"So that's it. Plan in motion.", Buffy said, easing a little. 'A few weeks', she thought, 'Just a few weeks'. They could hide out, go away. She'd be able to protect him, save him. She'd saved the world, over and over again.. She could save her son.
" So we have the plain. Good plannage,...and..and everything will be okay.., Right?...." It was more of a hopeful question that a statement.

"We need to make some further plans." Giles said sternly. It was all he had left to offer.


Buffy and Giles discussed strategy and ideas, laying the ground work for what they needed to do. Giles would have Willow, Lillia and Livia start researching protection spells, and Buffy would allow them to put some on the house, the shop, even Dawn's dorm room. William would have to be watched carefully, and his time out, after dark limited. If Buffy was not with him, another slayer would be, watching him at school, or after school, anytime Buffy wasn't there.

Buffy also made one other decision. Tomorrow, she would have to take a little trip. A trip that couldn't wait.

But tomorrow was tomorrow, and today was still Nov 3, and she pushed all thoughts from her mind and went outside to find her son.

Dawn, Willow, Livia, Mila, Lillia, and Clem were sitting around the back table, chatting and watching the scene before them. Mithril giggling on Livia's lap. William was still, or again, running from Xander.

"Can't catch me uncle Xander. Can't catch me. I'm too clever for you. Too clever, "William called.

"Too clever?? Too clever eh?" and with that Xander finally managed to grab hold of William. He spun him so that William was hanging upside down, Xander holding him by his feet inches above the ground.

"Who's too clever now blond boy eh?" Xander challenged.

"Me!" William shouted defiantly, not an once of fear in his eyes.

"Ohh yeah?.. Ohh,..yeah!" Xander said as he began to tickle William, who wriggled and squealed in his arms.

"Ya know Buf, ya should've named him Dennis, as in Menace, as in what you are. You... You.. little blond menace guy you..That's it! From now on your Dennis. Little Dennis guy. I have proclaimed, and it and it will be so"
.
"Nope, I'm William." He cried, laughing, struggling against his uncle's grasp.

"No. No No, your name's Dennis now! Dennis Xander! S'gota nice ring to it" Xander said.

"Dennis Giles Xander." Giles reminded. He stood beside Livia, one hand on her shoulder, as he leaned in to kiss Mithril's head.

"Yeah yeah, okay. So Dennis, what ya gotta say now?" Xander asked.

Always the defiant one, "I'm William!" he cried, "William, William, WILLIAM!"

"Yeah, who says?" Xander demanded.

"Mommy, and she the boss, nobody messes with my Mommy!" William said proudly.

"He's..err..got you there." remarked Clem.

Buffy could help but smile, her son... God, she loved her son. He was the love of her life, the joy of her world, her reason for being. He was heaven and home itself. He made her whole, and gave her a sense of pride, of accomplishment, of purpose, that nothing, not slaying, not saving the world, ever could.
And she will never let anything happen to him.
all tucked away by emilyo
Chapter 6 : All tucked away.

Hours passed by, as they do. Too soon the party was over.

Xander and Mila had left for home, as did Willow, Lillia and Mithril, with Livia in tow.

Giles had stayed, to spend some quality time with his beloved godson. He was now in the process of giving William his bath, leaving Buffy a moment to try to sort through the new gifts in his room.

William's room had taken on a definite *theme* over the last year or two. It was so different from the teddy bear motif that she, Dawn and Willow had went for in England.

The room was a dark blue on 3 of the walls. Moons and stars and planets were depicted throughout. The fourth wall was a lighter blue, adorned with clouds and a giant smiling sun. Buffy and Dawn had gone with the *heavens* design on account of the way her son would just sit and stare up, pondering what went on in the sky's above.

An abundance of toys lay around the room. Not the general *fluffy bunny* type either. There were some games, and planes and racing cars. And of course..tons of trains..(Wills had a thing for trains).

Most of the toys, however, tended toward the supernatural in nature. Any and every type of monster or demon or hero that was ever made into some type of toy, could be found here in Wills room. Everyone had begun to refer to it as the *Addams family toy cellar*.

Buffy smiled. She had to admit, it was looking like a storeroom at a sci fie convention... Or Andrew's place. She wasn't sure which was worse

She continued to clean until she heard Giles begin to retreat from the bathroom with his charge. She quickly finished up, and with a satisfied look, decided to go downstairs as to give Giles more time alone with his godson.

By the time she headed back upstairs. William was dressed in his favorite blue moon and stars pajamas, and all tucked into his moon and stars blue comforter and sheets . Giles was now reading him one of his favorite bedtime stories. Stories full of heroes and villains. Where the good guys always win, eventually, beating back the bad to live out their days together in peace and harmony, and with love.

Her son was too young to know better.

Her son loved the stories. He was never afraid of the monsters contained there in, or in the any of the movies Xander took him to. He was never afraid of the fighting, of the scenes of bloodshed that would plague other children's nightmare's for weeks. She had seen him laugh widely as brave rangers lopped off the heads of trolls and orcs and other villains. He reveled in the violence, it was part of his darker side, a side she knew all too well. One that she saw in him when he got angry, and could not quite control his temper. In those times, he would throw tantrums, break things, using magic if he could. She tried not to get angry at him in. She simply calmed him as best she could. Telling him she loved him, and urging him to talk about why he was angry, or what bad things he had done. Always reassuring him that she would love him no matter what and that together they could get through anything.

"Read the part where they tear the king troll's head off uncle Giles. Read that again."William said.

"Perhaps we should focused less on the... heads off.. and more on the connotation the author is trying to express.", Giles noted.


"C..contitrusion?" William asked, scrunching up his little face in confusion.

"Sorry." Giles muttered, it was sometimes hard to remember that this boy, was indeed, only just four.
"It means nuance, interpretation." Giles explained.

Giles was met with a blank stare.

"Okay, lets try again." Giles said as he removed his glasses, giving them a good rub, "The *meaning* William. Add connotation and nuance to your words for today. They both are ways to say Meaning."

"So why don't they just say meaning?", ...and the heads off is the best part anyways. " The boy said innocently.
.
Giles shook his head in frustration.. "And the beast that is your mother in you rears it ugly head." He murmured.
"William, son, your missing the point of the story. The meaning of it is.."

I know the story uncle Giles." William said while rolling his eyes in eyes in the patented Summer's way, "Good warrior people go find bad monsters, and rip their heads off, like warriors are suppose to do."

He smiled sleepily up at his uncle, very satisfied with his *meaning*.

"Good lord," Giles mumbled quietly "Now I believe he truly is channeling his...."

"His.." Buffy said walking into her son's room, startling Giles.

"Oh, Buffy," Giles jumped up," I didn't realize you were here."

"His what?" William yawned.

"Nothing sweetie." Buffy said, smiling down at her little boy, "Well , someone looks like he's all ready for sleepies"


"Nope." Will replied stubbornly, and yawned again.

"Yes, I think so sweetie." Buffy said.

"Quite right, off to bed you go. Don't forget your words" Giles added.

"For today, nuance. and connotatism. Big long boring words for meaning." William giggled
.
Giles stared at him, looking indignant for a moment. He glanced at Buffy who was bubbling with a tightly restrained laughter. He mealy sighed, smiled a little and shook his head. He then bent down to kiss his godson goodnight.

William leaned up and put his arm around Giles' neck "I love you uncle Giles. I'm glad you and aunt Livia are here."


Giles reach his arms around and hugged the boy, this complete joy of a boy in his mind. He took a moment to look at him, his face, his eyes. For a split second the boy's baby blue eyes appeared hauntingly familiar, but Giles whisked the image away and grabbed his godson in a tighter embrace "I love you too William, and I'm glad I'm here too, very glad."
Giles than kissed William again and smoothed his blond hair before heading down the stairs.

"Hey, 4 year old boy", Buffy said, as she sat by her son, tucking him in, and rubbing her hands across his cheek, feeling his smooth baby skin "Did my sweet baby boy have a good birthday?"

"Yep, it was the bestest of the bestest. I gotta lotta lotta stuff." His eyes gleamed, his face wide with a huge reminiscent grin.

"That's great sweetie.", Buffy smiled, not being able to stop herself at being amused by her's sons.. Well. Greed...She cuddled him.

"Hey gotta talk to ya bout something."

"Hmm."said a very sleepy William rubbing his eyes.

"Mommy's gotta go out of town tomorrow. Just for a little while"

"Are we going on Holiday?" William said, suddenly wide eyed and very much awake.

'Holiday,' Buffy thought. Five minutes with Giles, and Wills slips into this strange British/American lingo that always disturbs her just a little.
"No, not us sweetie. Me..Mommy has to go alone." she explained.

He looked thoughtful for a minute, "No,.. I don't want that."

'Here we go' Buffy thought, 'Be patient, and avoid a tantrum right before bed' "I know, maybe you don't sweetie, but remember I told you. You can't always get you own way."

"Why not? I don't want you to go." He said with mixture of annoyance and anger in his voice and a big pout appearing on his face. God, he looked adorable.

"Because, I'm the Mom, and your the kid, and sometimes.. I gotta tell ya I'm doing something, and that...That's... it." Buffy said trying to sound firm.

"Hgrrrh humph," her son growled in his throat, and continued the pout.

"Listen." Buffy began, hugging her son, "Tomorrow, you'll get to spend all day with uncle Giles. He'll take you to the museum, and the book store, the library, you know, all those stuffy places you like to go, but Mommy never goes to.."

William fought hard, unsuccessfully, to hide a grin under his pout and a slight laugh escaped from him.

"So." she continued, "While your off getting all stuffy with your uncle. I'll just zip away for a little bit, and be back before you know it. Just promise mommy that if uncle Giles tried to buy you anything in tweed that you'll run. Run quickly."

"Tweed?" he asked while scrunching up his pouty face.

Buffy laughed "Never mind baby. Point is, you'll be having so much fun, you won't even miss me while I'm away."

"I always miss you when your away." He said quietly while pouting further, sadness creeping into his eyes.

He could be so sweat. It broke her heart. "I know you do baby, but you'll be having so much fun. You won't have time to miss me." She cuddled and caressed him. Reassuring him until she felt him begin to ease and relax, some of the sadness lifting from his features.

"I love you sweetie. So much.. You know how much I love you?"

"More than all the moon and the stars in the sky?" He asked.

"Yeah baby, more than every one.", she confirmed.

"I love you too Mommy" He said.

And there mother and son sat, holding each other, until he fell quietly asleep.
what level of hell by emilyo
Some time later..In L. A.

Spike wandered around the offices of Wolfram and Hart, feeling particularly pissed off about his situation

Sent back as a ghost. Stuck in L. A, with Angel of all creatures, that brooding, moping ponce of a grandsire of his.

He must surly be in hell.

Dante claimed that all hells were fashioned to suit each damned soul's individual torment.
Whoever crafted his hell was a bloody artist in torment! That was for certain!

"Hey. Hey! You can't just go in there, Spike", It was Harmony, his ex joy toy, now Angel's secretary, further proof that he was indeed in Hell.

"Not going in. So sod off! Even if I were, how were you going to stop me! Hav' security remove me from the bloody building?!!"

Harmony was stumped. With Spike being all non-touchable Ghostman, there really wasn't anything they could do to him.

"Then what are you doing." she demanded.

"Just trying to get a Ghostly ear 'bout what the big noise is now. The whole lot of 'em been locked in there all day. Hell all week, and the last one too."

"Yeah, they have been major with the weird for a while now." she agreed.

"Any idea what the * weirdness* might be bout then pet?" he asked.

"No." She admitted, "the 're like, major with the secrets. All I know is that there was some big thing last week. Some thing with uninvited visitor's to Angel's. Since then, everyone's been all twitchy, and strange."

"Any ideas as to whom the mystery guest might be?" Spike asked while his thoughts began to race. Maybe it has something to do with this sandshoes nonsense or what of he'd been hearing about. The whole, Angel gettin to be a real boy business. Or maybe..
Could it be Buffy? Had she come back from Europe? Since his few months being back, so to speak, he been able to get little to no info about his former flame out of the big poof. She's in Europe, blah Blah, retired from slayering. Blah Blah. Hasn't made contact in years. He wondered if it were true, or if the great mopping mop was just trying to keep her from him.
Still, he wasn't sure he wanted her to see him like this anyway. She'd just feel.. Pity for him. That was something he just couldn't bear.


"Hello. Spike. Earth to Spike." Harmony called, waving her hand in front of his face.

"Eh, What's that?" Spike asked.

"I said, nobody but the senior staff knows anything. It's all hush hush. But why should you listen to me now. You never listened to me before, when we were dating. Huh, probably off fantasizing about your slayer again." she complained.

"I was not, I was..." But Spike couldn't come up with a good excuse.

"Uh, your pathetic." Harmony said, throwing up her hands up and walking away.

'Yeah.' he thought, 'I really am...'Now.'...
i am ghoest by emilyo
Few hours later.

Spike was still lurking around, trying to find out any bit of information. He knew instinctively that something big was going down. His grandsire looked more miserable that usual. Anything that made peaches look so miserable must be an interesting thing and Spike wanted to know more.

The only down side to Angel being miserable, was that he was occupying everyone else's time. And that cute brain girl had had to stop working on a cure for his.. well.. problem. He just couldn't have that. He had to find out more.

He waited for them all to vacate Angel's office, and them floated though the wall, and began to try and rummage through Angel's things. It wasn't easy, he had to concentrate hard just to move anything, to have the slight impact on the world.

He heard his grandsire begin to make his way back into the office. 'Damn', he thought. He didn't feel like a lecture from the old poof.

So he looked for the nearest closet and blended between it and the wall of the office. Just enough to spy on the big mope, but hidden enough so he's go unnoticed.

Angel stormed in and slump down into his desk chair. He lifted up all of the latest report, and tossed the papers haphazardly across the room. 'Again', he thought, 'We missed our chance again'. They had been looking for Connor and Drusilla almost 3 years now. They needed them in close proximity so that they could capture Connor. Eve made it clear that the partner's would still make good on their promise to him, for Connor. Always for Connor. Although their was no way to turn Connor back to human, no way they knew of, (while he was alive, so to speak). They could curse him with a soul, like Angel was.

A soul. With a soul, he may have a chance. A chance to stop the mindless killing. A chance to achieve shanshu, if he worked here, got enough good deeds under his belt. Yes, Connor had a chance He was young yet, not so drenched in blood. He would be a good candidate. If Angel could only steer him back on the right course.

It was a small hope, but Angel clung to it like a drowning man to driftwood. It was all he had left now. His only reason for staying in this god awful hell of a place. He needed this place, its resources, to try, once again, to save Connor.

Screw Dru. Angle couldn't wait to get his hands on her. He didn't care anymore about her murdered family, or had driven her insane. She'd crossed a line by going after Connor. And Angel would have his vengeance. Dru had a trip to hell waiting for her, and Angel was ready to punch the ticket.

One thing he couldn't fathom. How the hell did Dru find Connor anyway??

Angel's thought were interrupted by hearing Harmony moan and whine.

"But... But, you can't just go in there...and .. and you need an appointment or something... and I think he's real busy...and I really think I should warn him first..."

Just then the door burst open, and Angel received another shock of un life.
"Buffy"


Chapter 9 The Talk


"Hello Angel." Buffy said calmly. But in reality she was a jumble of nerves. She had discuss this moment with Giles, with the group. What she should and should not say. About how much she should reveal. It wasn't just Angel she was concerned about (although she was not quite sure where his loyalties lie anymore) . It was this whole evil place in general. She could feel that the walls had ears and were listening. She did not want to reveal to it any information that would lead them to her son. Every report they've gotten suggested that no one here knew of her son or if they did, they were not interested in him. Yet..

Angel tried to remain calm as he took in the site of her. Here. In front of him. After all these years.

"You look..great.." He began warily all they while wondering what she was doing here, after so long a time. She did look great. The years had done wonders for her. She was dressed in a simple white camisole top that clung in all the right places and a pair of beige khaki pants that hugged tightly at her waist. Her hair was still blond. Her face as beautiful as he remembered. Her hazel eyes showed more mature, more confident and had a glow in them that Angel had never seen before. He noticed she'd added some weight, but that only proved accent her body, rather than retract. Her legs were still sturdy and strong, soft flesh covering the steel muscles that Angel remembered so well. They lead to her hips, that were now more curves and full, leading up to her washboard abs. Her now more fully rounded breast were held lusciously by a white simple bra barely showing beneath her top. She was the vision that he remembered and more.


'Is she finally coming back to me?' He couldn't help but hope.

Finally, he allowed his eyes to stop it's demanding quest to drink in her body and he summoned the will to speak ."So, how's Europe." "Here on a visit?"


Okay. Here it goes. General answerers. Nothing specific. Choose words carefully. Try to keep your story straight And ...
'God. He looks like shit.' she thought.

He wore a rumpled dark brown buttoned shirt with wrinkled black paints and plain black shoes. He never was a great dresser, but this outfit made him look like an intern at a mortician's office. It did nothing to enhance his once handsome face, which now was drawn and haggard with stress. His once soulful eyes, were now marked with grief and loss. And..
And did he gain weight??

Suddenly, Buffy stopped her critiquing long enough to remember that he was standing there waiting for an answer to his question. What was it? Europe. Oh yeah! Europe! Uh Oh!
"I never made it passed England; actually, and no, not here on a visit." "I'm...
"I'm back.. in..in the states..."

"Oh, We'll that's great." Angel looked onto her eyes," How long have you been back?"

Okay steady, here we go "Bout two and a half years, roughly", Buffy couldn't help notice the hurt that spread across his face.

"Oh,... That's.. great. Just getting around to visiting now?" Angel said, his eyes steady, never wavering from her.

"I've been busy." she said.

"Guess so." he returned.

"So have you, from what hear." Angel could see contempt creeping into her eyes.

They silently stared each other down.

"So." Angel began "What brings you around here to the evil empire, another apocly.."

"Its about Drusilla...and Connor..." she said cutting him off.

Angel froze upon hearing his son's name. Especially from Buffy's lips.
'Damn, what did she know?'
"What do you know about it." he spat. He did not want slayers, any slayers, with knowledge of his son.

"Enough!" She said, her voice rising, "Enough not to understand you stayed. Even after he was turned."

Angel glared at her with daggers in his eyes, but kept his words calm and steady . "This place is the only resource I have left to save him." He explained as if speaking to a child.

"Save him! Save him!!??" Buffy gasped at the irony. "This place is probably responsible for turning him to begin with, and definitely responsible for him landing in a demon dimension with some psycho guy."

"You don't know anything about this!" He shouted.

"I know enough!" She shouted back.

"Oh right, from where? Second hand watcher reports?; or by beating it out of some demon who will tell you anything, just so you 'd stop pounding on him? Let me set the record straight! The past is over. I can't change it. All I can do is try to save Connor from centuries of bloodshed. Before its too late. Before he's too far gone."

"He's far gone now!" Buffy shouted, "And he wasn't a prize to begin with was he? But now. Oh, He and Dru have been making quite a name for themselves. Do you know what kind of massacres those two have been responsible for in the past few years? Their quickly rising to number one on the Slayer hit list."

Angel winced at this information "And what can you do. Get him on one of those slayer -friendly list? For demons who work for you and behave themselves by being good little demons and eating all their vegetables?"

Buffy looked coldly at Angel "Even if I could, I wouldn't! He's a killer Angel!"

"HE"S MY SON BUFFY!!!" He shouted, then spoke softy, "He's my son. My son who was once an innocent baby. My son who was stolen from me and perverted into the monster that he became. I'm not about to continue to let him pay for the mistakes that were made by me. I will not let him to continue to suffer just because he was born my son! Maybe. Someday. If you ever have a child. Maybe then. You'll understand".

Buffy lowered her gaze, not wanting to meet his eyes. She calmed her voice, "Look this is not what I came here for."

"What did you come here for then!!" He snapped.

"I need information about Drusilla." She said, "Where she is. What she's planning. I need to know.. "

"So you can feed it to the council, get them both dusted." Angel spat.

"No. This is not about the council. This is personal." She spoke quietly.

"Personal how?" He asked, "What do you care about them so much for? Word has it that you retired from the fold. So why..."

"Dru sent a message for me. She wants to punish me. She wants to take something from me, to hurt me."

Angel looked at the desperation forming in her eyes, in her voice. Seeing her pain melted some of his anger. "Why would she want to hurt you. She's never really been one to focus on anyone not directly in her path, even slayers. That was more Spike's game."

"She blames me...for Spike." Buffy whispered. "For him .. not being here.. anymore.."

Angel stood there wordless, but the wheels in his mind were spinning. 'Buffy really doesn't know he's back. Can't tip my hand.'

"She want to make me pay." Buffy continued, "To make me suffer. She wants to take someone that I love from me".

"Who?" Angel demanded, "Is it Dawn, or.. Willow.?."

"No, not them." again Buffy could not meet Angel's gaze.

Angel began to pick up her agitation. He smelled her fear, and reluctance, and something else. He walked slightly closer to her and sniffed the air again. There was a presence on her. Male. He caught it now, light in the air, faint, but not old. Had she tried to cover it up? It started to dawn on him. "So this someone. The someone you love. Would it be a..a male someone?"

"Yes." she said softly, silently cursing to herself. She'd caught the bloodhound act. She had scrubbed and scrubbed herself till her skin flaked off. Even had used some herble crap that smelled horrible, but that Willow promised would do the job. Still Angel manage to pick up her son's sent. Buffy cursed all vampires and their stupid noses.

"So you've finished...baking?" He asked.

"Baking?" Then she remembered, the cookie analogy, "Oh yeah, baking. Well.. Yes, I guess. He.. completes me." No use in denying it, she'd improvise.

"Little cliche' don't you think?", he smirked

"Maybe." she said looking into his eyes.

Angel looked into her face, her eyes, the determination there in. His eyes flickered to her neck and then he noticed it. His heart sank. No marks. Somehow she had all the bites,.. removed. He suddenly realized that he hadn't sensed her when she had walked in. And then he knew. Knew that it was truly over with her. He didn't know exactly when, or why or for how long, but he had finally lost her.

"Do you ... You love him." He managed to stammer.

With all my heart, more than anything else in the world." she said firmly.

"More than you loved me", he asked quietly.

Buffy could look straight at Angel now. Eyes steady, and told her what was in her heart, her soul.
"I love him more than I have ever love anything, or anyone in this world. I have to...protect him. I will not see him hurt."

"That why you had the marks removed." He spat.

The what!" Her hand flew to where his eyes peered. Her neck. She had used surgery and a bit of magic to have any trace of her past...transgressions...removed from her. Body, mind and spirit. For him. Both of them.

Angel cut her off, truly hurt now, and letting it show. " Never mind. You *spelled * the marks away. Off living your new life, which is great for you. What I wanted right? But don't come in here and get into my business. You have to protect him! Huh. So why didn't you bring the big whuss with you to plead your case!?"

"Cause he is not involves with this! This is about me, and those band of sicko freaks that YOU created!" She knew she was egging him on. She could see the hurt and pain building in him, but she didn't care now. Before she had realized it, she had pushed him against the far wall, stake in hand. Rage appeared in his eyes as he struggling against her, but he wasn't going anywhere. The stake came up, and she lunged it at his heart, breaking the skin, but not piecing the dead organ. The slayer had him now, immobilized, anger still sweeping though him, but now he gave off a new scent. Fear. 'Good', she thought. Let him fear me. Her voice was hard and rained down on him like icicles as they broke from her tongue and made their assault. "I'm making this my fight. I have my reasons. Anyone who gets in my way. Who tries to hurt him, will suffer dearly my wrath. Anyone..."

Angel looked at her. Still trapped, he listened and registered these words, and knew she meant every one.
If Connor and Drusilla,..or even himself... did anything to upset the original slayer, there be no place they'd be safe, ever.

It was almost an hour before Buffy finished up her conversation with Angel and left the building and L. A. behind. Which was fine by her. She didn't get much information, but she got her point across. Never did she, nor Angel for that matter, suspect that they had been observed from the shadows by veiled eyes.
simple joys by emilyo
Buffy drove home in a shroud of silence. The events of the afternoon playing and replaying her mind like a bad pop song. Buffy wanted to break down, wanted to weep. Also there was the intense desire to beat something to a bloody pulp. Angel would be a good start.
All her thoughts weighed heavily on her all the ride home. Feelings of doubt began to creep into her mind.

What if she couldn't protect him? What if she wasn't strong enough? Would it be better to raise him normal only to have him suffer at the hands of evil because of it? She knew William would never be completely normal. That was ok. He didn't want to be normal anyway.
But was she doing him, and the future, a disservice by raising him as she was? Should she be trying to toughen him up? Raise him to be some kind of mini soldier in the battle between good and evil? Buffy knew that's what the powers expected, but she shuddered at the thought. He deserved this time. He would have to face his future soon enough. She wouldn't be able to keep him from the fight forever. He did, after all, have a destiny.

She didn't want that for him, but she couldn't totally deny it either. William had a purpose. He would be one of the good guys. This thought filled her with fear as much as it did pride. And even if she didn't want this for him, she knew that she couldn't shield him forever.
Even if she completely wanted to and could, he wouldn't allow it. He'd want to be right there in the fight. He was the son of his parents after all.

All these concerns and more clouded Buffy's mind as she turned onto her street. She noticed them a little ways ahead, right in front of the house. Her family was here. Xander and Mila, Lilia and Willow, Giles and Livia, and even Dawn. They were watching the children ride on their bikes.

Their neighborhood was relatively quite. Not a lot of traffic came in and out of these streets and people were nice while being non-intrusive, (most of the neighbors were from *their* world). It was the perfect place to raise a pair of *spirited* magical children.

Buffy turned into the driveway and immediately got out to embrace her sister and the rest of her family. William was riding up the other side of the street, peddling as fast as his little legs could pump him. He loved to feel the wind in his hair as he raced around on his now TWO wheeled bike. Mithril, who was a full year older than William, had recently mastered the art of two wheels. William, refusing to be outdone, had Xander remove his training wheels too. He practiced and practiced until he had also, finally, manage to keep himself upright.

William must have sensed her, because he turned from Mithril and raced back toward the house. Flying off his bike without even letting it stop, he leapt up and ran to her arms.

"Mommy!" he cried as he laughed and ran to her. "Your Finally back!! You've been gone Forever!!!"

Buffy was tempted to tell her excitable son that an afternoon hardly equates to *forever*, but she was just too happy to see him.

"Mommy will you ride with me? uncle Xander was riding with us, but he got tired too quick. You never get tired too quick like he does!!"

"Thanks for that Will." Xander sighed. "Here Buff. You can use my bike" Xander offered.

"Thanks Xand." Buffy said with a grateful as she took the bike. "But hey you. Why don't you ride with me?" Buffy offered to her son.

He smiled as she helped him scramble onto the bigger bike. Buffy smirked, just a little, at his jr. sized combat army helmet. This was the only thing her son would wear when riding. He had flat out refused to wear any other helmet, citing them as babyish. There was a long standoff between mother and son, until Xander finally found...this...as a solution.

"Okay? Ready?" Buffy asked.

William nodded and giggled and they were off.

Buffy pumped the bike as fast as her slayer legs could go, probably breaking several speed records in the process. Not to mention coming dangerously close to pushing the bike well past it's constructual limits. But the gleeful cries from William for more were enough to keep her going faster and faster. All her concerns flew away from them as they rode together. This simple joy was enough to remind her of what she fought for..for him.. Just a simple life..with simple pleasures.
nothing simple is woth getting by emilyo
Author's Notes:
some reference to rape if you are sensitive about certain topics, skip this chapter
Mexico: a few days after *the talk*.


Simple. Everything really was so simple. So easy, and simple and carefully thought out.
So how did it all crumple to shit so quickly?

The witch usually didn't like to succumb to vulgarity. That was for lesser minded beings. But as she surveyed her surroundings with a dubious eyes, she couldn't help the steady steam of uncouth thoughts that clouding her head.

'This was just a temporary setback' , she reminded herself.

And she was a Queen. As she walked around, eyeing the construction, over seeing the minions, her head was held high with the air of a royalty, but one who had just been offered scraps off a servants table. She would keep her pride though. It wouldn't due for the..underlings.. to see her..unsettled. No, she would remain in control.
Just then, the main conspirators to her current state sauntered though the opening. Laughing of all things!


The witch seethed with barely controlled rage as Drusilla and Connor pranced jovially through the door. How dare they? Prancing around the compound, flaunting their sickening displays of lust and fornication. After so utterly destroying her perfect and carefully laid plans.

The pair fondled and kissed each other, totally ignoring the witch and the busy minions until finally a clearing of a throat was heard.

The two vampire looked up, but if the witches's sneer was meant to intimidate them, well, she'd be sadly mistaken. They both just smirked at her.

"Mother, it seems the good witch would like out attention." Connor said while smiling at Dru.

"Shhh my precious. We must show the little witch some measure of respect. After all, she did help to reunite out little family." Dru giggled.


"Damn right it was!" The witch shouted. Usually she took pride in her ability to have total self control, but these two had continually test those limits daily.
"I gave you everything Drusilla! All that you would need to find this boy!" the witch pointed to Connor. "All that you would need to break your former...agreements. I allowed you everything. Allowed you to keep this insolent child with you even though he is no use to me or to the cause!"

"Hey!", Connor began to protest, but Drusilla put a hand delicately on his arm indicating silence..for now.

"He is a liability!", The witch continued to scream out her anger at them. "His father is in league with our biggest competitors. He will now be using the vast resources at his disposal to track us down to the ends of the earth. The powers at Wolfram and Hart will allow it because they covet our prize as much as we do! So what do you do. Do you lay low? Wait until the plans can be finalized? Where you smart and did you keep to the low profile that has worked so well for us for the last three years? No! You two brilliant minds decide to walk right into the heart of our enemies and proceed to host a little coming out party! I'm surprised you didn't conjure up streamers and some balloons to go with it? Why didn't you just announce our intentions on a fifty foot billboard right in downtown L. A. It would have been quicker! Honestly strolling into Angel's bedroom in he middle of the night. What ever possessed you to commit such folly?"

The witch did not wait for an answer as she continued to rant, "You two thought you were so clever. Wanted to twist the knife in a little deeper by flaunting yourselves before *Daddy* hmmm? Well congratulations. Look where you've gotten us!" The witch dramatically swept her arm around the room, her eyes following the motion.

"Here we are stuck in some hole while we are being hunted as animals. And not only from *daddy* dearest. The slayer and her team of do gooders have picked up on our plan. They have tightened security and locked everything down with every spell they could think of. It will be that much harder to steal our prize now!! So tell me this. Was that one moment of anguish in your *daddy's* eyes...Was it worth this!?"

Connor had just about had enough of this little witch, but Drusilla held him still, indication that she would resolve this. So Connor stayed his place. Mother would take care of everything. Mother always knew best.

"Poor little witch", Drusilla cooed. She circled the redhead finally coming to rest right in front of her. Drusilla took a hand and gently played with the fringes of the witches hair.
A thousand retorts screamed though the witches' mind, but she found herself oddly compelled to stand still and pay head to the vampiress. If the witch wasn't so prideful in herself she would have noted that her sudden interest in Drusilla was due to thrall, and nothing more.

Being so confident in herself, the thought of thrall was left unconsidered as she listened to the vampiress.

"There is no need for worry.", Dru cooed in a soft surprisingly lucid voice "We can easily defend this fortress here. It stands on accursed ground. Yes the blood of many flowed here. Such a river that even now I feel I could bathe in it." Dru eyes lit up like the fourth of July as her mind stretched out to feel the evil flowing about the cavern. She continued to play with the witches hair as she spoke. "We can easily fortify this place so it will not register one blip to even the most sensitive seeker. We have the power to block all those nasty seekers from seeing us..finding us... And the other will be no problem to us. Let them pile spell after spell after spell upon our prize, they still cannot keep it from us. Because they have underestimated one thing...me."

Dru giggled at the witch and continued to explain "They underestimate blood. Blood is the key. It is always blood. He holds his father's blood. The blood holds a shadow of his father's power. Power will recognize power. Blood will recognize blood and he will come to me of his own will. Spells or no spells he will be but powerless to come."

Dru released the witch from her gaze and took a few steps toward Connor before turning back around to speak again. "As for Daddy. His punishment is long in coming. His time of retribution near. The look of anguish were not nearly enough, but the day of revenge will soon be here..and it will be so gratifying. As you well know.." Dru grinned and pointed a finger up toward the witch. "You yourself know exactly how delicious it is to punish a wicked daddy."

The witch look momentary horrified, causing Connor to grin and Dru to laugh gleefully. Dru continued to taunt the witch before she could react further.

"OHH poor little redheaded girl. No mommy to save her. No one but her dollies to hear her pleas and cries and screams in the dark of night. No one but herself to save her. To punish that nasty daddy and his nasty hands. So child answer truly. When he finally screamed no, was it as good for you as it had been for him?"

The witch only allowed her self a moment before she put a steel mask of indifference on her face. Ignoring the taunts she focused on the larger issues."You had better be correct. You had better be successful. I have the backing of the greatest power in all the dimensions. A power much older that your great grandsire, you demented half-breed. I am the chosen champion and you will do well to remember that. If my plans should fail I shall offer you and your insolent childe to Wolfram and Hart as a peace offering, even if I have to tap into every power in this realm to do it. If I even get that chance. The great powers make take it upon themselves to punish you for your...disobedience."

The faint look of uncertainty and fear that crossed the vampire's faces was enough for the witch. It only lasted a split second but the witch caught it and declared it a victory. They knew the power at her disposal. Maybe now these two would finally behave.


The witch left them without another word and made her way to her own chamber. At her insistence, it was the first part of their compound to be completed. She had demanded obedience on this, and had not spared the rod to get the minions to complete their task. But her private sanctuary was here for her in all its finery. A testament to her great power.

As she sat on her fine bed linens, she suddenly felt weary..old..worn out.. and she cursed herself for it.

"You let them get the better of you Petal"

The witch closed her eyes and sucked in a breath at the voice. She tried hard to stomp on the memories that this voice unleashed but it was too late. The gates were opened and the floods of memories rushed forth.
^^^^^^^^^
A little girl clutched at her covers and cowered in the bed, desperately trying to make herself sink into it..disappear....literally. But her magic wasn't strong enough. Not yet.

She had sensed him the minute that he had entered her suite of rooms. He hardly ever bothered to come to this wing of the house. If he did, she knew there was one reason and one reason only. He was coming for her.

He was close. Coming for her. Her tormenter. Her capture. Her father.

So lost in her fear she didn't hear the silent click of the door. Before she knew it he was there. It didn't matter. She couldn't run. Couldn't hide. The times she had tried to only had made it worse later when he caught her. He was a powerful wizard, powerful man, her father.

She was only a little girl.

His little girl..forever. He had made that very clear.

"Ahh Petal. Waiting up for your Daddy. Always waiting and ready for your Daddy aren't you Petal?" He called her that as he laid down beside her, her back to him as he caressed her cheek. He always called her that. But only here..and like this. She hated that name. It made her sick.

If he heard her whimpers as he caressed her with his hands, his body, he didn't pay them any mind. She felt his harden bulge pressed into her backside and even her young mind registered what it meant. After all this wasn't new to her. Not anymore.

She tried to separate her mind from her body as she felt him lift her night gown. Tried to disappear into her mind as he felt him paw at her most private and intimate parts. But try as she may she couldn't distance herself and she panicked as she felt him near her opening.

"Daddy..please.."she whimpered.

Whatever he was thinking. Whether he was hearing her words at all or only hearing what he wanted, he ignored her fearful tone and whispered intimately in her ear. "Yes Petal. Daddy's here. For you. All for you. Your MINE Petal."

And he swiftly sheathe himself inside her. Her fragile preadolescent body screamed out at the invasion, even though this was hardly the first time.

She furiously concentrated on trying to ignore the violation of her body She tried to ignore his pounding into her. The pain his thrusts caused her, mind body and soul. The whispered grunts of pleasure and love he growled into her ears. His tongue and his kisses that lapped at her cheek. Instead she looked to the future. To a time when she would be old enough, strong enough to hold real power. She would be a great witch someday. She would be able to wield power the likes of which have never been seen in this dimension. She knew it was true because her daddy had told her so. He had predicted it Wanted it even. And daddy was never wrong.

He always had his way. Always got exactly what he wanted.

But when that time came and she was old enough, daddy finally would not get his way. Daddy would be made to pay. She vowed this over and over, just as he pounded into her..over...and over.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Dreaming of me Petal? Of our glorious times together? Fond memories of me?" The voice mocked.

The witch knew this wasn't him. The man who shaped her life in more ways than other did or would ever. The man who truly made her what she was today. The man she both thanked and cursed because it.

She often wondered why the great one would chose this form to commend her in. This form to communicate to. Some would see it as a form of torment, but the witch chose to recognize it for what it was.

It was a test. A test of strength. One she would pass.

She should have known things wouldn't have been that simple. Nothing simple was ever worth getting. And the prize before her was so grand that it was worthy any,..discomforts, that she may endure along the way. She would not allow herself to show any weakness in face of it.

"Always fond memories of him." The witch informed the apparition, "But only that time when I was 14. That last time? When I used my binding spell to paralyze him. Used my knife to cut through the vocal cords on his throat, but not enough to kill. Than made him watch silently bleeding while I cut off all the...protruding parts of his anatomy..bit by bit..emphasis on the bit part. I would have liked to last longer, but..well you can imagine that the slicing was over quickly. Not enough raw material to speak of. But good times all the same."

"Yes. I remember that day as well.", It spoke solemnly.

"Your not him."

"Oh Petal." The figure approached her and ran a ghostly finger down her cheek in a parody of intimate contact. "I am more him than you know. You should realize that Petal."

"Stop calling me that!" the witch screamed as she moved away from the form, clutching her arms to her chest. Seeing it grin made her curse herself. She had let it get to her.

"Now Vashna is this how I raised you. A warrior always keeps calm even in the face of torment. You can do better that this" The figure scolded.

The witch momentarily forgot herself, where she was, who she was now. The words "yes sir...Daddy" were posed onto her lips as she suddenly remembered herself.

Not allowing herself to dwell on her weakness she drew herself up, raised her hand and murmured some incantations. The witch watched with satisfaction as the apparition glimmered in and out of the dimension, a look of horror on its face. Too soon her energy was spent and the figure reasserted itself into the world.

Seemingly unfazed the figure addressed her, "Now Petal, was that polite?"

"I am the profit of the great powers. It is not your job to question me slave. Your duty is merely to serve." the witch spoke coldly and with contempt.

Servant of the Power of or not, it was time to put this..underling..in place.

"If you have news for me I suggest you deliver it and be gone, for you do not wish to view the full extent of my..power."

It was a bluff. She had expended most of her energy just trying to push it from this dimension. She doubted she could do any more harm to it.

If the figure knew this it didn't show. It simply straightened up its human form and spoke to her. "Down to business. Now that's the girl I raised. That's my Petal."

The apparition allowed itself a smile as it watched her flinch at her words. This was his girl after all. His flesh and blood. His creation. This form was all that was left of the man he had been. He had made his choices in life, knowing it would damn him for eternity. Becoming an servant of the First had been a better outcome that he had expected. It was still hell, but at least he could linger, be connected to the world. Gaze upon his Petal. His girl. Be near to her. He remembered, once upon a time, how she had tasted so sweet. Been so innocent. So...devoted. So... serving. Oh how he wish he could have her just..one more time.

Now was not the time for such thoughts. When his lovely Petal finally disposed of the gifts and restored the First, than evil shall reign free. All of the faithful will become corporal alongside the First and this world will finally be theirs.

And then hell will be released on Earth.

And then his Petal will once again be his. Whether she wanted it or not. For it was promised so by the First. Once it were done..using her, he would reclaim her. She would be his again. Because the First would declared it, and because he wanted it. After all he always got his way. Except for once..of course.

The Witch stood there, impatiently while the figure seemed to rack it eyes over her. Lost in it's own thoughts. Now she was merely annoyed and bored rather that disturbed. This Ghost of a servant couldn't touch her. Literally.

But than why did her blood still feel so cold?

Suddenly volumes of her most sacred books began to fly off their selves opening to reveal specific texts. She looked at the figure, confusion knitted her brow.

"The time has come for action" It explained, "We cannot wait any longer as was originally planned. The souled Angelus is not only hunting you with every resource he has, but is also delving into questions regarding the nature of the champion." The figure cirlced her, gazed at her as it comtinued, "The slayer has been to him. If they continue to collaborate, it will not take them long to discover the plans and steal the prize from us. Already the slayer has taken steps to keep our prize hidden. She means to disappear with it before the time of reckoning. We need to secure it before all is lost." "In those volumes is everything needed to secure the prize and bring it here. The First's restoration cannot be performed before the time, but the..ingredients for the ritual must be secured, and hidden until that time comes."

The witch calculated the time frame and than scowled at the figure. "You want me to sit on them for almost three months? What am I going to do with them for three months. I am a Queen not a cosmic babysitter!" She spat.

"Ahh Petal, You lack of vision shames me. Is this not what the vampiress is for? She will retrieve the prize. She will be able to control them both."

The witch shook her head, "I don't like this. Drusilla is unstable. She cannot be trusted. We should leave them where they are for now. Bringing them together too soon, and under Drusilla's influence! Why you as mad as she is. We should stick closer to the original plan...We should"

"The original plan was destroyed by you lack of leadership." The figure scowled at her as it spoke, "You allowed the vampires too much freedom. If you had kept them leashed then the enemy would still be in ignorance of our activities. But no you allowed them their folly and it set off warning signals to half of the *seeing* world! There is no other course now. We must gather what we need and secure it for ourselves."


The witch stood cold and proud. "It was me who allowed the situation to get out of my control And it will be me to restore it. I have been grated the power and I will use it. The Restoration will be performed. We will be victorious!"

"Two things." The figured warned, "First the young one must be harnessed. It is a willful and powerful creature, and will attempt to use that power against your will.. Also, it is linked to It's mother and will be a beacon to her. There is a spell laid out for you that will show you the way. He must be contained and quickly or the others will come for him."
And lastly, you must keep them separate until the time comes. Do not let them anywhere near each other. It could destroy..everything."

"Goodbye Petal", he said with a kiss, "We will meet again..soon." he promised before he disappeared.

'Great! The witch thought. Instead of spending the New Year basking in glory, she was to rot in this hole as a second rate baby sitter.

"Just fucking great!"
out with the old, in with the new by emilyo
Angel glanced at the setting sun from his row of windows, safe from harmful rays by the carefully crafted glass. Today was one of those days that had just yielded too...much. Too much information and yet more questions than he knew what to do with. He had to find Connor before they did. He had to get him a soul. He had to fix this mess. Had it only been a week ago since Buffy had been here? Did she realize that her coming to him only made him more determined to find Connor? After all, it was obvious by Buffy's attitude that she was lost to him. Connor was all he had left. His only reason to try. His only reason to go on.

Still, Buffy had brought up some valid arguments. Was this the best place to try to save Connor? Certainly it had betrayed him in the past. Time and time again. Can evil be turned around to be used for good? Was it fair to the others to keep them here? He knew that they only stayed to suport him, because they trusted him, his friends. Could he protect them from being manipulated and..corrupted..by this place, and still save Connor in the mean time? Angel had to admit, he was beginning to have doubts. If he thought he had any other resource, any other way to fix this.

Because he was going to. Fix this. Save Connor once and for all. Connor would get a soul. Connor would shanshu. Angel certainly didn't need it anymore. No Buffy. No Cordy. No, he'd give this up, willingly, for his Connor. Once Connor was saved, then he could decide how to proceed. Then he could decide to leave or stay. He was here now. He might as well use this place to save Connor. This place owed him that much.

Once Connor had a soul and Dru was dust, than they could all leave..or stay. It would be up to them.

Also, the pressure would than be off Buffy. She could go on with her precious normal life, with her precious normal human.

So really he'd be helping her. After all, they both wanted Dru gone. They both wanted Conner leashed. So didn't they want the same things? By taking care of this, he'd be doing her a favor.

A few well placed calls later and Angel had tripled the force working on this case. 'This would work out well', he reasoned. 'For all of them.' Angel had to believe that.

The year would be drawing to a close soon. Holidays were coming. It would be 4th anniversary of Connor being turned. Angel felt grief at that remembrance. Connor should have been graduating from college right now. Perhaps a Dr, or a social worker. Someone who could get out there and help people. He should be with a girl, thinking about marriage..and a family...children. Angel's grandchildren. What he should not be is some dead thing slinking around back alleys, fucking the biggest mistake Angel had ever made.

Angel sighed and focused not on the past, but the future. He hoped he could have Connor back and ensouled by Christmas. It would be nice to spend the holiday together.
If not Christmas, than he'll have him back by New years the latest.

Yeah, the new year will be a new beginning. A brand new start..for all of them.
new year, new hope by emilyo
Few months later, New years eve.

Buffy couldn't believe that the year was over. The holidays had come and gone with out incidence, and with out any more news of Dru of Connor. This had it's good point and bad. Bad, because they still had no idea where the pair was, or what they were up to. Good, because the killing activity in the area around California hadn't significantly increase. Maybe they just decided to move on.

One could hope.

Still, she tried not to dwell. Everything would be fine she assured herself. It had to be. So she sat there on her comfy couch, in her comfy home, and ticked off the minutes till midnight.
The people most important. Her friends, her family, were here, surrounding her, and supporting her. They were sitting around laughing, having a good time, playing a board game of some sort. The children near by, fighting sleep, desperately trying to stay awake till midnight. Clem had even stopped by to visit the kids. William loved Clem, and as seeing that he was his father's only true friend, she was glad when she saw the two of the spending time together. He was also one hell of a babysitter.

But she missed Dawn. Dawn had her own friends now. Her own life on campus and at the council, and even though she technically still lived there, she was hardly ever home.
And she missed Giles. Council matters had taken him and Livia back to England, and even though the news had been quiet, she felt apprehensive about him not being here.

But Willow and Lillia were here, with Mithril. And Xander and Mila. Her family. They made it a point to spend as much time together as possible. Even having a mandated family dinner night, so that they never let the outside world's problems divide them.

"Mommy the ball's gonna be drop soon."

"Yes it is sweetness. Come here to mommy." she said, holding her arms open. In a flash, he was in her arms, and she held him close roughening his already tousled hair. His hair was always so unruly. Often curling and sticking up in odd places. She'd have to get it cut again soon.

"Here it comes now mommy, this years's gonna be the best ever. I'll get to go to all day school, and be with John Russel again."

'Yeah, your principle is just thrilled at the prospect of reuniting you two in the same classes again."Buffy chuckled.

"Yeah, we have a lot of fun." Her son smiled, his eyes gleamed mischievously.

"Too much fun. Let try to limit some of our fun this year.. huh ? Especially the joking, magically kind that make your teaches mad."

"Oh, okay, I'll try " And he looked up at her, his eyes so innocent.

"It's still gonna be the best year ever, right mommy?" he asked.

So many hopes. So many dreams she had for her son. They all quickly flashed though her mind as he asked this simple question. Briefly she thought of her mother. Is this what it was like for her? When she found out her daughter was the slayer? The constant worrying? The mind-numbing fear swarming around you, haunting you in the dark of the night?
What would this year bring for them? Could they escape the suspected doom?

Buffy looked at her sweet son and vowed that this year would go by as happily as all the years previous had gone. No, it be even better. She would purposely make it the best year ever...for him.

"Right baby boy." She answered her son. "It will be the best of the bestest ever. I love you sweetie, more than all the moons and the stars in the sky."

"Me too mommy, more than all of em."

They snuggled and they watch the TV together.
3.....,2.....1.....
not even a space saver by emilyo
1, 2 3, throw, connect.
Nothing

No matter how hard he concentrated, the punch would not connect. "Dammit to holy hell." he shouted. Spike really needed to hit something, and the fact that he couldn't have any impact on the world was really grating on him.

Once upon a time, the scoobies would complain that he was a waste. That he just took up space. He couldn't even claim to that anymore. The whole situation he found himself in had him ready to stake himself.

Cept he couldn't even do that could he? For the first time in over 120 years, Spike had absolutely no control, no say in anything. Even his own existence.

Lately, He had been even more desperate. Especially after he had witnessed his grandsire and Buffy's conversation months ago. Not about the argument, seeing Buffy's cold anger and contempt for Angel, had just been, well, fabulous. Especially when she had him pinned against that wall. Too bad she didn't have a plastic stake. And she had removed *his* marks, effectively cutting him off from her completely. Spike smiled, savoring the memory. Couldn't blame her, son or no son, Angel should have know better than to deal with the devil. Didn't over two hundred years of evil teach the big brooding idiot anything?


Seeing his Buffy again had been a shock. She looked beautiful, better than he'd remembered. He so long to grab her and hold her. Tell her that he still loved her. Couldn't help but wonder, how she felt bout him, after all this time. Maybe 4 years for her, but to him it was only yesterday that she'd had whispered those three sweet little words. Yeah, sure, she'd thought he'd be going to the big fiery beyond, never to return, but he wouldn't let that stop him from cashing in on the phrase.

It was the bit about Dru that had Spike really bothered. Not so much that he had turned Connor, although he felt pity for the boy (Damn soul), but also because Buffy had said she was after her. Maybe she was, if Dru convinced herself that Buffy was to blame for his.. demise, then she might launch a vendetta.

But Spike wasn't gone...Not anymore, and Dru was easily distracted. If he could get to her. Than he could convince her to lay off Buffy, and go on to her next delusion of the month, like turning poodles and trying to coax em' to fly or something. He knew now that Angel was on the look out for them, but he had to reach Dru himself. Preferably before she caused Buffy any harm. Still, if he called Dru off after she took care of the boy...

''No! Damn. Can't do that to her. Don't want her in pain.' Spike really resented his soul, and not for the first time.

"Least one of us should be happy." he mused.

Who was this ponce that Buffy was working so hard to protect anyway?
price of a game by emilyo
Somewhere else in California.

The small boy crept along the corridors of the building looking anxiously around. He was good at this game, and he knew it wouldn't be long before he sought her out of the place here she had hidden. They had snuck off as soon as the adults were occupied, and went on an exploration, which quickly turned into a game of hide and seek in the lower levels of the compound. They weren't suppose to be here. Secret stuff went on here, stuff his mommy wouldn't tell him. He'd only been down here once before, when he'd convince his uncle to give him a look the holding cells. The ones where they kept the bad people, or just the people they didn't want wandering around on their own. He wondered if he got caught here, would his mommy put him in one?

"Someday, your mommy's gonna sell you to the gypsies, you keep it up". That's what his aunt Dawn had said to him once before, on a day he'd been particularly naughty. He wonders if that's possible.

'No way!', he think's, 'Mommy loves me too much', but still... He's getting afraid now. His uncle always told him that his actions had..consequences.. That was the word. It meant sometimes you had to pay for the things you'd done wrong, even if it was only meant as a game. Maybe they should stop this game and go back. Before someone finds them missing. Before the price of this game got too high.

He takes off in a run now. 'Gotta find her and go back', he thinks. He's looking wildly around and doesn't notice that a shadow has come out before him. He smacks, full force, right into the new presence in the hall.

His mind ablaze's with feelings not his own, *Fear* *Anger* and a host of other emotions too strong for his young mind to comprehend, all coming at him in rapid succession. He can't stop the thoughts, and he's caught unprepared. He knows this person, has felt him before. He doesn't like him, not him, or his son. Another image begins to rise in his mind. One of a monster with glowing eyes and white hair, it flashes, quickly, too quickly for him to grab hold of it, before it gets dissolved in the multitude of other thoughts. His breathing quickens. The contact is too long; too strong; too unbidden. He feels faint. The strong arms catch him and hold him tight. William stuggles slightly evan as he falls and is gently lowered to the floor, the contact thereby breaking. The boy manages to peer up at the man's face staring down at him.

"Hello Mr Wood." William muttered before he blacked out.
paying the price by emilyo
Buffy ran quickly down the hall to the infirmary, to her son. 'Got to see if he's alright. Please let him be alright , so that then I can kill him'.

He knows better than to wander off. Especially here, ..and now. But there he went, wandering off, not telling anyone. 'God, ' she thought, 'Sometimes I just don't know how to get through to him. He has to learn there are prices to pay for these things."

She's angry, very angry, but as she burst through the doors, she sees him, lying on the table, his skin ashen, and sickly white. Very soon anger is replaced by worry and love. He looks so small and helpless lying there. She knows he's weak. and that he's thrown up. It's the way it always is. The magic simply too intense for such a little body to handle. He'll grow out of it they assured her.

'Yeah, if he makes it that long'

She ignores everyone else in the room and rushes to her son's side, his eyes are closed, but quickly open as she draws near. He probably sensed her as she rushed in. He always can. Looking up at her, exhaustion and illness filled his sad face. "Oops, ...sorry mommy.", he mutters.

With tears in her eyes, Buffy could only scoop up her poor son into a hug.

'He sufferers enough. The price is already is too high." She thinks.
old soldiers by emilyo
A few hours later after a stern talking to both William and Mithril, Buffy is finally ready to take her son home when he appears in the room. Her son immediately stiffens, and pulls tight against her.

"He doesn't like me, I can feel it," He whispers, and she knows it is partly true, but she doesn't admit it. Instead she pulls William close and addresses the new occupant of the room.

"Hello Robin, Willam don't you want to thank Robin for helping you today?" Buffy said.

"Thank you Mr Wood" he says quietly. She feels his hand tighten in her's, and he begins to sweat. His eyes are wild with anxiety. All the while Robin simply stands and stares quietly.

"Well. Your welcome.... William." the name, getting stuck in the older man's throat. "I hope Mommy explained to you, that now is not a good time to be wandering around on your own" He said, a little too gruffly.

Seeing the boy shrink further, Robin cursed himself. 'Just a boy. A little boy' he tried to remember.
He kneels down and looks into the child's blue eyes and softens:, "It isn't safe, and we all want to keep you safe."

"Yes sir" the boy spoke quietly.

"Dawn, Xander, take Wills to the car, I'll be along in a sec" His mommy said.

"Yeah. "Let's go blondie" muttered Xander, he shot Wood a look of warning. He was none too impressed that Wood has found Will first, and the look on his face held all the meaning of 'Stay the hell away from my Godson', on it.

"Yeah, kay, Let's go Xander" her sister coaxed, "Come on ya little trouble maker" She teases William, and leads the boy out of the room, with Xander close behind. Xander his eyes never leaves Robin's as he ushers the nervous boy outside. Buffy couldn't help but notice how William only begins to relax when he crosses the threshold of the door.


She turns an icy glaze, full of contempt onto the man in front of her. She totally pissed off as she clutches in her hand, a drawing, one of William's, freshly done today. Not that she's not thankful to Robin for helping her son, but he let his feelings rise up too close to the surface, and William had suffered for it.

"So, How's he doing? Better I guess" Robin asked cautiously, avoiding her eyes He couldn't help but notice her glare.

"A little, you see this" and she held out the drawing. It was blurry, fuzzy, shakily done, but its subject was unmistakable. A familiar slicked hair vampire leapt off the page and stared at them both.

"Buffy", he began guiltily

"Don't," She warned, "Just don't, You know better than this. I know how you feel about him, but what happen to your mother is not his fault. Yet, you keep blaming him, and he knows. Well, not, KNOWS, knows, but he can sense it. You know he can. You have to try harder to stomp on these feelings." "These imagines", She held up the paper to accent her point,. "When around him."

"I know, I Know, he's just a little boy, innocent in all this. And I try!! It's not like I don't get it. I mean Faith was certainly no saint, and if anyone every tried to hold Nicky for all that she'd done. I'd take that guy out and rip him a new one. It's just....He looks at me with his father's eyes." Robin explained looking away as his was voice failing.

Buffy didn't know how to respond. She looked at him, saw al the old wounds, still fresh on his face and began to soften. Casualties of war, that's what they all were. Still trying to overcome the pains of the past. Still trying to mend the pieces of their shattered lives.

"Thank you, for what you did for him today. Maybe you and Nick should come over before you head back east. The kids could play or something. You could have dinner with us all, catch up."

Robin looked at her and sighed, "That's generous, Buffy, really. But I'm just here to get some new orders and head back. Nick's not even in town. I left him back east with a friend. The kids...They don't have much in common. I'm raising my son away from all of this.," He said with a wave of his hand, "Yeah I stay, and try because I owe it to my mother, but Nick isn't like William. He's just an ordinary kid. He's not meant for this kind of life, and that's okay with me. Just like it's okay for you that Wills gonna grow up to be the next Dumbledore or something."


'Dumbledore?' Buffy laughed "Sirus, is more like it. He's William's favorite. He's always saying that he wants a godfather like that, and was very upset when that guy got killed off. In fact he claimed that only a double rich chocolate turbo sundae could ease his pain."
She smiled letting Robin in on her joke. When she saw him chuckle and return the grin, she came over and gently hugged this man. An old friend and comrade in arms. "We're here if you need us." She said, " You'll always have friends, and home here. You, and Nick."
The man simply nodded, and silently returned the embrace.
quick recovery by emilyo
After leaving Robin, Buffy wasn't expecting to catch up to her family so fast. She felt and heard William before she saw him. There he was laughing, smiling. All evidence of his previous fear and sickness gone. He was grinning happily and joking in the arms of a man Buffy knew well. Well not WELL well, but not a stranger either.

Dawn and Xander stood close by. Xander looked...Unpleased.

"Mommy!" he cried scrambling out of the man's arms and running to her "Mommy look what Ryan got for me!!" He happily waved around the ugliest doll Buffy had ever seen. It had two heads, scaly black skin, bulging eyes, and a forked tongue.

"And watch this" he announced as he pressed a button on the back . The 4 eyes bulged and the forked tongue popped out and quickly retracted back. William giggled gleefully.

Buffy's eyes bulged, 'How attractive' she though ruefully, as she stood there and tried to put on her best 'that's nice' grin.

Ryan stood there, a little embarrassed. He was good looking enough. Light brown hair and eyes. Fit, but not overly muscular. He was wearing a plain light blue shirt, with the top two buttons open, and a plain pair of brown trousers.

"Its a Timbros demon." He said, smiling shyly, "Ya know from that new movie Mutant enemies from the front. Thought maybe me you and Wil..."

Xander quickly cut Ryan off , "William and I are going this weekend, but thanks for the offer." The look on Xander's face said anything but thanks.

"Why is uncle Xander mad?" William whispered to him mommy.

"Shh, its okay baby. He's not mad." Buffy whispered back.

Dawn tried to intervene, "Hey, who's hungry for Mr pizza?"

"Oh me me! Pizza! Pizza! Onion rings! Onion Rings!" William shouted while jumping up and down, frantically raising and waving his hand.

"Hey! Hey! me me." Buffy said while trying to calm her hyperactive son. "So Great. It's to be a chock full of fried goodness for dinner." Buffy smirked, but she knew she'd give in. Mr pizza was William's favorite place.

"PLease Mommy!" he begged. "Ryan can come too."


"We'll go baby, but I think Ryan might be busy." She said as she look up, noticing that Ryan's face had ballooned from hopeful to deflated in the span of ten seconds.
"Dawn take Will to the car now please. I'll be right there." Buffy asked.

William hugged Ryan goodbye and thanked him again before Dawn managed to drag him and a rightly annoyed Xander out to the car.

This left Buffy alone to face Ryan.

"Ryan, "Buffy began

"No, hey. Its okay." He said quietly, "I may overstep the boundaries of friendship. Just thought William would like the movie, and the doll."

"Action figure" she automatically responded.

"Huh?" He asked.

"William doesn't own dolls. Dolls are for girls. He is very adamant about this. Mithril has dolls. He has action figures." Buffy explained.

"Oh. Okay. Good to know." He said looking a bit confused

"He's very....fond of you. And that is something cause my boy generally does not like men who..." Buffy stopped, wide eyed and slightly embarrassed. The blush was radiating heat across her face.

Ryan blushed a little in return, "I like him too. Both of you, in fact. I just thought.. I don't know.. We could all get the chance too know each other better."

Buffy hated the hopeful look that crept across his face again. 'Damn, I'm tired of being heart-breaker girl'
'Maybe I should ware a burlap sake and a bag over my head from now on. No. Then I'd probably just attract some guy with a *Mrs potato head * fetish. she smiled a little at her own joke.
When she saw him smile, she quickly squashed her amusement.
"Look. I'm.. Flattered...But.."

"No" He stopped her," I get it. Besides no sentence that begins like ends well. Its okay". He smiled again, but it was a sad smile.

"I need to be there for my son now." She explained softly, not wanting to hurt him., "He needs me. All of me. And I owe it to him."
"To both of them.", she added quietly , more to herself than Ryan

But Ryan had heard the utterance and saw the lost look on her face. He saw a women was surrounded by a ghost. The ghost of the man who had fathered her child, haunted her. Probably almost literally. William sure didn't resemble Buffy, which left little conclusion as to whom he did get his looks from

"Well. I'm not going anywhere. Maybe. Someday.?" he asked, hopefully.

"Maybe"

Ryan was on Buffy's mind all night. All through the ride to dinner. All though the food and games at Mr Pizza, and continuing onto the ride home. Everyone had noticed her mood, but left her to herself. They'd learned long ago that it was best for her, (and less painful to them), to let her work out things out on her own.

As Buffy tucked her young son , she noticed the newest prized possession clutched in his hand.

She gently took it from him and looked it over. "Does this..hideously ugly thing, have a name?", she asked holding it up warily with two fingers

"Craglin, keeper of the under dept's." William explained.

"Perfect," she grimaced at it, "Cause every 4 year old boy needs a dept keeper."

"Uh huh." He yawned.

"William, sweetie. Do you like Ryan?" She asked hesitantly.


"Yeah he's cool. I like em."

A beat. Buffy wondered if maybe she should try again. That was, of course until William added... "But I don't want him to live with us...Or be my Daddy."

'Whoa ho ho.' ' Where did this come from?' she thinks,

"William. " she said calmly, " Why would you say that?"

"Ryan thinks too loud" Her son explained "He won't be my new daddy will he?"

"No! .. No, Not if that's not what you want." She said.

"I don't" He said firmly. He looked thoughtful, and hesitated before he spoke.
"Daddy's in heaven with Grandma right mommy?"

"Uhhmm. Right." Not exactly a lie. He could be. He saved the world.. Right?

"And with Mithril's daddy?"

"Uhh Yeah" Okay, lie there. Mithril's real daddy was certainly not in heaven. His destination was probably much..Warmer..

"And they can't come back..Right.?" he asked

"That's right baby" she choke, trying hard to stomp on her emotions, keeping the tears at bay.

"That sucks" He stated.

"Yeah it doe..s".
'Whoa .. Wait ..what?'
"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!!"

"I said that sucks.. Really sucks." He pouted.

It was the sadden look on his face that kept her even remotely calmed. That and the feeling that he didn't seemed to realize what he had said.
"William.."she began calmly, "Where did you hear that word from?"

"Aunt Dawn. She says it a lot."

'Dawn. God. She is so dead'. "William, Baby. You can't say that word.. Ummm ... Sucks.. It is not a nice word. Never ever say it again. Okay."

"Okay mommy." He looked at her. He was still so sad. Too sad for such a little boy.

"Some days it still does though, doesn't it?" He asked as his eyes began to tear.

Buffy grabbed him in cuddled him in her arms as he cried for the father that he would never know. 'Oh god'.
How could she ever make this right? How would she explain his father to him? All that he was, and went through...For them? How..How could she look into her son's eyes..Eyes so like his..And explain to her son. How she treated his father? How horrible she had been to him. How would she explain the way that she had both loved...and hated...His daddy?

"Yes it does baby. Some days, It really does suck." She began. "Shh it's okay." "Let it out. Just remember that mommy...And daddy...Love you."More that all the moon and starts in the sky."

Buffy just hoped that, that explanation would be enough. For now.
keeping status quo by emilyo
We're here, at your disposal. Anything you want. Whatever you need of us", the man was rushing to say as he was being literally thrown out the door onto his ass.

"I need answers. I need for you people to get up off your asses and find my son and bring him here. A multi-billion dollar evil organization, with ties to almost everything can't find a pair of vampire's??", and with that Angel launched the flunky into the hall.

"Don't throttle the messenger Angel"

'Eve', he thought, "What the hell do you want, Haven't you and your *Bosses* caused enough damage. I told you already, your time and the partner's time is running out. Almost three years its's been, and your no closer to getting Connor than back at day one. I don't know why I don't say screw you all, and burn this place to the ground."

"Because than you'll never get your son back" Eve answered.

"How do you know? I can get him back on my own. I can curse him with the soul myself" He growled.

"If you truly believe that," Eve began, keeping her voice carefully even, "Then why don't you walk out that door right now?"

'Why don't I...I," Angel suddenly couldn't figure out why. Something deep inside him was screaming, he could barely hear it, but it was there. Screaming that it's a trap, and, he needs to get out, get everyone out and run, but he can't. The voice is urgent, but so small, so small now that it barley registers in his conscious mind.

"I think it's this slayer, that has gotten you all worked up,". Eve whispered "She's got a secret."

"Secrets, " Angel muttered, eyes half closed.

"Yes, she's hiding something. Something important. Something we need to get to, before they do."

"We need to get...."

Just then Angel stopped, and blinked and shook his head. "Sorry", he muttered, "Now what is the news?" he demanded

"Connor," Eve explained quickly, "The new reports say that they are not working alone, A powerful force has joined with them, and is blocking our attempts to get to them."

Angel shook his head suspiciously, "Who would want to bother with a couple of vampire's, there are plenty of vampire's in the world. I don't get it."

"Come on now Angel, "Eve said sweetly, "Dru and Connor, are, well, special. We both know that, and a powerful enough force, could use them to their advantage. Connor is young and full of rage, and Dru is well, Dru. Someone is probably, trying to brew up another apocalypse. It has been a while since the last one"

Angel began to absorb this information, "Pull out all the big guns. Anyone you have to, any kind of magic, white,.. black,... brown,.. purple. The whole God damn rainbow if you have to. Just bring them in".

"You got it", Eve smirked and began to leave the room.

"Oh and Eve, Kill anyone that gets in the way" Angel added

"Your the boss"she smiled, and left the office.

Once the door was closed, Eve headed straight for her own office, closed the door, and collapsed in relief.

'Damn', It was getting harder and harder to control him. Damn the slayer, she planted seeds of doubt in Angel's mind and all their work was slowly becoming undone. He's trying to think for himself again. Eve couldn't let that happen. 'Not now,'she thought, not when she was so close to her goal. Angel needs to be kept nice, and calm, and under control.

Dru had been a loose cannon. She was suppose to get Connor for their side, as more leverage against Angel, until the plan could be finalized. But instead she was led astray. Reopen the hellmouth, who'd want to do that? Bad for business. They had no intention of letting this First or even a Second or what ever, call the shots. They were going to call the shots now, with her riding high as a queen of the night

But they had to tread carefully, Dru and her allies knew too much, and were bent on steeling her prize from her. No, Eve worked too hard for over four years, carefully moving and manipulating people to bend to her will. She didn't want to be a lackey at a law firm forever. If her plan succeeded, then she would have real power. She could put her puppets at the helm, and the world would be laid at her feet. The time was close when she could strike, plans were in motion. She just had to hold on, be patient. Soon, they'd had everything they'd need to bring Wolfram and Hart into the next generation.
stress relief by emilyo
Mexico.
Crack!!
Another broken demon body hit the cavern wall.

"The rest of you!! OUT OF MY SITE!!

The minions scrambled to escape the wraith of their *Queen*.

The witch was aggravated today, as she looked around her. Stuck in a dank dirty whole in a god-forsaken part of the world. The furnishings and what not that the minions had brought in did litter to appease her. She'd sent most of them away. After torturing and than killing a few of the slackers of course. But even the bloodshed had left her..Unsatisfied. This was not a place fit for a Queen. She was board to death and tired of waiting for her glorious future to begin. Three months. Three little months more, and she will be victorious. Than all that is rightfully hers shall be bestowed. The whole world., in fact.


Of course, it didn't help that Dru was in one of her moods again today. Whining and moaning and carrying on for her *Poor Knight*. The witch wanted to stake her right then and there, But, she held her annoyance. If it wasn't foretold that this vampire was the only way to get to the boy, she'd had turned her to dust months ago.


"Conner" , The witch bellowed. "If you do not want to be sweeping up your *Mother*, than you'd better get her out of my sites.

"You won't do anything." He smiled a feral smile, letting his eyes glow yellow," You need us to get the boy. And the boy to get..HIM."

"I am the profit of the great one. I NEED NOONE!." She hurled a stake threw the air.

The young vampire caught it effortlessly, just inches from his heart. "You'll have to do better than that." He grinned.

"GET THEE OUT OF MY SITE"

Connor chucked again. He was a vampire. Son of Angelus. Raised in a demon dimension and taught to kill from birth. This little witch didn't phase him. He only relented when he caught site of his Dru. For her sake, he carried her from the chamber, ignoring the witch's sneer.

Outside in the cavern, he barked to a minion to bring the witch a nice tasty treat. One of the younger ones.
A little brushing of tender flesh and a good fuck will take the edge off the witch. She be back to her obnoxious sanctimonious self in no time. She just needed to release some..tension. Hell knows she didn't get it enough.

Connor himself didn't care about any of this. He didn't care about the first taking over the world, He'd lived in hell before Yet, he kinda liked this world. People were so much tastier that demons. Plus you had the benefits of cable. How can you go wrong with that?
It was his dark goddess that begged him to stay. She had saved him. Brought him out of the lie that was his life, and taught him the sweetest pleasures imaginable. He loved his dark goddess. Besides his short time with Cordy, she was the only real family he had ever know. The only real love he had ever had, and he would follow her till the ends of the earth. Nothing was too good for his Dru.

"Connor, my love. My little prince." Dru crooned.

"I'm here Mother."

"Is it time yet to get my dark Knight? Is it time yet to hurt them?" she asked.
Connor cringed. *Him* Again. Would he ever fully have his mother's love? How would he always have to share it with her other *son*?

"Soon Mother." He smoothed back her hair, and began to pepper kisses along her neck.

"OOOO" Baby wants to play?" Come to me my little prince. My devoted childe. We'll show them all soon. The witch thinks she has us, but she is wrong. Soon we will leave this place and be a family again. The four of us. Mummy, My knight, My prince, and My little Bright Shinning Boy. One happy family."

She smiled and reached down and squeezed Connor's now very hard erection.

"MY goddess" Please let me my beautiful one. Connor's eyes pleaded. They glowed yellow as he straddled her begging her for attention.. Kissing and sucking on her neck, he grinded himself into her hands. His claws were digging roughly into her flesh. Scratching, tearing and ripping, causing his goddess to moan in pleasure.

"Take me my childe." she finally relented.

Connor was lost in a haze of lustful violence as he began to shred her clothing from her body.
He hurriedly discarded his own as her watched her lying naked. Already sporting bruses and scratches from their foreplay. She was beautiful, his dark goddess. Pale and sleek and smooth. Perfect

"Mother,", He whispered reverently waiting for permission.

"Come to Mummy my son," she finally consented.

He entered her roughly taking no time to pause to prepare her. The dryness of her pussy scraped along his hard cock making him cry out in ecstasy. He heard his goddess moan and snarl underneath him this drove him further into a haze of lust. Drusilla's claws dug into the naked flesh of his ass as Connor mercilessly fucked her. He sped up his pace. Harder and faster. Hurting , bruising, clawing at any flesh he could reach. Drawing blood that dripped slowly but steadily onto the red sheets below. The pain made Dru squeal in delight and she commanded him for more. This is what Connor loved. The rush he got as he thrust in and out of his Goddess, giving them both pleasure and pain. This is the time he felt, powerful..
Too soon he felt his goddess shudder around him. He tried to hold off. He continued pounding and pounding into her. Using up all her juices until she was dry and raw around him once more. Her naked dry flesh tearing into his cock with each stroke. Still he ruthlessly dove in further and harder, stripping her skin from the inside with each painful thrust of his cock. It wasn't until he felt her fangs pierce his neck that he was forced to let himself go. He climax with such force that he clawed a wound in the skin of her back,blooded flowed freely down from her as he filled her dry channel with his cold seed.

"I love you..Mother." he gasped

"Yes my childe. And I you."

Connor had drifted off first. Sated. Drusilla watch her sleeping childe. These interludes were pleasant enough. But the childe did not have the ruthlessness that was Angelus. Nor the imaginative *talents* that were her William. She smiled and hummed to herself. Soon she would have at least one of her men home.
dreams by emilyo
Since becoming a vampire, Connor generally had sweeter dreams than that of his human days. Maybe because now he truly knew something about passion, lust, power. Usually his dreams were filled with the delights that he and his dark goddess visited regularly, but tonight..

Tonight he was back home. Home at the moment being his childhood one of Quortoth. The harshness of the hell echoed all around him and he felt a sense a dread that he hadn't felt since his childhood.

"This isn't what we wanted for you. This isn't why I sacrificed myself."

Connor recognized the voice, she had visited him once before. He turned to faced her.
"Mother. So good to see you again, but couldn't you have chosen a better place for a reunion? The Ritz in Monte Carlo perhaps?"

Darla approached her dead son with tears in her eyes. She raised her hand and gently cupped his face. "Oh Connor. Baby I'm so sorry. I didn't want this for you. We didn't want this for you. We both tried so hard. Baby I wish things could have been different. I wish.."

"Don't.." Connor warned. "Don't bother. I don't wish things were different! I'm happier than I've ever been, especially when I was alive. I finally have love and truth in my life. Instead of living lies". Connor looked at her with disgust in his eyes.

"Your father did what he thought was best...He loves.."

"Oh please don't give me the *he did it for love speech*. Makes me want to hurl. You know even when I was living that *brady bunch* life that dad created for me deep down I knew it was a lie. I always knew I was different. I tried to hid it because I didn't want to hurt my paren...them, but deep down I knew. I always felt different." Connor looked away from his mother's sad eyes.

"What do you want from me?" He asked, "why did you bring me here? Did you think you could save me now!?"


"Oh Connor", Darla sighed, "I wish I could. I wish I could change things for you. Give you back your life. Your childhood. Make it so you never had to set eyes on this horrible place." She said as she scanned the bleak horizon. "But I can't baby. It's not in my power."


Darla thought Connor almost looked disappointed for a moment.

"Good.", He said, "I don't need saving. I don't need you or anyone else. I have all that I will ever need. I have Dru."

Darla took a deep breath. She wouldn't argue with him about Drusilla. She couldn't. Her mission was not to separate Connor from Drusilla, but to actually keep him there. She couldn't save him. The only one who could redeem Connor now..was himself.

But no one had said that she couldn't..encourage him..in the right direction.

"This isn't about saving you Connor. My beautiful Connor. This is about another boy. Another boy that needs saving."

Connor gave her a sharp look "You mean the prize!! You expect me too...

"I don't expect anything Connor", Darla said softly, "You have to make your own decisions. We all do. I'm just trying to tell you that it doesn't have to be this way. Another little boy does not need to be lost to this." She said, with a sweeping of her arm. "He can be saved."

"I don't know what you want from me," he spat. "Drusilla wants this! She need this! I won't take her prize from her."

"He isn't some prize, Connor. He's a little boy. A little boy with a hoard of people trying to tear at him, wanting to use him and than toss him away like a piece of trash. A little boy very similar to what you once were. All I am asking is that you just, see him. Just remember...
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Connor woke up with a start, his mother never getting to finish her dream message. He looked over at his Dru, sleeping peacefully beside him. He loved her. He could never go against her. His mother was wasting her time. Why did she have to come and torment him. Why couldn't she go off and haunt his father.

Connor closed his eyes and tried to go back to sleep. Hopeing that he wouldn't have to see his mother's stricken face again. Hopeing that no more dreams would come.
dream2 by emilyo
She descended the stairs slowly, warily. She knows he's there, she feels him. She doesn't know exactly what he's gonna say, when she makes her intentions known. The hour is late now, or early, depending on how you look at it, and they can no longer hold off the impending doom. It flows in like a turbulent tide that destined to sweep them all from the landscape, and as the moon sets, and the sun threatens to rise, she knows that the hour of their end ebbs closer and closer. For one way or another, it will be the end. Even if they live, one existence will be over, and another will begin in the aftermath.

She doesn't know what the future will hold for any of them. If they live though this, can they ever really survive it? Can all the hurt and upset, the pain and misery, the fear, and betrayal, be forgotten? How can they, any of them move on from this? Where can they truly go from here.?

She sees him now, he is sitting on the cot, trying out his new shiny toy. It is around his neck and he's turning it over in his hands, feeling the power that is radiating from it.

"Accessorizing for the apocalypse I see" She teases.

"Oh well yeah, Gotta see if the great poof's got a nice little scarf to go with it. Maybe he's got a new career at hand. Fashion consultant for the helmouth and such." he's smiling, God his smile can warm her heart, even on the coldest darkest of days.

Again she can't believe the extent of her feeling, her trust, her tenderness for this man in front of her. The one person who's become her light in the darkness. Who stood by her every decision. Never judging or scrutinizing , just supporting and comforting, with words, with actions, with holding her these past few night, and making her feel not so alone. The one person who has never cut her off or walked away. She doesn't deserve his love. She realizes that now. All he's been though, done for her, and is still willing to do. She doesn't deserve it, but she wants it. Needs it.

She wants to tell him this. Convey to him the dept of her feeling, her pride in him, her gratitude, her devotion. But she just can't Things are too uncertain, and she's been bottled up, cut off so deep for so long now. So drained of emotion that she doubts she even has any left for herself. It's been so long since she truly allowed herself to feel anything. What she does have she's borrowed from him. She's like a parasite she realizes, sucking off him strength, his love; just to fill her own cold stoned heart. She called him dead, but she'd the one who died, in her heart, long ago.

But this night, this last night before their world changes forever, she wants to feel.. for him, She wants to break though the wall surrounding her heart and let the flood of feelings flow. Let them both drown in a river of emotions. The past is gone, the future, coming too soon. It is the now she wants. And it is with him, that she wants it.

He stands. He's watching her, slightly puzzled, slightly worried. She know he's wondering what going on in her head. He can't tell anymore, and she's slightly deflated by that. He used to be so good at judging her moods, her needs. But she's battered him too many times. Sent him mixed signals, one minute needing, the next minute berating. So now he sits there, warily, wondering what she has in store for him.

"Everything's set and ready to go, but we still have a few hours...." She takes his hands into hers and slowly, carefully leads them both to the cot. He follows silently.

She lies down and encourages him to spoon beside her, she can feel his cool powerful arms come around her, safe and comforting. It is the closest to home that she has felt in a long long time.

They lie there together in quiet for what seemed like years, she shifts herself, and snuggled closer to his body, her bottom coming dangerously close to his groin, and she can't help but wonder what he is feeling. Does he still desire her? Would he still want her if she asked? He hasn't made any attempt in that direction since he came back, and she can't help but wonder if he is afraid? Or merely disinterested, now that the soul had made him more man than monster. Maybe it was the monster than wanted her all along?; .. not the man.?

She decided to press her luck and snuggled further into him aligning her rounded ass to rub just up against his groin. She hears slight whimper escape his lips, and feels him stiffen, (in more ways than one), He then suck in a slow unnecessary breath, trying to calm himself.
They lie there, again un speaking. She slowly turns herself to look at his face, a thousand different emotions are mirrored in his eyes... Love Lust, Longing, but most of all.. Fear.. He looks so afraid, it melts at her heart. She wants to reassure him, hold him like a babe and cuddle him, Let him know there is nothing to fear from her.

She lowers her gaze to the amulet, still around his neck, she reaches out and touches it, and is surprised to feel that it is slightly warm. The heat seems to increase as she traces it with her fingers. He just watches her warily, still wondering what is in her mind.

She breaks her gaze on the amulet and looks into his eyes while moving one hand up to caress his cheek, and the other to caress his chest. She then speaks to him, judging her words, "I don't want to talk about the future, and I don't.. want to go over the past. I really don't want to talk about anything. I just want this night to be about us, here and now. Make love to me William."

He barely registered her words, he is too stunned by her nearness, by the closeness of her body, resulting in the painful erection he now has. Then those words, those simply stated words.. He's not sure if he heard her right, He must not have. It's too much, something he's never dreamed that he would get to have again He lies there frozen, unable to respond.

She senses his fear. Sees it in his eyes, and decides she to take control, reassure him, convince him. She reaches her hand behind his head and pull him into a gentle kiss.

He feels her, her lips on him, her tongue beginning to teasing him, urging him to slide his own into her mouth, touching her, tasting her. Oh God!! to be this close to her again, feeling her. Feeling her lips on; him her body next to him. Her taste, Her touch
Her scent. He is fueled by her, for her.

She breaks the kiss, breathing heavy, trying to catch her breath. She turned to face him now, and all other concerns drifts away. She lets his mouth devour hers again and again. All he can feel is the desire rising, and he is drawn to her, like a moth to a flame he draws closer to her, wanting to be burned by her, wanting to melt into her heat, her fire. Oh.. Burn me baby... Burn me.. He feels he will begin to turn to ash any second by the intensity of her, she singes him, but he's gotta have more. He craves it. Craves her.. PLease... gotta have.. more....He pleads silently. He begins to grind his hardness against her. He hears her moan and whimper his name, and he burns even more for her. He has never wanted anyone or anything so much ever. He's so hard for her now. His erection so painful, he feels that it may burst through his jeans any second. He begins to tremble under her touch and feels her hands traveling over him his chest. Pulling off the amulet and laying it gently aside, she gently removes his tea shirt. Her hands continue to caress his chest before it travels down, pausing only slightly to graze his nipples before descending lower. They move across his abdomen, and latch onto the buttons of his jeans.

She looks at his face, as she unbuttons him, his eyes tightly shut. He's scared to death that if he moves, speaks, that the dream will be broken. So he lies still, quietly trembling from her touches.

Her heart goes out to him and she caresses him, easing him, willing him to open his eyes and look at her.

She wants him see her, feel her, but understands if he can't. She pauses for a moment to move up and bring her hand to caress his cheek pulling him into another kiss. It is broken only to allow her to breathe, she looks at him again and caresses his face. He wills himself to open his eyes.

His looks at her. She is so lovely, and the fear is slowly being replaced by intense desire. Always, is the look of love and devotion on his face. His eyes are glued on her, mesmerized, as he watches her slowly remove her clothing and lie naked before him.

"So beautiful", he manages; finding no other words to describe his goddess. There are no words to describe her. Carefully, hesitantly, he begins to caress her. Her face, her neck, slowly working his way down to cup her breast, playfully arousing her. Soon he is carefully licking and sucking at her nipple lovingly. She clings to him. Instantly responding to his gentle ministrations, she moan and whispers,word of encouragement. She begins to run her hand across his body. She wants to touch him. All of him. Anywhere, Everywhere. She reaches the point of his erection and begins to slowly rub him. She hears him groan and shiver beneath her touch. He's trembling. For her. Always for her.

Quickly she begins to try and remove his jeans and soon he is helping. They manage to remove they impeding piece of clothing and she wraps her hand around his girth, sweetly stoking him His moans increase in frequency as his need grows greater. He needs her. He almost came undone at the first touch of her delicate fingers on him. God, he Needs her. He can smell her arousal and it is driving his insane. His hands slide down to her wet heat, and slowly parts her lips, finding her sensitive nub.

'So hot, soo wet, for me. For me' All for me. Mine'. Lovingly, he begins to worship her, bringing her overwhelming pleasure.

Ohh God', she thinks, but she can only allow a sensual moan to escape her lips. They've spoken few words since they started. No words are needed. None are strong enough to describe the sensations they are experiencing How has she been able to live without his touch? How will she again. 'No don't go there. Think of today' She is so lost in a haze of passion that she didn't realize he had slid down until the first touch of his tongue on her
sensitive clit. "Ohhmmmyyy."she gasped and arches her hip up into him.

He hears her moan and whimper, and he lets his own groan escape. She taste so good, so sweet. He would gladly bury himself, loosing himself in her forever if she'd let him. He continues his worship of her body, only pausing when he hears her voice moaning his name.
"God, Please. I need you. Please... Now."


She pulls him back up into a searing kiss., tasting herself on his tongue and moaning into his mouth. He responds in kind, deepening the kiss, trying to lose himself in her mouth. She pulls him on top of her and gently begins to position him near her wet center. He breaks the kiss. Shivering, over top of her, he peers down. The fear is returned. He's hesitant. "Luv, y..you sure?"

She begins to kiss him, and launches up onto his erection.

His eyes close to the intensity of the pleasure. He is gasping for unneeded air. He buries his face in her hair, moaning, whimpering."Missed you. M..Miss you so much!"

God to feel him inside her. Every nerve in her body exploded at the very minute of their joining "I missed you too.", She whispers as she arches into him, running her hands up and down his body. Feeling him.

The couple grow distant to the silent observer, swirling around in the mist, getting lost in a haze of incredible pleasures.

Soon the couple dissolved, before the eyes of the dreamer. In its place a dark deep cavern appeared. A familiar sense of foreboding washed over her. The walls of the cave were rupturing, crumpling. Time was running out.

"Now go!"


She looked up, and there he was burning , the fires consuming him, turning him to dust before her very eyes. There was still time, he was in the past, but she retained a clear picture of the present, or is it the future? Is she even really here? She doesn't know, but she has to try.

"No, you have to stop, you have to come with us. You don't understand. You can't leave us."
"I mean it, Gotta do this"

"No," She pleaded, "You Don't understand."

Just then the wall began to desperate again. She looked around confused, but the rumbling of the earth had stopped. She looked up at him again to see him not burning, but whole and bathed in a piecing blue light. She was stunned momentarily, but as she began to regain herself, will herself to speak, she notices a small hand has entwine itself around his.
He stood there, calmly, and then he spoke, "We have to go now mommy"

"NO, no you can't" she pleaded, she begged, tears flowing from her like the rush of a river.
To the man she was desperate. "Please ! Don't take him!.. D..Don't take him from me!"

"Can't be helped pet", He said, gently, "You'll see us again soon"

With that they turned to walk away, but she couldn't let them, wouldn't let them. She lunged for them, only to fall to the ground with not but a fist full of air.

She looked up, and they began to fade, walking still, hand in hand.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"NO" Buffy cried out, as consciousness rushed back to her. She was shaking, the flow of tears still steady on her cheek. She immediately rushed up and ran down the hall to his room. 'A dream, just a dream. only a meaningless stupid dream'. Her heart pounded in her ears as she desperately tried to close the gap between him and her. Finally, she reached his door and burst in.

"William," she gasped.

And there he slept, quiet, peaceful. God. He was beautiful, like a little cherub from heaven, (she could never refer to her son using the *A* word). She walked over, and knelt beside her sleeping child, shaking, still crying silently. Waves of relief rushed though her like a an incoming tide, and she collapsed next to him, hugging him, holding him.

"MMM... Mommy?"

God she woke him.

She tried to compose herself, push her thoughts and fears from her mind, clamp down on them hard, for him. "Hey baby boy. Mommy just came in to see if your okay. No bad dreams or anything. Cause ya know if ya did.. Have one..., Bad Bad dream. You can come sleep with me, in my room, with mommy."

"I'm okay," he said sleepily, and fell silent. After a minute he looked at her, worriedly, and touched her hand, feeling, probing. "You haved a bad dream again." It was a statement, not a question.

"Well," she signed and tried to smile,"Maybe just a little one."

"You wanna sleep in my bed again?" he asked.

"Yes please,"She said, sounding more needy than she intended.

With out another word, she climbed into bed with her son and held him tight, kissing him several times, as he slowly drifted back to sleep. It would be several more hours before she could bring herself to join him. She lied there with him, comforted in the knowledge than not all bad dreams come true, and that he was here...Home..Safe...
Two days later, he was gone.
the night it began by emilyo
January 26, The night it began
L. A.


Nighttime, they sky outside was black, like the moors of England of old. Spike new this blackness, having reveled in it for over a hundred years, but now he felt weary. Exhaustion stirred up inside him and threatened to consume him. He was so tired of darkness, of the reminders of death. Being surrounded by it, trapped in it. His thoughts were slowly destroying him. 'Why couldn't I have been left as I was'. In oblivion. In the pit of nothingness. Least I wouldn't have known any better.

"I've been hanging around the great glooming gorilla, for too long. Startin to think like him. Just as long as I don't start dressing like 'em. Guess I'll be okay." He mummer, into the silence that surrounded him.

Spike hated this part of the day. It was late night. Almost all the staff had gone. No one to bother or bust around,cept for the imbecilic security people. Most of them consisted of moronic demon types, no brains, all bran, show pieces mainly. The other ones were more brainy species of human, more or less. They fiddled with their gadgets and monitors, relying more on their science and metaphysics. All of them seemed to believed that *no one* would dare enter the sacred hall of Wolfram and Hart.

'Ummph', If'in I was all solid again. I'd give 'em a go for it. Stupid daft gits, the lot of em'. Spike knew. He knew that these people had become too comfortable, their tasks. Since Angel and his gang of do-gooding dip-whit's took over, it had grow even worse. Spike had seen things, heard things. When your a ghost, with nary but time to roam around and just listen, you got a feel for things. This place was slippin, and there was dissension in the ranks. And someone was cuttin into it Who he didn't know But whoever they were, they were feeding and fanning the spark of insurrection until the embers began to glow and erupt. Small fragmented slivers were being carved on the surfaces. The wall of the dam were opening up to allow the waters of discontent to soak the earth underneath their very feet. Now it was wet and murky, and almost ready to suck the ground down and everyone unlucky enough to be standing there would be swallowed unto it. They were so sure of themselves in the front line, that they'd left their asses open in the rear. Now they were greased and ripe and ready for a good rodgering. They'll be whimpering and screaming 'who's you daddy' before they even realize who's puttin it to em'. Spike can only wonder if *daddy* Angel will realize how fucked he really was, or perhaps he's into it already. Willing and able, and going for that reach around. Spike can only chuckle at his own analogy.

Still, he'd hate to see that smart girl get it. Or that Gunn guy. He wasn't a bad sort. 'Damn soul' He's started to sound like a bloody poofer. He really had been around Angel too long. These people knew what they'd signed on for. They must. Surly Angel had. He knew evil, and this place reeked of it. Maybe the great moping mop had finally become so full of himself that he actually thought he could control these malignant bastards. If he did, he was a bigger fool that Spike thought. Or maybe Angelus was back, taken over, the great glum finally givin in to demon. Or maybe Angel just simply didn't give a shit anymore. Who knows. Spike could care less. Least he kept telling himself that. He had his own problems. The most predominant one now, (besides being a spook), was sheer, unadulterated BOREDOM.
.
"What I wouldn't give for a spot of violence," he mused, Shake these lackeys up a bit".
Spike should remember to be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Suddenly blackness flooded the building, as the lights harshly cut out. Spike vampiric eyes adjusted immediately,as he heard running and shouting permeating the atmosphere. None of the alarms or back up gadgets had been initiated. The *brains* of the operation were at a loss. Too long had they sat with one hand up their asses, and the other fondling the night away on their cocks. Now they were panicking and looking to each other for help. 'An inside job', Spike was highly amused now. At least this night promised a bit of fun.

Spike gleefully watch the scrambling and confusion that laid before him. But other than the racket the guards were making it seemed to be strangely quiet. He skulked around cautiously, apprehension getting the better of him. Silently, he wondered what they were after. Course he was entertained by watching the chaos play out in the halls. Guards running around, directionless, clueless, like chickens with their heads cut off. It was bloody glorious.. Within moments, the main hall begin to fill with a cloudy mist. Every occupant of the room began to convulse and fall violently to the ground. 'Huh', Spike thought. "Lucky me. All spookily and therefore ill exposed", he muttered.

"Yes. Today is your lucky day" a voice called.

Spike swung around upon hearing the voice, searching for its source.

The women before him was short, barely five feet tall. Pretty and slim, her hair was red, like blood. Her green eyes flickered toward black and gleamed menacingly at him.

Spike looked at her and chucked. He was the Big Bad. A master vampire. He'd faced beast, monsters from hell itself. And even worse. A brashed off slayer on a pms. Did this little girl think she could intimidate Him?

"Nice trick luv" He smirked, "I've always been one to appreciate an entrance. If you want I could show you around." "Give ya a guided tour so to speak."

"I'm not your love. I am Vashna the Valiant, keeper of the way." she spoke proudly.

Spike stifled a laugh. The girl was too much, really. "Right. Sorry, never heard of you."

Her eyes loomed to black, She spoke angrily, barely controlling her rage."You have my name now, and soon it will be on the lips of all. All will bow at my feet.. All will weep..."

"Take it down a notch Sabrina. I've heard the spiel before. And from bigger badder bloke's than you sweetheart."

"You will.. Live... to regret those words." She hissed.

"Not bloody likely" he chuckled, "Already dead, Twice over in fact. So I'm guessing the tour is off. So I'll just sit by here, watch the show. "

"Well now," he clasped his hands, rubbing them together, still highly amused, "What IS for the main event."

"Funny you should ask," Now it was Vashna's turn to smile. What was in her hand would have been enough to send bolts of fear though Spike's cold dead heart. Provided he still had his body that is.

She held up an amulet... The amulet. The one the great glooming idiot was suppose to have safely tucked away. Leave it to Angel to bollix the job..Again.

These were the thoughts swirling around in Spikes head as the witch muttered a few incantation and waved a quick stroke of her hand.
"Bloody hell," were the last words Spike spoke before he vanished in a ball of glowing blue light; into the amulet.

Vashna, quietly secured the amulet on her person with a smile. She made a small salute the fallen comrades that littered these gallant halls and turned and left the building, meeting no more resistance along the way.

She was met out front by a great black van, no windows on the side, and blackened out front windshields.

The side door flew open and she rushed in.

Once seated inside, she ignored the two vampires in the back, and concentrated on the drivers. "Take off now. The others will get word and come soon enough."

With that, the minions grunted, and sped off away from the building

"Did you get it. Do you have him. My love. My knight?" The dark vampire looked at her with insane excitement.. The younger one simply stared He knew the witch had succeeded. He could smell it. She stank of smugness. Jealousy began to over take him. Connor didn't want to have to compete for his *mother's* affections. Especially not with his father's bastard grandchilde.

The witch triumphantly held the amulet up, "Behold" she said dramatically, "The source of our salvation. Restorer of the way"

"He's stuck in a girl's necklace?" Connor laughed.

"Watch your mouth little boy. This is the key to the great Restoration."

"Yeah Yeah, I care. I should have went in. I haven't killed anything all day", he grumped.

Vashna shot the young vampire an evil look, but Dru put her hand up, indicating that she would handle her childe.

"Shh My precious boy." Drusilla cooed., "Soon as we get settled. We will find you something nice and tasty."

"But for now, we need to go where eyes will not follow. Keep my boys safe. Both you and your sweet brother." Her eyes drifted down to her lap. On it, rested the head of a very unconscious, very small, toe headed boy.

The van continued to speed down the highway, away from L. A. Away from California.
jan 26 earlier by emilyo
January 26. earlier that day.

Two children played happily outside, each trying to outdo the other in their games, when they heard yelling.

"William Giles Xander Summers! In here! Pronto!" The voice yelled.

"What you do now?" the little girl teased her friend.

"Shut up Mithril!" the boy grumped back.

"Ooo!! your not allowed to say that!! I'm tellin." she teased.

William narrowed his eyes and scowled at the girl. She merely smiled and batted her eyes and than skipped away. William grumbled under his breath about *stupid girls* and shuffled inside. His stomach was a mess of nerves. Not so much about Mithril's threat. He knew she wouldn't tell on him. There is an unspoken code between best friends that included no tattling.

It was the tone in his mother's voice that had let him know that he'd just been caught in doing something. It was the something that he was unsure about. The problem was that there had been a few recent *some things*. He wondered which of the *some thing'* was the source of her yelling.
It wasn't like William was..intentionally bad. He just got into quite a few..*accidents*, especially when using magic. Yeah, most of the time when his head told him not to do something, he usually did it anyway. Sometimes, he did things before the thoughts even reached his head! He couldn't help it! His body just reacted before his head could stop him!
Images of the most recent *accidents*, flashed though his brain, one in paticular.

Had she found Ms. Herner's cat? The one he and Mithril *accidentally* petrified? That's what uncle Xander said was the word that meant when something that walked around suddenly turned solid like a rock. They didn't tell him exactly why they had wanted to know how something that was alive turned into a rock. They had just said they saw something on t.v. Uncle Xander explained to them what petrified was. That gave them a new word for the day, but didn't really help them with the cat.

'But..It wasn't their fault.' William reasoned to himself. Mommy had wanted the cat to stay out of her flowers. They were just trying to get the cat to move away without biting either of them! So they tried a little spell to scare it! They didn't' mean to turn it solid! They were trying to help!
After they had done it. They couldn't undo it. So they panicked and had hidden the now solid cat statue in the backyard under some bushes.

'Oh. No.' He thought. It would be a double whammy. No triple. He used magic's when he wasn't suppose to. He tried to cover it up, and he had lied to her when she'd asked him days later if he had seen the cat. If there was one thing mommy hated. It's when he lied.

Slowly he walked into the house and saw her standing there with her arms folded in front of her while she glared down at him. She had the made face on. The really Really mad, mad face on! William knew he was in for it.

Willim stood there for what seemed like years, just watching her glare at him, feeling the anger radiating off her.

Buffy stared at her son. He looked so nervous and anxious and she hated that she was the cause behind those looks, but she felt in her heart that she had to be firm with him. He'd been way reckless lately and Giles was constantly warning her that she was too soft with him. It part, perhaps Giles was right. She just loved him so much that she found it hard to stay angry at him.
But he was only four and if she lost control of him now who knows what trouble he'd be capable of later. He was after all his father's son, and he had his father's habit of not quite thinking things through. A bad habit in Buffy's mind and one she intended to break before it went on any longer.

She watch him fidgeting for a moment longer. "Well William. Do you have something you'd like to tell me?"

William looked around, up in the air, than at his feet. His feet definitely appeared very interesting at the moment and he just stood and stared his dark blue eyes at them. Anything would be better than raising his eyes and seeing her harsh glare.

Finally after several long minutes that felt like years, he answered her, "Umm, nothing I can really...think of...right now.. mommy." he added giving her a most innocent look while still avoiding her eyes.

Buffy gave her son the *Oh really look*. "Nothing? Nothing at all? You sure about that? This is your last chance William.", she warned.

William remained silent and shrugged his shoulders, "I..I can't think of anything."

Buffy frowned and motioned with her hand, indicating for William to follow her. She silently lead him to the back of the house, into the little room off the living room that she used as an office. William wasn't supposed to be playing around in her. It was where Buffy did computer work for the council, and also where she worked on some medical home billing that supplemented the magic shop income.

The room was small filled with just a desk with her computer and her standing lamp. It had bookshelves filled with all sorts of reference book, some on magic. There was a large file cabinet filled with papers and artifacts that she would examine for the council before putting them in the council stores. Nothing in the room had ever been locked up though. Buffy and her son had an understanding that this room was her for work and therefore off limits when she wasn't home. Buffy never imagined that her son would break their agreement..until now.

Buffy stopped in front of her bookcase and motioned to wall beside it. Pinned there was a few of his drawing that he had made for her.
She lifted one up and there hidden under it, as clear as day was a small rounded sized hole penetrating the wall.

'Oh', William thought, 'That.' He remembered that now. He wasn't supposed to come in her, but once when John Russel was over playing he had through William's ball into the room and dared William to go get it. William went in and John Russel followed. While his aunt had been on the phone, obvious to the youngsters, they became fascinated with the magic books.

John Russel, being a couple of years older than William, was a little better at reading. He recited a levitation spell while William tried to perform it with the tennis ball.
Before the boys knew it the ball spun out of control and rammed right into the wall creating the hole. William had panicked and moved one of the pictures his mother had up over the hole. He figured she had so many pinned up, she wouldn't notice if one moved a bit.
Boy was he ever wrong!

Frantically, William tried to come up with something to tell his mother. "Ummm. It was an accident." Yeah that was it!

"Ugh." Buffy moaned in disgust. "Is that the best you can do William? You just accidentally fell into the room. Rummaged though my books, which you know your not suppose to touch, and managed to put a hole though my wall? That was all an accident?"

"But...But.. John Russel.. He said.."

"No, don't even try William. Jezz, if John Russel asked you to jump off the Empire state.. No wait don't answer that. William you know the rules and you chose to break them."

"So, your mad at me?" He asked in a small timid voice.

"William." Buffy said, "I'm more than mad. I'm disappointed. Apparently I can't trust you."

"Oh." He said, tears coming into his eyes. Somehow this seems worse than if she was just mad.

"William, I just don't know..." Buffy began before she was cut off by the buzz of her cell phone.
Buffy glanced at the called I. D. and motioned for William to stay put and stay quiet. She answered the phone and heard Dawn's sightly panicked voice at the other end.

"Buffy!???"

"Dawn! What is it What's wrong!" Buffy answered, fear rising in her voice.

"Nothing. at least. I think it's nothing. I'm not sure if it's nothing or something. I feel.. There seems like.. This thing.. Following me. Only I turn back and it..Just,,Gone..Than I go walking along again..All happy and La La La, and than I feel it again. I don't know if it's nothing or something, but I'm really freaked out and I called to the Council and they said most of the girl are on assignment. Things have been really jumpy today..Demony wise. So that freaked me out some more.."

"Dawn..DAWN!! Don't worry, just stay put. I'll call Willow and Lilia and we'll get over to the dorms pronto. Just let me call around to get someone to watch the kids..Kay?!"

"Thanks Buffy, "Dawn said relieved, "Your the best sister ever."

Buffy hung up with Dawn and turned her attention back to her son.

"Is Aunt Dawn okay?" William asked shyly.

"She'll be fine, "Buffy said a little roughly. "You should be worrying about yourself and the long punishment your going to be receiving."

"But..But mommy," William said with a pout.

"No. Don't give me the pout. I invented that pout. Just go..to your room..I can't..look at you..right now."

William stood their stunned with tears in his eyes..waiting. He waited for her to take that back. For her to tell him that she loved him more that anything, like she always did. But she stood there, unmoved. William had never seen her this upset with him.

Slowly he walked out of the office and than ran up the stairs to his room, crying all the while.

Only when he had left did Buffy let her breath out. Her heart broke at the site of his stricken little face. She wanted nothing more than to run upstairs and comfort him. But she held herself firm. That whole buisness in the coucil building made her decide that had to learn to follow some basic rules. His safety. No his life, could depend on it. She felt she was at a precipice with him and if she gave in now..she'd lose him somehow. No she had to be firm.

No matter how much it hurt them both.
Saved?? by emilyo
Buffy rolled the car up to dooms and threw it into park. A quick call to Dawn had Buffy running to the basement of the dorm room where she meet up with Willow and Livia who had just *popped* in. Teleporting wasn't done often by them. That kind of magic could be hazardous to the user and caused too many fluctuation in the energy fields, but the witches took the risk due to the emergency.

The women quickly found Dawn sitting on a table in the basement laundry room looking a little frazzled.
"There!" she cried as she ran to them. "Did you see that. I think it's over there."

The women immediately began to scan the room. A strange distortion in colors could be seen flickering in the corner by the wall. The distortion seemed to edge closer and then slink back just as suddenly. Lillia gave into a hunch, and a quick revealing spell resulted in a extremely confused looking 8 foot datra demon standing in the laundry room mewling with anguish., a smaller version to itself clutch at it's breast.

As the creature made no attempt to move any closer the women simply stared at it curiously.

"Okay," Buffy said, "What the hell?"

"It..Is it going to...to eat us or something?" Dawn stuttered.

"It's..It's a datra demon, Dawn. Th..they're vegetarian. They usually don't eat people. They usually shy away from popular areas. They are chameleon like, having the ability to blend in with it's surroundings. That's why we couldn't see it until I forced it to show itself. Usually they prefer dense wood or forests. Living off of roots and nuts. Stuff like that." Lillia said, "They don't usually come into towns. Unless their habitat was being destroyed and their food supplies are running low." In fact their the main sources of those creature myths that are floating around. You know, the Yeti, or Big foot, or Sasquatch, of the Jersey Devil..or.."


"I get it." Dawn interjected, "We..Well there are woods behind the school. But it hasn't been destroyed or anything. It's still all upright and with the greenness and everything. So..what does it...want?"

As if hearing Dawn's question the creature began to mewled pitifully, almost sounding like a little lost kitten. Okay, maybe a BIG lost kitten. The little version of itself echoed it's distress.

"Well, It's sure peeved about something" Buffy offered, "So should we just..slay it or something?"

The creature, again seeming to understand that itself was being discussed, protested louder while cradling the younger creature closer to itself.

"We can't just slay it." Willow protested, "The datra's are harmless, and part of the echo system and nature and ..stuff. And it has a baby! We can't just go forward with the slayage!"

"Kay Wil! Jes! Listen, I have a four year old at home in need of a good punishing. Not to mention an ton of vacuuming and laundry to catch up on since it is one of my few days off I get between the slaying and the store and the council. And that thing is getting really loud and I'm sure people are actually going to want to do laundry soon so can we please rap this up?" Buffy babbled nearly never taking a breath.

"Oh really? Punishment time huh? What did William the terrible do now?" Dawn asked.

As Buffy sent Dawn a look of *not now*, Lillia waved a hand over Dawn person and her bag muttering some incantations. Without warning she grabbed Dawns's purse.

"Woah! Hey! Hello! Little privacy please." Dawn squealed.

"It's hear for a reason Dawn. It didn't follow you up here for nothing." Lillia explained, ignoring the yelps of surprise as she dumped out the contents of the extra large purse, a tube of lube and some condoms being amongst the items.

Buffy quickly grabbed said items before Dawn could rescue them. "This is what you carry around in school?, She screamed, "Is this why you live on campus? Who is it? Where is he? Willow you still have that flaying spell? Well grab it out cause we are SO going to need it.."

"Hey I'm over 18 and the guys I'm with are at least ALIVE. I don't go around courting the undead like some TEENS I knew." Dawn argued.

Buffy took that worse that Dawn intended. After all her past..escapades..did result in her son. She always took any criticism of the past as a direct affront against him.
And did Dawn just say Guys? Plural?
Her face turned bright red as she stuttered her argument to Dawn when she was interupted by Lillia's triumphant shout of "A Ha!"

The creatures mewled louder as Lillia pulled out an elongated, curved seemingly wooded rod from Dawn's bag.

"Please! Please Tell me that that's not some kind of Yeti dildo!" Buffy begged.

"EWWW, and no..and that is soOO not mine!!"

Lillia slowly approached the creature and handed it back the object. The little one grabbed at it and started sucking immediately, letting off another round of Eww's from the rest of the women. The Momma datra mewled gratefully before it slinked back into the background and disappeared.

"It's not a sex thing." Lillia quickly explained, "A Mother datra always give birth in a nest. She then uses items in the nest as comfort for the baby as it grows. In this case the Momma seemed to...spray a piece of birch wood with her milk. She was probably using it for the baby for teething. Somehow she thought you stole a precious item from her and her child.", Lillia explained with an absolute straight face.

The other girls stared at her as if said *stick* had just taken root in her forehead.

Dawn was the first to react to the news
"Okay the whole spraying thing again with the EWWW! I mean I had that thing in my freaking PURSE! I had datra milk...stick..thing in my purse! And it was chewed! OH god! I have to burn my purse now." Dawn was freaking out while Lillia rolled her eyes and Buffy and Willow stood staring at them, Both looking kind of grossed out.

"Dawnie? What were you..doing with it? Did you pick it up..somewhere? Out walking maybe?" Willow asked.

"I don't generally stuff stick coated with demon juices in my PURSE! So I soo wasn't doing anything with it!" Dawn yelled a bit loudly.

"Dawn please try to calm down!" Lillia said.

"CALM DOWN!? Some one stuck demon juice stick in MY freaking PURSE! Who!? Why!? How!?"

"Dawn's got a point." Buffy noted, "If she didn't grab that thing? How and why did it get in her purse? Who would want to send a big, albeit harmless creature after my sister?"

The four women looked at each other for answers about who would want to harm the slayer's sister. But the answers were just not forthcoming there in that room.
lost by emilyo
While diligently manning her immensely *important* babysitting post, Mila flipped though bride magazines. Happily looking at dresses and bouquets. She wouldn't admit it, part of her whole stoic motif she had going on, but she was terribly excited about the wedding. Yeah, it was still almost a year away, but the thought of spending her life with someone, especially Xander. Well. It filled a hole in her heart. A heart that she once was thought lost. She didn't like to depend on anyone. She had been let down young in life. And although her aunt Livia had tried to make up for all those hurtful years at her father's hand, sometimes the pain will still too close. She loved her aunt and her sister, but a piece of her always remained, detached. She was different from them. Non-magical.
She had never felt apart of something, ... until Xander.

"Aunt Mila watch me", Mithril cried. She was trying to levitate rocks off the front lawn, urging William to help her. William stood by solemnly. He was anxiously waiting for his mother to return home so he could apologize to her. Make her love him again.

"Hey you two," Mila called, "No magic till your moms get back. You know the rules."

"AUUUYYY", Mithril cried. William just slumped onto the stoop, still looking sad.

Mila felt a twinge of guilt. If she had been born a real witch, she could be helping her niece and nephew, not hindering them.
Her cell began to buzz. She picked it up and heard Buffy's voice crackling on the other end.

"Buffy"? Mila asked into phone.

"Mila, everything okay over there?" Buffy's voice crackled on the other end.

"Yeh, sun's shinning. Kids are out having fun. No worries."

"William's OUT? Alright, I'll deal later. All seems well enough here. We're just getting Dawn settled, and we have to check in with the council for a quick sec. It's been a long strange day. But don't worry we'll be home soon."

'Don't worry. They don't trust me alone. That's cause if a big bad comes, your useless Mil', she thought bitterly.
"Got it Buf., No sweat."

They concluded with goodbyes, and Mila sat and watch the kids. She was a little sad, and a little worried. But the sun was shinning, the news had been quiet. What could happen now? Never ever tempt the fates. That is what Mila learned that day.

The sky began to cloud, and then grow dark. Mila grew wary and began to rise from the front stoop. The children felt the change in the air and looked around. They clasped hands and ran behind Mila frightened.
The sky grew darker. Mila could see a blueness farther across the horizon, but the sky above their neighborhood became as black as night.

'Night, Oh my God', It started to click in her head. The strange thing with Dawn this morning drawing Buffy, Willow and Lillia away from the house.. The weird outburst in the demon community today that split the slayers to the four corners of the state. "We've been set up."

She heard the van wield around the corner before she saw it. Two vamps jumped out and ran toward the lawn, toward her and the children. She threw herself in front of them , shielding them.
"Put up a protection barrier around yourselves" Mila called, The children stared at her, frightened

"We can't" they cried

"Try your best, get to the house. Concentrate.. Hard. Go!. Now!! Run!!"

The children ran to the house, hand in hand. One vamp lunged towards them only to bounce back off, and land not far away.

"Good!! keep it up babies", she called. 'Oh God, so young' she thought, as she tackled the other vamp. She was no slayer, no witch, but she could fight. She met him punch for punch. He wasn't too strong. ''Must be new " she mumbled, "And fairly weak."

He manage to land a punch that threw her to the ground by the bushes

She lay on her stomach, feeling the vamp, his cold breath on her neck, his fangs brushing against her skin. He was about ready to claim his reward when she flipped around, with a sharp stray branch in hand, and plunged it into the heart to the beast.

"Take that asshole", Mila growled.

Mila looked up, the children where cowered in the doorway. The stupid vamp was actually throwing himself up against the barrier, as if he could break it down by sheer force.
"They don't make them too bright these days do they?" she uttered as she shoved the another pointed stick through his back, into his heart, dusting him.

Mila walked into the house. She did it! The two crying children clung to her for dear life.

"Aunt Mila, that was brilliant" William said in awe.

Mila smiled and clutch both children closer, Letting relief wash over her. "So what should we do for an encore" she giggled.

"Oh, We have some ideas." Mila spun as outside the door was a dark haired man-demon. Young, couldn't have been more than 18 when he was turned. Next to him a women.

It was the woman that made Mila shiver. She didn't have much magic in her, but she had enough to feel the power emanating from the other being. The children began to tremble, silently crying.

"Don't worry babies. They can't come in" Mila comforted.

"OH, We don't want to come in." The dark one spoke, "The little boy must..Come..Out.."
Before Mila could react, the female vampire threw a handful of dust into the doorway, hitting her full in the face 'No wait not dust, herbs..'Potion!'
Her head spun and she felt her knees give way. She looked up at the horrified faces of the children.
"Stay in the house. Go Hide. But stay in the house" she uttered before unconsciousness claimed her.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
William felt more terror than he had ever know. His mommy was out. His aunt was slowly slipping into sleep. Mithril was clutching him crying, trying to drag him upstairs. They should go hide he knew, but he couldn't move. She was here. The monster from his dream. She spoke to him. "Come here little one." Come to mummy."

'Mommy, she wasn't his mommy'. But he was helpless. His blood heeded her call and willed his body to make him move. His legs responded on their own, drawing him to the voice. Slowly he moved toward it. Out to her

Out of the house.

"William! Don't! Stop! Were nota suppose to leave the house. Please." Mithral cried. She begged him. Trying to hold him there.

Barley aware of what he was doing, he shoved her back. She may have been older, but he was always stronger. She fell on the floor with a thud.

The small girl watch helplessly as her friend walk toward the monsters. The next thing she saw was that he too, had been put to sleep, and they were carrying him away.
Mithril, clutch at the necklace around her neck, and screamed, and screamed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The scream tore though Lillia's head like a lighting bolt. She flinched and clutched her temple.

Buffy and Willow both immediately noticed her distressed. Buffy slammed on the break, narrowly missing the car ahead of her.

Willow rubbed Lillia's back from the rear seat, her face filled with concern "What's wrong baby?"

"It's..It's ..Mithril. Oh God!", she cried as she stared at the other women, knowledge beginning to dawn on her. "She's screaming. Crying to me though the necklace. It..It wasn't about Dawn at all. It's the children."

Buffy felt her heart stop. It's daylight, but she should have known that that didn't mean much. They were set up! Quickly, using every slayer reflex she had, she spun the car around, and headed back toward her home. Hoping it wasn't to late. It couldn't be. They'd get there in time. They had too. They just had too.
24 by emilyo
24 Hours...

24 hours since she returned home.

24 hours since she found a unconscious Mila and a hysterical Mithril lying in her doorway.

24 hours since she ripped her home apart and realized that she had lost her son.

24 hours since he had vanished off the face of the earth.

He was gone. Her son. Her world. Gone.

"Ohh god," she cried. "I'm so sorry." She said to no one. To everyone. To him.
moving by emilyo
The Summer's home had become, once again, command central. Slayers filtered in and out.
Humans, witches, demons of all walks of life had been there. Friends, colleague, allies all rallied around the house, vowing revenge on the beasts who took one of their own. All swearing that William would be found alive, and unharmed.

'Unharmed' How could a little boy ever survive being taken from his mother, and come back unharmed.

Willow couldn't fathom it. Even if Will came back this minute, they were all irrevocably harmed. Buffy was so hysterical. They had to sedate her. Dawn was with her now, right by her side. Filled with guilt and grief at what happened, she sat by her sister, ready to offer comfort and cry apologies to her when she woke. Mila was wracked with her own guilt over, in her mind, not being able to protect William. Xander clutched at his fiance for dear life; trying to comfort her, while trying to tether his own grief of losing the boy he loved and watching his family become unglued. Mithril refused to speak, and was in a state of shock since she'd been found. Lillia was beside herself with fear for her daughter, and the family that she loved. And Giles..

They had called Giles in England. He and Livia were catching the next flight. Willow heard more of Ripper in Giles that she had ever heard before.

As Willow got off the phone with Giles she took a look at the multitude of faces, friends, family, volunteers, coming to offer aid. Even in the bleakness of the hour the show of love had warmed her heart. So much devotion and concern. So many lives touched. So much impact in the world. All over one little boy.

But hadn't it always been this way?

They were all so lost after Sunnydale. Xander was so racked with grief. He stayed near California and quickly drank himself into a hole. Willow and Giles got so wrapped up in trying to establish some sort of order that they didn't even realize that Buffy had been slipping away from the world, and trying to escape from it permanently. Dawn was so marred with the multiple loss she had accumulated in her short life that she could offer comfort to no one. They were lost. Their family almost gone.

It was only when they found out that there was a sweet child about to come into the world that they had come together again..as family.
Even Xander had been moved enough to take the first flight to England to support Buffy. He had stayed all throughout the pregnancy, and months after little William was born. He left, albeit reluctantly, when he realized he needed to make something of his own.

Willow shuddered to think of where there lives would have led, or goddess forbid, would lead, without that little boy.

This one little boy, changed all their lives. His birth was a rebirth for all of them. He was the reason they all began to try again. He was the reason they all began to..live again.
She just hoped that those who took him, could be as warmed by him as the faces of those around her.
sight and sound by emilyo
Those were the 2 senses that had first alerted William that he was no longer at home.

The place smelled funny. Dank, Dirt, Dusty. And there were strange sounds. Lots of banging and clanging and yelling, like one of Uncle Xander's work sites.

"Elevated that noise or I will turn all your entails inside out"!

"Most of them are vampires, you stupid cow! Their entrails are near dust anyway!"

"Drusilla control your boy or I'll"

"Shh!" Dru whispered. "Our golden boy is awake. He listens to our every word. Naughty boy." She said with a grin.

William heard the voice, felt the presence. It was Her! He was with Her! She had come for him like in his dreams.
'Where was mommy' he panicked. She could have never have gotten him away from his mommy. But he didn't feel her, couldn't feel her anywhere. And he was achy and hungry and his heard hurt and everything smelled and felt and sounded so strange. He let a soft whimper escape in spite of himself.

"Stand him up and bring him forth" a voice bellowed.

William felt strong hand lift him and set him on his feet. For a moment he wondered if his legs would work. He felt drained and sick and wasn't sure he could stand. He manage though to keep upright, but kept his eyes tightly shut. He though maybe he would wake up any moment and that this would be just a horrible dream.

"Open your eyes child" he heard.

Than another voice whispered, "Do what the nasty lady says my sweet or there will be no cakes today."

Hesitantly William opened his eyes and peered around the room.

A red headed woman with green eyes sat on a makeshift throne before him The room was decorated with shiny baubles and ornaments and it reminded him of the haunted castle at the Victorian fair his mommy had taken him too. Thoughts of his mommy made him start to tear up and whimper.

The witch frowned "What is he doing? Make him to stop that." She hollered.

"Poor baby," the raven haired lady from his dreams cooed, "Mummy won't let the big bad witch get you."

'Mommy?, Whose mommy. She wasn't his mommy. He had a mommy. Where was his mommy? Why hadn't she come for him?

William tried to calm himself and remained silent he tried to breathe and concentrate and focus all of his energy into a single thought.

He knew he didn't have enough magic to take on 2 vampire's and a witch, but if he could call out to his mother, she would hear and come running.

He focus and began to scream in his mind, but that quickly morphed into an actual scream as a lightning like pain laced though his head.

The Witch laughed. "Foolish boy, do you think we would let you wander around unleashed?" she cackled. "You cannot contact anyone. You cannot scream, speak, or even think of your home or yourself. Don't believe me? Give it a try. Tell me your name!" she challenged.

William thought and tried to form his own name in his mind, but felt the lingering thought was accompanied by a pain hovering in the background of his brain. He stared up in shock as the witch.

"Now now child, "The witch drawled, "This is a joyous time You are a very important guest of ours. You do what we ask of you, I promise that none of Us, here, will harm you." If you do not.." She motioned to the opened door on the far wall.

Three vampires stood there in full vamp face, their yellowed eyes bored right thought William's soul. One of them yanked a young woman into his view. She was unconscious, but that didn't stop the blood from splattering as the vamp torn out her throat.

"Any questions?" the redhead asked

William looked at her, eyes wide with shock, and than promptly fainted.

"Tsk" the witch griped, shaking her head.

Dru rushed to the fallen boy, cradling him, making small whimpering noises, and moaning about her "poor little baby."

"Mother," Conner soothed, "He will be fine, lets move him to our rooms so he can rest. Than you can play with him when he wakes."

"Yes, a fine idea. Take my baby boys and put them to bed." Dru's eyes gleamed mischievously. "We'll all have a lovely time" She grinned.

"Play with him all you want Drusilla. But remember he is a tool, and we Will use him. So don't break him, and Do Not get too..attached.", The witch warned.

Dru merely threw the witch a nod and left carrying her prize.

When William woke again, the witch was gone. In her place was the lady vamp who he recognized as Drusilla, and the boy vamp whose name was Connor.

They had moved him to a set of rooms, also decorated like a Victorian room he had seen in museum. This was kinda pretty in a way, with ruffles and flowers and things all about. And he was in a soft warm bed, surrounded by roses.

"How is out little luv this morning hmm?, "Dru cooed and cuddle him to her breast. Chatting baby talk to him all the while. William stiffened and resisted slightly, but was too scared to outright pull away.

"Be careful mother, He's breakable" Conner reminded.

Conner didn't know what his problem was. He was a Vampire. Son of Angelus. A direct descendant of the Master. Yet he..Felt.
He felt empathy for this boy. A little boy stolen from his home simply because he..was. Was that not a mirror of himself once apone time? Damn his mother and her damn fuckin visit was getting to him.
"Dru may we should feed him. Human and all, he need to eat."

"Ohh yes mummy will send for some treats and cakes. Won't baby wike some wittle cakes?" Dru cooed and cuddled William closer continuing to babble nonsense at him.

William had almost had enough. Annoyance was outweighing his fear. He wasn't some baby. And this lady was Not his mommy.

William pushed at her as hard as he was able and scrambled off the bed. He stood and looked up at her, blue eye defiant and yelled
"You are not my mommy! Not now! Not ever! I want my real mommy and I want to go Home!!"

Drusilla walked calmly up to the boy, smiled than

'Wack'

William stood, stunned, tears welling up in his eyes. She slapped him across the face! No one had ever hit him before.

Dru reached up her hand for another go when Connor grabbed her arm effectively staying her.

"Dru, ...Mother He's confused. He's had a long day. He's probably hungry. Let's ask him again, give him another chance to be a good boy. Don't all good boys deserve second chances?" Connor's eyes explored hers, pleading.

"My Sweet son. Yes, perhaps we should give our little one more chance. Now, my golden one, who is your mummy?" Dru stared down at William expectantly.

William hesitated and looked at Connor who stared directly into his eyes and gave his head a slight nod. William heard Conner's speak in his head 'Tell her what she wants. Even if it is a lie'

Lie. William wasn't suppose to lie. He was already in trouble with mommy for lying, but in this case he suppose he'd have to. So he sucked in a deep breath, let it out, and said "Your are."

"I am what?" The demon asked.

"MM..My mommy."he whispered.

Drusilla squealed with glee and crushed the boy to her breast. "Now there is my little luv, my bright shinning boy. We will be so happy together. Me and my boys and soon Daddy will be back with us."

'Daddy?', William thought.

"Ohh, it will be so wonderful won't it my lovely, lovely boys,"Dru asked gleefully.

"Of course mother," Connor answered and pointedly looked at William.

"Of course. m..mm mother.", William echoed.

Dru smiled manically with joy, "Now I must get my boys some lovely treats to eat. Connor guard your little brother while I am gone. Don't want any of those nastys out there to get him now do we?" With that Dru skipped off to search for dinner.

Connor sighed in relief. "Good ," he addressed to William, "That was good. You catch on fast. Guess your as strong with the whole mind reading thing as they say."

William shrugged and stood there shifting on his feet. "Why did you help me?" he asked.

Connor just stared at him for a moment. He felt the connection between William and himself. They were the sons of their fathers after all, didn't that make them family ?
He knelt down to look at him level in the eye. "We are truly brothers. I was just like you once. Lost, taken from my real family."
"But see I've found my way home now. To mother."

"But she's not.." William began.

"Shhh, She has ears everywhere." Connor's eyes scanned the room warily, as if to prove his point. "Pretend it's a game. You like games don't you?" Connor briefly though of the games he played on Quortoth. They were more of the' killed or be eaten variety'.

William smiled and nodded his head. It was the first smile Conner had seen on the boy. It seemed to warm him straight to his cold dead heart.

"Well," Connor said, clearing his throat. "Just pretend she's your mom for now. Really pretend hard, cause if you don't she'll know and get angry. We don't want to angry mother do we?"

"No!" William said shaking his head in agreement.

"No what?"

"No angering mother."

"That a boy." Connor praised and before he knew it he had given Will a playfull slap on the back. William smiled and giggled.
Connor quickly rose and scrambled away from the boy as if he was made of holy water , cursing himself for his weakness. He looked over at Wills who had a perplexed look.

"Just sit here and I'll see about food. And no trouble. Got me!" Conner said firmly.

William shook his head in affirmation and sat aside very quietly like he was asked
.
Connor couldn't get out of the room fast enough. 'What the fuck was wrong with him? He was a Demon. He shouldn't be having warm fussy feelings for this boy.' Conner briefly remember the time when he had been alive and had thought he had a child coming. The feelings of love and protectiveness he had felt when he gazed at Cordilia and her swollen belly. Connor squashed these emotions 'Not good, Not good' he thought Even his demon seemed to feel a kinship with the child that he could not escape.

How could his un-life get any worse . His mother was so preoccupied with the brat and the coming of the bleached wonder that she wasn't giving him his daly romp. He had the whore-witch from hell barking orders and killing minions faster that Dru could make them. Now he was having puppy dog feeling for some squirt?

There was only one answer. He had to get rid of that kid. Both him and the bleach bastard if he should materialize. One way or another, they both had to go.
mission by emilyo
The Summer's household was becoming more and more desperate. Soon the amount of volunteers, and the needs of the search were too numerous for the house, so the command was moved to the C. A. Slayer headquarters.

All the slayers were pulled onto active duty and were swarming the West Coast, following any lead, no matter how small or idiotic it seemed. Every major 'Big Bad" on the playing field were being watched. They even managed to put a spy in Wolfram and Hart, who so far was bringing in regular reports without detection. Many local demon strongholds had been investigated, and many more shut down completely Truth be told the slayer community actually had accomplished more in the last week than that had in several years.

Giles had a whole troup of mystics and slayers camped out at the 'Sunndale hole'. His belief being that if they wanted to accomplish a restoration of the first, the former hellmouth would be the most likely site. So far the activity had been nil. The team met with nothing but a silent empty chasm.

At first, Buffy had refused to be moved from the house. She had settled in his room. Had crawled into his bed and refused to move. Nothing and no one could motivate her to leave his sanctuary. To join in the search. It was almost as if she believed that if she just sat there long enough that he would magically reappear.

It was Giles who finally confronted her, only moments after arriving on her doorstep.

"What are you doing in here!!" He had demanded. "Do you truly believe this is helping him?"

"Go away," she murmured weakly.

"I will bloody well not go anywhere until you get up out of that bed and help look for your son!"

"Why? What good would it do!", She challenged, sitting up in the bed "I'm a failure Giles. Everything I love, I lose! You tried and tried to warn me and I just ignored you as always and I lost him! I failed him! I practically handed him over to them!"

Giles started to speak, but Buffy wasn't finished yet, "Do you know what the last thing I said to him was? I was aggravated about..something. Something I can't even remember now and I was yelling at him. Told him to get out of my sight. That I couldn't stand to look at him. The last word I may ever speak to him Giles. I'll never get to tell him that I love him.. Tell him..I'm..I'm sorry.. God I'm so sorry Giles!"

Giles came over and held onto Buffy, allowing her a few moments of grief before untangling himself from her and standing again. Now was not the time to dwell. It would do William no good.
"You want to sit her and sulk like an adolescent child over what could have been, fine." Ignoring her glare of hatred he continued onto the course which he knew would spur her into action, "But ask yourself this. What would Spike, expect of you!"

That was all he had to say, she was up from the bed, sprinting into action.

Now, Buffy was moving solely on auto pilot. She had been searching any and all demon haunts she could uncover, and had taken to making regular rounds to the local demon bars. Many had packed up and moved over night. After all, it wasn't good for business to have the slayer beating up the patrons night after night. But Buffy was on a mission. She wanted her son, and these people must have heard something that could find him.

At least that was the rational that she repeated to herself as she continued to bang this latest patron's head into the concrete floor.

The creature screamed and cried out about innocence and ignorance as Buffy simply bashed his face in over and over. The blood soaking her fists, the walls, the floor. It was simply..everywhere. But all she could see was William. His smiling face. His beautiful carefree eyes .Eyes she may never see again.

"Shut up!!! Just, Shut Up!! She finally screamed at the now unrecognizable...thing. "You listen to me!! You will live, but for one reason and one reason only. Anyone who see's my son and doesn't report it. Dies! Anyone who renders aid to the vampire's known as Drusilla and Connor..Dies!! There will be no rest in the demon world. No where to run. No where to hide. There will be no escape. The raids and the beatings and the interrogations will only end once my son is returned to me. Spread the word. There will be no peace of any kind until I have my son. Do you hear me!! I want my son!! I want my son!!. She continued to beat the demon unconscious, until finally being dragged away by four other slayers.
deepest desires by emilyo
William couldn't tell how long it had been since he'd been taken from home, but he guessed it had to be days. She had fed him and put him to sleep 3 times now, and while there was no windows, she always said it was bedtime so he just assumed that days were going by.

He pretty much had stayed out of trouble since the first night That night, she had brought him cookies and milk to eat. The milk was old and sour and William had gagged on it and spit it out all over her favorite baby doll. She had thrown a fit and began slapping him over and over. Connor had finally stopped her. But not before William was cowering on the floor weeping and shaking, blood seeping out of his mouth from a cut on his lip.

Connor had made him apologize, but also made sure he had gotten proper food since then. Connor had saved him and still continued to save him from the crazy lady. William couldn't figure out why Connor was so nice to him, with him being a vampire and all. His mommy always said all vampire's were bad, but Connor was different. William felt confusion in Conner. He felt evil, but also he felt something that was almost...,good. Connor kept saying that they were brothers and it would all be over soon. But William's hopes grew dimmer and dimmer with each hour.

Where was his mommy? Why hadn't she come for him? All he wanted to do was to see her again and hug her and hold her and say he was sorry for being bad. He had begun to wonder if he had been so bad that maybe his mommy didn't want him back. Had she actually sold him!?? Like Aunt Dawn said she would.

The door to the room banged open and in walked the witch. William hadn't seen her since the first night. Since then he had never been let out of this room. She was all dressed up like a princess with a crown on her head and everything. Drusilla stood off behind her her eyes gleaming with excitement. She was giggling and bouncing up and down singing "Today's the day. The day today."

Connor was not far off, but he looked..sad.

"Well, well, my little one. Today is the day you make history. Are you ready to fullfill your destiny?" the witch smiled, strutting back and forth before him.

William had no idea what she was talking about, but he hoped that it had something to do with him going home soon. He just stood there wide eyes, mouth sligtly open, and dumbly stared at her.

The witch stood before him, waiting for him to speak. "Well child?! Answer me now!"

"He doesn't have a clue what your cackling about you stupid troll." Connor obliged.

"Drusilla! You were to prepare him! What have you been on about these last few days!!" the witch screamed.

William began to whimper and cower back, but Drusilla ran up and scooped him in her arms. "Hush now my sweet bright boy. The mean wittle witch won't harm you."

"He must do this of his own will!!!. Or it will all be for not!" the witch bellowed.

Connor saw the witch make a move toward Dru and the boy and in a flash, moved in to protect his family.
"Hold on to your saddlebag you old crone" Connor screamed, "Dru will talk to him." He turned and smiled at his beautiful sire.
"Mommy will take care of everything." He whispered reverently.

Drusilla smiled glowed toward her childe before she focused her attention to her other child "Ohh, my sweet boy.", She said, cradling the boy in her arms. "Today is a very important day. Today is the day we bring Daddy back to us. Wouldn't you like to have your daddy back?" she asked.

William looked at her, stunned and confused as his tears dried on his face, "Mmm.. My.. My Daddy?"

"Yes, "Drusilla hissed, "We could bring daddy. You would do anything to have your daddy back, Wouldn't you?"

William, more confused than ever, darted his blue eyes between Dru and Connor. Dru looked at him wildly excited, while Connor merely shrugged his shoulders. He could hear Drusilla in his mind, encouraging him, "Bring daddy back! Bring daddy back!" her voice echoed.
Slowly William nodded his head in agreement.

"Ohh that's my sweet little prince. Soon our dark night will be back and we all be.."

"Able to serve the dark power and revel in the hell on earth.", Connor finished for her. He flashed Dru a subtle look of warning, one only sire and childe would notice. It would not be good if the witch realized that Dru had no intention of giving up her new *family*.
Once she had them all reunited that is.

The witch seemed not to notice the exchange, so focused on her dreams of glory being so close at hand. It was so close. She could almost taste it, and ohhh how sweet it is!

"None of you voodoo trick Drusilla," the witch warned, "He Must do this of his own free will or the ritual will be for not. It must be his choice, his blood, his flesh, his will!"

"Enough already!!" Connor bellowed.,"We all know what to do!".

"Little darling, "Dru began patiently, "Do you know. Do you understand mommy and how important this is? Is this something you wish to do for mommy...for us all?"
"SHH," she said, fingers to his lips when he tried to speak." You must think deep down...here,", She moved her hand to linger over his heart, "So think really really hard.. Feel before you answer. Find you deepest desires."

William was so confused now. His daddy was gone. He was in heaven. Mommy said there was no coming back. People shouldn't come back from heaven. It was nice there and people were happy. Mommy had said!

But he wanted it. The thought of having a daddy had always been a fondest wish. And he knew the witch was powerful... Maybe he could have his daddy. Maybe his daddy would come to save him.

They were all staring at him. Breathless. Waiting for a response. He shook his head and agreed," Yes. Yes I want my daddy."


Chapter 31: So many places

So many places, So little time.

Time was all Buffy felt like she had now.

There were many places that were being canvas ed by the Council. So place they had been searching. Many more they had been 'keeping their eyes on'. The 'Sunnydale hole' for one. But so far, there was no activity. According to Giles, he didn't think there would be for a while yet. It wasn't the right time.

'Why now?', She asked herself. Why take him now? So early before the established time table? What could they possibly gain from taking him now? What were they doing with him? To him?
All these thoughts fluttered around in Buffy's brain as she sat in his room, night after night. And every night, she still had no answers. And every night, in his room, surrounded by his things, she lied on his bed and fought through the tears to keep a sliver of hope alive in her heart.
gifts gained and lost by emilyo
The next few hours passed in a blur literally. After his agreement, Drusilla had clasped her hands and jumped up and down, cooing and hugging him and singing "We're gonna bring daddy, We're gonna bring daddy."

She then said something about needing him relaxed and muttered some words holding him at his head. Since then, William had felt like he dreaming or really really sick. The kinda feverish sick he had had only once before in his young life, but he remembered the feeling. He felt dizzy and foggy and nauseous. His eyes felt clouded and his legs felt all wobbly.

William allowed them to direct his movement, dress him up in fancy clothes, like the little prince Drusilla kept claiming him to be. Then he felt them move him into a large chamber, flooded with candles and incense. A large and very pretty alter had been erected and a large slab of concrete had been set up with cushions and blankets looking like a sort of bed. He could make out a few dozen people around them. Some seemingly human, and some not. He couldn't get a good feel for anything with such a thick blanket of fog clogging his brain. He let them lead him with a calm disinterest and than stood silently still, waiting... He wasn't sure for what. But he knew it was something he wanted.

Connor was there, talking to him. Encouraging him to stay calm and do what was asked, but also to remember what he wanted.

What he wanted? Did he know? He did want something. What was it again?

Soon the ritual began and William continued to look on with only mild calm curiosity. In his current state only a few words and images manage to permeate his fog covered mind.

The witch began to speak:

"Ohh Yee Gods of old."
"We gather here your most humble servants, to lead the restorer of the way!".
"The power removed will be restored !"
"What was broken will be made whole!"
"What was lost will be retaken!"
"And what was gained will be destroyed!"

"From the blood of the sired, we restore you!"

William felt Connor stiffen behind him. He felt ..fear coming off him for a brief second before it disappeared behind other more turbulent emotions. He noticed Drusilla before him speaking. She held in her hand a knife.

"Ohh My sweet boy, " She cooed. "You must do this on your own. Your sacrifice will return daddy to us. Just a quick cut," She made a slicing motion over her palm. A few drops will be enough." She held the knife for him to take.

William took the knife and looked at it curiously. Daddy. That was it. He was here for daddy. Connor knelt down over him, putting one hand on his forearm, encouraging him to extended his palm. The other hand was placed where William gripped the knife. He angled the knife down toward Williams' palm and spoke.
"Just a few drops will do it. It is very sharp so you don't need to go deep. Real quick like this." He made a sweeping motion with the knife right above William's palm, " And it will be over. It will only hurt for a moment."

William nodded and quickly mimic the motion. Only he actually connected and sliced through his skin. The pain jolted though his haze and he stared wide-eyed as blood dripped down his palm.

He felt Drusilla drip the blood off his hand into a waiting bowl and then watched nauseated as she smiled at him while licking his palm clean with loving strokes.

The witch spoke:
"Blood of the sired, gratefully given. We restore you!"
"Flesh of the retched, forcefully take, We restore you!"

William heard pleading , followed by screams as a hooded figure was cut down before him.

"Essence of the sired, noblely given, We restore you."

William felt Drusilla near him again. She held in her hand some sort of necklace. She placed it in his hand and then over his heart.

"Think of your deepest desire." She whispered.

Deepest desire. His mommy, His home. His...Daddy?

The thought seemed to radiate from his mind and streamline down to his heart and pool in his chest. The witch spoke and then he felt.. burning. Terrible pain and heat and searing of his flesh. He wanted to toss the amulet aside but he couldn't. He heard more word, but everything was fading fast as the agony he felt on his flesh forced him to his knees. He looked through the haze before him to see a mist of matter swirl around on the ornate slab at the alter. He could almost make out a figure forming on top of the bed. It was fuzzy and blurry, but it's hair was so white it shown out bright in the dimness of the room. It almost looked like..

His thought didn't finish, before the world went black.

Chapter 13: Chapter 33 - 35

Chapter 33: Just another typical day.

Just another typical day at old 'Helly hole', as the guardians had come to nickname it. Many of the slayers and council guard were pretty upset at the lot they had drafted. With so many exciting investigations going on, they were all pretty pissed at being stuck watching a lifeless pit; where there was no activity and likely to be none. They wanted to be out there where the action was. Instead they spend their days around their makeshift camp; sitting on their cots and playing poker.

So, it was not surprising that they were caught unawares when an apparent sandstorm formed in the base of said pit. They watched, more than a little stunned, as the particles gained in velocity and erupted from the hole; flying over head and filtering off into the distance to parts unknown.
where i belong by emilyo
Spike wasn't sure what was happening to him. The last thing he remembered was that little red bitch holding up the amulet. It all went blank after that. He wondered how much time had gone by before he woke up in this field of grass. The sun shinning merrily down upon him. After a moment of sheer panic, he realized he was; A: Not on fire, and B: Not turning to dust.

His relief was short lived when he discovered that he was apparently completely and utterly alone, with no clue as to where he was. He walk along with hesitant steps until he felt a presence a short ways up. Following his instinct, he encountered a path that concluded a little ways ahead. There stood a beautiful windowed arboretum, covered with the finest greenery. Flowering trees and shrubs adorned the landscape and Spike briefly wondered if he had gone to heaven. He slowly walked though the doors, but his pace quickened when she heard her singing.

"Early one morning"
"Just as the sun was rising"

He found her not far away. She look lovely. Pure and beautiful and strong as she had been when he was a lad. No evidence of sickness..or evil, marring her stunning presence. She was smiling and smoothing back the hair of a small boy, lying on a bed of all white. For a brief moment, Spike almost thought the boy was himself.

She must have sensed him for she turned around and smiled brightly, looking into this eyes as she spoke, "William, wherever have you been? I've been waiting forever it seemed." She stood and held her arms out to welcome him.

Spike hesitated only a moment longer before running into her embrace,"Mum. Oh Mum. I'm sorry. I'm so soo sorry".

"Hush now my sweet boy. Its all right." His mother said, hugging him tight and soothing him, "Lord I was wondering how much longer you were to keep me waiting." She said smiling.

"'M sorry Mum. I got...Lost..for a while." He said still holding her, but flicking his eyes to the side.

"Oh I should say so William, " She broke off the embrace and looked at him sternly. The kind of look she gave him was he was a boy and had been naughty. The look she gave when she was..annoyed with him.

Spike turned away from her. Guilt welled up in him and sobs erupted, "I'm sorry Mum. I.. didn't.."

"What William? Know? Mean to? Oh William, it would be so easy for you to say and for me to try to believe it was all the demon. But We both know better don't we?" She asked, looking at the form of her son now crying earnestly. She came to him and caressed his check, her face softening, "We think therefor we are William. Everything that has consciousness, has choices, even demons. Yes, sometimes it is hard to chose one way. When everything inside of you is trying to turn you the other. But it can be done. And you did it William. You choose the right path. Took you long enough, but you did. And I am so proud of you my son!." She said smiling with tears in her eyes.

Spike couldn't believe his ears. He must be dreaming, but if he was he never wanted to awake. A part of him that had been locked up for over 120 years broke and he wept uncontrollably with both relief and grief. Relief that his Mum loved him and not only forgave him, but was finally proud of him. And the grief, that was for the loss of the mortal once called Anne, and for the one once called William.

Anne let him calm down and gave him a last reassuring hug before she retook her seat and waited.

Spike was a bit confused when she broke away from him and went back to the boy like nothing out of the ordinary had happened. He went to his knees beside her. He looked from her to the boy, back to her and asked "Mum? The boy? Who...Who is he?"

"Why William he's...My charge." She changed the last words quickly but Spike too stunned to noticed. "Things are a little...overwhelming for him right now." She said as she looked fondly at the boy, stroking his face lovingly, "So he's to stay with me for a little while, whilst his mind and body heals."

"What happen to him, Mum? Where's he belong?" Where.."

"Shh," Anne replied to her son, her fingers pressed to his lips, " No need for all that now. He needs to rest. You both do. Too soon you'll be on your way." She said a little sullenly.

"On my way," Spike repeated, confused, "I'm not going anywhere. 'M' stayin here. With you. Is' where I belong."

"Oh William", Anne said. She placed her hands on the sides of his cheeks and smiled kindly into his eyes. "I'm sorry sweetheart, but you cannot stay. It's not your time. You have to go back. You still have a job to do."

"Not my Time!?!! Job to do!!?" Spike was angry now. Ripping himself from his mother's arms, he sprung up and began pacing back and forth. His arms were waving frantically as he ranted at her. "I'm sorry Mum, but have you lost your bleeding mind women!? Over a 120 years Mum!! I've been wanderin round waiting. I've died twice over! The last one in a big firery blaze while saving the word! So excuse me while I say sod to anymore *jobs*! I'm staying here for Christ's sake!!"

His mother stiffened, standing straight up, she moved to hold him to still. Turning him around in her arms, she stared straight into his eyes, giving him a look he hadn't seen since he was a small lad. He was face to face with his Mum's resolve face.
"Now you listen to me William Thomas Henry. First, you shall not take thy lord name in vain. You straighten up and don't roll your eyes at me young man. Second, you do have more work to do. You see that boy there?" Spike's eyes followed her as she pointed back to the small blond on the little white bed. "He needs protection and love. To be nurtured and cared for. He needs to go home, and it is your responsibility to get him there!"

"Why me Mum? I..I don't understand. I.." Spike fell to his knees and buried his face in his mother's skirts, sobbing., "I can't help him Mum. I can't even help myself. I'm lost is what I am..Lost and alone and.. and I need..I need to rest." he sobbed.

"Oh My poor William," she sighed, hugging him to her middle, "You were never alone. I was always there for you sweetheart. Even in the times when you didn't really want to heed me." She ruffled his hair and smiled down at him, feeling him relax a little. "William, this all isn't as difficult as it seems. Your not alone. You both have each other. And you have home. You just need to find it for the two of you.," Anne continued to soothed her son's hair as she spoke to him.

Spike had calmed a little, but his voice still cracked as he spoke, "There is no way home for me Mum. Have none. There' s no way...

"William, you've always know where to find home." Anne said

Spike looked up from her waist curiously.

"William, Home is where the heart is. Just follow your heart and you'll find your way. I'ts led you this far."

"Not sure that's the best way to go there Mum. Done lot of stupid thing cause of this heart."

His mother lips thinned as she frowned at him, "Most of those times. Your heart was not the..organ in charge now was it?" She saw Spike blush and look away. She held him close again and spoke to him, "William your heart led you the right way in all the times it really mattered. Look how far you've come. Don't be afraid to go a little further sweetheart. Your journey is more than half over. Don't be afraid to see it through to the end."
"Now" She patted him on the shoulders indicating he should stand, "Our time grows short. Remember that you are a good man.And to follow your heart. It will never lead you wrong."

Spike turned from his mother with tears in his eyes. "Mum, I'm not sure I can do what you asked. Mum? " He spun around. Only to come face to face with a giant flaming chasm. The flames rising up out of the blackened pit to scorch Spike's face. He tried to scream, but fond that his voice had left him. He tried to step back, only to tumble and fall into the firery hell below.
surprise by emilyo
Pain. He felt so much pain. When was the last that he felt pain like this? Not since he was slowly being a charcoal briquette from the inside out. His chest felt like hot pin needles were boring into it. His lungs were struggling for air which was perplexing cause he didn't breathe. His head was pounding and there was a rushing sound thrumming through his ears. He tried to open his eyes but they were glued shut. He tried to think of what he last remembered. His Mum. He had been dreaming of her. Just a dream though and before that... There was.. Angel. And being a ghost stuck in damn L. A. and... The little red witch and that damn blasted amulet...Fuck...
He struggled harder and slowly managed to open his eyes. He was in some sort of cave. Surly he'd been in enough of them to recognize his surroundings, blurry vision or not. He managed to stagger to his feet, noticing he was dressed in only a loose white shirt and cotton trousers. His head was still throbbing as he managed to stumble across the room.

He noticed a wine glass filled with a thick ruby liquid he recognized as blood. 'Ah sweet ambrosia', he thought.

A good cuppa would fix him right up. He took a deep drink.

And promptly spewed the contents all over the room.

Spike was horrified. He never tasted anything so fowl, so vial in his life. As soon as the stuff passed his lips, his body violently rejected the exposure. Now on top of being dizzy and confused and having the mother of all migraines; he was ill and retching up his meal. He managed to stumble over to a sink on the far wall. Quickly, he flushed his mouth out; mumbling curses and wondering what the fuck was wrong with him. While spitting out the last of lunch, his eyes flick up to meet a matching set of blue in the mirror fragment above.
It took him a few moment to realize that the screams he heard were his own.
reunited by emilyo
Now admittedly screaming in terror like a little girl isn't the most manly of things, but in Spike's defense he was taken by surprise. It is a bit of a shock to see your own reflection, after a 120 years hiatus that is. Coupled with the realization that he was; A: Now indeed breathing and therefore; B: Must somehow be mortal. Well, it was a bit much to take in all at once. He hesitantly approached the broken mirror and stared at the face now looking hauntingly back at him. He ran his hand down his cheek and that reached out to touch the mirror. The minute his fingers touched the cool glass he reeled back. "What the fuck have they done to me!" He muttered.

"I know. Its awful. Terribly, Terribly awful. My poor knight. You came back to me so..wrong."

Spike closed his eyes and blinked a couple of times. 'Nope not dreamin'. "Damn!'

Once he ascertained these facts, his mind went on red alert with full-focus on self preservation. His mind quickly ticked off the information.

Drusilla was here. Drusilla was insane. He was mortal. His last memory was being sucked back into the amulet by the witch.
Drusilla was here with him and insane, that meant she and the witch must be in cahoots together. For what purpose could they possibly want him back..and as a human? Well, he couldn't possibly imagine why, but that was a secondary worry to be pondered later. He wasn't sure he wanted this new *life* he now apparently had, but he'd be damned if he'd let Drusilla take away his choice... Again.

He turned slowly, and smiled seductively, "Drusilla. My love. My princess." He stared into her eyes as he slowly glided forward.
He never wavered from her gaze as he took her hands into his own and placed tender kisses on her knuckles.

Drusilla's eyes widened slightly in surprise. She hadn't expected him to respond so warmly so quickly. There last parting had been..rather difficult. But he was, after all, still her William. Even if his beautiful demon was gone, the man she found..effulgent..remained still. And she could always return him. Soon. So soon she'd have her Spike whole again. Soon, but not yet.

Spike was still holding her hand, putting everything he had into thoughts of love and reverence for this black..thing, before him.. He knew she'd feel it if he considered her in any fashion other than..worship. And he needed her to believe in his adoration..It was the only way to save himself, and get anything out of her. But he knew he had to be convincing , because she'd feel it if he slipped. Even one..little..bit...

"Drusilla my love. My princess. Can it be that once again, I have you to thank for my salvation. Did you again deliver me from the mediocrity that was my existence?" He said still holding her hands, eyes raking over her lustfully.

Dru's eyes glittered manically. She raised her hand and dragged her nails down his check, watching in fascination at the trail of human blood left in the wake. "My brave William. All burned up and gone. But only for a moment. Brought back to wander between worlds. Flickering in and out. Flick Flick Flick." She made slight jesters with her fingers as she spoke. "But they couldn't keep you from me. I knew I had to restore you. Restore our family. For you are mine now and forever."

With his hands entwined with hers, he spun her around and pulled her back flush against his chest. He ran his hands down her sides as he whispered in her ear. "We family again my pet? Let's say you and me blow out of here. Just the two of us, together. I hear Argentina is lovely this time of year. What say love?"

Spike silently prayed he could get her to lead him out of this room. He knew the place would likely be swarming with minions and the little red bitch couldn't be too far off. He couldn't take them all on. No he needed her to get him out, dump her, then figure out just what the fuck was happening.

"No! No! You Lie" She spun around and slapped him hard, knocking him off his feet. "You lie and you trick. And now you will pay!!"
promises by emilyo
Spike sat on the cold floor, stunned, but only for a moment. He regrouped quickly and decided that plausible deny ability would be his best bet. He quickly plastered a shock and hurt facade on his face.
"Dru! My love. How can you doubt me pet? His fingers grazed his still oozing check. "My blood sings true luv. All for you".
"Here", he held his bloodied fingers out for her, "Have a taste"

Drusilla slinked toward him. Eyes wide, she took each finger into her mouth and licked them clean with long lustful strokes. She grinned at him as she reached her hand around his head to pull his face down to her, her lips licking and sucking at his bloodied cheek.

"Oh my lovely boy, "She cooed. Mummy is so sorry she got crossed with you. I should have known that nasty slayer could not have stolen my Spike from me. Your mine are you not?"

"Forever and ever pet. I promise you." Spike vowed. He decided to test the waters, "Come with me now pet. Make me as I once was, and let's leave this place. Surly you don't want to be stuck courting this pathetic mortal form around. Make me strong again. My beautiful pale goddess" He begged.

"Yess," She hissed, slipping into game face.

Spike tensed, but willed himself to remain calm He had been stalling. Every second of consciousness, he felt his strength miraculously returning. His head and sight had cleared, and he felt strong,.. almost..powerful even. He was not ready, however, to test his new mortal strength on a master vampire. He hadn't been hit in the head that hard, and contrary to what people have said, he wasn't stupid either. So he stood there, breath held, wondering what the hell he was going to do next when...

"MM.. No!" Drusilla pouted and turned away from him. "I'm sorry my knight. The terrible little red witch said we mustn't..Yet.
She says you must stay this way. Have to do it this way. All human. All nasty soul and all, or it won't work."

"What won't work Dru?" He encircled her again, arms coming to rest around her. " What does the witch want? Why did you want me back..and like this?"

"I didn't wish this my knight. "Dru pouted, "I wanted my Spike back to me. Little voices in my head whispered to me. Showed me you, living in the shadows. The witch promised to release you to me. An exchange for the shiny little poppet, and a promise."

"But we evil luv," Spike reminded, "We don't have to keep promises."

"Hmmm, GRR.. Bad dog" Dru laughed. "So right you are. I will have you back whole my Spike, and we will take the shining one for ourselves. He will be one of us someday when he is ready. And them we will be family forever. Mummy, Daddy, and little boys times two" Dru sang as she jumped up and down, clapping her hands.

Spike stiffened when Dru mention little boys. The dreams of his mother rushing back with the image of a child lying on a bed of white.
"Uh pet?" he asked cautiously, "What is this now? I thought it would be the two of us? Ya know, demons against the world..What.."

"SHH!" Dru held her fingers up to his mouth, he instinctively suck one inside and watched as her grin widen. "We must be quiet. No need for the nasty witch to hear of our betrayal. Least not until it's too late. Too late.. Too late." She sang.
"We must let her believe we are united. Our prince says our shining one is not yet fit for travel. He sleeps and sleeps and cannot awaken" She pouted. She pulled his head down to whisper in his ear, "They are keeping him asleep, keeping him from us. But they cannot keep in the world of dreams forever. Sooner or later, our shinning little son will be returned to us."

"Son? Drusilla," Spike began patiently, "Where is this..son"

"I think you've said enough for now...Mother, "A voice interrupted.

Spike had been in L. A long enough to recognize who it was. The resemblance was unmistakable.

"Connor."

"Ohh my love. My prince." Dru bounced over to Conner, kissing him full on the lips. When she pulled back, she noticed his sneer, and the jealousy in his eyes as he regarded Spike.

"Ohh my sweet boy," Drusilla coed, "None of that now. Daddy doesn't mind sharing. He's done so before." She grinned and threw a wicked glance at Spike.

"Sure thing Luv." Spike smiled and hoped to hell he looked and sound convincing, "The more the merrier. Two are better than one, isn't that right?"

"And shining baby will someday soon make three." Dru grinned as Spike paled. He felt bile rising in his throat at the intent of her words.

"Well, he played second string for my father. I'm sure he won't mind...warming the bed for me" Connor looked at Spike with disdain.

"You'd better watch that mouth boy." Spike warned taking a few steps forward.

"Why William? Planning on boring me to death with bad poetry?"

"Why you little piss ant" Spike started forward eyes furious and fist clenched only to be halted by Drusilla.

"Boys, Boys." No need to fight over me. Least, not yet" Dru grinned and winked, "We will all be on our best behavior until your brother is well, and Spike can be made whole." She warned, looking mostly at Connor.

"Then, she grinned. "Let the games begin"
allies by emilyo
The days passed surprisingly quickly for Spike. He spent his time testing his strength and reflexes whilst alone and was pleased and surprised to find that they were fairly good. Much more so than he would have expected from a mortal, and defiantly better than his former human self. In fact he was so much improved that he wondered if he was even truly human.. Perhaps he was some sort of breathing, heart beating demon hybrid? Hell he didn't even need glasses this time around. Which was definitely a plus. He didn't want to go back to that..weakness.

Spike still had very little information about what he was, or how they manage to re-corporeallize him, and like this, instead of a vampire.

He was trying to get something out of Drusilla. He shared a bed with Drusilla every night, but beside from her feeding off him, she pretty wanted nothing more. Said the soul was a turn off and that he was too 'hot', and not in a good way. Thank God cause the thought of havin' to get her off was leaving him ill. He honestly never seen himself so flaccid. Usually he could fake something even in the worst of cases. His mind flashed to a particularly horrible night with that female grouse troll and a little bar bet he lost. But he had given that greasy 500 pound skank the ride of her life. Whatever was wrong, he seriously hoped it wasn't a permanent condition. Humanity certainly wasn't worth the loss of little spike.

Still having her in his bed made it easier to get some information out of her. She was surprisingly tight lipped though. Even in her most loony tune of moments, he couldn't piece together much of what wasn't happening. Except..
Except that the boy wasn't getting better.

Drusilla was bedside herself now with grief over her 'Shinning treasure'. He had tried to get her to take him to where they kept the boy, but the witch wouldn't allow it. And she was keeping careful watch. She hadn't bother to grace Spike with her presence yet. Which was fine with him. He could fool crazy Dru, but the witch.. She might be harder.

So he simply sat in Dru's presence, or lied in her bed waiting and listening. He heard her mumble stuff about 'not letting Spike close to the boy', or Spike won't full-fill his destony if he gets to the boy'

What Spike hadn't figured out was what the fuck he was suppose to do, and how this boy fit into it. All he knew was this

A. They needed the boy alive. If he died now, whatever they were seeking would be lost.
B. They needed him alive, and human with a soul to carry out their plan.
C. Tensions were high because the boy was worse instead of better. How bad off, Spike could only guess.
D. The witch was blaming everyone and everything (cept herself) for the boys' state and the *delay*in works, minions were being snuffed out in truckloads.
E. They were..scared..,was the best word Spike could come up with. Of him simply being in the same room with the boy.

It was the last part Spike concentrated on with the most tenacity. Somehow he and this boy, the boy he assumed was from the dream, were connected. They were both needed for...something. It was the middle who what why and how that was driving Spike insane with frustration.

Connor burst into the chamber breaking Spike's thoughts. He sneered at him, letting a little fang show to prove his superiority. He set down some fresh clothes, before thrusting his daily portion of gruel at him onto the table were he sat.

Spike took the bowl, not bothering to rise to the bait. He and Connor had come to an understanding. They hated each other, but were stuck with one another for the moment. So there was no use in getting all stirred up and riling Dru further. She was at wits end as is and for Dru, being the original fruitcake of the month, that was saying a lot.

"So" Spike began. "How's things?" He asked captiously. Surprisingly enough, It was Connor who was letting more and more information about the boy slip out.

"No change." Connor said simply.

Spike nodded his head and picked at the sludge that was breakfast.

Connor turned to go. Turned back, than around again. Spike watch with perplexed amusement as the young vampire seemed to dance a circle before him. Finally, the young man seemed to make a decision. He turned toward Spike and met his gaze dead on, his faced resolved. "Would you take him?". He asked.

"What"? Spike frowned.

"If I gave you a chance. Gave you everything you'd need to walk right out of here into the day light. Would you take him and never return?" Connor's eyes flicked to the ground.

Spike rose from his seat. "What kind of fucked up trick is this?" He growled.

"No trick." Connor said simply. He pulled a small bag off the side of him and began unloading contents as he spoke, "I want my un-life back." A small paper that looked to be hand-drawn map of the compound, complete with rooms and guard placements were placed on the table. "I want my mother back in my arms, my bed. I want you to leave. To never have to see or hear about her damn Knight ever again. And dammit I want to sleep with out having her haunting me evey damn night!" He shook the bag over the table, eyes blazing gold with anger as a hunting knife and three stakes clanged down onto the wood's surface.
"There is some money and jewelry stashed in the dresser over there he pointed. This is the quickest way to his room. There is more stuff stashed there. Then you'd have to go back out to here, where a car will be waiting."

"Let me get this straight" Spike rose and smirked at the younger man, "You expect me to drag myself and some half-dead kid though half this compound. Fight a way out for myself and for him, and get away from here all undetected by a master vampire, a few dozen minions, and the she-witch from hell? Boy you are off your rocker. How hard in the head did that fake father of yours hit you as a lad?"

Connor's eyes stared angrily at him, with eyes blazing yellow, "Never discuss my father's with me. Either of them"

"Whatever Jr., point is, it's hopeless. Never be able to make it all the way from here." Spike pointed to the map for emphasis, "To here. Dragging a sick kid with me besides."

"Your stronger than you know,"Connor explained, "And the minions and few and weak now. The witch keeps killing them off, and Dru. She's been making too many for too long now. They grow weaker and weaker with each generation Plus, he hasn't been strong enough to hunt."
"Even at her best, she never did make proper minions, or chide's, did she?" Conner looked at his *brother* and gave a faint smile.

"No," Spike chuckled, " We all a little..off. Huh, just like her."

Connor's smile faded, "I'll take care of most of the minions and the witch. I'll give you what you need to take out Dru for a few hours. She trust you and won't be expecting it. When she comes to you next. Just slip her this. He held up a powder. That should take care of her for a while. You are NOT to harm Dru any further cause if you do I will hunt you down..."

"Not gonna hurt Dru," Spike said sincerely, "I loved her once too. Just not ready to go down that vampiric path again ya know. Been there, done that, got the tea shirt. Thought a lot 'bout this. Been givin' another shot and I'm gonna have me a go. Don't mean I'm ready to see Dru swept up into a Hoover."

Connor shook his head in acknowledgement. "Be ready tomorrow night. When she comes to you, be ready." Connor turned to go once more.

"Wait.." Spike instinctively reached out then pulled his hand back as he met Connor's gaze. "Why?"

"Told you, I want things the way they were. And.. He's.. He's not healing and he should be. He's going to die. They'll let him die rather than... He'll die unless he leaves this place." Connor explained and Spike swore he saw tears in the younger man's eyes.

"So!" Spike bated.

Connor growled and pushed his face right up into Spike's, " I thought you were to take him, protect him!!" He shouted.

"Never said I wasn't. Just wondering why you, a demon, is so interested in this one boy? Or is it that Mummy's' more fascinated with him than you!?" Spike shouted and then waited.

"Yes.." Connor admitted, "And..We are the same. Him and me. I was him once. We are brother's and he deserves..a chance. Can you give him that? Will you swear to protect him?" Connor asked.

"Yeah. Till the end of the world, "Spike answered.
escape by emilyo
Why the hell would anyone want to be human!? There is pain and sickness; ageing and death. Who the hell would willingly sign up for that again!? Especially when they knew there was so much more out there?

Now, Spike had thought a lot about this all day and into the evening; as they day rapidly speed by him like a race car. He had been a pathetic human; and back then he'd been a well-to-do nobleman, with nothing to worry about except social responsibilities. Christ, he even managed to fuck that up. Now here he was, human again. Human's needed money, and clothes and food. What kind of job could he get? He didn't think a life of stealing would get him too far. People who stole went to prison. Based on Spike's little stint trapped in L.A., he knew incarceration was so not for him. So what else could he do? What kind of job could a 120 year old ex vampire qualify for. Humans looking for jobs needed papers. Where the hell would he come up with that?

Now somewhere in his head, Spike knew he was panicking, but many of his points were valid. He didn't owe the universe anything.
He certainly didn't owe this kid, whoever he was, anything. He didn't ask to be brought back. He hadn't been prepared to be human again. He wasn't sure he could function as a human again. More importantly, he wasn't sure he even wanted to.

She came to him in the early morning hours; when the day was turning, but the blackness of the night still ruled. It was the time she always came to him, for him By then, he had made his decision.

"Drusilla, my pet. You've come for me." Spike smiled, and held out his arms.

Drusilla rushed into his embrace, "Ohh Spike!," she moaned, "I've been ever so vexed. My sweet prize is unwell. I feel him slipping further and further away into darkness. They mean to take him away Spike. My prize! Take him away rather than let me keep him. They mean to steal my prize from me!, " she cried.

"Shh pet," He soothed, as he caressed her "Won't ever happen."

Spike held Drusilla in his arms, running his fingers soothingly up and down her back as she sobbed into his chest. While holding her close, he spoke gently to her. "What we need to do is take him away pet. I mean look at this dank hole. Who could be restored here? With that bitch breathing down everyone's neck, staining the air with her wretchedness. No, see, here's what we do. We go away, just the four of us. Then we'll restore me to my demony self, and I'll see to it that the boy gets well. You'll have your prize Drusilla, and anything else you desire."

Spike tipped her chin up to look at him and gazed into her eyes. "I promise you pet", he swore solemnly. "Just take Daddy to him and we'll see bout leaving this cursed place." His gaze bored into her.
"Trust me."
things we do for love by emilyo
Connor had successfully taken care of the most of the minions left. They were easy to dispose of. They had been continually getting stupider and stupider, not to mention very weak.

'Dru's been under a lot of presser. Having to keep up with replacing the minions that the little bitch kills so recklessly. Soon as I have her to myself, she'll be whole again', He reasoned. He just needed to get her out of this pit, and someplace befitting the goddess that she was. She'll see that he was doing it all for her. For love. She'll forgive him. She had to.

With the minions gone, that had just left the witch, and she had proved to be more difficult. Much more difficult. But he had a few tricks up his sleeve the young witch never suspected. Dru had been around a long time and had taught her young childe well.

It had been glorious, seeing the bitch cut down once and for all. As he sat watching the corridor, the moment of his triumph came back to him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He descended on her, keeping a meek imagine in the forefront of his mind. She needed to believe that he was here for the cause.

She sat upon her throne, watching him warily, oblivious to the deceptions going on not two feet from her. Prideful superiority gets them every time.

Connor moved closer and silently kneeled at her feet. He patiently waited until he was given permission for this impromptu audience.

"Well boy!," she addressed him, even though she was not much older than he., "Why are you bothering me with your loathsome presence. Isn't there more pressing things to be done? Where is the boy? Has he finally awoken? Who is watching that bleached windbag? And where are the new minions? My throne need polishing, and I need more clothes if I'm to stay in this hellhole one more night!" She demanded.

'Not a problem', Connor thought, but then quickly erased it.
"Oh great restorer," Connor said, laying it on thick,"We..We have encountered a slight..difficulty."

"What game is this boy!!" The witch challenged. This little one had always shown disdain for her. Never before appreciating her power or position as ambassador to the First. 'What is he up to?' she thought.

Connor knew the witch wasn't stupid. Blinded by pride and power, but not stupid. All of this he used to his advantage as he addressed her. "You have no reason to believe in me. But I believe in you." His blue eyes gazed at her intently as he spoke.

Noticing her shock expression, he continued, "I was not raised in this world. I have no reason to preserve it. I am ready to embrace our destiny. But..Mother. She's is..attached to the boy, and her bastard knight! You should know. You've seen her entering his room, his bed. She keeps the boy in the world of dreams while awaiting her lover strength to grow. She means to leave here with them. She means to betray you..Betray the way!"

"That Bitch!!", The witch screamed as she swooped down upon Connor, grabbing him by the throat while he was still on his knees "You dare come to me with this? You dare expect me to hear these words and believe you to betray your sire?"

"You know them to be true or you would have killed me!" Connor managed to gargle out. "She never intended to release the boy or the human. She wants them for herself. She wants them..and not me." He added sullenly.

The witch released Connor. She allowed him to stand , than addressed him. "You have chosen correctly young one. The way is too mighty to be defeated. We will take steps to condemn the traitors and retrieve the prize!!" She turned to go and Connor caught her by the arms.

"Please ohh goddess," He begged allowing his had to graze seductively down her arms , "Let me be the one. She betrayed me as well. It is my right, as family, to exact revenge."

For a brief moment she leaned into his embrace. It had been so long she allowed such a contact, especially a willing one. Usually she just took what she wanted, as she herself had been taken so long ago. She soon nodded her consent and moved from his grasp. She stood next to him, her eyes burning into him. And then he saw it. Desire.

'Got ya.' He thought quickly before filling his mind with lust and need. Lust and need for the witch.
He dropped to his knees. "Oh my beautiful goddess. You cannot imagine how many a night I have dreamed of your sufferance."
"Please allow me..to..service you. I am you willing slave! Use me as you will!"

For a brief moment Connor panicked, not positive she'd bought it. But then the witch halled him to her and crushed her mouth onto him in a bruising kiss.

'She likes it rough. I can do rough' he grinned against her mouth and waited for his cue.

She pulled the hair on the back if his head, ripping him from her mouth. She stepped directly into his line of site, and slowly dropped her layer of clothes one by one. When she stood naked before him, she opened her arms.
"I will allow you to worship me." she called to him.

Connor didn't waste time on thinking. He pretty much shut his brain off and gave his body over to the demon. The demon who would partake in any pleasure offered. No matter how..nauseating.
"My goddess,", He cried, "Your beauty is blinding." he swore as he crawled to her and got on his knees. His tongue found her clit and he laved at her worshipfully.
His tongue continued to pleasure the witch as she moaned and grabbed his head. Connor lapped at her over and over again, his hands grabbing her ass as he held her cunt to his face. He kept her there until he felt all tension draining from her. Until he felt her becoming..his. So mindless in the pleasure he was bringing her, she didn't notice when one had slip away from her to clutch at the weapon held deep in the crotch of his pants.

The witch felt him pull at his zipper, but let it go, figuring that he was about to increase her pleasure. The weapon he pulled out wasn't the one she was expecting. He pulled back swiftly and just as quickly, plunged the blade of Dragoone into her gut.

The Blade of Dragoone
Forged by the great wizard of it's name.
A blade both blessed and cursed by the great evil, created to be it's tool.
The blade used to cut a small boys' hand not three days ago.
The same blade meant to steal his life, at his father's hand.

The satisfaction Connor felt as he watch the witch's widen expression of surprise, the smell of fear, was absolutely the most fantastic moment of his existence. For a minute, Connor thought that maybe he'd actually get an organism out of the deal.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Hmm" Conner signed in satisfaction. Yeah, he'd have the witch's taste in his mouth, clinging to his tongue like mold to tile, but it was a small price to pay for his dark goddess. And for memory of her lying there, crumpled on her factitious throne, to rot in hell for all eternity.

Conner looked at his watch. Dru went into his room long ago. He should be out by now. Connor expected him to come out the door any minute now. What he didn't expect was to see him smiling and flirting..with his dark goddess, as they both exited the room.
doorways by emilyo
Spike nuzzled and whispered endearments as he cuddled up to Drusilla, allowing her to lead him through the maze of corridors, a bag of things he'd need..as a traveling human, slung on his shoulder

Drusilla giggled and leaned into him, soaking up his love and devotion until she froze. Spike looked up at her with concern and saw her standing in front of a doorway.

"Curious? All of the little ones have gone away." Spike figured she meant the minions and rushed to soothed her.

"Forget them pet. I's just you and me now."

"And baby makes three!" She giggled. Spike noticed, and not for the first time, that she seemed to have completely forgotten about Connor.

"C'mon pet," He encourage, "Show Daddy what's behind door number one."

"Hmm, "She laughed psychotically and held a finger to her lip, indication quiet. She pushed the door open and entered the chamber.

A wretched odor of charred flesh and blood, and overall sickness hit Spike as the air in the chamber wafted out in to the hall. Even with his somewhat de-enhanced senses, Spike had to cover his nose, as his eyes watered. He watched Drusilla walk into the room as if nothing was amiss.

"Tsk, Connor has not finished cleaning him for today." she grabbed a can or aerisol air freshener and began spraying over the length of the boy.

Spike moved to still her hand, he gently grabbed to can and set it aside. He then turned and froze.


Chapter 43: Whispered goodbyes.

Now, Spike had seen a lot in his long un-life. He had visit unspeakable horror on many a human, some of them children. But the site before him stung at him like nothing ever had before. His heart constricted painfully in his chest and he felt bile rising in his throat at the imagine that lied before him.

It was the boy. The one from the dream. That much he was certain. But there was no bright field for this boy. No comfortable bed of soothing white. The boy lay on a filthy mattress thrown carelessly on the floor. There was a bucket of dirty water and some soap lying nearby, but from the look, and smell of it; it had been quite a while since this child had had a good washing.

Spike heart ached in a way he'd never known as his eyes traveled over the boy. His hair was matted, covered with bits of dirt and blood. He was a sickly shade of pale, which accented the dark lines under his eyes and bruises on his face and neck. A couple of the bruises had finger like shapes and Spike guessed that Drusilla had probably resorted to trying to beat him awake. His body was hidden buy a thin sheet, but Spike could see that he was painfully thin and that his right arm hung down at an odd angle. Spike pushed back his emotions and bent down to touch the child. He placed two fingers on the side of the child's neck and was relieved to feel a steady, albeit weak pulse.

He closed his eyes, willing the tears forming away.

"Such a shame" He heard her say, "He really was a very pretty boy. Will he be pretty again Spike? Can you make our boy pretty again.?"

Spike composed himself and rose to his feet. "Not gonna make promises pet" He admitted, "First we need to get out of here. Does he have..You have any..things..of his?"

Drusilla pointed to a crate at the corner of the room. Spike grabbed one of the fancy pillow cases on off the bed, ignoring Drusilla's whimper of protest.

In the crate, he found some clothes and shoes and...diapers? He gave a look back at Dru, than to the boy, than Dru again and raised his eyebrow.

"He makes messes in his sleep." she pouted. "Connor insisted on those. "She pointed, wrinkling her nose. "Connor insisted it necessary. I wanted simply to plug the orifice so nothing would come out, but Connor wouldn't let me. He is more like his father than I had thought, always spoiling my fun he is."

Spike just nodded, and continued his task of packing. Briefly he wondered as he looked at the rapidly filling pillowcase, why she hadn't placed the boy in the bed. 'She probably didn't want to ruin the linens' he mused.

When he came to the last item in crate, a small red baseball cap, he stilled again and simply stared at it cradled in his hand.

For some reason, this tiny item made Spike heart constrict again. He chocked back a couple of tears as stood.

"Drusilla. We need cash, or jewels. Stuff we can sell. What you got lying around pet?"

Drusilla stood before him. Her eyes vacant. "The witch Spike" she whispered. "She is fighting. Fighting not to leave the world. She's been drawn and quartered, yet fights to remain still. C..Connor."

Spike moved to embrace her and nuzzled her ear. "Forget them pet. Leave them to each other. There is just you and me..and the boy. Let's go and finish packing pet. Let's leave this place."

Drusilla broke from her vision, nodded and smiled. She pointed to a dresser on the far wall. Spike found some money and jewelry and quickly added them to his sack. He than grabbed another pillow case and threw in some of Drusilla's clothes.

Looking around the room, he circled it and grabbed anything useful he could come up with. Satisfied that he had cleaned the place out, he went to the door and listened. He felt an odd tingle in his spine and strangely he just..knew, that there were still some vampires alive and kicking in the hall. And one of them was close...very close.

"Drusilla, any of those trinkets, " Spike pointed to the set of dolls stacked against the dresser, "you want to accompany us, you better grab them now."

Drusilla rushed to her *babies*, and began to sooth their hair, whispering to them about the little trip they'd be going on.

She never even noticed when Spike snuck up behind her, and gagged her with a cloth filled with some ether he had found earlier.

She struggled for a moment, and Spike surprisingly held his own. Soon her movements ceased as she slumped unconscious in Spike's arms.

Spike gently lowered her to the ground. "Sorry pet, "he mummer as he kissed her forehead, "But it's time for me to be my own man. Connor will take right good care of you. He's even younger and stupider than I was, if that's possible." Spike rose to his feet and took one last look at his *goddess*.

"Goodbye my Love", he whispered, and just then as he spoke the word love, he meant it.


Chapter 44: Determined:

Spike wasted little more time. He found some rope and bound the pillow cased together with his own bag and tied them to his waste, leaving his hands free to gently scoop up the boy. Spike tried to stay as emotionless as possible as he held the broken child in his arms. For a split second, a remnant of the old Spike spoke to him.

'Leave the child. He'll be nothing but trouble Slow you down he will.. Best to forget him. Leave him behind. Leave him behind' The voice urged.

"No!" Spike shouted to, seemingly, himself. "I've a job to do." He said, determined.
So with the boy lying limply in his arms, he took a deep breath and walk out into the hall.
confrontations by emilyo
Spike managed to get a little ways down the maze of hallways. He blinked and closed his eyes several times, trying to pull of imagines of the memorized map.

Spike whole body tingled with every step he took. He remembered the slayer talkin' about that *spidy sense*, and he could feel his own fear rising up throughout his body. He tried to squash the emotion and move forward when the tingling went into hyper-overdrive.
Quickly he looked to the side to see two vamps charging down the other hall toward him.

'Think fast. Think fast Spike.'
Oh well, no time to think..

He clutched the boy tighter, and jumped up and landed a swift kick right into the center chest of one or the vampire's. He was a little stunned to see it fly a foot into the air and crash onto the floor in a broken heap. The other vamp snarled angrily at him and Spike moved to kick again, but missed when the vamp ducked and rolled out of the way.

Spike saw another vamp charging forth, he quickly ducked to the side, and as the vamp lunged toward him. The vamp whooshed by and stumbled into the other vamp, knocking them both to the ground.

Spike used the moment to gather himself and flee down the hall, only to find yet another vampire blocking his path.

'Bugger.' Spike thought, 'This is taking care of the minions?' When I get my hands on Connor'.

As if on cue, Spike saw said Vamp come up to stake one of the minion blocking Spike's way. Spike used the distraction to land a kick to the lone vamp on his side. The kick sent the vampire soaring with the added benefit of it landing on a wooden spike jutting out of the wall and instantly turning to dust.

"Huh, " Spike chuckled "My first as a human. Looks like I just popped my dusting cherry."

Spike turned back around and wasn't surprised to see that Connor had made quick work of the other vamp.

"Took you long enough!" Spike complained.

"I could say the same about you." Was Connor's retort, "Drusilla?"

"Is sleeping peacefully; only a slight change in the plan, but I got the job done all they same." Spike emphasized by clutching the boy closer.

"Not yet you haven't" Connor stated. He pointed to a corridor that Spike recognized from memory. It led down to a shed. In that shed was a car, waiting.
Beyond it was..freedom.

Spike hesitated only for a moment as he looked at Connor. "You care for her." He warned.

Connor moved toward Spike and extended his hand out to just touch the boys hair. Connor's eyes never left the child as he spoke to Spike. "You care for him." He stated quietly.

Spike nodded and started down the hallway. When he heard Connor call., he turned to face the young vamp.

"Here," Conner offered, "You'll need this."

He tossed something to Spike. Instinctively, Spike held his fingers out from underneath the boy, and in landed the amulet.
Spike let surprise slip onto his features for just a moment before replacing it with a mask of indifference. He clutch the amulet and the boy, nodded to Connor, and took off down the hall. His trot quickly turned into a run as he sped further and further away from Connor.

Connor watched them go with mixed feelins.

'Feelings. I'm not suppose to have those.'
He sighed, di1gusted with himself as he prepaed to gather Dru and take his oUn leave of this cursed place. He did however have one last thought before he turned to reclaim his love.

'This one's for you mom'
"Now quit bugging me and let me sleep!'
1unshine by emilyo
Spike met no more resistance as he came out ot of the cavern into a barn. He found the car, complete with keys, waiting for him.

He quickly lay the boy into the front seat, and tossed his merger supplies in the back. He climbed in, gunned the engine, and was more than satisfied as he crashed the car through the wall of the barn.

As he speed out away from the ca4ern, he hadn't gotten more than a few feet when he immediately lammed on the break, the blindiLg brightness outside the barn both stunning and terrifying him. The car spun into a 180 on the dirt road and skidded to a stop.

"Damn stupid git!" Spike cused.

The sun. The sun was shinning merrily down upon him in a non-fatal way, and yet he had been terrified by it.

"Better get used to it mate" He warned himself as he kicked the car back into gear. He took a look at the boy. Satisfied that the child had not been further injured in the abrupt stop, Spike sped off. Away form the cavern; away from the witch and his former vampiric family; away from the last remnants of his old life. He left them all behind, never to be seen again.

Or so he hoped.

The blond haired woman spanned across the heavens looking for her *sister*. She found her in her favorite spot; a little brook surrounded by willow trees.

Her *sister* always sought out this place when she was worried. The other blond saw her *sister* approach and stood to greet her. The two *sisters* grasped hands. Blue eyes met hazel as the first sister spoke. "He's got him. They are safe.. for now." Tears welled up in the woman's hazel eyes as she grabbed her *sister* in a fierce embrace, all the while thanking the powers that this leg of their journey was finally over.

The relay, however, was just beginning.
something other than dead by emilyo
"Hrggg!!"

A large groan filled the emptiness of the cavern. It was quickly followed by shouts and curses.

"THEY THINK THEY COULD DEFEAT ME!! THE PROFIT OF THE GREATEST EVIL OF THE DIMENTIONS!! THEY DARE TO DEFY ME!! TO BETRAY ME!!."

The witch rose from her throne and looked around the abandoned hall. 'This is just a temporary set back.' She thought. She smiled to herself as she saw the Blade of Dragone lying carelessly on the floor.

"Yes.." She hissed. "Just a little set back"

She held the blade to her palm and made a quick slice. She held her bloodied hand in a fist as she swore "By my blood, I will reclaim what was stolen. I will restore the way. And those who betrayed me..Will suffer eternal torment. This by the true Powers of the universe, I swear it!"

She made her way through the cavern, all the while plotting her next move, and savoring her thoughts of revenge, but also awaiting the wrath of the First, which she knew would come. It was okay, she was to be punished and she excepted it. But those who had betrayed her would be punished as well.

Ahh revenge. How sweet it would be.
a plan by emilyo
Spike drove for what seemed like years. He was exhausted and his whole body ached. His head was pounding, his throat dry from thirst and he was pretty sure the immense pain and rumblings in his gut was due to hunger; the non-liquidy kind. God, what had he been thinking? He should have just let Dru turn him.

All his feelings of inadequacy bubbled up through him and he began to tremble with fear and frustration.
'Can't do this.' He thought, "Can't be human. Can't help this boy. Can't help anyone.'

He drove the car off the rode into the desert. He slammed into park and scrambled out, falling to his knees.
Tears poured from his eyes and sobs erupted from his throat. He quickly grew angry with himself. He'd become just as pathetic a human as William ever was.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out the amulet. Jumping to his feet he ranted at it.

"YOU!", He screamed at it. "This is all your fault. Had to make me want to be better. Had to let me save the world. THIS is the thanks I get!!??"
"UHH," He moaned and than began to laugh in spite of himself.

He looked at the amulet again, and had thoughts of just hurling the thing away from him. But Connor had said that he would need it.
And something inside Spike knew this to be true. He was tied to this amulet. Both he, and that child lying unconscious in the car. Somehow he just knew this to be true.
He sighed, tucked the amulet back in his pocket, and started pacing.

'Ok.', he thought, 'Time to prioritize'. Spike was a survivor. He wouldn't have made it 120 years with Drusilla, if he wasn't. He would improvise, adapt, and overcome.

So he quickly ticked off a list of things to do:

A. Find shelter, with running water. He and the kid were quickly getting ripe, and way passing their expiration dates.
B. Find a settlement. He needed to beg, borrow and steal for clothes and supplies. Preferably in reverse order.
C. He needed to pawn what he had and what he could steal for some quick cash.
D. He needed to figure put where the hell he was, and where he needed to go.
E. Most important, he needed a place to hold up..to tend to the boy.

Spike could have spend hours revising the list, but that would have just made his head hurt more. The basic needs had to be attended to first. Food..Clothing..Shelter..
Than he could consider other problems; like where he was; where he was going; how to help this boy.

Spike walked back to the car, slumped into the driver seat. Driving the exact opposite way of the cavern was his best bet. When you don't know where to go, the best plan is to go in the opposite direction of where you knew you did not want to be.
Hopefully, sooner or later he'd come along a settlement and get his bearings straight. What then? He had to decide on some sort of destination.

"Let my heart lead. Let my heart lead." He mumbled to himself. He gripped the steering wheel and lay his head upon it. He sat and searched deep within himself. What does his heart..want?


He didn't have to wait long. He knew what his heart wanted. What had it always wanted for so long now?
"Buffy" He sighed. He wanted Buffy.

He wanted to lie in her arms. He wanted to hold her. To feel her holding him. Buffy could help him. She could help the boy.
It's what they did. Right?

"No. NO! Stupid git." His own voice told him. "You don't even know where she is. Besides she'd retired. Off living her normal life, with her boring, normal boy toy. Besides you have no idea what this kid is. You could be unleashing somethin' evil on the lot of them.
No! Under no circumstances can you seek out Buffy."

Then where? He frantically tried to think of where they could go. Who did he know who would be charitable enough to take them in, yet stupid enough that Spike could con them should he need to make a quick get away? Who did he know that had the resources to find out about himself and the kid, yet gullible enough so Spike could easily use them to his advantage?

Then, all of the sudden, they very person they needed filtered into Spike's brain. That's it! That was perfect, and suddenly Spike knew exactly where he needed to go. He took a look at the boy, still lying unconscious on the seat.

"Don't worry kid." Spike said, "Old Spike's got it all figured out."

Look out L. A.
California here we come.


To be continued. book 2

this story is completed
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=11212