Never Alone by Gerbnednav
Summary: Set after NFA when the Powers that Be decide that one isn't finished with their calling others are given a second chance. All new chapters first time posted.
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 60407 Read: 27522 Published: 05/16/2005 Updated: 04/30/2006

1. prologue by Gerbnednav

2. 1 by Gerbnednav

3. 2 by Gerbnednav

4. 3 by Gerbnednav

5. 4 by Gerbnednav

6. 5 by Gerbnednav

7. 6 by Gerbnednav

8. 7 by Gerbnednav

9. chapter 8 by Gerbnednav

10. Chapter 9 by Gerbnednav

11. Chapter 10 by Gerbnednav

12. chapter 11 by Gerbnednav

13. chapter 12 by Gerbnednav

14. chapter 13 by Gerbnednav

15. chapter 14 by Gerbnednav

16. chapter 15 by Gerbnednav

17. chapter 16 by Gerbnednav

18. chapter 17 by Gerbnednav

19. chapter 18 by Gerbnednav

20. chapter 19 by Gerbnednav

21. chapter 20 by Gerbnednav

22. chapter 21 by Gerbnednav

23. chapter 22 by Gerbnednav

24. chapter 23 by Gerbnednav

25. chapter 24 by Gerbnednav

26. Chapter 25 by Gerbnednav

27. chapter 26 by Gerbnednav

28. chapter 27 by Gerbnednav

prologue by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
All of this has been beta'd by the wonderful Vicki! Many thanks. Please feel free to review I welcome all comments whether positive or negative. Thank you!
Disclaimer: I only own my house, my car and my cats. I don't even own my husband. So goes without saying that the prospect of owning any of the wonderful (or not so wonderful) characters or ideas from the Jossverse is just ludicrous when you think about it. They own them not me and they have the lawyers to prove it.

Takes place during the episode NFA season 5 of Angel.


********

Prologue


Buffy bolted upright in bed, a stifled scream stuck in her throat. She glanced nervously around the room trying to take in her surroundings. She ran a shaky hand over her face as she realized it was just a very nasty dream.

"Gotta stop eating so much ice cream before bed.” she muttered to herself.

She let out a little sigh and shook her head. Throwing back the covers she got up and headed for the bedroom door thinking a little breakfast will help make her feel better.

As her bare feet padded down the hallway and stepped into the kitchen she couldn't help but notice how quiet the apartment was and how alone it makes her feel. She reached into a cupboard and grabbed a can of coffee. As she pulled the can out of the cabinet her mind started flooding with the details of the dream.

Spike, Illyria, Gunn and Angel were standing in a dark alleyway facing the rushing horde of demons.

"In terms of a plan?" Spike asked.

"We fight." drawls Angel.

"Bit more specific?"

"Well personally I kinda want to slay the dragon." He looked at the group "Lets go to work."

Angel grabbed the nearest demon by the throat and threw him back into three others and they crashed to the ground. Spike kicked the nearest demon in the chest and he went flying backwards, making contact with a dumpster. Illyria punched a demon in the face and twisted the neck of a second one. Gunn managed to swing his sword and cut the head off an attacking demon but lost his balance and fell to the ground. A second one took advantage and lunged at him with a knife stabbing him in the chest. Grimacing in pain, Gunn brought his sword up and pushed it through the demons chest as he fell back unconscious.

The remaining three backed into each other and formed a triangle. They fought the constant stream of enemies as fast as possible. Angel picked up a sword from a fallen demon and launched it into the air at the dragon. It let out a shrill scream and bashed its wings into the others. Knocked to the ground they were quickly surrounded.

Spike was at the bottom of a pile of demons throwing punch after punch. One by one he threw them off and reached out to take a sword from the nearest beast. He charged and ran it through.

Illyria was still fighting but was separated from the others by the group closing in on her. She struggled with one finally propelling him into the air. She tried to kick the next one but was perplexed when it grabbed her leg and stopped her. Three more started to rush her and she managed to hit two of them but the third made it behind her and swung his sword taking her head clean off. Her body crumbled to the ground.

Angel was also surrounded but saw Illyria as her body hit the ground. With a roar he changed into game face and started hacking away with his sword, attacking anything that moved but more and more just kept coming. He looked over his shoulder and saw Spike, also in game face, still fighting.

Spike was flanked by demons on all sides. Tauntingly he gestured at them to charge him. Six demons ran towards Spike at once and a seventh bent down picking up a stray piece of wood. He hit the first and the second while the third got in a lucky punch and two others grabbed him. The seventh one saunterd over to Spike, the stake spinning in his hand. Spike's eyes went large as the demon pulled back and pushed the stake home. He exploded in a cloud of dust.

Angel was alone now, a determined smile played across his lips as demon after demon piled on top of him. The sound of a sword was heard slicing through the air. Slowly the demons backed with away nothing left to fight.


Focusing again Buffy looked down at the coffee can in her hand. She noticed that she was shaking uncontrollably. A loud sob escaped from her and she crumpled to the floor.

*******

Buffy stood in her living room dressed in some blue jeans and a white tank. She was pacing back and forth trying to be patient.

"Yes Giles, I do know that it was a dream but if the other slayers are having it too don't you think it might mean something?" a hint of frustration crept into her voice.

"Buffy don't you think you might be over reacting a little? Your feelings for both of them might be clouding your judgment?" She could swear she heard him cleaning his glasses over the line. "You know that Spike is dead."

"NO! No Giles I am not over-reacting. And I haven't forgotten the fact that he died you know." She sighed, "You know that slayer dreams are never exactly as they seem. I just have a feeling that there is something going on in LA."

"I still don't think it is necessary Buffy, after all he did choose to change sides on his own."

Buffy could feel the irritation rising in her. "Look could you just do some research and figure out what's going on? It will make me feel a whole lot better."

Giles sighed into the line. "Alright, just take care of yourself. I'll call you as soon as we know something."

"Thank you Giles. Tell Dawn that I miss her. I'll talk to you soon." She hung up the phone.

She sighed and ran a hand through her blond hair. She knew that Willow was waiting for her across town and she needed to get going but she couldn't get that damn dream out of her head. Her head was starting to ache a bit from thinking about it so hard. But she had to know what it meant. She thought back to the last seconds she had spent with him holding his hand telling him that she loved him. She couldn't believe that he hadn't wanted to believe her. She sighed again. She knew this line of thinking would start her crying again. Blinking hard she pushed the tears back. She walked over and grabbed her purse and walked out the front door.


******

Willow sat in front of the entrance to the mall the sun shining on her back. She smiled as Buffy walked towards her.

"Hey."

"Hey Wills." Buffy grabbed her and gave her a long hug. "I've missed you."

"Missed you too Buff." She sat back down on the bench.

"Sooo what brings you all the way out here? Besides the shopping."

"Needed a change of scenery for a while." She ducked her head. "Figured you might be ready for the company now." She brought her head back up and gave a dazzling smile. "Besides Rio is overrated."

"And what about Kennedy?" Buffy asked as she sat next to her.

"We broke up. She and I just kind of were too different you know?"

"I'm sorry Will." she laid a comforting hand on her friends shoulder.

"It's alright Buffy. I mean since when did any of us have relationships that worked out."

"We are quite a bunch aren't we?" Buffy asked her eyes sad again.

Willow just nodded her head. "Well should we go in?"

"Yeah I really need to do some therapy shopping." Together they stood and walked into the mall.

*********

Willow and Buffy were sitting in her living room talking quietly when the phone started ringing.

"Hello."

"Hi Buffy how are you?"

Buffy groaned inwardly, she so wasn’t in the mood. "Andrew, I'm fine how are you?"

"I'm good, um I um was like." Andrew sighed heavily. "I need to talk to you."

"So talk I'm listening."

"You’re not going to like it."

"Andrew..."

"I think this is something I need to tell you in person."

"What are you talking about?" Buffy groaned aloud this time, her irritation rising.

"Look I just flew in and I'm just outside of town. Can I come over?" He sounded hesitant.

"Alright just get here as soon as you can." She disconnected the phone.

"Buffy?"

"He's in town and coming over, said he had something to tell us." Buffy sat back down next to her.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah it's just with the dreams I haven't been sleeping well."

"That’s understandable I mean it sounded really bad."

"Gut wrenching is more like it. I mean I know that something has to be going on in LA but I don't know if we can do anything about it."

"Angel is smart Buffy. I'm sure that he wouldn't let Wolfram and Hart get to him."

She shook her head. "No it’s not that. I know deep down that he'd make the right choices. It's...” She trailed off as the doorbell rang. Getting up, she shook her head and answered the door.

"Andrew." Buff looked him over. He was dressed a little better, not going for that watcher look that he started out trying to imitate. Now he was wearing some simple slacks and a dress shirt. She noticed that he was holding himself a little differently now not quite as unsure of himself. He was a little different than the annoying nerd they had left tied in a chair last year.

"Hey Willow!" He screeched. He ran over to her and gave her a hug.

"Jeez Andrew guess it's nice to see you too." She disentangled herself from him. "So what brings you here?"

"So what do you want to tell me?” He looked nervously at her. "Gotta be important for you to fly all the way out here."

"Yeah. Look you're probably gonna be mad and I just want to let you know that this wasn't my idea. I wanted to tell you right away but you know they wouldn't let me so I just... well when I heard about the dream I knew you needed to know." He sat in the chair opposite the couch glancing quickly between the both of them.

"Seriously if you don't start making some sense Andrew...."

"Okay. Well you remember the girl you sent me to get. Dana?"

"The one that was in the institution?" He nodded at her.

"Yeah. Anyway Angel wasn't the only one I ran into." He stared back at her puzzled look. "He didn't want me to tell you and he said that he would on his own but if this dream is a premonition and I didn't tell you and then he would be dead and then you would kill me."

"What?" Willow asked confused.

"Spike?" Buffy whispered.

Andrew nodded. "The amulet they gave him trapped him and then he was a ghost for awhile and then he was like living or unliving again."

Buffy got up to pace around the room. She turned and glarred at him. "He's alive and you knew this long and you didn't tell me?" Her voice was low and dangerous.

He cleared his throat. "See I know you're mad but he did ask me not to tell. But there's more." She glared at him waiting for him to finish. "He was with Angel when we were in Rome. They both came to the apartment and I did what you told me about telling him you were dating the Immortal. I didn't want to but I know why you told me to and they waited but they had to go back. I knew he just wanted to see you but I think he was kind of scared that you would be mad at him too."

Buffy sat down hard on the couch. "Then the dream really could be a vision."

"Cause now Spike's alive?" Willow asked.

"And they're all going to die." Buffy said as a tear rolled down her cheek.


*********

Buffy was thrashing around in her sleep. Suddenly she sat upright in bed, her scream echoing around the room. She breathed heavily and started to sob deeply. The tears came flowing out of her as Willow knocked softly and opened the door.

"Buffy?" she whispered. She saw her face covered with tears as they ran down her cheeks and hit the sheets. "Oh Buffy." She ran over and grabbed her in a tight embrace.

Buffy wrapped her arms around Willow and let go of all the grief she had been holding inside. Slowly her tears started to subside and she was able to speak again.

"Willow"

"Yeah Buff?"

"We've got to go to LA."

"But we don't even know what we might be facing yet."

"It doesn't matter I have to try."

Willow nodded. "We'll call Giles in the morning and tell him were going. See if he can send us some help."

*****

"Giles we aren't going to convince her not to go. No I mean she really has to do this. Did you get any information on what is happening yet?" Willow shook her head at the watcher's tone. "So no apocalypse on the horizon, well that is good news."
She listened intently to his answer. "She said you could make the arrangements for the others to get there. It’s only a few hours for us to get there. Giles did the coven know about Spike?" She took a deep breath. "So no one but Andrew knew that he was alive?" "Alright, look I better go, Buffy will have her cell phone if you need to get in touch with us. We'll be careful. Okay bye." As she shut the phone off she zipped up her suitcase.

"You almost ready?" Buffy asked.

"Yeah they don’t have any more info for us. The only thing they know is that it isn't an actual apocalypse."

"Well that's a first."

*******

It was like fate itself was trying to keep them from getting to LA. They had already had a flat, the engine had over heated and now there was major traffic accident. The six-hour drive was turning into a whole day affair. Just when Buffy thought she would scream from the frustration the traffic finally started to move.

Night had already darkened the sky as they made their way past the crater that had been the offices of Wolfram and Hart. They continued walking and the rain began to fall as they made their way passed the empty Hyperion. Buffy picked up her pace now as she recognized the streets from the dream she had. Rounding the corner she recognized the alley that had haunted her for too many nights now.

Buffy came to a stop, her head swiveling from side to side taking in the demon bodies that littered the pavement. The air was thick with the scent of demon blood. She started walking again picking her way through the corpses. On the other side of a dumpster she could see a human body and a little further it appeared there was the body of a female without a head. She hung her head for a moment wanting to throw up. She turned to look behind her at Willow, Andrew, and the few slayers that Giles had sent.

Willow looked into her eyes and the grief she saw there overwhelmed her.

"We're too late." Buffy sobbed as she sank to her knees.

Willow walked to her side and held her while she cried.

Andrew looked around noticing something shiny on the ground near the demons remains he squatted down to grab it. As his hand closed around it he smiled softly. Turning he walked over and kneeled next to where Buffy and Willow were kneeling.

"Buffy..." he said as he pressed the silver lighter into her hand.

She looked at the lighter in her hand memories, washing over her in a flood. She grabbed the lighter tighter and slowly made her way to her feet. Reaching in her pocket she flipped her cell phone open.

"Giles. No we were too late. Do we know what happened?" She started nodding. "Do we know where the members were? Okay we'll check that out." She closed the phone.

"What happened Buffy?"

"They were trying to take down Wolfram and Hart from the inside. Guess a secret society called the Black Thorn was in charge and Angel managed to get inside. They took them out tonight and this was the payback."

"So what do we do know?"

"There were two other places that were hit I want to check them out and give these two a decent burial." She raked a hand through her wet hair. "So much needless stupid death...” her words trailed off sounding hollow to Willow's ears.

"Buffy?" she asked hesitantly.

She hung her head and slowly began to walk away.
1 by Gerbnednav
Chapter 1

The room was dark and musty, shadows of large covered furniture dancing across the walls. Suddenly two bright flashes of light fill the room as two portals opened. Two figures fell from the endless depths onto the floor and the portals winked out of existence. Slowly and painfully they started to stir, trying to sit up. They turned and looked at each other.

"Angel?"

Spike?"

They gasped in unison.

Spike and Angel just glared at each other, too weak to actually get up.

"What are you doing here?" they again cried simultaneously.

Spike in spite of himself chuckled. "Guess that answers that." He gave a meaningful look to Angel seeing how beaten and tired he looked. "Hell dimension?"

"Yeah, you?"

"Did you have any doubt mate?"

Angel chuckled lightly. "No." He started struggling to his feet. "So the question is why are we both here?" He studied Spike still sitting on the floor. "So do you remember everything before,,," he trailed off.

"You mean with the death and the dying and the turning into a big dust cloud? Yeah mate."

Angel nodded and then turned to glance around the room. "Well at least I know where we are if not when we are." He glanced around at the lobby he'd spent so much time in over the last 3 years.

"Actually it's been two months." The familiar voice came from behind Angel and his mouth hung open as he swung around.

"Cordy?" He asked in barely a whisper.

"Well don't just stand there mouth all agape and all." And just like that he quickly closed the gap in between them and flung his arms around her.

"You're really here." He said astounded.

"Well sort of. This isn't a social call Angel, the PTB sent me as a messenger."

"They sent you? This can't be good." Spike moaned still sitting on the floor.

"Spike, you're just as charming as ever." She smiled at them both. "Look you kind of threw them for a loop. I mean this plan of yours Angel, just not making much sense. Getting yourselves killed kind of makes sure your not here fighting the good fight. This wasn't the Appocalypse this was the Senior Partners getting a little vengeance on you and yours." She shook her head at him sadly. "When I talked to you before I thought you had kind of figured some of this stuff out. Guess you're denser than I remembered."

"But..." he stopped confused. "I mean I didn't lose focus we still brought down the inner circle that had to have done some damage to them"

She sighed loudly. "Angel, they may have been the ones in charge here but the Senior Partners were still pulling the strings. They were just puppets and they will just find more in their place. The only thing you really accomplished was making sure our side was a lot weaker." She walked over closer to where Spike was starting to stand up. "Let's just say the amount of disappointment was felt all around. For us to lose not just two Champions but the human cost." She shuddered. "Not the best strategy I've seen and I've seen a few doozies."

"The others...?"

"Fred, Wesley, Gunn and Illyria? All of them gone Angel. I understand what you thought you were trying to do and I understood their..." she trailed looking for the right words. "devotion to your ideals. Been there you know. But it's all past now." She watched as he sat heavily in a chair. "And now the balance of power has shifted again. Really the both of you were brought back here because this wasn't supposed to happen." She walked to him placing a calming hand on his shoulder. She could see the pain and loss etching it's way onto his face. "I have a lot more to tell you but its gonna be a lot more painful. I think the best thing is for you guys to actually get some rest and we'll talk about all of this in a couple of hours."

"Rather get it all out now if you don't mind." Spike growled.

"Please, that Big Bad routine isn't going to work with me. I know the hell you guys just came from and I know the pain you're feeling.. I can see it in your eyes Spike. Both of you are not going to be able to do any good unless you can look at this situation a little calmer and less hurt than this. So go upstairs, get some sleep and I'll be back at sunset."

"Look you stupid bint..."

"Enough!" she spat as she wheeled towards him. "Don't make this any harder than it already is okay?" her tone softened.
"I know coming back from the dead again is not what you had in mind but I'll explain everything I promise." Spike finally nodded at her. "Besides you both look like hell." She smiled as she turned and walked out of the lobby.

*****

Angel and Spike had just made their way back down the stairs, neither having had much luck sleeping. Both had spent the time thinking of the people they had lost and the pain they were feeling. Angel had been brooding just as expected but even he noticed how subdued Spike was. Never one to let silence alone for its own sake his grande childe was uncharacteristically quiet. It suddenly occurred to him that he had never really understood the younger vampire. The last few months had given him some insight into his character more than he had during all the time that they had spent as they tore across Europe.

"Hey." Cordy's voice drifted over to him as he came to the bottom of the stairs. "Thought you guys might be a little hungry."
She gestured to the table next to her a couple of blood bags laid out. "Sorry didn't know the microwave had been packed up."

They just approached the table and picking up a bag each ripped the tops off and chugged them down. Both grimaced at the cold blood.

" 'Salright pet." Spike grumbled.

"Well I guess we should get this started then. Come on sit down the two of you." She motioned to the chairs opposite her.
"You know that the Powers sent me because they think you've both lost your paths. Got to get you guys set on your way again."

"There is no bleedin' path for me. Peaches here is their soddin' champion not me." He had raised his voice but there was no venom behind the words.

Cordy gave him a warm smile. "Ah but you are now aren't you. Whatever reason you give Spike you gave your unlife twice. Once to stop an apocalypse and once cause you thought it was one. Things like that get you noticed by those that run things. Fact is Spike you are the talk of the higher planes. No one demon or human has managed to do what you've done, to manage to merge yourself into a man with a demon so flawlessly. The fact that you got your soul on your own is something many of us still can't get over."

"Didn't do it for anyone but her." he said under his breath.

"That's the thing, you did it out of love. Love you're not supposed to feel. You are a unique individual as much as you hate to hear it." He shook his head at her. "I know pride keeps you from admitting a lot of things to yourself. But trust me you have everyone's attention now."

"So what the hell do we do now?"

"Right. Well first off you guys are going to be splitting up now. I know you've gotten quite used to each other but you have very different destinations down the road." Both vamps started to protest.. "Please just listen, I don't need any of your petty arguing just to keep yourselves from admitting you don't hate each other." Both their jaws clamped shut. "Good. Spike, you're gonna be doing a little something special for us. They want you to take a message to someone. They've kind of gotten lost and need someone to bring a little focus back into their life."

"I thought that was your gig?"

"Only for you two. Let's just say this one's got a bit of a temper and doesn't like interference from the Powers. We're thinking a familiar messenger might make things a little easier on her. You're gonna need to contact the Watchers Council."

"A slayer stray, already?"

"Not exactly. Let's just say she just stopped caring about everything. Kind of turned her back on life. We just wanted to reaffirm her importance here to her."

"What if I refuse?" his tone was quiet.

She shook her head at him a little sadly. "I know you won't. It's Buffy." she said the last very quietly.

Both Vamps jumped to their feet. Protests rang out around her.

"Look..." she said getting up "She and the other slayers were having visions of your last fight. She came down here to help you guys out but the truth is they had to let you die in that alley." Angel could see the pain in her warm eyes. "These guys weren't going to stop until the whole gang was dead. If any of you walked away they would have hunted you down no matter how many innocent lives were in the way." She sat back down and glared at the two of them. Slowly they sat back down."The dream they had was the whole fight in that alley. She didn't even have an idea that you were alive again until she started having the vision. To his credit Andrew didn't tell her anything until the night before." She saw Spike's eyes fill with tears and watched him blink them back. She could almost feel the pain radiating from him. "Because we knew that you weren't going to make it out of that alley we had to stall her. Any human who died there.." she paused, "no one was going to be able to bring back.. They just wanted to make sure they didn't lose her again. She got here right after the last of the demons went back through their portal. Anyway after knowing that you had come back and that you had died again without her getting a chance to talk to you... well she decided she wanted nothing to do with being the slayer."

"Maybe she just faced the fact that she wanted a normal life finally." Angel said under his breath.

"No you don't get it. I mean anything. Her friends, her family, she wants nothing to remind her of who she is or was." She looked meaningfully at Spike. "See the Powers never noticed before. I mean you guys had been constantly crossing paths but it turns out your destinies, well they kind of intertwine."

Spike felt his shoulders slump and his mind screamed in pain at the thought of his slayer. "Buffy." her name slipped from his lips in sigh.

Angel was on his feet again. "Hold on one second here. Did I hear you right Cordy? Are you really telling me that they are connected forever?"

"Oh don't start with that tone, you and her haven't felt that way in a long time. I know." She looked at Angel her eyes pleading. "Unless what we had..."

"No! No what you said is right its just, its Spike." He shrugged hands in the air trying to make sense of all this.

"What the bloody hell are you trying to say?"

Angel just shot him a disinterested look.

"So what is this then petty jealously?" Angel's face softened at that. She turned to Spike his face so lost. "You Spike... you and Buffy are connected. It may mean you'll always be friends or it could mean more, no one but you and her know that. All we know is the two of you will be there for each other." She smiled softly at him. "If you can show her the true path her life is to take then you and her will walk that path together." She let her words sink into the vamp and she could almost see his mind trying to wrap itself to this new information.

"So what am I supposed to be doing during all of this?"

She smiled tenderly at him. "Angel they wouldn't tell me anything specific about what was coming for you. All I've been told is that they want you to open AI again."

He slumped forward in his chair. "That's it, just open back up. I can't do that Cordy, not with all of you gone."

She placed a hand on his knee. "You can and you will. You knew someday something like this would happen Angel, we were all mortal. I know it's painful but I promise you won't be alone for long. People will come to help you because it's the right thing to do." She looked deep into his eyes. "I wish I could stay and help you through this but I pulled as many strings as I could to be here now." He placed a loving hand on her cheek. "You can do this Angel. It will be hard but you'll make it."
As if hearing something she stood suddenly. "It's time for me to go."

"Cordy I-" he stood and pulled her into another hug. "Thank you." he whispered.

She leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Don't make me come back here and kick your ass. Take care of yourself." He nodded at her. "That goes for you too Spike."

He tilted his head at her words refusing to come.

With a brief caress of Angel's cheek she turned and walked away. And like that she was gone.
2 by Gerbnednav
Chapter 2

The room was black with a still figure lying in the bed in the center. As the phone starts ringing the figure starts to stir reaching out blindly for the nightstand. Her hand caught the receiver and dragged it to her ear.

"Uhh hello?" the words were muffled with sleep.

"B its me." Buffy's eyes shot open at the nickname.

"Faith? What is something wrong?" Her voice rose in panic.

"No. No nothing like that. The hellmouth is still closed and Cleveland is still in one piece."

"Ohhh then why...." she glanced at the glowing green numbers on the nightstand "are you calling me at two a.m.?"

"Buffy..." she heard a dry sigh "can you come to Cleveland?"

"I thought you said there's nothing wrong. Besides you know that I'm retired now."

"No there isn't anything wrong really. I just want you to come to Cleveland and." there was a break in her voice "be my bridesmaid."

"Wha?" came the confused reply.

"Robin asked me to marry him and I said yes. We want to go ahead and do it this Saturday. Can you come?"

"Get out!" Buffy couldn't believe the thought of the rogue slayer actually getting married and settling down with anyone.

"Straight up B." She heard her take a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Look B I know you don't really want to see any of us and I understand that I really get it you know. But you are the closest thing I have to a family as twisted as that sounds. I just want you to be a part of this." Buffy could hear the strain in the other slayer's voice. "So will you come?"

"When you put it that way Faith how can I not. Of course I'll come." She said the last with a resignated sigh.

"This means a lot to me you know? So as soon as you know when you'll be arriving call and I'll come and pick you up."

"I will and Faith..." Buffy paused "congratulations."

"Thanks B."

********

"NO BLOODY WAY!!" Spike roared. He grabbed a vase off the nearest table and throws it against the wall where it shatters into a thousand pieces. He began pacing at a furious pace.

"Spike do you mind?" Angel asked rubbing his temples.

"There is no way I'm going to go there. The fucking Powers that Meddle can't let a man enjoy his deserved torture in a hell dimension. Got to pull him out, make him their little messenger boy. Well fuck them!"

"So what you’re just going to ignore all of this?"

Spike stopped pacing and took a deep look at the older vampire.

"I don't know if I can do this." he was quieter now as the anger left his body. He ran a hand over his face. "She basically saw me die again and I'm just supposed to pop up and give her a message? Bloody ridiculous." He gave Angel a smirk. "You go. Give you something interesting to do. She might beat on you for awhile but she's used to your cryptic messages."

Angel roared and grabbed Spike by the lapels of his beaten duster.

"Are you stupid?" He paused looking into the blue eyes. "Wait a minute... yeah you are. Look...” he relaxed his grip on the blonde. "Don't you get it? This is your chance to finally put things right between the two of you."

Spike knocks his hands away from him. "You think I don't know that you ponce! That isn't the problem." He sat in the nearest chair.

"So then tell me what is." Angel said gently taking a seat next to him.

"Peaches I don't know what it is, that’s the problem." Spike threw his hands up in the air. "You're such a bloody expert you tell me."

"Look Spike I don't know what happened between the two of you. I mean I know what she told me before the fight with the First and just what you've alluded to since you've been here. I figure a whole lot that's been left out. But that's the past whatever it is sooner or later you’re going to have to face it. What we're talking about here is the future." His gaze softened on Spike. "Do you still love her?"

"Of course I still love her I'll always love her." Spike gave Angel a look of utter hopelessness. "Don't you think parts of me are screaming for me to go to her? Like they have been since I came to LA? Doesn't mean it’s not wrong. Yes, I love her. But what good am I to her? I can't give her what she needs, the stability she craves, and the light she needs in her life. So I got a soul, I'm still just a vampire." He buried his face in his hands.

"No, that was my reasoning. What I told you when you first wanted to go to Europe to see her. You don't believe a word of that." Angel shook his head.

"I didn't at first mate. See, thing about having this shiny soul is it gives me lots of time to think. And every one of those things makes a whole lot of sense." He stood again beginning to pace.

"Bull. Spike your hiding behind my reasoning which I have to admit is kind of scary." Glancing at the man, he pointed. "So tell me what the hell has you so scared that you hide behind me of all people. You hate me remember?"

Angel's sharp words caused Spike to flinch. His pacing slowed and then stopped. He let his head drop to his chest eyes averted.

"I'm terrified that nothing is going to change. What if..." he sighed heavily. "I mean I don't believe she meant what she said that day but what if that was all she could give me? That little false hope to make me feel better before I went all dusty?" He shook his head sadly "I don't think I could take it day in and day out for God knows how long torturing myself being near her."

Angel leaned back into his chair. "You are an idiot," he said wonder creeping into his voice.

"Thanks a lot mate."

"Can't you see what all this might mean?" Spike lifted his head to gaze at him. "That she could actually have feelings for you?" He gave the vamp a once over with his eyes. "I don't see what she sees in you at all."

"What is with you anyway? All of a sudden acting like you’re my best friend. Why the hell do you even care?"

"Dammit cause if she has any chance at all of being happy then she deserves it." Angel stood suddenly knocking his chair over onto the floor with a crash. "Don't you think that I would want something better for her? I wanted her to have a normal life in case you don't remember it was why I left in the first place. You haven't cornered the market on loving her you know. But she's never going to have a normal life. Doesn't matter how many other slayers there are or how much she craves it. The PTB pretty much just spelled it out for us she isn't done with her calling and she never will be. Jeez she can't even die to get out of it. So if she really has a chance to be happy..." he got a really disgusted look on his face "Even if it is with you, at least she is happy."

He glared at the brunette and slowly a look of realization changed his features. Suddenly it seemed as if his blue eyes lite up.

"I can't believe I'm going to say this...."He rolled his eyes. "You’re right." He mumbled it but the other vamp heard him clearly.

"First intelligent thing you've said in over a hundred years." A smirk graced his lips.

"Bloody poofter."
3 by Gerbnednav
Chapter 3

Spike looked down at the scrap of paper in his hand and then back up at the door in front of him. Number 32. This was the room he'd been seeking. He sucked in a deep breath and stared at the door, listening intently. Quietly he heard what he thought was sobbing coming from inside. His gut twisted at the sound of crying. He hated to see her in pain. It seemed to him that her whole life had been filled with it and he knew that he had caused her more than his own share of that pain.

He sighed. The feelings of regret came crashing back down around him again. Spike knew that he was right before in L.A. He shouldn't be doing this, it would only hurt both of them more. Shaking his head he began to turn around. He eyed the hallway he'd just been walking on, trying to take a step forward. Screw the Powers That Be and that ponce in L.A. he couldn't do this. Couldn't reinsert himself in her life as much as he would like to. It wasn't fair to her and hell it wasn't fair to him. The sobbing grew quieter and he tilted his head listening. No, neither of them would benefit from him just making an appearance here. He wanted to believe that this self-imposed exile she had put herself in was just temporary. After all, it had only been two months and people needed time. He could understand her need for solitude, he'd yearned for it himself when he had first returned. Unfortunately being a ghost trapped against his will in an evil law firm with someone he had hated for a century kind of made that impossible.

That made him stop. He was tired of being a pawn in one way or another. Love's bitch he may be but with all the other things that had tried to run his unlife he was just plain pissed off. The chip, the First, the Powers, Lindsey and the list just kept getting longer. Spike knew that she would feel the same. He knew how much she hated being used for them to achieve whatever it was they were trying to do. Angel's words struck him then how she was never going to finish her calling not even death could release her from it. The woman had done more than enough and now there were others that could do the job for her. He knew that being the slayer was part of who she was but it didn't mean she was the only one now. Anger coursed through his body as he thought about the unfairness of it all. And he was here to make sure that was what happened that she went back to her friends, her calling and the weight of the world on her shoulders. He wanted to hit something, commit a little violence, let off a little steam. His eyes scanned the hallway again. No place to do that here, maybe he'll just run out for a while see what the cemeteries over this Hellmouth were like. See what little beasties he could kill.

He considered it seriously. Spike knew that sooner or later the temptation to see her again would get the better of him whether he wanted it to or not. He knew that was what they had been counting on when they had sent him to her. They were so sure about him wanting to see her. Well he was sure about that but he was sure she wouldn't want to see him. He'd caused her too much hurt and grief these last few years.

That made him pause. The room behind him had gone quiet now. He turned back to face the door again. Faintly he could hear her breathing. Without thinking, he took a step closer to the door his hand raised as if to knock. He caught himself and spread the palm of his hand on the door. What the hell was he doing? He was acting like a bloody poofter doing more brooding than Forehead. Damn Peaches he was helping turn him into a ponce. He was William the Bloody, Spike the scourge of Europe, the Slayer of Slayers. He could do this. He squared his shoulders and set his jaw. His raised hand balled into a fist.

***********

She had been sitting on the bed thinking that maybe she would watch a little TV before calling it a night. The wedding wasn't to take place until tomorrow afternoon and that gave her plenty of time to sit in this stupid hotel room. She knew that this was not of the good. How was she supposed to be here and not talk to everyone? The confrontations scared her. Buffy was willing to guess that every one of them was hurt at her refusal to talk, to see them. That wasn't what she had wanted. She never wanted to hurt them but she couldn't face them anymore.

Buffy wondered when she had known that she was never going to be able to leave the slayer in her behind. Probably when the dreams wouldn't stop; that two-week period before the death of the two men in her life. She had known that it was a slayer dream but she had been too weak to do anything about it until it was too late. Why she had thought the others would understand she didn't know. The last two months were a way for her to come to terms with the fact that they were gone forever. Ironic though it was she was the only woman who could have two men love her that were supposed to be immortal and both of them dead. She bit back the tears she was feeling. Too many tears shed over a fate she couldn't change. She missed them both very much.

Regret was not something she had learned to live with in her twenty-four years. Maybe it was because of all the death around her. She realized that life was too short for so much pain to be the focus of anyone’s life let alone the short one of a slayer. But it was beyond her now. She was too full of regret for the past and too guilty to look at the future with anything but sorrow.

They had never understood. Her friends and her sister that she loved very much could never grasp the concept that she was what she was. The slayer. Screw the others it was her. The part of her that wanted to keep living if only to protect those around her. It was the hard part of her, the one they had referred to as the General, the one that felt nothing but the importance of the mission. The only part of her that didn't die in that alley when he did.

She sobbed then. Living without him was just too hard. He was the only person she had ever met that could reach her. Now she knew no one else could ever touch her soul like he had. She had shed her fair share of tears over his death again but this time it had been different. He had been alive or undead for months before that final battle and he never told her. He didn't want her to know he was there. And that had hurt. It had opened the gates of self-doubt letting it pour into her soul like salt on a fresh wound. What did it mean? Did he not love her anymore? Had she finally pushed him so far that he would rather stay dead to her? The thought was more than she could bear.

Her body was wracked by the sobs escaping her. She knew she shouldn't be thinking of this now. What was done was done. It was too late for anything to change it. The one person she would ever want to be with was gone and it was forever. Buffy took a deep breath trying to get herself under control. It was then that she felt it. Her spidey sense was tingling faintly.
She brushed the tears from her eyes and looked around the room. There was a stake in her bag.

Quietly she got off the bed and walked to the dresser reaching for the stake. Well what had she expected it was a Hellmouth. Moving silently, she walked to the door. Stopping next to it, she placed her empty hand on the knob stake raised. Her mouth formed a straight line of determination and she flung open the door.
4 by Gerbnednav
Chapter 4

A moment of shear surprise caught them both. His hand was still raised at the door, her stake raised behind her.
They stared, neither of them breathing, their eyes locked on each other. The sound of the stake clattering to the floor broke the moment for both of them.

Buffy drew in a ragged breath. Her gaze dropped to the Doc Martins on his feet and traveled upwards over his legs, his narrow hips, his strong chest and back up into his wonderful blue eyes. Her mouth dropped open but words refused to come through the tightness in her throat. She was sure that she was dreaming. This wasn't possible; he couldn't really be here.

He felt himself drowning in her warm green eyes. This is where he knew he was supposed to be. It felt like a part of him had been missing ever since he popped out of that amulet in Peaches' office. The part of him he didn't even know was gone until this very second seeing her here. How the hell did he think he could ever really live without her? He was a fool. He could feel the acceleration of her heartbeat, her blood coursing through her veins. Looking at her, he could see the red tracks the tears had made on her face and he thought he had never seen anything as beautiful as this goddess standing before him. It was then that he knew, knew he was never leaving her side again.

" 'Ello Luv." was all he could manage to choke out.

She still gaped at him; trying to let all of it sink in. Hadn't she just been telling herself that he was gone forever, that she was never going to see him again? Her brain refused to focus. She knew he had spoken but she couldn't hear the words. The dizziness in her head was getting faster, her thoughts spinning out of control. It was too much; she was beyond trying to cope and she felt her legs start to give way.

He saw her start to fall, her eyes rolling into the back of her head. He reached out and caught her as she dropped. Picking her up he carried her into the room closing the door behind him. Walking to the bed, he laid her on it gently resting her head on the pillows. He kneeled down beside her, his hand stroking her face pushing her hair behind her ear.

"Buffy luv." He said it as his hand reached for hers. He held it tenderly, his thumb stroking the back of her hand.

Her eyes fluttered open. She looked up trying to focus her gaze. She wondered what the hell had just happened. She felt the coolness of his hand on hers and turned her head towards him. That’s right he was here, here with her right now.

"Am I dreaming?" she whispered.

"No pet I'm here." It always amazed her how he always said what she was thinking. She reached her other hand up and touched his cheek.

"How?"

"Are you okay?" He asked concern lacing his voice.

"What happened?" She could not even begin to imagine why she was laying on the bed all of a sudden.

"You seem to have blacked out."

"Well that's a new one." She wondered how she was managing to talk right then. She started to get up and thought better of it, instead raising herself to sit up against the headboard.

He looked at her, head cocked to one side, trying to figure all this out. He knew that he hadn't been able to predict how she would react to his return but this new turn of events was something he couldn't grasp.

She gazed down at him, the bewilderment she was feeling sparkling in her eyes. If it was true, if he was really here what was going on. Her feelings of fear and confusion started to scream inside her making her feel out of control.

Spike stared tenderly into her eyes reading the emotions running wildly through them. And then suddenly there it was, the wall that she always hid behind came crashing down making her unreadable even to him. He knew that the open emotion he had seen was something he wouldn't have normally witnessed.

Buffy could feel the slayer in her taking over trying to gain control of her emotions and the situation she was in. Sometimes it was what her friends hated the most about her. How that part of her wouldn't let them in; that the protective barriers always came crashing down after she felt anything painful. She fought against it now, not wanting to let it push her around knowing that she needed the emotional part of her to get through this. Tired of how it always made her still hurt afterward when she was alone. She didn't want to push him away and she knew that it would make her. It was only trying to shield her from the pain and hurt she was feeling. But it was too late, she was already in too much pain and hurt so much that pushing him away would kill her.

He could see the look of determination cross her face as she struggled for control. The silence in the room was deafening. He had wanted to scream for joy at seeing her, touching her again. But he held it in letting her battle with her own thoughts, as he knew she needed to.

She finally gave him a small sad smile.

"How?" she asked again voice a little stronger. She folded her legs Indian style and gestured for him to sit on the other part of the bed.

He nodded and shrugged off his duster and tossed it onto a nearby chair. He sat on the edge of the bed and turned so he could face her.

"Um look Buffy..." He sighed loudly eyes rolling to the ceiling. "I don't know where to start."

She stared hard at him taking in his own confusion at what was before them. She thought for a minute. So many times, she had pictured this in her mind, the chance that she had never been given since he was taken from her that second time. This was so different from the hundred different ways she had ever imagined it. She reached across the bed and put a hand on his knee. She felt him jump at the contact.

"Spike, tell me about the alley." It seemed surreal to her saying his name.

The warmth of her hand on his knee seemed to calm him and he nodded at her.

"Bit o' nastiness there. Turns out that Angel was right 'bout it not being a fight any of us would walk away from." He turned his head away from her then. "If I'd have known you were having visions of that I would never 'ave agreed to go through with it. I never wanted to do anything to hurt you." He turned his eyes to her begging her to understand that. He'd hurt her enough to last a lifetime.

In her gaze was only understanding. "I know." A simple phrase but one that made his undead heart swell. She still believed him.

"Turns out the Powers that bloody be had a plan. Didn't want me and Forehead going out like that. So a couple of days ago poof here we are."

"Angel is alive too?"

"Yeah stupid poofter is still in L.A. Powers told him to stay."

"That’s good." He could hear the slight joy in her voice and that old pang of jealousy stabbed at him.

"Yeah" he mumbled.

"Spike..." her hand left his knee and grabbed his hand. "Why didn't you tell me? I mean before." He could hear the pain in her voice. That question was the one he had been dreading.

He unlocked her hand from his and began pacing the room.

"Pet I was a ghost for a good four months and after that... look you had started living your own life by then and things here...
Well I was okay with the fact that you had moved on and badness was going on there that I could help with. Figured you didn't need to know that I was undead again that it would complicate things too much for you." He stopped and turned to face her, seeing her eyes cloud with anger.

Buffy took a deep breath. She didn't need to yell at him. It wouldn't help here. She needed to be as calm as possible. One phrase seemed to need explaining.

"What do you mean moved on?" her voice was low.

"Well went to Rome 'member, you and the Immortal?" His hands gestured wildly in the air. "And what the hell did you see in him anyway?"

She could hear the pain in his voice. Buffy never wanted to cause him that ever again.

"I never... I mean I wasn't seeing him." He gave her a questioning look. "It was something I told Andrew to tell Angel. I had told him some things I shouldn't have and I wasn't ready to face him." She sighed heavily. "We knew he was coming to Rome so I lied.... I didn't know... really had no idea that..." she shook her head sadly, "I just wanted him to think that I could move on... " she saw him flinch "from him. I knew the second he saw me that he would know I had been wrong."

"You still love him don't you?" He couldn't bear the pain in his own voice; the jealousy that was clouding his vision.

"A part of me will always love him but that isn't what I meant." His shoulders sagged at the admission.

"Then what do you mean?"

"I never moved on Spike..." She moved herself to the front edge of the bed, her hand once again reaching out and grabbing his. "Everyone knew... didn't matter that I tried to hide it...." she sighed deeply then, her hand dropping his. "I had told him that I wasn't ready.... I couldn't even be with anyone until I had an understanding of who I was becoming." She stood up suddenly facing him. "But I knew... I just couldn't let myself...." she raised her own hands and dropped them in frustration. "Feelings and me just too unmixy."

He stepped closer to her barely a breath apart and grabbed her by the shoulders. "Tell me." the plea in his voice breaking the last of the barriers her heart was trying to hide behind.

"Do you remember the talk we had in the kitchen after I got the scythe?" He nodded. "I finally let myself think about what that night had meant. I didn't have a lot of choice after.... well I had lots of time to think about everything that happened. I guess I just needed the time to myself to concentrate on what I was feeling." Gently she put her hands around his forearms and sat him upon the bed. She kneeled in front of him then. "I never let myself grieve for you that first time. I spent almost a year in denial trying to bury myself in finding the new slayers and helping Giles set things up. I was just starting to... I don't know separate myself from all of them so I would be able to let my guard down." She gazed into his questioning eyes. "I was just starting to figure things out when the visions started."

"Buffy I..."

She smiled at him "Took me a long time to figure out that I'm kind of an idiot," she shrugged. "What seems clear to everyone else around me... I'm always the last one to figure it out." She laid her hands on his knees. "Angel and I moved on a long time ago." He covered her hands with his. "I couldn't move on from you." His sharp intake of breath sounded through the still room startling both of them. She stood up then, pacing in the same tracks he had made just a few moments before.

He couldn't think, couldn't form any words. She couldn't mean what she was saying. It wasn't possible.

"It hurt you know. When you wouldn't believe me there in the Hellmouth. I didn't know what to do with that. For a while I was thinking that you were right, that maybe it was a way to make myself feel better about you dying down there. But then it just pissed me off. I mean where does anyone get off telling me how I feel? " She glared at him, his heart, if it had been beating, would have stopped right then. "It took me so long to know what I was feeling as it is I don't need anyone second guessing it."

"Pet."

She raised a hand to stop him. "But what really hurt was when I found out you were alive and you didn't tell me. I wondered about everything then. I thought about a moment like this you know. About what I would say... how I would react... how you would. I felt cheated. Like that last chance had been stolen from me." She kneeled back in front of him. "I meant what I said then and I mean it now."

"Buffy you don't have to." he started.

"Don't you tell me that. I have to. I waited so long that you didn't believe me and you were gone. Waited so long a second time that you had died again. If I wait this time, God knows what would happen. No I need to tell you." Her voice dropped low again. "I want to tell you," she sighed. "That night was the first time I had ever let anyone that close to me. The real me. Everyone else just sees the surface, the Buffy that they want to see. Your the only one that’s ever really seen who I am. The parts of me their all too scared to acknowledge. I finally had to ask myself how you could do that. Why had I let you in. Finally realized that it was because I had stopped trying to hide that part of myself from you, stopped trying to block out how you felt about me. That night I felt that strength because I let myself feel how much you believed in me, how much you loved me." Tears had started falling from her eyes then.

"I will always love you." His voice was deep, choked with emotion.

"I know." She smiled into his eyes again seeing his tears threaten there. "It took me forever to see that the reason I could let myself feel what you did was because I felt it too." And with those words the tears began to fall from his eyes. ” So hence me being an idiot." He smiled at her through his tears. She reached her hand up and wiped a tear from his cheek. "That was the reason I couldn't move on. All I could do was feel this overwhelming regret." She stood again looking down at him.

"I treated you rotten Spike. I took advantage of your feelings for me from the beginning. And that last year knowing the hell you had put yourself in for me, I couldn't even be there for you. I was so selfish telling you to stay just so I could feel better. I don't even know how you can bear to look at me."

He stood up and put his arms around her waist holding her tight to him. "I stayed because you asked me to. I had a choice too."

"I've always mistreated you and all you've ever done is tried to show me you loved me." She turned and buried her face into his shoulder.

Sighing, he reached his finger under her chin to make her look at him. "Buffy none of that matters now. I love you."

Her eyes flashed with anger. "But it does matter! It killed me every time I thought about how I treated you. It kept me up at night and made me cry at all hours of the day." She looked deep in his eyes, both of them with tears flowing freely now. "I love you Spike,” she whispered.

The words fell on him like the most beautiful song he'd ever heard. A sob escaped his lips as they both clutched at each other crying. He didn't know what was happening here. He knew that she should have been mad, should have ranted, hell should of hit him in the nose like she usually did. He had never seen her this vulnerable before, so naked to all of her feelings, so expressive with her words. Gently he maneuvered them back towards the bed so they were sitting again. He stroked her hair, murmuring sounds of comfort at her. He didn't know how long they had sat like that both of them letting their tears wash away all the pain and regret. As his own tears quieted, he noticed that hers had as well.

Carefully he pulled her back over the bed so they could lie down. She curled into his side and his hands began stroking her side. Comforted they both let sleep take them over.
5 by Gerbnednav
Chapter 5

The first light of dawn was trying to peek in through the heavy curtains into the room. Buffy blinked slowly, her eyes feeling dry and sore from the crying the night before. Strange how calm she felt now, how rested. She couldn't remember the last time she had felt this at peace. It was then that she noticed the cool arms wrapped around her. Turning her head, she looked at the man lying beside her. His eyes were still closed and Buffy couldn't help but think how innocent he looked in his sleep. Without thinking, her hand rose up and caressed his cheek.

His eyes fluttered open at her touch. As he looked at her, a smile tugged at his lips.

"Mornin’ luv."

"It wasn't a dream; you're really here." As she said it, her voice was filled with wonder.

"That I am pet," his voice softened. "You okay?"

A bright smile came across her face and to Spike's delight reached her eyes giving them a light he had rarely seen before. If he had been breathing, his breath would have caught in his throat. She didn't even know how beautiful she was.

"Never better." The lilt in her voice sung to him in a way he couldn't describe. "And you?"

"Better than I've been in a long time." He beamed a smile back at her. It occurred to her then that she had rarely seen a genuine smile from him. Usually it was just a grin or his trademark smirk and he was gorgeous when he smiled.

As silence settled back over them she carefully stretched without moving from his embrace.

"Spike." She placed a hand on his chest her eyes never leaving his. "I love you." Her voice was clear hoping that he understood that she needed him to really hear her say it. She wanted him to know that what was said the night before was real. That she hadn't just blurted out the words because of the moment.

He pulled her closer to him letting her head nestle into his chest. "God Buffy, I love you too." He broke their hug and looked down at her. "Do you know how long I've wanted to hear you say that?"

"A long time." she nodded "Told you I'm a little slow." He grinned at her then. "I could get used to waking up like this."

"Have to admit pet don't mind it myself." He cupped her cheek with his hand. "I don't want to break the mood but..."

"But?"

"What does this mean now? I mean for us." he stopped and gulped at her. "I mean is there an us?"

Her gaze was constant on his; calm and collected and sincere. "There better be an us." She grinned at him. "You think I'm going to go through all this again?" she looked at him seriously. "Spike I love you and I want to be with you. You don't think I'm stupid enough to let you go after all this?"

"You want...?" suddenly he was having trouble with words.

"Yes I want a lot of things. I want to see more of Europe, I want to have a million dollars and I want to be with you. Guess which is the thing I want more than anything? I tried living without you Spike and it didn't work out too well for me."

"You're serious?" She just gave him a look that said duh. "But, I mean what about the Scoobies. They wouldn't be too happy about this."

"Honestly Spike," she gave him a small frown, "I love my friends and yes their opinion matters to me, but this is way beyond opinion. Besides, I just spent two months refusing to talk to any of them because you were dead. Do you really think they would be upset about you and me being together? I know you think that they all hated you, not true you know? At the end there, Willow and Dawn really did like you. And after the battle well what could Xander and Giles do? Saving the world, sacrificing yourself pretty much tells them they were acting like a couple of jerk offs."

"Are you sure about this?" Buffy could see the fear in his eyes. "What about having a normal life?"

"What are you channeling Angel now?"

"HEY!" he protested.

"Look I've kind of come to terms with some things. One of them being I am never going to have a normal life. I'm still the slayer and I will be until I finally get to die and stay dead. I couldn't if I wanted to; I've seen too much, done too much to ever forget this part of my life. Besides I'm in love with a vampire. So not of the normal." She traced his frowning lips with her finger.

"Buffy I just want you to be happy. I don't want to be the wanker that keeps you from having what you want out of this life," he sighed deeply. "Besides I haven't told you why they sent me to you."

"Doesn't matter," she stated with finality. "You and me Spike, that's all that matters. We'll cross all the other bridges when we get to them. And you'll know how all the others feel when we tell them at Faith's wedding tonight. Trust me it won't be bad."

"Will you listen to me for once?" he grumbled. "I love you more than life itself. Trust me nothing would make me happier than being with you for as long as you would want me around. I don't want you to regret any of this."

She sat up at that. "Now you listen to me. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't want to regret anything anymore. I just spent the last year with a boatload of regret. I don't want to regret letting you go. Not when you're here now and not while I know we love each other."

Her words smacked into him; each one feeling like the punches they used to trade. He looked up at her stunned.

"What?"

"You're amazing." He sat up and pulled her to him.

"Could have told you that." She giggled. "I mean it Spike." She looked back up at him her eyes suddenly serious again.

"What?" he wanted to know what that look was for.

"We need to promise each other something first."

He waited suddenly feeling his heart sink. A bloke couldn't take anymore of this roller coaster. He tilted his head to her.

"This thing that we do to each other. The self doubt its gotta stop." She looked at him seeing the fear in his eyes. "See that? What you're feeling there? That's what I'm talking about. I trust you Spike with everything. I need you to trust me too. Whatever happened in the past is just that, the past, we need to move forward."

"I love you Buffy and I do trust you. It's hard, you know, trying to break over a hundred years worth of learning. But I promise I'll try." His voice broke then.

Buffy beamed another smile at him. "I love you,” she whispered as she moved closer to him her lips brushing against his.

The kiss was gentle and almost chaste. It was a kiss to signify new beginnings innocent and pure. And all it did was make the two of them aware of how much time had passed since they had made this kind of physical contact. Spike's hand went up behind her head tangling in her hair. She wrapped her arms around him her fingers running up and down his back as the kiss suddenly deepened. He nibbled on her lower lip than ran his tongue over it. She moaned against his mouth and taking the opportunity, he slid his tongue into her mouth slowly exploring getting reacquainted with all the hollows. Her tongue met his, dueling in a soft slow dance.

The door shattered, flying off its hinges and landing across the room. They pulled apart quickly.

"Well that figures," Buffy said as three angry demons rushed into the room.
6 by Gerbnednav
Chapter 6

These demons were different from any Buffy had dealt with before. Larger than the average maybe standing seven feet tall and their skin was a pale gray with red vein like streaks covering them. All three of them seemed to be moving in a weird synchronization. On their faces where eyes should have been was just a thin slit that seemed to glow with an angry green light. The nearest one was holding an axe, the other two were devoid of weapons but somehow Buffy didn't think that would hinder them very much.

Buffy felt that familiar odd combination of fear and excitement as she let the slayer in her take over.

"God rude much?" she asked them loudly. She moved to stand by the opposite side of the bed. She searched the room trying to scout the best way to take them. She heard a low growl next to her as she watched Spike slowly take to his feet. The room itself was too tiny for a decent fight to take place and Buffy knew that hand-to-hand fighting against the ax-wielding demon wasn't going to be very easy in such cramped quarters. Thinking quickly, she started to back against the far wall trying to give herself enough room to make her move.

"Well since you're here.... what the hell do you want?"

The lead creature raised a thick finger at her. "Slayer," it rasped.

"Less than twenty four hours and people already know I'm here. I'm touched. Look Spike, my own welcoming committee."

Spike doubted that these guys were just going to leave if he asked them politely and to tell the truth he was kind of glad they weren't. That was a bloody great kiss they had interrupted and now he was brassed off. A slow evil smirk spread across his lips.

"Damn considerate if you ask me pet. Why don't we thank them properly?" Spike caught her nod out of the corner of his eye not letting the demon trio out of his sight for a second.

At her nod, both moved with a fluid grace. Buffy vaulted over the bed tucking into a roll going between the first and third demon and making it to the far side of the room. Using her momentum she slid out of the broken doorway and into the hall. The action grabbed the attention of the Lizzie Borden want-to-be and he moved towards her. In an instant she was all fists and fury, her blows striking him about the face and a roundhouse kick catching him in the chest.

He hadn't even watched her as she landed across the room from him as he was already on the second demon. It snarled at him and Spike launched a fist at it. Connecting squarely with its jaw the demon didn't even flinch. He turned and with his other hand punched the demon in the gut. Not even the barest shiver ran through the other creature. Barely moving, the demon's own punch sent him flying into the wall. Plaster broke all around him. Quickly getting to his feet Spike charged at the thing, using his speed to tackle it. To him it was like running into a brick wall and he was knocked to the floor with the impact. Gaining his footing once again, he stood and as he did so, the demon reached out and picked him off of the floor by the throat.

Buffy's kick caused the ax man to double over letting her deliver a crushing right hook to his chin or what she thought would be a chin on it. It fell away just in time for the third one to propel itself towards her. Now out in the roomier hall she ducked and tilted letting the creature pass. Snarling, it whirled around fist punching at the air seconds from where her head had been. Rolling backwards, she grabbed the ax from the other demon struggling to its feet. "Thanks."

Bringing his feet up close to his body and trying to ignore the growing pressure on his neck Spike used all of his coiled strength to kick out. It was just enough for the grip on his neck to break off and he fell to the floor. Getting up quickly he backed away trying to figure out what was going to stop this thing. Thinking that maybe Buffy had the right idea, he tried to vault himself over the bed. The demon wasn't fooled and managed to grab his ankle. Tugging and swinging him in a vicious arc Spike crashed into the dresser and TV, knocking it over to fall on top of him as he hit the floor.

Testing the weight of the ax in her hand Buffy watched the standing demon tense, gathering itself to strike. Without blinking, she threw the ax watching it twirl in the air its short flight interrupted by the head of said demon. Its lifeless body fell to the floor. She noticed that the ax wielder was now back inside of her room. Walking over to the other one, she stepped on it using her foot for leverage to pull the now blue ax out. Quickly she walked back into the room.

Spike hurt in a lot of places he wished he didn't have right then. Blinking blood out of one eye, he saw the offending demon reaching for the toppled TV. He watched as it raised the telly over its head. Not knowing how, he rolled himself away inches from where the thing smashed to the ground. He could tell he was closer to the door now. Hurrying to his feet, he stopped as the other demon in front of him held the stake that Buffy had dropped the night before. He tried to back up but ran into the solid body of the identical creature. A step closer and said demon was raising the stake upward.

"SPIKE!"

Buffy's eyes widened as she came hurrying through the door. Taking in the scene before her panic gripped her insides and she felt her hands moving on their own.

The downward thrust of the stake was pushed forward to his surprise and intense pain, it lodged itself securely in his sternum just below his heart. Suddenly the solid wall that was behind him was gone and he toppled backwards flat on his back. Unfortunately, the other demon was also surrendering to the pull of gravity, the ax lodged in the back of its head. Spike closed his eyes tight against the coming impact. When a second passed and he still felt nothing he slowly opened one eye at a time. There she was all sunlight and fresh air grunting as she swung the demon to his side by the arms. It fell to the floor with a loud thump. He looked her over seeing only one or two hairs out of place. She was so gorgeous and filled with deadly grace; made a vamp almost forget the annoying peace of wood sticking out of his chest.

She quickly kneeled next to him concern all over her face. Touching his face softly, she gazed into his eyes.

"Are you alright?" her voice was nervously hesitant.

"Well if you want to know the truth luv, this hurts like a son of a bitch." His eyes softened to hers. "You’re going to have to pull it out." She flinched a little at his words but nodded her head in agreement.

Reaching out she grasped the spilled contents of her overnight bag grabbing her nightshirt. Using her strength, she tore three long strips from it and folded the rest into a small square. Turning so that she was directly over his chest, she took a nervous breath.

"Ready?"

"Yeah, do it fast pet."

One hand on the offending stake and the other next to it holding the folded cloth she pulled quickly. She heard his pained gasp and grimaced forcing herself to hold the material over the gaping wound. Throwing the blood soaked wood behind her; she used her free hand to lift his shoulders. Sticking her leg under them slightly propping him up she took one of the strips and slid it underneath him tying it tightly over the wound. She took the second strip and did the same making sure the make shift bandage would stay in place. Finished she lifted his upper body again and slid her leg from underneath him. Tucking it back underneath her, she reached out with the third strip and started cleaning the cut above his right eye.

"Spike we're going to have to get out of here. Its not safe." She looked again at the wound in his chest. "Is it...”

"Gonna heal, yeah luv, just hurts a whole hell of a lot."

She nodded at him again and started throwing the spilled contents of her bag back in. "I can pull a car to the side door, the back windows are tinted." Her gaze flicked across the room. "We can use the comforter to cover you."

"We'll use mine. 's got special glass in it. Keeps me from turning into a roman candle. Keys are in my duster pocket." He watched as she rushed around the room gathering what little she had with her and stuffing it into the bag. Grabbing her purse she threw the strap over her shoulder and reached for his duster. Pulling out a set of keys she looked back over at him.

"Which one is it?"

"Just hit the open button it will beep at you." He breathed out.

"I'll be back in a second." She turned and slipped out the door. He could hear her pounding footsteps fade and a door slam shut.

He tried to maneuver himself to a sitting position and grimaced at the pain. He didn't want to think about how close this latest attempted staking had been. The shock of watching that stake as it came towards him reminding him of the battle in that alleyway. Way too close of a call. He shuddered at the thought of turning into something for a dust buster again.

Buffy was back in the doorway in just a few seconds and was glad to see Spike sitting up. She was going to need his help to get him to the car. Grabbing the comforter from the bed, she extended a free hand to him to pull him up. Using a slow steady pull, she managed to get him leaning towards her. Once he was steady, she draped the bedspread over his head. Circling her arm around his waist, she began to lead him from the room. They walked as briskly as possible down the few hundred feet of the hallway turning to the right Buffy pushed on the door blinking in the sunlight. Pulling him through the door, she pushed him into the open passenger side. Making sure the door was firmly shut she walked around the front of the car and got in the driver's side. Closing the door, she watched as he pulled the comforter off his head. At his nod she put the car in gear and drove away.
7 by Gerbnednav
Chapter 7

She reached over him for her purse, eyes never leaving the road she rummaged around until she triumphantly pulled out her cell phone. Hitting the auto dial she listened as it began to ring.

"Hello?"

"Faith I'm gonna need directions to your place." She blurted out.

"Everything cool?"

"Just the usual uninvited guests; kind of trashed my hotel room."

She could hear a slight chuckle on the other end. Buffy concentrated as Faith gave her the detailed instructions to get to the house she and Robin rented.

"Okay I got it." Buffy sighed slightly into the phone. "I know this is kind of an imposition considering the day but I kind of have a guest."

"B you pick up someone at the hotel?" She heard her snicker. "Takin' a page out of my book?"

Buffy groaned. "Faith... look you'll get it when we get there. But I have one more favor to ask."

"Shoot B."

"Do you know someplace where I could pick up some blood?" Buffy bit her bottom lip hoping that she wouldn't have to answer any questions now.

"I'll get someone to take care of it B. Why don't you just hightail it this way? We got a lot to do today and something tells me not all of it is about my wedding."

"Thanks Faith." She hit the button on the phone. Slowly letting out a pent up breath her eyes finally traveled to the vampire next to her. She noticed he sat rigid almost, head against the headrest, eyes closed. He looked pale, well paler than normal she noticed.

"Spike?" she asked him quietly.

His eyes opened blinked twice and he turned to look at her. "Yeah luv." he breathed.

"You alright?" Her voice started to tremble.

"Right as rain pet. Just need a little time to heal. Think the bleedin' stopped already." He gazed at her while she stared at the road in front of her. "Are you okay?" He watched her nod in agreement her hands tightening on the wheel. "How far we got to go?"

"Not too far, about fifteen minutes."

"Then I'm gonna close my eyes for a couple of minutes get a little rest." He settled his head back and let his eyes slip shut.
Relaxing a little, he suddenly felt her warm hand on his knee. Before he had time to react, he felt her give him a small squeeze and just as suddenly, the hand was gone. He concentrated on the hum of the engine letting it sooth his shattered nerves.

Buffy wondered how a morning so full of promise could crumble around her so quickly. Damn demons didn't they know when to leave well enough alone. She shook her head knowing that this was just typical of her short but eventful life. At least she had been with Spike. He understood all of this madness. It was good fighting along side him again; she had always enjoyed watching him beat an opponent. Although that wasn't what had happened today. She shuddered at the memory of watching the stake descending towards him. Too close. If she had been a second slower, if she hadn't just reacted and stopped to think he could be gone now. Not a thought she wanted to be entertaining right at this minute. She concentrated harder on driving them to their destination. If she didn't think about it she didn't have to face how she felt now. And that was definitely of the bad.

The rest of the trip passed quickly as Buffy saw the row of small houses dotting the street. As she pulled up to a beige two story home she reached out and took his hand in hers.

Rubbing his palm with her thumb, she stopped the car. Feeling her light touch, his eyes opened slowly.

"I'll go and make sure that Faith is close by so she can give you an invite. Don't want to tempt fate with you standing out here waiting." She smiled tightly.

"Go on luv, I'll wait right here."

She opened her door careful to make sure no stray light met his side of the car. Closing the door, she took a calming breath and walked the short distance to the door. Fingers shaking slightly she pushed the doorbell. She watched the door swing inward and there stood the once rogue slayer.

"Hey B good of you to make it." She looked past Buffy eyes searching. "Your guest still in the car?"

"Um yeah I'll just go get him." She could feel Faith's curious gaze as she sprinted to the passenger side of the car. Tapping on the window, she nodded her head. Straining to see inside she watched as he settled the comforter back over himself. Seeing him completely covered, she opened the door letting him find his footing. Again, she settled her arm around his waist mildly supporting him and led him quickly to the door. She watched the look on Faith's face as the other woman leaned on the doorjamb. Not wanting to read that look, she pulled him to a stop in front of her. Buffy ducked her head away from her gaze.

"Well..." She drawled, "Why don't you both come on in." She turned and stepped into the house.

Relived Buffy straightened up and lead him inside.

"So how many Vamps you know B?" Buffy closed the door behind them and turned to take the comforter off him.

"She bloody better not know more than one," came the muffled reply. Tugging hard Spike grunted in pain as the blanket finally fell off him.

"Whoa! Spike?" She shook her head in amazement. "Don't any of you stay dead?"

Buffy led Spike to the couch in the living room and sat him down. "Funny Faith. A little help here." She was trying to peak under the bandage she had put on him earlier. The bleeding had slowed considerably now just a mere trickle. The material had soaked through however and she needed to change the bandage.

"Sure let me get some stuff. Had Willow go out to the butchers she should be back soon." She turned and went down the hall.

Untying the bandage carefully she exposed the wound again. Looking at the hole in his chest she saw the blood drying on his shirt sticking to his skin and the wound.

"We gotta take your shirt off." Spike looked at her worried features.

"Knew you were just waitin' to get me undressed." He chuckled lightly.

"Ha ha. Don't you just wish?

Faith walked back in then, hands full with a first aid kit and a pair of scissors.

"Soooo something I should know?" She asked.

Taking the scissors Buffy began to cut through the front of his black tee shirt. "He's undead. Again." She slowly unpeeled the shirt from his skin. Opening it wide she got a better look at his injury. The edges were a little torn and it wasn't as deep as she had thought it to be in the hotel. She reached into the first aid kit and started to recover the wound with some gauze.

"Got that memo. Felt the tinglies when he was still in the car." She touched Buffy's shoulder gently. "Was thinking that there was a little more to the story."

Spike looked into Buffy's eyes and watched as she wrestled with her feelings yet again. He spoke slowly and carefully.

"Powers brought me and the poofter back. Sent me to look after her." He watched the rogue, knowing that Angel and her had shared a kind of bond.

"Angel's alive?"

"No he's still dead just not as dead as we were." She rolled her eyes at him. "He's staying in L.A."

"And this was his choice?" She surprised him by her insight.

He shrugged a little at her. "It was suggested to him. Powers want him to start helpin' the helpless again."

"And they sent you here to look after Buffy. Yet she's the one patching you up?" She smirked at him again.

Finished bandaging him up Buffy stood up. Turning to face the other woman, she smiled.

"I know it seems just a little odd doesn't it? I mean usually I'm rescuing him." Her smile took the sting out of her words. Both girls chuckled at his large groan.

"So what’s the deal? Makin' with the happy again?" It sometimes unnerved Buffy the way she could just stab right to the heart of the matter.

"We worked some things out. But I'm thinking we should get everyone here before." She moved and sat next to Spike on the couch. "Besides the guys we just fought. Not your everyday sort of thing."

"I'll start calling them in then. Robin is gonna be pissed that he missed out on this." Buffy's gazed quizzically at her. "Bad luck to see the Bride before the wedding."

"You got someplace we can lie him down for awhile then?"

"Yeah just down the hall there's a spare room. Think you can manage on your own?" He nodded slightly at her. "Good B and I actually have a little work to do."

Gathering himself, he rose slowly to his feet. "Be fine just wake me when everyone gets here." He placed a hand on Buffy's shoulder and squeezed slowly. "Go and do whatever you birds do to get ready." He walked slowly down the hall.

Faith turned back to Buffy looking the blonde over. She noticed the strain on her face.

"He'll be fine. Just got to let that Vampire healing kick in. Come on let me show you my dress." Dragging her by the arm, they went down the hall together.
chapter 8 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Okay so this isn't a new fic. I just realized that I never finished posting this one at least at this site. Since the site it was at no longer is up I think maybe I should like correct that. So here is the next chapter someday soon I may even be able to finish this one. Not that there should be much left when I finish posting the other chapters. Please let me know what you think since I lost all the reviews I did have on this story. Have I mentioned how much it bites when sites go bye bye? Anyway thanks to everyone that takes the time to read.
Buffy had managed to spend the last thirty minutes talking to Faith or rather listening as she went over her last minute details for the evening. Finally content that she would fulfill her role as bridesmaid the other slayer had let her excuse herself to go and check on Spike.

Closing the door behind her she stared at the figure on the bed lying perfectly still. That was the thing with vamps they slept like the dead literally. She didn't know how many times she had tried waking him out of a deep sleep and not getting a response. Not to mention the not breathing thing. Quietly she walked towards the bed stopping as she reached the foot of the bed she just watched as he slept.

Thinking of how close she had come to losing him again today was just too much. Now without anything to keep her focused her mind drifted back to the memory of watching the demon swing the stake towards Spike's chest. Her eyes closed at the memory. The fear and pain she had been keeping at bay suddenly overwhelming her small frame. Tears began to stream from her eyes as she sat softly on the bed. Forcing herself to look at him again she mentally chided herself for her reaction after all he was here now. His blurry form was resting somewhat comfortably. Buried in her own thoughts she didn't hear the front door open and close. Didn't notice the sound of voices talking in the kitchen.

She did however hear the door open behind her. Turning she watched Faith walk slowly in the room a mug in one hand, a box of tissues and a shirt in the other.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Thought you might want to give him this." She passed the mug to Buffy. Faith tilted the box of tissues towards her and placed the tee shirt next to her on the bed.

Gratefully taking one Buffy wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"Look...the others will be here soon. I can keep her busy until then but she's gonna want some answers."

"I know. Hope the others get here soon enough. It will be easier to do this with all of them here." She looked into the slayers dark eyes with her green ones. "I have a lot to explain."

"Go on get him squared away. I'll come get you when they get here."

Buffy smiled slightly. "Who are you and what have you done with Faith?"

The other woman smiled back. "Still me B." She glanced at Spike on the bed. "I'll be back." and she turned and walked out of the room.

When the click of the door echoed through the room she stood and walked over to the head of the bed. Setting the mug on the nightstand next to her she let her eyes travel over his face. Reaching out she touched his cheek. His eyes opened slowly.

"Hi."

"Hi yourself." She sat on the bed next to him. "Thought you might want to eat a little."

Spike pulled himself to sit upright. Silently she handed him the mug from the nightstand. He glanced into the mug looking at the red liquid finally noticing how hungry he was. It had been almost three days since he had last fed. How he was functioning so well surprised him. Quickly raising the glass he drained all of it in one long drink. Pulling the mug from his mouth he sat it back on the nightstand. Looking at her critically he tilted his head to one side in that endearing way he had.

"You been crying pet?" He reached his hand up and touched her cheek.

Buffy tried to turn her head away from the intensity of his gaze. "No." she managed to choke out.

"Hey look at me." he reached for her chin and gently turned her face back to him. "You have. Why?"

Not being able to help herself she felt the sting of the tears she had bitten back threaten to fall again. She felt his eyes search hers questioning, trying to understand the emotions he read there. Subconsciously she moved herself closer to him. Responding he wrapped his arms around her. As she leaned into his frame another small sob escaped her throat.

Grasping her tighter he felt her warm tears fall onto his skin. "Luv what is it?"

"Promise me you won't leave again."

He took a long breath. "Not going anywhere pet. Can't get rid of me that easily." He looked down at her upturned face. Seeing the uncertainty in her eyes he brought his mouth down on to hers kissing her hard. As he pulled away he smiled slightly. "I promise Buffy I'll do everything in my power to stay."

Sighing slightly she wiped the wetness from her face. She pulled herself out of his embrace and stood back up moving towards the tee shirt that Faith had left on the bed. Lifting it she shrugged at him. "Sorry about that. That was totally unfair."

He took the shirt from her hands leaning away from the wall he slipped it over his head. " 'Salright love."

"No it isn't. That was me being selfish. So not what I want to be." She took a deep breath. "Just it scared me you know?"

"Know a little to well." He pulled her closer to him. " 'sides I don't think the powers brought me back just to say hello and then get all dusty."

She looked at him thoughtfully. "You never did tell me why they did send you back."

"No don't suppose I did. You sure you want to know now?"

"No time like the present. Besides I don't want to take the chance of turning into avoidy girl about it."

"It's all cryptic like,” he said in warning.

"They always are go ahead it’s alright."

"Believe they said that I was to help you find you’re way again. They said that you were giving up on being the Slayer and your loved ones. Wanted me to make sure you found out that you were important still." He looked at her bemused expression. "Told me that whatever destiny you had was intertwined with my own."

"Let me get this straight... The all knowing Powers that Be thought that I had given up on my entire life and sent you here just so I would start slaying again and talk to my friends?" He shrugged at her. Buffy started to giggle and then was quickly taken over by pure laughter. Noticing his expression change from curiosity to anger she quickly started to force the chuckles back down her throat. "Sorry sorry. Just. " Another stifled giggle, "just I never gave up slaying. Yes I moved to a town that not much happens in but I wasn't going to stop my calling. I just needed sometime to heal. I was a little distracted and didn't want to face the great evil and get myself killed." She touched his knee.

"Then..."

"Spike how resistant were you to the idea of coming to see me?" she asked her eyes still twinkling.

"Honestly I was bloody terrified luv." The hand on his knee rubbed his leg affectionately.

"You didn't have to be." his eyes searched her face letting the words sink over him. "Really Spike didn't you think for a minute that I could have been just as miserable as you were?" she shook her head. "I think there's more to this then they told you. A whole lot more."

"So what are you saying?" His voice was gruff with confusion.

"I don't know what they had planned. I mean even without you here eventually I would have been back on the front lines. I can't give up who I am. And as for my family.... well I would have sought them out some time down the road." When he didn't seem to understand she touched his cheek.

"Spike I think they told you that so you would help me do this sooner rather than later. Or maybe to give you something. I don't know. Maybe they were just testing us. I hate these guys that’s why I was glad they dealt with Angel and left me alone."

"So you think I was being played again." He ground the last word out through clenched teeth.

"Maybe or maybe not. I don't really know why or do I really care how your back. I'm just glad you are." Her finger traced his jaw. "I'll tell Giles about it, if anything just to cover all our bases." Her fingers stopped at his lips. "Meanwhile I want to take advantage of the fact that some one up there likes us." her voice had almost dropped to a whisper. She felt his arms tighten around her and she lifted her face to his.

He kissed her slowly and gently this time savoring the texture of his lips against hers. With his tongue he traced her bottom lip pulling it into his mouth. Sucking and pulling he felt her moan deep in her throat. Slipping his tongue into her mouth he let it duel with hers. This time she pulled back slowly gasping for air. Looking into her bright green eyes he saw the desire beginning to burn there. Again he lowered his head to her slightly parted lips.

There was a knock on the door.

"Bloody hell!" he ground out.

"Everyone's here B." she heard Faith chuckle.

"I'll be right there." she called back. Lightly she kissed his cheek. "Sorry. I better get out there before they start really letting her have it. Give me a few minutes to talk to them all. I need to explain some stuff to them."

"Whatever you want luv."

She rose and strode towards the door. Grabbing the knob she turned and looked back at him a smile softly turning her lips. "I love you."

He gaped at her as she walked out and closed the door behind her.
Chapter 9 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hi again. I figure that I'll post at least one chappie a day until I catch up. SO here is the one for today. Thanks again to everyone who stopped to read.
In the hallway Buffy took a deep breath hoping to steady the sudden nerves she felt facing people she had known for the last ten years. It was kind of ridiculous in a way. She had only been the same Buffy she always was putting up the emotional barriers that tried to keep her wounded heart from scarring anymore. Why her friends had expected that she be any different confused her. They had known the loss she was feeling from first hand experience and all had dealt with the pain in different ways. It didn't mean any of them had been wrong or right. It was just dealing with the pain. She thought about all the people they had lost as they stuck together. Her mom, Jenny Calendar, Tara, and Anya. She had known how much they had grieved for her when she had died. They had all known so much heartache.

Squaring her shoulders she walked into the living room. She stepped forward taking in the expectant faces of her closest friends the people she considered her family. She looked over at Faith who was leaning against the wall close to the hallway.

"Did you get Dawn on the line?"

Faith pointed to the coffee table where the phone sat red light blinking that there was someone on the other end.

Buffy smiled she thought it best to start with her sister.

"Dawnie!" She said loudly.

"Buffy!" came the answer. She looked at each of them in turn Willow and Xander sitting on the couch. She thought both of them looked older now. Giles sat in a recliner next to the couch his calm eyes studying her carefully. She gave each of them a warm smile in return.

"Hey everyone." They kind of just stared at her. Knowing they weren't going to say anything without her making the first move she opened her arms wide. "What no hug?"

The tension in the room dissolved immediately. The three were scampering to their feet running over to her. Soon she was surrounded with the warmth and affection she had always cherished from this special group. She chuckled.

"Kay need a little air here." Everyone kind of backed up a little breaking their embrace. "Sit we've got a lot to talk about and not a lot of time."

"Not to be rude or anything but...” Xander looked at her carefully. "What’s with the happy Buffy?"

"Xander. I'm happy to see you and Willow and Giles. I'm even happy to see Faith."

"Kay now I know something isn't right. You're happy to see Faith?"

"B are you gonna get on with this or what?" Faith tapped her foot impatiently.

"Yeah yeah. You guys are going to have to bear with me. The first part of this really I need to get through without interruption"

"Whatever you need Buffy. You know we're here for you." The red head gazed at her with concern.

"I know Willow really. And that is part of this. I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am for the way I've treated you guys since..." she thought for a second, "well since Sunnydale fell into that giant crater. I know we've all been going through a lot since then and I know that I was being closed off to you. I didn't do it to hurt any of you I swear. Just you know me. It's either General Buffy or avoidy girl with the feelings."

"Buffy you don't have anything to apologize for. It was a really tough period of adjustment for you."

"Giles that's just it I didn't adjust. I was just going through the motions like I did when I first came back. I was just better at it this time. Gives me no excuse for pushing any of you away when you just wanted to be there for me." She gave a sad smile to Xander. "And it doesn't give me an excuse for not being there for you when you needed me. I'm sorry Xander."

He looked at her shocked. "Me?"

"Yeah you. I should have been more concerned with what you were going through. I know exactly how it felt and I never could express how sorry I was that you had lost Anya." She sighed. "We should have stuck together and we didn't and I'm sorry."

She looked at the phone on the table. "I'm sorry to you too Dawnie."

"Buffy wha...?"

"No Dawn I should have been able to comfort you. You'd lost just as much as I had and all I did was pull you halfway around the world. You needed stability and I wasn't able to give it to you. And I know how much losing Spike meant to you." she heard sniffles on the other end of the phone. "I'm sorry Dawn can you forgive me."

"There's nothing to forgive I love you Buffy."

"You've grown up way to fast you know that right? I love you too Dawn."

"Giles, Willow I think I hurt you two most of all. I let you guys down time after time and only thought how I was feeling or denying what I was feeling anyway. I know that now. I just wanted to let you know how much you guys have meant to me." She turned to face Giles. "You know that my Father and I were never close and after my parents were divorced how alone I felt. You've been there for me Giles the closest thing to a father any girl can ask for. I know we don't always see things the same way but I guess that's the point right?"

He stared as if she had suddenly grown two heads. She quickly turned to Willow.

"Wills I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry if you ever felt shut out. I don't mean to do it you know?" She looked into the Wicca’s kind face. "I just want you to know there isn't anything that I feel I can't tell you. It just takes some time for me to work up the nerve to get it out in the open."

"Did I leave anyone out?" Faith cleared her throat. "Oh please we already worked out the fact that we're way to similar." She rolled her eyes. "Just wanted to let you know that I am happy for you. I'm glad you found someone that makes you happy. Slayer's need that."

"Not that I don't appreciate the sentiments here but what exactly has brought on this insightful monologue?"

She smiled back at Giles. "I spent the last couple of months working some stuff out on my own. I just don't want to be regret girl anymore. I want to be the girl who can look back and say yeah that didn't work out but at least I tried. I want to embrace life. Not run from it."

"Buffy that's well that’s great!" Willow exclaimed.

"Good cause now there is a little something I need to tell all of you." She nodded at Faith who walked down the hall. "You know that I brought a guest here with me?" They all nodded. "I kind of ran into an old friend." She heard the gasps as Spike stepped into the room behind her.

The room broke out in pandemonium. Everyone was talking at once asking questions throwing expletives in the air. She could here Dawn shouting what and who into the phone trying to figure out what was going on. She grabbed Spikes hand and gave it a tight squeeze.

"Guys come on settle down we'll explain everything we swear." The four voices quieted and three sets of anxious eyes fell on them.

"Spike how is this possible?" Giles voice of reason spoke first.

"SHIT! Spike?" came through the phone.

" 'Bit language." he said a chuckle behind his words.

"When? How? I mean you told me that..." came from Xander.

"Yes I told you exactly what happened he died." She squeezed his hand again "Go ahead Spike."

He took the time to explain what had happened when they came back in L.A. and how he had contacted Andrew to find Buffy.
The others were quiet trying to take in what he was telling them.

"So let me understand this. You and Dead boy Sr. are just brought back and told to live your merry little lives?" Sarcasm dripped from Xanders words.

"It is highly unbelievable that said Powers would bring you both back without wanting something in return." Giles finished.

"They do want something but its not what they had explained to him we need to figure that out." Buffy cleared her throat. "I really need your help with this." She gestured nervously with her hands. "Something else happened this morning that we need some research on too."

She explained about the demon trio breaking into the hotel room trying to remember all the details about the new creatures. She finished by telling them about the other demon of the trio just vanishing when she had killed the leader.

"I've never seen anything like them. The leader when I was battling him was just like hitting any other demon but the one Spike fought didn't seem fazed by anything."

"Was like fightin' a bloody wall." Spike grumbled.

"Okay so we get on the research then. Find out why the baddies know your here."

"That's the plan Wills. But I have one more thing to talk to you guys about." Faith sighed and looked at her watch. "I won't take long."

"What's going on Buffster?"

"Remember how I said that regret girl was a thing of the past?" She smiled as she heard Giles groan and looked at Willows happy expression. She even heard a cheer over the phone from her sister. As always Xander was the only one that didn't get it. He gave her a blank look waiting for an explanation. Spike's hand came up and rested on her shoulder. She felt comforted by his cool touch. "Xander think for a second." She watched as he tried to concentrate. Shaking her head she gave in.

"I realized in the last two months that I love Spike took me losing him to get my attention. So since I love him and he still loves me....” she waited for him to connect the dots.

"Are you sure about this Buffy?" Giles prodded gently.

"I know what your thinking Giles and yes I'm sure. No regrets remember? I want to give us a chance to work this out."

Xander sputtered trying to make an intelligible sound. After several seconds he seemed to give up and than started again.

"Buffy I can't believe you would....?"

"I would want him in my life after all we've been through together?" She finished for the young man. "The past is gone Xander and I need to move forward. I think trying to move forward with some one who loves me completely and that I trust more than anything is a step in the right direction." She smiled gently at him.

"No one is more surprised than me whelp." He spoke clearly. "Not going to do anythin' to hurt her."

"I didn't think you would fang face. Whatever makes you happy Buff." Spike blinked at him in surprise. He smiled back at him. "What people grow you know. Life changes you."

"Quite. Is this everything Buffy anything else we need to know?"

"No that was everything I think. Maybe Willow, Faith and I need to start getting ready?"

" 'Bout time B. Come on lets go upstairs." Willow rose to the couch and crossed the room to Buffy. She gave her a hug.

"I'm glad you’re happy." Buffy squeezed her back.

"Thank you."

Than to his amazement the little redhead grabbed Spike in a tight embrace. It took a minute for him to get over the shock and hug her back.

"Welcome back Spike."

"Thanks Red." Buffy could hear the emotion in his voice.

Buffy stepped closer to him. "You should probably rest again. Not much is gonna happen for awhile." He nodded at her. She reached up and kissed his cheek.

"Hey Dawn!"

"Yeah?"

"I'll call you a little later okay?"

"You better and I want to talk to Spike too. I still have a piece of my mind to give him."

Buffy chuckled. "Later."

"Bye Buffy." She reached over and hung up the phone. She met the other women at the base of the stairs and the three of them went up.
Chapter 10 by Gerbnednav
Spike tried to let sleep take over him again. He tried to make himself comfortable in the center of the bed. But sleep eluded him. His mind kept wandering thinking over the reactions from Buffy's friends. He hadn't expected anyone to get up and stake him at the prospect of the two of them together. She would have never allowed it. However to be welcomed with open arms by Red and to have Giles and Harris take the news quietly if not with resignation wasn't something he had prepared for.
He wondered not for the first time how much things had changed since he had seen the sodden hellmouth close.

He shifted a little on the bed. To tell the truth even though there was a slight twinge in his chest he could tell the wound was closing up. It really wasn't necessary for him to try to rest anymore and he knew that he didn't have to stay in the bedroom. The only alternative however was to go out there and sit with the watcher and the boy as they pawed their way through some dusty old books trying to find something out about the demons they had fought. Not something he really wanted to participate in.

Listening carefully he could hear the girls laughing upstairs. It was good to hear the three of them laughing kind of carefree. He knew that they all had come from such dark places in their lives.

So lying on the bed he willed the time to pass. Not wanting to join in but not wanting to be left out. It scared him how much he really felt the need to be accepted by this group. He had been around them so long just on the fringes of this tight knit circle that she had always kept around her. He couldn't even imagine the pain she must have been feeling for her to cut herself off from them. Using his vamp hearing earlier he had listened closely to what she had to say to them. The walls she was tearing down leaving herself open. It amazed him to no end. There was a time when he was the only one she could talk to, the only one she could tell her deepest fears. Seems that too had changed. And not for the first time he wondered what the hell he was doing here.

The I love you she had said to him as she left the room had stunned him. He didn't know how long he had stared at the door after she had left. A million years could pass and he would never get over the shock of those three little words coming out of the slayers mouth directed at a vampire of all things. The irony was just too much. There had to be a higher power out there somewhere. Who else could enjoy such a cosmic joke?

He stared at the clock on the far wall. It was nearing two o’clock. He couldn't take it anymore he had to get out of the room. The boredom was going to be the death of him.

Walking back into the living room he watched as Xander helped himself to another doughnut. Both men had books scattered all around them.

"You got a whole library out in your car Ripper?"

The man snorted towards him. "This is just my emergency stash." He gestured for Spike to take a recliner that was across from them. "How are you feeling?"

The question knocked him for a loop. "Watcher I'm touched didn't know you cared." he mocked the man by placing a hand over his heart.

"And I didn't say that I did." the cold response made him wish he didn't always have to be so flippant. "Buffy told us about your injury."

Spike shrugged self-consciously. "It's pretty much healed now."

Giles nodded at him.

*********

The time passed quicker here out in the living room. There wasn't much talking just the occasional murmur about different possible demons. Spike shifted in his chair again growing uncomfortable.

"Hey are you guys going to get ready or what?" All three heads turned to stare at the women that had walked down the stairs. He could feel the same reaction in the men behind him. Painfully they all blinked in unison.

Buffy and Willow were dressed in pale blue strapless dresses. Both of the had their hair swept up with a few curls draping their necks. The dresses hung on each of their curves draping sensually over their figures. Faith's white dress was fully sleeved with lace and the front had a plunging neckline. Beaded finely in the front it fit snugly over her hips sweeping delicately to her feet. She wore her hair up also and her veil was arranged with small flowers. The three of them had a perfectly feminine smile on their lips. Pride swelling in each of them over the effect they were having on the men in the room.

Buffy tapped her foot at the silence that followed her question.

"Hello earth to guys." She said impatiently.

"Um yes I suppose that would be best." Giles managed to stutter out.

Spike had managed to get to his feet without thinking. He couldn't believe the beauty before him. She positively radiated with her perfection. If he had to breathe he would be gasping for air. It was like he was drowning being pulled in by her luminescence. Who said the poet in him was dead.

"Buffy you..." he gulped. "You look beautiful love."

Buffy beamed back at him. "Thank you." she started to giggle as the sound of people clearing their throats came from behind her.

For once Xander caught on without any help.

"You all look amazing." He blushed.

The three of them in unison turned their eyes to Giles. And not surprisingly he took off his glasses and began to clean them.

"Yes um you all look quite beautiful. I'll just collect my things from the car then."

"Um Giles would you mind getting my things from the boot of my car?" He asked the question his voice low so only the watcher would hear him.

Luckily the man was feeling generous today it seemed he just nodded his head.

"Don't take to long you guys. Limo will be here in less than an hour."

*********

The wedding itself had been relatively simple. Faith had looked stunning of course as Giles led her down the aisle. The older man had been flattered that she had asked even though he knew that she really didn't have anyone else suitable for the role. Only Buffy, Willow and an old friend of Robin's had stood up front with the couple as they exchanged their vows. Buffy could see the obvious love flow between the two of them. It was wonderful to watch. All to quickly the ceremony was over and they were leaving the small hall where the ceremony was held. They passed the small gathering of people mostly friends of Robin's and a few of the newer slayers that could leave their positions for a day or so. The sun had already set for the day the autumn chill settling into the air.

There was only a small moment of trepidation as the poor groom got into the limo only to be joined by the platinum blond vampire whom he had thought dead. A brief explanation was all it took for the man to forget about the bleached vamp and focus on his new wife beside him. That and her strong hand holding onto his knee. The short ride was than filled with warmth and laughter. Old friends being able to catch up with one another.

The place they had rented for the reception was kind of tiny but with such a small group no one minded. They were served dinner and after a toast from the best man a dj was brought in. Being as this was Faith no sappy love songs were played. It was one hell of a party. The open bar had been a great idea according to Spike and very few disagreed with him. Buffy sipped on her single glass of wine eyes dancing as she watched Wills and Xander dancing together. She was happy and it was wonderful. The only thing she thought was missing was the fact that Dawn wasn't there. But she knew it was okay.

Spike had watched her all night. His eyes couldn't be torn away from the woman he had wanted for so long. She had never looked happier. He wanted to grab her and never let go. Wanted to bury his nose in her hair and breathe in the scent of her shampoo. Hold her as she slept and comfort her when she was sad. He just wanted to be near her. The sight of her as she had first came down those stairs had confirmed what he had known all along. She was the one.

Standing he came up behind her hand touching her shoulder.

"Hey pet."

"Spike." she smiled as his name fell from her lips. She placed her hand over his.

" 'avin' a good time?"

"Very." She giggled. "Look at them out there. Like old times."

He smiled with her. The two out on the dance floor were lost in the music laughter swirling around them.

"Why aren't you out there?"

"Ummm good question. Maybe I should?" She squeezed his hand. "Unless you would rather I stay with you."

"Go have fun with your mates. I can entertain myself for awhile." She squealed in delight and nearly ran to join the other two.

Now the scene before him had the strange sense of deja vu. He thought of the first time he had seen her dancing with them at the Bronze. He had been trapped then he just hadn't known it. Now he didn't kid himself with how obsessed he had been after that first meeting. How he couldn't wait to see her again. In that respect not much had changed she was the only thing on the planet worth dying for but most importantly she was the only thing worth living for. He continued to watch as their bodies swayed in time to the music. He could hear her laughter from where he was sitting.

"I think that I am getting too old for this." He listened as the watcher sat with a huff.

"Nonsense Ripper. I'm way older than you." He looked the man in the eye. "Aged better too."

"Funny. I should think you would be bored by now."

Spike snorted at him and turned again to watch her dancing. "Can't get bored when I'm with her."

"Spike." He turned at the seriousness in the man's tone. "What are you planning?" The vamp gave a little shrug. "I mean the future for you and her."

"I don't know. I 'aven't thought any further than the fact that she told me she loved me."

"No I don't suppose there's been the time."

"Somethin' on your mind watcher?"

He started cleaning his glasses with a napkin from the table. "You know how I feel about her right?" Spike nodded. "I love her like I would a daughter and in some ways I think we are closer than that. Her happiness is something that has always mattered to me." he paused slightly. "I know that she is happy with you. And yes we knew that she loved you even when she wouldn't admit it. These last few months have been extremely difficult for her." He gestured towards the trio. "But so we are clear... if for any reason you ever hurt her know that I will make sure you are so much dust in the wind."

"Fuck watcher if I hurt her I'd rather stake myself."

"And I know that too. I just wanted to make sure we understood each other." His warm gaze fell onto Spikes blue eyes. "Just make her happy." And with that he stood up and walked away from the table.

"Christ what the hell just happened here?" he muttered to himself.

"Spike." he was startled to see her standing right in front of him. "Dance with me."

The music had changed he was noticing now. A slower song and people were pairing off on the dance floor.

"Buffy I don't..." he started then stopped. Who was he kidding of course he wanted to dance with her. What was the harm?
"Of course." He stood taking her hand in his as he walked into the center of the floor.

Slipping his arm around her waist he pulled her in closer to him and together they began to move to the music. She inched closer still resting her head on his shoulder. They moved together bodies touching softly.

Buffy felt the coolness of his skin through the dark blue dress shirt he wore. The feel of his arms around her was a little piece of heaven. She felt so at peace in the haven of his arms. Right now there wasn't a force on earth strong enough to pull her away from this spot. She never would have imagined a time when she would feel a love this strong and so all encompassing. Never would she let it go again. It was only stupid pride that had kept them from being like this only a stupid and wrong sense of what was good and bad. She knew now that she would never want or need another in her life. She finally felt complete. And that was the only thing in the entire world that mattered.
chapter 11 by Gerbnednav
The entire world was spread out before him trembling in his gaze. The feeling of power was all consuming now and it filled his body making it hum with electricity. He spread his hand out before him watching the sparks as they made the shadows dance. Cackling he let his amusement fester in his eyes. Soon it would all be soon.

Glaring at the lowly minion before him he waited for his answer.

"We are ready my master." It bowed his head.

His glance swept from the speaker and over the once proud banquet hall. In times past it was a grand place full of life and music and laughter. Now it was dark and deserted and the stench of death polluted the air. He smiled such was a perfect fit for his new home. It was as though he was destined to be here. But even destiny would soon feel fear of him.

"Good." He stared at the crowd before him. Taking in the light from the computers in the corner of the room everyone waiting for his word to begin. "The time of cleansing..." He nodded letting them know to start signaling the others "begins now."

The cheers from the demons and vampires was almost deafening. Pleased he smiled.

*********

They had gotten back from the reception just after nine that night. While others would think it late, for this group the evening was really just beginning. Spike and Buffy had quickly gone to change wanting to be ready in case they felt the need to patrol.
The others had resettled in the living room of Faith's place and started diving into research mode full steam.

Buffy was glad that Faith had invited her and Spike to stay until they had gotten some answers. She knew that without Faith here even with two junior slayers in the area someone should really pick up the slack. Just until she was back. What were another few days? After all it wasn't like she had a job or anyone waiting for her in California.

But to tell the truth she was in no hurry to leave. After the long absence she wasn't ready to leave the people she was with now. She wondered if they were comfortable with the reasons she had given them about her distance. Most of it was true. So she left out a minor detail here and there. She felt downright bad about it. Sighing she slumped in her chair.

Spike looked up at the small sigh she made. The others didn't even notice the tiny rush of breath she had released. He knew that she was getting antsy. Research wasn't where either of them excelled. He knew they needed to be out there trying to find whatever those things were.

"AHA!" Willow sat up proudly.

"What is it?" Giles asked expectantly.

Willow held up the book she had been reading turning it so Buffy and Spike could see the picture. "Is this the demon you saw?"

"Bingo Red that’s them." Buffy nodded her agreement.

"No that's him."

"Huh?" Buffy asked.

"It says here that it’s a cameria demon." She passed the book to Giles. Looking over the text carefully he suddenly straightened pulled his glasses off and began cleaning them.

"Oh dear." he muttered.

Xander groaned. "That's so not good."

"Giles answers please." Buffy asked impatiently.

"The Cameria demon is not one normally found on our plane of existence. It has a very clever ability to split into separate copies of itself. The copies are nearly undefeatable except by attacking the head. Since they are to distract any would be opponents it leaves the original to achieve whatever tasks it has. The demon itself is very vulnerable to attack just as most others are."

"So that's why the other one vanished."

"When you killed the original the force which made the copy was severed." he placed his glasses back on. "That is not all however, this demon would not have come of its own accord to this dimension. It would have been summoned to achieve a certain goal."

"Like maybe killing a slayer?" She asked. "So someone with a grudge against me summoned one of these camera demons."

"That seems the likely answer. There is one other thing though. Anyone who could summon this demon would have to be extremely powerful." Buffy shrugged at him. "I mean that there are Gods who could not summon one of these creatures."

She tensed at his words. A being more powerful than a god. That was all she wanted to hear.

"Well any ideas on who could bring it here and want me dead?" she asked the group.

All eyes fell to the floor. Everyone was lost in his or her own thoughts. She was sure none of them would answer. It was just as well. She knew she had plenty of enemies from first hand experience. The last year had proven that even if she hadn't met a particular baddie it was still pissed at her for releasing all the new slayers into the world and spoiling all their fun. She stood and began to pace.

"Okay so we don't know. And now I'm guessing we're out of leads. So Spike would you like to go out and patrol see if we can scare up some info?"

"Sounds alright to me Pet."

She nodded and walked to a chest in the room. Opening the lid she grabbed a stake and slid it into her waistband. A glance at Spike and he nodded his agreement. She tossed a second stake to him and he placed it in the pocket of his duster.

"Maybe we could try searching for something that would have enough power to bring one of these demons here. Give us something to go on. Like the process of elimination." Willow smiled. "I could even go get my computer. Be high tech researchy girl."

"Good idea Wills." She smiled at her warm and affectionately. "We'll be back soon."

And with that they both slipped out of the door.
chapter 12 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
thanks for the reviews Heres the next chapter for ya!
Loud giggles echoed through the empty graveyard the sound bouncing off of the tombstones and cold mausoleums. A dry chuckle followed mingling together spreading through the darkness ahead of them.

"A puppet you can't be serious." Buffy tried to get her giggles to stop. She leaned against a tall monument.

"Serious and you can't even mention Jim Henson to him now. Makes him totally bonkers." His eyes got a wistful look. "Wes always got a good laugh outta that."

Instantly Buffy felt the mood change. The lighthearted feeling they were trying to maintain evaporated like so much mist. In its place the feeling of denied sorrow swept over them seeping into their skin. She felt the giggles die in her throat at once.

"Spike." She looked at him her shared sorrow showing plainly in her hazel eyes. "I'm sorry about... I know you got the chance to get to know them and.... well I'm sorry."

" 'Salright pet." He leaned next to her. "They were a good lot."

"I. I mean you should probably know we... we found the others... that day we uh we... Shit. We saw that they all had proper funerals. Contacted their families and such." she placed her hand on his arm. "If you ever feel the need they're buried just outside Los Angeles."

He placed his hand over hers giving a small squeeze. "Thanks Luv." Silence settled over the two of them. He watched as a slight breeze blew some leaves around the graves in front of them. The thoughts in his mind swirled gently reminding him of the leaves being tossed about so carelessly by the unseen force. "Buffy why weren't you angry when you saw me last night?" He saw her eyes narrow in confusion. "You had every right to be mad at me. You weren't why?"

Looking down she stared at a spot on her foot. She thought about all the ways she could tell him the full truth. Let him know everything make sure there was nothing to hold back. Now was not the right time. Oh but how she wanted to tell him. Just open up completely let it all spill out like a dirty little secret. Again she was going to have to settle with a version of the truth.

Spike watched her bent head staring down at her feet. He could see the change in her body language how her shoulders tensed up how her back was a little straighter.

She looked back up at him taking in the questions pouring out of those clear blue eyes.

"You're alive Spike. How the hell could I be mad at you?" She pushed herself off of the stone walking ahead again. "Yes I was angry when I found out you were alive. For like a few seconds. There wasn't time for me to be mad." As she kept walking Spike started walking falling into step beside her. "I just wanted a chance to tell you everything to let you know how I felt. And yes when you were dead again I was pissed. But not at you. I was mad at life at time." She stopped looking at him. "I'll even admit when you told me why you had stayed away I got a little angry. But I love you I really do and with that comes a whole lot of forgiveness." She gave him a slight smile.

The sound of a snapping twig drew both of their attentions. Their heads turning in unison to the area to the right of them. Buffy noticed it then her spidey sense was going haywire. Usually she would be able to tell how many vamps were in an area separating their individual signatures. She could isolate the warm comforting tingle that she always recognized as Spikes and shoved that feeling aside. Now however she couldn't get enough focus to determine how large a crowd was gathering here. That worried her. She had fine-tuned the sense and knew that she could easily distinguish between seven or eight vamps. It all meant that this group was a whole lot bigger than that.

Spike sensed the unease in her stance and he knew that he was about to get into something not at all pleasant. He could make out some of the vamps as they skirted the edge of his vision. Still a little way off then. As the figures gathered he counted silently and he could make out at least eight of them forming in a circle around them.

They only had time to turn and press their backs together as suddenly the first group of vamps started their attack. Luckily for the two of them this group seemed to be mostly fledglings maybe a few minions mixed in. The both of them were all fists and feet.

Buffy took out the first two with a minimal amount of effort. Two punches to the face and a fluid movement sent a dust cloud around her. A kick to the head and one to the gut followed by the stake coming up as the vamp doubled over took care of the second. The third managed to get a punch in to her head. Knocking her back and away from her defensible position with Spike. As she ducked the bloodsucker’s next punch she felt her fourth vamp jump on her back. She turned quickly managing to throw it off of her and into the nearest head stone knocking it unconscious. She kicked the third one this time sending it spinning. A fifth one sent his own foot right into her stomach he followed it with a sharp right hook into her jaw. Staggering back she regained her footing. The vamp took the opportunity to come charging for her. She used its momentum to throw him back into the monument that she and Spike had been leaning on. The third vamp came back towards her and she threw three quick punches at it making it fumble backwards. Seizing the weakness she drove the stake home. Just in time to feel a kick to the kidneys from another vamp. Bringing its leg up for a second kick Buffy tucked and rolled underneath it coming back up to where the third vamp had been watching. While it looked on in surprise she swung the stake again.

Spike was looking forward to this. He hadn't had a decent fight since he had come back considering the outcome of his fight with the demons that morning. Had it only been earlier today? So much had happened in such a short amount of time.

He watched as four of them began to form a semi circle around him. They let two others slip through them when they were close enough he let his fists do a little introduction. A quick jab to the first, followed by a right to the second vamp gave him an opening. He sent two punches to the nose into the first followed by a kick in the gut to the second. As the first one came back for him he sidestepped and plunged the stake home. He grabbed the second by the head and pulled it into his knee thrusting the stake into his back. Now his back no longer against Buffy's the four waiting vamps close in on him. He rubbed his hands in anticipation. Not stopping to concentrate on his moves he let his body dictate the actions he needed. He banged the heads of the next two together stunning them and he tossed them back into the other two. One dodged and came up next to him. He punched it in the head and followed it with a second punch to his jaw. He kicked hard into its solar plexus sending it back into the other three. Quickly he jumped on him and seemed to pin the rest of them down. Thrusting his stake he dusted the one on top and managed to get the one directly underneath before they could struggle to throw him off. The remaining two knocked him to the ground. As they stood above him he kicked out and sent one of them flying into a nearby crypt while managing to grab the leg of the other one brining it to the ground. Rolling he brought himself up and sent his stake into its chest. His fourth vamp flung itself at him and this time he ducked waiting for it to pass as it did he brought the stake up and was covered in dust. Now he could make out two more of them coming closer to where Buffy was just finishing up her last vamp.

She set her feet preparing to finish off her sixth vamp. As she finished her swing she could see two more vamps making their way towards her. She could tell these two were different than the younger ones they had been fighting. These guys had some years in them not master vamps by any means but not inexperienced like the fledglings. Suddenly wary she let her eyes drift for a moment locating Spike. With relief she saw him make his way towards her and the approaching two.

Both vamps then quickly split and each started to advance one on one. As they got closer Buffy noticed that her vamp had an ax gripped in his hand. He broke into a run and swung the ax she jumped back as it crossed in front of her chest. She ducked and dodged his swings each coming faster and faster. Finally on as the vamp followed through a swing bringing the ax up above his head she managed to sink a hit into his face. The vamp didn't seem fazed and again started to bring the weapon to strike her.

Spike fought with the more mature vamp toying with it just a little. His strength was far superior to this adolescent and he held back the first few of his punches to prolong the fight. He was enjoying himself until the bastard got in a lucky kick to his head and sent him reeling backwards to the ground. Now he was pissed. Jumping to his feet he swung striking the vamp in jaw sending it back and to the right. He gave it a roundhouse kick and the youngster fell back against a headstone. The break gave him time to look at where Buffy was fighting the ax wielder. He noticed that she was still holding her own and smiled. That was his girl. He had made his way to the fallen vamp and he sat on his chest. He let punches rain down on its face blow after blow sounding through the night.

She had gotten a few good shots now at her current attacker. He was starting to slow now the movements with the ax not so precise. She was able to dodge them and strike out at it in between. She saw Spike out of the corner of her eye sitting on the vamps chest beating the hell out of its face.

"Spike keep yours alive I want to ask him some questions!" She shouted as she ducked the next swing.

Hearing her voice he looked up he saw her punch the vamp in the face. Something moved behind her and caught his attention.

"BUFFY!"

Her head turned at the alarm in his voice to late to make any move as the previously unconscious vamp used a forgotten board as a club and struck her in the head. The blow distracted her and she had no time to react as the ax was sunk deep in her stomach.

He was up off of his vamp running before the board had struck her. He drew back his stake and struck the ax vamp as he buried the weapon in her stomach.

"NO!" he watched as she slowly began to sink to her knees. The fledgling behind her began to swing the board at her and Spike let loose a deep growl throwing himself at the vamp. He made a grab for its head and wrenched fountains of anger fueling his strength. Its head came clean off and it exploded into dust.

Turning he saw her still on her knees breathes coming irregular and shallow. He felt his heart twist as on of her small hands curled around the handle of the ax and gave it a good yank. She sent it flying into the night letting out a painful groan. He was there at her side dropping to his own knees, hands going around her shoulders. He could see the blood gushing from the open wound.

"Buffy." her name came out as tortured whisper.
chapter 13 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews I'm glad that everyone seems to be enjoying this so far. Believe it or not my reposting has even got the old writer's block to budge for this one and I'm actually making progress on it. Shocking I know. Anyway thanks to everyone for continuing to read and let me know what you think.
"NO!" he watched as she slowly began to sink to her knees. The fledgling behind her began to swing the board at her and Spike let loose a deep growl throwing himself at the vamp. He made a grab for its head and wrenched fountains of anger fueling his strength. Its head came clean off and it exploded into dust.

Turning he saw her still on her knees breaths coming irregular and shallow. He felt his heart twist as one of her small hands curled around the handle of the ax and gave it a good yank. She sent it flying into the night letting out a painful groan. He was there at her side dropping to his own knees, hands going around her shoulders. He could see the blood gushing from the open wound.

"Buffy." her name came out as tortured whisper.

She raised her head and looked into his eyes. Raising a hand she began to gently stroke his cheek.

"We've got to get you to the hospital love."

"No" she said strength behind her weak sounding voice.

"Slayer if we don't get you there now your gonna bleed to death." His voice was desperate. Spike was feeling something near hysteria clawing its way through his body.

"Spike no. No hospitals." She moved her legs so she could sit fully on the grass underneath her. She looked down at the wound in her midsection noticing as the blood pooled onto her jeans and was spreading on the ground near her.

"Buffy." His voice was rising to alarming levels. His hands tightened on her shoulders and he began to pull her up.

Her hand clamped onto his wrist the strength in her grasp causing him to stop his movement.

"Don't." She saw the terror in his eyes felt his panic in the air around her. She knew she was going to have to tell him no use holding back now. She wanted to hold him, comfort him, and reassure him that everything was okay. Trying to get her breathing under control she gritted her teeth from the pain. Glancing behind her she saw a marker that was behind her. Pushing herself backwards with her hands she came close enough to lean against it. She closed her eyes briefly trying to gather her thoughts.

The scent of her blood was filling the air all around them the strong smell of it pounded into his head. He knew that there wasn't much time left. Spike had spent years perfecting technique knowing how much blood a human body could lose before the person began to shut down. He realized he was breathing heavily he was fighting the panic coursing through his body. Every muscle and fiber screaming for him to move get her out of here make her safe. What was he supposed to do he didn't know couldn't think and get a clear thought in. He just knew he couldn't lose her, not like this, not ever again.

"Spike..." her voice was quiet and he moved closer to her. "It’s okay."

" 'S not okay. You aren't going to die on me. We're going now." His voice was rougher the panic edging it painfully.

"No." she said it again her hand reinforcing her word with a squeeze. "Not gonna die."

"Pe..."

"Not gonna die. Can't." She bit the words out. She was starting to feel dizzy from the blood loss and she hoped she could fight it off long enough to get through this. "Spike gotta..." she took a ragged breath. "Trust me."

"Buffy your bleedin' out let me help you." His eyes sunk into hers dark with fear and pain.

"Trust me." She said it louder. Her eyes clear and open to him. "Things I need to tell you." She shifted her weight a little and gasped from the pain. "Fuck." She let out a breath slowly trying to get a handle on the agony that was burning in her belly. "Gonna be okay just need time."

He opened his mouth to protest.

"Spike look." she gestured to the wound with her hand.

He could see her shirt glistening from the blood that had stained it red. But before where he could see the blood spilling out of her now it seemed to be slow like sap running from a tree. He focused himself listening to her breathing painful but clear. He listened for her heart and heard a steady strong beat. It hadn't weakened from the loss of blood at all. Confused he looked back into her eyes. He didn't know how she could be so calm how she could be so sure.

"I'll explain soon just let me..." another slow breath "need some time." They heard a loud groan from the vamp Spike had left beaten a few yards away. Both turned their heads to the sound. "Go. Get answers." He turned back to her. "Be fine. Not going to go anywhere."

He didn't want to. He wanted to stay right where he was. What the hell would it matter why they had attacked if she was gone. Her words should have reassured him but they weren't even close to doing that. He only felt like he could walk away after hearing the beat of her heart. Still strong still humming with life.

Standing over the male vamp he took in his black hair. He would have noticed his face except now it was just a map of where his fists had been bloodied bruised puffy. If the guy had his eyes open Spike couldn't tell they were so swollen. He reached down and grabbed him by the collar pulling him into a sitting position.

"Talk." he growled.

"Unhhh." was all the beaten thing managed.

"Talk now." Spike pressed his stake against his chest.

"Wha... what do you want to know?" he forced out.

"Who sent you?"

"Don't know."

He pressed harder with the stake breaking the skin.

"Don't know who he is. Others sent us for him. Just know they call him master."

"Why?"

"Planning something big need the slayer out of the way."

"What?"

"Don't know they didn't tell me."

"Where do I find the guys that sent you?"

"Outside of town demon bar they met me there."

Finished Spike thrust the stake in and watched the guy dust. Standing he made his way back to Buffy watching her chest rise and fall. Her eyes were closed head resting against the stone behind her.

Hearing his return she opened her eyes slowly. She was glad that the dizziness had passed and the pain was now becoming a dull ache. Glancing at him she held out her hand to him. He took it and she pulled him down to her. He kneeled close to her side facing her, her hand clasped tightly in his.

She took a deep breath. It came easier the muscles not pulling on the wound as strongly as before. Better. She could talk a little more comfortably now.

"Find anything out?" she asked lightly.

He shook his head. "Not important."

"It is."

"No your the only bloody important thing going on here!" he yelled he didn't mean to but he couldn't control it. His emotions were raging inside him.

"I'm alright Spike."

"How can you say that? You've lost a lot of blood and that ax had to have hit something vital! You can't bloody be alright!"

She touched his face with her fingers.

Her warm touch felt calming to him. He could feel a wave of comfort wash over his form quelling the panic inside.

She moved her hands away and unbuttoned the lower half of the blouse she was wearing showing him the wound on her body. It was almost totally closed now crusted with blood stretching all the way across the front of her. Only one corner was slowly weeping blood.

He stared. He'd watched the ax bury itself deep inside her and knew that this wasn't what he should have been seeing so soon after. Confusion clouded his eyes.

"How?"

She sighed. "Something I found out the hard way. About four months ago I was in Canada fighting with a demon, Giles told me it was a Kronith demon. It was strong and maybe I was a little distracted anyway it got the better of me. Beat the hell out of me worse than anything before it. Bones I didn't even know I had were broken internal bleeding tearing you name it this guy managed to do. Some guy had stumbled over me and took me to the hospital. I overheard the doctors and they were shocked that I had made it to the emergency room alive. They were positive I was gonna die." She shuddered at the memory. "They hadn't even had time to get me to surgery something about some test. Anyway they hooked me to all those machines beeping and such, and before I knew it a huge group was in the room staring at the monitors. I managed to ask the nearest one what they were staring at. He told me all signs showed the bleeding had stopped on its own. They rushed me to take new x-rays and a cat scan everything they had diagnosed as life threatening was gone."

He stared at her not knowing where she was going.

"There were a few times before when I thought something might be different. A couple of fights where looking back I shouldn't have maybe recovered from. The first fight with the Turok Han I know you weren't there but really bad. Then there was the fight in the hellmouth. Had a sword shoved right through me and I managed to get up and keep fighting. I didn't have a second thought about it until I ended up in that hospital in Canada." She shifted again this time starting to feel really gross from the blood drying on her clothing. "I was able to check out the next day. Bones took a little longer to heal but nowhere as long as it used to take for me. At first I just thought the Slayer healing was working a little faster. Maybe I was just extremely lucky and the doctors were wrong." She shrugged her shoulders.

"But you don't believe that now?"

She smiled gently at him. "The more I thought about it the more confused I was. So I started doing my own research. The others didn't know what happened with the hospital and I felt better not telling them. When we were in Rome I ran into the Immortal and out of curiosity I struck up a conversation with him."

Spike flinched at the name.

"He and I just talked. But the guy has connections and I needed answers. After a while I explained everything about my past to him and he did his own research."

"Buffy you know the guy is only interested in one thing."

"He told me. More than once in fact. I wasn't interested and I made that more than clear to him." She smirked at him. "In fact he even told me he knew you and Angelus from way back." Spike groaned. She let a little laugh out. "I know all about it all right. But that's beside the point. After he did his research he told me some really interesting and depressing stuff. Sometimes wish I didn't know."

"What did he tell you luv?"

"You know that when I died, the first time with the Master, well I broke the Slayer line. That's why Kendra was called and then Faith when she died. That's why when I died again no one was called. When I came back and was still a Slayer one of two, it made things go really wonky. That was why the First was able to attack the way he had. It was the weakness in the protections the supposed powers had set up to control it. Boy if Willow found that out.... Talk about guilt." She shuddered again. "The last piece of the puzzle was when Willow used the scythe to make all the potentials into Slayers. Instead of drawing on just the power in the scythe it drew from me as well since I was the one to claim it. Should have known that things were going to go fishy. The woman, the one that was supposed to be the protectors of the slayers? Well before Caleb killed her she told me I was the hellmouths last guardian. When you managed to suck Sunnydale into that crater with you I thought she had been right I was its last guardian cause now it’s closed no need to guard it anymore." She chuckled wryly. "Didn't know she meant plural."

"I don't understand pet. What does this have to do with...?” he gestured towards her stomach.

"Getting to that. See in order for me to be the last guardian of all the hellmouths, and there are a few we've found out..." she trailed off.

Spike stood up suddenly frightening realization striking right through him. Oh no she couldn't mean what he was thinking. It wasn't possible. But it made perfect sense if what she had found out had any truth to it.

"Do the others know?"

"No and I don't intend to tell them right now. I'm still getting used to it myself." She looked up at his shaking form. "Do you understand?" She asked the question gently not wanting to push him.

He took a deep breath and nodded slowly.

"You're immortal."
chapter 14 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hi Thanks again for the reviews!
The words hung heavy in the air between them. She watched him quietly knowing how big a shock it was. She hadn't wanted to tell him like this and she knew it was unfair for him to find out this way. But in another way she was relieved. It was out there in the open and there were no more secrets between them.

Spike struggled with the word in his head. Immortal. Not mortal any longer. He couldn't seem to grasp the concept. Like the idea was floating around the edge of his mind just out of reach.

"You're sure about this?"

"It's been tested. Let's leave it at that." She gestured for him to sit back down. "I had some dark times after that in Rome. It was part of the reason I moved back to California. The thought of living forever....” she closed her eyes "I still can't... " She looked at him again. "I'll just say I didn't take the news to well. I was able to pretend for awhile that none of it mattered that it didn't change anything." She gazed at him sadly.

"But it changes everything doesn't it pet?" He raised a hand to stroke her hair.

"Yeah in the not so good way mostly. It was part of the reason I hadn't talked to anyone the last two months. Being in that alley made me realize that I'm going to watch everyone around me grow old and die. And I'll still be here. Alone slaying things that come out of this hellmouth or another."

"You're not alone Buffy." He said it quietly. "I'm not going anywhere remember?"

She gave him a timid smile. "No not if you can help it I know. But forever is a long time."

He let the thought float around in his mind for a moment. Forever. With his Slayer. Who loved him. It couldn't even be conceived of in this lifetime. But it didn't need to be they had as many lifetimes as they needed.

She watched him mull this new twist in their lives around in his mind. It was a lot to take in she knew. Boy did she know but they had spent a lot of time in this cemetery with her blood scenting the air. They were tempting fate staying here while she was covered in her own blood. And she desperately wanted to get out of the now dried and matted clothing she was wearing.

"Spike I think we better get going." She maneuvered her legs underneath her and started to get to her feet. Once there she wavered a bit still a little weak from loss of blood. Spikes arm was around her in an instant steadying her. "We better get back to the others and tell them what you know."

"Um pet do you think that's wise right now?" He gestured from her knees to her chest.

"I know but everything is back at Faith's including a shower." She looked him over eyeing him carefully. "Besides I think I have an idea."

*********

They had spent more time at the cemetery than they had anticipated. When they finally did walk in the front door, Buffy wrapped up in his duster, it was already three in the morning. Luckily it seemed the gang had called it a night and no one was in the living room.

Locking the door behind them she moved further into the house.

"I'm just going to go get cleaned up 'cause you know ewww." She moved quietly through the house to the spare room Spike had used earlier.

Spike sat himself on the couch with a flop. They hadn't spoken in the car on the way over. Mostly that was his fault because for once in his unlife he was totally speechless.

He wondered, and not for the first time since he had met her not so long ago, how she had dealt with this alone for as long as she had. How she could be so calm and matter of fact about the whole thing. True she had a few months to adjust to the idea but what were a few months when you were faced with the end of time. Maybe she was still in denial. After all denial was something Buffy excelled at. It was the best weapon in her arsenal as far as he was concerned. Or maybe the dark times she alluded to in Rome were very dark indeed and something that pushed her into this blank acceptance.

Still he wasn't sure he was accepting it at all. Well if anger is the first stage of acceptance he was on his way he felt it growing deep in his belly burning him on the inside. How could the Powers allow this to happen? The woman had been through enough already. Yet here she was now shackled to a destiny that would never end. Angel's words came back to him, that she couldn't even die to get away from it. He remembered how she had talked of heaven when she had come back and how the thought that someday she would return had helped her finally start to heal. Now she was denied even that. There would never be any peace for her. She would fight to save a world that didn't care, that was harsh and cold. It would grow and change, as would those closest to her, and she would stay the same.

He ran a cold hand over his tired face. Maybe he should just get some sleep. It was still early for him but with all the excitement from the last couple of days he felt like he could sleep for a week. As he stood to collect his stuff from the downstairs room there was a heavy pounding on the door.

Curious he walked closer to it and looked out the peephole. To his surprise it was an agitated Watcher using his fist to beat on the door making it shake in its frame. He unbolted the door and pulled it open. Without a word he had pushed past him barging into the room Xander following close behind. Spike watched the men take in their surroundings.

"Where's Buffy?" Giles demanded as he whirled back at him. "And Willow?"

"Evenin' Ripper. She's in the shower. Figure Red's sleepin' upstairs." He gave a hard glance to him. "What’s goin' on?"

"Xander go up and wake her get her down here." The younger man began to climb the stairs.

"You may want to let Buffy know we are here. It's a matter of utmost importance."

"It's always of the utmost importance. Don't want to rush her mate had a rough night."

"Well I think it's going to get a bit rougher." Giles pulled off his glasses and began to clean them. "Go tell her to hurry." The words were clipped and cold.

Shrugging Spike walked down the hallway and knocked on the bathroom door. He heard a muffled response.

"Pet your watchers back with the whelp. Said you need to hurry." He thought he heard an okay over the noise of the running water. Standing there for a second he heard her turn the water off.

Satisfied he walked out into the kitchen and opened the fridge looking quickly he pulled out a bag of blood and found a yogurt. Opening the cabinets he found a mug and dumped the blood into it. Setting the mug in the microwave he dug in the drawers until he found a spoon. As the microwave beeped he pulled the mug out and carried everything back into the living room.

Willow had made it down during his short absence. She didn't look too happy at having been awakened at Xander's insistence. She was sitting on the couch her legs tucked underneath her a blanket thrown over her lap.

Giles was sitting in the armchair fingers pinching the bridge of his nose. Xander was sitting in the opposite chair being uncharacteristically quiet his hands fidgeting a little in his lap.

Spike took a seat on the opposite end of the couch placing his mug and the yogurt on the table. As he settled into the couch
He could see Buffy headed back down the hall her hair wrapped in a towel on her head. She had dressed herself in an old pair of sweats and a tee shirt. The others watched her walk into the room.

"So what’s the what Giles." She asked the older man causally.

"Buffy I think you may want to be seated for this." She could hear the strain in his voice. Crap this was going to be bad she knew it.

She made her way to the couch and began to sit between Spike and Willow. The movement strained against the now closed wound on her stomach making her breath catch against the sudden pain. No one seemed to notice her discomfort except for Spike who reached out and placed his hand on her knee. Grateful for the small comfort she gave him a slight smile. In response his hand left her knee and grabbed the yogurt that was sitting in front of him. With the same slight smile he handed it to her.

Buffy was a little surprised at his thoughtfulness and let her fingers brush against his as he handed her the food.

"Thank you." She pried the top off immediately and began to eat. "So sitting now."

"Quite. I received a few frantic phone calls from Andrew and some of the others on the Council. It appears that there is some kind of massive attack being carried out."

"Okay so we attack back what’s the big?"

"Not that simple Buff." Xander's tone was hushed and tentative.

"Xander is correct Buffy. The problem is much bigger than we anticipated."

"Isn't it always?" she asked sardonically.

"We aren't sure how it is possible but we can estimate that there have been several attacks on other slayers this evening."

"What kind of attacks and how many?"

"Mostly well thought out ambushes carried out by large groups of vamps and maybe some demons. As for how many we still aren't sure. I can only tell you about the ones that we do know about. The Council is on alert now trying to contact as many as we can." He stopped taking off his glasses and rubbing his forehead. "There have been a few casualties."

Buffy felt her stomach tighten. "How many?"

"Right now we know of at least one hundred and twenty."

"Oh Goddess."

"How many are there?" Spike asked his curiosity getting the better of him. No one had spoken about the other slayers that had been created and he was genuinely curious to know now.

"From the records we could find and the few surviving members of the Council that we talked to there was originally about three hundred and fifty potentials. After our dealings with the First we could account for only two hundred and ten slayers. That was including many that were too young and the others that were too old to begin training. We also have a few that for some reason could not perform the duties such as the young lady we retrieved from Los Angeles."

"If you lost one hundred and twenty tonight...."

"Yes the attacks have been aimed at anyone who is a slayer regardless of status. From that number only thirty were trained and performing duties."

"Tell me how to stop it Giles." Her voice was demanding.

"That is the problem Buffy. The attacks are not random there is evidence to suggest each one was premeditated but for that to happen on such a global scale... " He shook his head sadly. "I am afraid this is something that is beyond our abilities to deal with."

"So what are we going to do then?" Willow queried.

"We keep the others safe."

"And how do you think we're going to do that? I mean whole world kind of thing you can't be everywhere at once."

"I kind of know that Xan, we need to get everyone to a safe house. Give them safety in numbers. Giles could we set the ones in Europe and Asia in your place in England and with the Immortal in Rome?"

"Yes I suppose that would work would the Immortal be willing to do this?"

"I think he would I just need to call him." She noticed a pained expression on Spikes face. Damn she was going to have to fix that but not now there was still stuff to do. "For the ones on this side of the planet maybe we could call in a favor to Angel and have them go to him? And the rest could gather here we would need the coven to send the word out to everyone. But we have to make sure the inactive slayers come too."

"Why Dead Boy and the Immortal Buff?"

"Cause we need extra muscle. The Immortals got enough minions around that they wouldn't be able to get through to them. Angel will protect them and the ones in England are the largest concentration of trained slayers and their watchers. You know how to reach him don't you Spike?"

He just nodded at her the muscle in his jaw twitching ever so slightly.

"And what of Faith?" Giles' voice sounded uncertain.

"I know I don't like ruining her honeymoon anymore than you do Giles. We'll call her in the morning and let her know the sitch. Let them have at least this one night." She thought quietly to herself. "Giles did you know Faiths' patrolling habits?"

"Just what she told me in passing Buffy we didn't speak of it much." He glanced at her uneasily. "Why do you ask?"

"I have a feeling I may be included on that little list of attacks. We met with a large group of vamps patrolling. I've never seen that many hunt together before."

"Don't usually love. We tend to be a bit more solitary in that regard. They weren't the usual crowd more like hired hands."

"What did he tell you?"

"Said some other guys hired him from a demon bar just outside of the city to off the slayer for their master."

"Master as in Vampire?" She asked her voice hitched a bit and she flinched at the instinctual fear the name brought to her.

"Don't rightly know pet. Could just be a name or they could be some kind of servants. No way to tell just yet."

Buffy glanced around the room the strain in all of their faces. She wondered when they had all become so hard to all of this. She tried to remember a time when they were all so young where this horror would have brought shouting and shaking of fists at the inaction they were feeling. Now there was just a quiet gritty acceptance.

"We should start making some phone calls I think then we need to try to get some sleep."

********

He was laughing. It was a laugh of joy and triumph and it would chill anyone to the bone. He was succeeding and he knew it. Soon all the slayers in the world would be gone and half of his goal achieved. The response he was receiving on the monitor of this computer was elating. They never knew what hit them. It was such a simple matter they were after all just girls with a little more strength than the average human. He could deal with little girls.

A fledgling carefully made his way to his elbow standing as quietly as possible.

"Report."

"We have dispatched one hundred and twenty-seven master."

"Very good out of one hundred and thirty attacks not bad." He nodded to himself. "What about the three that got away."

"Two were severely wounded I was assured that they would not be living much longer."

"And the last?"

"The group in Cleveland never returned."

"Very interesting. Well I suppose I should know better than just send a few vamps to that one. A little too much experience. We'll have to think of something special for her." He thought for a moment. "And did you find the one I asked for?"

"We found where she had been living master but she was not there."

"I expect that to be remedied by this evening." He glared at the vamp. "I want you to notify me as soon as she is located."

"Yes master."
chapter 15 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thanks again for the reviews. I can't tell you all how much it all means to me. I may step up my postings this weekend so it will be a little easier to catch up. I'm going away starting the 18th and I don't want to leave when I have the material completed already so I'll make sure it's available to you. thanks again to everyone for their kind words and support.
Even with three cell phones and the phone in Faith's house it seemed to take forever for all the arrangements to be made. The Coven had begun work immediately giving each of the slayers a message to get to the safe houses. And Buffy had been right all though reluctant the Immortal had agreed with her and opened his sanctuary to the hunted girls. She had watched Spike gesture wildly as he talked heatedly to Angel. He had wanted to make the call himself even when she had insisted. She knew he was still reluctant to let her and her ex talk freely and she had given in with only a halfhearted attempt to reason with him. There would be time for her to make him understand that the other souled vamp was no longer in her life in a meaningful way.

Buffy glanced back at the couch seeing that this time Willow hadn't even made it back up the stairs before falling asleep. She covered her with the blanket. Xander had his chin on his hand his eyes slowly blinking trying to hold off sleep. Even Giles was slouched in his chair his eyes staring off to a point in the distance. She gently tapped him on the shoulder. He turned his head to look at her with great difficulty.

"Giles there's nothing else we can do for now. You need to get some sleep."

"You're right of course. " He started to stand grimacing from sitting in the chair for so long. "Xander are you coming?"

"Hmmmphhh."

"Not one of your more coherent thoughts." Giles said wryly.

"Ha ha funny." He managed to mumble as he struggled to get his eyes to focus.

"We'll be back in a couple of hours. Please try to get some rest Buffy."

"I will."

Both men made there way to the door. As they left she closed it softly behind them.

She could hear Spike finish his conversation and hang up the phone. Without a word she walked over to one of the lamps in the living room and clicked the light off. She then started down the hall and entered the spare room. Suddenly she felt so tired. The kind of tired that even sleep couldn't rid her of. She was once again reminded that this was one of many nights in her now long life. How was she going to face this night after night after night? Letting the nights turn into months and into years and then into centuries. There was a tightness in her chest lodged somewhere near her heart. For once it was all too much for her in the silence of this room. She thumped onto the bed burying her head into a pillow her ragged breathing aching in her lungs. She wrapped her hands in the sheets clinging to them for dear life.

Spike had watched her walk into the bedroom as he fumed from the talk he had with his grand sire. The damn poofter was still busy brooding. Just like he had left him three days ago. How the hell did he ever get anything done with all the self-pity he was buried in? It wasn't like he didn't understand the pain and guilt Angel felt over the past. He understood all too well but he also knew that he had to come to terms with it move on and accept it. If he didn't he wasn't living or unliving. Just existing and that wasn't enough. It had taken some yelling and quite a few names were called before he finally got through to the other vamp. He finally agreed to use the hotel as a safe haven to the others and a promise that he would keep them safe. Now with that phone call out of the way he could finally try and get some sleep.

He felt the change in her mood before he managed to walk into the room. He opened the door slowly just enough so he could slip into the room. His heart clenched as he saw her form on the bed. She looked so tiny and frail as she lay there her uneven breathing disturbing the quiet of the dark room. He could feel her fear as it floated in the air around him.

"Buffy?" He had walked to the bed his hands reaching out to her even though she hadn't even looked up.

She had heard her name but the voice sounded far away now. The gasps that tore at her throat echoed in her head. Her whole being trembled under the weight of the events of the night. Even the slayer part of her had receded leaving only a small scared woman behind.

He brought his arms around her holding her close to him. Her body was tense and trembling. She hadn't moved as he slid her across the bed bringing her to his body.

"Buffy luv what is it?"

Her ears heard the words this time all though she was past the point of understanding them. She just latched onto the strong arms that held her now and buried her head into his chest her own arms wrapping themselves in a death grip around him. Her heart was pounding in her chest and she kept her eyes tightly shut against the world.

Spike was torn he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do. He didn't know if she just wanted him to comfort her or if he needed to reach out to her in another way. She had seemed fine only a moment ago and it was apparent that she was far from fine now. He drew her tighter to him his hands running up and down her back murmuring words of comfort to her. Spike was unsure how long he held her like this as he waited for her shaking to stop. Soon her breathing became even and sure and he could hear her heartbeat slow and steady telling him that she had drifted off to sleep. Not wanting to wake her he settled into the bed and closed his eyes.

*********

Buffy was confused at the hardness of the pillow underneath her. She felt comfortable enough but for some reason things weren't quite right. Slowly she opened her eyes blinking the sleepiness away. Forcing her vision to focus she looked around the room. It was then that she felt the arms holding her tightly and the feel of strong muscles as her head rested against Spike's chest. She raised her head to look at him. Her green eyes fell into the depths of his blue ones. The memories of the night before came rushing back.

"Buffy are you alright love?" Concern laced through his voice.

Spike was still unsure of what to expect once she awoke. He had spent a restless night next to her listening to her breathing. The time had passed slowly and he had spent it letting all the thoughts he had tried to keep out drift in and out of his tired mind. They came unbidden and refused to be pushed to the side. He had thought of the past and what the present meant. Then the very real and scary prospects for the future had demanded his attention. The memories of the past had haunted him before of course. The year before the battle in Sunnydale was proof of that. Each was revisited time and time again. Nameless victims and recent failures. But to him only two scenes ever meant anything to him. Watching Buffy jump from that platform because he hadn't been able to help Dawn and the other time the one they never talked about. He still refused to let the memory see the light of day. Just like him it needed to be buried and kept in the shadows. It was kept in the dark recesses of his mind only brought out in the night to haunt him over and over. It was the proof that he didn't deserve what was happening now. Showing him that no matter what he did he didn't deserve what the future could be.

Now however he was afraid of what was happening to her. Last night had been the most terrifying experience of his undead life. The silent fear he felt pouring out of every bit of her body frightened him. The intensity of it was something he had only seen from her once and he thought that he would never see it again. The night she had come back crawling out of her grave.

She gulped reflexively how did she answer such a question. His witness to last night would definitely rule out fine as an answer. She tried to clear her troubled mind. It had been a long time since she had had such an episode.

"I'm better this morning." her voice was quiet but determined.

"Would you like to talk about it pet?" He wasn't going to approach this the way he had before. The pain in her life would not and could not come from him. He would not reinforce her self-destruction ever again.

"Yes." She rolled over so that she was on her back. He kept an arm around her waist his head raised looking at her.

He waited patiently for her to begin. Knowing that he shouldn't push just glad that she was going to be willing to talk to him about what was going on.

"This isn't the first time that's happened. Just a little overloaded I think." Hell a lot of overloaded when she thought about it.

"Care to explain that?"

"It's happened a few times since I found out about.... well about my new.... about being immortal." she winced at the word. "There was just so much the last two days. Finding out you were alive, the demon attack, talking to Giles and Xander and Willow, Faiths wedding, the attack last night and then hearing about how many we lost last night." she closed her eyes feeling the tears pricking behind them. "I guess it was just a little too much."

"It would be too much for anyone pet." He stroked her arm reassuringly. "How are you right now?"

"Slowly making progess to okay. I just needed a little time and sleep I guess." She gave him a warm smile. "Thank you."

He tilted his head at her. "For what?"

"For just being here last night."

"Least I could do Buffy,” he thought for a moment suddenly remembering. "How about that wound of yours?'

"That. I know its healed now." She said it as she raised her shirt to show him her middle.

He looked and saw the faint pink line that ran horizontally across her stomach just above her belly button. The tissue was still healing but it was closed. Awed he traced the line with his finger.

She felt the rough skin of his fingertip slide along the extremely sensitive healing skin. The sensation made her gasp in surprise flooding her with warmth. She watched as his blue eyes darkened while they followed the path his finger was making.
Impulsively she reached up and grabbed his head pulling him down to her lips. She felt his surprise at the contact. Her lips covered his, gentle searching for his response. Startled he groaned. It was all the response she needed and ran her tongue over his lips. He parted them for her and she slipped inside his mouth meeting his tongue and dueling with it.

The surprise he felt as Buffy kissed him let him lose control. He felt himself sink into it the kiss all other thoughts pushed to the back of his mind. Her hands were now running up and down his back encouraging him to move closer. He felt his own hands start to respond as they traveled up over her shirt cupping her breasts. She arched her back in response to his touch. He heard her moan deep in her throat the sound penetrating the haze in his mind. The little voice that had been pushed to that darkened corner started protesting loudly. He had promised that he wasn't going to do this. There was no way he was going to let them settle into old dangerous patterns.

Reluctantly he tore his lips away from hers and stood up.

Buffy blinked in surprise. This was not a reaction she was familiar with. She watched him as he ran a hand through his hair and heard him take a deep breath.

"Spike?"

"Give us a minute pet."

She stared at him and saw the look of sadness in his eyes. Buffy knew of course that vampires didn't age that they remained forever young but that haunted look on his face made him seem older. She considered for a minute why he would have that look now. Running the events of the last two days over in her mind she couldn't find anything that could give her an answer. When that didn't help she let the gates that she kept over the past swing open in her mind. For her the past was over and done with. What had happened between them had been of equal blame. But she also knew that he wouldn't see things that way. She had made the peace with herself over the events of that first year she had been brought back. Just as she knew he couldn't yet make peace with it himself. Inwardly she smiled at herself for being percepto girl. First time for everything she supposed.

"Spike want to talk?" she patted the bed next to her.

He stared back at her head cocked to the side one eyebrow raised in surprise. In her eyes he saw the openness and care that he heard in her voice. He didn't know if he could do this. The past was something he just wanted to stay buried but he didn't want a repeat performance. That didn't mean they needed to talk about it, it just meant that he needed to not do what had been done before.

"Not really."

She tisked at him. "Come on. Talking is so much of the good."

"Buffy-"

"Nope were gonna have a nice little chat." She sat up and put her hands on her hips. "I'm not taking no for an answer." she used her best slayer voice.

He just continued to stare dumbfounded by her tone. They had never been like this. She had never really wanted to hear what his thoughts were on anything. Had never pushed him into revealing anything except for once but she had closed herself off from that conversation then too.

She read the confusion in his eyes. Of course it wasn't that hard to see. They were going into unfamiliar territory but she would be damned if they let themselves build the walls back up between them.

"Okay I'll start then. So why the pulling away?"

"I really don't want to do this." She could hear his tone changing. The open acceptance they had started with as they woke up was fading and she could almost hear the doors swinging closed on his emotions.

"Got that but really not seeing so much of a choice here.” She waved her hand in the air gesturing towards him. "So maybe I'll tell you what I think and you tell me how close I am."

" 'S not a game pet." the endearment was clipped and short. She knew she was pushing now. Thinking carefully she decided it needed to be done. It was time to drag the very unpretty past out and let it evaporate in the sun.

"Not saying it is. Spike there are things we need to talk about. I told you that I don't want to have any regrets. Not just about the future but about the past too."

"The past is over."

"See thinking like that so not helping."

"It's over and done with. We can't change anything about it."

"See that's where you're wrong. If we don't do this it will be there underlying anything we do. We can't begin to build a future when we can't move forward from the past." If possible his eyebrow went higher. "Look Spike I dealt with my past I know in my heart that I've made peace with it. I wouldn't be here now if I hadn't." She heard him snort. "You want to do this the hard way don't you?"

"I don't want to do this at all."

"I got that memo. This isn't about what we want or don't want. Now let me tell you something. I love you. I don't know if you still have a hard time believing it but I do. And I am never going to let that go. So if it means I have to get you angry to open up to me I'm willing to live with that. But I will not let you close me out."

"Me. Close you out. Are you daft?"

"Yeah I know. But that was then and this is so now. So are you gonna talk or what."

"I told you-"

"And I told you. Fine we'll do this the hard way. I think you thought we were making a mistake like we did when I came back. Easy to see why me all clingy and needy last night. I get that. But that's so not what is going on here now."

"And what is going on here?"

"I'm thinking that should be obvious." She smiled. "You know your still a dope."

"I'm a dope,” he echoed as he sank onto the bed sitting facing away from her.

"Yes. Very much so. You really think I'm ever going to go back to the way I was using the two of us the way I did then?"

"I don't know what to think Buffy." And he didn't.

"Let me tell you what I think then. I love you. Yes I used you then and I hated myself for it. I didn't hate you. I hurt you in anyway that I could so I didn't have to think about myself. I used the feelings I had against myself to lash out at you. And in the end I think it ended up hurting the both of us. But I don't feel that way now."

"So why is this different."

"A dope and a bonehead." She sighed. "It's different because we're different. We've both been through too much to go back to the way things were then. I know exactly what I'm doing here with you now. If you don't then you need to tell me now."

"I don't know." his head was bowed the words careful but quiet.

"Can you tell me why?"

"I don't even know why I'm here now. Let alone here with you."

"I'm not sure why they sent you back either. But I know why your here with me. Cause I want you to be. The only reason you wouldn't be here is if you didn't want to be here." She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Do you not want to be here?" she let her voice drop with the question let the uncertainty in it fill the air around them.

He turned to face her then his blue eyes conflicted.

"I want to be here you know that." He dropped his head again. "But I don't deserve to be here."

This time she snorted in disgust.

"Bullshit."

He brought his head up quickly at the word.

"You deserve more than this. How could you even begin to think that?"

"Buffy what I've done to you the way I've hurt you. I don't deserve anything but a long slow torment in hell and they pulled me back from there."

"So you want to have a pity party? We hurt each other Spike. In fact I did more than my fair share of hurting you. I pushed you into hurting me. I know that now. No it doesn't make what happened right and no I don't think I deserved it. But you weren't the only one in that room. I goaded you on and in fact I was surprised that you didn't just hit me. You still were trying to show me you loved me. You just went to far."

"How could you even think that?"

"Because it's true and I let myself see the truth." She placed a hand over his. "This isn't something I just figured out you know. I dealt with this right after you left. Well after the thing with Willow. But I had that whole summer to think and to deal."

"You never said."

"No and I suppose the old me would have just let it stay quiet. But that's not me anymore just like you aren't the same person that was there. I saw the change in you Spike. I was there remember?"

"You saw what you wanted to. It's still me Buffy." He rubbed his eyes. "I'm still capable of making the same mistakes the same wrong calls."

"Yes but so is everyone else. That doesn't make you a monster. It makes you a man."

"But I am a monster and I'll always be one." he put on his game face to make his point.

She touched his cheek. "No you control the monster now. I know how much damage I inflicted. Please don't tell me I didn't. All of us spent years telling you that you couldn't feel that you were an evil soulless thing. We were wrong."

"No you weren't." he said as his human features slid into place.

She slammed her hand into the mattress. "Yes we were! We're all alive because of you. Things you did for us before you got your soul. The person inside of you has always been stronger than the demon." She took a deep breath. "Do you know why we always said those things? It's because if you could be like this without a soul, without being human what the hell was wrong with us? It was frightening to us. It scared the shit out of me. That year made me hate myself because I still had a soul and I did those things to you. So what kind of monster did that make me?"

"What the bloody hell are you talking about?" He yelled. "You were hurting and you didn't know how to deal with it."

"And so were you. So I'll ask you again. Do you want to be here?"

He looked at her. She wasn't fighting fair. She was using all of his words and twisting them. Why was she being like this? Why would she want for him to confront this?

"Buffy-"

"Dammit Spike. What is it going to take?" she paused for a second thinking. "I forgive you." she blurted it out not taking the time to adjust to the words.

"Huh?"

"I forgive you Spike. For everything that happened before. The pain the hurt and yes even for trying to rape me. I forgive you."

"Don't you can't-"

"Can't what forgive you for what happened to me. Well I do. I'm not going to take part in your self-torment. I love you and I forgive you."

Tears were streaming down his face now.

"Don't do this love."

"I already have. I won't let this eat away at you any longer. Not because of me. You have to come to terms with it on your own." She pulled him into her arms. "I love you." she held him tighter running her hands over his back in a soothing way.
chapter 16 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Sorry I know I didn't post yesterday but I got home late. So here is a new chappie. Thanks again for the reviews and for continuing to read.
Buffy made her way into the kitchen looking for something to eat. She felt better now than she had in the last few months. It was more than the fact that she had come to be with friends again and it was in spite of the fact that there was something out there hunting the other slayers. She was finally making peace with everything in her life. It was giving her the first real chance to move forward and hope for the future no matter how long it would be.

She had left Spike after he had finally drifted off to sleep. The emotional toll on both of them had been heavy. Maybe if they had only been open enough to tackle this stuff last year things would have been so different. But there was no point in feeling that way now. She just hoped that he had taken to heart what she had told him. It was important that he had the same chance to heal that she had had.

The sun had been up for awhile now and she expected Giles to be arriving at any time. Reaching into the fridge to pull out some milk for her cereal she heard footsteps behind her.

"Morning Willow." it sounded odd to her how cheerful her voice was. It reminded her how long it had been since that was a genuine feeling.

"Hey Buffy." the red head looked her up and down critically. "So you seem happy. Any special reasons for the sudden happiness."

"And what are you implying Will?"

"Me nothing not so much with the implying." she stopped and smiled. "More with the asking I think. Does it have something to do with a bleached vamp who just happened to stay in the same room with you last night?"

"Yes but so not in that way your thinking."

"So you're telling me there were no smoochies."

"No I'm telling you that-" she stopped there for a second. "That's cheating."

"What?" she asked innocently.

Buffy giggled. "Yes there were some smoochies. But mostly we just talked. Progress is being made."

"I'm glad Buffy. I like seeing you happy."

"Me too."

*********

Even though she knew that the phone call had been a necessity it wasn't anything she had wanted to do. She had tried to put it off but eventually there was nothing else she could do. Instantly she had cringed at her timing. The things she had heard on the other end made her blush. And after much cursing and the sound of things breaking she got Faith to promise to return to the house immediately.

Giles and Xander had arrived not to long after she had her breakfast. The bright afternoon sun shone outside although it was blocked from her view in the living room the heavy curtains shut tight against the window. No point in taking a chance that Spike would be up and want to come out into the room with them.

There had only been two more phone calls from the council and neither had filled her with confidence. The first had confirmed the original death count. She had grimaced at the news. The second had told them that Slayers were starting to arrive at each of the other safe houses.

For the next few hours the four of them had spent the time pouring through stacks of books researching anything that would give them a clue as to what was going on. And they found out zilch. Nothing was helping. So now Buffy was pacing in the living room trying to figure out what they were going to do next. She knew that she needed to go to the demon bar and try to find the creeps that had hired those vamps. Unfortunately there were still hours of daylight left and she wanted Spike to be able to go with her. If only because she already knew these guys wanted her dead. It would only make sense to have him as backup. Fed up she threw her hands into the air.

"I'm going out."

"Where will you go Buffy?" Giles had taken his glasses off and was polishing the lenses.

"I just need to do something Giles. Maybe I'll do a little shopping I need more clothes."

"Isn't that like a permanent condition?" Xander asked without looking up.

"Yeah but I only brought an overnight bag. So technically I really do need more clothes."

"Shopping is good. I could maybe use a few things." Willow smiled.

"So shopping it is then we'll be back before dark."

"Mind if I come with? Or is this a girl thing?"

"The more the merrier I think. You can drive."

"Buffy need I remind you what is going on around you?" The disapproving tone wasn't hidden to her.

"I know exactly what's going on Giles but we don't have anything to go on and we're just sitting here waiting for nightfall."

"You're right of course,” he didn't sound to convinced. But he was willing to let it go.

"We'll be back soon." And just like that the three of them were out the door.

*********

Slowly Spike blinked focusing his sleepy eyes. He felt calm and collected not something he was used to waking to. Staring at the whiteness of the ceiling he concentrated on the events of the day before. There hadn't been time for his emotions to regain their equilibrium going from fear to love to sorrow to joy swinging wildly every few minutes. Now he was in this room alone the quiet house settling around him.

His thoughts of course continued to settle around the petite blonde who always had his full attention. There had never been a time when he hadn't thought about her in one way or another for the last six years. Sure the first two years they hadn't been particularly nice thoughts but that was neither here nor there. Now he knew she loved him. He had loved her first had devoted his life to hers since the night he had that startling dream but it seemed like a distant memory. The feelings he had now burned with intensity he had never experienced before. She was amazing the gifts she had given him in the last day and a half was beyond anything a mere mortal could ask for. It was also a lot more than a simple vampire had ever expected to have. He once had told her he would be happy with any crumb she could give him. Instead this morning she had proven to him that she had given him everything.

It was such a good thing that there wasn't a happiness clause to his soul. Happiness is one thing that had been sorely missing in his long life. She was right it was time to move forward and today was going to be a beginning like no other.

Spike rose to his feet and walked out of the bedroom striding purposefully to the kitchen. He began making himself a mug of blood when he heard the footsteps behind him.

"Good you're awake. Mind if we have a word Spike?"

"Not a problem with me Ripper. Where did the others get off to?"

"Shopping as always. I have something rather serious I wanted to discuss with you however."

Spike nodded at him taking his mug out of the microwave and sitting himself at the island. As the silence continued he raised a curious eyebrow at him.

"Right. I want you to answer as truthfully as you can." As usual the older man began to clean his glasses.

"What's got your knickers so twisted mate?"

"Tell me how badly was Buffy injured last night." Direct and to the point for once Spike thought. He wondered how much he could tell the watcher. Knowing how astute the man was he didn't want anything to give him more of a clue of what was going on especially since Buffy didn't want them to know yet.

"It's Buffy." he shrugged. "She heals pretty damn fast."

"I'm quite aware of that Spike. Tell me anyway."

"What makes you think she was really injured at all?"

"I'm not blind Spike. I saw the look of pain she had. And I saw the fear that was in your eyes. Something serious occurred last night and I want to know what it was." His tone had changed it wasn't just a conversation to the man. Giles was pushing Spike wondered why.

"It's not my place."

"I think you're wrong about that." He looked into the older man's eyes and saw the weariness that was hidden in their depths.

"What do you know?" He eyed him suspiciously.

"I am not sure yet perhaps if you would answer my question I could figure that out."

"Bugger all I don't know anything." Giles eyes flared and he saw Ripper come to life.

"Now." he ground the words out.

"Fine!" He threw his hands up in defeat. "She was injured very badly and it scared the hell out of me. That enough?"

"I need the details Spike."

"She took an ax to the stomach."

Giles nodded. "And it started healing within moments correct? Loss of blood didn't seem to faze her?"

"Yeah that's right."

"Then it's as I had suspected. She really is immortal isn't she?" Spike started choking on the blood that suddenly started going down the wrong way.

"You know?" He managed to cough out.

"Yes."

"Well. I'm waitin' mate."

"I suspected as much since we had left Sunnydale." At Spike's tilted head he continued. "I had taken a look at the sword wound she had received during the battle. She was almost completely healed by the time we made it to the hospital. That wasn't a normal amount of healing time for her even as the Slayer. I of course was curious and began researching. However I was hampered by the fact that there has never been a slayer as long lived as Buffy. I could not ascertain if her better healing ability was because her powers were becoming more powerful or if something else was the cause."

"What changed?"

"I received or rather the council received a hospital bill for her from Canada."

Spike took a sharp breath he didn't need.

"Quite. I called the doctors and told them I was her father. When questioned they told me the extent of her injuries and the fact that she was released the following morning." He took his glasses back off and laid them on the surface of the island. "She should not have survived. At the time of her admittance she had lost a great deal of blood, had a ruptured spleen, a tear in her pericardium, a punctured lung, a hole in her liver, and her femoral artery had been severed. Those were just the internal life threatening injuries. I lost track of the number of broken bones they had told me."

Spike's mouth had dropped open. Yes she had told him that her injuries had been serious and he knew that to take a slayer down they would have to be. The doctors had been right she should have been dead just from the blood loss alone.

"When she wasn't forth coming about the trip I began to research in earnest realizing that no amount of slayer healing was going to repair that kind of damage in one evening."

"Good God man just give me a straight answer."

"There is a prophecy."

"There's always a bleeding prophecy." He hated prophecies.

Giles resettled his glasses on his nose and took out a sheet of paper from his coat pocket.

"It is an appendage to another prophecy it’s known as the Shanshu prophecies."

"I know of it." He snorted.

"Apparently no one had done a full translation it seems it was only picked apart for certain pieces."

"Let me guess some bloke who's a vampire with a soul saves the world from an apocalypse and gets to be a real boy again."

"Yes that is the passage most referred to." He eyed Spike with a certain gleam of amusement in his eyes. "And you are so knowledgeable in this area because?"

"Oh please I'm not deluded. They dangled that bloody thing like a carrot in front of Peaches to get him to be a Champion."

"Anyway the translation states that before the afore mentioned apocalypse the last guardian of all the hellmouths shall be chosen. The last of the Chosen Ones will become more than human guarding humanity until it ceases to exist. Not one but two Champions of her heart will join her in battle. Both ensouled and neither human they will fight side by side to defeat the evil force. Whatever that is these things are never that clear. When the battle is finished one will receive their reward and the other two will continue."

"And you think this part of the prophecy has come to pass?"

"It would seem that way. Buffy has already become immortal that is a fact that I can no longer deny. And for the two ensouled non-humans I think you and Angel more than qualify. Also there have been rumors of all types of large demon communities gathering to join forces. And with these other attacks on the Slayers I assume there is a united front although who is behind it is a mystery to me."

"But you weren't concerned about this before."

"Spike you and Angel were dead. At the time the prophecy didn't fit."

"So what does this mean exactly Ripper?"

"It means we have an apocalypse to stop. Again. But there is also something else I wanted to ask you."

"No time to be shy now mate."

"How is she emotionally I mean. Is she okay?"

Spike's eyes softened to the other man's. He couldn't deny how much Giles really did care for Buffy. Despite everything that had happened between the two men in the last few years as ugly as it was they would always have this connection.

"I don't know. In the last few hours she's gone from acceptance to sheer terror about it. I think she's still got a ways to go before she'll be okay with it."

"I suspected as much. I wish she had been able to tell me but I understand her hesitation."

"Do you really Ripper?"

"Of course. To know that she is going to live forever and we are not. I understand even if I could not fathom the pain the thought must bring to her. And I know that I would be one of the last people she would want to be around."

"Are you daft? The woman adores you."

"And I her. I only meant that as the oldest in her circle of friends...."

"You would remind her the most of what she was going to lose. I get it mate."

"There is the slight problem however of needing her to know about this prophecy."

"Yeah. She still doesn't want you to know yet."

"Perhaps if you suggested it?"

"I'll try but you know her." The knowing smile on Giles' face brought one of his own. "I have a question of my own."

"Do tell."

"Why the sudden welcome into your lives?"

"Ahh. Maybe it isn't as sudden as you think."

"No?"

"Spike. Buffy has loved you for a while now. I knew it when I returned to Sunnydale with the first of the potentials. She didn't understand it then but I saw it. I can't say this is what I had hoped for her. After all it was bad enough when she had been in love with Angel. But knowing what I do now... You're the only one who can promise to stay with her and actually have a chance to do it. It's very important to me that she is happy. You can give that to her."

"It's what I want more than anything." It was a simple confession but one he knew the other man would understand.

"Then I will have to let that be what comforts me even if you are the most infuriating creature I have ever come across."

"Thanks mate."
chapter 17 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hi again. Thanks for the reviews and please keep reading.
The others returned a half hour before the sun began to set. They were chatty and giggly and reminded Spike of the times he had observed them from afar. When they had been carefree and so young. The teenagers who had thwarted every evil scheme he could come up with were gone and here in their place were three people aged by time and experience.

They had gotten a call from the two young slayers that lived nearby telling them that they would be arriving within the next few hours. There was nothing else to do but wait for night to fall.

********

"Do you have what I asked for?"

"Yes master. The woman you seek is here in Cleveland staying at the house of the other slayer."

"Now that is interesting. And how do you know this?"

"The demon you sent to kill the slayers in this area was destroyed by her. She had been staying at a motel and relocated after the failed attack."

"So they would be together then. We shall wait until tomorrow I have the perfect thing in mind for them." He noticed that his favorite minion seemed to pause. "Something else I need to know?"

"The others say that they are not alone."

"No this one never is. We shall deal with that when the time permits. Now leave me."

"Yes master."

He bowed and made his way out of the room.

********

The bar was more of a dive than even Willy's had been. It felt like it looked dark and dirty. Buffy noticed a cockroach crawl across the top of the bar and cringed. Gross was an understatement. At least she was comfortable enough with the demon clientele. Nothing in here she didn't recognize and she had the advantage, none of them knew who she was. She was sure they could tell she was a slayer, most demons would be able to sense that, but no one knew her. It made the evening a little more exciting and gave her a small thrill.

They had gone in separately of course. Spike went in first getting a feel for the room. Watching as a few of the others gathered together near the back to talk quietly to each other. He stopped at the bar and ordered himself a whiskey. Taking his drink and moving stealthily through the crowd he made his way closer to the group of vampires. Stopping at a chair near them he sat down quietly his attuned ears straining to hear. He could make out a few words something about a certain master and slayers and the word that caught his attention, tomorrow. Something was going to happen and it was going to be done tomorrow and it involved the slayers.

Buffy watched him from beside the bar saw him concentrate on the conversations around him. She waited patiently having done this with him so many times in the past. It was comforting in a way to know that even though she had changed so much some things were timeless. She watched his brow furrow and scan the room looking for her. When he caught her gaze he nodded in the direction of the guys directly behind him. She nodded imperceptibly.

She approached them easily a slight smile on her lips.

"This seat taken?" she gestured to the chair near the vamps her voice light and flirtatious. She stared at the group, four in all sizing each one up in turn. Two were brand new fledglings maybe a week old she guessed. The other two were slightly older and one of them Buffy noticed was not reading quite right to her. It occurred to her that the odd one was just a little too sure of himself that maybe he was older than she thought. The two youngsters just stared at her. Both had a dark complexion one slightly heavy and neither looking much older than fifteen or sixteen when they were turned. The one she was not getting the weird vibe from was a skinny nerdy looking blond. Vibe boy was a different story all together. He had light brown hair and was built almost like a line backer. Mostly muscle she guessed on his huge frame. His eyes however shined with knowledge and a small shiver ran up and down her spine.

He was the one who finally answered.

"We don't need your company."

"Now that’s kind of rude don't you think? I was being all social like." She pulled a stake out of the waistband of her skirt. "I just thought maybe you guys could answer a couple of questions for me."

He snorted in disgust. "Not from you Slayer." he waved his hand at the other three and all of them stood up.

The growls could easily be heard around the bar and with the four standing over the petite blond woman there were no doubts about what had caused them.

"What is it with you guys. Can't anyone just answer the questions for once? Dare to be a little different." She sighed. "Alright but can we make this quick I have other things I could be doing."

"I just need enough time to snap your neck bitch."

"Oh yeah that's so original." She tossed her hair.

They began to stalk towards her and she reflexively took a step back trying to give herself enough room. The skinny blond was first kind of tripping over his own feet. It was kind of sad really as her stake sunk home and the dust settled around her.

The two fledglings charged together each fumbling into each other before making a grab for her. She tugged on the arm of the lighter one pulling him over her shoulder sending him crashing into the bar. She could hear a roar from that direction but ignored it as she sidestepped the other dark vampire. Reaching out with her foot she kicked him sending him in the opposite direction contacting the wall with a thud.

Spike watched as the vamp made like he was on a trapeze and flew through the air with the greatest of ease. To bad the landing was so awful. The poor fledgling slid over the top of the bar and knocked into the drinks of some other demons. They came to their feet quickly a roar sounding out from the taller of the two. Uh oh. Moving quickly Spike placed himself between the fighting group and the quickly approaching demons. Putting on his best charming smile he greeted them.

"Hey let me get you guys some fresh drinks. Damn bloody bar fights never let a bloke finish a quiet drink anymore."

The growl he got was more than enough answer.

"Well since you put it that way." He started letting his fists fly at the pissed off creatures.

Buffy still had the edge on the younger vamps and had finally managed to stake the thinner of the two after he came back from his encounter with the wall. She warily eyed the older vamp noticing that he was still just watching and not taking part in the fight. She spun to face the remaining brunette sending a punch into his face. His stumbled and ran into Spike's back.

He turned and pushed the other vamp off of him towards Buffy. In a few quick strides she had closed the gap between them and gave him a solid kick to the solar plexus. As he doubled over she shoved her stake into his chest. Turning she saw the last vamp make what looked like a quick decision and rap on the wall behind him. Buffy groaned she just knew this couldn't be good.

Where it had appeared to be a solid wall she could now see a hidden door opening. It looked like the room behind it must be rather large as judging from the group of other vampires made their way towards them. This was not looking like it was going to go in their favor.

Spike wasn't sure what noise it was that drew his attention from the two now bloodied demons but he turned and looked in the direction he thought it came from. He watched as a group of twenty vamps sauntered into the room. There weren't very good odds and he knew it. Without time for further thought his attention again returned to the angry fellows from the bar. At least Spike could tell they were tiring and the fight was going easy enough. But now wasn't the time quickly he dispatched the two demons not giving them time to react using razor sharp claws to slit their throats.

As Spike watched Buffy slowly back up to him trying to maintain some distance to this new threat. There had to be at least twenty of them filing out of the tiny doorway the vibe vamp leaning nearby against the wall. He could see that it looked pleased at its little surprise for them.

"Right let's do this then." Spike mumbled.

There was a blur of movement as both Slayer and Vampire converged on them. Even as dust started to fill the air around them they could sense that they were quickly losing ground. Still fighting hard both began to back towards the entrance to the bar.

"Well is this a private party or is anyone invited?"

A smile tugged at the corners of Buffy's mouth hearing the familiar voice.

"Let's just consider this your wedding gift."

"Well thanks B it's just what I wanted."

Pressing their new advantage the three of them began retaking the bar from the vamps. The air was clogging with dust as the numbers started to dwindle down. Ten, eight, seven and then just five. Spike and Faith fought two at once each easily moving between their respective targets. Buffy was left with a rather heavyset vamp that couldn't move very well. Not using much effort she feinted to the side letting his size carry him past her. And like that he was a big dust cloud.

She gave a slight nod of approval seeing them readily taking care of their adversaries. Confident she scanned the room again and saw the one demon that might have some answers for her. His sly confident air was now gone and he seemed to be looking for another way out. It was obvious that there wasn’t one and she could see the resignation in his face as she approached him. She walked slowly giving the appearance of a predator stalking its prey.

"Now see how messy that was? We could of had a nice little talk been all friendly like but nooo you wouldn't cooperate."

She watched him grit his teeth. "I'm not telling you anything."

Buffy sighed loud and dramatically. Placing her hands on her hips she gave him her best Slayer look. "You'll tell me what I need to know." She let a slow powerful grin spread across her lips. "Or don't talk it will make it more interesting."

Slowly they began circling each other as the sounds of the others fights filtered in the air around them. Sizing each other up determining if the other was a true threat or not. With a sudden burst of speed the vamp lashed out at her stake hand knocking it away from her and she could hear it clatter across the floor. Not a problem considering all the broken chairs that were now dispersed through out the bar. They began to trade blows in earnest now evenly landing some and blocking others. Buffy knew now that this vamp was really closer to fighting a master vampire than she had previously thought. His age confused her though. It seemed like he was still too new to justify his fighting skills and strength. She shrugged mentally. He wouldn't be the first master vamp she took down.

Lurching he got in a couple of lucky shots to her face. Buffy battled back knocking him back against the wall he had recently been leaning against. When she stepped near him he took advantage and reached for her throat. She caught the gleam of the knife blade its arc cutting through the air.

Dusting one of his two vamps Spike took a quick glance around the room. He could see Buffy fighting the vamp she had been talking to before this brawl broke out. The one he was still fighting took this moment however to come charging at the bleached blond. Ducking he let him slide across his back as he tossed him out into another poor table. He could hear it smash as the thing landed with its full weight.

Turning back to look at Buffy he saw as the vamp reached out and grabbed her throat and caught the shiny glint of steel as it was brought out from behind his back. Reacting quickly he was at her side in a flash and pushed her out of his grasp. He caught the other vamp by the wrist forcing him to drop the knife. So intent was he that he took no notice of what was going on behind him.

The force of Spike's push had sent her into a short roll across the floor. Glaring at him she jumped to her feet. She watched as his forgotten foe stalked carefully towards him her dropped stake curled in one hand. Slidding over to him quickly she took hold of the now upraised stake arm and twisted it down so it penetrated his own chest. As it exploded into dust she turned back to the lone conspirator.

Spike still had one wrist on his hand the other was wrapped around its throat. He squeezed tightly and grinned evilly when he was the pain flash in the others eyes. Relaxing his hold ever so slightly he looked deep into his eyes.

"I believe the lady wanted you to answer some questions mate." He growled low and long.

If anything the younger vamp's eyes grew wider in appreciation of the predicament he found himself in.

"I don't know anything."

Buffy snorted loudly. "Please we're blond not stupid. Now I want you to tell us who is putting you guys up to this."

"I don't know."

Spike's grip tightened again. "Straight answer right now might be your best bet."

"I don't know! There was a thing on the internet wanting everyone to band together, rid ourselves of all the slayers." Came the choked response.

"And exactly what was the plan?" Anger clearly lacing her voice.

"To get enough participants to stalk all the slayers and take them out at the same time."

"Then what?"

"Don't know we were waiting for our next contact."

"When and How?"

"Internet all done on line. They just send us a message when their ready."

Buffy nodded towards Spike and the offending demon slowly floated in tiny pieces to the floor.

She turned back to see Faith leaning against the bar watching them.

"Ready?"

"Yeah B this place is a dive even by my standards."

Together the three of them walked outside into the warm night
chapter 18 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thank you for the reviews hope you enjoy this chapter just as much. Thanks for continuing to read.
The usually chilly autumn air was missing this night. It was unseasonably warm so much so that Buffy and Faith were only dressed in short sleeved shirts. Buffy turned her eyes up at the dark sky. It was made inky black clouds covering the normally bright stars. She could hear the faint sound of thunder in the distance.

"I'm gonna head back B. Robin is wicked pissed about cutting our honeymoon short." Turning quickly the dark slayer was already moving into the night.

Buffy let her gaze fall on the man next to her. She could feel the anger she had been suppressing come bubbling up to the surface. Pissed she turned on her heel and began marching down the street.

Spike looked at her retreating form in question. What the buggering hell was that about. She seemed fine inside. Now it seemed like she was brassed about something. He started to follow her quickly.

"Hey what's up with you pet?"

"I'm angry."

"I can see that. Was more wondering why.”?

She whirled back to face him. "Don't push Spike."

"I'm just askin' a question."

"No you're pushing. Stop."

"Now who’s shuttin' who out Slayer?"

That did it. Now he wanted to throw things like that in her face? Oh she so was not going to put up with that nonsense. He didn't want to wait until she calmed down. Well that was fine with her.

"Damn stupid vampire!" She of course realized she had said that out loud a little too late. Oh well it was out there now.

"Fine you want to know why I'm pissed off? I'm angry at you goddammit."

"Me! What the bloody hell did I do now?"

"How about you almost got yourself staked again in there!" She knew she was yelling now but she couldn't find it in herself to care.

"I was tryin' to help you you stupid bint!" She found that he was yelling back and she could see the flash of amber in his eyes. It didn't surprise her they had always communicated this way. It seemed comforting in a way she knew what to expect from him in return. It was her responses that would be different now.

"Getting yourself dusted is not going to help me Spike! You were trying to stop me from getting a knife wound! Hello! Yes it might have been painful but I wasn't going to get killed here! Immortal remember?" She gave him a good long glare. "Besides do you really think I was gonna stand there and let him stab me?" And then with a little sigh let the anger recede from her body.

"I wanted-"

"I know you wanted to keep me from getting hurt." her tone was gentle now. "I understand that but you can't let your guard down like that. What if I hadn't reacted in time?" She stepped closer to him reading a slow confusion replace the anger in his eyes. "Dammit all Spike I just found you I can't lose you again." They were mere inches apart now bodies a hairsbreadth from touching.

The sky boomed with a sudden crack of thunder and light filled the sky around them. Neither of them noticed.

He looked deep into her emerald eyes seeing the love shining in them that he had only dreamed of. God he loved this woman so much. It was an all-consuming fire in his heart mind and soul. He'd only had one thought as he had pushed her away to keep her safe to protect her at all costs. But she was right he had forgotten about her new life span.

"I know this is hard to hear but I don't need you to protect me."

"Then what do you need pet?" His voice was choking with his conflicting emotions.

"I need you to stand with me. Not just to fight beside me but to care for me. Be the one person I can lean on. To love me."

"Buffy-" He couldn't control himself any longer. The words she spoke took all rational thought away freeing his mind of the pestering noise it always made.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and brought his mouth against hers roughly. She responded instantly wrapping her arms around his neck pulling him even closer.

The sky above them boomed out again the sound rolling across them like water. In response the clouds seemed to open themselves up and a hard warm rain began to fall.

He deepened the kiss letting their tongues meet together and fight tenderly in their mouths. Gradually while they became more passionate they also became gentler. Buffy finally broke the kiss looking at him as she pulled a ragged gasp of air into her lungs. Releasing his neck she spread her hands against his strong chest feeling the muscles ripple beneath her fingers. Running her hand up and back down she let her lips seek his.

He drew her closer to him letting his erection grind into her hip letting her know just what she did to him. His own hands slid up from her waist going up around her chest each one palming one of her firm breasts. He could feel the nipples hardening with his touch.

Not knowing how he managed it he seemed to have backed them into an alley off of the main street. Pinning her against a wall he let his nimble fingers begin to unbutton her shirt. He gave her a light peck on the lips as he moved to kiss along her jaw and worked his way down her smooth neck. Nuzzling slightly as he paused over her pulse point he continued to trail small kisses to her warm flesh that he had recently exposed.

This was it this was heaven she was sure of it. Being here in the rain with the man she loved in this moment. His cool lips were sending little shivers up her spine. She snaked her hands through the soft curls of his wet hair as he sucked at one pebbled nipple. Arching her back in response she moaned in pleasure. He moved from one breast to the other using his tongue to swirl around the nub. She grabbed a hold of his head and brought his lips back up to hers. Letting him feel all the emotion she contained through this meeting of their lips. She pulled at his t-shirt tugging it loose from the waistband of his tight jeans. Freed at last she let her hands travel up under it enjoying the smoothness of his skin.

Spike groaned at the fire he felt from her hands on his naked skin. She was burning him from the inside out. He reached his hand down and slid it under the hem of her skirt pushing the material out of his way. Sliding his wet fingers slowly up the inside of her thigh. He stopped at the apex of her legs letting his finger slowly brush against her womanhood. The scent of her arousal became overpowering to him and he groaned again. Rubbing back and forth lightly he could hear the gasp of pleasure as it escaped her lips.

"Oh god Buffy. So hot so wet." he was starting to babble all coherency lost as his whole universe became this one woman in front of him.

"Spike." His name was like a small prayer a desperate cry for relief.

Using his index finger he pushed the material of her thong away and plunged into her molten fire. Gently he slid it in and out of her pausing only for a second before adding a second finger. God she was so tight and wet it was driving him crazy. Then he used his thumb to stroke the swollen bundle of nerves at her center.

She could feel the growing ache starting at the pit of her stomach from his talented fingers. It spread through her like a wild fire consuming everything in its wake.

"Spike! Yes oh god yes!" She cried desperately as wave after wave of pleasure broke over her.

He let his fingers continue to work her helping her ride out the torrent of her orgasm. As her muscles seemed to relax he felt her small hands working on the buckle of his belt. Then felt as she slowly undid the top button of his jeans.

Suddenly he froze pulling his head back he looked into her eyes.

"Are you sure about this?" He voice was hesitant questioning.

Letting all the love she felt for him shine in her eyes she looked deeply into his. "Yes. I love you."

Moaning at her words he undid the rest of the buttons himself and took one of her legs wrapping it around his middle. With a slight hop she managed to repeat it with the other leg. In one sure move he sank his hard length inside of her.

"Buffy love you so much. Missed you missed touching you. Oh god luv." A continued stream of words passed though his lips of the love and devotion he felt for her.

"Yes Spike. Love you never want to be without you."

As their tempo increased movements becoming harder and faster Buffy could feel herself climbing to the edge of her release. In a moment of decision she looked into the blue eyes of the man and demon that she loved.

"Spike make me yours."

His look of shock made her heart skip a beat.

"Buffy?"

"I love you. Do it. Make me yours." She brushed her hair away from her neck in invitation.

"Pet are you sure?"

She could feel herself slipping teetering on the brink. "Please Spike now."

Roaring his game face slipped into place and his teeth sank into the softness of her golden skin.

With his first pull on her blood she felt herself fall over the edge her muscles all tensing for a moment before clamping around him. Saying his name over and over again.

The feel of her warm powerful blood sliding down his throat and the muscles tightening around his member drove him over the edge. He let his fangs slip out of her throat with a roar.

His amber eyes glittered into hers. "Mine!" He growled.

"Yours." She answered without hesitation. Bending her head quickly she bit down on his neck her blunt teeth breaking the skin and drawing blood. Pressing her lips to it she took two short pulls.

"Mine." She repeated.

"Yours forever pet." His eyes shifting from amber back to blue shined back at her full of love and adoration. Seeing the same emotions reflected back from her hazel orbs he bent his head and claimed her lips with his own.
chapter 19 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thanks cordykitten gallilee and Midnightgirl for th ereviews.
Willow sat her eyes glazing over as she stared at the computer screen, hours of searching producing nothing but eyestrain. Lazily she twirled her finger over the touch pad bringing up another hopeless link. She didn't know why she was continuing with this fruitless endeavor. Another click and yet another fantasy fiction site popped onto the screen making her sigh. There was no way they were going to find anything useful like this there was something they were missing but for the life of her she didn't know what it was.

As the hours passed since the blond duo had left the house it had become silent with only the sound of pages turning and the clicking of her key board echoing around them. No one had found anything and it was starting to grate on them. They were used to finding out about whatever they were facing quickly and being able to tackle it head on, well most of the time. There were always exceptions and they made each of them nervous. Any time it was this hard to find information was never a good sign and the amount of tension filling the little house was growing by the second.

The only break in the monotony had been when Faith and Wood had returned home. After hearing what had transpired in her absence the brunette had decided she could be useful assisting the other two who had already left. Claiming that he was tired and making short excuses her new husband had retreated to their room upstairs.

The other males were still sitting on the couch books piled near them. It hadn't helped that they were still waiting for the other slayers to arrive. Glancing up she could see the lines of worry marring Giles' brow. Glancing at Xander didn't fill her with confidence either when she saw the frown on his face. This was so bad.

The ringing of the doorbell made them all jump in surprise and Willow felt a small gasp leave her throat.

Regaining his composure Giles brushed at the wrinkles in his clothes and made his way to answer the door. He opened it slowly.

*********

"Have you finished what I have asked?"

"Yes master we have sent the message as you requested."

"Good. And our plans for tomorrow?"

"It is all in place we await your instructions."

"You have served me well. I believe there will be a special reward for you come tomorrow."

"You are too kind master." The minion bowed his head to this all-powerful being.

"Go. There is much to do before the next night fall."

Alone again the man grinned to himself. It wouldn't be long at all now. Just a few short hours and the world would be Slayer free. The thought filled him with a sort of happiness. The time was drawing near for them to over run this stupid little planet and feel the power that was rightfully theirs.

********

Faith knew that it would probably been a better idea just to head straight back to the house like she had intended to do instead of taking this small little detour. But it had been days since she had had the chance to go patrolling and the few kills she had managed to get in at the bar had only whetted her appetite for a good slay. Besides Robin would appreciate her knew found mood when she came back to their room.

The thought produced a familiar smirk on her face. Oh yeah not many things have changed for her over the last few years and yet a lot had. Who'd have thought she would be Mrs. Robin Wood happy little white hat homemaker. She chuckled to herself. It was true slayers did need something to be happy about and B was dead on once again. Best not to let her know that though, didn’t want the girls head to get all swollen like.

So lost in her thoughts Faith had let her attention wander from her surroundings which of course was not a good thing. She failed to listen to that little tingle at the base of her spine or the sound of a heavy foot crunching the gravel of the path behind her. Which meant that she didn't have the best position when she finally noticed the handful of demons that were pinning her in.

She shrugged mentally knowing that the work out she had been counting on was going to be a bit more involved than she had planned.

Not giving herself time to dwell on her knew found position she struck out first arms and legs moving fluidly with years of practice and grace. The hits came fast and brutal one right after another. Using the area around her to her benefit she swung around the nearby tree and used the tombstones as weapons. But somehow she knew it wasn't enough. There wasn't being enough damage to stop the persistent force around her and soon she began to feel the tiredness in her limbs. This was not good and she knew it. She scanned the area looking for a way for her to set up a retreat not finding many solutions. Ducking and weaving she pulled on her reserves of energy letting her legs surge forward.

Too late she felt the large hand hit the back of her head throwing her headfirst into a large piece of marble sticking up out of the ground. As her head hit with a sickening thud and the burst of white-hot pain flooded her vision all she could think was damn.

*********

They hadn't really spoken since they had left the alley and started back in the car. For some reason words didn't really seem necessary between them. The occasional longing glance and small touch of each other’s hands had brought small sighs of contentment to the both of them.

It was the most remarkable feeling to Buffy. She had never imagined herself so happy and complete. Of course part of it could have been the fact that she could now feel the emotional ties that linked the two of them together. Yeah that might have something to do with it, she could feel so much love pouring back to her through that brand new bond and knew he could feel the same. For once all the doubt they both had ever felt about the other and their own feelings had been wiped away. They were able to really see each other and know that the other was with them unconditionally. She reveled in the sheer joy clasped close to her heart and would have remained that way except for the sight that greeted their return.

There were police cruisers everywhere and to her utter shock not only was there an ambulance sitting in front but an unmistakable long dark car marked coroner.

She was out of the car before Spike could bring it to a full stop running for the front door. An arm reached out to grab her, as she was halfway up the walk.

"Miss you can't-"

But she was already free running in the front door barely aware of the fact that he was right behind her.

She took in the sight of the living room slowly processing all the information. Robin was talking to what looked like a detective on the far side of the room. Giles was near the hallway also talking to another officer. Xander and Willow were on the couch and he was holding her as tears fell against his chest.

"What happened?" She felt rather than saw Spike step inside as he slid his arm around her waist.

Giles looked up than and Buffy noticed that his normally warm blue eyes had taken on a cold hardness. She could see the recognition alter them as he looked on her and watched as they softened.

"Buffy, Spike your back."

"I'll contact you if we need anything further Mr. Giles. Please take my card and if you can think of anything please give me a call." The officer handed the card to Giles.

"Of course Officer any thing we can do to assist you."

The two cops seemed to nod to each other and left the house closing the door behind them.

"Giles?"

"We're fine Buffy. Let me make you some tea and I'll tell you what happened. Why don't you two get into some dry clothes in the meantime."

She nodded numbly and started for the guest room.

*********

Ten minutes later both she and Spike were changed each holding a warm mug. Willow's tears had finally come to a stop and Xander and Wood were over to the side talking quietly to each other.

"Tell me what happened Giles why were the police here?"

"I'm afraid that our attempt to protect the other local slayers has failed."

"How many?"

"The other two local girls and one other I did not recognize." And they listened intently as he began to explain.

********

As he opened the door the first thing he noticed was the over powering scent of blood that assaulted him. Looking out straight he didn't see anything and quickly scanned the yard in front him. He didn't see anything amiss but of course that rarely meant anything anymore. Too many years living and breathing a hellmouth made you question everything you saw. His eyes finally traveled downwards looking towards the space where a welcome mat would grace a porch if you weren't living somewhere that you didn't welcome things into your home.

The sight before him caused his gag reflex to kick into high gear and he barely managed to push the bile back down his throat. There were three of them there, clothes or what was left of their clothing was blood red their bodies lying all-akimbo on top of each other. He could, even in the darkness outside, make out that certain body parts were missing and others were mutilated. Unfortunately he could make out their faces, which had been left untouched and recognized the two local slayers Faith had trained.

He closed his eyes fighting the urge to just slam the door shut blocking out the sight. Forcing himself to look with the cool detachment given to him with his watcher training he took in the sight looking for details. The upper most girl the one least blocked from his view had her torso completely exposed the white flesh in stark contrast to the dark blood that was streaking most of it. He could make out where two of her fingers were pulled from her hands, the deep gashes that went up her arms and legs and the deep cut across her throat. And there in her white flesh written with what would have only been a sharp knife were words.

Times up Slayer.

"Dear Lord." he finally let himself look away from the sight his body sagging into the doorframe.

He felt as Xander pulled the door away from his hands and heard the horrified gasp from Willow and her hurried footsteps as she ran to the lower bathroom. He turned to look at the younger man who had pivoted away from the gruesome sight.

"Call the police."

********

She looked at him at a loss for words. This was impossible they needed to get answers and they needed to get them now. Too many have died already and she would be damned if one more person died. She was tired of this she wasn't going to sit here and wait any more. It was time to take action. She looked at Spike.

"Get a weapon we're going back out." The cold steel in her voice guaranteed that there would be no argument from anyone in the room.

"Should we come with you?" The question had come from Xander and Buffy was grateful of his quiet support.

"No I want you guys to stay here make a few phone calls and check up on the others."

"What about Faith?" Buffy turned her head in surprise to Wood.

"Didn't she meet you here?"

"She was supposed to be with you."

"She was but when we finished she said she was heading straight here."

"That's not good is it?" Willow asked.

"Dammit. Come on Spike maybe we can find her."

"I'm coming too." Buffy looked at Wood in earnest.

"Alright. Lets go."
chapter 20 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hey thanks again for the reviews!!!!

:) :) :) (: (: (:
Using Wood as their guide to all of Faith's regular haunts they searched the whole rest of the night. With each unsuccessful sweep of a cemetery or bar or dark alley Buffy's tension skyrocketed. She was having trouble concentrating. Her body felt like a coiled spring wound tighter and tighter. They needed to find her now, not later, not soon, now.

Of course it would be the last place they had come to that had been the place where the brunette woman had last been. The evidence was all there from the broken shrubbery, the muddied footprints, the abandoned stake, the broken headstone and of course the blood. It wasn't enough to have killed her Buffy knew but it would have been quite an injury for that much blood to be staining the wet ground.

It was the look on Wood's face that tore at her heart, one of total agony and genuine fear for someone he loved, and as much as she hated to admit it she understood exactly what he was feeling.

As the edges of the night sky began to lighten they all understood the need to head back to the others and regroup. Without a word the three began to head towards the car when Wood suddenly stopped and turned. Taking a few steps he reached out and picked up the fallen stake and clutched it to his chest.

********

In the total darkness that surrounded her she tried really tried to ignore the loud thumping of her head that was pulling her out of unconsciousness. Giving it a few more seconds she felt the pounding become more insistent and knew that the blessed sleep wasn't coming back. Stretching out with her other senses keeping her eyes closed she could feel the tingle at the base of her spine. Only this time it wasn't the slight message that she was used to. This was a shout her inner slayer screaming that there were way to many vamps and other nasty things in the same room with her. This wasn't going to be a good thing she could tell.

Carefully and ever so slowly she tried to open her eyes. Luckily there was little light in the area she was in and it kept her head from actually exploding from pain. As it was she had to blink several times to take the harshness out of her vision.

"Nice of you to join us." Definitely a male voice. It was coming from almost behind her and she couldn't get her head turned enough to look at him.

Her other senses began to jump on the bandwagon and she started becoming aware of the feeling of bindings on her arms and legs. They were heavy probably metal than probably chains. That didn't make her feel any better.

"Wouldn't want to miss a party." Good her voice still worked. It was a little rougher than usual but it was still strong.

"That works out well for me than considering your one of the guests of honor."

"And it's not even my birthday." She snarked.

"But we have to wait on one other guest. Until then..." He finally stepped into her field of vision and she let go a gasp of horrible recognition. There was a jolt of horrible pain to the back of her head and oblivion claimed her once more.

********

"Please tell me you guys have some ideas."

"I wish we could Buffy but for the moment we are at a loss. I'm sorry." She watched as his gaze fell to the floor. "Unfortunately I have some worse news that I need to tell you."

Somehow she had made her way to the couch and sank into it bonelessly.

"There have been more attacks I'm afraid. The number hasn't been fully...." he trailed off and looked back at her. The look of pain and anger in his eyes was so intense Buffy actually felt herself take a gasp in shock. He tore his glasses of his face and threw them across the room. "FUCK!"

He began to pace furiously long strides covering the living room from one side to the other. It was at that moment she was glad the others had all left the room.

"They knew. Knew right where to bloody hit us." His pacing seemed to intensify.

"Giles." Her voice was soft and questioning.

"There all gone Buffy they were trapped inside and they knew it. They set fire to the house in England and killed anyone they found escaping. They managed to use a bomb on the Immortal's stronghold. They knew. I don't even know how but they knew." He kicked a plant in the corner of the room sending the dirt scattering all over the floor.

In an instant she was on her feet and easily she slipped her arms around the only father she had cared to know.

As her arms tightened around him the energy he had gotten from his anger was spent and he wilted in her embrace.

"Fifty one Buffy. Fifty one lives lost that I couldn't...."

"Don't you dare try to blame yourself for any of this Giles. You've done your job. It was mine to protect them if anyone is to blame it's me."

He grasped her shoulders and looked into her eyes.

"You can't blame yourself Buffy."

"Sure I can just watch me. If I hadn't been so wrapped up in myself for the last four months maybe I would have noticed what was happening. Maybe I could have acted then."

"No."

"Um to which?"

"All of it. There is something I should have told you a while ago and now others have paid for my lack of foresight. Bring the others in here."

She cocked an eyebrow at him in confusion but nodded in agreement.

"What about Angel?"

"The slayers with him are still safe. I told him that I believe we need him here. He is on his way."

*******

With everyone assembled back in the living room she turned an interested eye at Giles.

"This may well be painful for everyone to hear and I regret that it has to be done. But I can no longer stand idly by why countless innocent lives hang in the balance."

She watched as Spike watched the older gentleman nervously. She raised an eyebrow at him but he ignored it.

"There is a prophecy....” the whole room groaned at his hard glare there was silence once again. "A prophecy I thought I would never see in my lifetime." He pulled an old piece of parchment out of his notebook. "I have been working on the translation for some time and only recently discovered that it may in fact be playing out." Some how he had managed to find his glasses and settled the now crooked frames back onto his face and read.

"The line of the chosen shall become split in twain
Until all that lay dormant are thrust forward.
The last shall be called never to feel time
To protect humanity until it finally breathes its last.
Two creatures chosen by her heart answered in deed
Neither human but carrying there essence
Shall stand shoulder to shoulder until blood mixes and cleanses
Sealing the deepest of wells that was pushed open
Freeing one to live again and chaining the other to her."

After the third sentence Buffy had stopped hearing the cryptic words. Never to feel time. Well she would definitely qualify there.

"Okay so I understand the first part, I mean its Buffy and than she died and we ended up with Faith after Kendra right?" Giles nodded. "So than what was it all that lay dormant are forward? That would be us making all the potentials into slayers."

"Yes indeed that would be the most logical interpretation. The next however I only recently discovered."

"What was that to never feel time? Maybe like time travel or traveling through dimensions. Or maybe portals?"

Buffy felt the stares from both Spike and Giles waiting and willing her to answer. Wait, Giles? He knew?

"When did you know?" her voice was small.

Willow and Xander looked quickly between the three people locked into each other’s gaze.

"Know what?" He was definitely missing something Xander could tell.

"Never to feel time, to never have time touch her? They mean the last of the chosen would be immortal." It was Spike of course who made her confront this. It was always him pushing her forward pulling her away from her self-denial and need to shelter her friends from ugly truths. She sighed guess now was a good a time as any.

"I hope you guys have saved some money cause I'm going to have to celebrate a whole lot of birthdays."

"What?"

"Me Xander I found out a few months ago. I'm not ever going to have to worry about dying again. "

Willow studied her seriously. "You mean it Buffy really I mean the living forever thing cause I mean that could be cool right the not worrying about dying thing a serious bonus."

"Yeah its true I'm like all Immortal Buffy all doin the slayage forever." She noticed that Xander and Wood were just staring at her now. Well they would have time to let it all sink in she supposed.

"If I may continue? The next obviously refers to Angel and Spike."

Willow nodded excited at her knowledge. "Both vampires mean neither is human but the essence would be their souls."

"Is that why you told Angel to come here?"

"Yes. If the prophecy is occuring we will need his participation."

"The Poofter is gracing us with his presence. Terrific."

"The last of it I have yet to understand all though I am told that the end of one being chained and the other to live is pretty straight forward."

"Vampire with a soul who gets to become human and another who spends eternity with said chosen bird." He looked nonchalant as he leaned against the wall. "Ripper read that other again."

"Shall stand shoulder to shoulder until blood mixes and cleanses sealing the deepest of wells that was pushed open."

"Bugger all. The deepest of wells I knew that was trouble. Peaches sure mucked up this time."

"What are you talking about Spike?"

"The eternal resting place of the old ones. The deeper well."
chapter 21 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
okay this is it until i get back from vacation so i hope you enjoy it. Thanks for all the wonderful reviews.
"I don't understand." Buffy shook her head.

"The Deeper Well. Maybe I should be startin' at the beginning then." He pushed himself off of the wall he was leaning on and began to pace. "Old ones you know last of the pure demons that walked the planet before they croaked. Place is full of tombs of the old ones goes right through the center of the bloody planet."

"How do you know this?"

"Because someone released one of them. Remember a phone call few months ago from Angel?"

Giles thought for a minute trying to bring up the memory. "He was looking for Willow."

"Me? Why would he have been trying to find me?"

"My idea Red. Thought you might be able to help a friend." He sighed then, the memory of losing Fred still cutting deeply. "Didn't matter in the end anyway. Long story short someone died and Illyria powerful demon king or god was set loose. Wesley managed to contain her power and she helped us when we were fighting."

"And the part about the Well being sealed after it was pushed open?"

"Another of Peaches' brilliant little ideas. Seems he killed the guardian as part of his little power struggle to get to the Black Thorn."

"Let me see if I understand all of this. I've been chosen as the last of the chosen ones to fight against some unyet named evil with Spike and Angel helping me to do some thing that involves blood to seal the Deeper Well and one of the two will become human and the other one gets to spend eternity with me fighting the good fight?"

"Yes I do believe that would be what it means."

"Terrific. It still doesn't help me find out who the hell has been doing all this or where Faith is." Buffy stood up strain evident on her face. "How long ago did you talk to Angel?"

Giles glanced at his watch. "About four hours ago."

"Did any of you get any sleep while we were gone?" The others nodded slowly. "Okay. Lets assume that the thing in charge is here in Cleveland because of all the Hellmouthy goodness. If he really has an army of demons and Vamps than he has to have some kind of base. Gotta be large and somewhere where they wouldn't draw a lot of attention. I think it would be a safe bet to think that would be where they're keeping Faith. Willow search the city records for abandoned buildings like warehouses and such. Try to narrow it down to where there isn't a lot of people around or where no one would pay any attention to their comings and goings." Willow nodded at her and headed out of the room. "Giles I think you need to do some serious digging and see if you can find more on this prophecy or maybe something about this ritual."

"Of course Buffy."

"Oh and don't think you and I aren't going to have a serious discussion about this later." He ducked his head and began to look through some of the books. "Xander you better give Giles a hand until we can scout out some of the locations Will gives us."

"And what are you going to do in the meantime?" Although he asked Buffy the question his eyes were on Spike.

"I'm going to try and get some sleep something tells me we don't have much time. I suggest both of you do the same."
She looked pointedly at Robin.

He mumbled something under his breath and began to head for the stairs. Buffy reached out and touched his arm causing him to turn around.

"I know you're worried and I don't blame you but I promise we will find her." He gave her a slight nod and headed up the stairs.

"I figure Angel will get here in just a couple of hours so wake me when he arrives." She turned then and headed for the bed that was screaming her name. She was exhausted.

Closing the door behind her she pulled off her shoes and flopped onto the mattress. Taking a deep breath she rested her head on the soft pillow praying silently that sleep would over take her soon. A soft knock on the door made her curse under her breath and she reopened her tired eyes. She noticed she had left the light on in her haste.

"It's open." She called softly.

The door cracked open and Spike peaked his head inside.

"Hate to disturb you pet but..."

"Spike will you just get in here all ready." She looked at how far away the light switch was. "And turn out the light will you?"

She caught the ghost of a smile that had touched his lips before he flicked the lights off. In the darkness she could hear the thud of his boots as he took them off and discarded them to the floor. Feeling the bed sag as he laid down she turned to her side letting him spoon into her from behind. The hardness of his chest behind her was complimented with the reassuring weight of his arm around her waist. She let her eyes drift closed for a moment drinking in the sensation of his closeness.

"Did you tell him or did he know?"

The words were so quiet Spike thought he imagined it at first.

"He knew."

"And the prophecy how long have you known?"

"Just since this afternoon."

She turned in his arms then her body pressed to his.

"When were you going to tell me?"

He looked down into her eyes even though he knew she would have a hard time seeing his in the dark. He drank in the beauty of her face.

"Tonight."

Her sigh was long and deep. "You know how I hate it when people keep stuff from me. Especially stuff like this. It's part of who I am."

"I know." It was all he could manage.

"Don't do it again." She tilted her head up and placed a small tender kiss on the side of his mouth. "I love you. Now go to sleep."

He watched her close her eyes. Again he didn't get the reaction he thought for sure would be forth coming. His little book of Buffy reactions was going through some serious rewrites. Could anyone really change this much where everything he thought he knew about this woman was being proven wrong in the space of a few days. Or is it possible that he never really knew her at all, that she had never given him the chance to see what she was really like until now.

"Luv?"

"Spike I'm really tired can't we just go to sleep now?" She didn't even open her eyes.

"In a minute."

Silently Buffy counted to ten trying to mask her frustration. "What's wrong?"

"Do you regret what happened tonight?"

Her eyes adjusting to the dark of the room now could make out the look of concern on his face. Seeing her gaze he turned his head away from her.

"How could you even think that?" She tried to keep the hurt out of her voice but she had a feeling that she failed miserably.

He ran a hand through his hair. "Do you?"

She sat up in the bed. "What is it you want exactly? I told you I love you. I do more than I thought it was possible to love anyone. So why would I regret letting you claim me as your mate and claiming you in return?"

He was sitting now as well but his eyes wouldn't meet hers. "Do you really understand what this means?"

"Spike no matter what Giles claims I did pay attention when he was talking. I also did research on many parts of vampire life mating rituals included." She felt her cheeks grow warm at the thought of the books she and Willow had found at the back of Giles' office. Probably was a little more information than her Watcher had intended for her to learn.

She touched his arm letting his cool skin warm beneath her touch. "I understand. I agreed to take you as my mate for eternity Spike. Now why would that be something I would regret?"

"You just mated yourself to a vampire. You're the Slayer it isn't right. I should never have done it."

She drew her hand back from him quickly like she had been burned. "Oh so that's it you regret it happened." She got up and stood next to the bed. "I thought we were past all of this." She made her way around the bed to stand in front of him. "Tell me why I was wrong to do what I did. Explain it to me using small words so I don't get confused." Buffy hated the sarcasm she could hear dripping from her words but he was pushing her over that edge. The place where only he could send her.

"I just reacted and I wasn't thinking clearly."

"Fine then you do regret it. Great wonderful let me reverse time for you then and we can take it back just so you feel better. Is that what you want? I should have known any real commitment and Buffy sends them tearing for the hills." She barked out a hysterical laugh. "Got to admit it though you sure had me fooled. I thought for a second that you might just be as different as you said you were. Well let me tell you something. I. Don't. Regret. Anything. Got that? Not a damn thing."

She turned her back to him and took a few steps towards the door. She let her mind wander to the feelings in the claim. Feeling the doubt and insecurity he was trying to block from flowing to her. Stopping herself she let the fear and frustration his words had brought her be squashed by sudden need to let him know how much she knew what she was doing. Listening to what her instincts told her she opened herself up fully to him letting everything she was flow back to him.

Spike knew he was pushing her, hurting her while he questioned her heart. He couldn't help it this was all so new. Their feelings had just started to blossom between them and he had let himself get carried away and complicated things. They were supposed to be taking it slow and getting to really know each other and he had claimed her in a night’s time.

His thoughts were such a jumble all at once. He didn't know whether he was coming or going at this point and while he had heard the words she had spoken here in the quiet of this darkened room he couldn't let the sprouting bud of hope to grow in his heart. Maybe she did understand the principal of a claiming but that didn't mean she understood everything that went along with it. The part of her that made her The Slayer, just not a slayer among many, couldn't have wanted this. It was bad enough that she had feelings for him but to mate and link herself to him forever. No way was that something the light part of her could accept. Sure she was all hugs and puppies right now but when everything finally set in he was sure that it would crush her beautiful spirit.

He had tried of course to block most of what he was feeling from flowing into the bond that they were now sharing but he was still adapting to it. It was more encompassing than the Sire/Childe bond he had shared with Dru. He hadn't had trouble mastering the art of walling his feelings off from her or vice versa, course it had been more for his own protection than hers considering how often her fragile state of mind sent her emotions spinning violently. This was harder though he knew he was straining mentally to keep up the barrier between them. He didn't want her to feel the doubt or confusion he was feeling but especially the fear he had buried deep inside him the one where she would think that all of this had been a mistake.

The room had become oppressively silent weighing down the air around them. His inner thoughts were interrupted by a gently nagging in the tiniest corners of his mind. He felt himself drawn to the sensation and reached for it with his mind still not letting his guard down.

She stood there in the silence opening herself up to him laying her heart bare for him to see. Knowing this was a huge risk to her but he had always taken care of her heart and she had to trust him to do that now. She just wanted to show him the truth that she held inside of herself. He had to see for himself the trust, the caring and all the love held inside of her for him. If she could make him see she knew that it would alleviate his every worry keep in check the negative thoughts that always seem to creep in-between them. So still she waited not pushing against his tightly held shield letting him feel secure behind the fences he had put up.

Pushing other thoughts from his mind he focused on what he was sensing from the small woman who stood several feet away from him. He gasped at how she had just opened herself completely to him letting him into every nook and cranny of her being. The things he found there amazed him. He felt the fear and concern she felt for Faith, the love she felt for her friends and her sister, the hurt from the words he had spoken just a few moments ago. Inside of it all he could feel the trust she had in him, how much she had come to care for him after all these years, and most importantly how much she loved him. He was wrong. Right then and there he knew he had been wrong to ever doubt the fact that the love she felt wasn't real, that it just a dream she had held onto while she thought he was dead. It wasn't that at all and he could see it all now clear as day. The walls he had carefully constructed started to crumble he couldn't hold them up any longer.

Buffy could feel the blockage begin to fall away as his guard began to drop. She had felt him there of course and knew he saw her completely. It wasn't something she would have been able to do with words.

"Spike?" His name was barely a breath on her lips. She hadn't moved, her back still facing him and her feet pointed at the door.

"Buffy." He breathed her name along a sad sigh.

"Ask me again." It was a demand spoken on the wings of a whisper. An urging of the gentlest nature to finalize what was seen and felt into words.

"Do you." his voice broke as he tried to push the words into the air around them. "Do you regret...?" His voice had shaken again and he wasn't going to try to pretend that it was easy for him to ask his now asinine question.

"No." A simple statement of fact. Something held so true it was cemented into the center of her very being. Now she turned to face him the darkness hiding his features from her. "Do you regret making me your mate?" Her words were strong and even measured with the belief she held.

"No." For what the word lacked in volume it more than made up for in conviction. He loved her every single part of her that she was willing to share with him. And now he had seen all of her could it be possible for him to love her more then he did before. Somehow he knew that he did that the willingness she had to flay herself open in such a way for him was nothing short of an earth shattering experience. She was holding nothing back for the first time.

"So so sorry luv. Just a stupid vampire." He held his arms out to her, a welcoming gesture, a silent plea to her heart.

She climbed onto the bed and let herself be wrapped into his strong arms. He held her close her head tucked under his chin keeping her body tight against his.

After a moment she pulled her head back slightly to look into his face and ran a hand gently in his hair.

"Do you get it now?" Her words were soft but urgent needing to know for certain.

He couldn't think of the words so he answered her the only other way he knew how. His lips claimed hers in a kiss that scorched her insides. It was passionate and yet gentle, taking her fully but giving in return. Her own mouth answered touching and caressing his, soothing his emotions yet stirring his blood. The soft slide of their lips grew in intensity each fiery touch demanding for them to become closer still.

Buffy needed to touch him, to feel his cool flesh under her teasing fingers and began to draw the shirt he was wearing over his head. Pulling it free she balled it up and threw it across the room forgotten once the fabric left the tips of her digits. She let her hands move over his well-muscled torso slowly savoring every twitch he had at her slightest touch. Across his sinewy back, over his well developed chest, down the perfectly sculpted abs and then across his waistband. She felt a giddy sense of euphoria at the sudden gasp he took as her hands ran back and forth just under the fabric.

Spike savored the taste of her slowly drinking it from her warm luscious lips. Reluctantly he parted from them brushing his lips down her jaw to follow the curve of her neck. He felt lost in the sensation of her scent, her warmth and her love. His hands were moving slowly up from her waist, over her flat stomach until his hands reached for her perfect breasts. The feel of the cotton under his skin was too much of a barrier and he pulled it off. Unhooking her bra from behind he tossed it away finally able stroke her golden skin. His hands cupped her mounds letting their weight rest in his palms his thumbs grazing her nipples. She arched closer to him wanting more of his touch her body surrendering to the sensations he brought her.

Turning himself in his seated position he softly laid her down onto her back while he followed with his own body. His lips and tongue left a cool path down her neck, into the dip of her collarbone, down the valley between her breasts, circling around and over until his mouth sucked eagerly on the tight pert nipple.

She wove her fingers into his hair bringing his head closer to her chest gasping as his mouth sent shivers of pleasure up and down her spine. Pulling his head upwards she claimed his mouth in another kiss the power of which caused both to moan. His hands dipped now to the top of her pants untying the drawstring of the sweats she had donned not too long ago. Tugging at the fabric he moved away slightly as the sweats came away leaving her in just a scrap of lace. Unable to keep away for long his lips found her body again and kissed and licked their way over her stomach stopping just at the edge of her thong. Hooking his thumbs into the fabric he brought it down slowly over her legs. He stood for a moment taking a second to shed the last of his clothing letting it fall to the floor.

She gazed at his lean body, his alabaster skin a contrast to the darkness in the room, shadows filling in the hard planes of his form making him look like some statue of a Greek god. To her he was beautiful, the masterwork of the male form here in all of its glory, belonging to her and her alone. The predatory smile that graced her full lips was unbidden. She crooked her finger, motioning him closer. When he shook his head at her she immediately pouted her bottom lip thrust out. In answer he grinned brightly. Crawling over her body slowly he paused his face hovering over her. Unable to resist he took her bottom lip and began to suck on it tugging sensually at it. Moving back he smiled again at the dreamy look that replaced her little pout and continued to move back until he was seated near her feet. Leaning forward he trailed his tongue along her stomach and let it dip into her belly button for a moment before gliding lower until he reached the sweet nectar of her sex.

Buffy moaned as his tongue probed and teased her folds, sipping at her, drinking her in. Her head turned from side to side as
He licked her swollen clit. Sucking the throbbing bundle of nerves, pushing against it with his tongue, nipping gently with blunt teeth, she could feel the warm tingling at the base of her being growing in intensity. She panted so close to the edge feeling herself starting to teeter. Turning her head into the pillow she bit down on it to muffle the scream that was pushing past her lips as the orgasm tore through her body. Her hips bucked held in place by his large hands as he lapped at her devouring her greedily. As her trembling subsided he let her go his head coming up to her again kissing her deeply. Tasting herself on his lips she felt the desire rushing through her system again. Wrapping her legs around his lean waist she grabbed his shoulders, using her strength she flipped them over so that she lay on top of him.

His eyes locked with hers adoration pouring silently through them both. Settling upright she guided him into her entrance letting him fill her inch-by-inch. Their movements were unhurried as both sought to savor the pleasure of their joining. Riding him with fluid grace he watched fascinated as her head dropped back, eyes closed at the intense look of joy that was on her face. Bodies straining to keep their torturous pace they began to move together faster seeking their ultimate release.

Unable to help himself he flipped them both back over increasing the power of his thrusts. The sounds of their flesh meeting and their heavy panting filling the room. Looking deep into her eyes he could feel her body tensing signaling that she was close, neither was able to look away, and he could feel his own orgasm rushing to meet him. Dipping his head he whispered nonsensical words of love and devotion into her ear letting them tumble from his lips. As she started to shake his lips took hers and muffled the yell that tore from her throat and the answering roar from him. Finally spent he collapsed on top of her limp form panting even if he didn't need to catch his breath. Getting himself under control he reluctantly moved to her side pulling her close to him.

Wrapped in his arms, she let her head rest on his chest for a moment before managing to maneuver a blanket over them. Looking up at him she placed a warm hand to his cheek and looked into the blue eyes of the man she loved.

"I love you." She settled herself back into his body and closed her eyes letting sleep to overtake her tired body.

"Love you Buffy." The whisper was barely out of his mouth before his own heavy eyelids drifted closed and sleep stole him away.
chapter 22 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews and the patience while I was away.
The faint sound of the doorbell was enough to stir Buffy from the light slumber she had allowed herself. She took another half second revelling in the feel of his embrace before she moved. Walking away she grabbed her clothes to get dressed as a light tap came from the door.

"Buffy?"

"I'm up Wills be out in a sec." She called softly looking over at Spike as she fastened her jeans.

Blue eyes gazed at her thoughtfully.

"Coming?"

Minutes later they were both dressed and once again standing in the living room. Buffy looked at Wood and noticed how exhausted he appeared. Probably didn't get much rest and she couldn't blame him. Her gaze fixed on the tall quiet figure in the center of the room. Angel didn't look like he had gotten any rest either and she could swear he was broodier than normal, which would be quite a feat. She also didn't fail to recognize the open hostility her ex was showing towards Giles. There was something going on there but was at a loss as to what it was.

She walked over to him opening her arms in a welcoming gesture and hugged him. It was a friendly hug no overt gestures from either party so it was a little suprising to hear the low growl come from the corner of the room. Buffy turned to Spike her eyebrow raised in a silent question. He gave her a noncommital shrug.

"It's good to see you Angel."

"You too Buffy." His eyes narrowed and raked over her critically. "So you're cookies already? You didn't spend a lot of time in the oven."

She felt the curious stares focus on the two of them.

"Um guys could you excuse us for a minute?" Buffy turned and headed towards the kitchen. She spun around as she entered the room looking at the two males. She watched as Angel grabbed Spike by the arm.

"You claimed her?" There was a hint of disappointment in his voice.

Spike yanked his arm away from the taller vamp his eyes flashing yellow for a moment.

"Don't play dumb with me you big poof. You knew the second it happened."

"You knew? How?" Her arms were folded over her chest waiting for an answer.

He looked the blonde pair up and down seeing the glare from Spike and the tension radiating off of Buffy. Then he did something he rarely did, Angel sighed.

"I didn't know for sure."

"How?" She asked again.

"Familial bond pet. Peaches and I aren't close anymore but he can feel it when someone joins the family. Specially someone as strong as you."

"But you weren't sure until now. What changed?"

"I figured it out when I stepped into the house." Angel tapped his nose gently.

"You mean? Oh that is still gross and did I mention ewww?" Her nose scrunched up in distaste.

"How could you do this? How could you let yourself be claimed by William the Bloody?" His turn on her shocked her momentarily making her forget that she had wanted to spare his feelings.

"I didn't let myself..." The hard edge to her words cutting him down. "This was a mutual thing Angel or don't you get that. I love Spike. Period. End of discussion on the subject."

"But Captain Peroxide? The Bleached Wonder? You love him?" His tone was incredulous unable to believe the simple fact.

Angel's attention was focused on the little blonde woman in front of him and he failed to notice the way Spike's hands had curled into tight fists by his side.

"Is this the part where you try to tell me he's evil, he can't be trusted and the second I turn my back he'll turn on me? Save it. I had enough of that years ago." She gave Angel a hard glare. "He is a good man. A man with a demon yes but he controls it. In fact he was a good man before he went and got his soul back. Not many around here that can say that."

His head hung at her strong words.

"Look Angel I know this hurts you and I'm sorry. I really am. I should have been able to tell you when you came to Sunnydale but I didn't have the words then. I do now. I love him." Her voice held a plea of understanding.

Spike was pissed. Actually he was passed pissed and was steadily making his way to furious. How had Angel gone from complete understanding in L.A. to being the stubborn git he was here? It didn't make a bit of sense and for once he was glad that Buffy had taken control of the conversation. All he wanted to do now was pummel the bastard.

Angel looked back and forth between the determined face of the woman he loved to the angry glint in his grande childe's eyes. He was confused. Buffy actually loving Spike had never crossed his mind. Sure she had said that he was in her heart but so were her other friends and that didn't equal love. She cared and he got that, he really did. But loving him? It wasn't possible in his mind. Yet truth be told Cordelia had been right about him. The love he thought he had felt for Buffy had shifted and changed over the years. Where before his whole world had centered on her, now she was just out on the sidelines still there but not vital. It wasn't the undying love he had thought.

"The Buffy I knew would never have fallen in love with him." He mumbled.

There it was then. She had known that he had always considered her something to be placed on a pedastal, someone who was above every thing and was innocent and pure. It was frustrating that he hadn't changed his view, learned that she had grown, that she too had changed as the years had passed.

"I haven't been that Buffy for a long time Angel."

"I don't know if that's a good thing."

That was it. He'd finally driven him over that line drawn in the sand. Past the point where his control slipped and his demon demanded blood. No one, not even the Poofter was ever going to say anything negative to his mate. She was his, just as he was hers.

Faster than a blink Spike had him by the throat, backed against the kitchen counter. He let a low rumbling growl echo through the room.

A gentle hand on his arm stopped him from using his strength to crush the neck in his grasp. He looked questioningly at her.

"It's alright Spike." Her voice was warm and gentle.

He didn't let go and he refused to back away from the asshole. He was lucky that the woman was so forgiving. He was sure that he wasn't.

"We really don't have time for this Angel. What exactly is wrong with you?"

Angel tried to suck in a little air so he could make his vocal cords work. It wasn't that easy considering the amount of pressure that was coming from Spike's hand.

"I don't know."

Disgusted Spike dropped his hold and took a few steps back.

"Cheerleader was right wasn't she? Jealous much?" Spike leered his tongue curled behind his teeth.

His glare at the platinum blonde didn't go unnoticed by Buffy.

"Are we back to that again?" She shook her head, disgusted by the immature vamps. "You know it's hard to believe how old the two of you really are. How is it that I'm the only adult in this room?" She turned and smiled at her mate. "Spike could you give us a minute?"

The hurt flashed in his eyes quickly before being hidden by the false bravado he carried around. She smiled reassuringly at him.

"It's okay Spike." She reached up and kissed his cheek tenderly.

Spike nodded, sensing her love through their bond and gaining confidence through the feeling. "Alright luv. Gonna go talk to your watcher see what he's dug up."

When he had left she returned her glare at Angel.

"So you want to explain the caveman act or are you just gonna club me over the head?"

"You really love him?"

"Yes."

"And you returned the claim?"

"Yes."

At her simple word his whole demeanour changed and he slumped against the counter. It was probably the only thing holding him up.

"Angel I know this is hard for you. But I know that this is what's right for me. I've never felt as complete as I do right now and I wouldn't change it for the world."

His eyes met hers as he tried to gauge her feelings. It was there he could see it, the light that danced in her hazel depths. The happiness she never had with him.

"I'm sorry Buffy. You're happy and that's what matters." He smiled sadly.

"You do mean that don't you? Cause really I don't have the energy to keep the two of you seperated for long."

"I mean it. Doesn't mean I like it a whole lot, but you're right he has changed and even if I don't think he deserves you, he's what you want."

She gave a disdainful snort. "He does. He's gone through a lot Angel. Any other man or demon for that matter would have broken years ago if they had even faced a tiny scrap of what he did. He pushed through it and became the man no one thought he could be. I don't deserve him." With that she turned and walked to join the others.

******

"There wasn't very much written about the ritual that I could find. The only mentions of it are vague and open to interpetation. I'm afraid we don't have much time however. The book mentions something about the alignment of certain planets."

"And that would be when?" Wood's voice was frayed from worry and exhaustion.

"Tomorrow at the latest." Giles was pinching the bridge of his nose.

"So we have like one night to figure all this out, find the bad guys, rescue Faith, and stop whatever this thing is from ending the world? Seems like old times. Too bad I didn't miss them."

"Unfortunately you are quite correct Xander." Giles groaned. "Please tell me I didn't just say that."

"Can't take it back now G-man."

"What about locations Wills?" She finished walking into the room and leaned against her vampire.

His arms circled her appreciatively as he watched the Poof shuffle into the room.

"There were a lot of places. I tried narrowing them down but since most are in a deserted area of the city there wasn't much to go on. Oh but I did find out that there have been a rash of neck injuries in just the last two months and maulings by wild animals are up too. Most of the attacks were near that part of town. So they have to be there somewhere right?"

"So what's the plan Buff?"

"We need to get going now. There's not enough time for us to figure this out." She looked at the clock on the wall noting that the sun wouldn't be setting for a long while. "Xander, Giles you guys are with me. Wills see if doing a locator spell will help but I have a feeling they might have it sheilded, and see if you can pull up the blue prints for those buildings. Wood I want you to stay here with Spike and Angel. You guys can join us as soon as we figure out exactly where they are and how many of them we're up against."

She could feel Spike start to tense as if he was getting ready to protest the idea.

"You guys have to stay here sun's still out. In the meantime look over what Giles has found. See if maybe there's something us humans are missing concerning the ritual. Alright let's get going."
chapter 23 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews. This was the last chappie I had posted on the other site. I have two more already waiting in the wings now. So happy that my muse decided to come back and play with me. So thanks for everyone for reading and let me know what you think. Thanks again.
She had just reached for her coat not waiting to see if the others had begun to make their own way to the door when all hell finally broke loose.

The front wall of the house seemed to explode before their eyes, glass and shards of wood spraying the air. The dust billowed inwards coating them in fine drywall powder. Buffy squinted trying to see through the bright haze noticing that at least the sun was only high enough to light the front part of the room. The thundering footsteps she heard told her that for once the fight had come to her.

The Cameria were great lumbering beasts but they were awfully fast. Faster then things that big and ugly ought to be. She wished she had a weapon in her hands as they entered the house. There were lots of them Buffy could tell maybe fifteen or so and she didn't think this was going to be good.

At the back of the room both Angel and Spike had twisted themselves away from the splintered wood that was propelled towards them and instinctively ducked as the light entered the room. They watched as Buffy quickly dropped into a fighting stance taking on the rushing pack. They noticed the humans in the room searching around trying to find a weapon of any sort.

Xander had made it finally to the weapons chest in the corner of the room. He pulled out a short sword.

"BUFFY!" he yelled as he tossed the sword to her waiting hand.

For once their timing was impeccable, the sword landing in her hand as the first demon reached her. She swung in a high arc, the blade slicing through its neck.

Xander managed to toss a dagger to Spike as he dodged the Cameria closest to him. Using his body to twist around the demon he shoved the dagger through its eye and up into its brain.

Buffy concentrated now, keeping her eyes on the three demons in front of her and noticing that five of them were standing outside in the sunlight. So that was their plan it seemed, the controlling demons staying outside and sending their doubles in to fight. She was the only one who would be able to take them on outside and they had known. She was debating on the next move she was going to take, feeling her body tense at the encroaching Camerias. It was the sound of their footsteps crunching in the debris lying on the floor of the living room that made her realize that there were no sounds of fighting around her. In fact the room was deathly silent and that just wasn't right.

She risked looking around the room, sweeping her gaze from right to left slightly behind her. Willow was unconcious on the floor, her head resting against the wall. Xander was bent over her, his hands gently touching her face and a Cameria holding a sword against his back.

Next she saw Angel with his back against the wall, a stake pointed at his heart. His face was a blank mask not telling her what he was thinking.

Passing him she saw Giles down on his knees a sword held to his throat. Unlike Angel his face showed a barely checked fury at his current perdicament.

Spike was on the other side of Giles' position a demon holding him up by the neck his toes just barely touching the floor. Her eyes caught his and she could see the worry in their depths and she knew it was for her and not about his current position.

Robin was last and the most humiliated it would seem as his throat was under the foot of another Cameria. She dared not meet his eyes knowing that the pain he was feeling at this latest hurt couldn't compare to the fact that they were now derailed in the attempt to find Faith.

Her eyes swiveled again to the front and her brow furrowed as she took in the three in front of her. There was no way that she could take down all three and make a move on the five that were outside before the others killed her family. Oh this sucked royally and she wasn't prepared to lie to herself that there was a good way out of this for them.

With a sigh she dropped her sword to her side.

"What do you want?"

"Why you of course." the voice that answered her didn't come from any of the people or demons in the house. And it hadn't come from the five just outside the destroyed wall either. It seemed to be echoing through the walls surrounding her. Great a magic voice. This really wasn't getting any better.

"Well I'm right here and you have my attention so talk."

The voice chuckled. It was cold and hollow, the sound of it chilling her more than the breeze she felt from outside.

"Soon, once you have joined me."

"And my friends?"

"They are of no consequence to me."

"Then let them go."

"Come with us willlingly and I shall release them."

"And if I don't?"

She heard a gasp and turned to see a bright red drop of blood form on Giles' throat.

"Yeah I get it." She dropped the sword and it landed with a slight thump against the carpet. "So where we going?"

The protests in the room were to many for her to single out.

"Let me have a moment please."

"Of course."

She turned to face the others as they gaped at her.

"Find Faith. Do what you have to. I'll be alright." She could feel the reluctant acceptance of the situation as it traveled around the room. Her eyes met each of the men in turn letting them know she knew exactly what she was doing, wanting them to understand it was the only choice. Each set held their own look of worry and she acknowledged each in turn. Lastly she locked her eyes onto Spike's letting her love for him and a soothing encouragement flow through the bond.

She dragged her eyes away reluctantly and faced the demons again.

"Well lead away." She was flippant but was soon worried when what could have only been a portal opened up just outside the house. The demon closest to her gave her a slight nudge in its direction and she set her jaw. She took a deep breath and walked forward until she was just in front of the portal. Hesitantly she took a step and walked in. Behind her she could feel the five controlling demons walk in behind her.

Spike watched as Buffy disappeared into the swirling mass of energy followed closely by the five Cameria that had been on the lawn. As soon as they had all stepped in it closed around them with a slight popping noise. He was relieved when the hand around his neck began to loosen and he could stand on the floor. He watched as the remaining demons vanished from the room leaving the Scoobies alone now minus two slayers.
chapter 24 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hey thanks for the wonderful reviews all I just am tickled that I'm getting somewhere in this fic. Thanks again hope you continue to enjoy.
For a moment none of them moved all too transfixed by the sight of Buffy disappearing in front of them. Each man was lost in his own thoughts fear and worry etching all of their features.

The slight moan from the remaining woman in the room drew their attention back to the present.

"Red alright?"

"She got a nasty bump on the head but I think yeah."

"Right then."

"I can't believe she went with them." Woods voice was quiet and rough, the demon's weight apparently not good for the vocal cords.

The other four men decided to ignore the comment each of them knowing that she wouldn't have made any other choice.

Willow moaned again this time her eyes fluttering open.

"What happened?" She tried to sit up but winced at the pain in her head.

"Oh you know. Bunch of demons crashed in knocked us around a bit." Xander smiled warmly at her. "Same as usual."

"Are you alright Willow?"

"I'm fine Giles. Just you know kind of headache-y. Where's Buffy?"

Angel cleared his throat. "They took her."

Her eyes swept over the men in the room. She took in the lines on their faces, the gloomy disposition in the room settling into her bones.

"Where?"

"Don't know Red. Popped into some kind of portal."

"Ooohhh! That's good!" Her sudden excitement made everyone else stare hard at her. Taking in their reaction she smiled. "Well not good in the sense that she's gone or anything but a portal is good."

"Why is that?" Spike didn't think anything that had happened in the last few moments could be good.

"I can trace it. See it takes really powerful magic to open a portal and I can follow it to where it came from. Its like that kind of magic has its own kind of individuality. Kind of like a signature."

"Why didn't I think of that?" There was despair in Giles' voice.

"Do you think she was taken to the same place as Faith?"

"Do the spell Red and then the locator spell she asked you to perform."

Xander offered her a hand and she took it gratefully using the leverage to get to her feet.

********

She felt a bit nauseated as she took a step forward from the blinding light around her. It was hard to get her eyes to adjust to the darkened area they were now in. The demons behind her shoved her forward again and she stumbled a bit before continuing to walk. Her tinglies were in overdrive now becoming almost painful. She hadn't felt the presence of this many vamps and demons since she had been in the hellmouth with all those ubervamps. Somehow this situation wasn't getting any easier to deal with.

Her eyes were starting to adjust a bit and she could see that she was in a cavernous room. It was not just dark but it smelled musty and she could feel the dust clogging her breathing as she walked along. Her shoes thumped on what sounded like a hardwood floor. She could make out the weak thin rays of light that tried to enter the room through what must be long boarded up windows.

She must have hesitated taking the next step judging from the push she got from behind. Buffy fought the urge to turn around and glare at the demon. Now was no time to lose her temper. Instead she forced herself to take deep even breaths.

They turned to the right down a narrow passage way and she let her senses out once again. The intensity of her spidey sense seemed to drop a bit meaning they had left the largest group of demons behind them. That awareness instead of being comforting was making her a tad nervous. It meant that whoever this was that had brought her here was unconcerned about her approach.

Still she held her tongue and continued to walk her steps thudding softly on the worn carpeting.

Near the end of the corridor the demons in front of her stopped and she stepped in front of the open door. The room was large though not nearly as big as the room she had first come in was. There were a few demons and vamps maybe six walking around and looking at a couple of computers. A part of her noticed this and filed the information away for later.

Mostly she just noticed the figure hanging from some chains on the far wall.

"Hey B 'bout time you showed up." Faith's voice was quiet and a bit rough and Buffy could see the trail of dried blood on her forehead.

"You know me I like to make an entrance. You okay?"

"Five by five B." Faith gave her a little smirk and Buffy returned it. Both of them knew the odds they were facing.

"So any word on who's behind all this?" Buffy asked as she was pushed into the room from behind.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

***********

Angel had pulled Spike into the kitchen supposedly to keep both of them out of the sun. Spike knew better. Sure they had brought all the research materials and placed them on the island but neither was as of yet pouring over the books. Instead they kind of just stared at each other in silence.

He really couldn't make himself care. Right now the woman he loved had been taken from him and the only thought he had was getting her back. And making whoever took her pay in pain and blood. So he was hardly going to be paying attention to his Grandsire.

Unfortunately Angel had other ideas as usual.

"What the hell were you thinking claiming her?" The harsh tone of Angel's voice was enough for Spike to let loose the rage he'd checked earlier combined with the helplessness he felt with Buffy's exit.

"Get over it you great brooding git. It's done now Slayer's my mate. Got more important things to do then talk to you about it." He snarled at Angel unable to contain the demon flashing in his eyes.

"Normally I would agree with you." The words made both vampires turn sharply and see Giles walk into the room. "However I don't think anyone mentioned this to me."

The words themselves were hard and cold and Spike had to keep from flinching at the look in the watcher's eyes. Suddenly Spike remembered every threat the Englishman had ever tossed his way. The memories weren't very comforting. Spike understood just how deadly dear old Rupert really was underneath that calm British exterior he liked to maintain.

He took a deep breath and sent out a slight prayer to anyone who would listen that he survive the next few minutes without turning to dust.

"Buffy and I are mated Rupes. Just happened last night. Don't think it was a secret just didn't have the right moment to let everyone know."

Giles seemed to consider the words for a moment before taking his glasses off and giving them a good polish.

"Dear Lord." He shook his head slightly. "Well I suppose now would be a good time as any to ask what you can sense through the bond."

" 'S not like the movies Watcher. Can't tell where she is only that she's alive and if she has any strong emotions. Isn't an all encompassing psychic link."

"Right. Well than I suppose we should get to work then."

*********

Willow looked up from the flash on the map quietly pleased with herself. The locator spell was a bust of course like Buffy knew it would be but she was right trailing the origin of the magic from the portal was a piece of cake.

"Traced it did you?" She lifted her eyes to Spike's.

"Yeah. It seems to be an old abandoned hotel. That's where the magic came from at least. Buffy was right the place is shielded from simple magicks like locator spells. They just didn't think of a tracer spell."

"So we just ride in and save the Buffster and Faith?" Xander asked as he got up from the lonely chair that had survived the fight.

"Unfortunately that may be a little fool hardy. There is still the matter of the ritual to consider." Giles stated as he and Angel joined the rest of the group.

"Which we can't do without Buffy." Wood mumbled.

"That would be a problem yes. However we are lacking in information. We don't know who or even what has taken both Buffy and Faith or for what purpose."

"Doesn't matter Rupes. Haven't got much of an option left. Time's wastin'."
Chapter 25 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thank you for the reviews I'm really glad you are still enjoying this one. Not much left too go so maybe this time I can finish this one. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
There were a few times in Buffy's life that she could think of when she'd been bound in chains. None of them were good. And usually she was rescued before the final plot was about to happen.

Well except for that one time with Spike.

She never could understand what made him think that chaining her up next to his ho of a Sire would be a good idea. No sane woman would ever consider it the most ideal romantic setting for a declaration of love. Of course one only had to look at the woman he had been with for a hundred and twenty years and bam there's the answer.

Right now thoughts of her vampire were the only thing keeping her sane. Not that she felt that her life was threatened. Nope not with the immortality clause that she'd been sporting for the last year. No she was worried about what they intended to do to her without the death. And she had to admit she was more then a little worried about Faith. She wasn't in the same situation.

It was hard for her to deal with the thought that people she cared about were going to die. She'd never dealt well with death be it someone on the fringes of their group like Jenny had been or people like Anya or Tara that she'd been close too. Let alone the kind of emotional shut down she found herself in when it was someone like her mom and Spike.

She'd be so lost without him in her life. Had been already. His second death nearly killed her inside. Sure her body no matter what would keep on living but her heart. They say you can't die from a broken heart Buffy was willing to bet that you could come damn close.

Such musings were doing little to get either her or Faith out of their current predicament. She was bound at the wrists by manacles the chains connecting them secure in the wall behind her. Faith was bound similarly and even with Slayer strength the steel was impossible to break. She had a feeling they weren't just ordinary chains.

They had been left alone once the demons had finished securing her. That had been quite a while ago. Now the anxiety was rushing in to take the place of her fading adrenaline.

"Any ideas?" The darker Slayer turned her head and her brown eyes met Buffy's.

"Um I have to say no. You?"

Faith shook her head side to side.

Buffy opened her mouth to speak again but stopped when someone walked into the room.

She turned her head to take a look at the newcomer and her mouth dropped open in surprise.

**********

The men were all silent as they rode in Spike's car. Angel Giles and Wood were all riding with him to the spot in the industrial area that Willow had found. None of them were willing to discuss what they thought was going to happen once they arrived at their destination and none of them were willing to think about the danger both Slayers were probably in.

Spike drove down the city streets not at the speed limit but not too fast either trying not to lose the car behind him. He checked his mirrors again seeing enough to catch the determined look on Xander's face as he drove. Willow sat beside him Spike knew concentrating on whatever she needed to gather whatever powers she may have to call upon.

He realized just how foolish this really was. Anyone who could effectively launch a world wide attack wasn't someone who didn't have an army guarding their front door. The odds were not in their favor. They were in a helpless situation and he was unsure how they were going to get out of this one.

It surprised him to realize that he was brooding. He wasn't the brooder in the family that was the poof's job. Determinedly he thrust all his distressing thoughts away. Right now he just needed to concentrate on getting his mate back.

****************

"You son of a bitch. How the hell did you get away?"

A slight chuckle only infuriated her further.

"It's amazing just how much chaos one can generate with just the right amount of magic." The lightly accented voice made her grit her teeth.

"I can't believe even you would stoop this low Ethan."

"Well that my dear would depend on your point of view. From my vantage point things are quite different."

In the years since she had seen Ethan Rayne he had changed little. A little gray in his hair maybe a few lines around his eyes but for the most part Giles' old buddy was still the same. His sure steps brought him into her personal space stopping only when they were separated by mere inches.

She gave him a hard glare refusing to let him intimidate her.

"Oh yeah and how's that?"

The slight chuckle grated on her nerves. "Come now my dear. Surely you see the predicament both of you are in."

She had no answer for that of course. The way both of them were bound and the fact that they were trapped in a building with hundreds of demons without any weapons. Well she knew that there wasn't a way out of this easily.

Ethan seemed to take her silence in stride though.

"But if I was you I wouldn't fret. There are big plans for you in the works young lady." He gave a slight nod in Faith's direction. "Luckily for your friend here the Master has decided to change her fate a bit."

"So what now you're just a lackey? Finally realize that your plans seem to go a bit kablooey?" She didn't know why she was taunting the sorcerer but she couldn't help it. Besides after watching Giles kick his ass more than once she was fairly certain she could take him. It was just more difficult since she was chained up.

The brief look of fury in the man's eyes told her she had struck close to home but he covered the emotion quickly.

"Let's just say that I've realized the importance of having powerful allies. Something I'm sure you know all about. Pity it won't help you much now." Neither girl responded verbally but shot him twin looks full of hate instead. "Now now no need to get all huffy ladies. Instead perhaps it was time we got started don't you think?"

Buffy didn't respond as she watched the door open behind him.

**********

Spike gathered with the others in the shade of an alley across the street from what should have been an abandoned hotel. So far they hadn't seen anyone coming or going through the front door but now that he was so close he could feel it. There were a very large number of demons in the area.

They had been standing around for quite a few minutes none of them talking.

What they needed was a plan. Unfortunately it looked like the others didn't have any ideas either.

"This is stupid." Xander blurted out making a super tense Willow jump a bit.

Spike gave him a shrug. "You got any better ideas Harris?"

"Well no." He replied sheepishly. "But standing out here isn't helping either."

"If we go in now the surprise would work in our favor." Wood added.

"Yeah for like thirty seconds." Angel said as he glanced back at the silent building. "There's got to be hundreds of demons in there."

"Unfortunately we seem to be out of choices." Giles took off his glasses and slipped them into his coat pocket. "Whatever they are planning is inconsequential we need to perform that ritual tonight. And we need Buffy to do so."

Willow pursed her lips together thoughtfully for a moment.

"Do you think that Spike and Angel could like just slip in being vamps and all? Do you think the guards would let them past?"

Spike looked seriously into Angel's eyes for a moment seeing the determination bleed into them.

"Would be suicide mate."

"Probably." Angel agreed.

Spike nodded in acknowledgement.

"We're in Red."

"And what are we going to do?" Xander asked not really wanting to run into the thick of things but not wanting to be left out of trying to rescue his friend.

"You and Wood here just be ready to rush in and pull Faith out. Peaches and me'll get to Buffy."

"I can still talk to you telepathically." Willow said hesitantly. "Maybe Giles and I can set up some kind of distraction."

"Of course Willow. Perhaps we should get started then?" Giles asked looking more like he wanted to rush in there in himself than stay behind.

"Last chance Rupert. You sure there isn't something else we should know about this thing we're supposed to do?"

"I regret that I'm just as much in the dark as you are about this Spike." Spike didn't need to look at the man to hear the trepidation for Buffy in his voice.

"Well after you." He gestured Angel forward for the short run to the front doors of the hotel.
chapter 26 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hey all sorry haven't updated sooner but you know yada yada yada. Anyway thanks to all of you who have reviewed and thanks to everyone who is still reading. Please let me know what you think.
She knew that staring with her mouth slightly hanging open was not projecting the image of the Slayer she so commonly wore. It was beyond her control however. The sight of the man who was now coming through the doorway was so unexpected that she felt as if she was hallucinating.

Blinking hard she tried to reconcile what she was seeing with her brain. Nothing was making sense right at the moment and she could feel her world tilt further on it's axis.

The figure in front of her was so familiar. Two years of intimate knowledge combined with the surreal feeling of seeing him here. Not much had changed about him the familiar color of his hair or the broadness of his shoulders. The scar that now marred his face familiar from his last visit while she had been battling her return from the grave.

When the silence continued she couldn't think of words to say.

The sound of Faith faintly clearing her throat brought her to her senses.

"I told you that you wouldn't believe me." The words were whispered not even loud enough for the men in the room to hear but Buffy heard them clearly.

And she was right. There was no way that had the words past Faith's lips before this moment would she believe who was responsible for all of this.

"Riley?"

She hated the quiver in her voice. It screamed of the uncertainty of her feelings, projected an image that she wasn't in control. True at this moment hanging from a set of chains she had no way of breaking she technically wasn't in control of the situation she was in. But she could still control her responses her own emotions in spite of what was going on around her. And as long as she had that she wasn't going to let the feeling of hopelessness consume her.

His head tilted quizzically at her a gesture she had never seen him use before. The bigger man's eyes seemed to lose focus for a moment before refocusing on her.

"Ah yes the name of the shell." He said the words absently and she had to turn a puzzled and angry look at Ethan.

"What the hell have you done to him you asshole?"

"Nothing at all. You see he's just realized his higher potential so to speak."

"Enough talk. You have delivered what you had promised human. I will honor our deal." Riley's voice sounded strange to Buffy almost like there was an echo behind it. She shrugged the thought off.

"Riley what happened to you? Why are you doing this?"

He turned empty eyes on her and ignored her words.

"Is everything prepared?" His hollow voice was straining Buffy's nerves her lack of understanding making her want to lash out.

"Don't you dare ignore me you jerk! What the hell do you think you're doing?" She pulled futilely against the chains again.

This time he turned not only his eyes on her but the rest of his body. She watched him take a few steps forward and in the background heard the sharp intake of breath from Faith. He stopped not three feet in front of her before tilting his head at her again as if studying her intently.

"You feel something for this shell do you not?"

His words were peculiar and though it hadn't sunk in before now she could feel it with his closeness. Power. It radiated off of him in almost visible waves. Power deeper and darker then she had felt except for two different occasions. When she was fighting Glory and the First. A power that was old and strong something only found in the eldest of her enemies. Power that was only found in Gods.

The realization hit her then. This was not Riley Finn. This wasn't the man that she had dated for the better part of two years who knew her intimately if not well when they had been together. The man she had cared for was no longer in the body in front of her.

She took a trembling breath before she spoke.

"What are you?"

************

Both Angel and Spike had made it to the covered front door an impassive looks on their faces. It was times like this that Spike was glad that he wasn't human. There was no rush of blood or elevated pulse or even frantic breathing to give away his state of nervousness. Not for what they were about to do. But what his mate could possibly be going through right now.

He and Angel had done something similar to this enough times to have not only the facial expressions but the air of confidence to pull this off. It was a bold move just walking into the enemies lair but Spike wasn't one who ever thought out his plans. He would be damned all over again if he started now. Instead they didn't give the guards a second glance and pushed their way through the door. Both quickly vamped as they noticed the other demons in the room had hidden their human features.

Yellow eyes blazed at each other as communicated silently making their way through the throng of demons following the scent of Slayer that drifted through the air.

**********

"Pitiful human why do you speak to me? I have no time for your insignificant words."

She knew her eyes were flashing with her anger but she had a hard time containing it.

"Full of yourself much? If you think you're so big and bad why don't you untie us. Or are you afraid?" Her challenging tone didn't seem to register to the thing in front of her. At least there was no change in its expression.

"Really do you mind? We have important things to attend to. All this posturing is really unnecessary." Ethan stated as he once again approached the bound pair.

"Important like what?" Faith asked. "You planning on growing a pair or something? Or you just gonna hide behind big and burly here?"

If there was one thing she had liked about Faith it was the fact that she could and would quip. The distracting technique was not a traditional Slayer tool but it was effective.

Buffy watched as Ethan lost the cool exterior for a moment. It seemed as though whatever was in Riley's body wouldn't be affected by her words but Ethan wasn't as invulnerable.

"As scintillating as this conversation is I believe we should be ready to begin now." Ethan's words were directed at the hulk in front of Buffy. With a slight nod she noticed a couple of vamps in the background turn and leave.

"And what exactly are you going to begin?"

Buffy watched silently as Ethan began to empty a pouch of fine rose colored sand on the ground in a wide circle.

"You should be honored my dear. The body of your late ex is now home to one of the most powerful demon gods to have roamed our tiny little planet. Buffy, Faith may I introduce you to your new lord Holgolrath." As he finished pouring the sand he leveled his gaze at them.

"Is that name supposed to mean something to us?" Faith raised an eyebrow in disbelief to the Brit.

"Yeah cuz I'm gettin' zilch. Maybe he was a player before?" Buffy played off of Faith her own eyebrow going up.

"Don't know about that B. Mean can't be too powerful if he had to settle into the body of a soldier. Least he could have done was go for someone more powerful."

"Maybe he thought it would be too clichéd I mean aren't you getting the Bond vibes already?"

"Yep. Just waiting for the guy to tell us what they have planned."

"Enough already." Ethan huffed. "How Ripper put up with this childishness I will never understand." He mumbled quietly.

Only it was loud enough for Buffy to make out.

"Oh he used lots of scotch trust me. So are you going to tell us why you've got us just hanging around or not?" She could feel the tension rolling in the pit of her stomach. The distant look in what used to be Riley's eyes was disturbing to say the least.

"Ah so you're waiting for the exposition then? Very well. Holgolrath here was a powerful demon king when they freely roamed the earth. But as powerful as he was he was only one member of a group of three that ruled the planet. Seeing as he now inhabits the body of your former paramour our King has expressed a desire to be reunited with his brethren."

Buffy held in the gasp as she caught on to where this was uncomfortably heading.

Faith though wasn't so sure what was going on.

"And your going to what reach out and touch someone?"

"In a manner of speaking my dear. You see any of the demons contained in the deeper well are now without substance. They are broken down into the basic elements of themselves. So in order for us to recreate the reunion of these three we needed two volunteers."

"And let me guess Faith and I just took a giant step forward. No thanks so not interested."

"Did I say volunteers? Ah forgive that little slip. We just need for the both of you to be present. The rest will take care of itself. Now since I've finished the circle we'll get going shall we?"

********

Spike took a cautious look over to Angel as they closed on the thin hallway where the scent of his mate seemed to drift to him. They were walking with purposeful strides the no nonsense looks their demons were projecting had younger vamps scurrying out of the way. They said not a word just walking steadily closing on their goal.

"Hey where do you think you two are going?" The growl came from a spot slightly to the left and behind them. They choose to ignore it silent communication they hadn't shared in a century falling back into place.

This time a hand dropped down onto Angel's shoulder and he stiffened even when he came to a stop.

Together they turned around silently to look up at the seven foot Demon before them.

"I asked you a question half breed." The demon sneered and rows of diamond sharp teeth peeked out from behind his blue gums.

Spike's eyes moved away from that awful leer to take in the curious eyes that were focused on the two of them.

Taking a gamble Angel smiled. Not a nice smile but one he had only used when he was his alter ego. One filled with cruelty and was evil through and through.

"Any where we damn well please." Angel spat at the demon who had lost his own smile in the face of his.

"I don't take kindly to a lower species disrespecting me."

"Lucky for you that were so much superior than huh?" Spike couldn't help but snark.

The flash in the demons unearthly green eyes made both vampires tense imperceptibly. From where they were standing a fight seemed imminent but they didn't have the time for it. They needed to get to Buffy and Faith and get the hell out of there.

"Look we're just headed down the hall to find a place to crash 'til it gets dark no biggie." Angel tried to pacify the now pissed off demon.

The demon narrowed its eyes that were filled not only with anger but flashed with suspicion as well.

As it took a step forward a few of the others had totally stopped in their tracks to observe the trio.

"No one is allowed down that hall." It didn't need to say that they should have known that.

"No harm no foul right mate. Mean we stopped right here and all. Why don't you point out where we can tuck ourselves in?" Spike said in his most charming voice.

There was no space between the three of them now as it had moved closer while Spike had been speaking.

"Sure why don't I take you to the boss and he can straighten you out."

Maybe it was the tone of his voice or maybe it was his body language but Angel and Spike didn't need to talk about it before deciding that their cover was probably shot to shit.

Shrugging Spike looked between his Grandsire and the lumbering thing towering over them before striking his fist out and striking it full on in the stomach all of his force behind his fist.

As it began to double over from not only the surprise but the pain of the hit he turned to Angel and yelled.

"RUN!"
chapter 27 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Okay that was an obscenely amount of time between posts I know. I apologize. Thanks to everyone who is still reading this one and thanks to everyone who has left a review.
Buffy watched warily as two different demons came in the room and walked to Faith. She knew that the other Slayer was still too out of it to try to take both of them on and was helpless to watch as they took her out of the restraints and held her in the circle.

So engrossed was she that she failed to notice the now hulking Holgolrath step closer to her. The movement of his hands was caught out of the corner of her eye as he reached for her own bindings. Unlike Faith she was uninjured and she figured if she could get a few good hits in on the one holding her she should be able to rush the two holding Faith before rushing them the hell out of there.

As plans went it sucked of course but she was willing to improvise.

She waited until they were almost in the circle before bringing her head back to smash in the demon God's nose. The force of the blow brought a few stars to her eyes but the grip on her loosened and she spun around slamming her fist into his nose again.

Instead of the shout of pain she expected or the blood that should have spurted from a broken nose or even the slight movement of her impact she looked at the thing in Riley's body as it slowly blinked at her.

The next thing she knew she was on the other side of the room the soon to be bruise pounding in her jaw.

Okay so maybe it wasn't a good idea at all.

"You seem unable to grasp the situation." Ethan spoke from the circle.

Holgolrath was standing over her now and she knew that the moment was gone. His large hand grabbed her by the collar of her shirt and lifted her off of the floor. All right she was willing to admit she may have underestimated this thing.

Dangling off the floor she kicked her legs and tried to hit him with her fists but her size gave her a distinct disadvantage with the bulkier foe. Instead she looked more like a little kid that a bully was picking on. He was walking her back towards the circle and she could see Ethan begin to chant.

*********

Spike tried to block out the sound of the now mob behind them. They were grossly outnumbered and the thought of stopping was something he couldn't even consider. Instead he focused on running towards the scent of his mate and the other Slayer.
Their footsteps pounded through the narrow hallway vamp speed not an advantage over other demons. Instead he and Angel barely held on to the slight lead they had.

Door after door seemed to flash past them but Spike paid them no mind. Instead he grasped onto the sudden bolt of fear from his mate that slipped its way through the claim. With that he opened himself up to her letting her feel him letting her know that he was with her in anything she was facing.

Only seconds had passed but to him it felt like a lifetime before they reached the last door and flung themselves against it.

********

Buffy's eyes nearly bugged out of her head when she received the flood of emotions from her mate. Her breath hitched and she knew that he was near. It wasn't just the claim. She could feel him. That singular signature that screamed Spike.

The door crashed open and she felt herself spin in Holgalrath's grip as he turned to face the two vamps.

Spike growled low in his throat as he took in the scene before him. Faith was being held firmly by two demons and his Buffy was being held in the air by what appeared to be the overgrown brute.

But it was the face of the man holding her that shocked him.

"Oi! Let her go you over grown Boy Scout!"

He never stopped running the sight of his mate being handled so combined with the thunder of the demons that were pursuing them kept that from happening. Instead he headed straight for the shit head who made his unlife hell for the better part of two years.

"Spike no!" Buffy tried to stop him but he was moving too fast for the warning to do any good. She was helpless to watch as he was stopped in his tracks with one punch from Holgolrath.

The impact sent him spiraling away and down towards the floor.

To Buffy time seemed to slow down as Spike started his fall towards the floor. Holgolrath had started to back up and into the circle and Ethan had begun to chant again since he had stopped in surprise at Spike's entrance. She glanced up and finally caught sight of Angel who had come in right behind Spike but hadn't rushed in to attack. He moved forward again this time going for Ethan a look of determination on his face. As he lunged for the warlock the room seemed to fill with the sound of pounding feet and her eyes were transfixed as the hall seemed to nearly explode with demons.

"STOP."

The demon God's echoey voice made every thing seem to freeze.

Everyone but Spike that is. He struggled to his feet his sole focus being the woman across the room from him.

"I said put her down mate." The snarl in his voice did not go unnoticed by Buffy and as much as she loved him she hoped he wouldn't do something stupid.

He tensed when Riley's hand seemed to tighten on her collar and he watched her kicks get a bit weaker from the continued effort. It didn't seem to faze the man though.

"As much as I love chaos this is just getting bloody ridiculous."

The sound of Ethan's voice drew Spike's attention and he glanced over at the man.

Buffy continued to struggle against the demon's grip her hands clawing at the one holding her collar. She twisted herself a bit more before kicking out with her foot and this time was rewarded by it making contact. It didn't seem to cause him any pain of any sort but he threw her towards the circle. She impacted hard right into Ethan and one of the demon's holding onto Faith. As they went down she sensed the other Slayer spin away from her captor and kick him.

With their movement and Buffy being free from the hulk in the room both Spike and Angel launched themselves at them.

Red need a little help here.

Spike sent out the silent call as he caught the door in the corner of his eye. The other demons were beginning to squeeze into the room with them.

Okay just stay away from the door.

Her answer came back immediately but he didn't have the time to wonder what she meant by the warning. Instead he was reaching out with his fist as Angel kicked out at Riley.

And while both hits connected solidly with the figure in the room the only thing that happened was that he took a step back to regain his balance.

Both vampires exchanged a look of disbelief before a backhand sent Angel sprawling against the wall. Spike had little time to register it before he was forced to duck away from another swing.

Buffy didn't bother to get to her feet instead she just rolled and punched the demon she had landed on before trying to get her hands around the monsters ridiculously huge head. Twisting quickly she was rewarded with the loud crack of its neck breaking.

She gathered herself up and took in the sight of her next target. Not a demon but a man. One that had caused just about as much trouble as she was willing to put up with. Tensing her muscles to move forward she was immediately caught with the look in his eyes.

"I think not my dear." Was all he mumbled before a quiet chanting left his lips and she couldn't move.

Spike and Angel had managed to get back on their feet Spike charging first once again. This time Riley snatched him up and threw him into the charging Angel making sure they both went painfully down.

Suddenly the room filled with light the source of which seemed to come from behind them. Turning Angel and Spike gaped from their spot on the floor at the now open portal. It closed just as suddenly as it opened with a gentle swishing sound. Behind the door stood.... nothing. They were gone. The whole herd of demons had just vanished in front of their eyes.

Buffy was just as stunned as the other two but now as Faith continued to fight the remaining demon she struggled against her magical imprisonment.

"Spike!"

The sound of her voice yelling his name drew his attention once more before his gaze swung to the man in front of him. He growled low in his throat pulling himself into a low crouch. He wasn't sure what had happened but the wanker had never been this strong before. It didn't matter though he was going to take care of the idiot once and for all.

Buffy was helpless to move so she had no choice but to watch. Watch as Faith finally finished off the demon she was fighting. Watched as Angel got to his feet and mimicked Spike's stance. Watched as the furry and intent flashed in her mate's eyes.

This was not going to be pretty she was sure of it.

"Ethan! Let. Me. Go." She said the words with fierce determination and a small growl.

The words were out of her mouth as the three supernatural beings ran at the God. Spike and Angel came from the left and the right striking out with their fists while Faith came from behind. Unfazed Holgolrath used a vicious roundhouse sending both males flying back against the wall. As he finished coming around he grabbed Faith before she was able to react around the throat. Buffy watched as the pressure on the other Slayer's neck increased and her eyes bulged.

Watched as the two men shook their heads to try and clear them from the blow and try to stagger to their feet. Watched as Faith started to black out from the lack of air.

She could feel her muscles straining against her forced immobility. Buffy wasn't making any headway and she was starting to feel a bit of panic filter into her system. As Faith's eyes started to roll up into her head Buffy seethed with her frustration.

"Guys! Do something!" Of course she didn't know what they could do seeing as how they were all just knocked around without any effort.

Spike looked up at his Slayer her face plainly showing her anger and frustration. He could see the muscles in her neck straining with her effort to move. He looked back at Faith and watched as she finally lost consciousness.

Gathering himself once more and trying not to flinch at the pain the movement was bringing his bruised ribs Spike reached over and helped Angel get to his feet as well. He felt the other vamp stumble rather than saw it and he glanced quickly over at him. His grandsire looked a bit worse for wear a huge streak of blood across his forehead the end of which was dripping down his face.

Holgolrath had reached the circle and easily let go of Faith her body falling hard to the floor. He came to stand next to Buffy and put a hand on her shoulder.

"We have wasted enough time." His words were directed to Ethan but his eyes never left the two vampires.

The low rhythmic chanting of Ethan's voice began again and Buffy fought against the rise of sheer panic she was feeling. There was nothing she hated more then feeling helpless and she was the definition of helpless right at the moment. Unable to move she could do nothing to halt the progress of the spell or check on Faith.

Spike fought the wave of dizziness he was feeling and started forward dragging Angel right alongside him. He could make out the words Rayne was using even though they were mumbled low. It didn't take him long to recognize that it was a spell. Nor did it take him long to realize the others were all standing in a circle. None of which was good in his book. Instead he picked up his pace and began to run towards them.

Buffy looked over at Spike as he began to run dragging Angel towards them. There was a bright white light starting to flare from the sand of the circle and she found she was holding her breath. Whatever it was that they were trying to accomplish it had started.

He watched the flare of light that came from the circle and instinctively knew that there was no time left. Instead he launched himself at the circle hand still not letting go of Angel's arm the force sending him sprawling towards the four occupants of the magical construction.

The crack of ozone in the air and the change of atmosphere assaulted his senses as they crossed over the line and into the direct path of the magic Ethan was summoning.

Suddenly the white light flashed brightly in the room before everything went dark.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=11502