Further English Adventures - In Days of Old by LoobyLoo
Summary: Roughly set about 8 months after the last fic
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 29795 Read: 20679 Published: 07/05/2005 Updated: 03/15/2006

1. Chapter 1 by LoobyLoo

2. Chapter 2 by LoobyLoo

3. Chapter 3 by LoobyLoo

4. Chapter 4 by LoobyLoo

5. Chapter 5 by LoobyLoo

6. Chapter 6 by LoobyLoo

7. Chapter 7 by LoobyLoo

8. Chapter 8 by LoobyLoo

9. Chapter 9 by LoobyLoo

10. Chapter 10 by LoobyLoo

11. chapter 11 by LoobyLoo

12. Chapter 12 by LoobyLoo

13. Chapter 13 by LoobyLoo

14. Chapter 14 by LoobyLoo

15. Chapter 15 by LoobyLoo

16. chapter 16 by LoobyLoo

Chapter 1 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thankyou all for the wonderful feedback and emails i've had, it inspires me to write!
Further English Adventures – In Days of Old………

A story continuing in the English Adventure series
By LoobyLoo
Disclaimer – I own nothing and nobody, this is just for fun
Rating will eventually be NC17



Chapter 1

Buffy poured milk onto Izzie’s cereal, and she smiled and listened to it as it snapped, crackled and popped.

Spike poured more tea, and Buffy spread her one piece of thin toast with low fat spread…

“Is that all your having? – Aren’t you going to have some of Sam’s yummy thick pork sausages and smoked bacon?”

Spike asked frowning, before tucking into his grilled bacon and tomatoes, sausages, and scrambled eggs with gusto.

“Well if Willow’s coming to stay – it’ll be cooked breakfasts, cream teas, Cornish pasties, fish and chips…I thought I better cut down now!” Buffy said, then she turned her head and called her son.

“Billy! Come on love, your boiled egg is getting cold – she turned to Spike and said with a grin, I suppose he has his nose in a book, as usual!”

“Don’t knock it!” Spike said, grinning

“Coming mom!”

Billy came downstairs holding a book, which he placed on the table.

“No reading at the table Billy! – What are you reading now?………Blackmore Hall, what is this a guide book?” Buffy picked it up and began leafing through it.

Billy ‘topped’ his egg and dipped a toast ‘soldier’ into the soft runny yolk. When he’d finished eating his first bite, he said,

“It’s very interesting – did you know, that when people weren’t allowed to be Roman Catholic anymore during the reign of Henry the VIII, they had to worship in secret, and tiny secret passages were built into the houses, called ‘priest holes’ for them to hide in?”

Buffy smiled and said,

“Did they really!”

“Yes! Hmm…who laid this egg mommy, was it Ginger?”

“Yes darling, it was from your favourite hen, Ginger – when you’ve finished you can help me feed and clean them out”

“Okay…has the post come yet?” As if on cue, the letterbox flapped and Spike got up to fetch the mail.

“Hmm, three for me…one for you darling…and one for you Billy!” Spike handed out the letters.

“Great, it’s my free guide of stately homes from the Heritage Trust”

Spike smiled at his son and tore open one of his own letters

“Have I got one daddy?” Izzie piped up

“Yes darling, here you go, you can have this one, the contents of this letter maybe worth £50,000 in prize money…” He gave his daughter the junk mail envelope to open.

Buffy looked up and said,

“It’s from Willow, she said she’ll be coming to England on the 8th, but she’ll be staying in Oxford for a few days first, then she’ll come to us on the 12th for two weeks”

“Oh great, Auntie Willow is staying!”

“Well today is the 5th, I tell you what, when I get back from playing squash with Sam this afternoon, I’ll shift my computer into our bedroom and that’ll give you plenty of time to get the room ready for her, okay?”

“Thanks love………she says here she’ll phone me so we can give her instructions on how to get here”

“I can always pick her up from the station” Spike finished the last of his tea.

“Nuh uh, not the 12th, you have that Creative Writing talk to give to the ladies at the Women’s Institute” Buffy reminded him

“Oh god yes – I completely forgot about that!”

“Don’t worry, Sam can pick her up”

“Good, I wonder what we’d do without that guy sometimes!”

****************

Buffy was talking to Willow on the phone………

“………Honestly, there’s no need to write anything down, just get the train to Fordington”

“But what if I forget and go passed the station!”

“Don’t be silly, you’d hit the buffers, it’s the end of the line!”

“Oh, right, then what?”

“Then, you come out of the tiny little station, and directly in front of you, across the lane, you’ll see the village shop, go in, there’ll be a lovely big very friendly lady called Peggy in there, she’s always smiling and happy, just tell her who you are and she’ll get her nephew Sam to bring you up here”

“Really, I could just as easy get a taxi!”

“Will, he IS the taxi – he’s Spike’s best friend, and the shop assistant, handyman, fisherman, delivery driver, and he keeps a few pigs for fattening up and then he makes the best bacon and sausages you’ve ever tasted, he’ll bring the groceries I’ve ordered too.”

“Right…”

“He’s even been known to come and give Spike a start on a cold morning!”

“I beg your pardon?!!!”

“When the car wouldn’t start! He’s got out the jump-leads!”

“I was going to say! – Anyway, any idea of the train times, I’m getting the 7.20am Oxford to Exeter train, then the 11.35am Exeter to Fordington?”

“There are only two trains a day Will, one is at 1.30pm, the next is 5.30, you should get the 1.30pm one fine”

“Okay then, well, I’ve just got a little last minute packing to do…um, what size chest did you say Izzie was?”

“Willow, you have them spoiled enough!”

“Oh shush – I have to spoil my god-children, it’s tradition!”

“Actually, I’m not sure, but an age 4-5 fits her fine”

“And Billy still loves reading, I take it!”

“Does he – not fiction though, Xander sent him Harry Potter for Christmas, and I’m ashamed to say it’s been ME reading it – but he loves history, kings and queens, what he doesn’t know about the Tudor’s isn’t worth knowing – he’s genius! – He must get it from Spike!”

Willow laughed and they said their goodbyes until the following day.

*****************

Standing outside the tiny station at Fordington, Willow saw the village shop as Buffy said.

She went over and inside, where a rather large lady greeted her with a smile and said,

“Good afternoon my dear, now don’t tell me, you’re Willow, Buffy’s friend”

Willow smiled and said

“Yes! – Did she tell you?”

“She did my dear, and I’m Peggy, very pleased to meet you - now I’ve got the groceries Buffy ordered, I just want to………there - just a couple of out of date comics for the children, and some of my homemade rum-truffles for Spike, my treat!” She winked at Willow and tucked them safely down the side of the bag.

“I’ll just go call - Oh, there you are Sam, I was just going to call you!”

“Heard the train arrive – so, you’re Willow then, I’m Sam, pleased to meet you – well come through, I’ve put a clean blanket on the seat so not to mark your jeans”

Willow saw a tall, very good looking thick-set guy with a mop of blond streaked curls wearing jeans and a faded sweatshirt, he had piercing blue eyes and a ready grin.

“Don’t forget the groceries Sam, and tell Buffy we can settle up next week – oh, and don’t forget to get the eggs off her” Peggy said

“Will do!” Sam put Willow’s cases and Buffy’s groceries in the back of the van, and made sure Willow was safely belted in the front seat.

“Right then…so Buffy tells me you’ve been in France at university”

“Um, oh yes!”

Ten minutes later they pulled up outside the cottage, and Willow got her first look. The children ran out to greet her while Sam took the groceries into the kitchen. He saw two-dozen eggs on a tray on the kitchen table

Buffy and Willow hugged and came inside grinning

“These are the eggs for Aunty Peg then?”

“Yes, how much do I owe her – I’ll get my purse”

“No need, she said you can settle up next week – how much do you want for the eggs?”

“Oh, don’t worry, I’ll sort it with her on Tuesday then”

“Hello Sam!”

“Hello young Billy…what are reading?”

“About Blackmore Hall, it’s fascinating”

Izzie ran up to Sam, who scooped her up

“Sam!”

“Hello Bubbles, have you been a good girl for your mum, huh?” Izzie nodded

“Is that right mum, has she been a good girl?”

Buffy smiled and said,

“Oh, I think so”

“Okay then (he put her down and held out two fists to her) which hand is it in?”

Izzie smacked Sam’s left hand, and Sam opened it to reveal it was empty, but then he pretended to pull a £1 coin from behind her ear with his right hand

“There you go, put it in your money box! – And you Billy” he handed Billy a £1 coin too.

“Thanks Sam!”

“Izzie, what do you say?” Buffy prompted

“Thankyou Sam”

“There’s a good girl!” he fondly ruffled her curls and both children went to put the money away for safekeeping.

“Spike about?”

“No, he’s in Barnstaple giving a lecture to the WI”

“Oh yes, he did say, I forgot – tell him I’ll pick him up Sunday afternoon for cricket practice – oh, and I’m going fishing and setting up the lobster pots tomorrow, want any?”

“Ooh yeah, what ever you can spare, lobster or crab”

“Okay then, well, I better be off, I’m trying out a new recipe for my sausages, I’m doing something a bit spicy for the barbecue”

“Willing guinea-pigs here!” Buffy said and waved him off.

“Right, I’ll put the kettle on, and we can catch up with the gossip!”
Chapter 2 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 2

It took Buffy half an hour and two cups of tea to tell Willow all about the exorcism…

“………Goddess! – I must have been awful for you – those poor babies and that woman!”

“That isn’t all – I mean, Giles was a god-send, bringing the that priest monk and all, when it was all over I ran upstairs…Billy he…” Buffy’s eyes flooded with tears at the memory, and Willow sat forward in her chair and reached for her friend’s hand, Buffy composed herself and continued,

“I ran into the bedroom where Spike was with the children…in the corner we could see this golden sparkling light…it…” She faltered up again and trying to smile through her tears she said,

“It was mom…she came to take Tilly and the baby into the light, Billy said she sent all her love and she watches over us” Willow’s eyes too flooded with tears and she squeezed her friend’s hand

“Baby, I’m home!” the sound of the front door shutting and Spike strode into the sitting room. Buffy quickly wiped her eyes and called out,

“In here babe!”

“Hey Willow – you made it then!” Spike put his folders and briefcase down on the dining table and came over and gave Willow a hug.

“Look at you – the French air obviously agreed with you, you look fantastic!”

“So do you – and I can’t believe how much the children have grown!”

“Anyone for fresh tea?” Spike called out from heading towards the kitchen. He saw the still packed groceries and after filling and putting the kettle on, he began to unpack.

Buffy came into the kitchen to see Spike dreamily put one of the rum truffles into his mouth.

“Hey – are those rum truffles – I didn’t order those! Honestly, Peggy spoils you!”

Spike grinned as he chewed and said,

“I know…but she loves me, and god they are delicious!”

“Don’t spoil your dinner!”

“What are we having?”

“I don’t know – what are you going to cook?” Buffy asked taking two packets of homemade scones out of the bag.

“I should have done this earlier, I forgot about the clotted cream” Buffy said putting the carton into the fridge.

“Hmm, did I hear the words clotted and cream?” Willow asked grinning, bringing the empty teacups into the kitchen.

“For tomorrow! The children want to have a picnic for their aunty Willow in the garden, then I thought we could either go on the little steam train to Cockington, or if it’s not too breezy we could go to Lymebay beach”

“Speaking of the children, where are they?” Spike asked

“Billy’s doing his lessons on the computer, and Izzie’s having a nap – and you were just about to tell us what you’re cooking for dinner!”

Buffy said slipping a couple of pounds of Sam’s homemade pork sausages and home-smoked bacon into the fridge.

“You cook as well huh – my goodness!” Willow looked suitably impressed

“Any like or dislikes – any no goes, I mean I know you were bought up Jewish”

“Hey – I love pork and shellfish don’t worry, although I think I’d draw the line at whelks, cockles and oysters though!”

“Do you like pasta?”

“Love it!”

“Right, a lasagne al forno with a rich meaty sauce…followed by strawberry trifle I think!”

“Wow – okay ‘Jamie Oliver’ – can’t wait!”

Just then, Billy’s voice could be heard from upstairs…

“Dad…can you help me with my math, I’m stuck”

Willow smiled and said,

“Tell you what, as you’re cooking, shall I see if I can help?”

Spike smiled and nodded

“Can I help Billy?” Willow asked going to the foot of the stairs

“Yes of course…can you do calculus and algebra”

“Calculus and algebra, well yes…wow, the kids not 7 yet, and he’s doing…” Willow said incredulously.

“What can I tell you – the work books he’s on are for 13-14 year olds!” Spike said proudly, and Willow went off to help.

Buffy turned from putting a new pot of Peggy’s raspberry jam in the cupboard to find herself being cuddled up by Spike.

“Been talking about your mum pet?” Buffy nodded and snuggled into his strong chest, and asked,

“How did you know?”

“Coz you look a little watery around the eyes pet, but it doesn’t need Einstein to work it out that you and Will have been playing catch up. You okay kitten?”

Spike kissed her forehead and Buffy nodded…then he heard the rustling of cellophane and quickly pushed Buffy away from him, but not before Buffy had quickly pinched and popped one of his rum truffles into her mouth!

“Oi – cheeky those are mine!” He began to tickle her until a sleepy voice said to them,

“Daddy, I want a drink!” He turned and scooped up his daughter, who was rubbing her eyes.

“Do you princess – come on then…lets see what we’ve got shall we”

“I’ll take Will’s cases up, she can unpack after she’s finished helping Billy”


********************

“More trifle Will?”

“Oh goddess, I couldn’t eat another mouthful – it was absolutely delicious though! I’ll have to be careful at this rate my skinny jeans won’t fit me by next week!”

Spike grinned and stood, began to stack plates

“You sit, I’ll do the dishes…coffee anyone?” Buffy stood and went to get the coffee pot

“Please…so, Billy what shall we do tomorrow, hmm?” Willow asked

“Well, mom said a picnic in the garden, then I vote the beach – rock-pools are great fun…but I like the little train too”

“Well if it’s nice, go to the beach tomorrow, then on the train on Sunday, they have that street market in Cockington on Sunday, and the collectors and antiques fair in the Guild Hall – then we could all go to Sunday lunch at the Duke of York, they do a fantastic roast beef and Yorkshire pudding” Spike suggested

Willow was grinning.

“Great, but don’t forget you’re playing cricket on Sunday, Sam said he’d pick you up” Buffy said, pouring coffee for Spike and Willow.

“Yeah I know, but that’s not until 5.30pm, it’s only nets practice anyway – what?”

Spike saw Willow’s face, he too grinned and again he said,

“What?”

“You! This – the cottage with roses around the door, cricket on the lawn, Sunday lunches in the pub – how quintessentially English!”

“But I AM English!” Spike said laughing

Willow still grinning shook her head, she didn’t want to say too much in front of Billy – she wanted to say, million miles away from the ‘Big Bad’ Spike, his leather duster and his Desoto…it was a life-time ago.

“Can we go to Blackmore Hall one day next week – it’s open to the public” Billy asked, looking at his dad.

“That’s a great idea – go get that guide book son, and I’ll have a look”

Billy got down from the table and scooted off upstairs to get the said book.

While Billy was gone, Willow asked,

“So…this Sam, have a girlfriend does he?” Both Spike and Buffy looked at Willow and smiled

“Just asking, you know…he looks all kinds of salty goodness!” Buffy’s eyes went round and she laughed out

“WILLOW!”

“What? – Just asking, no crime in that, is there?”

“No, but well…I thought your interests……… lay elsewhere”

“Hey, variety is the spice of life!” Everybody grinned!

“Well – won’t deny he’s popular with the local girls, what few there are”

“And you, I’ve seen them eyeing you up in the pub!” Buffy said grinning

“Ah, but they know I’m taken – and nobody can come close to my little blonde goddess!” Spike slipped his arm around Buffy’s waist, and she kissed the top of his head.

“Want me to invite him along on Sunday then?”

“Yeah – could have some fun!”

“Here you are dad, I’ve opened it at the opening times page for you” Billy handed his father the book

There was a knock at the door and Buffy frowned

“Who could this be at this hour?”

Spike got up and answered it, and brought in a smiling Sam

“Aunty forgot to put the bread in your order – here you go, still warm, she baked fresh for you” Sam handed over two huge crusty white loaves.

Buffy pulled out the chair she’d been sitting in next to Willow and said,

“We were just talking about you Sam, sit down, coffee – glass of wine?”

“Wine’ll do great – so what have I done now, huh?”

“Nothing! We were going to invite you out to Cockington on Sunday, go on the train, have a rummage around the collectors fairs and the market, then lunch at the Duke, you’d be back in time for nets”

Sam accepted the glass of wine and sipped, then put it on the table

“Actually Spike, I think nets are off”

“Oh, why?”

“Well Dave is organising his wheat harvest, Colin is out at his grand-daughter’s Christening, Barry’s caught chicken pox off his nipper, and Mick’s doing as much overtime as he can to pay for his very expensive wedding – and Eddie’s twisted his knee doing his amateur dramatics – they’re doing ‘Grease’ he landed awkwardly when he jumped off the hood of the car during ‘Greased Lightening’!”

Spike snorted a giggle and said,

“Silly sod! How old is he - so, whaddya say then mate, come with us?” Sam looked straight at Willow as he sipped his wine and said,

“Sure, sounds like a very enjoyable way spend a Sunday, although I can’t leave before 10.30am, I have to do the newspapers in the shop, Sunday is the only day Aunty gets a lie-in”


“That’s fine, by the time we’ve got up and got the children ready, we’ll be ready when you come”

“Shall we all go in my van, I can park it at the station?”

“Great – I’ll book us a table at the pub, it gets really busy and I’d hate for us to be disappointed” Buffy said.

Everything was arranged and Sam left, not before Buffy and Spike noticed that neither he nor Willow could hardly keep their eyes off each other………
Chapter 3 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 3


“Will you make the tea now mom, everything else is ready!” Billy asked

“Okay, kettle’s on, do you want to call her?”

Willow came downstairs and went straight out into the garden.

“I hope you like it – we’ve got egg and cress, ham or cheese sandwiches, aunty Peggy’s scones with jam and clotted cream, and a pot of tea” Billy announced, holding out a chair

“Sounds absolutely yummy! Willow said, taking a seat.

Having made the tea, Buffy bought it out on the tray and they all sat down in the afternoon sun – it was quite warm for early June.

Willow was occupied with Billy, he showed her all the birds he’d seen in the garden, via his note and garden bird book Giles had bought him, and little Izzie wasn’t to be out-done, she chatted away about the dozen hens they kept and their big brown speckled eggs, and wild ducks at the bottom of the garden in the stream…

After eating their fill, Willow settled back in her chair comfortably.

“I love it here, it’s so peaceful. I mean, I thought Giles’ place was quiet, but this is sublime!”

Buffy smiled and said,

“Yeah…got my dream come true!”

“Hello…hello-ooo!”

“In the garden Sam!” Buffy called out, and the back gate to the garden opened.

“Hi – what brings you here – not that you’re not welcome that is!” Buffy said, looking from Sam to Willow…

“Thought I’d bring you these, there you go – four of the best Devonian lobsters you’ll find – that’s twenty quid of anybody’s money in a fancy restaurant, each!”

Buffy could see four big blue lobsters in a huge bucket, climbing over each other.

“Great, hold on, SPIKE – SAM’S HERE!” Spike’s head appeared through an open upstairs window, he grinned and came down.

“What we got then – ooh, four, well guess that’s one each, come to supper Sam?”

“What, tonight?”

“Yeah, I’ll do theses babies either ‘Thermidor’, with white wine and cheese, or grilled with garlic butter” Spike said, looking into the bucket

“Hmm, slap on some parsley and garlic butter, and you’ve got yourself one more for supper!”

“Good – how much do we owe you?”

“Ah, f’get it, I’ll bring a decent bottle too, about nine be okay?”

“Fine – the children will be in bed by then”

*****************


The conversation at dinner flowed as easily as the wine, but Buffy, Spike and Willow had to limit their stories, obviously nothing could be said about their pasts as a witch, the slayer and a vampire in front of Sam………

“………So, the scope of MY French was, ‘the cow can touch me from Tuesday!” Buffy said

Everyone laughed, and Sam looked at his watch, it was gone midnight.

“Well, hate to be a kill-joy, but I better be making a move, I’ve got to be up for the newspapers in the morning…I’ll be here about a quarter to eleven, will that be okay?”

“Fine, the train leaves at midday, that’ll give us plenty of time to get there” Buffy said

Sam stood, and Willow looked up at him and said,

“So, going to show me this star you navigate by then – when you’re out night-fishing?”

“Sure, follow me!” Sam took hold of Willow’s hand and led her out into the front garden…

Buffy casually glanced out at them as she ferried dirty crockery to the kitchen, and at first she saw Sam pointing to the heavens and Willow dutifully looking up…and by the time she took the condiments off the table, she could see the two of them in a passionate clinch!

“Fast cat, poor Sam didn’t stand a chance!” Spike said grinning, as he folded the tablecloth

Buffy grinned and said,

“Well, you know what they say, it’s the quiet ones you’ve got to watch!”

When Willow came back inside, Buffy nor Spike could keep the smiles off their faces.

“Fast cat, hope you were gentle with him!” Spike teased, making Willow go red and giggle.

“Stop! – He seems like a really nice guy, and that West Country accent of his makes go all ‘ooh!’” Grinning she sort of shimmied and raised her brows.

Spike offered the bottle of wine to her, and plastering on a really thick accent he said…

“Ooh-arr me dear, ‘ave another glarz o’ woine?!”

Willow playfully popped him one on the arm, and Buffy giggled

“Well, I shall retire to bed, if you don’t mind, I need my beauty sleep, goodnight!”

“Yup, you must look your best for Sam in the morning, night Will!” Buffy teased, Willow grinned and rolled her eyes and went upstairs.

“Yeah, night Will!” Spike clapped his hands together and rubbed them saying,

“Right then pet, I’ll wash, you dry” they went into the kitchen to tidy up.

“It’s not going to shift, I’ll have to leave this in soak overnight” Spike said, throwing the scouring pad into the sink and filling the grill pan with water and detergent and putting it on the drainer.

Buffy dried her hands, yawned, and stretched.

Spike slipped his arms around her and nuzzled her neck from behind.

“Willow’s a dark horse, isn’t she – full of surprises!”

Buffy grinned and said,

“When we were talking this afternoon, I asked about Marie-Claire, I was a bit careful in case the break-up was painful, but she grinned and shrugged and said she’d got sick of her smoking and the Gallic shrug and the moaning! That and the fact that her brother wanted a threesome with them!”

“Well, she’ll definitely ruffle a few feathers if she’s seen with Sam in the Smuggler’s Cove, that one barmaid really fancies him!”

“That tall Australian one? – She fancies anything in trousers that one – she gives you the glad eye too!” Buffy turned in Spike’s embrace to face him.

“But I’m taken pet…nobody in the world for me but you babe, you know that”

Spike dipped his head and caught her mouth in a passionate kiss, until Buffy stayed his shoulders and leaned out of the clinch…

“Hey, down boy, I want a bath first…although you can come and wash my back if you want to!” Buffy kissed his nose, and Spike ‘pinched’ another kiss on the lips then whispered to her,

“Only if I can wash all the interesting places too!” and giggling like a couple of teenagers, they went upstairs………


*****************

After a light breakfast of tea and toast, Spike helped Buffy by washing up while she got Izzie ready. Willow came downstairs wearing chocolate brown tailored pants, a cream open-necked blouse and she’d tied the arms of a light little peach coloured cardigan casually around her neck.

“Will I do?”

“Wow – French chic!” Buffy said, looking suitably impressed

“Would you mind Izzie while I nip upstairs and change – Izzie, come and show Aunty Willow your counting book”

At five to eleven Sam turned up, apologising for being slightly late.

“The one back tyre looked a bit flat, so I took it to the garage to be pumped up – and here’s that ‘What’s On’ guide you asked me to get – so everybody ready – hop in then!” He gave Willow a wink and she blushed!

Buffy and Spike automatically climbed into the back with the children, leaving Willow the front seat next to Sam.

Spike was reading the guide Sam had given him

“Oh hey, listen to this, you know we said that we’d go to Blackmore Hall this week, well, on Wednesday, they have demonstrations of the Knight’s of Old sealed knot society, they do jousting, sword-fighting, there’s archery, birds of prey, and there’s the blacksmith there, we can watch him shoe the horses, - there’s a tree-top walk, a maze, the boating lake which takes you to a picnic area – sounds a great day out, shall we go on Wednesday then?”

Spike could see how pumped Billy was and he smiled

“Sam, what about you, I know Wednesday is your day off, come with us?”

He expertly slid into a parking space at the little station, switched off the engine and said,

“Well great, that’s if you’re sure you won’t be sick of me by then!” He was smiling at Willow as he said this, and Billy piped up,

“It’ll be great, the best day out ever!”

“Come then, oh look, here comes the train”

Everyone got out of the van and went to the platform.

Sam gave Billy a £10 note and said,

“Here you are young Billy, you get the tickets with that” After a few protests, Sam stood his ground, and Spike said that lunch was on them then.

They sat down in one of the open windowed carriages, and enjoyed the 8 miles of beautiful coastal scenery as they chuffed along, the children loving it when they went under the bridges and they were suddenly enveloped in steam for a few seconds!
Chapter 4 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 4

Leaving the men to wander around the market, Buffy and Willow went into a shop called ‘Heaven Scent’. It sold mostly candles, of every description, but it also sold essential oils, joss sticks, oil burners, pot-pourri and other handmade scented delights like soaps, lotions and all manner of nice things to put in the bath.

After spending a small fortune in there, they came out and went to find the others.

They soon spotted them, as Izzie was sitting on her daddy’s shoulders waving to them.

“Look how big I am mommy!”

They wandered slowly round, stopping when something caught their eye.

“Can we go into Thompson’s now please?” Billy asked, racing to the door of his favourite bookshop.

“Of course, come on” They all dutifully trooped in, Izzie immediately she’d been lifted from her dad’s shoulders went and sat on the plastic frogs in the ‘kiddi-korner’ and played happily

Billy went to the counter, and waited patiently while the shop owner finished serving a customer, then he smiled delightedly at the young lad over his wire-rimmed specs. He knew this child had a thirst for knowledge and he liked to encourage it.

“Well, hello young Billy – I was only thinking about you yesterday, I had something special come in, an I’m sure you’d like it, so I put it to one side for you!”
Billy said hello and grinned.

Mr Thompson bent down under the counter and came up with a book called ‘Knights of Old’ it was a book specially for children perhaps older than Billy, but being a very bright little boy the shop-keeper knew he’d have no problem with it. It explained all about armour through the ages, from chain mail to full metal suits that weighed a ton, the weapons they used and the times when they were used.

Billy’s eyes lit up and he carefully took the book and leafed through it.

“This is wonderful, can I have it daddy? – How much is it Mr Thompson?”

“Well, just so happens that it’s on offer at the moment, how much pocket money do you get?”

“Well, I get £2 from daddy, but I always try to save at least half of it, and uncle Sam gives me a pound sometimes too”

“But he’s such a good little boy, I’m going to buy it for him, and this please for Izzie” Willow said, putting a ‘Fifi and the Flowertots’© book on the counter.

Billy said thankyou and couldn’t wait to start reading it…

They came out of the shop, and Spike looked at his watch

“It’s ten to one, shall we make our way to the pub – our tables’ booked for one o’clock”

Slowly wandering up the crooked little High Street they made their way to The Duke of York.

***************

After a huge lunch of roast beef with all the trimmings, followed by apple pie and clotted cream ice cream, they all decided that they definitely needed to walk off some calories, so they spent another hour wandering around the market stalls, before going into the Guild Hall and looked at the antiques and collectors items.

Izzie was quite happy on her daddy’s shoulders, and Billy used to love looking at the old stuff and having it explained to him.

“I’ve got to sit down and have a drink…come on, I know just the spot”

Everyone followed Buffy out of the back exit of the hall to the park, where she bought cans of ice-cold sodas for everyone from a little shop. They lay or sat on the grass and the sun beat down. Spike tipped his baseball cap over his eyes to have a quick snooze. Izzie fell asleep too, and Billy started to read his new book while Buffy, Willow and Sam chatted.

After an hour or so, they were ready to go and look at the rest of the collectors fair, and while doing so, Billy found a second-hand bookstall, on it was an old book with the picture of Blackmore Hall on the front, it was called simply, Tales of Blackmore Hall. Inside Billy read it was a collection of true stories about the various Blackmore-Collier’s, the Duke’s of Edmonton who owned the hall through the ages.

“How much is this book, please?” Billy asked the elderly lady, sitting behind the table.

“That one dear, now let me see………oh it’s an odd one, not part of a set, you can have it for a pound”

Billy grinned and handed the lady a coin from his pocket. The lady wrapped it up and after thanking her, Billy caught up with the rest of them.

“What have you been buying now – don’t tell me, a book!” Buffy smiled and ruffled Billy’s hair.

“True stories of Blackmore Hall!” Billy enthused, and Buffy took it from him and put it in her bag for safekeeping until they got home.

“Well come on then folks…s’about time we made our way to the station, the train leaves in twenty minutes”

They made their way back up the High Street, stopping off at the fruit stall to get fresh strawberries, peaches, a mango, a pineapple, some blueberries and cherries to make a fresh fruit salad for after dinner the following day.


When they got home, Sam couldn’t hang around as he had to go and take some grocery deliveries to people, but it was arranged that Peggy would come and babysit while they all went to the pub for a couple of hours later.


**********************



The children had a light supper of boiled eggs, then a slice of cake as they’d had a big lunch, and after bathing Izzie, Billy had a bath too, and he was quite happy to go to bed and read his two new books.

Neither Buffy, Willow nor Spike were hungry, but come supper time for them she knew they would be, so, she made a huge plateful of sandwiches with various fillings, had a family sized bag of potato chips at the ready, and sliced chocolate cake and put out some cherry slices for when they came back from the pub, a few beers would give them an appetite!

Willow came into the kitchen to see if she could help.

“All done, only got to cover it in cling-wrap then I can go shower and put some make-up on!” Buffy said

Willow said she’d do that and Buffy went up to get ready.


********************

They were all ready when Sam and his aunty turned up at 8.30. Peggy would never accept payment for baby-sitting, she enjoyed it so much – she said it gave her a couple of hours of peace where she could relax, do some knitting and catch up on the soap-operas she missed so Buffy used to tape them for her.

“And here, I went into your favourite shop in Cockington today, and we’ve treated you to a lavender candle and some lavender bath-bomb bubbles!” Buffy said to Peggy.

“You are an angel, I just finished the last on Friday – anyway, run along, scoot, don’t hurry back, I’m dying to know what’s happened to Dr White in the Hope Memorial Hospital!” Peggy said grinning, waving the TV remote control in her hand, and settling herself in the big easy chair.

They decided to walk down to the Smugglers, as it was a lovely evening.

Outside in the beer garden there were the first few holidaymakers who had stopped for a drink, but they decided to sit inside.

Sam went in first, followed by Willow, Buffy, with Spike bringing up the rear.

He was greeted by a dazzling smile from Tracy, the Australian barmaid, until she saw Willow and her face fell.

Buffy glanced and Spike and made a quite ‘oh dear’ face, then she grinned

A few people said good evening to them, and Sam said he’d get the first round in.

Buffy and Willow opted for halves of lager and Spike and Sam both had pints of best bitter. They found a cosy corner and sat down. It was duly noted that a few of the ‘lads’ were having a good look at both Buffy and Willow, especially the striking red-head as she was new………

One chap who knew them came over to speak to Sam. After getting the info he wanted, he smiled and winked at Willow and said,

“You’re a dark horse Sam, where did you find this divine young maiden then?”

“I’m not telling the likes of you Joe, else you’ll want one too!” Sam said grinning

Willow blushed and sipped beer, while Sam grinned his head off and said,

“I Certainly do!”

Their first drinks slipped down pretty fast and Spike went up to the bar to get the next round in.

“Who’s the red-head then?” Tracy asked as she pulled the pumps and poured the foaming beer

“She’s a friend of Buffy’s over on holiday with us, she’s just finished uni in France”

“She’s French?”

“No, American, she’s just been to the Sorbonne”

Tracy made a face and said,

“Clever as well as beautiful then…but she’s not his girlfriend, I mean, Sam’s just to make up the numbers is he?”

“Tracy, you’ll have to ask him yourself, but they seem quite taken with each other, and they were holding hands today around the Cockington markets” Spike paid for the drinks and bought them over to the table.

“Getting the ‘third degree’ by Tracy I see, what’s the betting it’s all about Will!” Buffy said, placing a drink in front of herself and Willow

“Yup, can you feel the waves of jealousy!!” Spike asked, he grinned and sat.

“Well I certainly can, from the lads, we have the two best looking ladies in the town Spike, no, make that the county!” Sam said grinning

“Hey, flattery will get you nowhere, Willow and I are still going to thrash you at darts, aren’t we Will!” Buffy said giggling

Sam sat up and grinned

“Oh hey, hear that Spike, that’s fighting talk where I come from…shall we take up the challenge?”

“I should definitely say so!”

“Come on then…losers pay for the next round – this’ll be like taking candy from a baby, Spike!” They all stood and went over by the dartboard, bringing their drinks.
Chapter 5 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 5


“Right, 501, double start, and a double finish, nearest arrow to the bull starts, did you get that, gorgeous?” Sam asked, winking at Willow, hoping he’d totally baffled her!

“Oh yes I think so just let me check, we start with a score of 501 and we have to get down to nothing, but we must hit the little outer part of the number to start, that’s a double, and the same to finish, and the person who’s dart is nearest to the dead centre of the board, the ‘bullseye’ starts, is that right?” Willow said grinning

“Oh hey, you’ve played before – I thought this was going to be easy!” Sam said, and then he offered her one of his darts and said,

“Ladies first”

“No, no! Age before beauty, I insist!” Willow said giggling

“You cheeky madam! Come here!” Sam grabbed her and landed a big smacker of a kiss on Willow’s lips, and Tracy behind the bar dropped a tray of glasses behind the bar in disappointment

Willow winked at Buffy when Sam’s dart landed about two inches away from the centre, then Spike’s landed about an inch away. Poor old Buffy’s dart hit the wire number and bounced out onto the floor so it didn’t count, and Willow stood at the end of the rubber mat behind the ‘oche’ line and threw her dart dead centre into the bullseye. She grinned as she went to the board to retrieve the darts and she gloated

“My dart I think! Right – Buffy and I against you and Spike, 501 – gentlemen the bet is on!” She took the three darts and threw them accurately, scoring 100! She chalked 401 on the scoreboard, crossing out 501

“Oh Sam, this looks like it could be expensive!” Spike said laughing.

When Sam was taking his turn, Spike whispered playfully to Willow,

“And no witchy stuff you!”

Willow just grinned and whispered back,

“As if!”

A few of the regulars were watching the game, and while Sam and Spike still had scores of over two hundred to get down, (and Buffy over three hundred) Willow’s accurate throwing meant she only needed to get 132, it was her turn, she got the treble twenty first, then she got the double twenty, all she needed was to get the double 16 to finish!

The regular lads were cheering her on, and when she threw and the dart landed squarely in the double 16, she jumped up and down waving her arms in the air, all the regulars were cheering

“We’ll have you on our team miss, come and play for us this Thursday night, we’ve got a grudge match against Darrington!” One of the old guys said

“Your round I think!” Willow said with a grin, and then added

“Only thing to do in the Halls of Residence, was to play darts, the TV was rubbish!”

“NOW she tells me!” Sam grinned and went up to the bar.


*****************

Back home, ten to midnight………

“Oh goddess, PLEASE tell me that was non-fattening double chocolate caramel fudge cake!” Willow said, sucking her finger and thumb and licking her lips

Buffy giggled and said,

“Yup, that’s the stuff Will, isn’t that right Peggy, that was zero-calorie, double chocolate caramel fudge cake with extra whipped cream! I’m going to patent the special recipe formula for it and make a fortune – just think, I’d be rich!”

“Well, we’d better be going, SOME of us have to work for a living!”

Sam stood up grinning.

“Hey, I work too! I’ve got to start research for my new book I’ve been commissioned to write!” Spike said

Sam rolled his eyes laughing and said,

“Hard days slog over a hot computer”

“Well my dears, I’ll say goodnight and wait in the car for you dear” Peggy said

“Thanks for babysitting Peggy” Spike gave her a kiss on the cheek and Peggy grinned and squeezed Spike’s hand.

“Have you got everything, your glasses, knitting – here, don’t forget your candle and bath stuff” Buffy also gave Peggy a kiss on the cheek saying thanks and goodnight.

Willow lazily held her arms up and Sam pulled her up off the sofa

Buffy and Spike diplomatically started to take the supper things into the kitchen so Sam and Willow could say ‘goodnight’.

“It was a great night…great day all round actually, I really enjoyed myself, did you?”

“I sure did – not a good day for Tracy though!” Spike said, covering the last of the cake in cling-wrap and putting it in the fridge.

Spike glanced into the lounge to see if they could go and fetch the rest of the crockery, but Will and Sam were still engaged in a pretty large kiss!!

“What are you doing tomorrow?” Spike asked

“Well, if you will mind the children in the morning, I thought Will and I could go do some shopping in Barnstaple, then I thought we could take the children to the cinema, ‘Madagascar’ is on at the Gaumont, Izzie’s dying to see it, there’s a showing that starts at 5.30pm, then I thought it was an ideal opportunity for Willow to have proper English fish and chips, out of the paper – we can sit overlooking the estuary while we eat them”

“Great idea, I’ll leave the leg of pork fillet I was going cook for another time then”

Sam leant around the kitchen door and said,

“Goodnight then Buffy, Spike – I’ll see you later maybe”

“Yeah okay, night Sam, drive carefully”

“I will…night Princess!” Sam winked at Willow and she smiled

After waving off their friends Spike locked up.

“Want some help clearing up?”

“No Will, you can both go on up, I’ll do it in the morning when you are out shopping”

“So, we’re shopping in the morning then?” Willow asked making for the stairs

“Uh huh, there’s this lovely little boutique just off the High street, she does some great stuff, reasonable too”

“Great, okay, night then Spike”

“Night Red”

“You coming up?” Buffy asked

“Won’t be a sec, I just want to put this telephone number and email address Sam gave me in my diary so I don’t loose it, this guy could be useful to my research for my next book”

“Okay babe, I’ll leave the lamp on for you”


******************

“BILLY, DO YOU WANT BREAKFAST, BECAUSE THIS IS THE LAST TIME I’M CALLING YOU!”

“Coming mom!”

“Aunty Willow…”

“Yes darling?”

“What does that word say?”

“Which word poppet?”

“That one?”

“Um…Flowertots, see there’s Fifi…and there are the flowertots. Do you like the book?”

“Oh yes, I think it’s pretty!”

Willow laughed and cupped the little blonde moppet’s cheek.

Billy came down, still in his pyjamas, Buffy shook her head and sighed, although she couldn’t help but smile

“Don’t tell me, you were reading!”

Billy gave his mom a sheepish grin, and said

“But it’s ever so interesting! I’m reading about wicked Sir Jasper Blackmore, he was trying to do his poor younger step-brother William out of his inheritance!”

“I see, well it nearly did you out of your breakfast, what do you want love?”

“Just some toast please”

“No cereal?”

“No thankyou, it’s the chocolaty one, and I don’t like it!”

Buffy smiled and said to Willow, nodding towards Billy

“Ever met a child that doesn’t like chocolate – coz you have now!”

“Where’s dad?”

“Well, he’s on the computer – starting research for his new book”

“What are we doing today?”

“Well, you’re staying with dad until your aunty and I come back from shopping, then it’s a surprise” Billy smiled at his mom as she mouthed

“Going to see ‘Madagascar’” Putting her finger to her lips and pointing to Izzie so Billy wouldn’t say anything

“Is it swimming day mommy?”

“No baby, that’s tomorrow”

“Swimming huh – that sounds like a jolly good idea, can I come do you think?” Willow asked Izzie, who gave a big nod and smiled, she said

“Tell the lady, and she gives you band to put round your ankle and then you can come in and swim with me…I can do a whole length! Well nearly!”

Willow giggled

“Can you – golly, you’re very clever – do you like swimming Billy?”

“Yes, but I couldn’t go the last two times, I had an ear infection, will I be able to go tomorrow mom?”

“I should think so, you’ve finished all the eardrops and it doesn’t hurt now does it – here’s your toast”

“No, it doesn’t hurt anymore”

“Morning!”

“Morning Spike!”

“Dad, mom says I can go swimming with you tomorrow”

“Really – great! Oh”

Everyone looked at Spike

“I forgot about swimming, I’ve just arranged via an email to see this chap Sam told me about last night, he’s got all this Edwardian stuff that will help me put my new book together with photos and that”

“Well never mind, you go see him, and Willow and I’ll take them, make a change for me AND I could do with the exercise!”

“Dad, we ARE still going to Blackmore Hall on Wednesday, aren’t we?”

“Of course son, I haven’t forgotten about that, don’t worry!”

“Oh dear Izzie…I think you’re going to have to come shopping with your aunty Willow and me”

“What’s up?”

“Look”

Buffy showed Spike Izzie’s split sneakers.

“Actually, now I come to think of it, she could do with a new swimming costume too, she’s getting taller” Spike said

“Do you want to come too Billy, or do you want to stay here with your dad and read?”

Silly question! Billy didn’t really like traipsing around the shops when his mom was looking for clothes at the best of times, even if there was something in it for him! Give him a good book and he’d be quiet for hours reading.

Half an hour later Billy and Spike waved the ladies off and went back indoors

“Okay son, I’m going to wash-up, then I’ll be on the computer, what are you going to do?”

“I’m going to get dressed and then I’m going to read my book about Blackmore Hall, Sir Jasper is trying to do his younger step-brother out of his inheritance, it’s ever so good!” Spike chuckled and ruffled his son’s hair

“You and your books! Well you know where I am if you want me – did mom tell you about the surprise this afternoon?”

“Yes, but she didn’t want me to say anything in front of Izzie, coz else she’ll keep going on about it”

“Oh well! Right, you go off and read, and I’ll tidy up the kitchen”


********************

“Hmm, these smell so good, we missed lunch”

They all sat on one of the benches overlooking the estuary; Buffy helped Izzie open her box with mini fish and chips, everybody else had theirs wrapped in paper.

“HHHMMMMMMMM! Oh goddess that’s just SO good!” Willow savoured her first mouthful

“It’s a good job I don’t live down here permanently, I’d get so fat – what with the cream teas, and the beer and the Cornish Pasties, fish and chips and the big cooked breakfasts!”

“Well, that’s what I said when I first moved down here, but well everything in moderation, and I find what I lack doing in proper exercise, I make up running round after Izzie and the chickens and doing the garden”

“That nice baby – did you like the film?” Izzie nodded and said

“Oh yes!”

“Good girl!”

“Oh, that’s me…hey, Hi Sam, what can I do for you?……………………well right this moment, were sitting overlooking the estuary in Barnstaple eating fish and chips – we took Izzie and Billy to the cinema…………………hold on – Will, Sam wants a word” Spike passed her his cell phone

“Oh, um…” Quickly wiping her fingers she took the phone

“Hi Sam………hmm, yeah, they’re absolutely delicious…………when tonight, um, hold on………Guys, what time will we get home?”

Spike looked at his watch and said,

“Bout nine”

“About nine Spike says…really? Okay, great, I’ll see you then, bye!” She ended the call and gave the phone back to Spike.

“He’s going to pick me up and take me to see his piglets, then were going for a drink!”

“Piglets huh…that’s a new one!” Buffy teased, and Willow went red.

Billy grinned and sing-songed,

“Aunty Willow’s got a boyfriend!”

Causing Buffy to snort a laugh while she was drinking her soda and it went everywhere, making them all giggle.

They got home and Sam (eager beaver he was!) was waiting in the car for her.

Willow dashed in, had a quick wash and got changed, then she put on some mascara and lipgloss, and went downstairs

“Will I do?”

“You look beautiful – come on then, let me take you to see Lady Bettina of Cheltenham – she’s a Gloucester Old Spot pig, Betty for short, and she’s just farrowed 12 little piggies! – I thought the nippers might like to see them sometime this week too Buffy”

“Great – perhaps Thursday when I bring my order in” Buffy said

“Well come on then beautiful, let’s be off” Sam took Willow by the hand and they left.

“Mommy…are uncle Sam and aunty Willow getting married – can I be a bridesmaid and look like a fairy princess like in my storybook?” Izzie asked, suddenly all bright eyed again – gone was the sleepiness while she was in the car.

Spike grinned at Buffy and Buffy was at a loss at what to say!

“They’ve only just met darling – they’re just friends”

“But they were holding hands!” Izzie insisted

“I’ll ask her tomorrow” Izzie said, then added,

“Daddy, come and read me a story…I want Princess Twinkle-toes gets married”

“Thought you might, come on then, beddy-byes for you poppet - upstairs, hands and face wash and clean your teeth”

“Can I read for a while mom, I’m not tired”

“Yes baby, you go and get ready for bed, and I’ll come up and turn the light off in half an hour, night-night” Buffy kissed her son goodnight and went into the kitchen to make some tea.

Spike came downstairs smiling five minutes later, just as Buffy took the tea tray into the lounge.

“She was asleep after a couple of lines, I left Billy’s light on, he said you said he could have half an hour”

“Yes I did…hey, do you think we should warn Willow?” Buffy said, and started giggling

“Oh god I don’t know! – She went very red when Billy teased her – can you imagine her face!”

“Well, she will have this man phoning her up, asking her if she wants to look at twelve pink wrinkly things!” They both sat there giggling like a couple of kids!
Chapter 6 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 6


“Have you got a door key?” Sam asked, tightening his arms around Willow

“No, no I haven’t – golly look at the time! I really should be getting back, one of them will be sitting up for me”

“Hmm, I’ve got an early start in the morning too…come on then princess, lets get you home – kiss first though?


Willow homed in and gave him a kiss, and Sam reached for her hand and they walked to the car.

“So, how did you meet Buffy then – what was it first day at kindergarten was it?”

Willow clipped herself into the seatbelt and Sam started up the van.

“No, much later than that, I didn’t meet Buffy until she moved from LA, when her parents divorced, and she came to Sunnydale High, we were almost 16”

This surprised Sam, and he suddenly stopped the van in the middle of the country lane.

In the bright glare of the headlights, Willow saw a bird casually crossing the road, like it had all the time in the world, and she started to laugh!

“What on earth?”

“That my dear, is a grouse, it’s a game bird probably from Blackmore Estate, they keep all manner of game birds for shooting come the glorious 12th as it’s known, and unfortunately they have no road sense whatsoever!.”

“Do you shoot?”

“Practically de-rigeur in the country pet – so you’re swimming in the morning then?”

“Yup – boy do I need the exercise!”

“Get away, you’ve got a gorgeous figure!”

“Huh, and how long would it last with all the beer and fish and chips, pasties and cream teas!”

Sam chuckled and said,

“Well, I never go to the gym, no need, I’m always on the go – the shop, fishing, the pigs, delivering – take tomorrow, I’ve got to go to the cash and carry warehouse, then look after the shop from 12-2 while aunty does her baking, then I’ve got to mend two of my lobster pots, then give this old girl a service – she needs an oil change and I’ve got to fix the heater, then I’ve got to thin out the onions in the vegetable garden, so that’ll mean an hours worth of digging!” Sam pulled up outside Honeysuckle cottage, there was a pale orange glow through the curtains where the lamp was on in the lounge.

“Well thanks for a lovely evening Sam”

“Thankyou – and you’re welcome pet” He leaned over and gave her a passionate kiss – which could have lead to other things, but Willow opened the van door and the little light came on in the car

“I better go… see you Wednesday?”

“If not sooner – night babe” he winked at her.

Willow smiled and closed the van door quietly, she walked down the path, and lightly tapped on the window

She waved Sam off and went inside.

“Sorry I’m late – we got talking and forgot the time!”

Buffy smiled, yawned and stretched

“It’s okay, I fell asleep half-way through the late film – so did you have a good night?”

“Yeah – great…although that barmaid Tracy keeps giving me the evil eye…Spike gone to bed has he?”

“Bout ten minutes ago – want some tea, something to eat?”

“Oh goddess, no and no thanks! Don’t think tea on top of wine would go down very well”

“Are you seeing him tomorrow – sorry, I mean today?” Buffy asked as she saw it was now 12.10am

“Well, I said see you Wednesday, and he said ‘if not before’ – but nothing definite. I really like him Buffy – he’s, well he’s different”

“Well, MUCH – if you’re comparing him with a 21 year old French girl!” Buffy looked at Willow smiling, and Willow continued,

“I mean I know my last relationship was with somebody French and 21, and not forgetting female of course, but there’s a confidence in him I like – he’s a real man, not a kid, he knows what he wants…”

Buffy stood and smiled

“Well the kids already have you two married off – well Izzie has – ‘you were holding hands’ Buffy said mimicking her daughter, grinning now.

“What – oh my goddess!” Willow clamped her hand over her mouth and giggled.

“And Izzie also wants to be a bridesmaid, like in her storybook – so you have been warned! At least she’s not in competition with you – she had a crush on him when he first started to come here – Sam this and Sam that – Spike got quite jealous at first………”

“I can imagine!”

Buffy yawned and said,

“Well, that’s me off to bed, I’ll just lock up now you’re home”

***************

By 11 o’clock the following morning, Buffy, Willow and the children were off to Barnstaple leisure centre to go swimming.

Spike had got his notes together, and had taken himself off to see this chap Sam had suggested to him who might be of use towards the new book Spike had been commissioned to write, about the Edwardians – his books on Victorian England being such a success.

By five o’clock, everybody was back home. Buffy had hung their swimming stuff up to dry, and Willow went and sat in the garden and watched Izzie playing. Billy sat reading.

“I can’t wait until tomorrow – it’s going to be SO exciting!” Billy enthused, looking up from his book.

“I’m sure it’ll be great fun!” Willow agreed

“Coo-eee, anybody hoo-o-mme?”

“Uncle Sam!” Izzie cried out

Sam came through the back gate carrying a large brown paper sack, the type that usually held 56lbs of potatoes; it was about a 1/3 full.

“What have you got there?” Billy asked smiling

“Come and have a look – I promised these to your mum”

“Seashells!” Izzie beamed

Buffy came out of the backdoor of the cottage grinning

“You smelt the teakettle on the boil did you?”

Sam grinned and said,

“I did pet, milk and two sugars in mine…got you those shells you wanted for your rockery garden”

“And it was SO important that it couldn’t have waited until the morning!” Buffy said with a grin, pouring him out a mug of tea, knowing the REAL reason he’d come.

Sam gave her a bashful smile and took the tea but said nothing

Izzie and Billy had tipped out the shells onto the lawn, and Willow was helping them sort them into type and size

“Actually, I’m on the grocery delivery rounds, I wondered if Willow would like to come with me, I was going to show her my boat”

Buffy said seriously,

“You really like her don’t you?” Sam just nodded and took another gulp of tea.

Buffy didn’t say anything as it was none of her business, but she worried that he was going to get hurt as Willow had only planned to stay a fortnight………

Finishing his tea, Sam strode over to Willow and bent over and whispered to her. Buffy watched as Willow shielded her eyes from the sun, smiled and nodded, said something to Izzie and Billy and stood up.

Spike came down from upstairs and looked out into the garden

“I thought I heard his voice! He’s becoming quite a fixture here, isn’t he!”

Willow came in and said,

“Sam’s going to show me his boat, I’ll be back by seven”

“Okay Will, were having cold meats and salads, so nothing will spoil – you go enjoy yourself” Buffy said

*****************

They were just in Middle Netherbourne, when Sam’s mobile rang.

He pulled in to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Sam, are you in love or something?” His aunts dulcet tones rang out loudly, Willow couldn’t have failed to hear

“Wha-what – I-I-I, um w-what do you mean?” the colour flooded his face and Sam was glowing a hot, beet red

“You’ve left old Mrs Brown, widow, lives on her own 4 dozen eggs, and June Gillespie, who’s got to do the tea for 50 of the Women’s Fellowship meeting half a dozen – she can’t get her sponge cakes, éclairs and egg mayonnaise done on half a dozen-“

“Yes, yes, alright, I get the picture, sorry, it’s easily put right, I got a bit muddled, that’s all, no need to make a drama out of it!” Sam snapped, and then he moderated his tone,

“I’m in Middle Nether now, I can easily go back up to Higher Nether when I drop Willow back home”

“Yes, but you’ll have to go to Hangman’s Lane to pick up the four dozen first, actually, I told her to take her half dozen and to leave the others on the back step”

“Okay aunty, I’ll sort it don’t you worry”

“So, you’ve got Willow &**(*^&^%$%£ - !”

“Sorry aunty, signal’s bad, I’m in a dip, you’re breaking up”

“I said, *&^)(£$%~@~@**&^^& - and tomorrow as well, )(*~@$%%^”

“Sorry aunty, can’t hear you, bye!” Sam swiftly ended the call and glanced at Willow

“Sorry about that, I don’t know…I make ONE mistake!” Willow just smiled and they drove on.

*****************


They walked hand in hand down the jetty and onto the soft sand. The tide was due in, and Sam led her passed several large moored boats.

“Have you ever been on a boat before?”

“Only on a rowing boat…Xander scared me half to death, rocking the boat, teasing me the lake was bottomless…fact was I think it was about six foot at the deepest point!”

“Xander eh, that was yours and Buffy’s friend in Sunnydale, right?”

“Uh huh”

“Well, here she is!”

Willow looked up at a large navy blue and white painted boat; it had a mast and sail, and a small cabin at the front. The name ‘Carole-Anne’ proudly painted on the top edge of the prow.

“Carole-Anne – who was she then?”

Sam shrugged

“No idea pet, that’s what she was called when I bought her three months ago, I was going to re-name her – it’s just getting round to it, although I HAVE had one or two ideas”

Sam helped her up on board, and they went into the cabin. It was warm, certainly less windy in there than outside in the harbour.

“It’s cosy” Willow said, standing at the wheel and looking out over the harbour

“I take it this is the satellite navigational thingy” She pointed to a small monitor

“It is pet, and that’s the radio underneath – but I don’t go far, farthest I’ve been is Lundy Island, that’s about 28 miles away”

“I’ve heard of that”

“It’s an animal sanctuary and weather station…nobody lives there, well, not permanently, few little stone houses, one pub called the Marisco Tavern that sells everything – and some cows, and that’s it – gets a lot of studenty types and people studying the wild-life and weather and that…I’ll take you next week if you want”

He came and stood behind her, and couldn’t resist putting his hands over hers on the wheel. He dropped a soft kiss on her neck, and Willow half turned, offering her mouth. Sam wasn’t slow on the up-take, and kissed her with mounting passion.

“Oh gods, Willow, I –“ She fixed him with a look, and they stared at each other for a few seconds, there was a definite connection between them, the atmosphere was electric around them…

Willow put her fingers to his lips, and walked him backwards into the cabin, where they half sat, half lay on the bunk bed/come bench seat.

Taking the lead, Willow quickly divested herself of her cardigan, and then she began to tug at Sam’s tee-shirt. He swiftly pulled it off, and undid the buttons on her blouse. Willow threw it on the floor, Sam pushed her to a sitting position, and he stood

“Stand up a sec pet”

Willow stood and Sam put his hand under the seat and pulled. It suddenly transformed into a proper pull out bed, and while she was standing, Willow undid the buckle on her belt to her jeans, Sam was ahead of her and stood in his boxer shorts.

“Are you sure about this Willow?”

She didn’t answer; just nodded and pulled him down to the bed, kissing him again. Fumbling at her back, Sam tried to locate the hooks of her bra with no luck, she giggled and showed him the little rose clasp between the cups, pressed and the bra parted to reveal her luscious curves to him, which he began to nuzzle and kiss, making her gasp.

Suddenly, Sam stopped and sat upright and said,

“We can’t – oh god, I haven’t got any, you know – condoms – I didn’t plan this, I swear, else I’d have…”

“Shush, it’s okay – don’t worry, I’m covered, not that I’m in the habit of doing this sort of thing! I take a mini-pill to regulate my monthlies, it covers me, okay?”

Sam closed his eyes and mumbled something about ‘if she was sure’…

They made love slowly at first, speeding their movements at the end that culminated into an earth-moving orgasm for both of them – literally – the tide had come in and the boat suddenly bobbed on the swell of waves!

“Oh god, the tide – I forgot!” Sam lay back and giggled

“Will it get very deep?”

“No, couple of feet at the most, don’t worry” Sam turned on his side and stroked her hair

“Love your Titian hair…it’s so silky and soft, and it- hmm, smells lovely”

Willow smiled and cupped his cheek and gave him a light kiss

“You’re sweet, but we’d better be making a move, don’t you think?” Sam looked at his watch

“Oh goodness yes, else I‘ll have this June Gillespie after me!”

They got dressed and went outside

“It’s only a foot deep…right come on, don’t worry, I’ve got you!”

Willow giggled as Sam carried her through the water and up to the dry sand on the beach. There were a few guys that Sam knew grinning broadly at him.

“And where did you catch that delightful creature!” One guy asked and Sam beamed, Willow went pink cheeked with embarrassment

“Not telling you!” Sam held onto her hand and they walked up the jetty to the van.
Chapter 7 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 7


Billy was up bright and early on the Wednesday morning; he put out boxes of cereals, filled the kettle, topped up the milk jug and laid the table for breakfast. He even went outside to the chickens, opened the roost and threw them a couple of handfuls of corn. They swooped out of the roost in the early morning sunshine and clucked, pecking busily at the snack he’d thrown them.

Billy dusted off his hands, and turned to go back inside the cottage, to see his dad standing in the doorway, smiling at him.

“You’re eager this morning, son!”

“I can’t wait to get there!” Billy grinned.

Buffy came downstairs with Izzie, and could see what Billy had done.

She smiled and said,

“You are a good boy Billy!” Billy grinned at his mother and asked if there was anything else he could do.

“You can put Izzie some cereal and do the milk for her because that jugs too heavy for her when it’s full”

Billy did just that, by which time his toast was cooked

“Are we taking a picnic?”

“We are, and don’t worry, it’s already in the fridge, I’ve only got to pack it into the cool-box, we’ve got cold chicken and ham, hard-boiled eggs, buttered rolls, tomatoes, potato-chips, sausage rolls and fruit. There’s juice to drink, and Sam said aunty Peggy will pack something up too”

“Goody!”

*****************


By 9.30 Sam had arrived, and they packed up in the van and started off.

There were already a few cars in the visitor’s car-park, and a coach when they pulled up at nearly five to ten.

“We’ve got plenty of time, I thought we can go take look at the map of the place in the information centre and gift shop and plan our day, as we’ve got the 10.30am tour round the house with the guide” Spike suggested, so this is what they did.

**

“Right then, that’s settled, we have the tour, that’ll take an hour, then we can have a wander around ourselves, going back to things we were particularly interested in, that’ll take us ‘til lunchtime – so then we take the raft-bridge over to the picnic area, go look at the butterflies and the wild flowers, and then after lunch, back here, get a few souvenirs, watch the jousting demonstration, and then we can go take the children to the petting zoo, then watch the falconry display – I bet after all that we’ll be ready for a cuppa in the Tea Room, okay?” Spike said

Everybody nodded happily, and Billy piped up,

“Come on, it’s nearly twenty-five past, we don’t want to miss our place, do we!” He strode on ahead towards the main entrance, making all the adults smile with his eagerness!

**************


“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, my name is Deborah Carling, and I’ve been in the employ of the Blackmore family for 15 years, I’m going to take you on a tour of the house, tell you about some it’s history and it’s more ‘colourful’ occupants. Please try and keep together in a group, and I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have, although anything requiring a detailed answer will have to wait until after the tour, right, are we all ready?” Everybody in the group, which consisted Spike’s family, plus Willow and Sam, four American, four Canadian, and six Japanese tourists, and two little old ladies from Scotland nodded and the tour began...


“The Hall as you see it today isn’t the house that was originally built, over the years, bits have been added on, bits have fallen down or been destroyed by fire. The original and oldest part of the hall is this room, the Great Hall. The building of Blackmore Hall began in 1415, and was a gift for Thomas Edward Blackmore, from King Henry the Fifth, as a thankyou for helping him win the battle of Agincourt. The house was completed in 1421, a year before the king’s premature death…”

The guide went on to point out things of interest, the original table, fireplace and chimney, and wall ovens, before moving on to the next room. Everybody found it fascinating, even Izzie was quiet! Billy positively hung on her every word………………………………

“…………This is the Long Gallery, so called obviously because of it’s length, which incidentally runs the whole length of the Hall, where the ladies of the house could walk for exercise if the weather was wet……………On the left is a picture of Sir Charles Blackmore, he was the fourth Earl of Netherbourne, he had a great fondness for all things equestrian, and added the stables here………………………………………On the right is a painting of Sir Charles’ first wife, Lady Caroline de Mornay, who became the fourth Lady Blackmore, but unfortunately she died in childbirth at the age of 21, and as the child didn’t survive either, Sir Charles had to find himself a new wife to give him an heir. Two years later he married who was considered a great socialite, Rebecca Hampton-Gaines, and they wasted no time, and within ten years, they had no fewer than 7 children, Charles, Edward, Henry, Egbert, Stephen, and two girls, Rebecca and Josephine – unusually for the time, they all survived……………

……………………Here on the right, we have the first of out three priest holes, and if I just move this tapestry to one side, can you see this wooden panel? – It measures 16 inches wide, I just turn the Tudor rose carving………like so, and hey pesto, it spins on a pivot in the middle, to reveal a tiny space so the priests could hide in relative safety from Queen Elizabeth’s men, as people were forbidden to be Roman Catholic………………”

Billy smiled up at his mom, and they all moved on, except Billy. He lingered at the panel, tracing the Tudor rose carving with his finger, next thing he knew, the panel had flipped up, and he was inside the space, except he seemed to be falling…he landed with a small bump, his back against something solid. He shifted round best he could, pressed the panel in front of him, it flipped up, and he found himself back in the Long Gallery, only he got a great shock when he looked down…gone were his tee shirt, shorts, and sneakers, instead he found himself in doublet and hose, a lacy jabot hanging down in front of a tight waistcoat, and he had on black button boots………
Chapter 8 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 8


“Master William, what are you doing outside of the nursery? Miss Rosenberg will be very worried if you go missing, and you know Sir Jasper doesn’t like children running about the place………”

Billy was just going to grin and say, ‘Uncle Xander, what are YOU doing here’ – but like Billy, Xander was dressed in 17th century clothes – those of a footman…

“Come along, I’ll take you back to the nursery, oh goodness, lets hide, don’t say a word!” Xander pulled William quickly behind a huge urn on a stand when he heard the loud angry tones of the ‘Lady of the Hall’, Lady Drusilla D’Evarle admonishing one of the servants

“And ‘My Angel’ (as she called her fiancé, Sir Jasper) is NOT to be disturbed, don’t let the fire go out in his room, and he is to be taken a draft of well water at five o’clock, is that clear?”

“Yes ma’am”

“WELL GO – I’m sick of your wretched face!”

“Yes ma’am, sorry ma’am!” the hapless servant girl scurried off

Lady Drusilla carried on past the long gallery to her own apartments, and Billy looked up at Xander

“Come on then Master William, let’s go take you back to Miss Willow, and don’t run off again, else the Lady’ll have your guts for garters”

When they entered the nursery, Miss Willow Rosenberg was bending down looking in a cupboard; she stood quickly, flush faced

“Oh William – there you are! How many times have I told you not to run off – If Lady Drusilla sees you out of the here, we’ll both be in great trouble!”

She then smiled at the footman and said,

“Thankyou Mr Harris, I am indebted to you for your kindness”

“Oh think nothing of it Miss, the Lady of the house is no friend of – ahem, well I better move on” He bowed his head to the lady and left.

Willow came up to William and squatted down

“William, I implore you – please don’t run off again, we are here only as a kindness of Sir Jasper, with your father away and your mother ill – “

“I want to see mama” William was quite shocked at his own voice, that and the fact that he called his ‘mom’ mama – mam-mar as he pronounced it…

“William, I have explained, it isn’t known what disease your mother may have – it could be contagious and – “

“No! No – I know what it is, I know – they’re poisoning her – Sir Jasper wants to kill her AND my father so he can have the Hall all to himself!”

Willow went white and stood wringing her hands – she turned to the child

“William – what on earth has come over you! How could you say such awful wicked things – god will punish you for such wickedness as this, we are here out of Sir Jasper’s kindness!”

Willow indeed said those words, but in reality she agreed with the child – but a child of his tender years could come to such a notion was beyond her…she had her suspicions at her dear friend Elizabeth’s sudden illness…Sir Jasper’s pending nuptials to the Lady D’Evarle…

William stamped his foot

“I want to see my mother! I want, I want, I want!” He threw himself on the floor in a tantrum and started to cry…

The nursery door was flung open and in strode Sir Jasper; Willow blanched and shrunk backwards, hiding the toddler in her high chair

“And just WHAT is all this noise – get up child – I SAID, GET UP!”

“No, I shan’t, and you won’t make me, I want to see my mother!” William said

“You’ll see the strap to your hide young man – Rosenberg, bring him to my study IMMEDIATELY!”

At the nursery door, Lady Drusilla looked positively evil towards the child, and she stopped Sir jasper leaving, caressing his cheek with the back of her hand

“Punishing the brat will have to wait my darling...I’ve instructed the groom to ready our horses My Angel – and think of your health – (she turned and looked at William giving him an evil stare) You are only here out of the kindness shown you by your uncle – do you think he actually wants the snivelling brats of his no-good weak brother cluttering up his house?”

“It’s NOT your house, it isn’t and never will be, and I shall prove it!”

Drusilla pretended to faint at the child’s words and Sir Jasper had gone a funny purple colour with sheer rage

Willow dashed forward to ‘help’ the Lady Drusilla, who stopped her with an evil look

“Don’t even THINK of putting a hand on me- you’re nothing but a servant as far as I’m concerned!”

“I am Lady Elizabeth’s best friend, and have a title of my own – I am not a servant-“ Willow began, only until Lady Drusilla cut her short

“A title – (Drusilla gave an evil little laugh) your parents died penniless and have paupers graves – a title indeed! And I shall be glad when you and the brats and the scrap upstairs (meaning the Lady Elizabeth, William’s mother) are gone from here and My Angel and I can live here in peace!”

The couple left the nursery, and Willow dabbed her eyes and sat heavily on a chair

“Oh William – you’ve really done it now – we shall be thrown out on the streets – we don’t know when your father will be back from the war, and how can we pay for medicine for your dear mama then – and where shall we stay?”

William stood slowly and said,

“Don’t worry Miss, I know where I can get some money, and don’t worry, I will protect you!” William said this with such maturity and conviction, that she almost believed him………

Willow drew the child towards her and stroked the back of his head and hugged him

“Oh William, you are a child, seven years old – “

“I can help you, honestly Miss Willow, you mustn’t be afraid, I’m not, I’m not afraid of Sir Jasper, and I’m not afraid of Lady D’Evarle”


“Oh William, but you must, you must be very afraid, for they hold the key to our very survival!”

“Excuse me miss” One of the maids stood in the doorway, gave a little curtsey

“Yes?” Willow asked

“His Lord and Ladyship are going riding now, and his Lordship instructed me to tell you that you are to bring Master William to his study at 5pm for his punishment – that’s it Miss”

Willow nodded sadly, and the maid left

William looked out of the window, and saw Sam, the head stable groom lead out a great chestnut coloured steed, and a smaller piebald mare from the stable block, and he waved down to him. Sam smiled up at him and William didn’t feel scared at all…………………………


***********


At a few minutes to 5, Willow, having put little Elizabeth to bed took William by the hand

“I’m sorry I’ve got to do this William”

“I’m not afraid, come on”

William walked boldly down the long gallery and upon reaching Sir Jasper’s study; he boldly knocked on the door himself

A servant opened it to reveal Sir Jasper and the Lady D’Evarle billing and cooing, she sitting on the arm of his chair. Lady Drusilla positively beamed when she saw them – it faded somewhat when she saw the child didn’t look afraid in the slightest…


Sir Jasper stood, and began to pace menacingly back and forth in front of William to intimidate him, and he snarled,

“Right, for your rudeness and insubordination, you will apologise to Lady Drusilla”

William stood and said,

“If I was rude to you, MISS Drusilla, then I apologise, for it isn’t the way I was bought up”

“Why you little – Lady Drusilla, LADY!” Sir Jasper spat out

“Forgive me Sir Jasper, you and this woman are not married yet, so the title ‘Lady’ isn’t proper” William said truthfully Willow blinked and swallowed, and tried not to show the fact that she was shaking like a leaf… she could see that William was making things worse for himself…

“He is right you know, Jasper…you can’t punish the child for telling the truth…” all eyes turned onto an older man sitting writing at another desk

Sir Jasper’s jaw ticked and he clenched his fists and said,

“Thankyou Wolfram, when I want your opinion………just get on do what I pay you for………damnable lawyer!”

Drusilla was angry.

“Now just you listen – you are here only on my say so, is that clear – I could-”

William spoke up again

“You can do nothing, Sir Jasper. Until my father and mother are both dead then this house belongs to me, by right of accession – if I die, THEN the hall will be yours – you gambled away your right to this house and yours and my father’s father, the late sir Giles cut you out of the will, so in fact, it is YOU that is here on MY say so”

Sir Jasper was practically purple with rage, and Drusilla stood, racing to her ‘beloved’

Wolfram the lawyer looked up from his books, his surprise at the child’s knowledge shocked even him!

“My Angel! Calm yourself, please – you’ll have your heart malady return! You wicked, wicked child, I shall personally see to it that you be punished for this!” she raised her hand to strike William, but Willow was too quick and grabbed her wrist

“Strike him in anger and I shall see the Archbishop – he is William’s god father”

Sir Jasper started to pant, and Drusilla looked stricken

“Oh no, noooo-ooo, my Angel! Help me god damn you!” She hissed at the lawyer, who slowly got up and came to her aid, helping her to seat Sir Jasper.

“Come on, let’s go” William said turning to a smiling Willow. Walking down the long gallery back to the nursery, Willow could hardly contain herself

Once in the room, she closed the door and keeping her back to it she said,

“William – you were magnificent! I was sure I was going to have to be up with you the next few nights bathing wounds from a savage beating!”

“I TOLD you, I am not afraid!”

“But – well how do you know of such things?”

“I sneaked down in the night, and read Wolfram’s papers – Sir Jasper is trying to cheat my father out of what is rightfully his – he’s getting the lawyer to see that there are no legal loopholes that may default that happening! You see Sir Jasper has debts, gambling debts – one is for £7,000 about half the value of this Hall. It’s to Lord Athelborough, on the Burleigh estate”

Willow was shocked! How could a mere child of seven years old understand such words and law, when she barely understood them herself!

“A walk I fancy – will you come with me?” William asked


When they got to the stable block, before they turned the corner, they could hear Sam talking away cursing and damning Sir Jasper to hell and back, when they DID round the corner, a sorry sight met their eyes

The beautiful chestnut steed stood quivering, steam coming off his back, snorting and whinnying, his flanks shaking, he had nasty raised welts criss-crossing his beautiful coat where he’d been whipped.

Sam touched one of the whip marks and the horse almost reared and nodded his head furiously

“There, there, boy…it’s alright………calm now…I said hold him steady lad! I’d like to jump on HIS back and whip him to kingdom come – shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near – there, there lad…shush”

The stable boy coughed and nodded to indicate behind Sam, who turned sharply, it was with relief he saw who it was, and not Sir Jasper…

“Oh goodness! What on earth – oh the poor animal!”

Willow came forward by the horse’s head and helped the stable lad to hold him steady

“Sir Jasper…evil brute – look what he did to this beautiful creature! It’s HE that should be horsewhipped! There, there boy, steady now, nearly done…nearly done…”

“What is that?” Willow asked, nodding towards the container grimacing at the foul smelling ‘ointment’ Sam was putting on the horse’s wounds

“Oh this, not much good, it’s a mixture of goose fat, turpentine and white lead – it should keep the flies off the open wounds, don’t want them going bad ways…okay lad, you can put him back in the stable now”

“I think he must have imagined he was whipping me” William said

“Oh, and what you be doin’ then Master William?”

“Telling Sir Jasper some truths!” Willow smiled and walked with Sam telling him what happened

“Can I give the horses some apples?” William asked

“Yeah, but not too many, gives them the shit- sorry ma’am gives them bad bowels, just one each”

William walked off to the tack-room where the apples, and riding gear was kept.

Holding his palm flat with the apple on it, the first horse, a young black stallion called ‘Thunder’ eagerly came towards the treat and ate it off William’s hand. William patted the white blaze down his nose and whispered to him – the horse whinnied softly and nodded, like he understood the child.

“………I barely understood what he was saying – but that lawyer, Wolfram confirmed that the child was right – indeed, Sir Jasper had a fit of apoplexy I thought he was going to explode!”

“Good on the child! I wished the old bastard had exploded – shouldn’t be allowed around animals – he kicked out at one of the pregnant bitches a few weeks back – she lost the pups…”

“Love animals, don’t you Sam”

“Yes Miss I do, they don’t let you down like humans…I wish the master was back, the REAL master, Sir William, now HE knows how to treat an animal, always checks with me first to see if the horses are okay to ride and that…how’s the Mistress, Lady Elizabeth, is she getting better?”

Willow turned a pair of haunted eyes on Sam then she looked down

“Ah, tis a shame, struck down just like that…I thought she had a healthy constitution!”

“That’s it though, we all did…Sam…if I tell you something………no, no it doesn’t matter, it’s too preposterous!”

“Go on Miss, try me!”

“Well, goes without saying that nothing must be said in front of Sir Jasper or that woman he calls his fiancée”

“No friends of mine – not after what he’s done to poor Prince………”

“William has this notion that they…oh gods forgive me if this isn’t true…he thinks…well…he thinks that they might be poisoning her!”

Sam looked at Willow

“Crossed my mind too – and I think he’s just about evil enough to do it – that woman of his is too – I wouldn’t trust her as far as-“ having treated all the horses to an apple each, William walked back to Willow and Sam…

“Oh William! Have you given the horses their treat?”

William nodded and said,

“Yes, and now I’m going into see mama”

“Well goodbye Sam, I hope Prince will recover soon”

“Miss Willow, Master William” Sam tugged his forelock and watched as they left.

********


“Mama…mama, are you asleep?” William asked gently taking his mother’s hand

The lady Elizabeth struggled to open her eyes. Her pallor was very pale, her eyes sunken and her cheeks hollowed out

“Will-William, is that you?” Her voice was thin and cracked

She turned to reach for a drink of water

“NO! Mama, listen to me – you MUSTN’T drink anything they give you, do you understand – you MUSTN’T!” He turned his gaze to his governess and nanny and said,

“Miss Willow, will you get mama some milk please – from the nursery, I know it’s fresh and safe to drink”

After all that had happened today, Willow decided to do the child’s bidding without question, and she gathered up her skirts and turned to go to the door

“But don’t let anybody see what you bring” Willow nodded and left

“William…have you heard from your dear papa………”

“No word has reached me yet mama, but I know he is safe and will soon be home, and you will be well again”

She lay in bed, frail, indeed it seemed a supreme effort just to drag air into her lungs

“Tis stuffy in here mama, I shall push back the curtains and open a window, but stay covered, you don’t want to catch a chill”

Buffy smiled, and with a little effort, she smoothed his cheek cupping it in her small hand

“My little Doctor…taking care of me”

“Mama, promise me that you will not drink anything anybody other than I or Miss Willow gives you – even Rosie or the other servants, get rid of it anyway you can, I fear…well - I’m sure that-“

Willow re-entered the room with a goblet of milk.

There was a knock at the door, and Willow guiltily turned away holding the milk in front of her, her back to the room so the servant couldn’t see anything.

“Time for your medicine, Miss Elizabeth”

William’s eyes implored his mother, and Willow said,

“Thankyou Sarah, leave it on the side please”

“But the Mistress Drusilla said I must watch her drink it”

“And as the only ‘true’ master of this house while my mother draws breath, you will take orders from me and not her!” William said, and this startled the maid into curtseying.

“We’ll see she gets it – now run along” Willow said

“But, well, what shall I say if she asks if I watched her drink it, the Lady Drusilla was very insistent”

“You can tell her…” William was interrupted by Drusilla entering his mother’s bedchamber without knocking…

“Well, did she drink the draft, did you do as I – OH!” The sight of Willow and William as well as Sarah the maid in the bedroom caught Drusilla by surprise

“You may go, Sarah” William said, and looking with frightened eyes, Sarah looked from Master William to Drusilla, and gave a quick curtsey and fled the room

“What do you want?” William asked

“Why, to see how your dear mama is of course!” Drusilla said lightly, trying to sound innocent

“YOU came to see that she’d drank the ‘medicine’, didn’t you?!

Drusilla coloured up and went to the window and made to close it.

“Ridiculous, I am as concerned as you are for your mother’s health – this window should be closed, goodness she may catch a chill!”

“Leave the window alone” William said

“Now just you listen, I am not going to be spoken to by-“ Drusilla flustered

“Sit down…now, as you are so anxious to see my mother better, perhaps YOU should try her medicine”

“WHAT – Don’t be ridiculous child -th-that medicine is for your dear m-mother – to help her get better, I couldn’t possibly!”

“Well, I was thinking…the doctor cannot decide which illness my mother has…so in my concern for YOU and your health in case this mysterious malady is contagious, I insist on you taking this draft, after all, we can always send for more, can’t we?”

Drusilla panicked, for she knew very well that was in the goblet she’d given the maid to administer, wasn’t what the doctor had prescribed……

“I insist” William said, passing her the goblet

Drusilla began to pant a little, looking at the goblet with frightened eyes – then suddenly she seemed to steel herself, and stand up straight, took the goblet – then suddenly came over with a ‘fit of the vapours’ and fainted, the liquid poured out of the goblet onto the rug as she fell delicately to the floor in a heap………

Willow and William exchanged a glance, but said nothing, Drusilla’s guilty reaction had practically proved her guilt and their suspicions…

Ignoring the ‘fainted’ Drusilla to fend for herself, William said,

“Pass me the milk please Miss Willow…can you help mama drink, hold her head for me………just a few sips mama…”
Chapter 9 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 9

I think I shall move into this room with your mama, William, then I can keep an eye on things” Willow said

“Good – and I must go and see Sam again”

“Sam – why?”

“I need his help”


*********


Sam sat on an upturned feed-bucket, William on a bale of hay. Sam rubbed his chin thoughtfully

“What your askin’ Master William – tis a tall order…what makes you think the plan would work?”

“Because you are the best horseman in the world – my father told me so” Sam flashed a smile and said,

“Tis flattering that master William, don’t mean to say it’s true…”

“Sam…Sir Jasper wants my parents dead, then I’ll be next – then Blackmore Hall will be given away, lost to gambling debts – my grandfather cut him out of the will because of his gambling, he is jealous of my father and doesn’t only want his share, he wants my father’s share too”

The story seemed so plausible, and Sam could readily believe it, but he couldn’t go haring off cross-country on the say-so of a seven year old child…could he?”

“Saying…look, saying I did as ye’ asked…we don’t know where your father is in France – I could be on some wild goose-chase, n’ when I got back here, Sir Jasper would have me hanged for stealing two of his horses!”

William leant forward and said,

“I know where my father is – he is in Calais”

Sam looked surprised

“How do you know this, your father hasn’t contacted here for months?”

“I’ve read some of his missives – he has been writing to my mother for weeks and weeks now, the last one arrived just three days ago, but as she is ill, they don’t tell her – they are in a box with some more papers the Lawyer Mr Wolfram carries around with him”

William could see that Sam would need more information to completely convince him.

“When I’m supposed to be in bed, I sneak down and read them – the papers in his box – he doesn’t know – he drinks so much port wine and brandy after dinner he falls asleep – I even accidentally knocked the fire poker over once, but he didn’t wake up.”

“So why doesn’t your father come home as your mother can’t reply to his letters?”

“That’s it – either Sir Jasper, or Miss Drusilla must be forging letters to him – because what he writes doesn’t makes sense, in his last letter my father said,

‘My dearest, your description of the gardens now that they are I full bloom make me homesick, but fear not, God willing I shall be home in a few short months’ –

Sam, the gardens have only been in bloom this last fortnight – and mama has been sick now for five weeks – how could she possibly have put pen to paper – let alone leave her bedchamber, she has been too sick. My father is in France under the impression everything is fine here when the opposite is true, and by the time he does get home in a few months time, my mother will be dead from the poison, they will kill him, then me – if I’m not already dead too. Word MUST reach him – you are the only one I can trust not to betray what I’ve told you back to Sir Jasper”

Sam thought and said,

“I will do it for the love I have for your father, for I have no wish to be a servant under that tyrant, Sir Jasper…but how can I be away so long without raising suspicion?”

William smiled and said,

“I’ve thought of that!”

“Then pray, do tell!”

“You tell Sir Jasper that his two best horses need re-shoeing you know how he loves to race them – and even HE knows that a horse badly in need of shoeing won’t run fast. Next month is the Piltdown Races – tell him you want to take the horses to be shod where your predecessor, Jack used to take them for my father, promise him they will fly like the wind, like my father’s horses used to – they ALWAYS used to beat his horses and he used to get angry, remember – you were just a stable lad then”

Sam chuckled and nodded, not even giving it a thought as to how young William knew that…

“But what if he won’t have it, what if he just tells me to take them into the village as usual?”

“Oh, I should think the promise of the horses flying like the wind, and that he could bet his life savings on the races will be persuasion enough”

“Master William, you are a genius – but how do I get word to your father in Calais?”

“Don’t worry, I’ve copied the address down and Miss Willow will secretly send him a letter, telling him that you’ll be waiting for him – all this must be done in secret, he must return here with the total element of surprise, or vital evidence against Sir Jasper will be destroyed. The journey from Dover where he would land from France to here is too long to do on one horse, so this is where you come in,
My father can ride from Dover to the outskirts of the Burleigh estate, where he can meet you with the fresh horses – ordinarily my father would have borrowed a horse from Lord Athelborough to ride home here, but Lord Athelborough won’t help him because he knows once my father is back here, he won’t get his winnings from Sir Jasper” Sam nodded

“I understand…so the next thing is to get Miss Willow to send the letter – telling him all that’s happening here and that I shall meet him on the edge of the Burleigh Estate with fresh horses…so god help me Master William, I shall be there for your father, even if Sir Jasper denies me to take the horses further than the village to be shod!”

William beamed

“I knew I could rely on you Sam!”

**********

That evening, Willow put pen to paper and told Sir William just what was really happening at Blackmore Hall, and to make sure the letter went, Willow went down into the town to meet the mail coach herself.

When she got back, she was careful to keep to the back roads up to the Hall, as she arrived, she saw the Blackmore carriage being driven down the driveway and out through the gates.

When she got inside, Willow quickly made her way to Lady Elizabeth’s bedchamber.

She saw young William talking softly with his mother. He looked up and smiled when he saw Willow.

“Tis done master William, the missive to you father is on it’s way to France as we speak!”

“Did you hear that mama, father will be here soon, and everything will be alright”

The Lady Elizabeth could hardly keep her eyes open, but she gently squeezed her son’s hand and smiled, and soon was sleeping peacefully.

“As I was coming in, I saw the carriage leave - I think Sir Jasper must have gone out” Willow said

“They both have, I watched them go, I hid behind the curtains, they didn’t see me. I heard them talking in the hall, Drusilla said something about watching his gambling, and sir Jasper didn’t take kindly to it, he said she ought to mind her tongue, and they weren’t married yet, then she got angry, saying she wasn’t going to marry a pauper with no roof over his head”

“Miss Willow, will you please sit with my mama while I go to the study, there are more papers I need to read”

“Certainly, but please, take care”

“I will, I took the trouble to slip some brandywine in Sir Jasper’s port decanter, I know Mr Wolfram helps himself, he will get drunk quicker than expected!”

“Still my child, take care!”
Chapter 10 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 10


“………Fly like the wind they will, you’d be able to put your life savings on ‘em…won’t he boy, eh…yes!” Sam – not even looking at sir Jasper patted the horse’s flanks, and the horse whinnied, nodding as if in agreement

“And how much extra will this cost?” Sir Jasper snapped irritably

“Monetary wise, nothing, sire – all it will mean is that I’m away overnight for the ride is too long for one day – plus, being the best blacksmith in the country, there might be a queue of-“

“Yes, yes, I get the picture…” Sir Jasper cast a bloodshot eye over the horses, then Sam said,

“Of course, you DO know Lord Burleigh uses him, don’t you?”

“How do you know?”

“Word gets about…I also hear Lord Burleigh has a new, Spanish stallion…impressive, so they say, fast anyway” Sam said watching Sir Jasper closely

Sir Jasper narrowed his eyes at Sam, for he too had heard of this new ‘wonder-horse’ of his gambling rival.

“And how’d you hear all about that, hmm?”

“Riley, the stable boy, his brother is stable boy for Lord Burleigh now, joined last week”

Sir Jasper smiled

“Is that so…”

“And, needless to say sire, any juicy gossip about the horses comes my way…I’d be more than happy to, well – “

“I’m NOT paying you!” Sir Jasper suddenly snapped

“Wouldn’t dream of it sire!”

“Then what would be in it for you?”

“Prestige, sire, prestige – running the best stables…having the best animals – could raise excellent stud prices – if you wanted to do that”

This was something Sir Jasper hadn’t even thought about, and anything that could possibly make him cash interested him

“Putting them to stud, huh…hmm………Take them – the stable boy, will he cope?”

“Assured sire”

“Then take them tonight”

“Not tonight, sire – they have been running today, don’t want to pull any muscles, I’ll tidy the stables and take them tomorrow afternoon when they are well rested”

“MY ANGEL! There you are…I’ve been looking all over the hall for you!” Drusilla’s simpering voice made Sir Jasper look up and smile

“My Sweet! I have good news!” he turned to Sam and said,

“Do as you said, I want my horses to be the best”

“Sire” Sam tugged his forelock and lead the horse away back to his stable

Sir Jasper allowed Drusilla to take his arm, and as they walked back to the Hall, he began to tell her about his new plans to get rich…

“………So when Burleigh boasted about his new stable boy to me last night I recognised the name – same as our stable boy – turns out they are brothers, I’ll be able to keep tabs on Burleigh and he won’t know how I’m doing it – my horses will be the best, and stud fees will be rich pickings!”

Sir Jasper lied through his teeth to Drusilla – he couldn’t possibly let her think this idea had come from a mere stable groom…and Drusilla clapped her hands like a child

Meanwhile, young William had been watching from his mother’s bedroom window, and saw Sam smiling as he lead the horses away – he just KNEW his plan was going to work.


*******************


Calais – 23rd June, 1601



“What is it, Sir William?”

“This letter, it was delivered this morning was it not Giles?”

“Yes sir, I bought it to your quarters myself…is there anything wrong sir?”

“Yes…I must sail for Dover tonight – I am being deceived by my own step-brother, my wife is gravely ill, and the Blackmore Hall is in immanent danger of being gambled away – I will need my things packing and sent on – my campaign here is over”

“Yes sir – I will see to it immediately myself, sir” Giles saluted and left


***************


“Good luck and gods-speed!” Willow secretly saw Sam off with the two horses, then went back into the hall.

**************

“There mama, is that better?” William had straightened his mother’s pillows

“Yes thankyou…”

“Try and eat some of this mama, it’s made of honey, milk, nutmeg and rennet, it’s good for the stomach” William proffered the small bowl of yoghurt-y type food at her

Taking several small mouthfuls, Lady Elizabeth pronounced it good!

The door opened and Willow came in carrying little Elizabeth, all smiles. They had decided not to tell Lady Elizabeth what was going on, she was still too frail, but now she wasn’t being given the poison, she was getting stronger by the day.


“Sam is away to have the horses shoed” She put the infant on her mother’s bed and she crawled towards her.

“Good…mama likes the junket!” young William said, smiling

“I’m glad, it will help line you stomach!” Willow said, smiling at her friend

Lady Elizabeth cuddled her daughter to her

“I seem to have lost so many days with my illness…tell me, how are the gardens?”

“The gardens are fine mama, the roses and stocks are in full bloom, and I should say in a few days that you will be well enough to see for yourself!”


*******************


Sam tied the both horses to a tree in the forest at the edge of the Burleigh estate, and fetched water for them both.

He built a small fire, and chewed on some bread and cheese he’d bought with him. Night fell and he made himself as comfy as possible while he waited for whom he considered to be his real Lord and master to come.

************************

“We will dock in ten minutes Sir William – shall I send out to book you a room somewhere so you can rest for the night?” The captain of the small fishing boat Sir William commissioned to bring him from Calais to Dover.

“That will not be necessary, thankyou – could you tell me where I might buy a horse in Dover?”

“Yes sir, of course, go see Charles Gunn, a man of fine repute – in fact he is approved of by royalty – can speak fairer than that sir”

“Indeed not – and where would I find this ‘Charles Gunn’ fellow?”

He has stables just off the main square – tell him I sent ye and he’ll be giving you a discount”

William smiled and thanked the captain, and as soon as the boat docked, he set off for the town square.


************


Not wanting loose any time, Sir William negotiated a fair hire price to hire a steed, on the understanding that he would leave the horse in the woods on the edge of the Burleigh estate where Charles Gunn would have a stable-boy retrieve it.

“Shall we say, £3, sir?” Gunn said

“Is that all – you trust me?”

“Sir, you are an honourable man, and any friend of Captain Wyndham is a friend of mine”

William paid the £3 for the black steed and set course for the Burleigh estate.

************************

“But My Angel! You promised me – no more gambling!” Drusilla whined

“When I want you to interfere with MY affairs-“

“But at this rate – we will be homeless!”

“Then you will have to go back to your uncle Ethan!” Sir Jasper threatened, and Drusilla positively blanched at this idea.

“Please don’t say that! I love you – we are betrothed! When will my wedding ring be ready?”

Sir Jasper wriggled shiftily in his seat – wedding rings indeed! He didn’t have money for such frivolities! What little money he had left was to be put on his chestnut steed, Prince to win the Piltdown Cup!

“Um it is still being made my love – the craftsmen will take their time to make it perfect for you little dove!”

Drusilla was more than happy with this and she began to daydream about the lavish wedding they would have soon………
chapter 11 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay, real life just got in the way!
Chapter 11

Sir William rode like the very devil was after him, and by dawn, he’d covered 7/8ths of the way – excellent time.

*****************


Sam woke, with a crick in his neck and an ache in his back, but he stood, yawned and stretched, and went to check on the horses.

They were still tethered, but had access to the stream and were both drinking. He patted the neck fondly of the chestnut mare whispering endearments to her; she nuzzled his hand looking for a treat of an apple, which he produced from his pocket. Giving the black stallion an apple too, he left the horses and then he set about stoking up his small fire and thinking of his own breakfast.

Pleased to see one of his traps had been fruitful, he took out a small blade, skinned and gutted the rabbit expertly and placed the meat on a stick over the fire.

He had bought a bottle of wine in his saddlebag, but he wanted to keep a clear head, and the water was safe to drink – so he fetched some while he waited for his meal to cook.

************************

William had no way of knowing the time – all his belongings were still in Calais, and there wasn’t a sundial around, but he guessed around 8 am, it had been a good couple of hours since dawn, and the sun was still climbing in the sky.

Taking the pace a little easier as he rode through a village, William stopped, dismounted and bought bread – he tethered his horse by the bridge and the horse drank from the stream – squinting into the early morning sun across the fields, he could just about make out the edge of the Burleigh estate – he would be there in an hour.


****

Sam ate his half of the rabbit, and swilled his hands in the stream – he would begin to keep a look out now, - Sir William could be there anytime between a few hours to a complete day away yet…

*****


In Miss Rosenberg’s letter, she stated that Sam would meet him in the Southern side of the wood, so William roughly calculated which road to take by the direction of the rising sun, he knew if he kept the transept of the Norman church straight ahead of him, he would roughly be in the right area.


Sam sat, staring into the fire, lost in thought…

William got off his horse when the road ended, and began to lead the animal into the woods. They were up on a hill, and if he looked down, William could see the manicured lawns of the Burleigh estate.

He sniffed deeply, smelling wood-smoke. Looking about him he could see nothing at first, then he heard a horse whinny.

Tethering his horse to a tree, Sir William made his way over to the sound of the horse. And there, with his back to him was his friend and stable groom, Sam.

“Sam!”

Sam nearly jumped out of his skin, turned and surveyed his lord and master with a grin.

“Oh Sir – you made excellent time!” William strode over and they gave each other a backslapping hug.

“I have saved you a little food, it’s not much but-“

“I am too full of emotions for food! Tell me, what of my dear wife – please tell me she is well!”

“Sir, I have SO much to tell you, but rest assured her ladyship is recovering – thanks to young William and Miss Rosenberg!”

“Recovering?”

“Yes sire, we, that is young master William and Miss Rosenberg took a fancy that her ladyship was…was being poisoned! Sam said, and William stumbled back in surprise, he felt sick…hesitantly he asked quietly,

“And my children?”

“Don’t worry sire! They are in fine fettle my lord, why, there is a certain – I don’t now how to tell you – a certain maturity that has over-come young master William – he has been the life-saving of his beloved ma-ma – your dear lady wife, and the brainchild of this malarkey”

William raised his brows

“My seven year old thought of this plan?”

“Why yes, sire – he has been reading all manner of things, finding out what tricks Sir Jasper is up to! But we must hurry sire – For sir Jasper thinks I am away overnight getting the horses shoed for the races, we have no time to loose”

William checked the steed he rode up on, made sure he had access to a patch of lush grass and the stream to drink from, tied it securely. There should be no problem for the groom of Mr Charles Gunn to collect the steed back as arranged. Going back to Sam, who had put out the fire and had saddled the second horse, William said,

“We shall ride until dusk, we should be at Taunton by then – if the horses are tired then we can take a carriage” Sam agreed by nodding and they rode off.


At what they assumed to be lunchtime, a gnawing ache in their gut telling them both they were hungry, they stopped at a tavern, had a mug of ale apiece and some meat and cabbage.

“Tell me more of my son” William asked

“Well sire – he came out with all this legal stuff to Sir Jasper, just like he was a lawyer! Sir jasper turned puce, according to Miss Rosenberg – William had been summoned to a beating, and Miss Willow said young master William strode down the hall, like he had no care in the world!”

William stopped chewing for a few moments, and stared at Sam.

“Sir Jasper took to raising his hand to my son – I will KILL him for that alone!”

“And while you’re at it sire, you can get rid of that crone he’s going to marry – Miss D’Evarle – I swear if ever a woman was aptly named – she is, pure evil she is – she takes great delight when young William is going to be punished!”

William dropped the half veal knuckle on his plate and wiped his mouth and fingers

“I shall throw out Sir Jasper, and his whore for DARING to conspire to injure my family – how are the other staff?”

“He’s kept the bare minimum on sire, Miss Rosenberg, only because she keeps master William busy, the cook, and a scullery and an under-maid, and two footmen. The rest he has ‘let go’ for financial purposes”

“Don’t tell me, GAMBLING!”

Sam nodded; he too wiped his mouth and fingers.

“I should have been told about this weeks ago!”

“But sir, we didn’t know! It was only down to Master William’s ingenuity that we knew something was wrong – he found letters from you to your lady wife that didn’t make sense – it was as though she was writing to you – instead, the letters were being forged by Miss D’Evarle!”

William stood and said,

“I shall see them hang for this – come Sam, we must fly!”

Sam checked over both horses, found them to be just fine and they started off again, Sir William anxious to get home to his dear wife and children.

As predicted, they got to Taunton by dusk, and Sir William hired two fresh horses for them to continue their last fifty miles of their journey.

“Sam, if possible, I don’t want them to know I’m back, can I sneak in some way?”

“Sure of it sir, but I don’t think you need worry, Sir Jasper goes out every night gambling, sometimes he takes Miss D’Evarle, sometimes not, but she would be in their bedchamber by 8.30pm if all goes usual, so there shouldn’t be a problem”

“Right, I’ll stay by the keepers cottages, you take the horses back to the stable, and then if the coast is clear, stand at my wife’s bedroom window with a candle – I shall see it and come in directly – if they are in – then I shall make my way to the stable and you can help me in, have you got that Sam?”

“Sir!”

By nine-thirty that evening, they were home, at Blackmore Hall.

Sam took both horses to the stables while Sir William waited anxiously out by the keepers cottages.

“Sam!”

“Miss Rosenberg!” her face fell and she said,

“But where is Sir William?”

“Have no fear – he doesn’t want them to know he’s back! Where are they?”

“Both went out over an hour ago!” Willow said, smiling

“Good, pass me the candle, I have to signal to is lordship it is safe for him to come in!”

Sam took the candle, opened the curtain and stood at the window, held it up. Sir William who had been pacing back and forth uttering curses and threats as to what he was going to do to his half-brother glanced up and clearly saw the glow of the candle in the window, he grinned and raced across the lawns and into the house………
Chapter 12 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 12


Sir William entered his wife’s bedchamber with a flourish, and smiled when he saw her sitting up, with their young daughter safely nestled in the crook of her arm.

“My Darling – how can you ever forgive me? William fell to his knees, kissing his wife’s fingers, taking in her fragility.

She raised her other hand, and careful not to wake their sleeping daughter she ran her fingers through his hair and said,

“My love, you weren’t to know, we were both deceived by that scoundrel of a half-brother of yours!”

William rose up and sat on the bed, kissing his wife soundly.

“Hanging is too good for that - that – ooh, you WAIT until I get my hands on him – and that whore of his!”

“Papa…there are things you need to see, Mr Wolfram keeps them hidden in a box – papers, documents –things of importance, I have seen forged signatures on these papers, with dates that you couldn’t have possibly signed them on, as you wee away at the campaign in France”

William stood and went to his son, hugged him and knelt

“My son – I am SO proud of you – you have been the man of the house in my absence, and at such a tender age! Go surely must have sent us Miss Rosenberg to teach you such wisdom!”

Willow smiled and said,

“Sire, ‘tis not my doing, the child is of an exceptional brain and heart, and although he is mere but a child, he has the thoughts of one of many years, and it is an honour to have him as my charge!”

“Then come my son, show me these papers of which you speak, and I shall put together a trial to see that ner’-do-well is thrown into a dungeon and they can throw away the key!”

They both quietly entered the study, to see Jeremiah Wolfram fast asleep and snoring noisily in his chair by the fire.

“I took the precaution of adding extra Brandywine to the port, he won’t wake!” Young William said to his father.

Carefully creeping under the desk, William drew out the box containing all the papers that he’d told his father about, and Sir William picked it up and they left the room.

After spending a good hour reading them, Sir William was beside himself, there was nothing left – money gone, IOU’s to various gambling cronies, and then he came upon the paper that practically ‘given’ away half of the house, £7000………



*****************


Sir William tried to think clearly – before he’d gone on this campaign for Queen Elizabeth, he’s had nearly £20,000…now it seemed all he had were the clothes he stood up in…

“Papa…papa, you must have a little supper” William touched his father’s arm.

William turned his sad gaze onto his son.

“My son…I have failed you – I should never have trusted my half-brother to have you best interests at heart – and it seems now we have nothing left!”

Young William smiled and said,

“Don’t worry so papa, you must see Lord Agnew, Her Majesty’s most trusted servant, and explain to him what has happened, and tell him that Sir Jasper is in plot to bankrupt you and is plotting against the queen – he will HAVE to take notice of you then!”

William sat up and gave his son a quizzical look

“My – my goodness William! – But how do I, I mean, I have no evidence”

“I hear him talk with his co-conspirators – there’s a man called Catesby, he’s a Catholic from Yorkshire – they speak in codes, but I hear them talking about the ‘old ways’ – they need to be watched else our good name could be dragged under by association and then we’d all hang for treason, get word to Lord Agnew, he has the queens ear on everything, she trusts him implicitly!”

Sir William’s eyes nearly popped he opened them so wide

“Gracious my child!

“I urge you father, let no more time delay, and contact Lord Agnew before…”

Young William’s words trailed off as the sound of horse’s hooves could be heard in the courtyard.

“Go to your mother William, and lock yourself and Miss Rosenberg in the bedchamber, and do not come out until I fetch you”

“Yes papa” William quickly scampered away to do his father’s bidding.


From over the banisters, Sir William saw his half-brother come staggering into the great hall, a bottle of port in one hand, and his arm around an almost equally drunk Drusilla. From out of his pockets, money fell, and the drunken couple were laughing.

“S-see…tried – he TR-I-I-I (hic) tried to say…that the (hic) DECK WAS M-MARKED, BUT – whoops………” Drusilla nearly fell over, and they began giggling.

“What a DISGUSTING sight you are!” Sir William’s voice rang out loud and clear in the hallway.

Giggling stopped, and Sir Jasper looked up and saw his half-brother coming down the stairs towards him, looking furious. Drusilla shrank back, she was petrified.

“Will (hic) – Will-yam! What are….wha are you doin’ (hic) ‘ere?” Jasper slurred, his speech barely coherent.

“Shall I take that sir?” One of the footmen, used to Sir Jasper coming home in this state gently tried to prize the bottle out of his hand

“No, no, leave me ‘lone!” Jasper resisted the servant’s attempts ro relieve him of the bottle

“That will be all Andrews, I’ll see to the sot!” Turning in surprise at his lord and masters voice the footman said,

“SIR WILLIAM! I didn’t know you were at home sire, I’m so dreadfully sor-“

“That will be all, Andrews, you may go!” William said, and the footman thanked him, bowed and left

“And you – go to your room! NOW, WHILE YOU STILL HAVE ONE!” William positively barked at Drusilla, who took off up the stairs like a scalded cat.

“Will –yam, Will-yam…(hic)…wha’s with all the shoutin’ come let me embra-(hic) embrace you!”

“The ONLY thing I’d touch you with, is the sharp end on my sword, and by the lord is my witness sir, if it wasn’t for the disgusting state you are in I’d challenge you to a sword fight right here and now and have your hide for what you’ve done to my family!”

Angel was staggering about, trying to get some sort of coherent thought together

“Whassamarra? – House is here…wifey’s all snug…brats are well brats…”

Angel tried to reason and shrug, he ended up spilling port on the floor

“Oh now (hic) l-look…spill-led- spill-lil-led it!”

Sir William was now at the bottom of the stairs, his fists clenched

“You have slowly and systematically gambled away every penny of MY money, you have seen fit to try and poison my wife, and you have raised your hand to my child, and for that alone I should have your very hide!”

“Your, your, your! – Wha ‘bout me, huh? Where was mine!”

“YOU gambled all your money away – then you have the temerity to start on mine, while falsifying documents, and signatures – you’ll go to the debtors prison and think yourself lucky!”

“Huh! Tha’ stupid lawyer- Wolf (hic) Wolfram couldn’t keep his (hic) mouth shut! Well, I’ll kill ‘im, then I’ll kill you!”

At this Sir Jasper saw red, there was NO WAY he was going to a debtors prison! He smashed the port bottle against the wall and lunged at his half-brother, who had no weapon to defend himself.

They struggled, Sir Jasper slightly gained the upper hand because of his sheer bulk, but William managed to kick his legs fro under him and in his highly inebriated state Jasper fell, cutting his face on the broken bottle, and passing out cold.

Sir William noticed he had a slight cut to his arm, but it didn’t matter, he instructed the footmen to lock Sir Jasper in his room. And under NO circumstances was he to be let out without his permission.



The following morning, Sir William instructed Willow to pack all of Drusilla’s things and to set her in a carriage back to her uncle Ethan’s.

Meanwhile, up all night, William had written various letters to whom it concerned, that any gambling debts incurred by Sir Jasper wouldn’t be honoured by him, his half-brother Sir William, as he too had been a victim of crimes perpetrated by Jasper.

He then wrote to the Lord Agnew and sent it with Sam to London.

Sir William then proceeded to write to the other partner of the Lawyer Jeremiah Wolfram, a Mr Myles Hart, to tell him of his partner’s dubious dealings with Sir Jasper.

After all this was done, Sir William dosed and waited for Sir Jasper to rouse himself from his slumbers………
Chapter 13 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 13


The following morning, after bidding a good morning to his wife, family and Willow, Sir William partook his breakfast, he had some bread and cold sliced meat, and a dish of warmed milk.

Breakfast over he strode over to his half-brother’s apartment, where the footman dutifully unlocked the door for him. The maid knocked and came in with a jug of water to fill the washbasin.

“Please sir, the water is cold, is that right?”

“It is, pour it, then you may go!” Sir William said, looking disgustedly at his snoring, drunken half-brother…

The maid quickly complied with her master’s wishes, poured the water, curtseyed and left.

“Right, about time you woke up I think!”

Sir William grabbed his half-brother by the scalp, and doused his head in the cold water.

It didn’t take long, and after a few seconds Sir Jasper was trying to lift his face out of the cold water and he was struggling wildly, the water was slopping everywhere, until at last William yanked Jasper’s head up and put the basin down

“Good morning, dear half-brother – sleep well?”

“Why you – just you WAIT until I get my hands on you – I’ll KILL YOU!” Jasper roared, then he began coughing and spluttering – his head hurt like nothing else and he just about managed to stagger over to where he kept a bottle of brandy. Pulling the cork out with his teeth, he spat the cork out on the rug, and raised the bottle to his lips. The coughing had left his throat sore and the brandy burned its way down, causing yet more coughing and rawness………

“I just thought I’d let you know, that I’ve written to all your creditors, and told them any hopes they had on me cancelling your debts by paying them myself, and they could consider themselves even more stupid than you, and that’s saying something! I also advise you to get yourself a horse and find the quickest way out of the village – I’ve sent word to the queen how you and your cronies are plotting against her – I’ve sent letters as proof – the queen knows I have been away on a campaign – so all in all dear half-brother, I really rather wouldn’t be in your shoes, if I were you”

Jasper stood, fists clenched, anger raging through him, he thundered,

“This isn’t over between us – I’ll have what’s rightfully mine – you see if I don’t!”

“That’s right, you will, and the only thing I can see for you is the debtors prison – which is what you FULLY deserve – be gone by lunchtime, else I’ll have anything left of yours in the house burned, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?”

Sir Jasper’s eyes flashed with seething anger, but he said nothing except a ‘yes, I’ve got it’…yanking open a closet door, he then felt under the bed to get the big trunk to pack away all his belongings…

*******************


“But, but uncle…I am with-child! You cannot throw me out!” Drusilla begged her uncle Ethan.

“Why not, that good-for-nothing gambling son of a whore felt fit to get rid of you!”

“But uncle – he – he doesn’t know I’m…”

“Then tell HIM! He’s responsible, I take it!”

“But of course he is!!” Drusilla wrung her hands

“Then go – tell HIM!” her Uncle Ethan looked from Drusilla to the coachman unloading her cases into the courtyard and added,

“And you can re-load those cases my good man, for she’s NOT staying here!”

“Sorry sir, orders is orders, my master told me to bring her and her things here, he didn’t say anything about bringing her back!” the coach driver dumped her last trunk on the path, climbed into his seat and took off. After watching the coach disappear down the path for a few seconds, Drusilla turned to her uncle and said,

“Uncle, I’m so sorry about this, but there’s obviously been a misunderstanding, and-“

“Have you any money?”

“I’m sorry?”

“I don’t want you to be sorry, I just want to know, if you have any money?” Ethan repeated.

A drunken flash went through Drusilla’s mind, and she imagined her Angel stuffing notes down her front.

Quickly fishing down her top, she pulled out two badly crumpled five pound notes. Ethan’s eyes nearly popped at this, and he quickly grabbed them and said,

“Yes, well, I suppose you can stay a week or two!” It was more money than he’d seen in a long while…

Drusilla didn’t know whether to be angry or sad, £10 was sure a hell of a lot of money………

Seeing she was going to get no help from her uncle in carrying her trunks, she sighed and began to drag the heaviest into the house.

********************


Sir Jasper, still half drunk, was reeling at the latest events. He desperately needed to talk to Wolfram, and he needed a place to stay. It was no good, the ONLY place he could go, was to Drusilla’s uncle’s………he didn’t want to stay there too long, the girl had already got idea’s that they were going to marry, and he wanted to nip THAT idea in the bud, but without appearing to be a cad………

*************



Looking at Drusilla, exhausted sleeping on the floor Ethan answered the door. He was surprised to see Sir Jasper there………

“YOU! You are the LAST person I expected to see here!” Angel frowned, but said nothing to jeopardise a roof over his head…

“Why is that sir, I KNEW that Drusilla would make for here, for you are her only living relative”

Thinking that Sir Jasper’s intentions towards his niece might be honourable after all, Ethan let Sir Jasper in.

“I’ll need to stay here a while, until I am sorted…”

“It takes money you know” Ethan said

“I’ve have already given you £10 pounds uncle, that should feed us well and keep us in comfort this next month at least!”

Sir Jasper gratefully looked past Ethan’s shoulder to Drusilla. She yawned, rubbing her eyes, She looked cold, tired and vulnerable.

“Aye, that it will…but only a month mind – I have obligations too”

Not entirely happy at this turn of events, suddenly having two lodgers sprung upon him, Ethan left the two others alone.

“My darling – you came for me – what is our plan?” Drusilla asked brightly, flinging er arms around ‘her angel’ as she called him.

Sir Jasper knew he’d have to be shrewd and careful, he didn’t want her to suspect as soon as he’d got himself a berth somewhere- preferably miles from here, he’d be off………

Kissing her forehead he said,

“Of COURSE I came for you, my love, what would you expect from me!”

Drusilla wondered whether to tell him now, or to wait until later, to tell him of the great news, that she was carrying his baby……………
Chapter 14 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 14

“You haven’t answered my question! – I want to know how much money my swindling swine of an half-brother has stolen off me – with your help I hasten to add!” William gave Wolfram a hard stare, leaning towards him, both hands on the table

“I- I um, er sir, to my knowledge, I er-“

“Out with it man!”

“About £20,000”

“About?”

“£19, 894, 7s 9d, to be precise!”

“What have I got left?”

“Apart from the house – very little, the stables, horses – paintings and furniture – of course, I wasn’t able to liquidise your wife’s assets, so Sir jasper wasn’t able to borrow against them - they don’t come to her until she is 25”

William brightened slightly at this, he’d forgotten about Buffy’s inheritance.

“And that will be?”

“In the region of £5,000, sir”

“Well that’s something. Tell me, who is Jasper’s biggest debt to?”

“That would be to Lord Athelborough on the Burleigh Estate – you, ahem, I mean Sir Jasper owes him £8,000 – he expects to get the deeds to half the house before the end of the month”

“Well he’ll just have to expect, he can’t have what he’s not entitled to – he didn’t own half of this house in the first place – and if Lord Athelborough was under that impression, then he’s sadly mistaken – I cannot and will not allow my half-brother to undermine me and what’s mine, he’s responsible for his debts, not me.

Who else does he owe?”

“Several sir…besides the butcher and the vintner”

Pass his address on to them, again I have not been here, I will not pay for things I have not had!”

“What address?”

“Find out – I should imagine you can begin at Drusilla’s uncle homestead”

Outside, William could hear horses hooves on the cobbles. A few minutes later, one of the footmen appeared with a letter on a silver salver for William.

Taking it, William read that he was to be commended for bravery in battle, and had saved hundreds of soldiers lives with his battle strategy. This good news bought with it the promise of a medal and a payment of £10,000! William could have almost wept with joy – he dashed to his wife’s bedchamber to tell them of his good news.

“My husband – you had such a look of despair when you left this morning after breakfast – indeed I feared for your sanity as such a melancholia became you and-“

“Hush my darling, I have great news, we are not ruined after all! I am to receive a medal, with this medal comes a payment of £10,000, and with your inheritance in a few months, we will be able to continue to live here”

“It was in doubt?” Buffy asked surprised

“You do not know the half of what my wicked step-brother has been up to my love, but none of that matters now, just so long as I have you and my children, and your good health and can give you a decent roof over our heads…”

*********************


“What is your intensions sir?” Ethan asked Sir Jasper.

Sir Jasper didn’t like to be questioned, he didn’t like to be questioned by ANYBODY let alone this weasely little runt like Drusilla’s uncle, whom he thought of as less than a servant.

“About what?”

“Well, your creditors will soon catch up with you if you stay here – and the place isn’t big enough, especially not now, given the circumstances”

Sir Jasper put down his mug of wine and frowned

“What are you on about, hmm? What circumstances?”

“Given that my niece is with-child – don’t tell me she hasn’t told you yet? I can’t have a baby in this house, I need it for my own business and guh – errk! Le-go, leggo- you’re chok-ing me!” Scrabbling with his fingers at the hand that was cutting off his air-supply, Ethan’s feet were barely touching the floor, Sir Jasper’s big meaty hand crushing at his scrawny windpipe. There was a muffled thump from the next room, and then the sound of breaking glass. Jasper dropped Ethan like a rag doll and went to investigate.

Ethan fell on the floor, he had spots before his eyes, he was heaving and choking for breath, coughing and spluttering. He rubbed his bruised neck, and he could hear in the next room

“You clumsy BITCH! – We could have sold that!”

Drusilla shrieked at the back-hander Jasper lashed across her face

“Angel – Angel – you HIT me!”

“I’ll do more than hit you, you whore – how DARE you get pregnant!”

“But I thought you’d be pleased! – When we are married we can be a proper family, and –“

“Let’s get one thing straight, I have not got ANY intention to marry you, I never have had, and I never will – you think I’d want a poor excuse of whore like YOU to be my bride, huh? – I mean, look at the state of you!”

Instead of reducing her to tears, Drusilla seemed to have a red mist come before her eyes, and she leapt at Sir Jasper, knocking them both to the floor, where upon she ‘came-to’ after several minutes, she was sitting on Sir Jasper’s back, repeatedly banging his head on the floor in the broken glass, his long greasy locks entwined through her fingers…

She climbed off him, and kicked him hard in the face, but got no reaction
Wondering what to do next, she went into the other room to see her uncle shakily taking a drink

“You can both leave – I will not have that man under my roof-“

“He can rot…why did you tell him uncle – why? I wanted to tell him when *I* was ready!”

Ethan eyed her bruised cheek and said,

“Huh, and do you think that the news would have been better received at any other time, do you?

They both heard a groaning from the other room

“Say nothing uncle, but I promise he won’t stay”

“Make sure he doesn’t”

Ethan made a mental note to take to bed his sharpest blade with him, just in case.

******************


Drusilla sat on a chair keeping a careful eye on Sir Jasper.

When it was clear he was coming round, she went over to him and said gently

“Come on my love – my Angel to bed!” Not knowing where the hell he was, sir Jasper staggered to his feet. His face and whole head hurt like hell, and he mumbled something.

“Don’t worry sweetheart, nearly there………open the door and --- GET OUT AND STAY OUT!” With one almighty shove, Drusilla shoved the still drunken hulk out of the door, where he promptly fell over – he was out cold. She bolted the door and shifted the heavy table across it. She felt a pain in her stomach, and heaved for a calming breath – at least she could sleep now.

She moved to the other back room, poked the dying embers of the fire, and lay down on an over-stuffed couch. She pulled a thick soft rug over herself and fell into a fitful sleep.

She woke to a clattering and hearing a dog barking outside, she could hear Jasper cursing and swearing, but luckily he made no move to knock at the door.

Ethan looked out of the small window and saw Jasper stumbling about in the yard, saw him fall over and not get up. Well at least his niece kept her promise, and didn’t let the drunken sot stay the night.

Seeing her on the sofa, Ethan did feel a twinge of pity for the poor girl, it was just like so called ‘gentry’ to make free and then blame the girl for getting pregnant

“Dru…DRU”

“Uh –oh, uncle – I didn’t let-“

“It’s okay, I know. Go to my room – you can have a sleep in my bed, go on, I’ll bring you a dish of milk later”

“Thankyou uncle!” Drusilla went to Ethan’s room. Ethan knew that the farm hand, a monster sized man would be here any minute, and although a gentle giant, it would be enough him being around the place to stop Sir Jasper from starting any ‘funny business’.
Chapter 15 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Sorry this has been a long time in coming - one more chapter to go, then a new story
Chapter 15


Young William sat in the nursery knowing his time there was nearly done.

“William, have you finished all your French verbs?” Miss Rosenberg asked, but she was smiling – William’s attention kept on being drawn to outside, she knew he was waiting his father’s return eagerly.

At the sound of horses hooves on the cobbles William jumped up and looked out of the window

“Father!” William looked up and smiled and waved at his son

“Did you see Lord Agnew?” Young William called out.

“All in good time my son – I will see you when you have finished morning lessons!”

William dutifully wrote down all the words Miss Rosenberg asked him, and she hadn’t got the heart to delay him any longer, and she said that would do for the day – William raced out of the nursery and down to the drawing room where he knew his father would be.


*************************


With a grunt, Sir Jasper turned over, and landed with a thump on the floor. He looked round the dingy room and blinked – where the hell was he? A vinegary smell of sour beer hit his nostrils, or rather nostril, the other was caked with dried blood…

Pulling the sacking that roughly covered the wooden shutter and opening it up, Jasper peered out into the bright day trying to get his barings. Blinking into the sunshine he could see cobbles………suddenly something nudged him from behind, and whinnied.

Nearly jumping out of his skin, Sir Jasper saw he was in a stable – but where, he hadn’t a clue…of all the indignities! HIM, Sir Jasper, reduced to sleeping in a stable of all things! There were voices and he quickly closed the shutter

“Yes uncle, I PROMISE you, and if he DOES come round, well, I shan’t open the door”

“See that you don’t – I shall be back this afternoon”

Footsteps across the cobbles were getting closer to the stable, so Sir Jasper quickly went and hid behind some straw bales. Light flooded the stable and he heard a voice say,

“Come on old lad………” He watched as Drusilla’s uncle Ethan slipped a saddle on the horse and mount it, riding off.

Squinting out into the yard, Sir Jasper could just make out the figure of Drusilla at the well fetching water.

Slowly he stood, brushed as much straw and bits off him as he could and he walked out into the yard.

Totally oblivious, Drusilla la-la’ed a tune as she wound the bucket up full of water. It wasn’t until she saw the man-shaped shadow on the ground that she jumped and turned around, she held her arm up to shield her eyes from the glare of the sun and said,

“Oh – OH, it’s you! – You startled me!”

“Where’s my money?”

Drusilla looked at him with frightened eyes

“M-money? – I-I don’t know w-what you mean!” Sir Jasper walked menacingly towards her and Dru moved around putting the well between her and the brute of a man – she could see him clenching and un-clenching his fists…

“MY money – I gave you £10 to look after, I put it in a very safe place didn’t I?”

Drusilla had a ‘flashback’ of Sir jasper drunkenly stuffing the white five pound notes down into her bosom of her low cut dress…the same two five pound notes she’d given to her uncle so she could stay with him.

“I-I don’t know what –when – you didn’t, I have nothing!”

She’d been hoping and praying that he’d been so drunk that he wouldn’t have remembered – but then she should have known better, Sir Jasper wouldn’t have forgotten where he put his last farthing…

Still moving towards her menacingly, Drusilla was wildly looking around to see if there was something she could hit him with if she didn’t have time to get back to the relative safety of the house – a few stones...there was the bucket of water she quickly thought, and reached for it, but it was heavy and on a hook

“Oh no you don’t! Now c’mere you little bitch!” Sir Jasper made a dive for her and Dru ran the other way picking up her skirts she ran towards the house, but he caught up with her just before the step

Plunging his hand down her dress to her soft breasts with his rough dirty hands he hurt her. Drusilla began to cry and beg, trying to push him off her

She was using what little strength she had left trying to get his hand from down her dress, which began to rip, when his other hand caught her around the throat

“You thieving, stinking little whore – give me what’s rightfully mine or I’ll kill you – do you hear me – I said I’ll – “

Eyes bulging, she scrabbled at his hand around her small neck, her feet were off the ground she could see spots before her eyes and suddenly there was a loud crack, and everything went black.

Sir Jasper felt her neck break – he stared at her for a few seconds and let go – she dropped like a rag doll into a heap at his feet – her head at an odd angle

“Drusilla? – Dru?” Without even touching her again, he knew she was dead.

“Oh god – Oh god I didn’t mean to – OH!” Backing away, he stumbled, held his hand to him mouth and turned to run. He vomited, panting he wretched and coughed, heaving for breath, trying to think clearly.

It was obvious he would be the prime suspect – they’d hunt him down like the dog he was, he wouldn’t be able to find peace anywhere, no money, and nowhere to go.

Edging back to the house, he stepped over the body and went inside

He opened a few cupboards and found some drink – a half bottle of some gut-rot spirit, but it would do for the moment…he had to think, had to think clearly – he didn’t know how much time he’d have until her uncle came back. Swigging out of the bottle and idea came to him – he’d make it look like an accident! Yes – she was at the well – could she have fallen in – no, no it was too small…could she have fallen in the house?

He looked around – nothing for her to trip on, just the table and three chairs…he looked towards the fireplace – there was no fire, but sticks had been laid – obviously for a fire later on.

He opened the door that lead to the bedroom; there was nothing suitable to – oh god NO! That was the last thing he wanted – Ethan was back!
The sound of horse’s hooves on the cobbles alerted him to that fact, and he dashed into the bedroom and closed the door, peering through a crack

“Dru – DRU – what happened – Oh goodness, fainting fits…all this comes when you’re with-child, you should have a man to look after-Dru…Dru? – Oh god, oh no – oh god no!” Ethan stood shakily from bending over the girl – she was cold, and very dead. Immediately Ethan’s thoughts went to Sir Jasper.

He swallowed and wondered what to do; he was shaking like a leaf. With hands that wouldn’t keep still, he fumbled for the knife he had in his belt, just in case the brute was still about

Sir Jasper tried to see what Ethan was doing, and as he shifted to open the door a little more, he knocked something over

He froze

Ethan’s shaky hand clamped around the handle of his knife

“Alright, I know you’re still here – you better come out!” Ethan said, as strongly as he could

Sir jasper looked around for an escape – the window was far too tiny, barely a foot square…there was no use, he’d have to try and bluff his way out

“Is that you Ethan – oh thank the lord – I came for Drusilla, I have rooms in town, and I found…found her like – oh gods! She’s dead- and carrying my child too!” Sir Jasper tried to look stricken

“You! YOU did this!” Ethan waved the blade under Sir Jasper’s nose

“Don’t be ridiculous! We were to be wed!”

“You can’t fool me – not after the way you treated her the other night, she was just an embarrassment to you and – oof!”

Sir Jasper shoved the heavy table towards Ethan, and it caught him square in his middle, knocking him over

Ethan tried to back away, turned onto his knees and went to stand but something heavy crashed onto his back, knocking him flat, face first on the floor.

“You won’t….get away with…ah – ugh!”

Sir Jasper hit him with the chair again, knocking him out completely. He was panicking – there was no way Ethan could live now – he’d rat on him – there was nothing else for it, he’d have to kill him too – but how – he hadn’t meant to kill Dru…

Sir Jasper picked up the knife Ethan had threatened him with and walked towards Drusilla’s uncle…he raised the knife but couldn’t plunge it into his back. He felt sick again…the blade was sharp, he could cut his throat perhaps…he bent but Ethan began to stir and Jasper jumped away.

Jasper picked up the chair again and bought it crashing down on Ethan’s head, knocking him out again.

“Think…come on, think man!” Jasper chided himself. He spied the bottle he’d been swigging out of earlier and reached for it, but knocked it over. Cursing he righted the bottle, but there was hardly anything left.

Outside the horse whinnied and nodded it’s head – Jasper could see there were to full bags either side of the saddle

He went out and looked

Candles, bread, drink – he took a bottle in each hand and strode back into the cottage

It was getting dark, and Jasper had just kept knocking Ethan out – when he was drunk enough, he’d pluck up the courage to kill him………

Trying to light one of the candles, it fell on the floor, and ignited the drink that he’d spilled earlier – the rug went up and was soon alight

Unsteadily, Jasper stood, then smiled - fire! Of course, why didn’t he think of it sooner?

Pouring the rest of the booze over everything (including Ethan) the room soon caught alight.

Dragging in Drusilla’s body too, Jasper left and closed the door smiling as he gave them barely a glance – he’d get – no, GOT away with it there would be no one to tell on him now, and no proof it was him………


**********************


“Father!” William ran to his father, who caught him up and hugged him close

“Did you speak with Lord Agnew father – did you?”

William smiled and ruffled his son’s hair

“Yes my son I did, and I told him everything – there is a warrant out for Sir Jaspers arrest – the whole army are on the look-out for him!”

William beamed at his father

“There are my two handsome men!”

“Mother!”

“My love, are you strong enough?”

Elizabeth beamed as she came carefully down the stairs

“Too long have I idled in bed!”

“Not idled exactly!”

“I fancied a turn about the garden – it’s such a beautiful day!”

“Then a walk we shall have my love!” She took her husband’s arm and her son’s hand and they went outside.

When they were on the lawn, William looked up and saw Miss Rosenberg holding his younger sister

“Father, can I go and fetch Miss Rosenberg and my sister – it’s such a lovely day!”

William smiled at his son

“Of course!”

Young William ran to the house – before he knew it, he was standing by the priest hole panel. He smiled, pushed it open and crawled inside – he felt the tumbling sensation and then a small bump. He looked down at himself and saw his familiar tee shirt, shorts and sneakers. He pushed lightly against the panel and it flipped up. Crawling out Billy stood up, and closed the panel, there was nobody else in the corridor…
chapter 16 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 16


Billy stood up looked down the corridor both ways, he could hear the voice of the guide, then he saw his mom…

“Come on Billy, keep up!” She stood for a few seconds with her hands on her hips, but she was smiling.

Grinning too, Billy scampered down the hall and turned right to hear Deborah Carling say,

“And here we are again, back in the Great Hall – now are there any questions?”

One of the little old Scottish ladies asked

“What happened to Sir Jasper Blackmore – do you know?”

“Ah, the devilish Sir Jasper, everybody always wants to know about THAT cad! We believe he was hanged for treason”

“No, he wasn’t” Young Billy piped up, and everybody turned and looked at him, the people parting to turn fully

“I’m sorry?” Miss Carling said, with a smile

“You said Sir Jasper was hanged for treason, he wasn’t – he was hanged for the murder of Miss Drusilla D’Evarle – he’d traced her back to her uncles house, strangled her, then he tried to kill the uncle too so he wouldn’t get caught out in the crime of murder - and get rid of any evidence of his doing by setting fire to the place” Billy said clearly

“Really, this is news to me!” Deborah Carling said

Billy nodded and said quite definitely,

“It’s true – but the uncle, Ethan Raine, although badly battered and burned managed to drag himself from the burning building and get himself onto his horse, which took him to the village, where he raised the alarm – about his cottage and what Sir Jasper had done to his niece, the locals dashed to the cottage, and it was saved from totally burning down, but Ethan Raine died of his injuries a few days later – the soldiers easily picked up Sir Jasper, he was sleeping rough as he had no money, and he was tried and sentenced to death – he was hanged two days later and the warrant for his arrest for treason was cancelled”

“Well! That is FACINATING!” Deborah Carling beamed at the young lad, as was everybody else.

“My son huh, ALWAYS got his nose in a book!” Buffy said, ruffling Billy’s hair.

After putting another few ‘inaccuracies’ right that Miss Carling had got wrong, Billy eventually went outside and joined everybody

“The lady said I could come here anytime – for free!”

“And how do you know such things, was it that book you bought in Cockington?” Sam asked with a grin

“Sought of!” Billy said

When nobody else was listening and talking to each other Billy went up to his dad

“Dad, I’ve had SUCH an adventure!” Spike smiled and looked at his son

“Did you – well I’m glad you enjoyed it!”

“I was there – really there – I had on knickerbockers and a lace thing round my neck, and a tight waistcoat – and Sir Jasper and Lady D’Evarle was trying to poison mom – well she looked like mom, and aunty Willow was there as my governess, and Sam was the stable groom and uncle Xander was a footman!”

Spike smiled

“Were they – gosh, sounds as if you DID have a real adventure!”

“Come on you two, keep up, else we’ll eat all the lunch!” Buffy called

Billy and his dad caught up with everyone as they walked over the footbridge to the picnic area.

They sat at two of the picnic tables and spread out the lunch. While they were busily eating, Deborah Carling came out and spoke to them

“We were fascinated by what young Billy was telling us, and the current Lord Blackmore said that Billy can come here anytime he likes, this is a free pass for him, and an adult of course – and if he has any other stories to tell, well, we’d be fascinated to hear them!”

Billy beamed and took the free pass, remembered his manners impeccably and thanked her

“I can tell you lots of stories – real stuff, not made up!”

Buffy smile/frowned and shook her head at Spike, who grinned and shrugged, then he whispered to her,

“He told me he was there, really there, Willow was his governess, Sam was a groom at the stables, Sir Jasper and this Drusilla D’Evarle were trying to poison you…” Buffy’s brows rose, she smiled and whispered back

“Well…he does seem to know an awful lot about the place, that’s for sure!”

“We’ll get him to tell us more when we get home” Buffy nodded.

**************

Home at last, Spike carried his sleeping daughter up the path

“Hey, there’s a light on” Spike opened the door

“Hmm…smell that!” Izzie stirred and woke, rubbing her eyes

“Hello my darlings!”

“Aunty Peggy – you’ll never guess what – the latest Lord at Blackmore Hall has given me a free pass to go there any time I want to – because I told them what had really happened when the guide lady had got some things wrong!”

“Did you darling – you ARE a clever boy!” She drew him into her large arms giving him a cuddly-hug.

Peggy then looked up at Buffy

“Hope you don’t mind love, I thought I’d come and put those bedding plants in for you as it was half-day closing, then I thought that you’d possibly be hungry after all that walking about, so I’ve roasted you a leg of pork – it’ll need another hour to crisp up the crackling, and I’ve prepared the veggies for you, see?”

Buffy smiled as she could see saucepans full of peeled potatoes, carrots, prepared broccoli and green beans all ready to boil

“There’s apple sauce and homemade sage and onion stuffing too” Peggy said

“YOU are an angel!” Buffy said, also spying a Victoria sponge-cake oozing raspberry jam on a plate on the side, along with some freshly baked sultana scones and some lemon and coconut buns…

“Oh Lordy I’m going to get SO FAT!” Willow said grinning and patting her tummy!

Buffy insisted that Peggy and Sam stay, after all there was plenty to go round, and then after Peggy was more than happy to baby sit while they went to the pub.

“Your aunt is an angel – that was such a delicious dinner!”

Spike spread himself out on the seat in the pub, he put his arm around Buffy and they sat chatting

While they were chatting, Spike noticed this guy who was helping him with his new book and he went and introduced Buffy to him.

This gave Willow and Sam a chance to talk privately.

“The week has gone by SO quickly!” Willow said

“I know…”

“Only got another one to go”

“Don’t” Sam said quietly Willow looked at him, but Sam was looking at his shoes

She reached for his hand and he took hers and gently squeezed it.

“Let’s not spoil things by thinking of me leaving yet”

“I’ll drink to that!” Sam said looking up and smiling – he looked deeply into her eyes and snatched a quick kiss. Buffy had been looking over at them realised that their talk seemed serious…

“Buffy?” she looked up and waved to the guy who was now heading for the door

“What – Oh sorry, miles away, bye, nice meeting you” Spike turned to Buffy

“That’ll be great, won’t it!”

“Sorry – I wasn’t listening…I was thinking…those two look awfully serious”

“Who two – oh…golly yes, they do”

Willow and Sam were gazing into each other’s eyes, totally oblivious to anybody else in the pub.

“You’re gonna have to think of something to cheer him up when she goes, you know”

“Yeah, I’ve been a bit worried about that, he seems as though he’s fallen for her awfully hard”

“Sure has…anyway come on lets get back to them before those mental arrows that Aussie barmaid is flinging their way actually start materialising! – What was great anyway, you said that’ll be great when thingy left just?”

“Oh that, he’s found out more photographs for me of the exact area I want too”

“Good – so who’s round is it?” Buffy said, nudging Sam in the back before sitting down

“Huh – oh mine if you say so” Sam stood and went to the bar

“Must be love, it was my round!” Spike said with a grin and Willow went very red.

*******************

The rest of holiday passed in a blur, with Sam being a permanent fixture either at the cottage or on their outings with the family, and when the day came for Willow to leave, well, there were tears practically all round.

A week after she’d gone, despite the nightly phone calls, Sam was still like a bear with a sore head. He and Spike were in the garage doing an oil-change on the old van. Or rather, they were TRYING to, Spike had long left Sam to it …………………

“Sodding, bloody thing – ahh!” The sound of the spanner hitting the garage floor, and Sam angrily cradling bloodied knuckles to his chest had Buffy raising her eyebrows as she bought in two mugs of coffee for them.

“Problem?”

“Bloody thing’s rusted in, I can’t shift it!”

“And what bloody thing rusted in would that be, hmm?”

Spike stood leaning against the garage wall, he shrugged and sipped his coffee.

“That nut there, holding the oil-filter in place………bloody, sodding, blinding thing, I wish to god I hadn’t ever started on the – oh, is that me? – Yes- hold on…oh, it’s Willow, I MUST take this!”

His face now wreathed in smiles, Sam strode out of the garage to take his call.

Buffy picked up the spanner and without much effort she loosened the nut.

“I was going to do that!” Spike said, grinning

“Well, I’ve saved you the bother. Anyway, I’m off to take Izzie to the playgroup, so I’ll see you at lunchtime. I’ll bring something in, shall I? - Pasties or something?”

“Great. Oh look, by the look on his face, it’s good news” Spike nodded towards his friend. Buffy looked at Sam, who was now striding back towards the garage, grinning ear to ear.

“Guess what, she’s coming home!”

“What?” Buffy and Spike asked together, confused

“My Willow, silly! – She’s moving to Exeter University for her final year, so she’ll be moving back here, she’s coming back home here to me, isn’t that great!”


The End (For now)
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=12833