Dark Shadows by Blood Faerie
Summary: My newest Spuffy fic. This one is a crossover into the Chistine Feehan's Carpathian series universe. Spike is a Carpathian (pretty much a souled vampire) and Buffy is his human lifemate. Don't need to be familiar with the Carpathian universe to read this and enjoy, things are explained to the reader as they are explained to Buffy.
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Horror, Parody
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 14291 Read: 2995 Published: 07/31/2005 Updated: 09/28/2005

1. Chapter One by Blood Faerie

2. Chapter Two by Blood Faerie

3. Chapter Three by Blood Faerie

Chapter One by Blood Faerie


Dark Shadows


~Chapter One~

AN: You don't need to be familiar with or a fan of Christine Feehan's Carpathian series to enjoy this cross-over. Pretty much everything you need to know about Carpathians will be revealed to the reader as he explains it to Buffy, so I'm sure you can still enjoy it. Not to mention, there are always mysterious factors to stories and people still read them, lol. Though, I am a nice person, so if you would like further info and think you might like the books (which are romance novels of the vampirish variety) then feel free to email me.





Buffy tossed her backpack over her shoulder and filed out of the classroom along with the other students. It had already gotten dark because of the shorter winter days. The street lights that dotted the campus were just coming on as she made her way towards the apartments. The light wind ruffled her the loose blonde curls around her face and stung her skin with its coolness. She tugged her faux fur trimmed coat closer around her to keep her warm.

Her mind was mostly on the lesson she had just sat through and the homework she would have to complete before the next class, going over a few ideas she had for it. Hopefully she would remember those ideas once she got to her apartment. Then that led to her mind wandering to food. It was late and she hadn't really eaten all day like usual. She debated stopping at the cafeteria on her way back, but thought... nah... she didn't feel up to cafeteria food at the moment. Some sushi from the place down the street was calling her name. Her tummy gave its vote for crunch rolls and seafood rolls in the form of a nice sounding growl.

She chuckled and pulled her backpack back over her shoulder in front of her as she got closer to the apartments so that she could dig in the front pocket for her keys. She snagged them finally and replaced the bookbag, but paused just outside the parking lot. Something sickening had slithered into her belly and shoved aside her sushi cravings. For a moment she even thought she would be sick.

Worried eyes scanned the area. Evil. That's what she could feel.

Her stomach clenched and she hurried towards the forest green neon parked towards the back of the parking lot. She had gotten back late the night before which had meant the lot had been full and she had to park the farthest from the front doors of the apartment building. That was unfortunate because it also meant she was in the shade of trees, making deep shadows as the trees blocked the street lamps. She wondered briefly if the sushi was worth it, but she was closer to her car than she was to the apartments. So she might as well run to her car and quickly get in.

She was just getting to the car when she was wrenched away from the car and deeper into the shadows under the trees. The hands that held her arms were abnormally strong and she was unable to break free. But, that didn't alarm her as much as the fact that they were a deathly gray and resembles talons with their long sharp nails.

Her mouth stretched in a scream but one of those unearthly hands moved to clamp over her mouth before she could utter a sound. The most horrible stench she had ever smelt, the stench of death, filled her nose and made her gag as the creature behind her leaned in to whisper in her ear with a voice that grated like gravel. It set her teeth on edge.

"What do I have here? A female out and about unprotected." She could hear the sneer in his voice.

She was spun around to face the creature and immediately wished that it had left her without the imagery before her. The creature was little more than a rotting corpse, the eyes hollow except for glowing red. The mouth widened to reveal it's fangs, saliva dripping from their points as he leaned forward with intent.

She screamed in vain behind the muffling hand, struggling for all she was worth no matter how pointless it was. The creature was simply too strong and it looked like this was going to be it. Her eyes squeezed shut and she whimpered as she waited for the end.

The bite didn't come though. Then suddenly the hands released her and she stumbled back, falling to the ground near her car. She opened her eyes and shook her head clear, pushing her hair out of her face then peering back under the trees and trying to make out what was going on. Why she had been given a sudden reprieve, not that she was really complaining.

*****


Spike had been tracking this particular vampire for some time now and the creature had led him to this college campus. Didn't surprise him. Plenty of young co-eds for the creature to choose from for feeding on. He heard the muffled screams and whimpers coming from the trees near a parking lot and paused. Seems the vampire had already found a victim.

The droplets of mist traveling through the air condensed into the form of a man behind the vampire. The creature eclipsed the small female and kept her out of view, but it didn't matter. His whole being was focused on the creature he had sworn to destroy. He was a Carpathian hunter, sent out by their Prince to protect humans and Carpathians alike from those Carpathians who hadn't done the honorable and destroyed themselves before the darkness took over their souls, becoming vampires. His hair was bleached white and slicked back, didn't want it obscuring his vision during battle. He was fair unlike most Carpathians who were dark from their Eastern European heritage. His eyes were azure flames, intent on the creature and cool with surety that he would be victorious.

He darted forward and wrenched the creature away from the female before he could bite her. The vampire reeled around and slashed at him with his claws, going for his heart. Spike simply sidestepped and shifted his form into that of a leopard, leaping away as the vampire continued to try to slash at him.

The vampire sent white hot tongues of flame after the leopard, but the animal nimbly avoided them. He leapt at the vampire, bringing them both to the ground and biting at the creature savagely. His claws slashed at the vampire's chest, digging for the heart. The creature struggled to get up, though. So Spike took the first opportunity he saw to bite his large maw into the vampire's throat, tearing it open. He jumped back as the poisonous blood started to spray forth.

Spike reformed into human shape and lunged forward just as the vampire straightened, driving his hand through the chest of the creature. His fist emerged from the back clutching the still beating heart. He quickly tossed it aside as the body flopped around, spraying blood even more now. Spike called down lightning to destroy the remains of the vampire. He sent the fire dancing around to clean the blood from the area and then let it spring to himself to destroy the blood on himself.

Only then did he finally let his attention go to the female he saved, thinking to cleanse any blood from her as it was poisonous and burned. He would also have to alter her memory then send her to her apartment to sleep and wake up in the morning as if this had never happened. Probably feed off her first as he hadn't yet tonight and after such a battle he needed replenishing.

That is, he would have done that if he hadn't noticed that as he approached her and walked out of the shadows the greenness of the car behind her. The same greenness in the wide eyes staring up at him frightened after watching the powerful display. His brows furrowed and he reached out to touch the strands of hair that he could tell were golden now.

Buffy trembled and shied away from his hand. "What are you?"

At the sound of that lovely voice he stumbled. The world exploding into even more brilliant hues. So disorienting after centuries of colourless sight. His heart constricted and all those lost emotions he had once felt came rushing back into him. He gasped and stared at her, just as alarmed.

He had resigned himself as soon as he had gotten rid of that vampire he was going to greet the dawn. He had given up on finding his own lifemate, but there she stood. A human. But, it was no matter to him. She was his all the same. He had heard that lately many of the males of his people were finding renewed hope in psychic human females. Before now, they had little to no success with turning human females, but recently it was discovered if they had a psychic gift then turning was possible. Good for their race since there were so little females and so little children being born, and even then surviving past their first few years.

When he made no move to attack her, she got a bit bolder. She turned on her heal and started running across the parking lot as fast as her legs could carry her. She didn't get far when he seemingly appeared right in front of her and she had to skid to a stop before colliding with him. His hands caught her shoulders to steady her before she fell again, but didn't let go after she was steadied. He leaned in to inhale her scent, taking it in and ensuring he would be able to find her again no matter where.

She swayed towards him for a moment, seeming to be swept up in the same spell, but quickly snapping out of it. She jerked away from him with a frown and looked like she was going to bolt again. He couldn't allow that. Not after waiting to find this woman after centuries of colourless, emotionless existence and nearly ready to greet the dawn because he had all but given up hope, so close to losing his soul to the darkness.

"Sleep," he said simply, sending a hard compulsion with the word.

Spike caught her up into his arms as she started to fall over unconscious, cradling her slight body to him. His eyes studied her face briefly. The dark lashes laying against her soft cheeks. Her upturned nose. Her pouty lips. His thumb traced the full bottom lip tenderly before he took to the sky, heading towards the mountains where he had a large house hidden in the forest.

When he got there, he cleaned her with a thought as he went up to a bedroom. He tossed her backpack into a chair in the corner and laid her gently on the bed. He thought away her clothes and gave her body a brief appreciative look before he tucked her in snuggly. His lips brushed a kiss across her forehead and he reinforced the command to sleep, making sure she didn't awaken until the next night.

*****


Buffy fought through layers of grogginess. They pressed in on her like restraining hands, enticing her to stay down in peaceful rest. But, she new that wouldn't do. So she fought stubbornly and finally sat up, running her hands through her messy locks as she shoved away the last remnants of sleep. As the world came into focus, she realized she was naked beneath the covers in an alien room. Her brows shot up in alarm and memories from the night before came rushing back.

What had that thing been that attacked her? It was... there were no words to describe how disturbing and disgusting it had been. Luckily that man had come along to stop it. Man probably wasn't the right word for him, what with all those things he had been able to do. She supposed he had abducted her afterwards, though, judging by her strange surroundings. So, her luck had been short lived.

He had looked at her with such stark possessiveness and need after he did away with that other thing. It had been frightening and she had tried to flee. Which she should have known would have been futile with all those abilities he seemed to have and the fact he obviously wasn't going to let her just go.

Oh, but he was so breathtakingly handsome. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to belong to him. His intense blue eyes and full, sensuous lips. Those razor sharp cheekbones were lethal. She could tell even under that leather duster that he was built with powerful muscle. He moved with such feline grace. Ironic comparison after seeing him actually turn into a large cat during that battle. It was frightening and reassuring at the same time, all that power and strength. So far he seemed to be intent on using it to keep her safe.

No. Bad thoughts. She shook her head to clear them away and got up, glancing around for something to put on. Nothing. Where had he put her clothes? There was her bookbag, but no clothes. She blushed faintly at the idea he had seen her naked, but it quickly gave way to indignation that he had undressed her against her will while she had been unconscious. She needed to find him and give him a piece of her mind, or simply just find a way out of this place and get home. Either would have suited her.

So she wrapped the bedsheet around her and flounced out of the room, dragging her bookbag behind her as well as the end of the sheet. At the end of the hallway she found the staircase going down to the main floor, then the foyer that led to the front door. It was dusk outside, which she was okay with since then her walking around in a sheet would be less glaringly obvious. She headed for the door and jerked it open then went to simply leave.

But, it wasn't that simple. She hit an invisible barrier and bounced back. Her hands raised and she smacked them against the barrier angrily. Gah! She should have known, the sneaky little twerp! She gave an outraged growl and slammed the door closed before stomping down the foyer, searching the rooms for any sign of anyone else.

"Show your bleachy ass self NOW! I won't let you get away with kidnapping me... and you better not have taken advantage of me cause... I know karate! I do!" Well she did... but she doubted it would really scare the guy, whatever he was. "You can't just keep me here against my will! I want out now!" She stood in the dining room next to the kitchen and stomped her foot.

There was mocking male laughter coming from behind her and she spun around to face the back door. He stood there in all his glory, framed against the night wearing the same painted on black jeans and tee. The duster was gone. His tongue curled behind his teeth and head cocked slightly as his eyes swept over her. She was clutching the thin sheet around her and glaring at him with such fire in those green eyes.

"I can' let you go anywhere, pet. At least, not without me," he gave a self-satisfied smirk. "Another one of those blokes'd just show up an' try t' hurt you again."

Her lips twitched at the unexpected cockney accent. Then she remember her anger as she listened to what he said. "Blokes... that thing from last night?"

"Aye, was a vampire. Been trackin' him for awhile an' it led me t' your college. Thought he was jus' feedin', but it wasn' jus' a coincidence. Birds like you attract them. They think t' take you for their own, some think they can get their soul back an' others jus' want t' piss off your lifemate."

Steam about came from her ears as she overloaded. "What do you mean I attract vampires? And... their souls back... how would I give them their souls back and what's a lifemate?"

"Well that's the crux of it, pet. You are... you're a lifemate. Mine t' be exact. All Carpathians have them. Female lifemates are the light t' the darkness that resides in the males. We find them an' they keep the darkness from overtakin' our souls by bindin' them t' us. If a male doesn' find their lifemate, the darkness takes over their soul an' they become the creature that attacked you last night." He stepped fully into the dining room and closed the door behind him. "Most males do the honorable thing when they feel it's too close t' takin' over and destroy themselves. Unfortunately, some don' an' hunters like me have t' destroy them because they enjoy killin' humans and Carpathians alike. Not t' mention, they like stealin' our females, like I said."

She had so many questions and blinked at him for a moment as she tried to process the information. "But... I'm not... Carpathian." She still wasn't quite sure what that meant. "And... how do you know I'm your... lifemate? Maybe you got it wrong."

"Yeah... that threw me off guard, too. Findin' my lifemate an' seein' she was human. Don' matter t' me, you're my lifemate all the same. I've heard that others have been findin' their lifemates among human females recently. It's brought renewed hope t' our people," he strode over to her and touched her cheek. "Females are so precious t' us, cause we have so few many an' havin' so few children. Even when we do have children they have trouble survivin' for some reason... an' we don' know why." He sighed.

She took a step back. "You didn't answer how... how you know its me? Maybe you're mistaken." She looked up at him so hopeful.

He didn't want to burst her bubble, but he had to. He was close to turning and needed her, needed to make her explain so he had a chance of saving his soul. If she still refused him, he had no choice but to greet the dawn, though. "The darkness... as it takes over our souls we begin t' lose the ability t' see colour an' feel emotion. I'm very old an' lost all that nonsense a long time ago... but when I saw you, all of it came rushin' back. Saw the green of your eyes an' the gold of your hair. Felt such emotions I nearly choked on them. That is an obvious sign that you're my lifemate."

She swallowed hard. "This is all so... its too much." She shook her head. "I don't even understand what a Carpathian is... how they can become that creature from last night..."

Spike sighed and moved closer, when she didn't flinch away he pulled out a chair for her to sit down in. He got a bottle of water from the fridge and brought it over to her. "We're an ancient an' powerful race of people. We're part of nature. We're immortal an' need t' feed on blood t' survive."

"So... you're like a vampire." She wrinkled her nose.

"Oy! No!" His eyes flashed at the offending term. "That creature that attacked you was a vampire. I'm a Carpathian. There's a big difference, luv." He hooked his thumbs in his jeans and pouted slightly at being compared to that monster, even if he understood that society's view of a vampire was much like a Carpathian.

"Oh yeah... that soul thing, right?" Her brows went up slightly. She was surprised a soul could make so much difference between the man that sood before her and the thing that attacked her the previous night. "But... you said immortal. I'm not immortal... and that wouldn't be fair to you."

"An' denyin' me so that I have t' destroy myself before I turn into a vampire would be?" He arched a scarred brow at her. "We can convert psychic human females... you have a psychic gift, pet? If you don' then I would simply choose t' grow old with you an' die when you do."

She frowned at that. The idea hit her hard for some reason and she didn't like the idea of him killing himself at all. She swallowed, "We only just met each other... I don't even know your name! Do I have to make such a decision right now? I don't know if I could handle being like you when I barely understand what you are!"

"I can give you a little time, I s'pose... but not much. My time is gettin' close an' I had been plannin' on greetin' the dawn after I destroyed that vampire, that is until I found you." He gave a sexy, lopsided smile. "An' you got me t' help you. We put the health an' happiness of our lifemates before our own, can do no other."

For some odd reason, the idea of that gave her a slightly warm feeling. She shook it off. She needed to think clearly about this. "I don't have to stay here, do I? I have classes and stuff."

"But, pet, your safety... an' I can' come t' protect you durin' the day 'cept for emergencies."

"Fine. But only because I actually think you'd be less annoying if I gave in on that point." The sheet began to slip and she clutched it tighter, but it reminded her of her state of undress. "Um, clothes would be very nice. Yes. And, that reminds me... you are so in the doghouse for the whole taking my clothes off to give yourself a peeky at my body while I was unconscious. You're partially excused because of the whole saving my life, but only if you get me some clothes really quickly and promise not to be all nazi-ish about this whole staying here thing." She crossed her arms.

He chuckled and created a blouse, a skirt, and some stylish pumps then held the pile out to her.

She blinked at it, still surprised by displays of his power. "Uh, thanks..." Then she looked up at him. "Hello, underthings please." She rolled her eyes. She took the lacy underthings that came next from him, arching a brow at the obvious sexiness of the garments he had created. A male is a male is a male, no matter what the flavour. She took the pile of clothes back upstairs to change. When she came back downstairs, she glanced around for the bleached devil warily.

"I'm in the kitchen, luv." He called out as if reading her thoughts.

She scrunched up her nose slightly. Could he? She probably wouldn't be surprised, but it would also give her even more reason to be uneasy around him. She walked down the hall towards the dining room and went through to the kitchen, pausing to watch him pour something into a bowl that smelled very good. Her stomach growled loudly in response to the aroma.

"I thought you guys drank blood," she commented dryly.

"We do. This's for you. I already fed." He came over and set the bowl of vegetable soup on the table, motioning for her to sit. "Can' have my lifemate starvin' can I?"

She sat down and worried at her bottom lip.

"What's all that for, pet?" He cocked his head and looked down at her. Her fears that he could do a bit of mind reading was confirmed when a moment later he chuckled. "No, didn' kill them. I usually jus' sort of enthrall them an' afterwards I send them on their merry way with some altered memories."

"Oh," she said simply and stirred her soup, then tentatively taking a bite. Mmm, not too bad. She was surprised someone who couldn't eat could actually cook something so tasty. She ate half the bowl before it hit her and she nibbled on her bottom lip again.

"What now?"

"You... I don't know your name even!" Her brows furrowed at him. "You call me your lifemate. And don't think I don't know what all that surely entails. Plus, seeing as this might be an eternity thing, what with the immortality... and I don't even know your damn name!"

He laughed. She was so animated and fiery. "William... but I prefer Spike."

"Spike... I'm expected to tie myself to a guy that goes around calling himself Spike. Bad enough I'm going blind from the glare off your bleached hair... but now what, I'm going to be Mrs. Spike?" She rolled her eyes. "How old are you exactly? I mean, somehow I doubt they had bleach centuries ago to go around bleaching your hair and people didn't go around naming themselves after rotteweilers."

He rolled his own eyes. "Around twelve centuries. Bloke stops countin' specific years after a bit." He shrugged. "An' this is sort of a recent thing. Pays t' keep up with the times when you want t' blend in... around the sixties or seventies I did this. Believe me, was a lot wilder then." He pointed at his scarred brow. "Had a piercin' an' wore even more of the black leather. Hair was all spiked up... sorta where I got the name."

"Oh... Billy Idol fan much?" She rolled her eyes again and took her dishes over to the sink to rinse them out.

"Oy! He stole that look from me! Wish I never saved his ass from the society." He grumped and crossed his arms, leaning against the island.

"The society? What's that?" She turned back towards him and bit her lower lip, trying not to think about how sexy he looked even pouting. Why was it that after a few hours in this man's company and suddenly her hormones had went crazy?

"Tell me your name."

"What? What's that got to do with-"

"Tell me your name first an' then I'll tell you."

"Why? You can ready my mind anyways. Big stupid-"

"Because people don' use their name when thinkin' t' themselves, obviously, an' we don' have a strong mental link yet for me t' go diggin' 'round with. Not 'til I bind you t' me."

"Buffy... Buffy Summers. Happy?"

"Yes, Elizabeth." He smirked at her scowl and turned to walk from the kitchen, heading for the living room.

She hurried after him. "Hey, you said you'd answer my question after I told you my name!"

"I did an' I will." He jumped over the couch and onto the cushions. He kicked up his boots on the coffee table, crossing his ankles and stretching his arms out along the back of the couch. "Now sit an' I'll tell you whatever you want t' know."

Her eyes rolled for what she figured must have been the hundredth time since she met this Spike guy and she sat in a chair across from the couch. "Okay, get on with the explaining, please." She waved a hand at him.

"The society is a group of self-proclaimed vampire hunters. Pretty much the second biggest pain in the ass of all Carpathians."

"Vampire hunters... isn't that a good thing? I mean, that thing last night... could use all the help you can get with getting rid of those things."

He shook his head. "No. For several reasons, no. First being, just like you, your pre-conceived notions of a vampire are not entirely like that of the real thing an' as you noticed, are more like that of us Carpathians. Also, a human wouldn' be able t' take on a vampire an' live."

Realization dawned on her slowly. "They think you're vampires..." she chewed on her bottom lip. "But, if they can't take on a real vampire, how do they take on you? I mean, with all the things you got going for you, how can they be as big a pain as you say?"

"They same way we get the drop on vampires, they can get us while we're restin'. Or, they have a vampire usin' them as pawns. Also, they're always workin' on somethin'... usually some sort of drug t' make us weak or knock us out so they can get their grubby mits on us. Do some sort of disection." His lip curled into a snarl of disgust.

"And what, Billy Idol is a Carpathian?" She arched an amused brow and chuckled.

"Nah, just a strange human. One of the same reasons I fear for your safety durin' the day when I can' help you, the society has been known to target special humans, thinkin' jus' 'cause they're a little odd they might be a vampire. You keep odd hours. Vampire. You might have a gift. Vampire. It's another danger to our lifemates, seein' as they have psychic gifts an' might attract their attention. Not t' mention if the society members are bein' used by a vampire," he smirked and tapped his nose.

She nodded slowly in understanding as she digested all that. "Well, I'm sure they would just find me a boring college student anyways." She shrugged.

"You said you'd stay here, though, where I can keep an eye on you."

"I did, and I will. Just saying."

He sat up. "Vampires don' jus' use society members. They have servants t' do their biddin' an' if one has sensed you in the area, more will come."

"And if you're sleeping during the day, how are you going to protect me if one comes?" She arched a brow. "Do you sleep in a coffin?"

He snorted and rolled his eyes. "No, you daft bint. I sleep in the ground an' there are ways for a Carpathian t' be able t' get around during the day, unlike a vampire. We call in a storm for cloud cover. That's why I said I'd only be able t' come t' your aid in an emergency, since I can' rightly do that every bloody day. An' I put up safeguards t' keep things out. Strong ones."

"Safeguards?"

"That barrier you hit earlier, luv." He smirked.

"Oh, so it can keep things in, too. You going to keep me a prisoner here even though I agreed to stay willingly?"

"Well... 'til I can trust you not t' jus' run. Not that I couldn' just track you down an' drag you back." His head tilted and his tongue curled behind his teeth. "Then I'll jus' have t' punish you."

Her eyes got wide for a moment then narrowed. "Oh, I dare you to try anything. Then I'll stake you or whatever it is that does you jerks in."

He spread his hands wide. "I dare you t' try, pet. Would like t' dance with you. See that fire in your eyes that I keep seein' glimpses of."

"Ohhh grrr," she pressed her lips. "Keep this up and I am sooo not being your lifemate thingy." She got up and tossed her hair over her should then turned on her heal to stomp upstairs with her nose in the air. His laughter received a loud growl in response.



tbc...
Chapter Two by Blood Faerie


~Chapter Two~


AN: Wow, didn't actually expect there to be so many other Feehan fans among the readers. Hehe. Hence the big explainy Author's note to keep non-Feehan fans from passing the story up. Yeah, and as some of you noticed, doing my best to keep the balance of his Spike-ishness with the Carpathianess, so bare with me. Sometimes its a bit clashy as those of you that are Feehan fans know.




Buffy woke up the next afternoon and knew Spike wouldn't be around for awhile, so she took the opportunity to do some snooping around the large house. She figured she was going to be seeing a lot of it for the foreseeable future. She went over to the pile of clothes that the bleached punk had created for her the night before on her request. To avoid future naked wanderings, of course. He was going to have to take her shopping eventually, though, or at least take her back to her dorm to pack some of her things.

She poked around, but there wasn't much of interest around the house. There was very little food in the kitchen and she grabbed a bottle of water then headed for the living room. She flopped onto the couch and stretched out, grabbing the remote and turning on the television to find something to keep her occupied until the creepy guy woke up.

Her head jerked around when she felt the caress of fingers along her neck. She was still alone, though, and the sun was still out. It was waning, but out. So what... that was another of his little gifts? To molest her from a distance? She rolled her eyes and slouched down further on the couch. Big freakin' perv, that's what he was.

The familiar laugh came right before he materialized in front of her, kneeling close with a smirk. "Luv, only a perv when it comes t' you."

"Lucky me," she grumbled and sat up, scooting away from him. "Well reign it in there, cause I still haven't decided if I'm into this lifematy thing. And, doing stuff like that is so not going to sway my decision in the favourable way, you know." She crossed her arms in front of her.

"Look, I said I'd give ya time an' I can give that t' you, but I can only wait for you so long. Told you, the darkness grows everyday an' I'm so very old." He tilted his head and his eyes darkened as he looked her over, sending a little shiver dancing along her spine. "An' you don' realize what torture it is t' finally have the lifemate I've been watin' centuries for, t' have you within reach an' not touch."

"I do understand and feel for you a bit, I mean... or I wouldn't even be giving this crazy thing a chance." She bit the corner of her lip.

He finally risked touching her, cupping her cheek in his hand. "You feel the connection between us, right? That too, right?" He looked at her so hopefully, she had to give a small soft smile, but blushed slightly with eyes widened at his next words, "Female lifemates, being the light t' our darkness, are purely good. They can' do bad at all an' I know one wouldn' let her lifemate die if she could help it. Wouldn' let anyone die without tryin' t' help. I have seen females who even felt sorrow for those... creatures such as attacked you last night, even if I don' believe they deserve it."

"You think *I* am that good, too?" She blinked at him in disbelief.

"You're my lifemate." He said simply. "There can be no darkness in you. Your goodness is what anchors me after I bind my lifemate t' me. Prevents me from becomin' that undead creature."

She wrinkled her nose. She still didn't really think she was all that he made her out to be at times, but she didn't feel up to arguing with him when he seemed to believe what he said so completely. It was also a little flattering, but sometimes the creepiness factor cancelled it out. She shook her head, trying to clear it a bit so she could think straight.

"Okay, one thing at a time..." she held up a hand to fend him off half-heartedly. "Either you gotta take me shopping, or back to my apartment. Cause, from what I gather, I'm going to be staying her a long time no matter which way my decision goes. And, I really don't want to be dependant on you for being clothed. Especially considering the style in which you made my panties..." She arched a brow. "Not to mention, as an adult, I do enjoy choosing my own outfits."

He chuckled and shook his head. "Fine. If its really that important t' you, luv. We can go shoppin', because I'm not sure its safe t' take you back to your school after one vampire has found you there."

"Fine, but I'm going to make you get really expensive stuff." She smirked and lifted her chin.

"If that'll make my lifemate happy..." he arched a brow and smirked right back.

"What'd make me happy is to-"

"I'm sure you're hungry," he cut her off and stood up with a smile, knowing exactly the barb she was just about to throw his way. "Let's go get you somethin' t' eat. I'll feed later. We can also do a bit of that shoppin' ya want while we're out."

"We can also-"

He clamped a hand over her mouth. "You keep that up, pet, an' you'll force me t' find better ways t' keep your mouth occupied." He wagged his brows at her then turned to head for the door, expecting her to follow.

She gaped after him for a moment then scrunched up her face. "Ew much."

*****


Spike leaned against the dressing room door while she tried on some outfits she had found in one of the stores at a mall a couple towns over. He figured it was at least slightly safer than taking her shopping in her hometown because of the reason he had given for not going back to her apartment. If one vampire had been attracted to the area after sensing his lifemate, then surely others had sensed her as well. He glanced over his shoulder at the door.

"Want me t' come in an' help? Maybe get a sneak peek?" he asked in a honeyed tone.

"No. Go leer at someone else," she called back between grunts as she hopped on one foot to get a pair of jeans on. She made an impatient noise and took them off, tossing them over the door to land on Spike's head. "On second thought, can you find me a pair of those in a size bigger?"

He picked them off his head and looked at them, noting the size before turning towards the door. "Sure, luv." Then he got a sly smirk and poked his head over the door to get a peek at her half-dressed. He had seen her naked, but really, he would never get enough of seeing his lifemate. His eyes roamed her body, drinking her in while she was unaware of the spying.

Buffy started lifting the shirt off her head and turned around towards the next outfit she intended to try on, stopping dead in her tracks when she found two blue orbs above the dressing room door. She just stared back with her shirt up baring her chest to him for nearly a minute. Then she gave a squeak and threw a shoe at him.

"You... you perv!!" She screeched.

He backed up and easily caught the shoe that sailed over the door. He opened the dressing room door and dropped the shoe, moving dangerously close to her. "Luv, I've already seen you naked. Couldn' resist gettin' another eyeful of that lovely body. Never get enough of my lifemate." He cupped her face and kissed her slowly.

She closed her eyes and melted into the kiss for a moment, then remembered where they were and what he had just done. She grabbed a hanger and batted at him with it. "Get out of here and go find that pair of jeans before I decide I don't want you." She stuck out her lower lip and put her hands on her hips.

"Look at that lip, gonna get it," he bent to kiss her once more then turned to leave, picking up the discarded jeans on his way out of the changing area.

She rolled her eyes after he left and turned to try something else on. Sheesh, he was pushy... and damned persistent... She chewed on her bottom lip as she tried to think on everything that had happened in the last twenty-four hours. Boy was it a lot. Well for her, maybe not for mister hunter guy out there. And all that about her being sooo good? She wasn't sure she could live up to all these expectations he seemed to have about her.

She shook her head and glanced down at herself in the mirror, turning to check out how the outfit looked before starting to peel it off. She turned around and came face to face with Spike again. What was it with this guy and sneaking up on her while she was undressed?? This time she frowned and put her hands on her hips. He gave her a grin and held out the jeans she asked for, not looking sorry at all.

"Jus' as you asked."

"You could have handed them to me over the door, you know." She rolled her eyes then started to pull them on. She wiggled, seeing how they felt when she moved.

"Where's the fun in that?" He chuckled and his eyes lowered, locked on her hips as they moved in the tight denim. Suddenly his own jeans became painfully tight. He groaned and took a step back. "I'll let you get dressed then we can go pay for it all. After that, can go find you somethin' t' eat, luv." He turned and fled the changing room.

She watched him go, utterly confused by his behavior. She shook her head and changed, gathering up the clothes she wanted then following him out. First, he was about banging down the door to get in for a peek then he gets one, well two, and he took off running. Men. They were a confusing species.

Buffy waited by the front door as he paid and looked around at the surrounding stores. The food court was nearby and the mouthwatering scents could be smelled even at that distance, making her stomach rumble. So she glanced over her shoulder towards Spike before heading in that direction.

She stood among the tables, looking at all the stalls and trying to decide what she wanted to eat. She was famished, not having eaten all day, and there were so many delicious things to choose from.

As she had expected, moments later Spike was beside her with the shopping bags and frowning down at her in reproach.

"You said you were going to get me something to eat after you paid," she said innocently. "And I know you'd follow as soon as you were finished. Knew you'd be able to find me easily."

"That's not the point, you daft bint," He growled at her and caught at her arm with his free hand. "I keep tellin' you what danger you're in from people an' creatures that would think nothin' of doin' horrible, unspeakable things t' you! I'll tell you some of the finer details if it'll put some sense int' you, even if I'd hate scarin' you like that."

"Look... I appreciate you wanting to take care of me and protect me, but you can't keep me under your thumb." She sighed, shifting from foot to foot and glancing around before continuing, "Spike... I said I would think about this lifemate thing and I have been. So far, I've come to the conclusion that I'm almost willing to give it a go... but only if we discuss some stuff and agree on some terms we can both live with, okay? As soon as we get back to your place we can talk."

She turned and headed for one of the stalls, expecting him to follow again. Especially since he was the one with the money. She wasn't disappointed when he did follow slowly after an exasperated noise. Woman would be the death of him.

She handed him the to-go box a little while later and nodded towards the other side of the food court. "I gotta use the little girl's room, so wait here."

He watched her go, hips swaying to torture him, and considered briefly shifting into mist and following her. Instead, he forced himself to relax and lean against the booth to wait like she wanted. Try to give her the space she obviously was raving about only minutes before. He was worried about the terms she would demand once they got home. But, not that he would ever tell her because she would take advantage of it, he would agree to anything if it meant having his lifemate. He cursed that soft side of him, the part of him he viewed as a weakness. The sort of thing that could get him and his lifemate killed if he didn't keep it in check.

Buffy came out of the stall and walked over to the sinks to wash her hands. The mall was getting pretty deserted this close to closing time. The food court would be shutting down soon. Around this time it got to be that only the movie theatre was open. She turned to dry off her hands and walked into a tall black man. She stumbled back with a squeak, still holding her damp hands up lamely.

"You do know this is like the girls room, right?" She arched a brow.

He grunted and advanced on her. "I saw you outside with who we know is William Archer. I want to know how you're associated with him. I've never seen you with him before and we've been keeping tabs on him for some time now."

'William Archer?' she thought to herself. Spike had said his name was William last night, so was it him this guy was talking about? And they were following him... did that mean he was one of those society people that Spike had also mentioned the night before? He certainly looked a bit scary. And, it wasn't some racist opinion because he was black. But, what sort of man would be in the girls room brow beating a woman unless he had bad intentions... and those rippling muscles? Hello.

"Um, he helped me last night when a guy attacked me outside my apartment and asked me out tonight," she chewed her lip. Might as well not try to deny she knew him, and what she had said was at least half true.

"You were attacked by what?" he arched a brow.

"Don't you mean who? That was a very odd question. But anyways, it was an old guy... didn't know him. He tried to... take advantage of me and S- William stopped him." She bit her lip slightly, eyeing the man as he studied her in return. She started to get alarmed that he wouldn't believe her and do something horrible like Spike had said.

The man's eyes glazed over a moment then he shook his head to clear it quickly. He pulled a card out of his pocket and shoved it into Buffy's hands. "Well, miss, you might want to get away from him as soon as you can. If he gives you any trouble, call me and my associates. This man is trouble."

She watched him go and rolled her eyes. Sheesh, she already knew Spike was trouble the moment she looked at him. Stating the obvious much. She tossed the card and waited a little bit before finally figuring it was safe to leave the restrooms, heading towards where she had left Spike to tell him about the encounter. As she should of expected though, he was right outside the restrooms, having sensed her distress and finding out what was going on.

"So, you know what that was all about?" she looked up at him and took her food from him. "He was society, wasn't he?"

He nodded and nodded for her to start leaving with him. "That prove it t' you the point I was tryin' t' hammer home? If I hadn' been here, he might have done somethin' an' you would've been in big trouble."

"What do you..." she remembered the man's eyes getting distant for a moment. "You did something?"

"Yeah, an' aren' you lucky," he smirked. "Let's get out of here before that luck runs out."

*****


Buffy sat on Spike's back deck later that night. She glanced back towards the house, knowing he was probably watching her. This whole situation was just so odd. She sighed and settled back against the railing again, trying to make sense of it all in her head yet again. Something like out of one of her vampire novels had swept her off after saving her from a reject from a horror movie. Now, he was talking about things that were like something out of a cheesy romance novel. Their souls were two halves made for each other, they made each other whole. Gah. Sappy much. She pouted. She was not pure goodness. She knew she wasn't. She'd been bad many times.

Spike appeared beside her and sat down, pulling her against him with a chuckle. "You're missin' the point, pet. Sure you've been bad an' drove people t' want t' throttle you as much as I want t' at times... but you're missin' the point. I mean real goodness. The absence of evil an' darkness in you, unlike us male Carpathian who have a darkness that consumes our souls. It grows as we get older. Grows with every kill. Tempts us t' feed t' the point of killin' our victim. But the females. You. You could never do anythin' evil an' malicious. Oh, you can be misbehave an' drive a person t' bonkers... but you couldn' be truly evil an' mean. Make better sense, luv?"

"Maybe..." she sighed. She relaxed against him slightly. "Still don't think I'm as great as you seem to think, but I'm not up for arguing it."

He smirked. "You would rather I thought you horrible an' disgustin'?" He arched an amused brow. "Doesn' this happen when you love someone even among humans... you think they are the sun an' bloody moon an' all that?"

"Maybe..." she hated when he was right. "But don't expect me to be all moony over you." She huffed and looked away.

His smirk grew as he leaned down, lips brushing the side of her neck and sending a bolt of electricity trilling up her spine. Next, his hand cupped her face to turn it back towards him so he could brush his lips over hers before pressing them more firmly. His tongue stroked her bottom lip then prodded for entry, slipping inside when he was rewarded with her compliance. He kept it slow and tender so that she was melting against him, whimpering faintly when he pulled back.

"Responses like that are all I need, sweetling," his voice came out husky and she was glad she wasn't the only one affected. "Don' need pretty words from your lips when I get all the sweet poetry I want from the racin' of your heart an' the look in your eyes."

Her eyes got a bit wide for a moment at his tender words. Then she immediately put up her guards with a look of amusement, head tilting and brow arching. "Oh gawd, that was so cheesy. Did you read it in a hallmark card?"

He snorted and dropped his hand. "Bloody annoyin' bird... drive a man stark bonkers, you could. If I didn' love you so much, wasn' so against the rules t' harm your lifemate... would just pop you one..." He muttered, looking away from her with a scowl.

She chuckled and raised up on her knees facing him. Her hand traced his temple then across his sharp cheekbones, down across his cheek and along his jaw, then slid around his neck to tangle in the soft curls at the nape of his neck. He watched her the whole time warily, guarded blue eyes locked with her soft green ones that were watching her own hand's path.

She finally lifted her eyes from her hand to meet his. "You sure you want a lifemate then? I mean... us driving each other crazy for all eternity until one of us maims the other one?" She scrunched up her face slightly. "I mean really... you wanna lock me to you for all of your immortality, but you say you can't even stand me at times... what are you going to do when we're bound together? You said we can't even be apart much then. We'd be stuck with each other, torturing each other into madness..."

"Buffy..." he brought her into his lap and curled his arms around her, sending her soothing waves. "Is that also part of why you deny our bond? Are you worried about such trivial things?"

She bit her lip and shrugged. "Maybe..."

"As I said, I'm incapable of hurtin' you. Your health an' happiness comes before everythin' else. Everythin'. So maimin' you in a fit of pique is out of the question, no matter how you drive me up the wall." He brushed his lips over her temple. "An' yes, you drive me wild, but I love that 'bout you an' wouldn' have it any other way. Wouldn' want a borin' lifemate. Always be interestin' with you, it would. An' if I didn' care, it wouldn' get t' me so much some of the things you say."

"So you like arguing with me and making each other insane?" She looked at him as if he was already bonkers.

"Absolutely love the little dances we do." His tongue curled behind his teeth as he leered down at her. Somehow, she knew he wasn't just talking about their verbal sparring matches.

"Perv..." She pouted. "We haven't even... and if you keep doing that... you know, being such a perv... well we never will!" She nodded firmly.

"Oh, you think you can resist my charms forever, pet?" He smirked widely.

She thumped his chest and pushed herself out of his lap. "I so could!"

He stood with her. "Care t' make a lil' wager t' that effect?" He hooked his thumbs in his jeans, fingers splayed across his hips in obvious challenge.

"I..." She tore her eyes from the obvious magnet he had made of his groin. She put her nose in the air haughtily, "I could resist you sooo easily. Even if we were both naked or something and running around this house like that for a week or two... or even a month. Or... or a YEAR! So there!"

"Done." He thought away both their clothes. "Though, as temptin' as it is, won' make this bet last a year. A month would do, though, I have faith I won' need the whole month." He leered at her with his damnable tongue curled behind his teeth again.

She squealed at her sudden state of undress and ran screaming into the house, cursing him loudly in language he didn't even know she knew.

His laughter followed her as he taunted her mentally, //You asked for this, luv. Better get used t' this an' if you try t' get dressed I'll only remove the cloves again, though next time I may think of some more inventive way...//



tbc...
Chapter Three by Blood Faerie
//Chapter Three//

AN: Hrm, I may use their little bet idea as the plotbunny for a PWP or ficlet with tons of smutty mcsmut, lol, or someone else should... should I make it a challenge? lol I mean really, the canon Buffy and Spike would be humping within seconds of the such a bet, right? lmao

 

Buffy poked her head out of the bathroom, peeking around to make sure the coast was clear after her shower. Once she was satisfied, she finally stepped out into the bedroom. She wrapped herself in the towel she had been using to dry her hair then walked across the room. She pouted as she peered into the closet. All her new clothes were gone. He had hid them or something while she was sleeping. She didn't even get a chance to wear them yet. What a waste...

She finger combed her damp locks and glanced out at the waning light before heading downstairs to the kitchen. There was food in it now, so she was able to make herself something to eat. She wasn't much of a cook. Her dorm fridge was full of either meals easily popped into the microwave, left-overs from take-out, and frozen food easily popped into the oven. Pasta was pretty easy to make, too... boil and drain.

With a sandwich in one hand and a bottle of juice in the other, she headed to the living room to find a movie on cable to watch.

Halfway through a Jackie Chan movie, she had finished the sandwich and was taking a drink of juice when suddenly her towel disappeared. She yelped and ended up spilling her juice all over herself. She started to get up, but Spike appeared in front of her and she dropped back into her seat to glare up at him. She crossed her leg in front of her and crossed her arms to hide herself as much as she could.

"Didn' I warn you, luv?" he smirked. "I'll be a bit lenient 'bout it while I'm sleepin', but once I get up..." he curled his tongue and leered at her.

"Ugh, you're such a perv..." she rolled her eyes. She shifted, trying to hide herself from his gaze even more if it was possible.

"Watch it or I'll decide you don' need towels so you got t' run 'round nude an' wet." He waggled his brows then dropped to his knees in front of her. "An' just remember, pet, this was all your idea. You came up with this little bet." He leaned in close.

"Fine, I call it off." She pouted and watched him warily.

He started to gently but firmly move her arms aside as he bowed his head towards her. He paused with his lips a breath away from her, eyes locked with her startled ones. He waited, listening as her heart started to race then smirked. He lowered his head, keeping his lips just above her jaw, then throat, over her collarbone to her chest which was still slick with juice. His eyes went up to lock with hers again as he began to stroke her skin with his tongue. Cleaning her in a slow torturous process, causing her pulse to accelerate even more and her breath to hitch. His nostrils flared as the scent of her arousal permeated the air.

She opened her mouth to protest softly, but the next thing she knew his mouth was pulling at her breast and she lost the ability to speak. She gasped instead and leaned back into the couch, hand going to his hair and turning it from gelled perfection into a riot of curls that she could grasp more easily to anchor herself.

His arm curled around her waist and brought them closer together as his mouth trailed licks and nips back up, following his path down but this time with real touches and not the ghosts of ones. He kissed her neck and sucked at it just over her pulse, eliciting more gasps from her. Then he continued his trail back up to her mouth where he kissed her hard, now on top of her and practically straddling her. He pressed close, his hard length jabbing into her soft belly as he continued to plunder her mouth with abandon.

The urgent prodding sort of brought her back to herself and she pushed at him lightly, a little alarmed for a moment since she was obviously no match for him if he tried to overpower her.

It was her sudden rush of fear that had him jerking away from her, looking at her with just as much alarm as he breathed heavily for a moment. "I'm... I'm sorry, luv... I would never... it isn'... I mean, a male would never... not even in us t'..." He shook his head and paused to slow his wildly pounding heart and his breath, regulating his pulse so that he could get her heart to slow to match his. He reached out to touch her cheek, "Don' want you ever t' be afraid of me."

"It's okay, I... it was... well, I know now that my brain has started to function again... it was just at that second, irrational and... anyways..." She shook clear her own head and took a couple deep breaths herself, then took his hand. "I'm just... well, was pretty sure where that was probably going to lead and I'm not sure I'm ready for THAT yet, even though I did agree to give in to this lifemate business and I know eventually..."

"I know, pet, I know... an' a male never forces himself on a female, not Carpathians at least." He lifted his chin proudly. "We damn near worship you silly birds, but we don' hurt you or anythin' of the sort. Your health an' happiness comes before our own."

"So you keep saying," she teased lightly with a smirk. "I know its going to come eventually, though, but we've only... I mean, a few days... hello. I think I've been a bit coolheaded with this so far, deciding to give an eternity of myself to you after only just meeting you?" She rolled her eyes. "Not to mention, I'm a... I mean, I've never..." She blushed and motioned to where he was obviously still affected by her, averting her eyes in the opposite direction.

He pulled her close with no hint of the lust from moments before, brushing his lips across her brow. "I know... an' when you're ready, I'll know, too." He smirked. "I may feel a bit of an urgency t' make sure you're tied t' me t' keep me from turnin', but suppose when the time comes an' you're ready, I can say the bondin' words without... consummatin' them... though, usually that's the way its done." He gave a tiny smirk and gave her a gentle kiss.

She bit her lip and looked at him in concern. "You're very old... so you're close to turning, aren't you? Very close... like, you told me you would have destroyed yourself by now if you hadn't have happened to find me that night... if that thing had attacked another girl..."

"Buffy..." Spike sighed and leaned his cheek against her head. "I can wait. No worries, luv. When you're ready we'll do it, an' not 'til then. Won' pressure you or force you. You decide."

"Spike, I-"

He put a finger over her lips when she went to speak and shook his head, giving her a hard look. "No. I can wait until you're really ready an' I won' have you doin' it out of pity or anythin' of the sort. Should be out of love an' all that rot."

She frowned at him, but sighed. "Fine, you big pain in the butt. But, your loss you know."

"Just because we can' go all the way, doesn' mean we can' do..." he ran a finger down between her breasts where he had just been licking, "other things..." He leaned forward and kissed her slowly, hand stroking down over her ribcage and stomach then down along her thigh.

She sighed into his mouth as her annoyance melted away. She could definitely get used to an eternity of this kind of worship with an out-of-this-world man that made her blood sizzle in her veins. She went to wrap her arms around his neck as their tongues dueled, but he had other plans. His hands slid along her arms to link with her hands, holding them out wide and pinning her back gently. His mouth moved down her neck, pausing to bite gently over her pulse before continuing down to sample the treat that was her breasts again.

He caught her sensitized nub between his teeth and tugged slightly.

"Spike," she squeaked, arching her back.

He gave another gentle tug and she groaned, arching her back as much as she could. He looked up at her and laved the nipple with his tongue, amused as she tried to writhe but was kept in place by him still pinning her arms out. He moved on to the other nipple, tugging it with his teeth as well.

She couldn't writhe so her legs kicked out into the air, whimpering at the pleasure coursing through her and hitting her right in the core. "Oh, god. Please, Spike..." She pleaded with another whimper.

"Oh, you want more?" He smirked and gave another tug, delighting in the little cry she gave. "Hmm, does this mean I have won the bet?" He twirled his tongue around her nipple, soothing it as he had the other after the toothy treatment.

Her head snapped up and she glared down at him. "You have not. I did not give in. On the contrary, you only proved that you find me irresistible, which is no secret as you keep telling me this every time you explain the lifemate thing."

"So what... I have t' wait for you t' jump on me then?" He curled his tongue behind his teeth and looked up at her eagerly. "Anytime you want, pet. Anytime you feel the need t' jump me, just go on ahead." He released her hands finally and wrapped her up in his arms.

"Oh, you... you pig..." She swatted at him, unable to believe how he went from behind so gentle and caring, to being such a slimy little bastard that spouted such... oh, he drove her nuts. She pushed him away then stood up with her hands on her hips. "And for your information, I'm never going to jump you! I meant what I said last night and I'm going to win the bet cause I can totally resist a perv like you!" She spun and stomped out of the room as he laughed.

*****

Wesley walked into the room and closed the door behind him, looking at the people already in the room. His eyes moved over each face as he went to the head of the table. He set down the file and braced his arms on the table as he leaned forward, gaze resting on one man in particular. A young black man who had been with the group for a short time. He was young and brash, but that's the way most of them had been when they first joined. Most of them had similar stories that led them to meeting up. Losing a loved one to a creature they hadn't know existed then seeking to destroy these things before they killed anymore innocent people.

"Charles, I'm disappointed about last night, but such things happen when dealing with these creatures. No doubt Mr. Archer realized you were trying to get to the girl and thwarted you, but you are lucky he did not deem it necessary to dispose of you in a more permanent manner," the Englishman straightened and crossed his arms. "Even so, it would have been nice if you had been able to follow them to his lair. The more time he keeps her, the more the chance that he will do something to her."

A loud, derisive snort came from the corner of the room and Wesley glanced in that direction. A tall man stood and approached the group and Wesley watched him warily. This man kept himself apart from the group and it was better if they stuck close together against the creatures. But so far the man had been an asset, so he let it go.

"He wouldn't have been able to follow them, even if he hadn't been found out by William," the man gave a smug smile. "William wouldn't have simply drove to the shopping center. No doubt he did one of his vampire tricks to fly them there or something."

"Surely he wouldn't have done this with the girl with him, Angel." One of the other men spoke up.

"Ah, Rupert, but if he could do mind tricks with Charles then he could do it with the girl. He is no doubt thralling her into submission so he could have her pliant to do his bidding. He didn't kill her immediately so he's probably going to turn her and make her his vampire whore." He smirked. "Hopefully, we'll be able to prevent such a tragedy, though."

Wesley studied the man. He always felt something was off with him, besides the odd name and changing last names. Sometimes, he wasn't even sure if they could trust him much. The only reason he did give him a chance and put up with his oddness was because of the generous funding and support he threw their way. He wasn't sure why, though, as he had never shared a story such as the rest of them had for encountering the undead. A reason for joining such an organization where most thought their mission to be ludicrous.

Angel turned towards him as if sensing the other man was thinking about him. He gave an overly sweet smile, "No need to worry, Wes. I will take up the monitoring of William. I have an idea of the general area his lair might be located in. I'll give you a heads up when he's on the move so others can possibly try to intercept him... hopefully save the poor girl even."

"I suppose, but maybe you should take someone with you to help."

The taller man shook his head. "I'll be faster on my own. I'll keep in touch, though." He lifted his hand with a smug smile then left the room.

Wesley watched him go with some irritation, but as soon as the other man was gone he looked over at Rupert. "I want you to do some research. Find out everything you can about this Angel guy. There's something up with him."

*****

Just before sunset the next night, Spike walked into Buffy's room without knocking. It was his house after all. She was still sleeping and he lifted the covers to crawl onto the bed towards her, laying beside her gently so as not to wake her up yet. He had a special way for waking her up tonight. He smiled as he lifted away the blanket enough and looked over her nude body appreciatively. He was truly blessed with a lovely lifemate.

His hand trailed lightly over her skin, tracing the swell of her breast and curve of her hip. Fingers dancing lightly over her skin as he committed her to memory by touch. He paused when she shifted in her sleep and murmured nonsensically. When she settled down again he ducked under the blanket and slid down with a grin, continuing with his devious plan for waking her. His face buried between her slightly parted thighs, inhaling and closing his eyes for a moment as he committed this to memory as well.

His hands coasted over her thighs again as he bent his head closer to begin licking at her entrance slowly, pausing only when she shifted again in her sleep with a small groan. He began licking even more fervently when he sensed her beginning to wake up, twirling his tongue around her little nub.

The blanket was whipped away seconds later so that she could confirm her suspicions after waking up. At first, she had thought she was still in her delicious dreams, but eventually it had dawned on her that she was truly awake then that the feelings were really real. It could only be one person, for that one person wouldn't have allowed anyone else to get near the house let alone in her room and in her bed with her.

Blue eyes lifted to meet her gaze, totally unrepentant, and he didn't stop what he had deemed his new favourite treat and pastime. His eyes remained locked with her as his tongue delved inside her, wrenching more of the whimpers he loved hearing from her. He moved his tongue, driving the whimpers louder. When her hand grasped at his curls, he was sure that was where she was finally going to stop him, but she was tugging his face more firmly to her pussy and moving against him needily. He smirked, relieved at the signal to continue and lifted his hand to begin stroking at her sensitive nub.

Her back arched and she mewled, lost in the new sensations he was giving her. She vaguely wondered how she would survive actual sex if the things he had done to her so far felt this good. And a traitorous voice asked why she was putting it off if it was bound to feel a hundred times better than this. She shoved all the thoughts away, not that she had any choice when she began to near her peak.

Spike pulled back fractionally and smirked when she lifted her head to growl at him in frustration.

"Patience, pet..." he purred at her then lowered his mouth to nip at the swollen lips. He continued to stroke her swollen clit as he let his fangs lengthen, dragging them over her thigh before sinking them into her tender flesh. He drank and closed his eyes in ecstasy. Finally, he was tasting his lifemate completely... and it was even sweeter and more delicious than he imagined. More and more, he was ravenous. Addicted to her essence immediately.

He realized he was drinking too much, losing control, and quickly stopped himself. He stroked the bite to close it before turning his attention back to her damp pussy. Her hips were lifting off the bed and her head thrown back. Such a lovely sight and he took a moment to admire his lifemate in the throws of passion before returning to his earlier work. Soon he was rewarded with a hoarse scream and a rush of warm liquid that he lapped up eagerly.

"Spike..." she breathed, relaxing finally and going limp.

He crawled up her body to lay beside her and engulf her in his arms. He chuckled, "I thought that would be a nice way t' wake my lifemate up."

"Very evil way. Not to mention, you're lucky I didn't scream and toss you out of bed... doing something like that... very tight line and me being so lenient with you..." She teased lightly, closing her eyes slowly.

But not before seeing a slightly shocked and hurt look pass over his face. "I... I didn' mean t' take advantage of you... nothin' of the sort. I just... I mean, I would never..."

She opened her eyes again and wrapped her hand around the base of his neck gently to pull him down for a kiss. "I know. I was teasing. You said Carpathians don't force themselves on their lifemates and I believe you." She sighed and leaned her cheek against his chest. "Don't know why, but I trust you, okay? Probably what you said at the beginning, I feel the bond between our souls or something..."

"Yeah, somethin' like that, pet," he smiled in relief and stroked her back. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and noted it was a bit on the cool side, then looked her over. Her colour was on the pale side. Her breathing and heartbeat had slowed slightly. "Oh god..." he breathed as worry gripped him. Part of him told him that maybe she would bounce back, but as her lifemate he wasn't sure he could take that chance. He began to shake her lightly, "Luv... Elizabeth, baby... I... please forgive me. I took too much when I was... tastin' you."

"Hm?" She lifted her head to blink up at him slowly, noting his concern and drawing her brows together. "I feel fine. Stop being such a worry wart."

She reached up to touch his cheek, but he captured her hand to press a kiss to her palm. "No, I can tell. Your heart, lungs, an' colour... you just feel sleepy, but I took too much. I should've been more careful." He shook his head.

"It's okay. I said I trusted you, and I still do. We all make mistakes... and its not like you did it on purpose." She started to try to push herself up, "So... does this mean you're dragging me to the hospital or something?"

"I need t' replace the blood I took... let you feed from me in return, but... it would be the first blood exchange. You haven'... not sure if that's best since you haven' made up your mind on whether you want it yet." He tightened his hold on her to keep her from sitting up, trying to share his body heat with hers.

"I mean, it doesn't mean I'm going to turn right now; it's only the first one. And, I do know I want to be your lifemate, so either way I'll be with you for the rest of my life... our life. If it'll make you feel better and make me better, then go ahead." She smiled softly, "Please."

"My sweet sweet lifemate..." he nuzzled her neck, "you don' know what you do t' me..."

She chuckled and teased, "I got a pretty good idea since you never shut up about it."

He growled playfully and nipped at her neck. "Shut your gob, woman." He turned his face and kissed her slowly before sitting up, pulling her into his lap. "If you're really sure about this..." He ran his hand over her arm tenderly.

"Spike..." she groaned and closed her eyes, settling her cheek against his chest again and resuming what was becoming her favourite position. It was as if she was made to fit against him just right. But then, if what he said was true, she WAS made to fit him perfectly. "Just do it and stop worrying so much... you're going to get ugly frown lines."

"Bloody annoyin' bint..." he purred with a smirk and stroked a hand through her hair. "Fine. You have your way... but don' get used t' it bein' that way."

"Oh sure... whatever you say..." She rolled her eyes, "Now come on before I resort to coming after you with a knife."

He laughed and shifted her in his arms slightly. "Okay, okay... hold ont' your knickers, pet..."

His fangs dropped and he averted his face slightly as he bit into his wrist. A gentle hand touched his face to turn it back around.

"Don't hide yourself from me. Not if you want to bind me to you, bind our souls together... then I want to know all of you." She looked up at him through her lashes earnestly, taking his face in now complete with fangs and a red glow to his eyes. "Will I... once you... I mean, if you... will I?"

He nodded and kissed her hand then held out his wrist in front of her face. He didn't think he could speak at that moment, heart swelled up to the point he was choking on it. And this little bit of gold didn't think she was made of goodness. He chuckled mentally. And in that moment, with love for her washing over him so that he nearly drowned on it, he couldn't help himself. Second nature took over and the words spilled from his lips as she drank from him.

"I claim you as my lifemate. I belong to you. I offer my life for you. I give to you my protection, my allegiance, my heart, my soul, and my body. I take into my keeping the same that is yours. Your life, happiness, and welfare will be cherished and placed above my own for all time. You are my lifemate, bound to me for all eternity and always in my care."

Buffy stopped drinking and blinked up at him with wide eyes, hearing the passionate declaration accompanied by the odd feeling. It slowly dawned on her and she smiled widely. "Spike..."

He licked the cuts in his wrist closed then pulled her tightly against him again. "Told you the right time would come an' you didn' have t' wait that long, yeah?" He grinned and kissed her lightly.

"And technically, you sorta consummated it.. beforehand..." she shrugged and blushed faintly. "Well, something like it..."

"Yeah, somethin' like it," He chuckled and kissed her again, deeper this time. His hand slid over her body, nearly forgetting everything else but the feel of his lifemate. After a moment, he lifted his head and rested his forehead against hers. "Some things are goin' t' change now, luv. You should know that."

"Like what?" She tilted her head curiously. "From just one blood exchange?"

He leaned back against the headboard. "That an' the bond. We're bonded now an' you can communicate t' me mentally. We've got a mental link." He tapped her temple lightly. "You can get int' my head the way I've been able t' get int' yours. I hide nothin' from you an' leave you t' learn all you want about me. It's the way it should be between lifemates."

"Oh..." She bit her lip. This would need some considering and some exploring later. Later. She wasn't sure if she could handle what might be in his head right away. "And... is that all?"

"No. Because of the first exchange, you're goin' t' have better senses an' find it harder t' eat food, but I'll be there t' make it easier. Can' have you starvin', can I?"

"Speaking of... it's really early. You must've come in before it was even sunset which means you couldn't have went to go feed." Her brows drew together in worry as she studied his face. "And after all that you must be even more hungry."

"I'm fine." A warm feeling spread through him again as she worried over him. He would probably have given her anything at that moment to continue to hear such sweet words from her mouth. "I had plans to eat later while we were out."

"While we were out?" She started to sit up as his words piqued her interest. "Where are we going? And... does this mean we get to actually wear clothes... I mean, you don't expect me to go out in public nude, do you?" She raised a brow.

He gave a low growl, eyes flashing red for a moment. "No one gets t' see my lifemate's body except me."

"Woah. Come back from the dark side." She chuckled.

"You should learn now that us Carpathian males are dangerously territorial, especially when it comes to our lifemates." He replied gruffly and buried his face in her hair. "I have a reservation for us at a very nice restaurant down by the coast. An' yes, I in fact have a very nice dress for you t' wear."

"Okay, so no going down to the local bar to do body shots with the frat boys." She joked and slid off the bed to stand up, feeling a bit better already. She turned around and rested her hands on his shoulders, kissing away his frown. "I'm teasing... you're not the only one with a sense of humour... Now, gimme a few minutes to get myself a nice hot shower then we'll see about this dress of yours. I remember what you consider nice." She stuck out her tongue at him then turned to head for the bathroom.

tbc...