See Me by Kimber
Summary: Spike and Buffy work at the same place. What happens when Spike finally meets the the real woman that is Buffy.......
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 17914 Read: 18601 Published: 08/24/2005 Updated: 09/16/2005

1. Chapter One by Kimber

2. Chapter Two by Kimber

3. Chapter Three by Kimber

4. Chapter Four by Kimber

5. Chapter 5 by Kimber

6. Chapter 6 by Kimber

7. Chapter 7 by Kimber

8. Chapter 8 by Kimber

9. Chapter 9 by Kimber

10. Chapter 10 by Kimber

11. Chapter 11 by Kimber

12. Chapter 12 by Kimber

13. Chapter 13 & Epiloge by Kimber

Chapter One by Kimber
Author's Notes:
There is an implied rape, nothing graphic....
Buffy Anne Summers sat at her desk, working on trying to meet her deadline. Since coming to Masters Financial Services, all that was important to her was doing the best job possible. Nothing was more important to her than her work, for it reflected who she thought she was. When she looked in the mirror she saw herself as professional, dedicated, focused, and career oriented.

Her only friends were outside of work, Willow Rosenberg and Xander Harris. They became her loyal buddies after meeting in the tenth grade ten years ago. Both of her friends had their own lives and loves, but they still found time for her, as she did for them.

Her mistake was in thinking that her co-workers saw her as she perceived herself. She was unaware of how little they really knew her and how much they thought of her as a cold-hearted bitch. Her nickname, which was bantered behind her back around the office, was 'Ice Queen'.

Little did they know, but their 'Ice Queen', harbored feelings toward someone they all worked with. The problem being that she never thought he'd notice her in that way. He always had the most beautiful women on his arm, and he only spoke to her if it pertained to something they were working on together.

She was about to walk into the break room when she heard her name mentioned. "We could ask Buffy to do it."

The sound of laughter made her leery to enter, and then the next words floored her. "What, Buffy the 'Ice Queen' Summers, lower herself by taking on the charity account Mr. Masters is wanting to do pro bono? Get real!"

"True," she heard someone say.

"She's such a bitch."

"I second that."

"I wonder who she slept with to get her position here?"

"Probably Masters himself, since he sure didn't send Mr. Giles' case to her."

Buffy felt the sting of tears threatening to fall as she quickly returned to her office, not noticing the worried look on one of her co-workers face. William Spike Masters watched as the young women he always thought of as unfeeling and cold, hurried back to her office. The pained look on her face touched him for some reason, for the first time he wondered if his previous judgment of her was correct.

His father had told him she was the best employee, because she kept her private life outside of work, gave her job her all, and didn't dabble in the office gossip like the rest of his employees. Preaching all the time that others should give their job half the dedication that Miss Summers did.

He could still remember seeing the disappointment in his father's eyes when he had called Buffy a cold fish one day. His father had just shaken his head and reminded him of all the superficial women in his life. Now, he wondered if his father was right when he suggested that he should try to get to know the real Buffy, the one outside of work.

Buffy fumbled with the doorknob, her tears blinding her. Yes, she never socialized with the others in the office, mostly because they seemed to stay away from her. After the experience at her last job, where she had been told she was too friendly and outgoing, she held back getting too close to anyone at work. It was those overly friendly qualities that got her the attention of one Parker Abrams, someone she'd give anything to forget.

Once she closed the door the dam broke. She slid down the door to sit on the floor and let the tears flow. Soon she was sobbing, as she played their comments over and over again in her head. Only this time they mixed with words told to her from another time.

"Buffy, don't lie to me." Parker's voice sounded smug as he continued to say, "you know you want this."

"No! Parker, stop!" she pleaded, as she tried to keep his hands from going up her skirt. "I don't like you like that. Please stop!"

"Oh, stop lying. You know you want me. Everyday you twitch that sweet little ass, letting me know you want it. Offering to help me all the time, when I know you do it just to get my attention. Those sweet little smiles; going out with me after work for drinks." Parker went on as he forced his hand between her legs.

"Stop it!" Buffy begged as she to hit him with her fists and started to cry. "I was only doing my job, and the drinks were work related. I'm not interested in you like this."

"Playing hard to get, good." He snorted as he hooked his fingers around the sides of her underwear and started to yank them down.

"Oh God! Stop! I don't want this," she cried, as she tried to bring her knee up to help push him off of her.

"Yes, you do, baby."

"STOP!" she screamed, knowing no one was around to help her, since everyone had gone home.

A knock on the door brought Buffy back to reality. Hearing her boss' voice calling her name made her remember where she was. Quickly she stood up and practically ran to her desk. She hoped and prayed that Thomas Masters would think she was not in her office and leave her alone. Dropping down to her knees she crawled under her desk and prayed that he'd go back to his office.

The last thing she wanted was for him, or anyone else, to see how weak she was right now. She sat silently and listened for the telltale squeak of her door that would tell her if he had entered her office. She just needed some time to gather her wits about her before facing the reality outside her office.

She breathed a sigh of relief when no attempt was made to enter her domain, and she crawled out from underneath her desk. She stood briefly before she sat down in her chair, and once again let their words repeat themselves. She had recognized the three people as being Harmony Kendall, Lindsey MacDonald, and Riley Finn.

"First order of business is to find out what Giles needed, and what did they mean by charity case," she muttered to herself, deciding she would show them that she wouldn't mind helping out with the lesser cases; that it was not beneath her at all. In the past, she'd done such work for Mr. Masters, without concern over the money or prestige.

Her job was to represent their clients in finding funding and to incorporate good PR to represent their needs. Mr. Masters told her she was the best he had working for him, because she always put her best forward, and she truly cared about doing the best she could for her clients.

"I'm not an Ice Queen," she growled, as she gathered her make up case and began to fix her face, so no one would know she'd been hiding away in her office crying.

*******
Chapter Two by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Spike talks to someone about Buffy......I wonder if it helps.....
Thomas Masters, President and Founder of Masters Inc., sat behind his desk worrying about his favorite employee. He looked over at his son, and wondered why the young man was so blind to Buffy's good heart. Everyday he wished that he would see more of himself in his son, other than looks.

"She's either left, or she was hiding from me." Thomas sighed, and wondered why Buffy was nowhere to be found. It was not like her to leave and not tell him.

"I'm thinking she needed a moment to herself," Spike suggested, trying to keep his father from noticing that he too was worried about her.

"Will, she's not the cold bitch you all think she is." The elder Masters defended his favorite employee, who he'd come to love like a daughter over the two years she had been in his employ.

"She's standoffish and stuck up." Spike gave his opinion of the girl.

"No. She comes to work and does her job. Do you know why she gets most of the client's?" Thomas asked.

"'Cause she's your favorite suck up," Spike offered his honest opinion.

"No, it's because they ask for her." Thomas chuckled sadly, feeling disappointed that his son was more like his mother than he wanted to admit. "They hear from her other client's how good she is, and they come and ask for her by name. She knows there are times she takes on too much, but she feels it would be a smack in the face of those that recommended her to say no. You would not believe the number of clients I've redirected to the others to help lighten her load and take the brunt of telling them no."

Spike looked shocked. "So you're telling me her being your favorite has nothing to do with it."

"William, it's what makes her my favorite. She represents why we are here. It's not always about the job, but the people we are serving. I'm just sorry you've not come to realize that." Thomas couldn't keep from sounding disappointed in his only child. "I'm afraid you are your mother's son."

Spike's eyes grew large when he heard his father compare him to his mother. Never in a thousand years did he think he was anything like his uncaring, selfish, superficial mother. His father's words hurt deeply.

"How could you say that?" he asked his father, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Why are you here? Is it the money, or do you really want to help our clients find their dreams, no matter how selfish or foolish they may be?" Thomas asked his son, as he continued to explain himself. "I've built this company to do just that. Yes, it has made me a rich man, but it has also given me a chance to see others make their dreams come true. I've also helped those who could not fulfill their dreams find other alternatives that have led to them having very happy live. I have lost very few along the way."

"I take it then that Buffy believes as you do." Spike sat back, feeling a spark of jealousy toward the young woman.

"Yes and no," Thomas answered, and he thought that if they only knew Buffy's history, and why she really kept her distance from her co-workers, they would understand.

"So, you really believe I'm like my mother?" Spike asked, finding it hard to keep the hurt out of his voice.

"Well, she is a part of you, and she's had far more influence in raising you. Something I do regret, not being able to be a better father to you." Thomas smiled at his son, hoping he'd pick up the idea he was trying to convey.

"You are a good father." Spike refuted his father's words. "You spent all the free time you had with me and you made that time mean something."

"Then why do you hold yourself back?" His father asked him. "Why do you judge something you know nothing about, or in this instance someone you really don't know?"

"So, you think I've misjudged your prodigal ideal employee," Spike snorted.

"Yes, I think you have," Thomas agreed, "and I have a solution."

"Oh! I can't wait," Spike huffed, as he leaned back and waited for his father's idea of helping him to get to know Miss Summers better.

"I want you and Buffy to pair off on the Giles' account," Thomas offered. "It's for a good cause, and it might open your eyes to why you should be here doing this job."

"Fine, you get Buffy to agree and so will I." Spike shrugged, knowing she'd refuse. The one time they worked together she was used as a quick consult, and then she was relinquished back to her own project at the time. He was sure his father would see the woman's true colors when she refused to work with a nonpaying client.

"Great, let me see if she's back in her office yet." Thomas' smile would have made a Cheshire cat jealous, as he picked up the phone and dialed her extension. "Buffy, could you please step into my office? I have something I need to run by you."

Spike about choked, when he heard his father say, "Yes, it is about the Giles account. How did you know? Never mind that, do you have some time right now to talk about it? Good, good, see you in a few."

"So, the bird heard something about it?" Spike asked, wondering how something like that made it to her ears, since she didn't talk to anyone.

"I wonder how? I have my suspicions, and I really must consider finding a new secretary." Thomas sighed and sagged back into his chair as he thought to himself that Harmony might need to be let go.

Spike snorted, "What does she do, really?" Wondering why the young woman still held her position.

Thomas just shook his head. "Not much really, she spends more time gossiping and less time working. I really did want to give her a real chance, for her father's sake." He had hired the girl as a favor to his long time friend Harvey Kendall.

Before Spike could respond, there was a knock at the door. Last thing he wanted was for Thomas to find out just how intimately he knew Harmony Kendall. He was sure when his father let the young woman go he would find out. Just the thought of his father's disapproval on finding out that his son had once slept with his secretary made him cringe.

*******
Chapter Three by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Buffy and Spike meet....
Buffy walked into Mr. Masters' office, surprised to see Spike sitting there as well. The pep talk she gave herself before coming over was still beating a mantra in her brain. "I will not let their words break me."

"Buffy, come have a seat." Thomas greeted her with a fatherly smile, noticing that she had been crying, but he was not about to call her on it in front of William.

Spike managed to keep the shocked expression off his face as he thought to himself, 'Looks like Ice Queen might feel more than we think.' He noticed the freshly cried look around her eyes.

Buffy took the seat next to Spike, and offered a silent nod of acknowledgment that he was there. She could not help but wonder if her boss's son had been in the break room agreeing with what the others had been saying about her. The last thing she needed was to find out that he thought of her the same way the others did.

"Buffy, how did you hear about the Giles case?" Thomas asked, knowing she would not say.

"I heard it being bantered around," she replied, feeling proud of how she was keeping herself together right now.

"Care to tell me who?" he asked, wanting to let Spike see her for the good person she was.

"You know I don't work that way." Buffy reminded him she was not a tattler of tales.

Both men noticed the brief look of pain that flashed across her face. If they had not been looking they would have missed it. One man wondered what else Buffy had overheard; the other wondered what could possibly penetrate that thick layer of ice that surrounded her.

"To the business at hand then. You see, Rupert Giles is looking to save his little center called The Magic Box. It's really a wonderful place that helps people, young and old, deal with their problems. It's like an outreach program that thinks no problem is too big or too small. With all the government cuts, he is finding it harder and harder to find the money to effectively stay open, and he has come to us for help," Thomas explained knowing one of the people here would step up to the plate no questions asked.

"Okay, so when do we start?" Buffy asked.

"What no questions on how much you get paid?" Spike could not help but ask, and he regretted it as soon as it left his lips.

Buffy's expression hardened as she fought back her original vulgar reply. "Some thing's are not about the money, but you wouldn't understand that since you've always had it."

"That coming from Buffy Summers, whose father is among the rich and famous," Spike snorted.

"For your information, so we get things clear here." Buffy's voice sounded deadly. "After my father left my mother, we never saw a penny more than what he had to pay in child support until the day I turned eighteen. I mean up until the day that celebrated my birth. What kind of man prorates the month? My mother helped put me through college where my father never coughed up a dime. The day my father moved out I was fifteen, and it was the last time I saw him. Not that I didn't try, but the fact is that he never called me back."

Spike sat back amazed at her transformation from cold and aloof to burning, passionate anger. For the first time, he realized his father was right; there was more to this slip of a girl than he first thought.

"Please accept my apology," Spike said to her, his voice and expression sincere.

Buffy fought to get her emotions back under control, feeling awful for losing control like that. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have lost my temper like that."

"No, you had every right to put me in my place. Never apologize for calling me on my bad behavior. I can be a bad, rude man at times." Spike acknowledged that he deserved her little rant, and that he was thankful for it as well. It opened his eyes to the passionate woman that was buried deep inside.

Thomas smiled, seeing that there was a part of him in his son after all. It made him proud to watch his son accept fault for his rude behavior; a trait his wife never learned, because Gloria never thought she ever did anything wrong.

"Do you have the file for me?" Buffy asked, deciding it was time to change the subject and get back to the business at hand.

"I have everything right here in duplicate," Thomas said with a smile, as he handed them both a file.

"Duplicate?" Buffy asked.

"Yes, you see, I want you and William here to work together on this," Thomas explained. "I think with both of your resources together we just might be able to save The Magic Box."

Spike noticed how she blushed. He found it endearing and thought how it made her appear younger. He would have to ask his father a few more questions concerning the young woman he was beginning to really see for the first time. She intrigued him, and for the first time he wanted to know what made a woman tick, other than sex.

"How about we do the reading and then arrange some time together to go over our ideas?" Buffy suggested, fighting hard not to let him see how nervous she was about working with him.

"I think that's a great idea," Spike agreed, knowing he would be calling her tomorrow first thing. "Then maybe we can make an appointment with Mr. Giles and look over the place."

"I have Wednesday afternoon free," Buffy offered.

"Great, it's a date," Spike teased, enjoying the tinge of pink that appeared on her cheeks.

Buffy decided not to make a fuss by telling him it was not a date. "Do you want to call Mr. Giles or let me?" she asked, as she tried to ignore him calling their meeting a date.

Spike knew she was avoiding his comment, and it made him smile. He wanted, no needed, to find that woman hiding behind the wall of ice. His instincts told him that she was hiding the woman he witnessed earlier for a reason. He would uncover the why, and then he would fight to bring her out into the open.

"How about I call you Monday?" Buffy asked, hoping he did not notice how attracted to him she was. The last thing she needed was for that to get around the office.

"Better yet, let's meet for coffee in your office Monday morning, eight o'clock sharp," Spike suggested. "I'll bring the coffee, and you pick up something all sweet and sinful."

"Black, with splenda," Buffy said. She avoided looking at him, not wanting to see if he was laughing at her…still wondering if he was a part of the group of gossipers in the break room.

"Real sugar, none of that imitation stuff in my pastry, and no prune," Spike requested.

Thomas enjoyed what he was seeing. His son was finally taking a look at Buffy Summers, and he was starting to see the woman hidden beneath the protective shell she had erected around herself. His dream of seeing his son happily married to someone worthy seemed closer to coming true, as he watched his two favorite people interact with one another.

*******
Chapter Four by Kimber
Author's Notes:
This will be the last one until I return...I'm running away for the weekend......
Buffy sat at her desk thinking about the first time she had met Rupert Giles. She had just entered Sunnydale High School, and he was their librarian. He always went out of his way to help those that came to him. He knew which books they would need and was willing to help no matter what the problem, be it school related or personal.

He had been there when her father first left, giving her guidance and support when she cried her heart out. The things she could not tell her mother, she told him. Never did he judge her or berate her feelings. He would just sit listening to her rants, offering suggestions and alternatives to letting her pain and anger out in a more constructive manner.

The day her mother died, he was by her side offering his support. When she needed help in financing her last year of college, he had pointed her in the right directions. When she returned back to Sunnydale, she found herself changed. She was no longer the sweet naïve young woman she had been, and she barely talked to her one time mentor.

She knew he would ask what had happened that made her change so. He was the one person other than her mother that she could not lie too. That made it difficult to face him and keep her secret, so she avoided him instead. Even now she knew he would take one look at her and demand she tell him what happened to make her avoid him of all people.

Needing to get her mind off the personal stuff, she opened the folder and started to read the information she would need to know. She would do everything in her power to keep her mentor's dream alive. It was also a conversation she did not wish to have with either Mr. Masters or Spike earlier. She felt it really did not matter at the time, and she wanted to avoid discussing anything so personal and private with either of them.

*******

Spike sat in his office reading the material before him. The more he read, the more he knew what this man provided was important to the community. This thought, brought a smile to his face as he snickered, "I'm more like you old man than you think."

He started jotting down ideas, so lost in his train of thought that he did not hear his office door open. A sudden noise caused him to look up and notice the pink clad, blonde female standing before him crying.

"Blondie Bear, he fired me," she cried.

"I'm sorry to hear that Harm." He tried to sound sincerely sorry, but failed.

"He can't fire me. You need to tell him not to fire me," she pleaded.

"It's his company. I have no say so in how he runs it," he explained, knowing his one drunken indiscretion with the bint was going to finally come out.

"But, Spikey…we slept together," she pouted.

"That's right, we had a one night stand. One I've told you before I regretted," Spike reminded her. "I was depressed and drank too much after Dru left me for that man with the head of a moose."

Harmony let her claws show as she hissed, "I'm sure a lawyer would see it in a different light."

"I'm sure he can paint it however you both want it to look, but you and I know the truth," Spike replied, with a heated glare. "I will not waste my father's time asking him to take you back. If you'd done your job, we wouldn't be having this conversation then would we?"

"What do you mean? I was good at my job."

"Not very good, might I say loose lips," Spike snorted. "You know how my dad hates gossip."

"I don't gossip," Harmony huffed, knowing she was lying.

"Then explain how Buffy knew about the Giles account," Spike said with a knowing look on his face.

"What, how, I don't know," Harmony stuttered, wondering what else the woman heard.

Spike noticed the panicked look on the woman's face and asked, "What else did she hear?"

"Nothing…I mean there was nothing for her to hear…I never said anything." Harmony knew she had just told on herself.

"Out with it. What else did she hear?" he asked, his patience growing thin.

"She might have overheard us calling her by her nickname," Harmony whispered, knowing all thoughts of keeping her job just flew out the window.

"What have I told you and the others about calling her out of her name?" Spike growled.

"I know, you never liked it when we called her 'Ice Queen'."

"No, I told you never to call her that in front of me or any where someone could hear you." The sound of Spike's voice made her cringe and wish she had never come in here.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not enough. Maybe you've learned something here," Spike told her seriously.

"What, sleeping with the boss's son doesn't always get you what you want?" she asked sarcastically.

"No, you twit. Maybe, the fact that you should perform your next job in a professional manner and competently would be a good lesson here. Maybe, if you put as much time and effort in the actual job as you did the gossiping, you'd be one heck of a secretary," Spike bluntly expressed his thoughts.

"So, I take it you won't talk to you father in my behalf," she sighed.

"You're right, I won't," Spike answered.

"Thanks for nothing, Spike," she huffed as she turned and walked out of his office, slamming the door on her way out.

Spike rolled his eyes after she left. The only productive piece of knowledge he obtained was finding out what had made Buffy cry. Knowing this only made him respect her more, and he wanted to know everything he could about Buffy Summers. He could still envision her eyes shining a brilliant color of green; almost the shade of jade, from when she had gave him the what for earlier.

"I'm not going to rest until I know everything I can about you, Miss Summers. Mark my words…everything." Spike chuckled before going back to reading about the Magic box.

*******
Chapter 5 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Buffy and Spike meet in a social setting, but what is wrong with Buffy? For those that have taken on baring with me....Thanks for doing so......you guys rock.....
Willow called Buffy earlier to see if she would meet her and Tara at the Bronze. They commandeered their usual table in the back, offering them privacy and access to the dance floor if they wanted to dance. She had felt an urge to see Buffy for some reason, and looking at her best friend she was glad she listened to her inner self.

Buffy sat across from Willow working on her second Pina Colada, when normally she would never drink more than one. Willow would occasionally throw her significant other, Tara, a worried look.

"Buffy, sweetie, you know you can tell me anything right?" Willow asked. She had not seen her best friend indulge in alcohol since that one time in college.

"I know, and when I know you'll know." Buffy sighed, and wondered if ingesting the mind-altering substance would erase the words said earlier by her co-workers.

Both Tara and Willow shared a look of concern. "Maybe if you tell us what is it you want to know, we might be able to help you," Tara suggested.

"I found out something today, something not all that nice." Buffy looked at them with tears in her eyes and finally told them. "They call me the 'Ice Queen' at work.

Willow's eyes grew cold and her facial expression angry. "They're idiots. You've said it yourself, they just like to get paid to sit around and gossip like old ladies. They're just jealous is all."

"I can't win. Either I'm too friendly or not friendly enough," Buffy sighed. "I just didn't want another Parker incident."

"Parker was a dingleberry and just not right in the head," Willow said. "Mr. Masters likes you and that's all that matters."

"He's been great," Buffy agreed. "He knew the score with Parker and the mess that caused, and he still hired me and treats me with respect."

"Because he knows you're a good person, and you're good at what you do." Tara added her point of view with an understanding smile. "Buffy, you know what Parker did was not your fault, right?"

Buffy looked over at her and said, "Yes, and then a little bit no."

"Why no?" Willow asked, knowing finally after two and a half years Buffy was really talking to them about when Parker sexually assaulted her.

"I know I did nothing on purpose to attract Parker to me. I really do," Buffy started to explain. For the first time since she attempted counseling in the past, she felt that she could really talk about it. "But something still nags at me that he saw something in my behavior to make him think otherwise."

"Maybe it's what he rationalized in his own mind and had nothing at all to do with you," Tara offered. "Men like him see what they want to see, nothing more. You did nothing to entice his attack on you. His warped sense of reality pushed him beyond caring, and it had nothing at all to do with you."

"I know that here," Buffy said as she pointed to her head.

"Then tell it to your conscience," Willow said, with a soft understanding smile as she pointed to Buffy's chest. "You are a warm caring person, Buffy. I think it would be okay to relax and let your co-workers see that.

Buffy nodded yes, causing a wave of dizziness to come over her. Suddenly, she regretted finishing the second drink as she laid her head down on the table, praying she did not disgrace herself.

*******

Spike stood at the bar, not listening to the conversation around him. His focus was on the petite little blonde talking with the red head and the dark blonde women at her table. He could see by their expression that the conversation was on the serious side. Once Buffy's head hit the table he knew instinctively she was not handling her liquor very well.

"Excuse me!" he said to Angel, as he quickly moved to help the damsel in distress.

Willow could see it in her eyes that Buffy was about to be sick. A sudden movement caused her to notice that a man all dressed in black quickly came to Buffy's aide. The look of concern on his face seemed genuine as she looked over to get Tara's feel about the man.

"They match," Tara whispered, as she read the couple's aura when the man in black quickly helped Buffy to stand.

"Come on, Pet. Let's get you some fresh air," Spike said as he gently helped Buffy to stand.

"Spike, I'm gonna be sick," Buffy pouted. "I don't wanna be sick."

"Shush, Luv. I got ya; no need to worry," he reassured her as he gently picked her up when she almost fell. "Lay your head down while I take you outside for some fresh air."

Willow grabbed the napkins from off the table and followed them out the door, having recognized the name Spike. She wondered if he was one of the culprits that hurt Buffy's feelings today.

Tara smiled, and decided she would wait for their return. She was doing her own version of Xander's snoopy dance in her head, knowing finally Buffy had met the one person meant for her.

Buffy felt better once she was outside. The cool air felt good against her flushed skin. The steady beat of her rescuer's heart against her ear calmed her. She could smell the mixture of his cologne, leather, and smoke.

"You should stop smoking?" she whispered. "It's not really good for you."

"I keep trying." He chuckled and noticed that she was not as tense as when he first picked her up.

"Try harder," she sighed. The alcohol had loosened her up a bit, giving her the courage to speak up.

"Care to give me a reason too," he teased.

"So you can live to see your children grow up," she offered, silently wishing she were the one that would be their mother.

"Well, I have to have them first." He chuckled again, as he envisioned a few little Buffy's running around him.

"You have to find the right woman to have them," Buffy explained.

Her reply was so matter-of-fact like, that he almost asked her right there and then if she would consider doing the honors. The sudden desire to have her be the mother of his children hit him like a ton of bricks. For a moment he really felt dazed, recovering quickly so as not to drop her. The way she fit in his arms made him feel like she belonged there. He could not help but wonder if she was a witch, and that she had cast a spell on him.

Buffy suddenly needed to know if he believed her to be like the others at work did, so she asked him. "Do you think I'm an 'Ice Queen', too?"

Spike felt a surge of anger go through him, seeing the hurt she quickly hid away after asking her question. The first time he heard Harmony call her that he had told her he never wanted to hear it again.

"I never liked it when I heard it before, and I like it even less now," he answered her as he moved to sit on a crate, not wanting to let her go.

"I thought I was doing my job. I didn't want it to be like the last one," she mumbled, wondering why her mouth was not listening to her brain telling it to shut up. "I didn't want it to happen again."

Spike heard the hurt and fear laced in her voice and encouraged her to tell him more. "Didn't want what to happen again, Pet?"

"To be misunderstood."

"How could you be misunderstood, Buffy?" he asked, feeling a tad uneasy when he felt her shudder in his arms.

"It's not something I want to talk about," she muttered uneasily, feeling like she had said too much as it was.

"I'm going to be honest, Pet. I thought you were a bit on the uppity side at first, until today. I realized I'd misjudged you, and I'm sorry for that," Spike told her; happy she was not making any attempts to move off his lap.

Buffy's head slowly lifted up and she tilted her face up to look directly in his eyes. "I didn't want anyone to think I wanted to have sex with them is why, and then force me, like before."

*******
Chapter 6 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
hmmm, more Spuffy interaction.....
Spike couldn't help but think ugly thoughts at what she'd just said, and he so prayed for her that they were not true. Then again, it made everything about her make sense. He could see how something so tragic would cause her to become so impersonal at work. No matter, if his worst thought came to be true, it would not make any difference to him. It would not interfere with how he was starting to feel about her.

Spike noticed how her eyes hardly focused, before she laid her head down and passed out. There was something about how her eyeballs twitched, something he would associate more with drugs than alcohol, but not the recreational kind; more of the illegal date rape kind that he had read about in the news and heard Angel talk about.

"Is she okay?" Willow asked her voice concerned.

"How many drinks has she had?" Spike asked, trying to keep his concern out of his voice.

"Two," Willow answered before adding. "She's not much of a drinker, but she's never been this out of it either after just two drinks."

"Did you notice if she left her drink unattended at anytime tonight?" Spike asked finding it hard to keep his concern hidden.

"I don't know. I didn't go up to the bar with her when she went to get it." Willow's voice started to quiver as she asked, "Should we take her to the hospital?"

Spike looked down at the beautiful young woman who was sleeping on his chest with such a sweet smile on her face. The last thing he wanted to do was cause her any type of embarrassment. He knew she would not appreciate it if he took her to a hospital, only to find she had too much to drink.

"I think we let her sleep it off, and then we ask her if she wants to go when she's able to decide for herself," Spike suggested, already deciding he was going to camp out on her couch.

"She can stay with me and Tara tonight in the guest room," Willow offered. "That way we can keep an eye on her."

"How comfortable is your couch?" Spike asked as he looked over at the door leading to the back way into the club.

A movement had caught his eye, thinking he saw the back door either open or close; he couldn't say for sure. He really started to suspect that someone had slipped Buffy a micky in her drink. He reached in his jacket and pulled out his cell phone and hit speed dial.

Willow watched as he carefully kept Buffy secure on his lap as he dialed. She started to worry that someone had tried to do something bad to her friend, when she suddenly became worried about Tara.

"Tara," she gasped. "I'll be right back."

Spike watched her go, knowing without asking that she was going to check up on the other woman at their table. He cursed that Angel was not answering his phone and wanted to just march in the club and hit him over the head with it.

"Hey, Spike, that you?" Angel finally answered.

"Soddin' took ya long enough," Spike sarcastically replied, and he pulled Buffy closer, feeling like they were being watched.

"I need to you come out back, pronto," Spike instructed Angel. Suddenly he did not feel comfortable being here alone with Buffy on his lap.

"I'm on it, be right there," Angel answered as he started walking to the back door. He had heard the urgency in his friend's voice.

"Where are you going?" Cordy asked her husband, having finally returned from getting a picture of the guy that tried to discreetly follow Spike and the woman he was carrying out the back door.

"Did you get the picture?" Angel asked, as he passed the redheaded woman returning back in to the club.

"Well, duh!" Cordy said as she glared. "Who do you think you're talking to?"

Angel snorted. "Sorry, forgot for a moment, miss secret agent wife."

Cordelia ignored him as she again asked, "Where are we going?"

"Spike called, sounded a bit worried. Thought I'd go see what he wanted, and tell him about mystery guest number three." Angel filled her in as he opened the door and let her pass through before him. "Secret Agent wife first."

"Someone wants to sleep on the couch tonight," she teased him. She felt suddenly uncomfortable seeing Spike sitting on a crate with an unconscious woman cuddled on his lap and an obvious worried look on his face. "Okay, what's going on?"

*******


Spike breathed an obvious sigh of relief when he noticed Angel and Cordy come walking out the back door. Even seeing just Cordelia would have made him happy, for the girl could kick anyone's arse, especially with those cockroach stompers she was wearing tonight; they were lethal.

"I think someone slipped her something of the not so legal kind in her drink," Spike informed them, as they got close enough that he could talk quietly. "I think I might be in need of hiring you."

"Oh, my…you know that means you pay us, right?" Cordelia asked, before Angel would tell his best friend it would be totally on the house.

"Of course I will pay, can't let my god brat go hungry now can I," Spike bantered back.

"I take it has something to do with the girl?" Angel asked, sounding professional now as things started to make sense to him.

"Yeah, but can we talk about it somewhere else. I feel like I'm the bug under the microscope, if you know what I mean," Spike offered, hoping they were not being spied upon. He wanted to catch the bastard that did this.

"I think that would be a great idea." Angel kept his response brief and gave Spike a look that told him not to say anything else out in the open.

As Spike was about to ask Cordy to go back inside and get Buffy's friends, the redhead came bursting outside with her friend in tow. By the way they were holding each other; it appeared their friendship was more than just that. He was sure they were lovers, and the feeling hit him that they were a perfect match for each other.

"Goddess, I'm so sorry. I left and never even told you my name," Willow gasped as she and Tara joined them. "I know Buffy knows you and there's a guy she works with that is named Spike. I mean how many Spike's in the world would know Buffy. I'm Willow and this is my girlfriend, Tara."

Tara shyly waved, smiling at her Willow's nervous chatter. "Hi!"

Spike smiled softly. "Yeah, not many Spike's and Buffy's in the world."

"I'm Cordy O'Brien, and this is my husband Angel. We're friends of Spike, well sometimes." Cordelia teased him. She held out her hand to greet the young women, seeing the same as Spike that these two women were a couple.

"I think we should move this party elsewhere," Angel suggested, as he discreetly looked around.

Spike stood with Buffy in his arms, and smiled when she softly moaned and snuggled closer to him, whispering his name. "Dreaming of me are you?" he softly asked in her ear.

"Dreaming," she replied, her voice barely heard above the blaring of a nearby car horn.

'Oh, Goldilocks, something tells me my life has just gotten complicated,' Spike thought as he followed the others out of the back alley.

"Spike, I'll drive your car," Angel said as he turned to Willow. "Where did Buffy park her car?"

"Buffy brings a cab here," Tara answered, watching Willow gaze at Buffy with such worry on her face. "We're going to take Buffy back to our place."

"Okay, where are you parked and we will meet you there?" Angel asked, as he continued to keep an eye for any signs of someone paying too much attention to their activity.

"Across the street from the entrance," Willow answered. She was starting to really worry now, seeing how serious the tall broody fella was getting.

"Give me your address in case we get separated?" Cordy asked, always backing up her husband's plans.

"2424 Sunstone Drive," Tara answered, picking up on the vibe that all was not well.

Spike followed them, keeping an eye on where he was going, but not listening to things being said. His major concern was getting this girl somewhere safe without him tripping and falling and hurting her in any way.

"Keys, cough them up," Angel instructed Spike. "I'm not going fishing for them."

"Don't worry, Peaches. They're safe out of the reach of my manly jewels," Spike teased. "In my coat pocket, right hand side."

"Funny, Casper," Angel chuckled as he reached in and grabbed the car keys. He took advantage of this time to tell Spike about the picture Cordy shot. "Cordy took a picture of someone acting suspicious when you carried her out of the bar."

"I knew there was a reason I liked her more than you." Spike's words meant to tease, but Angel noticed the look that entered Spike's eyes. He felt sorry for the man, if he was the one responsible.

*******
Chapter 7 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
hmmmm, read on....and realize I'm just really learning how to do cliffhangers really well, or not...hmmmm. Actually they are coming to you was they are given back to me, or not...you be the judge....
Spike continued to watch Buffy as she slept, using his leg as a pillow. He knew when she was starting to come out of the drugged haze she had been in; by the way she was twitching her nose. He had hoped she would not have awakened until they were settled in at Red's house.

His patience was growing thin, only because he wanted to see the face of the man he was going to make pay for this. The nameless man would not get away, and if it was not him, then he would make a visit to the bartender that was on and see what light he could shed on who drugged Miss Summers.

"We're here," Willow said as she slowed down to turn into the driveway.

At the same time the car stopped, Buffy lifted her head slightly off his leg and weakly asked, "What's going on?"

Spike gently assisted her to sit up all the while reassuring her she was okay. "Its okay, Pet. You're fine, now."

Buffy's voice sounded scared as she replied, "I don't feel okay. My heart is racing like I've run a million miles."

Spike scooted closer and slowly pulled her close as he said, "Let's get you into Willow's and we'll talk. I promise, Buffy, you're going to be okay." He was surprised at how she hugged him back, until he felt how she was trembling. "Let's get you inside, Luv."

All Buffy could do was nod her head yes as she let him assist her out of the backseat of Willow's car. When she attempted to stand her legs felt wobbly, causing her to falter a bit. Before she could say or do anything Spike lifted her into his arms and carried her into the house.

"Why do I feel so funny?" Buffy asked, as she rested her head against his shoulder.

"Someone slipped something in your drink," Spike answered, instinctively tightening his hold, realizing if he had not been there something unmentionable would have happened to her.

"Oh! God!" She gasped as the tears fell down her cheeks.

"Buffy, honey, nothing happened," Willow said trying to help her to relax as Spike moved toward the loveseat.

Spike sat down on the small couch, thankful he had worn the short leather tonight. Keeping Buffy on his lap, he wrapped her in his arms and started to reassure her. "Its okay, baby, let it out. I've got you, now."

Buffy huddled close to his chest as she cried, still feeling out of sorts, confused, and dazed. He seemed to be the only thing that felt right about all of this as she continued to find comfort in his presence.

Tara carried over a quilt and laid it over Buffy, seeing how she was shaking. Spike smiled at her with a look of gratitude as he tucked it around the petite blonde woman on his lap.

Spike was about to question where Angel and Cordy where, when he heard the doorbell. The noise startled Buffy, causing him to hug her tighter. "It's only Peaches and Cream coming to make sure we're okay."

Buffy leaned back just far enough she could see his face. "Peaches and Cream?"

"My best friend, at times, and his lovely wife too," he answered, giving her a wink and hoping she would not want to leave off his lap.

"Oh!"

"I think you'll like Cream; her real name being Cordy," Spike reassured her. "Buffy, they might have a picture of the man who did this."

Again, Buffy became unusually emotional as the tears threatened to fall. "How do we prove it?"

"Let's start with taking one step at a time," Spike suggested, and gently cupped her face in his hand as he swore, "I swear Buffy, if he is the one, he will pay for this."

"Shouldn't I go to the hospital?" she asked, leaning into his touch and finding it comforting to have him so close.

"That's one of the things we have to talk about," he explained. "It's your decision and that's why we didn't take you there before now."

Buffy's weak smile told him they'd done the right thing by her. "Thank you!"

"Cordy and Angel can tell you more about it. They see a lot of this, unfortunately, being in their field of work," Spike explained. "They both were detectives once, and now they work privately."

"I see our Sleeping Beauty has awakened," Cordy said as she came to kneel next to the loveseat. "Hi, I'm Cordy, but I'm sure he called me Cream."

"How did you know?" Buffy asked, finding it hard not to smile at Spike's chuckle.

"Oh, he just a riot at party's," Cordy snorted, as she winked. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions?"

"Yeah," she sighed. "Can they test me and see what was used?"

"I've already made a few calls and set up for your blood to be tested at the forensic lab downtown. We just have to get you to an Emergency Room so you can be medically looked at, and file a police report," Cordy explained, recognizing that look of fear that crossed the young woman's face.

"What if nothing comes up?" Buffy asked, not sure what to do.

"Something will come up, I'm sure of it. I'm suspecting whoever did this used what is known on the streets as Special K. In the medical world it's otherwise known as Ketamine. It has anesthetic properties that make it an ideal, 'date rape,' drug. It can render a person unconscious or delirious up to six hours. I'm suspecting you didn't get a really good dose," Cordy explained. "I recommend taking it easy tomorrow, the effects could make you not feel like yourself for a day or two."

Buffy's normally stoic emotions crumbled as she turned to Spike and asked, "Will you come with me?"

"Take you and bring you back," he promised, seeing another depth of this woman that made him feel all protective of her. "Don't worry, Buffy, you are not in this alone."

"Can you look at these two pictures here, and tell me if you recognize one of them?" Angel asked as he motioned to his wife to show Buffy the pictures she saved on her phone camera.

"Here, look and tell me if you know either of them," Cordy instructed, as she first pulled up the picture of the man who got pissed off when Spike carried Buffy out of the bar.

Buffy turned back toward the dark haired woman, while gripping Spike's hand tightly. The name that fell from her lips alerted them she knew the man in the captured photo. Her words of recognition caused both Willow and Tara to react differently. Where the red head's temper became evident, it was the dark blonde's look of fear that alerted Spike that this was not good.

"Parker!" Buffy gasped, as she practically jumped back from the phone.

Spike reacted instinctively by pulling her closer to him and reassured her yet again. "I'm right here."

"Do you know the man he's talking too here?" Cordy asked, her voice staying soothing and supportive, yet staying with the object of gathering the evidence they would need.

At first, Buffy could not look at the phone until Spike encouraged her by saying, "You can do this, Luv. He can't hurt you now, not while I'm in your life. Take a look and see if you know the man."

She looked closer and said, "He's the bartender that served me my last drink."

"Spike, take her down to Mercy. I have a friend working there tonight who will do right by her," Angel instructed, as he put a plan together in his head. "I'm going to make a few calls to a couple old friends on the force and will let you know more after I talk to them."

"This doctor got a name?" Spike asked as he pulled Buffy closer to his chest, feeling her tremble.

"Charles Gunn," Angel answered. "He's great at this. He's also studying to become a forensic doctor, so he knows how to collect the right evidence," Angel replied, as his smile became scary. "Me and the wife have a bartender to interrogate."

"Oh, honey, I love it when you get all manly and fangy on me," Cordy teased as she turned her attention toward her husband, missing the increased paleness of the blonde woman's face.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Buffy warned as she tried to kick off the quilt and stand.

"I gotcha," Spike said as he untangled her from the blanket and carried her quickly toward the bathroom.


TBC tomorrow....I swear.......really I do.....all teh time since the F word is my favorite word, LOL
Chapter 8 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
YOU guys rock.....I'm so pumped from the reviews.....it does brighten my day when I come home in the mornings and read them. Would it be bad of me to pimp my one shot story of Last Temptation of Spike here.....
"Here we are," Spike said as they made it to the bathroom.

Her feet barely touched the ground before she dropped to her knees in front of the toilet. It felt like everything she had eaten the last couple days was trying to come back up, as she hugged the porcelain alter before her. The feel of the cool washcloth on her neck felt good as her stomach started to settle down.

"Just breathe easy, Pet," Spike encouraged as he continued to offer what comfort he could.

"Need to rinse my mouth," she said as she leaned back, trying to not give in to the dizziness.

"Not a problem," he replied as he reached over and flushed the commode before helping her to stand. "Lean on me, I promise I won't let you fall."

Buffy sighed and said, "Rinse mouth, hospital, then home."

Spike agreed as he helped her over to the sink, staying close behind her to help her stand. Their eyes met in the mirror, and they connected for the first time. His soft smile made her realize he was here because he wanted to be, not because he should be. Her expression told him she wanted him here because it was him, not because he just happened to be around.

"Buffy, when all this is said and done, I want you to know something," Spike started to explain. "I want to get to know you."

"Know me?" she asked before she filled the glass with water to rinse out her mouth.

"Yes, know you. What makes you tick; what you think about when you're driving along listening to the radio?"

Buffy's eyes grew big as she quickly said, "I don't drive."

Spike chuckled at the deer caught in the headlights look she had on her face before she rinsed out her mouth. He knew he was going to enjoy this new adventure very much. Even suspected it would take a lifetime to really get to know her, and he still would not know everything he wanted to know about her.

He kept one arm securely around her waist as he opened the medicine cabinet and found the mouthwash. "Here ya go, Pet."

Buffy smiled at him through the mirror and wondered if he had read her mind as she poured more water into the glass before she took the bottle of Listerine out of his hand. "Thanks."

"No problem," he told her silently adding, 'anything for my girl', to himself.

He noticed how pale she still was and asked, "Are you still feeling dizzy?"

She turned in his arms and nodded yes. "I feel like the world is spinning on its axis."

"Lean against me and close your eyes," he told her, feeling the need to hold her in his arms.

Buffy did and suddenly felt better, especially with his arms securely wrapped around her. "Oh, much better, thanks."

"My pleasure, Pet." He chuckled, as he laid his cheek against her head and closed his eyes, enjoying the feeling of closeness. "I want you to come home with me after the hospital."

She stiffened in his arms and replied, "I can't, it just wouldn't be right."

Spike smiled softly as he explained. "If this Parker is involved, he knows where you live and where Willow lives. I have a guest room you can stay in; for tonight, I need to know you're safe, nothing more."

"Oh!" was all she could say, feeling her face getting warmer, as she blushed.

"Buffy, look at me."

Buffy looked up and met his eyes, feeling the intense heat of his stare. Her attraction toward him was immediate the first time she met him. He filled her dreams at night.

"I'm looking," she said, wondering what he wanted from her.

He leaned his forehead against hers. "I meant it when I said I want to know everything about you."

"Why?" she asked him, not feeling confident enough to question him about his involvement with Harmony. She just wanted to bask in the belief that Miss Kendall was lying about her and Spike being involved.

"Because, I want to see if what I'm feeling for you is real."

"Real?"

"Yes, real. I wonder if you could be the one."

"The one?"

He smiled as he leaned back just enough so he could gently kiss her forehead. "I want to explore what seems to be happening between us."

Her eyes grew large as she asked, "Are you sure you want to after tonight?"

"Yes! I also hope one day you can trust me enough to tell me why he frightens you so, and why he'd want to hurt you like this," he explained. "I have my suspicions, and if I'm right he will not walk away from this unscathed."

"Please, don't do something that would make me feel guilty," she pleaded, as she hugged him to her.

"I promise, I will not jeopardize what we might be finding here. But I swear to do everything in my power to protect it," he promised, as he leaned down and kissed the top of her head. "I want more than just a working relationship with you. I want to know how you feel about things; I want to talk, date, and get to see the embarrassing pictures of you growing up."

"Not the pictures," she giggled. "You might run and never come back."

"I don't think so," he replied seriously, and then whispered into her ear. "Could be seeing what my future daughters might look like."

Before she could reply a knock sounded on the door and Angel asked, "Is everything alright in there?"

"Coming out in a second," Spike answered, as he made sure she was not going to fall by stepping back slowly. "Remember, I will wait until you are ready to tell me, and no matter what it won't scare me away."

"Are you sure?" she asked, her voice unsteady, wondering if he would still want to know her if he knew.

"Buffy, I will tell you I'm thinking the worst about what he could've had done to you," he told her, "and I still want to get to know you. If what I suspect happened, it will not make me think less of you, but respect even more the woman you've become."

Buffy felt the tears form, but refused to let herself weaken. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," he said as he gently tucked her hair behind her ears. "Let's go and get this over with, so I can get you home and tucked safely in bed. You need to rest."

"Am I still going to your place?"

"Yes. I will feel better knowing you're safe and sound, and sleeping close by," he said, hoping she'd agree.

"I think I'd feel safer there too." She agreed, knowing after tonight things were going to change between them big time.

She allowed him to assist her out of the bathroom. Upon seeing her friend's worried expressions, she tried to reassure them. "I'm feeling better now."

"Buffy, what are you going to do?" Willow asked, hoping she'd follow Angel and Cordy's advice.

Buffy looked up at Spike and smiled. "Let's go and get this over with."

"I've got your back, Summers," he assured her. Then he turned his attention on Angel and said with an edge to his voice, "Leave no stone unturned."

Both Cordy and Angel recognized his look of deadly determination. Angel realized this girl was important to his friend and silently vowed he do whatever it took to protect her.

"Well, then let's get this show on the road," Cordy said with a wink to her husband, silently confirming that she was thinking along the same lines as he.

"Do you want us to come?" Willow asked.

"How about I call you after? I don't want to have you both out so late," she explained, not wanting anything to happen to her friends.

"Just call us as soon as you know something," Tara replied, seeing a bond forming between the blonde couple, and she knew their friend would be safe with Spike.

"I promise," Buffy replied.

"Will you drop her off here when you're done?" Willow asked, trusting Tara's judgment.

Buffy blushed as she told them of their plans. "No, I'm going back to stay at his place. In his guest room is where in his place I'll be staying."

Willow tried to keep from laughing as she replied, "I think that would be a good idea. He doesn't know where Spike lives."

"That's the plan, Red," Spike said giving the girl a wink.

Tara watched the two couples leave before turning to her lover. "They're meant to be together."

"I think so too."

"Could be we just might marry our Buffy off after all," Tara teased.

"And she will make us Aunties," Willow giggled, as she led her lover toward the couch. "I think it's time to prepare for the waiting."

"Good thing we have cable." Tara sighed, as she gathered the other woman in her arms as they settled in for the long wait.

*******
Chapter 9 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Man you guys rock.....truly. Thank you for all the reviews....they make me happy....very happy.....
Spike sat next to her on the cart as they waited for Dr. Gunn to enter. He could feel the tension radiating off her; it was so thick you could cut it with a knife. His concern for her grew stronger as he watched her slowly withdraw into herself more and more.

"I'm afraid," she whispered, knowing now was the time to tell him everything.

"Why?" he asked, hoping she would finally confirm what he suspected to be true.

"That you won't believe me, or want anything to do with me when I tell you what happened with Parker," she answered as she looked everywhere but at him.

Spike concentrated on listening and not reacting. His first response was to get off the cart and hunt down the bastard that hurt her. The second was to go to her hold her tight and tell her he believed in her. Neither one, he knew, was what she needed from him at that moment.

"I'm listening, and I promise you I won't be so easy to push away," he offered instead, as he reassured her, "and I'm here any time you need to lean on me."

"I was an intern where Parker was working," she began, her voice soft and a bit shaky, and she wrapped her arms tightly around herself. "We worked very closely together, and he got the wrong impression about my feelings for him. Where I saw myself treating him like a friend and co-worker, he saw it as something more. One night he let me know by making a pass at me, one that I refuted. He kept telling me I led him on, gave him signals that I wanted him…"

Spike noticed her close her eyes to fight the tears. "Buffy, you don't have to say anymore unless you feel the need to tell me everything. I can wait as long as you need."

"He forced me…made me…God this is so hard," she confessed, trying to find the courage to finally say aloud want the man had done. "He raped me."

Finally being able to say it felt like a weight had been lifted. The urge to see his reaction made her turn her head to watch him. The different expressions that played across his face kept her from looking away. Seeing the anger, sadness, pain, and determination when his eyes found hers made her hold her breath. Never once did she see disgust flash across his face, or enter his eyes.

"Buffy, you did nothing wrong. No, means no! Be it you teased him or not does not matter," Spike told her, pouring as much caring and support he as could into his words and expression. "I think his stunt tonight shows what a sick bastard he is."

"The partners believed him."

"They are not worthy to walk on the same sidewalk as you," Spike hissed as he opened his arms to her. Fighting the urge to find this Parker and beat him into confessing his sins, and then make him hurt some more.

"Your father hired me when no one else would," she said while slipping into his embrace and allowing him to wrap his arms around her. "He saved me that day when he hired me and told me he believed in me."

"He has an eye for picking out the good ones," Spike said proudly about his father.

"Then why hire Harmony?" she asked, but regretted it shortly after. "I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to ask that one out loud."

Spike chuckled as he answered, "Don't worry, Pet, your secret's safe with me. To be honest, he did it as a favor to her father; nice man, Harvey Kendall."

"I really hadn't meant to let that slip." Silently she wondered why he did not defend his so-called girlfriend. "I know you and she are an item." She managed to find the courage to bring it up, after he said he wanted to get to know her better.

"What?" Spike practically shouted. "I'm not dating her," he said as he leaned back, confused to why she would think that.

"I heard her say that you two where an item," Buffy replied, wondering if Harmony had lied to Lindsey.

"God!" Spike exclaimed as he ran his fingers through his hair, wondering how he could explain his drunken mistake with his father's secretary. "I had just got my final divorce papers and had celebrated with a nice bottle of Jack. Next, thing I remember is waking up the next morning in bed with Harmony, having no memory of what even happened."

"Oh!"

"No, you don't understand. I told her how sorry I was, and that it would never happen again." Spike went on to further explain. "I never was interested in her in that way, and I'm still not."

"So, you didn't divorce your wife to be with her?" Buffy asked.

Spike reeled back as if slapped and growled. "There's no bloody way that would've happened. I divorced my wife because she didn't love me anymore, or should I say she divorced me."

Buffy reached up and gently placed her hand against his cheek and sighed. "She must have been insane to let you get away."

Spike leaned into her touch and smiled. "Or it could have been the best thing she could've done for me."

"Why would you say that?" she asked.

"Then I never would've been here with you," he simply answered and gave her a shy smile.

"There is that." Buffy giggled at his words.

"I'm going to kiss you now," he told her as he leaned down softly placing his lips to hers.

The kiss was soft and sweet, and felt perfect for a first kiss. Spike realized, come tomorrow he might have to start over with getting her to trust him. If so, it would not matter, he believed she would be worth the extra effort in the end.

The knock on the door caused them to pull back, but only so far. Spike immediately scooted closer, putting his arm around her shoulders, offering her his support, and reminding her, "Remember, Luv, you're not in this alone."

Buffy's chin quivered as she voiced her gratitude. "Thank you."
Chapter 10 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
WOW you guys are the best....love the feedback......it makes me smile and my day brighter.....
Both watched as Dr. Gunn entered the room with a tall official looking man behind him. Spike noticed the bulge under the jacket and pegged him as a detective of some kind.

"Miss Summers, Mr. Masters." Dr. Gunn addressed them and then turned to introduce the other male. "This is Detective Lorne Cartis."

"Detective." Spike acknowledged him, his name sounding familiar.

"I used to work with Peaches and Cream," Lorne stated, just like Cordy had told him too.

Spike smirked, "I'm sure Captain Forehead enjoyed his significant other telling you to say that to me."

Lorne out right laughed as he nodded his head yes. "I think they heard his growl clear in Prague."

Buffy relaxed knowing this detective was a friend of Cordy and Angel's. "Are you here to ask me any questions?"

"Yes, sweetness I am, but only a few for right now," he told her, with a soft understanding tone to his voice. "I'm here mostly to make sure we follow the chain of evidence so we have everything in order."

"Gathering evidence?" Buffy asked, her voice sounding scared and anxious.

"Don't worry, all we will need is to get a blood sample and take it down to our forensic lab. From what I've been told, Casper here, happened to be in the right place at the right time." Lorne assured her that was all he was there for.

"I don't remember anything much after finishing my last drink; it's all really sketchy." Buffy told him, suddenly feeling very nervous. "Is it normal for my heart to still feel like its racing?" she asked.

"Yes," Gunn answered and then added. "Tomorrow you will start to feel better."

"Except?" she asked, hearing the 'but' in his voice.

"It's like not being able to find a missing piece to the puzzle you were working on," the doctor tried to explain.

Buffy's eyes widened as she agreed. "Yeah, just like that."

"You will not remember certain things, but I'm sure your friends can fill in the blanks," Dr. Gunn explained. "Accept the fact that nothing bad happened and don't dwell on what might have happened. It can really mess with your head if you don't move on."

"Are there any dangerous side effects I should know about?" Buffy asked as she watched the doctor gather his supplies to draw her blood.

"Any possibility of being pregnant?" he asked as he put the tourniquet on her left arm.

"No," she whispered, starting to blush.

He continued to ask her general health questions as he drew her blood, trying to keep her mind away from what he was doing. He quizzed her about how she was feeling now, and reassured her that it would all pass once the drug was out of her system.

Spike leaned his forehead against the side of her head as his arm tightened its grip around her waist. The sight of blood never bothered him. Needles, now that was a whole different story. Keeping his eyes closed, he leaned in and whispered in her ear. "I gotcha Summers."

By closing her eyes and letting his touch and words sink in, she was able to tolerate the blood draw much easier. She could not help but feel as if his presence beside her was as it should be. By him being here with her, she felt she had the confidence to face whatever Parker had in store for her.

Buffy watched as the doctor labeled the blood tube and handed it over to the detective. She noticed as both men signed several pieces of paper, before they turned their attention back toward her.

"Miss Summers, do you think you can identify the man who served you your last drink at the Bronze tonight?" Lorne asked, his voice sounding all official like.

"Yes, I can," she answered.

"Did you recognize anyone from the pictures that Cordelia O'Brien showed you earlier this evening?" he asked, holding up the tape recorder, while giving her a wink.

"Yes," Buffy answered, trying not to get too nervous.

"Can you tell me who it was?"

"The first one was Parker Abrams, and the second one was Parker with the bartender that served me both my drinks tonight," Buffy replied, squeezing Spike's hand so hard he was sure he'd find some bruising there tomorrow. She went on to explain about how Parker had sexually assaulted her several years back.

"Listen, buttercup, I'm going to need you to come to the station first thing Monday," Lorne began to explain. "You will need to talk to our prosecutor, Lilah Morgan, who will then tell you your options. We should have some answers from the tests on your blood within three to five days, seven at the most."

"Okay," she sighed. "Do you have her number?"

"Sure do sweetie pie." Lorne said, as he handed her a business card with the woman's information on it. "She will be expecting your call, you see a birdie already spilled the beans to her."

"I will call her first thing Monday," Buffy replied as she continued to stare at the little piece of paper that was about to change her life, maybe for the good, or the bad.

"Do you have some where safe to stay?" Lorne asked, not feeling comfortable with the young woman being alone right now.

"She's staying with me, in my guest room," Spike answered as he gently removed the card from Buffy's hand and placed it in his jacket pocket. "Angel has my number."

"Good, she's in safe hands then," Lorne said with a now relaxed smile. "If I need anything else, I'll give tall dark and broody a call then."

Spike chuckled, liking this man all the more after he made fun of Angel. He turned his attention back to the doctor. "Anything else, Doc, or can I take my girl home now?"

Buffy felt a shiver run down her back when she heard him address her as his girl. Deep down she wished it were true, that she was his girl. Instead, she pushed it back down deep, not ready to think that their relationship could ever be that intimate.

"We are done here. Give me a moment and someone will be back with her discharge papers," Dr. Gunn replied. "Just remember to have her drink plenty of fluids, preferably of the non-caffeine variety."

"You know, I'm right here, and I can take care of myself," Buffy huffed, starting to feel a bit angry at how Spike was becoming major caretaker, and the others were following along.

Spike leaned down and looked her right in the eyes as he gently informed her, "Get used to being taken care of. Your life has been lacking someone performing that little pleasure."

Buffy's eyes grew big, hearing his implied intention. "No one's ever stayed around for me to let it happen."

"How about we look at taking care of each other, yeah?" he asked, knowing without a doubt this woman was who he had been looking for all of his life. He realized that Drusilla had just been a distraction, or someone that would make him appreciate finding Buffy even more.

"I think we can negotiate something," Buffy replied, her voice playful, and teasing. Something which surprised her, and she wondered if it was still the side effects of the drug.

"The nurse will be right with you, so you both can get home and take care of each other," Dr. Gunn said with a chuckle as he walked to the door to leave.

Both Buffy and Spike told him goodbye and thank you before turning their attention on the detective who had a silly smile on his face.

"So, what's next?" Spike asked him, wondering what the man was smiling about.

"I'm off to see the wizard about some blood tests and talk to Mr. and Mrs. Crimefighters extraordinaire and see what they've found out so far," Lorne told him, as he fought the urge to tell Spike to stop fighting the feelings and just go home and get down and dirty already.

"Tell, Captain Forehead to call me after the three of you pow wow, or whatever it is you law enforcement types do," Spike requested, wanting to hear where things stood with Parker and the bartender.

Lorne gave him a serious look before offering him his advice. "I think you need to get your girl home, and you both get some rest. I will have Angel call you in the morning, unless it's something you really need to know on the pronto. I think if you rest, Miss Buffy here, will rest that much more."

Spike realized that he was telling him that more than likely there would be nothing to wait up to hear. "Right, then. Tell him to call me when he knows something."

"Will do, Sunshine. Don't forget to go and visit Lilah first thing Monday." Lorne reminded them of their appointment before he gave Buffy a wink. "Don't you worry too much; I promise we will do everything possible to take care of this matter as quickly and as painlessly as possible. Well, for you that is."

"Please be careful. I don't want anyone in trouble over this," Buffy said, hoping none of them did anything they would regret later on down the road.

"No one except the guilty party will know what trouble is," Lorne reassured her. When the nurse came in with some discharge papers he added, "Well, I'm taking this as my cue to run. You both take care and I'll be in touch."
Chapter 11 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Thank to everyone....again.....it's great to hear what you think.......
Buffy quickly signed her discharge papers, then let Spike escort her out of the hospital and to his car. She could not help but feel safe in his presence. He stayed so close, and constantly had his hand touching her lower back as they walked. How he opened the door and assisted her into the car made her feel special and cared for.

"If you fall asleep during the ride, I won't take it personal," he teased, before placing a brief kiss upon her lips.

"Spike?"

"Buffy?"

"Where is this thing between us going?" she asked wondering why he was suddenly so interested in her.

"Let's just say, today my eyes where opened to a treasure I didn't know existed." He answered as he shut the door, giving her brain some food for thought.

Her mind churned on the possible meaning of his words. She waited until he was securely in the car with his seatbelt fastened before she asked, "Are you talking about me?"

"Yes, my pretty, I am," he told her as he put the key in the ignition and started the car. "Now take a nap sweetheart, and I will wake you when we get home."

Hearing the word home from between his lips brought a smile to her face, and she did not fight the tiredness that soon came over her. The hum of the car's engine, the punk rock softly playing in the background, and the familiar scent of Spike allowed her to relax and take his advice. She would wait and see what tomorrow brought.

Spike fought the urge to light up, taking into consideration that his girl didn't smoke. He thought to himself that she just might be the inspiration he needed to stop altogether. Calling his doctor and having the man prescribe for him the nicotine patch was placed on the list of things to do tomorrow. The future started to look rather bright as he glanced over and noticed Buffy had fallen asleep.

He rolled his eyes as he noticed he had done another first tonight; he was driving the speed limit and following more traffic rules then he was used to. Tomorrow was going to be a new beginning, and he couldn't wait to call his father with the good news. For some odd reason, he was sure his father was going to be one happy old man when he heard the news about him and Buffy. For a brief moment he pictured a blonde little girl with green eyes sitting on Thomas' lap.

*******

Buffy yawned and stretched when he woke her; she blinked her eyes she smiled up at him. Her smile was like a ray of sunshine that warmed his heart, and something he would like to see everyday.

"Come on, sleepyhead, let's get you inside and all tucked in, then."

"I don't have anything to sleep in," she sighed as she let him help her out of the car.

"I'm sure I can find something of mine you can wear to bed," he offered, and he wrapped his arm around her waist as he hit the car alarm button on his key chain.

"Okay," she whispered, hoping he couldn't hear how her heart started to pound in her chest.

Buffy could not help but wonder how a person could feel comfortable and anxious at the same time. The anxiety she was feeling had nothing really to do with Spike, more like what Monday would bring. So far he had kept his promise and did not appear to be disgusted or ashamed to know her.

"Penny for your thoughts, Pet," he said, already knowing she was thinking something serious by the expressions filtering across her face.

"Just thinking ahead and pondering my future," she sighed.

"Am I in it?" he asked.

"Are you sure you want to be? This could get ugly." She answered his question with a question.

"I can handle anything, baby. I'm here for you." He tried to reassure her, knowing with all she had been through it would take time and patience for her to find her confidence again.

He could never understand the reason a man would force himself on woman, especially when you could buy sex from those willing to sell their bodies. There were two things that he found appalling, one was a rapist, and the other was anyone who could hurt a child in any form or fashion. If he had his hands on this Parker fellow, he would make the man pay dearly for what he had done tonight and a few years ago.

He unlocked the door; opened it and led her into his home. Never letting her slip away, he closed and relocked the door, before he disengaged the alarm, and then reset it for them being in the house.

"Let's get you settled on the couch and give you something cool to drink. Then I'll go get the guest room ready and put something out for you to sleep in," he instructed, as he led her to the couch.

Buffy took the time to admire his décor, loving the dark with the light. The room was definitely not a place for kids, not with the white carpet. The black leather couch and other dark fixtures stood out and gave it a masculine feel. She could not help but smile when he sat her on the couch and took the throw off the back and tucked it around her.

"I won't be long, Pet."

"Okay."

Spike hurried upstairs to prepare the guest room. Then he went into his bedroom and opened the drawer that held the one pair of pajama's he owned. He kept them for special occasions, like company. He smiled as he pictured what she would look like wearing just the top, which was black silk that buttoned up the front. He was sure it would be perfect for her to sleep in.

Leaving the top to the silk pajamas lying across the guest bed, he hurried to rejoin his guest. She looked perfect sitting there trying to fight the sleep that was beckoning her. Taking a moment, he drank in her beauty, and wondered how he could have missed it before.

Then he realized that it was because he was everything his father accused him of being. After Dru, he had turned himself off from the world and stopped caring about everything in it. Now, this slip of a woman had opened his eyes and brought him back from the empty place where his ex-wife had sent him.

"Ready for bed, Luv?" he asked, holding out his hand toward her.

He noticed the blush to her cheeks at his question, and it made him smile. If he had his way she would be going to his bed, but he knew it would be along time before that happened. The funny thing was, he knew he could wait, and he would.

"Yeah, I'm finding it hard to keep my eyes open."

"Then come along. I put something for you to wear on the end of the bed," he told her as he took her hand and helped her to stand.

They quietly walked up the stairs, with his hand gently touching her lower back. He directed her to the guest room, and she noticed it too had a manly touch in the décor, making her realize no woman had lived here as far as she could tell.

"Here ya go, luv. I'll just be across the hall if you need anything. Don't hesitate to come and get me," he instructed her, giving her time to nod her head before leaving the room reluctantly, closing the door behind him.

Suddenly, she felt nervous and afraid for some reason. Now that he was no longer close, she wished that he were still near. Again, she was not sure if he had gotten under her radar, or it was a side effect of the drug.

"Not like he's too far away," she mumbled to herself as she started to undress, leaving on her underwear, and put on the top he left out for her. The cool silk felt good against her skin.

*******
Chapter 12 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Thank you for everyone that taken the time to read and review.......
CHAPTER TWELVE

Spike slipped on the bottoms, feeling like it gave him a connection to her since she was wearing the matching top. He knew it was nonsense and sappy to think it, but for once he felt his softer poet side coming out. It was a part of him that he buried deeply and hid from sight a long time ago.

He kept looking at the door, fighting the urge to go and check on her. Buffy Summers brought out the protector in him, and he was not sure if it was because of what happened tonight, or because she had gotten under his skin. The need to make sure she was okay pushed him to walk toward the door, with the intent to go and check on her.

The soft knock on his door, right before his hand touched the knob, surprised him. Slowly, he opened the door, noticing how vulnerable she appeared, and how sexy she looked standing there in his shirt. He had forgotten that he was wearing only the pants that matched her top until he noticed how she blushed.

"Do you need something, Kitten?" he asked softly, noticing how nervous she was acting.

"I'm…it's scary." She tried to say, how she did not like being alone right now.

"You can sleep next to me, if you'd like. I promise not to bite," he offered. "I will be a gentleman and sleep on top of the blankets."

She sighed, her relief as she took the hand he held out to her, and allowed him to lead her to his bed, while noticing how muscular his torso was. Watching as he turned down the covers and then positioned her next to the bed made her feel like a child at first, but his words as he tucked her in changed all that.

"We all deserve to be pampered when bad things happen," he told her before leaning down and kissing her nose. "Sweet dreams, Kitten."

She smiled as she watched him walk over to the other side of the bed. Lying on her side facing away from him, she felt the bed dip under his weight, and she snuggled deeper into the pillow as she finally felt safe enough to let sleep over take her.

Spike rolled on his side so he could face her back. He knew the moment she fell asleep when her breathing slowed and her body relaxed. Time had no meaning as he lay watching her sleep, and he smiled to himself when she moved closer to him as she slept. Eventually he could not fight it any longer as his eyes closed and he too drifted off.

*******

Buffy felt warm and safe as she started to awaken. She could not place what was different, but she could feel her pillow moving. Her eyes opened when something moved along the lower portion of her back alerting her that she was not alone.

Spike moved instinctively with her while he slept. The thought of him having Buffy radar entered her mind. The presence of his hand on her back felt like it belonged there. She wondered at how the fit of their bodies was like two pieces of a puzzle; it felt so right.

Looking down, she noticed her leg nestled between his, feeling the outline of his manhood against her thigh. She tried everything she could to keep from rubbing against it, since she felt his aroused state already. She was not ignorant to the fact that men at times woke up with erections.

The thought that he might think she wanted him sexually caused her body to become ridged and stiff. Even if her inner voice was telling her that Spike would not think like that, she still could not shake the feeling. Slowly she lifted her head and looked to see if she could find out what time it was. Upon seeing the time was only 6 a.m, she decided to try and fall back asleep, not wanting to bring further attention to their position.

Spike found himself awake and wondered how to address the issue of how their bodies where sweetly tangled together. The last thing he wanted was to embarrass her with how his body was reacting to hers. So he let her call the shots; if she stayed snuggled against him so be it.

He felt himself falling back to sleep as her body began to relax against his. Her slow steady breathing told him she had fallen back asleep. The plan he had come up with was to wake up before her and be out of bed before she woke up again. The last thing he wanted was to make her uncomfortable around him, and he was sure she would be with his current state of arousal.

*******

Buffy woke up alone, feeling hurt and lonely. She knew it was ridiculous to expect him to have stayed in bed with her, and she berated herself for even thinking about him being more to her than a friend right now.

She rolled over as she stretched her body and nearly screamed when she noticed him sitting in the chair bedside the bed. The fact that he was fully dressed was not lost on her, as she felt shy all of a sudden.

"Good morning, Pet. I hope you had a nice sleep." He greeted her with a welcoming smile.

"Slept like a baby," she replied as she sat up, keeping the covers across her lap. "How about you?"

"Never slept better," he answered, as he tilted his head to the side and gave her a warm smile. "I have to say it was nice waking up with you next to me."

Buffy tried not to pout when she said, "I can't say the same, since you're there all dressed, and I'm here still in sleepwear."

"I'll be honest, Kitten. You, me, same bed, and said lovely sexy sleepwear was way to tempting for a bad, rude man like me," he honestly shared, wanting her to know right from the start. "Didn't want scare you away before I've had a chance to woo you with my charm and wit."

"I appreciate the clarification of why I woke up alone."

"But not really, Luv. I've been right here the entire time jealous of my bed and linen," he said with a serious look on his face. "I plan on taking my time when it comes to you."

"I've not been in a relationship since it happened."

"I haven't either since Dru left me, nothing serious that is," he told her, figuring he should be honest with her as well. "I'm willing to try if you are."

"Do you like animals?"

"Depends on the species," he replied, noticing how she was softly smiling.

"Many species."

"What do you have in mind?" he asked, curious to where she was going here.

"Would you like to go to the Zoo today?" she asked. "Do something datish-like but also with a friends getting to know each other feel to it."

"Lord, Buffy, I've never been to a Zoo, not even as a kid."

"Well, then no time like the present," she encouraged him as she gave him a wide grin.

"Let's go! We can stop by your place, so you can clean up and pick up your walking shoes," he said, thinking it would be a lovely time spent together.

"Great!" she squealed as she pushed off the blankets, not paying attention to how his eyes watched her leave his bed.

"How about you pack a bag and spend the weekend. Maybe we can see about going to Disneyland tomorrow," he suggested, deciding he would take her mind off the badness of last night and what needed to be done come Monday.

"If I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to win me over with Mickey and the boys." She teased him as she turned to start to make his bed.

"Leave it, Pet. It's only going to get messed up again tonight," Spike said as he stood and stopped her before he saw anymore of her lovely bottom.

"Are you sure?" she asked, looking up at him with an uncertain look in her eyes.

"I say this weekend is just about us having fun and spending time together. Making beds be damned, and the dishes too."

"No, we need to do dishes," she disagreed.

"Well, we can solve that one….no eating in…means no dirty dishes," he decided, giving her a wink before sticking out his tongue and saying, "My house, my rules."

"Fine. Let me go get dressed and we are so outta here. Sunshine and monkey's here we come."

"Lions, Tigers, and Bears, oh my!" he sang, as he watched her quickly leave his room.

"Oh, Goldilocks, you've got me hook, line, and sinker." He sighed, as he realized he had fallen in love.

*******
Chapter 13 & Epiloge by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Read the note at the end of the story. I wish to thank everyone who has stayed with me on this.....it's been nice to write somehting short, romanitic and not so tasking on my brian.....
Spike stood and watched his girl just hold the phone and stare at it. The weekend had passed too quickly, and the glare of Monday was upon them. He had called his father Saturday to let him know what had transpired on Friday, and that he and Buffy would not be in to work on Monday. His father had made him promise to take care of Buffy, and to call first thing after talking with Miss Morgan.

Buffy turned to look at the man who had become her strength over the weekend. Never would she have imagined her fantasy of being a part of his life would become so real. All weekend she had spent with him, sleeping in his bed. Never once did he make a pass, but she knew he wanted her. It was the patience he was showing her that ended up giving her the courage to dial the number on the business card Lorne had given her.

"Miss Morgan's office," a southern female answered. "Miss Burkle speaking."

"Hi, Miss Burkle. I'm…I mean…Miss Morgan is expecting my call," she said, and after a few moments she realized she had not given her name. "Sorry, my name is Buffy Summers."

"Oh, Miss Summers, she is expecting your call, hold the line please," the woman's friendly voice informed her, helping Buffy to relax.

Spike crossed the room and wrapped his arms lightly around her waist, smiling when she leaned back against him. The more he did this, or just touched her in any way, the more he knew this woman was who he wanted to grow old with. Before now, he had turned his nose up to those who had spoken of true love, but now he was a firm believer.

"Good morning, Miss Summers, I'm Lilah Morgan. Seems, you have some very influential friends around here."

"Oh, really, who?" Buffy asked, not knowing who the woman might be talking about.

"Lorne, Angel, Cordy, for a few. Then, Thomas Masters is making it known he wants the best for you as well."

Buffy was speechless at first as she turned her face toward Spike. "Do you think you can help me?"

"Oh, I plan on helping you to the best of my ability and to the full extent of the law," she promised. "Mr. Masters put an idea in my head, and I've already sent my assistant out to start gathering some more information and possible evidence against Mr. Abrahms. I've already sent a few detectives to bring him in for questioning, and the bartender too."

"You work fast."

"It helps that I started on this yesterday."

"Yesterday? But it was Sunday."

"Miss Summers, like I said you've got some very influential people behind you," she reminded her as she added, "and my gut is telling me you might not be the only one he's done something like this too. So, I'm out for blood here; I hate men who prey on women, and I think he's gotten away with too much of that already."

"Do you want me to come down?"

"Most assuredly. I want to take this monster down. How soon can you get here?" she asked.

"I can be there within the hour," Buffy answered as she reached with her free hand to grab Spike's.

"I will be waiting, and so you know, I plan on making him pay for everything he's done to you."

Buffy felt the tears flow, feeling like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Someone that could do something about this actually believed in her and wanted to help.

"Thank you."

"For what?" Lilah asked.

"For believing in me."

"I not only believe in you, but will fight for you to have your day in court and justice as well," Lilah promised. "I will be waiting."

"I will be there," Buffy replied as she hung up the phone.

"I take it she's going to take the bastard down," Spike said with an evil smile.

"Yes. We're going to make him wish he had never met me," Buffy returned, finding for the first time the confidence that she could finally face Parker and not crumble.

"That's my girl."

"Am I your girl?" she asked.

"Try and not be and see what happens," he growled, before he claimed her lips in a searing kiss.

Buffy felt like her entire body was on fire as she reluctantly broke the kiss. "I told her I'd be there in about an hour."

"Then let's go," he replied as he leaned down to kiss her forehead.

Her voice sounding hesitant as she asked, "You'll come with?"

"Try and keep me away; in for a penny in for a pound, baby," he assured her. "We're in this together, Buffy."

"Good, 'cause I'm not sure I could do it without you," she told him, hoping he understand what that meant.

"You'll never be alone again." He understood what she was telling him and knew that she was opening up and letting him inside her protective armor. She was letting him see all of her, and he was thankful for it.

"Spike, I'm not sure when…you know…I can go further with-" She never got to finish, with him gently placing his finger over her lips.

"One day, one step at a time. We'll get through this together and be stronger for it. You aren't the only one taking a chance here." He assured her and reminded her of his vulnerability as well.

"Then you're here for me, and I'm here for you."

"'Til the end of the world, and beyond," he replied as he took her hand and led her out of his apartment.

*******

ONE YEAR LATER

Buffy began to feel dizzy as her husband twirled her on the dance floor. It did not help she had drunk a few glasses of Champaign to boot. The wedding had been wonderful, with not a dry eye in the house when Spike had finished saying his vows. Promising to love, protect, and honor their vows, for she is what made living worth it by loving him. He blessed the day she made him take notice, and made him really see the true treasure that he now called his wife, his mate, and his reason for being born.

Just remembering the intense look he gave her as he said those words made her heart race, and she did not care who was looking as she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. He was her world and God help anyone who tried to take him away from her, including the man upstairs.

The need for air and everyone's applause broke them apart, but barely. One had to look closely to see any space between their faces as they stared in to each other's eyes. Everyone stood in awe at the love the couple expressed with just a glance.

Since that day that Buffy and Spike ran into each other at the bar, they had been inseparable. Parker and his cohort in Buffy's drugging were currently spending some much needed time being up close and personal at the state facility. It seemed the bartender talked, when offered a lesser sentence in return.

Lilah Morgan also had done a wonderful job and had found other interns who came forward and talked about how he had abused them as well. His downfall caused a few heads to roll at Buffy's old place of employment.

"Mrs. Masters, you have made me the happiest man alive today." Spike sighed, as he rubbed his nose against hers and lightly kissed her lips.

"Mr. Masters, I swear it's a tie, for your words today made me fall even more head over heels in love with you," she replied, as she repeated the nose touching and kiss. "Can we go home now? I want to ravage my husband something terrible."

Spike's laughter shook his entire body as he swept her up into his arms and carried her out of the reception. No one seemed surprised, and if you asked those in the wedding party they would have said, "We're surprised they stayed this long."

Thomas Masters stood watching as his two favorite people left together, basking in the feeling of being happy for his son and the woman he loved like a daughter. Other than when he had brought William home for the first time, today was the happiest day of his life so far. However, he was sure that the birth of his first grandchild, if he lived to see it, would come close to beating it.

"To my children, may God look down up you both and keep you safe from harm's way." He silently blessed the loving couple.


The End.


Relax....there is a sequel in my head that will give you the missing year here.....and might even include the day at the zoo.......