Culinary Chaos by Allison
Summary: Spike Brooks runs a restaurant in Sunnydale and soon finds himself to be a rival of Buffy Summers, an up-and-coming pastry shop owner. After they both enter the same competition, Spike fights to maintain the title of being the best dessert maker in town while Buffy struggles to prove that she is just as good, if not better. Who will win, and what will become of the loser? Will they remain enemies, or will the competition actually bring them closer together? *Awarded Best Romance Fic Runner-Up, Best Long Fic Winner, and Judge's Choice at the Blood Ties Awards!*
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Parody, Angst
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 24861 Read: 27328 Published: 09/19/2005 Updated: 10/20/2005

1. Spying on Competition by Allison

2. It's Only Fair by Allison

3. Disrupting a Good Night by Allison

4. The Calm Before the Storm by Allison

5. Still in the Game by Allison

6. Sharing the Wealth by Allison

7. When a Kingdom Crumbles by Allison

8. Until Further Notice by Allison

9. Fantasizing About the Enemy by Allison

10. The Second Time Around by Allison

11. A Stolen Kiss… and Bite by Allison

12. Contractually Bound by Allison

13. Puppy Love by Allison

14. A Bowl Full of Whipped Cream by Allison

15. Then the Morning Came by Allison

16. What She Deserves by Allison

17. Pleasant Surprises by Allison

18. Chocolate, A Symbol of Devotion by Allison

Spying on Competition by Allison
Author's Notes:
I've decided I want to start posting this before "Kitchen Confidential" premieres on TV because I don't want people to think I got inspired from the show- actually, this is kind of a true story based on what happened at my job over the summer. I hope you like this first chapter, and if people like it enough, I'll try to post chapter 2 sooner rather than later!
Spike Brooks looked around the kitchen of his restaurant and shook his head, crossing his arms.

“This place looks like hell,” he said loudly, getting the attention of his employees, who were madly scurrying about, trying to finish completing orders for the restaurant’s customers. “There’s flour all over the floor, truffles melting on the counter, and is that a rag beside the oven, dangerously close to the flame beneath the saucepan?”

“Sorry,” his friend Xander said, grabbing the rag quickly.

“Are you trying to burn the place down, whelp?” Spike asked, shooting a pointed look at the brunette man. “I didn’t know sabotaging your place of work was a priority.”

“It was a mistake,” Xander replied sincerely. “I’m sorry.” Spike sighed and unfolded his arms, putting his hands in his pockets instead.

“I’m sorry, everyone,” he said, looking around at the people watching him nervously. “I’m under a lot of stress, especially with the competition coming up.”

“You’ll do great,” Xander said, patting his shoulder. “Andrew and I are going to help you through it, alright?” Spike looked at Andrew, who was cutting up a head of lettuce and nodding in agreement. “Plus, I think Jonathon and Warren volunteered to do some of the prep work before the competition starts.”

“I just wish it was over already,” Spike said, running a hand over his face, frustrated. “There’s a lot riding on this one, you know.”

“Spike, you’ve won the last five years, ever since you opened Chantarelle’s,” Andrew said, looking at his boss and friend. “I wouldn’t worry so much if I were you.”

“Yeah, but now I have to contend with Buffy Summers, the owner of Joyce’s Pastry Shop,” Spike replied, annoyed. “And I’ve been told she’s one hell of a chef.”

“She’s a newbie,” Xander said, and Spike looked at him with a quirked eyebrow. “People tend to stick with what they know, which means that you’ve got an advantage over her.”

“Are you saying I’m old?” Spike asked, his tone becoming light. Xander smiled and stirred the sauce on the oven. “So, who wants to go spy on my major competition with me?”

“I will,” both Xander and Andrew said in unison, causing Spike to chuckle.

* * * * *

“Anya, you put way too much sugar in this,” Buffy said, making a face as she took another bite of a piece of cheesecake. “I can’t sell cakes that taste like this.”

“I’m sorry,” Anya apologized, taking off her apron. “But you distracted me while I was pouring it into the mixer.”

“How did I distract you? By telling you that it’s hot in here?” Buffy asked, frowning. “You need to be more careful. I don’t want to throw away a bunch of otherwise perfect cheesecakes.”

“I know,” her friend said, grabbing a tray of éclairs and following her boss into the storefront of the building. “So, are you excited for the Best Dessert In Sunnydale Competition?”

“Of course,” Buffy answered, smiling. “I’ve been looking forward to it ever since I applied at culinary school years ago.”

“Need help unloading those?” their friend Willow asked, appearing from behind them, pointing to the tray Anya was holding. “I finished the dishes.”

“Sure,” Anya said, putting the tray down on a counter as Willow walked over to her.

“Do either of you need my help?” Buffy asked, and both women shook their heads. “I’ll be in the back, working on my top secret project.”

“Is that code for you’ll be on-line?” Willow asked, and Buffy laughed.

“Pretty much,” Buffy replied, walking away from the girls as the door opened, three men walking inside and looking around.

“May we help you?” Anya asked, looking at them with a hopeful expression.

“Yeah,” Xander said, stepping forward and smiling at the blonde woman. “We’d like to sample some of your products.”

“I’m getting married soon and offered to find a cake for my reception,” Spike partially lied, smiling at the women. “But it seems you sell more than just cakes.”

“We have a wide variety of things,” Willow said, motioning to the glass coolers and display cases surrounding her. “Macaroons, truffles, mini cakes, cheesecake suckers, and these really neat cookies that we fill with jelly.” Xander looked at the cookies and grinned, suddenly becoming hungry. “Would you like to try a little bit of everything?”

“Sure,” Spike answered, nonchalantly surveying the room as Anya and Willow began taking trays out and putting samples on little plates. Xander and Andrew sat down at a table and motioned for Spike to join them, but he indiscreetly shook his head and continued to visually assess the place. “Pretty nice business for such young women to run.”

“Oh, it’s not ours,” Anya said, putting three plates down on the table that Xander and Andrew were occupying. “Our friend Buffy owns it.”

“Oh,” Spike said, finally knowing for certain that neither of them was his competitor.

‘Probably better this way,’ he thought as he sat with his friends and looked at the plate of dessert samples in front of him. ‘Along with being safer. If she saw us now and then at the competition, we might have a problem on our hands.’

“Dig in,” Willow said, handing them forks. All three men chose a different sample first and all made pleased faces as they swallowed the delicious desserts.

‘Wow,’ Spike thought, surprised. ‘If this is Buffy’s work, then she’s pretty good.’ He paused. ‘But not as good as I am.’

The three men continued eating until their plates were empty and stood up to dispose of them.

“So, what’s the consensus?” Willow asked after talking to several customers who had sat down.

“We’ll get back to you,” Spike answered, smiling. “I’m particularly fond of the key lime cheesecake.”

“Me too,” she said, returning his smile. “Well, if we don’t see you again, good luck with your wedding and congratulations.”

“Thank you,” he replied, turning around and exiting the building, his friends behind him.

Buffy stood in the doorway, her arms crossed over her chest and an irritated look on her face. Willow noticed her and raised an eyebrow at her friend’s cross expression.

“What’s wrong?” the redhead asked, worried.

“What the hell was Spike Brooks doing in here?” Buffy asked, and Willow’s face fell.

“That was him?” she asked, and Buffy nodded sternly. “I didn’t recognize him from his picture in the paper.” She paused and looked outside, watching the men cross the street and talking excitedly. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Buffy said angrily, turning around and disappearing into the back kitchen.

Willow and Anya shared a look.

“Oops.”
It's Only Fair by Allison
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who read and reviewed chapter 1- I'm happy people enjoy it so far!:)
The men entered Chantarelle’s again and were surprised to see the woman the restaurant was named after sitting at the bar and talking to Charles Gunn, the main bartender. Spike walked over to his fiancé and sat beside her, kissing her cheek.

“Hi,” Lily Chantarelle said, smiling widely at him. “I heard you went to Joyce’s Pastry Shop.” He nodded and raised an eyebrow when she frowned at him. “Did anyone know who you are?”

“Nope,” he said. “We walked in, tried some stuff, and walked out.”

“You know that’s not fair,” she replied. “Spying on the owner and what she makes.”

“What’s the harm in sampling some of her products?” he asked, giving Gunn a grateful smile as he handed him a tall glass of beer. “I don’t think it was wrong at all.” He took a swig of his beer and put it down on the bar. “Besides, for all I know, she’s come in here before and ate some of our stuff, judging if the desserts here are competition for her.”

“Just don’t get in trouble, alright?” she asked, running her hand over his back. “I don’t want to see my gorgeous fiancé get into any mischief.”

“I’ll be a good boy,” he said, smirking. She laughed and stood up, patting his shoulder. “You’re leaving?”

“I’ve got a couple of errands to run before the shops in town close,” she answered, digging through her purse for her car keys. “I’ll see you tomorrow, right?”

“You’re not staying at the apartment tonight?” he asked, pouting, and she shook her head, leaning down to kiss him. “Why not?”

“Have an early morning, and you won’t get home until two or three,” she said, shrugging. “I’ll be asleep when you come in, and you’ll be dead to the world when I need to leave. It doesn’t make too much sense for me to stay in your apartment alone for a while.”

“Fine,” he said sadly, and she ran her hand through his tousled locks before walking away and leaving the restaurant.

“Why do you look so glum, boss?” Gunn asked, studying the blonde man’s expression.

“Is it wrong for me to wonder if my fiancé is being faithful?” Spike asked, and Gunn tilted his head. “What? I’m the only serious boyfriend she’s ever had, so it wouldn’t surprise me if she wanted to-”

“Lily loves you,” Gunn cut in, pouring a couple of drinks in the meantime. “She’s a sweet woman with a big heart, and you’re the only man she cares about, Spike. I would bet my truck that she’s not cheating on you.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Spike replied, finishing his beer. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” Gunn said, watching as Spike stood up and walked to his office, letting himself inside before shutting the door.

‘Lily better not sleep with anyone besides him,’ Gunn thought. ‘And me.’

* * * * *

“Buffy?” Willow asked quietly as she stepped into her boss’ office. “Are you alright?”

“I wish I had known he was here,” Buffy said, staring blankly at her computer screen. “I would’ve told him to leave.”

“He doesn’t look like the guy in that picture,” Willow said, pointing to a newspaper clipping that Buffy had framed on her wall, showing and discussing a few chefs involved in the upcoming competition. “He looks a lot better in person.” Buffy raised an eyebrow at her friend, surprised when she saw her blush. “What? You know I love Oz, but you’ve got to admit that Spike’s not too bad on the eyes.”

“Yuck,” Buffy replied, turning off the computer’s monitor and standing up. “So, what are your plans tonight?”

“Oz wants to take me out to dinner,” Willow said, shrugging. “What about you?”

“I don’t really know,” Buffy answered, grabbing her purse. “Did Anya go home?”

“Yeah,” Willow said, following her boss to the front door. “Do you maybe want to go out to dinner with us?”

“I wouldn’t want to impose,” Buffy said, managing a weak smile. “Being a third wheel isn’t fun- it makes things very imbalanced.”

“You’re practically family,” Willow said, nudging the blonde’s arm. “Please? We can even go somewhere fancy.” Buffy paused and her eyes widened before locking with her friend’s. “What?”

“How about Chantarelle’s?” Buffy asked, and Willow frowned, tilting her head.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Buffy,” she said, but her friend merely shrugged and grinned.

“It’s only fair.”

* * * * *

“Wow, this place is posh,” Buffy said as she entered Chantarelle’s with Willow and Oz a while later.

“It’s beautiful,” Willow agreed before they went to the host’s stand and were seated. They sat at a booth in a back corner and opened their menus, their jaws slowly dropping. “Twenty dollars for fettuccini alfredo? Noodles aren’t that expensive!”

“Settle down,” Oz said, patting his girlfriend’s thigh underneath the table. “I’m paying tonight.”

“It’s still a travesty,” Willow replied, shaking her head. “And look at the prices of seafood!”

“Looks like a soup and salad for me,” Buffy said, staring at the menu. “And my dinner will still be expensive.”

“Since when is money a problem?” Willow asked curiously. “I thought you were making money hand-over-fist.”

“I am, but I’m still careful with how much money I spend,” Buffy said, sighing.

“I love my frugal friend,” Willow replied, giggling as Buffy shot her a look.

“Hello, my name is Fred, and I’ll be your waitress tonight,” a brunette woman said as she stopped to stand beside the table. “Can I interest you in any wine or other beverages first?”

“Water,” both Buffy and Willow answered, which earned them an odd look from the waitress.

“I’ll have some Merlot,” Oz said, and Fred nodded before walking away.

“See anyone we know in here?” Willow asked, looking around.

“Not yet,” Buffy said, scanning the tables. “And I haven’t seen any of the guys from before, either.”

“The brunette man from this afternoon just walked into the kitchen,” Willow said, and Buffy turned to look at the kitchen doors, pausing as she saw Spike exit them.

Spike felt as if someone was watching him and looked around, locking eyes with a blonde woman sitting at a booth with a man and a familiar woman.

‘Oh yes, Red from the pastry shop,’ he thought, raising an eyebrow. ‘I wonder who the other woman is.’

To be polite, he walked over to the table, which made Buffy stiffen up, worried that all hell was about to break loose.

“Hello, Willow,” Spike said as he neared the table, sending a warm smile in her direction. “It’s nice to see you again.”

“Hi,” she replied anxiously, wondering if he recognized the woman sitting beside her.

“And who has the privilege of joining you tonight?” Spike asked, his gaze traveling over to Buffy, who was studying him.

“This is Oz, my boyfriend,” Willow said, motioning to the man who gave Spike a small wave.

“And who might you be, luv?” Spike asked, his eyes never breaking away to look at Oz, staying focused on Buffy.

“You don’t know who I am?” she asked, and he shook his head, confused. “Well, I must say I’m surprised, Mr. Brooks. You should be very aware of your enemies.” He raised an eyebrow, still perplexed. “My name is Buffy. Buffy Summers.” She extended a hand to him, grinning, and he stared at it, stunned.

“Oh.”
Disrupting a Good Night by Allison
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who read and reviewed chapter 2- I'm happy people liked it! I noticed there was a bit of a drop-off in reviews, so was it not good? If I get enough inspiration, I'll post chapter 4 sometime this weekend. Leave a review, and I suddenly might be very inspired:) Have a good weekend!
“So, what brings you here?” Spike asked as he shook Buffy’s hand, delighting in the fact that her hand fit perfectly in his before mentally reprimanding himself.

‘What’re you thinking, mate?’ he asked himself. ‘She’s definitely the enemy, and you’re happily engaged.’ He paused, frowning at the thought. ‘Well, at least you think you are.’

“You came to my shop to sample stuff, so I thought I’d try what you’ve got, too,” she said neutrally. “I think that’s fair, don’t you?”

“Of course,” he said after hesitating for a long moment. “I’ll see to it that everything meets your level of expectation.”

“You don’t need to impress me,” she replied, and he raised an eyebrow.

“If anyone needs to impress someone, it’s you,” he said, noticing how quickly her jaw dropped. “You’re new to this business, so let me give you a few pointers.”

“I don’t think I want to hear anything you have to tell me,” she said sharply. “I came here to eat, and that’s all I want to do.”

“Fine,” Spike said, holding back a smirk at her irritation. “What will it be?”

“I think I’d rather talk to Fred than you,” she said, seeing the brunette waitress heading in their direction. “It was nice to finally meet you, Spike, and I’ll be seeing you very soon.”

“Yes, you will,” he said, smiling. “When I kick your ass at the competition.”

“Whatever you say,” she replied firmly. “But all of that cockiness just proves how insecure you really are about your talents. If you’re that good, you wouldn’t be worried about little old me.” He leaned over the table, his face only inches from hers.

“I’m very good at what I do,” he said in a low tone, which sent a shiver down her spine. “But it’s too bad you’ll never experience what I have to offer.”

“Good,” she managed to get out, and he stood up straight once again, turning his attention to Willow and Oz.

“Enjoy your meals,” he said in a calm tone. “And if you ever return, don’t bring blondie here back.” He turned and walked away, never seeing the outraged look on Buffy’s face.

“Well, he seems like an interesting guy,” Oz said, and Buffy stared at him. “What?”

“I don’t need this,” she answered, standing up. “Have a nice night, you two.” She stormed off and left the restaurant, not noticing that Spike’s eyes followed her until she was out of sight.

* * * * *

“You know, guys really suck,” Buffy said as she scooped a spoonful of ice cream out of its tub and ate it. “Don’t ever fall in love- it’s not worth it.”

“Why are you so mopey?” her sister Dawn asked. “Bad day at work?”

“Satan entered my life,” Buffy mumbled, eating another scoop of ice cream. “In the form of Spike Brooks.”

“You saw him?” Dawn asked, and Buffy nodded, scowling. “What happened?”

“He came to Joyce’s today and asked for samples, which Anya and Willow gave him, not knowing who he was,” she began to explain, stabbing at the ice cream still in the carton. “So I went to Chantarelle’s tonight, thinking it would be fair to see what his restaurant is like, and he… came to the table Willow, Oz, and I were at.”

“So you talked to him?” Dawn asked, and Buffy nodded again. “How’d that go?”

“Ridiculously bad,” she answered. “He’s a jerk, Dawnie, and I can’t wait to win and prove to him that I’m better than everyone thinks I am.”

“He’s just worried that he’ll lose to a woman,” Dawn said, sighing. “Don’t get upset over it. It’s a Friday night- go out and enjoy yourself.”

“I’m fine,” Buffy said, noticing that there was very little ice cream left. “Damn it.”

“Come on, let’s go,” Dawn said, grabbing her sister’s arm and pulling her up to stand. “Let’s have a night on the town, just you and I. It’ll be like sister bonding time.”

“Can we get more ice cream?” Buffy asked with a twinge of hopefulness in her tone.

“Whatever you want,” Dawn said, ushering her sister to the apartment’s door. “But just remember- it’ll go straight to your hips.”

“Bite me,” Buffy muttered, shaking her head when her sister giggled beside her.

* * * * *

“Stupid bloody bint,” Spike said as he locked up the restaurant later that night, Xander standing next to him. “She should learn to have a little respect for me.”

“Can you blame her?” Xander asked, and Spike looked at him, confused. “You infiltrated her pastry shop to find out stuff about her.”

“‘Infiltrated’? It wasn’t Mission Impossible!” Spike said loudly, angry. “Where does she get off coming in tonight to eat?”

“Where do you get off going to her store this afternoon?” Xander asked, not understanding why his friend was so upset.

“It’s just not right!” Spike shouted, taking a deep breath to calm down. “She’s a pain my ass already, and the competition hasn’t even started.”

“Well, competition is a healthy thing,” Xander said, walking with Spike to their cars. “And it doesn’t help she’s beautiful.” Spike looked at him, surprised. “I saw that Willow girl come in and put two and two together.”

“She’s not beautiful,” Spike said, and Xander stopped walking, crossing his arms with a knowing smirk on his face. “Fine, she’s absolutely magnificent.”

“Watch what you say, buddy,” Xander said, patting Spike’s shoulder. “You’ve got a pretty hot fiancé waiting for you.”

“She’s not at my apartment,” Spike replied, looking down. “She said she wanted to stay home tonight.”

“Why do you seem so sad about that?” Xander asked. “I would’ve thought you’d enjoy having a night away from the soon-to-be ball and chain.”

“I think something’s going on with her,” Spike said quietly. “She’s been acting really weird lately, and every time I mention the wedding, she gets this look on her face that doesn’t make me too happy.”

“I wouldn’t worry,” Xander said, shrugging. “She’s probably just nervous.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Spike said, sighing and unlocking his car, which was parked beside Xander’s. “Have a good night.”

“You too, man,” Xander replied, getting in his car and watching as Spike sped off into the night, knowing damn well that Lily wasn’t nervous, like he had told Spike.

‘She’s lying to him,’ Xander thought, starting his car. ‘And as soon as I have good evidence, I’m throwing the book at her.’
The Calm Before the Storm by Allison
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone who read and reviewed chapter 3- you all are so sweet and have definitely inspired me to keep writing this fic:) I hope you enjoy this chapter, and the competition starts in the next one!
A few days passed, and as the competition loomed over her, Buffy began to freak out, very stressed and worried about losing to Spike.

“The battle’s tomorrow,” Buffy said, looking around the kitchen of Joyce’s Pastry Shop. “And I don’t think my weapons are good enough.”

“You’ll do awesome,” Willow said, leaning against a counter. “We’ve been working our butts off until sunset every night, and you perfected your peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies.”

“Yeah, those were good,” Anya said, staring at one that was sitting in a display case. “Very, very good.”

“Go ahead and eat it,” Buffy said, smiling a little, and Anya grinned, grabbing it and biting into it with an excited look on her face. “Dork.”

“It’s a perk of working at a place like this,” Anya said, shrugging. “I can’t wait until this whole mess is over.”

“Right there with you, scooter,” Willow agreed, pulling her hair into a ponytail. “I could use a week off.”

“Me too,” Buffy said, double-checking that everything in the refrigerators looked alright. “Thank you both so much for helping me. I don’t know what I’d do without you two.”

“Lose?” Anya offered, and Buffy smiled, shrugging. “Who else wants to go out for a drink?”

“I’d love to,” Buffy said, and Willow nodded. “Let’s go, then.” They closed up the shop and walked down the street, going inside The Little Green Tavern, a bar owned by a family friend of Buffy’s named Rupert Giles.

After sitting down at a table and ordering drinks, they began talking amongst themselves when Buffy noticed Willow frown, looking across the room and focusing on something. Buffy followed her gaze and scowled when she saw Spike and one of his friends playing pool.

“Why does he have to be here?” she asked, narrowing her eyes at him. “Shouldn’t he be at his restaurant or something?”

“Maybe he needs to unwind, too,” Anya suggested, looking at his friend. “His name was Xander, right?” Willow nodded, drinking some of her soda. “He’s pretty good-looking.”

“Don’t you dare like a guy who’s friends with a man like Spike,” Buffy chided. “That won’t lead to anything good.”

“He seemed pretty nice,” Anya replied, shrugging. “He was polite and has a charming smile.”

“Those are the ones you have to watch out for,” Willow said. “They might be overcompensating for something.”

“So what if he is? He could be a Viking in the sack,” Anya said, giggling, and Buffy shook her head, sighing.

“Do you ever think before you talk?” she asked, smiling when Anya shot her a pointed look. “You’re just very honest about what you say.”

“Well, they say honesty is the best policy,” Anya said, standing up. “I think I’m going to have a word with him.”

“Conversing with the enemy? Are you insane?” Buffy hissed. “If you go over there, I’m not paying you for a month.”

“Money or sex- which sounds better?” Anya asked with a pensive expression on her face. “I think I’ve got enough in my savings for a month, so I’m voting sex.” She walked away while Buffy’s jaw dropped in anger.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” she said in a low tone. “I’m going to kill her when the competition is over.”

“It’s not like she’s going to tell them any of your secret recipes or anything,” Willow said, finishing her drink. “I really wouldn’t worry.”

“Doesn’t matter,” Buffy said, looking into her glass. “It’s the principle of the matter.”

“Let’s just have a good night, okay?” Willow asked, and Buffy nodded before looking at Anya, now talking and laughing with Xander as Spike took a shot, making it, before looking at Buffy.

‘Why’s he looking at me?’ she asked herself, confused. ‘I don’t like the way his eyes are traveling up and down my body- it’s creepy.’ He smiled at her before taking another shot. She quickly ducked her head before finishing her soda and standing up.

“Time for a refill,” she said. “Want one, too?” Willow shook her head and raised an eyebrow when she noticed a slight blush in her friend’s cheeks. “Be right back.”

Buffy headed over to the bar and sat down on a stool, placing her order and waiting for it. When she saw someone sit beside her out of the corner of her eye, she turned her head and frowned, realizing who it was.

“Hello, luv.”

* * * * *

“What are you doing?” she asked in an even tone, raising an eyebrow when Spike grinned at her.

“Trying to have a polite conversation with you,” he answered, ordering himself another beer. “It’s what people do in civilized cultures.”

“You don’t seem all that civilized to me,” she said, tapping her fingers on the bar as she impatiently waited for her order.

“What’s got you so huffy… Buffy?” he asked, chuckling. “That rhymed!”

“Congratulations for passing first grade,” she said, tilting her head as she looked at him. “Go away, Spike.”

“And miss the opportunity to talk to my favorite competitor?” he asked, smirking. “I don’t think so.”

“You’ll see me tomorrow when I kick your ass and win,” she said, smiling gratefully at the bartender when he put her glass of beer down in front of her. “Thanks.”

“You don’t strike me as a beer girl,” he said, surprised. “I would’ve thought you’d order a fruity concoction or something. You know, a girly drink.”

“I felt like something different,” she replied, standing up. “Besides, don’t want to drink too much tonight and end up with a hangover tomorrow.”

“Yeah, that wouldn’t be too good,” he said before shrugging. “Well, it wouldn’t be good for you, but it would increase my chances of sending you to second place.”

“In your dreams, Billy,” she said, turning around and walking away, returning to the table Willow was sitting at.

“Did I just see you talking to Spike?” the redhead asked, and Buffy nodded, looking down. “How’d that go?”

“How do you think it went?” Buffy asked sternly before drinking some of her beer. “I can’t wait to knock him down a notch or two.”
Still in the Game by Allison
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all of the reviews after chapter 4! I'm happy people are still enjoying this, and I promise there will be Spuffyness and fluff down the road- we just need to muddle through the angst. If I get enough calls for it, I'll start posting daily instead of every other day, but that's only if people want it:)
The following morning, Buffy checked in at the competition and followed the directions she was given before walking to the work station she was assigned. Anya and Willow showed up minutes later and began helping Buffy prepare things before it was time to start cooking.

“Spike and his friends just showed up,” Willow said, putting on an apron. “He seems to be ready for action, so to speak.” Buffy raised an eyebrow at her friend.

“Xander’s definitely good when it comes to action,” Anya chipped in, grinning dreamily. “You should see him in bed… He’s like a stallion.”

“Yuck!” Buffy said, wrinkling her nose in disgust. “Now I’m going to have that mental image burned in my brain for a while.”

“Me, too,” Anya replied, smiling proudly. “What did you expect? I came, I saw, and I… came a whole bunch of times after that.”

“Feel free to leave any time,” Buffy said, shooting a pointed look at her. “Now, can we focus on the mission at hand?”

“The mission is what matters,” Willow replied, sighing. “We’ve heard this speech a couple of times now, Buffy.”

“I just want to make sure everything is okay and set to go,” she said, taking a deep breath. “I can’t lose, girls. There’s a lot more riding on this whole thing than you think.”

“Your pride?” Anya asked, and Buffy nodded, looking away. “Well, if it’ll help, maybe I can make some obscene and sexual gestures in Xander’s direction to throw him off of his game.”

“Whatever helps,” Buffy said, managing a weak smile.

* * * * *

“My head bloody hurts,” Spike said in a low tone as he walked to his work station with Andrew and Xander in tow. “I shouldn’t have had so much to drink last night.”

“If you wouldn’t have taken Buffy’s comments to you so personally, then maybe you wouldn’t have felt compelled to drink half of the liquor in the bar,” Xander replied.

“If you hadn’t left me to go shag Anya, one of our enemies by association, I wouldn’t have kept drinking!” Spike shot back. “You know I drink a lot when I’m alone.”

“Guys, can we start getting ready?” Andrew asked, looking between his two friends. “We only have twenty minutes before this kicks off.”

“Fine,” Spike said, taking a deep breath and beginning to look at the supplies they were given. “So, the plan is still to make a key lime cheesecake?”

“And go to town with the decorations,” Xander agreed, nodding. “Andy and I’ve got that covered. Just make the cheesecake as quickly as possible.”

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Andrew asked. “I mean, Buffy will be making a cheesecake, too, don’t you think?”

“That’s the point,” Spike replied. “If we both make cheesecakes and I win, then the whole town will know I’m better than her at making them, something she considers to be her specialty.”

“And what if hers is better and we lose?” Andrew asked, crossing his arms.

“Then we hang our heads in shame, leave the building, and get properly snockered,” Spike answered, looking across the room and focusing on Buffy, who was talking to Willow and Anya. “But that’s not going to happen, right?”

“Right,” Xander and Andrew said in unison, even though they were beginning to have doubts.

* * * * *

“Alright, the cheesecake is in the oven and all set,” Buffy said triumphantly, setting a timer. “That’s the quickest I’ve ever whipped one up before.”

“And hopefully it’ll taste like you didn’t rush to get it done,” Anya replied, ignoring the glare Buffy shot at her. “Willow and I have the strawberry filling all set, so once the cheesecake cools, we can put it on top and you can cover it with creamy strawberry frosting.”

“Is the sugar set for me to work with yet?” Buffy asked, looking at a pot on the stove.

“It needs to warm up a bit more, and then you should be able to spin it into twirls,” Willow said. “I can put them on top of the cheesecake once you finish with it.”

“We’ve got more than enough time,” Buffy said, trying to settle her nerves. “We still have about two and a half hours left, don’t we?”

“Want us to make something else?” Willow asked. “An extra perk or something?”

“How about some strawberry-filled cookies?” Buffy asked, and Willow smiled.

“Sure,” she answered. “We can give them to the judges as parting gifts.”

“Great idea,” Buffy said, smiling gratefully when Willow began to gather supplies to make cookie dough. “We might have this in the bag after all.”

“Especially since I think Spike just ruined something he made,” Anya said, causing both Willow and Buffy to look over at Spike, who was throwing his arms up and looking angry.

“I wonder what that’s all about,” Willow said, raising an eyebrow.

“Who cares?” Buffy asked, grinning. “One man’s loss is another man’s… well, a woman’s gain.”

* * * * *

“Damn it!” Spike said loudly, staring at the bowl of cheesecake batter in front of him. “There’s too much sugar in this!”

“It’s alright, man,” Xander said, taking the bowl and disposing of its contents before washing it out quickly. “We can start over.”

“And be set back half an hour?” Spike asked, upset. “Maybe we should do something else.”

“Like what?” Andrew asked. “We’ve been talking about cheesecakes for days and you want to do something else?”

“What other choice do we have?” Spike asked, trying to lower his voice so other competitors wouldn’t hear him. “We can make a simple chocolate cake and decorate it absurdly well so it looks twenty times better than it is. We’ve done it before and we can do it again.”

“It’s risky,” Xander said, sighing. “But I have faith in us to succeed.”

“And Buffy will feel even more inadequate when we kick her ass with a chocolate cake,” Spike replied, beginning to look around at what supplies he had left. “Are you guys with me on this?”

“We’re with you until the end,” Andrew said. “Even if we lose to Buffy.”

“Will you be positive?” Xander asked, nudging Andrew’s arm. “We’re going to win, Andy, and you know it.” Despite the fact he was beginning to believe they’d lose, Andrew nodded and began to help Spike get ready to make a chocolate cake.

Xander looked across the room at Anya and smirked when her eyes settled on his. She blew him a quick kiss before helping Willow put cookie dough onto a cookie sheet. He took a deep breath and turned around to help Spike before realizing what the girls were doing.

“Umm, guys?” he asked quietly. “I don’t think Buffy’s making a cheesecake.”

“What makes you think that?” Spike asked, confused.

“Anya and Willow are making cookies,” Xander answered. “Maybe Buffy’s going to do something creative with cookies instead.”

“Then she’s definitely going to lose,” Spike said, grinning. “Guess my favorite amateur doesn’t realize how ridiculous a cookie creation is.”

“We can make something simpler then, can’t we?” Andrew asked. “If our biggest competitor is just making cookies?”

“Guess so,” Spike agreed, shrugging. “Looks like we’re still in the game.”
Sharing the Wealth by Allison
Author's Notes:
Wow- thank you to everyone who read and reviewed chapter 5! I hope you enjoy this chapter, and I'll be posting chapter 7 very soon! Buffy and Spike begin to be on much better terms in the following chapters (groundwork for that is in this chapter), and I promise there is Spuffyness soon;)
As the minutes flew by and they suddenly had five minutes left to go before the competition ended, both Spike and Buffy put the finishing touches on their creations and hoped to God that they’d beat each other. Willow and Anya quickly made sure all of the cookies were ready and put a generous amount of pink sprinkles on them so they’d match the cheesecake even more.

“How is it going over there?” Willow asked as Buffy put the spun-sugar twirls on top of the cheesecake, arranging them around the top of it into a circular pattern. “Wow, that almost looks hypnotizing.”

“Exactly the effect I was going for,” Buffy answered, finishing up and looking at the cheesecake. “This is possibly the best thing I’ve ever made. Far better than the mini wedding cake I had to make for my final exam in culinary school.”

“I wish I could see what Spike’s crew is making,” Anya said, staring over at the men. “But Andrew’s been blocking it for the last half an hour.”

“I’m not worried,” Buffy said, shrugging. “I’m proud of this, and if it doesn’t win, then oh well.”

“You’d better not be willing to accept defeat, missy!” Anya replied shrilly. “Willow and I worked our asses off, too- we had better win.”

“Don’t you want your stallion to be victorious?” Willow asked, smirking.

“Well, sure, but I’d rather have him be depressed and in need of a good ride or two after this,” Anya said, putting the cookies on a tray and missing the disgusted looks on her friends’ faces.

“Alright, it’s almost time,” Buffy said, taking a deep breath. “Ready for this?”

“Definitely,” Willow said, trying not to sound as nervous as she felt.

* * * * *

“The judges are about to come around,” Xander said quietly as Spike finished putting red-frosting rosettes all over the perimeter of the two-tiered chocolate cake he had made. “That looks good, man.”

“I’m just happy we decided to put a layer of cherries in each tier,” Spike said, smiling. “That’ll make this even more delicious.”

“And the gold-leaf draperies Andrew put on the sides make it look even better,” Xander said, studying it. “It reminds me of something from Gone with the Wind for some reason, but I like it.”

“What?” Spike asked, confused. “Does it look Southern or something?”

“I guess,” Xander said, shrugging. “Either way, it should beat Buffy.”

“Yeah, I damn well hope so,” Spike said, looking across the room at Buffy’s work station, watching as the women crowded around something. “Have either of you seen what she came up with yet?”

“No,” Andrew said, sighing. “I turned around before to look, but Buffy was blocking something.”

“I wonder what it was,” Spike said, raising an eyebrow. “But there’s no way it looks better than this.”

“No, I think this one takes the cake,” Xander said, laughing at his own joke. “Get it? Cake?”

“You’re too lame for your own good sometimes,” Spike mumbled, watching as a group of judges went to the first station, beginning to talk to one of his competitors. “Are you both set for this?”

It was as he asked the question that Xander watched Buffy and Anya move away from what they were hiding from view, practically unveiling the cheesecake to his eyes.

“Umm, guys?” he asked quietly, his eyes widening. “It is just me, or is that a cheesecake?” Spike looked over at the women and felt his jaw slowly drop.

“But… what happened to the cookies?” he asked, confused. “I thought… What’s going on?”

“Looks like she made both,” Andrew said, noticing the tray of cookies Willow picked up. “They might get extra points for making two things.”

“That tricky bitch,” Spike said in a low tone, clenching his jaw. “Why didn’t we make two things?”

“Because we had our hands full enough after you screwed up the cheesecake mix,” Xander answered.

“Shut up,” Spike managed to get out, leaning on the counter in front of him and looking at the cake only inches away from his hands. “Just because she made two desserts doesn’t mean she’ll win. The taste of this cake alone will beat her cheesecake.”

“Not to mention the amazing amount of presentation points we should earn,” Andrew chipped in, hoping to calm Spike down. “I wouldn’t worry.”

“Oh, I’m not,” Spike said, raising his eyes to look over at Buffy again. “She’s not going to win.”

* * * * *

“Oh my god,” one of the judges cooed as she finished sampling the piece of cheesecake she was handed. “I think this is the best thing I’ve ever had in my mouth.”

“I’m so glad you like it,” Buffy replied, grinning. “Have you tried the sugar twirl yet?”

“Is there a hint of strawberry in them?” another judge asked. “Because it was marvelous. Usually I don’t like eating pure sugar, but that was a treat.”

“Would you like a cookie, too?” Anya asked cheerfully, holding up the platter of them. Each judge happily grabbed one and tried them at the same time.

“Dear Lord,” the first judge said, swallowing what she had bitten off. “I must say, Miss Summers, you have definitely proven to us that new pastry chefs have something to teach your predecessors.”

“Thank you,” Buffy said, beaming. “If you’d like to take more cookies with you, please do.” The judges each grabbed a handful and smiled at her before moving on to the next station.

“Did you put drugs in your cookies?” Spike asked, suddenly appearing by them.

“What’re you doing here?” Buffy asked, raising an eyebrow. “Isn’t it against the rules for you to come over here?”

“Not once pictures have been taken of everyone’s work,” he answered, looking at the tray of cookies that Anya was still holding. “Can I grab three of those?”

“Why would I give you a cookie?” Buffy asked, crossing her arms.

“Haven’t you ever heard of sharing, luv?” he asked, and she narrowed her eyes at him. “What? I’d think you would want to show me what you’ve got.”

“Fine,” she replied, motioning for him to take a cookie. “Enjoy.” He took three of them and bit into one, biting back the urge to groan at how good it tasted. “And if you happen to choke on it, I won’t be held accountable for it.”

“Whatever you say,” he murmured, looking at the cookie. “This is just a simple strawberry filling, isn’t it?” She nodded. “Well, I must say, Summers, I’m impressed.” She quirked an eyebrow, tilting her head. “You whipped up something incredibly easy and made it taste like a masterpiece.” He turned on his heel before she realized he was complimenting her.

“Wow,” Willow said quietly. “Did I hear defeat in his voice?”

“Yeah, I think you did,” Anya agreed. “That and a bit of envy.”

“What? No,” Buffy said, shaking her head to clear it of the haze that was forming in her brain. Her friends looked at her and were surprised when she turned around and walked away, going in the same direction as Spike.

* * * * *

When Buffy arrived at Spike’s station, she looked at the chocolate cake in amusement.

“Wow,” she said, smiling. “That looks pretty good, guys.”

“Thanks,” Xander said, surprised that she was suddenly standing next to him. “Spike said yours looked good, too. And thanks for the cookie- it was incredible.”

“Well, if you ever want more, they’re at the shop daily,” she replied. “So, what’s inside of the cake? Is that cherry filling?”

“Yes,” Andrew said, confused when Spike leaned back against a counter and looked down, keeping his gaze averted from Buffy’s. “I think they’re about to announce the winners.”

Willow and Anya walked over to the group as one of the judges went up to a microphone and shuffled some papers.

“This is so exciting!” Willow said, slightly bouncing.

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed, clasping her hands in front of her and wringing them anxiously. “Good luck, Spike.”

“Thanks,” he muttered, not looking at her. Before she could ask him if he was okay, one of the judges cleared her throat and looked around the room.

“First, thank you to everyone who volunteered and participated in this event today,” she said, smiling. “But the time has come to announce this year’s winner of the Best Dessert in Sunnydale Competition.” Everyone in the room quieted down, and Willow grabbed one of Buffy’s hands in hers, squeezing it. “First place goes to… Buffy Summers!”

Buffy’s jaw dropped and tears sprang to her eyes as both Willow and Anya hugged her, trapping her in between them.

“Oh…my…god,” she said slowly, still in shock.

Spike watched her for a long moment before taking a deep breath and storming out of the building.
When a Kingdom Crumbles by Allison
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone who read and reviewed the last chapter! I hope you stick with me to see what happens now that the competition is over and how Spike and Buffy will begin to grow closer;) Enjoy!
Spike went to The Little Green Tavern and sat down on a stool, ordering a beer as soon as the bartender looked in his direction. He buried his face in his hands and took several deep breaths, trying to ignore the anger that was coursing through him.

‘I lost,’ he said to himself. ‘I lost to Buffy.’ His beer appeared in front of him, and he grabbed the glass, practically gulping down the liquid. ‘Not that I deserved to win - her cheesecake looked wonderful and those cookies were to die for- but I’m supposed to be the best chef in town. Me. Not her, a bloody newbie.’

“Thought I’d find you here,” Xander said, appearing beside Spike and sitting down. “We got second place, you know.”

“Sorry I wasn’t there to find out,” Spike muttered, finishing the beer quickly. “Want one? On me.”

“It’s too early in the day to drink,” his friend replied. “Well, for me, at least. Time has no meaning for you when it comes to alcohol.” Spike glared at him. “You never used to be like this, man. Over the last few days, you’ve been drinking as if your life depended on it.” Xander sighed and looked down. “Is this because of Buffy?”

“Why would it be?” Spike asked, raising an eyebrow. “Because she beat me?” Xander nodded. “No, that’s not the reason at all.” Xander studied him, tilting his head. “Fine, that’s part of it.”

“But that only explains why you’re planning on embarking on a drinking binge right now,” the brunette man said. “And last night was about Buffy, too, wasn’t it?” Spike looked away, clenching his jaw. “Guess the girl really does drive you insane.”

“What’s your point, Harris?” Spike asked, looking at his friend once again.

“Maybe you’ve got some underlying feelings for her,” Xander suggested, and Spike scoffed before signaling to the bartender that he needed a refill. “I’m not blind, Spike. There’s been more fire in you since you met her, a fire you’ve never had with Lily.”

“Not following you around that bend, mate,” Spike said, smiling graciously at the bartender when he handed him a new glass of beer.

“Do you truly love Lily?” Xander asked. “With every fiber of your being?” Spike looked at him, confused. “Does the idea of not having her around in the future choke you? Can you really picture yourself marrying her?”

“I’d tread very lightly, whelp,” Spike replied in a low tone. “You’re talking about my fiancé.”

“Yeah, and I damn well have the right to, being best man and all,” Xander said, crossing his arms. “Spike, you’ve been suspicious of Lily for a while now.” Spike gripped the glass in his hand so tightly that he thought it might shatter. “What if I told you I’ve been suspecting things, too?”

“Don’t you dare,” Spike said sternly, standing up. “Don’t sit there and try to convince me to leave Lily and have a go with Buffy.”

“Who said I was going to?” Xander asked, smirking slightly. “The Lily thing, yes, but I wasn’t going to mention Buffy. You did that all on your own, buddy.” Spike slapped money down on the bar and scowled at Xander before storming out of the bar.

Xander smiled to himself and grabbed Spike’s glass, drinking from it.

‘Looks like I might not be best man for a while,’ he thought.

* * * * *

When Spike arrived at his apartment, he was stunned to see Lily sitting on his couch, waiting for him. He put down his keys and raised an eyebrow, tensing up as she approached him and took his hands in hers.

“I thought we weren’t meeting up until later,” he said quietly.

“I think we need to talk,” she replied, looking into his eyes. “I can’t marry you.” Spike felt a wave of nausea go through him before he pulled his hands away from hers, taking a step back.

“Why not?” he asked in a choked voice, doing everything in his power to not tear up.

“I’m in love with someone else,” she said, looking away.

“Is it someone I know?” he asked, surprised when she nodded. “Who?”

“Charles Gunn,” she said, her eyes returning to lock with his.

“My bartender?” he asked loudly. “Since when?”

“Come on, Spike- wasn’t it obvious?” she asked. “You saw him and I at the bar just last week.” He remembered it after a moment and closed his eyes, clenching his fists. “I’m sorry, Spike, but it just wasn’t working for us.”

“How can you say that?” he asked, upset. “Things were going great for us.”

“No, they weren’t,” she said calmly. “You’ve been spending way too much time at the restaurant over the last couple of months- we hardly see each other.”

“Do you want to see the restaurant run itself into the ground?” Spike asked sharply. “It was your father’s place long before it was ever mine.”

“And I’m sure Dad loves to see how much it’s flourished since you took ownership of it,” Lily began, sighing. “But I’m not going to stay with you just for Chantarelle’s.”

“I can’t believe you’re doing this to me,” Spike said, looking away in an attempt to reign in his anger. “On today of all days.”

“I’m sorry,” Lily said, walking to the door. “Oh yeah.” She handed him the key he had given her to his apartment. “Maybe you can give it to someone you’ll be willing to take time off of work for.” He watched her go before throwing the key across the apartment and covering his face in his hands, stopping himself from screaming.

“Son of a bitch!” he shouted angrily, grabbing his keys and leaving the apartment.

* * * * *

Buffy walked into The Little Green Tavern that night and was greeted by Rupert Giles, who congratulated her on winning the competition. While she was thanking him and going into detail about how the day had went for her, she noticed a man at the bar who was ordering a beer from the bartender. She sighed as she realized who it was.

“If you’ll excuse me, Giles, I see a sore loser at the bar,” she said, giving him a sheepish smile before walking over to the man and sitting beside him. “Hello, Spike.”

“Well, if it isn’t Miss High and Mighty,” he snarled. “Need someone to knock you off your throne?” She could smell the alcohol radiating off of him and grabbed his arm.

“Come on, blondie- let’s get you home,” she said, pulling him up to stand as Spike put money down on the bar to pay off his tab.

“Not bloody likely,” he replied, trying to pull away from her but not succeeding. “Let me go!”

“It’s time to sober you up,” she said, leading him towards the door and out into the night air. “Keys, please.”

“Why? So you can drive me insane?” he asked, glaring at her. “Already done that, Goldilocks.”

“I’m taking you home,” she said, pleased when he gave her his set of keys. “We’ll leave your car here for the night- you can get it tomorrow if your hangover doesn’t keep you incapacitated all day.”

“Whatever you say, princess,” he mumbled, following her towards her car. “Why are you helping me?”

“It’s the least I can do,” she said, sighing. “After a long day like today.”

“You don’t even know the half of it,” he replied, becoming angry as he thought about Lily.

“No, I suppose I don’t,” she said, looking at him. “But I’ll listen if you need to rant.”

“Yeah?” he asked, surprised when she gave him a sincere smile.

“Yeah.”
Until Further Notice by Allison
Author's Notes:
The responses to this fic have been awesome so far, so as long as people still want more chapters, you'll be getting them on a daily basis as a perk;) There will be a twist thrown into the next chapter, so hopefully you'll stick with me to see what it is. Thank you for all of the reviews, everyone!
Chapter 8- Until Further Notice

Buffy found herself sitting on Spike’s couch half an hour later, watching him take a couple of aspirins before drinking a whole glass of water.

“Thanks,” he said quietly, sitting on a chair across from her and resting his head against the back of it. “Today has been the worst day of my entire life.”

“For some reason, I don’t think losing to me is the reason you got plastered,” she replied, studying him. “And if it is, you’re being a bit overdramatic.”

“My fiancé left me,” he said, ignoring what she had said. “For a bartender at my restaurant.” He watched as her face fell, looking apologetic.

“I’m so sorry,” she said. “I can’t imagine how heartbreaking that must be.”

“Now you know why I was trying to drown myself in beer,” he replied, looking up at the ceiling. “She was the world to me.” He paused. “For a while, at least.”

“How did you meet her?” she asked curiously, surprised when he smiled.

“I had applied to work as head chef at Chantarelle’s, which originally was her father’s place,” he said. “I got the job, met her, and fell in love.”

“When did you buy the place from her dad?” she asked, trying to keep him engaged in conversation.

“Couple years ago,” he said, shrugging. “He wanted to retire and figured I’d be a good person to replace him.” He grinned at the memories that flooded his brain. “We got insanely drunk one night, and he only requested that I pay him one dollar.” She raised an eyebrow. “He said that he thought he owed me more for taking his daughter off of his hands.”

“Doesn’t sound like too nice of a guy,” she replied.

“No, he isn’t,” he agreed. “A right bastard, actually. Everyone in that family is cruel and heartless.” He looked at her. “But here I am, talking to the enemy like she’s my bloody therapist.”

“I offered my services before- might as well use them,” she said, clasping her hands on her lap.

“Sick of talking about me,” he replied. “Your turn.” She quirked an eyebrow. “Why’d you become a pastry chef?”

“My mom taught me how to make a lot of cakes and cookies when I was a kid,” she said, smiling. “It always interested me, so I decided it would probably be the best career choice I could make. I went to culinary school, graduated at the top of my class, and bought the shop.”

“Is it named after your mum?” he asked, and she nodded. “That’s nice of you.”

“Well, I owed it to her,” she said, looking down. “It opened a week before she died.” He frowned. “A brain aneurysm.”

“I’m sorry,” he said genuinely, and she nodded, not willing to look at him, more fixated on her hands. “You’re a brave girl to open a shop like that fresh out of culinary school.” She raised her eyes to his, surprised by the compliment. “Not a lot of people your age could’ve done something like that.”

“You act as if you’re so much older than me,” she said, smirking. “You’re what, 30?”

“Twenty-eight, thank you very much,” he replied sharply before pausing. “Do I really look thirty to you?”

“It was just an estimate,” she said, shrugging. “For all I know, you could be forty or fifty- you just look young.”

“I don’t know if I should be insulted by that or not,” he said, standing up. “Would probably help if the room wasn’t spinning.” She got up and walked over to him, grabbing his arm gently. “What’re you doing?”

“Making sure you make it to your room and don’t pass out midway,” she answered.

“I usually don’t take girls to my room until the third date,” he joked, happy when she giggled beside him. “But I’m willing to make an exception this once.”

“Great, you’re a perverted drunk,” she said, leading him down a hallway and looking around before locating his bedroom.

“No, just quite horny,” he said, stumbling into his room and flopping onto his bed. “Feel like a little rough and tumble, pet?”

“The next time I see you, I’ll be reminding you of this,” she said, smirking at him. “Just a warning.”

“Idle threat, kitten,” he replied, yawning. “Fine, I’ll be a good little lad and nod off.”

“Good,” she said, watching him get under his blankets. “Not going to change into something comfortable?”

“I figured I’d wait until you left to strip down,” he said, looking at her. “I usually sleep naked, ducks.” She felt her cheeks blushing. “But if you want to see what I’ve got, I’ll gladly show you.”

“No thanks,” she said quickly, walking away from his room and ignoring the loud chuckling she heard as she left the apartment.

* * * * *

The next morning, Buffy went to the front display case in Joyce’s Pastry Shop and grabbed half a dozen jelly-filled cookies, along with a few peanut butter and chocolate chip ones. Willow watched her friend curiously as she put them in a little plastic bag and tied them off with ribbon.

“Those for a special someone?” she asked, causing Buffy to jump slightly in surprise. “Didn’t mean to scare you, sorry. I let myself in through the back. Anya’s taking the day off- she’s spending the day with Xander, a man who needs his wounds licked.”

“Alright,” Buffy said, shrugging. “We don’t need to be open that long today. I think we both could use a break.” Willow raised an eyebrow, not used to Buffy being so carefree and flexible with their hours. “Do you mind if I go across town for a few minutes?”

“To deliver those to Spike?” Willow asked, smirking when Buffy’s jaw dropped. “I know you’re starting to like him, even though he’s technically your nemesis.”

“Is it that obvious?” the blonde asked, smiling when Willow nodded vigorously. “Fine. Yes, I’m going to give these to Spike. Have a problem with that?”

“No,” Willow said. “Just want to see you be happy.” Buffy smiled at her before grabbing her car keys and leaving.

‘And if he hurts her, I’ll beat him to death with a shovel,’ the redhead thought to herself.

Buffy got in her car and drove to Chantarelle’s, parking in front of the building and going to the front door. She paused when she noticed that it was completely dark inside before looking at a sign that had been taped to the door.

Closed Until Further Notice

“Uh oh,” she said quietly, staring at it in shock.
Fantasizing About the Enemy by Allison
Author's Notes:
Due to the fact I'm swamped with work this week, I won't be updating again until Wednesday at the earliest. Sorry! I hope you continue to enjoy the fic, though!
After a week of trying to contact Spike without any luck, Buffy was surprised when he walked into Joyce’s one afternoon. She studied him for a long while, noticing how nervous he seemed as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

“Hey,” she said quietly, happy when Willow and Anya walked into the back, leaving them alone.

“Hi, Buffy,” he replied, giving her a small smile. “How’ve you been?”

“Fine, and you?” she asked, leaning back against a counter. “I saw that you shut down Chantarelle’s.” He nodded, looking down. “Permanently?”

“I’ve decided to change the name,” he said. “Obviously, I don’t associate anything good with it anymore.” She nodded, understanding. “Once I figure out a new name, I’ll reopen it.”

“Good,” she replied. “I’d hate to see you close it forever. It’s a nice place.”

“I’m happy you feel that way,” he said, taking a deep breath. “Because I’d like to offer you a job there.” She felt her jaw drop as she let his words sink in. “I mean, I know you usually only work here during the day, so I thought maybe you’d like an evening job, too. It wouldn’t be every day- you could come in like three times a week. I’d love to have you be in charge of desserts.”

“I could make stuff here and deliver it there,” she replied, still stunned. “I wouldn’t need to actually work there.” He fought back the urge to frown, inwardly wanting to be around her as much as possible without having to admit that he was beginning to have feelings for her.

“I guess that’s true,” he said. “But wouldn’t it be nicer to have two incomes?” She smiled slightly and looked down.

“I’m really flattered by your offer, Spike, but I’m afraid I’d rather not take it,” she said. “I’ll gladly deliver cakes and what-not to your restaurant, but it’s probably best if I don’t work with you. Our personalities in the workplace would undoubtedly lead to volatile chaos.”

“Yeah, I suppose you’re right,” he said, looking away and sighing. “Worth a try to ask, though.”

“Well, I wasn’t lying when I said I’m flattered,” she replied, looking at him. “It means a lot, coming from you.”

“Why? Because you and I couldn’t stand the sight of each other before the competition?” he joked, and she nodded, smiling. “Well, what’s done is done- you beat me, good and proper.”

“Well, if it’s any consolation, I think you scored more presentation points for your chocolate cake,” she said. “It was beautiful. I couldn’t believe men had made it, to be honest.”

“Are you insulting my masculinity?” he asked, frowning when she giggled. “I screwed up the cheesecake batter- if I would’ve had sufficient time to redo it and make a cheesecake, I would’ve kicked your ass, luv.”

“Yeah?” she asked, grinning. “Care to make a wager?”

“Gladly,” he said, leaning on the counter and locking eyes with her. “We’ll each make a cake and have our friends judge them, and if I win, you have to work for me.”

“Your terms are acceptable,” she replied, crossing her arms. “And if I win, you have to name the new restaurant after me.” He raised an eyebrow and studied her for a moment before extending his hand to her. “Deal?”

“Deal,” he said, smiling when she shook his hand. “Tonight, eight o’clock. Can your kitchen here handle both of us cooking?”

“Promise not to start a food-fight?” she asked, and he chuckled.

“Wouldn’t mind seeing you covered in whipped cream,” he said, laughing harder when she narrowed her eyes at him. “I promise to be a good boy.”

“Good,” she said. “Because if you don’t, I’ll pour chocolate all over you.”

“And lick it off?” he asked, biting his bottom lip to keep from smirking as he leered at her. She leaned on the counter, their mouths now inches apart.

“What if I did?” she teased suggestively, watching as he gulped. “Would that make you happy?”

“God yes,” he answered, his eyes widening when he realized what he had said. “Wait, no… You tricked me.”

“How?” she asked, still inwardly surprised by his answer.

“By batting those pretty eyelashes at me and sounding like a professional trollop,” he answered. She grabbed a cookie and chucked it at him, trying not to smile when he caught it and bit into it. “You know the key to my heart, Miss Summers.”

“Formalities will get you nowhere, my friend,” she said, smiling slightly.

“We’re friends now?” he asked, tilting his head and returning her smile.

“I drove your stubborn ass home last week and dealt with your advances- I’d say that makes us friends,” she answered.

“Well, that’s something,” he said, bowing his head slightly before going to the door. “Remember- eight o’clock.”

“Count on it,” she said, watching him open the door. “I can’t wait to kick your butt again.”

“Dream on, little girl,” he said, looking at her once more before leaving.

She watched him go before taking a deep breath and walking into the back part of the building, seeing Anya and Willow making truffles on a counter.

“How much of that did you hear?” Buffy asked curiously, not surprised to see them both look guilty. “Are you both willing to be here tonight?”

“And watch you win twice in two weeks?” Anya asked, smirking. “Of course.”

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Willow asked. “I mean, you could be working for Spike.”

“And I could have a restaurant named after me,” Buffy replied, shrugging. “Stay optimistic, Will.”

“I’m trying,” the redhead said. “But I’m also worried.”

“I’m not,” Buffy said, hopping up to sit on an adjacent counter. “Because another victory will be oh so sweet.”

‘There’s no way he’s going to beat me,’ she thought, clasping her hands together and smiling to herself.

* * * * *

After calling Xander and Andrew to invite them to Joyce’s for the mini-competition, Spike lay down on his bed and looked up at the ceiling, remembering the conversation he had with Buffy earlier, specifically the parts about whipped cream and chocolate.

‘Buffy completely nude, covered only in whipped cream,’ he thought, groaning as he unzipped his jeans and released his erection, one that had been present practically ever since he left Joyce’s. He began slowly stroking it as his mind conjured up images of Buffy spread out on a counter, writhing beneath him as he pumped inside of her. His hand wrapped around his cock as he began seeking a release, his actions becoming quicker as more images assaulted him.

“I’m going to make you want me, Buffy,” he ground out as he pictured her inner walls spasming around his manhood, in the throes of an orgasm. Spike’s hips bucked up more as he began coming from his actions, groaning as a sense of extreme satisfaction coursed through him. He continued panting, trying to catch his breath. “You’ll be mine before the week is over.”
The Second Time Around by Allison
Author's Notes:
Sorry updates have been so slow, but I promise to post chapter 11 tomorrow because this one is kind of a cliffhanger... kind of LOL Ashlee and I are going to start posting a new fic tomorrow, but it will only be on her LJ and the Goldilocks LJ, so if you want to read it, please go in that direction. It's a VERY taboo fic, but we hope some people enjoy it;)
Spike showed up at Joyce’s later that day with Xander and Andrew, all three men excited to try proving themselves once again. Buffy let them in and led them into the kitchen, watching as they all looked around, surprised.

“What?” she asked, raising an eyebrow and looking at Willow and Anya, who were having coffees a few feet off to the side.

“Who knew this place had a kitchen this big?” Xander asked, studying the room. “The front of the shop is so tiny compared to this. I can see why you like it here, Buffy- it’s spacious.”

“Yeah, I must admit that the restaurant’s kitchen doesn’t have this much room,” Spike said. “Everything is bit cluttered, and it only gets worse when people are moving about.”

“Well, maybe you can fix it up while it’s closed,” Anya said, ignoring the warning look that Buffy gave her. “I mean, there’s no one there, so you have a chance.”

“I’ll think about it,” Spike said, giving Buffy a smile, having noticed her glare at her friend. “So, how are we going to kick things off, Summers? Shall I just make a cheesecake and you use one that you’ve already made?”

“Fine with me,” she replied, crossing her arms. “I made a dozen this afternoon, so I’m set. Just need to decorate them.”

“Sounds good,” Spike said, nodding. “Just point me in the direction of what supplies I can use and prepare to have your ass kicked, good and proper.”

“Someone’s a bit cocky,” she replied, smirking at him. “Or maybe some of your insecurities are coming out to play.”

“Whatever you say, pet,” he said, smiling. “But you know damn well I can give you a run for your money.” She laughed, walking to one of the refrigerators. “Do we still have a deal?”

“Yep,” she said, grabbing a cheesecake before setting it down on one of the counters and closing the refrigerator’s door with her foot. “I can’t wait to have a restaurant named after me.”

“Who’s the cocky one now, luv?” Spike joked, amused.

“Umm, guys, not to interrupt your playful banter or the rising sexual tension in the air, but can we hop to it?” Willow asked. “Oz and I are supposed to go out tonight.”

“Don’t worry,” Buffy said, grinning. “Spike won’t last long.”

“Oh, you have no idea how long I can last,” he replied, smirking. “But I don’t mind showing you.”

“Get your mind out of the gutter, Brooks,” Buffy said, scowling at him. “I’d rather beat you in a fair fight, one where you’re not too busy thinking about… other stuff.”

“Are you blushing?” Spike asked, raising an eyebrow when she turned away from him and went towards a mixer that was filled with whipped cream. “You are!”

“This is going to take all night, isn’t it?” Anya mumbled as she walked over to Xander.

“Maybe, but watching these two is pretty entertaining,” he answered, wrapping an arm around her waist.

“Can’t we go and have some orgasms together?” she asked, pouting.

“Spike, we’ll be back later,” Xander said, grabbing Anya’s hand in his and pulling her out of the kitchen and to the front door of the building, letting them out.

“Well, now that they’re gone, maybe we can get more done,” Andrew said, moving to stand beside Spike. “Can we start now?”

“Go right ahead,” Buffy said, motioning for them to proceed. “If you need something, just tell me.”

“Oh, I’m sure I can think of something I need,” Spike replied, smiling at her as he looked up and down her body.

“Just make your cheesecake, Spike,” she said, frowning. “I have better things to do tonight than sit around here.”

“A hot date?” he asked, pleased when she looked away and shook her head. “Then you can wait, pidge. Maybe I’ll make it up to you.” Her gaze returned to his, and he gave her a small smile.

“Do I even want to know how you plan on making it up to me?” she asked quietly.

“Probably not,” he answered, chuckling.

“Yeah, I’m sure you’re right,” she said, making a face before she began to get ready to decorate the cheesecake. “All set?”

“Yep,” he replied, taking a deep breath. “Time to prove you wrong.”

* * * * *

A couple of hours passed, and Buffy watched as Spike finished working on the cheesecake he had made, surprised that it had cooled down enough in one of the refrigerators to be frosted with whipped cream.

“All set,” he said triumphantly, looking at Buffy with a smirk. “Where’s yours?”

“Waiting,” she replied, going into a cooler and pulling out her cheesecake, covered in light pink frosting and strawberry slices, creatively forming a flower in the center.

“Pretty,” he said before looking at his, smiling at the light purple whipped cream that was covered with drops of chocolate. “But I think mine looks pretty good, too.”

“Where are Anya and Xander?” Buffy asked, looking around.

“We’re here!” Anya announced, appearing in the kitchen suddenly with Xander behind her. “We lost track of time.”

“Why am I not surprised?” Buffy heard Willow mumble.

“Well, then let’s cut these open,” Spike said, cutting his cheesecake into slices and putting them on plates. Everyone grabbed a plate and tried the cake, all of them smiling after they finished.

“Wow, Spike, this is pretty good,” Buffy said, looking at him. “Who knew you could make a cheesecake this yummy?”

“Well, you never know when someone will surprise you,” he said, winking at her. “Now, your turn, Goldilocks.”

She cut her cheesecake into half a dozen pieces, put them on plates, and handed them out.

“Did you put strawberry filling in this?” Spike asked after taking a bite.

“It helped me win before, so I figured why not,” she replied, shrugging. “Is it good?”

“It’s excellent,” Xander chipped in, holding his tray out. “Can I have another piece?”

“Pig,” Anya said quietly, nudging him. “You had a bag of chips on your way here.”

“Well, you wore me out,” he muttered, noticing the disgusted look on everyone’s faces. “What?”

“Too much information,” Buffy said, frowning. “So, who wins tonight?”

“Honestly?” Willow asked, looking at her friend with a sheepish expression. “I think it’s a tie.”

“But mine was filled!” Buffy said, shocked. “His wasn’t. It was just a simple cheesecake.”

“But it tastes so good,” Anya replied, smiling. “If Xander can have two pieces, then so can I. Spike, I’d like another slice.”

“You got it,” he said, grabbing her plate and putting another piece of cheesecake on it. “So Buffy and I are tying?”

“Yeah, I’d have to agree with the girls,” Andrew said, nodding.

“Looks like you’re working for me now, princess,” Spike said, grinning at Buffy, who crossed her arms.

“Are you still going to name your restaurant after me?” she asked.

“We’ll work out a name together,” he answered. “But yes, that was the deal, wasn’t it?”

“Good,” Xander said, walking over to Buffy. “Now that the formalities are over, can we finish the cheesecakes?”

“Sure,” Buffy said, giving him another slice of her cake.

“So, should we meet up tomorrow and discuss the terms of your contract?” Spike asked, smiling when she glared at him.

“No ‘contracts’,” she said. “It makes it sound like I’m bound to you.”

“Oh, bondage,” Anya said, smiling at Xander. “That’s something we should try.”

“Do you ever think before you speak?” Buffy asked sharply, looking at her friend.

“Huh?” Anya asked, confused.

“That’s what I thought,” Buffy replied before turning towards Spike. “Fine, we can meet up tomorrow and talk. Why don’t you come here around noon, and we can go out to lunch or something?”

“Like a date?” Spike joked, even though he inwardly wished it would be true.

“Well, if you play your cards right,” she replied, giggling.

“Sounds promising,” he said, getting another piece of cheesecake from her. “Warming up to me, love?”

“You’re still an enemy,” she said, surprised when he frowned.

“How can I become an ally?” he asked curiously, tilting his head.

“I guess you’ll find out, won’t you?” she said, smiling at him as he chuckled.

“Will you two stop flirting?” Anya asked. “My boyfriend’s still hungry.”

“You’ve had three pieces of cheesecake!” Andrew said in a warning tone, looking at Xander. “You might throw up.”

“And on that lovely note, let’s call it a night,” Spike announced, happy when Buffy sighed with relief. “I’ll help Buffy clean up, so how about you all head home and enjoy the rest of the night?”

“Is that alright, Buffy?” Willow asked.

“Yeah, go ahead,” Buffy said, exchanging a quick look with Spike. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Both Buffy and Spike watched their friends walk out before turning toward one another.

“So, looks like we’re all alone,” he said, smirking.

“Yeah, looks like,” she replied, looking away as she began to blush, wondering what would happen next.
A Stolen Kiss… and Bite by Allison
Author's Notes:
I'm happy people stuck with this story despite the fact it took me a few days to update it! Thanks to everyone who reviewed the last chapter, and I hope you continue to enjoy the fic! The kiss you all have been waiting for is finally here;)
“So, what now?” Spike asked, putting his hands in his pockets.

“Well, I guess we clean up,” Buffy replied, looking around. “There’s only one slice of cheesecake left.”

“Take it,” he said, motioning to it.

“It’s your cake- you can have it,” she said, shrugging. He smirked and grabbed the plate, handing it to her. “Really, Spike, it’s yours.”

“How about we split it?” he asked, grabbing two forks and handing one to her. She accepted it and smiled.

“Thank you,” she said, taking a forkful and eating it. “I’m not going to lie- this is very good.”

“So was yours,” he replied. “I can see why they’re your specialty.”

“Did you go to culinary school for desserts?” she asked, surprised when he nodded. “I thought you were more of an entrée kind of guy.”

“That’s to keep my bad-boy image in place,” he said, winking at her. “I’ve always been a fan of making cakes and other desserts. They’re the best part of a meal.”

“Yeah, they really are,” she agreed, taking one more bite before throwing away her fork.

“There’s enough left for one more taste,” he said, spearing the last bit of cheesecake on the end of his fork before extending it to her mouth.

“What’re you-”

“It’s yours,” he said, smiling when she opened her mouth and ate it. They locked eyes as she swallowed, both beginning to feel something between them, the sexual tension mounting without either of them noticing it before.

“Thanks,” she said quietly, taking a small step back.

“Buffy-” he began, but she turned away from him and went towards the sink. “What’s wrong?”

“Is it bad that I might be interested in you?” she asked curiously, looking at him for a moment and seeing the shock on his face. “Never mind.” She focused on the dishes in the sink and wished that he would leave, feeling mortified enough after expressing how she felt.

He walked over to her and loosely grabbed her wrist, turning her around so that they would be face-to-face again.

“That’s not a bad thing,” he said, studying her face. “It’s actually quite good.”

“It is?”

“Yes,” he answered, leaning down, their faces only mere inches apart. “Because I like you, too.”

“You do?” she asked, stunned. “Since when? I mean, you and I were fighting before, and now-”

“Now it’s different,” he cut in, pressing his lips to hers, wrapping his arms around her when she didn’t resist. Buffy returned the kiss for a moment before breaking away a little.

“I didn’t intend for this to happen,” she murmured, her eyes wide.

“Me either,” he said, smirking. “But now that it has, maybe you can cover me in chocolate sauce like you mentioned earlier today.” She swatted his chest and broke away from his embrace, giggling.

“You’re a bad man,” she replied, beginning to wash the dishes.

“One of the worst around,” he agreed, rolling up his shirtsleeves and grabbing a dish towel.

“You don’t have to help,” she said, looking at him. “There isn’t that much for me to do.”

“And leave you here alone, this late at night?” he asked, frowning. “Don’t think so.”

“Are you sure?” she asked. “I mean, I’m sure there are other things you could be doing.”

“Trust me, Goldilocks, I’m exactly where I want to be,” he said, smiling when she blushed. “And maybe we can go out for a drink afterwards.”

“I’d love to,” she said, returning his smile for a moment. “You’d better dry these quickly, then.”

“As you wish, mistress,” he joked, laughing when she blushed again. “I love making you do that.”

“Bite me,” she mumbled, gasping when he leaned over and bit her shoulder through the cotton of her shirt. “Hey, that hurt!”

“Just following orders, ma’am,” he joked, chuckling.

“Oh, you’re going to get it, buster,” she replied, narrowing her eyes at him.

“I can’t wait to see what I’m going to get,” he said, grinning. “I bet it’ll be something naughty. Spankings and handcuffs are wonderful rewards.”

“Will you stop it?” she asked, hitting his arm.

“Not until you agree to go out on a date with me sometime,” he said, looking at her.

“You want to go on a date with me?” she asked, raising an eyebrow when he nodded. “I’ll think about it.”

“So that’s a yes, then?” he asked, smirking when she sighed.

“Yes, I guess it is,” she said, handing him a clean pan.

“Then we both have something to look forward to,” he replied, giving her a genuine smile.

* * * * *

After locking up Joyce’s Pastry Shop, they walked to The Little Green Tavern and went inside, sitting at a table and ordering drinks.

“Are you sure we should try working together?” Buffy asked, looking at him. “I mean, that could potentially lead to a world of badness.”

“Or it could lead to a world of extreme goodness,” he replied, smirking. “The job is yours, luv, and it was part of our deal.”

“I didn’t say I’m backing out,” she said, managing a small smile. “I just meant that it’s not a venture to be taken lightly.”

“It’s not,” he agreed, nodding. “I’m taking it very seriously. Having an award-winning dessert chef at the new place will be even more fantastic for business.”

“We will have to figure out my hours and everything,” she said, giving their waitress a gracious look when she put their beers down on the table before walking away. “I’ll continue to work at Joyce’s in the mornings- that won’t ever change.”

“You can come in at night,” he replied, drinking some of his beer. “And you don’t need to show up every day. You can make enough cakes and what-not on the nights you come in so you won’t need to be there as much as the rest of us.”

“That sounds good to me,” she said. “And don’t forget- the new restaurant has to bear my name or one I choose.”

“Of course,” he said, grinning. “That was also part of the bargain.”

“Your real name is Elizabeth, right?” he asked, and she nodded, sipping her beer. “I can work with that.”

“Well, if it isn’t the town’s biggest archrivals,” Rupert Giles said, walking to their table. “Never thought I’d see you here together- at the same table, no less.”

“Well, we’re working out an agreement,” Spike said, looking at Buffy. “We made a deal.”

“Deal-making?” Giles asked, raising an eyebrow. “Has hell finally frozen over? Looks like the end is near for all of us.”

“Be nice,” Buffy said, giving the older man a smile.

“Whatever you say,” he replied jokingly. “But the earth is definitely doomed.”

He walked away as the two blondes laughed, looking at one another and hoping that making their deal become reality would end up being the best thing that had ever happened to them.
Contractually Bound by Allison
Author's Notes:
Thank you for all of the reviews for the last chapter! I'm happy people enjoyed the (brief) kiss LOL Spike pitches a name idea to Buffy in this chapter for the restaurant, so hopefully people will like it. If you don't, I'm open to suggestions. I have another idea for it, but we'll see if I decide to use it. I hope you enjoy this chapter, and the next one will be posted within a couple of days:)
The following day, Spike opened up the restaurant to his employees to hold a meeting, one which Buffy was expected to attend.

“Why should she be here?” Andrew asked as Spike walked around the kitchen, making sure it was completely clean.

“Because I want her to get situated and be comfortable here,” Spike said. “If she enjoys working here, maybe she’ll stick to it.”

“Did you two ever decide how long she has to work here to fulfill the deal?” Xander asked, frowning when Spike’s eyes widened. “I’ll take that as a no, then.”

“I never specified it,” Spike mumbled, continuing to survey the room. “We’ll figure it out later.”

“Figure what out later?” Buffy asked, appearing in the doorway, smiling at the men. “Good afternoon, boys.”

“Hey, Buffy,” Xander said, returning her smile. “How was Joyce’s this morning?”

“Just fine,” she answered, shrugging. “We sold a birthday cake to the Mayor, so that was cool.”

“How’s Anya?” he asked casually, causing Buffy to giggle.

“She couldn’t stop talking about you,” she said. “You must be quite a ‘stallion’, since that’s all she ever calls you now.”

“Fantastic,” Spike said, clapping his hands together to get their attention. “Ready to sign a contract, luv?”

“Isn’t there going to be a meeting?” she asked, confused. “I thought that was the point of having me come in today.”

“There will be a meeting afterwards,” he said, walking over to her. “Follow me, pet.”

“Should we do anything while we’re waiting?” Andrew asked, and Spike waved it off. “Okay.”

“Just make sure everyone’s assembled in the dining room,” he answered, looking over his shoulder at his friends. “We’ll be out there soon.”

Xander and Andrew watched them go before looking at each other.

“Is it just me, or do you think they’re going to be fighting a lot?” Andrew asked quietly.

“Oh, I think we can count on it,” Xander said, crossing his arms. “Their personalities are too similar.”

“Should we prepare for chaos?” Andrew asked, smirking.

“Definitely.”

* * * * *

“Have a seat,” Spike said once he walked inside his office, letting Buffy in before shutting the door. He walked behind his desk and sat down at the same time she did before finding a contract in one of his folders. “It was brought to my attention this morning that we never set an exact timeframe for you to work here.”

“I thought we decided I’d work nights,” she said, raising an eyebrow.

“Not that,” Spike said, looking at her. “Are we talking days, weeks, months… years?”

“Well, how long is this place going to be named after me?” she asked, smiling.

“A while, at best,” he replied, shrugging. “But I guess it’s up to you when it comes to how long you plan on working here.”

“Well, we’ll see how it goes,” she said. “I’ll decide later on.”

“That works,” he said, handing her the contract and a pen. “Just sign all of the lines that have an ‘x’ beside them.” She began signing it as he continued, “Do you have any preferences for which days you work?”

“Weekends are fine,” she answered, not noticing his surprised expression. “I don’t go out often enough to warrant asking for Fridays and Saturdays off.”

“Well, maybe we can change that,” he said, grinning when she raised her eyes to his. “You owe me a date, after all.”

“How could I forget?” she joked, flipping her contract over. “Can I trust you enough not to read all of the fine print?”

“Not looking to screw you over, Buffy,” he said in a serious tone.

‘But screwing you in general is at the top of my priority list,’ he thought, shifting in his seat as he began to imagine her naked.

“Spike!” a woman said, walking into the office, her arms crossed and a stern look on her face.

“What can I do for you, Harmony?” he asked, looking at her. “I’m in the middle of a meeting with Miss Summers.”

“Is it true you’re moving me to the afternoon shift?” she asked, becoming angrier when he nodded. “No one tips well in the afternoons!”

“But you go out at night and don’t like coming in whenever I give you later shifts,” he pointed out. “I thought you’d be happier with this.”

“If this is because I was friends with Lily-”

“I’m fairly certain I’ve now warned everyone here to never say her name,” Spike said sharply.

“Fine,” she replied, sighing. “But now that she’s out of the picture, can we date again? We used to be so good together.” Buffy looked between the waitress and Spike for a moment, not knowing whether to laugh or leave the room as tension seemed to fill the air.

“We’ll discuss it later,” Spike said, motioning for her to leave.

“Good,” she said, grinning. “We’ll definitely talk after the meeting.” She left the office, closing the door once again.

“So, date all of your female employees?” Buffy asked curiously, biting her lip to keep from giggling when he shot her a look.

“I’ve dated a lot of women,” he said, looking away for a moment. “Some of which work here, yes. Is that a problem?”

“Not for me,” she said, smirking. “Especially if you get uncomfortable around all of them and start twitching like you just did.”

“I didn’t twitch!” he said loudly before calming down and looking at her. “Have you finished signing the bloody contract? I have minions to order around so we can open this place again.”

“Am I a minion, too?” she asked, studying him when his expression became soft.

“No, you’re more of an equal to me,” he said. “Not that I necessarily want you to be, but it wouldn’t be fair to rule over you.” He paused. “Although I will be as much as possible. I like making you squirm, Summers.”

‘And wouldn’t mind making you squirm in the bedroom,’ he thought.

“Well, I’m sure it will be quite an experience working for you,” she said, handing him the contract. She watched him put it back in a folder before standing up. “So, when do I start, boss?”

“Whenever we get the new sign,” he said, standing up, too, and walking to the door. “Maybe next week.”

“You didn’t tell me you came up with a name,” she said, smirking. “What is it?”

“A Summers’ Night,” he said, taking a deep breath when she raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“Are you sure you want my last name in there?” she asked. “Wouldn’t a more common name like Elizabeth be better?”

“You don’t like it?” he asked, frowning. “I’m kind of partial to it. It came to me in the shower this morning.”

“I’ll think about it,” she said, shrugging. “I suppose it could work. Makes it seem like I own the place, but whatever floats your boat.”

“It makes sense as long as you’re one of the head chefs,” he replied. “Along with me, of course.”

“Of course,” she agreed, giving him a small smile. “So, ready to lead us all to victory, coach?”

“You’re not funny when I’m anxious, Goldilocks,” he said, taking a deep breath.

“So, when is our date?” she asked, giggling when he looked at her with wide eyes. “What?”

“Didn’t think you’d be the one to bring it up,” he said. “I’m always the one who mentions it.”

“Well, maybe I’m looking forward to it,” she replied, smiling.

“So am I,” he said, returning her smile and putting his hands in his pockets.

“Should we wait until the restaurant opens?” she asked, and he looked away. “No?”

“Don’t know if I can wait that long,” he said, getting her to laugh. “I’m an impatient man, Buffy.”

“I can see that,” she replied, winking at him before walking away.

“Hey, where are you going?” he asked, following her.

“To the pep rally,” she answered, giggling when he chuckled behind her.

“Can we talk later about the date?” he asked, happy when she stopped walking and turned to face him.

“Shouldn’t you be talking to Harmony later?” she asked, batting her eyelashes at him.

“You’re not a nice person,” he mumbled, narrowing his eyes at her.

“Thanks!” she said jokingly before walking away and joining Andrew, Xander, and the rest of the employees in the dining room.

Spike took several deep breaths before coming to stand in front of the group, clasping his hands together and drawing their attention.

‘Get it together,’ he thought. ‘You’re going to run a restaurant named after a girl you have feelings for, and as a bonus, she’ll be working under your management.’ He paused. ‘Buffy… under me… Bad thoughts to save for later, mate.’
Puppy Love by Allison
Author's Notes:
First, I want to say thank you to everyone who has reviewed so far- you have inspired me to keep going with this fic, which is something I sincerely appreciate. I'll try to post the next chapter as soon as possible. Will there be sexy, smutty Spuffyness in it? You bet;)
A week later, Buffy walked into A Summers’ Night and smiled as she took in the atmosphere of the restaurant. Since she had been there last, Spike hired decorators to come in and spruce the décor up, making it more open and cheerful, compared to how dark it had once been inside.

“Well well, if it isn’t the queen herself,” Xander said as he saw her walk in, giving her a mock bow. “I believe the king has been expecting you.”

“And where is His Majesty?” she joked, seeing Spike appear behind his friend. “Hi.”

“Hello,” he said, grinning. “You’re half an hour early.”

“Thought I’d sneak in and do some prep work,” she replied, shrugging. “If you want me to leave, I can-”

“No, please stay,” Spike said quickly, feeling slightly embarrassed when he realized how pleading his tone sounded. “I mean, if you want to work, you can.”

“Thanks,” she said, giving him a small smile before heading towards the doors of the kitchen area. “Want to help, Xander?”

“I can do it,” Spike said before Xander could answer, ignoring his friend’s raised eyebrow. “I don’t have anything to do for a while.”

“Great,” she said happily, walking into the large kitchen.

“Just be careful, Spike,” Xander warned before they followed her. “I know you’ve dated employees before, but she’s different.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Spike said, smirking. “Trust me- I won’t muck this up.”

“So you say now, but how about in a week? In a month? Next year?” the brunette asked, sighing.

“Xander, believe me when I say that I’m going to go above and beyond to make this girl happy,” Spike said, winking before walking into the kitchen.

“Yeah, I hope so,” Xander said to himself before turning, in search of finding Andrew so they could start making appetizers for the grand opening that night.

* * * * *

“How can I help?” Spike asked as he came to stand beside Buffy, watching her peer into one of the refrigerators.

“Can you make about ten dozen truffles?” she asked, not seeing the surprised look on his face.

“Why do you need so many, luv?” he asked. “The seating capacity here is for one hundred people, and we’re only having invited guests come in tonight.”

“Yes, but some people might want more than one,” she replied, looking at him after closing the refrigerator door. “I know I would.”

“Have an addiction to chocolate?” he asked, smiling when she giggled.

“Just a little,” she answered. “I’m a woman- most of us do.”

“You do realize it will take me a long time to make that many truffles,” he said.

“I know,” she said, grinning. “That’s why I assigned it to you.”

“You’re evil,” he mumbled, grabbing a bowl of refrigerated chocolate and a small scooper so he could make the truffles faster.

“Well, you can work beside me,” she said, walking to a counter. “That should make you happy.”

“Is Goldilocks implying she enjoys my company, too?” he asked, feigning shock.

“You’re my boss, Spike,” she said, shrugging. “Figure I might as well get used to you being around.” When his face fell, she grinned brightly. “I like having you around, yes.”

“Good,” he replied, inwardly relieved. As he began to scoop out balls of chocolate, he watched her set out a tray of cocoa powder so he could roll the chocolate in it, which would keep the chocolate from sticking to his hands. “So, I was thinking-”

“About our date?” she asked, busying herself with the cocoa powder before finding a tray that he could put the finished truffles on. “How about we have dinner and go see a movie or something?”

“Sounds good,” he answered, smirking. “Or perhaps dancing? Hitting our favorite tavern?”

“If we showed up their on a date, Giles would probably shut the place down,” she replied.

“So we should go there?” he asked, chuckling when she nodded vigorously.

“I like surprising people,” she said, gasping quietly when he grabbed her wrist in his hand and pulled her closer to him, looking into her eyes.

“So do I,” he said in a low tone, smirking when her eyes widened. “Is that okay?”

“Yes,” she answered breathlessly, watching as his lips descended to hers. “Spike, we’re at work.”

“So what?” he asked. “I own the place.”

“Still,” she said, frowning. “I don’t want to give the other employees bad ideas about me.”

“Fine,” he replied, backing away and grinning when she pouted. “What’s that face for?”

“Can I take a rain-check?” she asked, giggling when he leaned over to kiss her temple.

“You can take as many as you’d like,” he replied, beginning to make more truffles.

* * * * *

“Great job tonight, Buffy,” Xander said as he helped her clean the kitchen after the restaurant had closed for the night. “Everyone was raving about the cherry and chocolate torte you made.”

“Well, it’s always a favorite,” she replied, shrugging. “My mom used to make something like it when I was younger.”

“You must’ve embellished on it because I don’t think she ever made something with several tiers.”

“No, she didn’t,” she said, smiling.

“Summers, I could give you a bloody kiss on the mouth right now,” Spike said as he walked into the kitchen, holding a stack of money in his hand. “We made more tonight than this place ever has before, and a good part of the reason is because of the desserts you made.”

“Doubtful,” she said, blushing as he wrapped his arms around her and pressed his lips to hers for a chaste kiss. She studied him as they broke away from each other, seeing a content look settling on his features.

“No, not doubtful,” he replied. “The Mayor said we deserved a little extra for your torte. Do you know what ‘a little extra’ ended up being?” Xander watched as Spike set one hundred dollars on a countertop. “All yours as a tip, pet.”

“I’m not taking that,” she said, staring at it. “I did what I was supposed to do- I don’t get tips for that.”

“Well, now you do,” Spike said, giving her a wide smile. “You deserve it. You were working that pretty little ass off all night.”

“Spike, I think that’s sexual harassment,” she joked, leaning over to kiss his cheek as she grabbed the money. “Thank you.”

“What about my reward?” Xander asked, playfully pouting. “I’ll take a kiss, too, Mr. Brooks.”

“Keep it in your pants, guys,” Buffy replied, giggling as she went to grab her jacket. “Well, I should head out. I have work to do in the morning.”

“I’ll walk you out,” Spike said, letting her say goodbye to Xander before they walked out the back door of the building.

“Xander, where’s Spike?” Andrew asked as the younger man walked into the kitchen.

“Escorting the lady to her chariot, I believe,” the brunette answered.

“Lucky bitch,” Andrew mumbled before his eyes widened, seeing Xander’s surprised expression. “I meant lucky bastard.”

“Sure you did,” Xander said, smirking at his friend before walking away.

Meanwhile, Spike and Buffy walked to her car in silence, not knowing what to say to one another.

“So, are you coming in tomorrow?” Spike asked suddenly, watching as she unlocked her driver-side door.

“I might for a little while,” she said, shrugging. “We’ll see.”

“Okay,” he replied, taking a deep breath. “Well, have a good night, Buffy.”

“You, too,” she said, smiling when he kissed her. “Bye, Spike.” She got in her car and started it, watching him walk away before rolling down her window. “Spike?”

He turned around and looked at her, worried.

“Want to go on a date tomorrow night?” she asked, grinning when he smirked.

“I’d love to,” he said, winking at her before turning again and walking into the building.

Xander and Andrew were locking up the front door when Spike got to them.

“So, who wants to be in charge tomorrow night?” he asked, giddy. “I’m taking my girl out.”

“It’s about time,” Xander said, smirking. “We’ll take care of things.”

“Andrew?” Spike asked, seeing the sad look on his face.

“Yep, it’ll be fine,” he said, giving his boss and friend a small smile. “Good luck.”

“Thanks, I’ll need it,” Spike said before walking into his office.

“Looks like your puppy-dog crush has to be put on hold,” Xander said, looking at Andrew, who began to blush.

“Bite me,” Andrew said quietly before biting back tears and storming off, ignoring the sound of Xander laughing as he made his way out of the restaurant.
A Bowl Full of Whipped Cream by Allison
Author's Notes:
Thank you for all of the reviews, and I promise there is more fluffy Spuffyness on the way;)
Buffy walked into A Summers’ Night the following evening and blushed when Xander looked at her and smirked, visually appraising her.

“You look nice tonight,” he said.

“Thank you,” she replied, nervously running a hand through her hair. “Where’s Spike?”

“In the kitchen,” he answered, looking down. “There was a little accident this afternoon.”

“Accident?” she asked, her eyes widening. “What happened?”

“Well, I was trying to take a couple of cakes out of the refrigerators, and I kind of… dropped the tray,” he mumbled, frowning when a sad expression settled on her features. “And then Andrew was making a few of the entrees before, but they didn’t exactly turn out.”

“Doesn’t sound like today’s been going well,” she said.

“No, it’s not,” Spike agreed, walking through the kitchen doors and pausing as he looked at Buffy. “Wow.”

“Is that a good ‘wow’?” she asked, smiling when he grinned. “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“You looking like that is helping enough,” he answered, chuckling when she blushed. “The kitchen is an absolute mess right now, and Andrew just cut his hand on a knife he was using.”

“Does he need stitches?” Xander asked. “I swear he hurts himself more than anyone else here.”

“He doesn’t pay attention sometimes,” Spike said quietly. “But he’s fine. I sent him home for the rest of the day.”

“So let me fill in for him,” Buffy said, walking towards the kitchen, stopping when Spike grabbed her arm.

“It was supposed to be our night off,” he replied, looking into her eyes. “We were supposed to have our date.”

“We can push it to another day,” she said, giving him a small smile. “Besides, the restaurant’s more important.”

“Is it?” Spike asked, studying her.

“It’s still in its fledgling state,” she said. “We need to make sure it flies before we let it go off on its own.”

“I’ve run this place before, luv,” Spike pointed out.

“Yes, but this place is all yours now,” she said. “Before, it was a part of your fiancé’s family more than it was ever yours.”

“And now it bears your name,” he replied, smiling.

“Yes, it does,” she affirmed. “And I’m not about to see it go down in flames. I have a reputation to maintain, remember?” She winked at him before going into the kitchen.

“She’s a good woman,” Xander said, looking at his friend.

“That she is,” Spike agreed before following her.

* * * * *

After the restaurant closed for the night and they sent everyone home, Spike and Buffy worked on cleaning up the kitchen.

“Looks like things ended on a good note,” she said as she finished putting away the dishes she had washed.

“Would have been better if we went out, though,” he replied, and she shrugged.

“Maybe we weren’t meant to go out tonight,” she said, looking at him. “Maybe something bad would’ve happened.”

“A believer in fate, are you?” he asked, smirking when she giggled.

“A little,” she answered. “My mom always believed in it, so I figure I might as well, too.”

“So you think it’s fate that you kicked my ass at the first competition?” he asked, tilting his head.

“No, that wasn’t fate- I deserved to win fair and square,” she said, grinning. “And it brought us together, so I wouldn’t say you lost out too much.”

“No, I suppose I didn’t,” he agreed, opening one of the refrigerators and looking at its contents.

“Hungry?” she asked, her eyes widening when he pulled out a bowl of whipped cream and some chocolate sauce. “What’s that for?”

“I’m hungry,” he replied, his eyes twinkling with mischief as he pulled out a carton of ice cream, chuckling when she looked relieved. “What? Did you think I was suggesting something?”

“Of course not,” she lied, walking over to him after grabbing two small bowls and some spoons. “I haven’t had a sundae in the longest time.”

“Somehow I doubt that,” he said, watching as she began scooping out ice cream and putting it in their bowls. “You know, if you wanted to do something else with this stuff, we could.” She looked at him and raised an eyebrow when he threaded his fingers in her hair and leaned down to kiss her.

She smiled against his lips as she put one of her fingers in the bowl of whipped cream and ran it down his neck, breaking away from his mouth to lick the cream off his skin. Spike clenched his jaw and looked at her, his eyes darkening with lust.

“Guess we’ll have to use the whole bowl,” she said, smiling. “It wouldn’t be sanitary to use it in the restaurant anymore.”

“Now that you touched it with your dirty fingers,” he replied, smirking as he picked her up and set her on the edge of one of the countertops.

“My fingers aren’t dirty,” she said, pouting. “My mind is, though.”

“I can tell,” he replied, kissing her again and groaning when she tugged his shirt up, running one of her hands over his abdomen, his muscles contracting in anticipation. “What’re we doing here, pet?”

“Having fun,” she answered, pulling off his shirt and tossing it aside before grabbing a handful of whipped cream and spreading it over his torso, leaning forward to lick it off.

“Buffy,” he said quietly, closing his eyes and running his hand over her hair. “We shouldn’t do this.” She looked at him with a mixture of surprise and hurt in her eyes. “Not here, at least.”

“Why not?” she asked, running her hands down to the button of his pants and popping it open.

“Because it wouldn’t be a good idea,” he said. “If we’re going to do anything tonight, it should be special, better than this.”

“Oh, I don’t think it gets much better than whipped cream and chocolate all over you,” she replied, grabbing the chocolate sauce and instantly frowning when he took it away from her.

“I’m feeling a bit overdressed, Goldilocks,” he said, smirking. “Time to catch you up first.”

He watched as she took off her blouse before unclasping her bra and tossing it onto his shirt. He ran his hands up her sides and gently cupped her breasts, seemingly weighing them in his hands before leaning down to kiss each of her nipples softly, grinning when she moaned as he tugged on one with his teeth for a moment. When he moved away from her, she grabbed his arm.

“Please don’t tell me you’re stopping there,” she said, feeling her heartbeat quicken when he dripped chocolate sauce over her chest and began sucking off the thick liquid.

“Did you really think I’d stop?” he asked, looking at her with an amused expression.

“No,” she answered breathlessly. “Just didn’t want to wait longer.”

“You won’t have to,” he said, continuing to place kisses all over her upper body as he ran his hands up her thighs, under her skirt. “Did I tell you how unsafe it is to work skirts to work?”

“Wore it for our date,” she said, smirking. “And why isn’t it safe? Because I could hurt my legs on something?”

“No,” he answered, pushing her thong aside and finding her clit with one of his fingers before circling it for a moment, delighting in the way she moaned. “Because your boss is a horny devil.”

“That’s right,” she agreed, looking into his eyes, her hips moving in time with the rhythm of his finger’s actions. “I wonder why I forgot.”

“Well, feel free to forget more often,” he replied, watching as she unzipped his pants and freed his erection. “I don’t mind reminding you.” He reached into one of his pockets and extracted his wallet, pulling out a condom.

“Did you plan this?” she asked, raising an eyebrow and watching as he opened the small wrapper and took out the piece of latex before rolling it down his shaft.

“It’s always good to be prepared,” he answered. “Don’t you agree?”

“Completely,” she said, locking eyes with him as he guided himself to her center, both gasping at the sensation as Spike slowly thrust inside of her, stilling once their hips met. “We just cleaned this place up.”

“Guess that means it’s time to make it dirty again,” he replied, groaning when she rocked her hips against his as she wrapped her legs around his hips and locked her ankles behind his back, pushing him forward so he’d be deeper inside of her.

“I’m pretty sure we might be breaking some health code violations,” she said, moaning when he began pumping inside of her. “Spike-”

“Sod the rules,” he said in a low tone, kissing her roughly as she put her hands on his shoulders, squeezing them when he began to increase the pace of his thrusts.

Both moved together, fervently seeking their release before Buffy felt her inner walls begin to spasm around his cock, her orgasm washing over her.

“I’ve got you, Buffy,” he said, kissing her again, moving harder as he spilled himself into the condom.

He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against his body, not wanting to let her go and hoping that she didn’t regret what they had done.

“Spike?” she asked quietly, nuzzling her face into his neck. “I think the chocolate sauce fell over at some point. I can feel something wet against my back.” He looked behind her and smirked.

“Well, if you’d like, I could lick some of it off of you,” he suggested, wiggling his eyebrows at her.

“You’re a perverted man,” she said, leaning up to kiss him. “One who once told me he didn’t sleep with girls until after the third date.”

“No, I’m fairly sure I said I didn’t take girls to my room,” he corrected. “Never said anything about my kitchen.” She giggled and ran her hands over his arms. “Should we clean this place up again and maybe go home to my place?”

“And what do you propose doing once we get there?” she asked coyly.

“Well, I’ll cover you in the rest of the whipped cream we have and lick it off like a kitten,” he answered. “Before showing you just how perverted I can be.”

“Sounds like fun,” she replied, grinning when he kissed her.

“Oh, it will be.”
Then the Morning Came by Allison
Author's Notes:
Alright, I've changed my mind- the angst isn't over yet, folks. But it will leave sooner or later, I swear:) Thank you for all of the reviews and support!
Spike turned over in his bed and opened his eyes slowly to see Buffy beside him, still fast asleep. He smiled softly before draping his arm over her side and kissing her shoulder, watching as her eyes fluttered open before she turned her head to look at him.

“Hi,” she said quietly, stretching her arms a little and yawning.

“Hey,” he replied, running his hand over her hair to smooth it down. “How are you?”

“Tired,” she answered. “How about you?”

“Blissfully satisfied might describe my current state of mind,” he said, grinning when she smirked and turned to look at a clock.

“Is that really the time?” she asked, her eyes widening. “Uh oh.”

“What’s wrong?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I was supposed to open the shop at seven,” she said, getting out of his bed and pulling on her clothes as quickly as she could. “I’m almost an hour late.”

“I’m sure your friends can run it until you get there,” he replied, sitting up and waving it off.

“They don’t have keys to the building,” she said sharply, looking around in search of her purse before locating it and crossing the room to grab it.

“Buffy, slow down,” he said, getting up and finding his jeans, tugging them on.

“I don’t have time to ‘slow down’,” she said, walking out of his room, not surprised when he followed her. “I can’t go there looking like this.”

“I think you look beautiful,” he said sincerely, smiling when she looked down, blushing. “Why the blush, Goldilocks? Not like we’re strangers anymore.”

“Yeah, last night changed things,” she replied, looking at him for a moment before going to his door and opening it, walking out without ever looking back.

Spike watched her go, confused by how she was acting and what she had said. Before he could go after her, he heard his phone ring. He walked into his kitchen to get it.

“Hello?” he asked, running a hand through his hair, still concerned about Buffy.

“Spike, it’s me,” Xander said. “Anya just called and asked if maybe you know where Buffy is?”

“She’s on her way to work,” he mumbled, sighing. “She’s running late.”

“She stayed over at your place?” Xander asked, sounding surprised. “Wow, man, I didn’t expect that to happen for a long time.”

“Yeah, me either,” he replied, looking away. “I have to go, Xander. I’ll see you at the restaurant later.”

He hung up and cracked his neck on his way to the bathroom, wishing he knew exactly how Buffy felt about the prior tonight.

* * * * *

“I’m so sorry,” Buffy apologized as she walked to the door of Joyce’s Pastry Shop half an hour later, unlocking it and letting Anya and Willow inside behind her.

“It’s alright,” Willow said, shrugging. “The weather is warm enough for us to enjoy sitting outside and talking. We figured you’d call us if something was wrong or if we didn’t need to come in.”

“Or if you were tired from boinking Spike all night,” Anya chipped in, smiling when Buffy’s eyes widened. “I called Xander, he called Spike, and Xander called me back. I’m so happy for you two!”

“Um… thanks,” Buffy replied, averting her gaze and walking behind the front counter, unlocking the cash register.

“Well, I’ll go start making cookies,” Anya said. “But congratulations, Buffy! It’s about time you found an orgasm buddy.” She walked into the back room, ignoring the look that Willow gave her before she left them.

“Buffy, are you okay?” Willow asked, walking closer to her friend.

“I’m fine,” the blonde murmured, focusing on one of the display cases, counting the cookies that were left from the day before.

“Wasn’t sleeping with Spike kind of-” Willow began, frowning when Buffy interrupted her.

“Impulsive? Rash? Stupid?” Buffy supplied, leaning on the counter and looking at her friend. “Yes.”

“Then why did you-” Willow said, crossing her arms when Buffy cut in again.

“I don’t know,” Buffy said, taking a deep breath and looking down. “I just felt the urge to… And he and I were getting along so well… And it just kind of happened.”

“Sex doesn’t just happen,” Willow said in calm tone, studying her friend. “Do you regret it?”

“What do you think?” Buffy asked, closing her eyes when Willow wrapped her arms around her friend. “I don’t know what to do. I mean, last night was nice, and I think it meant something, but it’s way too soon for us to… do things like that. And the way I was acting! I don’t think I’ve ever been that slutty before.”

“Do you like him?” Willow asked, smiling when Buffy nodded. “And you care about him?” Her friend nodded again. “So why don’t you try being with him?”

“I want to, but it will only complicate things,” Buffy said.

“I think sex complicated things enough,” Willow replied. “But if you’re interested in him, you two should date.”

“We work together,” Buffy said, looking at the redhead. “People who work together should never become… intimate.”

“Well, it’s not something you can change,” Willow said, shrugging. “You two were ‘intimate’, and that’s not something you can easily ignore or turn your back on. What’s done is done. You’re both adults, and I’m sure you can figure things out.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Buffy said, giving her a small smile.

“Are you going to talk to him tonight at work?” Willow asked, and Buffy shrugged, opening one of the cases and extracting a cookie, biting into it.

“I don’t think talking at the restaurant would be a good idea,” she said. “Especially since that’s where the majority of the debauchery took place.” Willow’s eyes widened and a red blush tinged her cheeks. “Xander didn’t happen to mention that bit of news to Anya, did he?”

“No,” Willow answered quietly, her jaw somewhat dropped. “If he had, she would’ve told me.” Buffy grabbed another cookie before walking towards the back room, Willow following her. “You slept with Spike at his restaurant?”

“In the kitchen,” Buffy muttered, quickly finishing her second cookie.

“Sounds kinky,” Anya said, overhearing their conversation.

“Can we shift our focus to something else?” Buffy asked, going to a sink and washing her hands. “Let’s make some cheesecakes.”

“Did you and Spike do anything naughty here when we left after the second competition?” Willow asked, looking at her friend.

“Nope, this place hasn’t been tainted,” Buffy said in a light tone before beginning to assemble ingredients, willing her mind to forget about Spike for a while.

* * * * *

Later that day, Buffy walked into A Summers’ Night, ignoring her nerves as best she could as she walked to Spike’s office, knocking on the door and letting herself in. He smiled at her as she walked in, getting up from his seat to hug her.

“Hey, luv,” he said, kissing her forehead. “How are you?”

“Fine,” she said, sitting down on the chair across from his desk, watching him sit down again. “Did Andrew come in tonight?”

“Yeah, his hand is wrapped up,” he answered, shrugging. “He seems to be in good spirits. Apparently he met a guy at a doctor’s office this morning that he’s interested in.”

“Well, good for him,” Buffy said, smirking. “I always thought he had a crush on you.”

“It’s possible- I’m gorgeous,” Spike replied, chuckling when she shot him a look for a moment. “So, what brings you in? How was Joyce’s this morning?”

“Slow, thankfully,” she answered. “But everything went fine.” She took a deep breath. “Can we talk, Spike?”

“Sure,” he said, feeling his face fall as he saw the serious expression settle on her face. “What is it?”

“Last night was… wonderful,” she said, looking at him. “But I think maybe we moved a little too fast.”

“You’re the one who started it,” he said, trying not to sound angry. “I just followed through with it.”

“I know,” she agreed. “I made a few hasty choices, but I… Maybe we should slow down for a while.” At his crestfallen expression, she continued, “It might be best for us.”

“You want to ‘slow down’?” he asked, crossing his arms. “And what would that entail?”

“Starting a relationship,” she answered, looking down. “Dating like normal people do and working our way towards-”

“But we already slept together,” he said, confused. “Are you saying you want to start over and ignore what happened last night?”

“It’s the best idea for us,” she replied.

“Is it?” he asked, becoming upset. “Or is this because you regret it?”

“I don’t… It was just too much too soon,” she answered. “If we want to be a serious couple, we need to start over.”

“I don’t agree,” he said, tilting his head.

“Well, I’m sorry you feel that way,” she said, standing up and going to the door.

“Where are you going?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Home,” she answered, not turning to look at him. “We both have a lot to think about.”

“I know what I want, Buffy,” he said. “And that’s to be with you.”

“I want that, too,” she agreed. “But dating and working together isn’t a good idea.”

“So what are you saying?” he asked, getting up and sitting on the corner of his desk as she looked at him over her shoulder.

“Maybe I should take time off from working here,” she said. “I can make things at Joyce’s and bring them over every other day.”

“I want you here,” he replied sternly, frowning when she opened the door. “Don’t go, pet.”

“I need time, Spike,” she said. “There’s a lot on my mind right now that I need to figure out before we reach an agreement on everything.”

Before he could say anything, she walked out of his office and left the restaurant, not looking back as he called after her.

“Everything alright, boss?” Andrew asked, walking out of the kitchen and seeing Spike.

“I don’t understand women,” he answered, crossing his arms.

“Neither do I,” Andrew said, shrugging. “That’s why I decided I’m gay.”

“If you’re implying that maybe I’m gay, too, you’re bloody wrong,” Spike said, storming into his office and slamming the door.

“Too bad you’re not,” Andrew said quietly, looking away. “Maybe we could’ve had something.”
What She Deserves by Allison
Author's Notes:
Thank you for all of the reviews for the last chapter! I'm sorry it was angsty, but I think it was necessary. There is a lot less Spuffy angst in this chapter, and as far as I know, there isn't a lot more of it throughout the rest of the fic. I hope you continue to enjoy it!:)
Buffy and Spike spent the next few days busying themselves at work, too stubborn to call one another and talk out what was on their minds. Whenever Buffy came to A Summers’ Night to drop off desserts she had made at Joyce’s, Spike would let Xander handle things, watching them from the comfort of his office, pretending to be filling out paperwork.

It was during her third trip to the restaurant after their argument that Spike decided to speak to her, hoping that maybe they could talk before she left. He watched her carry in boxes of cheesecakes before walking over to her and grabbing them, giving her a small smile before taking them to the kitchen, her in tow.

“Hey, Buffy,” Xander said as the two blondes walked into the room. “How’re you?”

“I’m fine,” she answered, watching Spike as he put the cheesecake boxes into a refrigerator and returned to her side. “How are you?”

“Fairly well,” Xander said, shrugging. “Anya and I are getting ready to go away for the weekend.”

“That’s all she’s been talking about,” Buffy said, smiling. “I hope you have a good time.”

“Thanks,” he said, seeing the look Spike gave him before smirking. “Well, I’ll let you two talk.”

“See you later,” Buffy said, giving him a slight wave before he exited the kitchen, noticing that everyone else wasn’t paying attention to them. “So…”

“How’ve you been?” Spike asked, putting his hands in his pockets.

“Well, some days have been better than others,” she said. “You?”

“The same,” he answered, looking down. “Buffy-”

“I don’t want to talk about this here,” she said quietly. “People could hear us.”

“Probably,” he agreed, smiling. “Can we maybe meet up later, then?”

“I can come in tomorrow,” she answered. “With Xander going out of town, maybe it will help to have me fill in.”

“You’re willing to work here again?” he asked, failing to mask his surprise.

“Just to help for the weekend,” she said, looking down. “We’ll see what happens from there.”

“Okay,” he said, nodding and looking away. “Thanks for delivering everything this week. You could’ve opted not to just to spite me.”

“We made a deal,” she replied, raising her eyes to his. “I’m not going to back out of it just because we had a disagreement.”

“I’m happy to hear that,” he said, sighing. “Because I’ve changed my mind about the starting-over thing.” She raised an eyebrow as she heard the sincerity in his tone. “If it’d make you happy, I’m willing to give dating a try, and we can overlook what happened last week… for a while, at least. It won’t be easy for either of us to ignore it, you know. It meant a lot to me.”

“I know what you mean,” she agreed, smiling softly. “We can discuss it more tomorrow.”

“Alright,” he said, taking one of her hands in his and squeezing it as they left the kitchen, escorting her to the front door. “So are we dating, then?”

“Looks like,” she said, kissing his cheek as he opened the door for her. “Bye, Spike.”

“Bye, Buffy,” he replied, smiling at her before she left.

“Looks like you moved on quickly,” a familiar voice said behind him, getting his attention.

Spike slowly turned around as he let the door close, looking at the woman standing in front of him and taking a deep breath to calm the emotions that began to course through him.

“Hello, Lily.”

“Hi, Spike,” she said, smirking at him. “Long time no see.”

“I’m sure that didn’t bother you in the slightest,” he replied, crossing his arms. “What’re you doing here?”

“Just came to check in, see how the new place is doing,” she said, looking around. “I must say that it looks pretty nice in here now. You did a great job with it.”

“Thanks,” he said, studying her. “But I have a feeling you didn’t come to compliment me.”

“No, I didn’t,” she affirmed, sighing. “Dad isn’t too pleased that you renamed the restaurant.”

“Well, it’s mine,” he said, shrugging. “I can do whatever I’d like with it.”

“You could’ve at least told him before you closed it down and reopened it with a new name,” she said, frowning when his eyes darkened.

“And you could’ve told me earlier than you did that you were sleeping with Gunn,” he replied in a low tone. “How’s that going, by the way?”

“We broke up,” she answered, looking down. “We realized that it was only fun when we were being secretive about it.” She paused for a moment. “I want to be with you again, Spike.” He scoffed and began walking away. “Hear me out first.”

“I have someone else now,” he said, turning around. “And I care a lot about her.”

“More than you cared about me?” she asked, happy when he didn’t answer. “We were so good together.”

“You cheated on me,” he shot back, angry. “I don’t want to get back together, Lily. I’m a lot happier now than I was with you.”

“You don’t mean that,” she said, moving closer to hug him, frowning he put a hand up to stop her.

“Yes, I do,” he replied, turning around again. “I’m sorry.”

“Spike!” she called after him, feeling tears form in her eyes as he walked into his office and closed the door.

“I think you had better leave, Lily,” Andrew said, appearing by the kitchen doors, glaring at her. “You’re no longer welcome here.”

“It’s a public place,” she said, narrowing her eyes at him as he took a few steps towards her.

“No one wants you here,” he said sternly. “And if you do anything to hurt either Spike or Buffy, I will personally make sure that you get what you deserve. Understand?”

“You can’t do anything to me,” she replied, amused. “I could do more damage to you than you could ever do to me.”

“Go,” Spike said, opening his office’s door, hearing everything that they had said to each other. “Before I make my own threats.”

Lily turned and stormed out of the building, both men watching her leave.

“You alright?” Spike asked, looking at Andrew.

“Yep,” he answered, smiling. “I’ve wanted to say something like that to her for as long as I can remember.” Spike chuckled and patted his friend on the back. “Can I go out to lunch with Lorne now?”

“Go ahead,” Spike said, smirking. “Are you two dating now?”

“Yes,” Andrew said with a dreamy look in his eyes.

“I’ll have to meet him sometime,” Spike said. “You should bring him in soon.”

“Sure,” Andrew replied. “What about you and Buffy? Are things better now? I saw you two talking before Lily showed up.”

“Yeah,” Spike said, looking down and smiling. “I think things are going to work out nicely from now on.”

* * * * *

That night, Buffy walked into The Little Green Tavern and sat down at the bar, smiling when Rupert sat beside her, ordering a beer for her.

“How are you?” he asked. “You haven’t come by in a while.”

“I had some things to sort out,” she replied, smiling. “But everything’s fine.”

“Did something happen?” he asked, worried.

“Spike and I… had a little argument about something,” she answered, frowning when he smirked. “What?”

“I heard from one of his friends that you two had gotten involved,” he said. “I’ll admit I was hurt that you didn’t tell me first, but-”

“We weren’t exactly ‘involved’,” she cut in, looking down. “We kind of… slept together.” When she didn’t hear a reaction from him, she raised her eyes to his and saw the shock in them before he started laughing. She raised an eyebrow and accepted her beer from the bartender before smacking Giles’ arm. “What’s so funny?”

“You and Spike…” he managed to get out, chuckling harder. “Enemies… sleeping together…”

“It was only one time,” she said before blushing. “Well, only one night- it was definitely more than one time.”

“Hey,” he said, instantly calming down. “I didn’t need to hear any of that.” She giggled and sipped her beer. “What did you argue about?”

“I wanted to slow things down because we were moving too fast,” she answered, sighing. “And he didn’t agree.”

“Do you want me to talk to him?” he asked.

“It’s fine,” she said, waving it off. “I think things are going to work out eventually.”

“Well, I’m happy for you, Buffy,” he said, putting his hand on her back. “You deserve some happiness in life.” He paused. “Even if it’s with Spike.”

As he began laughing again, she shook her head and smirked before standing up and paying for her drink.

“Night, Giles,” she said, ignoring his continued chortling as she left the bar.
Pleasant Surprises by Allison
Author's Notes:
This chapter is very fluffy- I think the fic needs some light-heartedness from now on, but maybe that's just me. The fic is slowly winding down, with tops five chapters left to go. The goal is to finish it within the week, provided people want to see more of it. Thank you to everyone who has read and reviewed so far!:)
When Spike saw Buffy enter his restaurant the next evening, he went to greet her, not expecting to see Willow and Oz behind her.

“Hi, Spike,” Willow said, smiling as she waved to him. “How are you?”

“Pleasantly surprised,” he said, returning her smile. “I didn’t know you were coming in tonight.”

“Well, Oz and I are celebrating our anniversary,” she replied, kissing her boyfriend’s cheek. “We’ve spent one happy year together.”

“Congratulations,” Spike said, grinning and escorting the couple to the host’s stand. “Seat these two at the corner booth so they can enjoy themselves privately.” He winked at Willow before taking Buffy’s hand in his. “Going to join them, pet?”

“And interrupt their night of fun?” she asked. “I’m supposed to work, remember?”

“It’s a slow night,” he said, shrugging. “You won’t have to stay long.” He leaned down to her ear. “Maybe we can talk after you finish up making desserts.”

“Sure,” she said before looking at her friends. “Have a nice time, you two.”

“You, too,” Willow said as she and Oz followed the host to their table, both Spike and Buffy watching them for a moment before walking to the kitchen.

“You seem quiet tonight,” Spike said, looking at her as they went through the double-doors.

“I’ve just been thinking about stuff,” she replied, sighing. “Willow and Oz are lucky.”

“You don’t think we will ever be like they are?” he asked, tilting his head.

“It’s possible,” she said, looking down. “It would be nice.”

“It’s something to look forward to, then,” he said, leaning over to kiss her temple. “Now, get to work.”

“Going to help me tonight?” she asked curiously. “Or are you going to stick in your office all night and pretend I’m not here?”

“So you noticed that, did you?” he asked, smiling sheepishly. “I would’ve talked to you when you stopped to drop off deliveries, but I didn’t know what to say… Xander offered to handle it so I wouldn’t shove my foot in my mouth more.”

“You should give him a raise,” she joked, walking over to her work station, Spike following her.

“Do you want me to help you?” he asked quietly, ignoring the looks some of his employees were giving them.

“As long as it doesn’t turn into a fun-filled whipped cream and chocolate sauce adventure,” she said, grinning. “Because I think a health inspector would be more than willing to shut this place down if we do anything like that again… especially in the kitchen.”

“It’d be worth it,” he said, chuckling when she blushed slightly. “Luv, can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” she said as she opened a refrigerator and pulled out a cheesecake she had dropped off the day before.

“I went to The Little Green Tavern last night after I closed the restaurant,” he said, putting his hands in his pockets. “And the owner requested that we sit down and talk for a while.” She raised an eyebrow as she set the cheesecake down on a counter and turned to face him. “He’s very protective of you, it seems.”

“Well, he’s been in my life for a long time,” she said, shrugging. “We’re very close.”

“How close?” he asked, studying her.

“We’re friends,” she answered, confused by his tone before smiling. “Is it just me, or do you sound jealous?”

“Not jealous,” he said, frowning. “Just concerned.” She giggled and grabbed a bowl of fresh strawberries off of a nearby counter. “What’s so funny?”

“You really have no reason to be ‘concerned’,” she said. “What did you two talk about?”

“You,” he answered, sighing. “He said he’d hunt me down if I ever hurt you.”

“I’m sure he will,” she replied, smirking. “He doesn’t seem too keen on the idea of us dating.”

“No, he doesn’t,” he muttered, watching her cut up the strawberries into slices.

“Hey, Buffy,” Andrew said, walking over to the two blondes and grinning. “Spike told me you were coming in tonight.”

“Thought I might be able to help,” she said, noticing the guy behind him. “Hi, I’m Buffy.”

“Well, aren’t you as cute as a button?” the other man said, smiling. “I’m Lorne.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” she replied, shaking his hand.

“Andrew’s been telling me a lot about you,” Lorne said, turning his attention to Spike. “I’m afraid his descriptions have failed to capture how gorgeous you are.”

“Umm… thanks?” Spike said awkwardly, seeing Buffy’s amused expression and glaring at her for a moment before shaking Lorne’s hand. “Welcome to A Summers’ Night.”

“Is it okay if we go have dinner quickly?” Andrew asked, looking giddy as he waited for Spike’s answer.

“Go ahead,” he said, smirking when Andrew took Lorne’s hand in his and led him out of the kitchen.

“They’re cute together,” Buffy said as she watched them leave.

“As cute as we are?” he asked, looking at her.

“That’s up for debate,” she said, smiling. “I think we might be beating them.”

* * * * *

They spent the next hour working on decorating cheesecakes and slicing them up before Buffy took off the apron she had put on and sighed.

“Finished for the night, Goldilocks?” Spike asked, putting a cheesecake back into one of the refrigerators.

“Yeah,” she said, shrugging. “There should be enough for the rest of the night. I can stop in tomorrow, too.”

“All in the spirit of helping out and picking up Xander’s slack?” he asked, smiling.

“And the fact working alongside you is fun,” she said, returning his smile. “As far as bosses go, you’re a fairly laid-back one.”

“Well, I like to make my employees happy,” he replied, lowering his head a little, their lips now inches apart. “Especially a certain blonde one.”

“That one waitress? Harmony?” she asked, pouting. “She’s not nice to me.”

“That’s because she’s jealous,” he replied, pressing his lips to hers for a brief kiss.

“Buffy, your friend Willow is requesting to see you,” Andrew said, peeking his head in through the door. “She seems very excited, even though I think she’s been crying. And tell her I think the ring she’s wearing is gorgeous.”

“What ring?” Buffy asked, confused.

“The one on her left hand,” Andrew said, raising an eyebrow. “Didn’t you see it?”

“No,” she answered before her eyes widened. “Oh my god.”

“What?” Spike asked, worried, running his hand over her back.

“I think Willow and Oz just got engaged,” she said quietly, her eyes beginning to fill with tears.

“We should go congratulate them, then,” he replied, grinning.

“Yes, of course,” she said, the shocked haze in her brain dispersing as he looked at him, a wide smile forming on her face. “They’re engaged, Spike!”

“We don’t even know for sure yet,” he said, smirking. “Why don’t we wait for them to tell us?”

“Don’t you dare ruin my fun,” she replied, quickly walking to the kitchen’s doors.

“Wouldn’t think of it,” he said, following her out into the main part of the restaurant and over towards Willow and Oz’s booth.

Before they could get there, Willow stood up and practically ran over to Buffy, hugging her as tears streamed down her cheeks.

“I’m engaged!” she said, nearly bouncing as she showed her friend the ring Oz had given her.

“Congratulations!” Buffy replied, feeling a tear escape the corner of one of her eyes as she walked over to the table to hug Oz. “I knew you were going to do something special tonight- I just couldn’t figure out what exactly it would be.”

“Well, I am a man of mystery,” he said with a hint of a smile on his lips.

“Congratulations, Red,” Spike said, surprised when she hugged him, awkwardly patting her back before she pulled away from him. “I’ll go get a bottle of champagne for you.”

“Thanks,” she replied, smiling as she walked to the table and sat down beside Oz, kissing him.

Buffy saw Spike walk to the bar before he returned with a bucket filled with ice and the bottle of champagne he mentioned, a waitress following him with a small stand for the bucket and two champagne flutes.

“If there’s anything else you need, just let us know,” Spike said, watching as the waitress cautiously uncorked the champagne, not wanting it to spray too much, if at all.

Spike moved closer to Buffy and took her hand in his, gently squeezing it and noticing the look on her face.

“Everything alright?” he asked quietly.

“I want that someday,” she said, watching Willow and Oz kiss as their waitress filled their champagne flutes.

“With me?” he asked, feeling his heartbeat quicken when she giggled and looked at him before turning to walk away. He raised an eyebrow before following her, getting ahead of her to block the kitchen doors in an attempt to stop her.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, sighing when he frowned. “Spike, we haven’t known each other that long, and technically we’ve only been dating for a day. The thought of getting married isn’t one that either of us should be having for a very long time.”

“True,” he agreed. “But is the thought of marrying me years down the road that inconceivable?”

“Maybe,” she said, winking at him. “Maybe not.”

“You’re a tease, Summers,” he replied, wrapping his arms around her.

“Yes, I am,” she affirmed, leaning up to kiss him.
Chocolate, A Symbol of Devotion by Allison
Author's Notes:
I know I said there were a few more chapters left, but I realized the other night that Chapter 17 would've been a fairly good ending point for the story. That being said, I opted to write an epilogue, which is below. I'm sorry if the quick ending of the fic bothers anyone, but really, the characters evolved into what I wanted them to, everyone is happy, and throwing in angst suddenly to add to the story would just be prolonging it, which isn't necessary. Thank you to everyone who has read and reviewed- your continued support and enjoyment mean a lot! I hope you enjoy the epilogue:)
One Year Later

The day before Willow and Oz’s wedding, Buffy and Spike left the rehearsal dinner and went to Spike’s apartment, anxious to relax after a stressful day of helping their friends with last-minute wedding details.

Buffy immediately walked to his couch and sat down, sighing with relief that they were free from having to help more for the day, simply wanting to spend time alone together without having to deal with the burdens of being the maid of honor for her friend.

“Want a drink, luv?” Spike asked, heading to his kitchen when he saw her nod vigorously. “Just think- by Sunday, you won’t be nearly as stressed anymore.”

“Yes, but then we have Xander and Anya’s wedding in a couple of months,” she replied, looking down at her hands, folded in her lap.

Spike noticed how sad she suddenly seemed and frowned, grabbing a beer bottle for her and walking to the couch, sitting down beside her. She gave him a small smile when he took off the bottle cap for her before handing her the bottle.

“What’s got you so down?” he asked curiously, running his hand over her hair.

“I’m just so tired,” she replied, looking at him. “Between running around this week to do errands for Willow, slaving at Joyce’s to finish her wedding cake, and helping out at the restaurant, I think I’ve had about as much as I can take.” She took a sip of her beer and shrugged. “I guess I just need a break.”

“Well, maybe we can go on a vacation soon,” he replied. “We both could use one.”

“Yeah, we could,” she agreed. “Our own private getaway.”

“Where would you like to go?” he asked. “Any particular place you fancy?”

“I’ve always wanted to go to New York,” she said in a hopeful tone.

“Been there, done that,” he said, smirking when she pouted. “How about somewhere more romantic?”

“You want to go somewhere romantic?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. “What did you have in mind?”

“I don’t know,” he said, taking a deep breath. “Maybe Paris… or London.”

“Take me to England,” she said, smiling. “I’d love to see where you grew up.”

“I’d love to show you,” he replied, putting his hand on hers after leaning over to kiss her. “Maybe you will like it so much that you’ll want to move there.”

“All by myself?” she asked, batting her eyelashes at him as he chuckled.

“Don’t think I want you alone in that city,” he said. “Foreign men always like American girls.”

“That’s because we’re wild,” she replied, yawning and smirking when he nodded, laughing.

“Yeah, you’re as wild as a goldfish,” he joked, not surprised when she slapped his arm.

“You know that’s not true,” she said. “Do you not remember what happened in the kitchen at the restaurant last year?”

“Last year?” he asked, grinning. “Or the other night?”

That wasn’t my fault,” she replied, crossing her arms. “You’re the one who seduced me, pal.”

“Not like you were complaining about it,” he said. “You loved every minute of it.”

“Always do,” she said, stretching out on the couch, resting her feet on his lap. “Spike, I’m hungry.”

“We just ate, Goldilocks,” he replied, quirking an eyebrow.

“Yeah, but I want dessert,” she said, yawning again. “Do you still have some of that chocolate cake I made, or did you finish it?”

“I saved one slice, just for you,” he said, standing up and going back to the kitchen to get it.

“Aww, you’re such a prince,” she replied, watching him walk away.

“Not a prince,” he said, loud enough for her to hear him. “Just whipped.”

“So true,” she said, smiling. “You should be happy we’re talking metaphorically about being whipped, honey.”

“That I am,” he said, opening his refrigerator and taking out the leftover cake, putting it on a plate and shielding it from her view with his body, reaching into his pocket to extract something that had been bothering him ever since he left his apartment earlier that day. “Doesn’t change the fact you’re still kinky, kitten.”

“Not half as bad as you,” she replied. “I think you may have the whole Kama Sutra memorized.”

“It’s entirely possible,” he said, leaving the kitchen, the plate in his hand. He watched as she sat upright, not looking at him, before he came to kneel down in front of her, holding the plate out to her.

“What’re you-” she began, cutting herself off when she saw the platinum engagement ring seated in the center, on top of a layer of chocolate frosting. “Spike?”

“Buffy,” he said quietly, studying her eyes, his heart beating even quicker when he didn’t see any change in them. “I love you, and I know that that will never change. I want to spend the rest of my life with you- here, in London, wherever- and there’s no one I would rather be with than you.” He took a steadying breath to calm down his nerves. “Will you marry me?”

“No,” she said after a very long pause, her eyes never straying from the ring.

“No?” he asked, feeling as if all of the air in his body had escaped him.

“No,” she affirmed, shaking her head and looking at him, tears beginning to form in her eyes. “You don’t get to propose like this! I like chocolate, but I don’t want my ring covered in it.” He raised an eyebrow as she gingerly took the ring off of the slice of cake and studied it. “I think there’s chocolate under the diamond, between the settings. I’m going to have to clean this off now.”

“Buffy?” he asked, not knowing how to react. “Are you saying yes or no, pet?”

“Do you really think I’d say no?” she asked, grinning at him as she licked off some of the chocolate on her ring, surprised when he put the plate down and wrapped his arms around her, kissing her, relieved that she had said yes. “I cannot believe you just proposed.”

“I’ve been waiting to for weeks,” he said, shrugging. “Lorne and Andrew convinced me that it’s due time.” She smiled and handed him the ring. “Want me to go wash this off?”

“Put it on me,” she said, grinning. “We can clean it off later.”

“Oh, I think we’ll be quite busy later,” he replied, taking her left hand in his and sliding the ring onto her ring finger before bringing her hand to his lips and kissing it. “Think you can wear that forever?”

“Yes,” she said, leaning forward to kiss him. “After we get it cleaned.”

“That can come later,” he said, taking her hands in his and standing up, wiggling his eyebrows. “But I was thinking maybe we could come first.”

“You are such a dirty man,” she replied, giggling when he picked her up and carried her towards his bedroom.

“Yeah, but that’s one of the things you love about me,” he said, smirking.

“Spike, when we get married, do we have to rename the restaurant again?” she asked curiously, surprised when he looked at her with a puzzled expression.

“Is that really what’s on your mind right now?” he asked, entering his room and laying her down on the bed. When she nodded, he sighed and shrugged. “No, it can stay the way it is. Was part of the deal, after all, and I don’t want people to think I have commitment issues, changing the name on a constant basis.”

“You better not have commitment issues,” she joked, looking at her engagement ring. “Otherwise this is coming off a lot earlier than we planned.”

“Not going to leave you or ever stop loving you,” he said, laying down beside her and kissing her softly. “Is that alright with you?”

“I think I can handle that,” she answered quietly, resting her head on his chest and smiling contently.


The End
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=14348