Deadly Obsession by Ashlee
Summary: Season 1 – Post The Harvest but extremely AU after that. A vampire who needed something that he never knew he wanted. A Slayer who must come to terms with who she is. A vicious twist of fate. She thought the worst was behind her… she thought she’d averted any danger… she thought wrong.
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 16417 Read: 20933 Published: 11/01/2005 Updated: 02/16/2007

1. Obsessive Intentions by Ashlee

2. Enthralled Emotions by Ashlee

3. Stalking Darkness by Ashlee

4. Self Preservation by Ashlee

5. Fighting Another Battle by Ashlee

6. Craving a Taste by Ashlee

7. Spiraling by Ashlee

8. You've Only Just Begun by Ashlee

9. The Price of Loyalty by Ashlee

Obsessive Intentions by Ashlee
Author's Notes:
This was written for the Livejournal community seven_seasons.

The closer we get to Christmas, the slower my updates will be (you all know how it is) but I'm going to try for at least one chapter a week of each fic. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em will be finished soon, anyway. I hope you like this one!
Deadly Obsession



Chapter 1 – Obsessive Intentions


“We've prevented the Master from freeing himself and opening the Mouth of Hell. That's not to say he's going to stop trying. I'd say the fun is just beginning,” Giles said dryly.

“More vampires?” Willow asked in disbelief as they all stopped walking.

“Not just vampires,” Giles said with a slight shake of his head. “The next threat we face may be something quite different.”

“I can hardly wait!” Buffy replied in a peppy voice, idly sucking on her lollipop.

“We're at the center of a mystical convergence here. We may, in fact, stand between the Earth and its total destruction,” Giles said, staring at the girl in front of him, unable to believe that the weight of the world rested on her young shoulders.

“Well, I gotta look on the bright side. Maybe I can still get kicked out of school,” she said in a hopeful tone, turning away from Giles, ignoring his reproachful look.

“Oh, yeah, that's a plan. ‘Cause lots of schools aren't on Hellmouths,” Xander said, walking as close to Buffy as he dared.

“Maybe you could blow something up,” Willow chipped in. “They're really strict about that.”

“I was thinking of a more subtle approach,” Buffy said thoughtfully. “You know, like excessive not studying.”

“The Earth is doomed,” Giles muttered, turning away from the group.

“Hey, what do you ladies say we Bronze it tonight?” Xander asked, turning around to walk backwards, clutching his backpack in his hands.

“Sounds good to me,” Buffy said, seeing Willow nod in return. “Maybe tonight there won’t be an evil vampire set upon ending the world. That was a real downer.”

* * * * *

“How goes the plan of excessive not studying?” Xander asked later that night, passing out drinks to the two girls at the table.

“Well, I’m here with my friends, living a fun life of doing absolutely nothing – I think it’s going pretty good,” Buffy said with a smile, taking a sip of her drink.

“Major bonus to relaxing – no vampires tonight,” Willow added.

“Yeah, I…” Buffy trailed off, frowning as a powerful feeling seemed to overwhelm her. She felt incapacitated as it swept over her, hating the twinge of fear that raced up and down her spine.

“Something wrong?” Willow asked, noticing how Buffy had immediately straightened, becoming a little more in tune with her surroundings.

“I… I don’t know,” she said, looking around the interior of the club. “There’s something… but I don’t even know what I’m feeling,” she admitted grudgingly, remembering Giles’ words to her.

“The point is, a Slayer should be able to see them anyway. Without looking, without thinking. Can you tell me if there's a vampire in this building?”

“Maybe…”


She felt it now. Something she’d never felt before, not even when she faced off with Lothos. “You guys… stay here,” Buffy murmured.

“Need help, Buffster?” Xander asked, already making a move to stand up.

“No!” she said, more forcefully than she intended. “No, just… just stay here.”

“Buffy, if it’s something you need help with-”

“What I need is for you to stay here,” she said, feeling as if someone was watching her as she stood up. “You’re safe…er,” she added as an afterthought, walking through the Bronze, trying to figure out the source of what she was feeling.

Wandering around the club for several minutes, Buffy soon grew tired of the cat and mouse game that she was playing with the unknown predator. Deciding to lure him out, she walked to the exit of the club and pushed the door open, letting it slam against the brick wall as the cooler air hit her face.

Leaning against the wall when the door closed behind her, Buffy waited until it opened again, sucking in a sharp breath when the overwhelming feeling swept over her again, causing her to clutch her stake more tightly in her hand, needing some form of security to hold on to.

Buffy could feel something approaching, watching the door intently as she waited.

“Lost, kitten?”

Spinning around at the sound of the voice, Buffy’s breath caught in her throat when she saw the man behind her. “Do I look lost?” she retaliated, more than a little irritated that someone had managed to scare her.

“Staring at the door as if you could open it by sheer force of will, I’m guessing there’s something not quite right with that picture.”

“No, I’m not lost,” she said, her tone calming slightly. “And you are?”

“William,” he replied, appearing to be amused about something.

“William,” she repeated, noting that the name didn’t seem to fit who he was. “And what’s your nickname?” she asked, smiling when he looked at her with a raised eyebrow, trying not to notice the boyish good looks, contradicted by the scar that sliced through his eyebrow. The way he seemed to be focused solely on her.

“What makes you think I have a nickname?” he replied, taking a step toward her.

“I have a spidey sense about these things.”

Buffy watched as he slowly approached her, inhaling sharply when he pushed her into the wall behind her, his hands pressed to the wall on each side of her face, leaning in close. “Spike.”

The simple word seemed to roll off his tongue, slamming into Buffy’s gut like a ton of bricks. Giles’ lectures over the last couple of days, the books she’d been forced to read when hearing about the Harvest, the threats of a possible apocalypse if it came to pass…

“You’re him,” she whispered in disbelief, feeling paralyzed with fear.

“And who would he be?” Spike asked quietly, knowing exactly who she was talking about, enjoying watching her squirm.

“You’re the Master,” she choked out, wishing that she could do something to defend herself, wanting to always be on the offensive and not the low end of defense, especially in her current situation.

“Never much cared for titles,” he said with a smirk. “But feel free to call me Master anytime, love.”

“How…?”

“You’re wondering how I ended up free, are you?” he replied, never moving an inch, obviously enjoying the scent of fear that was practically radiating off of her.

“I think I covered that with the ‘how’,” she replied, getting a tiny amount of her bravado back as she looked up at him.

“Yeh… well… seems your rescue mission the other night didn’t work out the way you wanted. Which, in turn, worked out nicely for me,” he added with a smug smile.

“But… but I killed him,” she whispered, almost talking to herself, unable to wrap her mind around the fact that the most powerful vampire on record was standing with his hands inches from her throat and she wasn’t dead yet.

“Not before I was already free, Goldilocks,” Spike replied in a bored tone, idly running his tongue along his bottom lip as he studied her. “You know… I was going to add another Slayer to my collection tonight. Figured I may as well make it quick for you since you were so kind as to inadvertently free me from that underground prison.” Buffy trembled as she looked into the clear blue eyes, seeing nothing reflected in their depths as he slowly moved his hand over her hair. “But,” Spike continued, tilting his head to look at her. “I think it may be more fun to play with you a bit.”

“I don’t like games,” Buffy replied, surprised at the strength in her voice.

“Lucky for us,” he whispered, leaning in close until his lips were nearly brushing against hers. “There’s more at stake here than a simple game.”

Buffy swallowed, nearly closing her eyes when she felt him move even closer to her before he pushed away from the wall. Refocusing on her surroundings, she looked each way, searching for where he’d gone, becoming more disconcerted when she didn’t see a trace that could’ve proved he’d even been standing there.

As if he didn’t exist.

But she knew he did. The trembling was just beginning to set in as she took in a shaky breath, her chaotic thoughts giving her an instant headache as her stomach flipped in trepidation.

The Master was free. It was her fault. And now he’d set his sights on her.
Enthralled Emotions by Ashlee
Chapter 2 – Enthralled Emotions


“The Master is free?” Giles said in disbelief. “You talked to him… You actually communicated with him and then… walked away?”

“No, I’m standing here dead,” Buffy said, rolling her eyes as she hopped up onto the library table, giving her Watcher an annoyed glare.

“For all I know, you could have been turned-”

“Giles, I’m sitting in the sunlight. Even if I was a vampire, I wouldn’t be stupid. But here’s the sitch – I’m here, I’m alive, and for some reason he didn’t try to kill me last night. I have no idea where his twisted mind is going or what he has planned for me. For all I know, he is planning on turning me.”

“It’s entirely possible. I mean, by all rights, you should be dead – the Master isn’t one to leave people alive… especially not Slayers.”

“Hey, Encyclopedia Brown, I got all this. You wanna be a little more helpful in the ‘Slayer Wants to Live’ category?”

“I-I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful, Buffy, it’s just… this is so unprecedented,” he said, unable to stop the excited smile from lighting up his face.

“Well, I’m glad you think that Buffy’s impending death is so thrilling, but you know, I think I’d rather not die, so can we hit research mode?”

“Y-yes, of course,” Giles said, slipping easily into his Watcher demeanor.

“I can’t get over it,” Xander said, staring at the ground. “A vampire – an actual living, breathing vampire - got close to Buffy and he’s not dust.”

“Actually he’s not living or breathing,” Buffy said, throwing a book in his direction, a little harder than necessary as her irritation grew. She was growing more resentful toward her new friend – he had no idea what it took to actually slay a vampire.

“And he’s more than just a vampire,” Giles said, directing his attention to Willow and Xander. “The Master is… Well, he’s a bit unorthodox… even by vampire standards.”

“Meaning…?” Buffy asked, looking at him expectantly.

“He’s slightly over four hundred years old,” he continued, flipping through the pages of the book in his hands. “Young, to have the title of The Master. He’s faced as many as five Slayers, possibly more. There are accounts of Slayers from over a century ago who mysteriously died. Strangely no vampire took credit for these deaths-”

“Like a vampire popularity contest?” Willow asked in confusion.

“Precisely,” Giles said with a nod. “To kill a Slayer is the highest honor for a vampire. Forgive me, Buffy,” he added, realizing that she might be affected by the conversation. “There’s only one on record who has not openly bragged about the Slayers he has killed – William the Bloody.”

“And that’s the Master?” Xander asked.

“Yes,” Giles said with a nod. “The Master, William the Bloody, and Spike are all one and the same. I’m not sure if he has any other aliases.”

“Does he have any girlfriends?”

All eyes in the room turned to Willow, staring at her in disbelief. The redhead quickly shrank beneath their looks, nervously fidgeting with her hands. “Not like I’m asking for me, personally, but he was stuck down there for almost fifty years, right?”

“He was,” Giles confirmed, still not seeing where she was going with this.

“Well… vampires, from what I gathered from reading a couple of Anne Rice novels, they view se… I mean - making love as a big deal, right?”

“Please tell me you’re going somewhere with this,” Buffy said, a shocked expression on her face.

“I’m just saying… you know… being trapped down there for fifty years. His first night out on the town and he meets you… maybe…”

“It wasn’t his fangs doing the thinking,” Buffy filled in, swallowing heavily as she spun around to face Giles. “We have to come up with a solution to this – stat.”

“Here’s a solution: Buffy finds, Buffy slays, we all party,” Xander said, clapping his hands together.

“I’m afraid it’s not that simple,” Giles said, readjusting his glasses as he continued reading from a thick tome.

“Is it ever?” Buffy mumbled, getting to her feet and walking toward the door.

“Buffy-”

“I’m fine,” she said, spinning around to face the group, forcing a smile to her lips. “Just water fountain bound. Be back before you know I was gone.”

Turning away, she let the worried look cross her face again as she pushed her way through the double doors of the library.

“Willow, perhaps you should…” Giles trailed off, gesturing toward the entrance.

“I’m on it,” she said, quickly following after her friend. Walking into the hallway, she looked around, seeing the doors of the school shutting.

Buffy leaned against the side of the school, lightly banging her head against the bricks, barely noticing when the door opened beside her.

“You okay?”

Not bothering to look at her friend, Buffy shrugged.

“It’s okay if you’re not. I know I wouldn’t be handling it too well if an all-powerful vampire set his sights on me… or… if any vampire set his sights on me,” she amended, frowning slightly.

“There is a wiggy factor,” Buffy said, taking a deep breath before turning to Willow. “It’s just… Yeah, I mean, he was powerful. I could practically feel the power coming off of him, but…” she trailed off, looking around as she nervously licked her lips. “When I first saw him… Yeah, there was the obligatory irritated feeling – ‘hey, this guy managed to sneak up behind me, the Slayer’ – but there was also this tingly feeling, like, ‘hey, I hope this guy isn’t a member of the undead variety’.”

“What? You thought a vampire... a master vampire... was hot?” Willow asked in disbelief.

Buffy swallowed nervously. “I know it sounds majorly freaky, but Wills, if you’d seen him…”

“Scale of one to ten, what’s the hotness?” Willow asked, her mouth dropping open when Buffy bit her lip and shot her friend a knowing look out of the corner of her eye. “Buffy Summers!”

“I’m sorry!” she cried with a smile, not sounding sorry at all. “It’s not like I want to jump him or anything, but the eyes and the cheekbones and the strength… My God, Willow, the strength – it nearly knocked me over just by standing next to him and I just… It’s not like I get to have this feeling a lot. Slayer here – there’s not a lot of stuff out there that gives me the tinglies and can show power over me. But when it hit me…”

“You sure it wasn’t some kind of thrall?”

“Maybe,” Buffy said, her good mood practically evaporating at the mention of something mystically causing her to feel this way. “What if it is?” she asked, looking down at her hands as she nervously toyed with her thumbnail. “Would it still be affecting me the next day? When I’m not even around him?”

“I don’t know,” Willow said regretfully. Glancing at the door, she motioned to it. “Guess we should be getting inside,” she said, seeing Buffy nod in agreement.

The two girls walked into the library, seeing Giles and Xander discussing something.

“Oh, Buffy, I’m glad you two are back. We found a somewhat recent photograph of Spike,” Giles said, holding it up for the two girls.

Buffy and Willow exchanged a knowing look before Willow turned back to the image Giles was holding. “Kind of young looking,” Willow said, suppressing a smile as Buffy nodded in agreement. “Definitely not thrall,” she whispered to Buffy, seeing Giles and Xander looking at the two of them curiously when they giggled.

“What was that?” Xander asked.

Buffy managed to keep an innocent expression on her face as she gestured to the photograph. “Very… masterly.”

* * * * *

“What do we know about this Slayer?” Spike asked, walking through the mansion that he’d taken over the night before.

“She’s young,” one of his minions responded. “Hasn’t even been slaying for a year. She’ll be gone in no time.”

Spike raised an eyebrow, turning toward the other man. “That right? The girl who killed Lothos, Thomas, and Luke in less than a month won’t be any trouble to take out?”

The question obviously didn’t need an answer as Spike continued to walk through the mansion.

“And Angelus?”

“He’s, uh… he’s actually… kind of helping the Slayer,” another minion said hesitantly.

Everyone around him jumped in surprise when Spike started chuckling, unable to control his laughter. “Oh, that is priceless,” he said, looking up at the ceiling. “Well, he always did have a thing for the younger ones.”

“Shall we find him for you, sir?”

“No,” Spike said, grabbing a pack of cigarettes and walking toward the stairs. “He’ll find us, soon enough. Not like I want to see the poncey bugger anytime soon.”

“What shall we do in the meantime, Master?”

Spike sighed, rubbing his eyes in frustration, wishing that he could go one night without issuing orders to the idiots. “Find out everything there is to know about this Slayer,” he said, his face shifting as he turned around and faced the minions all nervously watching him. “Everything.”






Thanks so much to: NEO_trinityknot, veronica, Mac1, spufette, confused, BuffyandSpikeForever, riam, Carrie, jenny, momzilla, Cordykitten, mjspuff, Riahannon, Chelsea, phantomwriter & Crystal Pegasus for reviewing!
Stalking Darkness by Ashlee
Author's Notes:
Now that I know how to do links, I wanted to say a huge thank you to Selene2 for making the beautiful banner and matching icon for this fic!
Chapter 3 – Stalking Darkness


“It’s not like I’m gonna get way extra-curricular with it, like I told Giles – it’s just for fun,” Buffy said, practically skipping through the cemetery as Willow followed her, wanting to get to know her new friend – and her new friend’s not-so-chosen profession – a little better.

“Well, that’s good. I-I mean, I think you need something besides killing the towns already dead.”

“Undead,” Buffy corrected with a smile. “And I think I flubbed the auditions, anyway,” she added with a shrug.

“Oh, Buffy, don’t say that. I’m sure you did great. Coordination is practically in your blood.”

“Yeah, but there’s a big difference between coordination and trying to control Slayer strength. I felt like Little Miss Spaz out there when I launched that girl into the air.”

“But… isn’t that what you were supposed to do?”

“Yeah, with the help of two other girls my size. Little ol’ Buffy just decided to throw her into the air without the help of her teammates. The girl nearly touched the ceiling. Of the gym.”

“I’m sure it wasn’t that bad,” Willow said, suppressing a smile.

“It was worse than that bad,” Buffy said, turning toward her friend, walking sideways as they continued through the cemetery. “The cheerleading sponsor wants me tested for steroids!”

Willow couldn’t stop the laughter as she nearly doubled over, listening to her friend.

“I tried to tell them that considering a girl had just spontaneously combusted, my adrenaline was in the red zone since I saved her life, but did they listen? No, of course not. So now, I have to take the stupid test, show them that I’m relatively normal, and then sit back and accept my fate of not making the squad.”

“Don’t you think you’re being a little overdramatic?” Willow asked with a smile.

Buffy sheepishly glanced at the ground for a minute as they walked. “Okay, maybe a little. It’s not like cheerleading is the be-all, end-all of my existence, but… I’d like to be able to do something normal in my life, you know? Something that doesn’t require stakes and holy water and darkness and cemeteries. Something where I can be peppy and energetic and in the light. I think that’s what I miss the most – being who I used to be.”

“Who did you used to be?” Willow asked.

“Carefree,” she said without thinking. “I think the appropriate word would be ‘ditzy’, but I definitely didn’t wander around worrying about my calling.”

“You don’t seem too worried now,” Willow said gently.

“I’m not,” Buffy said quickly. “Most of the time. But…” Trailing off for a moment, she wondered how much she could tell her new friend, knowing that she could trust her, but there was a big difference in asking her to keep the secret that she was the Slayer and asking her to keep all of her secrets. “Every now and then, it just kind of hits me – I come with an expiration date on the package. One that’s much closer than I ever…”

Buffy paused, frowning as she looked around.

“What’s wrong?” Willow asked, nervously following her friend’s gaze, knowing that she was missing something big on a very basic level.

“Nothing,” she murmured, her eyes scanning the shadows. “I don’t… it’s nothing,” she said in a cheerful voice, shaking her head. “So… tell me the real story behind you and Xander.”

* * * * *

Spike stood in the shadows, carefully observing the Slayer as she walked through the cemetery with her redheaded friend, chatting about mundane things that meant nothing to him. Although he did have to suppress a smile when he heard that she’d nearly thrown a girl into the ceiling.

Following at a safe distance, he knew that she would be able to feel him if he got too close to her. Even though she was extremely young and inexperienced, she would know when he, of all vampires, was around.

Slowly stalking through the trees on the edge of the cemetery, he studied the Slayer. There was something different about this one. Any Slayer that he’d faced in the past had been all business, uncaring about anything except their calling. He’d rid the world of five of them before his imprisonment underground. It had all been in good fun. Amusing for him to seek out the next Chosen One.

This little girl didn’t strike a note of terror in his undead heart, but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t be a worthy opponent. It would be fun playing with this one before moving in for the final blow. Testing her strengths and weaknesses. Watching her grown and evolve, seeing who she could have a chance to become. But never would be.

Spike smiled at the thought before catching a part of their conversation.

“I think that’s what I miss the most – being who I used to be.”

Taking a step closer, he listened to the redhead ask what she meant. A slight smirk settled on his lips when he heard the Slayer describe herself as ditzy. ‘Haven’t exactly lost that quality, Goldilocks,’ he thought, stepping even closer to the pair as they continued their conversation.

“Every now and then, it just kind of hits me – I come with an expiration date on the package. One that’s much closer than I ever…”

Seeing her expression completely change, Spike’s eyes darkened as her gaze slowly slid over to where he was standing. Safely concealed in the shadows, he did nothing more than watch with interest as she changed from schoolgirl to predator with the simple turn of her head.

His eyes never left the Slayer as she assured her friend that it was nothing, never taking her eyes away from where he was standing.

* * * * *

Buffy quickly walked the few blocks to her house after making sure Willow got into her room alright. She couldn’t shake the feeling of someone following her, and she had a pretty good idea who that someone was.

Breathing a sigh of relief when she saw her house in the distance, Buffy debated about walking into it. If it was the Master, or one of his minions doing homework on her, did she really want them to know where she lived? Shaking her head as she continued walking, Buffy knew that if they really wanted to find her, she was in the book. It wouldn’t be that hard for them to track her down.

Jogging up the front steps of her porch, she worried her bottom lip for a moment, wondering if she should wait outside for her mother to return safely home from work. Unlocking the front door, she paused when she felt that overwhelming sense of power. The feeling that she’d giddily told Willow about just days earlier. A feeling that had excited her now left her more than a little terrified when faced with it again.

Slowly turning around, she stared into the distance, trying to focus on where the feeling was coming from. A movement in the shadows near the tree caught her attention. Without turning her head, her eyes moved over to see Spike calmly step out from behind the tree. Hands in his pockets, relaxed stance, deadly intent in his eyes. She felt a shiver of fear go through her, swallowing nervously as she continued to watch him.

Inhaling sharply when a menacing hint of a smile formed on his lips, his eyes narrowed on hers, causing Buffy’s to widen in reaction. Their gazes stayed locked together for long moments, neither wanting to look away first. Buffy swallowed as he backed away, disappearing into the shadows of the house, his gaze never leaving hers until it appeared that he faded into the black.

Quickly turning around, Buffy practically threw her weight against the door in her haste to get inside, slamming it shut behind her. Even in the safety of her own home, she didn’t feel safe.

Practically trembling as she looked toward the windows in the dining room, she could almost feel his eyes watching her every move.






Thanks so much to: spuffette, riam, slinkyPK, romero, Noelle, Cordykitten, phantomwriter, NEO_trinityknot, Laura & BuffyandSpikeForever for reviewing!
Self Preservation by Ashlee
Author's Notes:
This might be my last update of one of my WIPs this week - if it is: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Chapter 4 – Self Preservation


“You’re not understanding the severity of this, Giles,” Buffy said, hastily following after him as he walked into the library. “I’m being stalked by some creature of the night – by the creature of the night, and you’re barely even batting an eyelash. This is a predicament. A full-fledged, in over my head, submerged in hell, swimming in a sea of chaos-”

“Leaning a little too closely to the overdramatic side of life,” Giles filled in.

“Giles!”

“Buffy, I know that you want some fairly straightforward answers, but I’m afraid I just don’t have those to give. I wish I could, and contrary to what you may think, I do understand the importance of the situation. But I’m afraid that there’s not much I can tell you, aside from the standard ‘be careful’.”

“You’re just the origin of all Watcherly knowledge, aren’t you?” she replied dryly. “So, I just patrol as if I’m not being followed by some crazed Dracula wannabe and continue with business as usual?”

“That basically sums it up, yes,” he said with a nod and an apologetic smile.

“Where do I go to apply for a new Watcher?” she asked with a pout, crossing her arms over her chest as Giles smiled condescendingly.

“England.”

* * * * *

Slamming her fist into the fledgling’s nose, Buffy smirked when he sprang back, obviously intent on taking down the Slayer. “Get over yourself,” she said with a roll of her eyes. “You’re not gonna take me. It would actually be better for all of us if you tried to run. Better for me because I would get more of a cardiovascular workout,” she continued, kicking his legs out from under him, keeping up her absentminded, one-sided conversation. “And better for you because you’d get another ten seconds of seeing your pitiful excuse for a life flash before your eyes.” Idly twirling her stake, she shook her head with a put-upon sigh when he moved to stand up. “No? It’s a pretty good offer, if I do say so myself, but oh well…” Trailing off as she thrust the stake into his chest, Buffy smiled, watching the vampire disintegrate in front of her.

“Can’t say I didn’t warn him,” she said with a shake of her head, walking through the cemetery, looking for her next fight. “Gee, new girl moves to town and none of the vamps wanna come out and play,” she said to herself.

No sooner were the words out of her mouth than a feeling of dread seemed to wash over her, letting her know exactly what she’d become accustomed to – that she was being watched. Her first instinct was still to run. Survival of the fittest, and judging by the power that he seemed to have over her, she wasn’t the fittest. But another part of her didn’t like the idea of staying holed up in her house while some creature of the night stalked her from the shadows.

Turning around, she scanned the tombstones, trying to get a glimpse of him. “Master or no Master,” she muttered to herself. “This bit is getting old.” Backtracking a few steps, she sighed when she felt him move behind her. “You know, this whole ‘hiding in the shadows’ routine you’ve got going… it’s really not working in your favor.”

“Why’s that, love?”

Slowly turning to face him, Buffy felt a shiver run down her spine when she saw his eyes on her.

“Because it’s really pissing me off,” she replied, trying to control the sharp intake of air when he slowly walked toward her as she kept her eyes leveled on his. “Don’t you want to see what it’s like to take on the Slayer?” she asked, praying to whatever higher being that might be listening that he wouldn’t take her up on her offer.

Spike smiled a slow, deceptive smile as he looked her up and down. Buffy wasn’t sure whether he was sizing up his opponent or his prey.

“I’ve taken on more than my share,” he replied, seeing her eyes widen slightly. It was the only visible reaction he got from her, but he could hear her heart pounding loudly against her chest, letting him know exactly how she was affected by his presence.

“That a fact?” she asked, keeping her calm exterior as she watched him. “Did you stalk all of them, too?”

Spike chuckled, seeing her eyes widen in response. “No, pet. Sought them out, toyed with them a bit, then went in for the final blow. Pity you’re as overconfident as they were.”

“Why? Because you’re the Master?” she asked, emphasizing the word sarcastically. “You seem to forget one little thing…”

“Care to enlighten me?” he asked in amusement.

“The Slayer is designed to take you down,” she said in a cold voice, her jaw tightening when Spike began to laugh.

“In theory, yeh,” he said with a smile that quickly turned more menacing. “But only in theory.”

“Why aren’t you fighting me?” she asked in frustration, not having any desire to fight this monster but knowing that these nightly visits were going to continue until she figured out a way to work them to her advantage.

“You’re not ready yet,” he said in a low voice, still walking toward her.

Buffy instinctively took a few steps back out of self-preservation when he continued walking toward her. “Ready for what?” she asked, moderately proud of herself that her voice didn’t seem to convey the fear that she was feeling.

Spike exhaled softly in what sounded like a quiet laugh as he bit his lip, studying her for a moment as Buffy backed into a crypt behind her. Seeing her eyes shoot nervously to the side to see what had blocked her path, his eyes darkened at the scent of fear that seemed to roll off of her. Leaning forward, he easily held her in place, one hand pressed against the stone surface on each side of her face. “Me,” he whispered softly, seeing her try to suppress a shiver.

Chuckling in amusement when she reached for her stake, Spike easily trapped her wrist in a strong grip, pressing her against the crypt. “Now, now,” he said in a condescending voice. “I just said you’re not ready, Slayer. I’m looking to add you to my collection, but not yet.”

“Collection?” she repeated, practically spitting the word. “If you think I’m going to let you vamp me, you’ve got another thing coming.”

“I was talking about the Slayers I’ve killed, pet,” he said, his hold loosening slightly, feeling the soft skin beneath his fingertips, gently trailing his hand along her arm. “But, if I’ve got a choice on what’s coming-”

Buffy grimaced, finally finding the strength to push him away from her, quickly moving away until she had more space to maneuver. “What the hell are you playing at?” she asked softly, standing her ground when Spike closed the distance between them.

“Now, if I told you, wouldn’t be nearly as interesting, would it?” he asked, his voice low and seductive. “Not often that I find a worthy opponent,” he continued, looking her up and down, seeing Buffy’s brow furrow in confusion.

“And I’m the one who you’ve chosen as ‘worthy’?” she asked, trembling when his hand lightly cupped her chin as his eyes seemed to search hers.

“Not yet,” he said calmly. “But by the time I’m finished with you… you will be.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” she asked, trying to control her breathing at the feel of his hand still in contact with her skin.

“Just what it sounds like, love,” he said, leaning in close as if he was going to kiss her, his lips a breath away from hers as he spoke to her. “If I wanted to kill a baby, I would,” he said, smiling when she tensed at being called a baby. “No, I want to see who you become before I have my fun.”

“And what happens when I become the person who kicks your sorry ass and jams a stake in your heart? Will that throw a wrench in the plan?” she asked, seeing a smile pull at his lips as he continued to look at her.

“Fight it all you want, Slayer. Just makes it all the more fun for me.”

Buffy shivered, having no idea what he was talking about. “And how long will this take?” she asked skeptically, having no intention of actually letting him ‘train’ her for her ultimate demise.

Spike quirked an eyebrow at her. “Guess that all depends on you, baby,” he whispered before leaning forward and pressing a light kiss to her cheek that had her trembling. “See you around.”

Buffy swallowed heavily as he turned around, his black duster swirling around him as he walked away, not at all concerned with turning his back on the Slayer. Taking a few steps back until she felt the mausoleum behind her, Buffy took in a shaky breath, trying to stop the fear from spreading through her. She hated the effect that he seemed to have on her. As if she was just an ordinary girl and not the Chosen One.

How was she supposed to fight someone who could simply look at her and manage to strip away all of her defenses and leave her bare?








Thanks so much to: spuffette, lisa, riam, jeanie, Juanita, slinkypsychokit, jenny, Whitelighter354, Franchesca, Stephanie, Crystal Pegasus, Cordykitten, spikestheman, romero, phantomwriter, gemma, BuffyandSpikeForever, Jessica & Chelsea for reviewing!
Fighting Another Battle by Ashlee
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the lack of updates on my WIPs. I should be able to free up some time in a few weeks, but right now I'm just too busy for regular updates. I won't leave a story as a permanent WIP, but with the holidays so close, they will take a while. I hope you're still enjoying the story!
Chapter 5 – Fighting Another Battle


Spike felt his rage slowly building, blinding him to what he might actually be seeing as he approached the two by the door, a smug smile playing on his lips as he watched them, noticing that neither Buffy nor the bane of his family were paying attention to anything around them. The smile soon evaporated when he realized that they were so engrossed in each other, they didn’t even notice his presence.

“Slipping up, old man,” he muttered, his eyes on Angel as he continued talking to the Slayer.

“I won’t be long,” he overheard Angel telling her.

“No, you'll just give me a cryptic warning about some exciting new catastrophe and then disappear into the night. Right?”

Spike smiled at her sarcasm before narrowing his eyes at her attempt to flirt with the poofter.

“You're cold,” Angel replied, looking her up and down.

“You can take it,” Buffy said, obviously a little frustrated with him.

“I mean, you look cold,” he elaborated, taking off his jacket and wrapping it around her shoulders. Spike’s eyes flashed yellow in response.

“A little big on me,” Buffy said, not sounding as if she cared. Her eyes widened when she noticed the slashes on his arm. “What happened?”

“I didn't pay attention.”

“To somebody with a big fork?” she asked sarcastically, expecting him to say more.

“He's coming.”

“The Fork Guy?”

Through his anger, Spike managed to smirk at the tone of her voice.

“Don't let him corner you. Don't give him a moment's mercy. He'll rip your throat out.”

Spike rolled his eyes. Leave it to his grandchilde to think the way to the Slayer’s heart is through obscure messages.

“Okay, I'll give you improved marks for that one. Ripping a throat out is a strong visual- it's not cryptic!”

Nearly rolling his eyes again, he clenched his jaw at the naïve girl. ‘Any Big Bad will rip your throat out – it’s the one Peaches is talking about that needs more description,’ he thought as Angel hastily said, “I have to go.”

Spike narrowed his eyes as Buffy stared after him. “Sweet dreams to you, too.”

He was tempted to approach her. More than tempted. But even though her fear of him was invigorating, he didn’t desire that from her tonight. Not after watching her interaction with another man whom she was obviously attracted to.

He watched as her back straightened, tuning into his presence now that her distraction had walked away from her. Spike melted into the shadows, smiling when she didn’t hesitate to turn toward him, tuning into him more and more as the days passed.

Tonight wouldn’t be one of those nights. He wanted to see her, interact with her, but he knew it would be more beneficial to his plan if he left her wondering. Just for tonight.

* * * * *

Spike smirked, admiring her from the shadows as she fought the vampire. The same vampire that he had created – he hadn’t sired it, not lowering himself to that, but cutting off his hand had been a fun way to pass the time.

It was even more fun now that he watched the Slayer fighting an opponent that was slightly more difficult for her. She threw herself into the fight, but Spike could tell that she still seemed to be holding back.

He felt his cock hardening at the image of her using the same amount of passion while she moved beneath him.

Narrowing his eyes at the thought, Spike slowly approached her. “Dropping your shoulder, love,” he called out, seeing her spin around in surprise. Watching as she gasped in pain, her eyes traveling down to her stomach, Spike growled at the tightening in his own stomach. Stepping out of the shadows, he roared at the vampire she had previously been fighting, watching as the vamp recognized who he was, his eyes widening in fear.

Passing by him, he didn’t spare him a second glance as he ripped his head off, his eyes still on the injured Slayer.

Slowly approaching, Spike watched as she clutched her side, stepping away from him when she saw how close he was to her.

“Stay away from me,” she said, her voice shaking as he continued his slow walk toward her.

“Now, why would I want to do that?” he asked, closing his eyes as he inhaled. “When it seems a fresh meal is right in front of me.”

Buffy tried to control her nerves as she continued to move toward the street, never daring to turn her back on the vampire. “This was your plan, then?” she asked, breathing heavily, hoping to forget about some of the pain that she was in. “Get someone else to do the hard work for you and then step in for the final blow?”

Spike narrowed his eyes, not liking that she was able to strike a chord with him. “I fight my own battles,” he said in a low voice.

“Whatever you say,” she muttered, briefly looking to her left when she heard the sound of police officers approaching. Her momentary glance was the opportunity Spike needed.

Closing the distance between them, he grabbed her arm, roughly pulling her toward him. “One word, and I have them for a midnight snack,” he warned in a low voice.

Buffy looked up at him in contempt, clenching her jaw as she gave him a tight nod.

“Good girl,” he murmured, surprising her by pressing a kiss to her temple.

The kiss wasn’t for her benefit, however. She noticed that when the officers approached them, wincing as Spike pulled her into his side, trying to fight the nerves she was feeling as the Master tightened his hold on her.

“Evening,” one of the officers said, nodding to both of them. “Little late to be out, isn’t it?”

“We were just on our way,” Spike said with a smile that almost could’ve been considered warm.

The other officer seemed to be studying Buffy. “You alright, miss?”

“I’m fine,” she said, offering a tight smile as Spike’s hold on her arm turned brutal, subtly hiding her bleeding stomach.

“How old are you?”

“Eighteen,” she lied without hesitation, knowing that Spike wouldn’t hesitate to kill these men, also knowing that she was in no condition to be fighting him. Not with the cuts that now layered her midsection.

“Do you have any identification?”

“Not with me,” she said, holding her breath as a fresh burst of pain seemed to shoot through her body.

“You’re going home now?” the officer asked warily.

“Yes,” Spike replied, obviously getting tired of the men.

“Alright.”

Not saying anything, Spike turned Buffy away from the officers, leading her through a winding path toward the entrance of the park.

“Wouldn’t know you could act so domesticated,” she said, gritting her teeth as she tried to keep the tears from springing to her eyes at the pain.

Clenching his jaw to control the bloodlust racing through him, Spike was tempted to say to hell with a fair fight. It would be easy enough just to drain her and leave her in the park for some poor, unfortunate person to stumble across her. But he managed to keep a tight rein on his urges, guiding her toward the back entrance of the park that was still open.

Feeling Buffy stiffen as she realized just how alone they were, Spike smiled. “Don’t worry, love,” he said in a voice that was too calm for her liking. “Not like anyone strong enough to help you would be on your side. Not to mention the fact that they’d have to face off with me, and we both know how that would go.”

Buffy stayed quiet, her brain working overtime to try and figure out a way out of this. Cursing herself for being distracted long enough to get injured, let alone falling into the hands of her most feared enemy. Not that she would let him know that.

“Where are you taking me?” she asked, proud of herself that she was able to keep the nervousness out of her voice, not wanting him to know how much he was affecting her.

She was too young and too immature as the Slayer to know that her fear was feeding his senses just by walking next to her, causing more than one reaction to race through his body in response.

His whispered reply sent a shiver racing through her, even as her eyes continued to stare straight ahead, her hands weakly clutching her stomach.

“Somewhere we can be alone.”








Thanks so much to: Cordykitten, Whitelighter354, riam, BuffyandSpikeForever, Smitten, Bernardette, spuffette Tasha, gaillee & Jessica for reviewing!
Craving a Taste by Ashlee
Author's Notes:
If you don't read my other fics (or my LJ) then I wanted to let everyone know the reason that updates are taking so long is because I'm pregnant and exhausted all the time. The time that I used to reserve for writing is now spent sleeping, but eventually all of my fics will be finished.
Chapter 6 - Craving A Taste


Gritting her teeth as she was practically dragged through the streets of Sunnydale, Buffy offered what little resistance she could while trying to keep from keeling over in obvious pain. The sliced wounds on her stomach were beginning to bleed heavily, seeping through the thin fabric of her shirt, causing her to get weaker by the moment.

“Where the hell are you taking me?” she asked through gritted teeth, wondering how far she could push her luck. When the time actually came to push it, that is.

“I thought I already answered the question,” Spike replied, not bothering to loosen his grip on her arm as he continued his steady trek away from the center of town.

“No, what you bothered to do was dance around it. I want a direct answer. Where are you taking me?”

“You’ll find out soon enough,” he responded cryptically.

Buffy nearly huffed in indignation, her muscles tensing up even more as she was maneuvered out of the shadowed back alleys of Sunnydale and onto the side streets. “I’m not asking again-”

“Good,” he interrupted, not bothering to look at her as he jerked on her arm.

Practically growling at the refusal, Buffy opened her mouth to issue a harsh reprimand, only to stop when she saw the mansion at the end of the road. “Please tell me you don’t live there,” she said with an amused expression.

Spike paused, glancing over his shoulder with a raised eyebrow. “And if I do?”

“It’s a little gothic,” she said, taking in more of the exterior as they approached. “Even for you,” she added in a snide tone.

Pulling her closer to him, Spike stared into her eyes for a long moment, nearly smiling in satisfaction when she became restless under the scrutiny. “It’s private,” he said in a low voice, smirking at her when a shiver ran down her spine as she looked away from his sharp gaze. “Nice place to take someone if you don’t want them to be found again,” he continued, feeling a sense of satisfaction when her eyes snapped back to his, blazing with their usual righteousness that he found so damned cute.

“Let’s get one thing straight,” Buffy said, finally jerking her arm out of his grasp. “I might be injured, which is your fault by the way, but that doesn’t mean that I’ll happily walk into that house where you’ve got an ambush waiting for me. I think you’re forgetting who I am.”

“Oh, I haven’t forgotten,” he said quietly, looking her up and down. “You’re a Slayer who was nearly bisected less than half an hour ago.”

Pulling her hand away from her stomach, Buffy welcomed the pain that the sudden movement caused, using it to her advantage as she slammed her fist into Spike’s face, sending him stumbling backwards before she turned and slipped into the brush on the side of the road.

Startled, but unsurprised, when her shoulders were grabbed in a brutal grip, Buffy allowed the momentum to spin her around as the loud roar filled the air. Seeing the vampire visage firmly in place, she looked into his golden eyes, raising an eyebrow at the anger that resided there.

“You might do well to remember who you’re dealing with,” Spike said in a menacing tone, his hands biting into her shoulders.

“I beg your pardon,” Buffy replied, her eyes widening guiltlessly. “Was I supposed to just accept my fate? Was I supposed to ask some more trivial questions that would lead to an untimely and unwanted demise? Because I can surely accommodate you,” she said, her voice soft and innocent. “What do you have planned for me, Master?”

Exhaling sharply, Spike’s entire body seemed to tense, reacting to the sultriness that she seemed to infuse her words. “You won’t be disappointed in what I have planned,” he replied, eyeing her up and down.

Buffy stayed where she was, assessing the situation as Spike closed what little distance was left between them. Standing her ground when he stood directly in front of her, she tried not to move, even as every nerve seemed to stand on edge at his proximity.

Her breath caught in her throat as his hands slid from her shoulders, down her arms in a provocative gesture, leaving her shivering in their wake. A million questions seemed to be dancing in her head, but only one surfaced when she saw him fall to his knees in front of her. “What are you doing?”

“I said I wanted privacy,” he replied, moving her hands away from her stomach. “Never said it had to be indoors.”

Buffy gasped at the meaning of his words, taking a step back as her survival instinct seemed to finally kick in, only to be held fast by a strong pair of arms.

“Let me go,” she ground out, wincing as she turned in his grasp, irritating the damaged skin of her stomach.

“Not until I get what I brought you here for,” Spike said, firmly holding onto her hips.

“And what’s that?” Buffy asked with a note of condescension shading her voice.

His answer was simple and to the point, sending a shot of terror racing down Buffy’s spine.

“Blood.”

Twisting away from him, she felt the first panicked sensations of desperation kicking in. “N-no!” she screamed, struggling against his superior strength.

“We can do this the easy way or the hard way. The result is inevitable.”

“If you think I’m going to lay back and let you make a snack out of me, you’re crazier than I thought you were.”

“Don’t degrade yourself, love,” he said with an amused smile. “You’re a four-course meal if there ever was one.”

Lifting her knee to connect with his chin, Buffy gasped when he caught it, twisting her at an angle that was to his advantage, even though she was the one still standing.

Opening her mouth to scream, to protest, to cry, to do anything as Spike lifted the hem of her shirt, the only thing that came out was a strangled sound that quickly degenerated into a whimper. “Don’t do this,” she said after a moment while Spike did nothing but stare at the damage that the blades had inflicted on her skin. Buffy was moderately proud of herself that her request had come out as more of a demand than a plea, even knowing that the results wouldn’t be what she desired.

Shivering against her will, Buffy bit her lip, turning her eyes away from the sight in front of her, never seeing Spike’s vampire guise slide away, revealing the cool blue eyes that seemed to be appraising every nuance of her.

“There was no ambush,” he said, drawing her attention back to him. “If I can’t take you out on my own, I’ll be damned if I let others do the work for me. And as tempting as you are right now, I don’t take the food that’s handed to me. I earn it.”

“A vampire with a code of honor,” she said, her tone obviously unsure of whether he was telling the truth, a slight hint of sarcasm in her words. “How noble.”

“If you want to call it that,” he replied with a wry smile. “I do want to fight you, Slayer, and I plan on winning. But you need to be healthy for that to happen.”

Buffy opened her mouth to respond, a sharp cry of surprise coming out as Spike’s tongue gently stroked her stomach. His hands slid from her hips to her waist, creating a more intimate connection as he forced her to take a small step toward him.

Trembling against him, Buffy closed her eyes at the erotic sweep of his tongue against her skin. “Don’t,” she finally murmured, her voice coming out a strained whisper, feeling Spike smile against her stomach.

“Nothing’s gonna move me from this spot, Goldilocks,” he said, pulling her more firmly against him.

Every instinct that she possessed screamed at Buffy to do the right thing. To somehow get away, find some type of weapon and fend him off. But the delicious effect that he was having on her was making all coherent thoughts drift away.

Unaware of how long she’d been standing in the same place, Buffy nearly gasped when Spike’s hands began moving in a sensuous rhythm over her exposed skin. Biting her lip to keep from asking the obligatory ‘what are you doing?’, Buffy stared down at the blonde head.

“I gotta admit,” she said, trying to keep her voice steady and unaffected, “having the Master on his knees in front of the Slayer is a hell of a power trip in its own right.”

Spike growled against her stomach, obviously not approving of her choice of words. Before Buffy was aware of what was happening, she found herself lying on her back in the soft grass with Spike crouched over her. The shadows played over his face until even his human features looked slightly demonic.

“You need to learn how to play the game, little girl,” he whispered, his voice surprisingly soft in contrast with the killing instinct that seemed to permanently reside in his eyes.

Buffy swallowed at the menacing words, not taking her eyes away from her captor. Her body tensed when she felt his muscles shift, bringing a subtle pressure over her body. “And what game would that be?” she asked, her voice steady and unwavering, even as her eyes displayed all of the fear that she was feeling.

Spike smiled, his gaze raking over every part of her face, searching for something that seemed to elude him. “You’re so young,” he said, his tone making the comment more insulting than it needed to be. “There’s so much I need to teach you.”

Gritting her teeth at the arrogant statement, Buffy shoved at his chest, temporarily moving him away from her, only to groan in pain when she was slammed back against the hard ground, the back of her head colliding with the unforgiving earth. Briefly closing her eyes to stop the stars from dancing in front of her vision, Buffy turned her head, inhaling sharply when she heard Spike’s voice in her ear.

“Lesson the first,” he whispered, running his fingertips along the column of her exposed neck. “Never attack in anger.”

“It’s worked well enough for me in the past,” Buffy replied, battling the wave of nausea at the pain in her head as she turned her gaze back to Spike, moderately surprised that he was only inches away from her.

“Doesn’t cut it with me,” Spike said with a condescending smile.

“Fine,” she said in a falsely placating tone. “Any more lessons for the night?”

Something predatory seemed to flash in Spike’s eyes as he pulled back slightly to look at her. “If you insist,” he said quietly.

Buffy gasped, struggling against him when she felt his hand slip between their bodies. “N-no!”

“You offered,” he said, his smile widening when she managed to close her legs.

“Get off of me,” she said, her eyes flashing with repressed rage, nearly growling in frustration when his other hand managed to pin both of her wrists above her head.

“Not that easy, sweetheart,” he said, lowering his head, intent on kissing her.

“No!” Buffy yelled, turning away from him as her struggles intensified.

Spike narrowed his eyes at her blatant refusal. Sliding a hand between her thighs, he gently massaged her through the layers of cloth, satisfied when he saw the color rising in her cheeks as her breathing became more labored. The tension flowed out of her body as Spike continued to manipulate her. The only touch to her skin was the iron grip he had on her wrists.

Watching as she turned her gaze back to his, Spike nearly groaned at the innocently seductive image of her beneath him. Tendrils of hair had escaped their confinement to curl around her face. Her eyes were half-closed and glazed over, her lips moist and parted as she panted softly for air.

“I don’t want this,” Buffy whispered weakly, shaking her head slightly to emphasize what she was saying even as her hips arched toward his hand, wanting more contact.

Spike smiled, leaning toward her again, clenching his teeth when she turned her lips away from him. Brushing his lips against her jaw, he nuzzled the soft skin as she trembled beneath him. “Your body’s telling a different story, love.”

Closing her eyes as she turned as far away from him as she could, Buffy hid her face against her arm, knowing that he was right. Lifting her body toward his hand, Buffy cried out in panic when he pulled away from her, his grip loosening on her wrists. Blindly reaching for him, she gasped when she felt his fingertips on her lower abdomen, slipping below her pants and delving lower until he was caressing the place that no one else had ever touched.

Blindly reaching for him, Buffy buried her face in Spike’s shoulder, whimpering in need. Desperately clutching at him, she arched her back as his fingers rubbed her clit, using more pressure until she felt the unfamiliar explosion that traveled through her body. Opening her mouth in a silent scream, Buffy saw stars burst in front of her eyes as her body went rigid with the pleasure coursing through her.

Breathing heavily, trying to get herself under control, she became vaguely aware of Spike’s satisfied expression above her. Feeling the warmth rise to her cheeks, Buffy turned away, shoving at his chest until he slowly separated himself from her and stood up. Rising to her feet as fast as she could, Buffy took a few steps away from him, needing as much distance as she could manage as she watched the master vampire warily.

“So that’s what it’s like to have a Slayer,” Spike said, eyeing her up and down, not surprised when he was nearly knocked off of his feet as her fist slammed into his face.

“You’ll never have me,” she spat out angrily, the strange warmth that had coursed through her draining out of her at his spiteful words.

Slowly straightening up to his full height, Spike grinned as he ran his thumb over the corner of his split lip. “I had you writhing underneath me. That’s enough for now.”

“There’s no for now about it,” she said in a deceptively low voice. “This will never happen again.”

“That was just a taste, baby,” he whispered, leaning toward her, a lustful look in his eyes, chuckling softly when Buffy turned her head away from him. “Wait ‘til the main course.”

Buffy’s head snapped around at the threatening note in his words, her breath catching in her throat as she searched the area, not seeing him anywhere. Clenching her jaw in determination, Buffy spun around, idly placing one hand on her stomach, even though she knew that it was already healing. “You’ll have to satisfy that craving somewhere else.”





Thanks so much to: riam, Tasha, Cordykitten, BuffyandSpikeForever, GreenAppleSweety, slinkypk, no one in particular, jenny, sirc, Whitelighter354, Roz, Jessica, Photography Nut & cath for reviewing!
Spiraling by Ashlee
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much to Allison for the super-quick beta (as always)! I've been getting more free time lately, so I'll be having more regular updates (on all of my WIPs). I'm hoping to have a new chapter of Daughter of Darkness before the weekend. This one is kind of a filler chapter, but I'm still proud of it, so I'm hoping you like it!
Chapter 7 - Spiraling


“Look at me, Giles!” Buffy demanded, lifting up a section of her shirt to show him the damage from the previous night. “Not only do I look like a scratching post, but I was turned into an All-You-Can-Eat buffet by Sunnydale’s reigning nighttime terror. I need to find some way to stop this and I need to do it now.”

“Buffy, I realize the extreme importance of this situation - believe me, I do. But you have to understand that this problem will not go away just because you wish it to be so.”

“Trust me, if it was as simple as making a wish, Spike would be poofed into outer-space by now,” Buffy replied with a sulking frown.

Giles sighed, setting down the book he’d just scanned and leaning on the counter, studying the young girl in front of him. “Buffy,” he began slowly. “I know that this is not easy for you. I hate to appear callous or glib when discussing this topic because I do understand the severity of Spike’s seemingly growing obsession with you, but you need to understand that in certain circumstances, it’s acceptable to be afraid.”

“This goes beyond simple fear, Giles. He’s disrupting my life. And I’m not talking about the slaying side of my life - it gets a normal dose of disruption on a regular basis. I’m talking about the life that I try to lead during the day.”

“Shall I even attempt to translate what you just said or would you care to speak in English?”

Sighing in irritation, Buffy stepped back, holding her arms out to each side. “Look at me.”

Impartially looking her up and down, Giles raised his eyebrows, waiting for her to continue.

“My clothes,” she continued, raising her own eyebrows to get her point across as if it should be the most obvious thing in the world.

Taking in the soft cotton shirt and one of the short skirts that she was so partial to wear, Giles sighed, becoming more annoyed by the minute with his charge and her flippant conversation skills.

“He’s disrupting my wardrobe, Giles. This simply has to stop.”

“Buffy, what on earth are you talking about? I’ve seen you in those clothes once already, so this can’t be a problem of catastrophic proportions.”

Exactly! Everyone has already seen me in this, but I had to throw something on this morning because the dress I was planning to wear irritated my stomach whenever the fabric brushed against it. And it’s not like I could wrap a big bandage over it because that would just make my stomach look all lumpy. And Giles, I’m still relatively new and something of a novelty at this point in my high school career - lumpy is not a synonym I want attached to my name!”

“Perish the thought,” Giles muttered, distractedly organizing some books behind the counter.

“Oooh!” Buffy growled, throwing up her hands and storming across the library, not having a direct destination in sight but wanting to prove how truly irritated she was.

Giles looked over at his Slayer with a thoughtful expression. “Buffy, are you sure that Spike taking blood from you was the only thing to happen last night?”

“You say only like it’s not a big deal,” she muttered, crossing her arms over her chest and pouting as she looked at the floor.

“What I mean is, you seem dreadfully focused on making this more about your injury at the hands of another vampire than your interaction with the Master. Is there anything else I need to know about your evening?”

Buffy felt her cheeks begin to heat up as the memories came back to her in a blinding rush. She could practically feel Spike’s fingertips dancing along her skin before he brought her to shuddering release. One part of her soul cried out in righteous indignation while the other seemed to hide in shame.

Closing off every ounce of lingering emotion from the night before, Buffy carefully schooled her features into an impartial mask. “Nothing happened,” she said, her voice carrying a quiet but firm undertone that left little to argue with.

Turning on her heel, she tried to maintain a casual stride as she made her way to the library doors. “Let me know if you come up with a plan. Or, you know, anything in general to keep me alive for another week,” she tossed over her shoulder, knowing that she was being too hard on her Watcher but deciding she was allowed a few bad days and continued out the door, immediately running into a passing student.

“I’m sorry,” she said quietly, bending down to retrieve the book that had fallen. “Emily Dickinson,” she murmured, the name sounding vaguely familiar to her as she handed the book back, finally looking up at its owner. “Owen,” she said in surprise, her eyes widening slightly at the sight of the boy she was seriously crushing on only days earlier.

“Hey, Buffy,” he replied with a nervous smile. “It's dumb, but I like her around. Kind of a security blanket.”

“Oh… huh?”

“My Emily,” he said, a flustered look crossing his boyishly handsome face as he held up the book.

“Oh,” Buffy replied, still not sure if she was following the conversation. “I have something like that. Well, it's an actual blanket. Uh, and I don't really carry it around anymore. And… I should be going,” she finished awkwardly, making a move to step around him.

“Do you like the Bronze?” Owen asked, turning to follow her as she walked around him until they were both facing each other again.

“The Bronze?” Buffy parroted, trying to shake off her previous worries and focus on the conversation.

“Yeah. Nightclub. Teenagers. Dancing-”

“Drinking of the cola variety,” Buffy filled in with a smile. “Yeah, I’m there a lot.”

“Great. That’s… that’s great,” Owen said, a nervous smile playing on his lips.

Waiting the obligatory five seconds for him to continue his comments with something a little more substantial, Buffy finally took a step away. “Okay then… see ya,” she said, offering a little wave as she turned around.

“Would you like to go?” he blurted out, causing Buffy to slowly turn to face him once more.

“With you?” she asked with a reassuring smile.

“That was the general idea,” he replied, his nerves practically radiating into Buffy.

“That’d be great. How about tonight at eight?”

“Great!”

“I’m at 1630 Revello,” she said, turning away for the final time and walking down the hall, breathing a sigh of relief. Or at least of hope. Maybe for one night she wouldn’t have to worry about the downward spiral that her life was turning into.






Thanks so much to: spufette, Burnz, dihcar, Cordykitten, gaillee, Vette, Jessica, Whitelighter354, Priscilla, SarahandJamesFanatic, sue, Brunettepet, Shannon & romero for reviewing!
You've Only Just Begun by Ashlee
Author's Notes:
Segments in this chapter are credited to Rob Des Hotel & Dean Batali. Everyone have a safe and Happy Easter!
Chapter 8 - You’ve Only Just Begun


“I feel like I’ve hardly seen you this week,” Willow said, helping Buffy go through her closet in preparation for her date later that night.

“I know, I’ve been kinda lacking in all things class-related,” Buffy said, pulling out a dress for a moment before shoving it back into her wardrobe.

“I’ve noticed there’s been a certain absent party next to my desk everyday.”

“I’m sorry, Wills,” she said with an apologetic smile. “It’s just… with this whole Spike thing and him wanting to… well, let’s just say, my concentration hasn’t exactly been a huge focal point where school is concerned. Did I miss anything of major importance?”

“Only Xander drooling over the new science teacher.”

“Please tell me it’s a woman.”

“Yes,” Willow admitted with a smile. “But you should see him, Buffy. It’s like he’s regressed to some kind of…”

“Teenage boy?” Buffy filled in, putting on her lipstick.

“Exactly! It’s gross!”

“Come on, Will, she’s a teacher. I’m sure it’s just a little crush,” Buffy said, capping the lipstick. “Not like anything can come of it.”

“I don’t know. If you saw the way she encouraged them-”

“Wait - them?”

“The guys in class. It’s disturbing.”

“Hmm,” Buffy murmured, seemingly studying another dress without actually looking at it as she thought about what she’d just heard. “Keep me posted on the Xander sitch.”

“You think it’s something to worry about?” Willow asked, looking up at her friend with an anxious expression.

“I don’t know about worrying, but there’s definitely a creep factor there.”

“That much is definitely true,” she agreed before turning toward Buffy with a smile. “I can’t believe Owen Thurman asked you out. That‘s so exciting!”

“I know. One minute, I’m all stressed about Spike, and the next - boom - I have a date. Weird how high school works out that way,” Buffy said with a smile, holding up a dress for Willow to critique.

Shaking her head at Buffy‘s choice, Willow offered her a bronze-colored dress that was visibly modest, with the exception of the skirt that ended mid-thigh. “Speaking of Spike, what’s going on there?”

Buffy sighed, idly playing with the fabric as she thought of how to edit the details from the night before. “Well, the good news is he obviously doesn’t want to kill me. The bad news is that he definitely wants to kill me.”

“Okay,” Willow said slowly. “In the words of Xander, who here’s not following that crazy train?” she asked, raising her hand as Buffy laughed.

“It’s just… the actual killing seems to be on the backburner. He apparently wants to see how strong I get. Wants to up his challenge for himself. He doesn’t seem to have any interest in killing me right now, but that’s definitely on his agenda.”

“He’s like a big cat,” Willow replied, helping Buffy zip the back of the dress. “Has to play with his food before he eats it.”

Glancing over her shoulder, Buffy raised an eyebrow. “I hope that doesn’t mean that your money’s on him?”

“What? No! No, of course not. I’m in the Slayer corner,” she said with a bright smile.

“The thing is,” Buffy began slowly, sitting down on her bed as she put on her shoes. “I’m not sure if I am.”

“What?” Willow cried, dropping down beside her friend. “What do you mean? You want the Master to win?”

“No… no, that’s not it. I’m just… I’ve been the Slayer for a year and… I’ve never come across anyone like this before. Even the Big Bad that I killed in L.A. was nothing like Spike. I’m just not sure if it’s possible for me to… slay him.”

“Buffy, if you question your abilities, then you don’t stand a chance. You have to know that you have the upper hand every time you come up against him.”

“But I don’t,” Buffy whispered, looking at her friend. “I don’t have it at all. In fact, whatever hand comes before the lowest hand is me right now.”

“What happened?” Willow asked gently.

Looking around the room for a moment, Buffy swallowed nervously as she took a deep breath. “Wills, if I tell you something, do you promise it won’t leave this room?”

“Of course,” she said quietly.

“The other night,” Buffy began, taking a deep breath to calm her nerves. “He had the upper hand, Will. Hell, he had the whole deck,” she muttered, looking down at her hands.

“Buffy, what’re you-”

“He could’ve had me,” she cried, looking up at her friend, silently pleading with her to understand.

Willow stayed silent for a long moment, a shocked expression on her face. “You mean, you would’ve…?”

“No, I… Maybe,” Buffy muttered, looking at the floor.

“Maybe?” Willow repeated, seeing her friend’s obvious distress at the possible outcomes of the past night.

“The Slayer part of me was screaming to get away from him. Even the rest of me was having second and third thoughts for awhile, but… Willow, I’ve never felt…”

“Buffy, are you falling for him?” Willow asked carefully.

“What?” Buffy replied, standing up from the bed to grab a Kleenex, dabbing the tears that had formed in her eyes. “No. I could never… It was all just so surreal. He kept talking about games and that I needed to learn how to play and that he wants to teach me everything and…”

“And?” Willow prompted.

“And he taught me,” she finished with a contemptuous laugh.

“Did he…?”

“Let’s just say, if Owen gets to second base tonight, he won’t be the first one,” Buffy replied with a humorless laugh, drying more tears before they could fall.

“Oh,” Willow murmured, her eyes widening. “Buffy, that’s not your fault. He had the advantage over you and he took it. There’s nothing for you to feel ashamed of…” Willow trailed off, seeing the doubtful smile on her friends lips. “Is there?”

Buffy frowned as memories from the previous night came back to her. Spike’s voice seemed to haunt her wherever she was.

“Your body’s telling a different story, love.”

“So that’s what it’s like to have a Slayer.”

“I had you writhing underneath me. That’s enough for now.”

“That was just a taste, baby. Wait ‘til the main course.”


Taking a deep breath as she ran her hands through her hair, Buffy turned toward her bedroom door at the sound of the knock downstairs. “That’s Owen,” she murmured, a distant look in her eyes.

“Buffy-”

“Thanks for listening, Will,” she said, turning toward her friend with a grateful smile. “It helped to talk about it.”

Walking out the door and down the stairs before the redhead could push the subject, Buffy breathed a sigh of relief as she stepped into the foyer. Pausing with her hand on the doorknob, Buffy looked at Willow as she descended the stairs. “Are you gonna be okay to get home?”

“Giles was going up to the library tonight, and I offered to help him out on the computer. He should be here any minute.”

“Okay, good,” she murmured, not liking the idea of her friend walking alone when the Master was on the loose.

* * * * *

“The thing about Emily Dickinson I love is… is she's just so incredibly morbid. A lot of loss, a lot of death… It gets me. With a lot about bees, for some reason.”

Buffy nodded, trying to keep the smile pasted on her face as she adapted to yet another aspect of her personality - high-school girl Buffy.

“Did she have a tragic and romantic life? With a lotta bees?” she asked, hoping she was appearing interested.

“Quiet. Kind of sequestered and uneventful. Which I can really relate to. I… don't get out much.”

“I don't get that.”

“It's my fault. I just find most girls pretty frivolous. I mean, there's a lot more important things in life than dating, you know?”

“Boy, do I know,” she muttered, looking down at the table for a moment. Feeling a tingle race across the back of her neck, her eyes widened as her gaze snapped over to the dance floor.

“Oh. Did I say something wrong?”

“Uh… no!” Buffy exclaimed, feeling short of breath as she tried to look through the crowded club without being obvious. Wanting a better position in case she was about to be taken by surprise, she grabbed Owen’s arm, practically pulling him from the booth. “Come on.”

Leading him out to the dance floor, Buffy scanned the area, trying to hone in on the familiar feeling, searching the shadows for any sign of movement as Owen wrapped her in his arms.

“It's weird.”

“What is?” she replied distractedly.

“You. One minute you're right there. I've got you figured. The next, it's like you're two people.”

Turning toward him for a moment, Buffy frowned. “Really? Which one do you like better?”

“I'll let you know,” he replied with a smile.

Buffy offered a half-hearted smile, attempting to look over his shoulder when she felt the presence slowly approaching. Only one vampire made her this aware of her surroundings.

“Are you, uh, having fun?” Owen asked a moment later, looking at her with a worried expression.

“Yeah,” Buffy replied absentmindedly, wishing for just one night of normalcy in her life. “I almost feel like a girl.”

Pulling away from him a moment after the song ended, Buffy turned toward their table, not paying attention as Owen continued to make small talk.

“Someone needs to call the cops. There’s some guy out in the alley trying to bite someone.”

Spinning around at the sound of the strange voice, Buffy saw the man weaving his way through the club. It wasn’t Spike, which only meant one thing…

“Owen, I’ll be right back.”

Practically running away before more of an explanation was needed, Buffy made it to the back of the club, slamming into the exit door and entering the alley. So intent on her destination, she didn’t notice the man in front of her until she slammed into him.

Wincing slightly when he grabbed her arms, holding her in a brutal grip, Buffy gasped in pain when she was thrown against the brick wall. Opening her eyes, she glared at Spike as he held her in place.

“Having fun, pet?” he asked with a cold smile.

“I was… until you showed up.”

The remark earned her more biting pressure on her arms, but she merely smirked in response. He was the one who insisted she play the game. May as well make it worthwhile.

“You’ve been a little distracted,” he continued. “But I guess I should thank you for that. Made it easier for my boys to find their dinner.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as she thought of the people who may have died that night because she wanted one night of normalcy.

You’ll never have a night off, Buffy, she thought, briefly closing her eyes. You’re in this, ‘til death do you part.

“I’ll deal with them later,” she replied, trying to outwardly remain unaffected.

“Mmm,” Spike murmured, his thoughtful gaze studying her. “What’s the matter, pet? Not feeling well? What happened to the annoyingly peppy high-school girl?”

“She’s on vacation.”

Spike smiled, studying her as she narrowed her eyes.

“And how the hell did you know I was here? Having me followed?”

“No,” he replied, shaking his head with a slight chuckle. “Did the dirty work all on my own.”

Buffy’s eyes widened in indignation. “You followed me?” she cried, struggling against him. “I can do without a personalized stalker, thanks.”

“Hello - creature of the night. Kinda falls under the stalking category, love. It’s what predators do, and in case you missed the memo, that’s what you’re dealing with when you run into me.”

“Oh right, ‘cause you’re the Big Bad. I forgot,” she replied sarcastically. “Well, if you’re so big and bad, why the hell are you in a back alley with a sixteen year old girl and not trying to kill her?”

Hoping that she’d hit a nerve, Buffy fought every instinct to step away when he smiled at her, sending a nervous chill racing down her spine.

“Was hoping for a replay of last night, Goldilocks. Although, tonight it would be only fair if you return the favor.”

Gritting her teeth as he bit his lip with a suggestive smile and rubbed his growing erection against her stomach, Buffy angrily shoved him away, recoiling when he smashed his fist into her face in response. Turning to face him with narrowed eyes, her body went rigid when she felt his hands wrap around her neck, forcing her against the wall once again.

“Never forget who you’re dealing with, Slayer,” he whispered, staring into her flashing eyes. “Too busy playing the double-agent role to remember that you’re just a kid. I could take you right here. Force you onto your knees in the middle of an alley and get what I want.”

“You’re forgetting one thing,” she whispered, throwing her arms up to break his hold on her before slamming her fist into his jaw and kicking him in the stomach, propelling him halfway across the width of the alley. “That I am the Slayer.”

Her voice held such conviction, Spike almost believed her resolve. Walking toward her, he chuckled as he readjusted his jaw, silently commending her right hook. Walking toward her until he was a breath away from her body, he smiled down at her.

Buffy tensed when he leaned toward her, his lips ghosting over the pulse point in her neck, nearly closing her eyes when she felt his breath against her skin as he whispered, “You think you know… what’s to come? What you are?”

Leaning away from him when he stepped back, she fought to keep an impassive expression on her face when he gave her a derisive laugh, shaking his head as he backed away, melting into the shadows.

“You haven’t even begun.”






Thanks so much to: Spufette, Whitelighter354, Priscilla, Brunettepet, Burnz, SarahandJamesFanatic, Missouragirl, jenny, caatje, Smitten, Cordykitten, butterfly and V for reviewing!
The Price of Loyalty by Ashlee
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone for being so patient! I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy last year and am adjusting to having to find time to write, but I promised I would never abandon my fics and I meant it, so here you go.

Previously on Deadly Obsession...

Buffy and Spike confronted each other in the alley behind the Bronze, during Buffy's date with Owen. Threats were made, ultimatums were issued, a Slayer was pissed off. And Spike left the scene with the always confusing quasi-prophecy: "You think you know what's to come? What you are? You haven't even begun."
Chapter 9 - The Price of Loyalty


Buffy stayed in the alley for a few minutes, trying to relax before going back into the Bronze. She knew Owen was waiting for her, but the unsettling feeling that Spike left her with wasn’t going away anytime soon.

“Haven’t even begun,” she muttered in a scoffing voice, staring in the direction Spike had disappeared in. “You need to listen to your own advice, Blondie.”

Turning around, she nearly ripped the door off its hinges, uncaring that she wasn’t supposed to enter through the back. Her anger simmering below the surface, Buffy made her way through the club, halfheartedly searching for Owen, her mind still in the alley.

Running a hand through her hair, Buffy took a deep breath, calming her nerves as she circled the interior of the building. Frowning when she’d walked through the entire club, Buffy pushed through the doors, hoping he was just getting some fresh air.

“Owen?” Slowly turning in a circle, her heartbeat began a more repetitive rhythm, echoing her growing terror. “Owen, if you’re out here, answer me!” she yelled, already knowing where he was. “Damn you,” she whispered, nearly rolling her eyes at the thought of damning a vampire. Especially one who was clearly damned a hundred times over from the terror he’d forced on humanity.

Running in the direction of Sunnydale High, Buffy gritted her teeth as she imagined the thousands of ways she could prolong the annoying vampire’s death before staking him.

No, she thought, running faster as a jolt of fear went through her at the idea of Owen already being dead. Staking is too good for him. Beheading - that’s the way to go.

Seeing the school in the distance, Buffy prayed Giles would be working late in the library.

These shoes are so not the kind for running. Spike is definitely going to die a slow death.

Reaching her destination, Buffy pushed open the doors, hurriedly cutting through the hallways until she found the library doors. Walking into the large room, she agitatedly ran a hand through her hair. “Giles, I need your…” Trailing off at the realization of the feeling she’d been ignoring since she entered the school, Buffy slowly turned in a circle, her breathing escalating as she took in the dozen vampires who surrounded her.

Way to follow those instincts, Buff. Just ignore what’s been instilled in you since birth and walk right into the trap.

Buffy faced the door once again, pasting on a smile that was considerably more confident than she was. “Hello, Spike,” she said with false joviality. “It’s been a while,” she continued sarcastically. “What brings you here?”

“Oh, nothing much,” he replied, pushing away from the wall he was leaning on to slowly stalk toward her. “Just occurred to me that you might be a little out of sorts, what with the boring nightlife Sunnyhell has to offer. I figured I’d do something to alleviate it.”

“How thoughtful. And I’m guessing that includes snatching my date and setting up this charming welcoming party for me.”

Nodding with false contemplation as he surveyed the room, Spike shoved his hands in the pockets of his duster, still continuing his slow approach. “Seemed like the right thing to do,” he countered. “After all, you obviously felt my company earlier was so detrimental to your wellbeing, I thought I’d bring along some friends. To make you more comfortable, of course.”

“Of course,” she murmured, her eyes never leaving his.

“Oh! Almost forgot,” Spike said, snapping his fingers. “Thought you’d want to even the odds.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as he pulled a stake out of his duster, tossing it toward her. Catching it reflexively, Buffy stared at the weapon in her hand, gritting her teeth at Spike’s newest round of mind play. He didn’t think she was a threat, even with a stake? He would learn.

“What a welcoming host,” she quipped. “Planning your own demise is so yesterday. I much prefer the planning and the means to execution. It’s more modern. Before you know it, vampires will be crawling out of their graves and running for the nearest broken tree branch.”

Spike smiled at her nervous banter.

“And Owen?” she continued, watching Spike carefully. “Will he be a member in this lovely welcoming party?”

“He declined,” Spike replied with a seemingly sincere sigh of disappointment. “I’m afraid loverboy just wasn’t up to celebrating.”

Smashing down the fear that slithered through her, Buffy eyes grew wary as she studied her enemy. “Is that right? A shame.”

“It really is,” he said, watching her carefully. “Unfortunately, your Watcher felt the same way.”

Abandoning all hope of not showing her fear, Buffy’s eyes widened as her breathing became more labored. “What have you done with Giles?” she asked, gripping the stake until the wood bit into her hand.

“Nothing much… yet. Besides, it’s only superficial, anyway. After all… how many people really need their hand?”

Buffy gritted her teeth, her eyes narrowing murderously on the man in front of her. “If you’ve hurt him-”

“Lay off the hero trip, Slayer. I’m not here to listen to idle threats from a cheerleader who can’t even keep her boyfriend or her Watcher safe for one night. I’m here to offer you a chance.”

“A chance,” she scoffed. “A chance at what?”

“Why, to become the most famous Slayer of them all, pet,” Spike replied with false innocence.

“Alright,” Buffy slowly replied. “I’ll buy that. I might even be able to sell it back to you if you’re half as stupid as you think I am. Now where the hell is Giles?”

“Tsk tsk, such a temper,” he said with a smile. “I promise, English won’t bite the dust unless his little girl doesn’t feel like playing the game.”

“You know, you keep mentioning this damned game. I think you’re the one who’s sitting on the sidelines of it.”

“That I am, love. Something I hope to rectify before the night is out.”

A feeling of dread washed over Buffy as she watched his slow-moving gaze leisurely peruse her body.

Buffy clenched her jaw. “What do you want?”

Spike smiled as he walked around her in a slow circle, tapping his finger to his lips, mildly impressed that she didn’t turn to follow his progress as he walked, merely cutting her eyes toward him instead. “What do I want?” he repeated in a mild tone, continuing at the same relaxed pace until he was standing in front of her once again. “What if all I want is a little kiss?” he asked with a deceptive smile.

“Your dust will be settling on the floor before you’d ever get the chance.”

“Guess I shouldn’t ask for a quickie then.”

Her stake arced toward his chest in a blinding movement that nearly sent her off balance. Gasping in pain as her wrist was caught in an iron grip, Buffy winced as she was thrown against the wall. Spike’s face was cold as he stared at her, obviously tempted to teach a stronger lesson.

“Try it,” she hissed, a smile pulling at her lips as the minions behind him began to slowly inch forward.

Spike paused at her determined expression, his eyes narrowing a fraction before he took a step away, raising an eyebrow when she immediately moved away from the wall. “So you’re not up to bargaining, pet?”

“Not when the conversation travels in that direction,” she replied, resisting the urge to flex her wrist.

“Even if it meant an unfortunate fate for the boy and the old man?”

Buffy’s face paled at the threat. She could afford to take any risks necessary when it was her own life at stake, but she couldn’t take those same risks when it involved two other people. Especially when one of those lives was a person she felt responsible for. After losing her last Watcher and feeling a stronger responsibility of protection toward Giles, she couldn’t abandon him because of her own morals.

A Watcher did everything to train his Slayer to be safe. She was the Slayer. A Slayer protected her Watcher… at all costs.

Spike saw the flicker of hesitation as she slowly opened her mouth to respond, a smile curving his lips as he watched her. “If that’s not enough of a temptation,” he said in a low voice. “Then maybe this will change your mind…”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed slightly at the underlying threat. Turning as one of his lackeys approached her, she tightened her hold on the stake as he extended his hand, offering her what looked like a picture. Staring at it for a moment, she snatched it away from him. Her eyes riveted to the photo, Buffy’s face drained of color as she stared into the image of her mother’s terrified eyes, a gag shoved in her mouth. Gripping the picture until it was crinkled into a ball, Buffy’s murderous gaze turned toward the Master.

“Where is she?”

Spike raised an eyebrow at the commanding tone, nearly smiling at the rage he could feel directed at himself. “Safe enough,” he replied, his smile widening. “For now.”

Feeling short of breath, Buffy kept her focus on Spike as she struck with deadly accuracy, staking the minion who was still standing at her elbow, slamming the stake home and never taking her eyes away from the man in front of her as the dust settled at her feet.

Clucking his tongue, Spike shook his head. “You really shouldn’t’ve done that.”

Her control snapping at the condescending tone, she moved in a blur, smashing into Spike with enough force to throw him into the wall behind him. One arm on his throat, the other pressing the stake to his heart, Buffy ignored the surprised vampires behind her. Seeing Spike give his followers a look that told them to stay put, Buffy pressed the stake more firmly against his chest, the fabric of his shirt giving way to the pressure.

“Let me tell you how this is going to work,” she said softly, her voice holding a promise of what Spike’s short-lived future held. “You are going to tell me exactly where my mother is. After you do that, you are going to release my Watcher and Owen. If all of this is too hard for you to comprehend, I’ll be happy to let the stake that you so graciously provided do all the talking.”

Spike smiled, ignoring the unwelcome twinge of admiration he felt for the small girl who thought she currently held the upper hand. “Now let me tell you how this is going to work,” he replied in the same tone of voice. “You’re going to calmly step away and follow me to the place of my choice. Once we’re there, I’ll give you the terms that will get everyone released, reasonably unharmed.”

“If you think I’ll trust you, you’re more deranged than I gave you credit for.”

“Never said anything about trust,” Spike replied with a smirk, moving with lightning speed to grab the wrist that held the stake, applying enough pressure to draw it away from his chest. “Let’s go.”

“Like hell,” Buffy muttered, jerking away from him. “If you think I’m going to follow you anywhere-”

“If you want to save your friends, you’re playing by my rules.”

“What rules?” she countered cynically. “You’re a vampire. The only rule you have is whether to bite from the right or the left.”

“Actually, that’s more of a habit than a rule,” Spike replied in a conversational tone, enjoying the subtle change in the color of Buffy’s face as her rage grew nearly uncontrollable.

“I’m going to kill you,” she whispered, growing short of breath as she tightened her hand on the stake.

“I doubt it,” he murmured, his voice taking on a softer quality as he watched her. “After all… if you kill me… you kill your mother.”

Trying to ignore the slice of fear that crept up her spine, Buffy held his steady gaze, refusing to show any sign of movement as she silently asked the unneeded question.

“Seems that if I don’t return at a certain time, my lackeys get a little hungry.”

“Shouldn’t you be careful who you put in charge of the hostages?” she snapped. “After all, if you lose your only leverage because your minions get snack-happy, that doesn’t bode well for your already uncertain future.”

Spike didn’t say anything as he watched her mentally work out what she could do. “You could attempt to kill me,” he said, seeing her clench her teeth at the derisive ‘attempt’. “But seeing how my death would directly be the death of three people you seem to care about…”

The unspoken words hung in the air.

“I could find her,” she said, never taking her eyes away from his. “If it came down to the idiots you seem to think are bodyguards or me… I really hope you don’t think they stand a chance.”

Spike chuckled, surveying the growing agitation of the vampires standing behind the Slayer, seeing the desire for the kill in each one of their eyes. “Better be careful, Summers. I might just start to like you.”

“Too bad I’ll never be able to say the same,” she replied sarcastically.

Ignoring the pointed insult, Spike crossed his arms, casually leaning against the wall. Nearly smiling at the look Buffy gave him, he raised an eyebrow. “What’s it gonna be, Slayer? I don’t have all day.”

Biting back the angry retort of the obvious ‘You know what it has to be,’ Buffy slowly tilted her head, studying him with a cold gaze that unknowingly sent an immediate jolt of alarm through Spike.

“Alright,” she said slowly. “I’ll go with you.”

“And the catch?” Spike replied in a bored tone.

“You let them go,” she said. “First.”

“No deal.”

“Scared, Spike?” she taunted. “You think if you let them go, I’ll figure out some way to outwit the big bad Master? How could I do that?” she continued, battling the nervousness that tried to tinge her voice with something other than the confident tone which gave her a slight edge over her opponent. “There’s no way I could overpower you. I’m just a little girl, after all.”

“Out!” Spike barked to his lackeys, never taking his eyes away from the Slayer, each of them sensing the growing hostility in the group as they left the room.

“I want them free, Spike,” Buffy said, staring at the man in front of her.

“I know that, love,” he said quietly, walking around her in a slow circle. “But that’s the rub, isn’t it?”

“What is?”

“How far will you go… to protect them?”





Thank you so much to: Nerdy Jordy, ChrissieLinnit, riahannon, mac, jenny, SarahandJamesFanatic, cordykitten, Vette, Tanya, Deb, Suzie, and CutieSaiyajin for reviewing the last chapter!
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=15305