Back In The Game by Kimber
Summary: Starts after Not Fade Away. Hero's have fallen and the bad is still coming. Can the world be saved?
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 56503 Read: 11638 Published: 11/12/2005 Updated: 06/28/2006

1. Chapter One by Kimber

2. Chapter Two by Kimber

3. Chapter Three by Kimber

4. Chapter Four by Kimber

5. Chapter Five by Kimber

6. Chapter Six by Kimber

7. Chapter Seven by Kimber

8. Chapter Eight by Kimber

9. Chapter Nine by Kimber

10. Chapter Ten by Kimber

11. Chapter Eleven by Kimber

12. Chapter Twelve by Kimber

13. Chapter Thirteen by Kimber

14. Chapter Fourteen by Kimber

Chapter One by Kimber
Los Angeles May 13th 4:30 a.m.

Lorne continued to stare into his glass of whiskey, needing something stronger than his usual cocktail. Not knowing whether he should cry, laugh, or scream clawed at his battered emotions. He felt that by killing Lindsey and not joining the final battle, he had betrayed his friends in the end. However, he also knew that his being there would have hindered the others from fighting at their best; they would have been worried about him and his inability to protect himself. Angel especially would have paid more attention to his well-being than to his own.

He wasn't sure where to go from here.

"Do I wait and see if they make it and then leave?" He hung his head and held back the tears fighting for release. "Or do I go and let fate play my hand and see where it takes me?" He was lost, so deep in his thoughts that he didn't realize he had spoken aloud.

The green demon smiled sadly, as he stood up, leaving money on the bar to cover his drink and tip. On his way out the door, he started to hum a catchy little tune. By the time he had put his key in the ignition and put the car in drive, Lorne had started to sing.

"Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high..."

He pointed the car toward the east and decided to let fate take him away.

A young man stood watching as the depressed former owner of a once popular demon bar drove off singing a song from the Wizard of Oz. He had tried to get Lorne's attention, but by the time he'd gotten within hearing distance, the demon had said something that worried him.

"I have to find out if my father is okay," Connor gasped as he ran to his SUV. He needed to catch up with the demon so he could ask him where he could find Angel.

Connor had to tell his father what he had found out when he had returned home to his so-called surrogate family. Lawrence and Colleen Reilly had known all along whom and what Connor was. The Senior Partners had hired the supposedly wholesome couple to watch over him and try to turn him to the side of evil. What they didn’t know was that the spell that had made him forget who he really was had been reversed. Since it had been broken, he had come to understand and believe just how much his true father really did love him.

Nothing was ever going to destroy that love again.

Lorne knew someone was following him when suddenly blindingly bright headlights were flashing on and off behind him. His first instinct was to run, but the green demon knew that it would be useless, for if they were out to kill him, there was nowhere he could run. Hoping it might be one of the gang, he decided to stop.

The demon pulled his car over to the side of the street and watched anxiously as a black SUV pulled up behind him. Lorne watched as a young man got out of the truck and started to approach his car. For some reason, he felt familiar to Lorne, but he just couldn't put his finger on it. Quickly, he rolled down his window and called out, "Sing for me, young one, and do it quick."

Connor smiled and started singing a familiar tune that would remind the demon of a happier time, not musically as much as comically; with all the stories he had heard about it. He could still remember the others teasing his father about singing Mandy.

"Conner?" Lorne's voice sounding confused at first and then his expression changed from happy to suspicious. "I remember you now. Are you friend or foe?"

"Yeah, it's me, and I won't hurt you, I promise."

Lorne opened the car door and jumped out, grabbing the kid in a bear hug as his tears flowed. "He'll live through you. We haven't lost him as long as you're alive."

Connor's heart sank at the implications of the demon's words. As he returned the hug, he started to cry. His father was dead. "He came to see me today. I knew then that it was bad," he managed to say.

Lorne felt a sense of closure. Everything was falling into place now. Here was the real reason that Angel had gone to work for 'Department Evil'; it was to give Connor a second chance. An attempt to put right what that damned demon hunter, Holtz, had done by indoctrinating the son to hate the father. Trying to give the confused boy a chance to be normal, so he could forget the past misdeeds and misconceptions that had darkened his life since he had come back from the Quortoth fully grown and brainwashed.

"Tell me, is my father dead?" Connor could barely speak through his tears.

"I don't know for sure if he is yet, but they were meeting up at the hotel after they finished taking out the Circle," Lorne replied.

"Should we join them?"

Lorne looked up and noticed the sun was about to peek its head up over the horizon. "I'm not sure what we'll find there."

"I'm willing to take my chances," Connor nodded.

"Okay, sweet cheeks, I drive, you talk. Tell me what happened to have you out in demon bars into the wee hours of the morning."

Connor smiled as he moved to get into the passenger seat without casting a glance back at his pseudo-parents abandoned SUV. He took a moment to catch his breath before he started to tell Lorne about his evening, including the fact that he had helped his father fight Hamilton, and that Angel had killed the best-dressed demon rep the firm ever had, or so he had said.

Lorne could hear the pain in the boy's voice as he told him how Angel had forced him to leave his side earlier that night. He could feel how proud the boy was of his father and how he had wanted to be there to fight alongside the man he had eventually come to admire and love. He also sensed the heartbreak in Connor’s voice over the so-called parents who had tried to kill him.

Lorne gripped the steering wheel tightly. The last thing he wanted was to take the boy to his father's grave. He prayed desperately for Angel's well being, but he had seen Connor's future, and to his despair, his father was nowhere to be seen in it.

Instead, he had envisioned another vampire and a slayer holding an important role in the young man's future.

*******

He could smell the impending scent of dawn approaching as his senses came back to life. For some reason, he was having a hard time waking up, aching all over while thinking to himself, 'Feels like I've been run over by a train.'

"You awaken." A familiar yet monotonous voice broke into his thoughts.

"Yeah, so what?" he returned as he looked over at her Highness, who was sitting there covered in blood. "What the hell happened to you?" he demanded with a confused look on his face.

She tilted her head and gave him an enquiring look as she replied, "The same thing that happened to you, vampire." She rose to her feet stiffly and began to examine him.

Spike found it painful when he shook his head. Raising his hand to inspect it for any injuries, he was surprised to feel the healing cut and dried blood there. Struggling to remember what he had been doing the night before, he said, "Sorry, your Highness, but I'm drawin' a blank at the moment."

"I can understand this from a human, but not from an undead creature such as yourself." Her words were sarcastic, but the look she was giving him showed her concern, even as she stood there rigid with her head tipped to the side. There was a glint of worry in her usually cold eyes.

"Maybe if you give us just a little hint, it might come rushin' back and all." Spike squinted as he looked around the room, wondering where Captain Bloody Avenger and the rest of his merry crew had run off to. For some reason, he was sure that Angel's absence was a vital piece of information.

The blue warrior god stared blankly at the vampire who had come to mean something to her. Each of them in their own way had touched her in some fashion, unlike any in her past had ever done, but there was one she had never regarded highly that would soon feel her wrath. The blonde vampiress, Harmony Kendal, would pay for her betrayal and regret her traitorous actions.

"Do you not remember our mission to kill the members of the Circle?" Illyria asked calmly, as she watched the blond vampire closely. "Do you not remember fighting the demonic army, or the slaying of the dragon?"

Spike tilted his head and concentrated on what she was asking. Sparks of memory where slowly coming back to him as he muttered, "I remember going and savin' the little imp and taking him back to his half-baked mum. Now that was a vision of sunshine and roses, let me tell ya. Saw more joy watching Angel's face slam a door in mine than that poor excuse of a mother takin' her own flesh and blood back into her arms."

"He will not be safe with her, for the survivors of the Brethren will return for him," she told him dispassionately.

"Yeah, well I’m gonna talk to Peaches about that, see if we can find him a safe home and all." Spike swung his legs over to the side of the bed. "Where are we?"

"We are inside the hotel."

"Where are the others?" he asked as he stood up and stretched gingerly.

"They did not make it," she stated without any emotion as she looked out at the rain that was still falling from the darkened skies. "When Angel died, our opponents started to break off and leave."

"What!" Spike looked over at the blue demon. "Angel’s dead? As in- dusted?"

"He did slay the dragon as he wished, and then they killed him." She shrugged. "They were no longer interested in us for some reason, so I picked you up and brought you inside here."

"How did he die?" Spike asked. He didn't know what to believe. No matter how much bad blood was between them, the Poof was still family.

"They cut off his head, and he became dust." She looked over at the vampire and frowned. "I can feel your grief. It is as I felt for Wesley."

Spike suddenly remembered everything, from catching up with the great Poof in the alley, to Charlie boy's blood soaked return, and then the Blue Meanie jumping down to tell them that the ex-watcher had died during his mission. "Well, seems it's just you and me, pet." He chose to ignore her assumption on his grief over his Grandsire's demise.

"It is I that wish to keep you as my pet." Illyria glared at him.

"Ain't nobody bein' anybody’s pet, you stupid bint…just an endearment that I'm gonna have to curb using around you, I guess." Spike rolled his eyes as it made him think of an ex-demon he used to know. 'Ah, Anya…you and Blue here would've been entertainment galore, that’s for sure. Just, as if I was sittin' down to a good dose of Monty Python.'

"What do we do now?" she asked, ignoring his words.

"Well, I say we get out of L.A, for one. Get as far away from the evil empire as we can." Spike walked over toward the window and looked down into the alley where they had faced their enemy. Four soldiers for the light, now down to two. "I don't understand why they just walked away leavin' us alive. It just makes no bloody sense."

"We are not important to them, insignificant." She shrugged. "A very bad tactical decision on their part. In my day, we left no one standing."

Spike brooded at first before agreeing about their not being important. "No, they had their reasons, just didn't care to share. We need to find safe haven and regroup and plan our next step."

"Since this is your world, you must decide where we are to go," she stated simply, as she joined him at the window.

Spike snorted. "Luv, there's nowhere we can call safe, not after today." He looked down at the trashed alley and wished they could gather their dead. They didn't deserve unmarked graves. They deserved words said over their burial places, telling anyone who would listen that the bravest warriors in the world lay here.

Angel and his lot had died to make the world just a little safer from those who it seemed could not be defeated. They had only sent evil running back to the drawing board for a while, to find another way to defeat and conquer humanity.

He hated that Angel was right and couldn't keep from silently agreeing. "Like Mr. Martyr said- we can't kill them all, just make it where they have to start all over. I think we should just keep on the move for awhile and keep a low profile." Spike sighed and rubbed his hands through his hair. "First we need to work out how to save the brat and then bugger off out of town."

"First I must find the one who betrayed us and kill her, and then we can think of the child," Illyria stated icily, hate laced in her words. She still had a problem with thinking about the safety of one human child.

"Her?" Spike asked as he looked at the old one, puzzled. He tried to figure out who she was talking about when suddenly it came to him like a punch in the stomach. "Damn, stupid bint… Harmony." He looked ready to kill, thinking, 'God, I can't believe I told her she had on a pretty skirt and tried to get a quickie! Good thing she went evil before I got to home plate.'

"Yes, it is she that I speak of." Illyria smiled evilly as she plotted the slow and painful death of the vapid blonde.

"Well, if we find Harm along the way, you can kill her as long as I get to watch and cheer you on." Spike returned the smile with an evil leer of his own. "Rescuing the sprog from his rotten mum comes first."

"So, where do we go from here?"

"I say we get some kip and then we can see about nicking us some transportation out of this town and think of a plan to save Junior." Spike sighed. "I'm thinkin' after…we just keep moving until we find a place we where we can hang our white hats for a spell."

"Hang? White hats?" She looked at him as if he had finally lost his mind. "We do not wear any hats to hang."

"Never, mind luv…another one of those human expressions that makes no sense to you yet." Spike found himself smiling, something he had not expected to happen for a while. "I'll make you a human lover Blue, you just wait and see."

Illyria briefly looked at the smiling idiot before turning to find the comfort only a bed could give her right now. She was suddenly feeling very tired and knew she would not be able to stay awake much longer. "I feel the need for rest."

Spike watched as she moved toward the bed and removed the blankets. His smile deepened as she used them to cover the windows to block the rays of sunshine that would come shortly. "I must make sure my only chance to get out of this town does not fade to dust," was her only justification of her actions.

"I'm glad you got my back, pet." Spike laughed as he noticed the irritated look on her face. He then walked over to lie down on the other empty bed.

Spike worried about of how he was going to get the money he would need to buy some much needed blood. He wouldn't be able to use any of his usual contacts either, since he didn't know who he'd be able to trust.

Illyria looked over and noticed that the blonde vampire was more pale than usual. She got up and walked over beside the bed, stared down at him, and smiled. "Would my blood help to sustain you until you can find a variety that is more acceptable to you?"

"Don't know luv, never bit a Blue Majestic before." Spike shrugged. "Not even sure yours won't kill me."

She looked down at him with an expression of momentary indecision before she lay down beside him and offered him her neck. "Feed."

"What?" Spike looked into her blue eyes and felt a connection.

"I said feed, pet." She brought her hand up behind his neck and gently brought his face closer to her neck. "I do not like how weak you are becoming."

He could smell the strong blood flowing through her veins, her calling him. Her use of ‘pet’ made him chuckle. "I just need a small nip is all, just enough to help me heal faster."

"Take what you need, for you will not kill me," she whispered. "You need me as much as I need you."

He was about to protest, but then realized she had spoken the truth. If they were to survive, they would need each other to do so. On this day, he found someone he could trust. Her decision to fight with them had forged a connection, but saving his life had formed a bond that nothing but permanent death could break.

Illyria felt his features change and a small pinch in her neck as the vampire gently bit into her flesh. She felt the pull as he drank softly from her and sighed contentedly, feeling something for this creature that once had been called her enemy. She couldn't put a name on the emotion this feeding was invoking.

The warmth of her blood as he fed was unlike any thing he'd experienced before as it moved quickly through his body. He could feel the cuts mending and his strength returning faster then ever. The blood of the two slayers he killed had never made him feel so alive. Her life source- if it indeed was hers, or Fred's, he wasn't sure- tasted better then anything he'd ever drank before. Spike realized she could easily become an addiction.

Spike took just enough to take off the edge of his hunger. As he withdrew his fangs, he lightly licked the wound clean until it stopped bleeding and no blood was left visible. He had expected her to get up and move on to the other bed but was surprised when she shifted in his arms and cuddled closer, laying her head upon his shoulder.

Neither of them commented on their intimate position. He pulled her closer as they drifted off to sleep, to rest for their journey out of L.A., once the sun disappeared.

*******

Whistler smiled as he looked through the window and noticed the odd couple consoling each other on the bed. The bottom corner of the window had a small enough opening he could peek through.

He looked up toward the sky and smiled. "I think we did a nice job at protecting her Champion." He opened his hand and revealed an old rolled up scroll. The fact that The Powers That Be had the original Shanshu prophecy did not surprise him.

He had arrived just in time to use the glamour spell to protect Spike and Illyria. Just like the one he gave Angel to trick Hamilton into believing he was fighting with his friends. This made the demon army think that all four warriors had died in battle.

The demon felt bad. Under the direction of the Oracles, he had been the one that put the ball in motion to set Angel up as the one the prophecy was supposed to be about. The Oracles had known all along that the cursed soul Angelus carried within him was not the ensouled vampire mentioned in the prophecy. Instead, it told of another creature; one of the walking dead that fed off humans to survive. One special vampire, that for the love of a slayer, he would fight for and win his soul.

He would become a Champion, and for overcoming his true nature he would be rewarded with his Shanshu. What no one knew was the exact meaning of Shanshu prophecy. Due to a poor translation, everyone had assumed it was becoming human again after redemption, which was the forged copy's intent for those involved to believe such drivel. Its true meaning could only be revealed to the rightful recipient when the time was right and he was ready to accept it.

Eve waited for her brother as he walked toward her, wanting to run to him and hug him tight. Fear held her back, not knowing how he would react to seeing her again after all this time. She wondered if he knew that The Powers That Be had sent her into the fire to prepare for this day.

Eve hated that Angel had set up Lindsey to be killed. That had not been part of the deal, but since having been told by the Oracles that Lorne had been the one to kill him, she understood why it had to be done. The Pylean must have foreseen her lover's betrayal of them in the future. This made it easier for her to understand, but it didn't make it hurt any less.

"So, are they okay?" she asked Whistler as he hugged her close.

"Yeah, sis, they're both fine. They're going to survive this." He smiled sadly down at his youngest sister, who he had not seen in over a hundred years. Not since the day she had gone to work for the bastards at Wolfram and Hart. "How are you, Evie?"

"I'm sorry I never told you the truth about why I went to work for those evil corporate beings," Eve whispered softly. "Other than feeling like I lost my heart, I'm doing okay, I guess."

"I'm glad you can come home now. Everyone will be more than happy to see you, ya know."

"I'm more than ready. What better way to heal my broken heart than with the love of my family?" She smiled, knowing she was on the road to becoming who she used to be. She was a good little demon who had stopped believing in miracles a long time ago, but today she had witnessed one, albeit at a steep price.

The truth be told she had come to care about Angel's little gang of do-gooders. "They truly are what heroes are all about. I just wish they could be written about and given stories worthy of their sacrifice."

Whistler smiled as he let her go, only to take her hand. "Yes, maybe one day it can be done. Maybe you should write about what you've seen… what you know of them and the events of today." He leaned down and kissed her forehead, proud of the woman she had become.

"Home," he said as he closed his eyes and mumbled more words under his breath. Eve smiled as she felt her body becoming warmer as the incantation started to work. She felt the weight of her past leave her shoulders, knowing that soon she would be home with her family.

Until she would be needed again, that is where she would stay.

*******

Lorne and Connor arrived at the Hyperion as the sun was rising. The green demon smiled wistfully, remembering better times he and the others had spent here. He pulled out the key he thought he would never have to use again and let himself and the boy into the hotel. Seeing the lights off and evidence that no one had been in the office told them what they needed to know. Their friends and family had not survived. Both looked at each other and could not say anything at first.

Finally, Connor looked at the demon who he remembered as being easygoing and always able to see the silver lining in most things. "I'm going to go to my dad's room and get some sleep."

"You go right ahead, kiddo. You need your beauty sleep. I’ll crash here on the couch." Lorne nodded. "We can rest up and then we can take a look around town; put our ears to the underground and see if we can find anything out."

"Sounds like a great plan." Connor looked around the office and thought of happier times when Cordelia would be answering the phones. Before things had gotten weird between them. Wes and Gunn would be talking about the latest demon conquest with Fred listening and smiling with silent understanding. All the while, his father would be up in his room resting, trusting those he considered his friends to watch over him.

"Brings back memories, doesn't it?" Lorne sighed. "I'll only remember the good ones."

"Yeah, it does," Connor said with a small smile on his face as he went to the elevator that would take him to his father's room. He too, would only remember the good times, even if there weren't many from the short time he was with them. "Maybe you can tell me more about the good times one day?"

"It would be my pleasure. Now, sleep well, sweet cheeks. I’ll be here when you wake up, I promise."

"I know you will be," Connor returned, letting his father's friend know he trusted his word.

Both of them settled down to rest, not knowing that just one floor above them were two survivors who held some of the answers they were looking for. The couple above them slept deeply, unaware that they had guests below them. The protection spell Whistler had placed over the occupied rooms kept their presence hidden from each other.

Neither knew what the morning would bring, too exhausted to care, too numb to feel.
Chapter Two by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Buffy other but no really togetherness for them, just implied......
CHAPTER TWO


Las Vegas May 13th 9 a.m.

Andrew looked at his watch and realized it was 5 PM in London. He pulled out his cell phone, hoping to reach Giles at the office before he left. He just hated to catch the man at home with the news he had to deliver.

He couldn't help but think, "Well, at least I don't have to be the one to call Buffy."

Rhonda Stone had called him 30 minutes ago with the news. Seemed the Los Angeles based slayer had been trying to call him since early that morning, but for some reason his phone had not picked up any of the messages. She had finally remembered he was stopping off in Vegas, at the Pink Flamingo, for a little R & R before returning to London. He had an emergency to attend to in San Francisco concerning a watcher and slayer dispute.

"When are they going to realize that it's all about team work?" He mumbled, not realizing he sounded a bit like Giles.

He had been enjoying his time in Rome when he had gotten the call from Giles to attend to the issues in San Fran. He was pretty sure it was really the fact Buffy, Nick and Dawn wanted me out of the way. But he didn't ask as Dawn drove him to the airport, having packed his bags for him, smiling the entire time saying, "Sorry to see you go Andrew, was a real treat, but work, work, work. We have to keep the world safe you know."

"Well, a watcher's work is never done." He sighed as he dialed the head of the watcher's council.

*******

London May 13th 5 p.m.

Giles glared at the phone as it rang, wishing it would just disappear at least until tomorrow. He continued to gather his things, ignoring the annoying ringing, wanting to go home and call it a night. He’d spent the entire day trying to work out a training schedule that worked for the different instructors and students.

"Giles, Mr. Giles." Andrew's voice sounded upset as his voice came over the answering machine, "Please, Mr. Giles, pick up the phone if you’re there."

Rupert rolled his eyes and wondered what poor excuse of an emergency the boy was calling about now. "I'm here Andrew, what is the matter?" he asked as he picked up the phone.

"Were you ignoring me or just the phone?" Andrew squeaked.

Giles reached up, pinched the bridge of his nose, and then took a deep breath before replying, "I was on my way home Andrew, now what is the big emergency that has you frantically calling here?"

"Are you sitting down, but then maybe you aren’t the one who needs to sit down…now Buffy would need to sit down, but then maybe not since she’s with Nick now, and all," Andrew babbled.

The lead watcher bit his tongue to keep from voicing his lack of patience with the younger man's ramblings. "Could you get to the point, Andrew?"

"Oh, yeah…well I just got a call from Rhonda in L.A., you know the slayer we left in charge to watch Angel and his gang since we found out that he was working for evil law.com. I have to say that I am surprised, well maybe not surprised after thinking about it."

Giles being tired, hungry, and just ready to go home lost his patience. "Honestly, please get to the point, if there is a point to all of this."

"Oh, sorry…it seems Angel and his gang…well they're dead, if you can call Angel dead. Something about trying to go behind Wolfram and Hart's back and try to take control, Angelus returning and wanting to use their resources so he could take over the world." Andrew wondered to himself if Spike was involved, and if so, to what extent.

Giles grew silent, his thoughts going to Buffy, wondering how this news was going to affect her. It had taken a lot of convincing to get her to believe that Angel was no longer trustworthy, well at least until they found out more about his involvement with the evil law firm. "I see, well, keep me informed. Maybe you should make a special trip to L.A. and investigate this further."

"Sure, boss, I’ll get right to it," Andrew started, but unable to finish since the older watcher hung up the phone on him. "Well, he shouldn’t be the one involved in training phone etiquette to the newbies."

Andrew had kept all reports about the leather-wearing, blonde, hunk of a vampire out of all the L.A. Slayer's reports all these months for Spike's sake. He knew and understood where the vampire was coming from with wanting to keep Buffy from knowing he was alive for now. He didn't think it was going to fair well for the Sunnydale Champion when Miss Summers did find out, especially the part about how long Spike had been back.

He regretted not telling Buffy of Angel and Spike's visit. He felt at the time it was the last thing Buffy needed, having Spike's resurrection sprung on her, on top of a Spike and Angel doing their 'who loves you more' and 'you love me more than him,' competitions.

The watcher couldn't help but think, "Well, it seemed logical at the time to imply she loved them both but had moved on."

Andrew still never really fully understood why he had said that to both the vampy boys. His statement made Angel cry like a baby, and had him mumbling about baking cookies and someone eating said cookies. Spike expression was first a sad acceptance and then shocked as he watched his grandsire crumple before him.

The newly appointed watcher was now somewhat happy that maybe it was for the best that Buffy didn't know Spike had come back, only for him to die again. Only this time possibly, on the wrong side of good and evil. He found it hard to believe that the blonde vamp had turned evil. Sadly, he had heard the report that a blonde male fitting Spike's description had been seen fighting beside Angel as part of his gang.

Andrew called and made airline reservations that would get him into L.A. that evening. He planned on stopping by Spike's apartment and making sure there were no mistakes concerning his involvement with Angel/Angelus uprising silently praying to himself, 'Please Spike, be there and tell me it's all a mistake.'

In his gut, he knew it was Spike, and that somehow his friend had been seduced over to the dark side. "Just like Luke's father tried to bring him over to the ways of the Sith, well except young Skywalker was able to ward off the dark evil and stay in the light, Spike didn't." Andrew reasoned the only way he knew how.

*******

Rome May 13 6:30 p.m.

Buffy and Dawn planned tonight as a movie night, since Nick was away on a business trip and would return the next evening. It gave them some sister bonding time.

Dawn had gone up to take a nap not too long ago, and she was left with the job of setting everything up, instead of taking a little nap herself, feeling unusually tired for some reason. She jumped when the phone rang and a feeling of dread came over her.

"Damn Slayer intuition." She muttered to herself as she reluctantly reached for the phone saying, "Hello."

"Buffy, it's me, Giles." The sound of his voice told her he called to give her some bad news.

"Okay, what's wrong?" she sighed.

"Buffy, is Dawn or Nick there?" he asked, this time his words telling her whatever news he had it was really bad.

"Dawn is, Nick is out on business. Why?" She felt her knees weaken. "Has something happened to Willow or Xander?"

"No, nothing has happened to either of them. But could you have Dawn come down and join you?"

"Giles, you’re scaring me."

"Please, Buffy, call Dawn to join you." The sternness to his voice telling her he would not continue unless she complied and called her sister down.

"Fine, hold on." Buffy placed the receiver to her chest and yelled, "Dawn! I need you to come down here, please."

She felt her heart begin to speed up as she waited for her sister to come downstairs. "Dawn, did you hear me?"

"Yeah, I heard you." Dawn rubbed her eyes as she came down the stairs giving her sister a look that said, 'this had better be good'.

"Dawn, Giles is on the phone and I think he has bad news." Buffy returned the phone to her ear and spoke softly, "Okay, Dawn's here and I warned her it's not good news."

Dawn's heart began to race as she moved closer to her sister, taking her hand as she began to think. 'Just when things were looking up, bam, and shit again hits the fan.'

Giles closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Buffy, I have sent Andrew to L.A. to find out more about it."

"Get to the point Giles, please," Buffy whispered as she squeezed her sister's hand tighter. With the mention of L.A., she had an idea it was concerning Angel.

"It appears that Angelus may have returned and tried to take over Wolfram and Hart in order to take over the world." Giles hated to be the one to tell Buffy this news.

"Where is Angel, I mean Angelus, now?" Buffy asked, her voice wavering.

Dawn eyes grew big as she prayed that her sister would not have to deal with taking down the vampire who had been her first love. Not now, just when she's finally getting over the Spike thing. "Now this has to happen, damn vampire assholes." She fumed quietly, not wanting to make things harder on Buffy.

"Angelus is dead, as are the rest of his people it would seem," Giles sighed. "That would mean Wesley and the others were involved as well."

"Are you sure about all of this?" Buffy asked as she started to cry.

"That’s why Andrew is going there himself to get more detailed information," Giles answered, wishing he were there in person instead of telling her this over the phone.

"Please let me know what you find out," Buffy started feeling dizzy and needing to lie down. "I'm going to hang up now.

"Okay, I will let you know something as soon as I know…I'm sorry, Buffy. I know how much you wanted to believe he was doing something good by working there."

Buffy stiffened and her voice hardened. "We don't know everything yet. Goodbye," she said before hanging up.

Dawn stood quietly waiting for Buffy to tell her the details of what was going on. She wished Nick were here, so her sister would have him to lean on. The one thing she was glad about with Nick's involvement with them was he cared about making sure Buffy was happy and safe.

"Dawn, Giles doesn’t have all the details, but it would seem that Angelus returned and was going to take over the world by using Wolf and whoever." Buffy looked out the window, wondering what else could go wrong. "Seems he and his gang were taken out by the partners or something…Andrew is on his way now to L.A. to get more information."

The tall brunette moved closer to her sister and said, "I'm sorry about Angel."

Buffy stiffened as she pulled slightly away. "Well, we don't know everything, yet, so maybe it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be."

"Maybe," Dawn agreed, feeling hurt that again Buffy was pulling away from her.

"Well, I'm tired and I'm going to try to get some sleep. See you in the morning," Buffy stated as she let go of her sister's hand and moved quickly to the stairs.

Dawn watched her sister until she was no longer visible, listening as she opened up her bedroom door and then close it shut before going to the phone to try to call Nick's cell phone number.

"Hello," a deep accented male voice answered.

"Nick, its me Dawn."

"Hello, Sweet One," Nick said as he wondered what would have Buffy's sister calling his cell. "How is my Bella? Getting ready for movie night?"

Dawn wasn’t sure if she was doing the right thing, but she felt she had to do something. "Nick, Buffy had some bad news today. Seems Angel may have gone evil and is dead now. We're waiting for more information to confirm it either way."

Nick sighed. "Where is she now?"

"Upstairs in her bedroom."

"Little one, don’t let her know you called. I will be home soon and will come over to see her tomorrow," he promised.

"Okay, Nick….just be careful."

"I will see you tomorrow, now go and get some rest yourself, little one," he calmly instructed.

"Okay, until tomorrow," Dawn replied right before she hung up the phone. She felt much better after calling him, knowing he would be here tomorrow and would be here for Buffy. She always thought it funny he would call her little one, when she was taller than Buffy.

"But he calls her Bella. Wish I had someone to call me Bella." She sighed, wishing Buffy would appreciate what Nick did for her.

*******

Nick felt an urge to hurt something come over him. He had hoped to be there when Buffy heard the news about Angel. It angered him when he realized that for some reason she must have been monitoring the damn pain in the ass vampire behind his back. They had discussed the vampire's interference in her life when she had found out he had someone watching her. She promised him that she was not going to worry about her ex-lover, just concentrate on her future.

"I will not let the Slayer slip through my fingers." He chuckled as he reminded himself the reason he was with Buffy to begin with. "She will be very useful for when it's time for me to take over the world."

He was glad she never found out about Spike, but now with his death on record, he didn't care if she found out or not. If she learned he'd had come back, it would make it easier to manipulate her through her grief, and become more dependent on him.

*******

London May 13th 7 p.m.

Giles sat at home with a glass of scotch in his hand. He had just hung up from talking with Willow who had called Xander prior to tell them of Angel's supposedly turning evil and of his demise. The next call he figured was going to be the hardest, and he needed time to recoup. Other than Buffy, this news would hit Faith the hardest. She had developed some ties with Angel and his group.

Xander had taken the news without a tear, only saying, "And this surprises you about Dead Boy?"

There had been no love lost between Harris or the brooding vampire, who had lost his soul before and created havoc in their lives in the past. The older watcher felt comfort in the fact that one other person had felt toward Angel as he did- unforgiving hatred. Xander had also expressed his understanding and agreement after hearing of his and Wood's attempt to kill Spike that dreadful night.

Now Willow was a different story- she had ripped him up one side and down another, when she had found out about it after leaving Sunnydale behind. Reminding him of her evil past, and the fact she did have a soul at the time. That with the help of the coven and her friends she was able to reform and became good again.

She also explained they should not have judged Spike for what The First had programmed him to do. Especially since when it came down to killing Buffy, he had chosen to save her instead. Then he gave up his existence on earth, to close the Hellmouth for good. For how do you really kill someone who's already dead?

Tonight she had heard the happiness hidden in his voice concerning Angel's death and had called him on it. Telling him that he had better not have even hinted any of these thoughts to Buffy, and had better not in the future. Telling him if he wanted to mend the wrongs between him and his slayer, he had better keep his true feelings to himself and not in any way gloat about them. She had even gone so far to inform him she was going to issue the same warning to Xander and Robin.

Deep down he knew that Willow was right, that the only way for Buffy to get over this was not to make it personal. To let her find closure he needed to support her and be a friend. His concern was that she might never let him get close to her again.

He was surprised when he had heard Buffy had become involved with the Immortal. There had been whispers that he was secretly working for evil, but could never find anything or anyone that would say anything definitive or substantial. He had met him once on his last visit to Rome and found him to be a good influence on both Buffy and Dawn. But couldn't remember how he came to feel that way.

The scotch was having its usual effect, as he felt relaxed to make his last call to Cleveland before retiring for the night. The news was going to hit home to the Cleveland slayer hard. She held a special place for Angel in her heart as well. It was a good thing that Robin was going to be there for Faith and she was no longer alone. He knew tomorrow was going to be full of his usual activities, and now with all of this on top of it, well his day was going to be stressful to say the least.

*******

Africa May 13th 9 p.m.

Xander sat and looked out into the night. Since coming to Africa, he had learned more about evil than he cared to know. All this time he was sure the Witchdoctors where truly a product of Hollywood film industries overactive imagination. Lately, he found that they truly did exist and so far, they were all were evil.

His first night looking for a new Slayer, his last report had her in a small village in Kenya, brought him in contact with Morobee. The man was the leader of a tribe of what he called devil worshippers, who had just sacrificed the newly produced Slayer. The tribe wise man had said he could feel the power inside her that would destroy them and what they believed in. It had been a pleasure killing the man.

Hearing that Angel had indeed turned evil and died trying to take over the world made him a happy man, but yet leery. He couldn't help but think the undead had a way of coming back when you thought he was finally in Hell to stay.

"Hell kicked him out once before," he mumbled to no one but himself.

He knew he would not be able to face Buffy for a while. Knowing his hatred of Dead Boy would far exceed his ability to keep his mouth shut on the subject of the bastard being truly evil, as they had suspected. He was expecting a phone call from Willow telling him the same thing. She would tell him to keep all contact with Buffy to only as needed and vampire subject free. Especially avoid talking about vampires with souls that she had intimate connections.

His need to be in Africa was about to end. There was only one more new slayer to contact, and then he would be returning to England for some R & R. This village was on the coastal region and one of the guides had told him strong magic existed there. Various sources told him a demon that could give you your hearts desire lived there and held trials to see if you were worthy to receive such a gift.

It was time for him to retire; he would be leaving early in the morning for the coast. He hoped that he would hear the great news of Angel's demise come this time tomorrow. This was the one time he wished he had Andrew's job. He would love being the one to be able to find the truth that Angel was evil all along.

*******
Chapter Three by Kimber
Author's Notes:
The chapters are different then before with things shifted and new things added.
Los Angeles May 13th 1 p.m.

Andrew was looking at the pictures that the recon person had taken of the battle between Angel's group and the Senior Partners' demon army. His heart sank as he recognized Spike-in his leather duster with blood pouring down his face-meeting up with Angel right before the fight started. Something kept bothering him about the whole thing; he just couldn't put his finger on it.

"Why would Angel and his crew take out only a few important players, knowing the Partners would send the demon squad from hell to kill them?" Andres unknowingly spoke aloud, having heard the two souled vampires and the others assassinating major clients of the law firm before heading to the alley for the final fight.

"What?" Rhonda asked.

"Something just doesn't jive here. Why only take out some important clients only to bring down the wrath of the Partners if the plan was taking over the whole kit and caboodle from the inside?"

"I was thinking the same thing actually," Rhonda sighed. "And who is the hot blond guy?"

Andrew knew he had to do something to make her forget she had noticed the blond vampire. He really didn't want the resurrection of Spike to come to light; it would really look bad for him that he had hid the vampire's mystical return from everyone.

The newly appointed Watcher walked over to the L. A. Slayer with his briefcase and the photos in his hands. He looked into her eyes and softly repeated, "You did not see a blond in the pictures. There was never any discussion about a blond man helping out Angel's band of avengers."

Rhonda felt a little dizzy. She repeated the words back to him slowly as Andrew confiscated the photos and erased the memory card with pictures of Spike on them, placing the hard copies in his briefcase to destroy later on. When he had them out of sight, he coughed, bringing Rhonda out of her trance. She woke up remembering nothing about a blond male; she only thought to mention that the blonde ditzy secretary that worked for Angel had left L.A. on the red-eye to Vegas last night.

"Good. We'll see if we can pick her up there." Andrew smiled as he patted his briefcase smugly and silently congratulated himself.

'Well, I can't tell them them all my secret Jedi tricks, now, can I?' He felt proud of himself for being able to protect Buffy from the heartache that finding out about Spike would bring. It would devastate her on top of this trouble with Angel.

"I think we need to investigate this further, but I have an errand to do first." Andrew sighed. "Then maybe by tomorrow, we'll have enough to call the bosses and give them a proper update."

He wanted to go to Spike's apartment and see what he could find there. Then he wanted to go to Wolfram and Hart as well and see if the wrecked building was safe enough to enter. He was eager to get a look at some of Angel's files.

Rhonda nodded her agreement and gathered up all of her things. "I'll take a couple of girls and hit the underground demon network and see what we can come up with." She offered a lopsided smile. "Could be enough dust has settled that some clear information is available now."

"Good idea. You check your resources and we'll meet back here around five. Then we can plan our day for tomorrow. I'm going to try and get into Angel's office today and will let you know how that goes."

"Great," Rhonda said before she left the room.

Andrew quickly followed, rushing outside to catch a cab to the address he had listed as the last home of one William the Bloody, otherwise known as Spike. "Please, oh pal, oh buddy of mine, having something…anything that will lead me to believe in yours and Angel's innocence.

*******

Connor woke up from a nice dream about his father. It was as if he had been there watching everything as it happened. Cordelia and his father were dancing around a room like a couple in love with each other. He glanced at his watch and noticed it was going on two in the afternoon.

He propped himself up on his elbows and looked around the abandoned suite. His father's room was bare of any personal items. Connor figured his dad must have taken most of them with him to his apartment in Wolfram and Hart. The bed was still here, and while the sheets had a musty odor, he could still smell a touch of Angel's cologne. He was sure the dream meant his father was safe and happy now.

Connor stretched, dreading getting up and facing the day. He thought about how he had just found his real family, only to lose them again. He moved quickly off the bed and realized his dear dad would not want him sulking, but instead focusing and thinking clearly on how to best deal with getting out of town.

He took a last look around the silent room before going to wake up Lorne so they could plan together on what they should do next. His thoughts were to lay low for a while, to move around and use some of the green demon's contacts to flush out more info on what had really happened in the alley.

*******

Spike woke up feeling a tingle that something wasn't right. He could hear two sets of heartbeats, and a sense of familiarity in the air. He didn't want to move. He could tell that her Highness was still sleeping. The vampire worried that maybe he took too much last night when she let him have a sip of her royal blood.

"I am awake," she announced.

"Well, then, I guess we can go downstairs and see who snuck in during the night," Spike said with a smirk on his face. "I think Greenjeans has come home and brought a friend."

"Do you speak of the one called Lorne?" Illyria asked as she sat up on the side of the bed. She felt odd; well rested, but at the same time somewhat weak. She decided it was from the blood loss she suffered in battle and while caring for her pet.

"He did not joy us in battle. Why?" she asked, suspicion oozing from every pore.

"Don't really know. Won't until we ask, but my suspicion is the bloke didn't want one of us dying tying to protect him. The demon is a singer, not a fighter." Spike shrugged. "If he did his job and walked away, that's enough for me."

"If what you say is true, then yes; it was smart on his part to have stayed out of the battle," the blue goddess agreed, imagining how different the battle may have turned out if Lorne had in fact come with them. His presence would certainly have caused the others to be more concerned about his welfare than their own.

"Well, luv, let's go and welcome them to Hotel Apocalypse." Spike sighed as he opened the door, motioning her to exit before him with a dramatic swing of his hand. "After you, your Highness."

"Your attempt at humor annoys me in this instance." She glared at the irrepressible vampire as she stalked past him and out the door.

"Sorry, pet, since I don't have Gramps to irritate anymore, I guess the tradition falls to you now, don't it?" Spike chuckled as he watched her spine straighten. He was surprised that she chose to ignore his word 'pet', as well as the implication that he was going to aggravate her any chance he could get.

The vampire heard Lorne talking to another male as they both approached the office that had once 'helped the helpless'. He recognized Lorne's scent, and for some reason the other person's smell made him think, he knew this person. The voice was vaguely familiar, too.

Lorne stopped talking as he watched Spike and Illyria walk into the office. His heart sped up and a look of shock came upon his face. It caught Connor's attention, causing the young man to turn and see what had made Lorne look like he'd seen a ghost.

"Spike…Illyria…you're alive!" Lorne gasped. "Oh, thank the sweet PTB for something."

"I remember both of you from the tour Angel gave me," Connor stated as he took in the couple's bloodied appearance. "I take it you fought in the battle?"

"Yeah, we did." Spike looked at the young man more closely, thinking to himself that there was something different about the boy.

"Angel, did he…?" Lorne just couldn't come right out and ask. "Wes and Gunn, too?"

Spike dreaded telling him the full story. Other than Fred, Lorne had been the only other truly good-hearted member of their group.

Suddenly, Miss Congeniality came to his rescue. "They died bravely in battle."

Connor bowed his head and fought back the tears. He remembered that his father had told him that as long as he was alive, then it was okay, the evil had no hold over him.

"There's something different about you, mate. What is it?" Spike moved closer, taking a deep whiff of the boy, when it hit him. "How could it be possible? Why didn't I smill it the first time we met?"

Connor looked at Spike as if he was crazy. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"I smell them on you. Angel and Darla, I smell them," Spike growled.

"They're my parents." Connor explained. "Now, how do you know how my mother smells on me? Wait; that doesn't sound right. Or maybe it does. I don't know anymore."

"In the vampire tree that would make you my relation of some kind." Spike laughed. "Darla sired Angel, who sired Dru, who sired me, and then she re-sired Darla, so…oh, sod it! You try and figure it out."

"We are family," Lorne sang softly, trying to bring some humor to the situation.

Connor looked at the blond vampire and smirked. "Maybe I don't like acknowledging my vampire kin?"

Spike snorted. "I guess that's up to you, denial boy."

"Call me Connor and I won't call you 'BBB'."

"BBB?" Spike replied, already liking this part of his family, even if the spawn was bred by the queen bitch and the might poof.

"Bleached bottle blonde." Connor shrugged. "Oh, has anyone ever told you the eighties are over?"

"Yeah, and been told by better." Spike noticed that her Highness had taken a seat and was quietly watching the show. "Care to tell me how the hell you exist?"

"Can I share with you later?" Connor asked. "I'd rather get as far away from evil incorporated and then talk about resurrection, sex, death, and weird labor stories, along with growing up way too fast and furious. Then, if you can fit it in, I'd like to hear about my father's last battle with evil."

"That would depend on if you want to help me nab a baby from its uncaring bitch of a mother?" Spike smiled evilly.

"What!" Lorne gasped.

"That little nipper I nabbed from the evil-sitters from hell. Well, seems like his mother couldn't give a rat's arse about him," the blond vampire informed them. "I won't fail him, not after what we've already lost here. He deserves a chance."

Lorne looked at the vampire and felt for him. "So, boy wonder, have you thought of what to do with said infant when you've rescued it from its evil mother?"

"He comes with me and Blue, here, 'til we find him a good safe, clean, no-threat-of-being-sacrificed family," Spike reasoned. "With all those self-help books for dummies out there, we should be able to handle a small human for a week or so until we find someone to take him in."

The three of them looked at him like he had been nipping at the bottle while they hadn't been looking. "We can't take a baby on the road!" Lorne sputtered.

Spike smiled at the green demon. "You plannin' on comin' with us, Greenjeans? 'Cause you're more than welcome to travel with us."

Lorne knew they would make it with or without him; his biggest concern was if he could survive without them right now.

"Count me in, Captain Midnight. I'm sure we can find a decent home along the way for the mini boy wonder." The green demon smiled as the blond vamp offered up a glare that otherwise would've made him run.

Connor grinned as he looked over the rag-tag group and knew this was where he belonged. He felt the connection with Spike, something close to what he'd felt toward Angel the night the spell hiding his past had been broken by Wes. "Does this baby have a name?"

"I'm sure dear ol' mum gave him something, but we'll change it." Spike smirked. "The boy is getting a new chance on life, so with that he gets a new name."

"And that would be?" Lorne asked.

"I think I'll let the imp inspire me." Spike shrugged. "Whoever takes him on will change it any way."

"I agree." Lorne clapped his hands and rubbed them together. "So, let's get organized. We'll need diapers, formula, baby clothes, baby books, diaper bag…oh, the list is endless." He glanced over at Connor with a poignant smile. He had spent hours looking after him before Holtz had ripped the boy from their lives. The man's cruel actions had sent them all into a downward spiral, which had resulted in all of them either ending up dead or possessed by demon gods. He was the last of the AI gang left standing, and if his babysitting skills were going to be of help, then so be it.

"One step at a time." Spike winked. "How about you and the boy here go and get what we need."

"I'm not a boy." Connor glared at the vamp. "And what do we do for money?"

"It is a show of acceptance for him to call you by any name but your own," Illyria explained, having kept quiet as the others planned and talked. "I think we should go in and just take the infant and leave quickly. I think the rest of the Brethren will not wait for very long before they try to reclaim him."

Lorne sighed as he moved over behind the desk as he said, "Good think we never moved the emergency cash that Angel had hidden here in case something like this happened."

The others stood and watched as the empathy pulled up one of the boards and lifted out a big metal box. Inside the container was a large amount of cash along with several credit cards. "The cards will allow us to withdraw from some accounts that Angel put in fake names in case we needed to go underground."

"Hats off to Peaches for thinking ahead of the game he decided to play with Wolfie and Company." Spike nodded. "Angelus was always leaving backups. Good to see that part of him didn't go into hiding when the Poof came to be in control."

"The Poof?" Connor asked.

Spike chuckled. "Your dear old Dad, is who."

"You shouldn't speak ill of the dead." Conner glared.

"I'm not speakin' ill, it was a compliment, actually. Besides…vampire, he was already dead." Spike winked as he took the cards and looked at the alias his Grandsire had set up. "Very good; none he used while he was Angelus."

"All new names he made up before we entered the evil kingdom of doom and gloom," Lorne sighed.

"Alright, here's how it goes." Spike started to plot. "Me and Green Hornet here will try and find us a safe place to meet. Can't come back here, first place the baddies will look once they regroup and search for survivors.

"I think Junior and Blue here should do some sprog shopping, maybe pick up a book or two on baby care as well as all the things we'll need." Spike started to pace. "We will need a set of wheels that would accommodate the four of us and a baby."

"I know where we can get the getaway car," Lorne offered. "He won't ask questions."

"Okay, the ride is taken care of." Spike frowned. "Where to meet?"

"Cordy's place is still vacant, and I don't think they'd look there," Lorne offered. "Wesley kept it that way for Dennis' sake. The ghost didn't want anyone to live there after Cordy-well…he wanted time to grieve over his mistress." Lorne shot a glance at Conner as he spoke, wondering if Angel's son had any residual feelings for the dead seer.

"Know where that is?" Connor asked, pretending not to know. It was something he wasn't ready to talk about right now.

Connor watched as Lorne wrote down the address to Cordelia's apartment, along with simple instructions. He didn't know how he should react toward the mention of Cordy's name. So he did nothing. He'd talk to Lorne another time about it.

"Okay, let's try and be there about an hour before sunset. I want to grab the brat as soon s the sun goes down." Spike looked at the others. "Timing is important here. I can feel it in my bones that it'll mean life and death if we mess up here."

"Then we don't mess up," Connor said as he turned to the familiar blue female. "So, do you have a way to camouflage yourself?"

"Yes," she said as she easily transformed herself into Fred's image.

Connor felt lightheaded when he realized who stood before him. "Fred?" his voice shook in shock.

"She is the one who occupied this shell before I took over," Illyria explained. "I take it that you knew her as well?"

Connor felt like he was in a daze. "Yeah, I knew her."

"Then I'm sorry. Had I known, I would have warned you." She actually appeared apologetic, which was very unlike her, causing Lorne and Spike to wonder what was happening to the usually stoic and indifferent goddess.

"Sorry sweetness, I should have told you." Lorne sighed. "I promise that we'll take time to sit and talk about what has happened while you were away trying to be normal."

"Okay," the young man answered.

"Can you do this, Junior?" Spike asked, not realizing the boy had known who Fred was. "I'll understand if you can't."

Connor shook himself and got a hold of his emotions. "I can do this. The explanations can wait for a better time."

"That's taking it like a man in charge of his destiny." Spike clapped a hand on the boy's shoulder. "That talk will come and explanations given all around."

The vampire wanted them gone so he could move on and try to forget the memories that invaded his brain at the mention of trying to find a normal life. It reminded him of Buffy. How she had moved on to her so-called normal life with a being, he despised more than any thing or anyone in his entire existence.

Spike couldn't help his anger at how she accepted The Immortal so openly, yet treated him as though he was some dirty secret she had to hide. It seemed even the idiot Scoobies welcomed the bastard with arms wide open. He wondered if the beast slept with them, too. Spike shook himself out of the thoughts that should have no importance to him any longer.

From what Andrew had said, she knew he was alive. The knowledge that she wanted nothing to do with him- that her words of love were lies- cut him to the bone. Just her way of offering a dying vamp some cold comfort before his soul was sent to Hell. He had been right about not contacting her.

"Alright, kiddies, lets go and rescue a baby and start a new life for ourselves." Spike's gruff voice sounded forced and the others in the room noticed. They just didn't know the reason for the vamp's change in behavior as the anger radiated off of him.

"Okay, Ria, let's go." Connor forced as mile on his face as he accepted the cash and one of the credit cards from Spike.

"Ria?" The higher being glared.

"Yeah, I can't call you Fred or Illyria," Connor explained. "You can call me Ron. We might want to wear a hat or scarf so they don't recognize us, either."

"Ah, Aliases and disguises. Subterfuge. Your explanation makes sense." The blue goddess nodded, otherwise no emotion showed. She approached the vampire. "Do you need nourishment before I leave?"

Spike shook his head no. "Not yet, your Highness. I'll pick up some while we are out."

Illyria nodded, feeling slightly let down that he had not taken what had been offered, but she hid it well as she followed the young man who had been attracted to her when they had first met. Illyria tried not to think further about the vampire that had come to mean something to her, she just hadn't figured out what."

"I'll bring the car to the back entrance and meet you there," Lorne instructed as he moved toward the door. "So don't forget your blanket and sun block."

"Yeah, meet you there." Spike agreed as he put the metal box under his arm and moved quickly upstairs to grab a few blankets.

One his way back down, something told him to load up on as many weapons he could carry. He opened up the weapons cabinet and spotted a set of carved knives in a special shoulder holster. He picked them up and while looking for a sack to carry them in, he noticed a weathered scroll tucked away in the bottom of the cabinet. Angel must have hidden it there. By the discoloration and frayed edges, Spike knew it was very old. Thus, in his mind, it was something important to have. He quickly added it to shiny knife set.

Spike never thought he'd feel this way, but he missed his grandsire. He really could use Peaches right now. Taking one last look around, knowing he'd never see this place again, Spike vowed quietly to Angel, wherever he might be.

"Give my promise to keep my eye on yours and Darla's spawn."

Using one of the blankets to cover himself, he made his way to the back door where Lorne was waiting for him.

*******
Chapter Four by Kimber
Author's Notes:
For those who are re reading this, is it easier to follow? I had mixed up my time zones and so I've moved most of the parts around......to better follow the time line of time zones........
Rome May 14th 12 a.m.

Buffy sat on the windowsill staring up at the moon. It had been several hours since Giles had called, but she couldn't sleep. She wasn't used to going to bed before three in the morning after doing a bit of patrolling. The clock on her bedside table told her it was not even midnight.

She thought about the first time she met Angel and how mysteriously sexy he was. She recalled the feeling of disappointment when she first found out he was a vampire, but still being unable to shake the attraction she had for him, thus leading to him becoming her first lover.

Presently she chose to ignore all the badness that had helped to seal their forced nonexistent lovey-dovey relationship that led him to leaving her and going off to L.A. She thought of how he had been the second, no third, man to leave her at that time.

First was Merrick; he had to go and get himself killed by Lothos. Pike never called her again after she told him she was moving to Sunnydale. Next to leave was her father. And then Angel, the vampire with a soul who claimed to love her too much to stay, saying she deserved a normal life. Like being the Slayer would give her any chance at a normal lifestyle. The last thing she wanted to think about was Riley, or Parker.

Giles had even left her; not once but twice. The first time when she really needed him most, after Sweet forced her to admit that she'd been in Heaven. Granted, he had come back to help save the world from evil Willow, but then he left her again, taking the broken witch back with him so the coven could heal Willow. This left her alone to work things out for herself again, not realizing she was still broken as well.

The last significant other to leave her, and the most memorable to date, was Spike. Spike left her to earn his soul for her after the event in her bathroom. He came back into her life when she needed him the most, at a time he should've been the last person she could trust. He gave his unlife to close the Hellmouth for her, so that she could move on and be normal girl. That was her Spike, and it hurt to think he didn't believe her when she said she loved him.

The feelings she had when she kissed Angel that night in Sunnydale when he had brought her the amulet were still felt fresh in her mind. It was then that she realized she wasn't in love with him anymore. After being with him, she started to see what she had been denying for a very long time. She loved Angel, but as any young girl would feel about their first love.

That night however, she accepted the fact she was in love with someone else now, yet another vampire. It surprised her how Spike could still love her so deeply after she had treated him so poorly over the years.

She was the same girl who had hurt him so many different times, in so many different ways, and had yet to tell him she was sorry. Her treatment of him should have pushed him away from her. He shouldn't have allowed himself to continue to be her doormat or punching bag, or let her use him the way she did after coming back from Heaven.

She looked over at the picture of her and Nick and realized she would never be in love with him. Yes, she did care about him in a way, but she was not in love with him. Something told her she'd never find anyone that would replace Spike in her heart.

Nevertheless, Nick was there for her, and for now, she was willing to give him a chance. Even though her little inner voice was sending messages not to trust him, whispering in the back of her mind, telling her that something about him wasn't right.

She had talked to Dawn and Giles about it, and both told her she might just be using that as an excuse to keep him from getting too close to her. A part of her believed that could be the reason, but still, that inner voice grew slowly in intensity, telling her that she should find out more about him.

She couldn't help but notice how that funny little voice got louder whenever he was away from her. It was something she'd make sure to talk to Willow about tomorrow. Something told her the redhead would be calling her once she found out about Angel.

"God, Andrew, please find it was all rumor and that Angel is alive and well and working to help the helpless, but with better pay and benefits," the slayer mumbled as she fought back a yawn and knew she was losing the battle and needed her sleep.

She went over and pulled out a pair of sweats and a tank top and changed into them. She wanted to be ready to go out running in case the news was bad and she needed to burn off some energy. The last thing she needed was to take her grief out on those she cared about, or on the punching bag, and therefore her hands and feet.

After getting in bed and pulling up the covers, she remembered coming home with the amulet and finding Spike taking out his own frustrations on a poor rendition of a fanged Angel. She couldn't stop smiling at the funny thought. The memory of how she had felt the need to take Spike to bed at that time and prove to him who she really wanted brought up more regrets. Like a fool, she had waited too late, thinking if she didn't tell him she loved him he would be standing there after the battle waiting for her, and then they could make love until the cows came home. She closed her eyes and softly cried herself to sleep.

*******

Dawn had been ready to knock on the door when she heard her sister’s tears. She really didn’t know how to deal with Buffy when she got like this, and she often found herself angry at Buffy's stupid slayer pride and her thinking she didn't need anyone.

The younger Summers girl turned and went to her own room to pray that Nick would be home soon and that he would be able to help Buffy with the bad news. She never liked Angel and believed the news would be bad and the rumors true. She just hoped that others wouldn't make with the 'I told you so's’.

"I really don't think Buffy could handle that right now," she said to herself as she looked back toward the door, wishing Buffy had not shut her out.

*******

Brazil May 13th 7 p.m.

Willow looked up at the sunset, wondering if Buffy was asleep. She had not seen the Sunnydale Slayer since right before Buffy met Nick DeLuca, otherwise known as The Immortal. Since the night Buffy had been forced to step down that night in Sunnydale, things had not been the same between them; not like the old days when they'd talk about everything that was going on with each other.

She kept a magical connection with her best friend, just so she would know when to make the needed follow up phone call if Buffy felt she needed someone to talk to. She knew now was not that time, but it would be soon.

With her schedule being so full, it was hard to travel and visit the Summers household. Searching for new slayers and the old books she was trying to find to replace for the Council took up most of her time. She kept close tabs on Dawn via email. The younger loved to talk about things concerning Wicca and magic.

"Funny, I just realized, I haven't talked to Dawn at all this week," she muttered to herself, putting it on the list to do tomorrow after talking with Buffy.

She’d retreated into her study after she and Kennedy argued over the Buffy and Angel matter. Kennedy felt no slack should be given to the blonde slayer, since it appeared her judgment had been clouded by her feelings about an old flame.

'Didn't help when I told her how wrong we were about Buffy's instincts about Spike, and that she had been right all along about Caleb and what he was hiding at the vineyard,' Willow silently mused to herself.

Willow knew that their betrayal that night kept Buffy from truly trusting them again. It didn't help that they had placed their trust in Faith, of all people. That only added insult to injury for the blonde slayer and it must have really hurt as well.

'Then there was Giles going behind her back and keeping her occupied while Robin tried to kill Spike. I'm sure that didn't help matters in the end,' she mused, wondering where Giles' mind was back then. 'I wonder if he was somehow under the influence of The First?'

The thing that mystified her was the fact she had yet to meet Nick. After hearing everyone talk about how wonderful he was, even though few of them had even met him, her little red light was saying, 'danger, danger.'

She didn't know why, but what little she had managed to find on him in her research made him look very suspicious in her book. For as old as he supposedly was, there was very little information, other than it appeared he had used many different names throughout history. Something told her that Buffy would not believe her if she voiced her suspicions. Not right now, anyway. More concrete evidence would be needed, and she knew who to call and get it.

The witch walked over to the phone and dialed a familiar number, waiting impatiently for someone to pick up the phone.

"Hello," a perky voice answered the phone, making Willow relax for the first time in a long time. She smiled as she returned the greeting. "Hello, back."

"Willow, me dear child, it is so wonderful to hear your voice!" Agnes practically yelled through the phone. "Please, tell me you are coming for a visit. It has been far too long and you would be a sight for me poor eyes, dearie."

The redheaded witch felt the warmth of her mentor's words. They'd become very close during her intense therapy after the incident with Tara. "I was hoping to come and see you tomorrow. I have something I really need to talk to you about."

"My girl, you are always welcome in my home," Agnes cooed. She knew that her Willow was coming for information about The Immortal; information she would need to save her friends and herself when the time came to face him down. "But let us leave the chatter until you get here. No need to waste money on talk that could be done for free."

Willow laughed. "Yes, free talk is good. Very good, in fact."

"Good. Just call and leave me your flight arrangements, and I'll arrange for someone to pick you up at the airport," Agnes offered.

"I think that would be my best bet on such short notice. I'll call you tomorrow with the details," Willow answered, feeling like she made the right choice. ‘If anyone can help me figure out what is going on and how to best help Buffy, Agnes will know what to do.’

Willow smiled as she hung up the phone and called the airport to make flight arrangements. She knew as she talked with the airline that after this, she and Kennedy would be over. There was no way her lover could go, since her negativity would interfere more than help Willow do what she might need to do.

*******

Cleveland May 13th 9 p.m.

Robin cursed all undead creatures that had fangs, no heartbeats, and cold dead bodies but were able to still walk, talk, and muck up peoples lives. He watched as Faith pulled away from him, both physically and mentally.

He just never understood the freaky relationship she had with Angel. He didn't care that Angel had somehow pulled her back to the light. He truly believed she would have found her way back anyway. Not only that, but finding out that Spike had not been the first vampire lover that Buffy had was just another mark against her in his book.

"Faith, do you want to talk about it?" He figured he could at least make another effort to try again to understand it all.

"Man, you wouldn’t understand. Nobody would. Well, maybe B would." Faith looked out across the backyard. "Do you know he chose me over Buffy once? Not sex, but he chose to help me against her wishes."

"I bet that hurt yours and Buffy’s relationship," Robin snorted.

Faith looked at him with a raised eyebrow as she continued. "Nah, me and B already had our differences, big time. I betrayed her in a bad way; even after she tried to help me. But then, being the good slayer that she was. She knew she had to kill me if she couldn't reform me. I was too dangerous being evil to be left alive."

"So that's why she gave you such a hard time when you came to help us?"

"Yep, a lot of history, and most of it bad between us. At one point, while I was working for the Mayor, I tried to get Angel to sleep with me so we could bring Angelus into the fold." Faith chuckled. "But the white hats had already anticipated that and set me up. Then, Buffy put me in a coma and took down the Mayor, proving once again that she was the best of the best."

"But if you reformed?" He looked at her questioningly.

"Oh, but lover, it didn't end there. When I woke up, I did a switch-a-roo with her body and mine and slept with her new boyfriend, Riley. I also did a little sexual head game with Spike, flirting and bragging what my slayer muscles could do to him. That was before he and Buffy had their little thing."

"Does seem like you were busy making Buffy's life hell." Robin crossed his arms and leaned back on the porch railing. It was the first he'd heard about his lover's past, and he was trying not to be judgmental.

"Yeah, but then came Angel to the rescue. He helped me see who I had become and gave me the courage to change it; to take responsibility for what I had done. Even in prison, he kept in touch and made sure I was doing okay. Even Wesley had taken an interest in me and my future. The fact that they broke me out of jail and sent me to Sunnydale told me how much they believed in me."

"So, you think that because of Angel, you're a better person?"

"Yeah. If not for Angel, the Council would have had reason to kill me, cause man, I wouldn't have gotten better on my own." Faith sighed as she looked over at the man she had come to love, who taught her what it meant to love and to be loved.

"But he turned evil," Wood stated calmly.

"Did he, or did someone turn him evil, or is it all a lie? You don't really know him, know how much behind the good fight he really was; he and his little gang of demon crime fighters." Faith shrugged. "We’ll have to wait for Andrew's report, and then I might have to do a little snooping on my own."

"Faith, you have a responsibility here."

"Robin, I also have friends that I care about and want to know the truth about what happened to them and why. Was there something I could have done? Something I can learn that will help me be a better friend in the future? It's something I have to do for me, for them." She looked at him. "I owe him that much; to make sure it all went down just like it gets reported, ‘cause my little tingles are telling me it's not how it looks."

Robin snorted and turned away saying, "What is it about slayers and vampires? You and Buffy with Angel, and then there's Buffy with Spike and Angel."

"Hey, I can't speak for Buffy, but as for Angel and Spike, I can vouch they did love her. Hell, Spike died for her so she could move on to a more normal life. That night he kicked my ass, man…that's when I knew he was telling us the truth. We turned our back on Buffy. I overstepped my authority when I took the group clubbin'. I can see that now. I undermined Buffy's authority and caused them to lose faith in her."

"Hey, they were losing faith in her long before that," Robin defended her right to have had a shot at being in charge.

"No, The First played with our heads and we let it. It made her appear weak, playing its games, but she kept finding ways to fight back. She never stopped fighting and looking beyond the shit it was sending our way. Buffy knew that and that's why she never stopped looking, kept looking outside the box. We fell for the mind fuck and in turn, we betrayed her. The only reason those girls backed me that night was because I took them out and showed them a good time, blew off some steam."

"Faith, I think you are being too hard on yourself and the others."

"I'm just stating the facts, something we never acknowledged as a group." Faith snorted. "I had told her that night that I never wanted it to turn out like that. She just told me to be brave and to lead them."

"And you did."

"Yeah, into a fuckin' trap, that's where I led them." Faith rolled her eyes. "You see, that night Spike came back and called us on it. Well, I agree with everything he said. Buffy had never let us down, always ready to do what was best. Why do you think she has lasted so long? No slayer has lived as long as she has, and now we know why. She thinks outside the box and she refuses to ask anyone to do anything she's not willing to do herself. Did you know she died saving the world once?"

"Yeah, Giles told me one night over tea and brandy." Robin looked over and noticed the sad look on her face.

"I'm not so sure I could have done that, nor could I have killed someone that I loved to close the gates of Hell." Faith smirked. "But she did, no questions asked. No 'God, do I have to?' She just did it and took on the repercussions that followed."

"Is that when Angel had become Angelus and was going to release Hell on earth?" Robin looked over toward her with a skeptical look on his face.

"Yeah, after he had lost his soul after a night of bliss with Buffy." Faith smiled. "And guess who helped Buffy against his nature?"

Robin looked confused at first and then surprised as it dawned on him. "Spike?"

"Yep, the blonde wonder vamp came to offer his assistance, 'cause he didn't want the world to change." Faith laughed about that. "Goes to show you what a night of ice cream with a teenager will get you." She thought about the late nights after leaving Sunnydale spent talking with Dawn.

"So, I guess it's wait and see what Andrew has to report, and then you will decide if you need to look further into it or not?" Robin asked, as he looked down at his shoes.

"Yeah, it does. I can't trust Andrew of all people to know how to get the truth on something like this." Faith shrugged. "I hope you can understand that I need to do this for me, and I also have to do it for Angel and Buffy. She deserves to know the truth, and if it's true he turned into evil Angelus, I want to know why, and how the others got involved."

"Fine." Robin looked up and met her stare. "I will support you to a point-" He held up his hand to stop her from interrupting. "The point will be when there is no doubt in my mind that he acted on his own and no one turned him evil, making him lose his soul."

Faith nodded her head as she agreed with him. "That seems fair."

"Okay, so how about we go do a quick patrol and come back and spend quality time together before calling it a night." Robin winked.

"I'd say I'm five by five with that plan, Woody." Faith smiled seductively at him.

"Hey, I'll give you Woody in a minute."

"Was plannin' on it, baby." The dark haired slayer blew him a kiss as she checked and made sure she had her stakes before heading off the porch. Feeling the cool air of May with a hint of rain in the air, Faith remarked, "Man, the climate here in Cleveland sucks. In Cali, man, I wouldn't have to wear this much gear."

"Well, maybe I can help take care of that extra gear when we get back." The dark skinned man chuckled.

"Only if you promise to do everything in your power to keep me warm and happy," Faith tossed her head and replied.

"Like you have to ask." Wood again snorted as he watched her walk in front of him, her bottom swaying to and fro, wishing they could cancel patrol altogether and start with the undressing and warming up part.

Instead, he smiled and called out, "Thank you for sharing tonight, honey." Letting her know he still loved her and appreciated that she had opened up and talked to him instead of her usual keep it to herself defense mode.

"Thank you for listening, babe." Faith was totally surprised that he had taken it all so well.

Robin understood that his lady would do as she said, for she had a fierce code of loyalty she lived by. He also understood that she felt she owed Angel the respect to make sure everything said about him and his crew tonight was indeed true.

All she asked of him was to trust in her to do the right thing. He only hoped he could.

*******
Chapter Five by Kimber
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank everyone that has reviewed in the past, and present.
Los Angeles May 13th 6 p.m.


As soon as the sun went down, Spike and Connor exited the vehicle, moving toward the single house. The vampire could feel himself becoming excited, wondering if he would get a chance for a little rough and tumble. They had watched the house for several hours to see if anyone other than the baby and his mother was living there.

The last time he'd been there, he didn't stay long enough to see how many people actually lived there. He just noticed how the baby's mother did not seem happy to see the baby. He'd left wondering if she felt anything at all for her own flesh and blood.

The look on her face had reminded him of someone, who he’d rather not think about at this moment in time. However, no matter how hard he tried, he could never stop thinking about her at least a million times a day. It just happened that this woman's reaction had brought back the bad memories of his girl coming to terms with her being pulled out of Heaven.

He looked at the young man walking beside him and knew that Angel would be proud of his son right now. It was still hard to believe that something not evil being produced by the Poof and the Master's favorite childe.

"Well, I guess it a done deal then, and the adventure begins. Four demons and a baby on a road trip to somewhere." Connor snorted as Spike rang the doorbell.

"Yeah, no turning back now, I rang the damn bell." Spike said with a smirk before letting his serious, 'I mean business,' look take over when the petite blond woman answered the door.

She looked at the vampire and immediately recognized him. "You're here for him, aren't you?"

Spike was taken back at first with her calling her son 'him,'

"Yeah, I'm here for him."

She looked past him and noticed the younger male. "He's in his room. It's the second door on the left." She said as she opened the door further, allowing them to enter.

Spike and Connor entered quickly before she changed her mind and shut the door in their faces. "Man this is just too easy," Connor thought.

They moved quickly down the hallway and entered the darkened room. Spike vamped out for a second so he could see the light switch, and then resumed his human form just before he turned on the light.

"Don't need to take a chance she might have second thoughts about a vampire taking her kiddie." He mumbled under his breath.

When the light turned on he moved quickly over to the crib, wanting to make sure the baby was okay. He could hear the fast heartbeat and the baby's breathing and knew the infant was indeed alive, he just wanted to make sure the little one had not suffered at his uncaring mother's hands.

Spike looked down at the baby lying, sleeping in the old battered crib. He remembered the first time he met the little tyke the night before. There was a connection between them when their eyes had met, right before he killed the Fell Brethren and liberated the imp from his future killers.

Then he had brought the infant to the woman who had given birth to him, thinking she would want to take care of her son. From what he noticed, the woman had no real interest in being a mother let alone caring about the baby in any way.

"So, you don't mind we want to take your son?" the blonde vampire asked as he looked at Amanda's blank face, as she stood watching them from the doorway.

"No, I can't take care of him and me, too." Amanda looked from the baby to the man who had brought the baby back to her, and now had returned for him.

"You can come with us," Connor offered her, as he looked on in shock at how unfeeling the woman appeared to feel about the life she had carried in her body for all those months.

Connor looked around the room that served as the baby's nursery. The first thing he noticed when they had first entered was the bareness of the room. The only thing that alerted them that the baby was there was the beat up crib sitting alone in the middle of the room.

The room was dark and depressing with a low watt bulb that kept the areas around the crib in shadows. The shades were pulled, and no curtains on the windows that could have added some color to the room. "Looks more like a prison than a room for a baby," Connor thought to himself.

A raggedy looking chest in the corner was the only other piece of furniture present in the room. No toys or baby things were seen lying around, no baby powder or anything that you would need to take care of a baby. He compared it to the rest of the house that had newer furniture, and knick-knacks that made the other rooms appear lived in.

"God this is pathetic." Connor could not help but compare this baby's short life to his. Here stood this woman who was a mother and had a chance to make a life with her son but did not care about him. His mother, who was supposed to be evil, staked herself so he could be born. Connor shook his head to try and clear his thoughts. "They said Darla was an evil soulless demon, hell, what would you call this bitch?"

Amanda turned and walked out the door, knowing the men in the room did not understand that she had distanced herself the day the Fell leader had approached her about how special her son was and that she would need to give him up, so he could live up to his true potential.

Spike looked over at Angel and Darla's spawn and knew from the look on the boy's face he was comparing his mother with this woman who gave human mothers a bad name. "Hell, Junior, I know a lot of evil demons that treat their offspring better than her."

"Don't call me Junior!" Connor glared at this uncle, cousin, or whatever relation he was to him.

Spike chuckled as he looked closely at the boy and noticed the similarities about the boy that reminded him of the two members of his family. "Can't help it, kid, you are your father's son after all." Laughing harder as the youngster's glare turned deadly. "Help the helpless and all that rot."

Connor could not help but smile when he realized the vamp was complimenting him, as well as his dad. He watched as the vampire turned his attention to the small infant and placed his hands in the crib.

"Hello, poppet, Uncle Spike's back to take you away from this paradise," Spike softly spoke as he gathered what little belongings were in the crib and putting them in a small pile. "Kid, go and pack up the bag."

Connor took the duffle bag over to the chest. He went through it drawer by drawer not finding anything other than some diapers, a few changes of clothes, some socks, and a couple of blankets.

"Hell, barely anything here," Connor mumbled, just enough that his companion heard him.

Spike smiled sadly as he wrapped the sleeping infant snuggly into the blankets that were in the crib, gently picking up the bundle of warmth into his arms. He watched as the little one's face scrunched up slightly before relaxing back into a peaceful look and staying asleep. "That's right little one, I gotcha now, nothin's gonna eat you up. Not as long as I walk this earth."

Connor smiled, keeping his back to the walking undead of contradictions. Be that he had a soul or not. It just proved what a softy the blonde vamp really was.

Connor moved over to join Spike by the crib. "I have everything, what little there was that is."

"Well, then, we're off, so far so good. Hey, Kid, don't forget to take the sheet." Spike couldn’t help but smirk as he commented further. "I love it when a plan goes down like clock work. Don't happen much when I'm doing the planning."

The kid smiled as he followed the vamp out of the room. "So, have you decided upon a name yet?" Connor asked as they moved toward the kitchen, so they could leave out the back.

"Aidan Quinn Worthington, after my grandfather on my mum's side." Spike closed his eyes for a brief moment as he thought of his grandfather. The strong, yet gentle man had been his major male figure growing up. He'd taken the place of his father who had died in a duel defending his mistress's honor, disgracing his mother and his family.

They moved quickly toward the kitchen, when they noticed the baby formula and bottles sitting on the table. Connor shrugged his shoulders as he picked up the items and placed them in the bag. "Don't think it will go to waste."

"They’re here, you had better leave quickly and quietly out the back," Amanda whispered from the doorway. "I’ll delay them for as long as I can, tell them that I just put him down for a nap and offer them some tea.."

Spike noticed for the first time a spark of something in the woman's eyes. "You can come with us."

"No, then they’ll take him again and there will be no hope of him living past his thirteenth birthday." She started to cry. "I had given up hope once they took him the first time, of ever seeing him again. I knew I couldn't fight them, even with the law firm's help. I believe you can, and I will give you that chance, now go."

"You should come." Connor felt the need to try and convince the woman to join them.

"I will only hold you back, please go. I will live through him, if he dies then it's all for not," she pleaded as she waved him away.

"I promise to protect him with my life," Spike promised.

"I know." She smiled for the first time. "Now, please just go, run. I love the name you chose for him, it's beautiful." She blew a kiss at the baby before turning and going to the front of the house.

"Connor, we have to go, now," Spike growled, hoping to make the boy move quickly.

Connor glared at the vampire, but moved to follow him out the back door. They ran down the steps, with Spike keeping watch to make sure none of the demons had come around back. He was sure they didn’t suspect that someone was taking their prized sacrifice from under their noses yet again. They ran toward the back gate that led to the alley, where Illyria and Lorne were waiting for them.

As the gate closed they heard a scream, causing Connor to stop and turn as if he was about to return to the house. Spike's words stopped him.

"She made her choice. Don't let her death be in vain," Spike whispered harshly. "Now get your arse in gear and let's go before we’re caught."

Connor hung his head, feeling torn, as the screams grew louder. It was obvious she was being tortured, and her death was going to be painful. He quickly turned and ran, following the vamp, thanking God that the sun was down and the lighting in the alley was just enough he could see so not to trip over something, but enough they could move quickly in the shadows.

Spike heard the baby start to whimper. "Shush, little one. Now is not the time to let people know you're alive and well in this world." He started to purr as they continued to run toward the recreational vehicle that was just a few feet away at the far end of the alley.

*******

Lorne had noticed about four Fell Brethrens pull up to the house that Blondie and the kid had entered earlier. He quickly returned to the RV he and Spike had purchased earlier. He just hoped all that came running down the alley was two demons and a baby.

He opened the driver's door and climbed in, turning the key that he had left in the ignition. "A few uninvited guests decided to crash the baby napping party."

"The Fell has arrived?" The blue-haired demon asked as her hand reached for the door handle.

"Yep, but stop right there Miss Blue stuff. Spike's a smart vamp, so we just need to wait, he will be here." Lorne winked as he looked back using first the passenger's side view mirror and then the driver's side. "He doesn't need to add us to his list of worries, except that we’re here and ready to go when he gets here."

"Yes, but what about the boy?" Illyria asked, still not sure if the boy would be up to protecting the vampire.

"He can hold his own, believe you me. The boy has moves that have moves," Lorne stated, offering the woman reassurance.

He was surprised at how protective the demon had become of the blonde boy wonder. The green demon just prayed to any God that would listen that he was right, and soon their two companions would join them.

Both demons watched closely, ready to help if any of the uninvited guests followed and would need to be dealt with.

"They’re here, coming up behind us and so far alone, but in a hurry," Illyria said. "It appears they have the small one as well."

"Good, then we can hit the road Jack, and never come back," Lorne softly sang.

"Who is Jack?" The blue demon cocked her head to the side trying to remember this Jack ever being mentioned.

"No, de-lovely, it's a figure of speech. Something I will try and explain further at a later date." Lorne sighed, forgetting whom it was really sitting next to him for a moment.

"You have lived with the humans for too long." She shook her head in disgust.

"Well, they are the majority at the moment, and they really are not that bad." Lorne shrugged. "Live and learn is my motto, and so far I have learned that good and bad live in all walks of life, you just have to choose if you want to walk in the dark or the light."

Illyria looked at the demon who continued to surprise her. "You left, why?"

"Because I would've been useless in a fight, and someone would have been hurt or killed because of me." Lorne smiled sadly for a moment. "And who would have driven the get away car if I had perished in battle?"

The warrior Goddess nodded as she looked, again, at the demon she had mistakenly thought was a coward and would be useless to them. "You surprise me, and that is good."

"Thanks, I think?" Lorne looked questionably at the other demon.

"You will be an asset to us. It is a brave man that knows his weakness and does not let his pride cause him to make poor decisions. You are not a coward as I first thought." Illyria sighed.

She looked at him and nodded before she turned her attention back to their companions, making sure they were still not being followed, and did not need her help. The feeling of relief at seeing the vampire safely join them surprised her. Wondering when Spike had become important to her.

Lorne felt a sense of relief course through him when she had said she did not think him a coward. He pulled on the gloves and adjusted his hat, so if someone looked at him driving they might over look his green skin.

*******

Spike allowed Connor to pass him up so the young man could open the door so he and the baby could quickly enter the RV. They had decided the recreational vehicle would be best for their travels. It would help with everyone's special needs, especially keeping a light sensitive vampire from turning to dust, and they would be able to heat up the baby's bottle as they traveled, as well as private facilities for some of the other occupants' body functions.

"Get us out of here quick, but quiet-like," Spike said as he entered the vehicle, his eyes connecting with the green demon's through the rearview mirror. "Better let the kid drive, would look funny if one of them noticed a demon driving if they have any look outs posted."

Connor and Lorne quickly exchanged places as Spike took a seat close to the front, smiling at Illyria as he did so before giving his full attention to the baby in his arms. Connor smiled as he put it in drive and slowly drove out of the alley, looking back to make sure no one was coming up from behind, silently sighing in relief when he didn't notice anyone there.

*******

Meanwhile in the house the four demons looked at the blood soaked walls and cursed the woman for being so strong willed.

"I was so sure she'd tell us who she gave the infant too," the leader growled. "We must find him or we will perish."

"It will be hard, since we have no idea who has taken the baby." The second in command sighed, wondering who would've done this and why.

"Do you think she just gave him up?"

"No, if that was the case, she would have told us where he was once we arrived and asked for him," the leader replied. "No, someone who knows why he is important has him, and she was protecting them."

"But all that was involved is dead, or in support of us," the second in command said as he looked down at the mutilated lifeless body of the woman who served as the vessel to their salvation. "We must find him, for we do not have time to impregnate another so she could give birth in time for our needs."

"We could have a witch perform a locator spell." One of the others suggested.

"Nothing is left here that belonged to the baby. They even took the bed sheet off the bed." The leader snarled. "That makes it impossible for a locator spell to be performed."

"We need to contact the partners and see if they know who had the information about the baby's importance. Maybe they will be able to help us," the second in command suggested, not liking the look in his leader's eyes.

"They have a lot to explain as it is." The leader snorted. "They are the reason the circle was destroyed, and the Black Thorn is no longer in power. We will need to sit back and see who is brought into the fold and who will be brought to power now."

"We can go to him'," the second in command suggested.

"No, he is busy with his own little game right now, and would quickly dismiss us for distracting him from his goal," the leader informed them. "No, we will have to wait and see who comes into power. We have until the boy's thirteenth birthday, so we do have some time before we need to resort to drastic measures."

"You are right, my Lord," the second command agreed, as did the other two as they nodded their heads.

"Now, let us go and see what we can do for ourselves. I think we need to call a meeting so the others will know what is going on and can send out our feelers," the leader said as they stepped over the dead woman and walked out of the house. The sirens in the background telling them they should not linger any longer. The ignorant human law enforcers would be here soon.

*******
Chapter Six by Kimber
Author's Notes:
The Buffy/other is in Xander's dream. This chapter the scenes are different then in the previous chapt 6......
Los Angeles May 13th 7 p.m.


They had been on the road for about 15 minutes and so far it appeared that no one was following them. Slowly the tension eased as they each took a moment to let what had just happened to sink in. Spike could remember her screams; his gut telling him the infant in his care was now truly an orphan.

No one spoke as the kid drove the large RV, toward downtown L.A. taking them closer to the interstate, but also further into enemy territory. The plan being that once they accomplished the mission then they would discuss where they should go.

Aidan decided at that time to wake up. He hardly made a sound as he whimpered softly, but enough to cause the others to jump at the noise that broke the quiet around them. His baby blue eyes opened up, catching the vampire's attention.

"There, there, poppet, the big bad here, knows just what ya need little one," Spike said as he looked down at the infant buckled in the car seat beside him.

Their eyes met, and like before, they connected somehow, even with just the lighting coming from the streetlights filtering through. It was like the time they'd first locked eyes when the vampire had rescued the infant. Spike felt a strong need to protect the little one, and it was almost like their meeting was meant to be.

"So does precious here have a name?" Lorne asked softly, not wanting to scare the baby into crying.

The green demon noticed the special bond between the member of the undead, and the innocent life they'd just rescued for the second time. He looked questionably at the peroxide blonde vampire and wondered again about the obvious bond that was between the vamp and the baby. It also brought back memories of when he to had fallen for a baby once.

Connor quickly replied, "Spike named him, Aidan Quinn Worthington, after his grandfather. I really don't think his mother named him yet."

Spike glowered at Angel and Darla's offspring, for telling his secret concerning the name he chose for the baby and why. He had not meant to share the reason for the name he had chosen with the others of their group. He silently chastised himself for opening his big mouth in the first place.

"Aidan, that means flame, fire, fiery. Quinn means wise. Good choices I think." Lorne winked at the vampire, who was looking a bit embarrassed and annoyed at the same time. "Your grandfather must have been a good man."

Spike looked over at the green demon and nodded saying, "He was a very good man, the best." He carefully removed the baby from car seat.

"Then his blood must be very strong to still run in your veins." Lorne nodded firmly, seeing the look of amazement come over the blonde's face at his comment. "So what do you say I heat up a bottle for Aidan?"

"Yeah, and I'll change his nappy." Spike sighed, wondering when he'd become so domesticated.

Then he realized- his road to domestication began a few years ago when Dru was injured and then fell ill in Prague. It deepened the night he assumed the care of a teenager breaking into the magic shop. The fact was that his nurturing nature must have been there all along, but there hadn't been a reason to put it to use.

It was something Angelus had beaten out of him during his formative years as a vampire. But not enough that The Judge had not been able to overlook. He in fact had smelt the humanity that was still apart of him. It was just buried so deep inside the demon he, himself had no idea it was there.

"Where does a vampire learn about babies?" Lorne asked as Spike followed him to the kitchen area, noticing the thoughtful expression on Spike's face.

Spike chuckled as he answered, "The Internet, I paid attention around witchy pooh, learning about google and other search engines. It enhanced what I already knew, of course. Did a bit of quick reading when the poof gave me the assignment to recover the mini half pint. You know, just in case I got stuck with him and had to take care of him."

"Speed read much?" Connor laughed from the driver's seat, listening to the conversation. He couldn't help but wonder if his own father was this curious when he was a baby.

"Just skimmed through what I thought important." Spike shrugged as he lay Aidan down on the small couch after grabbing the diaper bag they had purchased earlier that day.

The blonde vampire gently undid the blanket from the infant who kept looking up at him. "Not lookin' forward to a dirty nappy mind you." Spike winked, knowing there was nothing there, only a wet diaper.

He unsnapped the faded jumper and removed the little legs exposing the diaper. He looked down at the baby with a look of suspicion and fear. "Now, don’t be givin' Uncle Spike any surprises, now," he said as he tried to figure out how to undo the diaper.

"Not lookin' too hard. Sticker part goes in the back. Good thing too, wouldn't want to stick you with a diaper pin, or my thumb, either," Spike mumbled as he unfastened the diaper.

Reaching over, taking one of the wipes out of its container, all the while keeping the baby's penis covered. He used the disposable cloth to clean the baby's groin area, and then got another one to clean the boy's bottom. He looked for any sign of a rash. The information had warned not changing diapers regularly could cause one. Having noticed none, he then replaced the diaper without any difficulty, feeling very proud of himself.

Aidan's smile, during the diaper change, sealed his fate with the smitten vamp. Spike vowed he would do everything in his power to protect him, no matter the cost. No one or nothing would separate them.

"So how do we warm up his bottle? I think the microwave might not be the right choice," Spike said, watching the green demon as he poured the formula into the baby bottle.

Lorne thought about it for a moment and then smiled at himself as he remembered a trick Cordelia had showed him. "Heat up some water in the micro and then set the bottle in it so it will warm up that way."

Lorne made his way to the cupboards, smiling as he looked until he found what he was searching for. Taking the bowl, he filled it with water and then put it in the microwave and programmed it for two minutes. When it dinged, he took out the hot water and eased the bottle down into it, making sure not to splash himself.

"So, anyone have any idea where we're going yet?" Connor asked when he started to see the signs alerting him that the interstate was close.

"I have some connections in Vegas we can trust," Lorne suggested. "No better city to get lost in." The green demon smiled, thinking it would be a great place for them to rest and recoup before making the major life decisions they would need to make.

"Sounds like a plan," Spike replied as he lifted Aidan back into his arms. "Hey, Greenjeans, check the bottle, yeah."

Lorne picked up the bottle and dropped a few drops on his wrist as he had done when Conner was a baby. "Hey, sweet pea, soups on, feels nice a warm."

Spike accepted the bottle, placing the nipple at the baby's lips and said, "Here ya go poppet, bon appetite.

Both demons smiled when the baby latched on to the nipple and started to suck hard and fast. Causing Spike to chuckle and say, "Hey, not to fast little one."

"Well, honey, I think he has your appetite." Lorne winked as he watched the amused vampire. "Don't forget to burp him, or we will have a cranky imp on our hands."

"Which way is it to Vegas?" Connor asked, feeling happy to be a part of this. Thinking for some reason that his father would be shocked at how Spike was acting right now.

"Oh, sorry, sweet cheeks, take Interstate 10 north to Ontario, and then Interstate 15 until we hit the big sign that reads, 'Welcome to Las Vegas', and then I will direct you where to go," Lorne replied. "We are only about four, maybe five hours away."

"Just let me know when you get tired of driving," Spike offered.

"You take care of baby things, and I'll take care of driving, thanks." Connor chuckled. "Uncle Spike."

"Hey, don't smart mouth your elders, boy," Spike playfully reprimanded the kid as he winked down at his boy. "Don't you go learning his bad habits, and mind your manners. Will save you some future spankings it will."

Illyria watched as the three males bantered back and forth, realizing they were bonding over the humor they were using. She could tell that they were growing closer and wondered where that would leave her in the vampire's life. During this time she'd come to rationalize why the vampire had become important to her. The fact she let him feed from her was the only thing she had come up with. What she couldn't understand was why the infant was coming to mean something to her.

"I'll fix the pillows and blankets on the floor by the couch for precious," Lorne offered as he noticed the baby's eyes growing heavy as he continued to feed. "How old do think he is?"

"He was born on May fourth, on the full moon. So that makes him nine days old today," Spike replied, as he gently pulled the bottle out of the baby's mouth. "So, Greens, can you tell me how to burp the little one here?"

Connor noticed how gentle the vampire handled the baby under Lorne's instructions. He couldn't help but wonder if his father took care of him in the same loving manner. Lorne noticed the look on the kid's face, his instincts telling him the boy was thinking about when he was a baby.

The Pylean knew he would soon need to talk to the youngster about when he was a baby. Then, he might get the boy to understand just how much his father had enjoyed being with him during the short time they had together.

"What do we know about this small human?" Illyria asked, wanting them to remain open minded to the fact they could be protecting the killer of the human race. Shocking herself at being so concerned about what happened to mere mortals. "He could grow up and kill all of us and be the terminator of human existence," she continued, her words sounding concerned, but her tone indifferent.

Spike nodded as his eyes met her, acknowledging what she was implying taking his time before he replied, "Time will tell, but if he was such a danger to humanity, they wouldn't have been planning his death when he turned thirteen. So I think for now we're safe."

Aidan's loud burp caused Spike to chuckle as he then resumed feeding the baby some more. Since the mini half pint acted as if he had not eaten in days, the vampire couldn't help but ask himself when the last time his mother fed the little imp.

"I agree," Lorne replied as he looked at the half-asleep infant. "Too bad we didn't know more about the Brethren's sacrifice."

"I have it saved on my yahoo briefcase thing." Spike smiled. "I just haven't had the time to read it."

"Well, I think that's lost to you as well, since the partners have access to it." Lorne sighed.

"Nope, they don't know about that account. I placed it in a fake name." Spike winked as he noticed his boy had stopped sucking on the bottle and looked like he was close to being asleep. "I started a secret account at the public library while I was recovering from my run in with the psycho slayer, and never used it anywhere but there."

"Is this the same hotheaded poor planner Angel told us about?" Lorne looked closer as he inspected the vampire.

"Hey, I'll have you know that this vampire can learn new tricks." The blonde vamp started out as if he was offended but ended the sentence with a snort. "Did my homework and it helped by keeping an eye on Red, Watcher boy, and Fred, in the end." Placing the baby on his shoulder, so he could burp his boy one last time before lying him down to sleep.

Lorne's face took on a sad look at the mention of his two lost comrades. "I miss them."

"Sorry, Greens," Spike whispered.

"Its okay, Buttercup." Lorne smiled sadly, only to jump suddenly when he heard the undead male beside him growl.

"Don't call me Buttercup, and I had better not hear the bear one either." Spike glared, his eyes flickering between blue and gold.

"No problem Mr. Sensitive." Lorne moved up off the seat and decided now would be a good time to go and fix the pillows and blankets.

"What's with the bear phobia?" Connor asked, trying to keep from laughing.

"Don't ask." Spike snarled but quickly forced himself to calm down when his boy started to whimper. "Sorry about that poppet, Uncle Spike was just a bit upset, Pet."

The three other occupants looked at the vampire, realizing how much he had bonded with the infant in his arms. They each now knew that this baby would be a permanent fixture in their lives if they decided to continue to associate with Spike.

"Bed's ready if you are ready to let the wee one go for awhile." Lorne smiled.

"I will protect him as long as I live, just so you all know that," Spike vowed, his voice full of conviction that led them to believe his words.

"Then he is under my protection as well," Illyria pledged, as she looked into the vampire's eyes that she silently pledged to protect with her life.

Lorne noticed the connection between the two and wondered where their relationship would end up. Since they had come down in to the hotel lobby, making their presence known, he had noticed the chemistry between them.

The Pylean came to realize that other then Wesley, Blue had also become fascinated with the blonde vampire. Having heard from the ex-watcher she'd even requested to keep Spike as her pet. Since this morning, he'd noticed that when Spike had something to say, Illyria would stop and listen.

Lorne rationalized to himself, keeping his ideas and questions to himself for the moment. He was sure the fact they survived the battle and she let him feed from him is what gave strength to their developing relationship.

Spike stood up and smiled softly at Illyria before taking the baby to the back so he could lay him down to sleep. He bent down and gently placed his boy on the soft spot right beside the couch and covered him with the soft blanket. He closed his eyes and prayed to The Powers That Be that he was making the right choice in deciding to keep Aidan with him.

The vampire did not want to be too far away from the baby, as he moved to lie down on the couch. Watching the miracle that had come into his undead life at a time he needed something to believe in, he vowed, "I promise you little one I will not fail you." Then he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

The Pylean having returned to his seat smiled as he heard the vampire whisper his promise. He then made a one of his own to do what he could to help the boy wonder to keep his promise, even if it meant taking up the fight. He knew his fighting skills were more then just a little rusty.

No skill was needed to pull the trigger that ended Lindsey's life. Neither was seeing how dark the man's soul would become and it wasn't pretty. He decided he'd take a chance and ask Blue if she be interested in teaching him how to better defend himself. So in the future he'd know how to take care of himself and those he cared about. Then he'd never feel like a liability again.

Connor never even considered leaving his newfound family. Since Spike was all that was left of his blood family and he seemed to be taking the baby on as his, then the baby was family, too. Suddenly Connor smiled at the thought, because he finally understood where he fell on Spike's family tree. 'I'm his great uncle, wait until I rub that one in his face.'

*******

Africa May 14th 4 a.m.

"Oh, Xander, you really should be more careful in the future on who you give your heart to." Anya sighed as she looked at him with such love her eyes.

"Anya, I miss you." Xander smiled as he ran toward her only to suddenly stop when her eyes began to glow red.

"Bastard, Sunnydale was just the beginning, not the end. The battle for evil was lost, but the war continues, and we are gaining." She opened her arms, "Come to me and let me show you how good evil can be."

Xander stopped in his tracks feeling his heart breaking as he realized his lover again was an evil demon. "Why are you doing this?"

"I'm being given a chance to repent my white hat ways, Xander." She continued to hold her arms open. "Come and dance with me. We can dance in the blood that will be spilt because your sluttish slayer can't keep her legs together and can only get off fucking demons."

"Anya, what are you talking about?" Xander looked confused. "I don't want to dance in anyone's blood."

"Xander listen to my words very closely. Let me bring you over, so you don't feel the pain and grief that will await you if you stay loyal to the one that will betray you in the end." Anya pouted. "Come on baby; just think of the orgasms we can have. The added bonus is you will live like me forever, youthful, beautiful, and alive."

"No, I don't want that." Xander shook his head no, but yet felt a pull toward the woman he still loved, even if she was dead.

"Take a look at what awaits you if you don't let me help you." Anya frowned as she pointed to her left.

At first there was nothing to see. After a few minutes the colors started to swirl, making him feel sort of dizzy. He started to make out what appeared to be dead bodies lying on a bloody battlefield. Without moving from the spot he was standing, the scene came closer to him and he could see a clearer picture of what had went on.

Demons were walking around and kicking the dead human bodies lying on the ground. He recognized some of the faces as young girls he'd seen training at the school for slayers, and a few that had fought the battle to close the Hellmouth in Sunnydale.

He felt the bile rise in his throat, as he looked upon the face of those he loved like family. The first casualty he found was Dawn, lying still on the ground before him. Her expression telling him of her painful death, as dried blood marked her demise.

Next, there was Giles, his dead eyes open and glasses lying broken beside him. He could feel the tears falling down his face and he closed his eyes, knowing he would find his childhood friend next.

He closed his eyes hoping to avoid seeing them, the last two important people in his life, but something forced his eyes open. He quickly vomited seeing the condition his Willow was in, lying there with her heart lying beside her body and her eyes gouged out.

"See, this is what awaits you if you don't join me," Anya whispered, having moved closer. "With me you won't care, and will rejoice in their deaths, and even have a chance with the one you have given yourself many orgasms over."

Xander looked over toward Anya when something else caught his eye, causing his heart to almost stop. There was Buffy, naked, her head thrown back, and straddled across a creature that looked like the beast that was fucking Lucy in the movie Dracula.

"I told you she needs a demon, she's a demon whore." Anya snorted. "This is all because she betrayed all of you for him and his cock." She pointed over to where he saw himself, or what was left of him, lying on the ground, not five feet from where Buffy was getting her kicks with the beast. "There are other ways to stop the madness, you just have to look. One way is to welcome him back with open arms, accept who he has become, a man." Anya whispered in his ear before kissing his cheek.

"No, not like this…it can't end like this…No!!" Xander screamed as he woke up in a sweat hearing his own voice screaming. "I won't let it end like this."

He couldn't shake the feeling that there was something important about the dream he'd just had. Any other time he'd just pick up the phone and call Willow, but since hunting down potential's turned slayers she wasn't just a phone call away anymore. "Hell, she's in a different time zone."

He sighed as he decided to get up and go to the bathroom, and then try to go back to sleep. One thing about the dreams, they never came back on the same night, no double feature. He just could not shake this feeling that something bad was coming and it had something to do with the dream.

*******

Las Vegas May 13th 7 p.m.

Oz stood at the door and continued to differentiate between human and demons as he watched for any signs of trouble in the casino. He'd been working for the Silvestros for about two years, after saving Ernesto's life one night from a vampire looking for a meal.

Ernie had taken him under his wing and taught him the rules of Vegas and offered him a job working security, plus letting his band play on Friday night. His boss understood about needing time off when it was time for a full moon, since Ernie's wife shared the affliction of getting all wild and howling at the moon a few days out of the month.

He had heard through the demon underground that Angel and Company had taken over L.A.'s office of Wolfram and Hart a few months back. He wondered what had brought that about. But not wanting to associate himself with these old friends, since moving on with his life, he never called to ask why. He wanted to move on from that part of his life.

When the news that Angel and the others were killed, trying to over take the firm so they could take over the world, it had not set right with him. He just didn't know any way to find out for sure, or anyone he trusted enough to tell his suspicions to. Then again, he didn't want to bring the wrath of evil incorporated on his head since his boss hated the law firm with a passion.

No one even knew he was from the now nonexistent Sunnydale. "Guess that PCP lab finally blew up." He chuckled at his own silently told inside joke. But to look at him you'd think he’d be a boring young man with very little to no emotions.

Over the last couple of months he'd been able to hear through the underground demon networking that the Slayer had survived and the powerful witch had been able to do some mojo and turn all the potential slayers into the real deal. Just the thought of Willow made his heart ache, and wonder what it would have been like if he had stayed in Sunnydale instead of running away.

Lately his dreams had been weird and some of them involved the red head that had stole his heart a few years back. The dreams did not make much sense, because they flashed too quickly and nothing seemed to connect them. One even included Spike and a young boy on a small fishing boat with the sun shining brightly down upon them.

The young boy called him 'Uncle Oz', and called Spike 'Dad'. Since Spike was no longer on this earth, and then the vamp's allergy to the sun that would have made that impossible. They seemed so real, and at times, the boy would be mouthing words at him, but no sound.

Other dreams that included Willow were violent with them fighting together, with a lot of blood and screaming. He just never knew whose blood he saw, or whose screams he heard. His demon felt something was coming, and it was bad, and he had been feeling edgy since he had heard that Angel had fallen.

*******
Chapter Seven by Kimber
Author's Notes:
There is sex here oh my.......cover your eyes if you're not old enough.....
On the road to Vegas May 13th around 11pm

"Come on, Spike, you're going to make him lose his lunch." Buffy gently chastised, trying not to laugh as he swung the boy around in circles. "Aidan, your Daddy needs rest now. Both of you come and sit with me." Buffy held out her hands to the boy.

"Stop, Daddy." Aidan giggled. "Mommy wants us."

Spike let the boy down and watched as Aidan ran into Buffy's arms and she hugged him tightly against her body. The more Spike looked at her the more he realized there was something different about her. He walked closer and noticed her smiling at him unlike any smile she’d given him before.

"Come here, honey, we miss you." Buffy pouted.

It was when he was about to join them that he noticed two things. The sun was shining on her and Aidan's hair and he wasn't burnt to a crisp was the first thing. The second was the rounded pregnant belly of his slayer.

"Soon, Aidan, your sister will be here and you can hold her," Buffy told the boy before she kissed the top of the boy's hair.

"Yah, see Daddy, Mommy has a baby in her belly."

"Yes I do, sweetie, and your Daddy helped me make this baby in my belly," Buffy explained, with such pride in her voice and love in her eyes as she looked up at Spike.

Spike reached over and gently laid his hand on her expanded stomach and felt it twitch. He knew it was their child letting him know that he or she was there. Buffy was so sure it was a girl, and who was he to doubt her.

"How do you do that?" she asked.

"Do what?"

"Get her to kick every time you touch my big belly." Buffy playfully pouted, as she placed her hand over his as the baby kicked again.

"I love your big belly." Spike tilted his head to the side and smiled into her eyes. "We made that big belly together, and I'm very proud of it, thank you. And little one likes to tell its Da, hello."

"Hmmm, so you like my expanded tummy?"

"Oh, yeah, baby." Spike purred, as he leaned in kissed her lips softly at first and then gently nibbled on her lower lip until she opened her mouth letting him deepen the kiss. Their tongues dueled, each fighting for control of the kiss.

"Now is that any way to act in front of such an impressionable child?" The soft southern accent caused him to pull back in shock.

"Fred?"

"Well, yeah, who else would it be?" She laughed as she reached back and took the hand of a dark haired man, whose face currently was nuzzling her neck.

"Yes, Spike who else would it be?" Wesley asked, lifting his head up, smiling at Spike and his family. "This could be your future. Do not lose faith no matter what happens. You have made the right choices so far."

Spike suddenly woke up, looking around with tears that threatened to fall when he realized he was still on the couch in the RV and Aidan was still a wee baby instead of a few years older.

He looked down and noticed that the little one was still asleep and he wondered how close to Las Vegas they were. He didn't want to join the others right now, still feeling the affects of the dream. He couldn't help but wonder if it was a dream, or a glimpse of what his future could be if he continued to make the right choices.

"Well, only one way to find out," he thought, smiling at the dream that he and his slayer would one day have a family, and his boy would be a part of it. He felt the vehicle slow to a stop and moved to find out why they were stopping.

*******

Rome May 14th 8 a.m.

Buffy looked down at her bulging stomach and smiled. "You made me fat."

"No, luv, I made you pregnant." Spike chuckled, "And if I have any say in it you’ll stay barefoot and pregnant."

"Oh, really, Mister." Buffy giggled. "Not if you don't get sex anymore."

"Oh, Pet, don't make me prove again that you can never say no to my manly charms." Spike waggled his eyebrows and leered at her breasts. "God, they are magnificent, all nice and lush under that pretty little dress, just waiting for me to lick, nibble, suckle, and mark as mine."

Buffy's breath became short and her panties wet just from his words, and his sexy foreplay voice. "How long has Aidan been sleeping now?" she asked. Her voice was raspy with want.

"I have plenty of time to make you scream my name at least two times, kitten," Spike whispered as he started to crawl toward her on the blanket that was on the ground for their picnic. "Here kitty, kitty. Lookin' for some cream. Do you have some special cream for me, Pet?"

Buffy felt it hard to breathe as she watched her lover, husband, and soul-mate, crawl toward her licking his lips. "I love you, I want you."

"What do you want to do with me, baby?" Spike asked as he looked at her with love in his eyes.

"I want you to make love to me," she whispered as she lifted her hips and pulled the hem of her dress up over her hips. "I want you to never leave me again." Feeling more like a woman than ever as his hands gently removed her panties.

"I won't leave you baby, never again," Spike said with a satisfied look on his face as she offered herself to him without a pretentious fight, since they were still out in the open, and anyone could come along and see them being intimate.

"Yes, just like…that." Buffy moaned and panted as his mouth swooped down on her pussy like a starved man. "Oh God!, Baby, no one makes me feel like you, only you, baby, only you."

Nick stood at the end of Buffy's bed and watched her masturbate in her sleep. He felt himself harden as her fingers continued to rub her swollen nub, watching as the moisture leaked out of her vagina while mumbling to himself, "She is sin, fucking sin."

He started to pull off his clothes, planning on plunging in and being the one to make her scream in ecstasy. When he noticed her hips moving faster, whispering for whoever was in her dream to make love to her, he almost lost control of himself. He could tell she was close, and decided to watch and then make her cum again with him pounding her deep into the mattress.

"Yes, now, more." She panted. "Inside me, now…need you…"

Spike took his tongue out of her and licked her from pelvic bone to jugular. "Mine."

"Yours!" She screamed as he slammed his cock hard into bring her to the breaking point in an instant. "Spike!"

Hearing the name she called out in her sleeping fantasy made Nick's blood boil. He knew that she and the pain in the ass, William the Bloody, had sexual relations. However, his understanding was that it had meant nothing to her.

Nick felt the urge to hurt, if not kill, the bitch that was now digging herself deep into the covers with a huge smile on her face. He knew he had to leave, before his instinct to hurt her for dreaming about having sex with someone other than him overcame his better judgment. After taking a few minutes to make sure his clothes were back in place, he left before he did decide to follow his basic instinct.

*******

Brazil May 14th 3 a.m.

Willow found herself walking in a familiar meadow. The feeling of comfort and safety surrounded her. Without seeing the woman's face she knew who waited for her by the lake. But the closer she drew to the woman, the more something didn't feel right.

"Hello Willow." The now familiar voice greeted her.

"What are you doing here, Amy?" She asked.

"I come to bear greetings to you from the new order of power that is coming." The blonde witch said with a knowing smile. "They are very interested in you, my dear Wills. You will be their biggest asset."

"Who are you talking about?" Willow asked, hoping her once cohort in magical mayhem would enlighten her more.

"I can only tell you if you agree to join us." Amy said with a wink and an evil grin as she added, "You see, if I tell you before you give your vows to us I'd have to kill you."

"I'm no longer interested in performing dark magic, only counteracting it." Willow said with such conviction.

"Oh poor Willow, you've become so boring." Amy's voiced as she pouted childishly. "What if they could give you back what you lost?"

"There's a lot that I've lost." Willow countered,

"You know what I mean, stop being coy with me." Amy snapped, getting angry.
"I guess I need you to spell it out for me." Willow kept calm as she felt a familiar presence surrounding her.

"How about if you could have your truest love returned to you?" Amy asked.

"I think you're trying to lure me into doing something evil and bad. I know she wouldn't want me to do anything to bring her back. I learned my lesson with Buffy." Willow answered her voice confident and strong. "I like where I'm at now."

"Silly girl, you should know evil will triumph over good. This might be your last chance to come over to the winning side."

"I think I will take my chances here." Willow answered as she turned to walk away.

"You will regret it, mark my words."

"Consider them marked." Was all she had to say, hearing the familiar voice of her dead lover say, "I'm with you always, Willow."

Willow woke up knowing this wasn't just a dream. It had felt too real, like she was really there talking to Amy, feeling like Tara was with her as well. She looked over at her present girlfriend sleeping as if the world was okay. The witch knew what she had to do as she gently crawled out of the bed, noticing it was only three in the morning.

Quietly she made her way to the study, where the computer was, so she could make preparations to travel to England. She needed to speak to a few of her friends there who could help her with this dream and others she'd had lately. Then she'd take her case to Giles and make sure he was aware a new evil was coming.

Kennedy lay still as her lover left their bed. She'd been feeling Willow slowly pulling away from her the last couple of weeks. The closeness they once had was fading, and she didn't know what to do about it. She was sure it had something to do with Buffy, and her girlfriend missing the bitch.

Thoughts of Buffy, even now, still made her skin crawl. If anyone didn't deserve what she had, it was Miss Summers. Still to this day, she thought the blonde slayer's ways were too reckless. Too many girls died needlessly under her command back in Sunnydale. She truly believed Buffy had put too much trust in Spike, that she'd alienated everyone else, and didn't care that she had.

Even tonight she awakened from a dream of her own death, but didn't know how to talk to Willow about it. She was sure it was only a dream, but it felt real as the tall man with dark hair and blue eyes slit her throat. Maybe later she could tell her about it while she rolled on her side and tried to go back to sleep.

*******

Las Vegas May 13th 11:30 pm

Ernesto stood at the north end of the bar of the Lucky Star when his phone rang. Lifting the cell phone out of his pocket he recognized the number, feeling a wave of apprehension come over him.

"Excuse me, I must take this call," he said to the Bortal demon who was telling him about the Wolfram and Hart scandal.

He walked over toward his office as he hit the talk button. "My old friend, give me a moment to get away from the crowd."

Lorne answered, as he sighed in relief that his friend had taken his call. "Wonderful."

Ernesto moved quickly, opening his office door with a magic key, and then making sure no one was looking at him suspiciously before closing the door. His office for the most part was magically protected, as much as it could be. Unfortunately, nothing was a guarantee.

He took a deep breath before placing the phone to his ear and talking to his old friend. "Lorne, my friend, talk to me. I was very worried when I heard the news about Angel and his crew, I figured you for dead."

"I need safe haven for me and a few friends." Hoping he would not be refused.

"I don't know, with Angel going bad and the Partners having to come out and deal with this, it's rather not of the good for you to been seen right now," Ernesto informed him, "and it would not be healthy for me to be caught helping you."

Lorne was shocked at first to hear his friend say something about Angel going bad. "Seems you have been told the wrong details, my friend, you see Angel cakes never went bad."

Ernesto was quiet for a few seconds, as he absorbed this new information. "Well, neither here nor there. I will arrange safe haven, you just need to give me some time to work something out. Then we will take the time and you can tell me what really happened."

Lorne smiled, feeling as if someone had lifted a ton of bricks off his chest. "I knew I could trust you."

"Always old friend, for I owe you my life," Ernesto replied.

"I'm sorry to drag you in this little mess," Lorne apologized, "But I needed someone I trusted on this with my life."

"I would have been sorry and a bit angry if I had found you hadn't asked for my help." Ernesto replied, the tone of his voice telling his friend that he was not lying.

"I will wait for your call," Lorne said, "We're just a couple hours out."

"Good, stay out of sight, and give me time to work something out," Ernesto instructed. "Go to the place we first met, and call me when you get there."

"Okay, I'll call you when we arrive there. Just so you know I have a small human infant with us." Lorne felt it would be wise to inform his friend. "The only other one traveling in our band of five that would need special accommodations would be a vampire that is traveling with us as well."

"Angel?" Ernesto asked, praying he would not have such a hot commodity to hide.

"No, not Angel, he did not survive the battle," Lorne replied, his voice sad at the reminder of his friend's death as well as Angel's.

"You do have some explaining to do then it would seem," Ernesto said, letting his friend hear the sympathy in his voice. "I will make sure to add supplies to take care of your special companions. Now I think we have talked long enough and I have my work cut out for me. Keep you and yours safe, my friend, and I will do everything in my power to help you."

"Thank you," Lorne whispered right before he hung up the phone.

*******

A few hours out of Vegas May 13th 11:30 p.m.

Conner held back a laugh as he watched the green demon pace back and forth as he talked on the phone. Lorne had told them to stop at the next rest stop, so he could make a few calls.

"He is rather theatrical." Spike chuckled, "Wonder what he's yappin' about?"

"Oh, I would say he is trying to sell a song and dance that will give us the cover we need, I'd imagine," Conner replied, looking over at the blonde vampire with a goofy smile. "Yeah, but he is entertaining to watch in action."

"I never really got to know him that well." Spike smiled, "Not like I tried to get to know them right off, me bein' a pissed off ghost at first with an attitude."

"Gee, I missed that, what a shame," Conner replied, before turning his attention back to Lorne, noticing he'd finished his call.

The Pylean demon entered the RV, picturing in his head his new family of misfits as he smiled to himself. He looked up at Spike's understanding look and knew the vamp had overheard his part of the conversation. "I take it you heard what I was saying, sweet cheeks."

"Vamp hearing and all." Spike shrugged, "What can I say?"

"I guess it's a family trait along with the super strength." Conner decided to let Spike know what else he'd inherited from his parents.

"Looks like Kid, you got all the goodies, along with the bonus of walking in the sunlight and not feeding off dead animals." Spike said as he felt a bit jealous of the boy.

Spike then realized the prophecy of shanshu could've have been about Angel's after all, but by proxy of his son. He would've loved to have found out more about it from Percy, before he died doing his part. Wesley would be missed for many things, and the information that he carried inside of him like an encyclopedia was on of them.

"We just have to stay unnoticed until we get to the last rest stop before entering the city of lights." Lorne said, as he looked at the others with a reassuring smile. "There is where I will then call in for an update."

"How do you know we can trust him?" Illyria asked, wondering if this was a good plan to trust someone else for protection.

"Because he owes me his life for one, and the other, most important reason is he is my friend," Lorne replied, looking the warrior goddess in the eyes. "I trust him with my life and all of yours."

"That’s good enough for me," Conner said as he nodded his head. "I don't know about you, but I could use some sleep."

"Well I think they don't call this a rest stop for nothing," Spike offered, as he looked over at the sleeping baby.

"Then I say you should get some rest for a few hours," Lorne suggested, hoping Illyria and Ernesto didn't cause any problems by not getting along.

"Sleep, I will keep watch," the blue Goddess offered as she turned away from the group. She knew these lowly life forms should not matter, but for some reason she had come to care about them.

"No, Blue…I had my rest, now it's your turn." Spike replied, "Remember, me, creature of the night and all that rot. I can drive the rest of the way."

"If you insist." She answered in a voice of neutral tone.

"I do, now get some rest." Spike said as he looked at everyone, "Tomorrow you will be my eyes since I will be held hostage by the sun."

Everyone found a place to lay down, with Spike moving closer to him. Unbeknownst to him a certain blue demon watched as he tucked the blankets more closely around the infant. She turned her attention away from the vampire and the baby as she tried to make herself relax.

For some reason she was feeling more tired then usual, and couldn't help but wonder if it was from feeding the vampire her own blood. It felt strange finding she was becoming emotionally involved with those around her. That a baby would become important enough she felt a need to protect it. Now this feeling of tiredness coming over her so easily, all she could do was worry about all these changes coming about. A little voice whispered she was becoming human, and for the first time in her existence she felt a touch of fear.

*******

Rome May 14th 11:30 p.m.

Dawn sat quietly on the couch pretending to be engrossed in watching TV. The clock on the VCR saying it was eight am. She had been standing at Buffy's bedroom door, having just awakened, when she had heard her sister call out Spike's name so intimately.

She felt her hate for the vanquished vampire grow. The teenager could not help but think how even when he was no longer walking this earth, he was interfering in Buffy's life. Not for the first time she wished they'd never heard of a vampire named Spike.

Dawn turned and smiled before jumping up and running over and jumping into the Immortal's arms and hugging him for all her worth. "I'm glad you're back."

"Ahh, little one, it's good to be back." He smiled at the one of the Summers' he could still control without really trying very hard.

"Is Buffy awake?" Dawn asked, acting all innocent.

"No, I decided to let her sleep," Nick replied, trying hard to keep the anger out of his voice. "She must be very tired. She usually wakes right up when I come into her room."

Dawn fought to keep her smart-ass comments about her sister to herself. Thinking Buffy was being stupid for even thinking of Spike like that when Nick was so totally in love with her. "Yeah, I don't think she slept very well while you were gone and everything with Angel going evil and all."

"I understand. It is hard to believe that those who have fought at your side would become evil and betray you like that." Nick patted Dawn's shoulder before pulling away and taking her hand. "Come, let us sit and watch the dribble while we wait for her Highness to arise, shall we?"

"Okay, I have popcorn and there's plenty of the water you like in the fridge." Dawn smiled as she let him lead her to the couch. "Before you say anything I know it's early and we should have breakfast food."

"Sit, I will get the water, and who am I to tell a teenager what to eat for their first morning meal." Nick smiled softly, when in fact he wished he had joined the battle behind the hotel. That it had been his sword that had beheaded William the Bloody.

The Immortal walked into the kitchen as he pulled out his phone and dialed. "It's me. I just want to know if you've recovered the body we need?" he asked. "Good, I will meet with you soon, and then the games will begin." Nick chuckled evilly.

"Yes, when it is all done, these silly mortals will be where they belong once again." Nick again chuckled. "Yes, and she will be beneath me as I fuck her one last time before she dies. Don't worry. Angel and his band of misfits are taken care of." Nick snorted. "They were the only ones that we really needed to worry about. I still cannot believe this stupid little girl found a way to defeat The First. No, just let me know when it is done." Nick said before hanging up and grabbing his water so he could join the naïve young girl.

He will enjoy making the key his, for she would serve him well. Killing her sister, would be something he'd enjoy more then anything in such a long time. Grabbing water for both of them, he returned to spend a few minutes with the younger Summers'. He had to make sure he was gone by the time Buffy was awake, for he didn't trust his temper around her at the moment.

*******
Chapter Eight by Kimber
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank everyone who continues to read.....and bless those who have reviewed, for it's nice to hear what you think...no matter what.....
London May 14th 7 a.m.

Dana awakened after having another dream of a familiar blonde man trying to save her. His accented voice still echoed in her mind as he promised he was there to help her not hurt her. Presently, there was a battle going on in her head that made no sense. She could still hear the voices of others in her head telling her of things that made no sense to her. They were saying that she was special, and she was important for the fight. The problem was trying to figure out what fight and just what it was she was fighting for.

Rolling over in the bed, she stared at the wall of her new prison. She was surprised that her mind was not as clouded as it once was since she was not fed as many pills here as the last place. They had tried to shove them down her throat constantly back then. But she found she still had a hard time with reality at times.

The dream had come again. The one where she held the knife that she used to slay the dragon. She could still see it in her mind when the blonde man with the accent had been the one to throw it to her, telling her it was her right and her calling to save the world from evil.

The only problem was she didn't trust anyone here to tell her dream to. Once an older man with gentle blue eyes and glasses came to visit her, and he made her feel safe while he was there. Except he hadn't come for a visit since and she felt it was because he didn't think she was of importance.

No one other than the blonde man, whose arms she had cut off at one point, was the one who showed any real concern toward her welfare. When she had asked about him, no one knew whom she was talking about; making her wonder if it had really happened. They all looked at her as if she was crazy. Then again, maybe she was, right now she didn't really know herself if she was sane or not for certain.

Dana heard a noise causing her to roll over in the bed and find a woman with shoulder length light brown hair smiling at her. "Why are you here? It's too early for my medications or talk time?"

Eve smiled at the young woman before she sat down on the bed. "Hi, my name is Eve, and I have been sent by the same people who have been giving you the dreams."

"Really, someone has been sending them, and the blonde man is real?" Dana asked.

"Yes, and he is real," Eve answered, seeing the look of relief on the girl's face. "But you must not tell anyone about him until it's time."

"So I didn’t kill him?" she asked feeling relieved to know that. "How will I know when it's time?"

"No, you didn't kill him, for he was already dead," Eve tried to explain. "You see he is a vampire, but one with a soul and safe to the human society. The signs will tell you when it's safe to talk about him again. For now, I'm here to offer you a chance get control of your life again, so you can move on."

Dana looked at the girl with a look of confusion. "Move on with my life?"

"Yes, it's time for you to become the woman and slayer you were meant to be," Eve answered. "There is much for you to learn, and the Powers That Be think you need a little help in the recovery part from your ordeal."

"So, you are here to cure me?" Dana asked.

"Yes," Eve replied as she help out a vial that held the prettiest purple colored liquid Dana had ever seen. "You need to drink this and come tomorrow, Dana Marie Lewis you will be the woman you were supposed to be. The woman you would've become, before the making of an army of Slayers pushed you over the edge."

Dana took the vial and put it to her lips. She looked again at the woman who called herself Eve as she drank every drop of fluid in the vial. "There it's done."

Eve hugged the girl and reassured her. "You will not regret this, you are important to the battle, young one. You will become a great leader one day. I feel it in my bones."

Dana felt tired and fell asleep quickly leaving Eve smiling softly as she lowered the girl onto the bed. She covered the young woman and tucked her in before kissing her softly on the forehead. "You are special Dana, more special than you or anyone else realizes." With that said, Eve rubbed the crystal around her neck, and disappeared from the room.

*******

Las Vegas May 14th 2 a.m.

Ernesto after hanging up the phone with Lorne had begun planning how to help his friend. He knew by helping Mr. Cartis, he could be bringing the death and destruction to those he loved and depended on him for protection.

The thought of betraying his friend never crossed his mind, as he thought of different things he could do to help and protect Lorne and his friends. The only thought about himself was how he could do what he needed to do without being detected by the Partners of Wolfram and Hart.

His wife Triska would be the fist to kill him if he'd refused to help their Pylean friend. Since he was the one responsible for them being together in the first place. Lorne had saved his life so long ago, and had also introduced him to the woman who made his life complete.

He pulled out a piece of paper and started listing those he'd trust with his and his lovely wife's life. Then he took from that list who'd he trust with the life of his friend. The first name he had written down belonged to the same man that he trusted to protect him, his family, and his place of business. He pulled out his cell phone and punched the number he had saved on speed dial.

"Yeah!"

"Come to my office, please."

"On it."

Ernesto sat back and waited for the knock on his door telling him of the other man's arrival. He thought back to the time he'd first met the green Pylean demon. He had just lost his first wife Mira and was feeling depressed and not wanting to live any longer without her.

"Excuse me, but could you tell me if this is the Lucky Star?" A male voice asked.

Ernesto looked towards the direction the voice came from. He was surprised to see a pair of red eyes staring back at him with empathy and warmth. The demon's face was green with horns coming out of his head. "Excuse me, but do you see I have a gun to my head?"

The demon nodded his head, "Well, yes."

"And you decided to ask if this was the Lucky Star?" Ernesto asked, having not lowered the gun.

"The name is Lorne, and I'm looking for some work in the entertainment business," the green demon replied.

"Are you crazy?" Ernesto asked.

"No, I'm Pylean, sweetums," Lorne replied, as he held out his hand. "But I wouldn't be mad if you handed over that rather intimidating firearm, if you would be so kind."

Ernesto looked at the demon like he'd grown two heads. "I don't think so."

"Oh, dear, what could be so bad that you'd want to take your own life?" he asked, as he continued to hold his hand out. "Life is a bitch, but death is permanent."

"Yes death is that, and life is a bitch without the one you love more then life," Ernesto replied, still holding the gun up to his head.

"So, she must have been something then?" he asked.

"She was everything," Ernesto answered, "Without her I’m nothing."

"Oh, I don't think she would like to hear to talk like that," Lorne replied. "I find it hard to believe someone as special as she seems to be to you, would want you to go to the extreme to be with her."

"I cannot live without her, she was my anchor, my reason for being born." Ernesto cried, as he lowered the gun. "But you are right, she would not want this from me, this weakness."

"Not weakness, but grief. Grief is a powerful emotion that can often allow us to make poor decisions," Lorne offered.

Ernesto looked at the Lorne and knew he owed this demon his life, for if he had not interfered he would have followed through with his plan. "You asked if this was the Lucky Star earlier, it is."

"Great, looking for some work, I can sing pretty decent and have a great ear for talent as well," Lorne replied, smiling as the other man handed him the gun at last.

"I'm Ernesto, the owner and operator of the club," he said, as he offered the demon his hand.

"I'm Lorne," he replied as he accepted the handshake that sealed the beginning of a great friendship.


The knock on the door brought the club owner out of his memories. "Come in," he called out giving permission for the young man to enter.

Oz walked into his boss' office, facial expression stoic as always. "You needed to see me?"

"Daniel, have a seat." Ernesto smiled reassuringly as he motioned to the chair in front of his desk.

Oz knew by the use of his first name that this was serious. He tried to think of anything that had happened lately in the club that would warrant his summons to the office like this. Nothing came to mind.

"I have a very important favor to ask of you." Ernesto looked into the young man's brown eyes. "You can say no. Whether you do or don't, then I ask that you do not discuss it with anyone."

Both men knew the office had magic wards up protecting the privacy of the office and all that was said or done was kept inside the room. "I'm in," Oz replied.

"Don't you want to know what it is I ask first?" Ernesto asked.

"No," Oz answered, never breaking their eye contact.

"You have heard about the scandal in L.A. between this Angel character and the Partner's of Wolfram and Hart?" Ernesto asked, wondering if it was right to involve this young man and jeopardize his life.

"Yep," Oz replied, as he gently shook his head yes.

"I have a friend that needs my help, who was involved with Angel," Ernesto explained.

"Involved?" Oz asked, for the first time wondering if he promised his help too soon.

Ernesto nodded, wishing the young man were easier to read. "He says the situation in L.A. was not as reported and will tell me everything."

Oz lifted his left eyebrow and asked, "Can he be trusted?"

"Yes."

"Okay,” Oz answered, as he leaned back into his chair, feeling it was important that he did this.

Ernesto smiled as he told the young werewolf his plans. He would have Oz take them to his cabin where they'd be protected for a short time. It would give him time to get them the proper papers so they had a chance to travel safely and secretly. There were a few people he could trust to not ask questions.

*******

Cleveland May 14th 8 a.m.

Faith suddenly awoke, and ran for the bathroom. She barely made it to the toilet, when she started to bring up what she had eaten at dinner.

Her sudden movement out of the bed woke Robin up with a start. At first, he sat up dazed trying to figure out what was going on until he heard his slayer's sound of distress in the bathroom. He couldn't help but wonder if slayers were supposed to get sick.

He quickly threw on his boxers and grabbed his t-shirt. Knowing she was nude, and would need it, since it was chilly in the house. He moved toward the door wondering how he was going to handle finding her throwing up.

Faith's mind wandered to why two mornings straight now, she woke up puking her guts out. She felt his presence before hearing his voice as her lover settled beside her.

"Baby, you okay?" Robin asked as he knelt beside her, using his left hand to stroke her back gently.

He suspected he knew the cause of her morning sickness and deep down he prayed he was right. The prospect of becoming a father brought such a feeling of pride and happiness to his heart.

Faith concentrated on her breathing and Robin's loving touch. Using them to try and counteract the nausea she was feeling. She leaned into his touch, feeling comforted by his presence.

"Just getting a washcloth, be right back." Robin leaned in and gently kissed the side of her head, before moving quickly to gather what he needed.

Faith nodded, praying that it was finally over. Her mind again went back to why this was happening. She used the time to think back to her last period and felt a wave of anxiety hit her. The last time her cycle was lighter then usual giving her reason to believe she could be in the family way. Thinking to herself the pill really was only 99.9 percent effective in her case.

Robin came back with a warm cloth and a glass of water with a splash of mouthwash mixed with it. He softly washed her face and then threw the cloth over into the sink.

"Here, baby, sip, swish, and then spit," he instructed softly all the while rubbing up and down her back.

Faith watched as her lover handed her the water. "I think we need to make a trip to the store for something to settle my stomach."

Robin chuckled. "Yeah, I think that is one thing we need to do."

"Only one?" Faith asked, as she looked at him with a questioning expression on her face. She was hoping to keep her suspicions to herself until she knew for sure.

She continued to look at him as she took the glass and take a small sip, swish it around her mouth before spitting it out into the toilet. The cool mint flavor of the mouthwash took the bad taste out of her mouth.

"I say buy one of those home pregnancy kits or make an appointment with a doctor, namely an OB/GYN doctor, to be more precise, if you ask me," he said, as he leaned in and gently kissed her nose.

Faith smiled as she leaned her head against his shoulder and replied. "I guess my slaying days will be limited." Realizing she was not going to be able to hide much of anything from this man.

"Oh, I think consultant would be a more appropriate title," Robin suggested.

"Consultant sounds good," Faith agreed, fighting back a yawn.

Robin stood up and assisted her to stand and help her put on his tee shirt, before lifting her into his arms. "You rest, and CVS here I come."

"Yeah, rest." Faith snuggled close, making a promise to herself. She would do everything possible to live a long and happy life with her man and their child.

Robin turned and walked out of the bathroom, with his girl securely in his arms. He silently made a vow he'd protect his now expanding family with everything in his power. Moreover, he would use all the powers of persuasion he could muster to get this woman to marry him.

*******

Atlanta May 14th 8 a.m.

Andrew made his connecting flight that was taking him to Cleveland. Knowing that Faith was waiting anxiously for any news concerning her one time benefactor made him nervous about what he had to tell her. He dreaded having to tell her what he had found out, knowing she'd be hurt that the man who had helped her to find the road back to redemption had fallen off the path.

The decision that he'd first tell Faith in person, and then he'd call Giles and see how he wanted Buffy to hear the news seemed logical to him. The ex-rogue slayer was the one closest to those that were involved with Angel, so deserved to hear it first.

His heart was still heavy that his Spike had been involved. The only good thing he could think of was the fact he'd been able to keep Spike's secret. No one would know of his involvement or of his short-lived resurrection. It was the best gift he thought he could give Buffy as well, for it would have hurt to know both of her vampires had returned to their evil ways.

By all reports Dana, the insane slayer, would never remember the vampire's name whose arms she had cut off, let alone what he looked like. He could still remember the fear he felt when he realized Spike had been vampnapped by the crazy girl.

He knew in his heart he was betraying the trust Giles and the others had placed in him when he'd agreed to become a watcher. But something had made him believe he was doing the right thing by protecting Spike from the time he had seen him in Angel's office, all cold and vampire like.

*******

Brazil May 14th 9 a.m.

Willow sat looking out the window of the plane taking her back to a place that once healed her wounded soul. Special people who helped her gain back her life and friends. Friends who had never given up on her coming back to them, not as she was, but someone ready to move on with her life. More then they had given Buffy when she was brought back to life. Anges promised someone would be waiting for her at the airport.

It hurt so much how she and Kennedy had parted, knowing she had some serious thinking to do about their relationship. She never realized just how jealous her girlfriend was over Buffy. Some of the things that were said she knew where in the heat of anger, but still most of what Kennedy said was unjust.

The newly made slayer had no idea what Buffy Summers, The Slayer, had been through over the last eight years. Kennedy herself had been with them just little over a year, and never had she had to act alone. Never had she been solely responsible for keeping the world safe from evil. For the first time she realized just how much the woman had yet to mature and understand her position in life now.

Faith was the only one that had a taste of being alone. It was unfortunate it had to be at a time where her decision had been a poor one. But then again, they hadn't helped much by putting it on her back to try and take Buffy's place. To this day she regretted turning her back on her best friend that night. The guilt of losing faith in the one person that had never let them down still hurt like hell at times.

"Don't let the guilt consume you." Tara's voice whispered in her mind, making her smile. "Living is an open classroom, take what you learn and move on."

Willow knew her ex-lover was right. She'd come to believe that a part of Tara would always remain inside to guide her at times of trouble. Lately she could feel Tara's presence more and more, but had yet to see her in her dreams. It is what guided her to follow her instincts, knowing soon something bad was going to happen. This time she'd be more confident and prepared after talking with her fellow sisters at the coven.

*******

Somewhere mystical May 14th

Nick smiled at Moira as she had her men lay her prize at their master's feet. "I bring you the body that you asked for, my master."

"I most appreciate the care you have taken in this matter. I promise you, it will not be forgotten, my dear," Nick said as he stroked her cheek.

Moira felt herself tingle at his touch, for there was nothing she would not do for him. "I ask for nothing in return. It was an honor to serve you."

Nick's appreciation for this dark haired, dark eyed beauty grew at her devotion. "I will need your help on one other matter, my lovely Moira."

"Say what you wish for me to do, and if it's in my power, it will be done." She bowed her head before him.

"I need to find a Pylean demon that goes by the name, Lorne, and a hybrid vampire mix that goes by the name of Conner. They need to be eliminated, for they have more knowledge that I care for them to have."

"I will get right on it," Moira vowed. "Can you tell me where to begin my search?"

"Yes, in America," he answered as he leaned in to give her a small kiss on the lips. "They were last seen in Los Angeles, California."

He considered the two surviving members of Angel's rag tag band of do-gooders too much of a liability. One slip to the wrong person and things best hidden would be brought to light. The most important secret was Spike's resurrection- no one could know he'd been brought back.

He wished he had known what Lindsey had been up to. It was hard, but he had to keep the blonde southern menace alive to find out how he had brought the vampire back to life. To this day it remained a mystery who helped the man bring back the bane of his existence. Spike was the one thing that could come between him, Buffy, and Dawn if they ever were removed from his control.

"They will be found and taken care of, you have my word," Moira promised, having lived and served the Partners since becoming a vampire fifty years ago.

"I know," Nick said. "Why do you think I asked you to do it? You are the best of the best."

Moira clapped her hands to get her minions attention. "Come, we need to make arrangements to travel."

No words were spoken as her men followed her without question. He knew that she would make a wonderful asset to his life when this was all over. Once the door was closed, he turned all of his attention to the body lying on the specially decorated table before him.

"Come, Rhumada, it is time to get to work at restoring him back to life." Nick chuckled as he looked down at the one time Watcher. "You will be a marvelous addition to the team, sir, a most definite asset."

The dark skinned man walked out of the shadows, carrying with him a glowing orb. "He will do your bidding, my Lord, just as you've requested."

"Good, here is the knife that was used to take his life and absorb his essence," Nick explained as he handed the sorcerer the magical knife.

"I can feel the power that was once his, crying out to be placed back into his body," the Indian mystic said, as he accepted the instrument responsible for this man's death. "I will make sure his soul is corrupt and he will be your loyal servant when his life is returned to his body."

"Good, let me know when you are done. I have some unfinished business to attend to."

"As you wish," Rhumada said as he bowed to his lord and master.

*******

Las Vegas May 14th 5 a.m.

Oz approached the RV with caution, making sure no one had followed him. Ernesto had told him to look for a very tall, fancy dressed, green skinned demon with reddish eyes and horns, and that would be Lorne. His boss had received the phone call just little over 45 minutes that they had arrived outside the city limits.

The closer he got to the vehicle; a familiar scent overcame his senses. He had not smelled that scent since his last visit to Sunnydale. He knew things were not always as they seemed. But he was sure this certain being, by all reports, had died closing the Hellmouth a year ago.

*******
Chapter Nine by Kimber
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank everyone here....A big thank you....for those who have reviewed, letting me know I'm touching a few of you out there......
Rome May 14th 2 p.m.

Buffy sat on the couch trying to ignore Dawn's glare. For some reason her sister was angry with her, but would not say why. She would only snort, stomp her foot, and continue to glare. So, Buffy had decided to ignore the little brat while she waited to hear something… anything from Giles or Andrew.

"I can't believe you," Dawn huffed.

"What can't you believe about me now?" Buffy sighed, as she looked over at her sister.

"What did you do that pissed Nick off?" Dawn asked, as she stood over Buffy with her hands across her chest.

"I don't know what the hell you are talking about? When was I supposed to have seen Nick? Let alone piss him off?" Buffy asked, wondering what she had missed since last night.

"He was here early this morning, but he left angry," Dawn replied through clenched teeth. "So, what did you do to make him leave?"

"I don't know Dawn since I didn't know he was here," Buffy explained, wondering why Nick hadn't woke her up or crawled in bed with her like he normally did, but she was secretly happy he hadn't.

"Fine, don't tell me," Dawn said as she threw up her arms and stormed away.

Buffy shook her head trying to figure out why Dawn was acting more of a spoiled brat than usual, and why Nick would have left giving Dawn the impression he was angry. She put down the romance novel she was reading and tried to think back to this morning.

The more she thought about it the more she came to realize he must have been there when she'd had her little wet dream. She had woken up from feeling more sexually fulfilled since the last time she and Spike had been together.

"I wonder if I called out Spike's name in my sleep," she mumbled, thinking to herself that as much as she cared for Nick, she didn't love him the way she did Spike, or Angel for that matter. "I guess we will have something to talk about if he decides to talk to me again."

Buffy picked up her book and resumed reading, changing the names in the book of the romantic couple. Instead of Rebecca and Ivan, she called them Elizabeth and William. She figured it was her fantasy, she could name them as she saw fit. She couldn't help but wonder why she dreamed of Spike, being pregnant, and having a son already by the name of Aidan.

*******

Las Vegas May 14th 5:30 a.m.

Oz felt a sense of relief come over him. "So you're telling me that Angel was fighting for the good guys."

"Yes, don't know what's up with the Angel and company going evil angle," Spike mumbled, trying to think the benefit that lie would do. "I wonder what the sneaky little bastards are up to, tellin' that big lie"

"It is to help place doubt in the mind of those that trusted him and his people," Illyria offered. "It is a tactic to divide and conquer."

"That does make sense," Spike agreed. "Who would they mostly want to make believe such bull?"

"Who would they most benefit by discrediting Angel's and the others reputation to?" Illyria asked.

Spike felt a chill run up his spine. "Buffy. They are out to use this against Buffy some how."

"Buffy?" Illyria asked, "Who or what is this Buffy?"

"She's the vampire slayer," Spike responded automatically.

"Vampire slayer, I had wondered if they still existed," Illryia said.

"You had a slayer in your time?" Spike asked.

"Yes, they existed in our time," she replied as she noticed the pained look on Spike's face. "Did your slayer choose you as a mate?"

"Choose me as a mate, you say," Spike said as he glared at the blue demon. "Why would she choose a vampire for a mate?"

"Several of the slayers would choose a mate among the vampires," Illyria explained. "They would mate and have children that would grow up and become slayers themselves."

"You say slayers as in plural, more than one?" Lorne asked.

"They were a tribe of strong women, by the name of Purians, who would not come into their power until it was deemed so. Usually it was on their fifteenth or sixteenth birthday," Illyra explained as she looked at them confused. "Tell me about your slayer."

"She was the one chosen to fight demons and slay vampires. There is only one, and when that one dies another is called," Spike explained, trying to understand what Blue was telling them. "Well, used to be one, now there is more than one since the spell."

"Then something has happened to change the order of things," Illyria said. "For in my time there were many of these brave warriors, not just one. The Purian women were the only ones powerful enough in the end to defeat us. Tell me about this spell."

"Not much to say, Buffy found a rare weapon that she had Red use to pass on her slayer powers onto the potential slayers out in the world. See we were trying to defeat The First, and he was kicking our bloody arses until Buffy found the weapon."

"Was the weapon like a doubled edged axe with a point?" Illyria asked, as things started to fall into place.

"Yeah, how did you know?" Spike asked, feeling anxious about what her answer was going to be.

"Did she speak with The Guardian, an older woman with long white hair and an old dress, almost like robes?" the demon asked, wondering how much she should tell them.

"You are givin' me a case of the spooks, Blue," Spike said as he took a long look at the warrior Goddess.

"Things are coming to pass, The First was nothing compared to what you are to face," Illyria informed them. "You need to inform your slayer of what has happened so she is armed and ready for the fight of her life and everyone who fights by her side."

"I think you need to explain yourself just a little bit more, Miss Sunshine and Death," Lorne said as he tried to keep himself from walking out the door and walking away from all of this madness.

"There is a prophecy that tells of the old demons coming back to claim what they consider theirs. It speaks of a dead warrior race being resurrected at the time of the first uprising. This race of warriors will be the only thing that will stand between mankind and Hell."

"What side do you plan to fight on?" Conner asked, his voice calm with no accusatory tone to it.

She looked at the others as she seriously thought about this. Deep inside, she wanted to walk away and offer her hand to the winning side. But having been in the presence of Spike and his friends these last few months made her think they could be the winning side.

"I would be lying if I said I have not given thought to switching sides, getting back the power and respect that should be mine," she answered honestly. "But I have come to realize that the demons may not win, and for some reason that does not sadden me as it should."

"It's called caring about others." Spike sighed. "Been there done that. My reason was a little blonde spitfire and her little squirt sister. Now, it's 'cause I care about the world I live in and I don't much care to see people I have come to care about suffer. Blame it on my soul if you'd like, but that is the way of it."

"You have your soul?" Oz asked, shocked to hear this little bit of news. "Nobody said anything about you having a soul?"

"Wasn't like it was something I went advertising," Spike defended himself, feeling somewhat vulnerable.

"Wow, did you get cursed like Angel?" Oz asked.

"No, I won it fair and square. No limitations and no losing it if I get a little too happy." Spike snorted.

"Why?" Oz asked, wondering what would make a vampire go in search of a soul.

"For a girl," Spike whispered, looking down at the baby that was now in his arms and looking up at him. "For the love of a girl who likes way too much demon in her men it would seem"

Lorne noticed the pained look on Spike's face and knew he was thinking about Buffy. He was shocked when Illyria reached out and placed her hand on the vampire's shoulder in a comforting gesture.

"Was she your mate?" she asked gently.

Spike looked up with tears in his eyes. "No, I never would’ve been her choice for a mate. Angel fits that bill."

"She probably thinks Angel went Angelus on her," Oz said as he noticed the closeness between Spike the blue demon.

"Then she needs to be told the truth, and you need to tell me more on how the Pruians died out," Illryia said.

"Don't know about the Pruians, but I think Giles and his council of watchers can help you with that one," Oz offered as he tried to figure out how he was going to manage getting them to Buffy without detection.

"Watchers?" Illyria asked, "This is something new. What are watchers?"

"Watchers are the ones that help the Slayer with her training," Spike explained. "They have a way of finding potential slayers and training them for the day they might be chosen to protect and serve humanity."

"How did these so called watchers get control of such a powerful race and deplete them to just one?" Illyria asked, feeling more and more like something was wrong with this story.

"Don't know, just know it's been in place as long as I've been undead," Spike replied as he started to wonder about a few things himself. "It’s another question we can ask Rupert when we see him.

"So we are going to England?" Oz asked, knowing the answer, just needed it said out loud.

"We are going across the pond and pay a visit to the old homeland." Spike nodded his head as he placed the baby up on his shoulder. "Then we need to make a trip to Rome and see a girl about the truth concernin' her mate."

"I think we should take some downtime first and then talk about what we need to do," Conner suggested, thinking they needed new identities and to make a few plans.

"Ernesto gave me instructions to take you up to his cabin for a few day to lay low and let him get you secure ID's," Oz informed them. "I think that is what we should do for now."

"Okay," Lorne agreed. "I think that is a good plan to start with. Rest up and then figure out our next step."

"Sounds good to me," Spike agreed as he looked over at Conner and Illryia who also shook their head in silent agreement. "Settled then, hook up your car, and take us where we need to be."

"Give me a second. I noticed you had a hitch on the back," Oz said and he stood and moved toward the door, stopping before he opened it making sure Spike was away from the sunlight, since it had risen while they were talking. "If you don't mind I want to help."

"Never one to refuse good help," Spike said. "Welcome aboard mate."

Oz simply nodded his head before carefully opening the door and leaving so he could hook his car up to the back. He for once had a purpose since he was bitten. He knew without a doubt that this was his destiny.

*******

Somewhere mystical May 14th

"I thought I was dead," he said to the dark skinned man that gave him his life back.

"Well technically you were," Rhumada said, as he looked at the human he had brought back to life. "It was the knife that was used to kill you, using a spell it was used to capture your spirit once you died."

Wesley smiled as he lifted his arms above his head to stretch his body, wanting to get all the kinks out of it. "It feels so good to be alive again. No conscious to weigh me down, it would seem no soul either to burden me with guilt."

"Yes, you are free of the humanity that kept you back from reaching your full potential," Rhumada explained. "You will serve the master and he will take care of you and make sure all your needs are met."

"All my needs?" Wesley smiled evilly as he thought of all the things he could do now. "So if I would truly kill my father for real, I would not feel bad, correct?"

"No, you would most likely dance in his blood and rejoice at your new found freedom."

"Then as they say," Wesley looked at the other man and winked, "Shall we dance?"

"You just have to do a little something for me first," Nick said from the doorway, enjoying the former white hat now wearing his new persona so well. "I first need you to take a trip and see a former colleague and worm your way back onto the council."

"Oh, must I deal with Giles so soon? He bores the Hell out of me." Wesley laughed. "Can't I have a little fun first?"

"What would you consider fun?" Nick asked with a indulgent smile on his face. He really liked this new Wesley.

"Oh, I would love to kill something just for the sport of it." Wesley sighed as he put his hands over his heart. "To be exact, I would love to kill someone that is so near and dear to my heart."

"Who?" Nick asked, wondering whom from Angel's group he would want to kill.

"Faith." Wesley sighed with a dreamy smile on his face. "I can't stand the bitch, and I want her to pay for making me look like a ponce in Sunnydale."

Nick chuckled and felt terrible that he was going to have to decline his new servant his request for now. "I'm afraid her death must wait, you see she carries something valuable to me at the moment."

"Really?" Wesley questioned him. "What is so precious she should be allowed to live?"

"She carries the child of a slayer and the son of a slayer," Nick explained, knowing as a former watcher, Wesley would know what that could mean.

Wesley understood and agreed with his master, "You are so right, she does indeed carry something very precious indeed."

"I knew you'd see it my way." Nick smiled. "But you get dibs on her when she spits the brat out of her womb."

"I like how you think Master," Wesley replied, thinking he just might have to make a special visit right after she gave birth. "So in the meantime what is it you wish me to do?"

"I want you to get in tight with Mr. Giles and play the injured party. We will have to make the beating seem real, but it can be done so you can enjoy it," Nick explained. "I need you on the inside to make it easier to take down the watchers and the slayers."

"I'm here to serve you anyway I can." Wesley bowed to the man who was truly responsible for having him brought back to life.

"Come, first refreshments and rest," Nick explained. "Then in a couple days I will arrange for you to be found and taken in by Giles and his little band of white hats."

Wesley followed his master out of the room thinking to himself that he no longer had to worry about anything because Nick would take care of it for him. All he had to do was get in tight with Giles and his little band of demon fighters and help take them down from the inside.

*******

Over the Atlantic May 14th 11:30 a.m.

Willow smiled as she felt her lover giving her pleasure. The words he whispered in her ear making her hotter and she was finding it hard to breathe. The feel of him inside her was bliss, she felt complete for the first time since Oz and Tara.

"I love you," he said, as he continued to make love her.

"I love you, too," she replied, as she met him thrust for thrust.

"Mine, you're mine," he growled.

"I'm yours." She moaned in reply, as he started to thrust harder.

"Never leave, never stray again." He touched her clit sending her over the edge as she screamed his name. "Oz!"

"Willow, baby, run," he said as he quickly pulled away from her. "Cleveland, you must go to Cleveland. Find Faith and protect her."

Willow heard the pounding and scratching on the door as she turned to him and begged, "Come with me, you promised."

"I will find you, now go," Oz told her as he threw her clothes at her. "Remember I will come for you."

"I love you," Willow cried as she dressed and ran to the window.

"I love you, too, now go, baby," Oz begged her as the growls and scratching on the door intensified.

The last thing she saw was her lover in wolf form taking on the beast coming through the door before dropping to the ground in a dead run.

The Captain's voice awakened her from the bad dream she was having. "Everyone please be seated and seat belts fastened. We are making our final approach to Heathrow."

Willow found she couldn't shake the effects of the dream. She couldn't wait to get to the coven and talk to Agnes and Megan. The feeling that something bad was coming grew stronger as did the urge to go to Cleveland.

*******

Cleveland May 14th 10 a.m.

Andrew checked himself into the Renaissance in downtown Cleveland, having taken the red eye to get there. He needed some time to think of how he was going to face Faith and tell her the news. By his figuring on survival, he'd felt he'd rather face the dark haired slayer then the big chief in charge. Buffy had lost both her vampire boyfriends in a matter of a year.

First, he was going to enjoy a shower and take a nap, and then he would go down to the warehouse district where some of the most prominent bars in the know of demon information happened to be located. He needed to make some inquires about one of Angel's men that was still unaccounted for. Still MIA was one green demon, named Lorne, he remembered from Angel's gang.

He had no energy to phone in a report to Giles. For once the man in tweed would have to understand that even a superhero crime fighting watcher extraordinaire needed to recharge too, just like the battery.

"Darn it all," he said when his cell phone rang, recognizing the number on the display.

"Hello."

"Andrew, where are you?" Giles patiently asked when what he really wanted to do was illegal in all countries around the world…that is if he was caught.

"Cleveland, given some names to connect with concerning, well you know."

"Yes, Andrew, I do know, since that is my job to know everything I can or know where to find it quickly." Giles sighed, causing Andrew to speculate that at some point in this conversation his boss had taken his glasses off and was cleaning them frantically.

"What have you found out so far?" Giles firmly asked, what he felt should have been given without having being asked.

"Most of what I could find does support the said rumors circulating about said vampire with a soul was of the no longer having one," Andrew droned on, wanting to get off the phone and take a much need rest.

"Any evidence he turned the others to do his bidding?" Giles felt like he was pulling a tooth trying to get information.

"Hope I can get that tonight," Andrew lied, since the thought had not come to mind until the head watcher planted it there.

"Please, Andrew, find out," Giles snapped as he hung up the phone.

"Someone should really tell you how awful your phone skills are," Andrew mumbled as he discarded the phone on the bed before walking to the bathroom. "Its times like these I wish I was a Jedi knight, or the damn pink bunny that kept going and going and going."

The more he thought things through the more he regretted keeping Spike's come back performance a secret. He truly believed this coming forth and telling everyone, would've changed the course of history. But it was too late now to cry over spilt milk. The cow had died and if he told the truth now the only one that would be hurt would be him. The others would leave him out in the cold in a heartbeat. He so believed it to be true that he worked hard at burying the fact Spike was ever involved he buried deep down inside, so no one would find it.

*******
Chapter Ten by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Well are heading into some new material mixed with old.....soon it will be all new......
Mystical Place May 14th

Wesley relaxed as he pictured how each person would die at his hand. He would leave Buffy or Faith till last, thinking he might have to flip a coin to make his final choice. Both bitches would first watch as their friends, lovers, and family died bloody and painful deaths.

"I forgot, we will have to leave our lovely Faith alive just a little bit longer," Wesley said with an evil chuckle. "How could I forget she is carrying something we want? Well, that makes it easier and leaves the coin tossing for other things. Like, do I gut Giles from chin to groin, or do I just slowly, inch by inch cut off his head."

He swirled his wine that by firelight had the appearance of being blood. He wished he had been able to watch as Angel met his climatic end. It would have pleased his heart to bear witness as the pompous arse turned to dust. The arrogant bastard thinking that the likes of him, and his little band of avengers, as Spike liked to call them, could really make a difference.

It had cost him his precious Fred, the one that carried his heart, soul, and salvation. She was now lost to him, since her soul was drifting wherever lost souls go. The blue-skinned demon bitch died in her body making it impossible for his Fred to find peace. He would make sure that Willow and Giles paid for that little fiasco as well. Just, another reason, for them both to die slow and torturous deaths he reasoned as he pictured torturing the redheaded witch.

He sat back and enjoyed his wine as he continued to plan, each and every step, he would take to make sure they screamed and beg for their suffering to end. He would start with Xander, for he represented the heart of the Scoobies. Next would be Wood, for he would be icing on the cake at making Faith suffer, since he couldn't kill her right away. Next, he would take out the witch, just so she knew how weak she really was. Then Giles, his death would bring him the most satisfaction. Buffy's would be next to last, and it would bring him such pleasure to end that slut's life. Then right after the whore Faith delivered her child, before the placenta followed, he would mutilate her and make her scream for release before he granted it to her.

*******

Las Vegas May 14th 9 a.m.

Illyria had felt edgy for a few hours now. Something was nagging at her telling her that not all was well. For some reason she could not stop thinking about Wesley and how peaceful he looked, as he died in her arms while she lied to him at his request. She had to fight beside the others. She never told the others this, but at the time she could feel Fred's presence inside her, pushing her on.

She looked around to see what everyone was doing. Spike was currently in the bedroom sleeping, with the infant. The wolf was staring out the window with a blank look on his face. He presented a problem to her, for she could not read him at all. Lorne was looking through a magazine mumbling he could have told them this and told them that. Young Conner was preparing lunch, having taken a bottle out of the refrigerator to ward off the chill.

"Yeah," Oz said, answering his cell phone. "Got it," he said as he stood to hand the phone over to Lorne.

"It's me." Lorne's voice was serious, not his usually bubbly self.

"Lorne, there are people looking for you," Ernie said. "I've told them I have not heard from you in ages, but I'm not sure they believed me."

"Then we will see what we can do on our own. You shouldn't risk it," Lorne said with a sincere concern in his voice.

"No, I already had things set up and Oz knows how to get access," Ernie reassured his friend. "It cannot be traced back to me, so don't worry about it. Just take care of yourself and keep safe. I love you like family and I hate that I cannot do more."

"You have done more than you should've actually," Lorne replied, dropping his overly vibrant way of talking and use of nicknames, telling everyone in hearing distance, just how serious the Pylean was.

"You need me, you call. If it's in my power it will be done," Ernesto said, knowing this could be the last time he heard from his friend.

"Keep you and yours safe, kiss the wife and kiddies," Lorne replied before hanging up the phone.

The room stayed silent for a moment before Conner spoke up, "Should I wake up pale face for this?"

"I heard that mini Peaches." Spike chuckled as he sauntered out of the bedroom pulling on his tee shirt. "So share the news, Greenjeans."

"It would seem Precious there has the answers." Lorne sighed as he pointed at Oz. "And there are some people looking for me."

"Well, Wolfie do I have my porn name yet or am I going to be some regular Joe?" Spike asked feeling tired and drained since he had no real rest. "The people looking for you, well, we will cross that bridge if they happen to find you."

"Spike is porn," Conner mumbled as he took a seat on the couch.

"Heard that too, brat," Spike said with a smile.

Oz just watched the banter between the two and patiently waited for them to settle down and listen. He was buying time before he told them he had to leave them to go and get what they needed. They couldn't take the chance that someone would recognize one of them, since people were looking for the green demon and most likely Angel's son, too.

"So spill it," Spike said giving Oz a serious look.

Oz realized then that Spike knew what he was doing all along as he answered. "I have to go alone into town and pick up the stuff we need."

"Then do it, mate," Spike said as he gave Oz a reassuring smile.

"He could betray us," Illryia said in her monotone voice.

"He could, but he won't," Spike replied. "You see he's a white hat through and through. It was his knight in white armor attitude that cost him his girl, thought he needed to leave to protect her from his beastie. He knows he needs us to get the Scoobies to believe the fact Angel never done the Angelus on them."

Oz smirked as he nodded. Spike had nailed it on the head. In the short time being in the vampire's company, he had noticed the change in the demon. The gentle way he handled the baby and how he handled himself with the others, made it apparent that the master vampire was just that. He was the man in charge and made it look as if he was just one of the gang.

"You need to get rid of your phone." Oz looked over at Lorne and pointed at the green demon's cell phone. "No more calls from it. Have mine and I will call you after I pick up the package. If you get two rings it means get out of here in a hurry."

"Got it, champ." Lorne nodded his head.

"Lorne, if you don't want to come with, I understand," Spike offered the Pylean another chance to leave and move on.

"No, I have to do this, I have to clear Angel's name." Lorne sighed with a forced smile on his face. "It's one thing not to follow him to the hero's death, but I can't let his death be a lie to cover up his attempt to buy the world we know a longer lease."

"I understand, Lorne, I really do." Conner walked over and placed his hand on the demon's shoulder giving him a reassuring squeeze.

"You think we'd be going anywhere near anyone if we didn't need to so that we can clear Angel and his little band of avengers names." Spike snorted. "I got a kid to raise here."

Everyone but Illryia laughed at that, including Oz. Lorne realized when Spike had called him by his name and not one of his many endearments, the vampire was being sincere. Spike's sincerity is what made him vow to see this out to the end.

"Take care, wolf boy, and come back alive and in one piece." Spike said giving him a meaningful look, which Oz acknowledged with a nod before leaving out of the cabin.

"You risk much by letting him leave alone," she finally said.

"We risk more if one of us goes with him," Spike replied. "If I can't trust him now, what's the use of continuing further. Not an evil bone in that skinny little body of his, I'd know."

"You should go back and rest some more," Lorne addressed Spike. "I got Spike mini me when he wakes up. Helped take care of Angel mini me when he was first brought in to this world."

Spike fought a yawn, still not feeling up to full strength since the big battle a few days ago. "Thanks, G-man."

"Does that mean I get a gun or will I drive the getaway car?" Lorne chuckled.

"Can shoot and drive if ya like." Spike smirked as he stood up to return to the bedroom to catch some more sleep.

"Sweet dreams." Conner smiled.

Spike thought to himself as he closed the bedroom door. 'Oh, you just don't know how sweet they are.'

******

Rome May 14th 6 p.m.

"God Buffy!" Dawn yelled. "You could call him, you know, let him know you'd like to see him."

"He's the one that left here pissed off for some reason that I have no clue about," Buffy reasoned, wondering why she wasn't interested in calling her current boyfriend. Then was surprised when she wondered why she even was dating the man.

Since the dream about Spike and sex, she had no interest in seeing Nick or any other male species for that matter. She was content to just sit and watch the sunset, eating her ice cream- Chunky Monkey, Spike's favorite.

"He loves you and all you can do is sit there and eat ice cream." Dawn fumed, trying to keep from punching her sister in the face.

"Dawn, he has never said he loves me, and I can honestly say I don't love him," Buffy told her sister. "I like him, but I'm not ready for the love you forever, I’m fully baked relationship, yet. I've just got my life back for the first time since I was 15 years old. I have a me to go out and find."

Dawn looked at her sister as if she had two heads. "What are you saying?"

"Dawn, I want to find what it is I want to do with my life. Nick is great, don't get me wrong, but he's not the man I want to settle down and have kids with," Buffy explained, knowing she wanted the family she dreamed about with Spike.

"I just don't understand you. You use men and then wonder why they leave you," Dawn said to hurt her sister.

"I have not used Nick, he knew from the beginning I was not looking for anything but to date and have fun. I told him from the beginning I was far from settling down into a permanent relationship," Buffy told her sister, the words not cutting her as Dawn had planned.

"You used Spike, and Riley," Dawn hissed.

"Yes, I used Spike at first, but I never used Riley. Riley just couldn't handle me being the slayer. He wanted me to lean on him more then I was capable of doing," Buffy explained, with a sad smile on her face.

"You used Spike all along, from the time I can remember, you've used him. You wouldn't know love it if it hit you right in the heart."

"I do know love, and most of all, how much it hurts. As for Spike, I'd built a wall around my heart after Angel that grew thicker after Riley. He still managed to tunnel his way through and claim a portion that still cries out for him. You don't know how much I regret not telling him that night. Instead, I was stupid, and all I let him do was hold me and give me his strength. Dawn no one will love me the way he did, never. Plus, I'm not sure I could let anyone that deep inside my heart again," Buffy whispered as tears threatened to fall.

"He tried to rape you."

"Did he?" Buffy turned her tear streaked face up to look at her sister. "The truth is Dawn you heard Xander's version. You never asked me for mine."

"You mean there are different versions on how to rape someone?" Dawn said sarcastically as she rolled her eyes.

"No, but sometimes pain can make a person, or demon do something terrible they never intended or someone misinterprets," Buffy said as she began to cry. "I wasn't very nice to him either, with all my hot and cold treatment of him. I pushed him to the brink of madness that set him up for the fall. But in the end he still came back to me, with a soul that he got for the girl. That girl being me Dawnie, he went and changed for me. He suffered the insanity, and he pulled himself out of it for me. He fought his inner demon even under the influence of The First because he loved me."

Dawn looked at her sister and noticed the pain in her eyes at the memories she was sharing. They had never talked about Spike and the details that led up to the event in the bathroom. She had heard the others talk about how Spike had fought for his soul for Buffy. Never had she heard it come from her sister's lips.

"When I play his words over in my head from that night in the bathroom all I hear is his pain and agony of not being loved and not knowing how to deal with it. He had come to me to explain how he went to Anya to find something to numb the pain. Instead of seeing him and the pain I had caused him I hurt him more. Every time I needed him he was there, the one time he needed me." Buffy couldn't continue as she sobbed into her hands.

Dawn felt conflicted, a part of her wanted to comfort her sister. The other part of her wanted to lash out and tell her that Nick was more worth than one hundred Spikes. The ringing of the phone broke the moment and the young teenager turned from her sister to answer it.

"Hello."

"Hello little one, is your sister awake?" Nick asked, working his magic on Dawn.

"Yeah, she's awake." Dawn snorted. "Do you really want to talk to her? She's not in the best of moods."

Nick felt concerned, wondering if his little spell on the Slayer was wearing off." Put her on the phone, Bella."

Dawn walked out on the balcony and handed the phone to her crying sister. "It's Nick, talk to him."

Buffy looked up at her sister, shocked by her treatment. She continued to stare and make no attempt to take the phone. The last thing she wanted right now was to talk to Nick. To be honest she really didn't want to see him anymore.

"Buffy, take the phone." Dawn insisted as she thrust the receiver toward her sister.

Buffy shook her head no and stood glaring at her sister before she turned away. The fact that Dawn was treating her like this made her realize she needed to get away from her sister for a while. She would wait for Dawn to go to bed and then she'd call Rona to come and stay for a while.

"Bitch," Dawn said loud enough for her sister to hear.

"I've been told by better judges than you," Buffy replied as she walked past her sister and into the apartment.

"She's not wanting to talk to you right now, she's busy being bitchy Buffy," Dawn whined into the phone.

"Don't worry, Bella we will work it out tomorrow when I come by."

"I hope so, but first you have to make her forget about a certain blonde bad ass," Dawn replied, not realizing he would recognize Spike's description.

"Excuse me?" Nick asked, wondering if it was Spike she was speaking of.

"Oh, it's nothing you need to worry about, he's dead. She just needs to move on, is all I’m saying."

"Oh, I understand." Nick sighed as if he was sympathetic to Buffy's plight. "I will see you tomorrow."

"Okay, see ya then."

As she walked over to hang up the phone she noticed for the first time today's date. It hit her suddenly why her sister was acting so cranky and depressed, it was one year ago today one blonde badass vampire had given his undead life to close the Hellmouth. For the first time since yelling at her sister, she regretted doing so.

*******

Outside of Vegas May 14th 11 a.m.

Oz wondered what Spike had planned for them as he pulled up to the bank just like Ernesto had instructed him. Inside he was to approach a small blonde female with the name of Sonya Jenson. She had everything he needed.

He felt eyes upon him as soon as he entered the bank, and there she stood watching him with knowing look on her face. It would seem she had been expecting him as well as she approached him with a look of friendly recognition.

"Mr. Swanson, how wonderful it is to see you again." She greeted him, letting him know she was in the game. "I have everything ready, just like you'd asked. If you would come with me I have them in my office."

"Thank you Miss Jenson." He replied with a smile as he checked out the rest of the bank with a quick glance, not finding anything that looked or smelled like a setup.

He followed her toward the office, again using his senses to see if he could tell if he was being watched, or if anything seemed out of place. So far, everything felt as it should. No one seemed interested in him at all as they entered her office.

"Don't worry, I have magical wards protecting us here." She was quick to assure him once the door was closed. "I will not betray you, and please tell Lorne, Sonya will protect him with her life if need be."

"I hope it doesn't come to that, but I will let him know." Oz replied, wondering what the demon had done to warrant such loyalty from this woman and Ernesto.

"He saved my brother and for that I owe him my life." Sonya answered the question she saw in the young man's eyes. Not telling him that she was Ernesto's sister. "This box holds all you will need, including several glamour spells if you would need them. This camera has a special film, once you take their picture and put it the identification meant for them, the picture will automatically fit the ID."

"Look out digital." Oz snorted good naturally.

"Inside you will find a birth certificate for the baby. All that needs to be done is whoever wishes to take on his care to sign their names. He will then truly become their son in word and deed. So make sure whoever plans on raising the child as their own forever signs their name. No one should sign it unless they truly wish to be mother or father to the child."

"So if only one right now wishes to be the father only he should sign." Oz made sure he understood.

"Yes, and if and when he finds the woman to share the child with him should he have her sign, making sure she realizes she would then be the child's mother." Sonya clarified. "I also suggest that members of your group change their appearance as much as they can. This blue orb is for Lorne with instructions how to use it. He will take on a human disguise until he breaks the spell."

Oz smirked as a plan came to mind as he replied, "I hear ya. Do you have another one? We have another demon traveling with us."

"Give me a moment to see what I can arrange. Female or Male?" She said as pulled out her cell phone.

"Female."

"Claudia, darling, was wondering if you had another blue orb. It seems the customer would love another one." She asked. "He says the wife would love one too. Great, yes that would be great. See you in a few minutes."

Sonya hung up the phone and said, "It will be here shortly. I will find it on my desk as we leave. Now we must go, the wards are very strong, but are almost at their limit. It's difficult since it's a public place."

"I understand."

"Thank you!" Oz told her, knowing anything more might offend since her sense of loyalty to Lorne.

"I wish you all safe journey. Here is my card if you have any questions and please use the name I have given you to contact me with." She offered as she handed him her business card. "Memorize it and then destroy it."

He followed her out of the office and toward a desk just outside the office. On the chair was a small blue box just sitting there, giving him a sense that they just might be able to pull this off without a hitch. She walked over picking up the box as if it was something she'd forgotten to give him.

"I'm so sorry I had forgotten this Mr. Swanson." She said as she placed on top of what he was carrying, giving him a knowing wink. "I hope you have a nice time down under. I've always wanted to go to Australia."

"Thank you again, Miss Jenson. As always, it has been a pleasure doing business with you." Oz said as he gave her a small bow before leaving.

As he made it to his car he couldn't help but think of the plan he had on how to change Conner and Spike's appearance. He looked around town and knew a little shopping expedition was in order. He'd noticed a department store outside of town and smiled at what he had planned. The thought of Spike's expression made him chuckle as he got behind the wheel of his car.

*******

Somewhere over Europe May 14th 8 p.m.

Xander looked over the night sky and stared at the stars as he relaxed and tried to enjoy the plane ride. He could not believe he was going to Cleveland of all places. But the need to talk with Robin was calling him. Wood was one of the few he could really talk to about some things since the fall of Sunnydale. His plane was landing in Amsterdam and from there he would catch his connection on to The Rock-n-Roll, new demon party, Capital of the world.

The dream he had about Buffy would not go away. He was starting to feel like Anya had come back in his dreams to warn him about something bad. To offer advice how to beat evil, not to recruit him to demon league united. It scared him to think the badness involved Buffy in some way. The connections Faith and Robin made in Cleveland, he was sure someone they knew that could help him to decipher the dream.

If the dream had any substance to it at all, he would do everything in his power to prevent Buffy from falling. The last thing she needed was to go evil Buffy on them, then who would be there to save the day. Because no matter what came along to try and destroy their world, Summers always saved the day.

'Don't worry, Buffy for all the times you saved my ass I will save yours even if I have to die to do it,' Xander silently vowed as he looked out into the darkened sky.

Since the fall of Sunnydale, he'd had a lot of time to reflect. He knew now, that losing his eye was something the preacher had planned to help further distance Buffy from them. It hurt when he realized his getting hurt was the catalyst that made them turn against her leadership of their merry gang of demon fighters. He now understood and accepted the fact that his friend was never at fault for what had happened to him that night. It all belonged to Caleb.

He thought it funny he would be traveling to the new main Hellmouth on the anniversary of the destruction of Sunnydale. He thought of how Spike had called it Sunnyhell and agreed for once with the dusted pain in the ass how true it was. He closed his eyes and tried to grab a few winks before landing. Anya again visited him while he slumbered, telling him he needed to welcome him back with open arms. The only problem was he didn't know who the him was she was talking about.

*******
Chapter Eleven by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Thank you fo the few that has stayed. I really appreciate the support......
Cleveland May 14th 2 p.m.

Andrew walked down to an area they called the Warehouse District, not far from his hotel. It was a popular area since a lot of the nightlife was there, and also along the riverfront called The Flats. His source told him about a place called the Spy Bar on West 6th. Informed him it was owned by a Hoard demon by the name of Nino Biggs.

The city was busy with cars, buses, and people all over the place. A mixture of old and new architecture was noted as he walked by the various buildings. The closer he got to the club the more worried he became. He couldn't help but think how much easier it was to hide a Hellmouth here in Cleveland, than it was in Sunnydale.

His gut told him that this Lorne demon wouldn't be hiding here. Even he was smart enough to know not to hide in an area that was crawling with demons and demon hunters. Especially since there might be a price on your head, or be associated with a demon crime fighter by the name of Angel. But it wouldn't hurt to ask around hoping maybe someone had heard something.

"There you are." He said as he noticed the club just a half a block down as he turned the corner onto West 6th.

The closer he came to his goal he noticed across the street were several restaurants and another club called The Velvet Dog. He looked at his watch and wondered if any one would be around at this time of day. But then if it was a demon bar, it would also have a Happy Hour for the things that couldn't be seen by human's and not send the city into a panic.

Andrew took a deep breath and said to himself, "Spike would just go up and bang on the door and act like he was cock of the walk and get right in." Taking a deep breath he started to channel what he called his inner Spike as he walked up to the door and knocked.

The door opened revealing a man of average height, dark black hair with coal black eyes who asked, "What can I do for you?"

"I'm looking for Nino Biggs, was wondering if I could have few words with him." Andrew again thought of how Spike would sound all manly and deadly as he tried to emulate his hero.

"Depends on who is calling."

"Tell him a representative from the Watcher's Counsel is here to see him." Andrew said in a calm cool and confident manner that even surprised him.

"Gotta name, watcher bait?" The black-eyed demon asked.

"Andrew."

"I'll see if he's hungry." The doorman said with a scary chuckle that made Andrew question his sanity of being here.

"Just let him know I'm not on the menu." Andrew managed to get out and keep his voice from breaking or squeaking.

"I can't make any promises." He said in return right before he shut the door, leaving
Andrew standing there lost for words.

The watcher figured he had three options. First, he could pull out his phone and call Faith to back him up. Something he should've thought of before now. Second choice was to just walk away and forget he ever came. Third one would be to stand his ground and see what he could find out.

Something told him the second one was his best choice, but he no longer had it when the door opened and he was greeted by a woman with shoulder length hair of silver and eyes of a deeper metallic color and as hard as steel.

"A watcher dares to come here." She said, her voice sounding as cold as her eyes appeared and demanded. "You dare to approach us in such an insulting manner such as this."

"I dare to come for I seek answers to questions that need answers." Andrew answered her.

"I must say you are either stupid or brave. I fear it is the first." She replied. "Nino will not see you, for you are beneath him. Go back to the counsel and remind them of the required payment if they seek his services."

"I'm sorry to say this, but the counsel runs things differently now. We are renegotiating all contracts, since the old ones were destroyed. So are you telling me you don't wish to continue our special relationship?" Andrew bluffed, keeping it saved in his mind to ask Giles if the old counsel did make deals with demons.

The woman looked at the young man and tried not to smile. She could smell his fear, but silently applauded his audacity. "Do you have a number that we can contact you at?"

Andrew pulled out his card with his cell phone number on it. "I hope to hear from you soon?"

"You may, you may not." She replied as she shut the door and turned to her lover and said. "What do you think?"

"I think he is bluffing, but I'm curious to find out what he seeks from me." The man who had originally answered the door said.

"I think the time is near that we will be forced to choose sides." She told him, knowing the battle for earth would be fought here in Cleveland.

"I've already chosen. I like my life and the human race as much as I hate them, I'd rather leave things as they are. If the higher Gods come back, they will make slaves of us that are not full demons. No matter if we fight for them or not. At least now we can still move among mankind and live a decent life." Nino answered. "Come tomorrow we will call the watcher and see what it is he truly wants, since there was never any contract to begin with."

"I agree."

"Tell me Liv, what is it you agree with?" He asked his lover and partner.

"All of it my dearest, for we do not need the human's to survive as a food source. But we do need them to continue to make a more then comfortable living by. The rising up of the old ones would take that away from us." She replied, knowing what she was saying was true. "I will not bow down because I happen not to be a full demon. I don't trust what this Wolfram and Hart is trying to sell. I think they are lying just to help defeat the humans and they will make us their slaves if they inherit the earth, for I'm with you and nothing or no one will separate us."

"I knew you'd see it my way. Come tomorrow we will call this watcher and see what it is he wants. If nothing else he might lead us to whom it is we need to talk to, so we can offer our services."

"I'm with you, my love." She replied as she took his hand and let him lead her back to their office.

*******

Rome International Airport May 14th 9:30 p.m.

Buffy stood in line to board her flight. Rona had come to stay with Dawn and asked no questions. A letter for her sister was in the junior slayer's care to give at breakfast, not before. The call for her to go to Cleveland was strong, feeling it was a place she'd be able to work out some of her frustrations. Since it was the main Hellmouth now, there had to be some demon action to disrupt.

She had a two hour layover in Amsterdam, and had left Giles a message, thinking he'd want to hear about her plans and if he had to contact her to use her cell phone. Maybe he'd have more news about Angel and the others as well. She moved on though the security checks, as her thoughts continued to buzz about in her head. When she found her seat, she felt more relaxed than she had since coming to Rome.

The hum of the engine lulled her to sleep, with no Dawn, Nick, or leaving Rome entering her zone. Instead, she dreamed of holding a baby and a familiar British voice saying, "Beautiful, Luv, her beauty only second to her gorgeous Mum."

*******

London May 14th 8:30 p.m.

Dana lay staring at the ceiling. She kept to herself most of the day, trying to keep anyone from paying attention to her. Most of the time she still couldn't believe she was feeling normal again, or what she considered normal. She just wasn't sure how to go about letting her caretakers know.

The place was nice, especially compared to other places she'd been over the years. Now she knew that she hadn't been fully crazy, for vampires did exist. It no longer was a figment of her imagination or delusions brought on by the horrors she'd been put through in that basement so long ago.

Tomorrow Mrs. Shears would be back, and that was the one person she had come to trust more than anyone. The woman would know what to do and who to contact to get her out of here. The knowledge that she would soon be able to walk among society again made her smile, as she drifted off to sleep. For now, she was not afraid of what she dreamed, it only made her resolve to get out and move on with her life only grow stronger.

*******

Giles sat by the fire drinking his brandy laced tea. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was coming. It was like the night the he found his friend dying from wounds inflicted by members of The Bringers. The fear that came over him that night again was clawing at his soul.

Something about Buffy's message didn't feel right. Why would she feel the need to go to Cleveland, since she never really developed a relationship with Faith or Robin? He just wished he had not missed her phone call, so he could have eased his mind by asking her. Instead, he now had to wait for her to arrive in Cleveland to find out the answer.

It didn't help he had no clue to what Andrew was up to at the moment. He would hate to have to go and take care of this matter himself, but knew it could end up that way. The answer to whether it was Angel or Angelus that was responsible was very important to know. Also the information as to why the others followed him, or had Angelus turned them into members of the undead society. It was times like this he hated the fact he ever became a watcher, wishing he'd been blessed with the gift of ignorance to what he knew today.

*******

Las Vegas May 14th 1 p.m.

Spike felt a rush of air between his legs causing him to look down, "Bloody Hell, I'm in a dress."

Something familiar about outfit seemed to be at the edge of his brain, but he couldn't put his finger on it. He was sure it was significant to remember why it would be important to recognize the dress, but again he kept hitting a wall.

"A lovely dress it is my pretty." Wesley cackled, as he stood before him dressed in a black gown.

"Nice hat ya got there, Percy." Spike replied, taking in the ex-watcher's getup. "How much mileage can one get on a big stick like that these days?"

"I wouldn't talk about outerwear if I was you." Wes snorted, with a evil smirk on his face as he looked at Spike's clothes. "If your hair was longer you could sport the pigtails too, Dorothy wanna be."

"Spike, ignore him, he's just trying to keep you from getting home." A familiar voice said, "Find the right road that leads you home, not by ship or by plane for they will lead you astray."

"What the-" Spike said in wonder when he noticed Angel all dressed in white hovering in the sky.

"Don't speak, just listen, that is where you always messed up, you never listened." Angel sighed, as he looked at Wesley, "Never would think black would be your color."

"Oh Precious, I think it suits me just fine. Hides the blood stains if you know what I mean." Wesley shrugged as he looked down at his black nails. "Neither of you told me how good true evil could feel."

"Because it's really not your gig, mate. You’re a white hat." Spike said.

"Am I, hmmm, what has it ever got me, being a white that is." He asked, "I mean all it got me was dead."

"Spike, don't let him keep you from your path. His destiny and salvation lies with someone else…you have to find home, she needs you. Heart and Home, home is in your heart you will find her for she is home." Angel said, "You have gathered your forces now take them to the next step. Time is running out, for the battle continues and soon it will be the end of the war."

Spike tilted his head as he tried to understand what Angel was telling him, he was sure he knew, but wasn't sure. He looked behind him and noticed everyone was there and then it hit him. Someone was really playing with his mind right now, for Lorne was dressed as the Tin Man, Conner as the Scarecrow, Blue was the lion, and Oz was a larger replica of Toto.

"So, I need to find my ruby red slippers and click three times and repeat, 'there's no place like home'. Just like in the movie." Spike said as he realized he was dressed as Dorothy, "Why the hell do I get to be Dorothy?"

Wesley chuckled as he looked over at Illyria, "For you are the champion that can lead us all home."

"Well, don't expect me to sing follow the yellow brick road." Spike snorted as he reached up to find two bows his hair, "Oi, can't a man have some pride."

"Pride goes before the fall, remember that." Another familiar voice said, as the blonde vampire turned and saw Giles standing before him, dressed as the wizard. "Do not let pride be your downfall, as it was for others before you."

"Why do you and peaches get to be the higher ups here?" Spike growled.

"As tests to your demeanor, patience, and willingness to listen." Giles replied.

"Yeah, well where is Buffy? When is she gonna come out and play the goodie good witch?" Spike asked as he waited for her appearance.

"Because that part belongs to me." Tara said as she appeared before him, "Listen William to all that’s been said. Let the words stay in your head, for they will save you one day soon. They will lead you home, to rest, to love, to grow old."

"Or not and you can come with me." Wesley offered with a mocking smile.

"Get off, you ponce, you're the wicked witch. No playing with you." Spike waved him off.

"Too bad, I think we'd make great playmates." Wesley wagged his eyebrows.

"Sorry, mate only dabbled there once and won't go there again, like the ladies much better." Spike chuckled.

"Go home Spike, so much is riding on you finding home." Giles stressed as he glared at the ex-watcher.

"So where is home, you haven't told me?" He asked.

"Close you eyes and wish hard, for it will become obvious, for in your heart the answer lays." Tara smiled as she leaned in and gently kissed his lips. Suddenly everything went black right before he woke up gasping for breath.

He looked down and noticed he was wearing his usual black tee shirt and jeans. He reached up touching his hair relieved that the bows were no longer there. It had seemed so real, like he'd been there. Lying back he played the dream back listening to everything and everyone. There was a whisper in the background that he couldn't make out. He concentrated and wondered why he couldn't hear the words clearly.

Subtracting each noise and word from his mind he concentrated solely on the whisper. Something told him it would tell him what he needed to know about home if he could only make out the word. Then he remembered Tara's voice telling him to think hard as he looked toward his heart for the answer.

"Buffy" Came loud and clear and at last he understood. Home was Buffy, his Slayer was home and she needed him.

"But they said follow the road, no plane would get me there." He repeated Angel's words and realized that maybe Buffy was coming to the states."

The sound of Oz returning gave him an idea on how to find out. Supposedly Faith and Wood was in Cleveland. Oz could go to Cleveland and do some reconnaissance on finding out where Buffy was. Now that the plan was made, he rolled off the bed to go and find out how the wolf made out on his mission.

*******

Somewhere Mystical

Nick sat at his desk trying to figure out what went wrong with his little spell on the slayer. It was working as normal until recently and faded too quickly for his comfort. He still had the most important Summers still under his control, and that was all that really mattered. He had the key to unlock the underworld when it was time. His army would again have free fun of earth and his law would govern them all.

Humans would again be food to feed the demon masses, as it was back in the old days. He just never expected the Purian race to be resurrected, and he had the guardians to blame for that. But by the time they figured it out it would be to late, his army will be here and they would conquer them all.

His time with the supposed Chosen One made him laugh. If she was what stands between me taking over the world it will be like taking candy from a baby. He believed victory over the first was more a fluke, if the guardian had not interfered, and if Spike didn't wear the amulet it would've ended there. The winning of that battle he gave to Angel for giving The Slayer the amulet that closed the Hellmouth.

*******

Joyce stood glaring at Tara as she asked, "What about Dawn?"

"Joyce, we could not let on about the key, for it would lead him from his path." Tara explained.

"My Dawnie is in more danger."

"No she isn't, she is the safest of them all." Tara reassured her, "The beast is too strong for the Chosen One or the Champion to take on alone, they are stronger together, always have been always will be."

"Listen to her Joyce, she's telling you the truth. You see how he's manipulated Buffy so far, having used her grief against her." Cordelia explained, "But we've managed to work on changing that."

"By having her dream about Spike." Joyce realized

"Yes, the dreams of Spike." Tara answered.

"The power of love, even if you think the one you love is dead, is a powerful magic." Tara said as she gave Joyce a hug, "Have faith, have hope they too are a powerful weapon."

"I'm sorry, I should have them both." Joyce sighed.

"It's normal to question things right now. You want both of your daughters safe." Cordy voiced her understanding of Joyce's feelings.

"I always did like him, even after finding out he was a vampire." Joyce shared, hoping he'd be able to keep her girls safe.

"You are one of the reasons he changed." Tara thought it would help if the woman knew this. "Joyce you gave him your trust and ear, and in return he respected you more then anyone since he'd been turned. It really wasn't as much as the chip that helped him, but the time you spent with him. You and Dawn helped to bring forth some of the humanity the demon had tried to destroy when he was first turned."

"Do you think the Powers understand?" Joyce asked, feeling nervous they were mad.

"Why do you think they sent us here to reassure you they are doing every in their power to keep them both safe." Tara told her. "We have to go now, so much we still have to do."

"Let me know what I can do." Joyce offered.

"Your time to contribute will come." Tara said before she and Cordy turned and left.

*******

London May 14th 9 p.m.

Willow looked out the window remembering when she had spent time here around two years ago. Back when she needed a place to fix what her grief and cockiness had broken. Since leaving the Coven she had continued to grow into her magic, and since the powerful magic she used to convert all the potentials into slayers she had come to appreciate meditating and letting nature guide her.

"Ah, there you are," Megan said as she noticed Willow's melancholy expression. "So what has you so deep in thought?"

"I can't help but feel that something bad is coming." Willow answered as she looked up at her fellow Wicca with a worried look on her face.

"I know the Coven has talked about nothing else since Sabrina spoke of her vision about the devils trying to reclaim earth." Megan sighed.

Willow looked at the dark haired beauty that still looked to be about 17 years old, when in fact she was 45 instead. "Megan, I had a dream and it confused me."

"Tell me." Megan came to sit on the other side of the table, taking the younger girl's hand gently into hers. "I feel your fear, tell me."

"I dreamt that I delivered my friend Buffy's baby." Willow smiled sadly.

"Why does that make you sad?"

"Cause the father was someone that died, not once, but twice," Willow tried to explain.

"Died twice?" Megan felt a tremble in the life force around her. "Tell me about the man that died twice and still managed to come into your dream and become a father."

Willow relaxed and told her about Spike and how he'd died and came back as a vampire, how he tried to kill them, including Buffy since she was the slayer. By the time she finished telling about how Spike became chipped, had an affair with Buffy that led him to fighting for and winning his soul for her, and then his dying for her, Megan was smiling softly letting it all sink in.

"He is not as dead as you think." Megan looked at the young woman's shocked face. "I'm thinking you will find him and you will then find your true love as well."

"But, Tara was my true love." Willow glared.

"Do not close your heart out of grief, but let it open and meet your destiny, my child." Megan smiled as she encouraged the powerful witch before her to let her heart be her guide. "Life can be long and lonely to believe that a lost love was your true love, yes you loved her and she loved you, but she would understand that there is more here for you then living life as if you are dead."

"Life is death, death is life, it is the living we do between the two that makes life worth living, or dying for." Megan hummed as she continued to read the images in her mind. "Yes, you will be needed in this new battle that is brewing, or should I say that has been brewing for a long time now."

"Your dream means that in your hands you hold the gift of life and the life of your friend's." Megan slumped down as the spiritual connection left her. "Be careful and choose your friends carefully. I see people from your past, and not all of them will be welcome at first, but keep your mind open as to why they are truly here and that it is you they have found."

Willow looked over at her friend with concern. "Megan, are you okay?"

"Yes, my dear, I'm fine." Megan sat up straighter and smiled. "I hope I did not confuse you too badly, but I cannot tell you more."

"I understand." Willow sighed.

"I believe in you, Willow." Megan looked deeply into the young girl's face. "You have to believe in yourself and half the battle will be won."

Megan stood up and walked over and stood behind the young woman who had a lot of decisions to make soon. "Your friend is going to need you, but you cannot go to her until the time is right, and he will know when the time is right, trust him."

"Who?"

"Trust your instinct, let your heart guide you and it will come to you." Megan sighed, "I'm sorry I cannot tell you more. I would be interfering in decisions that should be yours and yours alone, in fact I think I may have told you more then what I should already."

Willow closed her eyes and wished Tara was here to talk to, she had a way to ground her, just like Oz had done. She opened her eyes wide looked over her shoulder only to find that Megan had left the room. She wondered if she was about to see Oz again. Would he be the one she would have to trust, and that he would be the one with the answers too what was going on.

Megan walked to her room, knowing soon her time to meet evil was coming. It would be with her last breath that she would protect those that had come to mean a great deal to her. One of them being the red headed little witch she left in the kitchen. Agnes was right; the battle of all battles was soon to be fought. Her sister would have to carry the burden of leading them, for her time to pass over was soon approaching.

Breaking one little rule, she had placed a name in the young woman's head. When he brought the information needed, it would help her to make sense of the dream, for she would not be alone. The fact the message would come with her death saddened her, knowing how the passage of someone else had pushed the young woman over the edge.

*******
Chapter Twelve by Kimber
Las Vegas May 14th 2 p.m.

Spike was happy he couldn't see himself in the mirror. The last time he dyed his hair black was back when the Nazi's where trying to conquer the world. He knew the women still loved it, just not as much as when he was a blonde.

"Look at who's the blondie now." He teased as he looked at Angel's son. "Me thinks your Dad would be brooding over this one. Wantin' to be like me and all."

Conner glared as he looked at himself in the mirror. "Not sure I like this plan much."

"How do you think I feel?" Lorne asked, standing before them in human form. He stood looking at them with a forlorn expression. Sporting short dark hair and brown eyes that looked sad and afraid. "Couldn't he have found me another demon disguise?"

"I think ya look rather dapper, mate. The women are going to swarm all around ya, like bees to honey." Spike tried to reassure him. "It could've been worse; it could have been some kind of slimy lookin' demon."

"True." Lorne agreed with a sigh as he turned to stare at their once blue skinned demon who now was back to looking like Fred, but with shoulder length red hair. She too would be looking her human self on a consistent basis until the spell was reversed.

"Well, now we get to take our pictures and assume our new identities." Spike looked at them all and said. "Blue, I guess you're not blue anymore."

"No, it would seem I'm now Mary Margaret Clark." She replied reading off the name on her identification.

"I'm Clark Thomas Kent." Connor read off his name.

"Better then Lawrence Henry Small," Lorne reluctantly divulged his.

"I'm Alexander William Luthor." Spike said as he rolled his eyes. "Anyone else watch Smallville?"

"No, why?" Lorne asked.

"Superman sound familiar?" Spike asked as he caught on to the humor this all provided.

"Hey, Lex." Conner addressed Spike with a goofy smile as he said, "too much hair, don't ya think?"

"Nope, he was my evil brother. The bloke had a 'hate the world complex 'cause he lost all his hair." Spike laughed as he gave his answer, happy someone else was able to pick up the similarities.

"How about Aidan?" Conner asked.

"I guess we'll change it to Aidan Quinn Luthor." Spike answered and then added, "You didn't think I was going to add Jonathon to his name did ya? No way, and not Lionel either."

"Now we just have to find you a Lana." Conner joked.

"I need a Lois, and I know just where to find her, well maybe." Spike replied as he turned to look at Oz. "So you changing your name or staying with Oz."

"Oz."

"Good, I need to you do something for me." Spike agreed, knowing the wolf boy would be able to move in more circles under his own name.

"What?"

"I need you to go to Cleveland. I hear it's where Faith is and she'll know what Buffy is up to." Spike answered, knowing in his heart his slayer was coming to the states.

"I thought she's in Rome." Lorne added, wondering what was going on.

"Could be she might come to the states to make sure everything with Angel is on the up and up." Spike suggested. "I don't want to go one place and find she's somewhere else."

"So you think we need to see Buffy?" Oz asked.

"Yeah, they'll go after her next." Spike explained, as he started to make sense of the dream he had. The only thing that didn't make sense was the fact Giles was the only one in the dream that was still alive.

"On it." Oz agreed, knowing if anyone would know about Buffy, it would be Faith. "What are you going to do?"

"Follow you. It's just you can travel faster on your own." Spike answered, as he continued to think things out.

"We could fly him there." Conner suggested.

"No, too many cameras. Best he drives and keeps a low profile." Spike countered, thinking the less any of them are seen the better.

"I could leave now." Oz offered. "I will call when I get there."

"Good, check in when you feel it's safe." Spike instructed. "Don't let them know wr're comin', or that anyone survived. I'm sure the baddies are goin' be keepin' their peeps on them."

"Gotcha, will make like I just happened to drop in." Oz shared his possible makings of a plan.

"Sounds perfect." Spike agreed. "Be careful, and be safe."

Oz chuckled as he leaned in and whispered, "What have you done with Spike?"

The vampire smirked as he winked as said, "If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya."

"I guess I'll see you in Cleveland." Oz said with a smile, feeling fortunate to have Spike on his side.

Osborne couldn't help but be thankful he'd packed a few things, just like Ernst had told him to do. Since the man had not wanted him to return to Las Vegas. His friend and now ex-boss had explained it would be best if he left town and kept a low profile. What little he owned that he couldn't bring with him, he put in storage. He was sure he'd get them one day when it was safe to return to Vegas.

"We'll only be a day maybe two behind you." Spike told him as he looked at his rag tag team. "If anyone wants out, now is the time."

The room was silent as they looked at each other, causing Spike to say, "All for saving the world raise their hands."

Without hesitation all in the room hands went up. Even Illyria's hand was up without a second thought. She kept to herself, that yet again she could feel Fred's presence inside her, telling her they needed to do this. Deep in her heart she also knew her actions had something to do with a man who happened to touch something inside of her. Wesley's face appeared before her as she silently vowed to die protecting those in this room.

"Then let's get a move on, we have the human race to save and baddies to slay." Spike announced right before Aidan made everyone aware he needed some attention directed his way.

*******

Cleveland May 14th 5 p.m.

Andrew stepped out of the cab and looked at the two-story house that the rogue slayer and her boyfriend lived. After becoming more acquainted with the area around The Spy Club, he'd returned back to his room. He thought about calling Giles, just for the hell of it, but decided not to unnecessarily upset his boss.

He found it funny that Faith and Robin lived on a street called Fullerton. The oddity was the fact it had an elementary school, as well as a funeral home located down the street from one another. Instead of a high school, it was Fullerton Elementary that lay over the Hellmouth. Just thinking about the symbol that lay somewhere in the dark basement of the educational institution brought back bad memories he'd rather forget about.

He wished he had more he could tell the dark haired slayer, but everything pointed to the fact Angel had went evil. The one thing he also hoped was that she or Robin would know more about this Nino Biggs and the silver woman who worked for him. He wanted to talk to Lorne to find out why he wasn't seen fighting with Angel by the surveillance photos. Maybe he could shed some light on Wesley as well.

The front door opened as he walked up the front steps. Before he stepped his foot on the porch Faith said, "You squirt had better be the bearer of good news."

Andrew stopped and said, "Why, hello Andrew, so nice too see you. How have you been? Was the flight smooth or did you have a lot of turbulence. You know it's been so long, have you found a girlfriend yet?"

Robin chuckled at the younger man's antics and could see he'd struck his girl's funny bone as well as he replied. "Hello, Andrew. Why don't you come in and have a seat. We can catch up on things and you can tell us what brought you here."

"Now, that is a more hospitable welcome. I could use something cold to drink." Andrew replied as he entered the house.

Faith turned and glared at her significant other as she sarcastically said, "Just make yourself right at home, Andy," as she followed Andrew into the house.

"Thanks, and it's Andrew, please." The newly appointed watcher answered as he walked over and took a seat on the recliner. "Now I can just tell you all I know so far, or you can ask specifically what it is you want to know."

Robin let his wife pass him and followed her example, sitting next to her on the couch. For now he decided to keep quiet, so Faith could find out all she wanted to know. Then he'd start asking questions he needed answers too.

"Angel or Angelus?" Faith asked the first question that came to mind.

"To be honest, other then hearsay it's Angelus. I'm trying to put some feelers out for a member of his group that appeared not to be directly involved. He's some green demon."

"You must be talking about Lorne." Faith practically whispered, neither man, barely heard her. "He's more a lover, not a fighter best to my understanding."

"Well any who, he's missing. Not sure if friend or foe for either Angelus or us, which brings me to another question. What do you know about a Nino Biggs?" Andrew asked, and noticed how Faith rolled her eyes and Robin just shook his head. "I take you know of him."

"We've met on a few occasions." Robin replied and then asked, "Why do you want to know?"

"I had checked around in L.A. about Lorne and this Nino's name kept popping up."

"Would make sense, Biggs and Sliver had a few clubs in the City of Angels." Faith enlightened him, "For some reason they pulled up stakes and moved here. Have a few clubs and run a few other legit businesses here."

"I would love to talk to him."

"Not sure he will let someone from the counsel come knocking on his door." Robin informed him, wondering what Nino could possibly tell them.

"Well, he does have my number." Andrew decided to share. "I went for a little walk before coming here, and a lady with silver hair answered the door when I found the club."

"How do you think he will help?" Robin asked.

"I figure he might have heard more then we did, since it was really a demon thing between Angelus and the Partners." Andrew answered.

"Could be your right, why do you think he will tell you if he does?" Faith asked, wondering if maybe she should have a chat with Silver.

"Don't know really, but it's worth trying." Andrew replied, "But won't know unless he calls me and agrees to meet with me."

Faith leaned back feeling tired, "I will give Silver a call and see what she says."

"You know her?"

"Not really, but we've been friendly on the occasions we've met. But it will have to wait until later." Faith offered, but feeling suddenly very tired.

"Go lay down for a while, baby. I'll wake you up in an hour or two." Robin suggested, having noticed how tired she looked all of a sudden.

"Yeah, sounds like a plan. Wake me up in about an hour." She said with a smile as she stood to leave; only stopping to assure Andrew she was okay. "Don't worry mini watcher man; we'll get to the bottom of things."

"Are you feeling okay?" Andrew asked, feeing nervous at how pale she had become and ill looking.

"Just tired is all, not much sleep lately." She covered, not wanting the pregnancy to be on the watcher wire until she wanted them to know.

"Oh, right. Then get some rest and you can call me later." Andrew said as he stood to go.

"No, stay for dinner, Robin's cooking so it will be eatable." Faith reassured him as she turned to leave. "I will call Silver when I get up. Maybe you should report off to Giles sometime."

"I will when I have more to tell him. I just want to exhaust all my avenues before I really close the chapter on this. I just can't help but think there's something more going on." Andrew sighed. "I mean, I think someone would've been able to contact us."

Faith sighed as she looked at her lover and offered. "Maybe you can find out all you can about Lorne and see if you can find anyone who was friends with him. Could be he might try and contact one of them for help, that is if he's still alive."

"I'll see what I can do." Robin agreed, thinking more and more that things were about to become more complicated. "Now go and get some rest and me and Andrew will see what we can find out."

"Love ya, baby."

"Love you too." Robin replied as she kissed his cheek. "How does soup and grilled cheese sound?" He asked knowing she might now want a whole lot to eat.

"Sounds great, actually." She said before going into the house.

"So, I take it me and you are going to surf the watcher's information central?" Andrew asked.

"Let's go to the computer room and see what we can come up with." Robin suggested, as he stood up.

Andrew followed, hoping they would find something that would lead them to this Lorne fellow. He was sure the green demon held all the important answers they were looking for. Plus, it meant he could email Giles a report of what he knew so far and what he planned to do to find out more. You can't hang up on an email he thought to himself.

*******

Amsterdam May 15th 12 a.m.

Buffy leisurely walked through the Amsterdam airport on her way to where her connecting flight would be. There was the six-hour lay over before her direct flight to Cleveland, Ohio would depart. She really wished she'd been able to talk to Giles before she left. But looking at the time, it was too late to call him now.

She decided to just wander around and see what little eateries were close to her gate. The plan turned in to having a bite to eat and finding a book to read during the wait and on the flight, if she couldn't find a place to sleep. She felt it was a waste to get a hotel for only a few hours. Buffy knew deep down if she hadn't left when she had, she never would have.

Since leaving Rome, she felt more like her old self, more in control of her life. She wondered if it had anything to do with the fact she and Dawn just was not getting along. Then there was the subject of Nick, and just not knowing what he wanted from her. Wondering how and why she ever ended mixed up with him in the first place kept picking at her brain.

The bookstore she noticed had all the recent best sellers out on display as she walked in. The smell of the books made her smile, for some reason they made her think of Spike. Several books caught her attention all of them romance novels. The one that really called to her had a handsome man with blue eyes wearing a cape pictured on the cover. The title, 'The Claiming', beckoned her to pick it up. After reading the summary she knew she had to have it. It was a tale of love, betrayal, and forgiveness as the once evil vampire fought the forces of evil for the love of a mortal woman.

She picked that one and one other to have at her disposal during her trip. She paid for her books and placed them in her carryon. Her stomach gurgled letting her know she needed to eat, when the aroma of something wonderfully tempting teased her senses. She followed the delicious smell down to a pub that was just a short distance from the bookstore.

As she entered the pub she noticed someone that looked somewhat familiar. The hair was longer, and the scruffy making of a five o'clock shadow was something she'd never associate with her old friend. Just the thought of seeing Xander right now was good and bad. Good, cause no matter what he was still one of her oldest and dearest friend. Bad, cause he like Dawn had a tendency to judge her and make her feel unworthy at times. He would not understand her pain right now with Angel and might even do the 'I told you so' routine on her.

*******

Xander sat and scanned the menu, wondering what he wanted to go with his ale. He couldn't help but think he should have called ahead to tell Robin he was coming for a visit. But thought he'd call them from the hotel once he got into town. He still laughed when he thought of the neighborhood the couple lived in. Who would've thought they would have settled in a community called Slavic Village.

He looked up at the doorway having felt as if someone was staring at him. He noticed a petite blonde that resembled Buffy. At first he was about to brush it off when it hit him, it was Buffy.

"Buffy!" He said as he stood up.

"Xander?" She replied, recognizing him under the scruff and giving him a welcoming smile.

"Summers, what the heck are you doing here?" He ask as he met her halfway, both of them hugging the other tightly.

"I needed to get away for awhile." She replied, feeling relaxed having her friend near. "I've missed you."

Xander smiled and relaxed at hearing her whisper, 'I've missed you', and said, "I've missed you too."

Buffy leaned back and asked, "So, where are you heading?"

"Thought I would drop in and visit Mr. and Miss Hellmouth and see what's been cooking over the doorway to Hell." Xander joked, feeling a little like his old self again.

She placed her hands on his cheeks and as she looked his face over, "Nice job, I like." She said, noticing the great job someone had done with his new eye.

Xander chuckled, "Yep, can't tell it was a window, or a marble, in its last life, can you?"

"Nope, and it looks really good." Buffy reassured him only to have her stomach demand attention.

"Looks like someone hasn't eaten in a while?"

"Nope, me need food." She said in her cavewoman tone.

"Just stay away from the ale, cavewoman." Xander chuckled as he did the courteous thing and pulled out a chair for her. "So what flight are you on?"
Chapter Thirteen by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Oh you Wesley lovers.......have faith........
On the road May 14th 7 p.m.

Conner drove as Spike slept. Lorne was taking care of Aidan, while Illyria sat quietly in the passenger seat. Oz had left about four hours ago. He, like the others agreed with Spike that Oz would be able to travel faster and safer on his own. Today they had taken their time, shopping for clothes, food, and supplies they'd need on the road.

He wanted to ask his new mentor more about slayers, but he'd seen the pain in the vampire's eyes earlier and it held him back from asking. Now was not the time, but he knew he'd have to ask soon. Something told him it was information he was going to need to know more about.

Conner looked over and noticed the intense look on Illyria's face. "What are you thinking about? He asked, not used to seeing emotion of any kind on her face.

Illyria turned and answered by asking, "Why do you want to know?"

"Could be I'm looking to strike up a conversation to make the time go quicker, or maybe I'm asking as a friend why you are looking so serious right now." He offered as an explanation.

"You are a lot like Spike." She told him as she watched his reaction to her words.

"In what way?" He asked curious how she came to think that.

"You are both more curious then you should be. You both also have a way of expressing yourself that makes one pay attention, or get angry and react to your words."

"Hmmm, could be a family trait, or just a coincidence." He answered, thinking to himself he'd have to pay closer attention to the vampire.

"I was trying to make sense of everything that has happened so far. Asking myself why I'm here helping the humans." She suddenly said, not knowing why she was sharing this with him.

He heard the underlying confusion in her voice. Just wasn't sure if it was because she was in Fred's image and so some of Fred's thought and beliefs were fighting to be noticed. Unless it was something else was happening to the warrior goddess altogether.

"Honestly, I think it's normal to question one's self. I know I question myself too. There are only two answers I can come up with. One is I want to carry on my father's mission to help the helpless. Second is that I like living in this world and will fight to keep from it being taken over by demons who wish to destroy all humans or enslave them." He explained, hoping it would help her with what she appeared to be going through.

"Why this world? So much death, destruction, and betrayal brought on by their greed and selfishness." She asked, wondering why he'd want to save this world.

"I give you that, but there is also continuing life for the human race like we see in Aidan. Loyalty and bravery exists, as seen among those that were willing to die to protect mankind, like Gunn, Wesley, and Cordy." Conner gave as his reasons. "No they are not perfect, but would the demons do any better? Their own greed and selfishness brought on down their fall from power, didn't it?"

She replied, "You are wise for one so young," finding his words inspiring her to remain by their sides. "If the demons do take over, then it would be the end of mankind. For they would not let a human live, since they'd defeated them once before."

"Let's just say I've lived more then a lifetime in my short time here on earth. I just hope I get a chance to add a few more years, and make my dad proud." Again, his words touched a part of her that made her belief he and others like him deserved to have a chance to make this a better world.

Illyria looked at the young man before her and felt something strange happening inside of her. Somewhere inside she knew he was giving her the reason why she would fight beside them. During her time observing them she came to realize if given the chance the humans would be more open to pure demons living amongst them, then the pure demons accepting humans. For evil men and women walked upon this earth, and the brave fought to protect others from them. Where the pure demons would let the weak perish, for within them it was survival of the fittest.

"Did you know this Fred very well?" She asked.

"Not as much as I'd have like too. I was one angry young man when I was returned to them." Conner sighed, feeling a sense of loss of having never going to be able to change any of that with his dad's friends.

"I wish you can tell me more about her. Maybe tell me why you were never close to your father."

Conner gripped the steering wheel tighter as he answered, "Sure, I'll tell you what I remember."

Illyria sat back and listened as Conner gave her some history on this person's body she'd taken over. Then felt a sense of sadness when he explained his past, and how he had came to be separated as a baby from his family. Any time he mentioned Wesley's name she felt as if a part of her was missing. He continued on telling her everything that had happened to him, giving her a better understanding of everyone and everything around her.

*******

Lorne rocked the baby back and forth as he listened as Conner and Illyria talked. Something about her was different. He was sure it had something to do with her being in Fred's image all the time now. He felt a sense of sadness and yet happiness as Conner told her about the others.

Soon he slowly tuned them out, as he started to think to ask himself. He wondered if Nino and Silver would help them once they arrived in Cleveland. Nino, he knew had no love for pure demons, and neither did Silver. It would be something to talk to Spike about at a later date.

"Sleep little one, your daddy dearest, will sleep better if you do. I think." Lorne whispered to the baby after noticing Spike tossing unusually in his sleep. The vampire usually slept like the undead that he was.

*******

Cleveland May 14th 9 pm

Faith sat at the crowded bar as Robin stood beside her. Both keeping an eye out for either Silver or Nino, having been told either one of them would make an appearance. Faith's slayer sense told her they were being watched very closely. Her gut was telling her that soon one of the two owners would make contact.

Robin watched as the bartender approached them. He wondered if the man were coming to tell them that one of his bosses would see them now. His gut was burning, for he felt that something big about to go down.

"She will see you now."

"Fine." Robin replied.

"Only the Slayer was invited." The bartender informed them, "and I was told there would be no negotiations."

Robin was about to say something when Faith motioned for him to keep quiet as she turned and answered, "Lead the way."

Wood watched as his girl stood up and followed the bartender down to the end of the bar and then disappeared. He placed his hand near his weapons. Tonight he carried a mixture of stakes, a gun with silver bullets, and another one loaded with holy water, and a bowie knife. Around his neck he wore a gold cross that Faith had given him.

*******

Silver sat behind her desk waiting for the second oldest slayer to arrive. She had mixed feelings about agreeing to this meeting, but the woman had proved in the past she could be trusted to keep her word.

"Please have as seat." Silver offered once Faith entered her office.

"Thank you." Faith replied, deciding this would be a time that politeness would be the course of action.

"I will get right to the point then, what is it we can do for you?" Silver asked.

"Was wondering if you could help us locate someone?" Faith asked.

"It might depend on who it is you seek." Silver answered with an expression Faith couldn't read.

"You know a demon by the name of Lorne?"

"I might, why do you ask?"

"We share a mutual friend that he might be able to give me some answers about." Faith offered, keeping things low key for now.

"I see." Silver replied as she sat forward leaning her arms on the desk top. "I'm not sure I can help you with this matter."

"Why is that?" Faith asked, feeling a sense the woman knew more then she was letting on.

"It would bring unwanted eyes here if I would even attempt to find him right now."

"So he's alive?"

"That would mean I would have to ask around and find out. It would still be unacceptable right now for us to do something like that. We do not want the eyes of those more powerful then ours upon us." Silver said without any emotion noted, nothing that would given Faith any incentive to continue.

"I hope once things settle down you might be able to help us locate him." Faith offered, hoping the demon's answer would give her some idea if she'd help them later on.

"Why is this so important to you?" Silver asked, hoping to get the woman to open up more.

"I have a hard time believing that Angel tried to overtake evil.com." Faith decided to be upfront. "I think Lorne would be able to give me answers I need to find out what really happened."

"I hear a woman's intuition it very seldom wrong." Silver replied as her lips formed a knowing smirk. "Tell me about this so called watcher Andrew?"

"He's fresh and untouched to what they used to be."

"So, he has not been corrupted by the power of the counsel?" The woman asked.

"Not that I can tell, and most of the old fogies aren't around anymore." Faith answered, knowing the subject on Lorne was closed for now.

"He intrigued Nino and he feels he can trust the human." Silver decided to share that bit of information. "My other half wishes to meet with him tomorrow night."

"That can be arranged. I think it might even make Andrew's day." Faith said with a snicker, "He's not really bad once you get to know him."

"For some reason I think you are lying to me." Silver replied, thinking the man seemed annoying to her.

"I guess you will have to get to know him yourself and find out." Faith suggested as she smiled mischievously.

"I will pass a message on to this Andrew if we should meet again." Silver offered knowing she couldn't tell Faith anything more without talking to Nino first.

"I appreciate that you've taken the time to see me."

"I have to say, you've grown into a remarkable woman and before you say anything, we've been watching slayers for quite sometime now. All demons who wish to survive do." Silver said, while thinking to herself how they'd been waiting for when The Chosen One to appear. That with her resurrection she would bring back the race that once was so powerful they sent the demon God's to their resting place.

"I'm not surprised. I guess I would've done the same."

"I wish you luck in finding the person it is you seek." Silver said as she stood, indicating the conversation was over.

"Thank you for your time." Faith politely said, not wanting to push, realizing how much she'd come to be more diplomatic under Robin's guidance.

No more words were said as the slayer left the office and Nino Biggs entered using a secret door. The look they shared made them cringe, for both knew the human woman was pregnant. Making that one more significant sign telling them that the time to choose a side had come.

"Do you know how to contact Lorne?" Silver asked her lover.

"He's phone is no longer working." Nino said with a hint of sadness to his voice. "I could contact Ernie, but I'm not sure I should involve him in this just yet."

"I think we talk with this Andrew and see what information we can get out of him. Get an idea if this new Watcher's Counsel is really new and improved or still as untrusting as the last one."

"If Roger Wyndhm-Pryce is still a strong influence I'm not sure we can trust them." Nino added, remembering a time the man tried to kill innocent harmless demons, only because he could.

"I hear that Rupert Giles heads them now."

"If that is true then we might be able to work with them and offer our assistance. If not then we will have to go underground for awhile and see what happens." Biggs said, as his mate nodded her agreement.

*******

Robin relaxed when he noticed Faith return all relaxed. He felt encouraged that things seemed to have gone well. The last thing they needed right now was to make enemies right now. Angel's demise needed to be laid to rest enough that his girl was satisfied.

"So how did it go?" He asked.

"Better then I thought, but I think they know more then what they are telling us." She said as she leaned in and kissed his lips. "Take me home and I will tell you everything that went on."

"Gotcha, baby." He replied, seeing how tired she was.

*******

Brazil May 14th 10 p.m.

Kennedy sat curled up in the recliner, watching TV wondering what Willow was doing right now. She knew they hadn't parted on good terms, and was sure they wouldn't be a couple after this. It just got her goat that everyone still treated Buffy like she was royalty, even with Summers having taken a leave of absence the past six months.

Sipping on her wine she kept thinking that she was a better slayer then Miss Buffy Summers. It was wrong that Buffy had given Spike or Angel the time of day, let alone have had an intimate relationship with either vampires. Believing it was no big deal that a demon went against his nature and give up his existence to close a Hellmouth.

Wesley stood off to the side for living room watching the silly inexperienced slayer. He knew she was going to be too easy to kill. The ex-watcher knew her type, all cocky and nothing to back it up with. Looking at the sword in one hand and the dagger in the other, he arranged the longer blade how he wanted it between the cushions on the couch.

"What do they teach slayers these days?" Wes asked as sauntered toward her. "Tsk, tsk, a slayer not on top of her game. Just goes to show the bad teachings of the young today."

Kennedy jumped up looking for anything she could use a weapon. "Wesley, why are you here?" She asked, having recognizing him when they stopped in L.A. last year. She tried to distract him long enough to get to the weapons chest, feeling something threatening about him by asking. "Are you okay?"

"Stupid chit, you should always have something close, even a stake." Wes admonished her with a shake of his head. "This is what happens when you have more slayers then watchers. What was Rupert thinking letting little girls be without their surrogate Daddies?"

Kennedy glared at him when he moved between her the weapons. "Won't ask again, why are you here?"

"Oh, I'm here to kill you, my dear sweet victim." He taunted, with a charming smile.

"I'm no one's victim."

"You are now! I hope you've been a good girl, and confessed all your sins." Wes purred as he advanced on the unarmed slayer.

Kennedy moved into a defense stance as she prepared to fight for her life. There was no way she was going to let one man defeat her after surviving fighting a group of Uber vamps.

Wesley circled, knowing he'd be able to make her take first swing. Just to make it more appealing he flung his knife watching it land, embedding itself in the floor between the woman's feet.

"I think we can do this honorably." He said as he watched her bend for the knife, "or not."

Her hand was just inches from the knife's handle when he struck, grabbing her by her hair and flinging her toward the couch. The slayer never saw it coming as she fell upon the sword he'd placed pointing upwards between the cushions.

Wesley circled around her with an evil smirk on her face. "You are nothing like Buffy or Faith, dear grasshopper. They would've given me a fight worth writing about. Sloppy work slayer wannabe, too bad you didn't pay more attention to your elders."

"Fuck you!" Kennedy forced out, feeling her life leaving her body.

"Sorry, I'm not your type, and you are such a sore loser." Wesley leaned in and said, "Too bad, you had potential if only you didn't believe yourself to be more then you were. Never will anyone be as good as 'The Chosen One'. She will be a pleasure to fight, for she will make it feel more challenging, unlike you, when I take her life."

Kennedy felt it harder to breathe and felt the cold mark of death taking over. The last thing she heard was the man who she last remembered seeing in L.A. working for Angel, evil laughter. He was supposed to be on the same side as she, working for the good guys. Thinking to herself this was not the way she had seen her death, her neck was untouched.

Wesley felt the thrill of his first kill, as he watched her blood drain down on to the cream colored couch. It wasn't as fun as he thought it would be. He found himself disappointed having expected more from one that fought against The First's army. But then again, there was no watcher here, making sure that she trained, as she should. He hoped the next time his opponent would be more equipped to give him a more proper fight.

Someone clapping behind him made him turn toward the noise. "Good show, just a bit quick."

"Can't help it if the competition is not up to par, now can I." Wesley interjected in his defense.

"Oh, not complaining, it was rather inventive, I might add." Nick complimented him. "Short and sweet, with no hesitation to get it done which is very promising, since this was your first kill since switching sides."

Wesley chuckled as he walked over to retrieve his dagger as he replied. "When do I go to London?"

"Very soon, it would seem your father is worried about you."

"Now that I find amazing. I really didn't think he'd break a sweat worrying about anyone other than himself." Wesley answered as he picked up the sword, and then used his foot to remove the blade from the body. Watching as the lifeless shell it now was, fall to the floor with a thud.

"The Witch's taste really has diminished." Nick sighed as he watched his new acquisition so heartlessly retrieve his weapon. "Her previous lover would've been much more pleasant conquest."

"I have to agree." Wesley replied.

"Come and let us plan how we're going to get you to London." Nick suggested, thinking it was time to give the man a real challenge.

"Lead the way Master." Wesley answered with a slight bow, right before they teleported back to Nick's home.

*******

Amsterdam May 15th 3 a.m.

She tried to break free and couldn't. The beast was dragging her to her death and there was nothing she could do to stop him. Blood and bodies were scattered all around. Everyone she loved lay dead or dying around her, as she was being dragged to her own demise.

"Spike! She screamed.

"He cannot help you my lovely morsel, remember you led him to his death." The beast reminded her. "He died to give you a chance to live a normal live and what do you do? You squander it. You would be by my side if only you'd been able to leave his memory behind you."

"Never would I help you." She declared, "I would rather die trying to defeat you instead."

"Well you are about to get your wish, Slayer." The beast roared as he started to swing his huge claw toward her.

Buffy woke up startled, knowing she was having a slayer dream. It was coming, the beast was real…and something told her she already knew him from somewhere. It took her a moment to realize someone was holding her and telling her it was okay, and it was only a dream.

"Come on Buffy, talk to me. It's only a dream." Xander tried his best to calm her.

Buffy gently pushed him back as she took a few deep breaths, noticing the cleaning people giving her strange looks as they walked away. She so hoped she hadn't said anything too weird or upsetting.

"Tell me I didn't say anything?" She asked quietly.

"No, just a lot of thrashing about like someone was after you." He replied as he leaned back a bit, giving her some space. "You want to tell me about it?"

"I do, just not sure how you will take it." She explained, "But I will say I was calling out for Spike to help me. I know you didn't like him."

"Buffy, its okay, I've had a lot of time to think about the special relationship you had with fang boy Junior. I have to say he proved himself to be loyal to you even when everyone else lost faith in you. He had your back, just like you said, and he never wavered one bit. He never gave up on you." Xander for the first time was able to overcome his hatred for the vampire and come to terms with the good Spike had performed that day.

"Where is the real Alexander Harris?" She teased, feeling more at ease then she ever had with Xander, almost like before Angel had come into their lives.

"I've had a few things pointed out to me recently that made me think outside the box." He replied, remembering something Anya had said in his dream.

"It's really an eye opener when that happens, let me tell ya." She agreed.

"Yeah, it is." He said, understanding now what Anya had meant. He needed to accept Spike and his love for Buffy and her feelings for the vampire. "If you do want to talk about him, I will listen."

Buffy again leaned closer and whispered, "You are Xander Harris, right?"

Xander chuckled as he nodded, "Yes, I'm the new and improved best friend who has a changed opinion of one 'William the Bloody' AKA Spike."

Buffy took his hand and squeezed it and shared something she never told anyone else. "I did and still do love him. I hope you can accept that."

"Yeah, I can." Xander assured her. "I feel the same about Anya, and I miss her too."

"They were something else, weren't they? Both of them could tell you like it was without blinking an eye. If he hadn't found me that night I left, I don't know what I would've done." She told him.

"He said a few things that night that now make sense."

"But that was more of The First making waves." Buffy said in defense of Xander's and the other's actions, or at least what she thought them to be.

"No, Buffy, we let our fears get in our way. I still can't believe we thought Faith would be more equipped to take on Caleb, and his bad ass boss then you."

"You'd just lost your eye. I could see how you lost faith in me." She whispered.

"No, you've never given us reason to doubt you, never. Spike was right. We turned our backs on you after everything you've been through, and you never gave up before." Xander said, speaking softly so no one overheard him. "But it's in the past, and I promise you I will watch your back and never lose my faith in you again."

"I so needed to know that, for I think something bad is coming and it's going to make The First look like kindergarten play." She shared, realizing this truly was a new and improved Xander beside her. "It's why I'm going to Cleveland. I have a feeling that whatever happened in L.A. is a precursor to what is coming."

"I'm with you Summers." Xander promised, "I have to say Spike was one smart guy to put his belief in the one woman that should've been his worst enemy."

"I have to say he was special in many ways. I just wish I could've seen him that night, one on one with Faith."

"Well, I can say I'm glad he was man enough to walk away when he did. If not, I don't think she'd be with us today." Xander replied.

"So you think he could've taken her?" Buffy asked, knowing in her heart Spike could've killed Faith that night if he wanted too.

"She was sloppy, I mean she'd been away from real training and hadn't been slaying while in prison. Even slayers need to train, right?"

"Yes, even slayers have to train." Buffy agreed. "Which, I'm going to have to get back into the swing of things when we get into Cleveland."

"Will help any way I can."

Anyone that witnessed the couple would've thought them to be lovers with how they were cuddled. No one paid attention to the couple as they continued to talk low, so no one could hear them. She quietly told him about her dream, and he told her about his. No one would've guessed right calling them lovers. They were just too friends talking about things no one would understand, or think they were crazy. No one believed in vampires, witches, demons, or things that actually do go bump in the night.

*******
Chapter Fourteen by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Just a note that after this chapter I will be taking a break from this story until I have Blood Lines and Love me for Me completed......I'm coming to the point I will need all my attention on this story and time lines......and it will need my undivided attention. So please be patient for I won't be away from it for very long........the other stories are picking up speed......
On the road May 15th 1 a.m.

Spike read the sign and knew soon they'd arrive in Salt Lake City. He kept an ear out for the baby as the others slept. Earlier he'd finally been able to sleep for a decent amount of time, but most of it was wracked with weird dreams and nightmares.

The dreams and nightmares all jumbled together making it hard for him to make any sense of them. Most of them had something to do with Buffy. Some of them where of her being pregnant, with his child and telling him how much she loved him. Other ones consisted of bloody battles with them fighting side by side. A few was a mixture of people he knew and didn't know fighting in the chaos. It was hard to figure out who was fighting for which side.

The one that woke him up, still left sent a chill up his already cold spine any time he thought about it. There, in living color, was a large beast dragging his slayer by her feet. He could hear her calling his name, but for some reason he couldn't get to her. It was like something was holding him back. He woke up before the monster's claw struck her already injured body.

"I promise, baby it won't end like that." He whispered as he continued to drive. "I will do it all over again if I have to, Luv. I will die for you."

He had no doubt he'd give up his undead existence again and again if it kept her safe and among the living. It didn't surprise him when Lorne took a seat beside him. The concerned looks the Pylean had been sending his way since he awakened warned him they'd be having a talk soon.

"Care to tell me what had you sleeping like a martini being shaken, not stirred?" Lorne asked, deciding not to beat around the bush.

"Hmmm, was that obvious was it."

"To me…Blue and the youngster were having a get to know you conversation. I had front seat to the how many times can Spike be shaken show."

"You're not gonna let this slide are ya, greenjeans?"

"Nope, sweetum's I'm not, so spill."

Spike listened carefully to make sure the others were asleep. He was surprised even Blue was sleeping so soundly. Knowing he wasn't going to get out of this he began telling Lorne about the dreams he's been having.

Lorne took a moment before saying, "A time will come you will want to sing for me. I'll be there, but not now. There is just too much going on, and I'm just too exhausted to deal. But you will know when."

"You know I don't-"

Lorne raised his hand stopping the vampires reply and said, "You will know when."

Spike nodded his head to appease the demon, even if he didn't think he'd ever let that happen. He'd seen what it had done to the good hearted demon when everything happened to Fred. The look in his eyes told him more then words ever could that night. The Pylean had blamed himself for Fred's death, feeling that his powers had failed him.

"You know there was nothing you could've done to save her." Spike offered, knowing how deeply losing Fred had touched his new friend.

"I could've not let the bastards touch me. I, like Gunn, made the mistake of letting my better judgment fall down on the job." Lorne spoke of his guilt of letting Wolfram and Hart have access to his brain.

"We've all had times like that. Hell, I still can't believe I had a relationship with Harmony, but then I was a different man back then. I made the mistake of not telling Buffy I was alive. It might have made a difference in a few things, or not."

"But we can't play the what if game, now can we." Lorne realized what Spike was telling him.

"Nope, mate we can't." Spike agreed, "What if I hadn't met Dru that night in the alley. Would the world be the same as it is right now, or would The First and his band of unmerry demons have taken over?"

"I guess it's a good thing we'll never know."

"Go get some sleep, will need ya to take over soon." Spike informed him, "I'm glad you're with us, Greens. I trust you, more then you'll know."

"The same goes for me, and don't think you will break me if what I see is bad. I still believe it can make a difference if we know in advance." Lorne reminded him.

"As you said, I'll know when." Spike reminded him with a serious expression, "I promise to let you know if and when."

"Wake me up when you're ready for me to take over."

"Will do, mate."

Lorne went to lie back down, feeling better about himself, knowing someone believed in him. Someone actually cared about how his little visions affected him enough not to chance hurting him. He had an idea what all of Spike's dreams where about. Now was a time he really felt the hole that Wesley left.

Spike felt better after talking with Lorne. Having voiced the dreams out loud, he came to realize they were not premonitions of what will happen. They were more like warnings, telling him of things he needed to avoid and to prepare for. One of them being he was never to leave Buffy's side during a fight that their strength was more powerful together. Now the biggest problem with that was going to make her realize it and let him be by her side.

*******

Rome May 15th 9am

Dawn sat staring at the letter, becoming more upset at what her sister had done. All she could think was Buffy had run away again. Just like she had done that one summer when Buffy and their mom had a falling out over Kendra's death. Later to find out it also was because she'd sent Angel to hell.

She had just hung up from Nick who had tried his best to defend her irresponsible older sister. The more she thought about it she felt abandoned yet again, only this time her sister hadn't died to do it.

Instead Buffy left one of the slayers here to baby sit her as if she was a child. Another thing to add to the list of what Buffy Summers had done wrong in her book. It's been a few years since she felt like a child. In fact, she believed she'd been robbed of her childhood since finding out she was made by monks and not by conventional conception. Something else she blamed Buffy for by being the slayer.

Dawn stomped over to the phone and angrily dialed her sister's cell phone. The frustration intensified when she got the automated message telling her the phone was turned off. It didn't matter it could've been off because she was still on the plane where the phone couldn't be used. Dawn thought it was because her sister was avoiding her.

"Bitch!" She muttered as she forcibly hung up the phone, causing Rona to give her a worried look and say, "Are you okay Dawnie?"

Dawn glared at the slayerette and replied with a condescending, "The name is Dawn, thank you, and as far as I'm concerned you can leave. I'm old enough to take care of myself."

Rona bite her tongue trying to keep from telling the spoiled brat what she really thought as she instead said, "Sorry, didn't know you felt that way, will remember to call you Dawn from now on."

"Thanks." Dawn snorted as she turned to the phone and dialed Buffy's ex-watcher's number.

Rona sat down, wondering what had happened to the sweet young woman that used to be Dawn Summers. The changes she noticed over the last couple months worried her. Any time she'd try and bring it up to Buffy the teenager had a way of always showing up, preventing her from talking about it. The slayer sat back and listened to how the young woman disrespected Mr. Giles over the phone. Never had she heard Dawn use profanity before, even if it was just damn, hell, and bitch, interchanged in her discussion about her sister.

Dawn felt like she was getting no where with Giles as she hung up the phone on him. Stomping her right foot several times she then made a sound like a growl before storming out of the kitchen. All Rona could do was regret ever answering the phone and promising Buffy she'd keep an eye on her sister.

*******

London May 15th 10 a.m.

Giles sighed as he heard all the issues that where now being presented on how to deal with old and new business. His mind not completely focused on the matters at hand, it kept wandering back to his concern about Buffy. Dawn called earlier, hysterical that Buffy had left without telling her or Nick she was leaving. Saying something about her sister was not acting herself of late.

He'd tried everything he could to calm the young woman down, but to no avail. She tried to make him call Buffy and make her get back on the next plane back to Rome. The last thing he expected was the obscenities and tone of voice that the teenager used to voice her discontent before rudely hanging up on him when he'd refused. Realizing what happened a year ago, he wasn't so sure she was not acting herself, but dealing the best she could with what had happened in Sunnydale.

The watcher thought that visiting both girls in Rome was long overdue, and now this worried him even more. He was sure there was something neither girl had told him about Nick. Something seemed off, he was sure Buffy was seeing this man on the rebound. His thoughts where that Buffy's feelings for Spike, was still much stronger then she let on about.

The vampire had managed to come between them, when he was sure nothing could. He'd made a tactile error in forming an allegiance with Robin to eliminate the problem, of Spike. The huge mistake drove a wedge between him and his slayer that today was wide and lonely. He truly had come to regret his actions toward the vampire, for the man had proved his love and trust in Buffy. Spike had been the only one that never turned his back on her or stopped believing in her.

Then again, Buffy's feelings for this Nick bloke could be making her run. He was sure with all the bad relationships she's had in the past, anything really serious might cause her to be scared and flee. The regret he had was missing her phone call. He'd live to be a hundred years and he'd still never really understand his slayer.

"Have you heard anything from L.A. concerning my son and Angel?" Roger Wyndham-Pryce asked.

"Sorry, Roger, I'm afraid nothing new has been discovered." Rupert sadly told the man.

"Can we at least try and find my son's body." Wes's father demanded.

"We are tying our best to do everything we can on all fronts." Giles promised his oldest colleague.

"I knew we should've neutralized Angel when he took over running of the L.A. branch of Wolfram and Hart." Roger went on to say, "My son would be here, safe with his family and not running around with that rogue of a demon with a soul."

"You are assuming a lot, Roger. We don't know all the details." Giles cautioned him, "It's a dangerous thing to play 'what ifs'."

"Mr. Giles, might I have a moment of your time." Gertrude Henderson, his secretary interrupted over the intercom. "The matter is rather important."

"Yes, Gertrude, I will be right with you." Giles answered as he turned toward the group of fellow compatriots. "Excuse me gentlemen, I will return shortly.

Giles excused himself and quickly joined his secretary who pointed toward his office and said, "I think you need some privacy for this one."

The head watcher raised his eyebrows as he turned to enter his office. For reasons he could not fathom he wondered what else could possibly happen or go wrong. The last thing he needed was something more to distract him from dealing with Roger. The man was a liability, who kept trying to convert the new counsel back to its old ways.

He picked up the phone and addressed the caller in a professional manner, "This is Rupert Giles."

"Mr. Giles, this is Miss Shears, I'm calling concerning a Dana Richardson, who is in our care. It would seem that over night she's made a rather dramatic recovery." She answered.

"Dana Richardson, can you be more specific about her recovery?" He asked.

"She's sane, probably more sane then either you or me." She answered. "You said to call with any significant changes in her condition, and this is rather significant I would say."

"Please keep her comfortable, and I will be there as soon as I can." Rupert instructed her, as he tried to shake off the dread this piece of information gave him.

"I hope you do hurry, she wants to be discharged immediately." Miss Shears informed him.

"Please let her know someone will be there to assist her with her needs and answer any questions she might have. Let her know I will be driving from London." Giles replied, wishing he had time to research to see if there was anything that would help him in this matter.

"I will do that, Mr. Giles. Have a safe journey and good day, to you sir." She answered before disconnecting the call.

Giles sighed as he leaned against the desk. The feeling in his bones and gut was telling him something bad was coming. His watcher's intuition was sending up red flags telling him this was going to make the battle with The First look like child's play.

*******

Dana stood looking out the window smiling. She knew the day had come she could walk without fear, no longer feeling lost or confused. The first thing she wanted was to buy clothes, something that reflected the woman she now was. Then she wanted to find out all she could about the watchers, for something told her they had a secret that needed to be told.

More dreams had come, showing her a village of women. They all had special powers, and were preparing to go to war. She noticed some of the men were human, and others were not. Some of the men's faces would be human one minute, and then the face of a monster the next. But they never hurt the women or children of the village. Little girls and boys were running around playing and some of the children were calling these demonic looking men 'daddy'.

She felt a connection to the women, like they were some how one and the same. The leader of the group was a petite woman with blonde hair and green eyes. She was wrapped in the arms of her mate with their children playing around them. The conversation between them appeared serious by the look on their faces as they talked and cuddled.

The woman tilted her neck, offering it up to her man only to have him refuse it. Then she turned and took his face gently between her hands and guided him to her neck. Dana had watched as he morphed and sunk his fangs into her neck gently taking only a shallow sip of her blood. The expression on both their faces was love for one another in the purest form as the woman licked the blood off his lips. His eyes then turned from yellow to the deepest blue as he said, "Mine and I love you."

"Miss Richardson."

Dana turned as she was pulled out of her thoughts and asked, "When can I leave?"

"Mr. Giles is leaving London as we speak and asks that you please wait for him. He told me to tell you he will tell you everything."

"Can I wait in the library?" Dana asked.

"Most certainly my dear, come this way." The older woman replied as she directed the young woman to the library. "I will go to the kitchen and make us some tea. I'm sure you'd like to catch up on the world and what has gone on since you've been ill."

Dana smiled as she replied, "I would love it."

"Then have a seat and I will be right back." Mrs. Shears directed as she then turned to fetch the tea and some scones.

Dana was amazed at how calm she was acting. Her old self would've been jumping and itching to just leave and fend for herself. Instead her new self, her true self was telling her she wasn't alone anymore and soon she'd find the one that would give her the answers she needed. The one thing she knew was this Mr. Giles was not that person; he was just a means to finding who she sought. She needed to find their leader, for the dream she had was meant for her to find the one that was to lead her, teach her, and mentor her.

*******

Willow paced back and forth feeling like something bad had happened. It was a feeling that wouldn't leave her. She'd tried to call Kennedy but no one answered either at home or on her lover's cell phone. Deep down she knew something was wrong, and didn't know what to do.

"Dearie, what is bothering you?" Agnes asked as she walked into the room

"I think something bad has happened." Willow answered.

Agnes took the young woman by her hands and pulled her over toward the couch. Death was heavy in her thoughts as she pictured a young dark haired woman in her mind. It told her all she needed to know, it had begun. Now was the time to prepare her prized pupil for what lay ahead.

"Willow, you should have someone check on your loved one. But, I must warn you the news will be grave, and you must keep you mind clear of hate and revenge. It will lead you astray and away from what you must accomplish. It is a test, to see if you can yet again be turned to work darkness with your gift. The choice is yours, but to let it take your soul this time would mean she died in vain. I'm sure she would not wish for you to avenge her, instead to fight the evil and not let them win."

Willow felt the conflict and temptation as her grief and need to avenge try and make another appearance. She could feel the darkness that once almost made her destroy the world knocking to be let forth.

"Why is this happening to me?" She asked her mentor.

"That is like asking why there is evil in the world." Agnes tried to explain. "Evil exists in all of us. It is a choice to be or not to be…for that is not the question. The question is why to be or not be, for within us lies the ability to be either good or bad."

Willow nodded her head in agreement as she felt a sense of warmth come over her. The words made her think and knew she again was at a crossroad in her life. The last thing Kennedy needed was to be her excuse for letting her emotions take her over the line.

"I will not seek vengeance for her death with be avenged once the evil is defeated." Willow whispered as she let Agnes' words remind her she had a choice. "I will not let her death be in vain, or let them have control over me. I'm the master of my mind and body and I refuse to let the hate and pain over take me again. I let Tara down when she died, I won't do it again."

Agnes hugged the young woman close and said, "That's right, my girl. You let the love they both had for you protect you from the darkness that threatens to steal away your soul."

"I think I need to talk to Giles." Willow said out of now where. "I don't know why I said that all of a sudden."

"You will once you see him, my child." Agnes replied easily, knowing she'd understand once she saw the man.

"I have to call him."

Agnes gently suggested, "Close you eyes and concentrate, where does your mind place him?"

Willow closed her eyes and put everything into locating Giles. She could see him driving out of the city, wondering where he was going. Concentrating more closely she noticed a sign, telling her where it was he was going. He was going to see Dana, the mentally ill slayer she'd helped calm down before transporting her to England.

"I have to go." She whispered, feeling some how that Giles was in danger.

"Go, my child but heed my warning. The enemy comes in sheep's clothing. Let your intuition be your guide, for all is not what it seems. Danger comes to you and yours in the mask of a friend." Agnes warned Willow the best she could.

"I promise."

"Let Megan drive you to where it is you need to go." Agnes offered, "You need not waste your powers on a transportation spell."

"And I might forget which side of the road to drive on." Willow offered, remembering the time she'd almost ran Agnes off the road one day for that same reason.

"Yes, would hate to fish Mr. Giles out of a pond." The older woman teased. "Let me go and fetch Megan, my dear. You call who it is you need to and then we will take one step at a time."

Willow nodded her head as she picked up the phone and dialed the number. "Maria, it's me Willow. I was wondering if you could check on Kennedy. She's not answering either phone. You can call me back at this number, and if I'm not here leave the message with Agnes." She told the woman who was the first slayer they found there. "Tell Kennedy to call me on my cell phone or leave her a message on the fridge telling her to call me."

*******

Somewhere mystical

Nick sat back and smiled as he listened to the classical music playing from his stereo. Everything was still working, even if Buffy was no longer under his power any longer. But soon that would change as well. He will get her back, and enjoy making her pay for leaving him.

Soon key players will be brought into play or taken to task. Rupert Giles will be eliminated, and Willow's soul will be his to maneuver. Her history of losing herself to her darkness will repeat itself, and she will be his once and for all. With the powerful Wicca and The Key there would be no way his army could or would be defeated.

He found himself aroused as he pictured taking the The Chosen one and raping her over and over into submission. Hearing her pleas for him to stop change to her begging him to fuck her over and over again was enough to make him find release. The mistake he made with her was now obvious, he should have beat her down and made her his before now. But he'd judged her as other slayer's he had before her, knowing now she wasn't anything like them at all. Just a few more things he had to finish before he reclaimed what was his.

*******

Somewhere in Wyoming

Oz pulled over in the rest area and prepared himself to take a little nap. He only needed an hour or two at the most. The closer he came to Cleveland, the more he could feel the tension mount. His demon could smell the approaching madness that was coming.

Over the past year and a half he came to understand his being, and now had complete control over the wolf. No longer did he need to be caged during the full moon. But even so, he didn't trust his control right now, would have to test it if given the chance once he was again on or so close to the Hellmouth.

"I am my own master." He chanted. "I control my body and the spirit of the beast inside me. We are one with each other." He practiced his prayer, as taught by the Navaho medicine man that Ernie had sent him too. He continued to chant as he fell asleep.

He dreamed of fighting, feeling a conflict between him and his inner demon arising. Feeling the call to let go and let the true nature of his beast take over until something happened that made him not lose control. A creature was dragging Buffy away from them. His Willow was trying to help her best friend but something was holding her back, something magical. He could see both women were in danger and his need to protect them came forth.

He found he had to chose, and before he could he woke up. Looking at the time he noticed he'd been asleep for two hours. Starting his car, he shook off the dream and returned to his travels. The feeling he needed to get to Cleveland in time to get a better idea on what was happening urged him on. He also knew Spike was right; the next one they needed to worry about was Buffy, including any one that was her friend. For her friends made her vulnerable to what was coming.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=15549