To Help Thine Enemy by Gerbnednav
Summary: Starts as a season 2 fic after Buffy makes a gut decision.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Spike/Other
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 72652 Read: 31076 Published: 02/01/2006 Updated: 01/25/2009

1. 1 by Gerbnednav

2. 2 by Gerbnednav

3. 3 by Gerbnednav

4. 4 by Gerbnednav

5. 5 by Gerbnednav

6. 6 by Gerbnednav

7. 7 by Gerbnednav

8. 8 by Gerbnednav

9. 9 by Gerbnednav

10. 10 by Gerbnednav

11. 11 by Gerbnednav

12. 12 by Gerbnednav

13. 13 by Gerbnednav

14. 14 by Gerbnednav

15. 15 by Gerbnednav

16. 16 by Gerbnednav

17. 17 by Gerbnednav

18. 18 by Gerbnednav

19. 19 by Gerbnednav

20. 20 by Gerbnednav

21. 21 by Gerbnednav

1 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Okay so I'm kind of nervous about posting this one. I know I've posted before but I've held on to this story for a few months now and just work on it at my leisure. So I'm not that sure about it. Please let me know what you think. Thank you all for reading.
Buffy stared at the peaceful face in front of her the features slack with unconsciousness. She shifted her position in the hard chair she had been keeping a silent vigil in for the last three days. Three days where she had waited patiently for the still figure in front of her to awaken. And with each passing day her hope faded a little bit more.

Sitting quietly in the dark she glanced at the fading light outside the tiny little window. It would be dark soon and once again she would have to leave her silent post for a quick patrol.

So much had happened in the last three days. It was hard to believe that everything in her life could suddenly be turned upside down in such a short space of time. She longed to be able to tell someone what she was feeling but there was no one who would understand.

No one but the person in front of her. But people weren't really great conversationalists while they slept the sleep of the unconscious.

Letting out a deep sigh she slowly made her way to her feet. Another night where her patient would remain sleeping.

Distracted by her thoughts she missed the small flutter of eyelids. She didn't however miss the pained moan that drifted from the makeshift bed.

Kneeling down beside the prone figure she placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Hey can you hear me?"

Piercing blue eyes opened and seemed to take a moment before they focused on her face.

**********

His first thought as he drifted to consciousness was that he hoped someone had gotten the license plate number of the semi that hit him so he could rip the driver apart limb by limb. His head was fuzzy and there was a distinct pounding in his temples. He couldn't help the pained moan that escaped his lips.

At the touch of a warm hand on his shoulder he felt a surge of confusion. Warm? Then when he heard a soft but distinctly feminine voice he opened his eyes.

What the hell had happened to him? From his senses he could tell he wasn't in the factory and was damn sure that he was not in the presence of his dark princess. In fact the scent was familiar if he could just focus his eyes. Slowly they started to clear.

Green eyes full of concern stared back at him framed by a pretty face. His muddled brain struggled to put a name to the familiar features in front of him. It took a moment but the realization finally clicked into place.

"Slayer!" He growled low afraid that if he shouted like he wanted to it would tear his head wide open.

"Spike. Welcome back to the world of the living. Or the not quite so living in your case." The quip lacked any of the malice her words were usually draped in.

The sight of the petite blond in front of him burned in his chest and he could feel his rage soaking through his entire body. He was practically shaking with an intense fury directed at the pain in the ass in his presence.

With a lightening fast move he grabbed her arms just below her shoulders his fingers digging into her flesh with enough force to bruise even a slayer. Snarling he twisted to pull her along as he tried to sit up.

He barely got his shoulders off of the cot when he let out a shout of pain his hands immediately letting the small girl go.

"What the bloody hell did you do to me you fucking bitch!" He gave in to the rage and pain to bellow the words holding in a wince at the sound of his own voice echoing in his head.

She continued to stare at him numbly not moving away from him.

Stupid bloody bint should be cowering in fear in a corner but she made no move to leave his side. What the fuck was going on?

His chest was heaving with his confusion and anger the act of breathing usually helping to settle his agitated state. It would take more then a few deep breaths this time.

She watched him carefully trying to gauge his reactions. His blinding anger didn't surprise her this was Spike after all but the amount of pain she could see shining out of his blue eyes concerned her greatly.

In all the time she had spent waiting by his side for him to regain consciousness she had hoped even if it was a small hope that he would be able to help them out of this horrid situation. After all his sole purpose and motivation were already at stake.

But in the back of her mind where she had catalogued his various injuries as she tended to him that first night she had a niggling suspicion that looked to be the truth.

It was most likely that his back was broken.

They were all so very fucked.

She watched his chest rapidly fall up and down as he breathed and tried not to think about how weird that looked after he had lain perfectly still for the last three days.

A mild panic had begun to push the rage out of his system as he tried to find the strength to move his legs and they failed to respond. He stared down the length of them focusing on the tenting of the blanket where his toes were and tried to get the smallest wiggle from them. Gritting his teeth with the effort he let out a frustrated roar at the lack of movement.

He whipped his head back at the woman who was still kneeling next to him. Grabbing her again he began to shake the small body.

"What. The. Bloody. Fuck. Did you do?"

The quiet growl was actually a lot more frightening then his angry bellows and Buffy had to fight the urge to swallow against her trepidation. This was probably not the brightest idea she had ever had.

Oh there was no doubt that he was in a lot of pain and he was at a slight disadvantage not being able to move his legs but she had no doubt that his hands and his fangs were just as deadly as ever. And the most disturbing thought she didn't want to take advantage of his current predicament. It just didn't seem right.

So she took his shaking without a complaint until it felt like her head was going to rattle straight off of her neck.

Forcefully but without overly strong-arming him she pushed his hands away.

"What's the last thing you remember Spike?"

The quiet tone of her voice sent a little shock through his system and he was glad for the distraction however small it might be from the fact that he couldn't move the lower half of his body. Instead he plunged into his memories hoping at least for some type of explanation for this hell he found himself in.

He remembered the Slayer and her friends busting up the ritual in the church and the fight he had with her and the mini Slayer. Dru had called to him and he had gone to her side to get her out of there before the fire spread any further and then nothing but blackness.

His eyes searched hers.

"I was on my way out of the church Dru was in my arms and then nothing." The thought finally seemed to penetrate his brain and he began to seethe again. "Where the hell is Druscilla?!"

"Take it easy. Your loony sire is just fine."

"Watch it little girl." The low threat in his growl was hard to miss.

"Save me from the lecture. You want to know what’s happened or what?" Her patience was thinning from her fatigue and she wished that she had gotten some sleep earlier in the day instead of dragging her tired self to school once again. Damn Snyder.

She watched as a muscle ticked in his tightened jaw and had to wonder if he had been able to use his legs if she would be dead right now. It was pretty possible considering the murderous gleam in those cold blue eyes.

When he didn't answer her she figured he did want to know but it was the last thing he was going to admit to her considering how unflattering the position he now was in. Technically he was totally dependant on her and that had to be terrifying all by itself.

"Look there's been a lot going on so I'm just going to spit it all out. None of it is going to be pleasant and you're just going to get more pissed. And even though it may sound strange I'm sorry about that. But you'll understand why when I get done."

She stood and settled herself back into the metal chair. A small shiver traveled up her spine as her body met with the now cold surface.

"So you were carrying Druscilla right? Here's what happened."

********

Three days earlier.

Buffy swung the chain once more in the air before letting go and giving a triumphant yell as the organ fell on top of the annoying vampire. From what she could see he was totally under it but he had pushed his loony girlfriend free and she was now crawling back in the direction she had come. Back towards the still unconscious Angel.

That just wouldn't do at all and she began to make her way back to his side.

The sound of the falling beam startled her and she had to tuck and roll back out of the way. The burning wood now created another separation and she could no longer get to Angel. She turned to look behind her seeing the others on the far side of the flames.

"Giles get them out of here I'll handle the rest!"

He didn't look happy about it but he gave her a slight nod in response. Her eyes scanned the back of the church for another exit. There was one straight behind her now a section of wall that had crumbled away with the structural damage the place was now taking from the fire.

Looking back to where Angel had been laying she spied the vampiress dragging her boyfriend out of the church through a shattered stained glass window. She had to get to them but she wouldn't be able to without going out and around. And they were almost out now.

Spurring her body back into motion she picked her way over the organ and couldn't help the glance down at her fallen enemy.

Oh she had no delusion that she had finally dusted him but she had a hard time resisting the urge to see his prone form for herself. From the back of the now shattered organ she could see his face.

He almost seemed peaceful lying there amid the debris. Looking at him now she would never guess at the total menace and deadly nature of this creature. Here he looked just as innocent as a newborn not a line on his face to mar the almost angelic features.

Her eyes darted around again taking note at how close the flames were now coming to the both of them. She took in his prone form once more and fighting the urge to question her actions more fully she began to move the remaining rubble from his body.

Freeing him she tried to gingerly settle him over her shoulder so that she could carry him out.

*********

"You pulled me out?" The incredulity in his voice didn't surprise her, hell he should hear the way she had been jumping down her own throat at her actions. They didn't make a whole lot of sense to her either.

"Yeah could we not talk about that? I'm thinking total lack of good judgment there. But that isn't important right now. We've got way bigger problems."

"Bigger problems? Some how I doubt that Slayer."

"You obviously haven't been living on the Hellmouth long enough then."

"Nothing you could say would be a surprise."

"Damn it Spike don't you know saying stuff like that is just asking for trouble? Nothing would surprise you huh?" At his confident nod she had to give him a small sneer. "How about the fact that it's been three days since that organ fell on you?"

The loss of time seemed to give him pause but Buffy thought he hid it pretty well.

"Nope." His cocky grin was back and she took a deep breath reminding herself that she still had a lot more to tell him and it was her own damned fault that he was here annoying her now.

She was the idiot that saved him after all.

"Fine be that way." She caught his wince of pain as he tried to shift his shoulders and she felt a pang of guilt. God that was the worst, guilt at injuring her mortal enemy in a fight where he had been trying to kill her. She was just so screwed up. "Spike your still healing let me go and get you some thing to eat and we'll finish this alright?"

All he could do was blink at her. Who the hell was this girl? Didn't she know what she was supposed to do? Not that he minded being undusty but this was getting ridiculous. First she saves him and now she was going to make sure he got something to eat? What in all that was evil was going on?

Somehow he had managed a slight nod in her direction and he watched as she bounded up the steps. Now that he had the time he wondered just where they were. It was dark and a little dank giving the place a distinct underground feeling. Taking note of the washer and dryer in the room he figured he was in a basement. Judging from the look of things the basement to a regular house.

The thought that flitted through his mind made him pause. They were in a house, one she looked to be perfectly comfortable in even while in the basement. Bloody fuck. She had brought him to her house?

Okay so he lied he could still be surprised. The little blond was proving that every few seconds now.

She was coming back down the stairs a coffee mug in hand. The look on his face must have betrayed his confusion.

"What? I said something not someone Spike." She eased herself next to him on the cot her hands gently propping him up with against her body. She moved slowly stopping when he winced in pain hoping that he was elevated enough to drink from the mug. Buffy handed it to him not wanting to say anything else.

He had to admit the smell of blood stirred his hunger and he felt close to being starved. Concentrating on the meal in front of him he finally registered something. The blood in the mug was human. That surprised him he had felt certain that she would be totally against that.

He drained the last of it and handed the mug back to her waiting hand.

She settled him back down on the cot just as gently as she had propped him up. Setting the mug on the floor she moved back over to her chair.

"Better?" This was just insane. Why the hell did she care so much? She wasn't supposed to she was certain that before three nights ago she had hated him with every fiber of her being. This just didn't add up to hatred. Not any she had ever heard about.

He wasn't sure how to answer her. Right now he was seriously questioning his sanity. This couldn't really be happening could it? Laying wounded on a cot in the house of the very girl who was supposed to eradicate his existence and whom he had been trying to kill. A girl he had been tearing his hair out to take out of this world. He hated her. Course he had hated her before this but everything that had happened in the last few moments was making his hatred grow. He could feel it taking root deep in his gut its tendrils licking out to the rest of his body. How dare she put him in this situation? It wasn't like he could just get up and walk away and she was the one who had caused the damage in the first place.

So in response he just continued to glare at her.

Buffy wasn't at all shocked at his lack of response and took his glare for what it was. He hated her and that was fine they were mortal enemies after all. He was only here now out of her own deluded sense of fairness. It had just seemed wrong for him to go out like that. Especially with the challenges their past battles had given her. No they would fight again just as before only not right now.

"Right well after I took you out of the church I hid you outside and went looking for Angel. I guess your ritual worked cause they were totally gone and I couldn't find them. Then I brought you back here." She shrugged at the look in his eye not willing to interpret it. "None of my friends but me knows your still alive or undead or whatever. I didn't think it would be a good idea to let the others know. Kind of defeat the purpose of saving you in the first place."

When he opened his mouth she threw a glare at him.

"I told you don't ask." His jaw clacked shut. "After getting you settled here I went searching through town looking for where your psycho girlfriend could be hiding Angel." She didn't miss the flash of anger in his eyes and was almost feeling sorry for him. He had yet to hear everything. "When it got dark I went to patrol...."

********

Two nights ago.

Buffy kicked the stone down the gravel path. She had been all through town and not sign of either that psycho or Angel. Fighting down the constant worry that was plaguing her she tried to think of a plan to find her boyfriend.

She had seen the look in Druscilla's eyes when she had been making her way to Angel as the church burned all around them. And she had seen the injuries that had littered her boyfriend’s undead body that had yet to heal. Not a pleasant thought. It would be easier to think that Spike had been the one who was responsible for those torturous wounds but she had the sinking suspicion that the bitch was the one who did all the work. It didn't seem Spike's style.

So worry was the ever-present emotion that wracked her body. Even carrying for the unconscious blond hadn't helped her mind find something else to focus on. She could imagine what kind of torture Angel was going through even if she could do without the mental picture. But unlike what everyone else thought she did pay attention to what Giles told her and she did indeed do her research on vamps. The Watcher's Diaries had chronicled just how insane Angelus' girl was.

She hoped Angel wasn't paying for it too much now.

"Hey."

The soft masculine voice cut through her musings and she felt a wide grin spread across her face.

"Angel you're alright!" She was holding him within a second her naturally enhanced speed fueled with her sense of relief and joy at seeing him.

A comforting peace settled around her as she found herself engulfed in his strong embrace. She gave in to the sensation of just being held by him and let the joy of his return flood through her body.

So she was a little shocked at him gently pushing her away.

Her questioning eyes found his hidden in the darkness making them impossible to read.

"I take it you're glad to see me then?" There was something about his tone that was off but she shrugged it away.

"Of course I'm glad to see you. I was worried about you."

"No need to worry about me Buff."

"But Druscilla-"

"Oh I think I can handle Dru just fine." This time she couldn't help but notice the note of something darker in his words and she just continued to stare up at him for a moment. "Got to tell you that I'm kind of glad things worked out the way they did."

"What are you talking about Angel? What happened?" Somewhere deep within her psyche she had the feeling that she didn't want to know.

"I just realized some things. Tell me Buff if you had rescued me last night what would have happened?"

She unconsciously took a step backwards.

"Um I'm not sure I would have taken you back to your apartment I guess and then gone home. Why?"

The low menacing chuckle that came from him sent a shiver up her spine. Something was really wrong.

"You really are innocent aren't you? Pity that." He took a step forward and she retreated. "It's a good thing Dru isn't."

"Angel?" She couldn't help the way her voice came out tiny and insecure.

"What did you really think I would wait for you? After all these months didn't you think I might have a few needs of my own?" He gave another deep chuckle. "Last night was just what I needed."

She continued to stare at him the confusion etched into her face her eyes wide with denial at the innuendo.

He took another step forward this time bending down until his mouth was next to her ear.

"Dru was always such a good girl, learned her lessons well and she hasn't forgotten a thing in the last century." The puff of air at his words sent another shiver through her. "I'd almost forgotten how good it could be between the two of us." He stood up abruptly.

There was no denying the words now she was blond but not dumb.

"You.. You slept with her?" The words were a tiny whisper and she felt her throat clog after them with the threat of tears. "I. I thought you loved me."

His chuckle turned into a deep laugh then and she took another step back.

"You really are a naive little thing. Love you? You’re just a little girl. Did you really think someone like you could hold my interest for very long? Sure it was a novelty for a time but the blushing virgin act gets old after awhile."

Her breaths were coming out in strangled gasps now as emotion threatened to overwhelm her.

"Oh and I just have to thank you for taking care of Spike for me. Couldn't have gotten her alone if that pest was around." Another deep chuckle past through his lips. He seemed to study her intently for a moment.

"You know you still have some potential maybe I should teach you a few tricks." The step he took this time brought his face into a stray beam of light from the street and she could see the malice in his eyes. Something she had never seen in them before.

She didn't have any words and the panic at what he was saying began to settle over her. The tilt of his head told her he could scent her fear and she knew that this was a good time to get out of the area. Without thinking she turned and ran for all she was worth not stopping until she was facing her own front door.

Using a trembling hand she went in and shut the door behind her. She let her mind drift as she went back up the stairs and got ready for bed.

Something was definitely wrong with Angel but she didn't know what. She couldn't believe that the cruel man that she had seen tonight was the same tragic figure she had fallen in love with. Could she have read him so wrong?

The trembling in her body refused to stop until she collapsed onto her bed and curled into a ball. Finally feeling somewhat safe the tears came and she sobbed her pain into her pillow before drifting into a troubled sleep.

********

She awoke with a headache and let her hand come up to rub her temples. Her eyes felt sore and dry from the crying she had done the night before and she began to sit up.

She froze when the sheet slid from the top of her body. The cool air hitting her bare flesh sent a wave of panic over her. Lifting a corner of the covering she stared in shock at the rest of her nude body. She glanced around the room quickly taking in the sunlight streaming in through the open window and saw the piece of paper lying on the pillow next to her a single red rose on top of it.
With a shaking hand she pushed the rose out of the way and picked up the paper.

It was a simple pencil sketch that sent her panic into areas of hysteria. On the page was a picture of her lying prone and naked in her bed. The image was disturbing in and of itself but what caught her attention was the pair of puncture marks on her neck.

Leaping off the bed she ran to the bathroom her eyes glued to the mirror in front of her. There on her neck placed over where the Master had made his mark stood two red punctures.

******

The deep bellows of his laughter grated on her nerves and her hands kept curling and uncurling in tight fists. She desperately wanted to punch him. Hear the sound of crunching cartilage as she broke his nose but she couldn't.

Well she could but it would be sinking to his level and she simply refused to stoop that low. He was pretty much at her mercy whether he acted like it or not.

"I'm glad that I could amuse you." The words were sharp as she gritted her teeth.

"So you wouldn't put out?" She could barely make out his words through his deep laugh.

"If you're finished?"

"Didn't know soul boy had it in him." His body was still shaking with his mirth.

Buffy let a cold smile spread on her lips.

"That's why you need to pay attention."

The slow and even tone shocked him and Spike stared at the look on the young girl's face. If he didn't know better he would swear that she had turned evil right then. So instead he just continued to stare at her.

At his silence Buffy felt a little surge of pleasure. Sure it was wrong but damn if he didn't deserve that. It was what she had to tell him she was unsure of.

"Turns out that's exactly his problem."

The statement didn't make much sense to him and he was almost going to shrug it off but there was something to the look in her eyes that made him reconsider. He didn't speak and for once while he was awake he didn't even breathe.

"You see it seems that my computer teacher is a gypsy. One of the clan that cursed Angelus with his soul." She got up and turned away from him then. It didn't matter how much of the truth he knew but she could still feel the pain in knowing that the Angel she loved was gone and she didn't want him to see that in her eyes. "She was here to make sure nothing was keeping them from the revenge they set out for a hundred years ago. Only problem was no one decided to tell us that there was a little loop hole in said curse."

She turned back around to face Spike gathering her inner strength. She may have been humiliated but she refused to surrender her pride completely.

"One moment of pure happiness. That's all it took a few seconds. And boom it’s all over just like that."

Something in her tone grated on him and he couldn't help his response.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" He growled through his teeth.

"Don't you get it? That's not Angel. It's Angelus."

At the name a slow pleasure filled smile seemed to form on his lips and Buffy had the urge to wipe it clean off. Luckily her words would do that for her.

"Oh you still don't seem to understand so this time I'll use small words so they actually penetrate that peroxide drenched brain of yours." His eyes flashed amber at her words but she ignored it. "One. Angel had a moment of pure happiness to lose his soul. That moment seemed to be when he screwed your girlfriend. Two. As your grandsire Angelus can sense that you're not dust. Three. Vampires have a great sense of smell. I left to go on patrol after moving you around and trying rather unsuccessfully to force-feed you. Meaning that I pretty much had a neon sign flashing over my head that said I was near Spike. Four. When Angelus was in this very house drawing me while I slept you were down here in the basement unconscious. He couldn't help but sense you if he was any type of vampire at all."

She sat back down in the chair and looked at him hard trying to see if her words were making any sense. He just continued to stare at her blankly.

Letting out a frustrated sigh she shook her head. Why did she even bother?

"Let's add shall we. You're newly unensouled grandsire sensed your presence smelt you all over me and knew you were in my house when he was and yet... You're. Still. Here."

Now the words were seeping into his unconscious brain and a silent fury was growing. And even though he hated the girl in front of him he knew the truth in her words.

He concentrated on his bond with his Sire and had no problem sensing Dru. Just as she had always been she was there and trying harder he could faintly sense the bond between him and Angelus not that it had been used in the last century but the mere trickle of feeling told him it still worked. And would work better the closer they were in proximity.

Meaning that even though they knew he wasn't dust and sensing him in this house the other night. Angelus had just left him here.

They weren't even going to try and help him.

Well he had held out little thought of Dru being able to do anything on her own. She wasn't one for planning and most times it was a wonder when she remembered something one day to the next. So if it was just Dru he wouldn't hold his breath.

But now Angelus was back.

Her precious Daddy.

If he wasn't completely buggered before he most assuredly was now.

If his grandsire refused to acknowledge his presence, if he truly felt that he was just an annoyance that stood between him and his Childe he had no doubt where he stood.

Nowhere.

Because heaven help him nothing stood in the way of what Angelus wanted.

And heaven didn't help his kind.

He was completely at the mercy of the tiny girl in front of him.

The thought sent a new chill of dread down his spine. Well as far down as his waist. Where the sensation suddenly stopped.

At the flash of pain in his eyes Buffy knew he understood. It didn't bring her any particular joy. No the thought of someone even if they were an evil bloodsucker, being completely abandoned by there own family seemed just wrong.

She just nodded silently at him. As long as he understood she had no goal other than that.
2 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone who has reviewed. Like I said before this was just one of the wips I had that I didn't know if I was going to post. Still not sure I should have done it now as opposed to later but I feel more comfortable about it with your support. So thank you for leaving such kind reviews and everything.
The buzzing of her alarm clock beat into her weary brain and she forced her hand to move. Grabbing the torture device she threw it across the room unable to fight the pleased smirk when it shattered against the wall.

The feeling was short lived however as her brain reminded her of the damn mess she was in.

They had no way of predicting Angelus' next move only knowing that whatever he did was directed at hurting her. Then there was the fact that she had a deadly vampire down in her basement that was currently paralyzed and defeated by the information she had told him last night. Not to mention that her mom would be returning from her buying trip tomorrow and then what would she do with said vampire?

After he seemed to understand she had left the basement quietly forcing herself to go out on patrol. Luckily it had been quiet. Or maybe unluckily because it gave her way too much time to think.

Not for the first time she had to wonder what the hell she was thinking by sheltering William the Bloody in her basement. She couldn't deny that in her mind she knew positively that she should have just staked him. But her instincts had railed against it demanding that she save him instead. The bigger question was not that she had followed the instinct but why she had it in the first place.

There wasn't an answer forthcoming in her brain to that question and thinking about it all night had done nothing but give her a headache.

She had gone straight to bed after she returned home not even peeking in on Spike before letting her head hit her pillow and drifting off to sleep.

Letting out a slow deep sigh she got out of bed. There was a lot she needed to get done before she headed off to school.

**********

Spike awoke slowly his mind trying to puzzle out just where he was. The feeling didn't last long and the memory of the night before flooded his mind.

He sighed heavily. Even getting some sleep didn't help with his confusion.

Here he was lying on a cot in a basement in the home of the Slayer.

Maybe it was better if he didn't dwell on it. After all it was probably just going to give him another headache.

Gingerly he began to raise himself with his elbows and was relieved when the motion only brought him a slight twinge of pain. Using his somewhat upright position he actually took a good look around him. There was nothing much to look at, just a typical basement, a few shelves lined the walls and there was a sink next to a washer and dryer. It would be plain and ordinary if one didn't take into account the TV that was sitting on a small stand in front of the cot. Or the TV tray that had been set up next to him. He took a moment to study its contents noticing first the remote, which probably went to the TV, a few magazines and a pencil on top of what looked like a book of crosswords. The thing that he centered his attention on though was a large thermos sitting in the center.

Curious now and bolstered with his success at moving once already, he began to sit up. The twinge in his back became sharper with his motions but nowhere near what he had felt the previous night. Once he was sitting the twinge turned to a dull ache and he let out a deep breath in relief. That mission accomplished he picked up the thermos and pulled off the connected cup. Setting it in his lap he soon forgot it as he unscrewed the lid. The mouth-watering smell of human blood drifted from the open container and he let out a small groan.

He was in a word starving. The small mug he had the night before was nowhere near enough to tide him over from three days of unconsciousness and with his injuries it was a miracle he had listened to the bint speak at all the night before.

Not bothering with the cup he tipped the whole thermos to his lips and drank greedily. The rich warm liquid flowed down his throat like a gift from heaven and he gulped it down quickly. In seconds the thermos was drained.

Absently he licked his lips seeking out any remaining trace of the life giving fluid. And while the blood seemed to satisfy the hunger in his stomach his mind was still yearning for understanding.

He couldn't make out what insane reasons she could have for the behavior she had exhibited. It wasn't like she was an incapable Slayer. Far from it. Months of studying her every fighting move and the fights he had participated in had proven that. She was the best he'd ever faced. Deadly and cunning her fighting seemed to generate from a purely instinctive level, which made her more competent then any trained fighter.

And yet he was here. Nothing about it made any sense.

But if she had just saved him and waited for him to wake it would be more then enough to be confusing.

So what had the silly bint done?

She treated him like he was a person who wasn't the least bit interested in killing her. Provided him with not only the comfort and safety of a bed but things to keep his mind from protesting in boredom and food to keep him going.

Not what one would think of from the person designated to annihilate your entire race.

And while his poor mind had enough trouble wrapping around the particulars of his surroundings the tiny part of him that he willed to keep silent and hidden was making noises of protest.

He knew without acknowledging the fact that the way she had been caring for him was touching him in ways that offended the bloodthirsty demon in him.

It was something he couldn't and would not let himself feel.

In other words he needed to get the hell out of her house and away from the confused bitch.

The only problem was that he really didn't have a lot of options about where to go.

Without the use of his legs he would be unable to hunt and that meant he would be dependant on someone else for his care. Just having a few minions was out he wouldn't be able to keep them in line with his current state and they would take advantage of that.

The only thing he could do was return to the factory.

Go back to Dru.

And in the process back to his Grand Sire.

But he lacked any more options. The fact was they were his family.

Even if they were screwed up and screwing him over in the process. Little would be able to distract Dru from her newly returned Sire a fact that Spike had known way down in his very being but had not had to think about for the last century. She had always been his. Spike was merely a distraction while Angelus was missing from her life.

And he knew he was putting himself at risk to be any where near Angelus. The older vamp had always detested weakness and he was nothing but a shining example of that now.

Even with limited options however he always ended up returning to them.

Why would it be any different now?

*********

How she had convinced Giles that she needed to get home without doing the required training session was beyond her.

It was a pity if she remembered she probably could have used it again.

But the save-age from another round of Giles in training mode was not what was foremost on her mind.

The thought of a certain peroxide blond was what her attention was focused on now.

What was she going to do with him?

Her mom would be home tomorrow and she was certain that no amount of talking was going to convince her mother that a crippled man in her basement was a good idea.

Not that she thought her mother was heartless but having any one in the basement was going to cause all kinds of questions. Not like she could tell her mom the truth. And it wasn't like that wouldn't be even more confusing.

She hadn't come up with an answer as she made her way into the house.

Dropping her bag in the foyer she made her way to the basement.

Time to check up on the patient.

She flicked the light on as she made her way down the stairs to see him sitting with his back against the shelves behind the cot. His eyes were closed but they opened as she reached the bottom step.

She had no idea what to say to him. It wasn't like they were friends and the thought of idle chitchat with him was as inane a thought as the conversation would be.

So she stood and stared.

And he stared back. Boy did he stare back. Chilling deep blue eyes seemed to appraise her and find her lacking. The malice in his eyes pulled at her sending a shudder through her system that she fought to repress.

It wasn't like she had lost sight of what or who he was. Quite the contrary that knowledge always seemed just under the surface of her awareness.

It was just so different now that he was awake.

His blink released her from his uncomfortable stare. A part of her mind relaxed while another. Well she wouldn't talk to that part of her mind.

"I want to leave." His voice was quiet but there was a thread of steel in it that she recognized.

Nodding as she approached the cot she moved to sit in the chair.

"You're not a prisoner here Spike if you want to go that's up to you." She gave a long sigh. "It's still light out though and I'll have to arrange transportation but if you want to go..." She shrugged.

"At nightfall." His tone was uncompromising and she felt secure in the knowledge that at least this way she wouldn't have to do the big old lie thing to her mom.

She rose without acknowledging his words and began to walk to the stairs.

"Why?"

The question was quiet and she fought the urge to answer knowing that both of them would be unable to accept it anyway.

*******

When she had finally left the room he let out a sigh of frustration.

Just like that she was going to let him leave.

How could she?

It wasn't like he wasn't still the Big Bad. True his lack of mobility at the moment did cut down how much of a threat he really was. But it was just temporary. Vamp healing and all it was possible that he would be walking in a very short time.

He was positive that she knew that.

But she was going to let him go.

No protest not even a token argument.

Letting him go even knowing that when he did get his legs back that he would try to kill her again.

Bloody bint was completely round the bend.

He blocked all thought of her out of his mind as he waited the few hours until the sun set.

He was awakened when he heard her footsteps on the stairs. They seemed hesitant and he waited a moment before opening his eyes. He could feel her make the rest of her descent and stand as she had before at the bottom of the stairs.

Buffy stared at his relaxed form. She was not the least bit fooled thinking that he might be asleep it wasn't in his nature to leave himself so unguarded in her presence his unconscious moments aside. No he was waiting for her. For what she wasn't sure but it was not the time to find out in any case. Time was of the essence after all if he really wanted to leave.

"Spike." She called his name softly if he wanted to pretend to sleep she wasn't going to stop him. This was probably the last they would actually deal with each other and she was more then fine with that fact.

His blue eyes opened and she fought the urge to stare into them and find out what the hell was going through his head. Things were going to be more then embarrassing soon enough.

"Are you ready?"

He had a sense that there was more to that question then the obvious answer. Not willing to let his brain dwell on what that other meaning could be he simply gave her a slight nod.

Buffy had to hold in the sigh she could feel gathering in her chest. She understood his need to leave but she was sure he hadn't given serious thought about how he was actually going to get out of the basement and up a flight of stairs. Unfortunately she had and it wasn't going to be a pleasant experience. Not only was she putting herself in a vulnerable position but judging from the proud creature in front of her he wasn't going to be too happy with her solution. Even if there wasn't a better one available.

And how was she supposed to bring up such a delicate subject? It wasn't like she could just blurt it out was it? Certainly she could care less about his feelings but even she wasn't cruel. It was a necessicity that's all.

Pushing forward she stepped towards the cot a grim determination filling her eyes. She could get through this and then she wouldn't have to worry about dealing with him until the next time he tried to kill her. Everything will be as it should all she had to do was make it through tonight.

Reaching his side she gave him a questioning glance hoping that he would at least have figured out what his request would entail. The blank look in his eyes dashed that hope.

She cleared her throat nervously although that wouldn't be the emotion that she would admit too.

"I uh.. I mean..." His glare of impatience nearly undid her and she felt her resolve start to crack. "I'm going to have to carry you upstairs." The words flew out of her mouth and she refused to let the wince at their tone show to him. In front of this vampire she was going to show that nothing unnerved her and she was totally in control.

He slowly blinked at her before the meaning of her words sunk in. This was absolutely fucking perfect. He hadn't suffered quite enough in the arena of humiliation. There was nothing that he could do about it now. Not if he wanted to get out of here. And he really really wanted to.

He gave her another slight nod in conformation.

Taking the gesture for the affirmative it was she looked over his form again before deciding on the best way to do this. There was really two choices she could throw him over her shoulder and do a fireman's carry up the stairs which not only would be extremely humiliating but would be taking a huge risk in aggravating his healing back or she could carry him up in her arms.

The latter seemed the best choice and she bent forward slipping her arm under his knees while her other arm went around his back.

Instinctively he wrapped his arm over her shoulders as she lifted him off of the bed.

As they started up the steps Spike couldn't help but notice how the position he was now in brought him sinfully close to her neck. It would be so easy to strike from here when she was least expecting it. Finally sink his fangs into her tender neck and feel her life force drain down his throat. It was something he had dreamed about for the longest time now. Pity he couldn't act on it. He was impulsive yes but he wasn't stupid and killing the slayer here would only leave his crippled ass trapped in her basement. What would he do then? No better to hold off on that thought until the time was right.

The only thing Buffy thought as she made her way up the stairs was that even with her slayer strength he was still kind of heavy. The feeling was brief however as she came through the door at the top of the stairs and twisted to seat him in the wheel chair she had picked up earlier in the afternoon.

They didn't say a word as she released the brakes on the wheels and pushed the chair forward. The silence continued until she made it out to the end of her walk.

"Which way?"

He gestured his direction and silence settled over them again.

They made their way through town in the same manner only she no longer had to ask. He just gestured whenever she needed to change direction and soon she found herself near the docks standing in front of a warehouse building.

She was kind of amazed that he had led her here. If this was indeed their hide out he had just pointed it out to her. Not that she wouldn't have found it eventually.

This time she took her hands off of the chair handles thinking that he would want to roll himself into the factory. She took a hesitant step backwards.

"The window." The words were so low that she thought she'd imagined them at first and made no move to go back to the chair.

"Want to see what's goin' on first."

She didn't know why she was nodding it wasn't like he could see her as she was behind him but she did anyway as she stepped forward again and pushed him to the closest filthy window.

It was caked with dirt and grime and at first she had a hard time making out the scene before her eyes. Squinting she found a spot that she could peer through that was less dirty then the others and had to hold in a gasp at the sight.

She watched as two figures moved against each other their bodies propped up by a sturdy metal table behind the larger of the two bodies. Focusing she started to take in subtle details.

There was denying who they were she would be able to recognize Angel in a crowded room and there was no denying the identity of the dark beauty in his arms. Of course the tensed state of her traveling companion would give that much away.

Angelus had his backside against the table his arms cradling Druscilla's ass as he held her up. Her legs wrapped around his waist as they thrust in time together. Her dark hair draped back in a curtain as she tilted her head back in ecstasy. Angelus' other hand was busy at her breast while his mouth was buried in her throat.

She took two steps back away. It was too much for her to see. Her hand went to cover her mouth to hold back the scream she could feel building there.

It wasn't Angel. Not anymore and she already knew that this was happening.

But to have that knowledge confirmed by her own eyes. Well that just tore out the rest of her heart.

She wouldn't cry.

Not here. Not when she was still letting her mortal enemy return to the fold. Not to give him the pleasure of seeing her at less then her best.

She stepped to the side and looked at Spike.

His face was a hard mask the only hint of emotion in him the ticking of the muscle in his jaw. His hands were clutched in fists by his side.

Seeing his reaction she had to quash the feeling of sympathy she could feel. There was no place for such sentiment. It was neither wanted nor merited by the person in front of her.

And yet.

She stepped forward and placed a light touch to his shoulder.

"You're sure?"

The words were said so softly that had he not been a vampire he would have missed them completely.

He turned from the sight of the writhing figures to regard her with cold blue eyes.

"Yes."

She brought the chair back to the paved surface so that he would be able to maneuver it inside. Once done she turned and began to walk away. It was good that she didn't look back and see the bewildered look in his eyes.
3 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thank you all for the kind reviews. Hope you all are still enjoying this.
She was so sick and tired of stupid vampires. What were they thinking?

It had only been a week since the Judge and ever since she had been trying to make sense of what they were thinking. Sure they were irritated with her after all she was good at stopping their plans but if they wiped out all the humanity on the planet what the hell were they going to eat?

For beings that were way older then she was they didn't seem to have a whole lot of common sense. Of course for all she knew they were letting Dru plan everything for them.

It would explain all kinds of crazy decisions but for that to happen Angelus and Spike would have to be listening to her. Maybe all three of them had boarded the crazy train.

But the week had passed without a peep from the three. And though Buffy was many things patient wasn't one of them. She was tired of playing this game and waiting for them to strike.

She needed a chance to have a decent fight with them and even though the look on Angelus' and Dru's faces had been near hysterical when she pulled out the rocket launcher it didn't make up for the fact that they had run off like a couple of scaredy cats.

Not nearly as satisfying as fighting them directly.

But the thought of her final confrontation with the Judge as short as it was brought another question to the forefront of her mind.

Where was Spike?

Not that she cared. Quite the opposite in fact but he had to be healed by now it had been a month already.

She shrugged to herself. Now wasn't the time for this anyway. She had come out here for a specific purpose.

Standing just outside of the factory she checked the night sky. It was still plenty dark but right now it was kind of early. Early enough that the elder vampires should be out hunting.

Leaving a bunch of minions alone to hold down the fort so to speak. A bunch of minions she would have no trouble what so ever taking out.

The thought brought a smile to her lips. It was one hell of a way to send them the message that she was done playing.

And she should have plenty of time to get done before they returned to their lair.

There was a rarely seen bounce in her step as she made her way into the dark factory. She paused just inside the door letting her eyes adjust to the darkness. This was different then just her everyday slaying while she patrolled. No tonight she was hunting them.

She stuck to the shadows as she made her way through the factory staking each of the minions she found silently. None of them were prepared for someone to attack their little strong hold and she forced back the urge to tsk their arrogance. How could she not make an attack on their little nest? They were only begging for it.

One by one she stealthily depleted the number of minions that served the surviving members of the Scourge. It gave her a subtle thrill to know she was one-upping the most notorious group of vamps in the last two centuries.

She was a little disappointed as she made her way around to the last vamp she could find in the main part of the building. She was almost through but dammit for once she was really enjoying herself. As the dust settled she grasped her stake tighter so she could make it to the actual separate rooms in the back. No one had spotted her and there had been no alarm but she was cautious any way.

Reaching out with her senses she felt the familiar buzz that signaled vampire. It wasn't particularly overwhelming which told her it wasn't more then one. But it was off a little from the norm a little stronger then what she recognized on a daily basis. Something that screamed age and power. A master.

She halted and turned her head to the side listening. That didn't make sense the only master vampires in town currently were the three that lived here already and they were supposed to be out hunting. Raising her stake in the air she took a few more steps.

The sound of clapping brought a small smile to her lips.

Maybe there would be a bit of a challenge tonight after all.

"Nice work luv."

She twirled the stake in her hand.

"Now why does this seem familiar?"

The low chuckle that greeted her seemed to come from the right. Glancing in that direction she couldn't see anything it was just too dark.

The grin on her face disappeared as he wheeled into view. He was still in the damn chair.

The disappointment bubbled inside of her. Not only was she being denied a fight with her most worthy adversary of date but he should have long healed by now. What was going on?

She watched as he continued to roll forward the chair stopping as he entered a pool of light.

The gasp that left her was strictly involuntary as she took in the sight of him. He was most definitely still in the chair and her eyes roamed over his emaciated form. Where once strong sleek muscles were prominent now he was little more then skin and bones. The skin of his arms were covered in dark bruises. Letting her eyes drift to his face she couldn't help the surge of anger she felt as she noticed his sunken cheeks and the black eye. His right temple sported a bright red gash that nearly met his eyebrow.

Not a month ago she had left him outside of this very building in much better condition than the one she saw him in now. The difference was like night and day, the only way she could be sure it was the same man was the look in his vibrantly blue eyes.

For once the intense hatred she could see burning there wasn't directed at her.

"What have they done to you?" She whispered the words unable to really let them out in the face of her rage and compassion for the creature in front of her.

He stared quietly at the Slayer and watched the play of emotions that flickered over her face. He didn't want her pity it was worthless not something that he could use. But as he watched the rage start to burn in her emerald depths a surge of hope passed through him. A feeling he hadn't had since the third day he had returned to the factory.

His assessment of Angelus' reaction to his predicament had been spot on as usual and the round of torture and starvation had started almost immediately. They gave him just enough pigs’ blood to keep him from turning into a literal skeleton but not enough to nourish his beaten and abused body.

The seething hatred he had felt for the wanker when he was a fledge had returned ten fold. The only difference now was he was starting to hate his dark princess. It was unacceptable to him to feel that way about the woman who had raised him from the mediocrity that had been his life. But her continued attention to her daddy at his expense and her lack of concern about his declining condition was pushing him to that emotion.

But the Slayer, now there was something that could help. He had no reason to believe that she would really other then the fact that she had before. There was something about this one that was different and although he didn't let his thoughts linger on her any more then necessary he had a feeling that the compassion she had shown him was one of her greater strengths. Something he could use to help him rid the planet of his Grandsire's presence.

He was aware that she had voiced a question but he was too tired and emotionally spent to actually give a really coherent answer. He had used whatever reserve of strength he had left to make sure he wheeled himself to where she was. The pull of unconsciousness was almost irresistible and he managed to fight it just long enough for her to kneel in front of him.

"Do you want to leave?" Her voice was still quiet but he heard and clung to every word.

With a nod of his head he relaxed and finally let the blackness engulf him.

***********

He awakened slowly not really wanting to fight off the last pull of sleep in his tired body. The stirrings of his mind had brought him to consciousness a few times but the tug of sleep to his exhausted body had been too strong. The brief glimpses of awareness had brought flashes of images that he strained to put in order but failed.

There were too many all centered around a small green eyed blond girl who shouldn't give a right toss to what happened to him. And yet she did.

Opening his eyes slowly he was greeted by the sight of her face once again.

He didn't know if he should be relieved or terrified.

What he did know was that with the making of coherent thought that awareness brought it also reminded him of just how much pain he was in.

The rough groan that passed his lips seemed abnormally loud.

"I guess that answers the question of how you feel." She shook her head. "Jesus Spike what the hell happened to you?"

He stretched slightly noting that while the pain was immense it wasn't as sharp as it had been. Which of course could only mean he was healing and the only way that could happen given the state he was before everything had gone black was that he had at least been fed. He didn't know if he could ever thank her for that.

He stared into dark green pools full of concern and anger and wondered when everything was said and done if he would be able to go through with killing her. The thought that maybe he couldn't was pushed ruthlessly out of his mind. Of course he could this was just temporary he was still the Big Bad and as evil as always.

"Just Angelus being the bastard he's always been. Din't expect any less of the Wanker."

"Then why the hell did you go there in the first place?"

He declined to answer and gave her a glare.

She was tired. Too tired to sit and deal with a now conscious and apparently still hostile Spike. The last two days she had sat by his side and force fed mug after mug of blood into him. And while that provided a great distraction from her current problems it was also not one of her favorite things. Cause blood ewww.

She was glad that the events of Valentine's Day had confused and flustered her mother so much that she went on the spur of the moment buying trip for a couple of weeks. The timing of her raid on the factory couldn't have been better. For once luck had been on her side. She hated to think what would have happened if the others had burst into the basement to find Spike there.

Unfortunately the aftermath of the spell had left all of them embarrassed and flustered so they were all pretty big with the avoidy. Well except for Xander and Cordelia they were closer then ever as annoying as that was. Which all boiled down to Buffy being alone and having way too much time to think.

And she had been. So much so that her brain had to be fried. But every time she thought the swirling torment that was her thoughts had stopped that sneaking little voice in her head spoke up. The one that couldn't grasp the fact that the Angel she knew and loved had been turned into such a cold and heartless creature. The voice that told her the only probable outcome to their problems involved something sharp and pointy and wooden.

It hurt in ways she was unable to describe to anyone.

And yet she spent hours sitting and staring at Spike waiting for the moment where he would finally come to. What was wrong with her? Was she that desperate to hide from her pain? Why was she still trying to help him?

She didn't know the answers. What she did know was seeing him the other night in his god awful condition set her teeth on edge. She was angry. Well more then angry that anyone would take advantage of someone in such a way.

Evil was a poor word to describe it.

Sure death destruction these were the norm in the undead creatures that evil hovered in. But this? This went way beyond that.

Maybe the reason she wanted to help him now was the rage she felt. Maybe it was a way for her to put another nail in Angelus' metaphorical coffin.

So now he was awake. And just like that she knew the situation had completely changed. Not that she didn't think it would but she was unsure just how much to interact with him. Because if looks could kill... Yada yada yada.

She stood and just gave him a look that could be interpreted a number of ways, none of which she was going to expand upon.

"I'm going upstairs anything you need?" Her tone was brisk and business like.

Did he? Mean beside the use of his legs and to be healed from the weeks of torture and starvation from Angelus' hands?

He shook his head in the negative and watched as she seemed to gracefully float up the stairs. So he was back in the basement. He glanced around and noticed that its appearance hadn't changed while he'd been gone.

Just as well seeing how he didn't have the energy to notice the differences in the first place.
4 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone for their really kind reviews. This one is pretty slow and steady but I keep plugging away at it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again
He hadn't expected it but he rested well into the next day.

Listening quietly he didn't hear any heartbeats and guessed the silly bint was still off at school. He let out an amused snort. The Chosen One still had to attend public school? What daft world was this anyway?

That however meant that he was on his own for at least another few hours.

Which wasn't good since he was starting to feel hungry.

He sat up and turned to prop his back on the wall behind him. Once again the TV tray was set up near his cot and the same large thermos sat on top of it.

He shook his head. There was no understanding the motivations in the girl that was the current Slayer. Maybe he should just give up trying and enjoy the fact. At least this way he won't be bored. And the definite lack of torture both physical and mental was a huge plus.

There really wasn't much to decide anyway. He didn't have anywhere else to go. But he didn't have to like it.

He spent the next couple of hours draining the thermos and catching up with daytime TV. One of the things he had missed since he and Dru had moved into the factory.

What he didn't do was let himself think about the troublesome blond and her gestures of kindness towards him. He was bound and determined to get his legs back and when he did not only was he going to reclaim his dark princess from the poof but he was going to sink his fangs in her scrawny little neck. It was a plan he was proud of and right now she was just a means to an end. Hers really. That part of the plan was what he liked the best.

Instead he tried to amuse himself with the entertainment she had left behind.

Not that it distracted him for long. His hyperactive nature was just not meant for a wheelchair bound existence. After the first hour he had noticed that she had even brought the chair in for him and it was set up near the foot of his cot. He could if he was so inclined just roll around the basement for awhile. But he was a little hesitant to do so until he knew just how sturdy the cot was. He wasn't looking to spend any time relaxing on the floor.

By the time he did hear the front door open it had been dark for some time. But that wasn't the only thing he noticed. It was faint and he had to concentrate but it was there tugging on a distant part of his mind.

Angelus was here too.

He could hear their voices as they drifted through the floor boards but they were quiet and hard to distinguish. It lasted only seconds before he heard the click of the door shutting and her quiet footsteps as they crossed the floor.

The creak of the basement door followed and he watched as she made her way down the stairs.
In her hands was a second thermos.

She only stopped when she reached the TV tray not even looking at him and he tilted his head hoping to catch her eyes. When she finally did look up her green eyes were dark and lost in thought. Something with the wanker was weighing heavily on her mind he could tell and he was suddenly curious as to what.

"What the poof have to say pet?"

Her eyes refocused on him and she gave a little puzzled frown before something seemed to click in her mind.

"Sensed him huh? Not much really. Kind of surprised him that we did the disinvite spell though." Her voice while as melodic as always was quiet.

"Never been much for surprises unless he was the one giving them of course." He nodded at the chair behind her. Without looking she sat down.

She didn't answer and the far away look in her eyes seemed to return.

"Hey Slayer. Um where'd you get to luv?"

"Hmm? Oh sorry just thinking. I have this feeling like something isn't right." She turned to look up the stairs as the phone began to ring. "I better get that." She said the words absently as she rose out of the seat.

She wasn't sure what had made her go down to the basement after her little confrontation with Angelus.

That in itself had been a bit surreal. He had been lurking just outside of her front door as she made her way to the porch. She didn't know how long he had been there but it had already been dark for close to two hours and it wouldn't surprise her if he had been perched there for that amount of time. He was a stalker after all soul or no soul.

She hated to think what would have happened if her mother had been in town and had come home to Angelus waiting in their front yard. After all the other stunts he had pulled she could only imagine what he would say or do. But she wasn't so score one for Buffy.

He seemed a little put out that she had been alone as she walked up to him. It was kind of entertaining really. How often do you get to annoy a master vampire?

But the best was the look on his face when he had tried to follow her in the house and had bounced of the invisible barrier. She was going to treasure that look for a long time.

When she made her way down the stairs to give the thermos to Spike he appeared to have mellowed just a little. That was of the good. She wasn't sure how much more of his snark she could take.

And while they had only spoken a few sentences to each other it was different then before. She had felt less defensive of course that could be because he hadn't been goading her.

She reached the phone on the third ring just before the machine picked up.

"Hello?"

"Buffy." The voice was quiet and strained but she would recognize it anywhere.

"Giles?"

************

She blinked in shock as she found herself standing in front of Spike's cot once again. Feeling the tears streaming down her face she watched his face through bleary eyes. She took a deep breath held it for a second and let it out slowly.

After calling Willow and Xander over and telling them about Ms. Calendar she finally convinced the others that they needed to go check up on Giles. The fear in the pit of her stomach hadn't gone away and now was only half dampened by the guilt that was tearing her up inside.

Angelus' return was her fault after all.

And while her friends didn't see it like she did and were all with the non blame she knew deep down in her soul that they were wrong.

Angelus was free because of her regardless if she had done the deed herself. Her hesitation that led her to saving Spike had given Dru the time she needed to fuck the soul right out of Angel.

But that wasn't the only reason.

How many times had she run into him and not been able to take that last final step?

Look at what had happened not a few minutes ago. Angelus outside right on her doorstep. And had she staked him? Did she even try? No.

So yep she positively qualified as the blame worthy party.

He was staring intently at her and she didn't want to spend any more time then necessary down here talking to him. The gang was going to be they’re any minute and the only important thing to her was getting to Giles and making sure he was okay. Because he sounded very far from it on the phone.

She gestured to the thermos sitting next to him weakly.

"I have to leave and I don't know how long I'll be gone. Is that enough for awhile or should I bring down another thermos?" The shake in her voice was tough on her throat and she swallowed hard against it.

The tears in her eyes made it impossible to read what was in his but as he shook his head in the negative she was able to turn and walk away.

It wasn't his fault either.

********

There was a time when Spike wouldn't have hesitated at seeing a weakness in a Slayer and striking. Of course there was a time where he could walk. As he watched the trails of tears streak her cheeks he had the uncomfortable notion of asking her what was so wrong.

He trampled it down unmercifully.

And as he watched her silent tears trail from pain filled hazel eyes he had to stop himself from shaking his head at her question.

She still remembered to ask him if he needed anything.

His earlier assessment of the little blond seemed to be holding true. It was her heart that was her greatest strength. It was also her greatest weakness.

Not that the conclusion surprised him at all. Hell his Grand Sire knew it just as he knew that he no longer needed to breathe. The fact was it hadn't been a realization until he watched her pull herself together and head up the stairs.

Compassion was in a way something the world was sorely lacking.

*********

Buffy could feel the cracking of her heart as she stared into the pain filled blue eyes in front of her. She wanted nothing more then to replace it with the look of warmth and acceptance that she had always found there.

But she couldn't ask that. Not when she had betrayed him this way.

Deep down she knew that Giles would never hold this against her. Not the way she wanted him to. Not the way she held it against herself.

It didn't matter. Because she knew the truth.

Ms. Calendar was dead. Found in her Watcher's bed. Left as a taunting little note in one of Angelus' sick plans.

As she helped Giles to his feet she took another good long look at the now burning factory. She had sensed them leave the building and they were still out there. Somewhere.

The warmth of the fire set a burning sensation in her soul.

It was finally time.

**********

Sometimes in the great scheme of things there comes a feeling of great peace when certain clear decisions were made. That peace had been a part of Buffy for two days now.

She felt little need to actually communicate with anyone. Just the knowledge that the decision was one she had finally made and that she would and could live with it was all she needed. Standing here next to Jenny Calendar's grave at the side of her pained Watcher it was that peace that let her focus away from the guilt and grief she felt at her death.

It was time for Angelus to die.

As she walked away she had let Giles know. Felt she owed it to him to share that knowledge.
5 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thank you all for the great reviews. Here is the next chappie please let me know what you think as always and thanks for continuing to read.
Two days since she had been down with tears on her face. Two days since he'd seen her.

For two days the thermos would show up while he was sleeping. He would wake up and voila it was there.

But he hadn't seen her.

He'd heard her moving around the house of course and at one point her little friends had stayed for awhile and chatted the Slayer up. He'd listened intently trying to figure out what was going on with the little do-gooders. Looking for possible weaknesses.

He was still evil after all.

He'd heard all about the teacher's death and her discovery by the Watcher.

Angelus at his finest again.

But while the other two were vocal and supportive the Slayer was strangely silent. He felt there was something more to that.

It wasn't that he felt any sympathy or empathy for whatever they may be feeling.

He was just put out that she hadn't come down and talked to him.

Vampire's were not solitary creatures by nature preferring to surround themselves with family they could stand and Spike was no exception.

He was getting damned tired of talking to himself.

But even with the lack of social interaction he was still in a good mood.

Yesterday a tingling started in his legs.

The feeling was coming back in the lower half of his body and if the Slayer kept feeding him as she had been he would be up and walking soon. The thought brought a smile to his lips.

Yep the Big Bad was finally on his way back.

He was still kind of pissed that she was avoiding him though.

The sound of the front door drew his attention and he listened intently to the sound of her heartbeat. Her footsteps padded softly above his head moving from the front of the house to the back. He could hear her open the fridge and the sound of a jar hitting the counter. After a few seconds her footsteps resumed this time heading for the door which led down to his little hide away.

So today she was going to grace him with her presence.

Well fuck that.

He wasn't some charity case. There was a limit to the damage that could be done to his wounded ego and he had passed that mark about a month back. She could just sod off.

Not like he really wanted to talk to her anyway. He was just tired of being alone. The fact that she was the only person who was going to be seeing him was just an unfortunate set of circumstances.

As her feet plodded their way down the stairs he decided that maybe he didn't need company after all. He'd just gotten his toe to twitch.

He fought back the smirk he wanted to let out.

No reason to let her know what was going on.

He finally looked up at her and noted the somber look on her face and the more conservative cut of her clothes. In her hand she held his thermos.

"So to what do I owe the honor of your presence?" Now he let the smirk come his comment the best way to hide its true meaning.

The look on her face never wavered. It was calm and strangely peaceful while her eyes were hard as flint. For some reason he found it uncomfortable.

She walked forward and placed the blood on the tray without pause. He felt those hard green eyes focus on him and for some reason had to fight the urge to squirm under her gaze. Instead he just raised an eyebrow in question in her direction.

Taking a seat on the chair she seemed to tilt her head and study him with curiosity.

And while the hard look never left her eyes he could see the dawning of some kind of revelation. She leaned forward placing her elbows on her knees and resting her chin on her palms.

"Can I ask you something?" The quiet question held a note in it he thought might have a deeper meaning. What that meaning was he was unsure.

"I suppose." His tone was guarded.

"Do you still love her?"

He cocked his head at her. That had to be the most stupid question he had ever heard in his unlife. How could he not love his dark princess? She was his salvation his purpose and reason for being. Daft bint.

She appeared to search his eyes and find something in them that answered her question without words.

"Of course you do." She let out a deep sigh. "Even with everything that's happened you still love her just as much." She began to leave but paused at the bottom of the stairs.

"You know that Angelus has to die. But as long as she doesn't come after me or my family I won't stake her." She took a step to begin climbing the stairs before stopping again and shaking her head. "I don't expect you to understand but I wouldn't even want my enemy to go through something like this. It isn't right."

************

She felt the tightness return to her chest with her words. Would she be able to finally put all this behind her? Would Angelus' death finally give her a release from this perpetual torment of her own guilt and grief? Somehow she doubted it. Why she cared what Spike thought was beyond her and she had to wonder one more time if she had finally been pushed over that line between sanity and crazy. Because nothing she had done in the last few months seemed to be making much sense.

Making her way back up the stairs she resisted the urge to turn and look at the vampire.

For some reason she had the sinking suspicion that she was betraying her calling. How many Slayers would willingly save a vampire not once but twice and then not kill their girlfriend just because they wanted to spare their feelings? Another probable first for her.

But she knew it was exactly what she had told him. No one no matter what their past was should be going through what she had to endure with loving Angel. And if she could spare him that pain she would.

It wasn't that she liked him and hey she was pretty far from that she just felt that it wasn't in her to do that to some one else. Blood sucker or not.

"Wait."

His quiet word stopped her on the third step. Slowly she turned and looked back at him raising her own eyebrow in question. He avoided her eyes and she wished that he wouldn't. It was so much easier to read him with his eyes.

"Thank you." She barely heard the words and almost missed them. The only way she was positive that he had whispered them was the moving of his lips.

She didn't acknowledge the words certain that he was embarrassed that they were uttered in the first place.

"I'm sorry I haven't taken more time to come down here. I was mostly dealing with Giles. Guess I kind of suck at the Florence Nightingale thing. Do you need anything?"

He didn't answer for a moment and she wondered what he was thinking about.

"I could probably use a bath."

They were the last words she had expected to hear but she felt like kicking herself for their obviousness.

"Shit. I do suck. Let me set up some stuff and I'll be right back."

Climbing the stairs as fast as possible she rushed up to the second floor and began to pull out a pair of old sweats and a large t-shirt out of her dresser. Next she went to the linen closet and pulled out a couple of towels. Rushing into the bathroom she reached under the sink and pulled out some plain shampoo and soap.

For some reason she didn't think Spike would appreciate smelling of vanilla and jasmine.

Satisfied she walked back into the basement.

*********

He hadn't anticipated her answer. Of course he hadn't anticipated telling her that he had wanted the bath. It had just slipped out when he was trying to regain his composure over her confusing yet sincere words.

It was way beyond weird that she was apologizing for the way she had avoided him and for the fact that she didn't believe she was providing enough care for him. He had been afraid for a moment that she would make some snide comment about his whispered words but she hadn't. It was possible she hadn't even heard it but the look on her face as she stared at him told him other wise.

And the speed she had taken off to presumably prepare a bath for him left him little doubt of the sincerity of her intentions.

For the umpteenth time she had surprised him again.

All thoughts of coolly dismissing her had fled as soon as she had mentioned sparing Dru's life because he still loved her.

For over a century he had taken the time to learn how to read people not only by their actions or words but by the look in their eyes and their body language. Everything that he was told him that she had finally made peace with Angelus' upcoming death at her own hands. And it was killing her. So much so that she was willing to spare him the pain of losing his own love.

How unselfish could someone be?

While he waited he drained his thermos and thought about how much his opinion of this young woman had changed.

Sure when he first saw her he had seen that she was a young beautiful girl. Hard to miss something so blatantly obvious. As time passed he thought she was a whining little brat and more often then not a snarky bitch put on this earth just to make his unlife hell. For months he had done nothing but imagine her painful but well deserved death at his own hands or fangs.

Now there was something about her that was deeper a quality she kept hidden that was surfacing as he spent more time in her presence. He had seen her strength physically before been on the business end of it more times then he could count but he had seriously underestimated her inner strength. Her devotion to those she was closest to and her compassion for strangers were unparallel to any he had ever seen.

It was more than her duty or her calling. It was innately her.

But he still wanted to make her dead. Why the idea was still so tempting he had no idea. Maybe just a gut reaction to her being the Slayer. And it wouldn't be a hardship to imagine the feel of his fangs in her tender neck as he drank of her powerful blood.

He just didn't really hate her anymore.

Right now he could if he so choose admit that she was almost likeable. Almost.

He watched as she made it down to the bottom of the stairs her bottom lip caught in her teeth. She was anxious about something of that much he was sure but what that was he still didn't know. Until he looked up at the door to the kitchen.

Fuck he had forgotten that he was going to have to be carried to get up the steps.

This time he wasn't going to prolong the moment for either one of them because it was just too damn uncomfortable.

He waited for her to cross the floor to him and didn't say a word as she positioned him in her arms to go up the stairs. She took the steps slowly but surely and he had to admit it was a good thing that the person who was taking care of him had that bit of super strength. Of course maybe if he wasn't so sunlight challenged he wouldn't be stuck in a basement.

They made the entire trip in silence neither willing to bring their predicament to attention. Buffy elbowed the door to the bathroom open before sitting him on the bottom of the dry tub.

She straightened up and cleared her throat. Turning quickly she spread a towel on the floor just outside of the tub.

"You'll be alright by yourself right?" Her words were quiet as she focused on the task of spreading out the towel anything to keep from looking at him.

Spike took a second to take stock of himself sitting in an empty tub with the Slayer fussing around him. Seemed a little to weird even for him.

"Yeah." Was all he answered. Hell he was able to get himself undressed if that was what the chit was worried about. He looked at the girl whose back was still facing him. Yeah he would rather do this himself any way.

Finally turning she rested a second towel next to the tub.

"I figure you can give me a yell when you're ready to get out and I'll um place you here." She gestured to the towel at her feet. "Just use the other one to um well you know right?" She closed her eyes tightly for a moment knowing that she was blushing but unable to help her response. She was about to leave a naked man in her tub and then come back in and move him while said man was still without clothes. Vampire or not she was still embarrased at the prospect of a man's anatomy being around her in any way.

Spike couldn't help the pang of hunger as he watched the color rise in her cheeks. He could practically feel the blood rushing under the surface of her skin.

"Right." He answered tightly fighting the urge to take a deep breath.

She turned quickly and fled the room. If circumstances had been different he would have taken great pleasure in tormenting her about her response. Unfortunately for him they weren't.

As soon as the door clicked shut he began tugging off his jeans and took off his shirt. Bending forward he reached the stopper on the tub and secured it. Turning on the water he pulled the setting to as hot as it would go.
6 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thank you all for the great reviews. I know this one is taking a long time to get going but it is after all season 2. No hugs and puppies yet. Please continue to let me know what you think and thanks again for staying with me.
Buffy sat in front of her vanity trying to steer her thoughts from the naked male in her bathroom as she brushed her hair. She'd taken the time to change into her pjs and a robe knowing that when she was finished dealing with Spike that she was going to relax in front of the tv and then head to bed.

It worked somewhat. There was no way she could erase the thought of Spike naked in her bathroom totally from her mind.

But she was dealing even if she was using a good dose of denial. All in all she had to admit she was proud of herself. The situation itself was beyond uncomfortable for the both of them and she hadn't backed down yet. Sure helping out her mortal enemy shouldn't bring a sense of pride but she was doing remarkably well at it.

Of course she wasn't letting her mind think of what was going to happen after Spike was better.

Deep down she knew without a doubt that as soon as Spike was able to walk that he was going to try to kill her. Try being the operative word of course. But he wasn't going to stop trying until one of them was dead or dust. This she knew and yet here she was trying to make sure not only was he healing but that he was comfortable while he did it.

A part of her a small part granted was sure that this was going to mean something important. That the way she was caring for him was going to be reflected back to her eventually. And while she was never one to believe heavily in concepts like karma she also knew that it couldn't hurt.

There was also the possiblity that it wasn't just a karma thing.

However she had forbidden her brain from going down that set of thoughts and reaching their logical conclusion. She was better off not even thinking about it.

So she was going to keep following her instincts where the blond vamp was concerned.

**********

Spike closed his eyes in rapture.

The hot water felt wonderful against his cool skin and seemed to soothe every one of his tired muscles and frazzled nerves. He'd been sitting in the tub just soaking for quite a while and he was grateful that the Slayer seemed content just to let him be.

He wasn't sure he ever wanted to get out of the tub. Here he could for just a little while push all other thoughts from his mind. And while escapism wasn't his usual style his enforced circumstances were leaving him little choice other than think about what was happening to him and around him or just avoid it all.

He was going with avoidance.

It wasn't like he had a need to analyze his thoughts anyway. That was more the poofters thing. No he was just tired of thinking about the stupid situation on a whole.

So he lingered in the cooling water.

He knew that soon he would have to call out to the Slayer and get her to get him out of the tub. Not something he was looking forward too. Where the old Spike would have taken great joy in embarrassing the virginal girl with his naked state he now just wanted the humiliating experience over with.

And really what fun would he have at her expense when she could easily turn the situation around on him and point out his current humiliation. Not like he wanted that to happen. No it was easier for them both if they just got through all of this as fast as possible.

As he was soaking he let his mind wander off of his uncooperative legs to the blonde in the other room. It was true that sooner or later she was going to get the hint that he was healing. Sure he could hide it for awhile but it would be too easy to slip with the girl and even he knew that he would heal faster with her help.

But the question was how much he should let on about how he was doing. The element of surprise was a great advantage and not one that he was willing to give up so easily. With the progress he was making it would only be to the end of the week before he had a full range of motion in his legs. Then he would need at least a week to build up some strength in the unused muscles.

With that thought came the inevitable one about what would happen after his legs were working. He now had an invitation into the Slayer's home but was unsure if he really wanted to take advantage of that. He was always one for a fair fight and somehow violating the safety of the girl's home didn't seem like playing fair.

So maybe he would just buy some time and walk away. Give himself the opportunity to put things together and meet her one on one the way it was meant to be. Part under the same kind of unspoken truce that they had going.

The real question of course was what to do about his dark princess. Her current infatuation with the great brooding one left him with not only a bad taste in his mouth but the raging jealousy that one hundred years hadn't let him forget. He'd dedicated his unlife to loving the woman but she had tossed him away like rubbish as soon as the poofter had entered the picture. That wasn't easy for him to deal with. But he couldn't give up on her now could he? No they were still meant to be together even if she was a fickle bitch right now. Once he got her away from her precious daddy she would see reason and things would be like they were before they'd ever come to this hell hole.

Killing the Slayer would help her see him again. Hell everyone would take notice again. Killing his third Slayer would be one of the greatest coups in the demon world since well ever. No vampire had managed to kill two Slayers beside him and to kill three well that would ensure his reputation among the demon community for generations to come.

Pity he had to kill this one though.

***********

"Hey Slayer!"

She sighed as his voice seemed to echo down the hallway. Sitting here in the peace and quiet of her room it was easy to let herself forget all about the blonde menace and his wayward family. Forget about all the pain they had caused and all the pain she had yet to suffer through. Cause she had no doubt that was the road they were on.

Walking quickly she made her way back to the bathroom and tapped lightly on the door before turning the knob.

She barely heard his muffled response to her knock certainly not enough to actually make out the words but she didn't really think it mattered. He wouldn't have called her if he wasn't ready to get out.

Stepping through the door the first thing she noticed was the steam. Of course it would have been damn hard not to notice it. The room was like a sauna the heat making it hard for her to breathe. Waving a hand in front of her face she tried to fan some of it out of the way so she could see.

Once the steam dissapaited a bit she was able to make out Spike still sitting in the tub. His back was to her of course but she was able to make out the strong line of his shoulders. She felt the first flutters of butterflies in her stomach but managed to squash the feeling down.

Buffy could admit that she was nervous about the whole thing. She could but she wouldn't. Not to herself and definitely not to Spike. But she could get through this if only through sheer determination and force of will. Besides the less she spent time in here the better.

Finding her thoughts comforting she moved quickly walking over to the other side of the tub so that she could look him in the face. She gave him a slight smile not sure if it was to give herself a little confidence or if it was to give him a little reassurance. It was best if she didn't try to figure that out.

So she squared her shoulders and stepped closer to the tub ignoring the fact that the male vampire was naked except for a white towel draped over his waist. If she pretended it wasn't the case than it wasn't dammit.

Without a word she bent down and slid her arms under his legs and wrapped the other around his waist. He again tightened his hold on her neck as she lifted him with a small grunt out of the tub before settling him gently on the towel she had laid out earlier. Once that was done she reached over and placed the clothes she had stacked on the toilet next to him and gave him one more towel.

Still not speaking she turned and left the room.

With the door safely shut behind her the indifference she had held onto began to fade. She felt her heart rate pick up and she swallowed hard. Okay there was no sense denying it the black clothes were definitely hiding some major hotness. Not that she wanted to pay attention to that or did it change the fact that he was her enemy albeit one she kept saving.

But she had to admit even if she was only a teenager she couldn't deny the sheer fact that Spike William the Bloody if he was human would be a major hottie.

Shaking her head she resolved to blame her bad thoughts on exactly that evil teenage hormones.

*********

He didn't take that much time throwing on the clothes the Slayer had left for him. Of course sweat pants and a shirt weren't really his style but the feel of clean clothes was such an improvement he couldn't find the ire to complain about it.

What he could do was stop now that he had taken care of getting clean and focus again on the slight tingling in his legs. The feeling was really faint but it was there. Although he was unable to reproduce the move he had made with his toe earlier he was getting that really excited feeling in the pit of his stomach.

The big bad was on his way back.

And the sooner he was back the better.

He had so many things to take care of he just didn't know where to start.

But first things first.

Right now he needed to go back down to the basement and feed again maybe catch some kip while he was at it.

"Slayer." He singsonged her title knowing she would hear him.

Sure enough less then a minute later she was knocking gently on the door. Least the bint wasn't keeping him waiting.

She breezed through the door all business once again even if Spike could her the slight acceleration of her heartbeat. He knew she had to have been nervous when she pulled him out of the tub earlier but she had hid it well. Even if he didn't want to he had to admit the chit had stones. More than most blokes he'd ever known.

They didn't speak as she once again lifted him up to take him to the basement. The entirety of the trip made in a comfortable silence. Strange for two beings who weren't all that comfortable in each others presence.

Then again talking had it's draw backs too.

As she finally settled him on his cot and left to go upstairs he again tried to flex his toes. They wiggled a bit back and forth before he stopped because he heard her approaching the basement door once again.

She entered quietly her fingers wrapped around the familiar thermos. Someday he would have to ask her where she was getting the blood from.

The silence continued as she handed him the thermos and turned to leave. He watched her start to ascend the stairs and blinked back his surprise.

Barely a whisper of words reached his ears and he wasn't even sure she meant for him to hear them.

"You're welcome Spike."
7 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thank you all for your reviews. I know that I haven't been updating too regular lately but stick with me we'll get there eventually. Seems like real life is introuding on my fantasy life and that just sucks let me tell you. Anyway please keep reading and let me know what you think. As always thank you for the reviews and giving me the confidence to keep going.
Two days more had passed and the slight tingling Spike had been feeling in his legs was more like the sharp prickling one got when a limb fell asleep. Except it ran all the way up his legs both of them. He wasn't sure he'd ever felt anything so torturous in his whole unlife. And knowing Angelus that was saying a lot.

Right now the feeling had been constant for almost twenty four hours and he was passed the point where he thought he could take it. Sure the first few hours he'd been able to tell himself it was part of the healing process and such. But now. Now the pain was just that pain.

"BLOODY BUGGERIN' FUCK!" The yell seemed to shake the beams above him.

Buffy was trying her best to study for a few minutes before night finally fell. She'd been slacking on the school work recently with all the Angelus shit but she really needed to buckle down. The end of the year was coming and unless she wanted to spend the entire break in summer school she needed to have decent grades on her report card.

She had to repress a shudder at the thought. Last thing she needed was more hours at the school between regular classes and Giles she practically lived there as it was. Besides if she had to go to summer school she would be grounded until she was thirty. An age Slayer's didn't reach unless they were stuck inside their house without any reprieve by the harshest of punishers like her mom.

The eraser on her pencil had been nearly chewed entirely off when she heard his yell. And galling as it was she couldn't help the little jump in surprise that came from the loudness of his voice.

Although she had been down there not an hour before she rose from her seat to see what all the fuss was about. As she made her way quietly to the basement she listened for another outburst from Spike. But it was silent once again.

She didn't call out to him unsure if this latest bit of noise was something she should have ignored. Slipping silently down the stairs she held back the gasp she felt in her throat at the sight of him.

He was in obvious agony his eyes closed tightly, fists clenched against his sides, his jaw set in a hard line as he held himself silent. She was sure he was unaware of the silent tears that traveled down his face.

Her pace never stopped and she didn't let her mind question why. Still not speaking she moved to his side and laid a hand gently on his arm.

At her tender touch his blue eyes opened before flashing amber. She watched as they flicked between both colors as he struggled with what he was feeling.

Her gut told her what was wrong but she was at a loss about what to do. It had to be his legs she had little doubt that it had been long enough for the feeling to be returning to them. Moving cautiously not thinking about what she was about to do she moved to the end of the cot. Taking his closest leg in her hand she lifted it slightly off of the cot. With her free hand she began to massage his calf. She worked the muscle up and back down before changing her stance and lowering his leg. Using both hands now she rubbed both his legs her touch gentle but firm.

Spike was beyond comprehending what was going on around him. The only thing he could focus on was the pain. That was until the feel of her fingers working on his flesh drew his attention. As she began to work both of his legs he couldn't help the gasp that escaped his lips at the slight relief of his torment. Her touch wasn't stopping the pain but it was allowing him something else to focus on.

Buffy heard the slight inhalation of air and worked her hands a bit higher. She moved as far as she dared not too much higher than his knees before she worked her hands back down again. Keeping the amount of pressure constant in her fingers she continued to manipulate his long neglected muscles not even looking up at his face. She worked silently the only sound in the room was her own quiet steady breaths.

The longer the motion of her hands continued the more Spike felt the harsh feeling in his legs ebb. It didn't disappear but the soothing strokes of her fingers over his flesh let him finally relax enough for his eyes to droop. He'd been fighting the pain for so long that he hadn't slept and he hadn't eaten. The thermos by his side was still full since she brought it down an hour ago and he had no urge to drain it now.

The quiet of the room lulled them both into a state of non thinking where they only reacted to what they were doing. Spike let his eyes finally close let the flowing motions just wash over him.

Buffy let her mind shut off for once not thinking about the ramifications of the things she was doing for and with the blond vampire on her cot. Instead she just kept massaging his legs until she noticed him quietly drift off into an exhausted slumber. Slowly bringing her movements to a stop she let her hands fall away from his body and just watched his still face. She was struck again by how peaceful and innocent he looked while asleep.

Shaking her head she stepped away before pulling up the blanket that was at the end of the bed to cover him up. It was at times like this when she had finished doing whatever she could for the bleached blond in front of her that her mind began to whisper how foolish she was being.

She knew what he was and what he was capable of doing and yet here she was helping him to heal. There was no question that he would be just as he was before not counting Angelus Spike was her most feared enemy only because they had always been so evenly matched before. And while her fear of Angelus was based in personal feelings the fear she felt for Spike stemmed from what they were to each other. Natural mortal enemies. The kind that were destined to fight to the death.

The whispered scolding in her mind about how stupid she was being had yet to remain silent since she had brought him to her house. It spoke not only of the consequences possible from the determined vampire but also what her friends would think and how her poor watcher would react. Giles had already lost so much from her being with a vampire that the thought of letting him down by helping this one while he lacked a soul stung her badly. She didn't know how much longer she could keep herself together. It was still hard enough to face the look in his eyes every time Angelus' name came up or to see the pain in his face as he thought of Ms. Calendar.

And yet she let none of that stop her from her current course. She had every intention of seeing Spike walk out of her basement under his own power.

It was where he would walk to next that disturbed her.

**********

She walked down the steps quietly not more then six hours later tired after finally managing to complete her homework and do an extensive patrol. Her left shoulder was a little sore from the blind leap one idiot vampire had tried to bring her down with and she rubbed at it subconsciously.

All in all it had been a pretty uneventful if not exhausting patrol.

Buffy told herself she was only going back down here to check and see if she needed to refill his thermos not to make sure he was alright.

Even if she still had a hard time shaking the image of his pain filled face from her mind.

She noticed he was awake only after she had cleared the bottom step and by then it was too late for her to turn around and go back up.

He was watching her silently his head barely cocked to the side as if there was a question he wanted to ask but was holding back.

Spike hadn't expected to see her down here so soon. He had awoken only a few minutes before just enough time for him to get his bearings before he heard her key slide into the door upstairs.

Gee this wasn't awkward at all she thought mockingly to herself.

"Um I didn't expect you to be awake." She gestured towards the thermos which had moved to the other side of the tray she was happy to notice. It meant he'd at least attempted to eat.

"Couldn't sleep." There was no inflection in his voice and he sounded tired. He looked worse.

"The pain is still there." She didn't need for him to tell her that. It was the only thing that made sense.

He didn't reply there wasn't really a need to. The only thing he could do was stare at her. He wasn't sure just what had come over her to touch him in such a manner earlier and if it hadn't been as beneficial he would have been the first to protest. He wasn't one to look a gift horse in the mouth though and now he was at a loss for what to say to her. There was no way he was lowering himself to thanking the Slayer for putting her hands on him. No way at all.

Buffy just continued to look at him for a moment before letting her gaze sweep over his legs before sweeping back up to look in his eyes.

If he didn't want to talk about his recovery Buffy was fine with that.

"Do you need me to refill that?"

He shrugged his shoulders listlessly in answer.

She had to fight down the surge of annoyance she felt. All she wanted to do was help the ungrateful bastard and he was making it as difficult as possible.

Instead she took a deep breath before turning to go back up the stairs. She wasn't about to kid herself that no matter how civil they seemed to have been before that the amount of hatred he felt for her hadn't changed. The problem was she wasn't thinking like that anymore. Sure she hated everything he stood for being an evil blood sucking vampire and all but she didn't hate him personally.

If she was being honest with herself, the only one she could be honest with, she kind of respected him. She didn't know many people who could have taken the pain and torture Spike had and still be the stubborn SOB he was. Nothing he seemed to have suffered from Drusilla's painful unfaithfulness to the loss of his ability to walk had broken the vampire. She had to admire that.

On the other hand she had little doubt he thought about her at all. In his eyes all she could see was the cold hatred that had always been there. Not that she expected different but it was a little unsettling after all this time. It wasn't like she hadn't been keeping him alive or anything.

Instead she kept her back to him before she spoke once more finding it easier to address the stairs than the iciness of his gaze.

"Next time try giving me a heads up before you start shouting down the rafters. I have homework to do."

Spike watched her back as it went up the stairs and out of his sight. It was true his legs were killing him metaphorically speaking of course but it was damn painful. Right now he was, against his will wishing she would come back down those stairs and massage his legs some more.

He still had his pride at least.

It was a small comfort against the pain.
8 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Thanks to all of you who have reviewed. This one is going to be pretty long from the feel of it already although that wasn't what I had thought it would be. Anyway thank you all for letting me know what you think and I'll continue to plug away at this one. Thanks for continuing to read.
She woke in the morning with the sun on her face. Smiling at the warmth she felt from the rays and the peace that she got during the daylight hours with the sun's reprieve she opened her eyes.

Although she had gotten to bed late but she had slept well for once. Something she hadn't done since Angelus had killed Jenny.

And just like that her good mood evaporated.

The thought of her former boyfriend was enough to dose the warmth of the sun on her skin and she held back the shudder that ran down her spine.

Even though she knew that she was going to kill Angelus the opportunity had not presented itself. It wasn't like she could just charge the mansion on her own. There were just too many minions and with both Angelus and Drusilla there she would be at a disadvantage.

She had tried planning an assault but always came back to that stumbling block.

Still she had to admit that it was little comfort to her. The only thing she wanted was to get this whole thing over with. Of course if there was a way for them to do this without her having to face Angelus that would be even better. Unfortunately even in denial she knew a face off with the demon was inevitable. Too much had happened for it to be otherwise.

She sighed and got herself out of bed and began to dress for school. At least today she had a chance to actually not fall asleep during class.

As she continued to get ready her thoughts turned to the peroxide pest located two flights below her. She knew he was in pain and that he wasn't going to admit it to her. She also knew that they were going to have to actually work his legs to get the muscles going so they would be able to support his weight again. And she was positive that he was going to fight her every single bit of the way.

Not that she should expect any different. But she did. After all if he wanted to walk he was going to have to suck it up and put up with her.

And she wanted him to walk.

Soon if not sooner. Today was Tuesday and by next Monday her mother was going to be home from her buying trip. And she still had the same problem she did before. Explaining the presence of the blond downstairs to her mother was not an option.

They had less then a week.

*********

Spike sat in his chair fuming. It wasn't everyday that he put himself in the wheelchair but he was bloody bored with sitting on the cot and watching TV. Not to mention that his legs seemed to hurt less with the change of position.

He had tried rubbing them down himself and while that gave him a small amount of comfort it was nothing when compared to the time the Slayer did it for him.

He hated it. Hated to admit to himself that he needed her help with this too. It was bad enough being dependent on her for his food at this point let alone needing her like he did to help him walk. He wondered often why she was doing this. None of it made any sense and he knew that asking her wouldn't give him the answer either. He often saw the confusion in her eyes when she was in the room with him like she was unsure of what she was doing let alone why.

He wanted to hurry up and get the hell out of here. This dank basement that was filled with the Slayer's scent and the smell of fresh laundry. He was oh so tired of it.

But to do that he would have to swallow what little pride he had left. It wasn't much anymore but he wasn't willing to sacrifice it just yet. Not enough for him to give up what little spark of dignity he had left.

So instead he rolled from on end of the basement to the other looking for something. Anything that would help him.

Knowing it was just upstairs.

*******

It was just official. Her life sucked beyond not just the telling of it but the dreaming of it too. How could two spirits seeking the love and forgiveness of each other pick her and Angelus to live out the whole thing.

It was too cruel.

She hadn't stopped crying since she had left the others at the school. Now that she was home she was just going to go upstairs and cry herself to sleep.

He'd been looking at her like he had before. His eyes gentle and full of love and it was tearing her heart into pieces.

She had accepted the fact that she was going to kill him and as long as she could see him as the monster it wasn't as hard to imagine.

Tonight had shredded that illusion to shreds.

She could see him in the demons face. Her Angel. The man she loved. This was still her Angel no matter what.

So she cried. Cried loud sobbing tears as she ran all the way back to her house. All the way up her stairs until she collapsed in a heap on her bed.

Her heart couldn't take much more she knew. Her innocent first love that would have to be sacrificed to end the monster he had become. Inside she wondered just how cruel the fates had yet to be. If this was just the beginning of an endless stream of pain.

She knew that she should have gone downstairs to check on Spike. She hadn't been home all day after all and it was already ten in the evening. He would be hungry and starting to get angry. He was always furious when he'd been alone for too long. Of course if she stayed down there too long he would get pissed off too. He was a very difficult vamp.

But she was having a hard time caring at this point. Not just about Spike either she could care less about everything right now except the mind numbing pain she was feeling.

Pulling Mr. Gordo off her pillow she cradled him to her chest and let the sobs come out.

**********

He knew the second she was home of course. That feeling he always got that screamed Slayer and kicked in his survival instincts.

He'd been trying to pull himself up out of the chair using his grip on the washing machine. It wasn't much but he'd managed to put a little weight on his legs before he collapsed back into the chair. The progress was better then nothing. It was a lot of effort however and he couldn't help but feel exhausted by now.

Which of course reminded him that the Slayer hadn't been home yet today and therefore he hadn't gotten fed yet. The feeling of helplessness that washed over him from the familiar predicament was shoved ruthlessly away and he continued to concentrate on his physical condition. The pain was fading slowly from his legs and he was happy to discover that the more he worked with them the more the pain lessened.

He'd stopped though when he heard her pounding footsteps come up the front walk and go through the door slamming it closed. He listened to her practically fly up the stairs before what he assumed her bedroom door slammed as well. All the noise however wasn't enough to drown out the gut wrenching sobs he could her emanating from her.

Great Slayer had a spot of heartbreak and now she was going to stay locked up in her room which meant he wasn't going to be getting any blood today. The thought pissed him right off. He was tired of this bullshit.

First Angelus now the Slayer. Although he shouldn't be surprised. He was sure that she would eventually come to her senses where he was concerned and simply start to act the way the Slayer was supposed to act.

Didn't mean it didn't suck.

As he sat in the cursed chair he could feel his rage grow.

All the repressed anger and hate he'd been feeling was building inside of him. This time he didn't try to stop the feeling.

*********

Buffy took a deep breath and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. The harsh sobbing was finally under control but the tears still leaked from her eyes. She didn't pay them any attention however.

Instead she tried to focus her thoughts on other things.

Forcing herself to break through the lethargy her extensive crying had caused her she rose from her bed.

In contrast to the way she had entered the house not to long before this time she was eerily silent as she made her way down the stairs and into the kitchen. She moved automatically the familiarity of preparing a thermos more a part of her now. The silence in the house seemed to settle into her and she welcomed it. The quiet held back the pain.

If she concentrated on the silence she didn't think didn't have to feel.

Finished she glided to the basement door once again ready to descend into the vampire's temporary lair.

*********

Spike silently seethed in his chair for what seemed like hours when it was only minutes. Seethed and felt his anger grow. Not just at the stupid bint at the top of the stairs but his whole unlife. Every little injustice that he felt since the moment he figured out that his dark princess had turned him as a form of amusement until this evening and his frustration at not walking grew into him until it felt like it was crawling under his skin making it feel tight and close to bursting.

Grew to the point that he could stay silent and still no longer.

Giving a harsh tug to his wheels he placed himself near one of the many shelves. Letting out a roar he began to throw whatever he could find against the basement wall not hearing the crunch of metal or the tinkling of breaking glass.

Instead he just let the rage consume him.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" The firm steel in the voice belied its quiet and tired tone.

He didn't care. He turned burning amber eyes on the reason for his current misery.

"What does it bloody look like I'm doing!" He bellowed back at her not even really seeing her.

"Well if I had to guess I would say throwing a tantrum that most three year olds would envy." She said as she walked off of the last step to come closer to him.

"Mind your own fucking business." The snarl was complete with gnashing teeth.

"Do me a favor Spike and shut the fuck up for once."

Most people would think that it was the empty hollowness of her voice that would have broken through and gotten his attention. They would be wrong. The simple use of the word fuck by the slayer and his jaw seemed to fall open. This time he really looked at her and couldn't help but notice the thermos in one of her hands or the stake in her other. Or the tears that were still streaming down her face.

"Umm. That's better. I like the quiet. You see it kind of is my business being as it’s my things you're destroying. And seeing as you happen to be paralyzed for the moment I'm going to have to clean that mess up. As if I don't have enough to do already with school and my mom and Angelus trying to kill me not too mention your undead ass in my basement. So if you wouldn't mind could you please just stop."

She was walking closer to him and he glanced up into her eyes. They were flat and cold. The emptiness behind them sent a small flutter of worry off in his stomach. He watched as one hand innocently held out the thermos to him while the other tightened the grip on her stake until her knuckles turned white with the pressure.

For a moment he did nothing but watch the silvery tears run down her face. Looked deep into the hollowness of her grass green eyes.

He didn't know what it was. He wasn't sure if he actually felt anything besides the trepidation he got from the stake she held in her hands. Wasn't sure if he felt that he should feel something as he watched her.

Instead she walked even closer to where he sat and put the thermos gently into his hands. The stake held tightly to her side.

She backed up two steps and gave him a considering look.

After a few seconds of her watching him with that curious look in her eyes he couldn't take it anymore and felt the fury rebuild inside of him. On a different level he knew that he was being irrational that the rage he was feeling wasn't directed necessarily at her just his whole situation in general. He was frustrated and hated what he was going through.

But rational thought didn't seem to be what was working for him this night.

"You bleedin' bitch you think you can come in her and threatin' me and walk away. Do you know who I am? You think you gotta shot at takin' out the Big Bad well let me tell you somethin' little girl. I could snap your neck in one of your precious little heartbeats and drink you like you were my own personal fountain. I'm gonna bathe in your blood and crow at the goddamn moon when I hear you rattle out that last breath."

So busy was he with his rant that he failed to notice that he was struggling to his feet in the haze of his anger.

Buffy watched him as he lifted himself up halfway before his knees began to shake with the effort. She heard his words of course but she paid them no mind. There was nothing he could say that would penetrate the thick bubble of pain she was already in. Angelus had given her that tonight.

Instead of reacting to his rant by pulling away and heading up the stairs she lifted him to full standing by grabbing his arms.

"Or maybe you aren't as paralyzed as you think." She stated as she looked up and into his amber eyes.

In disgust he pulled his arms out of her grasp and instantly regretted the rush of his actions as he fell back towards the chair. Of course since he hadn't locked the wheels before standing his weight falling backwards pushed the chair away from him and he crashed to the floor.

She watched dispassionately as he fell to the floor with a loud crash.

"Suit yourself Spike. If you want to spend your immortality tied to that fucking chair at this point I could give a rat's ass." She shrugged down at him. "I told you that I would help you. If you don't want me too let me know I'll be happy to help you out the door. In the meantime I've had a shitty day so if you could stop destroying my home I'll leave you be."

She turned from him bent to scoop up the stake she had dropped while retrieving the thermos that had rolled from Spike's lap. Standing again she sat the thermos on the TV stand and began to walk up the stairs.

The feel of the basement floor rushing to greet him not to mention the jarring of his bones as he smacked against the cement once again let rational thought intrude on his anger.

He wasn't sure what had just happened. Not for him and definitely not for her. The only thing he knew was she hadn't done what he accused her of. The stake had never made a move towards him. For some reason he knew that that wasn't her intention.

If he thought it through it would only make sense for her to come down with the stake after hearing the racket that he had been making.

And truthfully reminding her now that he was going to kill her in his less then stellar condition wasn't too bright on his part. Not only could she just stake him but the thought of her putting him out of her irritating but somehow safe presence and out in a world where he was pretty defenseless was something that put a chill in his system.

He surprised to find he was gasping for air in his attempts to calm down.

Buffy turned back around and glanced down at the heavily breathing form on the floor. Watched as he gazed at her still half dazed from his rage and confusion.

She'd been headed to the stairs when she had heard him roar and the sound of things smashing into the walls. She had retrieved her stake out of her waistband in pure reflex. There was no fear at what she would find downstairs so she just held onto the stake.

The truth was she had been so far on autopilot that she didn't even remember walking down the steps. She knew that she had talked to him but the words were forgotten as soon as they left her. The only thing she knew was that he was disturbing the quiet she had tried to take refuge in. Disturbed it so much that now as she looked at him the real world slammed into her again.

She knew that she should help him up get him off the floor but she couldn't move. Now she remembered the look in his eyes the hatred burning there with his rage before he had fallen.

He didn't trust her.

Well maybe that was the wrong way to phrase it.

He didn't have enough faith in her to help him get through this. Instead he was focused on doing it on his own and in the process frustrating himself to the point where his brain seemed to take a bit of a break in the common sense department. Normally she would just shrug it off. But not now. Not when her mom was going to be back in a few days and the pressing matter of dealing with Angelus should be taking more of a priority. It was all well and good to hide herself in trying to make him better but it was time for her to deal. She'd used his presence as too much of a crutch.

So instead she walked back down the two steps she climbed down and kneeled in front of him before placing the stake on the floor in between them.

"Do you think this is all a game to me?" Her voice never rose it was calm and steady. "I've risked a lot bringing you here. You realize that right? But here's the deal. My mom is coming home soon. No matter what if you are walking or not when that day comes you can't be here. So the choice is up to you. If you don't want to accept my help then get your ass in gear and do it yourself. Either way you have until Sunday night."

He blinked at her first trying to comprehend what she was saying and then to hold back the dread he felt in his heart. He couldn't risk being out there on his own at anything less then full strength. Not with Angelus roaming about. Not if he didn't want to end up the way he was when she had found him in the factory.

He was getting stronger the way he was pulling himself out of the chair earlier had proven that too him. But he was nowhere capable of getting up and walking under his own steam. Before he had told himself that there was time. That he was pushing his own healing because he wanted it. Wanted to get out and away from her. The reality of that he needed it now because she was effectively going to be shoving him out the door in little less then a week was different.

Spike gulped at the icy fear that settled into his heart. He couldn't face Angelus like this. He. Couldn't.

Buffy watched the dawning realization fill his eyes at her words and then saw the fear that settled there. Not that she would tell him she saw it nor would he ever admit to it. But it was present in his eyes nonetheless.

He nodded at her swallowing what was left of his shaky pride before meeting her eyes once more.

"Fine."

One word and Buffy knew what he was asking her. Had to admire the way he didn't show her that he was backing down. Had to give him a nod of silent respect at what the word cost him.
9 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Holy cow it's been a long time since I posted. Unfortunately I have been busy working which I know is so not what I want to be doing. Any way thanks to everyone who is still reading this one and all reviews are greatly appreciated. Thanks for sticking around. Hope you enjoy.
Buffy had wanted to start working on getting him walking that very night but realized she needed to rest as did he. Instead she had helped him resettle on his cot and walked back up the stairs.

Now as she walked down the hall of the emptying school she picked up her pace a bit. If she got home soon enough they could begin with his abbreviated physical therapy before she had to patrol. Then when she got home they could repeat the process. It was going to be a lot and she mentally noted that she should contact Willy and make sure he upped the blood drop off for this week.

She figured with the extra feeding and the constant work on his legs the vamp should be able to be walking a little ahead of their Sunday night deadline.

So she concentrated on that deliberately ignoring the fact that once he was healed she would have to deal with him once again.

The sun was warm on her back as she walked down the familiar streets and she paused for a moment. It was times like this when she missed just being a regular girl. Days when the sun was warm and the only thoughts that should be going through her head would be about school and her friends and clothes and if that cute boy really had been looking at her in class.

Not the healing of one evil master vampire or the thought of staking another who just happened to be the guy she had fallen in love with.

Letting out a deep sigh she started walking again glad that Xander and Willow had been too distracted by their significant others to notice her taking off so quickly. Avoiding Giles was easier all she had to do was make sure she didn't step into the library.

Making her way up to her front door she stopped once again and looked at the world surrounding her. Everything looked so different when it was awash in daylight. A fact she only really noticed when she had become the Slayer. Only noticed when she was forced to go out in the night more often then not.

It was a beautiful day and she was going to spend it and the next few in her basement with Spike.

Her joy knew no bounds.

She turned the door knob and dropped her bag by the stairs. Kicking off her shoes she made her way to the kitchen and pulled out a soda for herself. Moving aside the jug of blood that had become a familiar fixture in her kitchen she rooted around until she found a yogurt to snack on.

Eating it quickly she tossed the empty container in the trash and headed for the stairs.

*********

Spike opened his eyes trying to hold back the groan from awakening to early. The sun wasn't going to set for a lot of hours yet and his internal clock was telling him to let his eyes fall shut once more.

He stretched his upper body lightly holding back a second groan at the soreness in his muscles. The actions he'd taken the night before were making their presence known quite easily.

He was pretty sure there was even a bruise on his back from where he fell but he didn't let that bother him any. Instead he listened quietly to the noises coming from upstairs. Seemed the Slayer was home from school already.

It wasn't with a little apprehension that he waited as he heard her turn the knob of the door above him. She'd acted so distant the night before and frankly more cold than he'd ever seen her. Sure it wasn't like they were all chummy or anything but the Slayer was easy to read. She wore her feelings on her sleeve or she would if the chit wore sleeves most of the time.

The point was the girl he saw last night was not the same one he'd been dealing with since he came to this shit hole town.

And now he was waiting for her to finish coming down the stairs. He'd finally relented to let her help him get up on his own feet literally of course. But he wasn't too happy about it. Thing of it was he was just as nervous about not being here at her house than being there in the first place. He was pretty much damned either way.

There was also one tiny thing she had said the night before. Something that shouldn't have affected him but did anyway.

She'd said that she had brought him here at great risk to herself.

And he knew that she was right. From her little friends to her watcher to her own mum let alone what Angelus would do to her for taking away his favorite play thing. In spite of all these things here he was laid up in her basement. And truth be told the stupid chit had treated him decently.

He wasn't usually one for thinking things through. More rash than practical. But the fact that she was going to toss him out in a few days be it because of circumstances or not had set the wheels spinning in his head. He could be out of here under his own power if he did get off his own ass and do it as she put it. It was going to require him to use just as much effort even with her here. So he had a choice. He could save his pride and keep up the protective blathering he did when someone got too close or he could just drop it.

He wasn't thinking of doing anything overly friendly just trying to take the sting out of the words he did use though might just help get them both through the rest of this.

And afterwards? Well then he could kill her and he wouldn't have to worry about it.

*********

"Spike." She greeted him flatly.

"Slayer." He gave her a slight nod it was as friendly a greeting as they would ever give.

"You ready? Or do you think you should feed first?" She asked eyeing the thermos.

Like to be feeding from you. The thought popped in his head but he fought the urge to say it.

"Should work a bit first." Was what he responded instead.

She shrugged and tossed her ponytail. "Whatev." She moved down to the foot of the cot and prepared to grab one of his ankles.

Grabbing him firmly she wrapped her hand around the sole of his foot.

"When I push against you push back with everything you got. Ready?"

She didn't wait for a reply instead she pushed his foot bending his knee back towards him.

Spike pushed back gritting his teeth against the strength of her own push.

Buffy watched his face closely looking for signs of pain and saw none. Watched as he strained with the effort and felt the slight resistance against her hand. In her head Buffy counted to sixty.

"Okay now we switch."

*********

They worked in near silence for forty-five minutes only broken by Buffy's quick instructions. Spike kept with his promise to himself and held every snarky comment that came to mind. And without the added aggravation Buffy was civil to him in return.

Instead he concentrated on the quivering that had started in his muscles. The pain was gone at least but his legs now felt like rubber and he was glad that he was laying down because he knew they wouldn't support his weight even if she was holding him up.

Buffy watched his chest rise and fall for a moment with his panting breaths knowing that they had done as much as they could for now. She let go of his leg and made her way to the tray to pick up his thermos.

"I'll be right back." She tossed the words over her shoulder as she made her way up the steps.

He was thankful that she had left him alone for the moment. Letting loose a deep sigh of exhaustion he relaxed his body into the cot. He didn't know if the things she was doing to his legs was going to help or not but he had to admit when they weren't baiting each other she didn't grate on his nerves half as much. It wasn't hard for him to hold his tongue when she had done the same in return.

He was startled back to himself when she bounded back down the stairs.

"You rest for awhile and when I come back from patrol we can start over." Buffy set the thermos down and began to walk back to the stairs her mind already focused on which cemeteries to hit tonight.

He didn't bother to respond as she slipped back up the stairs. His eyes just tracked her retreating figure until she disappeared through the door.

Quickly uncapping the thermos he guzzled down the sweet elixir feeling the familiar rush as it sped through his long dead system.

Setting the thermos down he suddenly had to fight to keep his eyes open. The workout she had just given him had tired him out more then he had thought.

Stretching once more he let sleep claim him again.

*********

The last two days passed in a near copy of the first. She had rushed home after school so they could work on strengthening exercises on his legs and then she went on patrol. When she got back they started again this time with her helping him to his feet so he could put pressure on his legs.

Each time they did this he stayed up on his own just a bit longer.

Buffy was pleased with the progress knowing that he was just a bit shy of walking on his own. In fact she hadn't been pushing him as hard as she could have letting him discover his strength on his own. She didn't know why she did this but she was reluctant to do anything else to diminish his already wounded pride.

Spike was nothing if not a proud creature and to see him so broken did something to her emotionally. Not that she wanted to dwell on what that was. But she kept from doing anything that would continue him on that downward slide.

And with each small accomplishment she could see the old cocky Spike start to shimmer in his eyes.

He hadn't said anything snarky or otherwise about it but she knew it was there under the surface. In fact she had noticed that since their little confrontation he hadn't been saying a whole hell of a lot. The snarky Spike seemed to be on vacation and while she was grateful he wasn't seeming to goad her she kind of missed it. He had a quick wit and verbally sparring with him was one of the perks of a Spike and Buffy fight. None of her other enemies had been near as good at getting to her as he had.

It wasn't like she didn't know how weird she was being. She was fully aware of it. It was just she was starting to get this really antsy feeling deep in her gut. Soon Spike would be literally walking away from her and she would lose the control she had over the situation. He would be free to do what he wanted. And then there was the fact that all was quiet on the Angelus front which couldn't be good news.

Things were starting to come to a head and she wasn't sure just which side it was going to work out on.

********

Buffy let out a deep sigh as she headed down the basement steps. Patrol tonight had been brutal. She had staked no less then seven vamps and tackled an icky slime demon.

It was really one of the grossest experiences of her slaying career.

So she'd showered and changed and beaten and exhausted she was headed down to the basement to see if she could get Spike up on his feet.

What she wanted to do instead was crawl into her nice comfy bed and sleep for like a week. Or two.

Her foot hit the floor of the basement and she held back a second sigh.

She took in the reclining position of the man in her basement and fought off another sigh. He was getting stronger. Something she wasn't sure he realized. Buffy knew that it was only a matter of hours before he was up and out the front door.

Which only lead to a bunch of thoughts she really didn't have the energy to entertain.

His blue gaze fell on her and she fought to keep her confusion from showing in her eyes. The problem with Spike was that he was rarely fooled by the indifferent mask she wore. Not that he had mentioned anything but she could read it in his eyes. He caught everything in that steely gaze. And while she felt incredibly vulnerable when he looked at her like that there wasn't anything that she could say.

The peaceful interactions between them for the last few days didn't have her fooled into feeling secure with him. Instead her weariness was kicked up a few notches. Not because he felt hostile but because the lack of confrontation made him feel too human.

That wasn't a good thing.

It was better for her to forget such thoughts and she attempted to do that as she approached the cot.

Spike had been busy watching the emotions flicker through her green eyes. He wasn't sure what they were but they passed quickly before the mask she wore to shield herself dropped. He was used to seeing it by now but internally he wished she wouldn't hide this way from him.

Which in turn pissed him off because why the hell should he care what she was feeling.

As she stepped closer to the cot he maneuvered himself into sitting with his legs draped over the cot.

"All ready Slayer?"

Buffy stopped in front of him and reached for his hands. They'd both decided to leave off on the strengthening exercises and concentrate on getting him walking.

He reached his hands out and took hers in a firm grip. Taking a deep breath he nodded before she used her own strength to help him to his feet. He stood a little shakily at first and she moved closer to him allowing him to use her for balance.

She never directly reached out just put herself in a position to help him if need be. Once they were both sure of his footing she began to back up a bit.

Still connected by there hands but standing with there arms outstretched between them she looked into his eyes.

With another silent nod she let go.

Spike had to admit the sensation of standing on his own wasn't gonna get old anytime soon. Looking across to the petite blond in front of him he watched her eyes flick over his erect form and wait patiently. She must have read something in his own gaze because she backed up two more steps and again began to wait.

Buffy was nearly holding her breath in anticipation. This was going to be a huge turning point and she had to let the sadness she was feeling wash over her. She didn't want to explain it but she couldn't deny the feeling instead she just accepted it and waited for him to begin to move.

A second deep breath and he was picking up his left floor before moving it forward a few inches. Bringing it down he felt his knee start to give and tightened his jaw.

Buffy started to rush forward to catch him as she watched his knee begin to give way.

Gaining control he locked his knee and gave the girl a look.

She saw the determination in his eyes and stopped in her tracks. She watched as he stood straighter and repeated the process with his right foot. This time the stride was stronger. He did it again with the left and she backed up two more steps to give him more room.

Spike couldn't concentrate on anything but moving each of his limbs. One after the other until he noticed that the Slayer was up against the stairs. Still a few feet in front of him but watching him with a sad little smile.

And that was when it occurred to him.

He was walking.

"Bloody hell." The whispered words seemed to break through his concentration and he knew he had finally done it.

He was fucking walking.

"Bloody hell!" He yelled letting out a short bark of laughter.

Unfortunately such a break in his concentration was enough for his left knee to have it's own ideas.

His knee buckled underneath him and he began to fall.

Buffy smiled tightly at his joy before she noticed the shaking in his left leg. Not waiting a second she used her Slayer speed to step in front of him and grab him around the waist.

He caught his hands on her shoulders using her to regain his balance as she caught his weight.

"You okay?" She turned her gaze up at him her green eyes searching his quietly.

The feeling of actually having to look up at him was a bit unsettling and this time she watched a flicker of some strange emotion pass through his eyes. She really didn't want to try to analyze what it was.

He looked down into the Slayer's eyes and had to suddenly fight the urge to hug the girl. He quickly let it pass knowing it was because he was absolutely giddy with the idea that he could walk. It had nothing to do with looking into the deepest green pools he'd ever seen.

"Okay?" He shook his head. "I'm fucking walkin' it's fan-fucking-tastic!" He wasn't quite shouting but the volume of his voice was anything but quiet.

"Yeah. So?" Buffy moved her hand from his waist and gestured back to the cot.

Spike suddenly had to fight the weird feeling of missing her touch on his waist. Maybe it was the feeling of warmth from her hand but he noticed it the second it was gone.

Instead he focused and looked back at the girl.

"Okay return trip then." He let go of her shoulders and used his foot to pivot around.

This time the knee held and with more confidence he began to walk back to the cot.

She followed closely behind him this time not trying to hide the emotions in her eyes. He couldn't see her from behind.

This was it and she was still getting mixed emotions about it.

In a way she was damn proud to have helped him reach this point. The vampire in front of her was not the same one she had rescued from the factory a few weeks ago.

And another part of her was feeling just this side of devastated. Would all the work they had done be for nothing the second he tried to kill her? The thought of staking him wasn't one she wanted to entertain anymore but her reality was that she was the Slayer and he was a killer. It was her duty to take him out.

And here she was watching him walking under his own power helped there by her own hands. Hands that most likely in the near future would be holding his death in her hands.

It caused such a feeling of melancholy in her that she had to fight back a sob.

She knew she shouldn't care. That nothing good could come about carrying about the well being of this or any other vampire. But the fact was she did care. She couldn't have done this if she didn't.

But it didn't matter.

None of it did. When the day came that she found out that he was feeding or he tried to kill her she knew she'd do what she had to. Just like she was going to do with Angelus.

He had reached the cot and she fought to regain her equilibrium. The last thing she needed was for him to see this side of her. She took a deep breath and waited for him to turn around.

Spike couldn't fight the smile that was spread across his face. Even with the unaccustomed strain on his muscles he felt so free and so strong that he wanted to shout it out to the world. He held it in however even if he was wearing the biggest smile he'd ever felt.

He turned away from the cot in time to catch the flicker of sadness on the Slayer's face before she once again closed herself off to him.

This time he clamped down on the flutter of concern he felt for the girl. He wasn't even going to entertain the though about giving a damn about the Slayer. Not in a million years.

She gave him a tight smile before she spoke.

"Well if you're okay on your own I'll just head up and get you something to eat." For the last time. She added in her mind.

At the mention of eating he looked at the Slayer once again startled to find that now even though he would have been capable of taking a bite out of her that he didn't want too.

He reasoned it was the high of walking that did it. Plus she was going to be bringing him something. Why bother trying to take her out.

She was up the stairs before she'd even finished talking.

He shrugged at that and walked across the basement floor a few more times before she came back down. This time he stopped and waited for her to hand him the familiar thermos.

She had taken her time getting his blood prepared letting her conflicting emotions free reign while out of his observing eyes. She'd been tempted to have a good cry from it all but held it in knowing he would have been able to tell. Buffy placed the thermos in his outstretched hand before she looked up at him once again.

"You should probably get some rest and try again later. I'm gonna go to bed." She turned to head out of the basement.

Spike was unsure what was going through the Slayer's mind. Not that he thought he had a whole lot of insight into what made the infuriating chick work but there was something going through her mind that was troubling her. And before he knew it he was calling out to her.

"Slayer?"

She looked at him and Buffy could see the question in his eyes.

"I'm glad your walking Spike. We'll talk tomorrow." She gave him one more glance and went up the basement stairs.
10 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hey know its been awhile. Took a little longer for this section to work itself out but I wanted the feel of it to be just right. Thanks to all of you who have reviewed. Please keep telling me what you think and keep in my mind that we have quite a way to go with these two. We're only getting started. Thanks again!
As the early Saturday morning light began to filter in through her window Buffy had to fight the urge to groan. It was the weekend for cripes sake. For once couldn't she manage to sleep in?

Instead she could feel her brain already making conscious thoughts and soon they would drift to the bleached wonder in her basement.

And while she knew that he would be sleeping during the day she wasn't looking forward to the evening. With the fall of darkness the cards of her life were going to be shuffled again. Would she still be dealt a losing hand?

Okay so her thoughts were getting totally corny. It could just be the stress. Besides it didn't matter.

What did was that very soon like sometime within the next twenty-four hours Spike was going to be free once again.

The thought was not comforting in the slightest.

*******************

After a morning of trying to find something to occupy herself that would prevent her brain from making all those little speeches she'd finally given in and called Willow to meet her at the mall. Besides she hadn't been spending as much time with her friends as she should have as of late.

The afternoon was light and fun and as a bonus there wasn't any sign of previous damage to her favorite place after her little incident with the Judge.

She'd had a good time and even though normally her and Willow would go back to her house and watch a few videos she was glad that she hadn't had to lie to her friend. Seemed Willow's mom wanted them to have a dinner of some kind at home. So instead they parted ways at the mall a good two hours before dusk.

Now she was walking back home her few meager purchases clutched in her right hand. It was nice for her to have the distraction but with Willow's absence the feelings and thoughts she tried to forget came crashing back.

Buffy would have thought after all the months of Angel now being Angelus that the pain would somehow be less of a surprise. Yet every time she allowed herself the moment to forget and the pain came crashing back it was like it was new all over again. She'd thought that the time itself would help her heart heal from all the pain the damn vampire had caused her but it didn't seem to be happening.

With the pain came the bitter disappointment in herself and the overwhelming guilt. It was so much worse then the pain. To know how responsible she was for everything that had happened to her friends in the last few months was more devastating then anything Angelus could ever do to her directly.

Right on the heels of her self flagellation came the deep dread and fear that was to accompany the rest of the weekend. Her mom's flight would be landing early Monday morning. There was little that could be done about that. Not that she didn't miss her mom or love her any less but the reappearance of her lone parental figure only meant that the demon currently residing in her basement was going to retake his place in her life.

That of her mortal enemy.

It wasn't like they had gotten close or anything during his little visit. The only difference in the way they interacted from normal was the lack of barbs they threw at each other during the last few days. Other then that and the fact that her physical touch hadn't had any intention of harming him the way they dealt with each other had not changed.

Still she couldn't help the feeling of disappointment that seemed to overwhelm her whenever she thought about Spike and the time he was going to leave.

Maybe it was the feeling that she wasn't so alone when he was around. It wasn't like he wasn't going through his own heartbreak no matter that they never talked about it.

She knew that he truly loved Drusilla there wasn't any way to deny that fact. Not after she had seen his reactions to her holding Drusilla hostage in the vampire club. No Dru had been the vampire's whole world. Her betrayal had to be even worse then what she felt for Angel because deep down she was sure it hadn't been the souled vampire's choice. And now that he was without the soul she couldn't hold that against the man that he used to be.

But for Spike that was different. He had to know that Drusilla made a conscious choice to pursue Angel and to stay with him even though the vampire who had stayed with her for over a century was injured and needed her.

No out of the two of them she was pretty sure he was suffering worse.

Maybe that was why she hadn't hesitated to help him after she found him so mistreated in the factory. She didn't know for sure but it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities.

She stopped at the edge of the park. The same one where she had watched the first moments of Angel's reunion with his childe after a hundred years. Now she just stared at the same play area a distant look in her eyes wishing once again for things to be different. For them to be as simple as her life had once been back before she knew of the things that went bump in the night. Spent another few minutes wasting them away with useless wishes.

Her life was what it was.

Walking slowly over she sat in a swing and pushed herself letting the stillness that seemed to take over the city just before dark wash over her.

Here as the sun began to make its slow but sure descent towards the horizon she let the stillness calm her once more jangled nerves. Let the night bring with it the heightened senses that the Slayer package had graced her with.

She let the slow gentle rocking of the swing soothe her troubled thoughts and let her mind calm for once. Here she could spend a small amount of time just being. Not thinking or feeling or trying to find her way through the confusing twists and turns of her life. Here she just was for the moment.

Blinking slowly she took in the hushed sounds of insects and birds as they settled in before the dark over took them. The gentle chirp of crickets added to the back drop as the bright light turned a rosy hue before beginning to dim.

She knew she had to return home soon the now mobile vampire in her house wasn't going to be very patient. Yet here she sat delaying the inevitable if only for a few moments more.

***********

Spike came awake slowly letting the peacefulness of sleep drift away. He was flooded with the awareness of his own heightened senses that the night always brought with them. Here now was when he reveled in his unlife. The feeling of power that hummed through his veins before the evenings festivities began.

He'd missed the hunt. Missed the thrill that being the predator he was brought.

Now he had it back.

The knowledge that he was no longer a slave to his useless legs left a tiny thrill to shoot up his spine. He was in control once again and that brought a smirk to his lips.

No longer would he have to sit and wait in the Slayer's basement for her to come to him. Now he was going to take charge once again. She would be dealing with him on his own terms.

Sitting up right he looked around and saw that for once there was no thermos waiting for him. That was a good thing. The bloody chit was not going to coddle him any longer apparently. It only meant they were going to get back to the natural order of things. Back to being mortal enemies.

Although that would be slightly easier if she was actually in the house. The lack of noise upstairs told him that she wasn't there though. He wondered what she was playing at knowing that he was able to get around now. She had mentioned talking to him but he was sure it was only a preliminary threat before he left the house.

He couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking though. He'd caught the sadness in her eyes the night before but was unsure just what it was in reaction to.

Not that he gave a damn mind you. No right this second he was wondering where his normal clothes were so he could start the process of getting his Dru back.

He'd walked to the dryer when he heard the front door finally open.

*************

She'd finally made her way back home once the sun had set fully. Opening the front door she clicked on the light in the living room before making her way to the kitchen and grabbing a soda. Drink in hand she went back to the couch and sat down.

Buffy knew that she wasn't going to go down to the basement. Not until he was gone and she removed any trace of him there.

No this time she was going to let him come to her.

In a way it was like making sure that this was it. Letting him meet her on his own terms. She was sure that this was the last night they would set eyes on each other without the death threats. Well besides the ones she was going to tell him on the way out.

From here on out she was going to file the vamp in his designated slot. Killer. Mortal enemy. There was no place for him anywhere else in her mind. Not when she had to deal with the consequences of letting the last vamp out of that box.

She didn't have to wait long. Five minutes after she had taken a seat she heard the basement door open. Buffy watched patiently as he walked into the room the enemy she'd known for months once more in her presence.

He was redressed in his usual black jeans and t-shirt, black combat boots once again encasing his feet. The hard flinty look in his eyes and the smirk on his lips replacing the confusion and fear she had seen there so often in recent weeks.

It seemed the big bad was really back.

Somewhere in her chest there was tight squeezing pain but she refused to acknowledge it.

"Slayer."

This was it the moment that she knew would happen and yet wished in a thousand different ways wouldn't.

Standing she made her way to the other side of the coffee table.

Buffy knew that her greeting would set the stage for the rest of this talk and she wondered if she was making the right decision. But she was helpless to stop the path she was on.

"Vampire."

In that moment Spike knew that whatever semi truce the two of them had shared while she took in his healing body was now over.

"I'm going to kill you, you know." He told her before letting his demon bleed into his eyes.

"You're going to try. Doesn't mean you'll succeed." She dropped her hands to her hips and glared back at him her green eyes narrowing on him.

"Well aren't we cocky." He tucked his tongue behind his teeth before smirking at her.

She let that one go not willing to get into the whole innuendo fight with him.

"Still got the numbers on my side. Killed two of your kind." He stepped closer to her just enough for her to tense a bit more at his presence.

"And I've killed hundreds of yours." This time she approached him slipping the stake out of her waistband before twirling it in front of him.

Now Spike wasn't an idiot. True he mostly acted without thinking but that didn't mean he couldn't. And right now he knew that a direct fight with the Slayer was out of the question. Yes he was walking and yes he could potentially fight. But not enough to best a Slayer. Especially this one. It was all about knowing his own limitations.

He decided that it was better if he didn't rile her up anymore then she already was.

"True but it only takes one doesn't it?" And yet his mouth continued to work independently of his brain.

"So are you going to stand there and threaten me all day or what?" She gave him her best bored look even though she knew to keep her eyes on him. He may not be in top shape but a little slip for her could be all the advantage he would need.

There was no need to remind herself just how deadly he was. She could see the predator in the glint of his eyes in the taut lines of his body.

"As I recall you were the one who wanted to talk." This time he retreated a step letting her know that there was no immediate threat.

She took in his more relaxed stance and the step out of her personal space.

"Just to make a couple of things clear." She said shortly before she too took a step back.

He gave her a slight nod. Spike had to admit he was kind of curious about what she had in mind anyway.

"First off no one finds out about this." She stated as she placed her hands on her hips.

"Like I want info like this to get out. Have you gone totally daft Slayer? Bloody ruin my reputation."

"Second once you're out that door you're fair game. I find you feeding or you try to hurt me or my friends I will dust you."

"Same goes for me Slayer. I find you on the street I'll drain you."

"Fair enough." She said with a sigh.

This time she looked into his blue eyes and watched him carefully.

"Besides that what I told you still stands. As long as I don't catch Drusilla out and she stays away from my friends I won't dust her."

This caused Spike's eyes to widen. He hadn't thought that she would remember her little statement about Dru. Or even if she did that she would be willing to keep the same deal now that he was free.

She watched his reaction and had to stifle a giggle. The way his eyes bulged was almost cartoon like and she had to keep from patting herself on the back just on his response alone.

"But remember this. I am going after Angelus. As far as I'm concerned he's already dust. If I was you I'd collect your precious Dru and get the hell out of town. Anyone who gets in my way is going to go the way of the dodo."

"Don't think I'm through enjoyin' what this little burg has to offer yet."

She let his eyes finish roving over her form before it settled on her neck with a look of fierce hunger.

"It's your funeral." She said as she shrugged at him. "Or hers." This time she took the first step towards him. "Like I said before Spike you aren't a prisoner here. If you want to leave you're more then welcome. I only have one stipulation." She crossed her arms over her chest before giving him her most determined glare.

"And what would that be luv?" He couldn't help tucking his thumbs into his belt loops and letting his hands frame the apex of his jeans.

Buffy ignored the placement of his hands. She wasn't going to fall for any of his easy to read goading tactics. Not tonight.

"Simple. You feed from the rest of the blood I have left in the house before you go. It's enough for at least two feedings."

She didn't elaborate further but than Spike didn't need her too.

"Tryin' to keep me from feedin'?"

She was unashamed of her tactic. After all it was her conscience that she was going to have to live with once he left. Knowing that each death he caused would be her responsibility just as each life Angelus took was hers as well.

Spike thought about refusing for a moment just out of spite. Sure the blood she had been feeding him hadn't been bad. Seriously after the swill he had been getting from Angelus it was damn good. But it was still bagged blood. What he wanted, what he craved was the hunt itself. The adrenaline of finding his prey the scent of their fear on the air before the kill was made. That was what he needed.

However fighting the Slayer about this may not work in his favor.

"What if I told you no?" He again took a step towards her

"Than instead of you walking out that door I simply vacuum you off my living room floor." She tapped the end of her stake impatiently against her folded arm.

"Makin' me full isn't gonna stop me." Spike let his eyes narrow in a cold glare.

"Let me explain this to you just a bit. You feed from what's here and then you leave. Meanwhile I'm going to patrol and you'd be taking your chances against me finding you before you could have your first victim." She narrowed her own eyes at him.

"And?" He asked blatantly before taking another small step towards her.

"And-" She stressed. "We both know that as of right now I could take you without much of a fight."

Buffy hadn't wanted to voice that particular truth to him out loud for some reason. She wasn't sure if it was to protect his wounded pride or because she just wasn't sure if it was right to play that card. But it seemed that he needed to hear it from her.

He stopped his advance on her and tilted his head in consideration. The words themselves angered him. He wasn't at his top form true but even he wasn't thinking that she was going to bring it up. And while she had made it a statement of fact said without any particular malice the hurt wounded pride that he had wasn't going to be able to take that sentence without comment.

"Is that what you think Slayer? That I'm some easy mark right now that you need to take pity on?" He took another step closer to her. "Got news for you little girl. Maybe I'm not as weak as you seem to believe."

Buffy fought the urge to gulp at the fire that burned in his eyes. She knew she was right but damn when he wanted to Spike could be damned intimidating.

"Maybe, maybe not." She shrugged. "Doesn't matter I could still take you. Just stating it like it is." This time she took a small step back not in fear just to bring the hostility down a notch or two.

Spike snorted at her comment. She was always one to talk big.

"I guess we'll have to wait and see about that huh Slayer?" There was never any question of him accepting her stipulation but he wasn't going to make it easy for her.

Buffy raised a brow in his direction before seeing that the moment had passed.

"I suppose so." She moved away from him and walked towards the kitchen effectively ending the conversation and turning her back on him.

The move grated on Spike. There was a time when no enemy would dare turn their back on him to afraid of what he might do. And here this little slip of a girl was walking away from him like she hadn't a care in the world. He'd about had all he could take from her annoying presence.

She walked quickly to her fridge trying not to concentrate on the fact that Spike was behind her. It was a bold move she knew but one she was hoping would give him the impression that she wasn't concerned about his presence in the slightest. It would be a lie of course but she wanted him to have the feeling that even though she'd nursed him back to health that she was still unafraid of him. Just as she had been during his convalescence.

As she placed her hand on the handle of the door and started to pull it open she was surprised by it slamming closed before Spike spun her and pinned her to the fridge.

"You shouldn't underestimate your enemies. Leads to all kinds of badness." He smirked at her before he vamped.

Buffy knew that the first thing she should have felt was fear but it wasn't. Instead her body sung with pain as though he had somehow betrayed her. Of course it didn't last long before an all consuming rage rushed through her.

Gathering her strength she stomped on his foot and brought her fist up to his nose in one move effectively making him stumble away from her.

"Bloody hell!" The exclamation was quickly followed by trying to protect his nose from further injury.

"I guess you would speak from experience." She turned and threw open the refrigerator door before throwing four blood bags at his chest.

"Feed and get out before I change my mind."

This time Spike took in the fury burning in her green eyes and decided for once that retreat was a good idea.

Buffy watched him carefully as his features never shifted back to his human form. After he stared at her for a second he took one of the bags and sunk his fangs in.

For some reason watching him feed didn't seem to bother her as much as she thought it would. Maybe it was because unlike Angel, Spike had almost always presented himself in game face to her. She was just as familiar with the demon's face as she was now with his human mask. It made her never forget first and foremost that he was a vampire.

Whatever the reason she wasn't as squicked as she thought she would be. It was a good thing really it let her concentrate on what he was doing and didn't leave her open for another attack.

Spike fought the urge to shudder at the cold blood and had to wonder if he hadn't followed his instincts and rushed her if she would have heated it up for him. She'd always served it warm to him before. He finished the second bag before sinking his fangs into the third. All the while not letting his amber eyes leave the small form in front of him.

He had to wonder at her impulse control. She must really believe in what she was doing to not stake him after he tried that move on her. It surprised him that all he got was a sore foot and a sore nose. As he tossed away the empty bag he picked up the fourth one.

Buffy tapped her foot impatiently as she watched him feed from the last bag. Stake held loosely at her side she fought the urge to tell him to hurry up. She was more then agitated his move to pin her against the fridge throwing her off balance. Not to mention the mixed feelings she had about it and this whole thing in the first place. She watched him crumple the last bag before he slammed it down on the islander.

Spike licked his lips collecting whatever stray blood may have gathered there and fought the urge to say anything. Lord knew that he wasn't really scoring any points orally lately.

Holding in a sigh to help settle her nerves she brushed past him to the kitchen door before holding it open. Turning towards him she gave him the coldest look she could manage.

"Remember what I said. I meant every word. Now get the hell out of my house."

He walked to the door and through it without acknowledging her words but stopped as he reached the porch. He stood there with his back to her and she shrugged not knowing why he stopped. She began to close the door and watched him until barely a sliver of it was left open.

The quiet words drifted in just as the door clicked shut and she pressed her back to it before closing her eyes and letting out a deep sigh.

"Thank you Slayer."
11 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
well hello there. I struggled a bit with this chappie knowing that I would need to include oc interaction where before Buffy and Spike were both in their own little universe. Just remember we are still dealing with season two Spike and still even if a slightly smarter version a season two Buffy.

Now there is some dialogue from becoming part one and of course the credit for that goes to Joss who penned the episode. What can I say some of the dialogue is to perfect to change. Even if you do change the subtext in regards to the characters.

Please I just want to thank all of you who have taken the time to read this and also the many of you who take the time to review. And while writing for the bstv universe has become my favorite past time rl just doesn't always cooperate. So I'm writing as fast as I can and just want to thank you all again for sticking with me.
He wasn't sure why he let the quiet words slip past his lips. It wasn't due to any conscious thought.

But there wasn't time for him to dwell on that he needed to search out where his sire was now holed up since the Watcher had torched the factory. A fact he'd only known by overhearing the Slayer's little merry band.

Spike knew that Angelus would have picked the place and since his grand sire was a pompous bastard it would probably be something horribly pretentious. The old git would hardly keep himself in an abandoned factory or a crypt. No Angelus would only deal with the finer things in life.

He walked quietly off the Slayer's back porch desperately trying not to think of exactly what he was going to do now. Other then the fact that he could walk on his own he had no idea what he was going to do about getting his love away from the poofter.

He had all the time in the world to figure it out later.

************

Buffy managed to spend a quiet Sunday at home cleaning her mother's house before her return. The hum of the dishwasher and later the vacuum cleaner followed by the washer and the dryer were all the noise needed to distract her from thinking about anything that had happened in the past few months.

There was nothing to do about any of it now just a need for her to concentrate on her little Angelus problem. Everything else would now be blocked out of her subconscious except of course the fact that the semester was ending and she had finals to take.

After taking a quick patrol where she didn't encounter any vamps she knew she curled up on the couch in some sweats grabbed some ice cream and put in a few movies to keep herself focused on not thinking.

Thinking was overrated any way she was sure. There was no point on questioning any of her actions or doubting in her judgments. Besides maybe for once everything would work out.

She should have remembered that they were living on the hellmouth.

*****************

Spike spent the next night trailing the faint scent of his sire through the small town. Her feeding habits being what they were he wasn't surprised as his nose took him past the park and other little tyke attractions. He'd spent the last four hours roaming up and down the streets sniffing discreetly and keeping his eyes open for his grandsire and the blond bint.

Neither was someone he wanted to run into. Instead the night was mostly quiet. And the only encounter he had was with a willowy coed in a dark alley. The meal itself was on the small side but the anticipation had made it all the sweeter. The fresh taste of tapped blood combined with the girl's fear was intoxicating to say the least. Especially after months of bagged blood human or not.

It was in the early hours of the morning that he found himself on the dark quiet street. The neighborhood was filled with darkened large houses now mostly unused. Both the scent of his sire and the poofter were much stronger and he could feel the slight pull of his link with his dark goddess. Not that she was acknowledging it at all.

Spike had no illusions about where he stood in his wicked plum's unlife. Not anymore. After one hundred years of being her slave and being at her beck and call meant nothing. He was and would always be second best to his grandsire.

Which was why he had to get the irritating bastard out of the way.

Once Dru realized her precious daddy was gone for good she would have no choice but to accept him as her love.

It was all really simple.

He didn't care what it took. What it would cost him. But that bastard was going to pay.

Stopping in front of the brown stucco mansion he turned to walk behind the home using every bit of the stealth being a vampire gave him. He moved silently slipping around the back to a window he could peer in.

There wasn't much for him to see the room before him was large and open but there was no one in it. He assumed the two he was looking for were in one of the bedrooms. It was enough to know that this was where they were staying at least for now.

********************
"This is good right? I mean we can curse him again." Cordelia asked.

Buffy wasn't sure what she felt about the disk that Willow held in her hand. On one hand simply putting the soul back in Angelus would make him less of a threat. And really how easy would that be. Not having to fight him.

On the other hand so much had happened since he became Angelus that she was unsure that even with his soul restored that she would be able to look him in the eye ever again.

It wasn't so much the things he had said to her.

It wasn't for the way he had frightened and threatened everyone that she loved.

It wasn't even for the fact that he had violated her by sneaking in her room disrobing her and sinking his fangs in her neck.

But the death of Jenny Calendar and the pain it had caused Giles was something that she could never forget.

And as disturbing as the thought was she was unsure she could ever forget how her once love had treated Spike when he was at his most dependant and harmless.

Those facts bothered her the most and as much as she would like to pretend that she didn't have to deal just yet that there was a little bit of time. She knew different.

"Um well it certainly points that way but the ritual itself requires a greater knowledge of the black arts than I can claim." She looked at her Watcher worriedly.

And while Willow and Giles debated the threat of the magics involved in the spell she couldn't help but surround herself in her conflicting emotions. The fact that patrol last night had not met with a run in from any of the three vamps bothered her. There was also the certain guilt she felt. Down deep some small part of her knew that the arrival of sunset this night had seen Spike claim his first kill in months. A kill she was now responsible for.

Just as she was for Jenny's death.

Her reassurance to Willow felt hollow even to herself.

Which was all the more reason why Xander's words jarred her so much.

"Hi! For those of you who have just tuned in, everyone here is a crazy person. So this spell might restore Angel's humanity? Well here's an interesting angle. Who cares?"

The words left her best friend with such harsh bitterness she was pained to hide the flinch they caused.

"I care." Was all that she could answer him with. She didn't know how to explain any of this to him. Not when she knew he wouldn't understand anyway.

"Is that right?"

Again the words were full of scorn and she felt herself shrink more on the inside.

"Let's not lose our perspective here, Xander." Giles as always was trying to be the voice of reason.

Buffy took in the shocked look of her friend as she stared at Xander. Looking closely at Giles she could see how startled he was at Xander's words too. But underneath that she could see the truth.

Oh he could talk a good game. And he was good with the words that would reassure her. But deep down even he blamed her. Not that she could have controlled the fact that Angelus had lost his soul in the first place. No she wasn't responsible directly for that. But it was her that hadn't killed Angelus when she had the chance. It was her that had left him free to wreak havoc on an unsuspecting populace and left him free to kill the woman her watcher had fallen in love with.

"I'm perspective Guy. Angel's a killer." Buffy felt helpless as her friends usually warm brown eyes hit hers with a bruising intensity she couldn't hide from.

Willow shook her head slightly before speaking. "Xander...."

"It's not that simple." The words came out a harsh whisper around the lump in her throat that she fought against.

"What? All is forgiven? I can't believe you people." His shout of disbelief tore at her heart a bit more.

"Xander has a point." The quiet words came from Cordelia as she stood next to him.

She watched as he turned to Cordelia.

"You know just for once I wish you'd support me and I realize right now that you were and I’m embarrassed so I’m gonna get back to the point Which is that Angel needs to die.

Curing Angel seems to have been Jenny's last wish." the quiet words from her Watcher made her flinch once again.

It was funny how no one noticed.

"Yeah well Jenny's dead."

None of the girls could hold back the quiet gasps at the harsh words.

"Don't you ever speak of her in that tone again!" Buffy watched as the man she loved like a father rounded on her best friend.

She watched helplessly as Xander held his ground against the older man.

"Can't you hear what I’m saying?" He yelled back.

As their voices began to rise in hostility towards one another Buffy felt something snap deep inside of her.

"STOP IT! STOP IT!" She pushed against both of them trying to keep the two men in her life separated.

The moment seemed to freeze and everyone just stopped and stared at each other the pain and anger plain to read on each face in front of her.

She panted hard trying to reign in her runaway thoughts the pain that was overtaking her body. She stepped away from them seeking the only shelter she knew of in the room. Turning desperate eyes towards Willow she knew that soon even this harbor would be denied her.

"What do you want to do?" Willow asked her quietly a soothing hand dropping to her shoulder.

"I don't know. What happened to Angel wasn't his fault." This much she was certain. If any one was at fault for what happened to Angel it was Drusilla. Buffy was sure of that. Even if her own negligence had helped the demented vampiress to get the opportunity to take Angel's soul it was still the direct fault of Spike's Sire.

"Yeah but what happened to Miss Calendar is." Xander's bitter voice made all of them flinch.

Buffy stared at her friend unable to form a coherent thought let alone enough words to make intelligent speech come from her mouth.

"You can paint this any way you want but it seems like you just want to forget about Ms. Calendar's murder just so you can get your boyfriend back."

This time there was no masking the hurt on her face. No it was etched there as surely as if she had been made of granite. Which would have been better because at least stone couldn't feel.

She was unable to get around the lump in her throat so that she could make Xander understand. Unable to think clearly enough to express to him why re-ensouling the rampaging vampire was important.

Was unable to make him understand that although at one time she had loved him she couldn't look into his face any more and not see the monster inside.

Instead she pushed her way through the library doors.

*****************

She had been restless ever since she had left the library and while talking to Willow and getting her support had helped some she still couldn't get passed the hurt Xander's words had caused her.

There was no doubt that she would do her duty if need be with Angelus. She had a firm resolve that she was going to kill the vamp.

No the hurt came from the fact that Xander believed what he said. That he thought she was so callus and cold hearted that she would do all this to let a murder back in their lives.

He was so wrong.

Buffy knew she was just being realistic.

Chances were when everything went down Angelus was not only going to have minions for back up.

No there were still two other Master Vampires in Sunnydale. And while fighting to protect Angelus probably wasn't high on Spike's priority list defending Drusilla was. As for the psycho ho vamp well she was just guessing that she'd be right by her precious daddy's side.

In other words the deck was seriously stacked against her and she knew it.

The curse was a good bet to even out the odds.

************

Buffy moved silently through the dark scenery of the park stake held firmly in her hand.

Unfortunately now that she had a plan, well sort of, for Angelus her troubled thoughts drifted. Drifted right to a certain bleached evil vamp.

With the acknowledgement of his existence came the never ending guilt at having let him go. Guilt that others may be hurt because of her decision.

And yet deep within her she still felt that she had done the right thing. That healing and re-releasing the vamp was what she should have done. She knew that no matter what happened that leaving him in the torturous care of his two family members was not an option.

But how did you do the right thing and still feel so wrong?

She longed for the time when the answers were so simple. Back a few months ago when she could see everything in black and white. Before Angelus. Before Spike slammed into town.

Instead she wrestled with her own twisting insides knowing how much her decisions were affecting others. Knew that there would be a hundred woman like Jenny Calendar that would die because of her.

The knowledge was bitter in her mouth.

**********

After two days of just watching them Spike finally had had enough. They were disgusting the way they fawned all over each other. Making a display of themselves in front of the minions.

No it was time to let them know that the big bad was back.

Completely.

No one was going to stand in his way of getting Dru back. No one.

Angelus' time was running out. And Spike knew that they were warming a seat up for him in a special corner of hell. He'd be happy to send him there.

He slipped quietly through the door rolling his eyes at the unobservant minions.

No wonder the Slayer was able to get the drop on the ones at the factory. They were all mindless.

He made his way to stand in a back corner of the room waiting for one of them to acknowledge his presence. Instead he watched Dru dance around the giant rock in front of the fireplace. Angelus stood not far away a sinister grin sitting on his lips as he stared at the thing.

Barely in the room for a minute Spike was already bored. This wouldn't do at all.

"So redecorating Angelus?" Spike stepped into the light as his Grandsire turned towards his voice. "Have to say don't think you're gonna be on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens any time soon."

"Well well well. And what do we have here?" Angelus stepped closer to him while Dru watched him carefully. "Did the Slayer finally finish with her Florence Nightingale act? Or did you get tired of your staring role as the English Patient?"

Spike refused to be baited. He had enough problems holding his temper watching his Sire and Grandsire interact. He wasn't going to let the Wanker's words get a reaction out of him.

"Got what I needed." He answered simply.

"So I see." Angelus' eyes traveled slowly over his vertical form. "And what brings you to our little lair Willy?"

"My Spike came for his Princess." The sound of little girl wonder in her voice drew his attention like a homing beacon.

"That right?" Angelus said the disdain in his voice clear as ice.

This time Spike turned hateful eyes to Angelus.

"That's right."

The older vampire seemed to consider that for a moment.

"And what makes you think that she would want you?" The sneer on Angelus' face grew as he talked. "Or for that matter that she's even thought about you while you've been gone?"

Spike for once held his tongue. He couldn't let Angelus see any of his insecurities. It didn't matter that the gelled wonder already knew what they were. As long as he didn't expose the fresh pain his words brought him Angelus would move on.

He watched as the brunette grabbed Dru by the arm and dragged her to him sinking his fangs into her neck. It took all of his will power to stay where he was as Dru's moan of pleasure echoed around the room.

Spike took out a cigarette and flipped his trusted Zippo open. Taking a harsh drag he let the nicotine settle into his body wishing he had a working circulatory system so he could really feel it's effects on his nerves.

He needed to bide his time. To wait for the perfect opening to take the fat bastard down. A time that his dark princess would be sufficiently distracted while he took care of daddy.

"So what's with the big fucking rock Peaches?"

"Spike my boy you never did learn your history." Angelus paced forward coming even closer to Spike.

"Let's have a lesson then." He gave a sarcastic roll of his eyes at the posturing of the older vamp.

"Acathla the demon came forth to swallow the world." He moved forward to stand in front of the stone again. "He was killed by a virtuous knight who pierced the demon's heart with a sword before he could draw a breath to perform the act. Acathla turned to stone as demon's sometimes do and was buried." He turned and faced Spike once more. "Where neither man nor demon would want to look. Unless of course they were putting in low rent housing. Boys."

Spike watched the two minions work to pry the stone open with a couple of crowbars watching the maniacal look on his grandsire's face. The eager anticipation was disturbing to say the least and he felt something in his gut clench.

Things were progressing in a direction that would not bode well in the days to come.

The thud of the open rock hitting the floor drew his attention and he couldn't help giving a nervous swallow at the sight. The demon stood tall and massive a sword protruding from it's chest.

He watched as Dru raised her hands in the air and began to sway back and forth.

"He fills my head I can't hear anything else."

Oh he knew where this was going. He thought well hoped that he had been wrong but the overwhelming sight of the stone demon pushed the hope he had out the window where it plummeted to a painful crushing death.

"Let me guess. Someone pulls out the sword..."

"Someone worthy..."

He rolled his eyes at Angelus' interruption.

"The demon wakes up and wackiness ensues." He replied his voice flat.

Drusilla twirled to a stop in front of him and gazed at him with her cold blue eyes.

"He will swallow the world."

The chuckle from his grandsire didn't help with the chill that came from Dru's little announcement.

"And every creature living on the planet will go to hell." An evil smile began to spread on Angelus' face. "My friends we're about to make history. End."
12 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hello all! Here is my next bit of this one. A line or two may be borrowed from Becoming part 1 all credit for them goes to Joss. As for me I just want to thank all of you who have been reading and reviewing. Please continue to let me know what you think. I'll keep posting as fast as I can. Thank you all so much!
She tried not to grimace at the info Giles spit out. There was no way things weren't going to go bad. She wasn't that naive. The fact that Angelus had gotten his slimy fingers on a way to destroy the entire world, well she knew it wasn't a good thing. Beside the fact that he'd already tried to start the world destruction with using the Judge.

Only this was worse. This time it would be the whole world in a single opening of one demon's mouth.

She'd finally understood just how evil her ex was when he was soulless. Had seen enough examples of it demonstrated since that fateful night.

She'd never knew that he'd completely lost his mind.

Sure destroying the world looked good as an act of evil. What could top that show stopping number? But honestly what did he think was going to happen afterwards?

Did he believe that for some reason he would be chosen to rule the hell on earth? That he and his family would reign?

Or did he even think about afterwards?

If everything on earth that was living was sucked into a never ending hell wasn't there going to be a problem finding something to eat?

She could feel Kendra's eyes boring into her back as she focused on the glass orb in Willow's hands. Yes the ensouling was a sound idea even if no one else could see it yet.

No she was certain that all of them thought she was holding on to the last hope that Angel would return and everything would be all right.

Like anything could ever be all right ever again.

She made her way to her feet feeling the eyes of the others turn to her the motion drawing their attention. Buffy felt the need to flee. Just to run out of the library as if Satan himself were chasing her. The overwhelming feeling of guilt and fear along with her sense of duty just seemed to crowd in on her.

Instead she took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

They all needed to make their ways home.

************


Spike paced with quick strides in the small bedroom. It was the only place he could find in the mansion where he could get some privacy.

He needed to think.

It wasn't like he couldn't appreciate the evil of Angelus' new scheme. No vampire here, he was well aware how dramatic a move it made. Not only would it take care of the white hats but, hey, think of all the innocents that would suffer.

No he got it.

The problem with ending the world as they knew it was they would be ending with it.

He knew that Drusilla couldn't distinguish the consequences of her choices. She wasn't sane enough to remember who she ate the night before, let alone think about what she was doing.

The fact that Angelus didn't seem to be able to see where this would lead told him that the vamp was further gone then he thought. Maybe the soul had truly driven the rest of the demon insane. It was the only explanation.

He wanted a chance for him and Dru to get out of here. Get things back to where they were. How they used to be before Angelus' returned.

Before Sunnydale.

But the threat of Acathla would stop all of that. If the world was gone they would be to.

And Spike wasn't ready to let go of his immortality quite yet.

He sure as hell wasn't about to let Dru dust.

So he was pacing. His mind racing to find a solution.

Hoping it would come to him before it was too late.

He felt her at the door before she opened it and stopped mid pace. The look of glee she had on her face as she entered the room almost made him grimace.

He loved her. Truly and deeply he loved Drusilla.

But it was times like these he had to wonder why.

He knew the thought was wrong. That he shouldn't question his loyalty or feelings for his dark princess. But right now sitting on the verge of the world ending he couldn't help the traitorous notion that if he didn't love her so much his life would be a whole lot easier.

"It's time my Spike." She glided softly over to him her movements as always seemed hypnotizing. She stood in front of him her blue eyes looking directly into his before she trailed a blood red nail down his chest. "Mummy's missed her sweet."

He couldn't help the bitterness of his answer.

"That right pet. Thought Daddy made it all better?"

"Don't be a bad doggie." She poked the same finger into his chest. "Mummy needed Daddy and soon all the little puppies will scream and burn."

She turned from him them but not before he caught the cold look in her eye or the evil smirk on her lips.

"Coming my prince?"

He had no choice of course but to follow. And really wouldn't he follow her to the ends of the earth?

The question was was he willing to follow her to the earth's end?

**************

Spike entered the main room as two minions dragged a young boy in. His hands were bound and they dropped him right in front of the three master vampires.

"I will drink, the blood will wash in me, over me and I will be cleansed. I will be worthy to free Acathla." Angelus turned and looked at Spike his dark eyes making contact with narrowed blue. "Bear witness as I ascend." His gaze moved to Dru for a moment before he morphed into his demonic visage. "As I become."

Spike could feel the creep of dread along his spine as he watched Angelus pick up the boy by the throat before sinking his fangs in.

He could hear the slurps of blood as the elder vamp drank the boy and drained the life from him. As he heard the humans heartbeat slow to a stop Angelus pulled his face away from his neck while swiping his palm through the blood there.

The soft sounds of Angelus' footfalls were the only noise in the room as he reached for the hilt of the sword. His fingers closed around it slowly.

And in that fraction of a second as he felt his muscles chest constrict and he held his breath, he knew.

This was not how he was going to go out.

Not like this, not without a fight.

A good one at that. Preferably with a really worthy opponent. Someone like the Slayer.

Instead he watched as Angelus pulled on the sword where it remained until a bright flash of red light seemed to propel him away from the fossilized demon.

Letting out a huge sigh of relief Spike couldn't help himself.

"Someone wasn't worthy." The mocking sing song of his voice earned him a glare.

"Damn it!" The brunette got on his feet before dusting himself off.

He tuned out his Sire and the Pratt’s conversation trying to think of anything to get them all through this. Well not all he really did want Angelus to go to hell.

As the two of them planned on how to nab the Slayer's watcher Spike fought with every instinct he had against where his thoughts were taking him.

Really he wasn't even thinking it was he?

*********************

Okay so the vampire immolation-gram had her a bit freaked. It wasn't that she wasn't ready to face Angelus. No far from it.

Now after everything that had happened it would finally be a relief to get it over with. But sending a vamp into the school during the day? Freaky in itself.

So she understood the concern that the others had for her. But she had to do this.

The words the vampire had said to her kept repeating in her mind. If she didn't want anyone else to die.

At this point Buffy had no problem letting her thoughts swing to the morbid. Really would it matter to her now if more innocent lives were taken. Hadn't she already condemned enough people to death?

And truly if the world was about to end did it matter if those people died now at the point of a vampire's fangs instead of the great hulking world sucking demon?

The direction her thoughts took would horrify those she knew and yet it was the way she felt. Even as she directed Kendra to watch over the ensouling spell. Like the year before she set out to do her duty no matter what her feelings.

Only this time she hoped she didn't have to die.

Her trudging walk to the cemetery was done in silence the secure feeling of the stake tucked in her waist band the only thing she'd allow herself to feel. Nothing else was allowed past the barriers in her mind. Not when she was going to finally face the beast that had caused her so much anguish.

Buffy inhaled deeply and held the breath for a moment. Letting it out slowly she let all the tension ebb from her rigid frame as she stood at the entrance to the graveyard.

It was finally time.

*************

Her quiet steps did little to hide her arrival from the hulking figure leaning against the stone mausoleum. Not that she thought she would be catching him unaware.

"Wasn't sure you'd show princess." The words almost sounded genuine enough to pass for real feeling if you didn't take in the look in his flat dead eyes.

She wasn't fooled in the slightest. The time for her softer feelings about the man the demon had hidden behind was over. Those inclinations to change her behavior had vanished with the death of her Watcher's love and the encroaching world endage that he was going to bring about.

"After your sweet invitation? How could I refuse?" Her voice was sickly saccharine. "Not that the visit isn't nice and all but shouldn't you be busy trying out your King Arthur impersonation right now?"

She watched warily as he moved closer.

"You know I have plenty of time for that. Thought maybe you and I could say goodbye properly." He gave her a leer that spoke volumes.

"So you were hoping for what a 'Gone With The Wind' moment? Sorry but I don't give a damn." Her expression turned to boredom. "Isn't this where we fight now?"

"I didn't come here to fight."

She contained the eye roll threatening in her mind instead she just rose an eyebrow in disbelief.

"No?"

"Nah I thought we could just chat about old times and catch up with each others lives. What do you say?"

Giving him a cold glare she watched the yellow of the demon flicker in his eyes.

"Fine we'll fight."

The words were barely past his lips when he rushed her.

*****************

He was pacing again.

This time it wasn't because he needed to think. No now it was because he was trying not to in his boredom.

The course of action he needed to take was set. All he had to do now was wait until the time was right.

Unfortunately he knew damn well that phase one of Angelus' plan was to get the Slayer separated from the rest of the group she surrounded herself with.

So there wasn't anything he could do but wait until his poncy grandsire returned from his outing.

In the meantime he had to keep from letting his mind go over just what he was about to do. He couldn't let himself think about it or he would try to convince himself that it wouldn't work.

But it was a sound plan.

Later after all was said and done and he had taken his dark princess away again then he could think about what he did. Not before.

This was the only way he could stop what Angelus was doing and guarantee not only his safety but Dru's as well.

So now he just waited.

***************

They'd covered a great deal of the graveyard during their fight and there were quite a few damaged headstones to mark where they passed.

But she was holding her own.

Not to say it wasn't brutal and the punches and kicks didn't hurt. But she returned all of them with equal force. And as long as he didn't get the upper hand she knew deep down that she could take him.

Besides she'd faced tougher masters then him.

Angelus managed to get in a lucky punch connecting with her jaw making her stumble away.

"You know I thought for sure fighting you wouldn't be this boring. Guess I was wrong."

She could feel the anger flash with a searing heat over her skin.

"Oh I haven't even started yet." She flipped landing briefly in front of him before connecting a roundhouse kick to his jaw in return knocking him back a good ten feet. "That's your problem you're always underestimating me."

His loud chuckle sent an icy shiver down her spine.

"Oh I think I estimated you just right. Still thinking that everything revolves around you. Sorry but this time this has nothing to do with you."

Maybe it was the look in his eyes or maybe it was some sixth sense but right away she understood. Without thought she raced away from the now laughing vampire and headed back to the library and the others.

She pushed herself hard breathing deeply feeling the air burn in her lungs as her legs began to tingle with the strain. She ran through the night feet pounding hard against the pavement until they were muffled by grass whenever she took another short cut. And still she pushed harder fighting for a little more speed.

It seemed like she had run forever like the last few minutes had taken hours.

Until at last she pushed through the double doors of the school. Her shoes squeaked against the faded linoleum as she turned down the familiar hall and made it to the door of the library.

Buffy felt the fierce rush of air as it left from her lungs and out of her lips. Her head swiveled from one side of the library to the other taking in the overturned chairs and tables the broken shelves the stacks that had toppled the books scattered everywhere.

In the front center of all this carnage was the still form of a girl Buffy had barely begun to know and care for.

Moving quickly she kneeled next to the only other girl in the world who understood her calling.

She didn't need to feel for her pulse to know the young vibrant girl was gone. No the pool of blood under her told her that much.

Needing some sort of contact to ground herself to the reality around her she took Kendra's lifeless hand in hers. She could feel the tears pricking at the back of her eyes already. Stubbornly she held them back and reached her other hand out to gently caress her cooling cheek trying hard not to look at the gaping wound of her throat.

Closing her eyes at the image before her she began to summon the will to get up and check for the others too afraid of what she would find. As she began to move her hands away from Kendra's body she finally became aware of another presence in the library with her.

"FREEZE!"
13 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Oh my God. It seems like it's been forever since I've posted. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to review and read this story. My muse seems to be a bit lazy now and it's taking a lot longer to get something accomplished on any of my fics so please bear with me. Thanks again to all of you and hope you enjoy!
"FREEZE!" The sound of a lone footstep echoed in the room around her. "Put your hands in the air and don't move."

She stopped everything going so far as to hold the breath in her lungs. She didn't need to look behind her to imagine the scene. The uniformed officer standing calmly behind her, his arm outstretched, cold piece of deadly metal in his hands. No she could picture it quite well.

"Now I want you to turn around slowly so that you're facing me."

Automatically she began to follow the officers terse directions. After all what choice did she have?

Her gaze swung counter clockwise around the room again helpless to take in the amount of destruction in one of her own safe havens.

"I didn't do anything." The urge to say something as she stared down the barrel of the gun couldn't be denied.

"Quiet."

It was only at his spoken word that she noticed that they were not the only two people in the room. A female officer stood nearby holstering her own weapon.

She walked passed Buffy and knelt down next to Kendra's cooling corpse.

"This one's dead." She resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the obviousness of the officer's statement.

"Yeah what about up there?"

For the first time since she hurriedly entered the library Buffy looked up to the mezzanine only to feel her heart clench.

"Xander!" He was lying just behind the railing completely still.

The urge to go to him outweighed her judgment and she began to move forward only to be grabbed by the first cop and pushed back.

"Get her out of here."

Okay so she couldn't imagine things getting any worse than this. She was being held at gun point while her friends lay either dead or dying inside the library and her crazy ex was about to send the whole planet to hell in a hand basket, only without the hand basket.

No in her imagination things couldn't get worse.

Which is why they did and Snyder had to step into the hallway.

Just seeing his little troll face was almost enough for her to weep in frustration. She wanted so badly to see the others and here she was being held by gunpoint and dissed by her nazi of a principal.

Her protests of innocence were of course lost on the beady eyed loser and she watched the officer carefully waiting to make her move. Of course since he was a member of the Sunnydale PD it didn't take long. Hell it didn't even take a lot of force.

One minute she was pushing him the next she was fleeing down the street at top speed.

This time she didn't have a particular destination in mind as she ran. All she knew was she had to keep away from stupid cops. So naturally she found herself turning into one of the many cemeteries.

They were really the best places to hide. Not too much light, lots of ground cover and the occasional demon or vamp to keep the cops from finding her.

**********

The second Spike heard the front door slam he tensed. The familiar feeling of family washed over him once again and he knew that Angelus was back. He had to assume from the lack of yelling that the first part of the plan had been successful.

He didn't have time to find out if Dru held up her end of the deal.

No he needed to get out now.

After all he had a Slayer to find.

**********

Finding the Slayer was easier said than done apparently. He'd been to the school but didn't go in after seeing all the cops swarming around the building. And he'd started roaming the cemeteries right after he made it past her house. So far he hadn't had any luck in locating the irritating little chit. Figures that he would be doing something to help her out and she couldn't even be bothered to be present for it.

He knew that the dread licking at his insides was being channeled into his animosity for the Slayer. Knew and really didn't care. Right now he needed to find her and get this miserable night over with so he could continue his existence someplace a little less hellish.

Anywhere but here.

He could feel the pressing of time as more of the night slipped away accompanied by the sound of his thudding boots.

And truthfully the only reason he wasn't getting tired of walking all over town was the fact that up until a couple of days ago he couldn't walk in the first place.

However that didn't help control the level of frustration that he was feeling. He had one last hunch to work on if it didn't pan out he wasn't sure what he was going to do.

***********

She had stopped to catch her breath in the shadow of a mausoleum positive that no cop would dare look for her there. It was just a short to get her breathing under control and to get her thoughts straight.

Well as straight as she could without sending herself into a fit of hysteria.

It wasn't like she hadn't seen her friends beaten to a pulp, or she'd gotten expelled from school (again), or that she was wanted by the cops for a murder she sure as hell didn't commit.

No not at all.

Anyway dwelling on things like that was so not of the good. She needed to focus. To pull her Buffy thoughts together and set out on a plan.

The first of which was to find out if the others were alive or not.

********

It was a huge sigh of relief that left her as she made her way out of the hospital. The relief was only because she hadn't been caught by the not so observant SDPD as they walked the hospital corridors.

Her heart was another matter. Inside she felt a desperate dread at the thought of poor Willow laying so still in her hospital room. The news had been grim but at least no one else was dead. Or so she hoped.

Giles was missing.

Her only hope was that he had somehow made it out and headed over to his apartment.

Yeah it was a thin hope she knew.

The reality of the situation was too grim for her to contemplate.

Deep in her heart she couldn't deny the truth. It was the only thing that made any sense to her at all.

Angelus had her Watcher.

No that wasn't right. As uptight and priggish as Giles could be he had stepped outside of the Watcher only box a long time ago. He was as dear to her as the two friends she had just left at the hospital. Maybe even more so.

And he was being held by a sick psychopath that she unleashed.

If there was time for her to deal with everything she knew that she would be crushed by guilt. That the worry she held in her heart and the pain that she was feeling would be weighing her down so much that she could barely breathe.

But she didn't have the luxury of time. Every second wasted was one to long for Angelus to have a hold of Giles.

Instead she channeled the pain and guilt and trauma into a blind raging fury that she fought to hone on one central figure.

Angelus.

She was moving quickly now her head down trying not to let anyone see her. She was blending into the background thank you very much. Which of course meant that she was walking at a brisk pace, but not fast enough to be running, while she was looking at the ground.

Meaning that she wasn't watching at all where she was going.

The thud she felt as she collided with the solid object in front of her was hard enough for her teeth to rattle. Probably would have been enough to knock her back on her ass if two arms hadn't snaked out and wrapped around her as tight as steel bands.

She had time to inhale a surprised breath before she was hauled off the sidewalk and into a nearby alley. Even before she could begin to struggle she felt those arms tighten even more as her spidey sense went through the roof. She didn't hold back and began to twist and turn trying to break away from the constricting prison.

Just as they hit the darkest part of the alley a deep chuckle rumbled through the chest her ear was trapped against.

"Hello cutie."

The voice was enough.

As enraged as she was the thought of just sitting back and letting things happen never even crossed her mind. She simply raised her foot and brought it down hard on his instep.

A move he was definitely not expecting as she was suddenly free.

The yelp of pain he gave was just a bonus.

"I so do not have time for you right now." She growled out the words her body naturally falling into a defensive stance.

"What the bloody fuck did you do that for?!" How he managed to sound both petulant and pissed off was beyond her.

"Look Spike can I get a rain check?" She took another step back from him. "As entertaining as kicking your ass again would be I kind of have other things going on right now."

He'd stopped pouting, although she was sure that he wouldn't agree that he was, and now he was glaring at her.

Spike relaxed his stance a bit more and leaned against the brick of the building behind him. Reaching deep into his pockets he began to search for his cigarettes.

"Actually wasn't looking for a rough and tumble right now. Thought maybe you might want to have a chat."

If it was possible she really was seeing red. The haze of her fury was drenching her in covered everything in her sight. And the infuriating vampire was just the tip of the iceberg.

"We have nothing to chat about and stay the hell away from me Spike." The words were a deadly hum against the still night air.

The tone of her voice drew his attention and he instantly forgot about his nicotine fetish. He pushed himself away from the wall and stalked a few steps closer to her.

"That right?" He cocked his head at her in that infuriating way he had. "And here I thought we were getting on pretty well."

The arrogance in his voice made her blood boil and she couldn't stop her movements if she wanted to. And she really didn't want to. Before he could blink she had one hand around his throat the other holding a stake over his heart pinning him the cold wall behind him.

"Now Slayer is that any way for you to treat the bloke that knows where your Watcher is?"

His words confirmed her deepest fears and she closed her eyes for a moment not only to block out the sight of his face but to keep him from seeing the sudden pain she knew had to be visible there. She didn't want to give him anything to gloat about.

She opened her eyes and glared hard at him. The time to be civil was over.

Tightening her hold on his throat she pushed him harder against the wall.

"You saw him?" The frostiness of her words surprised even her.

Spike stared into the flashing green eyes of the woman before him all to reminded of how much strength the slayer packed in her tight little body. He wasn't afraid of her actions. Actually he had been expecting a punch in the nose at the least.

She was a protective hen. Rightfully so as delicate as her companions were with their human frailness.

"Not as such no." When the grip on his throat tightened once again he worried just a little. It wasn't like the lack of oxygen was a threat to his health. Not with him not needing it in the first place. No he was just a little worried that in her worked up state that she was going to squeeze a little too hard and pop his head off. Now that would be bad for his health.

Pushing the Slayer away from him before rolling his eyes he stepped away from the wall.

"Hey white flag here Slayer." He rubbed his throat absently his own eyes narrowed at the woman in front of him.

"Bullshit Spike. What game are you playing? If this is just one of Angelus' mind fucks I'm not interested."

A smirk crossed his lips at her words.

"Jesus Slayer. You kiss your mum with that mouth?" He stepped up to her once more both of them occupying the same uncomfortable place. "'Sides I'm hardly one to go in on one of the poof's plans aren't I? Bloody wanker's still to busy messin' with Dru to pay attention to the likes of me."

She could hardly deny that Spike had little reason to be helping Angelus out. But he had even less reason to help her at all so she was a little confused at the conversation.

"So why are you here?" Her eyes lit with little flecks of gold flashing in fury.

"Oh so now you want to talk? What's the matter Slayer got a touch of the grouchies?" His smirk seemed to grow and she fought the impulse to see just how far she could mash him into the bricks.

"If you don't stop wasting my time I'm going to be having a conversation with a pile of dust. What the fuck do you want?"

Letting out a deep sigh Spike knew it was time to get serious. She was right after all there was only a small window of time they had to act before Angel started his world sucking operation.

"Easy I'm gonna help you."

Although it was a simple statement Buffy raised her free hand to rub her ear. Blinking hard she gaped at the vampire in front of her.

"Could you maybe say that again? I really think there's something wrong with my hearing."

"Funny aren't you? Look you're gonna stop Angelus right?" He took in her slight nod. "Well I want in."

"Why?" She shook her head in confusion. "You're still a vamp right?"

"Spare me the stereotype Slayer. Still evil here. Problem is end the world and we end along with it or get flung into a hell dimension. And truthfully I've grown bloody fond of all the bits and bobs that technology has given us. Lived without them before and was bored to death. Or more to death. Point is I like the world just as it is vampire or not. I've got no problem messin' up Angelus' plans to do it either."

"And what I'm supposed to just believe you and wait for you to turn on me when my back is turned?"

"Not gonna happen. Too much ridin' on this fight for me."

At that moment it all clicked for Buffy.

"Drusilla."

"Knew you weren't a natural blond Slayer. Yeah my dark princess isn't in any hurry to leave Daddy. Figure your dusting of the wanker might change her mind."

She searched his eyes seeing the truth reflecting back at her.

"You should know the deals off with Drusilla. I come in contact with her and she's fair game."

This time Spike's eyes flashed yellow for a moment before he let out a low growl.

"You gave your word Slayer." His words were threatening and rough.

"I know that!" She practically stomped her foot before gaining control of herself. "She killed a friend of mine tonight."

"Fuck." He swore under his breath this was a complication that he hadn't foreseen. He was sure Angelus would have given strict orders not to off any of the Slayer's little band. The news that Dru had lost the added bit of protection the Slayer had promised wasn't good.

But he didn't have any choice but to work with the Slayer. It was too late now to come up with another plan and he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was the best way to stop and get Angelus out of the way.

"Look Slayer-"

Buffy looked into his suddenly haunted eyes. She knew that this whole thing was a huge risk for him. That he was desperate and she really was his last resort. But the fact was his psycho ho of a girlfriend had killed Kendra.

Which of course meant that she had caused Kendra's death just as surely as if she had delivered the killing blow.

True she hadn't run into Dru since that incident with Giles at the factory and at the time she had been a little focused on Angelus, Giles and the sudden fire. That didn't mean she shouldn't have tried to find her feeding spots and taken her out in a preventive measure. Just like she should have staked Angel and Spike in turn each of these deaths rested on her shoulders.

"I can't let this go Spike. If I get near her she's dust." The words weren't said any harsher than if she had remarked about the weather but Spike flinched subtly any way.

"Then I keep her away from you."

"Just like that?" He just nodded in answer and she felt moderately better that he understood why things were this way. Which of course didn't make any sense since she should have dusted the nut job the first time they had met. That and she was worrying about what Spike felt about it.

That was really way wrong. Not that she didn't know that but it was what she felt regardless.

"And I'm just supposed to trust you?" He heard the hesitancy in her voice. Understood it even.

He knew he could trust her. She'd already proven to him that she kept her word when she gave it. He'd been at her mercy for weeks at a time and was alive and well because of it. She had earned it and he did trust her.

She had no reason to think she could trust him.

"Yeah." He nodded softly to follow the single word.

Buffy wasn't so sure she could or should trust Spike but the temptation was there. Even at her best taking on two master vampires was not stacking the odds in her favor. And she knew that if it came down to a match between herself and Drusilla that Spike wouldn't hesitate to jump in.

But if she took his word and he kept Dru distracted she stood a good chance of stopping the ceremony and dusting Angelus.

Or this whole thing could just blow up in her face.

And it was then that she realized that like him there really wasn't much of a choice left.

"Come on we need a plan." And just like that she turned to walk out of the alley.
14 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hi everybody! Just a note to let you all know how much I appreciate everyone who is still reading this one. I've had a hard time getting not only this story but my other wips going so thanks for sticking with me. Thanks to everyone who has reviewed I can't tell you how much it means to me to get your opinion.
They walked a few blocks in silence not even glancing to see if the other was still there. Buffy kept her head bent low searching the ground as she went trying desperately not to think about what was possibly happening to her watcher right at the moment.

Her only goal was to get them to her house which should be safe enough to keep them away from unwanted attention and give them a quiet place to plan what they were going to do. She hoped.

Spike was lost in his own thoughts about what this really meant for him and Dru. True he had planned on hanging around the pathetic little town until an opportunity arouse that he could claim his third Slayer but with his dark princess now on the Slayer's active hunt list that would be asking for a lot more heat than he wanted. He had never been one for keeping a low profile and he wasn't nearly stupid enough to think he could.

The thought of double crossing the chit crossed his mind. He was evil after all, it would be her own fault for trusting him in the first place. But he quickly dismissed the idea. For one he was a vamp of his word. He kept it once he gave it and he would be damned if he changed now just for any easy chance to take out the Slayer. The second reason was a little harder for him to admit even to himself. Simply he respected the Slayer as not only the Slayer but as a person too much for him to turn on her in such a way. The loyalty and compassion she showed had touched him even if he didn't want to acknowledge it.

So now he had to accept the fact that if he did in fact kill this particular Slayer it would be in a fair fight after this mess with Angelus was taken care of.

Neither of them were paying attention to what was going on around them too busy with the thoughts in their heads to notice the police cruiser that had slowed down to start following them. By the time Buffy did notice and tried to duck her head from the cops point of view the car was already stopping.

"Hold it."

The sound of the man's voice made her tense in reaction but she kept walking hoping that if she just ignored him he'd go away.

Like that was going to work.

For the second time that night she heard the sound of the hammer of a gun being pulled back.

"Stop right there." As if she needed to hear the words to freeze in her tracks after hearing that gun.

Spike however was oblivious. Guns no matter how painful couldn't kill him and it wasn't like he worried about dealing with pesky things like law enforcement.

Buffy fought the urge to roll her eyes as Spike took a few more steps before realizing that his truce partner had stopped.

He turned towards her and raised an eyebrow to her in question at which time she threw a look back behind him. Following her gaze he finally saw the police officer holding her at gun point.

"Oh you've got to be kidding me." Spike sighed heavily. "What are you a trouble magnet?"

Buffy chose not to answer the bleached pain in the ass instead focusing on the current life threatening situation in front of her.

"Don't move either of you." The young cop took a couple of steps closer to the two of them. Keeping a close eye on the two blonds in front of him he gestured with his gun. "Put your hands on the car."

She gave a look at Spike and she could swear she saw his intent in his eyes. There wasn't anything she could do in this situation except trust that Spike would get them out of it. Hopefully without killing anyone.

Spike fought an eye roll as he stepped closer to the policeman making as if to move to the car. As he passed he spun quickly and kicked the gun from the guys hand before taking him by the back of the neck and slamming his head into the hood of the car. Unconscious the cop's limp body slid to the ground.

"What the hell did you do this time Slayer. Got the bloody fuzz after you too?" There was not only curiosity but a look of amusement in his eyes.

Oh she had had enough. The night was taking an emotional toll she could no longer pay. There were only two reactions she could express right now one would be to cry her eyes out something which she wasn't going to do in front of Spike the other was anger.

This time she let her fist fly and connect with his nose. The crunching sound of the contact echoed on the mostly empty street.

"You fucking bitch!" The sound of his voice came out muffled behind his hands which were now cradling his poor abused nose. Looking at his fingers he stared at the coating of blood on them before looking back over at the Slayer. "You wanna go a few rounds pet I'm game but I don't think you've got the time for it."

"I think I should make the time." The words were devoid of any emotion and this time Spike looked carefully in her deep green eyes.

The shock of knowing what she was feeling as he stared didn't hit him nearly as hard as the fact that he cared about what she was feeling. Or lack of feeling. He could see that she was shutting down on him and this couldn't be happening at a worse time. He needed her right now. Active aware of what was going on around her. If she chose right now to break down and shut down emotionally they were going to be up a creek without a paddle. Maybe even a boat.

Just then a loud groan stopped his train of thought as well as Buffy's threatening movements.

"Looks like we need to get a move on Slayer before Barney here wakes up." He gave her a slow smirk. "Unless of course you want me to take care of him more permanent like."

"Make a move toward him Spike and you are dust." Her words were still to controlled but he could see the flash of worry in her eyes as she looked towards the cop.

After a second she began to walk away again. Spike hurried to keep up with the girl trying to push his confused thoughts away. He didn't have time to analyze his own thoughts.

The only thing he wanted to concentrate on now was stopping Angelus.

It would have been a slight shock to him to know that was exactly what Buffy was thinking.

There would be time later to think as long as the world didn't end tonight.

****************

She had almost let the sigh of relief passed her lips when she saw her mother's car pull up in the driveway. With everything else that had gone wrong tonight she didn't know why she was surprised that her mother was coming home just at that moment.

Taking a deep breath she plastered on a fake smile as her mom walked towards the front door.

She wasn't sure what it was about her mother that turned her into a babbling idiot. It wasn't the fact that she was trying to lie to her mom no over the last few years she had gotten used to that. And it wasn't a factor of guilt. The rift between them had only grown wider after the divorce and their move to Sunnydale.

But the fact remains that the best explanation she could come up with to explain Spike was that they were in a band. God she was just so lame.

Although she had to admit he wasn't much better. If things were different she would have laughed at his own explanations. If things were different.

Spike had been listening to the words coming out of the Slayer's mouth only to blink stupidly as their meaning sunk in. The Slayer's own mum had no idea about her calling and she was determined to keep it that way.

When the older woman had turned his back to him he had gone ahead with the urge to roll his eyes at his fumbling attempts at a decent lie. Hell he was evil damn it. He shouldn't have had to struggle with the lie. And he should have been able to come up with a more decent one at least.

None of it mattered once he sensed the vamp on the edge of the yard though. A couple of simple moves between the Slayer and himself and the swirl of vampire dust was making it rather hard for the Slayer's mum to crawl back into denial.

He let out the frustrated breath when he realized that they were again going to be delayed. You would think with all the distractions that it was a miracle that the Slayer ever saved anyone.

The next few minutes seemed to pass in a blur for her. The explanation to her mom the phone call from Willow and the details of her plan with Spike all of it passed quickly at the edge of her awareness. The only thing that stood out to her was the sound of the door closing behind Spike as he left the house.

And the emotions that had been swirling around inside of her threatened to break free. For whatever reason his nearness had kept her from falling apart and retreating into herself. Now he was gone.

In his place was her mom still intent on keeping her in the house and once again she was faced with two alternatives she could totally break down which would cost her precious time or she could get angry.

It was almost like she was watching some one else say those things to her mom.

Quickly she made herself forget the fight with her mom as she made her way to Giles' apartment. She refused to let another thing take precedence in her thoughts other then defeating Angelus and to do that she was going to need that sword.

*************

Spike couldn't help it, he was shaking his head in disbelief as he walked towards the mansion. As strange as this night had already been he wasn't looking forward to the upcoming confrontation with Angelus. In fact after witnessing the row between the Slayer and her mum he was willing to bet the rest of the night was going to be just as unpleasant.

And what was with the Slayer's mum not knowing in the first place? It was kind of obvious if she looked hard enough.

He tried vainly not to think about the ridiculous circumstances he found himself in instead trying to concentrate on what he was going to say to Angelus when he got back. The deal to keep the Watcher alive was going to complicate things a bit for him but he knew it was the only thing that was keeping the Slayer focused.

He was going to have to think quickly to keep Angelus from being suspicious about why he wanted the Watcher alive. It wasn't like he really gave a damn and the bloody git would know that.

Entering through one of the hidden doors Spike walked quickly down the hall towards the sound of pained grunts. It wasn't like he didn't know just what Angelus would do to the Englishman once he was behind close doors especially if he didn't tell the wanker what he wanted to hear. Still seeing the bloodied but still stoic face of the Slayer's watcher intrigued him.

Spike knew first hand just how painful Angelus' tortures could be. And he was a vampire. For a human to hold out against those deadly hands made Spike's respect grow for the man.

Not enough to keep him from feeling sick as he watched Dru snogging the git though. He felt a little queasy watching the display but was content with the fact that for now he'd held up his end of the deal with the Slayer.

Unfortunately now Angelus knew how to open the big stupid rock.

************

The walk from Giles' apartment to the mansion seemed to pass in a blur. Meeting the creepy little demon man was falling in the realm of the surreal which itself was surreal considering how often she had met up with demons.

She wasn't sure what the so called Powers had in mind for her to do and she wasn't sure even if she did. All she knew was that she needed to stop Angelus.

In the back of her mind she wondered briefly if Spike was really going to hold up his end of the deal. It was a very real possibility of course that he was going to turn on her. The thought wasn't a new one since they had agreed on their truce it was something that bothered her though.

Not that she knew why it bothered her. Maybe it was because if he did than the feelings that she thought she had seen him hold for Drusilla wouldn't run nearly as deep. Or maybe it was because it would be a real betrayal of her. And although the act itself shouldn't affect her, the way she felt deep inside she couldn't deny that it did. Inside she hoped that how she had taken care of him meant something to him. At least enough for him not to stab her in the back at such a critical moment.

She didn't delude herself into thinking that Spike didn't want her dead. She wasn't stupid nor was she that naive. Not anymore at any rate. Her hope was that the demon inside of Spike was as straightforward as she believed he was. Wanting to conquer her in a fair fight to the death. Not deliver her into the hands of his manipulative grandsire.

Her steps were silent on the deserted road as she swung the sword at her side.

The sword she was to use to stop Angelus.

She drew closer to the mansion now able to see its silhouette against the black night. There was a single light showing towards the street even if she couldn't see inside.

Stopping there she took a deep breath and gripped the hilt of the sword tighter. This was it. It was all or nothing this time.
Inside she could feel the fluttering of her stomach at the thought of facing Angelus both frightened and exhilarated at the thought of the fight to come. This, this she knew the feeling of anticipation and dread mixed together where her body was yelling for her to flee while her mind told her that it was time to fight.

So many times she had felt this way in the past. It was better to concentrate on this than anything else that had happened today. Taking a second breath she rolled her neck loosening the muscles there before pulling herself together.

Soon it would all be over. She would be done. Angelus would be dead Spike and Drusilla would be gone the world would continue to turn and she was going to be alive.

It didn't matter what happened after that. Those were the important things.

Clenching her jaw in determination she began to walk the last few steps separating her and the monster that had made her life hell for the last few months.
15 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Okay here's a bit of a lengthy chappie for you guys. There's a bit of dialougue from Becoming part 2 and of course credit for those little pearls I couldn't dare to touch go to Joss. Thanks to all of you who have reviewed and thank you for continuing to read this story. Let me know what you think, Thanks for everything.
The hand that suddenly dropped onto her shoulder just shy of the front door of the mansion made her jump slightly in sudden fright. Not the response one looks for in a vampire slayer.

Whipping around quickly she was shocked to see Xander there waiting almost patiently.

"Hey it's just me Buffster."

"Xander what are you doing here? Have you lost your mind?" She didn't know what to think about his presence here but she couldn't stop and take the time to find out. Her eyes scanned the door of the mansion and the area around them looking for any stray minions.

"Figured you needed some back up. So here I am being all backup-y." He frowned a bit at his own words.

She gave him a quick look of disbelief taking in the object in his hand.

"You're gonna back me up with a rock?"

He grinned sheepishly at her before shrugging and glancing down at the rock in his hand.

"It was the only thing I could find. Besides still back up with a rock is better than back up with no rock right?"

Buffy didn't answer instead she reached the waistband of her pants and handed him a stake.

"Thank god this is so much better." He tossed the rock with a casual shrug before taking the stake.

Had the situation not been so dire she would have spared his antics a laugh. Xander always made her laugh.

"I want you to stay back in there. See if you can get to Giles and get him out. I'm not going to be able to protect you once this thing gets started." She leveled a finger at him. "No heroics got it?"

"Not a prob Buff. Don't worry about me." She looked deeply into his sincere brown eyes for a moment. Inside she knew that there was nothing she could say that would dissuade him from following her into the lions den.

Giving him a slight nod she turned back towards the entrance.

"Buffy." She turned at his quiet call. "Willow said-"

When he stopped for a moment she raised a questioning eyebrow at him.

"Will said to kick his ass."

She didn't respond to his words instead she slowly turned and walked through the door. Silently she made her way into the heart of the mansion stopping to dust one minion who still had his back to her. Lowering the sword once more she took a few more steps.

There in the main room stood Angelus chanting at the stone figure in the center of the room. She could see three other minions on the other side of the room blocking another exit. To the left she could see Spike lounging casually against the wall while Drusilla watched her sire with wide excited eyes.

She could tell the millisecond that they felt her presence the three sets of eyes that turned to her showed varying amounts of surprise and unhealthy glee. Apparently it was a fight they were looking for.

"What's a matter Angelus not happy to see me?" Buffy quirked an eyebrow at her former boyfriend.

"You know I just don't have time for you right now." His hand dropped away from the statue.

She took a step further into the room a slight smile on her lips.

"You don't have a lot of time left."

At her words Angelus just laughed.

"Always the defiant one aren't you Buff? You don't stand a chance here and you know it." He took a step in her direction and she gave him a casual shrug in response.

"Pretty sure of that aren't you Angelus? I think it's time we put your little theory to the test."

She refused to react to his very obvious scoff at that idea.

"And you're gonna do this all on your little lonesome." He chuckled again. "Oh I'm so scared look at the little vampire Slayer now I'm just shaking in my designer shoes."

"First of all don't you mean knock off designer shoes and secondly who said anything about me being alone?" She could tell the knowing smirk she had was confusing the older vampire but she was unconcerned at least on the outside.

Inside well until she saw Spike's hand close around the poker from the fireplace he was conveniently resting against she was so unsure of what she was going to do. The move of the blond vampire settled her internal fears and she couldn't help the gleeful smile she had as she watched the poker slice through the air before making contact with Angelus' back.

She had just enough time to see Angelus collapse to the floor under the force of Spike's blows. That was before the minions suddenly realized just what was going on and rushed her.

The poker arced through the air again before it struck Angelus' body with a dull thud. Spike couldn't keep the smile from his face. This felt extremely good. Even if he didn't take into account all the years that he wished he could have done this to his grandsire the reality of the last few months would have made this moment sweet.

Right about now he would usually be making some kind of snide comment. But he didn't have one ready. Plus he just couldn't talk through the shit eating grin on his face. It was perverse he knew but hell he was a vampire after all if he couldn't enjoy the pain and suffering given to someone so truly deserving than there was something wrong with him.

The grin turned to a shouted laugh as he watched the poof's eyes roll back in his head as he gave into unconsciousness. Stupid git was always a bit fragile. Oh he could dish it out but ask Angelus to take it not very likely.

He would have taken more time to enjoy his triumph if Dru hadn't landed shrieking and clawing onto his back. Quickly dropping the metal in his hands he whirled with her attached to him like a limpet slamming her into a nearby wall. The blow wasn't enough to knock her off and he had to suppress a growl as one of her claws actually sank into his back.

Picking herself up off the floor Buffy decided that she was done dealing with these minions. They were annoying the crap out of her. She had far more important prey to deal with than the likes of these losers. Kicking out she caught one in the abdomen and sent him stumbling towards the spot where Xander was still hiding. Watching out of the corner of her eye she caught the flash of a stake as it imbedded itself into the back of the minion turning him into dust. She focused back on the other two demons as Xander made his way down the hall.

Turning quickly Spike slammed himself back first into the nearest wall hoping to shake a raving Dru from his back. Of course the grip she had around his throat and his shoulders kept her from falling off like he hoped. Turning back the other way he bent quickly at the waist using the momentum to roll her off his back. He watched her spring to her feet before glaring at him. He recognized that look in her eyes and knew it wasn't good.

"I don't want to have to hurt you Dru." He told her as he backed up two steps from her advancing figure.

She just hissed at him and slipped into her vampire features.

"But I can play rough with the best of them." This time he didn't hold back and used an open hand across her face sending her back into the wall. The growl that she let out sent a small shiver down his spine. In all their years together she had never used that sound in regards to him. Oh he was definitely going to be in the dog house after this.

Spinning in a roundhouse kick Buffy finally knocked the two remaining vamps back far enough for her to swing her sword. Bringing it up high she twirled and took both of their heads. As the dust settled around her once more she couldn't help the wide astonished look on her face.

Angelus was up and standing in front of the stone statue once again facing her.

"Have to give you credit Buff you almost pulled it off. Notice the emphasis on the word almost." With that he gave a good chuckle quickly pulling the sword out from the now awakening rock.

Stepping forward she brought the sword up in front of her ready once more to face her one time love. Down in her core she knew this would be the last battle they would fight. This time it would either result in his death or hers and she really didn't want to die this year.

She could take him she'd seen glimpses of it in fights from before not just at the graveyard but also at the mall when she faced the judge. He always counted on her feelings to save him from the final blow of her stake. This time there would be no second thoughts about it.

"Gloating a little early aren't you Angelus? Way I see it the fight still could go either way." Planting her feet in a defensive stance she watched him warily as he swung his sword in a slow arc as if testing the weight.

"Just look behind me. Acathla is awakening and he's going to take the world to hell."

"Better demons than you have tried and failed." She gave him a cold appraising look. "You're not as special as you think."

She couldn't help the little thrill that ran up her sign as she watched the muscle in his jaw tick. The words had struck a nerve to say the least and she fought the little smile that threatened as he charged her.

Spike rolled away from Drusilla after catching her fist with his face springing back to his feet immediately. He noticed that her attention seemed to drift away from him for a moment and he turned to look at what grabbed her attention. His jaw almost dropped in shock as he caught sight of the glowing portal growing out of the statue. Shaking his head to clear the image away and fighting the urge to look where he could hear the clanging of swords he focused back on his sire.

Rushing her with a low growl Spike caught her around the mid section before his momentum carried them to the floor. The hit was hard enough that a rush of air escaped from Dru before he looked in her eyes. The hurt and betrayal he saw there cut him to the quick but he had to finish this now.

"Say goodnight sweetheart." Bringing his fist up rapidly he struck her on the chin and watched her eyes roll up in a sick sort of fascination.

Buffy blocked yet another thrust from Angelus' sword hard enough for the vibration to pass through the metal and into her hands. The sound of metal clashing rang in her ears along with her own labored breathing as they made their way around the room. She dodged another blow as she swiped at him with her own sword which he narrowly avoided. The fight ebbed and flowed neither really gaining the advantage. The continuous fighting was beginning to take a toll on her endurance and she could feel it in her muscles.

The heavy swings required by the sword and the quick movements she needed from her feet to keep up with and out of the way of Angelus' swings were beginning to tire her out.

Out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of both Drusilla and Spike hitting the floor and the momentary distraction was all Angelus needed. The sound of his sword slicing through the air was the only warning she had before jumping back. It wasn't far enough and the point of the blade slashed across her middle. Not able to contain the whimper of pain that left her lips she let her eyes harden at his grinning face. Oh no this wasn't going to be finished that easily.

Driving herself harder she pushed an offensive assault making him retreat in the face of her aggression. Step thrust swing turn block she used the continuous movement in her fight making her moves flow like liquid into the next. She kept pushing him back recrossing the distance in the room once more. She could see the feral determination in his eyes and he fought back with equal intensity swinging wildly at times to try to make her unbalanced.

Luck momentarily granted him a reprieve when a swing to his right managed to graze her sword arm. The numbness spread quickly to her fingers making her lose her grip on her sword and she was pissed as she watched him kick it away. She rushed forward hoping that closing the distance between them would lower his advantage of having a weapon but he was prepared and backhanded her away from him sending her out the doors into the atrium.

Spike breathed a sigh of relief into the face of his unconscious sire before moving to get off of her. Kneeling he took a look behind him and noticed the steadily opening portal. Turning slightly he caught sight of the Slayer still fighting now outside the atrium doors. Things did not look good.

Glancing back at his dark princess he gently cradled her in his arms before picking her up. First things first he needed to make sure that she was secure. Striding quickly to the other door that led to the garage he found his keys and popped the trunk of his precious baby.

"Sorry 'bout the accommodations sweetheart but you know how things are." He only felt slightly bad as he gingerly placed her inside before quietly shutting the lid. It was for the best after all. He needed to be sure that she wouldn't interfere with what he needed to do or that the Slayer wouldn't find her and go after her.

Right now he was going to go back in there and make sure the Slayer dusted his worthless excuse for a grandsire and stopped the hell that was coming from the demon in the main room.

He made his way to the atrium and watched as Angelus backed the Slayer up against the wall lining the garden. She was on her knees her breaths leaving her raggedly and her hands now weaponless.

"God he's gonna kill her." He didn't know if he actually whispered the words out loud or they just passed through his mind but he did know it was a pity. Creature such as her should have a had a better end. Plus it wasn't like he knew what to do about stopping the dumb git's plan. He was willing to bet the Slayer did.

"Now that's everything huh? No weapons, no friends, no hope." Angelus smirked. "Take it all away and what's left?"

Buffy let her eyes close not in supplication to his words or his actions but to center herself once again. She could feel the power surging through her body once more. Could hear the slightest sound his movements made.

"Me." Was her answer as she glared once more in his eyes.

Spike watched mouth agape as the girl just stopped Angelus' thrust with her bare hands he'd been half a second from charging Angelus. As he watched her rise and begin to pummel Angelus he couldn't fight back a sudden surge of admiration for the girl. He moved quickly back away from the door seeking a place that would keep him slightly out of sight and out of the way. He knew this was her part of the fight. He only wanted to make sure the outcome was in their favor.

Buffy kicked Angelus sending him sprawling back into the mansion before she grabbed her sword. Watching him roll she anticipated his move and she thrust her sword. It seemed so much easier suddenly fighting him. This time he barely blocked her thrusts and seemed to slow to use his own sword more offensively. Another swing and this time she managed to catch his hand slicing it open. She watched out of the corner of her eye as his sword now released from his bleeding hand goes flying away from him. Giving him a high kick she let out a small grunt of satisfaction as he crashed against the bottom of the slowly awakening Acathla.

Raising her sword up she knew that this was it. With the vortex in front of her slowly growing this was the end of their fight. The end of months of his mental torture of her and her friends.

And all she could think in that moment was that it was about damned time.

Spike found himself holding his nonexistent breath as he waited for the downward plunge of her sword. He could feel the tiny thrill of anticipation through his body at the thought of the monster before her becoming dust. As the second seemed to stretch on he had to fight the urge to yell at her to just do it.

The sword was already on its way down when Angelus seemed to stiffen and his eyes glowed red. She stopped the movement of her weapon with a bit of confusion still holding it poised for a killing blow.

As a sob tore through the vampire in front of her she had to hold back a gasp as his teary eyes turned up into hers.

"Buffy?" His voice was shaky with his sudden grief. And she could see that was what it was. Pure grief.

"Where are we? What's going on?" His suddenly warm brown eyes seemed to finally focus on her. "You're hurt!"

Seeing the concern and the pain in his eyes she knew that she was no longer staring at the cold blooded killer that had terrorized her for months. No the curse must have worked for she was now looking in the deep soulful brown eyes of the vampire she had fallen in love with.

She slowly lowered her sword to her side.

Spike watched the sword slowly come to rest at her side and held back his need to shout. No they were so close now was not the time for her to back down. Her breathy question of the poof's chosen soulful name made Spike begin to shake in anger. He didn't want this. He had been so close to the final end of all his conflicts with his grandsire to only have him seemingly rewarded at the last moment and spared seemed wrong.

Buffy sighed deeply. Behind him she could see the face of the demon actually begin to morph now changing into more of a living beast as the vortex began to grow larger at a rapid pace. There wasn't much time left. She took a step so that she was kneeling in front of Angel.

"Buffy." He says her name like it's a prayer. "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever." As the last word left him he grabbed her and wrapped her up in his arms. "I can't seem to think straight." He was shaking his head as if to clear it.

As she hugged in return she pulled the both of them to their feet. Buffy suppressed the urge to cry. She wasn't delusional. Just because Angel was back didn't mean her life was once again flowers and hearts. No not for her. Behind them Acathla was still going to swallow the world and send everyone to hell.

"Oh god Buffy." Angel is practically sobbing once again and she feels his hold on her tighten. Just as the statue behind her groaned. "What was that?"

She pulled back so that she could look into his eyes.

"It's not important." The lie falls easily from her lips. It was meant to reassure him but she isn't sure what it says about her that she could tell him that the thing behind him that was going to eat the world was nothing.

Knowing this is the last chance she'll ever have she slowly reaches up and cups his cheek before kissing him softly on the lips. Pouring out every repressed feeling she'd had for the last few months that she missed the man he was once again.

They both slowly pulled back and she looked once more into eyes that held nothing but love for her.

"I love you." Her words come out in a tiny whisper heavy with knowledge.

"I love you." His whispered answer cuts into her like a finely hewn knife.

Blinking back her tears she touched his cheek gently.

"Close your eyes."

Giving him a tiny smile to reassure him she held back a grimace as he obeys her request.

Spike blinked stupidly at the love story that seemed to play out in front of him. The sight of it sickened him. Although not half as much as the growing portal behind them. He was already beginning to cross the room to them as she requested for the poof to close his eyes.

She seemed to freeze for just a second and it made him pause mid step. He was trying to figure out what she was up to when she raised the sword and ran his grandsire through the stomach.

Buffy felt like the sword traveled through her own heart as it rammed into the statue after impaling Angel. The look in his eyes as she raised hers cut out what was left of its shattered remains. The pain and betrayal the hurt and suffering and all she could do was stare as the magic of the sword did its work with his blood to close the latest portal into hell. She didn't blink didn't move knowing that as harsh as this last glimpse of the man she had fallen in love with was it was the price she was going to have to pay for carrying out her accursed duty.

Duty she never asked for. Duty that has only brought her pain and suffering of her own and now as she watched the last moments of the man she had given her innocent teenaged heart to be sucked into the yawning mouth of the demon he had awakened she swore to herself that that duty would take nothing else from her.

"Shit." He was unafraid of the Slayer over hearing his exclamation as he watched the creature he hated above all others be sucked into the bright swirling vortex he had opened.

A part of him was beginning to feel a very disrespectful amount of glee knowing that Angelus would be no more. If there was a deity that vampires could really pray to he would have prayed every night just for an out come such as this. A time when he knew Angelus was going to pay for everything he ever did not only to him but Dru as well. The years of torment and pain they had suffered at his hand were finally going to come back and bite the great poof in the ass. And the knowledge that it was done by the hand of the girl the git had loved was even better. Cause to tell the truth the bastard didn't deserve her either. Not that he thought much about what the Slayer did deserve but the poof was stooping to low even for the killer of his kind.

And she had. Killed him that is. Knowing that the vamp she loved had gotten his soul back the girl had the brass ones to plunge a sword into him and send him into hell. Yeah he knew she was only doing what she had to, to save the world but it took a stone pair to kill the one person you loved. He knew deep in his heart that had it been Dru they would be seeing hell opening in front of them.

The admiration he'd felt earlier paled in the light of this sudden action. She was strong this one. Not the Slayer. No he knew the power the Slayer wielded. This strength he saw here belonged to the girl. As emotionally broken as Angelus had wanted to make her he'd barely even scratched the surface.

It was quite possible that Angelus could have spent years torturing her and her will would have remained strong.

How could he not respect that?

In the short amount of time that he had known this confusing Slayer he had seen a great many sides of her. And yet he knew this was just the beginning. After all she was still just a girl not yet a woman. And the woman she would become? Well if the glimpses he had seen in the last few months were any indication that woman would be nothing short of amazing.

If her calling didn't kill her first.

She didn't know how long she stared at the demon statue before she heard the slight sound of breathing behind her. She didn't have to think she knew it was him.

"Spike why are you still here?" Her voice sounded funny to her but she didn't have the energy or the will to care about that.

The sound of her voice as flat as it was startled him into motion again.

"Just wanted to make sure you held up your end of the deal."

She didn't turn to look at him trying to find solace in filling her eyes with the now quiet demon statue.

"And did I?"

He didn't like the way the question sounded coming from her but there was no way he was going to focus on that. He still didn't care about the chit. Respected and admired her yes. But he didn't really give a whit about this girl.

"Yeah seems to be."

The quiet fell between them once again like a lead curtain.

Buffy restrained the sigh of despair she could feel clawing at her throat. She didn't want to let it out. If she did she wouldn't be able to function. It would only lead to letting all the feelings she'd be repressing all night loose. And if that happened she wouldn't be able to do what still needed to be done. Not that she knew what that was yet.

They both stood there still and silent for some time and Buffy became a little more aggravated with each passing second.

"Well since I've held up my end why haven't you left yet?" She wanted to make sure he left before she left the mansion herself. She didn't know why but she wanted to make sure he was gone before she did anything else. Not that she had any doubt that he was going to leave with Drusilla but she had to see it with her own eyes.

"Was just going." He took a couple of steps towards her coming to rest just two steps behind her. "Guess this is goodbye Slayer." He paused for a second before smirking even if the girl had her back to him. "Unless of course you want that go round now?"

Taking a final glance at Acathla she finally turned around and looked up at him.

"No." She shook her head along with the word. "Just take your precious Dru and leave."

"Right." He began to turn to walk to his Desoto when her words stopped him.

"If I see either of you again I will dust you." She said the words quietly but this time he did catch the hint of sadness the sentence contained.

"You'll try." He cocked his head at the Slayer trying to figure out the conflicting feelings that were overwhelming her. "Slayer-"
He didn't even know what he was going to say to her when she cut him off.

"Don't. Just don't please." The softly spoken plea just had him nodding his head in answer. "Go Spike you've gotten what you wanted just take her and go."

His only response was a nod before he turned around once again.

***************

The crunch of the Welcome to Sunnydale sign sent a wave of relief flowing through his body. Letting out a deep sigh Spike stretched his arm a bit to bring Drusilla's still limp body closer to his side. He knew that she was going to be pissed when she woke up. Inside he hoped that she would understand why he had done what he'd done.

Besides it all worked out in the end. The poofter was in the hell he created the world didn't end and he was leaving this god forsaken place with his dark princess by his side.

The only down side was that the Slayer was still alive.

Well you couldn't win them all.

Steering the car towards the freeway he pushed all thoughts of the last few months firmly from his mind.

If he never saw this town again it would be too soon.

************

Buffy hefted the bag over her shoulder once more watching quietly as her friends made their way inside of the school. It hadn't taken any time at all for her to pack her meager belongings and the money she'd been saving before she snuck out of her window for the last time.

Watching the three of them she let go the sigh she was holding inside knowing this was for the best.

Turning quickly she walked down the sunny street towards the bus station. She blocked out all of her thoughts about the last few months and just let the warmth of the sun try to shake the chill in her soul.

Silently she made her way to a vacant seat on the first bus out of town. Sitting with her eyes glued to the window she flinched as the bus rumbled to life.

She desperately didn't want to think about everything she'd been through. Didn't want to concentrate on the pain and sorrow the last few hours had heaped on her. Instead she blanked her mind.

As the bus finally made it's way passed where the Welcome to Sunnydale sign was supposed to be a single tear fell from her eye. Inside she knew that she wasn't running away from any of the heartbreak she'd garnered.

No it would follow her wherever she was.
16 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Well here we are season three at last. I know it's been awhile since I updated but RL just interfers with my writing schedule. And of course since I work in retail and it's the silly season once again it might be awhile before I can update once more. thanks to everyone who's reviewed once again. And thanks to everyone who's still reading this fic. Thank you!!!!!!
Buffy let her mind drift quietly as she skipped rope alone in the library for once. It was at times like this she felt the most at peace. As well meaning as her friends and family were they were an awful amount to deal with most of the time.

Things had gotten a little better since she had ridden the bus back into her little personal hell hole. And even if they were a little less than accepting about her leaving at the beginning of the summer she wasn't going to point it out to them. Sure maybe leaving hadn't been the best idea. Okay granted it was more a reactionary response then a thought out plan but how could they blame her. Nothing after that night had been right. Besides what was she going to do once she was kicked out of her mom's and wanted by the police? Go to Giles? And even if she had would he have taken her in? And would she have wanted to put him in the position of sheltering a teenager who was wanted for murder after he had been tortured by her former boyfriend. Yeah right.

But things were looking up. Sort of.

She'd made her own mistakes of course it wasn't something she was going to deny. Hiding Angel's mysterious return from hell was not the smartest move she could have made.

But they were starting to get over it.

Thank god because if things had continued like they had after her so called welcome home party well, leaving than would probably would be a good idea.

Mostly she tried to forget that that part of her life had even occurred.

And if every once in a while her traitorous brain drifted to the events of that night she shook her head plastered that fake smile on her face and pretended things were okay. And she'd gotten pretty good at it.

But when she was alone like this well she could relax. Here without anything to worry about and a place that was quiet enough for her to concentrate on the sound of the rope whistling through the air and striking the ground before starting again.

Plus it kept her mind from drifting to topics that were so off the realm of the permit able it wasn't even funny. Occasionally they snuck up on her in the dead of night mostly after a long and tiring patrol. Thoughts that had no business being in her head. Thoughts that drove her crazy.

But in the stillness of the library or in the quiet of one of Sunnydale's many graveyards she could get a modicum of peace.

There was a rift between herself and the others. One she knew would never be totally bridged. One that her experiences had caused to widen. As much as she like and loved Willow and Xander they couldn't understand what she faced nightly not really. And the stuff that had happened the year before was too much for them to grasp.

Her relationship with Giles was strained at times. She knew that he had been disappointed in her for her trek to L.A. Knew and understood it even. But even her Watcher had no idea about the traitorous thoughts that drifted into her mind. He couldn't no matter how much he wanted to really feel what she had gone through.

All of them assumed that she had fallen into old patterns with Angel as well. They couldn't be further from the truth. True it would have been heartbreakingly simple to fall into the old routine of unrequited love but she was far beyond that now.

Not that they talked about it. Once Angel had begun to recognize the world around him once more nothing of the past year was discussed. It was buried there between them as deep as Jenny Calendar's grave and just as cold. No she had helped him out of some sense of obligation she no longer questioned. After all it was the same feeling that had led to her helping Spike.

He'd once had looked as though he wanted to discuss it but she had stopped him before the words left his mouth.

All she'd asked was that he not. And he didn't.

No now there was a quiet acceptance of each other in some ways deeper then the love they used to profess to each other constantly. Now it was a quiet and mutual respect. That was all. And if she happened to bump into him on patrol it was okay.

Today had been different however. Now with the stupid SAT scores hanging over her head she was given a ton more to think about. The not so subtle pushing by her friends her Watcher her mother and even from her former vampire boyfriend to suddenly leave her calling and try to find a life had left her on uneven footing.

It wasn't like the idea didn't tempt her.

Normal college life preparing for the outside world that was oblivious of the creatures she hunted nightly.

The question wasn't if it was what she wanted. Not anymore.

The question simply was would it be worth it?

As her scores suggested she wasn't a fool. And as much as she did like to live in denial it wasn't a choice in this instance. She knew deep down that even if she did leave the Hellmouth her calling was going to be a beacon to any passing demon. She would still have to fight for her life and possibly be endangering anyone she knew if she kept them ignorant of the things that go bump in the night.

She understood her Mother's wish that she go out and live like all the rest of the world. And in her she felt no resentment. And inside she cursed both Giles' and Angel's suggestion that it would be a good idea. They knew better than anyone just what being the Slayer meant. It wasn't something she could retire from. No matter if she was actively doing her duty or not. Such was a lesson she had learned in L.A. The only thing that would let her leave it all behind her would be her death. A death she knew she cheated with regularity. One that one night would catch up to her.

Probably a night not too far away from this one.

There were times when the thought frightened her beyond belief. To know she was destined for such a short life had at times been the stuff of nightmares.

Other times well when the guilt she tried to pretend she didn't feel overwhelmed her she thought about all the other Slayer's that had come before her. Inside she knew that in some form each of their deaths had been a sort of relief. Not that she wanted to die but she did carry a huge load of responsibility. A duty to which friends and family thought she was suited to when she knew she was not. No one saw how each decision effected her.

Perhaps that was why she never told them about Spike. Not about her healing him or even the truce they had had. Angel knew of course he was there for a lot of it, but that was covered in the year of events that didn't happen.

The other's didn't and wouldn't know. They wouldn't understand how she reached that decision or how she could let the notorious vamp go. Not to mention his psycho ho. It was the thing she tried not to think about.

Not that they would notice what she was thinking anyway. The way Xander and Willow had been so wrapped up in there significant others simultaneously made her want to hurl and scream. Both couples were driving her insane. And there insistence not to leave her out when she desperately wanted to be left out was driving her up a wall.

Such were her thoughts as the doors to the library crashed open.

She fought the urge to roll her eyes as she saw a distraught looking Cordelia come barreling in followed by Oz.

"Thank God you're here."

Buffy couldn't help the bitterness in her voice. "Yeah well not all of us have dates tonight."

"Something's up." His stoic voice couldn't hide the concern in his eyes and Buffy suppressed the urge to gag. Of course something was up. Was this not Sunnydale? Was she not enjoying a quiet moment of peace?

She followed them silently down the abandoned halls of the school until they made it to the chemistry lab. The mess that greeted them spoke volumes about what could have happened. She shook her head and turned her eyes towards the ceiling wondering how often this same scenario would continue to play out.

The questioning voices of their other halves were drowned out by the internal voice whispering in her ear to hurry. And she knew she had to. Sending them after Giles not only gave them a legitimate reason to head away from any trouble that may try to find them but it also gave her the peace she needed to think.

Moving quickly to the cage in the library she raided the weapons stash before she heard the phone ring. She knew it was just wishful thinking but she couldn't fight the surge of hope that made her run to answer it.

"Giles?"

When she heard her mother's voice she almost immediately began to tune out what she was saying while she fought her disappointment. She thought that she gave the standard yes's and agreements to whatever her mother was saying before getting ready to hang up.

However her mind was already back on the best way to track down her missing friends that was until she heard the other voice on the line.

It didn't take a genius to quickly come up with the answer of two plus two or even two plus four for that matter.

Spike was at her house. Alone with her mother and he had an invite.

She had begun running before she had even let go of the receiver of the phone.

**************

Spike had no real memory of how he had ended up at this point. Here he was sitting in the kitchen of his mortal enemy sipping on a glass of hot cocoa and spilling his heartbreak to the Slayer's mother of all people. The unreality of the scene he was participating in was just a little too much for his alcohol laden brain.

Besides it wasn't the strangest thing to ever happen to him and hell not even the strangest in this house. After the previous year there was little that should surprise him about what could happen on the hellmouth.

Thus he fought to keep from laughing at the face of his poofy grandsire as he scared the poor woman practically to death.

It was to comical for the Slayer's mum to be afraid of the locked out souled vamp then the soulless one with the open invite into her home. The faces he made from behind her back had his intoxicated brain roaring with laughter at least on the inside.

Of course it was just all fun and games until the Slayer got home.

The humor he had been feeling waned slightly with the threat of his imminent staking. Not that he could blame the Slayer for this one of course. Bloody stupid of him to invade her house and not expect a staking.

He wasn't disappointed when she burst into the kitchen.

*************

It took her only milliseconds to take in the scene in front of her. The snarling voice of her ex trapped outside by old vampiric tradition and the frightened almost hysterical ranting of her mom. Both of those things were easily dismissed for a moment as her eyes focused on the vampire standing behind her mother.

She of course couldn't see his face but judging from Angel's reactions he was making with the biting motions even if he hadn't moved any closer to her mom. The one thing she did know that he had to be drunk.

He couldn't be sober and still smell like he'd bathed in a distillery or let her walk into a room without sensing her presence.

During his brief stay at the Summer's hospice she had noticed that she could sense him individually just like she could Angel. And not only that but sooner and more defined than even her Angel sense. Buffy didn't doubt that the same was true for the master vampire.

"Yeah you and what army?" Buffy could hear not only the prideful boasting in the words but also the slight slur that drinking brought on.

"That would be me." She couldn't help the quip as it dropped from her lips at the same moment that she grabbed his arm and swung his body around.

The slight stumble he tried to hide only confirmed his lack of sobriety. She resisted the impulse to shake her head and tut at his condition. Pinning him against the kitchen island she half held him up.

"I thought I told you not to come back?"

Spike blinked at the harsh tone of the Slayer's question. Looking up into her green eyes he could read the genuine curiosity there and a sadness that seemed unconnected to his arrival. He blinked once more trying to put together his muddled thoughts.

"I go where I please."

Buffy heard the indifference in his answer but also read the pain the flooded from his gaze. He tried to mask it with snark and attitude but she saw it there just below the surface. Something she was sure she never would have noticed if she hadn't seen his eyes reflect the same last year as she came to the factory.

"Buffy let me in." The demand from the forgotten vampire stirred them both out of their thoughts.

Buffy looked up at the vampire in question before letting her eyes fall on the panicked face of her mom. Darting a quick glance back at the vampire she was holding she noticed that he had made no effort to move. Satisfied that he wasn't a threat at the moment she took in her mother's clear fear and shook her head.

"Angel I don't think that's a good idea right now." She watched his mouth open in protest before she shot an icy glare his way. There was no way he was getting an invite back into her house.

"Mom." She called to her mother softly smiling reassuringly as her mother's gaze found hers.

"It's okay mom. Angel's going to stay outside and Spike isn't moving alright?"

Spike let their conversation drone into the background for the moment instead concentrating on the few points where his and the Slayer's body were contacting. His throat and the spot on his chest were starting to warm from her body heat and the feeling mixed in with the warmth provided by the hot chocolate and how many fifths of jack he'd downed in the last day were lulling him into a state of relaxation he didn't think he could feel in a Slayer's presence.

Of course he was drunk off his ass.

Explaining to her mom exactly what was going on with the three of them was so not going to happen right this minute. Buffy knew her mom was confused hell she was too but those kind of things could wait.

The fact that Spike was here and her two friends were missing led her to some very interesting conclusions.

"Spike."

The Slayer's forceful utterance of his name made him finally snap out of his daze. His eyes glanced upwards once again to meet the startling green as her eyes narrowed. Looks like he was busted good and proper.

"Slayer." His greeting in return was met with a raised eyebrow in question.

"Where are they?" She said the words on a sigh of frustration. It was obvious he had them and she had no desire at this point to play empty games not with the suddenly furious vampire that was pacing on her lawn and certainly not with her confused mother in the room.

The jig was definitely up. Slayer wasn't such a dim bird of course no matter what he said. Like he really needed to see some test score from Mamma Slayer to figure that out. He just couldn't stop Joyce once she had started bragging about the girl's scores.

"Ah ah Slayer things don't work like that. Took the witch for a reason." Spike couldn't believe the light sound of his voice. Was he really teasing the Slayer of all people about kidnapping one of her little friends? He'd seriously lost it.

"So you do have both of them." She wasn't asking but having the blond vamp confirm her suspicions was helping her calm down from her adrenalin high she'd gotten running to the house.

Spike flinched at the reminder. He was sure he had a valid reason for taking the whelp along for the ride but he couldn't remember why. He just knew he was in the way of his getting the little witch to perform his spell.

Spell! That was it he was supposed to be getting the spell book for the witch instead of talking to the Slayer's mum.

"Buffy just dust the bastard already." The shouted command from Angel made Buffy's hackles rise. Glancing once again to her mom before looking into the suddenly lucid eyes of the vamp she was holding down. Letting out a deep sigh she looked back out the door again at the furious eyes of her ex.

Grabbing Spike by the collar she hoisted him back upright before looking up into his eyes.

"Mind if we have a word in private Spike?" She let the hostility fade from her eyes.

Spike was fascinated by the look in her eyes. She wasn't glaring at him in hatred and the look of his near imminent death was gone.

"It's your house Slayer." He said it with a little shrug and followed her when she turned and left the room.

"Mom do me a favor and close the door please." She tossed the words over her shoulder but still caught the furious sound of Angel's voice as the door clicked shut.

When they reached the living room she turned and faced him once more.

"Why did you come to my house Spike?"

Spike shrugged indifferently at the question.

"Needed a book the witch said she left it here with you."

"And my mother?"

"Just havin' a bit of a chat Slayer." He gave her a slight grin. "Your mum makes a mean cup of cocoa."

Reading the truth in his eyes Buffy fought the grin that threatened instead she asked him the most important question.

"Were you going to hurt her?"

Shaking his head in denial he suddenly felt a wave of dizziness sweep over him.

"Nah. Just killin' time is all Slayer. She was listening to me 'bout my problems is all."

She could find no duplicity in his eyes at his simple words and down deep she was inclined to believe him.

"Alright I want to know what brought you back here but first I've got to go outside and deal with Angel. Can I have your word that you're not going to do anything to hurt my mom?"

Maybe it was the alcohol but Spike couldn't help nodding vigorously in response.

"My word pet not going to do anythin' to your mum."

"C'mon you can wait in the kitchen." She didn't wait to see if he was following her but walked ahead of him wanting to talk to her mom for a minute.

"Mom." Her mother's eyes turned to hers when she walked in the room and she could see the fear still present in them.

"Buffy what the hell is going on?"

She cringed a bit at her mom's tone. No matter how many demons or monsters she slayed that demanding tone from her mother still made her feel like a little girl.

"I know things are a bit confusing right now mom but I don't have a whole lot of time to explain. Just trust me okay?" She waited for her mom to give her a reluctant nod before continuing. "I have to go deal with Angel right now maybe you could make Spike a cup of coffee see if you can't sober him up a little?"

With the suggestion her mom seemed to remember the other vampire whom she'd been treating as her guest.

"Don't think I don't know that you're trying to distract me young lady. I'll take care of Spike for now but I want an explanation as soon as possible you got it?" The finger her mother was pointing at her still shook with her nerves but Buffy got the point anyway.

"No prob mom. Just let me deal with the vamp outside first and then I'll deal with the vamp inside."

She didn't wait for her mother's reaction before she closed the kitchen door behind her.

It barely clicked shut before she was grabbed around the arms by a furious vampire.

"What the hell are you doing not staking him Buffy!" He was yelling and she cringed from the assault on her ears.

Pushing the hulking figure of her ex away from her she rubbed her now bruised arms.

"Don't tell me how to do my calling Angel. I decide who gets staked and when and frankly what the hell were you doing here anyway?"

He seemed to turn all kicked puppy dog on her all of a sudden his eyes getting bigger pleading with her to understand.

"I was just passing by."

"Passing by really in the middle of my neighborhood. Not very likely. You were checking up on me weren't you? After I left today you had to come and see where I ran off too."

"Honestly Buffy I don't know where you get these ridiculous ideas from."

"Right look Angel I kind of have other things to take care of right now so if you don't mind."

"And how could you leave him alone in the house with your mother. He's a killer Buffy I think you keep forgetting that."

She clenched her fists trying hard not to give into the impulse to punch him.

"No I never forget he's a killer Angel just like you are. Don't tell me that the soul is your key to keeping Angelus at bay. We both know better. He's got full control over his demon. If he says he's not going to hurt my mom I don't have any reason not to believe him."

"If you know that then why haven't you dusted him yet?"

"I don't have time to explain all of this to you right now. Let me take care of Spike I can handle him just fine on my own."

"Yeah you did before too. Want to explain that to me yet or are you just going to pretend it didn't happen."

"I don't owe you of all people an explanation Angel. Just leave all right? I don't have the energy to fight with you right now."

She could see the amber fighting to take over the brown in his eyes.

"No it's not over. Not nearly."

She didn't know whether to feel alarmed or relieved when he turned on his heel and walked away.

Nothing between them had ever been easy and she knew resolving this wasn't going to be a cake walk. He was angry she knew not only for showing him her distrust by not inviting him in to her house but also for her refusal to deal with Spike the way he wanted. The past just wouldn't leave them alone. And no matter how much headway they made at being friends the decisions of the previous year would always drive a rift between them.

Sighing she took a deep breath and walked back into the house.
17 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Yes I know it's been a long time. Please forgive me but after the holidays I just seem to have this problem focusing and really if I can't stay focused to write more then one sentence at a time well let's just say it takes a heck of a time to get out a chapter. But now at least yeah it's done hopefully things will get a little easier I really know where I'm going with this one so for all of those out there who are still hanging on please don't give up we are getting there. Thank you to everyone who continues to read and review.
Closing the door quietly behind her she fought the urge to sink against it. What had started out as a very good relaxing evening had spiraled out of control. The fight with Angel left her with a sense of foreboding and the thought of still having to deal with Spike, as drunk as he was, didn't fill her with glee either. Not to mention the expectant look on her mother's face.

She could see her mother was beginning to get that look in her eyes. The one that was going to demand answers and not let the subject go.

"Mom I know you have a lot of questions but it's getting really late and I need to go get Xander and Willow from wherever Spike took them to. Can it wait until tomorrow?"

She could see no change in her mother's expression and knew that she wasn't going to buy it. It didn't stop her from praying it would however.

"Times wastin' Slayer little witch and the whelp ain't gonna rescue themselves." His words were a little less slurred but his eyes were still heavy lidded and he wasn't really focused on anything in the room.

With Spike's words though her mom seemed to stop and consider the situation. Buffy could almost see the wheels turning in her mind as she weighed her choices.

"Fine we'll talk about all of this tomorrow. I'm not happy about what this means though Buffy."

She didn't even try to pretend that she didn't know what her mom was talking about. The secret of Angel's return had once again bitten her in the ass.

"I understand Mom."

The words sounded defeated even to her own ears as she watched her mother go through the motions of saying goodbye to Spike before she made her way out of the room.

Buffy let out the sigh that had been building inside since she had come home.

Spike blinked lazily before taking a look at the rest of the room. It had been silent for longer then normal and he wasn't quite sure what exactly was going on. Oh he had a rough idea. The ponce showing up and the fact that the Slayer's mum was unhappy at his arrival. He also didn't miss the lack of love in the Slayer's greeting for the hair gelled bastard either. Things weren't all hearts and roses for the super couple it seemed. Still though he had to wonder why he was still not dusty standing in the Slayer's kitchen.

When his eyes didn't encounter another form besides the Slayer herself he gave her a small smirk. Well it would have been a smirk if he had the fine muscle control that would require.

"So 's just the two of us heh pet?"

She gave him her patented eye roll which of course he missed being his drunk self. Letting a little huff of air out at his behavior she moved closer and sat on the stool across from him.

"All right tell me what's going on with you now Spike."

"Not much to tell Slayer, just need your little witch friend to do a spell for me then I'll be out of your hair."

He was proud of himself for getting the sentence out completely and on the first try. Right now his tongue felt numb not to mention the fact that he couldn't feel his lips at all. He was however feeling a little bit better then he had at the start of his week when he had begun his drive up from South America.

It wasn't that he'd forgotten any of his heartache. No the alcohol couldn't do that but his body was numb enough now that the pain felt disconnected from the rest of him. Besides he had cried enough bloody tears on the drive up that he was feeling just the slightest bit empty anyway. The hollowness inside of him didn't lend itself to feeling any deep emotions.

"Spike what kind of spell were you going to have Willow do?" She spoke slowly and made sure to enunciate every syllable just to be sure he would understand her.

"Doesn't much matter does it pet? Just need a little moment of her time for the mojo and both her and the boy will be safely returned to you."

"Spike."

At his questioning glance she gave him a small supportive smile.

"Spike tell me what's wrong it's just the two of us here okay?" Normally she wouldn't be trying to cajole his plans out of him but his current drunken state made the use of threats seem just plain wrong. Plus the pain she could see shimmering in the blue depths of his eyes made her a little more willing to go easy on him.

She wasn't forgetting the threats they had made to one another and while she was certain she did hate her mortal enemy there was no reason for her to immediately jump into the death threats. Besides they were starting to get old. Even she was tired of hearing them.

If he thought the soft words spoken by the Slayer were out of character he gave no hint of it as he looked glassy eyed at her.

"It's Dru you see."

She didn't of course. Dru was a subject that still bothered her.

Not for the reasons she wanted her too. Of course not. No the thought of Drusilla had always plagued her in relation to Angel and sadly the way she had treated Spike.

They'd never spoken of it but she had witnessed his love for her and the pain the crazy vampiress had driven him to while he was under her care. Care she shouldn't have had to provide in the first place. Inside she knew that what bothered her the most about his Sire was that she had abandoned a man that had truly loved and worshiped her and went to another in his place.

Buffy was certain that the council and even Giles believed that vampires couldn't feel. In fact she agreed mostly with its teachings. But she had seen the way Spike had feared for Dru's safety when she had held her at stake point and been witness to too much of his pain for her to think he didn't care.

"What about Dru, Spike?" She questioned him gently placing a hand on his arm in a supportive gesture that surprised her.

He felt her hand on his arm and looked down at it for a second before looking up into her green eyes once more. In them he could clearly see the compassion that no one had granted him in his entire life except for his mum. There was no censure in her gaze only a warmth he was long pressed to ignore.

He knew how wrong it was to feel this way. His insides warming gently that a woman so full of light as the Slayer was could take the time to bestow a little of her caring on a vampire. Even one as helpless and drunk as he was.

There was no stopping the few tears that leaked from his eyes as he thought about this kindness from his mortal enemy and the hurt and pain caused by the woman he so dearly loved.

"She left me Slayer. Said I went soft and then went around sharing herself with any disgusting thing that crossed her path." He shook his head in bewilderment of what had gone wrong between them. "Said that I tasted like ashes. I tried to tell her that I did it all for her that our truce didn't really mean anything but she wouldn't hear it."

Buffy took in the defeated countenance of her most confusing enemy to date. True they had nothing but death threats between them but she was sure this pain was too much for anyone to bear. She'd found herself tortured enough by Angel's infidelity but it had to be killing the master vampire in front of her. There was a hundred years of love between them and one didn't get over heartbreak like that easily.

"So you wanted to do a spell for what exactly?"

"I just want her back Slayer. I want things back the way they used to be before we came here. We were happy together."

Buffy shook her head in amazement.

"Are you saying that you want to do a love spell on Drusilla?" The disbelief in her voice must have showed because suddenly his eyes hardened a bit.

"That's exactly what I'm saying." He nodded his head again as if to confirm things for her.

She let out a soft sigh. She could understand the desperation Spike was feeling about losing Dru. But even she knew things like this couldn't be fixed by magic. Not really. Still it was what he wanted and in the long run the only people it was going to hurt were him and his loony Sire.

"What do you need Spike?"

His eyes nearly lit up when he grasped the meaning of her words.

"You gonna help me Slayer? Really?" He couldn't keep out the excited tone of his voice.

"I'll help you on the condition that once we're done you let my friends go unharmed. And you leave town again and this time you don't come back."

Spike had forgotten that he had her little friends held against their will. Well he realized he had access to the witch of course but he'd forgotten that the Slayer would want to get them released.

He was a little disappointed at the news. He had thought she had really wanted to help him.

She watched the look in his eyes fade a bit and wondered what could be bothering him now. It wasn't like he wasn't going to get what he wanted. And still be undusty. Usually kidnapping her friends was a one way ticket to dustville for any and all without question.

He was getting off more than a little lightly.

Ignoring the look for now she took her hand back off of his arm and waited for his response.

Strangely the disappointment he was already feeling flared when her hand left his arm. Looking back up at her he nodded his head in agreement of her terms.

"Witch said she left a book of spells here that she needs and then we need ingredients from the magic shop."

"Well I wasn't lying when I said it was getting late. The faster we get the stuff we need the faster I can get those guys home." She got up off the stool and went to get the book from her room.

The trip only took a moment and she was unsurprised to find Spike waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs although he was much more steady on his feet now. She wasn't convinced that he was totally sober as of yet but he was better then before.

They were silent as they made their way down the street. Buffy let her thoughts drift about the enigmatic vampire by her side. This was the second time they had teamed up for a common goal and walked across the town together. He was walking his shoulders slumped a bit his head bent as they moved across the dark streets.

Spike was trying not to think at all. He was starting to sober up and with that his feelings were starting to feel more real more like a part of himself. It wasn't something that he wanted to happen. Thankfully the Slayer hadn't said anything which made dealing with her that much more pleasant. Not that she had been hard to be around this time but he was well aware just how acidic her tongue could be. And just how prone he was to provoking her into a reaction. But for now they walked silently with just the sound of their footsteps echoing around them.

He took no notice of his surroundings for the most part just enough for him not to walk into the occasional mailbox or light post. Concentrating instead on the noise of their booted feet as they struck the pavement. He looked up only when the cement around them turned to grass.

They were cutting through the park using the shortcut to get downtown bypassing the cemetery route. Buffy didn't want to deal with the added distraction of whatever creepy crawlies were hanging out there until she was done dealing with this particular night crawler.

Spike lifted his head enough to take in the landscape around him when his eyes suddenly caught and held on a particular object. He felt the traitorous tears prick his eyes once more and he couldn't contain the groan that left his lips.

Buffy heard his sound of distress and couldn't help glancing at him sharply trying to place its cause. She stopped beside him trying hard not to care about the look of pain on his face.

"What is it?" She asked him with a subdued voice startled to note the amount of concern there. Dammit she was trying to hide that.

"Oh God." The words left his lips with a bit of a choked sob before he was able to control it.

"Spike?" This time she stepped forward and once again placed a tentative hand on his arm just to draw his attention to her.

"Dru and I killed a homeless guy on this bench."

And right then all softer feelings she had felt flew out the window. Not for the mention of Dru of course but simply the reminder of what he did nightly. She took her hand back off his arm and shook her head not able to believe how easily she could just simply forget. Not in the long term of course. No her memory was not that faulty but there were little moments when the demon in front of her was just so human that she could and did forget for short periods of time just what he was capable of.

He had continued talking while she had fought through her reactions to his words. Something she obviously didn't need or want to hear. Instead she let her now cold eyes fall on him.

"Guess you had to be there." It was the only reply she could give when she hadn't heard the story not that she wanted to.

But now he seemed to notice that she had distanced herself from him.

The clipped voice of the Slayer was in such a direct contrast to the way she had said his name earlier that he had to look up at her. Green eyes that had been warm only moments before were now hard and flinty. He was confused at the change. The whole evening her eyes hadn't been that hard.

In his drunken state the curiosity was too much and he was just about to ask her what the deal was when they were interrupted.

"Well isn't this cozy?" At his voice Buffy couldn't help but roll her eyes.

Spike couldn't help the involuntary stiffening of all his muscles even if the look of boredom was the only thing that crossed his face. There was of course no real reason to pretend that he wasn't thoroughly irritated at his grandsire's presence. After all their hatred went both ways. What really interested him was the way the Slayer responded to her once great love.

The hard flinty edge to her eyes was only accentuated when she narrowed them in aggravation.

"I thought you went home." Like I told you to was still implied by her tone.

He didn't answer her but his dark eyes held a mocking look.

"So Peaches what brings you out this time of night run out of hair gel again?" He was bound and determined not to let thoughts of Drusilla make him look weak in front of the giant pecker. The Slayer was at least a compassionate person he had no illusions of Angelus being such with or without soul.

Angel just ignored Spike and instead turned to Buffy.

"Why haven't you staked him yet?" The demand in his voice made her stifle the scream of annoyance she could feel in her chest.

"We aren't talking about that again Angel. I told you that I would handle Spike. Why don't you just go home?"

"Yeah you're doing such a great job too. I don't think I should go home maybe I'll just stick around a bit."

She rolled her eyes at his high handed manner. A tone she recognized well now that the blinders of young love had been torn from her eyes. And she wasn't going to take it period.

"No Angel you aren't. You're gonna turn right around and head back to the mansion. I don't take orders Angel not from you." She snorted in disgust at him. "I'm not a helpless child that needs your supervision so stop acting like I am."

Every word that left her mouth was dripping with scorn. It wasn't the first time they'd had to have this discussion but it seemed that after only a short time he would forget again that she was her own woman regardless of her age. So at times like this she didn't hold back anymore. She wasn't worried about hurting his feelings she knew deep down inside of him was the demon that couldn't feel in the first place. The most important thing was the damage she did to his ego. That seemed to make him angrier than anything.

"Yeah well you're making a hell of a mistake trusting him. He's a killer Buffy one you should have put down last year instead of saving. Do you think that the people he's killed in the last few months appreciate how hard you worked to get him walking again? Making their killer that much more lethal? Do you Buffy?"

This time Angel had taken a threatening step towards her and she bit back the urge just to rush him with Mr. Pointy clutched tightly in her right hand. Instead she fisted her hands at her side and thinned her lips to keep from screaming at him.

Spike just blinked.

What the hell was going on around him? The world was definitely tilted a little off kilter if he could believe the display in front of him and not just because of the alcohol in his system. He'd had a hard enough time believing the fact that not only had the Slayer tried to send the pompous git away but had declared her own independence quite clearly.

"Not another word Angel." This time she took her own threatening step towards him ignoring the for once silent vampire on the bench.

"Does it bother you to hear the truth Buffy?" They were only a few feet apart now close enough for her to see the flecks of amber in his brown eyes.

Spike stared blinking slowly at the two supernatural beings in front of him. He could almost feel the crackle of energy in the air as their anger began to simmer towards violence and where normally such a show would be a delight this night he didn't have the luxury of time to waste on his grandsire.

"The girl said to bugger off you twit. Why don't you just scamper and brood in peace?"

Angel's snarl of anger was ignored by both Slayer and vampire. Each already tired of his posturing.

"I'm not going to let you make this mistake again Buffy. You have a duty, a calling so do it!"

This time Buffy saw red. There was no way she could contain the rage she was feeling in that second. She stalked over to the towering figure and glared up into his eyes.

"You mean like I did with you." Her voice was more deadly for the calm in the ice cold delivery. "Don't think that I will shirk my duty not even for you Angel. In this situation I am the Slayer, not the council, not my Watcher and certainly not you vampire. Don't think that you can even come close to understanding my calling. The powers chose me for a reason and I will not waste time explaining my self to you. Is that clear?"

Spike blinked hard at the deadliness of the Slayer in front of him. It was like a switch had been thrown and he had never seen her more dangerous than she was right then. Something about this moment was so different almost like the girl he knew the Slayer to be had disappeared completely.

Suddenly he wondered if he'd been playing with his unlife more then he realized. What if she had been holding back with him this whole time. The power that was rolling off of her was so thick he could almost taste it.

Angel softened his stance in response to not only her words but her very threatening posture.

"Buffy." The way he said her name was half plea and half whine.

It was enough however for the tense moment to pass.

"Angel could you please just trust that I know what I'm doing okay?" She laid her hand softly on his arm.

Spike saw the tender gesture between them and was shocked at the growl he felt growing in his chest. He quickly kept it from escaping his eyes widening in surprise and confusion.

"I really don't like this Buffy."

Her mouth quirked up in a small smile as she looked into his brown eyes.

"I know."

"You need me you know where I'll be." Without waiting for her to finish nodding he turned and walked back into the shadows.

"What a prat." Buffy focused her eyes once more on the smirking blond sitting on the bench his melancholy forgotten if only for the moment.

Spike snorted in disbelief at the image his erstwhile Sire cut as he strode off into the night. He couldn't believe the gall of the over grown pillock. What really bugged him though was how he questioned the Slayer. Really wasn't she the chosen one? The dimwit acted like he was so special just because he went and got cursed with a soul not once but twice.

Buffy just knew that she was crossing boundaries that should never even be approached while she helped Spike. Knew but was helpless to stop.

"Well that was fun." Buffy rolled her shoulders hoping to get rid of some of the tension that had settled in her muscles. "So are you done reminiscing because I'd like to get this over with. Some of us have class in the morning."

His nostalgia forgotten Spike got to his feet a little steadier than he had before. The scene he had just witnessed had left him confused. There were certain things in the universe that were guaranteed the sky is blue the earth turns on its axis and the Slayer loved the poof. Only now, now that didn't seem so certain.
18 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
hey all! I know it's been a long time between updates but RL has really got my brain in a scramble and i just can't seem to sit and focus. Just too many things to think about. I haven't given up on any of my wips though inculding the ones that I've not even posted yet. Hope some of you are still with me. Thanks for everyone who has reviewed my stuff you don't know how good it is to know your all still out there. Hopefully it won't be long between chappies again since I know where i'm going with this particular fic but i can't promise that so I won't. Thanks again to everyone and I hope to hear from you all soon.
The quiet of downtown Sunnydale was a little startling to those who were used to the other nightlife the small town offered. Even during the early morning hours past the time when even the bars closed their doors there were usually a few beings out and about. True they were rarely human but the streets were hardly ever empty.

Buffy felt like there was something a bit off more so than traveling with her current companion. It was just a little too quiet and she didn't like it.

If there was one thing that she knew for certain it was that things that were the simplest for her tended to go wrong in a really big way. Hence her wariness of traveling down the street with Spike. The little task of picking up a few magical supplies before he let her rescue her friends seemed so simple that nothing could go wrong.

And that was usually when things did.

She stole a glance at Spike. He was the most annoying of creatures true but the mute act he was pulling was driving her just as crazy as his words tended to do. Not that she really wanted to talk to him. She was all to aware of what she should do with this creature as sympathetic as she was to his obvious distress.

There really was no sane reason she could come up with that kept this vampire out of all the ones she had met before from falling victim to her stake. No reliable explanation she could give that would make sense of why even now she knew that he was going to be driving out of Sunnydale.

Ever since she had pulled his sorry ass out of that burning church she'd been confused. There was no reason it would stop now.

They had finally reached the shop and she had to brace herself for just a second as she noticed the crime scene tape in the door way.

Inside she cringed.

"More of your handiwork?" If they could the words would have dripped acid.

More blood was staining her hands as she walked in the door before turning to face the quiet vampire. She was under no illusion that this death like the hundreds and possibly the thousands before were due to her ineptitude as the Slayer. A creature made to destroy the forces of darkness and yet she was standing in the middle of a magic store going to help this thing get his love life back in order.

It was sick. It was twisted and for some reason she couldn't stop it from happening.

For his part he only gave her a brief glance at her words before looking at the list in his hand. He may have been drunk but Spike wasn't foolish enough to give the Slayer any more reason to shove a pointed piece of wood into his chest. The threat of keeping her friends alive was only going to work as long as she thought they were in danger or his actions made his immediate dusting necessary.

He was in no rush to be scattered by the winds literally.

Instead he concentrated on the list in his hand for a moment wondering if this would really work. He needed his Dru back. Everything around him had fallen to shit since she'd kicked him away. The pain tearing at his heart couldn't and wouldn't be drowned out by anything else.

The dull throb behind his eyes also reminded him that his brief respite from the overwhelming pain to a quiet ache was wearing off. He was faced with the threat of being totally sober soon and that was a scary proposition indeed.

Feeling around in his duster pockets he grimaced when he realized his flask was missing.

That meant he had no reprieve from the return of his feelings. God his unlife just sucked. He glanced over a bit at the Slayer noting that now she was trying her best to ignore him.

Buffy meanwhile was busy staring at the spot of blood on the floor. It was roughly about the size of a half dollar but knowing Spike that would have been all the blood left in the shopkeeper. Irrationally she could feel tears prick the back of her eyes. Kneeling down she crouched next to the spot wondering how life could be condensed into this small little spot. But that was what it represented.

Blood. It all came down to blood. Blood the creatures like him stole from the people she laughingly tried to protect blood they wanted to spill from her. The dark crimson fluid that meant life to all of them and yet signified nothing but death to her.

She closed her eyes trying to block this particular train of thought from her mind but as always she was unsuccessful. In her minds eyes she could imagine the way the shop keeper had looked before her final moments she could see the looks of grief on her family as they lowered her body into the ground.

One more part of her that she lost in trying to help the soulless killer here with her.

The only reason Spike turned back around at all was that the Slayer had been entirely way too quiet in the last few minutes. Well that and he was having a hard time figuring out what half the stuff on his list was. Besides what was she standing around for when she could actually be helping him.

The sight that greeted him however left him utterly speechless and for Spike that was saying something.

She was kneeling on the floor with her eyes closed. The submissive pose called to him in a way he couldn't deny and he took a few steps towards her. He took in the defeated slump of her shoulders and the way her head was bowed before realizing just how close he was now to the Slayer.

Her face was turned away from him and he stepped around her wanting to see what was so fascinating that she was staring at. When he realized what she was looking at he wanted to turn around and flee. The creature in front of him was unpredictable at best and this most blatant reminder of what he did nightly could not bode well for his constant survival. What stopped him however was the single crystalline drop that fell from her closed eye.

Now for the most part Spike knew he was a stereotypical vampire. He wasn't one to feel guilt or remorse. That was true and while he had a great capacity for love some of the softer emotions still escaped him. Sympathy and concern were just as elusive to him as the former two.

Yet staring at the tiny figure of one of the most powerful creatures he had ever crossed he could feel just those two emotions tugging at his chest.

And the feeling pissed him off.

She was the enemy plain and simple. Just because she was screwed up enough to be helping him instead of killing him was not his fault. And the fact that she was making him feel this way over something that was so inherently in his nature got his blood boiling.

"You just gonna sit there all night Slayer or you gonna help me?"

Buffy bit back the retort that settled on her tongue knowing that her words would come out shaky and uneven from all of her emotions. She was not going to give him that kind of satisfaction. Instead she made her way to her feet and snatched the list out of the vampire's hand before turning away from his unsettling gaze.

She only had to get him what he needed and then she could make sure her friends were okay before she never had to lay eyes on him again. The thought of course brought little comfort but somehow it was easier to pretend that nothing bad happened because of him when he wasn't around. Even if deep down she knew differently.

Marching to the nearest shelf she began to pull ingredients down and settle them on a nearby table.

Spike stood watching her not knowing why her silence bothered him so much. She was even getting the stuff he needed for the spell without his participation.

But underneath it all he could feel a tug of something in his heart.

He couldn't stand being around her. She sent him spinning in fifty million different directions at once and the feeling left him disorientated and moody. There was something about a being that was supposed to be your destruction keeping you alive that was totally unsettling.

The anger was the primary emotion he was willing to acknowledge and it was led to half of their confrontations.

He wasn't willing to think about the other half of the time.

Right now though he had no worries about those forbidden thoughts making their way into his consciousness. The only thing he was concentrating on was watching the Slayer gather the ingredients for the spell that he was hoping would right his world once more. As the pile of ingredients began to grow some sort of something began to gnaw at him.

It wasn't a concrete thought or feeling just something tickling the back of his senses.

Which was why he was stunned by the words that came suddenly from his mouth.

"So trouble in paradise for you and the great poof huh?"

He watched in fascination as all of her muscles tensed and she became totally still. And while he couldn't see the look on her face since her back was to him he had to believe he struck a nerve.

"Would have thought the two of you would have worked out your differences by now." Not that he knew for sure how long his Grandsire had been back among the unliving. But this was the Slayer and the Poof for crying out loud they were supposed to have this grand love affair. Star crossed lovers and all.

Her indelicate snort at his words had him confused again.

"Thought you were the type to forgive and forget Slayer?"

This time she did turn around and the anger simmering in her green eyes made him shift a little uncomfortably on his feet.

"First of all it's none of your business Spike. And secondly well it still isn't any of your business." The bottle in her hand made a loud thump as she put it on the table next to the other things.

"Come on your supposed to be one of the good guys white hat and all thought forgiveness was something the lot of you did."

"And what exactly would I be forgiving him for according to you?"

She had crossed her arms over her chest once more a position designed to make her look more distant yet gave Spike the impression that she was holding herself together.

"Well he did have his soul go walk about last time I saw him not to mention all the fresh blood he had."

He watched a delicate frost enter her eyes. "What makes you think I haven't forgiven him for any of that. Face it Spike you don't know crap about what's going on around here."

"Why don't you enlighten me then Slayer? Thought you and him were this great love and all."

The frost in her eyes turned to a hard ice.

The nerve he had. Wasn't she doing what he had demanded? Hadn't she sacrificed enough of herself this night at his threat? She'd even shown him compassion. It was a laugh really how decently she'd treated him this evening obviously it was a waste.

"Just like you and Dru are?" She let out the scathing taunt hopping it would put a stop to his questioning before it became necessary for her to use her fists. The thought of Willow and Xander was the only thing staying her hands at the moment.

Her words had the desired effect of course and she could almost see the waves of anger rolling off of him. And yes while it was dangerous enough to rile Spike up when he was sober the total unpredictability of his drunk state had her tensing in preparation for an attack.

Part of Spike knew that she was using his own pain to get him to shut up but he couldn't control his reaction to her words not that he was good at that when he wasn't drinking. The bint knew just how to push his buttons just like he knew how to push hers.

"Tread carefully Slayer." The quiet growl of her words sent a small chill down her spine. "Dru and I are forever."

The certainty in his voice raised her hackles and she couldn't help her response.

"Yeah so forever we're here so you can do a love spell on her."

He crowded close into her the amber of his demon flashing in his eyes.

"Don't spout off about things you don't comprehend little girl. Soon Dru and I'll be back together again just like we have been for the past century."

He was leaning in closer but Buffy fought her natural reaction of forcing him away from her. She was only slightly nervous about his proximity. Instead she focused on his words.

"Besides all of this is your fault, yours and the poof's."

Those words gave her the anger she needed to make her point.

"Oh yeah now you're blaming me? How very convenient for you. And just what am I have supposed to have done. Huh? It wasn't me that sent her into Angel's arms it wasn't me that turned him into Angelus. Face it Spike Dru is a manipulative cheating whore. Everything that happened between you was because of her actions. In case you've forgotten I saved your pathetic existence."

"DON'T." The command in his voice didn't faze her.

"Do you know why Angel and I aren't together Spike? Because he cheated on me. I can forgive but I will never forget that his choice that night was to take comfort in someone that wasn't me. And that choice dropped me and everyone I care about into a hell that lasted for months. Even for you. SO don't tell me that I can't say exactly how I feel about your precious Drusilla." This time she shoved him out of her face. "You want the vapid ho back that's no skin off my nose. Let's just get this over with."

She didn't even bother watching him before turning her back and looking for the next item on the list.

Her hand was outstretched towards the jar when two hands gripped her shoulders before simultaneously shoving her and spinning her around. Her back hit the shelves behind her with a rattle and she glared into the cold blue eyes in front of her.

"Don't turn your back on me little girl!"

The growl that followed his words did little but piss her off. He wasn't going to intimidate her so easily.

"What are you going to cry on me about it? Look at you! One little fight with your ho and you're a blubbering mess. Why do you think she wouldn't have anything to do with you?" Buffy grabbed the lapels of his duster before pushing him out of her face and shaking him. "Why would you want her back? She's the one who hurt you. Do you really think she cares about what happens to you? Five seconds being alone with Angel and she's boning him. Why would you want to go back to that?"

Thrusting his hands up he broke the grasp she had on his coat before stepping away from her.

"Because I love her you stupid Bitch!" The last of his shouted words ended in a pained sob before he could stop it. And he hated it. Hated that he looked so weak in front of her.

Buffy let out a long drawn out sigh.

"I know you do Spike." Her gaze softened as she took in his sorrowful eyes and his vulnerability. "I understand you know I do. But sometimes love just isn't enough."

He paced away from her gathering himself for a moment.

"You're wrong Slayer. Love is always enough. The reason you and the poof aren't together has nothing to do with love and everything to do with pride. You think his cheating on you made a mockery of you and yeah in a way that's true but you could just as easily of forgiven him and moved on. He still loves you you can see it in his beady little eyes and he's just waiting for you to give in and take him back. Just like I took Dru back before and why I will again. I may be love's bitch but at least I'm man enough to admit it."

Buffy felt her jaw going slack in amazement. How dare he dismiss her decisions in such a way? Did he think that it was that easy even dealing with Angel after everything?

"No you don't know what I think or feel Spike don't try to tell me that my forgiving him would make everything all sunshine and puppies again. You think that we aren't together because I didn't tough it out enough? How about I realized that I deserved more than a vampire that cheated on me and only loved me half heartedly."

She stepped closer to him this time getting within only a couple of steps.

"That's the difference. A love that's only one sided isn't real love at all no matter how strong the feelings are. He didn't love me enough to stay faithful to me. That's why we aren't together. We both had to be willing to fight together and he wasn't. Just like Drusilla won't." She put a hand on his shoulder the light touch no less shocking to either of them. "Every creature no matter how soulless or evil deserves that kind of love. Even you."

Taking her hand back Buffy walked back to the shelves she'd been searching through and finished finding the items on the list.

Spike knew deep in his heart that she was right. Had known for over a century just where Dru's true affections lay. But he couldn't' t acknowledge them. Not if he wanted to keep his tenuous hold on his sanity not if he wanted his world not to shatter. Instead he ignored the the truth of her words.

He also ignored the way her concerned gaze made him feel. There was no way he was going to admit even to himself how warmed he felt at the Slayer's compassion and how her words about love affected him.

Instead of all that he watched as she grabbed a paper bag from behind the register to put the items in.

Buffy put the last item in the bag and looked up at her arch nemesis. Weird to think about him as one of her most deadly adversaries while they were being so quiet. The silence between them wasn't strained at all in fact it was almost comfortable. Almost.

She knew that he probably wouldn't listen to a word she had said. Didn't mean that she didn't mean any of them though. Inside she knew that Drusilla was exactly the term she labeled her. Nothing but a whore vampire or not. She understood that Spike was still clinging to his belief that she loved him when she did anything but. It was heartbreaking to watch. It didn't matter to her that in all her time as the Slayer she had been told that demons couldn't love. Spike's existence proved them all wrong. And sure it might be a twisted desperate love now but he was a soulless creature. It couldn't be easy for him to know the difference.

Deep down where she wouldn't let anyone see she hoped that he would find someone to make him happy. Someone that would love him with the depth of emotion she could see coming from him.

Right now though she was ready to get her friends away from his evil clutches.
19 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
wow this is the quickest I've had another update in a while. Hope you all enjoy. Thank you to everyone who reviewed last chapter and hope this is along the lines of what you were expecting. Thanks for all of your supportive comments about this fic and how it's getting there too. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. Thanks again.
Stepping back onto the quiet streets Buffy knew immediately that something was different. Not the good kind of different either.

At first it was just barely a tingle along her spine almost easy to dismiss as the vampire by her side. Unfortunately all the time that they had spent together last year had made one thing certain. She could recognise Spike's vamp signature anywhere.

Letting out a deep breath she paused as soon as they reached the center of the street watching the predator that was next to her suddenly stiffen. She knew he could sense the others too and she wondered just how big a mess she was really in. Suppressing the urge to walk over and punch him in the nose for getting her into this mess in the first place she watched as the group of vamps materialized out of the shadows.

"Lenny it's been a long time." The snide drawl from the blond on her left drew her attention away from the others.

"Not nearly long enough. You should have stayed gone."

"You know this guy?" Why oh why was she surprised? She knew better really she did.

"This prick used to be on my payroll."

The irritation in his voice would have been humorous if the situation wasn't so dire. And dire it was. There were too many of them for just the two of them to take on. More than she was willing to fight.

"So now that the two of you have caught up can we get going. We have to go do that thing now." The need to get out of this mess was clawing at her insides and she was determined not to let the other vampires know about the situation with her and Spike. Who knows how they would use that to their advantage.

Spike gave her an expression that clearly said she was nuts.

As the group advanced on them Buffy rolled her eyes.

"Our beefs with him you can walk away."

She took in the large group of vamps before looking back at Spike for a moment. In that brief flash of time she seriously considered the idea. It was his deal after all and wasn't she just tired of saving his ass.

It was only a moment though before she took in his slightly unsteady stance and his haggard eyes before she knew. Knew that she wasn't just going to abandon him to his fate. It would be a slaughter if she left at least they had a small chance together.

"Sorry we're kind of a package deal at the moment." She shrugged at Lenny before dropping and kicking the vamps legs out from under him.

And so the fight started. There were too many of them for her to track everything that was happening so her world narrowed to the next kick or punch. Everything was used around them and the violence ranged up and down the street before she could feel the tide turn with their greater numbers.

Spike was starting to really enjoy himself. He couldn't remember the last time he'd been in a good fight and this had all the earmarks of one of his better brawls. Heavily stacked odds and just fist and fangs. Yeah a bloke could get used to this.

Which is why he almost missed the shout from the Slayer as she made it to the front of the empty store.

Buffy watched as Spike ran over to her and together they ran through the door before Spike slammed it shut. Glancing quickly over to the window they moved to a bookcase and pushed it in front of the shop window. The weak barricade in place she tried not to concentrate on the banging coming from the front of the building before her eyes sweep around to the wooden chair behind the counter. In seconds it's in broken pieces making cheap but needed stakes.

There wasn't time for thought or to question herself as she automatically gave Spike his own stake. Instead she stared hard at the vibrating door in the back of the store knowing that they were moments away from another deadly encounter.

For Spike there wasn't anything better than this. He was ready and waiting for them to break down the last of their barricades if only to lose himself once more in the rhythm of the fight. It was what he unlived for. Why he sought to fight Slayers.

It was the rush of not knowing if he was going to walk away but knowing that he gave everything he had during the dance.

Yeah it was the best part.

Together they attacked the first few through the door as one. They were separated quickly of course but she could hear him shouting at the vampire he was facing as she fought the two that had followed her to a corner of the shop.

Spike was enjoying bashing Lenny's face in. How dare he accuse him of being soft. Spike was anything but soft. And proving it to Lenny was only the first step. He lost track of how many times Lenny's head hit the table but each time the solid thunk of the minions skull echoed back to him he couldn't help but grin. Damn but if this wasn't the best time he'd had in longer than he could remember.

This this is what he had been missing since he'd been stuck in that wheelchair by the Slayer. The simple thrill of the fight where nothing mattered but the dance. Some how in the dark times that marked Angelus' return and him finding Dru with that drippy demon he had forgotten.

Buffy couldn't help the slight bit of panic she felt as she dusted the second of her attackers. It was in that one moment where the chaos was calm enough for her to take in her surroundings that she saw the bookcase about to topple and let in countless other vamps. Looking around frantically she spotted a display full of bottles of holy water and sent a little thank you upwards.

You couldn't be to careful with that kind of thing.

Breaking the display case she grabbed an armful of the bottles keeping one in her right hand. Now that she stood still she noticed one tiny problem with her plan. There was an obstacle between her and the demons now entering the shop.

"Spike get down!" Her yell preceded the toss of one of the little glass bombs and it shattered against the closest vampire. Well closest one she was trying to kill at the moment of course.

He didn't stop to think as the shout carried over the sound of the vampire dusting from his stake. Instead he dropped like a stone finding shelter under an overturned table. He couldn't help the smirk on his face as he watched the others start to retreat in agony from the burns they were suffering. As they climbed very ungracefully back over the impromptu barricade he couldn't help the laugh that erupted from him.

Buffy walked over to where she had last seen Spike to see what was so goddamn funny. The whole bizarre thing had finally gotten on her last nerve and she just wanted to get her friends back home before she climbed into her own bed and slept for like a week. Maybe two.

The thought was enough to bring a brief yet wistful smile to her face. If only life were that simple. To be able to hide from the world and recover her equilibrium from the rampaging form of destruction the peroxide blond laughing away brought with him. A moment of peace where even her friends didn't intrude where there was no overbearing former love to keep her off balance.

Of course none of that would happen for her in this lifetime. Instead she patiently stood behind the crouched figure as he shook from his expression of emotion she neither knew nor at this moment wanted to understand. No matter the way she felt no matter the way she did understand him the time for him to leave was now. If he wanted to get back to his Sire then it was time for her to hurry him on his way. If only it meant she had one less figure around that would take all of her mental energy to puzzle out.

Finally he could feel himself gaining a bit of control over his mirth and for the first time in days he felt like the Spike he was. The pain of his love's rejection was now tempered with the thought that soon he was going to have her back.

He knew that the Slayer was standing behind him and yet he rose to his feet fluidly in no hurry just because she was there. He was just a bit high with the adrenaline coursing through his body in long dead veins to even worry about her presence. And it wasn't like she had been a real threat to him the whole time they had been traipsing around town. No the silly bint was still helping him.

And somewhere in a foreign part of himself where he usually buried things he didn't or couldn't understand he felt just the tiniest bit grateful. It wasn't just the fact that she had followed his little goose chase tonight although he had to give her points for not staking his ass on several occasions but for something else all together.

Tonight it felt like she had helped him find himself once again. That the mopey and sniveling wreck she had found in her mother's kitchen was finally at last behind him as though it was a remnant of his poncy human days. Yes he was love's bitch it was true but he still had some control over his own destiny and he was going to make damn sure Dru understood that.

Everything he'd done in the last few months from the moment he left the Slayer fighting Angelus till now had been all wrong. It wasn't the love sick fool that Dru wanted. He'd known that hadn't she taught him to be the demon he'd become? Hadn't she shown him it was his darkness and brutality she craved? The Slayer had been right after all.

He wasn't going to win his Dru back by being sad and lonely. By letting her destroy him. No she wanted him to fight back. To give as good as he got and by all that was unholy that was what she was going to get.

He looked into the clear green eyes of the girl who was not only his mortal enemy but in some ways much like his Dru before had become his savior. He'd come to her broken now more than once and each time she had pieced him back together before setting him free once again. It didn't matter to him that she was the Slayer in this moment because it was her humanity that he saw.

Buffy stared into his blue eyes, eyes she knew could see down to her depths and watched the subtle sparks of joy that infused his gaze. His laughter aside he seemed different to her than he had been all night and wondered briefly about the change before squishing the thought out of her mind. It was time for her to get her friends.

"So are we going to go do this now or what?" The tone she wished had been harsh came out instead melded with the curiosity she desperately didn't want to feel. The detached emotional distance she wanted to hide behind kept failing her. The being in front of her stirred a confusion in her soul and she couldn't help but want to piece it together and say look this is Spike this is who this being is.

But whether by design or accident he kept doing things that never let that happen. Maybe that was why she hadn't staked him or let him die in that fire. Maybe it was why she nursed him back to health or stood her ground by his side tonight. At any rate her fascination into what made him tick was getting the better of her.

With clear eyes he could see that she was fighting some inner struggle. And while he was a bit curious about it he didn't have time to wait. No he had things he needed to do and a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time.

Still the night they had just shared meant something to him. Something he might deny to everyone himself included but it did mean something.

"Forget the spell Slayer. Your chums are at the factory." He's a little distracted watching the burning ember of anger enter her green eyes.

Okay before the evening had been a bit surreal but listening to him tell her that Xander and Willow were not in any danger and exactly where she thought they would be sent a frisson of anger rattling through her core. Still she held herself in check waiting to see what he would do now.

"I'm glad I came here. You showed me that I've been going about this all wrong. You were right Dru doesn't want me all sniveling and broody she could have Peaches for that. Nope for Dru I've just got to be the demon she wants me to be. I'm gonna find her tie her up and torture her until she loves me again."

So she knew that she was gaping like a fish but she couldn't help it. He was definitely just as insane as his Sire.

"Got to hand it to you pet you sure how know how to show a vamp a good time."

That did it what the hell did he think he was doing? More than that who the hell did he think he was talking to?

"Oh I haven't even begun to show you a good time Spike." Okay so it took a bit much for her to ignore the obvious innuendo there but dammit she was denial girl. She would and she did.

The stake in her hand kept him from the full out comments that he wanted to make so he settled on something not so bold.

He curled his tongue behind his teeth and waggled his brow at her.

"Maybe not pet but I'm sure you could." He dropped the look and stepped closer to her once again. "Don't really have time for that right now though. Tell Peaches I still hate his guts won't you."

He was just a little too close. The whole invading her space thing just creeped her out and was what was sending chills up her spine. She couldn't fault him of course for taking her words and running with them as they were but she fought hard to repress the smile she felt coming at Angel's expense.

"I really don't think he needs to hear it to believe that Spike."

Her quiet reply made him chuckle and he relaxed just a bit as her grip became a little looser on her stake. He wasn't really worried about her ending him any more at least not tonight but he wasn't crazy enough to think she wouldn't hurt him if she got angry enough.

And while she knew that this was goodbye she was just a little sad to see him go. Not that that made any sense but it was still true.

They stared at each other for a moment knowing that usually this was where they would be making with the typical death threat. The silence hovered between them though neither wanting to use words that there was just no feeling behind at this time.

Not that it would last forever or even the next day but right now Buffy knew that Spike didn't want her dead just as much as she didn't want him dead.

So the little bit of gratitude he felt before was almost blindsiding him now. The little girl in front of him who very soon was going to be a full fledged woman was someone he knew he wasn't ever going to meet the likes of again. Part of him was glad that he hadn't been able to kill her that time last year now that he had gotten a small glimpse of her inner self. Other parts of him well they were quiet at least for now. He was still too surprised that she had helped him reach this understanding about himself to listen to the parts of him that screamed that she was the Slayer and that she needed to be drenched in blood and suffering at his hands.

No tonight in a very large way that he again would not admit to anyone had shown him that he didn't need to give up who he was to love his dark goddess and also gave him the way to win her back.

There was also the part of him that had relished fighting beside her watching her as she choose to stand beside him.

That was something he had rarely been granted in either of his lives.

This time they both began to move away from each other without a word and Buffy swallowed the weird lump in her throat as she watched him move towards the door.

"Spike."

He turned to the sound of her voice entranced by the quiet of her tone. The look in her eyes showed to many emotions for him to understand but he was helpless to stop and stare.

"Good luck with Drusilla. I hope you two are happy." She still didn't understand why the words sent a small pang to her heart unless it was to know that demon or not there was no way anyone was going to love her quite the way Spike loved his Sire.

The quiet genuine words did more to him then he could grasp and he knew in that instant if the Slayer was just some random girl he wouldn't think twice about letting her live. He'd rarely been privy to someone who looked on him with some measure of worth that thought of his well being. If she wasn't a Slayer he would be tempted with the idea of turning her just to have someone who looked at him like he mattered.

Unfortunately he knew about turnings and what they did to people like her. Wasn't his mum proof enough? And besides she was the Slayer that was the whole point wasn't it?

Things between them weren't natural at all.

But the words oh how could he stop himself.

"Oh sod it." The word were out of his mouth just as he finished walking back towards the woman there.

Buffy tensed as his arms wrapped around her the confusion in his actions making her question reality. After a second she felt her arms as though they had a mind all their own return his embrace and her muscles started to soften.

When he felt her arms around him Spike took a deep breath and exhaled knowing that this was so wrong it bordered on a cosmic scale of bad. He couldn't care less for just that brief flash of time.

Leaning down he let his mouth brush her ear before he whispered.

"Thank you Buffy."

In a second it was all gone and Buffy watched his back as he strode out of the shop back into the night. Trying not to think about how she'd felt in his arms.
20 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long break everyone. Just RL got really busy in a good way and my muse decided she needed to get away for a while. Thanks to all of you who are still interested in this story.
Buffy had to ask herself just what the hell she thought she was doing once again. Okay so the time she'd been spending with Parker may have been a little boring but it had been nice enough. And it wasn't like she had a whole lot of dating experience to fall back on. Besides the sparkage was there even if it was at a lower level then she would have liked.

The point was she was out seeing a guy. A human guy at that. And even if he didn't have any idea about what she did at night after she left their dates at least he was interested in the Buffy he saw.

Maybe Willow had been right maybe the lusty feelings weren't wrong in a traditional sense but she wasn't sure what to make of them.

Here she was just a little older than eighteen and just starting out in her new found adult life living in the dorms and going to college. The only thing left tying her to her girlhood was her virginity.

It wasn't like she hadn't thought of it before.

She didn't want to sound cliched but there was no desire on her part to die intact, in a matter of speaking.

The old joke about the headstone of a virgin saying returned unopened always ran around her head at night.

Not that she dwelled on her death. No. But she was more realistic then her friends realized. The painful fact was she was going to go to an early grave prepared for it or not. It was just a fact about Slayers. And while she could and did fight as hard as she could to keep it from happening it didn't mean she should have to give up the little experiences that life was about.

And wasn't sex one of those things?

Which was why she was at this boring frat party, only the second she'd been too (and hurray for there not being any giant snakes), with Parker. The week they'd seen each other was not very eventful but he had made an effort and he was a nice guy.

Buffy sighed into her drink hoping that he would want to leave soon. Not that she wasn't having fun.

Okay maybe she wasn't.

At least with the loud music she didn't have to focus on a conversation instead she could let her mind drift. It wasn't like she didn't have problems boy did she ever. She thought getting rid of her soul sucking roomate would have made things a little easier. She was wrong.

She loved that Willow was rooming with her now it was just that they weren't as close as they used to be. Buffy wasn't sure if it was because they were in college or if the time they could be spending together doing not Slayer related activities was taken up by Oz. Not that she didn't deserve to have happy time with Oz it was just Buffy could feel her slipping away more and more.

And Xander was just as bad. Or worse. With him not there with them during the day it seemed the only time she saw her Xander shaped friend was at official Scoobie meetings. There was a distance there that was almost tangible.

Giles was no help either considering the depression he was sinking into. Oh he tried to hide it but he wasn't a very convincing actor. She knew he felt adrift in his life now having lost his job and still associating with only her and the other scoobies. He was practically screaming for companionship and she didn't know what to do about it.

Not to mention the whole Mom being lonely because her only child had finally left the nest.

The only person she didn't have to be concerned about had made an exit out of her life last May. It wasn't like she really needed Angel around and while it was true that the love they had shared had faded for her during the whole Angelus affair he was very much still in love with her. Or the idea of her. She wasn't sure if it was the Slayer he was attracted to or the fact that she was still a virgin. He'd finally been honest with her though and admitted being near her was painful to him. Knowing they were never going to be was tough for him to take.

When he'd decided to leave Buffy wasn't necessarily glad but she was kind of relieved. The tension between the two of them was still obvious and she always felt bad whenever she got the urge to see if she could meet someone else. After all wasn't Angel doing the right thing standing by her even though they were only friends? The guilt for him only got worse though after the whole Faith thing and sure she'd almost died again when she let Angel drink from her but she was trying to save a friend. Not the first time she had put herself on the line for that.

So even though it was hard to say goodbye to someone who had been a big part of her life for so long she wasn't that sad to see him go.

Occasional thoughts of Angel always led to the brief thought of the other vampire she had known. It wasn't like her and Spike were friends and it wasn't like she was all yay for him to go back to mortal enemy status either. They had connected in a wierd way during his last visit. And even if she was sure she would never see him again she still thought of him fondly.

Well as fondly as you could think of someone who still wanted you dead but gave you a hug because he didn't know what else to say when he left. And while the guilt she felt the last time Spike had fled with his super ho in tow hadn't changed she wasn't feeling it as strongly. Maybe she was getting used to the idea that she wasn't able to save everyone.

Or maybe it was just the fact that deep down she knew without a doubt that she couldn't stake Spike. Not to say that if the fate of the entire world hung upon his dusting that she wouldn't do it but the usual stakeage? She so couldn't go through with it.

Her feelings about the blond vamp were still a mystery to her though. She had no idea why she reacted to him like this and why he acted the way he did around her. Never in her career as a slayer had she run across an enemy that confounded her so. Most demons were pretty straightforward.

Not Spike though. A demon that cared about the world and could love even if he loved a demon even if that bitch was beneath him. Knowing Spike had thrown her ideas about demons into serious question. There were a few times that she had turned a blind eye on some demon walking down the street. Listening carefully for the usual sounds of a struggle before they disappeared into the night.

She was pretty sure it wasn't the right thing to do. But everything she had been taught first by Merrik and then by Giles kept getting proven wrong. She couldn't help but think that the council's teachings about all demons being bad was wrong too.

Truth be told there were a few demons she knew that never caused any trouble. She didn't bother with them when they occasionally crossed her path either on the street or when they were hanging out at Willy's. Not that she told the others about it. Not like they would even understand. The prejuidice that they had against anything demonic kept her tongue in check. And it wasn't like they were really on the front lines anymore. She couldn't remember the last time one of them had even patrolled with her. Sure for the big things she could count on her friends but the day to day slaying? Well the saying the Slayer fights alone was sure to have been developed just for her.

So here she was at one of the most uninteresting parties ever hoping to lose herself in the music if only for a little while. And maybe later to lose herself in the moment with the guy she kind of liked. There was no need to sugar coat it in her own mind.

He really was just a guy.

A guy she might want to focus on because he was talking to her. Oops.

"-want to dance?"

She was saved from having to answer though by a sight she would never have expected.

All in all if things were different she would have been crumpled on her knees in hysterical laughter unfortunately things weren't different. It wasn't the fact that by some quirky twist of fate Harmony was a vampire. Unfortunately the little altercation between her and Willow the other night had gotten that message to her loud and clear. It wasn't even the sight of the out of it frat boy draped over her shoulder in what she guessed was the vampire form of take out.

What was surprising and more then a little funny was the sight of the blond by her side. And although she hadn't expected to see him ever again the sight of him obviously with the worlds most ditsiest vampire ever was just so damned amusing.

**********

There were times in his unlife that Spike was sure the Powers no matter who they were were just fucking with him.

Here he was in a town he hated after suffering the world's most painful and humiliating break up with his girl. If that wasn't the icing on the cake he had to make a play for the bimbo at his side just so he wouldn't have to search for a place to stay. No he managed to begin to over come those obstacles and even came up with a plan to finally kill his mortal enemy.

True the hate he felt for her now wasn't as personal as he would like it to be but they both had their respective roles on the planet Dru's ramblings aside. And if he took in account what Drusilla said he was even more sure that the Slayer needed to die. Not just because she was the Slayer but because she was Buffy as well.

There were times that he understood that his particular obsession with the petite blond wasn't normal. Knew that he was making himself crazy. But mostly it didn't matter. The thought of not only besting his third Slayer but the best he'd ever faced drove him.

It didn't hurt that there was more to her than met the eye either.

Every confrontation with her was a surprise and while yes he did want her dead and by his hand at that he couldn't help but think he would be awfully bored without her around. And there was one thing Spike couldn't stand it was being bored. In a century of unlife he had never met her equal and the thought of her being totally gone bothered something deep inside of him.

Not enough that he couldn't push the feeling away but it was there nonetheless.

The point was if he killed her at least she wouldn't be something he kept obsessing over.

It was true he knew that he thought of her more than was healthy. Hell Dru had called him on it when they were still in Sunnydale. And ultimately it was the reason Dru gave for why she left him.

But if the Slayer was dead then his obession with all things Slayer related would stop.

He wasn't sure if he could ever get Dru back. The last time he tried had been really bad and she had shredded his heart pretty good. He wasn't really sure he wanted to go right back to her as it was. No the point was that the Slayer would be dead.

So he'd dragged his sorry ass back to the town that had seen more of his failures and heartbreaks then any other and began to plot. And plot he did in between Harmony's excessive whining and nagging.

The plan itself was flawless all he had to do was stay under the Slayer's radar until he found what was buried in those caverns and then he could kill her at his leisure.

Instead of finally getting his treasure out though he was stuck at some stupid frat party with a bunch of pissant little flop top boys trying to placate the bit of tail he was shacking up with so she would shut the hell up. He'd finally convinced her to grab the nearest drunken idiot and get the hell out of there when his eyes clashed with an emerald gaze he would recognize anywhere.

*********

"Spike." While her greeting was short there was no hostility in her voice. No there were no really hostile feelings to be dredged up by her for the vamp. Even if he was back again after he said he wouldn't.

She watched him blink slowly in reaction to her presence before he seemed to remember that they were not alone. And really the menacing grimace Harmony was trying to pull off had her wanting to chuckle.

So no she wasn't upset to see her old arch nemesis. On the other hand she was mighty curious as to why he was back not to mention toting around a blond bimbo in place of his loony brunette.

Spike stared at the Slayer for a minute taking in the familiar green eyes that looked at him with interest and a bit of warmth. He had to stomp on the warm feeling that started in the pit of his stomach as he took in her gaze. Glancing away quickly he took in the slab of meat at her side. Nothing remarkable about the boy at all he'd killed a thousand like him over the last century or so. Clean cut with boyish decent looks he was nothing to write home about. What Spike did notice about the boy was the way he was possesively hovering near the Slayer. Like she was a bit of fluff he was going to sink his teeth into later.

The type was nothing new under the sun, he was really interested in getting one thing from the Slayer. He was the kind of guy that irritated Spike. Not that he hadn't thought or done the same thing now that he was free to do so. But this one was definitely a predator looking for the freshest type of kill. And the Slayer's innocence was still almost tangible in the air.

He didn't answer her call of his name vocally just gave her a nod in acknowledgement.

She wondered at the suddenly untalkative Spike before she decided she needed to deal with other things first.

"Hey Parker would you mind getting me a drink I just need to talk to an old friend of mine for a moment."

Buffy noticed the hestitation in the boy's eyes before he agreed to go. It wasn't like she had said anything damning in his presence about said old friend but she could guess that his imagination was running wild.

"Okay how about the two of you put that guy on the couch huh?" Her voice was pure steel now that she didn't have an audience.

Spike shrugged as he took in the Slayers stance. She wasn't wanting to fight here but he knew that she would protect the idiot they were holding no matter who was watching. And holding on to the wanker was leaving them vulnerable to whatever tactic she threw at them.

"Who died and made you Queen Bee?" Harmony sneered. "I didn't listen to you in high school and you're still a loser."

"Oh but the difference now is that we aren't in high school any more Harmony. Now instead of you being Miss Popular you're just a vamp and I'm the Slayer. Guess which of us would walk away after a fight."

The glare Harmony gave her was easily dismissed as she watched the unconcious form lowered onto the couch. When both vampires turned to face her she had to give Spike a small smile.

"And here I thought you said you weren't ever coming back here again." She shook her head in mock annoyance. "Let's take this outside shall we?"

Spike just shrugged at the suggestion it would be better to be outside and not so confined in the frat house. He wasn't sure what the Slayer was thinking yet but so far she hadn't seemed very threatening. And truth be told she'd almost been hospitable to him. Strange girl the Slayer. If she only knew what he had planned for her. Of course running into her now only made the need for him to find the gem all that more urgent. She couldn't find out what he was planning before he got the chance to off her as he'd imagined.

Seeing Harmony's reluctance to follow the Slayer's suggestion Spike reached out for her arm before gripping it tightly to steer her outside before she could protest.

He didn't think it would be that much of a stretch that he would have to use Harmony as a diversionary tactic. In fact he was hoping that the brainless twit would be so aggravating that it gave him enough time to get away.

Once out the front door Buffy let out a long and tortured sigh. The night was not turning out as she had suspected it would. Although why she was surprised she wasn't sure.

"So before you tell me why you're back in Sunnydale I need to know just how close you and her are."

The strangeness of the Slayer's request was probably what prompted his blurted out response.

"I just met the bint the other day."

He didn't have time to think before a gigantic smile crossed his enemies face and she had withdrawn the stake from her back. He'd only seen that look on the Slayer's face on a few occasions but it didn't mean he was unsure about what it meant,.

Harmony however was too preoccupied being angry about his answer to pay attention to the danger she was now in. Not until the Slayer told her anyway.

"I have to say you as a vamp is really not an improvement. Lucky for you I can take care of that little problem."

It was a good thing the survival instinct was just that for it seemed to give the blond a chance to back away from the deadly killer before turning to look at Spike.

"Yeah well you just wait until Spikey finds that gem of amara thing then we'll see who's the loser." The angry growl that followed her words made Harmony turn suddenly to look at the vamp she was hoping was going to save her.

Spike couldn't stop the growl from issuing from his throat if he wanted to. He should have known the bimbo would blab his plans. And to the Slayer no less. His element of surprise was seriously compromised at this point. While the Slayer might not get the reference now her watcher definately would.

"Blondie Bear?" There was a tremor in her high squeaky voice that almost tempted Spike to help the idiot out. Unfortunately for her it was around the nickname that reminded him that he would be gladly rid of her decent lay or not. He could only put up with so much.

However the name seemed to stop the Slayer in her tracks.

"Blondie Bear?!" The guffaws that followed made Spike cringe with embarrasment.

"You can't seriously let her call you that?" The disbelief in the young woman's voice made Spike flinch. Technically she was right any self respecting man wouldn't stand being addressed in such a way and he was a vampire. A master at that.

"You got a point Slayer or we just out here to take a look at the stars?"

Somehow even with the threat of her death Harmony still found the time to get that they were picking on her.

"Are you just going to let her talk to me like that?" Gone was the fear that had been present seconds before. In its place was a demand that Spike defend this chit.

Something he wasn't prepared to do.

Oh she was a decent lay of course but he really didn't give a damn about her. Hell the Slayer had more of a chance that he would defend her.

"Actually Harmony and I have some business if you wouldn't mind Spike."

He had no doubt about what business it might be and found himself in the reluctant position of poinitng out just how visible they were to the rest of the people at the party. The attention was something he and the Slayer didn't need.

"MIght want to wait on that business until you're somewhere a little less public Slayer. 'Sides not like you couldn't find the chit easily enough again."

Buffy looked back at the Frat house silently cursing. True there was no one looking at them right then but knowing her luck there would be someone coming out the door the second she was ready to stake Harmony. And that was really not good.

Placing her stake back into the waistband of her pants she let out a sigh.

"FIne. Just remember Harmony that I kill you're kind and I do it very well. If you don't want to be made an example out of since your attack on Willow then you better get out of my town by the next nightfall."

Maybe it was her words or the look in her eye but Harmony took a look first at Spike and back at Buffy. Whatever synapses still functioned in the bimbo seemed to kick into gear and she pivoted quickly before running off into the night.

Both of them watched her retreating figure fade away in the distance before turning to look at each other.

"So." Buffy wasn't sure what to say to Spike. She wasn't sure just what was going through his mind. And while the reason for his last visit to Sunnydale hadn't been to kill her it didn't mean that things between them had changed.

As far as she knew he was still the vamp that was going to be snacking on the local populace. A practice she was in no way encouraging. This was her turf after all.

Spike however was just amused at the death threat to Harmony of all vamps. She had to be the worst excuse for a vampire there ever was.

It didn't change that his free ride was gone however and seeing how much he had to put up with the bint the fact that she had taken off left him high and dry. He was not likely to find an easier target in town then she had been. Plus the minions were all hers. And they weren't thrilled with his type of control. A master he may be but the writing was on the wall as far as the minions were concerened Harmony had been their leader and now with her gone he was going to have to do things on his own.

Normally this wouldn't bother him, in fact minions were a pain in the ass that required too much work but he had a goal here and the extra hands were needed with the excavation of the caves.

Thus he began to feel a little angry. It was no more then he would expect to happen to any of his plans but it still frustrated him because he was so close. Another day on the outside was really all he needed.

"Ok I'm all ears Spike. Why the hell did you come back here?"

"Told you before Slayer I go where I please."

Buffy let out a tiny sigh.

"Look Spike I really don't have the time right now to deal with the kind of baggage you always drag to town. Do me a favor and leave town tonight and I'll pretend like you never popped up."

Spike started to dig around his duster for his smokes wanting something to do with his hands before he gave in to his impulse to start the dance with her once again. He needed to be patient and get that gem.

"No can do Slayer. As much as this place lacks small town charm I've got my reasons for sticking around."

Buffy searched the blue eyes in front of her looking beyond the surface trying desperately to find any hidden motives. What she couldn't see bothered her. It wasn't like she knew what he was up to but the feeling of dread began to settle in her stomach. Instinctively she knew that whatever his reasons were they weren't going to be positive for her.

The thought disappointed her a bit. If anything she was hoping she never had to fight Spike again. She had hoped deep down that she had seen the last of him when he left for South America. For him to show up in town almost garaunteed that they were going to fight.

As selfish as it was she would have perferred her last memories of the vamp to be how they left things a few months ago. Not having to dust him or worse getting her ass kicked by his hands. She would never let him win of course but even if they fought to a draw as they often did she would never be able to recall the nice feeling she had been harboring for him since he had last left town.

Spike fought to keep everything he was feeling from showing in his eyes. He knew if he could just hold out a little longer he would be home free. The Slayer had no idea if he was friend or foe at this point and her sense of right and wrong was going to make sure he got away tonight. All he had to do was keep his mouth shut and his eyes from giving away what he was feeling.

Instead he gave her his best smirk. Not the one that was sure to piss her off but the one that was slightly endearing. He could be charming if he tried. He just didn't want to try most of the time. And really there was no reason for him to be hostile right now. Not when his payoff was so close. Killing her would come soon enough.

In the meantime he had his glory in being the insturment of her death to look forward to. Soon he would prove to Dru just who was the baddest monster out there. With her or without her.

"So what now Slayer? Bit of the rough and tumble or we going to sit out here chattin' all night?"

Buffy looked back at the frat house once again and let out a deep sigh. She was still in the same boat she had been with Harmony too many witnesses. In fact she needed to get rid of Spike before Parker came looking for her they had already been out here for too long.

"How about a rain check? I don't think either of us are in the right mood for this." She took a step closer to him before searching his blue eyes once more.

She still couldn't tell what he was hiding.

"You want me to check my calendar see when I can fit you in?" He gave her a mocking leer.

She fought to contain the eye roll that wanted to come out.

"Seriously Spike I have to get back inside."

"What to that simpering fool that's panting after you?" He was surprised at the words that slipped out of his mouth.

Buffy blinked at him in surprise. How the hell was she supposed to answer that? She wasn't willing to defend Parker hell she hardly knew the guy. And she was going to go inside with him. It wasn't like she didn't know what he was after she was with him for that reason.

The point was why would Spike even bring it up?

Spike was thinking up as many british curses as he could in his head. He had no idea at what random thought led to him saying that and there was no way he was going to figure it out. Best to leave it the hell alone.

"I think we should call it a night don't you?" She asked the startled vamp. The confusion he felt was written pretty plainly on his face and she really really didn't want to know what he was thinking.

All Spike could do was nod in response to her question. He was too busy blocking all thoughts from his brain.

"Good. Just if I see you in town later we are going to have a confrontation, got it?" Buffy desperately wanted him to take the hint and get out of town.

Her words snapped Spike back to the situation before him.

"Oh we'll have a confortation pet. That's a gaurantee." This time he gave her the full out smirk. "Until then I suppose." He turned away from her trying not to celebrate his close call in front of her.

Buffy watched his black clad figure blend back into the night and let out a small sigh. This was going to be trouble she just knew it. Shaking her head she headed back into the party.
21 by Gerbnednav
Author's Notes:
Hi all no your eyes are not decieving you I have finally updated. Yes it is a miracle. Hopefully this extremely long pause will not happen again. TTFN and thanks for reading!
Morning light caused Buffy to rub her tired eyes but it was the sound of the chirping birds that convinced her to open them.

Taking in her surroundings she had to let out the extremely sad sigh that built in her chest. Memories from the night before clamored for attention in her tired mind. She didn't move and held her breath before letting them play out before her eyes.

The party had been a bust. It wasn't that it changed from when she left it but she had. Dealing with Harmony and then Spike put the thought of trying to enjoy herself right out of her skull. Thankfully Parker had been understanding when she said she wanted to leave. And when he offered her someplace quiet to talk she gladly accepted.

When he chose his room for them to talk in she didn't think anything of it. After all where else were they going to go and have some privacy.

When he kissed her she couldn't help but think that it was very nice. Not as thrilling as kissing Angel had been but he was a decent kisser.

Naturally kissing led to french kissing which led to a bit of light petting. She didn't really mind that either. He wasn't being pushy and it was nice kind of just letting herself feel like she was connecting with someone else.

When he started to remove her shirt....

Well that's when things started to go wrong.

She knew that it wasn't enough. He wasn't what she had been looking for and truthfully she had known that all along. Just because she was hoping things would be okay didn't make it happen.

It just didn't feel right.

He was shocked when she pulled away from him before he could get it off. But it wasn't until she started to explain why that he got the hint.

Now even though she was still a virgin it wasn't like she didn't know the first thing about sex. Or how men reacted to it. Quite the contrary. Before she was called she'd been plenty sought after by boys and her friends had a bit of experience that they shared with her. So she knew to tread carefully. To let him down easy.

It took awhile but he finally seemed to realize that what he wanted wasn't going to be happening. And although he seemed very disappointed he did agree to call her in the morning.

Now she was lying awake thinking about not only her disastrous date but Spike's visit as well. There was something going on with the bleached menace and she was sure that it involved that gem Harmony had mentioned before running away. Spike's reaction to it made that definite.

She needed to know what the thing did and for that she needed to ask someone with answers.

**************



Okay so finding out the truth about what Spike had in mind was not fun. Nor was it something she would have expected the previously in your face vampire to try.

She listened patiently to the others' concern about his plans and she even remembered everything Giles had spouted about the gem's special qualities. But what she was really doing while she was sitting in her watcher's apartment was playing every encounter she ever had with Spike in her head.

Somewhere in all their dealings she had forgotten that he was a ruthless killer. Not that he was a killer no she always remembered that fact. And after their little rendezvous in the magic shop how could she ever deny it? No that he killed she never forgot.

What she seemed to have failed to remember was that he was not noble. It didn't matter that they had had an understanding before. His final goal was to kill her and he was going to use any method necessary to guarantee his success. The use of the gem of Amara cemented that fact in her mind.

Before she had believed that he was looking for a fair fight. And maybe he had been in the beginning.

But maybe after all the draws and close calls they had he decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. He wanted her dead period and it didn't matter how.

His hiring of the Order of Takara was her hint that things had changed. The problem was they hadn't really tried killing each other since she had saved him in the first place. They had threatened sure but there had been no fight.

Now it seemed that the fragile standoff they had maintained had come to an end and he was looking to destroy her quickly.

She was surprised to find herself disappointed with the thought.

Letting out a sigh she tried to steer her thoughts in a different direction. Parker had not called yet. True they had not agreed when he would call but her phone remained silent as did her answering machine. Buffy was trying not to obsess about that fact too much but since it was the only thing that could distract her from her thoughts about a certain vampire she wasn't having much luck.

Walking through the common area of campus she tried to enjoy that it was a warm sunny day. She glanced around her taking in the many students bustling too and fro to class and the others taking advantage of the weather and sitting in the grass. It was nice to be among them and have a sense of normality even if it was just brief.

She probably would have enjoyed it more if she hadn't just spotted a very familiar looking face being sucked on by someone she didn't recognize.

Walking quickly to the bench she stopped in front of them before clearing her throat.

********************

Spike froze at the sight in front of him. For the unlife of him he couldn't move and for once his breathing just stopped.

He even forgot the passing of time and just stared.

The way the cavern shimmered with reflected light made him want to gasp. Hues of gold played through sparkling gems providing a riot of color he had not witnessed since his long past human days.

Over the years he had seen a lot of wealth come and go in his own hands. This this was something entirely different.

Finally he blinked and began to move his chest rising and falling as if it had never stopped.

A delighted glee filled his being and he smiled large and wide in genuine pleasure.

This was all his. It didn't matter if someone else had helped him in the beginning as he had been correct the night before. Once the minions knew that Harmony wasn't coming back they had all slipped away. So he finished digging.

When he broke through the cavern he couldn't stop staring. Here he had not only succeeded in finding the Amara treasure he also had kept his plan from the Slayer and now he just had to find the gem before he could continue his plan.

Unlife was damn good.

*****************

It took a second clearing of her throat before he turned his eyes towards her. A brief span of time really but long enough that anger started to boil up from her gut.

"Oh hey Buffy. Katie this is Buffy, Buffy, Katie."

For some reason she found herself nodding politely to the other girl.

"I really can't talk to you right now Buffy, I'm kind of busy." The way he looked into the other girl's eyes left no doubt in Buffy's mind what he was busy doing. Or what he was hoping to be doing.

She didn't know why the thought angered her so much. It wasn't like she was emotionally attached to Parker quite the contrary. Admittedly she did like him but not so much that any deep feelings were beginning. Which would explain why she had backed off when he had tried to become intimate with her.

Still after telling her everything was fine last night and that he would call, seeing him with another girl was just salt in a wound. It wasn't that she thought he was all that, he had been just a cute seemingly sweet guy she thought she could have something physical with.

"Parker. I thought you were goanna call this morning?" She was proud that the question just sounded curious and not hurt.

"Yeah about that. Look Buffy you're a sweet girl and all but well I am just a guy." He shrugged at her.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I have needs Buffy and if you aren't willing to fill them then I've got to look elsewhere don't I?"

It was too much, she couldn't stop her eye roll, or the words that came out of her mouth.

"After a week? Are you serious?"

"Hey what can I say you were just taking too much work. I'd rather spend the time when I know a girl knows what she wants."

"After a week. Right so now your telling me you only bother with the easy girls."

"Hey!" The noise came from the formerly quiet Katie and Buffy had to gesture up and down indicating Parker.

He must have realized what he said because he immediately adopted a kicked puppy expression.

"Come on Katie are you going to listen to some sad little freshmen? I thought we meant more then that?"

"After a couple of hours?" Katie gave him her own eye roll. "I'm so out of here."

Buffy had to admire the way she never looked back at the jerk as she headed out of the commons.

"Damn it Buffy why'd you have to be such a bitch about it. You damned underclassmen are all the same. I should have known better to get involved with one of you. So innocent you all still have a stick up your ass when it comes to sex. If you ask me you should take it out and put it somewhere where it would be of more use. Maybe then you wouldn't be so frigid or bitchy."

In the arena of things that had been said to her the words were sorely lacking in causing her any pain. But they were a bit shocking which was why she just watched the idiot stomp away without saying anything in return. Plus it didn't matter anyway she was through with the bastard.

"Well that was pathetic even for you."

Buffy turned to see the bane of her existence standing with a smug expression on his face in bright sunlight.

***************

Spike was having a hard time focusing on what the twerp was saying to the Slayer through his glee. He was outside in broad day light wearing a gem that made him impossible to kill and there was his prey just a few yards off. He had wanted to surprise her but this well this was just perfect.

He could here the boy complaining about her and the words finally sank in.

Calling her frigid could only mean one thing. The little bitch had actually done it. Sold her innocence to some dorky kid that couldn't tell his dick from a hole in the wall.

And he didn't know why but Spike felt disappointed.

Somewhere in his mind he had believed her better than that. Not that she wasn't just a human girl but somehow her Slayerness led him to believe that she was above all these baser things. Which of course he knew was ridiculous. The only reason she had never slept with his Grandsire after all was that he had cheated on her.

And he didn't know why he was thinking about this now. What the hell did it matter any way? She was just going to be dead.

But rubbing it in was something he couldn't stop from doing.

"That was pathetic even for you."

The shock he read in her eyes was delicious. Only there was also a look of regret and disappointment he saw there. Something that his gut said had nothing to do with the boy that just left and everything to do with him.

"So found your gem did you."

There was no question in her voice just a bland statement of fact. And that pissed him off he wanted the damn thing to be a surprise but like he had thought apparently her watcher had filled her in.

Buffy didn't need to see the look in his eyes to know that he was put out about her knowing his little trick. He should know better by now though, how many times had info from Giles foiled his latest plan? Silly vampire.

And here it was the day she had been dreading since she had watched him walk out of her kitchen door almost two years ago. He was finally here to try to kill her of this she was certain.

Every good thing she remembered about the vampire was now in jeopardy. This took every truce they'd shared and every compassionate thing she'd ever done for him and ground them into nothing. And even though she had known deep down inside that this day would happen she still felt incredibly sad that it would end here and now.

And end it would. She was going to have to kill him for sure.

Such a pity that she had spent all this time trying to save him only to kill him with her own hands.

Spike watched the flash of sadness streak through her eyes and knew she was thinking about him. Knew and didn't like the pity she was showing. Didn't like the way her disapproval played on his nonexistent conscience.

Pissed him off matter of fact.

So throwing the first punch wasn't that hard. Well it was a hard punch but it didn't bother him in the least.

She rocked back with the force of his right to her face and felt herself start to shut down. Her mind quieted about who she was facing and focused on her need to stay alive. With him having that stupid gem she was going to have to keep on her toes.

So instead of seeing the smirk on his face or the glimmer in his eyes she focused on the next block where her next punch would land where her next kick would go.

It was exhausting really she knew that if she miscalculated and got to close or to confident he would end her quickly. They had fought often enough before for her to know his style but not enough to know if he had ever fully let himself fight her. In the past they had always been interrupted. Their fights had been dirty ruthless and quick. Something always had gotten in the way.

Spike was grinning from ear to ear. The fight itself was glorious she was hitting all out and he had to focus. She was giving him everything she had and it was marvelous.

He didn't know how they managed to cover as much distance as they had but he could hear the race of her heart even with the thud of fist striking flesh echoing around them.

The sound was music to his ears.

She was getting tired.

Buffy fought not only the damned vampire but her own bodies responses. They had been going at it quite awhile and usually she would be doing fine but the emotional upheaval of the night before between her apprehension about Spike and the thing with Parker she hadn't gotten much rest. Add to that the her full school day the latest talk with Giles and she knew her stamina was not where it needed to be. She needed to end this and end it quickly.

Letting out a low chuckle he looked the now flushed Slayer over.

"So you let that wanker have a poke did you?"

It was a good thing that he wasn't expecting an answer because she was not only busy trying to stay out of his reach but was having difficulty translating his Spike speak.

"Couldn't have offered him much of ride if he wasn't willing to jump back on for free."

That statement let him land a solid punch to her face. In fact she had to blink to refocus back on the fight it was so far out in left field.

Now she hadn't thought he had heard all of their conversation but for him to get it totally wrong flabbergasted her. She wasn't sure if she should laugh and correct him or punch him harder. Maybe even a kick to the balls was in order.

Apparently he thought her silence signaled agreement because he just kept talking.

" 'Course someone told me once that you were pretty much a cold fish. Who was that now? Ahh yeah good ol' Angelus. Heard he took a runner on you too. Can't seem to keep them very interested."

And with those words a calm seemed to filter through Buffy's rage. The reaction the asshole was looking for was driven away by the fact that she knew without any doubt that she was not to blame for Angel's infidelity. It may have taken her two years to realize it but she knew deep down that there was nothing she could have or would have done differently.

Angelus' appearance would probably have happened with a far different set of circumstances.

It was true that given the heading they were on that she would have given herself to him eventually and there would have been no telling how horrible the loss of his soul would have been to her.

So Spike's words didn't set her into the rage he was probably counting on the kind where she would attack him recklessly leaving herself open and vulnerable. Instead she was just angry seething with the colder version of the emotion.

Cold enough for her to back up two steps from her drop her fighting stance and look him in the eye.

"Hello pot. Didn't your girlfriend of a century leave you after fucking someone else? Don't you think you might be the reason she was looking elsewhere?" She could see the rage flicker hotly in his eyes. "I mean shouldn't you be the last person to be talking about performance?"

It was almost like flipping a switch. The anger which froze inside of her and made her lash out in words in him burned like the hottest forest fire. His eyes bled over to the gold of his demon and he charged her.

Spike couldn't even process what the little bitch said before he tore after her. He saw everything drenched in red and not the pleasant variety that came with slitting her throat. Instead he found himself moving on instinct only knowing that he had to kill her.

Buffy had waited and now it was going to pay off. He had hoped to drag the fight out and let her tire out before making a fatal mistake. But she saw through his plan. Now she used it against him drawing him into a mindless rage that left him open and sloppy where before he was control and precision.

And damn if it wasn't working a little too well. His rage made him a bit stronger and a little faster so she worked harder to keep ahead of him. There was one small difference though. Now more of her hits were landing and more of her blocks were working. She got past his defenses easier each time.

Somewhere in the back of his mind he knew that he needed to regroup and regain control. Unfortunately the forefront of said mind was just shouting kill her and kill her now. He couldn't do it. Get the rage rebottled inside. The bint had struck an obvious nerve one that was still fresh and hadn't even begun to heal.

When she had finally landed two successive punches to his face and held his outstretched arm in her grasp he came crashing back into reality. The worn down fighter he had been hoping to face had never appeared. In her place was the fierce warrior before him.

Respect fought once again with his hate and he looked her in the eyes.

She stared back for what felt like an eternity, a time that she realized once again that he was going to live another day. Why couldn't she do it? Kill this one vampire that led to so much chaos in her life? What was it about him that she recognized but couldn't acknowledge in her conscious thoughts?

And she was disappointed with him and herself. She expected better from the both of them and yet felt helpless to follow the same script they were on. Every fiber in her being screamed not to do the one thing that was supposed to be like breathing for her. Here she was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and she was unable to slay the vampire she held in her grasp.

Her eyes finally left his and scanned the area around them quickly looking for the closest escape route for him.

She swung him around so that he was looking at the sidewalk where the manhole she had spotted was. Her fingers began to tug at the ring on his finger.

"Slayer you pull that off and we'll both burn." He growled at her knowing that he had once again lost to this little hellcat. And he hoped she killed him quickly because he was damned if he could face the humiliation again.

"No Spike we won't." Her voice was a tired sigh. "Once I get this thing off you need to run to that manhole over there got it?"

He turned his head and stared but this time she didn't meet his eyes and her expression was guarded.

"What?"

"Get out of town Spike and don't come back." When she said the last syllable she yanked hard and the ring came off in her hand.

He was running as soon as the ring was freed already starting to sizzle in the light.

"This isn't the end Slayer!" He yelled at her as he slipped in to the dark sewer safe from the sun.

"No it never is with you Spike." She responded quietly before turning to leave.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=17164