The More Things Change by Flibble
Summary: Buffy and William are best friends about to embark on their last year of high school. Seen all their lives as nerds Buffy decides they should both use the summer to transform themselves into 'date worthy material'. How will this joint transformation go? And how will they react to each other when they suddenly become all hot and sexy?

NOMINATED FOR 'BEST SAGA' AND 'BEST FANTASY' AT THE LOVE'S LAST GLIMPSE AWARDS!!!
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 38316 Read: 28488 Published: 02/22/2006 Updated: 08/04/2006

1. Ch 1 - Can't change overnight, but... by Flibble

2. Ch 2 - Preparations by Flibble

3. Ch 3 - About this whole image thing by Flibble

4. Ch 4 - Buffy's transformation by Flibble

5. Ch 5 - The new Buffy and William by Flibble

6. Ch 6 - The night continues by Flibble

7. Ch 7 - First time for everything by Flibble

8. Ch 8 - First day of school by Flibble

9. Ch 9 - Back to The Bronze by Flibble

10. Ch 10 - The fine art of sharing by Flibble

11. Ch 11 - Confrontations and realisations by Flibble

12. Ch 12 - Making up by Flibble

13. Ch 13 - Repercussions by Flibble

14. Ch 14 - Finding each other by Flibble

15. Ch 15 - Busted! by Flibble

16. Ch 16 - Late night conversation by Flibble

17. Ch 17 - First date by Flibble

18. Ch 18 - The things you find by Flibble

19. Ch 19 - The big decision by Flibble

20. Ch 20 - The perfect moment that wasn't by Flibble

21. Ch 21 - The next morning by Flibble

22. Ch 22 - Happy at last by Flibble

23. Epilogue by Flibble

Ch 1 - Can't change overnight, but... by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Hi guys. This is my very first high school fic. I got so excited when I first had this idea that I had to share it. I hope you enjoy. This story is dedicated to those of us who were actually considered nerds in high school and would have loved to do the whole make over thing and been seen differently. Thanks to Brat for taking the time to look over this chapter and encouraging me to post.
Chapter One

Buffy turned when she felt a tap on her shoulder, expecting to find William's smiling face behind her.

“Hey there Buffy,” a deep, masculine voice purred.

All the blood rushed to Buffy's face as she stared, dumbfounded, at the young man in front of her. I can't believe he knows my name.

Realising he was waiting for her to say something she attempted to kickstart her brain again. “Umm, h-hi Angel,” she stammered. Nervously she tucked her long, brown hair behind her ear, trying to smile without drawing attention to her braces.

He gave her a slow, sexy smirk and she felt her insides flutter. “I was just wondering if you have a date for Riley's end-of-school party tomorrow night.”

“Oh.” Buffy felt embarrassment fill her as she answered, “I kind of haven't...umm...been invited.” She swallowed heavily as she stared at him, hope blossoming unbidden in her chest. Could it be that he's really going to ask me?

Angel looked shocked at her admission. “You really haven't been invited?” When she shook her head he continued, “Wow. I guess that must be because you're such a geek.”

Suddenly laughter erupted from the other side of the hall and Buffy realised that Riley Finn and his girlfriend Cordelia Chase had been watching them the whole time.

Buffy looked back up at Angel to find him trying half-heartedly to contain his mirth. She bit her bottom lip and cast her eyes down as she fought the tears that pricked the back of her eyes. The spark of hope that had glimmered so briefly in her chest died painfully.

Angel took her hand in his and she cringed, filled with shame as a delighted shiver ran up her arm. “We'll try not to have too much fun without you.” With a leer he placed a gentle kiss on the back of her hand.

“Leave her alone Angel.” Buffy started as William's voice sounded behind her. With a jerk she pulled her hand from Angel’s, thankful for her best friend's timely arrival.

Angel simply snorted in the face of William's anger. “What are you gonna do about it Billy Boy?” he laughed. “Torture me by reciting one of your poems?”

The three friends started off down the hall, still laughing, when another girl joined them. “What have you been up to my Angel?” she asked as she greeted her boyfriend.

“Just playing with the lower beings Dru. You want a turn?”

Druscilla Black cast her eyes briefly over Buffy before her gaze landed on William. Buffy heard William gasp when Dru gave him a small enigmatic smile before declaring, “This one's time has yet to come.”

William was frozen, barely able to breath under the intense gaze of this dark beauty. Unable to resist, he let his eyes wander down her curvaceous form. He longed to touch her smooth pale skin; to run his fingers through her long, black tresses. If only…

Without another word, Dru turned and led the group out the front door of the school.

After they were gone Buffy took a deep breath and turned to look at William, only to find him still staring at the door through which Dru and the others had disappeared.

“Will?” She waved a hand in front of his face. “Earth to Will.”

Snapping out of his trance he mumbled, “Huh...what?”

Buffy laughed and shook her head, before returning to the task of cleaning out her locker. “Come on Romeo.” She smiled as she took his arm and started to lead him out of the building. “School's over for the summer, which means a solid few months of freedom from those vultures, and there is much ice cream to be eaten.”

**********

A few weeks later Buffy Summers stood in front of her mirror, staring at her perfect teeth. The braces she'd been wearing for the last 18 months were finally gone. Her flawlessly straight pearly whites gleamed. Now if only I could change everything else, she thought to herself. Looking at herself with a critical eye she saw dull brown hair pulled back in a plain ponytail. Her face was pretty enough but nothing to make guys drool. She never really bothered to learn how to apply make-up properly, and so rarely wore it. Her body was slim, with all the right curves, but she was always self conscious about it and spent most of her time in baggy clothes so as to not draw attention to herself. All in all it was a pretty dowdy package as far as she was concerned.

Suddenly William appeared in the mirror as he moved to stand behind her. “What's wrong Buffy?” he asked, concern marring his features.

Buffy sighed unhappily. “I was just wondering what it will feel like to graduate from high school without ever having been on a date.”

“What are you talking about? You've still got another full year to go. You'll have plenty of dates before you graduate.”

Buffy turned to look her friend in the eye. “That's what I've been telling myself for the past two years Will. The way things are going it's never going to happen.” Her eyes turned watery and she hurried to brush away the tears. “I'm a helpless case.”

“That's ridiculous pet,” William scoffed. “You're smart and you're gorgeous. Just because Angel O'Connor is too dunce to see a good thing when it's staring him right in the face–”

“Angel O'Connor is an arsehole,” Buffy interrupted.

William flashed her his 'how stupid do you think I am' look. “You may know full well what a prancing git he is but that doesn't stop you from wanting him to want you.”

Buffy's face went up in flames as William voiced her secret wish. She'd had no idea anybody knew she had a crush on Angel. But she figured she probably should know better than to think she could get anything past William. They had been best friends since the first day of high school.

“Well what about you,” she countered. “You've been mooning over Druscilla for months now.”

It was William's turn to blush as a silly grin appeared. “I can't help it. I just feel this connection between us. Like if only she took the time to get to know me, we could really mean something to each other. You know?”

Buffy smiled gently. “Yeah, I know. I don't know that Druscilla would be right for you, but I know what you mean.” With a great sigh she flung herself down on her bed. “Oh Will. We make a great pair don't we?”

William groaned aloud in dismay and stretched out beside her. “Yeah pretty much. It's not like people like them will ever notice a pair of dorks like us.”

They looked at each other, understanding and comfort passing easily between them.

Buffy started to giggle. “Don't you wish we had a magic wand and we could be all beautiful and popular and then Angel and Dru would fall all over themselves vying for our attention.”

William chuckled at the visions that filled his head. “Somehow I don't think that sort of change happens overnight.”

Buffy's giggles died abruptly and she looked at William, suddenly scrutinising his light brown curls and wire-rimmed glasses. She sat up, turning to face William on to bed, “Maybe not overnight. But what about over say, a couple of months?”

William frowned in confusion, responding with a very eloquent, “Huh?”

Jumping up from the bed Buffy began to pace as she got excited by her idea. “We have two months before we go back to school. That means we have two full months to turn ourselves into date worthy material.”

William looked at her warily. “You really think we should change who we are?”

“No silly,” Buffy replied, rolling her eyes. Plopping back down beside him she made her case. “You know as well as I do that the sort of stuff that makes kids popular is all superficial surfacey stuff. It's all about the hair and clothes and attitude.

“Will, we don't have to change. Just what we look like, and how we react to the popular crowd. Braces made my teeth look better, this is just taking that further.”

Seeing that William's brain was ticking over as he thought about it Buffy fell silent, a big grin lighting up her face.

Finally William looked up and Buffy felt her excitement growing at the new sparkle she saw in his eyes. “Do you really think we could do it?”

Giggling happily Buffy threw her arms around him and gave him a big hug. “Absolutely. Oh Will this is going to be great.” Pulling back she looked him in the eyes before saying, “Just remember, we are two of the brainiest kids in that school. If we can't pull this off then it's just not possible.”

Finding her excitement contagious William smiled and gave a decisive nod. “Alright love. You've convinced me. I'm in.”
Ch 2 - Preparations by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much to everyone who has reviewed so far. This is the best response I've ever had to a first chapter and it's really put a huge smile on my face. I hope you continue to enjoy the story. Thanks again to Brat for looking over this chapter.
Chapter Two

Buffy nervously straightened her skirt for the dozenth time as she entered the store. Skimpy shirts and low-rider jeans mocked her from every side and she wondered how she'd ever manage to wear any of these clothes in public, let alone sell them.

While excitedly making plans for their upcoming joint metamorphosis a few days earlier, Buffy and William had quickly realised that the transition from class geeks to stud muffins was going to come with a hefty price tag. So they figured they would kill two birds with one stone by getting jobs that would also help them in their goal. William was, at this very moment, being interviewed for a job at a construction site. He figured the manual labour would help him bulk up. And Buffy?

Well, here she stood, in one of the mall's trendiest fashion shops. Looking like a complete idiot, she thought to herself. Taking a deep breath Buffy approached one of the shop assistants and asked to speak to the manager about a job.

You want to work here?” the girl asked incredulously, after giving her the once over.

“Yes,” Buffy replied awkwardly, fighting the urge to bolt out of the store as soon as the woman's back was turned.

When Buffy saw the manager walking toward her, she almost cringed at the patronising look on the woman's face.

“So you're looking for a job?” she asked as she looked Buffy up and down. Suddenly Buffy wished she'd worn a shorter shirt, a more flirty shirt. And she really should have done something more with her hair.

“What makes you think this is the place for you?” the manager asked curtly.

Quietly Buffy stammered, “Well, I'm a hard worker and I'm willing to learn.”

“Pardon my saying so but you look like you just stepped out of an old woman's department store. Have you ever worn clothes like the ones we sell here?”

Glancing again at the flimsy material covering the walls and the smooth bare midriffs of the other girls in the store Buffy shook her head. “No, but I want to change that. I want to look like other girls.”

“Uh-huh,” the manager replied, chuckling to herself. “That's great sweetie, but I need girls who know what they're doing. I'm afraid you're going to have to change and grow on your own time.” With that, she spun on her high heel and sauntered away, hips swinging.

**********

Buffy stirred two heaped tablespoons of sugar into her coffee and took a big bite out of her chocolate brownie. Stupid fashion victims, she thought, pouting.

Suddenly William appeared in the seat across her, coffee in hand. “You know love if the wind changes your face will be stuck like that forever.”

Seeing his barely contained excitement, Buffy forced herself to smile, not wanting to spoil his good mood. “Looks like you had a good morning. I take it the interview went well?”

William nodded happily, a curly lock of hair falling in his eyes. “It went great.” He pushed his hair back impatiently and adjusted his glasses. “I met the head of the carpentry crew, Xander Harris, he's only a few years older than us really. At first he didn't think I'd be up for the hard work, but I did my ‘you won’t be disappointed’ speech and eventually he decided to give me a chance. I start on Monday and I'll be working four days a week throughout the summer.”

“You're such a born orator Will,” Buffy told him with a grin. “You could talk anybody into anything with that mouth of yours.”

“Well I'm hoping to use it for more than just talking pet,” he drawled in a low voice.

Two sets of eyes suddenly widened at his words, and then they both burst out laughing.

“What the hell was that?” Buffy asked, trying to stifle her giggles.

William's face was bright red as he replied, “I have no idea.”

Buffy arched a brow at him. “Well well. Give him one win and he turns into Mr Flirty Man. At this rate you'll have the girls swooning in no time.”

“I don't know about that but I suppose I have to start somewhere.” Taking a sip of his coffee he asked, “So how did you do? Have you too joined the ranks of the employed?”

The grin quickly left Buffy's face and she stared uncomfortably into her coffee cup. “Not so much.” Buffy went on to tell him about her experience in the fashion store.

“Pack of wankers,” William muttered angrily, when she was done. Reaching out to squeeze her hand he implored, “But Buffy, you can't give up just because you were turned down by one snotty store.”

“Five stores Will,” Buffy murmured, refusing to meet his gaze.

“What?”

She sighed. “I went to four other stores after that one. Some were a little more polite about it than others but they all had pretty much the same reaction.” She looked up miserably, her eyes a little teary. “Only one of them actually laughed. That's something I suppose.”

William swore under his breath, then suddenly he brightened. “Wait a minute. When I was talking to Xander, he mentioned that his fiancée owns a store downtown. It was...umm...” He paused for a moment. “Oh, The Magic Box. I know it's not a clothing store but maybe you could get a job there.”

When Buffy looked doubtful he added, “I know she's looking for someone. Xander kind of suggested I apply there before I managed to convince him I can be useful for lugging something heavier than books.” He looked a little embarrassed by that admission and Buffy squeezed his hand, smiling in reassurance.

“I guess it can't hurt to try,” she said with a shrug. “What's one more rejection to add to the list.”

William paced on the sidewalk near the door to The Magic Box an hour later. He had a feeling if Buffy was turned down for this job, on top of all the others, she might be tempted to call off the whole plan. And the more he thought about it the more convinced he became that they could pull it off. A bell tinkled in the afternoon air and William looked up to see Buffy exiting the store. When she saw him a radiant smile lit up her face and she gave him a big thumbs up. William grinned back at her. Yes! His mind shouted. All systems a-go!
Ch 3 - About this whole image thing by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Thanks again for the great reviews. I'm really enjoying writing this story and it definitely goes quicker when I see that people are enjoying it.
Chapter Three

“I’ve been thinking about the whole image thing.”

Buffy looked up from the magazine she was flipping through to watch William as he examined himself in front of her mirror. He’d raked his hands through his hair so that it was held back from his face. Wow. He really does have great cheekbones, she mused as she sipped at her Diet Coke. She knew how hard William had been working over the past month, both at his construction job and with her at the gym, and as her eyes drifted down over the hard lines of his body she realized it was really beginning to show. Yummy, she thought to herself, then blinked in surprise at her own thoughts.

The gym time had also done wonders for Buffy. Her already slim form was now nicely toned. She had also spent a couple of days each week sunbaking in her backyard, giving her skin a healthy golden glow. At last she was grateful for the bikini her mother had brought home for her ages ago. All in all Buffy felt stronger and more confident in her own body than she ever had, and she knew it was the same for William.

Now, with only two weeks left until the start of school, they both knew it was time to get serious about cosmetic changes. Which had led to this afternoon. Buffy was sprawled comfortably on her bed, surrounded by the latest fashion magazines, while William stared at himself in her mirror, pondering his next move.

“What have you been thinking?” she asked, finally responding to his comment about image.

“I think I need one – an image. Something memorable you know? Somehow I don’t think a simple haircut and a couple of new clothes will be enough.”

Sitting up, Buffy pondered for a while before saying, “You’re right. And I don’t see you as the sports jock.” She giggled at the image that evoked.

“Bloody oath no!” William exclaimed with disgust. “I’d rather grab a good book than have to sit through some sodding football game.”

Buffy smiled at his complete lack of interest in anything to do with sport. “That’s my Will,” she joked.

William plopped down beside her and looked at her anxiously. “So what do I do?”

Raising her eyebrows in surprise Buffy asked, “You’re kidding right? How can you not know this one? Have you never seen a teen movie?”

At William’s blank look she rolled her eyes. “You are going to be…” she paused for effect, “the bad boy with a heart of gold.”

Raucous laughter filled the room and William nearly fell off the bed. “You don’t actually think that will work do you?” He managed to get out between guffaws. “Buffy, I’m known through that whole school as William the Bloody Awful Poet. No one is going to mistake me for a bad boy.”

“Trust me on this,” Buffy assured him. “You know I’ve always adored your poetry. The other girls have just never bothered to take the time to really read it. To see it the way I have. But when it’s all wrapped up in mystery and leather? They will all be wishing you’d write about them. Plus, with the new look and everything they’ll all be dying to know what happened over the summer to change you. It will be a great excuse for drastic changes. Lots of black clothes and stuff. You can make the whole, ‘I don’t care what I look like’ cliché work totally in your favour.” She could see William was thinking about it now and knew she’d pretty much won this round.

Running her fingers through his hair she murmured, “I will miss these curls though.”

Turning to look at her William smiled a little sadly. “If all this works out the way we’ve planned, everything is going to be different for both of us,” he said quietly.

With a small sigh Buffy nodded. “Yeah, it will.”

William reached out to tuck her hair behind her ear, sliding one finger back down her cheek. “I just don’t want things to change between us. I don’t want to lose you.”

Gripping his hand in hers she held his gaze steadily as she replied, “You’re not going to lose me. We just have to promise that no matter what happens, we’ll always be there for each other. Promise?”

William nodded firmly. “I promise.”

Suddenly he pulled her into a tight hug and she returned it fiercely. For long minutes they held each other, until the fear of what the future might hold was pushed back.

When they parted Buffy pulled William up from the bed. “Now come on,” she said as she led him out of her room. “We’re going to go rent a copy of The Breakfast Club, which you will then watch without complaint. We’ll turn you into a bad boy yet.”

William came up close behind her and leaned down to purr into her ear, “Five more minutes behind your closed bedroom door and I could give you a little taste of just how bad I can be.”

Buffy shivered in response before her jaw dropped and she swung around to stare at him with wide eyes. “You’re doing that flirty thing again,” she squeaked accusingly.

He laughed at her sudden lack of composure. “Yeah well, practise makes perfect you know.”

“Hmph,” Buffy squeaked again before spinning on her heel and walking off, leaving a chuckling William to follow after her.

**********

Buffy sat staring at her breakfast cereal, a worried frown creasing her forehead. Her spoon meandered absently through her now soggy Corn Flakes.

“Is something wrong honey?”

Snapping abruptly out of her musings Buffy looked up to find her mother sitting across from her at the kitchen table.

“No Mom, I’m fine,” she replied a little too brightly.

Joyce sipped her coffee, watching as her daughter finished her breakfast. “So what are you doing today?”

Buffy smiled hesitantly. “I’m…umm…I’m going shopping.”

“Oh that sounds like fun. Shopping for anything in particular?”

Blushing a little Buffy muttered, “Everything actually.”

At Joyce’s questioning look Buffy explained. “I’m looking to do something a little different this year. Some new clothes, different hair, the whole bit. I’ve saved all the money I’ve earned at The Magic Box, and today is the day I go shopping.” Finishing her speech with a determined nod Buffy looked up to find her mother staring at her in shock. “Mom, are you still there?” she asked a little worriedly.

Joyce smiled suddenly, “Yes, of course. What brought this on Buffy?”

Shrugging, Buffy suddenly became fascinated with her fingernails. “I don’t know. I just feel like I’m missing out on stuff. I’ll be going to college next year and I’ve never even been on a date. And it’s not just me. Will’s doing it too.”

Joyce laughed. “I knew something was going on with you two. All those trips to the gym and you buying fashion magazines you’ve never been interested in before. I just didn’t realize it was quite so dramatic.”

Buffy cringed. “You think it’s stupid don’t you.”

“Absolutely not,” Joyce said firmly. “I think it’s a wonderful idea. Remember who’s been trying to get you out of those ridiculous knee-length skirts for the past two years.” Buffy blushed again, remembering all the times Joyce had tried to steer her into the trendy stores at the mall, only to have Buffy bolt in the other direction.

“Would you like me to come with you?” Joyce asked suddenly. “For moral support?”

Buffy smiled at her mother’s eagerness. “Thanks. But I think this is something I need to do on my own.”

“Okay.” Joyce rose from her chair, grabbing her handbag off the kitchen counter. Rifling through it briefly she pulled a hundred dollars out of her wallet and handed it to Buffy. “My donation to the cause.”

Buffy gave her mother a big hug, grateful for her support. “Thanks Mom,” she whispered as she pulled back, a big smile on her face. “Well, I’d better get ready to go. Big day ahead.”

As Buffy left the kitchen, a wistful smile crossed Joyce’s face. Finally, she thought to herself, my little girl is coming out of hiding.
Ch 4 - Buffy's transformation by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews guys. I'm so excited by the great reaction this story has received. It really helps me put pen to paper.
Chapter Four

Buffy sat in stunned silence, staring at herself in the mirror.

“So what do ya think darlin’?” the hairdresser grinned at her from over her shoulder.

Buffy’s mouth opened and closed a few times before she finally managed to form actual words. “I love it!” A hug smile spread across her face and she giggled at her own reflection.

Her long hair had been cut a few inches shorter so that it fell to her shoulder blades. A few layers had been cut into it so that it bounced lightly around her shoulders when she moved. The dull brown had been replaced with a golden blonde. Soft foils in a lighter blonde had been scattered throughout. Giving it depth and added lustre.

She’d also had her eyebrows plucked. The thinner, soft arch made her sparkling green eyes look bigger against the fairness of her oval face. A manicure and pedicure completed the deal, with a pale neutral tone now covering her nails.

When she left the salon a few minutes later Buffy was beaming with happiness. Eager to take the next step in her transformation she headed straight for the first clothing store she could find.

“Well don’t you just look like a kitten with a fresh bowl of cream.”

Buffy turned toward the shop assistant. The slightly older girl had, long, dark brown hair. Her curvaceous figure was enhanced by tight black jeans that rode low on her hips, and a tight red t-shirt. A tag on her shirt proclaimed her to be ‘Faith’.

Still beaming Buffy responded, “I’m here to buy clothes.”

Faith chuckled at Buffy’s blunt enthusiasm and quickly looked her up and down. “That’s great. What sort of thing are you after? I’m afraid we don’t have anything like what you’re wearing now but I’ve got some great stuff if you’re looking to cut loose a little.”

Buffy smiled a little nervously, remembering the way she’d been rejected the day she tried to get a job in stores similar to this one, and was glad that Faith at least seemed willing to give her the time of day. “That’d be great.” She blushed shyly. “I’m kind of reinventing myself. So, I’m open to trying anything you’d be willing to show me.”

“No shit, really?”

When Buffy nodded Faith’s brown eyes sparkled with anticipation. “In that case, I know exactly what you need.” Grabbing Buffy by the arm she drew her toward the dressing rooms. “Don’t worry gorgeous,” she added, “I’ll take care of you.”

When Buffy opened the dressing room door a short time later she had her arms crossed over her chest and a look of pure terror on her face.

“What’s wrong?” Faith laughed good-naturedly.

“I-I don’t know Faith. I don’t think this is really me,” Buffy stammered.

Faith lifted a perfectly shaped eyebrow at her. “Do I need to remind you already that you came here to find the new you?”

Buffy cringed. “True.”

“Well then,” Faith encouraged. “You’ll never find the new you if you don’t experiment.” She pulled Buffy out of the dressing room and turned her toward the full-length mirror. “Now put your arms down and feast your eyes on the hotness that is Buffy.”

Reluctantly Buffy withdrew her arms and forced herself to look in the mirror. She blinked. Then blinked again. “Wow,” she whispered in awe. Her slim hips and long legs were encased in soft black leather pants. Her halter top was emerald green, making her eyes sparkle like jewels. It was snugly fitted to just under her breasts, before falling loosely to the waist. Just a hint of midriff showed as she turned this way and that, admiring herself in the mirror.

“You said it B,” Faith grinned and waggled her eyebrows over Buffy’s shoulder. “You’ll have all the boys panting. And quite a few of the girls too actually,” she added as an afterthought.

Buffy’s smile faded a little as a dozen butterflies suddenly came alive in her belly. “You really think so?”

“Trust me,” Faith reassured her. “They’ll fall all over themselves.” She leaned in to speak in hushed tones. “When you walk into a room wearing this outfit, every man there will give you a standing ovation. And they won’t even have to get out of their chairs.” She gave Buffy a conspiratorial wink and then wandered away. “Now let’s see about finding you a great little skirt.”

As Faith started picking items off the racks Buffy snuck another look in the mirror, flushing a bright red as Faith’s words ran through her mind. Tilting her head slightly she regarded herself in a new light. Standing up a little straighter she ran her hands over her hips, pushing out her chest proudly. With a firm nod and a deep breath she went back into the dressing room, ready to try on more of Faith’s suggestions.

Buffy found it much easier, after saying goodbye to Faith, to shop in the other stores. Though she carefully avoided the assistants she recognised from her job hunting expedition. After the shock of the black leather pants, choosing sundresses, and other day clothes, suddenly seemed easy. She even began to learn a little about her personal preferences. And thank God I did, she giggled to herself as she remembered a barely-there hot pink number some ditzy salesgirl had tried to get her into.

By late afternoon she found herself wandering happily around the mall wearing her new blue denim jeans and a baby-blue spaghetti strap top. Low-heeled tan sandals grace her feet. Her golden hair swished lightly around her shoulders and she walked with a proud swing to her hips. Inwardly she delighted every time a male head turned to watch her go by. Her arms were laden with bags containing everything she would need in the coming weeks. Shoes, accessories, make-up, clothes, even new lingerie to help her feel good all over. She’d never had so much fun shopping in her life, and now she was dying to show William her new look.
Ch 5 - The new Buffy and William by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the wonderful reviews. I've been so excited by them all. I'll still working on future chapters so that hopefully I won't be slowing down on the updates. I hope you enjoy!
Chapter Five

Spike tried not to fidget as he waited for Buffy in the alley that led to The Bronze. They’d decided to meet there so they could enter the club together and test out their new looks on others. They weren’t too worried about running into Angel, Dru, or anyone else from that crowd. There was still a week left before school started so it was still too early for them to have arrived back from their various summer vacation destinations.

Leaning against a brick wall Spike kept his hands tucked into his pockets; one leg bent to rest on the wall behind him. His day had been full of revelations. When Buffy had first suggested that he adopt a devil may care bad boy image he’d thought the idea was ludicrous. But then, after he’d ruminated on it for a few days, he grew to like the idea. The thought of simply not caring anymore how other people saw him, of being his own man. It struck a cord inside him, stirring the deep passions that coursed through his veins. For the first time in his life he was compelled to funnel them not into his poetry, but into his life. He wanted to live the words he’d composed so painstakingly on paper. By the time he left his house that morning he had felt a new strength building in him, and he knew what he had to do. And now the moment of reckoning has arrived, he mused. He’d done everything he could. If this didn’t change his life, nothing would.

With that grim thought occupying his mind he glanced toward the end of the alley, where he saw a girl appear out of the shadows. Sucking in a deep breathe he could only stare in awe as she drew closer. She wore knee-high black leather boots. A few scant inches of smooth tanned skin tantalised him before disappearing beneath a short black skirt. Blood red material clung enticingly to her torso, the gentle swell of firm young breasts merely hinted at above the draped neckline.

Long golden tresses were swept up in loose curls on top of her head; with just a few tendrils bouncing freely around her delicate oval face. Green eyes sparkled above full red lips that seemed to quiver slightly in anticipation. Her step was light and confident, enhancing her stunning looks. She was the most beautiful creature Spike had ever seen. She was a goddess. She was sex on legs. She was…Buffy?!

“Oh my God,” Spike whispered in amazement. His heart was thumping loudly in his chest as he pushed off the wall, coming to stand in her path. “Hello cutie,” he said quietly.

For a moment she regarded him a little warily. Then her eyes widened with recognition and her mouth dropped open in surprise. “William?” she whispered.

“Yeah love. It’s me,” he replied, a smile tugging at his lips.

Buffy couldn’t drag her eyes away from him. His curls were gone. His hair had been bleached to a platinum blonde and then slicked back, making his razor sharp cheekbones stand out in the hard planes of his face. Her eyes wandered down his body, taking in the big black boots, tight black jeans and black t-shirt. The ensemble was completed by an ankle length black leather coat. Oh my God, she thought to herself. He’s gorgeous.

Slowly they circled each other, hardly able to believe the changes wrought in one single day. The rest of the world had faded away. The sounds of their heavy breathing were loud in the quietness of the empty alley. Their hands itched to reach out and touch the vision in front of them.

Suddenly Buffy squealed as her emotions overcame her. Abruptly she launched herself into Spike’s arms, hugging him tightly as she giggled delightedly. “Oh Will,” she said ecstatically. “You look fantastic. All dark and mysterious and gorgeous. I’m so happy for you.”

Trying hard not to grin like a fool at her compliments Spike cleared his throat and murmured, “It’s Spike now pet.”

Puzzled, Buffy pulled back to stare at him blankly. “Huh?”

“William doesn’t really go with the new image. I thought the name Spike was more fitting.”

Pausing, Buffy drew away from him and ran her eyes once more over his form. “Spike,” she murmured, as if to test out the name on her tongue. Finally she nodded with approval. “Yeah, you’re right. I like it.”

Spike couldn’t help but smile with relief, glad that she hadn’t laughed at him. “What about you love? I mean I always knew you were pretty but this...” When words failed him he reached out to cup her cheek in his hand, swallowing hard to dispel the lump that had formed in his throat. “You’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen.”

Buffy grinned, bursting with pride as she noted that this was the first time he’d ever actually referred to her as a woman. “You like?” she asked happily, stepping away to do a little spin.

Spike bit back a groan as his gaze slid appreciatively over her slender form. Dragging his reluctant eyes back up to her face he smiled at the adorable way her curls bounced around as she moved. “Oh yeah,” he finally replied, waggling his eyebrows at her.

“Good.” Her voice became low and husky as she moved closer, placing her hands lightly on his chest. “Because I wore this just for you.”

Struck dumb by her seductive tone and the sight of her slightly parted lips, so close to his own, Spike fought to latch onto a thought, any thought, that didn’t involve kissing her senseless. Then his gaze flickered to her eyes, catching the glint of amusement in their green depths, and that’s when it hit him. She was doing it on purpose!

“Oh you’re evil,” he said, backing up in an attempt to remove himself from temptation.

She flashed him a cheeky grin. “What? You think you’re the only one who can flirt?” She winked and he couldn’t help but chuckle at her antics.

“Touché love.” Capturing her hands in his, Spike pulled her with him as he backed toward the door of the club. He grinned, saying, “Come on Goldilocks, it’s time to put these new facades of ours to the test.”
Ch 6 - The night continues by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who has shown support for this story. And to those that had a bit of a whinge about the shortness of the last chapter, this one is for you. It's nice and loooong. *wink*
Chapter Six

As they entered The Bronze Buffy was suddenly overcome with a case of nerves. What if this didn’t work? She’d had a great reaction from Will, no Spike. Her stomach turned another somersault as she remembered the way his blue eyes had glided over her body appreciatively when he saw her. But other people? What if they all saw through the new outer-Buffy to the trembling nerd still lurking underneath?

“Maybe we should find a seat in the corner,” she whispered urgently in Spike’s ear. “You know, scope out the place first.”

He turned to look at her in amusement. Giving her hand a squeeze he shook his head. “Time to take the plunge pet. No turning back now.”

With a slight whimper Buffy followed as he led them to a table near the dance floor. “You sit while I go get us some drinks,” he said loudly over the music.

Buffy’s eyes immediately widened in panic. “You’re leaving me?”

He smile at her reaction and leaned closer so he wouldn’t have to speak as loudly. “Buffy you need to relax. Enjoy the music.” His head tilted slightly. “Where’s my brave kitten?”

Suddenly mesmerized by his closeness, and slightly melty from his new affectation, Buffy laughed at her own behaviour. “You’re right,” she stated firmly. “Go. I’ll sit and soak up the atmosphere.”

Spike smiled at her. “That’s my girl,” he murmured in a low voice, before striding confidently in the direction of the bar.

“Wohoo honey. You’ve got yourself one hell of a man there B.”

Startled, Buffy turned to find the young woman from the first clothing store she’d visited that day standing behind her.

“Faith? What are you doing here?” she blurted out in surprise.

Chuckling to herself Faith cocked an eyebrow. “Well you see at the end of the day I close the store and then if I’ve been a good girl I’m allowed out in public.”

Buffy turned beet red and cringed with embarrassment. “Oh I’m so sorry. I didn't mean it to come out like that. I was just surprised to see you again.”

“That’s okay. I see the big transformation is taking effect. You look hot as hell girl.”

Buffy beamed with pleasure. “Thank you.”

“Now back to the hotty you’re with…he yours?”

Looking over at the bar Buffy saw Spike being served. She noticed the number of looks he was getting from the girls nearby and felt pride swell in her chest at his success in being noticed. Turning back to Faith she answered. “No. He’s my best friend, but we’re not together.”

Faith nodded, a bemused expression on her face. “Sure. Whatever you say.”

At that moment Spike arrived with drinks in hand. After thanking him, Buffy introduced Faith to Spike. “Faith is single-handedly responsible for this outfit,” she told him.

“Damn right,” Faith agreed with a mischievous grin. “What do you think Spike? Doesn’t she look good enough to eat?”

Spike looked warmingly at Buffy. “Without a doubt.”

Buffy blushed and looked fixedly into her glass, not sure how to react to so many compliments in such a short time.

“Okay Buffy.” Faith laughed as she watched the interaction between the two ‘friends’. “Let’s get your arse on that floor and shake it.”

Buffy shook her head emphatically. “Oh no, Faith. Really, I don’t dance.”

Faith just laughed. “Now you do.” Grabbing Buffy by the arm she pulled her onto the dance floor.

“Come on B. Just relax and go with the flow. You’re gonna love it.”

Buffy looked frantically around, convinced everyone would be gawking at her and laughing. Faith captured Buffy’s face in her hands. “Buffy stop thinking. Just keep your eyes on me and do what I do.”

Still reluctant, but willing to try, Buffy watched Faith’s body as she moved to the music. Taking a deep breath Buffy began to move her hips just a little, mimicking the movements of the older girl.

Faith nodded encouragingly. “You’re getting it, now just open yourself up to the music.”

Slowly gaining confidence Buffy swayed and moved to the beat. Lifting her arms over her head she let her head fall back, enjoying the languid movements of her own body. She’d never felt so free and sexy.

“That’s it girl. What did I tell you? You’ll have every man in this room eating out of your hands in no time; including your boy Spike.”

Buffy looked over at their table to find Spike watching her intently. A look of lust clear on his hard features. Buffy felt a jolt of heat shoot through her as she watched him. Revelling in her new found freedom she allowed a shadow of a smile to tug at the corners of her mouth. Then she sent him a mischievous wink as she dipped her body lower, gyrating her hips in sensual abandon.

Spike’s jaw practically dropped and she laughed cheekily at his discomfort. It was official, this was the best night of her life.

**********

Buffy was feeling powerful and exhilarated by the time the music took a turn for the slow and dreamy side. Out of breath from her exertions, she thanked Faith and was making her way off the dance floor when Spike appeared in front of her and pulled her into his arms.

Buffy gasped as she felt his strong arms settle around her waist. Tentatively she wound her arms around his neck and relaxed into his embrace, giving him a big smile.

“Hey there Spike,” she said a little breathlessly.

Spike smiled a little in pleasure at how easily she’d adjusted to his new name. “Hey there,” he replied. “You looked great out here.”

“Thank you,” Buffy said a little shyly, blushing at the thought of the way she’d been dancing. Then she giggled happily. “I’ve never had so much fun.”

“Not even that time we had the popcorn fight in your living room and your Mum threatened to keep us apart till we turned 30?”

Buffy laughed at the memory. “Okay. Maybe tonight is a close runner-up.”

Spike’s fingers flexed on her waist as he fought not to draw her body tighter against his. Holding her like this, after seeing her dance so provocatively, it was completely addling his brain. His senses were overloading with the feel of her, the sight, the scent of her perfumed skin. It was only the vague knowledge that if she was any closer she’d know intimately exactly what kind of effect she was having on him that kept him in control.

“I never would have believed this gorgeous sex kitten was lurking beneath those braces and baggy jeans.”

Blushing again at his words Buffy found she couldn’t meet his gaze. “I’m still just me,” she murmured.

Lifting her chin with one finger Spike smiled tenderly down at her. “I know that,” he said quietly, stroking her cheek softly. “I just look into your eyes, and there’s my Buffy.”

“Still love me then?” she asked a little uncertainly.

Spike grinned. “Always.”

**********

A few hours later Spike was walking Buffy home as she espoused on what a success the evening had been for both of them.

“For you absolutely,” Spike agreed in a disheartened tone. “But I’m not so sure about me.”

Buffy’s jaw dropped in shock. “Are you kidding me? Didn’t you see what you did in there tonight?”

Spike frowned. “What do you mean?”

“I mean every girl in that place was practically falling over herself to get your attention.”

“They were?” Spike sounded somewhat doubtful.

“Spike. The girls that sidled up to you at the bar and tried to start a conversation, the girl that accidentally bumped into you and spilled ice water all over the front of her conveniently white blouse, even Faith wanted at you. And I have yet to even mention the girls that just stared longingly from a distance hoping to catch your eye.”

“Really?” Spike said in amazement. “How’d I miss all that?”

Buffy thought about it for a moment before deciding on a theory. “Maybe because you still weren’t really expecting it to happen and so you weren’t looking for it.”

More like because I was staring at you all night, Spike thought, choosing not to share that piece of revealing information. “Mmm,” he murmured, looking down at himself as they approached Buffy’s door and took a seat on the swing outside. “Guess it must be the coat.”

Buffy just laughed at his cluelessness. “It was you silly. The way you walked, talked, the way you stood. Look at you, you’re practically humming with dark intensity.”

“So the whole big bad thing’s working then?” Spike spoke with a low tone, holding her gaze firmly.

Buffy shivered in response. Nodding, she whispered huskily, “It’s working alright.”

“Good.” Spike finally released her from his gaze. “It feels more comfortable then I thought it would. Like it’s a real part of me coming out.”

Buffy smiled. “I know what you mean. I still feel a little awkward sometimes but…this whole process, it’s been kind of liberating.”

For a few minutes they sat staring out into the darkness, lost in their own thoughts.

“Right then,” Spike said, breaking the silence. “I should probably get home. Got a whole ‘nother two blocks ahead of me.” They stood and walked toward the steps.

“Thanks for walking me home. I had a great night.”

“Me too,” Spike agreed, turning to look at her.

A moment passed, then another, as a strange awkwardness settled between them. As if suddenly neither was quite sure what to do next.

Buffy peeked up from beneath lowered lashes to find Spike regarding her silently. His mouth was open, as if he wanted to say something but wasn’t quite sure how.

“This is suddenly weird isn’t it?” she blurted suddenly.

“How do you mean pet?” he asked with a frown.

“This, between us,” she said, pointing between them. “We’ve been best friends for a long time. We’ve been just friends. Then we both go and do our damnedest to become irresistible to the opposite sex. And now…” Her voice trailed off as she found herself unable to say the actual words.

Spike dropped his gaze to his boots, taking a fortifying breath before facing her again. “You feel it too huh?”

Buffy simply nodded, her face flushing a vivid red.

“It’s only natural I suppose,” Spike said matter of factly, trying to ease the sudden tension. “Seeing whole new sides of each other and all.”

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed emphatically. “Only natural.”

Another pause sat between them and pondered for a bit.

“So what do we do?” Spike suddenly asked.

Buffy opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. She gulped. “I don’t know. I can’t deny it would be easy. To just go with it.” Their eyes locked and as she looked into those fiery blue orbs she had to fight to remember what she was going to say. With a monumental effort she looked away. “But,” she continued with determination, “I’m not so sure we should take the easy road. It would be like backing out.”

Spike frowned. “You think we’d just be hiding again. With each other.”

Buffy shrugged. “Maybe.”

“And now that we’ve come so far with the plan you think we should commit to seeing it through. New experiences and all that.”

Buffy nodded, obviously anxious about his reaction. “It’s just that if we didn’t feel this before, I can’t help but wonder if maybe when we get used to each other again it will…I don’t know…go away?”

“Sure. Maybe.” Spike fidgeted with the edge of his coat, hating the discomfort their conversation was causing.

“I just don’t want anything to ruin our friendship because we rushed into something.”

Spike gave one sharp nod of agreement. “Me neither.” He shrugged. “Still friends then?”

Buffy smiled at him, just wanting everything to be okay between them. “Always.”

After a moment they hugged each other tightly, taking comfort in their closeness. When they parted, Spike tweaked Buffy on the nose gently. “’Night pet.”

“Good night Spike.” Buffy watched him walk down the path before turning to enter the house.
Ch 7 - First time for everything by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much to those that have reviewed this story. I love hearing what you think and am really glad that you are enjoying it. This chapter was inspired by a great 80s movie called 'Some Kind of Wonderful'. It had the single best kissing scene ever filmed to date - IMHO. For those of you that remember it I even borrowed a line from the movie. : ) Enjoy!
Chapter Seven

The night before school started Buffy and Spike were ensconced on her couch. A big bowl of popcorn sat on Spike’s lap as they watched scary movies and relaxed, trying not to think about tomorrow. Buffy’s head rested lazily upon his shoulder, both hands wrapped around his bicep for easy grasping when the movie hit a scary part. At least she told herself that’s why she was clinging like a burr to his side.

They hadn’t talked again about the attraction that had sprung up between them. For the most part they’d settled back into their comfortable, easy friendship. Sure she’d find herself staring at him sometimes when he wasn’t looking, and she thought she’d caught him doing the same thing on occasion. But they were still getting used to the new looks so that wasn’t so unusual. And they’d never had any qualms about touching each other before, whether it be a hello hug or a comforting squeeze of the hand. So if those touches lingered a little longer now, it was nothing to go making a fuss about. They had kept up the gentle flirtations, but they were just practicing for when they had to flirt for real. No, Buffy assured herself on a daily basis. Nothing has really changed.

Spike closed his eyes for a moment and savoured the feel of having Buffy pressed snugly against his side. Occasionally she would practically strangle his arm – guys with face masks and chainsaws always had that effect on her – but he didn’t mind. He liked having her close. Plus the little squealy sounds she made when she was frightened never ceased to be funny.

After their night at The Bronze he’d thought a lot about what Buffy had said. About how before ‘the change’ they’d been friends and only friends. That maybe it was just the cosmetic changes that had sparked the heat and desire that had burned in them both that night. He did agree that if that was true then they probably shouldn’t be more than friends. After all, sudden lusty passion for a person that looked as desirable as Buffy had that night was all well and good but it would never sustain a real romantic relationship. But then, a little voice whispered, was it really so sudden? He remembered all the time they’d spent together in the past few years. He’d loved spending time with her, hated being parted from her. And quite frankly he’d never been that physically affectionate with his other female friends. Never really wanted to. But on the other hand he’d never really thought about Buffy that way. He’d never fantasised about being with her and holding her. Okay, so she had starred in the odd erotic dream here and there but he was a red-blooded male after all. It was natural to have those sorts of dreams.

He snuck a sideways look at her. Her golden hair hung free around her shoulders, tucked firmly behind her ears just like it used to be. She wore a pair of denim shorts and a pink tank top with the word gorgeous printed across the front. Her face was free of make-up. She looked natural and comfortable. And just as beautiful as she did dressed to kill and gyrating on that dance floor, he thought with a smile. The attraction he’d felt for her that night stirred afresh and he frowned in confusion.

He didn’t know what any of it meant. The only thing he did know was that right now he had Buffy exactly where he wanted her, right here beside him. If everything else had to wait till they’d had time to sort themselves out? Well he was okay with that. Buffy was worth the wait.

A quiet sigh and the slight stirring of Buffy snuggling into him wrenched him from his thoughts and back to the small screen. The two lead characters had found themselves alone in a room, with a bed of course, and they were now locked in a passionate embrace. Spike glanced down at Buffy and saw the dreamy look on her face. Glancing back to the TV he watched the two teenagers on-screen, still kissing as they began to shed their clothes. I wonder what it will be like, he thought wistfully. Maybe some day soon…

“Holy crap!” Spike suddenly sat bolt upright in his seat. A look a sheer panic on his face.

Having been engrossed in the movie Buffy gave a small shout of surprise, jumping beside him. “Spike what’s wrong?”

Suddenly remembering Buffy’s presence Spike stared at her. “Dating,” he blurted out. “We’re gonna go out on actual dates.”

Buffy’s eyebrows crept up her forehead as she gave him an odd look. “Yes.” she said with an exaggerated drawl.

“What if some girl expects me to kiss her?”

Despite the sudden squirm of discomfort she felt at the thought of him kissing some random girl Buffy replied, “Then I guess you’ll just have to kiss her.”

Spike blushed a furious shade of red before shrugging in a nonchalant manner and settling back into the couch. “Right,” he stated, clearing his throat. “I just…never mind.”

Buffy smiled at him as understanding suddenly dawned. “Spike,” she said gently, “you’ve never kissed a girl have you.”

Keeping his eyes fixed firmly on the TV, his jaw clenched tightly, Spike shook his head curtly.

“Well, I’ve never kissed a guy either.” She shrugged. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

“No Buffy. It’s nothing for you to be ashamed of,” he argued, anxiety making his voice harsh. “At least no one would really have been surprised with geeky old William. But Buffy, does Spike look like the kind of guy who doesn’t know how to kiss a girl?”

“Ugh, I see your point.”

They sat in silence for a moment as Buffy pondered his dilemma and Spike wished for a giant hole to swallow him whole, thereby ending this painfully embarrassing discussion.

Buffy’s voice was barely audible when she finally ventured, “You could kiss me.”

Spike’s head shot around so fast she was amazed he didn’t end up with whiplash. “What did you say?”

Now that she’d said the words Buffy rushed to explain. “Well I don’t exactly want to accidentally slobber all over some guy because I don’t know what I’m doing. At least this way we don’t have to be embarrassed if we stuff it all up. It’d be like the flirting, practise makes perfect.”

She stopped to take a breath and saw him staring at her in bewilderment. “Buffy.” He was breathing a little heavier now and she knew he was considering it. “Are you sure you want me to do this? To give you your first kiss?”

Smiling at his tender question Buffy forced herself to meet his gaze. “I’d be honoured if you would.”

A rush of air burst out of him as he released the breath he hadn’t realised he was holding. “Okay.” He repositioned himself on the couch so they were facing each other. “How do you want to do this?”

Buffy grabbed the remote control and muted the movie before tossing the controls back on the coffee tale. Then she tucked one leg under her so she could face Spike. “Well,” she said a little uncertainly. “I think you just…kiss me.”

“Right.” Spike flashed her a nervous smile. “Here goes then.” With a sudden burst of movement Spike lurched forward, smacking his lips against hers.

Buffy tried to return the kiss but after a moment she pulled back, giggling. “I’m not going to have any lips left if you press that hard.”

Spike cringed. “Sorry love. Nervous energy.”

After rubbing her lips to restart the circulation Buffy licked them and took a deep breath. “Okay, let’s try this again.”

Nodding, Spike leaned forward again, tentatively this time, to gently brush his lips against hers. This time Buffy kissed him back. He was warm and tender and she sighed in pleasure. She felt his mouth open slightly and, unable to hold back, she slid her tongue into his mouth. She moaned at the heat of him and eagerly delved further. He learned back into the couch slightly and she followed. His hands found the sensitive skin just above her waist where he unexpectedly played his fingertips along her sides.

With a loud squeal Buffy tore away, only to glare at him accusingly. “You tickled me!”

Spike had collapsed back on the couch, sucking in gulps of air. At the look on Buffy’s face he gave in to a deep belly laugh. “I’m sorry love,” he apologised, before another peel of laughter escaped him. “You were choking me with your tongue and I couldn’t get you off.”

Buffy gave a horrified gasp and covered her offending mouth with her hands. With a loud groan of dismay she leaned into the back of the couch. “I did warn you about slobber,” she whimpered in a muffled voice.

“But I didn’t think you meant actual slobbering.” Spike dissolved into another laughing fit. Buffy just groaned again, refusing to show her face.

Still smiling at the ridiculousness of their situation, Spike sat up to wrap his arms around Buffy in a big comforting hug. “We make a bloody brilliant pair don’t we love? Both as hopeless as each other.”

Snuggling her face into Spike’s chest Buffy managed a giggle, nodding in agreement. Sniffing unhappily she finally lifted her head to look into Spike’s eyes, grateful for the affection and acceptance she saw there. She felt safe snuggled in his embrace, and, slipping her arms around his waist, she hugged him to her. “At least now we know we suck,” she reasoned. “Who would have thought kissing would be so hard.”

“Don’t worry love,” he said quietly, tucking a stray lock of hair back behind her right ear. “We’ll figure it out.” He snorted. “Hopefully without causing any permanent damage.”

Buffy giggled and Spike couldn’t help but think how pretty the sound was. All light and tinkly. Funny how he’d never really noticed that before. Gazing into her eyes as they sparkled with the remnants of her unshed tears Spike suddenly felt like he was falling into their clear green depths. His body stilled as his eyes dropped to her pink, kiss-swollen mouth. Without thought he slowly lowered his head, pressing his lips to hers. After a moment he pulled back to look at her. She watched him with wide, trusting eyes. He saw her take a shaky breath and then his eyes slid closed as he moved in to kiss her again. His touch was firmer now, his mouth moving over hers experimentally. He touched his tongue to her bottom lip, caressing it with light strokes. When her mouth parted slightly he slid just between her lips, searching for more.

Buffy whimpered quietly, her hands clenching his t-shirt tightly. Tentatively she touched the tip of her tongue to his. For long moments they went no further; simply tasting each other. Their mouths indulging in gentle explorations of warmth and texture. Then Spike’s hand slid up into her hair, cupping the nape of her neck and with a relieved groan, he deepened the kiss.

Buffy felt like fireworks were going off inside her belly. Her senses reeled at the feel of him. And when at last they parted, she found that she was trembling in his arms. Her ragged breath echoed his own as they stared at each other, unable to move away.

“Wow,” she whispered.

“Yeah,” he agreed, his eyes still roaming over her face, lingering on her lips before returning to her eyes.

“So that’s kissing.”

Spike nodded, already craving the taste of her again. The feel of her soft lips, the quiet sounds she made as she took pleasure in his touch.

“I-uh, I guess we know w-what to do now,” she stammered brokenly.

Snapping back to reality Spike froze. “Right,” he said curtly. “All set.”

With all the abruptness of a slamming door that same awkwardness they’d experienced a week ago dropped between them. Releasing her from his embrace Spike rose from the couch. “It’s getting late. I should get going.”

Feeling somewhat disappointed at the loss of contact with his warm body Buffy followed him to the door. “So I’ll see you in the morning then?”

“Yeah. I’ll see you then.”

Before he could turn to leave Buffy launched herself into her arms, clinging to him with a strength that surprised even him. When she pulled away she smiled at him. “Thank you William.”

Slightly taken aback at hearing her use his real name again, Spike could only nod before taking his leave.

Later that night Buffy lay awake in her bed, smiling uncontrollably. With closed eyes she replayed Spike’s kisses in her mind over and over, relishing the sensations that rippled through her once again. Feeling deliciously wicked she allowed one hand to creep up to her left breast, touching the tips of two fingers to her hardened nipple. Electricity splintered through her and she cried out in surprise. A thousand questions ran through her mind. What would it be like to feel Spike’s body pressed against hers at they kissed? What would it be like to kiss his neck, to feel his pulse thrumming under her questing lips? What would it be like to have Spike’s fingers stroking her nipple instead of her own? The thought made her arch up off the bed as a pleasant shiver travelled through her.

It was a long time before Buffy fell into a fitful sleep that night, her hand still clutching at her breast.
Ch 8 - First day of school by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews everyone. Sorry for the delay in updating. I've run out of reserve chapters so everything is being written from scratch now. Hence the longer time between updates. I really hope you do all stick around to see what happens though. I'm aiming to finish the story before the birth of my baby which is due in 5 weeks so.....I'll be pushing myself to get it done.
Chapter Eight

Spike pulled carefully into a vacant spot in the school’s parking lot and cut the engine. He and Buffy had pooled the last of their money to buy the old black Desoto from Spike’s uncle. It was a rust bucket but it would stop them from having to take the bus to school. Plus, it suited Spike’s new image perfectly. Now they both sat in the car, silently watching as dozens of other students meandered toward the main entrance of the school.

“I guess this is it,” Buffy said quietly.

Spike saw the anxiety she was trying to hide and reached out to grasp her hand. “I guess so.”

Buffy turned to look at him. Her eyes were wide and her bottom lip trembled. “I’m scared.”

Spike smiled, leaning closer to cup her face in his hand. “Me too,” he admitted ruefully. He took a deep breath and held her gaze firmly. “Just remember. We can be as scared as we like, as long as they don’t see it. Walk tall. And if in doubt, flash them that special smile you’ve been using on me for the last two weeks. The one that screams ‘I know something you don’t know’. I’d like to see any male try to resist that.”

He winked at her and Buffy giggled, suddenly feeling better. “Thanks. You know you’re the best friend I’ve ever had.”

“So are you.” Overcome, Spike couldn’t help but plant a quick kiss on her smiling lips. “For good luck,” he explained at her look of surprise. “Now love, let’s get this show on the road.”

They quickly grabbed their bags and got out of the car. Buffy glanced down to check her outfit. She’d gone for sexy but casual in blue hipster jeans that showed off her trim figure to perfection. Her baby blue spaghetti strap top hugged her torso, baring a hint of cleavage and leaving her tanned shoulders and arms bare. Heeled tan boots completed the ensemble. Her softly curled hair cascaded loosely over her shoulders and she’d kept her make-up natural, using a deep pink gloss to make her lips glisten invitingly.

She looked at Spike and was struck anew by the sensual presence that seemed to exude from him now. Sure he looked different, with the black jeans and t-shirt, and the red button down shirt that hung open in front, but it was more than that. He’d changed. He looked self-assured, comfortable with himself. Spike’s eyes blazed with something she’d only glimpsed in William.

They both looked good. She knew it. Now if she could just stop the butterflies that were turning somersaults in her stomach she’d be fine. Walk tall, Spike had said. Chanting those words to herself, Buffy threw back her shoulders, held her head high and began to walk toward the entrance. Spike immediately fell into step beside her, his strides long and proud. Allowing her hips to sway gently Buffy felt the ‘special smile’ Spike had mentioned tugging at her mouth and she gave it free reign. Suddenly all her nervousness fell away. She felt powerful, strong, and she decided then and there that no matter what happened next, she would not let anyone take that feeling away from her.

**********

A little while later Spike sat behind Buffy in their home room while the roll was called. They talked quietly, pretending not to notice the curious looks that were being directed their way. Just as they’d expected, no one had recognized them. That would last exactly as long as it took for the teacher to reach the name–

“…William Giles…”

Spike’s gaze never wavered from Buffy’s as he answered, “That would be me. But it’s Spike now.”

The whispers in the room jumped in volume suddenly as their fellow students reacted with shock. Even the teacher paused to look up briefly, but her quiet ‘Huh’ never registered above the rest of the din. “Quiet down please,” she called loudly, before returning to the role.

Suddenly all eyes were focused on Buffy as everyone began to realize who she must be. Her answer of ‘here’ when the teacher called her name was no longer a surprise so much as it was a confirmation and the whispers set off again.

The reactions were varied. Smiles, curiosity, lust, anger, even jealousy. Through it all Buffy and Spike stayed calm and continued to focus on each other, their eyes alight with delight at the stir they’d caused. By the time they left for their first classes they knew it wouldn’t be long before everyone knew exactly who they were. Then the real chaos would begin.

**********

Buffy was just closing her locker, books for her first class filling her arms, when she felt a presence beside her.

“Hey there gorgeous.”

She turned to find Angel O’Connor watching her avidly. A sexy smile graced his handsome face. “You must be new here. What’s your name?”

For a moment Buffy just stood there in shock. Angel was talking to her, he obviously had no idea who she was, and he was still as gorgeous as he was the last time she’d seen him. Taking a steadying breath she forced herself to stay calm. “Hello Angel,” she said with a flirtatious smile.

His surprise was obvious. “You know who I am?”

“Of course.” She laughed, enjoying the fact that she had him at the disadvantage for once. “Who could possibly tread these halls without hearing about Angel O’Connor?”

“Err…right.” For a brief moment he actually looked uncertain, like he realized she was teasing him and he was trying to figure out the punch line. Then he seemed to shrug off the feeling. “So, then I guess you already know what a fantastic, charming guy I am.”

“Mr O’Connor, are you flirting with me?” She teased coyly, looking up at him from beneath lowered lashes.

“Would you mind if I was?” he smiled, moving a little closer.

Outwardly Buffy shrugged nonchalantly, but inside she was thrilling at his closeness. “No. But I think your girlfriend might have something to say about it.” She thought she saw anger flash in his eyes but just as quickly it was gone.

“Actually I don’t have a girlfriend. I did but, we broke up over the summer.”

“Well now,” she replied, meeting his gaze steadily. “Isn’t that interesting.”

Angel smiled confidently. “Do you need help finding your first class?”

Buffy backed slowly away from him. “Thanks but…I think I know the way.” With that she turned to walk away.

“Wait,” he called after her. “You didn’t tell me your name.”

Buffy paused, twirling to face him once again. “Buffy,” she announced with a grin. “Buffy Summers.” As the inevitable shock found its way over his face she sent him a wink and walked away, hips sashaying cheekily.

**********

Spike was walking down the hall toward his first class, whispers of Angel and Druscilla’s break-up drifting to him from passing students, when he saw Dru heading the other way. She wore a long plum-coloured dress that hugged her form enticingly and her black hair flowed like silk around her shoulders. Seemingly unaware of the attention her recent split was receiving from those around her, she strolled down the hall as if she hadn’t a care in the world.

When their eyes met Dru came to a complete stop in the middle of the hallway, simply watching Spike as he drew closer. He wasn’t sure if she was waiting to speak to him or if she just wondered who he was, but either way Spike’s heart was thudding heavily in his chest. Refusing to be intimidated, he sauntered right up to her, stopping mere inches away. “Hello Dru.”

Her full lips stretched into a smile as her intense gaze inspected him from head to toe. “Who have you become William?”

Surprised, and more than a little pleased, that she was the only person that had recognised him straight off, he simply stated, “Spike.”

“Ah yes.” An odd twinkle appeared in her brown eyes. “I heard that William was gone and I knew that it had finally happened. You’re time has come, my Spike.”

My Spike. Mesmerised, Spike felt a shiver run through him at her words.

“My time?”

“Yes.” she laughed lightly. “All the little apples are yours for the picking.”

“Is that right,” Spike drawled, his head tilting slightly. “What about you love?” Leaning closer he purred into her ear, “If I picked you, would you be ripe?”

He drew back a little, locking eyes with her as he carefully kept their faces close together. Then, just as she almost imperceptibly swayed toward him, he backed off completely and casually walked past her, continuing down the hall.

**********

When Buffy and Spike met up in the cafeteria for lunch the first words out of both their mouths were, “Angel and Dru broke up.” They grinned at each other over their simultaneous statements.

“Angel came up to me at my locker this morning,” Buffy told him excitedly. “He totally had no idea who I was until I told him, it was perfect.”

“That’s…that’s great.”

“Thanks.” Buffy sipped her iced coffee as she watched him out of the corner of her eye. “Have you seen Dru?”

“Yeah. Even spoke to her.”

When he didn’t continue Buffy prodded, “How did that go?”

Remembering their brief exchange Spike’s lips quirked unconsciously. “Good.”

Buffy shifted uncomfortably in her chair. “Good.”

They sat in silence for a while, lost in thought as they ate their lunch. Then Buffy spoke softly. “It’s working isn’t it?”

“Yeah I think so,” Spike agreed. “Just a hell of a lot quicker than we thought it would.”

“That’s for sure.” Buffy nodded emphatically. They avoided eye contact as they each pondered the implications of that statement. “So are we still on for The Bronze tonight?”

Spike grinned. “Absolutely.”
Ch 9 - Back to The Bronze by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Hi Everyone. Thanks for the reviews. I hope you continue to enjoy the story. Oh yeah, I forgot to thank Brat and sixstringbaby for looking over the last chapter for me pre-post. Thanks guys!
Chapter Nine

Buffy and Spike had decided to meet outside The Bronze again so they could enter the club together. When Spike caught sight of Buffy approaching in her black leather pants and emerald green halter top, her hair in loose messy ringlets, he felt that now familiar thrum run through his body. His jeans suddenly felt too tight and he fought the urge to drag her up against his body, covering her mouth with his.

“Hi Spike,” she greeted.

He was concentrating so hard on keeping his hands to himself that he barely had time to react when she grabbed the lapels of his coat and pulled him down for a light but lingering kiss. When they parted she was grinning impishly. “I like your shirt.” She ran one hand down the midnight blue material covering his chest, drawing away only when she’d reached his tensed stomach muscles.

Spike hissed in sharply, instantly hard and aching for her. “Oh kitten,” he growled. “You are dangerous.”

Buffy giggled, batting her green eyes at him coquettishly. “Why thank you.”

“Shall we?” Placing a hand lightly on the small of her back he led her into the club.

“This time you find us a table and I’ll go get the drinks,” she called over the music.

Spike nodded and began looking for an empty table as Buffy made her way to the bar. She’d just ordered some Cokes when she spotted a familiar redhead standing beside her.

“Willow?” Buffy tapped the girl on the shoulder. When she turned around Buffy opened her arms in welcome. “Hey. I didn’t see you in school today, I wondered where you were. Did you just get back from Germany?”

“Oh hi Buffy,” Willow murmured, allowing herself to be pulled into a hug. “I was at school. We got back on Saturday.”

“Well why didn’t you come say hello?”

Willow blushed furiously and stared at her toes. “You looked kind of busy. I-I didn’t want to interrupt.”

Buffy’s smile faltered. “Willow? What’s wrong?”

Fidgeting nervously Willow shrugged. “You just look so different. I wasn’t sure if you’d want to…umm…” She trailed off, clearly embarrassed, and looked anywhere but at Buffy.

Buffy rolled her eyes at her friend. “Willow don’t be silly. I died my hair, I didn’t get a Cordelia implant.”

Obviously relieved, Willow flushed guiltily. “I’m sorry. I should have known better.”

Buffy shrugged. “It’s no big. Hey, Spike was just finding us a table. You wanna join us?”

Willow nodded and began to follow Buffy through the crowd. “Spike? That’s William right?”

“That was William,” Buffy called back over her shoulder. “He’s all Spike now.”

When they found Spike near the dance floor he and Willow greeted each other warmly. “I couldn’t swing a table,” he told them. “Maybe later.”

For the next few minutes the three friends caught up with each other on the events of the summer. Willow tried to get Buffy and Spike to tell her what had brought about the dramatic changes in them but they just smiled and said they’d felt like a change. Then, as a strong pounding beat began to resonate throughout the room, Buffy’s eyes lit up with excitement.

“Oh I love this song. Willow you have to dance with me.”

Ignoring Willow’s surprised “You dance?” Buffy grabbed her hand and tugged her into the mass of writhing bodies. That feeling of release spread quickly through her body as she easily fell into the movements Faith had taught her a week ago. Willow looked a little taken aback, eyes wide with shock, but then she just shook her head with a laugh and happily joined in.

Before long Buffy’s eyes wandered over to where Spike had been standing, eager to feel his heated gaze. A small frown marred her forehead when he wasn’t there. Head swivelling, Buffy searched for him amid the crowd.

“Buffy what’s wrong?”

“Did you see where Spike went?” she asked.

Willow grinned and pointed to the upstairs balcony. When Buffy looked up she saw Spike and Druscilla standing close together, apparently deep in conversation. Her stomach dropped and her steps faltered, causing her to almost fall over. Thankfully Willow grabbed her arm to help steady her.

“Are you okay,” she asked anxiously.

Buffy quickly plastered a bright smile on her face and nodded at her friend. “Yeah. I’m fine.” She took a deep breath and continued dancing, trying to ease the thumping of her heart. What is my problem? she asked herself incredulously. This was the goal all along. To get noticed. And for Spike that meant getting noticed by Dru. She’d known this would happen. So why do I hate it so much? A pang of guilt joined the tumultuous emotions already swirling inside her. This is ridiculous, she admonished herself. This is what he wants and he deserves to be happy. And so, though her heart still ached, she turned her back toward the balcony, and tried to just enjoy her dance with Willow.

A little while later a hand trailed down Buffy’s bare back and she spun around in surprise to find Angel grinning down at her. “Hey Buffy.”

“Hi,” she replied with a smile.

Sliding his arm around her waist he leaned closer. “Dance with me.”

Buffy glanced hopefully at Willow, who smiled and mouthed ‘go for it’ before disappearing into the crowd.

Turning back into Angel’s arms Buffy allowed him to draw her close as they began to move together. Tentatively she placed her arms around his neck, following his lead as he dipped and swayed to the music. Before long she found herself relaxing into his embrace, enjoying the upbeat tempo and the simple pleasure of being held in a man’s arms.

**********

Spike had been lost in the brown pools of Druscilla’s eyes from the moment she approached him. As he’d followed her up the stairs to the darkness of the balcony he’d felt like a moth being drawn inexorably toward a searing flame. Too close and he’d be consumed.

She talked in riddles that he couldn’t understand and yet they fascinated him. He found himself wanting to probe the depths of her mind, to seek the insights he knew were hidden behind the beauty of her face.

“Your sunshine is getting into a tangle,” Dru said suddenly.

“Who?” Spike asked, confused.

Dru was staring at the dance floor below and Spike followed her gaze until it landed on Buffy. With Angel.

He could see Angel’s large hands clasped around Buffy’s waist, holding her close. Their bodies were moving together in sensuous harmony. The lust on Angel’s face made it clear what he wanted to do to her and she was obviously revelling in his attention.

Spike didn’t realise how hard he was clenching the railing in front of him until he felt one of Dru’s soft hands cover his. Dragging his eyes from the scene below he met her gaze, frowning at the amusement he saw there.

Taking her hand he led her down the steps and onto the dance floor. Ignoring the pop music that was playing he slid his arms around her and moved in a slow, smooth rhythm. Dru seemed to enjoy his divergence from the rest of the dancers and pressed herself eagerly against him. Spike felt himself harden at the feel of her soft curves, closing his eyes to relish the feel of having the woman that had intrigued him for so long in his arms. When he opened them again he found his gaze drawn to Buffy and was surprised when he saw her looking back at him. Their gazes locked for several long moments as currents of confused discomfort passed between them. Disconcerted, they each turned quickly back to their dance partners, holding on a little tighter to the person in their arms.

**********

Buffy had just emerged from the bathroom when she ran into Spike.

“Buffy,” he greeted.

“Spike,” she replied.

The tension that had sprung up earlier made them both uneasy.

“Have you had a good night?”

“Yeah. You?”

He nodded.

“I was going to come find you?”

“Yeah?” he asked with a smile. “Why’s that love?”

“Umm, I’m going to get going. Angel’s offered to drive me home.”

“Oh. Okay.”

They both fell silent, looking everywhere but at each other.

“Well, I hope you have a good time with Dru.”

“Yeah, thanks.”

“Goodnight Spike.” Unsure what to do next Buffy gave him a quick, hard hug and left to find Angel.

“’Night love,” he whispered to her retreating back.

**********

“Thanks for driving me home Angel,” Buffy said as he walked her to her front door.

“No problem.” His look was heated and she knew he had every intention of kissing her goodnight. Her heart raced in a mixture of excitement and fear at the prospect.

“Go out to dinner with me tomorrow night.”

Caught off guard Buffy was left speechless as she broke out into a brilliant smile. She’d just been asked out on her first date.

“Hello? Buffy?”

Realising she’d been staring at him like a giddy fool for at least a minute Buffy blushed. “Sorry. I mean…yes. I’d love to.”

“Great.”

“Well, I’d better get inside,” she said, though she made no move to open the door.

Moving closer he wrapped his arms around her. “Buffy,” he murmured, before his mouth descended on hers hungrily.

Buffy returned his kiss eagerly, waiting for the melty feeling she knew would come. She parted her lips slightly and his tongue dove between them. She made a ‘eep’ of surprise, which he seemed to take as a sound of pleasure as he clasped her yet tighter, groaning and rubbing his crotch against her. She wondered absently if this was how Spike had felt when she’d gotten a little tongue-happy last night. Choking was definitely the right word.

When Angel finally let her go she resolutely resisted the urge to wipe her mouth. His eyes were glazed with passion as he looked at her, and he seemed to believe she was similarly affected.

“Good night gorgeous,” he whispered huskily before turning to head for his car. Stifling a giggle Buffy quickly unlocked the door and went inside.

As she got ready for bed Buffy pondered the events of the evening. She’d enjoyed catching up with Willow and dancing with Angel. Plus, she was excited about her date tomorrow night, despite the less than satisfying kiss they’d shared. But despite her best efforts her mind kept returning to one question. What is Spike doing right now?

**********

Spike tore his mouth from Druscilla’s in an attempt to catch his breath as her hands roamed his body. They were parked in front of her house, where he’d been about to offer to walk her to her door when she’d pounced on him.

Now she was panting heavily in his ear. “Touch me Spike,” she whispered as she took one of his hands and placed it upon her breast. Spike groaned, succumbing to her kiss once again as his fingered flexed around the firm mound. His whole body was throbbing for her, but at the same time he felt like he was suffocating. This wasn’t how it was supposed to happen. It was too much and he couldn’t think.

When he felt her nimble fingers tugging on the zipper of his jeans and knew that if he didn’t stop now he’d be completely lost. “Dru…wait,” he gasped, clutching at her hands to still their progress. “Stop.”

Dru leaned closer, licking and nibbling on his neck when he wouldn’t let go of her hands. “What’s wrong my Spike?”

“This is just…it’s not…” He set her firmly away from him, taking deep breathes in order to regain some control over his rioting senses. “You deserve better than this.”

Dru giggled. “Better than what?”

“Than doing this in a car ten feet from your parent’s house.” Spike gave an exasperated sigh. “Let me take you out. We can spend some time together. Get to know each other.”

For a moment Dru looked like she would argue with him. Then she suddenly jerked into an upright position. “Alright. We’ll play your game lovely.”

“Right. Okay then.” Relieved, Spike quickly got out of the car and walked around to open her door. “Come on love, I’ll walk you to your door.”

As he began the short drive home a few minutes later Spike was plagued by thoughts of Angel driving Buffy home. Images flooding his mind of Angel kissing her, touching her the way he’d been touching Dru. Spike didn’t notice his knuckles turn white as his grip on the steering wheel tightened.
Ch 10 - The fine art of sharing by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Hi everyone. Thanks so much to those who have read and reviewed this story. I really appreciate all the support I've received. I hope you enjoy.
Chapter Ten

Buffy was a little apprehensive as she slid into the car when Spike picked her up for school the next morning.

“’Morning,” she said chirpily, hoping to relieve the tension.

“’Morning pet,” he replied. He gave her a quick smile, but it looked just as forced as her own cheerful mood.

The drive to school was made in uncomfortable silence. As with yesterday morning, once they’d parked neither moved to get out of the car. Buffy found it hard to believe that just 24 hours ago nobody knew about their ‘change’ yet. How could their lives have altered so drastically in such a short time?

Realising that if someone didn’t say something soon they’d end up late for homeroom, Buffy swallowed heavily and spoke. “Angel asked me out on a date. We’re going to have dinner tonight.”

Spike’s jaw clenched and he took a deep breath. “Dru and I are going out tonight too.”

Again silence fell.

Finally Buffy turned to look at him directly, though when she spoke her voice was barely audible. “I won’t lie to you Spike. I didn’t like seeing you with her.”

A rush of breath left Spike as he seemed to deflate before her eyes. “I bloody well hated seeing you with him. They way he was looking at you, putting his hands on you.”

Buffy tucked her hair behind her ear, a little embarrassed. “Nothing much happened. We kissed but…that’s all.”

A sudden memory of Dru’s hands on his crotch while he kneaded her breast, the small confines of the car filled with the sounds of their heavy breathing, flashed through Spike’s mind. “Yeah, same here,” he choked out. Buffy sighed, visibly relieved by his words and he felt guilt flood him for misleading her.

She placed a hand over his. “I don’t want there to be weirdness between us.”

Spike nodded his agreement. “I guess this is the part where we learn the fine art of sharing then?”

Buffy laughed. “I guess so.” She grabbed her bag and began to get out of the car. “Something tells me this lesson will be harder than when Willow wanted to play with my favourite Barbie Doll.”

**********

When Buffy walked into her house at precisely 10 o’clock that night only one thought was occupying her mind. It has got to get better than this.

The night had started out okay. Angel had shown up on time, complimented her on how she looked and been polite to her mother. He’d taken her to a cosy Italian restaurant where they’d enjoyed an excellent meal. All in all it was a very nice date, except for…well…the company. When Angel wasn’t leering and making sexual innuendos he dominated the conversation. He’d talked about football and how popular he was at school and how many girls were after him and the great party he was planning to have next time his parents went out of town. Buffy tried to appear interested in what he was saying but found her mind wandering once she realised she wouldn’t have a chance to contribute much. Plus he was rude to the waiter.

By the time he suggested they take a drive to this great lookout he knew about where you could see out over the whole town, a lookout which Buffy knew also happened to be the local make-out spot, she’d pointed out how late it was getting and told him it was probably best if he took her home. “Oh yeah. My Mom is really strict about curfews,” she lied. “I don’t want to get grounded.”

When she did finally make it into the house, after managing to evade Angel’s aggressive lips almost entirely, and saw the light on in the kitchen she wandered that way. Her mother was sitting at the kitchen table hunched over a stack of paperwork, obviously trying very hard to look like she wasn’t waiting up for Buffy.

“Hi Mom.”

Looking up Joyce smiled excited, all pretence forgotten. “Hey sweetie. How was your big date?”

Buffy just stood there with her mouth open for a minute before finally blurting out, “He was rude to the waiter.”

Joyce cringed, rolling her eyes dramatically, and got up from the table. “That alone pretty much says it all. Come on, I’ll make you a hot chocolate and you can tell me all about it.”

**********

“Hey Willow,” Buffy caught up with her friend at her locker the next morning.

“Buffy hey, how was your date?”

Looking skyward Buffy made a very unfeminine ‘ugh’ sound.

Willow giggled. “That bad huh?”

“Worse.” They began to walk down the hall toward their next class. “I’ve never been so bored in my life.”

“So I take it you won’t be seeing him again?”

Buffy looked askance at her friend. “You sound so pleased about that.”

“Well,” Willow admitted, “you have to admit the guy’s a jerk. I never did understand why you would want to go out with him in the first place.”

Buffy cringed at the thought as they took their seats. “I don’t know Willow. I mean he’s good looking, and hey he is a good dancer, but I always knew he was a jerk. Somehow that didn’t matter as much when I knew I couldn’t have him. I guess I was under some sort of delusion that if only he liked me he would instantly change into a better person. And now I sound like a psych textbook.”

Willow laughed, holding up two fingers close together. “Little bit.”

“Well whatever it was I’m over it now.” A thought seemed to strike her suddenly and she looked at Willow in mock amazement. “Hey, maybe I’m actually really screwed up as a person and I just haven’t realised it yet.”

Willow appeared to ponder this for a moment before reaching a conclusion. “No,” she stated, “screwed up would be if you told me you couldn’t wait for your second date with Angel.”

Both girls laughed, turning to the front of the room as their teacher started the class.

“Speak of the devil,” Buffy heard Willow mutter some time later as they re-entered the hallway. When Buffy looked up she saw Angel striding toward them.

“Hey babe.” Ignoring Willow completely he tried to put his arms around Buffy but she held him back. He appeared completely oblivious to the gesture. “I was hoping to catch you before you went to lunch. I was thinking we could ditch afternoon classes, go somewhere private.” His meaning was clear in his sultry tone and Buffy glanced hastily around, hoping no one else had heard him.

“Ahhh no…thanks but, I’d prefer to stick around.”

Angel frowned at her, obviously flummoxed. “Why?”

Dreading the coming conversation, and not having any idea what she was going to say, Buffy took his arm and led him back into the now empty classroom. “Look Angel. I’d like to thank you again for last night. It was…nice.” Her words sounded trite to her own ears but he seemed to think she was sincere so she just thanked her lucky stars and plunged on. “But I don’t think we should see each other again.”

“Excuse me?” Angel’s voice was incredulous. He seemed to find it hard to believe she could possibly be saying such a thing to him.

“I just don’t think we’re a very good match,” Buffy continued politely.

Angel stalked toward her, following her as she back up until he had her trapped against the teacher’s desk. “You’ve been panting after me for a long as I can remember.”

“Panting after you?” Buffy cried indignantly. “What am I your dog?”

Angel simply looked at her, as if conceding the truth of that statement. “Admit it Buffy. The hair, the clothes. You did it all for me. To get my attention.”

“Actually I did it all for me,” she argued but he continued as if she hadn’t even spoken.

“It worked. You got my attention with your low-cut tops and your tight little arse. But if you think you can just turn around and play hard to get now you are sorely mistaken.”

Buffy felt anger boiling inside her at his insulting words. She slid out from in front of him, making sure she placed herself between him and the door. “Maybe I did have a crush on you. Funny how that disappeared so easily when I actually spent some time with you. Now I’ve realised something Angel.”

“That you’re a frigid bitch?” he asked icily.

“Oh please.” She laughed at him, one eyebrow raised imperiously. “It’s kind of hard to get in the mood when your date is trying to swallow your face whole.

“No,” she continued. “I’ve realised that you’re just not good enough for me.” Giving him a final satisfied smirk she turned and proudly walked out of the room.

Immediately Willow was by her side. “Buffy that was awesome,” she gushed.

“You heard?”

“Are you kidding me?” Willow giggled excitedly. “Me and six other people were eavesdropping just outside the door.”

Buffy’s face turned scarlet and she dropped her face into her hands. “Oh my God.”

“No it’s great. By the end of the day everyone in the school will know that you dumped Angel on his arse. Not to mention that he’s a lousy kisser.”

“Oh crap.” Buffy started to feel a little bad about her outburst. “I didn’t mean to go spreading that information around the whole school. It’s kind of private. Plus it’s not like I’m Miss Experience here.”

“Oh don’t worry about it,” Willow assured her. “It’s about time Angel was brought down a peg or two. Especially after what he said to you.”

“He was really mean,” Buffy conceded. “Oh Willow. This whole dating thing is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought.”

**********

When Buffy arrived at the De Soto that afternoon Spike was already there waiting for her. She could tell just by looking at him that he’d heard about her little conversation with Angel. Neither had mentioned their dates that morning on the way to school; as if there was an unspoken agreement between them to steer clear of the subject. But there was no avoiding it now.

“So the great prick turned out to be the world’s worst kisser huh?” he asked calmly the moment she was within earshot.

“Okay, okay.” Buffy quickly climbed into the car, throwing her bag onto the back seat. “What have you heard?”

“Well pet, the rumour mill has it that you and Angel had a flaming row. That you broke it off with him and he went ballistic and started calling you names. At which point you told him he was beneath you and swept haughtily out of the room.” He grinned at her again. “That about sum it up pet?”

Buffy groaned in dismay. “Pretty much.”

“I almost decked him when I found out what he said to you,” Spike admitted. “But then I figured you did such a good job of laying him low…I didn’t want to steal your most dignified thunder.”

Buffy giggled at his choice of words.

They drove for a few minutes in silence, and then Spike said quietly, “I’m proud of you, you know.”

“For what?” she asked.

“For standing up to him. You never would have done that last year.”

Buffy realised he was right and couldn’t help the smug look that crept across her face. “Thanks.” Unable to stand it any longer she asked, “How did your date with Dru go?”

Spike nodded, a small smile playing over her feature. “I think it went well. She’s…she’s very unusual.”

Buffy wondered what he meant but didn’t want to pry. “So you’ll be seeing her again?”

Spike glanced at her as he pulled into her driveway. “Yeah. I will.”

Buffy felt an odd sense of disappointment settle in the pit of her stomach. “That’s great. I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks.”

“I’ll see you in the morning.” Buffy quickly got out of the car and hurried inside.
Ch 11 - Confrontations and realisations by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Hi all. I'm back! Sorry about the delay in updates but my baby decided to arrive two weeks early and it's taken me this long to restore some small semblance of order to my life. Yes, I'm now the proud Mum of a beautiful baby boy named Liam James. I'll try to keep updates regular from here on out but hey, anything Liam does is more interesting than writing so...you may have to be patient. : ) Oh and thanks to Jenny for reminding me of the term hobiscuit. I loved it so much I just had to use it in this chapter.
Chapter Eleven

Buffy stirred her fruit salad absently as she stared at Spike and Drusilla sitting on the other side of the cafeteria, engaged in quiet conversation. As she watched Dru reached out a hand to stroke Spike’s arm, leaning over to whisper into his ear. Spike suddenly turned red in the face, his eyes widening comically. Buffy grimaced. That girl is such a hobiscuit, she thought.

“It really bothers you doesn’t it?”

“What?” Buffy jumped as she broke out of her musings to face Willow.

“Spike and Drusilla. It bothers you to see him with her.”

“No of course not,” Buffy denied. “He’s been interested in her for ages.”

Willow just rolled her eyes. “Knowing that he has a thing for her is different from having to watch him with her.” Willow grinned cheekily. “You like him don’t you.”

Tears sprang to Buffy’s eyes and she chewed her bottom lip, unable to answer.

“Oh Buffy I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to make you cry.” Willow put her hand over Buffy’s, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “Are you in love with him?”

“I don’t know Willow. I just…we’ve been friends for so long, but I never really thought of him as more than that. Then this past summer…” Buffy gave an exasperated sigh. “We both changed so much. On the inside as well, you know? We saw new sides of each other. It was so exciting. Then with the changes on the outside on top of that, suddenly there were sparks flying all over the place.”

“Oh Buffy. That sounds so romantic.” Willow said eagerly. “Did anything happen between you?”

Buffy couldn’t help the dreamy smile that appeared, or the flush that crept into her cheeks. “We flirted a lot. And we kissed once.”

Willow bounced excitedly in her seat. “What was it like?”

Buffy’s blush grew stronger as she remembered the feel of Spike’s lips on hers. “Amazing.”

Willow’s eyes flickered from Buffy to Spike and Dru and her enthusiasm died abruptly. “So what’s with the whole Angel and Dru thing?”

Buffy dropped her head into her hands. “We were worried that if we just decided to be together, without ever really seeing what else the world had to offer, that it would be like taking the easy way out. Plus we weren’t sure that it would last, what was happening between us. I mean what if we’d gotten together and then in a couple of weeks the attraction faded and we wanted to experience being with other people. Our friendship could have been ruined."

Willow frowned thoughtfully. “Okay. I guess all of that makes sense in a logical, academic sort of way. But Buffy, how do you feel?”

“I want to scratch Dru’s eyes out,” Buffy stated simply.

Willow laughed. “Oh yeah, that’s not going to hurt your friendship with Spike at all.”

Buffy pushed her plate away, her appetite gone. “I’m still glad we did what we did. The whole Angel thing turned out to be a bit of a debacle but at least now I know that I don’t want anything to do with him. Plus Spike seems to really like Dru. I wouldn’t have wanted him to be with me because he believed he couldn’t be with her. If we’re ever together it has to be because he chose me, not because he settled for me.”

“Buffy,” Willow admonished gently. “He never would have felt that way about you.”

“Maybe.” Buffy shrugged. “Or maybe if he was with me now, he would still gaze across the room at her sometimes and wonder ‘what if’. Besides, look at him, he’s happy with her.”

Willow snorted. “If you ask me he looks a little bored.”

Buffy returned her eyes to Spike, who was now sitting quietly among Dru’s friends as they chatted. At that moment his eyes wandered around the room, stopping when they landed on her.

Unable to help herself Buffy sent him a big grin and a wink. Spike broke out into a smile, shaking his head at her in amusement. Noticing the change in his focus Dru quickly ran her hand through his hair, drawing his attention back to her.

Hearing Willow’s stifled giggling Buffy looked back to her friend. “What?”

“You.” Willow gave up and chortled loudly. “You’re still flirting with him.”

“Well,” Buffy admitted ruefully, “just because I’m not standing in his way doesn’t mean I’m going to let him forget I’m here.”

Willow nodded her approval. “I always knew you were a smart girl.”

The bell rang and the two girls gathered their things to head to class. “Let’s go to The Bronze tonight,” Buffy suggested as they made their way down the hall.

“Huh?”

“Please Willow? I can’t let people think I’m sitting at home pining over Angel or something. Plus it’s Friday and we’re two hot single girls. Let’s go wild.”

Willow laughed at Buffy’s enthusiasm but looked a little wary. “I don’t know Buffy. I’m not so much with the hot as I am the single.”

“Oh please. If I can look hot so can you. Come over to my place after school and we’ll get all vampy.”

Despite her hesitation Willow found herself caught up in Buffy’s excitement. “Okay. But if I end up looking like an idiot I’m so blaming you.”

Mere hours later Buffy was bouncing on her heels, clapping excitedly. “Willow you look gorgeous.”

“I don’t know Buffy are you sure?”

“I’m positive.” Buffy gave her friend a final once over. The little black dress she’d lent Willow fitted her slender figure to perfection. The deep V of the neckline showing just the right amount of cleavage. The knee-high black boots gave an extra couple of inches to her already statuesque form. Willow’s hair was lightly curled and drawn back with some hairclips, emphasising the red tint they’d put through it that afternoon. She looked carefree but elegant.

Satisfied with her handiwork Buffy turned back to the mirror to finish applying the deep red lipstick that completed her own look. The blood red pants and loose sparkly black top reflected her mood. Tonight she wanted to be sexy and fun. She was going to have a good time if it killed her.

Turning to her friend she smiled happily. “Okay Willow. Let’s go have some fun.”

**********

Dingoes Ate My Baby are playing at The Bronze tonight. I thought we might go check it out.”

“Alright.”

“Buffy and Willow will be there as well.”

“Hmmm. How…lovely.”

Spike looked up from his hamburger. “Problem pet?”

“I was looking forward to spending time alone with you.”

“We will. I just thought it might be nice if you got to know my friends a little better. I think you and Buffy would get on really well if you got to know each other.”

Dru smiled indulgently. “If you say so Spike.”

When they entered the club a little while later his eyes scanned the crowd automatically. He caught sight of Buffy with Willow on the dance floor and his heart stopped, then began a staccato thumping in his chest. She looked gorgeous. Her body flowed in an ecstasy of motion. The two girls were completely immersed in the music, seemingly oblivious to the lustful gazes directed their way by every male in the general vicinity.

Jerked back to awareness by the prodding of Dru’s elbow, Spike led her to a table near where Buffy and Willow were dancing and when they left the floor Spike called Buffy’s name.

“Oh yay,” Buffy muttered under her breath when she spied them. Squaring her shoulders she approached the table confidently.

“Good evening Spike. Dru.”

“Hello Buffy.”

The two women glared icily at each other, both sizing up the competition. Noticing the vibes between them Spike sought to ease the tension. “Are you having a good night love?”

“I’m having a great night,” Buffy replied. “And it’s only going to get better.”

Caught fast in her gaze he asked, “And why is that?”

Buffy tilted her head slightly and flashed him her ‘special smile’. “Because I’m here to have a little fun.” Then she waggled her eyebrows at them cheekily and sauntered off into the crowd.

**********

Spike sat gritting his teeth in impotent fury. He was trying to pay attention to Drusilla, after all they were supposed to be on a date. However, Cordelia and a couple of Dru’s other friends had joined them a few hours earlier so he was freed from being too attentive. That, of course, only gave him more time to watch Buffy having ‘fun’.

Faith had shown up not long after they’d spoken and joined her and Willow on the dance floor. Willow was currently tucked into a corner with the lead guitarist of Dingoes Ate My Baby, who had just finished their last set. Buffy and Faith were still on the floor, dancing as if their lives depended on it. They flirted with each other blatantly, to the delight of the throng of guys surrounding them. Buffy had danced with practically every guy they went to school with and quite a few they didn’t know. Granted she hadn’t let any of them get too close but still…there were so damn many of them!

“Well now we know what happens when a nerd decides to play dress-up.” Cordelia’s sarcastic tone just reached him over the sound of his own blood rushing through his veins. “Instant slut. Just add lipstick.”

The others at the table laughed but Spike pinned her with a glare. “Watch your mouth Chase.”

“Oh I’m sorry William,” Cordelia sneered. “I forgot little miss trampy used to be your friend.”

“There’s no ‘used to be’ about it,” Spike replied. “And make no mistake, Buffy’s more of a lady than you’ll ever be.”

Ignoring Dru’s frown Spike turned back to the floor only to find Buffy gone. Catching a glimpse of blonde hair toward the back of the club he took after her like a shot. She had just entered the short corridor that led to the bathrooms when he caught up with her.

“Buffy.”

Surprised by his sudden appearance Buffy walked back toward him with a cheerful smile. “Hey there Spike.”

He could see the faint sheen of perspiration still on her brow. Her eyes sparkled with life and her skin was flushed from her exertions. Everything about her called to him like the sweetest siren and that only added to his irritation.

“What do you think you’re doing out there?”

Puzzled by his tone and the anger she sensed in him she instinctively took a step back. “What are you talking about? I’m just dancing. Having a good time.”

“Is that what you call it? Rubbing up against Faith like a lover, then passing yourself around to any man who comes up to you?”

“Excuse me?” Indignation flooded through her as he spoke. “I am not doing anything wrong. I will dance with whomever I choose, however I choose. Since you’ve obviously been watching me so closely you will know that not one of them has laid so much as a hand on me.” She took a step towards him, until she was just short of touching him. “And Spike, if I want that to change, that’s my choice as well.”

“You know what you’re doing to them. You’ve got every male in the club sporting a raging hard-on for you.”

Buffy’s eyes dropped to the front of Spike’s jeans, then she raised them back to his face with a whisper of a smile. “Every male?”

Spike control snapped and he pushed her back into the wall, pressing his body up against hers roughly. “Yes.” He threaded his hands deep into her hair, holding her head still. “Is that what you want Buffy? To drive me mad for you?”

Shocked, and a little frightened, by his actions Buffy could only shake her head. “No.”

“No?” He echoed. Allowing her to turn her head away from him he took the opportunity to press his lips against the heated skin of her neck, licking at the saltiness he found there. “You don’t want me to want you?” he asked throatily. Sliding one hand down he cupped her breast, making her whimper when his thumb brushed over the hardened tip. “To touch you?”

Though her mind was screaming for him to stop Buffy’s body rebelled, arching eagerly into his. This brief taste of everything she wanted from him was torture and she cried out at the exquisite agony of it.

“Tell me you want me Buffy,” he whispered against her ear, groaning when she trembled in his arms.

“No, “ she gasped, desperate to stop him before they went any further. “William stop, you’re hurting me.”

His reaction was like lightening. He tore himself away from her, pain flashing across his shocked features, as he realised what he’d done. “Buffy I’m so sorry–” he began, but she cut him off.

“No! I won’t do this Spike.” She pinned him with her eyes, making sure she had his full attention. “You want to hear me say it?” she asked angrily. “I still want you. I do. These feelings…they haven’t gone away. But you can’t have it both ways Spike. You’re with Dru. So you can’t touch me or kiss me. Not anymore. And I won’t wait for you.” Stifling a sob Buffy disappeared back into the club.

Spike leant back again the wall, pressing the heels of his hands against his temples as he struggled to regain his breath. Blood pounded through his veins with a ferocity he’d never felt before. Anger, hurt, confusion, passion, love. His breath hitched as the word screamed through his brain. Love. Was he in love with Buffy?

“Spike?”

He hadn’t realised Dru had entered the hallway until she spoke. Trying to collect himself he pushed away from the wall and walked over to her. She watched him with knowing eyes, as if she knew what would happen next. Had expected it all along. He stood before her, his body still awash with emotion from the confrontation with Buffy, and he realised that Dru, for all her mysteries, would never inspire in him such a torrent of feeling. She was still beautiful to him, with her dark features and soft curves. But suddenly, when he looked at Dru now, he felt nothing.
Ch 12 - Making up by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Hi Everyone. Thank you so much for the best wishes for me and my son. And also for the support you've given me regarding this story. It's nice to know that so many of you are willing to be patient when it comes to updates. I really do want to keep this story moving as quickly as possible and your support means the world to me. Hugs, flibble.
Chapter Twelve

Buffy lay in bed starring sightlessly at the ceiling. Sleep eluded her as the events of the night replayed in her head over and over. Every time she thought of Spike’s body pressed against her, his hand upon her breast, she burned anew. The tips of her fingers brushed repeatedly over her nipple, emulating his touch. Quiet whimpers of need sounded in the silence of her room as her back arched off the bed. The memory of his voice, harsh with lust, only served to fuel her arousal further. But then, just as the sensations threatened to overwhelm her, she remembered that right now, at this very moment, he would be with Drusilla. The image of them together, their bodies entwined, flashed in her mind and a fresh tear rolled down her cheek.

A startled gasp escaped her as she heard a strange noise. For a moment she lay frozen, listening. When she heard the knocking again she threw back the covers and scrambled down the bed to the window. Casting a quick glance outside she felt her heart begin to race as she undid the latch and slid the window open.

Spike eased quietly into the room. He looked exactly the same as he had when she’d seen him at the club, except now his hair was all mussed. As if he’d run his fingers through it repeatedly. Defiant curls were finding their way into the gelled locks and Buffy realised that she preferred it that way. It softened him somehow, made him seem more…touchable. Halting that thought in its tracks Buffy looked down at the floor. No touching. Bad Buffy!

Spike watched Buffy nervously as she stared at the floor. He’d been pacing beneath the tree outside her room for the past hour trying to figure out what to say. Now that he was standing in front of her even the woefully bad speech he had prepared had completely deserted him. She looked so sweet in her Yummy Sushi pyjamas. There was no trace of the vixen who’d earlier stalked towards him and blithely asked him if she’d made him hard. Instead he was captivated by the small feminine toes that wiggled anxiously beneath the hem of her pants, the twin plaits that hung across her shoulders, the innocent face, now free of make-up, which seemed so solemn. Looking closer he thought he saw a tinge of redness about her eyes and his gut twisted at the thought that he could have caused her tears.

“Buffy.” His voice was hoarse and he cleared his throat before trying again. “I’m sorry for just showing up like this but…I had to see you.”

“Why?” She was so quiet he had to strain to hear her.

“To apologise. I’m sorry for how I acted tonight. I never should have treated you like that. I just…” He paused, taking a deep breath before plunging on. “I was jealous as hell. It tears me apart to see you with other men.”

Buffy looked up suddenly, anger flashing in her green eyes. “I don’t belong to you Spike.”

“I know.” He kept his eyes downcast, determined to acknowledge the truth of her words despite the possessiveness that streaked through him.

“You had no right to criticise me,” she continued.

“I know, you’re right.”

Her anger deflated in the face of his ready agreement and she was left feeling oddly dissatisfied. “Well then…I suppose I accept your apology.”

Spike smiled in relief. “Thank you.”

Sighing heavily Buffy sat down on the bed, motioning for him to join her. “So where’s Dru?” she asked, trying not to sound bitter as she forced out the name. “Have you taken her home already?”

Looking uncomfortable Spike ran his fingers through his hair, further mussing it. “No. I…I don’t actually know where she is.” At Buffy’s puzzled expression he explained. “I broke things off with her.”

Buffy’s eyes lit up with surprise. “Really?” When he nodded she felt delight bubble up inside of her and ducked her head to cover her grin. Then she thought to wonder, “Why did you do it? Because of what happened tonight?”

“Yes and no.” Spike shrugged. “It would have happened eventually, tonight just kind of sped things up.”

In spite of her misgivings regarding what he meant by that statement, Buffy found curiosity getting the better of her. Crossing her legs in front of her on the bed she rested her head on one hand and tried her best to look only mildly interested. “How so?”

“You know how I always thought Dru was kind of…intriguing. The way she’s always saying strange things and talking in riddles. I guess it appealed to the poet in me. I wanted to get inside her brain and wade through all the mysteries of her universe or some such rot.”

Rolling her eyes Buffy picked at a loose thread on her bedspread, not really wanting to hear about Spike’s infatuation. “Yeah, I remember.”

“Well,” he continued, “it turns out there isn’t that much to wade through.”

“Huh?” Surprise made Buffy meet his gaze.

“All those riddles and things. She seems to be saying profound things but scratch the surface and she’s just bug shagging crazy. None of it means anything. Made for really boring dinner conversation.”

“Oh.” It was all Buffy could think to say.

“Not that she much cared, all she ever wanted to do was–” Spike broke off suddenly, turning red. “Umm, yeah, so anyway…I ended it.”

Deciding to ignore the awkward change in topic Buffy asked, “How did she take it?”

“Let’s just say that by the time I left the club she was tucked into a corner with Angel doing things that were making her fellow patrons blush.”

Despite his light-hearted tone Buffy felt a lump form in her throat. “Doing things she has been doing with you.”

Spike froze. “Yeah, I guess.”

“You told me you’d just kissed.” Her tone wasn’t accusing or disapproving, but the traces of hurt he could hear in her made him feel guilty as hell.

“I know. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, I just…I didn’t know what to say.”

“Did you and she…”

“No,” Spike replied emphatically, already knowing where her question was leading. “She wanted to but, it just didn’t feel right.”

Buffy released a pent up sigh as relief coursed through her. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t even have asked. It’s none of my business.”

Spike took her hand in his, squeezing her fingers. “Hey. It’s okay. I want you to know.”

“I could tell,” Buffy snuck a glance up at him, her eyes suddenly curious. “When you, tonight, the way you…were…with me. I could tell that you’d done those things before.”

“Buffy no,” Spike frowned, distressed by her words. “It’s true Dru and I made out a couple of times but it wasn’t like–” He stumbled, unsure how to explain without sounding like a complete tosser. “It was like it didn’t mean anything. I guess that’s why I stopped her. There was no feeling behind it, no warmth. That’s what I realised tonight. I could never want her the way I…” He trailed off, fearing the response he would get if he revealed how much he wanted Buffy now. Cautiously raising his eyes he saw that she was still staring at the covers, steadfastly avoiding his gaze. Kicking himself for pushing her too fast he tried a different tack. “I miss you Buffy.”

Silent tears slipped down Buffy’s cheek. “I miss you too.” The corners of her mouth lifted and Spike felt hope flare anew in his chest.

“When all this started we promised to be there for each other. But already we’ve yelled at each other and hurt each other more than anyone else ever could. How the hell did we manage to screw it up so damn fast?”

“I’ve been asking myself that same question.” Buffy laughed, finally starting to relax for the first time since she’d caught sight of him outside her window. “A part of me wishes we could just go back a week and start over.”

“Not a full week I hope pet.” Spike’s voice was low but teasing. “There are a few experiences near the beginning there that I’d rather hold on to.”

Knowing he was referring to the night they kissed Buffy couldn’t help the silly grin that appeared. Self-consciously she looked away. “True. Maybe just from Monday morning then.”

Spike appeared to mull that thought over for a moment before suggesting, “Why don’t we?”

Buffy frowned. “What do you mean?”

“I mean Angel and Dru are both history. And here we are, still best friends and single. It appears to me that we’re pretty much back where we started. Can’t we just go back to the way things were before school started?”

“As much as I’d love to say yes it’s just not that easy. We dated the most popular people in school and then dumped them both in one week. That’s going to have repercussions.”

Spike shook his head. “I know but I’m not talking about that. I don’t care about other people – not anymore. I just want to know that we’re okay. I want things to be the way they were between us.”

Buffy sighed. “Okay,” she finally conceded. “I’ll try if you will.”

Spike smiled gratefully. “Great.” He rose from the bed. “I should probably get going before your Mum walks in and finds me in your bedroom in the middle of the night.”

Buffy followed Spike back to the open window. When he turned and pulled her into a fierce hug she met him willingly, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck. “Friends then?” she asked happily, her head tucked comfortably in the crook of his neck.

Pulling away so he could see her face Spike grinned mischievously, his eyes flitting from her sparkling eyes to her mouth and back again. “For now.”

Leaning closer he placed a lingering kiss on her cheek and then slipped out the window and into the night.
Ch 13 - Repercussions by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Hi everyone. For those of you that are still reading this story I'd like to say thank you so much for your patience. I had such a great time writing this chapter. Buffy kicks arse! I hope you enjoy it. I'm really really really hoping to write and post the next chapter within the week.
Chapter Thirteen

As Buffy left the house and approached the De Soto first thing Monday morning she flashed Spike a cheerful smile. She had no idea what would happen between them in the future but she felt confident that their friendship was still as strong as it had ever been. Knowing that they were both free to follow wherever their hearts might lead only added to her good mood.

Eager to start the day on the right foot Buffy had gotten up early in order to pay special attention to her appearance. She’d curled her hair before pulling it back in a high ponytail. Now it cascaded down her shoulder blades in shimmering waves. Her white shirt enhanced her golden skin and her pale green shirt brought out the colour of her eyes. Heeled sandals gave extra height to her long, slender legs.

She felt a giddy satisfaction as she saw Spike’s eyes slowly travel the length of her. Climbing into the car she noticed Spike adjusting his jacket over his lap and she bit back a giggle at his discomfit. Feeling playful she leaned toward him and pecked him on the cheek, allowing a sultry smile to creep its way across her lips. “Morning Spike.”

“Morning kitten,” he purred, still staring at her as he started the engine with a quick flick of his wrist.

The trip to school was spent talking about their respective weekends, though they both steered clear of the events of Friday night. The awkwardness that had snuck into their interactions of late was noticeably absent and they both enjoyed the simple pleasure of being together.

Walking into the school they noticed a few people staring at them and whispering amongst themselves. “Remember those repercussions you talked about love?” Spike ventured as they took their seats in homeroom. “I think they might be upon us.”

Buffy agreed, feeling increasingly anxious about the way some of the girls looked at her with disapproval, while the guys openly leered at her. Staring as if they were evaluating the quality of a side of beef.

Glancing at Spike she saw the anger on his face as he glared at the males in the room. Not wanting the situation to escalate she placed a hand on Spike’s arm. “Don’t worry,” she whispered. “I can handle this. I’ll find out what’s going on and I’ll deal with it.”

Spike nodded curtly, his jaw clenched, but he continued to stare down every male that dared look at her.

When she approached her locker a short time later Buffy found Parker, the school’s quarterback, waiting for her.

“Hi Buffy.” His tone was smarmy as he looked her up and down in a way that made Buffy’s skin crawl.

All but ignoring him Buffy opened her locker and began gathering books for her first class. “Is there something I can do for you Parker?”

He grinned at her then, exuding an arrogant confidence. “You can go out with me tonight.”

Wary of such an out of the blue request Buffy looked at him askance. “Why?”

“I thought we could get to know each other a little better.” He reached out to trail his fingers down Buffy’s arm but she managed to scoot out of his reach just in time.

“Gee thanks but actually I already know you as well as I want to.” Quickly backing away she fled to her class where she found Willow waiting for her. “What the hell is going on?”

Willow cringed and leaned close so no one else would be able to hear them. “Oh Buffy, I’m so sorry. It’s Angel. He’s telling people that you changed your look just so he’d go out with you and that you threw yourself at him as soon as you found out he and Dru broke up.” She paused and Buffy knew the worst was yet to come. “Buffy he’s saying that you had sex with him…that you seduced him.”

“He said what?!” Buffy’s eyes went wide as she realised she’d shouted. Face flaming she looked around, knowing now what everyone thought she’d done. Pulling her pride around her she sat back down and focused her attention back on Willow.

“Tell me the rest,” she whispered.

Gulping, Willow spoke grimly. “According to Angel, when he saw Dru with Spike he realised he still loved her and dumped you to get her back…they’re back together by the way.”

Buffy scoffed. “Only because Spike broke up with her and she’s such a ho she didn’t want to go home alone.”

Willow shook her head in disbelief. “Well to hear them tell it Dru only went out with Spike to make Angel jealous. Then she dumped him when Angel came back to her.”

Gasping, Buffy could only stare at Willow. “That is such crap,” she exclaimed suddenly. “They’re lying through their teeth about all of it.”

“I know.” Willow cringed. “Some people see through it all but most…” She shrugged. “It’s such juicy gossip, I don’t think they really care if it’s true or not.”

Buffy groaned in dismay. “I’m going to kill that arsehole.”

“Excuse me Miss Summers.”

Buffy and Willow’s heads snapped to the front of the room as their teacher’s exasperated voice reached them.

“Would you mind planning your foe’s demise another time? I would like to start my class.”

Mumbling an apology Buffy dropped her eyes to her book, trying to ignore the whispers of those around her.

**********

Spike’s hands clenched and unclenched at his sides as he barrelled through the hallways determinedly. When he finally caught sight of Angel he headed straight for him. “O’Connor!”

Angel turned at the sound of his name, smirking when he saw Spike’s angry approach.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing telling lies about Buffy?”

Angel sniggered. “What makes you think I’m telling lies Billy Boy?” Stepping closer he sneered in Spike’s face. “She was a hell of a ride.”

Spike snapped. Pulling back his fist he slammed it into Angel’s jaw and the taller man fell to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

“Spike!” Buffy ran up just in time to stop Spike from pulling Angel up off the ground just so he could knock him down again. Putting her hands on his chest she pushed him backward, desperate to stop him from getting into trouble. “Please Spike. He isn’t worth it.”

Angel got back on his feet, his features twisted in a mask of rage. “What’s wrong Billy? Disappointed that I got there first?”

“You son of a bitch,” Spike snarled, launching himself at Angel once again.

“Giles!” The bark of the principal’s voice resounded throughout the hall, bringing everyone within the vicinity to a standstill. “My office – now!” Seeing the dark purple bruise quickly forming on Angel’s jaw he added, “Go see the nurse O’Connor. Get some ice on that.”

As Buffy watched Spike follow the principal in one direction and Angel head in the other she knew she had to do something before this got any further out of control. With a determined stride she headed for the nurse’s office. Angel might have been in physical pain from Spike’s blow, but that was nothing compared to what she was about to do to him.

**********

When Buffy entered the Nurse’s office she was glad to find Angel alone. He was holding an icepack to his jaw and obviously brooding about how he would get revenge on Spike. Buffy swung the door closed behind her, effectively drawing Angel’s attention.

“What do you want?” Angel snapped at her.

“This isn’t about what I want,” Buffy said firmly, coming to stand in front of him. “This is about what you will do.”

Angel snorted. “And what is that, pray tell?”

Buffy smiled coldly. “You will retract the lies you’ve been spreading about me and Spike. That I was desperate to have you. That I had sex with you. That I seduced you. That Dru was using Spike and that she dumped him. You will retract all of them and you will do it by the end of the day.”

As she spoke Angel’s smirk grew until finally, by the time she had finished, he was chuckling sadistically. Finally he asked, “And why would I do that?”

“Because,” Buffy replied calmly, “if you don’t then I will admit to having sex with you. I will also say it was the most disappointing seven seconds of my life.”

With a roar Angel sprang up off the table he’d been sitting on. Throwing the icepack against a wall he stepped forward, crowding her. “You little bitch, you wouldn’t dare.”

Though she was shaking with fear inside Buffy met him toe to toe, refusing to let him intimidate her the way he used to. “Oh wouldn’t I?”

Angel snarled. “Don’t play with me little girl. You’ll get burned.”

“I’ll get burned?” Buffy laughed in his face. “I was the subject of taunts for years. I can handle anything you or anyone else in this school can throw at me. Make no mistake Angel, you’re the only one with something to lose here. I could decimate your reputation by the end of the week.”

“No one will believe a word you say. I’ll see to that.”

“But it won’t just be me. I’ll find an ally in every person you’ve ever picked on. That must be half the school by now. You won’t know who is going to say what about you next.” Adopting a mischievous expression she continued, “Just imagine what will happen when I have a heart to heart with Cordelia about how I’ve recently discovered that size really does matter after all.”

“No!” The rage in Angel’s voice had been replaced with sheer panic and she had to stop herself from sagging in relief when she realised she was going to win this round.

“This of course is all conjecture though isn’t it Angel.” She paused to make sure she had his full attention. “All you have to do is tell everyone you lied. Then you and I can forget we ever even met each other.”

“What will I tell people?”

“As long as Spike and I come out on top I really don’t care.” Heading for the door she proceeded to warn him, “Oh and Angel, if you even think of trying to double cross me just remember this…” She paused in the doorway, looking back over her shoulder at him impishly. “I’m so much smarter than you.”

Angel sat in stunned silence staring at the empty doorway for a long time after she was gone.
Ch 14 - Finding each other by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Hi all! Thank you so much for your reviews of the last chapter. I was so stoked to see that people are still tuning in. Now you get a nice spuffy reward. I hope you enjoy!
Chapter Fourteen

As they drove home that afternoon Buffy was groaning into her hands. “I can’t believe you got suspended. Your Dad is gonna freak.”

Spike cringed momentarily. “Yeah he will at first. But once I explain to him why I punched Angel he’ll be okay. Plus it’s only for this week. If anything he’ll probably be all proud that I was defending your honour.”

Giggling, Buffy put on her best sappy heroine voice. “My hero.”

“Damn right.” Spike nodded emphatically.

“Still…suspension sucks.”

“I think Principal Wood only suspended me because he felt he had to. He seemed more worried about me hurting my chances of getting into a good college by getting into fights than he did about the damage I did to Angel’s face.”

Buffy laughed. “At least it’s all over now.”

Glancing at her sideways Spike asked curiously, “How did you convince Angel to tell people that someone else started the rumours and that they weren’t true. It’s like he’s making out that the four of us are good friends and that we helped he and Dru find their way back to each other.’”

Buffy shrugged mysteriously. “Oh, I just informed Angel of what would happen to him if he didn’t fix things.” She looked very proud of herself. “He was quite unmanned by the whole thing.”

Spike laughed loudly, shaking his head. “You’re amazing, you know that?”

“I do,” Buffy replied with mock arrogance. “But you can tell me any time you like.”

As Spike turned into Buffy’s driveway she moved to a more serious topic. “How about on Saturday we spend the day together. We can go to the gym early in the morning. Study for the rest of the day so I can catch you up on what you’ve missed in class. Then we can order pizza and watch bad movies all night.”

Spike smiled at her enthusiasm. “Sounds like a plan pet. Count me in.”

**********

Left foot, right foot. Left foot, right foot. Spike tried to concentrate on his breathing as he pounded out an ever growing distance on the treadmill. Again and again his gaze was irresistibly drawn back to Buffy as she participated in the yoga class being held in the large carpeted area right in front of him.

She was side on to him so he could see her in profile. Her trim, toned body was accentuated by her form fitting workout gear. Currently she was in the upward dog position. Lying flat on her front with pointed toes, she’d lifted her upper body off the floor by straightening her arms. Her face was lifted toward the ceiling, the very picture of concentration. Spike could see her chest straining forward as she held the position, her buttocks quivering with tension as she kept her knees up off the floor.

At a word from the instructor she moved with a smooth motion into the downward dog position. Rolling onto her toes she pushed back on her arms and lifted her butt in the air until she formed a perfect upside down V. Staring at her perfectly formed arse sticking up in the air, her legs slightly parted, Spike couldn’t help but imagine stepping up to her from behind. She was at the perfect height. He could easily grasp her hips in his hands, press himself against her. Feel the gentle trembling of her body against him.

Picking up speed Spike forced himself to look at the screen that tracked his progress, hoping to God the strain on his body would prevent him from getting an erection right there in the gym.

Left foot, right foot. Left foot, right foot.

**********

Buffy could only stare in amusement as Spike wolfed down the blueberry pancakes he’d ordered for breakfast at the café they’d gone to after leaving the gym.

Spying a crumb clinging to the corner of his mouth she found herself imagining cleaning it up for him. With her tongue. She could almost taste the traces of maple syrup, feel the smooth texture of his lips. When his own tongue darted out to collect the crumb Buffy quickly stifled a groan.

“Everything okay love?”

Snapping back to reality she gasped, feeling her face go red with embarrassment. “Fine,” she blurted out. “Shall we head back to my place? Hit the books?”

**********

Spike watched Buffy chew on her bottom lip as she worked on a particularly tricky algebra problem. I wouldn’t mind a taste of that lip, he thought hungrily. The end of his pen tapped restlessly against his notebook, eventually drawing Buffy’s attention.

Seeing him staring at her she blushed. “Spike? Are you finished already?”

A slow, lazy smile spread over Spike’s face as he shook his head. “No.” After a long pause he sighed dramatically and made a show of returning to his work.

Buffy smiled in pleasure at his obvious attentions, suddenly finding her own concentration had disappeared.

**********

“Goodnight kids.” Joyce paused on her way up the stairs. “William will I be finding you on my couch in the morning?”

Spike grinned sheepishly. “Probably. We rented way too many movies for one night.”

Joyce chuckled. “Okay. Well you know where everything is. I’ll be expecting some of your special hot chocolate at breakfast.”

“No problem there. I’ll make it extra chocolaty just for you,” Spike called as Joyce disappeared up the stairs.

Buffy entered the lounge room with a giant bowl of freshly made popcorn in her hands. “Hey buster. What about me? Don’t I warrant extra chocolate?”

“That depends.” Spike grinned saucily. “What do I get out of it?”

Buffy’s breath caught as a hundred different answers hovered on the tip of her tongue. Things she would love to do to earn herself a sweet treat. Finally, opting to throw his question back at him, she sauntered over and sat on the couch beside him. Leaning closer, so she was just short of invading his personal space, she asked, “What would you like me to do?”

Disconcerted by the innocent expression that cloaked her blatantly sexual question Spike could only stare at her, lost for words. Her lips twitched upward and his eyes dropped to her full inviting mouth. Spike knew that if he didn’t tighten the reigns on his dubious self-control he’d be pouncing on her in ways that would surely bring her mother back downstairs to throw him out of her house. Gulping, Spike forced himself to turn his whole body toward the television. “Maybe we should start the movie.”

A chuckle sounded beside him and he thought he heard a mumbled “chicken” before Buffy pressed play on the remote and curled up on the couch beside him as the credits started to roll.

**********

“Spike? Would you come back in ghostly form to save me like Patrick Swayze did for Demi Moore?”

“In a heartbeat pet.”

She peeked up at him from her place on his shoulder. “Really?”

He stroked her cheek softly. “I would slay dragons for you.”

Though he spoke quietly Buffy could hear the resolve in his voice and knew he spoke the truth. Feeling safe and protected she closed her eyes and sighed contentedly, a sweet smile gracing her lips.

Unable to stop himself Spike lowered is head, pressing his lips against hers in a feather-light kiss. When he straightened he found her watching him quietly from beneath droopy lids. Dipping his head again he quested for her mouth and found her lips parted in invitation. When their tongues met she made a small sound of pleasure in the back of her throat. Twining her left arm around his neck she held him closer, deepening their kiss.

With a quiet groan Spike pulled her up beside him, rolling them until they lay side by side on the couch. Their bodies flush against one another on the narrow cushions.

For long moments they lay staring at each other in the dim light cast by the television. Both knew that if they went any further there would be no going back. This was not the red hot lust of pounding music and sexy clothing. It was not the giddy infatuation of flirtation and innuendo. Nor was it the comfort of friendship and trust. This was just them. Buffy and Spike. This was real.

Spike reached up to run his thumb over her bottom lip. Buffy’s heart was pounding in her chest, her body trembling with need.

“Buffy,” he whispered.

“Yes?”

He moved closer, nuzzling her lips with his own. His fingers slid along her neck, causing her to shiver violently. “Do you feel it?”

She knew what he was talking about. The electricity that was sparking between them. That had been growing and strengthening for weeks now. Passion. Naked, raw, deep.

Grasping his bicep with an unsteady hand Buffy licked her lips nervously. “I feel it.”

With a muffled groan Spike captured her mouth once again, delighting when she responded with fervour. His hand explored her body slowly, treasuring the discovery of each dip and curve. When he reached her hip Spike’s fingertips dug into her hungrily. Bending one knee he slipped it between her legs, fitting their hips together before he began to move.

Gasping loudly Buffy tore her mouth from his. Eyes wide, she could only stare at him, new sensations flooding her body as he slowly rocked his hip against her. Tentatively she rolled her hips, meeting his, and was rewarded with a low growl from deep within his throat. Gaining confidence she repeated the movement and soon they were moving together in slow, intense undulations.

Buffy could feel moisture pooling between her legs. Her core throbbed heavily as she rode Spike’s thigh at a leisurely pace. His hand trailed up her body, closing over her breast and she arched into it. Her hard nipple pressed eagerly against his palm and she twisted in pleasure.

Spike captured her mouth once again, mindful of the increasing amount of noise she was making as she writhed against him. He’d never imagined she would respond so completely to his touch and he found himself enthralled by her beauty. Though his body ached, he was driven by the need to simply watch her come apart in his arms.

Breaking their kiss he leaned over to place his lips next to her ear. “Buffy, come for me baby.” As the words left his throat in a husky whisper he simultaneously pinched her nipple between his fingers and lifted his thigh against her, pressing hard against her heat. She began to quake in his arms and Spike swooped down on her mouth just in time to stifle her ardent cries.

Buffy thought she would faint as her body shook with an explosion of ecstasy. Never in her life had she experienced this flood of emotion and rapture, and she wondered absently if she would die from the pleasure. Finally, as the intensity began to ebb she was left feeling warm and satisfied and…loved.

She lifted drowsy lids to find Spike watching her with something akin to awe. “My Buffy,” he whispered. “You’re incredible.”

Buffy smiled tiredly. “Mmmmmm. That was amazing. You’re amazing.”

For a moment they lay quietly, enjoying the intimacy of the moment. Seeing her yawn Spike gently pushed her hair back behind her ear. “You should close your eyes…get some rest.”

“But what about you?” Buffy asked sleepily, still able to feel the hard length of him pressed against her thigh.

“Don’t worry about me,” he replied with a contented sigh. “We have all the time in the world Buffy. And I’m not going anywhere.”

Buffy smiled, even as she drifted off to sleep. “Neither am I.”
Ch 15 - Busted! by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the great reviews. They really make my day. : ) I hope you enjoy the new chapter.
Chapter Fifteen

Buffy’s eyes flickered open to see early morning sunlight streaming through the window. For a moment she was confused as to why she was waking up on the living room couch. Then she rolled over and saw Spike sound asleep on the floor in front of her. The events of the night just past replayed through her mind and she blushed furiously even as she felt a giddy grin cover her face.

They were both covered with warm blankets and Spike’s head rested on an old pillow with a bright pink spotted pillow case. Realising he must have retrieved the bedding from the linen closet after she’d fallen asleep, she was grateful for his consideration. If her mother had come downstairs to find them curled up together on the couch she would have been facing a great many awkward and embarrassing questions.

Hearing footsteps coming down the stairs she sat up, rubbing the last traces of sleep from her eyes.

Joyce entered the room clad in a dressing gown and fuzzy slippers. “You two didn’t sit up all night watching movies did you?”

Buffy looked at her mother’s surprised face with a sheepish grin. “Umm, I think we must have fallen asleep at about three or so?”

Joyce clucked her tongue as she turned to head for the kitchen. “I swear you kids…I wish I had your stamina.”

Buffy caught a movement out of the corner of her eye and looked down to see Spike giving a huge yawn. His back was arched, his arms extended over his head as he stretched like a big cat. Buffy sighed dreamily as she watched him, wondering what it would be like to wake up wrapped in those muscular arms. “Morning cutie.”

Pulled from her fantasy Buffy saw him smiling up at her sexily and her own grin returned instantly. “Morning.”

Raising up on his elbows he lifted his face toward her. “Give me some sugar baby.”

Buffy laughed, holding her hand up to her mouth. “I can’t, I have morning breath.”

“So do I. Now get down here.”

Giving in with a dramatic sigh Buffy leaned over, slowly lowering her lips to his. Their kiss was slow and tender. Buffy’s lips slid over his with a new confidence, relishing the freedom she now had to kiss him at her leisure.

“Do you two want some–oh.”

Buffy and Spike sprang apart, staring wide-eyed at Joyce as she stood speechless in the doorway.

“Mom. I…umm…” Buffy gulped, wishing she could bury her head in the couch cushions.

“Ahh, I thought you might like some pancakes.” Now that she’d gotten over the shock, a look of amusement appeared on Joyce’s face, as if she suddenly found their discomfit rather funny.

“Sure Mom,” Buffy squeaked. “That would be great.”

Nodding Joyce looked at Spike. “Don’t forget William, you promised me hot chocolate.”

Spike nodded stiffly. “No problem.”

Still wearing that look of bemusement, Joyce disappeared back into the kitchen, leaving Buffy and Spike to crawl back under their respective blankets, groaning in embarrassment.

**********

It was later that day, long after Spike had gone home, that Joyce walked into Buffy’s room and sat on the edge of her bed. Though she’d been dreading it, Buffy had been waiting for just this kind of ‘it’s time to have a talk’ behaviour all day. Dropping her pen onto her half-finished English assignment she turned to face her mother and waited for her to begin.

“So you and William are dating?” Joyce asked bluntly.

“Wow. I thought you’d be a little smoother with the lead-in.”

Joyce shrugged nonchalantly. “So did I. But then I figured there wasn’t much point. Now dish.”

Buffy smiled at her mother’s somewhat out of date turn of phrase. “Okay. We haven’t actually gotten to the date part yet but…yeah, I guess we’re together.”

“When did this happen?”

“Officially? Last night.” Buffy’s eyes took on a dreamy glow as she remembered the look on Spike’s face as he kissed her. “Right after we finished watching Ghost.”

Joyce scoffed. “I should have known. That pottery wheel has a lot to answer for.”

Buffy giggled. “Actually it’s been coming on for a while now.”

“Gee you think?” Joyce chuckled. “I’m surprised the two of you didn’t combust months ago.”

“Mom!”

“Well it’s true.” The two women laughed together before Joyce asked quietly. “Do you love him Buffy?”

Buffy’s gaze dropped to her hands as they fidgeted in her lap. In her mind’s eye she saw Spike. Laughing with her. Dancing with her. Fighting for her. Holding her. Finally she looked her mother in the eye and answered with certainty. “Yeah. I do.”

Sighing, Joyce smiled knowingly and reached out to cover Buffy’s hands with her own. “Promise me something?”

Buffy looked at her mother questioningly.

Joyce rose from the bed, obviously overcome with emotion. “Oh this is such a special time in your life Buffy. I just want you to enjoy every moment of it. Just promise me you’ll take it slow? Don’t rush anything.”

Relieved that her mother was supportive of her growing relationship with Spike Buffy nodded. “I promise.”

“Good.” Obviously feeling better after having gotten that off her chest Joyce reached into her pocket and handed Buffy a small box. “Now keep some of those in your purse at all times.”

Shocked, Buffy looked from her mother to the box of condoms and back again. Several times. “But I didn’t…we haven’t even talked about…” Wide-eyed, she pointed a finger at her mother accusingly. “I thought you just told me you wanted me to take it slow.”

Joyce nodded firmly. “I did. And I do. But I’m not stupid Buffy. I know what it’s like to be in love for the first time. It’s better to be safe than sorry. I’m much too young to be a grandmother.”

Buffy blanched and clutched the box tightly to her chest. “I’ll take them. I promise.”

“Good.” Apparently done with the topic Joyce seemed happy to change tracks completely. “How about some dinner?”

For a moment Buffy sat there, her mouth still hanging open. “Umm…okay.” Hurriedly throwing the box of condoms into the drawer of her bedside table she followed her mother out the door.

“Oh and Buffy?” Joyce commented as they descended the stairs. “For God’s sake don’t lose your virginity in the backseat of a car. It’s just not worth the discomfit. I speak from experience.”

“Eww, Mom!”
Ch 16 - Late night conversation by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Hi All. Sorry this chapter was so long in coming. I'm striving to step up my writing output. I hope you enjoy.
Chapter Sixteen

Buffy was just climbing into bed when the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hey pet. It’s Spike.”

“Hey you.” She grinned broadly as she slipped under the covers, getting comfortable with the phone pressed to her ear. “What are you up to late on this Sunday eve?”

He groaned loudly. “I’m supposed to be working on this blasted English essay. But I couldn’t stop thinking about my girl.”

“Oh really,” Buffy said mischievously. “Well, I think it’s very irresponsible of her to come between you and your academic muse. Would you like me to tell her off for you?”

“I don’t know.” She could hear the laughter in his voice. “She’s pretty feisty. She might fight back.”

Buffy giggled. “That’s okay. I can take her.”

“Oh I don’t doubt it,” Spike agreed. “You could take down an army with nothing more than a look and a few well-chosen words.”

“I don’t know about an army, but I think I can hold my own with the Angels of this world now. That’s enough for me.”

Spike chuckled. “Too right. So what are you doing pet?”

“Actually I was just getting into bed when you called.”

Spike groaned into the phone. “Oh that’s a dangerous thing for you to admit to me right now.”

“And why is that?” Buffy asked with a contented sigh.

“Because you’re only two blocks away and I could be there in under five minutes.”

“Hmmm.” Buffy’s eyes drifted closed as she imagined having him there beside her. His lips just a whisper away as his tempting words tickled her ear.

“What are you thinking?”

Buffy exhaled softly, lost in her fantasy. “About you being here with me.”

Spike’s voice turned husky and she knew instinctively that he was becoming as aroused by their conversation as she was. “I’ve got this image in my head of you lying there. Your beautiful golden hair spread out around you. A sheet draped over your delicious body. Looking all sexy in your…what are you wearing?”

Buffy glanced down at her old white night gown and cringed. “Umm…who says I’m wearing anything at all?”

Suddenly, she heard the phone clatter to the floor and mere moments later there was a loud crash, followed by Spike swearing vehemently.

“Spike?” Buffy called but there was no answer.

Then she heard him pick up the phone. “Buffy? Are you still there?”

“Yes I’m still here. What the hell happened?”

Spike laughed suddenly. “Sorry love but I…umm…oh hell, I fell off the bloody chair.”

Stunned, Buffy burst out laughing as well. “Okay, as much as I like the idea of you falling for me, that wasn’t really what I had in mind.”

“Yeah, no kidding,” he replied sardonically. “But seriously love, if you tell me you’re really lying there naked while talking to me on the bloody phone I’m going to be climbing through your bedroom window before my brain even thinks about kicking into gear.”

“Okay, okay,” Buffy confessed, though she was secretly thrilled at the thought that she could cause such a violent reaction in him. “I’m wearing a really old daggy nightie. I just didn’t want to admit it.”

Spike ‘mmmed’ and she knew he’d gone straight back to picturing her. “Don’t worry love. You still look sexy to me.”

**********

An hour later Buffy was snuggled beneath her doona. The phone was tucked into the crook of her neck as she and Spike talked of things both intimate and ordinary. One hand was stretched above her head while the other traced slow circles around her belly button. She shivered pleasantly as she thought about what the touch of his hands had done to her the night before. “I’ve never felt anything like that before. It was…,” she smiled shyly, even in the darkness of her room, “unexpected.”

“I’ll say.” Spike responded eagerly. “I mean I’d thought about it. Probably more than you realise. And I’d hoped that something would happen between us. But last night…holding you…it was like touching the sun.”

Buffy smiled warmly. “Ahh, there’s my poet.”

Spike chuckled. “Yeah. It seems I can’t help myself.”

They were both silent for a few minutes, enjoying the closeness of the moment and the simple sound of each other’s breathing. Then, Spike laughed suddenly.

“What?”

“I thought I was a dead man when your Mum walked in on us kissing this morning.”

Buffy groaned at the memory. “God I thought I’d die from embarrassment.” Quick to reassure him she added, “Don’t worry though. You’re still welcome in casa del Summers.”

“So she doesn’t hate me then?”

“No. Actually she was really good about the whole thing. It seems she knew something was happening between us before we did.”

“What did you tell her…about us?”

Buffy bit her lip, suddenly a little nervous. “Well,” she began, hoping she wasn’t assuming too much. “I told her that we hadn’t actually dated but that we’re…together.” She paused. “We are together…aren’t we?”

“Love, you couldn’t get rid of me if you tried.”

Buffy smiled. “Well, I don’t think I’ll be trying to get rid of you anytime soon.”

“Good to know. But there is still the issue of us never actually having gone on a real date.”

“Yes. I suppose there is.”

“B-u-f-f-y?” He drew the word out and she tried not to giggle as excitement coursed through her.

“Yes Spike?”

“Would you like to go out on a date with me?”

Buffy adopted a business-like tone, unable to resist teasing him a little. “Well I’ll have to check my schedule. I’ll be pretty busy but I could possibly fit you in sometime around November.”

Spike snorted. “Oh now you’re asking for a spanking girl.”

“Promise?”

A sound somewhere between a splutter and a cough erupted from the phone. “Do you want me to fall off my chair again?!”

Buffy giggled uncontrollably, relishing the fact that she could drive him crazy. Finally she decided to put him out of his misery. “S-p-i-k-e?” She asked, emulating his earlier question.

“Yes Buffy?”

“I’d love to go out on a date with you.”

She could practically see Spike’s firm nod. “That’s more like it.”
Ch 17 - First date by Flibble
Chapter Seventeen

Buffy smoothed her skirt down nervously. The royal blue was nicely complimented by a fitted black top and strappy heels. Tonight she was going for sexy but classy. She wanted Spike to drool, but she also wanted him to be proud to have her on his arm. Anxiously she tugged and pulled on various parts of her outfit, trying to make everything sit just right. Finally she rolled her eyes and turned away from the mirror, vowing not to look in it again.

“What the hell is wrong with you Buffy?” she muttered to herself as she checked the contents of her purse for the third time. “It’s just Spike. There is absolutely no need to be nervous.”

The doorbell sounded downstairs and Buffy’s head snapped up on a gasp. Taking a deep breathe she glanced in the mirror one last time before making her way down the stairs just as her mother was letting Spike in through the front door. He was in the middle of greeting her mother when he glanced up and caught sight of her. He stopped talking mid-sentence and starred up at her with a huge grin. “Hello Buffy.”

Buffy’s heart thudded in her chest as she came to stand in front of him. “Hi.” Her voice seemed ridiculously high-pitched and she blushed in embarrassment.

“These are for you,” Spike said suddenly as a small bouquet of roses appeared under her nose.

Buffy took the flowers and sniffed them delicately. “Thank you.” God Buffy, can you manage more than two words at a time?

“You look beautiful.”

“Thank you. So do you.” She blushed again, feeling like an idiot, and resisted the urge the smack herself in the forehead. “I mean…you look very handsome.”

Spike smiled again, seemingly lost for words, and Buffy realised he was just as nervous as she was.

“Well now,” Joyce suddenly piped up from the sidelines, where she had been watching them with amusement. “Buffy, I’ll put these in some water for you. You kids go and have a great time.”

Suddenly springing into action Buffy gave her mother the flowers and allowed Spike to lead her out the front door. The drive to the restaurant was made in virtual silence. Buffy sat stiffly in her seat, wondering if their whole date would be this awkward. She cringed at the thought and searched for something, anything, to say. Just as she opened her mouth to speak Spike pulled the car off the road and parked. As she got out Buffy saw where they were and for a moment she just stared at the neon sign above the doorway. Déjà vu much?

“Is something wrong love?”

Snapping back to reality Buffy saw Spike frowning at her. “No of course not.” She tried to play it off but he wasn’t having it.

“Tell me,” he said curiously.

Inwardly groaning Buffy waved a dismissive hand. “It’s nothing really. This was the restaurant Angel took me to that’s all.” She panicked when she saw the way his face fell and she scrambled to make it better. “But this is good really because I can personally attest to the fact that the food here is excellent. And this time the company will be great too.”

Seeming to collect himself Spike proffered his arm so he could lead her inside. “You’re absolutely right love. I’m excellent company.”

Buffy smiled brightly, relieved that she hadn’t accidentally put a downer on the evening. “Exactly. Plus, I know you won’t be rude to the waiter.”

Spike looked confused. “Why on earth would I be rude to a waiter? I do not want anyone spitting in my food thank you very much.”

Buffy giggled and shook her head. “Eww. Your are so gross.”

Ten minutes later Buffy and Spike were sitting at their table, having just ordered their meals. The silence was deafening as they both looked nervously around the room, avoiding each other’s gaze.

“This place is nice,” Spike offered, obviously desperate for something to say.

“Yes. It’s lovely.”

Their eyes met and they stared at each other for a moment before both bursting into laughter.

“Bloody hell,” Spike exclaimed when he could speak again. “Could this possibly get any more unnerving?”

“I know what you mean,” Buffy gasped between giggles. “You’ve been my best friend for years and now suddenly I can’t get my tongue untied long enough to put a whole sentence together.”

Spike groaned dramatically. “I didn’t think it would be this hard.”

“Me neither.” Buffy shrugged. “Maybe it’s just a transitional thing. From friends to…err…couple.”

“Maybe.” Straightening in his chair Spike asked, “But things don’t have to be so different do they? I mean, you’re still my best friend. Just with…I don’t know…bonus bits.”

Buffy laughed at his tactless choice of words. “I guess that’s one way to put it.” She reached out to brush her fingertips against his hand and he immediately entwined their fingers together. “You’re right though. We’re still best friends. It’s just that now we make out on my Mom’s couch.”

Heat sparked in Spike’s eyes and his grip on her hand tightened. “Now there is one hell of a bonus bit,” he purred softly.

Buffy’s stomach did flip flops at the tone of his voice and it took a moment for her to drag herself out of lust bunny mode. “So then,” she murmured huskily. “We should just talk like friends. Like we always have. And then later, when we’re alone, we can…”

“Stop talking?” Spike raised one sexy eyebrow and gazed at her hungrily.

Breathing heavier now Buffy cleared her throat before she answered. “Something like that yes.”

Just then the waiter arrived with their food and the moment was broken. As they began to eat a much more comfortable silence fell between them and it wasn’t long before the conversation began to flow and their previous awkwardness was all but forgotten.

**********

“Oh my God, that chocolate mud cake was to die for,” Buffy moaned, a blissful smile on her face.

Spike grinned at her warmly. “I’m glad you liked it pet.”

“So where to now Mr Flirty Man?” Buffy asked cheekily.

“You’ll see,” Spike replied as they got into the car.

Twenty minutes later they arrived at a small lake near the edge of town. There was a picnic area with tables and barbeques, and a lit path around the lake. Perfect for couples to stroll hand in hand.

“Oh wow,” Buffy was saying. “I haven’t been here in ages, and never at night.” Grabbing Spike’s hand she dragged him down to the edge of the lake, drawing his arms around her waist as she gazed out over the water.

“Yeah well. I did not want to pull the whole ‘I know this place where you can see out over the whole town’ line on you. Especially considering when you get to said place you find at least a half dozen other cars, all with steamed up windows. Then you both end up sitting there thinking about whether or not you’re going to make out and who should make the first move and it’s all rather stupid and more than a little seedy. Not the way I wanted to end the evening.”

Buffy was giggling as Spike finished his long-winded explanation. “I take it you thought long and hard about this,” she teased.

Burying his face in Buffy’s hair Spike groaned in dismay. “Man that was so obvious wasn’t it?”

Buffy nodded emphatically, laughing at his distress. “Oh yeah.” A shiver ran through her and she pulled Spike’s arms tighter around her.

“Cold pet?” At Buffy’s nod Spike suggested, “How about we head back to the car. I’ll turn the heater on.”

Smiling, Buffy followed his lead. “Sounds cosy.”

Climbing back into the car Spike switched on the heater before enfolding Buffy in his arms. For a few minutes they sat silently looking out over the moonlit lake, enjoying each other’s company.

Then Buffy tilted her head back so she could look into Spike’s eyes. “Spike?” she whispered hesitantly.

“Hmmm?” Spike looked down, his gaze running over Buffy’s features, taking in the longing in her eyes. He gave a gentle smile. “My Buffy,” he murmured before capturing her lips with his own.

Buffy sighed in relief at the taste of him. Cupping the back of his neck she pulled him closer, deepening their kiss. Quickly her need to be closer grew to a fervour pitch and she whimpered, pressing herself against him.

“Buffy wait,” Spike panted, breaking away from her.

Smacking a hand over her mouth Buffy looked at him with wide eyes. “Oh no. I didn’t slobber again did I?”

Laughing as he caught his breath Spike assured her, “No pet. That’s not the problem.”

“Oh good.” Buffy reached out to cup his face in her hands, resting her forehead against his. “It’s just that, you drive me crazy.”

Spike groaned loudly. “Ditto on the crazy love. So crazy I feel like I’m going to explode.”

Buffy stared at him in wonder. “Really?” When he nodded she practically launched herself fat him, sliding over him so that she straddled him in his seat. “Show me,” she said quietly, running her hands down his chest to rest on his belt buckle.

Spike’s head snapped up at her words. “What?”

Hungrily Buffy squirmed in his lap and Spike grabbed her hips in an attempt to still her provocative movements. Leaning down to his ear she whispered, “I want to see you explode.”

Heat shot through Spike with the force of an electric shock and he bucked beneath her, causing her head to bump against the roof of the car. “Ouch!”

Spike paled instantly. “Oh God Buffy I’m so sorry.”

With one hand covering the sore spot Buffy laughed. “It’s okay. I’m okay.”

Refusing to be distracted from her goal Buffy scooted back a little in Spike’s lap and reached for his belt buckle.

Spike grabbed her hand. “Hang on.”

“What is it?”

“Well,” Spike confessed, “hurting you just now. It wasn’t exactly a turn on if you know what I mean.”

“Oh.” Buffy grinned excitedly. “We can fix that.” She took his lips again in a slow deep kiss, seducing his mouth with her teeth and tongue. Her hands crept under his shirt to play along the hard lines of his chest, before sliding down to his pants. Determinedly she unfastened his belt and lowered his zipper. Her hands hovered then, unsure of what to do next.

Sensing her hesitation Spike reached down to draw his erection from the confines of his pants. Taking Buffy’s hand he guided her to his hard length. The moment he felt her fingertips against his aching flesh he threw his head back, crying out in pleasure.

Buffy snatched her hand away, misinterpreting his reaction. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No,” Spike gasped, shaking his head. His eyes were tightly shut, his fingers clutching the edges of the seat. “Don’t stop. Please don’t stop.”

Relieved that she was giving him pleasure and not pain, Buffy returned to her previous position with gusto. She watched his face intently as she stroked him, eager to learn what would give him the most enjoyment.

Suddenly Spike grappled for a small tissue box sitting on the dash board. Using a couple of tissues to cover himself he came with a harsh cry, a violent shudder ripping through his body.

Afterward, he sat limply in the chair for several minutes, catching his breath. When he finally cracked open an eyelid he found Buffy watching him with wide eyes. A grin that would shame any cheshire cat plastered on her face. Spike reached out, drawing her against him. Sighing contentedly he kissed her hair, almost purring when she snuggled against him. “Thank you Buffy,” he whispered drowsily. “That was unbelievable.”

“Yeah it was,” Buffy agreed proudly.

Spike chuckled. “I don’t think I’ll be able to walk for a week.”

Giggling Buffy looked up at him. “Just so long as you can drive. You still have to take me home remember.”

“Mmmm,” Spike sighed again. “Just five more minutes.”

Smiling at his obvious and total satisfaction Buffy settled more comfortably on his chest and replayed the evening in her mind. Oh yeah, she decided cheerfully. This was the best date ever.
Ch 18 - The things you find by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Hey guys. Thanks for sticking with me. Each and every review has me bouncing in my seat. : )
Chapter Eighteen

Buffy opened her mouth to allow Spike to pop a hot buttery piece of popcorn between her lips. Chewing happily she watched the beautiful people on the screen face down the dire villain. It was big explosions, noisy gun fights and car chases galore. Then, just near the end of the movie the hero was struck down and lay, apparently dying, in the arms of his lady love.

Sniffing, Buffy furtively swiped at her eyes, hoping Spike wouldn’t notice her tears.

“Would you like a tissue?” Spike whispered.

Buffy groaned softly in embarrassment. Crying at the one sad moment in an otherwise enormously violent film. She was such a wuss! However, now that she knew she was found out she nodded. “Yes please. There’s some in my purse.”

Reaching down Spike nabbed Buffy’s purse and started to root around inside it, coming up with…a condom?!

Spike sat staring in shock at the small square plastic package in his hand. His mouth hanging open. Unable to speak he turned to look at Buffy.

Her eyes were wide as saucers as she stared back, seemingly as shocked at the contents of her purse as he was.

Without a word Spike quickly shoved the offending item back into her purse and pulled out a tissue. Handing it to her he turned back to the screen, suddenly engrossed in the film.

Buffy swallowed heavily, having no idea what to do next. Deciding to follow Spike’s lead she turned back to the movie, the tissue clutched tightly in one hand, her tears forgotten.

**********

Spike stared at his coffee as he stirred in a teaspoonful of sugar. The movie had finished about twenty minutes earlier and they’d come to their favourite coffee place afterward. They had barely spoken a word to each other but the silence was deafening. Full of unspoken questions and tumultuous emotions.

Spike sighed. The sugar was well and truly dissolved. Soon the coffee would go cold and he wouldn’t be able to drink it. They couldn’t sit here all night ignoring the elephant in the room. Looking up he blurted, “You have a condom in your purse.” Okay Spike, he thought to himself. Not quite as smooth as you’d hoped for. But it definitely got her attention.

Indeed, Buffy was staring at him in shock. Her mouth opening and closing as she tried to form some sort of response to his blunt announcement. Finally she settled on a simple, “Yes. I know.”

Becoming increasingly flustered Spike dropped his gaze back to his coffee cup. “The way you looked when I pulled it out. I thought maybe you didn’t know.”

Buffy cleared her throat awkwardly, sure she was blushing right down to the tips of her toes. “No, I did know. I guess I just forgot it was there.”

“Why do you have a condom in your purse?”

“Will you please stop saying that word so loudly?” Buffy hissed.

Balking, Spike glanced around the room to see several people looking at them with expressions ranging from disapproval to amusement. Nervously raking a hand through his hair he slumped down in his chair and lowered his voice to little more than a whisper.

“Sorry. It’s just that we’ve only been dating for a few weeks. I didn’t think you were ready to…” He gestured lamely with his hands before throwing them up in the air, “…you know.”

“I’m not.” Buffy shook her head emphatically. “Look, my Mom gave me a box of them after she saw us kissing that morning. She was afraid we’d go all hormonal or something and not be able to stop ourselves. So she made me promise to have one of those in my purse at all times. Just in case we needed it.”

Spike’s eyebrows climbed so high on his forehead she thought they’d disappear into his hair. “Your Mum did that?”

“Yeah.” Buffy rolled her eyes. “Right after giving me a lecture on how it would be better to wait.”

Seeing his coffee cup Spike picked it up and drained the contents in a few long swallows. Yep, cold. Yick!

“So you’re not ready then.” It was a statement more than a question but Buffy decided to answer him anyway.

The last few weeks had been wonderful. The best of her life. They’d had so much fun together. Their easy friendship had stretched to accommodate their new couple status without a hitch. Though they didn’t often find the opportunity to be more intimate, when they did it was amazing. Exhilarating. She craved him in a way she never would have believed was possible. They hadn’t, however, gone further than their initial make-out sessions. Hadn’t even gone as far as they had that second time by the lake. It was hot and it was heavy but it was still above clothes at all times.

There were times when she wanted more but…she always stopped herself. She was scared. Sex. It was such a big step. A big irreversible step. She had no qualms about giving herself to Spike emotionally. But the thought of giving herself to him so completely in a physical way. What with the being naked and the having him inside her. The thought made her tingle in all kinds of good ways, but it also scared the crap out of her.

“No,” she said quietly. “I’m not ready…yet.” She snuck a look up at him from beneath lowered lashes. “You are though.”

Spike smiled wickedly. “Honey I’m a guy. I was born ready.”

Buffy snorted. “That’s so stereotypical Spike. Not every guy on the planet can be like that.”

“Okay, okay.” Holding up his hands in surrender Spike took another glance around the room and leaned toward her. She knew then she would get a real response this time.

“You know it’s not just about the physical for me. It not about ‘getting laid’. But Buffy, you’re my girlfriend. I care about you. I want to be as close to you as I can get.” He looked intently into her eyes as he spoke and Buffy felt shivery all over. “When I touch you it’s like I’m connected to you on some primal level. It’s like I’m drowning in you. And I only want more. I only want you.”

Silence reigned as Spike gave her time to assimilate his words. She was breathing heavily, her eyes still locked on his. “I want that too,” she whispered. “It’s just so overwhelming.”

Spike smiled warmly. “I know. And it’s okay. There’s no rush.” He reached out to take her hand, rubbing the back of it comfortingly. “When we make love, I want it to be because we both want it. No regrets. I will wait for you Buffy.”

Expelling a relieved breath Buffy grinned at him. “Thank you.” Leaning out across the table her lips met his in a light, heartfelt kiss.

**********

Later that night Buffy stood in front of her mirror looking at herself. Spike’s words played in her head. I only want more. I only want you.

Pulling her night gown over her head she dropped it on the bed. Her eyes ran up and down her naked body. It was a nice body. With high full breasts, a narrow waist and well-toned limbs. She liked it, it was pretty.

She imagined standing like this in front of Spike. Letting him watch her as she was watching herself now. She saw her breathing pick up at the thought, causing her chest to rise and fall faster and deeper.

Reaching up she used one finger to circle the nipple of her left breast. It quickly hardened and she felt little sparks of pleasure radiating from the point of contact. Using both hands now she cupped her breasts and lifted them, kneading the soft mounds gently. In the mirror she saw the way her curves were enhanced by the movement. She imagined Spike’s larger hands in place of her own and whimpered at the heat that flowed through her body at the image her mind created.

Her legs felt wobbly and she stepped back to sit on the edge of her bed, still in view of the full-length mirror. Unable to look away she trailed one hand down her body, a smile curving her lips at the shivers it left in its wake. She bit one lip, hesitantly reaching between her legs to touch herself and saw her own eyes widen as her muscles clenched in response. Bolder now she explored the moist folds, coming back again and again to the bundle of nerves that caused her hips to rock and small sounds of pleasure to escape her parted lips.

Giving in to her own curiosity she slid one finger inside her heated body. It was a strange, pleasant feeling and she began to draw the finger out before pushing it back in. She could feel her internal muscles hugging her finger as it moved and she finally forgot about the mirror as she concentrated on the workings of her own body. She thought of Spike and how large he’d seemed in her hand when she’d stroked him. How could he possibly fit inside of her? Experimentally she added another finger to the first and felt her pleasure increase as she was stretched slightly on the inside. Her whole body was now moving and twisting to the rhythm of her fingers and she lay back on the bed, imagining Spike’s hard body above her. His body joined with hers as they moved together. She closed her eyes as small tremors began to flow through her body, starting at the place where her fingers still moved, more and more quickly, and rippling outward. Her breath caught in her throat and her back arched as her body went rigid with ecstasy. When the tremors began to ease Buffy collapsed limply on the bed, her fingers now simply stroking her slowly, leisurely. In her mind’s eye Spike was pulling her close, kissing her forehead tenderly and enveloping her in his warm embrace.

A smile appeared on Buffy’s face as she sighed in contentment. Perhaps giving herself to Spike wouldn’t be so scary after all.
Ch 19 - The big decision by Flibble
Chapter Nineteen

“I’ve decided to have sex with Spike.”

The tray of food Willow had been placing on the table dropped the last few inches with a loud clatter and she fell, mouth hanging open, into the chair in front of it. “Really?” she half-whispered.

Buffy grinned nervously, her eyes wide with excitement. “Really.”

Eager for more Willow leaned in conspiratorially. “When did you decide?”

“I’ve been thinking about it for a while now. Ever since that incident with my condom-filled purse a few weeks back.”

Still sitting with her mouth hanging open Willow absentmindedly filled it with a bite of bread roll and started to chew. “Wow.”

Buffy’s grin grew even wider. “Yeah.”

“How are my two favourite ladies?” Spike suddenly appeared at the table, lunch tray brimming, and noisily settled himself at the table.

“Hey there,” Buffy greeted him with a quick kiss.

“Mmm,” Spike murmured. “Tasty.” He waggled his eyebrows and Buffy giggled.

Turning to Willow he asked, “So Red, how’s that guitarist we’ve been hearing so much about?”

Willow blushed bright red, even as her eyes glazed over and her face lit up. “Oz,” she sighed.

Buffy sat quietly watching Spike, only half-listening to Willow gush about the band member she’d met the first night she’d gotten dressed up to go to The Bronze with Buffy. Spike on the other hand was listening attentively to everything Willow had to say, even as his hand reached out under the table to capture hers.

He’s such a great friend, she thought dreamily. And a great boyfriend, her mind added. Not to mention a pulse-racing, heart-pounding, spine-tingling, take-me-now-I’ll-die-without-you kisser, she reminded herself. The academic side piped up then with a confused, That sentence made no sense.

Suddenly shaking her head Buffy brought an abrupt halt to her internal conversation to find Spike and Willow looking at her oddly.

“You okay love?”

Buffy nodded, feeling silly. “Yeah, sorry. I’m fine.” Picking up a cold fry from her plate Buffy resolved to stop gawking at Spike long enough to concentrate on Willow. “Willow? You were saying?”

As they were walking to class after lunch a little later Willow returned to their earlier conversation. “So you’re sure you’re ready to do this?”

“Yes.” Buffy nodded firmly. “Besides every time I get near him I turn into some sort of dreamy-eyed lust bunny. You saw what happened in there. I’m having actual conversations with myself about how great he is. And all the Buffy’s in my head agree. He’s the one.”

Willow returned for a moment to her previous reaction of “wow” before snapping back to the conversation. “Have you told him?”

Buffy shook her head. “No. I want to surprise him. I’m going to rent us a room at the North Lakes Hotel for the night of the Sadie Hawkins Dance next week.”

“Ohhh. That’s a really nice hotel Buffy.”

“I know.” Buffy’s excitement grew as she told Willow her plan. “I’m going to go check-in in the afternoon so it won’t be awkward when we get there. I want everything to be just right.”

She took a deep calming breath before turning to Willow with a hopeful expression. “Is it okay if I tell Mom I’m staying at your place that night?”

Willow frowned, even as she nodded. “Sure. But…I thought your Mom was okay with it.”

Buffy made a face. “I wouldn’t go that far. She knows it’s inevitable sooner or later. But I’m pretty sure it’s still a matter of the later it is the happier she’ll be. Plus, it would just be too weird if she knew. Especially before the actual…,” Buffy gestured with her hand, “…event.”

“Oh yeah. Way weird.” Willow nodded enthusiastically as they continued down the hall.

**********

That afternoon Buffy strolled happily out of the school building on her way to the car park. She’d never been so happy in her life. The sun was shining, birds were chirping, Spike was talking to Dru. The symphonic orchestra that was playing in Buffy’s head came to a tuneless screeching halt. Spike was talking to Dru?

Buffy paused for a moment, before her brain kicked into gear again. Come on Buffy, she admonished. They’re just talking. Spike can talk to whomever he wants.

Picking up her pace again Buffy flicked back her hair, lifted her chin and walked confidently toward them. Dru obviously saw her out of the corner of her eye and, smiling secretly, she touched Spike lightly on the arm as she said goodbye and began to move away.

Lifting a hand to wave goodbye to her Spike turned his head and saw Buffy approaching. He smiled widely as he held his arms out to her. “There’s my girl. I was wondering where you were.”

“I had to ask Mr Johnson a couple of questions about a paper,” she replied. Even as she told herself she was being ridiculous she found herself checking his eyes for any signs of guilt. All she saw was his happiness to see her. Feeling reassured Buffy pulled out of his arms so they could get into the car.

“What did Dru want?” she asked, hoping she sounded nonchalant.

Spike kept his eyes on the road. “Nothing really. We were just talking.”

“Oh.” She was silent for a moment before feeling compelled to ask, “Do you and Dru…talk…often?”

Looking at her askance Spike replied, “Occasionally. I wouldn’t say often. She’s not a bad person Buffy. Angel’s a complete prat but Dru’s just…Dru.”

“Oh.”

Spike pulled into her driveway and parked the car before turning to face her. “Jealous pet?” he asked with a smirk.

Buffy snorted. “Of course not.”

“Good.” Spike smiled as he leaned toward her. “Because you’re my girl.”

Finally Buffy felt a smile curve her lips as she felt him nuzzling her neck. “I know,” she conceded. Turning her head she met his lips in a sweet kiss. “Are you coming in?”

Spike groaned. “I wish I could but I have to turn a paper in tomorrow and I’m not even close to finishing it.”

“You could study with me,” she coaxed. “I could help you.”

“As tempting as that sounds,” he replied, stroking her neck and along her collarbone, “whenever you wear that shirt I turn into a drooling idiot. If I walk into your bedroom this afternoon the only thing that’s going to get done is you.”

Teasing him, Buffy arched her back a little, thrusting out her chest. The low cut emerald green top stretched across her breasts in just the right way. “You mean this shirt?”

With an agonised groan Spike pulled her against him, crushing her lips with is own. He slipped his tongue into Buffy’s mouth the moment she parted her lips, knowing that if he didn’t stop soon he’d never be able to let her go. Tearing his mouth away he buried his face in her neck again, breathing her scent deeply. “Oh kitten, you are too too dangerous.”

Smiling happily Buffy pulled away from him slowly. “Well, I suppose I should let you go. You have that paper to write and all,” she drawled seductively.

Spike smirked at her sexy tone. “Vixen.”

Leaning in for one last kiss Buffy murmured, “Only for you.” Evading his questing hands she jumped from the car with a teasing laugh. “See you tomorrow Spike,” she called as she sashayed toward her front door. Looking back over her shoulder she winked saucily. “Sweet dreams.”
Ch 20 - The perfect moment that wasn't by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Do you trust me?
Chapter Twenty

Buffy smiled as she finished putting on her shoes and stood up to look at herself in the mirror. For the dance she’d chosen a halter neck dress that was fitted to the waist and then flared out into a full skirt that fell to just above the knee. It was blood red; Spike’s favourite colour. She’d finished the outfit with red strappy heels and small ruby drop earrings she’d borrowed from her mother. Her hair was piled on top of her head in ringlets, with a few tendrils falling artlessly in front of each ear. Her make-up was light, except for the deep red lipstick that matched her dress.

It had taken her most of the afternoon to get ready but, she decided turning this way and that, it was worth every second. Spike’s gonna totally lose it when he sees me, she thought happily.

She took a deep breath as she thought of the coming night. This was it. Tonight she was going to give Spike her virginity, and he would give her his. Suddenly Buffy found herself wishing she was old enough to drink. She wasn’t all that sure what a stiff drink was supposed to do for her but she was sure she needed one.

Laughing at her own thoughts Buffy rifled through the contents of her purse one last time. Money, check. Dance tickets, check. Hotel room key, check. Condom, check. Biting her bottom lip Buffy paused for a moment. Then she reached into her bedside table drawer and grabbed two more condoms and popped them into her purse. Then she grabbed two more. Well, she reasoned. I don’t know how difficult it is to actually get one on. What if we stuff it up the first time and need more.

Remembering the fiasco that was the lead-up to their first real kiss Buffy looked skyward, beseeching anyone that would listen, Please don’t let us stuff it up.

Hearing a knock on the door Buffy immediately tensed. Spike was here.

Swallowing heavily she slung her purse over her shoulder and started downstairs. Here goes nothing.

**********

As soon as they walked into the gaudily decorated gym Spike pulled Buffy onto the dance floor.

“Spike what are you doing?” Buffy asked, laughing. “Don’t you want to say hello to our friends first.”

Dismissing her suggestion with a shake of his head Spike wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her flush against him. “Later,” he told her. “Right now I have to be touching you and this is the only socially acceptable way for me to do that.”

His hands wandered over her restlessly. Trailing down her back, stroking her bare arms, tickling the sensitive skin on her neck. Meanwhile his eyes devoured her. Flitting continuously from her face down to where her body pressed against his and back again. A growl escaped his throat and Buffy shivered with excitement at the obviously tenuous hold he had over his desire.

“You look…incredible,” he finally managed.

Buffy smiled. “Thank you.”

“Did you wear this colour just for me?” he asked huskily.

Breathless at the lust that was radiating from him, Buffy could only nod.

Spike groaned softly and pulled her closer so he could bury his face in her neck, breathing deeply of her perfumed skin. Buffy could feel his arousal through their clothing and her heart skipped a beat. She found she couldn’t wait for the dance to be over so she could be alone with him.

A few songs later, when Spike had finally regained control of himself, they exited the dance floor. Buffy found Willow waiting for her at the edge of the room.

“Willow you look gorgeous!” Buffy exclaimed as she approached her friend.

“Thank you.” Willow did a little spin to show off her chocolate-coloured dress. “You look great yourself.”

“Thanks. Where’s Oz?”

Willow rolled her eyes. “Cordelia stole him away. Something about a problem with a speaker. He should be back soon.”

“Would you ladies care for a drink?” Spike asked. When both girls nodded, Spike excused himself to go to the refreshments table.

Immediately Willow turned to Buffy, practically bouncing with excitement. “So are you ready for tonight?”

“Ready? Yes. Wigging to the max? Also yes.”

“Does he know yet?”

Buffy shook her head, causing her ringlets to bounce around wildly. “No. I’m going to tell him when we’re on the dance floor. During a slow number.”

“Awww. That’s so romantic.”

“Yeah. Though with the amorous mood he’s in tonight I half expect him to drag me off the dance floor and out the door the moment I tell him. So don’t be surprised if we kind of…disappear.”

Willow giggled. “How very caveman,” she whispered just as Spike was returning with their drinks.

**********

Buffy took a deep breath to steady her nerves as she focused on Spike where he stood a few metres away chatting with Oz. Aerosmith’s I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing was playing on the sound system. The moment was perfect.

“This is it isn’t it?”

Buffy turned and saw Willow watching her with a gentle smile. Nodding, Buffy smiled back. “Wish me luck.”

“Good luck.” Overcome, Willow wrapped Buffy up in a big hug before teasing, “Go get ‘im girl.”

Looking back in Spike’s direction Buffy discovered he’d vanished. Walking up to Oz she asked if he knew where Spike went.

“Bathroom,” Oz replied. “He said he’d be back in a minute.”

“Damn,” Buffy muttered to herself. “Fine time to take a leak.”

Willow appeared at Oz’s side. “What happened?”

“He’s gone to the bathroom.”

“Oh,” Willow said with relief. “He’ll be back any moment then.”

They stood for a few minutes listening to the music. As the last strains of Aerosmith died away a dance number started. No! Buffy groaned inwardly. I can’t tell him I’m going to have sex with him with this playing in the background.

“Willow I’m going to go wait for him out in the hall. The whole perfect moment thing has fizzled and besides, I can’t take the suspense any longer.”

Willow bid her good night and reminded her to relax and enjoy herself before disappearing onto the dance floor with Oz.

Pushing through the swinging doors Buffy entered the hallway. She turned in the direction of the boy’s bathroom just in time to see Dru. And Spike. Kissing.

A loud gasp escaped Buffy and Spike’s head snapped in her direction. Quickly Spike pushed Dru away and headed in Buffy’s direction but she’d already turned to run down the hallway and out of the building.

Tears streamed down Buffy’s face as she stumbled blindly across the school grounds. The image of Dru’s arms twined around Spike’s neck, his hands on her waist as they kissed, was burned into her brain. A sob escaped her and she fought for breath.

“Buffy!”

She heard the pounding of Spike’s boots just seconds before he appeared in front of her. His hands gripping her upper arms.

“Buffy love,” he gasped, out of breath from chasing after her. “That wasn’t what it looked like.”

“Oh really,” Buffy argued. “’Cause you know it looked an awful lot like you were kissing Drusilla.”

“No Buffy,” he pleaded. “I wasn’t kissing her. She was kissing me.”

“Oh that’s rich. Let’s argue semantics shall we?”

“Love please just listen to me–”

“No!” Buffy cut him off, her heart breaking more with every word. “If you still had feelings for her then you shouldn’t have broken up with her. You shouldn’t have come to me. I promised myself I would not be a consolation prize.”

“Baby you’re not,” Spike exclaimed but Buffy wasn’t listening.

“To think I was going to have sex with you tonight.” The words were out of her mouth before she had a chance to call them back.

“You were?” Spike asked quietly.

“Yes Spike I was,” she confirmed, suddenly not caring that he knew. “God how could I have been so stupid.” Opening her purse she withdrew the hotel key and threw it at his chest. “Here,” she spat. “The room is bought and paid for. I hope you and Dru have a good time.”

With a determined stride she walked away.

“Buffy stop.” When she kept walking he ran after her. “Love we have to talk about this. At least let me take you home.”

“Stay the hell away from me Spike.” Ignoring his continued pleas she kept walking, keeping her eyes directly ahead, despite the tears that were blurring her vision. All she wanted right now was to go home, crawl under her covers and forget this night had even happened.
Ch 21 - The next morning by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Wow! I should throw a spanner in the works more often. I get more reviews that way. hehe. Thanks all for the great reviews people, and for not trying to clout me over the head for ruining Buffy's well-laid plans.
Chapter Twenty-One

Buffy slowly opened her eyes, cringing at the brightness of the sunlight streaming into her room. For a few moments her mind was merrily blank. Then the memories of the night before assaulted her and she snapped her eyes again in an attempt to shut them out. It didn’t work. I’m not going to cry again, she told herself firmly, before giving a defeated sigh. At least not yet.

She’d managed to sneak into the house the night before without waking her mother. Closing the door to her bedroom she’d done no more than shed the outfit she’d been so excited about before crawling into bed. There she’d buried her face in her pillow and cried herself to sleep.

Sitting up she tried to run her fingers through her hair, and groaned loudly when she found a tangled mess of knots. Looking at herself in the mirror she felt numb. The remnants of last night’s mascara trailed down her face. Her eyes were swollen from crying. Even traces of her red lipstick were smudged across one cheek. She’d never looked worse in her life. At least the outside matches the inside.

Knowing that her mother would have left for the gallery by now, where she’d be all day, Buffy headed for the bathroom. Getting into the shower she made the water as hot as she could stand it before stepping under the stream. Scrubbing until her skin hurt she washed away all traces of the previous night’s debacle. Despite her best efforts not to think, visions of Spike and Dru bombarded her mind and before long fresh tears mingled with the water from the shower. How could he do this to me? she wondered miserably. I thought he wanted me.

When the water began to run cold Buffy dragged herself out of the shower. She dressed in an old pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt and went downstairs to the kitchen.

She’d just poured a cup of coffee when Spike suddenly appeared in the kitchen. Gasping in fright Buffy jumped, spilling hot coffee all over her shirt. “Damn it.”

“Sorry love. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Holding the steaming shirt away from her skin Buffy demanded, “How did you get in here?”

“Your Mum let me in. Apparently she thinks you’re at Willow’s.”

“Yeah well I didn’t expect to be coming home last night. I had to tell her something.”

They stared at each other for a moment in awkward silence, both thinking of how she’d planned on spending the night.

“You knew I was here?” she asked, deliberately breaking the moment.

Spike shook his head. “I didn’t know. I figured you either had to come down the stairs or through the front door eventually. Your Mum said I could wait.”

“Well you waited for nothing,” she said curtly. “Now get out.” She brushed passed him dismissively, heading for her bedroom so she could change.

“I’m not going anywhere.” Spike followed close on her heels.

“Damn it Spike why are you even here?”

Grabbing her arm to halt her progress up the stairs he waited till she turned to look at him before answering. “I’m here to explain to you what happened last night,” he said confidently “When I’m done explaining I’ll graciously accept your apology.”

Buffy’s eyes widened in indignation. “My apology! For what?”

“For not trusting me.”

Angrily Buffy yanked her arm out of his grip. “I did trust you. Till I found you in a lip lock with Drusilla. I saw you with my own eyes Spike, there’s no denying it. Now leave me alone.” Spinning on her heel she fled up the stairs and into her room. She flung the door shut behind her, knowing he’d followed her again when she failed to hear a satisfying bang.

Refusing to turn around Buffy swiped angrily at the tears that had started yet again.

“I don’t deny what you saw,” Spike said quietly. “But I do deny what you believe it meant.”

Figuring the only way to get rid of him would be to hear him out Buffy turned to face him. “Fine. Go ahead, tell me,” she said angrily. “What did it mean?”

Realising he was finally getting his chance to speak Spike launched into his explanation immediately. “I was coming back from the bathroom when Dru came into the hallway. She told me that she wanted me back. She’d realised she didn’t love Angel and she wanted to give us another chance. I told her I’m in love with you.”

Buffy looked at him before she could stop herself. He’d never said that before. Neither had she. Even when they were just friends they’d openly said they loved each other but ‘in love’? She knew it wouldn’t have been long before they said it but still… Swallowing heavily Buffy murmured, “Go on.”

Sighing heavily Spike continued, “I don’t think Dru is used to being told no. She decided to try to change my mind. She wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me. I did not kiss her back. I put my hands on her waist to push her away, but by then it was already too late. You’d walked into the hallway, seen us, immediately thought the absolute worst of me and stormed out.”

Taken aback by the anger the crept into his voice as he finished, Buffy stared at him for several long moments. She wanted to believe him. But how could she? “It’s a very convenient story you have there Spike.”

“S’not a story pet,” he said firmly. “It’s the truth.”

“So you expect me to believe that it was a coincidence? That I just happened to walk in on you in that precise moment between her kissing you and you pushing her away.”

“Yes.”

Buffy threw her hands up at the idea. “That’s ludicrous Spike. Moments like that only happen in the movies, not in real life.”

“Twenty-four hours ago I would have agreed with you.” Spike crossed the room to confront her head on. “But that’s what happened. And you have to believe me,” he said with certainty.

“Why?”

“Because I would never lie to you.”

Buffy shook her head, her mind whirling in confusion. Her heart wanted desperately to believe every word he’d said but her head warned her against the likelihood of it being true. “I want to believe you,” she cried. “Of course I do. But Spike–”

“No! No Spike,” he shouted, grabbing her arms so she couldn’t turn away. “There is no Spike. He’s just a name I made up to go with a stupid leather coat. It’s over. I don’t need him anymore.” Suddenly letting her go he paced the room for a moment, his hands running through his hair in frustration, before he faced her again. “I’m still me Buffy. I’m still William.” Closing the distance between them he stood just a few inches away from her. “It’s a simple question really. Would I lie to you?”

Looking into his eyes Buffy suddenly saw beneath the bleach and the leather for the first time since the great transformation. There, behind the clear blue depths, was the man that had given Spike his fire. The man that fought for her and encouraged her and challenged her. Her best friend. Her William. Would William ever lie to her? She didn’t even have to think to know the answer. Shaking her head she whispered, “Never.”
Ch 22 - Happy at last by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Technically this is the final chapter folks. Though an epilogue will be posted in a few days (hopefully).
Chapter Twenty-two

Abruptly Buffy flung herself into his arms, hanging on for dear life. “Never William,” she babbled. “You would never lie to me.”

As relief flooded his body William felt all the strength leave his limbs and he dropped onto his knees, bringing Buffy with him so he wouldn’t have to let her go. Hugging her tightly he buried his face in her golden hair, finally giving in to the tears that had been burning the back of his eyes all night. “I was so scared Buffy. I thought I’d lost you.”

He felt her shaking in his arms and pulled away to look at her. She was sobbing, a river of tears streaming down her face. He clasped her face between his hands and she looked up at him with big green eyes. “When I thought you didn’t want me, it was like my whole world fell apart. I’m so in love with you I can’t think straight. The thought that you didn’t feel the same–”

“I do Buffy,” he assured her. “You’re everything I want. You’re all I want.”

A sweet smile appeared on Buffy’s face, her tears abating as she realised everything was going to be alright. She stroked gentle fingers along his cheek, taking a deep shaky breath when he turned to kiss the palm of her hand. “William,” she whispered reverently.

“Buffy,” he replied, holding her close. “I love you.”

She kissed him tenderly. “I love you too.”

Their gazes held for a long time as both marvelled at the depth of their feelings for each other. Then, tentatively, Buffy’s hand slid down William’s arm, taking his hand in hers. Still holding his gaze she rose from the floor, tugging him up, and guided him backward toward the bed. William’s eyes widened imperceptibly as he realised what she was doing and his breathing quickly became erratic. Buffy rose up on her tip toes to kiss him lightly on the lips. “Make love to me William,” she whispered.

Their lips joined once more and William drew Buffy against him, his hands sliding down to cup her bottom. She gasped as she felt his hardness pressing against her. Reaching up she delved under the material of his black t-shirt to caress his back and chest. She eased the shirt up his torso, breaking away from his lips for just long enough to remove it completely. Then she moved away from him suddenly and he almost whimpered at the loss of contact. “Buffy?” he gasped.

Buffy placed a finger on his lips to silence him. Nervously she reached for the hem of her shirt, quickly drawing it over her head before she could lose her nerve. William’s eyes remained firmly on her face, adoring her with his eyes, and she smiled. Gaining confidence now, she slowly reached behind her to unclasp her bra and then she eased it off her shoulders and down her arms. Standing topless in front of him she straightened her shoulders and lifted her chin proudly; her chest rising and falling rapidly with her breathing.

William walked toward her until his bare chest was almost touching hers. She was held captive by his blue eyes, shivering when she felt his fingers brush along her ribcage. He moved in to kiss her and his hands wandered up the sides of her torso before moving forward to gently cup her breasts.

Buffy’s head fell back and she gasped at the feel of his hands on her bare skin, arching to rub her hardened nipples against his palms. William took the opportunity to trail wet kisses down her neck and along her collar bone. When his lips closed over one taunt nipple Buffy cried out as bolts of heat shot from the aching tip straight to the throbbing place between her thighs.

Wanting more she stumbled back, tumbling them both onto the bed in a tangle of limbs. Buffy giggled as she scooted up the bed, sighing when William lowered his weight on top of her. His hand delved into her track pants, stroking firmly over her buttocks and down the outside of her leg before slowing down on the way back up her inner thigh. His fingertips brushed against her wet centre and she whimpered.

She was so hot, her skin so smooth, that William quickly became desperate for more. Sitting up he ran his hands over her stomach to the waistband of her pants. Buffy raised her hips so he could ease them down her legs; leaving her in nothing but her white lace panties. William’s breath hitched as he sat looking at her. Suddenly feeling shy Buffy raised her arms to cover herself but William stopped her.

“Don’t,” he whispered. “I just want to look at you.” His eyes slowly rose back to hers. “You’re so beautiful.”

His words brought tears of emotion to her eyes and Buffy sat up in front of him. “It’s not fair that you’re the only one who can look,” she teased.

Smiling wickedly William got up off the bed and made short work of discarding his jeans. When he was naked in front of her Buffy knelt on the bed, her eyes skittering over his lean body. Drinking him in. Finally, her gaze landed on the one part of him that was about to change her forever and she found herself staring at him in fascination. Hesitantly she reached out a hand to touch him and he hissed, his hips thrusting forward slightly. She looked up at him with wide, trusting eyes. “William, I want you.”

Suddenly ravenous William pushed her back down on the bed, covering her body with his own. Her panties were torn from her body and she shivered in excitement at his sudden aggression. Their mouths clashed in passionate abandon. Their hands skimmed each other in a desperate attempt to be everywhere at once. All hesitation and modesty were forgotten in the onslaught of want and desire.

“Buffy,” he gasped between kisses, barely able to tear himself away from her lips. “Condom love.”

Buffy flung an arm out, blindly groping for her drawer. Wrenching it open she fumbled inside for a moment, finally coming up with the small packet. William took it out of her hand and ripped off the corner with his teeth. They smiled at each other as he sheathed himself and settled himself between her legs. She felt him nudge her entrance and whimpered in need. Her legs wrapped eagerly around him and her hips curled in instinctive invitation.

“Ready?” William asked huskily.

“Yes.” Buffy’s voice was firm and steady, her writhing body echoing her affirmation.

Covering her mouth in a deep kiss William began to push forward. Buffy squeezed her eyes closed, hissing at the discomfort of being stretched as he gently rocked his way into her. And yet her hips continued to move against him. Her body craving more, wordlessly begging for his invasion. When she felt a sharp, intense pain she cried out.

William stopped moving instantly, his breath heavy with lust, his body rigid with control. He rained kisses on her face and neck, whispering words of love and adoration. After a few moments the pain began to fade and Buffy moved tentatively against him. Sensing her readiness William drew back a little before easing into her again. They both moaned at the feeling of being joined in the most intimate way possible; their bodies falling into a sensual rhythm.

Buffy finally opened her eyes to find William watching her face intently. Their gazes locked and they shared silent declarations of love and wonder. Their pace increased slowly until they both cried out in completion; their bodies quaking as waves of pleasure crashed over them.

For a long time afterward they lay side by side, staring into each other’s eyes, exchanging happy smiles and slow languid kisses. Buffy bit her bottom lip before breaking into giggles suddenly. “What is it?” William asked.

“I have no idea. I just feel so happy and I can’t stop myself.”

William laughed, wrapping his arm around her waist to hug her to him. “I know what you mean.”

“I’m glad that it happened like this.”

“Why?” William cocked his head curiously.

Buffy rolled onto her back, looking up at the ceiling. “I had all these plans and ideas for exactly how last night was going to be. How we would act and how I would feel and stuff. It was different in so many ways. I’m sure I would have made a mess of things last night by trying to stick to a plan.”

Propping himself up on an elbow he traced odd shapes on her stomach with his index finger. “How was it different?”

Buffy smiled. “It was more fun than I thought. In my head it was going to be all serious and tense.”

“I think I like the fun way better.” Suddenly he bent down and blew a wet raspberry on her cheek and Buffy yelped in surprise. Jumping up she attacked his ribs right where she knew he was ticklish, delighting in his high-pitched squeal. Grabbing her arms William wrestled her to the bed, covering her body with his. “Oh kitten, you are in so much trouble for that.”

“Oh no. What are you going to do to me?” she asked in mock fear.

“Well my dear,” William drawled as he snaked down her body, stopping to dip his tongue into her belly button. “I think I’m going to have to punish you. Torment you with unfulfilled lust until you beg me to make you come.”

Excited and freshly aroused by his words Buffy played along, adopting an indignant tone. “Oh you ghastly beast!”

He looked up her with an evil grin. “What can I tell you baby? I’ve always been bad.”

Buffy laughed, nodding in agreement. “I’m beginning to realise that. I guess it just took Spike to bring out the bad boy in you.”

William smirked. “I guess so.”

“William?” Buffy asked with a coaxing tone.

“Yes?” His expression showed he knew she was up to something, even if he didn’t know what yet.

“I know Spike is gone. Or at least is back to living inside my sweet William. But…” she leaned up to nip on his ear before asking cheekily, “will you still wear the coat for me?”

William gave a bark of laughter. “Are you kidding?” he asked incredulously. “That thing cost me a fortune. I’ll wear it anytime you like pet.”

With a happy cry Buffy threw her arms around him. She rolled them until she was on top, straddling his hips so she could take control for the next round. “I’ll love you forever,” she told him joyfully.

“That’s good,” William replied. “Cause I’ll love you for always. No matter what else changes, that’s the one thing that will always stay the same.”

- The End -

A/N: An epilogue will be posted asap.
Epilogue by Flibble
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much to everyone who read and reviewed this story. I’d like to say an extra special thank you to Suzee, DaniD and Dirktavian for their awesome reviewing efforts. You guys really kept me motivated. Also to Gypsy_jin for our apparent psychic connection. I’ll send you vibes next time I’m writing. Finally to brunettepet for coming in at the end there and making my day with her wonderful reviews. I had such a great time writing this one and I will miss it.

For those of you that have read the first eleven chapters of ‘Overcome’, that’s the story I plan to work on finishing next. So hopefully I’ll be updating that one in the next week or so.
Epilogue

“Robin wants to do the exclusive dating thing.”

Willow looked up from pouring sugar into her latte. “Faith that’s fantastic. What did you say?”

Looking oddly contemplative Faith chewed slowly on a piece of muffin. “I told him I’d think about it.”

“What’s there to think about?” Buffy asked. “I’ve never seen you so smitten with a guy. And it’s not like either of you have gone on a date with anyone else in months.”

Faith levelled a disgusted look at Buffy. “Did you just use the word smitten in connection with my name?”

“Oops. I don’t know what I was thinking,” Buffy said in mock dismay, throwing Willow a wink.

“If I say yes it will make it all official.” Faith shivered visibly. “Makes me all antsy.”

Buffy and Willow both smiled good-naturedly at their friend’s reluctance to commit to the man they both knew she was head over heels in love with.

“How do you guys do it?” Faith asked suddenly. “Willow you’ve been with Tara for three years now. And Buffy…you and William have been joined at the hip since you were in high school. How do you stay with one person all that time and not get bored?”

Buffy shrugged and said matter-of-factly, “Well I don’t know about Willow, but I’m having an affair.”

A spoon fell to the table with a loud clatter as Willow and Faith stared at her in shock, their mouths hanging open.

“Y-you’re what?” Willow stammered. “Buffy I thought you were happy with William.”

“I am,” Buffy confirmed with a dreamy expression. “William is the love of my life.”

The confused friends looked at each other, then back at Buffy. Incredulous, Faith asked, “So who are you having the affair with?”

Buffy grinned evilly. “Spike.”

Groans filled the air and Faith waded up her napkin, throwing it at Buffy. “That’s just William’s alter ego. That doesn’t count,” Faith said dismissively.

Buffy just sipped her iced mocha and graced them with her ‘special smile’. “Oh believe me, it counts.”

**********

Buffy swung the door shut behind her as she entered the apartment she’d shared with William since they graduated from college three years ago. Tossing her purse on a table she looked around. “Will, I’m home. Are you here?”

There was no answer and Buffy shrugged. “Guess not,” she murmured. Walking into the kitchen, she opened the fridge and leaned in to look for something to drink.

Without warning an arm snaked around her waist, dragging her back against a hard body. Yelping in surprise Buffy sprang upright just in time for the fridge door to swing shut in front of her. She was nudged forward and gasped as she was pinned between the cool white surface of the fridge and the heat of the body at her back. Her hair was drawn to the side, baring the slim column of her neck. She shivered as a wet tongue trailed upward from the nape to the delicate shell of her ear.

“Welcome home kitten.” The voice was deep and seductive, arrogant in its confidence, and she felt a familiar thrum of excitement vibrate throughout her body.

“Hello Spike.”

She was spun around and met clear blue eyes bright with lust. He plundered her mouth ravenously, exploring and caressing until she thought her legs would buckle. Wrapping her arms around his neck she held on to him for support. Reaching down he lifted her so she could wrap her legs around his waist, and turned to sit her on the edge of the kitchen table. Immediately he set to work removing her shirt as she stroked his already bare chest.

“Did you miss me?” he asked cheekily.

Smiling sweetly Buffy brushed her lips against his. “Any time you’re not touching me is like winter in my soul.”

Spike chuckled. “Love that’s terrible. You’ve spent too long hanging around the poet. He’s a bad influence on you.”

Buffy leaned forward to capture one flat male nipple between her teeth, loving the hiss she elicited. “He’s a very important author now you know. Won awards and everything.”

Reaching under her skirt Spike gripped the waistband of her panties in his hands and pulled. Bringing the shredded remains to his nose he inhaled deeply before casually dropping them on the floor. “So you keep telling me.”

Buffy couldn’t help but tease, “You do realise that because of you I single-handedly keep Victoria’s Secret in business.”

Spike just shrugged and waggled his eyebrows at her. Then, circling his hands around the back of her knees, he pulled her forward so her butt was sitting right on the edge of the table. He paused to lightly stroke her outer thighs while she undid his pants and pushed them off his hips.

Palming one bra-covered breast he bent slightly to nibble at her earlobe. “Do you know what I love about this table?” he asked casually.

Almost mindless with anticipation Buffy could only manage a vague questioning sound.

“It’s the perfect height for fucking you.” With that he thrust into her welcoming body with one hard stroke.

Buffy cried out, her body arching in pleasure as she called his name.

Pausing momentarily he began to ease in and out of her with slow torturous movements, his eyes boring into hers. “Tell me you love me,” he demanded.

Buffy writhed on the table in front of him, her legs hugging his hips tightly in an effort to make him go faster. “I love you. You know I do.”

He leaned toward her, forcing her backward until she was propped up on her elbows. Her nipples just grazed his chest and she twisted back and forth to rub against him.

“Tell me you want me.”

Buffy stared up into the eyes of the man she loved more than life itself. “I always want you.”

He kissed her then, his eyes almost manic as his hips began to piston in and out of her. One hand wrapped around her waist to scoop her up off the table and they both moaned as he sank deeper into her body.

“Come for me Buffy,” he whispered, his voice harsh with lust.

“Yes. Oh God yes,” Buffy screamed, her head thrown back as her body began to spasm around him triggering his own release. They both shuddered violently, seeking out each other’s lips for a soul-searing kiss. As the ecstasy of their completion began to ebb Spike collapsed on top of her, his head pillowed on her breasts.

Feeling completely sated, Buffy ran her fingers absently through his still-bleached locks. “Can you welcome me home like that everyday?”

Hearing a chuckle she opened her eyes and saw William looking down at her lovingly. “I could try but you might wear me out after a year or two.”

“Never happen,” she replied off-handedly. “I have complete confidence in your ability to be endlessly insatiable.”

Lifting her up into a sitting position he wrapped his arms around her. Dropping a quick kiss on her nose he pointed out, “That is why you married me isn’t it?”

Buffy looked thoughtful for a moment before nodding firmly. “Yes, absolutely. That’s the only reason.”

Snorting, William picked her up off the table and carried her out of the kitchen. “Alright then Mrs Giles. Let’s head for the shower and I’ll show you just how insatiable I can be.”

Buffy squealed with laughter as he gave her butt a light smack, entirely willing to let him convince her any way he wanted to.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=17715