Misconceptions by smg fan
Summary: *New Summary* An abused Buffy tries to get over the pain of losing her mother as she moves into a new town and makes new friends. With an abusive alcoholic , but yet still a powerful businessman, as a father she learns to trust people. Having that trust challenged by people she cares for. How will things work out in the end for Buffy Summers?
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Child Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: No Word count: 34872 Read: 33820 Published: 02/23/2006 Updated: 07/21/2007

1. Chapter 1 by smg fan

2. Chapter 2 by smg fan

3. Chapter 3 by smg fan

4. Chapter 4 by smg fan

5. Chapter 5 by smg fan

6. Chapter 6 by smg fan

7. Chapter 7 by smg fan

8. Chapter 8 by smg fan

9. Chapter 9 by smg fan

10. Chapter 10 by smg fan

11. Chapter 11 by smg fan

12. Chapter 12 by smg fan

13. Chapter 13 by smg fan

14. Chapter 14 by smg fan

15. Chapter 15 by smg fan

16. Chapter 16 by smg fan

17. Chapter 17 by smg fan

18. Chapter 18 by smg fan

19. Chapter 19 by smg fan

20. Chapter 20 by smg fan

21. Chapter 21 by smg fan

22. Chapter 22 by smg fan

23. Chapter 23 by smg fan

24. Chapter 24 by smg fan

25. Chapter 25 by smg fan

26. Chapter 26 by smg fan

27. Chapter 27 by smg fan

Chapter 1 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
Well, I think I've done pretty darn good so far with my main story 'wedding propositions' and i'm finishing it up soon so i decided to start this one. I'm actually going to making this as angsty as I can and there will be some Buffy other for a little but nothing R rated and it's a guy most people like so it shouldn't be to horrible to endure! Please review!
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters, they are all owned by Joss Whedon and the companies associated with but and/or Angel the series.






.:Misconceptions:.


Chapter 1

Buffy stood awkwardly with the small peace of paper held in her hand with the numbere ‘342’ scribbled neatly on it. Shifting her weight from one foot to the other she waited nervously in the office for her ‘guide’ to come so they could show her around for the day. Maybe things would get better here…in the middle of nowhere Sunnydale. She leaned back against the wall, backpack hanging limply at her side as she surveyed her surroundings.

Like most offices it was plane white with a main desk, long and narrow with an old, rather friendly looking elderly woman behind it. She remembered just yesterday how she had came here with her father and met her principle. She was able to tell that the man struck fear into the hearts of many people going to this school, that and a deep hatred.

She watched the two adults interact as she sat in the chair set beside her father, who was standing over her like the overbearing bastard he was. She could tell right when she heard how Snyder was speaking that the two men would hit it off immediately.

“I Hope you understand Mr. Summers, that I do not tolerate any misbehaving from my students. I was brought up in the old system, you do something wrong and you get punished, directly. However, since the school board…the bunch of morons they are, frown upon that,” he muttered. “I will take the first chance I have to expel your daughter as well as any other deserving brat, make no mistake of that.”

She watched silently as the small men grinned at her father with his beady little eyes looking at her then Hank. She wasn’t surprised when Hank shook Snyder’s hand and smiled at the man. “I’m glad we have an understanding. And I’ll have you know I can deal with Buffy in a way which assures that she won’t be misbehaving.” He put a firm hand on her shoulder making her bite her lip in an effort not to shake it off in disgust. She hated the way he could make her feel so damn small and insignificant with nothing more then a stare at times.


She glanced up at the clock, 8:55. She sighed and walked up to the secretary behind the desk who was currently looking at some papers. “Excuse me.” She waited patiently for the lady to turn her attention to her. She sighed and tried once more. “Excuse me.” She said louder, this time the woman looked up and Buffy nearly fell back from the shock of seeing her eyes through the thick glasses. “Yes dear?”

“The guide isn’t here.”

“Who died in here? Oh dear.”

Buffy continued staring at the woman for a minute. No wonder Snyder hired her, probably didn’t pay her every time he’s supposed to and she doesn’t even notice. “Never mind.” She said quietly and started making her way out the door when a short redheaded girl ran into her making them both fall.

She stood up picking up her bag and looked at the flustered red head as the bell rang for class to begin. “I’m so sorry! I’m here to…”

Buffy tucked her hair behind her ear. “Look, I’d love to stop and chat seeing as how I know absolutely no one here and all, but the bell just rang and I don’t really fancy making enemies with teachers on my first day. Besides there’s plenty of time for that.” She muttered the last part annoyed.

“Oh, you’re Buffy! Sorry about that! I know I’m really late but I’m you’re student guide, we have most of the same classes together and I have a note excusing us. See I had this extra lesson with Mr. Giles this morning and…” She stared at the blonde girl and blushed. “And you don’t care. Sorry, I tend to babble now and again. Follow me, we have history first thing, my name is Willow by the way.”

The blonde stopped and smiled. Well the flustered girl before her did seem very friendly, maybe befriending someone in this place wasn’t as hopeless a task as it seemed. “That would be great thanks. Nice to meet you Willow.”

***
“So that was class huh? Do the teachers actually know how to make anyone want to pay attention or do they just figure if no one talks it’s easier to get through the class?”

“Yup that about sums it up. They pretty much figure it’s a waste anyway because we don’t care either way and most of us are going to either end up living off our parents for the rest of our lives or dropping out of school.”

“Figures.”

“Why? Do you like school?”

Buffy sighed and smiled slightly, exasperated. She wasn’t about to tell her new acquaintance her life story and leave her to run scared. “Let’s just say that sadly it’s one of the only things I have going for me right now.”

“I’m sure that’s not true.” Willow gave a shy nervous smile at Buffy’s raised eyebrows. The blonde wasn’t naïve she knew it was a new girl sympathy type thing.

“Well, I’m new, and I’m not about to join any clubs, and I don’t know anyone but you, not that it’s a bad thing because you’re great.” She ticked off each thing on her fingers looking at her new friend while they walked to the courtyard.

“Well, you might not want to be seen with me to often. Not exactly a way to popularity and respect. I think people will let you off the hook since it’s first day and you’re new, so basically I’m not the person to be seen with. I’m a science and math geek and I used to be in the chess club.”

Buffy smiled. She liked this girl but she was in dire need of self-esteem. “Trust me when I say the words ‘popular’ and ‘respect’ don’t go together. Nobody has respect for people that make them feel like shit.” She looked at the red face of her companion and laughed. “Sorry, that make them feel insignificant.”

Willow smiled quickly changing the subject. “Look there’s Xander, you’ll like him.” The two girls made their way to the table closer to the middle of the courtyard where Buffy saw a brown haired guy waving frantically at…them? She checked behind her, there weren’t exactly to many people behind them. Willow giggled at her. “He’s waving at us, that’s Xander.”

“So who’s the new girl?”

Willow frowned and smacked him on the shoulder. “Xander!”

Buffy laughed. “It’s ok Will. The new girl is named Buffy.”

The guy smiled and stuck out his hand. “Hi. Looks like the duo is now a trio.”

“Aww isn’t that cute? The loser duo is trying to initiate a poor unsuspecting new girl!” She turned her attention to Buffy and held out her well manicured hand. “I’m Cordelia Chase.”

Buffy looked at the offered hand taking a bite out of the apple she had just gotten out. “So you’re the popular one’s huh?”

Cordelia looked around her clique and grinned smugly. “Yeah, guess it’s just that easy to tell.”

“Yeah it is, I mean the air of ‘I’m a bitch bow down before me’ is really prominent. By the way, where’d you get your outfit? I think I saw the same one at ‘sluts ‘R’ us’, on sale too.” She gave the brunette a bright smile.

Cordelia just stared at the girl like she had been slapped in the face. Her look quickly changed to a malicious glare. “Well, at least now I know I didn’t make a mistake by letting you join my group.” With a flip of her hair she walked off.

She took another bite out of her apple and turned to look at her two new friends. “What?” They were looking at her with awe and shock.

“You just gave up any chance you had of being popular in this school.” Willow gushed.

“Telling off Cordy by calling her a bitch and a slut is one thing but accusing her of going to a store and getting something on sale is another thing! My new hero!”

She laughed at Xander. She could actually get used to this.
Chapter 2 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews in the first chapter guy! ^.^ I'm sorry that there's no introduction to Spike and the other guy in this chapter but I promise it will come in he next one. Meanwhile I added some more cordy bashing. ^.^ and there are hints at the second guy :P if you like most of the people on Angel you should like him.


Chapter 2


Buffy walked through the hall with her books in the one strapped bag that was slung over her shoulder casually. A cold chill went down her spine as she sensed someone approach her from behind.

“Well Miss. Summers, cause any trouble on your first day?” She closed her eyes and muttered something under her breath turning around to face Snyder. “I heard you were late for your first class, already rebelling I see. Might not want to make a habit of this, next thing you know you’ll be hanging out with them.”

Buffy looked over to a group of guys and a girl by a few lockers with blood shot eyes that looked very disoriented. Probably druggies, great, all she needed was Snyder thinking she was going to become a drug addict.

“And I hope you realize that I’d have to call you’re father if that happened, I’m sure a man of his stature wouldn’t appreciate that.” He said with a sneer before walking off.

What the hell was wrong with that guy? Its like he’s just waiting around every corner for her trying to make her day go wrong, that guy seriously had it out for her. Well, one more thing him and her father had in common. Sighing she increased her pace walking down the hall when she noticed the time. “Great, late yet again.” Turning the corner she bumped into someone hard and was sent to the floor. ‘Just Great…’

“Look I’m really sorry. I’m in a rush and I wasn’t watching where I was going.” Not looking at the person she quickly grabbed all of her books that had scattered all over the floor and shoved them in her bag running down the hall to her next class all the while hoping it was the right one.

She walked through the door just as the bell rang and grabbed a random empty seat in the front row next to the window. As it turned out the one class she actually enjoyed was one that she didn’t have with either Willow or Xander. Looks like she couldn’t even pretend not to pay attention in this class.

She looked out the window at the bright afternoon and waited for the teacher to get on with his lesson as the rest of the class got back into routine and ignored everything they said. That’s what high school was all about right?

“All right class. For all of you who weren’t here last year or never bothered to be in class I’m Mr. Giles. I will be teaching your English literature teacher for the year.” He heard a few groans and smiled, yup same school, same students. “Yes, and as always I expect you all to pay attention or at least finish your work.” He looked at all the sceptical faces. “That or you fail.”

Buffy looked at the man at the front of the room. He had greyish black hair, glasses and a refined British accent, there was something about him that just demanded respect.

“Since it’s the first day we shall start by going over the classic written by Shakespeare ‘Romeo and Juliet’. Most of us have gone over this before, who would like to explain what it is about?” Giles looked around the classroom expectantly before taking off his glasses and cleaning them.

Buffy sighed. This was definitely the guy who Willow talked about having the extra lessons with. She figured she could cut him a brake. “Romeo and Juliet was the tragic romance between a boy and a girl.” There, she got it started.

Giles smiled and put on his glasses. “Ah! Mrs…”

“Buffy Summers, new student from L.A.” She leaned back in her seat trying to look nonchalant as all attention in the room, female and male, was turned to her.

“Well Buffy, would you like to elaborate on your answer?”

She should have known that one was coming. And the way the question sounded when he asked was ingenious really, there wasn’t really a way she couldn’t not answer that now without looking stupid or just strange. She sighed for what seemed like the hundredth time that day.

“Well, it’s pretty basic. Boy meets girl, girl meets boy, and they fell in love. They didn’t know until later however, that their families were in a…feud to put it lightly. But their love for each other was so strong that they didn’t care. Their love was one so consuming, and was of such passion that they died for one another.” She had to control herself and make sure she didn’t turn into a raving lunatic in front of the class about something she was passionate about. She wrote a little but she hadn’t shown it to anyone but her mom.

She closed her eyes as the memory stung her like it had all happened just yesterday. That wasn’t the case though, her mother was gone now.

“Loser.” She heard Cordelia say before a few other snickers.

Buffy glared at the girl. “Oh please, lets hear your opinion Cordelia. Or were you to busy reading up on what place is best to go to if you want to get a boob job in the Cosmo.”

“I actually have a social life, but it looks to me like if one died because of the other there’s not much loving going on.” Cordelia spat back.

Buffy just rolled her eyes. “They didn’t die because of the other, they died to be with each other. Romeo thought his beloved was dead so he killed himself, she in turn did the same thing because she hadn’t actually been dead. Both with the hope…”

“…of being united in the afterlife.” She finished with the voice of someone else. Somehow with an English accent.

Maybe not everyone in this town was dull, brainless, and opinion less.

She heard a girl she knew as Harmony, one of Cordelia’s crowd speak. “But who was his beloved if he was with Juliet?”

She rolled her eyes and banged her head on her desk.

***
Buffy blew the hair from her face grabbing her bag. This class had actually been interesting for the most part. And she hadn’t felt like the new kid since the beginning. And it was a definite plus that she had been able to embarrass Cordelia a few more times. She knew she had made an easy enemy that way but if no one else would stand up to Ms. Holier-then-thou then she sure as hell would.

She heard her name called right before she left through the door. “Mrs. Summers, I’d like to speak with you.”

“Yeah?”

“I’m happy if not surprised, that you seemed to be very active and passionate in this class. I hope you continue to participate like this.”

“There’s actually someone I think you’d get along with pretty well…”

“Uh, thanks Giles, I can call you that right?" Without his answer she continued. "But I like to meet people and decide if I like them on my own. Besides, I have willow and Xander to show me around.” This guy seemed really nice but she wasn’t about to let an adult, a teacher no less help her meet new people.

Giles took off his glasses and smiled awkwardly, starting the polish them. “Yes, well I’m glad you’ve met Willow. I’ll let you get to your next class now.”

Turning around she left, making her way out the front doors of the school and to her car. She had given Willow her cell phone number and the redhead was supposed to be calling tonight. Turning on the music she paused when she was an ice rink, she would definitely have to go there sometime.

***
“So there’s this small club in town, ‘The Bronze’. I mean, it’s nothing like the clubs in L.A but pretty much everyone from out school goes there and you could, you know, meet new people. So me and Xander wanted to know if you wanted to come.”

Buffy grinned. Tonight would definitely be interesting. “Sure, why not.”
Chapter 3 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
Nope, not this time.


Chapter 3

Smiling she went to her closet, any place away from this house and it’s occupant would be a thousand times better in her view. She stood in front of the open closet brimming with happiness, she hadn’t been able to just do something as meaningless like this in a while. To just stand in front of a closet and think ‘what should I wear?!’. She used to do it all the time too, going out every night was like a necessity before… She frowned. Before life intervened and ripped it all harshly away.

She shook herself and grabbed an outfit out of the closet. It was no time to be thinking of those things, tonight was just for her and her new friends. Her friends. God that was such a new concept, the definition of friends pure and simple was people who listened to you and cared. She slipped on her clothes and grabbed some strappy black heels that stood out from the rest.

Sure she had friends back in L.A but that was different. She had actually been popular then and friends when your popular aren’t really your friends. They were people that do your bidding wishing ever second that something would happen to you that would make them just a little closer to the shallow top. They hadn’t listened to her at all.

Turning off the lights she quietly made her way down the stairs of their enormous house hoping to god that she wouldn’t be caught. She really wanted to go to the Bronze tonight. She paused when the stairs made a soft creak. ‘Shit’ When she didn’t hear anything more she continued until she was at the front door. Smiling she brought her and to the handle and opened the door.

“Where the hell do you think you’re going?”

Her hands stilled and her eyes closed. Opening her eyes again she closed the door and turned around with a fake smile on her face. “Willow, my new friend, invited me to go to the Bronze.” She watched his reaction carefully, for a long time he just stood there watching her with a hard gaze, a glass of whiskey or some other alcohol held at his side.

“I will not have you going around and acting like a slut the first night you started school. How do you think that would look when I’m the most successful man in this town.”

She frowned. “I’m not a slut. It’s just with Willow!” She decided that keeping Xander out of it would be a smart thing to do in this particular situation.

He walked up to her with his hand raised, some alcohol splashing out the side and onto the carpet. “Don’t you dare raise your voice to me!”

Wincing at the proximity of his hand she just nodded. He had never actually hit her, but every day she was in the same house as him the belief that he wouldn’t got just a little weaker, at time like this, a lot weaker.

“Now get up to your room and stay out of my way for the rest of the night, Caren’s coming over.”

She walked past him and up to her room quickly shutting the door and taking a deep breath. Dam he made her sick, he called her a slut yet he was the equivalent of a male whore. No respect at all for her mother, her deceased mother…

With determination in her eyes she looked around her room until she spotted the window. Walking up to it she slowly slid it open and grinned triumphantly at the tree standing just outside. Grabbing her pillows she stuffed them underneath the blankets in the shape of her body and left the window open slightly so she could get back in later. Climbing out she dusted herself off as she hit the ground.

***
She found out later that finding the bronze, weather it was the only club in town or not, wasn’t that easy with no directions and no car wasn’t that easy. She hadn’t been able to take her car because she was afraid that Hank would have heard and found out she wasn’t in her room.

But finally she was there. Walking through the doors she looked around the smoky interior. For a small town club it wasn’t to bad. There was a nice sized stage by the dance floor, there was a bar and to her surprise even a second level to walk around on and not have to talk over the music.

“Buffy! Over here!” She saw Willow waving at her from a table near the stage and grinned.

“Hey Wills, this place looks pretty cool.”

“Yeah. But what took you so long?”

“My dad kind of didn’t let me come. So I took option B and snuck out, plus I couldn’t use my car and you didn’t give directions. Besides I walked all the way here in heels, give a girl some credit.” Willow looked at her sheepishly.

“Won’t your dad know you’re M.I.A?” Xander asked taking a gulp from his coke.

“Nah. He’ll probably be drunk and passed out by the time I get home. And if he decides to see if I’m in my room then I stuffed some pillows under my covers, he won’t come closer then the door frame anyways.” Willow looked at her wide-eyed. She didn’t think her dad was like that at all.

“I share your pain Buffster. My dads a drunk too.” Xander said indifferently.

“Don’t worry about it. So, is there anyone in here I should know, or know about?” Buffy asked quirking an eyebrow as she sat down.

“Well, you’ve had the displeasure of meeting Cordy and her band of morons over there.” Xander pointed to Cordelia sitting in a table in a far Corner closest to the stage with comfy looking chairs. “That’s their table. Never sit there if you value your life.”

Buffy laughed. “I like it just fine, not like she could actually do me any damage to begin with though.”

“And there are the Jocks, Riley, Gunn, Owen, and Graham. There’s still the guys in the band, but they’re not all on yet though. Their name is ‘Dingoes Ate My Baby’. You’ll know them when Willow starts drooling over the bass player Oz.”

Buffy laughed as Willow turned three shades of red and punched him in the shoulder. “Hey! I do not drool…”

“So you’re not denying you like him?” Buffy smiled as the redhead opened and closed her mouth.

“Well…”

“Point and case.”

Xander laughed before standing up with his genuine Xander smile. “Would you lovely ladies like to dance?”

Willow and Buffy looked at each other. “Dance, yes. With you?…” Xander pouted before they both laughed and got up following him to the dance floor.
Chapter 4 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
I'm really sorry about the lack of updates but school has been hectic and it continues to be so there will be minimal updates but i'll try to as much as i can. Also sorry about the last update, my account was on the fritz and it said i hadn't posted that chapter so i ended up posting it twice. It's all fixed now and here's the real update.


Chapter 4

Buffy giggled at Xander’s antics, or rather his version of dancing. Moving to the rhythm she looked over at Willow and shook her head. The redhead was barely moving as she looked wildly around trying to see if anyone had seen her. Taking her friends hand she spun her around and laughed before the song changed and the small group walked back to their table panting.

“So, Buffy, why’d you move here? Not that we’re not happy or anything it’s just that…or, damn. Why don’t I let Willow take over.” Xander looked over at his best friend who was currently spacing out.

“Willow?” He sing-songed.

Both teens turned to look at the spot where the redheads gaze was directed. Standing there was a short (at least among his friends) guy with a stoic expression and electric blue hair.

Xander laughed. “Told you she drooled.”

“So that’s Oz?” Buffy smiled looking him over, he was cute. Not her type, but cute. “So have you talked to him yet?”

Willow looked horrified. “No!” She turned and gave Xander and annoyed look. “And I don’t drool!”

“Whoa! Backing off now!” Xander put his hands up in mock surrender.

“So how come you haven’t talked to him?” Buffy frowned looking at Willow, she just couldn’t figure out why the girl was so recluse. If she was the small redhead she definitely wouldn’t be, she was smart, pretty, and had a great personality.

“Cuz’ I w..wouldn’t be able t..to talk to him. I was g..going to once b..b..but I kept babbling.” She looked down as her cheeks turned slightly red.

“I have an idea.” She grinned and got up from her seat.

Willow’s eyes widened. “What are you going to do?!”

“Just trust me.” With that she started to walk in the guys direction ignoring Willows calls for her to come back.

***

“So, any of you spot a decent looking bird to shack up with?” Spike chuckled at their looks of puzzlement. These bloody Americans never surprised him since he got her, and they didn’t understand any British terms he used.

“Will you ever talk of women in a less vulgar way?” Unfortunately for him Wesley did.

“I agree with him.” The usually quiet Oz stated.

“Chill out Wes, he’s just joking around. Besides, there must be some girl you like.” Angel O’Connor slapped the other male on the back in the usual fashion.

“Wes?”

“Hey Wes?” He waved his hand in front of his face.

Spike turned to look at what his cousin was staring at, or more specifically who.

On the dance floor moving like there was no tomorrow was a hot little blonde. Her hair swaying as she moved to the rhythm with her redheaded friend and someone he new as Xander Harris. The school clown. No wonder Wes was looking at her like that, she was absolutely gorgeous.

“So, anyone want to take bets on Wesley having the guts to ask her to dance? I’m open for wagers here.” Spike smirked as his cousin scowled at him.

“She’s coming over her.” Oz said calmly. “Could be your chance to ask her if you really want to, don’t listen to these guys.”

Buffy stopped and looked around the group for a few seconds before starting. “Hi, I’m Buffy.” She introduced herself quietly, damn, she could think of great plans but when it came to actually going through with them she sucked. “You’re Oz right?”

Oz just stared curiously at her and nodded.

“Ok look, I know you have no clue who I am, and you don’t have any reason to care, but what I’m going to say I’m completely serious about. My friend over there..” She pointed to Willow and watched smiling as Oz (and the rest of the guys) looked over at Willow (who was by now beet red). “..really likes you. She’s a really amazing girl and she has the best personality. Sweet, smart, funny and she’s also shy so against her asking me not to, I came over here and told you this. Please just give hr a chance ok? Her name is…”

“Willow Rosenberg.” Oz said with an uncharacteristic smile spreading across his face.

Buffy grinned. “Yeah. I’m going to go now before she gets Xander to drag me away.” With a smile and a short wave she walked back to her table with a bright smile.

Willow sat there horrified, her face still red. “What did you say?!”

“Everything. Trust me Willow, the worst the can happen is he won’t do anything about what I’ve told him. The best scenario is he asks you out.”

Willow banged her head against the table. “Oh my goddess. Now he probably thinks I’m a dork.”

“No he doesn’t. He actually knew your name before I told him. And he was smiling, I take that as a good sign and you should too.”

“I guess.”

***
“So who exactly is Buffy?” Angel asked staring at the retreating form of the blonde.

“Buffy Summers. New girl, she’s in the same Lit class as me and ‘Sir drools a lot’ here.” Spike said smirking at his not so subtle cousin.

Wesley snapped out of his trance and frowned indignantly. Spike may be family but he was really starting to annoy him. Not only did he have to live in the same house and endure his atrocious taste in music but now he was mocked for…well he wasn’t quite sure yet, but he knew it wasn’t good.

“ I think I’m going to ask Willow out.”

Wes mentally thanked his usually quiet friend for the change of subject. “Really? The redhead?” Angel asked curiously.

Spike grinned. “She seems your type mate. Go for it, while you’re at it maybe you can set her friend up with Wes here.”

There was a pause after Wesley took of his glasses and wiped them on his jacked.

“Better yet, let me show you how it’s done.” With that Wesley watched his cousin disappear into the crowd before he could utter any protests.
___________________________________
A/N:Hope this chapter was ok, and if you haven't figured it out yet, the guy is Wesley. Also I might mention that 'Wedding Propositions' won't be updated for a while but it will be continued eventualy.
Chapter 5 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
Well, all I have to say is thank you guys so much for the wonderful reviews I've gotten! So here's another chapter for you! Hope you like it, please continue to leave me the great reviews!


Chapter 5

Spike made his way through the crowd towards the petite blonde that had just walked away from his group a few minutes ago. Usually he would have cared less if this was one of the worst things he could do to Wesley, but he kind of did feel bad for what he was about to do. He could tell Wes liked this girl but hell, she was a hott little number, not only hot but beautiful. A quality he found rare in the girls around here.

If his cousin didn’t have the guts to do anything about his new fondness for the girl he wasn’t going to let the oppertunity pass him by. Walking up to her he grinned as her back was turned to him. Leaning close to his ear he took his chance. “ What’s a pretty thing like you doing without an escort?”

Buffy frowned a little before turning around. This guy was hott, very, very, hott. But there was something about him that was holding her back and telling her to stay back. She smiled at him remembering that he was probably one of Oz’s friends. “ I’m here with my friend, why, are you offering?”

So far so good. “ If that’s ok with you of course.”

“ Actually, sorry but it’s not. I don’t need an escort and I’m sure there’s many other girls in here that would gladly fall for that. Unfortunately for you I’m not one of them.” Giving him one last smile she walked to where Willow was waving at her from te dance floor.

Spike just stared in shock as she walked to her redheaded friend. He had been rejected, she had said no. He finally understood what people meant when they said there was a first time for everything. But damn, he wasn’t expecting that curve ball, not at all. Making his way back to te group he continued to think over what had just happened.

“ So what did Spike Connors want?” Willow asked staring at her friend curiously.

Buffy shrugged looking back in the direction he was with his group to see him staring at her. “ Same thing as most guys. To dance, probably grope a little, same old. But they always go about it all wrong, you know what I mean?”

Willow grinned. “ You mean come up to you with a smug grin and some cheesy pick up line and no expectations of rejection?”

“ Yes! Exactly!”

Willow shook her head and grinned. “ Well, here comes another one.”

***

Spike came back the small group of his friends with an expression of disbelief.

“ So what happened man?” Angel asked not getting by the look on his face that it hadn’t gone well at all.

“ Ryan, are you that dense?” Spike snapped. “ She actually said no. No.” He said the last word quieter as if he himself had just figured out the concept of the word.

They all (but Oz of course) stared at him with mouths agape. This was practicaly unheard of, for Spike Connors to be rejected by a girl.

“ I got to talk to this girl. She’s a complete contradiction to her own kind and she doesn’t even know it.” With that Angel walked towards her just as his friend had.

***
Buffy sighed as another guy, this time brunette, but from the same crowd as Spike walked up to her completely ignoring Willow. “ Hi, I’m Angel Ryan. Would you like to dance?”

Buffy had the urge to smack him out of the way and continue to talk with her friend as they danced. Well, at least there was no cheesy come on line this time. “ I just have to say this before I answer no to your first question. Coming up to me and completely ignoring my friend like I wasn’t even talking to her before isn’t a good way to make me like you. So now, to answer your first question, no I wouldn’t like to dance with you.” With that she grabbed her friends hand and dragged her back to their table.

“ Wow, Buffy your good at telling guys off.” Willow giggled at the frustrated look of pure frustration on her face.

“ Well, I might have even said yes to the dance but to come up and completely ignore you and then ask me to dance is even worse then using a cheesy come on line.”

“ Don’t worry, I’m used to it by now. Remember Cordelia? Well it’s either that or being ignored. So yeah, I usually stick to the being ignored and I’ll shut up now because I’m babbling.” The red head ducked her head shyly.

Buffy frowned. “ Willow that’s my point. You shouldn’t be used to it! You can’t just let people treat you like that because of some selfish reasons they have. You know what, I’m going to give you a make-over tomorrow. You’re never going to be letting people ignore you like that again. And you’ll feel great about how you look too.”

“ Buffy, you really don’t have to. I never really liked standing out much either so it really is ok.” Willow smiled reassuringly at her friend.

“ Well what’s the fun in being a teenager, a person, if you don’t stand out from everyone else? I won’t take no for an answer.”

Willow giggled. “ Fine, but I ave a feeling he’ll have to.”

Confused Buffy turned around to see yet another guy coming towards her. She whimpered turning back to her friend. “ Do these guys have some kind of bet going or something? Jeez.”

***
Wesley stood and listened as Angel, much like Spike, came back with glazed eyes and a confused expression. “ She said no to me too.”

“ See! Something’s got to be wrong with her. Maybe she’s...” He paused, no she didn’t seem like it.

“ Lesbian?” Angel finished for him, a look of hope on his face the it was the answer to what had just happened.

Wesley finally spoke up at this comment. There was no way... “ That’s so stereotypical of you to assume that just because a girl rejected you she’s lesbian.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “ Ok then, why don’t you go ask her to dance then?”

Wesley stood a little straighter. Maybe, maybe this time he’d get lucky. “ Fine.”

“ Just be yourself Wes.” Oz incouraged.

***

Buffy pateintly waited for him to get there and was surprised when he did. “ H’lo Willow.”

Willow just nodded at him as an awknolegment. “ I’m going to go get Xander.” She lied going off in te direction of the bar. Xander had actually had to go home earlier because he didn’t have the house key on him and this was about the hour his dad was out drinking while his mother was no where in he vicinity of the house, he had to sneak in before the shouting matches began.

He stared at her for a second before realising she was expecting him to say something. ‘Be yourself.’ He heard Oz’s voice. “ Did you know, that about 80% of the male population uses various unreliable and annoying pick up line on girls?”
Chapter 6 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
Here's another update. Like always, thanks for the wonderful reviews!
Chapter 6

“ Did you know, that about 80% of the male population uses various unreliable and annoying pick up line on girls?”


She laughed. This guy was different from the others. She could tell, somehow. “ And that’s not one of them?”

Seeing the brilliant smile on her face he had the courage to continue. “ No, it’s simply a fact.”

“ Is that so? How’d you find out?”

His eyes dropped to the ground for a second in shyness. “ I kind of guessed. Well, I’ve seen it happen so many time that I kind of figure it, is all.”

“ So then it’s not a fact?” She said tilting her head to the side a little to get a better look of his face. He was cute, and he seemed sweet.

“ Well, yes and no. Yes in the sense of, well, think of it this way. How many guys have come up to you in your life, or how many guys have you seen come up to girls and use pick up lines like ‘you must be tired because you’ve been running through my mind all night’. And No, in the sense that I kind of made it up on the spot, from facts though.”

She couldn’t help but giggle. She liked this guy, he didn’t come up to her and try any of the macho crap on her or ‘I’m irresistible so you can’t possibly refuse’, he was genuinely nervous at first. She found it endearing. “ So you’re basically telling me that, you came up to me and made up a lie instead of a pick up line which apparently is used quite often by the male populous?”

“ Well, uh, yes?”

“ Would you like to dance?” Wesley was shocked. This was all wrong, it was backwards! She was supposed to refuse and let him be on his merry way, not talk to him about something so quizzical and then ask him to dance.

“ Of course.”

He watched another of her brilliant smiles spread across her face. Then he knew he would take his chances and do what it takes to have this girl.

Buffy watched as his face seemed to turn to panic as they came onto the dance floor and a fast song came on. “ What’s wrong?”

“ I, don’t exactly know how to dance to this music. I mean, I don’t usually dance at all so I’m kind of new to it.”

She laughed . “ Here.” She took his hands and placed them on her hips moving herself closer to him.

Wesley nearly groaned at her erratic movements. They weren’t nearly as, well, sluty (for lack of better term) as some of the other girls in the club were dancing, but he was still a man and she was in very close proximity to him.

“ So, you guys planning on invading Sunnydale or something?”

Wesley looked at her puzzled.

“ So far I’ve met three British guys. You, Spike, and Giles. Seems like everywhere I turn your accents follow me.” He just smiled at her, how could he tell her at this moment that the ‘British invasion’ was related to each other?

“ You know, not that I mind. I love the whole accent you have going.” And then she blushed and he couldn’t help but pull her a little closer.

***
Willow watched her friend from the balcony. She was glad that she met a decent guy, Wesley was really nice, she had known him since they was small. They had never been to close but they were friendly to each other and she thought they looked kind of cute together.

She looked over to where Oz and his group were last standing. Oz wasn’t there, but something else caught her eye. Spike Connors was staring intently at her friend dancing with Wesley. Something told her things would get very interesting.

She yelped and turned around quickly when someone tapped her on the shoulder. She was about to hit them and run when she noticed it was Oz when and amused expression on his face. “ You scared me!”

“ Sorry. Just came up here to talk.”

Remembering what happened earlier Willow blushed a deep red and looked away. OZ nearly smiled as he moved to stand beside her. “ Something tells me that there’s going to be some trouble later between those three.”

Willow looked at him surprised. “ You noticed that too huh?”

“ Yeah, well I know Spike and Wes. And Let’s just say Spike doesn’t give up easily.”

“ Oh.”

“ Look, I was wondering if you uhm, would like to go out this Saturday.”

Willow Grinned and tried to cover her new blush. “ I’d love to.”

***
Spike watched from his spot in the club how instead of rejecting him and sending him on his way Buffy smiled and then talked to him. After that was the really strange part, she accepted his offer to dance and then laughed at something and put his hands on her hips moving against him. Something finally gave though, when a slow song came on and he watched as his cousin laid his cheek on top of her head and pulled her closer. He would have Buffy Summers. It wasn’t that he wanted to hurt his cousin, because he really didn’t they were family. But he… there was something about her he couldn’t quite put a finger on. He just knew that he had to have her.

He tried to look nonchalant as his cousin came back with glazed eyes and a twitch of a smile on his lips. He looked very different from when Angel had come back in the same state, minus the small smile.

“ So what happened? How the hell did you get her to agree to dance with you?” angel asked frowning.

“ I didn’t, she asked me.”

Spike couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “ What did you do?”

Wesley just stared at his cousin. “ I stated a fact.”
______________________________
A/N: Thanks for the great reviews guys! I might as well say that it will be Buffy and Wesley for a while before the spuffy gets to make an appearance. Before that there will be lots of angst . I'd also like to say that I'm very happy that you guys that were regular readers of 'WP' are ok with it being on hiatus for the time being!
Chapter 7 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
Nope, not this time. Well, except for saying thanks for the wonderful reviews!


Chapter 7

Buffy grinned as she waited for someone to answer the phone, her cell pressed up to her ear eagerly. Pick up, pick up, pick…

“ Hello?”

Buffy smiled as Willow’s mom picked up the phone on the third ring. “ Hello Mrs. Rosenberg. This is Buffy Summers, may I speak with Willow please?” She swallowed down the fit of giggles that was making its way to her mouth as Willow’s dumfounded mom spoke again.

“ Uhm, ah, yes. Just a moment please. She’ll be hear in a minute dear.”

She was obviously expecting one of Willow’s friends to be rude and not grammatically correct while asking to talk to her daughter on the phone. She had talked to Willow at school and found out that her parents were quite and refined people that didn’t like a lot of commotion or ‘teens in this day and age’, as it was said. So she opted for making a good impression for future reference.

“ Hi, Buffy! You won’t believe what happened last night while you were dancing with Wesley. Oh, you got to spill on the by the way.”

“ Oz asked you out?”

Willow sat there on her bed a little flustered. “ Yeah, how’d you know?”

Buffy grinned and laughed a little. “ Call it intuition, a lucky guess, common sense, whatever you like. My night wasn’t so bad either. Wesley asked me out for Friday!”

“ Oh my gosh, where are you guys going?”

“ Not sure yet. He wouldn’t say.” She twirled a stray piece of blonde hair around her finger contemplating her current conversation. She was sitting on her bed of silky soft blue sheets talking to Willow about guys and giggling like a thirteen year old girl. Now that she thought of it she sounded kind of…normal. Normal. She liked that.

“ So how’d you get home last night?”

She bit her lip. “ Good for now. The tree outside my window, lucky for me, is as good for climbing as it is for using as an escape. Besides, my dad was no where in site and probably with the new floozy.”

“ Aww, you don’t know that for sure Buff.” Willow frowned, she hadn’t really bothered to ask about her parents before. Her father sounded like a jerk and she hadn’t even mentioned her mom before. She decided that she would, just not yet, she didn’t want to push her luck.

Buffy rolled her eyes at her friends naivety, she knew her father well enough to know that there had been a woman over last night. She was willing to bet on it. “ There was a glass with lipstick on the counter this morning, and the shade is something I would never wear.” Not to mention how she didn’t leave her room unless she knew her father wasn’t there…

“ Oh.”

“ I got to go Willow, it’s about time I leave for school. Thank god I have a car. Bye Wills.” With that she quickly snapped her cell phone shut and made her way downstairs hoping to higher powers that she didn’t bump into her father or the woman he was with last night.

***
She stared at the radio clock in her convertible. Shit. She had successfully managed not to see anyone in the morning at her house, however her thoughts on not being late because of having a car were dead wrong. It was already five minutes passed the final bell and she was only pulling into the student parking.

“ That’s just great,” She frowned taking her purse and backpack from the passenger seat and slinging them over her shoulder as she burst through the front doors. “ all I need now is Snyder to bust me on being late.”

Immersed in her thoughts she didn’t see the guy around the corner until she ploughed into him, managing to spill all her things onto the ground. “ Shit!” God she was saying that a lot more recently.

Bending down she quickly started to pick up her things, not even looking up when the guy started to help her. Unfortunately she wasn’t having the best of luck this morning.

“ Ms. Summers. I see you’re already getting into trouble, second day I believe.”

Buffy bit the inside of her cheek hard trying not to give the short man a piece of her mind. “ Look, I’m sorry I’m late but…”

“ It was my fault.”

“ Ah, Mr. Connors. Should have known you were involved, trouble seems to follow you wherever you go.”

Buffy turned to look at the guy who’s name seemed very familiar. Her eyes went a little wide when she saw it was the guy who she had turned down last night. Well, the first one at least. She had the urge to laugh at the irony. Well, things are just getting better and better this morning.

Spike watched a look of realisation spread over her features as she remembered who he was. He kept his patented smirk on his face. Well, this could be a time to score some points in his favour. “ Yeah, well you know me, just bad all around. I happened to run into Buffy on my way in from having a smoke. She spilled all her things and I was obviously no help, thus she’s late.”

Snyder eyed both of them suspiciously before standing up a little straighter, bringing his lack of height further to their attention. “ Fine. But you better get to class right now.” He started to walk away and Buffy let out a sigh. Turning to Spike she looked at him nervously. “ Thanks.” She said quietly.

“ Oh, and Mr. Connors?” They turned once more to stare at Snyder. “ I’ll see you in detention for the rest of the week. You too Ms. Summers.”

As soon as he was out of sight Buffy bent down again and retrieved the rest of her belongings. “ God I hate that guy. He has it out for me, I swear him and my dad are long lost cousins or something.” She shivered at the mere thought of her and Snyder being related.

“ Nah, he’s just… Yeah he has it out for you. Haven’t seen him give out that harsh of a detention to a newbie in a while.” Spike grinned at the look on her face as she turned to him tucking her hair behind her ear.

“ Gee, thanks.” She looked away for a minute. “ Look, you didn’t have to do that.”

“ Why? Because you rejected me last night?” He chuckled trying to keep any hint of bitterness out of his voice. “ I wanted to, it’s fine.”

She nodded a little uncomfortable at her situation. “ Well I guess I should probably get to class.”

“ Probably. Nice running into you again pet.”

“ Yeah.” She started to walk away before she caught the last bit.

“ See you in detention.”

Great…
Chapter 8 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
Just a quick note, sorry if the chapters have been a little short, I guess it's just the way i like to write. This one is longer though so I hope you like!


Chapter 8


Buffy sat down beside Willow at the same table they did the day before taking a bit of her apple. “ So, how was your morning?” She grinned.

Willow blushed knowing she meant ‘so, did you see Oz this morning’. “ Yeah, it was pretty good.”

Xander looked between the two girls confused. “ Am I missing something here?”

Buffy just grinned. “ Me and Willow both have dates this weekend.”

Xander stared at them a little shocked, that and slightly disappointed that Buffy was basically taken now. “ With who?”

“ Well, Willow with Oz and me with Wesley.”

“ That geek?” With that he was kicked sharply under the table by Willow and sent into a chorus of ‘ouch’, ‘damn’, and ‘ow’. “ Sorry Buff. I didn’t mean to be rude. It’s just, I didn’t really imagine you with a guy like Wesley.” With that he slid farther down his seat to avoid another kick.

“ It’s ok Xand.”

Xander flinched again rubbing his sore leg. “ So are we going to the bronze again tonight?”

“ Nope. I’m taking Willow out somewhere.” She stopped remembering this morning. “ Which by the way, is going to be a little late. I kind of got a detention after school for the rest of the week. Not only that but its with… You know what, never mind. Just wait by my car and I should be there around 10 past the bell if I can manage to sneak out.”

Buffy turned to look up at Wesley as she felt someone tap her on the shoulder. “ Hi Wesley.” She gave him a bright smile and stood up hugging him. Sure it felt kind of bold given that she only basically met him last night but she felt comfortable around him. Like she could do things that she wouldn’t usually do and not care.

He couldn’t help smiling a little brighter and hugged her closer. “ Hi. Was just wondering what you were up to today. Maybe we could grab a coffee at the expresso pump after school.”

Buffy frowned looking away for a second. “ I’m sorry Wes. I got detention for the rest of the week after school and then I’m taking Willow out to get some stuff.” God she felt crappy for refusing.

He rubbed the back of his neck. “ It’s all right. I get it.” He gave her a weak smile and was about to leave when she grabbed his hand.

“ Hey now, that wasn’t some weak girly way of blowing you off. I really did make plans with Willow. And Snyder has it out for me ever since we first met.”

“ Oh.”

“ Maybe tomorrow though.”

It was Wesley’s turn to frown. “ Can’t, da’ has this whole father son thing planned and well, I really don’t want to let the old man down. He’s been kind of set on it lately and I’ve been putting it off.”

She smiled again. “ It’s ok, we’ll figure it out,” She kissed him on the cheek, “bye Wes.”

***
Buffy sighed as the last bell rang. Detention was one thing she didn’t cope with well, now that Snyder was the one dealing it? She groaned. Gathering her things as slow as possibly she made her way towards the library where she had been told by Xander (a multiple detention goer) that detention would be held. Opening the doors she heard them make a swish before closing behind her. Once inside she stopped and looked around.

As expected there were rows and rows of old shelves with books neatly aligned in rows, undoubtedly arranged in genre, alphabetical order, and years. Those however, were on a bit of a higher level, on the one she was standing on was a main desk to the right and tables to the left and middle. To her expectation it wasn’t that bad actually, she didn’t read as much as she had once (due to her popular status that she now refused to gain) but the whole place felt warm and inviting and the smell of…well she didn’t know what it was but it soothed her and hey, it wasn’t a musty book smell so it was a definite plus.

“ Hello?” She was surprised by the small echo the reverberated of the walls and back to her.

Grinning she walked a few more steps in looking around to make sure she couldn’t see anyone before walking up the small stairs by the railing and trying again. “ Hello.” She giggled at the echo the was heard.

“ Didn’t anyone ever teach you to be quiet in a library?” She nearly screamed and was about to fall over the railing when two strong arms caught her.

She glared at the person when she realized it was Spike. “ Didn’t anyone ever teach you that it’s rude to sneak up on someone like that?”

“ Touché. ”

And then it hit her just how close they were. His arm was lightly grazing hers as he had her caged in from both sides and she could feel his warm breath on her chin and tickling her throat. “ You can let me go now.”

She watched as a smirk spread across his face. It made her just want to slap it off his face, what right did he have cornering her in a library and nearly making her fall over a railing and then smirk at her like he knew something she didn’t, in that taunting way.

Buffy watched suspiciously as he leaned close to her ear. “ I think I like this position just fine thanks.”

Resisting the urge to close her eyes and just let the silky smooth tones of his voice wash over her she pushed him away and crossed her arms in a defensive posture. “ Well I don’t.”

“ Am I interrupting something, please do continue, I’ll just put my things down and listen to what seems to be such a fascinating conversation.”

Buffy spun around to see Mr. Giles standing by the desk looking quite surprised when she turned around. “ Oh, Buffy. Wasn’t exactly expecting on seeing you here on the second day of school.”

She looked away, eyes downcast and cheeks burning with embarrassment as her favourite teacher seemed disappointed in her for being here. Of all places. Sure it was bad when parents yelled at you for doing something wrong but it was far worse when they gave you the ‘I’m I’m so disappointed in you’ look and speech. And since her pearents, or the one she had, weren't much to do that now he was close enough. “ Sorry. Mr. Giles.”

“ Wasn’ her fault. She’s in here cuz’ of me.”

Buffy turned to stare at him. This was the second time that he had taken the blame for what was, at least a 50, 50 situation. And it was also the second time she was completely confused on why he did it, was he just being nice, or was it an ulterior motive. She’d go with the latter for now.

“ Ah yes, I see we’re back into old habits William.” Giles took of his glasses and wiped them down with a cloth. Buffy turned to look at him and mouthed ‘William’ curiously to which she could have sworn he blushed a little. “ Very well then, I’m sorry my nephew has dragged you along with him Buffy.” Buffy looked at him with shock. “ Nephew?”

He just shrugged and jumped over the railing, his black duster billowing around him as he did so. Well, things were definitely getting interesting. Now that she thought about it, Willow had mentioned that Giles had family going to the school, she just never mentioned it was someone she had met.

“ Lucky for you Snyder has given me detention duty for most of this week. However I won’t tolerate any misbehaving.” Buffy noticed how he was staring directly at Spike with a pointed look clearly written across his face.

“ Fine, got it.” He grumbled slouching in his chair.

Buffy tried to hold back her giggles as she watched him look sullen like a little child that had just been cought with his hand in the cookie jar and sent to have time out in the corner. As soon as Giles had made his way into the back office the image of him sitting in a corner pouting proved to be too much and she started laughing, bringing her hand to her mouth to try and quickly cover.

Spike looked annoyed, never the less the corners of his mouth twitched into and almost smile as he watched her laugh, her cheeks turning a delightful shade of pink as she did so. “ Oi! What’s so funny over there Goldilocks?”

She grinned. “ Well, let’s see. I just found out Giles is your uncle when you two seem to exist in two completely separate universes, and he just scolded you as if you were a little toddler that had done something wrong. The image was just…” She trailed of not wanting to mention the image she had gotten of him sitting in the corner. Laughing again she slumped against a bookshelf and started to calm down.

There was a comfortable silence before she spoke again. “ Is your name really William?”

He frowned at her, his defences going up. “ Yeah, what’s it to you?”

She gave him a gently smile. “ I like it. Gives me a sense of the person behind ‘Spike’.”

She looked at her watch. 3:50 seemed to mock her and her eyes went wide. Giles had gotten there after half the time had already passed, given that it didn’t feel like it and now Willow was waiting by her car for nearly twenty minutes. “ Damn it.” Quickly getting up she once again scrambled to get her things before dashing for the library door. “ Bye Giles, detention is over and I got to go.”

Spike watched her go with a wry grin on his face. She was definitely one of a kind.

Giles exited the library with a book in one hand. “ Where’s Buffy, what did she say?”

“ Detention is over.” He paused. “ For now.” He whispered the last part more to himself grinning.
Chapter 9 by smg fan


chapter 9


Buffy’s chest heaved as she ran at high speed to the parking lot where she saw Willow leaning up against the car with a bored expression on her face. She had no doubts in her mind that the red head had been there for quite a while now. “ Will’s I’m so sorry. Detention seemed to drag on and Spike Connors was there and then I lost track time, you’re not mad are you?”

Willow Shook her head. “ No, just a little bored.” She smiled, then a pause. “ Did you say Spike was there?”

Buffy shrugged. “ Well, yeah. I was late this morning and I bumped into him, of all people, he actually took the blame. Of course that didn’t stop Snyder for giving us detention for the rest of the week.”

Willow just nodded her head accepting the answer. It wasn’t exactly unusual for Spike to be in detention. She just hoped that things wouldn’t turn bad because of it. “ So where are you taking me?”

Buffy grinned. Remembering her new mission she opened the driver side door of her car and hopped in. This day was really starting to shape up. “ The nearest and largest mall there is in Sunnyhell.”

Willow looked a little nervous as she got in the car. “ Are you sure a bout this? I mean, it’s just me, Willow. It’s not like there’s much to change.”

The blonde just shook her head and giggled. “ And in that, my misguided friend, you are wrong.” At Willows confused look she continued. “ Well, do you want to look all hot and sexy for Oz?” Willow blushed and looked away.

“ That’s what I thought.”

***

Dragging her through the mall Buffy spotted something that made her grin. “ Come on Wills.” Grabbing her hand she pulled her friend over to a photo booth. “ We’ve got to have the before pictures.” Inserting the dollar she sat down beside her and smiled wide laughing slightly at the nervous look on the red head’s face that had remained there since their ride to the mall.

“ First things first. Clothes.” Making sure her friend was always beside her she spotted a familiar store.

Willow watched as the sign above her head glowed in a bright pink color. Walking in behind her friend she gaped at the size of the store and everything in it. There were designer brands, accessories, perfumes, clothes, make up, everything under the rainbow that a girl could possibly wish for. Well, anything material that it.

Buffy immediately went over to a display of multi colored clothes and smiled wide fingering it. Shopping had been a chore for a while now and she couldn’t remember the last time she enjoyed it. But now she remembered how her and her mom had come to places like this on the odd occasion. Sorting through a slew of skirts, jeans, and tops she handed Willow a pile and pointed her in the direction of the nearest change room. “ My work has begun.”

Buffy sat in the chair waiting for the red head to come out of the change room when she heard her timid voice. “ I’m not coming out.”

She rolled her eyes. She had expected something like this to happen. “ Come on Wills, I’m sure you look great!”

“ Nope, not working, still not coming out.”

“ Ok, I tried nicely. Either you come out here or I go in there and get you weather you’re fully dressed or not, for the whole store to see you.” That had done it.

Willow stepped out of the dressing room avoiding all eye contact. Buffy watched in approval at the choice of outfit. She was wearing a simple red backless halter top that tied up around her neck and back. It was cut at and angle near the hem of her waistline so it showed a hint of stomach. It didn’t show cleavage but it was very curvy. It was coupled with a short denim skirt that ended just above her knees, it had a small slit in the side and a pink sash like belt.

“ Willow you look gorgeous.”

“ Yes, I must say you do clean up nicely.”

The two girls turned to see Cordelia and Harmony standing there. Cordelia had her hands firmly on her hips and was raising her eyebrows at the redhead.

“ What do you want Cordy?” Buffy glared at the evil brunette.

Cordelia just laughed. “ My, such hostility. Can’t we all just shop in peace?”

“ Cut the crap Cordy.”

The brunet frowned for a minute before continuing. “ Fine, I just wanted to invite you to a party I’m having. The Bronze is booked all night and only access is with invites.” With that she handed the two girls invitations and started to walk away.

“ And by the way. I’ve seen how you’ve been eyeing my blondie bear. So just stay away from him.” Harmony scowled and her crossing her arms.

“ Blondie bear?” Who the hell would she be calling blondie bear that she also knew.

“ My Spikey.”

She couldn’t help it. Bursting out into laughter she didn’t see her leave as Cordelia called her in an annoyed tone. “ Come on Harm. God, can’t you ever just hurry up?”

Wiping away the tears from her eyes and shrugging off the strange looks she was getting she pulled herself together and straightened her clothes. The raised eyebrows and look on her friends face sobered her immediately. “ What?”

“ So, you’ve been eyeing Spike?”

“ Wha... you’re kidding right? No! Of course not! Remember Wesley, tall, sweet, and British?”

“ All I’m saying is that I wouldn’t be surprised.” Willow gave her a knowing look.

“ Well, I’m only interested in one British guy, and that’s Wesley.” She stopped and looked at her invite. Why would Cordelia Chase invite her and Willow to stuff like this?

“ What do you think her motives are?” Buffy asked frowning as she continued to think.

“ Huh?”

“ I mean think about it. Since when does someone like Queen C invite commoners like us to a party? Especially since one of us, me, is someone who insulted her and the other, you, has been her target.”

Willow paused. “ I don’t know. Maybe she’s trying to be nicer?”

Buffy looked at her skeptically. “ Come on, let’s go get you some accessories before you actually believe what you just said.”

***
An hour later Buffy walked over to the red head who was currently engrossed in looking through the perfume display. “ Come on Wills, lets go eat and then get your hair done.”

“ Ok. I just want you to smell this first.” Over the two hours that the two girls had been there, her shy friend had started to actually enjoy shopping. Buffy found that she trusted the girl like she hadn’t been able to trust anyone in a while, it scared her but at the same time it was refreshing.

“ Fine.” She took the small bottle of perfume that Willow handed her and sprayed some of its contents sniffing the air. As soon as she did she froze.

“ I really like it, I was thinking of getting it and...” She took in the look on her friends face. “...Buffy?”

She dropped the small square glass bottle and ran before she even got to see it shatter onto the ground into millions of tiny pieces.
Chapter 10 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
I like how long this chapter is and what it involves but i would really like feed back!


Chapter 10

Running until she was out of breath she absentmindedly walked into a little coffee shop and sat down in a corner booth. The perfume, the smell... It was a sweet flowery mix that made you want to smile, except she didn’t want to smile, she wanted to cry. All the pain seemed to rush back and it felt so raw, like it had just happened yesterday.

Buffy took the sample lipstick from the back where no one had used it and put some on admiring the color. Pushing her glasses farther atop her head she walked to the counter with her purchases and smiled at the vulture of a woman behind it.

“ Is there anything else I can get you?” The brunette woman plastered a sickeningly sweet smile on her face and took the credit card that was handed to her.

“ No thanks, I’ve got everything.” Grabbing her things she made her way out of the mall and waited at the corner frowning.

Eagerly grabbing her cell phone as it rang she snapped it open and spoke. “ Hi mom. Didn’t you say you would be here at 6:00? It’s already half past! You know I can’t miss this date with Brian!” She whined into the phone. Sometimes her mom just didn’t get it. This was her first date with the most popular and hotest guy in the school and she refused to be late for it.

“ I’m sorry sweetie. I got home a little late from the gallery. I’m on my way right now though and I should be there in a few minutes.”

“ Ok, fine.” Sighing she looked once again at her watch. 6:37 PM. “ Bye.”

“ Love you.” Hearing those last words from her mom she closed her phone and sat down on the curb, head on knees and frowning. She would really be mad at her mom if she missed this date.


Tears welled up in her eyes and she didn’t notice as her friend sat down across from her. “ Hey Buffy. What just happened?” She spoke in a soft quiet voice, afraid that the blonde might run off again.

Buffy looked up, her expression blank. “ How long was I here?”

Willow glanced at her watch. “ Well, since the time you ran off? About half and hour.”

She looked away from Willow and at her hands that remained stiffly on the table since she had gotten there. “ The perfume. It, uh, it was the same one my mom wore. I got it for her for one of her birthdays, when I was around 16. She’d worn it ever since, then one night...” She blinked back more tears. “ She passed away a few months back. I guess it still hurts to be reminded.”

“ Oh goddess, I’m so sorry. If I had known...” Willow moved to sit beside her and wrapped a protective arm around the other girl.

“ It’s ok, you didn’t, it’s not like I go around and tell everybody. ‘ Hey, my mom died, feel sorry for me’.” She said in a sarcastic voice. “ I’m not like that, I’m not an attention seeker and I don’t want people to feel sorry for me or give me their pity looks.” She frowned. If she had wanted that she would have just told the class in the introduction she had had to make on her first day. But she couldn’t deal with the looks, just one look made her feel like she was choking, like the news was given to her all over again.

“ I’m sorry, I didn’t know you felt so strongly about it. Ok, that sounded stupid considering the subject.” Willow rolled her eyes at herself. “I just mean, we don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to.”

“ Yeah, thanks.” She ran her fingers through her blonde locks and smiled again. “ So how about we go to the hair salon now?”

Willow looked at the wicked gleam in her friends eye and went slightly pale. “ Oh goddess, what are you planning on doing to my hair?”

***
“ Oh my god Willow! You look great! Totally sexy, Oz will love you!” Buffy gushed as her friend walked towards her. “ And those highlights are amazing, they bring out your eyes.”

Willow blushed. “ You think? I mean I like it, I really like it, but I’m scared about what they’ll think.”

Buffy frowned. “ They?”

“ Yeah, they. You know, our friends, the popular people, the normal people, the world?!”

She giggled. That was really Willows problem, she cared to much about what other people thought, if she didn’t watch out it would ruin her completely. “ Wils you look amazing, anyone who doesn’t think so is just blind and stupid. I’d have thrown in the deaf but that really doesn’t have anything to do with it.” She grinned as her friend cracked a smile.

“ That’s the girl I like to see. You really shouldn’t care so much what other people think of you, it only matters what you think of yourself. I know, not the most original thing to say but it’s the truth.” Buffy almost toppled over as she found a lot of Willow and her red hair in her arms enveloping her in a tight hug.

“ You’re an amazing friend, you know that Summers?” Buffy smiled as her friend used her last name to sound more serious.

“ Thanks, now I’ll drop you off. But you have to promise me that you’ll wear something we bought tomorrow to school.”

Willow crossed her arms. “ You mean something you got, with your money?”

Buffy smirked. “ Nope, something daddy dearest got for you.”

***

Buffy turned of the car engine as she parked in the driveway to the Summers home. Ignoring the chills that ran down her spine as she looked at the house. Getting out of the car and walking to the door she was a little unnerved when she found it was unlocked. Great the last thing she needed tonight was a confrontation with dear old daddy.

Walking in she looked around, silence. “ Hank? You there?” She was surprised when her voice came out as a whisper, probably because she didn’t want the said person to answer. Or to actually be there. She walked a few more steps and looked into the living room, there was a half empty, open bottle of scotch on the counter to the mini bar, and a glass of sitting beside it that appeared to have been used. ’Great…’

Not seeing anyone she walked upstairs and into her room, letting out a little sight she sat down on her bed and put her head in her hands for a few minutes thinking of the days events. For once things had actually seemed normal.

“ You’re home.” Hank spoke, his voice containing a hint of disappointment and bitterness.

‘ Thought to soon.’

“ Yeah, I went shopping with Willow after school.”

He looked her over as she got up from the bed standing. She could tell that he was at least a little drunk since his eyes were glassy. Of course for Hank a ‘little’ drunk was at least a bottle or so of a strong alcohol. “ You didn’t call to tell me.”

Now she was confused and even slightly angry. “ Since when do you care what I do?” She quickly looked away as she realized what had just flew out of her mouth. She was sure he wouldn’t be pleased with that little comment.

He walked up to her and grabbed her by the arm forcing her to look at him as his grip only tightened its hold. “ What did you say?! Don’t ever talk to me like that again you ungrateful little bitch!”

Furious now she wrenched her arm away. How did he just get off grabbing her like that? He had no right to know what she did after school, he had no right telling her what to do, and he sure as hell had no right grabbing her like that and calling her any of the little names he always did.

“ What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” She could practically see red right about now. “ Since when do you give a shit what I do? As long as I’m not around and you’re not hearing about me then everything’s just fine for you, so how come you care all of a sudden?” She narrowed her eyes. “ Just because Joyce isn’t around anymore doesn’t mean you can start yelling at me like you did at her!”

And then the blow came. Laying on her stomach and elbows on the floor she closed her eyes as the pain in her cheek became searing hot. She felt the tiniest bit of blood in her mouth and spat it out onto the carpet.

“ I said it once and I won’t say it again. Don’t you ever talk to me like that again.”

She listened as he walked out of the room and slammed the door. Tucking back the hair that was surrounding her face as she lay on the floor she slowly got up and found a scrunchie on her dresser, using it she tied up her hair. Moving silently to the bathroom that was connected to her room she looked at the mirror as the pain didn’t seem to ease up at all. There was a dark purple mark near the bottom of her cheek close to her mouth and she had a split lip near the corner of her bottom lip that was still dripping a little blood.

She just stood there for what seemed like hours staring at her reflection. He had never hit her before, he had yelled and raised his hand, but he had never actually hit her before. Not until now. The tears started to fall and she numbly picked up a wash cloth and put it under water before bringing it to her lip. She winced and took some make up to cover her cheek.

Wiping away the stray tears she grabbed her jacket and locked her bedroom door knowing he wouldn’t come in, before opening her window and slipping slowly down the tree like she had the other night.
_________________________________
Chapter 11 by smg fan


Chapter 11


She sat there picking at the stuff the school passed off as lunch. She sighed softly and continued to pick at her food sitting in silence as Xander talked to her, she however, hadn’t heard a single word that had come out of his mouth. Ever since last night her spirits were down and she was feeling the death of her mom even more. Joyce had been the only person she could completely confide in and tell everything to without the fear of being judged like she was when school came around.

She looked up for a minute, Willow had skipped all her first classes and she wasn’t here yet, that worried her.

“ Buff, are you ok?”

“ Hmm?” She looked at him without really looking at him and then shook herself out of her thoughts. “ Sorry, I kind of spaced.”

“ Yeah, I noticed. I mean, I’m not completely stupid, I can kinda tell when someone just isn’t listening.” He gave her a half hearted goofy grin and she sighed again.

“ It’s not you Xan, really. It’s just... its nothing. Guess I’m just a little worried thinking about Willow's absence. Have you seen her at school today at all?”

“ Now that you mention it, no. That’s not like her, she doesn’t skip school. At all, like, ever.”

She couldn’t help but giggle. “It’s always the good ones that go bad.”

Xander just laughed.

“ I’m just going to the washroom. I’ll be right back.” Standing up she quickly walked out of the cafeteria and made her way to the washroom. When she walked in there however, she hadn’t expected to hear anyone crying and quiet sniffles comming from one of the stalls.

“ Who’s there?” She asked softly trying to sound friendly.

“ Buffy, is that you?”

“ Willow?” She walked over to the stall and opened the door to see the red head sitting on a toilet seat with tissue paper in her hand and her makeup smudged from crying.

“ Have you been here all morning?!” She looked down and nodded.

“ Why? What happened?”

Willow looked up. “ I knew it wouldn’t work, they still see me as the geeky nerd that helped them with homework so they would pass.” She sniffled again and blew her nose.

Buffy narrowed her eyes. “ What happened?”

“ I came to school this morning dressed like you told me.” She started to absentmindedly toy with the hem of her skirt. “ And I ran into Harmony...”

Buffy clenched her fists at the mention of the idiotic blonde she had the displeasure of meeting the pervious day.

“...a..and she said that I could dress up any way I want but I’d always be a loser and a nerd. And t..then...” She blew her nose once again as fresh tears flooded her eyes. “...she said that if I had wanted to dress up like a two dollar slut then I should have just told her and she would have pointed me to the nearest discount trashy store.”

Buffy saw red. The little bimbo was telling Willow that she looked like a slut?! She had no right when she herself wore skimpy clothing and Willow didn’t look even remotely like that. “ Get up Wils.”

The redhead just complied and stood up near the sink. Buffy grabbed some more tissue paper and put I under the faucet wetting it before starting to wipe away the smudged makeup from her friends face. “ You, Willow Rosenberg, are going to straighten your clothes, re-apply your makeup, put on a smile and walk out that door with me. You’re going to show that piece of white trash that you weren’t affected by anything she said and that she’s wrong. You’re going to show everybody just how incredibly sexy you are and I.... Well, I’m going to do something else.”

“ Ok.” Listening to the blonde, Willow re-applied her make up and fixed her clothes and hair. Looking at her approvingly Buffy pushed her towards the exit and smiled at her reassuringly. “ Come on.”

Grabbing her by the arm she pulled her to the lunch table her and Xander had been sitting at grinning at the appreciating looks the red head was getting along the way.

“ Buffy, what took you so long? I tought you...Willow?!” His mouth fell open and his sat there speechless. “ Willow you look great!” She blushed.

Buffy smacked her on the arm gently. “ See I told you so!”

She looked at her. “ Aren’t you one of those people that always says, I’m not going to say I told you so.” Willow asked.

Buffy grinned. “ Nope, not me.”

“ So what caused the big change?”

They both looked at Xander forgetting momentarily that he was still there.

“ Just thought it was time for a change, I mean, you’ve known me since we were in diapers Xand. Have you ever seen me stray from the regular? Ever?”

He paused trying to think of a time. “ Nope. Point taken.”

“ So, has anyone seen Oz?”

Buffy laughed.

“ What?” Willow asked indigniantly.

“ Nothing, it’s just, your so predictable.”

“ We’ll have to change that then won’t we?”

Buffy stopped laughing for a minute and smirked, it reminded her of the annoying smirk that Spike was always sporting on his face. “ Look at that Sass, I like it.”

She stopped talking to her friends for a few minutes and looked around the cafeteria. There was something she still had to do today and she would do it if she had to search the whole school to find the one person.

“ What’s up Buff. You look all thoughtful, kind of used to that look on Willow most of the time.” Xander commented.

“ Yeah, I have something to do still.”

“ Where are you going?” He watched as she started to make er way across the cafeteria.

“ To put a bitch in her place.”
___________________________________________________________
Chapter 12 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay in updates but the school year isn't starting to wind down like it should but just getting more hectic as it's nearing the end. I'm happy to inform however, that May and June will pretty much be wasted months so I'll be updating more. Please review!


Chapter 12


Usually she would have felt at least a little nervous approaching the ‘popular’ table in the middle of the cafeteria where it seemed everything revolved around. Not that she would show it. For one, she was out numbered, and two…well she couldn’t think of a second reason, the first one was good enough.

But today? Today she wasn’t nervous, today she was just beyond a little ticked off at the certain blonde that was sitting beside Cordelia and she intended on fixing that. To hell with being against violence. She looked around the table to see who was there. Wesley and Angel were there, she knew she could count on them to back her up, that or at least not go against her. But Spike was there too, she didn’t know what to expect from him. She also recognized Riley and Gunn from the Bronze, but the person she was really after was sitting beside Cordelia and some other girl chatting and filing her nails.

“ Hi Buffy.”

She turned and gave Wesley a weak smile trying to keep her hostility towards Harmony low as she spoke to him. “ Hi, sorry but I’m not here to talk to you right now.” She did catch the smug smirk that Spike sent his cousins way. “ Not here to see you either Casanova.”

Cordelia rolled her eyes. “ Good, because Spikey is taken!” Harmony said frowning.

“ Oi! I’m not, we’ve been over for a long time Harm!”

“ God would you two just shut up!” Buffy snapped. “ I’m not here to talk about Spike right now. But answer me this Harm, did you by any chance insult Willow this morning? Make any type of bitchy remark at all?”

She watched a satisfied grin appear on the blondes face and crossed her arms. “ Actually, I did. Somebody had to tell that wannabe that she can’t just go around trying to look like one of us.”

“ You’re really going to regret that.”

Harmony frowned getting up. “ What are you going to do about it?”

“ Cat fight!” Riley yelled loud enough for the entire cafeteria to hear him. Soon most eyes were on the pair of blondes standing in the middle of the café glaring at each other.

“ Well, first I’d say I’m going to do this.” Grabbing the tray of a passing guy she smeared it all over Harmony’s clothes.

Willow and Xander watched what mouths agape as they slowly made their way closer to the scene taking in what was happening.

Harmony shrieked. “ This is a designer blouse I got in Italy you freak!!”

“ Next time you think of calling one of my friends a slut, or anything else resembling yourself, remember that I don’t take it very lightly.” She turned around and started walking away, sure she wanted to hurt Harmony but she didn’t plan on getting suspended and having Hank get mad. Those thoughts however left her mind when she felt her hair being pulled from behind.

Spinning around she saw that Harmony had a firm grip on her hair and was seething. “ You can’t just embarrass Harmony Kendall like that! Who do you think you are you little bitch?”

Buffy wrenched her hair away with a small scream of pain and slapped the other girl across the cheek. “ Since when is it in to talk in third person?!”

Harmony brought a hand up to her cheek, currently a dark shade of red and continued glaring at the other girl as the group, along with the rest of the school continued to watch the scene unfolding as something fascination or future gossip material. Grabbing a fist full of mashed potatoes Harmony hurled them at Buffy before she could react.

Wiping them off her she dodged another bowl-full of soup that landed on an unsuspecting guy behind her who yelled ‘Hey!’ and then threw the remains of his lunch at another guy close to Harmony. Before Buffy could even register what was happening everyone was throwing food at each other in an all out food fight.

She was going to continue to get even with Harmony when she saw that the girl was already screeching about the food that was being thrown at her and laughed. She continued laughing as she turned around and started to walk back to the table deciding that the popular bitch was already getting what she deserved. She spun around though when what felt like jell-o hit the back of her head and hair. She glared seeing Spike standing there with a satisfied grin on his face.

“ Oh, I’m so going to wipe that smug grin off your face bleach boy!” She grabbed a ladle that had somehow maid its way to the floor and dipped it in gravy flinging it at the blonde menace.

He dodged it with wide eyes still grinning. “ Oi! No need to get personal.” Boy was he glad that he left his duster in his locker for lunch.

Buffy watched in horror as the gravy splattered all over Wesley. “ Oh my god Wesley! I’m so… Ahhh!” She screamed as Spike threw cold ice cream on her partially revealed stomach after her top had rose slightly from all the movement.

“ You little…”

Wesley watched with interest and frowning slightly as Buffy dove for Spike grabbing the newest food item out of his hand and wrestling with him on the floor. If he didn’t know his cousin any better he’d think that he was making a pass at his current interest.

Buffy and Spike stopped wrestling, now on the floor both grabbing the same tray of food they glared at each other. She stopped when it dawned on her. Looking around she burst out laughing, she hadn’t had this much fun since…ever. Spike burst out laughing shortly after her.

“ You’re a bloody mess!”

“ Like your much better, there’s peas and potatoes in your hair!” She laughed picking a pea out of his hair.

“ I’m glad you find this so funny Ms. Summers.”

Buffy froze. Great, while she was having fun she forgot all about getting in trouble, and Snider.

“ I’d like to see you both in my office pronto!” Seething with rage the tiny man stalked off.
Chapter 13 by smg fan


Chapter 13


Buffy sat opposite Snyder’s desk in an uncomfortable chair next to Spike who looked… Buffy frowned slightly at the satisfied smirk he was wearing on his face. On further inspection she decided he looked ridiculously funny. His hair still had pieces of potatoe and peas in it and he had all sorts of unidentifiable foods smeared on his clothes and was happily leaning back in the chair making it as dirty as possible. She giggled.

Spike turned and stared at her with his eyebrows raised, smirk firmly in place. “ Something funny pet?”

She giggled again hating how it made her sound like some eighth grade girl but liked it at the same time because it made her feel normal. “ You. You’re an absolute mess and its hilarious.”

Grinning he leaned over and pulled a piece of jell-o out of her flowing blonde hair and flicked it at her. “ Not so picture perfect yourself.” That was a lie and he knew it, she looked bloody adorable sitting there with her blonde tresses covered in red jell-o in some places. A cute smile on her face.

She crossed her arms still amused. “ And who’s fault would that be?”

“ Yours.” Both teens looked to see Snyder walking in through the door with the same expression he always wore on his face. Loathing.

Spike rolled his eyes. “ You know, despite what you think Snyder, its not always our fault.”

Snyder just stared at him.

“ Fine, that’s a lie. It’s not always her fault. I’m always to blame.” He winked at her and gave the scrawny nazi of a principle an evil looking smirk.

Buffy, against her will, blushed and watched as Snyder turned almost purple, she could practically see steam coming out of his ears.

“ You should watch your mouth Spike.” He spat the nickname out with extra venom. He seemed to regain a little bit of his composure before continuing. “ I will not give you any more detentions because I don’t want to see your faces in my own time longer then I have too, however, you and your little circle of friends will stay and clean up the cafeteria for the rest of the afternoon. Whatever work you miss you will have to make up for and if you happen to finish early you have a suspension for the rest of the day.”

With a shrug of his shoulders Spike stood up and made his way to the door, closely followed by Buffy.

“ So, that was fun.” She shuddered.

“ Yeah, the guys a mini Hitler.” Spike joked earning a laugh from her and an amusing snort from the new secretary.

“ Got that right.” The older brunette muttered under her breath.

“ C’mon, lets get to the cafeteria and clean up so we can finally leave.” Spike ran his hand through his hair trying to get the food out.

Buffy just stared at him doubtfully. “ You clean? Willingly?”

He pause pretending to be contemplating her statement. “ you’re right. Lets go to the cafeteria so I can pretend to clean while the rest of you do all the work for me.”

She shrugged. “ At least it’s the truth.”

***
“ So I don’t get it. How come the blonde bimbo and her leader got off without having to clean this place and we’re stuck here…” Xander paused making a disgusted face at the mixture of mustard gravy and other questionable foods he was cleaning off the floor. “…scrubbing gross stuff off the floor?” He looked over at Spike who was sitting on a bench he had cleaned off. “ At least some of us.”

“ Because Queen C has connections.” Gunn said half heartedly cleaning one of the table with a sponge. “ Her dad makes donations to the school and knows Snyder. Harmony got off by association.”

Buffy looked over at Willow who was also cleaning some un-named sticky stuff off the wall. “ I still don’t get it. How’d you get yourself stuck here Wils?”

Willow blushed. “ I kinda…uhm..”

“ She hit Snyder in the side of the face with the mystery meat.” Xander grinned proud of his friend.

Everyone burst out laughing. “ I can’t believe I missed that!” Angel roared with laughter.

Wesley stopped and looked around. “ Do you hear that?”

Spike frowned. “ What’re you talking bout’?”

Ignoring his cousin Wesley walked towards the doors and opened them wider, some kind of music flooded the large room echoing off the walls and magnifying the sound. “ That.”

“ Sometimes the teachers that stay after school hours put on music over the P.A while they work.” Willow said as she continued working. She bit her bottom lip after realizing that everyone was looking at her curiously. “ I uh, stay after school sometimes. Well, I used to anyway.” She gave Buffy a grateful smile.

“ Would you like to dance m’lady?”

Buffy laughed at the way Wesley spoke in a deeper English accent and bowed low giving her a charming smile. “ I’d be honoured to.” Taking his hand she laughed as he spun her in circles purposely until she was dizzy so that he could hold her close so she wouldn’t fall. “ You sneaky…!” She didn’t finish as he dipped her, making her hair graze the floor.

Spike watched frowning at the scene. The girl that was supposed to be his was dancing once again, in the arms of his un explicably lucky cousin. And it was driving him crazy. It was supposed to be him not Wesley.

Angel walked over to Spike and gave him a smug grin. “ Guess Wesley finally has something you don’t.”

Spike glared at him. “ Sod off. I could have her if I wanted!”

Angel raised his eyebrows amused. “ Is that so?”

The bleached blonde nodded. “ I bet I can get Buffy to go out with me and leave Wes in two weeks at most.” He said looking at Buffy the whole time as she continued to laugh.

“ Is that a fact? Fine. If you loose then you owe me two hundred fifty big ones.” Angel grinned at the intrigued look on his friends face.

“ Ok. But if I win you have to go out with Harmony for at least a week and a half since you made fun of me for it.”

Angel thought it over for a minute. “ You got yourself a bet.”
_____________________________________
A/N:Hope you like this chapter , this is when the whole bet begins. I feel so giddy. Thanks for all the reviews guys!. And also Happy 29 birthday to everybodys faveorite slayer Sarah Michelle Gellar!
Chapter 14 by smg fan


Chapter 14


Buffy smiled at Wesley from across the table as they sat in a booth at the Expresso Pump. The local coffee place. Since she had gone through her detention time cleaning the cafeteria she was free to go anywhere she wanted afterwards and luckily she had decided to take Wesley up on his earlier offer.

“ I know this is out of the blue, but why did you move to Sunnydale? I mean, it’s…Sunnydale.”

Buffy laughed. “ Actually I didn’t choose to, my dad moved us here after… Because he has business associates here. It was after my mom died.”

Wesley frowned. God Buffy. I’m so sorry, if I had know…”

“ You wouldn’t have asked?” She gave him a gentle smile. “ You would have found out sooner or later, I just rather its from me then someone else.”

“ Why did you choose me?” He blurted out.

She frowned. “ Huh?”

“ I meant, there was Angel and Spike, and me. Why did you pick me? I mean, Angels the one the girls consider their ideal ‘tall dark and handsome’ type with a mysterious quality if I remember Willow correctly. And Spike, well he’s Spike. He’s the bad boy who always gets the girl. Me, I’m just Wesley, plain and boring.”

She took his hand in hers. “ You sell yourself short Wes. You’re not boring and you’re not plain. You’re sweet, charming, handsome, smart, and sensitive. Besides, you make it sound like I’m gods gift or something, I consider myself lucky whenever a guy so much as gives me a second glance.” She grinned. “ As for Spike and Angel, both nice guys now that I know them, but they seem to much of the love ‘em and leave ‘em type. Not that I think that anymore, since I know them better, but before when they asked me to dance they acted like that exact description.”

Wesley nodded in agreement. “ Are we still on for Saturday?”

She smiled at him as they got up. “ Of course.” She kissed him on the cheek.

***
Spike there the cigarette to the ground and stomped on it with his boot. “ Bloody buggering idiot. You’re not supposed to be nervous. It’s just like all the other bets. This one just involves a girl you may…slightly like. Maybe not even.” He mumbled to himself as he got out of the car and started to make his way to the front door. “ Who are you kidding.” Having made his way up the steps he took one last breath and knocked.

Not a minute later an older looking man with dark brown hair with some grey in it opened the door, a deep frown marring his slightly aged face. “ I’m Hank Summers, who might you be?”

Spike tried not to feel intimidated by the other man. Glad he had worn his dark blue button down shirt and left his duster in the car. “ I’m William Giles. Was wondering if Buffy was home.”

He watched as Hank looked him up and down for a few seconds before grunting something under his breath and turning to get Buffy.

Buffy was listening to her music through the ear phones when she heard a knock on her bedroom door. Hank. “ Yeah?”

“ You have a visitor. William Giles.”

She nearly fell of her bed as her eyes shot open. Shit. She wasn’t as nervous about seeing Spike after school as she was abut Hank seeing her with him after school. Even him knowing that she had guy friends was bad.

“ I’ll be right there.” Jumping off the bed she quickly pulled on a large sweater and a pear of sweatpants that were loose on her. Tying her hair up in a ponytail she removed any makeup and quickly exited her room to go downstairs. Her hopes were that if her father saw her wearing this to see Spike he wouldn’t get the wrong idea. Even if she did look ridiculous.

“ Hi Spike.” She said giving him a very weak smile and sounding very unenthusiastic. “ What are you doing here?” She looked at Hank for a second who seemed to be thinking. “ On second thought lets go outside for a minute.” She quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him out the door before anyone could protest.

“ Spike what the hell are you doing here?” She stepped back and folded her arms across her chest.

He frowned at how she was acting. “ I came to talk to you, see f’ you wanted to see a little more of Sunnydale at night. That so wrong?”

“ Yes! I mean…” She sighed. “ Look, I appreciate the thought, I really do, but my dad doesn’t like me hanging around with guys.” Her face took on a pleading quality when she saw that he was about to sent a retort her way. “ Don’t, please. Look, it’s just not a good thing if you come here ok? You should probably leave.”

“ But I…”

She closed her eyes. “ Spike, please.”

He studied her face for what seemed like eternity. Something was going on that she wasn’t telling her and he was going to find out. “ Ok.”

She opened her eyes and gave him a soft smile. “ Thanks.” With that she quickly slipped back into the house.

Spike just stood there staring at the door wondering what had happened. Whatever it was, it wasn’t meant to happen like that. He was supposed to come here and surprise her, take her out to show her around, somewhere mildly romantic so it didn’t look suspicious but so that they could make a connection. Yet, somehow he found himself standing outside staring at her door after she virtually begged him to leave. Yup, something was off.

Turning around he made his way down the steps and to his car. He thought about what had just happened as he drove away. A thought hit him out of the blue. Where was her mum?
__________________________--
A/N: Sorry that the chapter is so short but I've been really busy lately. Between school and the ammount of work I am doing its crazy , I'm also thinking about taking on a job. Anyway, Please review .
Chapter 15 by smg fan


Chapter 15


Buffy stared into the mirror, she looked at the small bruise on her lower jaw and the yellowish purple handprint on her arm and sighed. At least it wasn’t so bad. And she was pretty sure he wouldn’t do it again. Pulling on a pink cashmere sweater with long sleeves and a pair of low riding jeans she started to cover her bruise. The miracle of makeup. She pulled her hair into a ponytail and grabbed her backpack and purse as she left the house. She didn’t have to worry about Hank in the mornings most of the time because he usually left before she did.

As she stopped at a red light (deciding to take the long route to school), she began to think about the past few moths. If she thought about it, it wasn’t that bad now. Well besides her mom… But what was happening now, with Wesley and having friends was good the whole Hank thing was probably only karma.

It was no secret to people that she knew that Buffy blamed herself for Joyce’s death. She figured everything that was happening now was just meant to happen to even things out for what had happened. And Hank didn’t disagree with her blaming herself either, he actually thought it too. The only way she kept going was with the thought that her mom wouldn’t want her to be unhappy and just not thinking about it. She was pretty good at making herself feel numb even without the alcohol.

She was brought abruptly out of her thoughts when the light turned to green and people started to honk. Pulling into the school parking lot a few minutes later she checked her makeup in the mirror and started to walk up the steps of the school while people milled about before the first bell. It was strange how wearing layers of clothing made her feel more self-conscious then wearing a short skirt and halter did.

She was thinking so much about how she looked that she didn’t feel anyone standing behind her at her locker until their hands snaked around her waist. At first she was shocked and then she remembered that it was probably Wesley grinning she turned around and her eyes went wide.

“ Spike! What are you doing?!” She tried to let go but Spike blocked her from one side putting his hand by her head and let the other on drop to his side knowing that her open locker was blocking the other side.

“ Just wanted to see the prettiest girl around to make my first class at least a little bearable.

Buffy blushed (something she didn’t indulge in often) but had a witty remark ready no less. “ If you actually decide to go to class.”

He grinned. “ Touché. Beauty and brains.”

Buffy just blinked and looked away feeling like the situation was slightly awkward. Here she was, trapped with her back to her locker with her soon to be boyfriends cousin nearly pressing himself against her as he made comments on how pretty and smart she was. Something was definitely off here.

“ Spike, what are you up to? You know I’m going to go out with Wesley, probably go steady.” She saw the frown that started to settle over his features and tried to make the situation less awkward. “ Besides, why say stuff like that to me when you can have any girl in the school that you want.”

She let out an involuntary sigh of relief when he moved away a little more but was caught off guard when he leaned close to her ear and spoke. “ That’s it though. I want you.”

Her eyes went wide at the admission. And she just stared at him for a few seconds before glaring at him. “ I see, unattainable is your thing huh? Guess what, I’ll never be attainable for you.” With that she slammed her locker shut and grabbed her backpack. Before he could protest she was lost in the sea of students as the bell rang.

“ Bloody hell.”
***
Buffy sat through her first class just staring out the window as the teacher went on with her lecture about how Newton's first law made it's appearance in the earlier discussion. She couldn't get over what Spike had done just a little under an hour ago. Why would he come up and say something like that to her knowing that she was with Wesley, and that she wouldn’t do that to him.

“…Ms. Summers, what do you think about this?”

Buffy’s head quickly turned to face her sceptical looking teacher as her voice broke through her reverie. Obviously the teacher had finally caught on to her little trip to la la land. “ I think that your earlier query was a trick question. The subject would not be considered an object, but even though, it was still acted upon by an unbalanced force meaning that at least part of the statement was true.” She may not have paid attention to most of the lesson but Buffy Summer was no idiot.

She watched as a satisfied smile spread across the teachers face and she moved back behind her desk to write the homework on the chalkboard knowing that even though she did this every class students rarely wrote it down. As the bell rang the blonde eagerly grabbed her backpack and bounded for the bathroom to make a quick stop and fix her makeup, it wasn’t a bad place to hide out either until everyone was in their classes. She was guessing that otherwise, Spike would come looking and find her somewhere in the hallway. Knowing that her next class included the bleached blonde, and that he was someone she just wasn’t ready to see again today, she stepped out of the washroom and started to walk to the library after making sure no one was in the halls.

The only thought that seemed to clear her clouded mind now was that her big date with Wesley was tonight. The thought made her a little giddy, what were the chances that a sweet, charming, amazingly good-looking guy would be interested in her? And that she had asked him to dance, well, she never did that. Ever.
Chapter 16 by smg fan


Chapter 16


Getting in her car the blonde flipped her hair over her should and put on her expensive sun glasses. Maybe skipping out on detention wasn't the most conventional thing in the world but at the moment it was the smartest considering the earlier actions of a certain guy. She had managed to successfully avoid the bleached menace all day since the locker incident. Now she was heading home to get ready for her date with Wesley.

Oh sure she'd have double detention for skipping out. But Buffy Summers always had everything figured out. Today was the last official day of detention and Spike had probably gone to see if she was there too, which meant that he was done his detention time and next time she went she'd be off the hook. She smiled. Buffy Summers was definitely one smart cookie.

The only bad that came out of her little plan was Giles. Sure she didn't care if some teacher gave her that look or the lecture or any of it really. But that was exactly the problem. Giles wasn't just 'some teacher'. It bugged her that he cared about what happened to her because that would make him one of the few people. So when he gave her the 'I'm so disappointed in you' look or the lecture she actually felt guilty. God help her if it was both a look and the lecture. Or maybe it was just her looking for some form of discipline or punishment like parents would give out so she could feel like someone cared.

Buffy shook her head and laughed. Now she was just being ridiculous. Pulling into the driveway she pushed her glasses on top of her head and grabbed her things walking up to the house. Thankfully Hank wasn't home yet and there was a message on the answering machine saying he would be home a little later which meant he'd be home tomorrow morning. She had all the time in the world.

***

Standing in front of the body length mirror in her room Buffy put in her earrings and smiled at her reflection. She wasn't sure where Wesley was taking her so deciding that wearing something that would be accepted in multiple places would be best so she wore an elegant white halter top that tied around her neck and a pair of low riding jeans with a sash belt. She didn’t want to be dressed like a, well, slut compared to the people if it was some fancy restourant but if it was someplace like the bronze she didn’t want to be under-exposed. Curling her hair lightly so it had a slight wave to it she put it up with red chop sticks. This way if they went to a club she’d be able to take it down easily.

Slipping into her favourite pair of strappy sandals Buffy grabbed her purse and made her way downstairs. She was going out on a date. Slowly walking over to the couch she sat down and absentmindedly grabbed one of the animal crackers that was left out after the last time she had indulged. The blonde glanced at the clock and sighed. Why was she so nervous? She was Elizabeth Summers. Daughter of Hank Summers...the incredibly drunk bastard.

She giggled. What would daddy dearest say if he knew what his own daughter thought of him? She shivered. Actually, she didn’t want to find out. Back to topic, she shouldn’t be nervous. Except, she was a bit rusty in the dating game. Flirting was different. She was an expert at that. But the last time she had been on a date was when... Well her whole life did a full 360 degree turn.

Buffy stood at her locker chatting with her friends. Being popular was actually a lot more dull then people thought it was. Actually people didn’t care, as long as they were in it and everyone loved them, or pretended like they did, everything was fine. Leaning back against random lockers she smiled and nodded at what her friends were saying not really caring.

“ So what did you think of that pink satin...”

“ Oh my god Buffy! Brian is coming over here! I bet he’s going to ask you out.” Candice broke in interrupting the other girl. “ You know, I heard from my cousin, who heard from heard from her best friends boyfriend who is friends with Brian’s best friend that he’s going to ask you out!”

Buffy blinked. What had that girl just said. Because it made absolutely no sense. Except for the ‘..Brian’s going to ask you out part’. She really wouldn’t have cared since she got asked out or stared at blatantly enough except this was Emery High’s finest. Captain of the football and soccer team and the hottest guy around. She couldn’t help the little butterflies that fluttered in her stomach as she turned for a split second and saw him approach with his usual air of immportance. Besides, she hadn’t had a boyfriend in a while and Brian was definitely not te worst applicant. Tall, dark and handsome. He wasn’t on the meaty side either which was good.

She mentally thanked her friends as they quickly dispersed leaving her alone at her locker as Brian finally got there. She gave him a flirty smiled as he leaned closer to her. “ Hi Buff. You doing anything tonight?”

She stopped for a minute to look like she was thinking. “ Well, depends. You trying to say something?”

He grinned. “ Actually, yeah. Do you want to go out around 7:30?”

She gave him a million watt smile. “ Sure, see you then.” With that she quickly walked off to her next class. She didn’t know that she wouldn’t make it to that date.


Abruptly brought out of her thoughts by the doorbell she quickly stood up, straightened out her clothes and made her way to the door. She took a deep breathe. “ Don’t screw this up Summers.” Well if she did there was always her date’s hottie bleached cousin... Her eyes went wide. That just wasn’t right, besides, he only wanted her because she was unattainable. Wiping the frown from her face and putting on a bright smile she opened the door.

“ Hi Wes.”
______________________________________
A/N: Ok, happy to say school is now over minus two quick trips I still have to make there. Exams are now over and I have all the time I want so more updates are to be expected. I'm just going to mention again that the italic's are flashbacks and that this one is a continuation from the earlier one excep it's just from earlier that same day. Reviews are always appriciated ^.^
Chapter 17 by smg fan


Chapter 17


Buffy smiled contentedly kicking off her heels and running up to her room so she could call Willow. Ok, so it hadn’t been the world’s most exciting date but it was definitely the best she’d ever been on. And he was really charming and sweet. ‘That’s Wesley all right.’

Closing the door and doing a belly flop onto her bed to reach for the cordless she dialled the red heads number. And turned on her back as she waited for her friend to pick up. Picking at her nails she sighed as the phone was finally answered on the third ring.

“ Hello, Willow speaking.”

“ Hi Wills, I just got back from my date with Wesley.”

Willow squealed enthusiastically. “ And?!” She apologized to her mom after receiving a glare and moved to her room.

“ And it was nice. I mean he’s so great. The way he treats me like a complete gentleman and compliments me on the right things.”

Willow paused and frowned lightly. “ But?”

It was Buffy’s turn to frown. “ But what? There’s not but’s why would you sense any but’s?” She looked up at the ceiling and dew lazy patterns on her bed covers.

“ Dunno, I just kind felt a but coming on after that. Are you absolutely sure he’s what you want?”

“ Of course. I mean. He treats me good and he’s a nice guy. Why wouldn’t I like him?”

Willow decided to back off on the defensive. “ No reason, just making sure your happy. So how was it?”

“ Great. He took me to this little hidden restaurant. We talked and there was lots of flirtage of the good kind.”


Buffy frowned slightly as she stepped out of his car only to the sight of a run down looking three story building. She scrunched up her nose, well, this wasn’t what she had been expecting to say the least.

She turned to Wesley and tried to think of something to say that would be subtle but to the point. “ Uh, Wesley, not that I don’t like going to dingy old apartments that have broken windows and are possibly condemned but why are we here?” Ok a little to blunt. Strike one Summers, great way to get the guy, insulting his good intentions on your first date. Well, not all guys intentions were good but his were.

She was astonished when she heard him chuckle and saw amusement in his eyes. “ Am I missing something?”

“ Do you really think I’d take a date to..” He paused and looked at the building in front of them comically. “..this place?” He smiled at her and gently took her arm leading her towards the alley one the side of the house.

“ Right, because dark, creepy alleyways are sure to score you points in the dating department.” She said sarcastically now more relaxed. From previous experiences guys were very predictable. Concerts, clubs that she went to regularly, maybe a restaurant. She had to give Wesley points for originality but it was kind of strange.

He gave her a patient smile. “ Not a ‘creepy alleyway’ but one of the best kept secrets in this boring town.” As they rounded the corner and walked a few more steps a tiny restaurant came into view and she grinned. “ See.” He said matter of factly.

She bit her lip as he led her inside the tiny establishment. “ Fine I admit, its cozy.” She glanced around in approval. Sure it was small but it just added to the charm. It looked like one of those small ethnic food restaurants that everyone loved to go to because the atmosphere was so warm and inviting. That meant the food was probably great too.

To her surprise she saw an older dark haired woman with tan skin waving in her direction. She tapped Wesley gently on the shoulder. “ Do you maybe, know that lady over there?”

He smiled. “ That’s Anita. She’s the owner of this place. I used to work around here and helped her out a lot after her husband died.” He waved her over and smiled as she embraced him tightly.

“ It’s good to see you Wesley, it’s been a while since I saw your face around here. Haven’t forgotten about me have you now?”

“ Of course not. This is Buffy. My date tonight.” Buffy giggled as Anita winked at him and gave her a warm hug before leading them to their table at the back where moonlight shone through the window.


“ So did you kiss him?” Will asked pumping the blonde for more details.

Buffy frowned. “ Actually, no. There was this awkwardness when we reached the door but I’m sure it was just because I was really nervous and he’s kind of shy too.”

Buffy smiled at Wesley as they finally made it to her front door. “ So I guess its goodnight. I had a good time though.”

“ I did too. Would you. I’m not sure how to put this…”

“ Like to go steady? Yeah, I would.” She chirped seeing his shy side come out after an evening with a confident guy.

He slowly leaned down to kiss her, only at the last minute she got the jitters and turned her face suddenly becoming embarrassed she apologized. “ Sorry, I guess I got kind of nervous. I haven’t really, er, kissed anyone for a long while.” She blushed.

“ That’s all right.” He kissed her on the forehead and they said their last goodbye’s before he left.


“ Yeah, I’m sure it was only jitters. Anyway, what are you doing tomorrow, I was hoping we could go to the Bronze.”

Buffy thought about the chances of seeing Spike there. They were pretty high. Even so, she couldn’t avoid him forever as much as she would love to and Sunday she was going shopping on here last day of freedom before her dad grounded her for getting detenion. After today’s little Houdini act she was sure to have detention on Monday. “ Sure Wills, I’ll go. Seeing as how I can’t go on Monday because I have detention and I’m sure my dads going to get a call and ground me.”

“ Why would you have detention? I thought today was your last day.”

Should she tell Willow? It couldn’t hurt right? “ Me and Spike had kind of a falling out. So I skipped detention deciding to go into avoidy girl mode.”

Willow twirled the cord of her phone, her interest suddenly piqued. “ What happened?”

“ He kind of, came on to me. When I was at my locker he cornered me and there was touching and comments exchanged.”

There was a long pause as Willow lay stunned. She was about to speak when..

“ GOD! He infuriates me! I mean, he knows Wesley likes me and I like him. For crying out loud it’s his cousin and he still makes a pass at me. And the only reason he did is because I’m unattainable! The nerve that guy has.”

That was the first time Willow had heard her friend talk to strongly about how she felt. And it was in no involvement to Wesley. Interesting. “ Wow Buffy, I don’t know what to say. I mean, Spike’s never been one to take no for an answer. Especially when it comes to girls. What Spike wants Spike gets.”

“ Yeah, well he better start getting used to hearing rejection.”
Chapter 18 by smg fan


Chapter 18


Saturday had gone by without a problem and Sunday she had gone to the Bronze with Willow and the gang. Surprisingly enough Spike had been a no show and only Willow and Buffy herself had an actual speculation as to the reason. They kept quiet about it of course.

That was one of those rare weekends where Hank had to work late, also known as ‘get drunk off his ass and pick up a bimbo’ night. Those were the nights he didn’t come home. Any other daughter would be worried if one of their parents hadn’t come home, not her, she came to think of it as a blessing. A sign from the powers that be that she had some time to herself without constant yelling or seeing her father completely drunk.

Now she was running through the nearly empty halls with her purse slung over her shoulder and her books clutched to her chest trying to get to class on time so she wouldn’t get in even more trouble. As soon as she stepped through the class door the bell rang and she let out a small sigh of relief. That however didn’t last long when she noticed most people had already taken their seats and the only two seats left. On one hand she could sit beside Spike and try as hard as she could not to talk to him or look at him, on the second hand there was always sitting between Cordelia and Harmony. Spike it was. At least she had a chance sitting there, if it was Cordelia she’d end up strangling her by the end of class.

Taking a deep breath she walked over to her seat and put her purse down beside her and her books on her desk. Keeping her head facing the front she tried not to think about the bleach blonde that was currently staring at her. It was kind of hard though when she could feel his eyes boring into her.

Slipping lower in her chair she pulled out her notebook and started to take notes on some war that happened a long time ago. Ok, so maybe note taking wasn’t working out that well. Maybe it would work better if he’d stop staring at me. She thought with frustration. And then she heard a quiet ‘pst’. Great, not only is he staring at me but now he’s trying to get me to talk to him during class. I am soo not getting another detention on account of that jerk.

Ignoring him she started to doodle on her note book when she felt something pointy and rough hit her arm. Looking down at the floor she saw a crumpled up piece of paper in the form of a ball laying on the ground beside her. She glared at it before picking it up and glaring at the guy who had thrown it. Turning back to the paper she opened it and read.

Can we talk?
- Spike


She scowled at his cursive writing. There would be no talking, talking always led to bad. There would definitely be no talking. Especially with mr. ‘can’t-keep-hands-to-himself’. Looking to the front she made sure the teacher still had her back turned before turning around and mouthing a ‘no’. And going back to her doodle of an ugly looking bald vampire.

Spike felt like growling in frustration. What was with this girl? Sure he had basically come on to her just before her date with his cousin but did she really have to go to such lengths as avoiding him all day after that and skipping detention. (Where he had actually counted on seeing her to talk) And now she was refusing to talk to him. Unfortunately for her he was just as stubborn as she was, so he had skipped going to the Bronze with the gang and thought of a way to get her to talk to him. After all he only had one and a hald more weeks to get her to leave Wes and be with him. First things first, he had to smooth things over with her.

Kicking back he put his hands behind his head and smirked staring at her and knowing fully well that she knew exactly what he was doing. As soon as the bell rang she would talk to him, weather she wanted to or not.

***

Buffy looked at the clock and smiled when she saw there was only a minute until the bell rang. Good, she would have to be quick if she wanted to get out of there before Spike got to her. Closing her notebook quickly she put her purse over her shoulder and grabbed her books. Little did she know that Spike had already put everything away knowing she would run like a scared rabbit. It wasn’t as if he actually took notes anyway.

She nervously tapped her fingers against her desk until the bell rang at which point she quickly dashed towards the door. To her annoyance she was stalled at the door by the masses of people also trying to leave. Like a herd. she thought. Looking back she didn’t see any bleached hair and smiled. Ok, maybe this would be easier then she thought. When she finally exited she turned when she felt a tap on her shoulder. And proceeded to let out a groan.

“ Nice to see you too.”

She scowled at him. “ You’ve been doing nothing but ‘seeing me’ for the whole period. Haven’t you had enough?” She started to walk and wasn’t even mildly surprised when he fell into step with her.

“ You? Never.” He grinned at her annoyed look.

“ Is there anything specific you wanted to say since you’re now talking to me as requested.”

She noticed that his expression suddenly turned sincere. “ Look, about the other day..”

“ Yeah, there can’t be anymore of that. Me and Wes are now official and I don’t exactly appreciate having rumours fly around about the new girl cheating on her boyfriend with his cousin or something to that affect.”

He mentally frowned. So they were official now huh. Not for long. “Yeah, well sorry. It’s just that I’m not used to having something I want out of my reach. Especially losing it to my cousin. Look, it’s not my fault I like you ok? Not every day I meet a smart gorgeous, feisty girl.”

She didn’t know weather she should be uncomfortable that her new boyfriends cousin was talking about his affection for her or flattered that he was saying all those things about her. She opted for a little of both. “ Did you just call me gorgeous?” The corners of her mouth twitched.

He smiled. “ Well, yeah.”

Wow, who knew he could smile like that? She stopped thinking about his facial expressions long enough to answer him. “ Well, thanks. But don’t. It’s just not right anymore.”

He sighed. “ Figured as much. But just to show you how I’m not going to do anything like the other day how about you go to a small café type place with me tonight?” He saw her smile waver a little and hastily started to speak again. “ Not a date. Just think of it as the proverbial olive branch. A peace offering if you will.” He ignored the urge to tuck a stray piece of hair behind her ear. Don’t get attached. This is just a bet mate.

Buffy couldn’t help but smile. She didn’t want to start any more arguments and as long as it wasn’t a date it would be ok. “ Sure, I guess it’s ok as long as it’s later then my detention. How about six-ish?” There, that wasn’t a date time either, there for it couldn’t be a date.

He grinned. “ k’, six it is then.” With that he took off down the hall.

She stared after him folding her arms at her chest. Yup, definitely not a date.
____________________________________
A/N:Sorry about the slight slip up in that last chapter I've been a little pre-occupied lately and sometimes I have those typo's I'm just forgetful that way lol. Yes Joyce is dead. I fixed it and thanks to Emma and klyl for bringing it to my aattention.
Chapter 19 by smg fan


Chapter 19


Buffy grudgingly made her way to the library. At least she didn't have the Spike problem on her hands anymore. Walking through the library door she was met with silence one again. Great, I better not be her alone or I'm leaving.

Sighing she started to make her way towards the back office. " Giles?"

She her some shuffling and paper rustling before he appeared. Looking more worn then usual, the age lines creasing his face more, as if he had stayed up all night without a wink of sleep. " Hello Buffy, excuse me I was just talking to Wesley." Just then Wesley walked out carrying a stack of books and paper. " Da' I think I found those volumes you wanted but I have to..." A smile spread over his face as he put the books down and noticed Buffy. " Hi Buffy."

She grinned. " Hey you." She readily accepted the hug he gave her and gave him a shy peck on the lips. She broke apart from him when Giles gave a little cough. " I see you two have become....acquainted."

Buffy blushed a little. This is the part where he... Giles took off his glasses and started to clean them furiously. ...starts to clean his glasses.

" Yeah, we're kind of dating."

Giles shook his head and sighed. " Not surprised to see that I was the last to know this."

" Yes, well, I was just about to go. Would you like to join me?" Wesley asked her as he put the books down and helped Giles organize his papers.

Buffy's smile fell. " Well actually, I kind of have my last day of detention. And after that I'm already doing something with...Willow." Great, now she was going to have to get Willow to cover for her. It was just a little white lie, the only reason she didn't want to tell Wes it was his cousin was because he would get all defensive and suspicious. And it wasn't a date so why cause him extra grief?

Wesley gave her a strange look before talking. " Oh, well I guess I'll see you tomorrow then." With that he gave her a kiss on the cheek and left.

She looked at Giles and shrugged before going and sitting down in a chair. She lazily looked through her purse and found he cell phone. Looked like she would have to amuse herself with the games on it for the next half hour or so. Just then the library doors swung open and Spike sauntered in, in a dramatic way.

" 'Lo luv."

Buffy shook her head and laughed. " You are such a drama queen."

Spike gave her a mock hurt and shocked look placing his left hand over his heart. " Your blatant mocking pains me." Putting his patented smirk back on his face he sat on the edge of the table. " Besides, you shouldn't make fun of me when I'm your only company for the next half hour." Buffy giggled at the indignant huff from the counter as Giles mumbled to himself about 'being invisible' and such rot.

Buffy crossed her arms and grinned. She enjoyed these little spats they had. They were just a fun way to pass the time. " Really? Since when does agreeing to be seen with you outside of school and sometimes at give you an all acess pass to practically stalk me?"

" M' not stalking you. Just good company is all." He furrowed his eyebrows. " Unless you want me to go." He made a big show of hopping off the table and backing away slowly.

She exaggerated sighing loudly and rolling her eyes. " Well if you must stay."
Spike shook his head and grinned back at her. " Bite your tongue luv. One of these days god forbid you'll want me around and I won't be there."

She shook her head laughing. " In your dreams Spike, in your dreams."

" Every night."

They continued to banter back and forth unknowing that Giles was watching the whole exchange slightly worried. He took off his glasses and started to clean them in much the same manner he always did. If those two didn't stop acting like a couple in denial someone if not everyone was bound to get hurt. Weather it was Wesley, Buffy or Spike.

***

Thirty minutes later Buffy walked out of the library with Spike at her side. " Want a ride home pet?"

She thought about it for a few seconds. It wouldn't be bad to accept a ride from your boyfriends cousin would it? No worse then accepting and offer to go on a date with him. The little voice in her head responded. It sounded suspiciously like Faith, her old friend from L.A. " Sure."

Buffy spotted an old looking black car. " This one isn't it?"

He smirked. " How'd you guess?"

Buffy raised her eyebrow and folded her hands. " Well, it's old, black, vintage, dirty, and smells like cigarettes. Which by the way, it isn't good to smoke."

He quirked his eyebrow grinned. " Impressive. You're ok with getting a ride in my baby then?"

She shrugged. " Sure why not. Besides the second hand smoke and company there's no problem."

" Oi! Watch it. Just asking cuz' most people don't like er' well, girls at least. They're all about girly cars with pretty colours and speed."

Buffy frowned as she remembered. " Crap, I drove this morning. I'll have to pass on that ride I can't let my pretty coloured girly speed demon get stolen." She grinned cheekily before walking over to her red convertible and making a show of getting in and looking back at him. " Although I'm sure that your car wouldn't get stolen if you want a ride." It was her turn to smirk at the look he gave her.

" Fine." Spike made his way over to her and hopped over the side with ease all the while seeing her look of triumph. " You win."

She flashed him a dazzling smile that made his head spin. " Wow, victory feels good." With that she put her foot down and the car sped quickly out of the parking lot and onto the street.
Chapter 20 by smg fan


Chapter 20


Buffy surveyed the entire contents of her closet (which were currently strewn all over the floor and her bed) with dismay. Why the hell was it this hard to find something to wear on a night out with a friend? Maybe he happened to be a guy friend but a friend no less. Scowling at her clothes she grabbed a pair of low riding jeans and a red halter.

There. Not to casual but not at all, in the least bit, date clothing. Smiling she left her hair as it was and put on some lip gloss. Absolutely not like a date. Looking at the clock she grabbed her purse and made her way downstairs.

Just as she reached the bottom of the steps a hand gripped her shoulder tightly and she found herself slammed into the wall with brutal force. “ Where the hell do you think you’re going now?”

She stared into the cold eyes of her current worst nightmare. God why did this have to happen just when she thought it was over, catch her of guard like that. But she knew, this time she could tell he wasn’t drunk. She knew the difference. She tried not to show fear at the sudden outburst.

“ Just out, with some, uh friends.”
She felt the punch and it felt like the air in her lungs had been violently pushed out of her. Keeling over she gasped for air as she clutched her stomach with one hand.

“ Don’t lie to me little girl, because I’ll make sure you won’t be able to lie to anyone ever again.”

The door bell rang unexpectedly. Hank glared at his daughter. “ Answer it.” He spoke it in a cold deliberate voice.

Getting up she pushed away the pain as best she could and walked towards the door. Pushing away pain was one thing she was good at. Opening the door she put on the best smile she could manage when she was faced with Spike. “ Hi Sp..er William.”

Spike could feel the tension and saw the cold look directed in Buffy’s direction from her father as she told him she’d be back later. He wasn’t good at judging people by any means, he’d done that wrong many time, but he knew that this man was somehow bad news. He didn’t know how yet but he knew that there was something wrong with this picture. The way Buffy had pushed him away the first time he had come here and the way she seemed even slightly scared or intimidated didn’t exactly want to give this guy a father of the year award.

He watched her closely as they made their way to his car after she closed the door. “ Pet is everythin all right?”

She gave him a sideways glance. “ Yeah, why wouldn’t it be?”

He frowned, he didn’t miss how her voice had wavered for a split second. He’d let it go. For now. He went to her side of the car and opened the door. “ Your chariot awaits m’lady.”

Giving him a gracious smile she got in and sighed after he had closed the door. God it was getting harder and harder to hide what really happened behind closed doors, especially when someone as perceptive as Spike almost witnessed it. Now she had to worry about him not finding out.

She had really thought that it had been the last time when he had hit her before. Maybe something just happened that she didn’t know about and she happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since when is your own house ‘the wrong place’?

***

“ So where are you taking me?”

She saw the patented smirk appear on his face and couldn’t help the nervousness that came over her. How was she supposed to act, if this was, in fact, not a date. It would have seemed a lot less like a date if there was someone else there besides just the two of them, and Wesley was bound to find out sooner or later . Maybe this hadn’t been her greatest idea…

“ You’ll see.”

That was it? That was all he was going to say? ‘ You’ll see?’ No sarcastic comments or flirty comments? No that no flirty comments was a bad thing, it was actually good, just didn’t seem very Spike like. She winced. “ Bad choice of rhyme.” She mumbled to herself.

“ What did you say?”

She gave him a nervous smile. “ Nothing, I was just thinking.”

Spike shook his head all the while grinning. “ See, that’s your problem. You think to much, sometimes you just have to act. You’ll never truly live otherwise.”

She raised her eyebrows. “ A closet philosopher to huh? What other tricks do you have hidden?”

She watched as he gave her a sideways leer with his eyebrows raised. “ Wow, forget I asked.”

He pulled the car to a stop. “ Ok pet, we’re here, but you have to promise to keep this place a secret or else I’ll be forced to keep you quiet.” He said in mock seriousness.

“ Fine.”

They both got out of the car and Buffy watched as Spike glanced at the watch on his wrist before a boyish look came over his face. It was the cutest thing she’d ever seen. Before she could ask what he seemed so giddy about he grabbed her by the hand and started to pull her down a narrow alley that was only lit by two yellow lights from the street lamps.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “ What is it with you guys and dark alley ways?”

He glanced back and gave her a scornful look. “ Shh pet, unless you want us to get caught.”

Spike watched as her eyes went comically wide and she stopped in place keeping him from pulling her any farther. “ Where the hell are you taking me that we can’t get caught?! I don’t exactly want to get in trouble with the law here!” She whispered angrily.

Spike glanced at his watch again then turned to look at her, his face totally serious. “ Look, if you want to see this, and I guarantee you’ll love it, then we have to hurry.” When she didn’t seem convinced he grabbed both her hands. “ Look, I would never intentionally get you in any serious trouble. If I thought for a second that you would in any way be hurt I wouldn’t have brought you here. Besides, I’ve been doing this for years and I’ve never been caught yet."

The look on his face when he had said that was utterly sincere and she had no doubt in her mind that he was speaking the truth. Damn it. “ Fine.”

She watched as the happy boyish grin appeared on his face again and he grabbed her hand and again they started to run to a destination she wasn’t yet aware of.

“ Here luv.” He stood in front of the latter he had pulled down earlier that day.

Buffy looked at the old, dirty and unmistakeably rusty ladder that was attached to stairs that went up the side of the building in a zig zag pattern past windows of peoples apartments. “ You’re kidding right? Your peace offering is climbing condemned stair to god knows where?”

He huffed and dragged her over. “ Look, either you trust me and start to climb or I can take you home.”

She rolled her eyes and started to climb. God he was weird. Boy was she glad that she decided on wearing low riding jeans because climbing above him with a skirt on wouldn’t have been the best thing to do. She paused on the third pair of stairs and looked at him as he stepped onto the mini platform in between stairs.

“ Can you tell me where I’m going? I’d like to know what I’m risking my life for by climbing this rust covered staircase from hell.”

“ Well…”

“ Shut up there!” A loud male voice yelled from the apartment closest to them.

Suddenly Buffy found herself pushed up against the well beside the window with Spike pressed up tightly against her.

“ Spike what the…” She frowned when his hang covered her mouth.

“ Shh pet, that guy heard us, luckily he thought it was his neighbours.” He took his hand from her mouth.

Oh god his face was so close to hers. And why the hell couldn’t she stop breathing so erratically. Stupid, stupid Buffy. Calm down he’s just a friend. Wesley, think Wesley thoughts. That did it. She gently pushed him away and kept climbing the ladder carefully. Reaching the roof of the building she turned around and held her hand out before her before dropping them.

“ Ok so what’s up with this? I went through all that just to see the roof top?” She crossed her arms.

He only shook his head smiling and went to one corner off the roof. All Buffy could do was follow helplessly. When she finally reached where she was she gasped.

“ Oh my god.”
________________________
A/N: Sorry for the lack of updates but I went on unexpected vacation and I just got back recently, now my sister as been taking me out everywhere because she has University next year and won't have time. But hope you like this chapter please review!.
Chapter 21 by smg fan


Chapter 21


Buffy stared at the scene in front of her amazed, not able to believe where he had brought her. She turned her gaze to him, her eyes shining with excitement. “ Why did you want to show this to me? I mean, it’s such an amazing secret and how did you know I love her?!”

Spike grinned. She looked absolutely amazing when she was so happy. “ Well, I deemed you worthy of knowing this little secret,” He winked at her as she ducked her head shyly and blushed. “ and I don’t usually go for her style but she’s actually pretty good, kinda guessed you’d like her too.”

She turned back to look at the crowds that were rushing into the fenced area, a stage elaborately built in the front and center. One of her favourite new singers was tuning her acoustic guitar on stage. She heard that there was going to be a concert but didn’t really pay any attention to it since she hadn’t planned on going but now she stood on a building observing it right before it got underway. It sure it wasn’t the same as being right there and watching her but they still had an amazing view and it was more private and roomy. Not to mention cozy, he had set up a blanket to sit on and some food.

She watched as he sat down and patted the spot beside him. She gladly sat down and smiled happily as the singer said something into the microphone and started to strum the cords of her first song on the guitar with the rest of the band.

You would be everything that I want
If I wanted it but I don't
And I won’t be changing my mind
So try to convince me if you can
But you better understand
That I’ve heard all of those little boy lines


She turned her gaze once more to him searching his face, she didn’t quite know what for yet, but there was something about him that called to her in some way. “ So, what made you come up to me that night and use that incredibly lame line? Or was that your friend Angel?” She grinned haughtily when he had the decency to look embarrassed.

“ Ah, I’d rather not say.” He gave her a sideways glance hoping she wouldn’t ask any further. Mentioning Angel just brought the bet to the front of his mind and he didn’t want to think about it now.

She gave him a little playful shove. “ Aww, come on. I had to listen to all those lame lines that night, not to mention many nights before that one from various other guys. I think I deserve some kind of closure on the matter. You know, to put it in the past and all that junk.” Propping herself up on her elbows while leaning back onto the blanket she gave him her conspiratorial look. That one that said ‘do what I want or you’ll really regret it.’

He sighed. “ I was being my usual overly confident self and tried to show Wesley how to get a girl, of course I was also being a smart ass and went for you since I knew he wanted to talk to you.”

She raised her eyebrows in response. “ So, you never really did notice me in the first place, just being petty huh?” She grinned as he scratched the back of his neck looking a little ashamed.

“ Well yes and no. I did notice you, kind of hard not to you’re gorgeous.” He tucked a stray peace of hair behind her ear as she blushed.”

The inside of her head was screaming at her. This is so not of the good! There will be no touching no matter how seemingly innocent! What does he think he’s doing?!’ But the other part of her, the incredibly flattered part, was telling it to shut the hell up.

She blushed, she couldn’t help but notice how that felt so normal by now when she was around him. It was like a sport to him. “ Uh, thanks.”

“ So, why’d you move to Sunnyhell?” He frowned slightly when he saw her visibly shrink back, getting a far off look on her face, he could tell this was a sore subject.

She glanced over at him, she had this overwhelming feeling that she could trust him, and it would feel good to tell someone else instead of keeping it in all the time. You share the happiness, why not share the pain?

“ My mom died.” She watched as his face softened and he took one of her hand in his stroking it with his thumb.

“ I’m sorry.” She just nodded.

“ Yeah, thanks. I used to be quite the little shallow bitch back then, most of the time at least. This one night I needed to get home from the mall and my mom said she would be there on time. When she wasn’t I called her and we had a little argument. Well, actually it was more like me telling her angrily that she was going to make me late for a date and all that crap. The last thing she said to me was that she loved me and I just closed the phone.” She pulled her legs to her chest hugging them, not daring to look at Spike. “ She got hit by a drunk driver while she was on her way to get me, it was all my fault. God I’m such a heartless bitch.”

She tried to hide the tears that flooded to her eyes as if on reflex after reminiscing about that night. A few managed to slip down her cheeks and she knew now that he had seen the tears, her pain, and she didn’t know if she liked it. Didn’t know if she liked people seeing her vulnerable because it left her wide open for anything, and she didn’t need that she had become what she was now to keep from being vulnerable.

Spike patted her back gently, not she what he should do, when she didn’t push him away he scooted closer and took her in his arms as she quietly sniffled. “ You’re not heartless Buffy, and you’re rarely a bitch.” He smiled when that elicited a soft giggle from her.

More seriously, he tilted her chin up to make her look at him. “ It by no means was you fault that she died. It was the fault of the drunk bastard who was driving the other car.”

The tears stopped falling but she never moved away. “ My dad doesn’t seem to agree with you. Ever since that night, it’s like I’ve lost both my parents.” She kept her gaze from his, not wanting to know what she’d see.

“ Well then he’s a bloody moron. It’s not your fault luv, and you shouldn’t feel that way. Your mum wouldn’t want you too, and I bet she’s proud of what you turned out to be.”

She smiled half heartedly. Yeah, Joyce would be very proud of her, taking all daddy has to dish out and not bother to defend herself.

“ You’re beautiful, kind, strong, bloody stubborn you are too, and your amazing. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.” He gave her a comforting hug before she moved away slightly.

“ Thanks.” She looked down at her hands, playing with her fingers. “ Guess I ruined the evening, huh?”

He chuckled. “ Not at all pet. Come on, lets dance.” He stood up and brushed his hands off on his jeans as a slower song came on.

Buffy smiled taking his hand and standing up. She nervously placed her hands around his neck and laid her head on his chest, smiling when he put his hands just a little bit higher on her waist so she would be more comfortable.

This night wasn’t turning out to be so bad, he hadn’t made any lewd remarks, he’d listened to her and he hadn’t made a pass at her once. She pushed the slight disappointment down. She was slowly going crazy. But right here, right now, when they were just dancing comfortably in silence it felt right.
______________________
A/N: The little bit of a song in this chapter was Cheyenne Kimball - Breaking Your Heart.
Chapter 22 by smg fan


Chapter 22



“ So it was that great, huh?” Willow asked over the line, twirling the red cord of her phone around her finger as she listened to her friend intently.

For the past hour, ever since Buffy had come home from her not date with Spike she had been talking about how good it felt to open up to someone besides her (which she had explained was great but it was just different with Spike) and for the past hour the red head had listened with interest trying hard not to say anything. The way she spoke, the simple way her tone took on a more carefree and lightness to it, how she could practically see the smile on her face as she kept talking. About Spike, and not his cousin the complete opposite.

“ Yeah, I mean, I just felt so relaxed talking to him. Willow I trust him and I barely know him. With me that’s huge! I have these walls around me to block people out most of the time because of my past, but it’s like they came down tonight. The feeling was great, like I was free for once.”

The more she listened the more the wheels in her head were turning. It almost sounded like the blonde California brought up girl was falling for the English guy with the rough punk façade. No it sounded like she already had but couldn’t realize it.

“ So you really like him huh?”

There was a short pause on the other end of the line and Willow could practically hear the rapid beating of her friends heart at the innocent question, and yet she knew that Buffy was blind to all of this. Should she say something?

“ Yeah, I do. He’s turning into a really good friend.”

Willow smiled at the statement. Ah how nice it must be to be so naïve about feelings like that.


***

Buffy walked into the school pushing her bubble gum pink sun glasses atop her head and looked around self consciously as she quickly (but not to quickly because she didn’t want to draw anymore attention to herself) to her locker, opening it and taking out a few books.

Ignoring the curious eyes she made her way to her first class and sat down in her seat just after the bell rang. Taking out a book as she waited for the teacher to make an appearance she pretended to be deeply concentrating on it, anything to not talk or look back at everyone who was currently staring at her as they entered the room. It figured that the one day she wanted class to start on time or earlier the teacher was probably grabbing an extra coffee from the lounge before he got to class.

She was so deep in concentrating to ignore everyone that she hadn’t seen platinum blonde until he walked up to her sitting down noisily beside her and tapping her on the shoulder. “ Pet?” He watched frowning as she turned to look at him, wondering if the rumours were true.

She turned to look at him nervously. “ Yeah?”

He brought his hand to her face, gently grazing the angry purple bruise on her cheek with the tips of his fingers and watching as she shrank back slightly. Then he asked the question that she had been dreading was coming. “ What happened?”

Luckily for her the teacher came in the room before she had to answer. Giving him a look hat said ‘later’ she turned away from his frown and looked to the front. Unfortunately the teachers eyes landed on the same mark on her face as she scanned the class. Maybe if she was lucky she’d go on with her lecture without sparing her a second glance like all the other teachers always did.

“ Ms. Summers, are you all right?”

Nope. There it was, that other question she was hoping to evade.

She plastered a convincing, but fake, smile on her face before answering. “ Yeah, I’m good. Just had a little accident.” She said ducking her head shyly to make it more convincing,

She sighed thankfully as the teacher seemed to accept that and go on with her job. She slumped in her seat, glad to have the attention moved away from her. All except the blonde sitting beside her who wasn’t taking her eyes off her.

The truth was that Hank had gotten home early and hadn’t been all that happy that she wasn’t home. Obviously he hadn’t had anyone to yell at in his drunken state to make himself feel better and when she had gotten home he forgot to be discreet about where he hit her and no amount of make up was going to cover the ugly bruise on her cheek. The difference this time however, was that he had thought of telling, or threatening, her to keep her mouth shut about it.

What happened in his house stayed in his house apparently.

As the teacher started her lecture taking all the attention off of her and the unsightly mark adorning her face she slumped comfortably in her seat ignoring the occasional wondering eyes. As well as those that remained glued to her face, the ones that belonged to her newest ‘best friend’.

She looked from the window as a small slip of paper was put in the corner of her desk. Opening it, careful so the teacher wouldn’t see, she read the contents.

‘ What happened, pet?’

There was no need for the name that was written underneath the message in beautiful cursive writing, he was the only one that called her by those pet names. Bringing her book to stand in front of her as a sort of shield she tapped her pen lightly on the surface of the desk. What was she supposed to write back? ‘Gee my dad was just drunk last night and decided to take it out on me. Oh! Don’t worry he’ll be careful not to hit my face next time!’ Yeah right.

‘ It’s nothing, just got lost walking down the hall in the middle of the night for a glass of water and tripped, you’ve seen how huge my house is. Let’s just say the banister isn’t my favourite part of it anymore.’

She finished by putting a small smiley face with it’s tongue sticking out at the end and signed her name slipping it to him effortlessly as the teacher turned her back to the class once again. She gave him her most convincing smile and watched out of the corner of her eye as he read the note and stared at her again. His face clear of any emotion, did he believe her or not?

Ignoring the gnawing in her stomach that he was going to call her on the lie she didn’t realize how tense she was until she saw him look away and loosened up, letting out a quiet breath that she had been holding. Even if did, or didn’t believe her at least he stopped asking her about it and looking at her. For now.
Chapter 23 by smg fan


Chapter 23


Spike sighed as the bell finally rang signalling that class was over. It seemed that class had gone about as fast as the slow motion running scenes in Bay Watch and he hadn’t appreciated that since he wanted to question Buffy more about the mark on her face. She had ridden it off quickly as an ‘accident’ but wasn’t that how most girls were with abuse? Not that he knew for sure weather someone had actually hit her, but her father didn’t seem to be much of a father at all and seemed to have a darker side then he let on.

For a while he thought that maybe he was wrong about it, until the bell rang and she sprinted from the class like the devil himself was on her heels. Buffy was running from him, which in turn meant that she didn’t want to answer any of his questions, and there was no reason not to want to answer questions unless she had something damn important to hide. And he was going to find out just what it was.

***

Buffy sighed once she was in the safety of the girls washroom. Perfume scents mixed with the smell of soap washed over her as she plashed some water on her face ignoring two girls as they left the washroom whispering and trying to conceal that they were in fact, looking at her at all.

Great. All she needed now was rumours and Spike bursting into the girls washroom demanding more answers.

Willow burst into the washroom and locked the door before turning to her friend with worries and serious eyes.

Right. This was some sick cosmic joke. Instead of Spike it was the next worst thing, Willow, current best friend and resident smarty pants. She’d see past the fake façade. Buffy Summers was done. Looking at her friend she gave her the fakest smile she had ever given anyone and it made her cringe internally. “ Hi Wills!”

The read head watched her carefully before approaching. “ Buffy how did you get that bruise on your face?”

Buffy finally sighed. She was tired and wry of the questions. “ If I told you would you honestly believe me?”

Willow took her hand. “ Sweetie of course I would.” There was a pause. “ Did Spike do this to you?”

Buffy burst out laughing. She backed up until she hit the bathroom wall which was now supporting her in the frenzy of laughter while Willow looked on in shock and confusion. Did she really think that Spike was capable of doing that to her? Maybe it was plausible since it was the only current explanation for her bruise to her naïve friend but still… it was just freaking hilarious how she could even consider Spike doing that.

“ No!” She finally said after finally getting her fits of laughter under control. “ Oh god no Willow. He would never do that to me. Did you really think…” She trailed of giving Willow what she hoped was an amused look.

It seemed to have worked because as soon as she saw the look Willow started to giggle a little. “ Yeah, guess that was kind of stupid of me. I mean I’ve known Spike for a while and I know he wouldn’t do that.” She broke out into a full grin and stuck out her elbow to Buffy. “ Come on, we’ve got Xander to meet and I’m sure Wesley is dying to see you too.”

Buffy smiled, gladly taking the offered elbow as they unlocked the door and walked out as a few girls that had been waiting rushed inside. Maybe Willow wasn’t as clairvoyant as she had first assumed. Glad for the current distraction she couldn’t help but smile as second period started and they set of for study hall in the library.

“ I heard Cordelia’s party is tonight, you know the one that she handed the invitations out for, like a month before the actual date? Well anyway, I was thinking, and we still have those invitations…”

Buffy grinned. “ I like the way you think.”

***

Buffy made her way through the party with the glass in her hand, taking a sip now an again. The day hadn’t gone by nearly as badly as she thought it would. Willow had taken her explanation a lot more easily then she thought, Wesley said he had not reason to doubt her and she hadn’t seen Giles so he had no opportunity
to comment on it. Spike was a different story however. She hadn’t seen him that often during the day but when she had, at lunch for example, he hadn’t said much. Just stared at her calmly, his face blank as he thought. It seemed that her story wasn’t flimsy to everyone but Spike.

She wasn’t sure weather it irritated her that he didn’t believe her, made her happy that he saw past the fake story, or terrified her because it meant he knew her better then everyone else. Maybe it was a little bit of everything. Making her way through the club as the lights dimmed for the next song, she stood in the wall of people waiting their turn at the bar. She took a sip of her drink and turned around startled when she felt a pair of strong hands on her shoulders.

“ Lo’, luv.”

She gave him a nervous smile, lowering her hands to her sides. “ Hi Spike. You should learn not to sneak up on people.”

He quirked his head to the side. “ I wanted to talk to you about…something.” He said the last part eyeing some of the surrounding people that he knew who liked to gossip. This was after all, a party with everyone in Sunnydale High attending. Well most anyway.

Buffy sighed in exasperation, she knew he would come back to this. “ Look, I told you what happened, what else do you want to know?” She leaned back against the bar, telling the bar tender who was taking her order to come back in five.

“ I know you were lying.”

She narrowed her eyes angrily, why the hell would he think that she was lying? Given that she was, but she had never given him any reason to think that she would lie to him, some things were just better left alone. “ I wasn’t. Don’t pretend you know more then you do Spike. Just because we spent some time together talking doesn’t mean you know much.” She wasn’t sure why she was so furious with him really, it just seemed to make her angry that someone had been smart enough to catch on to her lie, if Hank found out…

Spike stared at her and then at the glass in her hand. Why was she so angry? He was only trying to help her out. “ Pet, is that alcohol?”

She shook her head. “ Unbelievable. First you accuse me of lying and now you’re accusing me of getting drunk?” She slammed the glass down on the counter forcefully, ignoring the glare the bartender was sending her way. “ No, I wasn’t drinking alcohol. But I think I’m going to start now!” She glared at him before grabbing the half full glass of a girl next to her and downing it. Placing it back on the bar she apologized to the girl in a quiet mumble and stormed off leaving a very confused Spike to stare after her.



Thanks for the reviews guys, I really appriciate the feedback. As you can notice I'm going to start going into the abusive aspect of Buffy's life a little bit more at this point. To clear up some things, I do realize that most of the people were under age and they had beer and this was because of fake ID's. As long as the club gets paid they don't care. Buffy is also acting a little bit irrational, I'm doing this on purpose, I have my reasons. ~ Anna
Chapter 24 by smg fan


.Chapter 24


A shiver rippled down her spine as a soft breeze grazed her bare shoulders. Why was that guy such an incredible pain in the behind? He constantly questioned everything she said, like he knew every little subliminal meaning to everything. Truth was, she wasn’t even all that mad at him. More at herself. She didn’t do anything to stop Hank. She acted so tough around people but the truth was she wasn’t that strong, and then she went and covered up what he did the next morning.

“You ok?”

She looked up to see someone she would have never expected, standing outside with her.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“For what it’s worth, I’m sorry.” She said in a soft voice.

Buffy turned her eyes and looked at Cordelia, trying to decide weather she was being sincere or planning something especially nasty in return. “Why now?”

The brunette shrugged. “I’ve come to realize some things lately, they’ve made me,” She paused for a brief second. “grow up a little.”

“Cordy.”

She turned her eyes to the blonde with a hint of nervousness. “Like the hair cut.”

Cordelia smiled running the tips of her fingers through her recently cut chin length hair. A darkish blonde streak falling in front of her face. “I know it’s my party and all, but want to get out of here?”

“I’d love to.”

***

Buffy lifted the spicy noodles to her mouth with the chopsticks looking thoughtfully at Cordelia. “So what happened?”

It was something she herself couldn’t explain, but that whole evening, since they had walked to Cordelia’s house she had felt completely at ease. Not the same way she did with Willow or Spike but like there was a connection and whatever she said or did, there wasn’t going to be judgment from the other end. How ironic. And there hadn’t been. The brunette hadn’t asked her a single question about why she had been outside upset or about the now fading mark on her face. Just a silent understanding that it wasn’t the time to talk about it.

“I found out one of the truths in life. When you’re rich, not everyone of your friends is truly your friend. Or in my case, no one.”

Buffy nodded lightly. She knew what that was like.

“I can’t really describe how it happened very well, but I was talking to Harm and some of the other girls and a girl, maybe a year younger, walked by and we made our usual remarks.” She poked lightly at her sushi frowning. “Usually I didn’t care how the other person reacted, cast a blind eye to it more or less. But I went into the bathroom ten minutes later to fix my make up and I heard crying. It was the girl we had made fun of. Then later I accidentally overheard Harmony talking to the other girls about me.”

She leaned back on her elbows and looked blankly at the wide screen, some random song was playing on mtv.

“Some of the things they said were really nasty, you know? I don’t know really what did it, or which combination of things did it, but I don’t want to be that girl anymore.”

“Parents getting a divorce huh.”

She turned to look at her with a mixture of curiosity and surprise in her brown eyes. “How’d you know that?”

Buffy smiled. “You said combination of things, as in more then what you said happened at school. So I assumed. It happened to me too you know. We’re very alike.”

“Well, except for me being prettier, more popular, interesting...”

The blonde laughed and threw a noodle. “Bite me!”

“Hey!” A comfortable silence settled over the room. “Well, not popular for long anyways, after Harm gets through with what’s going to be left of my reputation.”

“Popularity is overrated anyways. Been there done that.” She smiled. “When I went to Emry I was popular, money, cars, friends in high places, the works. The whole school was basically under my thumb. It took Joyce getting hit by a drunk driver for me to realize that going to parties and getting drunk, telling people all those nasty things, wasn’t so glamorous or fun after all. Then I came here.”

“Joyce?”

Buffy sighed. “My mom.”


She leaned over and put her hand lightly on Buffy’s knee. “I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, so am I.”

The two of them continued to eat their take out in silence.

***

“Want to see something?” The grin that was directed at her made her smile.

“Sure.”

She followed Cordelia up the stairs to her room and watched as the other girl opened the window, sat on the edge and turned to look back at her. “Come on.”

“Cordelia what are you…” She stopped, watching in fear as she jumped off the third story ledge. Was she absolutely crazy? There was no tree there and she hadn’t see the roof top.

“Are you coming or what?”

Buffy stared at the window in shock, she slowly made her way to it and looked down.

“What are you looking down for I’m up here!” Her eyes sparkled with mischief as she laughed, Buffy’s face a mask of confusion. “Jump down the flat roof of the room below us and climb up the ivy, it’ll hold.”

She rolled her eyes. Why the hell was everyone here so damn into this kind of stuff. “ Why the hell am I climbing up there? What if I’m scared of heights?” That was a lie.

“Well, the view is gorgeous from up here and it’s very comfy, I have it set up from all the other times I come up here.”

Once she reached the top she saw that the view of the whole city, it was depressing how small Sunnyhell really was. It was pretty through, all the lights were on, and she had blankets set up for more comfort, the roof was completely flat.

“I’ve slept up here before, when my parents fight or when I just want some alone time, it’s peaceful.”

“Yeah, it’s pretty.” Her mind wandered off to other places as she sat there looking out over the peaceful city.
_______________________
A/N:Wow haven't updated in a while but I'm back now. If anyone's willing to beta the story I would be *extremely*grateful!
Chapter 25 by smg fan


Chapter 25



Buffy entered the house tiredly. Sighing, although not contentedly, as the familiar scent of cigarettes and alcohol washed over her, making her feel dirty. Going up the stairs she walked into her room to find Hank sitting in a chair by her dresser. A shiver of fear washed down her spine at the familiar scene. She stopped at the doorframe and waited for him to speak.

She didn’t have to wait long. The medium build brunette man stood up, picking up his glass of brandy. The alcohol of choice for the night. “Where have you been?”

Just like a small animal in front of its prey she was careful not to make any quick movements. The smallest things seemed to set him off. “I was with a friend. Cordelia.”

The silence that suddenly overtook the room, doubled with the almost delighted look on Hanks face threw her off guard.

“Cordelia Chase? Daughter of Frederick and Aubrey Chase?” She nodded slowly.

The smile that overtook his face was completely foreign to her. Like the sudden appearance of a large pink flamingo in her room. “That’s great honey.” He walked over to her and stood facing opposite to her in the doorway. He put a hand on her shoulder. “Just don’t screw it up, he’s a business partner.” He punctuated the statement by squeezing her shoulder tightly.

She stood there until he left and closed the door, rubbing her sore shoulder vigorously. Grabbing her white robe she walked into the bathroom that was connected to her room. Stripping her clothes of she turned on the shower and stepped into the hot spray no caring that the deflected droplets were wetting the floor. Closing her eyes she let out a quiet scream of frustration.

Maybe she should just tell someone. Was she doing the wrong thing by keeping the abuse a secret? It would help relieve some of the constant stress and tension that was on her. But even with the knowledge that it would put her mind slightly at ease, could anyone really help her? Hank was one of the most influential people currently residing in Sunnydale. Could anyone truly stop what he was doing or would they just end up getting hurt in the process. No, she was right. If anyone else got involved Hank would just make sure that they didn’t ruin his precious public image and have something bad happen to them. Even if she went to the police, how many connections in the Police did he have?

Groaning as her muscles eased from the tension, she turned of the water and stepped out toweling herself off and slipping into her favorite comfortable lacy black bra and panties. She grabbed another towel drying her hair off as she walked into her bedroom looking at the watch on her dresser. Ten forty-five. Not to bad, she could get some decent sleep tonight. Letting the towel down she turned towards her bed and shortly let out a small but high pitched scream.

“Spike! What the hell are you doing here?”

She watched as he cocked an eyebrow and tilted his head to the side. “Right now? Enjoying the view.”

Buffy looked down and blushed deeply before quickly grabbing the discarded towel and wrapping it around herself. “You know breaking and entering isn’t going to get you on my list of top 5 people I don’t currently despise!”

His demeanor suddenly changed to seriousness. “Look, m’ sorry for earlier ok?” He scratched the back of his neck. “I wasn’t accusing you of drinking or lying I just worry about you, that’s alright isn’t it?”

She loosened the grip on the towel a little bit and her face softened, not smiling but not frowning as a little bit of guilt filled her. “Yeah, that’s fine.” It was quite endearing actually, knowing that he cared.

She was just about to walk to the bed and talk with him when there was a knock on the bedroom door. “Buffy? I need to speak with you for a second.” Blind panic shot through her as she jumped towards the bed and nearly threw Spike off shoving him through the bathroom door. “Wait here. Be absolutely silent!” Before he could replay she closed the door just as Hank walked in.

“Yes?”

He looked around cautiously before turning back to her. “Were you just talking to someone?”

She nodded calmly. “I was talking to Cordelia on speaker phone.” He seemed to accept that nodding before continuing.

“You’re coming with me to a dinner party for an associate of mine tomorrow. Take the credit card.” He threw his credit card onto her bed. “Buy something tasteful. I won’t be happy if it’s slutty.”

She just nodded and watched as he left. Walking to the door after she heard him farther down the hallway she closed it and turned the lock sighing in relief. Walking back towards her bathroom she opened the door and leaned against the doorframe putting one hand on her hip. “What are you doing?”

Spike paused in the middle of closing the cabinet on the wall and smiled sheepishly. “I was bored and curious.”

She just rolled her eyes. “Oi! I was quiet though.”

He followed her into her room and sat on the bed across from her. “So we’re ok?”

She smiled softly at him. “Yeah we’re fine.”

He nodded and stood up. “Right, I’ll just be off then.” He made his way towards the window that he had climbed in and Buffy quickly pulled him back.

“You can’t leave!”

He tilted his head to the side and smirked. “You could always just ask me to stay luv, don’t have to get grabby, unless you want that is.”

She blushed and shook her head. “No, that’s not what I mean. Look out the window.”

He looked and shrugged. “What’s so interesting luv?”

She walked over to the window and pointed to a few cars that were just pulling into the long driveway close to hers. “See those cars, that means the neighbors are having a late night party, which means you can’t leave tonight or someone would see you. They have parties once a week until about 5:30 in the morning.”

He raised his eyebrows, questioning look on his face. “So what do you suggest I do?”

She looked around uncomfortable. “Sleep on the floor?”

“Oh no! No bleedin way that I’m sleeping on the floor like a dog.” He looked at her face. Her nose was scrunched up in the way it usually was when she was about to argue. “Look I’ll sleep on the opposite side of the bed, I promise I won’t do anything, just sleep.”

She seemed to think over this for a minute. “Yeah, ok.”

She watched as he got on the bed, taking off his shoes and shirt. She wasn’t paying any attention to his chest, none, at all. Flicking off the light she walked over to the bed, removed the towel and got under the covers knowing that he hadn’t got another look at her in any lacy under garments. The thought that she was sleeping next to Spike under the covers in her underwear and bra never crossed her mind as a bad thing as her eyes closed and she drifted off to sleep.

***
Spike turned on his side lightly, trying not to wake up the girl sleeping next to him. She was turned facing him, her eyes closed and her breathing slow and steady. Soft strands of delicate golden hair falling over the side of her face as she slept, the silk bed sheets barely covering her figure. He dared to lightly graze her bare shoulder, getting a soft mumbling from her. She was perfect. Seeing her almost bare earlier had been a complete accident, but not one he’d likely soon forget. Then her silhouette as she got into bed not bothering to put much more on. He smiled, never imagining he’d be sleeping so close to her, let alone on her bed and have it be so perfectly simple. It felt nice.
Chapter 26 by smg fan
Author's Notes:
I had a chance recently to catch up on some of my reading and just have me time so I'm updating this story fairly regularly having more ideas and inspiration. I also changed the summary, shortened it in a way. Hopefully you guys are still enjoying the story! :)


Chapter 26


The warm sunlight streaming through her open window warmed her face, her hair emanating a soft glow. There was a reason, one she had yet to figure out in her state of drowsiness, that she was so completely comfortable. Especially in this house, its cold and eerie atmosphere enough to make her go temporarily insane, if it wasn’t for the intervals in time when she wasn’t there, but enjoying herself. At least to the extent that she allowed herself. Maybe it was the fact that she had gotten a few things of her mind from the confrontation earlier in the evening yesterday, with her new found…ally? Friend? Or maybe it was just the fact that her body was relieved of the stress it had been put under lately with the bruises and tension gone. For the time being.

She rolled over onto her stomach, her face now turned towards the window. That’s when she became aware of two interesting things as the fogginess in her brain started to wear off. One, the sunlight that had been completely covering her face as she lay on her back was only partially on her face now. Two, the thing that was blocking the rest of that sunlight was large and leaning against her side lightly. Although, in a strange way it seemed to comfort her. Opening her eyes slowly to let them adjust to the sudden brightness of the room as well as being awake, she brushed away the few strands of hair that had fallen onto her face and over her eyes when she had rolled over, getting rid of the obstruction of vision. The sight that she was met with both comforted her and then confused and scared her just for that fact that it was comforting.

Spike was lying on his side, facing her. His eyes closed mouth slightly ajar as he let out slow shallow breaths, his hair tousled from turning in his sleep all night, in an unfamiliar bed. Even thought his brain subconsciously knew this she couldn’t help but notice how relaxed and peaceful he seemed. Except for the few brief moments this morning, she didn’t remember the last time she had slept like that, when she was still in L.A, with Joyce? She wasn’t sure. Mesmerized in watching his sleeping form her eyes traveled over the contours of his face, the way it was more relaxed as he slept, a brief glimpse of how vulnerable he really was. Maybe that was partially what had comforted her, the fact that someone else was just as vulnerable as she was. Her gaze slowly traveled down to his mouth and then slowly to his chest, her breathing slowed, subconsciously moving along to his inhaling and exhaling. His chest slowly rising up and back down, his figure ever pronounced in the morning light. It was…hard to describe. But something about the scene made her feel content. That terrified her.

“Morning, pet.” The soft rumble of his chest causing her eyes to dart to his face, to his eyes. He was staring at her with an intense but still gentle gaze, eyes locked with hers.

She looked away for a second and pulled up the covers more to cover her overly exposed body, suddenly feeling self conscious and cursing herself for not wearing more to bed the night before. “Hi.” What now?

He seemed to sense her level of comfort slowly dispelling itself and answered the questions. Slowly getting out of bed he grabbed his shirt and boots, putting them on and uncomfortably scratching the back of his neck. A sign that he was nervous about something. “I’ll let you get dressed now pet. Do you think it’d be ok to wait for you downstairs, maybe make some breakfast or is you da’ still home?”

The blonde looked up slowly, turning her eyes to the door and back to his face, pondering the question. “I think its ok, I’m pretty sure he’s gone to work already, he usually leaves around six in the morning.” They both glanced at the bedside clock. Seven forty-eight. He nodded and turned to leave; walking out of the room he slowly closed the door leaving the room in a calm silence. She didn’t know what, or how. But something important had changed between them. Something….important.

___

Spike walked down the stairs slowly, his feet barely making a sound as they touched the carpeted stairs. Even if her dad usually left earlier, he wasn’t going to take any chances. Shit happens. He cursed as he set his foot on the landing and the wooden floor underneath made a soft squeak. Bloody old houses. He looked at the spot beside the front door where he had noticed the first time he’d come there, that Hank’s briefcase and shoes had been resting. They weren’t there.

Now feeling more relieved he walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge. Breakfast wasn’t necessarily his forte but he knew well enough how to cook, he had to feed himself somehow, especially if he was off to University next year. Old Rupes had taught him a few things here and there when he had thought Spike hadn’t been paying attention. Turning to the task ahead he looked at the contents in the fridge, noting that there were at least four bottles of different types of alcohol, one half empty. Frowning he chose to ignore it for the moment and pulled out some eggs and bacon, along with a few vegetables.

Searching through the drawers he let out a satisfactory ‘aha!’ when he came across the needed tools. Setting the frying pan on the heated burner he turned to the small radio in the middle of the kitchen island and turned the music up, cracking a few eggs into the pan and setting the back into a smaller one, watching as it started to sizzle. All distractions aside he started to think about the morning, waking up next the blonde currently showering upstairs. He wondered if she had felt it too, the contentedness that came with waking up next to the other. There was no need to talk, just lay there still. He was slightly surprised by that, the fact that neither one of them had felt the need nor urge to say something snarky or annoying to break to mood that had taken over the room. There was no banter exchanged. He had stayed up last night; he wasn’t sure how long he’d lost track of time. Just looking at her sleep, her stomach rising and falling under the blue silk sheets as she slept comfortably, when she had rolled towards him and even rested her head against his chest he had the urge to kiss her forehead tenderly, something he’d never admit to anyone. He was falling for Buffy Anne Summers. And nothing was going to stop it or slow it down. He wasn’t sure he wanted it to either.

The bacon spat some hot oil onto his arm angrily making him come back to his senses ad flip it again. Having turned off the burner for the omelets. “Mmm, smells great.”

He turned around smiling at her. Her shiny wet hair pulled back into a high ponytail. Pouty lips covered in a light layer of lip gloss, everything else left to look natural. He didn’t get that, how did she manage to eat without removing the lip gloss? “Living with Rupes you tend to pick up a few things weather he notices or not.” Pulling out some plates, after a few minutes of searching of course, he set the food out for both of them.

After a few moments of silence she looked up, the music still quietly playing. “Thanks.”

He turned to look at her, confused as to the sudden gratitude directed at him, what had he done? “What for, luv?” He watched as she pushed the food on her plate around a bit obviously trying to figure out how to explain what she had said, her forehead and nose slightly scrunched.

“For caring.”
__________________
Yes I'm back to updating, now that I have all my ideas pretty much developed for this story I think I'll be updating until I finish the story, probably regularly. Please don't be impatient with the development of the spuffiness, I prefer to take my time, it makes it so much better later one :) Please review.
Chapter 27 by smg fan


Chapter 27


The ride to the school was made in relative silence, a comfortable almost shy silence. It was odd to describe Spike as shy in any way. He always had a sense of cocky confidence around him, almost arrogant. But he seemed to know, most times, when to turn it down. So even now as she sat quietly at the back of the class by the windows she was having a hard time concentrating on the lecture, her focus on what had changed between the two of them. As the clock ticked by the minutes she grabbed a piece of paper and wrote down a short note, slipping it in Cordelia’s locker as she made her way to the cafeteria.

Seeing a red head bobbing and weaving through the crowd of people she smiled. Willow the energizer bunny. “Buffy, over here!” She waved at the amused blonde.

“Any particular reason why you had more then your daily allowance of sugar, caffeine, etcetera, so on so forth?”

She ducked her head blushing. She was just an enthusiastic person by nature, over the years some people just weren’t able to deal with it but she didn’t mind. Always the bright side of things. “Just natural adrenaline as usual. Although I do remember a vague promise from Xander about some glazed donuts later.” God knows everyone needs a bright side once in a while.

Sitting down with the group. Which currently consisted of Willow, Xander, Spike, and Wesley she frowned curiously as everyone seemed to quiet down for a moment. Confused expressions on their faces. Definitely unusual for the group.

“Hi guys.”

She turned around to see Cordelia standing behind her at the table.

“Shouldn’t you be, I don’t know, giving people fashion advice in the not so discrete form of put downs?” Buffy turned around to face Xander, restraining her glare as she gave him a stern look.

“It’s ok sit down Cordy. I’m sure Xander didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Yes I ─ Ow!” A swift kick from Buffy under the table seemed to get him to close his mouth.

“Guys, be nice. Cordelia’s turning over a new leaf so to speak. She’s not here to bitch so I don’t expect you to either.” She watched their reactions. Everyone, for the most part, keeping their mouths shut. And Cordelia’s grateful one at the fact she hadn’t mentioned her parents fighting.

“Welcome to the group luv.” Spike was the first to speak, although something about the way he sent a charming smile Cordelia’s way and winked made her feel uneasy. But she couldn’t quite put her finger on it.

Wesley adjusted his glasses. Yes, err, quite.” Boy did he ever sound like Giles. The thought made Buffy scrunch up her nose in disgust. Eew, bad thoughts, he’s definitely not like Giles there for; she is not dating her father like teacher.

Cordelia smiled and looked at Buffy, still slightly uneasy. “I got your note. Sure I’d love to, got nothing else to do and I think dads making me go to that to.”

Wesley raised his eyebrows questioningly. “Where are you two off to?”

She blushed. “My dads making me go to some fancy party with him and Cordelia has to go too so we’re just going out to pick up some dresses for the party. No choice.”

“Yeah, it’s for some charity cause or something and obviously our fathers are going because they can’t not look good in the public eye. Sometimes being the daughter of a stuck up businessman sucks.” Cordelia ran her fingers through her new short hair as everyone gazed at her skeptically except for Buffy who smiled at her in agreement and another pair of eyes that lingered on the way she was playing with her hair.

_____

Buffy scrutinized her reflection in the full length mirror in front of her. The floor length strapless gown hanging off her figure perfectly as if the dress itself was made for her. But she couldn’t see it. Her fingers grazed the blue silk of the dress, over the rhinestones in the middle and she frowned. Was this appropriate for the fancy social gathering? Would Hank approve? Her frown deepened. Her hair was down but slightly separated to form a different texture then usual and her makeup was a little darker around the eyes, but not too much. She didn’t like it. It reminded her to much of what color a dark bruise was. A shiver went down her spine. She hoped it was ok. The only thing she was looking forward to this evening was Cordelia keeping her company. Tucking a lose strand of hair behind hear ear she grabbed her heels and went downstairs.

PICTURE

Upon reaching the landing her eyes shifted their focus from the worn carpet to Hanks face, quietly waiting for his approval, or objection. A quiet grunt and a once over told her it was fine and she let out the breath she hadn’t noticed she’d even been holding.

“Get in the car, I don’t want to be late to this it would look bad.”

Compliantly she slipped into the passenger seat of the car.

_____

“Come on, lets get a drink.” The brunette ushered Buffy to the waiter hanging out the flutes of wine and flashed him a dazzling smile. Giggling as they walked away. “He was kinda cute.”

Buffy grinned. “Definitely.” As soon as she had entered the large hall she felt her comfort level go to an all time low, heading for Cordelia as soon as she saw her arrive. Her dress, definitely something Hank wouldn’t have approved had his own daughter been wearing it, was a strappy black number that clung to all of Cordelia’s curves. Ending just below her knees in different lengths. Sexy, but still classy enough for the occasion. She was starting to feel closer to the other girl as the time passed.

They had spent the beginning portion of the evening dancing with important businessman (more like tyrants, Buffy thought) on the huge ballroom dance floor at their father’s requests. In Buffy’s case, demands. “I don’t know about you but my feet are killing me.”

“At least we have an excuse not to dance.” Grabbing her shawl from the chair she quickly excused herself from the room and headed for the Balcony. She hated parties.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

She turned to look at Hank who was obviously angry about something. “I don’t...I don’t understand.”

He simply rolled his eyes and grabbed her arm as if reprimanding a child. “I told you to dance with the businessman I didn’t tell you to act like a little slut!”

Her eyes went wide. “What, I didn’t, I ─”

He squeezed her arm tighter effectively silencing her. “I don’t want to see you acting like a whore again. Or there will be consequences. Do you understand?”

She nodded weakly. Rubbing her arms as he left to go back inside, even though it wasn’t cold outside. Walking back in she grabbed another flute of wine as someone tapped her on the shoulder.

“Hello gorgeous.”
____________________
I hope this chapter was ok, I know it was a little short but there's a lot more talking in the next chapter and things are going to start getting twisted (plot wise) in the next few chapters. By the way, excuse my poor photoshop job, I'm usualy much better but it was really late and I was completely exhauseted.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=17723