How Soon is Now? by Riahannon
Summary: At a loss at what to do with his daughter, Hank Summers sends Buffy to live with her mother in the small town of Sunnydale away from any trouble. There, Buffy struggles to forget her past, meet new friends and start over. And who just happens to be the boy in the bedroom next door? *Nominated at Love's Last Glimpse Awards for Best WIP, Best Fanasty and Best Angst--thanks!*
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 79055 Read: 37132 Published: 03/30/2006 Updated: 07/08/2007

1. Welcome by Riahannon

2. Dinner Awkwardness by Riahannon

3. Understand by Riahannon

4. Newly Blonde by Riahannon

5. School Day Part 1 by Riahannon

6. School Day Part 2 by Riahannon

7. Tell Me by Riahannon

8. The Bronze by Riahannon

9. Race You by Riahannon

10. Agreement by Riahannon

11. Say It by Riahannon

12. Hidden by Riahannon

13. Celebration by Riahannon

14. Asking by Riahannon

15. Secrets by Riahannon

16. The Rules of Friendship by Riahannon

17. Anticipation--Not! by Riahannon

18. Confinement by Riahannon

19. Confinement Part II by Riahannon

20. Avoidance by Riahannon

21. A Lesson in Responsibility by Riahannon

22. Getting Along by Riahannon

23. Trick or Treat Part I by Riahannon

24. Trick or Treat Part II by Riahannon

25. Crash by Riahannon

26. Confused and Bemused by Riahannon

27. Torn by Riahannon

28. Surrender by Riahannon

29. New by Riahannon

30. Thankful by Riahannon

31. Limit by Riahannon

32. Thin Line by Riahannon

33. After by Riahannon

34. Gray by Riahannon

35. Faithful by Riahannon

Welcome by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
it's my new story! hope you all like! Updates might be a little slow to begin with but they'll pick up.
A/N: The title comes from the song ‘How Soon is Now?’ by 'The Smiths'. This is an all-human, high-school fic. Also, it deals with a relationship between two teens whose parents are dating and living together.
Chapter 1: Welcome

Tiny.

That was the first word that flitted through Buffy Summers’s mind as she watched the scenery out the car window. She was catching her first glimpse of Sunnydale, her future home.

“So,” her mother, Joyce Summers, spoke as her voice broke through the silence, “what do you think?”

Buffy’s gaze never left the window. “It’s nice,” she answered noncommittally.

Joyce sighed, completely at lost at how to break through her daughter’s distance.

Ever since her and Hank’s divorce, Buffy had detached herself from both parents. When Joyce had announced she was moving to the small town of Sunnydale a few hours south of LA, Buffy chose to remain with her father. That choice had hurt Joyce deeply, but, in respect for her daughter’s wishes, she never vocalized her pain.

Then a month ago, Joyce received a call from her ex-husband saying Buffy had become unstable and he wanted her out of LA. Her destructive behavior had thrown Hank and he had no idea of what to do with his delinquent daughter.

Joyce went to pick Buffy up from the bus station and expected to see her bubbly, if angry, daughter with long blonde hair and clothed in the latest fashions. But when Buffy stepped off the bus, Joyce was astonished at the drastic difference.

Gone was the long hair. Instead it was messily cut short and with fading streaks of red and black. Her clothes were darker as well as her makeup. Buffy was clearly a different girl and Joyce had no idea how to relate to her, talk to her, and for the most part, Buffy was resisting any small talk Joyce attempted.

“Over there is the high school. We’ll get you registered tomorrow and hopefully by Monday you can start,” Joyce explained, trying to sound cheerful.

Buffy pushed her oversized sunglasses further up and continued to study her surroundings as her mother babbled on about the high school. She watched as the scenery changed from shops to homes and soon Joyce pulled up into the driveway of a modest but homey house.

Buffy grabbed her backpack and hoisted herself out of the Jeep, eyeing the house in front of her. There was another car, older than the Jeep, in the garage that Buffy assumed was her mother’s boyfriend’s car, Randal Giles or something like that.

“Oh,” Joyce said sounding surprised, “Rupert’s home.” She walked around to the trunk and popped it open, pulling out one of Buffy’s many suitcases.

Right, Buffy thought absently, Rupert not Randal. She started up the walkway when Joyce called, “Buffy, come through the garage door, it is open.”

Buffy made her way over to the garage door, waiting patiently for Joyce to it. However, a man opened it instead.

“Hello Joyce,” the older man placed a kiss on Joyce’s cheek and then turned to Buffy.

“You must be Buffy. I’m, erm, Rupert Giles, or Giles as many of the students call me,” Giles introduced himself, holding out his hand.

Buffy hesitantly shook the man’s hand before dropping it. “Cool,” she said flatly. Her gaze swept over the foyer, taking in the decor. It was homey and quaint, nothing like her home in LA.

Giles studied the young woman before him. Her face was expressionless; her motions slow and detached. Most girls her age, Giles surmised, would be outwardly insolent about changing schools and moving away from home but Buffy didn’t seem to care either way.

“Rupert is the high school librarian.” Joyce supplied, “If you need any help, he’d be happy to show you around.”

“Or William will,” Giles added with a genial smile.

Buffy frowned, “William?” She vaguely remembered hearing the name, but couldn’t place it.

“My son,” Giles clarified, frowning slightly. “Didn’t Joyce tell you? He’s a senior at Sunnydale High.”

“Yeah,” Buffy glanced at her mother, “Mom told me, I guess I just forgot.”

“Understandable,” Giles said kindly and motioned out the door, “Shall we get the rest of your luggage?”

Buffy nodded, trying to relax despite the foreign surroundings. Her mother, however, stopped her. “Buffy why don’t you go lay down? You look exhausted. Rupert and I will bring the bags in and we’ll bring them up later. It’s the room on the right at the top of the stairs.”

Surprised at how tired she really was, Buffy nodded in agreement and mumbled a ‘thanks' before trudging up the stairs. She yawned loudly, trying to remember which room was hers. Was it the room on the left or right? Buffy bit her lip and chose the room to her left.

Her eyelids felt heavy and Buffy stumbled onto the bed, not even removing her shoes or snuggling under the covers before drifting off into a deep sleep.

******************

Something was poking her, was Buffy’s first coherent thought.

She frowned and shifted away from the poking-thing, but it kept prodding her. Annoyed, Buffy’s eyes snapped open and met a pair of deep azure eyes staring down at her. She blinked and rubbed her eyes, feeling disoriented. Right, she recalled, she was at her new house in Sunnydale.

Her gaze drifted back up to the eyes staring down at her. They belonged to one of the most interesting faces Buffy had ever seen and the face was decidedly not unattractive.

Until he opened his mouth.

“Do I know you?” Mr. Blue Eyes drawled.

Buffy blinked and sat up slowly, wiping away any sleep-drool from her mouth.
“I’m Buffy. Buffy Summers, Joyce’s daughter and you’re,” she paused, realization dawning on her. “You’re William, Mr.-uh-Giles’s son.”

The icy eyes remained passive. “Spike,” he said shortly.

Buffy looked up at him in confusion, “Huh?”

“Name is Spike and the bed you’re sleeping on is mine. In fact, Sleeping Beauty, the whole room is mine so why don’t you toddle off elsewhere.”

Buffy hated the way he talked to her as if she was an inferior, making her feel small and stupid with his rude comments. She stood up, her chin titled defiantly. “Well Spike, you’re in my way.”

Spike moved aside and mockingly gestured with both hands to the door. With a huff, Buffy stalked out the door, being sure to close the door of her actual room with a hard slam.

Spike stayed rooted in his spot and tilted his head, watching the tiny girl stomp out of his room. Well, he thought with a touch of amusement, that was interesting.
Dinner Awkwardness by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
Thanks to all the reviews and thanks to my beta-you rock!
By the way, updates will be kinda slow with this story, sorry about that.
Chapter 2: Dinner Awkwardness


Inside her new room, Buffy was stretched out on her bed, headphones on, listening to her music at full blast. She was still seething from Spike’s rudeness. And now she’d be living with him, indefinitely.

She sighed loudly and flipped onto her back, staring up at the white ceiling. A part of her wanted this move. She was so tired of LA, of all the bad memories, but another part of her was annoyed and hurt that her father wanted nothing to do with her.

And then there was her mother. Buffy hadn’t spoken to her, except for brief phone conversations less than once a month, since the divorce. Joyce had quickly moved to Sunnydale within a couple months of the divorce. She’d offered a place there for Buffy, but at the time Buffy didn’t want to leave her life in LA. Now she had no idea what to say to her mother, in just a year they were both very different people than before.

There was a timid knock on the door. “Buffy?”

Buffy sat up, pushing her headphones off. “Yeah?”

Joyce opened the door a crack. “We’re having dinner now, but if you’re still tired…”

“No,” Buffy stood up and set her CD player on her bed. “Actually, I’m kinda hungry.”

Joyce gave her a brief smile and led her daughter down the stairs, seating herself in her usual spot.

Buffy immediately sat down in the empty seat across from Spike, making sure she didn’t make any eye contact with him. His words were still freshly imprinted in her mind.

Several dishes were passed around and Buffy took a little of each. Giles and her mother were talking about something, Buffy wasn’t quite sure what. Now she wasn’t hungry any more. Just listening to the couple talking animatedly about their day with Spike’s occasional comments made her feel so removed from them. They’d grown together as a family and Buffy hadn’t been there to be a part of it.

She quietly pushed her food around her plate, feeling awkward. She took a small bit of her peas before glancing up at Spike, surprised to see he was staring at her. Startled, her eyes widened and then she gave him a glare, annoyed.

Spike just smirked at her look, taking the opportunity to study the girl before him. Her hair, which was relatively short, the ends grazing her collarbone, was dyed black and red. Ironically enough, his two favorite colors.

Her eyes were dark and sparked with anger, her nose quirky, and her lips red and shiny. The kind of lips that he liked to kiss. The thought entered Spike’s mind, unbidden, and he pushed it away.

With a glance at the clock, he grimaced, realizing he had to pick his girlfriend up in ten minutes. Spike wolfed down his food and gulped his water and stood up, setting his napkin on his plate.

“Good food Joyce,” he complimented then snuck another glance at the clock. “Gotta go, I promised Harm I’d pick her up at 7:00; we’re going to Cordy’s party.”

Joyce and his father exchanged a look and then glanced Buffy’s way. “Why don’t you take Buffy with you?” Giles suggested. “I’m sure she’d love to meet her fellow classmates before she starts school.”

Buffy winced at the pity offer and her eyes reluctantly slid to Spike who looked like he was trying to keep his face neutral.

Not wanting to be humiliated, Buffy yawned loudly. “Oh, no that’s okay I’m kinda tired anyway.”

A look of relief flickered across Spike’s features and without another word to Buffy; he swept out of the house, the door slamming hard rattling the house.

Joyce studied her daughter as she continued to push her uneaten food around. “Are you sure you don’t want to go?”

Buffy nodded quickly. “Yeah, I’m still tired. Where do I put this?” She motioned to her plate.

Joyce shook her head. “Nonsense, it’s your first night here. Watch some TV or something. I’ll get the dishes.” She moved to collect the dishes, Giles following suit.

“Are you sure?” Buffy asked, shoving her hands in her jean pockets.

Joyce waved her off. “I’m positive, go relax.”

Buffy hesitantly walked into the living room and spotted the TV. It wasn’t particularly big, unlike her TV in LA, but it did have cable.

She tried to relax, leaning back on the couch, and focus on the show. Her interest only lasted for an hour before she just left the TV for noise. She watched the screen blankly, her mind millions of miles away. Soon, her eyes felt heavy and she closed them, just for a second…


“Come on, B. I have it on good authority that there’re going to be some smokin’ hot guys at the party tonight.”

“I don’t know…”

“Trust me, B. Have I ever let you down?”



“Buffy? Buffy, wake up,” Joyce shook her sleeping daughter gently on the shoulder.

The dark-haired teen blinked and sat up slowly, looking confused.

Joyce gave her a small smile. “You fell asleep on the couch. I wasn’t going to wake you but then I remembered the comfy couch isn’t exactly…comfy.”

Buffy gave her mother a weak smile. “Thanks. I’ll just head upstairs.” She quickly maneuvered around Joyce, avoiding her quizzical look.

At the top of the stairs, Buffy looked down at her hands to see them trembling slightly. She hurriedly entered her room, shutting the door and collapsing on her bed.

She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out the lingering memories. It had felt so real, like she was back there at the party meeting the man of her dreams. She inhaled deeply, ignoring the way her eyes were burning with unshed tears. They were pointless, she told herself, crawling back into bed. He was gone and…it, he or she, was gone too.

Hours later, Buffy woke, her eyelashes stuck together by her dried traitorous tears, as her bladder urged her to get up and use the bathroom. With a grumble, she jammed her feet into her fluffy black slippers and opened her bedroom door.

As soon as she reached for the bathroom door, it swung open revealing a very wet Spike.

Buffy winced as the bright light hit her eyes. “Ugh,” she mumbled, stumbling backwards.

“Watch it,” Spike snarled, his voice sounding nasally. She glanced up to see his eye was swollen shut and the cartilage of his nose severely bruised.

“What happened to you?” Buffy blurted out, frowning at his marred face.

“What’s it look like?” he snapped. “Got in a fight.”

“Oh,” was all Buffy said in response. Her gaze drifted downward to his bare chest; the defined lines of his abs, watching the droplets of water trickle down, down to what was covered up by the towel.

When she finally managed to drag her eyes back up to his face, his eyes were a stormy dark blue, his jaw set. She could feel her own face growing warm and she prayed it wasn’t turning bright red.

“You gonna move?” Spike finally asked, his eyebrow cocked questioningly.

“Uh,” Buffy stuttered, feeling ridiculous. “I need to use the bathroom.”

Spike just moved out of her way and headed into his room, slamming the door with no care of time.

Buffy quickly did her business and went back into her room but not without glancing at Spike’s closed door.
Understand by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the great reviews and sorry for all the mystery with Buffy, you'll find out soon enough. Thanks to my beta! Couldn't do it without her.
Chapter 3: Understanding



“Class cutting, fights in school…” the weasel-like principal slammed Buffy’s file shut, “Tell me again why I should allow a delinquent like Ms. Summers into our fine institution?”

Buffy inwardly grimaced as Principal Snyder read off her permanent record. God, had she really done all of that?

“Mr. Snyder,” Joyce began in a crisp tone, “I believe a large part of an educator’s responsibility is to provide second chances for students, obviously you disagree; however, I’m fully prepared to take this to the school board.”

Snyder’s beady eyes narrowed and after a pause he said reluctantly, “I’ll consider it.”

Joyce stood up, grabbing her purse and gave him a terse, “Thank you” and exited the office, her head high.

Buffy followed, moving slowly and avoided meeting her mother’s eye. The hallways were nearly empty and for that Buffy was thankful.

They walked out to the car and Joyce unlocked the door, sliding into the driver’s seat. Buffy sat in the passenger seat, tugging on the long sleeve of her black shirt.

Joyce exhaled loudly and slumped in her seat. “God, that man is a rat. You wouldn’t believe how many times he’s tried to fire Rupert for defending a student. He’s just awful.”

Buffy didn’t reply, staring out the window. Her mind was stuck on what Snyder had said. Delinquent. Buffy had never really thought of it that way until her father had point-blank told her he couldn’t have her in his house.

At first it’d been about being free. Her cousin Faith had moved in with the Summers’ shortly after the divorce and Buffy had been reeling from the separation. At the time, Faith’s suggestion of partying and letting loose seemed like a good idea. She’d changed from the peppy cheerleader to a Faith look-a-like; anything to escape from the life that was spinning out of her control.

Joyce mistook Buffy’s silence for concern. “Don’t worry,” she reassured her daughter. “Even if we can’t get you into Sunnydale High we can look at St. Anne’s or another private school near by.”

Buffy nodded absently. “Good.”

Joyce studied her for a second before pulling out of the parking lot and driving home.
As soon as she walked into the house, Joyce went upstairs to change for work. Buffy sat on the couch and flipped on the TV for something to focus on.

Fifteen minutes later, Joyce came down while putting her gold earrings on. “There’s food in the fridge if you get hungry. Spike should be home around 3:00. Rupert and I have are going out to dinner tonight with some friends. Will you and Spike be okay here?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, no problem.” So long as she avoided the annoying pest, she mentally added.

“Good,” Joyce replied, grabbing her purse. She was almost out the door when Buffy called out, “Mom, wait.”

Joyce turned around, walking back into the living room. “Yes?”

“I’m sorry,” Buffy said, looking down at her hands. “About the whole school thing.”

Joyce let out a small sigh and sat down next to Buffy. “I won’t lie to you Buffy, this does complicate things but we’ll find a school for you.”

“Okay,” Buffy replied quietly.

Joyce continued, “I know the last year has been hard on you and that you fell into a bad patch. But we’ll work through this, okay?”

A small dam broke inside Buffy. “I just want to start over,” her voice wavered slightly.

For the first time since her daughter had arrived, Joyce enfolded her into a hug. “I know. I want that for you too.”

They sat there for a minute, just holding on, and Buffy thought maybe she really could start over. Sunnydale was her chance to shake off the past year and move forward.

Joyce pulled back reluctantly. “I wish I could stay but I have to go to the gallery.”

“No problem,” Buffy answered easily as her mother stood up and headed out the door.

Buffy turned around, watching her mother open the door. “And mom,” she paused, “Thanks.”

Joyce gave her a warm smile. “I’ll see you later.”

****************************************

Buffy sighed loudly and glared at the clock. The day seemed to be moving at an impossibly slow rate. She might not like school but having absolutely nothing to do except watch TV wasn’t exactly high on her fun list.

And it wasn’t like she where anything about Sunnydale so she couldn’t go out. That left watching another episode of Jerry Springer.

After the show ended Buffy finally clicked the TV off. There were only so many fistfights between the slutty daughter and angry mother she could take. She trudged upstairs and inched into bed and rested her eyes.

Crash

Buffy eye’s snapped open and she sat up quickly. Oh my god, she thought frantically, there was someone in the house. Hesitantly, she opened her bedroom door, peering through the crack.

She could hear faint noises, almost like…moans. What the…? Buffy edged out of her room, her steps wary.

Then she heard another muffled moan and someone bumped into the wall. Suddenly, Buffy’s stomach turned. If it wasn’t a thief, which she now doubted thanks to the noises, then maybe it was…ugh, the concept was too horrible to think about.

She tip-toed down the stairs and entered the living room slowly. The sight that greeted her almost made her gag. Two bodies were on the couch, making out. And one of them had almost white blonde hair. Spike.

Buffy cleared her throat loudly and the pair sprang apart as if they’d been burned.

Spike took one look at the girl standing in front of him and swore, “Bloody hell.”

Spike’s make-out partner scrunched her face. “Spikey, who’s this?”

Buffy gave the blonde girl a disdainful look. She reminded Buffy of herself two years ago only ten times stupider.

“I’m Buffy and you must be Spike’s girlfriend,” Buffy said sarcastically.

“This is Harmony,” Spike interjected, rubbing a hand over his face. “Bloody hell I didn’t know anyone was home.”

“Apparently not,” Buffy replied, casting Harmony another look as the blonde began tugging on her disheveled barely-there skirt.

Spike turned to his girlfriend and sighed. “Harm, I’ll call you later.”

The blonde girl gave Buffy a glare as if it were all her fault. “Fine,” she huffed grabbing her bag and exiting the house, slamming the door.

Spike and Buffy stood there awkwardly. “Well,” Buffy ventured, “she sure seems…nice.”

Spike slumped back into the couch. “Yeah, she’s a bloody saint,” he muttered.

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “Not exactly the reaction most people have at the thought of their significant other.”

Spike scoffed. “Harmony? Significant? Maybe to half the football team.”

“And you’re dating her?” Buffy asked incredulously.

Spike shrugged. “Not exactly datin’, more like…hanging out.”

Buffy laughed, crossing her arms and giving him a knowing look. “Ah, got it.”

“What?” Spike snapped, glaring at Buffy as she sat down next to him.

“She’s convenient, right?” Buffy asked rhetorically. “All the fun of dating but no strings attached.”

Spike’s glare turned deadly. “I never said that.”

“You didn’t have to,” was Buffy’s simple reply.

Spike stood up, seething. “Who the hell are you to judge me? You come here after getting kicked out of daddy’s house and mope around like it’s the bleedin’ end of the world. Why the fuck should I listen to you?”

Buffy jumped to her feet, her face inches from his. “Don’t,” she hissed, “talk about things you won’t ever understand.”

Spike tilted his head, his clenching and unclenching his jaw. “You’re a spoiled brat, you know that? Joyce would have done anything for you and instead you decided to stay with cheatin’ father.”

Buffy met his gaze squarely, “Get out of my face.”

“Gladly,” Spike retorted and raced out the door, shutting it so hard the whole house rattled.

Buffy stood, rooted in her spot and inhaled deeply. His words had cut her deeply, even if he didn’t know it. It was true, she’d been so mad at her mother for leaving her all alone she selfishly turned down the offer to live with Joyce just to get back at her. Buffy had pretended that her friends and cheerleading were too important for her to leave but in reality they didn’t matter.

She ran her hand through her dark shorn locks, trying not to feel bad about what she’d said to Spike. He’d been an asshole but whom he dated wasn’t really her business.
Right, a tiny voice piped up, and you weren’t jealous at all.
Newly Blonde by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
see end of chapter
thanks to reviewers/readers and thanks to my beta!
Chapter 4: Newly Blonde


Who does the bint think she is? Spike thought angrily as he pulled out of driveway, speeding down Revello drive.

She was infuriating, judgmental, bitchy, bratty, intriguing, sexy—no not sexy, he reprimanded himself.

This was ridiculous, Spike thought with a bitter laugh. Why was he getting all worked up over some bint in his house who seemed to spend all of her time locked away in her room?

Spike dug around for his cell phone, the dreaded contraption his dad insisted on him having in the car, and clumsily dialed his friend’s number.

“Hello?”

“Gunn, you doin’ anything?” Spike asked.

“No, why?”

“Meet me at the gym, I need to blow of some steam,” Spike replied.

“Sure, man,” Gunn paused, “What about Harmony? I thought you two were hangin’ out at your house.”

“Change of plans,” Spike answered shortly.

********************************

“Wait, so who is she?” Gunn asked as Spike pummeled the punching bag he was holding.

“Joyce’s daughter, Buffy. She moved here a couple days ago,” Spike answered between punches.

“And I take it you don’t like her,” Gunn deduced.

“God no,” Spike answered with a punch. “She’s an infuriating bitch.”

“Uh-huh,” Gunn replied, unconvinced.

“What?” Spike demanded.

“Nothin’. You just seem awfully mad about one girl.”

“Yeah, well, she pissed me off,” Spike snapped and Gunn studied his friend for a moment before breaking out in a smirk.

“She’s hot isn’t she?” Gunn asked knowingly.

“What the bleedin’ hell does that have to do with anything?” Spike exclaimed.

Gunn shrugged, trying to hide his smile. “Absolutely nothing.”

“She’s not hot,” Spike told him and then added. “And even if she is she’s still the most annoying, bratty bitch I’ve ever had the displeasure to meet.”

“Of course,” Gunn said with a mock-serious face.

Spike gave him a look. “Don’t do that.”

“Do what?” Gunn asked as he moved to take his turn punching.

“Give me that look that means you don’t believe me,” Spike replied.

“I’m not,” Gunn protested, still half smirking.

“Shut up.”

*************************

He wasn’t back. Buffy snuck another glance at her clock, 5:54. Only ten minutes since she last looked. Stop it, she told herself, he’s 18 friggin’ years old and she was not his keeper. Who cared if Giles or her mom called? Not her.

Buffy now stood in front of her full-length mirror, inspecting her hair. The color was fading, especially at the roots and bottoms, and she considered trying to dye it over her natural color of honey blonde.

If she really wanted to start over in Sunnydale, the dark hair would have to go. It was so Faith-esque, wild and sexy. Now she just wanted pretty and normal. Girl next door.

Buffy had cleaned her face of the dark make-up and now her only resemblance of make-up was a coat of cherry lip balm. Her skin wasn’t as golden as it used to be but that was easy enough to fix.

She fished through her clothes, finding her least ripped jeans and put on a soft gray tank top. She abandoned her thick necklaces and bracelets for a simple sliver chain.

Just the minuscule changes made a difference in her appearance. She broke out into a small bittersweet smile at her reflection. Goodbye LA Buffy, hello Sunnydale Buffy.

Just then, the door opened and shut loudly, alerting her that Spike was indeed home.
Buffy trotted down the stairs and into the kitchen where Spike sat at the counter, his hair damp, drinking water.

“You,” Spike mumbled, glancing up as she walked into the room.

“Me,” Buffy responded, leaning against the island across from him. “So, where’d you go?”

“Gym,” was Spike’s one word answer and he took a gulp from his glass.

That perked up Buffy’s interest. She always did like to exercise. Before it had been cheerleading but later she’d taken up running and some karate. “Really, where is it?”

“Why?” Spike asked suspiciously, eyeing the small girl. She didn’t have the typical build of a serious athlete.

Buffy shrugged. “I like running, boxing and I’m big with karate.” This wasn’t so bad, she thought. They were having a civilized conversation that, hopefully, wouldn’t end in a heated argument.

“They have classes,” Spike offered, almost hesitantly, “for karate.”

“Cool,” Buffy replied, unable to think of any other response. There was a pause, not necessarily awkward but still there. She wondered if he’d forgotten their argument only a few hours ago, he was so calm.

The phone on the table rang suddenly jarring Buffy and she lunged for it. “This is B-uh the Giles-Summers’ residence.” A piece of paper sat in front of her and she started doodling on it with a nearby pen.

“Buffy, it’s me.”

Buffy relaxed marginally. “Oh, hey mom.”

“Listen, are you sitting down?” Joyce asked eagerly

Buffy glanced up from her drawing to see Spike had disappeared, presumably to his room. She mentally sighed as she sat down in one of the stools.

“I am now,” she replied, brushing off the strange, sinking feeling she felt when she realized Spike had left.

“I got a call from Mr. Snyder,” Joyce began excitedly, “he said as long as you participated in an extra-curricular or two, you can go to Sunnydale High.”

Buffy straightened, feeling lighter than she had in weeks, months probably. “Seriously?”

She could almost see her mother nodding. “Yep, you’ll start Wednesday. You’ve missed a couple weeks of school but since it’s only a month into the school year, you should get caught up in no time.”

A serene smile slipped onto her face. School would be good. It was normalcy. Something she missed a lot.

“Good. I’m glad we didn’t have to take this to the school board,” Buffy said, her tone light.

“Thank god,” Joyce replied with a small laugh. “Do you know what a hassle that would have been? Half of the board spends most of their time on the golf course.”

Buffy let out a small laugh as well at the comment and picked up the pen again. “Um, I know I said it before but, uh, thanks.”

“Of course, sweetheart,” Joyce replied and Buffy took comfort in that small endearment.

“Tomorrow, I’ll take off work early to get you your school supplies and I believe it is tradition to spend an enormous amount of time in stores finding new clothes for the year,” Joyce commented. If there was one thing she knew about her daughter, it was her love for shopping.

Buffy smiled even though her mother couldn’t see her. “That sounds good.”

“I’ll see you soon,” Joyce promised and they hung up.

Buffy put the phone back and stared down at her drawing, her face blanched as the features slid into place. She tore the paper off the pad and crumpled in her hand. She swallowed uneasily, closing her eyes.

Quickly, she tossed the sheet away, making sure it was buried under a few other pieces of trash. She hadn’t drawn him in a few weeks. Mostly her mind pushed him away, just leaving her with glimpses of his eyes or the profile of his face.

Buffy settled herself on the couch, pulling the blanket around her despite the warm weather. Don’t, she told herself, don’t think about him. Not now.

*************************************************

“So which store do you want to start with?” Joyce asked, studying the map of the mall.

“Um,” Buffy scanned the list of stores. “I guess we could start with school supplies first.”

It was relatively early in the afternoon, but the mall was buzzing with people most likely taking advantage of the rare cloudy day.

“The Office Max is just around the corner. We could start there and then work our way down,” Joyce suggested and Buffy nodded in agreement.

An hour later, the pair had stopped for coffee and had made their way to the clothing stores. Buffy leafed through the racks, looking for new clothes.

Joyce walked over, holding Buffy’s previous purchases. “So, finding anything?”

Buffy held up a cute top, eyeing it critically. “I like this but I’m not sure if I really want to get it.”

Joyce plucked it out of her hands and placed it in the basket. “Yes you do.”

Buffy opened her mouth to protest but then shut it. If her mom was willing to buy all this for her, she probably shouldn’t disagree. Buffy passed a mirror and with one glance, she remembered her other change. Her hair.

“Um, mom,” Buffy began nervously. “I was wondering if you’d help me dye my hair.”

Joyce gaze flickered to the red and black and down to her daughter’s face. “What color?”

“Uh, blonde, back to my normal color,” Buffy answered. “I’m getting kinda bored of the black and red.”

Relief flickered in Joyce’s eyes and she nodded. “Sure, we can stop by the hair salon and buy some hair dye. I’d offer to schedule an appointment but if you want it blonde for tomorrow…”

Buffy nodded quickly. “Uh-huh. No problem.”

Joyce gave her a brief smile. “Good.”

They went to pay for the rest of Buffy’s new clothes and headed out with bags dangling from their arms.

At the hair salon, Buffy picked out a honey blonde, a shade darker than her real color and handed it over to her mother. “This is pretty close.”

Joyce nodded. “I like it.”

“Thank you,” Buffy said as they exited the salon.

“I’ve told you Buffy, I don’t mind doing this. I swear. I want this year to be great for you, a step forward,” Joyce replied and squeezed her daughter’s hand lightly.

Buffy flashed her a quick smile. “Me too.”

****************************

“So,” Buffy asked, shifting nervously, “how does it look?”

Joyce smiled happily. “I could almost say I never knew it was dyed.”

“Really?” Buffy spun around to face the mirror and smiled her first real smile in ages. “Wow, it does look good!”

Buffy tilted her head, trying to view all of her hair. It was a shiny, silky blonde that went well with her new tan from being out all day.

“What’s going on in here?” Giles’s accented voice drifted from outside of the bathroom.

“Oh, Rupert, come on in and see Buffy’s new hair,” Joyce called out and Buffy could feel her face heating up.

Giles stepped in, taking in the newly blonde girl. She looked so different from only the day before. Her face was bright with a small smile on her lips, her hair blonde and her clothes lighter. “You look lovely, Buffy,” he said honestly.

“Uh, thanks,” she mumbled shyly.

Giles glanced down at his watch. “Joyce, are you ready? The gallery showing starts at seven, correct?”

Joyce slapped her head. “God, I can’t believe I almost forgot!” She turned to her daughter, “We’ll be back around 10:00, okay?”

Buffy nodded, still entranced by her reflection and the older pair left, closing the door behind them.

Spike trudged up the stairs, his heavy boots clunking against the wood. He passed the bathroom and stopped as a flash of golden hair caught his eye.

He peered into the bathroom to see Buffy, well, blonde. “Uh,” he stuttered slightly, “you dyed your hair.”

Buffy nodded, feeling a little self-conscious and patted her head. “Uh, yeah, back to its normal color.”

“Oh,” Spike paused, regarding her silently before adding, “It looks nice.” His voice was casual but his eyes stayed locked on Buffy. He found himself staring at her body, newly revealed by the tighter jeans and top.

Buffy edged away from the door a little, wondering why Spike was looking at her so strangely. He wasn’t…checking her out was he?

“Uh, Spike?” she called hesitantly, “Did you need something?”

Spike cleared his throat, shaking his head. “I’m goin’ out. I’ll be back in a bit.”

“Okay,” Buffy said and watched as Spike went back down the stairs and out the door. Was he just nice to her? And was she nice back?

Buffy shook her head at the strange encounter and went into her room, pulling out all her new purchases. The clothes were spread out on her bed, mostly jeans, a few skirts and nice tops.

She put them away and pushed her old clothes further back in the closet. She couldn’t get rid of them; something in her wouldn’t let her but her new clothes now hung neatly in the front.

Here’s to a new look, Buffy thought and glanced at her mirror. And to a new life.


A/N: Despite Buffy’s happier mood and ‘moving forward’ strategy, it isn’t all going to be as easy as this chapter. There will be angst and conflict-just so you know. And the Spuffy will take a little bit but it’ll start soon.
School Day Part 1 by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
yep-it's a two part thing- I almost passed out while writing it (tired) and wanted to post something so here it is! 2nd part up tomorrow for sure! thanks to all reviewers/readers and my beta!
Chapter 5: School Day Part I


“Buffy! Breakfast! You don’t wanna miss your first day of school!”

Disoriented, Buffy sat up and rubbed her eyes. Oh yeah, she remembered, school today. Her nervousness came back to her and she jumped out of bed, searching through her new clothes for an outfit.

After a few minutes, she settled on a jean miniskirt with green tank top, a gray sweater tied around her waist. Buffy carefully applied her make-up, keeping it light and brushed her hair. She put the silver chain back on her neck, fingering the little heart lightly.

With a sigh, Buffy slipped her feet into her shoes and headed downstairs.

“Buffy,” Joyce looked up as her daughter walked into the kitchen, “you look lovely.”

Spike merely glanced up from his Lucky Charms, not saying a word.

A bowl had already been set for Buffy and she poured her cereal in it, taking small bites.

“You looking forward to starting today?” Joyce asked, breaking the silence.

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, I am.” Her anxiety had only increased as each minute passed but it seemed safest to stick with yes.

Spike shoveled the last of his cereal into his mouth and stood up, his chair squeaking against the linoleum and went up stairs.

Buffy watched as he exited, feeling confused. One minute she could have sworn Spike was checking her out and the next he was ignoring her.

“You better get going,” Joyce told the blonde. “School starts in a half hour and Spike’s probably leaving in about five-ten minutes.”

Buffy stood up and placed her dish by the sink, frowning. “Spike?”

Joyce nodded, taking the dirty dish. “He’ll drive you. Thankfully he got a parking space this year.”

Buffy swallowed. “As in ‘taking me to school with him,’ kind of driving?”

Joyce gave her daughter a weird look. “Is there another kind?”

Buffy let a small, forced laugh. “No, I was just…being spacey. I’m gonna finish getting ready.”

She ran up the stairs, grabbing her new black backpack and slipped her gray sweater on. While it was usually warm in Sunnydale, the sun was just peeking over the horizon this early in the morning and it was a little chillier.

As Buffy exited her room, she bumped into Spike who had his own beat-up bag slung over one shoulder.

“There you are,” he muttered. “Come on, we’re gonna be late.”

Buffy followed Spike out to his car, a big black thing that would terrify small children, and slipped into the front seat.

“This is your car?” Buffy couldn’t keep all the disdain out of her voice and earned herself a glare for it.

“Yeah,” Spike snapped defensively. “What of it?”

“It’s just so…” Buffy trailed off as she picked up an empty bag of chips off the ground, “old.”

“It’s vintage,” Spike corrected her as they pulled out of the driveway and onto Revello Drive.

Buffy resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “Vintage implies it has actually been in style and still looks good.”

Spike gritted his teeth and took a sharp turn onto Main Street. “It’s vintage and stop insulting my car or you might just find yourself walking to school.”

Buffy pursed her lips but didn’t vocalize her protests. She had a feeling Spike wasn’t kidding about actually kicking her out of the car.

They drove the rest of the way in silence; the Sex Pistols, which Buffy would never admit to Spike, were not that bad, playing low.

Spike maneuvered through the busy parking lot and parked into a spot near the tennis courts. He climbed out and without another look behind him, headed towards a clump of students near the track.

Buffy stood there, annoyed and not a little angry and embarrassed, watching him start shaking hands with a dark-haired boy, laughing.

“Don’t bother,” a voice came from behind her.

Buffy jumped, clearly startled and spun around to face a redhead girl wearing a fuzzy pink sweater, a black skirt and Keds.

“Oh!” The girl gasped, looking upset. “I didn’t mean to scare you!”

“No problem,” Buffy managed with a brief smile and then frowned slightly. “Bother with what?”

“Him,” the redhead gestured to Spike off in the distance. “Don’t bother making with the lusties. He has two types: the crazy or the dumb,” she paused, “or the really easy. But you didn’t hear that one from me.”

“You don’t say,” Buffy said dryly, still watching Spike.

The girl nodded. “Yep. That’s Spike Giles. BMOC.”

“Huh?” Buffy asked, turning to the redhead.

“Big Man On Campus,” she explained and the two naturally started walking towards the school building.

“Ah. Got it,” Buffy replied with a small laugh. “I’m Buffy.”

“Willow,” the girl replied, sticking out her hand to shake.

Buffy complied with a little grin. “Nice to meet you. So, I was wondering…do you think you could show me around a bit? I have,” she glanced down at her badly written schedule, “English in room 805 with Mr. Minton first hour.”

“Sure! No problem!” Willow exclaimed happily and at Buffy taken back look, she clarified, “I’m the girl who actually likes school.”

At that comment Buffy let out a laugh and Willow joined in.

“So,” she began, “when did you move here?”

“Um,” Buffy shifted her gaze slightly, watching the students pour in to the building. “Just a few days ago.”

“Really? Where from?”

“LA,” Buffy answered. “My mom was already living here.”

“Wow,” Willow looked at her, shocked. “I can’t believe you left such a big city to come to…well, such a small one. I mean, we literally only have one Starbucks.”

Buffy shrugged. “I needed a change of scenery,” she half-lied. The last thing she wanted to do was ramble on about her sob story and freak out her new potential friend.

The two walked through the hallway and into the 800 wing. People were just starting to trickle into classrooms, cramming for their tests but most students were hanging out in bunches in the halls.

“Can I see your schedule for a second?” Willow asked and Buffy handed it to her.

The redhead scanned the sheet, looking confused. “Not that I wouldn’t be happy to show you to all your classes, but the office usually assigns a person to show you around.”

“Oh,” Buffy shifted and took her schedule back. “I did, have one I mean,” she admitted, “but, uh, he kinda…ditched me.”

It took a moment for the blonde’s words to register. “Oh, you mean Spike Giles was your tour guide?” Willow asked, her eyes wide.

“Yeah,” Buffy grumbled, “lucky me.”

Willow glanced down at her shoes. “Some people would think so.”

Buffy stared at the girl for a moment, watching the faint blush work its way up her face. “You like him?” At the sound of her voice, Buffy winced. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it to sound like that. It’s not that-“

She was interrupted as a brown-haired boy with a goofy smile slung his arm around Willow’s shoulder. “Hey Wills.” The boy’s gaze was trained on Buffy. “Introduce me to your new friend here.”

Buffy couldn’t help but giggle a little at the guy’s attempt to sound suggestive. He seemed sweet and obviously a good friend of Willow’s. “I’m Buffy and I’m new.”

“New is good,” the boy confirmed. “I’m Xander.”

“Well,” Buffy said with nod, “nice to meet you. Willow here was just showing me to my first class.”

“Ah! Fear not, we’re here to save your day, Ms…” Xander trailed off, looking at her expectantly.

“Summers,” Buffy filled in, a grin playing on her lips. “And thank you.”

“Her guide is Spike but he ditched her,” Willow informed her best friend and he sighed, shaking his head.

“And we’re surprised? He’s not exactly known for his winning personality. Don’t get me wrong, we’re sorta friends but he’s been like this since Drusilla dumped him. Man, she really did a number on him.”

Buffy looked at Xander, confused. “Who’s Drusilla?”

“Spike’s ex. They’d been going out since, like, sixth grade. She’s kinda…different,” Willow said hesitantly.

“In other words, a total wacko,” Xander corrected for Buffy as they led her into her class room.

Willow rolled her eyes. “Anyway, they were like the Bonnie and Clyde of Sunnydale High only goth. Then at the end of school year, Dru dumped him for some college guy. He was a wreck.”

Xander nodded sympathetically. “Spike was one sad drunk.”

“Xander!” Willow scolded her friend and turned to Buffy. “Like Xander said, we’re kinda friends with Spike; at least we used to be until he got into Harmony.”

“Who’s into half the football team,” Buffy added, remembering what Spike’d told her.

Willow nodded, a little surprised at Buffy’s accurate comment. “Yep. She puts the ditz in ditzy blonde.”

Just then a girl walked up to the three and turned to Xander, tapping him on the shoulder. “I thought you were meeting me in the supply closet? You know how I get without my morning-“ the girl stopped and gave Buffy a bright smile. “Hello, you must be new. I’m Anya.”

Xander’s face was beet red as he gently tugged Anya closer. “Ahn, remember that discussion about how I like our private times…private?”

Anya pouted, crossing her arms. “Well I wouldn’t have to mention it if you’d been in the closet like you promised.”

Xander rolled his eyes. “I’m sorry; I’ll make it up to you.”

Anya glanced at the clock impatiently and dragged Xander with her. “Let’s go then, we still have fifteen minutes. If we work really fast, we might get one orgasm in.”

Buffy watched as the pair left, her mouth hanging open. She’d known some of the tactless girls out there, but that girl…well she one-upped them all.

Willow smirked at Buffy’s expression. “That was Anya. She can be a little intense. She and Xander have been hooking up since summer but neither of them will say anything about dating. It’s weird.”

Buffy nodded slowly. “No kidding.”

“So,” Willow smiled brightly, “how about I show you to the rest of your classes?”

“Sounds good.”
School Day Part 2 by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks soooo much to all the reviewers and readers! Reviewers-wow I'm so glad you all like this story! thanks so much for taking the time to review it. And, of course, thanks to my beta!
Chapter 5: School Day Part II


“Summers, Buffy?”

“Here,” Buffy answered promptly, pulling out a new notebook and pen. It was time to be super student Buffy.

The teacher glanced up, looking a little surprised. “Well, it’s always nice to have new students in my class. Why don’t you come up here and introduce yourself.”

Buffy swallowed uneasily and slowly stood up, making her way to the front of the class. With a deep sigh, she turned to face the unfamiliar faces.

“Um, I’m Buffy and, uh, I’m from LA,” she turned to the teacher. “Anything else?”

The woman shook her head and motioned for Buffy to sit down. “Welcome to Computer Class. Now, everyone turn to page 20 in your textbooks…”

The teacher prattled on about how computers worked and Buffy tuned her out a little, letting her mind wander.

Her classes had been okay and despite the fact she was a couple weeks behind, most teachers had been accommodating, giving her time to make up the work.

The door opened and everyone glanced up and the teacher trailed off with a frown at the newcomer.

“Well, Spike I’m glad you could make it to class,” the teacher crossed her arms with a raised brow.

Spike gave her a deceptively charming grin. “Sorry Ms. Calendar, got held up by Snyder.”

“That’s Principal Snyder,” Ms. Calendar corrected and pointed Spike to the empty seat, of course, next to Buffy. “Sit down, Giles.”

Spike grudgingly complied, slumping into the desk, his legs sprawled outward and knocked Buffy’s knee.

“Sorry,” he mumbled before resting his head on the desk.

“It’s fine,” Buffy mumbled back, wishing she didn’t have a class with Spike Giles. She already saw him at home, why did she need to see him at school?


**********************************

“Ah…fine American cuisine,” Xander commented as the three new friends sat down at an empty table, trays in hand.

Buffy made a face at her mushy meat. “What is this supposed to be?”

“I think meatloaf,” Willow said, poking her own blob with her fork.

“Whatever it is, it’s definitely not real meat,” Xander announced, taking a bite of the ‘meatloaf.’

Both girls stared at him in horror. “Did you just eat it?” Willow asked, shocked.

“What?” Xander said through a mouthful. “I’m hungry!”

Buffy grinned despite her dismay and took a sip of her juice. She was amazed at how close she was to the Willow and Xander after only knowing them for less than a day. They were kind, sweet and welcoming and Buffy could feel her nervousness about being the new girl melting away.

“…tonight?” Willow asked Buffy and she shook her attention back to the redhead.

“Sorry, what was that?”

“Do you wanna come with us to the Bronze tonight? It’s the basically the only club here in Sunnydale,” Willow repeated.

“Oh,” Buffy paused, twirling her fork, “maybe. I don’t know. I still have some unpacking I have to finish.” Okay, it was a partial lie but there was a difference between hanging out with people in school and out of school.

“You have to come,” Xander wheedled, “We’ll throw you a welcome party.”

Suddenly, three trays plopped down next to Buffy, temporarily ending Xander’s attempt at persuading Buffy to go out with them.

“Hey,” Willow greeted the newcomers with a smile.

“Hey Wills,” a thin brunette with a Texan twang replied and then gave Buffy a smile. “Hi, I’m Fred, you must be Buffy.”

Buffy nodded, feeling a little awkward. “Yep, I’m Buffy. Nice to meet you.”

“I’m Wesley,” the dark-haired, apparently British guy besides Fred piped up.

“A-and I’m Tara,” the second girl with dark blonde hair and a shy smile added.

As soon as they sat down and started eating, the conversation started up again about the Bronze.

“You have to come tonight. It’s ‘stomp a cockroach, get a free drink’ night,” Fred gushed, popping a grape in her mouth.

“Cockroach?” Buffy asked dubiously.

“Yep,” Willow nodded for confirmation. “It’s a nice deal though. After all, who can resist the allure of free drinks?”

“You’re just saying that because you’re the best foot-stomper,” Xander muttered darkly.

Fred and Wes snickered at Xander’s sullen expression and Buffy tried to suppress her own laughter.

“Okay, okay,” Buffy relented with a little grin. “I’ll come tonight.”

***************************************

Buffy had to admit her new friends weren’t the most popular people around and were a far cry from Faith’s so-called friends Buffy’d hung out with in the last year.

But they were the kind of people Buffy actually wanted hang out with and be friends with. They were genuine and didn’t pull off some act, trying to be someone they weren’t.

“Here,” Willow handed Buffy a slip of paper with a phone number on it. “This is my phone number. Call me and I’ll give you directions to the Bronze.”

The two girls were slowly walking out of the building, relishing the warm afternoon sun. School had ended only a few minutes before and Willow was walking Buffy out before the Computer Club’s meeting.

“Hey,” Buffy asked suddenly, turning to face the redhead. “Do you guys have a cross country team?”

Willow nodded. “Yeah, Fred’s on the team. Do you do long distance running?”

Buffy shrugged, her eyes drifting to the track where she could see clumps of people standing. “A little. I’ve never been on a school team though.”

“Maybe you could ask Fred to ask the coach to let you try out,” Willow suggested.

Buffy nodded absently, still watching the runners in the distance. “Maybe I will.”
Her newfound love for running had helped her clear her mind and work through her frustrations. And it helped her forget…for a little while; letting her focus on her breathing, her pace and that burn in her muscles.

“Hey,” Willow began with a little frown. “Where’s your ride?”

Buffy shifted in her spot, reaching up to tug on a strand of her hair. “Actually-“

She was cut off as Spike, in a swirl of black leather and faint smell of smoke, brushed past her, bumping her shoulder. “Come on, Summers,” he muttered.

Willow watch with wide eyes as Buffy moved towards Spike’s car. “Spike’s your ride?”

“Um…” Buffy fished for some kind of explanation but the only one that made sense was the truth. “I’m sorta…living with him.” Or maybe that didn’t really explain much.

“Let’s go!” Spike snapped, leaning out of his open window.

“I’ll call you later,” Buffy promised as she slid into the car.

“You better,” Willow warned, still watching the blonde with a confused look.

Spike pulled out the parking spot with a squeal and sped off, leaving skid marks on the asphalt.

“That,” Willow said out loud, “was really weird.”

***********************

Buffy’s arms were crossed over her chest, wary as Spike violently turned out of the parking lot. “You know,” she began, “you could have been a little nicer.”

“To who?” Spike asked, his eyes still fixated on the road.

“Willow,” Buffy answered.

Spike rolled his eyes. “You’re point?”

Buffy shot him a confused look. “I thought you guys were friends.”

Spike shrugged. “We are, I guess.” His tone was casual, as if there wasn’t anything wrong.

“You’re an idiot,” Buffy told him with a glare.

Spike jerked the car to a stop and turned to face the blonde girl beside him, his eyes sparked with anger, his jaw set. “What the hell is your problem, Summers?”

“You!” She shot back. “Does it kill to be nice to your friends? I get it, I really do. You’re mad because your ho of a girlfriend broke up with you after, what, seven years? But you can’t just be an asshole to everyone forever!”

There was a deadly silence in the car as both blondes stared at each other, waiting.

Finally Spike spoke, his voice tight, filled with barely controlled anger. “Get out of my car.”

Buffy blinked. “What? No!”

“Get the fuck out or I’ll throw you out,” Spike told her. His expression was so serious, Buffy, feeling humiliated, slowly opened the door and stepped out.

Spike reached over to shut her door and then pulled away from the curb without a second glance behind him.

Buffy watched him drive off in shock. “Well,” she said out loud, “How the hell am I gonna get home?”

She stood there for a few minutes, hoping maybe god would listen to her for once but no such luck.

With a sigh, Buffy put her backpack on and started the three-mile walk to the Summers-Giles house.


A/N: I know what you’re thinking: Spike is such an asshole! Why??? Here’s the answer I can give you: both Buffy and Spike have their problems they have/are dealing with and they will work through them but be patient, it takes time.
Also, don’t worry Spike’s behavior will change a little soon. Thanks!
Tell Me by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the amazing reviews-wow! Thanks to my beta and enjoy this chapter.
also I had originally planned to update on specific days but the problem is it always varies on how fast I get a chapter done but expect each story-'How Soon is Now?' and 'Saving You' to be updated at least once a week.
Chapter 6: Tell Me


Sweat trickled down Buffy’s back, her shirt sticking to her skin. For the umpteenth time, she hoisted her backpack on to her shoulder as it kept slipping.

The hot afternoon sun was beating down on her as she made her way back to her house. Buffy was only about a mile away but it seemed like forever in the heat.

“Isn’t it supposed to be crisp outside in September?” Buffy grumbled, pushing a strand of hair off her face, tucking it behind her ear.

“Of course not!” She responded out loud to her question, “It’s southern California! God, I’m an idiot. Why did I have to say something to the bleached wonder any way?”

Buffy continued to ramble on, “I couldn’t have just ignored him? Noooo! I had to be Big-Mouth Buffy.”

She kicked a stone out her way and frowned. “Stupid me,” she muttered.

Eventually, Buffy managed to make it on to Revello Drive and walked in the shade to her house. As soon as she walked in, she dropped her bag and stumbled over to the couch, sinking into the cool cushions.

“Thank god for air-conditioning,” Buffy breathed and closed her eyes.

“Buffy?”

She immediately sat up at the sound of her name and saw Giles standing there. He still had his briefcase in hand and was suspiciously not sweaty despite the full-on tweed suit.

“Did you just get home?” He asked setting down his briefcase.

Buffy nodded, flopping back on the couch. “Uh, yeah.”

Giles’s frown deepened. “Didn’t Will-er-Spike drive you?”

For about a block, Buffy thought sarcastically but didn’t say it out loud.

“Um…” she shrugged. “I decided to walk. It’s nice out.”

Giles eyed her flushed cheeks and damp shirt doubtfully. “Weren’t you a little…warm?”

Buffy shrugged again even though it had to be obvious she was sweltering and not at all comfortable.

“Right,” Giles responded slowly, unsure. He glanced out the window at the driveway. “Where is Spike?”

“Uh,” Buffy stalled, “I guess he went to the gym.” That seemed like the safest answer and Giles nodded, indicating he believed her.

“Well,” Giles began, “I have a staff meeting in an hour but I can fix you something to eat if you want. I was about to make myself a sandwich.”

Buffy opened her mouth to refuse but then realized this was a good time to get to know her mother’s live-in boyfriend a little better. “Sure,” she said with a smile. “I’d love one.”

***********************

Much to Buffy’s immense surprise, Giles was actually kinda cool, in a fatherly way, but way nicer than her dad had ever been. And more interested in getting to know her too.

“Well,” Giles said, standing up to put their dishes away. “It was nice talking to you, Buffy. I know we really haven’t gotten a chance to get to know each other yet.”

“Well I did just kinda barge into your house,” Buffy admitted.

“Nonsense,” Giles shook his head. “We’re thrilled to have you here.”

He paused for a moment, watching her carefully. “You know,” he began, “Joyce is especially glad you’re here. But I think…I think she’s worried about you. Moving can be very stressful on young adults. You had to leave all your friends and-“

“Giles,” Buffy cut him off gently. “I’m fine, really.” She glanced down at her hands. “My mom probably told you why my dad sent me here, but it’s nice, having a chance to start over.”

Giles smiled with understanding at the young woman sitting in front of him. She was so vastly different from the dark-haired girl who’d arrived a few days ago. “I’m glad you think so.”

He glanced down at his watch and sighed. “Well, I’m off to a riveting meeting about the newest input on exam exceptions. I’ll see you later.”

Buffy grinned a little at his comment. “Yep, see ya.”

Once Giles had pulled out of the driveway, Buffy took the phone and dialed the number Willow had given her.

On the second ring, Willow picked it up. “Hello?”

“Hey Willow, it’s Buffy.”

“Oh, hey!” Willow sounded genuinely happy to hear from her. “You need directions to the Bronze, right?”

“Yep,” Buffy responded, sitting down on one of stools, swing slightly. She reached over for a pen and paper and prepared to write Willow’s instructions.

“Okay, go down Revello and take a right on Cherry. Take Cherry north till you hit Bonniwell and then turn on Ash, the Bronze is right there.”

Buffy finished writing the directions down, scribbling furiously. “Thanks,” she said, setting the pen down.

“No problem. If you need more info, call my cell,” Willow told her and proceeded to give her the number.

“So,” the redhead began hesitantly, “how exactly are you living with Spike?”

“My mom is dating Spike’s dad, he’s the school librarian,” Buffy explained.

“Oh! Right, Mr. Giles is Spike’s dad,” Willow remembered. “Giles is nice. When I was at his house, he offered me tea.”

Buffy had to smile at her new friend’s comment. “Yeah, he is nice. Spike though? Not so much.”

“Sometimes,” Willow conceded. “But he isn’t bad all the time.”

“I guess,” Buffy replied doubtfully. “It’s just so far he really hasn’t been all that friendly. I mean, he’s not exactly my favorite person, but…” she trailed off, hoping Willow understood what she meant.

“I know,” she said sympathetically. “But, hey, who knows? Maybe it’ll get better,” Willow suggested optimistically.

“Maybe,” And maybe pigs will fly too, Buffy mentally added. “Anyway,” she said, changing the topic. “What are you wearing tonight?”

“Um…my clothes?” Willow said meekly and then let out a sigh. “I’m hopeless,” she declared dejectedly.

“No, you’re not,” Buffy corrected her gently. “I’ll help you.”

“By phone?” Willow asked incredulously and Buffy laughed, feeling happy despite the disastrous car incident with Spike.

“Trust me,” she told her new friend, “I’m an expert at this.”

The next twenty minutes were spent dissecting Willow’s closet, picking out the perfect outfit. So far Willow had been skeptical and wary of Buffy’s choices which usually included a short skirt or tank top.

“Willow,” Buffy advised kindly, “sometimes being noticed means wearing something that’s not you.”

“Yeah but ‘not me’ equals ‘spazzy me,’” Willow protested, nervously eyeing her prospects.

Buffy bit her lip, thinking intensely. “I know!” she said suddenly. “Wear that floaty black skirt and last year’s Homecoming shoes you were telling me about, and I’ll bring you a top.”

“You’d do that for me?” Willow asked, sounding touched.

“Of course,” Buffy told her firmly. “You’re helping me fit in; I’m helping you pick out an outfit to stun the guys with.”

“Okay,” Willow giggled a little and then stopped. “Hey, what are you gonna wear?”

Buffy shrugged even though Willow couldn’t see her. “I’ll probably wear a skirt or jeans and—“ she stopped mid sentence as the door opened and then slammed shut. Spike.

“Willow, I’ll call you as soon as I’m leaving, ‘kay?” Buffy said quickly and waited for Willow’s puzzled “okay” before hanging up. She quickly grabbed the pen again, trying to look busy.

With an uneasy swallow, she started drawing on the sheet of paper, keeping her eyes down as Spike walked into the kitchen.

The silence was filled with tension and Buffy could see Spike standing in the middle of the kitchen out of the corner of her eye.

He moved hesitantly so he was in front of her and Buffy had no choice but to look up at him.

“Did you need something?” She asked coolly.

Spike continued to stand there, his jaw clenched tightly. Then he met her gaze squarely and Buffy felt her heart flip a little at the sight of his cerulean eyes.

“He was my best friend,” Spike said suddenly, shifting his gaze a little.

Buffy blinked. “Huh?” She asked oh-so-eloquently.

Spike’s eyes never wavered from the spot above her shoulder. “Dru cheated on me with my best friend. We’d been together since the sixth grade and I’d been friends with him longer than that. One day I cut school early and went to visit her at her dorm where she said she’d be all day and they were in there…together.” Spike’s jaw flexed and then he met her hazel eyes again, waiting for her reaction.

“Oh,” Buffy responded simply, still reeling from what he’d just told her. She wondered what had prompted Spike to confess to her what had transpired between him and his ex-girlfriend.

“So next time try and avoid talking about things you don’t know about,” he told her.

Buffy’s annoyance returned and she stood up, a glare firmly planted on her face. “Funny, I’m having this weird sense of déjà vu. I talk about things I don’t know about? What was that you told me the other day? Something along the lines of being a spoiled brat and moping around? You sure as hell have no clue what the fuck you’re talking about,” she spat at him. “You’re such a hypocrite.”

“Fine,” Spike shot back, “Tell me!”

Buffy stopped and stared at him. “W-what?”

Spike took a step forward, deliberately invading her personal space. “What’s the soddin’ truth then? If I’m being such a hypocrite as you put it, why don’t you tell me what the bleedin’ hell you’re really doing here?”

In that moment Buffy lost all her bravo. “I-I can’t,” she said, her voice nearly inaudible.

Spike regarded her for a moment, tilting his head slightly. “Figures,” he muttered and stormed out the room and up the stairs.

Buffy stood there in the kitchen still staring at the empty space where Spike had been standing. She swallowed as tears threatened to spill over. No, she thought firmly, she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.

*************************

A few hours later, Buffy was putting the finishing touches on her outfit for the Bronze. After the blowout with Spike, she’d been reluctantly to go out but she’d promised Willow and her friends she would and, dammit, she would.

Running the brush through her hair one last time, Buffy eyed herself in the mirror. She’d chosen to wear a black leather skirt, her black high heels and a dark blue iridescent tank top that clung to her curves.

Her body was thrumming with energy and she found herself eagerly anticipating the night out. Her clothes were more Faith-like than she probably should have worn but just for tonight she wanted to look dangerously sexy.

With her black leather jacket on and Willow’s shirt in hand, Buffy crept down the stairs, trying to be as quiet as possible. Her mom and Giles were upstairs in their room and had okayed her going to the Bronze but currently she was avoiding Spike at all costs.

Buffy turned, peering around the corner into the living room to see it was empty. Buffy let out a sigh of relief before a voice from behind her made her jump.

“Where’re you goin’?”

She turned around to see Spike standing there, arms crossed. Buffy straightened, defiantly tilting her chin upwards. “Out,” she responded shortly.

“Yeah,” Spike drawled, his gaze sweeping over her outfit. “Where?”

Buffy could feel his lingering look on her skin and felt exposed. “To the Bronze,” she said and pushed passed him to the door.

Spike reached out, his hand holding the door shut and scoffed. “Like you’re going out like that.”

Buffy bristled, her frown deepening. “What’s wrong with my outfit?” She demanded, glancing down at her top.

What outfit? Spike wanted to say but wisely kept the thought to himself. “Nothing,” he said, “but you’re not walking looking like that.”

Buffy threw a glare at him as she tried to open the door. “You’re not my mother,” she said between pulls.

“Well,” Spike smirked. “Let’s see what Joyce would have to say about your…adorable attire.”

Buffy turned around, her back resting against the wooden door. “Let go,” she said her voice eerily calm.

Spike opened his mouth to protest and then shut it, pressing his lips together. “Fine,” he said and pulled his hand away from the door.

With a huff, Buffy swung open the door and walked out into the twilight, not once looking back at the infuriating bleached blonde behind her.

***********************

Why was he even bothering? Spike questioned as he wandered back over to his seat in the kitchen. The bint had made it clear she didn’t like him earlier this afternoon, twice.

Not that, he admitted, he’d been all that accepting either. Her careless comment about Drusilla in the car had topped off his bad day and just the camel with one more straw, he’d collapsed, exploding at her.

Exhaling sharply, Spike yanked open the refrigerator door, looking for something to eat as his mind circled around the blonde girl currently living in his house.

She was obviously hiding something, that much was evident when he’d point-blank asked her why she’d come to live with them. But he didn’t know what and it was bothering him more than he’d like.
The Bronze by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the amazing reviews and enjoy this chapter! Thanks bunches to my Beta.
Chapter 7: The Bronze


“Buffy, you made it!” Willow exclaimed as she spotted the blonde walking towards the table Xander had secured.

“Yep,” Buffy said with a nod and then discreetly tugged on Willow’s sweater. “Here’s the shirt,” she whispered, pushing the item into Willow’s hands.

The redhead’s face brightened. “Oh, thanks! I’m gonna go put it on, I’ll be right back.” And with that, she ran off to the bathroom.

Buffy sat down in Willow’s seat, surveying the Bronze. It was rather small compared to the clubs she’d been to in LA but it was well suited for a place like Sunnydale. A live band was playing and Buffy tapped her foot and bobbed her head to the beat, trying to look occupied.

“Hey Buffy!” She turned to see the thin brunette, Fred, that she’d been introduced to earlier.

“Hi Fred,” Buffy replied with a smile as the brunette sat down in the seat opposite her and took a sip of the drink in front of her.

“Where’d Willow go?” Fred asked, searching around her.

Buffy jerked her thumb into the direction where she’d seen Willow go. “Bathroom.”

“Ah,” Fred nodded, taking another sip of her drink. “So, Willow told me you’re a long distance runner.”

Buffy shrugged. “More like interested in being a long distance runner, I’m not that good,” she confessed.

“Me neither,” Fred told her in a low voice, “but it’s a lot of fun and the coach isn’t picky about tryouts. You could come to practice tomorrow, I’m sure Coach Adler wouldn’t mind.”

Buffy nodded, a slow smile gracing her face. “Sure, I’d like that.”

Fred grinned. “It’d be so cool if you made the team. Sometimes I get so bored ‘cause none of my friends are on the team.”

“No one?” Buffy asked, leaning forward to hear better.

Fred started to shake her head but then stopped. “Well, Spike, Wes and Gunn are on the boy’s team but we only do a few co-ed practices.”

“Spike’s on the cross-country team?” Buffy asked, unable to conceal her surprise.

Fred nodded. “He’s pretty good but Wes is the best runner for the boys. Spike and Gunn are both the top soccer players anyway. Wes runs 4 minute miles and mostly does the 5k runs…”

Buffy raised her eyebrows slightly as she listened to Fred gush about Wes’s statistics. “Do you like him?” she asked, interrupting Fred’s praises.

A deep red blush colored the brunette’s face and she ducked her head. “I don’t think he likes me that way,” she murmured.

Buffy shrugged. “Never know till you ask.”

Fred continued to stare down at her drink as if contemplating Buffy’s words when a handsome black man walked up to their table and tugged on Fred’s hand. “Hey Fred,” he greeted her.

Fred broke out into a sweet smile. “Hey, Gunn. Ready to dance?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Gunn’s gaze shifted to Buffy and he gave her a nod. “Hey.”

“Oh!” Fred pointed to Gunn, “Buffy this is Charles Gunn, Gunn this is Buffy Summers.”

A look of recognition flashed in Gunn’s eyes. “Hey, are you the girl livin’ with Spike?”

Buffy nodded reluctantly. “Yeah, I moved in a few days ago.” She wondered how he knew and before she could voice her question, he answered it for her.

“Me and Spike were hangin’ out at the gym over the weekend and he told me about you.” It wasn’t Buffy’s imagination when she noticed a smirk on Gunn’s face as he spoke.

“I can’t imagine what he said about me,” Buffy said wryly.

Gunn laughed. “Well, I completely disregard everything he said, you seem pretty cool.” His gaze drifted over her revealing attire and Buffy blushed a little at his look.

Fred watched the exchange between the two before interjecting, “I can’t believe your living with Spike.” She lowered her voice, “Have you met Harmony yet?”

Buffy rolled her eyes at the mention of the girl’s name. “Unfortunately, yes.”

Gunn shook his head. “Man, that girl is terrifying. I don’t know how Spike can stand to be around her.”

Buffy nodded in agreement. Boy could she agree with that statement. Suddenly Fred gripped Gunn’s arm. “This is my favorite song!” The pair headed towards the dance floor and Fred twisted to face Buffy. “Dance with us?”

She shook her head indicating no and Gunn gave her a wave before moving through the crowd on the dance floor.

Buffy looked towards the bathroom to see Willow returning with the red halter top on, looking a little nervous.

“Willow, you look great,” Buffy reassured her.

“I don’t know,” Willow mumbled, tugging at the top. “It’s tight.”

“And it looks good,” Buffy added and then pointed to Fred and her dancing partner.

“Are they going out?” Buffy asked, watching them dance.

“They did, a while ago but their really good friends,” Willow explained, “And,” she added giving Buffy a look, “Gunn and Spike are best friends.”

“So I heard,” Buffy replied, still watching the dance floor before she glanced at the seat beside her and frowned. “Where’s Xander? I thought you said he was here.”

Willow rolled her eyes and pointed behind her to a small hallway. “With Anya.”

Even after knowing the pair for less than a day, Buffy needed no further explanation. “Ah,” she said with an understanding nod.

“Yep,” Willow responded with a sigh. “Those two really can’t go without…you know, for more than an hour.”

Buffy laughed and returned to surveying the crowd. She spotted a few people she recognized from her classes and one of them waved, prompting Buffy to wave back. He was kinda cute and had a sweet smile.

“Are you waving at Parker Abrams?” Willow asked, nudging Buffy in the side.

“Is that his name?” Buffy asked, watching as the guy moved towards her.

Willow elbowed Buffy harder. “Wait, Buffy he-“ She didn’t get to finish her sentence before Parker was standing at their table with a smile.

“Hi, I’m Parker. I think I recognize you from French,” he greeted, sticking out his hand for her to shake.

Charmed by his manners, Buffy accepted his handshake. “I’m Buffy. I just started Sunnydale High today.”

Parker grinned. “Well then, it’s nice to meet you. I was wondering, if it wasn’t too imposing, do you want to dance?”

Buffy nodded, giving him a half-smile and stood up. “Sure,” she replied, following him out to the dance floor.

Parker wrapped his arms loosely around her waist and Buffy moved her hands up to his shoulders.

“So,” he began, swaying her slightly to music, “what do think of Sunnydale so far?”

Buffy shrugged. “It’s not so bad. The people are nice, well some of them.”

Parker nodded. “That’s good. So are you a junior?”

“Yep, are you a junior too?” Buffy inquired as the song slowly drew to an end.

“No, senior,” Parker responded, “Next year I’ll be going to UCLA on a football scholarship.”

“Wow,” Buffy commented, “impressive. I live, well lived, in LA with my dad before I moved here. I’ll probably end up moving back after I graduate.”

Parker flashed her a grin. “Well, maybe you can show me all the sights,” he teased.

“Maybe I will.” Buffy gave him a flirty smile and pulled away, drifting back over to her seat next to Willow.

The redhead tugged on Buffy’s arm, pulling her closer to whisper into the blonde’s ear. “Parker has a girlfriend.”

Buffy reared back in shock, her mouth dropping open. “What?” she said loudly.

Willow shushed her, motioning for Buffy to lean closer again. “He’s been going out with Cordelia Chase for three months. And Cordelia…well let’s just put it this way, you don’t want to get on her bad side.”

Buffy made a face and glared at Parker’s back. “Lovely,” she said sarcastically. Why did she always attract sucky men? Buffy wondered, frowning as she watched a pretty brunette with excellent clothes walk up to Parker and kiss him full on the mouth.

“That’s her,” Willow said unnecessarily.

Following Cordelia was a familiar blonde girl, Harmony. She was eagerly hovering over Cordelia’s shoulder, awaiting her instructions like the sheep she was.

“Does he make a habit of that?” Buffy asked Willow, redirecting her gaze elsewhere, “Asking other girls to dance?”

Willow nodded. “Yeah, he’s not exactly monogamous. But he’s the captain of the football team; he gets away with just about everything. Even Snyder likes him.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “Snyder likes him? Are you sure Parker’s not the devil?”

“Hey, Buff! You’re here!” Xander’s booming voice greeted Buffy as he and Anya made their way across the Bronze.

Anya instantly sat down in the last available seat and took a big gulp of a fruity drink with an umbrella in it. “This stuff is amazing!” she said loudly with a grin. “You can’t even taste the alcohol in it!”

“Ahn,” Xander hissed, “not so loud, we’ll get in trouble.” He turned to Buffy and grinned. “So what do think of the Bronze?”

Buffy pretended to think hard. “Nice music, yummy drinks, lack of tables…I give it a 7.”

“Buffy, my friend, you are far too gracious with the numbers. But this place is really the only club to go to.” Xander said with a shake of his head.

The four continued to talk and shortly after Fred returned and managed to find an extra seat to pull up. Buffy found herself relaxing a little, enjoying her new friends. They were quirky, but nice and she actually fit in. She could be herself around them.

“…so then I grabbed her Barbie doll and ran like hell.” Xander finished with a smirk as Willow good-naturedly swatted him.

“We were five,” Willow informed Buffy.

Xander had been recounting the story of how he and Willow had ended their semblance of a romantic relationship of only two days. Buffy had been sneaking glances at Willow, trying to judge her feelings about Xander. She seemed almost reserved and not her bubbly self as Xander began telling the story for Buffy’s benefit but quickly got involved; adding little comments.

Buffy wondered if Willow was still interested in Xander but where did that leave her reaction to Spike this morning?

Buffy’s gaze drifted to her watch and she let out a reluctant sigh and stood up. “Sorry, guys I gotta go.”

Everyone groaned and encouraged her to stay but she shook her head. Getting on her mother’s and Giles’s bad side only after a few days of living with them was definitely not of the good.

Grabbing her jacket, Buffy headed out the door, breathing in the semi-fresh air outside. The noise, as opposed to bordering on deafening was now muffled. She started walking back towards the house, keeping to the sidewalks and streetlights.

She was just exiting the ‘bad neighborhood’ which was located right next to the ‘good neighborhood’ when she heard a crack.

Thinking it was her imagination, Buffy shook her head briefly and kept walking, her pace quickening.

Crunch

Buffy froze, her hand gripping her purse tighter. That was definitely not her imagination. The hair on her neck prickled and she continued to walk, warily eyeing the shadows.

Everything seemed more ominous; the way the trees swayed, the little crevices between buildings and the shadows.

Now she knew she could hear footsteps behind her. Swallowing hard, Buffy didn’t pick up her pace, she knew well enough that if she moved any faster now, who ever was behind her would come running.

The sound of footsteps matched her own but were louder, as if the person was bigger or had chunkier boots. For a moment Buffy entertained the thought that it was Spike trying to scare the shit out of her because she’d ignored his comments about not walking.

When the noised didn’t lessen, Buffy turned around, trying to look annoyed. “Spike if that’s you I’m so kicking your ass.” The threat sounded strained to even her ears.

Whoever was following her stopped, as if waiting for something. Exhaling loudly, Buffy turned around only to walk straight into someone.

“Oof,” Buffy mumbled, stumbling backwards. She glanced up to see a hard faced man leering down at her. He had a scruffy beard and beady green eyes.

“Baby,” the man drawled, “where do think you’re going?”

Buffy straightened, looking at him calmly in the eye while internally she was screaming. “Just heading home,” she said brightly.

“Aw,” the man said again in his drawl, “don’t do that. Stick with us…you’ll have fun, guaranteed.”

Us? Buffy thought and then remembered the footsteps behind her. She turned around and saw an equally scruffy looking man, a little younger, step out of the shadows where he’d been hiding.

“Yeah sweet thing,” he said with smirk, “stick around.”

Buffy shook her head. “Sorry, I have to go home now, maybe some other time.” She tried to step around the man in front of her but he moved to stop her.

Any sort of playfulness had vanished from his craggy face and he glared down at her. “I don’t think so.”

The younger man walked up so he was blocking her from the back. “I think,” He added, “you should stay with us.”

It was then Buffy knew she was trapped. With quick precision, her hand flew out and slammed into the older man’s face, smashing his nose. He howled in pain and clutched at his bruised nose, whining pitifully.

The man behind her made a grab for her but she sidestepped him, using her height as an advantage. As soon as she was ducked away, she started running as fast as the stupid heels would take her, which wasn’t far.

The first man with his broken nose, leaped out and grabbed her around her waist, pulling her back. “Oh no you don’t girly,” he growled nasally, the blood dripping onto her shoulder.

Buffy yelled, any noise to alert someone near by but she knew it had to be fruitless. She’d been walking alone and hadn’t seen anyone since she left the Bronze.

“Help!” She screeched before the man covered her mouth. She kept yelling but her words were muffled. Buffy kicked up, trying to make the man lose his balance but the second man took the opportunity to seize her ankles.

Panicked, Buffy began squirming and wiggling out their grasps and bit down on the hand over her mouth.

“Ow you fuckin’ bitch!” The first man yelled, his hand falling away. Buffy yanked her ankles, trying to pull away but his grip was like iron. The first man retaliated, smacking her on head, momentarily stunning her.

“Hey!”

Buffy turned her head, still wiggling away from the hands on her arms and ankles, to see a guy near her age running up to them.

“Hey,” the guy cried indignantly, “let go of her!”

The younger man glanced up with a glare. “Fuck off!” He yelled at the dark-haired guy but he didn’t. Instead he walked up to them and calm but firmly spoke. “Let go of her, now.”

“Really?” The green, beady-eyed man asked. “What are you gonna do about it?”

“Well,” the guy responded, holding up his cell phone. “I think I’ll call the police. I’m sure they’ll have something to say to you.”

The two men froze and let go of Buffy, pushing her aside. “Let’s go, Frank,” the first guy mumbled, “this ain’t worth it.”

As soon as the men had walked off, the guy knelt down next to Buffy. “Are you okay?”

Buffy nodded, unable to speak. She was shaking and she was so cold. She pulled her jacket tighter around her body and glanced down at her bare legs, feeling ashamed. Spike had been right, it was stupid, even in small-town Sunnydale, to wear clothes like this and walk around late at night.

No wonder they’d grabbed her, Buffy thought, she looked like the perfect victim.

“Hey,” the guy said, his voice soothing, as he reached out to touch her arm. “It’s okay, those assholes are gone now.”

Buffy nodded again and slowly started to stand up. The guy offered her help up and Buffy accepted it gratefully. “I’m Riley,” he announced as they started walking.

“Buffy,” she responded, tilting her head up to meet his face. “Thank you,” she said softly, still feeling humiliated. This sweet, nice guy had seen her being held down by two guys and she couldn’t help but feel extremely embarrassed. He must think I’m a slut, she thought miserably.

Riley must have noticed the expression on her face because he stopped her and said clearly, “Those guys were jerks. Don’t let them make you feel embarrassed, what they did was wrong.”

Buffy nodded reluctantly. “Thanks,” she said again and Riley smiled back. “You’re welcome.”

He kindly walked her all the way back to her house. On the way, Riley introduced himself, saying he was a freshman at the local college, UC Sunnydale.

Buffy explained she was new and was a junior at Sunnydale High and that she was now living with her mom while her dad was in LA.

“Wow, LA, huh?” Riley commented with a laugh. “I’m from Iowa, not exactly the most exciting place on Earth.”

“Iowa,” Buffy said slowly and bit her lip. “Is that one of the states in the middle?”

Riley laughed again and Buffy decided she liked his laugh; it was wholesome and nice to hear. “Yeah, it is. I even lived on a farm.”

“A farm?” Buffy pretended to sound appalled. “You mean with real live cows and...horses?”

The pair laughed at her mock-reaction.

“Yeah, that’s pretty much what it’s like,” Riley confirmed as they slowed down in front of her house. There was a light on in the living room but otherwise it was dark.

“Well,” Buffy began, “Thanks again, for rescuing me.”

Riley smiled. “Of course,” he paused for a moment, looking a little nervous. “I was wondering if I could give you my number. In case you’d ever want to see me under a non-dangerous situation.”

Buffy felt a smile spread across her face. “I’d like that.”

Riley sighed in relief. “Oh good.” He quickly jotted his number on her hand with a pen from her purse.

“Just ask for Riley Finn, they’ll know who you’re looking for,” Riley added before shaking her hand politely. “Goodnight, Buffy.”

“’Night,” she responded and walked into her house, giving him a final wave.

She shut the door softly, trying not to make noise.

“Did you have a nice time?”

Buffy turned to see her mother standing there, awaiting her answer with a smile.

“Yeah,” Buffy said slowly, “ I guess I did.”
Race You by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the amazing reviews and thanks to my beta-you're awesome! Anyway, I'm sooo sorry these last few updates for both this story and "Saving You" have been so slow. Real life is kinda hectic right now but I promise I'll faithfully keep updating so bare with me.
Chapter 8: Race You


The sun was mercifully not beating down as Buffy stood next to Fred clad in shorts, a shirt and running shoes along with every other girl standing on the track.

The cross-country head coach was a younger woman with California surfer girl looks. Her nearly platinum hair was pulled back into a tight ponytail and a baseball cap on top. She was currently talking to a small girl with curly carrot-color hair, her face contorted in displeasure.

Fred tugged on Buffy arm, motioning for the blonde to follow her. They walked up to the coach and waited till the petite girl stomped off, looking angry.

“Coach Adler?” Fred said hesitantly.

The woman shook her head, watching the redhead go. “Kerry’s quitting.”

Fred’s face fell and a frown appeared. “Oh,” she said, “is everything okay?”

“Fall play,” was the coach’s response before she turned to face the two girls. At the sight of the unfamiliar blonde in front of her, the woman frowned. “Are you on the team?”

“Actually,” Buffy began, “I just moved here a few days ago and was wondering if I could still join the team.”

Coach Adler shrugged. “Sure. I don’t see why not. We’re starting out on the track with warm-up and then doing a four-mile loop. Let’s see how you do.”

With that, the woman stepped forward and whistled loudly, alerting the rest of the girls. “All right everybody, stretches!”

Buffy and Fred complied, sitting down with their legs stretched out and reached forward. Buffy watched as the fairly large group of runners imitated the stretch. A couple of girls were eyeing Buffy, looking a little confused.

“Okay everyone, we’re going up Wilson, across Appleton, down Bridge and then back here,” Adler explained and led the group with an easy pace till they were a block from the school. Then everyone took off on their own pace, some running ahead while others lagged behind.

Buffy and Fred kept up near the front, keeping their pace even while the brunette was telling Buffy about the previous year’s meets.

“We did pretty well at the Lodger Meet but we didn’t make it to State,” Fred told her as they turned up on Wilson.

“Really? How come?” Buffy asked, increasing her pace slightly.

“Remember Kerry?”

Buffy nodded, easily recalling the girl who’d stormed off. “Yeah.”

“She’s one of the really good runners but she couldn’t go because she had an audition in LA.”

Buffy’s eyebrows rose. “Not exactly the most reliable teammate, is she?”

Fred shook her head. “Nope.”

The pair kept running and Buffy found herself watching the houses, their perfectly manicured lawns with sprinklers running. It wasn’t quite hot enough outside to actually run underneath the spray to cool off, so she skirted the droplets that strayed out onto the sidewalk.

“Hey,” Fred said suddenly, nudging Buffy lightly. “It’s Gunn and Spike.”

Buffy looked up to see a mass of runners heading towards them, obviously all guys. Gunn and Spike, however, had broken off from the group slightly and were running along the grass to avoid the girls coming at them.

“Hey Fred!” Gunn called out and then added, “Hey Buffy.”

Briefly, a look of surprise flitted across Spike’s face. “I didn’t know you were on the team,” he mumbled, his voice echoing his surprise. Earlier when Buffy had told him she was staying after school, he’d blindly assumed it was to hang out with Willow. Now that he knew she was on the cross-country team, a distinct recollection of her mentioning running came back to him.

“You didn’t ask,” Buffy replied simply as the four began running in a line.

“Did you have fun at the Bronze last night?” Gunn asked, “I didn’t see you later. Wills said you left kinda early.”

At the mention of her previous night, Buffy winced a little, remembering the run-in she’d had with those two creeps.

“Um, it was pretty good,” Buffy allowed, giving him all-too-brief smile.

Spike, noting the nervousness on her face, cocked a single brow. “Just pretty good? You came home late, figured you must have had a bloody good time.”

Buffy shot him a glare. “Yes. My night was pretty good. Great even.” She turned to the brunette by her side with a grin. “I even met a really cute guy.”

Fred giggled. “Really, where?”

“Outside of the Bronze. He walked me home,” Buffy said, her voice slightly smug as she shot Spike another look. So there, she thought with triumph.

“Are you gonna see him again?” Fred asked eagerly, brushing a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

“I guess. He gave me his dorm number. Maybe I’ll call some time.” Buffy couldn’t keep her own excitement out of her voice. She was kinda looking forward to seeing Riley again. He’d been so nice and sweet and funny…he was just what she needed.

“Dorm?” Fred repeated. “He’s in college?”

Buffy nodded. “Freshman at UC Sunnydale. Speaking of which, how does a small town like this have a university?”

“Mayor wanted it,” Gunn replied, “It was a big thing a few years ago. Somehow the Mayor got approval and a lot of donations. It’s small but nice. They have professors from UCLA and other smaller colleges near by who come to teach.”

“Cool,” Buffy responded though she was wondering why a guy from Iowa would want to go to a local college like UC Sunnydale.

Soon, Buffy was picking up her pace while both Gunn and Fred hung behind. Spike was still keeping his pace, just up ahead of Buffy.

She sprinted up to him and started running besides him. He turned, giving her a look. “What?” he demanded.

“Computer class project,” Buffy responded, “do you have a partner?”

“Why?” Spike asked.

“Well I thought it would be easier if we were partners. We live in the same house and it’s easier for us to get together and work on it,” Buffy explained, waiting for his answer.

Spike didn’t reply right away and instead picked up his pace a little. Buffy just kept moving beside him. “If you don’t want to just say so,” she snapped, “I thought it would be easier since it’s a long-term project.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Fine.”

“Good,” she shot back and they lapsed into silence once more.

After a minute, Spike let his gaze rove over her, watching her run. She had a good form and had obviously not been lying when she said she ran a lot.

Now it was Buffy’s turn to demand, “What?”

“Nothing,” Spike said defensively before reluctantly admitting, “you’re a good runner. Nice form.”

“Thanks,” Buffy responded warily, watching him with narrowed eyes.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Oh come on, I was just…” he trailed off and muttered, “Giving you a compliment.”

“Right,” Buffy said sarcastically, “because you’re so nice.”

“No,” he said slowly, “because it’s true. You know what? Never mind.” He instantly picked up his pace.

Buffy just ran faster, keeping up with him. “Are you saying I’m a better runner than you?” she asked slyly.

Spike scoffed. “No! I’m saying you have a nice form. Not, ‘you’re the best runner here’.”

She knew she was goading him but she couldn’t help it. “So,” she began, drawing the word out, “let’s prove it.”

“By doing what?” Spike asked as the turned the corner.

“A race,” Buffy replied, a smirk tugging at her lips. Her eyes glittered with excitement at the very prospect. She was always competitive and stubborn and Spike was exactly the same.

Spike eyed her. “Are you serious?”

“What? Afraid you’ll lose?” Buffy provoked, picking up her pace once more. Spike immediately started running faster, making Buffy struggle to keep up with him.

“Deal,” he said with a smirk of his own and took off.

Buffy put almost all her energy into her legs, listening to the steady pound of her feet hitting the cement. Faster, faster, faster, the mantra repeated itself in her head. They were nearly head-to-head, moving past the other runners and the coach.

Gunn’s eyes narrowed as he watched two distinct figures sprint ahead. “Hey,” he said, interrupting Fred, “isn’t that Buffy and Spike?”

Fred squinted at the sprinters. “Omigod,” her eyes widened in surprise, “it is. What are they…” she trailed off, watching them disappear down a hill.

Gunn chuckled and started running faster. “They’re racing. I gotta see this.” Fred quickly followed and they ducked the thoroughly confused runners, trying to follow the two blondes.

Spike could see Buffy out of the corner of his eye. Her face was red and sweaty, her short ponytail gone, strands of hair sticking to her face. Her eyes were narrowed and focused and she was drawing up on him. Damn.

The only sound they could hear was their labored breath and the sound of their shoes hitting the sidewalk.

Buffy pushed herself harder, briefly wishing she’d recently bought a new pair of running shoes. Her skin was hot and flushed and her shirt and shorts were uncomfortably sticking to her sweaty skin. Not that Spike looked that much better. His hair was now in curls, the gel gone and his shirt damp and clinging to his abs.

Oh, who was she kidding? Buffy broke down, confessing to herself the one thing she’d been avoiding. He looked hot. Sweaty Spike was far more attractive than he should be.

Buffy could see the school about a half-mile away and took as deep a breath as she could and started full out sprinting. Spike, seeing the change in her stride, followed suit as the final stretch lay ahead of them.

Her legs felt like lead, perspiration was running down her face, back and pooling in her bra, which was really gross, but dammit, she was going to win. The school was only a few blocks ahead of her now, and she pushed herself to her top speed, ignoring her body which was screaming ‘Stop! Stop!’

She was nearly at the school when Spike, with one final burst of speed, brushed past her. Oh no you don’t, she thought, glaring at his back. With all the strength she could muster, Buffy let herself practically fly past him, and on to the school grass where she collapsed by the track.

Not even a second later, Spike collapsed next to her. For a moment they laid there, both breathing too hard to speak.

“That…” Buffy managed between pants, “was awesome.” She sat up a little, resting back on her elbows, tipping her head back as a small smile tugged on her lips.

She turned to see, with much surprise, Spike had a small grin of his own on his lips. “Yeah,” he admitted, “it was.”

“And I,” Buffy felt the need to point out, “won.”

Spike didn’t respond for a moment as he sat up, copying Buffy’s pose. “Fine,” he grumbled, “you did. But only by a half-second.”

Another silence settled between them before Buffy fell back down and let out a groan. “Oh god I’m never getting up again.”

Spike let out a weak chuckle as they lay there, waiting for the rest of the group.

*************

“Welcome to the team, Buffy,” Coach Adler congratulated her after practice. At first the woman seemed angry but she reluctantly grinned a little when she found out Buffy won.

“You have the kind of determination I need on this team,” she told the blonde and handed her the required paperwork.

“Thanks,” Buffy said gratefully and slowly made her way to the locker room to shower and change.

Fred was waiting there for her. “Don’t tell me,” she said with a grin, “you’re on the team! And on varsity!”

Buffy nodded, breaking out into a wide smile. “Yep!”

Fred impulsively leaned forward to hug her new friend. “This is so exciting! I can’t believe you beat Spike though. But he didn’t seem all that upset.”

Buffy shrugged. She’d been wondering about Spike’s reaction as well. When the rest of team had showed up, they’d both pried themselves off the field and stumbled over to their respective teams.

She’d barely said two words after their brief discussion immediately after they’d finished. Which also begged the question, where was her ride home? She’d be assuming a lot to think Spike would have waited for her.

Once Buffy had showered and put on her clothes, she walked out of the locker room, shielding her eyes from the sun, looking around half-heartedly to see if Spike was there.

“Summers!” She knew that voice. Buffy turned to see Spike standing by his car. “Come on,” he urged and Buffy followed, dazed.

The drive home was fairly quiet, but Spike hadn’t been rude, just civilly polite. He’d asked whether she’d made the team or not and Buffy had responded equally polite.

At the house, Buffy went up to her room and quickly changed into a pair of light-weight gray sweatpants and a simple light blue T-shirt. Leaving her hair up and damp, Buffy trudged back down stairs where Spike was standing by the counter, holding up his keys and money.

“My dad and your mum are still at the gallery,” he informed her and then gestured to the money. “They left it for us. Hungry?”

Surprised at his offer, she found herself nodding. “Yeah,” she paused as she slipped into her flip-flops and followed him out the door, “where’re we going?”

He smirked at her. “Don’t worry, you’ll like it.”
Agreement by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the reviews! I know, wow, I'm adding another chapter so soon but I had part of it written and finished it...so here it is. Enjoy and thanks to my beta!
Chapter 9: Agreement


“Oh my god,” Buffy groaned as the heavy, greasy smell assaulted her nose. “What is that?”

“Bacon,” Spike said proudly as if he’d just found a goldmine.

Buffy stared at the small white building dubiously. The place was nothing spectacular or even remotely appealing and the smell…good god the smell was overwhelming. She glanced at Spike who was happily walking into the diner.

She followed him reluctantly as he sat down in a red plastic booth and took two menus from between the salt and pepper and the napkin dispenser. Spike handed her a menu and Buffy opened it, looking at all the greasy choices.

A waitress dressed a white apron with orthopedic shoes walked over to them and gave Spike a smile, revealing crooked teeth. “Hey, darlin’. Ready to order?”

“Hey Doris,” Spike replied with a smile, “I’ll have my usual.”

Doris turned to Buffy, with an expectant look on her cake-frosting face.

“Um…” Buffy glanced at the menu again, “I’ll have scrambled eggs and toast with some water.”

Doris nodded and turned back to Spike with another smile. “You’re food’ll be out in a few.”

As soon as the waitress disappeared into the back, Buffy turned to Spike. “I can’t believe you’re known here,” she hissed.

“I’ve been going here since dad moved us to Sunnyhell. They serve breakfast all day,” Spike shrugged, “I like it.”

Buffy leaned back in her seat. “Doris seems to really like you,” she teased, watching Spike’s face as he smirked a little.

“Well I’m just a likeable bloke,” he replied easily.

Buffy snorted. “Yeah right.” She took the straw wrapper on the table and started fiddling with it.

“Hey!” Spike protested, but his still had a grin on his face. “You don’t think I’m…likeable?” his tone was slightly suggestive and Buffy made a face.

“I don’t think you’re anything,” she responded, emphasizing her double meaning.

Spike just cocked his scarred brow. “Really?”

“Really,” Buffy confirmed. She silently marveled at their harmless banter that was starting to border on flirting. How exactly had that happened? Gotta change the topic, she decided.

“So, Giles said you guys moved here from England. What was it like?”

“Moving?” Spike asked, knowing what she really meant.

“No,” Buffy rolled her eyes. “England.”

Spike shrugged. “Rainy. We lived just outside of London in a nice house that my mum had inherited.”

Was it her imagination or did Spike tense up a little? Buffy wondered. “Where is she, your mom?”

Spike’s gaze drifted down to the table. “She died when I was ten.”

Buffy blinked, embarrassed. “Oh, sorry. I didn’t…sorry,” she stuttered.

“It happened along time ago,” was Spike’s response. There was a brief silence before Spike questioned her. “You were living in LA, right?”

Buffy nodded with a slight frown. “Yeah?”

“So, tell me about it,” Spike said, crossing his arms. He was looking at her, waiting for…what exactly?

Buffy tapped her fingers on the table. “Um…”

“Here’s your food,” Doris announced, setting down two steaming plates in front of them with two glasses of water. “Anything else?”

Buffy shook her head and Spike added, “No thanks.” Doris nodded and walked off to the next table.

Stalling, Buffy took several bites of her eggs, which weren’t that bad. “Mmm…these are good,” she said, sounding surprised.

Spike nodded in agreement, shoveling his pancakes into his mouth. “Yeah,” he swallowed, “they’ve always had good food. The head cook, Melinda, has been working here for over fifty years.”

“You know the cook?” Buffy asked incredulously.

“I told you I come here a lot,” Spike reminded her. “Now, come on tell me, what’s it like living in LA?”

Buffy shrugged, hesitant. “You know, busy, lots of people. It’s LA. Best thing is being near all the awesome shoes.”

Spike grimaced at her shoes comment. “That’s it? Shoes? What the bleedin’ hell did you do all the time, shop?”

“Um…yeah kinda,” Buffy admitted, taking a sip of her water and glared at him suspiciously. “Why are you asking, anyway?”

Spike feigned innocence. “It’s customary when two people live together to know about each other.”

Buffy rolled her eyes as she took another bite of toast. “Yeah right. Seriously, why are you asking?”

Spike’s eyes narrowed. “Are you saying I can’t ask? What if I just wanna know?”

“That’s a stupid answer,” Buffy snapped quickly. She jabbed at her eggs, no longer hungry.

Spike snorted. “No it’s not. But what you just said was a stupid retort.”

Buffy shook her head at him. “Why do you keep pressing this?” she asked.

For a second Spike faltered. “Maybe…I may have judged you a little…harshly,” he shrugged, “or not.”

“Wow, charming,” she said sarcastically, finishing her water.

“Hey, I’ve known you for, what, less than a week?” Spike reminded her, “I don’t really know you and it’s not like you’re all that forthcoming with the details.”

“Fine,” Buffy replied, tilting her chin defiantly. “Let’s get to know each other. Let’s be the bestest of buds.” She gave him a mock-saccharine grin and then glared at him.

“See, that’s not really all that encouraging,” Spike said in response, pointing at her with his fork.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Do you really care that much?”

“Well…” Spike began, “no.” He sighed. “But your mum and my dad like each other a lot, and I know somewhere inside of you, you want is best for your mum,” he paused, adding quietly, “especially with everything that happened with your dad. So I figure, we try to make nice and make them believe in their happy family.”

There was a moment before Buffy responded. “Okay,” she stopped and then added, “but that doesn’t mean I particularly like you very much.”

Spike couldn’t help but grin a little and cocked his head. “Mutual.”

***************

After the two blondes finished their early dinner, Spike drove Buffy back and dropped her off, claiming he had something to do.

With the house to herself, Buffy decided to indulge in her favorite activity, sketching. It’d been a while since she’d really worked on a drawing with her full set of pencils and was eager to use the lushness of the backyard with its massive trees as her subject.

She was looking through her drawing materials when she realized the last sketchbook she’d brought still had all the pictures of him in it. Buffy set the book back into the box. She definitely didn’t want to look at those today.

Instead, Buffy settled for some unlined paper from the computer room. It was far from the best paper to use and she didn’t know where her mother stored her own sketching materials so this would have to do.

Buffy wandered out to the back porch and sat down on the swing, ready to draw. Her hand easily moved across the paper by instinct, catching with broad strokes the trunk and branches of the trees. She worked on the finer details, smudging the charcoal and drawing with short little flicks of her pencil.

She was so immersed into her drawing; she missed the ringing of her cell phone beside her until the fourth ring. Picking it up, Buffy brought it up to her ear.

“Hello?”

“Buffy?” She knew that voice- it was Willow.

“Hey! What’s up?” Buffy greeted warmly, setting her papers aside and curling up on the bench.

“Nothing really. So, how did cross-country go?” Willow asked, sounding eager.

“What? Fred didn’t tell you?” Buffy responded, knowing the brunette must have said something.

“Okay,” Willow admitted, “she did but I wanna hear it again.”

Buffy laughed. “Okay, well first we…”

******

Willow had laughed when she heard that Buffy had actually beaten Spike in the impromptu race.

“Was he super mad?” Willow asked after another burst of laughter.

“Actually, not really. We went out to eat,” Buffy responded thoughtfully.

Willow was silent for a moment and Buffy thought maybe she’d hung up.

“Willow?” Buffy asked cautiously, “You there?”

“Yeah,” the redhead responded, clearing her throat. “Was it a…date?” The last word was almost whispered but Buffy heard it clearly.

“No Way!” Buffy said firmly. “It was the furthest thing from a date. We just went to get something to eat,” she paused, unsure how to ask her next question. “Willow, you never really told me earlier, do you…like Spike? As in romantically?”

“Well…” Willow halted briefly, “it’s more of an ‘I used to’ thing. I don’t know. Besides, he’d never really like a girl like me.”

Buffy frowned. “A girl like what? Smart, funny and pretty?”

“Buffy, come on, I’m a total nerd,” Willow said dejectedly.

“No you’re not!” Buffy instantly responded, feeling bad for her friend. “Nerds don’t go to the Bronze or have friends. They stay at home and stare at the computer for hours.”

“I’m on the chess team and the mathalete program,” Willow reminded the blonde.

“So?” Buffy shot back, “It means you’re smart not a nerd.”

“I don’t know…” Willow trailed off.

“Listen, you don’t have to answer this, but do you also like…Xander?” Buffy asked, hoping she was prying.

“No!” Willow said immediately. “Well, I did up until freshman year. Then it sort of disappeared; I guess it was kinda stupid to hold on. He only ever thought of me as friend, nothing more.”

“Willow, you need to stop thinking guys won’t like you,” Buffy reprimanded. “Now you’ve officially given me a job. I’m going to get you a boyfriend.”

“No, no, no,” Willow protested. “That’s a bad idea.”

“Why?” Buffy asked. “Come on, you’ve gotta have your eye on someone.”

She could almost see Willow biting her lip.

“Well,” she began, “there’s this guy, Oz. He’s a senior and plays for The Dingoes Ate My Baby.” The excitement in Willow’s voice picked up. “He’s playing tonight at the Bronze!”

Buffy nodded, satisfied. “Good. That’s where we’re going tonight and you’re gonna talk to Mr. Hottie. Now, all we have to do is find something fabulous for you to wear.”
Say It by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
sorry for the delay-once again, life's super busy so my updates for each story may only be once a week-sorry i'll try to get more frequent ones though
thanks for all the amazing reviews and enjoy this chapter!
thanks to my beta!
Chapter 10: Say it



“Do you want me to pick you up? My mom gave me the car tonight.” Willow’s voice crackled a little over the cell phone.

Buffy continued her inspection of her closet while feeling relieved her friend could drive her. After the incident a couple of nights ago, Buffy was reluctant to be walking alone. Hell, she’d almost resorted to asking her mother if she’d drive her to the Bronze to avoid walking.

“Yeah, that’d be great,” Buffy said, hoping Willow could hear the gratefulness in her voice.

“Cool!” Willow’s voice was gleeful. “I’ll pick you up in an hour!”

They both said their mutual goodbyes then Buffy clicked her phone off, shaking her head a little with a smile on her lips. She loved Willow’s infectious enthusiasm for life, something Buffy couldn’t help but want a piece of.

While leafing through her clothes, Buffy’s mind wandered back to the events of the afternoon from the race and the unexpected semi-…what was it anyway? A truce? Buffy mused, trying to find the right word to describe her odd deal with Spike.

He seemed to volley between hating her and grudgingly accepting her and Buffy couldn’t help but feel a little frustrated. Then again, she pointed out to herself, she’d only been there for a week, it’s not like she should expect him to sort out his feelings for the virtual stranger in his house in seven days.

Feelings. That word stuck in Buffy’s head like gum. Not that there were any feelings of the non-hatey variety. Okay, maybe hatey was harsh, they more resembled dislike. But still, dislike was a far cry from those kinds of feelings. The ones that made your stomach flutter and pulse quicken. The kind that made you want to be close, just to brush your arm against theirs.

With a sigh, Buffy finally decided on a simple pair of jeans and deep green tank top embellished on the V of the neck line and on the bottom. Her shoes consisted kitten heeled flip-flops.

She left her hair down, though there wasn’t much. Definitely growing her hair out, she determined.

And as for Spike? Spike who? Tonight, Buffy thought firmly, was about helping Willow with the band guy and having fun with friends.

The doorbell rang, snapping her out of her thoughts. She paused, listening for the tell-tale signs of a door being open and her mother greeting the newcomer warmly. “Hello, Willow. Are you here to see Spike?”

Buffy flew down the stairs at the mention of the redhead’s name, nearly colliding into Joyce.

“Hey Buffy,” Willow greeted, looking rather nervous. “Ready?”

“Oh!” Joyce glanced between the two girls. “I didn’t know you were friends with Willow, Buffy.”

The blonde nodded. “Yep. I’ll be back around…” she glanced at Willow who filled in, “nine-thirty.”

Joyce nodded in conformation. “Have fun,” she said, “see you later, Buffy. Nice to see you again, Willow. Tell your mother I said hello.”

“Will do,” Willow replied before being ushered out the door by Buffy.

After clicking the door shut, Buffy exhaled, partly out of relief and partly out of anticipation. “Sorry. Parent integrations are weird.”

Willow shrugged gamely. “I don’t mind. I like Joyce.”

“Hey Buff!” Xander yelled from the backseat, waving an arm out the window, Anya by his side.

“Hi!” Anya called out as well as Buffy slid into the front seat. “You look very nice today.” Before Buffy could thank her, she added, “But I really liked that leather skirt you wore the other night. Do you think I could borrow it sometime?”

“Sure,” Buffy replied easily and buckled her seatbelt. She’d sat with all three of them everyday at lunch along with Wes, Tara and Fred and enjoyed the group immensely. They were funny and sweet, each with their own quirks. Fitting in had never been so simple for her before. It was a nice feeling.

Willow was an extremely cautious driver, one who paused at old railroad crossings, religious with her speed and exaggeratedly glanced around her at any given time. This of course meant a three minute drive turned into a seven minute one.

“Hallelujah!” Xander cried out, bowing to the ground as Willow pulled her keys out of ignition.

“I was not that bad,” she huffed.

“No,” Anya corrected, her voice oddly chipper. “You were much worse.”

Even Buffy had to snicker, though quickly stopped at Willow’s sullen face. “Well,” Buffy commented lamely, “at least we know we won’t get into any accidents.”

Anya and Xander chortled and finally Willow relented, a reluctant smile on her lips. “Fine,” she mock-pouted, “make fun of the driver. Just wait till you don’t have a ride home.”

Buffy giggled a little as they stood in line, money in hand. The cover wasn’t particularly expensive or anything. In fact it was more of an annoyance since there wasn’t a special list.

The four paid their dues and went inside and headed straight for the nearest available chairs over in the back. Instantly the chatter resumed, mostly Anya telling stories about her job at the Magic Box, a funky shop on Main Street, and some sex-related topic.

“All I’m saying is blow jobs are hard and guys should be more thankful,” Anya insisted while the others looked away, embarrassed.

“Ahn, come on,” Xander said gently, trying to persuade his sorta-girlfreind from the sensitive topic.

“Well you are thankful,” Anya corrected herself, blithely ignoring Xander’s not-so-subtle hints. “But I’m saying there are other men out there who think women actually enjoying going down on them, like they receive some kind of pleasure from it. Are they insane?”

Buffy stifled her giggles at Anya’s rant. Though, she had to admit, Anya made a point. While her own experience wasn’t a considerable amount, Buffy knew guys who didn’t believe in reciprocity. The only man who had ever…Buffy stopped her train of thought stone cold. She instantaneously tuned into the conversation once again.

“…he is!” Willow was hissing in her ear. Following the redhead’s gaze, Buffy immediately understood her whispered words. On stage there was a shortish, spiky haired, serious looking guy on stage, guitar in hand. His concentration was on his fingers moving over the strings while the lead singer, a guy Buffy didn’t recognize, was singing into the microphone, watching the crowd.

“He’s cute,” Buffy replied, her gaze returning to the shorter man, presumably Oz.

Willow let a little sigh. “I like his hands,” she whispered, her eyes still on Oz. “And his cool hair. It changes, you know. Sometimes it’s blue or brown or-or even blonde!”

Buffy smiled at her friend. “You’ve got it bad,” she half-teased, making Willow’s face match her hair.

“No,” Willow replied indignantly, “I just like his hands.” Her smile betrayed her protest and Buffy nudged her playfully.

Anya noticed their whispered conversation and leaned forward. “What are we looking at?” She asked, surveying the mass.

“Willow’s lover,” Buffy replied with a straight face and Willow let out a choked sound of objection, her face purple.

Anya’s own face brightened. “Willow has a lover? Who?” She demanded.

“Will-huh? Love-huh?” Xander said confused, his brow furrowed.

“Willow. Lover,” Anya filled him in as she half-stood, peering over heads to find Willow’s supposed beau.

The redhead was still opening and closing her mouth, unable to form words as her face darkened further.

“Relax,” Buffy said, patting the redhead’s arm. “I’m just joking. Willow, take a deep breath before your heart stops.”

Willow complied and finally managed to say her words. “He’s not my lover! He’s just…” her face went dreamy, “Oz.”

“Oz?” Xander interjected, his gaze flickering upstage. “As in Oz the cool, calm, one-worded senior who is currently on stage?”

Involuntary, all eight eyes stared up at said guy. “Yep,” Buffy confirmed for Willow while she kept her gaze on the band.

“Well,” Anya began, taking a sip of her drink. “I think that’s great. Now Xander and I have someone to go on double…” Anya cut herself off, turning uncharacteristically quiet.

Xander cleared his throat nervously as Anya fiddled with her straw. The table plunged into silence.

“Well, um, I’m gonna go dance,” Willow said loudly and glanced at Buffy, who stood up.

“Yep,” Buffy said cheerfully, “dancing is me.”

The two girls left the couple behind and merged onto the dance floor with the hundreds of other bodies.

“Wow,” Buffy said into Willow’s ear, “that wasn’t totally awkward.”

Willow nodded sympathetically. “Sometimes that happens. One of them will mention something of the dating variety and…”

“Awkwardness ensues,” Buffy finished with a nod of understanding.

Instead of mulling over the antics of Xander and Anya’s relationship, the pair started dancing, Willow mostly keeping her eyes on the band and shuffling her feet nervously.

“Hey,” Buffy said suddenly. “Where are Fred, Wes and Tara?”

“Oh, Fred has family in town, Wes is stuck with homework and Tara…” Willow trailed off, frowning. “I’m not sure where she is. Maybe with her aunt or something.”

For a moment a brief look of guilt flashed across the redhead’s face before morphing into confusion. “She didn’t call me after school.”

From what Buffy gathered, Tara had lived with her aunt for nearly six months now after moving away from her overbearing family after her mother had died. Buffy couldn’t comprehend the pain Tara must have gone through considering how close the mother and daughter were. For a relatively shy girl, she was strong, Buffy noted.

As the song came to an end, Buffy and Willow slowed down their dancing, watching as the lead singer Devon said goodbye for the night.

“We’re The Dingoes Ate My Baby and we’re here every Thursday night,” he intoned and with a wink, jumped off the stage.

They continued to watch as the band packed up their equipment and the DJ started up the music again. The band was nearly off stage when, much to Buffy’s surprise, Gunn and Spike appeared, taking some of the heavier items.

“What’s Spike doing here?” Buffy wondered out loud.

“Oh, sometimes they help with loading and unloading the van. Didn’t you know he was going to be here?” Willow asked.

Then something occurred to the blonde. “That’s it!” she exclaimed. “That’s your in!”

Willow gave her a confused look. “Huh? My in to what?”

“To Oz,” Buffy explained eagerly. “You’re friends with Spike and Gunn, right? So, talk to them and then you’ll be talking to Oz.”

Willow visibly shrank back. “I don’t know. I mean, it’s not like Spike or Gunn and I are best buddies. We’re more friends indirectly.”

Buffy grabbed Willow by the arm. “Trust me. This will help.” When she still looked doubtful, Buffy added, “I’ll come with you, I promise.”

“Okay,” Willow allowed, fidgeting with the black top Buffy had insisted she wear. Her other hand went up to fiddle with a strand of her fiery hair.

With not-so-gentle tugs, the blonde managed to drag Willow with her to the back and then pushed her in front despite her protest.

“Hey guys,” Buffy greeted brightly and all heads turned to her. “What’s up?”

Willow added her own meek wave as the band continued to dumbly stare at them. Only Oz’s eye seemed to spark with intelligence.

“Hey Summers,” Spike drawled and Buffy reluctantly dragged her eyes to him.

“Hey Spike,” she replied tightly then remembered their…alliance. “Um…how are you?”

“Good,” Spike responded, shifting a little as he remembered their deal as well. “You?”

“Great,” Buffy said with a flash of a smile. Willow stood by her side anxiously as Oz walked over.

“Hey, Willow right?” His voice was low and gravely and had Willow swooning.

“Yep!” Willow responded with a jerk of her head. “A-And you’re Oz?” Her words were more of a question than statement.

“Yeah,” Oz replied and a smile tugged on the corner of his mouth. “What did you think?”

The creases in Willow’s brow deepened for a moment. “You mean about the music?”

Buffy watched the exchange happily, noting how Willow’s body was relaxing, her smiles easier.

“So, Buffy,” Gunn began as the band went out to start loading. “How’s Sunnydale treating you?”

She smiled. “It’s good. I’ve mostly…” Her words were cut off by a horrible shrill voice squealing Spike’s name.

“Spikey!” Harmony cried again joyously and jumped into her “boyfriend’s” arms.

“Er, Harmony,” Spike looked less than thrilled to see the ditzy blonde. “What are doing back here?” He asked, his voice harsh.

“To see you, silly.” Harmony replied, obliviously to Spike’s annoyance.

He ran his hand through his bleached locks. “Right. Um, I just gotta load this stuff up.”

The tension in Spike’s body was palpable as he picked up the amp and walked out to the car, Harmony on his heels. The blonde threw Buffy a death-glare, as if she’d done something wrong.

“That is my cue to leave,” Buffy mumbled after the blonde disappeared.

“Ditto,” Gunn said under his breath. “I’ll see ya later,” he said to Buffy before grabbing a box and taking out to the van.

Her gaze flickered to Willow and Oz who was both happily discussing some smarty-pants thing. She was fairly certain she heard the word ‘modem’ in there.

“Hey Wills, I’m gonna go back out,” she informed the redhead, who just nodded in acknowledgment.

As she left the room, Buffy could hear Spike’s solemn voice, low against Harmony’s prattle. “We need to talk.”

Gee, Buffy thought sarcastically, wonder what that’s all about. Without another glance behind her, Buffy made her way back to the table where Anya and Xander were sitting, no longer distant but cuddled together.

“Hey,” Xander said in surprise, untangling himself from Anya a bit. “You’re back,” he paused, “without Willow.”

Buffy smiled happily. “She’s talking to Oz,” she informed the pair.

“Good,” Anya said firmly and then turned to Xander, tugging on his shirtfront. “You promised me we would dance now.”

Xander stood up immediately, holding his hand out for Anya, who took it graciously. “Wanna come?” He offered but Buffy declined, not wanting to intrude.

“I’m kinda thirsty right now,” Buffy excused herself, pointing to the water in front of her.

Watching Xander and Anya dance, was an interesting sight. Anya pulled off her dance moves gracefully, her body wriggling to the beat. Xander, on the other hand, was a floppy, loosed-armed dancer who kept bumping into nearby groups.

“Hey,” A voice said, sounding pleasantly surprised, behind her and Buffy spun around to see Riley of all people standing there, a cup in hand.

“Fancy seeing you here,” Riley remarked than his face went blank. “Sorry, corny line.”

Buffy couldn’t help but smile. “You’re forgiven.” Glancing around him, Buffy questioned, “Who’re you here with?”

“Oh,” Riley looked behind him at a table of guys. “Some buddies of mine. But,” he paused almost shyly, “I don’t think they’ll notice if I’m not there for a minute.”

They shared a smile before Buffy motioned to an empty seat. “You’re welcome to sit down, you know.”

“Oh, thanks,” Riley sat down opposite her, placing his drink down on the table. “So how are you?” His words were clearly beyond just a casual inquiry.

“I’m okay,” Buffy said, her voice soft as her gaze remained trained on her water. “I got a ride here from a friend.”

“That’s good,” Riley acknowledged with a nod. “Let me know if you need a ride home though, I don’t mind.”

“Thanks,” Buffy said, tucking a stray hair behind her ear. “For the offer.” She cleared her throat. “Anyway, want to dance?”

Riley’s eyes shifted nervously. “Actually,” he paused, “I’m not that good at dancing.”

Buffy shrugged. “Nobody is, that’s the best part.” She flashed him another warm smile, hoping he’d take the hint.

“Okay then,” Riley said with a sharp exhale. “Let’s go!”

*****

“I don’t get why you want to see other people,” Harmony questioned, her face puzzled.

“Harm,” Spike stopped, “Bloody hell, we’re over.” Simple and direct seemed to work best with her.

“Over?” Harmony’s puzzled expression stayed in her blue eyes.

Or not, Spike thought grimly. “Harm, it’s been fun and you’re a wonderful bird…it’s just…” Spike shrugged, “I think we’d be better off-…”

“Are you breaking up with me?” Harmony cried, her voice jumping several octaves.

Now she gets it? Spike thought incredulously. “Well to be fair we were never really going out in the first place.”

Harmony’s mouth dropped open, her eyes wide in shock. “What?” She screeched unattractively. “How can you do this to me? I gave you the best bunch of,” she faltered for a moment, “w-weeks of my life!”

By now, Spike was officially ready to stop the ‘relationship’ they’d been having. He’d been conflicted, trying to determine if he was breaking up with Harmony because he really wanted to or because of someone else.


“Harm,” Spike said firmly but not meanly, “we’re over.”

The blonde’s eyes narrowed. “Ugh! You’re so….” Harmony let out a sound of frustration and spun on her high heel and huffed out of the back room.

Spike watched as she left the room and let out a small sigh of relief. He finally felt like he’d done something right since the last few months with Dru dumping him.

Harmony had been originally a distraction and, he was slightly ashamed to admit, a nice ‘pick-me-up fuck’. But somehow a day turned into a week and a week turned into a few weeks. Using people, women in particular, wasn’t something Spike prided himself to do but he had with Harmony and even if she didn’t object, a part of him did.

“Hey man, how’d it go?” Gunn asked, stepping into the room. When he immediately noticed the lack of Harmony’s babbling voice, he knew his friend had dumped her.

“My ears are still ringing,” Spike said dryly.

Gunn laughed and slugged Spike playfully. “You ready to head out?”

Spike nodded and motioned for Oz, who was still with Willow across the room. Spike could see him telling Willow to hold on before he walked over.

“What’s up?” Oz asked, looking between Gunn and Spike.

“Band left,” Gunn informed his friend but Oz just shrugged.

“Maybe Willow can give me a ride home,” Oz suggested, looking over at the redhead leaning against the wall. There was a glint of hopefulness in his eye and Spike nodded.

“Right then,” Spike replied, “Later.”

Oz nodded absently, already walking back over to Willow. Both Gunn and Spike headed out of the backroom and out into the main area, past the dance floor. As they walked by, Spike swore he caught a glimpse of who he thought was Buffy dancing with some tall, slightly older guy.

Mentally shrugging, Spike sat down at the table where Xander and Anya were sitting, sipping large gulps of their drinks, looking a little sweaty.

“Hey man,” Xander greeted. “What’s up?”

“You’ve seen Buffy?” Spike asked, looking around.

Xander pointed to a spot over Spike’s shoulder. “She’s there, dancing with some guy she met last time.”

Spike turned to see that the girl he’d thought was Buffy was indeed her and that she had her arms wrapped around some hulking git.

Standing up, Spike pushed his chair aside and walked over the couple, tapping Buffy on the shoulder.

“Time to go,” he informed her.

Buffy glared at him around Riley’s shoulder. “Willow’s taking me home.”

“Not if you’re gonna make curfew, Summers. Our house is on the opposite side of Oz’s.” Spike replied, casting a raised brow in the direction of the tall man she was dancing with. His arms were still loosely wrapped around Buffy but his face was contorted into confusion.

“Oz?” Buffy frowned for a moment then brightened. “Willow’s taking Oz home?”

Spike nodded. “Now, come on Goldilocks, say goodnight to,” he appraised Riley for a moment, “soldier boy here.”

“Buffy?” Riley said hesitantly, pulling back a little. He couldn’t quite figure out how Buffy knew the rude, shorter guy next to her.

Buffy turned to him with an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry, Riley. I gotta go. I’ll call you later, I promise.” And with that, she let go and went over to grab her jacket and purse.

Spike followed, waiting for Buffy to say her goodbyes and then led her out to his car.

“God,” Buffy said as she sat into the bucket seat, sounding annoyed. “Did you have to be so rude?”

Spike shrugged, flashing her a smirk. “Sorry luv.”

Buffy huffed, turning her head away from him as he pulled out into the street.

“So,” Spike began, “where do you know him from?”

Buffy’s face stayed turned. “None of your business.”

“All I’m saying,” Spike continued, ignoring her comment. “Is that you could do better than some soldier boy who can’t dress without being told to do so.”

Buffy finally faced him, eyes narrowed. “Oh, you mean like how you did better with Harmony?” she sneered.

Spike fell silent and his eyes stayed trained on the road. “I broke up with her,” Spike said after a moment.

“Oh,” Buffy instantly felt guilty. “I didn’t mean to, uh, say it like that.”

“Yeah you did,” Spike corrected her.

“Well, it’s just, she’s so…” Buffy trailed off, trying to find a less harsh word than stupid or dumb but Spike beat her to it.

“I’m not under any delusions Harmony would be winning a Nobel Prize anytime soon, but she isn’t all bad,” Spike defended.

“Right,” Buffy said softly, watching as Spike pulled into the driveway. As soon as he turned the engine off, Buffy stepped out. They went inside, her steps quiet and each headed into their respective rooms.

“Hey Summers,” Spike stage-whispered, causing Buffy to stop and turn around.

“Yeah?” she responded, holding on to the doorknob.

Spike smirked. “Tomorrow. Practice. Race.”

Buffy could feel a smirk of her own gracing her lips. “You’re on,” she promised.


A/N: harmony's line about the 'whole bunch of weeks' is taken from her actual line 'whole bunch of months'
Hidden by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
hey, thanks for all the great reviews! Thanks to my beta, she's awesome! Also, for anyone wondering, I promise the Spuffy will happen soon, but I don't want to rush it and make it fake. They don't quite trust/get along right now, but don't worry, it'll change...
Chapter 11: Hidden



There were many things in life that had surprised Buffy over time. But this was absolutely shocking.

“Y-you beat me!” She cried incredulously between heaving breaths.

A tired smirk flittered across Spike’s face as he flopped back on to the grass. “Yeah, I did.”

“But…” Buffy half-protested. She still couldn’t fathom what had happened in the last few minutes. Somehow, just as Buffy was nearly at the end, Spike had stolen her move from the day before and leaped ahead, landing in front of her.

Buffy, at first, had been livid but then she’d fallen to the ground, too exhausted to object. Till now.

“Summers, face it. I beat you, fair and square,” Spike added at her look.

“Ugh,” Buffy grumbled, struggling to sit up again. “I don’t get it! I mean, I so beat you yesterday…why…” her eyes narrowed, “what did you do?”

Spike scoffed, looking at the blonde like she’d just suggested he should stand on his head and count to twenty in Swedish. “I know you’re pissed about this, but now you’re just grasping for straws, luv. What could I possibly do?”

Buffy could feel her face reddening a little. Spike made a very good point, what could he do? She was mad and was saying stupid things. And did he just call her ‘luv’?

“Fine,” she mumbled out loud. “You beat me.” She quickly stood up and stalked off as fast as she could on her shaky, achy legs.

Spike watched Buffy leave, looking almost amused. Then, just to provoke her a little more, he called out, “Summers!”

Buffy half-turned around, her hand shielding her eyes as she waited for whatever Spike was going to say.

“Ten bucks says I beat you tomorrow!”

Buffy snorted and even from a distance she could see the smug smirk on Spike’s face. “You wish!” She called back, trying to sound indignant, but secretly she couldn’t wait for 3:30 the next afternoon.

******
“Poor Buffy,” Willow said sympathetically, watching as the blonde dropped her head on the table.

The pair was sitting at a booth in at the Espresso Pump, the local coffee place, and Willow was buying Buffy a ‘sorry you lost’ drink. Her theory was that given enough sugar, Buffy would be too hyper to fret over Spike’s victory.

“He beat me,” Buffy repeated, her voice muffled by the table.

Willow nodded, taking a gulp of her mocha. She’d seen the end of the race and Fred and Wesley had filled her in on the middle of it, adding their commentary. Willow had wisely decided not to mention any of the things said, especially Fred’s “they were so cute!” No need to further upset Buffy, she reasoned.

With a sigh, Buffy slurped her own mocha. She looked so dejected and Willow felt she had to say something helpful.

“Well, there’s the Central Invitational coming up this weekend,” Willow said cheerfully, “you’ll kick ass there.”

Buffy let out a loud groan at the reminder and Willow winced. Maybe that wasn’t the best thing to mention.

“O-oh!” Willow added, “Don’t forget you’re still racing Spike tomorrow. You’ll win then for sure.” She punctuated her words with a nod.

Then a small grin grew on her lips. “I’ll win and he’ll pay me ten bucks,” she said firmly.

“Sucker,” Willow said, a smile on her face now and the two girls giggled.

“Watcha laughing at?” The pair turned to see Xander with, as usual, Anya by his side as well as Tara.

“How I’m gonna kick Spike’s shiny white ass,” Buffy announced, earning a laugh from Xander.

“That I gotta see,” he said, sitting next to Willow. He instantly grabbed her mocha and took a sip only to make a face.

“Blech. Coffee,” he said, disgusted. Anya sat down next to him, her shoulder bumping his.

“That’s stupid,” she commented, “drinking that is like eating coffee ice-cream. It’s 99% sugar and 1% coffee flavor.”

“I-I can never drink the mochas here,” Tara added shyly as she sat down next to Buffy. “They make me too jumpy.”

“Ditto,” Willow said, her knee jiggling. She’d barely drunk any of the liquid but already she was restless.

Buffy took another sip of her coffee and then looked down at her watch and her face fell. It was just after 5:00 and she’d promised to be home before dinner.

Giles was cooking something, presumably British, and her mother had insisted that everyone would help out in the kitchen. Buffy had a feeling this was for her mother’s benefit, this way she could supervise the cooking. Her mother had always been very protective of her kitchen.

“So Buff, you haven’t told us what it’s like living with Spike Giles.” Xander’s words brought her back to attention.

“Oh, you know,” she began, feeling a little awkward, “It’s Spike. I mean, it’s not like I see him that much. Mostly at dinner or in the morning.”

“Does he sleep naked?” Anya asked suddenly, leaning in eagerly. “Harmony told me he sleeps in the buff.”

Buffy could feel the beet red blush staining her face. “Uh…” she was at a complete lost for words. “I don’t really-“

“Anya! Come on!” Willow admonished, her face slightly pink as well. “They’re practically step-siblings.”

“Well, we’re not really step…” Buffy’s correction was cut off by Anya.

“What? I was just wondering, god!” She huffed. “You’d think I was asking her what his penis looked like,” she muttered, sitting back in her seat.

Xander was shaking his head, glad Anya was pursuing the question. He also couldn’t help feel a little hurt. She was, after all, commenting about another guy’s personal habits and nakedness. But, he reminded himself, it wasn’t like they were exclusive, at least not purposefully. They weren’t together as boyfriend and girlfriend. Sometimes Xander wondered why. It wasn’t like Anya was bad in anyway she was just…Anya.

“Maybe we should talk about something else,” Tara suggested, glancing at Willow who nodded in agreement.

“Yep! New topic time! One that avoids mentioning Spike’s anything,” Buffy quickly added.

“Like say, what is going on between Fred and Wes?” Willow lowered her voice conspiratorially.

“Oh my god, did you see them leaving after school? Total sexual tension,” Anya confirmed.

“Okay! That’s it!” Xander said loudly, standing up. “I’m going to find my male friends and do something…manly.” With that, he maneuvered around Anya and walked out the door, leaving the girls giggling at his dramatic exit.

***********

“Buffy could you pass the salt and the-err-pepper,” Giles said hurriedly.

She complied and watched as Giles dumped some of each in the pot and stirred. Spike was currently juggling the extra potatoes while Joyce hovered of Giles’s shoulder, watching the bubbling mixture.

“William, please,” Giles turned to his son, sounding exasperated, “Leave the potatoes alone.”

Spike caught them both in one hand and tossed them on the table. He flashed Buffy a smirk and she rolled her eyes.

“You still sore about this afternoon?” Spike asked innocently as he sat down in a chair, propping his feet up.

Buffy shot him a death glare. “No,” she answered defiantly, “I’ll beat you tomorrow, big deal.”

Joyce, hearing their conversation, frowned. “What is this about beating?”

Buffy opened her mouth to mutter ‘nothing’ but Spike spoke first. “Just a race we did this afternoon. Buffy here is brassed off because I won and she didn’t.”

Joyce turned to her daughter, eyebrows raised. “Is that right?”

She was so going to kill Spike, Buffy thought fervently. “Not exactly,” she said hesitantly, “I beat him yesterday.”

“Oh?” Joyce crossed her arms. “And what started this…competition?”

Buffy shrugged under the scrutiny of her mother’s eyes. “We were just having fun, right Spike?” Her voice was falsely cheerful.

“Right!” Spike said brightly, his voice equally fake. “For fun.”

“Well, I for one am excited about this meet of yours on Saturday, Buffy,” Giles interjected.

“Me too,” Buffy half-lied. She was excited but also nervous. It was her first big, official meet ever. Fred had assured Buffy multiple times that it wasn’t a big deal, but for her it was.

“William do you have a meet as well?” Giles questioned as he added some more spices to the pot.

“It’s Spike, dad,” he responded automatically. No matter how many times he insisted on his nickname, his father stubbornly refused to call him anything but his full name. “And no, we don’t,” Spike added.

Joyce once again leaned over her boyfriend’s shoulder, eyeing the nearly done stew. “When’s your meet?”

Spike shrugged. Since cross country wasn’t his main sport like football, or as the Americans called it soccer, was; Spike didn’t pay much attention to the meets. He either found out through Gunn or Wes.

Giles turned off the stove and clapped his hands. “Dinner is officially ready.”

*********

Feeling stuffed from the unexpectedly delicious stew, Buffy slumped on the couch watching some reality show.

Her feet were bare and she wore a pair of casual pants paired with a simple T-shirt. Her hair was still slightly damp and pulled up in a half ponytail.

She was currently inspecting her nails which were ragged, bare and in desperate need of a good manicure. Not that she’d had one of those in a long while, Buffy thought. Her gaze returned to the TV after the commercials ended only to have her vision obscured by Spike walking past.

He sat down next to her and resumed his favorite position, his feet propped up by the low coffee table. Annoyed, Buffy scowled at him but he wasn’t paying any attention whatsoever.

“Look at the bloke, he’s about to puke his guts out. His face is practically green,” Spike commented, watching the TV with intensity.

“What are you doing?” Buffy demanded, momentarily catching Spike off guard.

“What?” He asked, sounding truly confused.

“You. Sitting here,” Buffy motioned to him and the couch.

Spike looked around, puzzled. “’m sorry, am I not allowed to sit here?” His voice was tinged with sarcasm.

“No. Yes.” Buffy stopped and took a breath. “Why are sitting here with me?”

Spike rolled his eyes at her and turned back to the TV. “It’s called being civil. Look into it, luv.”

That was the second time he’d called her that, Buffy instantly noticed but didn’t comment on it.

She finally relented and they sat in silence watching the show. Well, not quite silence. Spike, Buffy was discovering, was an avid talker while watching TV. Not exactly directly talking to her but adding comments to just about everything.

“Nasty tasting buggers,” Spike said after a truly disgusting display of a contestant eating a thick earthworm.

Buffy’s faced scrunched up. “Ew,” she paused for a moment, giving Spike a suspicious look. “Are you implying that you’ve actually eaten a worm before?”

“Once,” he answered casually as if she’d asked if he’d ever gone to the grocery store. “On a dare.”

At Buffy’s horrified expression, he elaborated. “I was very pissed. Drunk of my ass and Harris decides it would be amusing to see what I would and wouldn’t do…” he trailed off. “Turns out, there isn’t much I won’t do.”

“Oh god, that is nasty,” Buffy replied, making a ‘blech’ noise. “I can’t believe Xander made you do that.”

“Yeah, well, that wasn’t the worst of it,” Spike muttered under his breath but unfortunately, Buffy didn’t miss it.

She scooted closer to Spike and nudged him with her foot. “Tell me,” she demanded, “what’d he make you do?”

“No,” Spike replied firmly, pushing her with a light shove.

“Yes,” she countered, poking him with her finger now. “You have to.” Buffy wasn’t sure why she was pushing this but it was funny to see Spike so closed-lipped about the dares. Maybe if she didn’t get them out of Spike, Xander would tell her.

“No,” Spike repeated, louder and much firmer than before. “Not if you paid me all the money in the world, Summers. No bloody way.”

Finally, Buffy crossed her arms and with a huff, resumed watching the end of the show. “Meanie,” she muttered but it was almost playful.

“Annoying bint,” Spike rejoined.

“Asshole.”

“Brat.”

“Worm-eater.”

“Hey!”

************

After another couple hours of mindless reality shows with Spike, Buffy nearly crawled upstairs, exhausted. She wasn’t sure why she was so tired, but she caved into the temptation of a nice, comfy, warm bed.

Buffy stripped off her clothes and slipped on a pair of silky shorts and tank top and slipped into bed. Just moments after turning her bedside lamp off, she was drifting off to sleep.

The sound of thunder cracking in sky was deafening and followed by a blinding strike of lightning. Rain was falling heavily now, in big sticky blobs at a rapid pace.

She could feel the car slipping a little as they made a sharp left turn. “I hate you! How could you do this to me?”

“Dammit Buffy, please you have to understand-“

“Understand what?!” The rain was falling almost in sheets now, a relentless cascade of water blurring the windshield.

“I love you, Buffy!”

“You lied! You lied to me!” Tears were pouring down her face, matching the flow outside.

“I was going to tell you, I swear Buffy. I was going to tell you.”

“When? When it suited you? When you had no other choice? All this time…”

“It’s over, I promise Buffy. We’re over, almost officially. There are a few papers I still need to sign. I’ve already moved out months ago. Please, Buffy believe me.”

“Then why do you still have it?” She pointed to the incriminating piece of metal.

Silence.

This is over. I’m done. I…loved you, I really thought I did.”

“No, Buffy, god no.” He turned to face her, just for a moment. A car honked, loud and he gripped the steering wheel, jerking hard. The car swerved, making her stomach lurch painfully. They were going fast, forty-five, fifty miles in hour.

Too fast.

“Oh god!”



Buffy jolted awake, her breath coming in hard pants, her face and body covered in sweat. Bile rose to her throat as the memories flashed into her mind. She could remember with bone-chilling details everything…

Buffy stumbled out of bed and into the bathroom, shutting the door quickly. She leaned over the toilet just as the contents of her stomach spewed out of her mouth.

Sagging against the porcelain, she closed her eyes. They burned and she swallowed hard against the lump in her throat. She tried to take a deep breath and exhale but it came out a strangled gasp.

Unable to hold back any longer, Buffy’s tears spilled over, faster and faster until she was full-out sobbing, her whole body trembling.

Slowly, the memories faded a little, becoming less harsh now that she was awake. Her stomach even felt marginally better.

Buffy pulled herself up from the cool surface and flushed the toilet and washed her face and hands, hoping no one had heard her.
Celebration by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the reviews and, as usual, thanks to my amazing beta. Enjoy the chapter and read my comment at the end!
Chapter 12: Celebration


“Pay up.”

Spike glared down at Buffy’s outstretched hand before sighing loudly and reaching into his deep pockets for money. When he drew up an empty fist, Spike practically snarled. “Bloody hell.”

Buffy smirked at him, crossing her arms. “Guess you owe me now. With interest.”

“You’re vicious, you know that?” Spike’s rhetorical question was loud as he stomped off in the direction of his car, Buffy on his heels. Right, he remembered, he was giving her a ride since Willow was at some math thing.

“We made a bet,” Buffy corrected him, “I’m just honoring that.”

Spike just rolled his eyes as he unlocked the car. “Get in.”

Buffy obeyed, slipping into the deep seat and buckled herself in. Her damp hair clung to her neck as she leaned back against the headrest. “Funny, I remember when you told me to get out of the car.” She looked up at him with wide-eyed innocence and he shot her a look that clearly said ‘don’t push it.’

It was then Buffy noticed how much more…well, if not comfortable, then civil they were to each other. She wasn’t sure but she swore something had changed…shifted. Maybe it was their banter the evening before or…she froze. Had Spike heard her last night?

As the thought ran through her mind, Buffy glanced at him quickly as if the answer was written on him somewhere. He didn’t seem different and he wasn’t acting drastically different so everything must be fine, she decided. Absolutely fine.

**********

Faster.Faster.Faster.

The words fell in rhythm of the steady pound of her feet moving. Buffy breezed past another girl.

Stray pieces of hair were sticking to her face and neck, she was sweating profusely in her tank top and shorts, but it felt great.

Buffy turned the corner and ran up the hill, which was mercifully shady. When she emerged from the shadows, the sun was hot against her skin again. Up ahead, Buffy could see a girl with a long brown ponytail swinging. She was really good, Buffy noticed even from a distance.

Buffy pushed herself a little more. She could handle it; they were at least past the halfway mark, and closing up on three-quarters into the race. She focused on using the muscles in her thighs, her legs going up and down at a quicker pace.

Slowly and almost cautiously, Buffy began to catch up the girl ahead. She was most likely the one in the lead and that meant she didn’t have to push herself to extremes…yet.

The girl glanced behind her, hearing Buffy’s footsteps increasing and frowned. She picked up her own pace a little. It was a subtle move, but clearly implicated the brunette’s challenge.

Buffy wasn’t stupid. This girl knew what she was doing; she was good at running and obviously felt confident enough to begin an unspoken race between them.

Not that Buffy didn’t want to take her down a peg or two.

They kept at it, trying to one-up each other in speed and stride. Currently, they were head-to-head, but with the end coming up, Buffy knew that wasn’t going to last.

She had a vague memory of how the route was set and Fred had told her that they would have hit the ‘one-fourth of a mile left’ mark when the passed an old, worn stone barn foundation, which was incidentally, just up and to the left between two large oak trees.

The brunette obviously knew this and gave Buffy a quick glance as they ran along a curve, revealing the ruins in full view.

Then, almost simultaneously, both Buffy and the girl shot off, using everything in them. Buffy could feel her breath coming in quick spurts, trying to keep up with her sprinting pace.

The girl was edged just a bit further and Buffy kept it that way, but never let it the distance increase by more than a couple of feet. It would keep the brunette nervous, Buffy reasoned, if she kept herself near, but not ahead.

A rather steep hill loomed before them and Buffy groaned internally. Of course there would be a hill at the end, she thought sarcastically. What better place was there?

At the top of the hill, Buffy’s legs felt like lead and burned, but she could see the crowd not too far away. The most beautiful red line was drawn across the path and Buffy knew she was going to make it.

With one last final spurt of energy, Buffy pushed herself to her maximum speed, her legs moving automatically. She pushed aside the voice in her mind screaming to stop and kept going.

They were now running alongside of each other and the brunette looked pissed. She couldn’t run faster, she didn’t have the energy for that and the rest of the length.

Buffy was surging ahead, if only by an inch or two, which seemed to further enrage the brunette. She forced her stride to widen, taking fewer steps and covering more space.

The line was a mere ten feet away and the brunette was leading. Damn, Buffy thought, thoroughly annoyed.

Then, with an involuntary grin, Buffy leaped forward, using the trick both she and Spike had used on each other, and practically flew across the finish line, a full foot and half before the other girl.

In the instant her foot touched the other side of the red line everything sped up, as if someone had pressed the fast forward button.

Several people accosted her, pressing around her on all sides. Coach Adler rushed forward, a bright smile on her otherwise hard face.

Cheers from her non-running friends erupted from the other side of her and Buffy turned, a wide grin on her face. Willow squeezed Buffy extra-tight, and the two girls engaged in the atypical jumping a squealing ritual.

A tap on Buffy’s shoulder alerted her that her mother and Giles were standing behind her, their own smiles gracing their faces.

“We’re so proud of you,” Joyce announced, “Winning on your first meet and everything.”

Buffy just kept grinning. “Thanks!” She knew it was a little stupid, being so excited when it wasn’t a major meet but winning made it seem like the biggest deal in the world.

“Well, pet, aren’t you glad you trained with me? Otherwise the brunette would have left you in the dust.”

Buffy turned to face Spike and gave him a look. “Please, training? Our races were brutal. And,” she tilted her chin up, “I could so have beaten her without any ‘training’.” A bluff for sure, but she was pretty certain he wouldn’t call her on it.

“Right,” Spike replied, drawing out the word. “Well, congratulations anyway.”

The words brought a smile back on Buffy’s face and in the strangest impulse ever, she wrapped her arms around him. It lasted for a second, brief, but just the single embrace sent her stomach all…fluttery.

She yanked her arms away, resting them awkwardly at her side. Buffy knew there was some attraction she felt for Spike, but that wasn’t inherently bad. But what she knew was bad was the weird fluttery feelings and unnecessary touching.

“Um thanks,” Buffy mumbled, “in case I needed a little tuning.”

Spike shifted a little, looking over her shoulder. “Right. Yeah, um, Gunn’s over there, he’s giving me a ride.” And with that, he almost ran away.

Stupid, Summers, Buffy scolded herself. Did she not understand the concept of parents are dating, ergo almost-step-brother?

Buffy shook her head briefly and then turned to Xander, the driver of the day. “Hey, give me a ride?” Her smile was back. An awkward moment was not going to ruin her happy.

*********

“So Bronze tonight?” Buffy asked Willow, cradling the phone between her ear and shoulder. They’d agreed to do a little impromptu celebration after Buffy had won the race.

“Yep. Unless you want to see a movie with Wes and Fred,” Willow offered.

Buffy’s nose scrunched up. “Aren’t they on a date?” She asked, confused.

Willow sighed and Buffy could almost see her rolling her eyes. “It’s a non-date.”

“Ahh.” Buffy knew exactly what that meant: they both liked each other but were too shy to actually say the words out loud.

“Right,” Willow confirmed, “so the rest of us are going the Bronze. Oz is playing tonight and he asked me to come watch him.” Buffy smiled at how Willow’s voice picked up at the very mention of Oz’s name.

Yep, Buffy thought, there’s no doubt about it, Willow’s smitten. And, if she wasn’t mistaken, Oz was pretty smitten back. It was a smit-fest.

“I’ll pick you up in an hour or so.”

“Good,” Buffy replied, already pulling out her party-clothes. “I’ll see you then.”

It took her a good fifteen to settle on an outfit consisting of a swishy skirt with high heels and a shimmery silver top with thin straps crisscrossing on the back. Far more fancy than usual but she and Willow decide to go all out.

Her make-up was light, and her lips coated a shiny pink. She wore her hair straight, the blonde tresses glinting in the light thanks to a shine spray. Buffy smiled, pleased with her reflection.

The phone rang, jarring her out of her appraisal and she picked it up. “Hello?”

“Buffy?” It was a male voice, familiar yet not.

“Yes,” she replied warily, waiting for an introduction.

“Hi, it’s, uh, Riley. Riley Finn. Sorry to impose and all-“ Buffy cut him off with a question.

“How did you get my number?” She asked, suspiciously. While she would have given it to him, the opportunity hadn’t arisen and him calling was definitely odd.

“Well,” Riley began sounding sheepish, “I have a pretty good memory and I remembered your address, from when I walked you home. So, I looked it up in the phone book, pretty stupid huh?” He let out a small, nervous laugh.

Buffy relaxed a little at his explanation. “I’ll admit it’s a little…” she paused, unsure how to say it out loud.

“Creepy,” Riley finished. “I normally never go to such extremes, but, uh, I really wanted to ask you out tonight and I didn’t want to go to your house, so this seemed better.”

“This is better,” Buffy confirmed. “And I completely erase any creepy-related judgments of you.”

Riley let out a sigh of relief. “Oh, good ‘cause I was wondering if you’d like to go out tonight, or another time.”

“Um…” Buffy bit her lip. “We’re having a sort of celebration thing for my meet today, but you’re welcome to join us.”

“A meet?” Riley questioned, “You a runner?”

“Yeah,” Buffy responded, feeling a little silly. “Yeah, I am.”

“Well, I’d love to join the celebration, if your friends wouldn’t mind,” Riley added quickly.

“No, I’m sure they won’t. So, I’ll meet you at the Bronze? My friend Willow reserved a big table and booth in the back.”

“I’ll look for you,” Riley replied.

“Cool,” Buffy said and then wished she hadn’t, it sounded so weird. They said their quick goodbyes and she hung up the phone.

Once last glance in the mirror confirmed she was ready to go out and celebrate. And have an actual date. With a guy. A nice guy. This, Buffy told herself, is what you deserve.


A/N: Buffy's future meets and practices-unless super important-will not be as detailed as they have been. And all of you, don't worry, more Spuffy soon! Understand, I don't want to rush it and make it fake-it's gonna be a process. Thanks to all of you readers!!
Asking by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks everyone for the reviews! I hope you all enjoy this chapter!

IMPORTANT: These next two weeks are going to be kinda tough for me, lots of tests and projects and then exams. :( This means updates are going to be sparse, but I'll promise to try and get a couple in. Thanks for understanding and I'll be back for sure after school ends (yay)
Chapter 13: Asking


Buffy sat on her bed early Sunday morning, reflecting on the evening before. It had been fun. Willow had called early enough to get them a large table where everyone, dubbed the Scoobies for some odd reason, had assembled.

Buffy had enjoyed the apple martini Anya had snuck in for her as a present, which had given her a slight buzz. Willow and Xander had made a little impromptu ‘plaque’ that consisted of a piece of paper decorated with glitter and magic markers declaring Buffy “The Best Female Runner”, in respect for Wesley.

She’d laughed at the gifts, whole-heartedly enjoying herself. A short while later, Riley had joined them, looking like the nice guy he was and politely engaged in conversation with her friends.

It had been slightly awkward, but Buffy was happy no one was outwardly annoyed by anyone. So, all in all, it’d been a fun night, a good one.

And then as Riley had walked her home, he kissed her cheek like a gentleman and asked to take her out again, which Buffy happily agreed to.

Now, sitting on her bed and staring up at the ceiling, Buffy felt…content. It was a certain feeling she hadn’t had in a long while and she never knew how much she’d missed it. With all the things she’d done with Faith…followed by…God, she couldn’t even think of his name. It hurt too much.

Buffy wondered if it would always feel that way, a punch in the stomach and break in her heart.

*************

“Why not, Spikey?” Harmony pouted, crossing her arms over her ample chest.

“Because, Harm, we’re not together anymore,” Spike explained as patiently as he could.

He had been walking towards his locker before school, when an arm reached out and yanked him into the supply closet. Instantly, full lips pressed against his, the doorknob digging into his back.

It had been Harmony and she had conveniently forgotten all about their ‘break-up’ only a few days before.

Spike stared down at her confused face, trying to find away to, once again, kindly reject her. She reached out, running her hand down his shirtfront, playing with the buttons.

“That doesn’t mean we can’t still…” Harmony trailed off, giving him a suggestive look.

Spike gently pushed her hands away from his shirt, straightening it out. “No Harm, we can’t.”

For a moment, Harmony looked stupefied, before frowning, clearly annoyed. “God, you were actually serious!” Her voice once again hit a high pitched squeal. “You really don’t want me?”

“Harm-“

She cut Spike off quickly, pushing him away from the door where he was blocking her exit. “I can’t believe you!” She stopped, meeting his eyes with her now-cold blue ones. “Is this about that Muffy girl? I’m not blind, you know. You keep…looking at her.”

Spikes stood there mouth agape. “For God’s sakes, she’s nearly my bloody stepsister.”

Harmony’s nose scrunched up in distaste. “Ew! You like your sister?” She swung the door open, stomping out. “That’s just gross!”

Spike exhaled loudly, ready to do some damage control, but Harmony had already disappeared into the crowd, no doubt to find Cordelia and blab all about their confrontation.

And sure enough, not more than two hours later, Spike was walking down the hallway when he felt a presence by his side. He turned to see the Queen C herself walking besides him.

“You,” Spike muttered.

“Me,” Cordelia confirmed, tossing back her silky dark hair. “So what’s going on with you and Harm?”

“I broke up with her,” he replied, “but she’s obviously deluding herself into thinking we haven’t.”

Cordelia rolled her eyes. “Please, Harmony knows you broke up, she’s just jealous.”

“Jealous?” Spike couldn’t help but laugh. “Of what?”

Cordelia’s nose crinkled. “Some girl named Muffy who’s living in your house. Sounds like a dog’s name to me.”

It was Spike’s turn to roll his eyes. “Her name is Buffy. She’s Joyce’s bloody daughter and I have no soddin’ interest in her,” he spit out, thoroughly annoyed. Why did everyone think he liked Buffy?

“Whatever,” Cordelia responded as Spike stopped outside of his classroom. “All I know is…wait, did you say Buffy?”

Spike nodded slowly. “Yeah, Buffy Summers. What of it?”

Cordelia frowned, looking over his shoulder. For a moment a flicker of recognition flashed across her face before returning to her normal snobbish one. “Nothing. Just thought I’d heard of her.”

Spike just shrugged absently, not really paying attention to the brunette. “Maybe, we don’t get a lot of new students here.”

Cordelia shook her head, clearing her thoughts. “Anyway, know that Harm’s totally bitching about you right now. So, my suggestion? Run.”

“Gee, thanks,” Spike said sarcastically.

“Welcome,” Cordelia responded, blissfully ignorant of his sarcasm. “Gotta go. I’m getting jittery just looking at your so in need of a manicure black nails.”

Spike watched the brunette saunter off, her head held high as Parker Abrams-the git-slung an arm around her. He would never admit it in a million years, but Cordelia wasn’t half-bad. She may be a bitch, but she was far classier than Parker, Mr. Non-Monogamy. Spike wondered what she saw in him.

“Mr. Giles, are you planning on attending class today or standing out in the hall?” Mr. Tollhouse called out dryly.

“I’m coming, keep your bloody pants on,” Spike muttered, stepping into the classroom and slumping in his seat. A few students snickered at his comment.

The teacher glared down at Spike, his beady gray eyes narrowed. “That’s another detention, Mr. Giles and I suggest you keep your profanity to yourself.”

Joy, Spike thought sardonically.

*******

“…And then, the man took out his gun and ‘bam!’ shot the other guy!” Willow exclaimed excitedly. Her eyes were bright and she had a goofy smile on her face.

“Take a breather, Wills,” Xander advised, popping a fry into his mouth. “The real question is did he take advantage of you?”

Willow rolled her eyes. “No. He was perfect gentleman, Xander Harris.”

Buffy smiled at the exchange. “Well, I’m happy for you Willow. Oz seems really cool and nice.”

Willow’s smile turned dreamy. “He has cool hair.”

Buffy, Anya and Fred snickered at the redhead. Willow had spent nearly the whole lunch period dissecting her first date with Oz, which turned out to be a complete success.

“Oh!” Willow sat up straight, her eyes wide. “And he let me have all of the red Sour Patch Kids. He said they were his favorite.”

A tray clattered and everyone turned to see Tara clumsily standing up, her light brown hair half-covering her face. “I-I gotta go. Studying,” she said quickly and ran off, clutching her tray tightly to her chest.

Willow frowned, watching her friend go. “I wonder what’s wrong.”

Buffy shrugged, her eyes also following Tara. “Maybe she forgot something,” she offered lamely.

“Yeah. I guess.” Willow’s response was hesitant.

“So,” Anya said, drawing everyone back, “what was Oz wearing?”

Xander groaned loudly. “Good god, Ahn, did you have to ask?”

Willow looked stricken. “I didn’t tell you about what he was wearing?” The horror prompted her into another lengthily description of seemingly every thread of Oz’s outfit.

Buffy couldn’t help the small grin playing on the corner of her mouth. Willow’s excitement was infectious and it led Buffy to her own thoughts about Riley. His most notable feature was his gentlemanly ways, how he opened the door for her and didn’t push his advances like trying to kiss her on the lips or make out with her neck unlike other guys she’d gone out with.

Her eyes slid across the lunchroom and finally rested on Spike who was sitting with Gunn and Wesley, though it looked like Wes was spending most of his time staring at Fred with a besotted expression and cleaning his glasses in a Giles-like way.

Spike looked a little unhappy and soon Buffy could see why. Harmony was rapidly approaching the table, a determined look on her face. For a few moments words were exchanged and the annoyance on Spike’s face deepened.

Harmony suddenly straightened and spun her head in Buffy’s direction, glaring daggers at her before returning her gaze to Spike and then, humiliatingly enough, pointed at her while talking to Spike loudly.

Gunn and Wesley looked uncomfortable yet curious while the few other guys and girl with long curly brown hair watched with undeniable interest.

“Harm! That’s enough!” Spike shouted, catching the attention of most of the lunch room.

Willow had now stopped talking, turning to see what was happening.

Harmony was saying something low and Spike’s jaw was clearly clenching and unclenching. Finally, the blonde girl spun on her heel and stalked off looking hurt and confused.

Spike visibly let out a sigh of relief and he glanced up, meeting Buffy’s eyes. She blinked in surprise at the strange emotion, one she couldn’t exactly put a finger on. In fact, it seemed more like a collage of feelings reflecting in his ocean-colored eyes.

Buffy tore her eyes away from their locked gaze and looked down at her plate, feeling a zing shoot down from her heart to stomach, sending both flip-flopping.

Weird, she thought and cleared her throat as she sipped her drink.

**********

After school, Spike walked towards his car, grateful cross-country practice had been canceled. He glanced down, fishing through his deep pocket for his keys.

“There the buggers are,” he muttered and glanced up to see Buffy leaning against his car, her long golden legs crossed, sunglasses perched on her nose blocking her eyes from his.

Right, he remembered quickly, girls’ cross-country practice was canceled as well.

“Hey Summers,” Spike greeted, unlocking the door.

Buffy took her sweet time sliding in and breathed in deeply. “God, I love these days. It’s still warm but not overbearingly, ice-cream melting hot.”

Spike smirked a little at her analogy. “Yeah. It’s nice,” he added lamely. As he started the car, Buffy turned to face him, pulling her sunglasses off.

“So what was up with you and Harmony at lunch?” She inquired casually.

Spike shrugged. “She was just pissed about something.” He didn’t elaborate and Buffy didn’t ask again. Spike wasn’t sure what that moment was when their eyes had met, but he wasn’t gonna push it, especially with Harmony’s accusation ringing in his mind.

“Oz and Willow went out a date last night. She had fun,” Buffy gave him a look that clearly said, ‘tell me what Oz mentioned.’

Oz wasn’t much of talker and his one-liners or even one-worders could suffice for a whole conversation, but he’d been surprisingly chatty earlier that day-at least for Oz, which meant an actually complete sentence or two.

“He had fun,” Spike summarized, though it sounded a lot like Oz’s actual words.

“Good,” Buffy said, a small smile gracing her lips. “Willow really likes him.” She looked off into the distance and Spike could see her face was suddenly troubled.

“Somethin’ wrong?” Spike asked courteously. He did kinda want to know, but he didn’t want to sound that interested.

“Oh,” Buffy shook her head, “I was just remembering…my…friend’s birthday is this weekend on Saturday.”

“Where is she?” Spike asked as he turned onto Revello Drive.

“He. And he’s in LA,” Buffy’s word were halted, unsure.

“You goin’ up?” Spike asked, glancing at her quickly. Buffy’s face was drawn and her eyes seemed so far away.

“I don’t know, I don’t really have a ride,” Buffy answered and stopped, looking around the car. It didn’t even occur to her to ask Spike to drive her; she just assumed he’d say no. Well, it was worth a shot.

“Spike-“ She began but Spike cut her off with a sharp no.

“No what? You don’t even know what I was going to say,” Buffy responded irritably.

“No, I’m not going to drive you four bloody hours to visit your soddin’ boy toy,” Spike snapped as he pulled into the driveway.

Buffy scoffed, grabbing her bag. “I never said he was boyfriend.”

“You didn’t have to,” Spike countered, yanking his door open. “I’m busy. I’m not driving you.”

Buffy glared at him. “Like I’d ask you, asshole.”

“Good thing then,” Spike snarled and stomped into the house, Buffy following her eyes narrowed and she was seething with anger. Why was he being so rude about it? And what had ever possessed her to think she could actually ask Spike something as important as driving her to LA for his birthday?

Spike slammed the door of his room, making sure Buffy could feel the rattle. He threw his bag across the room and let out a mix between a strangled scream and growl. What was he so pissed about? And why did he care so much that the bint had some bloke in LA. Of course she did, she was pretty, annoying but pretty. Surely some football jock was waiting for her.

But only one thought repeated in Spike’s mind: Why did he care?


A/N: Once again, in case some missed the author's note above: for next two weeks updates will be spotty-sorry. Thanks for being understanding.
Secrets by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the reviews and thanks to my amazing beta! Enjoy this chapter!

Note: still struggling with 'Saving You' but 'Next Door' update will be in a few days
Chapter 14: Secrets


“So…what do you think?” Buffy asked nervously, watching Willow’s expression.

The redhead swallowed and bit her lip. “I don’t know…I mean, I’ve never driven that far by myself.”

“I know the way,” Buffy told her friend. “But I totally understand if you don’t want to take me.”

Willow shook her head. “No. I’ll take you. Will you…will you tell me why?” She asked, meeting Buffy’s eyes. The implication was clear. Willow was agreeing to drive Buffy to LA because they were friends, but she expected the same trust.

“Yeah,” Buffy said slowly after a moment. “I will, I promise.”

Willow smiled, her face lighting up. “Then I guess we’re going on a road trip!”

Buffy laughed at the redhead’s infectious enthusiasm and then her face fell. “What about your parents?”

Willow’s brow wrinkled in concentration. “I’ll think of something,” she finally replied.

Buffy’s smile widened and she felt a rush of gratefulness for Willow. They had only known each other for two weeks and Willow was willing to do this for her. It just showed how loyal of a friend Willow was.

“Thank you so much,” Buffy said and impulsively hugged the redhead. “And I’ll tell you why later.” The thought of telling someone about what had happened, or at least part of it, made Buffy’s heart race with nervousness, but at the same time it felt right.

*********

Spike nearly jumped a foot in the air when he felt a delicate hand tap his shoulder. “Bloody fuck!” He shouted, spinning around to see Buffy, of all people, standing there with a smirk playing on the corner of her lips.

For a moment, Spike’s attention focused solely on the redness and lushness of her lips currently curved upward slightly. Then he quickly shook his head, snapping back to attention. “What do you want?”

The smirk on her face fell and Buffy muttered reluctantly, “A ride.” For the past couple of days since their blowout, they’d been dodging each other in the house and at school, and Willow or Fred had been kind enough to give her a ride. Unfortunately, Fred was out sick, a rare occurrence, and Willow had to stay after to work on a computer program. No one else had their license, a product of living in a small town, which meant Buffy had to suck it up and ask Spike.

Spike stared down at Buffy, eyes narrowed. He could see she wasn’t happy about asking him and that made him feel a little better. “Sure.”

Buffy gave a demure mumble of thanks and then slipped into the passenger seat as Spike took place at the wheel. She kept her mouth shut, not wanting another argument to take place. This was just a quick ride home, over in a few minutes.

“So what are you doin’ tomorrow?” Spike asked, feigning innocence. He could easily recall Buffy’s words only a few days before.

She shot him a glare. “Hanging out with Willow.”

Spike didn’t feel guilty exactly, but it was something close. He’d overacted, a little, with driving Buffy to LA, but it was strangely unsettling to think of her pining after some thick-necked git.

“I’ll, uh, drive you. Tomorrow, if you still wanna go.” Spike’s gaze never strayed from the road, his hands gripping the steering wheel.

Buffy’s mouth dropped and she blinked in surprise. She kept her eyes on Spike, waiting for him to turn and face her, and add…something. Anything to indicate he wasn’t serious. But he was, Buffy realized. Was he feeling bad? Or was he just trying to pry and figure her out?

Spike had already expressed his discontentment with not knowing much about Buffy or why she was living with them in Sunnydale. And why was he changing his mind after so vehemently protesting against taking her?

The confusion inside her made Buffy irritable. She hated not being able to exactly discern what Spike was doing.

“No thanks,” she replied shortly, her voice taut.

“Fine,” Spike snapped back, turning hard into the driveway. “Just offering.”

“Well,” Buffy began, stepping out of the car, “Don’t. I already got the message on how much you don’t like me, so don’t fake being nice.”

Spike’s jaw tensed. “Summers, I don’t fake being nice just to appease. If I hated you, I wouldn’t offer.”

Startled by his frank admission, Buffy sat there for a moment, her eyes trained on Spike’s. He stared back defiantly, waiting for her to respond, but instead Buffy leaped out of the car and walked inside without a backwards glance.

Spike stayed in the car, watching her go for a moment. Her reaction had puzzled him; it was the last thing he’d have expected from Buffy. He thought she’d make a sarcastic remark or glare at him. Not run into the house.

Deciding he wasn’t going to figure the girl out anytime soon, Spike backed out of the driveway and sped off.

*****

Buffy partially hid, watching Spike drive off. She sighed and faced the empty living room with annoyed expression.

“God, you’re stupid, Buffy,” she said out loud, wanting to smack herself in the head. What was her problem? Normal people wouldn’t run off when a person said they didn’t hate them.

But here she was, hiding from Spike. Who, if he didn’t think it before, thought she was certifiably insane. And it wasn’t that Spike’s confession was a bad thing, but with all the weird…feelings, or whatever the hell they were in her, Spike not hating her changed things.

Don’t be ridiculous, Buffy told herself, scoffing. Nothing has changed. It just meant Spike…well, she wasn’t sure what he was actually thinking, but it wasn’t hate and that was good.

Right?

********

“So, what did your mom say?” Buffy asked as soon as she was out of Giles’ and her mother’s earshot.

“We’re good,” Willow confirmed, “My mom thinks I’m spending the day at the library, hence no answering my phone and your mom…”

“Thinks I’m hanging out with you and then going to a movie/dinner,” Buffy finished, letting out a slow breath.

“Good,” Willow repeated and Buffy could hear the underlying excitement in her voice. She knew the redhead rarely, if ever, did something she wasn’t supposed to do.

“I’ll pick you up at ten?”

“Yep,” Buffy responded and they quickly exchanged goodbyes as Mrs. Rosenberg entered Willow’s room.

Buffy returned the phone to its original spot.

“Was that Willow?” Joyce asked curiously. She took a sip of her wine, looking up at her daughter.

“Yep,” Buffy replied easily, “she was calling to confirm our plans for tomorrow.”

“I always did like that girl,” Giles commented, sipping his own drink. “Always in the library, quite brilliant really. She tried to teach me how to use that blasted contraption, but it was rather unsuccessful.”

“Don’t you mean the computer?” Buffy teased and both women laughed at Giles’s sheepish expression.

Buffy sat down with them, enjoying the relaxed atmosphere. While she wouldn’t say that she and Joyce would be winning any mother/daughter awards, they were getting along better, slowly but surely. Buffy was determined to get to know her mother again. It had been shocking how much she realized she missed having her mother around, and it made her wonder why she’d delayed coming to Sunnydale so long.

Life in Sunnydale was good. She had her friends, her family and most importantly, her past was finally starting to let her go. Buffy just hoped it would stay that way.

************

“Ugh,” Buffy grumbled as she reclined in Willow’s temporary car. Her sleep had been cut short by her alarm clock blaring at 9:00 in the morning. Far too early for sensible people to be up, Buffy reasoned.

“Hey,” Willow nudged Buffy, “Come on, we’re going to LA.”

“Exactly,” the blonde muttered, slouching in her seat.

Willow frowned, giving Buffy a quick glance before returning to the street. Buffy, seeing the look, exhaled loudly.

“LA, for me, doesn’t hold a lot of good memories,” she began softly. “After my parents got divorced and my mom left…let’s just say I wasn’t the same. I used to be this peppy cheerleader, but then I sorta changed. Drinking, smoking,” Buffy paused, “and some other not-so good stuff.”

Willow looked sympathetic. “I’m sorry, Buffy. Really.”

Buffy shot Willow a grateful smile. “Thanks. So the reason I need to go back is because today is my…friend’s birthday.”

The redhead didn’t miss the pause at ‘friend’. Whoever he was, was something more than just a friend. Willow didn’t push, Buffy had promised her what happened, but at her own pace.

“Okay then,” Willow said with false brightness, a distraction. “Time to turn on some whiny rock music and sing as loud as we can?”

Buffy laughed loudly, a wide grin blooming on her face. “Yep!”

*****

The two girls filled the ride with meaningless chatter and the occasional serious questions. Willow had opened up a little more about her now-dead crushes on Xander and Spike and included embarrassing details about both of them, which cheered Buffy up.

Buffy confessed that she and Spike rarely got along, and how annoying he was. Willow didn’t seem all that surprised.

“Spike’s always been like that,” Willow told Buffy as she pulled off at the LA exit.

“An asshole?” Buffy supplied, causing Willow to shrug sheepishly.

“Kinda, yeah. Like I told you, even now he’s still hung up over Drusilla,” Willow added.

Ah, Buffy thought, the elusive Drusilla. “What is she like?”

“Drusilla?” Willow asked and wrinkled her nose slightly. “Basically, a vampire. Dark hair, pale skin, weird behavior. Almost childlike, yet you know she’s definitely not innocent. She leeches on to people, like Spike, who tend to like people who need them.”

Buffy frowned. “What do you mean?”

“Spike’s a romantic at heart. I know, hard to tell, but he fell hard for Drusilla and she craves that attention. Spike spent so much time with her, he kinda…lost himself,” Willow clarified.

Buffy nodded slowly. That explained why he took losing her so hard, he didn’t know what do with himself. It hit her sharply that she and Spike had that in common: falling for the wrong people for the wrong reason.

“Buffy?” Willow called out and the blonde quickly snapped to attention. “Where am I supposed to go?”

“Oh,” Buffy relaxed, “take a right turn on Range.” Willow was now sitting straight, her eyes alert. She’d only driven in LA once and that had been a few months before with her parents.

Buffy remained quiet, letting Willow focus. She only commented when Willow need directions.

“Just up at the next road and another left,” instructed Buffy, pointing with her finger. Willow complied and turned onto a fairly small street with big trees. It was obviously an older area with a beautiful church looming ahead.

“You can park in the church’s parking lot,” Buffy told Willow, who looked confused, but pulled in to the nearly empty parking lot and found a spot.

“Your friend lives in a church?” Willow asked, staring up at said building with a puzzled frown.

“No,” Buffy replied and swallowed hard. “He’s over there.” She pointed to the graveyard filled with headstones.

Willow blinked in shock, her hand covering her mouth. “Oh, Buffy. I’m sorry, I didn’t realize-“

Buffy quickly cut the redhead off. “No, don’t be. I kinda didn’t tell you on purpose,” she confessed. “It’s hard for me to think about it, let alone be here. I didn’t want to…” she let her words trail off as she stared out at the numerous graves. There were only two people there, a blonde woman and an older man scattered on either side of the graveyard.

Willow opened her mouth to ask where his grave was, when she saw Buffy’s face blanch, her eyes wide.

“Buffy?” Willow asked hesitantly, reaching out to touch her shoulder. “Are you-“

“We have to go, now,” Buffy hissed, pulling her seatbelt on.

Willow frowned, rapidly growing more and more confused. “Wait, I thought you wanted to see your friend’s grave?”

“Willow!” Buffy half-shouted, then lowered her voice. “Please, go.” The desperate plea in Buffy’s voice urged Willow to quickly back out and drive back the way they came. After a few minutes, Willow glanced at Buffy, alarmed to see her hands pressed against her face, soft sobs escaping from her.

Willow pulled over on another one of the nearby small roads, turned to her friend, concerned.

“Buffy, what’s wrong?” Willow asked. “You can tell me, I swear I won’t say anything to anyone.”

Buffy sniffled, wiping away her tears. She swallowed and the let out a slow sigh. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to go all Cry Buffy on you. I just,” she stopped, sniffling again. “God.”

“What?” Willow urged, now extremely worried. She searched Buffy’s face as if it held the answer.

“Um…” Buffy struggled to explain. “The guy whose birthday it is, he wasn’t just a friend.”

Willow nodded understandingly. “I kinda could guess,” she confessed, “you sorta hesitated when you said ‘friend’.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah. I almost told you then, but I didn’t want you to think…god, this is gonna sound so bad,” she said, half to herself.

“I’m not going to judge you or anything,” Willow told Buffy, shaking her head.

“Okay,” Buffy whispered, tilting her head back. “Um, his name was Angel, Angel O’Connor, and was my first…a lot of things. I told you that after my parents divorced, I changed. I started hanging out with my cousin, Faith, who doesn’t exactly have the best reputation, but I didn’t care. I just wanted to…let go. I met him at a party and I think I fell in love with him at that moment. He was amazing. Sweet, smart, gorgeous, mysterious…everything I wanted.”

Buffy looked away, out the window. Willow respected this and didn’t say a word as Buffy continued her story.

“We started dating and one thing led to another…we were in love, and I had never been happier. I thought finally all the badness with my parents was gone and I had an amazing boyfriend. I could picture us together with the white picket fence, golden retriever, and 2.5 kids. He was…older, and I knew that, but I never really bothered to ask how much. It didn’t matter to me. He was perfect.”

Buffy could feel her throat closing up as she came up to the hardest part. She inhaled deeply and resumed talking.

“One night, he came to pick me up. We always went out at night and it was always to a place out of the city limits. It never really bothered me, mostly because they were gorgeous seaside restaurants and hotels. It was drizzling when he picked me up, but as we drove it got worse. It was storming, huge bolts of lightening and deafening thunder…I was kinda freaked out, not used to it storming that badly or all the rain. Then…” Buffy stopped, unable to continue.

Willow’s face was etched with sadness as she reached out, touching Buffy’s hand slightly. “Did you guys…crash?”

Buffy nodded, drawing in a shaky breath. “We skid and hit a tree. I broke my arm and a piece of glass got embedded in my stomach.” Her hand ghosted over the scar on her lower abdomen as tears slipped down her face. “He got the burnt of it though. They said…his skull shattered.”

“Oh, Buffy. I’m so, so sorry,” Willow’s voice cracked a little. “That must have been so hard to see his grave. I totally understand why you wanted to go. We’ll just head-“

“That’s not why.”

Willow stopped, watching the Buffy carefully. “What?”

Buffy cleared her throat, wiping at the stray tear on her lip. “That’s not why I couldn’t.” She paused and Willow waited for her explanation.

“Did you see the blonde woman there?” Buffy finally asked, staring down at her hands.

Willow nodded, her brow furrowed. “Yeah?” Her answer was more of a question, and she glanced at Buffy.

“Her name’s Darla O’Connor,” Buffy said softly. “She’s Angel’s wife.”



tell me what you think!
The Rules of Friendship by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the amazing reviews! I was kinda nervous about people's reaction to that bit of news even though it was kinda hinted, you just didn't know who. Anyway, most people seemed pretty positive so that made me super happy! :)

Here's the next chappie and enjoy!

Thanks to my beta, she's amazing!
Chapter 15: The Rules of Friendship


There wasn’t much to be said after Buffy’s startling confession. Willow drove them back to Sunnydale in near silence. For the most part, Buffy’s mind was elsewhere, on Angel.

Thinking about him was hard and Buffy wondered how she could have thought she was ready to see his grave. Whatever small slice of hope her mind had clung to, was shattered, leaving her emotions in a whirlwind.

The safety net was gone and she had to face up to reality. Angel was gone. Really gone. Buffy let out a long sigh. If she could, she’d have cried at that thought, but there were no more tears left in her. Exhaustion had taken over and all she wanted to do was crawl into bed and sleep.

Seeing Darla had also sent her mind reeling. While they’d never met face-to-face, Darla was well aware her late husband had been having an affair, but didn’t know who. Buffy knew Darla hadn’t found out until the accident, until Angel had died. But there was always a possibility that Darla had found Buffy’s name. After all, she was a woman with connections.

For Buffy, Darla was representation of her shame. Just thinking of her made the guilt and shame wash over her. She felt like she should have known, had some sort of intuition about his marriage.

The one good thing Buffy could cling to was that Angel being gone helped her move on. But the pain was still there, the pain of loving and losing him. Buffy bit her lip, watching as the passed the “Welcome to Sunnydale” sign.

“Hey.” Willow’s voice broke through Buffy’s muddled thoughts. “Wanna get something to eat?”

As if on cue, Buffy’s stomach rumbled. It was late, nearly 6:00, and the last time they’d eaten was around noon. “Yeah,” she said out loud. “That sounds good.”

“How about Romano’s?” Willow suggested, naming a popular pizza place that served Buffy’s favorite: extra cheesy with pineapple.

A small grin crept on her lips. “Definitely.”

*********

By the time they’d ordered and called their respective parents, Buffy felt a little better.

“Buffy,” Willow began hesitantly, fiddling with the plastic placemat before her. “I was wondering…what was it like? Being in love?”

At Willow’s nervous expression, Buffy couldn’t help but laugh a little. “I don’t know. I mean for me with…Angel…it was almost…painful. Like, being around him complicated everything, even without knowing about the marriage. But at the same time it was exhilarating and just…amazing.”

Willow nodded slowly, never looking up from her hands. “I want that,” she whispered and then added, “except for the painful part.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said, sounding far away, “So do I.” Then she shook her head. “Enough sad talk. I think I’ve had more than my share of that today,” Buffy said briskly, trying to look cheerful.

“Okay,” Willow quickly agreed. “So-“

“Willow! Buffy!”

Both girls turned to see Gunn waving at them from across the room. Next to him the same curly haired girl Buffy had seen at lunch the day before sat with him. Spike and a guy Buffy vaguely recognized sat with them.

“Joy,” Buffy muttered under her breath as Willow, ever the friendly one, stood up and walked over to their table. The last person Buffy wanted to see was Spike.

She reluctantly stood up and followed Willow, pasting a bright smile on her face.

“Yo,” Gunn greeted Buffy as she stood there, avoiding Spike’s direction. “Have you met Gwen?” He gestured to the brunette beside him.

Buffy shook her head. “No. Nice to meet you.”

Gwen nodded with a tight smile. “You too.” She pushed back her curly hair and Buffy caught a glimpse of a few red streaks as she whispered into Gunn’s ear.

He frowned for a moment and looked puzzled before standing up and dropping a ten on the table. “Gwen and I are headed out. Later Wills, Buffy.”

Buffy watched them leave, their hands intertwined. “I didn’t know Gunn had a girlfriend,” she said, half to herself.

Willow nodded, acknowledging Buffy’s comment. “Yeah. They’re kinda off and on again.” She turned to Spike and the dark-haired guy. “Either of you seen Tara lately?”

Spike shook his head and drummed his fingers on the table. “Haven’t seen the bird since Thursday in English.”

The other guy looked confused. “Tara? Man is she that blonde chick, kinda shy?”

Willow rolled her eyes. “Devon, she’s in your study hall.”

A look of recognition flashed in his eyes. “Riiight. Dude, I remember her. I haven’t seen her though. Think she ditched.”

Willow frowned, looking a little worried. “No way, Tara would never ditch. I mean, she’s not a schoolaholic like me, but…”

Buffy laughed a little at Willow’s word and Devon’s attention shifted to her. His eyes traveled over her golden hair to her body and stayed there.

“I don’t remember you though,” he drawled. “Are you new?”

“Kinda,” Buffy responded, crossing her arms. “I’m Buffy Summers.”

Devon’s eyes widened and he turned to Spike. “Dude, that’s the girl who you live with? Damn!”

Willow rolled her eyes again. “Ignore him. He finds it impossible to not say stupid comments.”

Devon continued gawking at Buffy until Spike finally hit him in the chest. “Lay off, mate. You’re acting like a bloody idiot.”

Devon just blinked. “Right,” he mumbled and then focused back on Buffy. “Wanna go out sometime? My band is playing at the Bronze on Tuesday at eight.”

“Umm…” Buffy began. “I don’t think that’s the best-“

“Devon!” Willow admonished, sitting in the chair across from him. “She doesn’t want to go out with you. Not everyone is amazed you have a band.”

For a second Devon looked hurt but then he grinned. “Cordy was pretty amazed.”

Willow’s nose scrunched. “Cordelia?! You went out with her?”

Even Spike looked surprised. “Hey! When did that happen?”

Devon shrugged, leaning back in his seat. “A couple months ago. Man that girl is hot.” His temporary infatuation with Buffy forgotten, Devon continued discussing his ‘date’ with Cordelia in detail, causing both girls to return to their seats, disgusted.

Thankfully the pizza was just arriving as they sat down and Buffy dug in, savoring each bite.

“Summers.” Buffy glanced up to see Spike standing in front of their table, hands shoved down his ever present duster.

She swallowed the last of her food and took a sip of water. “Yeah?”

“Need a ride home? I’m headed there,” he asked, motioning in a random direction with his thumb.

Buffy glanced at Willow who was already done. “I don’t know, I came here with Willow…” Buffy began.

Seeing Spike’s expression, Willow smoothly cut in. “Go ahead. I have to drop some books off at the library anyway.”

Buffy cleared her throat and stood up, grabbing her bag. “Okay then.” She followed Spike out to his car after exchanging a quick hug with Willow.

“Promise you’ll call me tomorrow?” Willow asked and Buffy nodded.

The night was clear and balmy, a warm breeze occasionally drifting in, and Buffy briefly enjoyed the feel of the air on her skin. She walked towards Spike’s car, intent on figuring out why he’d offered to take her home.

Buffy slid into the passenger seat and waited for Spike to get in and turn on the engine. As he did so, she cast a look at him. He was unusually silent and wasn’t bothering to even look in her direction.

Spike pulled out of the parking lot and drove down Main Street, his gaze focused on the traffic. “So, did you ever get to visit the bloke in LA?” Spike finally asked.

Buffy swallowed hard. “Yeah. Willow drove me.”

Spike cleared his throat. “Nice birthday?”

“I guess,” she answered in a non-committed tone of voice.

“Right,” Spike laughed, “I’m sure with his girl there, everything was dandy. You do the whole dinner by candlelight, roses and champagne deal?”

“No,” Buffy responded sharply. “I just went to visit his grave.” She hadn’t meant to say that out loud and by the expression on Spike’s face, she had certainly startled him.

“Oh, bloody hell,” Spike sputtered and exhaled loudly. He stopped at a red light and turned to Buffy. “I-uh-didn’t realize he-“

“Was dead,” Buffy finished for him, her voice soft. “Yeah. Um, he died a few months ago. And you’re right, he wasn’t just a friend.”

Spike nodded slowly. “I guess that means I owe you an-“

“Green light,” Buffy interrupted quickly and Spike snapped to attention, accelerating.

They drove in silence the rest of the way, Buffy intent on keeping her mouth shut. Spike almost apologizing to her was definitely not of the norm.

Spike pulled into the driveway and cut the engine. Buffy moved to open the door when he stopped her.

“What?” Buffy demanded, crossing her arms, trying to look bored and annoyed.

Spike’s jaw clenched and he looked up, letting out a sharp exhale. “We have a truce, right?”

Buffy nodded quickly. “Of course. Be civil for parents.”

Spike regarded her, his brow furrowed. “Do you hate me, Summer?”

“What? Of course not!” She immediately replied. It was true, she certainly didn’t hate him, she just…violently disliked him a times.

“Okay,” Spike continued slowly, “And I don’t hate you…most of the time.”

At this, Buffy rolled her eyes. “Riiight, because you’re Mr. Lovable. You know, just because I don’t hate you, doesn’t mean you have redeeming qualities.”

“Other than my hot body?” Spike joked which earned him a glare. He shook his head, clearing his mind. “Point is: civil isn’t working. Dad and your mum aren’t all that convinced we’re the wee little family they want us to be. And ten bucks says they’re bloody married in a year.”

“Oookay,” Buffy drew out the word. “What are you suggesting?”

“Friends.”

Buffy blinked. “Um…maybe I heard you wrong, but did you just say friends?”

“Yeah,” Spike replied, “We annoy the hell out of each other, but we can still try and be friends. For them.” He jerked his thumb to the house.

“I guess,” Buffy said slowly, her brow creased. “What exactly does that require?”

“Well first,” Spike shot her a grin. “You, me, and a run tomorrow morning. Five minute miles.”

Buffy immediately straightened at the challenge, her own grin creeping up on her. “Really? Think you can beat me?”

Spike shrugged good-naturedly. “Probably. But I don’t wanna hurt your girly feelings.”

Buffy scoffed. “You are in no way going to hurt my ‘girly feelings’.”

“Oh?” Spike countered. “So you’re not a girl?”

Buffy snorted. “Puh-lease. I’m so a girl and I can prove it.” There was an awkward pause after her statement and she could feel her face heating up.

“Err…that came out wrong,” she mumbled and Spike laughed. “I mean,” Buffy continued fumbling to correct her words. “I am a girl and I can prove it. I’m just not gonna prove it…to you.”

“I don’t know, Summers. I wouldn’t mind so much.” Spike intended his words to be teasing, but instead his voice was low and smooth.

Another awkward pause settled between them and Spike cleared his throat, trying to ease the discomfort. Buffy’s eyes glanced up, meeting his, and for a moment Spike just stared into the dark hazel color. Then his gaze drifted down to those damnable shiny lips currently parted slightly in confusion.

“So,” Buffy said loudly, breaking the silence. “Friends.”

Spike jerked himself out of his trance and nodded sharply. “Yeah, soddin’ friends.” He yanked his car down open and stomped out, clearly angry. “See you tomorrow morning at 8:00.”

Buffy sat there, watching him stalk into the house, a frown on her face. “Gee, what did I do?” she mumbled. So much for their ‘friendship’. And why was she agreeing to that anyway? Spike’s approval was so not something she ever needed. It’s for your mom, she reminded herself as she walked into the house.

She’d barely made it into the front door when she accosted by her mother. Joyce’s face was practically glowing with happiness.

“Oh, Buffy,” she smiled at her daughter. “Guess what? An old friend of Rupert’s offered us his beach house for the weekend! Isn’t that exciting?”

“Uh…” Buffy stared at her mother in horror, but she was too oblivious to notice.

“Oh, it’s going to be so much fun! You and William have a four day weekend coming up and we’ll get to finally bond together as a family.” Joyce reached forward to brush her daughter’s hair out of her eye. “I’m so glad you and William are getting along. And Rupert thinks you’re wonderful. I really think this going to work out perfectly, don’t you?”

“Um…” Her mother looked so hopeful that it was hard to say no. “Sure!” Buffy said with false cheerfulness. “It’ll be super!”

Joyce bit her lip, her smile falling a little. “Do you think maybe you could talk to William about it? He wasn’t all that happy when Rupert mentioned it.”

“Sure.” Buffy kept her grin pasted on. “No problem. In fact, I’ll go do that now.” She started up the stairs after Joyce gave her a quick hug.

Spike’s door was shut and Buffy knocked hesitantly. When there was no response, Buffy yelled, “I’m coming in!”

Still no answer.

Buffy opened the door a crack to see Spike sitting on his bed, headphones on. When he noticed her at the door, he picked up his iPod, hit a button and pulled an earphone out. “Yeah?”

Buffy stepped in and shut the door before turning around with a no-nonsense look on her face. “The thing about friendship is it requires compromising. That means I go running with you and prove that I can so kick your sorry ass, and you go to the beach house next weekend and pretend to be the dutiful, dotting son you aren’t. Deal?”

Spike sat up, meeting her eyes with a raised brow. “And if I say no?”

Buffy crossed her arms. “I’ll tell Harmony you love her.”

Instantaneously, Spike’s slouched back against his pillows, defeated. “Fine,” he grumbled, “I’ll bloody fuckin’ go.”

“Good.” And with that, she flounced out of his room.
Anticipation--Not! by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
yay! An update! Sorry to keep you waiting. Enjoy!

Thanks to my beta and her amazingness!
Chapter 16: Anticipation—Not!


“Bad, bad, bad, bad,” Buffy moaned, her head dropping on the lunch table. Everyone gave her sympathetic looks.

“Is it really?” Fred ventured. “I mean, everyone’s getting along, right?”

Buffy just groaned again. She’d filled everyone in on the beach house vacation happening in only a few days.

Xander snickered. “I can’t believe you actually convinced him to come. What did you say?”

A small grin appeared on Buffy’s face. “I told him I’d tell Harmony he loved her.”

Everyone burst into laughter and Buffy joined in, shaking her head a little. “It was the best thing I could think of on short notice!” She admitted, still giggling.

“Oh no, it’s great!” Xander chortled, “I can’t wait to mercilessly tease Captain Peroxide about this.”

Instantly Buffy sobered. “No, don’t. I’ve got him coming, albeit reluctantly. Don’t screw it up for me.”

Xander frowned. “Fine, fine, I won’t.” He laughed again. “But when this weekend is over, I’m never gonna run out of things to say.”

Willow rolled her eyes. “Yeah, that well will never dry up. Buffy, was that smart though? Threats? I mean, it doesn’t guarantee…”

“He’ll be nice and friendly,” Buffy finished for her and then sighed. “Tell me about it. But at least we had a nice run this morning.”

Fred snorted. “Knowing you two, it means someone won and the loser is paying. Probably with money.”

Buffy’s face flushed a little. “Hey, we can so have a decent run without getting overly competitive!”

At the dubious looks, Buffy rolled her eyes. “Okay,” she confessed, “there was a bet. Only ten dollars, which is good I won because I don’t actually have ten dollars. And there may have been an… incident.”

Willow eyed the blonde warily. “What incident?”

“The kind where I maybe tackle Spike?” Her voice was innocent, but it got a disapproving look from both Fred and Willow.

“In my defense, he started it. Stupid tripping jerk,” Buffy muttered.

“This is definitely going to be an interesting weekend,” Xander said jadedly.

After lunch, Buffy and Willow walked to their classes which were both in the same wing. However, Buffy had chemistry while Willow was in Physics AP.

“Friends?” Willow repeated dubiously.

Buffy shrugged. She had just told the redhead about the other deal her and Spike and had made: the friends thing.

“B-but you guys…” Willow stuttered and then sighed. “This is boarder lining on weird.”

“Tell me about it.” Buffy rolled her eyes. “And it is definitely in the weird.”

Willow frowned, trying to figure out what exactly was going on. “So…you’re really friends now. What does that even mean?”

“Um, so far it means we run with each other in the morning,” Buffy answered.

Willow laughed a little. “Of course, wouldn’t expect anything else from you two.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Whatever.” Time to change the subject, she decided. “Where’s Tara?” She hadn’t been at lunch again for the third time in a row.

“Oh yeah,” Willow replied casually, “Turns out her aunt needed her at the shop and now she has the huge history project due this week. But we’re hanging out this weekend, movie, popcorn and chocolate.” She made a sympathetic face at Buffy. “I’d invite you but…”

“I’ll be in a beach house with Spike Giles,” Buffy grumbled, “So unfair.”

*************

It was another calm, sunny but not hot afternoon, perfect for running. Buffy happily walked out to the track after school let out and searched for Fred. They’d agreed to meet outside of the building, but she was no where to be seen.

She shrugged and continued to make her way to the field when she heard someone sprinting up from behind her: Fred.

She stopped, panting slightly with a sheepish look. “Sorry, I had to stay after for a couple minutes and then Wes asked me about a physics problem…” she sighed, “but I’m here now.”

Buffy grinned. “So I see.”

They walked side-by-side to the track and stood in the center, waiting for the rest of the team to show up. Buffy bent down to tie her shoes and then pulled her hair back into a ponytail. The length was still irritating her, especially while running.

Coach Alder clapped her hands, catching the girls’ attention. “Alright! Everyone head out by Hampton and work your way up to Fox and back down.”

Simultaneously, they all started running out onto the sidewalk in front of the school. Fred and Buffy lagged behind, taking it slow. Neither of them really wanted to try particularly hard today.

“So,” Buffy began, “How’s it going with you and Wes.”

Fred’s cheeks tinged pink and a grin formed on her lips. “We’re officially dating.”

Buffy smiled wide. “That’s great! You guys are totally perfect for each other.”

Fred turned shy. “I guess. He’s really sweet and fun and smart. We had the most amazing debate about whether quantum physics-“

“Say no more,” Buffy interrupted, holding her hand up. “You smarty-pants freak me out with finding intellectual debates a turn on.”

Fred’s blush deepened. “It’s interesting.”

Buffy grinned again. “Of course it, but I want the juicy details: good or bad kisser?”

Fred’s face, if possible, turned redder. “That’s not the only part of a relationship, you know? There has to be compatibility, interest a-and-” She stopped at Buffy’s look. “Amazing,” she confessed and the two giggled.

“Keep up!” Coach Adler’s harsh voice interrupted their private conversation and they picked up speed.

“What about you?” Fred inquired after a few moments.

“What about me?” Buffy replied, feigning ignorance.

“What’s going on with you and that guy-Riley right?” Fred asked, waiting for an answer.

Buffy shrugged. “We’re just hanging out.” Truth was he hadn’t called and it was kind of a disappointment. Spike, she figured, had scared him off.

“So it’s not serious?” Fred’s voice broke through her musings.

“No, definitely not,” Buffy said quickly. Serious was something she was staying far away from. She felt like the very idea of trusting someone like that again was too hard. There were only so many times her heart could be broken.

***************

The day before the long weekend was depressingly slow. The sky was cloudy, a rare for Sunnydale, and Buffy felt sluggish.

“Ugh,” she grumbled and Xander, who was walking with her, agreed.

“This is not what a day before long weekend should be,” he commented, rubbing his neck.

“Nope.” Buffy sighed and stopped, reaching into her bag for her English book they were reading.

All of the sudden Xander looked up, a look of horror mixed with some other unidentifiable emotion on his face. “Uh-oh, Queen C alert.”

Buffy glanced at the brunette walking towards them, her head held high with a glint of determination. She stopped in front of them, casually tossing her long hair back.

“Well, if it isn’t the loser Harris. Mommy run out of money for clothes?” Cordelia’s haughty gaze flickered over Xander’s cargo pants and Hawaiian shirt.

Buffy glared at the brunette, annoyed. She opened her mouth to say something-preferably a really good comeback that Xander was lacking-when Cordelia turned to her.

“Hi, you must be the new girl. I’m Cordelia Chase.” Her haughty expression didn’t change, but there was flicker of something in her eyes.

Buffy gave her a strained smile. “I’m Buffy but I’ve been here for two weeks, not exactly new.”

Cordelia’s eyes narrowed and her smile froze. “Well, I thought I’d introduce myself and if you want to fit in,” she shot another look at Xander, “my suggestion would be to avoid losers like him.”

Buffy all but glared at her. “Thanks but I think I can find my own friends.”

Cordelia scoffed. “Suit yourself. Nice to meet you, Muffy.” She walked past them and headed for Harmony who, when she saw Buffy, shot her an evil look.

“Well that was entertaining,” Xander mumbled.

“Yeah,” Buffy said, her voice tinged with sarcasm. She glanced back at Cordelia, trying to place her. Up close, the brunette looked almost familiar and she was fairly certain Cordelia recognized her too. “Let’s go, I don’t want Mr. Katz to be mad cause we’re late.”

“Ah yes,” Xander lamented as they picked up their pace, “the joys of washing the football team’s jerseys.”

****

“Buffy are you all ready?”

The blonde shoved her hairbrush into what little space left in her suitcase. Irritatingly enough, Joyce had decided that leaving right away after school was the best idea. Which meant Buffy was adding all of her necessities she couldn’t pack in the morning before school.

“Almost!” She called back, rushing around her room, searching for her CD player. It figures that as soon as she finished unpacking everything, she needed to pack again.

“We’re leaving in ten minutes. Rupert wants to beat the rush hour!” Her mother called out, sounding farther away.

What rush hour? Buffy wondered as she put her toothbrush and toothpaste in plastic bag.

There was a knock on her door as Buffy was trying to fit her face wash in her bag. Internally groaning, Buffy said, “Mom, I’m almost done! I just need to find my tampons!”

“That’s nice, luv, but I don’t think I know where those are.”

Buffy glanced up, surprised and, of course, her face burned. Spike stood in her doorway, a smirk on his face.

“God, I thought you were my mom. What do you need?” She tried to sound flippant and unaffected.

“Dad wanted me to remind you to bring your camera. Said you have a nice one,” Spike answered as he fiddled with the knickknacks on her dresser by the door.

Buffy glanced down at her suitcase, mentally reviewing the items in it. “I’ve got it,” she announced and returned to searching for the missing tampons.

After a few seconds she noticed Spike hadn’t left and glared at him. “Why aren’t you gone?”

Spike shrugged, tossing her little glass ice-skater figurine in his hands. “Bored. Need help?”

“No,” Buffy bit out, trying to zip her bag shut. “I’m fine.” With a final grunt, she managed to zip it. “Ha!”

Straightening her back, she glanced at Spike to see her favorite figurine in his hands, being juggled! Buffy walked over and yanked it out of his hands and set it down. “Leave my stuff alone and find someone else to un-bore you.”

“Buffy, William, are you guys ready?” Joyce’s voice cut through their glarefest.

“Yes!” They shouted back in unison. Buffy walked over to grab her bag when Spike stopped her, a hand on her shoulder.

“Luv, your tampons are under your bed.” His breath tickled her ear, sending shivers down her spine.

Buffy swallowed, trying to maintain her cool. “Thanks. Now get out and tell them I’ll be down in a second.”

“Fine,” Spike replied, his voice smooth and he practically sauntered out of her room.

“And don’t call me ‘luv’!” Buffy shouted after him. He chuckled in response, shutting her door.

She got down on her knees, reaching under the bed for the box of tampons. “Asshole,” Buffy grumbled. This was going to be worst weekend ever.
Confinement by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
I know, another long wait, but somehow I keep getting super busy. Well, enjoy the chapter! Thanks for all the amazing reviews and to my beta--thanks!
Chapter 17: Confinement



As a child, long car trips bored her, but now they seemed to bore Buffy even more. Especially when her once large collection of CDs had somehow mysteriously dwindled to the meager selection in her travel-size CD case. She’d brought her sketchbook along but felt awkward drawing with Spike so close. Her sketches were personal and the idea of Spike seeing them made Buffy cringe.

“Who wants what for dinner?” Joyce turned around to face the two teens.

Spike shrugged. “Anything but fish.”

Surprisingly, Buffy’s preference was exactly the same. She glanced at Spike to see if he’d noticed that at all, but his eyes were glued to the book in his hand. It’d shocked Buffy when he’d started reading the novel in his hands since he was probably the only teenage male she knew who read for fun. When Buffy had questioned him, Spike had just snapped a remark about her being illiterate.

Geez, and he thought she had issues with the whole ‘let’s-be-friends’ thing.

Giles pulled up into the McDonald’s drive through where Spike ordered a burger and Buffy happily ordered a McFlurry despite her mother’s disapproval. Hey, she’d been stuck in a car for almost four hours and a treat was definitely needed.

She swirled her spoon into the melting mixture, pulling out chunks of Oreos and nibbling on them. Bored, bored, bored. She sighed, loud enough for Spike to hear.

“What with you, Summers?” he muttered before taking a bite of his burger.

Buffy slowly withdrew the spoon from her mouth, making sure she got all of it. “Bored,” she replied after swallowing.

Spike stared at her for a moment, his eyes oddly fastened on her lips. Buffy’s hand raised up to wipe away any ice cream. “Is there something on my face?”

Spike shook his head. “No.” He quickly shoved the burger into his mouth, taking time to chew. Weirdo, she thought.

Buffy nudged him. “Do you have any of your CDs with you?” His iPod was sitting in his lap but music fanatic he was, Spike probably had brought CDs along too.

He gave her a puzzled look. “Yeah, some of my Ramones CDs, but I highly doubt they’re up to your teenybopper tastes.”

Buffy’s nose crinkled with annoyance and distaste. “First of all, I do not have teenybopper tastes, and second of all…” she paused, taking out the CD in her Walkman and shoved it into Spike’s hands.

With wide eyes, he looked down at the CD and up at her. “The Dead Kennedys?”

Buffy nodded with satisfaction. “So…your CD?”

Spike laughed a little, a sound mixed with shock and well…respect. “Never pegged you for a rock/punk fan.”

“My cousin likes them. She introduced me to a bunch of her favorites and I was hooked. Besides, I never pegged you for a…” she looked at the cover of Spike’s book, “poetry fan.”

Spike glared at her but handed the CD over. “I want it back exactly the way I gave it to you,” he warned, “otherwise you’re buying me a new one, got it?”

Buffy mock saluted him. “Got it, sir!”

Joyce, hearing Buffy’s sarcastic tone, turned around. “Stop you two, we’ll be at the place in about a half hour.”

Buffy placed the CD in the Walkman and turned the volume up. Spike had already put his earphones back on, his attention drawn to his book, which was fine because he was just annoying her anyway. Picking up her McFlurry, Buffy spent the rest of the ride enjoying cookies and cream deliciousness and the sound of the Ramones.

********

“This is it?” Buffy asked dubiously, staring at the small beach house. It was older, the light blue with white trim paint faded and the garden overgrown, but what the house lacked in appeal, made up in location. The actual house was up on a slight hill with stairs that led to the beach. There was no one else nearby and the neighbors’ houses were blocked by thick clumps of trees on either side.

“Oh Buffy, isn’t it wonderful?” Joyce asked her daughter happily as she grabbed her suitcase. Giles was already unlocking the door while Spike held on to his and his dad’s suitcases.

“Come on dad, open the bloody door,” Spike grumbled, eager to drop off the heavy bags. What was his dad packing? It was nearly eight-thirty and the sun had set an hour ago, leaving the sky abnormally black without streetlights. The nearest town, Giles had informed them, was about a half-hour away.

“Ha!” Giles exclaimed as the door swung open. “Here we are.”


Everyone clambered into the house, ready to abandon their bags and relax. Being in a car for almost five hours wasn’t all that appealing for anyone.

Buffy looked around, taking in her surroundings. The inside was pretty much the same, old and worn but livable. She frowned slightly. “Um, Giles, where’s my room?”

Much to her surprise, Giles looked a little flustered. “Well, um,” he cleared his throat, “you and William will be sharing a bedroom. There’re two double beds and I’m sure you won’t have…”

Buffy had tuned Giles out at “sharing a bedroom.” She blinked hard and was tempted to pinch herself. Was he serious?

“Sharing a bloody room!” Spike shouted, hearing his father’s words.

Giles winced slightly. “William, don’t make this into a-a complicated matter. There are two beds and a bathroom. You two can manage for a few nights.”

Spike’s jaw tensed and for a moment, Giles thought his son was going to explode again, but instead he just nodded shortly.

“Uh…” Buffy said, unsure. “Share?”

“Get with the program, Summers,” Spike snapped and grabbed her suitcase. “The bedroom is over here.”

She followed him, her brow furrowed. There were, in fact, two double beds and more than enough room for them to somewhat comfortably share. Buffy set her bag on the bed closes to the bay window while Spike set his on the one near the bathroom.

“Guess we’re soddin’ roommates,” Spike said, meeting her gaze. His voice echoed his annoyance but also a tinge of amusement.

Buffy let out a short laugh. “I guess we are.” She smiled a little, relaxing slightly. “Come on, it won’t be that bad.”

“Please,” Spike scoffed, “us? We’re gonna nearly kill each other.”

“Our friendship is weird,” Buffy commented.

Spike had to laugh at that. “Are we?”

“Yes,” Buffy replied confidently, “we can…sometimes…get along. Okay, it’s a twisted version of getting along, but we do. And you’re right, mom and Giles are probably eventually going to get married and we’re gonna be stuck together, so might as well really try to be, friends, I mean.”

Spike regarded her, his head tilted in an almost…sexy way. Ugh, Buffy reminded herself, almost stepbrother here.

“Okay,” Spike simply answered.

“Good.”

They stood there staring at each other before Buffy busied herself with unpacking her own items.

“So…” Spike drawled, breaking the silence, “you swim?”

**********

Buffy begged out of sitting with the family after about a half hour of listening to her mother and Giles being all cutesy with each other. Gag, she thought. In her, or she should say their, room, Buffy was flipping through her magazine when Spike stepped out of the shower, his excuse for avoiding the nauseatingly in- love couple.

Buffy tried to discreetly look at Spike. He was annoyingly leaning around the doorframe revealing his muscular torso and sharp hips to her admittedly hotness-deprived eyes. When was the last time she’d seen a guy that built?

“Summers.” Spike’s voice cut through her hidden ogling.

“Yeah?” She replied, trying to sound unfazed.

“Hand me my shirt would you?” He asked.

Buffy sighed loudly so he’d know she was irritated and walked over to his bed where a black shirt was sitting. “Here,” she said, tossing the shirt into the bathroom. “Why couldn’t you get it yourself?”

“Because I don’t have a bloody towel. I left it in my bag. So unless you were looking for a gratuitous view…” he trailed off.

“Ew,” was all Buffy said as she sat back down on her bed. Actually, if she were totally honest with herself, she wouldn’t have minded all that much. If only that body belonged to someone other than Spike.

She yawned suddenly and realized she was kinda tired. She glanced over at the clock to see it was almost ten. Early-ish for her, but she had gotten up at six-thirty for school.

“I’m going to bed,” she announced and wiggled around to pull the covers back. She’d already washed her face and brushed her teeth before Spike came in to take a shower, so she was all set.

“Fine,” Spike said through the door, “I’m beat myself.” He opened the bathroom door wearing a shirt and boxers. For some reason, Anya’s comment came back to her. The one about Spike sleeping naked. She swallowed hard and looked away, intent on ignoring that thought.

“Night, Summers,” Spike said, his voice muffled by pillows.

“Night,” Buffy managed and turned the light off quickly. “See ya in the morning.”

She could almost see Spike’s smirk. “Run?”

Buffy felt her own smile on her lips. “Absolutely. Ten bucks okay?”

**************

The next morning was slow. Buffy woke up around ten in the morning feeling fully rested. She stretched, arching her back and let out a slight groan.

She glanced over to see Spike’s bed was empty and made, a sure sign he’d been up for a while. Buffy sat up and put her slippers on before walking out.

They were all sitting at the table playing a card game and it looked like Giles was winning, judging by his pleased expression.

Her mother noticed Buffy first and smiled at her. “Hey, look who’s up. Did you sleep well?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, pretty good.”

Spike scoffed. “Glad you did, I was treated to a symphony of snores.”

Buffy’s mouth dropped indignantly. “I do not snore! Mom, tell him!”

Joyce shrugged, a grin tugging on her lips. “I don’t know…I’ve heard some distinct snore-like noises coming from you before.”

Buffy glared at her mother who just patted her arm and silently offered her a cup of coffee, which she accepted.

“Well,” Giles began, “today I think Joyce and I are going to stop into town and pick up food and anything else we need. Do you want to come?”

Buffy looked forlornly out at the beach. “Nah, I think I’m gonna stay and hang out by the beach. I haven’t done that in a while.”

“I’m gonna come with,” Spike piped up. “I want to see if I can find an extra swimsuit. But first, Buffy and I are going for a run.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Oh yeah,” she said, remembering their brief conversation before sleeping.

“Yeah,” Spike replied grinning, “And I’ve got a trail all picked out for us. Come on, get dressed.”

Buffy scowled at him but complied, walking back into the room and fished through her clothes for a shirt, shorts and socks. She dressed quickly in the bathroom and brushed her teeth and hair.

She slipped her running shoes on and met Spike by the front door.

“Ready?” He asked, tying his shoes.

“Yep,” Buffy answered while stretching.

“Let’s go!”

***************

“Ha!” Buffy said with triumph. Her breath was ragged but she didn’t care. She’d got the ten bucks. “I win.”

“Bloody…hell,” Spike panted. “What did they stick in your coffee?”

“It’s the trail,” she told him, “it’s so pretty…helps me move.”

“That’s a soddin’ contradiction,” Spike accused as the dragged themselves into the house.

“Whatever. Dibs on shower!” Buffy yelled and ran into the bathroom, slamming the door shut.

Spike stopped. “Bloody hell,” he repeated. Although, Buffy in the shower wasn’t helping him either. All throughout the run he’d been watching her, every detail from the way the muscles in her legs flickered as she ran to the way her face looked, shining with perspiration and cheeks flushed. That, Spike decided, was the reason he’d lost. He’d been too entranced by the bloody bint. The only pestering question was why.

**********

Actually, Buffy was beginning to realize, taking a shower was kind of stupid since she was going swimming anyway. She stepped out a few minutes later and pinned her hair up as much as she could and changed into her favorite black bikini. Simple yet skimpy enough for tanning.

Grabbing her towel and a bag of chips, Buffy put her flip-flops on and went to find her mom. Joyce was sitting on back with a book in hand, reading intensely.

“Hey, I thought you guys were going to town?” Buffy asked, sitting next to her mother, chomping on chips.

“We are,” Joyce answered, taking a fist full of potatoes chips, “but William needs to take a shower first.”

Buffy nodded. “Okay, well I’m gonna go to the beach.”

“Wait,” Joyce said and patted the spot Buffy had vacated. She cautiously sat back down, watching her mother carefully.

“I just wanted to make sure everything is okay,” Joyce said, reassuring Buffy it was nothing bad. “I know you and William don’t get along that well…”

“We’re fine,” Buffy said quickly, “really.”

“I know, it’s just…” Joyce paused, “are you okay? Moving and everything was hard for you but sometimes…I feel like you’re sad and I don’t know why.”

Buffy swallowed. “No mom, I’m fine. Just…I miss Faith sometimes.” The lie about being okay came easily, which only made Buffy feel guiltier.

“Oh, well maybe she can come down sometime,” Joyce answered hopefully.

“Yeah, I’d like that,” Buffy said and realized it was true. She did miss her cousin, her best friend and the only one who knew the whole story. But that was a downside as well, she wasn’t sure if she was ready to face all of that.

“Well,” Joyce stood up, seeing Rupert waving from inside the house, “I think they’re ready. You sure you don’t want to come?”

“I’m sure,” Buffy answered, picking up her towel. “Buy something yummy for me!” She called out and then walked down the steps to the beach. She surveyed the area and spotted a large wood raft about twenty feet out in the water. It seemed like a good place to sit and tan, she decided.

Gingerly, Buffy stepped into the water, shivering. It was freezing, possibly beyond freezing.

“One, two, three!”

On three, she dove in, the cold water shocking her skin. Buffy broke through the water, sputtering and chattering. Good god was it cold! She treaded water for a few minutes, trying to warm up slightly before swimming over to the raft.

Climbing up the rusty railing, Buffy shivered again as a breeze danced across her skin forming goose bumps. The raft was warm from being out in the sun all day and after a little while, she dried off and warmed up slightly.

Somehow, Buffy found herself drifting off to sleep only to wake up with her skin pink all over.

“Great,” she mumbled to herself, poking her arm and watching it turn white then red again. “Yep, I’m burnt.”

She sighed and glanced back at the house. They weren’t back yet but judging by the sun, she must have fallen to sleep for about an hour or so. With her skin radiating heat, it felt uncomfortable sitting out in the sun, and Buffy stood up to jump back into the water when something Faith had once said came back to her.

B, skinny dipping is the closest to heaven you’ll ever get. Try it.

At the time Buffy had backed out, mostly because they’d been there with Faith’s flavor of the week and his dumb friend who was supposed to be Buffy’s date. But now…

She quickly untied her top and pulled off the bottom half before jumping in. Once again, the cold water was shocking and it took a few minutes to adjust but once she did…

Holy shit, Faith was most definitely right.

Buffy lazily swam around the raft, enjoying the water caressing her bare skin. It was freeing with an underlying sexy feeling to be so exposed. She floated on her back, using her hands to propel herself. Her eyes closed and she breathed deeply.

She wasn’t sure how long she lay like that, floating around the raft, but eventually she swam around a little, even doing laps.

She giggled at the thought of what her old gym teacher would say if she saw her. The woman had been a neurotic neat freak and had specific rules on what was appropriate and what wasn’t. She’d have a heart attack at the sight of her best swimmer doing naked laps.

“Buffy!” She blinked and stopped swimming. Did someone just say her name?

Buffy looked up to see Spike in swim trunks setting his towel down. He waved again at her. “Summers!”

Oh no, no, no, no. Buffy could feel her whole body clenching and heart hammering. Spike was swimming towards her now and all she could do was panic. When had they gotten home? Had she been so oblivious she’d missed it?

“Hey, Summers,” Spike said as he reappeared from underwater much closer to her. “Didn’t you hear me?”

“Uh,” Buffy said, slowly moving away from him. “No.”

Spike frowned at Buffy’s slightly pink and worried face. She looked deathly afraid and her eyes kept flickering to the raft half in front of her. “How long have you been out here?”

“Um…” he was coming closer now, only a mere ten feet away. “Afternoon.”

Spike’s frown deepened. “What the bloody hell is with you?” She kept backing away and behind the raft.

“I’m, uh, swimming, busy,” she stuttered, her eyes wide.

Spike ducked underwater and swam closer. When he popped up next to her, Buffy shrieked and slid under, moving away.

“Summers, what the hell is your problem?” Spike demanded.

“I’m just…I wanna be alone!” She nearly shouted.

Spike froze, watching her with a mixture of fear and annoyance. “Fine, be alone I don’t…” he trailed off as he noticed her shoulder had a tan line from a strap, but the strap wasn’t there. A devilish grin spilt across his face. “Summers…” he spoke slyly, “are you topless?”

Immediately, Buffy’s face went bright red. “N-no,” she stumbled over her answer.

Spike’s grin widened. “Yes you are. I never in a million bloody years would have ever thought you’d be an exhibitionist,” he chuckled slightly.

“Spike…stop,” Buffy muttered, shutting her eyes briefly out of humiliation. When she opened them again, Spike had moved from ten feet to about three feet in front of her. Too close. Her heart sped up and she swallowed hard.

“You. Are,” Spike said and then to prove his point he reached out and touched the tan line on her shoulder. “See?”

Buffy was fairly certain Spike could hear her heartbeat by now and her breath which was coming in short pants. A skittering bolt of heat shot down to her core. Oh god, she was getting turned on. Bad, bad, bad Buffy, she admonished herself.

Spike’s finger still lingered on her shoulder and of its own violation, it seemed, the digit slowly moved to her collarbone, fingering it slightly.

“Uh…” She had to stop this. “I’m not wearing anything at all.”

Or that was one way to do it.

Spike reeled back and stared at her, eyes wide. “You mean…?”

She nodded miserably. “I’m naked as the day I was born. Please, Spike, just go.”

Topless, Spike could handle, but the very thought of Buffy swimming there wearing nothing, leaving her completely bare…oh fuck.

“Right,” he managed. “I’ll go. Er, your mum wanted me to tell you she bought a bunch of sandwich stuff, in case you were hungry.”

“Okay,” Buffy said, her voice tiny, “I’ll, uh, do that.”

Spike nodded and swam off. He wanted to get as far away from the very, very tempting-ness of Buffy naked. From her smooth naked flesh being only a foot away. God he really was screwed.

Buffy, with fumbling fingers, grabbed her bikini from the raft and put the two pieces on. She swam back to shore and shakily made her way up to the house. She could only hope that Spike would erase the whole incident from his mind.
Confinement Part II by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
first off, thanks sooo much for all the reviews and all you readers. Second, soooo sorry for the long break/delay. I was gone for a little over a week and I was also having a lot of trouble perfecting this chapter. Unforetunately, I will be gone from July 28-August 9...sorry! I promise an update shortly after I get back.

Thanks again and enjoy!
Chapter 18: Confinement Part II


Six hours, forty-two minutes and ten seconds.

That was how much time had passed since Spike had been within two feet of ‘Naked Buffy’. Not that he was keeping track.

He spared another glance at her reclining on her bed, thumbing through yet another girly magazine.

Spike opened his mouth for the thousandth time that evening to attempt filling the empty silence, but nothing came out. His overactive imagination kept replaying that moment when he’d touched her collarbone, just above the swell of her perky breasts. And then his overactive imagination proceeded to give him a nice visual of what could have happened…in an alternate universe.

Sighing slightly, his eyes flickered over to Buffy once again. She was attractive, he could admit that. Up until recently, he had mostly just physically found her appealing, but now…it wasn’t just that. He actually liked her! Despite the fact she was annoying and pushy and stubborn all the while plainly pissing him off, he liked her. He enjoyed the challenge of running with her and the way her eyes glittered with triumph when she won or the pout when she lost. Small insignificant details that made his heart jump.

He really was fucked up.

Buffy sighed loudly and threw her magazine on the ground. “Stupid test.”

Spike’s eyebrow rose. “Test?”

Buffy was taken back by the sound of his voice. She shook her head. “Nothing, just something I was reading.”

“Right,” he drawled and returned to his book.

Buffy bit her lip, discretely watching Spike. So far he hadn’t mentioned anything about ‘The Incident’, but really, it was only a matter of time. He’s probably going to tell the whole friggin’ school about it, she thought miserably.

There was a knock on the door and Joyce poked her head in. “Buffy, ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ is on now, wanna watch with me?”

Buffy readily jumped off her bed. “Yep, sure,” she answered quickly, anything to get away from Spike and their awkward silence.

**********

The next morning, or more like early afternoon, Buffy finally woke up. She rubbed her eyes and then spared a blurry glance at the clock to see it was almost 1:00.

She sat upright, blinking. Was the time right? Buffy scrambled out of bed and spotted Spike’s cell phone and flipped it open to see the time was, in fact, exactly right.

Yawning, Buffy set the phone down and stumbled into the bathroom for a quick shower. Ten minutes later, she stepped out, feeling more awake.

Throwing on a pair of shorts and a tank top, she walked out to the porch where her mother was reading a book. At the sight of Buffy, Joyce smiled. “Wow, I thought you might sleep the day away! I went in to wake you, but you looked so peaceful, I thought I’d just let you stay in.”

“Mmmm,” Buffy murmured in consent. “Probably a good idea, I must’ve needed it. I can’t remember the last time I slept past 11:00.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re well rested,” Joyce replied with a little grin. “Rupert and I found this amazing shop just outside of town where the man does glass-blowing. It’s really amazing and I was thinking of showing some of his pieces, want to come take a look with me?”

“Yeah, that sounds cool,” Buffy answered, she still was, after all, avoiding Spike. Plus, glass-blowing was really cool, she conceded.

“Great! His bowls are amazing with thousands of different colors and shapes…you’ll love it. Anyway, I think we’ll leave in about a half-hour, sound good?” Joyce asked, glancing at her watch.

“Sounds good,” Buffy confirmed with a nod. “I’m just gonna get some lunch.”

“There’s still some leftover cold cuts from yesterday and some of that nice bread,” Joyce said thoughtfully as Buffy wandered back into the house.

“Cool, thanks!” She called back and entered the kitchen only to walk straight into Spike.

“Oof,” she mumbled.

“Summers, did anyone ever tell you you’re the biggest bloody klutz?”

“I am not!” she protested.

There was a brief pause, mostly consisting of Buffy glaring at Spike, and then his posture relaxed slightly. “I went running on this new trail, pretty looking but all bloody uphill…I mis-was sorry I couldn’t beat you this morning, would have been a jolly good time.”

Buffy scoffed. “Hello? Haven’t we made it crystal-clear that I so kick your ass every time?” After a second, her lower lip jutted out. “You went running with out me?” For some inexplicable reason, she couldn’t keep the hurt out of her voice.

“Yeah, well, you were doing the Sleeping Beauty thing,” Spike retorted. Especially, the beauty part, he mentally added.

Buffy’s pout became more pronounced and her brow furrowed. “You mean I missed out on the fun of beating you, yet again, because I was…sleeping?” The incredulousness of it stunned her.

“Well you were sleeping like a bloody rock and…your mum said not to wake you,” Spike said defensively.

Ah, Buffy thought, her mom played a role in it. “So, if my mom hadn’t said anything you would have woken me up, right?”

Spike nodded vigorously. “Absolutely, I would have chucked my shoe, dumped water on your head, the whole works.”

“Good.” Buffy replied with a firm nod of her own, and then added, “So…you missed me?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “As much as in it pains me to admit it, you’re not as annoying when we’re running.”

Buffy suppressed a grin at that. Hmmm…maybe this ‘friend’ thing wouldn’t be so bad. Which was all the more reason, she told herself, to resolve ‘The Incident’. “Listen…Spike,” Do it, Summers, “About yesterday…in the lake.”

“Forgotten,” Spike said immediately.

Buffy blinked, surprised by his quick response. She for sure thought he was going to drag it out, make her painfully rehash all the embarrassing details.

“Oh…right, forgotten,” she said in agreement. Then without giving it a second thought she added, “Thanks.”

“No problem,” Spike mumbled slightly. “I’m gonna take a nap, I’m bloody exhausted because I have this roommate who snores like-“

Buffy cut him off with a slug to the shoulder. “I do not snore!”

“Of course not,” Spike replied condescendingly, “It’s just the helicopter outside.”

“Shut up!”

“Great retort, Summers, very fourth-grade of you,” Spike said with a laugh.

“Buffy! We’re leaving!” Joyce words effectively cut through their banter.

“Off you go.” Spike waved towards the direction of the front door.

With a scowl and smidge of a pout firmly in place, Buffy stalked past Spike and out the door. Stupid head, she thought derisively. But a hot stupid head, that annoying little voice added.

“Ugh, shut up!” She mumbled herself as she got into the car.

*********

After spending an hour or so oohing and aahing over the amazing glass sculptures at the man’s workshop, Joyce had finally persuaded him to show a few pieces at her gallery.

Now Buffy was waiting as patiently as she could in the car for her mom and Giles to extract themselves from their favorite bowl. It was very expensive and they were debating whether to buy it or not.

Another ten minutes of this Buffy would buy the damn bowl herself just so they could finally leave. Not that the glass wasn’t cool, it’s just that there was only so long you could actually be entertained by it.

“Um…mom…Giles?” Buffy called out through gritted teeth.

“Oh Buffy, just another minute,” Joyce responded, sound harried.

“Ooh…kay,” she said slowly. “I guess in your world that really means another billion years,” she added under her breath.

Finally after what felt like another hour, Joyce and Giles had decided to buy the bowl and they were on their way back to the beach house.

Buffy reclined in the backseat, resting her eyes. She’d finished her third magazine long ago and her CDs bored her. Whatever, she thought, at least they were actually driving now.

Currently her mom and Giles were still oohing and aahing over the bowl, which Buffy thought was ridiculous since they bought it and were going to see it everyday.

Suddenly the car swerved to the left, lurching Buffy to the side. The tires squealed to a stop off the road.

Giles loudly let out a stream of British curse words while her mother kept asking if everyone was all right.

Buffy swallowed hard, her heart hammering inside her chest at a rapid pace. Flashes of the crash with Angel came back to her and she struggled to breath. Not now, she told herself, she was fine, everyone was fine, it was completely different.

“Buffy! Buffy!”

Her head jerked up to meet her mother’s worry-filled hazel eyes. “Buffy, are you all right?”

She nodded slowly. “I’m f-fine. I mean, I’m not hurt or anything.” She glanced around. “Are you guys okay?”

“We’re fine. I just can’t imagine how this happened,” Joyce exclaimed.

“I’ll tell you what bloody happened! The man nearly bloody killed us all! Drove us off the soddin’ road!” Giles cursed angrily.

Buffy had never seen Giles look so agitated or mad; he was always so calm.

“Rupert,” Joyce gently touched his arm, “We’re all okay, that’s what matters.”

Giles nodded and then turned to face Buffy. “I’m terribly sorry for my outburst, are you sure you’re okay?”

“Peachy,” Buffy responded giving him an attempt for a smile.

“Good, now let’s all take a few deep breathes and start heading back home again,” Joyce suggested.

Buffy nodded absently, but her mind kept bringing up the memories of the crash with Angel and the near fatal one now. Angry tears threatened to spill over. She thought she was over it now! She really thought that the confession to Willow and Angel’s grave with Darla there had given her the closure she needed.

But if not, what would?

*************

Sighing, Buffy fell in a heap on her bed and shut her eyes. Emotional exhaustion really was…exhausting. It was only a little after 5:30, but given the option, Buffy was pretty sure she could have fallen back to sleep and not wake up till the next morning.

“Joyce and dad told me about what happened on the way back.” Buffy squeezed her eyes shut at the sound of Spike’s voice and then opened them with a deep sigh.

“Yeah…?” She said, encouraging him to continue. She didn’t move from her fetal position on her bed.

Spike hesitated before asking, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine! Why does everyone keep asking me that?” Buffy blurted out.

Spike shrugged, looking a little taken back. “Listen Summers, car accidents, even almost ones, are a bloody terrifying thing. A while back I was in the car with…my ex and we swerved and hit a tree. It wasn’t that bad, but it was probably the single most terrifying moment of my life.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Thank you for the insight, Oh Great One, but I’m fine. I’m just…tired.”

Spike opened him mouth to retort, but stopped at exhausted and wan look on Buffy’s face. “Okay,” he finally said, “I’ll tell Joyce you aren’t feeling well.”

“Thanks,” she said quietly and then closed her eyes.

Spike watched her for a moment and then shut the door.

******
She was having a nightmare.

At first she was standing outside, the air balmy, the sky clear and Angel, looking alive and well, was standing next to her.

In her hands she held the most beautiful, precious little baby she’d ever seen. It was giggling, or so she guessed.

For some reason she couldn’t quite hear the baby or Angel, just a constant buzzing sound, but Angel kept pointing ahead and gesturing for her to come with.

She half-heartedly followed his finger to see a dark area, a storm. She knew it was bad. The foreboding clouds sitting low in the sky with distant flashes of lightening.

She shook her head no and kept yelling, even screaming, for him to just stay here. But he wasn’t listening and somehow they were there in a matter of seconds.

Everything shifted.

It was the crash. But now she was there in third person and kept watching it happen over and over again.

“Buffy!”

“Buffy!”

“Buffy!” Spike nearly bellowed, shaking her again. Finally her eyes fluttered open, sticky with tears.

She was still half-crying in his arms, not loudly, but her shoulders were shaking.

“Jesus,” he muttered as he awkwardly wrapped his arms around her. She wasn’t even really there, she just kept crying softly into his chest.

After a minute, her tears subsided and Buffy pulled back in confusion. “S-spike?”

He kept his arms securely locked around her so she couldn’t get away. “What the hell was that?”

Buffy blinked slowly, trying to clear her head. “I was having a nightmare.”

“A bloody idiot could tell me that!” Spike snapped. “You were fuckin’ crying!”

Instantly she straightened, her still damp eyes turning cold. “No one asked you to comfort me,” she spat and struggled to wiggle out of his grasp.

“No,” Spike bit out, not letting her go. “You don’t get to say that. I came in to find you mumbling in your sleep about a bloody angel and crying like there was no soddin’ tomorrow.”

“I’m fine!” Buffy said but her voice was raw and thick and unconvincing.

“No you’re not,” Spike retorted. Without thinking, he reached out and tilted her chin, not hard but firmly, so her dark grotto green eyes met his startling blue ones.

Neither of them spoke or broke eye contact until Buffy’s gaze slid down to his lips. That single look broke a dam inside him and he leaned down to kiss her.

Surprised didn’t even cover it. Buffy gasped at the touch of his lips on hers, which seemed to only further encourage him. The kiss started light, unsure but heady.

A surge of unexpected need possessed Buffy and she kissed him back feverishly. She had stopped thinking, stopped wondering, and stopped caring. All that mattered was the dizzying and exhilarating feel of Spike’s lips.

After what could have been five minutes or five hours later, they broke apart, struggling for breath.

“Oh,” she said softly.

“Oh,” he echoed and cleared his throat.

Oh!” This ‘oh’ was less ‘pleasantly surprised’ and more ‘oh god! Oh god! What did I just do?’

“Bad, bad, bad, bad,” Buffy repeated and slipped out of Spike’s embrace.

Confusion marred his face. “Wait, Summers…Buffy, what’s the hell talking about?”

“That!” She half-shrieked.

“The kiss?” Spike asked, frowning.

“Yes! The…” Buffy couldn’t even finish her sentence. Stupid, stupid self, she berated. Why was it every time she felt lonely and needy she did something bad? Either it was dating an older guy, whom she had just had a traumatizing nightmare about, or it was kissing almost stepbrothers she didn’t even like!

“Oh god,” she moaned, rubbing her head.

“Summers, what is the bleedin’ problem?” Spike asked, agitated.

“The ‘bleedin’ problem’? The ‘bleedin’ problem’ is that our parents are dating and we’re not supposed to like each other! Remember we’re pains in each other’s asses,” Buffy hissed.

Spike seemed unfazed. “You know, Summers, you do a really poor British accent. It’s all wrong.”

“Who cares about my stupid British accent?! I-“ Buffy stopped herself and exhaled slowly. Calming down slightly, she met Spike’s eyes, her face serious. “Please, just…go, okay?”

Seeing Buffy’s face combined with the headache from all the confusion, Spike stood up and walked over to his bed and climbed in without another word.

Buffy guiltily bit her lip. She wasn’t trying to be mean, it was just that she didn’t like him like that, at all. Not to mention the awkwardness of them dating and their parents…it was all just very, very wrong.

A fluke, she told herself, it was just a fluke.

But if it was, why did it make her feel like…that?
Avoidance by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
Yep, I'm back, expect pretty regular updates-yay! Thanks soo much for the reviews and thanks to my beta-you rock!

Enjoy the chapter!
Chapter 19: Avoidance


The morning sunlight streamed through the windows, effectively waking Buffy up. She laid there for a few moments, eyes closed as the previous night’s disaster came back to her.

“Oh god,” she groaned under her breath and flipped over so her head was buried in her pillow. In the harsh light of day, her stupidity looked even…stupider.

How could he kiss her? How could she kiss him back?

It was so unexpected and yet at the same time…Buffy knew she had been slightly attracted to him. But being her idiotic self, she had to…god she was stupid.

Finally mustering the courage, Buffy opened one eye and glanced over at Spike’s bed to see it was thankfully empty. She sat up and sighed as she climbed out of bed to throw on clean clothes.

Quietly tip-toeing out of her room, she headed into the kitchen and grabbed a lone banana sitting on the counter.

“Morning, sweetie.”

Buffy jumped, her heart racing. She shut her eyes and opened them, exhaling loudly. “God, you scared me.”

“Sorry,” Joyce apologized and sat down at the island. “I didn’t mean to. How are you feeling? William told us you went back to bed when we got home.”

“I’m better,” Buffy answered, nibbling on the banana. “It was just some weird sleepy/cold thing. I’m back to 100% ‘Healthy Buffy’.”

Joyce smiled. “I’m glad.” She took a sip of her coffee. “You missed the movie last night. It was great, lots of action with various limbs torn off.”

Buffy’s nose scrunched up in distaste. “Sounds fabulous,” she said, sarcasm dripping from her words.

Joyce rolled her eyes. “Oh, it was. Unfortunately, it was William’s pick for the evening.”

Buffy cleared her throat, trying to look nonchalant. “Speaking of Spike, where is he?”

“Oh, he went for a run. I guess he wanted to get one in before we headed out.” Joyce paused, looking pensive. “You know, he was awfully quiet this morning, did he say anything to you?”

Buffy swallowed hard, feeling a little guilty. “Um, no why?” She asked quickly.

Joyce’s frown deepened and she tapped her chin thoughtfully. “I don’t know, I thought maybe something happened.”

“Nothing happened!” At Joyce’s puzzled look, Buffy quickly amended her words. “I mean, why would you think something happened?”

Joyce just shook her head. “It’s probably nothing, just teenage boys being teenage boys.”

Just not in the way you think, Buffy thought, but out loud she changed the subject. “So, what time are we leaving?”

****

Buffy had managed to repack all of her clothes and toiletries. It was a tight fit, make that extremely tight, but she zippered her bag shut and let out a ‘Ha!’ of triumph.

Quickly, she ran her brush through her hair and left it down before dragging her bag out onto the front porch where, of course, Spike was walking up the steps, his shirt sticking to his back, sweat trickling down his face.

Buffy averted her eyes. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Spike mumbled back and walked past her into the house without another word.

Buffy blinked, staring at the door. She had to admit, his attitude puzzled her. After what happened the night before, she was sure he was going to be pushy about it; constantly reminding her, giving her those smirks and making innuendo-y comments.

Instead he was…not Spike.

Biting her lip, Buffy pushed her concern away. She’d gotten what she wanted; it was like the incident had never happened. Both of them, she remembered, wincing at the thought of the lake.

Shaking her head slightly, she grabbed her bag and threw it in the car. Time for Long Car Ride Part 2.

*******

About halfway into the drive back, Buffy must have fallen asleep because she woke up again to see the “Welcome to Sunnydale” sign.

“Mmm,” she mumbled, stretching as best she could.

“Can you please move your hands?” Spike’s voice was monotone and after a second of sleep-induced stupidity, Buffy complied, feeling awkward.

“Sorry,” she said but Spike had already slipped his headphones on, his face buried in a book.

Ugh, ugh, ugh. Buffy stared out her window. Everything was so weird and awkward. She wondered what Spike was thinking. Probably freaked out by her freak show last night. After all, she’d managed to sob in his arm, kiss him and shove him off in the span of fifteen minutes. Yep, freak show for sure.

Giles turned into the driveway and Buffy hopped out as soon as the car stopped. She opened the trunk and pulled out her bag, eager to do some thinking in her room. Spike obviously had the same idea since he reached around her, grabbed his duffle bag and walked into the house, slamming the door.

Giles glanced up with a frown at the front door. “I wonder what’s wrong with him?” He asked, half to himself.

Buffy shrugged. “Probably something lame like a bad score on a video game,” she suggested lamely. Actually, she wasn’t sure she’d ever seen Spike playing video games since she’d met him.

“Perhaps,” Giles replied hesitantly and picked up his bag.

Joyce grabbed her small duffle and joined Giles. “Don’t worry, honey, he’s a teenage boy. They’re bound to be moody more than once and a while.”

Giles lips curled into a thin smile. “I feel certain I can agree with that.” He held the door open for Buffy and Joyce as they dragged, especially Buffy, their bags in.

“Thanks. I’m gonna go put my stuff away,” she announced.

“Okay, throw anything you want washed outside your room and I’ll pick it up. I have a feeling it’s gonna be a big load this time,” Joyce told her as she walked to her room.

“Okay, mom,” Buffy answered.

“Oh and Buffy?” Joyce called out.

Buffy stopped. “Yeah?”

“Don’t forget to do your homework.”

******

“Stupid Algebra 2.”

Buffy, for the fifth time, erased her answer with a sigh. She’d been working on her math homework for about twenty minutes and she still wasn’t finished.

She was about to throw her notebook across the room in frustration when someone knocked on the door.

“Yeah?”

Joyce poked her head in. “It’s me. Willow and a girl named…Fred called a couple times. Willow’s sounded pretty urgent.”

Buffy jumped up and took the phone from her hand. “Thanks mom, I’ll get right on that.”

Joyce gave her a look. “Just make sure you’re homework is all done.”

Buffy nodded. “Yep, no problem.” As soon as her mother shut the door, she belly-flopped onto her bed and dialed Willow’s number. The phone rang a couple of times before Willow’s chipper voice greeted her.

“Rosenberg residence, Willow speaking,” she said professionally.

Buffy giggled. “It’s me, Buffy.”

Instantly Willow’s tone changed. “Oh hey! Did you get my messages?”

“I haven’t heard them, but my mom said you called. What’s up?” Buffy questioned, twirling a chunk of her hair in her fingers. It was like a flashback to her cheerleader days, sitting on her bed mindlessly talking to a friend.

“Oh!” Willow gave a short laugh almost nervous. “Nothing much. I was just calling to see how you were. Soooo…how was the trip?”

Buffy made a face. “Don’t ask,” she mumbled darkly. She’d been debating whether to Willow about the kiss, but now, talking to her, the answer was a definite no. “So…why’d you call? Something wrong?”

“No, no!” Willow said quickly, her voice high. “It’s nothing I just wanted to know how the beach house was, but I guess it wasn’t that great, huh?” She gave another nervous laugh.

“Um…not really,” Buffy said cautiously. Willow wasn’t a very good liar, she noted. Something was up. “Okay, well, I’ll talk to you tomorrow. You’ll have to tell me any juicy stuff that happened while I was gone.”

This time Willow’s laugh sounded normal. “Promise.”

They each said their good byes and Buffy hung up with a small frown. She couldn’t help but wonder why Willow had been so strange. If it wasn’t that big of a deal, she’d have told her on the phone, but it was almost like Willow knew something and couldn’t or wouldn’t tell.

The phone rang in Buffy’s hand, startling her. She pushed the TALK button. “Hello?”

“Hi, Buffy? It’s me, Fred.”

“Hey,” Buffy said, genuinely happy to hear from the brunette. “My mom said you’d called and I was just about to call you back.”

“Great minds think alike,” Fred joked. “So, you heard about the meet next weekend?”

Buffy vaguely remembered Coach Adler talking about it. “I think so, is that the one in Carmel?” She asked, naming the nearby town.

“Yep,” Fred confirmed, “some of the best runners will be there, so Coach is scheduling an extra practice on Friday and I said I’d call you because she didn’t have your e-mail address.”

“Thanks,” Buffy said, grateful. “I don’t actually have an e-mail address, but I’ll get one set up and tell her.”

“Good idea, Coach likes to do e-mails instead of calling, takes less time,” Fred told her. “So…how was your weekend?”

Buffy groaned and Fred laughed at her reaction. “That bad, huh?”

“Not really,” Buffy admitted. Except for the whole naked in the lake and kissing thing, she mentally added. “But let’s just say me and Spike forced in the same room, not a good thing.”

“The same room?” Fred repeated, sounding puzzled.

“We had to share a room,” Buffy mumbled.

Immediately, Fred gasped and tried to stifle her laughter. “Oh no, you poor thing.”

“Definitely not planning on reliving that,” Buffy agreed dryly.

“You’ll have to tell me all about it tomorrow,” Fred told the blonde.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I will,” she paused. “Hey have you talked to Willow this weekend? I just talked to her and she sounded weird.”

“Actually, I tried calling her and so did Xander, but she wasn’t there all weekend. Do you think something’s wrong?” Fred asked, worry creeping into her voice.

“No, I’m sure she’s fine, probably just freaking out over a 99 on a test.” Even to her own ears, Buffy’s answer sounded lame.

“Yeah,” Fred agreed, sounding doubtful as well.

“Okay, I’ve got to go now,” Buffy announced apologetically, “Algebra 2 is slowly killing me. Plus I haven’t even started my other homework.”

Fred giggled. “Meet me by the fountain before school; I’ll help you with the problems you don’t get.”

“Oh my god, thank you!” Buffy gushed. “I thought I was gonna have to resort to blaming my imaginary dog that ate my Algebra book.”
A Lesson in Responsibility by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the awesome reviews and mucho thanks to my beta-you're amazing!-

Enjoy the chapter!
Chapter 20: A Lesson in Responsibility


Returning to school on Tuesday was impossibly hard. Buffy had barely managed to crawl out of bed, put something sensible on and drag herself into Spike’s car before drifting back to sleep.

Ten minutes later, she was rudely awakened with a shove.

“We’re here, Summers,” Spike said gruffly as Buffy’s eyes fluttered open.

“Nnngh?” She mumbled, rubbing her face.

Spike rolled his eyes and swung open his door, bag in hand. “Let’s go,” he said impatiently.

Buffy squinted at the building in front of her and then groaned. She bent over to grab her own backpack, slinging it over one shoulder as she slid out of the car.

“Wow, aren’t you pleasant?” She muttered sarcastically under her breath. Spike hadn’t heard her, or at least was pretending he hadn’t. Buffy walked in the opposite direction towards the courtyard where Fred was waiting to help her with her homework.

“Which problems?” Fred asked with a sympathetic face.

“Try all of them,” Buffy responded with a sigh as she plopped down on the bench.

Fred quickly got to work on explaining the formulas and by the time the five minute bell rang, Buffy’s sheet was complete and she was actually starting to get it.

“You know,” Buffy began as the walked in the building, “you’re a really good tutor.”

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Fred replied with a wave of her hand.

“No seriously, you are. Listen, I’m kinda struggling with my Chem as well, hazard of switching schools during the actual school year, maybe you could tutor me?” Buffy asked hopefully. “I’ll pay you.”

“Of course not! I’d be happy to help you, no payment necessary,” Fred protested.

Buffy shook her head. “I can’t not pay you. If not money, let me do something for you, as a thank you.”

“Well…” Fred began, biting her lip. “You know about the Halloween dance, right?”

Buffy nodded. How could she not with Halloween only a week away, the hallways were littered with posters for the Halloween dance. From what Buffy gathered, it was a big deal for Sunnydale High students, but she wasn’t exactly sure why.

“Wesley asked me to go and I’ve never really been a high school dance kinda person,” Fred frowned, “or a dance person at all, so I could really use your help finding a dress, shoes and doing make-up.”

Buffy grinned. “Absolutely, it’s perfect! As a former cheerleader, I am an expert in all things of make-up and dresses. And how come you never told me Wesley asked you?” She gave Fred a mock shove.

Fred ducked her head, a faint blush staining her cheeks. “He just asked me on Friday, at the Bronze. He said he was too nervous to ask me before.”

Buffy’s grin broadened. “This is so exciting! We’ll go after practice tomorrow, does that work for you?”

“Yep,” Fred confirmed. “And we’ll look for a dress for you too!”

Buffy’s face fell. “I don’t think I’m gonna go. I’d be like the seventh wheel.”

“Don’t forget Gunn and Gwen,” Fred added.

“Great, the ninth wheel,” Buffy said glumly.

“Oh come on, it’ll be fun. It’s not gonna be a date-thing, you have to come,” Fred cajoled.

Buffy made a face. “No, and yes it will be.”

She turned to enter her classroom as Fred called out, “Willow’s gonna use her resolve face on you if you tell her you’re not going.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. Willow’s infamous resolve face power was not lost on her. “We’ll see.”

*************

The next afternoon, Fred, Willow and Buffy were wandering around in the only mall Sunnydale had to offer. Anya had opted out, mostly because she was working and she had already ordered her dress online.

“What about April Fools?” Buffy suggested, pointing to the small boutique.

Willow and Fred nodded agreeably. They walked in and Buffy immediately pulled Fred over to the sales rack while Willow admired the many necklaces.

Buffy pulled out a dark sheath dress and held up to Fred. She backed up a step to get a better look and bumped into someone from behind.

“Oh,” she began, spinning around. “Sor-“ She cut herself off at the sight of an annoyed Harmony holding a bubblegum pink dress with strategically missing chunks.

“Watch where you’re going,” she snapped, flipping her fried hair over one shoulder. “Freak.”

Buffy eyed Harmony’s choice of formalwear with amusement. “Wow, Harm, what look are you striving for there? Hooker? Stripper?”

Behind Buffy, Fred let out a mix between a snort and a laugh.

Harmony’s eyes narrowed. “Funny, Muffy. What look are you going for… street urchin?”

Before Buffy could respond, the dressing room door swung open revealing Cordelia in a stunning, skin tight black dress. Her haughty gaze flickered over Buffy then Fred. “Oh look, it’s Muffy and…Bob. Aren’t you going out with Wesley? He’s cute, for a nerd.”

Harmony cackled at Cordelia’s barb while the brunette just gave them a conceding smirk. “So what do think?” She asked, turning to Harmony with a swivel. “Looks good, doesn’t it?”

“Parker will totally drool,” Harmony squealed gleefully.

“Of course he will,” Cordelia replied flippantly, while Harmony went on about her ‘so hot’ date.

Fred, Buffy and Willow took the opportunity to leave gracefully. As soon as they were out of the store, Buffy burst into laughter. “Oh my god, did you see Harmony’s dress?”

“Talk about skanky,” Willow agreed with an impish laugh.

“Willow!” Fred mock admonished. “Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?”

The redhead scoffed. “I’m sorry, but that bitch has been mean to us since we met, which is like preschool. Besides, she hates Buffy for no reason.”

Fred nodded in agreement. “Yeah, what’s up with that? I mean, you’ve only met her, like, once.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “She thinks I broke her and Spike up.”

Willow frowned. “How exactly?”

Shrugging, Buffy headed into the next store. “Beats me. Come on, we have dresses to buy, and only two hours to do so.”

After three more stores and a round of mochas, Willow had found a strapless bronze dress that fell just past her knees while Fred picked out a dark red skinny strap sheath dress. Buffy finally found her dress in one of the more expensive stores, but it was totally worth it.

“Wow, Buffy, it’s gorgeous,” Willow told her, admiring it.

Fred nodded. “It’s perfect, you have to buy it.”

Buffy spun, watching herself in the three-way mirror. The dress was a dark forest green silky material that fell to her knees. It was mostly open in the back and had two thin straps that tied at the neck.

It really was perfect.

“Okay,” Buffy finally agreed and grinned. “You win.”

******

Willow dropped Buffy off last and handed her the dress as she stepped out. “My mom’s gonna freak when she sees the price.”

“Just model the dress for her,” Willow suggested. “It’s too perfect to send back.”

“Good idea,” Buffy replied. “At least that way she’ll feel super guilty when she makes me return it.”

Willow gave an attempt at a reassuring smile. “Good luck!”

“Thanks,” Buffy said as she shut the door. “I’ll need it.” She waved once more as Willow pulled away from the curb, and then headed up the walkway. Opening the door slowly, Buffy peeked in.

“Hello?” She called out to the seemingly empty house. “Anybody home?” When no one responded, she crept in, holding her dress close and went up the stairs.

“Buffy?”

Internally swearing, Buffy turned around to see her mom standing at the bottom of the stairway. “Hi mom!” Her voice was squeaky and her smile strained.

Joyce’s gaze dropped to the bag in Buffy’s hand. “Oh, did you buy a dress for the dance?”

“Yep, so did Fred and Willow,” Buffy responded cheerfully.

“And my credit card?”

Buffy walked back down the stairs and reached into her pocket, pulling out the card. “Here. Thanks, for letting me use it.”

“No problem, I’m just glad you could find something,” Joyce answered. “Mind modeling it for me?” She sounded so excited, Buffy couldn’t turn her down.

“Sure, hold on a sec.” She raced upstairs and shut her door. Quickly, Buffy pulled off her clothes and bra and slid on the dress. For a moment she savored the feel of the dark silk against her skin before walking out.

Joyce’s eyes widened at the sight of Buffy in the lovely dark green dress. The color brought out her golden hair and skin and illuminated the green of her eyes. “Oh Buffy,” she breathed, “it’s beautiful. Where did you find it?”

Buffy glanced down and fingered the material. “Isn’t it? I found it at this place; I think it was called Nicola’s?”

Joyce’s face blanched. “Buffy,” she began slowly, “just how much was the dress?”

Avoiding her mother’s look, Buffy fidgeted. “A little more than I planned on spending, but I’ll pay it all back, I swear.”

“Buffy,” Joyce’s voice was sterner now. “How much was it?”

She bit her lip. “$275.”

“Two-hundred and seventy-five dollars!” Joyce exploded.

“I’ll pay you back I promise, every cent,” Buffy swore.

Joyce exhaled loudly, pressing her fingers against her temple. “And how do you plan on doing that?”

Buffy answered hesitantly, “A job? A-and maybe I can prove that I’m fully capable of handling a job and earn other privileges, say driving?”

Joyce held Buffy’s gaze for a minute, thinking. Finally, she blew out a breath. “Fine, you get a job and pay me back, and I’ll sign you up for Driver’s Ed.”

Buffy blinked. “Seriously?”

“Seriously,” Joyce confirmed.

The blonde leaped forward, hugging her mother tightly. “Thank you, thank you! You won’t regret it, I swear!”

“I hope not,” Joyce replied dryly. “And no quitting once you’ve paid me back. I expect you to keep your job if I’m signing you up for driving classes.”

Buffy nodded firmly. “I will. I can even ask Anya if her store is hiring, that way I could get a ride sometimes.”

Joyce nodded at her suggestion. “That’s a nice idea.”

Buffy grinned and gave her mother another spontaneous hug. “Thank you!”

“You’re welcome, now go change clothes and hang up your dress; you wouldn’t want to wrinkle it.”

“Okay,” she answered and proceeded to skip to her room.

“And Buffy?”

“Yeah?”

Joyce gave her a warm smile. “You look beautiful.”

Buffy smiled back. “Thanks."






(A/N: the scene between Buffy and her mom is almost exactly like something that happened between me and my mom a while ago, except it wasn't a dress I had bought.)
Getting Along by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the great reviews and in case I forgot to mention it in the A/N-thanks for whoever nominated me at Love's Last Glimpse round 16!

Thanks to my beta-you're awesome!
Chapter 21: Getting Along

“So?”

“She let me keep it!” Buffy said excitedly as she sat down at the lunch table.

Willow let out a little squeal. “Now you have no excuse not to come to the dance.”

Buffy pushed her re-refried beans around with her fork. “Except for the fact I don’t have a date.”

The redhead waved dismissively. “Please, Fred’s right, this isn’t a date-needed dance. Everyone just goes in groups. Besides, with your dress, some cutie is gonna ask you to dance for sure.”

“What cutie?” Anya asked as she plopped down next to Willow, munching on a French fry.

“The cutie that’s gonna drool all over Buffy in her new dress,” Willow answered with a grin.

“Ooh! Dresses!” Anya said, her eyes lit up with excitement. “What’s yours look like?” She asked Buffy.

“It’s a dark green silk halter dress,” Buffy answered. “Which I will be paying off for the next…oh, twenty years.”

Willow made a sympathetic noise. “Well, at least your mom didn’t make you take it back.”

“So what are you going to do?” Anya inquired, eating another fry. “Other than wallow in debt for the next twenty years?”

“Actually,” Buffy began slowly, “that’s what I wanted to ask you about. Is your store hiring by any chance?”

Anya’s eyes lit up at the mention of ‘store’ and ‘hiring’. “Absolutely! We’d be happy to accept your application. Have you had any previous work experience?”

“Anya, this isn’t an interview, it’s lunch time,” Willow told her with a roll of her eyes.

Buffy bit her lip. “Not really, but I’m a fast learner and extremely desperate.”

For a moment Anya stared at Buffy thoughtfully. “Okay, you’re hired!”

“Like that?” Buffy wondered out loud.
“Well, you still have to fill out an application and I have to give you an interview, but it’s all very pointless,” Anya explained and then clapped her hands. “Ooh! We are going to have fun, fun, fun!”

Willow giggled a little, giving Buffy a look that said ‘hey, you asked for it.’

“Fun,” Buffy responded with false enthusiasm. Definitely not what she thought of when the word ‘job’ was uttered.

Xander and Fred joined their table, Wesley a minute later. Of course, the conversation fell to the upcoming dance.

“So, Buffster, who’s your date?” Xander asked, followed by an “Ow!” as Willow stomped his foot.

“I don’t have one,” Buffy admitted.

Xander looked sheepish. “Well I could always fix you up…” he offered.

A world of no, Buffy thought, but out loud she declined politely. “That’s okay. I can go stag, no biggie.”

“I don’t know why you just don’t go with Spike,” Anya said with a shrug, ignoring Willow’s vehement shake of the head. “At least you could have a date, even though it’s not really a date date.”

Buffy’s mouth dropped. “Uh…I don’t think that’s such a good idea,” she finally managed to squeeze out, shocked.

“Spike doesn’t have a date?” Fred questioned, taking a bite of her sandwich.

Anya shook her head negative. “Nope, Harmony tried, but he turned her down.”

Buffy was slightly curious by that comment. “Really?”

Shrugging, Anya took a sip of her water. “He doesn’t seem all that interested in anybody, which is kinda weird for Spike. He always has some girl clinging to him.”

“Well, maybe he’s tired of having some girl clinging to him,” Willow suggested and then looked defeated. “Okay, probably not.”

Xander snorted. “Oh, he has someone alright. Mentioned a new girl, didn’t say her name though, but I guess he likes her ‘cause he’s being all defensive, like he was when he started going out with the Vampire Queen.”

Buffy felt a strange wave of disappointment at that. Stop it, Summers, she berated herself. Liking Spike was definitely not her thing. At all. So there was no reason to feel disappointed that Spike likes some slut.

The bell rang, effectively cutting of Buffy’s inner rambling. She quickly grabbed her bag and books, tossing her lunch out in the garbage. She and Willow headed to their next classes and Buffy pushed aside any thoughts about Spike and another girl.

Really.

*********

Buffy and Anya had agreed to meet by the main doors after practice, but so far only Buffy was there.

She looked around, not a little annoyed. “Where is she?” She asked out loud, peering over her sunglasses. Buffy sat on a step, running a hand through her hair, watching the parking lot.

Her eyes followed a red sports car as it zoomed across the parking lot and, much to her surprise, squealed to a stop in front of her.

Anya grinned at Buffy from inside the car. “Hop in.”

Buffy couldn’t help but grin back. She stood up and hoisted herself over the door, sliding into the smooth leather seat.

“Nice car.” She didn’t bother to hide her awe.

“I know,” Anya replied cheerfully. “A present for my sixteenth birthday from Daddy Dearest.”

Buffy’s eyebrows rose at the sarcasm at the mention of her dad. “Not your favorite person?”

Anya pulled away from the curb and sped through the parking lot. “Let’s just say he isn’t exactly around all that much, he’s too busy working and screwing his secretary of the month.”

Buffy let out a bitter laugh. “Trust me, I know what you mean. My dad isn’t winning Father of the Year awards either.”

Anya glanced at the blonde with a rueful smile. “Well, at least we can’t do worse.”

A half-smirk flittered across Buffy’s face. “Hell no.”

Anya jerked the steering wheel to the left, pulling into a small parking lot. Buffy eyed the words written on the building. “The Magic Box”

“You work at a magic store?” Buffy asked, clearly surprised.

Anya swung open her door. “Yep. You’d be amazed at the profits. Come on, you can meet Mr. Jeff Dumphry”

Buffy scrambled out of the car, trying to keep up with Anya’s fast pace. “Who?”

“The owner,” Anya responded, opening the door. “Mr. D! I’m here!”

Much to Buffy’s amazement, a handsome man, maybe in his late twenties, stepped out from behind the back door. “How many times have I told you to stop calling me that, Anyanka?”

Anya’s nose scrunched up. “If you’d stop calling me Anyanka, I might stop too.” She turned to Buffy. “Jeff, this is my friend and future employee. Buffy, this is Jeff, your future boss.”

Jeff shook Buffy’s hand warmly and smiled. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too,” Buffy replied, finally finding her voice. She turned to Anya. “Um, not to sound stupid or anything, but who’s Anyanka?”

Anya rolled her eyes. “It’s my real name. I know, it’s awful, I don’t know what my mother was thinking.”

“So,” Jeff spoke, “you’re interested in working here?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, I really needed a job and Anya’s always talking about how much she likes her job, so I thought I’d apply.”

Anya walked over to the desk and leaned over, grabbing a sheet of paper from the other side. “Here,” she said, handing the paper to Buffy. “It’s an application. Fill it out and then give it to me tomorrow at school.”

Jeff’s eyebrow rose. “You haven’t filled out an application yet?”

Buffy shrugged, feeling sheepish. “Well, I just asked Anya about a job today.”

“Well,” Jeff replied, clapping his hands. “I think it’s safe to say you’re hired.”

Buffy blinked. “Really?”

“Really,” Jeff confirmed.

“Oh, thank you,” Buffy said gratefully with a beam. “I can’t wait to start.”

“I like that,” Jeff told her with a firm nod. “Why don’t we start with a tour?”

“Right now?” Buffy asked doubtfully.

“Sure, unless you have plans,” Jeff answered.

“Nope, I’m plan-less,” Buffy said cheerfully.

Jeff smiled. “Great, let’s start with the back room…”

*****

After receiving the full tour, Anya drove Buffy home just in time for dinner.

“So,” Anya began as she pulled the car into the Summers/Giles’ driveway. “What’d you think?”

“Jeff seems nice, and the store is really cool,” Buffy answered. “Thanks, by the way, for, you know, vouching for me.”

Anya shrugged. “That’s what friends do. I’ll see you tomorrow, don’t forget the application!”

“I won’t!” Buffy replied, stepping out of the car. “Bye!”

Anya waved and then pulled out the driveway and with a roar, sped down Revello Dr. Buffy watched her go for a second, shaking her head slightly, before opening the door.

“Mom?” She called out. When no one responded she tried, “Giles?” Again, silence.

Buffy walked into the kitchen and spotted a note on the counter. She read it quickly, skimming over the words.

Buffy and Wiliam:

Rupert and I are having dinner with some friends of ours. Sorry we didn’t tell you sooner, they just called me this afternoon. We should be home before 11:00. Have fun and behave!

Love,

Mom (Joyce) and Dad (Rupert)

P.S. There’s 20 dollars for food, no pizza!


Buffy sighed and wandered into the living room. She didn’t really want to spend the evening with Spike, especially since they still weren’t technically talking. Pulling her hair back into a ponytail, Buffy sat down on the couch and turned the TV on.

After a few minutes of mindless TV, Buffy heard a car pull in the driveway. She could tell immediately it was Spike’s by the loud engine. Ignore the impulse to jump and run upstairs into her room, she stayed in front of the TV, fixated on flipping through channels.

The door slammed shut and Spike’s heavy boots clomped as he walked into the kitchen. The boots stopped and Buffy assumed he was reading the note.

“Bloody hell.” She heard him mutter. Then, “Summers? You here?”

“Yeah,” Buffy called back, her voice monotone. “Watching TV.”

Spike walked in, holding the twenty. “Right,” he paused. “How was practice?”

“Good,” was Buffy’s response.

“So…” Spike drawled and Buffy glanced up.

“Yeah?” She asked, prompting him to continue.

He held up the money. “Pizza?”

A faint smile graced Buffy’s lips. “Sure. Pineapple with extra cheese.”

A half hour later, the pizza had arrived, half pineapple with extra cheese and half everything, and Buffy and Spike were sitting in the living room eating and watching Fear Factor.

They had done the small talk thing and were now just focusing on the TV and their pizza.

“Could you do it?” Spike asked, referring to the woman being buried in bugs.

Buffy shrugged. “Maybe, I don’t know. Bugs aren’t my favorite things.” She turned to Spike. “What about you?”

“Nope, I’d bloody shoot myself before laying there covered in crawly things.”

Buffy was surprised at how quickly he answered. “Really?”

“Yeah,” Spike confirmed, looking a little defensive. “Don’t like bugs, haven’t since I was a kid.”

“And yet you ate one,” Buffy replied, remembering their conversation the last time they’d watched Fear Factor.

“Well, I was drunk, pet,” Spike said as if he was pointing on the obvious.

Buffy rolled her eyes and took another bite of pizza.

“What, you’ve never been drunk?” Spike asked, leaning back against the couch.

“No, it’s just I don’t think I eat worms when I’m drunk,” Buffy retorted.

Spike smirked. “Then what did you-“ His question was cut off by Buffy.

“What are you doing?” She asked, sitting up.

“Talking,” he replied slowly.

“Yeah but,” Buffy stopped and sighed before speaking again. “You’ve been avoiding me all week, ever since we…we came back from the beach house, and now you wanna talk?”
“I wasn’t avoiding you, Summers,” Spike responded with a roll of his eyes.

Buffy scoffed. “I’m pretty sure not talking to someone and ignoring them constitutes as avoiding.” She watched Spike’s face carefully as it turned cold. “Is this about…the kiss?” She said the last two words in a whisper.

“No!” Spike answered strongly.

“Good,” Buffy replied firmly. “Because it was just a thing. I was crying, you were being…not you, and it was just a fluke, right?”

Spike met her eyes. “Right.”

“Good,” Buffy repeated. “Now we go back to being whatever it is we are.”

“Friends,” Spike responding, almost like an offering. “Of sorts.”

Buffy smiled. “I like that.”

“Running tomorrow?” Spike asked, knowing the answer.

“Duh,” Buffy replied, rolling her eyes.

“And the bet?”

Buffy tapped her chin. “Hmm…I win and you tell me what Xander made you do that makes eating a worm look like eating cake.”

Spike’s eyes narrowed. “Fine. I win and you tell me your drunk story.”

“Deal,” Buffy said and they shook hands.

Spike picked up his dishes. “I’m heading out. See ya later.” He said after rinsing off his dishes and putting them in the sink.

Buffy followed suit. “Okay, later.”

Spike nodded and grabbed his keys and jacket before walking out the front door. As soon as he was gone, Buffy flopped back on the couch, flipping the channel. She tried to focus on The Breakfast Club, but her mind kept wandering back to their new bet.

Never had it been so important that she won, and Buffy Summers was definitely planning on leaving Spike’s ass in the dust.
Trick or Treat Part I by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the great updates and thanks to my beta. Enjoy this chapter!
Chapter 22: Trick or Treat Part I


Faster! Buffy’s mind screamed. She pushed herself, widening her stride, letting her feet pound on the pavement.

He was close, inches behind her. Dammit! She struggled to pick up her pace for the last quarter of a mile. She was not going to lose!

Spike’s eyes were trained on Buffy with supreme intensity. He could see every muscle flickering in her thighs, the bead of sweat trickling down the side of her face. He extended his stride. He was not going to lose!

Buffy pushed onward, feeling her muscles protest. Their house was just appearing, the large oak partially concealing the side of the house. All she had to do was beat him there, no problem.

Gracefully, Buffy leaped over a branch, keeping her pace steadily increasing. She made a sharp turn to avoid the Hendersons’ garbage bins, and silently praised herself for not tripping over them like an idiot.

Unfortunately, Spike wasn’t so lucky.

She heard a hollow thunk and then a clatter. Surprised, Buffy turned around, slowing down somewhat. Spike, it seemed, had tried to jump over a bin, but nicked his foot on the edge, sending him sprawling on the asphalt.

“Bloody soddin’ fuck!” Spike cursed as he picked himself up, wincing as he dusted off his scraped knee.

Buffy’s eyes widened and then laughter burst out of her mouth. Unable to stop herself, the giggles continued as Spike glowered.

“Shut up,” he grumbled, bending his injured knee.

“I-I’m sorry,” she gasped, still laughing.

“Well it won’t be so funny when I beat you, will it?” Spike gritted out.

Instantly, Buffy sobered. She’d almost forgotten about the race! “See ya,” she called out and then ran.

Spike let out a growl of frustration and followed, trying vainly to catch up with her. He’d just touched the blacktop when Buffy ran into the garage, slapping it with her palm.

“I win!” She shouted, exuberant. To Spike’s amazement, Buffy started to do some kind of dance complete with sticking her tongue out at him.

“Bloody hell,” he said, flopping down on the grass, closing his eyes. He felt Buffy settle down next to him.

“Okay, Spikey, time to spill,” she said gleefully.

“Hey!” He protested. “I bloody tripped!”

“So?” Buffy asked with a look. “It was your fault.”

“You and I both know I would have beaten you if I hadn’t tripped,” Spike told her matter-a-factly.

Buffy scoffed as she sat up. “Yeah right, I was winning. Now, ‘fess up, what did Xander make you do?”

“Now wait one moment. It’s only fair that you tell your story too, since we’ll never know who actually won,” Spike countered, raising his scarred brow.

Buffy was too curious to turn it down. “Fine,” she reluctantly agreed, “but you also have to tell me how you got that scar on your eyebrow.” She ghosted a finger over said scar.

Spike leaned back slightly, avoiding her touch. “Deal. But you go first.”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed, but she did comply. “My drunk story…” she began, musing. “Okay, the one that really stands out happened, like, two years ago. It was probably the first time I’d ever actually drank, and to say I was lightweight would have been pushing it.”

Spike snorted a little at the imagery, but a look from Buffy silenced him.

“Anyway,” she continued, “my friends and I were at this rich guy’s house. His dad had this whole bar thing set up in the basement. It was really cool, very professional looking. I think they had a lot of parties at his house.

“So, we get there and my friend Katie hands me a drink. I didn’t think much of it so I gulped it down. Of course, it was spiked and I promptly spent the next five minutes coughing like crazy. Then, the guy I had a major crush on, Tyler, came up to me and we started talking and he wanted to know if I’d play quarters. I agreed, and a half hour later, I was drunk. Katie, who was definitely not sober, suggested we do a little dancing, for fun.”

Buffy paused, looking a little embarrassed. “Unfortunately, I got the bright idea we should do some table dancing, and the next thing I knew, I was up on the bar with Katie, dancing my little heart out…topless.”

Laughter sputtered from Spike. “That is priceless, pet. First time drunk and you give the whole what-sophomore class?-a dance. Wish I had seen that.”

“No,” Buffy said firmly, her face tinged pink, “you don’t. It was completely mortifying. I spent the next two months trying to convince everyone I wasn’t a stripper by night.” She straightened and zeroed in on Spike. “Now, I’ve told my drunk story, let’s hear yours.”

Spike eyed her warily. “Whatever is said, never leaves this spot on the lawn, got it?”

Buffy nodded. “Same for me.”

Spike nodded in response and exhaled sharply. “Right. Well, just before summer, my girlfriend broke up with me for some git. Idiot that I was, I coped with massive amounts of Jack Daniels.

“During one of my…less sober evenings, Xander thought’d be amusing to see what I would and wouldn’t do while drunk. Like I said, turns out there isn’t much. There was the worm eating bit, the streaking bit and…the kissing bit.”

“Kissing?” Buffy interrupted, her voice dubious. “And how is that worse than worm eating and streaking?”

“If you’d shut your gob, I’d tell you,” Spike responded impatiently. Buffy just waved in a ‘take it away’ motion.

“So Xander convinces me to do another shot after the streaking, and then proposes that he’ll select one girl and I’d have to go up to her, without saying a single word, and kiss her. Easy enough, right? I thought Xand was off his rocker if he thought that was hard. So I agreed and he selected a brunette. I walked, or more like stumbled, right up to her, spun her around and kissed her full on the mouth.”

Buffy’s nose scrunched up. “So? Like that’s-“

“But,” Spike cut her off, his voice low and his gaze fixed on the grass. “It turns out she was a bit more of a he.”

For a moment Buffy just stared at Spike, her brain processing his words. Then, a grin overtook her face. “No!”

“Yeah,” Spike mumbled.

“No way!” Buffy was full out grinning. “You didn’t!”

“Yeah, I did,” he responded with a wince.

“You kissed a guy!” Buffy squealed with laughter.

“In my defense he had long hair!” Spike said defensively, but it did nothing to stop Buffy’s howling laughter.

Her face was flushed pink and her insides ached. “Oh my god!”

“Yeah, well, it fuckin’ happened,” Spike grumbled, kicking the grass, embarrassed as Buffy continued to roll around, laughing.

“Sorry,” she giggled. “I just have this picture of you and some…” she couldn’t finish her sentence.

“Come on, Summers, get over it,” Spike snapped as he flopped back down on the grass.

“Fine, fine,” she agreed, letting out one last giggle. “I’m done.”

“Thank you,” Spike said sarcastically as they lay back on the grass, side by side. They were silent for a moment before Buffy spoke.

“So, does this mean you’re bisexual?”

************

After showering and dressing in casual sweats and a tank top, Buffy waited by the front door with her dress, shoes and a bag filled with necessities.

Willow was picking her up in mere minutes and driving them, along with Fred, to Anya’s house.

“You leavin?” Buffy turned to see a freshly showered Spike walking down the stairs in jeans and a shirt, his feet bare.

“Yeah,” she answered. “Getting ready for the dance and all that.”

Spike made a face. “Girly.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “What guys don’t do stuff together before dances?”

“Unless you’re counting buying condoms…” Spike trailed off with a slight smirk, his eyes capturing hers.

Buffy found it difficult to tear her eyes from his, almost entranced by the blue. His smirking lips parted slightly, his tongue peeking out, licking his bottom lip.

Foretunately, Willow's horn beeping broke their locked gazes.

Buffy’s face flushed, and she awkwardly picked up her bags. “And to that, an extreme see you later.”

“See you at the dance, Summers!” Spike called after her, enjoying her flustered state. He couldn’t deny that making Buffy Summers squirm was absolutely delicious.

Buffy stomped down the walkway and climbed into Willow’s car.

“What was that?” Fred asked and Willow made a sound of agreement.

“Just Spike being an ass,” she grumbled and then brightened. “Come on, let’s go to Anya’s.”

“Will do,” Willow replied cheerfully.

Ten minutes later, Willow pulled her clunky Volvo into one of the longest driveways Buffy had ever seen.

“Whoa,” she breathed, taken back by the rows of neatly trimmed bushes leading up to a large Spanish style mansion complete with a fountain in the front.

“I knew Anya was rich, but…” Buffy trailed off in awe.

“Yep, her dad’s like the CEO of some major company. Something to do with computers,” Fred answered as Willow parked the car in the spacious garage.

The garage door flung open and Anya ran out dressed in a lace bra and matching silk shorts. “Yay! You’re here!” She turned to Buffy, “I need help curling my hair, pronto.”

”Okay,” Buffy responded, “let’s get started.”

********

“Ouch!” Buffy cried as Anya yanked the flat iron.

“Oh, stop being a baby,” Anya retorted with a dismissive wave.

“I wanted straight hair, not no hair,” Buffy grumbled, rubbing the sore spot.

Anya pushed her hand away. “Stop,” she commanded, “if you want your hair to look nice.”

Fred peered over Anya’s shoulder. “I think your hair looks great, Buffy.”

Buffy pouted at her reflection. “It’s too short.”

“Grow it out,” Willow suggested from the bedroom.

“It used to be long, and then my friend convinced me to cut it and dye it brown,” Buffy explained, touching a strand of her hair.

“Well that was stupid,” Anya said bluntly as she ran the flat iron over a chunk of hair.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Tell me about it.”

Fred stood next to Buffy and leaned in, examining her reflection. “Are you sure this lipstick isn’t too red?”

“No,” both Anya and Buffy said in unison.

Twin wrinkles appeared on Fred’s brow. “Really?”

Willow popped her head in. “Yes, you look awesome.” She glanced into the mirror and nervously fiddled with her much shorter hair. It had taken much persuasion from Buffy, Anya and Fred, but finally Willow had submitted to getting her haircut. The shorter look was styled, the ends flaring out slightly at base of her neck.

Buffy noticed Willow’s nervousness. “Oz’ll love it, trust me,” she said, meeting the redhead’s eyes through the mirror.

She nibbled on her lip. “Right, of course.”

“You look hot,” Anya added helpfully and then stepped back to admire her work. “Okay, you’re all done.”

Buffy turned her head this way and that, watching as her hair shimmered. Anya had straightened it to pin-straight perfection and pulled two pieces back from her temple, keeping the hair off her face. She smiled. “I like it, thanks.”

Fred shot a glance at the clock. “We should probably get going, everybody ready?” Her gaze flittered to Anya who was still in her bra and shorts. “Except for Anya,” Fred added.

“Yep,” Buffy confirmed, smoothing her hand over the front of her dress, and slipped on her ankle breakers.

Willow grabbed her tiny purse and shawl. “Ready!”

Anya rolled her eyes. “It’s not like I didn’t spend the whole time getting you guys ready.” She walked over to her massive walk-in closet and took a garment bag off a hanger.

After unzipping the bag slowly, Anya pulled out the dress in a dramatic fashion. “Tada!” The bright crimson dress swished in the air, and Anya eagerly pulled off her bra and shorts, slipping the gown over her head sans underwear.

The dress clung to Anya’s figure with a slit up the side and a plunging neckline. Paired with her matching red heels, she looked stunning.

“Wow,” Buffy said. “It’s gorgeous.”

“Um,” Willow began, her mouth dropped slightly. “Isn’t it a little much for a high school dance?”

Anya shrugged. “Who cares? I’m gonna knock Xander Harris’s socks off.”

Fred blinked. “No kiddin’.”

Anya snatched her red satin purse and opened her bedroom door. “Are we going, or not?”

“My car?” Willow suggested as they walked down the large marble stairs.

“Are you serious?” Anya asked. At Willow’s confusion, she rolled her eyes. “No, we’re using the limo.”

Buffy blinked, her head tilted. “Did she just say ‘limo’?”

*********

The inside of Sunnydale High’s gym had been transformed for the ultimate Halloween dance party. The dance committee had decided to go with a Dracula theme and made the walls look like castle walls. The ceiling was littered with cobwebs with fuzzy spiders and bats dangled in corners.

A few cardboard coffins were leaned against the walls, and a wooden one, Buffy hoped it wasn’t real, was the food and drink table.

They had substituted florescent lighting for black and orange lights, giving the place a creepy glow. The Dingoes Ate My Baby had been hired as the band for the dance and was up on stage playing their famous “Pain.”

“Oz wrote this for me,” Willow said, more like yelled, in Buffy’s ear.

“Really? That’s sweet!” Buffy yelled back in Willow’s ear as they head-bopped along to the music and surveyed the crowd.

Anya and Xander were already missing. Xander had taken one look at his not-girlfriend, gulped, and led a happy Anya off to a dark corner.

Fred and Wesley were hanging out by the punch and Cheetos, heads inclined, discussing something. Probably about the latest Physics problem, Buffy surmised.

Gunn and Gwen had stopped by briefly to say hi. While Gunn had been openly friendly to Buffy, Gwen’s tight smile definitely implied that she didn’t like the blonde. What Buffy couldn’t figure out was why.

“Hey,” Buffy said, surprised the thought hadn’t occurred to her before. “Where’s Tara?”

Was it her imagination or did Willow stiffen at the mention of one of her best friends? “She’s not feeling well,” Willow answered, and quickly added, “Look, Spike’s here.”

Buffy’s eyes followed Willow’s to see Spike had, in fact, arrived. He was dressed in a pair of black pants and a blue button-down. His hair was slicked back and she could see he was still wearing his thick jewelry, and she was pretty sure those were his combat boots, but Spike definitely looked…different.

“Cleans up nicely,” Willow commented, nearly echoing Buffy’s thoughts.

She shrugged. “I guess.”

Willow gave Buffy a strange look.

“What?” She said defensively.

“Nothing! It’s just that…well…you and Spike,” Willow stuttered.

“What about me and Spike?” Buffy replied carefully, her eyes not quite meeting the redhead.

“I don’t know…” Willow hesitated, looking very anxious. “Do you like him?”

Buffy’s heart skipped a beat. “Of course not,” she answered quickly and let out a strained laugh. “I can’t believe…what made you think that?”

Willow’s face was void of all nervousness now. In a calm voice she simply said, “I think he likes you.”

Another bubble of anxious laugher rose up in her. “What? Where would you…how…” Buffy shook her head. “No, a world of no.”

Willow nodded slowly. “Okay.”

Feeling the redhead was unconvinced, Buffy pushed. “I’m serious. There is nothing.”

Willow tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “Totally hearing you, Buffy. 100% friends only.”

“And not even that,” Buffy countered. “It’s just…”

“You and Spike,” Willow finished.

“In a non-romantic sense,” Buffy added.

“Of course.”

There was a pregnant pause. “Wanna get a drink?” Willow suggested.

Sighing with relief, Buffy nodded. “Lead the way.”

********

An hour later, the others joined Buffy and Willow. Buffy had managed to semi-push the whole conversation with Willow out of her mind and enjoy her evening, which was going really well despite the whole no-date thing.

Currently, Fred was telling a story about driving a tractor when she was five back in Texas where she grew up on a ranch.

“Wait, so your parents just let you?” Xander repeated, stunned. He couldn’t get his own parents to sign him up for Driver’s Ed, let alone actual driving.

Fred snorted. “It’s not like I gave them much of a choice.”

Wesley smiled at his girlfriend, intertwining his hand through hers. Buffy couldn’t help but beam at the cute couple.

And speaking of cute couples, Willow and Oz were snuggling next to her, talking about a new computer device. Sweet, Buffy thought, but kinda scary.

Buffy took a gulp of her punch, fanning herself. The gym was stifling with all the people packed together, especially out on the dance floor. She and Anya had danced together a couple of times, but Buffy couldn’t help but be slightly disappointed by the lack of cute guys.

A tap on her shoulder startled Buffy, and she craned her head to see Spike standing behind her.

“Dance?”

Buffy automatically glanced at her friends, but they were all preoccupied by their significant others.

“Uh…I guess,” Buffy accepted hesitantly and stood up. For a second they stood awkwardly before walking out to the dance floor.

Awkward moment number two, Buffy thought as they slowly hedged closer. She rested her hands on his shoulders and Spike’s hands settled on her waist. They probably looked like fourth graders being forced to dance.

Moving a little closer to not look like an idiot, Buffy tilted her head up so their eyes met.

“Having a nice time, Summers?” Spike asked courteously.

“Yeah, I am,” Buffy responded with a genuine smile. “You?”

Spike shrugged. “I’ve been worse.”

Buffy nodded and for a couple of minutes they swayed in silence. Spike, Buffy was noticing, was a nice dancer. He moved well and didn’t do that clumsy shuffle most guys did. He also smelled really good.

“Where’s your date?” Spike asked, interrupting the silence.

Buffy turned her head away, looking at the other dancers. “I don’t have one. Where’s yours?” Anya had mentioned Spike had gotten a last minute date.

Spike cleared his throat. “She’s, uh, in the bathroom.”

“Harmony?” Buffy couldn’t keep the surprise and disdain out of her voice.

Spike exhaled loudly. “God no. She’s a friend of mine. It’s not really a date, exactly. Besides, Dawn’s fourteen.”

“Fourteen?” Buffy echoed, scrunching her nose.

“Like I said, Summers, she’s a friend of mine, family friend really. The girl couldn’t go to her Homecoming Dance so I thought it’d be nice to take her here.”

“I didn’t know. That’s nice of you, I’m sure she appreciates it,” Buffy finally said.

They lapsed back into their silence for another moment.

“You going to Willow’s afterwards?” Buffy asked.

“Yeah, I’m gonna drop Dawn off at her house then I’ll be there.” A smirk spread across Spike’s face. “You gonna do a nice repeat of that dance?”

Buffy’s mouth fell open, and she slugged him in the arm. “Pig,” she said half-heartedly.

“And you love it,” Spike responded cheerfully as the song came to an end. “Well, I’m off to find Dawn. See you later, yeah?”

Buffy nodded. “Yep.” She turned to walk back to her table, when it occurred to her. “Hey Spike!”

He turned, looking puzzled. “Yeah?”

“You still owe me a story,” she said with a smirk of her own.

Rolling his eyes, Spike called back, “Hold your horses, Summers. The night isn’t over yet.”
Trick or Treat Part II by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the reviews, and thanks to my beta for her amazingness.

Hope you enjoy! (NOTE: READ THE A/N AT THE BOTTOM)
Chapter 23: Trick or Treat Part II



“What was that?” Anya demanded as Buffy returned to her seat.

“What was what?” Buffy asked, playing dumb.

“You were dancing with the Bleached Wonder!” Xander answered for Anya. His wild gestures would have been funny except for the fact that everyone’s eyes were on her. Even Oz looked interested, well as much as Oz could look interested.

Buffy shrugged. “We were just dancing.”

“Um, don’t you hate Spike?” Willow spoke up. “I think we’ve had a couple conversations about Spike being a pain in the ass.”

“He is,” Buffy affirmed, “but I don’t hate him.” At everyone’s looks, she added, “Well, not all the time.”

Fred giggled a little. “I think you guys looked cute.”

Buffy’s nose scrunched. “That’s just pushing it.” She leaned down to grab her purse, and stood up. “Okay, I’ve gotta use the bathroom,” she announced and walked off, trying not to trip in shoes.

Without thinking, Buffy pushed open the bathroom door, startling a coltish brunette who jumped back. “Whoa!”

“Sorry,” Buffy immediately apologized.

“It’s okay,” the girl replied, looking relieved. “You just freaked me out.” She brushed her dark hair off her shoulders and smiled a little.

Buffy smiled back, still feeling bad for scaring her. The girl looked younger, Buffy noticed, even though she was taller than her.

“I’m Dawn,” the girl said, aware of Buffy’s staring. “I don’t go here, if that’s what you were wondering.”

“I’m Buffy,” she replied.

“Oh!” Dawn said, realizing who the blonde was. “You’re Joyce’s daughter.”

“Yep, and you are Spike’s date for tonight,” Buffy responded. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Dawn let out a nervous laugh. “I’m not really his date. My mom and Giles have been friends for a long time. Actually, you might know her, Mrs. Calendar?”

Buffy’s jaw dropped. “She’s your mom?”

Dawn nodded. “Yeah. I’m just glad I go to a private school. It would suck mucho if I had my mom as my teacher.”

Buffy chuckled. “Yeah, it would. Hey, just so you know, Spike’s looking for you,” she remembered.

“Oh, thanks,” Dawn said. “I was gonna go find him now. It was nice meeting you. I’ll see ya around.”

“You too,” Buffy called out as Dawn exited the bathroom.

Buffy quickly used the bathroom and washed her hands. She was checking her make-up and hair in the mirror when door opened revealing Cordelia and Harmony in their full-on skankiness.

“Hi,” Buffy said with a false smile. “Do you need something?”

Cordelia stood there in a dangerously low-cut black silk dress, her arms crossed with Harmony behind her same dress from April Fools. “Don’t think I’m not on to you.”

“O-kay,” Buffy said slowly turning around to face them. “And what exactly does that mean?”

Harmony scoffed. “Please, like you’re not totally stealing Blondie Bear from me.”

Buffy couldn’t help but laugh. “I’m stealing Spike from you? First off, Spike broke up with you. Get it? You’re not together anymore. Second, I don’t like Spike.” She shook her head in wonder. “What is with everyone?” She asked out loud. “When did I ever say I liked him?”

Cordelia lips curled cruelly. “Just know, I’m fully prepared to out you as the slutty whore you are.”

“Yeah!” Was Harmony’s brilliant input

This was getting ridiculous. “Really?” Buffy questioned, her eyebrows raised in amusement.

Cordelia leaned closer. “Figures you don’t remember,” she hissed. “Last year at UCLA’s Halloween party,” she paused as Buffy’s eyes widened in recognition.

“Yeah.” Cordelia smirked. “I was there, and I saw you and your even sluttier cousin. You make a great stripper by the way, have you ever thought of that as a career option?” She asked, her voice dripping with mockery. “Just remember… one word and everyone knows the truth.”

Buffy’s jaw clenched with fury. How could this be happening? She’d had her fill of petty, vindictive bitches, and now this one could ruin her new life here.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Buffy told her.

Harmony laughed. “What are you gonna do about it, Slutty?”

Cordelia brushed an imagery piece of lint from Buffy’s dress. “So,” she said casually, “think about what I said, okay Muffy?” Cordelia spun on her heel and walked out. Harmony followed, but not without giving Buffy one last sneer.

For a moment Buffy just stood there fuming. She shook her head, trying clear her thoughts. Stop, she told herself, just go out and have fun.

She walked out of the bathroom where she nearly ran into her friends. “Hey,” she greeted them, smiling. “What’s up?”

“We’re gonna head to my house now, ready?” Willow asked, her arm looped through Oz’s.

Buffy quickly glanced over at the dance floor where Harmony and Cordelia were huddled, then her gaze flickered over to Spike and Dawn dancing.

A swift pang of…something shot through her. “Yeah, I’m ready.”

Anya grinned at her. “Goody! Time for the after party where there will be many delicious fruity drinks.”

Buffy let out a weak laugh. “A drink sounds good right about now.”

“Okay then,” Xander announced, rubbing his hands together. “Onwards to the limo!”

*************

An hour later, Buffy gulped down her third Cosmopolitan, and hummed in pleasure as the sweet liquid slid down her throat.

“Another Cosmo, bartender!” She shouted over the music to Xander.

He gave her a wary look, but complied. “Just don’t overdo it, Buff.”

Buffy made a ‘pshaw’ noise. “I’m no lightweight.” With a new drink in hand she wandered over to the couch, plopping down between Willow and Oz.

“Okay spill, Wills,” Buffy began in a serious tone, “how did you get your parents to let you have a party while they’re in LA?”

Willow fidgeted a little. “Um, they don’t exactly know I’m having a party right now,” she confessed.

Buffy stared at her friend in shock. “Willow Rosenberg!” Then her shock morphed into a grin. “Good girl.”

Willow laughed. “Buffy, are you okay?”

“I think she’s a little drunk,” Oz commented.

Buffy ignored both the question and comment. “I’m gonna go find Fred,” she declared and slightly wobbled her way down the hall.

She passed Willow’s room, then her parents’ bedroom looking for the thin brunette. “Fred?” She called out, wondering if she’d missed her.

Buffy then heard a muffled noise and then a squeak. Frowning, she turned to the closed guestroom. “Fred?” She put her ear up against the door, listening carefully.

After a few moments, Buffy concluded she was hearing things and turned back around to the kitchen. She walked in to witness Xander and Anya playing tonsil hockey, much to her disgust. “Ack! Stop it!”

Xander pulled away with reluctance. “Did you find Fred?” He asked the blonde as she plopped down on a stool.

“No,” she replied with a pout. Her fingers danced over the rim of her glass. “You know, I’ve always wondered what’s in a Cosmo. I mean, I’ve had one before, but I never really think about what goes in it. I just think ‘yummy’. O-or what’s in a Martini? And why is there an olive?” Buffy looked up to see the couple had resumed making out.

“Never mind,” she muttered. Reaching over the bar, Buffy poured vodka into her glass. “There,” she said with nod of her head. “All better.”

Standing up, Buffy gulped the vodka, choking as it burned down her throat. “Whoa, that was definitely not a Cosmo!” she yelled to nobody in particular.

Buffy wandered back into the living room only to see Willow and Oz were now engrossed in each other as well. She let out a little sigh. “Well, more for me then,” she said to herself and took another gulp.

“Red? You here?”

That voice, Buffy thought. She walked over the foyer and saw that Spike had arrived. He was putting his jacket on the coat hanger still calling for Willow.

“Oh.” He stopped calling at the sight of Buffy. “It’s you.”

“Yep, it’s me. Buffy Summers,” she confirmed, taking another sip of drink.

“Where’s Red?” Spike asked, heading into the kitchen.

“They’re all busy making out,” Buffy told him, and then frowned. “Well, except for Fred, I can’t find her,” she paused, “or Wesley either.”

Spike raised his eyebrow at her. “They’re probably off together,” he said slowly as if she was stupid.

“Duh,” Buffy replied, trying to cover up that it hadn’t occurred to her.

Spike poured himself a shot of Jack Daniels and knocked it back. Buffy watched his throat muscles move as he swallowed. She noticed that a drop of liquor was hanging on his lip, almost calling out to her.

Buffy shook her head, trying to clear it. No, she told herself, that’s not what it’s doing. “I’m bored,” she announced. The house was quieter than she remembered; someone must have turned the music down.

Spike looked around, seeing Oz and Willow on the couch, obviously busy. “Let’s play a game,” he suggested and then added, “in a different room.”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed and she looked at Spike for one long moment before shrugging. “Okay, but I’m not taking my clothes off,” she warned.

Spike snorted. “Like I want to see your skinny self.” He grabbed a bottle of liquor and led the way to Willow’s guest room.

“Um, I don’t think that’s-“

Spike quickly slammed the door shut. “Bloody hell!” He cursed.

“-a good idea,” Buffy finished.

Spike glared at her. “Thank you, Summers.” His voice oozed sarcasm.

Buffy waved her hand at him. “Lead the way, Spikey.”

Spike walked down the hallway, pausing at the basement door. “We could go downstairs.”

Buffy shook her head negative. “Blech. There’re bugs down there. Nuh-uh,” she told him, “no way.”

“Fine,” Spike agreed, and turned to a set of doors. “Office it is.” He opened the glass doors and ushered Buffy in.

She attempted to sit in the swivel chair but missed, falling flat on her butt. “Oof!”

“Come on, Summers,” Spike said impatiently. His eyes burned into hers accusingly. “Are you drunk?”

“No!” Buffy snapped in a petulant voice. “I’m just a little tipsy.”

Spike didn’t believe her, but instead he just pulled out the bottle he’d taken and a deck of cards. “So Summers, how’s your poker face?”

*********

“Fuckin-A, Summers. You’re not supposed to grin like an idiot when you have a good hand!” Spike exploded.

Buffy just giggled harder, dropping her hand. “I-I’m sorry! It’s-“ She gasped for breath, trying to calm her laughter.

“How many shots have you had now, pet?” Spike asked in a gentler voice.

“Only two,” Buffy said defensively. “Plus two more and the Cosmos were yummy.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Good god. Alright, you’re officially cut off.”

Buffy tilted her head in confusion. “Did it hurt?”

Spike exhaled loudly. “Oh boy,” he muttered, tugging the bottle from her hand.

Buffy stubbornly pulled back. “No! Spikey let go!”

Spike pulled back. “No, Buffy, let go. Come on, be a luv, and just…let go,” he said soothingly and then shook his head at himself. “Good, I sound like a pansy.”

“Pansy!” Buffy sputtered in laughter, rolling on the ground. “You’re a pansy!”

“Okay, Summers, up you go,” Spike said, pushing himself up off the ground, extending a hand to Buffy.

She ignored his hand or maybe didn’t notice it, Spike wasn’t sure, and continued laughing manically.

“This is the fuckin’ last time I’m playing any sort of drinking game with you,” he muttered, leaning down to pull the tiny blonde up.

Buffy, however, had other plans. She grasped his hand, and yanked hard.

Spike tumbled on top off her. “Bloody soddin’ hell,” he groaned, trying to prop himself up.

Buffy half-heartedly tried to heave Spike off her. “You should get offa me,” she slurred, pushing at his chest.

“Well it was your brilliant idea to pull me, you stupid chit!” Spike retorted.

Buffy scowled. “I’m not a chit, I’m a woman. And you fell on me!”

Spike stared down at Buffy, his eyes meeting her slightly unfocused green ones. Instantly, he was struck by the sweet pink of her lips, the heat of her skin. “Buffy,” he murmured, swiping a few stray strands of golden hair from her face.

“Spike,” she echoed, her eyes drifting to his lips. They were nice lips, she thought distractedly, soft, nice lips. “You should kiss me,” she half-whispered.

Spike needed no prompting. His lips descended on hers softly, searchingly. When she didn’t pull away, he deepened the kiss, tracing her luscious lips with his tongue.

Buffy parted her lips, eagerly anticipating the heat of Spike’s mouth. Their tongues danced, and she curled an arm around his neck, pulling him closer.

This is what she wanted. This is what she needed, right here, right now. She succumbed to the pleasure of Spike’s mouth, mewling slightly.

Spike nearly came undone at the sounds coming from Buffy. She was so hot, her mouth scorching him with delectable wet heat and purely Buffy taste mixed with the slight bitter taste of alcohol.

Oh right, his mind faintly remembered, drinking, lots of drinking. A very drunk Buffy.

With every ounce of power in him, Spike grudgingly pulled his mouth from Buffy’s and sat up. Fuck, fuck, fuck. He couldn’t go any further with her, not while she was drunk like no other.

Gradually, Buffy realized Spike had stopped kissing her. His oh so pleasant lips and tongue were gone. “Hmm,” she mumbled. “Spike? Why’d ya stop? Don’t stop.”

“Because, Summers,” Spike began, unable to resist touch her hair. “You’re drunk.”

Buffy struggled to sit up. “So?” She asked sluggishly.

“I’m not taking bloody advantage of you, it’s not right,” Spike explained edgily.

A frown settled on Buffy’s face. “I want you take advantage of me,” she insisted, her words slurred.

Spike shut his eyes, sucking in a breath. “No, you don’t. I don’t.” He stood up, and put his combat boots back on, and grabbed the reminder of the bottle and the cards. “Night, pet.”

Buffy watched with her mouth open as Spike walked out of the room. What? She thought, incredibly confused. Everything was great and then all the sudden he leaves?

“Dammit,” she grumbled, flopping back on the carpet. Within seconds, she was snoring away, sleeping the sleep of the very drunk.




A/N: 1. the line with where buffy says 'did it hurt?' comes from the actual line in Beer Bad, Season 4, when Xander tells her she's cut off.

2. Since school is starting very, very soon :( My updates will probably be once a week. In a couple of weeks, I'll have a better idea of which day.

Thanks,
Ria
Crash by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the reviews and thanks to my beta-you're amazing!

Once again, updates are fewer and farther between, but I'll try my best.
Chapter 24: Crash



Pounding.

Buffy stirred, moaning softly as the pain in her head intensified. Her head felt like a million elephants were trampling through it, her mouth was dry, her tongue thick. Everything ached.

“God,” she mumbled, trying to sit up. The room spun and her stomach churned violently. Buffy closed her eyes, taking deep breaths.

“Oh god,” she muttered, ever so slowly shifting her feet over the edge of the bed. Buffy frowned. Wait, a bed?

Finally, she cracked her eyes open, wincing at as the sun pierced her eyes. Her eyes adjusted, and she realized she’d been sleeping on a couch, not a bed.

“Hey, Buffy.” Fred’s voice was thankfully soft.

“Hi,” Buffy croaked, shutting her eyes again. “What time is it?”

“Umm…just past noon,” Fred answered, walking over to the blonde. She sat down on the other end of the couch. “How are you feeling?”

“Mmm…like someone ran me over with a Mack truck,” Buffy replied with a groan.

Fred made a sympathetic noise. “That would be all the alcohol you consumed. Spike said you were pretty trashed.”

“Spike?” Buffy mumbled. Her memories were foggy, but she was pretty certain Spike hadn’t been there…right?

“Yeah,” Fred said hesitantly. “You do remember playing cards with him, don’t you?”

Cards. The word stirred Buffy’s mind. Oh yeah, it was coming back to her. They’d played cards and loser took a shot. Apparently, she wasn’t all that good at poker. Plus she’d already consumed a couple Cosmos.

“Cards. Yeah, I remember that.” Buffy pressed her palm against her forehead as she propped herself up on her elbows. “And then we…” She trailed off as the rest of the evening came back to her in horrifying detail.

“Oh my god,” she breathed and let out a groan. “Oh god.”

Fred looked bewildered. “Do you feel sick?”

Buffy ignored the question, her stomach sloshing dangerously. “Oh no.”

Worried, Fred leaned forward, pressing the back of her hand against Buffy’s head. “Buffy, you look kinda flushed.”

“Oh god. I…we…” She couldn’t say it. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, her mind repeated. She could distinctly remember Spike on top of her. And there was kissing. Lots of kissing. With tongue.

“Buffy, you’re awake!” Willow’s voice was far too chipper and Buffy moaned, covering her ears.

“Oh right, sorry,” Willow whispered. “Do you want some Advil?”

Buffy reclined, closing her eyes. She nodded her head slowly. “Please, and some water.”

As Willow walked out, Anya entered, wearing an oversized T-shirt, her hair rumpled from sleep.

“Spike said you got totally trashed,” she announced loudly. “How do you feel?”

Buffy just groaned, burying her head under the blanket.

“Anya,” Fred hissed. “She has a hangover!”

“Oh,” Anya said understandingly. “Well lucky for you, on my thirteenth birthday, my mother imparted her only advice to me and that was the best hangover cure.”

Fred glanced up at Anya skeptically. “Your mother gave you drinking advice?”

Ignoring the question, Anya turned to face Fred. “Okay, I need you to mix in a blender: a banana, a can of V-8, 6 strawberries, 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 cup of orange juice, 2 cups of milk and ¼ teaspoon of salt.”

“Um,” Fred began, frowning. “Does Willow have all that?”

Anya shrugged. “There should be some left over from the last party.”

Fred cast one more look at Buffy, and then headed into the kitchen. As soon as she was out of sight, Anya kneeled down in front of Buffy, shaking her arm. “Okay, what the hell happened last night?”

Wincing, Buffy opened her eyes a sliver. “Drinking. Lots and lots of drinking.”

Anya rolled her eyes. “I know that. But Spike was clearly sexually frustrated. I mean, from the clenched fists, the tight jaw and the noticeable bulge-“

“Anya!” Buffy half-shouted despite her headache. “Please don’t say another word about Spike’s…thing.”

For once, Anya went silent. She regarded Buffy for a moment and then stood up. “Okay, next on the hangover cure: go take a shower.”

Buffy stupidly laid there, her eyes squinted. “I have to move?”

Anya crossed her arms. “Go!” Her voice was considerably louder the second time.

Buffy let out another groan and rolled of the couch. “I’m going, I’m going,” she muttered, dragging herself up to Willow’s bathroom. “Slave driver,” she added under her breath.

Buffy turned the water on hot and stumbled in. As the water ran over her, the pounding in her head started to lessen. Thank god, she thought, borrowing Willow’s shampoo, rubbing her hair gently.

After fifteen minutes under the hot spray, Buffy stepped out and dried off. She pulled her hair back in a sloppy ponytail, wrapped the towel around her firmly and peeked around the door.

Someone had thoughtfully left a pair of sweats, a sweatshirt and a T-shirt that said ‘Save the Whales!’ in big letters. Buffy quickly changed into them and picked up her crumpled dress and dirty underwear.

She staggered back down the stairs where Anya stood with a strange looking smoothing thing in her hand. “Drink this.”

Buffy cautiously took the cup from her hand and sipped it. Her face scrunched up. “Blech.”

“You have to drink it all,” Anya told her.

Buffy’s brow wrinkled, but she complied, gulping the smoothie-thing down as fast as she could.

“Now,” Anya commanded, taking the empty glass, “go into the car.”

“Car?” Buffy whined.

“Yes,” Anya affirmed. “We’re gonna go for a big greasy breakfast.”

The thought of food made Buffy’s stomach churn. “I don’t think that’s a very good idea,” she said slowly as pervious hangovers came back to her. “Hungover Buffy plus food equals very bad.”

“You need to eat some greasy food, it’ll soak up all the disgusting alcohol in you,” Anya said cheerfully, pulling Buffy with her.

Her stomach sloshed again. “Oh joy.”

************

After much cajoling and persuading, Anya managed to get Buffy to order sausage and eggs with toast. So far, Buffy had nibbled on the toast.

Fred was happily enjoying her Big Stack and munching on sausages while Willow ate her eggs.

Anya had opted for a fruit salad and was slurping down chocolate milk. “Okay, explain again why Spike was all grouchy.”

Buffy rolled her eyes, sipping her water. “I don’t remember.” Liar, Buffy told herself.

Fred paused, her fork suspended in air. “Anya’s right. Spike did look a little…tense.”

Closing her eyes, Buffy count to five before responding. “I’m not sure.” Okay, that was true, Buffy thought. She was pretty much down for the count after the whole kissing thing.

Another involuntary groan escaped. Cordelia and Harmony were right, she was a slut. A major slut. She put the whore in hormone. She was the pushy queen of slut town.

Any appetite she’d had disappeared, and Buffy set down her toast mid-bite.

But who was he to kiss her while she was drunk? Buffy mentally argued. That was practically taking advantage! Although, Buffy was pretty sure she’d said something along the lines of ‘take me.’

“Buffy?”

The blonde glanced up, meeting Willow’s anxious hazel eyes. “Huh?”

“Are you okay? You look kinda sick again,” Willow commented carefully.

Managing a wan smile, Buffy nodded. “Fine. It’s just…I should probably be heading home soon.” She then remembered her cell phone. “Shit.”

She quickly pulled the phone out and turned it on. The screen declared she had three new messages.

With a little help from Fred, Buffy dialed her voicemail and pressed the phone against her ear, listening to the messages.

All three were from her mother.

Buffy dialed her home phone, praying her mom was there. Thankfully, she picked up on the second ring.

“Um, mom? It’s me, Buffy,” she said awkwardly.

“Oh Buffy! I’m so glad you called. Are you still at Willow’s?” Joyce asked, her voice clearly expressing her concern.

“Uh, no, we’re just getting some lunch, and then I’ll be home,” Buffy responded. She looked up at Willow who nodded.

“Well, good. Did you have a nice time?” Joyce questioned sounding a little more relaxed.

“Yeah, it was fun. My first Sunnydale High dance,” Buffy answered lightly. “I’ll see you soon, bye.”

As soon as her mother said good-bye, Buffy hung up and snapped the phone shut, tucking it back into her purse.

“What’d your mom say?” Anya asked, motioning to the purse.

“I gotta get home soon,” Buffy replied making a slight face.

“Yep, me too,” Fred added. “I’m working tonight.”

“Oh!” Anya nearly shouted, making Buffy wince. “I almost forgot! Buffy, can you start Monday after school?”

“Start?” Willow echoed with a frown.

“You mean working?” Buffy wondered.

“Yeah, Jeff’s super excited to have another cashier. He says I scare away the costumers,” Anya muttered with a glower. “Please, I have finesse.”

Buffy nodded. “Sure, can you give me a ride though?”

Anya shook her head, looking apologetic. “No, it’s Xander’s choice.”

Buffy gave her friend a wary glance. “I won’t even ask.” She paused, biting her lip. “Willow?”

The redhead declined too. “Mathalete meeting,” she said by way of explanation.

“Just ask Spike,” Fred suggested pleasantly. “I’m sure he’ll give you one.”

Buffy felt her heart sink. “Oh…right,” she lied.

Fuck.

***********

Buffy tiptoed into the house, trying not to alert Giles or her mom. She’d already called to say she’d be there soon, but the whole ‘how was your evening?’ thing part two didn’t really appeal to her pounding head.

Stealthily, Buffy walked up the stairs and into her room. She dropped her dress and make-up in a heap on the floor and curled up in bed.

The covers felt cool against her skin and the sweatshirt Willow had given her kept her cozily warm.

Her eyes had closed when a slight knock jolted Buffy out of her half-sleep.

“Come in,” she called out, hoping her voice wasn’t too hoarse.

Joyce poked her head in. “Hi. When did you come in?”

“Just a minute ago,” Buffy answered, pulling the covers up to her chin.

“So…you had a good time?” Joyce hinted, a hopeful look on her face.

“Yeah, I did,” Buffy reaffirmed.

Joyce smiled briefly and then straightened. “Well,” she began, “I’ll let you get back to sleep.”

“Thanks,” Buffy responded with a faint smile.

Joyce shut the door softly as Buffy closed her eyes again, finally drifting off to sleep.
Confused and Bemused by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the reviews! And, of course, thanks to my beta who has been the awesomest beta ever. The next couple weeks are gonna be iffy with updates since I have school, practice and my job...hopefull it'll settle down after those first couple of weeks.
Chapter 25: Confused and Bemused



Stirring, Buffy shifted positions, her hand curled under her head. Her eyes flickered open, and she yawned loudly.

“Mornin’ Sleeping Beauty.”

At that, Buffy jerked awake, sitting straight up. “Spike.”

He was leaning against her doorway looking annoyingly sexy. No, Buffy thought, not now.

“What do you want?” She said cagily, brushing her hair off her face. Her eyes roved over her floor and spotted her bunched up fancy thong on the floor. Heat flooded her cheeks, and she quickly looked away.

Thankfully, Spike didn’t seem to have noticed.

“We need to talk,” he stated, taking a step into her room.

“About what?” Buffy asked with a nervous laugh.

“Last night, pet,” Spike responded looking more serious than she’d ever seen him look. Other than when he was pissed at her.

“Oh?” Buffy managed. “You mean how you left me passed out on the floor?” She accused.

Spike bizarrely didn’t say anything, just walked into her room. His fingers grazed her bedspread, resting on her sketchbook. Panic seized her heart, and she launched forward, yanking the leather-bound notebook to her chest.

His eyebrows shot up at her violent reaction. “Interesting,” he drawled. “What is it? Your diary?” He titled his head and began speaking in a high-pitched voice. “Dear Diary, last night I totally made-out with Spike. He’s soooo hot-“

Buffy’s hand flew up to cover his mouth. “Shut up!” She hissed, casting a glance at the open door.

A smirk flashed across Spike’s face. “Relax, Goldilocks, they went out to pick up food.” He eased her hand off his mouth and at the same time, snatched the sketchbook out of her hands.

“Hey!” Buffy protested, leaning forward. “Give it back.”

Spike waggled a finger at her. “Not a bloody chance.” He unclipped the buckle holding the book together and opened it slowly.

“Please, Spike. Give it back,” Buffy demanded, but this time her voice was more of a beg as she vainly tried to grab her sketchbook.

Spike held it up high. “Kiss me then,” he breathed, his lips curled deviously.

Buffy’s jaw clenched. This was the reaction she’d anticipated the first time they had their accidental lip-lockage. Asshole with a side of egomaniacal.

“For god’s sakes, Spike, it’s just a sketchbook, now please give it back to me before I get really angry,” she gritted out.

Abruptly, he shoved the sketchbook in her hands. “Now that I’ve got your attention…” he paused for effect, “what the hell was last night?”

Cursing herself for falling for his trick, Buffy shook her head. “God...”

“What was it, Summers?” Spike pressed, crossing his arms.

“An accident,” Buffy retorted as she sat Indian style. “I was extremely drunk and you were just…there.”

“Second time, Goldilocks,” Spike reminded her as he reclined against her bedpost.

Buffy scoffed, rolling her eyes upward. “Come on, Spike. I was drunk, ergo bad kissing decisions. It doesn’t mean anything.”

Spike stared at her hard. “Nothing?”

“Nothing,” Buffy confirmed with a nod. “Now if you don’t mind, I’d kinda like to change without an audience.”

Spike, ignored her request. “So…” he began, stepping forward. “This is nothing?” He punctuated his question with a deep, slow kiss.

For a brief millisecond, Buffy caved to the sweet pressure of his lips on hers. It felt good. Hell, it felt really good. And she didn’t even need to get drunk. But they couldn’t do this for a million different reasons.

Wrenching her lips away, Buffy took a firm step back. “Stop.” Her eyes met his clearly.

“Nothing?” Spike challenged. When Buffy didn’t respond, he exhaled sharply. “Oh soddin’ hell! I felt something, okay? You…you drive me bloody insane! Half of the time I can’t decide whether I want to kill you or bleedin’ kiss you!”

“Yeah, well, talk to your hormones,” Buffy flippantly replied, ignoring how her stomach was doing summersaults.

Spike shook his head, looking somewhat defeated. “You know what, Summers? Never the fuckin’ mind.” With that, he stormed out of her room, slamming her door in the process.

Buffy stood there for a moment, staring at the door, her mind restless. What she did was the right thing, right? Pushing Spike and his kissy lips far away was the best thing for everyone.

Then Buffy sighed as a very important question nagged her brain. How was she going to get to work now?

***********************

“Thanks, Wesley,” Buffy gushed for the hundredth time since he had agreed to give her a ride to work.

“No problem,” he said easily. “Fred mentioned you were having a bit of transportation trouble. Do you need a ride home?”

Buffy shook her head as she picked up her bag. “No, my mom’s picking up but thanks. See ya tomorrow.” She climbed out of the small car and added one more thank you before shutting the door.

Turning to the Magic Box, Buffy took in a deep breath and opened the door. She walked down the steps past a few customers and into the back.

“Jeff?” She called out.

Jeff suddenly stepped out from behind a stack of boxes. “Hey, Buffy, ready to start?”

Buffy nodded. “Yep.”

“Good,” Jeff replied with a smile. “Nicki is going to train you with the cash register, and then I’ll have you help me stock. Sound good?”

Buffy nodded and followed Jeff out to the front again to the cashier. He handed helped her switch drawers with Nicki.

“I’ll be in the back if you need me,” Jeff said to both Nicki and Buffy.

“Yeah,” Nicki said listlessly and then turned to Buffy with a raised brow. “So, you’ve never cashiered?”

“No, but I’m a fast learner,” Buffy said with a winning smile.

Nicki snapped her gum. “Whatever, just don’t fuck anything up.”

Buffy attempt at a pleasant smile faltered. “Right.”

A customer approached the counter with a few candles and a book. Her nails were scarily long and painted black which neatly matched her long stringy hair.

“Okay,” Nicki said to Buffy while pushing a button. “Here’s what you do…”

**************

After two hours of training, Nicki took off for her break, leaving Buffy to cashier by herself.

An older woman with a wide-brim hat set down a collection of oils, giving Buffy a wrinkled smile. “Hello, dear.”

“Hi,” Buffy said with a pasted on smile. “Did you find everything okay?”

The woman’s face fell a little. “Actually, dear, I was wondering if you have any Mummy Hands in stock.”

Buffy blinked. “Um…” she looked around. “Let me check. Hold on.” She peered around the corner, trying to see of Jeff was there.

“Um…Jeff?” She called out hesitantly. He’s probably downstairs, Buffy realized and walked down the first couple of steps.

She started to call out Jeff’s name again, but stopped when she noticed a shadow shifting. It slid into the partial light, revealing Jeff and Nicki in a heavy lip-lock. Awkwardly, Buffy backed up the stairs and quickly made her way to the register where the woman was waiting hopefully.

“I’m sorry,” Buffy lied, “we’re out right now, but I’ll order more. If you want to leave your phone number, we can contact you…” she trailed off as the woman nodded.

“Sure, sure. Thank you, darling,” the lady said as Buffy rang up her other purchases. She pushed the pad of paper with her number on it towards the blonde. “Goodbye now.”

“Bye, have a good day,” Buffy recited. She glanced down at her fingers, trying to understand what she’d seen in the basement. Was that even right? After all, he was her boss and Buffy was pretty sure Nicki wasn’t twenty-something.

“Buffy, how’s it going?”

She spun around to face Jeff and gave him a nervous smile. “Good. Um, do we have Mummy Hands?”

Jeff frowned. “We should. Was someone looking for one?”

“Uh yeah, but I wasn’t sure and I couldn’t find you so I told her I’d call later,” Buffy answered sheepishly. “Sorry.”

“No, you did the right thing,” Jeff told her. “Ready for stocking? Nicki’ll take over the register now.”

“Yeah,” Buffy answered, trying to remain upbeat, but her mind was still lingering on Nicki and Jeff. Did Anya know? She wondered.

“Buffy?”

“Oh.” The blonde snapped to attention. “Sorry, spaced a little. Um, lead the way.”

********************

After an hour and a half of stocking and painstaking labeling, Buffy had returned to the cash register, letting Nicki take her second break.

“Buffy?” Jeff tapped her on the shoulder. “Why don’t you go count now? Your shift’s almost up.”

“Count?” Buffy replied meekly, glancing down at the register.

Jeff chuckled slightly. “Just count out your debit/credit slips. Yell if you need anything,” he told her.

“Okay,” Buffy agreed as Jeff wandered back downstairs.

As she slid her drawer out, she could feel a pair of eyes on her. Glancing up, Buffy’s heart plummeted.

“Don’t get your knickers in a twist, Summers. I’m just here to give you a soddin’ ride home,” Spike grumbled.

It took Buffy a minute to find her voice. “I’m not done yet.”

Spike looked down at his thick leather watch and rolled his eyes. “7:00?” At Buffy’s nod, he added, “I’ll be next door till then.”

Buffy nodded again and took her draw into the back to count. She let out a loud sigh and tucked her hair behind her ears. For the past 24 hours, Buffy had successfully avoided Spike and she was pretty sure he’d been doing the same.

Her mother must’ve made him come get her, Buffy realized as she finished counting her debit slips.

As Mondays go, it’d been pretty uneventful at school. Mostly talk about the party and Buffy’s Drunken Fun as Xander dubbed it.

She hadn’t told any of her friends what had really happened, and so far, she wasn’t planning on it. Her emotions were in enough turmoil as it was. She had no clue what she wanted, she never seemed to.

But Spike had made it crystal clear as to what he wanted, and that, Buffy admitted, was freaking her out more than she’d like.

Another sigh escaped as Buffy punched out. She called out goodbye to Jeff and walked around the counter.

Pulling her nametag off, Buffy’s hands automatically went to smooth down her shirt and fix her hair. Instantly, she stopped herself with an internal glare. What was she doing? Friggin’ preening for Spike?

Rolling her eyes, Buffy pushed the door open and immediately spotted Spike’s massive black thing that was supposed to be a car.

She leaned against the passenger door and stretched out her jean-encased legs. Her flimsy top fluttered slightly in the breeze and she watched as the sun dipped lower below the horizon.

Buffy jumped slightly as she felt the car doors unlock. Turning slightly, she saw Spike crossing the street with a small bag in his hand. Not bother to wait for him, Buffy slid into the oversized leather seats and buckled her seatbelt.

Seconds later, Spike dropped into his seat, yanking the seatbelt across his chest. Startling her, Spike threw the bag in his hand onto Buffy’s lap. A frown instantly appeared on her brow.

“What’s this?” She asked, unable to keep the annoyance out of her voice.

Spike gunned the engine, his eyes never leaving the road. “For you,” he answered shortly.

Buffy blinked. Did she hear him right? “Me?” She repeated, staring down at the white bag with newfound curiosity.

“Yeah,” he mumbled. When she didn’t move to open it, he added, “don’t worry, it doesn’t’ bite, Scout’s Honor.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Scout my ass.” She gingerly opened the bag and peered in. Two wooden pencils were bound together with string and a slip of paper told her that one was a charcoal and the other an ebony pencil.

Pulling them out, Buffy was struck speechless by undeniable gratitude. “Thanks,” she said at last, studying the pencils. They were well crafted and absolutely perfect. But why was he giving them to her?

She echoed her thought out loud and Spike shrugged. “You said you draw. Thought you might need another couple of pencils.”

“I do,” she replied honestly, gently placing them back in the bag. “Thank you,” she repeated. Then another thought occurred to her. “I’m not making out with you again because you brought me really, really nice pencils.”

Spike scoffed loudly. “Please! Give me a bit more credit than that!” He paused for a moment. “Think of them as an apology gift for…endangering your virtue.”

Buffy scowled. Did she detect some sarcasm in the whole ‘endangering your virtue’ line? “You didn’t.”

Spike slowed the car to a stop and glanced over at her. “Didn’t what?”

“Endanger my virtue,” Buffy admitted with a grumble. “I’m pretty sure I was a very willing participant. Not that,” she added, “we should ever retest that theory.”

A smirk fixed itself on Spike’s face. “Really?”

“Really,” Buffy said, her voice firm.

There was a lapse as Spike made a left turn. “Well,” he said, breaking the silence. “It was worth a shot.”

Buffy’s only response was to slug him in the shoulder.

****************

After Spike dropped her off and left to go hang out with Gunn, Buffy trotted upstairs and deposited her new gift. For a long moment she stared down at the pencil, torn.

Who knew that Spike could actually be…sweet? Then again the whole resisting her drunken seduction and comforting her after a nightmare fell under the ‘sweet’ category too.
That’s it, Buffy decided and grabbed her cell phone. She needed to talk to somebody. Anya was out. While Buffy liked the outspoken girl, she did have a tendency to not see the big deal about certain moral dilemmas. And Willow, well, she was pretty good at keeping major secrets that no one was going to be asking her about, like the whole Angel mess, but telling her about possible lusty feelings for Spike? No way.

Fred, however, seemed like a good choice. Buffy dialed the brunette’s number and held her breath as she listened to the rings.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Fred,” Buffy blurted. She paced the space of her carpet, worrying her bottom lip.

“Hi Buffy,” Fred said slowly. “Is something wrong?”

“No. Yes.” Buffy took a deep breath. “I think I have a problem.”

“Ookay.” Fred drew the word out in her Texan twang. “What is it?”

“Um…” Buffy mentally pushed herself. Do it! “I thinkIkindalikeSpike.” Her rushed sentence blurred into one word, nearly indiscernible to Fred’s ear.

“What? I think you need to repeat that,” Fred said warily. Actually, she was pretty sure she heard something about Spike and that never boded well.

“I,” Buffy paused, “I think I kinda like…Spike.” She sighed noisily. “Oh god I can’t believe I just said that out loud,” she moaned, slapping her head with her hand.

“Wait, you what?” Fred exclaimed, thinking she heard Buffy wrong. There was no way…

“I think I like Spike,” Buffy repeated glumly, her fingers grazing over the pencils.

“As in a ‘you’re kinda cool for an almost-stepbrother’ or a ‘you’re hot and I possibly want to date you’ kinda like?” Fred demanded.

“Hot,” Buffy answered meekly.

“Oh my god!” Fred’s voice jumped several octaves. “You…Spike…oh Lord.”

“Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. How can I be attracted to Spike? I mean, he’s a rude, abrasive, bleached boneheaded…ugh. And there’s the whole ‘our parents are dating’ thing.”

There was a silence, and Buffy was afraid Fred had hung up. “Fred?” She dared.

“Sorry, I’m just all…confused,” Fred finished. “Extremely confused. Um, when did this happen?”

Buffy nibbled on her lip. “Possibly at the beach house,” she admitted.

“The beach house?” Fred echoed incredulously. “But that was weeks ago!”

“I know,” Buffy moaned. “But it was so awkward and…bad. Except for the whole kissage thing which was definitely not bad. In fact, it was really, really good. The bad kinda good.”

“Oh,” Fred said, sounding faint. “And at Willow’s…?”

“We made out on the floor,” Buffy confessed with a cringe. “I’m such a slut.”

“No! Buffy, don’t say that. It’s just…a little puzzling, I mean, you’re cute together and all, but I never thought…” She trailed off. “What are you gonna do?”

“What can I do?” Buffy responded. “I just need to be firm, and tell Spike we are most definitely, never, ever going to be doing any kind of lip-lockage. Ever.”

“But Buffy,” Fred began, her voice echoing her confusion. “You like him.”

Buffy blew out a breath. “No. I’m all lusty over him. It’s not exactly a date thing.”

“But still…what are you gonna do?” Fred repeated.

This time Buffy stopped, a frown creasing her brow. “I don’t know,” she finally spoke. “What do you think?”

Fred felt helpless as she answered, “I’m not so sure either.”

Buffy stopped pacing and slunk down in her chair. “Yeah.”
Torn by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
sorry for the very long wait for an update. I'll try my hardest to update faster, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to. Thanks a bunch to my reviewers and, of course, my beta for sticking by me. Thanks!
Chapter 26: Need


Just push the door, Buffy instructed herself. Her fingers fiddled with the shoulder strap of her backpack as she pushed the swinging door open with her free hand.

Ducking slightly, Buffy stepped in the quiet room and turned to the front desk.

“Oh,” Giles blinked. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Buffy shrugged uncomfortably. “Yeah. Research paper.”

“For US History?” Giles questioned as he moved around the desk.

“Yeah,” Buffy answered slowly. “How’d you know?”

A faint smile appeared on Giles’s face. “William did the same one last year right after Halloween.”

“Oh.” Buffy felt a little stupid. Sometimes she forgot that Giles and Spike were actually related. “Right. Where’s the American history section?”

“Right behind those stacks.” Giles pointed up at the stairs, indicating to the first row. “There’s a little table up there so you can look at them, if you want.”

Buffy smiled gratefully. “Thanks, Giles.”

“Of course, Buffy. I must run to the teacher’s lounge for a moment, so if you have any questions ask Tara.”

“Tara?” Buffy echoed in confusion. “She’s here?”

Giles nodded, looking surprised at her uncertainty. “Yes, she’s, erm, helping me sort through the new donations. She should be back in the stacks somewhere.” He absentmindedly glanced over Buffy’s shoulder before walking out of the library.

“Tara?” Buffy called out loudly.

There was a dull thunk and shuffle as Tara’s peeked out from behind a rather tall shelf. “Buffy!” She said, surprised. “Looking for a book?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “US History paper.”

Tara made a sympathetic noise. “I remember that.” She walked down the stairs, her long skirt swishing around her ankles.

“So, where’ve you been?” Buffy questioned as she leaned against the desk. “I didn’t see you at the dance.”

“Um,” Tara began, her gaze flittering. “I-I had a lot of w-work to do.”

Tara’s explanation was vague enough that Buffy suspected it wasn’t true, which meant she was avoiding someone, probably Willow. She tried to think back if Willow had mentioned Tara much in the past week and found herself realizing she hadn’t.

“Is everything okay?” Buffy asked carefully, setting her bag down on the ground. “I mean, you and Willow haven’t been hanging out much.”

“O-oh, w-we have, I’m just…busy,” Tara said by way of answer. This time, there was no doubt in Buffy’s mind something was wrong.

“Oh.” Buffy glanced down at her light pink nails. The color was sheer and pink; the opposite of what she was feeling right now. It then occurred to her that maybe Tara was a good person to talk to about her dilemma with Spike.

While Fred was good at keeping it quiet, she didn’t really know how to answer. Give the brunette a complex physics problem, she’d solve it in a second, but real life was a little different. Wesley was like that too, which was probably why they were together.

Buffy, on the other hand, seemed to be clueless on both. It didn’t used to be that way, Buffy used to be the It Girl before last year. Everything came easily until Angel.

Complications.

“Buffy?” Tara prompted gently with a searching look.

“Do you think maybe you could stop by the Magic Box around 6:30?” Buffy proposed. “I’ll be done with work then, and there’s something I wanna…talk to you about.”

Despite her puzzled expression, Tara agreed. “Sure. But, um, the library is empty.”

“I know.” Buffy bit her lower lip. “It’s just…private. I really don’t need anyone….especially Giles, you know, overhearing anything.”

“Oh,” Tara said, understandingly. “Right, he’s your stepfather.”

Buffy felt that disappointing sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. “Exactly.”

************


“Wait, what happened?” Buffy asked, thoroughly puzzled.

Currently, she, Willow and Anya were sitting outside in the balmy sun during lunch while Anya was explaining her fight with Xander.

“He’s being a stupid head,” Willow announced, taking a bite of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Anya nibbled out a carrot, her brow furrowed. “I laugh at his jokes, I support him, I give him great sex and not to mention the amazing blow jobs. And all I get is an ‘I don’t know, Ahn’? What the hell?”

Buffy glanced between the two girls. “Again I say ‘huh?’”

Anya sighed loudly. “Xander and I were making out in my car and I very subtly asked him if this meant something, you know? We’ve been screwing each other’s brains out for the past three months, so shouldn’t he call me his girlfriend? He’s not dating anyone else,” she paused, turning to Willow. “Right?”

The redhead nodded vigorously. “Right.”

“So,” Anya continued, now spooning her chocolate pudding in her mouth. “He’s all ‘undecided’ and ‘I don’t know’.” She huffed, “Men.”

Buffy blinked. “So you and Xander…?”

“Nonexistent until Xander grows a pair,” Anya announced with another scoop of pudding.

“Okay,” was all Buffy felt she could say. She turned to Willow. “Please tell me you and Oz are still in the insane happy land?”

Willow’s face adopted an uncertain look. “Actually, I’m not so sure,” she admitted.

“What?” Buffy blurted. “Is everyone having relationship problems? You were both supposed to be my light at the end of a very, very long and dark tunnel.”

“Well,” Willow amended, “we’re not not good, but…I don’t know, I…I just feel like maybe…” she trailed off, staring across the courtyard.

“Wills?” Anya prompted.

“I don’t know,” Willow echoed with a weak shrug. “Maybe it’s nothing.”

Buffy studied her friend’s worried, torn expression and decided to change the subject. “So…where’s Fred and Wes?”

“Extra credit Physics lab,” Willow answered swiftly. “They told me they wouldn’t be at lunch.”

“Nerds,” Anya imputed without malice.

“Well, they’re still in happy land, right? All good and…happy,” Buffy tried with false confidence.

“Yeah,” the two dolefully responded in unison.

“Yeah,” Buffy repeated. There was a gloomy pause before she added, “Okay, who wants chocolate?”

Both girls’ hands went up, and Buffy sighed, standing up. “Two chocolate bars, coming up.”

*************************

For the first time since Buffy had been at Sunnydale High, she didn’t go straight to the track/football field. Cross-country had ended, sadly, and the cooler, for California anyway, weather was coming in. She pulled her blazer tighter around her waist and attempted to keep up with Anya’s rapid pace.

Buffy immediately spied the red convertible, top up this time, parked awkwardly in its spot.

“Nice parking job,” she said, unable to hide her smirk.

Anya beamed. “Thank you! It’s so much better than last year.”

Buffy shook her head in wonder. “How exactly did you pass?”

Anya unlocked the car and both girls slid in the buttery leather seats. “I’m not sure. One minute I was describing the patriotic purpose of money and capitalism and the next, the lady was giving me my slip.”

Buffy broke out into a wide grin. “I’ll have to remember that technique.”

Anya backed out of her spot and with a squeal, shot out of the parking lot. “What technique?” She asked, puzzled.

“Never mind,” Buffy wisely responded.

They pulled into the Magic Box with two minutes to spare. Buffy quickly pinned her nametag on and ran a hand over her hair, smoothing it down. She and Anya raced into the building through the back, punched in and went to the front desk where Jeff was managing the cash register.

“Hey guys,” he greeted cheerfully.

“Hey Jeff,” Anya replied with a charming grin. “Who’s your favorite cashier today?”

Jeff chuckled. “Actually, Buffy.”

The blonde’s brow furrowed. “Me?” She echoed, glancing at Anya.

“Yep, and Anya,” he said her name clearly, “will be helping with me with our monthly inventory.”

Anya turned to Buffy with a smug little grin. “If I didn’t, Jeff would be a terrified little man cowering in the corner of his store.”

Jeff rolled his eyes as Anya followed him to the back room. “I just let you think that so you don’t bug me about helping,” he told her with a ‘ha!’ look. Then he added to Buffy, “Remember everything for the cash register?”

Buffy nodded ‘yes’ and went to go grab her drawer. She could still hear Jeff and Anya arguing playfully as they descended down into the basement to do inventory. She smiled a little at their antics. Maybe he wasn’t so bad, she thought, thinking back to what she saw the pervious week. And, she added mentally, who was she to judge?

A rather obese old man with a receding hairline waddled to the counter and plopped down his purchases, sniffling loudly.

Buffy gave him her perfected beam. “Hi, welcome to the Magic Box. Did you find everything you need?”

**********

At 6:32, Buffy punched out and met Tara outside of the shop. She unpinned her name tag and stuck it in her pocket and put her backpack in Tara’s car. They wandered down to the ice-cream parlor and ordered before strolling on sidewalk.

Buffy took a lick of her mint chip as Tara finally asked, “So, what’d you want to talk about?”

It took Buffy a moment to respond, but she did, her voice soft. “I wanted to talk about…Spike.”

Tara took a little spoonful of her chocolate. “What about him? Y-you guys not getting along well?”

Buffy laughed sardonically. “Actually, kinda the opposite.”

Tara looked thoroughly befuddled. “You m-mean you’re…getting along well?” Her words tumbled out clumsily.

“You could say that,” Buffy said slowly, “or you could say we made out.”

Tara stopped in her tracks, ignorant to the drop of ice cream trickling down her fingers. “Y-you w-what?” Her voice was shocked.

“We kissed,” Buffy muttered quickly. “At the beach house and then again at the party, where I was so not sober and there may have been some taking advantage of…by me. God, I’m a slut.” She repeated her words from her conversation with Fred.

“No you’re not, Buffy,” Tara replied gently, seemingly over her shock.

“What?” Buffy asked, looking up. “You’re not shocked, disgusted…”

“No!” Tara shook her head vehemently. “Well, definitely shocked, because, you know, it’s you and Spike, but not disgusted. You’re not related by blood, Buffy, just remember that.”

“I know,” Buffy admitted, “but it’s still so…weird and awkward. Almost like we are siblings. My mom and Giles keep pushing for us all to be one big happy family, and meanwhile, the big brother and sweet little sister are having lusty feelings.”

Tara giggled a little at the imagery. “Okay,” she conceded, “it is a little awkward.”

“A little?” Buffy grumbled, “try way awkward.”

“But,” Tara continued firmly, “you can’t just ignore the feelings.”

“Why not?” Buffy muttered. She knew she couldn’t, but she wanted to say it anyway.

“I think you know why,” Tara observed, taking a lick of her ice cream.

Buffy swallowed a heaping spoonful of ice cream, enjoying the icy flavor slide down her throat. “Yeah.”

“Are you…are you in love with him?” Tara ventured timidly.

“No!” Buffy’s response was immediate and sharp. She really wasn’t. Love was something far, far away from any feeling she had for Spike, and she didn’t plan on changing that anytime soon.

“Just asking,” Tara told her with a half-teasing smile.

Buffy smiled back. “Then the answer is no. It’s not.”

Tara’s expression turned serious as they found themselves in front of her slightly beaten little silver car. “Whatever you choose, Buffy, it’s the right choice for you, okay?”

“Okay, thanks,” Buffy answered, taking one last bite of her ice cream before tossing it out. Tara did the same and wiped her hands off on a little napkin.

Buffy looked around sheepishly. “Um…give me a ride home?”

Tara laughed a little. “Sure.”

The drive to Revello Dr. was relatively quiet and peppered by the occasional small talk. Mostly, Buffy was thinking about everything. Everything meaning Spike and their situation. She knew she needed an answer soon, she couldn’t just expect Spike of all people to just drop it. He’d keep pushing, she’d bet on it.

Tara turned into Buffy’s driveway and parked the car. Buffy hoisted her backpack on her shoulders and turned to her friend. “Thanks, it really helped talking to you.”

“You’re welcome a-and thanks for ice cream, it was good,” Tara replied with a shy smile.

“No problem,” Buffy said easily. She bit her lip, remembering her question. “Maybe it’s none of my business, but what’s going on with you and Willow?”

Flustered, Tara stumbled over her vague answer. “I-we’re…not…it’s not that-“ she stopped herself, looking apologetic. “It’s not really my place to tell.”

Buffy nodded slowly. “I understand, thanks though. But even if you’re fighting or whatever, I’m sure you’ll work it out.”

“Yeah, we will.”
Surrender by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
I'm so excited to have this chapter up so soon. Thanks to my amazing reviewers/readers and my awesomest beta-you're the best! Enjoy all!

NOTE: I'm looking for someone willing to make a pretty pic for this story, if interested, e-mail: riahannon18@yahoo.com
Chapter 27: Surrender



“Fred, are you avoiding me?” Buffy confronted the thin brunette before school. After a couple more days of Fred not saying more than two words to her, Buffy had decided to take matters into her own hands.

“No!” Fred replied; however, her nervous habit of twisting pieces of her long hair betrayed her unsaid feelings.

“Fred…” Buffy began with a look.

The brunette instantly caved. “It’s not that I’ve been avoiding ya,” she explained with a fretful look. “It’s just that…”

“You’re freaked,” Buffy finished for her miserably.

“No!” Fred repeated, and paused. “Not exactly…more like…baffled. Not freaked.”

“Okay.” Buffy blew out a breath. “Understandable. You promise you’re not…disgusted or something.”

“I promise I’m not,” Fred said earnestly. “Honest.” They started walking towards the English wing together.

“So…did you ever decided about…?” Fred trailed off.

“I’m undecided,” Buffy confessed in a low voice. “I told Tara and she helped, sorta, but I’m still…very confused.”

“You talked to Tara?” Fred asked, surprised. “I haven’t seen her practically all week.”

“She’s kinda hiding from Willow,” Buffy confided. “I guess their mad at each other or something. I’m not sure, she didn’t say.”

Fred wore a concerned expression. “Is she gonna sit with use at lunch again? I miss her.”

“Me too,” Buffy agreed, “But I don’t think so. She’s been helping Giles in the library.”

“Really?” That kindled Fred’s curiosity. She pushed a thick strand of hair over her shoulder. “Since when?”

“I think since she and Willow stopped talking,” Buffy replied. The two stopped outside of Fred’s class.

“I’ll talk to you later,” Buffy told the brunette with a wave.

Fred quickly waved back and slipped into her classroom. Buffy glanced at the clock and swore. She only had two minutes to get her class. Hurriedly, Buffy raced to her classroom and managed to slide into her seat at the final bell.

“Nice one,” the girl next to her whispered and Buffy gave her a half-grin.

“Thanks,” Buffy whispered back and yanked out her binder and pen.

“Ms. Summers,” the teacher’s drawling voice rang out.

“Uh, yes?” Buffy replied hesitantly.

The teacher’s steely eyes bored into hers. “Next time, try to be in your seat and ready before the bell rings.”

****************************

“Why are we sitting outside again?” Buffy whined, shivering in her thin shirt. The weather had gone from mildly pleasant the day before to jacket-mandatory the next.

Instantly Anya responded, “Because Xander Idiot Harris is inside at our table with Oz.”

“And we’re avoiding them,” Willow added with a sympathetic shrug.

Buffy’s teeth chattered. “I-I’m freezing.”

Anya’s gaze flickered over Buffy’s outfit. “You should’ve worn a jacket,” she advised unnecessarily.

“Thanks,” Buffy replied sarcastically. Her shirt was a pretty blue with a deep V and a lacy camisole underneath. Cute, but not exactly weather-appropriate. For once, Buffy wished she’d listened to her mom in the morning.

Willow nibbled on her usual peanut butter and jelly sandwich, staring out at the bubbly fountain. “Besides, it’s pretty outside.”

Anya turned to look behind her, trying to peer into the tall glass windows. “Whatever. Can either of you see Xander?”

“No,” Buffy answered, not bothering to even look. The windows were highly reflective from the outside it was impossible to see anything but their reflection.

Anya pouted slightly and bit into her apple. “Stupid penis head,” she mumbled.

“Name-calling?” Buffy half-teased.

“Well he is,” Anya countered childishly.

Willow and Buffy locked eyes and shared a grin. For all her sex and money knowledge, Anya could still act like a five year old kid with her lack of tact.

“You still haven’t talked to him?” Willow tried.

“No,” Anya muttered angrily. “I need groveling before I talk to him again.”

“Maybe,” Buffy ventured, “if you talked to him, he’d understand why you’re currently not talking to him.”

Anya paused, worrying her lip thoughtfully. “Why wouldn’t he know I’m pissed?”

“Because you haven’t told him,” Willow reminded her gently.

For a moment, Anya seemed to be contemplating her words, but then shook her head. “No,” she decided stubbornly. “If Xander wants to talk to me, he can grovel.”

Willow shrugged helplessly and Buffy decided it was wise to change the topic, quickly.

“So, what’re you doing for thanksgiving?” Buffy asked.

A determined frown firmly placed itself on Willow’s face. “Nothing. In fact, I’ll be protesting the new building at the college this weekend. Thanksgiving is nothing but the obliteration of indigenous people.”

“Okay,” Buffy said slowly to Willow’s out burst. “Anya?”

Anya shrugged, munching on a cookie. “Turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie. Daddy “working” at the office.” She rolled her eyes. “Honestly, does he really think that working excuse actually works anymore?”

Willow looked perplexed. “What does he do?”

“Screws his secretary,” Anya answered nonchalantly.

Buffy’s olive eyes went round. “Oh,” the simplicity of her response was belayed by the shock in her voice.

Anya remained unaffected. “It’s not that big of a deal. Mom’s having an affair with the pool boy.”

“Oh, wow,” Willow commented faintly and then recognition brightened in her eyes. “Wait the same pool boy who…?” When Anya nodded with a smirk, Willow added, “Goddess!”

Buffy looked between the two with a confused stare. “Wait, huh?”

“Anya had a fling with the pool boy last summer, and now her mom is…” Willow trailed off, letting it sink in.

“Anya,” Buffy finally spoke, “that’s a little…disturbing. Like a soap opera.”

“My mother’s insane, my father’s a cheating bastard,” Anya said candidly.

“My dad’s a cheating ass too,” Buffy adjoined, pulling her legs up to her chest, looking out at the nearly empty courtyard.

Willow stared down at her plain nails. “My mother spends more time at protests in LA than she spends at home.”

“Our families kinda suck,” Buffy surmised.

“Well, we’ll do better,” Willow said with confidence.

Anya leaned back against the wall. “Shit, we can’t do worse.”

*********************

After lunch, Buffy and Willow walked together to class. Buffy bit her lip, giving Willow a glance before speaking. “Hey,” she began, “what’s going on with you and Oz?”

Willow hugged the books in her hand closer to her chest. “I don’t know,” she confessed. “I like him a lot, but…” Once again, the redhead shrugged, unable to put her feelings in words.

“Trust me,” Buffy told her in a low voice. “I get that feeling.”

Willow looked at Buffy questioningly. “Who? That guy from the Bronze…Riley?”

Buffy had barely thought about the college guy since she’d returned from the beach house. “No, not him. Just…someone else.”

A flicker of disappointment flashed in Willow’s eyes. “Oh.”

Buffy immediately felt guilty. “I really wish I could tell you, but I’m really unsure about…everything. Please don’t be mad.”

“I’m not,” Willow finally decided. “Do I know him?”

Buffy nodded slightly, and Willow’s widened to saucers. “Oh!” This time her simple response brimmed with excitement and curiosity.

They stopped by Buffy’s classroom and Willow asked, “Well, what’re you going to say to him?”

The question of the day, Buffy thought and twirled a lock of hair. “I don’t know.”

“Buffy,” Willow began seriously, “do you really like him?”

Fuck, she did. “Yes,” Buffy answered quietly, avoiding Willow’s gaze. “I mean…sorta.” She let out a noise of frustration. “It’s too confusing!”

Willow paused thoughtfully. “Go with your instincts,” she announced.

“Yeah, but…what if you think your instincts are wrong?” Buffy asked plaintively.

“They’re not,” Willow responded with utmost confidence.

Buffy gave her a wry look. “Are you sure about that?”

Willow shrugged a little, hesitant. “Well, I’m not sure, that’s just what Tara always tells me.” Her voice softened at Tara’s name.

“Willow-“Buffy tried, but was cut off.

“Sorry,” the redhead blurted, “I don’t want to be late.” She took a few steps back, and then added, “Remember: instincts!”

Buffy watched Willow bob through the traffic in the hallways and sighed loudly. “Right. Instincts,” she muttered under her breath, “too bad mine tell me to jump my stepbrother.”

********************

As soon as the final bell rang, Buffy shot out of her seat. She quickly pushed through the masses of lingering students, intent on making it to the parking lot before Spike left with her ride.

She pushed the heavy metal and glass door, rushing out into the sunshine. The clouds had melted away sometime during the afternoon, and Buffy had to shield her eyes to see the cars.

She spotted the Desoto, chipped and worn, parked on the far side of the parking lot. “Shit,” Buffy swore loudly and weaved through the traffic, nearly getting hit once or twice while trying to wedge between the long lines of cars.

Her backpack strap slipped off her shoulder as she approached Spike’s car, and she dropped out the ground, leaning against the hot metal door. She tilted her chin up, soaking in the lukewarm rays.

“Summers.”

Startled, Buffy straightened and turned over her shoulder to see Spike standing there in his leather duster holding his keys.

“Uh…can you give me a ride home?” Buffy asked meekly, her bravado seemingly disappeared.

Spike gave a short nod and unlocked the doors. Buffy scrambled to grab her backpack and slide into the bucket seats. Slowly, she relaxed in the seat. “Thanks,” she said politely.

Spike started the engine, ignoring her comment. Buffy blew out a breath, turning to stare out the window. Maybe this had been a bad idea.

The only noise during the drive was the Sex Pistols blasting from the stereo. Buffy even hummed along with it as best as she could, but nothing seemed to illicit any words from Spike. A rare occasion, she thought with an annoyed look. Usually she couldn’t get him to shut up.

Spike turned the massive car into the driveway, parked it and turned off the engine. Buffy took that as her cue to pick up her backpack and get out. Not that she would protest much. Not Talking Spike wasn’t exactly a bundle of fun.

Buffy had one foot out of the car when Spike blurted, “You know, I don’t bloody get you Summers. You fuckin’ ask me for a ride home after not talking to me for two weeks, and then, don’t even say a soddin’ word. What’s the matter with you, you stupid bint? You run hot and cold-“

Buffy had the supreme urge to yell, “Shut up!” But instead, she dropped her bag and turned to face Spike head on, her face set with determination.

“Make up your bloody mind, woman! I-“

Buffy effectively cut him off with a deep, long kiss. Her tongue traced his lips gently, and her fingers curled around his neck. After a moment, she pulled back. “Is that clear enough?”

Spike resumed his cocky demeanor. “Not a bloody chance,” he told her and pulled her across the seat for another engrossing kiss. Buffy readily kissed him back, letting herself give in.

Instincts, she remembered hazily. She’d really have to thank Willow and Tara.



A/N: Ahem…while this ending does sound promising, nobody should get too comfortable with this happy, conflict-resolved moment. There’s still lots more to happen! Also, Anya’s line ‘shit, we can’t do worse’ is from the A-List series—I always liked that line.
New by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the reviews! Many thanks to my beta!! Enjoy the chapter!
Chapter 28: New

“Come on, Summers. I bloody beat your arse,” Spike insisted loudly as they lay panting on the dewy grass.

“Even if you did, it was by a billionth of a second,” Buffy retorted and added a final, “if!

Spike scoffed, stretching his arms. Buffy found herself watching in fascination as his muscles rippled slightly and his ivory skin, pulling taut. Her gaze slowly lifted to his eyes, which glittered with amusement.

Spike inched closer, tugging on Buffy’s t-shirt, pulling her forward, and captured her lips. Her hands automatically curled around his neck, closing the gap between them despite the sweatiness.

Unlike their other kisses, this one was soft and sweet, just the slightest pressure of his lips tasting hers. Kissing Spike was…electrifying. She felt it everywhere-her toes, her skin, her stomach, her…

“Mmm…” a soft sigh escaped from her mouth and Spike held her closer, deepening their kiss, his hands resting tamely on her waist.

After a moment, Buffy pulled back and cleared her throat, trying to catch her much-needed breath. Spike glanced at his watch and groaned out loud.

Frowning, Buffy turned his wrist so she could read the time. A curse exploded from her lips, “shit!” She scrambled to her feet, “shower, need shower.”

Spike smirked at her flustered appearance. “You’re cute when you’re running late.”

“Shut up,” she responded with a roll of her eyes. She yanked his hand, pulling him along as they walked a block to their house. As they came up the driveway, Buffy unceremoniously dropped Spike’s hand, racing inside with him at her heels.

Joyce and Giles were standing at the bottom of the steps holding a steaming cup of coffee, when Buffy burst in. “My, you two are up early,” Joyce commented as Spike followed.

“Yep,” Buffy said raggedly. “Dibs on shower,” she announced and sprinted up the stairs.

Spike stood there panting slightly. “Blood hell,” he grumbled and jogged up the stairs. He pounded on the door and said loudly, “Don’t take to soddin’ long, you bint!”

He heard the shower turn on as Buffy yelled back, “Shut up, Spike!”

Spike dragged his sore body into his room and flopped back on his bed covered in a black comforter. True to his gender, he then immediately started fantasizing about wet, soapy, naked Buffy.

*************

“Willow!”

The redhead turned around, spotting Buffy running up to her. She paused, waiting for the blonde to catch up. “Did you just get here?” Willow asked as they headed to the English wing.

“Yeah,” Buffy answered with a roll of her eyes. “Spike made us late.”

Willow laughed. “I bet he’d say the same thing about you.”

A scowl formed on the blonde’s features as she grumbled, “He’s stupid.” She hoisted her backpack further up her shoulder, straightening her shirt.

“So…did you and Oz talk?” Buffy asked conversationally, trying to sound offhand.

Automatically, Willow adopted a nervous look and bit her lip. “Maybe…not.”

Buffy stopped her friend. “What are you waiting for? Who was the one who was all “Go instincts!” Friday?”

“Hey!” Willow said defensively. “I will, I’m just not sure how to…well, talk. About it.”

“What is ‘it’?” Buffy asked, crossing her arms.

Willow fidgeted. “I can’t tell you right now. Not with, you know, people around.”

With a sigh, Buffy hauled Willow down the hallway and into a supply closet. She shut the door quickly and turned the light on. It weakly illuminated Willow’s anxious face and Buffy’s stern one. “Okay, spill.”

“Ican’tfigureoutmyfeelingsforhim,” Willow spewed in a rush.

It took Buffy a minute to discern Willow’s garbled words. “Okay…” she began slowly. “Well, do you like him?”

“Yes.”

“And he likes you,” Buffy added. Her brow creased slightly. “I don’t get it. I mean you like him…why the avoiding?”

“It’s complicated,” Willow muttered, looking down at the dirty cement floor.

“How?” Buffy demanded, feeling exasperated.

“It’s complicated…” Willow sighed. “Because of Tara.”

Oh. It was all coming together now for Buffy. “You mean Tara likes Oz too,” she said with a nod of understanding.

“No…” Willow trailed off, picking at her nails.

“Oz likes Tara?” Buffy questioned more than stated.

Willow looked up at Buffy, and in that moment, Buffy’s jaw dropped as she made the real connection. “You and…Tara?”

“No, I don’t know…maybe.” Willow exhaled and watched Buffy face carefully. “You’re freaking.”

“No! I’m not, honest.” And it was true, Buffy realized. She wasn’t really freaked, a little surprised. Then she realized that it was the same way Fred and Tara had reacted to her own news.

“Um…Wills there’s something I should tell you. Remember I told you there was a guy, but I couldn’t tell you who?”

Willow nodded, seemingly over her fear of Buffy’s rejection or freak out.

“Well…it’s Spike.”

There was a long moment where Willow wore a confused and blank expression. Then it morphed into extreme surprise. “Goddess! You and Spike are…”

“Officially an unofficial…thing,” Buffy answered. “It’s kinda…iffy.” She then reversed the topic back to Tara. “So what happened with you and Tara?”

Willow paused before answering reluctantly. “The weekend you and Spike were at the beach house…wait was that where…?”

Buffy nodded quickly and then urged for Willow to go on with her story. “Anyway, she came over for our movie/ice cream night, and she was showing me how to really center yourself, you know, she’s Wiccan and has been teaching me, and then we…kissed.”

“Then…?” Buffy prompted. She pushed past her surprise at hearing they’d kissed to let Willow finish her story.

“Then…I might’ve gotten a little freaked out. I mean, I just never realized… so she left,” Willow finished feeling a little ashamed.

“And you haven’t talked since?”

Willow shook her head negative. “I’ve been too nervous. And it made me doubt things with Oz. I mean, I kissed Tara! In case you haven’t noticed, she’s a girl! I can’t figure it out. I like Oz, but I think I like Tara too.”

Buffy fiddled with a can of paint sitting on a shelf. “You need to talk to Tara,” she announced. “She’s confused too. And when I asked her what was going on, she just said it wasn’t her place to tell.”

“You talked to her?” Willow asked, hopefulness seeping into her voice.

“Yeah. She’s not mad, at least I don’t think so,” Buffy told the redhead.

Willow once again nibbled on her lower lip. “What if she is?”

“You don’t know until you ask,” Buffy said with a shrug as the bell rang.

Willow’s eyes widened comically and she nearly ran out of the closet. “Goddess, I’m going to be late!”

*********

After finally confessing to Willow about her not-so-platonic feelings for Spike, Buffy felt much better. Plus, Willow had handled it better than she thought she would have, probably because of her own dilemma with Tara.

Buffy wandered out of her class towards the lunch room. She spotted Xander and Wes already sitting there, talking and eating.

She plopped her tray down across from Xander. “Hey, what’s up?”

Wes and Xander exchanged glances. “Nothin’! What’s new with you, Buffster?” His jittery movements immediately got Buffy’s attention.

“Okay,” she began slowly, pulling out her lunch. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing!” Xander repeated and then added, “Well…have you seen Anya?”

Buffy gave him a shake of her head and a sympathetic smile. “No, not yet, but I’m sure she’ll be here soon.” A slight white lie, but Buffy didn’t feeling like rehashing the Xander/Anya issue. She nibbled on her sandwich, feeling guilty at Xander’s dejected look.

“Maybe,” the blonde ventured, “you could talk to her, you know, figure things out.”

“What out?” Xander looked like a confused little puppy.

“Aren’t you guys…fighting?” Buffy asked hesitantly, glancing at Wesley for confirmation.

Xander’s eyes widened and he slammed his fist on the table. “Dammit! That’s why she’s avoiding me!”

Buffy chose not to say anything as Xander angrily jabbed his mystery meat. “Why does she automatically expect me to know these things?” He asked rhetorically.

Wesley and Buffy once again exchanged looks. She was about to say something, anything to diffuse the silence, when Fred sat down next to her. The brunette’s tray was piled high with fries and a burger.

Her face reddened at Buffy’s surprised look. “I’m hungry,” she said defensively and whipped out her notebook. She kissed Wesley on the cheek and grinned at him sweetly. The gesture made Buffy feel a little, well, lonely.

Seconds later, Willow slid in next to Xander, her face glum. Her bagged lunch sat on the table, untouched and she stared off pensively.

“Wills.” Xander waved a hand in front of his best friend’s face without any response. “Wills!”

This time Willow’s head jerked up and she blinked. “Huh?”

“Have you seen Anya?” Xander asked anxiously.

Willow’s posture relaxed slightly and she surveyed the lunchroom. “No, I haven’t seen her since third…” the redhead trailed off, her jaw dropping.

Everyone turned to see what Willow was gaping at and spotted Anya standing a few tables down, smiling and laughing with one of the guy’s from the football team. It was crystal clear that they were flirting, especially when Anya reached out to touch his shoulder.

“Ryan James?” Fred’s nose crinkled. “I can’t believe…” she halted, sparing a glance at a dumbstruck Xander. “Sorry,” she whispered.

Buffy and Willow watched Xander carefully as his jaw clenched tightly. He stood up, rattling the table before walking towards off into the opposite direction. Willow quickly jumped up, grabbed her backpack and chased after him.

“Well,” Wes said warily. “That was slightly awkward.”

That doesn’t even begin to cover it, Buffy thought, feeling sorry for Xander. She went back to her lunch, eating quietly. Wesley and Fred, after a few minutes, started talking about some scientific journal, leaving Buffy deep in thought.

Why were relationships so sucky anyway? She wondered, toying with her carrots. And what the hell was she doing with Spike?

“’ello, Summers.”

Speak of the devil. Buffy’s head shot up, her eyes round as saucers. “Uh…what are you doing here, Spike?” She asked pointedly.

Fred and Wesley’s conversation came to a stop as they watched the conversation in front of them.

“Mind if I eat lunch with you today, ducks?”

“Uh…” Buffy was literally speechless.

“Thanks, luv.” He shot her a quick, tingling grin.

“Right, sure.” Her voice sounded far away to her ears.

Spike chewed on his chicken wings and fries, coating them in ketchup. He held up a limp fry and offered it to Buffy. “Want one?”

“Sure,” Buffy managed and reached out to take it when Spike leaned in to feed it to her. To avoid looking like a total spaz, Buffy opened her mouth quickly, chomping it viciously. She sent a death glare his way, but Spike easily deflected it, smirking back at her.

Meanwhile, Wesley and Fred were gaping at their interactions. “Uh…” Fred cleared her throat. “Wes and I are gonna go…do something.”

Fred stood up, Wes following with their trays.

“Later, mate,” Spike called out as the walked down Science wing. He turned to Buffy with a wicked grin, and promptly received a kick under the table.

“What’s the matter with you?” She hissed.

Spike’s eyes rolled like triple cherries. “Relax, goldilocks. They don’t suspect anything.”

Buffy just pouted. It didn’t matter, Fred already knew about the lusty feelings and no doubt she’d tell Wes, who’d tell Gunn or Xander, and somehow it’d get to Anya, then Cordelia…and then they were screwed.

The bell rang, startling Buffy. She moved to grab her lunch bag when Spike, with a glance around them, shot forward, kissing her swift and memorably on the lips.

“Later, goldilocks.”
Thankful by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks to my speedy beta, don't know what I'd do without her!

And thanks for all the great reviews, glad you're enjoy the story!
Chapter 29: Thankful


“Turkey: check. Canned cranberry sauce: check. Stuffing mix: check. Cheese: check, check, check.” Buffy happily smiled down at the three blocks of cheese.

“Honestly, Buffy, do we really need this much cheese?” Joyce asked, unloading the rest of the groceries.

“Of course!” Buffy replied defensively. “What would a holiday be without cheese?”

“A bloody holiday,” Spike supplied in a ‘duh’ tone of voice as he walked in.

Buffy gave him a glare and then returned back to her list. “Moving on.” She continued reading off her mother’s list and scolding Spike for eating the blueberries.

“Well,” Joyce announced, placing the last can of cranberry sauce in the pantry. “We’re finally done unpacking. I’m going upstairs and watching Oprah.”

“Okay,” Buffy replied, peering into the pantry for the Oreos. As soon as Joyce’s feet pattering faded away, a pair of arms tugged her from behind.

Spike spun Buffy around so she was facing him and trapped between his arms. Buffy’s eyes flickered over his smooth muscles. Gulp.

He leaned into her, molding the hard contours of his body into hers. His lips were centimeters away from hers, when Buffy pulled back with a glower. “A bloody holiday?” She echoed accusingly.

“Come on, Summers. Your obsession with cheese is ridiculous.”

Buffy pouted, trying to duck out of his arms. “No, it’s not.”

Spike stopped her easily, eyeing her jutted lip hungrily. “I love that lip when you pout. It’s so…” he trailed off, leaning in to kiss said lip. However, Buffy once again averted his kiss.

“Spike,” she hissed. “What the hell? She’s right upstairs!”

“So,” Spike said slowly. “Don’t talk.” He snatched her lips in a heated kiss before Buffy could protest once more.

With a sigh of defeat, her lips enthusiastically replied, their mouths fusing together. Spike’s hands wandered up to the dip of her waist, curling tightly.

His knee wedged itself between her legs, pulling the pair closer as Buffy’s hands ran up his back.

“We gotta stop.” Her words were muffled in Spike’s mouth. Whether he was ignoring her or letting her talk, Spike moved to trail kisses up and down her jaw and neck.

“Seriously,” she mumbled. Why was what he was doing feeling so nice? She wondered mindlessly. Finally, she managed to push him off just as his fingers traced the outline of her bra. “God!” She hissed. “You’re, like, all freaking hands!”

Spike just grinned at her, placing a final chaste kiss on her lips. “Come with me, luv.”

Buffy gave him a suspicious look. “Where?”

His hand shot out, grasping her tinier one. “Surprise.”

“I hate surprises,” Buffy informed him with a grumble. Her stomach fluttered as he tugged her out the door.

“Mum!” Spike shouted loudly, his body already half out the door. “Buffy and I are going out for lunch.”

“Okay,” Joyce replied cheerfully.

Buffy’s mouth dropped at her mother’s complete brain lapse. Didn’t she remember that she and Spike were generally very unmixy? Except when they were making out, but she definitely didn’t know that. Wait, what did he just call her mother?

“Mum?” Buffy squealed indignantly, her nose wrinkled.

Spike slid into his seat, turning the engine on. “Oh, come off it,” he told her with a scoff. “And get in, goldilocks.”

She couldn’t say no. A huff escaped her lips as Spike backed out of the driveway, turning onto Revello Dr. “That’s just…wrong.”

“What?”

“You calling my mom ‘mum’,” Buffy explained further. She refused to make eye contact with Spike, and picked at her nails.

Spike’s annoyance practically radiated. “It doesn’t mean a bloody thing.”

“It’s still weird,” Buffy countered, flexing her fingers. When Spike didn’t respond, she risked a glance at him. His eyes were solely focused on the road. “Whatever,” she quickly added casually. “It’s not like we’re dating.”

Spike slowed at the stoplight, and turned to face her, meeting Buffy’s gaze head on. “I won’t. If you don’t want me callin’ Joyce ‘mum’ I won’t.”

Buffy blinked, trying to hide her surprise. “Okay.” She faced forward. “Green light.”

************

“Here?” Buffy questioned incredulously. It was none other than Spike’s favorite dive of a diner he’d taken her after she’d beat him the first time.

Spike opened the door for her; a gesture that made Buffy’s jaw drop, and led her to the very same booth.

Buffy picked up the plastic menu, eyeing the lunch prospects. “I can’t believe you brought me back here,” she commented.

He gave her that annoyingly hot smirk-like grin of his. “Of course. It’s where we official declared our mutual hatred of each other.”

“Ha ha,” Buffy replied sarcastically. What did that mean? She wondered. They still hated each other?

“Figured,” Spike continued, “this would be a nice place to declare our mutual not-hatred of each other.”

O-kay, what did that mean?

“Summers.” Spike’s voice was so low and serious that Buffy had to look up. “I don’t hate you.”

For a moment Buffy stared at Spike blankly, before her lips twitched. “Spike.” Her voice was equally serious. “Shut up.” Despite her annoyed look, the little grin lingered, and so did Spike’s.

“Ready to order?” The waitress, not Doris, but equally fond of make-up, questioned.

Spike exhaled and rattled off his long order. “Chocolate pancakes, bacon extra crispy, orange juice, hash browns, eggs sunny-side up and some wings.”

Buffy’s nose crinkled in distaste. “Buffalo wings?”

“What?” Spike said defensively. “They taste good. Now bloody order, will you?”

With a sigh, Buffy placed her simpler order of eggs and two pieces of bacon. The waitress snapped her booklet shut and stomped off to the next table.

“So, Thanksgiving,” Spike began slowly, stirring his water.

“Aunt Anne,” Buffy replied with a scowl.

“Yeah, Dad mentioned her,” Spike commented with a glance. “And isn’t she your great-aunt?”

“Yeah, but she insist that we call her Aunt Anne, so she doesn’t sound old.” Buffy snorted. “But please… she’s ancient! And evil.”

“Come on, luv,” Spike cajoled. “She can’t be that bad.”

“She is,” Buffy said emphatically, sipping her own water. “She once told me I was a sinner because I wore a skirt shorter than my knees.”

Spike sniggered. “Imagine what she’d think if she saw you in the lake at the beach house.”

Did he have to bring that up? Her face burned. “Let’s not go there.”

“Well.” Spike’s voice was husky and he reached out, his fingers dancing over hers. “It’s not like I minded.”

Her stomach flopped over sending sparks through her body. Oh boy. “You’re a guy. You’re, like, programmed to think that,” she told him flippantly.

His burning ice eyes caught hers. “Trust me, goldilocks. No one has quite affected me the way you have.” She knew there was a deeper meaning behind his words, but very carefully sidestepped it.

“Annoyed you to death?” She suggested with an all-too-sweet grin.

Spike chuckled. “Not exactly, pet.” His fingers were caressing her hand and wrist now. She glanced down at their intertwined fingers, the golden, small hand and the larger, pale one with chipping black painted nails.

Buffy studied him, turning serious. “Who was your first serious girlfriend?” She asked, inquisitive.

“Her name was Drusilla, but you probably know that,” Spike told her with a raise of his scarred eyebrow.

“Kinda,” Buffy acknowledged. “What happened?”

“What? You don’t know that too?” Spike mocked her, but at the glare he received, sighed and continued speaking. “Dru was dating half of Sunnyhell and I got tired of it.”

“Liar,” Buffy accused. He definitely wasn’t telling her the whole truth.

Spike’s eyes narrowed. “Yeah, so? It’s not like you’ve been all upfront about your relationships.”

Damn, Buffy thought. He had her. “Well,” she struggled to justify herself. “I asked you first.”

“I asked you second,” Spike countered.

Buffy scoffed. “What does that have to do with anything?” She demanded loudly as the waitress set down their food.

“Oh,” Buffy said, feeling embarrassed. “Sorry.”

Spike dug into his pancakes eagerly, coating them with hot syrup. “Point is,” he said between bites, “I’m not the only one with issues.”

Buffy scowled at her eggs. “I don’t have issues.”

“Summers,” Spike told her clearly, “everybody bloody person on this soddin’ green earth has issues.”

Buffy wasn’t sure how to respond to that. Nibbling on her eggs, she avoided looking over at Spike. Having issues was one topic that made her want to flee in the opposite direction. “You still haven’t answered my question,” she pointed out after a long pause.

“And you haven’t answered mine, luv,” Spike countered, swallowing a mouthful of bacon.

Buffy huffed. “Fine. Whatever.” She angrily jabbed her eggs. Why was she getting worked up about it anyway? Willow had already told her everything that had happened in the past spring. “Let’s hear it.” She gestured for him to begin.

“Dru was…let’s put it this way, she was off her bleedin’ rocker.” Spike leaned back a little, buffalo wing in hand. “She was all ‘sunshine,’ and ‘the stars speak to me, my darling’ and rot like that. At the time, it was the most enthralling thing I’d ever heard.”

“You loved her,” Buffy stated more than questioned.

Spike gave her a look. “Obviously. I was a bloody idiot around her. She changed me.”

“How?” Buffy questioned, curious.

Spike sighed and reluctantly explained. “I was a geek, a bookworm. The kind of git the Parkers of the world liked to torment. Dru changed me from that bumbling idiot; she freed me. She knew how much I loved her, so she cheated on me with my best friend and made sure I got a nice visual.”

Buffy’s brow knitted tight. “Why would she do that?”

“Because underneath that helpless rich girl façade she puts on, she’s just a mind fucker.”

Buffy bit her lip at Spike’s frank comment. “Who was your best friend?”

“Doesn’t matter,” Spike muttered. “He sure as fuck isn’t my friend anymore.” There was a pause, and Buffy took the opportunity to finish her eggs. She felt bad for Spike. He loved Drusilla and instead she threw it back in his face. Maybe they had that in common, falling for sucky people.

“Now it’s your turn, Summers,” Spike announced with a forewarning look. “And don’t even think about trying to back out.”

Buffy huffed a little and prolonged having to tell him by fiddling with her food. Finally Spike snapped, slapping his hand over hers, snatching her fork away mid-bite. “Out with it.”

“Fine,” she grumbled, worrying her lip. This was so freaking hard. “Okay, my first boyfriend was Jason in 6th grade. He broke up with me for Cassidy because she would French kiss him.” She knew she was being an ass, but telling Spike about Angel made everything all too real.

“Summers,” Spike warned. “We had a deal, pet. Unless you’re just a skinny little chicken.”

“Shut up,” she said and then sighed. “His name was Angel. I met him when my life was a mess. He was…perfect. I loved him, he died, the end.” This wasn’t the kind of story that she was supposed to just shrug off like it was no big deal, and clearly Spike thought so, because he reached out, touching her neck, letting his hand trail down to her fingertips.

“Don’t,” he told her seriously.

That single word snapped her carefully maintained control. “What do you want me to say?” She exploded loudly. “That I loved him so much it hurt? That when I found out he’d died I cried so hard I didn’t think I would stop? That he was cheating on his wife for god’s sake? That-“ A half-gasp half-sob caught in her throat. “Jesus, I’m sorry. God.” Embarrassment made her cheeks flame.

Spike shifted over to her side of the bench. “Summers.” He simply said her name in a low voice and stroked her arm.

She was shaking. God, she was actually shaking. It came in waves, she noticed. She went over a month without this: the overwhelming sadness and confusion, and then bam! It came out of nowhere, drowning her.

“You all right?” Spike asked.

Buffy nodded, calming down. She was grateful he wasn’t pushing. “Too much coffee,” she explained lamely and Spike granted her a small grin.

“Home?”

“God yes. I’ve officially freaked out the whole restaurant,” Buffy replied, standing up and darting for the door.

A minute later, Spike appeared and unlocked the door. They slid in, and Buffy’s butt fell into cold leather. She shivered, rubbing her hands together, waiting for Spike to start the engine.

By the time they were just pulling into the driveway, Buffy mustered the courage to say a single word. “Thanks.”

“Don’t thank me, Summers. Makes me feel like a choirboy,” Spike replied with a slight scowl as he got out, slamming the car door shut. To her surprise, he walked around and opened her door like a proper gentleman.

Buffy followed him inside with a small smirk on her lips. Maybe there really was more to Spike Giles than she thought.

***********************

“…for our family, friends and the food on our table. Amen,” Giles finished. In an instant, the room was filled with chatter and dishes were being passed around.

Spike and Buffy were sitting next to each other and across from Joyce and the dreaded Aunt Anne. Giles, as tradition told, sat at the top of the table, keeping the platters moving.

“Mmm…’s good, Joyce,” Spike complimented with a genuine smile.

Buffy felt like puking. He’d been putting on the ‘good boy’ routine all morning and afternoon, even wearing normal black pants and a black button down with actual shoes not boots. Not the Spike she knew for sure.

“Yeah, mom, it’s good,” Buffy added, kicking Spike in the calf. He shot her a smirk and shoved a large spoonful of mashed potatoes in his mouth.

“The turkey is a bit dry, though,” Aunt Anne commented primly, cutting her turkey slowly with her frail fingers.

Buffy resisted the urge to roll her eyes. All afternoon her great-aunt had been the absolute worse. Insulting Spike’s hair, insulting Giles’s accent and now the turkey, and, as usual, making constant commentaries about Buffy.

“And Buffy dear,” Aunt Anne began, and Buffy internally groaned for the hundredth time. “You’re slouching.”

Buffy straightened with an irritable glare. She jabbed her turkey and ate a piece. It was perfectly moist and delicious, she thought furiously. She wondered if she could just knock her aunt out for the evening.

Her mother and aunt continued their discussion, which Giles joined shortly after, while Buffy and Spike sat their eating in silence.

“See,” she muttered under her breath, “I told you she was evil. God, I’m bored.”

She noticed that her comment had spurred a mischievous, slightly hidden grin on Spike’s lips. That was never good. Suddenly, Buffy felt a hand resting on her knee. Oh no.

The hand started making slow circles on her bare knee, and then leisurely inched under her above-the-knee velvet skirt. Her breath hitched as Spike’s hand crept under the skirt, tugging it up higher. Oh God.

Now her skirt was halfway up her thigh and Spike’s hand moving with it. The instant his hand hit the side of her panties, she let out a louder gasp, but not quite loud enough to gather attention, thank god.

Spike’s grin widened as he ran his hand down between her legs, drawing those circles on the inside of her thigh. Her breathing picked up its pace and she looked straight ahead, attempting control.

Every nerve in her body was heightened, her panties moist with desire. Control, she reminded herself. Control.

In an unexpected motion, Spike thumb brushed against her core, grazing against her clit. Buffy’s hand slapped down on the table and she let out an “Oh!”

Spike pulled his hand back, biting his lip in effort not to burst into laughter as all three adults turned to look at Buffy.

For the third time in the last two days, Buffy’s face was the color of a tomato. “Uh…” She coughed. “Wrong pipe.”

Her aunt surveyed her with a snobbish look. “Buffy, sweetheart, perhaps you should learn a more…refined way of excusing yourself.”

Buffy’s body tensed in annoyance. “Sure,” she gritted out. As soon as the three returned to their conversation, Buffy sent Spike a glare accompanied by a kick.

She could still feel her core tingling with anticipation, and dammit, she wanted it. But every rational instinct in her mind told her to stop and wait. She wasn’t ready for sex. Maybe she wasn’t a virgin, but it was still a big deal to her, Angel had definitely solidified that for her.

Too bad she couldn’t stop the XXX-rated sex dreams.

Spike leaned over to whisper in her ear. “Meet me out back.”

Buffy definitely wanted to get away, fast. She glanced at everyone’s plate, mostly empty, and then stood up. “May I be excused?” She tried for her most charming smile.

“Me too,” Spike added with his own charming look.

Joyce hesitated and then nodded. “Dessert is in a half-hour,” she told them. “So don’t go anywhere.”

“We won’t,” they said in harmony and carried their dishes to the sink.

Alone, Spike reached into his pocket in pulled out a joint. “Figured you might be tense.”

In more ways than one, Buffy thought, but refused to say out loud. She stared at the joint and then sighed in defeat. “This is what Aunt Anne drives me to,” she grumbled and Spike, with a happy smirk, stepped out the back door and fished out his lighter. Buffy trailed behind and shut the door.

Spike took the first hit and passed it over to Buffy who drew in deep. She just wanted a nice buzz, not get high.

As he took the joint back, Spike gave her a look. “Didn’t think you’d smoke with your athletic tendencies,” he commented.

“Blame my cousin,” Buffy replied, taking the joint again. And my asshole of a father, and my once really fucked up life, but she’d already done way too much confessing this week, no need for more.

“Isn’t she coming to visit?” Spike questioned.

“Yeah…” She was cut off her cell phone. Buffy flipped it open and saw “Willow” flashing on the screen.

“Hey Willow,” Buffy greeted and listened as Willow rambled about her non-thanksgiving dinner.

“So,” she finished, “where’re you?”

“Outside with Spike, hiding from my evil aunt,” Buffy answered. “Listen, I’ll call you back.” She took a quick hit from the joint before saying goodbye and hanging up.

“Willow?” Spike asked, even though he knew.

“Yep, her family is going protesting against the new culture building,” Buffy answered and Spike chuckled.

Buffy laughed a little, kicking at the dirt with her shoe. When she looked up, Spike was standing in front of her. “Thank you,” she told him. “I needed that.” She motioned the joint.

Spike kissed her sweetly, his lips tasting of smoky weed. “You’re welcome.”
Limit by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews and enjoy the chapter! Many thanks to my awesome beta.
Chapter 30: Limit


Sunday afternoon, Buffy was sitting cross-legged on her bed, working on her chemistry homework with her headphones in her ears blasting Spike’s Sex Pistols CD. She was dressed in yoga pants and a tank top, her feet bare.

At the loud knock on her door, Buffy pulled an earphone out. “Come in.”

Spike opened the door. “Hey, Summers.”

“Hey,” Buffy replied, giving him a brief smile before turning back to her homework.

“My dad and your mum are gone,” Spike continued, leaning against the doorframe.

“I know,” Buffy said while punching in a problem in her graphing calculator. She made no move to invite Spike in, which made him puzzled.

“What’s wrong?” He questioned, cocking his head.

“Nothing,” she responded, not taking her eyes off her notebook. When Spike didn’t leave his spot at her door, she sighed. “How often do you smoke?”

“Weed?”

At Buffy’s nod, he continued, “Not often, Thursday was…well, I thought you could use it. I used to smoke a lot more when I was with Dru, since she was always high as a kite.” Spike answered, frowning a little. “Why?”

Buffy spun herself so her feet were dangling over the edge of her bed, and she looked up at Spike. “I really shouldn’t have been smoking with you. I’m trying to avoid all of my old bad habits, and that was definitely one of them.”

Spike crossed his arms over his chest. “You didn’t say anything.” His tone was slightly accusing.

“Now I am,” Buffy said honestly. “Pot was like a crutch for me last year. I don’t want to be that girl again.”

“Okay,” Spike acknowledged simply after a moment of silence.

“You’re not…disappointed or anything?” Buffy asked, raising her eyebrows.

Spike looked confused. “Why would I be disappointed? That’s bloody ridiculous, luv. It’s your own decision, and I certainly don’t hate you for it.”

A sigh of relief escaped her. “Good.” She stood up and walked towards him. Instantly, his hands went to her sides, pulling her close. She tilted her head up, readily accepting his kiss.

This was nice, she decided.

Their kiss became more heated, and Buffy found herself up against the wall, her shoulder blade digging into the light switch. Not that she cared too much. Spike’s hands were pleasantly traveling up her stomach, her shirt shifting up. She was wearing a flimsy bra, which was easily slipped up over her breasts.

“Hmmm,” Buffy let out a contented sigh as Spike’s lips traveled to the dip of her neck and his hands caressed her breasts softly. Hearing her murmur of encouragement, Spike flicked her left nipple, hardening it to a stiff peak.

As he continued to manipulate her breasts, Buffy reached forward, attempting to tug of his shirt. When he realized what she was doing, he un-suctioned his lips from her neck and threw it off. Instantaneously, Buffy’s hands roamed over his hard chest and abs, nearly groaning at the feel. She’d always been a suck for abs. “God,” she breathed, whether from the touch of his hands or from the feel of his skin.

Spike returned to his task at hand. “Mm, pet, you taste so fucking good.” He moaned against her neck, sending thrills down Buffy’s spine. They were pressed tightly together, and she could now feel Spike’s evidence of arousal. The knowledge was like a splash of cold water. How very close they were made her a little uneasy. Especially when Spike’s hand ran along the waistband of her pants.

Luckily, they jumped apart at the sound of the door opening and her mother calling out, “Buffy! Spike! We’re home!”

The two locked eyes for a moment, before Spike’s gaze drifted to her shirt and bra bunched around her armpits, her breasts bare for his viewing. Giving him a slight glare for his smirk, she yanked them down. “Jeez, don’t just stand there!” She hissed.

“I’m going,” he shot back, and with a grin kissed her quickly before tugging his shirt back on and going back to his respective room.

Buffy flopped back on her bed, closing her eyes. Heat and desire made her ache, and part of her wished her mother and Giles hadn’t returned. The smarter half disagreed. If being uneasy while making out was any clue, Buffy knew she wasn’t ready for sex. Right now, at least.

A knock prompted Buffy to hop off her bed and open the door. “Hey mom,” she greeted with an innocent, she hoped, smile.

“Hi,” Joyce responded, peering into her daughter’s room. “Is everything okay?”

“Yep,” Buffy answered cheerfully. “Why?”

“No one picked up the phone when we called about ten minutes ago,” Joyce replied, her brow creased.

“Oh, I probably didn’t hear it through my headphones,” Buffy lied. It was better the lie though, she thought, than saying “I was too busy making out with Spike.”

Joyce shook her head teasingly. “I should have known.”

Unwittingly, a nervous laugh escaped her lips. “Yep. Those darn earphones.”

A smile lingered on Joyce’s face. “Well, I talked to Faith’s mom, and everything’s set. She’ll be here in two weeks from Wednesday. It’ll be after the holiday party at the gallery, so it won’t be too stressful around here.”

“Good,” Buffy nodded, feeling excited. “Thank you, mom.” At first, the initial prospect of dropping Faith in the middle of Sunnydale was ridiculous, but then Buffy warmed up to the idea. Faith always promised a goodtime.

“You’re welcome,” Joyce replied, sounding pleased. “Now, if you help unload the groceries, I’ll see what I can do about making some brownies…”

“Done,” Buffy said quickly, shooting off her bed and running down the stairs.

**************

Two days later, Buffy dragged herself out of bed at 6:45, and stumbled into the bathroom. She’d gotten too used to sleeping in, she thought with a whimper, and now she had to go back to school. “Stupid school,” she muttered, washing her hands.

Seconds later, someone pounded heavily on the door. “Come on, Summers. I gotta piss.” Spike, of course.

“I’ll be out in a second,” Buffy snapped, drying off her face. She yanked the door open, and let out a muffled yelp as Spike swooped in, placing a morning-breath kiss on her lips.

“Ugh,” she grumbled, wiping her mouth. Spike firmly kissed her again, and with a slight push, got her out of the bathroom and shut the door, locking it.

Outrage made her mouth drop open. “Hey, that’s cheating!”

“What’s cheating?”

Buffy spun to see her mother poking her head around her door. “Uh…” think fast. “He just… pushed me.”

Joyce sighed. “Honestly you two,” she shook her head tiredly. “I’ll call later. Rupert and I are going out for dinner.”

“Okay,” Buffy managed, backing up to her room. “Have fun.”

Joyce smiled quickly. “Have a good day,” she responded, closing her bedroom door.

Relief washed over her as she shut her own door. Damn, that was close. She couldn’t help but wonder if she’d be able to avoid those incidents in the future quite so easily.

****************

The school day dragged by, but Buffy was happy to see her friends again, and was eager to talk to Willow—alone. They hung around the fountain, enjoying the crisp but sunny whether, while Xander glared daggers at Anya and her new boy toy James. Wes and Fred were happily talking about a movie they wanted to see, and Buffy and Willow were playing “Anywhere But Here.”

“Your turn,” Willow announced after her detailed description.

“Um…” Buffy paused, thinking hard. She had honestly exhausted all of her fantasy dates. The only one left was the very, very naughty dream about her, Spike, and edible lotion. “Actually,” she lowered her voice, “let’s walk to class.” She prayed Willow caught her deeper meaning.

Willow’s eyebrows shot up, and she nodded quickly. “Okay.”

As soon as they were out of earshot, the redhead leaned in, a little jumpy. “What’s wrong?”

Buffy tugged her friend’s arm, pulling her off to the side. “Have you talked to Tara or Oz?”

Immediately, Willow fidgeted, a sure sign she was going to lie or stretch the truth. “I…well…it was a busy weekend and I was in LA…”

“Bullshit,” Buffy accused bluntly.

“I was!” Willow protested unconvincingly. “Okay…I didn’t,” she finally admitted.

“Wills,” Buffy began firmly, “you need to talk to them, both of them. You can’t avoid your problem forever and hope it goes away.”

“Why not?” Willow asked almost childishly.

Buffy laughed a little. “You know why. Besides, it’s not far to Oz or you. Or even Tara. Just…talk to them. It’ll make everything better.”

With a look of hesitant determination, Willow nodded. “I know. Thanks,” she said gratefully.

“Good,” Buffy said with a nod of her own. “Now-“

She was cut off in surprise as her cell phone rang in her jacket pocket. “Hello?” She answered uncertainly.

“Yo, B,” Faith’s tired voice crackled over the line.

A relaxed smile flittered across Buffy’s face. “Hey, F,” she replied. “What’s up?”

“Just calling my favorite ‘cuz,” Faith responded with a yawn. “Bitch.”

Buffy knew exactly what the name was for. “Sorry,” she apologized. “I know I haven’t really talked to you, but I’ve been super busy.” No one made her babble like Faith did.

“Fuck you,” Faith replied, but half-heartedly. “I’m five by five. So, your mom and my mom have concocted a plan for me to visit your new little town of Sunny-what-the-fuck.”

“Dale,” Buffy corrected with a grin. “And I’m glad you’re coming.”

“Yeah, me too,” Faith said in a rare moment of tenderness. Then she shifted rapidly. “Any hotties?”

Buffy let out a bark of laughter. “Oh yeah. Call me later, I gotta go to class.”

“Later, B,” Faith said, and the phone clicked, signaling the end of the call.

Buffy slid her phone back into her pocket, and turned to a curious Willow. “Was that Faith?” She asked.

“Yep. She’s psyched to meet you guys,” Buffy answered, stretching Faith’s words.

“Cool,” Willow chirped. “Winter break will be so much fun. Oh! We’ll go to the Bronze on the half-day, and when Faith comes in.”

Buffy gave her friend a look. “If you promise to talk to Tara and Oz.”

Willow’s expression fell, but she agreed. “I will, promise.”

“Good, ‘cause I’m planning on a stress-free break, which means a guilt-free Willow,” Buffy warned.

“One guilt-free Willow coming up,” the redhead mock saluted. At the sound of the bell, both girls shot off to their respective classrooms. Oh no, Buffy thought glumly, she was so gonna be late.
Thin Line by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
Enjoy and thanks to my beta and reviewers!!
Chapter 31: Thin Line


“A holiday party?” Fred repeated, watching as Buffy searched through the piles of clothes on her floor.

“Yep, and I have nothing, absolutely nothing to wear,” the blonde whined and flopped back on her bed.

“What about buying something new?” Fred suggested, toying with Mr. Gordo.

Buffy turned her head, and gave Fred a look. “I’m still paying for the last something new.” With a sigh, she straightened, staring down at the mess. “I’m screwed.”

Fred stood up, walking over to the near empty closet. Her long wavy hair fell down her back against her slight frame. She reached up and tugged a lone dress of its hook. “What about this?”

The dress was low cut, which was why it had remained in the closet, but in the light, Buffy saw that it was cherry red, silky and long enough to hit just at her knee-a respectable enough length.

“Is it too…sexy? I don’t wanna scream at my mom’s holiday party: ‘Look at me! I’m Slutty Buffy!’”

The brunette let out a small laugh. “You won’t. Besides, it’s festive.”

Nibbling on her bottom lip, Buffy stood up, taking the dress from Fred. “Do you think…” she trailed off, touching the fabric.

“What?” Fred urged curiously.

Turning almost shy, Buffy mumbled, “Nothing. It’s great. Plus, my mom thinks all of her buyer’s have the cutest, nicest sons, so I’ll impress them too.”

“Buffy.” At the tone of Fred’s voice, Buffy’s shoulders slumped.

“I was wondering…do you think…Spike’ll like it?” She murmured the last three words quietly.

Giggling, Fred gently shoved the blonde. “Duh.”

A small grin broke out on Buffy’s face. “Yeah, I know. He wouldn’t even care if I showed up naked.”

Fred’s grin widened. “I bet he’d definitely notice,” she said teasingly, and Buffy swatted her.

“Shut up,” she replied. A pinkish color blossomed on her cheeks. Buffy wasn’t really a blushing kind of girl—well, normally.

Buffy stood in front of the mirror, holding the dress up to her frame. The small grin reappeared. “I like it.”

*******************

“Fuck,” Buffy swore as the small backing of her earring slipped out of her grip. Tugging her dress up, she bent over, feeling the carpeting for the metal piece. She kept a firm grip on the gold dewdrops and single backing, and seconds later, successfully located the missing one.

After slipping both earrings in, Buffy glanced at her reflection, touching her glossed lips briefly. They shimmered a reddish color, matching her dress, which flowed prettily to her just-shaved knees. Black heels finished the outfit, exposing her matching red toenails.

“Summers!” She heard Spike practically bellow from the bottom the stairs. “We’re leaving!”

She refused to get annoyed and just smirked deviously, knowing her hard work would pay off when Spike saw her. Fred was right; Spike would definitely appreciate the red dress.

Grabbing her small clutch, Buffy flung open her bedroom door. “I’m coming!” She yelled back, making her way down the stairs.

At the bottom, a fidgeting Spike stood, tugging at his collar with a scowl. His platinum hair was slicked back, contrasting with his dark suit. Hot pretty much summed up Buffy’s reaction.

“Hey,” she said, almost softly.

Spike glanced up briefly, and did a double take. His gaze fixated on the sloping plunge of her neckline to her naked, golden legs. “You a…” he found himself speechless.

“Thanks,” Buffy replied, hinting sarcasm.

Spike’s eyes snapped up to hers. “You look beautiful, luv.” His words were a whisper as he leaned close, leaving a soft, lingering kiss on her lips.

“Buffy? William?” The pair jumped apart as Joyce hurried into the foyer. “Oh good, you’re both ready.” Her eyes fell to her daughter with a smile. “You look lovely, Buffy.”

Joyce turned to Spike. “Doesn’t she look lovely?” She repeated for conformation.

“Yeah,” Spike replied nonchalantly, but kept his gaze on Buffy, giving her hint of a genuine smile.

She smiled back, enjoying the compliment. “Thanks, Mom.” Her eyes locked with Spike’s.

“Is everyone ready?” Giles questioned as he walked into the foyer as well. He glanced over at Buffy with a smile. “You look very nice, dear.”

“Thanks,” she replied. “I’m ready.”

“Ready,” Spike confirmed, tugging at his shirtsleeve. He paused for a moment, waiting for Giles and Joyce to walk ahead, and stepped in stride with Buffy, letting his fingers graze against hers.

A zing shot through Buffy, excitement growing. With a dress like this, how wrong could the evening go?

************

“…And this is my daughter, Buffy,” Joyce finished, gesturing to her right.

Buffy gave the older couple a strained smile. This had been the fourth time in the last half hour her mother had introduced her to clients. At first it had been kind of sweet, since Buffy hadn’t been living with her the previous year, but now…well, it was boring.

“Nice to meet you. Mom, I think I’m gonna go get a drink,” she told Joyce with another blinding smile.

“Okay sweetie,” Joyce replied, and then linked her arm in the older woman’s. “Millie, you just have to see the new tribal collection I got last week, it’s marvelous.”

With a relieved sigh, Buffy made her escape, grabbing a cup of soda. She stood by the food and drinks, trying to look occupied. Truthfully, she didn’t recognize anyone; it was mostly older-than-her crowd with the occasional teen. Spike had disappeared almost as soon as they stepped in. So much for support.

“Hey luv.” Speak of the devil, Buffy thought wryly.

“Hey,” Buffy repeated, sipping her soda. “Where’d you go?”

Spike leaned in close, so not to be overheard. “Gunn called, and then Mark and I went to have a smoke.”

“Mark?” Buffy’s nose wrinkled in confusion. She temporarily ignored the smoking thing. Spike certainly wasn’t a daily smoker, but he seemed to have a habit of smoking a cigarette sometimes.

“Bloke over there,” Spike gestured with his chin. Buffy followed his gaze to a guy around there age with reddish brown hair sitting next to a girl with ash blonde hair.

“Who are they?” Buffy asked, edging a little closer to Spike. After a moment, she could feel his hand tracing light circles against her bareback.

“Some friends of your mum’s kids,” Spike responded. “Met them over the summer when Joyce had a party.”

“Oh.” Buffy tried to come up with a more original reply, but Spike’s hand was distracting her.

Suddenly, she reached out, grabbing a flute of champagne and gulped it quickly, setting down on the table.

Spike cocked that scarred eyebrow. “You all right, luv?” His hand dipped lower.

“Fine,” Buffy answered quickly, almost annoyed at how Spike affected her with a near-tame touch. “Let’s go say hi,” she suggested and made her way to the pair sitting.

Spike followed, his face tinged with amusement. “Mark, Allie,” he greeted. “This is Buffy, Joyce’s daughter.”

Allie grinned up at Buffy. “Hey. Nice to meet you.”

Mark was less vocal. He just nodded in her direction, and continued playing with the string in his hand.

Allie pointed to the free seat. “Sit and talk. I’m unbelievable fuckin’ bored.”

Buffy couldn’t help but nod in agreement. “Yeah. I was picturing more fun and less…old.”

With a sweet smile, Allie leaned over the back of her seat and tugged the sleeve of the waiter. “Hi,” she said flirtingly “A glass of champagne for everyone, please?”

The waiter smile back. “Sure.” He held out the tray and all four took one.

“To boredom,” Allie announced, and they all gulped their flutes in unison.

Buffy smacked her lips, and looked around for the waiter. “Excuse me! Hi, I could I have another please?”

Two hours later, a tipsy Buffy was laughing loudly, leaning into her new friend. “I can’t believe you actually told him that!”

Allie wiped a tear from her eye. “Yep! What a loser!”

After a few minutes, Buffy managed to calm down. “Oh my god,” she said with a sporadic giggle. “So,” she began, glancing in Spike’s direction across the room. “What do you think of Spike?” Buffy didn’t want to ask anything that might connect her and Spike romantically, but she was curious what Allie thought.

“He’s cool,” Allie began, her lips turning upward into a grin. “And a great kisser.”

Buffy’s stomach dropped, and she froze. “What?”

“Oh.” Allie covered her mouth, looking apologetic. “Sorry. You probably don’t want to hear about anything romantic concerning the guy who’s, like, your stepbrother.”

“He’s not,” Buffy automatically corrected. “No, I was just…surprised.”

Allie’s pale eyebrow rose. “What’s surprising?” She smoothed a hand over her dark dress.

“Nothing…it’s just, Spike never said anything,” Buffy tried, feeling idiotic. Her cheeks were burning, and she glanced down at her shoes for something to look at.

Allie shrugged. “It was just one night.”

Buffy swallowed hard, her cheeks reddening in humiliation. Desperate for a new topic, her mouth formed, “What school do you go to?”

“St. Anges,” Allie replied

“The all-girls private school?” Buffy confirmed, easing into the change of topic.

“Yep,” Allie sighed, rolling her eyes. “Thank god this is my last year. I’d kill myself if I endure another year of all estrogen, all the time.”

Buffy couldn’t help but laugh at Allie’s dramatic comment.

“Allison, dear? It’s time for us to go,” a woman with equally pale hair walked up to the two blondes.

Allie’s eyes rolled again. “Bye, Buffy. Tell Spike to give you my cell. We’ll hang out soon.”

Buffy waved bye, watching Allie follow her mother and a man, presumably her father.

“Hey Summers.” Spike flopped into the seat next to her, watching Allie leave as well. “Nice bird, yeah?”

With a sharp glare, Buffy whipped her head behind her. “Stalkerish much?” She snapped, walking off.

Not bother to glance behind, Buffy missed Spike’s outraged expression, and was startled when he yanked her down a secluded hallway near the supply closet. “What the fuck?” He demanded, his eyes blazing.

Buffy met his gaze square on. “The fuck part is right,” she retorted bitterly. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go back to the party.”

For the second time, Spike instinctively pulled Buffy back by the arm. “Hey!” She protested. “Let go.”

“No,” Spike said through gritted teeth. “Not until you tell me what your bloody problem is.”

“I don’t have a problem, Spike,” Buffy replied, tugging her arm back.

“Was it something I said?” Spike pressed, cornering her. “Something I did?”

When he saw Buffy’s lips press into a thin line, he exhaled loudly. “What the hell did Allie tell say?”

Buffy turned her head so their eyes didn’t meet. “Nothing,” she mumbled unconvincingly.

“Yeah right,” Spike replied angrily. “Tell me.”

“Nothing,” Buffy said with more emphasis. “I just wasn’t aware of how close you two were.”

After a brief moment of confusion, Spike shook his head with a scoff. “Summers, I don’t know what Allie said or what you interpreted, but I kissed her once, and that was in July before I met you.”

Buffy’s anger wavered. “I just thought…she said it was ‘one night’, so I just assumed…” she trailed off, her thought crystal clear.

Spike stood rigidly. “Yeah, well, you thought wrong,” he told the blonde.

“Sorry,” she apologized softly, her gaze drifting down.

Spike reached out touching Buffy’s cheek, traveling down to the hollow of her throat. “Yeah, me too.” His eyes found her lips and he stared at them hungrily.

Taking the cue, Buffy reached up, kissing him hotly. Their tongues dueled, and Buffy pressed herself as close as she could to Spike, feeling the hard contours of his body. Sparks exploded in her as Spike’s hands ran all over her body teasingly.

A moan escaped her lips, and Spike pushed against her harder. This time when Buffy felt his erection, she didn’t retreat. Instead she pressed back, her legs tangling with his. They slid against the wall as Spike moved them into the supply closet out of any prying eyes.

The darkness enveloped them, and provoked Buffy to move, albeit slowly, grinding against him. Mutual groans of satisfaction filled the music-muffled air.

Before Buffy could think, she was topless, the top half of her dress pooled around her waist. Her hot skin was smashed against Spike’s now bare chest. His hand roamed over her bare breast, making her moan and whimper.

Desire and lust took over. Buffy could barely form a coherent thought let alone words. She just let the feeling take over. Her dress fell from her hips easily, and her fingers moved deftly to undo the button and zipper.


Immediately, Spike’s hands caressed her hips, moving to her inner thigh and slid two fingers in her aching core. With a hitch of her breath, Buffy squirmed in pleasure as his fingers pumped leisurely.

“Oh…oh,” she murmured, her back scraping against cement.

“That’s it, luv,” Spike whispered, his voice thick with desire.

Buffy’s eyes drifted shut at the shooting stars of pleasure rained on her. When she could barely take it anymore, she groaned and grasped Spike’s member, giving him payback.

“Bloody hell.” She heard him curse, then breathe, “Buffy.” The sound of her name, not a nickname, sounded foreign from Spike’s lips. It was intimate, it was sexy, and it rocked her very core.

Without another thought, Buffy released him. Spike pulled back as well, glancing up at her with doubt. “Are you…?” He ended his question with an audible groan and fervent “Fuck!” as Buffy braced her hands around his neck and slid onto his member.

Very deliberately, she moved to the tip, and slid off awkwardly. “Do you,” she fought to catch her breath. “Have a condom?”

Blinking, Spike took a moment to string her words together in his mind before looking down at his jacket. “In my pocket.”

Buffy reached in and pulled out the square foil. Quickly, she removed the package and tugged the condom on. Leaning in for a brief kiss, Buffy sunk back onto his now-coated erection.

“God…”

Panting harshly, the duo moved, slowly at first, but then faster, to a crescendo of passion and pleasure. Buffy reveled in the feel of Spike, thick and hard, in her, undulating and throbbing. She gasped, whimpering and moaninged towards her climax, feeling Spike moving along with her.

So close…she was so close…

A near scream tore from her throat, muffled as she bit into Spike’s jacket covered shoulder. With a shudder, Spike followed, his breath ragged.

“Oh…” Buffy managed, her voice faint, her chest heaving.

For a moment time seemed suspended, their passion unhurriedly coming to an end in the most satisfying way.

“Bloody hell.” Buffy could feel Spike’s hot breath against her hair. “I love you.”

In a blink of an eye, Buffy jolted upright, her back once again parallel to the cement wall. Panic seized her mind, and she struggled to shove Spike off. Fear had taken over, and Buffy glanced up at Spike’s bewildered, slightly hurt expression and knew she had heard him right.

Oh god. “I need to…I gotta go,” she mumbled quickly, yanking her dress up, fastening the tie around her neck. She stumbled out of the closet, her unsteady feet carrying her out the back door. Unwanted sobs threatened to spill over, and her vision blurred. Her shoe caught the edge of a crack, sending Buffy tumbling to the sidewalk.

Sprawled on the cement, Buffy struggled to gather her things that had fallen out of her clutch while keeping the tears in check. She swallowed gulps of the crisp night air, trying to steady her thoughts.

She was so stupid. She hadn’t been ready for it again, not even close. Self-hatred burned her eyes. Her annoying habit of pushing herself to far had reared its ugly head once more. The words, the look in Spike’s eye had terrified her.

The scarlet dress fluttered at her knees. There was a smudge on the hem, and Buffy tried to rub it off unsuccessfully.

Suddenly, the high pitch ring of her phone emanated from her clutch, and Buffy reluctantly opened it. “Willow” flashed on the screen.

“Hey,” Buffy greeted, knowing her voice must sound quiet.

A mixture of sobs and sniffles reached Buffy’s ear, and she pressed the phone closer. “Willow? Is everything okay?”

“N-no,” the redhead answered, her voice cracking.

“What happened?”

“I-I told Oz.” Buffy could picture Willow’s hazel eyes wet, her chin quivering.

Buffy stood up, dusting off her legs. “Are you at home?” She asked, taking charge.

Another sniffle. “Yeah. My parents are in LA for the night.” Her voice sounded shaky and lonely.

“I’ll be there in ten minutes.”
After by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
Ahem. *looks down sheepishly* I've finally updated, and I DO intend to continue with (fairly) regular updates. I had to take a loooong break for school (that crazy thing) and while this one isn't beta-ed, the rest will be. I greatly appreciate any comments or questions or constructive criticism. Thanks for being sooo patient with me and enjoy the chapter.
Chapter 32: After


It took a box of Kleenex and a sleeve of Oreos for Buffy to calm Willow down enough to understand her. After the long strung out explanation, Buffy tucked Willow into bed and rolled out a few blankets and pillow on the floor.

Unfortunately, sleep was not quite so easy for Buffy. She shifted positions, curling her knees up tightly, for the hundredth time, her eyes wide open.

To stop thinking about her own dire situation that was irreversibly fucked up, Buffy focused on what Willow had told her through sobs only an hour before.

”What happened?”

Willow sniffled, laying flat on her bed, tears spilling out of the corner of her eye. “I told him,” she said softly.

Buffy sank to the floor, her face somber. “What…what did he say?”

Willow let out a long sigh and blinked, sending a tear down her cheek. “At first, he didn’t say anything. He was just…quiet. Not even Oz-quiet. It was a scary silence, like he was judging me.” She stopped with a shaky breath, and then continued on. “He said, ‘You can’t love us both’ and I told him, ‘I know, but I’m not sure how I feel’. So he stood up and left.”

She rolled over, facing Buffy on the floor with an equally upset expression. “What am I going to do?” She half-whispered half-cried. Her eyes were rimmed red.

“I don’t know,” Buffy answered truthfully.

“I can’t tell Tara,” Willow said, her voice soft. “It’s too complicated. I care about them both, how can I choose?”

Buffy didn’t know how to respond. Her fingers pulled on the rug under her feet, wondering where they would go from here.


With a yawn, Buffy pulled away from her thoughts as sleep fogged her mind. It was past one in the morning, and sleep seemed like the only right thing.

***************

Buffy woke up with her eyelashes sticking together with crusted tears that surprised her. She couldn’t remember crying. Rubbing her eyes, Buffy sat up, looking down at her hand. It was streaked with black paint. Oh, she realized dumbly, she still had mascara on.

Looking down at her wrinkled red dress, Buffy exhaled. The air smelled like rain, and as she glanced out the window, she saw the sky had turned a cloudy gray.

Simultaneously, Buffy yawned and reached for her cell phone. Flicking it open, Buffy waited for it to turn on. It vibrated in her palm, signaling new messages. Biting her lip, Buffy listened to the three voice messages, all from her mother.

With a reluctant sigh, Buffy dialed her mother’s number, crossing her fingers for luck.

“Hello?”

“Hi, mom,” Buffy greeted cheerfully.

“Buffy! Where are you?” Joyce demanded sounding extremely worried.

“I’m at Willow’s. I left a message on your phone,” Buffy answered, her feet tucked under her.

“You walked out last night without saying anything to me or to Rupert. Buffy, honestly, what were you thinking?” Joyce barreled on, ignoring Buffy’s words.

“I thought you knew, I’m sorry,” Buffy apologized.

“No. Sorry isn’t good enough, Buffy. I expected more of you, and I am deeply disappointed by your irresponsible behavior. Say goodbye to Willow, and come home.” With that, Joyce hung up.

Buffy slowly closed her phone, inhaling. She tried to keep calm, but it was nearly impossible with everything pounding in her brain.

“Buffy?” Willow asked sleepily, sitting up in her bed.

“Hey, Wills,” the blonde responded. “Do you think you could drive me home? My mom’s kinda pissed.”

Willow blinked slowly. “Mad? Why?”

“I kinda didn’t tell her I was coming over,” Buffy admitted sheepishly, rubbing her head.

Willow slid out of her bed and shrugged on a sweatshirt lying on the chair next to her bed. “Sure.” There was a pause as the redhead added, “So how mad is she?”

Buffy swallowed, shifting her gaze. “Scale of 1 to 10? 11.”

Looking alert for the first time in twelve hours, Willow shoved her feet in her shoes. “Okay, then, let’s go.”

On their way out the door, Willow stopped and poured food into a small bowl, which impelled a slinky white and black cat to slip around the corner.

Buffy then followed Willow out to the garage and slid into the passenger seat of Mrs. Rosenberg’s Honda.

It was a short drive, and both of them were silent, contemplating their own issues they would have to face eventually.

Willow turned into the Summers-Giles driveway and parked. “Buffy, thanks for last night, and I’m really sorry you’re mom’s mad. Would it help if I explained?”

Buffy shook her head no. “It’d probably annoy her more that I coerced my friend into talking for me. No, I’m gonna have to face the music alone.” With a hopeful look, she turned to her friend. “Wanna run away to Mexico?”

A small bubble of laughter spilled out of the redhead’s mouth. “Don’t tempt me. But, Buffy, I know it’ll be okay. And you can call me whenever you want.”

“As long as my mom doesn’t take my phone away,” Buffy pointed out pessimistically. “Anyway, thanks for letting me stay over.”

Willow bit her lip and then leaned over to hug the blonde. “I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” Buffy replied, propping the door open and stepped out, clutching her small purse tightly. As she walked up the front steps, she noticed her shoes were scuffed and her toenails chipped.

Ever so slowly, Buffy turned the key in the lock and opened the door. She heard Willow back up out of the drive, and turned around to give a brief wave. Then she slid off her shoes, leaving them neatly by the door.

Hoping her mother was still upstairs, Buffy wandered into the kitchen, looking for food. Instead she found Joyce sitting rigidly at the counter, her lips drawn in a thin line.

“Sit down, Buffy.”

Feeling small under her mother’s hard stare, Buffy complied, smoothing her dress and crossing her legs. “Mom I—“

“Stop,” Joyce commanded. “I am extremely disappointed. I know you and your father have had difficulties in the past year, but I had hoped coming here had changed that.”

Unable to stop her outburst of emotion, Buffy countered, “It has, Mom!”

This time Joyce just held up her hand. “Maybe, but you blatantly broke my trust in you. Do you know how scared I was? You didn’t say a word to anyone, and William said he hadn’t seen you since nine. In fact, no one had!” She took a deep breath. “I’m well aware of the lack of parental supervision you had in LA, and I wish to hell I had taken the high road in the situation to prevent that. But you’re part of a family now—this family and that means stepping up to you responsibilities to others, including your whereabouts.”

Buffy could feel her eyes burning, and she blinked hard. “Do I have to go live with Dad again?” Her voice was small and painful.

“Honey, no,” Joyce replied quickly with empathy. “But you are grounded for a week.”

“Um,” Buffy nervously rubbed her lip. “Faith’s coming in on Wednesday, and I promised her we’d go to the Bronze and the beach and stuff.”

Sighing, Joyce allowed, “You’re grounded until Wednesday, and then you’ll finish it up when she leaves. And don’t think I won’t remember.”

“Okay,” Buffy nodded with relief. She watched as her mother stood up and kissed her on the forehead.

“I love you, Buffy,” Joyce told her softly, “Now, why don’t you take a shower and go back to sleep. I’ll wake you up in few hours to do your homework.”

“That’s sounds good,” the blonde responded. “I’ll go do that.” She waited a moment, then two, before adding, “I love you too, Mom.”

Joyce only turned for a brief second, but Buffy caught the flash of a small smile, one that reflected unrestricted love and forgiveness.
Gray by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the reviews! I'm so glad people are enjoying this after a long break. Also, thanks to my beta who has graciously agreed to be my beta again. Sorry for the late update, I was gone for a week (fun!) but here's the chapter.
Chapter 33: Gray


Buffy found it almost unbearable spending all of her free time cooped up in the house. By Monday afternoon, her whole body was thrumming with excess energy, an urge to get up and just…run.

At the moment, she was sitting at the counter, listlessly thumbing through a magazine, her abandoned reading assignment, Hamlet, face down next to her.

She nibbled on the delicious cookie she had found in the jar while reading an article on the latest winter styles. Not that they were really all that applicable to California winters.

The familiar sound of heavy boots made her glance up and freeze, the cookie partway in her mouth. She swallowed quickly and picked up her things off the counter, darting to the stairs.

Unfortunately, Buffy promptly ran into the exact person she was running from.

Spike caught her arms, steadying her and forcing her to look up at his face. Buffy felt her throat tighten. “Excuse me,” she mumbled, moving away.

His hands slid down her arms and let his fingers grasp hers. “Summers…”

“No,” she blurted out wrenching her hand away and moved towards the stairs.

“Come on, you can’t not talk to me forever.” Spike insisted as he followed her up the steps.

“Says who?” Buffy retorted childishly and promptly slammed the door in his face, locking it for good measure.

After waiting a few tense seconds, Buffy backed away from the door and flopped back on her bed. The familiar comforter, cool under her cheek, and her beloved Mr. Gordo did nothing to calm her racing mind and her undecided heart.

********************

In an even more desperate attempt to avoid all things Spike related, Buffy had taken to riding the bus to school the past two days. She sat in the back, resting her head on her backpack. A few times she caught freshmen pointing at her and giggling, but she was too tired to care.

“Buffy!”

Turning around, the blonde spotted Willow locking her car and heading towards her.

“Hey, Wills,” Buffy said, subdued. Her hair was tied loosely at the base of her neck and strands slipped out, whipping across her face.

“How are you?” Willow asked significantly. On the phone, Buffy had told her bits and pieces of what had happened that night.

“I’m okay,” Buffy responded. At the look she received, Buffy caved a little. “I’ve been better.”

“Yeah,” Willow sighed dejectedly. “Me too.”

“Still no Oz?” Buffy questioned, her concern expressed on her face.

Willow shook her head negative, her fingers playing with the short ends of her hair. They walked inside the bustling school towards the cafeteria.

Buffy clutched her books closer. “And Tara?”

“We’re not really making with the…talkage right now,” Willow murmured, her usually sunny disposition abnormally gray. “I think it’s best if we just…don’t talk.”

“You need ‘me time’,” Buffy clarified with reassuringly.

“Me time,” Willow echoed. “Like a Willowcation.” She smiled a little. “I could use that.”

“Well, my cousin’s coming in tonight, and I promised her I’d show her Sunnydale’s finest after school gets out, including the Bronze. So you up for it?” Buffy proposed with a hint of challenge.

“Yep,” Willow nodded firmly. “I’m starting my Willowcation on winter vacation.”

Buffy perked up a bit at the prospect of a fun time. “Awesome. Come over to my house around six-thirty, and we’ll get you all sexy.”

Willow’s cheeks turned a pretty shade of pink. “Sounds fun. Okay, I gotta get to class early; I’ll see you at lunch. We’re sitting by the vending machine with the weird scribble.”

“Got it. And Wills,” Buffy called out as she stopped in front of the bathroom. “Don’t worry too much. It’ll work itself out, just give it time.”

Willow’s face softened. “Thanks, Buffy.” She backed away with a wave, disappearing into the masses.

Pushing the door hard, Buffy went into the badly-lit bathroom, dropping her bag at her feet. She studied her reflection and made a face.

As she dug out her cover-up, the door opened again, and Buffy bit her lip when she saw that it was Anya. “Hi.”

For a second a sad look crossed the girl’s face before regaining composure. “Hello,” she said coolly, leaning into the mirror.

Buffy swallowed hard and pretended to focus on covering up the pimple on her chin and her dark circles. Finally she spoke hesitantly. “So how are things with Ryan?”

Anya shrugged, her eyes blank. She ran her fingers through her hair, undoing her braids.

“That’s…nice,” Buffy said slowly and turned away, swiping a clear gloss on her lips.

Just as Buffy was lifting her bag onto her shoulder, Anya spoke softly. “It’s not my fault, you know.”

Buffy stopped. “What isn’t?”

Anya faced her reflection, applying mascara to her eyelashes. “No one’s talking to me. Everyone thinks I did something wrong, even you.”

Buffy opened her mouth to deny it, but then pressed her lips together. Maybe she wasn’t doing it on purpose, but she hadn’t actually talked to Anya in over a week. “I’m sorry,” Buffy said softly.

Anya shook her head, scoffing a little. “You all sided with Xander automatically, because it had to be Anya’s fault. Big, funny Xander would never do anything wrong.”

“I don’t think that,” Buffy told her, frowning. She moved to reach out to touch the other blonde’s shoulder, but didn’t.

Anya sniffled as she brushed her hair again. “Well, you have a weird way of showing it.”

“I know, and I’m sorry,” Buffy repeated, realizing how it must have been for her. “Are you working today?”

Anya reluctantly nodded. “From four to eight. You?”

“Three to seven,” Buffy responded, “my mom’s picking my cousin up from the bus station, so I wanted to be there when they came back. But we’ll talk at the Magic Box, okay?”

A glimmer of hope sparkled in Anya’s eyes. “Fine, but we can’t be distracted from our valuable customers,” she warned Buffy.

Laughing, Buffy shifted her bag and untucked her hair out from underneath the strap. “Of course not, it would be un-American.”

“Damn straight,” Anya agreed, the lip gloss in her hand pausing at her lip. “And Buffy, thank you for conversing with me, even if you were kinda slow.”

Buffy smiled, pushing the swinging door open. It was a purely Anya backhanded comment, and it was startling how much she has missed her antics. “I’ll see you later, Ahn.”

********************

Sighing loudly, Buffy set her bag down at the bottom of the stairs and slipped out of her shoes. Her bare feet slapped against the linoleum floor of the kitchen as she looked for any leftovers in the fridge.

Buffy had made it home just past seven thanks to another cashier, Alexandra, who had been nice enough to drop her off at her house.

“Hello?” She called out, thinking Giles might be home. Oh yeah, she remembered almost instantaneously. He was in Seattle for the week for some librarian conference thing-y—the epitome of dorkdom in her opinion.

Buffy wandered into the living room, expecting it to be empty and was startled at the sight of Spike slouched on the couch, the TV volume low.

“Oh,” she said softly, “sorry, I didn’t know you were—I’ll be upstairs.”

As she turned to grab her bag and dash to the solace of her room, Spike stopped her again for the second time in as many days.

“You’re a soddin’ tease, you know that Summers?”

Buffy felt a liquid fire flush her body. “Excuse me?” She demanded, spinning around furiously.

“You heard me,” Spike shot back. He was sitting up straight now, his azure eyes sparked with defiance.

“Oh you’ve got to be kidding me,” Buffy shook her head in incredulity. “Are you really that much of a petulant child? You’re acting like you’re five.”

Spike stood up and stomped over to her so they were forced to face each other. The sudden movement made Buffy dizzy. “Bloody right I am,” Spike snapped, “I’m soddin’ pissed at you! What the hell is your problem?”

Buffy reared back. “Problem? What’s my problem?! Our parents are living together! They have a relationship! I’m not going to jeopardize that over hormones an-and stupid you.”

“You didn’t have a bloody problem with that before when we were snogging!” Spike pointed out with a hint of satisfaction.

Buffy inhaled sharply. “Sleeping with you, Spike, was a wakeup call. This is my second chance to make things right with my mom. I won’t-I can’t-ruin it.”

“Soddin’ bullshit. I merely kissed you, luv. You’re the one who took it and bloody ran,” he told her, his hand fiddling with his lighter. On. Off. On. Off.

“Wow, resorting to blaming me for sex. You sure are a winner, Spike,” she remarked sarcastically.

Spike’s jaw clenched and unclenched. “I may not be Prince Charming, but whatever it was, it was real,” he told her.

“Real? You call a quickie in a supply closet real?” Buffy stepped close, her head tilted, challenging him for an answer.

Spike only stepped closer, the seriousness in his voice palpable. “I don’t know why you ran out, Summers, but frankly, I’m fucking tired of listening to your pathetic excuses. Well, pet, crown yourself the ice queen or deal with your bloody issues. I’m out.”

Buffy stood there, her jaw hanging open, her eyes stinging with…hurt? She watched him stalk up the steps, two at a time, and felt strange being the one left behind.

“Wow,” a voice came from behind her. “That was fuckin’ entertainment, B.”
Faithful by Riahannon
Author's Notes:
thanks for all the amazing reviews and sorry this took so long to write. Also, thanks to my absolutely amazing beta. Enjoy this chapter!
Chapter 34: Faithful



“Jesus!” Buffy spun around, her heart beating rapidly in her chest. “God, Faith, I didn’t see you there!”

Faith stood there, a black tote slung over one denim-clad shoulder. Her hair was longer and possibly a little lighter. Her full lips were twisted in a smirk, her eyebrows arched knowingly. “I can see why…well, hear why.” She shot a look up the stairs.

Ignoring the implications of the comment, Buffy reached out and gripped her cousin’s hand. “I’m glad you’re here.”

Faith’s eyes softened for a moment. “Me too, B.” Then she glanced around, “So, you gonna give me the grand ol’ tour or what?”

“Yeah, sure,” Buffy replied quickly. “Um, where’s your bag?”

“Joyce has it,” Faith jerked her head to the garage door. “Said I should just come on in and find you.”

“Oh, well then,” Buffy smiled. “Let me show you around.”

Faith motioned to the bottom step. “Lead the way.”

As Buffy walked Faith through the house, stopping at her own to let Faith drop off her bags, the pair chatted amicably, trying to stay on lighter topics.

“How’s your mom?” Buffy questioned, guiding her cousin into the kitchen, the final room.

Faith shrugged nonchalantly, but her body tensed. “Keeps whining about my grades and bitching about the guys I’m hangin’ with.”

Buffy paused before venturing, “Is it better? From before, I mean?”

“I guess,” Faith answered in a mumble. “But can’t teach an old dog new tricks or whatever. So… when are we goin’ to this club?”

“Tomorrow night,” Buffy answered, pulling out two apples. “I still have a half-day of school.”

Faith bit into the crisp apple and wiped her mouth with her sleeve. “What’s up with you and that guy—Spork?”

“Spike,” Buffy corrected automatically and then added defensively, “and there’s nothing going on. We were just…we don’t get along very well.”

Faith chuckled. “B, I’ve known you for fuckin’ ever. No way was that screaming match between you and Billy Idol ‘nothing’.”

Rolling her eyes to cover up her surprise at the accurate assessment, Buffy poked the apple with her nail. “Seriously, Faith it’s nothing…at least not any more.”

“Oh,” Faith drew out the vowel, her smirk coming back, “this I gotta hear.”

“Not now,” Buffy replied quickly, shooting a glance behind her. Just the mere thought of being in the open area made her nervous, even if Joyce was upstairs reading.

“Just as long as you swear to tell me this sure-to-be-interesting story,” Faith instructed, taking another massive bite of her apple.

“I will,” Buffy promised and felt a sense of trepidation at the thought of explaining the chaotic drama that was Spike and Buffy, but Faith would understand.

Hopefully.

***************

“Hand over the Half-Baked,” Faith demanded, extending her arm out.

Buffy quickly dug her spoon in, scooped out the ice cream and shoved it in her mouth, enjoying the chocolate cold swirling goodness. Swallowing, she held out her licked-clean spoon. “I want the Girl Scout one.”

Faith tossed the carton to Buffy while engulfing her own spoonful of chocolate. “Damn, I haven’t had this in ages.”

They were both dressed in boxers and tank tops, and Buffy was sprawled on her bed while Faith was reclining against a pile of pillows and blankets facing the TV.

As the credits rolled on the screen, Faith promptly turned to the blonde. “You gonna tell me the deal between you and peroxide now?”

Buffy sighed, shifting to accommodate Faith on her double bed. The brunette stretched out on her stomach and looked up expectantly. “So? Spill.”

Opening her mouth, Buffy readied herself. “Okay. When I got here, Spike and I were…not so friendly.”

Faith interrupted with a slight chuckle. “Definitely getting that vibe.”

Buffy shot her cousin a glare. “Do you want to know or what? ‘Cause this is nerve-racking enough without your commentary, Faith.”

Holding her hands up in surrender, Faith nodded. “Five by five here. Keep going.”

Blowing out an anxious breath, Buffy continued. “I’m not exactly sure when things kinda...changed. Part of it was we made this stupid pact to get along for my mom and Giles’s sake, and we also had this whole running competition. Then one minute we were screaming and the next…we were making out like lust-crazy bunnies.”

Faith couldn’t hold back a laugh at the comparison, but she didn’t say anything.

Even Buffy broke out in a small smile. “It was fine for a while, you know, secret make out sessions, which were nice…really nice, but it just wasn’t working out, so I broke things off, and now it’s uber-awkward.” She finished with a shrug.

For a moment Faith was silent, almost contemplative. “Bullshit,” she announced. “Come on, B, I taught you to lie better than this.”

Buffy’s mouth dropped and she instantly protested. “What? I’m not lying!”

“Fine,” Faith allowed, “but you’re not tellin’ the whole story. I know that for sure.”

Her lips pressed tight, Buffy crossed her arms. “Well, I’m not telling you ever single detail, but that’s what happened.”

“B…” Faith’s voice was unusually gentle. “Seriously, what’s up?”

“I…” Buffy tried. “I’m just…I’m not sure how I feel for him.”

Suddenly, all the thoughts in her head spilled out a mile a minute. “I mean, he says he loves me, but we’ve barely known each other and we fight at least half of the time, and, oh yeah, we’re like stepsiblings. I don’t…I don’t love him, I know that, but I care for him, and yet I can just feel that he expects me to love him back, and oh my god I’ve totally lost it.”

Faith grinned at Buffy’s ramble. “Knew you were holding somethin’ back, but that was the biggest freak-out I’ve seen you do.”

Buffy swatted Faith with her pillow. “Like you haven’t gone nuts over a guy.”

“Yeah, but I don’t bottle my frustration,” she laughed, “I just fuck him.”

“I did,” Buffy blurted out and then slapped her head. “Oh god, I’m such a loser.”

“No you’re not,” Faith replied chidingly.

“I’m a slut,” Buffy responded, flopping back on her bed. “I slept with him and he said he loved me and went all runaway Buffy on him.”

“Ouch,” Faith commented. “I feel bad for the dude.”

Buffy sent her another death glare. “Do you want to sleep outside?”

“Listen, I’m not gonna lie, this is one messed up situation, but it’s not hopeless,” Faith shrugged. “If you really like him, you can do something about it. Tell him, tell Joyce and her boyfriend, just get it out in the open.”

Buffy turned on her stomach, her chin her hand. “It’s not that simple,” she said in a small voice.

Faith glanced at the blonde. “Maybe it is.”

************************


At promptly six-thirty the next evening, Buffy opened the door and ushered Willow in. “Hey, Wills.”

“Hi,” she replied and held up a bag. “I bought the skirt and shirt you told me to bring, but I don’t think they’ll really go together. They’re too short.”

“Just trust me on this,” Buffy told her comfortingly. “Come on, Faith’s upstairs.”

Buffy led her friend up the stairs and into her room. The door was slightly ajar, and she pushed it open further to reveal her room.

Faith was wearing a black bra and leather pants and was fishing through a pile of shirts. “B, where’s that awesome black shirt we bought at…” she trailed off, looking up.

Buffy gestured to the redhead. “Faith, this is Willow. Willow, Faith.”

Without setting down the shirts in her hand, Faith nodded. “Hey. So, B?”

“The halter with the keyhole? I gave that to you before I left,” Buffy reminded her cousin. “Anyway, Wills here needs a cute outfit.”

Faith perked up a little at the prospect. “What’d you bring?” She asked, noticing her arms.

“Just a shirt, well, it’s really a wrap for over a shirt, and a purple skirt. I don’t think they really match,” Willow answered nervously.

Taking the garments, Faith examined the critically, while Buffy searched through the pile of clothes. “Hey, B, you still got that leather skirt?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Don’t remind me,” she said, but produced the item after a second. “Here. I’ll be right back.” She disappeared into the hallway, closing the door behind her.

“Put this on,” Faith instructed Willow, holding out the tiny scrap of leather and the midriff-baring wrap shirt.

“Uh…” Willow tried, “I’m not sure this is so…not revealing.”

Faith turned around again, giving her a look. “That’s the point, Red. Come on, just try it.”

Feeling slightly embarrassed, Willow faced the wall and slid the skirt on quickly, and then tied the top on over her bra.

Faith, now wearing a tight dark red halter, whistled. “Damn, that looks great.” She spun Willow around to face the mirror.

Willow’s jaw dropped. “Oh, um…” She crossed her arms over the bare patch of skin between the two garments. “I don’t think this is very me.”

Buffy knocked. “It’s just me,” she announced and stepped inside. Spotting Willow, she did a double take. “Wills!”

“Doesn’t she look hot?” Faith asked with a grin.

“Buffy, don’t,” Willow warned, hunching her shoulders.

“You look great,” Buffy countered, and then paused. “It’s just…it might be a little, you know, Halloween-y. But you look great,” she repeated with emphasis.

Whimpering slightly, Willow turned back to the mirror. “I don’t think I can wear this.”

“Maybe we should nix the skirt,” Buffy suggested tentatively. “You can borrow my jeans.”

“No way, B, she looks hot like that,” Faith protested, examining her in the mirror. She glanced over at Willow again. “Just wear it tonight for the new girl.”

Staring at her reflection again, Willow nodded slightly, biting her lip nervously. “Okay.”

“Great,” Faith grinned again, her teeth flashing as she reached out for a hair band. “I’ll do your hair too.”
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=18481