The Girl Answers the Question by missus_grace
Summary: The way I wanted "The Girl in Question" to end.
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 9755 Read: 5647 Published: 04/13/2006 Updated: 04/23/2006

1. Part One by missus_grace

2. Part Two by missus_grace

3. Part Three by missus_grace

4. Part Four by missus_grace

Part One by missus_grace
Buffy secured the picnic basket on the back of her bicycle and set off at a brisk pace. She still couldn’t believe how much fun it was to ride a bicycle after all these years. Her hair was tied back in a ponytail and she could feel it swaying from side to side as she pedaled.

For obvious reasons she’d decided not to get a car in Rome, and even though Dawn had been begging her to get a moped, she didn’t want to risk a relationship with any kind of motorized vehicle. When they’d seen others riding around the city on bikes, they’d given it a go themselves and were hooked. It helped that riding took her back to a time when she’d been carefree and happy; before becoming the Slayer, before Sunnydale, and before her parents’ split.

She was on her way to take lunch to her boyfriend. Boyfriend. She had a boyfriend. Who’d have thought it? She’d mourned Spike and declined all offers of dates which came her way in the months following his death. After they’d arrived in Rome and things had settled somewhat, she’d been approached by the Immortal and they’d been together ever since.

Giles had tried to warn her about his background; the ambiguous morals he’d displayed in the past, but he’d been nothing but upstanding and helpful since they’d met. If it was one thing she learned from Spike, it was that she should be judging people by their current deeds; not their past, and not their species, or race, or creed, or whatever.

She’d been thinking about Spike recently, and remembered the strange sensation that had come across her when she and the Immortal had been out dancing the other night. She’d felt the familiar vampire tinglies, but there had been two signatures; one faint, but familiar. Angel. And the other was Spike’s. She’d been caught up in dancing, and by the time she’d deciphered the feeling and looked around, nothing was there and the sense was gone.

When she’d arrived back at the apartment she shared with Dawn, and temporarily Andrew, there was a lingering trace of the same two vampires. But since Angel was busy in LA and Spike was dead, she wrote it off to her subconscious. She was finally letting go and moving on and she’d had doubts about burying the memories of her two former lovers.

All thoughts of anything but her new love fled her mind as she arrived at his office. She entered quietly, wanting to surprise him, and was relieved to find his secretary’s desk vacant. Probably out to lunch. She crept over to his door and stopped when she heard voices through the crack.

“….and you sent the head to the LA branch of Wolfram and Hart? Brilliant! I would have loved to seen their faces when it showed up!”

Buffy was going to knock and enter, but when she heard ‘LA’ and ‘Wolfram and Hart’ she paused. This had to do with Angel.

“Driving those two around the bend was fun a century ago and it was even better this time around. And I got their ladies last time, too! I’ll always remember my 6 hours with Darla and Drusilla.” That was the Immortal’s voice. Buffy’s heart began pounding when she heard the names Darla and Drusilla.

“I could hardly drive when I saw them on the scooter. It was like a bad Abbott and Costello movie. Angel was on the back, hanging on to Spike for dear life…” Buffy stopped listening when the other voice said Spike’s name. How could that be? Was he alive? She tried to slow her breathing down and paid attention to the voices behind the door once more.

There was hearty laughter and then the Immortal spoke again. “I almost feel bad putting those two through the wringer again, but I had to keep them away from Buffy. She doesn’t need those two butting into her life anymore, especially since she doesn’t know that Spike is alive, or rather, undead, again.”

Oh God. Spike was alive. And her boyfriend knew. And Angel knew. Everybody but her. The Immortal knew how much Spike meant to her. She’d told him about her past and had hidden nothing. Looked like she opened up to the wrong man yet again. She stormed through the door, eyes blazing.

“She does now. Were you ever going to tell me?” She stood in front of him, threw the basket on his desk, and put her hands on her hips.

“Buffy, darling. I don’t know what you think you heard, but…”

“Don’t ‘but’ me. Darling.” The last word was dripping with ice. “You know how much he meant to me, and you knew he was alive.” They barely noticed the other occupant of the office leaving quietly. No way was he going to stick around for this confrontation.

“Buffy, he didn’t want you to know.” The Immortal’s voice was soft and soothing. He’d seen flashes of the Slayer’s temper before, fighting with the occasional vampire or demon, and dealing with unruly Watchers or Slayers in Training. He didn’t want her sharp tongue aimed in his direction.

“Well isn’t that just great. I’ve had it with men who keep doing things in my best interest. Just once I’d like someone to give me all the facts and let me decide for myself.” She waited pointedly for him to say something and tapped her foot on the floor.

The Immortal finally drew in a deep breath and told her about Spike and Angel’s trip to Rome the week before. He told her what he knew of Spike’s resurrection and that he’d been working with Angel at Wolfram and Hart. He explained his past with them, and why he’d wanted to keep them away from her on this trip. When he finished, the silence was deafening.

“So there are the facts as I know them. Will you make a decision now?” The Immortal held his breath, hoping she’d decide to stay with him. Playing with Spike and Angel had been hard to resist. He’d no doubt that Buffy would have found out eventually, but was counting on the strength of their relationship to keep her from getting too upset. Obviously, he’d miscalculated.

“I’m going to LA. Your lunch is in the basket, don’t wait around for me.” She turned to walk out and the Immortal rushed in front of her, barring the door.

“Okay, cara, I can understand how you’re feeling right now, but let me…”

“No, you have no idea,” she interrupted. “And I suggest you let me leave. I don’t want to cause a scene.”

“As you wish,” he said dejectedly, stepping aside. “But first you need to know what’s going on there.” The Immortal knew about Angel’s involvement in the Circle of the Black Thorn and told her what he knew of it. “There’s going to be a confrontation, and it’s going to be ugly. This might not be the best time to show up.”

“It’s exactly the right time to show up,” she said, determination written on her features. “They’re not going to face that alone, and if Angelus is back, I can beat him. But most of all, Spike needs to know how I feel about him.” She touched his arm, caressing him gently. “I’m sorry if you’re disappointed. For what it’s worth, I was enjoying my time with you, and you helped ease my grief. But my heart belongs to Spike. I need to see if he still feels the same way.”

She left him without a backward glance. The Immortal almost felt sorry for the two LA vampires, having to deal with her when she arrived. But Buffy’s appearance would be the least of their problems, if what he’d been hearing was true. A very souled Angel was turning to the dark side, and his colleagues were headed for the fight of their lives.

TBC
Part Two by missus_grace
Author's Notes:
Spike's poem taken from AtS episode "Not Fade Away" written by Jeffrey Bell and Joss Whedon. The other poem is mine,
and I know nothing about writing poetry, so if you think it stinks, that's why.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Buffy used her Slayer strength to pedal home, getting there in half the time as it had taken her to get to the Immortal’s office. She immediately picked up the phone and dialed England.

“Rupert Giles, please.” Buffy waited for the secretary to patch her through.

“It’s Buffy. We need to mobilize in LA, pronto. Angel’s gotten into something. The Black Thorn Circle or something.” …“That sounds right.”… “We’re going because his team needs our help. This is beyond Wolfram and Hart.”… “No, there’s another reason. Spike’s alive. He was a ghost at first, then became corporeal a few months ago.”… “No, I don’t know, and I don’t care. He’s been working with Angel…” …“Look Giles, I don’t have all the details. He and Angel were in Rome last week, and the Immortal sent them on some wild goose chase trying to keep them away from me.” …“Don’t you dare say ‘I told you so.’” …“I’m going to him, and I’m taking Dawn. I want Willow, Xander and all the Slayers who are willing, and I’d like you, too.”… “Giles, haven’t you learned to trust me by now? I just KNOW, that’s all. We need everyone who fights for our side. Willow just perfected that teleportation spell, right?”… “I’ll get the lowdown when I get there and let her know. You two can work out the logistics, okay?” …“Thanks, you, too. I’ll call when I get there. And Giles?” …“Thank you for trusting me.”… “Okay, bye.”

Another quick phone call, this one to Willow, then she packed bags for herself and Dawn. Next was a note for Andrew, and a call for a cab. She got Dawn out of school and they were on the first flight to LA they could find.

^^^^^^^^

The flight was uneventful and the minute they got their bags they caught a cab to the home of Willow’s LA contact, Marlene. She’d be doing the locator spell and was letting them stay with her.

Dawn stroked Buffy’s back as her sister reached into her pocket for a personal item of Spike’s. It was the skull ring from their “engagement.” Buffy was never sure why she kept it, but now she knew. It would lead her to him, and hopefully a future together.

Sure enough, a glowing dot appeared on the map under the Wiccan’s slender hand.
“He’s at Rocco’s. Oh, dear.”

“What do you mean, ‘Oh, dear?’” Dawn panicked, gripping Buffy’s hand.

“It’s a tough bar down in Long Beach. It’s got quite a reputation…it’s rather a redneck crowd, I’m afraid. I’ll drive you, you go get Spike, and then we’ll come back here. My home is protected from both electronic and magical surveillance and we can speak freely here.”

“Crazy vamp is probably looking for a fight. Let’s go, then.” A stake found its way into her hand and they piled into Marlene’s car for the short trip to Long Beach.

^^^^^^^

Said crazy vamp was drinking shot after shot, trying to get up the nerve to do what needed to be done. Finally, it was time. The house lights dimmed and the raucous conversation died down. He made his way to the stage and walked into the spotlight, grabbing the microphone.

"My soul is wrapped in harsh repose,
midnight descends in raven-colored clothes,
but soft...behold!
A sunlight beam
cutting a swath of glimmering gleam.
My heart expands,
'tis grown a bulge in it,
inspired by your beauty...
effulgent."

A heartbeat, then two passed and a wild cheer went up from the crowd.

“Yeah!”
“Way to tell her, bro!”
“You rock!”

Spike smiled, a genuine, if not a bit tipsy smile, and responded. “Wrote that for a bird named Cecily; she ripped my heart out right after she heard it.”

“Bitch!”
“She’s not worthy!”
“You’re better off without her!”

“Okay, lads, settle down. She’s ancient history. Here’s one I did for my last girl.

She lives in the sun;
The moon is jealous.
The moon knows her, sees her, wants her.
The moon gives her strength.
The sun gives her beauty and life.
The moon gives her death.
The moon knows the sun will always win.”


More whistles and cheers followed him as he left the stage. He’d actually done it, and now he could go on his second suicide mission in as many years knowing he’d conquered one last fear. He was headed for the exit, enduring the back slaps and high fives of his fellow slammers as he wove through the crowd when a familiar scent tickled his senses.

He paused in mid-stride and his nostrils flared as he scanned the room. Strong arms encircled his waist from behind and he felt a soft, female body press into his back.

“Spike,” she breathed into his ear. His eyes closed in remembered pleasure and he whirled around to face her.

“Buffy,” he sighed, and opened his eyes. Surely she was an illusion, a figment of his imagination. He’d just been thinking about her so strongly that he was creating this, and when he opened his eyes all he’d see was the crowd filling the bar.

Sure enough, there was the stage, and the audience, but lowering his gaze, there she stood. He touched her, and she was real; solid.

“Buffy?” Her hands were still on his waist, and she moved them to his hips, pulling him closer.

^^^^^^^^^
10 minutes earlier:

Buffy left the car and walked up to the club. It looked just like what it was, a skanky bar with blacked out windows and neon announcing the drinks of choice. Buffy took a deep breath and entered.

As she stood, letting her senses adjust to the dim atmosphere, she noticed that it was unusually quiet, except for one voice. A very familiar voice; a British accent in a rich baritone that made her quake with desire. Spike. Her eyes swept the building and she saw him on the stage. Was he reciting poetry? She could barely make out the sign behind him: Poetry Slam. Well.

She listened, then heard his explanation. Oh yes, Cecily. He’d told her about that during one of their few tender post-coital conversations. Guilt came roaring into her consciousness as she thought about that year. She’d been terrible to him, and she was hoping that they could make a fresh start right now. Ooh, wait. The deep, thinky thoughts were pushed aside for a moment as she realized he was reading another one.

She trembled as she recognized the subject. Buffy was pretty sure he was talking about her. If he really felt that way then she would need to work extra hard to win his heart. All she wanted was a chance to prove that she was worthy of his love.

The audience was cheering and applauding now, and she let her gaze wash over him as he made his way through the crowd and straight towards her. She moved out of his line of sight and doubled back behind him. She could tell when he’d scented her, and she stepped directly behind him, arms encircling his waist.

^^^^^^^^^
“It’s me,” she whispered on his lips, and then they were kissing and he was drowning in her scent and her softness. They were brought back to reality when they could hear the crowd cheering.

“Hope she’s better than the last one!”
“Thatta boy!”
“Dude! You rock!”

Buffy grinned against his lips. “Let’s get out of here,” she purred suggestively, pulling him away from the crowd and towards the door.

Once they were outside Spike backed Buffy up against the wall and covered her with his body, their lips getting reacquainted. When Buffy stopped for a breath, Spike pulled away slightly.

“How?” was all he asked.

“My ex told me.”

Spikes eyebrows shot up in surprise. “Angel? I thought he’d never…”

“No, not Angel.” Spike tilted his head in that adorable manner and gave her a questioning look. “The Immortal.” She smiled as she waited for him to make the connection.

It took him half a second to figure it out. “You broke up with that wanker then?”

“Soon as I found out about you.” She pulled him closer for another kiss and reluctantly released him to continue her story. “I overheard him talking to some demon about the wild goose chase he sent you and Angel on when you were in Rome last week. He said he was trying to keep you away from me and didn’t want me to know you were back.”

Spike made a harrumphing sound in his throat and she continued.

“He knew how I felt about you; how much I loved you. You were a threat to him; he knew if I found out you were alive that I’d come after you.”

“And here you are,” Spike said with a smile, running his finger across her jaw.

“You should have seen the look on his face when I walked into his office. And I didn’t make a scene or anything. I was so calm. I told him he hadn’t been fair to me and I’d be coming to LA right away and that he shouldn’t wait for me to come back.”

Spike chuckled. “Serves the bloody ponce right.”

Buffy cleared her throat. “Now it’s your turn. Why didn’t I hear the good news from you?”

Spike had the decency to look sheepish. “Ah, pet, it seems rather stupid now.”

Buffy just pulled back from him and crossed her arms over her chest.

“At first I was a ghost. One minute I’m burning up in the Hellmouth, then I find myself in Angel’s office.”

Buffy nodded. “I heard about that.”

“I didn’t want you to see me like that. I couldn’t leave LA either; every time I got to the city limits I found myself back at Wolfram and Hart. Then one day I got an exploding package in the post and I’m solid and undead again. Turns out that was just a ploy to get Angel and me to kill each other.”

“What do you mean?” Buffy asked.

“There was a cup, we were told. Drink the contents and become human. We fought and I won. I beat him, Buffy. You know how many times he’s kicked my ass? I wanted it more, this time, for you.” Spike lowered his eyes and took her hands in his. “So I drank it, and nothing. It was a cup of sodding Mountain Dew.”

He raised his eyes to meet hers again. “Then I was all set to come to Europe. Even had a boat ticket in my hand, but…”

“Go on,” Buffy urged softly.

“I was afraid. Of rejection, of not being good enough.” He dropped her hands and began pacing in a short line. “I died, Buffy, saving the world. How could I top that? I didn’t want to come to you the way I left. I wanted to be better for you.”

“The poem, the one you just read. That was about me, wasn’t it?”

“Yeah…”

“You’re an idiot, Spike.” He stopped his pacing and looked at her with shock and hurt in his eyes. “You should have told me. Let me decide. You should have known…you know how much I hate it when the men in my life make decisions for my own good without giving me the chance to say anything.”

“I know, Buffy. I didn’t think…but Angel needed me then, and asked me to stay, after a fashion. I saw a higher purpose; the good I could do…he’s not the enemy, you know.”

“I’ve heard differently.”

“Yeah, there’s a battle coming.”

“And I’m helping.” She put a finger to his lips before he could protest. “Let’s go. I know where we can talk about this,” she pressed herself against him once more and nibbled his lips before giving him a firm kiss, “and get reacquainted.” She led him across the street where a car was waiting.

The front passenger door was thrown open and he was bowled over by a teenage bundle of energy. “Spike!” Dawn squealed, throwing her arms around him and holding on tight.
He returned her fierce hug and pulled away from her.

“Look at you, Niblet. Growing up nicely, aren’t you then?” He reached out to touch her hair, still long and shiny, and soft as a feather.

“I can’t believe it’s really you! We were so upset…Buffy was crying every night for you…”

“Okay, Dawn, that’s enough,” Buffy said, a bright blush tinting her cheeks. Spike turned and smirked at her, a knowing look on his face.

“So you missed me then, Slayer?” he drawled.

Buffy ignored him and introduced him to Marlene. As they all settled into their seats, Buffy flush against Spike in back and Dawn up front, Marlene explained that she had magical shields and wards around her home, making it safe to hold sensitive conversations there. On the ride, Spike told Dawn about his return and the goings on at Wolfram and Heart since he’d arrived.

He shared how moved he’d been by Fred’s dedication to making him corporeal, and the loss they’d felt when Illyria had killed her and taken over her body. He told them about Cordelia’s brief resurrection and death, knowing that it would be relevant in their upcoming conversation about Angel’s plan.

Buffy finally asked the one of the questions he’d been dreading since he saw her.

“What were you doing at a poetry slam, Spike?”

Dawn’s mouth gaped as she regarded him in the back seat. “You were at a poetry slam?

“That’s not the best part, Dawnie,” Buffy said, a mischievous gleam in her eye. “He was reading. Up on the stage. In front of everyone.”

“Bloody hell, Slayer,” Spike moaned, his hands covering his face. “You wanna stop and shout it from the rooftops, too?”

“Why not? I love you, Spike, and I’m proud of you. I’ll tell anyone who cares to listen.”

The car was silent as its occupants digested that bit of information. Spike was overjoyed that Buffy had finally declared her love for him and in a very public manner. Buffy was incredulous at having Spike back. Dawn was relieved, for two very good reasons. Buffy had been unbearable since Spike had died saving the Hellmouth, and now she could be happy. And now she’d get a chance to apologize to Spike for being mean to him the previous year. He’d deserved it at the time, but even as he’d started changing and showing his sincerity for helping, Dawn had still ignored him. Marlene concentrated on getting them all home safely, but her inner romantic was gleeful that the two lovers had been reunited. She’d have to think of ways to occupy Dawn tonight to they could have some privacy.

TBC
Part Three by missus_grace
Author's Notes:
This is the first time I've published a sex scene. Feedback re: its potency (*giggles*) is welcome.
^^^^^^^^^^
After stopping at the butcher’s for Spike, they headed to Marlene’s house. The Wicca invited Spike in and checked her protective wards before he told them about Angel’s plan. Buffy was quite relieved that his behavior had just been a ruse, as she’d not wanted to have to kill him a second time. Spike seemed quite overwhelmed that Buffy had so many resources at her disposal and that she wanted to use them to help. She and Marlene contacted Willow and they drew up a plan while Spike and Dawn spent some time catching up.

“Spike, I never got a chance to apologize for being mean to you last year.”

“S’ok, Bit. I deserved it.”

“Not all of it, really. And then it just seemed like there was no privacy in the house, and you were busy training, then we….” She trailed off, not sure how to continue.

“Kicked Buffy out of the Scoobies?” he supplied.

“Well, yeah, I guess you could say that,” she responded with a look of guilt. “I’m just glad you’re back and we’re here, just in time, apparently, for another apocalypse!”

Spike scooted closer to her and gave her a hug. “Me, too, Niblet. Me, too.” He released her and picked up her hand. “Thought I was headed off for another dusty ending, but with the help of all the white hats we just might come out on top.”

Buffy and Marlene had finished talking with Willow and Buffy was coming back into the living room when she heard Spike’s last comment. She stood before him briefly, hands on hips, before kneeling in front of him.

“That’s why you were reading poetry, isn’t it? You thought you were going on a suicide mission.” Dawn wisely chose to leave the room at this point, but neither of them noticed her exit.

“Knew it was a one-way ticket, luv, but we all voted. We knew we might lose this battle, but we’ll win the war.”

“And you would have died again, without me even knowing you were alive.” Buffy gripped his thighs with Slayer strength, trying to convey both anger and love in her touch.

“Don’t know what to say, Buffy,” Spike said sheepishly. “Thought I was making the right decision.”

“Listen, Spike. I don’t want to go over this anymore. We’ve got some making up to do and not a whole lot of time to do it.” She stood and held out her hand, waiting for him to take it.

Spike reached out without hesitation and she pulled him to his feet. They headed upstairs, fingers entwined, and Buffy led them into her room. Spike quietly shut the door behind them, and they just stood, looking at each other, both unsure of their next move.

Two years ago, neither had been shy about making the first advance. Last year had been about finding intimacy on a spiritual and mental level. And the past few months had been spent mourning each other, Spike over unrequited love, and Buffy over love unrealized. Now Spike knew Buffy loved him, and Buffy knew Spike was real. As they each came to the realization that they were wasting precious moments, their bodies glided towards one another until Buffy was in Spike’s arms.

“Say it again, Buffy,” Spike whispered against her hair.

Buffy cradled his face in her hands and stroked his cheekbones with her thumbs. She looked right into the warm pools of blue that were his eyes and told him.

“I love you, Spike.” In a heartbeat his lips were on hers and the world fell away from Buffy. She felt one of his hands on the small of her back and the other between her shoulder blades, pulling her flush to him. She twined her arms around his neck and let herself be swept away in the tide of their passion.

Four years in the making, since their first ill-fated kiss under Willow’s spell, had led them here; a place in time where they were finally of one mind, one heart, and one soul. There were no doubts and no guilt as they undressed each other and fell onto the bed.

Their lovemaking was slow and tender. Buffy ran her hands over every inch of his hardened body, committing his lines and muscles to memory. Spike was enraptured; she’d never shown him this level of affection in bed before. The sensation of her warm hands gliding across his body was almost too much to bear. It had been over two years since he’d been inside her and he couldn’t wait any longer.

They lay side by side as he reached out to touch her body, much as she was touching his. He caressed each of her soft, firm breasts and skimmed his hand down her side before coming to rest in the hollow of her waist. He slid his strong arm around her middle and pulled her closer, their bodies now pressed firmly together. As his lips fastened onto hers he raised her top leg, resting it atop his hip.

Buffy gasped when she felt the probing head of his rock-hard erection push against her slick cleft. Spike teased her a bit, gliding along the length of her opening, but not seeking entrance. Her hips bucked as she tried to fill the aching emptiness that had plagued her since she’d broken off their damaged relationship two years before.

“God, Spike, need you now; need you so bad,” she panted, grabbing his slender hips and forcing him inside with one firm push, and shifting so she lay below him. The two lovers cried out in pleasure as their hearts and souls were joined in time with their bodies. Spike finally came to his senses and began thrusting slow and deep into her warm core, setting a pleasurable pace that conveyed all his love and passion for the woman in his arms.

“Christ, Buffy! I missed you… love you so much…missed this; missed being inside you.” Spike spoke endearments of love while their hands grabbed and pulled, trying to get closer. Buffy wanted to suck Spike inside her and never let go. She finally felt complete after struggling for several years to find a balance between her life as a woman and the Slayer. She had to choke back a sob when she thought of all the heartache they’d suffered through just to get to this point.

But she wouldn’t change a thing. She’d do it all over again so they could end up here; together and in love, with no guilt, anger, denial, or shame.

Buffy came to a realization as she felt the approach of her orgasm. It was not a new thought since it had been part of her secret dreams for a while. She grabbed Spike’s hips and stilled them so she could tell him what she wanted.

Confusion replaced pleasure on his face as Spike made to pull out of her.

“Don’t…just stay there for a minute, please?” she said breathlessly.

“What is it pet? Am I hurting you?” Concern hung heavy in his voice.

“No, no. It’s perfect. It doesn’t get any better then this.” Her hands began caressing his back and he gentled against her. “In fact,” she continued, “I’ll never want anything else. Or anyone else.”

“You know I feel the same way, luv.” His hips wiggled against hers. “Can we continue now? Hmmm?” And there was the smirk she knew and loved.

“Yes, but…oh God…no…just a minute…ohhhh….Spike! Wait, please!”

The vampire huffed and laid his head on her shoulder. “What is it, Buffy?”

“Look at me, please?” she pleaded. He brought himself up on his elbows and kissed her briefly before giving her his full attention. “I know that you would probably never want to get married, even if we could, a-a-and even if there was time, but I need for you to know…that’s what I want, or you know, if you wanted it, and…”

“Buffy, luv, breathe. You’re channeling Red.” Spike softened his words with another kiss. “What are you trying to tell me?”

“I want this…forever.”

Spike’s head flew back like he’d been hit. “You want me to make you a vampire?”

“No, no, not that kind of forever. Till the end of the world forever. I just wanted you to know that I’m yours.”

“God, Buffy…that’s just….oh, Christ.” Words failed both of them as Spike began thrusting harder. They hit their peaks simultaneously and thrashed in each others arms until the tremors passed. Each was held tight by the other and lips met in passionate kisses, indicating that the lovers were not quite finished yet.

Spike pulled away first and looked at Buffy intensely. “Did you mean it pet? That you’d marry me?”

The beautiful woman lying under him nodded her head. “In a heartbeat. Well, mine, of course,” she smiled.

Spike was thoughtful for a moment before speaking again. “There’s something we could do, but I’m not sure you’d approve.” He closed his eyes and was silent again. Buffy gave him a verbal shove by asking him to just say it.

“We can mate,” he said softly. His eyes flew open in surprise when Buffy asked him about it.

“How do we do that?”

“It would involve biting and marking.” His tone was cautious, knowing she’d never allow herself to be bitten again, not since that ponce Dracula had worked his gypsy mojo on her and gotten a taste.

“Keep going,” she urged.

Blinking slowly as if to reassure himself this conversation was actually taking place, he continued.

“Right, then. We shag again, only this time, we bite each other when we come. We make a promise to belong to one another and drink.”

“Drink? Champagne or something?”

“No, you silly girl,” and he smiled and kissed her softly. “Each other’s blood. That’s it, then. We’d be mated until death do us part, a bond recognized by most demons, but meaning nothing to humans.”

“Okay. Let’s do it.”

Spike grew hard again hearing the acquiescence in her voice, but knew she couldn’t possibly want the mating and all it entailed. “Buffy, luv, this is serious.”

“I am being serious.”

“But if we both survive this battle…”

“No,” she interrupted. “This is not because we’re facing another apocalypse. It’s because I love you and want to be with you always. And I don’t want you to doubt that ever again.”

A tender hand reached up to cup her cheek. “Oh, luv. I won’t. And you don’t need to prove anything to me.”

“But do you want it? Do you want me to be your mate?”

“God, yes, Buffy. More than anything. Just understand, there’s no going back. There’s no divorce. If we’re still alive tomorrow, you’re stuck with me.”

“I can live with stuck.” She thrust her hips into his, a slow ignition of pleasure beginning its burn along their bodies. They began their dance anew, only to pause for one more issue.

“Angel’s gonna know.” Spike hated to bring it up, but she needed to be forewarned.

“Crap.” She sagged against him and Spike braced himself. He knew she’d never gotten over that great git, and just when he thought he might have a chance to make her his, Peaches got in the way again.

“Spike?” He seemed lost in thought and didn’t hear her. “Spike?” A little louder this time, and with a caress to his cheek. He finally tuned into her, defeat written on his face.
“Oh, baby, it’s not what you think,” she soothed, kissing him forcefully.

They finally broke apart, but Spike was still not placated. “Why do I doubt that, Slayer? He’s always popping up at the most inconvenient times.”

“I know, and that’s what I want to tell you.” Spike was quiet, so she continued. “That night he came to Sunnydale and gave me the amulet, I was thrown for a loop. I hadn’t expected to see him, but it was nice. No matter what, I will always care about him, just like a part of you will always love Dru. Right?” she prodded him, and got an affirmative grunt in response. She snuggled closer to Spike and ran a soothing hand up and down his arm and around his chest and belly.

“He knew we were together, and I didn’t deny it, but…” she lifted up on an elbow and looked into Spike’s eyes. “I’m sorry. I really messed up, and at the time it made sense, but now I feel horrible. Spike, you know I love you? Right?” A hysterical note crept into her voice and Spike reassured her.

“I know love. It’s okay now. Go on.”

“I don’t want to hurt you, but when Angel sees us, he might bring it up. And I’m done with secrets and hiding.” He nodded, and brought a hand up to tangle in her hair, petting her, showing his affection. “He wanted to know if you were my boyfriend, and all I could say was that you were in my heart. I just couldn’t let him go under those circumstances, and I probably led him on a bit.” She burrowed closer to Spike, trying to apologize with her body. Her voice dropped to a regretful whisper. “I told him I couldn’t see fat grandbabies in our future, and I gave him this lame analogy about being cookie dough, and not being baked and then I told him that when I was baked I might come back to him. But then you burned up in the Hellmouth and it hurt so much, and you came back and I know I’m cookies now, and…

Spike was shaking and Buffy was nearly distraught. “You have to believe me, Spike! I’m so sorry!” She turned his face up, willing him to see the love in her eyes and stopped cold. He wasn’t crying; he was laughing!

“Cookie dough?” he snorted.

“It was the best I could do at the time! I was dis..dis..discombobulated!” Then she joined in the laughter and the tension abated. “I should have been honest with him, but he’d come all that way, brought the amulet, and I was sending him packing. I guess I just wanted him to think I was grateful.”

“Buffy, it’s okay. All that matters is that we’re here now, and I’m glad you were honest with me. It gives me some good material to work with when Angel starts poking his fangs where they don’t belong. He’s going to give us a hard time, especially since you were stringing him along.”

“Rub it in, why don’t you? Facing him will be difficult. I know that my friends probably won’t be thrilled, either. But I’m done putting their needs above my own. This is for us, and what we want, and as long as you’re by my side, it’ll be okay.”

“That’s right, luv, just for us. I know it’s not a park with indirect sunlight, but this is all I could do on short notice.” He rolled off her, sweeping his hand around the room. She giggled as he grabbed her hand and scooted up to the headboard of the bed, pulling her with him.

“This is fine. I wouldn’t want to be Mrs. Big Pile of Dust anyway. And what are you doing?” she asked when he began arranging pillows behind his back and bounced backwards into them a few times.

“I’m getting comfy. Now, c’mere, luv,” he said, voice sultry and demanding. Buffy climbed up his body and sat in his lap.

“This is new.”

“It’s a good position for what we’re gonna do.” His lips ghosted over the shell of her ear and he dropped to a whisper. “And it’s very intimate. You never wanted to be this close to me before.”

“I was an idiot before,” she whispered back, lifting up and preparing to settle back down on his cock. Spike’s hands traveled from her shoulders to hips and guided her home. Twin gasps filled the room as he seated himself fully within. Buffy tried to set a rhythm but Spike tightened his grasp at her waist and stilled her.

“When it’s time, luv, we’ll say some pretty words to each other, like wedding vows. I’ll go first, so you know what to do. Then I’ll claim you as mine, and call you my mate. After that, I’ll bite and take some of your blood. You do the same and that’s that. Into the breach and all that.” His hands moved up to cup her face and he leaned in so they were nose to nose. “Are you ready, sweetling?”

“Ready, Randy,” she replied with a smile and hip thrust.

“Saucy girl!” His growl hit Buffy in all the good spots and she began to ride him in earnest, her arms clutching his shoulders with slayer strength, knowing he could take it. Spike’s hands were everywhere as she moved over him; cupping and thumbing her nipples, light spanks on her ass to encourage her movements, caressing her flanks and tickling the inside of her knee to stutter her rhythm.

They climbed ever higher, moving to the music of their love, until Spike grasped her around the waist with one hand and used the other to move her hair to the side and pushed her neck towards his mouth. Buffy squirmed in his tight grip, the Slayer instinctively wanting to be away from the face that was morphing. But the woman in love trumped the warrior and submitted to the demon she had chosen for her mate.

Spike nudged her chin with his nose, causing her to look at him, and he spoke. “Buffy, my love, my Queen; you have tamed the demon I am and nurtured the man within. You have forgiven the trespasses I committed against you and gave me hope where there was none. You believed in me and gave me your trust. Now you have entrusted me with your heart and desire to form an unbreakable bond. I now claim you as mine, and take you as mate.

Buffy was stunned by his poetic declaration and barely noticed her neck being positioned for the bite. The sting was brief and she felt the suckling from the tips of her nipples to the clench of her pussy. Her head was thrown back in ecstasy but she was denied from reaching her peak as Spike continued to hold her immobile. The glorious sensations coming from her neck stopped and gulped great breaths while she tried to find her voice. Spike retracted his fangs and laved his mark with an agile tongue, petting and stroking to calm her down.

She finally drew in a deep breath and responded in kind. “Spike, my love, my protector; you have watched my back and cared for my family. You believed in me when no one else did, and gave me the will to live when I wanted to die again. You have loved me without condition or judgement and have proven to be a worthy mate to the Slayer. I now claim you as mine, and take you as mate. She saw tears in her lover’s eyes before he closed them and tilted his head to the side, giving her easy access to his neck. She lowered her lips to the pale flesh and placed a feather-light kiss where his pulse once beat. Knowing it would hurt him, she bit hard and fast to get the job done, and sucked hard, pulling his blood into her waiting mouth.

As she swallowed, the air around them crackled and popped, and sparks lit their nerve endings. She released his neck and licked it clean and a gold haze suffused their bodies. They felt sluggish yet excited, and their bodies yearned for completion. Opening themselves to the magic, they moved together, hips thrusting, each trying to give the other maximum pleasure. Buffy angled herself just the right way to create that wonderful friction and she froze, feeling the warmth from her clit travel on her nerve endings to the rest of her body. When the tension was at its peak she bounced mindlessly on Spike’s cock, and wailed, riding out the mother of all orgasms.

Spike had to let go when she cried out and he held her churning hips still as he spilled into her, pouring un-beating heart and newly acquired soul into her pliant body. He welcomed the cocoon of the binding magic, letting it surround and envelop him, until the crackling stopped and it was just them again, alone in the room with their breath coming deep and heavy.

There were no more words to be said as they locked eyes and slid into a more comfortable position, still connected, lying side by side, stroking each other’s faces and kissing softly. They were each conscious of the growing bond; it was a living thing between them. An awareness of love that was so tangible that you might be able to grasp it. Knowledge that no matter what, you belonged to someone, and they belonged to you.

TBC
Part Four by missus_grace
Author's Notes:
Thanks to all of you who reviewed. It feels good to get feedback! This is the final chapter. Hope you all enjoyed it.
^^^^^^^^


The newly mated pair was giggling as they descended the steps towards Spike’s basement apartment. Angel and the rest of his team were already inside and all conversation stopped as the door opened to let the newcomers in. Angel’s eyes widened in surprise when he saw Buffy follow Spike through the door.

“Buffy?” he asked, emotion evident in his voice. He inhaled deeply to capture her sweet scent, but was instead assaulted with the evidence of her recent coupling with Spike. His anger flared and the demon emerged of its own volition when he saw a fresh set of bite marks in her neck where his should have been. When he saw marks on Spike’s neck as well, he lunged for the blonde vamp in a burst of preternatural speed, wrapping the fingers of one hand around his poacher of a grand-childe’s throat.

The others could only watch in amazement as Spike grabbed Angel’s wrist and squeezed the pressure point, forcing the older vamp’s fingers to flex open. Spike continued to press while drawing Angel’s arm away from him. Angel’s knees started to buckle and he knew Spike could force him to his knees if he so desired. He was spared the indignity of that embarrassment when Spike abruptly released him. As much as it would have pleased him, Spike had no wish to demean Angel that way in front of his mates. It was not the time for it, and he knew the shock of his and Buffy’s mating was hurt enough for Angel.

Angel stood at his full height and shook off the demon as he realized the source of Spike’s strength. Slayer blood. Buffy must have let him feed from her during the mating. There’s no way he could hope to defeat Spike right now. And now he’d probably never again touch a platinum hair on the irritating vamp’s head, or else Buffy would have his. She’d made her choice, and he’d have to live with it.

His brooding was interrupted by the sound of her voice.

“Are you quite done yet?” she asked, crossing her arms with a petulant toss of her head.

“I’m sorry, Buffy…Spike.” He took a deep breath, as if to continue, but the Slayer had uncrossed her arms and lightly touched his forearm, letting him know they understood.

“Are you going to introduce me to your friends? They’re probably dying of curiosity by now.” She finally turned to get a good look at the others in the room and saw a familiar face. “Wes? Is that you?” She hardly recognized him from the nervous, tweed-wearing, pompous ass he’d been in Sunnydale. She’d seen him briefly, when they went to the Hyperion after Sunnydale collapsed, but he hadn’t looked as haggard and worn, as older and wiser as he did now.

“Hello, Buffy. It’s good to see you again.” Her former Watcher stood and held out his hand.

Buffy bypassed his outstretched hand and moved in for a hug. Wesley had an inkling of what was happening and looked at Spike for permission to hug his mate. Spike gave an imperceptible nod and Wes returned her embrace.

Angel cleared his throat and began making introductions. “Buffy, you remember Lorne and Gunn from last summer, when you stopped by after your battle with the First.” They murmured the appropriate “hellos” and “nice to see you’s.” He pointed at the blueish woman next. “Buffy, this is Illyria. Illyria, Buffy is the Slayer.” Buffy perused the God-king with an intense look.

“Hey…aren’t you…” but before she could complete her though, she saw Spike shaking his head and mouthing the word, ‘later,’ so she turned to the only person in the room who didn’t look familiar. Angel supplied the introduction. “And this is Lindsey. He used to work for Wolfram and Heart and wants to see them go down as much as the rest of us. Buffy nodded at Lindsey and turned towards Angel so he could continue.

With the exception of Wes, others were still a little rattled by the behavior of their boss towards Spike, although they all knew of the vampires’ history with Buffy. It was Illyria who finally shed some illumination on the situation.

“Interesting,” she said, looking at Buffy with a tilt of her head. “Your destiny is to slay vampires, yet you mate with one instead. And Angel is jealous. It is why he attacked Spike.”

There was a moment of silence before several of the group began talking at once. Angel hung his head, Buffy’s cheeks reddened, and Spike smirked, pleased that their mating was out in the open.

“Well which little fairy did you make a wish to in order to get this dream come true, you old tomcat?” Lorne quipped, trying to ease the tension in the small room.

“I don’t know,” Gunn replied. “But now Blondie Bear will be more insufferable than he already is. And what the hell did you do to Angel just now? If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you got super-strength on top of your super-strength.”

“It is common knowledge that the blood of a Slayer has enhancing effects on vampires,” Illyria stated. This started a new round of talking all at once until Spike whistled loudly.

“Alright, everyone listen up. Yes, Buffy and I are mated. Yes, Angel’s not happy about that. And no, the details are none of your business. Now I believe the big pouf has some assignments for us.”

There was protesting by three voices when Angel wanted to send Buffy with Gunn to the Senator’s campaign headquarters. Gunn wanted to prove that he could still take on a vamp or two after spending a year behind a desk, and Buffy and Spike did not want to be separated so quickly after their mating. But their protestations were half-hearted because they knew Angel was right. Gunn was, after all, still human and the most fragile of them all, save Wesley, who at least had magic on his side.

Everyone started leaving, heading off to complete their missions. Buffy asked Gunn to wait outside so she and Spike could face the onerous task of talking to Angel. But at first, no one said anything. Predictably, it was Spike who broke the silence.

“Bet you’re surprised, eh?”

“Surprise doesn’t begin to cover it,” he said, voice dangerously calm. “Do I want to even ask what happened?”

“I overheard the Immortal talking about your trip to Rome,” supplied Buffy. “I dumped him on the spot and caught the first plane out here. I…I found Spike first and things moved kinda fast, I guess…” Buffy moved closer to her mate and took his hand. “After what I told you in Sunnydale, well, I’m sure you didn’t expect this.”

“You led me to believe that Spike was a passing fancy. That you and I would have a future someday. For chrissakes, you told me you were cookie dough!” Buffy and Spike were slightly taken aback. The dark-haired vampire rarely raised his voice and nearly never swore.

“Leave her be!” Spike took a step toward his grandsire, ready to defend his girl. “She had a right to change her mind!”

“Change her mind, yes, but she just tied herself to you for eternity!”

“Hey! Cave-Vamps!” Buffy interjected. The two men stopped bickering and stared at her. “I’m sorry, Angel, okay? I meant what I said, but when Spike died in the Hellmouth, I had to deal with my feelings for him.” She looked at her love and he held up her hand and kissed her fingers, smiling softly at her. Turning back to Angel, she continued. “So I realized too late that I loved him, and when I heard that he was back…”

“Don’t forget the apocalypse, luv,” Spike added.

“Right. Can’t really have one of those without a Slayer, so I wanted to come for that, too!”

Angel gave her a sarcastic smile. “What if I said I needed you to hold the second front and sent you away?”

“Too late. You know, you could have called us. I get the idea that none of you expected to make it out of this.”

“It was made clear to me that I wasn’t trusted anymore.”

“Yeah, but…”

Spike interrupted. “Listen, children, we can point fingers and play the second-guessing game after we defeat Evil, Inc. I’m ready to rescue a baby, and Charlie-boy has probably gnawed off his own arm by now.” Angel watched with sick fascination as the lovers shared a tender but fierce kiss before Spike strode from the apartment. Buffy began to follow but stopped when Angel softly called her name.

“Are you happy with him?”

“Yeah, Angel, I really am.”

“I have a girlfriend now,” he said petulantly.

“You do?”

“Spike didn’t tell you?”

“No, he didn’t.”

“She’s a werewolf.”

“That’s good.”

“And I’m happy. But not too happy, because…you know.”

“I know.”

“Listen, Angel. I’ll always care about you. But we’re not the same people we were five years ago, and now I love Spike.”

“Enough to be with him forever? Did he tell you that you’re mated for life?”

“He did. He asked me several times if I wanted to go through with it. But I wanted it. It was my idea, after all.”

“You asked for it?”

“I did.”

“Oh. I guess this means we’re over for good.”

“We’ve been over for a while now, but neither of us wanted to admit it.”

“I don’t know. Maybe.”

Gunn knocked and stuck his head through the door. “C’mon, Blondie-two. What’s the hold up in here? If you’re causing Angel trouble I’m sure Blondie-one wouldn’t want to miss it.”

“I’m coming. Are we okay Angel?”

“Yeah. We’re okay. I’m not sure we’re gonna be okay in a few hours, but we’ll give the Senior Partners the fight of their lives, won’t we?”

Buffy smiled, anticipating the look on Angel’s face when her surprise showed up. “We will,” she answered, and they were off to save the world, again.


^^^^^^^^^

Angel looked around at what was left of his team and saw Gunn, Illyria, with blue-tinged tears running down her cheeks, Buffy, and Spike. Illyria had brought the news of Wesley’s death and vowed to avenge him. Lorne had warned him that his mission to kill Lindsey would be his last, so Angel knew this group was it. He was going to fight a demon horde with two vampires, a God with reduced powers, a Slayer and a human.
Determination showed in their faces as they turned to face the sounds of footsteps coming around the corner.

“I guess this is the cavalry,” Angel quipped as they assessed each other. Gunn was bleeding, but Buffy had deflected the vamp who was attacking him and he’d sustained only a flesh wound. Spike and Angel looked battered, but both were ready to continue the fight.

“You’re wrong, Angel.” Buffy spoke after planting a soft kiss on Spike’s lips. She waved her hand at the others. “We’re not the cavalry; they are.” She pointed down the alley and they witnessed an incredible sight. Wave after wave of people flowed from the opening of a shimmering portal at the mouth of the alley. Angel recognized Giles and Xander at the front, gripping lethal-looking weapons, followed by Willow and what he could only assume were dozens of the newly minted Slayers and Wiccans.

“Haven’t you figured out by now that the good guys always win?” Buffy quipped, a wide smile spreading across her face. Angel almost shed tears when he saw Connor drop down from the fire escape. Father and son shared a quick embrace and a look of understanding before readying for the fight. Spike could see that the portal had closed, and almost did a double-take when he noticed a group of heavily armed, black-clad humans, recognizing Riley Finn at the front. Riley threw Spike a smart salute and turned to his men, issuing last minute orders no doubt.

The white hats could see the enemy at the other end of the alley. Dozens of demons were bearing down on them, but they were ready now. Spike and Buffy clasped hands and shared another quick kiss, mouthing “I love you’s;” unsaid promises written in their expressions. There would be time for talking and loving later. Right now they had another apocalypse to avert, then they could begin their life anew, vampire and slayer, together against all odds.

finis
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=18746