Nursery blues by LoobyLoo
Summary: Joyce Summers is a nursery school teacher, and Buffy her only daughter was in her class. One day a little boy called William was bought to her school, and instantly, both Summers’ ladies were smitten with him……………
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: Yes Word count: 137025 Read: 28271 Published: 07/19/2006 Updated: 05/23/2007

1. Chapter 1 by LoobyLoo

2. Chapter 2 by LoobyLoo

3. Chapter 3 by LoobyLoo

4. Chapter 4 by LoobyLoo

5. Chapter 5 by LoobyLoo

6. Chapter 6 by LoobyLoo

7. Chapter 7 by LoobyLoo

8. Chapter 8 by LoobyLoo

9. Chapter 9 by LoobyLoo

10. Chapter 10 by LoobyLoo

11. Chapter 11 by LoobyLoo

12. Chapter 12 by LoobyLoo

13. Chapter 13 by LoobyLoo

14. Chapter 14 by LoobyLoo

15. Chapter 15 by LoobyLoo

16. Chapter 16 by LoobyLoo

17. chapter 17 by LoobyLoo

18. chapter 18 by LoobyLoo

19. Chapter 19 by LoobyLoo

20. Chapter 20 by LoobyLoo

21. Chapter 21 by LoobyLoo

22. chapter 22 by LoobyLoo

23. chapter 23 by LoobyLoo

24. Chapter 24 by LoobyLoo

25. Chapter 25 by LoobyLoo

26. Chapter 26 by LoobyLoo

27. Chapter 27 by LoobyLoo

28. chapter 28 by LoobyLoo

29. chapter 29 by LoobyLoo

30. Chapter 30 by LoobyLoo

31. Chapter 31 by LoobyLoo

32. Chapter 32 by LoobyLoo

33. Chapter 33 and Epilogue by LoobyLoo

Chapter 1 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Somebody asked me to write a fic where all the gang were children......
Nursery Blues!
Story by LoobyLoo
Rating U
Disclaimer: I own none of these characters, this is just for fun.





Chapter 1



“Now, Willow, come on…come on poppet…look all the other children are drinking their milk and eating their cookies, won’t you try one?”
Joyce was trying to coax the shy little redhead out of the Wendy house. Willow looked at Joyce big eyed.

“Can I have ‘nother cookie please Mrs Summers?”

“Here you go then Xander…would you give this one to Willow for me please?”
Xander took a cookie in each hand, and went into the Wendy house.

“Ha-ha, Xander’s a sissy! – Playin’ wiv the girlies!”

“Angel, be quiet, be a good little boy”
Angel just grinned. Cordelia was sticky, and she didn’t like being sticky, so she wiped her hands on the teacher’s skirt.

“Cordelia…come on, let me wipe your hands…Angel, stop that, its naughty!” Miss Callender said.

“What’s he doing now?” Joyce asked

“Sticking his tongue out to Cordelia.” Buffy drank all her milk, holding the cup with both hands, then placed it carefully on the side.

“Your ribbon looks stupid! – And who wears blue, blue is a boys colour!” Cordelia said, giving the bow a tug, and pulling some hair too. Buffy’s bottom lip trembled.

“Cordelia, you play nice, or I’ll put you in the naughty corner!” Mrs Summers said, then she went over to where her daughter was sitting.

“Come on, let me…Buffy, sit still, I’m just going to re-tie your bow, and-“

“No. ‘Delia says its stupid and blue is wrong!” Buffy pouted, arms folding across her chest. Wriggling so her mother couldn’t tie it properly. Joyce sighed.

“Oh look…” Jenny Callender said, nodding towards the Wendy house. Joyce turned around, saw that young Xander was holding Willow by the hand. She looked shyly at him, and allowed him to take her over to the ‘activities table’ where they sat down, and began to do some colouring in.

“Good, I’m glad, she’s such a timid little thing, so sweet!” Joyce said. Buffy began to get off the chair, and Joyce turned back to her daughter. She saw that Buffy had pulled the ribbon out of her hair altogether, and it had dropped to the floor. Joyce sighed, picked it up.

“Never mind…only another four hours to go!” Jenny said with a grin. “James…calm down, don’t run round like that, you’ll fall!” Jenny called, trying to calm a boisterous boy who seemed to only have two speeds, full pelt, and stop!

Angel thought that it looked like a jolly good game, especially when they added a, nnneeeeeooooowwww! Noise with out stretched arms, then a rapid duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh! Sound to emulate machine gun fire.

“P-choo, p-choo, got you, Harris…nnneeeoowww, this is red leader…enemy in sight, repeat, enemy in sight…oh, no, gotta climb above the mountain red leader…Nneeeooooowwww! Bandits at six o’clock! P-choo, p-choo, p-choo! Red leader…come in”

“Angel, James, will you two please sit down and play nicely, why don’t you do some colouring in?” Angel looked horrified at this.

“Playing Top Gun…don’t wanna do colouring…its for sissies, like Xander, he plays with the girls!”

“There’s nothing sissy about playing with girls!” Joyce said, squatting down in front of him. Stroking the sticky up hair of his.

“It is too- they are all squishy and soft, and when you play they fall over, they’re not brave and they cry, then I get told off for nothing!” Angel said, his face all screwed up and petulant. Joyce’s attention wandered across to a sudden tug-of-war taking place between her daughter and Cordelia.

“S’mine!”

“No, it’s not!”

“Is”

“Isn’t”

“Is!”

“A –a, careful now Cordelia, you’ll (RRRIIIPPP!) hmm, rip it. Oh dear…let me look”

“That’s my dolly!” Buffy cried out tremulously, then she pouted, her bottom lip trembling. Tears blurring the rip in the doll’s dress.

“Have it…she’s got a stupid dress on…and stupid hair…and a stupid name, like you…what’s Buffy…it’s made up – and whoever heard of a dolly called-“ Jenny Callender spoke up.

“Ok…listen children…quiet please… (She clapped her hands together) quiet…Nathan, shush…ok, right, we have a new little boy starting…his name is William, now, be nice to him, as it’s his first day, say hello to him”

“Hello William” Xander said.

“Hello” Willow said.

A few other children said hello.

William looked round the room. Joyce took his hand, and the lady holding his other hand squatted down.

“Ok William, you’re going to make some new friends…you be a good boy, and I’ll come and pick you up later, ok?” William nodded.

“There’s a good boy, see you later”

“He’ll be fine” Joyce said.

“He’s generally a quiet little boy…he thinks a lot…but he’s not usually any trouble at the home, his room is always tidy…too tidy I sometimes think for a five year old…” The social services lady smiled fondly at him.

“Ok, now William, Joyce said, squatting down in front of him…do you want some juice or milk?” she looked into the bluest eyes she’d ever seen.

William shrugged.

“Don’t mind”

“Ok, I’ll give you juice…want a cookie?” William took a cookie off the plate

“Ok, William, you sit there, till you’ve finished, then we will find you something to do, ok?” Joyce said. She tousled his head. Jenny came over with Buffy’s doll.

“Wish they were all quiet like him! This will easily mend” she brandished the doll at Joyce.

“Poor kid…he lost both parents a few months ago, and is still in foster care until they can find him a proper home” Joyce told Jenny.

“Oh…what a shame…gods, aren’t they the most beautiful blue eyes you ever saw?”

There was a crash and a wail, and the two women’s attention was shifted from William and his beautiful blue eyes, to Angel.

“Oh gods, what now! Angel…what did I tell you about running around”

“You didn’t, you told James, not me…anyway…it wasn’t me!” Considering that it was Angel, sitting next to an overturned table, a once neatly stacked pile of comics strewn about, and two cups of half drank milk spilled on the floor, he’d have some difficulty convincing her that it was the tables fault!

Buffy hadn’t taken her eyes off the new boy since he’d come into the class. She just knew that she had to talk to him.

“Hello” Buffy went over to where William was sitting. He eyed her up, then said,

“Hello”

“Hello, my names Cordelia, don’t play with her, because her mom’s the boss lady teacher, she thinks she owns it here and she doesn’t!” Cordelia flicked her head, she’d shoved Buffy out of the way. Buffy looked really sad.

“Don’t push her!” William stood up, went over to Buffy.

“Are you ok?” William asked Buffy

“I’m talking to you, come and play in the Wendy house with me” Cordelia said, pulling William’s arm.

“No, get off…”

“You talk funny…don’t want to play with you…nyerr! Cordelia stuck her tongue out and stalked off.

“What’s your name?”

“Buffy”

“Buffy? Never heard that name before”

“It’s my name, and it’s not stupid!” Buffy glared at him.

“Didn’t say it was stupid.”

“Delia’s said you talk funny…why?”

“Coz I don’t come from around here, that’s why.”

“Where do you live?”

“St Chad’s foster home”

“What’s a foster home…where does your mom work?”
William looked down, sad.

“Haven’t got a mom or dad…they got hurt and went away” William said

“Where to? Will they come back and fetch you?” Buffy asked.
William shook his head.

“Nah…they’re dead…got to find a new home”

“Dead? - Like, like Fluffy, not coming back ever, ever, ever?” Buffy asked big eyed, shaking her head. Again William shook his head.

“What’s Fluffy?” He asked Buffy. She looked at him.

“My rabbit…he got sick…and died, and mom said he’d gone to heaven to be with the angels”
Buffy looked big eyed still.

“Aren’t you sad?” Buffy asked, not being able to imagine her mom and dad not being around her.

“Sometimes…when I look at their pictures I want them to come back…but they can’t”
The conversation her daughter was having with the new boy bought tears to Joyce’s eyes.

“Wanna play war?” Angel stood over them.

“Nah. I’m going to do some writing”

“WRITING?…Why?” Angel asked incredulously, writing was work!

“I like it”

“Cordelia said you talk funny…you do”

“So do you”

“I don’t”

“You sound funny to me…and your hair sticks up!” William said. Angel scowled and kicked William.

“Angel! Go and sit over there, and leave William alone” Joyce scolded.

Angel glared at William for getting him told off…he’d ‘fix’ him later, when ‘Miss’ wasn’t looking.

William went over to the ‘activities table’, and said,

“Can I have this and this?” To Willow. She nodded as William picked up a piece of paper and a pencil.

But he didn’t sit at the table, he went back over to where he had been sitting, and lay on the floor on his stomach. Concentrating, his tongue in the corner of his mouth, his heels occasionally hitting his bottom as he gently swung his legs back.

“What’s he doing?” Jenny asked.

“Who’s bothered as long as he’s quiet, he seems very advanced for a five year old.” Joyce said. Buffy sat on the floor by him.

“You can draw good…better than Xander…is that an aeroplane?”

“Yes…I came here on an aeroplane” William said.

Buffy went big eyed.

“Today?”

“No…ages ago…I lived in England”

“England…my mommy and daddy went there for a vacation…I didn’t go though, don’t know where I was, it was for after they got married, did you see them?” Buffy asked.

“No…don’t think so,” William said, without looking up. So engrossed in conversation, they didn’t see James and Angel sneak up on them, and Angel snatched the paper from underneath William’s body, and grinned.

“Give it back” William said angrily.

“Ha ha, no…this is a stupid story…’One day a pol-ice- Policeman came to the door and said my mom and dad had an ac…aci- acci-dent and they were dead and I came on an aeroplane to live with my aunt but she got sick and I live at St Chad’s’……… you haven’t been on an aeroplane!” Angel looked at him, scowling.

“Have to”

“Liar”

“I’m not”

“He’s not lying!” Buffy said.

“How do you know?”

“Coz he told me” Buffy huffed, folding her arms across her chest.

“You know…I don’t know why that child is called Angel, he’s anything but…”Joyce said to Jenny.

“Angel, give William back his story…NOW”

“He’s lying, miss…he say’s he’s been on an aeroplane” Angel said, smiling, knowing that William would be told off for telling lies.

“That’s right Angel, he has, William comes from a different country, he comes from England…where the queen lives, Buckingham Palace, and the big red buses, and Tower Bridge, remember you saw the pictures, of that statue and all the lions and the fountains, it’s called Trafalgar Square, that’s where William comes from” Buffy looked huge eyed again!

“You lived with the queen?”

“No. But I know where she lived, seen her palace, loads of times” William said with a slight boast to his voice.

“Did she wear her crown?”

“Dunno…saw her once, she was in a carriage…and there was policemen on horses, and the one horse…”(he began to giggle)

“What did he do?”

“He did a big poo in the road!” Buffy looked shocked, Angel and James began to laugh.

“Mommy! William said he saw the queen and there was a horse and it…it…did…” She went red.

“What baby, hmm?” Joyce smoothed her hair out of her eyes.

“He said it did a poo” she whispered

“Oh…well, they can’t go to the toilet like us.”

“So, it’s true then?” Her eyes big and round.

“Um…well yes, I suppose it is”

“It’s a shame mommy…his mommy and daddy got hurted real bad, and they’re not coming for him ever, ever, ever…do you think that they would see Fluffy?”

“I’m sure they would baby” Joyce smiled and stroked her daughter’s hair. There was another crash and a wail, but this time, it didn’t involve either James or Angel. Jenny went to sort it. Cordelia wandered over from playing dress-up with the dolls.

“Cordelia, William saw a horse and it did a big poo in the road!” James said giggling. Cordelia wasn’t in the slightest bit impressed!
Joyce sighed. Why do kids have such scatological senses of humour?

“My tortoise did a poo on me last week!” Cordelia said

“My baby sister does a poo in her diaper!” Nathan piped up.

“Ok…ok, that’s enough now…come on…oh…are you alright Willow?” Jenny asked, noticing that Willow looked upset. Kneeling down next to her, Jenny saw a huge tear run down her face.

“Sor-ry!” she was holding on tight to a yellow wax crayon that had broken in half.

“That’s alright sweetheart, I’m not going to shout…they break easily, there. Nothing to worry about…ok?” Jenny said softly, she rubbed her hand gently and Willow relaxed.

“You can have mine” Xander said giving Willow his yellow crayon.

“There you go, that was nice of Xander, wasn’t it?” Willow smiled and nodded.

“So…what do we say?”

“Thankyou, Xander”

“There’s a good girl…”

“Ok…come along then children…lets play a game, shall we? What shall we play…Simon says…or I spy…or I know, let’s play the alphabet game” Joyce said.

“YEAH!” Most of the kids shouted, jumping up and down. They all sat in front of Miss Callender and Mrs Summers. William sat on the end, Buffy sat next to him. Angel sat behind them.

“Will you be my friend?” Buffy said to William. Thinking for a few seconds, William nodded.

“Ok” Buffy smiled and held his hand. William looked down at their entwined fingers; decided he liked it, and didn’t pull away. Angel narrowed his eyes. Hmm, how could he pull Buffy’s hair now…that William was going to look after her?

They played the alphabet game, now it was time to sing songs.

“The wheels on the bus go round and round…”Miss Callender sang out. The children sang too, did the actions. Angel took every opportunity to bump or knock the two in front of him.

“Stop it!” Buffy hissed at Angel. He tried to look innocent.

“The bell on the bus goes ring, ring, ring!” For the pressing action, Angel thought it funny to press William in the back.

Buffy stood up, hands on her hips and turned to Angel.

“Stop hurted-ing my friend!”

“He’s not hurting me,” William said.

”Ok, ok, settle down. Angel, you come and sit at the front”

“No!”

“Angel, you come here, now, and sit between Riley and Nathan”

“I hate Riley, he smells!”

“I don’t!”

“Do”

“Don’t”

“Do”

“I d…”

“That’s enough! If you don’t behave yourself…I’ll send you to Mrs Cummings’ dancing class with all the older girls, now, do as you’re told!”

Angel reluctantly stomped over and sat where Miss Callender pointed, but giving Riley a sly pinch as he sat down.

“OW!” Riley frowned and punched Angel on the arm. She was just about to admonish them both, when she noticed what James was doing.

There was a wail, and she had to rescue a little boy called Simon, from having a broken wax crayon inserted into his nose by James.

“Dinner time…come on, time to wash your hands…

Eventually they had all settled to eating their lunch; Jenny keeping a watchful eye on the proceedings. Joyce began to feed one of the babies they had there. Winding her, Joyce started again on the last half of the bottle.

Another baby cried in the background.

“Turn it off mommy…it’s too noisy!” Buffy put her hands over her ears.

“I wish!” Joyce sighed, going over to replace the lost soother from the baby’s mouth. As Angel took his plate to the serving hatch, he thought it funny to press Xander’s nose into his yoghurt. Xander blinked, yoghurt dripped from his face. James laughed and Willow began to cry. Cordelia had a fit because Xander had dripped yoghurt on her best dress, and Simon was trying to get wax crayon from up his nose, via a finger. William sat quietly. Joyce knelt down by him.

“Do you like it here, William?” She smiled. He shook his head.

“Not really…it’s…” he shrugged.

“Do you want to do some more writing, or drawing?”

“No thankyou.”

“What would you like to do?” he shrugged.

“I wanted to play with the cars, but Angel said I couldn’t”

“Ok honey…you go and choose something you want to play with out of the box, you can play with the cars if you want to, take no notice what Angel or the other’s tell you, ok, I’ll make sure Angel doesn’t bother you”

“I’m not scared of him”

“I know baby”

“Why do you call me baby…I’m not”

“I’m sorry, you’re right, you’re a big boy now” Joyce smiled.

“Are you Buffy’s mom?”

“Yes, yes I am”

“Buffy’s my friend”

“Well, that’s good!” Joyce grinned, resisting the urge to hug the little boy. She wanted to cuddle him; she thought he’d probably not had a cuddle in ages.

“She said I could come to tea…could I?” William looked up. His blue eyes looked hopeful. Smoothing his hair out of his eyes, Joyce squatted in front of him

“Well, let’s see what Mrs Betts says from the home, shall we? – If she says yes, then you can come” William nodded at this, happy.

“Mommy!” Buffy came skipping over to them.

“Yes love?”

“William can come to tea, can’t he, he can play on the Jungle Gym…he’s never seen one”

“Well, like I said, we’ll have to ask Mrs Betts if he can come”

“But mommy! Mrs Betts isn’t his mommy, so she can’t say no!” Buffy reasoned, rubbing her mother’s arm.

“Darling, I know Mrs Betts isn’t William’s mommy, but she looks after him, we must ask her first”

“When she comes, you will ask, won’t you”

“Ok darling, I’ll ask”

“Good, come on William, you can be the policeman and arrest Angel for being naughty” Buffy held William’s hand and they went off together.

“Hmm…your daughter seems to have taken a shine to that new lad!” Jenny said. She sat, and fed a tiny baby.

“Golly…why do the moms have babies only to leave them in somebody else’s care, how old is that little one?” Joyce tickled the baby’s cheek with the back of her index finger.

“Three months…she said she was, and I quote, ‘sick of the smell of sick, dirty nappies, and sleepless nights, and give her the boardroom any day’” Jenny said, shaking her head sadly. Joyce shook her head too.

“Some people don’t know when there well off…I’d have loved another, but, well I can’t. Had too bad a time having Buffy.”

“What’s that child doing now…Angel, stop trying to pick Susie up, you’ll drop her…James, Simon, stop fighting! Angel, Mind…mind the painting tab-“ (CRASH) Joyce closed her eyes.

“Two hours…only two hours to go…” She got up to go and sort things out.

****************************


“Why have I got to wear these, they’re not mine!” Angel groused, pulling at the baggy shorts.

“Because your trousers are wet, they had to be washed as they were covered in paint, now sit there and wait until these are dry”

“Why are you wearing those…they look stupid!” Cordelia told Angel on no uncertain terms.

“Angel wet himself…Angel is a baby, Angel is a baby!” James began to chant, a little song that a few others took up calling too.

“Alright, calm down…”

“I did not wet myself” Angel shouted hotly, going red in the face.

“Miss said your trousers got wet!”

“From the stupid paint!”

“Settle down…ok, come on, story time” Joyce sat on the chair, the children sat on the floor, looking up at her. Buffy sat next to William, held his hand tight. She put her head on his shoulder, and went to sleep.

“Just look at them,” Joyce said to Jenny.

Getting children’s coats, and seeing that they had the right drawings to take home, Joyce missed seeing Mrs Betts to ask about William, and him coming to tea.

Buffy was very cross. She made her mother promise to speak to Mrs Betts first thing in the morning.

When she got home, she was William this and William that, she didn’t shut up about him, prompting Hank, her father to ask just who this William was, when he came downstairs after reading his daughter a story.

“New boy at the nursery, it’s very sad” Joyce said.

“Well, she’s taken a right shine to him! – Even wants him to come to grandma’s on Sunday with us!”

“Does she? The lad’s up for adoption………………Hank…”
Chapter 2 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
This is for all the nice people who gave me feedback
Chapter 2

The following morning, being a teacher, Joyce and Buffy were some of the first to get to the school.
Buffy kept vigil by the door, and as soon as Mrs Betts arrived with William, Buffy went up to her, held her hand and pulled her further into the classroom.

“Mrs Betts, you must speak with my mommy, now”

“Oh…who is your…Oh, hello Mrs Summers…is everything alright?”
Buffy took a huge breath and said,

“This is my mommy, we want William to come to tea and play on my Jungle Gym, he hasn’t got a mommy but my mommy says we’ve got to ask you, as you look after him, please say yes you’ll let him come, please!”

“Well!” Mrs Betts laughed.

“Um…he was going to go to a foster family this weekend”

“Please?” Buffy looked up.

“Um…well, next week, perhaps”

“Tonight, please!” Buffy began to jig about, and get angsty.

“Buffy be a good girl and go play” Joyce said

“I want William to be with us, please mommy, please!” she was nearly crying now.

“She has taken a shine to him, hasn’t she?” Mrs Betts smiled.

“Everyone keeps saying that, she hasn’t shut up about him since she met him.

“Actually…I was chatting with my husband last night…um hold on, have you got time for a coffee?” Joyce asked. Mrs Betts looked at her watch. I’ve got to go to the family court at 10.30…but, yes, I have time”.

There were a few more children arriving, and Buffy and William went off.

When Mrs Betts left, Buffy came over to her mother.

“Can William come to tea?”

“Next week”

“Oh but mom-“

“Buffy…they have to check stuff out, then we might have a surprise, now, go play”

“Surprise?” Buffy looked at her mom, eyebrows raised. Joyce knew instantly it was a mistake to have told her that, she wouldn’t get a minutes peace now!

“Go and play, else he won’t be able to come, ever, now be good and we’ll see” Buffy ran off.

The week flew by, and the weekend, and on the following Monday, when William didn’t turn up for nursery class, Buffy was in absolute floods of tears, nothing would console her. Joyce phoned the home. William had gone to the foster family, and their dog had tripped him up, and he’d hurt his arm, it had to be all bandaged up.

“Oh, Buffy has been inconsolable all day!” Joyce said, then added,

“Um, I know it’s a bit soon, but any news?”

“Yes, actually as you are already a teacher and undergone the security checks by social services…”

Later on that evening…………………




“Where are we going?” Buffy asked. They didn’t usually go out after tea, not on a school night, she was intrigued.

“You’ll see, come on, let’s get that belt done up” Joyce strapped her in.

Hank came too. They drove for a while, and then pulled up outside a big old-fashioned red-bricked building.

“Gods, it looks a depressing place!” Hank said as he got out of the car.

“Are we here? – What’s this – where are we?” she quickly undid the clip of the safety belt and scrambled out when her daddy opened the door for her. She could read the sign, saw the words ‘foster home’

“Is William here?” Before they reached the top of the steps, Mrs Betts had the door open and was smiling at them.

“Come in, come in…through here, if you’d like to follow me”

She led the way down a corridor. Hank looked around, they’d tried to brighten the place up with pictures, photos, and a lick of bright paint, but, well, the place still looked like an institution.

“Here we are, the TV lounge.”

William was sitting in the chair, watching TV, his arm in a sling.

“William!” Buffy ran to him.

“Your all hurted! Mommy, look!” Buffy thought she might cry when she saw his arm all bandaged up.
Mrs Betts smiled, she hadn’t said anything to William about Buffy coming to see him.

Buffy ran over and hugged him, being careful about his arm. William looked really happy to see her and didn’t pull away when she held his hand. Hank smiled.

“This is my daddy” Buffy said proudly. Hank squatted down and looked at William.

“Hello, William, um, pleased to meet you” Hank held out his hand and hesitatingly, William shook it.

“Hello”
“Daddy, this is William and he hurted his arm, a big dog did it, and he doesn’t like it there, and he doesn’t have to go there again, so, can he come and have tea with us?” Hank smiled, he’d never seen Buffy so fired up before.

“We’ll see princess, see what Mrs Betts says, eh?”

“Hope she says yes!” Buffy said.

“Hank, come through?” Joyce said, calling her husband from the doorway.

“Now, will you two be alright while I go talk to your mommy and daddy?” Mrs Betts asked Buffy.

“Yes, I’m with William” Buffy said, holding his hand. The three adults smiled and left the room.

Buffy’s attention went back to William’s bandaged arm, and she frowned slightly, and then asked,

“Does it still hurt?”

“Bit…not too much” William said, being brave.

“Angel said you’d gone on an aeroplane today, so I hit him” Buffy said. They were sitting side by side, Buffy still holding his hand.

“Ooh, William’s got a girlfriend!” Two older children came into the room.

“Shut up, Michael” William said.

“Shan’t………is she your girlfriend?”
William ignored them.

“Leave him alone” Buffy said.

“Leave him alone” mimicked the older girl.

“Michael, Natalie, come on, it’s your bath time, and you William” A young girl called the older children.

“I can’t, my arm, I can’t get it wet, you’ve got to see Mrs Betts” William said.

“Oh. Well ok, you stay here then…who are you?” She asked Buffy.

“Buffy”

“Oh. Are you his sister?”

“No” Hearing voices, the girl looked up.

“William’s bath?” she asked Mrs Betts.

“Oh, um, leave it for tonight, I’ll sort it, thankyou Sharon” Mrs Betts said. The girl nodded and went off, taking the two older children with her. Buffy saw her mom and dad standing outside, still talking to Mrs Betts. She saw her dad holding a big brown envelope.

“Come on, let’s see if they’ll let you come” She helped him off the sofa, and opened the door carefully.

Can William come to tea?” Buffy looked up hopefully. Hank smiled and squatted down between them.

“Better than that, princess…how would you like to come and stay for the weekend, at our house?” Hank asked William, smiling. William beamed a big smile.

“Oh, yes please!” Buffy jumped up and down, so excitedly, babbling on about the Jungle Gym and swimming, then she said,

“I hope your arm will be better…” Mrs Betts and Joyce were both grinning at the children’s reaction.

“So, when?” Joyce asked, turning back to Mrs Betts.

“Um, tomorrow, 4.30pm. I’ve done all the necessary paperwork, and either a Mrs Collins or a Mrs Wilkes will come. It’s only a quick check, just a look round to see that your home is suitable for a child. There shouldn’t be a problem, as there already is a child in the house the same age…oh, he, um, he would have his own room?”

“Oh yes, don’t worry about that” Joyce said, making a quick mental note to clear out the spare bedroom when she got home.

“Good. Well, I’ll see you the weekend, then”

“Oh, William not coming to class then?”

“Well…”

“He can sit with us, he likes to be quiet anyway, he can read. Buffy won’t leave him alone!” Joyce said grinning.

“Just look at them…if they were ten years older, I’d be worried!” Hank said smiling. They were standing close together, foreheads touching, Buffy was rubbing his arm.

“That’s so sweet! Come on then”

“Could we…could we take them for ice cream?” Hank asked.

“What, now?” Mrs Betts asked.

“Yes, come too if you like” Hank said.
Mrs Betts hesitated, then relented.

“Oh…go on then, I’ll just get my coat”
Joyce smiled.

“Buffy, William!” they both just turned their heads in Joyce’s direction.

“Want to go for ice-cream?”

“Yeah!” they both said, and ran to the car. Hank let them in, and strapped them both in.

“Do you like football, William?”

“I supported Arsenal like my dad…your football is different here”

“Yes. But I like English football, my brother and I used to support a team called Manchester United, have you heard of them?” Hank asked.

“Oh yes, but Arsenal are way better than them though!” William said, smiling. Hank glanced through the driving mirror smiling at him.

He noticed that his daughter’s hand was holding William’s again!

After going for ice cream, Hank took them back to the home. It was nearly dark, and they both felt SO grown up being out at night.

“Ok then come on, say goodnight to William, Buffy.” Joyce said

“Goodnight William, see you in the morning…” she kissed his cheek, and gave him a hug. William went a little red, but he didn’t wipe the kiss off, as the adults expected him to do. They watched as Mrs Betts put her arm around his shoulder, and led him up the steps back inside. Hank bibbed the horn and they both turned and waved, Buffy blowing him kisses! Hank and Joyce didn’t discuss things until they got home and Buffy had gone to bed.

Well, he IS a really nice lad, and Buffy’s totally besotted with him…and I couldn’t leave him in a place like that, no matter how much they try with bright paint and pictures, it’ll always look like an institution.” Hank said.

“So…if this weekend works out, and we have a lot more…” Joyce began

“Lets see how the weekend goes, shall we, now, where’s that envelope, let’s get that form filled in shall we?” Hank said.


********************

Friday, 4.00pm

Joyce had bought a dark blue duvet cover and curtains, and put a poster of a big red sports car on the wall. She’d cleared out the wardrobe, and bedside table, and put a clock and a lamp on the side.

She was pleased that they’d painted the room in the New Year, chosen a neutral shade of Magnolia.

“There, what do you think? – Think William will like it?” Joyce asked Buffy. Buffy nodded her head slowly up and down thinking, and then ran and fetched Mr Ted, her favourite teddy, and sat him on the pillow.

“He can keep him company,” Buffy said, looking around

“That’s nice!” Joyce said, smiling.

“What time’s he coming?”

“Well, daddy is going to go and fetch him in a few minutes, do you want to go with him?”

“Yeah!” Buffy jumped up and down. She’d put her new jeans and sneakers on, and her pink tee shirt,

Joyce had put her hair up in a ponytail using a pretty pink scrunchie. She was SO excited; you wouldn’t have believed that she’d seen William half an hour previously at school.

“Right then love, I’m off” Hank said.

“Wait for me, daddy!”

“Oh, you’re coming too then, princess?” Buffy carefully ran down the stairs.

She opened the car door and scrambled in, Hank strapped her in.

When they got there, William was waiting, looking out of the window. Buffy was out of the straps and impatiently waited for her father to open the door for her. She bounded out and up the stairs to the home.

“William!” she hugged him and kissed his cheek, then felt for his hand.

“Oh, your bandage has gone!”

“Yes, took it off just. It’s nearly better now, look, the bruise has nearly gone.”

“Come on, let’s go!” they bounded to the car, William as eager as she was. Hank smiled and took William’s little suitcase off Mrs Betts.

“Good luck, but I’ve a feeling you won’t need it!” she said, smiling fondly at the two children waiting by the car.

“No, I don’t think we will!” Hank said grinning.

“Bye then”

“Bye-bye Mr Summers…Oh, er, no later than 7.30pm Sunday night, ok?”
Hank nodded, and then walked over to he car.

“Come on then let’s get you home, shall we go to MacDonald’s for tea after we’ve been shopping?”

“Yeah!” Both Buffy and William shouted, smiling.
He strapped the pair of them into the seat, and drove home.

Hank pulled up on the driveway. He got out, and as Buffy and William had already undone their seatbelts, he just had to open the door for them because of the child safety locks. The two children bounded into the house, leaving Hank to lock the car and bring in William’s little suitcase. Joyce had milk and cookies waiting for them.

“You’ve got your own room, Buffy will show you when you’ve finished your milk, ok?” Joyce said, squatting down by William. She lovingly stroked his hair from across his forehead. He nodded and said,

“Thankyou!”

“There’s a good boy. Now, Buffy, don’t start getting all your games out, we’ll be going shopping to the mall soon” Joyce warned her daughter.

“Ok mom…ready William?” William drained his glass, put it carefully on the counter, wiped his mouth on the back of his hand and nodded.

“Yes!”

“Come on then…” Buffy took his hand and led him upstairs.

“She’s a bit young, isn’t she?” Hank said, with a smile, putting the little suitcase at the bottom of the stairs.

“What’s that?” Joyce asked, smiling.

“Taking a boy upstairs!”

“Don’t tell me, she was leading him by the hand” Joyce asked, going into the kitchen to make coffee.

“Yes…as soon as I’d strapped them in the car, she was holding his hand!”


“…And this is Mr Ted…he’ll keep you company in the night. Do you like it?” Buffy asked, big eyed, hoping he would.

“Yeah…it’s great! I like that car, too” William said, pointing to the poster of the Ferrari.

“When you’re big, will you buy one and take me for a ride in it?” Buffy asked. William nodded and said,

“Oh yes!” They sat on the bed, legs swinging over the edge. Buffy noticed a slight greenish yellow tinge to his arm still.

“Does your arm still hurt?”

“Nah…well, not much” Buffy rubbed it, and William smiled, Buffy smiled too.

“It’ll be better now!” Buffy said, and William nodded in agreement.

“What’s your favourite food?” Buffy suddenly asked.

“Erm…sausages…and chips, ‘cept you call them fries over here…and chips are crisps, which is funny!” They both laughed.

“What do you like?” William asked.

“I like…pizza…and chicken. I love ice-cream”

“Me too”

“Chocolate”

“I like chocolate…and vanilla”

“I hate broccoli,” Buffy said, wrinkling her nose.

“Yuk! Me too…and cabbage…and sprouts”

“What are sprouts?”

“They’re green…like little cabbages…Yuk!”

“Angel made Xander eat a worm once…” Buffy said. They both giggled at this.

“Buffy…William…come on down, we’ll be going in a minute” Joyce called up the stairs. The two of them went down. Joyce took a phone call, and Hank was doing some writing in the den, so Buffy and William went out into the garden to wait.

“Buffy, stop showing off” Joyce called out; tapping the kitchen window to get her daughter’s attention. The phone call had taken longer than expected, and getting fed up of waiting, Buffy began to climb. She was hanging upside down from the top bar of the Jungle gym.

“I’m not frightened!” Buffy insisted, pulling herself up to a sitting position, then she leant forward, making her way hand over hand on the horizontal ladder, she slid through the bars and jumped off the bottom rung.

“That was clever” William said, full of admiration, he’d never met a girl who liked climbing before!

Buffy grinned and swelled with pride, and reaching for his hand, they raced off up the garden. Hank walked into the kitchen draining his coffee cup.

“Are they playing nicely?”

“Buffy’s showing off…look, they’re sitting on the swing together!” William was sitting properly; Buffy was facing him, sitting astride him on his lap! They swung gently.

“I can go really high!” Buffy was saying. Hank had come out into the garden to them.

“Not with two of you on it young lady…anyway, ready to come to the mall?” Hank asked.

“Yeah!” They both chorused. Buffy scrambled off his lap, waited for William to stand up, then took his hand, and they ran to Hank.

“Are your hands clean?” Joyce asked.

“Um…no, we were in the sand pit”

“Come on then, wash them quickly………there!” Joyce wiped faces too, and hung up the towel.

“Come on then get into the car” They did as they were told, Hank fixed the seatbelts for them both. He smiled; they were holding hands, again!
Chapter 3 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Okay for those who have asked me if this story is going to see our fave couple grow up....The entire story is actually already written, there are a few more chapters when they are small, we'll have holidays, illness, a wedding, then they grow.....get to college....trials and tribulations of teenage life...up to adult hood for them - hope that keeps everyone happy! -LoobyLoo
Chapter 3


When they got to the mall, they were allowed to run on ahead to the benches by the fountains, to look at the fishes.

“She’s there again…Does that daughter of ours ever let his hand go?” Hank said, smiling at Joyce.

“She absolutely worships him, and I think it must be mutual, because he never moans, tries to let go of her hand, or wipes off her kisses!” Joyce said to her husband. They both smiled, reached the bench.

“Mommy, daddy, William said when he was in England, they had fishes, but in a tank in the house”

“Did you honey?” Joyce stroked her hand over his head. William nodded.

“Yes, my dad kept them, he had neon’s and goldies, guppies and silver fins…there was a stone bridge the neons used to hide under, and weed, and at the side, there was an air filter that used to bubble”

“Did you have any other pets?” Joyce asked. William nodded.

“Yes, we had a dog called Ben, and a cat called Sooty, but she had ca…can…I forget what it was called, but she had a lump by her tummy…the vet made her go to sleep” Joyce could see William begin to look a little sad, Buffy could see this too.

“Never mind” She hugged him, patted his back! Joyce felt the tears prick her eyes. Hank blinked…then spotted something.

“Hey, look, over there, see, there’s some jugglers, shall we go and watch them, while Joyce goes to the drug store?”

“Yeah!” happy, the two children jumped up and down.

“Can we go to MacDonald’s then, you promised?” Buffy asked.

“I did, didn’t I, ok then!” Hank said.

“Yeah!” Buffy and William raced off towards the jugglers.

“I won’t be long” Joyce said.

After shopping at the mall, and a trip to MacDonald’s, they went home. They helped putting the shopping away, and then they went and watched a video, The Lion King. They were both as good as gold, sitting quietly on the sofa, holding hands, not a peep out of them.

“Where are the kids, they’re quiet” Hank said, coming into the kitchen from working in the den.

“Go look…but don’t let them see you” Joyce said grinning. Hank came back into the kitchen from the lounge, he too was smiling.

“Didn’t even see me. So, what’s for dinner?”

“Well, the kids are ok having had McDonalds, they can have hot chocolate and cookies before bedtime, you and I have spaghetti Bolognese”

Both children had a shower before bed, and Buffy sat on William’s bed while he dried off and put his pyjamas on. Joyce read them a story, and carried a falling asleep Buffy to her own bed.




******************************


Saturday dawned with Buffy running into William’s room, and Joyce found them giggling, under the covers, playing with Buffy’s torch projector.

“Come on you two, breakfast” They had Cocopops and milk, then toast. They watched cartoons for a bit, played a game, did some colouring in, then went and played in the garden. After lunch they went swimming, and in the afternoon they went to a Wildlife sanctuary, and saw squirrels and rabbits and all sorts of other animals, including big snakes and spiders, they both loved it.

Joyce and Buffy didn’t love the spiders, though! In fact, Buffy was petrified of them and wouldn’t even look in the glass cases. As they’d been very good, Hank said he’d treat them all and they went out to a proper restaurant, and they both felt very grown up.

The waitress was very nice and kind to the two children. Buffy, (as usual) wanted the same as William, he ordered barbecued ribs and a loaded jacket potato, and apart from some tough potato skin, and the bones, obviously, they both ate every bit!

They were very well behaved, and didn’t play up at all. They got home, and both felt tired, they had a quick wash, and went to bed, Hank had left them both in William’s bed, and when Buffy was asleep, he carried his daughter to her own bed.

Sunday flew by, they went to the park in the morning, played on the swings and roundabout, fed the ducks with some stale bread Joyce had given them, and went to see Hank’s mother, Grandma, as Buffy called her.

She met William and liked him instantly. He was a good boy, and remembered his manners, said please and thankyou, and was very well behaved. Back home, and after a lunch of chicken, they watched cartoons on TV. But soon it was time for William to go back to the home.

He was quiet and looked a bit teary, Buffy was crying.

“Please mommy…I want him to stay!”

“And we do darling, but I’m sorry, he must go back to the home…if we keep him, they won’t let him come again, and we don’t want that, do we? We want William to be able to come every weekend…and if things work out, we might have a big surprise next week” Joyce said, trying to sooth both children.

They both sniffed and nodded. Joyce felt like crying herself.

“Have you enjoyed it, staying here William?” Hank asked, squatting down in front of him. William kept his head down, but nodded.

“Yes thankyou” William said quietly. Hank swallowed as his heart lurched, he desperately wanted this little lad to be happy, after all the sadness he’d endured in his short life.

“Good lad…it’s been great, hasn’t it…I thought next week, we could play soccer, if you want”

“Yeah!” William looked up and smiled. Hank grinned and stood, he had to blink away watery eyes.

“We better go, Mrs Betts said no later than 7.30pm”

“Ok…I’m keeping his pyjamas here…um, Will, you have some more at the home, don’t you?”

“Yes”

“Good, I’ll keep these here for next time, and I’ll buy you some slippers to keep here next week, ok honey?”

“Yes thankyou”

“Come on then, it’s ten past, we’ve got to back for 7.30, we don’t want to make Mrs Betts cross, do we, not the first time” Hank said. Tightly holding hands, the two children, suddenly leaden footed trudged slowly to the car.

They got to the home, pulled up. Buffy and William were both crying, although William was trying not to show it.

“You’ll see him tomorrow in class” Joyce said. They all went up the steps and Hank rang the bell. Mrs Betts answered the door, beaming them a smile.

“Hello, hello…had a nice weekend, William?”

“Great… I didn’t want to leave”

“He CAN come next week, please, we’re not late” Buffy said. Mrs Betts could see the tears.

“Well honey, I don’t see why not” She cupped Buffy’s face and smiled at her. They went into the TV lounge, while the adults talked. William went to the window and looked out at the moon.

“Before you go to sleep, look at the moon, and I’ll look at the moon, ok?”

“Yes” Buffy said solemnly.

“He’s had a bath…I’ve kept his pyjamas, he’s told me has more here” Joyce said.

“That’s fine…well, I must go, it’s nearly bedtime for him” Mrs Betts said.

“Come on then Buffy, say goodnight to William” Joyce came over and kissed his cheek, gave him a hug.

“See you in the morning” William nodded. Hank put his hand on William’s head, ruffled his hair.

“Bye then William, see you next week, we’ll go buy you some football boots, and then you can teach me the side off rule!”

“It’s off side…ok!” William looked up and smiled, Hank winked at him.

“Say good night, Buffy” Buffy turned to William and they hugged.

“Night William”

“Night Buffy…don’t cry, remember, look at the moon” She nodded, her bottom lip trembling. He gave her a kiss on the cheek, hugged her again, and Joyce had to turn away, biting her bottom lip. It was the most touching thing she ever seen. Even Mrs Betts said,

“Ah, that’s so sweet!” Once in the car, Hank bibbed the horn, and William waved, Buffy blew kisses, then she said,

“My William said, before I go to sleep, I must look at the moon, and he will” Hank and Joyce smiled, and they drove home.


Later that night in bed, Hank said,

“Have you noticed, with Buffy, it’s ‘MY William’ now, not just William!”

“Yes…she’s absolutely besotted with him, that this evening nearly had me in tears, when she was saying goodnight to him”

“Me too, look, I know it’s early days yet, but, well, he’s such a lovely lad…lets go all out for the adoption, shall we, I’d love to have him as a son.” Hank suggested.

“Oh yes! The earliest we can apply is after six months, then it takes approximately another six weeks for the application to be processed, meanwhile, we’ve applied to take him on holiday with us, and we can have him every weekend, well hopefully we can, then there’s Christmas, so that means…March, he could be ours by March”

“Buffy’s you mean, I think Buffy has ‘first dibs’ on him, don’t you!”

“You’re probably right there!”

“Tell you what…I’ve got some vacation time owing to me – how about if I go to the travel agents tomorrow during my lunch hour – see if I can fix up a decent holiday for us all”

“Oh Hank, that would be great – something the kids will enjoy!”

“Leave it to me!”

*************************


Joyce was just getting ready to go to school, when the mail arrived. There was an official looking letter from some solicitors.

“Hank, Darling, sorry to ring you, but I’m worried”

“Why, it’s not one of the children, is it?” Hank asked in a worried tone.

“No, no, they’re fine, it just…well, it’s a letter from Bellman and Jones”

“The solicitors?”

“Uh huh…”

“Well, what does it say?”

That’s just it; I’m too frightened to open it. What if this aunt May of his has gone into remission again, and wants him back?”

“Look, calm down…she’d still need help to look after herself, let alone a lively nearly six-year old. Besides, well, we could always take him to see her. Show her just how close William is to Buffy, and vice-versa, I’m sure she wouldn’t want to take him away from that”

“You think?”

“Yes. Now go on, open it, else I’ll worry, and I’ve got a meeting in twenty minutes.” Hank could hear Joyce opening the envelope, and waited while she read.

“OH, oh thank god!”

“What?”

“She says that, well, she is quite happy for us to continue with the adoption, she only wants the best for William, and the various social workers reports to her state that William has all the happiness love and stability that he needs with us…I was SO frightened, Hank – I don’t know what we’ll do if-!”

“Joyce! It’s ok honey. There’s no need to be frightened. Well, there’s no need to be frightened now…it’s good that there’s good reports, it can only help to sway the judge in our favour”

“Yes, I AM being silly, aren’t I?”

“I do understand love, but next week, well, we’ll go to the courts, and well, give it our very best shot”

“But what if?”

“LOVE!”

“Sorry”

“I have to go now sweetheart, I’ll see you tonight, ok, you’ll be ok?”

“Yes. And I’m sorry, keep worrying you like this…”

“That’s ok, bye now love, I’ll see you later”

“Bye” Joyce put the letter back into the envelope, and put it into her handbag. They hadn’t said anything to either Buffy or William, as they didn’t want to worry them.



Later that evening.

Hank came in through the front door, and looked around.

“Well?” Joyce looked up expectantly from her ironing, a smile playing about her lips.

“Where are the children?”

“Outside, playing” Joyce said, standing the iron up and she began to fold the shirt she’d just pressed.

“Get this, ten days, you me and the kids, four star hotel in Disney World, Orlando, Florida, 14-24th August!” Hank grinned, rubbing his hands together.

“Brilliant…they’ll really love it, mind you, so will-“ Joyce was cut off by Hank.

“Quiet………here they come, hello Buffy, William” They didn’t want to spoil the surprise.

“Daddy! – Guess what, my William and me are going to be in the school play” Hank squatted down and grinned at his daughter, gave her a kiss, he ruffled William’s hair and gave him a hug.

“Are you now…what are you going to be?”

“A princess, and my William is the prince” She beamed at her daddy. Buffy had started to add the little prefix, ‘my’ before she mentioned her brother’s name. She still hadn’t grown tired of holding his hand or kissing him either, not that William ever raised an objection!

“Will you be able to come and see the play, dad?”

“When is it?”

“Um…mom, when’s the play on?” Buffy asked

“The last day of school, not until the Christmas holidays though, Got months yet!” Joyce said.

“Oh now, I think I can arrange something, I’ve got to see my children act, isn’t that right, mom – I must come” Hank said, nodding.

“Yes, you can help too, I’m counting on it” Joyce said, folding another shirt and adding it to the pile.

“Is tea nearly ready mommy, my William and me are starving!”

“Ten minutes…you can go wash your hands…have you left any toys outside?”

“I left my football, I’ll go get it” William went out. Buffy waited for him in the kitchen. When he came in, they went upstairs and washed their hands.

“Ask William how he did in his test, I’m surprised that Buffy hasn’t-“ Joyce began, only to be interrupted by their daughter calling downstairs.

“Dad-dy!” Buffy called down. They both grinned. Hank went and stood at the bottom of the stairs.
“Yes princess?”

“Come and have a look at my William’s test!” Winking at Joyce, Hank started up the stairs.

“Look daddy, my William’s got all the answers right and come first!” Buffy proudly waved the piece of paper under her daddy’s nose. She was as pleased as if she’d come top.

“Hmm, let me see now…right!” Hank made a great show of putting his reading glasses on, and scrutinised the sheet.

“Hmm, what have we here…William Campbell, general test, 20/20! Wow, that’s excellent, where is he?”

“William, daddy wants you” Buffy called.

“You came top and got 20/20 in your test at school?”

“Yeah…it was easy-peasy!” He grinned. Hank came over and hugged him.

“Very well done, I’m very proud of you, kid!” Both children beamed.

“And how many did you get, Buffy?”

“Um…I forget” Buffy said, her smile fading. She’d secretly hid her paper under some comics. William knew this, but wouldn’t give her away.

“I think Buffy nearly got them all right, but got a couple mixed up” William said, diplomatically. Hank smiled.

“Is that right…did you do your best, Buffy?” Hank asked. Buffy nodded slowly, but not looking at her daddy. He noticed a bruise on William’s arm.

“How did you do that, son?”

“Um…I forget…playing, I think”

“It was James, he’s a meany…and a poopyhead” Buffy said, annoyed, rubbing Will’s arm.

“A what?” Hank asked, his brows raised, and smiling.

“A … poopyhead. He kicked me, and my William told him to stop it and say sorry”

“Did he. You look after Buffy then William?” Hank smiled and looked back at William.

“Oh yes. Boys shouldn’t hurt girls, James kicked Buffy, so I told him he shouldn’t do, and he better not do it again.” William said, looking at Hank.

“Quite right, too. No, they shouldn’t…tell you what, as you’ve been so good and clever passing your test, I think you deserve a treat…so, how about, after we’ve had tea, we go to Blockbuster, get a video, and then go get some popcorn. Would you like that?”

“Yeah!” The two children chorused.

“Buffy, William, Hank…Tea’s ready” Joyce called upstairs.

Come on!” The children went down, Hank went to get changed.
Sitting at the table, Hank said,

“As William’s so clever at coming top in his test, I said I’d take them to Blockbuster and then to get popcorn”

“I want Mulan” Buffy said.

“Well, as William came top, don’t you think that he should choose the film?” Hank said, looking at his daughter.

“It’s ok…If Buffy wants Mulan, it will do fine” William said, and Buffy smiled at ‘her’ William and loved him that little bit more.

Joyce and Hank smiled at each other. Hank did as he said, and took the children out, twenty minutes later they were back, and sitting on the sofa, hand in hand, watching the film. Hank joined his wife at the dining room table for coffee; she was reading the newspaper.

“You know, I swear if she’d have wanted a more ‘girlie’ one, like Cinderella, or Sleeping Beauty, he still wouldn’t have objected. How did Buffy do in the test, by the way, William was very diplomatic, and Buffy was positively cagey?”

“Well, she got 12/20…looks like we have the makings of one genius, anyway”

“Buffy was telling me how William protected her, what was the lads name now…James? He kicked her – Gave our Will a bruise, she called him a…what was it she called him now…a ‘poopyhead’, that’s it, a ‘poopyhead’! Where did she get that from?” Joyce flipped over the page and smiled, glancing up at her husband.

“I’ve no idea…he does look after her. They don’t play much with the other children…don’t get me wrong, they’re not anti-social, just they seem to prefer each other’s company the best”

“Well, let’s hope the novelty doesn’t wear off! So, when we going to tell them where we’re going for our holidays, I can’t wait!” Hank said, grinning.

“At the airport…else Buffy’ll drive us all mad, that’s if you don’t first!” Joyce said, grinning.











The following Weekend.

“Right, water’s turned off, backdoor’s locked, gas is switched off…timer is set for curtains and lights…and Mrs Koprinski has the key so she can get the mail and water the plants…I think that’s it…only the alarm to do now” Joyce said.

“Does Mrs Koprinski know the combination to the alarm?” Hank asked.

“Yes…I’ve written it all down for her, and the name of the hotel where we’re staying…have you got the cases all packed?”

“In the trunk. I’ll just check the garage is locked, then, we can go!”

“Right, I’ll go wake the kids” Joyce said.

“William…come on kid, wakey, wakey”

“Huh…what’s the time?”

“It’s very early…still nearly the middle of the night really, but come on, put your track suit on quickly, were going on holiday!” He got out of bed and dressed, went for a wee.

“Buffy, come on love, wake up”

“Huh…what…where’s my William?” she asked sleepily, rubbing her eyes. Joyce smiled.

“Come on Buffy, we’re going on holiday!” William sounded so excited. Buffy bounded out of bed, and put on her matching tracksuit and sneakers, she too went to the toilet.

“It’s still night time! Where are we going?” Buffy asked. They bounded out to the car, leaving Joyce to lock up as Hank did up their safety belts. They drove off, and soon Hank was on the freeway.

When William saw the direction sign, and saw the little aeroplane motif, he smiled.

“Are we going on an aeroplane?”

“Yes!” Hank said. Buffy’s eyes went huge, then she and William looked at each other, and smiled.

“Are we going to see the queen?” Buffy asked.

“No, something you’ll like even better, we hope” Hank said.

“Where?” Buffy asked all excited, she’d never been on an aeroplane before.

“Where does Mickey Mouse live?” Joyce asked.

“Disneyland!” They both chorused, grinning like mad.

“We’re going to Disneyland?”

“Disney World, Florida!” Hank grinned, glancing at the children through his driving mirror, they looked so excited.
Chapter 4 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thankyou, you wonderful people for the feedback, health, wealth, love and happiness to you all.......
Chapter 4


“Um…mum, can I have $20 of my money please, I want to buy Buffy a Mickey Mouse” William asked. Joyce smiled, cupped his little face.

“Oh, do you, that’s lovely!”

“Here, I’ll…” Joyce put her hand over Hank’s wallet.

“Let him buy it…” she whispered something, and Hank agreed. William went and bought Buffy the toy, and gave it to her.

Buffy immediately hugged and kissed him, proudly showing her mom and dad just what ‘her’ William had bought for her, ‘with his own money’ she told them.

Buffy looked at her William with such love and admiration. When they were walking back to the hotel, (hand in hand, obviously) she announced, very matter–of-factly, that she loved William very much, and one day, she’d marry him.

“Is that right… but will William want to marry you?” Joyce asked, smiling.

“Oh yes, I expect I will!” William said nodding seriously. And he and Buffy walked on ahead, leaving Hank and Joyce beaming at each other.

Back in the hotel room, Joyce noticed a leaflet on the bed, put there by the housekeeping maid.

There was to be a big firework and spectacular laser display that evening, but it was quite late, the time the children were usually going to bed. The display to start at 8.45pm

“Look, if you two go have a nap now, you can stay up late and see the fireworks, ok?” They nodded, and both went and lay on William’s bed, and fell fast asleep, Buffy clutching her Mickey Mouse in one hand, and William’s hand in the other.

“Best thing we ever did…fostering him” Hank said, leaning against the doorjamb, looking at the two children.

“Hear, hear! You know…I often think………I’d have loved to have seen him as a baby…I bet he was adorable…he still is…he’s such a thoughtful little boy…” Joyce said softly, standing next to her husband. Hank smiled and nodded.

“So, what did you say for me to do, about the money?” Hank asked.

“Give them both $50 vacation pocket money, then they won’t be out of pocket, because Buffy will bound to want to buy ‘her’ William something too now”

“Good idea, I’ve got some new $10 bills, I’ll give them it when they wake up.

“Coffee?” Joyce asked

“Hmm, love some…think I’ll have a bit of a nap myself, and have a look at the crossword first though”

That evening, after dinner in one of the many restaurants, they went over to Beauty’s Castle, and watched the firework and laser display. They all loved it, and Hank had videoed some of it. Buffy held onto William’s hand, especially tight when there were some loud bangs.

The holiday flew by, and soon the day to go home dawned. They could still have the day as their flight wasn’t until teatime, and Buffy wanted to buy William a present.

Hank had bought them all baseball caps and tee shirts with ‘Disney World, Florida on the front, and they loved walking around all looking the same! William and Buffy had had photos taken with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald Duck, Snow White and William ‘pretend’ saved Buffy from the Wicked Queen’s evil clutches by having a gentle tug-of-war with her!

Joyce and Hank were just as big a kids, and had lots of photos taken too, as well as Hank doing lots of video footage. Buffy bought William a big stuffed ‘Simba’ lion cub toy, he loved it.

They had a good flight, although it was delayed for two hours, and by the time they got back to Revello Drive, the two children were asleep.

“Just look at them…it’s been the best holiday we’ve ever had, don’t you think?”
Hank said, pressing a little kiss to William’s forehead.


***************************

It was mid December, and Hank was coming home one evening when he saw trips to visit Santa in Switzerland – having just received a nice Christmas bonus, he decided to book a trip, just three days, but it would be something they could look back on…………


Joyce thought it a wonderful idea when he told her what he’d done, meanwhile, the holiday was nearly upon them, and Joyce was making the costumes for the school play.
The day of the play arrived, and after many rehearsals, the children were all word-perfect………


William strode onto the stage, flipped his cape and said,

“The Princess Beauty sleeps, I shall wake her with a kiss” He walked around the bed and leant over, giving Buffy a kiss on the lips. Buffy, as Princess Beauty, sat up and said,

“My handsome prince! You have broke my wicked step-mother’s spell” he helped her out of bed, and then dropped onto one knee.

“Princess Beauty, will you marry me?”
“Oh sweet prince, yes, I will marry you!” He stood, and then they kissed again and the curtain came down to thunderous applause. Joyce and Hank grinned at each other, as they clapped.

The curtain rose and all the children took a bow, and there were loud whistles and cheers and louder applause. William and Buffy held hands, and then walked to the front of the stage and took a bow.

The audience went wild applauding, banging their feet, whistling and cheering as loud as they could. Both children were beaming.

The curtain came down again and all the children left the stage, and got changed. Joyce came backstage and grinned at her children. She squatted down, and held out her arms and hugged her two children to her..

“Did you like it mommy?” Buffy asked smiling.

“Oh, we thought it was wonderful!” Joyce beamed.

“Did you know, it’s been video taped, we shall buy three copies, one for us to keep, and one to send to both of your nana’s and Tom, shall we?”

“Oh yes please!” William said.

“Are you going to take the lipstick and eyeshadow off?”

“No…leave it ‘til I get home” Buffy said. She took William’s hand and they went into the assembly hall to find their daddy.

“Daddy!” Buffy said. Her father turned and smiled.

“And here’s my little prince and princess!” The man he was talking to smiled.

“Your children eh?”

“They sure are…”

“Still in character, by the looks of things, she’s still holding his hand!”

“Oh, they’re always like that, and he’s ‘her’ William, right from the day we first fostered him” Hank said.

“Oh, he’s fostered! I thought he didn’t have an American accent”
A man with a camera came over to Buffy and William.

“Smile!” They both looked up and smiled.

“Give her a kiss for the camera” the man said, so William did.

“That’s so sweet!”

Joyce put her name down for three videos, and she gathered the children up and they went home. The next morning she was surprised to see Buffy and William on the front of the local paper, in costume, kissing!

“Well, have you seen this?” She held it out for Hank to see. He grinned as he did up his tie.

“They look so darn cute!”

Hank grabbed his jacket from the back of the chair, and began to put it on as he walked to the bottom of the stairs.

“Will, Buffy, I’m going now” he called up. Both children thundered down the stairs, and kissed had hugged Hank.

“Go look what mom’s got” The two children went into the dining room. Joyce came through to the hall, giving her husband his briefcase, and kissing him.

“See if you can get some more copies of the paper, will you?”

“Sure, now, I must fly, bye love, bye kids!”

“Bye!” The two chorused together. When Joyce got into the dining room, she saw Buffy and William looking at the picture.

“Mommy…who’s um…Rom, erm, Romeo and Julie?”

“Who?”
Buffy pointed to the paragraph in the paper.

“Oh, Romeo and Juliet…well it’s a very old play, written by William Shakespeare, have you heard of him?”

“I have! I went to Stratford, where he came from once” William said.

“Did you, baby?”

“But who are they?” Buffy persisted.

“Oh well, they loved each other very much, and wanted to be together” Joyce explained, thinking that that was enough info. She didn’t want to scare them by saying too much.

“Like I love William?” Buffy said.

“Oh yes” Joyce said, then she added,

“Come on now, let’s get you some breakfast”

“Can we phone nana?” Buffy asked.

“Um…it’s a bit early yet, she’ll be having breakfast herself now, then she feeds the chickens. How about, you have your breakfast, watch a few cartoons, and then phone her nearer lunch time”

“Ok”

It was the last day of school before the Christmas holidays, and there was no proper schoolwork being done. William and Buffy were sitting at one of the tables, with Willow and Xander.

“But don’t you get presents?” Buffy asked, big eyed.

“Yes…but we don’t think that the baby Jesus was special like you do” Willow explained

“Oh”

“Were going to my aunty Bernice and uncle Saul’s for the holidays…uncle Saul is my daddy’s brother. They live in…Oregon…”

“But…you don’t have a Christmas tree?” Willow shook her head, and Buffy and William looked surprised.

“Ok children…you can get your coats now…Happy holidays everyone”



**********************************

“But mommy, why doesn’t Willow have a Christmas tree?”

“Because, well, they’re Jewish, and they have different beliefs. Remember how she can’t eat certain things”

“Oh yes, I remember, she couldn’t eat the sausages at the barbecue!” William said.

“That’s right, remember that special candlestick they have, it’s called a –“

”Menorah…Mrs Rosenberg told me…” William said.
The telephone rang

“Hello”

“Hi darling…just thought I let you know, I’ll be home early, we can go shopping tonight if you like, the shops are open ‘till midnight”

“Ok, but what about the kids?”

“Mom’ll watch them, plus, it’ll get her out of the house…she’s getting more and more housebound, and I’m a little worried about her”

“She had a nasty fall Hank…it’ll take time”

“I know, but that was September…I’ve phoned her anyway, I’ll pick her up on the way home, ok?”

“Fine”

“Do you want me to get anything, on the way, food wise?”

“No, no. I’ve got a big pack of pork steaks”

“Ok then, see you in about an hour”

“Buffy, William, daddy will be bringing nana Summers home with him, as we’ll be going out shopping. Now, you want pizza for tea?”

“Yes please…is nana’s leg better?” William asked.

“Getting better darling…so be good for her, won’t you?” both children nodded.





*************************



“Hi, have they been good?” Hank asked his mother as they came in laden with Christmas shopping. Both children were fast asleep on the sofa.

“Golden…William even washed up!…”

“He’s a very good boy”

“Listen…I want to talk to both of you”

“Ok…shall I put the kettle on first”

“I’ll carry the children up to bed”


***************************




On the 18th of December, the family pulled up on the airport parking lot…

“Where are we going?” Buffy asked, excitedly

“You’ll see!”

***************************



“William, look!” Buffy was looking excitedly out of the window of the log cabin at the falling snow.

Huge feathery flakes floated down, and she couldn’t wait to get outside and play in it. Sleepily William woke up and rubbed his eyes. He saw the unfamiliar surroundings, and remembered that they were on holidays in the mountains. He threw back the bedclothes and joined Buffy at the window, they linked hands.

He smiled, Buffy rubbed the glass where her breath had steamed it up.

“Real snow!” she said, beaming at him.

“Haven’t you ever seen snow before?” William grinned.

“No…only in my snow dome, or on the TV” Both children had been carried into the log cabin fast asleep the previous evening, so they hadn’t seen it until now.

“Well, it’s very cold…like when we bring in the ice cream containers in from the car and hold it in our hands” William explained. They saw a man with what looked like a couple of tennis racquets tied to his feet take big deep strides in the snow, throwing up cloudy little puffs of powdery flakes.

“It looks deep!”

“Would it come to over our heads?” Buffy asked, wide eyed.

“Suppose it could, in the drifts, where the wind blows it”

“Oh, you’re awake then!” They both turned to look at the doorway at the sound of Joyce’s voice.

“Mommy, it’s snowing!” Buffy said excitedly running to her.

“I know…”
“Can we go out and play in it, please?” Buffy asked

“Well, first of all, get dressed, have some breakfast, then we can all go out”

“Where to?”

“You’ll soon see, you’ll love it”

“Will we be able to play?”

“Later, yes, now come on, quickly, get dressed” The two children did as they were told, putting on thick warm clothes, although the cabin was very warm and triple glazed to keep out the chills. In the main room there was a real fire as well as the central heating, making the place really cosy.

After a warming breakfast of hot oats with honey and some toast that Hank made by holding pieces of bread over the flames of the fire (which both children thought was amazing) Joyce got them into warm fleecy jackets and fur lined boots.

She also gave them some warm gloves and they were told not to take them off, else their hands would hurt. Tying scarves around the hoods of their coats so that they wouldn’t fall down, the children could suddenly hear excited dogs barking.

“Ok Joyce, it’s here” Hank called. She came into the hallway, pulling on gloves like the children. Hank pulled up his hood and they went outside. The cold air stung their cheeks, and Joyce was helped up onto a sledge.

Then both Buffy and William were lifted onto the sledge and sat either side of her, Hank climbed on and sat facing them. Everyone was smiling. The driver got on and waved a light whip in the air, and shouted something, there was a sudden lurch, and they started to slide over the soft powdery snow.

They passed hundreds of huge fir trees, all covered in snow, and they could see the mountains higher up, and down below them they could see a little town, all twinkling and glistening in the snow. They passed other sledges coming back up the mountain, and people waved at them.

There were people skiing, snowboarding and in the distance they could see a cable cars slowly looping round taking people up the mountain so they could ski down. They all heard a loud noise, and a man whizzed passed them on what looked like a jet ski, like the ones they’d seen on holiday in Florida.

Hank explained that it was similar, but called a ‘skidoo’. Buffy cuddled tight into her mom when she looked out and saw how far the mountains dropped down, it was very steep.

She reached for William’s hand across her mother’s lap. After about five minutes, they were at the bottom of the mountain, and in the little town. The driver pulled the sledge up outside a big log cabin, covered in lights of blue and green, red and yellow. Music was playing, and they could see that there were dozens of cuckoo clocks in the window.

Hank paid the driver, and he helped his wife and children down from the seats. Buffy was fascinated how she could ‘see’ her breath come out in steamy puffs, it never got cold enough in California for it to do that.

There were lots of people walking about, people carrying skis or walking with those funny shaped racquets on their feet.

“Daddy, why is that man wearing tennis racquets on his feet for?” Both he and Joyce smiled.

“They’re not tennis racquets love, they are called snow-shoes, when walking over deep powdery snow, they help to stop you falling over by going too deep, makes the feet seem so much bigger for easier balance” Hank explained.

Buffy and William seemed happy enough at this explanation. They spent a couple of hours walking round and shopping, Joyce bought chocolate, some cheese and wine and a fondue set.

They went into a café and had hot chocolate and apfelstrudel, with big piped rosettes of cream on top. The two children were laughing at Joyce, who was eating slowly, groaning with delight, savouring each sinful mouthful with her eyes closed.

“Gods…I’m going to be in the gym for simply hours when I get home, I’m going to get so fat!”

“But it’ll be worth it!” Hank said, he too enjoying the rich treat. Joyce just smiled, nodded slowly with her eyes closed. William and Buffy ate theirs without a qualm! Hank offered to buy Joyce a cuckoo clock, but Joyce said that little bird on a spring popping out every quarter hour would drive her cuckoo, making the children laugh.

So Hank bought Joyce a watch instead. Walking to the end of the village, there was a sign written in various languages, and all four of them walked down a narrow little alleyway to come upon a clearing, where a man was cutting at a huge block of ice with an electric carving knife! On the ground were various other statues already carved, and much to their surprise, after gouging out chunks and shaving off layers of ice, the man took a blowtorch to various parts. That made it melt and become crystal clear.

After watching him for a few minutes, (there were quite a few people watching and walking around) they looked at what the man had already done. There was a young boy and girl, he’d named ‘Hansel and Gretl, some leaping dolphins, a swan, a train, a car, and his piece de-la-resistance, a castle, with turrets, just like Beauties Castle in Disney world.

Buffy was transfixed, it was as clear as crystal, and so beautiful!

“Oh mommy…look William…there’s a princess at the window!” After dropping a few coins into the ‘artists’ hat, they made their way back to the cuckoo clock shop, to hire a husky sledge ride back up the mountain.

As they got off the sledge outside the cabin, Hank called his wife’s name. She looked up, and a soft snowball thudded lightly on her head. She shrieked, and began to gather snow into a ball to get him back!

The children thought this SO funny, and they too began to gather snow and throw it. Laughing and slipping over, after ten minutes they were all wet and exhausted! They trudged their way back indoors, pulling off wet gloves, scarves etc. as they went.


“There you go love, that would have worked off that apfelstrudel!” Hank said grinning at his wife. She whispered that she’d get him back later; she had a twinkle in her eye. Hank grabbed her and pulled her close, whispered into her neck.

“You wait until the children are in bed…”
Grinning, Joyce turned seductively, and whispered,

“No, YOU wait!” She let her hand drop, and gave his thigh a squeeze.

“Come on Buffy, Will, let’s get you two into some dry clothes!” Joyce called, and Hank went and hung up their wet things in the special drying room.

They all had a nap, and then they played a board game, and read books, Buffy and William drew pictures to send to their nanas, and at six o’clock, Joyce cooked them some tea. They had roast chicken, and some jacket potatoes, and then Joyce called William and Buffy into the main room.

They both thought it was to get undressed to go to bed, although they were not tired. To their surprise and excitement, Joyce had their going out clothes ready.

They were all dry again and she stood in front of Buffy holding her coat out for her to put on.
“Where are we going?” Buffy asked big-eyed, quickly slipping her arms into the sleeves. Hank was helping William.

“This is the main reason we came here…now, remember when we got you to write a letter to Santa?” Both children nodded seriously.

“Well…you wait and see!” Joyce said, smiling up at her daughter as she did up the last button on her coat. There was a knock at the door.

“Ready, Joyce?” Hank called out.

“Coming…come on love” Joyce encouraged Buffy to go outside. The sky was dark blue, and the stars twinkled in the night sky.

In fact, all four of them were spellbound when they got outside. There was a huge sleigh bedecked with twinkling lights, and little bells that jingled as the animals snorted and nodded their heads, eager to be off.

The animals in question, were real reindeer! A man touched his hat in respect at them, and they got inside the sleigh. They had their photographs taken. Buffy and William sat together, holding hands, absolutely agog in total wonderment.

“Do you like it?” Hank asked smiling.

“Oh yes, it’s wonderful!” William said.

“Yes!” Buffy said. Hank grinned and winked at them.

“Were are we going?” William asked.

“Look!” Hank said, and he shifted in the seat so the children could see the huge cave that they were being driven into. William read out,

“Santa’s Grotto” They grinned at each other, and then looked around at the sparkling surroundings, with little automatronic elves and animals. The sleigh slowed then stopped altogether. They got out, and walked into the labyrinth, the children holding hands.

“This way please!” a chubby lady dressed as an elf lead them through the sparkling tunnel, until there, before them sat Santa, on a huge chair, all about him were piles and piles of presents, wrapped in shiny paper.

The ‘elf’ went ahead and spoke to Santa.

“Buffy and William! Welcome, welcome, come here my dears…” They looked in total awe, and looked up at their daddy. He was smiling and nodded to them in encouragement. They both walked forward.

It was being videoed.

Santa pulled them onto his lap and began to talk to them; looking at each child in turn. Joyce and Hank could see them nodding and smiling. He said something to them, and they both looked up and waved, their faces beaming. Joyce and Hank waved, they too were beaming.

“What price that love, eh? They look so happy” Hank said. Joyce nodded.
Having given the children a parcel each, they got down off his lap and came back and stood by Hank and Joyce

“Santa said he knew we’d been good, and he knew what we wanted for Christmas!” Buffy said.

“That’s good. Come on then were going back in the sleigh now, but were going round the mountain to see the elf village” William and Buffy held their parents hands, then both pulled free and turned and waved at Santa.

“Bye, Santa, thankyou for the present” William said. The Santa waved and called,

“Bye young William, and Buffy…remember, leave me a cookie and some milk on Christmas eve!”

“We will!” He waved them off, and they got back into the sleigh. It had started to snow again, and both children were trying to catch the huge feathery flakes in their tongues. Both were laughing. They went round the model village, and then back down the mountain to their cabin. They carried their presents inside.

“Right, hot chocolate for the kids, Gluwein for us I think!” Hank said, rubbing his hands together, and set about preparing it. When he bought it in, both Buffy and William were dressed in their nightclothes.

“Thankyou for tonight, it’s been the bestest, ever!” William said. Hank set the tray down and hugged him.
“I’m glad you enjoyed it, son…you’re a very good little boy, and this was to show you how much we love you and Buffy and to reward you for being so good.” William hugged Joyce to. Buffy did the same.

“Can we open our present, please?” Buffy asked.

“Go on then” Joyce said, and with great excitement, both children began to rip the paper off their parcels. Buffy opened her gift. Her eyes were huge and round as she took out a brown soft fur teddy. But it felt heavy.

“What’s inside it, it’s heavy!”

“Oh look, that’s great, look, it’s a radio!” Hank said.

“Let me see!” Buffy said excitedly.

“We’ll have to put some batteries in it, then you can play it in your room! What have you got William?” He opened his box, and took out what looked like two mobile phones.

“Oh, Walkie Talkies!” Hank said.

“Hey, this will be useful, when we want to call you from the kitchen and we can’t find you, we can call you up!”

“Like a mobile!” William said.

“Nice presents!” Joyce said.

“I should think so too! Nothing but the best for our two!” Hank said, smoothing William’s hair. Buffy yawned, then so did William.

“Come on then, finish your chocolate, let’s get you into bed” Joyce said.

“Mommy…how long are we staying here?”

“Well, we have to go home tomorrow…but not until the night time, so in the morning we can go back down to the village, and then have a snowball fight when we come home!” Hank said.

“Yeah!” the children chorused.

“Could we build a snowman?” William asked.

“Sure, we’ll do that, it’ll be fun!” Joyce settled them into bed, and they were soon asleep. Hank stoked the fire, putting on more logs, and refilled their Gluwein glasses. Joyce came through.

“Go say goodnight” Hank did so, Buffy was already asleep, cuddled up to her teddy.
He came out of the room, closed the door.

“Right then Mrs…got you all to myself now…!” Hank said seductively.

“You don’t have to get me drunk to have your wicked way you know!” Joyce said, holding up the full half-pint glass of warm mulled wine. She sipped it.
Hank turned the main lights off, and came and sat by his wife, in the firelight,

“This bearskin rug is so soft…” Hank nuzzled his wife’s neck. She gasped, smiling eyes closed, she began to undo his shirt.

“What about the children?”

“They’re fast asleep, don’t worry” Hank said, giving Joyce’s breast a gentle squeeze. It might have been the wine, but they decided to throw caution to the wind, and they made love on the bearskin rug in front of the fire……

The following morning they took a dog sled down the mountainside to the village, did a little shopping, everything was very expensive. As promised they had a snowball fight when they got home, and just outside the cabin, they built a snowman. Hank folded a hat out of old newspaper, and Buffy and William put some charcoal for eyes and buttons.

Joyce gave them a carrot for his nose, and Hank wrapped his scarf around the neck. Joyce also found a stick with a knobbly bit on the end that looked like a pipe, and stuck it in the mouth of the snowman.

Hank and Joyce took it in turns to video and help the children, they also too some digital photos. At teatime they left for the airport, and Buffy and William were excited to be on an aeroplane again.
Both were fast asleep when Hank carried them out of the taxi into their house.

The next day, Willow and Xander were bought round to play, as it was the school holidays. Joyce felt a little sorry for Willow, her family was Jewish and didn’t celebrate Christmas, but she was fascinated to listen about the sleigh ride and the snowball fights and the snowman.
Chapter 5 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
As i'm getting some great feedback, i'm making the chapters nice and long for you!
Chapter 5


The Christmas holidays came and went, as did January and February, it was getting on for mid March, and it had been roughly eight months since they’d started having William to stay on a regular basis. Joyce and Hank had submitted their application to formerly adopt William, and had finally received the letter they were hoping for in one way, and dreading in another. Hank opened the official letter giving them the date

“This is it then honey – the official hearing date at the Family Court”

“I’ll have to book the day off, I’ll see the principal this morning”

“I’ll tell Larry…just think, in less than a week, we’ll know if William can be ours…”


The Thursday came, Buffy and William knew it was a very special day, because they wasn’t going to class, either of them, and daddy was home instead of going to work, and he was in his best suit. Mommy had her best dress and coat on, AND she put on some lipstick. William and Buffy dressed smart, and Hank took them in the car.

“Where are we going?”

“Um, you’ll see” was all Joyce said. They hadn’t said anything to the children, they didn’t want to make them nervous. The one question they didn’t ask, was to ask William if he wanted to live with them permanently, they took it as read, there were always tears when Sunday night came, he never wanted to go back to the home, as much as Buffy didn’t want him to leave. They went into a big building and William saw Mrs Betts.

“Have I got to go back to the home?” William asked in a small voice, he looked scared, Buffy looked absolutely petrified, and clung to William, and he did to her.
Joyce smiled and bent down.

“Please mommy, don’t make him go, please, mommy, please!” Buffy was near to tears, she was shaking with fear.

“Shh, don’t worry…this is the family court. We have to see a judge, and ask if you can live with us for good, if we can adopt you, we become your new mommy and daddy, would you like that?” Joyce asked, smoothing hair out of his eyes.

“You mean…never having to go back to St Chad’s” William asked big eyed.

“No. We would be your new mom and dad, would you like that?”

“OH YES!” Joyce beamed, felt the tears prick her eyes as she hugged him to her.

Mrs Betts stood and said her piece, that William was very well looked after, and how happy he seemed when he was with the Summers’. The judge (a nice, softly spoken black lady) said she’d read all the reports.

“Ok, can I speak to the child now?”

“Come on William, don’t be scared, just answer the questions.” Mrs Betts said. Buffy got up automatically to go with him.

“Just William, darling” Joyce said.

Buffy looked a little worried, kissed his cheek, and they hugged. The judge smiled.

“Please let him live with us…please, he’s my bestest friend and I love him, lots and lots” Buffy said to the judge. Joyce wiped her eyes, and then holding her hands in her lap, she gripped onto her tissue tightly to stop shaking.

The Judge smiled at Buffy, but said nothing, and then addressing William, she said,

“Well William. First I’m very sorry about your real mommy and daddy. You like it in America, yes?”

“Yes, thankyou” William said remembering his manners.

Buffy leaning forward in her seat, and holding onto the brass bar that ran round the wooden barrier in front of them, tightly with both hands, arms stiff and straight, her eyes fixed on William. Hank smiled at her, nudging Joyce to look. Buffy was transfixed, only looking at William, her little face serious.

“You know that your aunt is sick and unable to look after you?”

“Yes”

“And you’ve been staying with your class teacher, Mrs Summers and her husband and daughter Buffy”

“Yes, it’s great, I really love it there, better than anything, I wish I could always live there, Buffy is my best friend, I love her, and Mr and Mrs Summers, I want them to be my new mom and dad.” William said.

He saw Buffy smile and he waved to her. She waved back. Hank reached for Joyce’s hand, and held it tight. The judge saw this and smiled again.

She looked at her notes, and said,

“Well, as regards social services, all the tests were passed with flying colours, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such glowing reports from the social workers before, and as William himself has expressed a wish to live with you (she shuffled some papers, looked up and smiled)………adoption granted!”
Joyce shrieked and stood up, holding a tissue to her mouth. Buffy looked worriedly up at her mom.

“Does that mean yes?” her little face still serious, and full of worry that he might not be allowed to stay with them. Buffy then saw her dad grinning and nodding. William looked at the judge.

“Go on William, you can live with them forever now, they’re your new mommy and daddy!” William grinned, and Buffy jumped up and raced carefully down the steps to him, and they hugged, for ages. The judge smiled at Mrs Betts and said,

“I wish all the decisions I had to make were this easy!” She gathered up her papers, and they all had to go into a special room and sign some documents.

Hank scooped both children up and hugged them, he himself having to hold back the tears; he’d always wanted a son…

“Mr Summers…” William said

“We’ll have to think of something different for you to call me now!”

“Could…could I call you dad?” Tears glittered in Hanks eyes.

“Oh, son, I’d be honoured, I’d love that!” he hugged them both again.

“Come on, let’s go celebrate!”

They went to the movies, and saw Cars, then went for a burger after. Buffy and William were at the counter deciding what they wanted.

The lady behind the counter smiled at the two children, holding hands.

“Is that your brother or your boyfriend?” she asked smiling at Buffy.

“The nice judge lady just said he can live with us forever and I love him ever so much,” Buffy said.

“Oh, I see.” she turned smiling at William,

“And do you love her?”

“Oh yes!” William said, nodding and looking serious.

“Well that’s nice, isn’t it” She beamed at them.

“They’re SO very proud and protective of one another!” Joyce said, stroking Williams’s head.

“Closer than twins even…they’re inseparable!” Hank said, smiling.

“So, what do you want, Buffy?”

“I want…same as William”

“Ok” Joyce smiled.

“What do you want, William?”

“Can I have……… a Happy Meal and a strawberry milkshake, please?”

“You may, is that what you want, Buffy?”

“Yes”

“Please” prompted William.

“Please!” Buffy said. Both Hank and Joyce smiled.

“Mom, oh, um, can I …can I call you mom?” William asked, looking up at her hopefully. Joyce grinned, nodded eagerly.

“Can we sit by the window, I want to show Buffy something”

“Sure” They found a table, and Buffy scooched up close to William. Joyce never did find out what it was that he wanted to show her, but they were both giggling.

“Just look at those two!” Joyce said to Hank, as she came from the counter with their order. They were very well behaved, and didn’t make a mess.


And so it went on. They were inseparable, and never once did Hank and Joyce ever regret adopting him, he was the ideal son to them. Most mornings Joyce would go into Buffy’s bedroom, only to find her bed empty, and in William’s room, sitting in bed and he reading her a story.

Buffy absolutely idolised her brother, she fussed round him and was always holding his hand. Both Joyce and Hank noticed how protective of each other they were, and how, even at school, they never seemed to bother with many other children, preferring instead to just be with each other.

After Sunday lunch, they did their usual ritual of going to the park, and getting ice cream.
“You ok, son?” Hank asked winking at William as he and Buffy took it in turns to throw bread to the ducks.

“Yes thankyou…my tummy doesn’t feel funny like it used to” he said Hank frown/smiled

“Oh…why’s that?”

“Because I haven’t got to go to St. Chad’s…I used to hate going back there when I’d been with you all weekend” Hank stood and walked over to the two children, hugging them both.

“Gods, I remember alright, we used to hate it too, didn’t we Princess, still you’ll never have to go back there again son…you belong to us now” William smiled and nodded happily.

“Dad…”

“Yes son?”

“Can we buy mommy some flowers?” Hank smiled

“I think, that’s a jolly good idea, she’d love that!”
William beamed as he walked back into the house, carrying a bunch of mixed cut blooms.

“Here mommy, these are for you”

“For me? Oh William they’re so beautiful! Come here…” She knelt down and gave him a big hug and a kiss.

“Ooh, aren’t we lucky to have you, eh?”

“Come on William, let’s go play outside”

“Go change first…then you can run along” They ran upstairs to do as their mother said.

“So…what are these for?” Joyce asked, beaming at her husband, kissing his cheek. Hank shrugged but he was grinning.

“Actually, I’m ashamed to say, but it was all William’s idea…they’d just finished feeding the ducks, and he just said, ‘dad, can we buy mommy some flowers’”

“He’s such a thoughtful little boy” Joyce carefully put the bunch of flowers on the kitchen counter, took out her secateurs, and began to cut the stems at an oblique angle and arrange them in her best crystal vase.

“I asked him if he was alright, and he said to me, yes, my tummy doesn’t hurt anymore, like it used to”

“What?” Joyce asked, slightly alarmed, the flower she was holding in mid air…

“About going back to the home on a Sunday evening…he used to hate it, and it gave him a funny tummy, I suppose”

“Thank god he’s ours…just look at them” Joyce shifted slightly so Hank could see them out of the window. They were both sitting on the garden seat, just talking, but they were sitting close, and turned to face each other.

“I don’t know what we’d have had to do if the adoption had been denied…” Hank said.

“DON’T…stuff of nightmares that…I swear I’d have gone on the run with him” Joyce said.

“Too right…oh, just look at them!”
Buffy and William were holding hands, and giggling their heads off.

“You know, I’ve NEVER heard them have a cross word…even when Buffy broke the lightening sword off his Jedi Warrior, he said it must have been nearly broken and wasn’t Buffy’s fault!” Joyce said. Hank smiled and said

“Bit of a difference between them and you and your sister!”

“Gods yes


********************************



A couple of months later, and nothing much had changed, they were still inseparable. One morning, as usual, Buffy pulled the stool to the cupboard, and took down Cocopops, and got out their bowls, then got milk from the refrigerator. William came downstairs slowly.

He didn’t feel too good.

“Don’t you like them anymore?” Buffy asked, as she spooned up the chocolaty milk, William had hardly touched his.

“Hmm…just not hungry…my tummy feels a bit funny” He had a quiet day at school, where he just sat quietly most of the day, they got home. Joyce noticed that William was extra quiet.

“What’s the matter honey?” Joyce asked. She squatted down by his chair, stroked the hair off his forehead. He’d hardly touched his tea, and Buffy looked so worried.

“My tummy hurts”

“Does it baby, where, show me” William lifted his jumper, and motioned towards his lower right hand side.

“Ok baby, do you feel sick?”

“A bit” William nodded.

“Well, think you should get undressed and go to bed, and if it hurts more, even if it’s the middle of the night, you call me and I’ll come to you, ok?” William nodded.

It was still light outside, but William got undressed and put on his pyjama’s. Buffy, not to be left out wanted to go to bed too, but in with William.

“Ok, but don’t jiggle about, you might hurt him” They both got into bed; Buffy was very good and lay still.

“You try and go to sleep…remember though, if it hurts, you call me, or get Buffy to get me” William nodded, turned on his side and closed his eyes. Joyce went down stairs. Hank would be home soon from work. He came in ten minutes later, kissed his wife.

“Where are the kids?”

“In bed, would you believe.”

“What, already, it’s not even seven o’clock yet, and still light!”

“I know, I think William has a touch of appendicitis…he didn’t eat his tea, or his breakfast come to that, and he told me his tummy hurt, he’s been extra quiet all day” Hank frowned, went up stairs.

Buffy was reading a book, William looked like he was asleep. Hank squatted down by the bedside, and whispered,

“Hello princess…don’t you think you ought to give William a little peace, and go in your own bed?”

“No daddy, he’s sick, and I must look after him” Buffy whispered back. Hank stood and smiled, leaned over and kissed his daughter’s forehead.

He didn’t kiss or touch William, as he didn’t want to disturb him. Hank went down and had his tea. At eight o’clock, Joyce went in to them, took the book off a sleeping Buffy and turned off the light.

They sat down to an evenings viewing, and during a commercial break, Joyce went to make a cup of tea. It was nearly ten o’clock.

She’d just put the tray down on the coffee table, when a white-faced Buffy came tearing down the stairs.

“Mommy, mommy! It’s William, he’s really hot and he’s going ‘ahhh’ and holding his tummy!”

“Phone the doctor!” Joyce said to Hank, and dashed up stairs.

“Mommy…it really hurts!” William said, his little face contorted with pain

“It’s ok baby…mommy’s here!” Joyce scooped him up and cradled him on her lap. She felt his forehead; he was running a temperature.

“Ten minutes, Joyce” Hank called up the stairs.

“What’s the matter with William, daddy?” Buffy looked really scared

“He’s got a poorly tummy, the doctors coming to give him some medicine to make him better” Buffy’s bottom lip trembled, and huge tears formed in her eyes.

“He will be ok?” Hank smiled, picked her up.

“Of course princess! Lets look out for the doctor, shall we?” After five minutes of waiting, with the front door open and the porch light on, Buffy could hear William crying, something he hardly ever did. She wriggled and Hank put her down, she dashed upstairs.

“Don’t cry William!”

“What’s wrong with him mommy…why won’t the doctor come!” She burst into tears, holding William’s hand. Then Joyce heard a car pull up and voices coming upstairs.

“Stand up, love, the doctors here” Joyce urged Buffy out of the way. The doctor came in, carrying his case.

“Right then, whose the patient?”

“William…I think it’s a touch of appendicitis, he’s been extra quiet and hardly touched his tea, and now he’s running a temperature, and it must hurt for him to get upset…” Joyce said.

“Ok…can you lie him down flat for me………there. Ok then William let me have a little look at your tummy…hmm…he’s a little distended. Is it here where it hurts?”

“Ye-yes! Ow! Mommy, it hurts!”

“It’s ok baby” Joyce looked worried, she kissed and stroked his head.

“Are you going to give him some medicine?” Buffy asked.

“Well, no. I think he ought to go to the hospital to see a doctor there to make his tummy all better.” He said to Buffy, then turned to Joyce

“Will you take him, or do you want to call an ambulance?”

“We’ll take him…oh gods, he WILL be alright?”

“I’m sure…”

“Mommy, where’s William going?” Buffy began to panic.
Hank wrapped a blanket around him and carried downstairs to the car. Buffy ran down after them.

“Twins?” The doctor asked, smiling

“No, William’s adopted, but they’re inseparable” Joyce said. Buffy was outside, in her nightie, nothing on her feet, crying. Grabbing her coat and slippers for her, Joyce picked up Buffy and put her in the back with William, who immediately cuddled him up.

Grabbing her purse Joyce closed the front door and raced to the car. They quickly got to the hospital. The doctor had phoned ahead, and they were expecting them.

William was put on a trolley and wheeled through some doors that they weren’t allowed to go through. Buffy was sobbing her little heart out, saying she wanted her William.

“Don’t cry love…the doctors will make him better.” She wouldn’t be calmed, and began to hiccup and sob, her breath catching until she was physically sick.

The nurse gave her some pink medicine to drink to calm her down.

Eventually she fell asleep on her daddy’s lap, her head on his shoulder, her breath catching in little whimpering sobs, every now and again.

An hour later, William was asleep in the recovery ward, having had an appendectomy. Joyce came through to Hank.

“I’ll stay here with him, you go have a quick look at him, then take Buffy home”

“Ok, love” he passed over their sleeping daughter to Joyce, and went down to the recovery ward. He stroked his sleeping sons head, and kissed his forehead. He went back to Joyce, and as she was handing over Buffy, she woke.

“William!”

“Shh, baby…doctors made him all better, he’s asleep now, but we mustn’t wake him”

“But I want to see him” her eyes big and her bottom lip a-tremble again.

“In the morning, love!”

“NO! Please mommy, please! I want to see him!” she started to cry again.

“What do you think?” Joyce asked Hank.

“I don’t know…that um, drip thing in his arm might frighten her” Hank whispered.

“I know”

“Oh dear…she won’t settle, even after that draft I gave her?” The nurse asked, giving them a pained smile.

“I –I w-w-want…to see…my W-W-Will-Will-yum!” Buffy sobbed.

“She’s his shadow” Joyce said to the nurse, giving her a pained smile, rubbing her daughter’s back while Hank held her.

“Are they twins?”

“The doctor asked me that, no, we adopted him two months ago”

“Will-yum…I wan-want my W-Will-yum!” Buffy sobbed.

“Let her see him, it won’t hurt” The nurse nodded and smiled.

“Um…the drip, it might frighten her”

“I’ve an idea…come on poppet, lets take you to see William” Hank put her down. Still sobbing, catching her breath and gulping, she eventually calmed. The nurse got her a tissue, squatted down in front of her, and she wiped Buffy’s eyes.

“Now, we must be quiet, ok, because he needs to sleep, come on then” She held the nurses hand, a little whimper caught her throat every now and again.

“Now, you’ll see that he has something in his arm, don’t worry, it’s just to stop any nasty germs that might hurt him, ok its to stop his tummy feeling sore, it’s keeping William safe” Buffy nodded.

“Is he better now?” she asked, a sob still catching her making her whimper.

“Yes. You can come and see him in the morning, when he’s awake”

“Will his tummy still hurt?”

“Um, for a little while, he’s got stitches” The nurse explained.

“Stitches? Like when Xander fell off his bike and cut his chin?” Buffy asked, round eyed.

“Yes, it’s where the doctor took out the bit of tummy that hurt him”

“But William had a tummy ache, he didn’t fall and cut himself” Buffy reasoned.

“Listen poppet, William’s had an operation, to take out a bit of tummy making him hurt, otherwise he could of got really, really sick. But he’ll be better in the morning, but he’ll have to rest, but you must be a big girl and be good for mommy and daddy, then you can see William tomorrow, ok?” Buffy nodded slowly, but she looked petrified.

“Can I touch him?” Buffy asked, her red-rimmed eyes looking pleadingly at the nurse

“Very gently then…try not to wake him” Buffy went round the bed and pulled the chair out quietly, knelt on it, and very carefully kissed his forehead, and whispered something to him. He stirred, and touched her hand.

The nurse had to bite back tears; she thought that she’d never seen anything so sweet and loving in all her life. As the nurse lead her out, she looked back at her brother for as long as she could.

“William’s had a… hopper-ray-shun and he’s got stitches like what Xander had, but I can see him in the morning” Buffy informed her parent’s matter-of-factly. They had both watched what she’d just done.

“What did you say to him?” Hank asked, stroking his daughter’s head.

“It’s a secret. I might tell you when I see him in the morning” Buffy said, enigmatically

“We’ll see” Joyce said.

“The nurse lady said…please mommy!” She started crying again.

“Oh…”

“Bye love, I’ll get her home” Hank kissed Joyce, who then went back to sit by William’s bed. Hank drove home. By now, it was nearly twenty past two in the morning, He put Buffy in William’s bed, she insisted.

“Promise I can see William in the morning, daddy” Buffy insisted.

“See what the doctor says”

“Please daddy!” she started to cry again.

“Ok, ok…shh, don’t cry” Eventually, she fell into a fitful sleep.


**
She went running into her dad at first light.

“Can we go now daddy, it’s morning!”

“Buffy!” Hank said sleepily. Rousing himself from about six layers of sleep, he wearily looked at the clock radio. He hadn’t come to bed until gone three, trying to do some work, as he knew he’d have to take half the morning off at least. It was 6.23am.

“It’s not half past six yet, it’s too early…come on, get in” he held up the covers, and Buffy got into bed, but wanted to talk.

“Princess, Daddy needs more sleep, I need to be able to drive the car safely, go back to sleep for a while”

“I can’t…I’ve tried”

“Well, then, go watch TV for a while, but quietly.” She got out of bed, went into William’s bed again.

Hank didn’t get back to sleep, and at seven thirty he was up and in the shower. Joyce phoned at ten to eight.

“How is he?”

“Oh, comfortable, he’s had a few sips of water. How’s Buffy, asleep still I bet”

“Huh, you’re joking, she was in our room at first light, demanding to be brought to see her brother, that was before half past six! I told her I needed more sleep so I could drive safely, I was up until gone three working on the Mason report”

“Daddy, can we go now?” Buffy demanded, she was dressed.

“Want to speak to mommy?”
She took the phone.

“What’s My William say?” Were her first words to her mommy.

“Um, he said, I’m thirsty, and he asked for you, but he’s gone back to sleep now”

“Tell him I won’t be long” Joyce smiled.

“Ok, love, I’ll tell him”

“Bye, see you soon” She put the phone down, Hank wanted to speak to Joyce.

“Oh. I wanted to talk some more to your mom” Hank said.

“You can see her in a few minutes, come on!” Buffy had the front door open, she’d put her shoes on and was carrying Mr Ted.

“Don’t I get any breakfast?” Hank asked, slightly bemused, doing up his tie.

“Come ON daddy, it’s cold!” Buffy called from outside. Hank rolled his eyes and got his keys. The cold morning air soon woke him up.

“I’ve been trying to phone you, Buffy put the phone down” Joyce kissed her husband’s cheek as he appeared outside the ward 15 minutes later.

“Where’s her coat?” Joyce asked Hank.

“Huh, I didn’t get her coat, or coffee, or even breakfast, she was rushing me out of the front door as soon as I came down from my shower…” Hank said smiling

“Come on, I want to see William, he needs me!” Buffy was pulling at her mother’s skirt.

“Buffy, William will still be asleep!” Joyce said.

“No he isn’t!” Buffy insisted.

“Goodness, you’re early!” The nurse smiled at Buffy, the one who’d taken her to see William in the early hours, she hadn’t even finished her nightshift.

“You said I could see him in the morning, and he needs me” Buffy said.

“Well, yes I did, didn’t I - and I know you love your brother very much!”

“She just idolises him!” Joyce said, by way of an explanation.

“She’s been champing at the bit to see him since before half past six this morning! So, how’s my son now?” Hank asked. Joyce said,

“He’s a little groggy still, had a few sips of water…”
Where’s Buffy gone?” Hank asked looking around. Joyce rolled her eyes. They went to the room, there was Buffy, sitting facing her brother on his bed, stroking his arm, their foreheads touching and she gave him a soft little kiss on his lips. They were whispering. Joyce teared up.

“She just loves him to bits”

“And he’s the same with her” Hank said. The nurse smiled and said,

“Ahh, that’s SO cute” there was a little huddle of nurses watching the two children, smiling and cooing over their antics. A doctor came into the room and smiled at them. Joyce and Hank went in.

“Sorry doctor, they’re inseparable, I can’t keep them apart!” He looked up and smiled.

“That’s ok, don’t even try to then…I’m sure he’ll get better far more quickly with her here, anyway” he smiled at them, then said to William,

“Ok then William, can I look at your stitches, see that they’re ok?”

“Get off the bed Buffy, there’s a good girl, let the doctor look at William, please” Hank said. She got off and stood by the doctor, craned her neck to look at his stitches. The doctor lifted the dressing, there was a little blood on it.

“Does it hurt?” she asked her brother.

“Nah…well, a little bit” William said.

“Ok then William, you can have some breakfast, some jell-o and a little ice cream.”

“Ice cream for breakfast?” William smiled and raised his brows.

“Special treat. Now, I’ll leave you in the capable hands of Nurse Buffy here, ok, I’m sure she’ll look after you, won’t you love?” Buffy beamed and felt hugely important!

“Oh yes!”

“Yeah, thanks!” the doctor wrote something on his chart, and the smiling at Hank and Joyce; he went to talk to them. He left after telling them all being well, William could go home the next day, and Buffy could sleep on a cot next to his bed.

He came back two minutes later, with a theatre cap he’d put a red cross on it and said it was for Nurse Buffy. She was SO proud! And fussed round William all day.

By late lunchtime, the early morning had got the better of them both, and they lay, side by side, holding hands, fast asleep. A doctor looked in on them and smiled when he saw them.

“I was told they were very close” he said to Joyce.
“She’s his shadow, I swear she hardly ever lets his hand go…but he never pulls away or wipes off her kisses, so…”

“Well, I’m sure he’ll get better far quicker with her here, we find that with twins”

“Oh, they’re not twins, he’s adopted…” Joyce said.

“Really? Wow! Well, they sure are close!” As they watched, Buffy stirred at William moving slightly, and as soon as they settled, their hands clasped again. The doctor smiled.

“I think that’s the sweetest thing I ever saw”
Joyce and Hank smiled.

The nurses thought them so cute, they made Buffy a name badge, with Nurse Buffy on it, and when it came for William’s medication, the nurse gave Buffy the little cup with the medicine in it to give to William.

“Tell him to drink it all up…then gently wipe his mouth, ok?” Buffy nodded, taking her ‘duty’ seriously.

“William here’s your medicine, you must drink it all up, ok?”

“Ok”

“There. You’re very good!” Buffy dabbed his mouth, fussing him.

“Shall we watch Spongebob Squarepants now?” William nodded, and Buffy lay next to him.
One of the doctors came in beaming a smile and said,

“Hello, hello, what’s all this then? We have a pretty new nurse on the wards, I hear…where is she?”

“I’m nurse Buffy!”

“Are you indeed…well, I see that you’re looking after your patient very well…so nurse Buffy, want to come on a date with me, I like pretty nurses!” he teased, grinning

“No…got to look after my William!”

“Oh, I see…so you love your William then?”

“Oh yes!” she nodded seriously. There was a discreet cough, and about eight nurses, who were crowded around the door all moved for the surgeon who had come to look at his patient.

“No wonder I couldn’t find a nurse when I wanted one!” They all grinned at him. He checked over William, and then fixed Buffy with a serious eye.

“You’ve been looking after him, I understand”

“Yes” Buffy nodded.

“Well, you’ve done an excellent job, and as there’s no swelling, and no high temperature, I think, as long as you keep looking after him, nurse Buffy, young William here can go home”

They both beamed, and Buffy hugged William. Everyone said,

“Awwwww!”

They left with armfuls of gifts, and Buffy carefully wheeled William out to the car in a wheelchair.
“Bring him back in five days for the stitches to be removed, but if he suddenly gets pain or a temperature, don’t hesitate to bring him back” Joyce nodded.

When they got home, Buffy insisted that she sleep on the camp bed next to William’s bed, so she could look after him properly!
“What harm can it do, just until he has his stitches out”

Three weeks later, William was totally better. His scar had healed nicely, and there were no complications. They left the surgeons office after having him checked over and Hank had promised to take them swimming.
Chapter 6 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
thankyou THANKYOU for the feeback, you lovely people have put me in the top ten for reviews for the first time ever! Thanks again!
Chapter 6


A month later………………………

“Right then, can you put these in the car for me Hank…There’s two Fudge Brownie tray bakes…and two batches of lemon and coconut buns. Buffy…Will, are you ready?”
Two pairs of feet thundered down stairs.

“Are we going to grandma’s?” Buffy asked.

“No, were going to St. Chads” The two children looked shocked at each other,

“NO MOMMY!” Buffy was big eyed and scared, William looked desolate.

“Come on then kids, get in the car!” Hank said coming back into the house.

“What’s the matter?” The smile went from his face when he saw the state of his son and daughter, Buffy being almost breathless.

“Joyce, what’s the matter with her? – Buffy, love,” Hank squatted down, worried

“N-NO! He, he, he, can’t…don’t make him g-g-g-go!” Joyce closed her eyes when she realised what they must have thought.

“Oh gods, come here, come here!” She cuddled up her son and daughter.

“Hey…it’s an open day. Were taking some cakes for the fete, it’s to say thankyou for letting us have William – he’s not got to go back there to live…”

“Y-y-y-y-you mean he hasn’t g-g-g-got to s-s-s-stay” Buffy sobbed.

“Gods no. Never. William’s ours now, he belongs to us, here with us, he’ll never have to stay there again…I’m sorry, I should have explained”

Buffy relaxed, she’d been so tense, holding onto him. William relaxed too.

Fifteen minutes later, when they got to the home, Buffy and William went off to the bouncy castle.

“You should have seen her, she absolutely panicked, thought that we were bringing him back here. It was my fault, I didn’t explain” Joyce said to Mrs Betts.

“Here you go” Hank came up carrying the two large polythene boxes of cakes Joyce had made.

“My contribution, Fudge Brownies, and lemon and coconut buns”

“Ooh, lovely…where’s Sharon…Judith, have you seen Sharon?”

“I’m here Mrs Betts”

“Oh, good. Take these to the cake stall, would you dear”

“I come with you, to get the containers – then I’ll take them back to the car, ok love?” Hank said, leaving Joyce and Mrs Betts to walk and talk around the fete.

“He’s settled in well I see, and he’s grown!”

“He’s such a wonderful little boy, he’s bought us such joy, and Buffy, well, she just absolutely idolises him”

“She always did, didn’t she!” Mrs Betts smiled, as she saw William blowing bubbles and Buffy jumping up to try and ‘catch’ them, they were both giggling.

“So, how are things here?” Joyce asked.

“Well, we’ve had two very disturbed children…they’d been abused, part of some Devil worshipping cult, and it’s caused us some major problems, monetary wise…I think we’ll be ok for the rest of this year, but…”

“What, they’re going to close you down?” Joyce looked shocked.

“Yes…pretty much a certainty…the authorities see this as, institutionalising the kids, they want them fostered out ASAP, via agencies, and for long term care, they want ‘Units’ not foster homes”

“Gods, Units, it sounds so…cold, so clinical”

“Yes, well, I agree, but what can we do.”

“What will happen to you?”

“Me? Oh, I’ve got about 6 years before I retire…I could go back to the child welfare unit at the police precinct…or do crèche work…s’cuse me – Oliver, calm down, and wait your turn!”

“Yes Mrs Betts, sorry Mrs Betts”

“Sorry, I was saying?”

“You were telling me what you might do after this” Joyce said.

“Oh, yes…or then I might just throw it up early, and go and grow vegetables … will you look at the two of them!” She nodded towards Buffy and William, holding hands, walking across the grass.

“I remember the day at the family court…the judge, Hortense Byrd, she’s been a friend of mine for over thirty years…she said to me, ‘I wish all my judgements were as easy as this one, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a child better placed’ when you adopted young William!”

Joyce smiled. Hank joined them, and watched as William bought Buffy a helium filled balloon.

“Mrs Betts was just telling me what the judge said the day we adopted Will”

“Oh?” Hank said. The two children spied their parents and came running over.

“Daddy…will you try and win us a coconut?” Buffy asked.

“Come on then – bye!” Hank called over his shoulder at Joyce and Mrs Betts, and taking his children by the hands, he led them over to the coconut shy. After winning them a coconut, he played ‘score three baskets’ and won a box of candy, and then he paid for William and Buffy to have goes on various rides and things.

Half an hour later, they came back to Joyce, laden with ‘prizes’. She was still talking to Mrs Betts, their conversation often interrupted by various people wanting things or information.

“Look mommy…My William gave me a Scooby Doo!”

“Did he now” Buffy nodded and proudly showed it off.

“He winneded it all by himself!”

“He won, not winneded it!” Joyce corrected, but she was smiling.

“Have you spent all your money, William?”

“Um…I’ve got…60 cents left”

“And how much have you got, Buffy?”

“Um, I still got my $5”

“William’s spent all his money, on you!” Joyce chided her daughter.

“I don’t mind…as long as she’s happy!” William said. Joyce ruffled his hair and hugged him.

“Best thing we ever did, adopting him” Hank said in a quiet aside to Mrs Betts, who nodded and beamed.

“It’s comments like that that make him so adorable” Joyce said. They watched as the two children ran off hand in hand again.

“She’ll buy him something now, and pay for a bounce on the castle or something…she’s not selfish” Joyce said.

“Mrs Betts, The Mayor will be here in five minutes” One of the helpers informed her. Mrs Betts stood and said,

“Well, it’s been lovely to talk to you, and to see William again, I always knew we’d have no problem placing him, he’s such an adorable little boy, and can I also say Hortense was right, I’ve never seen a happier placed child, you’re perfect for him. I’ll see you later, bye-bye”


***********

Nine months later, the home was closed, and boarded up. A further three months later, it had changed again………

“I’ve got an idea!”

“Hmm…what’s that? Joyce asked, draining potatoes over the sink.

“Tomorrow, I thought we could take the children out to eat”

“Okay, where?”

Hank winked enigmatically and said,

“You’ll see!”

******************


Buffy and William sat in the back of the car, they knew they were going out to eat, and Buffy automatically thought MacDonalds…

When her father didn’t take the right hand turn that would have taken them to the Drive-thru, she frowned.

“But daddy, MacDonald’s is back that way!” Buffy swivelled her head back from looking at the turning her father should have taken.

“Who said anything about MacDonald’s?” Hank glanced at Buffy through the driving mirror, and then at William, he noticed that William didn’t look too happy

“Where are we going then?” Buffy persisted

“This is the way to St Chad’s” William said sadly.

Buffy went huge eyed and started,

“Oh but daddy! – We don’t want to go to THAT place, it’s HORRIBLE!” She held onto William’s hand tightly………

“Don’t worry, I PROMISE you, you’re in for a big surprise, and you’ll like it!”

William and Buffy exchanged looks, not entirely convinced…

When Hank turned right, William had worked himself up into seeing the imposing red-bricked building that was St Chad’s, but was totally shocked when he saw a new, bungalow style building, with a huge neon sign outside stating that it was: Luigi’s Real Italian Pizzeria!

Gone was the red bricks, gone were the little flight of steps, gone were the tall imposing hedges that kept out the light, and gone were the two lawns that looked so inviting to play on, but notices told you to ‘Keep Off’…instead was a new building with a low roof, walls of glass where you could see inside.

Hank pulled up, undid his seatbelt and grinning he turned to face the children in the back

“There you go, St Chad’s is no more son, I wanted to show you, because I know no matter how many times we tell you that you’ll never have to come back to St Chad’s again, you don’t quite believe it – come on, I’m starving!”

“But darling…you eating pizza?” Joyce asked as they watched the children run on ahead

“Don’t worry, they do pasta, chicken, steaks and that too, I checked!”

*************************************



Easter break time, and Hank had taken a few days off – the children had requested swimming, eating out, the movies and their favourite, a trip to the wild-life centre for things to do………


At the baths, William could already swim, Buffy was wearing armbands still, and she didn’t like it if her face was splashed, but she managed a few strokes with William helping her.

“Did you see daddy, did you see?!” Buffy asked excitedly.

“Yes princess, I saw you” Hank said smiling.

After drying off, they went and had hot chocolate in the café, where they could overlook the pool and see the swimmers.

“Daddy”

“Yes, son?”

“Do you know what happened to my swimming Certificates?”

“Certificates?”

“Yes, my swimming Certificates, do you know?”

“No son…actually, we’re still waiting for a box of stuff to come from England. I tell you what, when we get home, I’ll make some phone calls, ok?”

“Thankyou daddy”

“There’s a good boy” Hank winked and grinned at him, and William smiled.

“What’s a sus-tifficate?” Buffy asked

“A certificate! Well, I had to do a test. I had to swim two widths of the pool, and then swim with pyjama bottoms on, and take them off, I’d got my trunks on underneath, and then dive down and pick up three things off the bottom of the pool” Buffy’s eyes were huge with admiration.

“You went and touched the bottom?” William nodded

“And you wasn’t scared?”

“No”

“Isn’t he brave daddy!”

“He sure is!”

“It was nothing. Then they gave me this piece of paper, to say I’d done it, that’s a certificate!” William said smiling.
Back home, Hank was as good as his word, and phone up the London solicitors. Half an hour later, he called William, and of course, Buffy came too!

“I’ve phoned the people in London who knows about this stuff, and they said they were still waiting to hear from the social services, but when they get them, they’ll send on what belongs to you, ok”

“Thankyou daddy”

“You’re welcome, son”

“Can we go play now daddy?”

“Sure you can, run along now” Hank went into the dining room where Joyce was laying the table for lunch.

“Did you know that that lot in London didn’t even know William was over here, and legally adopted now?” Hank said disgustedly.

“I’d like his original birth certificate too”

“All this should have come with him. London blames CA, CA blames London…I bet they’re sitting in a box somewhere in one of those trailer social service sites!”

“Probably. Or it could be with the solicitors. They needed the house deeds and there were some share certificate or something…I could ask Mrs Keogh at school. Right, will you call them to wash their hands, and I’ll dish up”

All through lunch, Buffy was full of how William touched the bottom of the pool, and how he wasn’t frightened.

“Right then, have we got everything for nana Summers?” Hank asked

“Buffy?”

“Yes…I got the picture I drew”

“And I’ve got the story I wrote, and the present from the wildlife centre” William said.

“Hello nana!” Buffy went and kissed her grandmothers cheek, then William did the same. She cuddled and held the two children to her.

“My darlings! Look at you!”

“This is for you nana, I wrote it specially for you” William handed her the neatly written story

“Did you now, right then, let me look” she reached into her apron and took out her glasses, and put them on.

“Right, let me see…’

Today mommy and daddy took Buffy and me to the Wildlife centre, and we saw squirrels, that were eating nuts, and some rabbits eating carrots. In the butterfly house we saw some really big butterflies and moths, and there were glass cases with spiders and snakes, but Buffy and mommy didn’t like those.

There was a man and his name was Bill and he had a huge snake around his neck, and he’d got a small one too, which he let me hold.

The snake stuck his tongue out at me, but the man said he wasn’t being rude or going to bite me, that’s the way snakes smell you.

We had a really good time. Buffy got scared me holding the snake, she was frightened that he was going to eat me! But I wasn’t scared.

By William Campbell-Summers aged 6’

“Well, aren’t you brave!” Nana cupped his cheek and smiled at him.

“I did a picture of the squirrels nana”

“Oh yes…let me see, that’s you, and that’s William feeding them, is that right?” Buffy nodded

“And we bought you this” William presented nana with a jar of special honey, made by the bees kept at the centre.

“Ooh, lovely. I’ll make a special honey cake for next time you come over and visit, ok”

“Yes please nana, I love your cakes!” William said. Nana ruffled his hair and kissed the top of his head, and then Buffy’s.

“Bless you my darlings. Okay then. Let me put these on the fridge door – so, who’s for some real lemonade?”

A chorus of yes pleases from children and adults alike, and nana took a big jug of homemade lemonade out of the fridge.

“Bring the glasses out son, we’ll sit on the veranda” Hank did as he was told. The children played with Benji, nana’s dog.

“He’s a fine boy…Buffy just dotes on him, doesn’t she?” The three adults sat at the garden table under the shade of the big umbrella.

“Did we tell you mom, the school want him to do a special test”

“What for?”

“Well, they say he’s exceptionally bright for his age, which he is”

“And what do you think, as a teacher, Joyce?” Hanks mother asked.

“Well, I don’t want to hold him back, but I don’t want him under any pressure either, I think children should learn at their own speed”

“Me too”

“I said let him do the test, but we don’t HAVE to follow it up” Hank said

“Best idea” nana agreed.

“What are they…what have they found?”

“Mommy, Nana, Daddy, come look!” Buffy called

“What is it?” Hank called, then they all went over to where the children were standing

“Look mommy…” William held apart a big green bush, and underneath it was a cat that’d given birth to three kittens.

“That’s Nancy’s cat, she’s been frantic, I’ll go ring her” nana said, going into the house

“Don’t touch them Buffy…the mommy cat just might think you want to hurt them, and she might scratch you” Joyce warned. A few minutes later, a grey haired lady, roughly the same age as Hank’s mother came carrying a basket,

“Oh, I’ve been SO worried about her…there you are!” Hank helped her lift the cat and kittens into the basket, and then he carried it into her house for her.

“Thankyou! Oh thankyou!” Nancy said smiling at the basket’s contents.

“Not me you’ve got to thank, it was the children!”

“Really? Send them round to me, would you”

“Sure. Will they be ok there?”

“Yes, they’ll get warmth from when I have the stove on…look at you, so tiny” Nancy cooed at the kittens.

“Hello…Mrs Thomas, daddy said you wanted to see us?” William said.

“That’s right, I did. Thankyou for finding Susie for me, I was very worried.”

“It was Benji really, we rolled his ball over by the bushes, and he got all excited and barked and wagged his tail, and wouldn’t come when we called him, so we went and looked, and there was Susie and her kittens” William explained.

“Well, as you were so good, put this in your money box”

“Oh, no, it’s alright, honestly, you don’t have to!” William said shaking his head at the two $10 notes she held out to them. Smiling at them, she said,

“I insist, thankyou”

“Thankyou Mrs Thomas, but you didn’t have to!” William said, taking one of the notes.

She followed them back round to their nana’s, where the children gave the money to Joyce to look after, and then they went back to play with the dog.

“Your son has such beautiful manners!”

“Doesn’t he!” Nancy went on to tell them what he’d said.

“He’s got the most loving nature about him, and I hate all the sadness he’s had to endure in his short little life” Joyce said.

“Well, they say god moves in mysterious ways…” Nancy said smiling, then she left to go see to the cat and kittens

“What you were saying earlier, about William being gifted”

“Yes?” Joyce asked

“Well, would it mean him going to a different school from Buffy?”

“More than likely, yes”

“You couldn’t do that to them, split them apart. I don’t think Buffy would ever forgive you if you did that”

“You’re probably right there ma!” Hank said smiling.








A few months later…………………


“Mom…can we go into town, but not take Buffy” William asked.

“Not take…you two haven’t fallen out, have you?” Joyce leant over her son surprised.

“NO! I want to buy her a birthday present, but I want it to be a surprise” Joyce smiled, ruffled her sons hair.

“Well, how about, when we go to the mall on Saturday, you and I go off on our own for a while, yes?”

“Ok”

“Will-yum!”

“Here”

“There you are…what are you doing?”

“Um…I came to get us a drink” William looked pleadingly at Joyce not to give him away.

“Oh good, I am thirsty” Buffy said, pulling herself up on the stool next to him. Joyce poured them both juice, and she secretly winked at William. Hank came in, and came straight into the kitchen. He kissed Joyce, then Buffy then William.

“Hello daddy…um…come with me” Buffy slipped down off the stool, and led her daddy into the hall.

“Can we go buy William a birthday present, but it’s a secret”

“Ok then poppet, we can do it at the mall, you and I go off, ok?” Buffy nodded happily.

“Coming outside Buffy?”

“Yes” She ran out.

“What was that all about?” Joyce asked.

“She wants to buy him a present, but in secret”

“And William does for Buffy, I said we can go off when we go to the mall!”

“Those two eh…just look at them, have you ever seen two kids so close?” Joyce and Hank watched as Buffy and William stood with their foreheads touching, William showing her something, they were both giggling.

“You know that what’s her name…oh, she works at the bank…” Joyce said, clicking her fingers. Hank frowned, and then said,

“Who, Lydia Kendal?”

“That’s her! Well, they’re having a party for Harmony, but it’s all girls, Buffy won’t go, because William’s not invited, you should have heard Buffy!”

“Why, what did she say?”

“Well, you know that wheedling voice Lydia’s got, she came over and said,

‘Buffy, would you like to come to Harmony’s birthday party, it’s a Barbie doll theme, everything pink’ and Buffy frowned and wrinkled her nose, and said, oh no, William would hate it! And Lydia said, but I’m not asking William, it’s girls only, so Buffy said, ‘I don’t go ANYWHERE without MY William! and they both ran off” Hank grinned, then said,

“So what did Lydia say to that?”

“Oh…just something about them being really close…it’s never waned, their closeness, has it?”

“Nope…you know, they always know what each other’s thinking, and they answer for each other”


Saturday came, and Joyce took William’s hand.

“Come with me William…we’ll see you later, half an hour, ok?” Before Buffy could ask where they were going, Hank whispered,

“Come on Princess, let’s go get William’s present” So Buffy didn’t voice any objection.

“Yeah!”

“Right, any idea’s what she wants?”

“Yes…She wants a ‘Sean the Sheep’ bag, it’s a backpack for school, in the shape of Sean the Sheep, they sell it in Macy’s and it’s $20…here, I’ve got the money” Joyce was going to say she’d pay, but she knew William really wanted to. They found it and William took it to the cash desk, and paid all by himself.

“So, princess, what does William want, do you know?” Hank asked Buffy.

“Yes, he wants the Britannia Encyclopaedia for his computer. It’s $24…here’s the money” Hank smiled

“Ok then where do we get it?” Buffy took him into the bookstore, and much to her delight, they’d got it, with a free dictionary and puzzles and games CD ROM too.

“He’ll love this!” Hank said. Buffy took it and went and paid for it.
As they were coming out of the store, William spied some sparkly hair scrunchies at $4, they looked very pretty, and William knew Buffy would love them, so he got them for her.

“I can hide them inside the bag, as a surprise” Joyce said nothing, but smiled and hugged him. He was such a thoughtful boy, he’d grow up into a fine young man, she just knew it.

When the birthdays came, the presents were a resounding success; Buffy absolutely adored her bag and hair accessories, and William loved his CD ROMs, they both used the gifts all the time. It didn’t matter what Joyce and Hank bought them, it was always secondary to what they bought each other.
Chapter 7 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
My computer had, what i can only describe as a mechanical 'brainfart' - and lost this chapter...i was going to leave it out, but had promised a wedding, so - when i found it again, it's now slightly time-line out of sync, and should have been straight after the adoption chapter - so please forgive me - better late than never, huh? Enjoy
Please read the author’s notes above – it explains the out-of-sync!

Chapter 7


Joyce put the phone down from speaking to her mother; she was smiling.

“It’s all arranged.” She said, going into the den.

“What’s that love?” Hank looked up from the adding machine, checking some figures.

“I’ll drive to Pasadena on Thursday, and you come on Sunday morning, will that be ok? – You do have Monday off, don’t you?”

“Yup…how is Grace?”

“She’s fine”

“And Tom?”

“I think she said that his arthritis is playing him up…but he won’t quit riding the horses everyday”

“Keeps him young” Hank said, smiling.

Buffy was showing William some photographs.

“That’s Nana Grace, she’s mommy’s mommy” William could see a photo of a lady with blonde/grey hair, smiling.

“She looks nice, kind, she’s got a smiley face” William said, then pointed to a man standing next to nana Grace, he had on a red shirt and jeans, he had grey hair and was wearing glasses, he was wearing a cowboy hat.

“Is that your granddad?”
“No, that’s Tom, Gramps died when I was a baby…I don’t remember him, I was too little…that’s Tom, he helps with the horses, nana has 17 horses on the ranch.”

“That’s mommy when she was young…mom…mommy” Buffy called.

“Yes honey?”

“How old were you in this picture?” Buffy held it up, Joyce smiled, she was standing next to the corral, in the background you could see the San Gabriel mountains. She was wearing tight jeans, a pale blue chequered shirt and cowboy boots, her long hair tied back into a loose ponytail; she’d just met Hank about six months previously, and had taken him home to meet her folks.

“I was 22, and had just met your daddy, we’d come home on vacation; we’d just finished university, it was 1982…see that man on the horse?” Both children nodded.

“Well, that was my daddy, and the man next to him, that’s Tom”

***********************


Thursday, mid-afternoon.

“And this, is William, who is a source of great joy and love to us…aren’t you love?” Joyce said, pulling him into a sideways hug and kissed the top of his head.

“Hello William, I’m very pleased to meet you” Grace said, smiling at him. William reached up and kissed her cheek, she felt very soft and she smelt like flowers.

“Hello, can I call you nana please?” Smiling and ruffling his hair, she then gently cupped his cheek and said,

“You certainly can my darling, now, would you like some tea, and something to eat?” Still cupping his cheek, looking into his beautiful blue eyes and smiled broadly at him.

“Yes please!” William said eagerly.

“And you Buffy”

“Oh yes!”

“Please” Prompted William

“Please!” Buffy said. The adults smiled.

“Please mom, we’re starving!” Joyce said. Buffy pulled William outside to look at the chickens and the rabbits they kept.

“He’s a fine young lad, beautiful manners, and has the most gorgeous blue eyes I’ve ever seen” Grace said.

“Hasn’t he – and I’ll tell you this, he’s the absolute love of Buffy’s life…she’s MY William this, and MY William that, she never let’s go of his hand, and she’s forever kissing him…he doesn’t object though, and protective…you have to see it to believe it, they’re each other’s shadow!”

“Ah, that’s so sweet” Grace smiled at her daughter.

“You should have seen them at the hearing in the family court, hugging and saying ‘I love you’ and ‘please let him stay with us’, she was petrified he was going to be taken away…I shudder to think what would have happened if there had been a hitch, I swear we’d have had to either broken the law and kept him regardless, or put her into care with him!”

“Did you have a good holiday?”

“Oh mom, it was just the best…they were truly little angels, not an ‘ap’orth of trouble from either of them, they were just perfect, I’ve bought a couple of video’s for you to see”

Grace poured tea, and put on some eggs to boil. Just then, Tom came in with the children; he was listening to Buffy talk. She, as usual was holding William by the hand, talking away ten to the dozen.

“Is that so…well!” he looked up, smiled, leaned over and kissed Joyce on the cheek.

“Joyce, lovely to see you!”

“And you Tom” she gently squeezed his hand too. She thought how well he looked, if a little leaner, and said as much to him.

“Yes!” Tom patted his stomach.

“Doctors orders, I’m afraid, the old arthritis in the hip…mind you, I suppose the horses are grateful for the weight I’ve lost! Trouble is, I have to pass on Grace’s fine baking, her chocolate fudge brownies though, are my one vice! Anyway, young Buffy here informs me that this is ‘her’ William, and they’re going to get married when they’re old enough!” Everyone smiled. Tom had his hands on the children’s shoulders.

“I hope you like boiled eggs, William” Grace asked, fishing the eggs out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon, and dropping them into carved wooden egg-cups.

“Hmm, yes I do, thankyou” he nodded.

“Good lad, well, take him upstairs Buffy, and you both wash your hands, then we can have tea, ok?”

“Come on William, I’ll show you” Buffy said, gently pulling William off towards the stairs. They went off.

“Fine boy” Tom said, to Joyce smiling.

“Yes. I was just telling mom…it was such a shame about his parents…” She went on to explain.

“Oh, that’s mighty sad…but I always say, god moves in mysterious ways…these things happen for a reason…and he couldn’t have a more loving family…Buffy plain dotes on him!”

They came downstairs, and Joyce helped them to the table, where nana Grace served them a big speckled brown boiled egg apiece. They had bread and butter, then cake and some of Grace’s famous chocolate fudge brownies.

Tom made the children laugh when he ‘sneaked’ an extra brownie, winking and making the children keep it secret, by holding his finger to his lips and winking at them! But Grace wasn’t daft, and playing him up, she winked at the children, and put her hands on her hips and said,

“Well, I think we must have a really big mouse round here somewhere…I could have sworn I put four brownies on that plate!” The children giggled, but didn’t give Tom away.

“Have you ever been on a horse, William?” Tom asked.

“No…they look very big…it would be a bit scary, I think”

“Well, we’ve got special saddles, and I promise you, you wouldn’t fall off, so if you want to ride, we’ll see about it tomorrow, ok?”

“Yes thankyou”

“Good lad!”


Out side the chickens clucked and flapped a little, and the cock crowed. A large calico cat came padding into the kitchen from outside.

“Golly, that’s a big cat!” William said. It was true, Onion, was very big, for a cat, and also very old, he was nearly 15.

“Hello Onion!” Joyce hauled the cat onto her lap, scratched him behind his ear, and then tickled his tummy. He purred like an outboard motor. William giggled at the name.

“That’s a funny name for a cat!”

“Isn’t it! But, that’s where we found him, as a kitten. He was on a net of onions outside in the shed. His sister, Dixie was in the old cooking cauldron. She died a few years ago now.

“When I lived in England, I had a cat called Sooty…she was all black, but had two white paws at the front”

“Have you had enough to eat love?” Joyce asked

“Yes thanks” he yawned, Buffy did too.

“Well, come on then, I know it’s early, but you’re tired…let’s get you off to bed, come on, say goodnight” Both children kissed nana, Buffy kissed Tom’s cheek, and he hugged William, Joyce took them upstairs. All the bedroom doors had been closed, and Joyce saw the children’s faces light up when they saw they had bunk beds to sleep in.

“I want to sleep at the top!” Buffy said. William automatically sat on the bottom bunk.

“You can take it in turns, William can sleep up there tomorrow, is that ok by you love?” She cupped his face.

“Fine” William nodded, yawned again, and began to get undressed.

When Joyce looked in on them before she turned in herself a couple of hours later, she showed her mother the scene. Buffy had decided that sleeping on top wasn’t such a big deal after all, and had crawled in with William. Grace smiled.

Tom said ‘goodnight’ and went into his own room.


“Will you ever marry Tom, do you think mom?” Joyce asked. Grace smiled, looked down twisting her apron.

“He asked me again last month, on his birthday…I don’t know. Your daddy and I had nearly 34 years of happy marriage behind us…and Tom, well, Tom’s always been there, in the background…he kept this place going when your father died, and when I was sick…I wouldn’t know what to do if he left…but marriage?”

“Mom, daddy’s been dead now for 6 years…he always thought of Tom like a brother, AND I know he’d be happy for you…and I know it’s not love’s young dream, but it’s companionship…and friendship”

“But we already have that, and when he retires, he would still live here, he knows that…”

“Well…think of him as somebody to warm your cold feet on!”

“Joyce!” They both smiled.

“You DO love him, I know that”

“Yes…but it’s a different kind of love to what your father and I …”

“I know that mom…like I said, I know it’s not loves young dream, but think about it, please”

“Has he said anything to you?

“No, honestly”

“And you wouldn’t mind?”

“Of course not, in fact, I’d be overjoyed”

“Really?”

“Of course really, heck mom, Tom’s been here longer than I have, I always called him uncle when I was a kid…seriously mom, please think about it”

“Well, I will, if you’re sure you won’t have any objections…but-“

“And I know what you’re going to say, Susan. Take no notice of my darling sister , you know what’s she’s like…”

“Well, she did think he was after my money, until I told her that Tom’s always been half owner of this place since we started, told her, it was Tom’s money that bought the first four horses, and set up the riding school.”

“What did she say to that?”

“Well, nothing…I didn’t give her the chance…”

“Don’t you let her talk you out of it mom, you marry Tom, take no notice. She didn’t approve of Hank when she first met him…”

“That’s true” Joyce yawned.

“I just wish………” Grace began

“Wish what, mom?”

Grace sighed

“I just wish Susan wasn’t the way she is with people…you especially – I used to blame myself for how she is………”

“Why – that’s ridiculous mom – how could it possibly be your fault she’s like she is?” Joyce asked incredulously.

“Well…don’t forget, I was 44 when I had you – you were a big surprise to me and your daddy – we’d been trying for another baby - then sort of gave up a few years after nothing happened…then suddenly after years of forgetting about having another child, I found out I was pregnant with you – we were worried at first, your daddy and I but, when the doctor said I was fit and healthy, and he saw no problems for us, we were overjoyed…then we broke the news to Susan…remember, she’d been on her own for ten years – 10 years of being an only child and the centre of attention………”

“Well mom, all as I can say is, she’s had thirty years now to get used to me being on this earth, and if she ain’t over her jealousy now, then she never will be – ohhhhhheugh! (she yawned) Excuse me! The travelling has got the better of me…tell me, does Monty still crow at dawn?”

“That’s not Monty…we had to pension him off…that’s Custer we’ve got now, and yes, 6.03am, he’ll crow” They both smiled at one another.

“G’night mom!”

“Night love”



Following morning.

“There you go…now, I’ll just step back, and let him trot round on the leash……….there you go, young William, you’re riding!” William smiled, concentrated on holding onto the reins as Tom had showed him.

He relaxed when he realised he wasn’t going to fall off, and began to enjoy himself enormously! Buffy thought she’d burst with pride.

“Isn’t my William so big and brave!” She smiled up at her nana, and jigged up and down.

“He sure is honey!” Nana Grace said smiling, stroking Buffy’s hair. After five minutes, Tom helped William off the pony, and he came striding back to Buffy.

“Oh William, you were brilliant!” She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him! William hugged her and grinned.

“Was I?”

“Oh yes, wasn’t he mommy, nana, Tom?” She looked at them in turn for confirmation as to what she’d just said. They all agreed and William glowed. One of the ‘hands’ came and spoke to Tom, and he said to the children,

“Do you want to see where we train the horses and make them better when they’ve hurt themselves?”

They said they did, and Tom took them to a special pool, where the horses swam to strengthen muscles. They watched as a horse was lowered into the water, it came up to chest height in the water, and then a treadmill machine was switched on and the horse began to paddle and swim. Tom explained to them.

After that they went in for some lunch, and nana Grace said that she’d got a special announcement to make that evening at dinner.

So, after a delicious dinner of nana’s special fried chicken, Grace stood and said she’d like to say a few words.

Tom looked up, thinking it was something to do with welcoming young William into the family. Which is what nana did. Tom went to stand, and Grace then said,

“And I have just one more thing to say,” So Tom sat.

“Last month, Tom asked me to marry him, again, I hasten to add, and I said I’d think about it, well, I have thought about it, and after a talk with my daughter, I’ve decided, Tom, if the offer still stands, then the answer, is yes, I’d love to marry you” Tom sat there stunned for a few seconds, then he jumped up and hugged Grace so tight, kissed her cheek.

“Oh Grace! – You do really mean it?”

“Yes Tom, I really mean it!” he hugged her, squeezing his eyes shut.

“You’ve made me the happiest man in the world! Joyce hugged them both, then Buffy and William. Joyce wiped her eyes, so did Tom and Grace. Grace knew she’d made the right decision, and she was glad of the little nudge that Joyce had given her.

“You won’t regret it, Grace, I’ll make you happy!” Tom turned to Joyce, and said,

“You have no objections?”

“Me? Totally on your side, gave her a nudge last night, told her, she was lucky to have you!” Tom hugged Joyce again. Buffy looked up at her grandmother and said,

“Nana…can I be bridesmaid?” Grace smiled, and cupped Buffy’s little face.

“Yes my darling, and William can be…”

“William can be my best man!” Tom said. William beamed.

“Good! Coz I didn’t fancy being a bridesmaid!” William said, grinning. Everybody was in fits of giggles.

“Knock, knock!” They all looked up, to Joyce’s surprise and delight, there stood her husband.

“DADDY!” Buffy shouted, and ran to him, pulling him into the kitchen.

“Nana and Tom are getting married and I’m going to be bridesmaid…not William though, he’s going to be the best one or something!” Everything was explained as Hank sat down for coffee.

“So, we’ve taken on two extra staff, and so, da-da! Yours truly can have a nice long weekend with you all!”

“Glad you came, son” Grace said, patting his shoulder, and putting a plateful of her fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy in front of him.

“Wow…look at this, worth driving the 120 miles for!” Hank said, tucking in. Grace smiled.

“Daddy, my William’s been riding, he was SO clever and brave, and he wasn’t scared and he didn’t fall off!” Buffy said. Tom and Grace smiled, at the ‘my’ William bit

“Did you now, well that’s very good son, I’m proud of you!” Hank winked at him, and William grinned.

“We saw the horses with the poorly legs go swimming, didn’t we Buffy?” William said. She nodded, leaning over the table, she reached for William’s hand.

“Come on…let’s watch TV now”

“Ok…glad you came here early daddy” William said. Hank hugged his son on the way past, and the two children went into the lounge.

“I’m so proud of that lad he’s terrific, a sheer joy, one of the best things we did isn’t it love, adopting him!” Hank said. He sat back, wiped his mouth.

“Oh yes” Joyce said.

“He is a lovely lad, and Buffy…” Grace began.

“Absolutely worships him, she loves the very bones of him she does!” Joyce said, smiling.
The following day, Joyce and Hank went for a ride with Tom. Grace didn’t ride anymore, not since her fall in 1997.

“So Tom, have you thought about a date yet?”

“Well, it’s early days, but I was hoping for around Thanksgiving…seems silly to wait, especially at our time of life. Um, thankyou for approving, I think she was a bit worried”

“Well, I told her, I’m very happy for you, both of you, I know Daddy would have approved too.”

“Like a brother to me, Dan was…this is the only family I’ve ever known. Do you think Susan will approve?”

“I’d worry if she did! No seriously, you take no notice of Susan…if you remember rightly, she said that Hank and I wouldn’t last five minutes, and here we are, 9 years down the line…”

“Personally, I think she’s bitter because she can’t have children” Hank said.

“Actually…even mom doesn’t know this, but she had an abortion when she was 17…I don’t know if something went wrong or…what. Anyway, like a say, don’t tell mom, I found out by accident, the day she came back from the doctors, I was coming up the stairs, and I could hear her arguing over the phone”

“Who’s was it? – Not Chuck’s”

“No. His best friend actually, I don’t know if you met him…he joined up not long after…oh, I’m trying to remember his name…Joe! That’s it, Joe Upton, we used to call him GI Joe, that’s it” Joyce said. The horses were walking along at a steady pace, there was no rush.

“Did Chuck know?”

“I doubt it, he got a bit upset with her as she wouldn’t write to Joe when he was away, but I think she got a friend to instead, made an excuse that it wasn’t ‘proper’ to write to another man while she was dating his best friend or something.”

“I never knew that…well, she needn’t come all ‘high and mighty’ over me now I now things about her!”

“Hank!”

“Well…woman gets on my nerves” Hank reasoned.

“Look at the time she practically slept across the doorway in your room, we were three weeks from getting married!” Hank said.

“Well, I suppose…I don’t know…” Joyce shrugged.
Chapter 8 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 8


Saturday


“Shall we go see what Grace has made for lunch, I’m starving!” Hank said, expertly turning his horse around. They galloped back, and William and Buffy were so surprised when they saw that it was their daddy and mommy that had galloped up in a cloud of dust.

“Wow!” William said, standing up and dusting his hands off. Tom came riding up.

“Can’t go at a gallop these days, shakes the old bones up too much!”

“Hi ya…what have you two been up to then?”

“We’ve been feeding the chickens, and the rabbits…and that man…um, Gabe said that there was a new foal born…he said we could name it!”

“Did he…?” Hank grinned at the children.

“Come on then miss Buffy, and you Mr William…come and see the new foal” Gabe said, smiling. The children raced around to the stables.

“Oh…is it a boy horse, or a girl horse?” Buffy asked.

“It’s a girl horse” Gabe said.

“Princess B! Like daddy calls you princess, I think she’s real pretty!” William said. Buffy blinked, then grinned.

“Oh yes!”

“Ok then, Princess B, for Buffy it is!” Gabe said, smiling at the children.

“Daddy! My William has named her Princess B, after me!” Joyce, Tom and Grace had heard this too, and thought it so sweet. This made Buffy more in love with William than ever.

“Ok then folks, if you’d like to wash up…lunch is served” After a lunch of cold cuts and salad, and some homemade bread, Joyce and Hank took Grace and the children into Pasadena to do some shopping.

Buffy was swooning with glee in the wedding shop, looking at all the beautiful dresses. There was a young woman, about 22, trying on gowns. She had her sister and her mother with her, and when she came out with this really pretty dress with sparkly diamonds on the bodice, Buffy was transfixed.

“I want that dress when I marry my William!” She said to her mommy. The three ladies heard this, and smiled.

“Is it her brother?” The ‘bride’ asked

“Sort of, he’s adopted, and she’s besotted!” Joyce said.

“What’s besotted?” Buffy asked. Joyce hadn’t realised she’d heard.

“Oh, um, it means you love him”

“I do. Very much. We saw a newborn foal today, and William said to call her Princess B, after me, as she was very pretty…B for Buffy, that’s me!”

“Oh, that’s so sweet!” the mother of the bride said. They were all smiling.

“Isn’t it…”

“Which do you like Buffy, the blue or the green?” William asked. He was showing her the cummerbunds and ties to match.

“Oh, the blue…will you wear a suit?”

“I expect so” William said.

“So William, which do you like, the blue or the green?” Grace asked, smiling

“Blue, like Buffy does”

“That’s settled then…”

“Are you going to wear a big white dress, nana?”

“Good heavens, no love, I’m way too old for that!”

“No you’re not!” Buffy said, then said,

“She isn’t too old, is she William?”

“Course not, you’d look really pretty in one, I’m sure!” Everyone beamed.

“There you go then mom, what William says is gospel!” Joyce said, grinning. Grace smiled too.

“I do rather like this…” she took down a pale cream coloured shift dress.

“Well, go try it on”

“Do you think I should?” Everyone nodded to her. She pulled the curtain back, and smiled.

“There, what do you think?”

“Oh mom!”

“Nana!”

“I said you’d look really pretty!” William said. Grace looked so beautiful, and the dress fitted her like it was made for her.

“You must have it mom!”

“Do you think I should…I feels wonderful, but it’s expensive!”

“It LOOKS wonderful!”

“You think I should have it?” Buffy and William grinned and both nodded.

“Ok then, that’s it, I’ll take it!”

“Hold on, before you take it off…try this………” Joyce put on a small hat in the same colour as the dress, it had a little lace veil that covered the eyes.

“Oh nana, that looks very pretty!” Buffy said. William sat in the chair quietly, looking at his Pokémon cards, until it was time to go.

Grace said she’d already got shoes and a bag, and then they looked at the bridesmaid dresses for Buffy. They picked out a pretty little peach dress and Buffy loved it.

Back home at the ranch, Tom said that Susan had rang. This wasn’t unusual, she rang a couple of times a week, but not usually that early.

“Did you tell her, about us getting married?” Grace asked, smiling.

“My dear Grace, I want to shout it from the roof tops, but it isn’t my news to tell, so, I didn’t”

“I wonder what made her ring so early?”

“I think she wants to come and stay, Chuck’s got to go away on a course”



Later that afternoon


“You’re WHAT?” Susan said, crashing her mug down on the counter so the tea slopped over. She was shocked. Grace looked at Tom, and heaved a sigh and rolled her eyes.

“Why are you so against it, why can’t you just be happy for us, like everyone else is?” Grace asked her daughter.

“I didn’t say I was against it…I just wondered why, that’s all”

“Why does anybody get married?” Tom asked her.
Susan had no proper answer to this, or if she did, she knew it wouldn’t cut any ice.

“I love your mother, we can grow old together, be there for one another”

“But…doesn’t matter”

“Go on, I’d much rather hear what you have to say”

“Well, it’s not money, is it? – I mean, you told me he already owns half of this place anyway” Susan was playing with a teaspoon on the table, not looking at either Tom or her mother.

“Why does everything always boil down to money with you?” Joyce asked, coming into the kitchen, loaded with shopping. Following her into the kitchen were the children and Hank. They’d been into Pasadena again. She put all their bags on one of the chairs. Tom went and filled the kettle, put it on.

“And hello to you…golly, you look well Joyce” Susan took in her sister’s fit figure and smart new hairstyle and colour. Well, it was new to her, anyway.

“Can we have a drink please, Nana?” William asked.

“Of course you can my darling, what would you like?” She cupped his little face and then she hugged him.

“Um…”

“There’s juice, or milk…or I know, (she bent over, looking him in his beautiful blue eyes, and smiled at him) got some homemade lemonade, would you like some of that?”

“Did you make it nana?” William looked up at her.

“I did”

“Yes please then!”
She gave him another hug and kissed the top of his head.

“You go sit love, I’ll bring it to you”

“And some for Buffy”

“Of course honey!”

“Oh, he calls you nana” Susan said.

Closing the fridge door, Grace frowned, put the jug of lemonade on the counter and turned to face Susan.

“He’s my grandchild, why not, what else would he call me?”

“But…well, he’s adopted” Susan reasoned.

“I shan’t even dignify that comment with a reply” Grace got out two glasses and poured the drink.

“So, are you going to introduce me to your adopted son?” Susan asked.

“Let him have his drink first”

“Where did you get him from?”

“You make him sound like a stray dog” Hank said, annoyed.

“Well, I only asked…broken home was it?”

“No. His parents were killed in a car accident, if you must know…he only had one other relative in the world, and she’s got MS and in a wheelchair now, in a residential nursing home” Joyce said. she could feel the irritation just being near her sister rising fast.
Buffy said,

“Nana, can William and I help feed the chickens?” Grace put her arms around both children’s shoulder’s, and smiling she said,

“I was just going to ask you…you must be doing something right, we’ve had three extra eggs yesterday and today!”

“William…this is my sister, Susan, Susan, this is William”

“Hello – Do I call you auntie?”

“I suppose. Hello William.”

“When we’re grown up, I’m going to marry William” Buffy said, taking William’s hand in hers.

“What? Don’t be silly, of course you can’t” Susan frowned.

“Yes I can!” Buffy said, standing, hands on hips, she too was frowning.

“But he’s…”

“Susan…” Joyce shook her head once at her sister.

“Come on William, let’s go help Nana” They ran off, William shouting ‘Bye’.

“Why do you let her think that – that she can marry him?” Susan asked.

“Oh for gods…what harm does it do, they love each other, it shines out of them, he’s very protective of her, and she dotes on him, they’ll eventually grow out of it, I suppose, meanwhile…” Joyce asked, annoyed. Susan shrugged.

“Anyway what do you know about having kids…” Hank asked, looking over his newspaper.

“That was below the belt” Susan scowled

“Don’t start…I’m not in the mood for you” Joyce said to her sister.

“Who’s starting – it’s your husband with his sarcastic comments!”

“I’m going out…what time’s tea?” Hank had folded the newspaper. He too felt really irritated by Susan and thought that if he got out of the way, then he could keep his good humour.

“Ask mom, she’s out feeding the hens” Joyce said quietly, she patted Hank on the shoulder, and gave him a light kiss. Hank went outside. She turned to her sister.

“You always manage to do it, don’t you?”

“Do what, what have I done?”

“Rub Hank up the wrong way”

“He’s too…”

“Be VERY careful what you say…Hank is a wonderful father and husband”

“As you never fail to remind me”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Well…the way you go on…anyone would think he’s gods gift or something” Susan said.

“Um, Joyce…just look at this” Tom called.
Joyce followed the direction of the disembodied voice, and found Tom on the porch.

“What’s that Tom?” Joyce went to the outside door where Tom was standing

“The peace and tranquillity of not being by your sister and her silly comments!” Tom said, sotto voice and smiling. Joyce smiled too.

“You know, I always promise myself that I won’t get annoyed, or loose my cool, or argue with her, then she’s not here two minutes, and she’s already managed to upset everyone and get my dander up”

Grace was walking back to the kitchen, Hank was playing with the children.

“Susan on her own is she?”

“I called Joyce out, Susan was being…” Tom shrugged diplomatically.

“Susan. Susan, was being Susan as usual, and opening her big mouth” Joyce said.

“Joyce…I’m taking the children to the woods, ok?” Hank called from outside.

“Ok love, be careful”

“Hold on…I’ll come with!” Tom grabbed his hat and a basket, and strode off outside.

“Come on then…I’ve promised my grandchildren and son-in-law roast lamb and all the trimmings for dinner” Grace said, tying on her apron.

“Great…want help with the veggies?” Joyce asked her mother


Half an hour later


“Look nana! Look what we’ve picked!” Buffy looked at her nana’s face when Tom put a laden basket of blackberries and apples down on the kitchen table.

“Ooh, lovely…I know, I’ll make a nice big apple and blackberry crumble for after dinner, would you like that?”

“Yes please!”

“Daddy and Tom lifted us to the trees and we picked the apples mommy!”

“And we saw squirrels!” William said.

“S’cuse me ma’am…is Tom there?” One of the ranch hands asked at the back door.

“Tom” Joyce called.

“Joyce?”

“You’re wanted, back door”

“Gabe, what can I do for you?”

“Do the children want to come see Princess B, she’s out with her mother in the field, first time out”

“Buffy, William…Tom called. Both children came into the kitchen.

“Want to see Princess B?” They both nodded and grinned and went out. Susan had got a knife, and began to prepare the apples that the children had picked. Grace put a pan on the table for them to put the prepared fruit in.

“I can’t place that accent” Susan said.

“Whose?”

“Your adopted lad’s?” Joyce’s hands flopped to her lap.

“Is it really necessary for you to say, ‘adopted’ all the time? THE lad’s, or your son’s…would be sufficient”

“Well?” Susan asked, ignoring what Joyce just said.

“Well what?” Joyce asked.

“Where’s he from?”

“England…North London to be precise, place called Highbury”

“He’s English?”

“Yes” Joyce gave her a look as if to say, ‘what now?’

“But, well, why did you pick him?” Susan asked. Grace caught the look on Joyce’s face and she too rolled her eyes, shaking her head a little.

“What do you mean, why…why not?”

“Well… there are enough American children up for adoption…or, why not have one from a war torn or famine ravaged country, that would have been more… noble, more fitting”

“What are you on about, noble? – I –We didn’t adopt William to be noble, we adopted him because we love him, he’s a super little boy, who’s kind and loving and…I’m out of here, before…” Joyce threw the knife into the water. It landed with a ‘plop’ in the pan, and splashed Susan in the eye.

“You do talk some absolute RUBBISH at times, don’t you?” Grace practically hissed at her elder daughter. Hank came into the kitchen, could sense an atmosphere, took in the look on Grace’s face and the lack of Joyce.

“Where did Joyce go?”

“Out to the children, I think.” Hank put his mug down on the counter and went out. Joyce was petting a stallion in the corral.

“You ok, love?”

“I think I’m glad to be going tomorrow” Joyce said.

“Now, come on…don’t let her get to you…”

“You didn’t hear what she just came out with”

“And you better not tell me…it had been lovely up until she arrived, hadn’t it”

“Mommy, daddy, look!” Buffy called. They both looked up and saw William feeding Sienna, Princess B’s mother, sugar lumps off the palm of his hand. Buffy was wincing and shying away a little, scared that the horse might hurt him. When all the sugar had gone, William patted the white blaze on the horses nose.

“You’re so brave!” Buffy hugged him, and holding hands, they ran off to look at the rabbits.
Dinner was a little strained, it seemed no matter what Susan said, she said the wrong thing.

“When are you getting married then?”

“We thought around Thanksgiving…before Christmas anyway” Tom said.

“So soon, you’re not dying, are you Tom, you’ve lost weight” Susan asked.

“Susan!” Joyce banged down her cutlery.

“What?”

“For god’s sake woman…how crass can you be?” Hank said with exasperation.

“I only asked” Susan said, helping herself to some potatoes.

“So, when you adopted William…he didn’t have any other family, at all?”
Luckily, Buffy and William had been allowed to leave the table as they’d finished.

“No, he only had an aunt, the one with MS, I told you” Joyce said.

“Seems odd…still” Susan shrugged.

“What?” Joyce asked

“Well…young kid, his parents didn’t have family, neither of them…”

“Just what are you getting at, Susan?”

“Nothing…I’m just saying…it seems odd, that’s all” Joyce was frowning; she didn’t understand what Susan was getting at.

“Huh, you’re odd – Thankyou for the delicious meal grace, but I’m out of here - now!” Hank said, and threw down his napkin and scraped his chair back, and stood up.

“Hank…there’s something I’d like you to look at…” Tom stood, and both men went into the study. Joyce stood, began stacking the dirty crocks.
Susan hadn’t finished her coffee, and lit a cigarette.

“Not in the house” Grace said, picking up a vegetable tureen and the gravy boat, to take them into the kitchen.

“Treat me like a leper, why don’t you” Susan moaned. Just to annoy people even further, she left the backdoor wide open to smoke on the porch.

“I swear to god, I’ll swing for that woman one of these days…what was she trying to say, about it being odd about William’s lack of family?” Joyce asked her mother.

Grace shook her head,

“Love, I have absolutely no idea…don’t let her get to you…you know…I’ve half a mind not to…” Grace shut the dishwasher door, turned the dial, and a rushing water sound could be heard as it began it’s cycle.

“Not to what?” Joyce asked, covering a dish filled with leftover potatoes with film-wrap. Grace put them in the fridge.

“The wedding, not invite her.” Grace shut the fridge door and leant against it, then asked,

“Would that be so terrible?”

“No, course not – actually, it would be fine by me!” Joyce said.

“Would what be so terrible?” Susan asked. Neither Joyce nor Grace answered her.

*****

“Look, absolutely no problem…I’ll get the legal department to cast a glance over it, but I’m sure every things in order” Hank said to Tom, as they came out of the study.

“Be careful what you sign, mom” Susan said.

“What are you on about now?” Grace asked, totally exasperated.

“What Hank was just saying…legal department…Tom isn’t trying to…you know…do you out of what’s legally yours”

“For the love of god…WHAT are you on about now?” Grace raised her voice, which was very unusual for her.

“All I’m saying is, if you go, you know, die first…”

“Susan. If you’re suggesting what I think you’re suggesting, it doesn’t make sense. Who, would Tom leave his money and shares to, other than me?”

“All I’m saying is…”

“Tom has nobody in the world, other than us” Grace said. Tom decided to but in, and trying to keep his voice even and not to shout, he said,

“Susan…I’ll say this, so listen carefully. If I die before Grace, everything I own, will go to her. If Grace dies before me, then I shall leave everything to those two children through there, ok? – End of story”

“Well! That’s fine I must say…why should HE get anything? – And getting Hank to look over legal documents, too’, when he stands to gain it’s not fair!” Everyone looked at Susan.

“What are you on about, Hank stands to gain, what? – I’m asking him about a public liability insurance claim we have at the riding school…” Tom said.

“A…Oh, I thought it was your will, or one of those pre-nuptial thingies”

“By he, did you mean my son?” Joyce asked, her temper bubbling to the surface.

“What? Oh. Um…well, yes”

“Listen lady…I’ll leave my money to whom I want, and quite frankly, I’d rather see it burn, than you have a penny of it” Tom said, and left the room, to be quickly followed by Grace, Hank and Joyce.

“Look mommy…that’s Gabe, he ‘s very clever with that rope thingy, he caught a steer with it” Buffy said. They were watching a video of a rodeo they’d had at the ranch the previous month.

“Did he darling…” Joyce smoothed her daughter’s hair.

“Mommy” Buffy began to draw circles on her mothers knee with her finger, while she thought, and then looking up at her mother, she asked, I CAN marry William if I want to, aunty Susan’s wrong, isn’t she?” Buffy was looking big eyed at her mother.

“You, take no notice of that silly woman princess, you can if you want” Hank hauled both children up by him on the sofa, and cuddled them both.

Susan glanced in on the cosy family scene from the kitchen doorway, and decided that she had no part in it, and just went to bed, without even saying goodnight. Both Buffy and William fell asleep on the sofa.

“It’s the air, and all the running around they’re doing, knocks them out!” Hank carried them up to bed, individually. Joyce asked if he wanted tea, but he and Tom decided to have a whiskey instead.

“Tom…I’ve decided, I don’t want Susan at our wedding” Grace said.

“Fine by me love, you have who you want, or rather don’t want…”

“Where is she, anyway?” Tom looked round.

“Who cares?” Hank asked, draining his Scotch.

“Mind if I have a re-fill?” Hank asked.

“Help yourself” Tom gestured to the drinks cabinet.

“We’ll go just after lunch tomorrow mom…I’m back at the gallery on Wednesday, and need to catch up on some correspondence”

“Ok love, I understand”

“How long’s she staying?”

“Huh, too darn long!” Grace said

“I think she said she was going tomorrow night, I’m not 100% on that though, so don’t quote me” Tom said.



Sunday evening

“Bye then, young William” Grace gave him a hug and kiss.

“Bye nana…it’s really good having a nana, I’ve never had one before, now I’ve got two!” William said, giving her a hug.

“Bless you child!” Grace stroked his head, then kissed and hugged Buffy.

“Bye my little bridesmaid to be!”

“Bye nana…will you be my bridesmaid when I marry William?”

“I might be too old then!” Grace said laughing.

“Hey, careful, you’ll be loosing that!” Tom said, ‘magically’ finding a $20 note behind both William’s and Buffy’s ears. Both sets of children’s eyes lit up, and they grinned.

“Oh, thankyou Tom!”

“Yes, thankyou!” Buffy said

“Now, remember, you just be kind to me in your best-man speech!” Tom teased William.

“Speech?!” William looked at Tom, round-eyed.

“Oh yes, it’s traditional, the best man reads out a speech…don’t worry, I’m sure your dad will help you” Tom said, grinning.

“Course I will, son. Now, shall I keep that safe for you until we get home?”

“Please” William said, surrendering the money to his father.

“Now, remember, just you waste it, don’t do anything sensible like saving it, will you?” Tom joked
Hank fixed the seatbelts for them and they waved and drove off.

After a good journey home, Joyce phoned her mother to tell her they’d arrived home safely.

“Susan still there?”

“No, she left just after you did, thank god…I sound terrible, don’t I, I can’t stand my eldest daughter!”

“Mom…have you…I mean, don’t think I’m daft or anything…but when was the last time you saw Chuck?”

“Oh now…let me see…it’s been a good long while…can you remember, Tom?”

“What’s that, love?”

“The last time we saw Chuck”

“Oh now…He came to Dan’s funeral…did he come to Marilyn’s wedding? I know Susan was there.” Tom said.

“No, he didn’t come to the wedding, remember, she came by train…made a right fuss of the cost of the taxi from the station. The last time I saw Chuck, was three Christmas’s ago…they dropped in some cards and a doll for Buffy” Joyce said.

Grace re-iterated this to Tom.

“Joyce said she saw him three Christmas’s ago…you know, thinking about it, that’s about the time I saw him…three years ago” Grace said, then added,

“Tom’s nodding here…I’m sure it was three years ago…it is, because I had my fall in the March, and I haven’t seen him since my fall” Grace said.

“He didn’t even come to visit you in hospital…I remember now. Do you ever speak to him, on the phone?” Joyce asked.

“Actually…no, it’s either the Ansaphone, or Susan”

“And she always says that he’s busy working, or away on a course…do you reckon he’s left her, and she’s too…ashamed to say?”

“It’s quite possible…” Grace said

“What’s that?” Tom asked, wanting to know what Joyce had just said.

“Well, Joyce reckons he’s gone, and she’s too ashamed to say”

“Think you’re right, love!” Tom called out, Joyce laughed.

“Children ok?”

“Yes, they fell asleep on the way home…they’re both as good as gold, absolutely no trouble, ever”

“They are both delightful children Joyce, I love William just as much as I love Buffy”

“I know mom…well, I better go, I’ll phone you in the week…oh yes, and Hank say’s he’ll fax that info on public liability through to the riding school, ok – bye then”

“Bye love”
Joyce went into the lounge.

“Mom and Tom think I or rather you might be right”

“What, about Chuck legging it?” Hank drained his Scotch.

“Put it this way, I think he’s a jerk too, but I wouldn’t blame him for running away from your sister!” Joyce smiled.
Chapter 9 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 9

Hank was talking to Joyce on the phone from work…

“Anyway, Larry wants me in Tucson next Friday to do some company lectures, come with me, you and the children could stay at the Holiday Inn, I’ll do the business meetings, and the two Saturday seminars, I’ve got one AM, and the other PM and then we can come back Sunday, what do you say?”

“Great! I might even toddle on over the border, do a bit of shopping…” Joyce said.


********************

Saturday, Mexico

“Mommy…that man’s talking strange…he’s talking scribble!” Buffy said

“No darling, he’s speaking Spanish! That’s his language” They were walking from the car park to the shops.

Joyce was still smiling at her daughter’s comment, when she looked up, and what she saw absolutely floored her. There, coming out of a family restaurant, was Chuck. But in tow, was a smallish Mexican woman who was holding the hand of a toddler, and she was pregnant, very pregnant…Chuck reached for her hand, and held it, as they crossed the road.

“Oh my gods!” Joyce said, little above a whisper.

“What’s the matter mommy?” William looked up worried.

“Um, come on, follow me!” Joyce swiftly crossed them over the road, and called ‘Chuck’. He ignored or didn’t hear at first, until she called again, and he looked up.

“Chuck?”

“JOYCE! Um, wow…fancy seeing you here…erm” he looked slightly taken a-back at her, then at the woman he was with, then gave the woman some keys, and said something in Spanish, something about a car, was all Joyce caught.

The woman nodded, and without a word, she looked slowly from him to Joyce, turned and walked the way the toddler pulled her.

“I take it you’ve left Susan, then?”

“You don’t know?”

“Know what?”

“We divorced over two years ago now…I’m um, I’m married to Conchita, that’s her with Sanchez in the car…we’ve another one due very soon, next week in fact”

“I’ve got a son…we adopted young William here a few months ago” Joyce stroked the back of William’s head.

“Hello, Buffy, William”

“Hello” Both children chorused.

“This man used to be married to aunty Susan”

“Did you run off? My daddy say’s if you did, he wouldn’t blame you!” Buffy said. Joyce coloured up, slightly.

“Buffy!”

“It’s alright…you know what they say, ‘out of the mouths of babes and sucklings…’ Have you seen her?”

“Last weekend…gods she’s such a bitch!” Joyce said. Chuck grinned.

“She hasn’t changed then…”

“She honestly never said…too ashamed I suppose…oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming you…not for an instant, I don’t know why you hooked up with her in the first place”

“Actually, it was my fault…I met Conchita at a conference…I didn’t mean to fall in love with her…but there you go. You’re looking very well, I might add”

“Thankyou…oh, there’s my phone…look, Chuck, keep in touch, send me some photos, I promise not to say a word to her, if you don’t want me to” Joyce said.

“Joyce, I couldn’t care less who knows, I’m so happy now. Anyway, I will keep in touch, you still live in Sunnydale I take it?”

“Yes…look after yourself, it’s been great seeing you”

“Bye”

“Bye Joyce” her mobile had stopped ringing by the time she got it out of her bag.

“It’s your dad…” She pressed his number.

“There…Hank?”

“Hi love, I ended the call in case you were driving or eating or something…we’ve just broken for lunch, with any luck, I should be back at the hotel for about 5.30pm, or there abouts”

“Oh Hank! You’ll never guess who I’ve just ran into?”

“Well, you sound excited…Tom Cruise?” Hank joked.

“No, listen to this, my EX, brother-in-law, Chuck, his new WIFE Conchita, and baby son Sanchez, and she’s about to have her second child next week!”

“Good god!”

“I know! I’d just parked and we’d crossed the road, and I looked up and saw them coming out of a restaurant, I called him twice, he looked up. He’d got NO idea that we didn’t know that he and Susan were divorced! I told him to keep in touch!”

“Are you going to tell Grace?”

“Do you think I should!”

“Well…look, I’ll be at the hotel as soon as I can, ok”

“Ok then, bye love” Joyce took the children, did a little shopping, and got back to the hotel a little after four o clock. Hank came in at ten past five.

“So, how did he look?” Hank asked, as Joyce handed him a cup of tea.

“Happy!”

“He didn’t introduce his wife then?”

“No…he looked shocked to see me, then handed her the car keys…the little one they’d already got was pulling at her towards a station wagon. Looked a sturdy little chap!”

“Well I never…did he ask about her at all?”

“I told him we’d seen her last week…”


*************


“Brace yourself mom” Joyce said, down the phone.

“Joyce, what is it, you’re worrying me”

“I saw Chuck, not two hours ago, in Mexico, with his new WIFE and toddler son, and she’s expecting another baby next week!”

“Oh my gods…are you sure it was him?”

“Yes! I spoke to him and everything!”

“Well!”

“He was shocked we didn’t know…about the divorce and that”

“I’m shocked…hold on…TOM………TOM………he’s out mending the chicken fence…TOM!”
Joyce heard Tom say, ’Yes love?’

“Come and speak to our Joyce, you’ll never guess!” the receiver was passed over and Tom said,

“Hello Joyce”

“I’ve just seen Chuck in Mexico, with his new wife and son, with another baby on the way next week, he actually divorced Susan over two years ago”

“Good gods! You actually spoke to him then?”

“Yup! He was shocked to learn that we didn’t know……………………”

“Are we going to tell Susan we know?” Hank asked.

“I don’t know…I think one more sarcastic comment like she came out with about you, and I just might!”



****************************

Five Weeks Later



“Ok mom, we’re leaving now, see you this evening” Joyce said, and put the phone down. Hank came down stairs, carrying a parcel wrapped in white wedding paper.

“Shall I put this in the trunk?”

“Oh yes…I’d have forgotten that…” Joyce said.

“Right, got all the wedding outfits?”

“Check”

“Shoes”

“Check”

“All your makeup, jewellery and hair tongs and stuff”

“Check”

“Photos Chuck sent you of the new baby?”

“Oh gods…glad you remembered, they’re behind the clock on the fireplace…” Joyce got them and put them in her purse.

“Ok then, you’ve got the present…just the children to go…William, Buffy” Hank called. They both thundered down the stairs, William had his action man, Buffy her Barbie doll.

They both had jeans and the matching ‘Disneyworld’ tee shirts on. They got in the back of the car and Hank fixed the seatbelts for them.

Hank took it steady driving, and they got to the ranch at 5 ‘o’clock that evening. When Grace met them at the door, she had her hair in rollers. She kissed everyone and told them that the kettle was on for tea.

Tom came out and shook hands with Hank, and with William.

“And how’s my Best Man?”

“Fine thankyou, Tom”

“Have you written your speech?”

“Yes, but you must wait until tomorrow to find out what it says!” William said smiling.

“Ok then!” Tom winked and mussed his hair.

“So, mom…does Susan know, about tomorrow I mean?” Joyce asked. Grace looked tight lipped. Tom said nothing. Just then Joyce looked up, to see Susan coming into the kitchen, carrying an empty mug, and empty wine bottle, a dirty glass and a full ashtray.

“Hello” Susan said, depositing everything she was carrying onto the counter, and walking away, Grace frowned.

“WHAT’S SHE DOING HERE?” Joyce hissed, big eyed at her mother, as Grace had said she didn’t want her at the wedding.

“What could I do? She just turned up on speck last night. I couldn’t pretend to be out, we never go anywhere!” Grace shrugged

“Well, she better not try and spoil tomorrow, that’s all”! Joyce said in her normal voice. Looking at the overflowing ashtray with disgust, Joyce tipped the contents into the bin. Grace took the it off her to wash.

“Mommy! Princess B’s grown ever so much, she’s past my shoulder now!” Buffy said breathlessly. William came in and said,

“Nana, Tom said that the flowers and buttonholes have come, where do you want them putting?”

“Erm…tell him the garage, it’s cool in there, ok?” She smiled. William smiled, and said,

“Ok, nana!” And ran off to deliver the message.

“You make tea Joyce…I’ve done a casserole, and there’s boiled potatoes on the stove, it’s ready when you want to eat it. The children can have sausages if they prefer, they’re in the oven too”

“I think so, William loves sausages…” From the lounge, the loud pop of a cork being pulled out of a bottle could plainly be heard.

“Bit early, isn’t it?” Joyce mouthed, to her mother, frowning. Susan trudged into the kitchen to get a glass.

“Bit early, isn’t it?” Joyce said again, but this time to Susan.

“What’s it to you?”

“Sorry I spoke…what brings you here, anyway?”

“Oh great; don’t YOU start…not even invited to my own mother’s wedding for starters…then there’s Chuck!” Susan grouched. She pulled up a stool, poured a glass of wine. Joyce looked at Grace.

“What about him”

“He’s on um…short time. He says I’ve got to get a job”

“Well, it wouldn’t kill you, would it? I mean, what else do you do all day?” Joyce asked.

“You mean because my time isn’t taken up with the joys of motherhood?” Susan asked sarcastically, drinking half a glassful of wine in one gulp.

“I didn’t say that” Joyce rolled her eyes. Hank diplomatically pointed upstairs, and mouthed ‘call me for supper’. Joyce nodded. The children came running in from outside, Tom behind them.

“Mommy, are you going to show aunty Susan the photograph’s of uncle Chuck’s new baby?” Susan went huge eyed. Grace bit her bottom lip. Joyce stroked Buffy’s head.

“You and William go upstairs and wash your hands ready for supper, go on, there’s a good girl” When they’d disappeared, Susan looked at Joyce.

“Chuck’s new baby?”

“Um…yes, her name is”

“NO! I don’t want to know…I don’t want to know about his little whore!”

“Susan, it’s his wife…they’ve been married for two years now, over two years, in fact” Joyce said.

“Married…oh my gods!” With a very shaky hand she tried to pour herself a drink, spilling a lot, and then light a cigarette, but the tip wouldn’t touch the flame.

“Oh gods, they’ve got married…”

“You never told us he’d left” Grace said.

“And why should I…none of your business…” That had come out far more harsh than it meant to have.

“And you lie to us continually, and then wonder why you’re left out of things…”

“Now hold on!” Susan slammed the glass down hard. The glass toppled from the stem, shearing straight off, spilling the wine. She’d cut herself on the sharp stem, blood poured down to her wrist.

Grace mopped the wine and Tom handed Joyce a box of tissues, she grabbed one and tried to staunch the flow of blood from Susan’s hand.

“Leave me…just………don’t touch me, ok?” Susan wrenched her wrist out of Joyce’s grasp. Joyce held both hands in the air and said,

“Fine…just don’t bleed all over the floor, that’s all” Joyce said, all sympathy instantly evaporating. Grace poured tea, and Joyce took one up to her husband.

“What’s happened?” Hank asked quietly.

“Buffy let the cat out of the bag…she asked if I was going to show Susan the photos of uncle Chuck’s new baby…” Hank smiled.

“Well done Buffy!”

“Mom just asked why she never told us he’d left…she said it was none of our business”

“She’s drinking and smoking far too much” Joyce added.

“Well, as long as she can afford it”

“That’s it though…Chuck must have told her to get a job, he’s got two children and a wife to support”

“Well, that seems fair enough, I mean, what does she do all day?”

“That’s what I said, and she said…”

“Mommy…after supper can we play outside?” Buffy asked wandering into her parent’s room.

“We’ll see…you go down with William and help nana lay the table, I’ll be down in a minute.”

“Ok…come on Will”

“You were saying?” Hank asked.

“Well, I said, what do you do all day, and she said, ‘oh, as my day isn’t taken up with motherhood, you mean.’ Sarcastic bitch!”

“Bitter…oh well…hmm…something smells good, I’m starving” Hank said, standing.

“Mom’s made a casserole”


*************************


10.00 o’clock the following morning.


“Buffy, come on, it’s time for your hair to be done” Joyce called. Buffy bounded onto the kitchen chair. The hairdresser smiled and began to brush Buffy’s hair into a high ponytail, before twisting small sections into loops and pinning them in place.

Buffy helped by holding the grips. Meanwhile upstairs, William was reading his speech out loud while Hank sat on the bed listening.

“…So, thankfully Tom came to my rescue, and said I could be Best Man, and I didn’t have to be a bridesmaid after all! Peach isn’t my colour” William looked up and grinned at his dad.

“Very good! – Go on”
“Tom taught me all I know about riding…me and a few thousand others…and I swear the horses know everything he says to them. So let us all raise our glasses in a toast to the happy couple, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the bride and groom”

“Hold up your glass up towards them when you say that bit, Hank said, because that’s the toast”

“Buffy thought it meant real toast, like what we have for breakfast!”

“Did she? Well, you did very well. Don’t forget, smile and don’t worry, you’re a natural” There was a soft kerfuffle at the door, and Joyce appeared with just her underclothes and slip on, her makeup done, but her hair still in rollers.

“Mom said can you put the boxes of carnations out for the buttonholes, they’re in the garage…people can help themselves, pink for the ladies, white for the men”

“Sure” Hank said, he was dressed, apart from his jacket and shoes.
They could hear cars driving up.

“Guests arriving…just over an hour to go…I must get dressed” Joyce said.

“Love…any sign of…?” He motioned his head towards the wall, meaning Susan who was further down the hall.

“No, no sign…her door’s locked”

“I swear, if she spoils the day, or tries to, I’ll…”

“Form a queue behind me…” Her gaze fell on her son.

“Rehearsed your speech?”

“Yes…mommy…why does auntie Susan hate me?” Joyce frowned, squatted down in front of her son, looking really concerned.

“Why darling, what has she said to you?” Hank looked murderous. Joyce smoothed William’s hair out of his eyes.

“Well…she said a swear word…and fell up the stairs, and I said ‘are you alright’ she… she told me to go away…but nasty” Joyce hugged him to her.

“Listen baby, she was drunk, and I know that’s not an excuse…(Joyce looked him in the eye) you take no notice of anything she says, ok? She’s jealous because we’ve got you and Buffy…and she knows how much we love you, ok?”

“Ok…I do love you mommy…and daddy, and Nana and Tom” Joyce hugged him.

“And Buffy” Hank said smiling.

“Oh yes…Buffy best of all” Hank beamed and cuffed him very gently on the chin.

“That’s my boy…he’s gonna be a knockout reading his speech, aren’t you” William beamed at his dad and nodded.

“Will-yum!”

“And talking of Buffy…” Joyce said smiling and rolling her eyes

“Up here” William called. They heard a steady thump up the stairs.

“Mommy…I can get dressed now…look, I’ve got lip gloss on, and my tee…tee sar…what is it?”

“Tiara”

“Yes, tiara on!” She came into the bedroom dressed in her pyjamas still, but her hair done.

“Hank…” Tom’s voice drifted up the stairs.

“Coming Tom” Hank finished tying up his shoelaces, then left the bedroom.

“Come on, come with me” Joyce ushered the two children into the spare bedroom. William sat quietly playing with his Pokémon cards while Buffy and his mother got on their wedding outfits. A knock on the door and it opened slowly.

It was Susan. She looked dreadful, tousled hair and unwashed aside, and she had the shakes, and huge dark circles under her eyes.

“Have you got something I could wear…only got jeans.” Susan said, in a cracked voice, thick with sleep.

“Um…(Joyce’s mind raced) actually…no, sorry, no I haven’t, I only came in jeans myself” Susan shut the door without saying anything else.
Ten minutes later, Hank came upstairs.

“Ok then, you ready kids?” They both went downstairs with him. Joyce knocked on her mother’s room door.

“Yes?”

“It’s me”

“Come in love” Joyce went in.

“Oh mom…you look SO beautiful!” Joyce smiled.

“Can you help me with my hat…the elastic…”

“There…that ok? Oh, hold on…there, that’s it, just pulled that curl down a little…to hid the elastic by your ear. Comfy?”

“Yes. Is everything ready?”

“I think so, the children are all ready, and Hank went to sort the flowers”

“Good. Have you seen Tom?”

“At breakfast…he has a twinkle in his eye, and is on fine form”
Grace smiled. She was holding a photo of herself and her first husband, Joyce’s father Dan, just before he retired.

She touched his face on the photo.

“Well then, I’m as ready as I’ll ever be” She replaced the photo on the dressing table.

“Ok then, I’ll go get Hank…he’s so proud that you asked him to give you away”

“Well…he’s a wonderful son-in-law”

“Have you seen…?”

“Yes…she wanted to borrow some clothes” Joyce said, then asked,

“Have you – seen her that is?”

“No…but I heard her crying in the night”

“Did you…she was evil to William…”

“Why, what did she say?” Grace looked up sharply. There was a soft knock.

“Are you ready?” Hank called.

“Don’t worry about her, not today, not now, so, ready?” Joyce asked. Grace nodded.

“Right, I’ll carry on down”

“Now, don’t loose it, will you?” Tom said, giving William the wedding ring.

“I won’t, promise”

Tom rode to the chapel on his horse, and William, Buffy and Joyce went in a flower decked pony and trap, as did Grace and Hank. It was a simple ceremony where their vows were exchanged, William handed Tom the ring, and everything went perfect.

They rode back to the ranch, where the wedding breakfast had been arranged in the large extension room that was used when the ranch had extra hands and guests stay. They dined on smoked salmon, cold chicken and champagne. William read his speech perfectly and got a standing ovation! Buffy looked like a dream, and there were many photos and videos taken of them, probably even more than the bride and groom!

“Just look at them…little angels” William and Buffy were slowly swaying to the music; William was holding both of Buffy’s hands.

“You look very pretty in that dress…you always look pretty…I like the sparkly bits on the front” William said. Buffy beamed and thought she loved William even more, if that was possible.

Their attention to each other never wavered as flashes went off around them, people taking their photos.

“Give him a kiss, love!” Somebody shouted. Buffy and William both leaned forward and gave each other a kiss on the lips. The whole room said,
“Awwwwwwwwwwww!” And Joyce and Hank beamed at their beautiful children.

Susan had stood at the back of the chapel in her jeans, and then went back to the ranch. Later on that evening, Hank came over to Joyce and the children. They were sitting on some chairs put outside the very warm room. Music played and people danced.

“Susan’s at the bar…drunk”

“Huh, well she’s been surprisingly good…I thought she’d cause a scene”

“Don’t speak too soon, it’s only just gone nine o’clock – and I haven’t forgotten that she was evil to my child…”

“Oh…I think they’re off” Joyce stood, and ushered the children into the room. Tom and Grace had entered the room in smart ‘normal’ clothes, and began to shake hands and thank people. They finally got to Joyce, Hank and the children.

“You off then?” Hank asked, smiling.

“Yes…only three days, but it’ll be a nice break…it’ll be lovely to be by the ocean for a while” Grace said. A friend had leant them a beach house at Long Beach.

“You going home tomorrow?” Tom asked Hank.

“Yes, we will probably leave after breakfast”

“Well, we know Gabe and Austin can cope, and Mary-Jane will feed them all, but we don’t want to take advantage” Grace explained.

“Anyway…we’ve come to give the best, Best Man and the best bridesmaid we’ve ever seen their presents” Tom said, bending and producing two boxes wrapped in blue striped paper for William, and pink for Buffy. The children’s little face’s lit up, and immediately William took his present and put it on the table carefully.

“Thankyou Tom…thankyou nana!” He hugged and kissed them both, and then Buffy did the same.

“Have a nice holiday!”

“We will”

“Can I open it mommy, please?” William asked.

“Sure baby…” Joyce stroked his soft hair. He carefully opened it.

“Oh look mommy, daddy…it’s a watch!” Hank squatted down on his haunches and looked.

“And a very posh one too! It’s better than mine!” Hank said, grinning.

“What have you got Buffy?” She too had a watch, it had a pink face, with little sparkly stones by the numbers, and a strap made of gold chain with pink leather woven through it. Hank helped William with the strap, and Joyce helped Buffy. They both felt very grown up, especially when they were allowed to have a sip of Champagne! At nine thirty, both children began to yawn.

“I’m shattered myself…shall we go up?”

“Would you mind if I stayed down for a while, I want to talk to that investment chap…where is he…oh there, I want to ask him something” Hank said.

“Ok love, but don’t leave it too late”

“I won’t” Hank kissed the children and the three of them went through to the main house, Joyce stopping briefly to say goodnight and goodbye to various people.

Buffy and William had money given to them from practically everyone, and everyone was saying how delightful and beautiful and well behaved the children were.

Upstairs they got undressed and got into bed. Joyce did too, and began to read. Less than an hour later, Hank came up. There was a bit of a kerfuffle on the stairs and Joyce frowned when he came into the bedroom.

“What’s going on…I thought the children would wake”

“Gabe and I had to carry Susan up, she got so drunk…” Joyce got up out of bed, left the room. Hank got undressed. He was sitting on the bed in his underwear and socks when Joyce came back in the room.

“Thanks…”

“We put her on her side, packed pillows behind her so she can’t roll over on her back and choke.”

“I’ve put a bowl on the floor, just in case”

“What’s all that money?” Hank nodded to well over a hundred dollars on the dresser.

“The children’s! …As I was saying goodnight and goodbye, all these people came up and was pressing money on them, saying how delightful they are!”
Hank smiled.

“Hmm, got that right!”

**********

The following morning...


“How much have we got, mommy?” Buffy asked, she was gazing at her new watch.

“Um…well, I put it all together, and there’s $130, so, $65 each”

“Will you put it in my savings for me please mommy” William asked, finishing his juice.

“I will my love…”

“And me mommy”

“Of course baby”

“Now…didn’t you two promise to feed nana’s chicken’s?”

“Yes!” They both chorused

“Well, go on then, you’ve finished your breakfast, now go give the chicken’s theirs” Joyce said, and the two children got down from the table. As if by magic, Gabe came to the back door.

“Ready then?”

“We’re coming!” William grabbed the feedbag in one hand, and Buffy’s in the other. They followed Gabe outside.

“Have you heard her ladyship this morning?” Hank asked Joyce.

“Not yet…mind you, it’s still early…did she play up last night down there…I mean, I know you and Gabe carried her to bed, but…?”

“Oh, she had a rant, but somebody sat and talked to her. I was talking to Simon Mason, got some good info,” Hank said, pouring himself more coffee.

“Oh, listen…she’s alive anyway” Joyce said, as they heard the toilet flush upstairs, and could hear coughing.

“Morning!” A very friendly young girl came into the kitchen, carrying foil and cling wrapped trays of food.

“Morning Mary-Jane…what’s all this?”

“Leftover cold chicken, sliced cooked meats and a little salad, it’s all fresh still, I’ll use it for the ranch hands lunches, I’m going to make a chicken and ham pie, will you be staying?” Joyce looked at Hank.

“Um…actually, no, if you don’t mind, I’ve got some information that I’m just itching to act upon, and I’m missing my computer!”

“Well…I’ve just gone and thrown things into our case, and we can go, if you like, Joyce said, but I must just tidy up here first.

“Don’t worry…I’ll sort it”

“You sure?” Joyce asked.

“Sure” The children came into the kitchen, William carefully carrying the eggs.

“Here are the eggs”

“Thankyou, young William…my, they’re mighty big, aren’t they?” Mary-Jane smiled and took the basket.

“Hasn’t your son got the most amazing blue eyes…and the two of them last night, it was the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen” Joyce smiled.

“We are so lucky…they’re inseparable, like it all the time…oh well, I must be off. Um…don’t let Susan put on you, will you?” Joyce said conspiratorially.

“Don’t worry, I won’t, I’m not here for her benefit!” They smiled and Joyce went upstairs.



*****************


Back home, a few days later

“Oh, Hi mom…you and Tom just got back then?”

“Yes, it was a lovely rest, the fresh air’s done me the power of good”

“Well, it’s good to know you had a good time. Hank and Gabe had to carry Susan to bed, but she didn’t play up too much”

“Good, I’m glad”

“When did she leave, did Gabe say?”

“Leave, she hasn’t gone yet”

“What?”

“She said she’s nothing to go home to”

“Don’t fall for that, mom…she’s been on her own for three years now. You know what she likes, the free food and booze”

“That’s what Tom said…”

“Put your foot down, tell her”

“ I’ve told her, she’s got to the end of the week”

“Good, don’t let her blackmail you”

Oh gods, I won’t…”

“Still there, how come…bloody cheek!” Hank said over dinner that evening. The children were in bed.

“I know…anyway, mom’s given her to the end of the week. She saying she’s got nothing to go home for…”

“But Chuck left her, how long ago?”

“I know, I know, she just likes the free food and booze”

“Well, she needn’t think she can come here”

“Tell me about it!” Joyce said.

“Good for him…what was her reaction?”

“Well, she looked at the grooming brushes, the currycombs and broom, and said, ‘oh but, I’m leaving in about an hour or so’ Grace said to Joyce.

“Don’t feel guilty mom, you gave her a couple of extra days grace”

“Are my wonderful grandchildren there?”

“No, mom, they’re out seeing their other granny while I make lunch, but I’ll let them phone you tonight, around seven-ish, is that ok?”

“That’s fine love. Did they like their presents?”

“Love them…I practically had to prise it from off Buffy’s wrist before she went to bed!” Grace chuckled.

“Well, I’ll let you get on with the lunch.”

“Ok mom…by the way, how’s married life suiting you, you’ve been married a whole eight days now”

“Wonderful…he brings me cuppa in bed every morning…and he lets me warm my cold feet on him!”

“See, the wonders of married life!” Joyce said, laughing, she said bye to her mother, and went on with the lunch.

********************



“So, mom told me that Tom did no more, than go out and fetch the grooming brushes and currycombs, and a broom and said, Well, I’LL give you a job! You know how she is around horses…anyway, she looks at Tom, realises that she can’t eek it out anymore, so she says, ‘Oh, but I’m leaving in less than an hour!”

“Good for him!” Hank said.

“That’s what I said…oh, yes, Buffy, William, I told nana you would ring her about seven o’clock tonight, ok?”

“Ok mom” William said.

“Buffy, eat your carrots, there’s a good girl”

“But….”

“They help you see in the dark…look, William’s eaten all his” Buffy began to eat her carrots, leaving just a few; Joyce knew she’d tried hard.

“Good girl…now, who’s for ice cream?”

“Please!”
Chapter 10 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
From here the story continues as they grow up – This part I call Growing Pains, although it will still be found under the main title of Nursery Blues
Chapter 10


Growing Pains


Four years later – Buffy and William are now 11

“But…well, all I’m saying is, is what with William being so clever with computers and that, rather than him just going to Sunnydale High, we should look into a technical college or something” Hank reasoned. Joyce sighed.

“Ok, ask him, but not in front of Buffy, she’ll flip” Hank nodded. Later on that evening, when they’d done their homework, Hank went into William’s room when Buffy was in the bath, sat on his bed.

“Listen son…you know it’s time for you to go to big school…well, how would you like to go to a technical college, one where you could study with computers a lot more than usual” William looked at his dad.

“Um…would Buffy be able to go?”

“No…but you’d see each other before and after school” William looked down at the carpet.

“Do I have to?”

“No, not if you don’t want to…I just thought you might like it better, that’s all. If you don’t want to, then you don’t have to. Do you want to think about it?” William looked up at his dad, and shook his head.

“No…I don’t want to go. I promised to stay and look after Buffy”

“But…ok then, son, you don’t have to, I know you love her but you mustn’t think that you have to look after her all the time…I’ll come up and say goodnight later, ok?”

“Ok dad” The bathroom door opened, and a pink scrubbed Buffy came running into William’s room. She was in her pyjamas, and had her dressing gown on.

“Buffy…you know big school…you DO want me to go with you, don’t you?” William asked, casually, not looking at her.

“What? Yes, you must, you promised!”

“I know…it’s ok, Im going with you…I told dad I promised.”

“Why…they can’t send you back to London!”

“No! Dad just wanted to know if I wanted to go to a computer school”

“But there are computers at Sunnydale High”

“I know”

“Promise you won’t go”

“I promise, I already said” he held her hand and she leant her head on his shoulder. Joyce smiled at them as she came into the room.

“You two ok?”

“Mom…daddy’s not making William go away, is he?”

“No darling. As William doesn’t want to go, he wants to stay and look after and be with you, so that’s that. End of story”

“Promise?”

“Promise” Joyce said.

“Ok, half an hour, and then bedtime, ok?” Joyce said, and went down.

“Way to go on making our daughter more clingy than normal!”

“Why?”

“Oh…she’s all angsty about William leaving now, despite all the promises” Hank rolled his eyes and
smiled.

“You know, the kid wouldn’t even think about it, he’s made a promise, and that’s it…that’s loyalty for you”

“That’s love and devotion too”

“Yes!” When Joyce went up forty minutes later, they were both in the same bed, fast asleep.


********************************






Two Years Later

“Oh Hank, I’m so proud of you!” Joyce hugged her husband and kissed him.

“It was me finally clinching the Sheraton deal that did it, although Chuck said he was going to bring me onto the board and make me number two…”

“So darling, come through to the kitchen, I’ll make coffee, tell me, what does it involve exactly, this promotion?”

“Well…nearly double in salary for a start!”

“Wow!”

“And a company car…decent too, I was thinking of something foreign…a Mercedes or something like that. Use of the company holiday homes in Hawaii and Toronto, and Chuck says that I can use his private beachfront home in Florida whenever I like, as long as he’s not there of course…and I also get to become a member of the Lakeside Golf and Country Club”

“What, you’ll learn to play golf?” Joyce smiled, knowing her husbands dislike of the game

“Not if I can help it…oh yes, and a really good health plan for you, me and the kids”

“Darling, this is incredible…look, as it’s our 16th wedding anniversary in two weeks, and William has done so well in his exams…lets push the boat out, have a really nice family party, what do you say?”

“I think that’s an excellent idea…we’ll have it at the Country Club!”
They invited friends and colleagues, and Hank’s brother came from Denver, with his family and his sister came from Georgia with her hers, Joyce’s mother Grace and her husband Tom was coming, and so was Hank’s mother Cynthia.

“Are we going to invite Susan?” Hank asked.

“No we’re not! I want to have a good time, and whenever we see Susan…I wouldn’t mind inviting Chuck though”

“He’s already coming, got to have the boss there” Hank said.

“No…Chuck, Susan’s ex”

“Will he come, all the way from Mexico, do you think?”

“Doubt it…but I’ll ring him, you never know!”


****

“He said he’d have loved to, but Conchita’s due to have the twins in about three weeks, and he’s got to look after Sanchez, Consuela and Rodrigo”

“Golly…he’s not giving up now he knows how to make kids, is he?!”

“He said these two were going to be the last…but, well, Conchita’s a Catholic, and she won’t let him, you know…use anything, and she won’t so…”

“Well, as long as he’s happy”

“So, got your outfit for the party?”

“Yes, treated myself, Vera Wang, no less!”

“Good, you deserve it…and Will and Buffy?”

“Don’t worry, they’ll look delightful…Buffy wants this sparkly blue dress she’s seen in town, she’s been banging on about it for weeks, she’ll have an excuse now for me to buy it, and I was going to get William a suit”

“Did I tell you, Chuck said that he’d take William on like a shot when he’s older”

“Did he? He’s such a clever kid, and the best part is, he doesn’t struggle, it all just seems to come naturally…I told him, never think that he’d let us down if he got a bad result, as long as he tried, well, that was good enough for us, he knows we’re immensely proud of him”

“That’s true…they’ll be in soon, shall we tell them?”

“I think so”


*****


“WOW – Well done dad!” William said. Hank beamed at his son. Buffy looked thoughtful, and said,

“Um…I’ll need a new dress”

“Yes, your mom said something about a sparkly blue one in town, that right?”

“Oh yes, you mean I could have it?” Buffy grinned, brows raised.

“Just this once, and William, you shall have a new suit, or trousers and jacket, whatever you want”

“Great, thanks, dad!”

The following Saturday, after a trip into town.

“What do you think, dad?” Buffy had on her new dress and heeled shoes, she was grinning.

“Wow…is that my thirteen year old daughter? – You look 16 at least!”

“And here’s William…I thought he looked so good in that leather jacket and the trousers can be lengthened, he’s growing so quickly, look Hank, he’s almost as tall as you!”

“You look great, son” Hank patted William on his shoulder, at thirteen, William must have been around 5’ 8” tall, and filling out nicely.

“Thanks dad” Buffy thought he looked really cool and couldn’t wait for the party.

With everybody enjoying themselves enormously, the lights were put up, and the buffet was offered.
The food looked beautiful, like something they’d do on a cruise ship. There was lobster and chicken, salmon and shrimp, giant crab claws and every type of salad that you could think of, fancy bread and cheeses.

“Think it’s going well” Hank asked Joyce.

“Marvellous my darling…this food is out of this world!”

After everyone had finished eating, Hank stood to say a few words, and thank everyone for coming. He concluded by calling upon his family, and called Buffy up first.

“This is my daughter, my beautiful princess…”

“Dad!” Buffy blushed, but smiled.

“This is my son…William, whom I am immensely proud of, come here son” William went up and hugged him, everybody said, ‘aww’ as after he hugged his dad, he went and stood next to Buffy, holding her hand.

“And last, but not least, my beautiful, beautiful wife, Joyce…can I have the…” One of the waitresses brought in a huge bouquet of exotic orchids.

“This beautiful woman has been married to me for sixteen years on Tuesday, I’d just like to thank her for making me the happiest man in the world…love you babe!” Joyce was nearly crying, and when she got to him and hugged him, he whispered,

“I love you…this is for you” he handed her a small box. She opened it, and took out the most gorgeous necklace a fixed shape Serpentine chain in white gold, with a heart studded in diamonds.

“Do you like it?” Hank asked
Joyce gasped and put her hand to her mouth, but she nodded rapidly.

“Good, happy anniversary, darling” Somebody called for three cheers, which were given.

“Can I see mom? – Wow…that’s beautiful” William said.

“Wow, like, way cool dad!” Buffy said. Hank had his arm around Joyce, and he said to her,

“Next dance is mine”

“Hold on, you don’t get away that easily…would you…” Joyce nodded to a waiter, and a huge cake with sparklers sticking in it was wheeled in, and Joyce said,

“This is for you, as I know you coveted your sons!” Joyce handed him a box, and when Hank opened it, it was a watch, a very good one too, the same make that Grace and Tom had bought for William as a gift for being best man at their wedding.

Hank grinned and kissed Joyce. He went to turn to show off to William, but he and Buffy were walking off.

“Hey, Will”

“Leave them” Joyce said.

“I was just going to brag, that’s all!” Hank said, taking his old watch off and putting on his new one.

“Um, mom, dad…this is for you, for your anniversary, from us” William gave his dad a card.

“What’s this…oh my goodness Joyce, look!”

“We remembered when we went to Disney world, how you said you’d always wanted to go in a hot air balloon” Buffy said. In the envelope was a ticket for a trip over the city and parks, a Champagne lunch and then in the evening a slap up dinner at a swanky hotel.

“Haven’t we got the best kids in the world!” Buffy and William were kissed and hugged.

“But how did you…this is amazing!”

“Don’t worry, grandma will look after us” William said, and as if on cue, Hanks mother came up and put her hand into her son’s.

“Don’t worry about Will and Buffy, I’ll come over the night before and stay over to look after them”

“Great mom…”

“I’m itching to get into your borders in the garden…and I can do some planting!” She was a great gardener, something that had totally passed Hank by…

“When is it?”

“Tomorrow week, we made sure it was ok for the Monday for you, that you’d got nothing important on as you’ll be late home” the music started up and people started to dance.

“How did the kids afford this?” Hank asked Joyce.

“I’ve no idea, this is as much of a surprise to me as it is to you!”

“You have smashing kids, Hank, Joyce”

“Thanks Chuck…we don’t now how they afforded this!” Joyce waved the envelope.

“I do…Saturday mornings, William and Buffy have come to the office, and Buffy has carefully cleaned all the computer monitors and key boards, something too specialised and fiddly for the regular cleaners, and William has written me a programme and sorted out my spreadsheet data bases…that kid’s a genius!”

“I wondered why you said you’d take him on…I’m amazed!” They looked up and saw Buffy and Will dancing in a circle with their two grandmothers, Tom and a few cousins.

“They told me what they wanted to do for you, what they wanted to buy you, and I said had they been saving their pocket money, and Will said that they’d just about got enough, and I thought I’d help by offering them a little job, well, William comes into the office, saw me struggling with the spreadsheets and he told me that there was a much simpler way to do things.

I said I’d pay whoever showed me $100 an hour, rash statement, and when he just taps a few things in, and…well, it was magic. He told me he’d do the lot, and I said I’d pay him. I asked Buffy if she’d like to earn too, and she said she was hopeless with computers, but I gave her this little vacuum suction brush, which she loved using, and she went around all the computers and did it.

William and Buffy came over.

“So Saturdays, you haven’t just been going into town then!” Joyce hugged William, and Hank held Buffy’s hand.

“Ah…he told you, well, it was in a good cause!”

“But well, you earned that money son, and you Buf” Hank said

“Don’t worry, there’s some left…I’m saving up for a 28 megabyte keyring so I can store extra files without having to carry discs around all the time”

“And there’s a Donna Karan handbag I want!” Buffy said.

“Oh…that cream one with the gold clasp?” Joyce asked

“That’s the one!” Buffy grinned at her mother.

They joined in the dancing, and everybody had a great time. The following week, Hank and Joyce went off on their ballooning day, and had a fantastic time! They phoned the children from the balloon.

“Gods…it’s so beautiful up here…so serene…oh my gods, there’s a bird… I could almost touch it it’s flying so close! – here’s dad”

“Hi…you should see the view…it’s incredible…and apart from the gas in the balloon, it’s so quiet…no traffic noise…oh, Joyce, look…look at the boating lake!” They said goodbye.

“Are they having a good time?” Cynthia asked.

“Yes gran…mom just said there was a bird flying right next to them so close she could almost touch it!” Buffy said.

“Right then, now, if you want me, I’ll be in the garden…I’ve made sandwiches for lunch, they’re covered in the kitchen, I’ve made a cheesecake, so help yourself when you’re hungry…are we ordering take out tonight?” Buffy nodded.

“Ok then, that gives me a good long run at these borders…I’ve got Hostas and some clematis I want to plant, and the pansies and crocuses will be moved…I’ll get on” Taking her kneeler, and her trowel and secateurs she went out into the garden.

Buffy went to the phone, and William went on his computer.

On their way back home, Hank said to Joyce,

“Let’s get the kids those things they want”

“That gizmo William wants you mean – do you know what it is exactly?”

“I can ask in the computer shop. I know he said a key ring that would allow him to carry around information so he didn’t have to carry discs all time, I’m sure they’ll put me right. Buffy wants a handbag, is that right?”

“It’s $150”

“HOW MUCH? Oh, go on then, they are good kids!”

“Well, there’s this one, which stores 28 MGB of information”

“How much is that one?” Hank asked the assistant”

“Um…let me see…(he tapped away at his computer) this one is $49.99”

“And there’s a bigger one?”

“Oh yes, sir. There’s a 56 Megabyte one, that’s um…$89, or then there’s 128 megabyte one, that will hold up to 500 files and –“

“How much?”

“$179.95”

“I’ll take it.”

“The biggest one?”

“Please…do you take American Express?”

“Certainly, sir…”

Hank sat in the coffee bar at the food court waiting for Joyce.

“Did you get it?” Joyce grinned.

“I did, and guess what? – It was in the sale! 1 got it for $75”

“Well, I’ve just spent $180 on William, so if we put $100 inside Buffy’s bag… what do you think?”

“I think she’ll be over the moon!”

**************

“Did you have a good time dad?” William asked after hugging his father.

“The best! – It was just…surreal. So quiet…I mean you can hear the gas and the flame burner and that, but no traffic, and the view…totally amazing!”

“Hi mom, have they been good?” Joyce asked her mother-in-law.

“Very. Not a bother on them”

“Good. Right, are you staying to eat with us?”

“Sure, I’ll stay tonight, go after lunch, if that’s ok with you, I just want to finish off the last border, by the fence”

“Here mom, I know these are your favourites!” Hank handed his mother a huge box of chocolates.

“And this is for you…and that ones for you” Hank handed his children their presents.

“OOH! Prezzies…me likey!” Buffy carefully opened the Bloomingdale’s carrier bag to reveal a smart designer bag with DKNY on the front. She went huge eyed and quickly opened it and saw the bag she was after

“WOW! Oh brilliant!”

“It is the right one, isn’t it?”

“What’s this…$100 too?” Buffy grinned.

“Will, look!” Buffy showed him the bag, and he smiled.

“What have you got?”

“A special keyring that’ll hold files…hold on – DAD!”

“What, is it ok?”

“I’ve only just realised it’s a 128 megabyte! This is brilliant, it’s practically five times as big as I wanted originally!” Hank grinned.

“Well, we figured that you were worth it!” William hugged his dad, and his mum.
Chapter 11 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 11


Buffy and William aged 15

“Go on……” Angel urged her

“NO WAY…it’s bad for your health!”

Angel rolled his eyes and stopped offering the lit cigarette to her, taking a deep drag before allowing the smoke to come down his nose.

“You’re SUCH a kid!”

“What’s THAT supposed to mean?” Buffy rounded on Angel, folding her arms across her chest.

Smiling, he took another deep drag, and turned away from her, grinning.

“Come to the movies with me Saturday”

“Day or night?”

“Night”

“Can’t………we’ve got guests coming”

“Day then!”

“Well…I’ve got chores to do”

“Sunday then – oh hold on, don’t tell me, you’re ‘Little-Miss-Goodie-Two-Shoes’, and have to go to church!”

“I DO not!” Buffy snorted with derision, her cheeks going red and hot

“Well?”

“WE, well we usually go visiting on Sundays…it’s not my fault!”

“No…just have to do what you’re told, I understand – you’re scared”

All the time they had been talking, Buffy had been keeping an eye on the double doors that led from the main school building. They eventually opened, and a whole bunch of students came out, Buffy didn’t know any of them – but as soon as they opened, she’d instantly turned away from talking to Angel, just in case – she knew how much William disliked him, but not the reason why………

“See – scared in case that brother of yours sees us talking!”

“Shut up, cretin! – You don’t know anything about me!” Buffy said hotly

“I know you’re a chicken in case that brother of yours sees me talking to you………fuckin’ geek”

“Don’t you talk about him like that, he’s NOT a geek – he’s just really clever that’s all!” Buffy said angrily. One of Angel’s mates walked over

“Give that here………aaaaahhhhhhhhh!” Ged took the cigarette off Angel and took a deep drag

“Hello Buffy…does your brother know you’re here?” Ged teased grinning, taking another drag from the cig before passing it back to Angel

Buffy gave him a filthy look and turned her head away, to see the doors opening again, and Willow and Xander come out. She knew that William wouldn’t be far behind

She picked up her bag

The wind blew and she shivered, slinging her bag over her shoulder

“Hey Summers, your nipples have gone hard!” Ged said with a grin, leering at her chest. Both snorted a laugh and Angel and gave Ged a shove, ‘let’s split’ and they both went to find the rest of their ‘gang’. Buffy swiftly turned away big eyed and hot with embarrassment.

She waited for her friends at the top of the steps.

“Will said he won’t be long, he’s talking to Miss Callender, she’s giving him some new assignments”

“So Bufster, wanna come to the movies on Saturday, they’re showing a night of horror classics, Night of the Living Dead, Zombies from Hell, It walks – it’ll be fun!” Xander asked grinning

“What – oh, I don’t know, maybe...did you ask Will?”

“He said to ask you”

“We’ll see…maybe………haven’t you got to be like, sixteen to see them, I know they’ve been re-classified as not so horrific these days?”

“We can pass for sixteen easily”

“Except it’s James’ mom working in the pay-in booth, she knows how old we are”

“Would she care though? – I mean James is a bit wild, besides, what difference does a few months make?”

“James only got into trouble because of Angel Stebson – she stopped them seeing each other, that’s what she told my mom anyway” Willow said

“Well, I don’t want to risk getting turned away, I’d die of embarrassment” Buffy said

“So what shall we do then?”

“Hey!”

Riley came bouncing over to them, full of enthusiasm, grinning from ear to ear

“So, what gives Ri – why the happy?”

“Going on a 10 mile route march with the Army Cadet Corp tonight – we’ll be carrying full packs and everything!”

“Full packs – of what? – Cards, cookies?” Xander asked and immediately regretted it, coz he knew Riley would tell him…in great detail…leaving nothing out…from the teaspoon to the size and shape of the tent…

Both Willow and Buffy rolled their eyes at Xander – they were going to be bored stupid for the next ten minutes at least

“………And the design is SO clever, being round the tent can’t be lifted by a corner, as there IS no corner! Then we pitch them in a circle, so that the aerodynamics are even better -“

“Hi, waiting for me?”

Will stood over the two prostrate girls, shielding them from the sun

They both sat up

“Thank god, let’s go!”

William pulled both girls up off the grass

Buffy immediately started walking

“Hold on a minute………did Xander ask you about the movies?” William trotted after Buffy and caught her up

“God that kid could bore for the USA – I’ve just lost ten minutes of my life back there!”

“Buffy, movies?”

“What – oh no…James’ mom’ll be in the pay-booth, she’ll know we’re not 16”

“So no movies then…” William fell into step

“Bye Buffy, call me!” Buffy turned and waved to Willow who was standing at the base of the steps waiting for Xander.

***************************


Few months later………

“Who in their right mind would let two sixteen year olds drive such a powerful car?”

Joyce asked incredulously looking up from the local newspaper report

“I don’t think it was a case of letting them honey…I think they stole it” Hank said

“Well I wouldn’t put anything past that Stebson kid – but James?” Joyce sighed

“Always been a bit of a handful wasn’t he, Angel?”

“Handful? – That kid’s been a wrong one since I taught him in nursery class. Okay, James did have his moments, but he wasn’t really a naughty child, he was just always easily led…and now he’s on a life-support machine. I feel SO sorry for Mrs Wesley, she tried desperately to keep James away from Angel Stebson”

“What does the police report say?”

“Here read it for yourself, they were racing some older boys apparently – the car swerved to avoid something, lost control and slammed into a tree and flipped over several times” Joyce handed her husband the paper

The front door opened and William led in a sobbing Buffy, it was 9.20pm, and they had been at the Bronze

“Buffy – William, what’s the matter?” Joyce stood, exchanging a worried glance with her husband

“There was a message sent to the Bronze, it was announced that James’ died an hour ago, he never regained consciousness” William said, he too looked white with shock. Joyce’s hands flew to her mouth as she sat down heavily

“Oh god, oh no – oh that poor boy…it was her only son Hank. Do you think I ought to ring her?”

“I doubt if there would be anyone home honey…she’s probably still at the hospital, and she’s bound to have family with her – you sit I’ll get you a drink. Are you all right son - Buffy?” Buffy nodded her head, but she was still crying.

“Yeah dad, I’m okay………I’ll take Buffy up, come on Muppet” William let her go upstairs first

******************************

Ten Weeks Later………


Joyce switched on the local news on TV


“………I’m standing outside the Court of Inquiry Sunnydale, to give you the verdict on the accident that killed James Wesley, and injured his passenger, Angel Stebson. The court found that going only on the evidence given by 16 year old Angel Stebson, that James Wesley stole the car, and saw Stebson walking along the road going to a friends house.

It was then said by Mr Stebson that Wesley threatened and intimidated him to get into the car. Mr Stebson said he thought it was a bad idea as he knew the car must have been stolen, but he felt more threatened by what Mr Wesley would do to him if he didn’t.

Mr Stebson said they were caught up by some older guys at a stop sign, and with looks and nods, they decided to race away from the lights – Mr Stebson said he tried to reason with Mr Wesley, but he was laughing and telling him not to be a ‘chicken’, at the same time drinking out of a can of beer. Wesley then swerved the car, lost control and slammed into a tree, sending the car into a spin where it flipped over………”

“I don’t believe a word of it!” Joyce said, flipping off the TV and folding her arms across her chest in disgust

“You’re not the only one mom…but as Angel was the only witness…” William said sadly

“And I don’t believe that either – if anybody did any intimidating, it would have been Angel to any potential witnesses…intimidated by James, my foot – Angel’s a big hulking lump – James was smaller for a start, ooh there’s no justice – I just feel so sorry for Pamela Wesley – hearing her son trashed by that, that no good, lying little…well one day, I just hope that one day the truth will out, that’s all”

Buffy came in through the front door, and over to William

“Where did you get to, one minute you were talking to Xander, next I couldn’t find you”

“Sorry, I wanted to get home to see the verdict”

“Verdict, what verdict?”

“About the accident where James got killed”

“And?”

“Um…well I don’t know, mom switched it off in disgust”

Joyce looked sternly at her daughter

“Just you keep AWAY from Angel Stebson young lady, do you hear me?”

Buffy just rolled her eyes at her mother and said nothing


*******************


Christmas and New Year came and went, and it was coming up to Valentine’s Day



William had let himself into the kitchen, and quietly closed the door. He put his book bag down, and went straight to the fridge.

He took out juice and poured himself a glass. He and Buffy usually walked home together, but he’d stayed behind to talk to one of the teachers, and Buffy seemed excited about something, saying she wanted to phone Willow, so she’d gone on ahead without him.

He went to go through to the lounge before going upstairs, when he heard Buffy say,

“So, I said ‘yes, I’d love to go to the dance with you!” Buffy said excitedly to Willow.

“Go on, what did he say then?”

“Well, I knew he was trying to sound casual, but secretly, I know he was really pleased” Buffy said to her friend.

William frowned. He finished his juice, washed the glass and put it on the drainer.

He came into the hall, where he saw Buffy sitting on the stairs.

“Um…hold on Willow…want to come past?” she stood up, and walked down the steps so William could go up.

“Ta”

“Carry on” Buffy said to Willow.

“Wear? I haven’t a clue…”

William lay across his bed, flicking through one of his homework books. He hadn’t checked his marks…he read,

‘Excellent work William, A’ on his English essay, and ‘As always, Excellent, A on his maths. Buffy came into his room without knocking.

“Um, William…could you lend me some money?”

“How much?”

“Erm…what have you got?”

“Hold on…” he took out his wallet, and checked how much he’d got. He had $50.

“I need…$6 for bus fares…and $10 for lunches…oh yeah, and $23 for this book I want…um, will $10 do?”

“Great, thanks, I’ll give it you back next week” he peeled off one of the notes and gave it to her, not asking what she wanted it for.

“In case I’m still in the shower, will you let Willow in for me, she can sit in my room if you’re too busy to talk, she should be here in about twenty minutes or so”

“Ok” William said, he was lying on his stomach, reading. About fifteen minutes later, the doorbell rang, and William went down to open it.

“Hi William”

“Hi…Buffy’s still in the shower, she said to sit in her room, I must study if you don’t mind, I’ve got some special tests coming up”

“Fine. Although why she needs to start getting ready this early, I do not know, it’s not like he doesn’t see her every day at school!” Willow said, smiling.

William led the way up the stairs.

“Who’s this, Parker?”

“No, Angel, silly…I mean, she’s got what, over three hours before he picks her up!” Willow grinned. William WASN’T smiling.

“Angel?”

“Um…yeah…that’s right?”

“Angel Stebson?” William asked, his face serious. Willow’s smile rapidly disappeared.

“Um…uh huh…she didn’t tell you?” Willow looked pained.

“No. No she didn’t. And we all know why, don’t we? S’cuse me” William went into his room, and slammed the door. Willow flinched at the banging door; she stood in the hall, thinking how she’d probably just dropped Buffy in it.

She could hear the shower running, and resignedly pushed open Buffy’s bedroom door, went in and sat on the bed.

She was flicking through a teen magazine when Buffy came in, dressed in a towelling robe, her hair in a turban. She un-furled it, and rubbed her hair.

“There, what do you think, does it look lighter, more blonde?”

“Um…I suppose, I’ll see when it’s dry. Buffy.”

“Hmm?” Buffy sat at her dressing table and plugged in her hairdryer.

“I think…um…why hadn’t you told William that it was Angel you’re going out with?”

“Why do you think, he’ll have a fit!” She had just combed through her damp hair, and was just about to switch on the dryer, when she looked through the mirror at her friend.

“Oh shit…hold on, have you said something?” Buffy turned to look at her friend. Willow was looking very pained, and was biting her bottom lip.

“Sorry…but well you didn’t say you hadn’t told him, and you didn’t say not to say anything!”

Buffy rolled her eyes and sighed. She knew how William and Angel severely disliked each other… she was only really going out with him to piss her mom and dad off...but it also meant that meant that William wouldn’t be speaking to her now either.

“Willow!”

“Sorry, but, well, we ALL go to the same school, how did you hope to keep it quiet? And you know what Angel’s like when he’s got a girlfriend, he’ll expect you to stand with him, necking during break times…” Willow said.

“I wouldn’t!” Buffy had blushed scarlet.

“Then you won’t keep him,” Willow said, going back to the magazine. Buffy turned back towards the mirror and began to dry her hair.

When she was all made up and ready to go, she went and knocked on William’s door as it was closed.

She couldn’t hear anything, but she could see a light on. Deciding that he’d got his headphones on listening to music and didn’t hear her knock, she opened the door. She was surprised to see William just lying on the bed. He wasn’t even reading.

“Oh…um, you going deaf in your old…age, William!” Not giving her a chance to finish her sentence, William rolled onto his side, his back towards her, but he said nothing.

“I’m off now,” Buffy said. Still nothing from him.

“Look…I didn’t tell you, because I knew you’d react like this” Buffy sighed, leaned on one hip. William still didn’t say anything.

She heard a car horn sound.

“Buffy, he’s here!” Willow said.

“Night then…have a good time…I will” Buffy said sarcastically, and still William said nothing.

“Right! Fine, ignore me, see if I care!” She slammed the door and left. She DID care, she cared a whole lot whether William spoke to her or not…William threw himself onto his back moodily.

Of all the boys she could go out with, why did she have to pick a wanker like Stebson?


***********************


The following morning, William came down later than normal, but with his coat on.

“William…aren’t you having breakfast?”

“Um, no thanks mom, I’ll grab something later, there’s a couple of things I want to check in the library for before my test, (he was fibbing) I’ll see you, bye” and he was out the door. Hank came out of the den, draining his coffee cup.

“Oh, was that William? – I wanted to say good luck” Buffy looked up from her magazine and frowned. She thought ‘Good luck?’, and then remembered that he had some big computer test he was taking in town, and felt guilty that she hadn’t said anything either.

She hadn’t enjoyed the date the previous evening either, worrying about him, but not for that reason only. Angel had wandering hands, and was really only interested in making out…

“He probably thought you’d gone…he didn’t even have a drink…or even speak to you, did he Buffy? - He must be distracted” Joyce said.

Buffy kept her head down and mumbled something.

She got to school, and saw Angel standing with his friends. She walked up the steps.

“Buffy” She stopped, and asked,

“What?” Angel glanced at his friends, embarrassed that she’d all but ignored him, in front of his friends. He beckoned her with his head. Buffy didn’t like this.

“I’m busy, see you lunch time” she turned and carried on up the steps. Angel resisted the temptation at follow her, although he wanted to.

When she got in class, she was surprised to see her brother there.

“William! I thought that you were-“

“Right, settle down now while I do registration…that includes you, Miss Summers” Buffy glared at the teacher, sat down in her chair.

“Adams”

“Here”

“Anderson”

“Yup”

“Benson”

“Here”

“Campbell-Summers”

“Yes”

“Cartwright”

“Yes”

While the teacher called out the names, Willow passed Buffy a note.

“What’s the matter with William?”

“Angry about you-know-who” Buffy wrote back

“Rosenberg”

“Sorry”

“Sorry? Miss Rosenberg, why are you sorry?”

“I um, I mean here”

“Sanders”

“I’m here”

“Summers”

“Miss Summers”

“What? I mean yes, here” She heard a chair scrape back, and William passed her.

“Ok William, good luck” the teacher said

“Thanks” he left without so much as a glance in Buffy’s way. A few of her classmates looked in her direction; they knew how close Buffy was to her brother.

She kept her head down, looking sideways as William hitched his bag up on his shoulder and disappeared down the corridor, without even looking back into the classroom.

“Miss Summers, for the second time!”

“WHAT?”

“I don’t know where your concentration is today, but if you can’t keep up in class time, maybe you’d like to do it in your own!”

“Sorry…I’ve got something on my mind” Buffy said, looking serious.

“Yeah, she’s just lost her right arm…he’s left without saying goodbye!” one wag said.

“Just Fuck off!” Buffy snarled at the girl who’d been sarcastic.

“Right, detention for a week Miss Summers, I will NOT have foul language like that in my class”

Buffy smarted, a few pupils glanced at her then each other.
At break, Willow said,

“Buffy, you’ve got to calm down, Mr Simpson nearly gave you detention too…you get detention from three teachers in a row in one week, and you could be looking at a suspension!”

“I don’t care!”

“Buffy”

“Oh…save it!” Buffy marched off. Willow heaved a sigh. Two hands grabbed her shoulders.

“Boo!”

“Oh, Xander, hi”

“What’s up with the Bufster, she’s got a real scowl on her face?” Willow explained.

“Buffy and William fallen out? – I don’t believe it!” Xander said, then he asked,

“Why?” Willow explained about the previous evening.

“Oh. Well, I’m with William on this…Stebson is BAD news, it’ll lead to no good, she’s only been out with him once, and she’s already in detention!”

“Yes but…” Willow sighed and followed Xander to the next lesson. Buffy was nowhere to be found.
Xander, by a subtle sideways jerk of the head to indicate outside, bought Willow’s attention to

Buffy walking out of the school gates. Willow frowned.

“Miss Rosenberg, would you like to answer?”

“Um, the um, the murderer said that his reason for killing the woman was private, but he’d written in his diary that she’d reminded him of the woman at the nursing home where he’d been abused, this didn’t come out during the trial, and-“

“Ok, ok, you were listening, my mistake, thankyou. Mr Harris, why did the prosecuting counsel object to the evidence being bought up at the appeal?”

“Um…well, er…” Willow wrote
‘Diary inadmissible evidence, taken without warrant’ Willow hissed at him.

“The er, the diary, which the killer wrote in was classed as inadmissible evidence, when the detectives took it from his home, they didn’t have a warrant”

“Very good. I apologise to you too, I thought you wasn’t listening either”

“Ok…so, ‘inadmissible evidence’” the teacher said, as she wrote the words on the blackboard. The English literature lesson continued.

“Thanks Will”

“It’s ok…I wonder where Buffy’s gone?”

******

“Hey, Harris…have you seen Buffy?” Angel came over to them as they were leaving class.

“I saw her leave at about 1.30”

“Leave?” Angel looked puzzled

“Yes, leave. As in go, vamoose, push off, vacate the prem-ok, ow!” Angel had grabbed Xander by the collar.

“Angel, leave him alone. We were in Eng Lit class, and saw her walk out of the gates. She’s really peed off, she’s got detention, nearly twice”

“Angel”

“What?”

“Smoke, come on” Angel let Xander go and went over to his mates, who had all lit up cigarettes
Chapter 12 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 12


“Hi mom!”

“William! Everything ok, son?”

“Yeah”

“How did the test go?”

“Fine…it was easier than I thought it was going to be…although, funnily enough, practically everybody I spoke to after thought it a lot harder!”

“Only you dashed off so quickly this morning I was worried”

“Sorry mom”

“Dad wanted to say ‘good luck to you, but whoosh – you’d gone!”

“Sorry, I thought I heard the car start early, and he’d already gone” Joyce patted his shoulders.

“No, he was just moving it so I could get my car out first. Are you hungry?”

“Starving, I didn’t bother with lunch in the end, I thought I’d rather get home”

“And you didn’t have breakfast either, oh love! Still, got your favourite for tea, sausages, I’ll do you a couple extra”

“Great, thanks…I um, I better go on up, there’s some studying I want to do. What time’s tea?”

“About six, is that alright?”

“Fine” William had just got to the stairs, when the phone rang.

“Hello”

“Oh, hi Will, how was the test?”

“Fine”

“How’s Buffy”

“Buffy, I don’t know, I’ve only just got in, didn’t you two have Eng Lit together this afternoon?”

“Should have done, she walked out at 1.30, she’d got herself detention from Miss Jones, nearly from Mr Simpson, and we haven’t seen her since”

“Oh, hold on…mom”

“Yes?”

“Where’s Buffy?”

“Buffy? Why, she hasn’t come in from school yet, she could be with Willow, I suppose”

“Oh, um right, ok thanks. Willow, mom says she hasn’t come in yet, and she could be with you”

“Gods, don’t drop her in it, will you?”

“I won’t, but she better not be with that moron Stebson, that’s all, bye” he got up into his room, and heard the front door slam, and thumping up the stairs.

“Buffy, Buffy, is that you?”

“Yes…” Buffy said in a bored voice.

“Somebody’s phoned for you, ask William”

“Ok” She swallowed, and looked at William’s closed door. She knocked. No answer.

She opened the door with a defiant look on her face, until she saw William with his back to her on his computer, with his headphones on. He knew she was there, but didn’t turn around. Buffy put her hand on his shoulder. He looked up, pulled his headphones down off one ear.

“Willow’s phoned for you, wanting to know where you went this afternoon”

“Oh. What did you say?”

“I asked mum where you were, she said you hadn’t come in from school and could be with Willow. I didn’t tell her it was Willow that wanted you”

“Thanks how did-“ William ignored her and replaced his headphones. Buffy felt close to tears. She left his room, and miserably threw herself onto her bed. She could hear the phone ringing, and then her mother calling up the stairs for her.

“Hello?”

“Oh, hi Xander…”

“Where did you get to?”

“Um…not now, eh…I’ll see you tomorrow”

“We were worried about you”

“I’m ok”

“You made it up with William?”

“Um…don’t think so…he’s not happy with me, anyway”

“How did his test go?”

“Don’t know, all he said was that Willow had phoned me and that was it”

“Well, if he’s pissed at you because of Stebson, then I’m with him. Buffy, you don’t need to get mixed up with the likes of him…he’s dangerous” Xander warned.

“Yeah, yeah…you make him sound like a bloody gangster!”

“Well, he might as well be, he killed somebody, don’t forget!”

“Don’t talk bollocks!”

“I’ll tell Willow you’re ok, see you tomorrow, bye” Buffy trudged back upstairs. At a quarter to six, William went downstairs, and went into the kitchen.

“Want me to lay the table?”

“Um…your dad won’t be in ‘till late, and I had a cooked lunch, I don’t know what Buffy’s doing, so if you want yours on a tray?”

“Ok”

“What’s Buffy doing?”

“I’ve no idea” William said, as he opened the draw and took out a knife and fork, and a placemat. This surprised Joyce.

“Not fallen out, have you?”
William said nothing.

“What’s she done?” Joyce asked.

“What makes you think she’s done something?” William asked with a faint smile.

“Because I know you, and I know my daughter, and she can be a prize bitch at the moment!” this surprised William, but he said nothing. Joyce served up his tea, and he went and put the TV on.

“Buffy…Buffy!” Joyce called.

“What?”

“Tea”

“Not hungry” Joyce said nothing else. When he’d finished his tea, William took his tray out into the kitchen, and put his plate and cutlery into the dishwasher, and put his tray and placemat back in the cupboard. Putting his head around the den doors, he said,

“Thanks mum, that was great, I’m going up to do my homework now”

“Ok baby, I’ll bring you a drink up soon”

“Ta, see you” he ran upstairs. Buffy was in the bathroom. He went into his room and closed the door. On his bed William saw $10, and a note.

‘Thanks…have you fallen out with me? I love you’ William heaved a sigh, and closed his eyes. There was a light tap on his door.

“Will…William” he opened the door. Buffy looked at him with big eyes.

“Yeah?”

“Get your money back?”

“Yes thanks”

“Have you fallen out with me?”

“Are you still going out with Angel?” Buffy didn’t answer.

“I’ll take that as a yes then,”

“What has everybody got against him?” Buffy whined.

“Where do you want me to start? – Thanks for the money back, now, if you don’t mind, I’ve got homework to do” Buffy pursed her lips and turned and went back into her own room, and slammed the door. Joyce, had heard this exchange of words, and wasn’t happy. The phone rang again.

“Hello?”

“Mrs Summers?”

“Yes”

“I’m Mrs Manning, I’m the school councillor, could you tell me what happened to Buffy this afternoon? She was registered as present, but doesn’t appear in any of the class roll calls”

“I’m sorry, hold on…Buffy…Buffy…BUF- OH”

“What?”

“You get down here this minute, NOW young lady, you’ve got some explaining to do!” Buffy rolled her eyes, heaved a sigh, and reluctantly stomped downstairs.

Half an hour later when Hank came home


Hank paced about in front of her.

“Just what’s got into you, Buffy? Detention, truancy and now I understand you’re seeing this Angel Stebson, do I have to remind you that a boy was killed whilst they were messing about in a car?” Buffy sat there, and said nothing.

“You really disappoint me, I thought we’d bought you up better than this!”
Joyce added.

“You’re grounded, for a fortnight, and no allowance either”

“But dad!” Buffy began

“And no borrowing off William” Buffy sat there feeling wretched.

“Go to your room”
Buffy stomped upstairs. William was waiting upstairs for her, standing in his doorway. She glanced up at him, her eyes glistening with tears. He held his arms out, and pulled her close into a hug, and kissed her forehead, he slipped the $10 back into her hand. She looked through blurry tears at the cash.

“But dad said-“ Buffy began.

“Shh…it’s not a loan…you can have it, now don’t cry, please…you know I hate it when you cry…” Buffy cuddled in. She couldn’t BEAR falling out with William, everything else, well, she couldn’t give two hoots really, especially school, even punishment from their parents, but William, he was a different kettle of fish.

He’d felt responsible in a way for getting her detention, as he’d ignored her that morning. Xander had told him what had happened.

“You don’t hate me?”

“Never, you know better than that”

“I love you –PLEASE don’t fall out with me, I can’t bear it”

“I love you, always, now, you better go to your room, I think dad’ll be up to see me very soon, he’ll want to know about my test”

“How did you do, bet you thought it was easy” William smiled.

“Yeah”

“William” hank called up the stairs
They broke apart; Buffy gave him a light kiss and went to her room.

“Yes, dad?”

“Mind if I come up for a few minutes, not disturbing you too much?”

“Course not”

“………So, luckily, I’d seen something on the net about this new business language, and read up about it, and how easy it was to adapt”

“You said everyone else thought it hard?” Hank asked, smiling at his son.

“Well, there was only another two people who’d heard of this language, one had seen this thing on the net, and the other chap had seen a brief reference to it because he dabbles in stocks and shares, but neither of them knew much about it”

“So…that’s one clever son I’ve got. I’m very proud of you William”

“I know, dad…”

“So, where did we go wrong with Buffy?” Hank asked with a sigh.

“You didn’t…look, she’ll be ok, I’ll do what I can, I’ll always look after her, and if that Angel Stebson does anything to hurt her, I’ll bloody kill him!” William said, smiling at his dad. Hank smiled, hugged him and said goodnight.

“She’ll be ok…William looks after her, but he was busy with his test today” Hank said.

“Yes, I’m so glad we’ve got that lad…I think they had a falling out, about her seeing that Angel” Joyce said.

“Yes, well…Will won’t see her in any harm”

“Goodnight love”

“Goodnight Hank” Joyce turned her lamp off, turned over and went to sleep.

Buffy did her detention, and did her punishment of being grounded. When the fortnight was up, she went to the Bronze with Angel, and the following night they arranged to go out, but he stood her up to go and play pool.

She decided to give him one more chance, and they arranged to go to the cinema when the latest blockbuster came out. At the last minute, she decided that she didn’t want to see the film as it was a war one, and very violent, and leaving school late one evening, she saw Angel with Cordelia in the cinema queue. They were all over one another, kissing and cuddling, and she was a little upset.

The front door slammed, and Buffy stifled a sob with the back of her hand, and ran upstairs. Joyce went to stand up.

“Buffy…Buffy, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Leave me alone, mind your own business!” She slammed her bedroom door.

“If it’s that no good boyfriend of hers, I’ll…Buffy, you come down here, now!” Hank shouted. They spent a fruitless ten minutes trying to get her to come out of her bedroom.
William came in, put his bag full of books on the floor. He hung his coat up and hooked his scarf over it on the hook.

“Hi mom, dad…what’s up?”

“Buffy, and you tell us…she’s upset over something, but won’t tell us, she won’t even let us into her bedroom, or come out and talk to us” Joyce reached the bottom of the stairs and kissed her son’s cheek.

“Do you want me to…”

“Would you son…if it’s that boyfriend of hers, I’ll bloody well kill him!” Hank said, making a fist.

“I just saw him…oh, I’m SO gonna hit him, I’ll kill him if he’s hurt her! Is she very upset?” William asked, looking up the stairs. Joyce and Hank nodded

“What did you see?” Joyce and Hank said in unison.
He led them a little way off out of earshot from the stairs.

“When I was coming from the library just…I passed the cinema, and there was Angel, with Cordelia in the queue” William said.

“But, well, they’ve all known each other since they were toddlers, what’s the problem?” Joyce asked.

“Oh…Cordelia was hanging off him…they kept on kissing each other…Buffy must have seen it too”

“William…Will-“ Buffy called down stairs, although you couldn’t see her.

“Yeah?”

“Come and talk to me…please?”

“Sure, be up in a minute”

“Buffy, William has got to-“ Joyce began to call out

“It’s ok mom, I’ve done all my homework and revising, If I haven’t done enough studying by now, then…” Joyce nodded, patted her son’s arm.

William picked up his book bag, ran up the stairs.

“I sometimes wonder what we’d have ever done without that lad…” Hank said.

William knocked on her door. Buffy opened it a crack, saw it was William and let him in immediately.

“You ok Buffy?”

“No!”
“Oh…come here…” William cuddled her up. She put her arms around his neck, William put his around her waist, loosely. He let her cry for a minute or two.

“You getting my shirt all snotty?” William teased softly.
She giggled, sniffed, and leant slightly out of the embrace.

“Sorry” she mumbled He got her a tissue.

“Here, blow your nose, now, please tell me you’re not crying over Angel, else I’ll be forced to go and hit him.” William said. (Again, he thought, Buffy didn’t know that he’d hit him last week). Buffy turned away, sat on her bed, William sat by her.

“Buffy” her mother called, lightly tapping the bedroom door. Buffy grimaced and mouthed ‘not now’ shaking her head at William. He stood, opened the door a little.

“Here.” She handed him two cans of soda.

“Do you want any tea?” Joyce continued. Buffy shook her head.

“It’s ok, mom, we’re going out, we’ll get something then, ok?” William said, trying his best to reassure his mom with his facial expression.

“Oh, but…ok” She turned and went downstairs.

“Here” William passed her a can. She put it on the nightstand.

“Thought you’d got an exam tomorrow?” Buffy said, watching the cold can ‘sweat’ in the warmth of her room.

“I have”

“Shouldn’t you be studying then?”

“Now, what’s more important, my entrance exam to get me into Harvard and Yale, or my sister’s problems with her no good ex boyfriend, who isn’t fit to lick her boots!” Buffy put her arm around William’s shoulders, and kissed his cheek.

“I love you…what would I do without you?”

“Let me see…well, you’d have to study a bit harder…make up your own excuses for being late and coming in after curfew, instead of relying on me to open a window for you…um…find yourself a new best friend to tell your problems to!”

Buffy was lying across her bed, head against the wall, she was playing with William’s fingers.

“Oh god!” she sat up suddenly.

“What’s the matter?” William looked worried.

“Um…please fail these exams!”

“Fail, why?” William had a slight smile on his face.

“Coz if you pass…you’ll have to leave, then what will I do?”

“Do you realise…apart from the first night that you spent in hospital having your appendix out, we’ve never been apart?” Buffy said. William smiled, nodded, and looked down at the bedroom carpet,

“Yeah…I know!”

“I cried so much that night that I was sick, and then the hospital said I could sleep by your bed…I was petrified you were going to leave me” She leant her head on his shoulder. William turned his head and kissed her forehead.

“Do you remember what I whispered to you when you’d just got put back into the hospital room from the recovery ward?” Buffy asked smiling

“Um…I was pretty groggy…something about always love me?” Buffy grinned

“Yeah, I said get better, coz I’ll always love you” She sat holding onto his hand. After a little while, William squeezed her hand and said,

“Come on Buf, let’s go out, shall we?” Finishing his soda, he threw the empty can in the wastebasket, then stood and pulled her up. He went across to his room, and went to put on his denim jacket.

“Can I wear that?” Buffy asked.

“Sure!” he took his arm back out of the sleeve, and handed it to her, putting on his college fleece instead. He picked up his wallet, grabbed her hand and they ran downstairs.

“See you later” The front door slammed behind them.

“Was that the two of them?” Hank asked, getting up and looking out of the window.

“Yes…don’t worry, William will bring her round”

“I know, I just…”

“Just what, love?”

“I don’t know…what will we do if he wins this place at Harvard and Yale? I mean, chance of a lifetime for him, plus, I’m so proud of him, our son at Harvard…” Hank threw back his Scotch.

“He can’t not go because of our selfish daughter…I don’t know why she’s like she is with us, we’ve always treated them the same, always encouraged her to bring her friends home …I don’t know her anymore.” Joyce said sadly.

“Well, at least there was never any rivalry or jealousy between them, they’re still best friends”


In Luigi’s

“Share one, shall we?” William looked at the menu. Buffy nodded.

“A large smoked ham and mushroom, extra cheese, and some potato wedges with sour crème dip, two diet cokes please.” William said.

The waitress smiled as she took their order. In fact, she could hardly drag her eyes off William.
Buffy grinned.

“Got a fan-club there…in fact, you’re the number one Hottie on campus, did you know?” Buffy asked grinning. William had gone red.

“We’re here to discuss your problem, remember?”

“Huh…how can I forget?”

“You don’t want to let on that it bothers you…I don’t know what you see in him anyway…thankyou” William said, as the waitress put their drinks in front of them, she flashed William a dazzling smile, and gave Buffy a dirty look. Buffy scowled back at her.

“She fancies you! See the look she just gave me?”

“Yeah…look…it’s pointless, I’m totally not interested”

“Why?”
.

“Because if I’m going away soon, it wouldn’t be worth starting anything, would it?”

“You could have some fun for a couple of weeks!” Buffy said, trying not to sound jealous as hell.

“You know I’m not like that.” William said quietly.

“No. You’re not. You’re the sweetest bestest brother I could ever have, and I love you to bits!” Buffy said. She sat up straight, grinning at him. William smiled shyly at her.

The waitress put the pizza in front of them, and then turned back to the counter for the wedges.

“Anyway, dear brother, what are we going to do for my birthday?” Buffy asked. The waitress went big-eyed when she heard Buffy say ‘brother’ and smiled at Buffy then.

“Can we have the dips over here, please?” Buffy called. The waitress rushed and apologised, putting three little tubs on the table instead of two.

“Thanks”

“So, this birthday of yours what do you want to do, big party?”

“Nah…same old crowd…sick of them…sick of Cordelia, sick of Willow…sick of Xander…and Totally sick of Angel”

“Well, that’s good, the Angel bit…what did you see in him? Is it the bad boy image, knowing dad and mom would disapprove?”

“Something like that…”

“Listen Buffy, I know nothing was ever proved…but I swear I’ve always felt that the night James got killed…”

“What, that it was Angel driving and not James?” Buffy said. As he was chewing, William just nodded.

“Yeah, well…like you say, nothing was ever proved, and he’s not gonna say now, is he?”

“No. But every time you got into that bloody black Plymouth of his…”
Buffy looked up big eyed at William.

“I went through it once, lost two people I loved most in the world at the time, I lost my mom and dad when I was just five…I couldn’t…I couldn’t stand it to loose you too” Buffy closed her eyes.

“Well, no worries, I promise you…I’m well over him now” Her fingers reached his hand and she gently squeezed.

William glanced outside the restaurant to see Angel and Cordelia strolling past. Buffy saw William’s face change, and followed his look.

“See, totally over him!” Buffy turned back, grinning at William and picked up her last slice of pizza, she was still holding William’s other hand though.

**

“See now, I think that’s WAY unhealthy!” Cordelia said.

“What?” Angel had seen Buffy in the pizza place and immediately dropped Cordelia’s hand; he rubbed his nose with his finger so Cordy wouldn’t get suspicious.

“Those two…I mean, HELLO, they’re brother and sister, for gods sake!”

“Yeah, but, well, the law might say they are, but they’re not really, are they, both got different sets of parents…he comes from the other side of the world remember…” Angel said.

“Why are we talking about them? Cordy grabbed his hand again, and as they were out of eyeshot of the restaurant, Angel didn’t object …

“Romano, the hair salon where I work - he said that I can start helping the buyer tomorrow…only watching though, he won’t let me anywhere near the computer to do any ordering yet, but, hey…Oh, I’m having my hair done, a streak, what do you think, blonde perhaps, or something more daring, like…purple?” Cordelia said.

A big motorcycle roared passed, and Angel craned his neck to see if he could see who it was.

“So, what do you think?” Cordelia bought him back to the here and now with a pull on his arm.

“What?” Angel asked, frowning. Cordelia rolled her eyes.

“A streak…of blonde, or something daring like blue or even purple”

“Where? – Not on my car, no way”

“No! Are you even listening to me? My hair, dummy!”

“Oh…blue?” Angel pulled a face. They stopped outside the tattooists.
Cordelia knew her dad would shit her just looking in the window!

“Wow…I love that, it would look great on my back!” Angel was looking at the cover of the Album, ‘Bat out of Hell’ with the big Harley and the skeleton faced demon riding it.

“You do know, that you can’t have sex while you’re having it done, don’t you. I mean, while the tattoo is in progress, stretches the skin or something?”

Cordelia said, talking complete bollocks as usual, then realised what she’d said, and went red. His interest suddenly 100% on what she’d got to say, Angel gave her a wicked grin.

“Planning on coming across then?”
Cordelia smacked his arm, hard.

“I’m not Buffy”

“Er, Buffy and I are finished because she…um don’t want to talk about it!”

“What?” Cordelia asked.

“You didn’t want to talk about them, her, so be quiet!” Angel said, annoyed.

“Oh my god…you finished with her because she WOULDN’T? Gods…I thought that…never mind”
Angel shoved her against the wall, his hand went up her top, and he squeezed a lace-covered breast.

“Angel!”

He kissed her neck, gave her breast another squeeze, and then withdrew his hand.
Cordelia glared at him.

“Not out here…gods, my dad could be driving past, or one of his clients”

“Yeah, yeah…” A thought just struck Angel.
So…if not out in the open…

“Um…want to come back to mine?”

“T-t-t-tonight?”

“No, ten years from now, YES, tonight!”

“Um…well I, erm…”

“Come on Cordelia…gods you’re SO beautiful…please, I just want to be with you…you fill my every waking thought, you’re driving me crazy, I think I’m in love with you!”

The words sunk into Cordelia. The fact that he hadn’t even looked at her when he said it, or kissed her or even stroked her face as the book suggested, and the fact that he’d delivered the lines with such lacklustre of emotion, just verbatim, he was surprised at the result…hey, the book was right!

One up for ‘How to Seduce Women’, volume one! Totally didn’t work on Buffy though…she even asked who was writing his cheesy scripts!

“You mean that?” Cordelia all dreamy eyed, holding his hand, curling herself towards him.

“Sure…I um…I think of you all the time.” He lied.

“Do you? – I mean, you do? – So why date Buffy?”

“I haven’t…well ok, just a couple of times but, well, I finished with her…to go out with you…I was hoping to make you jealous!” She reached to stroke his face. A car full of rowdy students drove passed, loud music blaring and the kids swigging out of cans.

Angel grinned at them. Recognised a couple of the kids, then he realised what Cordelia was doing, making him look a right wuss. He jerked his head away.

“Erm, like you said, not in the street!” She looked a little startled.

“Come on…let’s go back to yours” Angel said.

“What, we can’t…and don’t park that thing anywhere near my house, dad will have a fit”

“Well, I’ve just remembered, we can’t go to mine…dad’s got his bird there tonight”

“His what?”

“Oh, um nothing…he’s busy, that’s all”

“Where’s your mom?”

“Working the night shift”

“Come on, let’s go for a drive” Angel’s only thought was to go to Inspiration Point.
Chapter 13 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 13



“Hmm…Angel…you do…do love me, don’t you”

“What…oh...er, yeah……...um, course I do…told you…” The only thing Angel was concentrating on, was trying to get his pants down…

“Promise you won’t tell anybody?”

“No…I won’t tell…move your leg……… that’s it.”

“Where’s my thong?”

“In my pocket, don’t worry”

“Angel, I’m scared”

“Huh, don’t be…um, I really like you Cordelia”

“WHAT!” She struggled to sit up, pushing Angel backwards; his butt hit the car horn, making it blare and the car rock violently.

“What…what’s the matter?” Angel was surprised, and painfully hard, and needed to adjust himself.

“You LIKE me! You said you loved me half an hour ago!”

“What, I DO…lie down”

“No”

“ CORD…Cordelia, please…I do love you…why do you think I finished with Buffy for?” Her face changed; good, that was good thinking off the cuff! Angel thought.

“Really?” Cordelia had the dreamy look returning.

“Look, I…said um, I called her by your name when I was kissing her…ask Nathan…Buffy slugged me one, and ran off, saying she never wanted to see me again, ask him, I swear it’s true”

It was true, Buffy had just done exactly that, but not because Angel had called her Cordelia, oh no, he’s said, in no uncertain terms that he thought it was about time she stopped being so frigid and to drop her knickers for him.

“Wow…no wonder she was pissed, you called her by my name, after only kissing her?”

“Um…can we stop talking now…” Angel pushed her back down on the seat and kissed her. Cordelia lay back, moving her thigh so Angel could drop between them.

“Ah…that’s it…”

“Ow, mind your knee!”

“Sorry … bloody gear stick’s…in the…way…there.”

“Ang---ELL! Ow! Cut your nails!”
Angel covered her mouth with his, he didn’t want to listen to her…if he could…just imagine it was Buffy………

“Um, ok, ready?”

“Hmm…not re- ahhh!” Cordelia screwed her eyes up as he entered her. She was far from ready, not that he cared, he didn’t even know what foreplay was.

“Oh…good…oh, OH GODS! Th-that’s… s-s-s-so… good!” Angel had his eyes screwed up tight.

“Is it…ow, oh, um, that’s hurts…it’s sore…” Cordelia bit her lip; she wasn’t convinced.

“Uhn…oh, um…pill…you…are…uhn…on the pill…uhn” Angel was already passed the point of no return, after only about half a dozen thrusts, and pushing hard up inside her.

“What, no! – I thought you’d got a rubber! Angel…ahh, you’re hurting…ooohh!”

“Cord- fuck…uh, oh ……… I’m…gonna…Uhn…ooohh!” he sagged on top of her, spent. First time he’d come without the aid of his own hand.

“I…I Can’t………breathe…get off me…is…is that it?” Cordelia said, shoving Angel off her.

“What…you mean you didn’t um…you know, come?”

“No…gods, if that’s all it is, then its grossly over-rated if you ask me…ew…I’m all wet…and sticky! – Oh, Gods! - What if I’m pregnant now?”

“What, don’t be stupid, you can’t get pregnant the first time!” Angel said, perpetuating the old myth, eventually pulling up his pants, and settling back into the drivers seat.

“You can…my mom’s friends, daughter…”

“Look, we’ll get married if you are” Angel said rashly, not wanting to listen to one of her infernal monologues. He reached for his cigarettes, lit one.

“Really? ………I thought that it was supposed to last longer than that” she snuggled up.

“Yeah well, you got me all worked up” Angel lied.

“Did I?” Cordelia smiled

“Yeah. Come on, I’ll drop you home”

“What, already…but it’s only half past ten”

“I’ve got to go see Ged”

“Ok, remember, promise you won’t tell?

“What? Oh yeah, promise” Angel reversed out from under the trees.

“Just drop me at the bottom of the road”

******************


Angel swaggered into the bar, ordered a beer by the neck. His mates were playing pool.

“We saw you!”

“What?”

“With that Cordelia bird…”

“And?………Well…blokes got to get his end away somewhere, least I know she’s clean” Angel boasted.

“Get outta here, you fuckin’ ‘Delia, anyway, how do you know she’s clean?”

“Coz I just busted her cherry…Two hours straight, Inspiration Point…gods my dick’s sore, she’s just mad for it” Angel swigged from the bottle of beer.
Ged, his mate grinned.

“Didn’t use a rubber then?”

“They erm………tend not to fit!” Angel grinned, between swigs.

“Get outta here, when we had that talk on AIDS, that bloke stretched a rubber right up the length of his arm!”

“Yeah well…I find them…restricting…dulls the sensation”

“So, you gave Buffy the elbow, then?” Ged said, standing up from taking his shot.

“Not exactly…just keeping things stringing along…doesn’t do to letting these birds think they own you, you know. Plus, we want that bloody nosy brother of hers out of the way, he’ll be going to Harvard soon, and as soon as he does…” Angel just grinned, took another swig of beer.

“He pass that exam then?” Taylor asked.

“Sure fire certainty that is, straight A student, he came in the top 1% in the country as regards exam results, he’ll pass…”

“So, who’s the better lay, Buffy or Cordy?”

“Oh…Buffy, but don’t say anything… as I’m planning on getting back with her, very shortly, it doesn’t do for them to erm, you know, know that we’ve talked about them” Angel said, not wanting anything like that getting back to Buffy, especially as she wouldn’t even let him even touch her breasts.

“Not if Parker has his way” Ged smirked. Angel’s face darkened.

“That fucking mongrel better keep his eyes and thoughts off her…I had to bring James to heel once” the three guys looked at Angel when he mentioned the now dead guys name, they never had the courage to mention him first.

“Hey…listen…you know that Xander, look what Marco did in computer class” They showed Angel a mocked up photo of Xander and Willow naked, having sex, doggie style. Angel sniggered.

“Hey, this is good, how did he do it?”

“Dunno…we’re going to put it in his locker tomorrow”

“Want a game?” Taylor pointed his cue towards the table.

“No ta…my fucking back’s killing me!” Angel grinned, holding his perfectly ok back.

“Oh yeah?” Ged grinned

“Yeah, you try doing it for two hours in the front of a Plymouth…hold on, what am I saying…there’s no one blind or stupid enough to WANT to fuck your brains out, is there?”

“Whereas, they’re queuing up for you”

“What can I say…I’m a babe magnet!” Angel boasted, grinning, then he finished his beer.

“You’re SO full of bullshit!” Parker said, coming into the pool room, chalking up his queue.

“Two hours straight…I don’t think so, we passed you and Cordy coming out of the cinema at…ten to ten, and it’s what…only a quarter to eleven now” Angel and his three mates looked at the football jock, then they looked back at Angel.

“I met her before we went to the flicks, balled her twice before, once after, ok?” Angel said, blowing smoke out into Parker’s face. He grimaced and turned his head away, coughing and fanning the air with his free hand. He couldn’t say anything about what Angel had just said; he wasn’t there earlier to disprove it. And then, much to Angel’s delight, Nathan came in and said,

“Was that you, parked up at Inspiration, just?”

“What if it was?” Angel grinned.

“Thought Buffy had dumped you”

“Er, no…but I wasn’t with Buffy”

“He’s shagging Cordelia now” Ged said

“Not Cordelia Chase…fuckin’ ‘ell………classy chick”

“Yeah well, like I say, Buffy and I have cooled it a bit until her brother or adopted brother or what ever he is, buggers off to Harvard and gives us some peace…and as I have needs, and she’s clean…I’m banging Cordelia, ok?”

Angel dropped his cigarette and ground it out. Parker said nothing. He was holding the cue between his legs…Cordelia Chase, eh? – He wondered what her ‘mommy’ would have to say about that, if she found out.



The Following Morning


“Come on...come on – open will you – damn thing keeps getting stu-oh gods!!”

Buffy was talking to Willow and Xander. Xander was messing about trying to open his locker. Banging it by the lock, it sprung open, and he suddenly stopped mid-sentence, and drew out the computer-generated picture of ‘himself’ and ‘Willow’.

“What?” Buffy asked, and Xander angled the piece of paper for her to see

“Oh my god…who’s done this?”

“What, what is it?” Willow frowned, tried to look, but Xander quickly held it to his chest.

“Willow…I haven’t…I mean I’d never do…oh gods!”

“What, let me see”

Across the way, Angel grinned and hissed,

“She’s looking, she’s looking…yes…go on – we have a reaction!” Ged, Marco and Taylor started to laugh.

Willow gasped and looked sick, then near to tears. Buffy turned, and saw Angel and his cronies laughing, smacking ‘high fives’ she knew instantly he’d got something to do with it.

Cordelia came stalking down the corridor.

“Um, quick, come on…” Angel said, jostling his friends to move away so she wouldn’t see him.

“Don’t you want to speak to your latest…um, ‘orgasm friend’!” Ged said, and they all laughed.

“I’m fucking her, I don’t particularly want to speak to her as well…in fact, I wish I could tape her mouth up…except when she’s begging for me for more. Or to go harder or faster…” Angel bragged.

“Nice to see you up and around again, Cordelia” Parker said. At one time, she’d had the hots for Parker, he being top squeeze as he was the best footballer in the school, and considered a real hottie, that was until William ditched the specs in favour of contact lenses, and grew his hair and learned about the merits of peroxide, that he took the title of top hottie.

“Up and about, what do you mean?”

“Oh…from all the bragging Angel was doing last night about banging you silly every-which-way-but-loose for two hours, how you wrecked his back, and he couldn’t play pool because of it. And how you made his dick sore, and he um…how did he put it…oh yeah, busted your cherry…”

Buffy looked up, shocked at the knowledge, but Willow whispered that he wasn’t worth bothering about if he could go with Cordelia so soon after breaking up with her. Buffy agreed and said she wasn’t bothered.

Cordelia had gone a lovely shade of puce, and looked mortified, her mouth fell open.

“Oh, and just a little friendly advice, use a condom, he got mono last year, remember…he could have anything” Parker walked off. Cordelia wished the floor would open up and swallow her whole. Glancing around to see if anyone had heard their conversation, she was mortified. She’d have to talk to Angel, like NOW!

“So if you see her, don’t let her get me on my own, ok, she can’t start on me then, bird’s get a bit clingy once you start shagging them, think you owe them something.” Angel said to his friends. They all nodded. He’d promised to give them a blow-by-blow account of what happened the previous evening at lunchtime, if they kept him covered and Cordelia away from him.

Ged, Taylor and Marco managed to keep Cordelia at bay until afternoon break, when Cordelia spotted Angel going into the toilets, and followed him in.

“Just what do you think you’re playing at?” She hissed at him.

“Hi, baby…” he went to kiss her.

“Get away from me!”

“What? – But babe…what’s the matter?” Angel feigned surprise at her frostiness.

“You! You that’s what’s the matter, telling everyone we…we, you know whatted last night, you promised me!” She bobbed her knees once as would a petulant child being told ‘no’.

“What? I so did not tell, baby…I know if I told anyone…well, that would be you and me finished…do you think I want that, eh? We’ve got something SO special…” He touched her cheek with his finger, stroking.

“Well how come Parker told me you were bragging that you banged me for two hours last night and busted my cherry? Eh – tell me that?”

“Two hours? Busted you what? … But, but I met you, we went to the movies, came out at ten past ten…I saw Parker, yes, must have been about a quarter to eleven when I saw him, so I don’t know where he got two hours from…not that I spoke about us anyway…he must be jealous…put two and two together, and come up with, god knows… promise me you won’t think of him, in that way!” Angel said, trying out the ‘reverse the trauma’ situation from his ‘How To Seduce Women’ book.

“Promise?” Cordelia looked confused. She so wanted to believe him.

“Promise baby…think I want to ruin this beautiful thing we have, eh?” he nuzzled her neck, kissed her, he felt her relax and respond to the kiss. He smiled over her shoulder. He’d got away with it….

“How come he knew then?” Cordelia asked. Angel frowned, and then said,

“Well…somebody could have seen us at the movies, and then seen my car at Inspiration Point, I suppose, they that matter know, I’ve finished with Buffy…and that I’m seeing you now…” Angel could hear footfalls in the corridor.

“Um, babe, someone’s coming” Cordelia dashed out. Nathan looked surprised at her coming out of the men’s room. Angel quickly mussed his hair, lolled against the wall, quickly undid his flies, and some buttons on his shirt…after he was sure Nathan saw it, he did himself up.

“Wow, she won’t leave me alone!” Angel boasted, tidying his hair, and checking his flies again. Nathan grinned, by the end of school, it was all about that Cordelia had given Angel a blowjob in the toilets. She knew he’d not said anything as they were in the last class together, and his mates went to ‘special needs’ for reading lessons.

Willow found out that it was one of two people that could have generated that picture, it was either Marco, or a boy called Dan Walton. She guessed (rightly) that it was the former, as she’d never heard of this Dan kid, and decided to hatch a plan to get her own back.

Cordelia caught up with Angel outside the gates.

“Phone me later”

“Sure baby”

“Hi Cordelia!”

“Yeah, hi!” Strange boys were greeting and grinning at her, sucking their fingers, imitating a ‘blowjob’ and giggling. Angel knew what they meant, Cordelia didn’t.

“What do they mean?”

“Search me…listen babe, I’ll phone you, ok”

“On my mobile…we can talk then”

“Later, babe”
Ged, Marco, Nathan and Taylor were slowly walking out of the gates, reading a printed paper.

“Ok, what’s so interesting that it’s got you lot reading when you don’t have to?” he snatched the paper out of Marco’s hand.

“Hey, I was reading that!”

“…Scientific experiment with special needs candidates only…experiment to be done after school, an authorisation is needed from a parent, and a fee of $25 will be paid to each chosen candidate”

“Hmm, sounds suspicious to me” Angel said, then added,

“Where did you get them, anyway?”

“On the desk when we got into our class”

“I can forge my mom’s signature anyway, I do all the time, and then I can keep the $25!” Taylor said.

“Can you do my mom’s?”

“How the fuck do I know what your mom’s writing looks like?”

“I’ll bring you a copy” Angel shook his head…no wonder they never got laid, they were so stupid…he was grinning, until he saw Parker walking out of the gate with his arm on Buffy’s shoulder. Angel felt his blood boil.

“So, he said he was keeping you at arms length until William had gone to Harvard.” Parker reiterated.

“Did he now, well thank’s for telling me. It’s not true, we’re finished, for good.”

“Um, Buffy; fancy coming out this weekend sometime?” Parker looked hopeful.

“Erm, I’ll take a raincheck on that Parker, we’ve got guests coming from abroad, family do, you know…another time, maybe?

“Great, I won’t forget” he walked off, pleased with himself. Although trying to be diplomatic and hanging back, Willow and Xander had heard everything.

“So, you won’t be coming to mine on Sunday, then?” Willow said.

“What, course I will!”

“Oh, but I thought…”

“Just to put him off, if I said just a party, he’d try wangle an invite, as I said a ‘family do’ then he couldn’t really ask…I just don’t really want to go out with him”

“So just tell him” Xander said

“He’s useful at the moment, let’s me know what Paingel is planning, so I can be for-warned!”

“So, go on then Will, when they are in there, what we gonna do?” Xander asked Willow to explain her plan to get back at Marco for the picture.


Two Weeks Later.

“It’s here! Joyce said, picking up the long white envelope that had Harvard Examination Board printed on it.

Joyce went upstairs, knocked on William’s slightly opened bedroom door. Buffy was sitting cross legged on the bottom of his bed, dressed in her pyjamas. As the time got nearer for the results,
Buffy had got more quiet and almost withdrawn, spending every spare second with William, watching TV, listening to music, or just being by him while he read.

William was sitting up. They were both smiling when Joyce went in. Hank hovered in the doorway.

“Well, here we are then…before you open it…whatever the result, son, you know we’ll always love you and are so proud of you” Hank said.

William took the letter. It was a fore-gone conclusion as to whether he’d passed really, it wasn’t IF he passed; it was how well he’d done more like.

“Thanks, dad, mom. I love you too” Slowly, he turned the envelope over and slit it open with his thumb, took out the letter.

“Here goes…he read…um, I passed! Got 97%, I needed a 86% or more”

“Oh William!” Joyce and Hank hugged him. Not only had William passed, he scored the highest score, ever!

“We’ll see you down stairs” They closed the door. Buffy leaned forward and hugged him. She was shaking like a leaf, her face pinched; she managed to say,

“So proud of you Will” Her voice hoarse and strange…She kissed him and hugged him again. He relaxed to let her go, but she didn’t move, and felt her shaking.

“You ok?” Buffy shook her head. Will tilted her chin up
She raised her tear filled eyes to him.

“No.” She broke down and began to cry. This in itself always tore William up; he absolutely HATED it when he thought that she was hurting enough to cry. He moved forward and caught her shoulders, looked at her face.

“What’s up, eh? Come on Buffy, you can tell me” He gently brushed her hair from her wet face. One thought entered his mind. If she was pregnant by that moron…

“What am I going to do? I know I’m selfish…but…I… I don’t want you to go!” William caught her hand. He felt SO relieved, it was untrue, and the knot he’d felt in his stomach relaxed.

“Oh thank god!” He whispered, pulling her close, cuddling her up. Buffy felt confused slightly.

“Thank god, why, don’t you want to go?” Buffy sniffed, looked at him hopefully, with wet red eyes.

“Yes, I want to go…but……… Look, I’ve been thinking…you know I’ve got my inheritance coming through any day now, well, I’ll also have a student grant, how about instead of me living on campus, I get a bed-sit or a flat or something, and, well, would you come with me? You can go to night school, get a day job………I mean, only if you want to…I don’t want to leave you, that’s all” Buffy shrieked, flung her arms around his neck.

“Come with! William! Oh, gods, you mean it…coz I can’t be without you…I don’t want to even try…” She was beaming, and quickly shifted to look into his face. She sniffed and wiped her wet face on the sleeve of her pyjamas.

“Course I mean it…” William was grinning. He could have cried with relief himself.

“Oh gods, I’ve been so scared…thinking that…I couldn’t bear it…oh William! I love you!” She was hugging him again. William hugged her back, eyes closed. He’d been dreading it too…all along, what if she didn’t want to go with him…

“Buffy sounds pleased…I didn’t think she would be at all…in fact…no, I shan’t say anything, I don’t want to tempt fate.” Joyce said, cocking her ear to Buffy’s excited shrieks coming from upstairs.
Hank finished his cup of coffee.

“To be truthful Joyce, I’m bracing myself for some bad behaviour…huh…I just hope this Angel kid’s out of the picture…and pray she doesn’t get into something dangerous, like drugs…”

“She wouldn’t…would she? No…she’s too sensible oh gods if William’s not here………it worries me, they’ve never been apart, I’m dreading him leaving and…” Joyce said, feeling very apprehensive.

“That’s what I’m getting at…” Hank put his empty cup on the counter, and did up his top button on his shirt, slipped the knot of his tie up neatly. He looked up when he could hear giggling, and two pairs of feet running downstairs.

“Mom, Dad, listen!” Buffy flew into the kitchen excited, holding William by the hand.

“…I know you’re worried about me going off the rails when William goes…well, you won’t have to worry- coz I’m going with him!” Grinning proudly, she looked at him and scrunched her shoulders up. William was grinning too.

“What? But… but Buffy, what about…” Joyce began…

“Don’t worry mom, dad, she can register for classes, or go to night school, I haven’t got to live on campus anyway, I can use my inheritance to get us a little place…we can be study buddies!” he held Buffy’s hand tightly.

“Well…it would certainly stop us worrying, wouldn’t it, Hank”

“Yes, it sure would. One thing though, you’re not using you’re inheritance to get a place…I’ve got a policy…it’ll pay rent on a bed-sit and I’ll buy you a car, between you mind…if you promise to work hard, then I have no objections!” Hank said. Buffy hugged her mom and dad, first time in ages. They both went back up to get dressed.

“They will be alright, won’t they?” Joyce said, but she was smiling.

“William will look after her, I’ve no doubt about that, not for a second. I’m not surprised really, you couldn’t part those two with a crow bar!” Hank said, he too, was smiling.

“It’ll keep her out of that awful Angel’s clutches…Mrs Rosenberg was telling me that Angela Chase has threatened to get a restraining order out on him...and she might prosecute him for having underage sex with her daughter” Joyce said.

“Not that Cordelia girl? She always seemed to me like she thought that everyone was beneath her!”

“Well, there you go”

“Mom, we’ve decided that William will tell everyone that he passed the exam, but not about me going with him, ok, we’ve got our reasons”

“Ok love, whatever you want” Joyce said. Just before Hank left for work, he said to them,

“Look, you can start looking at cars if you want…around the $10-15 .000 mark, and when you’ve found one, we’ll go see about it, ok?”

“Yeah!”

“Great!” William grinned.

“I’m gonna let you drive…I’m hopeless!” Buffy said.
Chapter 14 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 14

Xander, Willow, Buffy, and William were sitting under a big Chestnut tree in the quad the following lunchtime.

“You passed! Not that there was any doubt – what was your percentage?” Willow asked.

“Um…I can’t remember” William said, embarrassed.

“Don’t be modest! – He got 97%, top score like, ever, ever, ever - he’s SO clever, and I’m SO proud of him!” Buffy kissed his cheek, she was grinning.

William smiled modestly and pulled at a few strands of grass. Buffy lay down and used one of William’s thighs as a pillow.

“Oh my gods, have you see who Cordelia’s new BF is?” Willow asked.

“BF?” Xander asked, puzzled.

“BF, Best friend. Look” Buffy lifted her head, shielded her eyes, they all looked over.

“Oh my gods, not Harmony! – She’s the school bike!” They saw Harmony, her arm threaded through Cordelia’s, and they were walking slowly across the quad. Standing by the rubbish bins, having a crafty cigarette, stood Angel, Ged, Marco, and Nathan.

“Where’s Taylor?” Ged asked, passing the cigarette to Angel. Three voices in unison said simply,

“Court”

“Oh yeah…I forgot”

“Think that Cordelia’s old woman will have you prosecuted?”

There was one thing you could always rely on, and that was for Ged to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. Marco and Nathan both pulled a face and winced. Angel scowled.

“She wouldn’t fuckin’ dare…I’ll torch her bloody poncy two-car fuckin’ garage, with the two fuckin’ cars, and preferably with her, fuckin’ in it, if she does”

“She’s got a lovely Merc convertible, and a BMW” Marco said. Angel just blinked wearily at him. He wondered why he hung round with these losers sometimes…His eyes, as usual, were on Buffy, and his mood mellowed.

“Not long now!” Angel said grinning, taking the now practically finished cigarette off Ged, took the last drag, and flicked it away.

“Not long for what?”

“Not long, my friend, ‘til that fucking guard-dog of a brother of Buffy’s toes it to Harvard…then I can sli-i-ide into her saddle without him reporting everything back!”

He ground his hips forward and sneered at the same time, making his mates grin with envy.

“I heard he got like, 120% in his exam” Nathan said.

“Don’t be an asshole, you can’t get more that 100%…you jerk!” Angel said. The others had heard the same, but pretended they knew Nathan was being an idiot for saying what he did.

“120%…what a fuckin, no-brainer!” Ged said, making them all grin at Nathan’s idiocy.

“Only saying what I heard!” Nathan said, indignantly.

“Hey up…way-hay! Can you see what I can see?” Marco said grinning.

“What, what?” Ged quickly put his sunglasses on, so he wouldn’t miss anything. They all automatically looked over towards Buffy and co, but then they saw Cordelia and Harmony come into view.

“Hey, perhaps they’re swapping blowjob techniques…I hear that Harmony’s got a suck like a vacuum-cleaner!” They all screwed their faces up grinning.

“Ooh! Just imagine, being in bed with those two, you’d be knackered!” Nathan grabbed hold of his balls, shaking them.

“You wouldn’t, coz you wouldn’t know what to do!” Angel said, the others grinned.

“I so would, my cousin, Garry, told me loads, he’s been to Thailand, had three girls at once, they beg you for it over there, plus they’ll do like ANYTHING… he said he’s even seen girls fucking donkey’s and everything!”

While the others laughed, Angel wasn’t listening; he was watching the small squat figure of the principal standing under the tree, talking to William Campbell-Summers. He got up, leaving the others, and went with the principal.

Then Xander and Willow stood up and left. Buffy lay down under the tree. Angel thought he’d grab his opportunity while she was alone, to go talk to her.

“See you later” He said to his mates without turning round, and walked off.

“Where are you going…oh” Nathan started, then he saw where Angel was headed.

He got halfway across the path, and saw Parker walk up to Buffy, and stand over her. He was smiling.

Buffy put her head up, shielding her eyes, and then she sat up, put her cardigan on. Parker sat down by her.

As Buffy had her head turned, she didn’t see Angel making his way over to her.

Angel’s hands curled into fists, just briefly, he could just imagine smashing them into that ‘boy-band’ type pretty boy face of Parker Abrahams’.

He toyed with the idea of just walking passed them, but that meant going into the school building, and there was still 15 minutes of lunchtime left to go. Ignoring the fact that Parker was talking to her, Angel stood by her, effectively blocking the sun off her.

“Excuse me…” Buffy said to Parker. She turned her head to see it was Angel.

“Oh, it’s you. What do you want, no, strike that, go away, I don’t want to know”

“That’s not very friendly, is it? … Heard your brother passed his exam then”

“So?”

“So…he’ll be off soon”

“He’ll be off where who – what are you on about – look, just go away will you?”

“Your dear little brother…toddling off to Harvard!”

“Yeah, what about it?” Buffy looked away, rolled her eyes at Parker. He grinned, lay down next to her. Angel suddenly sat down next to Buffy. She sighed.

“What part of ‘go away’ don’t you understand? I told you I never want to speak to you again”

“You don’t mean that…besides which, you’re talking to me now!” He reached for her hand, and she pulled it away.

“Come to the prom with me?” Angel said

“What? – In your dreams…anyway, I don’t think I’m going” Parker’s heart sank at this news, but he didn’t react. He was just about to ask her the very same thing, when Angel had so rudely interrupted them.

Buffy saw William coming towards her, and she quickly stood, grabbed her bag and went up to him, saying a quick ‘bye’ to Parker.

“You ok, what did HE want?” William asked scowling

“Me, basically. To go to the prom with him. I think that’s what Parker was going to ask me too, but he didn’t get the chance”

“And you said?”

“Huh, in his dreams…told him I didn’t think I was going, anyway. So, what did The Penguin want?”

Buffy asked grinning, holding William’s arm. The Penguin was the nickname of Principal Joseph, on account of his short rather rotund stature and likeness to the Batman comic book character.

“Oh, just to make sure he got my results right, there’s a shout out in assembly tomorrow or something…big fuss if you ask me.” William said modestly.

Angel stood up, Parker made the mistake of lying down still, and Angel walked right over him, planting his foot firmly on Parker’s genitals as he did so.

Angel’s mates laughed from their huddle, watching Parker sit up and retch repeatedly, holding his groin area before rolling around in agony on the grass.




The Following Lunchtime

“Oh, why not? - But you must! I mean, it’s the last prom before we leave.” Willow said, putting down her ‘Reuben’ sandwich.

“Besides which, we were going to ask you to split the cost of a limo” Xander said.

“It’s only a dance…anyway, we’ll be in New England…looking for a place to live” Buffy said.

“Oh. You’re not going to live on campus then?” Willow said, looking quite surprised at William. A quick glance to Buffy told William that she hadn’t even told Xander and Willow that she was going with him.

“Erm, no. I erm…I get funny having to share facilities with strangers, bathrooms and that, freaks me” William said.

“Hmm…I know what you mean…that’s why I stopped going to Chantal’s house” Willow said.

“Why?” Buffy asked, plucking the glace cherry from her Danish, and putting it into her brother’s mouth.

“Because her gran died on the downstairs toilet, or the sofa…I don’t know, I just couldn’t sit on it again after that!”

“Oh, what happened to Parker yesterday?” Xander asked, cracking open his diet coke.

“Parker, I don’t know, why?” Buffy frowned

“Diane said she saw him being taken away in an ambulance yesterday lunchtime” Xander said

“Lunchtime? – But I was only talking to him yesterday lunchtime, just after you two left, he came over, lay down next to me, then Angel comes over…oh gods, did they fight? – How bad was he, was he unconscious? – Was there blood?” Buffy panicked.

“I don’t know, that’s why I asked you, I thought you might know as he’s in your psych class” Xander asked.

“Who told you, about the ambulance, did you say?”

“Diane, Diane Robinson, she’s library prefect, she saw it from the window”

“Calm down, love” William said.

“There she is…I must…” Buffy stood, having spied the girl in question at the dinner counter. She manoeuvred her way between the coffee tables and bags, and dashed over to Diane, and asked about Parker.

The others saw Buffy nodding, and a minute later, she came back over and sat. They all looked at her expectantly.

“Angel kicked him in the nuts or something, there wasn’t an actual fight as such…but he’s out from playing football for a couple of weeks, the coach is furious, wants Angel suspended.

Willow stopped sucking on her straw.

“Huh, imagine the trouble he could get into out of school, let alone while he’s………um, sorry” Willow said.

“Sorry? Why sorry?” Buffy asked, biting into her apple.

“Well, I know he’s your ex and all…”

“Ex being the operative word, I don’t know WHAT I ever saw in him” Buffy said. Both William and Xander smiled at this.

“Sure you won’t change your mind – about the prom?” Willow asked.

Parker saw Buffy, and hoped she’d heard the news, thought he’d go for the sympathy vote, and came over to her, limping ever so slightly.

“Hi”
Buffy turned.

“Oh, um hi Parker…you erm, you ok? - I only just heard about you being hospitalised yesterday”

“Sore! Erm, did you mean that yesterday, or were you just trying to get rid of the creep – you know…about the prom?”

“I meant it, we’ll be in New England, looking for somewhere to live”

“Oh, um, erm, are you moving then?”

“Um…well, William, you know, going to Harvard, doesn’t want to live on campus” Buffy said. Her eyes were level with Parker’s groin, and briefly she wondered whether to ask about what happened.

“Tell you what, if things change, I let you know, ok?”
Parker grinned.

“Yeah, great…oh, s’cuse me, I must go, I’ve got to see the coach, bye…Mr Stein…Mr Stein” Parker called out to the coach as he was just about to leave the cafeteria.

“You mean, you wouldn’t go with me?” William said, pushing Buffy’s knee playfully.

“Course I would…he’s a nice bloke…but…I don’t know…” Buffy sighed.

“Just the type your mom and dad would like” Willow said.

“Exactly!” Buffy said, as if that statement explained everything that was wrong about him. She finished her apple. Both Xander and William rolled their eyes.


Angel, Ged, Nathan and Marco all came into the cafeteria laughing.

“…So then like a jerk, he turns and says to the cop, ‘they can’t ban me from driving, coz I’m already banned!’” Marco said.

“Angel Stebson, principals office NOW” Miss Morgan, the deputy said sternly from the door. The room had gone quiet.

Angel fixed an insolent sneer on his face, turned to look at her.

“I’ll be there, AFTER I’ve had some grub, ok, I missed breakfast, and if I was to pass out with the hunger and crack my head or something, well…(he sucked air in through his teeth) could be costly…” he shook his head grinning, so were his mates.

To save any further embarrassment, Miss Morgan left. Angel and his cronies slapped high fives at him getting one over her.

“Fucking lesbian…if she was to have a good shagging she wouldn’t be half so uptight” Ged said.

“Oh, so go on, what else did Simon’s old man do?” Nathan asked

“Nothing, driving while banned, got him 5 years, plus he’s got to serve another 3 because of what he did last time” Marco said.

“Taylor was fucking lucky to be let off with a fine and a caution…I thought he’d go down – boot-camp city!” Ged said.

“So did he, he was shitting himself this morning, you should have seen him, he had a suit and tie on, I think it was his old man’s, it looked miles too big for him, he looked a right faggot…” Nathan said. He’d seen Taylor leave for court as he lived opposite.

“That’s because he IS a faggot…” Angel winked and clucked his tongue at the serving woman, then said,

“Hello, darlin’, tell me, is the meat loaf cat, or dog? – I have my standards”

“It’s pork and turkey, don’t be cheeky”

“Just give us some fries………is that all I get?” Angel looked at what he considered a miniscule portion on the plate.

“That’s a portion” Angel stole a sausage from the hot plate, but had to turn, stick his burnt tongue out and waft the sausage in the air, it was hot.

“Fuck! It’s hot!”

“It’s a hot plate, wanker!” Ged said, but regretted it when Angel shoved the offending sausage down the back of his collar and pressed, sending hot grease down his back. Pulling him backwards, Angel hissed,

“Don’t you ever…EVER (he jerked him back further) call me a wanker again, you understand?”

“Ah, yes…yeah, sorry, ow, fuck, my back’s burning!” A large hand came over and removed Angel’s hand from Ged’s collar.

“I’ve just about had enough of you, you’re coming with me” The coach pulled Angel sharply away and he led him out, protesting about not having any lunch.

****

“A whole week off school, lucky bastard!” Nathan said.

“He was lucky he was only suspended a week, he’ll be out permanently next time.………4 ball, top pocket.” Ged took his shot, missed.

“His dad tried to ground him and get him to clean up the yard and that, but Angel said he’d tell his mom about that woman his dad’s fucking while she’s out on nights, so, he’ll be out later.” Nathan took his shot, clearing the table, thus winning the bet.

“That’s your round then, Ged………Angel!”
Angel swaggered in, his usual insolent sneer on his face.

“Get us a Bud” Angel handed Ged the money.

“So, what happened?” Nathan asked.

“That fucking lesbian complained to The Penguin, and coach Frankenstein heard, he’s pissed at me coz Parker’s out for a fortnight, he’s gonna miss a vital game or something, like I give a shit, fucking wuss.”

“You did stomp on his dick” Ged said, handing Angel his beer. Angel took a long swig out of the bottle, grinned, and then said,

“Yeah, I did, didn’t I…(his mates grinned) I’ll do more than that if he doesn’t keep away from my Buffy, I’ll cut his bollocks off next time and make him eat them!”

“So, you two back on then, she going to the prom with you?” Ged asked.

“PROM!” Angel spat out the word, and had a look on his face like someone had told him he’d got to go to church or something.

“Get a grip…prom, as if I’d be seen dead at such thing”

“I was going to ask Rachel Stevens” Nathan said.

“Who’s she?”
“Girl in my history class, saw her doing gym the other day…lovely pair of tits on her, all big and bouncy” He made a ‘weighing’ gesture with his hands. They all grinned at him.

“Carry a white stick does she?” Angel asked, draining his beer. Nathan was about to tell him to go fuck himself, but remembered the previous day’s incident with Ged and the sausage, Ged’s back was a little blistered.

The only weapons to hand were pool cues or beer bottles, and Nathan didn’t fancy being hit with either.

*****************



Buffy sat on William’s bed, looking at her diary.

“So, school breaks on the 23rd, that’s the Friday, and the proms the next night, if we fly that day, it means we can have a full week of looking for a place to live.

We have a better chance of finding somewhere the earlier we go, you can register at your college, and then we can be back here in time to go on holiday on the 2nd, that sound ok to you, or did you want to go to the prom?”

“That’s sounds fine to me, not bothered about going to the prom” William sat up.

“Ok, I’ll tell dad, and we can book the flight tonight” Buffy said, closing her diary.

“Isn’t Willow disappointed that you’re not going?” William asked.

“They’ve got Anya and Riley to go halves on a limo, so…” Buffy shrugged.

“What time does this movie start tonight?” William asked her.

“Um…hold on…(She picked up the paper) 6.10pm, 8.00pm, or 9.30pm, take your pick.”

“Let’s go the 9.30, the 8.00pm will be packed, and we can go eat first,” William suggested.

“Ok, my treat, you’re always paying!” The telephone rang. And a few seconds later, Joyce called up the stairs to Buffy.

“Who is it?” Buffy mouthed from the top of the stairs. Joyce shrugged, said,

“Male”

“Not Angel?” Buffy looked big eyed.

“NO!” Realising she almost shouted that, Joyce dropped her voice.

“Sorry, no, I know his voice.”

Buffy picked up the receiver.

“Hello”

“Hello, Buffy? – It’s Parker”

“Oh, hi Parker”

“Um, fancy going to the movies, Matrix 2 is on”

“Well, actually, I was already going with William…but you could come too, if you wanted”

“Really, um great!”

“We thought the 9.30pm showing as the 8.00pm will be too packed, and we could go eat first”

“Sure, shall I pick you up or you come to mine”

“We’ll pick you up, ‘bout 8.00, that be ok?”

“Fine, I’ll be ready”
“Ok, see you then, bye”

“Bye” Parker put the phone down, and shouted, ‘YES!’ Ok, so William would be there, but at least he’d be with her, and it was a start!”

Buffy pressed the cut off digits on the phone to end the call, then phoned Willow.

“Hi, wanna come and see the Matrix 2?”

“Oh, Xander and I are already going, with Riley and Anya”

“Ok, well, meet up with us first, I’ve just agreed to going with Parker, he just phoned me, he knows William will be there, but I thought if there’s a crowd of us, it’ll seem less of a date, and William won’t feel like a gooseberry, were going for something to eat first, what do you say?”

“Um, Xander’s nodding…I’ll have to phone Riley and Anya, I’ll ring you back in 5, ok”

“Sure”

Buffy went into the kitchen and made coffee, the phone rang and Willow said it was fine; they made arrangements to meet at The Food Gallery at 8.15pm.

She took the coffee upstairs.

“That wasn’t who I think it was, was it?”

“No, it wasn’t Angel, it was Parker………” Buffy explained everything.

“Sure you don’t mind?” Buffy asked.

“Course not, I’d have been tempted to bail if it had been just us three.”

“That’s what I thought, and I don’t want Parker thinking it was a date, really”

“Why didn’t you just refuse?”

“I keep doing that, he’s a nice bloke…I’m a bit worried now, though”

“Why? - You think you’ve given him hope – of dating you properly, I mean?”

“No, it’s not that…I was going to tell him tonight, that I won’t date him as I’m moving away in a couple of months, so you know, best not to start anything. No, I’m worried about Angel, if he gets wind of it, what he might do to Parker,”

“Well…look at it this way, he’s still asked you out, even after what Angel did on Tuesday, and you can’t be held responsible for Angel’s actions, you’ve got your own life to lead.” William had draped his arm around her shoulder’s.

There was a soft knock at the door.

“Yeah? – Come in mom”

“Just wanted to check if you two will be wanting dinner tonight, I’m just going to do the veg” Joyce said.

“No, were going out to eat before the movie. That was Parker on the phone, he’s coming with us”

“A date?” Joyce smiled.

“Not really, there’s a gang of us going, and it’s pointless me dating him, I’ll be gone in a couple of months. Oh, we’ve decided to fly on the 24th, that’s the prom Saturday, we can have a full week of looking around, Will can register and we can be home by the 31st, in time to go to Florida with you on the 2nd”

“So, you’re coming to Florida with us!” Joyce grinned.

“Of course, like dad’s boss offer’s him his Miami beach house every week!” Joyce smiled.

“Ok then, your dad should be home at six, you can tell him then, and get your flight booked.”
As it happened, Hank was delayed, and was just pulling up on the drive as they were leaving, but Buffy had given her mom all the details, and Joyce said she’d sort it with him.

They got to Parker’s house; he had on brand new training pants and a zip up top over a tee shirt.

“Sorry about the pant’s, I um, I can’t wear jeans at the moment…too tight, the bruising, you know” Buffy and William winced, said they understood, and he looked fine.

“We’re meeting Willow and Xander, and Riley and Anya too, I hope you don’t mind”

“Um, no, course not” he felt little disappointed, but hey, he was still with her. Buffy decided to come clean in the car on the way to the Food Gallery.

“………So, it isn’t that I don’t like you or anything, it’s just that, well it’s silly to start something when I’ll be moving to New England, although we haven’t told anybody else yet, so if you’d just keep it to yourself, I haven’t even told Willow yet.

We might be having a party or just go to the Bronze or something, before we go, and I hope you’ll come”

“Sure, try keeping me away!” he grinned, although he felt like dying, he felt so disappointed, but, in another way, he was happy she’d told him, stop him falling for her too hard…huh, like he hadn’t already…


**

“I want Chinese” Willow said.

“I want Mexican” Xander said. That was the beauty of the Food Gallery; there was ten counters, each doing something different.

There was Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Burgers and Hot Dogs, Fish and Seafood, Vegetarian, Steaks and Chicken, A New York style Deli that did huge sandwiches and cakes, and a Jacket potatoes place.

“What are you going to have, Buffy?” Parker asked.

“Oh, William and I usually share a pizza”

“Oh. I was going to have pizza.” Parker said, really he fancied a Deli sandwich.

“Um, you go ahead, I think I’m going to have some ribs from the steak and chicken place, for a change” William said. Buffy smiled at him.

Riley and Anya had bought Riley’s older sister, Jenny along, she was pleasant enough, and no pressure was put on William to pair up with her, as she’d already got a boyfriend, he couldn’t come as he was working.

By sheer coincidence, Jenny’s boyfriend worked for Parker’s father’s company. Every one sat and ate their food.

“How can you eat that without a knife and fork!” Jenny asked as Anya sat down with a sandwich as tall as a skyscraper!

At 9.15, they went downstairs to queue for the movie. And who should be in the queue, albeit a little way behind them, but Marco, his brother Carl, and Taylor.

“Hey, look, look who’s up front!” Marco elbowed Taylor in the ribs.

“Who? – Oh yeah, that fucking lame brain Xander and his bird, what’s her name, thingy”

“Are they? – Oh yeah, no, I’m not on about them…oh, he’s there too.” Marco was craning his neck.

“WHO?” Taylor asked, exasperated.

“Parker Abrahams and Buffy Summers, but her brother’s there too”

“What…oh yeah, I think that that Parker’s with that dark haired bird though, Riley’s there too with that weirdo chick”

“You gonna tell Angel?” Taylor asked.

“Huh, am I fuck, did you see what he did to Ged in the canteen? – Oh no, course, it was the day you were in court. He pinched a sausage off the hot plate, and Ged called Angel a wanker or something, and Angel pushes the sausage down Ged’s collar and squeezes, so all the hot grease burnt his back”
Taylor’s eyebrows rose up.

“He goes too far sometimes, what exactly did he do to Parker then, it couldn’t have been a fight, else he’d have been suspended for longer”

“Parker was lying down under the tree in the quad, next to Buffy, she goes off, oh, Angel had been talking to her, and when she’s gone, Parker still lies there, and Angel just sort of walks on him, stomping him on the balls”

“OW!” Taylor grimaced. They heard a two-tone horn blow, and looked up to see Angel driving passed, staring at Buffy and co. Luckily at the time, Parker was talking to Jenny, and Buffy was standing next to William.

Angel shouted and gesticulated wildly at Taylor and Marco, pointing to his eye, then at the crowd. He had to stomp on his brakes, he nearly rear-ended a bus.

“Shit, fucking mad man, he wants us to watch Buffy and that.” Marco said. The queue started moving, and they all went inside. The cinema was full, as Angel found out after not being able to find a parking space.

He’d double-parked before now, and got towed away, and couldn’t afford that again. He swore when he saw the ‘House Full’ sign at the top of the steps. Still, at least he had two of his mates who would tell him the details. Least ways, they’d fucking better, if they knew what was good for them.

“I’m not going to spend $10 to watch Parker and Buffy and her cronies all night, I want to watch the movie!” Marco said.

“Look, I don’t think he was with Buffy, I think he’s with that dark haired bird I’ve never seen before, and that’s what we’ll tell Angel. Buffy sat with her brother, and that Xander’s girl.”

“Willow”

“Yeah, Willow, that’s it. Ok, we agreed? Tell him that Parker sat next to a dark haired bird, got his arm round her and everything, ok - I want to keep my bollocks intact.”

“Ok, agreed, man, he sure is gone on that Buffy though.”

“Can you blame him? – I mean, man she’s hot!”



At five to eleven, the gang came out of the cinema, and William had offered Jenny a lift home as she lived just round the corner from Parker.

Angel saw them coming towards their car, and stubbed out his cigarette. He breathed a sigh of relief, Parker wasn’t with Buffy after all, he was with that dark haired bird, still, he’d ask Taylor and Marco.

“Buffy…look” William touched her hand, and nodded subtly to the exit. Buffy just saw the taillights of the black Plymouth as the car screeched out of the car park.

Once all the cars had gone from the eight o’clock house showing, Angel had driven around until he’d spotted the car they used, (Joyce’s), he’d parked up and sat it out, waiting.

They dropped Jenny, then Parker, who gave Buffy a kiss on the cheek.

“With any luck, Angel will think that Jenny was Parker’s date” William said.

“Good job they bought her then. She was nice” Buffy said.

“So, when are you going to tell Willow that you’re coming with me to NE?”

“Well, I was wondering that myself. I don’t want to leave it until the party, and as I’ve already told Parker…”

“There’s always a chance of it getting out, the more people that know, the more likely it is that it WILL come out…how about…let me think, we go on the 24th, day of the prom, and come back on the 31st, we go to Florida on the 2nd, so, how about if we see her on the 1st, we can ask how the prom went, tell her then, and it’ll seem like the idea came to us while we were in New England, Parker won’t say anything different, not if you ask him.”

“Yeah, ok.” They pulled up on the driveway.

Joyce was just going to bed.

“I was just going to leave you a note, dad’s booked your flight via the internet, you fly on the 24th, at 10.25am flight from SunX, tickets will be through in a couple of days, but you’ll have to come back on the Friday evening, the 30th, all the flight’s for the 31st are fully booked.”

“Great, night mom”

“Night…oh, there’s some cold chicken in the fridge if you’re hungry”

“Thanks” Buffy said. Joyce went to bed.

“Want some?”

“No ta, full of ribs and pop corn still!” William said.

“Hmm, and me, go a hot chocolate though.”

**

“You sure?” Angel pumped them.

“Positive, look, Buffy sat by her brother the one side and thingy the other” Taylor said.

“Thingy?” Angel looked at him.

“Willow, he means Willow. And Parker had his arm round some dark haired bird I’ve never seen before” Marco added.

Angel grinned.

“Yeah, I saw them when they came out, ok, thanks, see ya!” Angel said, got in his car and drove off.
Marco blew his cheeks out, they both watched Angel drive off happy.

“Did he just thank us?” Taylor asked, incredulously, brow’s raised, then added,

“I better go, I’m supposed to be grounded coz of this court thing remember, and I don’t know what time mom and Chad will be back from this reception thingy they’ve gone to…what’s the time now?” Taylor asked

“Ten to midnight. So, who grounded you?”

“My mom, on dad’s insistence, Chad said he thought I’d had my punishment, but mom said she’d better follow dad’s wishes.”

“But your dad lives in Ohio, not a lot he can do about it” Marco reasoned.

“Hey, isn’t that their car, just turning into the road?”

“What? Shit, I’ll see ya, bye” Taylor took off and ran round the back of the house, let himself in, throwing his clothes off and diving into bed, putting on the TV just as he saw the lights of the car pull onto the drive. Five minutes later, Taylor’s mother stood by his bed, Chad stood in the doorway.

“How’s the headache son? I told your mom when I phoned you at 9.30, you said you’d got a headache” Chad said, obviously covering for him being checked up on.

“Oh, gone now, thanks, took some Advil” Taylor said understanding what must have happened.

“Hmm, poor baby! – Night-night!” His mom was a little drunk, she kissed his cheek sloppily, and swayed out of the door, and went into the bathroom.

“Where did you go?” Chad asked

“Just the movies, didn’t get into any bother”

“Ok…I knew you’d skip off out, that’s why I said I’d phone, made up the headache bit like I’d spoken to you, she’d have told your dad otherwise.”

“Yeah, um…you know, thanks”

“Just keep on behaving, right?”

“Yeah…night, Chad” Taylor turned the TV down. As far as step-dads went, Chad was all right. A hell of a lot nicer than his real dad, anyway.
Chapter 15 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 15



“Have you got all the literature from the property people?”

“Yes mom” Buffy said

“Got your tickets?”

“In my wallet, got both mine and Buffy’s”

“Now, the hotel said that they haven’t got two singles, so I booked a double room with two single beds, I did tell you”

“Yes mom” Buffy said again.
Buffy was just putting some folded tee shirts into her case.

“Do you think I’ll need my hairdryer?”

“No, they have them in the hotel room”

“Oh, ok. Do they have robes, or shall I take mine?”

“Take yours, even if they do have robes, you don’t know who’s worn it before” William said.

“True…oh! Won’t fit…any room in your case?” Buffy grinned at her brother.

“Buffy, William’s case is half full of your stuff already…What do you need this for?” Joyce asked, pulling out Buffy’s best cocktail dress.

“In case we go out…ok, I’ll leave it!” She threw it on the bed.

“Look at her, $300 dress and she throws it!” Joyce shook her head, exasperated, grabbing a hanger.

“You won’t need these either, or this, Buffy, you’re property hunting!” Joyce took out diamante sandals and her fake fur jacket.

“See, you’ve got plenty of room now, you can have some stuff out of William’s case”

“It’s ok mom, it’s all done up now with the labels on…but you can take these for me, if you would” Will handed her a pair of black trousers.

Saturday, the 24th July, Sunnydale airport coffee shop.

“Now, phone us every night, won’t you” Joyce fussed.

“We will mom, don’t worry” William said.

“Come on, they’ll be calling the flight soon” All four of them stood up. They’d checked in and had gone for a coffee while waiting for their flight to be called. They were on the escalator going to the departure lounge, when they heard their flight being called.

“Will passengers for American Airlines flight 362 to New England please go to gate 14, where your flight will be boarding shortly”

“That’s us!” Buffy said grinning.

“Now, you’re sure you’ve got your tickets?”

“Mom! You asked us that about a thousand times!” Buffy said. They stepped off the escalator and made their way to gate 14. There were only four people in front of them. Joyce fussed and kissed them both.

“Remember to phone, and look after one another”

“We will”

“And don’t go looking at anywhere on your own, always have William with you”

“No mom…I mean, yes mom” Buffy said, rolling her eyes, smiling.

“You will be alright, won’t you?”

“Of course we will, I promise to look after her, and we’ll phone you as soon as we get there and checked into the hotel, the Holiday Inn, a double room with two single beds” William said calmly. Joyce’s shoulder’s relaxed.

“I’m fussing, aren’t I? I know you’ll look after her, you always have done”

“And you look after William” Hank said to Buffy

“I will dad” Buffy said, giving him a hug.
The gate opened.

“Please have your tickets and boarding cards at the ready” The stewardess announced.

“Bye mom, dad!” They both said. Hank heard Buffy say to William,

“Promise to hold my hand when we take off?”

I promise” William said, handing both tickets to the lady behind the desk.

“They will be alright, won’t they Hank?” he put his arm around his anxious wife.

“Do you think one of us should have gone with them, William’s only just eighteen”

“Joyce, they’ll be fine, besides which, when they go for real in September, we can’t be with them then. And they’re devoted, you know that, no harm will come to them. Come on, I’ll treat you in Macy’s” Hank led his wife out of the airport departure lounge.

“It’ll be awfully strange with them both gone…” Joyce said.

“Yes, but think of it this way, William won’t be on his own, and neither will Buffy, and she’ll be away from that awful Angel lad that keeps pursuing her, why hasn’t she told him she’s leaving?” Hank asked.

“Don’t know…she said they had their reasons, they’ll have a party before they go, tell everyone then I suppose” Joyce said.

“Well, I suppose they know what they’re doing” Hank pulled off the carpark.

It was early evening when they landed, and they got a taxi to the hotel no problem. They checked in, and Hank had already Emailed his credit card details on, so they just filled out two forms, which they were required to do, and got their key card.

The room was light and bright, fresh looking.

“Wow…this is great! – Which one do you want?” Buffy pointed to the beds.
William shrugged, grinning.

“Don’t mind” Buffy opened the door off the room.

“Will, come and look at this!” There was a big bath, a big walk-in shower, and a large vanity mirror surrounded by lights. It was all white with gold trimmings.

“I’ll feel like a film star with all these lights!”

“Do you want dinner here, or shall we go out and find somewhere?”

“Ooh, can we go out?”

“Ok…I’ve got a street map so we don’t get lost”

After a quick shower apiece, and a phonecall home, they went out.

“Here looks nice, what do you reckon?” Buffy said, just going on appearance. William perused the menu. Chicken, steaks, ribs, burgers, all the usual barbecue stuff.

“Ok, great, I really enjoyed those ribs I had a few weeks back, when we went to see the Matrix 2, remember?” Buffy smiled and nodded as they pushed open the door.

They walked into Mick’s Barbecue Shack. The place was quite busy.

“Hi, can I get you a table?” a friendly waitress gave them a big smile

“Please”

After a couple of minutes, they were seated, and given menus. Complimentary bread and salad was put on the table, and they were asked what they wanted to drink. They ordered a jug of iced citrus crush.

“Hmm…smells good, I’m starving!” Buffy said, looking at the menu card. What you had to do was either order something ready cooked, or you could go and choose something from the big refrigerated cabinet, such as a steak, or a whole fish or giant prawns, or seasoned ribs, and they’d cook it for you.

“Ooh, I’m too hungry to wait…I’ll have…the small mixed plate I think, with a side of peppers, onions and mushrooms, and some wedges” Buffy said.

“What’s the mixed plate?” William asked. Buffy pointed it out on the card.

“Oh yeah…Chicken, burger, sausage, steak and pork chop, all seasoned with our special herbs and spice mixture, or you can choose your own, from Cajun, Hickory smoke, sweet tomato, hot ‘n’ spicy, Chinese style or garlic and herb. Hmm…I think I’m going to be greedy and have a steak…yeah, Hickory smoked steak with jumbo fries, I can pinch some of your onions, can’t I?”

The food was superb. There was loads, but they ate it all up, basically because the airline meal had been inedible, in fact, they never did find out what it was supposed to be. As soon as the table was cleared, a waitress bought them a dessert card over, showing photos of huge desserts mostly consisting of ice cream, cream, chocolate and fruit.

“Oh gods, I couldn’t! I’m stuffed!” William said.

“Me too!”

“Coffee?”

“Nu-uh, this crush stuff was lovely” Buffy said shaking her head, draining her glass.

“Just the bill then please” William said to the waitress.

“Hmm, not bad at all, considering all we’ve eaten!”

“How much?”

“$30 Shall we go?”

“Yup, lets go for a walk, try and walk off some of these calories!” Buffy patted her full stomach. For one so small, she could certainly pack it away at times!

“Oh, wow…so that’s Harvard!” Buffy said, looking at the building from the gates.

“Yup.”

“Don’t you find it…I don’t know, a bit…well, daunting?” Buffy looked at William.

“Suppose…it won’t be so bad, not now I know you’re here with me, I won’t feel so alone”

“You mean, you’d have come here and stuck it out, even if you’d hated it, just so mom and dad could be proud?”
William looked pained.

“I don’t want you to think I think that they’re shallow, but, I don’t know, if I’d decided not to come, or failed, despite what they said, which I do believe, I’d felt like I was letting them down”

“Yeah, I know. Whereas, well, I have let them down, just scraping through my finals – thanks to you I passed at all!”

“You haven’t let them down!”

“What about Angel?”

“What about him?”

“Well, you didn’t bring trouble to them…you know”

“What, get pregnant, you mean?”

William just nodded; he couldn’t bear the thought of Buffy being intimate. Definitely not with the likes of Angel Stebson, anyway.

“I’d have had to have had sex with him for that…that’s why we split, coz I wouldn’t” Buffy said.

William let out an audible sigh, which he tried to cover with a yawn. They’d begun to walk along the road, slowly, Buffy holding William’s arm.

William felt like turning cartwheels, he was overjoyed. At first he thought that she had, and because he’d got what he’d wanted, dumped her.

But then as he hadn’t done any bragging like he had about Cordelia, and as Angel was still pursuing Buffy, William should have realised the opposite was true.

“Gods, I can’t believe I went out with him!”

“Neither can I…I blame those tight jeans of yours, cutting off the circulation!” William said to her, smiling. Buffy rolled her eyes and grinned herself.

“Suppose he’s going to be an even bigger problem now he comes from a ‘broken home’ and has got an ‘excuse’ for all his bad behaviour” Buffy said.

“Oh yeah, somebody was going to tell me, what happened then?”

“Well, while his mother worked nights at Wal-Mart, and his dad had a girlfriend at the house…well, remember there was that big fire, and all the workers got sent home, well, as his dad was in bed with said girlfriend instead of watching the news, she came home and caught him, red handed. And red faced, I’ll bet”

“His dad never worked, did he?”

“Nah, something to do with his back, said he got injured in Vietnam or Korea or something, Willow’s dad says he got injured stealing big containers of food that were going to be sent out to the soldiers, that was as close as he got to war”

“I suppose he’ll end up a waster just like his father” William said.

“Yeah. What DID I see in him? – Gods, I was so stupid! – No wonder mom and dad were at their wits end with me” Buffy shook her head disbelievingly.

“Well, you saw sense and came good before any damage was done. I just pity Cordelia in a way, I mean, she can act as high-and-mighty as she wants, but she’ll have to live with the fact that she let that slime ball take something very precious, and there’s no going back from that. Unless she goes to China!” William said, laughing.

“What, why China?”

“Didn’t I tell you? Do you know Kenny Hong? – That computer whiz kid, he showed us a website, and it’s genuine, for girls in China, when they get married, or start serious relationships, they are expected to be virgins, and they can go and have this operation that supposedly reattaches the hymen or something, so they can be classed as a virgin again, technically it feels right on the wedding night, but they must have the operation done within three weeks, of being ‘deflowered’ again, because they use ‘melting’ stitches, cost’s something ridiculous, like $70HK, so even office girls and the like can afford to have it done!”

“NO!”

“Honestly, cross my heart!”

“Bloody hell, what will they think of next!”

“Oh, hey, look…”

“What?” William asked.”

“Down here, towards the park…I remember seeing the name on one of those property pages the estate agents sent us…come on” They crossed over the road and walked on towards the park.

“Heathfield, that’s it”

“Oh yes, I remember…two bed roomed flats, with concierge, parking and small garden at rear”

“Can you remember how much?”

“$600 a month, I think”

“Hmm…can we afford that?”

“You’d have to work at least part time, to feed us! About $525 is our maximum really. I could get a job in the evenings I suppose too, I wouldn’t let-

“No, I’m here with you, and I’ll do my share, you’ll need to study in the evenings. I don’t mind working…it’ll be fun!”

“You going to register for school, coz it’s sort of why mom and dad are letting you come”

“Don’t worry. Let’s get somewhere to live first, see how much it costs, see what sort of money I can earn and the hours I’m doing, and then we can think about school. Mom and dad won’t stop me coming here…else I’ll take up with Angel again”

“You wouldn’t!” William quickly whipped his head round to look at her, serious faced.

“Well……… no, I wouldn’t, but I’d play up merry hell, and let them think I was!” She said it seriously, then a slow smile crept across her face.

“Minx!” William squeezed her hand in the crook of his arm.

“Oh look…ducks!” They walked through the park gates, and went to the little boating lake. The ducks quaked and waddled up to the edge where they stood. William squatted down and said,

“Sorry Donald, didn’t know you were here, mate, else I’d have bought you some bread!” As they weren’t being fed, the ducks soon lost interest and swam away, diving into the water so their rear ends stuck up in the air. They both laughed.
Buffy yawned.

“Come on, let’s get back to the hotel, shall we? – We could come down here tomorrow, what do you say?”

“Great, we can bring some bread for our new friends!”

“Friends! That one showed me his bum as I didn’t feed him!” William said, making Buffy giggle.

*****


“This is luxury…can we live here?” Buffy asked, sighing, lying on the bed watching TV.

“Er, no, it’s already cost dad $600 for the week for us two to stay here”

“$100 a day! Wow!” Buffy went round-eyed

“Mom said it was lucky that dad’s boss was lending him his beach house, else we wouldn’t be having such a fancy holiday this year”

“Ooh, sipping cocktails by the pool, lying on Miami beach…I’d better not pig out again like I did tonight, else nothing will fit me, and I want to look good on the beach!”

“You’ll look great, you always do”

“Ah, aren’t you the sweetest thing! Will you fight off all the tanned gods that’ll be swarming around? – I wish”

“Sure, dad and I will imprison you behind screens so no one can set eyes on you!”

“That reminds me…must get a bikini wax done” Buffy said. William went red. Buffy smiled, but said nothing.

**


“Hmm, yum, yum, yum!” Buffy screwed up her eyes grinning, smacking her lips.

“Er, s’cuse me, what happened to the ‘I’d-better-not-pig-out-any-more-this week-else-nothing-will-fit-me’ statement, from last night?”

William sat down opposite Buffy. On her plate from the ‘help yourself’ breakfast counter, Buffy had; three rashers of bacon, three link sausages, two grilled fresh tomatoes, a large portion of fresh mushrooms, hash browns, and two fried eggs. She’d also got toast, a roll and butter, honey, jam and marmalade, orange juice and tea. William had two rashers, one egg, two sausages and some toast, and tea. He also had juice.

“Couldn’t resist, as it’s all paid for!” She said grinning, putting a forkful into her mouth.

“Anyway, I can always go for a jog around the park later!”

“Shyeah, right, you exercise!” William scoffed. They both giggled.

“I’ve been looking at these, (William waved three pieces of paper from the real estate offices) these three places are open on Sundays, I thought we could go and have a look. Even If we can’t see the vacant places today, we can perhaps make an appointment”

“Great…hmm, want more juice?”

“Um, can we?” William looked around at the other diners.

“Yeah! That bloke by the door has already been up twice for breakfast, three times for juice and twice for rolls!”

“Not that you’re counting! Oh, ok then” Buffy jumped up, went over to the jug, refilled both glasses, slipping another two bread rolls into her pocket.

“What, still hungry!” Will asked incredulously.

“No, they’re for the ducks”

“Oh, wonder if they’ll eat toast, I’ve had enough”

“We can try…wrap it in a napkin…that’s it.”

“So, let’s go up, get our coats, go out and then we can see if we want lunch, we could go for a swim this afternoon, or, you could go in the solarium, start on your tan before the holiday”

“What a brilliant idea!” Buffy grinned. They went up.



*************

Later that morning

“Geez, I don’t know how I kept my face straight!” Buffy said, as they came outside after looking at one of the flats.

“Luxury? – if that was luxury, I’d hate to see what their definition of a dump is!”

“Never mind, come on…4 more to look at…”




*********

“Don’t get depressed, we’ll find somewhere, it’s only day one” William said as Buffy flopped dejectedly onto her bed back at the hotel.

“I know, but some of the definitions of luxury…luxury for what, cockroaches? Ew! You could smell them at the last place…yuk!” Buffy shivered.

“Yes well, you certainly told the agent that!” William said, smiling.

“Did I go over the top?” Buffy asked, biting her bottom lip.

“No, you were quite right, it wasn’t fit for pigs. And if it was a teacher who lived there before, then boy, he had something to learn about cleanliness!”

“You should have seen her face when you asked if it was a bacteriologist growing cultures for experiments!” Buffy said grinning

“Want lunch?”

“Nah, you?”

“No. Fancy a swim though”

“Ok, swimming is good exercise” Buffy sat up, took her coat off.

“As long as you swim, not stand about in the shallow end, posing!” William said, grinning. Buffy pulled her tongue out to him.


“Race you!” William poised ready to take off.

“Ok…but”

“But what?” He stood down.

“Only if I can … cheat!” Buffy ‘ducked’ William under the water, and took off in a fast front crawl. Surfacing, William exhaled, coughed, cleared water from his eyes, and wiped his dripping face, saw how far ahead she was getting, and took off after her. Buffy just about beat him, her hand reaching the edge seconds before his.

“Ha, I win!”

“Cheat”

“So, I said I’d cheat!”

“You going to fry yourself in the solarium now?” William asked.

“No, you’ve got to book apparently, and it’s fully booked for today”

“Ok then, what do you want to do?”

“Go for a walk, feed the ducks?”

“Ok…last one out’s a fat Muppet!” William ducked her and hauled himself up out of the water. Buffy surfaced, spluttering, vowing revenge.



******

As soon as the ducks had eaten all the bread they had on offer, they swam away.

“Bye then…keep in touch!” William said.

“Greedy lot! That brown one nearly had my finger off! – Ooh look, ice cream!” Buffy said, standing up from squatting at the edge of the lake, dusting her hands off. They noticed a small kiosk selling ‘Real Italian Ice Cream’, and as they’d skipped lunch, bought themselves one each. They sat on the bench.

“You do realise, all the good you did swimming, will now be rendered null and void, there’s about sixty squillion calories in this stuff!” William said, grinning. Buffy glanced at him, said nothing, and without looking at him directly, she waited until he raised the cone to his mouth, and elbowed his arm so the ice cream went all over his nose and chin.

Buffy turned and looked at him, burst out laughing! She couldn’t stop, and dissolved into an undignified rolling about in hysterics on the bench. William sat there covered in it. Every time she stopped laughing and went to say something, she collapsed again. With a face still covered, William smirked, and quickly dived on her, pushing his cone onto her nose, and on her cheek. Buffy shrieked!

“There! How do you like it!” While they were play fighting, a dog came up and pinched Buffy’s cone out of her hand!

“Hey. Stop thief!”

“A little old lady came up to them.

“I’m sorry my dear…oh” She could see that they looked like a couple of kids, their face’s covered in ice cream, and hurried away.

“S’ok, don’t worry” Buffy said, to the rapidly retreating figure. Trying to hide her face.

Eventually, they calmed down, she fished about in her pocket for a tissue. But still sticky they went into the toilets and had a quick wash. As there was no paper towels, Buffy dried her face on another tissue. When she got out, William was waiting for her. She held his arm.

“Fat Muppet!” William said, grinning

“Idiot ice cream buyer!”

“Moronic bread roll stealer”

“Er…let me think…ah, silly rib muncher”

“I don’t munch ribs!”

“You did, last night!”

“I eat the meat off the ribs, not the ribs themselves” William stuck his tongue out to her.

“Well…I’m not a fat Muppet”

“Ok, not a fat one…but you look like one………”

“You say Miss Piggy, and you’re SO dead!” They were both giggling.

“Don’t be daft…you’re not that pretty…no, I was going to say…Animal!” He took off running, with Buffy in hot pursuit after him.

With the hotel in sight, and William quite well ahead, he walked up the steps. Buffy slowed to a more sedate trot, and went in.

She saw the lift going up, and thought it was William, so she waited for the other one. William hid behind the large potted plant. The lift ‘dinged’ and the doors slid open. Buffy emerged on her own, William jumped out with a

“Wah!” Buffy shrieked, and giggling they went into their room. She flopped on William’s bed.

“Oh gods, I ache from laughing!”

“Been fun though…acting like a couple of kids!”

“Shall we phone home?”

“Yeah…oh, hold on though, what’s the time there, don’t want make the same mistake as last night!”

“No, no, to be fair, we did promise to phone them as soon as we got here” William said.

“Mind if I have a shower first?”

“Course not, you dirty little girl!” Grinning, Buffy went into the bathroom. She got undressed, went to get into the shower, and screamed, grabbed a towel, draped it in front of her.

“Will-yum!”
Without a second’s hesitation, William dived into the bathroom.

“What – Are you ok?” He looked panic stricken, looking around for armed terrorists the way she’d screamed for him.

“Sp-spider!” She stammered, barely above a whisper, looking scared to death.

“What – oh…where?” His shoulder’s relaxed and he exhaled loudly.

“In there!” She pointed, and backed away from the shower cubical. He opened the door, scanned the walls and saw it crawling towards the plughole it wasn’t very big either.

“Um…pass me one of those glasses, please?” William held his hand out. Buffy threw her toothbrush in the washbasin and shakily handed him the glass.

“Ok…sorry about this mate…but it’s the price you pay for frightening my little sister…” Carefully he slipped the glass over the creature.

“Have you got it – have you, ooh, um, don’t kill it!?” Buffy asked backing right up to the vanity unit, standing first on one leg, then the other, drawing her knee upwards, all huddled up and grimacing.

“Just get something to slip underneath so I can put it out of the window…” William went out and came back with a flyer for an estate agent. Bending down, he slipped the paper under the glass, picked it up.

“Come on then…walkies…ok I’ve got it, you can carry on now”

“Thankyou” Buffy said shakily.

She decided against a shower, and to have a bath instead. William had just made himself a drink with the complimentary tea and coffee sachet’s, when there was a knock at the door. Frowning, he got up and opened it.

“Ah, good afternoon, sir, um, is everything all right? – We had somebody say they heard a loud scream”

“Oh, sorry, yes, that was my sister, there was a spider in the shower cubical, she’s petrified I’m afraid…I had to remove it…you know…the old paper and glass trick” William indicated the glass and paper on the table.

“Very good, sir, I’m sorry to have troubled you!”

“That’s ok…Bye”

“Good afternoon sir” William closed the door. Buffy stuck her head out of the bathroom door.

“Everything ok?”

“They heard you scream!” William said grinning.

“What? - I didn’t scream that loud! ………Did I?” She slightly opened the door a little with indignance, and then remembered that she was naked.

“Whoops!” She closed it back round her neck again.

“That’s right, I’ve already seen enough of you naked today” William said, grinning.

“What, when?” Buffy asked, surprised.

“Just, you Muppet! You had the towel held to your front…but you were standing in front of the mirror! I could see you totally from behind! You should see your bum…Like a great big white moon it was…you might want to get it waxed when they do your bikini line!” He started to giggle Buffy had gone very red!

“You wait, I’ll get you back you ………ooh!” She closed the door.
William opened it just a crack and said,

“Want Mr. Spidey to come and play in the bath with you?”

“I’ll scream again twice as loud!” Buffy threatened, but she had a giggle in her voice. William put on a wicked ‘Hehehehe’ laugh, and closed the door. She didn’t even lock it; she knew he’d never do anything like that to frighten her.

William was dozing when she came out of the bathroom. She thought about walloping him on the head with her pillow, but he looked peaceful, and wouldn’t wake him.

He’d made her a drink, and put it on the cabinet for her with the saucer on top to keep it hot. She lay on her bed, reading, soon dozed off herself. She woke when she heard the bathroom door shut quietly. She’d dozed for about 40 minutes. She heard the shower go on, and she put the news on the TV. William opened the bathroom door dressed only in his briefs, and took his watch off and put it on the nightstand by his bed, he stopped, with his hand on the bathroom door, and said,

“Think we better eat in tonight, prove to everyone I didn’t murder you earlier when you screamed!”

“Sure…hey”

“What?” Buffy reached out and ‘twanged’ the elastic of his briefs.

“Ow!”

“How, all I did was this!”

“Ah-ah, like I’d fall for that!” William arched his hips away from her, and went for his shower. She put some makeup on, and made them both another drink.

He must have taken his clothes in there with him, as he came out of the bathroom fully dressed.

“Those new?” Buffy squinted at his black trousers.

“What these? – No, bought them in the sale just after Christmas, wore them to Aunt Susan’s 50th.”

“I hate that bitch!”

“Buffy”

“Well, I do, and you should too, never let’s you forget you’re adopted…has to keep on bringing it up…mentions it at every opportunity, for any reason.

Drives dad and mom up the wall, and me, come to that!”

“I know. It bother’s everyone else far more than it bothers me”

“Dad said he’d tell her to put a bag over her head if she kept on”

“Actually…mom did, she said to her, ‘I’ve just stopped Hank from telling you to put a bag on your head, but I wish I hadn’t!”

“She thought I didn’t hear…I pretended I hadn’t…still, I got my own back”

“How?”

“Don’t you remember, when the announcement was put in the paper wishing her ‘A Very Happy Birthday’, I said she was 60th!” Buffy snorted a giggle.

“Did you?”

“Yes…and I told mom and dad”

“What did they say?”

“After they stopped laughing? Just, oh good, and bought half a dozen copies each!”

“I never knew that!” Buffy said.

“Well, you had other um…’things’ on your mind, if you remember.” Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Don’t remind me…gods, I was such a brat about him!”

“Yes, well…let’s draw a veil over that, shall we?”

“We eating in tonight?”

“Can do…are we posh enough, the restaurant looks a bit swanky…” Buffy said.

“There’s the Café Bar, I don’t want to spend too much of dad’s money”

“Ok, great!” Buffy said.

“Besides which, they wouldn’t let you into the restaurant, you haven’t had your bum waxed yet!” William said, then added,

“OW!” As an expertly aimed elbow caught him straight in the ribs.

“Oh yes, thankyou for reminding me!”
Chapter 16 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 16


“What’s a Long Island iced tea?”

“Alcohol, choose again” William said, without looking up.

“Oh…that citrus crush we had last night was lovely”

“They do something similar…there, look, under ‘non-alcoholic cocktails’, bit pricey though”

“A blend of Florida Orange, Pink Grapefruit, lemon and lime juice, made sparkling with soda water if required. $10 per jug, still, $12 sparkling – Geez, that much bought you half a cow last night!” She then continued…

“Jeez, $20 for a Burrito!”

“Uh huh…It’s $24 for lasagne and salad…shall we go out instead?”

“Yeah…come on, it’s a rip off here!” They left the Café Bar, and went out into the night. They had a walk around, found a nice looking little Chinese restaurant in a side street that was quite full of studenty looking types. William looked at the menu.

“Hmm, seems very reasonable, shall we?”

“Ooh yeah…I can hear the chicken with ginger and green onions calling me already!” Buffy pushed open the door. An elderly Oriental bowed and showed them a table for two.

“So…you want chicken with Ginger and green onion?”

“Hmm…don’t know now, it all looks nice…ooh, what’s that?” Buffy asked a passing waiter carrying a sizzling platter. He deposited the food in front of some customers then came back to their table.

“That was sizzling Szechwan beef, miss” he bowed and went about his job.

“How about if we have the set meal, for two, the second one?” William said.

“Let me see…Chicken with straw mushrooms and onions, beef in black bean sauce, barbecue ribs (4) sweet and sour king prawn, Egg fried or plain rice, prawn crackers…yeah, ok, great, more choice that way” Buffy nodded. William called a waiter to take their order.

“Which rice?”

“Egg fried” Buffy said.

“Set meal no. 2, with egg fried rice and a pot of jasmine tea for two, please” William said. The waiter wrote this down, bowed and took the menus.

“Oh, I forgot I like that! It’s nice here, not too pricey either, seems popular with the students”
They enjoyed their meal, it came to $20, including tip. Their waiter was young, a student himself. He thanked them and said to come again.

“We will…oh” They opened the door, it was pouring down, and neither of them had bought a coat as they’d thought that they were going to eat in the hotel, and hadn’t bothered to go upstairs to fetch one.

“You sit, wait ‘til the rain stops”

“Thankyou” They sat back down where people waited for the take out.

“Do you go to Harvard?”

“I will be, in September” William said.

“And you?”

“Me, gods no, Will is the brains of the family” Buffy said

“Oh, she not your girlfriend?”


“My sister”

“Very pretty!” Buffy blushed, and chided softly,

“Shut up!” William just grinned.

“I was adopted by her family when I was 5 years old, she fell in love with me at first sight!” William said grinning.

“And she still does, as you love her…you can see it!” The young Chinese man said.

“So, what you study?”

“Computing…languages, AI”

“Me too! You in Bateman College?”

“I will be, yes!” William said, nodding.

“This is good, I make friend before college! Oh sorry…I am Benny Yip” he wiped his hand on his apron, and offered it to William. He shook it and smiled.

“William Campbell-Summers, and this is my sister, Buffy Summers” Benny shook Buffy’s hand too.

“Pleased to meet you!”

“You enjoy meal here?” Benny asked

“Yeah, it was great…lovely ribs, got a thing for them lately!” William said.
Benny nodded.

“My uncles restaurant…”

“Where you from?”

“Sunnydale, in California, but originally I’m from London, England”

“I’ve been to London! – Great city!”

“Yes…haven’t been back now for thirteen years, I moved to Cali when my parents were killed in a car accident. Might take Buffy next year if she wants to go”

“Oh yes!” Buffy nodded enthusiastically. Benny smiled. A couple came in, and Benny said,

“I better go”

“Sure, we understand, nice meeting you”

“And you, see you soon, I hope!”

“You will”


“He seemed nice”

“Yes…stopped raining do you think?” Buffy stood up, looked out into the street.

“Just a light drizzle now, come on, it’s not far” William stood.

“Night then Benny, thanks”

“Night Buffy, night William” they trotted back to the hotel, just in time too, the heavens opened, and a huge streak of lightening lit the sky as bright as day for a fraction of a second, then the loud boom of the thunder seemed to make the walls vibrate.

They went straight up to their room. William knew Buffy didn’t like thunderstorms, when she was young; she used to go flying into William’s bed and hide under the covers.

She went into the bathroom and took off her makeup, the lights suddenly dipped and a huge clap of thunder rent the air. She quickly came out into the main room; she looked a little scared. William went into the bathroom, came out after just going to the loo and washing his hands. Buffy was sitting on her bed.

The lights dipped again, and another clash of thunder. William got into his bed and lay on his side. He reached to switch the lights off, and suddenly there was a loud almost explosion like boom of thunder, and everything went black, all the lights went out, the TV, everything.

“Oh gods!” Buffy said. Outside the lightning flashed, and a commotion could be heard outside in the lobby.

“It’s ok, love…” William got out of bed, went to the door and unlocked it. There was a few people milling about in their pyjamas, the fire exit lights had come on, and somebody was trapped in the lift.

“Um…don’t panic…please everyone, there’s no cause for alarm…” One of the staff said, slightly out of breath from running up the stairs.

“Please try and keep calm…lightening has struck the main electricity station…there is no…(cue huge clap of thunder) ………alarm, please, everybody, return to your rooms, I repeat, lightening has struck the main electricity station, there is no cause for alarm” Somebody said that there was someone trapped in the lift, and the staff said that they had a ‘hand cranking facility so not to worry.

William shut the door. Buffy was standing right next to him.

“Did you hear that?”

“Um, uh huh” William took his robe off and got back into bed. He looked across at Buffy; her face illuminated for the briefest second, she looked scared.

“Buffy”

“Yes?” William said nothing, but lifted the covers, and Buffy gratefully went across and slipped in next to him. Another huge clap of thunder and Buffy sort of shrank in a little closer.

“Will”

“Hmm?”

“Thanks”

“Well, promised to look after you, didn’t I?”

“Yeah”

There was a lot of noise outside in the lobby, somebody shouting ‘help’ to get out of the lift.

Meanwhile, the mother of all storms raged outside.

“Night Will…love you lots and always”

William squeezed her arm gently.

“Night Buffy…I’ll always love you, loads and loads” He said sleepily, and then he turned over, so his back was to her.

He thought it best, there wasn’t a lot of room it being a single bed, and he didn’t want to embarrass himself in the night by waking up with a hard on.

Buffy smiled at what he’d said, and what he’d said earlier, and it was true, it HAD been love at first sight for her, she just knew, even at the tender age of nearly five, she knew she’d always love him.

She too turned over and cuddled his back. She woke at about five thirty, looked at the clock. She got out of bed, went to the bathroom. It was quiet, she ventured over to the window to look out.

Dawn was breaking, and the sky was spectacular, all pinks, purples and oranges, it looked so vivid as to be un-natural.

She turned and went to get back into bed, then thought she’d better go in her own, as the storm was over.

She got into her own bed, shivered at the cold sheets, but soon fell back to sleep. William woke went to turn over, then remembered, just turned his head, saw she was back in her own bed. He lay on his back, thinking.

He could think of a hundred guys who would have loved to have been in his position last night, in bed with Buffy. He just wished with all his heart that things were different. At eight, he got up, tried to put the kettle on, but it didn’t work.

“Oh, terrific!” he muttered quietly to himself, flicking the useless light switch. Seems like the power was still off.

“Power still off?” Buffy asked yawning, propping herself up on one elbow. He came and sat on her bed.

“Yeah, that means, no hot water for tea, no hot water for a shower, and more than likely, no hot breakfast, either!”

“Rats, I was looking forward to my brekkie…I’m always ravenous after a Chinese!”

“Just have to stick with cereal I suppose”

“Or a continental, those croissant thingies or a bread roll”

“If they’ve been able to bake, that is”

“Oh, gods, didn’t think of that…still, it was some storm last night, wasn’t it” Buffy lay back down.

“Sure…hurray!” The lights, TV and clock radio all came on. William stood, turned the lights off, and switched the kettle on. Everything suddenly went off again, and you could hear a loud ‘oh’ from outside in the lobby.

A few seconds later, the TV came on again, and this time it stayed on. William made tea, sat on Buffy’s bed, passed her a mug.

“Thanks for last night, I know I shouldn’t be scared at my age, but…” Buffy looked at William, thinking how many girls would have gladly swapped places with her last night!

“It was rough, worst storm I’ve ever heard, anyway”

“You slept through it!”

“What time did it end?”

Buffy shrugged. Don’t know, I went to the bathroom about half five, it was all quiet then. Thought I’d better get in my own bed…it was cold!” William smiled.

“I woke about quarter past six…I was thinking…” he smiled

“What?” Buffy asked, putting her mug down on the night stand.

“I was thinking there was a hundred blokes who would have gladly swapped places with me last night!”

“Oh yeah? Funnily enough, I was thinking the same about you, there was hundreds, no, thousands of girls who would have swapped with me!” William didn’t smile; he just looked down at the carpet. He finished his tea and stood up.

“Will?”

“Hmm?”

“I haven’t……… upset you, have I, I meant that thousands of girls would be jealous of me being with you”

“I know what you meant,” he said quietly, nodding briefly. He wanted to say how nobody could hold a candle to her, how he wanted her so much…but she was his sister…well, in the eyes of the law she was.

And her mom and dad were his mom and dad…well, in the eyes of the law…he wanted to shout sod the law…

“Shall we go to breakfast?”
Buffy nodded, she knew something was wrong…
Ten minutes later, they went downstairs. The kitchens must have had gas cookers, as there seemed to be a full compliment as regards breakfast items, all except fresh bread rolls, but there was plenty of toast available, so they had that instead.

“What times our first viewing?”

“10 o’clock, Place called Kennedy Heights, little way out though, we’ve got to get a bus.”

“And then?”

“Well, I’ve given us two and a half hours, next appointment is 12.30, then 1.30, but they’re roughly ten minutes away from each other”

Buffy looked at William. The agent beamed at them, leading them in off the miniscule hall. So tiny, that there wasn’t enough room for the three of them!

“And this is the…”

“Broom cupboard?” Buffy ventured

“Second bedroom! – Compact…um, neat…and you also have an inter-connecting door to the other bedroom”

And here we have the bathroom, again, compact…I shall wait in the car for you, you can get a better feel for the place” She bolted out.

“You can’t call this a bathroom, there’s no bath!” There was a small shower cubical, a hand basin and WC, and about a foot square of floor space in between.

“Now I know what a sardine feels like!” William said.

“I swear the Barbie House I’ve got at home is bigger!” Buffy said, then added,

“How much are they asking?”

“Um…hold on…$550 a month” William said, looking at the info sheet.

“For a shoebox? Geez they’re kidding!”

“It’s the location…come on, let’s see if we can bum a lift back into town”

The agent did indeed drop them back in town. It was only ten to eleven.

“Shall we go that way for a change, we haven’t been down there, yet?” William pointed south of the hotel.

“Ok” Buffy agreed. They walked and found some more shops; a music shop, on three levels, it sold instruments too. Next-door was a bookshop, a big notice in the window stated that it bought and sold second-hand college books.

“Hmm, that’s useful to know” William said.

“Oh, look” Buffy said.

“What?”

“It’s thingy…Benny”

“Oh yes!” Benny looked up, saw them through the shop window, he grinned and waved. They decided to wait for him, as he was next to be served.

“Yum, I smell doughnuts,” Buffy said, as they leant on the wall, waiting for Benny to come out.

“There’s a bakery on the end, oh see, it’s a coffee shop too”

“We could grab a cup before our next appointment” Buffy said. Benny came out of the shop, carrying three books.

“Hi!”

“Hello Benny!”

“Bad storm last night, kitchen got flooded!”

“Oh dear…will you be able to open today?”

“Oh yes! All cleaned up now!”

“We were in darkness, Electricity station got hit”

“Ah, yes, we must be another station, we were ok for light.”

“We were just going for a coffee before we and look at the next shoebox, want to come, my treat?” Buffy asked

“I’m sorry, shoebox?” Benny looked puzzled. Until they explained.

“Oh…you not live on campus then”

“No, well, Buffy is going to live with me, so…” William explained. Benny looked thoughtful.

“Will you come – coffee?” Buffy asked. Benny looked at his watch.

“Sure, thankyou, I have half an hour before my shift starts” All three crossed the road and went into the Viennese Coffee House and Bakery.

They made their order, Benny declining a cake.

“I can see me getting sooooooooooooooo fat if I live here!” Buffy said eyeing up a cream and chocolate confection.

“You see Bookshop I was in?” Benny asked. Both William and Buffy nodded.

“It owned by friend of my uncle. Same as this place. During second world war, as they were…um, foreign…aliens, they had to go and sign every week proving their allegiance to the American Government, they all become friends.

There’s Franz, his father is friend of my uncle…Hello Franz”

“Hello Benny! – These your friends?” Benny introduced them. Franz eyes lingered over Buffy.

“So, you’re going to the university?” Franz sat down at their table, throwing an oven cloth over his shoulder.

“Not me, thick as a brick me…my brother is the brainy one”

“You’re not thick!” William said. Buffy ate her cake.

“You like” Franz asked.

“Mmm…I’ll have to be careful, I’ll get fat!”

“So, you have job?”

“Looking, trying to find somewhere to live first” Buffy said.

“I was just going to tell them about the bookshop” Benny said. Franz nodded. William sat forward, stirred his coffee.

“Bookshop?”

“Yes, Carlo doesn’t live above there anymore, I’m sure if we asked him…can’t hurt, I know he not advertise yet”

“You ever served in a shop?” Franz asked Buffy

“Um, I’ve helped in my mother’s gallery, sold pictures and postcards and that” Buffy said.

“Have you ever been a waitress?” Buffy shook her head.

“Would you learn?”

“Why?”

“I would give you job” Franz said. Buffy sat up straight, brows high, smiling.

“You would?” everyone smiled. Buffy grinned and then leaned forward

“Any friend of Benny’s is a friend of mine. You could serve in the bakery side…say 9 o’clock until 11.30, then help serve in here during lunchtimes, then from 2-4.00 back in shop…say, Monday and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday? I close on Wednesday’s, I just clean, and my two nieces help on

Saturdays and Sundays, the coffee shop only on Sundays, I don’t bake”

“Oh, wow! That would be great!”

“How old are you?”

“Seventeen, but I’m eighteen next month”

“Ok, 28 hours a week, at say, $7 an hour…

“Make it $7.50 an hour, and that’s $210 before tax a week!” Benny said.
Buffy would have been happy at $7! Franz smiled.

“You drive hard bargain. Ok, $7.50, but I wouldn’t need you till school starts”

“That’s brilliant –coz I’m not available till then!” Buffy was beaming. She said “Thankyou Benny!” And gave him a kiss on his cheek.

“Oh! Very nice!” Everyone laughed.

“All we have to do now, is to persuade Carlo…”

“Go see him, tell him I give you job, tell him to come and chat with me, I have good bottle of wine!”

“I better go…” Benny finished his coffee.

“You working tonight Benny?” William asked.

“Yes, night off on Wednesday”

“We’ll come see you later, arrange something” Benny nodded and waved goodbye. A very elderly lady called out to Franz from behind the counter.

“Franz…Franz!”

“Excuse me, that’s the crusty rolls cooked, that’s my mother, she is at last retiring at 82, her eyes are getting worse. Say bye before you go”

“We will” Franz went.

“Clever old you!” William squeezed her arm.

“Clever old Benny, you mean! And it would be brilliant if we could persuade this Carlo bloke! It would be so close and handy for both of us!” William’s mobile rang. It was the agent who had shown him the last place, asking if they wanted any more addresses of property.

“Tell her no!” Buffy said.

“Hold on…we better not burn our bridges…William whispered to Buffy, then said, We’ll get back to you either this afternoon or tomorrow and let you know, thankyou, bye”

He looked at his watch. His phone rang again, it was a man called Simon Charles, he was the agent due to show them the place at 12.30, but he was running late.

“Can we make it 1.30pm?”

“Sorry, looking at a place in Woodside then”

“Can we reschedule, I’m very sorry about this”

“Sure, don’t worry, anytime after mid-day tomorrow” William said.

“Great, I’ll get back to you, I need my appointment book and that’s back at the office. I do apologise”

“No problem, thanks for letting us know, bye” William flipped his phone off.

“Next one’s cancelled, until tomorrow”

“Could be a good omen!”’

“About?”

“This Carlo’s place…let’s go see him, now” Buffy said.

“You think?” William said, then looked up as Franz came back to them.

“I phoned Carlo, he said can you go now?”

“Yes!” William and Buffy beamed.
Franz nodded, and said,

“Good, see you soon!”

“Ok, um, can I have the bill?” William took his wallet out.

“S’on the house, bye!” Franz raised his hand in a wave, without turning round.

“Cheers, bye”

They both got outside.

“This is great!” They went to the bookshop. A youngish man say late twenties, early thirties, with sandy hair and glasses smiled at them.

“Hi, we’re William and Buffy, I believe you’ve just spoken to Franz a the coffee shop?”

“Yup …s’cuse me, I’ll just serve this chap…” the man said. He had a strong London accent. They both nodded and stood to one side.

When he’d served the customer, he followed him to the door, locked it behind him, and put a ‘back in 10 minutes’ notice on the door.

“Right, I believe Franz just gave you a job”

“Yes, with Benny’s help!” Buffy said.

“Ah, Benny Yip, yes, he was here earlier”

“We saw him…are you from London?”

“Yes, how can you tell?”

“I am too, originally” William went on to tell him the whole story.

“It was my grandfather’s shop originally, my father ran it briefly, but wanted to go to London, I came here when I was nine, keep meaning to go back! – So…it’s not very tidy at the moment, but I’m sure we can tidy it up…if you’d like to come this way, I have only been moved out three weeks and hadn’t thought about advertising the place yet, thought I’d do it nearer term time, but, well...”

They followed him to the back of the shop, walked up one flight of steps, to which there was a door at the top marked ‘private’.

Taking a bunch of keys out of his pocket, he unlocked the door and said,

“Come on through, there won’t be all the books up here if you want it, and any furniture you don’t like we can put in the loft………Right, this is the bathroom, I’ve got a bit of a thing about green, as you’ll see, but you can paint it if you want” Buffy and William looked round a large bathroom with a nice big bath, walk-in shower, hand basin and toilet. On the wall next to the bath was a mural to make it look like underwater, with a cave and fishes and a huge shark!”

“Wow! – Did you paint that?” Buffy asked, grinning.

“No, my sister, she lives in Australia now, she married a sheep farmer…ok, um this is the sitting room, as you can see, it’s the length of the shop, nearly 22 feet, it could easily be divided with screens or something…kitchen is a bit small, but, well, it’s cheap enough to eat out really, even on student grants.

The kitchen was about 8ft by 7tf, and had a sink unit, a cooker, a fridge and lots of cupboard space.
And a nice long work surface.

“Mind you, knowing Franz, he’ll be letting you bring home any left over cakes and pastries, stuff like that!”

“Gods, I’m going to get so fat if I’m not careful!” Buffy said smiling.

“And this is the bedroom…big enough for two beds, or I suppose you could put a sofa bed in the lounge part…still, that’s your business.

It was quite big, light, painted white, dark green carpet and pale green curtains. A huge double window looked out onto the street.

They suddenly heard somebody playing a saxophone.

“Oh, that’ll be somebody in the music shop, don’t worry.”

“Hey, I like, it’s great!”

“The only thing is, sometimes if the wind’s blowing this way, you can hear the noise of Franz’s bakery blowers, they come on at about 5 o’clock in the morning, he starts work at 4am, he does all the baking himself now, Erika, that’s his mother, has got too old, she’s about 85 I think!”

“She’s 82, he told us, her eyes are going, and that’s why I got the job, I think!”

“Ok, look, I’ll leave you to look round, take you’re time, oh, um, excuse me I must…” Carlo went into the kitchen and opened the fridge, took out a lunch box. Buffy could see the one shelf filled with medicine.

Carlo took out a bottle, and a plastic pack out of the draw, tore it open.

“I’m diabetic, have to take insulin…ok then I’ll leave you to it, like I say, no hurry…”

“Um, it’s great, really!” William said looking at Buffy, who was nodding in agreement.

“Er, how much?”

“Oh, golly…um…er…$450 a month?”

Carlo briefly saw William’s eyes go big; William was actually incredulous that was all he wanted, and furnished too!

“Um, no…er, $400, will that be ok?” Carlo looked uncertain at first, thought he’d asked too much.

“Wow, we’ll take it! – Won’t we?” Buffy asked her grinning brother.

“We sure will!”

“Great! Like I say, I’ll shift those books, and any furniture you want to bring, you’re quite welcome, oh, there’s a microwave for the kitchen, it’s back at my flat, mine broke so I took the one from here, but I’ve bought a new one now, and keep meaning to bring the other one back, and the washer/dryer is downstairs, it’s where I make a drink, at the back of the shop, I had one up here, but it leaked, and the water ran through the ceiling to downstairs and ruined some books, so I thought it better to have it downstairs” Buffy nodded.

“Brilliant, and the Microwave is about the limit of my cooking anyway!” Buffy said.

“So, you’ll be moving in for the new term?”

“Yes, 4th September, but I should imagine we’ll be here from mid August”

“Oh, this I didn’t show you…here, is another front door, you’re entrance straight from the street. Carlo pulled back a curtain in the hallway, took out his keys, opened it, there was a double flight of steps down to the street.

The entrance is just round the corner, saves you having to re-set all the shop alarms when it’s closed”

They both nodded and he relocked it, closed the curtain. Somebody was now playing an electric guitar in the music shop, and very good they were too.

“I’ll see you downstairs when you’re ready then”

“Ok, and thanks!” Carlo went downstairs. Buffy and William hugged, then they both did a little Snoopy dance of joy!

“Day one, got a job and a flat, not a shoebox!”

“Come on…” William pulled Buffy gently by the arm into the lounge again.

“I was thinking, we could live up to about………here” (He spread his arms out)

“And over in this corner, I could set up my computer, it’s got a double power-point and a phone point for the modem”

“Hey it’ll be great, we can bring that glass coffee table out of the garage at home, put it here, have the TV over there…”

“And the sofa across like this…”

“Yes! We could put one chair there…and the other… here, and have a nice bit of floor space!”

“ You now what would look good between the windows?” William said

“What?”

“That bookcase mom’s never liked”
“Hmm, could do, or…you could have it along the back wall over there, next to your computer desk, for all your books, and we could get another small table or a little unit and put flowers on it!”

“Great, this is great!” Buffy came up and cuddled William again.

“Oh, I’d better cancel those appointments”

“Shall we phone mom and dad – do you think they’ll make us come back early?”

“I shouldn’t think so…the hotel’s paid for, and it’ll take too long to get a refund!” William said.

*******************



“Ooh, think of all those cream cakes…will you be able to resist!” Joyce said, teasing.

“I’ve done nothing but eat since I got here, the breakfasts are so yummy…”

“And you’ve got a friend who’s got a Chinese restaurant!”

“Yes, and there’s this place in the park that sells THE most delicious real Italian ice cream, then there’s this place that does the most delicious barbecue…”

“Huh, when I’m allowed to eat it!” William called out.

“What was that?” Joyce asked. Buffy explained about the ice-cream in the park incident.

“You two, honestly!”

“Then this bloody dog came up, and pinched my cone, straight out of my hand!” Buffy said indignantly. She went onto tell her mom about the storm.

“Sounds as if it’s all happening”

“It’s great, we can’t wait for you to see it! We’ve got plans for that glass coffee table, and that bookcase you’ve never liked, they’ll both fit great into our new place. So, will you phone dad at work, tell him all our good news”

“I will, actually, you’ve just missed him…well, by about twenty minutes, he’s in a meeting this morning, I’ll phone him at lunchtime”

“I forget you’re behind us, time wise,” Buffy said.

“Phone his mobile and leave a message, he’ll phone you when it’s convenient for him”

“Hmm, I hate talking to machines!”

“Ok, we better go, phone you soon, bye, here’s Will”

“Bye honey.”

“Hi mom”

“Hi baby, clever old things aren’t you”

“We were lucky to meet Benny, he’s going to be in my study group, he’s doing the same as me. Oh, did Buffy tell you about the spider?”

“No, what happened?”
William explained.

“So, the next thing I know, the under manager or whoever is knocking on the door, thinking I’ve murdered her or something because of her scream!” Joyce laughed and said,

“Oh, poor you!”

“Luckily, the glass and paper were on the side, he believed me.”

“Poor William nothing, it was huge, size of a cat!” Buffy called out.

“A cat! Honestly mom, if it was an inch across, including the legs, it fitted under the glass enough to run around in! Mind you, it would have been cramped in that flat in Kennedy Heights though!”

“Ok baby, you look after each other”

“We will, bye mom, love you, love to dad”

“Bye William, love you my son, and I will”



**********************


“Have they, oh good – are they coming home?” Hank said, holding his mobile to his ear with a hunched up shoulder.

“No, they might as well stay and have some fun, I’ll tell you all about it when you get home”

“Well, they’re good kids, I should be home early, playing golf this afternoon with the MD”

“Don’t let him drag you in the bar, after”

“No, he won’t, he’s on a health kick, doctors orders or something, no booze, no big rich dinners, no fooling with the secretaries! So it’ll be a quick 18 holes, expect me about 4ish”

“Oh good, see you then, bye Hank”

“Bye love…oh, shall I bring a nice bottle of that Napa Valley white you like…”

“Hank Summers, are you trying to get me drunk so you can have your wicked way with me?” Joyce purred

“Yes!”
“Ok then!” She heard Hank chuckle as he put the phone down. Joyce thought she too could be wicked, and decided to be in bed waiting for him when he got home, in some sexy underwear she’d bought for her holidays really, but an early airing wouldn’t hurt…

“I fancy that beef thing I saw last night, sizzling…how do you say that?”
Buffy put her finger under the word, but without looking, William said,

“Szechwan”
Buffy smiled, pinched her nose and said with a strong nasal tone,

“Paging Mr. Know-It-All at table 5!” William just raised his brows and closed his eyes, smiling.

“Are you sure, coz Szechwan is usually hot, and I mean spice hot” William said, knowing her intolerance to anything too spicy.

“Oh, is it? – I could ask Benny”

“Yes Buffy?” Benny appeared as if by magic.

“This um this beef thingy, is it hot? – I mean spicy hot?”

“Yes, hot peppers, chilli, you know”

“Oh right…I don’t like chillies, we have a friend called Xander who made a chilli con carne once, told us it was mild, gods, you could have stripped paint with it! It took the roof of my mouth off, practically”

“Um…ok, besides chilli, anything else you don’t like?”

“Eat anything me!” William said
“Um, not over fond of pickles, but that’s not what you meant…you meant stuff on the menu…as long as it’s not yukky, like sea slug or aba, abby um, that ear thing, (abalone, William said) that’s it, or chickens feet, or deep fried pigs ears…we went to China Town in New York a couple of years back!”

“You’ve just mentioned all my uncles favourites, but he never cooks them here, he knows they wouldn’t sell…so, trust me, I get you good food”

“Ok, great”

“Shall we see if we can take him out tomorrow, it’s his night off?”

“Yeah, dad said to take Franz and Carlo out to a fancy dinner at the hotel and charge it to the room, so yeah” Five minutes later, Benny was back, skilfully balancing various dishes up his arm.

“Here you go, I know you’ve got a thing for ribs…and try these, they’re lovely”
Benny had put a large plate between them, with lots of tasty looking morsels on. They crunched on lightly battered king prawns, vegetable spring rolls, mini ribs, some nice mushroom things, and some little soft stuffed dumplings that had you licking your lips with delight!

“You like?”

“No, we LOVE! What are those?”

“Dim sum, those are little dumplings filled with minced pork and shrimp, with green onion and ginger, my favourite!”

“Hmm, and mine, they’re delish!” Buffy said.

“Ok, ready for main courses?”

They both nodded eagerly. Again Benny bought them lots of small containers between them. There was chicken with onions and ginger, chicken with pineapple, Peking duck, beef with mushrooms, char sui pork with bamboo shoots and water chestnuts, sweet and sour pork balls, soft noodles, special fried rice and a big pot of Jasmine tea. After about twenty minutes, Buffy sat back.

“Gods I am SO stuffed, I’ve made such a pig of myself!”

“You have enough?”

“Gods Benny! Do you realise, I’m going to Miami next week, they’ll be thinking that a whale has beached itself as soon as I step on it!” She sat back, head tipped back, hands on her tummy.

“Don’t be silly, you work out, you must with your great figure”

“If she put as much effort into going to the gym as she did avoiding it, she’d be addicted. OW! She kicked me!” William bent and rubbed his shin, but he was smiling.

“Thankyou for that compliment Benny, now, would you please let us take you out tomorrow night, as a thankyou?”

“You don’t have to do that…but I’d like to go out, I could show you place where students go, like a club, you can dance, or play pool, or just sit and have a drink”

“Great, um will jeans do?”

“Oh yes, not posh night club, it’s called ‘Stoodybakers’, good fun”

“Great, what time?”

“Um, you come here, 8 o’clock”

“Ok…um we better be going, you’re getting busy, can we have the bill?” Somebody else bought the bill to them; and Buffy heard William say,

“He’s joking!”

“What, how much, we did have loads…bloody hell, $10!”

“I know…” William said, opening his wallet and taking two tens out, he went up to the counter and paid, and said

“Will you give the other to Benny please, and say bye for us?” The woman smiled and bowed and said goodnight. They got outside.

“Hmm, come on then, I don’t like the look of those clouds…” William said, looking at the dark grey clouds gathering on the horizon.

“No, I was going to suggest a walk, never mind…uh oh, come on, brisk trot I think!” huge drops began to fall. They were a little wet when they got to the hotel, but not too bad.

“Oh damn, I forgot to get mom to tape X Files for me…they’re about four episodes behind here” Buffy said as they came out of the lift.

“Never mind, I don’t know why…(he opened their room door) I never feel like watching TV when I’m away from home”

“I’m going for a shower, I’m wetter than I thought, and I don’t want to catch cold, I won’t be long, you must do the same”

“Ok, want a coffee?”

“Please” William filled the kettle. Buffy got undressed, her brother quickly leaving the bathroom, he didn’t need to see her naked again.

Five minutes later, she came out in just her towelling robe, and William went in.

“It was just on about that storm last night, 5,000 homes were without electricity for nearly 8 hours…more storms are predicted” Buffy said, pointing to the TV.

“Hey, seen this?” she pressed the remote, and a porn channel showed, Buffy was grinning, and then she looked shocked, turned her head to the side…what are they…I mean, how…?”

“There’s three of them,” William said, grinning. Suddenly, the screen went like snow, and a notice came up, it read, ‘To continue watching channels 63-68, please ring reception and ask for code 9, a charge of $20 per evening will be added to the cost of your room, channels 63-68 are available from 7pm until 5.30am.’

“Great isn’t it, get you all worked up and then making you pay extra for it!” Buffy said grinning.

“Not all worked up are you?” William vigorously rubbed his now washed hair with a towel.

“No!”

“You’ve gone all red!” William teased.

A huge streak of lightening flashed, followed a few seconds later by a loud rumble of thunder. William stood.

“Want a cup of tea before bed?”

“Please…careful though, you know, the electrics” Buffy put on her pyjamas, and got into bed. William made the tea, bought it over and sat on her bed, Buffy moved her legs up, hugging her knees to make more room for him.

“What shall we do tomorrow?”

“Have you got to go register at the college?” Buffy asked.

“Can’t. I found out, they’re closed for three weeks, so I’ll have to do it when we come in August”

“We’ve got to invite Carlo and Franz to dinner”

“Oh yes…I think I better go to see Franz, leave you in the bookshop”

“Why?”

“So you don’t get tempted by all the gooey goodies!”

“True! I’m going to live on salad the rest of the week!” Buffy said, sipping her tea.

“Can I quote you on that?” William grinned at her.

“See, I was right, I did need my Donna Karen after all!”

“Your what?”

“My cocktail dress, mom made me take it out of my case, I could have done with it for Friday!”

“Oh well, you can say I ………blimey, that was a big flash! Um, what was I saying, oh yeah, you can say I told you so to mom when we get home!” A huge loud rumble of thunder roared out.

“Sounds like a repeat performance of last night”

“Shall I turn the TV off?” Buffy pointed the remote control at the screen, and it went off. When they’d finished their tea, William stood, rinsed the mugs, left them to drain, and picked up the book he’d bought from the bookshop.

“Won’t disturb you if I have the light on to read a bit, will it?”
Buffy shook her head.

Doubt if I’ll sleep in this anyway!” William switched the main light off, and put the lamp on over his bed. He had his robe on, lay on top of the bedclothes, and began to read a book about early computing. Buffy lay down, putting her head under the covers.

She could hear people moving about in the lobby, and in the room next door. The storm raged on outside, Buffy tightly screwed herself up into the foetal position, hoping against hope that sleep would come.

She heard William switch the lamp out, but she didn’t emerge from under the covers. He went to whisper ‘night’ to her, but thought that with any luck, she might be already asleep. He went to turn and face the door, thus facing Buffy’s bed, but as the thunder and lightening seemed to be getting closer, he turned and faced the wall, in case she got in with him.

He didn’t have long to wait. The thunder got louder and the lightening more frequent, and each time Buffy thought that the hotel would collapse in a heap of rubble, trapping them all inside.

She wanted a pee, and quickly dived out of bed, went into the bathroom, instead of getting back into her own bed, she got in with William, cuddled up to his back.

She soon settled down. William woke, he was lying on his back, Buffy had her head on his shoulder, and he had a raging hard-on.

“Oh gods” he moaned. Buffy stirred slightly, put her arm around him.

“Erm…I must………sorry, need the bathroom” he gently moved her arm, trying his best not to disturb her, went and had a pee.

He stood in the bathroom doorway…what to do? It was a quarter past four, and the storm had virtually blown itself out, just the odd faint rumbling could be heard. He decided to get into her bed, and did so.

Buffy woke at twenty past six, briefly wondering where she was, and then she looked across to her bed. William had his back to her, fast asleep.

Buffy centred herself more in the bed, lying on her back. She wondered when he’d got up, and if he was annoyed with her, fed up of her keep coming to him like a frightened child…because that’s exactly how she was acting, as far as thunderstorms were concerned, she was five years old all over again.
chapter 17 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 17


Meanwhile, back in Sunnydale

“So? – How do I look?”

“You look beautiful, my baby…! Bernice Rosenberg grabbed her daughter and holding her face, kissed her.

“Mom! You’ll smudge my lipstick!”

“My baby’s all grown up!”

Willow turned sideways to the mirror.

“Sure it isn’t…you know…TOO much…Oh, um it’s a bit early yet for Xander…” Bernice went to answer the door. A deliveryman handed her a beautiful orchid corsage in a box. She thanked him, and grinning as she read the card.

“Here, from Xander,” Bernice said, smiling, handing her daughter the box.

“Mom! You read the card!” Willow frowned at her mother, then smiled at the delicate bloom.

“What shall I do? – Wear it around my wrist, or tie it to the shoulder of my dress?”

The limo bibbed its horn, and she went out.

“Sorry…mom wants a photo…do you mind?”

“Well hurry up then it starts in twenty” Anya said.

Xander got out, and did up the middle button on his hired tux.
Ira Rosenberg fussed with the camera, and after a few minutes, the horn bibbed impatiently from outside. After taking a dozen shots, they left for the prom.

**

“We not allowed in without a ticket, and if you haven’t got a date” Nathan said.

“I don’t want to GO in, go in…I just thought I’d liven up the fruit cup…” Angel said.

“Listen man, they’re wise to everything, even hired security to cover the fire doors, and there’s TWO teachers ladling out the punch, one of them watching it at all times, you’d never get near it…” Marco said. Angel sighed…

“Gods, I’m so fuckin’ bored…there’s no excitement round here”

“Let’s just go, sit outside…see who’s gone with who” Ged suggested.
The others agreed, well, all accept Angel that is.

“You coming?” Ged asked. Angel exhaled smoke, threw his cig away…

“Why not, got nothing or no-one better to do…”
Angel made them stop at the 7-11, and bought a six-pack of Bud.

As they weren’t allowed on the school premises with their car, they parked opposite, sat on the benches, but they sat on the backrest, feet on the seat part.

“Where do all these fuckin’ limos keep coming from?” Marco asked.

“No! – Look…fuckin’ ‘ell!” Nathan said incredulously.

“What?” Ged asked, letting the beer spurt out of the bottle in his speed to look up.

“Don’t waste it, you wanker, else you’ll pay for it!” Angel said irritably, snatching the bottle back.

“Have you seen that, Parker Black, with that student gym teacher…oh, what’s her name…Spik or something, I think she is” Marco said.

“Wow, fit body on her…I wouldn’t mind giving it one…” Nathan said.

“You…you wouldn’t know what to fucking do!” Angel said with a sneer

“Alvarez, Celeste Alvarez, that’s her name. At least…um…” Ged trailed off.

“Least what?” Marco asked, craning his neck to see the next limos occupants.

“Nothing” Ged said. He was going to say at least Parker hadn’t gone with Buffy, but thought better of it, as Parker had put it about that Angel had asked her to the prom and she’d refused.

“Oh look, here’s Taylor”

“Hi”

“Gods, somebody give me a cig, I’m dying for one!” Nathan did. Taylor lit it and inhaled…

“Fuck! It’s making me light headed, with my mom sick I haven’t been able to sneak out…” He drew furiously on the cigarette, making sparks fly off it.

“Hey man…come on, give” Ged beckoned with his hand, Taylor passed it to him after taking another quick drag. Angel passed him an inch of beer in the bottom of the bottle.

“So how long are you grounded for?” Marco asked, taking the cig off Ged.

“ ‘Nother three weeks, unless I go work in my uncles shop, then I can come out from Monday” Taylor said, his turn with the cigarette again, he inhaled deeply.

“What shop’s this then – and how come we’ve never heard of it before?” Angel asked frowning.

“Coz he only just bought it…got some damages from being injured by a police car…it smashed into his car during a chase, three years ago”

“What happened?” Ged asked

“He’s just told us, dick head, his car was…” Nathan started

“I know that, I mean to his uncle, was he badly hurt?”

“Well, fire department had to cut him out of the car, he hurt all his insides, his stomach and that, smashed up his liver, they had to remove his spleen and he lost his leg from the knee”

“Fuckin’ ‘ell, bet he got millions!” Ged said. Taylor shrugged, dunno how much he got, ‘cept he bought a house, moved out of the trailer park, and now he’s bought a shop”

“Is he ok now, can he walk like?” Marco asked

“Oh yeah, when he’s got jeans on, you wouldn’t know, but he usually wears shorts, and his false leg is a cup like thing that goes over his stump, then two metal bars going down into a wooden foot, he hasn’t even got a limp”

“So, what kind of shop? – Gun store, Liquor store?” Angel asked hopefully.

“Nah…besides, he can’t drink anymore as his liver was all smashed up…”

“He’s supposed to sell it, not fuckin’ drink it…” Angel said testily.

“Aunt Jean wouldn’t let him…she got him growing vegetables, now he sells them”

“That it, vegetables? Angel said, rolling his eyes. – Figures, a vegetable serving vegetables!”

“Hey, nothing wrong with his brain!” Taylor said, grinding out the nub end.

“I meant YOU, you dick head!”

“Oh look, there’s that Xander Harris and Willow…who’s that with them?” Ged asked, squinting.
Angel looked up sharply, thinking that it might just be Buffy and William after all.

“Who…?” Angel began, and then saw it was Riley and that weird chick of his.

“Oh it’s Mr psych and his pet project…Man, she has got SUCH an attitude problem…she always seems so angry at something, and if you do something wrong, boy, does she let you know, doesn’t matter who you are, she doesn’t shut up” Ged said.

“Bit like you then!” Marco said, making them all, including Angel laugh. It felt good, when that happened.

“I was just thinking…” Angel said, smacking open another beer against the edge of the bench so the top flipped onto the grass.

“What?” Nathan said.

“It’s a shame that his uncle’s shop isn’t closer…we could have had a field day with some potatoes!” Angel said cryptically.

“What d’you mean, you hungry or something?” Taylor asked.

“Don’t be a jerk!” Angel said between slurps of beer

“What then, chucking them?” Ged asked

“No, you asshole! Well, if you stick a potato up the exhaust pipe of a car, it won’t go” Angel said, taking another swig of his beer.

“Fuck off!”

“S’true…my brother told me that, anything really, just so it closes the hole, fuck’s up the car” Marco said nodding.

“I saw that in that film…what was it now…?” Nathan frowned, clicking his fingers trying to think

“What film?” Marco asked

“I’m trying to think! – It had got that black dude in it, the one with the funny laugh…”

“Jamie Foxx?”

“Nah…fuck, this is driving me – EDDIE MURPHY! – In Beverley Hills Cop – he’s been watched by some guys and he sends them out a supper and while they are-”

“Yeah yeah, we saw it…” Angel said, then added

“Okay, whose got the smokes?” Ged lit a cigarette and passed it to Angel

“Imagine all those limos, with all their poncy capped chauffeurs, popping the hoods trying to find out what the problem was!” Ged said

“Then what you’d want, is a heavy rainstorm, so all the little ponced up girls and boys in their poncy hired tuxedos, and ball dresses got abso-fuckin-lutely soaked!” Marco said.

“Yeah!” Everyone agreed. They watched the steady stream of fancy cars arrive and depart, for half an hour, then the faint strains of music could be heard.
Angel was pleased to see that Cordelia Chase hadn’t gone, unless he’d missed her arrive…he decided to give her a call.

“Just making a private call” He said, to the gang, and walked off. He pressed Cordelia’s number. It rang, and then it was answered.

“You didn’t go then!” Angel said.

“I don’t know WHAT I, or my husband has got to say to you, to make you understand, Angel Stebson, if you contact my daughter in ANY way, shape or form again, I’ll-“

“Oh, go fuck yourself, Mrs” Angel ended the call. They’d either taken the phone off her, or her mother had swapped sim cards.
Mrs Chase stormed upstairs and banged open her daughter’s bedroom door, without knocking. Cordelia was already red-eyed from crying having to miss the very night she’d always dreamed of, hoping to become Prom Queen…

“What have we told you!”? She brandished the phone at her daughter.

“What?” Cordelia stared at her mother, her face a mixture of shock, surprise and hurt.

“That, that despicable, no good, trailer trash lay about, that’s what, he’s just phoned and-“

“Angela, calm down.” her husband appeared behind her, putting his hands on her shoulders.

“I won’t calm down, I’m going to have him prosecuted, I will NOT have -”

“Angela…Angela, look, listen…listen to me!” Cordelia’s father held her mother by the shoulders still, and very gently shook her, until she looked at him, her eyes blazing.

“It’s hardly Cordelia’s fault if he phones her, is it? – I mean, that type needs a lot of discouragement, but I think she’s been punished enough. You know how she’s always wanted to be prom queen….” He led his wife out of the bedroom.

Hot tears coursed down Cordelia’s cheeks, she’d never have another chance…A couple of minutes later, her father came into her room, knocking quietly on her bedroom door first, but not waiting for a reply, he came in, shut the door and came over and sat on the bed. He stroked the unusual-for-her unwashed hair.

“I’m sorry Princess…”

“Oh daddy!” Cordelia cried on her dads shoulder.

Angel stomped back to his mates. He got to thinking…it always seemed to be Angela Chase that dealt with things, she was a firebrand alright…he’d love to fix her stuck up, holier than thou, bitch attitude…show her a lesson she wouldn’t forget…He knew her car, she drove a BMW, black…nice car…nice car to run off some lonely road and teach the bitch to have some respect…

“What are you smiling at?” Marco asked

“Me…huh, just hearing how much she misses me, and my humongous dick!” He grabbed his crotch. The gang laughed.

“You seen her?”

“No, but she’s that horny, she reckons she’s gonna climb out and see me when her parents have gone to bed”

“Lucky bastard…just think, all that pent up stuff, she’ll fuck your brains out!” Nathan said.

“Yeah…she will…then Buffy’s back!” Angel grinned.

“You gonna dump Cordelia when she does?” Ged asked. Angel made a face like he was thinking.

“Well, I’m sure I can manage the two…doesn’t do for them to see you every night of the week, unless it’s just for a quick bang…they start to think they own you see…want you to DO STUFF with THEIR FOLKS…it gets so fucking nauseating having to be polite, when you’d REALLY like to say, across the dinner table,

“Oh really, is that right Mrs Summers, yes, blue is the new seasons colour, but I don’t give a rat’s ass, coz last time I was at this table, I was shagging your daughter senseless on it!” The gang laughed nervously, they didn’t believe him, but they wouldn’t let on that they knew that he hadn’t touched Buffy, coz he’d get very annoyed with them if they did, and he could be very nasty…as James had found out, to his cost.

At ten to eleven, Taylor said he was going home.

“Hold on, I’ll walk with you” Marco said and they left the others to watch the departure from the prom.

“It’s all bullshit you know, about him banging Buffy” Marco said.

“Yeah, I know…I think he’s done Cordelia though, her mom was talking to somebody my mom knows.

“Yeah. But that night he said he was banging her for two hours straight; that was all bullshit.

“Was it?”

“Yeah, well, as Parker said, they didn’t come out of the pictures until ten to ten, and it was just under an hour later when he came to play pool”

“Yeah, but I thought he said he’d balled her twice before hand” Taylor said.
Marco shook his head.

“He couldn’t have, my brother drove passed his house, said he saw him, in his yard, throwing at the hoop, it was just gone seven, the movies start at eight”

“Well, I don’t know…I know Chad wants me to keep away from him” Taylor said.

“He’s alright isn’t he, Chad?”

“Yeah…saved me from being busted the other night, covered for me, you know, when I snuck out when they’d gone to that wedding reception. Mom was going to phone to make sure I was in, but he did, he knew I’d sneak out, he told her I’d got a headache. Taylor explained.

“So, you gonna work at this shop then?” Marco asked.

“Yeah…uncle Mikey said he’d pay me…so, why not?”

“Don’t blame you mate…I’d like to…break away from the gang…Angel’s too dangerous, man…well, you know, he’s getting bored, I can tell, and when he gets bored, he starts to want to do wacky things, dangerous things…and Ged’s just as bad, follows him like some fuckin’ lost sheep” Taylor nodded in agreement.

“I’ve never asked anybody else this, but do you believe him, about James, do you think it was him driving, or do you think it was Angel?” Marco asked. They slowed up as they neared Taylor’s house. Taylor looked at Marco, decided to trust him.

“Truthfully? I think Angel was driving, for the simple reason, he has scars on his left arm and hand, he says he got them from punching out the shattered windshield, but, if the car came to rest on the drivers side, and he’d been the passenger, he’d have been lying on his left arm inside the car, he’d have punched the screen out with his right. Those scars are from the glass in the drivers side window, I’m sure, plus how come he didn’t call an ambulance for ten minutes?”

“He said he was knocked out”

“Yeah, he said, or shifting James’ body to make it look like HE had been driving. What do you think?

“Well, I think it was Angel, coz of that row they’d had, and Angel kept calling James a ‘chicken’ and a ‘pussy’, and James said he could handle anything Angel cared to dole out to him”

“Don’t suppose we’ll ever know, give us a couple of fags ‘til tomorrow night, I’ll buy you a pack when I get paid?” Taylor asked.

“Here…got some more at home, my brother’s home on leave, got some toll free ones, just buy me a beer or something” he handed Taylor a pack with seven in.

“Cheers, you’re a mate” Taylor put them in his pocket.

“Eh up, is this Chad’s car?”

“Yeah, I’m not dashing in though, mom’s just seen me…” The car pulled up.

“Taylor Price, what are you doing out of the house, you know you’re grounded!”

“Oh, but mom, I’m working on Monday”

“Lighten up Doreen, he’s outside the house, and he’s only talking to his mate” Chad said locking the car.

Doreen looked at Taylor, then at Chad.

“Hmm…ok then, but you better have not gotten into any trouble, Taylor”

“I’m only talking, like Chad said!” Taylor moaned.

“Well, ok then, two more minutes, then you’re in” His mom said, going into the house. Chad nodded to Marco and said,

“You’re one of Vinny Peroni’s lads, aren’t you?” Chad said smiling

“Yeah, I’m Marco”

“Nice to meet you, son, you’re dad and I…were in ‘Nam together”

“Yeah?” Marco said, shaking Chad’s hand. Chad smiled at Taylor and nodding his head towards Marco, he said,

“He’s a big improvement on Angel. I’ll leave you to it, oh have another ten minutes, I’ll see your mom” Chad said, he winked at Taylor and said ‘goodnight’ and went in.

“He is a nice bloke, isn’t he?” Marco said.

“A hell of a lot better than my real dad…he was, IS a right bastard” Marco looked at his watch, quarter past eleven.

“I’d better go, I’ll see you in the week”

“Um, Marco…my uncle said something about me getting a mate to help deliver boxes of veg and sacks of potatoes and that, d’you fancy it, earn some moolah, keep us both away from the gang…we could keep it quiet, you know, not tell the others, you could do the driving”

“Really?”

“Yeah, and as Chad knows you, well, knows of you, he’ll put in a good word, keep us both out of Stebson’s way, like you say, he’s gonna blow sooner, rather than later, and I for one do not want to get caught in the aftermath, as mud sticks, I’ve got to keep out of trouble, else I’ll get 18 months slapped onto any new punishment, and it would be boot camp for sure for me”

“Well, yeah, great”

“I’ll give you a ring, let you know when and where, ok?”

“Great, see you then”




***************************



“Same sort of ‘set-up’ as the Bronze” Buffy shouted over the loud music.

“What you want to drink?” Benny asked.

“Ah-ah, our treat remember, put your money away!” Buffy said, closing her hand over Benny’s.

“But you left me $10 last night”

“Yeah but I mean, all that food!”

“Listen, when term starts, I’m hoping you’ll let me come study at your place sometimes, when I need a bit of peace!”

“Sure, you’ll be welcome anytime!” William said nodding. Benny knew they were telling the truth.

“Coke?” William asked Buffy

“Diet, please” Buffy said.

“Benny?”

“Same for me”

“Three diet cokes please,” William said to the barman.
The three of them turned from the bar sipping their drinks.

“Come on, you wanna meet some more people?”

“Sure”
Benny led them over to a table by the pool table.
A young black lad nodded to him.

“Carlton…(he beckoned him) this is William, and this is, Buffy, they’ll be living here soon, when term starts” Everyone was introduced.

Buffy danced with William and she danced with Benny. It was a nice place, wasn’t too busy, but they realised that a lot of people would be away, and once term started, it would get packed. By the end of the evening, they’d met at least two-dozen people, at least three girls had taken a fancy to William, and at least three guys had taken a fancy to Buffy. To be fair, they’d only met about seven girls, four of which were already spoken for.

The one girl, Eloise, was very self-assured, quite attractive, although she thought herself gods gift, took a real fancy to William, sat next to him, to the point of edging Buffy out. When she came back from the toilets, Buffy looked at her seat being taken. There was nothing for it. She went and sat on William’s lap. He said nothing, just hitched her up a bit and carried on talking. This ‘intrusion’ put Eloise off her stride a bit.

Eloise smiled acidly at Buffy, and then she got up to go to the toilets; Buffy took her seat again.

“Do you like her?” Buffy asked grinning, already knowing the answer.
William went wide-eyed with horror.

“I’ll take that as a ‘no’ then, shall I?”

“In every way possible!”
Eloise came back from the toilets, licked her lips, her eyes set on William.

“Shall we be going too, Benny’s tired.”

“Yes, I think Eloise is circling, homing in for the kill! I’m going to put a stop to her, here and now” Buffy said.

A tall guy called Owen, who had taken a shine to Buffy asked if he could see her the following Saturday.

“I’ll be back home then, well, strictly speaking, we’ll be in Florida, on holiday, we won’t be here until August”

“Oh, oh never mind, I’ll see you then” Owen said. Buffy smiled, thought ‘no way’.

“Ready?” William nodded.

They followed Benny out.

“I think Eloise likes William!”

“She’ll just have to like, I can’t stand her!” Buffy said.

“Owen likes you…so does David and Max!” Buffy just smiled.

“Well, that’s as maybe, but I promised mom and dad that I’d knuckle down, get some schooling done myself, it’s part of the deal me coming here, and I don’t want to get bogged down in relationships, I’ve got work to think of too, so would you mind if we kept it quiet about being brother and sister? –

I mean we’d much rather people think we were a couple”

“I think you’re quite right…you have so much else to think of first!”



***********************************


Cordelia lifted her head up off the pillow. Nothing, she must have been mistaken. Flopped back down. Hearing the noise again, she raised up, there it was again!

“’Delia!” Quickly she jumped up and opened her curtains, then her window.

“At last…come down” Angel whispered hoarsely.

“Angel! I can’t! My mom and dad are in the next room!” She turned her head expecting to see her irate mother standing at her bedroom doorway.

“Cordy…come on…I’ve missed you…so much!” Angel pleaded. Cordelia looked at her bedroom door, then back to Angel. Her heartbeat fast, she bit her bottom lip.

“This is crazy, mom’ll kill you if she finds out!” Cordelia hissed.

“Chance I’ll take!”

All Cordelia could think of, was ‘he must love me’! All Angel was thinking was, ‘I must get a shag’!

“Come round the side of the house…(she looked at the door again) I’ll climb through the bathroom window” she whispered as loud as she could.

“That’s my girl!” Angel nodded and grinned. Cordelia closed her window as quietly as she could, and then crept over to her bedroom door. She opened it a fraction, listened, then opened it a little wider.

There was no light on in her parent’s room, and she could hear snoring. Avoiding the squeaky floorboards she crept/ran across to the bathroom, then realised she needn’t have done, she was entitled to go to the bathroom after all! She went in, locked the door, put the light on, opened the window.

Angel stood on the grass. Carefully moving the stuff off the window ledge, and first kneeling on the closed toilet seat, she carefully slid one of her long legs over the sill. Sliding the other one out too, she slid her bottom forward, and dropped silently onto the roof. She came to the edge. It was about 7ft from the ground.

Angel came up and held his arms up, she turned and slid her legs over the edge…gods! – She hadn’t done this since she was about 12! She felt Angel grab her legs and help her down. She turned and kissed him eagerly, with passion.

‘Blimey!’ Angel thought, he should have done this ages ago, instead of reverting back to his hand…

“Oh, Angel, I’ve missed you, so much! I thought you didn’t want me, as I hadn’t heard from you in five days!”

“Hmm…you …kidding! Your mom…oh, set the dog on me!” He’d managed to get his zip open, and worm his hand up her top to her breast, he was kissing her neck.

“Oh…oh yes!” Cordelia ground herself up against his hardness.

“Touch me…” Angel managed between kisses. She dropped her hand and touched his hard cock over his trousers at first, until Angel helped by unzipping himself completely and she slipped her hand inside his fly.

“Oh gods, Delia!” Angel gasped. He began to fumble with her jeans zip, finally getting his hand inside, he was nearly breaking his wrist, but he managed to cup her mound, slip a finger between her soft folds. Cordelia groaned, bucked up.

“Oh, squeeze a bit harder…” Angel panted as she worked her hand back and forth.

“Oh yes, don’t stop! Oh, oh, oh, uhn, uhn, uhn, Aaaahhhhhh!” He panted, then pushed another finger inside her. Cordelia bit her lip, and rocked on his hand. She was making all sorts of little noises, Angel kissed her, and she actually came, he felt her inner muscles squeezing his fingers.

“Aaahhh!” She shook, and then relaxed against him, he removed his hand. She looked at him. They kissed again, and then zipped themselves back up.

“I’ve missed you” she said softly.

“Yeah…well, you know, I missed you…He pulled her in for another kiss. They kissed for a little while.
The dog barked.

“Angel, I’d better…um, come tomorrow?”

“Course, bring a blanket”

“Ok. Um, help me back up?” Angel cupped his hands, and Cordelia put her foot in it, and putting her hands on the roof, she levered herself up, got a grip with her knee and pushed up to stand, she quickly got back in through the window, and closed it. Angel could see her silhouette through the glass. She closed the window, and put the stuff back how she found it.

“Cordelia?” She jumped at the soft knock at the door.

“What?” She tried to sound calm, she was shaking all over.

“What are you doing, you’ve been a long time in here”

“I-I um, I feel s-s-sick” She turned on the tap, washed her hands, looked down and saw to her horror she got come all over her jeans! She grabbed some toilet roll and wiped as much off as she could, then decided to take them off.

“Let me in”

“No”

“Cordelia, I only want to help…it’s because you haven’t eaten”

“Leave me alone!” Cordelia hissed through gritted teeth.

“Cordelia!” Angela Chase said more loudly.

“Go AWAY”

“I just want to……(Greg called out from the bedroom, asking what was the problem) she won’t come out of the bathroom” Angela said to her husband, then she faced the bathroom door again and said,

“Now look what you’ve made me do, I’ve woken your father now!” Cordelia draped her jeans over her arm, unlocked the door, and said angrily to her mother,

“That’s my fault as well is it, gods, you’re SO pathetic!” She went to push passed her mother.

“Just who do you think you’re talking to? I will not be spoken to like-“

“Look, it’s gone midnight, just what’s going on?” Greg Chase stood in the bedroom doorway tying the belt to his robe.

“I can’t go to the bathroom now apparently!” Cordelia said angrily. Greg closed his eyes.

“Angela, will you give the girl a break!”

“Oh, my fault is it, I should have known you’d take her side, I’m going to the spare room!”

“Good, bloody stay there too!” Cordelia screamed at her mother. Angela slapped her face. Cordelia was livid, and slapped her back. Her mother looked shocked, her hand flew to her mouth, and she felt tears prick her eyes.

“Don’t you DARE touch me again, I’ll have you prosecuted!” Cordelia spat at her mother, and went to her bedroom and slammed the door.

“What was…?” Greg started. Angela’s shoulders began to shake.

“Look, what was the problem?” Greg said gently

“She said she felt sick, that’s why she was a long time in the bathroom”

“Well, how long was she?”

“Um…good…erm, g-g-good fifteen minutes”

“Fifteen minutes, is that all? Angela…how would you like it, if you were timed in the bathroom?”

“She’s rebelling Greg, I can feel her slipping away from us, she’s becoming uncontrollable”

“I think she’s rebelling the more you try and control her…I was half expecting her to sneak out to the prom. Look, I’m going back to bed, are you coming or are you going in the spare room, you can please yourself” Greg asked, quite frankly not caring which she did. Cordelia had had her ear pressed to her bedroom door. She smiled, good, her dad was on her side.

In the morning, Cordelia went down to the kitchen. Her father was dressed for work, even though it was a Sunday. He was drinking coffee; there was no sign of her mother.

“Morning Princess”

“Hi dad”

“You ok, want some breakfast?”

“No thanks, just some juice will do.” Angela came into kitchen, the slip-slap of her mules the only sound to be heard.

“Morning” Nobody answered her.

“Well I’m off!” Greg folded his paper, drained his coffee cup and stood up, slipped on his suit jacket.

“See you later, bye love” Greg kissed his daughter’s cheek, just said ‘bye’ to his wife. Cordelia looked at her mother…she looked old, her eyes all baggy, she looked tired.
Cordelia finished her juice, put the glass on the drainer

“So, what are you doing today?” Angela asked, sitting where her husband had just vacated, but looking across to her daughter. Cordelia totally ignored her.

“Cordelia…Cordelia, I’m talking to………………you” Cordelia left the kitchen. She was supposed to be grounded, but there was no way she was going to stay in on her day off from work.

Finding out her hipster jeans, and a crop top, she’d washed her other jeans after last night, and thought that rather than climbing out of the window tonight, she’d unlock the garage door and disable the alarm so Angel could wait in there for her.

She found both mobile phones, and slipped the sim card back into her own, put it into her bag. She came downstairs.

“And where do you think you’re going?”
Cordelia gave her such a contemptuous look and spat out one word,

“Work”

“But I thought you didn’t work on Sun…” Cordelia had gone out and slammed the front door.

“…Day. Shit!”
Angela closed her eyes…elbow on the counter she propped up her head on her hand. She’d have to phone her doctor and her therapist.

Cordelia phoned Angel. Eventually it was answered.

“Did I wake you?”

“Uh…what’s the time?”

“Um…nearly nine”

“Fuckin’ ‘ell!” Angel groaned, not knowing that nine o’clock on a Sunday morning even existed.

“Sorry, look, tonight, instead of me climbing out of the window, I’ll leave the garage unlocked, and I’ll disable the alarm, so just phone me when you get to mine, but come a bit earlier, say elevenish”

“I’ll try, I might be busy” Angel lied.

“I’ll be waiting, and not wearing any knickers…”

“I’ll be there!” She chuckled and just said,

“Bye!”

Angel’s head flopped back on his pillow, he was grinning.


**


“Hello…um can I speak to Dr. Muley please?”

“I’m sorry, Dr Muley is on vacation at the moment, is it an emergency?”

“Um…I need…um, n-n-no, no it isn’t”

“You could see Dr Ali or a Dr Andersen?”

“Um< no, it’s ok…um when is Dr Muley back?”

“Three weeks”

“Oh. Ok, um thankyou bye” All through the phone call, Angela Chase was looking at the drinks cabinet…a drop wouldn’t hurt, just this once…She tipped roughly about the same amount of vodka into her breakfast orange juice as there was juice. She drank…it was strong. She felt better already.

By ten to ten, the vodka bottle that had been nearly 3/4 full, was now empty. She felt a whole lot better. She took the empty bottle through to the kitchen, dumped it in the trash. Right, what to do?

Not sitting here moping around over her daughter, that’s for sure…she’d go out…got to get dressed first. She ran upstairs with a spring in her step, got dressed. Rifling through her dressing table drawer for her Chanel earrings, she came across a prescription bottle still half full of Valium. A surprised smile crossed her face, and she tapped out three into her hand, and threw them back into her mouth and swallowed, she looked at the bottle again, and deciding that they were ‘old’, they’d probably lost a lot of their potency, so, she took another three. She’d get through today!

*********



“Please daddy…please?” Cordelia wheedled

“Ok, but don’t tell your mother”

“Did she go in the spare room last night?”

“No, but I wish she had, her snoring keeps me awake half the time!” Cordelia snorted a laugh.

“Thankyou daddy, love you, see you later”
Cordelia went back inside Vera Wang, and took the white trouser suit to the desk.

“That’s $1800, great bargain, half price!” The assistant said. Cordelia beamed.

Angela Chase backed out her BMW out of the garage, narrowly missing the gatepost by a whisker, and sped off for a little retail therapy. Three miles down the road, she was finally pulled over for weaving in and out of the traffic.

“Come on…” Greg Chase said impatiently.

“You’ve reached the home of Greg and Angela Chase, we are not available at the moment but if you’d like to leave you’re name and number after the tone, we’ll get back to you”…BEEP

“Angela, it’s me, I won’t be home for lunch, I’m going to play golf, I’ll be home about six, ok, bye”

*

“But ossifer…I mean…I um…” The cop swam in and out of focus, Angela Chase tried to keep upright, and not slide into the foot well of the car.

“Are you feeling alright, madam?”

“What, of course!” Angela tried to pull herself together, and sit up straight again, but she suddenly felt boneless, her mouth numb, her top lip just wouldn’t work properly.

“Have you been drinking madam?”

“Drink…drinkin’ but it s’only…(she looked owlishly at her watch) um ‘lev’n clock!”

“Madam I’m arresting you because I think you’ve been drinking, and you are certainly unfit to drive, ………you have the right to remain silent, you have the right to an attorney ……Angela was unceremoniously bundled into the squad car, the two cops (unprofessionally) tossed a coin to see who drove her car to the station.

Cordelia saw the garage had been left wide open, called out ‘hello’ when she got inside the house, but got no reply. She phoned Angel, after she’d heard her father’s message.

“But what about the Rottweiler?”

“It’s a Doberman, and it’s out back”

“I meant your mother!” Angel said, but he was smiling. Even Cordelia laughed.

“Well, if she comes back, you can hide under my bed…what’s the matter, don’t you want to make love to me in a nice soft bed?”

Angel swallowed, said he’d be right over.

“Are you fucking mad, you can’t park there, if she comes back, she’ll know!” Cordelia shook her head.

“Thought you said they were out?”

“Dad won’t be home before six, I don’t know where she’s gone; she could be back any minute, park round the corner and walk here…go on!” Cordelia pushed him back out the door. Angel went out muttering. Five minutes later, he came back in via the back door.

“Want some lunch?”

“Thought we were going to fuck in your big bed!” Angel said.

“I’m beginning to think that’s all you want me for” Cordelia said, closing the fridge door.

“Come on…”

“Where ...oh!” Cordelia began to walk upstairs. Angel could feel himself getting hard…

“Oh…oh…yes! – aaaahhh!” Angel collapsed on top of her.

“Uh…gods, move, you weigh a ton!, anyway…I didn’t come, so, what are you going to do about it?”

“What?”

“I want to come, what are you going to do about it?” Cordelia looked at him, propped up on her elbow.
Fucking hell, talk about bossy women!

“Fancy oral sex?” Cordelia asked

“Um yeah!” Angel was gob smacked, wow, if this what came about from hanging with the likes of Harmony…

“Have you done it before?”

“ME! Um…er well, erm no” Angel confessed, too shocked at her newfound boldness to lie.

“Well, we can soon remedy that!” Cordelia said.

“What, when?”

“Er, hello, now!”

“Ew!”

“What do you mean, ew! I’m clean!”

“Yeah, but…well, I shot me load there, didn’t I” Angel said, grimacing.

“What a lovely turn of phrase you’ve got. Ok, I’ll go wash then”

“Um, no, erm not now…you could blow me if you wanted”

“I’ll do you, WHEN you’ve done me, and not until!” Cordelia said, determined to get some sort of say in their ‘relationship.’

“What’s that?…She got up, looked out of the window.

“FUCK! ANGEL! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?”
“What? What are you on abou…” He trailed off as he could hear the crackle and babble of a police radio, he too jumped up.

“Keep away from the window, moron! (She pushed him back down on the bed) Oh my gods!” Cordelia was open mouthed with shock.

“What”

“It’s the cops, bringing my mother home!”

“What!”

“Will you stop saying that!”

“Fuck, I better go!”

“What’s the rush…you should see the state of her…gods she looks so drunk! What are you doing?” Cordelia turned her head to see Angel had got his trousers on, and zipped himself up.

“If she finds me, she’ll…”

“Oh stop being such a wimp, get back into bed!” Cordelia said. Angel stopped, one arm in his tee shirt.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, but be quiet…I won’t be long” Cordelia put her robe on, twirled her hair up into a top knot. She went down stairs.

“Ah, um, and you are?” A woman police officer asked

“Cordelia Chase…what’s going on?”

“Um, you’re mother is it?”

“Yes” Cordelia said, thoroughly bored.

“She’s been charged DUI, and we’re also waiting a toxicology report for drugs, this is the summons, she’s been bailed”

“Really, well thankyou for taking the time to bother with her” The policewoman nodded, didn’t know whether she was joking or not, and they left.

“And you say I’m an embarrassment…the Mountjoy’s saw you, so have the Cooper-Hadley’s, Leibermann’s and the Smithsons…you’re disgusting!” Cordelia berated her mother, looking at her with such contempt.

“Cordelia…don’t tell your father” Angela grabbed her daughter’s wrist.

“What, ashamed are you? Embarrassed…you disgust me. Don’t you think he’s got eyes, the car’s gone, it’ll be in the ‘name and shame’ section of the papers!”

“Oh gods!”

“You’re pathetic…and I owe you nothing, I’ll never forgive you for last night, for making me miss the prom, so don’t go thinking I’m going to do you any favours now, because I’m not!” Cordelia turned on her heel and went back upstairs, locked her bedroom door. Angel quickly pushed her diary he’d been reading down the bed, and then pushed it out of bed with his foot, when she wasn’t looking.

“So?”

“Oh, mugged I think, car jacked”

“Yeah?”

“That’s why they bought her home”

“Thought you said drunk?”

“Oh, the doctor medicated for shock or something, I don’t give a shit”

“So, we alright still to…” Angel bounced his hips up and down.
Cordelia smiled, undid her robe, crawled on the bed.

“Time for me on top I think…” Angel’s brows rose…
He left after two hours, agreeing to take her out later. Blimey, he was knackered! And his dick WAS sore this time, she was insatiable!

Cordelia went and showered, went downstairs found her mother asleep on the sofa. The phone rang.

“Hello, is it possible to speak to Mrs Angela Chase please”

“Who is this, please?” Cordelia asked.

“This is officer Suzanne Ramirez of Sunnydale police precinct”

“She’s still sleeping it off I’m afraid, this is her daughter Cordelia, can I help?”

“Cordelia…no, gimme…gimme phone!” Angela reached out towards her daughter, fell off the sofa in an undignified heap. Sneering, she turned her back on her mother.

“We’ll need to see Mrs Chase, the toxicology report states that there was 0.5mg of Diazepam per litre of blood in her circulation, that on top of the alcohol means she will also be charged with driving while unfit to do so”

“Ok, um do you want to see her today?”

“No, not if she’s still unfit, I’ll draw up the new charge sheet and she can see it sometime tomorrow”

“Ok, thankyou officer, bye” Cordelia said sweetly. Angela Chase clawed her way back up on the sofa.

“Look at you…you disgust me…can’t wait until…” she heard her father’s car pull up. Now the fun would start!

“Daddy!” Cordelia flew to her father, pretending to be all teary.

“What is it Princess?”

“It’s mom…She’s been arrested, drunk driving, and the police just phoned, they’re adding ‘driving while unfit to do so’ as she was stoned or on some sort of drugs too” Cordelia said, knowing full well that Diazepam was Valium.

“What?” Greg looked horrified.

“When was this?”

“The police bought her home lunch time…look, I found this under the sink!” Cordelia pulled out the empty vodka bottle.

“Angela, tell me this isn’t true, tell me that there’s been some ghastly mistake…” She remained silent.

“I was in my bedroom I saw the police bring her back, they poured her out of the car, and all the neighbours saw her” Cordelia was going to wring every last drop of embarrassment out of this situation as she could.

“Um…could you stay with one of your friends tonight Cordelia?” Greg asked She nodded, tried to look really upset, but inwardly she was turning cartwheels!
chapter 18 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay, Real Life got in the way!
For all those kind souls sticking with it!!!
*********************************

William stood at the end of the counter in the coffee shop, talking to Franz………

“It’s a thankyou, for all you’ve done for us, say you’ll come, we’re asking Carlo too”

“Really, I’d love to have dinner with you, that would be great” Franz said, smiling.

“Good, say 7.30pm tonight at the Holiday Inn, we’ll meet you in the bar?”

“I’ll be there”

“Ok, I’ll see you in the bar, bye then” William came out of the Coffee shop, and made his way to the bookshop. He went in and could hear Buffy telling Carlo about their mother’s gallery. She was holding a book on the artist she was talking about.

“So, seeing his potential, she booked an exhibition by him, and since he’s been picked to do the mural for Ground Zero in NY, he’s the hottest ticket in town, mom’s over the moon, so is the gallery owner!”

“Hi, is he coming?” Buffy asked

“Yup! Will you come too, Carlo” William asked, knowing Buffy said she’d ask Carlo.

“Love to, tonight at 7.30, Holiday Inn, I’ll be there!”

“Good!”

“Here you go, I was telling Buffy, you can come and go as you please, I know you’re going tomorrow night, but you’re welcome, and I’ll show you how to set the burglar alarm in the shop. Just in case you ever need to, ok?” William nodded. Carlo had given him four keys, two for the outside front door, and two to the door at the top of the stairs. William caught sight of the Hispanic artist Buffy was talking about on a book cover.

“Oh, that’s the chap that mom booked because she like his stuff, he was a virtual unknown when she did!” William said.

“Yes, so Buffy was telling me, Joachim Cortez, should be a good seller!”

“We’ll see you tonight then” William said, and he and Buffy left, leaving Carlo to display the new books he’d just had in.

“I’ve got nothing decent to wear, you’re alright, you’ve got those black trousers”

“Well, you’ve got some money, haven’t you?” William said.

“Yeah, but that was my spends for holiday! I feel guilty asking dad, since he’s shelled out for all this!” William rolled his eyes.

“I can lend you…$50”

“Oh, but I wasn’t fishing for…really? – Thanks, I’ll give it you back from my first weeks wages!” Buffy grinned, William smiled.

“So, we can go into town?”

“Come on then” Buffy grinned in delight, scrunched up her shoulders for a second or two, and held William’s hand with both of hers.

What would I do without my big brother, eh?”



**************************************
*********************************


“The blue…or the black?” Buffy asked, holding each dress in turn in front of her. His head held on one side, William said,

“The black, the neckline is nice on that one, shows off your pretty collarbones”

Buffy smiled at him, went and tried it on. She came out of the changing room, stood on tip toe, and then twisted her hair up off her neck.

“What do you reckon, if I wear heels, and put my hair up, look any good; does my bum look big?”

“You’re bum’s fine, it looks very nice”

“Ok” Buffy got dressed in her own clothes and took the dress to the desk.

“That’s $60 please, madam”

“$60, but it says $40 on the ticket”

“Sorry madam my mistake, you’re quite right” The assistant wrapped it and Buffy paid for it and they went out.

Later on that evening

“I’ll have…a grilled steak, and a green salad, no dressing” Buffy said

“Want a starter?” William asked. Buffy shook her head, and said,

“No thankyou, no starter, and no potatoes, either”

“Ok…Carlo, Franz?”

“Um…I’ll have the pâté to start, then the lamb cutlets with the rosemary and juniper jus, mixed vegetables and new potatoes, thankyou” Franz said.

“I’ll have, the grilled lobster tail to start, then the veal escalope, sautéed Mushrooms, new potatoes and spicy zucchini, thanks”

“Wine anybody?”

“There’s a nice Californian white here, not too pricey” Franz said.

“What are you going to have?” Buffy asked her brother.

“I’m going to have, garlic mushrooms to start, and then a steak and fries.”

“Garlic mushrooms, I didn’t see those!” Buffy said, opening the menu again. William pointed it out.

“Oh, um…”

“I know, you want some too!”

“Please!”

William ordered for them, and a bottle of Californian Chardonnay. After a delicious meal, with Buffy stealing a good few fries off William, the sweet trolley was bought round, but everyone declined, and just had coffee and petit fours. The meal came to $178, William charged it to the room as his father had instructed. After they went and sat in the bar and chatted, they had quite a late night.



********************************
The following morning………

William zipped up his case and hauled it off the bed

“God……this case…feels like it’s got the kitchen sink in here…have you been putting stuff in my case?”

Buffy grinned and zipped up her own case with ease.

“One or two things!”

“One or two DOZEN more like…okay, I’ll get reception to hail us a cab to the airport, have you got everything?

Buffy pondered for a second, and then went into the bathroom, came back waving her toothbrush.

“What time’s the flight?”

William sat on his bed and took out the tickets

“The flight is at 2.10pm – we’ve got just over four hours”

“What shall we do?” Buffy asked

“Well, go say bye to everyone, but we must check in at least two hours before the light, so it says here”



Buffy and William had said goodbye to Benny, Franz and Carlo, checked out of the hotel, and made their way to the airport via a taxi.


The flight was smooth and trouble free, and their mom picked them up from the airport. As soon as they got home, Buffy did the washing, and both she and William repacked their cases for their holidays. Buffy tried to phone Willow, but Bernice Rosenberg told her that She and Xander had gone out with some friends.

“Um, Anna and um…oh I forget, sorry”

“Oh, Anya and Riley”

“That’s them” Mrs Rosenberg nodded, even though Buffy couldn’t see her. “Ok then thanks, bye”

“Since we didn’t go to the prom with them they’ve been joined at the hip with Riley and Anya” Buffy said, flopping on the sofa.

“Not jealous, are you – I mean, we ARE moving away” William reasoned.

“No, it’s just when we have this ‘farewell’ party, who will we invite?”

“Family”

“Yeah, but you know…who else? William asked, then he added, would you invite Willow?” resting his head back on the sofa.

“Not if they all come as a package, I can’t stand that Anya, she’s got a real attitude problem, and Riley could bore for the USA on how he goes ‘on manoeuvres’ with the ‘reserves’, whenever I see him, I have the urge to stand to attention and snap him a smart salute!”

“Yeah…I know what you mean”

“Come to town with me tomorrow, there’s a few things I want to get, tan lotion, some Sun-In for my hair, stuff like that”

“Ok…actually, I’ve got some books to take back to the library too” William said


*************




“They didn’t burn it down, or blow it up then” Buffy said as they passed Sunnydale High.

“They?”

“I don’t know, Angel and his cronies”

William drove on in silence. It irked him that she still mentioned Angel sometimes………he pulled up at the barrier of the underground parking lot and took a ticket. He parked by the elevator on the first floor, which they took up to the mall.

“Oh look who’s in Starbucks” William said, as they stepped out of the elevator.

“Who, oh, yeah, is it just them or…no, look, that’s Riley’s back”

“Xander’s seen us. We’d better go in, do you think?” William asked, looking from Xander to Buffy and back again. Anya moved her head and looked at them, Willow craned her neck and waved.

“Just wave, I’m not in the mood for small talk with Miss Attitude, I’m too tired…come on, I want to go in here” Buffy led the way into the department store, where she bought some lipstick and nail polish, some shampoo and conditioner and some bikini wax strips, and some for her legs too.

“Ah, but will it do you’re bum too?” William leant in and whispered cheekily
Buffy hit his arm!

“Cheeky, after I was thinking of buying you a prezzie too!”

“What, what, what? Tell me, tell me, tell, me!” William jigged about like a kid!

“You should streak your hair, it would look great”

“Yeah? – But, I couldn’t do it myself, could I?”

“I’ll do it for you, it’ll look great if you get a tan”

“Ok then pass me a box of stuff”

“I’ll buy it for you, my treat, you’re always treating me” Buffy put a box of streaking treatment in her basket.

“There you are, why didn’t you come in and say hello?” Willow grinned and grabbed Buffy’s arm.

“Oh, I could see you were with your friends, plus we’ve only just got here – can’t have coffee until we’ve done some shopping at least. I phoned you last night, when we got back”

“Oh, I haven’t been home yet, we all went out. Anyway, it was Anya and Riley”

“Yes, I know who you were with”

“Well, you know them from school” Willow persisted.

“Anyway William, find somewhere to live?” Xander asked

“Oh yes”

“And I got a job! – Um, um f-f-for William I mean…” Buffy said, going big eyed and red, realising her mistake, forgetting that nobody knew she was leaving with him yet.

“Oh, where?”

“Bookshop” Buffy said

“Coffee shop” William said, at the same time as Buffy, and then they reversed it.

“It’s a Bookshop that serves coffee!” Buffy said.

“Great, when do you go?”

“About mid August” William said

“And have you thought what you’re going to do?”

“Me…I’m leaving” Buffy said

“What, leaving school altogether?”

“Why not, get a job”

“Well, if you’re not academically inclined, or particularly bright, why take up a place somebody else could use” Anya said, walking over to them and butting in. Buffy wondered where she’d come from, and frowned at her comment.

“Well, phone me when you get a minute, tell me about the prom, I um, we must go, we’ve still got packing to do…Bye Willow” Buffy turned, her face hot from biting her tongue.

“Don’t let her get to you” William squeezed Buffy’s shoulder, and then added,

“Come on, I’ll let you buy me a coffee”

“What, and hair dye?” Buffy grinned and they went to the pay desk.

*********

Back home…

“OW!”

“Sorry…it’s just that I’ve got to pull strands though the holes with this hook” Buffy said. William was sitting on a stool in the bathroom with what looked like a swimming cap on, that had been punctured with hundreds of small holes that Buffy was pulling strands through to bleach.

“Feels like somebody’s digging into my scalp with a fork!”

“There, I think that’s enough…let me just check you look equal either side…hmm, a couple more this side I think………um…nope, still not equal, wait there… OH! Soon as I get one side done it loks too much the one side, right, ok, I think that’s it…you’ve got a funny shaped head!”

“No I haven’t!”

“Keep still…0kay now I have to paint this stuff on…put this towel round your shoulders, that’s it………”

“Tell you what…forget the streaks, just bleach the whole lot” William said, pulling off the cap

Buffy’s brows rose, then she grinned

“REALLY – Wow – okay, great!”

***

“Sure they’re closed, you’re not peeping?”

“Promise”

“Ok, open, you can look now Da-Da! ………what do you think? – I think it looks ‘fabulous, dwarling’!” Buffy said, grinning. William smiled at his reflection, turned his head right and left to look. Buffy showed him the back too.

“Great, thanks Buf, love ya!” he kissed her cheek. The phone rang downstairs.

“Buffy…William, one of you…” Joyce called up the stairs, leaving the receiver on the hall table. Buffy went downstairs.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Buf, it’s me”

“Oh, hi Will”

“Want to come to the Bronze, there’s a brilliant new band on, they’re called Witch Bottle…sort of grungy… White Stripes meets Nirvana, we’ll save you a seat if you want”

“Um…hold on, I’ll ask William”

“Will Mrs Angry and Mr Army be there?” William asked. Buffy giggled, quickly putting her hand over the mouthpiece.

“Look, don’t go to any trouble saving us a seat, we go on holiday tomorrow, depends what time we start out”

“Ok, one of the roadies is Riley’s next door neighbour, and we can get in early and get the best table to see the band”

“Yeah well, like I say, don’t go to any trouble of saving seats for us, thanks anyway, see you, bye”

“Gruesome twosome will be there, Riley’s a friend of one of the roadies…band sound good though, Witch Bottle, grungy, like White Stripes or Nirvana”

“Heard about them………who was it that told me about them…I know, Rupert Giles, he saw them in LA earlier this year, they’ve just got a recording contract or something”

“We can go if you want, haven’t got to sit with Willow, it’s up to you” Buffy said.

“I don’t know…see how I feel later”

Tiredness got the better of both of them, and they decided to stay in.

They following day they got their flight to Florida, and then Hank picked up a hire car, there was already another car for them at the villa, and Hank had told William he could use it.

******************************
The first couple of days it seemed that they just slept, went to the beach, came home, lounged by the pool and then went to bed………the villa was lovely, big spacious rooms, light and airy, huge patio with pool and enough of a suntrap to last well into the evening, and a barbecue area too.

It was day 3 of the holiday and Joyce needed to go shopping for supplies…

“Right, I’m going to the store, anybody want anything?” Joyce asked, picking up her purse and keys from the counter.

“Um…yeah. Would you get some more of this, it’s really nice” Will asked, holding up the ‘Florida Mix’ Orange and Grapefruit Juice carton, that he’d just taken out of the fridge.

“Will do…Buffy?”

“Conditioner…my hair’s gonna fizz in all this hot sun and chlorine in the pool”

“Well, you better come with me, I’ll only bring the wrong one, knowing you”

“Ok” Buffy went to go with her mother
Will and Hank went and sat out by the pool. Over the fence, the sixteen-year-old girl spied the hottie of her desires.

She’d been ogling William from her bedroom window for a couple of days now. She went and changed into her skimpiest bikini top, the one that showed off most of her well developed bust. She wandered outside, wondering just how to get the guy’s attention………

“Damn this thing!”

“What’s the matter, dad?”

“This virus scan won’t upload…I follow all the instructions, and I get to the bit where I press ‘run’, and it won’t”

“Have you read the manual?”

“Yes…I know… her father stood and continued, I thought it would be easy, just like the last one, it IS the same make after all…”

From over the fence he heard,

“William, quickly go tell your mom to get another couple of bottles of that nice Chardonnay we had last night will you, hurry, she’s just about to drive off!”

“’kay dad!”

“Hank?” A head appeared at the fence

“Hello, Hank?” Hank lowered his paper, and looked at the man.

“Bill! Didn’t know you were here?” Hank closed his newspaper and stood up going over to the fence

“I spied somebody arrive a few days ago, but I didn’t know it was you – how’s everything, you still at the Sunnydale branch then?”

“Yes, for my sins… so, how’s things with you?”

“Oh, you know…anyway do know anything about computers?”

“Not a lot, but my son a genius”

“Really?” Bill smiled William ran back from giving his mother the message and went to sit on one of the sun loungers until Hank called him

“This is Bill, he used to work at my place, he’s got a bit of a problem with his computer, would you help him?” William smiled and said,

“Sure! What’s the problem?”

***

“See, as it’s a totally new package, even though it’s by the same company, you need to ‘uninstall’ the old one, before it’ll accept this one, as this checks the binary codes and bits too, not just the binary codes like the old one” Will explained. He was standing in a kitchen practically identical to the one in their holiday home.

“Now…click ‘install’ on the toolbar… now press ‘run’…there you are, one installed virus scanner”

“This is where it used to go pear-shaped on me before!” Bill said smiling, his smile turning into a big grin when the words ‘Cobra Virus Scan installed’ William said standing up from leaning over the back of Bill’s chair

“Thanks William, you’re a star!” Will smiled, His dad grinned and started to talk to his colleague.

“Will’s going to go to Harvard”

“Is that right? –Wow, you must be very proud of him!”

“Oh, we are!”

“Hi” A girl in a very skimpy bikini top and very short, tight ‘Daisy Dukes’ came into the kitchen. She had long dark hair, and was very pretty.

“Hello”

“Oh, you fixed it then…dad’s been driving me mad all morning…I’m Holly” she held out her hand.

“Oh, um…hi, Will-William” he briefly shook her hand, and said to his dad,

“Well, I’ll carry on back round, there’s some reading I want to do”

“Oh, you going so soon?” Holly desperately wanted this hunk of salty goodness to stay…

“Um, there’s some things I’ve got to do” William didn’t know where to look, to try and be a gentleman, as Holly was fingering the halter string of her bikini top. William was embarrassed. Her father frowned.

“Holly, don’t you think you should…put something on?” he said a little sternly.

“I’m trying to tan, I came in for a drink” She snapped back.

“See you then” William went to leave.

“We’re having a barbecue tomorrow, come over…that’s ok, isn’t it dad?”

“What’s that, love?”

“I said for Wills here to come over to the barbecue tomorrow”

“Sure, bring the wife Hank, the family…”

“Um, not sure if she has something planned, I’ll see, can I let you know?” Hank asked, as Joyce had said something about that evening he couldn’t remember.

“Sure, no pressure…Larry Tate’s coming”

“Bye then” William headed on back outside; he vaulted athletically over the fence. Holly’s gaze didn’t falter watching him…

Joyce and Buffy came back from the store, and Joyce began to get lunch, Buffy wandered out poolside.

William was lying face down on the sun lounger, asleep.

“You asleep?” Buffy asked

“I was…”

“Sorry…”

“Buffy, ask Will if he wants a sandwich” Joyce called from the kitchen

“Please” Will called out.

“Where’s your father?” Joyce came out handing both of them a plate each.

“Next door, guy called Bill Travers, I fixed his computer for him while you were out.

“We’re supposed to be on holiday!” Joyce said, slightly exasperated.

“I didn’t mind” Will said, sitting up - and then he bit into his sandwich.

Will finished his lunch, and took his plate indoors. As he was coming back outside, a Frisbee from next door came sailing over the fence and landed in their pool.

“Sorry! Oh, Hello, again!” Holly beamed at Will over the fence.

Buffy looked up and then frowned looking at her brother. She thought, ‘again, what did she mean?’

William squatted by the pool edge, and tried to ripple the water, but the Frisbee just bobbed. So he stood, kicked off his sandals, pulled his tee shirt off and dived in to get it. He hauled himself out of the pool, Holly was almost salivating at the sight of William’s strong chest and six-pack abs…he threw his head back so his hair was out of his face, and he whipped the Frisbee through the air a couple of times to dry it.

“There you are!” he handed it to her with a smile.

“Why thankyou! I’m so sorry you had to get wet!” Holly lied. Buffy scowled, who was this bloody skank, eyeing up her brother?

“You’re welcome”

William turned and walked towards the outside tap, rinsed his hair as he didn’t want it to go green because of the bleach job he’d ha done, and then he sat at the patio bench and got a towel and started to dry himself off.

Buffy watched the girl watching her brother. Holly’s smile faded a little when she saw the look Buffy was giving her. She just hoped that it was his sister, and not his girlfriend.

Will walked into the kitchen.

“Is your father still talking, I want to go out in just under an hour, we’ve got a tennis match booked, and he hasn’t had his lunch yet…” Joyce said, looking at her watch.

“Shall I call him for you?”

“If you wouldn’t mind…”
William went back out and went to the low part of the fence.

“Holly…”

“Yes?” Delighted, she came running over.

“Is my dad there, only his lunch is ready and he and mum have got a tennis court booked in under an hour”

“I’ll get him for you”

“Thanks” She disappeared into the house, to come out a few seconds later.

“He’s just coming…”

“Thanks” William smiled and went to move away.

“Oh, Wills…do you eat meat?”

“Meat?”

“Yes, if you come to the barbecue”

“Oh, um yeah, yes I do” She smiled and nodded, and Hank came out saying goodbye to his colleague.
William could still smell the chemicals in his locks, thought he better go and wash the chlorine out of his hair before it started going green, and he headed indoors for a shower.

Buffy stayed out for another ten minutes, hoping the Frisbee would come over again, but of course, it didn’t, as Holly had deliberately thrown it over as she knew William was there…there was one thing Buffy did know.

She may not know the girl, but she didn’t like her…not one little bit. She went inside and up to her room, just as William came out of the bathroom, with just a towel round his waist.

“So, whose the skank?” Buffy asked petulantly

“Who?” William looked puzzled.

“Her next door, ‘little-miss-let-me-shove-my-tits-in-your-face” William frown/grinned.

“Well, her name’s Holly”

“When did you meet her then?”

“This morning…I went round to fix her dad’s computer as a favour, dad asked me to…Bill’s a colleague of dads. While I was fixing it, she came and introduced herself”

“I bet…could she be more obvious?” William frowned

“What about?”

“Oh don’t tell me you didn’t see her bloody tits in you face, she practically took your eye out with one of her nipples!” Buffy huffed, arms folded. William was puzzled.

“I didn’t notice” he said honestly, wondering why Buffy was pissed at him.

“Anyway, I’m dripping I’m going to dry off” William went to his room. Buffy went to hers, and slammed the door.

“What’s up with our Buffy?”
Hank asked as he came up for his tennis racquet.

“Don’t know, she’s got a snit on about something” William shrugged. He was now dressed in a towelling robe, sitting on his bed, playing with his Gameboy.

“Don’t forget to ask mom about the barbecue tomorrow” William reminded his dad.

“Good lad, I had forgotten!” Hank said, waving his racquet.

“Have a good game, and remember to watch your backhand” Will called

“I will, see you later” William heard them drive off. He put his Gameboy down, and lay back on the bed and fell asleep.

He woke to the sound of Buffy playing Nickleback loud enough to make your ears bleed. He yawned, scratched his head, and sat up. He could hear the shower running, and went across to Buffy’s room, and turned the CD player down to a more acceptable level, then went back to his own room.

The shower stopped two minutes later. After another few minutes, Buffy came into his room, dressed in her silky robe with her hair in a towel turban. She was still in a mood over ‘Holly’. Unfurling the towel from her head, she began combing crème rinse through her hair.

“Did you turn my music down?”

“Yes, just because you want to listen to it, doesn’t mean to say everyone else has to!”

“I thought you liked them!”

“I do, but I was asleep! And then there’s neighbours to think of”

“Huh, SOR-RY, interrupted your dreams about Holly, did I?” Buffy scowled.

“What are you…you’re jealous!” William said with a grin.

“No I’m not! – Of a skanky ho like her, I think not!”

“Yes you are, you haven’t even met her yet, and you’re already been nasty about her!”

“She looks a right tart! All coy and (Buffy put on a babyish voice) ‘Oh, sorry about that’ She fluttered her eyelashes and held her index finger to her lip as she said it.

“Gods, what is wrong with you, why can’t you see what she is?” William shrugged.

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to see, she’s a girl, that’s it as far as I’m concerned, nothing special about her” William said genuinely.

“Well she obviously fancies you like mad!”

“How can you tell? – You saw her for all of about what…ten seconds!”

“It was enough”

“Been invited to a barbecue at their place tomorrow night”

“You’re not going, are you?”

“We’ve all been invited, not just me. I don’t know, see what mom says, I’m not sure she’s already got something planned”

Buffy didn’t like doing things ‘en famille’ now, but whatever her mother had planned, Buffy would go along with it without argument, if it meant not going next door.

The following day was the day before they were due home, the week having flown by so quickly.

“Come on, let’s hurry up and get to the beach.” Buffy said to her brother, standing from a stool at the breakfast bar.

“Yeah, um, there’s a book I want, I won’t be a minute” William said.

“Ok, I’ll get the stuff ready”

“Ok…”

“Right, towels…check…sun lotion…check…Frisbee…check…changing tube…yup… thong, check…oh, talc … hmm………mom!” Buffy wandered into her parent’s bedroom.

“Yes love?” Joyce was sitting on the bed reading a leaflet, waiting for Hank.

“Got any talc? – gets rid of damp sand in tender places, I’ve run out”

“Sure, in our bathroom” Buffy went in and got it.

“So, you and William going to the beach?”

“Where else?”

“Your father and I are going to hunt alligators in the Keys!”

“Wow!” Buffy grinned big-eyed.

“Hey!” William paused in the bedroom doorway, then came in. Joyce ducked her head to read the title of William’s book.

“Computer Generated Programming Super Advanced level 6, Prof Tan, William, you’re on holiday!” Joyce said.

“I know…this is recreational…it’s fascinating!” William said, but, he looked if anything, fed up.
Hank came into the bedroom from taking a phone call from the boss.

“That was Tom, he say’s that we could stay on here another week if we wanted, He’s staying in Seattle a while longer, so Joyce, what do you say?”

“Hmm, few day’s maybe, but I really should get back, we’ve got that exhibition by Joachim Cortez start next Saturday, I really must be back home no later than Thursday, there’s so much to sort out”

“Ok, Buffy, William?” Hank asked.

“Sure I don’t mind!” Buffy said enthusiastically.

“Will, you want to stay?”

“Whatever” he shrugged.

“Oh, have you confirmed with Bill that we will be at his barbecue tonight?” Joyce asked her husband.

“Yes, did it earlier…Larry Tate will be there…that’s good for business!” Joyce rolled her eyes.

“This is supposed to be a holiday you know, you’ve talked shop practically every day, and William’s done nothing but read computer books…

William just shrugged again, he was bored, and would have really like to go home to his beloved computer, truth be known. Joyce knew there was something amiss, but didn’t want to spoil the day by trying to make him talk about things.

They all left the house, set the alarm.

“Don’t end up the ‘gator’s lunch!” Buffy called out to her mom.

“Why, where are they going?” William frowned as they turned right out of the driveway, and their parents turning left.

“To the Keys, on a ‘gator hunt”

“Oh, I wouldn’t have minded going to that”

“Oh, really?”

“Too bloody late though now, isn’t it?” William sighed. Buffy looked a little hurt,

“Sorry, I should have said.” she reached forward and turned on the radio, loud. William turned it down, without looking at her. Normally she would have turned it back up, but he looked annoyed, so she didn’t want to push things.
Chapter 19 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 19


Buffy dropped her bag on the sand, took out the towels, lay them down. She took off her sunglasses and kicked off her flip-flops, and then she slipped off her tee shirt and jeans. William just sat in his cut offs and tee shirt.

“Do my back?” Buffy handed William the sun lotion. She lay down and William put the cream on her back. She then sat up, put some on her legs and front.

“Want me to do your back?”

“No thanks, I’m not taking my tee shirt off”

“Oh. You ok?”

“Uh huh” She knew by his tone that he wasn’t. William lay down, rolled over, and opened his book, began to read, first draping a towel over the back of his legs so they wouldn’t burn.

“Fair’s fair, you lost the bet, you ask her!” The taller of the two males sighed and said,

“I bet she won’t go for it”

“Why not? – Anyway, you don’t know until you ask, do you?”

They hadn’t been lying down ten minutes, when a shadow fell over William’s book.


“Hi, Buffy!” She raised her head, flipped her glasses down from the top of her head.

“Oh, um, hi Gibson…Anthony” the two tanned beach bums set their towels next to her. They’d introduced themselves on the Monday, Buffy was friendly, William his usual quiet self, he couldn’t define it, he just didn’t like them.

“Reading again Billy-boy?” William didn’t say anything, just turned the page. Buffy gave her brother an anxious look, then smiled nervously at the two men.

“Oh, look what I can see…a Frisbee!” Gibson pulled it out of her bag, accidentally pulling her thong out with it.

“Oh, woo! Lookee here!” Gibson snagged up the little bit of elastic and lace and went to ‘twang’ it at his mate, but Buffy grabbed it and shoved it deep into the bag, going red.

“Do you mind!” Anthony took in the flame of her cheeks and grinned

“So, we gonna play?” Gibson whirled the Frisbee round on his finger, spinning it very fast.

“William?” Buffy asked.

“I’m reading” he said flatly, without looking up.
“Um, you two carry on, you can borrow it, if you want, I’ll just sit if you don’t mind” Buffy glanced at her brother and then she lay down. The two stood, began to throw.

“They’re only trying to be friendly” Buffy said. William ignored her, this was very unusual.

“What’s wrong?” Buffy asked, rolling onto her side and propping herself up on one elbow. She was biting her bottom lip.

“Gods” William let his head drop on the book, then raised it again a few seconds later.

“I’m TRYING to read!” he said testily.

“But Will, you can read anytime”

“Yes, and we can bloody sunbathe anytime too, we DO live in California, not bloody Alaska!” William said annoyed. Buffy blinked. That was the first time he’d EVER been cross with her. She had made him come to the beach everyday too. Thinking he’d be in a better mood if she gave him some space, she stood and went over to the two guys, leaping up and catching the Frisbee mid throw…

After the Frisbee landed on him a second time, William sat up.

“Sorry!” Buffy grinned

William said nothing. She dropped onto his towel.

“So, what’s the…Will…William!” Buffy began, but William stood, totally ignoring her, and walked off. Buffy was so shocked, he’d never ignored her before.

“Gods, is he always such a miserable git?” Anthony asked.

“What, no, he’s usually the life and soul, something’s wrong, I wish he’d tell me what” She watched as he went into the toilets, when he came out, he went and got a drink from the juice hut, sat on the wall in the shade. Buffy stood, put on her tee shirt and jeans, folded the towels.

“Can I have the Frisbee please?”

“Ah, you’re not going, are you? - - We um…we wanted to show you a special beach!” Anthony said, grinning at his mate,

“Special?” Buffy raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah…you um, you can go, er ‘au naturelle’…” Buffy might be thick, but she knew what they meant.

“No, um, no way, I wouldn’t g-go to a place like that!” She shook her head and began stuffing the towels into her beach bag.

“Why not…got a reasonable figure on you…nice tits, you’re not shy, not the way you’ve been parading round here all week, or are you REALLY just a little prick tease?” Anthony said, giving her a cold stare.

“OH!” Buffy snatched the Frisbee off Gibson and stomped up the beach.

“Big mouth – I said ask her, not fuckin’ insult her!” Gibson said giving his mate a dirty look.

“Well, gods, think they’re joined at the hip, and he’s her BROTHER, too close man, far too close!”

“You think?”

“He never took his eyes off us playing Frisbee!”

“I thought he was reading…hey, perhaps he fancied you”

“No, it’s not that”

“Don’t suppose we will see her again”

“Well YOU’VE blown it if we don’t...anyway, I don’t care…how’s your French?”

“French, why?”

“See those two over there…when we first passed them this morning, I heard the one say something in French…”

“What, the one just taking her…oh…oh…oh Yes! Whoops! The one whose bikini top just slipped up with her top!” Gibson said, grinning they picked up their towels.

“Come on”

“Will, what’s wrong?” Buffy asked. On getting no answer, she ventured,

“I’m sorry” Buffy sat on the wall by her brother, she continued,

“You were right, they were a couple of perverts, they wanted me to go to a nude beach with them”
William closed his book.

“Huh, and you said Holly was obvious!” Will said without looking at her.

“Want lunch, my treat?” Buffy asked.

“No, want to get out of this sun…I hate it”

“Well, ok, let’s go back, we can always laze by the pool – you can lie in the shade there”

Without saying anything, William stood up. They walked on in silence to the car. When they got back home, William went straight to his room, locked the door. That was some thing he’d never done before, they’d never locked the door to each other. After a couple of hours, Hank and Joyce came home.

“Oh, you’re back early” Joyce was surprised to see her daughter.

“Yeah…mom, I think…well, I don’t know…I think that I’ve really upset William”

“You think? How, what have you done?” Joyce asked.

Buffy went on to explain about Gibson and Anthony, how from the beginning of the week William hadn’t liked them, and telling her mom about the nude beach, but leaving the ‘prick-tease’ detail out, and how William had suddenly said how he wanted to get out of the sun. Joyce said nothing. She went upstairs, knocked on his door, got no answer. She thought he must be asleep, so didn’t even try to enter, she went to her own room to change and then went back down stairs.

“Want some?” Hank asked holding up the jug of chilled juice to Joyce.

“Hmm, please”

“William, want juice?” Hank asked, even though he couldn’t see him, he automatically assumed that he’d come down with Joyce.

“I think he’s asleep” Joyce said.

“Oh” They went out and joined Buffy on the sun loungers. She looked up hopefully to see William, felt sad when he didn’t appear.

“Will not coming down?” Buffy asked.

“I knocked…I think he must be asleep” Joyce said.

William wasn’t asleep; he was very much awake and thinking, lying on his bed. He wondered if it was going to work, Buffy living with him in Mass. She wasn’t very street wise, and he was sure that she was going to get ‘hit on’ with unfailing regularity, and he needed to study, not baby sit her…or perhaps he should just let her get on with it…he sighed. He drifted off asleep, and after about an hour, he woke to hear Buffy screaming and giggling.

“NO, dad, NO! Ah, DON’T YOU DARE, no…mom tell him…dad, no DAD! AHHHHHGGGGGGGGG!” There was a huge splash, and a shriek from Buffy. William guessed correctly that Hank had thrown her in the pool. He turned on his side. A couple of minutes later, Buffy came upstairs. He heard her go into her room, and the shower running. Ten minutes later, there was a soft knock at the door.

“Will, William are you…oh!” She tried to turn the knob. It was locked! He NEVER locked the door!

“William…William!” she began to panic, and knock loudly.

Joyce heard the panic in her voice, and the loud knocking and immediately worried, came running up the stairs.

“What, Buffy, what is it, what’s the matter?”

“He’s locked the door, he never locks the…” She looked worriedly at her mother. Joyce came up the last few stairs frowning. William opened the door wide, sounding and looking REALLY fed up.

“What’s the problem…where’s the fire?” William yawned and stretched in his doorway.

“Everything ok?” Hank stood poised at the bottom of the stairs.

“Yes” Joyce nodded.

“It’s ok, Buffy panicked because William’s door was locked.” Joyce said over the banister to Hank.

“But you never lock your door!” Buffy said, frightened. She’d followed him into his room; William sat with his back to her. He really wanted to shut her out! Buffy thought.

“Well it must have locked by accident, I don’t know, what’s the panic, no thunder storm, is there?” William lay down on the bed.

“No” Buffy said sadly.

“You ok baby?” No answer from either of them.

“William?” Joyce asked coming into the room.

“Oh, um, yeah mom fine…I’m just a bit tired” William said

“You have a rest before we go to the barbecue.” Joyce said from her bedroom opposite, then came back into William’s room.

“Hank and I will go round, do you two want to follow on later?”
Buffy shrugged, I don’t mind, what do you want to do, William?”

“Oh, asking me what I want to do, now the holiday’s nearly over…I’m not hungry yet, do what you want, I’m not going…” William shrugged.

Buffy felt tears prick her eyes. Joyce looked at her daughter and then at her son. William was lying down, his back to her and Buffy, and Buffy looked near to tears.

“Ok, what’s wrong?” Neither of them spoke.

“Buffy?” Buffy shrugged, said nothing, but looked thoroughly miserable.

“William?”

“Nothing mom…”

Buffy stood and went into her bedroom and slammed the door. A few seconds later, Hank stood in the doorway.

“What’s going on, what’s up with Buffy?” Hank asked from the hallway

“You tell me…are you sure you’re alright William?” Joyce asked, her hand on his shoulder.
William sighed, turned over to face her.

“I’m sorry mom, yes, I’m ok…want me to check on Buffy?”

“Only if you want to…have you two had a row?”

“No, I’ve been a bit of a pig to her, I got a bit pissed off at having to go to the beach everyday, I hate the sun! I wanted to do other things…still, doesn’t matter now, does it, I mean the holiday’s over. And I hated the two sex hungry morons that have followed her around all week, tripping over their tongues, she couldn’t see them for what they were, they’d got her clocked as some rich little valley brat they could hit on…and she wouldn’t listen to me, then yesterday she has a right go at me over Holly, a girl she saw for all of about ten seconds – I mean, I don’t even know the girl!”

“Who’s Holly?”

“Bill’s daughter” Hank said, grinning. Joyce smiled.

“Bless you…always looking after her!” Joyce kissed his shoulder, rubbed his arm. William sat up.

“I’ll go see her, say I’m sorry”

“Make sure she say’s sorry too. Anyway, there’s a good hour to go before we go round yet,have a rest and see how you fell then, okay!” Joyce said standing. Hank smiled, moved out of the doorway, and watched as William lightly tapped her door and went into Buffy’s room.

Joyce joined Hank in the hall.

“They’ll be ok, he’s just trying to protect her, that’s all…come on, let’s leave them to it shall we, they’ll be alright, she’ll absolutely HATE falling out with him, I know this spat won’t last long – come on, the coffee should be made by now, let’s leave them to it!” Hank said.

William sat on her bed. Buffy thought it was her mother, but as soon as she saw it was William she quickly sat up and cuddled him up.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” she buried her head in his neck, sniffing deeply.

“Shh…it’s ok…I’m sorry too!” His arms automatically went around her, and he kissed the top of her head.

“You hate me!” Buffy sniffed.

“Don’t be ridiculous…you know better than that, I could never hate you, I’d die first” William said. Buffy squeezed him even tighter.

I love you, I’m sorry!”

“I just got a bit pissed off at having to go to the beach everyday…I’m a Brit by birth you know…we don’t really like too much sun!”

“I was SO selfish…and I should have listened to you about those two creeps!”

“And I should let you choose your own friends” William said with a sigh.

“And where would I be? – Loads of trouble, or in a situation I couldn’t handle”

“Well, that’s what I was worried about…I know you’re not stupid, far from it, but you’ve got to get a little more… I don’t know, streetwise…you’re very pretty, and loads of guys are going to be hitting on you when you start at the café.”

“I promise you…I’m going to knuckle down, get some study done, I’m not going to date” Buffy said, William relaxed his hug a little.

“I love you Will…you scared me with the locked door, I panicked, thought you hated me, didn’t love me any more”

“Oh Buffy…that’s half the problem…”

“What, you don’t lo-“ Buffy looked at him round-eyed and worried again.

NO! - god’s…just the opposite…I love you TOO much, I’ve got to…you must be allowed to make your own mistakes…I won’t always be there for you…”

“Wuh-what, what do you mean?” Buffy looked up sharply, she knelt up and looked at him round-eyed, she could feel the panic well up inside her again, her stomach in knots. She grabbed his arm

“What, I mean how will you not be there?” William closed his eyes, tried to choose his words carefully

“Well, one day, you’ll meet someone, I mean, I’ll always BE there for you…but well…I might choose to work in England say…or Japan…it’s where the technology is…what I’m saying is…you’ve got to learn to stand on your own two feet, as much as I want to protect you…it isn’t fair to you”

“But…” her bottom lip trembled, and he could see tears dripping onto the bed cover, he couldn’t bear it, so he stood.

“I’ll um…I’ll see you later” He went back to his own room, closed the door, but this time, he didn’t lock it.


Joyce knocked on William’s door

“We’re of now baby, you will come round, won’t you?”

“I might, see how I feel…actually, I’m not all that hungry to tell you the truth”

“Well, you know where we are, see you later”

Joyce knocked and then went into Buffy’s room, sat on the edge of her bed.

“You know Buffy, Will was only trying to protect you, from those two lads”

“I know, and I’m very grateful, I was SO stupid…but he said…he said…” She started to cry again. Joyce frowned and sat down on the edge of the bed, she smoothed the hair out of her daughter’s eyes.

“Shh, now baby…don’t cry…what did he say?”

“He said he won’t always be there for me, and he should let me make my own mistakes, choose my own friends………he said he might leave for England or Japan”

“What! When?” Joyce asked alarmed, holding Buffy by the shoulders.

“When he graduates”

“Oh!” Joyce relaxed, she thought for one horrible moment that Buffy meant soon.

“Mom…what will I do when he’s gone?”

“You might have somebody of your own by then love, it’ll be four years yet” Buffy didn’t say anything, but she knew she’d never love anybody as much as she loved William.

You’re just a bit frightened of growing up…that’s all” Joyce reassured her daughter.

“I’m frightened of loosing my William, and that scares me most in the world.” Buffy said calmly.

Joyce patted her arm and stood up saying,

“Well honey, we’re off now, you know where we are, see you later”

“Yeah…bye mom, have fun” Buffy said on ‘autopilot’, she was staring off into space, trying not to imagine how awful things would be without her William…………

Roughly an hour later, Buffy heard William’s door open, and there was a soft knock on her door.

“You coming then?” William asked when she opened it – he stood there in his black trousers and tight white tee

“WHAT- But you said…I thought you weren’t hungry!”

“That was hours ago…I missed lunch don’t forget, and now I’m starving…got the smell of the barbecue coming in through my window”

“But it’ll take me an hour to get ready!”

“What- why? You’ve only got to get dressed!”

“And DO something with my hair, it’s gone like straw, even after practically a WHOLE bottle of stuff that’s turned out to be neither creamy, nor rincey! AND I’ve got to put make-up on – honestly, if I’d have known we were going!” Buffy grumbled

“I’ll see you round there then!”

“OH NO YOU WON’T, you’ll wait for me!”

“Not for a bloody hour I won’t, told you, I’m STARVING, all the food’ll go!”

“Why are you wearing your good trousers, what’s wrong with your jeans?” Buffy asked

William shrugged

“I only bought one pair of jeans and my cut-off shorts, they’re wet from the pool, and I’ve lived in those jeans all week”

Buffy tipped the contents of her make-up bag onto he bed, and bounce-sat.

She began to put on mascara

“My eyes are all puffed up – gods I look a sight…I could have done something about it IF I’d have known we were going out!”

William rolled his eyes and leant against the door-jamb. Buffy caught the look and stopped, mascara brush mid air.

“What was THAT look for?”

“What look?”

“That, that eye-rolling wish I’d shut up look!”

“Maybe it was just that – look, I’ll see you round there!” William stood up straight and ran downstairs. Buffy felt the tears stinging her eyes, and blinked rapidly. She looked in the mirror and could see little tiny black spidery lines above her cheeks from the wet mascara

“FUCK IT!” Angrily she threw the mascara wand down and marched off to the bathroom, the tears falling this time making her panda-eyed.


“WILLIAM!”

Holly’s face lit up when she saw the tall hunky guy standing in front of her

“Hi Holly!”

“Hungry?”

“Starving…what do you suggest?”

“Well…we have steak, or”

“Hold it right there, sounds good to me!”

Holly giggled

“Okay steak it is then, they won’t be a few minutes now…grab a plate, there’s bread and salad and that on the table over there…how do you like it done?”

“Well done for me, no blood”

“Me too – I remember once, we went to this restaurant in…oh I forget where, but I asked for my steak to be well done, and when it came the plate was swimming in blood, made me feel sick!”

“I bet…oh hi mom!”

“Where’s Buffy?”

“Oh, I left her getting ready, I was starving!”

Joyce smiled and nodded, and went back to Hank and the people they’d been talking to.

******************

Buffy tipped cleanser onto a cotton swab and savagely wiped under her eyes until the black smudges had gone. It was pathetic the way William was trying to get his own back on her for Gibson and Anthony, by flirting with Holly she thought.

She grabbed the mascara off the bed, along with her bronzer and lipgloss and re-did her makeup.

As her hair wouldn’t do anything she wanted it to do, like be straight and smooth or curl, Buffy tied it back into a ponytail and shoved a baseball cap on her head. She sniffed the underarms of a yellow tee she’d worn once this week, decided it was clean enough and slipped it on, along with her hipster jeans.

**********************


“Barbecue sauce?”

“Er...no thanks, I’d rather…” William picked up the bottle of Ranch Blue Cheese dressing and poured a liberal amount over his steak and salad.

“Ew, how COULD you – stinky stuff!” Holly wrinkled her nose. William smiled and said,

“Might be stinky, but it tastes great!” They sat at one of the tables

Holly wasn’t convinced, and poured the red barbecue sauce over food

“That’s one thing I remember about my dad – he used to drown everything in tomato sauce”

Holly looked across to Hank, William saw this and said

“Not him, he’s my dad yeah – but I was adopted when I was 6 years old, English by birth, my parents got killed in a car crash. I came to America and was very briefly looked after by an aunt, she was the only living relative see, but she got Multiple Sclerosis and she was in a wheelchair – could hardly look after herself, let alone a lively five year old like me!”

Holly looked at William wide-eyed and said,

“Oh god you poor thing, how terrible………so you’re English! I was trying to place your accent!”

“Yeah…you’d have thought I’d have lost it by now, growing up in California!”

“California! Do you know just how lucky you are?” William was chewing a large piece of steak

“What makes you say that?” he asked eventually

“WHAT! Oh come ON! Hello – CALIFORNIA!”

“So – I still don’t see what’s so special about it?”

“Well I suppose you wouldn’t living there…we USED to live there…till dad got it into his head that he was in a rut at Vernon and Henshall’s, and left to start his own company…now we live in Iowa of all places”

“Really, Iowa? Do you have electricity out there, running water? Or do you have to rub two sticks together to get fire, send smoke signals instead of telephone calls?” William asked grinning

Holly grinned too

“Cheeky!”

“There you are! Why didn’t you wait for me!” Buffy plonked her self down next to William

“We don’t send smoke signals, we use jungle drums instead!” Holly said

“Oh, I see…boom-buddy-boom-buddy-boom-boom-boom!” William said Buffy thought the pair of them had gone mad and she gave Holly a withering look

“Ooh, you don’t know what you’ve just said in jungle drum language!” Holly said, continuing the joke and ignoring Buffy

William chewed the last of his steak and sat back, patting his abs

“That hit the spot! – Anyway, Buffy, this is Holly, Holly, this is my sister Buffy” Both girls gave each other a false smile

“There’s food over there – (Holly waved in the vague direction of the barbecue) go help yourself, bread and salad on the table there”

“Thanks…want anything Will?”

“No ta”

“We have cheesecake – or gateau…that’s in the kitchen”

“Ah now cheesecake…” William said with his brows high and a grin

“Come on!” Holly grabbed William by the hand and raced into the house with him. Buffy saw this and nearly dropped her burger. She squirted barbecue sauce on it and slapped the bun top back on, and shoved it in her mouth, picked up her plate with one hand, and her drink with the other, she turned and made for they table Will and Holly had been sitting at,

“Buffy! – That’s not very lady-like…where are your manners?!” Joyce took the burger out of Buffy’s mouth

“Sorry…I ran out of hands!”

“You could have left the burger on the plate!” Joyce hissed

“Don’t start on me mom…I’m not in the mood”

“Have you seen William?”

“Yes, he’s gone in there with the skanky one” Buffy pointed a sauce-laden finger towards the kitchen.

“Who?”

“That girl, his daughter, what’s-her-face”

“You mean Holly”

“That’s it, knew it was some stupid name or other”

Joyce didn’t know whether to laugh or chastise her daughter, talk about the green-eyed monster of jealousy………

“Don’t be like that Buffy, she’s a nice girl”

“Take your word for it” Buffy bit the burger and chewed

“Mom…chocolate gateau in here!” William called out, pointing into the kitchen

“Oh William………you shouldn’t have told me!” Joyce grinned and made to go towards him

“Get me some will you – no, on second thoughts, I want to know what those two are talking about, I’ll go myself?” While still chewing, Buffy shoved the last piece of burger and bun into her mouth.

Joyce frowned and said,

“Serve you right if you get indigestion, eating that so quickly!” She followed Buffy into the kitchen

“Right then…did you say gateau Will?” Buffy asked

“There you go, plates and forks behind you”

“Did you tell Holly about the coffee shop I’m going to work in when we live in Mass?”

Holly looked expectantly at William

“Mass?”

“I’m going to Harvard next month, Buffy’ll be coming with me. We went there just before we came here, found somewhere to live and Buffy was lucky and got herself a job”

“Nice” Holly smiled and nodded once. She didn’t know why, but she felt disappointed. She knew that there was no chance of a relationship with Will, he lived in California, but going to Mass, going to Harvard put him so much more out of her reach…

“Holly………Holly?”

“S’cuse me…dad’s calling…Yes dad?”

“Ah, there you are, Larry’s come, he’s staying the night could you be a love and open the garage doors for him?”

“Okay” She smiled and left the three in the kitchen. Buffy put her plate down with the gateau half eaten

“Not a patch on the one we sell”

“Buffy!” Joyce admonished

“True! How’s the cheesecake?”

“Great!” William said, forking up the last mouthful

“But not as good as…”

“Well…possibly not, no!”

“I was thinking, tomorrow why don’t we have a picnic, we could ask Holly to come with us”

Buffy was just about to voice a protest, when Holly reappeared slipping the garage keys onto a hook by the refrigerator

“Ask me what?”

Despite Buffy having her back to Holly and making big eyed gestures to her mother not to ask, Joyce pointedly ignored Buffy and said

“Just a thought, we were thinking of going on a picnic tomorrow, we haven’t decided on a venue yet, would you like to come with us?”

Holly smiled and said

“That would have been great…but my mom’s coming tomorrow for the last week of the vacation bringing my brat brother, I’ve got to be here to help her”

“Oh never mind…it was just a thought, I bet these two will just want to go to the beach as usual!”

“Not me!” William said

“No…nor me” Buffy said quietly. It was Joyce’s turn to roll her eyes

“Holly…will you get some more burgers and sausages out please honey” her father called out

“Sure dad…”

Holly opened the fridge and took out a tray

“Here, let me help you with that” William, ever the gentleman carried the tray outside for her and helped put more on the barbecue.

“Can’t you try and be nice for once?”

“Me – what have I done?” Buffy asked

“Joyce…Buffy have you seen your mother any-oh THERE you are – I’ve been looking for you, come and meet Larry” Hank whisked his wife away and Buffy was left to ponder on what her mother had said about being ‘nice’ for a change.

It was true, if a girl had an interest in William, in Buffy’s eyes, she was never good enough for him, so she felt it was okay to bitch and call them names………

************************
Chapter 20 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 20


“William, have you seen Buffy?”

“Er no…hold on………look, her bedroom light is on, she must have gone back round already” Will said, pointing to the upstairs light that was on next door.

Joyce, Hank and Will walked back to their place, and once inside William said goodnight and took the stairs two at a time, going straight to his room.

Slipping off his trousers and standing in front of the wardrobe he hung them up on a hanger, when there was a knock at his door

“Yeah?”

“Will…can I come in?”

“Uh huh”

Buffy opened the door, and Will took off his tee shirt, standing there in just his briefs.

“What do you want to do tomorrow – I know the beach is out, so I was thinking shopping maybe?” Buffy asked hopefully.

“Shopping – no – once you’ve seen one mall, you’ve seen them all. They all have the same shops in them”

“Okay then…what?”

“Don’t know yet………why do we have to DO anything, we are supposed to be on holiday? – I might decide to just stay here” Will got into bed

“To be with Holly I suppose!” Buffy said sourly

William sighed and turned off the bedside lamp and said,

“Oh do stop being so bloody childish, I haven’t decided that’s all – goodnight, and don’t slam the…………………(SLAM) ……door on your way out” Will said the last five words to the back of the door.

**********************

William came downstairs rubbing his wet hair vigorously with a towel, which he threw over a stool. He opened the fridge and took out the juice carton and put it on the table while he fetched a glass.

The patio door slid open and Joyce came in holding two mugs

“Morning honey, sleep well?” She went over to the coffee machine and poured two mugs full.

“Great…so, got anything planned for today?

Joyce added milk to one of the coffees and began to stir it

“Well, your dad said something about a boat trip after lunch if you fancy it?”

“Sure, it would be nice to do something together”

Joyce smiled

“Would you like me to do you some toast?”

“You go and read the paper mom, I can do it”

William put two slices in the toaster, and sat at the breakfast bar waiting for it to cook. He poured himself juice and opened his book. Buffy came slip-slapping into the kitchen wearing he silky robe and mules. She hadn’t even brushed her hair and was yawning noisily.

“Morning”

“Hi”

“Any of that juice left?”

William nodded and slid the carton across the counter to her. Buffy raised it to her mouth and drank, William frowned

“Why don’t you use a glass?” Buffy paused and said

“Coz I’m going to finish it, that’s why” and again she raised the carton to her lips.

The patio door slid open and Hank came in, trying to get a better signal to his cell-phone

“I’m sorry Peter, can you say that again, there are some trees by the pool that block the signal…that’s better now what did you say?………………uh huh………uh huh………sure, no that’s fine, we were coming home on Wednesday anyway, my wife has a big weekend on at work, so we were cutting the week short anyway………absolutely sure, yes…okay then…………I will, bye”

Joyce appeared behind him

“Everything okay honey?”

“Yes, that was the boss, he said he knows he said we could stay another week, but something has cropped up and could I be back for Friday, I told him we were coming home Wednesday anyway because you’d got a big weekend on at work”

“Oh, don’t remind me! Well, that means we better make the most of the time we’ve got left, Will said he’d like to come on the boat trip with us after lunch, isn’t that right?”

“Yup!” he bit into a slice of toast, Buffy snagged the other one off his plate, and mumbled something spraying crumbs everywhere – which met with three disapproving frowns

“I said, is nobody gonna ask me?”

“Well, I was going to suggest I take us all to lunch, but with THOSE manners…” Hank began

Buffy rolled her eyes, and then looked pointedly over her mother’s shoulder

“What does SHE want at this time of the morning?”

Everybody turned and looked out to see Holly about to knock the door. Joyce slid the door back

“Morning Holly, what can I do for you?”

“Is Will there? – Only dad’s got a problem with his computer, and he asked me to-“

“Right here!” Will stood, drained his juice, dusted his hands off over his plate and while still chewing went out to her

“What’s the problem?”

“Something about emails…his password doesn’t work or something, and he’s got a load of emails he needs to go through”

“Come on then – won’t be long mom” Joyce smiled and nodded

William went round to Holly’s place.

“Huh…I bet she sabotaged it on purpose!” Buffy said in disgust. Hank rolled his eyes and Joyce just went back outside to her sun-lounger.

**********************

“I feel sick, all this bobbing up and down!” Buffy sat with a hand on her stomach

“Oh Buffy DO stop moaning, you’re spoiling it for the rest of us!”

“Sor-ree! – Gods – here’s me dying and NOBODY cares!”

“You shouldn’t have been such a piggy at lunch then, should you? Joyce said

“I had the same as Will!”

“Ah, but I didn’t have ice-cream AND whipped cream on my apple pie, and I didn’t have large fries”

“Well okay then practically the same…oh gods ‘m going to be sick!” Buffy knelt and leaned over the side of the boat, looking at her reflection in the water.

She wasn’t sick, and twenty minutes later when they got off the boat she felt wobbly legged.

“I tell you, I’m dying!”

“Oh do stop fussing Buffy – honestly, you weren’t this bad when you were a little girl!” Joyce said, getting more than faintly annoyed at her daughter’s constant carping.

“Oh, I spy a bookshop…you go on a head, I’ll catch you up!” Will said walking more quickly towards one of the shops.

“Actually, I’ve finished the latest Ruth Rendell, I could do with something else to read…Joyce followed her son into the shop.

“Shall we wait here honey?” Hank said, sitting on a bench that was outside the shop next door

Buffy plonked herself down next to her dad.

“What’s up princess?” he put his arm around her, and for the first time in what was absolutely ages, Buffy lent her head against her dad’s shoulder, allowing herself to be comforted.

“I think Will hates me!”

Hank chuckled

“You KNOW that isn’t true!” Her head still leaning she picked miserably at the rip in the knee of her jeans and said quietly,

“He doesn’t talk to me anymore…’cept to shout at me…EVERYBODY’S been shouting at me!” Tears of self-pity slid down her cheeks and she sniffed, wiping her eyes on the cuff of her coat.

William glanced outside and did a double-take.

“What’s up with Buffy?”

Joyce slipped the latest Jackie Collins back on the shelf after reading the blurb on the back deciding it was a little too racy for her, and after looking herself at the scene outside she said

“Oh, I think she’s feeling a little sorry for herself, that’s all”

“I don’t know why she thinks I’ve got a thing going with Holly…I mean, she’s a nice girl and all, but it would be stupid to start anything, we live so far apart, and I’m going to uni next month…”

“I know honey, take no notice, she’ll snap out of it, don’t worry” After making their purchases, they went back outside. Buffy was no longer being ‘cuddled’ by her dad

“Shall we make our way back to the car then? – Or does anybody else want to do something before we go back?” Hank asked

It was decided they’d go home, and they made their way to the parking lot. Hank said to Joyce,

“I was thinking honey, do you think we should have a barbecue to repay Bill for last night? Me meeting Larry Tate got me some good contacts, and I’d like to say thankyou”

“Hmm, barbecue sounds like hard work, it’s all the scrubbing and sweeping after, and we go home on Wednesday don’t forget…how about if we just invite him round to dinner instead?”

“Okay, we could do that…or how about if we took him out to dinner?” Hank suggested

“We’d have to invite Holly too” Joyce said, Buffy heard this and piped up,

“AND his ex Mrs, AND the brat brother don’t forget, they arrive today”

Hank pulled a face…

“Darn it, I’d forgotten about that”

“But you could just still ask him, it is his EX wife don’t forget, they’re on very good terms still, they are taking a vacation together, but they don’t live in each other’s pockets” Joyce said

“I’ll sound him out when we get back, if he says no, then we’ll have to work something else out, perhaps have him to stay when he next wants to come to California”



***********************

“Got everything?” Joyce stuck her head around Will’s bedroom door

“Yep…all packed, I’m just going to put them in the trunk of the hire-car, if you leave your cases at the top of the stairs, I’ll do it for you”

“Thanks honey, I think your dad’s feeling a little delicate this morning, he’s not used to drinking that late into the night – Bill can sure put some away!”

Will smiled and saw Buffy’s bedroom door open and her struggling with her case

“Leave it outside your door, I’ll put it in the car for you” William said

“Thanks…are you going round to say bye to Holly?”

“No, I said bye last night, besides, she said she’ll be helping her mom with Kasey, he needs his special exercises”

“Why didn’t you tell me her brother suffered from Cystic Fibrosis?” Buffy asked

“Coz I didn’t know myself until she said last night, besides, would it have made any difference, would you have been nicer to her just because she’s got a disabled brother?”

Buffy looked slightly shame-faced and dropped her head and shrugged.

“Right then, are we ready, we’ve got to be at the airport in just over an hour, and we’ve got to drop the hire-car back first…oh and that reminds me, Joyce where did you put the keys to the car that comes with this place?”

“Back on the hook in the garage, where we found them, now come on – the traffic on the freeway can be quite thick this time of day, I know it’s only 6 miles to the airport, but…”




********************************


Hank put the key into the lock at Revello Drive, relieved to be at home at last. He keyed in the burglar alarm number on the wall mounted keypad and the pre alarm buzzing stopped. They’d had a reasonable flight, but a long delay getting their luggage, and everybody felt tired and fractious.

Joyce smiled as she walked in, the lady next door, their neighbour for the last twenty odd years had put a vase of fresh flowers on the hall table, along with all the mail, neatly piled for each person in date order they came.

“Bless her – she’s so good we did remember to bring he a present, didn’t we honey?” Hank asked scooping up his mail

“Yes ‘WE’ did…I got her a figurine in that nice glass-ware shop in Haydensfield” Joyce said

“Good…god I’d kill for a coffee and something to eat…what was that supposed to be on the plane?”

Joyce was sifting through her mail and said

“The lord alone knows…tasted like baby pap. I’ll get one of the kids to ring for take-away, I’m not cooking now, besides, there’s nothing in, I’ll have to do a big shop tomorrow”

Over a Chinese take-away William was re-reading a letter he’d had from Harvard

“Mom, dad, listen to this! It says because of my exam marks, I will be able to take advantage of the uni facilities if I wanted to start one of my own private projects, coz I told them I was interested in AI, that’s Artificial Intelligence mom, and rather fancied writing my own programmes for robotics, automatons that could be used in either industry or ideally in the home, especially for the disabled”

“Wow William, that’s fantastic!” Joyce grinned

Buffy chewed thoughtfully and realised just how clever her brother was…what he’d just said, well, he might as well of said it in Swahili for all she understood of it, but then she wasn’t the brains of the family, and boy sometimes, she knew it.

Will put his letter down and continued eating when Buffy said,

“I’ve got a few party invites, for the two of us, fancy going to any of them?”

“Hmm, sorry – I was miles away, thinking”

“Parties, I’ve had some invites for the both of us, wanna go?”

“Oh, I’ll see, I’ve got lots to do before we move”

Buffy nodded sadly – she could feel him drifting away from her. She couldn’t help it, it was the way she felt – he’d done nothing specific, and to be fair, she knew he didn’t like parties, but there was just something that had come between them, and she couldn’t quite put her finger on it.





The Saturday of the exhibition at the gallery dawned bright and sunny and Joyce was busy at the gallery, one of the girls was out sick, and the other had gone on maternity leave, so it was ‘all hands on deck’, including Hank.

At 10.30am, William drew up outside the gallery in his mother’s Jeep, with two-dozen cases of wine. In a small ante-room that used to be used for storing pictures that had been sold, had now been commandeered into a makeshift kitchen. William, Hank and Jeff, one of the curators at the gallery carried the cases of wine in and put them in the fridge.

“We should leave the red out, shouldn’t really be chilled, should it?” William said, stacking the three cases of red he’d bought in on the floor by the fridge.

“So, what else can I do?”

“Well, you could finish helping Buffy sticking cocktail sticks in these wieners, then the cheese chunks, then there’s the glasses to be opened and rinsed…”

“Joyce, phone!” Some body called.

“Can I –“

“Leave it to us, go on” William said, washing his hands.

William came and stood opposite Buffy, he tipped a small pot of cocktail sticks into his hand, and began sticking them into the sausages.

“What’s cooking?”

“Oh gods, the volley-thingies!” Buffy ran to the oven, grabbing a cloth. She opened the door; they were cooked to perfection! Her shoulders relaxed and she smiled as she took the two trays of golden puff pastry bites out, and put two trays of raw ones to take their place. When all the cocktail sticks had been stuck in, they carefully covered everything in cling film. They were just doing the second plate, when Joyce came flying into the kitchen.

“The Vol-au-Vents –Oh, you remembered!” She relaxed as she saw them on top of the oven, cooling.

“Actually, that would be William!” Buffy said.

“Bless you, I forgot all about them until I smelt them! Anyway, Cortez be here in about and hour, they’ve left the airport, but he’s going to check into his hotel first, now, do I look ok, or should I change into a skirt?”

“You look fine, but, um…mom”

“What, what?”

“I’d take the rollers out, first!” William said.

“Wha-oh gods, I forgot I’d got them in!” She patted her head, and began to pull out pins, clips, and now cold heated rollers.
The phone rang, it was the gallery owner to warn Joyce they were about ten minutes away.

“Shall we start opening and pouring the wine, do you think?” Hank asked.

“Yes, um, three trays of white, one of red…Gods, have you seen all the people out there, and the media!”

“Oh, gods, look, isn’t that um, that chap, oh…what’s-his-name…Francis Dubois from CNN?”

“Hey, I think it is!”

“Rosie Robins from Chat is there too…look” Buffy said, pointing to a woman in a shocking pink suit.

“Where?”

“Just by that man holding that big furry microphone thing” Buffy said

“Oh yeah…she’s smaller than I thought!”

“Anyway, I’m keeping out of the way!” Buffy said. Both she and William went to help their father with the wine. Hank opened, William poured and Buffy placed them on the waiting trays. Next they put out small cartons of juice and small bottles of mineral water, with two trays of ‘upside down’ clean glasses.

By the sudden commotion outside, the frenzied clicking of the camera’s and flashes of the camera lights signalled the arrival of the artist. Joyce was photographed with him, and they gave a short interview to the Art Show host, Daniel Steele.

The first day was ‘ticket only’, and had sold out within hours. The press was allowed in, but, not to take photographs, there was to be a documentary made on the life of the young artist, who had literally become famous overnight, plucked from obscurity to paint one of the most important pieces of art that New York had ever commissioned, a mural for Ground Zero.

“Ok…is that lighting ok? – Could you stand slightly more to the left please, Joan…”

“It’s Joyce”

“I’m sorry?”

“My name, its Joyce”

“Oh, I do beg your pardon…bloody researchers…ok every body…quiet please…quiet…QUIET!” Somebody made a ‘shushing’ noise.
Daniel Steele looked at the camera and smiled, and said,

“Art Show, Cortez, at exhibition, Sunnydale Gallery of Fine Art…three, two, one,” A man wearing headphones snapped a clapperboard in front of their faces, then he said, ‘action’

“Hello, tonight we are here in the Sunnydale gallery to see the exhibition of one of the hottest new artists around, Joachim Cortez, his meteoric rise to fame is a true American dream for a poor boy born and bought up in a shack in Nicaragua………………Thankyou, Joachim, now, somebody who had a crystal ball six months ago, was Mrs Joyce Summers, part owner and responsible for booking exhibitions…Good evening” (he turned towards Joyce)

“Hello” Joyce said, not a trace of nerves.

“So, Joyce, did you literally have a crystal ball back in January?”

“Well, I saw some of Mr. Cortez’ work when I was on a trip to South America, I was in a gallery in Santiago, and his work just had something about it. A sort of indefinable unique freshness to it that really leapt out at me. I loved his subtle use of colour, but he wasn’t afraid to be bold either, and the contrast just works so well.” Joyce said confidently.

“So, Joachim, when Joyce expressed an interest to show your work, what was your first reaction?”

“I was…very excited…but also worried, I ask if they pay me to get to California!” He smiled at Joyce.
Is it true that you used to collect aluminium cans for recycling to get money to buy paint?”

“This is true…then once I sell picture to tourist, for $25, I thought I was rich…”
The interview went on for ten minutes, then Daniel did his piece to camera to wind up the show.

“…and cut! That’s a wrap!”

“Well done! – You must have done that before” Daniel said, so pleased that they managed it all in one take. He shook Joyce’s hand.

“Oh gods, I’m shaking like a jelly!” Joyce said. The cameraman was taking ‘arty’ shots of Cortez’ work, it was to be inter-spaced with footage of his humble beginnings, to the site of Ground Zero.

An hour later when all the shots required had been taken, ticket holders were let in, and refreshments served. Buffy managed to get a quick word with her mom.

“You were brilliant!”

“Oh gods, I hope you couldn’t see me shaking, I thought I was going to wet myself!”
The day flew by, and at just gone six ‘o’clock, they locked up. Joyce and Hank had been invited to dinner by the gallery’s other part owner, George Deakins, and the artist, plus a few others. They were delighted to accept.

“You take my car home baby…you sure you’ll be alright, there’s pizza in the freezer”

“Don’t worry mom, we’ll get take out, Mr Deakins has given us $100 each for helping!”

“Has he…oh, that’s nice”

“See you later then and enjoy yourselves!” William said.
When they got home, Buffy counted out five notes, offered them to William.

“Here, what I owe you”

“Oh, um, you sure?” Buffy nodded.

“I feel a bit bad in taking it”

“Don’t, you leant it me in the first place, you can buy supper though!”

“What do you want?”

“Same as you?”

“Um…actually, I was just going to have a banana, I’m not really hungry”

“Oh, I won’t bother then”

“Don’t be silly, here you are, I said I’d pay” He passed her a $10 note. Buffy just shook her head, and went into the lounge to watch TV. The phone rang, William answered it.

“Oh, hi Willow…yeah, she’s here…Buffy, Willow” Buffy came and took the phone off him, said thanks.

“I just saw your mom on TV!”

“Did you, what on?”

“The news, silly!”

“Oh”

“You sound fed up” Willow said.

“That’s coz I am…”

“Well, soon cheer you up, 12 days to go!”

“Until what?”

“Your birthday! – Honestly, what are you like, I bet you’re arranging it as we speak?”

“Arranging what?” Buffy asked perplexed

“Your big party!” Willow said excitedly

“Um…well… about that, I, I mean we, well it, it won’t be just for my birthday, it’ll be a farewell party too, if we decide to - ”

“Well sure it’ll be a going away party for Wills too, but no doubt you’ll see him Christmas…unless he takes up with one of the students…!”

“Takes up with huh? - What are you on about?” Buffy had forgotten they hadn’t said nything about her going to Mass with Will yet…

“William of course, bet he’ll have a girlfriend there by Christmas!”

“Oh” Buffy pulled a face, wishing Willow would shut up.

“Anyway, Willow continued excitedly, I’ve told Riley he can be designated driver, from your party, as he’s got to go for a medical the day after, so he can’t drink, that means the rest of-“

“Hold on, hold on, what do you mean, ‘you’ve told Riley he can be designated driver’?” Buffy said, frowning at the phone.

“Um…he can’t drink, so the rest of us can – you are having booze?”

“I don’t know, anyway, Riley isn’t invited, neither is Anya”

“What?! – But…oh. But they know about it, and sort of assumed that they were…oh”

“I don’t think they did any assuming, I think you did—gods Willow, anyone would think that you four were joined at the hip!”

“Well, they don’t have many friends, and I thought…”

“Are you surprised?”

“What………what do you mean?”

“Willow, every time Anya speaks to me, I have to feel if my heads still attached to my neck she’s so snappy, bloody hell, I’ve seen ‘gators with less snap than her, and as for Riley, gods, I want to stand to attention and snap him a smart salute…they bore me rigid”

“But…we won’t stop long”

“THEY won’t stop at all Willow, coz they’re not invited!”

“So when are you going to tell them?” Willow asked.

“ME?! – I’m telling them nothing, it was you who invited them, so it’s you that can un-invite them, Goodnight” Buffy said, exasperatedly

“Bloody good!” William said from the top of the stairs.

“Will…can I come up and talk to you…please?”

“Sure” he smiled and nodded.

Five minutes later, she put two mugs of tea down on the nightstand in his room. She stood behind him as he sorted out CD’s to pack in a box to take with them.

“Will…”

“Hmm?” He turned, found himself being cuddled up. He was stiff at first, then he relented and cuddled her.

“I’ve missed you, so much” Buffy said in a small voice

William had his eyes closed, his head resting on hers, he cuddled her up too.

“Don’t be silly, I’ve been right here!”

“No, you haven’t...you’ve been a million miles away from me!” Buffy snuggled in tighter and William relaxed a little more…

“And I’ve missed you…I’ve tried so hard to distance myself from you, to give you some space”

“But it’s horrible! I don’t want space, space is horrible and voidy and nasty! I feel like I’ve died…I can’t breath properly, some thing’s been missing, and my heart hurt so much I even WANTED to d-“

“A-a, don’t you dare say it” William warned.

“If you ever left me…I don’t know what I’d do”

“No doubt you’d get by”

“But I wouldn’t ” He didn’t argue, he agreed with her in fact…but…he sighed, would they ever be accepted as a couple? – Could they? What would mom and dad think?” William quashed these thoughts

“Will…you do still want me to come to Mass with you, don’t you?” Buffy held her breath after asking this, coz if he said no now…

“Course I do you Muppet!” he closed his eyes and cuddled her up. Buffy breathed a sigh of relief and she felt tears well up. There was a rather loud tummy rumble from one of them and Will said,

“Was that me or you?” He held Buffy out at arms length. She smiled, shrugged.

“Come on, I’ll phone for pizza! – you’re paying” she said

“Ok…and you can tell me what Willow said!”
Chapter 21 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 21


Buffy closed the door to the pizza deliveryman, and put the box on the table, they soon tucked in.

“Hmm, not as big as the one we had in Mario’s in Mass. You know, I can’t believe the cheek of Willow!”

“Not as nice either…what did she say exactly?”

“She said something about Riley having a medical the day after my birthday, so he could be designated driver so the rest of them could drink – I told her, what makes you think they’re invited, and Willow said she just assumed…well she can bloody well un-assume, and she can be the one to de-invite them too, cheek!”

“Yeah, too right…hey don’t hog the coleslaw!”

“I’m not…here! Um, got any more Bar-B-cue dip left? – Ta…………William…do you really want a party? – I mean, do you really want to have all the hundreds of girls around here crying their eyes out because you’re leaving?”

“I thought it was an eighteenth birthday party for you, really” William said, and Buffy shrugged.

“Not bothered…you didn’t have one”

“Well, that’s because dad spent $800 on a new computer for me, I didn’t want to appear to be greedy, plus, you know me, I don’t like parties”

“Well, thinking about it, there’s more people on my shit-list, than I would want to come, here are the people I DON’T want, ok? See if you agree,

“Anya”

“Check”

“Riley”

“Check”

“Willow and Xander…she’s pissed me off, and he won’t go anywhere without her”

“Check”

“Angel and ANY of his crowd”

“Check”

“Cordelia”

“Check”

“Harmony”

“Check”

“Aunty what-sit who never let’s you forget you were adopted”

“Not really…I don’t think she can help it! I suppose, we could go out then” William said, licking his fingers of tomato sauce.

“To the Bronze? Suppose… they’d all be there, it wouldn’t be too bad, would it – I mean, we could just up and leave when we felt like it? Although, thinking about it now, all the crowd we didn’t want here would be there….” Buffy said.

“So, what do you want to do then?” William asked. Buffy shrugged

“Just… just go out to dinner, you, me, mom and dad?”

“Well, to be truthful, I’d prefer that”

“Really?” Buffy looked at Will, who was nodding vigorously.

“I mean, if you wanted a party, I’d come of course, but like you say, I can think of plenty of people who’d spoil it, and they’d only be at the Bronze too, truth be known”

“Ok, we’ll tell mom and dad soon as we can”

“Ok, agreed” They both lay on his bed listening to music. Joyce and Hank got back just gone ten.

They could see that both Buffy and William looked happier.

“Have you eaten?”

“Pizza…mom, there’s something we want to talk to you about”

“Oh, what’s that then, love?”

“This party…or rather not…neither of us want one…we’ve discussed it, and there’s so many people we don’t want to come, like Willow invited Riley and Anya…we can’t stand them!”

“Well, she had no business to!” Joyce said, indignantly

“I know…I told her, she better un-invite them too” Joyce yawned.

“Can we discuss this on Monday, I’m so tired!”

“Sure…night mom!”

“Night Buffy, night William”

“Night mom”

“Night Dad” Buffy called

“Night Buffy, night William”

“Night dad”

“Night John-Boy!”

“Night Mary-Ellen!” Buffy and William said to each other, teasing, giggling. Joyce and Hank both smiled, they were back to their old selves…

“Told you they would be alright” Joyce nodded.



**************************************


“What, ALL night?” Angel asked with a grin

“Uh huh…think what we could do…” Cordelia purred.

“Um, yeah, great” Angel said, knew his dad would be either out, shagging HIS woman or drunk, so Cordelia being there would be great.

“Oh, one thing, change your bed sheets” Cordelia said

“What, why?”

“Just change them…I’ll see you at seven, bye”

Angel clicked off the phone, went to the airing cupboard, where he found two thread bare towels, a pair of orange curtains that wouldn’t fit any window, a couple of moth-eaten grey army blankets and a stained table cloth that only ever saw the light of day at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

“Shit…dad…DAD………DA-oh, there you are!”

“What?”

“Um have we got any clean sheets?”

His dad ambled through to him, scratching his two-day growth of beard, and swigging out of a beer can, he belched beery fumes.

“Clean sheets, why. Who are we expectin’ the bloody queen or something?”
Angel made a pained face.

“Oh I get it, you’re bringing a bird home”

“Well?”

“How the bleedin’ ‘ell should I know…that was you’re mother’s department” Angel thought about it for a moment, then went into his dads room.

“Eh, don’t you pinch my rubbers…I’ll need em later!” His dad watched him from the doorway. Angel knelt at the chest of draws, opened it.

“Don’t use ‘em!” Angel grinned up at his father.

“Just don’t get caught son, don’t let some bird trap you, getting herself knocked up like I was trapped…(Quickly changing the subject as Angel was the result of him being ‘trapped’) anyway, what you looking for?”

“Sheets, told you…ah, ha!” He pulled out some white material that looked like sheets. They smelt a bit musty, probably hadn’t seen the light of day for years…Angel stood and went out. Five minutes later, he’d had put them over the line outside and was liberally squirting them with air-freshner.

That’ll do he thought. He thought he’d better tidy his room a bit too, take all the furry green plates and mugs downstairs, hide his porno mags under the mattress…stack his cd’s…put all his dirty socks and underpants in a bag and stuff them in his wardrobe…he ripped down the old poster of Britney Spears dressed in school uniform…shit!

It had left a deeper coloured wallpaper behind it. He looked under the bed then wished he hadn’t, there must have been half a ton of cum filled tissues under there…He even went so far as vacuuming the floor and dusting (albeit with a pair of socks) his stereo system.

“Blimey, she’s got you pussy whipped!” His dad said, standing in the doorway grinning.

“What…no! I was sick of the stink in here anyway!” Angel said.

“Yeah…so was your mother” His dad added ruefully. Angel frowned and said,

“You can’t blame mom leaving on me…it was you shagging that freakin’ June or Jane or Joan, whatever her fuckin’ name is”

“Her name is Jeanne, and she might just become your step-mom…so show some respect. Anyway, what’s your poke called?”

“Cordelia” Angel said quietly.

“Ooh, lah-di-dah! Cordelia eh?…sounds right posh!”

“Give it a rest!” Angel said. His father farted loudly, Angel grimaced.

“No doing that in front of her, either”

“I won’t show you up…if I’m ‘ere that is.”

“Good. Going out then?” Angel asked hopefully.

“Lend us your car, son”

“No! I’m going out”

“Go on…lend us your car, and I promise to not come home before three o’clock, you and this um, bird of yours can have the run of the place”

“As if we’d want to…look at the state of the front room, you can’t bloody move for old newspapers, beer cans and take-away boxes!”

“Go on son…make it worth your while” Angel frowned, knew it wouldn’t be money.

“What?”

“There’s three big cans of Bud in the fridge, and…” he held up a bulky looking roll up.
Angel’s eyes went huge

“Is that…?”

“Best skunk available, few toots on that and you and your little lady will be joining the mile high club!”

“Where did you get it?”

“Ah, never you mind…”

“Ah, probably a rip off knowing you…just lettuce or nettles or something” Angel said.

“Look, it’s Kosher, alright, the biz, top gear, I KNOW, coz Jeanne’s ex old man grows it”

“She and him still friends then?” Angel asked surprised.

“Well, she knows about it, doesn’t she, told him if he doesn’t still cut her in still, she’ll grass him up to the authorities” Angel smiled and put the spliff in his cigarette packet, and passed his dad his car keys.

“It’ll need gas” Gus Stebson rolled his eyes. Angel grabbed his mobile, phoned Cordelia.

“Hi, sorry baby, dads got my car, we can’t go out!” Angel said

“Oh…I wanted to see Witch Bottle at the Bronze”

“We can go if you can get us a lift”

“I’ll see if I can borrow my mom’s car”

“Police bought it back then?”

“What, oh shit, I forgot…anyway, have you changed your sheets?”

“Yeah, I changed them” He was going to tell her what else he’d done, but didn’t want her thinking she’d got him under the thumb…



********************************



“I’m not going to say anything, I’m going to let her sweat a bit!” Buffy said to William, meaning she wasn’t going to tell Willow that the party was off, as they went to sit by Willow and Xander in the Bronze. William nodded in agreement, but didn’t sit, he stood, sipping his drink.

“Oh, um, those seats were for…” Xander began, until Willow kicked him.

“OW!” Xander rubbed his shin. Buffy gave Xander a sour look

“Well, don’t worry, when ‘OW’ turn up, they can have them…Willow, have you told them yet, that they are not invited to the party?” Buffy asked sharply

“Um…well I, erm…oh, er, um here they are now” Buffy stood up, and hissed at Willow,

“Tell them!” She and William walked off. After about an hour, Anya caught Buffy in the toilets.

“Ah, Buffy, I’ve been meaning to speak to you” Buffy was standing at the mirror, she turned and leant against the sink, she folded her arms across her chest. Anya went towards one of the cubicles.

“Just let me…(she jerked her head towards the toilet) first” She closed the door. Willow came bounding in.

“Oh, um Buffy…(she looked around, then mouthed pointing to the cubical)

“Is she in there?” Buffy with an annoyed look nodded, and whispered,

“Have you told her yet?” Willow wrung her hands, looked pained, glanced at the toilet door then back to Buffy.

“I’ll take that as a no then, shall I?” Buffy said, out loud, and without waiting for Anya, Buffy left, just as Anya flushed the toilet and came out. She washed her hands.

“Oh, where did Buffy go, I told her I wanted to speak to her, about the party actually”

“Um…about that…” Willow began nervously.

“Oh, come on, I love this song!” Anya said, making for the exit, ignoring what Willow had begun to say, but Willow didn’t immediately follow her.

“Well, come on, it’ll be finished before we get back out there!” Anya barked, and Willow quickly followed her out without another word.

When the set had finished, Anya stood up and scanned the room for Buffy, or William, he’d do. She couldn’t see them at first, and then she saw William move round the pool table and bending to take a shot.

“Ah, won’t be long, I just want to talk to William”

“No!” Willow grabbed her arm and pulled Anya back down to sit.

“”What, why not, I only want to know when the official invite is coming”

“Um, it won’t be…coming” Willow said.

“Oh. We just turn up at a certain time then…ok, I just wondered if it was a themed party, they seem to be the thing at the moment… Rachel Halliday’s parents had two tons of sand delivered to make their party like a beach party, and Tab Hill had a fancy dress…you surprise me, they seem the type to go with the herd and follow trends!”

Willow couldn’t say anymore. But luckily, Anya didn’t pursue the matter of wanting to talk to either of the Summers’ again that night.

While Xander and Willow waited for Riley to get the car, they saw Buffy and William. Buffy didn’t speak, she just raised a brow questioningly at Willow, who just sort of withered, and shook her head slightly, but not looking at Buffy when she did it. Buffy huffed and walked on.

“She STILL hasn’t told her”

“Well, she’s frightened of her, that’s why”

“So why do they go round with them then?”

“Search me” William said, pulling off the car park.

*********************************


At ten past seven, a loud bib on a car horn had Angel look out the window.

“Fuckin’ hell!” He breathed, she was only sitting outside in her mother’s BMW! Angel dashed out.

“How did you get it?” He grinned, running his finger along the door.

“Cops bought it back an hour ago, dad’s taken mom to her sisters in Pasadena, so he won’t be back before midnight, but so long as it’s in the garage by then, I figured they wouldn’t know”

“Sure you want to go to the Bronze?”

“That’s the only place I’m going, take it or leave it” Cordelia said confidently. Angel stared at the golden expanse of thigh she’d got on show, her very short skirt had ridden up exposing practically all of the top of her legs.


*******




Inside the Bronze, Cordelia said she’d just have a Diet Coke.

“Um babe, I’m a bit short…”

Rolling her eyes she gave him $10. The band was very good, and they had a good night. Outside they saw Nathan and Ged; they hadn’t got enough money to go in. Angel went over to his mates while Cordelia fetched the car.

They teased him about the hickey on his neck, he didn’t realise he’d got one, and were totally surprised when Cordelia pulled up in the BMW. She had heard the teasing, and smiled at the moronic duo and said,

“Think that’s good, you should see the ones on the inside of his thighs!” Angel grinned, jumped into the car and they sped off, Angel raised his hand in a wave, but didn’t look back.

“Fuckin’ ‘ell…d’you think she was joking?” Ged asked.

“Well SHE said it, not him…lucky bastard!”

Cordelia parked the car, totally unscathed in the garage and went into the house and put the keys on the counter in the kitchen. Her dad thought she was staying with a girl called Harmony, although he didn’t know her reputation.

“How are we going to get back to mine?” Angel asked as they came out of the house and she set the alarm.

“Erm, WALK, brain ache!”

“Oh”

“Heard of it, have you? – You put one foot in front of the other”

“Alright, alright…geez, you’ve changed…never used to be so…”

“So, what?”

“Bold…forthright”

“Don’t you like the new me?”

“Well, yeah!”

“You mean, you like it when I take control…!” She suddenly grabbed him, pushed him up against the wall, kissed him hard and gave his balls a squeeze.
Wow! He thought.

She broke the kiss and grinned.

“ Come on then, let me lock up and re-set the alarm” Angel followed Cordelia out of the house. She pressed some buttons on the keypad by the door, and an amber light came on.

“Come on, we’ve got 20 seconds to get out else the alarm will go off. I hope I can see the floor in your room” She began to walk on, swinging their arms as she held hands with him.

“Why…what d’you mean?” Angel asked, thinking she’d got some other kinky position for them to do it in.

“I went up to my cousins room once…gods the smell was enough to make you heave…dirty plates, festering pizza boxes, dirty socks and underwear, porno mags…got any porno mags?”

“Me, no!” Angel said quickly.

“Pity…”

“PITY?! – (This totally shocked him, and his eyes bugged for a second) Am I hearing right, I thought all you women went mad at things like that, hated it!”

“I like reading the problem pages”

“Um…my dad might have some” Angel thought how weird it would be, to be in bed with her, reading Razzle and Men Only!

“You can pick up some good tips too”

“Tips?” Angel asked, thinking that he’d never READ a porno mag in his life, except perhaps to check out the bird’s name and size of her vitals…only ever really looked at the pictures…

“Tips, you know, handy hints for giving better blowjobs, or good positions if you can’t do it the conventional way, or are just kinky…I read once about this bloke, who couldn’t do it unless he could hear ‘Onward Christian Soldiers’ being played on the organ.

Angel was still looking at her in total disbelief…

His father was a travelling evangelist, and when he heard that playing, he knew he’d be able to jerk off in peace as his dad was preaching and his mother was playing the organ and he wouldn’t be disturbed…thing was, unless he heard that tune, he couldn’t get it up, and the problem was, he was going to marry a Mormon or a Jew or something” Angel was open mouthed, this was the weirdest conversation he’d ever heard.

“See, here in no time” Angel looked up to find that they were outside his house. He let them in, saw his dad had made a token gesture at tidying the front room, well, he’d thrown all the beer cans, take-out cartons and boxes out and stacked all the old newspapers.

“Go straight up, first on the right” Cordelia did so. She (with a little trepidation) pushed open his bedroom door. It wasn’t too bad…strong smell of air-freshner, but it could have been worse, and she could see the carpet...

“Where’s the bathroom?”

“Um, top of the stairs, oh, um hold on”

“S’all right, I don’t want to go, just for future reference. Got anything to drink?”

“Um, got a beer I think”

“Ok, that’ll do” Angel went out to fetch it, did a quick de-tour via the bathroom, to check the toilet was clean. It was, his dad had even squirted some blue stuff round it! The three beers that Angel had been promised for lending his dad the car had dwindled to two, but he’d still got the spliff, and it seemed with this newfound rebelliousness, she would probably try it too!



************************




“But she’s said for me to tell them! Did you see Buffy’s face at the Bronze, she means it, Anya and Riley are not invited, and I’ve got to tell them —Xander, what am I going to do?”

Willow paced back and forth in her room, wringing her hands, looking really stressed.

“Well, tell them you made a mistake…tell them it’s for close friends only” Xander suggested.

“Would you-“

“Oh no. You did it Will, you should tell them” Xander held his hands up like somebody had a gun on him.
Willow sighed.

“Perhaps…” Xander started.

“Yes?” Willow looked hopeful, willing to try almost anything

“Well…perhaps you could pretend to be sick, and we could say we’re not going…”

“You think they wouldn’t go then?” Willow said hopefully

“We could ask them” Xander said

“Oh right, Anya, Riley, I’m planning on being sick the night of the party, are you still going?” That’d really work…

“No, ok, not sick then…say…say, I don’t know, you’ve got a family do or something to go to, and you can’t get out of it, and if you aren’t going, then I’m not, or I’m at your family do as I’ve known you like, forever” Xander said. Willow smiled and squeezed his hand, then she looked worried again.

“It would be a shame for us to miss it though…I quite like William” Willow said, then she saw Xander’s face.

“Oh, not like that, not in that way…you know, computer nerds together…you’re the only one for me, anyway, just because we didn’t go, doesn’t automatically follow that they won’t…” Willow said.

“I’ve got it!” Xander said, sitting up

“What?”

“We could send ourselves an invitation, pretending it’s from them, and when Anya and Riley don’t get one…they’ll get the message!”

“Yeah…?” Willow raised her eyebrows.

“We can do it on the computer –it’d be just the thing they’d do! –Well, William would do, anyway, come on, lets have a go now!”

Three parts of an hour later…………

“There, what do you think, this one, or………this one?” Willow held up two examples of party invitations.

“Um, that one…yeah, that other one looks a bit…childish? –Whereas that one looks great”

“So, cocktail glass at a jaunty angle it is then. What shall I put?”

“William and Buffy invite you to their birthday/leaving party?”

“Bit…(she wrinkled her nose) How about if I just say party?

“Ok, yeah…so, what time?”

“7.30?”

“Right, what date?”

“Oh gods, I don’t know!”

“Well, when’s Buffy’s birthday?”

“12th August, but that’s on a Thursday, do you think they’d have the party on the Friday or the Saturday?”

“Shall I phone them up and ask them?”

“NO!”

“Calm down!”

“No but, she might want to know why”

“Oh, as they’re not going, put the Saturday, if it turns out the Friday, we can just shrug and say I got it wrong…” Willow agreed and put the 14th

“Oh gods, I’ve just thought, Anya’ll have to see this, else what’s the point in doing it? – And if the dates wrong, they’ll know I lied!”

“Willow, you don’t have to show them the inside, just wave it around, or better still, leave it behind the clock, she wouldn’t touch it”

“Ok…gods, me and my big mouth”
The doorbell rang, and even though it was Willow’s house, Xander went and answered the door.

“Hi, we were just passing…we wondered this party of Buffy’s, what sort of party is it?” Anya pushed passed Xander without even being invited in. Riley followed………

“W-w-w-what do you mean, it isn’t a theme…” Willow stuttered.

“No, I know that! – No, is it just a leaving party for William? If so, what do we get him? Or is it a birthday party too? And, will you go halves on a present, or should we get them both one?”

“Oh, um…we er, we already got the um…p-p-presents!” Xander said.

“Yes…m-m-mom and dad put, you know, known them for y-years!”

“Oh, I thought they weren’t sending invites…ours is probably waiting for me, has she got our address?”

“Um…” Willow shrugged, turned her back on Anya and closed her eyes in agonised wretchedness. Xander could see that Willow was dying a thousand deaths.

“Um…are you going to um…watch the match tonight Riley?” Xander began to babble.

“Match?”

“Um, didn’t I see a match scheduled? Could be my mistake…” Xander rambled.

“Ooooohhhhh, my feet!” Anya said, kicking her shoes off and flopping on Willow’s bed.

“Be a sweetie and make us some tea,” she said cheekily to Willow.

“Um, dentist!” Xander said.

“W-w-what – oh um yes, golly is that the time…we’d better be going!” Willow jumped up, taking Xander’s lead.

“But it’s Sunday, what dentist opens on a Sunday?”

“My dentist does, Mr G-G-G-Goldberg, Jewish, he closes on a Saturday, opens on a Sunday!”

“Ready Xander?”

“Sure”

“Hold on…I shouldn’t have taken my shoes off, I’ll never get them back on now!” Anya griped

“Well, just carry them to the car, come on, it’s five to now, and her appointments for a quarter past, and she’ll have to do her breathing first, else she’ll wig out!” Xander said, practically pushing Anya out of the door. Willow and Xander got in his car, and they drove off.

“Gods, do you think they believed us?”

“What about, the dentist or the invite? … Gods, I wish I hadn’t done it now…oh my gods!”

“What, what?!”

“What if she phones up Buffy, to check she’s got her address…oh gods! Oh gods, oh gods, stop the car, I’m gonna be sick!” Willow had the car door open before Xander could stop he practically stood on the breaks, causing the car behind to have to brake suddenly too, and the driver angrily bibbed his horn and shook his fist, shouting about ‘crazy kids’.

Willow retched, and was hyperventilating, she had the passenger door open.

Xander put his hand on Willow’s back, patting it concernedly

“I’ll be okay, you’ll see!”

“You think? I DO hope so!” Willow said, and despite Xander’s encouraging pat, Willow felt no better
***************************




“Hello?”

“Hello, Buffy?”

“Yes, who is-“

“It’s Anya, I’m only phoning as I know Willow and Xander have had their invitation to your party, and as we haven’t had ours yet, I was wondering if you knew my address?”

Buffy’s face went like thunder, and she said, but as calmly as she could.

“You want to know the reason why you haven’t had your invitation?”

“Yes”

“Ask Willow!, must go” Buffy put the phone down. She went into the kitchen.

“Would you believe the cheek of the…hold on, invitation, WHAT invitation?”

“What’s up, who was that?” William asked.

“Anya, asking me if I knew her address as they haven’t had their invite” Buffy explained.

“Invite? Invite to what?” William asked puzzled………



Later on that afternoon, a shame faced Willow and Xander stood in the Summers’ hallway.

“Well, come on, we deserve an explanation at least!” Buffy said angrily.

“I’m sorry, ok!” Willow said, she was near to tears again.

“Buffy, she’s been through enough today, without you having a go too” Xander put his arm protectively around Willow’s dropped shoulders.

“Been through enough?” Buffy asked brow arched. William sat on the stairs, and said,

“Well, go on, fire away, we’re all ears, aren’t we Buffy”

“Yup, and don’t leave anything out”

“It was my idea…I thought that, well, if we pretended to get an invite, and they didn’t, they’d get the hint” Xander said

“But they turned up, out of the blue, and she saw the invitation and asked me if you knew her address, then I get all panicky, thinking she would phone you, like she did, and we made some story up that I had to go to the dentists, and we dashed out”

“Dentists, on a Sunday?” Buffy frowned.

“Jewish dentist, we said he closed on a Saturdays” William blinked once, shook his head.

“She was panicking, I was nearly rear ended, then she threw up” Xander added

“What are you on about…” William asked getting more confused by the minute

“Why didn’t you just tell Anya in the first place?” Buffy asked, arms folded

“I wish I had now…anyway, just what is an ‘anal-retentive juvenile delinquent’ anyway?”

“Is that what she called you?”

“That’s what I heard, the rest was swearing and shouting”

“Well, learned your lesson I hope” Buffy said.

“Oh yes, zip! From now on!” Willow mimed zipping up her lips.

“Are we still invited?” Xander asked, looking at them ruefully

“Er, no Xander, nobody is, because we’re not having one”

“What? – No party? Why not?”

“Because we don’t want one, either of us” William said.

“When did you decide this?” Xander asked, surprised.

“Couple of weeks ago, we discussed it while we were on holiday, didn’t we?” William said, fibbing.

“Yes” Buffy nodded

“What, you mean…she’s…I’ve…” Xander began.

“You mean you put me through all that and you knew that you were never having a party after all!”

“Yup!”

“Well, that’s just plain mean, how COULD you!” Willow was in tears now.

“How could I? - Excuse me, who bought this upon themselves, eh? Who invited somebody to something they had no business to in the first place?” Buffy said angrily.

“Come on Willow, let’s go.” Xander said, taking Willow’s arm

“When this gets round Buffy…”

“What, don’t think anyone’s going to invite you anywhere if they think you’ve got the gruesome twosome in tow, tell me, have you had invites from Marsha? Or how about Cameron and Neil? Or um…thingy, oh, what’s his name Will, his dad owns the fishing and hunting shop in Lakefield” Buffy closed her eyes, clicked her fingers trying to think.

“Nick Richards” William said.

“Yeah, Nick Richards, going to be a good one that, a film party theme, got to go as someone from the movies”

“Well, have you?”

“No” Xander said quietly.

“So, who are you going to go around with when William goes, because I’m really not sure we can be friends with you now” Xander said, looking at Willow.
William got up, opened the front door and said,

“Well, Buffy won’t loose any sleep mate, coz she’s coming with me” Xander looked surprised, looked from William to Buffy

“Yeah?” Buffy just nodded, smiling.

“See ya around…” They left, William shut the door.

“Do you want to go to the Richards’ party?”

“Well, I was thinking I could go as Sandy from Grease, and you could put on black trousers and a tee shirt, that old Elvis wig of dads, and go as Danny Zucco, what do you reckon?”
With eyebrows raised, he said,

“You do realise, that with pants that tight, you won’t be able to eat, drink, dance, walk, breathe…”

“I know…just a suggestion…!”
chapter 22 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 22

“Are you and Will going out tonight?” Joyce asked. She was sitting at the dining table making a shopping list. Buffy had come wandering in from the kitchen

“Um…don’t know, it’s Marsha’s party tonight, but we didn’t RSVP, so I don’t think she thinks were going…we could just drop in, I don’t think she’d mind, why anyway?” Buffy said, between bites of toast and honey

“Well, I’ve actually got your father to take me to the theatre, and I thought, make a night of it – go to supper afterwards at that little bistro place opposite The Mercury Theatre, I’ve booked us a post-theatre supper – so if you don’t go out, I’ll leave you money for take-out”

“Kay…have you seen Will?”

“He’s gone to see………Alan is it?”

“Alan who’s he?”

“His father owns the computer shop in town, I think?” Joyce asked

Buffy shrugged

“Anyway, he said he’ll be back by lunchtime, Joyce continued, and then you can tell me if you are going out”

****************************


At twenty to three, Will came into the kitchen carrying two thick folders

“Where have you been?” Buffy came bounding over to him

“Sorry, got side tracked at the library…needed to do some photocopying – is there a problem?”

He sat down and Joyce asked him if he was hungry

“Starving!”

“So, what do you think, I phoned, she doesn’t mind”

“Sorry what was that?” Will turned to Buffy

“Marsha, I phoned her coz we didn’t RSVP her party invite, but she said it’s fine if we still want to go to the party, as long as we don’t bring you-know-who”

“Who’s that?” Joyce asked depositing a sandwich in front of Will.

“Willow, Xander, Riley and Anya”

“They don’t like Willow, I find that hard to believe! – Do you want ketchup Will?”

Will lifted the corner of the bread and nodded

“Please ma”

“Willow – don’t you believe it mom, she can be a right-ow” Will tapped her shin lightly with his toe and shook his head slightly, so Buffy shut up

Joyce appeared with the ketchup

“She can be what?”

“Oh, you know…childish” Buffy said off-handedly.

Will squirted ketchup liberally over his sausage sandwich

“So, shall we go – mom and dad are going out” Buffy said

“If you like”

Buffy grinned and stood up

“Great! I’ll go and start getting ready!”

Will looked at his watch…at least a good 5 hours to go yet!

*************************************

Angel woke with a start - he shifted his head but the bed next to him was empty. He went to call out to her, but then he noticed a note propped up against his clock………

Dear Sleepy-head, had to be back before dad gets home, shopping this afternoon, I might have a surprise for you, call you later, C xxx

Angel let his head flop back against the pillow. He smiled to himself, last night had been good – hell, who was he kidding- it had been fucking fantastic! And now she’d got a surprise for him huh? Life was sweet! He turned over thinking he’d have a couple more hours shut-eye, he was exhausted, all this athletic sex was knackering!

***********************************


“Hi babe!”

“You’re awake then!” Cordelia said with a giggle

“Of course………sorry I was out-for-the-count when you left, I had a rather an………athletic night!”

Cordelia giggled again and said,

“Complaining?”

“Me, no siree!”

“Good…busy?”

“Nope, why?”

“Fancy coming over for a swim?”

“Yeah, great!”

“What about tonight?”

“Nope, nothing planned, why, whaddya have in mind?”

“You’ll see! Get yourself around to my place in………about an hour? – No, say for three o’clock” That would give her an hour and twenty.

“Dad hasn’t come back with my car yet”

“Then get a cab!”

“I’m a bit broke!” Cordelia sighed

“Get a cab, I’ll pay, just be there okay?”

“Sure, three it is then, Bye!”

**

Cordelia saw the cab pull up on the drive, Angel got out. She’d only been in about ten minutes herself, after being out to town shopping. She opened the back door, dressed in a tightly belted kimono.

“It’s um…$12,” Angel said, meaning the taxi fare

“Here, tell him keep the change” Cordelia passed him $20, and the taxi driver winked at Cordelia as he drove off. The house was lovely and cool, and Cordelia opened the fridge, took out juice. Angel had given up on the trunks, they were moth eaten and too small, but he’d put on some new boxer shorts he’d had for last Christmas.

“I’ve been shopping…”

“Oh yeah?”

“Bought you a few presents”

“Oh?”

“They’re in the den, come on” Angel followed her through. On the table He could see several designer carrier bags.

“Right…first of all…you have too many clothes on…” She moved towards him,
giving him a sexy look. She could smell he was clean, smell the shower gel, so she didn’t suggest he have a shower.

“I got you these…” she took out a pair of swimming trunks. Angel smiled.

“Great!”

“And this…and these” She took out a cream linen shirt, and some designer black pants.

“Very nice!”

“You’re not annoyed with me, think I’m trying to change you” She put her arms around his neck.

“You buying me presents? S’great!”

He kissed her, pressing her to his hardness. She smiled, ground her hips up against it, making them both groan.

“So…what have you got on under here, eh?”

Angel pulled at the belt. The kimono opened to reveal the tiniest bikini, just an arrangement of tiny taut, black triangles.

Sliding one of his hands up to her breast, he gently massaged, he felt the nipple harden.

“Wait…” Cordelia went and locked the patio and back doors, and then she led Angel upstairs to her room. Tumbling to the bed, they made love for a couple of hours.

********

“God, I’m starving!”

“Oh, um, got some cold chicken and some salads” Cordelia said.

“Ok” He turned on his side, looking at her.

“Thought we could go out tonight…somewhere nice…There’s a nice restaurant called Luigi’s, ever heard of it?”

“Sure…I’ve heard of it, never been though, w-a-a-a-y too expensive for the likes of me!”

“Well…got you a few more presents…some nice loafers and a beautiful jacket…I’ll give you the money first so it looks like you’re paying…want to go? – you like Italian, other than pizza I mean?”

“Sure, love it…are you sure?”

“Sure I’m sure!”

“But…”

“What, baby?”

“It’s you that keeps paying!”

“I don’t mind, anyway, it’s not me…mommy dearest did a whoopsie-butter-fingers and dropped her American Express card on her bedroom floor before she left…and she owes me, boy does she owe me”

Angel was sure what to say about that so he quickly changed the subject.

“Hey, got us a treat later!”

“Oh?”

“Dad borrowed my car”

“Some blow?” Cordelia asked, smiling.

“Yup, two!”

“Great, we can have one when we come home!”

“Come home from where?”

“You’ll see!”

“Sure we won’t get interrupted?”

“Positive, dad’s staying at the hotel he’s having dinner at, and the locks are all changed, so she can’t get in, she’s back in Pasadena, anyway, although she can go to hell as far as I am concerned!”

“I could get used to this…living with you…it’s just the best!”

************************


WILL-YUM!”

“I’M IN MY ROOM”

William’s bedroom door opened and Buffy stood there naked! At least that’s what William first thought when he looked at her before quickly looking away

“Will you put some clothes on!” his cheeks felt red-hot with embarrassment, and he was ashamed the effect she was having on his body………

“I have…what do you think, huh?”

Thankful that he was at least lying face down on his bed and she couldn’t see his initial reaction to her, he risked a quick glance at her

“New jeans and camisole, OR that black dress I bought in Mass, nobody’s seen it here” Buffy held up a hanger with each outfit on

Looking again Will could see she was wearing a peachy/gold push-up bra and panty set, but it so matched the colour of her skin, that’s why initially he thought she was naked

“Are you okay, you look very warm?”

“I’m fine!”

“Well?”

“Oh um the er…the d-dress, yeah, wear the dress”

“Okay!” Buffy turned and William got the perfect view of her bottom cheeks just peeping out from under the hi-cut panties.

He groaned and let his head fall onto his book

She really MUST start putting clothes on………his body reacting the way it was could end up being really embarrassing………

Buffy grinned to herself as she went back into her bedroom

“Score!” she said softly – She’d wear him down, she’d decided that there was nobody else for her but William…with any luck, she’d have worn him down by the time they got to Mass………


*****************************



“Look, I told you…EVERYONE’S there except us, even Buffy and Will, he’s borrowed his mom’s SUV, look, it’s parked next to Marsha’s dad’s car!” Willow said sadly from the passenger seat of Xander’s car.

“Everyone except Riley and Anya…”

“Maybe Buffy and William were right, maybe we’re not going to get anymore invites until we drop those two!” Xander and Willow exchanged rueful glances

“Come on…this pizza’s getting cold” Willow rolled the window up, and they drove off from outside Marsha’s house.

“Oh gods, what now…can’t they take a hint!” Xander said, as he pulled up outside Willow’s house.

“There you are! Thought you’d gone to the party after all!” Anya said. Willow and Xander got out of the car

“Thought you might like a game of Trivial Pursuits” Riley jiggled the box.

“What, special ‘army’ addition, is it?” Xander whispered to Willow, making her smile.

*************************

Meanwhile, back at the party………


A very pretty girl called Kelly had cornered William while Buffy went to the toilet. Will was holding Buffy’s drink, and when Buffy came back, she took her drink off him, and stood next to him. Kelly looked pointedly at Buffy and said,

“Isn’t that man trying to attract your attention?”

“Who?” Buffy said, looking around not seeing anybody. Kelly looked exasperated.

“Aren’t you hungry”

“Yes, I am, actually, but the food isn’t quite cooked yet” William grinned

“Excuse us!” Buffy said, snagging her brother’s arm and leading him away.

“Do I get a thankyou for rescuing you?”

“Rescuing me?”

“From the clutches of the Evil One!”

“Kelly’s evil?”

“Oh very. She uses men then tosses them away like old worn socks when she’s finished with them”

“Well I can assure you, she wouldn’t have used me”!

“No, coz I didn’t give her the chance! Come on, I like this song I wanna dance”

As Buffy lead Will through the room to were the dancing was………

“Hi William…Hello Will…Hi, gorgeous!” Three blond bombshells walked past, William had gone red, much to his sister’s delight.

“Oh, um…h-hi!”

“You’ve gone all…” Buffy grinned at her brother’s high colouring. They were stopped again…

“William, I hear you’re leaving!” A very beautiful Hispanic looking chick pouted full red lips at him. She had long black hair, big brown eyes and an hourglass figure, which was greatly accentuated by her figure-hugging deep red velvet dress. Buffy hated her on sight. She didn’t even know the girl, just hated her all the same.

“Um, yeah, yes…going to Harvard, you know” he’d coloured up again. She leant forward and whispered something Buffy didn’t hear into William’s right ear, patted his chest and left smiling

“Saved you again by the looks of it!”

“What, from Maria?”

“Morticia more like………What did she say to you anyway?” Buffy demanded

“Erm, nothing, it was nothing! – Come on, or your song will have finished before we’ve had the chance to – oh” Just as he was going to say dance, the song changed, then was turned down and somebody called out that the food was ready.

“Come on Muppet, I’m starving”

Buffy stood for a second or two, in her best black dress, hair up, makeup perfect, diamond earrings on, and he STILL called her ‘Muppet’… with a huge sigh she resolutely followed him to the barbecue.

********************************


“There…wow, you look gorgeous!” Cordelia said admiring Angel in his designer gear.

“Do I?” Looking in the mirror, he DID look good. Cordelia looked stunning in a strapless little black number, she put in diamond earrings that winked in the light. She’d put her hair up, and her makeup was flawless. Angel wasn’t so sure about the tie, and fingered his neck, but he stopped when he got a warning look from Cordelia. He picked up the jacket and went to put his arm in the sleeve.

“No, don’t put it on, just carry it draped over one shoulder, by one finger…like this…that’s it” The black linen jacket draped perfectly. They heard a horn blow.

“That’ll be the taxi, come on, right, have you got the money?”

“$200, in the money clip, yes” He’d never had so much money in his life before.

“If only Ged and co could see you now!” Cordelia teased. As she let Angel out of the door first so she could set the burglar alarm. Angel got into the cab, forgetting his manners about holding the door and letting Cordelia get in first. She’d let it go for now…Whilst they drove along, it suddenly struck Cordelia that she hadn’t ever seen Angel eat with a knife and fork off a plate before…she prayed he’d got some refinement, and didn’t eat with just a fork in his right hand, or eat off his knife, she’d die…or what if he used the wrong cutlery? Shit! She should have made sure…

“You ok?” Angel asked.

“Fine!” She smiled. They got to the restaurant. Angel paid the cab when Cordelia went big eyed and nudged him.

“What…oh, um yeah, sorry, how much?”

“$18”

“Twenty?” he whispered to Cordelia

“Twenty five” Angel passed over the money and the cab left.

“Now, don’t think I think you’re a complete ignoramus, but if there’s lots of knives and forks…”

“Work from the outside in, I know, went to a posh wedding once” Cordelia relaxed a bit, and looked at Angel to open the door for her.

“I booked in your name” She whispered. Standing there for a few seconds, it suddenly dawned on him to open the door for her. They went inside.

“Um table for two, Stebson”

The M’aitre D ticked them off in his book and said,

“This way, sir, madam” They followed him to a quiet table, and were passed menu’s, the wine waiter came up and gave the wine list just to Angel. He hadn’t got a bloody clue. He’d had some Champagne at this wedding, and thought it nothing better than fizzy vinegar…

“Ooh, darling, could we have some of that nice Rosé we had last time…the St Emilion Rosé, the 87, it was delicious!” Cordelia said.

“What the lady wants!” Angel said, closing the list, and smiled at the waiter; the wine waiter bowed and left.

“Thanks…wasn’t sure, you know, don’t drink wine…had some champagne at this wedding…thought it tasted like um…what did my dad call it…oh yeah, those fizzy hangover tablets gone wrong!”

Cordelia prayed that he wouldn’t have soup, or cut his bread roll with a knife, he had or did neither, in fact, all in all, apart from draining the glass of the wine instead of sipping it to try, his manners were quite good. And by the time they’d reached coffee, she’d relaxed.

“Titchy little cups!” Angel said, the demi tasse dwarfed in his large hand. He offered her the last chocolate mint.

“We should get some chocolate in for later!” He whispered.

“Already have…” Cordelia said, draining her wine glass. He must admit, he could get used to this, and the wine she’d chosen, wasn’t too bad, he felt quite mellow.

“More coffee?”

“Not for me…Brandy and a cigar would be nice, though” Angel said, so they both had a cognac apiece, and Angel lit a cigar. Yes, indeed, this was the life! He’d loosened his tie, and Cordelia thought he looked so sexy.

“I’ll get them to call us a cab…waiter!” Angel called

“Sir?”

“The bill please, and would you call us a cab?”

“Certainly sir” The bill came to $90.

“Hundred and ten, do you think?” Angel counted out eleven notes. Cordelia had nodded. He left the money on the saucer.

They got into the cab, and Angel was just about to give Cordelia’s address when she stopped him and said,

“Take us to Belair Heights Sunnydale” the taxi circled and pulled away from the restaurant

“Who lives there?” Angel asked sitting back

“Marsha De Montroi, she’s having a party tonight and as the night’s still young, and you look so yummy you look fit enough to eat, I want to show you off!”

Angel raised his brows in a bemused fashion…yes, there would be a few surprised faces around he wouldn’t mind betting…

On the way to the party, the cab passed Sunnydale High they saw Ged and Nathan, pratting around by the school gates.

“Honestly…just look at those two jerk-offs, couldn’t stand it when they were there, now they can’t keep away!” Angel said grinning.

To say they made an entrance when they arrived at the party was a slight understatement! The stage whisper that went through the crowd about Angel dressed up spread like a forest fire in a drought.

Buffy stopped, chicken drumstick half way to her mouth

“Hi-carrumba!” William looked at Buffy, then to where she was staring

William grinned and whispered,

“I bet he can’t even pronounce those designer names he’s dressed in!”

“I bet ‘daddy’ will be overcome by the smell of burning plastic the amount of shopping old Cordy’s done on his credit card today! That’s Valentino she’s wearing…and Manolo’s…I swear that’s a Boteng jacket he’s got on…yup, and Fioretti pants…Tag Hauer watch – Gucci loafers!” Buffy looked Angel up and down, he certainly scrubbed up well…

The hoo-har soon died down and and everybody returned to their own conversations after clearing hearing from Cordelia that ‘no, they wouldn’t be stopping for Barbecue as Angel had take her to Luigi’s for dinner’

“Always thought that was his level, just like his father, living off a woman!” Audley, Marsha’s boyfriend said to William

“Yeah, I mean who are they trying to kid, that’s GOT to be Cordelia’s doing, you don’t get Gucci loafers and Tag Hauer watches on food-stamps and disability payments do you?!” Agreed Will

**

“CORDELIA!” Harmony called out waving

“Hi Harmony, wasn’t sure you were here – hey, what’s the matter, have you hurt yourself?”

“It’s the new boyfriend!” Harmony hobbled and sat back down

“Where is he? – Can’t he dance or something?”

“I don’t know, it’s not the feet that’s killing me, it’s…she nodded subtly to her nether regions

“He’s insatiable…5 hours straight, and he’s massive!” Cordelia had to smile at Harmony’s grin

“What’s his name?”

“Well, if EVER a guy was aptly named, it’s Dick – actually it’s Rick, but Dick suits him better…WOW is that...boy have YOU been shopping or have you been shopping?!” Harmony spied Angel for the first time.

“Oh, you know, just one or two things I picked up while I was spoiling myself...” they both looked at Angel for a few seconds and then she said, do you like?”

Cordelia turned her head from side to side showing off the diamond earrings

“VERY much...real thing I take it?”

“Course, and here…coz you were such a good friend to me, I treated you too!” Cordelia put her hand in her Prada bag and drew out a small box

“F-for me? – I, Oh Cordy!” tears welled in Harmony’s eyes, nobody had ever been that sweet to her before

“Don’t be silly, now when the stud-muffin gives you a break, give me a call okay”

Harmony nodded and hugged Cordelia, then Cordelia waved a little goodbye and they left.

“Still thick as thieves those two…” Buffy said turning back to her brother. He had three girls around him

“Can’t leave you alone for a second, can I?” Buffy wanted to shoo them away like dogs…

“Will, come on, let’s go over there!”

“Over where, I haven’t finished eating yet!”

Buffy heard the one girl say,

“I’ll just get a pen”

“No need, he’s going to Harvard, he’ll be studying, I’ll be vetting his calls, come on Will…”

“Oh, but my burger…” Buffy took the plate off her brother, and left the girl open mouthed!

“We can get take-away on the way home, I’ve had enough of it here!”

“It’s not my fault these girls come and talk to me!” William said

“Didn’t say it was!”

“No, but you’re acting all snotty like you THINK it is!”

“Oh, leaving already?” Audley asked as he saw Buffy open the front door

“Tired, and we’ve got packing to do………lots to be sorted before we move, you know!”

“Sure, well, keep in touch!”

“Will do, anyway, we might make it to one or two of the other parties before we leave, depending on how much we get done”

“Sure, see you!”

They walked to the car, William said

“So…what take-out do you want?”

“Let’s try that new Thai place on the Meredith Highway, s’posed to be real good!”

Will pointed the key-fob at the car and the central locking system opened with a dull clunk.

“Thai huh…getting exotic in your old age!”
chapter 23 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 23


“Did you two enjoy yourselves last night?” Joyce asked as she opened the fridge door she spied several foil take-out cartons and smiled

“The barbecue no good then at Marsha’s - who was it you went to for take-out?” Joyce asked, smelling one of the rather pungent containers

Yawning and scratching Buffy mumbled some name, and reached for the juice carton, opened it and drank deep

“BUFFY! Use a glass!

Buffy, breathless from drinking renewed her stance and drank from the carton again, draining it.

“Had Thai – boy was some of it was hot!”

“Thai? – Is there a Thai take-away around here?” Joyce asked surprised, taking a quart of milk from the fridge

“On the Highway, next to the veg shop, it’s where the old craft shop used to be”

“How’s the packing going?”

“I’m about half done…trouble is, every time I go to pack something, I keep thinking I’m going to need
it before I go, so I don’t, but then it’s left on my bed, so then I put it back in the draw!”

“You should be like me!” Will said coming into the kitchen

“Morning honey…tea and toast?”

“Please ma!”

“Go on then, HOW should I be like you?” Buffy asked, pulling put the stool next to her and patting it. William sat and said,

“As regards packing! See, all I’ve done is allowed my self a change of jeans and tee shirt, two changes of underwear, and I’ve left my best trousers and shirt out for when we go out with mom and dad for your birthday, everything else is packed”

Buffy looked scornful

“I don’t know what I want to wear for my birthday yet…I might get something new…then we might go to a couple of parties yet”

“What’s wrong with jeans?” Joyce asked

“Can’t! Nathan’s party is a theme party – movie theme!”

“We going to that? – I thought we’d passed on that one?” Will fell on the two slices of toast his mother put in front of him

Buffy shrugged

“Hey mom, you should have seen Angel last night – he looked like a dogs dinner all dressed up in designer gear!”

Joyce pursed her lips and said,

“Hmm, the less I see of that young man, the more I like it…so got himself a job has he – to be able to afford all these expensive clothes?”

“Huh, you’re joking mom – Cordelia’s shelling out for it, not him!” William said sipping his tea.

“Well I can’t see Cordelia’s parents standing that!”

“Joyce honey, have you seen my briefcase at all? – Morning Buf, Will” Hank came into the kitchen

“I think it’s in the den”

“Hi dad”

“Morning dad!”

“Oh, Buffy, your mom tells me you want to go out for a meal for your birthday, just the family, is that right?”

“Yeah – don’t mind do you?”

“Of course not Princess – I think it’s a great idea – I thought we could have a blow-out at the country club or something – special anyway, as it will be our last time out as a family for a while. The den you say honey?”

Joyce sniffed and nodded – the thought of her ‘babies’ leaving home made her tearful

“That’s it, if it’s going to be swanky, I’ll need a new outfit!” Buffy said

“You and me both!” Joyce said

“Oh god…there goes my bonus!” Hank said smiling as he left the kitchen.

“I’m off too – dad, can you drop me off in town?”

“Sure!”

“Where are you going?” Buffy asked

“Ah, now THAT would be telling!” Will winked at her and got up off the stool

Joyce knew it was to go and get Buffy a birthday present.

“Can I come?”

“Nope!”

“Oh but-“

“You can help me – I’ve got a system worked out for your packing”

“But mom – I’ve TOLD you, every-“

“This is for other stuff, curtains, towels, sheets, kitchen stuff, things that make a place a home – we need to get it parcelled up and Fed Ex’ed to Mass else you’ll be there with nothing to sleep on or dry yourself with!” Buffy sighed

“Okay!” – She’d got a sneaking suspicion what William was doing anyway!


********************************

“See - Blue for bathroom stuff, Red for kitchen, green for the bedroom and yellow for the lounge, that way, you haven’t got to open loads of boxes to find what you want” Joyce explained the coloured stickers on the sides of the boxes of all the packed possessions.

“Now, is there anything else?”

Two hours had seen towels, curtains, sheets, pillowcases, cushions, pots, pans, plates, cutlery and various kitchen accoutrements all parcelled up ready to go. Joyce was on her knees sticking address labels on the sides of the boxes.

William came in from shopping

“Wow, you two have been busy – I feel guilty!”

“Don’t – we had a good time didn’t we mom?”

Joyce smiled – she’d had a nice chat with her daughter, something she hadn’t done in a long time.

“I saw Nathan in town, he said to drop by the party regardless if we’re in costume or not, he understands that we go at the end of the week” Will said

“Great! – So what did you do in town?” Buffy asked grinning

“Oh, you know…looked around nothing special – is it okay if I go up and have a shower mom?”

“Sure honey, I’ll be right in there after you!”

**********************************

“Do you think she’ll be very disappointed?” Hank asked as Joyce told him that they’d left it too late to book either the country or the golf club for dinner for four.

“I hope not, so I booked our usual place, I’m sure she won’t mind, she loves the food there anyway”

“Listen honey, I thought I’d write her a check rather than giving her that much cash – I know our Buffy, money burns a whole in her pocket, she’d have it spent sooner than blink!”

“Actually, she told me when we were packing, she was going to put it in the bank and save it, in case she needs something for school”

Hank looked mildly surprised and then smiled

“Our little girl growing up at last huh? – Oh hey honey, don’t get upset”

“I know…but they’re my babies…and they’re leaving home!”

Hank cuddled Joyce up

“They’ll be fine love, and if they don’t like it, well, they know there will ALWAYS be a home here for them” Joyce nodded and sniffed.

*************************

Cordelia was fuming. She’d gone to town and left Angel in bed, and now she was home, he was nowhere to be found, but the house looked like a pigsty. PLUS, he’d gone and left the patio door unlocked, and ANYBODY could have got in.
Angrily she flipped her mobile open and called him – getting his voice-mail as he was switched off.

Slamming about, Cordelia started to throw away empty beer cans, a wine bottle, juice carton and then she wiped the counter of crumbs and peanut butter.

Upstairs wasn’t much better either, the bed was unmade, a wet towel was on her bed, and one on the bathroom floor, and some of his old clothes were thrown in the corner of her room too, the socks stinking the place out. She promptly opened her large bedroom window and threw the lot out, jeans and all.

It was then she noticed the designer jacket she’d bought him just casually thrown over the back of her chair. This made her see red!

“I see, treat a $1500 jacket like a bit of rag, would you!” Cordelia hissed out loud

She left it where it was and went downstairs.

***************************

“And who in HELL – ugh – don’t tell me, they belong to your skanky little ho I suppose!”

Angel’s mother was holding up by the very edge of the lace a thong, and was looking at it like it contained every disease known to man. She threw them at her husband, who caught them, and at least had the decency to look sheepish.

“Anyway, I’m giving you both notice to quit – you’ve to be gone by the end of the week!”

“WHAT- now have a heart love – where am I supposed to go?”

“I don’t care, I’ve been onto my lawyer, this property is in MY name, so I’M the one entitled to live here”

“But love –“

“Don’t you ‘but love’ me! Do you think for one lousy minute I work two jobs to keep a roof over our heads just so you can screw around when my backs turned huh?”

“Where can I go?” Angel’s father protested

“Oh I don’t care- perhaps that skank of yours can put you up – just be gone by Friday – you as well”

“But mom – what have I done?”

“You chose to stay here with HIM – you could have come to your gran’s with me, but no – so you’ve made your bed as they say!” She disappeared into the kitchen

“It’s all right for you, YOU can stay at your woman’s house – practically have done this last week – has she got a spare room?”

“NO SHE HASN’T…and I’ve got to get back there before she comes home from town else she’ll go ape-shit at me – what did you call me for anyway?” Angel groused at his father

“To see if you could talk some sense of reason into your mom”

“Well, why can’t you do as she suggests, and go stay with Jenny or whatever her name is?”

“Because she lives in a trailer, it’s got one bedroom and she has to share that with her 14 year old daughter…”

“Sorry Dad, I’ve got to go…oh shit – SHIT! I bet I’m for it!” Angel took out his mobile and saw he’d missed 4 calls, all from ‘Delia………

********************************


“Do you think she’ll like it?” William opened the box and showed his mom. Joyce wiped her hands on her apron and came over to her son, she put one hand on his shoulder, and she held the box with him with the other hand.

“Oh William, it’s beautiful…she’ll absolutely love it, I’m sure. She’d love anything you bought her, she always has”

William smiled, then hearing Buffy’s and their father’s voices as they came back in from the garage, he quickly snapped the box shut and hid it behind his back, slipping it into his back pocket and covering it with his sweat shirt. Buffy was holding an envelope in her hand, she waved it and said,

“From old Mrs Koprinski next door…she’s a dear old thing, never forgets our birthdays. Do you think…I mean, I don’t want them, and mom doesn’t want them…can I give her that bouquet Aunt Susan sent me, otherwise they go in the bin, she might enjoy them” Buffy asked, ripping up the card from the flowers. Joyce shrugged.

“Do what you want honey, they’re your flowers! – And I’LL take that, it can go with the other’s, you’re not opening it until Wednesday!” Pulling a face Buffy surrendered the envelope, and picked up the unwanted two-days early for her birthday bouquet

“I’ll take them round”

“I’ll come with you, might be the last chance before we leave to say goodbye to her” William held the door open for his sister as they made their way back to the neighbours house.

*********************************

“Delia…DELIA COME ON BABY! I’m sorry, okay?” Angel was sick of pleading, his voice was croaky and he’d had enough of sitting on her back doorstep.

“………An absolute filthy PIG! AND you left the patio door open, what if my mother had turned up, my dad’s just spent hundreds of dollars changing locks and alarm systems, and YOU leave the freakin’ place unlocked, MORON!”

Angel sighed, she’s been ranting at him now for over an hour about how he didn’t deserve nice things, yadda, yadda, yadda………truth be known, he’d have fucked off after five minutes, but after the ultimatum his mother had given to him and his dad, well, he needed somewhere to stay…

He patted his pockets for a smoke, opened the packet and found one proper cigarette, and four spliffs – he smiled, he’d forgotten about those…he lit up one – just to take the edge off Cordelia’s whiny voice………

Feeling peckish and thirsty, Angel looked for money in his pocket, and found a good few dollars he hadn’t spent the other night………grinning, having smoked half a joint, he felt almost like he was floating and slightly unsteadily made his way to the 7-11 to get some beer…perhaps he’d catch-up with his mates there…


**********************************


“Oh babe, don’t worry, he’ll SOON come crawling back”

“Y-y-you think?” Cordelia sobbed to Harmony

“Of course! He knows he’s onto a good thing, and he loves you!”

“No he doesn’t!”

“Yes he does – look, come to Nathan’s party with me and Dick”

“No…I’ll be okay!”

“Go on, you’ll be doing me a favour…we’ve been in bed all day and I’m getting real sore! I need to party, we’ll pick you up about nine okay?”

“Okay, if you’re sure!”

“Sure I’m sure – I bet he’ll be there waiting for you” Harmony said

“Nine then, bye”

***************************


“What do you mean, ‘where’s Cordelia?’ She doesn’t fuckin’ OWN me y’know!”

Ged looked disbelieving at Angel, a friend of his brother’s had told him all about how Angel had turned up at Marsha De Montroi’s party in a few thousand dollars worth of designer schmutter.

“So what have you been doing then?”

Unsteadily Angel tried to think….he’d been with Cordelia….trotting around dutifully after her carrying bags for her like some jerk off…or fucking her………or talking with her. He scowled

“I’ve been around!”

“Not at the pool hall – or the Bronze for that matter!” Marco said

This began to needle Angel

“Coz those places are for fuckin’ loosers like you! We saw you, the other night...round by the school gates – I mean what do you want to hang round there for – could never stand the fuck – ooh shit…you could never stand the fucking place when you were there – now your left!” Angel had missed his mouth and split lager on his best shirt, he tried to wipe it, but all he succeeded in doing was to make a dirty mark on it so he left it.

“Wan’ some?” he unsteadily held out the can

“Er yeah…cheers”

“Don’ drink it all though!”

“Here” Marco passed the can back to him after taking a swig

“Give some to...to ‘im!” So Marco passed the can to Ged

“Hey guys…keep…(hic) keep a secret…got some really good shit here…wanna try some?”

Ged looked uncertain

“I better not”

Angel screwed his face up, nearly overbalanced and said

“Knew it! Fuckin’ chicken, tha’s what you are!”

“No I’m not!” Angel lit the half of spliff, inhaled deeply and passed it to Ged. Ged looked from Angel to Marco and then at the spliff – he took the bulky roll of tobacco and skunk cannabis leaves, and took a small puff, passed it to Marco, who bravely took one big draw and inhaled.

The effect on him was odd – he felt nothing for a few seconds except some light-headedness, then bang, suddenly he felt like the grass had dropped away from under his feet and he was flying

“Fuck! What is THAT…oh fuck – I’ve had ganja before…nothing like…fuck!”

Angel grinned

“S’good stuff innit?”

“Fuckin’ hell!” was all that Marco could say, as he anchored himself to earth by holding very tightly onto the park bench…

“Are we goin’ to this party then or what?” Ged moaned

“Party? – What oh you mean that jerk…thingy…we’ll never get in, it’s a movie theme or something!”

“I know, but my bro said it’s pitch black, flashing lights nobody will see us if we stay at the sides, got loads of booze and babes”

“Wha we waitin’ for then, come on!” Angel reeled off with the other two following, Marco coming down slowly just after one puff of the strong spliff.

****************************

“I said, it was nice of you to invite us, as we’re not dressed up!” Buffy shouted into Nathan’s ear, trying to out-do the fast pulsed trance-dance music

“S’okay! Just enjoy!” Somebody pulled the host away and Buffy turned to her brother

“Get us a drink – just a soda for me”

“’Kay…stay here so I know where to find you” Buffy nodded and William made for the drinks table

*************

“See…told you we’d be fine if we came in round the back way! – See you guys later!” Angel went reeling off into the main room with the dancing – the music thudded off his chest that combined with the narcotic effect of the spliff made him feel weird, as though he WAS the music………

“I’m not standing ANYWHERE near him, he’s trouble tonight” Ged said

“Yeah, MAN I’ve smoked shit before, but NOTHING like that – I wonder where he got it from, it’s like fucking dynamite rocket fuel!”

****

Buffy frowned and stood on tip-toe, looking into the blackness, all she could see was silhouettes of bodies rhythmically moving to the music, she couldn’t see William anywhere.

After waiting another five minutes, she ventured in, hoping to find him. She didn’t. Whom she DID find however, was a rather (she supposed) drunk Angel.

“Buffy!”

“Oh, it’s you – gods are you alright?”

“Nerer… I mean… I’m…no – I’ve… nev-ver… been better!” he grinned, pleased with himself that he’d still got the basic grasp of English…

“Well you don’t look it. Where’s Cordelia?”

“Huh..she…she inn’t, is, ent my keeperer, er, keep, keeper – ke- keeper!” Angel slurred

Buffy shrugged and went to move away when somebody pushed passed her pressing her towards Angel

“Oh Buff…fuck you feel s’good!” his hands went all over her breasts and Buffy shrieked, trying to get his hands off her

“Don’t touch me, don’t you dare touch me you - huh!” Angel caught her square on the jaw with a right hook, knocking her out cold, nobody noticed this, as she slumped forward against his shoulder

“S’rupp….bad as that fuckin’ ‘Delia…you are…hehe delia…deeley-bop – whoops-a-daisy…coming through…another drunk………sk’use me….sk’use…mind yerself…fuckin’ move will ya…comin’ through….!”

Angel picked Buffy up and hauled her over his shoulder. With her hair falling forward, you couldn’t tell who she was a unsteadily Angel carried her upstairs………
Chapter 24 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 24


“Are you sure you don’t mind?” Cordelia asked, carefully picking her way down the path in her high-heeled Louboutin shoes.

“Course not, now come on, Dick’s waiting in the car for us – love the outfit, by the way!”

“Thanks!”

**************************

“William! – Great to see you!”

“Oh, um hi Alan – er…any idea where I can get a drink around here?”

“There’s fruit cup, over on the food table - but I think there’s something in it, well more than fruit juice anyway, or try the kitchen”

“Yeah, I thought that, the state of some people” William frowned as he saw two girls holding each other up, giggling uncontrollably at nothing he could see…

“Dad said you called in to the shop last week” Alan continued

“Sorry?” William had to stand closer and turn his ear towards the guy to hear properly

“I said, Dad said you went into the shop last week”

“Oh, yeah! Yeah…got some floppy discs and some re-writeable CD’s and stuff – at a great discount, tell your dad I said thanks! Look, I gotta go, Buffy’ll think I’ve abandoned her!”

“’Kay, bye, see you later” Will made his way to the kitchen and looked around. On the floor by the fridge he saw several stacked cardboard cases, and went over to them.

“Ah-ha! – That’s more like it!” Will spied a case of Coke, still shrink-wrapped. Pulling out two cans, he made his way back through the throng of dancing bodies.

Back in the hall he looked around and frowned

“Buffy?…Buffy – excuse me Hal, have you seen my sister anywhere? – Okay thanks………BUFFY - oh god where have you got to!”

**********************************


Upstairs, Angel tried the first door, it was locked, he moved along to the second door, and found a couple going at it hammer and tongs against the wardrobe.

Smiling at the fact that’s what he’d be doing any time now, but he didn’t fancy an audience, he tried the third door. The room was in darkness, a bed covered in coats

“Bingo………come on them sweetheart…me and you are going to get better acquainted…just you lie there, there’s a good little girl

He threw her unceremoniously onto the coat-strewn bed, where she bounced slightly, but remained unconscious.

Stretching out his arm to touch her breast, Angel suddenly thought that he’d be better off undressed, or at least pantless. Fumbling for the zipper he managed to pull it down, and then tugged at the trousers – they didn’t move, he’d forgotten about the button and the belt. He eventually managed to undo them, and the trousers fell about his ankles, and then he tugged down his briefs, and touched himself. He frowned, pulled back his foreskin and jerked his hand back and forth – much to his surprise, he was flaccid.

“Fuck! Come on…come on! Don’t let me down now!” he mumbled, thrusting his hips forward and looking down at the useless still-soft flesh he was jerking back and forth. A familiar tingling feeling came to him, and he thought ‘piss’…

“Piss...yeah, that’s it, have a piss………He knew enough not to go back out into the hall in his state of half-undress, and he turned round and stumbled at the trousers wrapped around his ankles

“Whoops-a-daisy………steadying himself on the corner of the bed, he kicked off the one leg of his trousers. He looked around for something suitable to relieve himself in, and spied a waste paper basket in the corner by the wardrobe.

“This’ll do…………………………oh WHAT – fuck………FUCK!” Once he’d started, he couldn’t stop, and after a second or two he wondered why his feet felt wet and warm, not realising the waste paper basket was only made of wicker-work, with a ‘holey’ weave pattern.

Trying to stand on one leg, out of the ever-growing wet patch, he nearly overbalanced, the room was spinning enough and he had a hard time to stay upright. Eventually he stopped and he looked down at himself

“Come on now…no excuse…you and me mate, are going to have some fun!”

He turned towards the bed and made his way over…

***************************

“Hi, have you seen Buffy? – Yes, of course she came with me, I told her to wait in the………hall – thanks for nothing!”

The girl William had been talking to turned away when she found out Buffy was there with him.

William looked around. New people arriving all the time, he decided to go around the dancers once, then to see if she’d gone outside.

****************************

Grinning at her in the dark, Angel could just make out the outline of her lying there still apparently out of it.

Smiling, Angel tried to lift her top, but with her arms at her sides and her lying on her back, her top didn’t budge.

He then decided to take her jeans off, and popped the button, fumbling for the zipper. The bedroom door suddenly opened and the room flooded with light from the hall, and Buffy stirred, her head moved from left to right towards the light, and the silhouette of a person stood there for a second

“Um, do you mind, busy here!” Angel said as jovially as he could

“Sorry you guys – have fun!” The door closed and Angel faced Buffy again

“Now Buffy…you and me are going to have us a little fun………when I’m ready, that is”

Frowning again, he touched himself again, willing an erection and feeling slightly desperate

“For fucks sake…you, touch me…come on, please babe, just touch me and…”

Buffy pulled her hand away, she tried to sit up

“Wha-what, where am…what do you think you’re ow………Mmmmmmmm – umph – err- ugh- mmmmmmmmm!”

Angel quickly slapped his hand over her mouth, and Buffy instantly struggled, flailing her arms and legs about, she caught him straight in the testicles with her foot and Angel instantly buckled over

“Fucking BITCH!” He attempted to back-hand her, and as soon as his hand left her mouth, Buffy took the opportunity to scream.

“Shut the fuck up, I said – shut up - nobody’s going to hear you scream up here anyway!” The loud throb of the trance music downstairs easily drowned out her protesting screams. Angel leaned forward, bracing his leg between her thighs, he put his hand to her face, although Buffy was twisting and turning, struggling with all her might to get out of his grasp, but he seemed SO strong, and he clasped her chin tightly and drew her face to look at him………

“Now listen to me, you and I are going to have some fun, but if I have to, I could make it so only I have fun, if I have to knock you out again, do I make myself clear?”

Terrified, Buffy tried to claw his hand away from her face, and she caught his eye

“FUCKIN’ BITCH!” While he was flinching and holding his face, Buffy twisted around and lay on her stomach, trying to bring her knees up, but the coats were in the way and bunched up, hampering her efforts, she tore at them with her hands, trying to get them out of the way.

“On no you don’t, c’mere you little…” Kneeling on the bed himself, Angel caught Buffy by the back of her jeans and he pulled. They began to come down as he’d already opened the button, and Buffy tried to kick him

“Ahhhhhh, DON’T please don’t do this! Angel - why are – GET OFF ME – HHHEEEEEELPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
WILLLLLLLLLLL-YYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Fuck off – touch me and OWWWWW!

“I’m going to teach you a lesson you won’t forget you stuck-up little ice-maiden, I’m going to really enjoy breaking you in…and I shan’t be gentle either” Angel had caught her foot and twisted her ankle trying to make her turn round.

“FUCK YOU!” Buffy shouted and kicked out at him, but Angel caught her other ankle this time and pushed her leg forward. Buffy tried to keep her leg straight but he was so strong, she felt herself being pushed up the bed and she twisted around again.

“Don’t worry sweet-cheeks, I’ll do you in the ass too soon enough, but I want you on your back first!”

Buffy could feel the window-sill by her arm and slipped her hand under the curtain, desperately groping for something, ANYTHING to hit him with……………

******************

“Goodness sake, where have you got to………Hi, um...don’t suppose you’ve seen Buffy, have you?”

“Buffy, no, should I have?” One of their classmates answered

“Well no, it’s just we came together, and I went to get us a drink, and took rather longer than expected”

“Perhaps she went to dance?”

“Nah…I’ve looked”

“Outside then, there’s loads of people in the garden”

“Yeah…okay thanks Todd, um if you see her…”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll tell her you’re looking for her”

“Thanks”


***************************************

“God, look at all the people already here!” Cordelia said as Dick parked about hundred yards from the house, the closest he could get

“Always do give great parties, I’ve been here before…come on!” Harmony grabbed Cordelia by the arm and they walked towards the house, with Dick following them behind.

***************************

“William – are you already to go, all packed mate?” Another of his classmates caught up with him just as he stepped outside the patio doors to the outside poolside.

“Oh, hi Dale, almost, keep on finding things I’ll need to take, you know!”

“Not long now is it?”

“End of the week…um, have you seen my sister about at all? We came here together I went to get us a drink and now I’ve lost her!”

“Buffy, nope, she’ll be around, doesn’t stray too far from you does she?”

“Not usually!”

“So, tell me what will you be doing at Harvard…is um, is that Coke spare by the way, I’m parched, I had some fruit cup………”

William surrendered the can he’d got for Buffy thinking she’d only moan at him as it would be warm by now………………


*****************************

Buffy frantically felt along the window sill with her hand, and closed around something It felt like a lump of plastic.

Angel had released her foot and made a dive for her panties, But Buffy had a tight hold on her jeans and was trying to pull them back up. She noticed that he wasn’t ‘hard’ and felt thankful for that

“Touch me and it’ll be the last thing you do!”

Angel chuckled and leaned over her and slurred

“What’s gonna ‘appen, huh? Gonna get college boy to do me over huh? I mean where is he? – He’s not here is he…whose gonna help you n- OW YOU FUCKIN’………OW! BITCH, YOU BROKE MY DOSE – C’MERE!”

From behind her back, Buffy produced the ‘lump of plastic’ she taken off the sill and crashed it down as hard as she could on Angel’s nose. Her eyes well-adjusted to the darkness now she could just make out that the ‘lump’ was in fact a plastic elephant. Whatever it was, it served its purpose anyway.

While he staggered back, Buffy knelt up and pulled her jeans up, managing to do up the button. Angel went to dive on her, but Buffy was too quick, and she launched herself at him, her head catching him in the stomach and he went crashing back into the wardrobe, the sound of glass breaking and the thud as a winded Angel hit the floor.

“You wait…just you fucking wait!” Buffy zipped up her jeans and went to the door, not before somebody else opened it

“What’s going on, I thought I heard glass breaking – holy SHIT – WHAT HAPPENED HERE?” The guy put the light on and surveyed the room. There were coats and broken mirror everywhere, and sitting in the middle of it was a very bloodied Angel

“What happened?”

“Ask him…PERVERT!” Buffy pushed passed the guy who was still open mouthed at the scene. Buffy felt her eye, it was nearly closed, she pushed her way into the room where everybody was dancing, found the source of the music and pressed buttons on the music centre until the music went off. As soon as it did, she shouted at the top of her lungs

“WILLLLLLL-YYYYAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!”

Outside everybody had stopped talking as the music had stopped

“Buffy...BUFFY…BUFFY, WHERE - WHERE ARE YOU?” William left the guy he was talking to and almost ran into his sister as she’d located where he’d called her from, and came bowling out of the patio doors.

“Oh William!” Buffy flung herself at him and started to sob. He put his arms around her and frowned, holding her

“What is it? Hey, come on Buff, what is it, hey…shhh, shush now… it’s okay love, I’ve got you…I’ve got you…come on now…it’s okay, it’s okay…what is it hmm - what happened to your eye?”

Holding Buffy at arms length William frowned

“Let’s just go please?” Buffy was visibly shaking

“Okay, but what happened to your face?”

“Please Will, I just want to go home!” Inside the house, the music started back up, and then there was an ear-piercing scream

William nodded and went to go through the patio doors, but Buffy had other ideas and pulled him to walk around the side of the house.

“Are you going to tell me what happened?”

“Can we get…oh god – quick, back BACK!”

“WHAT? – What do you mean?” frowning William didn’t understand as Buffy pushed him back and began walking back the way they’d just come from. Having reached the front of the house, Buffy had seen the front door open and two guys carrying a staggering Angel between them, his shirt covered in blood.

The music had stopped again and several girls were now screaming.

“Buffy…BUFFY! William stopped her with a jerk of the arm

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” Buffy was crying and heaving for breath

Gez came out through the patio doors and said to Marco

“Man he looks a fucking mess – I wonder what happened?”

“Looks like he’s been shot!” Marco said

“Nah, somebody said he walked into a mirror, broken glass everywhere………who was that broad he was carrying upstairs?”

“No idea, but man, we were right not to stand with him, I KNEW he was gonna be trouble tonight – man that shit he was smoking was SO strong!”

Buffy realised that they were talking about Angel, the ‘broad’ being her.

“Wasn’t Cordelia anyway whoever she was…”

Buffy stood with her back to the wall, and slid down it to a squatting position. She wiped her nose on the back of her hand. William squatted down next to her, and laid his hand gently on her back

“Buffy…tell me, what happened?”

Through her tears Buffy whispered,

“Angel…Angel tried to…he tried to r-rape me!”

William went hot then cold, the anger seared through him and Buffy saw him stand up and run to the front of the house

“William – WILLIAM STOP!”

There was a small crowd standing around Angel, who had been sat on the front garden wall

William waded in, pushing people out of the way

“Hey!”

“Watch it mate!”

William stood in front of Angel heaving for breath, and full of hatred. Angel looked up at him and dabbed his nose with a tissue.

“You, YOU FILTHY DISGUSTING…I’M GONNA KILL YOU!” William swung his right arm and landed a right hook that lifted Angel off the wall and gambol backwards onto the lawn

“Hey – can’t you see he’s been through enough, what’s YOUR problem, get OFF HIM!” Somebody William didn’t know tried to restrain him, but William shrugged them off, jumping over the wall to follow where Angel had landed.

“Oh you think do you – well this evil bastard he just tried rape my sister!”

There were a few gasps and the sympathy switched from Angel to William

“So SHE says!” Angel said he managed to get up onto all fours, and William kicked him in the stomach, he soon was flattened again.

Buffy came running over the grass and began to pull her brother away

“William come on, leave him, he’s not worth it!”

William tried to shake her off and get in another kick

“William! William please!” Buffy tugged at her brother’s arm as hard as she could

Sirens could be heard and William turned to look at Buffy

“Did he touch you?”

“He tried to, but no” Buffy shook her head

“Are you sure, you’re not just saying that to make me stop?” Buffy could feel how rigidly unyielding and strong William felt against her pulling

“No, he didn’t, now PLEASE William!” She felt him relax, and she held his hand.

“That’s it Will my boy…do as your sister says…” Angel taunted, and William suddenly turned and gave Angel a swift kick that landed in his face. Angel grunted and collapsed again

Cordelia had just come out of the front of the house, she screamed and ran over to her ‘beloved’ looking horrified.


***************

They got to their car and William opened the door and sat in the drivers seat

Buffy slid in the passengers seat beside him. Without looking at her William asked her again

“Tell me………DID he touch you?”

“No”

“Buffy, I HAVE to know!”

“And I’ve told you William, no, NO he didn’t honestly, I came to”

“What happened, I couldn’t find you!” he turned to face her

Buffy could see the tears in William’s eyes

“I…don’t know……… I was waiting for you…you were gone for ages…I went to look for you and I bumped into Angel, literally, somebody pushed me, and fell against him…he tried to cop a feel…I pushed him off telling him to get off. I couldn’t see Cordelia around…next thing I know, he’s rambling on at me, I thought he was drunk, next thing I felt this sudden pain – then nothing”

“He hit you?”

Buffy just nodded

“Could he have…have, you know…while you were unconscious?” William swallowed and looked at his trembling hands.

“No – I’m positive, I came to, I thought a light had been put on, but then it went dark again, and I started to fight him off, my jeans were still done up when I came to”

William nodded

“I felt on the window sill…I hit him on the nose with a plastic elephant, and while he was distracted, I did my jeans back up and then I just went for him, he hit the wardrobe and the mirror smashed – somebody came in then, and put the light on, I left to look for you………I’m sorry” Buffy felt fresh tears fall.

William leaned forward and hugged her to him, Buffy buried her head in his neck and felt instantly safe and comforted.

“I’m sorry too…I’m sorry for not being there to protect you”

“It wasn’t your fault!” she leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

William said nothing, he was just grateful that the outcome wasn’t his worst nightmare, and he gave her an extra tight squeeze.

“Take me home please?” Buffy rubbed his arm and gave him a watery smile

“Sure...although, what are we going to tell mom about that black eye of yours, it’ll be a real shiner by morning, your birthday too”

William glanced at her as he started up the engine. Buffy touched her sore and swollen eye

“I don’t know…………perhaps we could say somebody elbowed me doing wild dancing or something – after all, it WAS pitch black in there”

“Hmm…okay” William pulled out to see a cop car slowly wending it’s way up the road. They glanced at each other, but said nothing.

***************************


“I didn’t think you’d be back this early, I was just going for a bath” Joyce said as both her children entered the hall. She was half-way up stairs

“We um, we didn’t want to stop, besides which-“ William started, it was then Joyce noticed Buffy’s eye

“Good gracious Buffy, what happened to your eye?”

“Dancing, well, I was dancing……… this um, this idiot next to me, was er, was having a fit – trying to punk dance or something…caught me in the eye with his um, elbow”

Joyce frowned and came downstairs, angled Buffy’s head towards the light and scrutinized he face.

“I’ll get some ice and-“

“No, mom really, don’t fuss, I’ll be alright” Buffy frowned and jerked her head out of her mother’s grasp

“But the swelling looks really nasty, you might have a fractured cheekbone or something, maybe we should go to the ER and-“

“No mom, honestly, stop FUSSING, I’ll be okay, go have your bath – please? – William will get some ice for me, won’t you?”

“Right on it” he made towards the kitchen

“Are you sure now, you look pale, are you sure you’re all right?”

“Really sure mom, I’m fine” Buffy turned away rubbing her hands nervously together, wishing her mother upstairs.

“Okay then, can’t force you I suppose”

“What’s the problem?” Asked Hank tying his dressing gown at the top of the stairs

“Buffy’s got a swollen eye, it looks quite nasty, she’ll have a real shiner tomorrow – but as usual, she thinks I’m fussing”

“Really, how’d it happen honey?” Hank came down the stairs

“Honestly, there’s no need to fuss, some guy was jumping up and down waving his arms about, and I caught an elbow in the eye…serves me right for being so short I suppose” Hank too took a close look at her eye and winced

“People will think you’ve been ten rounds with Mike Tyson!” Buffy forced a smile and was relieved when William appeared in the kitchen archway with a teacloth full of ice

“Go back to bed now dad, and mom go have your bath, I’ll be fine, Will’s got the ice for me”

“If you’re sure honey, night-night”

Seeing both her parents go back upstairs she went over to William, who held out the ice-cloth to her

“Thanks…I thought they’d NEVER go back up. She held the cloth to the side of her eye.


*********************************


“Honey that looks SO sore!” Joyce frowned

“Never mind, that’ll teach me to dance next to Ged’s punk rocker friends”

“Ow honey, I hope you gave as good as you got!” Hank winced but smiled when he saw his daughter’s face.

“Sure did, you ought to see the other guy!” Buffy said with joviality, and mumbled

“Seriously, you should!”

“We still on for the steak house tonight?” Hank asked as he picked up his briefcase

Buffy nodded

“Sure thing dad, and make sure you bring that credit card, a black eye doesn’t affect my appetite!”

“Okay princess, will do!” he bade his family goodbye and went off to work


******************************

“Well, that’s me off, Buffy, I’ve ironed your dress, it’s hanging outside your wardrobe”

“Thanks mom”

“You gotta work today mom?” William asked putting his plate in the sink

“Just till lunchtime honey, then I want to go shopping, pick up a few odds and ends for you to take with you”

“Don’t buy too much, dad’s moaning we’ll owe hundreds in excess baggage as it is…” William said

“I know – bye”

“Bye mom” They both chorused

After hearing the SUV drive off William said

“What are you doing today?”

Buffy shrugged

“Last minute packing…I don’t want to stray too far from home”

William nodded, he understood what she meant.


******************************


“Hmm, I’m having the Surf and Turf” Hank said, barely looking at the menu.

“Dad! You always have that when you come here!” Buffy said, still perusing.

“So, I like it! – It’s always good”

“Oh, that’s new…Swordfish…you can have it grilled, Creole style or in a Champagne sauce” Joyce said.

“I think…I’m going to have the grilled king crab claws, and the rack of ribs” William said.

“What a surprise…” Buffy said.

“I thought you usually have a steak?” Joyce asked

“I do, but I’m gone on ribs lately” William said.

“Hmm, let me see…August, there’s no ‘R’ in the month, so I won’t have oysters…Joyce said.

“EW! Thank gods for that!” Buffy said, pulling a face behind her dark glasses.

“Come on then birthday girl, what are you having?” Hank asked.

“Grilled lobster tail to start…then I don’t know whether to have the Steak Rossini, that’s the one with pate, mushrooms and red wine sauce, or the Steak Françoise, that’s a brandy, cream and mushroom sauce”

“Ooh, that does sound nice…oh good, you can choose your cut of steak, that’s what I’ll have, the steak with the brandy cream sauce”

“What to start?” Hank asked

“Um…Deep fried Camembert with redcurrant sauce”

“Hold on…I’ve changed my mind, the ribs don’t look all that meaty…I’ve just seen the waitress pass with some, so, I’ll have the Steak Rossini instead, New York strip” William said

“Yeah, and me, same cut” Buffy said

“You having a starter, Hank?”

“Me, no, coz I’m having the 24oz Chateaubriand Steak, and two crab claws and half a lobster, blue cheese dressing”

“I’ll get two garden salads, and two lots of fries to share, yes?”

“Hi, ready to order?”

“Yes please, we’ll have……”


********************************


Buffy wiped the last piece of mushroom around her plate mopping up the last of the rich red wine sauce.

“I think our Little Buffy’s got hollow legs!” Hank said, marvelling at the way she ate a huge big ice cream dessert after all the steak.

“I was packing it away in Mass, I’ll have to start going to the gym!”

William snorted a laugh at this, both Joyce and Hank smiled.

“So…it’s nearly twenty passed eleven…by the time we get home, it’ll be midnight, my birthday and prezzie time!” Buffy grinned, kicking her legs like a child.

“Have you saved enough room for cake and Champagne at home?”

“Of course!” Buffy said, giggling

“See, hollow legs! – Come on then…lets get you all home” Hank only had Coke to drink, so he would be ok driving. Before they left, Joyce had put all the birthday cards for her to open on the dining room table, with her presents.

They got home, and William gently covered her eyes, and walked her slowly into the dining room, where Joyce had lit the candles on the cake.

“…Happy Birthday dear Buf-fy, happy birthday to youoooooooo!” William held the note, playing up.

“Come on, blow else we’ll have the smoke alarm go off!”

She blew, made a wish. Hank put the main light on. When did all these come?” Buffy was amazed at about two dozen cards that had come through the post.

“I bribed the mail man…just working on him dumping the bills now!” Joyce said. Buffy opened her cards, she had several checks and some cash, including $10 from Mrs Koprinski next door.

“She’s a dear old thing…” Buffy said, then added excitedly, prezzies!” Joyce passed her a box with pink and white candy stripes.

“This will be useful, I hope!” Buffy pulled out a thick piece of elastic, in a figure of eight shape.

“It’s a tummy flattener”

“Gods, I’ll need it too, working in the café”

“And this…especially after a hard day!” Buffy opened a big box covered in green shiny paper.

“Oh, a foot spa! Great!” Willow and Xander had sent her some bath stuff, and there were a few little items, makeup and perfume from her mom and dad, along with a check for $800.

“Eight! – I was expecting five!”

“Well, we spent eight on William, we wanted to treat you the same” Hank said.
She kissed her mom and dad. She the smiled at William.

“What? – sorry sis, I’m broke!”

“S’ok…as long as you’re there for me. I don’t care” she meant that too, hugging him.

“Here, Happy Birthday!” She looked excitedly at the little box, she was shaking when she opened it. A fine gold chain with a diamond encrusted letter ‘B’ on it winked up at her.

“Oh, William! – It’s beautiful!” She jumped up and hugged him tight and kissed him hard, hugging him again. Both Hank and Joyce smiled.

“You like it then, coz I kept the receipt just in case you didn’t”

“Oh Will, it’s the bestest present I’ve ever had! Look mom, dad!” she proudly showed it off.

“I saw it yesterday, Will asked if I thought you’d like it”

“I love it!” She leant forward and gave him a big smacking kiss on the lips.

“Well, I’m off to bed, I’ve got an extra early start today as I’m off tomorrow and Monday” Hank said.

“Me too, I want to go in early, we won’t disturb you in the morning then, night Buffy, night Will, and happy birthday again, love”

“Night mom, dad, thanks!” William stood, began to gather all the ripped paper and envelopes up to throw.

“Got all your money and checks and that?”

“Hmm?” she was looking at her necklace, William smiled.

“It must have cost you a fortune!” Buffy said smiling.

“Well…I figured you were worth it” She stood and hugged him again.

And truth be known, as usual, even if it had been just cheap metal and paste instead of gold and diamonds, it still meant more to Buffy than the $800 her mom and dad had given her, because it was from ‘her’ William.

*********************8


The Summer’s family sat round the dining table eating breakfast – they figured it would be the last time they’d do it so they’d each made an effort and got up reasonably early.

“Did you see that guy keep looking over to our table last night looking at our Buffy, I’m sure he thought that she was somebody famous because of the dark glasses!” William said grinning. Buffy laughed and said

“Coz of my film star looks!”

“I think he was amazed how much food you could pack away!” Hank said

“Oh dad! Like YOU stinted with the surf and turf and salad, and fries, and what else did – oh…whose that at this time of a morning?”

Joyce wiped her mouth and stood up, and went to answer the ring at the doorbell.

Two police officers stood at the door

“Good morning ma’am, sorry to trouble you at this early hour but we called last night and you were out”

“Er, yes, yes we were, out for my daughter’s birthday, how can we help you?”

“Who is it honey?” Hank called

“Hope it’s another present for me!” Buffy said grinning

Joyce stepped back from the door and the police officers walked in

“It’s the police, they want to talk to Buffy and William” Joyce said as she closed the front door

The smile left Buffy’s face instantly as she and William exchanged worried glances………….
Chapter 25 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 25


William stood up, his mouth had suddenly gone dry. Hank wiped his mouth with his napkin and he also stood, Buffy jumped up and ran to hold William’s arm.

The officer looked at the list he was holding and said,

“You’re William and Buffy Summers, I take it?”

“I’m Campbell-Summers, I’m adopted, but yes, how can we help you?” William said as strongly as he could – he could feel Buffy shaking.

“We got your name from a party guest list we were given, were you at a party the night before last at 1719 Montague Rise, the home of Nathan Daniels?”

“Y-yes, ahem, yes we were” William confirmed, nodding too. Buffy felt sick, she could barely dare to breathe

“Could you tell me what time you got there, and what time you left?”

“Um…we got there for about nine o’clock, we - we didn’t stay l-long, we were home for ten past ten”

The second policeman wrote this down

“Is there anybody who could corroborate the time you left the party – or got home?”

Joyce spoke up,

“I can, it was just gone ten as they said, Hank had already gone to bed and I was just going up for a bath – I was surprised to see them home so early, I mean I know my son isn’t one for parties, but with Buffy’s accident at the party I could understand it” Joyce gesticulated towards her daughter

“I’m sorry ma’am, accident?” The cop looked from Joyce to Buffy

Buffy wanted to die, or at least the ground open up and swallow her

“I see. How did you get the black eye miss?”

“I um…dancing somebody elbowed me in the eye” Buffy mumbled

“It was pitch black in the dancing room, people going a bit wild with their arms, it was an accident, wasn’t it Buffy” William said

“Oh er yeah, course, accident”

“Do you know a girl called Coral McCready?” the second cop looked at Will and Buffy

William thought for a second, and then shook his head

“No…no I don’t know anyone called Coral”

“How about you miss?”

“Me – no, no I…um, I know a Jackie McCready, she was on our cheerleader’s team briefly, but I don’t know a Coral” Buffy said truthfully

“Jackie is this girls sister, did you see either of them at the party…………here, I have a photograph?” The second cop asked

Buffy looked at the picture and began to relax, this questioning seemed to have nothing to do with William beating up Angel and she felt miles better. She handed back the photo to the cop and shook her head

“No, I didn’t see either of them there, but as Will said, the dancing room was pitch black, it was hard to see who was who” Buffy said in a much more confident manner

“And you sir, did you see either of them?” the photo was passed to William, and he after looking for a few seconds he shook his head and handed it back. The cop put it in the back of his book.

“I don’t know either of them officer, I don’t even know Jackie, and I didn’t see them last night”

The officer nodded and closed his notebook

“Oh, em, just for your sake really, is there anybody else who can confirm what time you got home, other than your parents?”

William spoke up

“I waved to the man next door as I turned into the drive, he was taking Charlie for a walk, that’s his dog, I bibbed him, he waved”

“Which side would that be?”

“That way, with the pine tree in the garden, Mr Donaldson”

“Thankyou sir, you’ve been very helpful, we can eliminate you from our enquiries”

“Can you tell us what happened officer? Joyce asked looking concerned

The two cops looked at each other and said

“Well you’ll hear on the news soon enough anyway I suppose, this girl, Coral arrived with some friends at this party around 11-11.30pm, and by 1.20am, she was found at the bottom of the swimming pool, drowned”

“Oh my god!” Joyce looked horrified, as did Hank

Buffy’s hand flew to her mouth, William looked really shocked

“Oh! That poor girl!”

“We believe she’d taken something, drugs wise, we are trying to ascertain if it was at the party or before she arrived”

“I’m sorry we couldn’t help you more, officer” William said

“Going on holiday?” the cop nodded to the six suitcases stacked in the den

“No, my son’s moving to Mass, he’s going to Harvard” Hank said proudly

The cop raised his brows and smiled

“Harvard huh – well done, well thanks again, and sorry to have troubled you”

“Not at all, bye now”

Joyce closed the front door

“I am SO pleased you came away early!” Joyce said

“Yes, that black eye was a blessing in disguise!” Hank said

Buffy just turned to William and cuddled him up

“I thought-“

“Shh…I know, me too – I thought I was for it!” William gave her a squeeze

Buffy looked out of the window and saw the officers walking back down the neighbour’s path

“I go see Don, tell him what it’s all about” Joyce said and went to the neighbour’s door.


***************************


“Oh baby………does that hurt?” Cordelia gave Angel a pained face look, as she tried to wipe encrusted blood from his nose, but Angel jerked his head out of the way

“What do you…yes, it does, dreadfully…………………NOW can I have some peace and sleep?”

“Oh we ARE Mr grumpy socks this morning, aren’t we! Okay, I’ll come back up and see you lunchtime, and if you feel up to it we can…Angel…Angel?

But Angel was already snoring.

“Later” she kissed him softly on the forehead and left.

When the door shut Angel opened his eyes and lay on his back, then quickly thought better of it, it had hundreds of tiny little cuts on it from the broken mirror. There wasn’t a part of him that didn’t hurt, his stomach, his ribs…………he only wished he could remember what happened besides the mirror breaking.

******************************************

“I’ll go gas up the car, have we got everything now?” Hank asked

“I think so...if we haven’t then-“

“Then tough!” Hank said with a grin

“I was going to say we can Fed-Ex it to them” Joyce said

They got to the airport in plenty of time, and their flight was smooth.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**********~~~~~~~~~~~************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



“Is it just me, or is it cold?” Joyce asked as they walked into the airport terminal. Hank went on ahead to pick up the hire car.

“You’re too used to the Californian sun, mom!” Buffy said

“How long will it take us to get there?”

“About…40-50 minutes, under an hour, anyway” William said.


*********************************


“Oh gods, they got here before us!” Hank, Joyce, Buffy and William got out of the hire car. Parked at the side of the shop, was a big FedEx truck. Two men were running up and down the two flights of stairs with their boxes of stuff that had been sent on ahead two days previous.

“We better go and see Carlo, come on” all four of them went into the shop.

“Will, Buffy! –Great to see you!” Buffy hugged him and William shook his hand.

“I hope you don’t mind, I told the FedEx men to carry on”

“That’s fine, they made good time, wasn’t expecting them until well after lunch!” William said.

“Anyway, this is my dad, Hank, Hank, this is Carlo, and this is my mom, Joyce”
Everyone said ‘pleased to meet you’.

“Well, we’ll carry on up, we’re shattered!” Buffy said

“Would you like some tea?” Carlo asked.

“You are a life-saver, young man!” Joyce said.

“Well, just you carry on up, I’ll bring it up for you”
And that’s what they did. Joyce loved the bathroom mural of the cave and shark and that.

“His sister painted that, she lives on a sheep farm in Australia now, though, married a farmer”

“Um, knock, knock!”

“Come in Carlo, oh, lovely!” Joyce took the tea tray off him.

“Oh, um, telecom said they would be here at four, I asked them to make it last call”

“Thanks Carlo!” William said. Buffy was explaining to her dad where they were going to put things. Somebody started to play the piano in the music shop, a classical piece.

“Oh, that’s the music shop…get them playing sax or rock guitar sometimes.” William said.

“You have a beautiful view of the park,” Joyce said.

“Oh yeah…look Will, the tree’s are thinning out a little, we couldn’t see that last month, could we?”

“Hello?”

“Through here?” Buffy called. Benny appeared.

“Benny!” Buffy ran and hugged him; he was beaming. Will grinned and shook his hand, giving him a hug too. Then they introduced Benny to their parents. Benny was quite charming to Joyce.

“I can see where Buffy gets her pretty face from” he said to Joyce.

“Oh Benny!” Joyce blushed.

“Anyway, I come to invite you all to dinner this evening, at the restaurant”

“Why, thankyou Benny, we’d love that!”

“Here, I put this in my hand luggage, so I knew where to find it, it’s that programme, the AI taster try it” William said, giving Benny a CD Rom.

“Wow, great! Thankyou! I um, better be going…eight o’clock tonight?”

“We’ll be there! Bye then Benny, and thanks!”

“He seems like a very nice young man!” Joyce said. In just under two hours, they had unpacked, and Buffy and Joyce went out just as the telecom men came to fix up the line box for the computer.

“Like it mom?”

“It’s lovely- spacious, but cosy at the same time!” They bought bed linen, and some more crockery and cutlery. They also bought tea, coffee, milk and sugar. They got back home. When they got in, William and his dad had set up the computer and was ‘surfing the net’.

“Come on then Hank, we ought to be going and checking into the hotel, I want a rest before we go out tonight…is it far from here?”

“No, the hotel is five minutes away, and the restaurant is a few minutes away from the hotel. We’ll come to you about quarter to, ok?”

“Fine” William showed his dad how to get to the hotel. They came back upstairs, and they shut the door.

“I can’t believe it, we’re here at last!” Buffy cuddled William.

“I knew that unit would look good there!”

“Hey, look”

“What?”

“Well, as we are ‘new customers’, I’ve taken advantage of a deal by the cable company, we’ve got cable! – Films package, including the Premiere and the Box Office, for half price, for three months, I said I wasn’t bothered about the sports package…the guy thought I was gay or something, not bothering about sport!”

“Bloody Cheek! Anyway, that’s great”

“We can always cancel after three months if we don’t watch it or think it’s too much”

“How much is it?”

“Special Offer at the moment, half price, $25 a month”

“I can pay for that out of my wages, my treat!” Buffy said, then added,

“Will, what’s that round thing on top of the computer?”

“A Web Cam, we’ll be able to see mom and dad, dad’s fixed one to the computer back home too!” William explained.

“Come and help me make the beds?” Buffy said. They took all the new bedding out of the wrappers. Buffy had chosen shades of blue for William, and green for herself.

“Dad was a bit worried we wouldn’t have any privacy, but I showed him, the way the top of the both beds lie back in a recess, and if we open my wardrobe door, and yours, that means we can’t see each other then, see privacy!” (Buffy thought, ‘Just for now’………)

“Well, I’m not bothered, are you?”

“No, not at all”

“I can’t begin to explain how great this is!” Buffy said, excitedly.

“What’s the time?”

“Um…twenty past five?”

“We should have gone to see Franz really…although we haven’t had a minute since we got here…oh god, I’m knackered!” She flopped on her bed.

“We can have a good hour before we’ve got to start getting ready”

“Hmm…”Buffy closed her eyes.

“Wake up, sleepy head!” Buffy opened her eyes to William putting mug of tea on the nightstand.

“Ooh, ta…golly, I went out like a light!”

“I know, we’ve had a complaint already, about your snoring!” William teased.

“Yeah, right!” Buffy yawned and stretched. She saw that William had had a shower or a bath, because his hair was wet still.

“You’ll have to have a shower, we didn’t put the immersion on for a bath”

“Dad says it’s expensive, mom said if we have it on for an hour a day, it’ll be enough for washes and washing up and that” William nodded. Buffy drank her tea; it was just coming up to seven o’clock, time for her to get ready.

“There, how do I look?”

“Beautiful, come on, I said we’d be there for a quarter to”
They got outside, and Buffy immediately felt for William’s hand, and held it as they walked along.

Benny grinned at them, pulled out a seat for Joyce, another waiter did for Buffy.

“Now, do you want to order yourselves, or like last time, I bring you lots of things?”

“An assortment sounds just the ticket!” Hank said.

“Yeah, ooohh, make sure you put us some of those yummy pork and ginger dumpling things, please!” Buffy said.

“I will”

“What’s that then?”

“Dim Sum, they’re lovely, really tasty little steamed dumplings filled with minced pork, shrimp, ginger and green onions” William said.

“Do you want tea? – Or soft drink?” The waiter that had held the chair out for Buffy asked.

“Um, tea for four, and two diet minerals…7up or Coke, anything like that” Buffy said. The waiter bowed and went off.

“It’s very reasonable here…popular with the student’s, I bet” Hank said, looking at the menu.

“Yes. Oh, what room number are you in at the hotel?”

“326…it’s very nice”

“We were in 224…do you want to go for a walk after, I can show you the University if you like” William said.

“Ooohh yes please…here’s the food…wow, this looks gorgeous!” Joyce said, as an army of waiters began to decant things off the trolley and onto the table.

A good ten minutes of solid eating, of ‘ooh, try this’ and ‘those are gorgeous’ ‘that’s scrummy’ and ‘I wish our local Chinese did this’ they finished. That was cleared away, and lots more small containers were bought.

“If you want anymore of something, just ask” Benny said.

“I am stuffed!” Buffy sat back.

“Me too!” William said, hand on his stomach.

“Full as a Bull!” Hank said, patting his belly.

Benny came and sat with them on his break.

“What do you think?”

“If you ever want a job Benny, you can come and cook for me!” Joyce said.

“Hey William, I try that CD, is great!”

“Good, I’ll do you a complete copy for you to download, we got Telecom today, my computer is all up and running”

“That’s good, you do that for me, I do the Book 2 for you”

“Great, this is great dad, It’s going to work out cheaper for us, I buy one book, Benny buys another, then we swap, plus we can buy the books second hand, then sell them back downstairs from us!” Joyce noticed the young waiter looking at Buffy. She smiled. Benny noticed too.

“Chang…come” He beckoned the waiter. Shyly the young man came over.

“This is William, whom I’ll be at University with, this is his dad, his mom, and his sister, Buffy”

“I think Chang likes Buffy!” he whispered to William.

“Yes, well…I don’t think I’ve met anyone who doesn’t” William said. The evening wore on, and it began to get busy. Benny wouldn’t let them pay, said his uncle insisted, as William had helped him with the disc’s and that, he’d studied William from afar, trusted him, knew he’d be good for his nephew.

“Will I see you before you go?”

“Oh yes! We will make sure you do!” Joyce said, and then they left.

“So, what do you reckon?”

“Hmm, that food was SO delicious”

“See what I mean? – I’m gonna get fat!”

“Ah, now, there’s a gym round here somewhere…” William said.

“Er…I’ll stick to what mom bought me, to begin with!” Buffy said, grinning.

“Ok, look, tomorrow, I’m going to register at the college, then I thought we could take you to see Franz at the coffee shop, I’ll check in the morning, then, we could go to the park…show you one of the shoe boxes we were shown!”

****************************



“Is dad ok?” Buffy asked concerned.

“Indigestion. Don’t have any sympathy for him; it’s totally self-inflicted! Joyce said, grinning.

“Big cooked breakfast?” William asked, smiling, his eyebrows raised.

“Couldn’t resist!” Hank grinned ruefully.

“I saw it all in front of me, freshly cooked just waiting for me to help myself!”

“Oh, tell me about it, bacon, sausages, eggs three different ways, mushrooms, tomatoes, Boston baked beans, potato cakes, waffles, muffins…fresh juice, tea…Danish, muffins, yoghurt, fruit salad…” Buffy grinned.

“So, were you good mom, have healthy stuff?”

“Um…reasonably! – Juice, cereal, bacon egg and tomato, then toast and honey…although tomorrow I’ve promised myself the works!”

“Just wait until you see the cakes and pastries Franz makes…” Buffy said.

They walked around, went to the university where William registered, and they had a tour. At twelve o’clock they left, and went to see Franz. William had popped along that morning to see if it was ok.

“Oh my lord, smell that!” A wonderful aroma of baking bread, sweet fruit and sort of chocolaty/cinnamon smell that made your mouth water.

“He does the most delicious hot chocolate, with whipped cream and mocha shavings…and his Apfel Strudel is to die for!” Buffy said.

“My goodness, I see what you mean about getting fat!” Joyce smiled as she surveyed the gateaux and fancies, pastries and savouries in the window. They went in. Besides the delicious aroma of bread and cakes, strong fresh coffee could be smelt too. Franz came over and shook their hands. Everyone had coffee, Joyce and Buffy shared a piece of Apfel strudel between them; giving Hank a taste. As they didn’t have anything else, Franz made them up a box of various slices of gateaux to have with their afternoon tea.

They thanked him and he wouldn’t accept any payment.

“Well, we will never have to worry about you starving!” Joyce said.

“You’re very lucky, working only two minutes from where you live!” Hank said to his daughter.

“I know…let’s get home, put these in the fridge…” Buffy indicated to the cakes.

“Is your friend Benny working tonight?” Hank asked.

“Yes, well, I don’t know for sure, but Saturday and Sunday are their busiest nights, so I imagine so, why?”

“He didn’t have the meal at the hotel with you, did he?”

“No, but we went to a club with him, bit like the Bronze, called Stoodybakers, we treated him…but he only drinks Coke. He told me not to worry, he say’s he’d like to come round and study at our place for a little peace and quiet, we told him anytime, so don’t worry, it’ll work itself out, I’m sure” William said.

“I’m pleased we’ve met some of your friends…they are very nice, and I shan’t worry about you now – well, not too much anyway” Joyce said. They showed their mom and dad where they’d looked at a few flats, went and fed the ducks, passed on the ice-cream as they had cake for the afternoon, and then went to the main shopping area, Joyce buying a few things that turn a place into home. A potted plant, some tea towels, and they did some food shopping too. They bought some paint for the hallway, and some pretty white lace curtains for the lounge to give them a little privacy.

“So…what are we going to do tonight – did you want dinner in the hotel?” Hank asked.

“No, we don’t need it”

“The café bar then?”

“That place, is a RIGHT rip-off, $25 for lasagne and salad! – We didn’t stay, that’s how we came to find the Golden Temple Restaurant, we had to shelter from the rain, and we got talking to Benny”

“Ok, what shall we do?”

“Well, there’s loads to do…there’s a free Shakespeare play on in the park, and a concert, lots of places open, there’s even a place to get fish and chips, we can walk around” William suggested.

“Great, ok then, we’ll come to yours now, have cake and coffee, then see you about, 7.30pm, how’s that?” Hank said.

“Great!”

“So come on, what have we got?”

“Um…lemon lush…coffee and walnut, chocolate caramel slice, and a strawberry Pavlova fresh cream meringue”

“Oh gods, the calories!” Joyce closed her eyes and savoured every bite!


“Poor old Julius Caesar!” Joyce said, as they stood and clapped the actors in the park. They dropped a contribution into the hat for them, then as the wind was getting up a little, and they walked for a while, passed the duck pond.

“Hey Will, look, it’s that little old lady and the ice-cream thief dog!”

“Oh yeah!”

“What’s this then?” Hank asked, bemused. Buffy told them.

“Honestly, what are you two like!”

“Anyone hungry?”

“I could go something, not too much though”

“How about we get a bucket of KFC or something, and go back to ours ?” William suggested. Everyone agreed. In the end, they found a Greek style café, that did take out kebabs, Skewered lamb, beef or Chicken, seasoned and roasted over an open fire, served in a flat bread with salad. They bought four, two beef one lamb and one chicken, they were delicious!

“Ooh, yummy, we’ll have to go there again!” Buffy said.

The weekend flew by, and Sunday afternoon came round very quickly.

“Look, I know how you feel, and I just want you to know, if for ANY reason, you just don’t like it here, you can ALWAYS come home, ok, no recriminations, we are proud of you both, and you’ll always have a home waiting for you, all you have to do, is say, we’ve tried and hate it, we’ll come and fetch you, ok?”

“Thanks mom, dad” William hugged his dad, then his mom.

“We only want you to be happy, that’s more important to us than any qualifications, or swanky university places” Joyce stroked her son’s head.

“Now, don’t you worry about the rent, I’ve sorted it with Carlo, I’ve set up a banker’s draft, the rent will go into an account on the first of every month, he wouldn’t let me pay for the next couple of weeks, he says the place needs painting and that, and as we bought the paint, he’ll let us off the rent, which I thought was pretty decent of him.”

********************************
Chapter 26 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Well folks...it's what you keep asking for...
Chapter 26



Buffy and Will settled down into a nice routine. She’d realised that she’d left it too late to take up any course for September, and they decided that she would get herself sorted out at work, and then she’d have plenty of time to look for a course she wanted to do and enrol at Easter. The weeks flew by, with them learning to cook, Joyce having sent them a ring binder full of recipes of their favourite foods, and between them they built up quite a repertoire of dishes they could cook! There was always Franz letting her bring home broken cookies and unsold items, or new lines he wanted her to try, the students were good for market research.

Benny came round every Tuesday and Thursday evenings bringing treats from the restaurant, and he and Will studied together working on a joint project, a computer based command unit to help the disabled.

Joyce and Hank made sure they always spoke to Buffy and Will on a Sunday using the web cam, and Joyce would chat in the week too to Buffy, just usually on the phone.

It was during one of the Sunday afternoon conversations when Joyce said to Will………

“Oh, before I forget, this came for you yesterday, looks like it’s been round the block a few times – I had to pay four dollars postage for it!” She held up an A4 sized rather dog-eared envelope with several names and addresses crossed out and a couple of labels on it.

Will squinted and moved closer to the screen to see what it was.

“What is it?”

“Well, from what I can gather, it’s from Pearlman, Hardcourt and Dean, solicitors of London, or so it says - it was addressed to Mrs Betts at St Chads!”

“Good grief!”

“It was also forwarded to a Mrs Hortense Byrd of the family courts”

“Who was she then?” William asked

“She, my darling son was the wonderful judge who granted the adoption for us!”

“Oh, so that was her name…goodness, I bet she’s well retired by now, so what do you reckon it is then?”

Joyce had put the envelope down on her bed and said,

“You’re right, she had retired, twelve years ago. A Lady called Suzanne Myers phoned me from the family court wanting to know if it was me who adopted you, when I said yes, she told about this letter that had been going back and forwards and how it had been hanging around the office until she took the initiative and phoned the solicitors on the envelope, who told her it was about you, and when she looked you up – she found our name and number! I’m going to send it registered to you, will that nice young man in the bookshop sign for it for you if you’re at a lecture and Buffy’s working?”

“Who, Carlo? Sure he would, he’s very good like that, I’ll tell him I’m expecting something”

“Good. So tell me, how’s the studying coming on?…………………………….”


**************************************



Tuesday Morning

Benny met Will in the corridor outside the lecture room, he was very excited.

“Did you get a letter?”

“Letter? – Erm, no, I came out before the mail man arrived, why, what is it?” Will asked trying to look at the envelope Benny was waving around

“It’s from the Institute for the Disabled, they’re VERY interested in our project, they are willing to back us in our research, both with nominating suitable candidates AND getting a proto-type machine made up if necessary!”

“Wow! How did they find out about us, our project?” Benny shrugged as they made their way into the lecture room

“Don’t know, possibly through Professor Gustavsonn, he told me that some students were trying to do something similar to us in Boston, it could be him that told them at the Institute”

William looked thoughtful

“Hmm, could be we could ask, when is he in again?”

“Thursday, I checked”

“Hmm…I’ve got two lectures Thursday, either side of lunch, I could come in earlier”

“Can you make it for 10, I want to catch the guy from Sony that will be here before my lecture”

“Okay, I can always sit in the library”


*****************************

It was almost going home time for Buffy, the café part now closed, she’d cleared the tables and was sweeping up.

“Has Mrs Dawson come in for her small brown loaf yet Buffy?” Franz asked from the shop side

“Mrs Dawson…she’s the lady who carries that little terrier with the bow in its hair, right?”

“That’s her – and never on any circumstances try to pet the dog, it’ll have you finger off I a trice, vicious thing it is!”

“I remember you saying – yes, she came in just before lunch, she had two teacakes as well. Er Franz……tell me to mind my own business, but are you baking something, at this time - we shut in half an hour!”

“Ah, new line I want to try out…you DO have your friend round tonight to study with your brother, don’t you?”

“Who Benny, yes, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and just lately we’ve had one or two more, why?”

“Market research! Get them to try these savoury slices will you, and then tell me which fillings they like best”

“Oh good – I thought I’d have to go out for chips and dips…so what are they, they smell great!”

“Well, there’s cheese and onion…steak and mushroom…chicken and ham…and spicy mixed bean”

“Hmm, they sound yummy!”

“I’ll put them in a box for you as they’ll be hot – they can be eaten hot or cold”

“Thanks…so that’s it I think” Buffy swept up the crumbs and put away the dustpan and brush.

“How about a quick coffee before you go, I can tell you about my new toy I’ve got coming”

“New toy eh – go on then…so what new toy is this?”

“A real espresso coffee maker, all shiny silver chrome, straight from Italy - it’s got a super milk frothing steam tube that froths the milk I seconds!” Franz said with a gleam in his eye

“You know, my mom always said the only difference between men and boys were the price of their toys!” Buffy said grinning

“Mama would never let me have one…she said it would attract the wrong clientele! – She used to have these funny ideas!”

“How is your mother?” Buffy asked sitting on a stool in the kitchen

Franz’ face clouded a little.

“Oh, you know…frustrated that she can’t do what she used to do, she gets impatient and short tempered”

Buffy nodded and felt sorry for him – he didn’t have much of a life.

********************************

Buffy got in barely five minutes before William.

“I’m starving, did you bring anything back fro work?” William called from the lounge

Buffy came out of the bedroom having changed out of her work clothes

“On the side in the kitchen, new line, Franz wants me to use you as market research”

William went into the kitchen and saw several boxes

“Hmm yum…want a drink?”

“In a while…how was your day?” Buffy asked, while sifting through the mail

“Busy…hmm, this is yummy! – Oh is there one for me there?” William asked through a mouthful of pastry.

“Three for you…what flavour have you got there?” Buffy handed him three envelopes

William looked at the pasty in his hand and bit again

“Steak and mushroom…it’s really nice!”

“Leave some for Benny!”

“I will… there’s a couple of others coming tonight too”

“Okay, well there’s a book I want to read, so I’ll stay in the bedroom – just make sure they tell you what they think of the food”

“Sure!” William opened the first letter and found it identical to the one Benny had had that morning, from the Institute for the Disabled, the second one he opened was a complete surprise to him, it read,

“Dear sir,
Your half term thesis has been shown to us by your head tutor, Prof Wendle, for our advice, and we would formally like to invite you to a special primary one-to-one intensive course for twelve weeks in Brightman College, Boston. If you accept, this will count as a distinction star on your results, of which we have high hopes. Please fill in the enclosed form, and return to us before the end of January. If you decide that this course is not for you, or you are unable to take up our offer at this time, please phone Marion Fleming at the above number and further arrangements can be made, yours sincerely, Prof Deiter Oppenheimer, Senior Lecturer at Brightman college.

This set William thinking – his head in a spin, he glanced at the third letter, just junk mail.

********************

At just a little before seven o’ clock, Benny rang the doorbell and Buffy got up off the sofa

“I’ll get it, then I’ll be in our room, I’ll come and make a drink about half past eight okay?”

“Thanks love” William was sitting at his computer typing away

“Hi Benny, go on through” Buffy was just about to close the door behind Benny when she heard a loud whistle, and two lads came bounding up the steps two at a time. Buffy opened the door again and Benny turned and looked

“Oh this is Jeff and David, they’ll be working with us tonight”

Buffy smiled pleasantly enough and the one guy, Jeff positively leered at her

“Not surprised old William’s kept quiet about you………” Buffy felt herself blush and she said to Benny,

“See you later”, and went into the bedroom and firmly closed the door

“Oh, not joining us then gorgeous?” Jeff asked grinning

“Jeff, shut up, don’t embarrass her!” Benny said carrying on through to the lounge, the other two following him.

**

Good as her word, at 8.30pm Buffy went on through to the lounge and asked who wanted a drink.

“Gotta empty out before I fill up again sweet-cheeks, where’s the bathroom?” Jeff asked grinning

“End of the hall, first right” Buffy said, frowning slightly at the too-much-information he given her, and going into the kitchen she put on the teakettle.

She took out mugs and milk and busied herself while the kettle boiled, until she was aware of somebody leaning against the kitchen doorjamb, grinning inanely at her.

“Tell you what Will my boy, I’ll look after this one here for you while you’re away for three months in Boston and it’ll be a pleasure!”

Buffy turned to say something to him, and then her brain finished processing the words he’d spoken, she blurted out

“Boston, three – wha-what?” her eyes immediately filled with tears and she saw William’s face looking like thunder at Jeff, she pushed passed him and ran into the bedroom, slamming the door shut behind her

“What did you want to go and say THAT for – of for fuck’s sake – Jeff, just GO will you, you’ve been neither use nor ornament here tonight, piss-balling around, eating the food, we haven’t got half the amount of work we usually cover have we Benny – and on top of all that, you upset Buffy!”

Slightly embarrassed Jeff picked up his bag, not knowing what Buffy and William’s relationship was he said,

“Looks like you’ll be sleeping on the couch tonight mate!”

“I said GO before I REALLY loose my temper!” William shouted angrily.

“Alright, alright, keep your hair on…Jeez…come on Dave, we know where we’re not wanted!” Dave too stood up and a shower of pastry crumbs hit the floor, he followed his friend through the door.

“I better be going too” Benny said, starting to pack up his things

“You needn’t go Ben” William said, running a hand through his hair

“I think I do, you and Buffy need to talk” William nodded

“Look, mate, are you sure you don’t mind if I don’t –“ William began, Benny held up his hand

“It’s fine, honestly - I would not be able to go either, so you’re not holding me back” Benny reassured him.

“Thanks mate, see you tomorrow” Benny left

“Buffy…Buffy open the door love, please”

He heard Buffy sniff and the bolt draw back.

Turning away from him she lay back down on the bed, her back to him.

William came over and sat on the bed, his hand on her shoulder.

“When were you going to tell me?” Buffy asked in a small voice

“Tell you about what?”

“About going away, about leaving me, about Boston?”

“I wasn’t - there’s nothing to tell”

Buffy turned over and propped herself up on her elbow

“But Jeff said-“

“Jeff said, Jeff said! Jeff’s got a bloody big mouth he should learn to keep shut until he knows what he’s talking about”

“So what made him think that you were going to Boston then?” William got up off the bed, went into the lounge and appeared two seconds later, sitting back down handing her the letter. Buffy sat up properly taking the letter off him

“This – Benny had one too, but it must have come second post, I’ve no interest in going to Boston, and Benny can’t go anyway because of work, they can’t spare him – anyway we can get the lectures taped, not that I think they’ll be much use to us, but there you go”

“So you’re not leaving me then?”

“Course not you Muppet, come here!” Buffy snuggled into the hug he gave her and she suddenly decided it was now or never – she turned her head and kissed him on the lips, but instead of a peck, she began to kiss him with mounting passion. She felt his whole body stiffen at first, his mouth hard and unyielding, but she continued and the she felt him respond in kind, his mouth softened and responded, he pulled her closer - her tongue swept into his mouth and Will let out a surprised little noise. When Breathing became an issue, he broke off the kiss and stared at her wide eyed

“Buffy – I – “

“Please Will…I love you” she looked at him with huge watery eyes

“I love you, you know that!”

“So why can’t we be together properly?” Buffy asked shifting and holding him by the shoulders

“I don’t know why either” William said, pulling her close and kissing her this time not holding back at all………………………
Chapter 27 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Well, it's what you've all been waiting for!!!
Chapter 27


“We can’t go on like this,” William said, leaning back. This statement surprised Buffy; she’d been thinking the very same thing for a while now.

“No…no we can’t.”

“So then…what do we do?”

“Well…we either try and get over loving each other too much, and………I don’t know, try see other people, or…we…um…”

“Can’t. I’ve tried. That’s why I dated Angel, didn’t work, and I’m totally not interested in dating anybody else”

“That’s why I shut you out in Florida” William smiled ruefully, tracing a pattern on his jeans.

Buffy sat up and cupped William’s face and said,

“Will, I love you, only you, it’ll only EVER be you for me” William looked into her big green eyes and saw the love, his own love for her mirrored back, too emotional for words he just nodded, and then looked down at the bed. Buffy continued softly

“Tell me Will, please tell me it’s what you want too…tell me there can be an ‘Us’…a you and me…to, you know, have a relationship, a full relationship, be a proper couple” looking at William earnestly stroking his cheekbone with her thumb. He looked at her.

“I …um………It’s what I want too, us together forever………” Buffy’s face beamed and she homed in for a kiss, but William stopped her and said seriously,

“We absolutely HAVE to be sure, because if we…if we do, well, you know, it’ll change EVERYTHING, even our relationship with mom and dad – and if it was a mistake, then we could never go back to being just – well what are we, brother and sister? – Does that make us…” he broke off looking at her as if for reassurance.

“What, make us what Will - sick? I love you, and ONLY you, there are no blood ties, we have different parents, if we’d have met in any other circumstances our relationship would be perfectly normal, so why not like this?”

“I know…I’ve thought about it a hundred times…a thousand, a million times – would it be okay for us, is it legal…” William said

“And?” Buffy encouraged, then she continued,

“I want you. It’s all I have ever wanted…from the moment I set eyes on you, I knew I’d never love anyone else.” Buffy said truthfully.

“Oh gods Buffy, me too, I’ve only ever wanted you. Why do you think I’ve never dated? – Because no one could hold a candle to you…you’re so beautiful…” he leaned over and with his face barely an inch away from hers, he breathed,

“Buffy…are you sure about this… please be sure” Buffy closed her eyes and pressed her lips against his, they began to kiss again with mounting passion. Gods it felt good, not wrong, it felt so right! Buffy lay down, gently pulling William with her. She wormed a hand up his tee shirt, and massaged and scratched his back. William was rock hard, but still dressed. He broke off a kiss.

“Buffy, love…we…we’d better not…I’ve just realised, I haven’t got, you know, anything.”

“Anything?” Buffy looked puzzled.

“You know, condoms”

“S’all right…I’m on the pill, have been for a month”

“Do…do you really think we should?”

“Hmm…oh…you don’t want to?” She sounded SO disappointed.

“I didn’t say that!”

“Why not…gods I want you William, please” They were kissing again, and the phone rang. Sod it! Buffy thought.

“Hmm, Buffy, I better…”

“Let it ring…”

“I better not.” William stood he went and answered it. Buffy lay panting slightly, she quickly got undressed, got back into bed naked.



“Hello?”

“William, it’s Miles Wendle, I wondered, have you thought about going to Boston at all, I know it’s a bit short notice?”

“Erm I’ve thought about it, but I won’t be going…um, look, I don’t wish to be rude, but I’m a little busy right now…would you mind if I came and saw you tomorrow?”

“Sure, I understand…ok then, goodnight”

“Yeah, bye” William put the phone down, switched it to Ansaphone. He took off his sweatshirt, unbuttoned his jeans, so they slung low on his hips, and went back into the bedroom. Buffy could see him shirtless, and the line of dark hair down his navel that pointed south. Buffy licked her lips, threw back the bedclothes to reveal her nakedness. William was out of his jeans in a trice, and in bed next to her, kissing and nuzzling her neck. He broke away from her again.

“Buffy, love, are you absolutely sure…because there’s no going b…” Covering his mouth with hers, she shifted more onto her back, holding him to her.
“I’m SO sure…I want you” His hand moved from off her shoulder, to her breast. He was unsure of what he was doing, but, lead by her moans and reactions he tried to gauge what she liked. Never having done this before, although he had read about it of course, that women needed plenty of gentle arousal…Gently cupping her baby soft breast, he felt the nipple harden. He kissed her throat, down over the slope of her breast, and then he gently suckled at the nipple.

“Oh yes!” Buffy gasped; held him to her even more tightly, arching into him. He spent some time roving back and forth between the two. Still sucking gently, he let his hand slide further down, over her belly, till he reached the soft scrub of her curls. She parted her legs for him, and he stroked.

Buffy’s own hands weren’t idle, and as her fingers closed around his hard length, she heard him gasp loudly.

“S-sorry, did I hurt-“

“No, gods no…feels so good!” he panted out. He rubbed a little firmer over her labia, and suddenly he felt smooth moist flesh, then a little lump. Buffy cried out, shaking, her hips aching upwards towards his hand. He swallowed…so far so good…ok…so, that must have been the clitoris…what had he read? Come on think…he couldn’t, because of what Buffy was doing to him, pumping gently.

“Ahh!” Oh, um, you’d um…b-better s-s-stop…it feels too good, it’ll be all over else!” He again concentrated on what he was doing…
Right…light touches…circles with a wet finger, over the nub. Buffy bucked up and his finger slid lower and inside her.

“Ooohh! S-sure you haven’t d-d-done this before?” Buffy panted.

“I swear…just what I’ve read…that good?”

“No…it’s fan-TAS-tic! Will…please, I won’t last much longer” Removing his hand, he settled between her thighs. He fumbled slightly, But Buffy’s own hand was sure and she guided him

“Hold on…I’ll guide you…oh…ok…now push…OH GODS!” Buffy said, aching upwards, her eyes shut, mouth half open. He began to slide inside her…stopping about half way, William held his breath…eyes tight shut. So good, so good…Buffy too held her breath, pressed her bottom into the bed, then up toward his hips, just as William pushed up…and he was all the way inside her. They were both groaning and panting hard now…she blinked lazily, then gasped,

“Will, William…oh gods…don’t stop…please…oohhhhhhhhhhhhh” She begged.

He was loosing it…he could feel her tight inner muscles squeezing him and nothing had ever felt as good, he pressed forward, and then withdrew, Buffy raised her legs and crossed her ankles behind his back – she matched his rhythm, and bucked up in time with his thrusts…

“Buffy…I can’t………can’t hold…oh…hold back any…………sorry…I’m ……oh gods, oh gods, OH GODS, BUFFY, SO GOOD!” His orgasm upon him, he began to thrust up as hard as he could.
“William, harder…Oh gods, yes…Yes! Yes! Ooooohhhhh GODS, Yes, don’t stop!”
He could feel her tight warmth clench and milk him…he thrust up hard and gasped and they both cried out in unison as they climaxed.

He lay, taking his weight on his arms, his head on her collarbone, he was panting…eventually he lifted his head to look at her and asked,

“Wow! I love you………no regrets?” Buffy felt so good, she smiled and said,

“Not a one…and can I double that wow, and raise you an ‘oh gods, that was fantastic, and, I’ll always love you!” William grinned, and kissed her softly. He lay to the side of her.

“Um…could you pass me some tissues please?”

“Oh, um yeah, here…sorry”

“Don’t be sorry!” She kissed his shoulder, cleaned herself up.

“I was very quick…I’m sorry, it’s just that you felt so good, and I…Hmm-hmm!” Buffy was kissing him again.

“Hey, I was quick too…can’t do it that quick for myself!” William turned on his side, Buffy did too. She couldn’t resist kissing him.

“Do we tell mom and dad yet?” Buffy asked, cuddling him up.

“Gods…do you think dad’ll kill me?” William asked

“My choice too!”

“Do you think they’ll…well, you know, freak?” William asked. Buffy shrugged.

“Don’t know…truth is…I don’t care…I’ve got what I wanted…I’ve only ever wanted you, ever, ever, ever” She snuggled in. William cuddled her up.

“Yeah, but, what if they like, I don’t know, disown me?”

“Us”

“Sorry?”

“They’d have to disown us. IF, which I very much doubt, but just say if, they said, go and never darken our doors again, they’d have to know they’d never see me again either, because I’d choose you over them every time” Buffy said honestly. Closing his eyes, William cuddled her up tight.

“I love you, MY William…so much”

“Oh…Buffy, my little Buffy! I love you…always, never forget that”

“I won’t…never forget I love you most in the world, either” They both fell asleep, contented, wrapped in each other’s arms.

Buffy woke at twenty to six, got up and went to the toilet. She paused at the bedside. Smiling, she felt bubbly and happy, fit to burst with excitement. She got back into bed, and cuddled him up. William stirred. Buffy’s hand drifted down over his stomach, down to his hip, she was smiling as her fingers closed around his hard manhood. William groaned, rocked his hips slightly, so she began to pump softly. Her head propped up on her other hand, she watched as he came awake, and realised what she was doing. He turned his head towards her.

“Morning!”

“Hi – ah! Um, babe…sorry, I must…” He sat up, threw the covers back, went to the bathroom himself. It was her first proper look at him naked, and she thought he looked massive…compared to the ones she’d seen in the magazines, and the girls giggled over on the Internet, anyway. Two minutes later, he came back, relieved and minty-fresh. Sliding back into the warmth, he cuddled her up.

“Hello beautiful!”

“Hello Gorgeous!”

“I love you”

“I love you, too”

“Well, I love you, three – oh gods I feel so happy!” Buffy giggled. Grinning at her words William knew how she felt, because he felt the same – full of love and excitement still smiling he said

“You don’t regret that we…”

“Never…Um…Will”

“Hmm?”

“Are you tired?” Buffy asked, her hands touching, caressing him. She leant forward and kissed him. William’s arm snaked around her and pulled her tightly close to him, kissing her with passion. Buffy groaned erotically as he kissed all the breath out of her. Suddenly, he let her go and said,

“No, I’m not tired…!”

“Good…lie down, on your back” She shifted so he could centre himself on the bed.

“Will you be warm enough if I do … this?” Throwing the covers back, William was totally uncovered. He just nodded. Gently she caressed his thighs, which he parted for her, then he felt her cup his sac, massaging small circles with her thumb. William gave a sharp intake of breath, arching his neck.

“Sor-sorry, am I hurting you-“

“No, gods no, it’s good…very, good…” William reassured her.

She looked at the huge bulbous tip of his massive length, and she marvelled at being able to take him.

Slowly, she lowered her head towards it; She was softly pumping him with gentle strokes, Will had his eyes closed, gasping, his mouth slightly open. When he felt her hair tickle his abdomen and her soft warm mouth on him he cried out, shaking,

“Oh Buffy!” She licked the length on him, then with just the head of him in her soft warm mouth, she gently sucked. This sent William mindless with pleasure, he was grabbing fistfuls of bedding, his head thrashing from side to side, trying hard not to buck up too hard in case he hurt her or made her gag.

Buffy was enjoying herself enormously, licking, sucking and lapping, massaging and pumping him a little harder, the other hand massaging his balls. His back arching, he began to pant.
“Oh gods…Buffy…oh…oh babe…oh gods, don’t stop…ooohh………sweet…gods Buffy. I’m…ah…ah…I’m gonna…ooooohhhhh…” She felt his shaft swell even more, and she pumped him harder and faster…

“Buffy! Unh, unh, unh, unh, unh, unh…Aaaahhhhhh…oh gods!” he was panting…he raised his head and looked down. She let him come in her mouth! Buffy smiled up at him, sliding her hands up his body. William half sat and reached for her, gently pulling her into a deep kiss. Lying her down on her back, William continued to kiss her, stroke and fondle her breasts, suckle at her nipples, and finally he settled between her legs. Gently, he ran the wet tip of his stiffened tongue up the length of her pink glistening femininity. Buffy cried out and her hips bucked up. He did this several times, then gently found the little bundle of nerves with his tongue, and swiped his tongue over it very fast. Buffy nearly launched off the bed, she was in orbit! Crying out it was so good. As her hips bucked up as she writhed beneath him, his tongue slipped lower and he wriggled it inside her. He was rewarded with a copious flow of wetness that he lapped at. He moved back to her clit, and Buffy grabbed his hand and pressed it to her mound. Taking the hint, William gently let a finger slide inside her, while he flicked at her slightly distended nubbin again. Buffy was groaning and writhing so erotically, he was hard again.

“Oh god, Will…more…please…oh…!”
Carefully sliding in another finger, he gently worked them in and out.

“Harder…oh gods, oh yes…want…want you…please…William!” Quick as a flash, he knelt between her thighs, and pushed himself up inside her. They both cried out, and pulling him down towards her, she kissed him, tasting herself on him, and then she rolled them so she was on top. Supporting herself with one hand on the headboard she circled and bobbed, taking him deep as possible. Her breast’s bounced, and William raised his hands to cup them, teasing her hard nipples with his thumbs. Buffy pressed down hard against him, and cried out a deep, long hard orgasm. To William, nothing had ever felt so good, and he held her hips as he shot a heavy load against her womb. Eventually, she raised herself off him, and lay down by the side of him.

“Gods, Will…”

“Tell me about it!” he kissed her nose. She put her arm around his waist, her head pillowed on his shoulder.

“You know…” William began, but trailed off.

“Hmm? – Know what?” Buffy moved her head, so she could look into his face.

“I always dreamed it would be you…only ever you” he kissed her forehead softly. Buffy smiled, snuggled in.

“I know now probably isn’t really the time to bring up Angel, but when he…you know, tried to…at that party – all I kept on thinking was, ‘there’s no way I’m giving you what’s William’s’…gods, I’m glad my first time was so magical…so special, with you”

She was looking up at him again, and he looked at her with so much love.

“Oh gods, and me baby…it was perfect, wasn’t it?” he gave her a light kiss and rested his cheek on her forehead. They both drifted back off to sleep, briefly. William woke with a start, he looked at the clock, it was ten to eight.

“Hmm…what’s the time?” Buffy asked through a yawn.

“Before eight, got loads of time yet…you go have a shower and I’ll make you some breakfast”

While William sat eating his toast, Buffy answered the doorbell, it was the mailman with the registered letter that she had to sign for

“Look what’s come!” She handed Will the envelope their mother had shown them via the webcam the previous weekend.

Dusting off his hands, William stood up. He finished chewing and said,

“I better be getting a move on, I told Benny we could meet before lectures to go and see the professor………so let’s see what this is all about, shall we?”

He ripped open the much-addressed envelope and took out the letter inside, and he quickly scanned it.

Buffy saw his face and saw several changes in his expression, it went from ordinary, to frown, to raised eyebrowed, eye bugging shock………

“Oh my God!”

“Will, what is it?” Buffy was quickly by his side, concerned.

William sat down heavily on the sofa and handed her the letter, he smiled and said

“I don’t believe it!”

Buffy began to read, her eyes bugged too…………
chapter 28 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thankyou to all you lovely ladies and gentlemen for your reviews, it is MUCH appreciated
“So what are you going to do?” Buffy asked, handing him back the letter

“Phone them I suppose………I can’t now though, it’s still the middle of the night there at the moment”

“Not so much as if we were back in Sunnydale though, don’t forget…wow”

“Yeah…WOW! – I never gave it a thought you know…I suppose when it happened, I was so young – you don’t think of things like that, and when I got older…well mom said something about it to me when I was 16 – but I’d just got into computers, and I’d got other things on my mind…”

“Like what?” Buffy asked, resting her chin on his shoulder. William turned and kissed her nose

“Like trying NOT to catch you in the bathroom, or in your bedroom half naked…gave me a hard time, you know?!” he smiled

Buffy grinned and they slowly started to kiss, but William broke it off and stood up

“Temptress!”

“Oh but Will…you’ve got nearly an hour yet, and I’ve got two…” She caressed his back and felt him shiver with delight

“And there will be plenty of time when I get home, half day remember, for both of us. We are going to do the laundry and that”

“I’ll do it before I go to work, and I’ll take something out of the freezer, we don’t want to waste time cooking!”

“Why, what had you got in mind?” William asked grinning. Buffy stood and William snaked his arms around her waist pulling her close – looking deeply into her eyes - her arms automatically went around his neck.

“Give you three guesses!” She pulled his head down for a kiss

“Wicked girl! As soon as I come home, I’ll-“

“Come to the shop – Franz likes to keep me talking, I know it’s a shame, but if you’re there, he’ll let me go…”

“Okay, but as soon as we get in, I’ll phone whose-it and thingummybob in London, find out what I’ve got to do”

“Kay”


************************


Buffy put the snick up on the door of the café, and then slid the bolts shut top and bottom. She’d cleared all the tables and had put the chairs neatly stacked so she could sweep. She suddenly felt a blast of cool air as the very back door opened I the kitchen and she could hear Franz calling out directions…

“There, that’s right, on the left in that space…it will fit, I measured before I bought it…good, good, thankyou…yes, I’ll sign, where, there…okay, thanks again, bye! Buffy……...BUFFY, ARE YOU – OH there you are – well here it is!” Franz was grinning and he had his hand on the shiny chrome coffee machine, although it was still covered in polythene.

“Help me get the plastic off it!” Buffy went over and helped, bundling it up and putting it in a black bin bag.

“Isn’t she a beauty! – Straight out of the ‘Café Bella Roma’ in St Mark’s square!”

“Sorry where?” Buffy asked looking at the shiny ‘monster’ – it looked awfully complicated…

“No matter, it was a place mama took me to when I was young – it was then I decided I wanted one, but when my time came to take over the bakery and café from papa – she wouldn’t let me have one, she always said…”

“It would bring in the wrong type of clientele, yes I remember you saying…golly, it looks awfully complicated!” Buffy said giving the machine a once over twicely look

“Hello?”

“William! Come and look at this, my newest toy!” Franz said proudly, and stood to one side so William could enter via the open back door

“Oh…so this is the new espresso machine is it?”

Franz grinned and began to open compartments and lift lids

“It is, look at her, isn’t she magnificent! She can make five litres of coffee and keep it hot, she has automatic beans filler and grinder, six settings for grinding the beans, SIX! – Most other machines have four at the most – she can froth a half litre of milk to boiling with 220lbs of pressurised steam in ten seconds………we can make latte’s and cappuccinos, creamy hot chocolate…I can’t wait to set her up! – Come on, let’s set her up and have a coffee huh?”

“Oh I um…” William looked a little panic-stricken for a second, remembering what Buffy said about Franz keeping her talking when she wanted to get away home…

“I’ll just finish sweeping the café” Buffy said, when Franz’ mobile rang. They both saw the happiness drain from his face, and heard him say quietly,

“Okay, yes thankyou, I’ll be there directly” he looked sad

“Franz?” Buffy asked, putting a concerned hand on his arm

“It’s mama, the test’s show that this chest infection she’s got has turned into pneumonia and she’s very poorly, they’re moving her to a high dependency ward – the doctor wants to talk to me, so my dears, the new toy will have to wait I’m afraid”

“Oh Franz I’m so sorry…you get off, we’ll lock up and post the keys through the door for you, I’ll make sure everything is done properly”

“Thankyou, I know you will, bye then”

“Bye, and we hope she’s better soon” William said

Franz nodded and felt for his car keys in his pocket and left.

“Poor man – come on then Muppet, what can I do to help you?”

“You can put the chairs back around the tables for me while I finish sweeping through” Buffy said.

When all was done, Buffy pulled the door shut, double locked it with the key and posted them through the letterbox. They quickly walked to the bookshop, which was still open so they went in that way.

Carlo was serving a customer and there were several people browsing. They both walked in with a quick ‘hello’ and a wave, and continued upstairs to their door marked ‘private’. Buffy let them in.

“Right, you get on phoning thing and whose-it, while I make us a coffee, ‘kay?” Buffy said taking off her topcoat and throwing it over the back of the sofa.

William went over and picked up the letter off his computer table and grabbed the cordless phone……………………………………………

“So what have you got to do?” Buffy asked excitedly as soon as William ended the call.

“Well, we COULD do it via letters and that, with affidavit’s as to whom I am and such, BUT I’ve had an even better idea”

“Which is?” Buffy asked smiling

“Well……as the half-term semester…” William said maddeningly slowly

“Yes, yes! Come on tell me, tell me!” Buffy bounced like an excited child

“Well, I thought………”

“If you don’t tell me!” Buffy grinning held her hand as though going to tickle him, William grinned and pulled his leg up in a defensive manner and put his hands ready to ‘fight’ her off…

“Shut up then so I can tell you, – now, where was I, ah yes…I thought…thatIcouldtakeyoutoLondon!” he said very quickly

Buffy processed what she thought he’d said, and then bug-eyed she squealed with delight, diving on him

“Did you say – oh gods Will did you say you’d take me to London?”

“Yes you Muppet! Come here!” he pulled her across his chest and gave her a smacking big kiss

“When?”

“Told you, half term” Buffy frowned and thought…

“Half term, half term…when’s half…oh gods it’s the week after next!” She answered her own question, then excitedly bouncing up and down again she squealed YAY! I’m going to London the week after next!”

“I’ll have to phone mom and dad though, there’s a load of stuff I’m going to need”

“Such as?”

“Letters from the British Social Services stating I was an orphan, adoption papers, American citizenship papers, immigration and emigration stuff”

“They’ll need all that?” Buffy asked brows raised

“Yup, see they’ve got to be one hundred percent sure I am who I say I am, we’re talking about a lot of (the telephone rang in his hand) – oh…hello? – Mom! We were just talking about you…………………yes thanks, it came this morning, I’ve just phoned them……………when, half term, erm…well you see mom, we can’t come home, the thing is, I’ve already promised to………no, it’s not that, I need you to send me stuff…………I was just saying to Buffy, all the adoption stuff, the immigration and emigration papers, citizenship, birth certificate – oh and the name I added on certificate too, the letters from the British Social Services………of course I’ll be careful with them………but that’s it mom, that’s why we can’t come home, it’s because I just promised Buffy I’d take her to London – it’ll be far easier in the long run rather than sending all the certificates and that there, I can keep an eye on them and bring them back safely………yup, you could say she’s excited, bouncing around like a two year old at the moment, here wanna speak to her……………………”


****************************

Buffy lay back against William’s bare chest, and he dropped a kiss on her wet shoulder

“Where’s the sponge?” Buffy groped around the bath, found it and held it up for him

“You should see your neck…could grow potatoes in that dirt!”

Buffy shrieked indignantly and tried to turn round, which wasn’t easy with the two of them in the bath.

“Shall we get out now, we’ve had two hot top ups, and I’m well pruned!”

Buffy held up her hands up to prove it

“Go on then Muppet…I hope you realise I’m going to get some funny looks tomorrow” William said smiling

“Why?” Buffy asked tucking in the corner of her towel she’d wrapped around herself.

“Coz I smell like…what was that bath stuff you put it?” Buffy grinned and said

“Wild Orchid! – Never mind, I can get you all sweated up again in bed and you can have a quick shower in the morning with your He-Man R us shower gel!”

“I see…I might let you!”

“MIGHT let me?” Buffy fixed him with a sexy look

“Okay, make that definitely let you get me all sweated up then!” He stood and Buffy passed him a towel

****

“Yes, yes – oh gods don’t stop………….ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!” Buffy threw her head back as she bounced on top of Will, he held her hips and groaned loudly as he came, he inner muscles milking him. He reached for her and drew her forward, kissing her gently

“Love you baby”

“Hmmm……love you too my William”

She carefully disentangled herself from him and lay next to him cuddled up.

“Tell me about London, what we’ll do!”

William smiled

“Well okay…well first off, we’ll stay in a really nice hotel, only the best for MY girl” William’s arm tightened around her shoulder. Buffy smiled, gave him a squeeze and a kiss on the chest, then she snuggled even closer

“Go on, big swanky hotel, then what”

“Then after all the where, why and what have you’s and things are done with the solicitors, I’m going to take you – hoping it’s a nice day of course, on top of a red London bus, and we’re going to do the sights, Tower Bridge, Westminster, The Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square”

“Is that where the all those birds are to feed, and thingies pole, Nelson’s pole thing, and the lions and fountains?”

“Column, Nelson’s column, yes, that’s the place with all those things, although I read somewhere that they don’t allow you to feed the pigeons now, the pigeon muck was ruining the buildings!”

“EW – go on, what next?”

“Well, next we can go to Madam Tussauds, and the Planetarium…oh yes, and the London Dungeons and the Bloody Tower!”

Buffy lifted her head off William’s shoulder

“Can we see a show, a real West End show?”

“Course we can – several if you like, we’ll look on the computer and book on line!” Buffy squealed with delight kicking her legs.

“Mom’ll be SO jealous…I want to see Miss Saigon, no, Cats, no…thingie – The Mousetrap, mom and dad saw that when they went to London on honeymoon – imagine that, it’s still running!!”

Buffy had laced her fingers through William’s, and they were resting on his chest.

“When are we going to tell them about us?”

“I was just wondering that myself” William said

“Well it’ll have to be before Christmas” Buffy said matter-of-factly

“Oh yes. Why? I mean I know we should tell them as soon as possible, but why before Christmas especially?”

“Coz as were not going home for half term, they’ll expect us home for Christmas, and there’s NO WAY I’m sleeping in a single bed there!”

“Oh...okay” William thought it would feel a bit freaky, scrub that, a LOT freaky, but he didn’t want to upset Buffy, not as she was so happy like he was just at that moment.

“We going to sleep now, or what?” William asked looking at the clock, it was still relatively early, 10.23pm.

“What?” Buffy asked, raising her head, having full well heard what he said

“Good, I’m glad you said that!” Slowly William turned and covered her body with his, kissing her and murmering endearments in her ear making her shiver and tingle with want for him.
chapter 29 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thankyou to all you lovely people for the continuing reviews, MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Chapter 29

William groped for the telephone receiver, with a voice still full of sleep he managed a gravely ‘hello’ – the time was 6.25am.

“William – I’m sorry to call you so early, but it’s my mother, she died at ten past four this morning. I was just going to bed last night, it was about 11.30, when the hospital rang and told me that she’d taken a turn for the worst, a bad reaction to the antibiotics they’d given her, and they didn’t expect her to last the night. So I won’t be opening the shop today, I’ll put a notice in the window about mama, will you tell Buffy for me please, I’ll still pay her of course”

“Who is it Will?” Buffy leant up on her elbow and put on the bedside light

William mouthed ‘Franz’ to Buffy and then said

“Oh I’m so sorry Franz, yes of course I’ll tell her – is there anything we can do to help you?”

Buffy realised what it must be about

“Franz, has his mother died?” She whispered, and William nodded

“Thanks but there’s nothing, I’ve got the death certificate to get and then I’ve got to go to the funeral home – I’ll ring you this afternoon”

“Okay Franz, and I’m so sorry for your loss, bye”

“Bye William”

“So she’s dead then” Buffy said

“Yeah, ‘fraid so, ten past four this morning, Franz said he was just going to bed last night and the hospital phoned him and said she’d had a bad reaction to the meds and they didn’t expect her to last the night”

“Poor man”

“So the shop won’t be open, he said he’d put a notice in the window about his mother and ring you this afternoon – he said he’d still pay you”

Buffy threw the bedclothes back and got up out of bed

“That’s nice of him…have you got any morning lectures today?”

“Nope………why?”

“Hmm…only I THINK I can still smell Wild Orchid body wash on you…need to get you a little more sweated up – I won’t be a moment!” She left the bedroom with a grin.

“Is that right? William’s grin matched her own………


********************************


“And he doesn’t mind about you taking ten days off to go to London with me? William busied himself putting coffee into mugs while waiting for the kettle to boil. Buffy leant against the kitchen door.

“Not at all, in fact he said that the whole refurbishment will take a fortnight, he’ll still be closed when we get back, but there will be cleaning to be done, new stuff to unpack”

“So…I suppose with his mother dying, this’ll be a whole new start for him” William said pouring water into the mugs and stirring.

“He told me he’d been thinking about it for a while, when his mother retired in fact, but there hasn’t been a lot of time between her finishing at the shop and her passing away really, it gave him a kick-start and he thought now was as good a time as any to do the improvements and refurbishing”

“So what’s his plan exactly?” William put their drinks on the coffee table and Buffy sat next to him on the sofa, her body turned towards his.

“Well, he’s going to use that ground at the back of the shop to be his new kitchen for the bakery, and half the bakery part of the shop is going to be used to extend the café - it’ll mean room for a dozen more tables at least, possibly fifteen, and he wants to expand to a more ‘Bistro’ type menu – and have tables and chairs outside so people can eat al fresco if they want. The other half of the old shop and the kitchen that’s there at the moment will be the new bakery shop, and it’ll have a big ‘L’ shaped windows that go round the corner, with an entrance in Green Park Walk too, as well as where the old entrance is”

William nodded his head

“Sounds great, probably more work for you though!”

“Suppose, but he will hire more help as it is needed, he can always call his nieces in if we get too busy, they don’t mind. So, what’s your news?”

“Benny and I saw Prof Wendle this morning, he knows neither of us are going to Boston, he’s not disappointed, he said he didn’t really see the point but he had to offer us the chance. And then, after lunch……………………” William was grinning

“Yes, go on!” Buffy began to grin too, she knew he’d got something exciting to tell her.

“Well………………I went online and booked us two tickets to London, and we’ll be staying at the Savoy hotel!” William said still grinning. Buffy squealed and threw her arms around his neck.

“Oh I can’t wait! When do we go, tell me tell me tell me!!!”

“Well I thought, no point us wasting time, I finish at lunchtime on the Friday, we go at 6 o’clock tea time – if that’s alright with you!”

“OHHHHHHHHH I can’t wait!!! I thought that with this month’s allowance I shall buy some new jeans and a dress or something, got to look smart!”

“Yup…here, I drew out some of my savings…go get yourself a few nice things” William handed her a wad of notes Buffy’s eyes bugged and she blurted out -

“Oh William, I couldn’t!” trying to shove the money back at him

“Course you can, what’s mine is yours, now not another word, and drink your coffee while it’s hot!”

Buffy stared at the $500 and smiled, reaching for her coffee.

********************************

Half Term




“Right then, tickets?”

“Check”

“Passports”

“Check, they’re in the front of the flight bag, along with the boarding cards”

“Travellers cheques and money?”

“In my wallet in my inside pocket, with my credit cards, plus the one dad sent us in case of emergencies”

“And you’ve got all the certificates and stuff you need?”

“In the flight bag as that’ll not leave our sight, we can take that on the plane with us” Buffy nodded. She’d ticked off things on her various little lists, such as checking the windows were locked, taps were off and things unplugged, and all her clothes, make-up and such.

“Right then, what times the taxi due?” William asked

“Not taking a taxi, Carlo said he’d take us, he often goes to the airport to watch the planes, we’re just to go down when we’re ready, I told him about a quarter to, is that okay?”

“Yeah great…you excited?” William asked

“Like I’ve never been – I can’t keep still – my stomach is all fluttery and I want to laugh out loud and be silly!” William pulled her close and Buffy cuddled him up

“We’re going to have a great time!”

“Make that fantastic – especially now!”

“Why now?”

“Now that we’re a proper couple…it’ll be even more special – come on, it’s just gone half past, that’s near enough for me!”

*************************


William found a trolley and loaded their suitcases.

“Will it be easy to get a taxi?” Buffy asked

“As pie, come on Muppet – this is London!”

He pushed the trolley outside towards the taxi rank. There were several dozen people waiting, but Black cabs were pulling up every few seconds and whisking away customers. Less than five minutes later a driver was helping them load their cases

“Where to guv?”

“The Savoy please!”

Although a little tired, Buffy eagerly looked out of the window. They got to the Savoy where they checked in, and Buffy opened the room door with the key-card.

“OH! This is lovely! She went over to the window and looked out, then surveyed the room. It was decorated in a soft shade of lavender blue, with darker curtains and carpet that felt thick and luxurious – she went over to the only other door in the room and surveyed the bathroom. Sea green, with a walk-in shower and deep bath, toilet, bidet and pedestal sink with a large mirror above it.

She came out to see William tipping the bell-hop who’d helped him with the cases

“Well Muppet, what do you think, does it pass your inspection?” William asked grinning at her. Buffy’s grin matched his own as she bounced on the bed

“I’ll say, it’s lovely – oh I can’t wait to get out!” William slotted his wallet into his shirt pocket and looked at his watch.

“Hmm, morning coffee time…want to take a walk – there’s bound to be a Starbucks or something close by!”

“Oh yes!” She bounded off the bed like an exuberant puppy, and put hr arms around Will’s neck

“Have I told you lately that I love you?” She asked, smiling up into his face.

William’s arms snaked around her waist and pretending to be deep in thought he said,

“Erm, let me think…hmm, not for at least a couple of hours – I think I need reminding”

Buffy stood on tip-toe and kissed him tenderly

“I love you”

“And I, love you, now come on Muppet – let’s go exploring!”


*****************************


Both tired from walking, they opened the door to their room. They went straight over to the bed and flopped down, putting what they’d been carrying on the bed too. Buffy eased her shoes off and lay back closing her eyes. William began to study the street-finder map he’d bought. Checking the address of the solicitors he had to see he realised that they weren’t far away at all

“You know, we could walk to the solicitors, it’s not far from here”

“How far’s not far…I know your not far, ends up being miles…’it’s just down the road here’ you cheerfully tell me, then about twenty squillion blocks later, we’re STILL not there!”

William grinned at her

“Are you moaning, Muppet?” Buffy sat up and yawned

“Nope – (she popped the ‘P’) – I’m just saying, that’s all!”

“Okay, we COULD go on the underground, but it’s kinda awkward coz this place is sort of between stations, we’d end up walking just as far as we’d travelled by tube on the underground…”

“Will, can we get a taxi there, I just want you to sort things out with the solicitors, we can do the tube thing and that later”

“You’re right of course, taxi it is – but that’s not until tomorrow morning, so what are we going to do until then, hmm?”

“Sleep…I’m knackered, it’s…it’s quarter to ten in the morning, and I’ve been up all night!”

“Actually pet, it’s a quarter to three in the afternoon, you haven’t changed your watch yet!”

“No, but I know what I mean…I’m still tired after that 10 mile hike you just took me on!” She smiled and began to unfasten the strap of her watch, holding it out to him

“Here, do it for me, I’ll probably break it!”

“Okay then, on one condition” William said, taking it off her

“What’s that then?”

“That you’ll come with me tonight”

“Where to?” Buffy was already lying down again

“To see, Cabaret at the Lyric Theatre, and then a post theatre supper at Lorenzo’s – we might see some of the cast, they often eat there after the show, apparently!”

Buffy sat bolt upright, bug eyed

“You’re kidding - When did you sort this out?”

“I’m not kidding – I did it on-line before we came here – I knew you’d like it!”

“Like it- oh god I LOVE IT!!! I love you – oh this is brilliant!” She hugged him tight and pulled him down towards her. William moved the maps and one or two other things they’d bought off the bed and lay down next to her properly – they both promptly fell asleep!

**************

Buffy woke dry-mouthed and sat up and looked at the digital bedside clock, it said 5.40pm. She felt slightly thick-headed, muzzy from lack of sleep the way jet-lag gets you. She let out a loud yawn and stretched and then turned to look at William, who stirred. She leaned over and gave him a light kiss on the lips

“Hey, sleepy-head!”

“Hey…what’s the time?”

“Nearly a quarter to six, what time are we going out?”

“Oh we’ve got a little time yet, show doesn’t start until 7.45” he too yawned and stretched

“God, I didn’t know I was so tired – I went out like a light!”

“Tell me about it!”

“I’ve got a bit of a headache”

“Hmm, me too – I think it’s the whole jet-laggy thing going on, we’ll be okay after a blow of fresh air!”

“Yeah, I think you’re right…shall we order up some tea and stuff on room service, coz it’ll be late before we eat properly - then we can start getting ready – do you want a bath or a shower?”

“Bath”

“Okay, I’ll take a shower then, we can at the same time then”

“Bath’s big enough for two…”

William grinned and said,

“If we start that, we’ll NEVER get to the show…so just some assorted sandwiches and tea do you?!” Will asked picking up the phone, Buffy nodded.


****************************

They enjoyed the show immensely, and a dreamy supper of pasta with a creamy sauce with seafood and mushrooms washed down with a bottle of crisp white wine.

“Pudding?”

“Who are you calling a pudding!” Buffy asked, reaching for the menu again

“I’m not, do you want one?” William asked smiling at her

“Why not, I’m on holiday…hmm, let me see………ohhhhhh, that sounds nice………mind you, so does that…then there’s always……...oh – no I’m going to have that!”

“What?” Buffy looked from behind the menu to see the waiter patiently standing there, pen poised over the order pad. She blushed and said

“Um, sorry! I’ll have the white peaches with mascarpone and almond ice-cream please”

The waiter wrote this down and turned expectantly towards William

“I’ll just have coffee thanks”

The waiter took the menu and walked off

“I feel greedy now! I wouldn’t have had a pudding if I knew you weren’t going to have one!”

“Yes you would, Muppet. Anyway Kitten, did you enjoy the show?”

“Oh it was fantastic! When can we go to another one?”

“Well, I’ve got one booked the night before we leave, but I thought you might like to pick the next one we go to, I’ve got the What’s On back at the hotel – they’ll book it from there for me and put it on our bill – isn’t that great!”

“Wow, I can’t wait to see what’s on…..…. oh look at this – yum!” Buffy grinned as her dessert was placed in front of her – it was a work of art on a plate!


***

They got back to the hotel and both had a refreshing nights sleep, both waking bright and early, when Buffy woke it was 7.35am, William was dressed in his dressing robe, reading

“Morning Babe!”

“Morning….(she stretched luxuriously) did you sleep well?”

“Like the proverbial log! I’ve just been reading. Do you want to have room service or shall we go down to the buffet breakfast?”

“Buffet, I can choose what I want then…what time have we got to be at the solicitors for?”

“Ten thirty”

“What time does the breakfast buffet start?”

“From 7.45am to 9”

She threw back the bedclothes and said,

“I’ll just go and splash my face, I’ll have a shower after breakfast…I fancy scrambley eggs, bacon and English muffins!”

*****************************


“Thanks, how much?” William asked the cabbie

“£6 mate”

“Here you go, thanks” William paid the driver and after he’d driven off William turned and looked at the impressive red-bricked building. On the railings outside was a brass plaque engraved

Pearlman Hardcourt and Dean, Solicitors
And Chartered Surveyors

“This is the place, come on Muppet, let’s see what they’ve got for me” William held out his hand and Buffy took it. In his other hand he carried all the documents Joyce had sent him.

They saw the receptionist and she told them to take a seat. After a few minutes, a tall balding man in a smart suit came up to them

“Mr William Campbell?”

“Er, yes” William stood up. The man smiled and politely extended his hand, William shook it feeling slightly nervous.

“I’m Miles Pearlman, senior partner here, if you’d like to come this way”

“Shall I wait here or…”

“No, come on, got nothing to hide!” William held out his hand for Buffy and they both followed the gentleman into his office

The door was closed and Mr Pearlman said,

“Right, tea – or coffee if you prefer, before we get down to business?”

They both settled on coffee which was bought in for them.

He had a quiet but friendly manner that put them both at ease

“This is the type of business I like doing – happy news, although it started with unhappy circumstances and I’m sorry for your loss Mr Campbell” he looked at William over his spectacles

“Huh-Er – oh yes! Sorry, I’m not used to being called Mr Campbell, and it was a long time ago now!”

“Quite! Well, first things first, I need proof you are who you say you are…”

“Here you go, I got mom to send me everything she had by way of adoption papers and that”

“Do you mind if we take photocopies of theses, for the records you understand” Mr Pearlman asked

“Not at all, carry on” William said

Mr Pearlman called his secretary into his office via an intercom, and gave her instructions what to do with the sheaf of papers and documents he gave her.

“This shouldn’t take too long, we’ll just need to read through certain papers and make one or two phone calls”

“That’s fine, oh mom said as the two ladies have retired who did the original adoption she’s left a phone number of the woman to whom you are to speak to now, it’s in with the adoption certificate” William said helpfully.

“Oh thank you, that will save us a lot of time!” Mr Pearlman said

*********

After just over half an hour of small talk, the secretary came back smiling and confirmed that William was indeed who he said he was, and everything was in order. She gave Mr Pearlman all the original certificates back too. He smiled and opened his drawer

“Right then – down to business!”
Chapter 30 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thankyou to all who keep reviewing - love you for it!!
Chapter 30


“Your last address in London was…117 Stephenson Avenue, South Ken, SW7, is that right?”

“As much as I remember, yes” William replied, nodding

“Were you aware that your parents had just sold that property and had in fact bought a much bigger house in Holland Park?”

“No, I didn’t – I suppose they thought I was too young to comprehend really”

“Of course, well, they’d signed the title deeds, and the transaction had gone through, and because of who your parents were, they were able to pay cash for the new house. Your mother had just landed the most prestigious cosmetics contract of the time, a million pound deal for Chique, and of course, as she’d won that, well, the rest followed suit. She was still the muse for the House of Germaine clothes, but offers were coming from right, left and centre, from Bootique shoes, LovelyLegs hosiery, Parfams du France to Sol Midas sun tan products to name but a few.”

William nodded, frowned and said

“Wow! This is sure a lot to take in…I’m sorry, can you give me a moment please!” After a minute or so reading what Mr Pearlman had just said, he was trying to think back as a child – did he even have an inkling about what his mother was?

“I don’t remember my mother being a top model” William was trying to think…it was hard, so far back, so long ago – he couldn’t even remember his mother’s face now. He vaguely remembered a time when they went to Trafalgar Square…people were taking photographs – but that’s what everyone did there, fed the pigeons and had their pictures taken…

Mr Pearlman smiled, and showed him a photograph of one of his mother’s most famous poses, modelling a House of Germaine shiny mac and knee length boots, twirling round an umbrella with a big daisies on it

“Oh yes – the very famous Chelsea Blue! Um, you weren’t aware of this fact?”

“Er…um huh…n-no, um, she…she was just mum to me…” William said with a shrug, dragging his eyes off the picture before putting it back on the desk.

“Well as it was unsure of what to do, there was nobody to instruct us as to what to do with the property, but your parents Wills left everything to each other, then to you and any other siblings that happened to come along. So, we leased it out, a short lease of 15 years, we knew that once you’d reached the age of eighteen that the hunt would be on for you so you could claim your inheritance”

William nodded

“The amount accrued, with interest and after our fee is…” he wrote down a figure on a piece of paper and slid it across the desk. William reached for it and nearly died on the spot when he saw the amount, his eyes popped and he thought that there had been a mistake with the decimal point and the noughts…he blurted out,

“There- there must be some mistake!”

“I’m sorry - there’s no mistake Mr Campbell, I can assure you of that, and our fees are very modest considering some solicitors charges!”

“No I, sorry I mean, well surely, rent for a house, even after all this time – it’s a ridiculous amount!”

Mr Pearlman took off his glasses and smiled

“Mr Campbell, properties in that area, one of the nicest in London, then and now I hasten to add, can fetch £6000 rent per calendar month easily, it has 6 bedrooms, six bathrooms, five reception rooms, large fully fitted kitchen, large secluded garden – properties there are selling for upwards of five million pounds, indeed the gentleman who is renting it at the moment is the manager of a Swiss clearing bank in the city”

“Oh god!” William felt his head swim and the colour drained from his face

“Oh dear I’ll get you some – er, Geraldine…Geraldine!”

The secretary came rushing into the office, Buffy put her arm around William

“Will, you okay?”

“Get Mr Campbell some water will you please?”

“Certainly sir!” The secretary dashed off and Buffy was rubbing Will’s hand. William for his part didn’t know whether to laugh, cry, be sick or pass out!

“Here you go” Buffy took the proffered glass of water off the secretary and gave it to Will, who too three big gulps.

“I’m sorry, all this must have come as a bit of a shock to you!”

“A BIT!! William said incredulously – here was I thinking I might come away with a couple of thousand pounds for the house in South Ken, and – and then I get told this – I’m a potentially sitting on a property worth five million pounds!” he took another gulp of water before putting it on the desk.

“Only if you sell it! Personally I would wait a while, there’s a property boom at the moment, wait another six months and you could get another million I’m sure!” Mr Pearlman said brightly.

“Oh good god!” William rubbed his forehead, he didn’t know whether to laugh out loud or not!

“Shall I give you a little while to mull things over, so to speak?”

“Um, yeah, if you wouldn’t mind – this is all too much for me to take in properly!”

“Certainly, I’ll just be…” he pointed a finger to the door and Buffy nodded

When he’d closed the door Buffy said

“Wow…I know they said you’d got a house coming to you, but this!”

“Tell me about it! And my mum, Chelsea Blue…I knew her as mum, other people knew her as Susan Campbell, and my dad as Mickey Campbell………god wait until I tell mom and dad this!”

After five minutes of trying to come to terms with his news, they called Mr Pearlman back and after signing various forms, William said that he would indeed hold onto the property for a little while longer, but gave the solicitor instructions to put it o the market if the housing market looked like crashing.

After an hour and a half, they left the solicitors stunned, but totally happy.

“So what shall we do now?” Buffy asked

“Well, first I’d like to pop back to the hotel and get these put in the safe (he held up his documents folder that had become MUCH thicker) and then……would you mind if I …um…if I went to see where I used to live?” Buffy shook her head and said,

“Of course not, I’d love to see it too”

They got to the tube and went to the appropriate station. Buffy loved the tube. When they emerged from the station, it was all new to William, there was a dual carriage way, and they had to use a subway to cross. William stopped and took a breath, then stood at the top of a residential road, called Stephenson Avenue. Buffy looked at William. He was having a little difficulty keeping his emotions in check. Buffy put her arms around him. He cuddled her up and rested his head in her neck. She didn’t say anything, she didn’t really know what to say, so she just held him.

He raised his head and said,

“Walk with me?” Buffy smiled and slid her hand into his, then bringing her other hand over so she was holding his one hand with both of hers, giving him a little encouraging squeeze. The walked for about 75 yards, and he stopped outside a house, with a huge tree outside the drive.

“This it?” Buffy asked quietly.

“Yes…117 Stephenson Avenue…I wonder who lives there now?” As if in answer to his question, an Asian woman opened the door, pushing out a buggy with a toddler in it; she was followed out by two children a girl and a boy, both below the age of 10. They ignored the couple and carried on up the road. A car turned into the drive next door. William looked at it and smiled – he knew the occupant!

“Oh my gods…Mr Samuels!” William said. An elderly man got out of the car.

“Mr Samuels…It IS Mr Samuels, right?” William went halfway down the drive. The man was older than William remembered him, he was now white haired, but he still had the clipped little moustache and friendly eyes that William remembered.

“Yes…can I help you, do I know you?”

“I don’t know if you remember me, I’m William Campbell, actually, Campbell-Summers now, I used to live here years ago, my parents were killed in a road accident”

“Oh good lord! You’re um, I’m sorry, I’m terrible with names, Sue and Mickey’s lad!”

“That’s right, I’m William, I was five”

“I remember…it was so sad…Margaret and I often wondered what happened to you”

“I went to America, I was adopted, by Buffy’s parents… This is Buffy, by the way” The man shook Buffy’s hand and pleasantries were exchanged.

“So, are you here on holiday?”

“Yes…doing the touristy things, you know” The front door opened, and an elderly lady said,

“Is everything alright, George?”

“Yes dear, do you know who this is?” She came closer to the edge of the step and peered at William, a frown/smile on her face. She peered at William for a second or two, went to shake her head no, and then she said,

“OH!” Her hand flew to her mouth for a second or two, and then she said,

“It’s Billy! Billy Campbell! Oh my goodness, oh come here!” She pulled William into a hug. She had tears in her eyes. William was also struck by the emotion of it all and felt his own eyes well up. He blinked and squeezed his eyes shut for a second or two until the lady gently pushed at his shoulders, smiling up at him

“Well look at you, all grown up…I’d know those blue eyes anywhere…we often wondered what happened to you, didn’t we George? - Honestly, where are my manners, keeping you outside, come in, come in - have a cup of coffee” standing back she threw the door open welcoming them.

“Um…are you sure, we don’t want to be any trouble” William looked at Buffy. She looked up at him and smiled, nodding.

“Not at all…come in” Smiling, they both went in. The house was immaculate.

“Come on through to the den…would you like tea, or would you prefer coffee?”

Over drinks, William explained what happened.

“We tried to find out what happened, but we drew a blank, Social services either couldn’t or wouldn’t tell us anything, and the house remained untouched for weeks. We had to get onto the police in the end, because stuff was piling up, mail and papers, wasn’t it George”

William sat there nodding, it was strange hearing about things after all this time, things he wanted to know but never knew who to ask – Joyce had told him everything she knew.

“You were such a good baby! We used to baby-sit when you were tiny, but then when you were a toddler, out eldest Christine, do you remember her, that’s her there (Margaret pointed to a photograph on the wall) used to look after you if your mum and dad had a function to go to. Of course your mother was a full time fashion model, beautiful she was, not like the gaunt moody looking stick-insects you see today! And your dad, playing for Chelsea was famous being a footballer”

“Yes, I’ve only just found out about who my mother really was – to me she was just mum – not the model ‘Chelsea Blue’ that everyone else knew her as!”

“She was very pretty…I didn’t like it when they used to make her put all that black stuff around her eyes, all that make-up, she didn’t need it, she had a natural beauty, a radiance that could light up a room, didn’t she George?”

“Oh yes…but as she used to say, it was like a mask to hide behind – at least with no make-up on she could go un-noticed at the supermarket! I tell you what, excuse me for a moment…” George Samuels stood and disappeared upstairs, and then he came back in carrying a photo album. He showed William photos he’d never seen before.

“This was when there had been a storm, and an old horse chestnut tree had blown down in the gale, see, it had demolished half the brick wall at the front of our garden…this was the photos of the council men cutting the tree up, and this… yes, this is the local newspaper cutting…and I think… yes, that’s you, look, can you see, at the top of your drive?” He handed William the photo.

“Oh yes, it’s me, from the back, you can see my hair sticking up, as usual!” He passed the snaps onto Buffy. It was William as a toddler.

“And this, was our other claim to fame, besides knowing your parents, do you remember the group, Mud? Well, that was the drummer, his mum lived over the road and one day he turned up to visit her in this big stretch limo… that’s him signing an autograph for your mum” William swallowed.

“Oh gods…I d-don’t have many photos…I was only allowed to come back to the house once after the accident, and I didn’t receive any personal stuff until I was 12… Ah, now that was…oh, what’s his name…” William had closed his eyes trying to think.

“Harry Bradshaw’s lad, Keith” George said, looking over Will’s shoulder.

“That’s it…I remember once, we climbed a tree together, and couldn’t get down!” William said grinning

“He’s in the navy now, out in the Gulf”

“Is he?”

“And what are you doing?” William explained.

“Harvard huh, well, you need brains for that eh?” George said, and William smiled.

“Our Christine married a sheep farmer, she lives in New Zealand, we’re hoping to go and see her later on this year, we’ve been saving our pennies up, we’ve got a new great grandson to see haven’t we love?”

“Oh yes, we’re dying to see little Casey – he’s our first great grandchild, we have five grandchildren, Christine’s got three, all sons, and Geoffrey our son who lives not far away in Essex, he’s got a garage and petrol station, he’s got two girls!”

“Very nice…I remember your Geoffrey…we got into trouble when we ate all the raspberries in the garden – do you remember that?” William asked, smiling

“Of course, you two were always best pals getting into scrapes!” All this time George had been sorting through the snaps, and giving William a biggish pile he said,

“Here, I know these are before you were born…they were at a street party for the queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977, that was your mum, and that was your dad…I think his hair was nearly as long as your mums!”

“Oh my gods, look at those pants!” William was laughing at the wide bell-bottomed ‘loon’ trousers his father was wearing, and the platform heels too!

There were several photos, of his parents.

“They couldn’t have been married very long…dad had his trial for Fulham in 1977, then he played for Arsenal for 3 years then he went to Chelsea. Then lastly he played for Watford, only second team mind, but then he had to give up because of a recurring knee injury.” William said.

Buffy asked if she could go to the toilet. Margaret Samuels said ‘certainly’ and showed her the way. When she got back, William was saying how everything had changed.

“Yes…very few of us ‘original’s left now…do you remember Mrs Brown, who used to live two doors down that way from your house, she used to have a big white poodle that she used to show, so it was always puffed and crimped up…pom-pom tail and top of it’s head?”

“Vaguely” William said

She left last year, gone into a nursing home. And after your tragedy, the house was empty for 18 months, a dentist bought it, he was Australian, very nice couple, they stayed for about five years, they sold it to a young couple, who had to give it up, couldn’t afford the mortgage, then the people who have it now, the Gupta’s bought it”

“Yes, I saw an Asian woman with three children earlier” William said.

“That would be the daughter visiting. Meena, that’s the elder woman baby sits while her daughter goes out to work”

“The only other people you might remember, is Stan Hardcastle, he used to own the newsagents on the corner? He sold up, it’s a Londis convenience store now…” William went to hand back the photos, saying that they’d better be going, and thanking them for the tea.

“You keep the photos”

“Are you sure?”

“Sure”

“Thank you! That’s very kind of you”

“Here we are, pop them in this, keep them clean at least. Mrs Samuels gave William a used envelope to put them in Oh, and before you go………” she went into another room, they could hear her opening a cupboard, a few seconds later she was back.

“Do you remember him? – Bun-bun…you wouldn’t sleep without him when you were little…I found it on the path the day the council came and emptied the house” She pressed the little grey fur toy rabbit into his hand.

William, in his minds eye saw a blurred face, and a soft voice saying to him, “here’s Bun-bun, now you go to bed like a good little boy for mummy”…

“Th-thank you!”

“You’re very welcome – oh I’m so pleased to know what happened to you after all this time!” Margaret reached up and kissed William on the cheek.

“You’ve grown into a fine young man, and your mum and dad would have been very proud of you, I know”

For the second time that day William felt himself close to tears. They thanked the couple again, and after promising to keep in touch, they left. They got back to the hotel.

“That was really nice of them to give me these, wasn’t it?” Will said, leafing through the photos.

“Yes…anyway, bathrooms free”

But William didn’t hear her, he was ‘miles away’ on sensory over-load, lost in a reverie that he learned so much that day about his birth-parents.

Buffy sat next to him, and stroked his arm. William looked at her and smiled and said,

“Sorry, miles away”

“That’s alright, I understand” She smiled and William homed in and gave her a kiss

“Right then, in approximately…(he looked at his watch) three and a half hours, I’m taking you out!” Buffy grinned and hunched her shoulders with excitement

“Where to”

“Ah, now, THAT, would be telling” he kissed Buffy’s nose and then went into the bathroom for his ablutions.
Chapter 31 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
For those interested in the Whitechapel murders, go here http://www.casebook.org/intro.html
WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED if you read about the injuries inflicted..!!!!!!...
Chapter 31


“Cheese and biscuits?”

“God no, I couldn’t eat another mouthful!” Buffy said, dabbing her mouth with her napkin

“Coffee then?”

“Hmm, love it”

William told the waiter.

“It’s a bargain, this eating dinner before 7.30pm!”

“Yes, well we did miss lunch…and it means the night is still young”

“So what are we going to do?”

“You’ll see!” William said cryptically smiling

The waiter deposited two coffees in front of them, and Buffy immediately began to undo the little Ameretti biscuit off the saucer.

“I thought you couldn’t eat another bite?!”

“This doesn’t count! – So go on tell me…where are we going?” She nibbled on the biscuit

“Well…you know that guy that pushed that flyer into my hand while we were in Oxford Street shopping the other day”

“What guy?”

“Tall, thin, dressed all in black, well at first I was just going to throw the paper away, and then when you went to get the coffees in the food court, I looked at it and decided we’d go”

“What to, a club?”

“Nope”

“Bar then”

“Nuh uh”

“Hold on…did you say he was all dressed in black – it’s not a Goth thing, is it?” Buffy asked wrinkling her nose.

“Now would I take you to a Goth thing? I’m not interested in that sort of stuff myself!”

Buffy waggled her feet like a naughty child

“Tell me!”

“You’ll find out when we get there!” Will said with a maddening grin

“Okay then, just tell me whereabouts then”

“Whitechapel” William said, signalling to the waiter for the bill

“Whitechapel? Buffy repeated

“Uh huh, Whitechapel………Keep the change, thank you” William put two ten pound notes onto the saucer for an ‘Early-bird’ dinner for two advertised at £8 each.

Slipping on his jacket, William held the door open for Buffy and they went outside. He then walked straight to the kerb, looked left and right and then hailed a black London cab.

“Whitechapel please, the…um Half Moon pub”

“But you said we weren’t going to a bar!”

“We’re not, it starts there, that’s all!”



When they got there, there was already a small crowd of people congregated outside the pub, all tourists, four Japanese, four Aussies, two French, and six other Americans, two Canadians, and a few English and Scottish.

There was woman dressed as a Victorian ‘lady of the night’ that took a hat round for the money for the tour…two of her front teeth had been blacked out… the tour guide was tall, thin and dressed in a long black frock coat, black drainpipe trousers and a top hat with trailing ribbons, like a Victorian undertaker – he had been the fellow handing out the flyers for the ‘Jack the Ripper’s Tour of Whitechapel’ in Oxford Street. He had greyish white face make-up, making him look really gaunt, and black eyeliner.

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen (He bowed low, making a big sweep with his hat)…and welcome to the Jack the Ripper Tour…I’m your tour guide, Terry, and this is the lovely, Estelle…” he put his arm around the girl that took round the hat. Everybody had now quietened down and listened, and then they clapped.

“Right then, look lively me lovelies…and keep together, there’s some funny people around these parts…our story, starts in 1888…”

Everyone walked slowly down a narrow-ish ally way. Terry started his story…

“A blood curdling scream rent the air!” Terry said, and on cue, they heard,

“Aaarrrggghhh!” Everyone in the crowd gasped, Buffy smiled and held tight to William’s hand. Terry had stopped dead, and spread his arms out wide, preventing anyone from passing. Up ahead, a black-clad figure in a cape and top hat was bending over an unfortunate figure of a woman. He Stood, cloaked his face with his cape very theatrically, and then ran off. Terry slowly dropped his arms, and walked forward, turned to face his audience. On the ground behind him there was a tarty looking woman covered in fake blood, she stared up with open eyes. Terry said,

“His first victim, on 31st August, 1888 was a ‘lady of the night’, a tom, as they were known, by the name of Mary Ann ‘Polly’ Nichols. Poor woman, she was 44, although she looked ten years younger, and a serving wench cum prostitute at a hostelry called the Dockers Inn. A well-dressed gent came along, and ‘happened’ on the body of our unfortunate victim. He stood, shouted………”

Terry stood to one side and a gent appeared, looked at the poor murder victim.

“Help…police, murder…murder I say – murder most foul!” Quickly a ‘Peeler’ appeared, and blew his whistle. Terry continued,

“Now…the motive wasn’t robbery…as the poor gal still had her purse, with tuppence-three farthings still in it…”

A Girl appeared with what was probably a broomstick, with a long black piece of fabric trailing down from it. She held it up to block the scene of the victim, the gent and the peeler from the crowd’s view. When she dropped her arm, they’d gone, and Terry proceeded to walk on, the crowd smiling and giggling followed, eagerly listening to the story.

“Now, one lady of the night killed would hardly make front page news, but when it came to the second, Annie Chapman on the 8th of September…it was in the papers about this poor woman 45, suffering from TB, murdered for no other reason than she was a woman was the thought…unless our perpetrator had been interrupted…Anyway, the chief of police, Sir Edward Monk, had nicknamed the murderer, the Ripper, on account of the way poor Mary and Annie had been cut up…


Terry stopped and turned. Everyone craned their necks to see the scene being acted out. A tall top hat wearing cloaked figure had a girl in a shop doorway. A saucy giggle and the snap of elastic, then a
“Oh, you are a naughty man aren’t y…huh…oh my gods, you’re the…(gulp) Arraaaagghhhhhh!” The girl staggered out, clutching her stomach, fell to the ground, again with fake blood gushing from the ‘wounds’ and the Ripper bent over her. Meanwhile, Terry carried on the commentary.

“Now, MP’s were writing to the Times no less…and it appeared that the murderer had got bold, and claimed another victim, and had written to the paper himself, poo-pooing all the pseudo ramblings and profiles on him.

‘You’ll never catch me…’ he boasted, and signed the letter, ‘Jack’ and in brackets, ‘The Ripper’ having quite liked the moniker that Chief Monk had given him. All of London Town was talking about him. (The girl with the stick appeared and masked the scene) when she dropped her arm, a ‘cardboard’ bar complete with barman and two customers talking, was the new scene.

“They reckon, ‘ee could be a doctor! He knows a bit about surgery and anatomy an’ that!” One drinker said to another.
“I read, that it could be one of Queen Victoria’s son’s!”

“Did yer?” The girl with the stick appeared, and then the scene changed again, when she dropped her arm, you could see a group of ‘ladies of the night’ in a huddle.

“So I sez, not on your bloomin’ nelly mate, this ‘ere’s me friend, and me and Stella ain’t going nowhere on our own, do you get it, you could be the Ripper for all I know!” They all giggled.

The scene change girl covered the departure of the actresses with her stick and black cloth, and then left, leaving Terry to walk on, the crowd following him.

“One night, the 30th of September old Jack, he was ‘lucky’ enough to snag two victims, a tom by the name of Elizabeth Stride, and surprisingly, a lady of rather good character aged 45, she was Swedish by birth, she cleaned for a Jewish family and was said to ‘Do a good deed for anyone’, and a Miss Catherine Eddowes, 43. It had eventually been established, that she’d been dropped outside her house by a Hansom cab driver, and the Ripper had unfortunately been passing and seized his opportunity to take cover in some rather thick bushes at the side of her house. She was cut up very badly.

“One of his final victims, Mary Jane Kelly was found just up ahead here…although Irish by birth, she spoke fluent Welsh and had sober habits…”

And so the tour went on, eventually ending up back outside the pub that they had congregated outside originally. Everyone clapped, and the ‘players all came and took a bow, the hat was passed around for ‘tips’. William put in £10 for the two of them.

“That was brilliant!” Buffy said.

“Come on, lets go have a drink” They went into the pub, which was decorated in a Victorian style, with photographs of some of the Ripper’s victims on the wall – they both found it fascinating.

While at the bar, they both got chatting to Terry, the tour guide

“Did you enjoy it?” Terry asked smiling

“It was brilliant!” Buffy said. She’d noticed that he’d lost his ‘Cockney-wide-boy’ accent, and his accent was much softer

William bought him and his girlfriend for real, Estelle a drink, and they sat chatting, Terry told them that he and Estelle were students at the London School of Economics, and they did the tour to make some money in the evenings, and holiday time. Terry then downed his pint, thanked them both and said they’d got one more tour to do while it was still light, and they left.

“What shall we do now?” William asked looking at his watch, adding,

“The night is still relatively young”

Buffy smiled, swirled the last mouthful of wine around in her glass and said,

“Let’s just go back to the hotel, and have an early night, shall we?” she’d got a real twinkle in her eye when she said it and William grinned and stood up

“I’ll hail us a cab!”

************************


They woke bright and early, after a fairly athletic night!

“Morning Miss Limber!”

“Morning Mr Athletic!” Buffy smiled and cuddled him up

“I wasn’t too much for you last night, was I?” William asked

“Nope…I think I ‘gave’ good as I got don’t you?”

“You were pretty inventive! – With no complaints from me!”

“I’m starving!” Buffy said getting out of bed.

“Hmm, me too, must have been all that exercise we got last night!”

“Sexercice!” – So...what have you planned for today, hmm?” Buffy asked starting to get dressed.

“Well, I want to go to the bank, I think a new credit limit is in order now I’m going to have the rent money from the house paid into an account every month, and I’ve got to put those two cheques in too, the one from rent money already accrued and the other from the sale of the house in Stephenson Avenue, so now I’m rich, I thought you’d like to go shopping!”

Buffy grinned and said

“You know what I’d love?”

“What’s that kitten?”

“Tea at the Ritz…I know it’s well over a hundred dollars, but mom would be SO jealous, she’s always wanted to have tea there!”

“Okay, I’ll see what we can do. They probably do the same here, but if it’s the Ritz you want, then it’s the Ritz you’ll have my little one!”

Buffy swiftly moved round the bed and put her arms around William’s neck.

“You DO know if you were penniless, I’d still always love you” William smiled and gave her a squeeze

“I know babe…I‘ll always love you” he gave her a kiss and Buffy smiled

“Carry on like that, and we’ll miss breakfast!”

William looked out of the window and said,

“It looks glorious out there, shall we see about a trip on the Thames, after I’ve been to the bank?”

“Oh love it!”

On his way out, William had a word with the Concierge.


************************

“Phew – that was SO blowy!” Buffy said trying to calm her wild hair as the man helped her off the cruiser and onto the wharf steps.

“Great though, good way to see the Houses of Parliament and Westminster, from the river” William added.

“So, hungry yet sweetie, it’s nearly one o’ clock?”

“Um…shopping for a while?”

“Okay then…come on, I’ll get us a cab to Oxford Street”

In Oxford street they did some shopping, and as they decided to go back to the hotel, they walked passed a travel agents.

“Hold on….I’ve had an idea…”

Buffy sat and waited for William, having no idea what he was doing. When he’d finished he came and stood by her.

“What have you bought?”

“You’ll see – I must write a letter – they have stationery and stuff back at the hotel, don’t they?”

“Yeah – it’s in that bureau thingy by the window” Buffy said nodding

“Good – Come on then Muppet let’s get back” He slotted a long slim envelope into his inside pocket and they left the travel agents, and went back to the Savoy.

************************

Buffy opened the room door with the key-card and put her purchases on the bed. She yawned

“God, all this shopping has made me tired! – I think I’ll have a nap, then a shower…are we going out tonight – special I mean?”

“Oh yes! Dinner at Simpson’s no less, then dancing the night away at Aqua, the hottest new nightclub in town….look, I saw George, the concierge, he got me some tickets, (he showed her two salmon pink, gold edged tickets) these little beauties get us in AND a bottle of champagne there’s half price cocktails until midnight, we can celebrity spot – they’ve got a glass dance floor that lights up and everything!”

Buffy did a little dance of joy!

“Ooh – I can’t wait! So, are you coming for a lie down?”

“In a little while, I want to write a letter first”

“Has this anything to do with what you bought at the travel agency?”

“Yeah…you remember Mrs Samuels saying that they’d been saving their pennies to go see their new great grand son in New Zealand?” William asked, taking out the long slim envelope from his jacket pocket. Buffy nodded and said,

“Yes, and you’ve gone and bought them tickets to go there?” William nodded

“They were kindness itself to me, they’ve given me memories that I shall treasure for the rest of my life…do you think they’ll like it?”

Buffy came up to William and slipped her arms around his neck and said

“YOU, are the kindest, most generous soul I know, and no, they won’t like it, they’ll love it, and I for one think it’s a beautiful thing to do” She smiled up at him and then gave him a soft kiss.

William sat at the desk and wrote. He told them that their meeting had made him remember things he’d long forgotten, and had given him life-long memories to cherish, and now that he was in a good financial position, he’d like them to accept the two first class tickets to New Zealand with his love and gratitude – and to ‘Give Christine a kiss from me’, and also asked them to send him some photographs when they got back. The tickets were ‘open’, and they could travel anytime within the next eight months. He rang room service and a bell-hop came to the door. William gave him the letter to post.
Chapter 32 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
The Ritz http://www.theritzlondon.com/tea/index.asp

London Dungeon
http://www.thedungeons.com/en/london-dungeon/guide.html

Planetarium
http://www.tourist-information-uk.com/planetarium.htm

Madame Tussauds
http://www.madame-tussauds.co.uk/thestardome.htm
Chapter 32


Buffy sucked down the last of her cocktail, she felt light-headed – but wonderful.

“You okay Kitten?” William shouted over the music. Buffy nodded her head but said,

“Can we go home now?”

“Sure – that’s what I was just going to ask you” She got her coat from the cloakroom and they went outside. William hailed them a cab and they got back to the hotel.

Kicking off her shoes Buffy lay on the bed still dressed.

“Guess what I want?”

“What’s that babe?”

“A nice cup of tea!”

“Really?”

“Uh huh…and some cookies”

“Biscuits you mean!”

“Whatever”

“I’ll call room service then” William did so, and in less than five minutes, a trolley with tea things and a plate of biscuits were deposited in the room for them.

“Hmm…this is lovely!” Buffy held the tea cup and sipped her tea, and munched on a biscuit.

“Got to phone mom and dad tomorrow – (he glanced at his watch, it was 1.47am) today I mean, they’ll be back from grandma’s today”

“God she’s going to be SO surprised, dad too…”Buffy put her cup down and began to pour more tea for herself.

“William”

“Hmm?” (William was reading the ‘What’s On’ booklet)

“Will you finish your degree now – I mean now you’re so rich and that?”

“Oh yes – I worked hard to get there, it would be a shame to give it all up now. Besides, I’m not THAT rich…I haven’t sold the house yet, I don’t know what to do, I might not sell it yet – how would you like living in London?”

Buffy sat up nearly spilling her tea

“Would I?!!! It would be fantastic!”

“Expensive, but then I suppose any capital city is. Anyway, changing the subject, today we are shopping in the morning, phoning mom and dad, having Tea at the Ritz, seeing Spamalot at the Palace Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, and then we are going to TGI Friday’s American Bar and Grill ©, coz I fancy a good old American style barbecue!”

“Spamalot? – oh is that that British Monty Python thing?” Buffy asked

“It sure is!” William said with a grin

“Ooohhhh great – and I fancy American barbecue too!” Buffy stood and asked Will to help with her dress zip. She yawned and went into the bathroom to take off her make-up.

“What time is it?” She called from the bathroom

“Nearly 2 o’clock”

William, got undressed and got into bed

He was asleep when Buffy joined him, but she didn’t mind, she was tired and they had another big day in front of them.

******************************


Buffy just about managed to open the door with the key-card, her arms full of carrier bags.

William bought up the rear, he’d been stopped by the concierge on the way in.

Buffy collapsed on the bed with her purchases!

“Everything okay?”

“Oh yes, got the tickets for tonight, made the TGI’s © reservation for the post theatre supper and as for Tea at the Ritz, he’s pulled a few strings, there is apparently a three to four week waiting list!”

“Really, at that price, I am surprised!”

“Big with us Americans and Japanese, or so he says, anyway his cousin works there – I don’t believe a word of it, but it got him a nice fat tip from me so everybody’s happy” William said with a grin

“I’m happy…I’m deliriously happy, I’m just eighteen and have my first pair of Manolo’s!!! Buffy stroked the shoe box lovingly!

“So where else did you go while I bag watched in the food court hmm – you were at least half an hour!”

Buffy grinned and selected a pink and black shiny bag with Coco-de-Mer written on it

“Look what I’ve got…” She pulled out two lacy black filmy bits of nothing held together with what looked like a tiny diamante bar.

“For later!” William’s brows shot up appreciatively, and he grinned

“I see! And um…what – ahem, what else did you buy?” he’d gone red!

“This…and this and these” Buffy showed him a dress, some jeans and a matching bra and thong set

The dress was pretty, with a sweet-heart neck and a nipped in waist and full skirt.

“I told the lady I wanted something suitable to go to Tea at the Ritz in…I shall wear this, that little white shrug cardigan I bought yesterday and my black shiny pumps with the two inch heel”

“And I’m sure you’ll be the prettiest girl there! Okay then kitten, mom and dad will just be getting up now in good old Sunnydale…shall we ring them?”

“Yeah…are you um…are you going to say anything about us, you know being a couple?”

William gave a frown and said,

“I thought about it, but well, one thing at a time eh, and I WOULD like to tell them the other news face to face” Buffy smiled and nodded in agreement.

“Okay!”

She cleared a space on the bed and Will sat down, she came and knelt by him as he dialled, holding the handset between them so they could both hear and talk.

“Hi mom, didn’t wake you did we? – Good…………………oh were having a great time, aren’t we Buffy!”

“Sure are mom!” Buffy said

“Got loads to tell you, is dad there too? – Okay are you sitting down………”

“No, it’s nothing bad………ready? – I’ve got a house that’s worth practically 10 million dollars!.......Hello – mom – speak to me – m-…………no, I’m not joking, the solicitors have been renting it out for me, I’ve got nearly another million from the sale of the old place in Stephenson Avenue, and the rent from the new place in Holland Park – I know, I can hardly believe it myself!..........................................”

William was still smiling when he put the phone down.

“Well, I think that went okay, don’t you think?” Buffy grinned

“I’d have given anything to have seen her face when you told her how much the house was worth!” Buffy said

“Dad sounded over the moon!”

“Yeah…I think I’ll buy him that Bentley Turbo he’s always wanted…what does mom want?”

“Oh, one of those log cabins in the mountains!”

“I’ll have to see how much they are!”

“Don’t be silly, they won’t expect anything!” Buffy said

“I know – it would just be really nice if I could give something back to them, you know…for adopting me in the first place”

“They adopted you for me as much as themselves, you know” Buffy said

“Yeah?” William circled her tiny waist with his arms and pulled her down for a kiss.

“I’d have come to live in that place with you and Mrs Thingy if they hadn’t!”

William looked down into her big green eyes

“Where, St Chad’s with Mrs Betts?”

“Uh huh!”

“You know, I believe you!”

Buffy smiled and laid her head on his shoulder.


***********************************


“Oh gods, I REALLY can’t believe I’m here, I keep thinking pinch myself and I’ll wake up!” Buffy sat in the opulent room at the Ritz waiting for their tea to be brought to them.

“So, why did you pick Darjeeling tea?” William asked with a grin

Buffy shrugged

“Don’t know, just liked the sound of it – oh god, I just thought, I hope it’s not like that stinky herbal stuff Willow used to drink!”

“I doubt it – oh look, here it comes, those waiters are coming towards us!”

*****

The little cakes and sandwiches they couldn’t manage were boxed for them to take away and they left. William had discreetly taken a couple of photographs with his digital camera – just to show Joyce.

“Mom will be SO envious!” Buffy said grinning

“Well, I was thinking, we’ll all come over here soon, and I’ll book on-line and bring her to tea here, she’ll love it!”

“They came to London for their Honeymoon”

“Yes I know”

“So…ready for the next thing?”

“Lead me to it!” Buffy said and William hailed a cab.

***********************

They went to Baker St and The London Planetarium and Madame Tussaud’s Waxwork Museum.

“Oh – that planetarium…it’s amazing, all those billions of stars!”

“Sure is…makes me want to go out and buy a telescope now!” William said. He hailed a cab and they went back to the hotel.

After two hours of practically crying with laughter at Spamalot, they made their way to TGI Friday’s for their post-theatre supper……………………

“I’m starving!” Buffy said eagerly snagging the menu up off the table.

“Hmm…I fancy all of it! – I’m going to have………”

“Fancy sharing the Combo?” William asked

“Nope – I could eat that on my own!” Buffy said with a grin

“I bet – you and your hollow legs…okay then, well I’m going to have a Jack Daniels American Grill”

“No starter?”

“Hang on – listen the grills got it all, A succulent rib-eye steak, a char-grilled chicken breast smothered in sweet and smoky Jack glaze, Cajun Battered shrimp, Cajun Battered onion rings, fresh veg AND fries!” William read out from the menu.

“Wow, make that two then! – And a Long Island ice Tea!”

“Okay, but only one mind, I don’t want to have to carry you home!”

Buffy grinned at him and was already looking at the desserts….

“I don’t know where you put it all, I really don’t!” William said shaking his head smiling as the huge triple-deep slice of chocolate fudge cake served with a scoop of ice-cream was placed in front of Buffy, who was salivating with a fork at the ready. She’d already seen off the American grill with ease!

“HMMMMMMMMM…Oh god, it’s GORGEOUS! – Here try some!”

William accepted the forkful off her, but declined another.

“Very nice, but too rich for me!”

Buffy grinned and dug in with relish

“Hmm, yummy…although perhaps, not as nice as Franz’ one!”

“Speaking of which…I must check the flight times home”

“Oh boo! Don’t wanna go home, having too much fun here! – What are we doing tomorrow?”

“Well, as it’s our last full day, Trafalgar Square, The London Dungeons, last bit of shopping, I MUST get something for Benny, and then there’s the last theatre trip of course”

“Great! I’ve got Benny a little teddy with a Union Jack tee shirt on!” Buffy said

“Actually…that would be the Union flag…it’s only called the Union Jack when it’s flown on-board ship!” William corrected her

“Oooh get you! – Can we go to Carnaby St?”

“Sure we can…I might by Benny one of those psychedelic kipper ties!”

Buffy giggled, and then said

“God we’ve had such a wonderful time here, haven’t we?”

“The best!”

Buffy finished her drink and Will called for the bill.

On their way into the hotel, William was called by reception and passed a letter, it had been hand-delivered and just said ‘William Campbell’ on the front of the envelope.

When he was inside their room, he opened it and began to read:

Dearest William,

Words cannot express how touched and grateful we are for your very kind and thoughtful gift of the flight tickets which we received this morning.
It means Margaret and I can stay longer with Christine and her family, as we can use what we saved for the tickets as spending money. To be able to be with them longer is just wonderful, at our age we have to count our blessings, and when we telephoned her with the good news last night she was delighted, doubly so as we also found out what happened to you. Geoffrey said he was sorry to miss you, but you are to look him up next time you come. We have your addresses in America, and you can be sure of some photos, Christine will probably email them to you, she’s good at things like that now living in the back of beyond it’s a case of having to be!

Well, best of luck in your forth-coming exams, and keep in touch, thank you again. Much love and Bless you,

George and Margaret XX

William smiled and passed the letter to Buffy, who read it.

“Oh isn’t that sweet! I’m so glad you did what you did!”

“Yes, me too…(he yawned) god, I’m tired!”

Buffy was in the bathroom taking off her make-up. Two minutes later she said,

“Sorry, what was…” She smiled fondly at him; he was already in bed, fast asleep.

******************************

The following day, after a full day of shopping and site-seeing, the London Dungeon included, Buffy was ready to collapse, her feet were aching.

She yodelled and collapsed on the bed

“God, I’m nick-nacky-noo-narred!”

William frowned smiled

“You’re what?!!!”

She struggled to sit up and said

“Knackered! You know tonight, after the theatre”

“Hmm”

“Well, could we get real fish and chips? – You know, out of the newspaper type, I’ve always wanted to try them!”

William laughed and said

“Okay Muppet…I’ll see what I can do!”

************************

Later on, when they came out of the theatre from having seen Chicago, William hailed a cab. They were a bit disappointed because it was raining, that meant they couldn’t wander around eating their supper outside, but the taxi driver, whom William sought his knowledge told them he’d take them to a place that nearly all the cab drivers went to, it was a pie and eel shop, but it did fish and chips and kebabs too, open 24 hours a day.

“It’s down passed Vauxhall Bridge, bit rough and ready Princess, but it’s clean and the grub’s good!” The driver said to Buffy with a wink. She smiled and asked William to translate, she didn’t understand his thick cockney accent.

“He said it’s a bit…basic I suppose, but it’s clean and the food’s good”

“That’s all we want!”

The driver pulled up and William and Buffy got out and joined the long queue. There was steam on the inside and condensation, but the smell of frying food, rich gravy and such set their tummies rumbling.

Buffy settled on fish and chips, William had pie, mash and liquor, a type of tasty parsley gravy/sauce. They sat at one of the vacant but well-worn Formica topped tables and awaited their order.

“Well…I’d have thought our last night you’d have wanted to go somewhere swanky!” William said. His meal, along with bread and butter and a mug of tea was placed in front of him.

“No, this is perfect! And look, we’ll have no problem getting a cab home, there must be three dozen out there at least!” Buffy began to tuck into her battered cod and chips

“Hmm…food of the gods!” She said eyes closed and grinning.

**********************

At 10.30am the following morning they checked out and got a cab to Heathrow. Their flight was for 12.50pm. Both were sad to leave, they’d had such a wonderful time, so good it seemed magical and almost unreal, but Buffy knew she’d got a suitcase full of shopping that wouldn’t let her forget, and William had a treasure-trove of memories to cherish. All to quickly they were on their way back to New England, and back to a bit of reality!
Chapter 33 and Epilogue by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thanks to all those who stuck with this, i hope you all enjoyed it
Chapter 33


Stepping over a huge pile of mail Buffy sagged and put down her suitcase in the hallway and yawned. William followed her in carrying the two big heavy cases and put them down.

“I’m not sorry we’re home!”

“I am!”

“Yes, no, well, you KNOW what I mean!” William said bending to scoop up as much of the mail as he could.

“Want a drink?”

“Coffee would be great, yeah”

Buffy went into the kitchen and let the tap run for along time before filling the tea kettle.

“Anything interesting in the mail?”

“Hmm? – Oh, not really…junk mail, circulars…something here about a winter dance at the uni…telephone bill…there’s a note here from Benny, he wants me to ring him ASAP, I’ll do it now”

“Okay”

Buffy bought in two mugs of black coffee while William was on the phone

“Benny, it’s me…………oh absolutely fantastic thanks………yeah, just this minute came through the door…………… oh yes………really – wow that’s brilliant…………uh huh………uh huh……sure we can, but we’ll need a sleep first………yeah okay then………yeah thanks, it is nice to be home in one way! Okay then my friend, later”

William put the phone down and said to Buffy,

“You know this project Benny and I are doing about a computer programme to help the severely disabled, (Buffy nodded as she sipped her scalding hot coffee) well, it’s been picked out again for special funding, AND get this, they want to do a TV programme about us!”

“Wow, you’ll be famous!”

“And, that’s not all, you know that mini project I was doing on my own”

“No, what’s that then?”

“The one to render cell-phones useless if they are stolen, well one of the big companies are interested in it!”

“You didn’t tell me about that!” Buffy said, putting her coffee down.

“Didn’t I? It’s really simple, when you buy a new mobile cell phone, in the box with it will come two codes. You must enter the locking code into the phone before you use it, and then keep it safe. If your phone gets lost or stolen, you simply either go to the nearest land-line phone or computer, log your phone as missing and enter the locking code – the code then activates a micro-chip that shuts down the phone completely, you can switch it on and off, but that’s it, it won’t allow calls to be made, menu to be accessed so nobody can see your list of phone numbers or anything – the only thing you can do on it, is dial 911 if need be. If you find it, you simply enter the ‘unlocking code’ and there you go, one fully functioning phone again”

“That’s brilliant – so simple yet…you are SO clever!” Buffy grinned

“Well it means if some poor devil is robbed, it’s pointless taking his phone as it’ll be useless. Those who don’t get their phones back are simply sent a new phone by the company, with however much credit or time and texts they had on their old one”

“Sheer genius, I don’t know how you think of it!”

“Actually, it was one day at lunch, I overheard a conversation. One of the girls was telling her friends how her sister was mugged in Queens, and had her cell-phone taken, she was only three days into her new monthly allowance of 200 hours of calls and 400 texts for her $40, and how she couldn’t afford to buy a new phone”

“Oh dear, poor girl

“Anyway, Benny said he suspects we haven’t been food shopping so he said to go to the restaurant tonight, is that okay with you?”

Buffy smacked her lips together and said,

“Hmm, yes, I DO fancy a Chinese, some of those pork, ginger and spring onion dumplings and crispy lemon chicken with egg fried rice!”

“You’re a dumpling! Come on, let’s go lie down shall we, I’m knackered!”

***************************

“Benny my friend, how are you!” William greeted his friend warmly

“It’s great to se you, you look very well Buffy!”

“I’m great thanks! Had such a fantastic time, here these are for you!” She handed him a small carrier bag with the union flag and ‘I ♡ London’ on it.

“Oh, thank you! That’s really kind of you!”

They sat at the little corner table and Benny asked them what they wanted.

They sat and chatted about London, But William didn’t say anything about having found out his other was famous or the house in Holland Park.

“Have you seen Franz?”

Buffy looked up, chewed, swallowed and said,

“No, it was odd, I popped round earlier on just before we came here, but the windows of the café and shop have paper over them so you can’t see in, and there’s a notice on the door saying ‘closed until further notice’ – I got no answer at the door, do you know what’s going on?”

“Apparently his mother was given the wrong drugs in hospital, and that’s what killed her”

Buffy and William looked wide-eyed and shocked, William said,

“Just before we went to London, he phoned us in the middle of the night to tell us his mother had died, the hospital had called him back and told him she’d had a bad reaction to some drugs they’d given her and didn’t expect her to last the night” William explained

“He was telling my uncle that instead of antibiotics, they’d given her beta-blockers and they’d caused a heart attack, she was too ill and weak to survive” Benny told them

“Oh god what a shame, poor Franz!”

“He’s gone away for a few days, he should be back by Saturday”

“I wonder if he’s going to sue the hospital – I know I would!” Buffy said

***************************

Following Morning

“Who was that on the phone?” Buffy asked as she perched on the bed in her towelling robe, rubbing her hair vigorously with a towel.

“Mom, she told me that they’re coming to see us before I go back to uni”

“Did she say why?”

“Does she have to have a reason, she misses us!” William said with a smile

“When are they coming?”

“They’ll be here on Thursday”

“So that’s two days for us to think of a way to tell them OUR news too then!” William nodded

“What are you going to do today?” Buffy tried pulling a comb through her hair and was gritting her teeth.

“Laundry, shopping, and I really must catch up on some revising, I’ve got exams in less than four weeks”

“You’ll be alright, you always are – OW! – This new cream rinse I’ve got is neither creamy nor rinsey!” Buffy looked at all the hair she’d pulled out with the comb.

She lay back on the bed, lifted a leg in the air and said,

“Guess what I want to do?”

“Give in” William said, still half asleep.

“Well, I could just go a cooked breakfast now…bacon, sausages, scrambley eggs and toast, tall orange and grapefruit juice and coffee, then shopping in Oxford Street, and then…a trip on top of a Red London Tour bus, tea at the Ritz followed by the theatre – no, not the theatre, dancing and cocktails at Aqua! - Oh and then fish and chips at that cabbies place by Vauxhall bridge to round off the day!”

William smiled and felt for her hand.

“We DID have a great time, didn’t we!”

“Oh THE bestest!”

“Got through a bit of cash though!”

Buffy sat up

“How much?”

“Don’t you worry, I can more than afford it!”

“I know…but how much? Buffy asked ready to wince

“Well, flights, hotels, food, entertainment, tips, cabs and shopping, everything, roughly $6,500 – but that includes the flight tickets I bought for George and Margaret too, plus all the designer shopping!”

“Good grief!”

“Hey, I don’t mind, we had us a brilliant time, it was worth every penny!”

“Sure was…oh well, it’s no use lying here dreaming………gotta go food hopping! Come on, I’ll treat you to breakfast at the waffle shack”

“Okay Muppet, you’re on!” William threw back the bedclothes and went to the bathroom.

*******************************************

“Do they want us to meet them from the airport?” Buffy asked as William put the phone down.

“No, dad said it would be easier for them to just get a taxi, save time looking for each other and that, here’s just a delay getting the luggage through or something” Buffy nodded and re-straightened the cushions on the sofa.

“I feel nervous!” Buffy said, getting frustrated as one of the cushions kept on sagging

“YOU do, how do you think I feel…what if dad wants to kill me?”

Swapping the cushions over and putting the saggy one on the end, Buffy dived for the phone as it rang.

“This’ll be Franz…Hello – Franz, how are you?..........................Uh huh, no honestly it’s fine, Benny told us what happened………when?............Next week – oh yes………uh huh, do they know what they’ve got to do?............Sure, course I don’t mind………okay then, see you then, bye”

Buffy put the phone down and looked at an expectant William

“Franz said would I let the builders into the café next week on Monday and Tuesday, they know what alterations are to be done, he’ll be back on Wednesday, he said he’ll pay me as normal. Once all the alterations are done, we’ll be open for business as usual”

“That’s good of him!”

“Yeah………so I wonder what time will they get here?”

“Within the next hour I suppose…come here Muppet, stop looking so worried!”

Buffy immediately went to Will, who cuddled her up, kissing the top of her head.

“Hold my hand when I tell them, hmm?” Will said quietly, his lips close to her forehead. Buffy looked up and smiled and then kissed him

“Of course”

***************************************

“Can you see me, I’m by the garage at the top, if you look passed the fallen tree you can see me and my hair’s sticking up!” Joyce angled one of the photographs that William had been given by the Samuels’ and she grinned

“Oh! You look SO cute! How old were you there?”

“About three I think………and this one was of my mom and dad before I was born, taken at the Queen’s jubilee street party. Dad had just started playing for Fulham” Joyce passed the photos over to Hank, who put his coffee down and took them.

“And the Samuels just gave you these photos did they?”

“Yeah…they used to baby sit me when I was a baby, then their daughter Christine did it when I got a bit older, she lives in New Zealand now, on a sheep station. They were so nice to me, gave me so many memories back. They told us they were going to see Christine this year…so anyway, as a present, I bought them the tickets to go” William said

Joyce looked up at him and smiled

“That was very kind of you”

“They were so nice, weren’t they Buffy?”

“Kindness itself – they said they’d always wondered what had happened to him, as the social welfare or whoever over there wouldn’t tell them anything when the accident happened”

“And I expect you want to see a photo of the house now?” William drew out a brown envelope from the file his mother had sent him originally.

“Don’t expect it to look like a palace, apparently, it’s the location, Holland Park” William gave Joyce the picture

Joyce was still impressed

“How many bedrooms did you say son?” Hank asked staring in wonder at the picture

“Six, and six bathrooms too – plenty of room for you to come and stay when we’re living there” William said trying to stop his voice shaking.

“When you live there?” Joyce asked looking up

“Yes…I kinda thought, well WE thought… (William licked his lips and reached for Buffy’s hand – here goes, it’s now or never) when I finish my degree, well see, when I’ve done with my exams…Buffy and I will get married, and move to London”

Silence

“Buffy and-“

“Well I think that’s a WONDERFUL idea, don’t you honey?” Hank said grinning

Joyce smiled too

“Oh goodness, come here! We wondered if you’d - well you always said you’d get married, and we wondered if it would be legal, didn’t we Hank”

“I looked into it, well had a friend discreetly look into it, and he said as there was no blood ties at all, and it was us that adopted you, not Buffy – he couldn’t see any problems. Adopting you really means being your legal guardian”

“Yes, that’s what I read when I looked it up on the Internet………you might as well know mom, dad, we’re living as a couple now…I don’t want things to be uncomfortable for you”

“No…there are things a father shouldn’t know about, but we’re both very happy that she’s chosen you Will – we couldn’t ask for a better son-in-law” Both Buffy and William visibly relaxed, smiling.

“We’re both very pleased that you want to finish your degree first though, aren’t we Hank, that is very important” Joyce said, and hank nodded in agreement.

Buffy stood up and said

“Will, tell mom and dad about your solo uni project about the cell phone anti-theft code”


*********************************************
Later that night, after hank and Joyce had gone to their hotel, Buffy and William were lying in bed………

“Well…that went a lot better than I thought, they took it well, don’t you think?”

“Oh yes Mr! Getting married – you haven’t asked me yet!” Buffy said grinning, poking Will in the tummy

“Oh but you will, won’t you!”

“ I might!” Buffy said grinning

“Get married to me, move to London…all that designer shopping…theatres….dinners out, tough decision for you”

“Then again…when we go home at Christmas, I might just look up – Riley!” Buffy said folding her arms across her chest, but she was smiling.

William started to laugh

“That soldier boy – Idaho white-bread pasty-faced BOYFRIEND of Anya the evil-one?” Buffy was grinning

“Yeah…or um…Xander” She was very careful NOT to say Angel, THAT wouldn’t be funny at all.

“Xander – rrrrrrrrrright, yeah him…I always thought he was a bit…suspect”

“Suspect? What do you mean?”

“Well…the way he used to hang around the showers after football training, waiting for Larry”

“And?”

“And what, Larry was as bent as a nine dollar note”

“Larry was what?” Buffy asked frowning

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have said it like that – Larry was gay”

“NO WAY!”

“He was!”

“Larry, the one who used to knock folders out of our hands and try and look up our skirts and down our tops?”

“That’s the one!”

“Well, I’m shocked………anyway, just because were getting married, doesn’t let you off the hook asking me properly!”

William reached over and began to tickle her

“I will, when the time comes!” Buffy left it at that, she knew he wouldn’t let her down. At the moment she had a more pressing matter – how to get away from his tickling fingers and to breath!

***********************************

Epilogue

In the few weeks running up to Christmas, William perfected his anti-phone theft idea from not only one that was all ready built in to a cell phone, to one that could be used in all mobiles, via a new SIM card. This was the piece of hardware that made him the most money, and by the time he’d finished his degree three years later, that idea alone had made him a multi-millionaire.

His duel project with Benny won several awards, and a special proto-type house was built with touch/voice sensor pads was built, and people with varying degrees of disability were invited to come and live in it for a week and to give their thoughts and comments on it. One award from Government for the Enterprise Award scheme helped both William and Benny to get first class degrees with honours. Benny went onto study further into Artificial Intelligence and went on to a job in Government.

There was nobody more proud of William that day when he graduated, Buffy sat with her mother and father listening to the speeches.

Having worked so hard, William thought that everybody needed a treat and he took Buffy, Joyce and Hank to London – this would be the first time they’d seen the house since it came into William’s procession three years previously.

He took them to meet the Samuels’, they saw all the sights, including tea at the Ritz!

A month later, Buffy’s birthday loomed and she was slightly surprised that William hadn’t mentioned it. On her actual birthday, she woke to find an outfit ready for her to put on, and a small suitcase packed

“Where are we going?”

“You’ll see!” Was all William would tell her.

They flew to Paris, and in a beautiful restaurant by the river in the moonlight William got down on one knee and asked Buffy to marry him, holding the most beautiful heart-shaped solitaire diamond ring. She was so surprised that she was speechless for a few seconds, tears sprang to her eyes and she blurted out

“Yes – yes of course! Yes, oh YES!” Will slipped the ring on her finger to the sound of a Champagne cork popping. He kissed her tenderly and it seemed like every other patron in the restaurant cheered them!


*********

It was a sad day for Buffy when she left her job at the ‘Café on the Corner’ as it had become to be known. Franz’ business had gone from strength to strength, and he opened another café nearer the university and took on another baker to help him cope with the huge demand for his delicious bread and cakes.

It was also sad when they moved out of their little flat above the book shop, their first place as a couple, but they were moving to another country and another new start – Married life was calling them.



The End
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=20564