Growing Pains by GoldenBuffy
Summary: Being a teen can be tough. It’s a rough road, gaining knowledge and maturity through trial and error. Sometimes we’ll make the right choice, and, at other times, the wrong ones. What we achieve during these years will help shape and mold us, making us what we’ll be when we’re older. And these are what we call Growing Pains. I am Buffy Summers, and these are mine.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 25489 Read: 12190 Published: 12/31/2007 Updated: 02/12/2008

1. Chapter One: New Year New Me by GoldenBuffy

2. Chapter Two: Someday by GoldenBuffy

3. Chapter Three: Feelin' Way Too Damn Good by GoldenBuffy

4. Chapter Four: Promiscuous? by GoldenBuffy

5. Chapter Five: Fell On Black Days by GoldenBuffy

6. Chapter Six: You Learn by GoldenBuffy

7. Chapter Seven: One in a Million by GoldenBuffy

8. Chapter Eight: The Bright Side of the Rainbow by GoldenBuffy

Chapter One: New Year New Me by GoldenBuffy
Author's Notes:
I needed to start writing this since it was bouncing around in my skull for a long time. Again, just a break from It Happened One Night, to get those creative juices flowing. I hope this isn’t the typical teen scene fic, but if it is, I hope you enjoy it anyway. And as always don’t forget to review. They make me happy and I can write more. There’s a bit of Buffy’s point of view in this fic, but it’s as if she’s talking in her head as events play out before her. A little narration in some respect.
*****

Chapter One: New Year. New Me.



The hall was over crowed with the throng of teens as they wiggled, squirmed, and push their way up and down it. Some rested against lockers, or stood talking with friends. Buffy was still amongst all this, oblivious to all around her as her eyes absorbed the one person she’d been longing to see.


She stood. She stared. She was chewing her bottom lip in deep contemplation. He was there, in the flesh, and only twenty feet away, casually leaning his head back on his locker. Because it was, his. It had been his since Freshmen year, not her Freshmen year but his. He’d been held back a year. She always guessed that he felt he was too cool for school. But obviously even those who thought that way had to attend classes on a regular basis to obtain their diploma and graduate.


But despite the minor drawback he was everything to her. He was the reason that her heart skipped a beat. He was the small bounce that Buffy sometimes held in her step. He was the naughty fuel that drove her wildest fantasies. Though said fantasies were tame lacking imagination. It was as if she tried, but Buffy was sourly lacking in the lovin’ with my honey department. She had yet to truly be kisses, never mind bumping uglies with a guy.


She sighed.


“William – Spike – Pratt. God, I love the way that sounds. Sometimes I feel like some sick, twisted, demented person who stands and gawks at a beautiful creature which is completely unattainable. Have I stooped so low on the stalking scale that I’ve reduced him to a piece of meat? There for my greedy eyes?


Is he an animal on display for my viewing satisfaction only? But it’s not like it’s my fault. I’m weak and full of self lusting, one cannot judge me! I mean, it’s him! He gorgeous! Not a single flaw on him. He’s perfect and I’m in love with that. No, scratch that, I’m in love with him. Spike is a girl’s walking fantasy with the way cool leather coat, the bleached blond hair, and his oh so sexy cheek bones. Should I even be noticing cheek bones? I mean I’m only fifteen. *sigh*

It’s weird. It’s like my whole life centers around a guy who doesn’t even know that I exist. Hell, I could be drowning in front of him stark naked, and he wouldn’t even notice. God, why is the world so cruel?”



Buffy sighed, mouthing his name in a dream like state. Spike. His nickname only causing her cheeks to redden more as she thought of all the reasons why he was given that moniker.


“Buffy! Buffy!” A voice shouted. Faith sighed as she walked up to her friend, then standing in front of her, blocking her perfectly good view of Spike. Buffy frowned.


“I’ve been calling you for like five seconds.” The girl looked down at her watch then over her shoulder to where her friend was gazing, that glazed over lust filled look in her eye. Didn’t take a genius to guess who had her in La La Land. “Still lusting over “Mr. Leather” I see.” Faith added with a smirk.


Buffy pursed her lips as she glared at her. “I was so not lusting.” Faith only snorted in reply.


Buffy huffed. “Fine! I was lusting, but only a little. I haven’t seen him in,” she paused to count out in her head when was the last time she had laid eyes on him. “seventeen hours. My Spike reservoir is low. It needed a refill.”


Faith was about to reply when she heard her voice being yelled over the throng of kids. Both girls glanced towards the south end of the hallway, were the entrance to the school was. There, in the army green cargo shorts and tacky Hawaiian shirt stood Faith’s long time best friend, Xander Harris. He weaved his way through some kids before reaching them with a wave a smile.


Buffy hung back and watched the two laugh and joke, that special way that was totally Faith and Xander. Faith Lehane and Xander Harris had been best friends for as long as Buffy had seen them. One day she would have to ask how they met.


Turning her eyes wandered the hall spotting kids here and, there that she knew only throw classes together, before steeling one more glace at the secret love of hers. Buffy’s brow knitted together when she spotted her. A lifetime seemed to have passed since they last spoken to each other.


“Willow Rosenberg. The all time best friend that I had until we parted ways, in a not so pleasant way in fact. We’ve been friends forever, funny how you just drift apart. But I wouldn’t actually call it drifting; it was more of a tugging on my end. I decided that it was time to spread my wings and fly. She was safe. She was home. She was all I knew for like… forever. We did everything together. My mom even has a picture of us bathing together when we were like three.

It’s just. How do you tell someone whom you’ve been friends with since birth that you need to see other people? You just can’t. There is no easy way to go about it. No matter how you say it, how nice you word it, they still get hurt. It’s been three months since we last spoke. Since we “broke up.” And she still refuses to speak to me. To look at me. She won’t even lend me a pencil in science class. But I guess she has the right to her feelings.”



Buffy tried to wave but Willow completely ignored her, acting as if she didn’t even see her standing there. Instead she waved to another girl further down the hall before continuing on her way.



Buffy frowned. At least she tried. With a sigh she turned back to her friends. Xander was talking animatedly about some stupid Star Trek marathon that was on last night. Faith was listening but still making fun of him all the while. Buffy giggled, she was glad that she made the decision to get to know them, and that they let her into their merry band of two, and made it three.



*****


Turning the water off Buffy shock the excess off her hands and reached for a paper towel. Xander anticipated her move and ripped a few piece from the dispenser then handed them to her. She accepted with a small smile.


Faith walked out of the bathroom stall; toilet flushing behind her. “So, B, give anymore thought to what I said?”


Buffy frowned curling a lock of her chestnut hair around her finger. “I don’t know… I mean. It’s a big change.”


“Duh, hence you doing it. It’ll be an added bonus to the new you.” Faith walked over to the girl tossing her arm over her shoulder. “And it will totally bring out your eyes. Won’t it Xander?”


“Huh, oh, yeah. It would Buffy.” Xander replied offhandedly. He was to busy admiring Faith.


The bell rang before she could give an answer, which Buffy was grateful for. Turning she smiled at her friends then ran out of the girls bathroom and to her fourth period class.


*****

The calls seemed to have droned on and on, causing Buffy to glace at the clock hanging on the wall. Did the minute hand even move since the last time she looked at it? Well if it had it didn’t seem that way to her. She tried to muffle the yawn that wanted to break through, and almost stifled the urge until it fought its way out at the last moment.


“Am I boring you, Miss. Summers?” Mister Henderson questioned.


Eyes winding Buffy quickly shook her head in the negative. He was about to say something else when the class door opened and in walked Spike. Mister Henderson’s wrath quickly turned to the other teen.


“I see you’ve decided to grace us with your presence today. Maybe if you did this more often last year then you wouldn’t have to repeat my class this year, Mr. Pratt.” A few kids snickered at the teacher’s remark. Spike only smirked giving him the two fingered salute. Henderson narrowed his eyes, scribbled something down in his notebook that accompanied him during class, and then turned his attention back to his students.


Buffy just sat and stared. He was in her class. HE. As in Spike, was in her class. Oh, God. Buffy had to fight the urge of beating her head off her desk several times before she was able to center herself. Her hands started to tremble and she was quite sure there were some sweating of the palms, but it was totally understandable. William (Spike her brain shouted) Pratt was in her class, sitting only a few feet way from her. At that moment he looked up from something he was drawing on the desk, and smirked at her. He’s blue eyes dancing with mischief.


She was caught, just like a deer in headlights. And the bleached blond sitting across from her was the car, intent on running her over. Had he caught her ogling him? Did he know that she was ogling him? No, he couldn’t have. Just like he wasn’t now smirking at her. She looked to her left them to her right, and despite every cell screaming at her not to look back at him, she did. This time Spike wiggled his eyebrows along with the smirk. Buffy’s eyes widened and she could feel her checks turning red. She quickly turned away and started scribbling in her notebook.


“God, could I be even more a moron. Hello, he actually made some kind of contact with me and what do I do? I totally flake. Go all Blushy Buffy on him and spaz out. Now he probably thinks I’m a dork. Scratch that. He KNOWS that I’m a dork.”


*****

“And you looked away?” Faith asked, mouth hanging open.


Buffy ducked her head, reaching up to push her hair behind her ear, then remembered that it was currently wrapped in a plastic shower cap. “Umm, yeah. What else was I supposed to do?”


“Well, for starters you should have smirked back.” The other girl answered peeking into a cabinet. She closed it then turned to Xander. “Am I right? Must I teach her everything?” The boy only nodded watching her as she turned back around to look through another cabinet.


“I don’t know how to smirk, well not the way he did it. On me it would look as if I were having a massive seizure or something. Totally spaz worthy.” Buffy patted at the top of her head. “My scalp is starting to burn. Can I was this stuff out?”


*****


She frowned. This was not the girl that went into the shower only ten minutes ago. “Maybe this was a huge mistake.”


“It wasn’t a mistake. Look at you. You look hot!” Faith said coming to stand behind her, gazing at Buffy’s reflection in the mirror.


Xander was lounging on the bed playing with her stuffed pig Mr. Gordo. “Yeah, Buff, you look pretty.”


Faith rolled her eyes. “Just pretty? Please. You look like a blonde sex kitten.” Buffy arched her brow. “Okay, fine, a blonde sex kitten in the making. Once it’s dried and with some curls you’ll see. You’ll be beating the boys off with a stick.”


That earned a small smile from Buffy who was still frowning at the limp blonde mess that was her new dye job. “But I don’t want to beat boys off. Ewww! That totally came out wrong.”


Faith snorted. “Yeah, ‘cause we know there’s only one boy whom you want to beat off.” She got up and started stumbling around the room, fluttering her eyes over dramatically, and clutching her hands to her heart. “Oh, Spike, you’re the only boy for me. I want to do things to you that I can’t even say.” Faith collapsed onto the bed in a fit of giggles, Xander joining her.


Buffy turned around snatched up her towel to throw it at them. “That’s so not funny. And I do not act like that around him.”


Xander stopped laughing. “Buffy, you can’t even form a coherent thought when Spike’s in the area. In your words you are a spaz.”


“Yeah, well, thanks for the vote of confidence.”


*****


Joyce walked into the kitchen and sidestepped the body that was hanging halfway out the fridge. “Honey, don’t spoil you dinner with junk.”


Buffy stood closing the door behind her. “I’m not, Mom. Just grabbing a diet coke.”


“So, how was…” Joyce trailed off once getting a good look at her child. “You’ve dyed your hair.”


“Yeah,” she reached up pulling a few strands to her face and inspecting them. “Do you like it?”


Her mother smiled. “Yes, it’s nice. I just wished you would have discussed this with me before you went ahead and did it. That’s all.”


“I’m fifteen, Mom, not twelve. I think this hardly falls under ‘I need to discuss this with Mom’ category. I don’t even see what the big deal is. All I did was dye my hair!”


“Calm down. I didn’t mean it like that. I know how old you are, I did give birth to you. All I’m saying is…”


Buffy cut her off. “All you’re saying is that you want to control my life. But you’re not. I can make my own decisions.” With that Buffy stormed out of the kitchen and up to her bedroom.


Hank walked into the kitchen. “What was that all about?” He looked up the steps in confusion only catching the middle and end of the heated argument.


With a sigh, Joyce walked over to her husband throwing her arms around him. He returned the gesture and hugged her. “That, I’m afraid is our daughter turning into a young woman.”


“And the new hair color.”


“Rebellion. I think. I need to hit those parenting books once more.”


*****

A/N: Well that was chapter one. What do you think? Any good? Do you want me to continue?
Chapter Two: Someday by GoldenBuffy
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the encouraging words, and I’m thrilled that you all want more. So here’s chapter two, hope you like this one. Not too much, there is a curse word a few times somewhere. So you’ve been warned, lol. I took the chapter title from Nickelback.

Also, school starts back the day after tomorrow for my kids, so I'm not sure when the next update will be.
*****

Chapter Two: Someday



“It’s the same old same, old, everyday. Tedious. Mind numbing. Boring. We’re young, we’re not supposed to be copped up in a building all day, being subject to listening to grown people drown on and on about things that we’ll never actually use in life. And, yet, here we are. I’m almost 100% sure that school is a special level in Hell carved out for kids, designed to break our spirits and keep us in line.”


Buffy balled up the piece of paper towel in her hand and tossed it at the garbage bin. She watched as it bounced off the rim and, then tumbled to the floor, joining the others carelessly left there.


“As I was saying, there’s this party tonight. Wanna come?”


Buffy frowned at her reflection. This blonde hair was something she really needed to get used to. “Party? On a school night? Yeah, right. Like my parents would ever let me go to one on a school night.”


“Well,” Faith shrugged, then giving herself a once over in the mirror. “who said you’d actually have to tell your parents where you’re going? You can always bend the truth.”


Buffy mocked surprise. “Are you saying that I should lie to the parental units? Yeah, and if they find out it will go over so well, not. Not to mention a grounding to end all groundings.”



“Aww, come one Buffy, you have to at least try. For me.” Faith smirked. “Do it for me. It won’t be the same without you. Oh, and Spike will be there.” She said in a sing song voice.



“He will?” “Okay, this is the part where I start getting all kinds of ideas in my head. I mean, it’s Spike. I have to be there. I have to get there, even if I have to crawl through snow and ice and walk through hail. Most likely I’ll sit in the shadows and watch him from afar, but at least we’d be in the same space after school.”



“Okay, fine. I’ll come with. Just let me think up a cover.”



“Why not tell your mom that you’re sleeping at my house?”



“Won’t fly. My mom dislikes you with a passion. She thinks you’re leading me down a road of debauchery.” Buffy frowned. “Like she even knows what that means.”



“Well you’ll think of something, then you can meet me at the end of your block and we’ll go from there.” Faith gave herself one more look in the mirror then at the door to the bathroom. “Wonder where Xander is? I’m gonna go find him. See you later, B.”



“Yeah, later.” The former brunette turned blonde was left alone with her thoughts and, how to go about convincing her parents to let her out on a school night, when a toilet flushed. She rolled her eyes in irritation. She really hated when other people were present to eavesdrop on her conversations.



The bathroom stall opened and out walked the last person that she wanted to see. The redhead walked towards the sinks, opting to use the one farthest away from her former friend. Buffy dug around in her purse looking and locating her lip gloss, then applied some to her lips. Willow washed her hands sneaking side glances at the girl next to her.



Tossing the cosmetic back in her bag Buffy turned towards the girl. “Just say what’s on your mind!”



Willow came to stand a few feet from her as she dried her hands. “I hate it.”



Buffy arched a brow. “Hate what? Not following you here.”



“The hair. I think it’s stupid. I don’t see why you had to change it. Brown was your color.” She paused and crossed her arms over her chest. “Sometimes I don’t think I even know you anymore.”



“Oh, and here I thought I needed to discuss what I do with my hair with someone who doesn’t even speak to me anymore. How silly of me.” She bent down to pick up her backpack. “Guess what Willow? I pretty much don’t care what you think. You lost that privilege when you stopped talking to me.”



The girl’s face turned almost the same shade of red as her hair. “No, Buffy! You were the one who dropped me like a bad habit, so don’t you dare try to turn this around on me.” Willow pushed past Buffy and opened the bathroom door. “I… you can be a real bitch, you know that?” And with that she left.


*****


Buffy sat in English a small pout on her lips.


“What’s wrong?”


Pout turning into a frown Buffy looked beside her. “Nothing, just leave me alone, please.”



Jesse frowned. “No need to bite my head off. I was just asking if you were okay.”



Buffy sighed. “I said please, didn’t I? God, what more do you want?”



With a roll of the eyes Jesse turned back to his book. See if he ever asked her what was bothering her ever again.



She couldn’t focus, all the words seemed to run together making no sense to her at all. Buffy felt bad for snapping at Jesse, but she really wasn’t in the mood. Not after the “episode” in the bathroom. Of all the nerve, Willow was completely out of line. It made Buffy wig, she so was not a bitch. It was as if she set out to actually hurt her, or Jesse. Since she kinda guessed she hurt him too, after cutting all communication with him as well. Yup, they went way back as friends too. But their friendship was sacrificed too, so that Buffy could find herself. With another frown she decided to tune out all negative thoughts, she needed to focus on this party. What was she going to wear, since she knew she had absolutely nothing party worthy. Why did she let Faith talk her into going? Oh, right, William Pratt.




That didn’t make her a bitch. It made her a person exploring her surroundings, becoming independent… and taking up new friends. “Fine, I can see how she could think that I’m a bitch. But I’m not. I’m just trying to find out who I really am. If that makes any sense at all. I needed space and they just couldn’t give it to me.”



*****


Hank was sitting behind his desk going over some papers. Taking over the family business really wasn’t something he wanted to do, but once his father took ill, the responsibility landed at his feet. He grumbled, the numbers just weren’t adding up. Setting the pages aside he reached once more for his calculator.


Buffy watched him through the half open door. She really hated to bother him, but then again, she really wanted to attend that party. She gazed at the sliding door in front of her. Once work for her father started picking up and the insurance company started to gain popularity, instead of him spending most nights late at work they decided to convert the dinning room into his home office. Taking a deep breath she tapped on the door.


“Come in.” He called out, not bothering looking up from his work.



Buffy walked in and stood in front of the desk. She was nervous and it showed with the nervous fidget of her fingers and the nibbling of her bottom lip.



“How can I help you, Buffy?”



Buffy opened her mouth, but nothing came out. Pausing she cleared her throat. “Umm, well you know this is my sophomore year and all.”



Hank put his work aside and leaned back in his chair, a bemused smile slipping over his face. “Yes, sweetheart, I know. But what does this have to do with you standing in my office?”



Buffy shot her dad a playful glare before continuing. “Well, there’s this house… a friend’s house, I mean. And she’s having a few girlfriends over and I was invited. Can I go please? I know it’s a school night, but it’s just a bunch of girls, no biggie. I promise to be home before eleven.”




Hank raised his eyebrows. “Did you run this past your mother?”



Buffy pouted. “No, I already knew what she’d say; therefore I cut out the middle man and came straight to you.” She could feel her hope fading fast. Everything was always left up to her mom. It sucked being a kid! But then her dad did something that she’d never expect.



“You can go. Make sure your homework is done before you leave. And you have to be back by eleven.”



Buffy almost screamed with delight, before running over to her dad and giving him a fierce hug, before bounding out of the room to call Faith and let her know that she could come to the party.



*****


She felt ridiculous and she couldn’t find Faith or Xander anywhere. They all arrived together, but soon as they entered the house, Faith headed over to the makeshift bar in the kitchen with Xander, following her like a lap dog. Buffy was starting to suspect that the boy had a serious crush on the girl. So that left Buffy standing alone and feeling very naked. She nervously pulled at the hem of her denim dress. It wasn’t too short; just sitting right above her knee, but still. She was so going to kill Faith.



Buffy walked further into the room trying to locate her friends, but instead of finding them she noticed a few of the guys checking her out, causing a slight blush to spread across her cheeks. Okay, that was new. She was quite sure she’s never been checked out by a boy before, and at last count five teens had looked her up and down. It wasn’t as if she weren’t pretty, the fact was she never dressed in a way for boys to notice her. If a guy wasn’t attracted to her because of her mind but because of her body, then she just wasn’t interested. It was there loss.



Buffy rolled her eyes then pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. Why did she let Faith talk her into wearing this dress? Though, she had to admit, it was the only decent dress in the girl’s closet. Just as she was about to turn around and run for the door an arm slipped around her waist. “Hey, girl! Where ya going?”




Buffy sighed, before slipping out of the loose embraced to turn around and glare at Faith. “Just where have you been?” She demanded, hands firmly on her hips. Faith only smirked before taking another sip of her drink.



“I was getting liquored up.” She thrust the cup out in front of her. “Want some.”



Buffy wrinkled up her nose. “Maybe next time. Promise you won’t leave me again?”



Faith snorted. “Seen some guys checking you out? Told you! You look hot! Guys like that, really. But I promise. I will not leave little ol’ Buff alone tonight.” Swaying a bit the brunette took the blonde by the hand and the two started walking back towards the kitchen.



“Where are we going?” Buffy asked as they brushed past a few boys. Buffy squeaked as one pinched her ass.



“Hey, there will be no pinching of her ass. If you must pinch, here goes mine!” Faith called out over her shoulder wiggling her bum in their general direction. “We’re going to get Xander. I left him back here with the food,” she added as they entered the kitchen.



Xander looked up from a handful of cheese puff. “That dress does look better on you Buffy.” He greeted.



“Yeah, so I’ve been told,” she sarcastically replied trying to let go of Faith’s death grip on her hand.



The other girl pulled her to the door on the opposite side of the kitchen. From what she could tell it lead to a darkened hallway.



“Where are we going now?”



“No where. But you need to fix your hair. The bathroom is right through that door.” Faith pointed then opened said door before pushing Buffy inside. She hadn’t the chance to protest as the door was pulled closed behind her. She stood there staring at the closed barrier and frowned. Buffy was certain that this was not a bathroom, for starters it was too big for a place to pee. Second, there was a T.V. playing somewhere behind her. And three, it was dark, the only light was the shadows from the television dancing along the walks.


Buffy reached for the doorknob, and turned, but it wouldn’t budge. She could hear Faith on the other side giggling like a mad woman and Xander telling her to quit it. She kicked the door out of frustration then turned around and sighed. “Just great,” she mumbled.



“Oi, keep it down. Tryin’ to watch the game.”



Her eyes widened comically and she had to slap a hand over her mouth to stop the “epp” that wanted to escape. Faith had known! And she tossed her in here like… well, she hadn’t a clue what to compare herself to. Taking a deep breath she walked deeper into the room and towards the television and to Spike.


“Oh. My. God. I’m gonna kill her! Okay, deep, calm, soothing breaths. You can do this. He’s only a boy. Yeah, right. Your mouth goes dry, your palms start to sweat and, you loose all motor function. Just a boy! This is Spike. Girls are willing to give up an arm to be in the same room as him.”



By the time she’d finished her small pep talk she was standing beside him. Spike was lounging in one of the Lazy Boy chairs, one leg cross over the other as he stared intently at the screen.



Buffy followed his gaze to the T.V. “What are you watching?” ‘See, that wasn’t so hard. You actually spoke to him.’



“Football,” he replied not looking away from the game.



Buffy looked back at the screen. She didn’t see any football. It wasn’t as if she was very knowledgeable in sports, but, she was pretty sure she knew what a football looked like when she was present with one. And that, was no football, it was a soccer ball.



“I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s a soccer game not football.”



This time he did look up at her, regarding her with a raised brow. “No, not watching that rubbish you Yanks call football. This,” he said pointing at the screen. “is the real thing. Shut up and sit down.”



It wasn’t as if she had any other place to go, since Faith was holding her hostage, so Buffy sat down… and stared directly at the T.V. They sat in silence as the game unfolded. She was completely lost but wouldn’t ruin the moment for anything. She was sitting in a dark room with Spike. (Yay!) Maybe instead of killing Faith she’d buy her a thank you gift. Then the worst thing that could happen did, the game cut to a commercial.



Buffy sat there fidgeting with her fingers as Spike drummed his fingers off his thigh. Finally he turned to her. “You’re that smart bird in my English class? Bunny, right?”



That caused a small smile to touch her lips. “No, I’m not a rabbit. It’s Buffy. My name I mean.”




“Buffy. Guess it’s better than Bunny. But it still makes you sound like a stripper.”




This time Buffy laughed. “Oh, yeah, and Spike so isn’t a porn stars name.” Her eyes grew wide once more. “I didn’t just say that? Did I? I didn’t… I mean… So shutting up now.”




Spike chuckled removing his fags from his duster’s pocket. The chit was alright. He was about to say something else when the door opened and in walked a tall bearish looking boy. Liam (Angel) Davenport. Buffy couldn’t stand him. And if there was one draw back in fawning over Spike, it would be Angel. He was a self absorbed, pompous ass, who thought he was all that because he was born in Ireland. Like that made him so special. He didn’t even have an accent.



“Let’s roll. This party blows,” he said from the doorway, motioning for his friend to join him. Spike rose from his chair gave a final glance at Buffy, then left.


*****

A/N: So, are you guys still with me? Do you want more? Let me know. Drop me a review! Anyone good at making banners and want to make on for this fic? Let me know.
Chapter Three: Feelin' Way Too Damn Good by GoldenBuffy
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! If you can keep it coming, it feeds the Muse, and he loves it! Title taken from Nickelback. I was listening to this song, and wanted to share. So if you wanna listen while you read, pleas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYRRn5xqFUU
*****

Chapter Three: Feelin’ Way Too Damn Good



“I still can’t believe it!” Buffy huffed over dramatically as she fell back on her bed, frowning up at the ceiling.



Faith batted her eyes at her demurely. “Can’t believe what?”



Buffy rolled over on her stomach then glared at the brunette. “YOU! What you did. You so know what you did!”



That only caused Faith to smirk. “I don’t see what the deal is.” She said rising to her feet, then joining Buffy, stretching out across the bed. “I got you some alone time with your wanna be honey. I say my work here is done.”




Sighing, Buffy flopped back down upon her bed. “You just don’t get it, do you? I completely embarrassed myself in there. Spike, that’s a porn star’s name. Like he didn’t already know that. And to make matters worse, my name will be forever associated with a stripper.”




“Again, I say, my work here is done.” With that she rolled off the bed and crawled over to Xander to lay her head in his lap.




Buffy turned her attention to him as well. “Do you not see the logic in her statement?”




Xander was busy playing with Faith’s hair. He paused, giving do credit and, thought to the question before answering. “Sorry, Buffy, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and vote Faith.” He held his hand up in the air halting any retort that she was about to give. “Just hear me out. You wanted Spike to remember your name, right? Well, he does. And isn’t that the whole point?”



“How are you so sure about that?” she asked, skepticism lacing her voice.



“I’m a guy. Trust me on this.”



As much as it pained her to admit it, Buffy knew that Xander was right. The whole reason Faith locked her in that room was so Spike had no other option but to notice her. She should have been happy. Why wasn’t she happy?



“Do I really want to be known as that girl with the stripper’s name? Hey, look every body, It’s Buffy Summers, future stripper. Is that how I want Spike to see me? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m sure my mom had no intention when she named me that she’d be setting me up for future failure.



I’m so torn. On one hand, I should be flattered that he even noticed me, knows that I’m even in his class. And he almost got my name right.



But, on the other hand, if I have this preconceived idea of who I am, or who I will turn out to be, how can I ever expect him to want to get to know the real me, and not the me who is destined to become a stripper?”





“Ouch!” Buffy frowned, rubbing her head. She had just been attacked by a flying Mr. Gordo.



“You got that look.” Faith supplied as an answer.



“And what look would that be?” Buffy snapped. She was in the middle of a huge mental debate and Faith had interrupted her.



“You know, that one which clearly says that you’re totally over analyzing something. Spike doesn’t think you’re a stripper. So stop worrying about it.”




Buffy threw the stuffed pig back at her friend, hitting her square in the face.



*****


Angel leaned against the locker, tossing his football up and down in his one hand, as he’s eye tracked a couple of cheerleaders walking past them. The girls giggled as Angel leered at them. His eyes moved past them to land on the trio walking towards him and Spike. With an evil smile he lightly hit Spike in the back.



“Hey, who was that cute little blonde you were talking to last night?”



Spike frowned as he continued to dig around in his way to messy locker. ‘Which blonde?’ was more like it. They had had a busy night, and Spike’s brain was still processing the events.



Closing the locker’s door he turned around to see where his friend was looking. Oh, right, he remembered her. She was the cutie who sat with him watching the telly.



“That’s… what’s her name? Sounds like a stripper.”



Angel arched his brow, examining her more closely. “She’s a stripper?” He questioned, voice rising with surprise.



“No, you git! I said, her name sounds like one. Think all that gel has finally gone and ate you brain.”



“Well?” Angel asked irritably.



“Well what?” Spike shot back.



“The name. What’s her freakin’ name? Sheesh, and you talk about my brain.”



Spike rolled his eyes. “It’s Buffy.”



“Buffy. You don’t say?” He could see that all too familiar wolfish grin start to spread across Angel’s face.




“Don’t you even think about it, mate.”



“Think about what? I wasn’t…” Angel’s eyes widened suddenly. “You like her, don’t you?”



Spike snorted. “Haven’t made up my mind yet. Point is, you keep your nose away from her. Got it?”



The brunette only smirked in reply. “You know, she is friends with Faith.”



Spike could feel the scowl starting to form on his face. “Yeah, so?”



“Well isn’t it obvious? She shouldn’t be so hard to sleep with. I mean, come one. If you can fuck Faith in one night, anyone who hangs out with her should be as easy.”



The words hung between them as Faith, Xander and, Buffy walked passed them. Spike could see the deep shade of pink that colored her skin, which caused him to smile a bit. Remembered how she had reacted the other day in class when he decided to mess with her. Then that whelp leaned over and whispered something in her ear, causing her to giggle.



He turned back to his friend. “Don’t think she’s into slutting it up, Peaches.”



Angel growled, her really hated that name.



*****


“Don’t look now, but it looks like Spike and Angel are discussing you!” Faith explained, glancing in their direction.



Using all the self restraint she could muster Buffy adverted her eyes. “They are? How do you know that?”



“Well, for one, they’re boys, and they’re gonna talk about girls. Two, Angel has his eyes trained on you.”



The blonde felt a shiver of disgust run through her. Ewww! Tall, dark, and foreheadsome was checking her out. Not of the good!



They continued down the hall, each step brining them closer and closer to Spike. Buffy tried to play it cool. But what if he said “hi” or something? What if he expected her to say something to him? No, worse! What if he wanted he to say something to him?



That’s when she chanced a glance and was pleasantly surprised to fine him starring at her. Buffy breathed a sigh of relief that she wasn’t caught starring at him. She could feel the blush blossom over he cheeks, as she ducked her head. That’s when Xander leaned over and whispered in her ear, causing her to laugh.


*****


The halls were deserted as Faith marched down them. There was no way she was sitting through a 45 minute Biology class. She knew all she needed to know about “biology,” why waste her time learning about it when she could be involved in some right now. The door to the boys bathroom opened, and Faith smiled. Just the person she was looking for.



She walked towards him as he stopped at one of the fountains. Turning around he looked her up and down.



“What’d you want?” he questioned but started down the hallway not waiting for her reply. Faith hurried to catch up with him.


“I got this problem and I figured you could fix it.”



“Yeah, why’s that?”


She hurried and ran in front of him, cutting off his line of retreat. Putting on one of her most seductive smiles Faith gave him a once over. “Well, since you are a man of many talents I figured you be the best person to go to.”



Spike really didn’t have time for this. He needed to get to class. But she had his curiosity piqued.



*****


Mrs. Carter stood in front of the class scribbling something onto the chalk board. Buffy would kill to be any other place than Biology right now. And where in the world was Faith? Man, she hated when she ditched class and didn’t tell her. She should so act as if she needed to pee just to get into the bathroom and, hang with Xander and the persistent cutter of classes.



“Are you ready for this?” Buffy shook her head then looked at her lab partner, Jesse.



“What?”



“Didn’t you read he board? Today we’re dissecting baby pigs.” His voice held and edge of excitement.



She regarded him as if it were the first time she’d ever laid eyes on him in her life. Then it dawned on her, he and Xander would be perfect as best friends. Buffy wondered why they never met. “Ewww! Gross much?”



She so wanted to pout. This was completely unfair. Why did they even have to dissect anything? It wasn’t like she was going to become a pathologist or anything. She wanted to watch CSI, not be on it.” ‘Wait, did that even make sense? Oh, yeah, it does because of Doc. Robins. He’s a pathologist but is on the show.’



Buffy watched as Mrs. Carter pushed the cart around passing out the pigs. Her eyes went to Willow who was a table behind them. Willow rolled her eyes at Buffy in irritation. She surmised that the girl over heard her conversation with Jesse. All too soon the corpse was in front of her waiting to be cut open. God, she really hated biology.



Thirty minutes into the dissection and the teacher announced that their extra credit assignments were due on Monday. Buffy rolled her eyes. She was up to her elbows in pig guts and now she had to worry about that stupid assignment. Blech!




“Don’t worry about it. I have everything basically done. Just need to finish it up over the weekend.”



Sometimes Jesses was a Godsend. “Oh, yeah, I forgot. What would a girl ever do without you?” She said, giving him one of her brightest smiles.


“Before you get too happy. The only draw back is, well, you really haven’t helped me at all. And it would feel like cheating if I slapped your name on it and you didn’t do anything.”



Buffy’s smile turned into a frown. “Fine, I’ll come over tonight and help. How’s that?”



Jesse couldn’t keep the smile off his face. “That’ll be great. Nine. Be there at nine.”




“Pist! Buffy! Buffy!” The blonde turned to the door. There stood Faith and Xander was perched at her side. They were like Lone Ranger and his sidekick, Tonto.



Buffy mouthed the words “what?” Faith frantically waved for her to join them. With a sigh - though she was secretly happy they came to save her – she pulled off her gloves, tossed them on the table, grabbed her backpack and ran out of the class.



Willow was going to call out to Mrs. Carter as Buffy headed out the door but decided against it. It would be time to clean up soon and without the blonde finishing up her report she would get in trouble.


*****


“You did what?” Why did Faith’s actions never cease to amaze her?



The other girl stood in the mirror smirking. Damn, she was good. “You heard me. I got Spike to get you a fake identification card.”



“But, why? What do I need one for? And when is he getting it for me?”



“You never know. We might need them one night. And since me and Xander are already covered that leaves you unprotected.” She combed her fingers through her hair. “And he’s dropping by your place tonight, to give it to you.”



“Oh, my, God. You told him where I live!?” All Buffy could do was stare between the two kids. The door opened and two other girls walked between the three teens to use the stalls. “And anyway I have plans. Have to do this stupid report thingy for bio.”



“But you’ll be home right?”



“No, I have to go over Jesse’s and do the stupid thing.”



“Well that works out perfectly. You can be all double agent Summer, working with your lab partner, but really waiting for your secret rendezvous with Spike.” Xander added. He was all for getting Buffy with Spike. ‘Cause if he heard her fawning over the kid on more time he was going to scream.



“Yeah, I guess that could work. I’ll be over there at nine. So I guess you can tell Spike to come over too.” God, she couldn’t believe she was agreeing to this.



*****


“I don’t know why you do so much stuff for her.” The voice said behind Jesse. He paused and turned around.



“Do what for who?”



Willow narrowed her eyes and walked towards him. “Don’t play dumb, you know who. She’s only using you. And you’re not doing anything to stop her.”



Jesse sighed. “She’s not using me. She’s just going through a difficult time and like a good friend, I’m helping her.”



“She’s not our friend anymore, Jess. The sooner you realize that the better off you’ll be. And not to be the bearer of bad news, but she’ll never like you like that.”



With that Willow walked away.



*****


“I thought she was going over Jesse’s?” Hank asked looking up the stairs.



Joyce smiled. “She is. She’s been in her room for the past hour trying on different outfits. I think she has a crush on him and trying to look her best.”



Hank had to chuckle, his daughter and one of her oldest friends. “You think? When did all this happen?”



“I have no idea. But I checked in on her a while ago and she looked so nervous and sweet.”



Just then Buffy came down the steps, her little sister, Dawn right behind her. “Someone please, help me. This strange creature has attached itself to my shadow and won’t leave me alone.”



“She won’t tell me where she’s going and why she smells like she’s bathed in perfume,” the twelve year old pouted.



Hank came over to scoop the younger Summers up in his arms. “She’s going on a study date across the street.”



Buffy’s eyes widened in shock. “It’s not a date, Dad. We’re finishing up some assignment for biology. That’s all.”



“Make sure you’re home by eleven.” Joyce called out as her daughter headed out the door.



“Does Buffy like Jesse? Is that why she bathed in funky perfume?” Dawn asked leaning over her father’s shoulder.



*****


The two sat at the kitchen table. Buffy tapped her pencil off her notebook as she looked around. Jesse’s house hadn’t changed one bit since the last time she’d been in there. Which had been a long time. The last time she had been over was two summers ago, for a pool party. She ended up getting her period in the pool, which promptly ended anymore visits to his house. It was way to embarrassing.



The silence seemed to drone on forever. Were things always this tense between them? Buffy wasn’t sure. Just then the doorbell rang. “Oh, I completely forgot. Faith and Xander are stopping by. They have something for me.”



Jesse frowned. “They’re coming here?” The doorbell rang again.



“Change that to coming here now.” Buffy corrected.



He looked through the window gracing the front door and rolled his eyes. Sure enough, there they were. With a sigh he opened it and let them in. So long to a night alone with Buffy.



Faith entered first. She dropped her shoulder bag on the ground then whistled as she looked around. “Nice place. What do your parents do?”



“They’re both lawyers.”



“Sweet. So, B, ya nervous?” Faith questioned, eyeing the girl’s outfit.



Brows wrinkled Jesse looked between them in confusion. “Nervous about what?”



Buffy shrugged. “Nothing. Let’s finish this assignment so I can get home.”



Time seemed to have stood still; it had only been twenty minutes, but that seemed like an eternity. When would Spike get there? Was he still coming? Would he be able to get her the id? Out of nowhere a car horn honked.



Faith jumped up. “Oh, that’s my cousin, Orlando. Be right back.”


*****


“Where is she?” He asked, casually leaning against his car.


Faith thought he looked hot. Too bad he was one of the very few boys she couldn’t get to have sex with her. Hell, she tried everything, but nothing worked. Stupid male-slut. They would have been good together. Even if it where only for an hour or so.



“She’ll be out. She’s drinking. So did you get it?”



“No, I drove over here just for my health. Yeah, I got it you daft bint.” Spike snapped.



“No need to get all defensive was just making sure. I’ll go send her out.” Faith turned around to head back into the house.



“Faith.” Spike waited for her to turn around. “Angel said to call him.”



She nodded then dashed back inside.


*****


“Buffy, my cousin wants a word with you,” she called from the living room.



Buffy decided that she couldn’t do it. She couldn’t go out there and face him. This was different, this wasn’t school. She was off familiar turf with him. In school she could deal but out here, in the real world. Oh, God. To bad she didn’t notice when she stood up, or when she started walking, because now she stood before Faith.



“He’s all out there waiting for ya.”



“Oh, God.” Buffy whimpered. Faith laughed.



The door opened and Buffy was pushed out. She stood on the porch starring at the bleached blond. He definitely was a salty piece of goodness. Just standing there without a care in the world, a cigarette hanging between his lips and his hands were stuffed in his denim jeans pockets. He wasn’t wearing his leather coat, and Buffy thought she’d drown in her on drool. She could make out that well defined chest in the tight black T-shirt he wore. And his arms, oh, his arms. Is it wrong to want to lick someone arms? She made a mental note to ask Faith later.



“Get a move on, B!” Faith hissed behind her before shutting the door. Taking a deep breath she started down the steps.



She walked coming to stand only a few feet in front of him. That’s when he finally noticed her, pinning her with his bluer than blue eyes. He took in her appearance. She was wearing a simple white tank top and a pair of low rider jeans. Faith had taken the denim jacket that she’d worn and hid it. Saying the top accented her boobs. Obviously she must have been telling the truth since his gaze lingered there a bit longer than she would have liked. He tossed the cigarette butt on the ground.



“Hi,” she said, a hint of nerves coloring her voice.



“You wanted the card, right?” Spike waited for her nod then stepped aside and opened the car door.



Buffy’s stomach jumped with nervousness. He wanted her to get in his car!



Taking another deep breath she slipped into the vehicle and, held her breath as he closed the door. A few seconds later he was sitting beside her. Talk about deja vu, here they were, in a dark place and, not talking. Wow, the chemistry was unmistakable.



Spike found himself wondering why he found it so hard to strike up a conversation with this one. Normally he had no problem chatting up girls. But this one perplexed him. Then again, he was used to socializing with cheerleaders and the likes. Buffy clearly wasn’t a cheerleader, she had brains.



“So…”



“So…”




“Oh, umm, did you get to finish that game you were watching?” Buffy asked, nervously chewing on her lip.



“Nah, but saw the highlights online.”



“That’s cool.” ‘That’s cool? That’s cool? Is that you could come up with? God, can you be even more of a spaz?’



“You want the card or not?” Spike could see that she was desperately trying not to fidget with her hands. Why was she so nervous?



“Yeah, okay. It’s what I came out here for.” God, she was sounding more and more like a loser with each passing second.



He leaned towards her, panic began to set in before she realized that he was reaching for the glove compartment. Opening the door he pulled out a plastic card, sat back up, and then handed it to her. Buffy took it, straining to see it clearly in the dim light. There was her year book picture from last year. She checked out the age, which said she was twenty one, and a quick check to make sure her name was spilled right, and that she wasn’t named after a rabbit.



“Everything to your liking.”




“Yup! Though I’m sure I’ll never pass for a twenty one year old,” she said with a small smile.



“Nah. Little make-up and different cloths, you could.”



She looked up from the card then. He was starring at her, seemed to be starring right through her with those eyes. They were the pretties blue she’d ever seen. She could get lost in them for like ever. Matter of fact, Buffy was quite sure that she was drowning already.



“You think?” The question came out in a breathy whisper. Just where did that voice come from, she wondered.



“Yeah.” He replied. This was his first time getting a really good look at Buffy. And Spike concluded that he liked what he saw. The deep pink flush had started to taint her skin, but this time she seemed to be oblivious to its presence. Her hazel orbs seemed to be luminescent in the dark, and her golden locks glowed from the distant street light.



Everything stopped, the only two people on the plant at that moment was sitting in a Desoto on Revello Drive. Buffy was vaguely aware that her skin felt warm, signaling that she was blushing. All that she cared about was the look Spike was giving her now. The look. The look she dreamed he would give her some day. She could so melt into a puddle of Buffy goo, but it would ruin the moment. Then she noticed it, he was moving closer towards her. But not fast like before, slow this time. Was he? No, he was, wasn’t he?


“I have only been kissed twice in my life, okay three times if you count that one under the willow tree in Jesse’s backyard. He barely brushed his lips against mine in the sixth grade.


Then there was that one time away at summer camp. I met this boy name Arnold. We were like ten, and we shared an awkward kiss on the final day of camp. Later I found out it was a bet, and he won five dollars for kissing me.


Then there was the salty piece of goodness at the beach. We had gone to Myrle Beach for a family vacation last year. I was playing in the shallow end with Dawn when this wave came out of nowhere. Bam, I was under the water. Next thing I know I was getting mouth to mouth by Shane. But can that count as a kiss since I was out of it?”





Buffy was pulled out of her mussing by the light touch of Spike’s lips on hers. Her eyes fluttered shut on, and as badly as she wanted to open them so that she could engrave this moment in her mind forever, they wouldn’t comply. This so was not happening! But it was. She was kissing Spike. It was soft and gentle. It wasn’t all cheesy like those romance books describe. And it wasn’t awkward either like her previous experiences had taught her. Buffy sighed. Spike took full advantage and slipped his tongue inside. It was like instinct, or as if her tongue had a mind of its own, but it joined his in a brief dance. The kiss was over far too quickly for her liking. They slowly pulled away, Buffy’s lips felt all tingly.



Just what did one say after kissing?



“I don’t have the thirty dollars on me.”




“No worries. Give it to me when you can.” He was still starring at her. Buffy’s blush deepened.



“Well, I better head back inside. I have to do… stuff.”



“Later.” Spike watched her close the door, a smirk slowly spreading across his face.



Buffy got out of the car and closed the door. She took a deep breath before attempting to walk; her legs were way to shaky to try with out the added burst of oxygen. How could he sit there as if nothing had happened? But it wasn’t as if she made things any better. “I don’t have the money on me”. Geez, why not make it even more clear that you don’t want his kisses, NOT.”



Jesse stood in the window wanting to see this “cousin” of Faith’s. He was completely surprised to find William Pratt on his curb and, even more surprised when Buffy got in the car with him. He couldn’t make out what was going on in the car because it was to dark. But what ever it was, it sure was taking a long time. Finally she exited the vehicle, then headed back for the house. Dejectedly, he moved from the window and went back to his “guests” in the kitchen.



*****

A/N: Well, what did you think? You still want more?
Chapter Four: Promiscuous? by GoldenBuffy
Author's Notes:
Again, I’m just blown away by the awesome reviews! Thanks, they mean a lot too me, and not to mention let’s me know what you think of the story. Hope you enjoy this chapter as well. Title from Nelly Furtado.
Disclaimer: All hail, Joss. King of the Angst-verse. Where none of our favorite couples will ever be truly happy.

*****

Chapter Four: Promiscuous?




She stood gazing into the mirror, searching, trying to see if anything about her hand changed. But nothing had. To the outside world Buffy was your typical fifteen year old Californian girl. No one knew what had happened Friday night in Spike’s black Desoto parked in front of Jesse’s house. No one knew that she had finally gotten her first official kiss, tongue and all.



Buffy turned her head left then right. Nope, she still looked the same except for the sappy grin that refused to leave her face. Or the feel of Spike’s oh so soft lips. She was certain that her own lips wouldn’t stop tingling anytime soon.



“Mom told me, to tell you, that you need to get your butt moving, if you don’t want to be late.” Dawn announced from the doorway. She scrunched up her nose. “And just what are you doing?”



Buffy rolled her eyes. She really hated annoying little sister’s who asked way too many questions. “Nothing! Now get away from my door!” Turning away from the mirror with one final look, Buffy began to put the finishing touches to her outfit and hair, before heading out the door. Today she definitely didn’t want to be late for school.



*****



“I see someone’s in a happy mood!” Faith greeted the blonde.



Buffy closed the door to her locker. “Am I that see through?”



“Yup! It’s written all over your face.” Faith admitted.



Buffy frowned. “Well, I don’t want to walk around looking like I’m having a stroke or something. But I can’t help it.” She explained, as her eyes scanned the hall for that particular flash of platinum amongst the mixture of students and faculty. Buffy sighed with disappointment not being able to spot Spike. She started walking down the hall. She would bump into him sooner or later.



The two girls walked in silence for a few moments before the blonde turned to the brunette.



“So, how did the rest of your evening go?”




Faith gave her a cheeky grin along with a wiggle of her brow. “Oh, it went quite well, actually. Nah, better than well. I had a blast!”



After leaving Buffy at Jesse’s house, and after convincing Xander that he could not talk her out of getting laid that night, she went over to Angel’s. “I would give you details, but I’m scared I might give you a heart attack.”



“Yes, please, keep the sexcapade between you and Angel. Honestly, how can you even sleep with him?” Buffy tired to imagine it but shivered with revolution. He was just so big and bulky, how could anyone find him attractive?



Faith tossed an arm over Buffy’s shoulder. “B, it’s hard to explain. Let’s just put it this way. Once you’ve popped, you can’t stop. And, Angel, has some pretty good popping skills.”


It took a moment for her words to sink in and for Buffy to catch her meaning. “Ewww! Faith! Once you pop. There will be no popping of me in the foreseeable future.”



That only caused Faith to snicker. “Yeah, well, keep going down the road you’re head with Blondie…” she let the sentence trail off. Buffy’s cheeks began to turn pink. Though she wasn’t sure if the blush was caused by Faith’s words, or from the images that her mind conjured up of her and Spike. Just the thought of them actually having sex was too much to think about.



*****


The day moved surprisingly fast and Buffy looked forward to her fourth period class, English, because she was certain that she’d see Spike there.




Now sitting in class a frown marred her face. Spike wasn’t here either. ‘Maybe he cut school today,’ she thought.



Jesse sat beside her. He had greeted her with a small wave and to his surprise, Buffy returned the gesture. But she refused to glance his way afterwards. He could see that her attention was focused on the classroom door. His face turned into a scowl. She was waiting for William.



Jesse refused to call him Spike. He felt that it was a stupid nickname, and anyone with at least half a brain wouldn’t take him seriously. Unfortunately, the whole student body was idiots, and from the looks of it, Buffy had fallen into the majority too.



Buffy starred at the text in her book, but she couldn’t focus on reading it. Her mind was elsewhere. Was Spike avoiding her? Was she that horrible of a kisser that he couldn’t even face her? God, she was such an idiot. And to think, she actually thought that she had a chance with him. She didn’t pay attention as the door swung open.



“Thank you, Mr. Pratt for gracing my classroom with you genius.” Mr. Henderson sarcastically commented without looking up from his book.



Spike sat at his desk, sparring a glance Buffy’s way. At that moment she was starring at him as well. He gave her a quick smile. Buffy paused before smiling back. The exchange didn’t go unnoticed by the boy sitting to her right. He couldn’t begin to understand what Buffy saw in Spike. He would just have to show her what kind of guy Spike really was.



“Okay, he smiled at me. That’s a good sign. Right? It means something. He’s not ignoring me.”



Ten minutes remained of class so Buffy turned back to her reading, that’s when someone tapped her on the shoulder. It was Sharon, she sat directly behind her. Buffy arched a brow in silent question, the girl only responded by handing her a folded piece of paper. Buffy accepted it, then turned back around in her set.



That was strange. They had never exchanged words in their lives, but here she was passing a note to Buffy in class. She wasn’t sure if she should read it or not, instead, she turned the paper over and over in her hand. Some giggling to her left caught her attention, and Buffy turned to see what was so funny.



Amanda and Kathy sat whispering to each other then started laughing again. Normally, Buffy wouldn’t find this odd, but their eyes never left her as they chatted. Then Amanda gave Buffy a nasty smirk before finally looking away. Okay, that was even stranger than the note passing. That prompted Buffy into reading the note. She quickly unfolded it and began to read, realizing that she really wished that she hadn’t.



She couldn’t believe what she was reading. This had to a nightmare. But she knew that it wasn’t. Head snapping up, her eyes landed on Spike. She tried to get his attention but he was to faraway to hear her, and he was currently drawing in his English book. Plus she didn’t want Mr. Henderson jumping on her for disrupting his class.



Despite better judgment Buffy scanned the room and, that’s when she noticed a few more kids looking at her, some whispering, and others giggling. She turned back to the note, reading it once more. This had to be a mistake. Nope, it wasn’t. There it was scribbled across the sheet of notebook paper. Buffy apparently had had sex with Spike.



She balled the paper up and shoved it into her purse just as the bell rang. She snatched up her books and back pack and made a B-line for the door.



*****


“I’m never coming out!” Buffy whined through the closed door. Faith stood on the opposite side.



“It’s not that bad, Buffy.” Oh, but the blonde knew that it was bad. It was apocalyptic bad, that’s just how bad it was. It was all over school, it had spread like a brushfire in overly dry forest. All through lunch she had to deal with the stares, whispers, snide comments and the like.



“Come on, Buff, you gotta face this like a man… er… a girl. You can’t let this get you down.” Xander tried to cheer her up.



“No! My life is over! Don’t you get that?” She laid her head on the door. “Can’t I just go home and never come back… ever?”




“No. But what you can do is come out of there, and ride this wave of fifteen minutes of fame.”




That got her to open the door. “WHAT?!” She looked on, completely flabbergasted.



“Who cares if everyone thinks you did the nasty with Spike. At least it will get you out there; people will know your name. And besides,” Faith shrugged her shoulders. “kids lie about this shit all the time. It’s what we do.”



“Uh huh, so you lied about all the guys you’ve slept with?” Buffy asked, skeptically.




“No, I never lie when it comes to sex. I take full credited to all the boys I’ve done.” That caused Xander to roll his eyes.



The point is, I’m not every people. I don’t lie about those things. And why would someone say this about me?” She really hated to give voice to her fears, but it needed to be put out there. “Do… could… Did Spike do this?”



“Nah. He doesn’t have to lie about having sex. He gets it enough, and everyone knows it!” Faith said without batting an eyelash.



Buffy pouted. She hated the idea of Spike being with anyone but her, but she had to face the facts. She knew the facts, half of the girls who were giggling and whispering, and basically saying nasty things about her, were his previous “girl friends”. But she still found comfort in the fact that he wasn’t responsible for the rumor that was currently going around the school.




“Look, don’t worry about it. Me and Xander will run damage control.”



“Really?” Buffy asked, hope filling her voice.



“Yup!” Faith nodded.



“Good. And while we’re at it let’s put all those rumors about me being gay to a rest as well!” Xander added.



“Well, for starters you’re going to have to stopping hanging out in the girl’s bathroom.”



Xander’s face paled and he starred at Buffy as if she’d gone and grown two extra heads. “But it’s so much cleaner in here. And it doesn’t smell like pee.”



“Yeah, but,” Faith interjected, putting her arm around his shoulder. “if you ever want to get laid you’re going to have to start pissing in the boys room.”




Xander swallowed, and it so wasn’t because Faith’s had was currently on him, it was because he’d have to start using the male’s washroom. But if that was what needed to be done, then by God, that’s what he was willing to do. He refused to graduate a virgin.



*****


The tap on his shoulder caused him to turn around. Faith stood there her hands resting firmly on her hips and, a smirk graced her lips.



“What is it now?”



She just stood there and starred at him for a moment. Cocking her head to the side Faith looked him up and down. “You hear the rumor going around?”



Spike arched his brow. “Rumor? Need to be more specific, pet.”



“The one saying that you fucked my girl.” Faith watched his face for any reaction. There wasn’t any.



“Yeah, heard that one.” He wondered where this was headed.



“I’m not saying anything or pointing fingers. But you know, I was just wondering how something like that even got started.”



Oh, this was rich! “Don’t have a soddin’ clue. And before you go around running your yap…”



Faith smiled to herself. There goes the reaction she was looking for the whole clinching of the jaw and gritting of teeth. “Whoa, calm down, Blondie. I just wanted to make sure. For Buffy’s sake.”



Spike growled in frustration before pushing past her and stormed off down the hall. Faith stayed there and watched as he disappeared. She briefly entertained the idea that maybe he did like her friend. She could focus on that later, right now she had to find the punk who started all this shit, and beat their ass.


*****


Buffy walked the few blocks home alone. She was actually looking forward to getting in the house. She had it all planned out. She would lock herself in her room, and refuse to never come out until her parents said it was okay for her to be home schooled. She really didn’t see any objections to it. It was the “in” thing right now. All the celebrity kids were currently taught at home, so why couldn’t she be as well? And, hopefully, by the time graduation rolled around this whole fiasco would have blown over.



So caught up in her musings Buffy failed to notice the car pull up beside her. “Buffy!” She turned to look at the vehicle, was it talking to her? Taking a good look at the car for the first time she realized who it was. What did he want? Would he be mad at her? Did he think she started the rumor? The car stopped and the blond got out of it walking around to meet Buffy.



“Can we talk?” Spike asked, his eyes trained on her. Buffy sighed, nodding her head in agreement.



“Just wanted you to know that I didn’t say that… about you I mean.”



Buffy already knew he hadn’t, but hearing it coming from him made it all the more real. “I know, Spike. I never thought you did.”




He looked relieved at hearing her words and he smiled a bit, then his expression turned more serious. “Seems we have to fix this then, yeah? I know we haven’t hung out much, but since people have it in their heads that we’re “together” I think we should stop talking to each other.”




“What? No, you can’t. We haven’t really talked to even stop doing that.” Buffy nodded her head. “Yeah, that would be good, I guess.” Buffy laughed nervously.




“Right. So we’re okay then?” Spike asked, hesitantly.



Buffy forced a smile. “Yup, right as we ever were.” Internally she was a wreck, this so wasn’t fair.




With a final nod Spike returned to his car. Buffy stood there and watched as he pulled off and drove out of sight. Talk about a day from Hell. The sad part was the whole time that they were talking the only thing Buffy could think of was the taste of him; tobacco and mint. And now it looked as if she’d never get to taste Spike again.



*****

A/N: Well that was the chappie. What did you think? Any good? Let me know.
Chapter Five: Fell On Black Days by GoldenBuffy
Author's Notes:
You all are knocking me dead with all the awesome reviews! I know I’ve said it before, but I’m very please that you’re enjoying the story so far, and I hope you keep on enjoying it. Title taken from Soundgarden.

Read Please; Should have put this in sooner. But I'm doing it now, so thanks goes to Joan and MSCL fan for the prompting and the pointing out to me. It's been years since I've watched My So Called Life. It was an awesome show, I think it aired on ABC back in 1994? I know I was either in the 9th or 10th grade when it came on. But anywho, that's were I got the idea for this fic. If you do a google search, since everything is on google now, I'm pretty sure you can find out more on Wikipedia. They might even have the dvd's for sale now, not sure, though. So don't take my word for it. Last thing, if someone deos find the dvd's let me know. I'd love to buy them. lol
Chapter Five: Fell On Black Days




She wanted to scream. She wanted to yell. She wanted to beg her parents to let her stay home from school. But most of all, she wanted to cry against the injustice of it all. It so wasn’t fair that Buffy’s life currently sucked, and that the love of said life was now on a mission of avoiding her. Just when had her life become so filled with drama? Buffy frowned at the girl starring back at her from the mirror. With a heavy sigh she collected her backpack and headed out of her bedroom door. It was a new day, and hopefully her peers at school had moved on to some new gossip about someone or something other than herself.




*****


Xander slipped his arm around Buffy’s shoulder and pulled her into a small hug, which she gladly accepted. She needed all the support that she could get.



“It’ll get better, promise. You just need some time, that’s all,” he whispered into her ear.




Buffy only nodded as she buried her face into his shoulder. Time. That was something she didn’t have as her eyes landed on the reason for her sorrow.



“There he goes, walking as if this is a normal day of school. Hey, maybe for him it is a normal day of school. It’s not like it was his name beining dragged through the mud. No, that honor belongs to me. And he only offered the whole avoidance thing for my sake, I know that. But, still. *sigh*




It’s like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You know what’s going to happen, you can see it starting, but you just can’t look away.”





Buffy had moved from Xander’s embrace and stood starring at Spike. He made his way further down the hall and past them, Angel close on his heels. She found herself holding her breath, wondering if he’d say anything to her. She watched and waited. The two pasted them, but and her waiting was all for nothing. Spike didn’t even spare her a glance. Buffy exhaled, her shoulders slumping in defeat. Today was going to be a very long day.




*****


Joyce pushed open the door, her laundry basket firmly under her arm, as she walked into Buffy’s room. She knew that her daughter would kill her, but it was wash day and, Buffy had obviously forgotten to give her mother her dirty clothes.




She headed over to the small dirty hamper next to the vanity, and began sorting through the garments. Once done there she began to move around the room collecting items from off the floor. She came to a halt at a small pile of purses. Joyce shook her head, the way her daughter treated her things sometimes amazed her. She scooped the four bags up in her arms and carried them over to the closet. She began hanging them on a hanger when one purse fell out of her grasp and landed on the floor. Bending down she snatched it back up, noticing as she did a piece of balled up paper fell out.



She stood, looking at the rumpled sheet. She was torn, should she just pick it up and throw it away, or should she see if it was something important to Buffy. Maybe it was some misplaced homework or something. Deciding quickly, Joyce picked it up and began to read. It didn’t contain much, but what it said made her and gasp in surprised horror. She folded it back up and placed it in her pants pocket.



*****


“How do you even know that?” The blonde questioned.



“It’s not just a rumor. I know the person who saw them.” Willow responded as she brushed her hair.



Tara looked around the bathroom, making sure that they were alone. “Well?”



“He said he saw them with his own eyes. And since I’ve known him for like, forever, I’m all for the trusting on his part.”



Buffy was ready to flush the toilet and come out of the stall when she heard Willow’s voice along with another girl. But what made her pause was the rumor they were discussing. Willow obviously knew more than she was letting on, and maybe she could finally get to the bottom of this mystery and find out who was lying about her.



“Are you going to tell me who this trustworthy person is or not?” Tara asked impatiently.



“It was Jesse. He told me that last Friday night Buffy came over his house to study,” She made quotation marks with her fingers on the word study as she said it. Buffy had to place and hand over her mouth to stop the gasp of outrage and disbelieve that she was feeling from breaking through. “and her friends, Faith and Xander, were there as well. That’s when Spike showed up, and she runs out of the house. And get this, she gets in his car and then Jesse said about ten minutes later the windows were all foggy, and when she finally got out of the car her clothes were all messed up and everything.”



“Oh, my, God! That’s just, so, well, not Buffy. Well, not from what you’ve told me.” She quickly amended.




Willow frowned at that. “Yeah, I know. But that was the old Buffy. This is the new Buffy, and obviously her handing around with a tramp like Faith has rubbed off big time. I mean, I wonder who else she’s going to end up bonking.”



Both girls started laughing as they walked out of the bathroom.




Buffy slowly emerged from the bathroom stall, fighting the tears in her eyes. How could he? She thought they were friends, or at least they used to be friends. Resolve face firmly in place Buffy marched out of the bathroom. A moment later she returned, she forgot to wash her hands.



*****


She was on a mission. Who cared if she was venturing into forbidden territory, this was of the utmost importance. Plus, she so had to chew Jesse out! She descended the steps two at a time; reaching the bottom floor she made a left, entering the boy’s lock room entrance. If she hadn’t been focused on one thing and one thing only, Buffy would have taken note to the half naked boys getting changed for gym class. But she was oblivious to all this, the mantra playing over and over in her head; ‘Find Jesse and kill him!’




He had just finished pulling up his shorts and was bent over lacing up his tennis shoes. That’s when he noticed that he wasn’t alone. Jesse stood up coming face to face with a very pissed off Buffy Summers. She stood there hand firmly on her hips, lips in a tight frown, and her hazel eyes burning with anger. Jesse swallowed. He’d never seen her this pissed off in his whole life.




“Oh, you so better be scared. Hell, I’d be scared if I were you.” Buffy growled out. He was surprised at that. Jesse never knew one could growl a whole sentence.



“Bu… Buffy, you can’t be in here. Why are you here?” He questioned as he slowly began to back away from her.



“Don’t you dare play dumb with me, Jesse! You know why I’m here!” She began to follow his retreating form.



“I can explain. Really.”




She looked surprised at that. “Oh, you can explain? You can explain? Well, make with the explaining then!” Buffy paused. “No, there will be no explanations because there isn’t any. What you did. How could you do that?” The steam ran out of her sails as she dejectedly sat down on one of the benches.




Jesse sighed, but stayed where he was. “I was angry, okay.”



Buffy’s eyes snapped up to meet his. “Angry? What… why? What for?”



His eyes grew dark with irritation. “How can’t I? You used me, Buffy. I was nothing but a pawn in your little chess game. You had no intention of helping me. You used my house as a cover so that you could meet up with Spike!”




“And that… what? Gave you the green light to go and make up a vicious lie about me?” Buffy stood up and moved further away from him, wrapping her arms around her waist.



“I, I just wanted to make you feel something of what I felt. I wanted you to see that he’s only using you.”




She released a humorless laugh. “Well, I hope you’re happy now. I hate you. Don’t you ever speak to me again!”



With that said she left.



Jesse hung his head in shame.



*****



Shelia Rosenberg sat across the table from her long time friend and smiled. “Joyce, honey, I don’t think there’s much you can do.”




Joyce narrowed her eyes then sighed. “I know. But things seem to be happening so fast. One moment they’re babies and the next, well.” She reached over pulling the crumpled note back towards her.



“You don’t really know if it’s true or not. It just something scribbled onto a sheet of paper.” Shelia took a sip of her coffee.




“Well, what do you propose? Oh, I know. I’ll just strike up a conversation with Buffy and work in the fact that I know she’s having sex.”




“This wouldn’t be so hard if our girls were still speaking to each other. I would be able to weasel the information out of Willow.” That caused Joyce to smile.




“Please, tell me this isn’t happening.” Joyce pleaded before taking a sip of her coffee.



“She’s a teen and she has hormones. And don’t act like you weren’t doing the same thing.”



“See, that’s my point. I don’t want her to be doing what we were doing at her age.” The two started to laugh.



“Let’s face it. The only way we can prevent them from growing up is by locking them away in a remote tower someplace. And, then, we’re still not promised anything.”



Joyce only nodded her agreement. Just when did Buffy grow up so fast?



*****


“No, Faith, I don’t need you to go and kick his ass. I already spoke with him. He knows that I know, and that’s the whole point.” Buffy was sitting on the edge of her bed picking at a bowl of ice cream and, talking to Faith on the phone. “Yes, I’ll be fine. It’s not like we’re friends anymore. So no biggie.”



Joyce came and tapped on the door causing Buffy to look up at her in annoyance. She was in the middle of a very important discussion. “Look, my mom is here. Let me call you back.”




Joyce walked into the room closing the door behind her. “Can we talk?” She asked, coming to stand in front of her child.




Buffy rolled her eyes. “If I say no, will you leave as quickly as possible?”




“No, that will only result in me staying in your room longer than I need to be. And it will take away your time to speak with your friend.”




“Fine, make with the talking.” Had Buffy mentioned just how much she hated parents?




Joyce sat down on the bed next to her, not sure where to start. “I don’t even know where to begin.” She paused to look around the room. It still looked the same way it had when Buffy first picked out the wallpaper, the pile of stuff animals sitting under her window. Her prized stuffed pig with its honored place on her bed. This was still a room of a child, not a fifteen year old who was sexually active. Joyce wanted to cry. “I was in here today getting your laundry and…”



“Mom, I have homework and stuff. And not to be all impatient and stuff, but can you please get to the point?”




“Who’s Spike, and when did you two start having sex?”




Buffy’s eyes widened in shock, she had that deer in the headlights look. Her shock quickly turned into a hysterical laugh. “God, you think I’m having sex? I’m not having sex, and defiantly not with Spike.”




“Fine, you don’t have to tell me the truth. All I ask is that you be careful. I know your father and I can preach to you until we’re blue in the face, but if you’re going to do it, then we can’t stop you. But for the love of everything that is holy, why did it have to be with a boy named Spike?”




Buffy jumped up off of the bed. “Did you even hear me? I said, no! There is no sex. I am not having sex. And again, I reiterate, not with Spike! I am still as pure as I was the day you gave birth to me. God, I cannot believe we’re even having this conversation.”



Her mother just gazed at her. Relief washed over her, she did believe her daughter. “Buffy, I just worry. And I only what’s best for you.”




“Yeah, I get that, really. But I’m tired and I have stuff to do, so please, get out.”




Joyce rose from the bed and walked to the door. She really did hate how the relationship between the two of them had deteriorated over the past two years. It seemed soon as her daughter started turning into a young woman, this wall was slowly constructed between the two, and now it seemed as if they were nothing more than two strangers living in the same house. Joyce closed the door behind her and head down stairs.



*****


Buffy starred intently at the closed door as tears spilled from her eyes. She wanted nothing more than to run to her mother and toss herself into her arms, and cry out all of her frustration, confusion, and hurt. But she didn’t. She couldn’t. For one, she had way to much pride for that. And, two, her mom never would understand. They were from two different worlds. She could never relate to the drama that was Buffy’s life. She had an ex-friend spread a horrible lie around school about her. She had another ex-friend telling people that she was a total slut now. And the love of her life was avoiding her like the plague. Joyce Summers couldn’t understand that.



Buffy flopped back onto the bed and gazed up at her ceiling. Why was being a teenager so hard? It was bad enough that your body was changing, ripping you out of the safety that was childhood, into the confusing world of youth. Childhood was safe, boys and girls all looked the same on the outside, you could play together without the added pressure of liking each other. Then on day you wake up, you have hair in places that were once bald, two bumps on your chest that boys can’t get enough of, oily skin, and to top it off, hormones.



Rolling over she placed one of her pillows over her head, hoping sleep would claim her soon. She welcomed oblivion.



*****

A/N: still with me? Let me know.
Chapter Six: You Learn by GoldenBuffy
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews guys! Mr. Muse is very happy and so am I, lol. Not to sound like a review whore, but I love them, so keep ‘em coming. Title comes from Alanis Morissette. I loved Jagged Little Pill. If you’re wondering. Yes, I do read all your reviews and I answer them too. So if you ask me something, what to know something, I will respond! And I keep forgetting to add, if you can’t tell already, this fic is unbeta’d. You’ve been warned, lol.
Chapter Six: You Learn




The door opened slowly since she wanted to be as quiet as possible. She giggled to herself as she made her way over to the bed. Dawn stop two feet away from her sleeping sister, with a deep breath she ran the rest of the way then jumped onto the bed.




Buffy moaned and pulled the blanket over her head. “Get away from me,” she groaned, trying to push her sister off of her.




Dawn straddled her waist and started bouncing harder. “Wake up, Buffy!”




“No, get away.” Buffy pushed the cover off of her and grabbed her sister by the shoulders. “Why are you doing this? You do know that it’s Saturday, right? We’re allowed to sleep in.”




The younger Summers pouted, causing Buffy to roll her eyes. That so didn’t work on her, she invented the pout after all. “I need to talk… to you.”




“And this conversation is so important that it couldn’t wait until after I woke up?”




“No, it can’t. It’s like really, really, really important.”




“Fine. Let me up.”




Dawn climbed off of her sister and moved to sit on the bed. Buffy scooted up to use the headboard as support and got comfortable. “Okay, so spill.”




“Promise you won’t get mad?” Dawn asked, a bit worried. She had no idea how Buffy was going to react to her question.




Against better judgment Buffy nodded her head in agreement. “Promise. Now what’s so important?”




“You. I mean, I know you only think of me as this little thorn in your side. And, really, I love being it.” Dawn smiled at that. “But even though people think I’m not paying attention, I am, and I see things. Notice things. Like, you and Willow, how you don’t talk anymore. Why don’t you two talk anymore?”




Buffy frowned. Just when did her little sister become so observant? “It’s complicated, Dawnie.”





“How can anything be so complicated that two friends who’ve known each other since the beginning of time, just stop talking to each other?”




“I don’t know. It just happens, okay.” Buffy sighed.



Dawn leaned across the bed and placed her hand on Buffy’s covered knee. “Well, I think you need to unhappen it, because you’re not happy. I see that. And I don’t think Willow’s happy either. Can’t you just go back to the way you two were before?”




“I’m still sleepy. I’ll talk to you later.” Dawn knew a dismissal when given one. She watched as Buffy slipped back under her cover and closed her eyes. With a sigh, she got up off of the bed and walked to the door. She just hoped that she didn’t lose all her friends when she got older. Dawn really wasn’t looking forward to become a teenager if it meant that you had to change who you were.



*****


The redhead had searched high and low for that darn sweater. She just couldn’t seem to find it no matter where she looked. It wasn’t in the laundry room, it wasn’t in her closet and, it wasn’t in the basement with her winter stuff. She even checked in her parent’s closet and dresser drawers - nothing. There was only one last place for her to look, and she dreaded the idea.




She raced down the stairs and headed for the front door, shouting out to her mother that she would be back in a few minutes.



*****



Buffy had just gotten out of the shower and, slipped into a pair of pink sweat pants and a white tank top, when she heard the door bell. Shrugging, she headed over to her vanity to dry her hair.




“Buffy, you have company.” Joyce called up the steps.




Buffy frowned; she wasn’t expecting Faith or Xander to drop by. Especially Faith, since Joyce didn’t like her. The girl avoided the house when Buffy’s mom was home.



Buffy walked down the steps then stopped; there stood Willow, a solemn look on her face. The two stared at each other for a few moments before the redhead broke the silence.




“I was looking for my pink fuzzy sweater. I looked all over even in my parents room, but I couldn’t find it. So I figured it must be here.”




“Oh, okay. Umm, I can go look for it if you like?” Buffy knew that the girl would want her to look for it, that was the only reason why she’d come to the house in the first place. “Wanna come with?” She asked before turning back around and headed up the stairs. Willow shrugged before following behind her.




Willow took a set on the floor as Buffy dug around in her closet. “Are you sure it’s here?” She still hadn’t spotted the thing and, she’d been digging around in her closet long enough for her hair to dry.




“I thought so, but obviously it’s not here.” Willow rose to her feet getting ready to leave.




Buffy wanted to stop her, she really did. But that darn pride got in the way and prevented her. Willow was almost to the door when she paused and turned around.



“I just don’t get it.” The admission came out in a frustrated sigh.




“Get what?” Buffy asked surprised.




“All this. Us. You. Why did you have to go and make new friends? I mean, were me and Jesse that bad? What? I wasn’t cool enough? Fun enough?”




Walking over to the bed Buffy plopped down with a sigh. “No, Wills. I tried to explain it to you before. It’s not you, it was never you or Jess. It was me. It is me. I can’t explain it. Heck, I can’t even explain it to myself, so don’t even ask.”




“Well, I do… whan an explanation that is. I think I deserve one even if you can’t think of one.” Willow offered in reply.




Buffy just sat there picking at her finger nails. She didn’t know what to say. “Would… would it help if I said that I miss you?”




Willow tried to hold onto the frown she was currently wearing, but hearing Buffy’s words made it melt away and turn into a small smile.




“Yeah, it does help. And I miss you too.”




Buffy smile. “Really, ‘cause I never would have guessed with the whole talking behind my back and calling me a ho.” She said with a straight face.




Willow paled at the accusation. “Oh, goodness. Buffy, I’m sorry I was being Bad Willow who was scorn by her best friend. I didn’t mean any of it.”




Buffy got up from the bed and walked towards the redhead. “I know, but it still hurt. I guess I did deserve it though. I’ve been treating you and our friendship like dirt, and I shouldn’t be.”




“I think we’re both guilty. Instead of lashing out at you I should have been all support-o gal. Instead I let my jealousy and insecurities get the best of me. What’s a best friend for if they can’t offer support?”




Buffy lightly punched Willow on the arm. “They’re human. You’re human.”




“Are we friends again?” She asked hopefully.




“God, I hope so.” Buffy replied, before pulling Willow into a tight hug.




“I still hate the hair.” Willow whispered into the blonde’s ear.




Dawn stood outside Buffy’s door. She had listened to the conversation intently. A small smile played on her lips as she swung the fuzzy pink sweater in her hands. Her plan worked like a charm. Just because her sister wasn’t talking with Willow didn’t mean she couldn’t. She had gone over to the girl’s house early in the week, under the pretense that she wanted to see her new gold fish. While at the Rosenberg’s residence she “borrowed” Willow’s sweater, knowing that would bring her here looking for it.



Just wait until her Den Mother heard about this, she’d get that “helping hands” merit badge after all.



*****


“‘I’ll pick you up after school,’ she says. ‘Don’t worry about the rain,’ she says. Yeah, well, where the heck is she?” Buffy grumbled trudging down the street. She was soaking wet, her clothes were sticking to her making it hard for her to walk, and her hair hung limp in her face. Making it even harder too see. She was fed up with pushing the wet locks out of her eyes and, instead, opted to be temporarily blind as she pushed forward down her block.



“Just a few more feet, Buffy.” She spoke the words out loud, as if saying them would push her faster.




Soon her feet carried her up the steps of her house and finally under the shelter of her porch. Turning her head, Buffy took note that her mother’s jeep wasn’t in the drive way. She grumbled then reached into her purse for her keys. Her hand moved around searching in the confined space coming up empty handed.




“You gotta be kidding me?” She exclaimed. Buffy dumped the purse out on the porch looking for her keys, there were pencils, pens, a tampon, lip gloss, and some candy and gun wrappers, but no set of house keys. She could so scream at the injustice that was her life. Buffy furiously jammed the items back into her purse.




She stood and glared at the door. With a mental shrug she tried the doorknob – no luck – she was locked out. “Damn it!” She kicked at the door then down at her watch, it was currently 3 pm. Dawn wouldn’t be out of school until 3:15, and then there still was the school bus. Meaning Dawn wouldn’t arrive home until 4 pm. Buffy sneezed, she needed to get dry. She needed to get out of these clothes.



Removing her cell phone from her pocket Buffy punched in her mother’s number. She listened to it ring twice before going to voice mail. “Mom, it’s me. I’m locked out and wet. And I think I’m getting sick. You do remember that you were supposed to pick me up, right?” Buffy flipped the phone shut with a growl.



She entertained the thought of going over Willow’s house. But she still felt a bit awkward about their make-up, and really didn’t wan to intrude on Willow and her parents. The girl’s dad had just returned home from some science retreat for smart people, he’d been gone for two weeks. And she sure as hell wasn’t going over Jesse’s. That left only one option, she had to head back to school. Hopefully her mother would turn up there and rescue her before she drowned or froze to death.




Moving as fast as she could she made it back to school in record time. She rushed to the front doors but found them locked. Angry, she kicked those as well. Unfortunately they were a lot harder than her house door and Buffy yelled in pain. “Stupid door!” she mumbled before sitting down on the top step. At least there was an awning present, so she had some cover from the torrential down pour.



She pulled her cell phone out and tried her mom one last time.




*****


Spike exited the school from the doors on the East side of the building. They led directly to the student parking lot. He looked up at the sky, the rain falling on his already wet hair. He’d just come from swim team practice. William Pratt may not have been a football jock, but he enjoyed physical activity, and colleges liked to see that you at least participated in one sport during your High School career. So Spike tried out Freshmen year and had been on varsity ever since. Funny that, a smoker on varsity.



Chuckling to himself he walked over to his car, unlocked the door, and slipped inside. He pulled out of his parking spot and started for the front on the school, it was the entrance and exit to the parking areas in back. That’s when he noticed her, sitting there on the top step of the school looking like a soggy cat.




He pulled up as close as he could to the sidewalk and rolled down the window. “Need a ride?”




Buffy looked up, her head was resting in her hands. She blinked her eyes, getting the wet strands away to get a clear view of who was speaking to her. Her heart jumped into her throat when her gaze landed on the old Desoto. “YES! I would love a ride!” “No, I’m cool.” Buffy replied trying not to shiver too hard.




Spike rolled his eyes before getting out of the vehicle. “Look, Summers, you’re sitting here blue in the face and you expect me to believe that you don’t need a ride?”



Buffy tried to reply, but her teeth were chattering badly. She rubbed her hands up and down her arms for a second then rolled her eyes. “Fine. Yes, I need a ride.”




Spike smirked before turning to head back around with Buffy close behind him. They got into the car and he pulled off, exited the school and headed down the street in silence. Spike leaned over and turned on the heat. Buffy gave a whimper of delight before thrusting her hands in front of the vent.



“Mmm, warm. I love warm,” she mumbled rubbing her hands together.




He smiled to himself as he watched her. “Where to?”




“Home. My mom was supposed to pick me up but I think she forgot.”




The blond nodded and headed off in the direction of Rivello Drive. The silence accompanied them the rest of the ride. Buffy didn’t feel like small talk, she was wet and, cold and, a little pissed. But she wasn’t sure if she was angry at her mom or at Spike.




“And here we are.” Spike announced. Buffy looked out the window at the house. Her mother still wasn’t home, and thirty minutes remained before Dawn arrived.




Buffy slumped back against the set in despair. She was so going to catch a cold. “I know this sounds stupid, but, I’m locked out and no one is home to let me in.”




“That so? Well, I just can’t leave you sitting on your porch all wet and lonesome.”




Buffy smiled. “So you’re going to do what? Break into my house for me?”




“No. And here I was trying to be all gentlemen like and you accuse me of being a juvenile delinquent.”




Buffy’s mouth opened and closed a few times. She could be such an idiot at times. “Way to go, Buffy. First you insult his name by calling him a porn star and now he thinks that you think he belongs in Juvie.”




Spike broke out in a smile. “I was just messing with you, Summers. Stop over analyzing everything.”




Buffy turned to argue the point, she didn’t over analyze everything. It was just something that she did. It was her thing. But before she could get a word out the car pulled off heading down the street.



*****


How did it come to this? She was standing in his room holding on of his shirts. “Yup, my dream come true. Well, not like this with me being a human mop causing a huge puddle to form on his floor, but you get my point. I’m here in his house, in his room. I have arrived at the Promise Land and I’m ready to bolt.”




“… you do that, yeah?” He was looking at her expectantly.





Her confusion must have been written all over her face. “I said you go change then bring me your things. I’ll put ‘em in the dryer.”




“Oh, okay. I can do that.” She turned around in a circle. “Umm, where’s…”




Spike pointed to the slightly ajar door in his room. “Bathroom’s right through there.”




With a small smile Buffy turned and headed to the bathroom. She slowly slipped out of her sneakers and socks, leaving them on the floor. She glanced around the small bathroom. It would be so cool if she had her own bathroom, free from sharing it with Dawn. Buffy found herself wondering if Spike had any siblings. As much as she obsessed over him, she hardly knew anything about him. And that’s when it hit truly her. She was standing in Spike’s bathroom about to get undressed. This really wasn’t a dream, this was real life. It wasn’t as if they were about to do anything, but this was a huge. No. It was a monumental step for her. Never had she been alone, in a house, with a boy. And not to mention about to get undressed. Buffy swallowed nervously. “Just wait until Faith hears about this!”




“You okay in there?” snapped her out of her internal monologue. Buffy’s eyes flashed to the door, making sure that it was still closed.




“Yeah, I’m fine. I’ll be right out.” She waited to hear him walk away before stripping down to only her bra and panties. Buffy decided to leave them on for two reasons. One, they really weren’t that wet. And, two, she so wasn’t going to let Spike see her unmentionables.




Scooping the pile of clothes from off the floor Buffy remembered that she was almost naked. A blush stole over her face as she reached for the black t-shirt Spike had given her to wear. See, this was a perfect example for why her dad should have gotten her a camera phone. Taking a picture of her wearing Spike’s t-shirt was for prosperity.




She emerged from the bathroom eyes cast down, her wet clothing in her arms, and her hair pulled back into a haphazard pony tail. She looked so innocent yet alluring at the same time. There was just something about a girl wearing a man’s shirt that made them all sexy like. Spike closed his eyes briefly. He could do this. It wasn’t as if she’d come here with him to do anything, other than get warm and dry. And to wait until her mother came home so that she could get into her own house. Plus, it wasn’t as if he liked her or anything. They had shared a kiss. It wasn’t anything special. He had done it out of curiosity. And he had finally purged his system of her. So having Buffy here, in his room, half dressed was something to be unconcerned about.




*****



“You should let me show you.”




Buffy arched her brow at him. “Surf? I don’t think so. And what does a boy from England know about surfing anyway?”




Spike gave her is trademark smirk. “There are a lot of things this boy knows.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her playfully. “and surfing’s one of them.”



They had spent twenty of the thirty minutes it took for her clothes to dry sitting in the kitchen talking. It was nice and Buffy really enjoyed it. Getting to know Spike proved to be an eye opening experience, he was no longer this boy shrouded in mystery, and she liked what she uncovered. Too bad she couldn’t act on her feelings.



“I don’t know. Can I think about it?” she asked, getting up from her chair to place her glass in the sink.




“Take all the time you need,” Spike responded from behind her. He reached around her to place his own glass in the sink.




He was so close, right there. If she turned around they would only be inches apart. Buffy tried to control her breathing from speeding up, but he was just so close. Her mind started racing a mile a minute.



Should she turn around? Wouldn’t that be too forward? What if he didn’t want her to turn around? God, she wished that Faith was here, she’d tell her what to do. The decision was taken out of her hands when Spike turned her around slowly. The two stood there gazing at each other. His eyes seemed to be searching hers, looking for something. Buffy wondered what it was, but what she wanted more was for him to kiss her. She wanted to feel him on her lips again - taste the unique flavor that was Spike.




The buzzer to the dry sounded and Spike turned to look at the machine then back to Buffy. “You’re clothes are done.” He was still gazing at her with that intent stare.




She nodded numbly. “Yeah, I heard. I should go get changed.” She moved around him and over to the dryer to get her clothes.




Spike stood there watching her every move, as if he was debating something within himself. Shyly she headed for the bathroom to change.




“Buffy,” he whispered, as if she were a startled animal and speaking louder would scare her away.



She turned around to find him standing right there. Talk about stealth mode, he was all stealthy standing behind her. Before she could make a snarky comment about him sneaking up on her, he slipped his arm around her waist pulling her flush against him. Buffy closed her eyes knowing what was coming next. Their lips connected causing a slight shiver to run down her spine. She opened her mouth allowing him inside. She melted into him, deepening the kiss. They finally broke apart when breathing once again became necessary.




“I’ve been waiting to do that for a while now.” Spike admitted, with a grin.




Buffy smiled back. “I’m glad you did,” she managed to say before the blush Spike found so adorable colored her cheeks. “I, I better go get changed.”




Spike watched as Buffy disappeared into the downstairs bathroom.



*****



Dawn ran to the window and peeked out. “Buffy’s home!” She yelled before going back to watch Hannah Montana.




Joyce hurried to the door and opened it in time to see her daughter close the car door. She also noted the smile on her daughter’s face.




Buffy hurried up the walkway, up the steps, and onto the porch. She gave one final look over her shoulder and watched as Spike pulled off then she went inside.




Joyce followed her in. “Who was that? And where have you been?”




“No one. And you were supposed to pick me up. So I think the question is; where were you?”




“Don’t you dare take that tone of voice with me young lady!”




Buffy rolled her eyes. “Mom, don’t.”




“Don’t what, Buffy? Last time I checked I was the parent in this relationship, not you. And when I ask you something I expect an answer.” Joyce exclaimed.




Buffy only glared at her momentarily before turning and running up the steps. Joyce followed suite, chasing the teen into her bedroom.




“Don’t you walk away from me.” She said coming inside.




“I didn’t walk, I ran. Now get out!” Buffy shouted.




“Just what in the hell is wrong with you?”




“I waited for you in the rain. I got wet, and cold, and I was locked out of the house. I called you like a hundred times and you couldn’t even answer your phone once to talk with me.”




“It wasn’t my fault. Your sister had an accident at school and I had to rush to the hospital. She fell and broke her arm, and I had to turn off my phone. So, no, I couldn’t take your calls. I’m sorry I didn’t call and tell you that, but for God’s sake, Buffy, you’re a young adult. How did you forget your keys?”




“I switched purses and left them on the floor. But that’s beside the point. You could have told me. Instead you leave me waiting for you.”




“And you what, jump in a car with a boy?”




Buffy’s eyes widened in shock. “I though you believed me!”




“I want to believe you, Buffy. But with the way you’ve been acting and now I see you getting out of some strange boy’s car. What am I supposed to believe?”




“That wasn’t some strange boy! That was Spike. And, no, we didn’t have sex. I was wet like I said, and he took me to his house to dry my clothes. Or would you rather I come down with pneumonia to keep my virtue in tacked?”




Joyce sighed. “I’m sorry, honey. I… I don’t know what got into me.”



“It’s fine, mom. Can I just be alone now?” Buffy just wanted her gone. She wanted to be alone.




Joyce nodded before leaving Buffy alone.



*****


A/N: *ducks head* What did you think? Still want more? Let me know!
Chapter Seven: One in a Million by GoldenBuffy
Author's Notes:
, I got more reviews, lol. Thanks, I really do appreciate them. They let me know what you think and that you’re truly enjoying the fic. Title taken from Gun n Roses album GnR Lies, One in a Million (song). Great album, well all their albums are great!
Chapter Seven: One in a Million




“I am completely and totally in love.” Buffy exclaimed. “It was way better than the first kiss, it was longer.” Faith watched the blissful look wash over her friend’s face.




Buffy opened her eyes and moved away from the wall. “It’s not the same in here without Xander. Can’t he come back just for a visit?”




Faith snorted. “Nah. What’s done is done. He’s a big boy now.” She said before turning away with a pout.




Noticing the look of discontent Buffy hurried to admen her statement. “It’s not as if I don’t enjoy your company! Quality time with Faith is always of the good. We so don’t need Xander to make bathroom time entertaining.”




The brunette rolled her eyes then snickered. “Please, B. I’m not upset ‘cause you miss Xander. I miss him too. I’m just upset that I had no hand in helping you with the Spike smooches.” Faith smiled. “Although, it pleases me too no end knowing that you enjoy my company.”




Buffy grinned. “You’re missing the whole point! If it weren’t for you locking me in that room with him, well, he never would have noticed me. Hence no Spike kisses. So, see? You’re totally responsible.”




Faith thought about it for a moment. “I did, didn’t I? Locking you in that room was brilliant, if I do say so myself.”




“Don’t let your ego get too inflated there, grily.” Buffy ran her fingers through her hair as she looked in the mirror. “The only draw back now is the fact that my mom thinks I’m having sex. And now that’s she’s actually seen Spike, I’m thinking I will never be allowed to go out on a date with him. If he ever asks me out on one that is.”




“Don’t stress it. Your mom will get over it. I mean, seriously, you’re going to start having sex someday. She’s bound to wake up and smell the coffee. And in truth, I don’t see how anyone can come to the conclusion that you’re having sex. You’re way to up tight to be getting laid.”





Buffy mocked laughed before rolling her eyes. “Ha, ha! Well, it’s been fun, but there are classes waiting. And unlike some people I know, I do attended mine.”




Faith waved at the blonde’s retreating back before turning to her reflection. She gave herself a once over before washing her hands.




The bathroom door opened admitting Willow. Her eyes landed on Faith and they narrowed as she slowly made her way towards her.




Faith turned around, looking her up and down before turning back to the mirror.




“Did she tell you?” Willow asked, a smirk on her lips. Which Faith noted looked quit at home on the girl’s face.



Faith didn’t reply, she continued to apply her make-up. Once finished she turned back to the shorter girl. “Who told me what?” But she knew exactly who the redhead was referring to.




Willow sighed. “Buffy. We made up. So, since we’re friends again she won’t be needing someone like you hanging around.”




“Oh, really?” Faith glared. “No body speaks for Buffy. Not me. Not Xander and, sure as hell not you! If she doesn’t want to be my friend then she’ll tell me herself.” Faith paused, gazing at Willow with disgust. “Not some overly judgmental little bitch like you!”




Willow glared daggers at Faith. “I’d rather be a bitch than a whore!”




“Yeah, well proud of it!” Faith shouted after Willow as she exited the bathroom.




*****



“I don’t know, Hank. I’m at my end. No matter what I say, what I do, we still fight. And now she’s refusing to speak with me. It’s like I have to walk on eggshells around her.”



Hank looked at the phone, wishing that he could be there for his wife. He was currently out of town on business.



“Could you be blowing this out of proportion?” Things can’t possibly be as bad a you say.”




Joyce sighed. “No. I wish I were, but I’m not. Buffy hates me and I don’t know why.”




“I feel your pain, honey.” He offered in condolence.




Joyce pursed her lips. “No, you really don’t. How can you say you know or even understand what I’m felling, what I’m going through? Our daughter. The child I carried, gave birth to, hates me!” She exclaimed.




“Buffy doesn’t hate you, Joyce. You said it yourself. She’s going through puberty, coming into her own. And I’m pretty sure if you took a moment and reflected on your adolescence you’d see that you weren’t a walk in the park with your mother either.”




Joyce grinned; she could hear the smile in her husband’s voice. “You’re right. I’m just over reacting. Things have to go back to normal…. someday.”




*****



He knew something was up and, Angel didn’t like it when he was left out of the loop. All day long Spike had been acting not like his normal self, and every time Angel enquired he would blow him off saying that it was nothing. That he was fine. Angel’s eyes narrowed, Spike wasn’t fine!



He watched as two cheerleaders, Harmony and Kendra, threw themselves all over Spike; he hardly turned an eye their way. He was actually carrying on as if they didn’t exist.




The brunette squinted his eyes harder, this time catching the blond’s gaze. He followed his line of sight and, to his surprise, they landed on that pretty little blonde from a party like a week or two ago.



A smirk spread across his face. She was what was bothering his friend, making him act beside himself. Angel pursed his lips. He just hoped that Spike would get her out of his system soon. He didn’t like seeing him like this… occupied over some girl. They were only there for a quick fuck then you moved on to green pastures.



*****


It took forever for lunchtime to roll around. But once it had Buffy found that she had no appetite, her stomach was all twisted up in knots, but for good reason. One, Spike was eating his lunch directly in front of her. He was sitting only three tables away from her. And, two, there were some skanky hos hanging all over him. And to up their levels of skankness they were shoving their boobs in face and basically molesting him on the spot. Okay, they weren’t actually molesting him, but it was close. Nasty bitches!




Buffy frowned; how could she ever compete with that?




“Why so glum my little blonde one?” Xander questioned before biting into his hamburger.




Buffy pointed in the general direction of the Spike groupies. “How can I compete with them? She sighed. “I just can’t! That’s what!” She slouched back into her chair then glanced down at her breast. “If only they’d grow some more.”



Faith snorted. “Seriously, don’t even go there. One, you’re not a hoochie and, it’s obvious that’s what attracted Spike to you. You’re something he’s not used to. And, two, Harmony and Kendra are not the brightest in the bunch. They’ll make nice trophy wives someday.”



“Yeah, well thanks!” Buffy mumbled dryly. “So, what happens once my “newness” wears off?”



Faith sighed, before tossing down her sandwich. “Buffy, don’t think that way. You have to look at the broader picture here, and trust me when I say this. Spike is totally into you. You have brains, you have beauty, and, most importantly, bouncy, shiny shampoo commercial hair. You’re going to have his attention for a very long time. Plus, you are so take-home-to-mom material. You’re the type of girl a guy wants to marry and have babies with.”




Buffy groaned out load before dropping her head onto the formica lunch table. Xander turned to her and patted her back sympathetically.



*****


“Where is it?” she mumbled digging around in her locker. Buffy quickly unzipped her backpack and removed her English book, opening it and began to frantically skim through its pages. Breathing a sigh of relief, Buffy had never been so happy to find lost homework. She went to stuff it back in her book when she looked at the name and smiled. The Fates were really looking out for her.




Buffy hurriedly gathered up her things, slammed her locker door, then took off down the hall.



*****


She entered the pool area, her eyes scanning the floor until they found what they were searching for. Buffy froze in place quickly using her hand to close her mouth.



When she had rushed off to give Spike back his English paper she had no idea that he’d be at swim practice already. So when coach Brach told her to head on down to the pool she thought nothing of it. Well, maybe she should have.



“Okay, you can so this, Buffy. It’s not like you’ve never seen a half naked guy before. Hello, cable! There are naked guys there all the time.”
But the small pep talk didn’t stop the blush that spread over he cheeks. Her eyes took all of him in. Even if she wanted to stop starring Buffy couldn’t. It was as if she had been lost in the desert, parched and, finally found an oasis. Spike being that patch of salvation in all that dryness, and she drank him down.




“You know how you find something when you’re little? Like a rock, or a symmetrical shaped potato chip, and you think that it’s perfect in every way. It is in fact the most perfect thing you have ever laid your eyes upon.”



“Well, gazing at Spike I’ve come to the conclusion that everything I have ever thought to be perfect was, in fact, flawed. William –Spike – Partt is indeed the most perfect creature to ever walk God’s green earth. The ultimate in perfection. If the Roman Goddess Venus and the statue David were to have a child, Spike would be the end result.”





Buffy sighed, this was like a dream come true. She watched as he dove into the water. Watching him swim was an art form; he was so graceful cutting through the water. She watched from the sidelines as he did a few more warm-up strokes.




*****



He was always the first into the water; he liked the quite before the other boys joined him. He enjoyed the feel of the calm water as he entered it, encasing him in its chill. As he swam Spike became one with his thoughts. Nothing bothered him here, and he was able to let go. Enjoying the freedom that swimming offered him. It was also the reason why he took up surfing. The freedom. The peace. The solitude.




So when he noticed that he wasn’t alone he took a quick peek to see who was watching him before he slipped under the water. He was pleasantly surprised to find Buffy Summers standing there gracing him with her company.




Finishing his last warm-up lap he headed for the ladder on the side of the pool and got out. He grabbed his towel and started towards her.





“Oh, God, he’s coming this way!” her brain shouted. Buffy wanted to run, really, she did. But her feet were planted to the floor. It was as if they had gone and sprouted roots that anchored her to the floor, and worse yet, her eyes wouldn’t stop ogling Spike’s oh so sexy bod. He was just so, manly. His arms, his abs, even his feet were perfect. Buffy decided that his feet were even sexy. Her eyes wandered back up his body, trying to avoid the barely there swimming briefs, and failing miserably. It wasn’t her fault, it was right there, in her face. It was just asking to be looked at.




Spike came to a halt in front of her, following the trail of her gaze. With a knowing grin he curled his tongue behind his teeth and leered at her. “See anything you like, Summers?”




That snapped Buffy back to attention and her blush deepened. “I’ve been caught being a perv!” “Yes… no. I mean, no! I’m here ‘cause, ummm, I have something, for you.” Buffy stammered.




Spike let his eyes roam over her for a moment. “I’m sure you do, luv. Take a set and we’ll talk after practice. I can give you a ride.” With a final smirk he headed back to the pool.




The rest of the swim team had emerged from the locker room and for a moment Buffy was taken back by Jesse’s presence. She had forgotten that he was on the team as well. Their eyes met, he sent her a small smile. She rolled her eyes then walked over to the benches taking a set.




*****



She stood by the gym doors waiting for Spike. Who would have thought sitting in a stuffy pool area for an hour watching scantly clad boys swim could be entertaining. Buffy giggled to herself, Faith would have known. Matter of fact, she was surprised that the girl wasn’t there front and center ogling on the wet bodies. She’d have to call her later and question her on the matter.




“Buffy?”



The teen turned towards the voice and her face falling. “What do you want?” She asked defensively.




Jesse ran a hand through his wet hair. “I just want to talk with you.”




“Hello, what part of never speak to me again didn’t you understand?”



“Buffy, I know what I did was wrong, and bad, and rude. But I’m sorry, you have to believe me. I never wanted to hurt you.” He pleaded with her.




“Yeah, well, you did. And I’m still hurting, and really not in the mood to be all forgiving. I would never have done that to you, Jesse. I… I thought we were better than that. Was I wrong?”




“No, you’re not wrong.”




“Then why? Why would you do that? Of all the kids in the school it was you that hurt me.”




Jesse took a deep breath. Now was his moment, he could tell her everything. Lay it all out there for her to see. He opened his mouth.




“Spike!” Buffy shouted from the doorway waving her hand in the air. The blond walked towards her his gym bag under his arm.




“I’d like to say it’s been fun, but it wasn’t. Gotta go.” She mumbled before heading off to meet Spike.



Jesse’s eyes narrowed. He really disliked that boy.



*****


They sat parked in front of Buffy’s house as she dug around in her purse. “Ah, ha! Got them this time.”




Spike couldn’t help it, he had to laugh. The triumphant look Buffy was giving him was priceless; she had remembered her keys this time.




“So what was so important that it couldn’t wait until tomorrow, which you had to intrude on my swim time to come and give me?”




Buffy slapped his arm playfully. “Please, you so enjoyed me watching you swim.” She paused to retrieve the paper from her backpack. “I accidentally picked up your paper in class today. And since we had homework I figured you’d want it back.”




Spike took the paper, glanced at it, then tossed it in the back. “Thanks. Need to be more careful. Watch where you’re going.”




She rolled her eyes. “I was until you jumped in my way making me drop all my papers.” He smirked at her.




“There’s this movie playing and I was wondering if you’d fancy going with me?”



Buffy’s mouth opened slightly but nothing came out. Was he asking her out? No, it couldn’t be. Could it? She replayed his question over in her head. He had. He had just asked her out on a date! She was still sitting there not saying anything and she could see the uncomfortableness starting to settle over his face.




“Umm, wow! Yes, yes, I’d love to go with you.”




“Good. Was starting to think you weren’t going to answer me, or at least shoot me down.”




Buffy smiled. “My only answer would be yes. I, I don’t think I could turn you down.” She began to blush.




Spike leaned over coming face to face with her. “Thanks for the paper.” He gestured to the back set.




“You’re very welcome.” Buffy replied before he kissed her.




With a final goodbye Buffy slipped out of the car and into her house.



*****

A/N: I hope you guys are still with me. Sorry about the wait but I got caught up with the kid’s school and my oldest got the flu. So I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Let me know, please review!
Chapter Eight: The Bright Side of the Rainbow by GoldenBuffy
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the gap in updates, but I’ve been sick. First the flu then I got some stomach bug thingy. Really nasty. But I’m better now. So I hope you enjoy this chapter, and please let me know what you think!
*****

Chapter Eight:The Bright Side of the Rainbow



Dawn bounced down the stairs then headed into the kitchen, only to be greeted by her parents. Joyce turned back to the stove finishing up her pancakes, as Hank poured two mugs of coffee along with two glasses of orange juice.



Buffy entered the room moments later humming to herself. Dawn watched as her older sister moved to the fridge grabbing the carton of grapefruit juice. She came to the kitchen table and sat down, before pouring some of the bitter juice in with her orange.



Dawn frowned then shrugged her shoulders before reaching for the grapefruit juice and doing the same. She then brought the glass to he lips; taking a sip. “Blah!” she shuddered then pushed the glass away.




Buffy hardly paid her any attention as she cut up her pancake, still humming.




“Buffy’s in love.” Dawn sang before stuffing a piece of her breakfast in her mouth.



The blonde rolled her eyes. “I am not! Shut up.”



“Yeeees, you are. Admit it!”



Hank arched a brow. “What makes you think Buffy’s in love?” He asked, slightly amused.



“Well, for starters she’s got this stupid look on her face.” To prove her point Dawn looked over at her sister. Buffy was no longer following the conversation; she was lost in her own world; daydreaming about her upcoming date with Spike. “And she’s totally ignoring me! I’ve been copying her all morning and all she done is hum that stupid song.” Dawn huffed.




Hank and Joyce shared a look, before she gave a small chuckle. Something did have Buffy distracted, it was only logical to think it could be a boy.




“Hurry up and finish you breakfast, you don’t want to miss your bus.” Joyce said to her youngest. The girl frowned then began her assault on her plate. Working with one good arm was hard.




Buffy took a few bites of her bacon and a nibble of her pancake before drinking the rest of her juice. She was lost in thought.



“I’m going out on a date, with Spike! Just how cool is that?” Buffy grinned to herself then frowned. “Oh, God, I’m going on a date, with Spike! What am I going to wear? I have nothing to wear. I have to go shopping, like today! Oh, wait. I have no idea when this date is. God, this is hard. Why couldn’t this be easier?”



“Did you hear me?” Joyce had begun clearing the table of dishes as she spoke to her daughter.




Puzzled, Buffy blinked, searching her brain for an answer. “Sorry, I kinda spaced out. What did you say?”




“I asked if you were finished with breakfast. Mind telling me who has you in such a bright mood this morning?”



“I’m not in a happy mood,” she said, getting up. Buffy followed her mother over to the sink; she had an important question to ask. “Would… could… is it okay if I go out… on a date… with a boy?” She waited nervously for the reply.



Joyce smirked before turning to face her daughter. “A date, huh?” Her brows rising in amusement.



“Yeah, nothing big. Just me, some guy, and a movie.” Buffy tried to sound aloof.



“Some guy, huh? Would this guy be the same one who drove you home the other day?”



Buffy nodded. “Yeah, Sp- Will.”



“Okay then. You can go out on your date under one condition. We, meaning your father and me, have to meet him first.”



“What? Are you serious? What am I twelve?”



“No, you’re not twelve, you’re fifteen, and my daughter. Therefore I want to at least speak to the boy who’s going to be taking you out.”




Buffy rolled her eyes. “Fine.” She huffed, before grabbing her backpack and heading for the front door.



*****



“Is it true?”



Buffy turned to Willow with a questioning stare. “You know, you and Spike?”




The girl paled, there was another rumor going around school about her? Why, God? Why? Her name being mentioned in the same sentence as Spike’s only equaled badness.



The look of trepidation on her face prompted the redhead to continue. “It’s all over school, but nothing in a bad way, I mean, it’s all good, very much of the good. People are saying that you and Spike are an item, which brings be back to my original question. Is it true?”



Buffy blushed this time. “I guess so. I mean, I really don’t know. He did ask me out but that doesn’t mean we’re a couple. Does it?”



Willow gasped in surprise. “Um, yeah, it kinda does. Or at least I’ve been told, so don’t quote me on that. Oh, my, God, this is so cool.” Willow was smiling but it quickly turned into something more serious. “Just be careful, okay? I don’t want you getting hurt. We all know how Spike is with girls, and by that I mean, don’t give him any sex.”



That comment earned her a glare which turned into a giggle. The two shared a moment of laughter before Buffy placed her hand on Willow’s shoulder. “Seriously, Wills, there will be no sex giving. I want Spike with me because of who I am, not if I put out or not. If he’s only after sex, then he’s with the wrong girl.”


“Sex? Who’s getting some?” Faith asked, squeezing between the two.



Willow rolled her eyes as Buffy smiled. “No one. What’s up?” Buffy asked cheerfully.



“Well, I have to go.” Willow announced not even glancing at the new comer. “See you later, Buffy.” Turning around she almost bumped into Xander.



“Sorry, I didn’t see you there.”



“It’s okay. I should have shouted “watch out” or something. Completely my fault,” he replied.



Willow shyly smiled at him before walking away. Xander watched her in slight awe. Was he completely reading into something that wasn’t there or, had Willow just smiled at him?



“Okay, I was hanging out in the boys locker room when something caught my ear. Wanna know what it was?” She didn’t wait for the blonde to answer her. “Well, if you must know, there’s this rumor that little Miss. Buffy and Big Bad Spike are dating. So I’m thinking there has to be some truth to it. You know, since the last time there wasn’t!” Faith said sarcastically.



“There is some truth this time.” Buffy admitted with excitement. “He asked me out to the movies. I called to tell you but you weren’t home.”



“Yeah, I got stuck actually having to spend time with my mom. She got dumped by her latest low life of a boy toy, and she was making with the water works. I had the phone unplugged as we watch Thelma and Louise.”



“Sorry about your mom, but who’s saying this about me? It’s not Jesse is it?”



“Jesse? No, don’t worry about him. It was Toby. He saw you at swim practice and then watched as the two of you got in Spike’s car.” Faith gave Buffy a silly leer. “Don’t worry this rumor is a sex free one!”



Buffy gave a sigh of relief, thankful to hear that bit of news. Faith on the other hand was rubbing her hands together staring at the teen. “Speaking of bumpin’ uglies; Spike asked you out? When?”



“There’s the problem, he hasn’t given me a date. Just how messed up is that? You ask someone out but you don’t tell them when or what time.”



“Don’t worry he’ll rectify that situation. And when he does you have fun on your date, and by fun I mean have fun.” Faith gave Buffy a wink of the eye and a nod of the head.



“Ewww, Faith. You’re such a pig. Why does everyone think that it’s okay to give advice on my sex life when I have no sex life?”



“We have too. It’s our duty. And if I don’t push you into having sex, well, then, you’ll never get a sex life. Plus, you so want to jump Spike’s bones.”



“Faith.” Buffy growled, slapping her on the arm.



“What? I was only stating the obvious. You know you were thinking it,” she grinned before jogging off down the hall a trail of laughter floated behind her.



Buffy watched with a bemused smile before she turned towards Xander with a slight smirk.



“Don’t look at me!” he offered, putting his hands up in mock defense. “I’m no Doctor Ruth; I do not give sex advice.”



The two began walking to class in a companionable silence. Xander shoved his hands in his jeans pockets as he took a deep nervous breath.



“What do you think about Willow?”



Buffy arched her brow in question. “What do you mean? Like as a friend?” She asked for further clarification.



“No, I mean,” Xander took another deep breath. “what do you think… do you think she could like me?”



The blonde’s smile grew. ‘Awww, Xander has a crush on Wills.’ “Honestly, Xand, I’m not sure.”



She watched as the hope on his face deflated. “But, look, it’s not like we’ve been friends forever, well, you know what I mean. We just got back together, it’s not like she’s mentioned anyone that she likes. I can ask her if you like. In a totally subtle way of course.”



That lifted the brunette’s spirits, his eyes lit up with his smile. “Yeah, completely subtle. Subtle is definitely of the good.”



*****


The bell rang; announcing the end of another school day. Buffy closed her locker door as she slung her backpack over her shoulder. She started down the hall debating with herself. She wanted to see Spike… again. The truth, she couldn’t get enough of him, if all he did all day was stand in front of her, she’d never tire of gazing at him. Correction, ogling is sexy body. He was perfection and perfection deserved to be ogled.



But the fact was she was not his girlfriend, at least not that she knew of, and no matter how badly she wanted to sit there on the bleachers and watch him swim she couldn’t. It would be in bad taste, and make her look all clingy. She so didn’t want to come off as one of those type of girls. She also didn’t want to fall in the category of being a Spike groupie. But, they had shared in two smooch sessions as well as drive to his house for dry clothes. Buffy frowned, that meant zilch. She just had to wait for their date and, then, maybe he would make it official. With her mind made up, Buffy headed for the front of the school.



“Summers!”



The voice came out of nowhere, sending a delicious shiver down her back. She couldn’t pin point the reason why her body reacted in that way when he called her, but she was pretty sure it was due to his voice. It had to be the accent. The way her name spilled from his lips, it should have been illegal. Taking a deep breath and trying her hardest to wipe the cheesy grin off her face, Buffy turned around.



“Hey, Spike!”



He came to a halt in front of her, not speaking, not moving, he just starred at her. His eyes roaming over her like a man starved. Buffy shivered once more, her checks turning a slight pink as her inner Faith whispered all the naughty things Spike was currently thinking about as he gazed upon her.



Another voice, Buffy’s voice of reason interjected on the smut fest currently broadcasting in her skill pointing out, rather rudely, that Spike most likely got wind of the new rumor going around. Buffy could feel the panic begin to rise inside of her. No, that so was not true. But it could be true, that’s what scared her the most. That Spike would hear the new gossip and decide to call the whole date off and never speak to her again. If that happened she would die. Just roll into the fetal passion and wither away to nothing. She didn’t want to die, she wanted to get to know Spike’s lips more.


Spike’s lips were of the good!




“You headed home?” He asked.



Buffy shrugged. “Yeah, it’s what I do at the end of the day.”




Spike nodded. “Or, you could come to swim practice and wait for me.” It was more of a statement than a question. Plus, who was she to refuse. It was an open invitation to gaze on the perfection that was Spike.



“Okay. It’s not like I have anything important to do anyway.”



“Yeah. Plus, you enjoy viewing my oh, so, sexy bod.”



Buffy’s eyes widened comically, his comment catching her off guard. Just how was one supposed to respond to something like that?



Spike didn’t have to look back at her to know that she was pink with embarrassment, but he did anyway. He loved how she looked, all pure like. If she knew how hot she looked right now he would end up putty in her hands. But Spike guessed that was one of the reasons he was so drawn to her. She didn’t have a clue about how attractive she really was.



Buffy’s cheeks grew pinker as she realized he was staring at her once again. She quickly ducked her head trying to hide her smile.




“I’ll take that as a yes,” he commented with a smirk, before turning back around.



*****


Buffy admitted (to herself) that the swim team offered a good chunk of eye candy, but none of them could even come close to Spike. The practice moved faster this time around and she found herself entertaining the idea of joining the girls swim team. It was an excellent way to stay in shape, but decided against it. The chlorine would dry out her hair.




Buffy nibbled lightly on her bottom lip as she stood waiting for Spike an hour later. She really didn’t want to deal with Jesse, but was pleasantly surprised when he ignored her, only mumbling a “Hey, Buffy,” as he passed her. Buffy shrugged then turned her eyes back to the door exiting from the gym and adjoining locker rooms.



Spike soon emerged, hair slightly wet and his swim bag under his arm. Buffy frowned as she saw he was accompanied by Angel. The two were talking. The brunette glanced at her, smiled, then turned back to Spike. He said something that had them both chuckling. He then gave Spike a friendly pat on the back and left.



She couldn’t help but wonder what he had said. Was it about her? It could have been. Angel had looked at her before turning back to Spike then making the comment. Buffy wrapped her arms around her middle as she pushed the dark thoughts from her head. She smiled as their eyes met and he smiled back.



‘It’s strange. I find myself standing here watching as the love of my life walks towards me, and I am faced with the harsh reality that I know nothing about love. Of course I’ve had crushes, been sorta in lust before, but this is real, I can taste it, feel it. Even smell it. Yet, it has this dream like quality to it. I keep thinking I’m going to wake up any minute and find this has all been a dream. That Spike still doesn’t know that I exist and I’m still the same girl that I was before the summer ended.



But then I feel as if I’ve woken from a dream, but to reality, and in this reality I have Spike. And I’m faced with this dilemma, should I open my heart to him and let him lead me through the choppy waters of love, hoping for a positive out come. Or should I shield myself off and hope for the best?



If I let him take the lead what will become of the both of us? What if I took the lead? Would that make me seem bossy? A control freak? Would he even like that?”





“Ready?” He asked, standing in front of her. Buffy nodded her head.



They made their way to the Desoto and he unlocked her door. Buffy slipped inside and watched as Spike made his way around the car, unlocked the door, then slipped behind the wheel. They drove in silence for a few moments until he reach over and turned on the radio. The car filled with the sound of what Buffy assumed was Punk. She never listened to it before, but it wasn’t too bad. She had no idea who it was or what they were saying. She continued to gaze out of the window. They would be at her house soon, yet he still hadn’t mentioned anything.




“Did you hear?” Why was her mouth speaking without permission from her brain?



“Hear what?”



‘Okay, he has no idea. Shut up now.’ Of course her brain wouldn’t hear any of that. “You know, you, me, an item.”




Spike took his eyes off the road for a moment to regard her. “Yeah, what of it?”




“Don’t know. Was just wondering if you heard about it that’s all.”




He parked in front of the Summers’ residence then turned off the car. He turned to her. “I’ve heard. What’s on your mind, Summers?”




Buffy sighed. “I was just… I’m guessing you no longer want to talk to me, right?”



Spike reached over, lightly nudging her chin up to look at him. “Buffy, only did that because I thought that was what you wanted. Might not have been one of my brightest ideas, but, yeah. Anyway, it’s not what I want this time.”



She was gazing at him with a hopeful look in her eye. “So, what does that mean? What do you want?”



“Thought that was pretty obvious. You.” He said the last part with a small smile.



Buffy looked away. “Why? What’s so different this time around?” Why couldn’t she leave well enough alone? She just had to keep pushing. Couldn’t just accept the fact that he wanted her. No, she had to know why. Like that mattered.



“Don’t rightly know. All I know is I’ve gotten know you and I like what I know. I want to know more of you, if you’ll let me.”



Okay, she completely took her last comment back. His reason did matter. He wanted to get to know her better, he wanted her. If it wasn’t for the fact that she was currently sitting in his car, Buffy would be doing her happy dance, instead she smiled.



He hadn’t realized it, but as they were talking his hand moved from her chin and now was resting in her hair, lightly playing with the golden locks.



“So we’re settled then?” He questioned. Buffy nodded.



She turned to look at her house. “Guess I better get going. I have home work and, I know my mom has some crazy chore for me to do.” She turned to open the door.



“We’re still on for that movie?”



“Yup, the last time I checked.” Buffy paused then rolled her eyes. “Wait, my parents, they so want to meet you. They can’t allow me to go out with some guy without them knowing him first.”



Spike regarded her with his scarred brow. This was a first. He had never been in a girl’s house while her parents were home let alone met said parents. This could be interesting. “Fine. I’ll drop by around six on Friday, chat up your folks, then we can catch the seven thirty show.”



Buffy smiled, relieved that he agreed to met her parents. “Sounds good.” With a final waved she got out of the car and headed to her house.


*****

A/N: Anyone still with me? Please review and let me know!
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=29284