Dancing In The Dark by ZLB
Summary: This is an AR all human cast with eventual Spuffyness. What happens when a writer becomes what they are writing? William Pratt is about to find out! William was always good with words… That is written words. On paper he was suave and engaging. Everything he was not in real life. So he was always in his best friend’s shadow. One day William decided to step out in to the light, and got more then he dreamed possible!
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 12156 Read: 9052 Published: 02/06/2008 Updated: 09/16/2009

1. Friendly Advice by ZLB

2. Getting Ready by ZLB

3. Finding The Fun by ZLB

4. Needing Something New by ZLB

5. Finding The Look by ZLB

6. Enter Spike by ZLB

Friendly Advice by ZLB
Author's Notes:
Ok, this is the first fan fic I have written EVER. It’s been dusted off and polished up. So Reviews are greatly appreciated! This idea actually came to me when I was listening to Dancing in the Dark, by Bruce Springsteen. Now I will try to stay true to the characters as possible, but keep in mind due to the different dynamics of their relationships in this fic they may come out a bit off. Either way, I hope you enjoy…..
William never was much of an adventurer. He was an observer. He was the one who wrote about the adventurers. Secretly he wished he was outgoing enough to be like his best friend Riley. Riley was the confidant one, the jock, the lady’s man … in other words, the hero…


William didn’t begrudge his best friend this. How could he? Riley was always trying to get William to crawl out of his shell. But William never had Riley’s confidence. So he spent his life thus far being a sidekick, if he even ranked that…


But no matter how different, they were best friends since they were kids. They even ended up in the same collage. They would go home for visits together. Usually William stayed at Riley’s house because his own parents were away on business. As his parents usually were…as they had been for most of the big days and holidays of his life. Riley also had a sister, Buffy. She was four years younger then William and Riley. Coming home to visit during collage he started to see changes in the girl he once knew. It was almost like while he was gone she blossomed a little more from his best friends little sister in to a beautiful and sophisticated young woman. Not that Riley or his sister knew of the change in his feelings. William was always good at hiding his feelings, never letting them out anywhere but on paper. You see on paper he had all the right words the confidence and the wit. But only on paper….


After graduating college Riley joined the military. He’d wanted to join just out of high school but agreed to attended collage first to make his parents happy. After graduation William fallowed his dream to be a writer. Deciding he needed for once in his life to be bold, he decided to turn down his parents’ offer of financial help and do it on his own. He worked as a research assistant one Mr. Rupert Giles, a professor at Stanford College. It was enough to pay the bills and still left room for his writing.


It didn’t take long for him to sell his first book. His novels usually took place long ago in the time a lords and ladies. They were always packed with the right blend of excitement, adventure, and romance. The hero always quick witted and debonair. William was a great writer. His titles would regularly make the Best Seller List. His publisher received bags and bags of fan mail on his behalf. Part of his appeal was the fact he was also a mystery. His book jackets never contained his photo, and he wrote under the pen name, Wesley Wyndham-Pryce. Only a precious few knew who he truly was.


After a while although he still had a good amount of die hard fans his book sales dropped off. As the readers have started turning to more modern based novels. And so began the needling from his publisher to “give the people what they want”


William shied away from such writing because he wasn’t sure he could pull off that world. The time which he wrote about was chosen because the hero was expected to be debonair with a certain amount of decorum, fighting the good fight purely out of conviction and perhaps the love of a good woman. Modern heroes were tough and sarcastic. They had a devil may care attitudes. Your Basic ‘bad boys’ with hearts of gold. And although golden hearted, William hadn’t the first clue of how to be a bad boy. How could he possibly write about a world he knew nothing about?
And so our story begins…..



“I just don’t know Buffy, I want to do it, I guess, I mean a modern character would be interesting, but all the ideas I come up with they don‘t seem right. My publisher is pushing for someone like these action heroes in the movies, Bad asses… I‘m not sure I can pull that off, although my early period characters are considered roguish for the time period they would be considered very strait laced nowadays I can’t write what I don’t understand and a bad ass is something I never learned how to be…” William sighed.

It had been three years since Riley went off to the military, and although at first contact with his best friend was good, it started to get less and less, his letters just basic over views as he wasn’t able to talk much about what he was doing. He’d caught the eye of the right people and had been put in a Special Forces unit. Now it was rare his family heard from him outside the yearly holiday’s letter, much less William receiving anything. Somehow the lack of his best friend in his life had brought him closer to his best friend’s sister. Not that he ever thought they had any chance on any romantic level he was starting to consider her a good friend. Which meant he started to open up to her, finding she was much more receptive to his internal musing then her brother had been. William slumped back in his chair holding his cell phone to his ear.


“Common, Willy I’ve heard stories about you and my brother at college…” Buffy on the other end was kicked back on her bed in her dorm room. Her head hanging off the foot of the bed as her sock covered feet were crossed at the ankles near the head of the bed. She held her cell phone to her ear with her right hand as her left one dangled off the bed.

She ended up going to the same college William worked at as Professor Giles’s research assistant. Which meant her and William stayed in pretty good contact. Although they didn’t hang out or anything, they talked on the phone often, occasionally meeting for coffee on campus.

Although his book sales would allow him to quit his job and write full time, William still worked as a research assistant because he actually enjoyed the work. And secretly gave him a reason to stay near the collage, although he did trade his small apartment that was a half hour drive away for a nicer one just off campus.


“Buffy you know I hate that nickname… If you must shorten my name call me Will…” he preferred William but could live with Will, she’d called him Willy since she hit Jr. High and decided William was just too uncool a name, how Willy was any better was beyond him….

“I told you before I can’t call you Will… I call Willow, Will. It would get confusing….” she sounded pouty but she had a big grin on her face as she said it, knowing he couldn’t see it. She’d started calling him Willy as a joke, figuring he’d just maybe blush and shrug it off like he did with most things that bothered him. But he actually got defensive, after getting over the shock he spoke up she decided she liked the nickname and used it when ever she tried to get him riled up, “now stop changing the subject…”


“I’m not. College… well college was college. And going to a few keggers watching everyone get drunk and disorderly while I sat in the corner writing sipping on a wine cooler does not a bad ass make….” his voice laced with a bitter tone. Quick to cover that bit of insight his tone might have revealed he spoke again his voice controlled again, “Besides, although outgoing, I wouldn’t really classify your brother as a bad boy… He got his work done attended all his classes. And even when he did drink, he didn’t get smashed. And he never engaged in that stupid stuff most of the futurity guys did.”


“Oh, yeah, he’s a saint…” she said dryly. After a few moments she thought out loud, “Well, maybe you can get in the right mind set; I mean it’s not like your all naive or anything. I’m sure there was a time you at least thought about being naughty…” She always felt William could be so cool if he just got a little confidence in himself.

She’d hear him and her brother talk when he didn’t know she was there and his mask he showed the world was off, he was smart and witty and had an insight that most people lacked. Sometimes it annoyed her when her brother would make a witty comment that he’d heard from William. And instead of taking credit for it William would just let Riley bask in the lime light.

She loved her brother and knew he didn’t do it on purpose, but she felt bad for his friend that wanted so desperately to be seen and just didn’t know how to do it. She knew that part of what made him such a great writer was these qualities he hid from the world. Although she would never admit it, she read all his books. She kept them carefully hidden in the false bottom of her trunk. After a few moments she noticed the silence on the other end. “You still there?”


She heard him sigh again, “Yeah, I’m still here….” After the initial shock and blushing at the phrasing of her thought, he realized what she meant to say. He began to think but still didn’t see the solution, “You know how my parents raised me… besides, being friends with your brother is the closest I got to cool, and even he fell way short of being a bad ass… And let‘s face it, your mom would have known if he acted up even that far away from home. Your mom I swear, it’s like she has a built in B.S. detector…”


Buffy smiled at his obvious attempt to change the subject; at least it was obvious to her. She knew he hated talking about himself in the first place. So dwelling on the subject of him was definitely out.


That’s when she got an idea, “Well, maybe you could do a little research. There is a club me and Willow go to. It’s somewhere to start…”


“Buffy, clubs aren’t really my thing….” even in college Riley couldn’t get him to go clubbing. Being dragged to keggers was bad enough without paying $15 to confirm what a looser he was. He wasn’t much of a drinker, and those places were too dark for anything but dancing and making out. Also, he couldn’t dance other then formal. Having learned formal dancing because his mom insisted he take lessons as a kid. Riley had one of his many female admirers try to teach him once. The girl got frustrated every time she tried to get close like was popular in modern dancing he would take a step back. At first it was because he found the situation uncomfortable. But the girl was so annoyingly forward after a while it was just to piss her off, the best part was when she finally had him backed against a wall he stepped down on her foot, not hard enough to hurt her but hard enough for her to give up. Of course he faked innocents, but deep down he was sure Riley knew he was did it on purpose, because he never tried to set something like that up again. Besides, he never stepped on a foot accidentally even when learning formal dancing; he had a natural grace on the dance floor. Too bad no one ever got to see it. Cause even though he had a use for it at family functions like weddings and such he had a knack for blending in to the background. Developed for the strict purpose of avoiding such situations.


“Look, meet us at Bean Scene 8 o’clock Friday. If your not there I will go to your apartment and drag you out!” she said in her ‘I mean business’ voice.


“Ok, ok, I’ll be there….” they chatted a bit longer then hung up. Only then did he drop his head in his hands and wonder what the hell did he just agree to?
Getting Ready by ZLB
Author's Notes:
A/N: The names of the coffee shop and the night club are not mine there are actually such named establishments in RL (if you know these places, layout and locations have been altered to better suite the story)
“You sure about tonight?” Willow’s muffled voice came from the closet where she was trying to find her red satin bodice. “I mean William doesn’t seem to be the clubbing type” thinking of the bookish man that she first met about a year ago and has seen on occasion at the coffee shop with Buffy since. He reminded Willow so much of her when she first started collage three years ago, when she first met Buffy…


Buffy paused from her careful application of makeup. “Everyone has to start somewhere, remember when we first met? You spent more time in the library then any human should… If Xander hadn’t dragged you out every now and then you would have had no life.” Willow popped her head out of the closet long enough to stick her tongue out at Buffy. Then gave her an ‘and your point is’ look. Before returning to her search Buffy laughed, “The point is, look at you now, all dating a band member and everything…. You don’t just sit on the sidelines either like you used to, you’re on the dance floor… You just needed someone to show you the fun… so does William...” she then went back to her make up application.


“Well, didn’t you tell me he did the collage thing with your brother Riley? I mean from what you‘ve told me Riley was big in the having fun department…” finally finding the bodice she was looking for she let a happy sound and quickly went to put it on. After taking a moment in the mirror to make sure it gave off the effect she was hoping for, she then went over to the mirror to do her make up.


“My brother may have been his best friend but there were just some things he was blind to.” She looked herself over happy with the results she moved over to give Willow more room to work. Giving her hair one last look over, “I just know a side of William my brother didn’t understand…” catching Willow’s eye in the mirror, she noticed Willow had stopped applying her makeup and was staring at her with a shocked look. Buffy frowned at her best friend, “What?”


“You… you LIKE him!” she sputtered. And let out a disbelieving laugh. Not that there was anything wrong with William, he just didn’t seem Buffy’s type…


Buffy’s eye grew wide, “I do not! He’s just a friend that needs help. Not even a friend, a friend of my brothers…” but even as she made her denials a slight blush had settled on her face. She spun away and went to get her shoes on.


“Oh… my mistake…” Willow said softly as she looked apologetically at Buffy, but the moment Buffy looked away she indulged in a knowing smile before returning to her makeup. This night promised to be interesting.


~~~~***~~~~


They were looking for parking when Xander spoke up from the back seat. “It’s sure great of Oz to get us in for free… I mean Willow has girlfriend rights but to include the rest of us is pretty awesome of the guy.”


Willow smiled proudly, “Ya, he’s great isn’t he?” Xander and Willow had known each other since Kindergarten. They where best friends all their lives. So when Willow had her choice of any college in the world she chose the one Xander had gotten a sports scholarship, swim team to be exact. Not that he was slacking in the grades department, thanks to Willow’s influence. But without the scholarship he would have never afforded college.


Xander quickly found himself pledging a fraternity. And as frats go did their fair share of partying. In fact, it was at one of these parties Willow met Oz. It had been about a year and a half ago, Xander had invited his best bud Willow and her roommate Buffy. Oz’s band was playing the party that night. Unbeknownst to Willow she’d immediately caught Oz’s attention upon entering. It took a few more random run-ins till he got up the courage to ask her out, and that was as they say that… they have been dating a little over a year now.


“So is their stay at The Lime Light permanent now?” Buffy asked her friend. She’d seen them in action a couple times with Willow now. With The Lime Light being the hottest club in town right now, it was impressive they got to play there in the first place much less have such a long standing gig. That more then anything was a testament to how awesome the band was!


Willow shrugged and ducked her head a bit, “There are talks of a contract with the club. But nothing is definite yet. If they do sign they will also get some recording time and regular play on the local radio station.” All of the people in the car went silent. Local radio play was something major. This was no small town. The local radio station spanned over at least three of the major cities in these parts. One of those cities is one of the biggest in California and known for its vast support of music and the arts. Around here, such things could lead to the big time. The thing was a contract could make or break such an opportunity even if it was the cause of it. So it was no wonder negotiations were still at work.


Then it hit Buffy such things can also lead to some things not so great. She reached over with her free hand and took Willows, giving her a supportive look. Not many couples survived the move to stardom. Willow just smiled to say she was alright even while her eyes said otherwise. She really loved Oz which meant no matter the risk she wanted him to succeed in his dreams…


“Oh My GOD!” the surprised voice of Cordelia Chase Xander’s new girlfriend cut threw the quiet from her seat next to Xander, “Look at that fashion disaster outside the Bean Scene!”


As everyone else in the car turned to look at what Cordelia was talking about Buffy closed her eyes and silently prayed, “Whatever power is listening don’t let it be William!” she slowly turned and looked too. “Someone up there hates me…” she mumbled as her eyes landed on William in a traditional 3 piece tweed suit.


The moment she got out of the car she rushed ahead of everyone else and approached William, “What did you go threw your closet and pick out the absolute worst outfit you could find?! I know you’re not the most stylish dresser in the world but I know you can do better then this…”


He could see she was mad. Part of him knew she would be, “It wasn’t my fault… Professor Giles asked I attend the meeting with him with the research department heads. I didn’t think it would run this long but it did.” and if he’d went home he wouldn’t have made it in time and really didn’t want Buffy showing at his house with her friends to drag him out. Some how he just knew it would not be good. Or maybe deep down he was just scared she wouldn’t really care enough to show up like she said she would. “ If it is that big a deal I’ll just go change and come back” by that time her friends had reached them and he heard a snide comment about his suit in a poorly attempted whisper from the brunette on Buffy’s male friend’s arm. Williams’s eyes fell to the ground. He knew it was a mistake. He didn’t belong here.


Buffy shot Xander a look that said ‘shut her up!’ She wasn’t a big fan of Cordelia to begin with. She put up with the snob for Xander’s sake. At first, Xander had a thing for Buffy when they’d first met 3 years ago, but soon it was obvious that he and the blond made better friends then lovers, well, it was less a realization then an ultimate acceptance of her friend only feelings for him. Xander started dating some of the weirdest string of women. Unfortunatly,the latest was less weird and more, oh how to put it? Bitchy! Xander met her a few weeks ago through one of his fraternity brothers. Although they did nothing but exchange barbs from the moment they saw each other, they were making out by the end of the night. Even now arguing was like some kinda weird mating ritual for them…


Turning back to William she knew if she let him leave now he would not be returning. “Wait here and don’t leave!” she grabbed Willow by the arm and pulled her out of hearing range as she whispered with her for a few minutes. Then they both came back to William. “Come with me” Buffy ordered, while grabbing him by the arm she dragged him with her.


Buffy dragged him over to her car. Willow close behind after promising the others that they would be right back. As they approached her car he got confused, “you don’t have to give me a ride I have my car….”


“Your not going home, we’re gonna fix you here.” opening the trunk “Ok, first take off the jacket….” he looked like he was going to protest so she gave him her resolved look. Sighing he took off his jacket and handed it to her.


“The glasses too…” Willow piped up. Frowning he took off his glasses and handed them to Buffy as well. His eye sight although not perfect wasn’t so bad that he need them all the time. Just mainly when driving and some reading, but he felt awkward without them.


“Ok, the vest next and tie” He followed her instructions.


Willow spoke again, “Un-tuck your shirt and undo your top two buttons.” He shook his head like he couldn’t believe he was doing this.


“Better?” he asked deciding there wasn’t more they could remove, or at least that he would let them remove. Buffy and Willow started critically at him. Buffy reached up and ruffled his neatly brushed back hair. “Hey!” and a sigh was the only protest he offered as they again looked him over. He looked skyward to avoid their intense gazes. Finally he heard Buffy sigh.


“Well, it’s better then before… It will do…” she made sure his things were folded neatly in the trunk his glasses out of harms way before closing it. “So ready to meet the fun?” she said brightly. As her and Willow linked arms and started back towards Bean Scene leaving William to follow reluctantly behind.
Finding The Fun by ZLB
Author's Notes:
The establishment names are real but the location and layouts have been altered for better use in the story.
They met back up with Xander and his girl. He must have said something to her because she didn’t look none too happy with him and he looked rather relived to no longer be alone with her. William got a quick introduction to Cordelia, to which he gave her a polite hello, to which she responded with a cold hi and a toss of her hair. As she turned back to Xander, Willaim bit back a comment on her ice queen attitude. Only to find Buffy elbowing him as they turned to walk towards the club a few doors down from the coffee shop they met at. He gave her a confused look.

“Damn it William, for once will you stop being polite and just say what your thinking!” she growled. As she moved forward out of rebuttal range. She wanted him to insult her friend? And how did she know what he’d been thinking anyway? But all too soon they were at the doors of The Lime Light, the hottest club in town.

Rather then wait in the huge line forming in front Willow went to the employee entrance where a rather large gentleman stood guard. “Hey Max!’ the red head greeted the rather dangerous looking individual.

The off-putting frown on Max’s face melted into a grin, “Hey Willow! Your just in time They go on stage in 5 minutes… Hey Buffy…” he greeted the blond. William found himself taking a protective step towards her. Just because she was Riley’s sister, he told himself. As a voice in the back of his mind called him a liar.

Willow confirmed that she was on the list for back access as well as her friends. They were shuffling inside when all the sudden one of Max’s rather large arms blocked William’s way, “where do you think your going?” he growled.

Luckily Willow noticed and tapped Max gently on the shoulder, “he’s with us… He’s um… Buffy’s cousin from out of town….” Max dropped his arm but gave William a look that said he was damn lucky he was a friend of Willows.


~~~~***~~~~

“Thanks…” he whispered to Willow as the door closed behind him, glad it was too dark for her to see his embarrassment. Obviously it was also Max’s opinion he did not belong here. They had just got here and already William wanted to go home. After giving William a small reassuring smile, Willow hurried over to where the band was chilling just off stage and kissed Oz hello. Afterwards, the others gave Oz a quick hi and a thank you and left Willow to spend a few minutes with her man. Meanwhile, the rest of them made their way out to the clubbing area. At the bar everyone ordered something to drink. The bartender giving William a smirk when he asked for a ice water. William just made a quiet statement about having to drive later, as he quickly picked up his drink and moved to the table the group chose at the edge of the dance floor.

Few minutes later the crowd out front was allowed access and the club quickly filled. The dance floor moved with the music. The band was great. And after a bit William started to relax. It wasn’t too bad. Other then the slight pangs of jealousy he felt watching Buffy occasionally dancing with different guys. He was having an ok time.

Buffy and her friends were once again dancing in a group. Buffy waved to him and as he returned the wave she motioned for him to join them. He shook his head no at first and was about to give in when he noticed Buffy stopped dancing and was looking oddly in his direction. Before he had too much time to wonder why, he felt a soft graceful touch on his shoulder. He turned to look in to the most hypnotizing dark eyes of a raven haired beauty.

Her voice as mysteriously captivating as her eyes, “Do my eyes deceive me? Or have I found me a knight amongst these dragons?” giving him a smile that seemed uniquely sweet as well as predatory, “Tell me Sir knight, What is your name?” She rocked gracefully back n forth as she talked making her somewhat entrancing.

“Wi…William…” he swallowed hard. Never had he had such devout attention of a female, much less one so… captivating. Her hand moved gracefully from his shoulder tracing a soft line to his chest where her fingers lazily played with one of the buttons on his shirt.

“William…” she repeated as her eyes lit up, “Yes, a proper name for a knight…” she let out a little laugh of delight, “Oh, do wait till I tell Mrs. Edith, I said one day I shall find a knight of my very own…” She now reached down and took his hand in hers, “Please Sir William, favor me with a dance…”

He stood up but did not move to the dance floor, “I’m afraid I do not know how… at least not this type of dancing…”

“Of course not…” she gently caressed his cheek. “a knight only dances proper…” she leaned in to his ear, “But perhaps this princess may teach the knight to be a bit naughty…” William’s eyes widened. He was about to pull away when she got a look on her face as though she were a heart broken child, “Oh! Sir William does not like the princess…” she began to wring her hands and back away.

He reached out and grasped her hand, “No… Please don’t be upset. I’m sorry, Of course I’d like to dance with you…” All at once her smile was back and again he was held in the depths of her eyes, as she led him out to the dance floor. Almost as if on command the music changed from a fast to a slow beat perfect for closeness. At first William tried to maintain his distance befitting a gentleman, but this mysterious raven haired beauty would have none of it. Soon she slipped her arms around his neck as she drew him close to her body rubbing and caressing against his. Her hands began to wander his upper body as she seemed to caress him in just the right way. His eyes began to roll up in to his head slightly as he let out a soft moan. He was lost, his mind cut off from the sensations she evoked threw his body.

Before he knew it her mouth covered his and he was lost in her kiss. The world shut off around him and all his senses focused on the woman in front of him. That is until he felt her suddenly jerk away. And something hit his jaw. He didn’t fall but he could taste blood from his swelling lower lip. He looked to see a tall dark haired male standing next to the woman he’d been dancing with, “How could you do this Dru? With that?!” he motioned to William’s direction obviously considering him less then worthy.

“Oh, is my Angelus dear jealous?” she purred. Obviously pleased with herself. “Maybe he should learn to share like princess does when her Angelus goes to play with Darla…”

The guy looked even more pissed, “I told you Darla and I are just friends… All that other stuff is over between us…”

Drusilla looked stubborn, “I know more then my Angelus thinks… The stars, they whisper of your ‘friendliness’ with Darla…” her coy smile returning, “besides, Princess likes her knight…” her eyes swung over to William desire burning deep within them.

But William was no longer hooked, he realized what part he played and it was that of the man to make her boyfriend jealous enough to dump his little bit on the side… “look, I didn’t know…” he didn’t get to finish his sentence when Angelus took another swing at him. But this time he saw it coming and easily ducked out of the way. Lucky for him Riley’s favorite way of staying fit was boxing and other forms of conventional sparing. Riley often insisted William join him at the gym convinced that maybe the testosterone driven activities would give William a little more confidence in himself.

Angelus swung twice more still getting nothing but air as William easily dodged. Growing frustrated, “Gunn, Ben!” Angelus called his friends and William was flanked on either side. This time when he went to dodge Angelus he was grabbed and held by Gunn and Ben.

By this time a crowd had formed Buffy and her friends pushing their way threw, “William!” Buffy cried out his name. hearing the fear in her voice he struggled against the two who held him but his struggling did nothing as Angelus hit him hard in the stomach. Buffy having pushed her way threw the crowd got in Angelus’ face and started calling him every name in the book. To which Angelus knocked her to the ground with a backhand. Time seemed to slow as William saw red. He slammed his foot back into Gunn’s shin yanking his other arm hard enough to free it and elbow Ben in the nose. He then threw himself at Angelus getting in a few good hits till someone come into his line of sight, he turned just as something smashed against his head just above his left eye. His left eye stung as blood ran into it. Holding a hand over the cut, the bouncers finally breaking threw the crowed grabbing him and the other three guys and pulling them towards the fire exit telling them they were banned from the club.


~~~~***~~~~

So now here he was outside, in the alleyway beside the club facing off with three very pissed off guys. “look I didn’t know she was your girl,” William started but was cut off.

“Please, you think I’m jealous of you?” Angelus laughed, “This is just a warning for you not to get attached. She chose you because she knew someone as pathetic as you would be an insult to me.” his friends stood behind him smirking as if confirming his words, “the only action a guy like you could ever hope for from a chick like Dru would be pity access…”

He was a jerk and William knew he shouldn’t listen but still, his words hit a vulnerable spot in William. Not saying another word he just turned away and headed towards his car. He was almost to it when he heard his name being called, Buffy must have made her way out the front and was looking for him, but he didn’t stop he just got into his car and left. He didn’t need to see anyone right now.
Needing Something New by ZLB
Author's Notes:
^_^
Between his lack of glasses and him not able to see out his left eye, it was amazing he made it to the emergency room in one piece. There they removed the piece of glass left in the gash in the outer corner of his left eyebrow. It took a couple stitches to close. They flushed out the blood in his left eye and let him use a wash sink to clean up the dried blood from his face. Now cleaned up from the neck up he drove carefully home. Glad he had a pair of contacts there he saved for special occasions so he wouldn’t have to see Buffy again any time soon. Or so he thought…

~~~~***~~~~

He walked up to the door of his apartment to find the blond in question sitting outside his door. Holding his belongings Her head was bent down as she was asleep. He rolled his eyes and sighed. He unlocked his door as he cleared his throat loudly to wake her up.

After a moment of confusion as to her surroundings, Buffy jumped to her feet and yawned. “you left with out your things…”

He turned on the light and motioned for her to enter. “I know, I had to go to the emergency room.” he pointed to the stitches on the outer corner of his left eyebrow.

She stepped in. waiting till he closed the door before taking a look at his stitches, “Those jerks!” she said heatedly. Her eyes fell to the blood stains on his shirt, she shook her head, “I swear if I ever see that guy again…” she moved further in to the apartment placing his things on his coffee table. Then she stood there for a moment, obviously she had more to say. William moved further inside as well. Suddenly she looked at him sharply, “And you! How could you go and get in a fist fight with a jerk like that?”

“ME?!” he looked at her like she’d lost her mind, “Hello, I was the victim here… he attacked me… I was just defending myself…” how could she blame him for what happened?

“Well, you WERE all over his girl…” something flashed in her eyes as she said that but was gone before he could read what it was.

“First off I wasn’t all over her, SHE was all over me and second how the hell was I supposed to know she had a boyfriend?” he found himself starting to get steamed, not something he felt often, especially towards Buffy…

“Oh, come on… Just looking at her… she had to be…” Buffy stopped knowing she was going to say something wrong.

Something clicked in his head, now he knew why she was blaming him, “What? She had to be what Buffy? Using me… a woman like that could ONLY be interested in me as a way to make her guy mad? Is that it?!” his anger and hurt rising with each word he spoke.

Buffy didn’t say anything for a moment but the guilty look in her eyes said it all. He was right, that was what she was going to say, but she didn’t mean it like he was thinking, did she? “Look William, I just meant…”

“you know what Buffy? Right now I’m not that interested in what you meant… I think you need to go home…” the hurt evident in his voice.

“William…I..”

He was no longer looking at her and his voice was firm and even, “I don’t want to talk anymore, thank you for my things… go home Buffy… “ he still would not look at her as she stood there, “Please…” he said softly. With tears in her eyes that he didn’t see, she turned and left. Only once he heard the tell tale click of the door did he look over at the spot she once occupied. And with tears in his own eyes he walked back in to his room.

~~~~***~~~~


The next day William was at his laptop typing like mad. He decided he needed to start his new book. That would help him greatly not to think about the past events. Deciding he would just do the best he could with what he already had, if it bombed oh well, every writer has had at least one book flop, right? He started to think about the main character. Maybe first deciding where he was from would help. So like he did with many of his characters he threw a dart at a map. He looked and the dart landed on England. That shouldn’t be too hard seeing as his own father was English, He remembered occasional trips to his father’s family estate in England, when there was some sort of family function going on, wedding, funeral… or whatever. Those being the only times when he would travel with his parents, as his presents was mandatory for such family functions, still is. His Father’s family was of the upper crest not too many bad boys, no that would be too undignified.

But then he remembered his cousin. It was awhile ago. William strained to bring the memory forth. William was thirteen attending his aunts 2nd wedding with his parents. His other aunt had made her son attend, but soon it was obvious she wished she hadn’t.

He was considered the black sheep of the family. He showed dressed in tight black jeans and what looked like a dirty torn t-shirt that was held together by safety pins. Over which he wore a heavy leather jacket and on his feet scuffed and muddy heavy work boots. He had multi colored stiff three inch spiked hair, and an earring. He arrived riding a motorcycle. From minute one he was sarcastic and loud. His expressions ranged from sneer to smirk. William’s parents forbid him to interact with his cousin, but William couldn’t help but be fascinated by the older cooler kid.

William sat back in his chair as he remembered the kid who at the time was at least six years his senior. The smirk, the attitude, and what was it his cousin insisted on being called? …Spike! That was it… Spike. William remembered the older boy going on about how uptight society was and how he lived by his own rules. William smiled, tes maybe that was what he was looking for. That same attitude his cousin shown all so long ago. William never saw him after that. William began typing again.

But as he typed he started to wonder if that could be him. Maybe not that extreme, but something similar. Wondering, could he ever have the courage to go against everything that he was taught to be and do as he pleased? He laughed as he imagined himself in head to toe leather, with a chain laden biker jacket. Buffy would probably choke on something to see him like that.

His typing stopped. He remembered their argument the night before. As well as the comments of others that night. Why did he find it so hard to go outside the lines? He spent so much time censoring himself he never found the time to ever just let go. And who was his timidness making happy? Certainly not him…

Determination coursed through him as he stood up, telling himself, “In the words of Spike…Why bloody hell not?” he grabbed a small black case out of his top drawer, then grabbed his jacket and keys and left…
Finding The Look by ZLB
Author's Notes:
(The establishment names were made up by my brother and me [except for “The Gap”], so if there is truly shops by these names it is purely coincidental )
He didn’t know exactly were to begin his little journey. But he figured the mall was a good place to start. He wandered around but nothing seemed right, the main focus of fashion seemed too tame in most of the shops. He was about to give up when he stopped in front of one shop called Skulls of Imps. It was dimly lit but he could see from the front window displays this was what he was looking for.

In fact he knew it was what he was looking for when he stepped inside and was greeted by a tall male dressed the same leather clad style as his cousin had been with the same belittling smirk. “ok, you turn right and go down 4 shops big sign can’t miss it…”

“Excuse me?” William asked, looking very confused.

“You were about to ask me where you can find The Gap right?…You turn..” he looked beyond bored with this conversation already…

“uh, no…” William cut him off, “I’m actually here to buy some new clothes.” the male raised his eyebrow in disbelief, “I’m looking for… well…” he looked down at his own clothes and shrugged, “Something not this…”

“Nothing we have here is …that…” he still looking at William like he was going to tell him this was some kinda lame prank. Then when no such thing happened he gave a deep sigh like he was about to take on a monumental task and moved to the nearest display, “First you need to start with the proper base….” he eyed William a moment then grabbed a pair of black jeans, and a black form fitting T-Shirt. “put these on in there…” he pointed to the changing room which was pretty much a wooden box with a curtain for a door.

William stepped out after changing, the sales person looked him over critically, “Loose the glasses…” William quickly removed his glasses as the sales person circled him. Stopping and pulling a blood red silk shirt from a hanger, “put this on over it…Don’t button it” he threw in as William started to do so. He then walked over to a display of heavy black leather work boots. “What size?” William told him he grabbed the proper size and tossed them to William, “Put those on too…”

After William was done he handed him a thick black leather belt, “put this on and tuck in the under shirt. He then nodded, “now do something with that hair and you’ll look half way decent…” William looked himself over in the mirror, he didn’t recognize himself from the neck down, but that was the point right? “Now would you like me to ring those up for you, or were we just playing dress up?” from the tone of his voice it sounded like this wouldn’t be the first time someone did that.

William tore his gaze from the mirror, “oh, definitely ring me up.” If this works out he will certainly be back. But this was good for now. After ringing up the clothes, and removing the tags the sales clerk suggested he wear them out of the store and burn his other clothes. To which William did wear the clothes right off but instead of burning his old ones he just had the sales clerk drop them in a bag for him. The clerk commenting if anyone saw this bag and looked inside they’d be ruined.

Spike took it to his car and put it in the trunk. He drove a 1959 DeSoto Sportsman in Starlight Black. He’d had it since high school. And although he could easily afford something newer he couldn’t part with his first car. But it is in better condition now that he could pay for professionals to fix it. He decided he didn’t need his glasses till he was going to leave, so he put them in their case and in his jacket pocket. Placing his jacket gently in the bag with his clothes. Closing the trunk, he decided, to take the clerk’s advice and do something about his hair.

He walked up to one salon and looked around, this place wasn’t exactly male friendly. Smelled of perfume and the decor was definitely feminine. He backed out. He saw a few more similar salons. He thought of going to his normal barber, but somehow he doubted he would find what he was looking for there. Finally he came across a salon with the neon sign Complete Overhaul. Under the store name was a smaller light up sign that announced piercing and tattoos also available. One of the stylist had bright blue hair and studs in his nose and eyebrows, to go with the whole line of them in his ears. William stepped inside.

The male stylist was working on shaving a rather intricate pattern in the customer’s hair. He paused at the sound of the door, “What ya lookin for? Hair is here, piercing and tattoos are up those stairs…” he said nodding towards the dimly lit stairs in the corner of the salon.

“I’m here for hair…” he didn’t get anything out passed that before the guy was yelling towards the back of the salon.

“Faith, you got a customer…So put out that damn cancer stick and get your ass out here…” he then returned to his work, leaving William to just awkwardly stand there waiting for this Faith person to show.

The brunette stepped out from the back. She was wearing tight leather pants and a black halter top that barely covered the necessary areas. Her dark brown hair fell around her shoulders. Her body was well toned and curvy at just the right places. Oh, she was definitely hot, or would be if she didn’t have the look on her face that was somewhere between boredom and threatening. “sit…” she barked at William, who did just that. “What do you want? I do cuts, dies, and weaves, You want fading or pattern work that’s Max’s territory and you’ll have to wait…” she said nodding to the blue haired man who without taking his eyes off his work smirked like he really doubted William was the fade type…

William ignored the man’s smirk, “I’m not sure what I’m looking for, I want different, something that goes with these clothes…” he sat there as she looked him over. Then nodded.

For the next hour he was at her mercy. He heard clipping and saw his locks fall away. Then she applied this really bad smelling stuff to his hair and told him to let it sit a bit. The whole time he waited, thinking maybe he should have been more specific. He didn’t want to end up with hair like the male stylist…

Soon enough she was washing the bad smelling stuff out and drying his hair not saying a word the whole time, while the male stylist next to them seemed to be a ease chatting with his clients. Her silence was making him edgy and anxious but he held still and just waited, telling himself for better or worse it would be over soon. Finally she was done as she finished combing some gel threw his hair. “Ok, done…” she sounded bored. Although she watched him closely for his reaction.

He turned and looked. She had cut off the excess length and bleached his hair. She then had it slicked back against his scull with gel. At first his eyes grew wide from shock. But then when he stood up and took a step closer to the mirror taking it in with his clothes even the stitches on the outside corner of his left eyebrow, it looked… right. His shocked expression slowly faded as he tilted his head a bit. Then one side of his mouth lifted in to a smirk. Which removed the last trace of William. He paid the woman giving her a huge tip besides.

He was walking the strip of shops when heard some woman comment on the “hottie” without turning his head he looked out the side of his eyes, to see a blond checking him out. So many emotions ran threw him, ending with panic as she walked up to him. “Hey” she spoke, “My names Harmony…”

He turned and looked at the blond trying his damdest not to show the nervousness that he felt, so he took a deep breath and smiled, “Hello Harmony…My name is…”

“William?!” he turned at the sound of his name to come face to face with the last person he wanted to see, Cordelia Chase.

“you know him?” Harmony asked Cordelia. Looking a bit confused as her friend did a remarkable imitation of a fish…

“I…I… Ya, he’s that friend of Buffy’s I told you about… But…” she shook her head trying to grasp the fact the guy her and Harmony had been checking out from behind the last ten minutes was the same fashion disaster she met the other night.

Harmony looked really confused now, “But you said he dressed like a nerd. That not even his mother could have dressed him worse…” she tipped her head in typical dumb blond fashion, “Funny he looks pretty hot to me…” she flashed him a flirty smile.

But William was barely noticing the blond right now. As Cordelia seemed to have finally processed the new information and was now looking him over with a critical eye. “you know it will take more then just changing your clothes to be up to her standards…”

“Whose standards?” he asked a hint of nervousness in his voice.

Cordelia rolled her eyes, “Please, she maybe blind but I’m not… You totally have a thing for Buffy…”

“I do not!” he denied cursing the blush rising across his cheeks. “This has nothing to do with Buffy, I decided it was time for a change…”

Now Cordelia smirked, “Ya, right. The only reason a guy decides it’s time for a change is if it’s gonna get him a girl or money, and unless your gonna get a job as a stripper or a bartender at a biker bar, I don’t see how this look will help you get money, but… getting the attention of one Miss. Buffy Summers on the other hand….”

Harmony who seemed to barely be keeping up, looked hurt, “You like Buffy? Why? She’s so…” Harmony scrunched up her face as she tried to comprehend a guy wanting Buffy over her.

“Look I don’t know what you think you know about me, I’m doing this for me and no one else. I’m tired of…” he just threw up his hands and turned to walk away, wondering why the hell he was trying to explain himself to her in the first place. So he left the two girls, not noticing Cordelia flipping open her cell phone the moment he was out of ear shot. Going to his car he opened up the trunk to retrieve his glasses from his coat. but the he paused.

Instead he reached for the black case he’d taken from his drawer. He opened it up it was his contact kit. He put in his contacts instead. While waiting till his eyes adjusted to the contacts being in, he closed up the case and closed his trunk. He was now ready to go…. But where?

He sat behind the wheel thinking. He then started it up. He was just driving around no particular destination when he looked over at a shop window and saw it. Quickly pulling over he walked over to the shop. It was black, leather, and perfect! He walked in to the shop and was greeted by a well toned male in his late forties. He was wearing faded jeans and a leather vest over a white T-shirt. He smiled as William admired the leather duster he had on display in the window. “She’s a beauty aint she?” William nodded. “She was a custom job. The guy never came back for her though… Because of that she is a little more pricey then the rest of my stuff…”

William didn’t care. This jacket called to him. He looked at the lining. Inside was a couple pockets one containing a Silver Flask. He pulled it out and looked at it. It had a picture etched on the face of an open scroll and a feather pen writing out the words True Poetry. He wasn’t a drinker but the flask brought a smile to his face.

“The flask is included, It was part of the custom job…” William smiled and nodded as he slipped the flask back in to the custom made pocket. “So what do you think?”

“I’ll take it…” he removed the jacket from the display and walked over and handed the man his credit card. As the shop owner rung him up, His eyes dropped on a flyer that was pinned up by the register. It was for a local bar called The Lair. He noted the address and wore the jacket out of the store. He loved the way it flared as he walked, it made him feel powerful, manly, bad…..

Jumping back in to his car he headed towards the bar he saw on the flyer. As he was pulling around back where the parking was located his cell phone rang. He flipped it open without looking at the caller ID. “Hello?”

“What the hell is going on?!” a very irritated voice answered back.

“Buffy?”

“Yes, Buffy! What the hell is this I hear from Cordelia you’ve become a biker look alike?”

He frowned as he parked the car, “Gee I’m surprised her Royal Bitchness found the state of my wardrobe worth her precious gossiping time.” Whoa where did that come from? Did he say that out loud?

All the sudden her voice was soft, “Is this about what happened at the club?” Damn her! He didn’t want her to sound understanding, cause then he had no defense against her.

“No… yes… maybe… I don’t know Buffy, It’s a little to do with last night but not really. I…I ….I don’t know how to say this…” how ironic a writer who doesn’t have the words to describe his situation. “I’m doing this for me… and whether you understand it or not, I need this…”

There was silence at the other end. For a moment he thought he lost the signal, but a quick glance at his phone shown he had full bars, finally she spoke, “Still not fair…” she said in a pouty voice, “How come Cordelia gets to see your new look and I don’t….” he smiled at her antics. Knowing full well it was her way of relenting without actually saying so.

“Well, I wasn’t like I sought out her fashion advice, believe me… One of her friends approached me and she just happen to recognize me from the other night…” he still wasn’t sure how she recognized him when he barley recognized himself.

“Approached you?…. Like hit on you?….Who?!” if he didn’t know better he would have thought she sounded a bit jealous. He quickly dismissed the thought as wishful thinking.

“Some blond, I think her name was like Melody or something,” he’d been too nervous at being approached by her in the first place then when Cordelia made her presence known well the blond dropped of his radar completely.

“Harmony?! That…” she didn’t continue.

Raising an eyebrow at her reaction, “ya that’s it…”

Her voice soft again almost unsure, “What did you tell her?”

He frowned this conversation was definitely taking a weird turn, “Nothing really, I got into an argument with Cordelia and then left…. I don’t think I even said goodbye…” he shrugged.

“Don’t feel bad, Harmony would have been lost at the first big word you used…” she seemed a bit chipper. “So what did you and Cordy fight about?”

Everything he’d been thinking went out the window as Cordelia’s words echoed in his head, he swallowed hard, “n-n-n-nothing really… she just made some dumb comment about my change in appearance and I tried to set her strait but figured it was useless so I left….” he was so glad they were on the phone and she couldn’t see him blushing something fierce.

“what did she say?”

“Look, I don’t remember I was mad, stuff was said, can we just leave it at that?” he didn’t mean to sound harsh but there was no way in hell he was repeating that little conversation.

“Fine.” she paused again, “Can I see you? I swear I won’t be all judgy an stuff…Please?!”

He thought about it. He really wanted to have more of a test run before she saw him. But what the hell… it’s not like she was around the corner, if she met him here, he would have the time he needed to prepare himself. “Uh, if you want I’m at a bar called The Lair.” he gave her the address and some quick directions. Then after they said their goodbyes, flipped the phone closed.

Locking up his car he made his way around to the front entrance. He’d been distracted by thoughts of what he imagined Buffy’s reaction would be, he didn’t notice the car tearing into the parking lot. Not till he heard the screech of breaks just before it hit him.
Enter Spike by ZLB
Author's Notes:
It's been awhile. Sorry for that but I'm back with a wonderful new beta, Big thanks to Dramionelurver for rounding off my rough edges!
‘Head…pain….throbbing…pain….pounding…pain…. Bloody Hell!’

The car had slowed down enough so that William had just bounced off its hood, but he still fell to the ground, head hitting the concrete with a sickening smack.

Slowly, he opened his eyes, his head in incredible pain. The owner of the car was out looking down at him. “Man, I’m so sorry. Are you all right?!”

He forced himself to his feet, his eyes narrowing on the driver. His hand shot out and grabbed the guy by his throat, pinning him to his car.

“You almost bloody well killed me, you stupid git!” he growled, leaning in on the man as he tightened his grip on the man’s throat. “I swear if I ever see your bloody face again, I’ll rip your soddin' spine out threw yer bleedin' nose hole. Ya got that?!” He then pulled the guy away from his car and threw him to the ground. The guy quickly scrambled away form him.

Rolling his shoulders and stretching his neck, he walked into the bar. He patted down his pockets, searching, searching...

“Bloody hell…” he grumbled, walking over to the cigarette machine. He bought a pack of Morley and then settled at the bar. “Ya don’t happen to have some matches, do ya mate?” he asked the bartender, who dropped some in front of him. Lighting up a cigarette, he took a deep drag. His lungs burned and constricted in protest as he choked back the smoke, commanding his lungs to cooperate. After a few more forced attempts, his lungs seemed to give in and allow the smoke inside even though the burn remained. He ordered a whiskey and was about to take a drink when a pair of hands glided around him.

“My knight returns… but his armor looks a bit tarnished…” He turned to look at the raven hair beauty.

He raised an eyebrow at the woman. “I ain’t no bloody knight, luv, but I can guarantee that if you stick around me, you’ll need protection.” His eyes flashed with double meaning.

She giggled. “Oh, William is a naughty boy!” She growled and made a biting motion in his direction.

“William? I ain't no William, do look like a bleedin' ponce to you? Name's Spike, luv.” He smirked at her. Woman was sack of hammers, but damn she was sexy. He grabbed her around the waist and pulled her to him. Her arm circled around his waist as she made a noise that sounded almost like a purr as she nuzzled close.

Then he felt a heavy hand on his shoulder. He turned to see a large, dark-haired male frowning down at him. “Watch the leather, mate…” Spike’s voice filled with a warning undertone.

“I think you should be more concerned with the fact you have your arms around my girl,” the tall brooding figure grounded out.

Spike lifted an eyebrow, clearly unimpressed with the guy’s threatening tones. “More like your girl’s got her arms around me, Peaches…” He flashed a taunting grin at the guy before making a show of turning away and nuzzling back on the girl in question.

Angelus frowned at being brushed off. He pulled Drusilla away from the bleached blond and turned to grab the guy just as he slipped off the bar stool out of Angelus’ reach.

“Hey, don’t take it out on me if you can’t keep your girl happy,” Spike taunted, wearing an anger-inducing smirk.

Angelus let out a roar as he took a swing at Spike, who easily dodged the hit.
With each missed swing, Angelus got even more furious and Spike's smirk got cockier. Angelus finally landed one that snapped Spike's head back, splitting his lip, but did not knock him down. Tilting his head a bit, he poked the cut with his tongue. At the taste of his own blood, what could only be described as an evil grin crossed his face. “My turn, mate…”

He let loose with a furry of punches, one busting Angelus’ lip, another his nose. Grabbing him, Spike went for the kidneys, then the stomach. As he bent over, Spike rammed his knee into Angelus’ ribs.

With Angelus a pile of pain on the ground, the Bartender took the opportunity to say something. “Uh, guys, take that outside or I’m gonna have to call the cops….” He stopped talking as Spike gave him a deadly look. When Spike looked back, Drusilla was bent over Angel, making cooing noises as she tried to help him up. Spike rolled his eyes. He didn’t need some crazed bint anyway…

He swaggered back to the bar and shot down his whisky. The burn felt good to him. Between the liquid running down his throat and being juiced up from the fight, he felt alive. He looked over at the door as Angelus and his crazed girl left. He smirked, about to call out a biting comment to the departing couple, when she walked in. The two women’s eyes met as they passed. Recognition etched on both their faces quickly turned to frowns. After the brunette disappeared through the door with The Great Forehead, the blonde then looked about the bar with worry etched across her pretty face.

Her eyes glided over Spike at first, but then she stopped, frowned, and her eyes swung back to him again. As recognition downed in her eyes, they widened, her jaw dropping in surprise. Spike, who had been watching her through the mirror behind the bar, frowned. Now what?

The blonde ran up to him and she threw her arms around him as he turned to meet her. At first he was shocked, but then thought, ‘What the hell? How many beautiful blonds just throw themselves in to your arms?’

So, he relaxed and was about to return the hug when she pulled away. Looking him over, her eyes landed on his lip. “I knew it! I knew when I saw that slut leaving with that stupid jerk there was another fight!” She then looked a bit confused. “Although I must admit I expected you to be in a slightly worse condition….”

This girl was getting more and more confusing with every word. It sure didn't help that she talked like they were friends and he couldn’t for the life of him place her face. She looked a little too innocent compared to the kind of chicks he usually hung out with.

“You know that poofer?” he asked, referring to the idiot he just wiped the floor with.

“Poofer?” She frowned, then he nodded towards the door. Then she finally understood. “That jerk? No, I just remember him and his skank from The Lime Light. When she hit on you the first time to make her boyfriend jealous.”

Now it was his turn to be confused again. “First time? Lime Light?” He looked down at her. “I doubt we hang at the same places, pet…”

Buffy frowned. “What’s going on, William? What’s with the accent? You're acting like you don’t even know me…”

All the sudden he looked like he gained some understanding. “Sorry, luv, my name's Spike. I guess I must be a dead ringer for this William bloke, but he’s not me. You got the wrong guy, pet.” He ordered another whiskey like the conversation was over.

She seemed to sit there and considered the possibility that he could be someone else, but decided that he most definitely was not; this was William, was he acting a part maybe, but it was still him. Well, that was stupid and childish. “I don’t know what kind of reaction you're looking for, but I’m not playing…”

As his whiskey arrived he looked over at her with a bored expression on his face. “Look, luv, I don’t bloody know who the hell you think I am. But I don’t bloody well know you or this ponce, William.” He rested a hand on her hip as he slid a seductive smirk across his face. “Now if you’d like to get to know me…”

She wiggled out of his grip as she faced him stubbornly. “You know my name is Buffy!”

He cocked an eyebrow as his smirk turned more condescending. “Figures, you look like a Buffy…” He knew his words would get a rise out of her, but he obviously didn’t care.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean? I don’t know what game you're playing, WILLIAM, but I’m not playing, WILLIAM!” she yelled, emphasizing his name to drive her point home.

All at once, the look on Spike’s face went from amused to irritated. He grabbed her by her upper arms and held her firmly as he looked her menacingly in the eyes. “Listen, you silly bint! I’m not this Bloody William you think I am… Name's, Spike, learn it, remember it, fear it!” He then released her and turned back to the bar, lighting a cigarette.

Holding back the burning response of his lungs as he slowly exhaled, he refused to cough in front of her. Instead, he threw back his whisky, replacing one burn for another. He hated the hurt he saw in her eyes as he set her straight. Great… she was off her rocker and he felt guilty, when did he turn in to such a nancy-boy?

A cold feeling settled over her. William would never treat her like that, no matter how mad he was at her. She knew this much. Something was wrong. What happened to him? Maybe he hit his head in the fight with that stupid jerk. “Will…Spike?” She softly touched his upper arm. He turned just enough to look at her out of the side of his eye, keeping the majority of his face turned from her. “I don’t know what happened…”

How was she supposed to find out what happened? Questioning him further might just upset him more. And although she trusted William with her life, she didn’t know what Spike was capable of.

Then she got an idea. “Okay, I must have the wrong guy. I mean, I can’t see how, but just for my own piece of mind, can I at least see you driver’s license? I mean, then I’ll know for sure that I got the wrong guy.” She hoped this worked and he didn’t just blow her off. If this was William, he was in need of medical attention.

Spike sighed. Now what was this silly bint up to? He still felt a little guilty for loosing his cool on her, otherwise he would have just blown her off. He got up off the bar stool and patted own his packets, finding the tell-tale lump in his front left pocket. He pulled out his wallet. Flipping it open, his eyes landed on the driver’s license.

“What the bloody hell?!” he yelled. Pulling out credit cards and staff ID, they all had the same name: William Pratt. He picked up the driver’s license, and again the picture showed a guy who was the embodiment of the name William. He looked bookish and reserved with those bloody glasses.
His mind would not accept this, it had to be a trick, somehow someone switched his wallet. He stuffed the cards back inside and shoved it at the blonde next to him. “Funny joke, but I’m not bloody playin'. So take your tricks and give me back my wallet, then you can go sod off…”

“No joke, I swear! When would I have time to slip you a wallet, much less take yours?’ He looked unsure so she pushed forward. “Think, did you hit your head in the fight?”

“Hell, no, I didn’t soddin' hit my…..” He paused as if remembering something.

“Bloody hell…” he whispered. No, things like that just don’t happen. Did they? He looked stricken, then his eyes locked with hers as his face went unreadable. “Say I believe you, what do you plan on me doing about it?”
Her face went from worried to compassionate. “I know you feel freaked, I would, too. But if what I think happened did... well, you're going to need to see a doctor…”

He thought about that. A doctor would solve this little mystery. “Fine, but I choose the doctor.” He slipped off the stool as her face brightened into a smile. It was worth a trip to the doctor to see that smile. She seemed to glow. Spike fought the urge to pull her close into a deep kiss. Figuring she might not appreciate the gesture -- obviously this William guy and her were just friends. Then, remembering the picture, he thought to himself, ‘Definitely no way that guy was anything more than a friend. Too bad…’
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=29703