A Study in Blue by LoobyLoo
Summary: William Giles, A fine artist finds himself increasingly fascinated by a girl who eats her lunch opposite his gallery every day.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 57752 Read: 35025 Published: 02/13/2009 Updated: 05/16/2009

1. Chapter 1 by LoobyLoo

2. Chapter 2 by LoobyLoo

3. chapter 3 by LoobyLoo

4. Chapter 4 by LoobyLoo

5. Chapter 5 by LoobyLoo

6. Chapter 6 by LoobyLoo

7. Chapter 7 by LoobyLoo

8. Chapter 8 by LoobyLoo

9. Chapter 9 by LoobyLoo

10. Chapter 10 by LoobyLoo

11. Chapter 11 by LoobyLoo

12. Chapter 12 by LoobyLoo

13. Chapter 13 by LoobyLoo

14. Chapter 14 by LoobyLoo

15. Chapter 15 by LoobyLoo

16. Chapter 16 by LoobyLoo

17. Chapter 17 by LoobyLoo

18. Chapter 18 by LoobyLoo

19. Chapter 19 by LoobyLoo

20. Chapter 20 by LoobyLoo

21. Chapter 21 by LoobyLoo

22. Chapter 22 by LoobyLoo

23. Chapter 23 by LoobyLoo

24. Chapter 24 by LoobyLoo

25. Chapter 25 by LoobyLoo

26. Chapter 26 by LoobyLoo

Chapter 1 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
This is for Tammy - who's waited so patiently!!
A Study in Blue By LoobyLoo
NC17 (eventually)
Disclaimer: No infringement of copyright intended, characters belong to Joss Whedon, Kazui bros etc



And there she was! At 12.10 exactly, the beautiful blonde girl sat on the bench opposite and opened her lunch box. She ate delicately, dipping back into the box, occasionally throwing a morsel to the pigeons that gathered around her feet, pecking away at the ground demanding you feel sorry for them and share your lunch.

William picked up his A3 sketch pad, sat sideways on one of the leather chairs in the gallery window and with a few deft strokes of his pencil he began to capture the scene opposite, as he’d done dozens of times before this last few months. He wondered now the cooler weather was coming how much longer she would be eating outside. He felt at peace when he saw her, when she was there, like he could breathe, the anticipation, the almost knotting in his stomach that she might not turn up, or meet somebody or have somebody sit with her – it was almost unbearable………

“Hmm, sorry, what?” he was aware that Xander, the gallery assistant had spoken, but not what he said.

“I said, she’s there again” Xander said, standing behind the reception desk of the gallery looking at the scene that William was sketching.

“Hmm” Was the only response he got from his boss. Xander smiled to himself, his boss had really got it bad for the girl, and he didn’t even know her name.

She’d finished eating a little while ago and had sat nursing a can of soda, which she raised to her lips for the final time, draining the last few dregs left, then she stood, brushed the crumbs from her front, placed the empty wrappers and can in the waste bin and she turned to walk back up the alleyway between the National Bank and Southerby’s Auction House.

William sighed and flipped the cover of the sketch pad, he then slotted it in his leather portfolio case and shoved the pencil behind his ear.

The telephone rang and Xander answered it. It was obviously a personal call for him as after the formal,’ Good Afternoon, Giles’ Fine Art Gallery’, he then continued, oh hi honey……………just a minute, I’ll ask…’Xander then held the receiver to his chest and called out to William

“Any idea what time we will be finishing tonight?”

“Finishing? – Why - what? Five thir – oh yes, um, no, I mean, oh sorry! Of course, (he rubbed his face with his hand) we’re displaying the Mayan Art Collection aren’t we – um…eight-ish do you need to get away earlier?”

Xander reiterated the information to his wife and listened for a few seconds, then asked William

“If I could get away for a quarter to eight, it’s parent’s evening at Hailey’s school” William nodded and Xander smiled

“Sure honey, I’ll see you there then, ‘bout eight, okay bye”.

“Look, it’s Wednesday afternoon and quiet, shall I go downstairs and start unpacking the collection?” Xander suggested

William sat in the chair behind the reception desk moodily swaying slowly from left to right, his mind wandering……

“Er no…we can’t really, we need some pillars up here to put the glass cases on, and I don’t want anything broken.

We need to remove the Bryson collection and wrap it for storage until he comes for it next week”

“Well, I could start that now if you like, we’ve only sold three pictures from the whole collection, they’re all numbered on the back, I’ll wrap and store them on the trolly rack in numerical order just in case somebody comes in wanting to look at one, but I doubt it very much”

William nodded in agreement and Xander went to fetch a huge roll of industrial strength bubble-wrap and some sticky tape.

They shut after a very quiet afternoon at 5.30pm, a few telephone enquiries and two customers, one to buy a catalogue of up and coming exhibitions, and one to buy a small watercolour.

By twenty past seven, William carefully placed the last glass case over a Mayan Sun God, and locked it into place. He looked at his watch, aware that Xander had been mindful of the time.

“You get going if you like, I know you’ve got your parents evening at the school”

“Thanks Will…see you in the morning”

William turned the lights off and set the alarm and went home himself, after stopping off for take-away Chinese.

ooOOoo

He woke with a start, his foot catching the coffee table. He leant forward quickly and grabbed a bottle to prevent it tipping over onto the left-over Chinese food. The television was ‘snow’ – long finished and he looked at his watch, 1.53am. Sitting up properly, he rubbed his face, yawned and stretched, he then pointed the remote at the TV to shut it off. He’d been dreaming of the blonde girl, again. She’d begun to invade his dreams three nights ago, so now not only were most of his waking thoughts of her, but he was now dreaming of her too! They were playing Frisbee on the beach, she was laughing, her head thrown back, even white teeth on display, her legs tanned golden………

“Oh for goodness sake William me old lad…get a grip!” William muttered to himself and stood up, then going to bed.

The alarm went off and William smacked the top of the clock into silence. He bounded out of bed, pleased to see the bright sunshine. He quickly showered and rummaged through his wardrobe to find a clean shirt. He dressed went into the lounge. He put the leftover take away in the fridge and put the two beer bottles for recycling. He decided to get breakfast on the way in to work, he’d got a plan.

William drew up in the underground parking lot and clutching a box with two lattes and two apricot Danish, he went to the elevator that opened up to the back of the gallery.

He let himself in, sorted the alarm code and went into the little kitchenette and put his purchases down. He was just reaching for a plate when the door opened and Xander walked in.

“Bought you breakfast” Will said with a grin

“Thanks! I missed it at home today, Hailey got into a panic about something her teacher said to us, and didn’t want to go to school today – so I had to take her!” William nodded towards the latte and the paper bag

“Help yourself, I’ll be in the office making some calls”

“Sure thing boss!” Xander fell on the Danish and bit deeply, savouring the rich sweet confection.
End Notes:
Let me know what you think so far........
Chapter 2 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Again, this is for Tammy
Chapter 2

The morning passed quickly enough, plenty of phone calls and paperwork to do. The lady from the Guatemalan Art History Department arrived and was shown to a small table where she could give out leaflets and information on the artists work displayed and to take orders.

Ever watchful of the time, the slight clenching of William’s stomach wasn’t so much he was hungry, it was that he would see Her soon. He’d tried to name her but couldn’t. What if he found out her real name and didn’t like it, then by accident he called her by the name he’d given her, and she’d think he was thinking of somebody else! Which was ridiculous…doubly ridiculous as he couldn’t even pluck up the courage to go over and talk to her, let alone call her by the wrong name.

“Oh no!” William muttered as looked outside towards the bench for the umpteenth time that morning.

“What’s wrong?”

“Huh – oh nothing, I um, I forgot to make a phone call is all” William lied, turning away from the window, rubbing the back of his neck.

Looking outside, Xander could immediately see the problem, a very pregnant lady had sat herself down on THE bench, she also had a toddler in tow, who had clambered up beside her. Xander looked at the clock, it was 12.03.

“I’ve told Mrs Gonzales that I’d man her table for her if she wanted to pop out for lunch” Xander said

William muttered that that was okay.

He looked up out of the window again and saw Her walking down the alley way and he immediately began to relax he reached for his sketchpad and sat down. After exchanging a few words with the woman, the blonde sat herself down, she was smiling. The toddler held something up in his hand for her to see and she said something to him that made them all laugh – she was so beautiful when she laughed William thought. She was so beautiful at any given time, but when she laughed, her whole body came alive…

The toddler wriggled beside his mother and squirmed his way off the bench seat. His mother sat up and leaned over to her bag on the floor and fished out a small carton of drink, which she pierced with a straw and held for her son to drink. He sucked lustily at the straw and laughed as some pigeons pecked around his feet. Laughing he ran through them, arms waving in the air causing them to flutter and raise like a grey and white cloud. The blonde flinched slightly and turned her head to the side, she covered her food box with her hand. Checking her watch the pregnant woman stood and again she exchanged words with the blonde. She waved to the little boy who waved back.

Having finished eating, the girl threw the crusts to the birds and cracked open her can of soda. William’s fingers were as fast as lightening, flying over the page trying to get the light and shade right, the angle of her head, the way she held the can, the way she sat back, tilting her face upwards slightly to catch a few rays of the sun on her golden skin.

William was suddenly aware that it had gone dark. He looked up to see his view blocked by continental coach.

“What – you stupid…stupid move will you!” he muttered as he looked at his watch, it had just gone ten to one – she would be gone soon. The coach didn’t move. In fact it opened its doors and people began to spill out.

“No, no…this isn’t a stopping zone, can’t you read – f’goodness sake!” Several horns began to blow, and William put down his sketchpad on the seat next to him and stood up, going to the door of the gallery. He called across the sidewalk,

“Excuse…ex….EXCUSE ME – you can’t stop…oh for god’s sake listen! He marched up to the coach, and standing in the doorway he said

“You’ll have to move, you can’t stop here!” he was pushed unceremoniously out of the way by a large smiling woman nodding to him

“Um, escusi – pliss?” The driver half smiled half frowned at him

“GO! Um no stopping…you must go – go!” William tried to make a pushing forward motion with his hands the driver shook his head as if he didn’t understand. He began to mutter, trying to recall what tiny bit of Spanish he knew

“NO STOP…GO! um…no detener………parar…er prohibir!” William tried hopefully. The coach driver still frown/smiling nodded and did nothing. More car horns had joined in bibbing now and William heard the whoop-whoop of a police car siren in the distance………

As soon as everybody had been disgorged onto the sidewalk, the driver slammed the coach door shut and roared off. William immediately looked at the bench, but she’d gone. He felt deflated and raw, he turned to go into the gallery, and much to his annoyance, so had half the people from the coach………

ooOOoo

By 3.30, the last of the Peruvian coach travellers had left the gallery, having practically cleaned them out of postcards, information booklets and catalogues.

Suddenly, William remembered his sketchbook, and looked across to where he’d been sitting. It was no where to be seen.

Xander saw this and decided not to play with the boss’ emotions.

“This what your looking for?” Xander took out the sketchpad from the reception desk drawer. William let out a sigh of relief – not that he’d admit it though!

“What – no, but thanks anyway” William could feel the colour creeping up his neck as he spoke; he took the pad and went to put it away in his leather portfolio case.

“They’re really rather good you know”

“What?” William asked frowning, pretending to sort through some papers.

“The sketches of that girl, they’re really good!”

William muttered something that Xander didn’t quite catch, but he smiled. Any other time, about anybody else and Xander would have risked a little gentle ribbing of his boss, but he had a care that there was something serious in William’s feelings for the blonde, he was obsessed with her, like he only lived for the 50 minutes each weekday he saw her. God knows what it was going to be like if she ever stopped taking her lunch on that bench………

The telephone rang and William was glad of the distraction.

“Giles’ Fine Art Gallery………speaking, I’m William Giles the proprietor of the establishment, how may I help you?”


Xander made himself look at the computer, he’d re-order some more catalogues and such from the printers as they were nearly out.

“Yes, we do put of exhibitions of other people’s work………well, usually we work on a percentage basis on either how many pieces we sell or the final sale amount, which ever is greater…………yes that is the usual practice with most galleries………………no, I doubt that very much…I mean just rental space, no, sorry it wouldn’t be financially viable……………yes, we have a 1000 square yards of displaying walls and or cases on the first floor, and there is a further 750 square yards of space on the second floor galleria………sure, I could pop you one of our catalogues in the post, there is a floor plan on the back page of the main gallery and the galleria, I’ll just take you details……………”

William began to write

“So I’ll just read that back to you, For the Attention of Miss Cordelia Chase, 1177 Madison Heights, Merrydale, CA 82321..okay got that Miss Chase, I’ll pop one in the post for you tonight, goodbye” William put the phone down

“You’d better get onto the printers Xander, order some more – oh good” Xander tapped the computer monitor and William saw that he was already onto it.

“Send one to her would you….want a coffee?” William handed Xander the piece of paper with the name and address on it and made his way to the back of the gallery to the kitchenette.

“Yeah, love some” Xander replied.

ooOOoo


William lay looking at his bedroom ceiling. Today, he thought, today…I will pluck up the courage and go and speak to her. We could chat about the weather – which is a typical British thing to do…hopefully she will comment on me being British…or English as I prefer to be referred to…I could ask her where she worked…what she did… has she got anybody special in her life…another thought suddenly seized him and he frowned – sat up and said out loud

“Oh no, dear god no!” What if………what if she was…was already married! He bounded out of bed and into the shower, as if to cleanse himself of such thoughts.

While cleaning his teeth William looked in the mirror, mouth foaming, he pointed his toothbrush at the mirror and said out loud,

“You mate, have got to get a grip! You don’t know the girl, most likely never bloody will know her unless you grab the bull by the horns and go and bloody well talk to her! What was it his old Professor Brewer used to say to them in prep school – Carpe Deum! Seize the Day!” He rinsed and spat, and then rinsed the sink.

He heard the 8am news headlines begin on the radio…He switched it off and made for the door.

Carrying his latte and blueberry muffins, William made his way to the Gallery back entrance and let himself in. He sorted the alarm code and opened up the double locks.

He was early, silly really, it meant time would drag until lunchtime………but then he had some time to think, what to say to Her,

“Hi – mind if I sit here? – No, what if she said yes, she DID mind, she wanted her lunch in peace? – Right…Hi, I see you here every day, well every weekday that is, eating your lunch…I can’t say that - I sound like a bloody stalker! – Afternoon…lovely weather – oh GOD! – Bloody weather hardly changes…Hello! – I

“Hello!” William nearly jumped out of his skin

“Who are you talking to? Xander asked closing the door behind him.

“Nobody, well myself, I mean I was practicing for…you know”

Xander hung up his jacket and turned and faced his rather flush-faced boss

“No, tell me”

“You know…for when we have the um, the media here for that exhibition”

“Which one is that then…oh is that a spare muffin?”

William slid the bag across to Xander and stood

“Got to check some emails!” William left the kitchenette and made his way to the office.

Xander smiled to himself, he’d been standing out side for a good minute listening to his boss ramble, boy had he got it bad for that girl. He also knew the agonies William was going through, when he’d first met Anya, his now wife she’d been with somebody else, he’d been totally smitten by her and thought that she was well out of his league, but eventually one night, and three bottles of Coors inside him for Dutch courage, he’d managed to ask her to the Spring Dance. As soon as she’d said yes, he had to run to the gents and thrown up, his stomach had been so knotted!

Wanting to ‘help’ without being intrusive, Xander had spoken to Anya and told her of William’s plight. He’d sworn her to secrecy of course, sometimes they used to invite William for Sunday lunch, and Anya always used to go on about how he should get himself a girlfriend………

“Why doesn’t he just go over and say, you sit here everyday, why not come into the gallery and spend some money!”

Anya suggested, in her usual, forthright manner

“He can’t do that!” Xander said exasperated

“Why not, seems simple enough to me!” Anya said

“He wants to be subtle, do things right…you know…” Xander held his arms out and shrugged. His wife gave him a withering look, she believed that subtlety was for wimps – come out and say what you mean, and mean what you say!

Anya despaired of these men!

ooOOoo

“Good morning, Giles’ Fine Art Weather – Gallery, sorry Fine Art Gallery!” William closed his eyes and shook his head. It was clear to Xander where his boss’ mind was…

“Here, shall I?” Xander held out his hand and William gratefully put the receiver into it.

“Hi darling!”

“Anya!”

“Was that…”

“Yup”

“Oh dear………for goodness sake tell him not to talk about the weather!!”

“N-no? Oh…why not?” Xander asked quietly

“Because it’s boring – look, I’m coming over!”

“NO! I mean what for – is it really necessary – I don’t want you to do anything………”

“Well, do you want my help or not?” Anya asked forthrightly

“Well, remember what I said about subtlety?”

“And do you remember what I said about wimp-ish men being a turn off?” Anya reminded him

“Um...uh huh…but we’re not talking about me, he’s…he’s a sensitive soul!” Xander pleaded

”Oh poor widdle Willy, can get a date!” Anya sing-songed

“Anyway, you can’t come – I just remembered!” Xander said, thinking on his feet.

“Why not?”

“You’ve got to wait in for the delivery guy”

“Why – what delivery guy?”

“Because I’ve um…I’ve got a part coming for the er…the um”

“Spit it out will you, the um what?”

“Computer!!” Xander said

“You never said at breakfast!”

“I forgot!”

“Hmm…Xander Harris, if I stop in and nothing comes, you’re in so much trouble – if all you’re doing is stopping me coming to sort this thing out with the girl, I’ll - !”

“I’m not! (he lied!) I won’t be – they’ll come, they promised”

“Anyway, what’s wrong with the computer, I’ve been doing the accounts on it this morning and it’s fine!”

“There’s nothing wrong with it! It’s just an add on bit”

“Hmm okay…but remember what I’ve said!”

“I know, I know! If nothing comes, I’m in trouble”

“Okay Pookey…bye”

“Bye honey-lamb” Xander put the phone down

“Er, mind if I make a personal call Will?”

“Help yourself”

Xander phoned Computers Inc, and ordered a dongle. It was $9.95 in the catalogue and he asked for it to be couriered to his address.

“But sir, that’s $3 a mile charge within a ten mile radius…it means it’ll cost you $24 for the four mile round courier trip”

“Yes, I can do the math, thank you!”

“But it’s more than double the cost of the item!”

“I know – but I want it this afternoon, and I’m willing to pay – now it has to be signed for, doesn’t it?”

“No sir…items under $20 are insurance free, and it’s small enough to put through the letter box”

“No, no, no, I WANT it to be signed for, I NEED it to be signed for, can’t you put it in a big box!”

“Is this a wind-up?”

“Look…forget it okay just forget it!” Xander slammed the phone down.

“God….can’t GIVE money away to some people…”

He picked up the phone thinking that one day he and William would laugh over this, his trying to keep Anya out of the equation for now…but how much it was going to cost him…

“Hello, Forget-Me-Nots?”

“That’s us, how can I help you?”

“Um…how much does it cost for a bunch of flowers to be delivered?”

“Well sir, that depends on what flowers………………”

Xander came out of the office five minutes later having spent $40 on a bouquet of flowers for his lady wife on a spurious and made up ‘anniversary’ – he’d tell Anya it was the first time they’d made out or something………boy this non-existent ‘romance’ of William’s certainly cost him!
End Notes:
Don't forget to let me know what you think
chapter 3 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Stick with it - it'll be worth it i promise!
Chapter 3

He couldn’t sit still. It was 11.35 now, and every passing minute seemed to be going agonisingly slow. William had felt cheated yesterday. It was only a couple of minutes, but they still counted! An elderly couple sat on the bench at a quarter to, and if William’s stare had been lasers, they would have been done to a crisp! By 12.05, he couldn’t keep a limb still, and when 12.10 actually came and went and she wasn’t there, Xander thought that William was going to have a heart attack.

When there was still no sign of her by 12.15, William just KNEW she wasn’t coming. AND it was Friday, that meant an extra day on top of the two agonising weekend days when he didn’t see her anyway………and then another terrifying thought hit him, what it…OMG – What if she wasn’t there on Monday?

Sheer will power alone should have made the girl be there, William’s will-power, should have made it she was glued to that bench seat!.

The phone ringing interrupted his thoughts

Xander answered it and was immediately deafened by his wife’s shrieking and whooping with delight. He held the receiver out at arms length and could still hear her.

“Ow! Hahaha… so you like them baby, hmm?”

“Oh pookey! They’re SO beautiful…fancy you remembering something like that, how romantic!”

“Well – huh huh, you know…I um…I thought I’d surprise you!”

“And here’s me thinking you didn’t want me in town talking to William, all that nonsense about a computer part!”

“Well…I er I had to tell you something, I’m sorry I lied about the computer part, am I forgiven?”

“Oh yes, I’ll tell you how much you’re forgiven, Willow’s going to have Hailey tonight, and I’ll cook you your favourite dinner…and then, well I’ll leave the rest to your imagination!”

Xander had a big silly grin on his face, but it soon fell when he looked at his boss. Poor Will, he looked devastated.

He ended the call from his wife and went over to the window and stood next to his boss.

“Never mind, she’ll be there Monday, you’ll see” he went to pat William’s shoulder, but without acknowledging what Xander had just said to him, William moved to the centre of the floor

“I’ve been thinking, a change around I think…I’m letting things get stale and samey – I was thinking of putting the reception desk over there…and moving the leather chairs here, and then we could put a pillar in the window with a piece of art work on it”

Xander nodded in agreement.

“Yeah…he continued nodding and said, yes, I like that idea, it would open the window up more and it would show people that it’s not just about paintings here”

“Exactly!”

“So…want to start now – Friday afternoon isn’t usually very busy, I could get the chairs moved and a pillar up here in a jiffy”

“No, no it’s okay Xander…you get off home………sounds as if you’re on a promise!” William was smiling now, although it didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“Don’t be silly!”

“Go on – go home to that lovely wife of yours…it’s not often you get the chance to have some time alone together is it?”

“If you’re sure………look, Will, I’m sorry that she-“

“Might even buy some paint…refresh the walls, I’ll see” William said turning away from his assistant, he didn’t want any sympathy…he couldn’t handle it at that precise moment.

Xander nodded and understood

“Right then…won’t know the old place by Monday huh! I’ll just get my coat- bye then, have a great weekend”

“You too”


ooOOoo


When Xander got to work on Monday morning the first thing that he saw were several large empty paint tins stacked outside the back door entrance.

He went in and called out, William came out of the office – and what a sight he was. He’d got paint-splashed dungarees on, with streaks of paint on his face and in his hair.

“Goodness….looks like you’ve been busy!”

“Uh huh…come and have a look see what you think” William said, wiping his hands on a cloth leading the way to the main gallery floor.

“Wow!” Xander’s eyes popped!

“Mind the de-humidifiers…they’re helping to dry the paint – well helped, it is dry now – so do you like the colour?”

Carefully stepping around the drying machines Xander looked in wonder at the sheer amount of work that William had done

Everywhere looked so light and clean - the top half of the Hessian clad walls had been painted a pale coffee/mushroomy sort of colour the manufacturers called ‘Hint of Taupe’, and the bottom half of the walls had been painted ivory.

“It looks fabulous!” Xander said grinning doing a slow complete 360 degree turn.

“Really – I wasn’t sure at first” William said, pleased at Xander’s reaction

“Honestly – my god it looks huge now!! Where have you put the reception desk?” Xander asked walking further into the gallery

“Right by the door, I thought people looking in would be able to see that there are leaflets and such for them to take, and I’ve put the leather chairs in a semi circle in the window, with a pillar in between them. I can’t make up my mind whether to put that chunk of stone with the hieroglyphics on it, or a painting”

“I love it! – Yeah…it’s great!”

“So which do you think I should put on the pillar?”

“Well…start with the stone, we could change it from week to week”

William raised his brows and nodded smiling

“Yeah! Now mind if I shoot off home, I need a bath some clean clothes and I’ll being in lunch, okay!”

“Fine – you go, tell me have you been here ALL weekend?”

“Yup…only went out to buy the paint and stuff – how was your weekend, (William’s grin broadened) or shouldn’t I ask?!!”

“There are some things…a man doesn’t discuss!” Xander said he too was grinning, and then he added,

“Mind you, Anya wanted to know what suddenly made me buy her flowers” As soon as he said it, Xander wanted to bite his tongue, of course he couldn’t tell William the real reason!

“But um, but she deserved them for putting up with me so…anyway you scoot I’ll be fine”

William nodded and left

“Phew…that was close Xander be careful what you say!” he muttered to himself and went to the office.

ooOOoo


“The Art World Magazine”
Cover Stories

‘Controversial Artist has exhibit binned by accident’ – see page 3
Lerner Prize judges announced – page 8
Blind Artist Suzanne Church gives her first interview since winning the Schwartz Prize – page 17
Randulph Floyd’s War Photo’s not art – discussion with Blake Petersen and the photographer – page 23
X-rays show that some ‘Old Masters’ were not completely painted by the artists – page 36

Xander had sorted the mail, and put the Art World magazine in the office for William to read.

William was showered and scrubbed, and now manly fragrant, and had bought lunch and was back at the gallery by 11.25am.

“Busy?” William asked coming in through the front door

“Actually no, BUT, there’s somebody coming to see you this afternoon about the seascape painting”

“Which one?”

“The BIG one, Smuggler’s” Xander said grinning.

William smiled and said,

“Well…it would be nice if we could shift it…I was going to reduce the price” William said

“Don’t you dare! I told the guy that there was somebody else interested in it too – don’t drop the price now, he’ll know I was lying!”

“I’ll just into the office and eat this, I’m starving, I’ll relieve you at noon” William said making his way to the office

“Your magazine’s come, I put it on the desk for you” Xander called and William raised his arm and gave a thumb’s up.

Biting into his sandwich William had to put his lunch down as he started to laugh.

“What a PRAT!” he’d been reading the leading article on how the (and this is how the media described him) ‘Enfant Terrible’ of the Art world, Angel Stebson had had an exhibit accidentally thrown away at the Saxo Gallery in London. The ‘exhibit’ had been a battered green tin waste paper basket, a bag full of rubbish and a broom that had seen better days.

“Serves the prat right! It isn’t art!” William muttered to himself with glee.

The telephone gave an internal buzz and Will picked up

“Yup?”

“Em, sorry Will, that guy, the one about the seascape, I told him to come this afternoon, but he’s here now and told me he’s got a work-related meeting this afternoon, can you erm…”

William looked at the clock, (it was 11.50 – should be able to pull a deal in twenty minutes!) he put his magazine down and stood up brushing crumbs off himself.

“Be right there” he said and put the phone down.

Walking into the gallery William saw the man standing at the reception desk.

“I’m sorry about this, it’s just I’m flying home the weekend and er well I um…” the man started apologetically

“It’s quite alright, I’m William Giles” William held out his hand.

“Golly, the artist himself eh, I AM honoured!” he shook the proffered hand and said,

“ Wyndham-Price – Wesley Wyndham Price that is” William smiled

“I understand from my assistant here that you are interested in the seascape”

“The view from Smuggler’s Cove to Hartland Point in Cornwall, yes, very much so”

“I see”

“You haven’t sold it already have you – oh please say you haven’t – your assistant told me that there was somebody else interested in it, and-“

“Calm yourself, we haven’t sold it, just put a green sticker on it, it means not to sell for the time being”

“Good…you see I’m flying back to England on Saturday and It’s my dear mother’s birthday - um, do you take American Express?” he fished out a black card

“We certainly do – Xander, if you would please” William handed Xander the card who took out the charge card machine and put in receipt ticket, swiped the machine over the card and got the man to sign.

While he was busy ripping out the flimsy copies and the gallery receipt, William asked where the painting was to be delivered.

“Oh, I’d like to take it with me now, if possible, I’ve a taxi waiting”

Xander went to fetch the bubble-wrap, after returning the card and giving Mr Wyndham Price the receipts.

While Xander secured the picture for transit, the man told William how his mother originally came from Cornwall in England and how they’d spent many a holiday at the little cottage half way up the mountainside that William had painted in the picture. As soon as the last piece of tape was in place, Xander handed over the picture and the man shook hands with them both and was gone. William looked at the clock, not bad timing either – 12.02pm.

“Well, can’t be bad, just gone noon and already we have a $150,000 sale under our belts!” William said, rubbing his hands.

“Great…er are you going to go and finish your lunch now?”

“No, you carry on, if it gets busy, I’ll give you a shout!” Xander smiled and went to the office.

At twelve twenty, Xander could contain his curiosity no longer and went into the gallery. William wasn’t sitting in one of the leather seats, he was seated at the reception desk. He would still be able to see the bench from there, Xander had checked. Only thing was, the girl wasn’t there.

Xander’s heart went out to his boss; he could see the disappointment written all over his face.

“Sorry…I need a –a pen” Xander took one out of the pot and went back to the office. He sat there thinking, there must be something he could do – William was such a nice man, he deserved to be happy………

At twelve thirty, Xander came back into the gallery. William was moodily flipping a leaflet.

“Would you mind if I go out the back...I didn’t get a coffee earlier and I’m in need of caffeine – there’s a magazine article I want to finish too”

“Sure thing boss!”

By sheer chance, Xander happened to look up from the desk to the bench outside, it was 12.50 and who should be walking up to it was the blonde girl, but instead of carrying a lunchbox, she had several designer shopping bags. Xander jumped up and shouted-

“WILLIAM! WILLIAM!” William came dashing out of the office

“God what is it – is the place on fire?!”

“No-no sorry I um…I was thinking…does er…does it um, it look like the windows are d-dirty to you?”

“Wha-dirty…the, the windows?” William frowned, his heart was beating fast, the way Xander had shouted he thought he was being held up…and then he looked outside and his heart skipped a beat and his stomach back-flipped – she was there!!!

“OH! The windows…let me see!”

Xander muttered something about a cloth and went out the back.

The girl only stayed long enough to drink a can of soda, but to William it was enough – at least he’d seen her, he felt easier now. He wished he had the courage to go out there and chat to her, about her purchases, what they were for, to give him a private little fashion show…but his feet were like lead. He’d never been any good with girls. A geeky teenager, all unruly curls and glasses, he’d been painfully shy and he’d fumbled through puberty without so much as getting to second base. When he was 19, he’d lost his virginity to a nude life model called Drusilla, who’d quickly dropped him for the ‘Bad boy’ of art, Angel Stebson. William messed with the piece of stone on the pillar but kept an eye on the bench. When she stood, William looked up. He caught the girl’s eye as she went to throw her soda can away, and she smiled at him. A split second, her lips parted and her cheeks rounded; she then turned away and walked off up the alleyway between the bank and the auction house.

She’d smiled at him! A split second, but she’d looked up and their eyes met for a split second, and she’s smiled at him!

ooOOoo


When Xander came back just over five minutes later saying he couldn’t find a cloth without paint on it, he thought that William would be in despair as she’d stayed less than ten minutes, but seemed like for the rest of the afternoon William was grinning like a loon and acting like a kid on a sugar-high! It took a lot of will-power not to grab Xander and dance around the gallery shouting ‘she smiled at me she actually SMILED – at little old ME!’

“Must have been a trick of the light” Xander said

“What’s that then?”

“The way the window looked dirty!” Xander said

“Oh that, yeah must of” William agreed.
End Notes:
Let me know what you think
Chapter 4 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 4

William pulled down the blinds and locked the front door

“Hey, did you read that article about Stebson – he had a piece of so-called work dumped!!”

“Oh yes, I saw something…what an idiot! Mind you it’s where it belongs – in the dumpster!” Xander said

“The trouble is, when you’ve got rock-stars like Rack Kidson, and people with more money than sense like Prince Azzeera who’ll buy just about any old tat, he gets away with it” William said, setting the burglar alarm.

Walking through the underground parking lot together Xander and William said goodbye and made for their respective homes.

When he got home, William took out his sketch pad and began to draw the girls face from memory. He knew every curve of her cheek, the funny cute bump on her nose, the rosebud lips, the tumbling blonde hair………


ooOOoo

The Lincoln Building, Belgrade and 7th, Manhattan


“Angel, you want me to book this venue in LA then?” Cordelia asked her boss. Angel was idly sorting through the already sorted for him pile of mail.

“Which one is it?” he asked tossing down an invite to a book launch, and picking up a catalogue

“Giles Fine Art – it’s the biggest venue in LA, as regards floor space – for galleries anyway”

“Hmm, Giles huh…used to know a guy at Art School called Giles…William Giles”

“That’s him!” Cordelia said, looking at her computer monitor, she began to type.

“Hmm, he’s got a gallery has he…I’m surprised he sent you this knowing it’s for me…” Angel waved the floor plan and booking leaflet

“He doesn’t, yet, I got him to send to my home address in California, I bought it with me”

“So…he must be doing well for himse – CORDELIA – What’s this?!”

Angel waved the Art World Magazine under her nose.

“Ah, that um…I don’t know how it got out, it must have been the gallery that tipped the press”

“Advertising their own incompetence huh…oh well, it’s all publicity I suppose” he threw the offending magazine down

Angel’s mobile trilled and he fished it out of his pocket

“Rack – you old SOB – how are you doing………uh huh…when, tonight – could do, could do yeah………have you now, interesting………so how many at this party hmm – hahaha – just you and me huh………AND some ladies from the House of Aphrodite huh… sounds like my kinda party, count me in!”

“Angel!” Cordelia warned quietly, rolling her eyes

“Hold on…hold on Rack, Little Miss Tightly-Wound is trying to warn me here!” Angel said grinning. Cordelia could hear Rack laughing

She gave Angel a filthy look and continued typing – she didn’t know why she put up with him.

“Hoo woo! If looks could kill – hahaha yeah…okay great, I wanted an early night too – coz if I’m not in bed by 7.30pm, then I’m starting without you!” Angel ended the call; he still had a big grin on his face.

“When are you going to grow up?” Cordelia asked sitting back in her chair

“And when are you going to stop acting like my mother!” Angel parried

“What – you wish!”

“Well, my ‘moral guardian’ then – I’m a big boy now Cordy, I can look after myself.”

“You get yourself into scrapes and situations, the media have a field day, and-“

“And, AND? Don’t you understand, it’s ALL publicity!” Angel stood from perching on the end of her desk and faced her.

“Yes, BAD publicity!” Cordelia reasoned

“And has it done me any harm? Hell, I get papped coming out of the Chameleon Rooms at 3.30 in the morning, and next thing Prince Azzeera is on the phone wanting to buy my latest piece for ‘X’ million – all to the good, AND it pays your wages, so stop fucking moaning, s’not what I pay you for”

Cordelia clicked the cursor on ‘close’ and her monitor went off. She stood up and hitched her bag on her shoulder and said,

“Just remember where you are Angel, New Yorkers take their art seriously – you have an opening of an exhibiton tomorrow afternoon, is it really wise to go and get wasted the night before?”

“Told you, I’m a big boy now!” Angel said moving in close. Cordelia backed away from him invading her personal space and said,

“One of these days Angel, you’ll come to your senses, either that or the public will, and you’ll be left with nothing”

Angel frowned and thought, ‘what could she mean?’…but he said nothing and watched her leave.

He picked up the leaflet form the William Giles Fine Art Gallery and looked at the floor plan.

“Okay, Angel’s coming to town…hehe, you won’t know what’s fucking hit you” And with that, he put the leaflet down and left the building.

ooOOoo


The next day, Xander and William were going through the mail………


“Okay nearly done ……… there’s this one, Book launch, the invites’ from the publishers, Vayber and Deane, ‘Art History of the Victorian Era’” Xander asked

William frowned who’s it by?”

“Um, guy called Charles Gunn”

“Never heard of him…the invites from the publishers did you say – where is it?”

“Yup, from the publishers, and it’s at The Book Cellar in Montroy”

William screwed up his nose and shook his head saying,

“No, decline, I hate those things, standing around sipping warm sauvignon waiting for the author, who turns up for two minutes to be whisked off again without so much of a glimpse of them – so, is that it?”

“Er no…I’ve been saving this till last”

“Save the best till last then?” William said with a grin, and then he saw Xander’s face

“Come on then, out with it…letter from the IRS is it, the tax men want their pound of flesh do they?”

“No, nothing like that, we’ve had this come” Xander passed William a booking form

“Oh yes, I remember, from that woman what’s-her-name – from last week”

“Cordelia Chase” William put the form on the desk again

“That’s her! So when does she want the gallery, and for and how long?”

“Um, it’s not exactly her…two weeks, all the space available, premium rate”

William rubbed his hands and was grinning with glee

“So what’s the problem?”

“It’s for um…Stebson, Angel Stebson” Xander said flatly. Suddenly looking horrified, William snatched up the booking form and scrutinised it.

“Well, no way. I’m not having his…his rubbish cluttering up MY gallery, and that’s that!” William said

“But Will-“

“Don’t try and change my mind Xander, I can’t stand the bloke, his so called ‘art’ or his moral-less lifestyle! Did you see the front of the Herald yesterday, did you- he fell out of one of those trendy nightclubs, punched a photographer, threw up on the sidewalk and then told them to ‘let it dry and sell it to the Cobra Gallery as they’ll buy any old S.H.I.T of his!”

Xander had to smile at the way William spelt out the word shit!

“No! I won’t have my morals compromised for $1000 a day while his, his stuff is in here!”

“Ahem…Will…not $1000 a day…I told them $10,000 a day. Anya thought it a good idea too”

“She, you…how much?” William asked confused, his arm still in the air from his earlier rant

“Ten THOUSAND a day…Anya said it’ll cover your tax bill, and it’ll let him know this isn’t some little gallery – think of the publicity”

“But I don’t want…”

“Come on Will – where’s your sense of adventure, everybody needs publicity!”

“Not the bad kind HE produces we don’t!”

“Well you tell Anya then…coz I’m not that brave! Xander said smiling, William frowned.


ooOOoo

“Hey babe, it’s me!” He was trying for deep and rumbley, got croaky at best

“Sorry, who’s this?” the blonde girl asked, looking in the hall mirror checking her make-up, it was 7.55am

“It’s me, Angel!”

“Angel? – Oh………what do you want at this time of the morning?”

“Well that’s nice! I phone you up, to see how you are, and –“

“And Bullshit. What do you want Angel, I need to get to work, some of us do do that you know, work for a living

“Hey I work!”

“You roll naked in paint over canvasses and sell it to people with more money that sense – I’d hardly call that work!”

Angel’s smile left him, there was no sweet-talking this one, unless…

“You still live in Sunnydale don’t you?”

“Yes”

“Do me a favour”

“Why should I?”

“Because you love me?”

“Pfft!”

Angel frowned and rolled his eyes

“Okay like me then”

“Not even warm!”

“Well, want to do something out of the goodness of your heart for m-“

“Look, Angel, it’s three minutes to eight, if I don’t leave in three minutes, I’ll hit traffic at Parkway, and-“

“Well shut up and listen!”

“Charming!”

“BUFFY! I’ll book you into The Tudor Grange Spa Club for a weekend”

Buffy’s brows rose with interest, she said

“Make it a week and I’ll listen”

“Good girl!”

“I only said I’d listen, not that I’ll do what you want” Angel rolled his eyes, this was tougher than he thought it was going to be, had he pissed her off at sometime – most probably………

“Do you know a gallery by where you work, it’s called…hold on where’s the form………it’s called the William Giles Fine Art Gallery?”

“Yeah, I know it, what of it?”

“Only that’s where I’m holding my next exhibition”

“Really, I thought it looked a classy place too”

“HEY!” Angel said indignantly

“Time’s running out here Angel, that’s the eight o’clock news I can hear!”

“Go in the gallery, and see if there’s a geeky looking guy with almost Afro hair and glasses”

“And how am I supposed to do that?”

“Well use your imagination, go in, ask them opening times or something and look around”

“And then what?”

“And if there is, let me know”

“How?”

“Phone me”

“I don’t have your number anymore”

“You don’t?” Buffy was pleased he sounded almost hurt at that!

“Look, just leave your number to the message machine here, I’ve got to go, bye”

“Okay bye then Buffy and tha-(CLUNK – beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep) well thanks!” Angel looked at the receiver and put it down…he must have either REALLY pissed her off at one time or he was losing his touch…



ooOOoo

“Just went off mid call…I managed to phone them back, but it’s because the phone jack is very stretched” Xander explained to his boss William nodded and got down on the floor

“I’ll just get under the desk and…hold on, let me lift the mat here…that’s got it…oh the wire is stretched hang on let me…”

The gallery door opened and Xander eye’s popped

“Good morning I wondered if you could help me…”

“Cer, um cert certainly!” Xander stuttered

“Ow! Ow! Xander stop kicking…almost got – XANDER will you stop kicking me I almost (THUMP) Ow! Bloody hell I almost had it then and you…you – (an irate William with his hand on his head rubbing the bump glared at his assistant who was staring straight ahead) William followed his gaze and his eyes popped too!

“It’s you!”

The blonde giggled and said

“Ow, I bet that hurt!”

“Um, er, well, uh huh…”

“Can you help me – what are your opening times here?”

“Times? – Um er well er, times…um leaflet? Leaflet Xander?”

Xander scrabbled around the desk for one and held it out to William

The blonde reached over and plucked it out of his hand.

“Thankyou – oh by the way, is the manager around?

“Um er, der, er that’s um…that’s me!” William quickly stood, held out his hand, withdrew it just as the blonde went to shake it

“Um…floor…sorry hands a bit dirty…he wiped it on his trousers, held it out again. This time she shook it and they both felt a tingle run up their arm

“I’m um, I’m William Giles, the owner and this is my assistant Xander Harris”

The blonde smiled

“I’m Buffy, Buffy Summers…pleased to meet you…um, how’s your head – I’ve got some Advil somewhere if you’d like” she dropped the shoulder strap and went to go into her bag

“I’ll be OW!” William patted the lump, it was the size of an egg!

“Let me look – ooh!” Buffy winced and put her bag down on the desk, found the Advil, popped two out of the blister pack and said to Xander

“Get him some water, please?”

Xander hared off

“I’d leave it all to your assistant this afternoon and go rest, that’s a nasty lump” Cool fingers fluttered by his brow

William smiled, he couldn’t think of what to say, he was mesmerised…

Buffy looked into the bluest of blue eyes she’d ever seen and a zing ran up and down her spine making her shiver
All too quickly Xander came back with the water, William took the two tablets and put the empty glass down on the desk.

“Thanks”

“Well, I better be off – thanks for (she held up the leaflet) and she was gone

“Oh Goooooooooooodddddddddddddddddddddddddd!” William closed his eyes and groaned

“What did you say to her while I was gone, I took my time getting the water!” Xander said expectantly looking at his boss

“Nothing – she must think me a stupid stuttering moron! – Oh god why me huh, why me!”

William not only had a headache, he was so angry with himself acting the way he did, after all, she was just a girl! Who was he kidding – she was the most beautiful girl in the world to him…and she touched him and he knew her name…
Chapter 5 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 5

“Will he want me to help out at the exhibition as usual?” Anya asked her husband. She was ironing, Xander was watching TV, or rather trying to!

“I suppose so, he hasn’t said any different” Xander said without looking away from the screen.

“And the books, does he still want me to audit them as usual?”

“Yeah, well he hasn’t said anything different…why?” He dipped into his snacks packet again

“Because I was thinking, I should have a raise” Anya said, folding a tee shirt.

This made Xander look at his wife.

“Raise? – He pays you the going rate – and he’s very generous with me as regards a percentage if I make a sale, like that Seascape the other day, he did the sale really but he still gave me 2% bonus”

“That’s you, this is me. I hostess, and I audit the books. A proper accountant would charge him far more than- “

“Okay, okay…but if he says no, then “

“Then I won’t help him with this girl trouble he’s got!”

“OH! About her!” Xander put his bag of snacks down and turned sideways on the sofa

“Go on?”

“She came in and he spoke to her!”

“Good………so?” Anya looked at her husband expectantly

“What?” Xander asked

“What did he say, where are they going where’s he going to take her, hmm?”

“Take her? - I don’t follow”

“The date, I presume he asked her out, on a date, you know where two people go out to a movie or dinner or something, so where’s is he-“ Anya attacked another shirt with a cloud of steam from the iron.

“Oh he didn’t ask her out”

“Why not?”

“Because the time was kinda not right…he was on the floor, under the desk, I had to kick him several times to get his attention, and then when I DID get it, he banged his head on the desk”

Anya frowned

“He was on the, huh?”

“Floor” Xander crunched a snack

“What was he doing on the floor?”

“It was…sorry (he brushed the crumbs from his front) the phone, the thingy had come out of the back of the phone and cut me off, so he got down to look at it and she walked in, wanting to know the opening times of the gallery…then he banged his head, but then, get this, she goes into her bag and gets out some Advil for him, I fetch him some water and he takes the tablets and she shakes his hand exchange names and then she leaves”

“He let her leave, after she – he just – oh god, you men – hopeless!”

“It wasn’t his fault!” Xander said spraying crumbs everywhere

“Do you mind, I’ve already vacuumed in here once today!”

“Sorry!” Xander looked sheepish and Anya rolled her eyes

“Like I said…useless! – So what’s he going to do tomorrow hmm, what’s he going to say, what’s he got planned?”

“Say? – Planned? I um…I don’t…I already told you, we don’t discuss her!”

Anya put her iron down, it was belching steam

“What did I say – useless the pair of you!” she picked up her iron and again attacked the shirt with it.

“Okay then, see as you know it all, what would you do?” She propped up the iron and stood there thoughtfully for a few seconds and then she said,

“Well, I’d go over with a bunch of flowers and say thank you for the tablets yesterday, and would you have dinner with me of Friday night, I know this fantastic little restaurant, does great Italian food – or whatever”

Xander looked at his wife and blinked. She made it all sound SO simple…

“God you make it sound so easy!”

“It IS easy!...........Honestly, useless men!!”

ooOOoo

“Good morning, good morning, good morning! And what a fine morning it is too!” William greeted his assistant with a big grin as they met at the elevator.

Xander grinned, looked like his boss was still on a high from yesterday’s development.

“Oh, before I forget, Will Anya help with the exhibition? The Pre-public opening press night and then the actual opening day, will that be alright?”

“Yeah – fine, um, oh, she said…”

“And tell her rather than the $9.50, I’ll pay her $12 an hour, she deserves a rise”

Xander was pleased he didn’t have to ask!

“So we’re going ahead with it then, this Stebson’s exhibition” Xander asked as William sorted the burglar alarm.

“Well, I’ve been thinking, why not – doesn’t reflect on the gallery his behaviour does it?”

Xander nodded sagely as they went into the office

William continued,

“And like you say, at $10,000 a day, well - can’t say that won’t be useful!!”

“Yeah – okay boss…I’ll sort the mail”

“Good, I’ll put the kettle on…coffee?”

Xander went to the door and opened up the letter cage and took out all the mail.

ooOOoo

“Hi Pookey…yes he does, and yes he does, and before you ask, he volunteered a raise for you before I even asked………he said $12 an hour………no…NO - Anya, I TOLD you, we don’t discuss –yes honey bun he wants you to do the hostessing and the books………………………he just bought me coffee that’s why………okay bye then!”

The morning was busy. Three enquiries over some of William’s pictures, and an invite to exhibit at a gallery renown for land and seascapes.

At 11 o’clock, Xander thought he should speak up – time was ticking away. So taking the bull by the horns, Xander ventured…

“William” Will looked up from reading the fax from the gallery who wanted some of his pictures to exhibit.

“Xander?”

“I was thinking, well An… um I mean er…what are you going to do now?” Xander decided to bite his tongue on mentioning he’d discussed then girl with Anya…

“Do? Do about what – I’m going to let them have a dozen of my pictures”

“No…I don’t mean – look – there’s this ‘big elephant’ in the room that we never talk about, you and that girl, right, and I thought that today you have a golden opportunity to talk to her”

William put the fax down, leant against the desk and said quietly,

“Go on”

“Well…why don’t you go out and buy a bunch of flowers, and take them to her, as a thank you for the tablets she gave you yesterday, and then you could ask her out to dinner………or um some, something”

Is that what you’d do?”

“Hell yes!”

“Then I wish I had your courage…it’s a great idea, - heck brilliant even…but I can’t! I’m hopeless with women, always have been – I’d get to within a yard of her and fall over or stutter and mumble and she’d just confirm what she already knows, and that’s I’m a moron!”

“Huh…me too”

“Don’t talk wet, you’re married, and that idea you just came up with!”

Xander stood up and said,

“Truthfully – the first time I plucked up the courage to ask Anya out I had to drink three bottles of lager first.…..when she said yes I…I - well I had to run and throw up my stomach was so knotted – I was expecting Anya to cancel thinking what an idiot I was!”

“But she didn’t”

“No…and um…that flower idea – it was Anya’s”

William looked down at his soft comfortable Gucci loafers and smiled

The gallery door opened , and in bustled Anya, with two shopping bags, and a beautiful hand tied bouquet of mixed cut blooms, carnations, roses, gardenias, sweet peas, and star gazer lilies.

“Where did you get – I mean, um who are they-“ Xander started

“Not too late am I?” Anya said, making for the back of the gallery

“Too late for what, where did you get those from?” Xander asked looking alarmed rapidly following his wife.

Not bothering to answer her husband Anya looked over his shoulder and called William

“Anya – what are you – oh god!”

“Shut up Xander. Now, there you are…come here, is that shirt clean (sniff) hmm okay now I knew if it was left up to you, you’d let a golden opportunity pass you by – so here, all you have to do is to go and sit on that bench seat until she arrives, and then give her the flowers and ask her out to dinner – see simple – these are for you , as a thank you for yesterday, would you come out to dinner with me on Friday – now how simple is that, hmm, hmm?” Anya looked from William to her husband and back. William hadn’t moved, Xander was mortified

“I’m sorry Anya…I can’t, I just can’t!” William began to back away

“Oh shut up with the can’t; grow some balls will you!” Anya said. Xander closed his eyes expecting for them both to be unceremoniously bundled out the shop, him sacked………

“Anya, I know it’s a brilliant idea but – she already thinks I’m a moron!”

“Tell you that did she?”

“No but-“

“But nothing…do you want me to do it for you, bit childish I know but I could-“

“NO!! er no, no it’s um…oh god”

“Anya…what do you think you’re playing at?!” Xander hissed at her

Totally unperturbed she looked at the clock, it was just gone twelve…

“Well look, even if you don’t ask her out, just give her the flowers, she’ll think you’re sweet and when you have grown some balls, and want to date her, this gesture will be in your favour”

Xander whined and slid down the wall. William kept on swallowing, he had too much saliva in his mouth, his palms felt hot and he was shaking

William looked at the flowers, and then at Anya

“What do I say again?”

“There you go! You say, these are for you, for your kindness yesterday”

“These are for you for your kindness yesterday………” William repeated

Shakily William took the bouquet

“These are for you, for your kindness yesterday …Hi Buffy, um these are for you – for your kindness yesterday!

Buffy – lovely day, these are for you –“

“No talking weather” Anya said sternly

“Okay – Hi Buffy, um these are for yesterday I mean kindness, for the bump, no I mean the tablets – you were kind – oh god Anya I can’t do –“

“Told you, don’t want to hear can’t!”

“I’m going to be sick!” William felt his tummy back flip

“For goodness sake don’t be such a wuss!

William was now at the front door of the shop, Anya behind him.

“Hmm, is that her? Pretty little thing she is…now go on, and remember what I said!”

She could hear William mumbling what he’d got to say as she pushed him out of the door. For good measure she put the snick up so he couldn’t bolt back inside.

An ashen looking Xander came and stood next to his beaming wife.

“You realise we’re both sacked now, don’t you?”

“Rubbish, look!” Anya nodded to the bench and saw to his amazement the beaming blonde standing, putting down her lunchbox and then taking the proffered flowers, then she put her arm around William’s neck and kissed his cheek, all the time beaming and talking to him. William slid onto the bench next to her and they were both grinning

The blonde girl buried her nose into the flowers, she obviously loved them.

“See – told you…go put the kettle on Xander I want a cup of tea!” Anya said, not taking her eyes off the couple on the bench.

Xander felt limp – Anya could be a real force to be reckoned with sometimes – very forthright and sometimes very bossy – but he had to hand it to her, never in a million years would his boss have done that today without a great big push. Xander made two mugs of tea and took them out into the main gallery

Anya sat at the reception desk reading some leaflets, from time to time she glanced out at the bench seat and smiled, they seemed to be getting on like a house on fire………

At five to one, William came in, and a bigger, soppier sillier grin you wouldn’t find!

“Well?” was all she asked

“Friday night, we’re going to Four Season’s Waterside Inn” William said as if in a dream. Anya looked suitably impressed and said with surprise,

“Really I thought you had to book a place like that months in advance”

“I know the boss…sold him a picture, he said a table for two was mine anytime – I’ll ring him now, where’s Xander?”

“I sent him out for some decent cookies, chocolate ones…oh, and you owe me $50 for the flowers”

William took out his wallet and handed Anya TWO fifty dollar notes

“There you go, get yourself one of those bouquets too”

Anya reached up and kissed his cheek

“Thankyou – it wasn’t so hard now was it?”

“Once I saw her reaction to the flowers, it was a doddle!” William said grinning


ooOOoo


Buffy checked the number on the pad she’d written down…555….5042………and dialled, it began to ring.

Eventually the answer-machine kicked in

“Hi, you reached the home of Angel Stebson, I’m not here yadda, yadda, you know the drill………BEEP!”

“Angel this is Buffy, where’s this booking confirmation for the spa, it’s been nearly a week now and-“

“BUFFY!”

“Ow, not so loud!”

“Sorry now what is it you want my little Lotus Blossom?”

Buffy frowned and said sharply,

“I’m not your little anything – I kept my side of the bargain, I went into that gallery, no it isn’t run by a ‘fro-haired geek with glasses, actually, he’s quite cute, got these amazing blue –“

“Um what was it you said you wanted again?”

“The spa booking confirmation” Buffy said tight lipped

“Oh that…um I haven’t booked it yet”

“ANGEL! No wonder the woman had never heard of me when I phoned…she must think I’m a basket case…okay so book it NOW!”

“On one condition”

“No, done my bit”

“Do this for me, and I’ll make it for a week at the spa”

“We already agreed on a week for what I’ve already done Angel, don’t try and renege on me now, else you’ll be sorry”

Angel rolled his eyes, he really REALLY must have pissed her off at some stage, but he couldn’t for the life of him think what it could possibly be…

“Uh, hello, you still there?” Buffy asked

“Hmm – oh yeah…sorry I was just thinking…”

“Well look, don’t put too much pressure on that one little brain-cell of yours”

Angel frowned…just why DID he want her to go to the opening with him? – She looked good, very good that was it!”

“Come to the opening of the exhibition with me”

“No”

“Please?”

Buffy’s brows rose – Angel saying please?

“Why should-“

“I’ll make it a month pass at the spa, with the new hydro beauty spa treatments”

Buffy opened her mouth to tell him to take a hike when his words got through to her…

“A month…okay, phone me back when you’ve booked it” And with that the phone went dead.

“Atta gir-huh…why do I let her treat me like this?”

He menu’ed Cordelia’s number on his mobile and pressed

“Stebson Art, Cordelia Chase speaking, how may I help you?”

“Cordy, it’s me, book a month pass at the Spa club please”

“The Houghton court?”

“Where are you calling from, I thought you were in?” Cordy asked confused

“I am, I’m downstairs, well was I’m coming up to you now” He took the stairs tree at a time was breathless at the top! He bowled in the room they called ‘The Office’.

Cordelia sighed and rolled her eyes

I see…so, Houghton court, is it?
“Good god no, she’d skin me alive, the Tudor Grange one – name of Buffy Summers”

Cordelia looked up sharply at the name – now there was a blast from the past…it ended badly last time, and Cordelia wondered why he was bothering with her again………

“Buffy Summers” she repeated. Angel turned from looking out of the window to looking at her

“That’s what I said…you sound surprised”

“M-me – no, no of course not!” Cordelia began the booking over the net.

“Yes you do, why?”

“I’m not surprised!” Cordelia insisted, but she could feel the colour creeping up her neck.
Chapter 6 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 6

When William got home, he picked up his mail. Some brochures for holiday cottage rental in Devon and Cornwall, and a letter form the IRS.

He picked up the phone and dialled Xander’s number

“Hello?”

“Oh hi, Hailey – it’s uncle William, is your mom there please – could I speak to her?”

“Sure…mom…………………MOM! She’s coming! Hey guess what, I got an ‘A’ for my art project!”

“You did? – Clever girl – what did you do?” William asked, smiling

“Well, we had to do something on nature, so I drew some bugs and leaves and feathers and stuff, the teacher said it was really good the way I did the light and shade”

“Excellent, well keep it up huh, one day we might have an exhibition of your pictures at the gallery!!”

“That would be awesome – here’s mom – bye uncle!”

“Bye Hailey!” He could hear the phone changing hands, and Anya said,

“Hi Will, not getting cold feet are you?”

“Cold feet – over – oh gods no, looking forward to it, no I’ve had a letter from the IRS, would you do the accounts for me?”

“Yes of course, I could come in on Thursday, or bring them home and do them over the weekend, whichever you think is better”

“Well we’ve got a load of junk arriving here on Thursday”

“I’m sorry, junk?” Anya asked frown/smiling

“Sorry, art work, by Angel Stebson coming here for an exhibition”

“Oh – I see what you mean now, junk! Um…it’s not the plates of half eaten food is it?”

“I’ve no idea, just as long as he doesn’t infest my stock with bugs and maggots and stuff!” William said

“Oh I think he said after the incident in New York were some hobo ate one of the exhibits, he has them glazed and varnished now!”

“Well you know more than me, I’m totally not interested. So if I send the ledgers home with Xander, and I’ll pay you $12 an hour”

“Okay that’s great!”

“And Hailey sounds as if she’s doing well at school!”

“Oh the art project….hmm pity she isn’t so hot on math, English and history!”

“Oh dear…the American Civil War doesn’t do it for her huh?”

“Unfortunately no, she’s upstairs with her two friends and my makeup bag more interested in trying to look like Miley Cyrus at the moment!”

“Sorry, who?”

“Hannah Montana – TV programme? – Never mind, you’ll understand when you and - Betty is it? – When you have kids of your own!”

“Kids of – hey steady on, haven’t even been on a first date yet! – And her names Buffy!”

“Hmm...Buffy…what kind of a name IS that anyway?” smiling William got on the defensive

“Well I think it’s a beautiful name, anyway I must go, my moo goo gai pan is getting cold!” Anya laughed

“Okay bye Will”

“Bye!”

ooOOoo

“Okay folks, let’s hear it for my final guest tonight, some would say the ‘controversial’ artist, the Enfant-Terrible of the Art World, Mr Angel Stebson” Gloria Benson stood from her seat and clapped along with the audience and Angel walked confidently onto the set of Entertainment Tonight. He undid his jacket button and sat on the leather sofa after kissing country singer Kimmy Synette, and shaking hands with American TV award winner Chad Whit. The applause died down and there were one or two ‘whoops’ from members of the audience.

Beaming at her guest Gloria began:

“And how does it feel to be back in your native California?”

Angel smiled and said,

“Great huh! Nice to see the sun again!”

“New York dull then?” Gloria drawled

“No, just a little cold!”

“Well now, cold isn’t what you say the reception was to your new exhibition, because it has caused quite a controv – hold on, excuse – security, SECURITY!” some of the audience started shouting, some clapping others making noises,

Gloria’s question was interrupted by a man dashing on stage with a piece of paper in his hand

“You are Angel Stebson, I’m – get off – I’m Larry Mason, ow – get….consider your self served with this writ, OW get off!” he thrust the envelope into Angel’s hands, and then he was wrestled off the stage by a security guard, a floor manager and a cameraman.

Angel looked at the envelope and put it in his inside jacket pocket

The audience had gone wild, and it took several moments before calm was restored.

“Well! What was that all about?” Gloria asked

“No idea…it can wait” Angel said casually as he could. Ever the professional, Gloria carried on with her set questions until the show was over.

“Five, four three, two, one and cut – that’s a wrap” the floor manager said and Gloria took the microphone from the front of her top.

“Did you set me up?” Angel asked her with a grin. The other guests got up and left the floor, Gloria tried to look suitably horrified

“Would I do a thing like that!”

“Gloria, I know you too well…that’s the exact thing you’d do!” Angel moved behind her and softly kissed her neck. She closed her eyes and shivered, turned and pulled him towards her by the lapels of his jacket, kissing him passionately.

“Fuck dinner….let’s go straight for dessert back to my place………Clem…CLEM!” Gloria looked up into his eyes, she looked like she wanted to eat him alive……

“Yes Miss Benson?”

“Have my car sent around the front immediately!” she barked out

“Right away Miss Benson!”

ooOOoo

The Morning Herald headlines:

‘Controversial Artist has writ issued live on TV’ and a slightly blurred picture of Angel Stebson been given the writ by a man called Larry Mason, while being wrestled off stage was shown.

On the nightstand lay the open envelope. Gloria had got out of bed and wrapped her silk robe around her, Angel lay back, his one arm above his head. He remembered the writ and turned and picked it up.

“What does it say?” Gloria asked putting a mug of coffee down where the writ had just been.

Angel was reading, and then he said,

My client, Parker Abrams………yadda, yadda, yadda, finished his meal at the Burger Shack on the 23rd on November last year, and having thrown the rest into the above named restaurants garbage facility, yadda, yadda, yadda – “

“Yadda, yadda, yadda, what?” Gloria asked lighting a cigarette.

“Basically he’s trying to pull a fast one – he’s saying that piece I sold to the Prince for a million bucks, I called it ‘Enough’ – it’s part of the ‘Urban Decay’ exhibition, anyway, he says if tests prove that it’s HIS teeth marks in the burger and bun that he left, and if there are his prints on the plate, then he’s going to sue me for half the cost I sold it for, on account that it was HIM and not me that did the ‘work’ - fucking cheek – the bastard had thrown it away!”

Gloria frowned and said:

“Ew…and you retrieved it from the dumpster – ugh how COULD you!”

Angel crossed his arms behind his head on the pillow and grinned

“Because I can! I could shit in a bag and some sap would buy it!”

“I suppose you could…now come on, drink up, you’ve got to go!” Gloria barked at him

Angel frowned and sat up, he held her shoulders and slightly pulled her back to him

“What’s the rush…(he kissed her neck) I’ve got all morning, it’s only…(he squinted at the clock) twenty past eight!”

Gloria pulled away and said brusquely

“You might have all morning, I, have not!”

“On come on baby, don’t be like that – we’re so good together you and-“ he reached for her again, but she stood up and turned ready to give him some ‘home truths’

“You might think you’re good, but when you think only of yourself and not your partner when indulging in what is SUPPOSED to be an act of mutual pleasure, it gets BORING in every sense of the word, now drink up and go will you, I’ve got a dress fitting in an hour and I want to shower first”

Angrily throwing back the bedclothes, Angel got dressed. He didn’t take kindly to been told virtually that he was no good in bed, and he was angry too that that little bitch who’d just yelled at him and also set him up last night to be served with that writ whilst on her show, she loved to be controversial did Glory………Snatching his jacket off the back of the bedside chair Angel said

“And if I find out it WAS you who set me up to be served this writ on your show, you’ll be sorry!” he strode out of the door and slammed it behind him. Gloria just looked at the door and raised one middle finger………

ooOOoo

William wasn’t worried when Buffy didn’t turn up the following lunch time. He’d have felt compelled to go out and talk to her, and then he’d be worried that they’d have nothing to talk about on Friday…

ooOOoo

Buffy stood on tip-toes turning to the left and then the right looking in the mirror

She stuck her head out between the changing room curtains and asked the assistant,

“Could you fetch me the one like this, but in blue, size 2 please” She handed the assistant a yellow dress.

Less than a minute later the assistant came back with what she’s asked for, and Buffy tried it on.

“What do you think?” Buffy was always reluctant to ask assistants, they were biased and usually only thinking of their commission.

“If I wore high heels (tip-toes again) and um…(she scraped her hair up and piled it on top of her head, holding it there with one hand) and put my hair up, what do you think?” She looked at the assistant through the mirror.

“What’s the occasion?”

“First dinner date with a hot new guy”

“Venue?”

“The Four Seasons Waterside Inn” Buffy said. The assistant raised her brow and grinned

“Nice – he must be rich! That dress, don’t get me wrong, it’s nice on you, but – mind if I make a suggestion?”

Buffy dropped her arm and nodded

“Sure”

“Won’t be a sec………” The assistant left and came back with another blue dress, slightly darker than the one she’d fetched earlier – but this one had a low back and a sweetheart neck, not cut too low, but low enough to be ‘interesting’. It was in a soft crepe-backed satin, and draped beautifully. Buffy slipped it on

“Oh yes, now THAT looks like it’s made for you!” The assistant said grinning

Buffy smiled, she must admit, it looked fantastic on her, and it felt wonderful the way it floated and draped, then she saw the swing ticket and her smile went – she couldn’t afford it.

“Oh it’s lovely, really lovely” Buffy said smoothing her hands down the fabric, but then she continued,

“But it’s $150 over my budget”

“Well that’s okay, because it’s come here from another shop for our sale, you can knock $200 dollars off that price” the assistant said with a grin

Buffy immediately beamed and said

“Oh wow- really – oh god – in that case, I’ll take it!” She slipped it off carefully and the assistant took it to the sales desk. Buffy also picked up a pair of barely black sheer hold up stockings.

“There, you’ll be a knockout – have a great time!” the assistant said with a grin

“I will, and thanks so much!” Buffy went out smiling too.
Chapter 7 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Enjoy
Chapter 7


“Tell Anya if she wants to come in with you Friday morning, I’ll pay her, she might want to look over the books until lunchtime, by which time most of the exhibition pieces will be out by then, and then she can get the wine and nibbles ready for the media review”

“The public opening isn’t until Saturday then?” Xander asked

“That’s right”

“Will you be here on Friday when the press are here?”

William grinned at his assistant and asked,

“Are you kidding?” Xander frowned for a second until realisation hit him.

“Wha- oh god – of course – ‘The Date’ isn’t it!” he said returning the grin

“Sure is…and I wouldn’t want to be here to see the press, just because it’s my gallery doesn’t mean I have to be here, my ego, unlike some isn’t that big!” William said

“Well I don’t think people would think it’s ego with you!” Xander said

“No? – Well I may be around…just hope nobody wants a quote on what I think of Angel Stebson and his so-called art that’s all – because I’ll tell them what I think!”

ooOOoo


“Friday – this Friday, you mean tomorrow Friday”? Buffy said

“Er, yes, yes and um yes, this freakin’ Friday, I want you to look all prettied up and I’ll collect you at 4pm” Angel said

“Nu huh, can’t got plans for Friday” Buffy said

“Yes, plans to come to the opening of the exhibition with me – you promised…the spa deal hangs on this part”

Buffy’s knuckles went white as she held the receiver tightly.

“What time will it finish?”

“Goodness knows…all the press will be there, Chas Norrington from the Arts Council……that English bloke, what’s-his-name, um…Sir Digby Fairfax-Freene from the Galleries Association…could easily go onto midnight”

“WHAT? – No way, look what have I got to be there for?”

“Coz I need somebody to look good on my arm, that’s why”

“Why not ask Cordelia then?” Buffy reasoned, she was thinking her date with this new guy could go completely up the Suwannee if she wasn’t careful…

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that – my my, anybody would think you didn’t want the spa treatments after all!”

“I’ll be there” Don’t be late picking me up that’s all” Buffy put the phone down, the line went dead

“I won’t sweetheart” Angel said to the dialling tone


ooOOoo

Friday………


“…………So you see um, William, my aunt, well, um, she er…she’s in… in hospital, I can go see her today and I thought rather than you coming all the way over to Sunnydale to pick me up, as I’m already in town, you can pick me up from, say outside the Allied American Bank on the corner, you can stop there, say 7.30pm?” Buffy said, fingers crossed behind her back.

“Okay, that’s fine, is you’re aunt seriously ill? Did you want to take a rain-check I believe is the term you use!” William asked, hoping against hope she wasn’t going to blow him off altogether, getting a table might not be so easy the next time if he had to cancel now…

“No, no, I’ll um, I see her in the early evening and then we can g-go!”

Buffy said nervously

“Great, well okay then Buffy, I’ll see you outside the Allied American Bank at 7.30 then”

“Great – thanks, looking forward to it, and um sorry for, well sorry for messing you about!”

“No problem – saved me getting lost on the way to your place!” William said happily

“Yes! – Bye” Buffy quickly put the phone down. She blew air up her face making her fringe fly, and said to herself,

“Phew…now all I’ve got to do is find a way of slipping away from the gallery where ever this exhibition is and get across town to meet William…



ooOOoo


William had felt a little guilty in taking the whole day off, but he knew that Xander was more than capable of looking after things, and besides, he needed to do some shopping – which had done, and had just arrived back home. He put his purchases on the bed, pleased with the Channel pants, black of course, and the mid-blue linen shirt set off his colouring just nice.

He took off the purchase tickets, and unfolded the shirt, made sure all the pins were out and put it on a clothes hanger to make the creases dropped out, and hung it on the outside of his wardrobe.

William had been surprised by the swift action of the company Stebson used to install his so called ‘artworks’ – they definitely knew their job, and most of it installed by just after 11 o’clock, so Xander had informed him by telephone………

“…Because I will stay the whole evening here if you want me too, I don’t mind, Anya will go home but I can be here”

Xander said

“No, just until eight o’clock, then you can get off home, I’m sure it will be fine, make sure the wine and nibbles are out, and the office doors are locked, everything will be hunky dory, we’re all covered by the insurance, and Snyder and Woods are on security, they’re spot on, so there’s no need for you to stay – besides which, I bet you’d be bored rigid!” Will said with a smile

“Oh thank god for that, I didn’t think you’d want me too, but I thought I better ask, just in case. Oh yes, and Anya said the books won’t take long, you keep every receipt in such good date order that she’ll fly through them!”

“Good…so what time will the press be there?”

“Oh, I should say anytime after lunch, the TV lot will be here about 6 so they said – but it depends where they have to come from…hold on Will, there’s somebody knocking on the gallery front door…………no sorry were not open………what? – Oh, round the back entrance, follow the signs for the underground parking lot…yeah, okay – sorry Will, still there?”

“Uh huh”

“Looks like the last of the exhibits has arrived”

“Garbage truck?”

“Haha! Might as well be. So, are you all set for tonight?”

“Yup…went and splashed out on some new pants and a shirt”

“Great, so what time are you picking her up?”

“Seven thirty, outside the bank on the corner”

“Oh, that’s new, I thought that you were…”

“Picking her up from her house? - I was but she’s seeing a sick aunt in hospital first, so she said while she was already in town…”

“It was silly you going all that way over to Sunnydale to pick her up”

“Especially with my sense of direction!”

“Oh Will, haven’t you worked out that SAT NAV we bought you yet?”

“Well kind of, well I thought so, I put the Zip code in, and it all seems to go pear-shaped from there!!”

“Look, you’ll have to come to lunch one Sunday and I’ll – oh, sorry Will, I’ve got to go, that guy’s at the back door now, anyway not that you’ll need it, but –“

“XANDER!” Anya bellowed from the office

“Coming, cup-cake – bye Will, and good luck!”

“Thanks” smiling William put his phone down. He was going to have a light lunch, a leisurely afternoon reading holiday brochures and then a nice invigorating shower before he went out.


ooOOoo


Buffy applied lipstick from the tube, and rubbed her lips together. It seemed odd getting ready so early, she just hoped she’d be able to get a cab from where ever this gallery was to the bank so William could pick her up, she’d got her cell-phone and a cab number at the ready.

Angel pulled up outside Buffy’s house and honked his horn and revved the engine of his Porsche sports car.

Taking one last look in the mirror, Buffy grabbed her jacket and opened the front door. Angel ducked his head to look out of the window and was pleased to see that she looked nice, in fact make that VERY nice…maybe tonight wouldn’t be such a washout after all…

Buffy got into the car, and Angel leaned over to kiss her, but Buffy leaned away and frowned as she did up the seatbelt

“Don’t, you’ll ruin my makeup”

Angel thought, still grinning, boy close up she looked even better.

“Come on, spa pass” Buffy said in a business like tone, waggling her fingers

“Ah, a, a – you don’t think I’m giving it to you now only for you to do a runner on me five minutes after we get there do you?”

Gritting her teeth Buffy said,

“I want it before the night is over, I know what you’re like at these things, you’ll be drunk by ten and have forgotten all about it”

Gunning the car to the bottom of the road Angel grinned at her before pulling out onto the highway.

“You worry too much sweetheart!”

“And don’t call me that, I’m not your sweetheart!” Buffy said, going red, she looked out of the window

Looking in his driving mirror at her Angel said

“You used to be, what happened?” There was a faint something nagging at him in the back of his brain….he couldn’t quite put his finger on it…then there was a pin-head of light for him…her mother used to have a gallery

“Sore at me coz I didn’t use your Mom’s gallery, is that it?” .

Buffy positively glared at him, Angel could feel the heat of her anger coming off her in waves.

“Don’t you ever read the Artworld magazine? My mother died three years ago, a brain tumour”

Angel winced and said

“Ah, um”

“And no doubt this exhibition of yours has got to be somewhere big and bright and flash, not the, and I quote, ‘poxy little suburban gallery that sell pictures only good enough for chocolate boxes and jigsaw puzzles’ as you stated my mother’s gallery was, as soon as you were on the up mind, didn’t say that first off when they let you exhibit your junk for nothing did you?”

Angel considered himself rebuked. So THAT’S what happened to make Buffy sore at him…

“So what’s changed, why are you out with me now?” he asked

“Because – that’s MY business!” Buffy just turned her head and looked out of the window again.

As he drove towards the city centre he briefly wondered if it had been her and not Gloria that set him up the other night – he’d have to be a little bit careful with her now, not needle her, it could get nasty. All he wanted from Buffy was for her to be a bit of eye-candy on his arm, and perhaps a quick fumble last thing…looked like he’d got no chance of the latter…

As they got into the city centre, Buffy looked worried, they were coming up to the place where she sat everyday eating her lunch…

“What are we here for?”

“It’s where the exhibition is…hmm, I wonder why the banner isn’t in the window about my exhibition!” Angel said frowning, glancing across to the gallery waiting for the lights to change.

Buffy’s eyes went huge and round.

“Oh no! You’re not – tell me this isn’t the place that – oh god, oh fuck – YOU DIDN’T TELL ME IT WAS AT THIS GALLERY!” Buffy screamed at Angel

Frowning Angel moved off as the lights changed and indicated to turn left to go into the underground parking lot.

“Yes I did!”

“No, you didn’t!”

“Yes I did! I asked you to go in there and see if it was run by a geeky looking bloke with an almost afro and glasses, anyway, what gives – what difference does it make, or is this somebody else you’ve pissed off too?”

Buffy felt sick

“Oh YOU piss off! Oh shit! – What if he…” Buffy bit her tongue

“What if who what?” Angel asked

“Nothing! Mind your own business!” Buffy snapped, her mind racing overtime what to say to William now, he’d know she lied to him

Angel parked up and swiftly turned in his seat, he grabbed her arm and said non to kindly,

“Now look here sweetheart, I’ve spent a lot of time and money setting this exhibition up here, and I don’t want the likes of you fucking it up for me, understand-?”

“Let go of me!” Buffy hissed wrenching her arm out of his grasp. She’d have a bruise there for sure now…

“Do you understand? – You’ll come in there with me, play the dutiful girlfriend, be polite to the people I introduce you to, and then, when I think you’ve done enough, I’ll give you the spa pass, comprendes?”

Buffy nodded once, rubbing her arm.

Angel smiled

“Good, well come on then Sweet-“

“You can drop the sweetheart, my name, is Buffy”

“How could I forget…come on then Buffy, remember sweetness and light, politeness and above all, smile, look happy to be there!”

Buffy wanted to hurl.

When they got into the gallery, Buffy had a quick look around and was relieved that she couldn’t see William. Perhaps he wasn’t there, and she’d get away with it…the place was full of people with microphones, cameras and light meters.

She managed to slip into a quiet corner by the leaflet table and she tried to hide as much as she could. She did briefly see the man that had been with William that day she came in here, his assistant, but luckily for her, he didn’t look her way. She began to relax and Angel introduced her to a few people as a ‘friend’ she dutifully smiled and shook hands.


ooOOoo

William looked at the clock again for the millionth time, it was 6.45pm, allowing for traffic…he’d still get there too early if he left now. He’d do a ‘check’ one more time then go he decided. He opened his wallet, he’d got $250, his Visa card and – and where the heck was his American Express card? – he wanted that in case he hadn’t got enough cash – you never know she might want vintage champagne…William went into his bedroom and rummaged in his nightstand, then in the wardrobe where he rifled through the pockets of several coats and jackets until it came to him – of course! The relief came flooding through him – it was in the lockable draw in the office – he’d used it when he’d ordered the paint for decorating the gallery and hadn’t put it back in hi wallet! Nothing else for it then, he’d have to drop in to the gallery quickly, pick it up and be just in time to get his date at 7.30pm.

Buffy noticed just how quickly Angel seemed to be getting down the wine, and every so often she see him surreptitiously take a crafty swig from a silver hip-flask he kept in his pocket.

He’d got a little more touchy-feely with her when he introduced the last guy to her, he’d left his arm draped around her shoulder, he was unsteady on his feet until a warning dig in the ribs made him think again…

Buffy was hopping from one foot to the other, she needed the ‘Ladies’…

William parked up in the underground lot and made his way to the back door and let himself in.

Buffy found the toilets next to a door marked ‘Private’

She looked at her watch, it was just gone 7.15, she only had to cross the road to get to the bank, she’d got a little time left to get the spa pass and leg it…

William unlocked his desk and there on top of his sketchpad was his American Express card. He slotted it into his wallet and opened the office door, the same time the ladies toilet door opened…

Angel came stumbling slightly down the corridor and grinned when he saw Buffy

“Oh B-buffy – what are you doing here?” William was shocked to see her

“I-I um, I er…” Buffy’s heart thumped and her stomach flipped, her mouth went dry and she felt sick

“Buffy, coo-eee…sweetheart…come here dar-(hic) darlin’, wan you to meet som- somebody – ooh ooh I know you! Oh god –the ‘fro’s gone burr-it’s still you! It’s Willie – hey, hey – Willie the Geek – didn’t think (hic) that you was coming! Buffy it’s Willie the Geek!” Angel reached Buffy and held her hand

“Anyway, come on darlin’ (hic) somebody here knew your mom…come and meet them!” Angel’s arm stretched as Buffy didn’t move

“So, this is your sick aunt I take it?” William said coldly

Buffy loosed Angel’s hand and made to walk towards William

“I’m sorry William, please let me explain, I-“ but William took a step back, so Buffy stopped, she knew it was useless. Angel took her hand again and began tugging her towards the main gallery.

“Come ON Buffs…wan’ you to meet this guy…bye Willie…like your garra, gallerer, nice place you got (hic)!”

“Goodnight Buffy, you seem to have your hands full, I’ll leave you to it” William felt totally crushed, he turned and left, trying with all his might not to scream and slam the security door.
End Notes:
please leave me a review!!
Chapter 8 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Let me know what you think!!
Chapter 8


William sat in the car. He didn’t know how he got home, to tell you the truth. He’d forced himself to keep calm, to drive carefully…of ALL the people in the world she had to be with, it was HIM – Angel Stebson, bane of his life since the age of 12. Locking the car door, William walked up the path, feeling a myriad of emotions, pain, disappointment, anger. Suddenly it came to him, what he should do – of course, do what he’d always done in the past – take the easy route, and run away………


Ramming his key in the lock, William went inside and snatched up the brochures advertising holiday cottages…

He went to the fridge, opened a beer and sat down. With a pen he marked which cottage he wanted, and looked up the phone number reaching for the phone, he suddenly realised that he couldn’t phone England now, it would be 4’o’clock in the morning. He drank the beer and fetched another. His stomach rumbled – he’d only had a light lunch, he would have been the best way through a fillet mignon by now if all had gone to plan – but why did she have to lie to him – why? WHY?


ooOOoo

“I knew you’d do this to me – I KNEW IT!” Buffy practically screamed at Angel

Trying to comprehend what he’d done wrong now Angel slurred,

“But this guy knew yer mom…I thought that you’d-“

“I’m not on about that! Oh God give me strength! Why do I let you do these things to me, why do I always let you come in a fuck things up for me?!”

Angel frowned, he hadn’t a clue what she was on about…

“You wan’ this?” Angel tried to hold his wine glass, and look in his inside coat pocket at the same time. He didn’t succeed and spilt the wine

“Oh fuck...here hold this…Buff…Buffster”…he looked up from trying to grope in his pocket for the spa pass, but she’d gone. He did a complete 360% turn but couldn’t see her anywhere, so he decided to go back to the main gallery.

Buffy pushed her way through the milling press personnel, and tried the front gallery door, but it was locked.

“I’m sorry madam, there’s only the back exit open, we can’t have – oh god it’s you!” Buffy turned around to see the guy who’d been with William that day she’d come into the gallery

“What are – I’m sorry I thought William said you were meeting him outside the bank – hasn’t he arrived yet? – Do you want me to call him for you – um, are you alright?” Xander frowned, it appeared that she’d been crying

“I-I was…going to meet him outside the bank…but, but I – “ (her face crumpled) and she squeaked something Xander didn’t understand.

Giving the gallery a quick worried look around, Xander put his arm around the blonde and led her back the way she’d just come from. They stood outside the toilet and office doors.

“Now what’s happened?” Xander asked standing in front of her.

Buffy couldn’t look Xander in the eye she felt so ashamed, and barely above a whisper she said,

“I – I lied to William, and he um, he caught me out – Angel was very rude to him and-“

“Hold on, hold on…when did you see William?” Xander asked

“Just, about ten minutes ago” Buffy said

“Where?” Xander asked

“Right here, where we’re standing now, I came out of the toilets and Will came through that door there” She indicated the door marked private.

“William was here – what for?” Xander asked puzzled. Buffy shrugged her shoulders

“I don’t know”

So what do you mean Angel, was very rude to him, what has Angel got to do with this?” Xander asked, his eyes going round. Buffy glanced up at Xander and said,

“I came here with Angel to the gallery opening. I didn’t know it was today the exhibition opening was until yesterday, and I only found out it was here when I got here earlier.” Buffy tried to explain, Xander frowned and tried to understand what she was saying……………

“………And, and then William looked so angry and he said ‘it looks like you’ve got your hands full’, and then he said goodnight and left” Buffy said miserably

Xander couldn’t really make head nor tail of what Buffy had just told him, except that it was obvious the date was off, Buffy had lied and William was obviously hurt and off licking his wounds somewhere…

They both stood opposite each other not knowing what to say next.

Their silence was broken by Xander’s mobile phone ringing. Buffy slowly turned and went to walk away, but Xander gently put his hand on her arm and shook his head, so she stopped.

“Pooky, it’s me, listen when you go for the take-away, scrub the sweet and sour pork, I’ll have Singapore style noodles instead, it’s got everything in it, pork, shrimp, chicken and beef – so I’ll have that okay?” Anya said brightly

“Er, er yeah, okay cup-cake, listen…something’s cropped up, I might be half an hour late, but I’ll phone our order through before I collect, that should save some time”

“What, what’s cropped up?”

“I’ll tell you later, gotta go, bye”

“Remember Singapore style-“

“Yes, yes I will bye honey” Xander snapped the phone shut and said to Buffy,

“Fancy a quick coffee?”

She looked at him for a few seconds, decided it couldn’t hurt and nodded

“Come on…in here”

Xander turned and fished a bunch of keys out of his pocket, selected one and opened the office door, stepping back to allow her into the room first. Buffy went in and Xander followed closing the door behind him. He busied himself with the kettle and mugs in the little kitchenette area and Buffy sat down.

He placed a steaming mug in front of her and said

“Now, from the top – how do you know Angel, and tell me again slowly what happened tonight………”

ooOOoo

William angrily took off his tie. He accidentally spilt beer on his new shirt, but he couldn’t be bothered – in fact he didn’t know why he ever bothered, he was a non-starter where women were concerned, why did he think things would be different this time? He should know himself by now, nothing went according to plan for him; nothing ever went right as regards women, from his teenage crush on an art teacher old enough to be his mother, to rosy-cheeked freckly faced 12 year old Cecily Adams who told him to close his eyes and open his mouth, instead of the kiss he was expecting he got a big fat earthworm put in there by Angel and was the laugh of the class for weeks after – then there was Dru…what a disaster she was – the morning after he’d lost his virginity to her, after ‘Life –drawing’ class Dru had draped herself in a silk robe and ‘presented’ William with a plaster cast of Michaelangelo’s David, except she’d stuck a huge dildo to the front of it and declared him to have the biggest dick in the whole class………


ooOOoo


“………Angel didn’t buy my mother so much as a bunch of flowers or box of chocolates for letting him use her gallery, So I vowed that any opportunity I got to get money out of him, I’d take it – that’s why I asked for the spa treatment pass, I knew it was expensive…oh god, I wish I’d never heard of the place now.” Buffy explained over the coffee. She then looked at her watch and said,

“It’s twenty past eight, I better be going”

“Is it oh golly yes, well I’ve got a take-away to order”

“If you see William, please tell him how sorry I am, and I’d love to explain and to make it up to him” Buffy stood and picked up her clutch bag

“I will, but…he takes things very much to heart, I think if it had been anybody else except Stebson…” Xander didn’t need to continue

Buffy gave him a sad little smile and nodded

“Well thanks for the coffee Xander – I’ll see you around sometime” And with that, she left the office.

Xander blew his cheeks out when she’d shut the door – oh boy Anya was going to be annoyed about this! And thinking of Anya, he reached for the phone and dialled for the Lotus Garden Take-Away restaurant.

ooOOoo

William’s head whipped from side to side, faces loomed up and then out of focus, everybody was laughing, laughing, laughing…laughing at him! Close your eyes and you’ll get a big surprise……… big surprise………Willie the Geek…Pointing at him – ‘got the biggest dick in the class’ ………biggest dick……………biggest……...Willie the Geek‘s got the biggest dick in the class………in the class………in the class………in the class –

“HUH – WHU-WHAT – oh!” William sat up in a cold sweat, staring wildly around the room – oh thank God, it had been a nightmare………he blinked and rubbed his face, and then surveyed the sea of empty beer cans in front of him on the coffee table.

He stood, swaying a little, and made for the bathroom where he got undressed and had a hot shower.

Wrapped in his towelling robe he padded back into the lounge and looked at the time, it was only 6.20am. Realising it would be late lunchtime in England William grabbed the holiday cottage brochure and got his phone and dialled the number. A woman with a lovely West Country burr to her voice answered the phone

“Appleton Cottages, Rosy Appleton speaking, how may I help you?”

“Ah, hello, I um, I was wondering if you had anything available from say this coming Tuesday until the end of the month?”
William asked

“Hold on my dear…(William could hear pages being turned) how many of you are there coming?”

“Oh, um just me, I’m an artist”

“Oh lovely…let me see………hmm, no not the converted barn, you wouldn’t get a view of much except the farm….er, I have the gun-keepers lodge, mind that might be a bit expensive just for one, it’ll sleep twelve…hold on…oh I know…let me – yes, now I’m sure you’d like that one, sleeps up to 4 people so ample room for one, the game-keepers cottage on the side of Look-Out Hill over Duckett’s Bay, or…………yes, available from Thursday, the Captain’s Cabin overlooks the bay and Smugglers Cove. You can always stay with us here at the farm-house for a couple of days until it’s free for you to occupy”

“Could I – oh that’d be lovely…um, I haven’t booked my flight yet, can I get back to you, but would you pencil me in for the Captain’s Cabin please, sounds ideal” William asked, he yawned and excused himself

“Okay my dear, just let me know when you have your flight booked”

“Thank you Mrs Appleton, I’m William, William Giles”

“Looking forward to seeing you Mr Giles, bye for now”

William put the phone down and his stomach gave a loud rumble he made for the kitchen in search of food…………

ooOOoo

Xander also had digestion problems, it stemmed from eating cold Chinese food and warm beer…it had started out the right way around of course, but with all the questions Anya kept asking him the food went cold and the beer went warm…

“So how did this Angel know Buffy then?”

“Because her mother, now dead, used to own a gallery and he had his first exhibitions for free there”

“Oh, right, and William knows Angel from…?”

“Art school”

“Right…but what was William doing at the office last night?”

“I don’t know!”

“Didn’t he trust you to run things?”

“Of course he did!”

“So why was he there?”

“I just told you, I said I don’t know, if he didn’t trust me, he wouldn’t have left me in charge, or if he’d had second thoughts, he would have come and found me”

“Maybe he DID try and find you, but couldn’t!”

“Anya, he was going on the date remember; it was only because he came to the gallery and saw them together that he didn’t go!”

“That’s true. How can you eat that cold?”

“Have I had any option?” Xander raised the forkful of food to his lips for about the dozenth time before Anya asked him another question,

“Have you tried to phone William?”

“YES! While I was waiting for them to fetch this, but I got his message desk”

“Well try again!”

“YOU try, I’m eating…or rather not, heat this up for me pooky – please – I’ll try and phone him if you do” Xander handed her the piled high plate.

Xander knowing that William wouldn’t want to be disturbed and wouldn’t answer any questions anyway, only pretended to phone him

“Message desk again honey” he shouted to the kitchen. Anya leant on the door-jamb whilst the food heated up in the microwave.

“In that case, I’ll phone him first thing in the morning”

Xander thought, but he just smiled at his Mrs.

ooOOoo


Buffy miserably bounce-sat on the bed and kicked her shoes off. She lay back feeling so miserable that she started to cry again. Why had that damned spa-pass been so important to her? Why? – Oh yeah…she wanted to get money out of him, anything, to try and ‘repay’ the debt of gratitude she thought he owed her mother…it was just a rotten shame it had to mess up the only good thing she’d had to happen to her in ages. Perhaps all was not lost. Perhaps he’d let her explain, or that kind assistant of his, Xander would explain to him for her…she’d leave it a few days then call.
Chapter 9 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 9



………I know you can more than cope, I’m sorry to spring it on you like this Xander, but with that Grotty exhibition of Stebson’s on, there isn’t much for you to do at the gallery except keeping on top of the emails and post, and any enquiries about my art of course, I’ll pay you full pay, and you only need to spend, what…about an hour or two there a day in the office”

“Of course I can cope – but have you thought this through?”

“What, the holiday? – I’ve been looking through brochures -“

“No! Not the holiday, about, about Buffy!” Xander said with exasperation

“What is there to think about? – She made it quite clear that she’d rather be with Angel Stebson than me and-“
William said flatly, to which Xander burst out (surprising both William AND himself!)

“And nothing! That’s bullshit!”

“I beg your pardon?!”

“Sorry, look, I know you don’t like Stebson-“

“Huh, THAT’S an understatement!” William said his voice heavily laden with sarcasm

“Let me finish! I know you hate him, but Buffy didn’t lie to you” Xander reasoned

“She did! She…she…” Frowning William tried to think what she lied about………

“She was just leaving here to meet you at the bank when you saw her – and that’s another thing, why did you come back to the gallery just before your date, didn’t you trust me or something?”

“Trust – wha – what are – look I went to the office because I’d left my American Express card there in the lockable drawer, when I bought the paint – I wanted it in case I didn’t have enough cash for the restaurant”

“Oh. But that still doesn’t mean Buffy lied”

“But- she was with HIM and I HATE him!”

“But Buffy didn’t know that! She can’t stand him either!” Xander reasoned

“Oh is that so, so why was she holding his hand and – and how do you know she can’t stand him?”

“Because she told me! I bought her into the office, we had a cup of coffee, her mother is the late Joyce Summers” Xander explained

The name immediately rang a bell with William, but he just couldn’t place it………

“Joyce Summers…I know that name, but-“

“She used to part-own that little gallery off Praed Street, at the back of the mall, but she died of a brain tumour three years ago”

“Oh god, that was her mother?”

“Angel had his first exhibitions there, and he never paid them, never bought Mrs Summers anything – not a bouquet or bottle of wine – nothing!”

“Huh, well that’s just typical of him!”

“That’s why Buffy came with him to the opening”

“Huh – I don’t…”

“She only said she’d come if he bought her an expensive Spa pass…she was trying to redress the balance if you like, to get something out of Stebson because her mother never did” Xander explained

William was silent, his mind racing. After a second or two Xander said,

“Are you still there Will?”

“Er, yeah, yes I’m still here” William said

“Give her another chance” Xander said quietly

“How can I – I’ve made a right prat of myself haven’t I?”

“Look, she asked me to ask you if you’d let her explain”

“She did?”

“Uh huh…phone her, you have her number”

“I don’t know Xand…I’m flying to England in a few hours time”

“Well, all the more reason for you to do it now, leave it for nearly a month while you’re on holiday and she’ll think you don’t want to know”

“Are you sure?”

“What have you got to loose?”

“Okay then, I’ll talk to you later”

“I’m sure you won’t regret it” Xander said, William knew he was smiling as he said it

ooOOoo

William took his wallet out of his jacket and got her number, and keyed it in his mobile

It took a little while to connect, and then almost immediately it went to voice mail

“Hello, you’ve reached the number of Buffy Summers, I can’t take your call while I’m at work, but if you leave your name and number after the tone, I’ll get back to you as soon as possible………BEEP”

“Oh, um hello, Buf – ahem Buffy, it’s William here, William Giles…look, I’m sorry for being such an ass the other night, Xander explained a bit to me, and I was wondering if you’d give me another –

“WILLIAM!”

“Ow!” Suddenly he heard her shout his name and it made him jump, then she whispered hoarsely,

“Sorry…um hold on…I’m just going to the ladies room…we’re not allowed to take calls in the office…”

William waited patiently, and after a few seconds Buffy said in her normal voice

“There, oh god I’m SO pleased you’ll give me a chance to explain, I thought I’d ruined everything – can we meet for a coffee or something?”

“Um yeah, that would be great”

“When, this lunchtime or tomorrow – I can make it any day”

“Ah…um you see the thing is…”

“You don’t want to meet?”

Buffy said, her shoulders dropping, she should have known it was too good to be true…

“It isn’t that, I’d love to meet you, only I’m um, I’m going on holiday” William explained, she perked up a bit at this, all wasn’t lost after all…

“When?”

“This afternoon…bit of a spur-of-the-moment thing really; I fly to London Heathrow in about five hours time”

“Oh. That’s nice. I’ve always wanted to go to London. Mom and I planned to, to see the galleries and that”

“Ah yes. But I’m not stopping in London, I’m going down to the West Country, Devon”

“Oh how lovely for you. Will you paint?”

“I hope so, I’ve rented a little cottage on the side of a mountain, hope to get a couple of seascapes in, you know”

“How romantic! I haven’t had a holiday in – golly I can’t remember” Buffy said smiling, all of a sudden the ladies room door opened and a booming voice said,

“Are you in here Mizz Summers?”

“Oh shit, sorry, gotta go…um Yes, yes I am – bye Will, have a great time!” Will could hear the ‘battleaxe’ continue

“You KNOW the office rules about taking private phone calls during office hours”

“Sorry, but it was an emergency, that’s why I had it on vibrate, so it wouldn’t ring out” And that’s all that William heard as the call was ended.

At least he could go on holiday feeling more settled now.

ooOOoo

Two hours later at Xander’s house:

“But is he paying you?” Anya asked

“Of course he is Pooky, he’s paying me full time, AND he trusts me, AND I found out why he came to the gallery that night when he saw Buffy”

“Why – I mean how, no why – what was he doing there? Anya asked smiling

“He’d left his Amex card in the drawer and wanted it in case he didn’t have enough cash while he was at the restaurant. He said he’d left it in the drawer when he bought the paint to decorate the gallery – he just nipped in to get it and – well you know the rest!”

“So, do you think he’ll phone her?”

“I don’t know, he said he might, he was worried that he might have-“

“I’ll get it” Anya said standing to answer their home-phone.

“6704”

“Anya, its William” In the background, Anya could hear the Tannoy system calling and announcing flight arrivals and departures.

“Have you phoned her?”

“Have I phoned who?”

“Buffy of course!” Anya said, rolling her eyes

“Oh yes, we’ll be um, meeting up when I get back, hopefully” William said, know strictly speaking it hadn’t been arranged

“Good”

“Can I speak to Xander please, there’s one or two things about the gallery I need to check with him before I go”

“Here you are” Anya passed the phone to her husband

“Hi Will”

“I don’t think there is much to tell you really…just make sure that Stebson and his mess are out of the gallery by 10am sharp on the morning of the 30th, else he pays for another day”

“Right, got that, by 10 sharp…that it?”

“You know the alarm codes”

“Yes!”

“I’ll be back on the 1st, well 2nd at the gallery”

“Right”

“And um…I can’t think of anything else”

“Right then, have a great time my friend”

“The 1st, that’s a Sunday” Anya said, then she continued,

“Tell him to come to dinner when he gets home”

“Anya said come to dinner when you get back”

“Really, that’s great, save me having to order take-out!”

“Have a great time, bye then Will, and don’t worry, I’ll look after the gallery”

“Thanks Xander…Bye”

ooOOoo



Buffy hadn’t wanted to eat her lunch in front of the gallery, she didn’t want to risk bumping into or seeing Angel.
She ate her lunch in a little ante room at work, but she had to get out into the fresh air, that place, well it stifled her and she wanted to be away. She walked down to the corner by the bank, and who should be coming out of the gallery, but Xander.

She called and waved, Xander waved back. Crossing the road Buffy ran to meet him.

“Hi! Have you heard from William?” She asked brightly

“Um, yes, yes we have actually, he got there safe and sound, he had to stay overnight at the farmhouse until the cottage was vacated for him, but he’s all settled in now, the weather’s great, apparently!”

“Oh good...um, when is he due back?”

“Not till the end of the month”

“Oh THAT long! Never mind – oh golly look at the time, I’m sorry, I’ve got to go - if I’m late back Mrs Keogh will have a fit!”

Buffy ran across the road and disappeared between the bank and the auction house.

Xander went home with thoughts on ball game he’d Tivo’ed last night and a can of beer………only to be met at the front door by his lovely wife Anya, who had other ideas, involving a step-ladder, a 2” brush and a can of paint…

ooOOoo


“Ah-ha! Found you!” Buffy said triumphantly as she shifted the heavy folded curtains off some cardboard boxes in the garage.

Half an hour later, sitting cross-legged sideways on the sofa, she had a stack of photograph albums in front of her; three were on the coffee table. She’d got quite teary at that last album, it was from 1990-1993 she’d been the ages of 7-10 there, and really it was the last years that they were all together, happy as a family. Grammy and Gramps on her mother’s side, and just Grandma on her father’s. The last photo in the album had been at Gramps’ 70th birthday party, it had been a blazing hot day, and everybody had gone outside, they’d decorated the tables with balloons and streamers, somebody had painted a banner that they’d hung from the trees, it said ‘Happy Birthday Jack, although they hadn’t quite left enough room for his name and it looked a bit squashed, but no body minded, the day was full of laughter, and they all wore silly paper hats and everybody was smiling…A single tear rolled down Buffy’s cheek and she swiped it away with the cuff of her sweater. She touched the faces of the people now dead with the tip of her finger and smiled.

1998-2000

A picture of herself, mother and father standing outside the entrance to the ‘magical world of Disneyland’. It had been a last-ditch attempt by her parents to save their ‘hanging-by-a-thread’ marriage, and the whole holiday had been an absolute nightmare – due to, although not entirely on Buffy’s teenage rebellious ‘I hate you, you don’t understand’ sulky behaviour. As soon as they were home, her father didn’t even unpack his case, he just left to live with his mother temporarily, and Joyce filed for divorce. So why all the nostalgia now huh? – Why all the albums out? To remember the last time she’d had a holiday of course.
Chapter 10 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 10

Buffy stepped out of ‘Globe Travel’ with a nice little haul of brochures. Deciding she needed caffeine, she headed towards the Mall.

After ordering herself a tall mocha latte, extra froth with hazelnut syrup and chocolate sprinkles, she sat in the corner and took out one of the holiday brochures ‘LONDON, it announced, one of the busiest capital cities in Europe, a place steeped full of history, culture, theatre and Royalty.’

Buffy thought. She originally was going to go there for her 21st birthday, but her father reneged on the money, announcing that he and his girlfriend were pregnant and couldn’t afford it. The following year the basement sprung a leak, several in fact and the whole house had to be re-plumbed, so of course travel and holidays were out of the question. And the year after that? – Well her mother was having the headaches by then, and two months later she died. Medical expenses had eaten up every last penny piece they’d had – It was touch and go whether Buffy had to sell the house. If it hadn’t been for a nice intern at the hospital helping her get medical negligence compensation she’d have been sunk. It hadn’t been a huge amount, but it was a ‘cushion’ for her until she could get back on her feet.

ooOOoo

It was a beautiful morning as William walked down the hill to the farm to get a few essentials…………

“A pint of milk, half a pound of butter and half a dozen eggs please, Mrs Appleton”

“Very well my dear, and how are you finding it at the cottage?”

She turned to the fridge to get what William wanted;

“Wonderful, I’m sleeping like a log, that bed is SO comfy!” William said with a grin

Smiling at him Mrs Appleton put his purchases into a bag, asking,

“Anything else I can get you?”

“Um…those scones over there…” William said, noticing a batch of freshly baked scones on baking sheet on top of the oven, and Mrs Appleton smiled

“Ah, my latest batch, I don’t usually sell them, but, hold on”

She put two of the large fruited scones into a bag, and added a small pot of clotted cream and two tiny pots of strawberry jam

“There you go my dear, have a Devonshire cream tea on me”

“Oh but I couldn’t, let me – “

“Don’t be silly, now let me see, 1 pint milk, 6 eggs…half of butter, that’s £2.80 please Mr Giles”

William handed over the money and said,

“Oh call me William, please, and thank you for the cream tea, I’ll look forward to it” he gave her a big smile and left.

Mrs Appleton smiled, sweet William eh – he’d make somebody a lovely husband! She thought and turned to put the scones into the family cake tin.


ooOOoo


< Appleford? – Appleway………Appleby?..............Apple, Apple, oh what was the name of the place Xander said William was staying…Appleway – no, done that………Appleson………nope, not Appleson………try Appleton…”EUREKA!” Buffy shouted at the computer screen, as exactly what she was looking for popped up:

‘Appleton Cottages, come and stay on a real working farm, set deep in the Devonshire countryside, or if you prefer, we have flatlets in our converted barn, or cottages to rent overlooking the sea, call for tariff and available dates’ Buffy sat back in her chair, wondering whether or not she had the guts to do it – could she actually go to the same place as William was staying? It certainly looked lovely enough, all typically ‘English’ she thought, country lanes, little thatched cottages with roses around the door, it looked so quaint!

There were also some lovely looking hotels in the resort too, and she decided she couldn’t be so bold as to stay at Appleton Cottages, lovely as it looked, BUT she could at least stay in the same vicinity…

Half an hour later, Buffy had booked herself a flight to London Heathrow, a four day stay at the Grosvenor Hotel, Park Lane London for shopping, to look around the galleries and take in a show or two, and then a transfer by coach down to South Devon and a two night, with the possibility of staying at least another two nights at the Seaview Hotel in Cheriton South Devon. That still left her with a two week stay somewhere, although where she didn’t know yet, if it was a no-good deal with William, she would go back to London, possibly taking in Stratford and Oxford, places she’d always wanted to visit. Pleased with herself she slipped her credit card back into her purse and decided that the next thing that needed sorting was her wardrobe, what to take for an English holiday………


ooOOoo
Angel wasn’t a happy bunny. That was to say the least. His latest exhibition was going down like a lead balloon, and he’d received a letter from the lawyer of this guy who was suing him surrender the piece of artwork called ‘Wasted’ from the Urban Decay exhibition. The piece had originally been sold to Prince Arreeza no less, but he’d been ordered to surrender it for forensic testing, to see if it was the bite of Parker Abrams’ on the burger and bun. This had been done, and tests proved that what Abrams’ said was right, in fact it WAS his bite mark, tests needed to prove at least 50% - and they matched 90% leaving little doubt. So now it was his intention to sue Stebson for at least 50% of money he’s got for the so-called piece of ‘art’ as he reckoned that it was him that had done the work, not the artist. The court date was set for New York, on the 18th………

ooOOoo

“Please Cordelia!”

“No!” Cordelia didn’t even look up from her monitor.

“But I NEED you, there, with me, PLEASE!” Angel whined

“Why don’t you take Buffy?” Cordelia said tartly.

, Angel thought.

“Buffy and I…well, oh um…(Angel felt in his inside coat pocket, then patted the outer pockets and said) other jacket, er look, Cordy, I’ll make it worth your while – you can have that spa pass if you like”

“What spa pass?”

“The one Buffy didn’t have”

“And you think I want her casts-off because?” Cordelia asked, even though she’s snatch his hand off for it really.

“Well all right then, what do you want, hmm? Tell me”

Cordelia thought quickly and pulled up a web-site. She pointed to the monitor at a pair of very high black patent shoes, cut out sides and toe, with a bow on the front.

“Those. That’s what I want. Christian Louboutin shoes, they’re called Footcandy , and they’re $895”

“HOW MUCH!” Angel was shocked

“$895, it’s that or nothing, take it or leave it” She was determined to stick to her resolve.

Angel squinted at the monitor and frowned

“All that money for those? – Hell I’m in the wrong business…are you sure that there isn’t something else that-“

Cordelia tapped the monitor with her perfectly manicured nail and said,

“It’s those, or there was another pair, but they’re over a thousand dollars and- “ she went to type, but Angel stayed her hand

“Okay, okay, if that’s what it takes…order them”

“No need, they’ve got them at Macy’s, I can get them there while we're in New York”

“I want you in that court room with me, I’m not paying out $900 for you to be with me and instead you’re off shopping. My god, you should be doing this as part of your job anyway! Whatever happened to loyalty hmm?!”

“Quite. Don’t worry, I’ll be there for you!” Cordelia reached up and pinched his cheek, leaving Angel wondering whatever happened to friendship, and then he remembered, he’s cheated on this girl when they were a couple…
Chapter 11 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 11


Buffy collapsed backwards on the hotel bed with a loud sigh. Whether it was because she’d walked for miles and miles up Oxford Street, and Carnaby Street, and been in practically every mall from Regent Street to Essex, or if it was the smell of burning plastic as her credit card took a bashing, she wasn’t quite sure - probably a bit of both!

Still, she hadn’t had a holiday in years, and she was determined to make up for it. She’d got a show booked for that evening; she was going to see Wicked, and then a post-theatre supper at Simpson’s in the Strand.


ooOOoo


William yawned and stretched. The camp-stool he’d been sitting on wasn’t the comfiest of seats, but needs must as it was light to carry when he also had paint box, canvas, easel, camera and his lunch to carry also. He looked at his watch. The light was fading; the sun was disappearing behind the side of the huge hill. His stomach rumbled, he felt hungry. He packed away his painting gear and made for the cottage. He’d done well these last few days, got some nice sketches of the little boats in the harbour, a superb one of some fishermen unloading their catch, a nice view of the bay and one of the little line of shops along the prom. Good stuff to turn into decent paintings when he returned home. He took the camera so he could take pictures to get the light and shade correct, and also for details such as shop names etc. Tomorrow he wanted to sketch the cottage he was staying in from the beach, and then sometime this week he was thinking of heading out to St Barnabus’ Island, locally known as Barney’s Bit. It had a monastery, a lighthouse, an animal sanctuary and some great views of the smugglers caves William wanted to draw. He’s see how the weather faired – the Gulf Stream ran close to the coast and if the weather was bad it could be quite choppy on the sea. If it was bad this week – heck, he’d go next week, he still had loads of time.


ooOOoo


“Rack, come on man…I’m giving you first choice – the whole collection!” Angel said, like he was doing the guy a favour

“Nuh huh, that Prince Arreeza, Vida loca guy whatever, you gave HIM first choice…” Rack slurred, even though it was only 10.30am

“You can have ANY piece you want man!” Angel said

“Hey…come with us!” Rack said rambling

“What – where, what are you on about?” Angel asked, trying to humour his drunk/stoned friend

Rack dropped the phone, and Angel could hear him calling out to another band member………

“Pav…Pav…PAVANE!”

“Wot?”

“Tell um, thingy on the phone…’bout going to um, where is it? – Oh yeah, Swizzy-land bowsnording, I mean , snow-boarding”

“That’s not ‘til Christmas you wanker!” Pavane retorted

“Tell him – goo on!” Angel could hear the phone being picked up

“Snowboarding in Swizzy-land!” Rack said, hiccupping

“Yeah, sounds great, so what about it, which piece do you want?” Angel asked impatiently

“Piece? – Hold on…(the phone was dropped again, and Angel could hear the sound of a deep sniff)

“BROOOOOOOOOOOGAHHHHHHHHHHH!! HOO! HITS THE SPOT MAN!” Rack shouted. Angel rolled his eyes, he would cut his losses and end the call, Rack was in no condition to talk to now he’d had a toot of the old Charlie.

“Okay then my friend, talk to you later okay, Rack…Rack, I said I’ll speak to you la-!” Angel called out loud

“Motorbikes!” Rack announced

“We’ll get motorbikes and do route 66 – Get your kicks, on Route, 66 – yeehaa!” Rack laughed down the phone

Angel sighed, totally fucking away with the fairies he thought

“Yeah great man, terrific, talk to you soon, bye”

“………kicks, on route 66 – dina-dina dina dina aaaaaaaaaaa oo-oo-oo bay-bee” Was all that Angel heard before he put the phone down.

Angel rubbed his mouth with his hand. He was worried, and had need to be. This exhibition was costing him an arm and a leg to show, and as yet he’s not sold one piece. There was no other gallery prominent enough willing to take the exhibition next, and with the prospect of this court case coming up, well, he could end up owing millions he simply didn’t have.

As if to pile on the agony, Cordelia entered the room.

“Wolfram, Hart and Shipton says that a junior partner will take on the case for you, but it’ll cost $25,000 for the preliminary hearing and an additional $10,000 a day for everyday after that. If you win all costs will be reclaimed from the other side”

“IF I win, whaddya mean, IF I win! Whose side are you on?”

“I’m just telling you what they said, that’s all, don’t shoot the messenger!” Cordelia stood with hands on her hips

“And that’s a Junior partner, Jeezus H Christ – how much for one of the senior parties to get up off their asses?”

“That would be $75,000 and $50,000”

“Fucking hell!”

“Well, you did say find the best, and-“

“Yeah, yeah I know what I said!” Angel flapped his hand motioning her to go away

“Don’t you flap your hand at me! Do I book them or not?” Cordelia snapped, she honestly didn’t know why she put up with him…

“Not, I’m gonna represent myself – d’ya think I’m made of money? – buying you shoes when I SHOULD be able to count on your loyalty”

“Oh that’s rich coming from YOU! I SHOULD have been able to count on YOUR loyalty when we were a couple, but oh no, you had to louse it up, let me come home and find you in bed with that, that trailer trash piece Faith!”

“Still sore about that are you? – Be careful Cordy, I’ll be thinking next that you still care” Angel said with a smirk.

Cordelia could have slapped him, slapped that smug self-satisfied grin off his face at least. She looked at him with as much distain as she could muster and said,

“You wish!” She left, she just closed the door quietly, she didn’t even want to give him the satisfaction that she was steaming mad, not only for the stupidity of what he’d said, but for his sheer bloody-minded arrogance too.

ooOOoo

At Victoria coach station, bay 7, Buffy handed over the two huge suitcases to the coach driver and made her way onto the bus itself. It was a modern air-conditioned Continental style coach with comfy seats and Buffy took a double near the centre of the bus. She’d bought a carrier bag with her and it contained a book, a magazine, her iPod and earphones, a sandwich, packet of potato chips, some fruit candy sweets and a bottle of soda. Her stop was the end of the line, and she knew she’d have at least three and a half hours before she got there, so she settled down and got comfy.


ooOOoo

Angel was sitting on the leather couch in his office, with a list of people who’d bought his work before…

“………Okay Mrs Sorensen, no I didn’t know he’d died, no, I’m sorry………yes I’ve heard death-duties in England are crippling…look, I’m sorry but I’ve got to go, bye!” Angel swiftly ended the call and closed his eyes. He’s totally forgotten that the famous industrialist Lars Sorensen had dropped dead on the golf course eight months ago. Onto the next then, Bernard Langley, an English restaurateur

“What? – No, no – no problems at all Bernard, hahaha, I just wanted to um, to offer you a piece before it all went you know, I didn’t want you disappointed that I’d sold out before you had a chance to see any of it” Angel tried to sound light-hearted…

“Well that’s nice of you Angel, but this credit crunch, you know…tightening our belts, we’re just about hanging onto The Dovecote in Howth, and Maddigan’s in Park Lane, but we’ve had to let the gastro-pub go, The George V is now going to be a series of loft-style apartments I’m afraid, and it’s still very tight with the bank us running the two restaurants. Not only that, the little woman has cancelled her new Mercedes convertible, so I can’t really go and spend $250,000 on a work of um, well one of your pieces now can I?!”

Angel forced a chuckle and said,

“Give you a discount!”

“No, sorry Angel – we lost $4 million in the investments I had and the bank said -“

“Okay Larry, I get the message, see ya around!” Angel quickly ended that call too. He’d called everybody he could think of, and it was all pretty much the same – nobody could afford it. The last guy he’d phoned, a music producer called Larry Schroedinger had been his last hope. Resignedly he said;

“It’s okay Larry, I understand, it’s pretty much the answer I’ve been getting all around, bye”

When Cordelia came back into the room, she saw a contemplative Angel, sitting on the sofa’s edge, elbows on knees, hands together as if in prayer, his lips touching his fingers.

“I found a firm…they’ll represent you…they’ll do it on a no-win-no-fee basis…helps train the young lawyers – I thought it better at least somebody who knows a bit about the law, rather than you trying to…well, you know. Shall I book them?”

Angel looked up and smiled at her

“Hmm, please” Cordelia nodded and turned to go

“Cordy” Angel said

“Hmm?”

“You know…thanks” she nodded and left.


ooOOoo

Buffy stepped off the bus and was surprised by how hot it was! The sun was beating down and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. It was a little after 2pm. Buffy queued and got her cases from the back of the bus and then she went and stood at the taxi rank. Quickly it was her turn and she stepped in and said to the driver

“The Seaview Hotel please”

The driver grinned at her as he put her cases in the back of the car.

“The Seaview huh, that’s my mom’s place, be there in a jiffy!”

“Great” Buffy said, smiling too.

oOo

Buffy was shown a pretty little room by a smiley-faced, slightly rotund lady, who introduced herself as Betty Bellamy. She showed Buffy how to switch on the TV and use the kettle, and said she only had to go downstairs and ring the bell in reception if she wanted anything. She gave Buffy her room key and left. The room was painted all white, with a lacy counterpane on the bed, it was SO pretty, the pillowcases had tiny little pink roses on them, and there was a bowl of sweet smelling pot-pourri on the dressing table. There was a wardrobe, and a bedside table, with a small kettle, a mug and spoon, and sachets of sugar and coffee, and little pots of milk and some tea bags. On the wall was a TV, and through the open window Buffy could see a huge hill and the sea. She could also hear the sea gulls with their plaintive cry. Through the door by the window was the toilet, a wash basin and a walk-in shower cubical.

Buffy decided she’d unpack some stuff, then go and explore the resort.

oOo

It didn’t take long for her to find him. She saw him from the back immediately she turned and walked along the harbour wall. He was sitting and sketching. She grinned, took off her sandals and stepped down onto the beach. She walked along the sand and standing a foot behind him she said,

“It’s a good job you’ve got a gallery to exhibit this beautiful drawing, isn’t it?”

Without turning at first William nodded, smiled and said

“Yes, I suppose it – hang on, how do you know I’ve got a (he turned to see a grinning Buffy, his eyes nearly popping)

“BUFFY! It’s YOU!” he stood up quickly in total surprise, his camp-stool toppling over.

“How, I mean when – no, why - oh god this is – “ He pulled her into a rough hug, then remembered he didn’t really know her well enough to do that…

“Oh god, sorry, don’t listen to me (he ran his hand down his sweating face) I’ve done this all wrong!”

Buffy laughed and said,

“It’s okay. Right, one question at a time, how? – On one of those (she pointed skywards to a passing plane. When? – five days ago, I’ve been in London, done some shopping, been around some galleries, taken in a couple of shows…
Why? – Because, well because basically, I needed a holiday!”

William was grinning at her and said

“It’s just wonderful to see you!!”

Buffy grinned and said,

“I’ll concur with that statement; it’s so good I found you so quickly!”
End Notes:
Let me know what you think!!
Chapter 12 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 12

William righted the stool and offered it to Buffy to sit on.

“No, it’s okay, I can (she sat down on the sand) it’s dry, I’m fine, anyway, I don’t want to disturb you”

“Oh goodness, don’t worry about that - the best light is going now anyway, the sun goes behind the hill and then I get too many long shadows cast – I’ve done enough of this one for today anyway – they’re only drafts so I can get the prospective and the light and shade right when I come to do the paintings.” He was still grinning, he then said,

“This is…I can’t believe you’re here!” Buffy laughed, the wind caught her hair and blew it across her face, she laughed and ducked her head, throwing back her ponytail and looking up into Williams face.

“I can’t quite believe it myself really…you should have seen the hash I made of trying to get to Carson City the year before last, and that’s only in the next state!”

Buffy began to feel very hot. Shielding her eyes she looked up into the sky and then at William

“Well it certainly isn’t true about what they say about England, how it’s always raining – Golly I’m hot!”

William had to bite his tongue to stop himself saying, ‘you certainly are!’

“So…where are you staying?”

“The Seaview, it’s-“

“I know it” William said

“And you?” Buffy asked, William pointed to a cottage half way up the cliff side.

“There – it’s very cosy, got a fantastic view of the bay”

“I bet, you’ll have to show me” Buffy said boldly

“I certainly will!” William felt his tummy flip – he continued,

“So…what are your plans?”

Buffy shrugged and laid her head on her knees looking up at William

“I haven’t got any. I got here at 2.15, unpacked a few things, and then came out to explore. Alex – is it, your assistant at the gallery-“

“Xander, he hates been called Alex!” William said

“Sorry Xander told me where you were staying; and I liked the look of the resort, an typical English village, so I thought I’d stay a few days. I also, well I wanted a chance to try and explain to you about Angel” Buffy looked down at her feet and then up to William, he smiled and said,

“Let’s forget about him, and all about that nonsense, it’s past now and gone for good. So, we start again…now, how long are you here for?” Buffy smiled, that was so nice of him to make it that easy for her, she could have hugged him there and then!

“Well, two days definite, with the option of another two, then I’ve still got two weeks here in England somewhere before I have to go back, depends how things go” Buffy said

“Do you have an evening meal booked at the hotel?” William asked

“No, just Bed and Breakfast”

“Good! Do you like fish and seafood?”

“Love it!”

“Great, coz I know a fantastic little restaurant just around the corner, the menu changes every day depending on what they’ve caught that morning, so it’s the freshest fish you can get, would you do me the honour of coming to dinner with me tonight?”

“Love to!” Buffy said grinning

“Great, that’s settled then!” William felt SO excited – he seemed to have lost his nervousness here, the situation been so different to the one outside the gallery.

“Right then! I don’t know about you, but I’m parching thirsty, how about I take you for a pint at your first English pub?”

“I think, that sounds a wonderful idea!” Buffy went to stand, and William ever the gentleman offered her his hand to help her up, which she accepted.

“Tell you what, I’ll just run up to the cottage and drop this stuff off, and I’ll meet you by the harbour wall over there, there are some bench seats I’ll be five minutes, tops” William said gathering up his stuff.

“Okay!” Buffy nodded and they walked up the beach together.

oOo

“Pint or half?”

Oh…pint, why not!” Buffy said grinning

“Okay then – that’s a pint of lager and a pint of best bitter please” William said to the barman

“Can we sit outside?” Buffy asked

“Sure, go through to the beer-garden I’ll bring the drinks through. Would you like a sandwich?”

“Yes please, anything will do”

“And two ham sandwiches please” William added. The barman nodded, put the drinks on a tray and told William the price. He paid and then followed Buffy outside to the beer garden.

It looked down onto the harbour

Two minutes later, the barman appeared with their drinks and two enormous ham sandwiches, cut from home-made bread, thick cut home roasted ham, with a salad garnish and potato chips on the side.

Her pint of lager had frosted up nicely and she took a deep draught

“Oh that is SO good!” She placed it carefully on a drip mat and picked up a quarter of a sandwich and bit

“Hmm, hmm…wow – this ham is so tasty!” Soon there was nothing left on the plates except a few bits of cress leaves, and both William and Buffy had nearly finished their drinks.

“Another?”

“Am I being greedy?” Buffy asked with a giggle

“Not at all – it’s the air down here, I always eat like a horse – it’s so bracing!”

They chatted easily over their next pint, taking it slow and just enjoying each others company.

William was on cloud nine, it seemed Buffy was more than happy to stay in his company too………

“………Pretty much done all the drawing I wanted to in the resort now, the harbour at high and low tides, the hill the cottages and the bay, might get another of the bay, but from the other side, I was thinking of climbing the cliff. But saying that, I’d planned on going to Barney’s Bit sometime”

“Barney’s Bit?” Buffy asked bemused

“Well, to give it it’s proper name it’s St Barnabus’ Island, but everybody calls it Barney’s Bit. It’s an island about four miles out to sea, there’s a monastery on it, and a light house, an animal sanctuary and a ruined castle. The monastery has some beautiful stained glass windows…and the monks grow all their own food, well vegetables and stuff, and they make this wicked alcoholic drink they sell it to make funds for the animals and that. Would you fancy going?”

“Oh yes! That’s just the thing I want to see – some girl in my office, she said all English seaside resorts were fun fairs, Lotto or bingo halls I think she called them, and fish and chip shops, no culture at all!”

“Well I suppose we DO have a fair few of those, but not down here – so you’d like to go then”

Buffy drained her drink and nodded eagerly

“Yes please, how much does it cost?”

“You leave that to me. I tell you what, lets see how the weather is tomorrow, if it’s nice like this, we’ll go, but if it’s raining, we could go into Torrington and go on the Little Train along the Buttercup Line and go to the cider factory. They show you how they used to make it with the old presses and that, it’s very interesting, plus you get to taste the product after the tour!”

“Sounds like my kinda trip!!” Buffy laughed

“My goodness, would you look at the time!” William said grinning

Buffy looked at her watch and was amazed to see it said 5.45pm

“Goodness!” Buffy stood

“What time shall I meet you?” Buffy asked

“I’ll come for you…about eight?” William looked hopefully

“Perfect” that would give her chance to have a rest for an hour and then a shower and to get ready. She felt all tingly and excited, it was one of the best things she’d ever done, and she was right about her instincts about William, he really did seem to be a proper gentleman.

ooOOoo
Chapter 13 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 13

Angel was on the telephone to one of the rookie lawyers………

“Did this guy Abrams’ actually see you TAKE his finished meal out of the dumpster?” The lawyer asked Angel. Angel sighed

“Yes, no, I don’t know, listen, that’s not the case, it’s already been established, it’s HIS teeth marks on the burger and bun, it’s already been tested by forensics or whatever. Prince Arreeza had to give the piece of art work up, it was subpoenaed by the courts ”

“Oh I see. Well this puts a different complexion on things…”

“I rather thought it might” Angel said, trying to, but barely hiding the sarcasm in his voice.

“So tell me Mr Stebson, what do you actually do to the um…the, the er, items when you’ve got them?”

“Well, first I arrange them on the plate or box, and then I plasticize them”

“You what?”

“I plasticize them. It’s a technique of covering the items as you call them in a thin plastic coating, to stop it from going mouldy”

“I see. And could anybody do this?”

“What do you mean?” Angel asked

“Well, this guy Abrams’ is stating he did all the work for your piece, if I can establish this isn’t so…”

“Oh I get you – well I suppose he could, it’s a polyurethane membrane you paint over the food, and then heat to a certain temperature, but you do have to know what you are doing, too high a temperature and you could burn it, too low a temperature and the stuff doesn’t dry properly and shrink around the food, the air would get in and the stuff would go mouldy” Angel explained

“So I could argue and say it’s a specialist technique, you have to know what you’re doing with this stuff”

“Yeah. Yes I suppose so you could” Angel said, not admitting that anybody could go into an average DIY or hardware store, buy a can of this stuff and read the instructions on the back of the can, like he did…

“Good, good, now we’re getting somewhere. Now how much did Prince Arreeza pay for the item, um art work I mean?

Angel swallowed and said quietly,

“One million dollars”

“Wow! Sorry, one…million…dollars, I see and Mr Abrams, he’s suing you for…50% is that correct?”

“So the writ says, yes…” Angel was bored now………


ooOOoo

Buffy smoothed her lip gloss with her finger, took a last look at herself in the mirror and made her way downstairs to the guests lounge. She bumped into the owner, Mrs Bellamy…

“Oh you DO look nice my dear, going anywhere special?” She asked

“Oh um, to the little fish restaurant on the end of the harbour, with a friend”

Mrs Bellamy hunched up her shoulders and grinned

“Oh it’s lovely there, my son Chris, you know, the taxi driver who bought you here, he buys me a dressed crab from there every Sunday as a treat for my tea!”

Buffy smiled too, Mrs Bellamy was like a favourite aunt and she had a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

“Very nice – oh, here’s my date” Buffy spied William walking up the path. So did Mrs Bellamy and she grinned

“Very nice indeed!” Buffy wasn’t sure whether Mrs Bellamy meant the crab or William and they giggled.

“Make sure you’ve got your key dear, I shut the outside door at 11, but you can use you key to get in at any hour. Enjoy yourself”

Buffy said thanks and went out to meet William.

oOo

The restaurant was made to look like a shipwreck. The bar was part of a hull, and you sat on rum barrels (with a cushion on top!) the tables were chests or big barrels, and the walls had ‘portholes’. The ceiling was painted a dark bluish green, and a fishing net hung in folds, filled with artificial crabs, starfish, lobsters and fish, it was very effective. Buffy thought it lovely.

“Oh this is nice!” She smiled at William, who said,

“And forgive me for not saying this straight away, but you look stunning!”

She blushed prettily and glanced down, smiling. She was wearing chocolate coloured pants, with an old gold coloured silk shirt; she’d tied a cream cardigan around her shoulders in case it got a bit breezy later. Jewellery wise, she’d kept it simple with a gold chain, and simple gold studs in her ears.

“Thank you! – I was thinking how smart you looked too!”

“Drink? - And we can look at the menu at our leisure” William said. They went to the bar, and the waiter told them that today’s specials were chalked up on the blackboard, and handed them menu’s. Additionally he gave William a wine list too.

After asking her what she’d like to drink, William ordered Vodka and tonics for both of them, ice and lemon.

“Are you having a starter?” Buffy asked peeping over her menu

“I am indeed, and I’m having a main course, a pudding AND the cheeseboard, if I can!” William said with a grin

“In that case………I shall have, the giant prawns grilled with lime and chilli to start, and then………yes, I’ll have the lobster special off the blackboard, the one with the creamy Champagne sauce”

Buffy closed her menu and put it down on the counter.

“Oh I missed that, that sounds good!” William said, and then he reopened his menu and continued,

“Hmm…nope, I’ll have what I first saw, the devilled crab. But I’m having the same starter as you!” he put his menu on top of Buffy’s.

The waiter took their order and asked if they wanted a medley of fresh vegetables or salad

“Oh, erm…” Buffy began, and William came to the rescue and said,

“Let’s have one of each, so we can have a bit of both then” Buffy readily agreed.

“Any wine sir?”

“Oh yes please, let’s push the boat out as we’re on holiday, we’ll have a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Champagne please”

“You do like Champagne?” William suddenly asked

“Hmm I LOVE it! Wow!” William smiled and the waiter left to get it.

“Champagne eh, you’re spoiling me!” Buffy said

“And there’s nobody else I’d like to spoil more!” William said boldly.

Buffy’s face went a delicate shade of pink, but she was loving it – she was definitely going to tell Mrs Bellamy she’d stay the extra two days, and after that, well who knows………

ooOOoo

The evening was a great success, the conversation flowed as easily as the Champagne, and because Buffy was full, they had the intimacy of a shared crème brulee for pudding. They had coffee and brandies, and when it came time to go Buffy stood and felt a little light headed, she giggled.

“You okay?” William asked concerned

“I’m fine – it’s the Champagne, I’ll be fine when I get a little air outside!”

“Do you want to go straight back to the hotel?”

Buffy frowned and said

“Oh no! I’m having wayyyy too much fun!”

William smiled and she took his arm and they walked along the harbour. The tide was nearly in and the little boats bobbed on the water, some had lights on and they sparkled and danced on the lapping water. A huge white moon shone down from an inky-black sky and Buffy was amazed at the stars.

“Wow – I’ve never seen so many stars – my goodness, it’s like I could reach and touch them!”

“I love that too – it’s a shame, light pollution stops us seeing them where we live…look at them out to sea, where there’s no light at all, except can you see that little pulsing light off to the right there, hold on………there – did you see it?!”

“Oh yes!”

“That’s the lighthouse on Barney’s Bit!” William told her, and they grinned at each other.

A gust of wind got up and Buffy shivered and put her cardigan on properly.

“Are you okay love, warm enough?”

“Yes thanks, I am now!” William put his arm around her and they walked to the Chichester Arms, the pub they had the late lunch that afternoon

“Let’s have a nightcap, you don’t have to have alcohol, you can have a juice or a soda if you prefer” Will said. They went inside and Buffy took a seat by the fire.

She’d ordered another brandy, so William had the same. They sat sipping them by the fire.

Buffy yawned and apologised

“I’m sorry, but I was up at 6 am this morning – thought I might sleep on the coach but there were children on there who had other ideas!”

“I understand. Well I can’t remember when I’ve enjoyed and evening so much, or the company!” William said

Buffy smiled and leant across and squeezed his hand saying,

“Me neither!” And then she added,

“So what time will we meet tomorrow morning?”

“Um...10.30am – if that’s alright with you, I’ll come to your hotel and meet you?”

“Perfect!”

They finished their drinks and William walked her back to her hotel

“It’s been a fantastic evening, well for me it has anyway!” William said standing in front of her.

“Hmm, me too – thanks it was just…just perfect” They smiled at each other. A gust of wind made Buffy shiver

“You get inside, I’ll see you in the morning, 10.30 okay?” William half turned to go, but Buffy put her hand on his arm and she leant in a dropped a soft kiss on his lips –

“Thank you” she barely whispered. William took a sharp intake of breath, homed in and planted a real smackeroony of a kiss and Buffy just melted into his arms…with the tiniest of squeaks…

“Oh!”

“Sorry…I – I wanted to do that all night!” William said, Buffy nodded, not having quite recovered, but recovered enough for her to home in this time!

Both of them panting when they came up for air, William whispered,

“If I’m to remain a gentleman, I MUST go!”

“Night Will…see you in the morning!” She turned and went indoors. She didn’t remember climbing the stairs, she floated up!

William walked back to the cottage with a silly big grin on his face!”

ooOOoo

“………So in worst case scenario, I could be looking at paying out what sort of amount do you reckon?” Angel asked.

“Sky’s the limit. Who has he got as a lawyer, do you know?”

“Er hold on…I think it says on the writ…” Angel said, and then he continued,

“Oh, it doesn’t say”

“Who issued the writ, I might be able to tell by the name of the writ issuer”

“Um…Larry………Larry somebody I think”

“Oh god, not Larry Mason?”

“That’s the guy, why, what’s the matter?” A sinking feeling Angel had in his stomach was telling him there was more bad news to come…

“Larry Mason only works for the best, he ALWAYS gets his man as they say, he works for the senior partners at Wolfram, Hart and Shipton, the preliminary hearing and one day in court alone would cost you around $125,000.Then there would be our fee as you lost…then there’s the half million Abrams wants…” Angel closed his eyes. There was a knock at the door and he excused himself over the phone

“Come in Cordy”

Cordelia came in very sheepishly, carrying Angel’s mobile phone, at arms length, saying with a pained expression,

“He absolutely INSISTS on speaking to you”

Angel could hear yelling, frowning he took the phone off Cordelia and said

“Who is it, hello?”

“Angel Stebson – you have made a fool out of me! Well – no more! I will have back my million dollars by the time the banks close tomorrow!”

“Arreeza?”

“PRINCE Arreeza to you, Your Highness to you, you give me back my money and you keep your junk so called art! I must have been blind not to see it for what it was!”

“But I can’t, I mean you – oh god come ON! This isn’t fair, you bought that fair and square!” Angel said, panic now setting in

“Well now, I’m UN-buying it – you have made me a laughing stock – ‘Look at the junk Little Arreeza buys, doesn’t know camel shit from gold’ – that’s what they are saying about me!”

“I’ve won art prizes, how dare they, how dare YOU!”

“By tomorrow night, else you’ll find out how bad an enemy I can be!” The line went dead. Shakily Angel handed Cordelia the phone back and she went back into her office.

“Er, did you hear any of that?” Angel asked his lawyer

“Um yeah, all of it…so that’s a million on top of any figure I give you what you are likely to pay out”

“Oh god, this can’t be happening – it can’t! – What the fuck am I going to do!”

“Well, you never know, maybe the publicity may heighten interest in your work” the lawyer said without much conviction – having seen a ‘coffee table’ book on modern art that contained some of his clients previous works of bits of rusting metal, an old washing machine and a punctured tyre………

“Doubt it, I’ve tried everybody I know who’s bought my stuff before, and this fucking credit crunch couldn’t have come at a worse time!”

“Uh huh, well look Mr Stebson, I’ll see you on the 17th when you come back to New York for the preliminary hearing, and we’ll take it from there, chin up eh? – Goodbye!”

“Yeah, okay, bye” Angel heaved a sigh and put the receiver on the cradle.

He’d got a million and one questions running around his head – one, how the fuck did somebody like this Abrams guy afford lawyers like Wolfram, Hart and Shipton – two, how on earth was he going to pay back Arreeza, and three, not just him, if he lost the court case – how much more would he end up shelling out –

“Oh fuck, Fuck, FUCK!” Angel stood and kicked the coffee table. There was a smash and tinkle of glass as it hit the wall. Cordelia came flying out of the office. She looked at the mess of the coffee table and then at Angel, who was standing, with his hands on his head.

“What am I going to do Cordy? What the fuck am I going to do?”

“Well, wrecking the office isn’t going to help, THAT’S for sure”

ooOOoo
Chapter 14 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 14

The wind blew and Buffy grabbed the hand offered to her as she walked up the wharf steps on Barney’s Bit. The crossing to the Island had been like glass, smooth and relaxing.

She felt wonderful, she’d had a fantastic nights sleep, a great breakfast, William was right, the air did do wonders for her appetite, she managed to eat a bowl of cornflakes, two rashers, two sausages, a grilled tomato and an egg and a slice of toast – plus extra toast and marmalade! A tall orange juice and a cup of tea rounded it off, and she hoped to do some walking today to help keep the pounds she was going to put on at bay!!

“You sure you didn’t mind me bringing this?” William asked indicating his sketch book

They were sitting in the grounds of the ruined castle, Buffy was lying down in the hot sun, William was sketching.

“Of course not!” She propped herself up on her elbows and nodded her head so her sunglasses fell into place.

William was sketching the castle, but he’d also done a view of the lighthouse too.

He put the sketch pad down, and lay on his side, head propped up looking at her.

“There are some lovely views around here!” Buffy said.

“I know, I’m looking at the best one!” William said boldly, and Buffy blushed, she leant forward and kissed him softly.

“You say the sweetest things!”

William was very aware of what the kiss did to him, but he was also aware that there were a lot of people around, children too.

“It’s true” he said quietly, and then added,

“I’ve drawn you, you know!”

“Have you – let me look!”

“Oh, not here…at the gallery. When you eat your lunch – it was where I first noticed you. When I’m there, I, well, I used to live for your lunch time. I used to clock watch, couldn’t wait until ten past twelve.” Buffy turned on her side, mirroring his position, smiling at him.

“Go on!”

“I used to pray nobody would sit by you, or be with you…one day this big continental coach blocked the way, I went out…made a right idiot of myself – but you were gone when it left, it was only a few minutes, but I felt cheated!”

“Cheated?” Buffy asked still smiling, she looked into his face, he had THE most amazing blue eyes, long dark lashes, soft lips…

“Yeah – it robbed me of the last few minutes of seeing you…”

“Oh William!” She cupped his cheek. He really did say the sweetest things, and she could feel herself falling for him. It was amazing, but she felt like she’d known him ages, not just a brief meeting a few weeks back anyway!

William lay down properly, and let the sun hit his face.

“Golly, it’s as hot as LA here!”

“Hotter I think………can we go to the monkey house after lunch?”

“Sure we can – you hungry, what time is it?”

“It’s only 11.35, let’s stay here a while, do some more sketching, we can lunch in an hour, okay?” Buffy said

“Fine by me love!”


ooOOoo


“Hello Cordy, what can I do for you?” Angel answered his mobile

“Hi, look, my dad’s friend has got a plane, he said he’s going to New York on the 16th of this month, he’ll take us if you want, I know it’s a day or two early, but I thought it would save having to buy flight tickets, all it will cost is insurance, that’s $40 a piece, what do you say?”

“Really – Well that’s great Cordy, thanks babe”

“Okay, I’ll tell him”

“Thanks Cordy, I do appreciate it”

She ended the call. Smiling that he hadn’t got to fork out hundreds of dollars for flights back to New York, one word suddenly hit Angel………’Insurance’…………………………

ooOOoo

Buffy was giggling uncontrollably at the monkey’s antics.

“Look at that one, there, he’s hysterical, keeps showing me his butt!”

“See that one over there” William pointed one out sitting at a table pouring ‘tea’ from a teapot

“The one at the table yeah!”

“Don’t you think he looks like Xander when he’s concentrating?” William said laughing

“Oh my God he does – he does!” Buffy leant against the wall she was weak from laughing.

William was reading how the sanctuary came to have the monkeys, they were used in adverts on TV for tea, they originally came from a zoo that had since closed. Splitting the monkeys up to go to different places had them pining and misbehaving, so as not to split the troupe up, they came here in 1990.

As they were watching them, a monk entered the cage with a bowl full of prepared fruit, and the one that had made Buffy laugh immediately bounded over to him for a cuddle.

“Aww look, isn’t that sweet!”

The monk bent down and picked up the washing-up bowl of prepared fruit and offered it to him. The monkey took a banana and some pineapple and quickly climbed along the cage roof and off. Soon all the others came around the table where the monk tipped the contents of the bowl. They shrieked and ‘chattered’ like children, squabbling over the choicest pieces and the monk smiled as he left the cage.

William continued to read the info on the monkeys and showed it to Buffy.

“See this, it says here that the supermarkets on the mainland send them all the unsold fruit, cakes, sandwiches and bread to help keep the costs down, but the eight monkeys get through roughly 20lb of fruit and veg, four loaves of toast and treats such as cake every day!”

“Wow – but that’s good of the supermarkets! I shall leave them a donation before I go, they’ve given me a great laugh and they’re so cute!” Buffy said as they left.

“Right, butterfly house next, it’s………yes, this way” They checked at the fingerpost and made their way down to what looked like a huge glass green house. It was very humid inside; that was because most of the butterflies, insects and moths were tropical and needed tropical plants to survive, hence the temperature to recreate the jungle. They saw the most beautiful of butterflies, the colours were amazing, huge as dinner plates some of them, and stick insects that you had to look really hard to see, and praying mantis that looked like the succulent leaves of a cactus!

As they walked around, Buffy’s hand kept bumping against William’s, and the third time it happened, Buffy felt warm fingers close around hers

“Is that alright?” William asked tentatively

“It’s fine!” Buffy said, giving his fingers a little squeeze.

They walked around and then decided to go for lunch.

“Inside or out?” William asked

“Let’s sit outside, but under one of those big umbrellas, give us a little shade”

“I seem to have done little but eat and drink since I got here!” Buffy said, eyeing the huge filled baguette that the waitress put in front of her.

“Hmm, but yum, that looks good!”

Buffy had chosen chicken tikka and salad for her filling, William had chosen poached salmon with lime mayo.

ooOOoo

“Cordy, it’s me sorry to trouble you, have you got the gallery agreement for the exhibition, I need to check something”

“Er yes, it’s filed you want the original copy?”

“No, just a photocopy will do, when your ready, please” Angel said

Cordy was quite surprised at Angel being ‘nice’…’sorry to trouble you’, ‘please’ – when did Angel last say please to anybody?

“Er okay two minutes” She said

Two minutes later she appeared with the copy of the agreement.

“Here you go!” She turned to go and Angel said,

“Um Cord, Cordy, would you do me a favour?”

She quirked a brow and Angel continued,

“Can I borrow your car – please?”

“My car – why, what’s wrong with yours?”

“Nothing! It just, well it’s a bit of a gas-guzzler…and um, I want to go out of town, to see a friend…you know, tightening belts and that!” he gave her a weak smile

“Sure, okay…but how do *I* get home then?”

“You can take the viper of course, fair’s fair – although DO be careful with it, don’t wrap it around a tree or anything. When I get back from, um my trip, I’ll drop it at your place and pick my car up, deal?!”

Cordelia’s eyes were round from Angel saying she could drive his car. He was definitely up to something, but as to what, she hadn’t a clue.

“Cordy…well can I?”

“Huh – oh yes, um, sure, I’ll just get you the keys – there’s about half a tank of gas in it”

“Great, I’ll make sure you have half a tank when I bring it back”

Cordy went back upstairs to her office to get the keys, wondering just what Angel was up to.

Angel smiled and then a thought hit him, he needed a good cover story to tell Cordy…

“Here you go” She handed Angel the keys to her red Chrysler Cirrus LXI.

“Thanks love. I thought I’d better take a trip to see my accountant, see what assets I can sell if I need to raise some cash”

Cordelia nodded.

“Your keys?” She asked

“Oh, sorry, here you go!” he dipped into his pocket and handed her the keys. He also picked up the Spa pass intended for Buffy.

“Know somebody who’d use this – they don’t do refunds apparently”

Cordelia would have it for herself, despite telling him she didn’t want Buffy’s cast offs.

“You may as well take the rest of the day off”

Cordelia mouth fell open, but she quickly recovered – was she suddenly in Bizzarro World? Had aliens come down and taken the grumpy Angel and replaced him?

“You might as well” Angel continued

“But I thought you wanted me to find another venue for when the exhibition finished here in LA?”

“Well…nothing is going anywhere before tomorrow is it…you go and enjoy yourself”

Cordelia smiled a real genuine smile, she said ‘thanks’ and went,

It was only when Cordelia was lying on a massage bed, wrapped in a thermal cover having a Dead Sea Mineral Mud treatment, that she remembered Angel’s accountant was on holiday in Antigua, and wouldn’t be back until the end of the month…so just what was he REALLY up to?

ooOOoo

“You know what I’d really like to do tonight?” Buffy said

“What’s that?”

“Oh, first did you have plans?”

“No, go on!” William said smiling

“Well, I want to try fish and chips, outside – am I crazy? – I remember mom telling me this, coz she and my dad came to England for their honeymoon, they went to London, Oxford and a place called Breighton – have you heard of it, it’s by the sea somewhere?” William smiled, nodded and said yes, he’d heard of it, Buffy continued

“And she told me that they’d spent their money allowance for the day, well nearly all, and just had enough for fish and chips and they sat on the prom and ate them and she said it was the best meal she had, so could we do that, if you haven’t anything else to do?!”

William was grinning now, and he said,

“Of course we can, if that’s what you want. Are you…um, are you staying the extra two days?”

“Heck yes! Try keeping me away – besides which, there’s still SO much more I want to see down here – and you promised to show me the bay from your cottage don’t forget!”

“I haven’t forgotten!” William had butterflies in his stomach!! He reckoned he felt so excited they must have been the size of the ones he’d just seen in the butterfly house!

“Good…boy that was yummy…(she dabbed her mouth with her serviette). Oh and I want to go to that cider place you said, and have a Devon cream tea somewhere too…and listen to me, nothing will fit me when I get home – huh I don’t know about when I get home, nothing will fit me here the way I’m going, and I bought a lovely bikini in London too!”

The thought of seeing Buffy in a bikini had William suddenly crossing his legs and sitting forward…

“Tell you what…as you’re staying at least another two days, if it’s nice tomorrow, how about we have a day at the beach, not the resort one, the one at Thurlescoombe, renown for its surfing and soft golden sands, miles of it”

William suggested.

“Great. Got a Frisbee? I can get one, do some exercise!”

William laughed and said he was sure he’d seen one in a box at the cottage.

“Great! Right, lets go for a sunbathe and you can do some more sketching…what time have we got to be back on the boat?”

“Um…’bout two and half hours”

“Oh good, plenty of time to look at the Abbey too, shall we go?” William was up out of his chair in a trice. He picked up his sketch pad and Buffy reached for his hand. They left the tea-room and took a leisurely walk down to the Abbey hand in hand.

ooOOoo

Angel frowned as he tried to get past all the gobbledegook in the small print of the agreement he’d signed with the gallery to put on the exhibition.

From what he could make out from all the ‘herefor to’s and why where after’s, he could make out that his exhibits were covered up to 100 million dollars. That would do nicely Angel thought, and went onto read, the insurance would be paid out on theft (as long as burglar alarms had been set and there was adequate security) Fire, (as long as the latest fire certificates issued by the fire department were up to date, and there were no fire doors blocked, locked or in any way de-commissioned) flood or other ‘act of god’ such a s a tree falling on the place etc.

“Right then, that’ll do for me” Angel said to himself and stood, picking up Cordelia’s car keys. He needed to drive out to where nobody would know him.

oOo

“Two dozen?” The assistant said

“Um, uh huh” Angel said, his baseball cap pulled well down.

The assistant came back with the two dozen halogen lamps requested, and started to ring them up on the cash register.

“You DO know not to use them by anything flammable, don’t you?”

“Er yeah”

“They give off a lot of heat you know”

“Hmm, yeah I know” Angel mumbled

“There you go, 24 x $2.50 is $60”

Angel handed over the cash and took the carrier sack of lamp bulbs. All he had to do now, was swap them for the low-energy lamps that were used in the gallery and he was laughing. The resultant fire would not only destroy his work, but the lamps too as regards evidence, the insurance would pay out and he’d be back in clover………
End Notes:
Let me know what you think!!
Chapter 15 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 15


“Hmm...yum, yum, yum! I’m going to be as fat as a piggy!” Buffy savoured the hot fish and chips, she loved every mouthful.

She screwed the paper up around the polystyrene tray and threw it in the bin, wiping her fingers and mouth on a tissue.

“And now, I need a pint of ice cold lager to wash it down with, come on, I’ll buy the first one!”

William laughed as she grabbed his hand, but he didn’t budge off the bench seat.

“Don’t you want a drink?” Buffy asked smiling she walked back to him

William didn’t know what came over him, he grabbed her and plonked her on his lap, circling his arms around her as if not to let her go…

“I do want a drink, but more importantly, I want to know that you’re enjoying yourself”

She put her arm around his shoulders and rubbed noses with him, Eskimo style and then dropped a soft light kiss on his lips, and said

“I’m having the best time of my life!”

“Oh Buffy!” William captured her lips in a searing deep kiss, he felt her go limp and he held her tightly. Her soft pink tongue brushed his and he thought he’d soared to heaven. Her fingers threaded their way into his hair, her nails softly scratching his scalp making him shiver with delight.

Some lads drove past in a car and wolf-whistled them, some shouting for them to ‘get a room’, others saying, ‘you’re in there mate’ and such comments.

They broke the kiss and stared at one another for a second or two, and then they started giggling.

“Come on…I’m parching!” Buffy said and they went to the pub.

ooOOoo

Angel got to the gallery, and saw that Xander was talking to somebody, not just a somebody, but a very beautiful somebody at that. Hoping it was a potential customer, he strode up to them confidently and stuck out his hand to the woman Xander was talking to.

“Hi, I’m Angel Stebson, this is my exhibition”

“Yes, I know who you are, I’m Lilah, Lilah Charles, from Art World Magazine. I was just talking to Mr Harris here, if you’ll excuse me?” The woman turned her back on Angel leaving him feeling a bit of an idiot…

“So if you could get Mr Giles to contact me, preferably before the end of the month?”

“Well he IS on holiday until the end of the month, he doesn’t get back here to the gallery until the second of next month, but he does phone me sometimes, just to see how things are ticking over, so I shall tell him then.” Xander explained

“It is a golden opportunity to see some excellent artwork from all over the world tell him”

“I will, well thank you Miss Charles, it’s been an absolute pleasure meeting you”

She beamed at Xander and thought what a very nice assistant William Giles had. When she’d gone Angel ambled over to Xander and said,

“Journalists huh, always wanting something!”

“Yes. Oh, you had a call from the Saxo Gallery, I left a message on the pad for you as your assistant isn’t here”

“Oh, right thanks”

“Well I’ll be going now, bye” Xander said. He made his way to the office to close down the computer and check everything was set and then he could go home.

Angel had dropped the halogen lamps at his home and hid them. He’d paid for the exhibition up front, it was pointless not to get his ‘money’s worth’ out of the time left, so he’d decided to leave things until the middle of the last week. That gave him roughly two weeks, then he’d do it – he’d burn the place down…

ooOOoo

“I’ve told Mrs Bellamy that I’m staying the extra two days.”

“Good” William swallowed, he wanted to know her plans after that but was frightened to ask, he didn’t want this to end, her being with him, and if he knew for definite that she was leaving he’d be counting the hours and being miserable and ruining things….

“Hello….earth to Will – come in Will!”

“Sorry, miles away!”

“I said, there’s so much I want to do here, you’ll have to help me find another hotel, Mrs Bellamy said she’s fully booked after my extra two days and she’s very sorry but I’ve got to go!”

“Is she…I mean have you oh, well that’s no problem – you can come and stay at the cottage with me”

Buffy looked at him and blinked

“Oh strictly above board- I mean you can have your own room! I’ve paid for the cottage for the month, and it sleeps up to four, although with that many in there you’d have to be intimately acquainted – or rather you would be! But for there’s ample room for two”

“Are you sure – that would be terrific!”

“It would? – You mean you will?” William’s shocked appearance suddenly turned to joy!

“It would be fantastic – that way we can start out on our outings straight away, together – that’s if, well you still want to go places – I understand if you need to stay here and sketch and- “

William put his hand over hers and said

“There is nothing more in this world I’d love than to take you out and about, and I was thinking, how about if I rent a car for a few days we could go down to Cornwall and up to North Devon or Somerset I can sketch there, good a places as any!”

Buffy clapped her hands as would an excited child

“That would be wonderful! Oh William, this is the best holiday I’ve ever had!” She grabbed him and gave him a real smackeroony kiss and then they both giggled!

ooOOoo


Buffy stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around herself. She heard her mobile ring and went and answered it, she saw it was William calling and hoped it wasn’t to cancel their date; the morning was grey and windy…

“Hi Will, is everything okay?”

“Not beach weather is it babe?” Buffy looked out of her small bedroom window, there were a few spots of rain

“No, suppose not, it’s raining now too!” she felt crestfallen

“Well how about we go to the cider factory on the little train today instead, we can go to the beach when the weather picks up”

Buffy really perked up at this, smiled and said

“Yeah, okay then, that would be great – I thought you were phoning to just cancel and that you were fed up with me!”

“Silly girl – see you in an hour then babe?”

“I’ll be ready – what shall I wear?”

“Well, I’m wearing jeans, a sweatshirt and a light zip up jacket!” William said

“Okay, I can do that, hour then, bye!”

“Bye babe!”

Buffy went down to breakfast, and had her usual of cereal and a full English, knowing that she’d only do this once more and then she’d be with William at the cottage.


ooOOoo


“What did your accountant say to you the other day?” Cordelia asked as they made their way to Home Security.

“My accountant?”

“You borrowed my car, you said-“ Cordelia began, she KNEW he was up to something.

“Oh – well I didn’t see my regular guy, he’s on holiday, I saw Whistler, he keeps an over-all eye on things…” Angel said

“I know. I wondered what you were up to!” Cordelia said honestly. Angel knew he’d have to be careful.

“Well basically, my early retirement plans are screwed, my investments are screwed, and if I lose here this week, I’m TOTALLY screwed, got nothing left Cordy”

“You’re joking!”

“I wish I was…the beach house in Malibu will have to go for a start, I can just about pay the builders off – they’ve ripped the guts out of it, and I’m gonna have to sell it at a loss now… The Hampton’s house will have to go, I can’t afford it. I lost that house in Australia because of the fires…three of my cars, the Lotus, the DB9 and the Ferrari Testarosa have been re-possessed – or rather they will be sometime this week, I haven’t kept up with the payments. – The $5 million I had with shares is now worth zilch – I’m just broke – plus Prince Arreeza wants his $1 million dollars back – and if this court thing goes belly-up then I’m right royally screwed, and I’ll have to file for bankruptcy”

“But what about those ‘off-shore’ accounts of yours?” Cordelia asked as they went through security

Angel narrowed his eyes at her and asked

“What do you know about those?”

Cordelia shrugged and said

“Nothing, just a lucky guess, I KNEW with a guy like Whistler you’d be bound to have at least one”

“Well that’s what I’ve been living off…and other people”

“Like whom?”

“Rack for one thing, man have I got to cut my ties with him...he alone can do $50,000 dollars worth of coke in a day, plus other stuff – booze what have you”

“Angel…I’ve got something to tell you, and you’re not going to like it”

Angel just looked at her

“What?”

“When we get into the office”

“Huh, that place will have to go too $30,000 a month for what – I’m hardly here”

OO

In the office, Angel sat cradling his head – this was the last straw – a Tax bill for $3 million dollars – it wasn’t fair!



ooOOoo

Will and Buffy got the bus into Torrington, and got on the little train. The train got quite packed and soon they were off. Buffy found the cider house fascinating, especially as the guide told them there were cider’s to drink like soda, some to drink like beer, some to drink like wine and some to treat like a spirit. They did the tour and went onto the tastings, and then they went for lunch.

The weather had picked up considerably, and after lunch they had a stroll around the shops. William bought himself a few art materials and a book, and Buffy bought some souvenirs and some suncream, her nose was quite sunburnt!

William was bold enough to presume, and asked

“So, what are we doing tonight?”

“Well, Buffy began with a smile, and continued, I was thinking I’d take YOU out to dinner – Mrs Bellamy was telling me that hold on…(she narrowed her eyes thinking) the Anchor pub up in the town does and excellent steak – do you fancy it – my treat?”

“Only if it’s my treat!”

“No, my treat or nothing!”

“Okay then, I shall look forward to that!” William said

“Good, you can come for me at 7.30pm!”
End Notes:
Are you nearly ready for the smut yet?
Chapter 16 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 16

Central Court, NY………

“Judge, please, throw this ridiculous case out! There’s no charge to answer –My client made the art-work, not Mr Abrams!”

“And if MY client hadn’t thrown away his meal, there wouldn’t BE an artwork to quibble over! Mr Abrams clearly contributed to the work. He wants 50% of the profit, surely that isn’t too much to ask?”

The judge looked at both lawyers, and at the ‘so-called’ artist, the ‘art work’, and then she made up her mind, and said

“I’m going to let this one go the distance, I’m interested to see what the public think! The court will recess now – bring your cases to me ready for the ………26th of this month!” She banged down the gavel and everybody left.

“I thought you were certain it would be thrown out!” Angel hissed at Alan, his lawyer.

“Angel, you knew you’d more than likely have to fight this case, let it go, come on” Cordelia said, her hand on his arm. She’d just slipped her cell-phone back into her bag

“Come on, if we’re quick back to the airport, Dick said he can take us back as far as Salt Lake City, we can get a Greyhound Bus from there”

Angel nodded, and bless her, she didn’t even mention the shoes she wanted.

ooOOoo

“……Okay, I’ll have the Farmhouse Pâté to start, then the fillet steak Tournedos Rossini, with steak fries and a side salad please!” Buffy said closing her menu and handing it back to the waiter. William opened his menu, looked and said,

“Tournedos Rossini, let me see what…hmm, rounds of fillet steak served on a crouton, with a rich meat sauce containing red wine, shallots and smoked bacon, that all sounds good to me, make that twice” William said and handed his menu back too.

“Any wine, sir?”

“Shall we have a bottle of house red?” William asked, Buffy nodded and the waiter left

“I was thinking…are you packed, your clothes and stuff?”

“Yup, all except my wash-bag toiletries and what I’m going to wear tomorrow, why?”

“Well, I was thinking, if I take your cases back to my place tonight, you can check-out in the morning after breakfast with the minimum amount of fuss, and we can get to the beach early before the car-park fills up, they forecast a scorcher tomorrow”

“Okay, great! I’ll get a bag ready for the beach – that’s brilliant!” They grinned at each other.

“I’ve asked Mrs Appleton to make us up a picnic for the beach, she said she’d be glad to”

“That was nice…did you find a Frisbee?” Buffy asked grinning.

“I did, but don’t worry, there’s a beach shop that sells everything from buckets and spades to sun-loungers, from beach balls to surf boards!”

“Would you like to taste the wine sir?”

“No, I’m sure it will be okay, you can pour thanks” The waiter poured the drinks for them and Buffy spied their starters coming

William picked up his glass, and said,

“Well here’s to…”

“Us – here’s to us!” Buffy said boldly, ‘chinking’ William’s glass against hers. Williams face broke out into the most beautiful of smiles, he’s wanted to say that, but didn’t have the guts!

“Oh definitely, to us!” they drank the toast and their starters were laid before them

“Oh looks yummy!” Buffy said – she’d gone pink from her own boldness, but from William’s reaction, he didn’t mind at all – which was a great thing, because she knew, she was falling for him, fast!

ooOOoo

“Can you manage, I’ve got half of Oxford Street in that big case!” Buffy said as William struggled down the stairs of the Seaview hotel. He manoeuvred the cases out of the door and said,

“I’ll manage, saves me having to go to the gym, I’ll pick you up at 10 in the morning, or just before, I get the car at 9.30am” William said

“Okay, mind how you go!” Goodnight William” She gave him a kiss on the cheek as he was holding the cases and they were heavy. Half a bottle of red wine had given him the courage to say,

“Is that all I get to keep my strength up on the way home?”

Buffy grinned and planted a smacker on his lips

“Go, sooner you go, I can get to bed, then it’ll be morning!” William grinned and left saying,

“Night babe!”

ooOOoo

Morning dawned with the sun high in a clear blue sky, the seagulls were screeching, and Buffy was sitting in the resident’s lounge reading a newspaper waiting for William. She’d paid her bill and was waiting for William he was a little late, it was already 5 past 10…

Next thing there was a toot on the car horn outside, Buffy looked out and saw William getting out of the car.
She picked up her beach-bag, thanked Mrs Bellamy for a wonderful stay and went out to meet him. Mrs Bellamy watched them through the window and thought what a wonderful couple they made.


“Wow, you look Terrific, as usual!” William hugged her and gave her a light kiss. Buffy grinned, she was wearing a new blue sundress, it was light and floaty; and underneath to save time she was already wearing her bikini.

William was wearing cut-offs, and a sweatshirt, he looked really relaxed.

“I’ve got the car hired for 12 days, that should be long enough to get us out and about” Buffy nodded and got in. She put her bag on the back seat and then she buckled up.

“All set?”

“Sure am, I’ve been looking forward to this!”

“Me too!”

William parked right by the ‘Pay-and-Display’ ticket machine, Buffy got her bag from the back seat. William opened the boot (trunk) of the car and got the picnic box out and a rolled up blanket. They crossed the road hand in hand, and walked to the beach.

Buffy was wearing flip-flops, William took his shoes off. The sand felt warm beneath their feet, they chose a spot by some rocks, William spread out a tartan blanket. Buffy sat down, began to take her towel and lotion out of her bag. By the shadow he was casting, she could see he was stripping off.

She couldn’t resist looking up, just as he was taking off his sweat-shirt. ‘Oh wow’ she thought, the demin cut offs were tight, she could see a very big hefty bulge in the front, and she shivered deliciously. His physique was perfect, strong chest and shoulders, bulging biceps, and beautiful washboard abs. He obviously worked out and took care of himself… Buffy actually salivated, oh, how she longed to run her hands over those abs!

– You never know, offer the old sun cream… She too stood, reached around and undid the zip on her dress. It slipped to the blanket and she stepped out of it - and she looked sensational, just a series of taut, black triangles covering her modesty! William’s eyes nearly popped

“Wow, you look- wow - sensational” William said in all seriousness. Deciding to be bold, Buffy smiled looked up at him said,

“And the view from where I’m standing is sensational, too… Factor 10?” She took a bottle of lotion out of her beach-bag and held it out to him. Nodding, William knelt on the blanket.

Buffy flipped the lid, squirted some on his shoulders, rubbed it in down his arms too. She was standing behind him, worked more cream down his back. William was practically cross-eyed with pleasure, he bit his lip, and then he felt the sun on his back and knew she’d shifted around the front. He was SO glad that the cut offs he was wearing were tight! Lightly she worked the cream over his smooth chest and abs, she said,

“Here, hold out your hand, you can do your feet.” She squirted some into his palm. Then she began to cover herself in cream. William said,

”Shall I do your back for you?”

“Please” She passed him the bottle. She couldn’t help but let out a little groan of pleasure as his strong hands worked over her golden shoulder blades.

“Oh, that’s SO good, I have a knot sometimes…… you’ve really hit the spot!” Buffy’s head fell to one side, and William couldn’t resist kissing her neck. She caught a breath, again let out a little ‘ah’ and bit her lip.

To William, the sound was so erotic, her golden breasts looked…he swallowed, closed his eyes, blew air up his face, then he was confronted by the sight of her perfect twin golden globes of her bottom peeping over a tight black triangle of fabric. Buffy spied a Frisbee in the basket.

“Shall we, before it gets too crowded?” William nodded and smiled. Buffy flicked her wrist, threw it, and it floated gently across to him. They did this for a good ten minutes, then teasing, William said,

“Anyone ever tell you, you throw like a girl?” Grinning, Buffy threw it hard, and as he caught it, it came a little sharp in his hand.

“Ow!” He grinned waving his hand in the air, like he’d been caned!

“Serves you right, wuss!”

“Right, no holding back” He giggled, threw it hard at her, she caught it with effortless ease, and on the out ward swing of her arm threw it back, bullet fast. William jumped up to catch it, but it sailed over his head. Both laughing he turned ran to fetch it, picked it up ran up the beach back to where he’d been standing.

“Hmm, not big on throwing games, you Brits, are you?” Buffy teased.

“I’ll get you for that remark, Yank!” He threw the Frisbee high, but Buffy leapt up with cat-like grace, and caught it.

“Wow”

“Who are you calling names!” Will caught the Frisbee again, but kept hold of it, ran towards her, laughing. He began to tickle her, and she giggled, they both fell on the blanket laughing, Buffy had her knees bent, feet flat on the blanket. William kissed her. Buffy’s one leg slid straight, she gasped and writhed slightly, the little mewling sound she made had him full of desire.

“I, I um, I’d better stop that!” he sat back on his haunches, ran a hand through his hair. Buffy propped herself up on her elbows, one leg still bent, she tipped her glasses down her nose gave him a sexy smile, said

“Yes, you had, till we can be alone and more private” Her tongue slowly licked its way across her top lip.

Was that a promise? William had spent half the night awake just thinking what it was going to be like her living with him the next week or so – ‘please god don’t let me mess it up’ was a constant thought, the other constant thought was the sleeping arrangements…he decided that the only gentlemanly thing to do, was to give Buffy the bedroom with the proper bed, and he’d take the lounge with the pull out sofa-bed. There were plenty of sheets and pillows in the cupboard, along with another duvet and towels. Mrs Appleton said that he’d only got to ask if he wanted more.

Gradually the beach began to fill up, they watched the surfers coming in on high rollers, children playing cricket and football and toddlers being swathed in sun cream and paddling.

They sunbathed, read, chatted and then Buffy announced she was hungry.

“What’s the time?”

“Er…golly, it’s ten to one!” William said

“What’s in the picker-nic basket Boo-Boo?” Buffy did her ‘bad’ impression of Huckleberry Hound

“Er let me see…we have sandwiches of farmhouse cheddar with onion chutney, home cooked honey roast ham…fruit…crisps and some juice – oh and cake I think… yeah, chocolate cake! – Looks yummy!”

“Sounds it! I don’t know what’s got into me down here, I seem to be permanently hungry!!” Buffy took a bite of one of the sandwiches and scrunched up her shoulders. Before taking the next bite she said,

“What are we doing tonight?”

William smiled and said,

“Ah, tonight, well if you’ve no objections, I thought I’d cook for you”

Buffy’s brows rose and she smiled

“You cook? – Of course you cook, you told me you live on your own! – So what are we having”

“Well don’t expect anything fancy, just a roast chicken, and I’ve made up a bowl of salad and scrubbed some potatoes for baking”

“Wonderful! Do we have dessert?”

“Ah now pudding…only good little girls get pudding!” William said with a grin

“Oh…don’t say that! I’d planned on being quite naughty later!”

William caught a breath, and they both looked at each other for a second before collapsing in fits of giggles.
Chapter 17 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 17

“Come in, come in! – William led the way into the cottage.

“Its small but cosy, right this is the sitting room, over there is the bedroom, kitchen through there, and that’s the bathroom – I expect you want a shower to get rid of the sand”

“If that’s okay – I won’t use all the hot water!”

“I’ve put your cases in the bedroom, there are hangers in the wardrobe, and I’ve just used the bottom draw of the chest of draws for my stuff, the rest are for you. And in case you’re wondering, this – (he patted the back of the sofa) is a pull-out bed, and is where I’ll sleep”

Buffy smiled and thought, ‘bless him’ – and said,

“Right, I’ll go for my shower – oh um…is there-“

“I’ve put you fresh towels on the bed” William said, pre-empting her question

“Thanks, won’t be long!”

ooOOoo

Ten minutes later, Buffy appeared in the sitting room in a towelling robe and her hair in a towel turban.

“That was lovely, so refreshing!”

William smiled, he was looking out of the big picture window out to sea, sketching some small boats

“Coffee?”

“Hmm, love some!” William got up and poured her a mug-full from the coffee machine he’d bought with him.

“Can’t do without my good coffee!” Buffy unfurled the turban and rubbed her hair vigorously.

“Would you like to go for a run out in the car after dinner? – There’s a lovely little place called Leigh, got some great views, and a big coaching inn called the Plough, I’ll stick to orange juice, I promise”

Buffy smiled and said,

“Could we go tomorrow instead, I was thinking a bottle of wine and a night in?”

“Okay, great!”

“Shall I go fetch some?”

“No need, I’ve got several bottles in the fridge, and some lager, some bitter too” William said grinning

“Great, we can snuggle on the sofa, listen to some music and talk”

“That sounds just the ticket!” William said.

ooOOoo

They were both on the sofa, Buffy had her head on Williams shoulder, she had her body turned to his and he had his arm around her. A little owlishly he drained the second bottle of wine between their glasses…Buffy was talking

“ ………………So THAT holiday was an absolute disaster, no thanks to me I suppose – dad never came home after it, he went straight to grandma’s from the airport, and mom filed for divorce. It was the last proper holiday I had until now. Dad was going to pay for me to go to London for my 21st, but then he announced that he and his girlfriend were having a baby…………………………………………following year house had to have all the plumbing done………………………holidays came around again, mom had been having really bad headaches and the doctor sent her for tests, told her not to fly as the pressure could make them worse, so………………”

“………And then I opened the gallery, that was four years ago. Do you know, I almost met your mother once…” When William got no response, he looked down at her, she had her eyes closed, so he whispered

“I’m sorry pet, you must be dead beat” he dropped a small kiss on her forehead and went to sit up, Buffy opened her eyes and smiled

“Tell me”

“Another time, you’re sleepy”

“But I’m too comfy to move! – Five more minutes, please?” William smiled and settled back and she snuggled in.

“Okay then. I was five years ago, and I was at an exhibition of African Art at the Metropolitan Museum in Seattle, and a friend of mine said that an exhibition of Aborigine art was coming to LA, was I interested in seeing it? Well I obviously was, and asked where it was, and he told me the place, it happened to be your mom’s gallery”

“I remember that..............you didn’t get to see it though, no?”

“No, my father passed away quite suddenly, so I had to come to England. By the time I’d sorted his monetary affairs out and stuff, the exhibition was well gone by the time I got back”

“Mom made me do the hostessing at it. I remember being in a foul mood most of the time coz my dad had just reneged on the money for me to come to London! So it was a good job you never saw me then, I had a permanent scowl on my face!”

“You’d have still looked beautiful to me” William said. Buffy shifted her head slightly to look up at him

“You say the sweetest things” William lowered his head and rubbed her nose with his once, he whispered her name,

She felt his soft lips capture hers, tentative, light as a butterfly’s wing at first, barely touching hers. She raised her hand and threaded her fingers into his hair, pulling him down towards her

A series of quick soft open mouthed kisses teased her, before she opened her mouth and felt is tongue invade her mouth – shivery tingles ran through her body and she held onto him tightly, pulling him closer to her body. His tongue plundered her soft mouth, fought a duel with hers, causing her to make the most delicious little mewling sounds at the back of her throat.

William suddenly pulled away and tried to sit up.

“I’m sorry! – I…I shouldn’t have done that!”

Buffy sat up and said softly

“Hey, no complaints here – in fact if anything the opposite is true, why did you stop!”

William stood and ran a hand through his hair, he turned his body away from her as he’d got a hard-on like a steel bar…

“Sorry – it’s just that I don’t want you to think…I mean I didn’t ask you here to…what I’m trying to say is, I don’t want you feeling obliged that you…oh god I’m hopeless, I’m doing this all wrong!” he sat with his head in his hands. Buffy knelt and put her hands on his shoulders from behind him. She put her head next to his and said,

“Oh sweet, sweet William! I know what you’re trying to say, you don’t want me to think that just because I’m here you think you can - how shall I put it, take advantage of the situation, is that it?”

William looked at her

“You’re so beautiful and I don’t want to louse things up, I’m hopeless with women, always have been…I’ve – I’ve never had a proper girlfriend before”

Buffy gave him a squeeze and got up off the bed and came and knelt in front of him

“Well, you’ve got one now”

“You mean..”

“Yes I mean! I’d be proud to call you my boyfriend!” William smiled. Buffy wound her arms around his neck and pulled him into a passionate kiss. They broke for air, panting. Buffy stood up and took William by the hand.

“Turn the lamp off” She said quietly. William did as he was told, and Buffy led him to the bedroom. He stopped at the door

“Are you sure about this? I mean don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing I’d love more than to – “ Buffy put a finger to his lips and whispered,

“No more talk, it’s what I want, what I think we both want, yes?” William nodded and followed her into the bedroom…………………

ooOOoo

“Stop fiddling with it!” Cordelia frowned at Angel

“But I’m hot!” Angel moaned, trying to direct the small over-head air duct to his sweating face

“So am I, but if you sit still you’ll cool down. Besides, get used to it, this is how you may have to travel for a while”

His mobile phone beeped, indicating he’d got a text message.

It read ‘Prince Arreeza wishes you to telephone him most urgently’ It made him smile, the preciseness of the message, no text-speak for his secretary.

“Oh well, in for a penny…Angel said, flipping to the menu page, stored numbers, then he clicked two down to the princes’ number.

“Your highness”

“I’ve decided to be generous, I’ll give you to the end of the week to pay me, and if you don’t………just watch your back”

The line went dead

“Cord, Cordy…Cordy did you hear that?” Angel asked turning in his seat towards her.

“Hmm? – I’m TRYING to sleep – did I hear what?”

“Arreeza – bastard making threats now coz I haven’t paid him. You think they’d find a way to record on these things, they take photos and store bits of video…I’m worried he might do something”

Cordelia closed her eyes again and lent her head against the window

“Such as?”

Angel had to be careful, he was thinking of saying ‘burning down the gallery’ but Cordelia would point out to him that the gallery was nothing to do with him, it was only a place of exhibition.

“Well I don’t know! Have me shot or something”

Without moving or opening her eyes Cordelia said,

“For goodness sake Angel, a million dollars is a drop in the ocean to somebody like him, he’s just a bit pissed at being the butt of the jokes at the moment, he won’t have you shot – he’s not Tony Soprano!”

“Huh, I just hope your right!” Angel sat back and closed his eyes

Cordelia opened one of hers and looked at him, shook her head and went to sleep
End Notes:
Teasing you still!! Never mind, next chapter....let me know what you think of this one!
Chapter 18 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 18


Buffy put the lamp on her side of the bed.

“God you are SO beautiful!” Was all William could say, he was mesmerised

She moved around the bed and stood in front of him, she could tell he was shaking slightly

“You say all the right things…now relax…” She began to lift off his sweatshirt, and the she threw it at the painted wicker chair at the end of the bed.

William undid the zip on her dress, it fell to the floor, she was braless, only wearing a thong. She reached up on tip toe to kiss him while she busied her hands undoing his belt, button and zip on his trousers.

Everything thrown on the chair, they stood naked in front of each other, the kisses became more urgent, she could feel the evidence of his desire pressing hard against her tummy. She reached down and cupped his sac, palming his huge erection as much as she could with her small hand, he was massive!

William immediately broke the kiss and his forehead dropped to her shoulder, his knees almost buckling

“Oh god!” he whispered before he began to kiss her neck.

He raised his hand and drew his thumb over one of her pebbled nipples that had been poking into his chest, this earned him a gasp and she held him more tightly

She broke the kiss and centred herself on the bed, holding out her arms for him.

William knelt and a thought suddenly hit him, they hadn’t got any protection

“I don’t have any condoms – I didn’t plan” William began

“It’s okay, I’m safe, and as regards my sexual history, well it was once, with a guy that was joining the Peace Corps, that was four years ago and I’ve had two medicals since then” Buffy said.

“Just once for me too! And I’ve had medicals and blood tests since then for insurance purposes…”

“Well, glad that’s out of the way then, come here to me…” They resumed kissing, William felt like a man in a dream, but his dreams didn’t feel as good as this!

Shifting her head and baring her neck, William took the hint and began kissing and nuzzling, lightly biting making Buffy squeal and writhe with pleasure. She squeezed his erection, sliding her thumb over the head making it slippery with pre-cum, she circled her thumb where the foreskin joined the glans making William groan with pleasure.

William slid his hand up her soft satiny thigh to her centre, she parted her legs for him and he slid two fingers over her labia. She was already wet. He moved his fingers across and dipped his middle finger inside her, sliding over her clitoris and into the core of her need. She went rigid, for a second or two before begging for more. He felt her fingers close around his hard-on and she began to pump slowly – William was trying to regulate his breathing, concentrate on what he was doing and not become over-excited. Kissing down the slope of her fabulous breast he latched onto one of her nipples and suckled. Her hips bucked and William slid another finger inside her.

“Oh god, please………please William, want you………want you in me now, please baby……………”

He swiftly removed his fingers, settled between her thighs and lined himself up at her opening, he looked up at her beautiful face, she nodded and smiled, and he thrust home.

Buffy back arched and she cried out at such a big invasion, all the breath left her body as she felt herself being impaled on him, he felt so good, her nails dug lightly into his biceps, until she dropped one hand onto his butt and pressed hard, urging him to go deeper.

“Oh YES! William withdrew and slid home again and again, gaining a little further depth each time – it was the most indescribable pleasure he’d ever felt, her tight walls clung to him, he could feel them fluttering and rippling around him, her hips churning, matching him thrust for thrust, she could feel her joy bubbling up inside her. Babbling at him to go harder, faster, William no longer treated her like she was made of glass and did her bidding, slamming himself against her, she urged him on, more, until he knew he was coming to the point of no return – he was panicking, he didn’t want it to end before she’d come, but suddenly she went rigid again, a sensation started at her toes and literally rolled it’s way up and through her body, she began cry out through the deepest, hardest orgasm she’d ever had in her life – William felt the first involuntary clench of her around him and he felt his balls tighten……

“Oh god, Buf..Buffy!” he felt his essence boiling up inside him, until it was unleashed with almost super-human force, her muscles milking him for all they were worth, colours exploded behind his eyes, he felt other worldly.

William collapsed on her, but then raised up so as not to crush her, he was panting hard.

“Stay…don’t move” Buffy patted his shoulder, she too panting for breath

“I didn’t know it could be that good!” She said smiling

William grinned up at her and said simply,

“Wow, me neither!” he moved to the side of her and she grabbed some tissues and wadded them to clean up.

She turned on her side and snuggled into him, both bathing in the after-glow of the best sex they’d ever had.

“Want another shower?”

“No, it’ll do in the morning…besides which…I might want to try that again before breakfast, just to check it was as good as I thought it was!” They both giggled and fell asleep snuggled up.

oOo

Buffy woke with a start; she could hear the tail end of a rumble of thunder. She got out of bed and went into the kitchen to get a drink of water. She looked out to sea through the kitchen window and was startled to see a flash of forked lightening hit the water, it looked like it was boiling, then the heavens opened and the rain came lashing down.

She was glad she’d got William with her and scampered back to bed

“You okay little one?” William asked putting the lamp on

“Yes, fine, sorry to disturb you, needed a drink of water. There’s a storm”

“So I heard…I’m glad I’m not out there!”

“Me too!”

William got out of bed and went to the bathroom. Buffy lay in bed listening to the thunder. He then went into the kitchen and got a glass of water for himself.

By the time he got back into bed, Buffy was asleep. As quietly as he could he switched off the lamp. The moon had broken through the clouds and sent a shaft of light through the curtains.

William looked down at Buffy and whispered to himself

“My girlfriend………you are SO beautiful…I’ve fallen in love with you my little one”

Buffy mewled in her sleep, and reached for him, snuggling up, smacking her chops and babbling something about

“Her Sweet William, love you” This had William grinning from ear to ear and he settled down, slipping his arm under her head so her cheek came to rest on his shoulder. He kissed her forehead and settled down to sleep himself.

oOo

William woke with a raging hard-on. And why had he woke in such a state? – Because a certain little blonde minx was pumping his shaft and licking the head like it was an ice cream.

She licked the whole length of him, then engulfed the head in her mouth a sucked, slipping her fingers under his balls and cupping them rolling them around their wrinkly sac. His neck arched, and he tried desperately not to buck up too hard so as not to hurt her

William gave a yodel-y kind of groan and began to writhe, gasping out,

“Oh baby, Of god Buffy!”

Buffy was making ‘hmmmmmmmmmm’ noises and saying ‘yum yum!’ Then she reared up and swung a leg across his hips straddling him, she centred herself and sank down on him, until he was completely seated inside her

William tried to uncross his eyes, she looked magnificent above him, her hips churning, gyrating in a figure of eight, grinding down on him, she had her head thrown back and William reached up and cupped her breasts, thumbing the nipples. He half sat up, suckled at each one in turn, then he held her hips and began to thrust up making her squeal with bliss, she reached back and gently squeezed his balls. William took advantage of her position and put his thumb over her clit and began to rub it and press it against his shaft. Buffy cried out long and loud as her orgasm ripped through her like a freight train, she ground down as hard as she could getting every last millimetre of him inside her, she fell forward and William held her to him, flipped them over and began to pump in and out of her hard and fast. Instead of subsiding or feeling sore, Buffy felt the tingle of another orgasm and raised her legs, crossing her ankles around his middle William knelt up and began really slamming into her crying out,

“Buffy, Buffy, Buffy, oh god, oh yes, Buffy, love...love you oh god yes, yes, YESSSSSSSSSSSS!” White hot sperm shot up his shaft and into her, she clung to him and cried out she loved him too…William ‘came to’ with his forehead on the pillow. He gently withdrew from her and lay by her side, they were grinning at each other

“I do you know, that’s not just something to say – I think I fell in love with you the first day I saw you sitting on the bench outside the gallery” William raised his hand and moved a tendril of hair from her face

Buffy smiled at him, gave him a soft little kiss and said,

“The best thing I ever did, was to come and find you, these past few days have been the best of my life!”

William thought he was going to explode with sheer joy, his heart swelled and he felt tears in his eyes he hugged her to him until Buffy said,

“Hmm, what’s for breakfast, I’m starving!”

Giggling, William held her and said,

“Well, how about a full English – you go have the first shower, and I can eat my cereal, you can keep an eye on the bacon, sausages and eggs while I have my shower then wee can eat the main bit together?”

“I’ve got a better idea…lets shower together – come on there’s plenty of room!” Buffy said pulling him out of bed!
End Notes:
Let me know what you think
Chapter 19 by LoobyLoo
Chapter 19


William slammed the car door and locked it, raced around to the passenger side and helped Buffy out. It seemed like they just simply HAD to keep touching each other. They walked along with arms around each other, holding hands, kept on giving each other little kisses…

Will glanced at his watch. They’d driven down to Cornwall for the day, and it was another scorcher.

“Lunch?”

“Hmm,” Buffy nodded

“Come along then!” William walked with a purpose, and Buffy was surprised they walked past first the pub, then several café’s.

“Can you smell that – (William took a deep sniff)

“Baking?” Buffy asked with an eyebrow quirked

“Only the best Cornish pasties you’ll ever find!” They walked to the ‘Traditional Cornish Pasty Shop’

William bought two large traditional Cornish Pasties to go and they went and sat on a bench over looking the sea on the front.

“Hmm, hmm hmm! This is SO yummy!” Buffy declared between bites, and she said to William that before they left, they must get some more to take back to the cottage with them.

They went and sat on the beach after lunch, hiring a couple of deck chairs and an umbrella. William did some sketching and Buffy fell asleep. It was on the last quarter of the page he drew her, the other three quarters were of her lying on the beach, leaping for the Frisbee and just sitting with her arms wrapped around her knees looking out to sea. She was wearing the sundress and looked beautiful in it.

Buffy woke and smacked her chops –

“I fancy something sweet………can we have ice cream or something?”

“Sure, nearly time to go home anyway, so shall we buy one and take a slow walk back to the car?”

On the way, Buffy changed her mind and they went into a little tea room. She’d decided that she wanted to try a Cornish cream tea instead as she was also dying for a cuppa.

So William ordered one for two people and the lady went and fetched them a huge pot of tea, four freshly baked scones, a pot of strawberry jam and dish full of creamy yellowish clotted cream

They fed each other the rich confection, giggling and getting cream on their fingers and faces. When they’d drained the teapot they went back to the car and home, but first stopping back at the pasty shop to get some more pasties!

They got into the cottage and William put the pasties in the fridge and asked,

“Okay little one, what do you want to do now?” William would have sworn he saw a glint in her eye and she sidled up to him, running her hands up his chest and over his shoulders

“Give you three guesses…” She whispered seductively and they began to kiss with mounting passion………


ooOOoo


William woke to the sound of his mobile ringing

“Hello?”

“Will – William is that you?”

“Xander! Is everything okay?”

“Don’t worry, everything is fine, all I’m ringing up to tell you is, I had a woman called Lilah Charles from Art World magazine, she came here to the gallery especially to see you, she wants to know if you’ll be one of the judges at this years Leonardo Art Awards, it’s in Milan on the 7th, it’s a weekend thing – go on Friday the 6th come back Sunday the 8th the main event on the Saturday - and she needs to know by tomorrow – it’s all expenses paid, and for two people”

William smiled and said to Buffy,

“Ever been to Italy?” Buffy grinned, shook her head then propped it up on her arm.

“Fancy coming with me on the 6th of next month – go Friday come back Sunday – I’m going to be a judge for an art exhibition, but we do get free time”

“Wow…Italy – oh yes!” She launched herself at him and they laughed

“Hello – Will – William, is there somebody there with you?” Xander asked

“Not just any old somebody, Buffy! – My girlfriend Buffy!” William said with a big grin on his face

Xander laughed and said,

“She found you then, great!”

“She certainly did – and now we’re an item!”

“Man that’s – oh that’s just fantastic William, I’m so pleased for you – I’ll tell Anya there will be two for Sunday lunch then!!”

“Okay my friend, tell Lilah Charles I’ll do it – and Buffy will be with me!”

“Sure thing boss- take care – oh I can’t wait to tell Anya, she’ll be so pleased!!” They both laughed again and said their goodbyes.

ooOOoo

“But surely you have SOME money, I mean how are you going to pay your tax bill for a start?” Cordelia asked

Angel shrugged

“Dunno”

Cordelia shook her head, she really did despair of her boss

“Well, how much HAVE you got then?”

“Cold, hard cash? – About $180,000”

“WHAT – Where’s the rest of it? - Where’s it all gone?”

“You tell me!”

“You seem to be remarkably calm for a man who has the tax man after you for over three million dollars, and a mad Arab too!”

“I thought you said Arreeza wouldn’t do anything!” Angel said

“Well….he probably won’t”

“Oh great, I’m worrying about that again now!” Angel said

But to Cordelia, he didn’t really look worried, mildly inconvenienced at best she thought, she also thought, ‘he’s up to something’ but she couldn’t guess what…

ooOOoo

The rest of the week passed in a blur of sheer bliss for Buffy and William, days out in the car to various places, a donkey sanctuary, a sheepskin factory where they both bought matching body-warmers, rugs and moccasins. A farm that kept bees and Buffy spent a fortune on natural beauty products and honey. The weather had been fantastic and after another day on the beach…

“I can’t believe the weather – everybody told me it would be raining most of the time!” Buffy said as they walked back to the car.

“Ah well, that’s other people for you, you can tell them different. What do you want to do tonight?” William asked

“Um…hmm, let me think…let’s stay local – I fancy seafood…can we go to ‘our’ restaurant?” The little fish restaurant that William had taken her the first night had quickly became ‘our’ restaurant, they’d been back several times since that first time.

“Of course little one – we can go anywhere you like”

Buffy squeezed his hand and homed in and gave him a kiss

“I love you…you have me spoiled!”

William’s heart leapt and he couldn’t stop smiling when she said that, he caught her around the waist, swung her around and kissed her

“And I love you too!” They giggled and ran to the car

“We must see about getting your flight changed tomorrow – it’s silly us being on different airlines on flights three hours apart, we’ll get you changed to my flight, and I’ll upgrade us to Club class, might as well have a bit of comfort going back!”

Buffy smiled and said

“Great, but lets not talk of leaving here, we still have five days yet!”

ooOOoo

“I’m sorry Angel, but I’m NOT travelling all the way to NY on a Greyhound bus, and that is final – we’d have to start out like, yesterday anyway to get there for the 26th!”

“Can your friend the pilot help us?”

“I’ll find out” Cordelia took out her mobile phone and made a call

“…………Okay then, thanks bye”

“What did he say?”

“He said he could only take us as far as Texas, but that there’s a friend of his taking some cargo to New York he’ll take us AND bring us back the next day for $200”

“Great, you’re a star Cordy!”

“Yes, well…don’t forget it! – I’ll ring this guy he told me about”

“You do that…I want to make one or two calls myself.” Angel moved out of Cordy’s ‘office’ and into his sitting room. He rang his rock-star friend, Rack – he owed him money and Angel wanted it back, pronto. The phone rang for ages, until…

“Hell-lo!” A dusky voice greeted him. This threw Angel off for a second, until he guessed it was one of Rack’s groupies or something…

“Can I speak to Rack please” Angel asked slightly irritated

The voice that greeted him giggled and said

“Well now sugar-plum…daddies asleep, well nearly all of him…all except one naughty part…daddies been taking Viagra!” Angel rolled his eyes and heard another female voice in the background

“Daddy! DA-DEE –WAKE UP!”

“Huh, whassamarrer, what time is it…ooh fuck, what have you done to me knob – gis a ciggie……wha – phone –who is it?”

“Rack…RACK it’s me!” Angel shouted

“Who – oh Angel….what do you want man…little busy here…oh Jesus…come and take care of this babe…oooohhhhhh fuck that’s good…”

“RACK!”

“WOT – trying to get a fuckin’ blow job ‘ere…what d’ya want…oh yeah babe don’t stop that!”

“For god’s sake you’re either off your face on coke or screwing yourself stupid – when can I talk to you? Rack…Rack, are you there Rack….for fuck’s sake!”

“He’ll call you back, he’s um…he’s got his mouthful at the moment, bye-ee!” the dusky voice informed him

Angel angrily ended the call.

Earlier on that morning Angel had had a letter from his accountant about what he’d lost investment wise and other things, one of which Angel had forgotten, he’d bought Rack an old tour bus when he was ‘strapped’, and wanted Rack to return the money for it.

And another pressing thing for him…he needed to do an experiment about how long one of his pieces would take to catch fire under a halogen lamp…

ooOOoo


Buffy lay asleep on the bed. William had out his watercolour box and sketchpad, he put a thin azure wash over the sundress he’d drawn her wearing on the four little poses he’d sketched of her.

He then put a thin golden flesh-coloured wash over her skin, yellow and golden streaks in her hair. He stood back and smiled at his work.

“Hmm…A Study In Blue I think I’ll call this” he said to himself quietly.

“Hmm baby what’s that?” Buffy asked stirring and stretching

“Oh, it’s nothing!”

“Show me…please?”

William turned the drawing book towards her, and she saw the four sketches and smiled and sat up

“Oh Wow! William!”

“You like?” he asked smiling

“Oh my god that’s fantastic – I love it! – Gods you are SO clever!”

William grinned shyly and said

“I thought I’d call it A Study In Blue”

“Can I buy it off you?”

“Of course you can’t! You can have it if you want it Little One!” Buffy bounded off the bed and into his arms

“That will look fantastic over the fireplace at home! – You’re so talented!”

“You’ll have me big headed if you’re not careful!!”

“Never, oh come here – it’s lovely, you’re lovely…I love you!” She reached up on tippy-toe to kiss him

“I’ll get it properly mounted and framed for you”

“That would be wonderful………now…let me thank you…” She kissed him again and tugged his tee shirt upwards

“There’s no need, Little One!”

“But I want to thank you……………………properly”

William chuckled; he certainly wasn’t going to argue with her!!

ooOOoo


When Cordy had gone home, Angel set about his experiment.

He’d got a few pieces of ‘Urban Decay’ art work that hadn’t made his grade for exhibition, and he used those. He put the artwork on the coffee table, and set an anglepoise lamp with one of the halogen lamps put in it at the distance the lights at the gallery were from the exhibits, roughly 40 inches. He put the smoke alarm on the coffee table too just in case it was a long time before it caught fire and he didn’t want to fall asleep………

Six hours later, the ‘artwork’ was hot, but NOT on fire. He felt sick and began to panic, what was he going to do? He tried raising up the exhibit, but for it to smoulder it had to be practically touching it – that was absolutely no good to him!

He thought about using some sort of accelerant, gasoline or kerosene – but then forensics could easily pick up on something like that so he couldn’t use either – than he remembered what the polyurethane varnish had said on the tin, NOT to be used near naked flame – he went into his studio and fetched half a pot of the stuff, and a brush

After painting some more varnish over the artwork, he set it under the halogen light, he was holding the loaded brush, and an idea came to him, he swirled it over the lamp itself and immediately there was a smoky whiff came off it, the artwork began smouldering too, it was exactly 6 minutes smouldering when the lamp caught fire, dripped lighted plastic onto the art and it caught fire. Angel grinned – He got his kitchen hand-held fire-hydrant and swooshed out the flames, cleared any evidence of his little experiment away – his plan was going to work!!!
Chapter 20 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
http://www.dartington.co.uk/store/comersus_index.asp
Chapter 20


William woke, turned his head and smiled. It really wasn’t a dream; there she was lying naked next to him. He glanced at the clock, it was twenty to 7, but already the sun was shining and the gulls with their plaintive cries were making a noise outside, diving for the fishing boats that were hauling in the nights’ catch. Under the duvet, he ran his finger lightly up Buffy’s satiny-soft leg. She mewled in her sleep and shifted onto her back, her leg falling to the side.

William grinned and ducked under the cover, settled between her thighs and began to dot light kisses along the baby-soft skin of her inner thigh. Buffy moaned slightly and let her legs fall completely open.

William seized his opportunity and licked the length of her smooth labia and then wiggled his tongue over her clit.

Buffy gave a quiet squeal, opened her eyes and when William did it again, she lifted the duvet and peered down the bed

“That nice pet?” William asked with a grin, and repeated the action, this made her hips bounce.

“Oh – goooooooooood – so good!” Buffy’s voice still cracked with sleep said huskily. William held her legs and began to do something he’d read about, that was writing his name over her clit with his tongue…

Buffy was writhing and twisting, bouncing and bucking to his rhythm, getting more vocal

When he slid a finger inside her and angled it upwards, he felt the little bump on the front wall of her vagina he began to rub and press it, keeping up the steady swipe of his tongue over her clit – Buffy began to go wild, he added another finger and Buffy cried out long and loud – and then as he didn’t let up, she reached down and touched his head, asking him to stop, immediately he came up and lay beside her

“Sorry, did I hurt you?” William looked worried

“God, oh God no – it was just getting too much too ooh…god!” She was panting

“I’m sor-hmm-hmmmmmmmmmmmm”

Buffy homed in and kissed him tasting herself on him

“Nothing to be sorry about, god that was SO intense!” She reached down and found his as hard as iron and she giggled

“Now, what shall I do with this…shall I………” She scrambled down the bed and licked him around the glans, then sucked the whole head into her mouth pumping him slowly. William lay on his back. Buffy swiftly threw her leg over him and impaled herself sinking down slowly on his massive hardness, making them both groan with delight. She circled her hips, ground down hard in a figure of eight and raised and lowered herself. Even thought she’d only come a few minutes before, she could feel her next climax building. Using his strong back muscles William sat up and suckled at her breasts in turn, Buffy’s hips became a blur of movement and she threw her head back, her mouth open slightly and cried out her second orgasm, her tightly clenching inner muscles triggered William’s own climax and he tried to buck up. They sprawled on the bed panting.

“Wow…it keeps on getting better!” Buffy said with a grin

William raised his hand and stroked her cheek with the back of his index finger

“When did I get so lucky, hmm? – You’re so beautiful and yet I’ve got you”

Buffy smiled and reached for his hand that had stroked his face

“I’m the lucky one…you could have told me to take a hike after I –“

“Shh…that’s the past, this is now!” William said

“Sure is…” Buffy leaned forward and kissed him. They lay wrapped in each others arms for a long while, drifting back to sleep.

After a shower and a glass of juice, they decided to go out for Brunch. William said he wanted Buffy to help him pick out a nice gift for Xander and Anya – they were going to Dartington Crystal (see link above) works – it had a factory shop and you could watch the craftsmen at work, blowing the glass, cutting and etching it.

oOo


“Um…Angel” Cordelia said

“Hmm?” Angel looked up at Cordelia, she was sitting at the computer in the office in his house in LA. He was reading a newspaper.

“I was wondering…could I borrow your car tonight?” There was a guy at the golf club she was interested in, well it was mutual, but she really needed to keep up the pretence that the Viper was really her car………

“My car – the Viper you mean?” Angel asked and closed the paper folding it and putting it on the sofa next to him. Cordelia just nodded – if he said no, then it would be the last time she did any favours for him as regards flights and such…

“Actually, I was thinking…I might not be able to pay your wages, and as that’s the only thing and this house I’ve got to actually call my own, bought and paid for – we might as well swap permanently if you want – you can have the Viper in lieu of payment” Angel said

Cordelia’s eyes nearly came out on stalks – she’d never have believed it if she hadn’t heard it with her own ears

“Wow, are you serious?”

“Uh huh………well I can’t afford to run it, not until I get back on my feet again”

That worked out nice for Angel, he wanted her car for the next couple of nights anyway…

Cordelia was on her feet and she came round the desk and actually hugged him

“Thanks!” Again Angel wondered what he’d actually done to cock his relationship up with this beautiful woman – then he remembered he’d cheated on her in the worst possible way and she’d found them. It was a miracle in a way she still spoke to him let alone worked for him…

“Sorry what – I was miles away “ Angel said, aware that Cordelia had said something

“I said, the pilot of this cargo plane, he said it’ll be freezing in the plane so wear something warm okay – you know tomorrow night- we fly to NY”

“Yeah, yeah sorry wear something warm as it’ll be freezing, right got it”

Cordelia nodded and smiled, she caught Angel’s hand and said,

“Something will turn up – you should go back in your studio – get some inspiration” It was Angel’s turn to be shocked. He gave her hand a squeeze and gave her a rueful smile

“Yeah. Oh, here – we can sort out the log book and stuff whenever” he handed her the keys to the car and she left.

Angel went into his studio, not for artistic inspiration though, he’s had another idea and wanted to time it. This time, he’d painted the lamps with the polyurethane varnish and let it dry, he wanted to know how long it would take before it caught fire, because the six minutes when it was wet wouldn’t really give him enough time to do all the lamps and all the exhibits before they caught alight. He plugged in the lamp and waited………after ten minutes the smell of the varnish became strong, and after 18 minutes the lamp caught fire – that was brilliant! Three times as long to do the job and plenty of time to get out, set alarms and be away………he’d do it tonight. He set about painting all the bulbs with the varnish – it took 20-30 minutes to dry properly he put the AC on to cool to speed up the process…………

ooOOoo

“Oh look, that’s beautiful!” Buffy said stopping at one of the glass case displays of crystal vases

“It is nice…but I was thinking, if we get them something like a couple of wine glasses, each time we come here, I can build up a complete set - that we’ll never be stuck for a present for them”

Buffy grinned and agreed – she also loved the way William said ‘every time WE come here, and WE’LL never be stuck for a present’ – he was thinking long term! – She couldn’t keep the grin off her face

William saw this and smiled too and said,

“What?”

“Nothing!”

“Go on, tell me!”

“I like the ‘we’ you keep using…thinking of us in the long term!”

“Of course Little One, I’ve got you now, I don’t intend on letting you go…unless..”

“Unless what?” Buffy asked her smile fading fast

“Unless………well, unless you wanted to go that is”

“I’m going nowhere without you!” Buffy said matter-of-factly. William gently squeezed her hand and they were both smiling again

“Right then, shall we go get these wine glasses?”

ooOOoo

Angel loaded the boot (trunk) of the red Chrysler Cirrus, now his car with the varnish painted lamps, a new pot of varnish a big brush and some rubber gloves.

He went to the gallery, it was nearly closing time, Xander was there in the office.

“Don’t suppose there has been any inquires about………” Angel began, and Xander just shook his head no, then he said,

“No, sorry”

“Oh well, just thought I’d check – well I’ll leave you to it then, bye” Angel left the gallery, but went to the top floor of the parking lot to watch when Xander left.

Twenty minutes later, Xander left and Angel went down to the gallery floor, got the stuff from the car and then he let himself into the gallery and de-activated the alarm. He waited an hour before starting anything, he wanted to make sure the two buildings either side of the gallery were vacated first.

An hour later he quickly set about changing the low-energy lamps for the doctored halogen ones, and slapped fresh wet varnish on the exhibits………

ooOOoo

“Hmm smells good, what have we got, I’m starving!” Xander asked sitting at the dining table.

“Well, I’ve made a lasagne, and we have salad and garlic bread to go with it – and as Hailey is at a friend’s house for a sleep-over, got us a nice bottle of wine to go with it – would you open it while I dish up?”

“Sure!”

oOo

“Hmm…this is delicious – hey guess what, that prat came to the gallery today to ask if - OH MY GOD!” Xander suddenly stood up

“What- what is it, Xander?”

“Oh God! Oh shit! She’ll kill me!”

“What, who kill you what are you on about, whose she - make sense!”

“Cordelia Chase!”

“Why – why will she kill you, what have you done Xander?” Anya asked suddenly looking stern

“I didn’t think at the time, but I must have locked her in the gallery when I left – I drove past her Red Cirrus in the car park – Christ I’ll have to get back there quick!”

Xander ran to the bedroom to get his jacket with the car keys in it.

“But she’d have phoned you or something I’m sure!”

“No – she might have been in the toilets, I never check the ladies I just came out and locked up – she might not have had her purse with her – and everywhere else is locked – SHIT!”

“Calm down! Don’t go driving like a mad man, she’s only been there…nearly an hour and a quarter!” Anya said biting her bottom lip

“Oh GOD! You KNOW what she was like when we were at school – she always thought of me as like something nasty she’d stepped in! – What if she sues me for stress?”

“If this lasagne is ruined, then I’ll sue HER – go on and hurry back!”

“Bye honey bun – won’t be long!”


oOo

Xander squealed to a halt in the parking lot after breaking the speed limit getting there – he was right, her car was still there!

“Oh god, I’m sorry Cordelia! Huh? – What the…hello? – What’s going on? Hello – HELLO-OOO?” Xander knew he’d set the alarm – so why hadn’t it gone off when he unlocked the door? He walked in carefully, only to meet Angel coming out of the main gallery in a hurry, carrying a box

“What are you doing here? Where’s Cordelia – what’s that smell – (he sniffed) I can smell…smoke – oh my God, fire?- What are you-“

Angel panicked and put the box down and said

“Don’t just stand there, get into the office and phone the fire department!”

He took the fire extinguisher off the wall and Xander turned to the office door, instead of going to put the fire out, Angel bought the heavy extinguisher down on the back of Xander’s head.

He fell like a sack of stone, and Angel unceremoniously dragged the knocked out cold Xander further into the gallery, quickly he picked up the box and trying to stay calm, he re-set the alarm and pulled the door shut, he ran to the car, threw everything into the back seat and drove off like a madman.

Suddenly the alarms started to go off. Xander lay unconscious on the floor……………
End Notes:
Let me know what you think!!
Chapter 21 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thanks to all for the reviews, much appreciated
Chapter 21

Anya and Xander’s house, 1 hour and 45 minutes later………


‘DING DONG’ Anya snatched open the front door –

“Xander Harris where have you– oh, OH – Oh my God, what- What’s happened – is Xander okay?” There were two cops standing there

“I’m sorry? – Does a Mr Xander Harris live here?”

“Yes, well um yes, but he’s not in”

“He is the key holder for Giles’ Fine Art Gallery in the Mews, is that right? – We phoned the owner and got a recorded message saying all enquires were to come to this name and address”

“Yes – why, what’s happened? Xander’s at the gallery right now, I’ve tried to phone him a dozen times but I’ve got no answer” The two cops looked at each other

“I’m afraid that there has been a fire at the gallery”

“A fire – oh my God!”

“You say this Mr Harris is already there?”

“My husband, yes, he thought he’d accidentally locked somebody in and went back and checked”

“When was this?”

“About two hours ago – a fire did you say, how bad?” Anya clung to the front door, her knuckles going white. The one cop’s radio crackled into life and he walked off down the path, listened, spoke, and then came back

“Would you please come with us Mrs Harris”

“Why, what is it?”

“The fire department have found a body” For a second Anya’s eyes went huge, then they fluttered and she lost her grip on the door and swayed

“Oh hey there………I got you…come on………there you go………” The other cop caught her before she fell

“Xander? Not my Xander, please God, not my Xander!!!” Anya began to cry

oOo

“Where have you been – you only just made it!” Cordy hissed hauling Angel up into the plane

“Sorry, got caught in traffic!”

“He wanted to go ten minutes ago! – Luckily enough for us it’s the opposite direction of most of the commercial flights so he hasn’t lost his take-off slot!”

Angel sat down on floor

“No safety belts?” he asked with a grin

“Ew…what’s that on your hands….sticky – phew –it, yuk, it stinks too!” Frowning Cordelia looked for something to wipe her hand on, and settled for a piece of old tarpaulin hanging up

“Sorry…I was in the studio”

“Ready for take-off now?” the pilot asked Cordelia she nodded and gave him the thumbs up and then she said to Angel

“While we take off, we’re to assume the crash position, like this” She drew her knees up and rested her head on them, hands on top of the crown of her head.

“I see…then we do the Hokey cokey do we?”

“Angel! Be serious!”

Serious was the last thing Angel wanted. Serious meant that if he was ever caught for this thing he’d done, he’d most probably added murder to arson………and he DEFINITELY didn’t want to think about that………

oOOo

Getting into the town centre was a nightmare to say the least, backed up traffic – the police car wove in and out of stranded buses and cars to get as close to the gallery as possible.

When they got there, the paramedics were just closing the back of the ambulance doors. The cop ran over and spoke to the medic, then pointed to the police car. He came running over

“They think it is your husband Mrs Harris, they found his wallet in his jacket – but he’s alive, just, but they must get him to hospital – you can go with them”

Anya got out and ran to the ambulance. She glanced at the gallery – it was still on fire, flames shooting hundreds of feet up into the air – it looked pretty much burned out. She was helped into the back of the ambulance and saw a medic working on her husband. Xander had a bandage around his head

“Okay hold on, it might be a bit of a bumpy ride” the medic said and Anya watched numbly as the medic secured an oxygen mask over her husband’s black streaked face. The siren started up making her jump and the ambulance mounted the pavement to get past the traffic. Anya reached for her husbands hand and started to cry again.

ooOOoo

“What ever you do, don’t let me buy anything else; I must be waaaaaaaay over the luggage weight limit as it is!” Buffy said, trying to fit more packages into her case. Frowning, she took things out, put them back in a different order and so on again re-arranging them.

“You’ll be okay, I never bring much, just a few tee shirts, a sweatshirt, one woolly sweater and shorts, my cut-offs and jeans, and a couple of shirts and one decent pair of trousers does me here, so I can take one of your cases” William said

“Thanks. I packed warm stuff as everybody said England was cold and rainy!” Buffy said with a grin

“Well next time you see them you can tell them the average lunchtime temperature was 80 degrees – see what they know!”

“Where do you want to eat tonight?”

“Oh god! I’ve got to stop eating, my jeans are getting so tight!”

“Nonsense, you look as gorgeous as ever!” William stood behind her and slipped his arm around her waist, pinning her to him. He began to nibble the back of her neck making her squeal and wriggle, they both began giggling

“S-stop!! Oh god, I can’t breathe!” they fell on the bed, still laughing

“We shall go to the Chichester Arms, where I shall have a small prawn salad” Buffy stated matter of factly

“Yeah, for starters, then a dirty big streak with fries and all the trim-“ William teased, tickling her

“No, no, NO! JUST the small salad!” Buffy said trying to tickle him back.

“I know you young lady! It’ll be a small prawn salad now, but in a couple of hours, the prawn will have grown into a lobster!”

Buffy giggled and said ‘no!’ they both lay on the bed, looking up at the ceiling, panting from their exertions

“I don’t know how you can eat prawns” William said grinning

“Why, what’s wrong with them?” Buffy asked. She struggled to sit up, so she turned on her side and propped her head up looking at William, who turned and looked at her

“Nothing, nothing at all wrong with them, they’re delicious!” William said grinning

“Well then, why don’t you know how I can eat them?” Buffy was smiling too

“Ever see the film Shark Tale?”

“Uh huh!”

“Well, remember that bit when Don Lino tries to make Lenny eat a prawn cocktail, and the prawn pops up out of the dish and begs him, saying ‘no, don’t do it’, and then goes on to give a sob story about his sister having a deformed baby then dying so he had to work extra hard and long to keep their little mouths fed…you might be eating the daddy prawn, that’s why it’s a shame!” Buffy giggled and popped him one on the arm.

“Ow, cruel and heartless you are, eating daddy prawns!!” William tried to move from Buffy’s tickling fingers and he fell off the bed, they couldn’t move for laughing.

Meanwhile, unbeknown to William, on his switched off mobile phone, the first of many frantic messages were being left for him to urgently contact the Sunnydale Fire Dep.

oOo

“I told you – a small prawn salad!”

“But babe, don’t starve yourself – we can diet when we get back home where there’s none of this rich air sharpening our appetites” William cajoled. Buffy immediately weakened and said

“I’m glad you said that coz I’m starving!” Buffy said

“I’m going to have…the Howath Farm pork steaks in Calvados sauce” William said

“Hmm, what’s Calvados?” Buffy asked

“Apple brandy – remember when we went to the cider factory?”

“Oh yes of course…hmm…I’m going to have…the lamb – no the chicken Kiev – yeah, the chicken Kiev with salad and fries”

ooOOoo

“From what we can tell, he has what we call blunt force trauma to the back of his head, yet he was found face down so whether he hit his head on something, or, and this is the more likely scenario, he was hit with something large and heavy from behind. And of course he has smoke inhalation too” The doctor explained to Anya

“You think somebody hit him?”

“That’s what it looks like I’m afraid, yes”

“But why – Xander wouldn’t hurt………he (hiccup) he wouldn’t hurt a fly – why would anybody want to hurt my Xander? Anya broke down in tears again. Through the double doors came one of the policemen that had brought her from the house.

“I’m sorry to trouble you Mrs Harris, but could you please tell me what happened tonight – from when your husband got home”

oOo

“………It was a surprise to you, the way he stood up from dinner?” The policeman asked, writing it down

“Totally, he made me jump – he was panicking – he thought he’d lock Cordelia Chase in the gallery”

“Mrs Harris, I’ve got to ask you this, did you believe him?”

“What?”

“Did you believe him – did it seem genuine?”

“I don’t understand what you mean?”

“Was he panicking do you think, because he’d done something wrong?”

Anya looked blankly at the policeman and said,

“I don’t understand what you are trying to say”

“Is it possible that your husband could have started the fire?”

“WHAT – NO!” Anya stood up, bent over and hissed

“My Xander wouldn’t do that! He loves his job, he wouldn’t do that to William, he wanted everything to be perfect when William got home!”

“This Cordelia Chase, who is she, and why did he think he’d locked her in, do you know?”

“She’s Angel Stebson’s Agent and secretary. Xander said he’d driven passed her car when he left the gallery, look, he told me that Angel Stebson had come into the gallery twenty minutes before closing, wondering if there had been any enquiries about the exhibits……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
……………………………………………………………Cordelia was a real cow to him when they were at school, he was frightened that he’d locked her in, he said he never checked the ladies toilets before locking up, that’s why he dashed back – that’s all I know - I was waiting for him to return home and you showed up”

“I’ve got to tell this Mrs Harris, if and when your husband wakes up, he’ll be under arrest for questioning about this fire, preliminary reports show that it might be arson”

Anya put her hand to her mouth and began shaking her head saying no, no, no! Over and over again

“Why aren’t you looking for them – that Cordelia bitch and Stebson – and whoever hit my husband on the back of the head!” Anya managed to spit out at last

“Somebody hit your husband on the back of his head?” the police man frowned

“Yes! That’s what the doctor told me, he has a …what did he call it? A force trauma thing on the back of his head”

“Was it a blunt force trauma?” The cop asked

“Yes! That’s it a blunt force trauma, the doctor just went to look at the x rays now” The other cop came through the doors with the doctor. Anya heard the term ‘blunt force trauma’ again and the doctor came over to Anya

“Mrs Harris – my suspicions have been confirmed there is a perfect semi-circular bruise on the back of your husband’s head, fire crews told me that lying near his body was an extinguisher, looks like he was hit with that”

“See – I told you – I TOLD you my Xander wouldn’t set fire to the place, he was trying to put it out!” Anya said to the cops.

ooOOoo

“Hmm God, I couldn’t eat another mouthful, I’m stuffed!” Buffy said sprawling back on the sofa when they got back to the cottage. They were going to have a walk, but it had turned chilly and it was raining in the wind.

“Well you relax, how about we watch a DVD and finish off that litre of Soave from the other night?”

“Sounds great to me…what do you want to watch?”

“Don’t mind…”

“I don’t mind scary…but I don’t want gunky-scary” Buffy said flipping through the titles

William came in grinning with two glasses and the wine and sat next to her and asked,

“What’s gunky-scary when it’s at home?”

“Yukky, body bits and blood and guts and stuff – yuk! – Oh this one, or this one?” She held out Shanghai Knights or Dodgeball

“I love Jackie Chan movies!” William said taking the first DVD off her

“Me too!” They settled down and watched the movie, both falling asleep near the end.
Chapter 22 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews - i love them
Angel blew on his freezing cold hands.

“I DID tell you to wear something warm!” Cordelia said

“I know…I forgot the time when I was in the studio” Angel lied

Taking pity on him, Cordelia unwrapped one of the scarves she’d got on

“Here…put this round your neck, and wrap your hands in the ends, you’ll soon warm up. Now I’m going to try and sleep if I can, make the journey go quicker”

Angel said ‘thanks’ and put the scarf on, wrapped it around his hands too. He then sat back and closed his eyes, but all he saw was himself hitting Xander with the fire-extinguisher and pulling him further into the gallery. He opened his eyes with a start and sat up quickly.

“Huh…what’s the matter?” Cordelia asked sleepily

“Oh, er…cramp – go back to sleep, it’ll pass” Angel said

Cordelia laid her head back on her arm. Angel was as jumpy as a kitten, missing his ‘Club Class’ seats and comforts she thought as she drifted off.

Angel wasn’t going to be allowed the luxury of sleep – who’d have thought it, he had a conscience………every time he closed his eyes, he saw the unconscious Xander lying on the floor in the rapidly filling with smoke gallery………had he killed him?

He felt sick. He wanted to get up and walk around but the flight was bumpy and he’s probably fall and hurt himself. He tried to think of what he would do with the insurance money when he got it, or the up-coming trial…anything to get his mind off whether he was now a killer or not…

ooOOoo

“I promise you Mrs Harris, if anything changes I’ll ring you immediately. Go home, have a shower and change of clothes, something to eat and come back this afternoon” The doctor said to Anya.

“But…I don’t like to leave him!”

“He’s going nowhere – look have you tried to contact the gallery owner yet?”

“Yes – I’ve left a dozen messages for him, he’s on holiday in England, his mobile is switched off”

“And there’s no other way of contacting him – via the hotel he’s staying at, perhaps?” the doc suggested. Anya went to shake her head and then said

“No, he’s rented as cottage – although I think we might have the number of the lady who rented it to him…will you promise to ring me if he comes round?” Anya looked down at her hubby, she was holding his hand. He had wires and tubes coming him out of him all over, machines making regular little beeps and flashes to let you know they were doing their job of monitoring his oxygen, painkillers, his heart rate, blood-pressure and breathing.

“Okay then, but I’m coming straight back after I’ve had a shower and changed” Anya relented

“Good girl, now go!” the doctor said and smiled at her.

ooOOoo

William yawned and scratched his head. He opened the fridge to get juice, bacon and eggs and stuff to take Buffy breakfast in bed. He noticed that there was only an inch of milk left in the bottle and went back into the bedroom to pull on his pants and a tee to nip over to Mrs Appleton’s for some supplies.

He sat carefully on the bed so as not to disturb Buffy, but she was awake anyway

“And where are you creeping off to?” Buffy asked as she watched him slip on his loafers

“We’ve run out of milk – you go back to sleep, I’ll be back in a jiffy, and then my little princess, I’m going to serve you breakfast in bed!”

Buffy sat up and kissed him

“I knew I loved you for a reason!”

“Love you too………hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm – hey don’t get me going!!” William stood with a grin and adjusted his pants.

“Won’t be long!”

He got as far as the front door. He came back into the bedroom looking ashen, holding a piece of paper

“Will…William – what is it love?” Buffy sat up looking concerned about the look on his face. William came over to his side of the bed and opened the draw, he took out his mobile and switched it on. He sank to the bed and said,

“Oh my god!” he could see he had 17 missed calls.

Buffy quickly scanned the note from Mrs Appleton, it read:

Dear Mr Giles, at 6.10am I had a frantic phone call from a woman called Anna I think she said her name was, she said you are to phone her immediately and then to phone the Sunnydale Fire Department’

With shaking hand, William phoned Anya’s home number, but getting no answer he phoned her mobile.

“Anya – it’s William, what’s happened, I just got a message from…yeah, WHAT……the gallery? – Go on, Xander’s what………Anya don’t cry pet, I can’t understand what you’re saying when you cry, now Xander’s what?…Xander’s in Intensive care? Oh my god – the gallery’s burned to the ground………………………” Buffy sat up round eyed and horrified.


ooOOoo

Assume the position back there, we’re coming into land” the pilot shouted through from the cockpit.

Angel nudged Cordelia and told her what the pilot said

“Thank god – I thought I was going to scream!” Angel said

“We’re not there yet, this is a stop-over to re-fuel, we’ve got…another two and half hours yet” Cordelia said looking at her watch.

“Oh, terrific!” Angel said sarcastically

“Ask him if you can sit in the cockpit, you never know” Cordelia suggested

“Will you be alright here then?”

“Yeah, I’m actually comfy” – she was too.

Refuelling took an hour and the pilot said that Angel could sit in the co-pilot’s seat as long as he didn’t touch anything.

ooOOoo


“Tea-time flight, from Birmingham – it goes straight to Sunnydale, now all we have to do is get to Birmingham before 4” William said

“I’ve got an idea, won’t be long” Buffy said

Ten minutes later Buffy came back

“Remember the hotel I stayed at – the Seaview, well Chris the landlady’s son is a taxi driver, he said he could take us to Birmingham, leave here at one o’ clock to allow for traffic, and it’ll cost us £100”

“You’re a star. Oh god I’m so sorry to ruin things!” William said throwing stuff into his case.

“It’s not your fault, besides, I want to be with you” Buffy said softly, she felt so sorry for him – he’d lost his gallery and his best friend was in intensive care.

ooOOoo

Sunnydale fire Dept.

“This is Chief Fire Officer Andy Wells here, I need to speak to a Detective Jon Levinson – it’s about the Gallery that went up in smoke yesterday…yes I’ll hold”

“Detective Jon Levinson”

“Hello Jon, this is Chief Fire Officer Andy Wells, about that gallery that went up last night, our suspicions have been confirmed, our forensics team have found there were spots of some kind of accelerant on the wooden flooring and also we’ve found the casings of one or two lamps, they’re of the halogen type and shouldn’t be used to spotlight art exhibits – the insurers won’t pay out”

“Right, so you say it was arson then?”

“Almost certainly. Just check with the gallery owner what lamps he uses, I’ve known the guy for 6 years, done his fire certificates for him every year, I know he always used the low-energy bulbs – see if there’s a reason why or if he changed them. Have you spoken to him yet?”

“Not been able to, he’s on his way home on a flight from England, he’s been on holiday apparently”

“Poor guy, to come back to this – oh well, keep me posted as to what’s happening”

“Will do, and thanks, bye”

ooOOoo

14 hours later after what seemed like a night-mare journey home, William and Buffy pulled their luggage from the carousel in Sunnydale airport.

“Look, I’ll take a cab to my place and bring all the cases with me, you go to the hospital, then come to me – or phone or something, okay?” Buffy said

William nodded and then said

“Have you got enough dollars?”

“I’ll be fine, now go – go on!” She kissed him and William made for the taxi-rank and got a cab to Sunnydale General.

As he was making enquiries as to where to find his friend, Anya came through some double doors and began to drop coins into a drinks machine.

“ANYA!”

She turned from bending down retrieving her drink and said

“Oh William – you’re here at last!” he hugged her tight and she began to cry

William’s eyes watered too and he gently held her out at arms length

“I’m sorry…it’s been a nightmare trying to get here…How is he?”

Anya sniffed and said

“Still unconscious………William, I have to tell you this before they do…”

“Tell me what pet?” He held her hand and they walked back to the ICU

“The police are trying to say Xander might have started the fire deliberately”

“WHAT - I mean what – oh god no way!”

“I told them that, he was hit on the back of the head with a fire extinguisher”

“By whom?”

Anya stopped outside a set of doors, and just shrugged

William looked up. He could see through the glass Xander propped up in bed, his head swathed in bandages, oxygen mask on and tubes coming out of him everywhere…

He felt his eyes watering again and he said quietly

“Can I go to him?”

“Sure…come on” Anya led William into the Intensive Care Unit and let William got to the bedside

“You can hold his hand” Anya encouraged

Being careful of the Canula drip and feed in his arm, William shakily took Xander’s hand

“Hello my friend…I just………oh god…please be alright” tears fell down his face but he continued,

“I just wanted to say, no matter what the police say…I know it’s not your fault okay – I’d never blame you” Anya slipped her hand into William’s, rested her forehead against Williams arm and she too began to cry softly.

After sitting with Xander and Anya for half an hour, William said he’d phone Buffy and went outside to do it.

He’d just flipped his mobile shut after phoning Buffy and telling her everything he knew, when he saw the enquiries desk lady point to him with her pen and tell the detectives that he was William Giles. They all went and sat on the bench by the vending machines and asked William some questions

“………AND you can forget all this rubbish about it being Xander that set the gallery on fire- I trust that man with my life and he’d never do anything like that!”

“Well sir, have you any enemies?”

“Not that I can think of, why?”

“Because sir, it was Arson…do you know what this is, sir?”

One of the detectives showed William a plastic evidence bag. Inside was the metal base of a halogen light bulb, it was blackened and there was no glass, just the base and the wire filament inside.

William frowned and peered at it and said,

“Looks like some sort of exploded burnt out lamp, why?”

“Do you know what kind of lamp it is, sir?” the other detective asked

William looked again, and then he said,

“A halogen type I think, I don’t use them”

“So how come this was retrieved from the gallery floor?”

“I don’t know, I never use them, I only use the low energy bulbs, I have an account with Philipson’s who make them. I know not to use halogen lamps, they give off too much heat and when exhibits are shown, they more often than not use flammable materials such as oil based paints or varnishes – besides which, if I used those, the insurers wouldn’t pay out…” The last five words William said made him sit up – his gallery was up in smoke, and he might not get it’s value from the insurance company.

“Oh god…where’s that bloody Stebson, why haven’t you arrested him yet, huh? – You can bet your sweet life this is all down to him!” William stood getting angry

“Will you please remember where you are and keep your voice down!”

“Look, I’ve just about had enough of this, first you accuse my best friend, then me - when the real culprit is out there laughing at us – go and arrest Angel Stebson!”

“There is an arrest notice out for him sir, and his assistant Cordelia Chase, but they’re not at home and cannot be traced at the moment”

“That’s because he’s in bloody New York, don’t you cops know anything?!”

“New York, how do you know?”

“Because he’s being sued, he’s in court – it’s in all the bloody papers – god almighty don’t you even know that?”

Shame-faced one of the detectives stood and left to make a call………
Chapter 23 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thanks to all for the reviews, and thanks to CallMeKitten for the Americanese
William rang the doorbell, and Buffy answered. She took one look at his face and held open her arms. Immediately accepting her embrace, William just allowed himself to be held a while before he started talking.

“God, he looks awful…poor Anya’s in bits, and to top it all off the cops are trying to blame Xander for the fire! I told them no way!”

Buffy held him for a little while and then led him into the lounge and he sat on the sofa.

“Come on through and I’ll put the kettle on, are you hungry?” She went and put the kettle on.

“No…and guess what else – the police didn’t even know where to look for Stebson………………………………………….”

Buffy stirred the mug of tea and handed one to William

“Have you seen the gallery yet?” She asked

“The burnt out shell you mean…no, I couldn’t bring myself to go see it alone. The chief fire officer assures me that the vault is safe, with all the debris on top nobody could get in even without a steel door being there, but they want me to go tomorrow to see it”

“Well that’s a little comfort; you haven’t lost your work”

William sat forward and rubbed his face and yawned. He said

“Another thing…the insurance won’t pay out if its arson unless there’s a conviction”

“Oh god my poor, poor baby…” Buffy pulled him into a side-hug and he leant on her shoulder

“Stay here with me tonight?” Buffy asked

“Would you mind?”

“Silly. I’ve washed all your clothes for you, they’re in the drier as we speak” Buffy said

“Bless you. Anya made me come home to you – not that I needed much persuading - she said it’s pointless us both sitting there fretting over Xander.

“Didn’t you tell me they had a daughter?”

“Yeah – Hailey -luckily when it happened she was at a sleep-over at a friend’s house, the same friends are keeping her until Xander gets better”

“And what’s the prognosis with him?”

“The longer he’s unconscious, the more the worry. And his lungs have been lightly kippered with the smoke inhalation”

“What was Xander doing back at the gallery so long after it closed?” Buffy asked

William told her what Anya had told him. He yawned again, and Buffy said

“Want a bath or a shower?”

“Hmm…a hot shower would work wonders” William said, his eyes closed with his head still resting on her shoulder

“Come on then, I’ll show you how to work things”

ooOOoo


………………My client Mr Parker Abrams is willing to accept a sum of $250,000 for his contribution to the piece of artwork, else we take it to trial”

Angel leaned to the side of him and whispered to his lawyer one word, ‘Trial’.

Alan Sharp collected his papers together, stood and said,

“Then we go to trial”

oOo

“This court is in session…all rise for Judge Ethan Rayne”. The judge came into the court room and sat down. He banged down his gavel and everybody sat down

“What happened to the woman judge?” Angel whispered to his lawyer. Alan Sharp shrugged and said he didn’t know.

“This case was allowed through by Judge Keogh, personally I would have dismissed it out of hand, but are you both ready with your opening statements?”

“I am your honour” Alan said, then Abrams’ lawyer also said the same.

“Good, get on with it then!” Angel brightened at the judge’s attitude, it looked better for him, this judge would have thrown it out originally…

After hearing what it was all about, the judge said

“I’ve never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life – I don’t know whose worse, you for making it so-called art, or you for claiming for it…you can’t call throwing away a meal ‘work’ – and I can’t for the life of me see that slapping a bit of varnish over it is art, but then again there are those – case dismissed – he banged down the gavel again and stood up

Angel grinned and so did his lawyer, they shook hands. The court doors opened and in strode two officers from the NYPD. They came straight up to Angel and Cordelia

“Angel Brendan Stebson – you are under arrest for arson and attempted murder of one Mr Alexander Harris…”

“Cordelia Regan Goneril Chase, you too are under arrest for conspiracy to setting fire to Giles’ Fine Art Gallery…”

Angel looked at Cordelia and said,

“Goneril?” Cordelia slapped him around the face and hissed

“I KNEW you were up to something, well you better get me out of this coz I have nothing to do with – ow –OW get off, your hurting me – take them - OW!” the cop took no notice of her as he slapped handcuffs on and tightened them, then he pushed her towards the back entrance door.

They were both taken down in the lift through the back entrance and put into separate cars and driven to the station. There were two Sunnydale cops waiting for them, and after the paperwork had been transferred, they were put on a flight back to Sunnydale.


ooOOoo

William woke. He looked around unfamiliar surroundings. Buffy stirred and he felt her warm hand on his stomach

“You okay baby?” She asked sleepily

“Yeah…forgot where I was for a sec – now it’s all come flooding back, my gallery’s gone, my best friend is in hospital…no more holiday” Buffy sat up and put the light on

“I’m so sorry baby, really I am!” William sat up and stroked her face and said

“Hey, you have nothing to be sorry for – you are the only one bright thing I have at the moment, it’s only you keeping me together”

Buffy leaned forward and kissed him and said

“I’m here for you Will – anything you want” It was at that moment his stomach positively growled and he put his hand on it and said

“Oh god, excuse me!” Buffy smiled and said,

“Hungry?”

“Actually, now you come to mention it…yes, yes I am, starving! – What’s the time?”

“It’s 4.45am – but if you think about it, it’s really lunchtime as we’ve been used to”

“Yes it is I suppose!” Buffy went to get out of bed

“Where are you going?”

“To get you something to eat!”

“Don’t be silly, get back into-“

“Nope, I’m going to do you something and then we can come back to bed”

William smiled and relented

“Okay. Oh and babe” she turned towards him slipping on her robe

“Hmm?”

“I love you” Buffy beamed at him, leaned over ruffled his hair and kissed him again and said

“I love you too, you lie there I won’t be long”

William lay listening to Buffy pottering about in the kitchen, and a little over ten minutes later she appeared in the doorway carrying a tray. She slid it onto the nightstand and leaned over and while William sat up, she plumped up the pillows.

“You tuck into this, I’ll just go fetch the tea”

“Hmm, looks wonderful, thanks babe!” he began to tuck into the omelette she’d made for him. Two minutes later she returned with a plate of toast and two mugs of tea.

“Hmm, that was delicious – hit the spot!” he took a mug of tea off her and they both munched on the toast

“I’ve got a meeting with the fire department this morning………would you come with me – please?”

“Of course I will. Is it at the gallery?” William just nodded and then he said

“And then I said I’d go and relieve Anya at the hospital so she can go home and shower and change and that, she just wants Xander to wake up to a friendly face, will you stay with me?”

“As long as you want me there, I’ll be with you”

William leaned over and kissed her

“You’re a star”

“Come on, lets snuggle down and have another couple of hours sleep, shall we?”

“Ahh…oh!”

“What’s the matter pet?”

“Toast crumbs!”

ooOOoo

William and Buffy got out of the fire officer’s car, and stood looking at a huge gaping gap where the gallery had once been. There was scaffolding around the two buildings either side of where the gallery once was, and barriers around the ground floor front. There was a huge truck that was having rubble and the charred remains of the building loaded into it via an earth mover. It’s big hopper on the front scooping up a load and dumping it into the truck.

William’s eyes watered – all his hard work, gone up in smoke…Buffy squeezed his hand, she couldn’t help let a few tears slip. People stood in small groups and watched the earth mover do it’s job.

“Oh god…it’s gone – just………just gone!” She whispered

They hugged, and the fire officer took a call on his mobile. When he’d finished he came over to them and asked,

“Mr Giles, did you use any varnish on the floors of the gallery at all?”

“Varnish, no, it was wooden panelling, only a non-slip wax polish why?”

“Only in several places or forensic team found small dark blistered spots on the wood – they’ve turned out to be spots of a polyurethane varnish they found the same on a half-burned plinth and on a burned out halogen lamp that hadn’t quite burned too”

“Well, that must have been the arsonist…did you say the vault was secure?”

“As we can make it, do you have access from the parking lot?”

“Yes – I’ll just go and-“

“No, I’m sorry Mr Giles, one of our safety officers will have to access the danger first, after all, we don’t want the roof falling in on you do we?”

“No – we definitely don’t!” Buffy said, squeezing William’s hand.

ooOOoo

Interview Room 2

“How many more times do I have to tell you, we swapped cars – he had my Cirrus, I had his Viper! – I wasn’t there at the gallery, I was at Merrydale Golf Club until 4pm, then I left, went home changed my clothes and went to Sunnydale Airport where I waited for Angel – we were being flown to New York on a cargo plane because he couldn’t afford a regular flight” Cordelia said

Interview Room 3

“Now, let’s turn to your accomplices” the detective said

“I didn’t have any”

“No – not your faithful personal assistant Miss Chase?”

“No, she’s totally innocent of all this, she didn’t know a thing”

“Then how come her car was seen in the parking lot at the Gallery around the time the fire started?”

“Because we’d swapped cars – look, I’m practically broke, I’ll admit it, the car and the house in Sunnydale are the only things I really have bought and paid for – I gave her my car as payment in lieu of wages, and I’ve been using her car as it isn’t such a gas guzzler as mine”

“What about Mr Harris, where does he fit into all of this?” Jon Levinson asked the hapless Angel

“Who’s that? – Oh is that the guy that I hit with…um…don’t know. Don’t know what he was doing back at the gallery, but he wasn’t an accomplice. He arrived at the wrong place at the wrong time, saw me, I panicked, slugged him the fire extinguisher. Um….how is he? Do you know?”

“Still unconscious”

“Oh – he had nothing to do with it”

“So you’re telling me that neither Mr Harris nor Miss Chase had anything to do with the fire”

“That’s correct” Angel said. The detective got up and left the room. A policeman stood guard by the interview room door.

Jon Levinson knocked the door of number 2 interview room and put his head around the door

“Can I have a word” Det. Bill Fordham nodded and left the room, they both stood in the corridor

“He’s copping to the lot, states that neither his assistant or Harris had anything to do with the fire” Levinson said

“Did she tell you they swapped cars?”

“Uh huh, she said that at the time of the fire she was at Merryvale Golf Club – that’ll be an easy enough alibi to check out. Did Stebson say why Harris was there?”

Levinson said,

“Stebson says he didn’t know why Harris was there, he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. So what he told his wife, about driving passed the red Cirrus belonging to Miss Chase was true as they’d swapped cars”

“Detective – you’ll both want to see this” A cop said to them and took them into an evidence viewing room. On the TV they saw CCTV footage of Angel arriving in the Parking lot, and then the tape was run on 18 minutes, they saw Xander Harris leave, and Angel get a box out of the car and go to the lift. The tape was run on again for 1 and 18 minutes, and Xander Harris’ car was seen arriving again at the parking lot and screeching to a halt. Two minutes later Angel was seen to leave at speed.

“Right then, I’ll just check with the golf club to make sure her alibi pans out, and then I think it’s safe to let Miss Chase go, it’s obvious from what we’ve seen on the tape the truth has been told, and I’ll just phone the hospital, I’ll check on Harris’ health, then I’ll go in and formerly charge Angel Stebson with Arson and attempted homicide”

“I’ll do the phone calls, you get Stebson to write his confession” Det. Fordham said and he went into the office to make the calls.

Five minutes later he knocked on Interview Room 2, and Levinson came out.

“Her alibi checked out, she was at the club from 1.30 until 4, she actually had lunch with the owner’s son”

“How’s Mr Harris?”

“Still the same I’m afraid, he hasn’t yet regained consciousness – but I thought I’d go over to the hospital, give Mrs Harris the good news that he’s not under suspicion any more. But before all that…”

Fordham opened Interview room 3 and said,

“Okay Miss Chase, thank you for your time, you are free to go, no charges”

“About time too. Can I see Angel?”

“Not at the moment, he’s been formerly charged with arson and attempted murder”

Cordelia looked shocked and then she said,

“When can I see him?”

“When we can appoint him a lawyer, he said he didn’t want one present”

Cordelia left the room, she knew what she was going to do. Phone Rack.

oOo

Five Hours Later – Angel’s house in Sunnydale

“Man! It’s good to see you at last!” Angel shook hands with Rack

“Remember what I said, you better party on down tonight like you’ve never partied before – it could be his last night of freedom” Cordelia had said to Rack earlier

“Two million bucks bail – don’t let me down!” Rack said

“He won’t – he’s had to surrender his passport, I’ll be sure to get him to the station on time tomorrow” Cordelia said, now I have work to do”

“Oh princess…you mean you’re not going to party with us?” Rack sounded disappointed

“Nu huh, not me………I know you Rack, you’ll have more than enough –um girls and stuff!”

“Got girls, got the rest of the band, got booze and got a lot of something to make it go with a bang!” Rack said laughing

“Quite!” Cordelia gave him a pained smile, and then looking at Angel she said

“Can I just have a quick word with you in private?” They moved off into the hallway leaving Rack making a call on his mobile phone.

“Sure – oh Cordelia thanks for this I really do appreciate all that – “

“Yes, yes, be quiet, now listen to me, you’re going to need a top lawyer”

“Too late, I already –“ Angel started, but Cordelia put her hand over his mouth

“LISTEN! There’s a chance you could get off on a technicality, but you need somebody good, and I when I say good, I don’t mean the Alan Sharp’s of this world, I mean somebody from Wolfram and Hart’s calibre”

“But I can’t afford it!”

“Yes, you can! Look, you told me you’d got two off-shore accounts – what good are they to you if you’re mouldering in jail? Pay for the best lawyers, get off, write a book about being ‘out of your mind’ when you did it, the bad boy of art, you’ll sell a million – two million, they’ll be book tours, TV interviews, other countries…I bet one of the Hollywood directors would want to make a film out of it - you’ll clean up money wise, make more than you ever spent!”

Angel grinned –

“My god…you’re a genius, a fucking GENIUS!” he picked her up and swung her around

“Well, how do I get to those accounts?” Cordelia asked

Angel looked over his shoulder and said quietly

“On my computer, go to banking and open file named ‘Other’ type RainydayCayman as one word that’ll get you into the one, for the other type Swisscheese for the other – oh Cordy………god girl I love you!” Angel said holding her face gently. Cordelia smiled, repeated what he’d said to her and then she said,

“Leave everything to me, I’ll sort it for you”

ooOOoo
End Notes:
Let me know what you think
Chapter 24 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews - this is dedicated to all the regular reviewers!! A big Thank You!
Chapter 24

“I can’t believe it, people are being so kind!” William said, shaking his head in disbelief. He flipped shut his mobile and continued,

“That’s the forth gallery owner I don’t know offering me space to store my work!”

“Why shouldn’t people want to help you, this isn’t your fault that you lost your business” Buffy said

“I know, but, I’ve never met them before and they’ve offered me space for my work until I’m in such a position to have them back securely, isn’t that kind”

“You’d do the same for a fellow artist wouldn’t you?” Buffy said smiling, and William grinned at her, he
was touched by his fellow artist’s generosity. They entered the hospital and went to the ICU

Anya was nodding asleep by the bed. She had dark circles under her eyes and she’d lost weight, because basically she was living on vending machine drinks and the odd bite of sandwich which she didn’t really want.

Buffy sat outside on the bench while William went in to ask Anya if she minded Buffy being there………

“Anya…Anya?”

“Hmm – oh hi William” Anya yawned and stretched

“How is he today?”

“No change………I sit here listening to the beep-beep of the machines hoping something will happen – good happen I mean…but he hasn’t moved”

“Anya, you look so tired love, why don’t you go home and get some proper sleep – we’ll stay with him – I’ve got Buffy with me, I hope you don’t mind?”

“Where is she?”

“She’s waiting outside, I wanted to check with you first to see that you didn’t mind her coming”

“Of course not, bring her – no, tell you what, I’ll get her, you sit” Anya said and left the room

William smiled when they came in, Anya was holding Buffy’s hand and they were talking about Hailey.

“Will, Anya was just telling me Hailey’s friend, the one she’s staying with can’t look after her tomorrow, so I said we would, we could take her shopping and then for some lunch, she can see her daddy for a few minutes then she can come back to mine and stay, I’ll get some DVD’s and popcorn and stuff”

“Would you mind William?” Anya asked

“Of course not, we told you anything you wanted, we’ll help – now are you alright for money?”

“Yes, his wages go into our joint account I use my card when shopping. Oh god, what does he want now?”

Anya went to the door of the room and went out, William couldn’t see who it was, Buffy said

“It’s that detective Levinson”

oOo

“Mrs Harris through our on-going enquiries I’d just like to inform you that your husband is no longer under suspicion about the fire, and we’ve charged Angel Stebson with the act and also for the attempted murder of Mr Harris”

“Good. About time too”

“Um…is Mr Giles in there?” Levinson looked through the glass into the unit

“Yes, I’ll pass on the message”

“Would you, that’s very kind. How is he, by the way?”

“My husband?” Anya asked, and the detective just nodded

“There’s no change, he hasn’t moved an inch since they brought him in”

“I see, well I hope he –“

“Yeah, yeah…thanks I’ll pass on your message” Anya turned and quickly came back into the room. She’d never forgive them for suspecting her husband in the first place – William knew the truth straight away – and told them so too!”

ooOOoo

“Uncle William…”

“Yes love?”

“I really like Buffy, she’s really nice” William grinned

“She is isn’t she!” Just then the curtain swished back and Buffy came out of the changing room

“So…whaddya think Hailey – like it?” Buffy asked turning this way and that

“Hmm…but I like the green one better!” Hailey said and Buffy grinned

“You know what, me too! Right then, I’ll just get the green one, and then we can go for some lunch, okay?” Buffy had bent over to Hailey’s height.

“Yeah!”

Ten minutes later in the food court…

What are you going to have uncle Will?”

“Hmm…let me see…as it’s a special occasion, I think I’ll have a bacon double cheeseburger with fries and a Coke! – Buffy?”

“Well, sounds good…but I think I’ll have a chicken burger with crispy bacon…and a strawberry milkshake – what would you like Hailey?”

“Anything?”

“Anything you want pet”

“Can I have the same as Buffy – But no pickle!” the child asked

“Of course you can!” Hailey and Buffy grinned at each other.

William stood and said he’d fetch them.

“Uncle William, why did that man burn down your gallery, and why did he hurt my daddy?” Hailey asked when she’d eaten her lunch.

William cupped her face and said softly

“I don’t know princess…I think he was short of money, and thought he could get some insurance money if the place burned down.

“But why did he hurt my dad?”

Oh baby girl…I think he was frightened that your daddy found him and would tell the police – he didn’t want to get caught”

“But they did, they catched him didn’t they”

“Caught him, yes they did!”

“Will he go to jail?”

“I’m sure he will, it’s where bad people go” William said. Just then his phone rang, it was Anya

“William!”

“Anya – what is it – is everything okay - what’s wrong?”

“Nothing – it’s Xander, he’s woken up!”

“Really – oh that’s fantastic – Hailey, your daddy’s awake! Here talk to your mom” he passed her his phone

Buffy and William grinned at each other and after speaking to her mother Hailey handed the phone back to William

“We’ve just had lunch, we’ll be right over…what – an hour – okay, no that’s fine – okay then, see you in an hour, bye!”

“We’ve got to give them an hour so they can do some tests on your dad, then we can all go see him – isn’t that fantastic!”

Hailey smiled and said it was.

“Well I know a shop which we can spend a little time in!” Buffy said

“Where?” Hailey asked

“Well, this shop has some Hannah Montana jewellery and hair slides and stuff…and as you’ve been such a good girl, I think another treat is coming up, don’t you uncle Will?” Buffy said as they collected their stuff up and left the food court”

“Sure do!” Hailey giggled and held a hand of each of them.

ooOOoo

Cordelia sat at the computer in the office upstairs at Angel’s place. Downstairs loud rock music was playing, and intermittently there were girlish screams of laughter and the sound of breaking glass.

“Hmm…now let me see…open banking………go to ‘Other’…type in ‘RainydayCaymen’………and let’s see what we’ve got…hmm, nice little nest egg there, nearly three million, okay what do I want to do, close account…transfer cash to account number 5679344231..AD Sunnydale………close that, now for account number two, back to Other…type Swisscheese………hmm, two million…close account, transfer cash to account as before, 5679344231 AD Sunnydale...wipe history.

“Delia! (hic…Cordy…CORDE(hic)LIA!”

“Oh fuck, what does he want now…” She got up and opened the office door to see a VERY drunk Angel wobbling half way up the stairs, he was holding a half-full bottle of Jack in his hand

“There (hic) there you are! Come an…(hic) comeand (hic) come an haveadrinkwithus”

“I can’t, I’m looking for a good lawyer for you!”

Angel sat down carefully and beckoned her over. Cordelia rolled her eyes, carefully closed the office door and went to Angel

“You (hic) you’re my bess-girl…gonna save me aren’t (hic) aren’t you!”

Cordelia just smiled as he pulled her into a sideways hug and then she screwed up her face when he planted a wet smacker on her cheek.

“Should never have (hic) never, ever (hic) never have let you get way (hic) from me…love you I do! (hic) want some?” he offered her the bottle and she politely declined and took his arm from around her.

“I’ll come and have a drink with you when everybody has gone, okay?”

“(hic – Promise? (hic)”

“I promise, now you join the party, go on!”

“Angel – where the fuck are ya – Angel – ANGEL – oh - there you are – come and look at what this daft fucker’s doing…” Angel sort of slid down the stairs and stood up unsteadily and lurched into the lounge. There was a terrific crash and more breaking glass and loads of loud laughter.

Cordelia quickly stood and went back into the office and opened the safe. She took out the title deeds to the house and she filled her own name in, and then signed it with Angel’s signature. She’d been doing it for years now, she could do it in her sleep. Even the bank thought that her signature was Angel’s…and the last thing she had to do was write a letter………

ooOOoo


Anya met William, Buffy and Hailey by the drinks machines. She was wringing her hands and pacing back and forward

“Mom look what Buffy bought me!” Hailey ran to her mother, but she could see she looked really worried and asked what was wrong

“Come and sit with me a minute and let your mom talk to your uncle Will” Buffy said gently, and Hailey did as she was told and sat next to Buffy on the bench

“What is it love?” William asked worriedly

“It’s Xander…he – oh god…he can’t feel his legs below the knees!” Anya crumpled into William’s embrace and Hailey stood and went to her mother

“Mom – what is it, what’s wrong?”

Anya quickly wiped her tears away and said

“Now Daddy’s very tired, so no jumping around him okay, you must be quiet and you mustn’t touch anything, he’s got lots of tubes and wires in him at the moment, they’re helping to make him better so don’t be frightened okay?”

Hailey nodded and went back and held Buffy’s hand

“Will you come in with me Buffy?” Buffy stood still holding her hand and said

“If your mom says it’s okay then of course!”

“Sure- you’re as good as family go on in, I won’t be long”

When they went in, William said

“Well what did the doc say, is it a temporary thing or…”

“They’re having another look at the X rays, they might have missed a broken vertebrae or something…oh here’s the doc now” Walking towards them was the consultant surgeon, Mr Ben Glory

“Mrs Harris – would you come this way please?”

Anya looked at William and he said he’d go and sit with Xander

Anya went with the doctor who took her into his office. He switched the light on a box on the wall and took an X ray out of a large envelope. It was of a skull and the first five vertebrae

“I don’t know if you can see here…between the second and third vertebra, (he pointed with a pen) there’s a hairline crack, we missed it but it should be too much trouble, we’ll put a cage around your husband’s head to restrict his movement, this numbness he’s feeling in the lower part of his legs should pass in a few days”

“And if it doesn’t?” Anya asked

“Well, there’s lots of other things we can do, don’t worry, let’s cross that bridge when we come to it shall we?”

They walked back to ICU. William had whispered to Buffy what Anya had told him while Hailey was showing her dad the necklace that Buffy had bought her.

“Are you going to be alright daddy?”

“Yes princess, I will be” he said croakily and he ran his hand down her silky blonde hair.

“Thank you for having her today”

“Don’t be daft, she’s a complete joy to have, and the day isn’t over yet is it poppet, were going to have DVD’s, popcorn and we’ll braid each others hair!” Buffy said. Xander smiled sleepily

ooOOoo


The letter was written and Cordelia left it in the draw and locked it. Outside she could hear motorbikes revving and the squeal of brakes

She looked out to see the lawns being churned up by bikers

She went downstairs and announced that ‘somebody – one of the neighbours’ had called the police. Everybody soon left. The lounge looked like a bomb had hit it; literally it was a sea of spilt drink, empty bottles, up-turned broken furniture and broken glass. One girl was passed out on the floor.

“Oi…you!” Cordelia called out, and the last band member looked at her

“Take that with you” she said pointing to the girl. He marched back in, picked the girl up, threw her over his shoulder and left.

Angel was passed out on the sofa. Quickly she donned some surgical rubber gloves on and scanning around she saw three lines of coke on a table. She carefully scraped it all into a clean ash-tray, then as luck would have it she found a baggie where that passed out girl had been lying…putting the merest dot on her tongue she knew it to be heroin – and low and behold there was another on the sofa – more than what she needed. She mixed the two baggies with the coke and cooked it up. She drew it up into the syringe and tapped it to get out any air-bubbles.
She took it upstairs and put it in Angel’s nightstand.

“Angel….Angel come on time for bed!”

After twenty minutes of pleading, cajoling, heaving and pulling, she’d got him upstairs and into bed.
End Notes:
Let me know what you think!!
Chapter 25 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Many thanks to Vette Hayden for the beautiful banner she made me for this story, and thanks to Andy who installed it, with the help of Callmekitten, coz I’m hopeless with computers!!
Chapter 25




“Is she asleep?” Buffy asked

“Yes…I’ll carry her upstairs – it was better for her to stay here where she’s in familiar surroundings” William said, carrying Hailey to her own bedroom.

You do that and I’ll order the take-out, and then open the wine” Buffy said going into Anya’s kitchen.

“So what’s going to happen tomorrow?” Buffy asked

“Well, I can get into the vault, and that chap from the Mercury Gallery will put my stuff into storage for me”

“Have you phoned that woman from Art World and told them you can’t make the judging panel now?”

“Our trip to Milan – never mind, I’ll take you there another time and you can have my undivided attention.” William said.

“And have you told the insurance company that there’s been an arrest for the burning down of the gallery?”

“Hmm, I phoned them, they said to contact them again after the trial, they will make a decision. (Ding Dong) - I’ll get it, it’ll be the food”

William went to the door and paid for the take-away, while Buffy fetched the plates and wine.

ooOOoo


Cordelia tossed and turned. She couldn’t sleep – could she actually do what she’d got planned? Ripping him off monetary wise was nothing, she’d been gradually siphoning off hundreds of thousands from his accounts every year – well, why not? He left her to do everything, he’d made it easy for her! He say something like, “Tell those builders at the Malibu Beach house that I’ve changed my mind, I don’t want Corinthian pillars around the pool now, I want it open plan with an awning cover at one end, like this” And he’d give her a magazine. She would tell him the builders are fed up of him chopping and changing his mind, and had walked off the job and needed paying off. Angel would shrug and she would transfer $100,000 to her account, and just tell the builder’s of the changes wanted – they couldn’t care, as far as they were concerned, it was a paying never-ending job! She’d say to them, ‘sell the pillars if you can, and divide the money between you, just don’t tell him – oh and your now known as AAA Builders, can’t pay you out on the old name as you’ve walked off the job, can I’ she was happy, the builders were happy and Angel was getting what he wanted so………but to end his life? Could she actually stick the needle in and do it?

She got up at first light and went into the office. She unlocked the draw to take out the letter she’d written, but it had gone.

Frowning she looked in her purse, and then thought she might have put it in the drawer of Angel’s nightstand along with the ‘loaded’ hypodermic, although she didn’t remember doing it…she went over to Angel’s room and listened for a few seconds before opening the door quietly and going in. She could see a huge lump in the bed and she quietly padded to the nightstand. She just reached out to open it when a hand shot out from underneath the bedclothes and caught her firmly by the wrist making her jump

“So…” Angel said sitting up, still holding her wrist, he pushed her hard backwards and she stumbled, just catching hold of the chair before she fell.

She was going to swing the chair at him when she saw the small calibre pistol in his hand, pointing right at her. Her first thoughts were – where the fuck did he get THAT from, and is it for real?

“Sit down Cordelia” he threw back the bedclothes, he was dressed

“Angel, I –“

“Sit down, and don’t say a word” She sat and swallowed, she was shaking like a leaf, her eyes not moving from the pistol.

“So…this is my suicide note is it…not bad, not bad” he pulled the letter she’d written from under his pillow and switched on the lamp, and read out loud from the letter:

‘To whom it concerns – I’ve confessed to the burning down of Giles’ fine Art gallery, and also to the attempted murder of his assistant. I can’t comprehend the enormity of what I’ve done – (he looked up at her and said,) don’t you think that sounds a bit – well, I dunno… a bit too fancy for me – a little too high brow perhaps? – Comprehend the enormity…see now I would have put something like ‘I don’t know how much serious trouble I’m in’ – but there you go. Right, now – where was I ….oh yeah, comprehend the enormity of what I’ve done, and I can’t live with it any longer. Please tell my friends I’m sorry and I’m sorry for what I did, Angel Stebson. Altogether now, aww, ain’t that a shame!”

“Angel, I wasn’t going to-” Cordelia started and sat up straighter in the chair

“I don’t remember telling you you could speak” he clicked off the safety catch on the pistol and jabbed it towards her

She flinched, grimaced and half turned on the chair, bringing her one leg up to shield her body and her arm to cover her cowering head

“Please Angel!” She was petrified

“Please Angel what?”

“L-Let me explain! – Please!”

She heard the safety catch click on and Angel said, okay then, let’s hear it”

She was trying to think fast, slowly she uncovered her head and let her leg slip down until she was sitting relatively normal again, she asked shakily,

“Please put the gun down!”

“Just say what you’ve got to say…” Angel waved the gun at her

“I was thinking all night – you confessing and without a lawyer present, it’s going to be virtually impossible for you to get off on a technicality…I was thinking this originally – I was going to get a hobo from town here…in my – your car, the Cirrus I mean…and then I was going to dress him in your clothes……shoot him up with that stuff in the hypodermic there, and then set fire to the car. I was going to make sure that he was really doused in gasoline first, so he couldn’t be identified…and...and then get Rack to take you somewhere in his Lear, anywhere you could just disappear”

“Go on”

“Well, that’s it!”

“What would I live on?”

“Your off-shore account money!” 5 million – she was waving goodbye to five fucking million…but if she kept her life…

“And you’ve closed both accounts and don’t tell me, the money’s in your account now!” Angel said scowling

“Well of course – how would you access an account in your name? It’s just in my account until you set up your new identity” Angel frowned – had he read it wrong – was that what she’d planned for real? – Course it wasn’t – coz Rack hadn’t said a word to him about it…

“I don’t believe you!”

“Look – I haven’t had time to do much – since NY you’ve been either been on a separate plane home, at the station house or with some fucking two-bit hooker around your neck – I didn’t know you were going to confess – I thought you’d try and blame that assistant or say it was somebody put up by Prince Arreeza - I couldn’t talk to you last night or Rack, neither of you were in any fit state! Or you’d have blabbed it out and one of those hookers would have let their mouth run away with them – or even another member of the band” Angel frowned – what she said was true, it sounded like a good plan too………………… had he got it wrong?

Cordelia relaxed a little, she needed to give an Oscar winning performance now if she was to be believed…

“Please Angel, I couldn’t kill you…(let the tears fall) why do you think I’ve stayed all these years – after….after Faith? I could have killed you last night you were hopelessly drunk I could have stuck a needle in you and you’d have never been any the wiser – and you tell me you love me – how could I do that after you say that to me – the words I’ve been longing..(sniff) I couldn’t kill you Angel, I just couldn’t” she reasoned.

The real reason was, she didn’t know how long it would take to empty and close the off-shore accounts, also Angel wasn’t in any fit state to ‘commit suicide’ – last night, and definitely in no fit state to write a suicide note, that’s why she was going to leave it till now, the morning…

“Oh fuck Cordy I’m sorry, I’m sorry love – I got you wrong!” he immediately dropped the gun on the bed and went to her.

She relaxed – they had plenty of time now.

“I’ve got to get you to the station house by 10” Cordelia said, delicately wiping her eyes on the back of her hand so as not to smudge her mascara.

“I’ll drive you there and back to the bail hostel, and then we can come back, get some cleaners in to clear up and – (DING DONG) who can that be at this hour?”

“Is there much mess then?” Angel asked as Cordelia went downstairs to answer the front door

“Go see for yourself!” as all she said. She came back five minutes later

“I’ve had to promise Mr Synder that we’d get his lawn repaired – the bikers churned it up last night”

“Bikers, what bikers?” Angel asked

“Some friends of Rack’s, turned up about 2am…you were well gone, passed out on the sofa, I had a game and a half getting you to bed”

Angel grinned at her saying that and said

“Surely not! – Come on then, I suppose we’d better get-“

“Angel…not out the front…there are loads of paparazzi out the front”

“What? Oh SHIT!”

ooOOoo

“Have I got to go to school?” Hailey asked disappointedly

“Fraid so honey, but listen, tonight you’ll stay with Dawny again, and on Saturday I’ll come over and take you both out - we’ll do something nice okay?” Buffy said

“Will you be there uncle William?”

“Only for a little while, I’ve got some people to see about lots of boring business stuff. You don’t mind being with Buffy do you?”

“On no, course not it’ll be fun” Hailey said grinning

“Here you go hon, one peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich, a box of raisins, a banana and a carton of apple juice – to go!” Hailey took her lunch box and put it in her school bag.

“Right love, got everything you need, books and stuff, homework” William asked picking up his car keys

“Yes”

“Right, okay then, lets go” The three of them left the Harris’ house and William dropped Hailey off at school, and then he and Buffy carried on to the hospital. When they got there they were greeted with the good news that Xander was no longer in intensive care and had a room of his own on the ground floor.

He looked better, he only had the one drip in him now, gone were the breathing apparatus and the heart monitor machine, but he now had a plaster bandage around his head with a complicated looking set up of thin metal rods making a frame around his head. This was to stop movement.

Anya look tired but she smiled when they walked in.

“Xander said that I’m no longer to sleep here at night, I’m to go home. Did Hailey go to school okay?”

“Yes – I said I’d take her and Dawny out on Saturday, that’s if you don’t mind?” Buffy said

“Mind? - I’d be very grateful actually; I can catch up with the washing and shopping – are you sure you don’t mind Will?”

“I’ll only be with them for half an hour or so, I’ve got to oversee my stuff going to the Mercury Gallery, it’ll be Buffy having them”

ooOOoo

Cordelia drove to the bail hostel and Angel went and signed in. She sat thinking while he was in there. Where the hell had he got that gun from? – She’d never felt so scared in all her born days as when he had that gun trained on her this morning. She’d amazed herself how quickly she’d come up with a plausible plot…she could hardly have said, ‘yes angel, that’s right, I’ve emptied all your accounts and now I’m going to bump you off making it look like suicide’. Grinning like a Cheshire Cat, Angel came out of the bail hostel waggling his left leg and he opened the car door

“Guess what, instead of hanging around here all day, I can come home coz I agreed to this!” He pulled up the leg of his jogger bottom pants and revealed a tag.

“It’s one of those electronic tag thingies”

“So I gathered”

“Come on then kid – lets go home” he jumped in the car with a grin. Cordelia was irritated beyond measure, she drove for a hundred yards or so, pulled in, turned off the engine.

“Why have we stopped – I’ve only got twenty minutes to get home or all sorts of alarms will go off and I’ll get arrested and I’ll forgo my bail!”

Cordelia gripped the steering wheel till her knuckles went white

“Where do you get off pulling a gun on me – huh - how dare you frighten me like that!” She put her hand to her forehead and squeezed her eyes shut, she didn’t want to cry in front of him, but it was delayed shock.

“Aww, hey I’m sorry!”

“Don’t touch me!”

Angel jumped back in his seat like a scalded cat from going to give her a hug.

“After all I’ve done for you…” She started the car and revved the engine and tore off like a bat out of hell.

Angel thought it best to say nothing more.
End Notes:
Let me know what you think as I'm a review hound!!
Chapter 26 by LoobyLoo
Author's Notes:
Dedicated to all the people who stuck with me through this one!!
Chapter 26

Three Months Later

There wasn’t a dry eye around when Xander walked out of hospital. Anya fussed around him, putting his collar straight and doing up his jacket, she offered him his walking stick, but he refused, saying he was sure he could make it a few hundred yards to the car. He held her arm and they walked slowly, Buffy and William next to them, Hailey dancing on ahead. The numbness in Xander’s legs had begun to wear off a week after the special cage was put on his head, and after minor surgery for a trapped nerve, he was perfectly better now, although he found he got tired quickly. This, the doctor told him was only to be expected, and he was to begin a fitness regime to build up his stamina. It involved walking and jogging on a treadmill if the weather was bad, or outdoors if good, cycling on a bike or machine for five miles a day, and swimming at least three times a week.

William had bought Xander a Gym pass, and got him a special personal trainer who worked with people after accidents or illness. He’s also told Xander never to worry as even if he had to sit or take to a wheelchair, there would always be a job for him at the new gallery.

ooOOoo

The three months that led up to Angel Stebson’s trial had seen him get up to all sorts of things, leading Cordelia a merry dance. There were at least four botched attempts at suicide by him, one with tablets and alcohol, but he threw up before the tablets could work. The second and third tries were with drug overdoses, the second time he tried the heroin had been cut with all sorts of rubbish resulting in a chemical imbalance in his brain.
The fourth and most serious of attempts, while trying to ‘eat his gun’ he shot himself through the cheek and blew out four teeth top and bottom. This prompted a long stay in hospital, and he was deemed mentally unfit for trial, and remanded for psychiatric reports. He was found to be criminally insane and couldn’t be charged. He was sectioned to stay at a high security psychiatric facility until he died or he was cured and was fit for trial.


ooOOoo

The insurance company informed William that as there hadn’t been a trial, as the perpetrator of the crime hadn’t been found ‘guilty by twelve of his peers’ they wouldn’t pay out on his policy. Incensed with the injustice of this, William took them to court and argued with his confession and over-whelming forensic evidence against Stebson, had it gone to trail, he would have certainly been found guilty of Arson and attempted murder. The insurance company argued that the confession was from someone who had been diagnosed as criminally insane and was worthless, but as a gesture of good will, they would pay him one million dollars, roughly one quarter of what the policy was worth. William said no to this, and the trial judge ordered the company to pay in full.

Even with the full four million dollars, William would have to find another one and a half million, building materials, and builders didn’t come cheap. The work already done clearing the site and getting it ready for building on again had cost nearly half a million alone, what with structural engineers doing tests on the walls of the other buildings either side, and of course the foundations and the parking lot had to be looked into too. The insurance trial had been in all the papers and the local news. Cordelia felt sorry for William, he was a nice man and was being made out of pocket for something that wasn’t his fault. She wrote him a cheque from the ‘overseas’ account, for two million dollars and took it to him.

At first William didn’t want it and wouldn’t take it, but she explained who she was and where the money was from. “I’m going to pay Prince Arreeza back his one million dollars too. The rest I shall just leave in the account for Angel – one or two of his pieces are selling now, notoriety I suppose. To tell you the truth, I had planned on running off with this money, but…well I’m getting married and my boyfriend has more than enough” William was stunned but pleased, it made his decision easier for him.

ooOOoo


William had asked the architect in charge of his building to make sure that the gallery was wheelchair friendly, after all, why should the disabled loose out? Not only that it was still early days for Xander and they found that going out and about with the family how difficult it could be with somebody in a wheelchair, just going for a cup of coffee could be a logistical nightmare!

Eight weeks later, the gallery was built. Modern, light and clean, with lots of glass, chrome and light wood it looked beautiful, and more importantly, William, Buffy, Xander and Anya loved it – as did Hailey. On three floors now instead of two, the top floor was a shop where posters, cards and art-related gifts could be bought, and there was also a coffee shop. This could be reached from a glass fronted ‘bullet lift’ outside the gallery, or from a normal lift from inside. Only too pleased to leave her boring low-paid office job, William made Buffy the manageress of the gift shop, and Anya ran the coffee shop, she was overjoyed that she could keep an eye her Xander, so he didn’t over-work himself. Rather than one big exhibition area on the ground floor, there was one room separated from the main, and the other part could be sectioned off too if need be. This gave a more intimate feeling for smaller pictures that tended to get swamped on a big bare wall.

It came the day of the ‘Grand Opening’ and William asked Hailey to cut the ribbon and declare the gallery open. She took the honour seriously and wrote a little speech all by herself. The local and national news came and it wasn’t only William the media wanted to talk to, he spent all morning giving interviews, so did Xander and the two ladies.

Later on that day, when the fuss had died down a little, William made an announcement and getting Buffy to hold his arm, he led everybody (including the local media and the representative from Art World magazine to outside the small exhibition room. Buffy noticed that above the room was a covered plaque on the wall. William said a few words and asked Buffy to pull the cloth off the plaque. To her astonishment the room was called ‘The Joyce Summers’ Room. It took all her will-power not to cry at this wonderful thing William had done.

William went on to explain that through Joyce’s kind gesture of letting people exhibit without charge, a few young and talented artists had been able to get their work seen without cost to them, thus allowing them to sell their work and make a proper living at it. (He didn’t however mention this was how Angel Stebson got on!)
William continued that this had been and inspiration to him, and the ‘Joyce Summers’ room would allow artists who would be nominated by their colleges or schools or Art teachers, to exhibit their work for a month to six weeks, they would be able to actually paint in there and speak to prospective buyers all without charge.

Seeing a chance for new customers, Art World magazine said they would run a feature on the nominate artists each month and sponsor them – William was thrilled.

ooOOoo

It seemed silly them keeping on two places, when William practically spent every night at Buffy’s. More of his stuff was at her place than his, and on the odd occasion they did spend the night apart, they were on the phone for hours talking about nothing, just to hear each other’s voice. The four drawings of Buffy he’d done and called ‘A Study in Blue’ and promised to get framed for her, now hung pride of place above the fireplace in the lounge.
He’d lately began to sketch her nude and Buffy woke up from lying on the bed to see him drawing her. She smiled and asked,

“Are you going to hang those at the gallery?” William smiled and replied,

“Certainly not, I can’t have all and sundry looking at my beautiful wife naked!” Buffy smiled and rested her head on her arms again, then her head shot up and said,

“Your WHAT?”

“Well now you see…I was going to cook you a special dinner, and put it in the dessert or something, I don’t know but…now’s a good a time as any…” William put down his drawing book, got down on one knee and said,

“Buffy Summers, Will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?” Out of his pocket he produced a small box, he flipped it open and Buffy’s tear-filled eyes bugged-out the size of the rock he’d got her

“I…oh William, it’s so beautiful!”

“Like you then…I know we haven’t been together all that long, but – well, I’ve never been so certain of anything in my life before, and I know it’s you I want, since the moment I first set eyes on you” Tears dripped down Buffy face and she reached up and hugged him to her.

“So…what do you say? – Going to make an honest man of me – will you be my wife?”

She let out a shriek and said,

“YES! Oh yes! Oh god William I love you so much!”

William slid the 2 carat diamond solitaire ring on her finger and Buffy couldn’t stop looking at it. She pulled his shirt out of his pants and he quickly divested himself of the rest of his clothes, slowing only to manoeuvre himself between her legs, he slowly entered her, Buffy gasped and arched her back, thrusting her hips upwards to seat him fully inside her. He waited a moment and whispered, ‘I love You Buffy’, before he too began to meet her thrusts. He captured her lips and their tongues fort a duel until passion took over and she tore her mouth to cry out long and loud as her climax washed over her like wave after wave pure pleasure. William felt the tight clench of her muscles and it triggered his own climax, her thrust up deep, gasping until he was fully spent. He gently rolled off her and they lay wrapped in each others arms.

“You know, Hailey’s going to be so excited when I ask her to be bridesmaid!”

William smiled and said,

“Well, keeping it in the family, I was going to ask Xander to be my best man”

“Anya can be an usher or something…might as well get our money’s worth!” They began to giggle.

THE END
End Notes:
Let me know what you think
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=33681