Tears In Heaven by bloody_bint
Summary: William was an angel, but when he falls to Earth due to a mistake he made, he finds he's now just a man. Faced with a brand new body, new emotions, and new experiences, he wants only to make amends for his error. With only his guardian angel to guide him, he sets out to make one Buffy Summers regain her belief in goodness, in life, and in love. As he gets to know her, though, he starts to wonder if maybe the heaven he's been trying to get back to is now right in front of him.
*Runner up: Best Original Character for Ulysses @ the SunnyD Awards*
*Runner up: Insider's Tip Award @ the CoH Awards*

Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 25863 Read: 12265 Published: 03/05/2009 Updated: 04/06/2009
Divine and Faithful by bloody_bint
Author's Notes:
*A/N: Hey I haven't written fanfic for years and I just started up again, only my second fic ever, hope you like it, please please please leave reviews and any comments!
Chapter 1: Divine and Faithful

Shock (n.) a sudden, powerful concussion; violent blow, shake, or jar to disturb the mind or emotions; to affect with great surprise.




He hit the hard wood floors with a surprisingly violent impact, a tornado of arms and legs.

“Ow! Ow! Ow!” William sucked in his first breath, lungs filling with chilled air.

He felt at the large bump forming on his hip, traces of black and blue already appearing.

“Bloody hell!” William’s eyes grew wide like a small child caught being bad and awaiting their punishment.

Dizziness engulfed him, he swayed in place on the floor, unfamiliar feelings swirling, pulsing within. His hands hit the gritty wood, splaying out for stability, his stomach contracted and hot bile spilled out in continual bursts until nothing was left.

Hyperventilating, he spun around, still crouched on the ground, eyes searching for something, anything he recognised.

Thick white light filled the room, covering his shivering frame, familiar somehow.

Something else, less familiar was on the edge of his vision. He strained his eyes to focus through the intensity of the light, until suddenly it disappeared like the flick of a switch and he stared, full wings spread out in all their glory…

THUNK

He was out cold.

~~

William’s lids fluttered unconsciously, he took in large gulps of newly needed air. Sound came rushing back to him and a voice echoed through his throbbing head.

“Hello in there.” A jovial laugh resounded.

Round cheeks and a warm smile filled his vision. The pain in his head was throbbing severely now.

He groaned as his hand reached up to caresses his aching skull soothingly.

“Nice to have you back, blondie.” The stranger winked charismatically.

Reality started to sink in and panic swelled deep within.

“Where am I? Who are you?” He sat up swiftly. “Oh!”

“Earth, Ulysses, and that, my chiselled friend, is pain.” A semi sympathetic look crept over Ulysses face. “Best get use to it, unavoidable here."

William’s blue, fear-filled gaze looked up at Ulysses.

“Th- that isn’t possible. I- I don’t belong here, I can’t. And what in the bleedin’ world are you?” William looked down at himself seemingly stunned at his words.

“Angel, of the Faithful variety, at your service.” He smiled, beams of sunlight shining through.

“My ass you’re an…” Again shock, guilt, pain and inevitably confusion.

“Tsk ,Tsk,” the angel replied. “That’s quite a mouth you have on you.” He arched a brow. “Don’t worry, William, he’s got bigger things to worry about then naughty words.” Ulysses smirked.

“But… I…I...” words wouldn’t form, his voice raspy and strained.

“... are a Divine. Have been since time began. Well, until now, that is. I, on the other hand, am a Faithful.” More confusion clouded William’s blue pools. “Let me break it down for you, ok champ?”

A feathery nod.

“Right, you and you’re lot, you tend to the flock so to speak, guardians to the souls in heaven,” Ulysses waited for a sign of comprehension before continuing, “You’re not the only Angels though bub, you don’t get to hang with us or anything, but there are others, Faithfuls we go by.”

William tilted his head in thought, trying desperately to process any of what was taking place.

“I, or we, I should say cause it’s not like I’m the only one, are the shepherds here on earth, you following the analogy still tiger?” Ulysses smirked deeply.

“Y- You’re an Earth Angel?” William’s voice rattled with uncertainty.

“I guess you could say that, though I’m not a huge fan of the song, the ‘50s were so overrated.” Ulysses shook his head reminiscing.

“So there are angels outside the gates?” This time he sounded appalled.

“Hey sport, someone has to tend to the strays, keep the balance.”

“Strays? Balance?”

“Yeah strays, there are only six billion or so souls on earth, nothing compared to the flock you got to maintain within the pearlies, and the balance is something you yourself have started to deal with just by having a human body,” another quizzical look shot back to him, “with the sudden urge to swear like a sailor, yeah I’d say your mortal bindings are all sorts of tempted.” He snorted.

“Tempted to what?” He couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“Not what slick, who… tempted by the devil.” William wavered once again, eyes glazing over, “Whoa- whoa there, blondie, can’t have you painting your new shell with any more of those pretty bruises now can we.”

“I can’t, I’m not, there’s no way.” He dug his nails into the ground, tensing every muscle.

“It’s not you personally, it’s just the whole good versus evil thing, earth is a little different then the kingdom you’re used to my friend, and for that I’m supremely sorry.” Ulysses squatted, placing a reassuring hand on William’s shoulder.

“I- I don’t understand, w- why am I...?” Here, he wanted to say.

“You fell.” Ulysses answered calmly

“How in the name of…” William flew to a standing position, eyes grew wide with sudden realisation and guilt at what he was about to say, “Oh, oh God!” Eyes wider still, he shouted, “No!” He spun around, trying to flee, slamming his toe into the table behind him, “Christ!”

He looked for all the world like a deer caught in headlights.

THUNK

Out again.

~~

“Hey!” Ulysses smacked the extremely sharp cheekbone of his new mission. “Wake up!”

“Wha…? Huh? Soddin’ hell.” William rubbed the twin bumps painfully throbbing at the back of his head, his eyes clenching shut as memories returned to him. “I’m going to hell.” He almost whispered the conclusion

“A bit melodramatic don’t you think,” Ulysses asked, smiling knowingly. “You think he would cast down an Angel for taking his name in vain.” He scoffed.

“Well, since I’ve been cast out of heaven and all that, I’m not burstin’ with confidence right Lyss.” He snarled.

“You weren’t cast out you big baby, so don’t go all Lucifer on me, you didn’t betray him, you and I both know that, you just, made a boo-boo that’s all.” The corner of his mouth crooked.

“Not a chance in h…” William stopped, drawing in a deep breath. “What exactly…?”

“Joyce Summers.” That’s all Ulysses had to say, understanding welling within William, tears spilling out.

“I- I, just once, she…” Tears fell freely rattling his virgin body with sobs.

“You broke a rule, cap’n, and now you have to make amends.” He pulled William to an upright position. “Heavenly souls aren’t meant to be allowed…” He shuddered, growing cold.

“I don’t know why I did the bleedin’ thing. I’ve never, never before, she was just, so, so… distraught.” A chill filled William as well.

“But really, blondie, letting her have a sight, letting her look back to earth after, well after… she passed, it disrupted things, you do know that right?” A solemn expression was written across Ulysses face.

“What? I never meant…” He fell back to the sooty stability of the hard wood.“I’m gonna come right out with it ok? It caused a rift, William.” Teary eyes of both men locked.

“No… what have I-”

“She’s trapped, somewhere between here and there, soul’s not in Heaven, not at rest, that’s all we know.” Ulysses hung a suddenly heavy head.

“Amends! You said I was here to make amends? Tell me! Tell what I have to do!” He stood again, firm on newly acquired legs.

“It’s not that simple…”

“Tell me!” He seized Ulysses shoulders in a tight hold.

“You’ve got to make her believe!” Ulysses pulled away, glaring at his mission.

“What? Joyce already… I mean she was in heaven and all.” His eyes pleaded for a deeper understanding.

“Not Joyce, the girl. Do you remember the sight at all, William?” annoyance dripped from every word.

“I didn’t look,” he mumbled inaudibly.

“Hey, I might be an angel but my hearing has seen better days. You mind repeating that, ace?” He snickered.

“I. Didn’t. Look.” He flushed with un-understood embarrassment.

“Oh cowardly lion wants courage does he… well you’ll see it again with the knowledge any-hoo, so lets get this show on the road right.” He raised a hand, wings spreading slowly as he approached William.

“Hey, won’t have you workin’ any mojo on me, mate…” William backed away abruptly.

“For heaven’s sake.” He laughed. “Do you know where you are? I mean other then Earth… do you have any idea what your human vessel needs? Wants? What these fun emotions you’re feeling are? How to maintain that nifty bleach job?” William furrowed his brow, “I didn’t think so, how could you? You aren’t human, you’re Divine.”

“Bloody right, and don’t you forget it!” He felt the need to defend himself.

“Down boy, no one’s threatening your new manly man attitude. But you need some info. You need to know how to use what God gave you.” Fits of giggles erupted from Ulysses. “I’m on fire today, really…”

William was staring at him, with a not-so-amused look clearly written over his face. “Sorry, it’s just I’m suppose to give you the knowledge. Show you a whole new world- ‘scuse the pun. Everything will be clear after, I swear. You’ll know how to make amends.”

“Really?” He thought for a brief moment. “Ok, Lyss, do your stuff, get on with it and what have you, I want to be done with this whole soddin’ thing.” He closed his eyes and took in a long slow breath.

“Right, don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“Wait! You didn’t…” His eyes flew open just in time too see thick golden wings snap to full span and a hand come down on his chest.

A scream, shrill and strained, pain evident, resonated through the darkness.

Images flashed more rapidly than his mind could blink them into memory, searing ache burnt through him. Joyce, California, Bloody, Shaggin’, Knickers, Bollocks, and then there was Buffy.

“Beautiful,” he said on a breath.

THUNK

And again.

~
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=33860