The Slayer : A Pirate's Tale by Kaylorin
Summary: Buffy is a feared pirate, having made a name over years of thievery. The Watcher is her home and with a crew of misfits she is out to reclaim the life that abandoned her as a child.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 52986 Read: 9945 Published: 05/05/2009 Updated: 12/04/2009

1. Ch 1 by Kaylorin

2. CH 2 by Kaylorin

3. CH 3 by Kaylorin

4. CH 4 by Kaylorin

5. CH 5 by Kaylorin

6. CH 6 by Kaylorin

7. CH 7 by Kaylorin

8. CH 8 by Kaylorin

9. CH 9 by Kaylorin

10. CH 10 by Kaylorin

11. CH 11 by Kaylorin

12. CH 12 by Kaylorin

Ch 1 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Well.. after having a very long laugh about my last attempt to post this (and I thank alllllllllll of you that immediately let me know my mistakes) I decided to do a little more work on the story itself before adding this story again. I've now got it nearly written and once again its gonna be a long one, guaranteed 20 chapters. That in mind and since many of you have already read the first chapter, I'm posting CH 1 and CH 2. *Warnings*
*Historical inaccuracies
*This story contains violence, sex, deception, and abuse.
(Anyone else think that seems more like a selling point than a warning?)
On the dingy floor of the storage compartment on the lower deck of the ship she was traveling on, young Elizabeth Summers, Daughter of Hank Summers, and heiress to more money then she knew existed, hid in a dark corner as she clutched her specially ordered stuffed pig. Mr. Gordo would protect her from the men above.

“Men.” She thought to herself. Even at the tender age of 11 Ms. Summers knew enough to understand these were not just men that had attacked the ship she was traveling upon. No, not men but pirates.

She’d heard the tales enough to recognize the flag she had seen just before being ushered to the lower deck and stashed away by one of the escorts hired to attend to her during the trip. She was being sent home, back to England by her father. Her mother having recently passed away, it had been the philanthropist’s idea to have his sister raise his only child. He was but a man, and had no idea how to bring up a young lady.

There was that, and the fact he simply couldn’t be bothered with it. He was a busy man after all. A business man. He ran one of the most successful trading companies and had several ports of call. These things took more attention than he had as it was. The last thing he needed to do was take more time for a child.

And so, before she had time to grieve for her mother, Elizabeth was ushered out of her home and onto a boat, or a ship as she was corrected for having named the vessel incorrectly. Wesley, the coachman that had taken her to begin her journey had had tears in his eyes. The usually reserved man had even embraced her before watching her escorts lead her away to her new life.

Now she was sitting with her arms hugging her legs to her chest with Mr. Gordo trapped between as she shivered from fear, listening to the bangs and clatter, and shuffling and screaming coming from above. Her teeth chattered together when yet another fire shot. A pistol this time. The canons had quieted minutes earlier. Another piercing scream of a man came and her head shot up trying to see through the dark and past the wood planks above her head to the deck of the ship.

Every once in a while she could tell someone was right above her. The foot steps thumping and echoing all around sometimes knocked dust loose from the rafters that gave extra support to the ceiling. She was listening hard for one particular sound. She’d heard it when her body guard left her and tried to hear it again. She needed to try to prepare herself. She waited for the sounds of feet on the steps only a few feet from her hiding place.

So far, the noise was above her. The Captain and his men of The Cutter II seemed to be defending the ship fiercely, but there was no way of knowing who had the upper-hand. The people her life was entrusted to, or the rogues who would take it without a second thought?

“Don’t worry Mr. Gordo.” She soothed herself through her most treasured toy. “The captain promised father. We will arrive safely in England.” And she continued listening.

Time passed in her little 11 year old mind. It was hard for her to measure how much, but she could tell that the number of people moving about was dwindling. There were fewer footfalls, fewer voices, and fewer clangs of swords attempting to cut through each other to get to their targets.

Then, it all seemed to stop. She could hear people now talking, crying, and one man screamed so loud Elizabeth could tell it was one of her personal guards. In fact it was the very man that had smiled at her, and told her not to move until he came for her.

Her blood drew from her face, and she suddenly felt very cold. “Please mommy.” She pled the darkness and began to rock herself back and forth in the small area among the crates that she had made her own. “Please?” She whimpered when she heard another voice, loud and unfamiliar one.

“Well gentleman,” Buffy heard the clear voice ring through the walls. “What are you waiting for?”

Then a roar of men yelling wordlessly followed and all the feet that had been still for only minutes moved in all directions. Elizabeth’s eyes darted from one corner to the other trying to follow the paths each pair of feet took but there were too many boots falling to wood, thudding from every direction.

She leaned back, and with eyes front boring holes into the crate’s side, still listening for someone to come down the wooden steps, Buffy waited. She held the wall behind her and slowly stood. The crates that had hidden her in the corner were stacked high enough that they hid her still, but only up to her forehead. Her bright blonde curls were pulled behind her in a ribbon leaving her from having to try to keep her vision clear, but she was unable to see over the crates so she began to move around them slowly.

There were only two rows of the personal cargo that blocked her view, also being carried along for the trip to the English port, but it took quite some time for her to get fully around on her still shaking legs. Not once had her grip loosened on her only friend, and the tiny pig went willingly.

She peered around the corner created by the parcels to see the steps that lead up to the deck. They were empty, and her ears had not lied to her. No one had even lifted the door in the ceiling that led to her not so comfortable accommodations.

Her fear did not lessen though. The rowdy men above still yelled at random from treasures they found, and she now heard more noise just past the wall that separated the cargo from the passenger areas. Each with their own staircase, and each having only that way in or out.

She remembered, the trap door that led to this area was difficult to see on deck. It’s pattern matched well with the wooden floor it was set in.

She stood in wait for some sign that her hiding place had been found.

Her wait was not as long as she would have liked.

“Cap’n!” She heard a voice call just moments before she heard the squeal of the hinges and a heavy thud of the door hitting the deck revealing a plain set of steps steeper than would commonly be found leading to quarters.

She scurried back into her corner. Crates with markings she recognized as her father’s surrounded her. A circle with and X at its center. A burned J appeared just below the emblem.

These details were of no consequence once the footfalls thudded down the stairs though as renewed fear gripped her chest making breathing a more taxing effort than was natural.

“The cargo, Capt’n” A jovial rough voice bellowed above the noise of a good plunder.

Elizabeth peered over the top of the crates concealing her enough to see an unwashed scrubby pirate leaning down to see into the dark holdings in the belly of the ship. She ducked falling back with a silent thud thanks to the many layers of fabric covering her rear in the latest fashion and listened.

“Scabbs.” Another voce said. The one that had asked what the ‘gentlemen’ had been waiting for. Buffy held her breath and once again strangled Mr. Gordo.

The steps creaked as a set of boots hit them at their decent. “Ah yes.” She heard the voice echo within the walls.

She listened intently while the pirate, apparently the leader of the marauders, looked over each area, commenting as he went. “Yes this will fetch a grand price”, or “This will be of use,” While he took stock of his newly acquired belongings.

“Hmm?” He said just a few feet from her. He was just on the other side of her space. A few stacks of crates away.

“What have we here?” He questioned.

Elizabeth held her breath hoping he wouldn’t decide to come around the crates. Only a few steps and he would find her between the wall and the boxes being carried along the now cancelled journey. What they would do if they found her, she could not guess.

What she would do if found was even more of a desperate question. One she dare not entertain. But the thoughts came, and before she knew it her eyes had begun to tear as fear and confusion finally overcame the protection of the brave stuffed pig Mr. Gordo.

She listened as she heard the top of one of the crates being pried open. The sound of wood crying out against the intrusion was followed by the clunk of the top being set aside.

She looked up at the edge of the crates within the darkened space.

“What?” The voce asked. Before she had a chance to wonder what had him asking questions she saw one of her gowns landing at her feet. He’d tossed it aside.

Granted it wasn’t one of her favorite dresses. But still, it was hers. She glared at the edge again then saw a pink dress fall. One she’d worn to her mother’s and father’s anniversary, picked out because her mother loved her in pink.

Her face drew again, saddened. Then several other dresses followed and her memories came easily while recalling a shopping trip with her mother, or a stroll along the parkway and any number of simple moments she’d spent with her much missed parent.

Then it happened. A doll fell to the floor. He’d reached more personal items

The China doll was of little consequence. She’d asked for Mr. Gordo. Father had explained that it was a simple item, that of a pauper, not suitable for his daughter and she’d received the china doll instead.

Dark curls and a beautiful peach formal gown with lace edging peaked back at her after undoing the ribbon and tearing off the white paper on her most recent birthday.

She’d smiled and thanked her father as any daughter would. Only later did she tell her mother how she hated the peach dress.

At once the Summers’ girls had gone to work at making a baby blue dress that would offset the hair well. It took weeks of tiny stitches but the dress was perfect with ribbon lining the edges and a fur lining in the collar, “For the cool nights.” Her mother had explained.

The splintered green eyes stared back at Elizabeth. After the doll landed on the dull wood floor just feet from the hidden child, her porcelain face had broken in half from the impact.

The seemingly dead eye still left in tact held her gaze until a lullaby began. The young girls head whipped around staring in the direction of a familiar tune.

The song, it was unmistakable, and so was its source.

The last thing her mother had given after Mr. Gordo mysteriously showed up one week after the doll’s dress was completed. Her last birthday present.

A Music box.

She easily recalled the song her mother had sung to her as a baby and young child. The memories hit her and she was soon cooing like a baby, crying unbidden.

As the song played she tried to work past her anger and pain, standing once again peeking only slightly over the crates to see the man holding her treasured item and searching for a voice that could muster through her hiccups and sniffles.

After a deep intake of stuffy air she said in a shaky but demanding tone, “Unhand my music box.” And stared at the oddly well clothed rogue.

The man was caught off guard and quickly brought up the dagger he still held from prying the crate’s top off in defense, but soon realized that the tiny person peeking from behind an unopened crate was no threat. He lowered his weapon once again and craned his head forward to get a better look at the small girl.

She was definitely a child, not yet reaching her adolescence. A white dress with a blue ribbon weaving through the cloth around her neckline, along with the simple curls that were loosing their structure helped him discern that much. But he did not have a good view of the miniature person now giving him orders.

She could see his face and most of his upper torso. He towered over her and she immediately noted that this pirate in no way resembled the one that had discovered her refuge. He was well kempt and clean shaven. His clothing was pristine in comparison, although she noted a bit of blood on his right sleeve. He easily had reached his thirtieth year, and she considered that he may have passed on into his 40th. She watched him watching her and gathered a little more strength when he neither replied nor replaced her cherished item into its crate.

“Did you not hear me?” She asked with more force, taking a few tentative steps away from the corner attempting to coax her way out of it. “I will ask you to unhand that music box immediately.” She repeated herself with more confidence.

She obviously had no idea to whom she was speaking, he quickly realized. Possibly his unconventional wear was the cause, but he had to give the little thing credit for standing up at all. Most grown men would have stayed put until they thought they could escape. He’d heard begging and pleading for a life, cries for loved ones and deals to let others be slaughtered only to save ones own life. He’d traveled to islands none other had seen, and destroyed ones he wanted for himself. In all that he’d not once come upon a child crying over a music box. Nor one willing to stand up to him in such a manner.

He tipped his head up in a quick movement before asking. “Who are you?”

Elizabeth crossed her arms. “Why should I tell you?”

Taken aback, the pirate smiled, almost an amused smile. She could see no malice in his eyes. “I’ll make a trade with you young Miss. My name for yours.”

She considered the offer for only a moment before looking him dead in the eyes. “You go first.”

He couldn’t help the chuckle and nodded. “Agreed. My name is Ripper, but most here call me Captain.”

Elizabeth considered this a moment. She had heard of him, stories mostly from the men who worked for her father. He was well known and well feared for rarely if ever leaving any survivors. And those he left were men who had been lucky to escape before found. “I should have remained hidden.” She noted to herself. Her next thought was simple. “If I have heard of him, surely he will have heard of father.” She was unsure if this would be a good thing or a bad thing, but in no way did she want to find out. She decided to do just as he had with his introduction.

She came around to face him, no longer hidden and gave the man, Ripper, a curtsey as she was taught before stating simply. “My name is Elizabeth, but most who know me address me as Buffy.”

~~`~~

10 years later

William lay in his bed, waiting for the tell tale signs that the house was at rest for the night. His duties were done for the day, but he could still hear some of the other servants moving about on the lower levels so he listened on. Little time passed before he heard the door down the hall from his open and close. Then the shuffling of feet and another door close.

That was the last of the servants going to bed, and his signal to prepare. He quickly got off his bedding platform and gathered up his few belongings before placing them in the bag he intended to use. He had but an hour to wait until his escape would be secure. It was daring, he knew, but he could no longer serve the man he was endowed to. The cruelty aimed towards him was long ago too much, but he was not a stupid man. He’d needed time to prepare and gather what he could to acquire transport from his home. A port owned by one man, and run by another. He knew nothing of the owner, but of the man who ran it, he knew more than he’d ever wished to.

It had taken him nearly 5 years to save the money needed, most of it not made by honest means, but he was soon to leave the place he’d thought would be escape but only turned out to be the worse of his choices.

As the orphaned boy of two paupers, he had no prospects and no home. Found scavenging for anything edible, a man who’d seen him offered him work and residence. He’d gladly accepted but after the first week William found out that he’d only worsened his life. The frequent beatings and the workload were cruel. His body was lean from the work, and his mind was closed from the abuse. Emotion was something he’d given up along with any future he could stand to see ahead of him. All he had now was this one chance. If the master of the residence saw him leave, it would be the noose for him.

After his things were stowed inside the bag, he sat back on the bed and waited again. He studied the moon outside his one lone window hoping it would give him an idea as to how much time passed, then heard the door across from his creak open then shut with very little sound. Then came a creaking in the floor that Drusilla always seemed to hit.

“And she’s off like clockwork.” He said quietly to himself, then began his count.

All who worked in the house knew of the quiet affair being had between the master and the chamber maid. Such things were not uncommon. Inwardly William wondered if that was why many of the aristocratic couples kept separate sleeping quarters. Not all of course, but a great number.

“68, one thousand. 69, one thousand. 70, one thousand.” He mumbled to himself until he reached one hundred. Then he opened his door slowly and stepped out into the hall. There was complete silence on all sides and so he went, easily missing the floorboard the chamber maid seemed to intentionally hit and made his way out of the house and off the yards towards the pier.

~~`~~

Xander came down the plank of The Watcher with practiced ease. Oz on the other hand was still a little wobbly coming down the incline and nearly fell off the side when the more experienced man stepped from it to the well formed pier they were landed at for now.

The closely clipped auburn haired man was quite a bit shorter than the companion leading the way. His eyes were stoic on most occasions, but he had a humor that gave him a personality unmatched by most. You just had to look for it. The companion, Xander, waited for Oz to catch up and they headed into the town looking for the nearest pub. They were searching for two things, relaxation, and some new bodies to help man The Watcher.

Xander himself had only been onboard for two years. Oz was even more green. He’d only earned 3 months of service among the crew but had already made a name for himself. When the captain had first picked the broad brunette to look for anyone willing to serve, he was surprised. The explanation was given to him though. He could see people. This was a needed talent, and one Xander had proved himself with several times since. He was the one that discovered Oz quite by accident, but Xander had recognized the look in his eyes, one that said that he was in need of escape, adventure, freedom.

Now the two young men passed the sleeping shops and residences towards the seedier part of town. There next to the blacksmith’s was the one and only pub that would accept them. Even dressed in clean clothing and newly washed they both looked the part of who they were.

“How many did the captain want?” Oz asked the taller man beside him as they entered the loud boisterous crowd inside.

“No more than three. At least one though.” Xander answered and pointed to some empty spaces at one of the tables off in the corner.

Oz nodded and followed and both settled in ordering a pint and keeping their eyes on the people celebrating for whatever reason they could conjure.

~~`~~

Buffy smoothed out her skirts carefully and made sure her hair was neatly pulled up while standing before the door to a home she knew rather well now. A few loose tendrils hung down to frame her face and her parasol hung closed by her bent elbow. She lifted her gloved hand and lightly rapped on the door while keeping an eye out for trouble in the night around her.

“Who is it?” She heard the familiar voice ask.

“Why should I tell you?” She answered with a smile.

The door swung open and there stood Rupert Giles. He grinned from ear to ear at her. “Buffy. Oh how good to see you. Please,” He said and stepped aside. “Come in.”

She did so, and he gently shut the door behind her before embracing her. “I had thought something happened to you. You should have been here nearly a month ago. And I hear the military has been quite brutal as of late.”

She stepped back when he finally loosened his hold on her. “I am sorry to have worried you. We had to stay a bit longer than expected, and than hit a storm after breaking dock, quite troublesome, but no need for worry. You taught me well.”

“So it seems.” He nodded and offered her a seat at the table. “I could make tea.” He offered.

“Unfortunately I can’t stay too long.” She said with evident sadness. “We’ve heard about a shipment leaving London soon. If we’re going to intrude on their little trip, we have to leave by morning.”

Rupert nodded knowingly. “And the crew, how are they coming?”

“You were right about Xander when we first started letting the others of the crew go. He’s put quite a well rounded bunch together. All with their own, let’s call them… talents?”

“Yes I saw good things would come from that lad the day I spotted him outside that carpenter’s shop. I’m pleased he is working out.” He sighed to himself. “And it was time. My crew was ready for retirement.”

She agreed with another nod. “Two more good men and I think we will be well set. One if he’s able to carry the load from the start.”

He nodded with approval.

She shifted her feet before asking him. “Have you found what I need to prove my place?”

“Oh, yes of course.” He said, suddenly remembering something andturned away from her. He strode to a set of drawers against the wall, and quickly retrieved some papers from the top drawer. “I’m afraid It’s not enough yet, but I do believe I have been able to gather nearly everything I can.” He handed her the pages. “IT seems I will need to inquire about your grandfather.”

Buffy looked up at that statement. “Papa? Whatever for?”

“I’m afraid I can not say, but I believe with the contacts I’ve made I am on the right path.” He watched her as she nodded, her good mood now replaced with the grim determination that had been her constant companion for the last several years.

The chimes in the gold encrusted glass clock ticked off the hour of midnight and Buffy again saddened. “I’m afraid it’s time for me to go.” She handed him the precious bits of parchment.

“So soon my dear?”

“Like I said, we have to be ready before dawn.” Buffy simply stated as she stood.

Giles walked her the few steps to the door before turning. “Do promise you will continue these visits.”

“Of course.” She studied the solemn look in his eyes. They never lied to her. “You still think I‘m mad about it all, don’t you?”

He knew she was still upset. There was a short list of grievances he’d made in his mind. Wrongs he’d made. Most involved the young woman in front of him. He decided which ones to refer to, taking off the spectacles he was now doomed to wear for the rest of his life and sighed. “I’m not as old as many, but I have had enough years to have tallied up many regrets. I should have taken you home. At the very least to a family member.”

“You are my family. The Watcher was my home. I don’t regret it. If you’d taken me home, he would have just shipped me off again. If you’d taken me to my aunt’s, I wouldn’t even want to guess what kind of life I’d have. Hank didn’t even care for his sister. He thought she was poor and uneducated. From what I remember, she was difficult sometimes, held standards of ladies to be precise. I would have never seen anything, gone anywhere, and would now most likely have a husband and several children rather I wanted them or not.” She stopped and gave him a familiar stare. “I don‘t want that yet, maybe I never will. I live on a ship full of men and they are family. I don‘t have to marry some crabby snobbish bore so I can survive. I survive just fine.”

Giles was quite proud of the strong woman before him. He was also concerned that she was ignoring an important part of her life. “And of your father?”

She shrugged. “My father thinks I’m dead. He didn‘t want me around, and only kept from sending me off earlier because my mother couldn’t stand the idea. When she died, anything that was ever good about my father died with her, and there wasn’t much to start with.”

“Still-“ Giles started.

“No more about this, ok? You‘ve always trusted me, why won’t you believe me when I say I am better for it? Better for having become your child?”

She tried to make him understand and a smile came to her face when she remembered a speech he had given her, and to all the men on board. “The labor of love these days. In business there is always bloodshed. Some hide from it in their large houses and grand estates. I have seen it first hand, and can ward it off. If a life can be spared, it is. If it cannot, well, this is how it works, rather a pirate or military, even the simple citizens. We do what we must to survive.” She smiled before turning away from him and opening the door herself.

She still grinned when she added something just for the old pirate now living the simple life. “And if we are lucky we retire in peace, with someone out there looking forward to the next visit.”

She stepped outside and gave the old man a quick wink. “Goodbye Ripper.” And she headed down the street lit by torches along the walls of several of the brick homes.

“Till next time, Slayer.” He said to himself before closing the door.
End Notes:
Please, if I've now spelled Slayer w/o the S or some other nonsense let me know. Other than that this should be all good.
CH 2 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
As you can see.. I'm more than hinting at some more of The Watcher's crew. I love to play with the lesser used characters and throw in alot of the regulars. And Scabs I just kinda made up.
Xander took the last gulp of the second pint he’d been nursing that evening. He set the mug back down on the round wood table he and Oz had taken near the back of the dimly lit pub upon entering. Over the course of the last 2 hours neither man had made it past drink two, or contestant number one.

The ‘contestants’ as Xander had begun to call them lately, were the able bodies the two men were deemed to find. Unfortunately the pickings in this short stop that was also being used to supply them for the voyage ahead had meager pickings to say the least.

They’d watched as scrappy men, oversized men, aged men and filthy men trailed in and out of the lone drinking establishment. Some of them very much looked like they could handle the jobs, and several were easily more experienced sailors than either of the young men were themselves. The mix of men was extreme, but there was more than ability needed to sail on The Watcher. There was a certain amount of open mindedness necessary to even make it as a crew member, and usually the well trained older sailors couldn’t adjust.

No, what they needed was the kind of person you find sitting outside a carpenter’s shop after a truly bad day of work as the apprentice. One who was sick of their life, and looking for a radical change in it’s mediocrity. Someone who was a good man, but who had an idea of conforming to society that involved shaving once a month, or wear shoes when on land. It was nothing that was drastic, but a personal preference to at least acknowledge the outside world, yet not really take part.

“What about this one?” The red head lifted his drink and used it to direct Xander’s attention towards the door as he spoke.

The young pirate scanned the boy who walked through. His clothing was in tatters and he made his way directly to the bar holding all of the liquor in the place. Desperate for anything to take in that would fuzzy his mind.

”Or, I could be wrong and possibly he’s not the man.” Oz answered his own question flatly then set his drink back down and turned to Xander. “I’m beginning to think that our chances are slim of finding anyone worth offering up to the captain.”

“Eye.” The brunette looked over the crowd of men and the few women among them serving drinks. They’d found one of the crew members at a place much like this, the next to be brought on board after him in fact. She had been a barmaid in a hovel of a pub that looked as though it would fall at any moment. But the women here just didn’t seem to want anything but what they had. All quite content in their place so he’d dismissed them.

“What do you say, one more round then we head back with our tails between our legs?” The larger of the two men half joked.

Oz quirked an eyebrow, an extreme movement for the young man, and called over one of the women to order up more drinks. Moments later they were sipping on newly refilled mugs once again eyeing each person as they came and left.

Once his drink was half down his gullet, Xander mulled over his next problem. “So, what are we gonna say?”

“Say?”

“Yeah, how’re we going to explain why we haven’t got anyone to even consider?” Xander clarified.

Oz took another swallow. “Just be honest about it. It’s a new and unusual idea, I know. But there isn’t one person here worth the trouble.”

“Blind logic. I like it.”

Just then the doors swung open and another stranger walked in. He looked to have a few years on the two of them, but only a few. He carried a fair sized cloth bag over his shoulder and seemed to be scanning the people he was among, looking for something in particular.

The two young men took simultaneous sips while checking over the brunette who’d come in, apparently with a purpose.

~~`~~

William stood still trying to find the person holding information he needed to leave this place. Upon eyeing the blonde across the room he began to cross to the girl who was busy flirting unabashed with the table of drunkards all lavishing the young woman with compliments and a spare coin here and there.

William stood to the side, pushing his unruly light brown hair out of his eyes and waited for Harmony to finish with her table. When he saw her stepping away from one of the more ‘hands on’ men he made his presence known by stepping up to the woman’s side. “Harm, a word please?”

The woman who looked a little more like a frightened bird in a roomful of hungry cats, took a deep breath before giving him a thankful smile and following him back to a cleared table weaving in and out of the other patrons. He sat ready for service and she stood aside as though taking his order. “Thanks Will.”

He waved it off. “Not at all. Some of these fellows need to learn some manners.”

“True, still, well.” She stuttered, trying to thank him in earnest.

“Look,” He said and sat up in his chair, leaning forward. “We can call it even if you can help me out of this rat hole.”

She nodded quickly. “Right, well. Captain Chilling is looking, so is Captain Fevers. Also, there’s these two guys in the back corner.. to my left, that have been eyeing any and all people coming in tonight. I heard they might be from The Watcher, but the ship isn’t marked so, no way of knowing for sure.” She finished with a shrug.

“The Watcher?” William asked in a hushed voice, but he was still loud enough for the girl to hear him. “Isn’t that Ripper’s?”

“Mmm, no. Not anymore. I heard he got beaten by the first mate, or some such thing. The Slayer’s the captain now.” She looked over her shoulder and saw another table full of men was waving her down. “I have to go Will. Look, if I were you, I’d go for Captain Chilling. I’ve heard he’s fair at least.”

“Right, right. Thanks Harm.” He tossed some coins towards her. They landed with muffled clinks onto the table while he stood back up before heading towards the back of the pub. He spotted them without hardly a glance. One quality alone set them apart. They were silently studying him.

They all three froze at the realization of being caught.

After a beat, Xander waved William over. “Well you might as well sit, seems you have something to say.”

William did as he was asked, pulling out a heavy chair then relaxing as much as he could while he sat, laying the bag holding his belongings on the floor close by.

The men he faced were younger, and he could easily take the little one. The other might take some effort, but he was a good fighter. At the very least he’d have a chance of escape if this went badly. He knew of Ripper, and imagined the kind of men who worked around him and for him. Killers all, he was sure.

Then this new one, The Slayer had taken the ship from him. He himself had to be ruthless, and his men, they would have to be equally vicious. A fella could get lost in that. Completely and forever. That was exactly what he had in mind.

Oz gave the new member of the table a quick once over, then glanced back at Xander before taking another drink.

It was unnoticed by William because any and all movement from Oz was subtle, but Xander had seen it. Simply the look had said, ‘This one might do.’

Xander saw the look in the newcomer’s eyes too. This guy wanted out. “So, what’s the name?” He asked and waved Harmony over and ordered the man a drink.

“William.” He answered and watched as Harmony fetched his mug.

Xander saw where his gaze headed. “William, she’s a pretty one.” Xander stated.

William looked back to the men who’d offered a seat. “Harms a good girl, not got all the lamps lit upstairs, but she tries.”

Inwardly Xander smiled. He spoke of her like a friend, and with some amount of respect. “So, I take it you came here for more than the fine view?” He smiled at the maid when she handed the mug to Will, then paid up for the evening.

The man searching for a way off the isle took a long drink of the freshly poured drink before answering. “You take it correctly. ‘M hoping to find work, or at least passage out, tonight.”

“Tonight?” Oz asked with what passed as curiosity for him. “You running from something?”

Not really seeing the harm, he decided to come out with the truth. “Yeah as a matter of fact. I’m tendering my resignation to the master of the house I work for. Only he’s not really aware that I’m leaving.”

Xander chuckled, he just couldn’t help it. “Been there myself actually.”

The former house servant raised his drink to Xander. “You know when it’s time to go. Move on or get sucked in to it all. The quiet acceptance. Can‘t do it.”

Xander had another gulp in agreement before going on. “You want to pay for passage, or work for it?”

“I’m not blessed with much in the way of money, have no problem with working it off.” William said simply.

“How do you feel about sailing?” Oz popped in, not feeling like beating around the bush when they had little time to return.

“Honestly?” Will looked from the man who’d asked, to the one he’d been conversing with. Both waited for an answer. “’Ve never been.”

“Well, I guess the real question is, do you think you’ll get sea sick? That’s not all that convenient.” Xander explained.

“Not pretty either.” Oz added.

Will considered the question a minute before giving a response. “Always had a strong stomach. Don’t see any problems.” He responded.

Oz shrugged at Xander. They would see.

The larger brunette gave William the once over. “You don’t look that big. How’s your strength?”

William chuckled to himself before answering, then made as though he was going to take another sip before halting and setting the mug back on the table. “I’ve surprised men nearly twice your size. Don’t worry about that bit. I can carry my weight.” After that he did take a quick drink, then smiled back at Xander. “And then again, I can carry quite a bit more than my weight.” He laughed outright this time and downed the rest before slamming the empty container down.

“Alright,” Oz started. “Just one more thing then. How do you feel about, not quite legal ventures?”

Will shook his head before laughing again. “I’m about to break a life long contract. An act punishable by death around here. I think I’ll find a way to make peace with God.”

Xander gave a quick nod. “Good enough for me.” He and Oz gave each other a final nod and stood up. “Hope you got everything you’ll be needing. We go now or not at all.” Xander said and waited a moment for an answer.

“Also, there is this other thing.” The red head hinted.

Xander looked down at his friend seemingly shocked at first, then as though he understood. “Oh yeah. The thing.” He drew the words out as he said them to his companion, then glanced back to the possible new crewmember.

William looked a bit frantic and confused, his eyes moving from one young man to the other. “What?”

Xander tried to sound nonchalant. “If you don’t work out and we’re at sea, for whatever reason, you get tossed off the boat.”

Will’s eyebrows scrunched together while he tried to make sense of the warning.

“Literally… off the boat.” Oz said, and mimed withed the first 2 digits of his right hand walking along the palm of his left hand, then the index and middle fingers bent and leapt off his left hand. Adjoining this simple scene was a hushed whistle, followed by a ‘splash’ sound very well mimicked by the red head.

Admittedly William’s eyes widened for a moment, but he quickly recovered. “Right then. I’m in.” He said and hefted the bag of clothing he’d had sitting beside him.

Nothing else was said. Xander lead the way with Will in the middle and Oz following close behind.

~~`~~

Buffy strode confidently and quietly up the pier. She heard the usual whispers questioning the presence of a well dressed woman on the pier, but she ignored them and made her way to the furthest end of the well constructed wooden structure her ship was tethered to this night.

She easily maneuvered her way up the plank that took her to the main deck of The Watcher. A well built and cared for ship, despite its age. From Bow to stern, the structure had 100 feet to her. At each end the deck raised, going up several steps and providing space for more rooms underneath the elevated deck’s ends. The Captain’s quarters were directly under the helm, which was her destination.

She passed by her men, now loading barrels and large trunks onto the ship, taking them below to store until the newly acquired supplies were needed. The men who’d been onboard long enough not to be shocked at their captain’s attire kept to their work. One, however couldn’t help but stop and take a second glance at the elegance the blonde held in women’s finery.

“Well, well. Here’s a side we don’t get but a peek at.” Parker noted with a gleam in his eyes. He took in the curves that the bodice of the closely fitting torso hugged and involuntarily licked his lips.

“She’s a right looking strumpet, and if she sees any hint of the look you’re now, she’ll likely slice your neck.” Larry warned as he carried the opposite end of the large wood trunk.

Parkers eyes quickly averted and landed back on the item he hefted. “I’ll just have to be more subtle then won’t I?”

Larry shook his head and looked at the young man as though he may have lost every bit of sense he’d been born with. Assuming he’d been brought into this world with any in the first place.

~~`~~

Buffy approached the entrance to her quarters, only to see Scabs waiting for her. “Are you still here?” She said with a glint in her eye before passing him and swinging the heavy wood door open, letting herself in, then leaving it so that the balding lanky middle aged man could follow her.

“Said I’d stay till you got yourself back, didn’t I?” He said with some accusation in his voice before following her and shutting the door.

Buffy quickly removed her gloves, dropping them into a trunk on the right of her room beside her desk. The space was ornate, and included an eclectic collection of her travels. The beautifully carved desk set by the window, and the huge four poster bed was pushed up to the far wall, sidled by a nightstand. On every shelf available were books, statues and several boxes with jewels she’d accumulated over the years. Her wood floors held carpets that nearly covered the entire surface. Along the walls were trunks of different design and origin, giving a small gap for the only other door in the room on the opposite side of the bed as the night table that lead to the room that had once been hers, but now was used for personal storage. She stood next to the trunk that had lain open beside her desk while she was out.

She plopped the parasol into the open space next before pulling out the chair at her desk and began working on her footwear. “That you did. And so, how are things looking?” She said before stepping into the small adjoining room for some extra privacy, but still able to hear the older man.

“Those two you sent out aren’t back yet, but all other preparations are nearly done. Which is good considering.” Scabs, now cleaner than he’d once kept himself, but by no means the poster child for hygiene, wiped his few remaining tangles of hair back, waiting.

“Considering?” He heard her ask among the shuffling of clothing as she dressed away from his view.

“The weather Elizabeth, it’s turning. Might be best if you set sail sooner than later.”

The clothing stopped shuffling for a second before it continued. “How soon can we be ready?” The woman wondered.

“Nother hour, maybe less. Just a few more things to bring on board and setting ‘er up for the trip.” Scabs went over the mental list, and confirmed his first answer. “Yeah, an hour.” He took another breath. “Red will have to keep up her little hiding trick until we’re out of sight though.”

“Not you, remember old man, you’re off my boat.” She said and followed with a little laugh.

“I know. I know.” He relented.

“But the hiding should be alright. She said 6 hours, and we’ve only been in for 3.” She paused again and another shuffling of cloth could be heard. “As far as anyone can tell, The Watcher looks like any random passenger ship docking for a layover and re-supply.” She called out again. “And by the looks of it, Parker had no problem getting what we need.”

“That boy is a fearsome thing.” Scabs said out loud.

Buffy then came out of her small extra room with the fine dress folded over one arm and walked to the trunk replacing it neatly before closing and latching the lid. She straightened up and smoothed down her sleeves on the newly adorned blouse. “Never could get away from those multi fabric constraints,” She smiled tipping her head towards the case holding her shed clothing. “But I’ll always prefer a good pair of trousers and a well fitted shirt.”

Over the years, the well mannered girl had grown accustom to dressing like the men aboard. Ripper had insisted because it hid her gender from any attackers. Now she always wore plain black trousers, cut to fit her, boots adorned her feet, and a lace up white blouse that was also cut to fit her better than the men’s loosely fitting shirts. She had never grown accustomed to all the extra fabric hanging loosely from waist to neck.

She went back to the previous conversation quickly when she noted her crewmate’s lack of interest. “Right, let’s get her set. Give the order, then Scabs,” She paused and smiled. “You have permission to disembark.”

He chuckled. “I thank you Miss. And can I say, it has been a pleasure serving with you. Even if I did scare you nearly to death when you first laid eyes on me.”

Buffy couldn’t help but giggle. “Oh, it wasn’t the look, so much as the odor.”

Again he chuckled. “Ey. Was a terrible sight though.”

“That you were, which reminds me-“ She stopped short and headed back for the small room. She looked about it. Nearly empty now but for the cot she never could bring herself to get rid of. All that remained beside her old sleeping place was a crate that had been set aside for the old man in the other room. One had been put together for each of the retiring pirates, and this was the last to go. Once Scabs left, she was on her own. Her own full crew, and her ship.

She shifted the crate and lifted it with some trouble before getting her balance. “You may need some help getting it off the ship. Has some weight to it.” She said as she reappeared from the doorway, and set the crate at the man’s feet. “Ripper set a bit aside for all of you, and this one’s yours.” She explained to the confused man.

“What is it?”

“A bit of this, a bit of that.” Buffy gave nothing away. “Mostly what you’ve earned over the last 25 years. Your share, you might say.”

“Got my share, all packed away.” He pointed over his shoulder in a lighting fast motion.

“Just trust me, it’s yours, and you’ve earned it. Take it.” Buffy implored.

His eyes darted from the crate, back to the woman. “Well, I suppose I can’t turn down the captain. Can I?”

“That you can’t.” She agreed and walked to her bed with a silken spread covering it. On top of her piled pillows was a worn vest, at least 2 sizes to big for her that buttoned up the front just at the cleavage. She pulled it on and then went for the bandana and hat with the wide brim on her night table. She used the bandana to tie her hair up so that none hung loose, then set her hat upon her head, and adjusted it so that her face was in shadow.

She took one look at herself in the looking glass set up behind the main door and smiled. “Well, I think this will have to do.”

“Ya be fine Buffy, only have to fool one or two of them tha’s comin’ aboard.” Scabs reminded her.

“True. I’ll just hide myself a bit. This outfit is beginning to loose it’s ability to hide certain things.” She noted when she could still see the distinct curve of breast under the loose black material hanging over her shoulders and around her torso.

Something twisted in the old pirate then. “Are ya sure you be up to this alone Miss?”

With some mirth she turned to him. “Are you worried about me you old goat?”

“Have to be. Told Ripper I’d watch for ya.”

Buffy relented a bit. “I know your fear, but isn’t that why we went through this whole process?” She sat on the edge of the bed and sighed to herself. “Between you and Ripper, most of these men were hand picked because they could sail under a female. There are a few that concern me, but for the most part these are good men. I have no fear of them, and neither should you.”

Scabs sucked in a deep breath and straightened up. “Alright then, just had to be sure.” Then he winked at her before lifting the heavy crate.

“Here,’ She said and stood opposite him taking part of the burden in her hands. “I’ll walk you out.” She smiled up at him and they began the short trek towards the pier after opening the door out of her chambers.

~~`~~

As they approached the few ships lining the pier, William was confused. None appeared to be anything like a pirate ship. He was even less sure when it became clear they were going to a well marked passenger transport.

He was eyeing both men who walked up and over the plank to turn and wave their new companion up.

“This can’t be right.” He said to them.

“Just come up, and you’ll understand.” Xander said, imploringly.

William looked over his shoulder, back the way he had come and knew he couldn’t turn back. With an unsure step he placed his foot on the plank and walked to the deck. The moment his feet hit the solid wood his view shifted with a stomach churning loss of equilibrium.

He felt an arm grip his shoulders. “Don’t worry, you’re just getting your sea legs.” Xander explained away the oddness simply.

Will took another look around and everything looked very different. Not that he was any true judge, but the boat appeared sturdy. It was the first adjective that came to mind. The style was older, that much he knew. But the wood was maintained well.

“This is her.” Xander said motioning at the structure surrounding them and saw that Scabs was coming through with the captain. Her back was to them, but Xander quickly recognized the attire she wore for the new people.

“But-” William took a long look around, and everything looked nothing like it had on the pier. “I thought this was a passenger ship.” Will stated, obviously confused.

Oz raised a brow at Xander. This was always an interesting moment. Once one entered the ship they were able to see it for what it was. A rather difficult glamour for the resident witch to accomplish for any length of time, but needed for direct docking in places like this, where they could be recognized.

“Things always look a little different from this vantage point.” Xander happily said with such practiced ease that it was difficult to doubt him. William wasn’t quite sure he trusted the words, but it was the most plausible explanation his ignorant mind could accept

Xander began the run through for the ship, explaining what different men were doing and going over the locations of sleeping areas and the galley. He pointed out the Captains Quarters and explained the other room on the main deck was a meeting room of sorts. Before long William was familiar with the layout, if not the people he would be serving with.

During this period, Oz had set off to his duties on board, and Xander was left with the task of finding something for the green one to occupy himself with. He’d settled for having him gather the discarded ropes while he caught up with the captain who he’d seen duck back into her room while he showed William around.

Xander knocked and waited for the invitation before going through to see Buffy. He shut the door and studied his captain, and friend. She seemed worried. “Everything alright Buffy?”

She was sitting on the edge of her bed facing the door, but not really looking in that direction. Her far off look gave no clue as to what she was seeing. Then she came back to earth, and smiled at the young man who’d grown quickly into one of her most cherished confidants. “Just a little nervous I suppose. Without Scabs, I truly am on my own.”

Xander walked up to her and then sat beside her. “Now you know that’s not true.” He started then nudged her shoulder playfully. “You’d have a hell of a time being alone with all us young strapping men around.”

She did giggle, then cocked an eyebrow as she considered something, then laughed again. “Yeah., well, so how is the new guy? He doesn’t look like much.”

“Eh,” Xander said and slumped a little. “Wasn’t much choice back there. Usually do my best work in daylight, you know that.” He joked.

Buffy stood and began to pace as she spoke to the young man. “What skills does he bring to us?”

“Quite frankly, possibly none. But he assures me he’s stronger than he looks.”

“Well move him around. See what he picks up. We’ll be needing new tethers, pair him up with Larry for that first.” She took the wide brimmed hat from her head and shook it nervously in her fist before going on with duties she wanted the others to take after they left dock.

When she was done, Xander left to oversee the work being done, letting her have a bit of time to catch up on some much needed rest.
End Notes:
Don't forget, the weather is turning. Thanks for giving the story a try and let me know what you think. This is my first fic that throws Buff and Spike into a completely different fantasy life, but my second all human fic (although.. Red still gets to play with magic)
CH 3 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
WOW! and also WOW! I m just blown away at all of the kind words shared by you guys. Everyone has been so positive, even in the critisism. I can not tell you how glad I am to see that another of my twisted brain's little ideas has been so welcomed.
I have tried to respond to each review individually but I’d like to address something IT pointed out : A ship can not just leave port on a whim.

I have never spent even one day on a boat, much less captained one so yes I am really making things up. I am sorry if the inaccuracies are too difficult to get by for anyone, but I am unsure if I want things like this beta’d because I fear how small points like that may shift things I need to happen in the story. So for now, it is what it is. All I can do for now is hope that the plot can stand on its own, and thank IT for giving me new information. I really appreciate anything a reader has to say.

That in mind, in this chapter, 2 of the crew will need to repair a hole knocked into the ship on the fly. I am absolutely positive that the way they patch it up is completely impossible, but once you read it, rather believable or not, I think it will be obvious why I did it that way.

Please do not let this detour anyone from continuing to tell me things like, Aye is not spelled Eye, cuz I can fix that and am happy to. But the major points of the story.. Well.. Yeah.. Bring on the wrongness.

Thanks again to everyone, and this will eventually bother me so much that I will end up rewording or rewriting bits but for now there is this intense need to share a story that I never thought id finish when I started it 5 yrs or so ago. *kisses to all*
They’d set sail with no complications, and The Watcher moved smoothly over the water, cutting it’s way through the waves and out to sea just as the sun crested the horizon. The captain was among the others, mixing in easily and seemingly unseen by the pirates. She knew the ship and how to accomplish each and every task in need of being done. As the mast held strong to the billowing sails, she tightened the ropes that would normally hold the heavy fabric providing the ship with momentum. The loose lines were stowed, the drinking water was seen to, and she’d even decided the deck needed a good scrubbing, picking tasks that let her watch her crew easily and unfettered.

That was the plan, to be among the regular crew while the new members, or in this case member, became acquainted with the ship. This way she could asses them without the encumbrance of being the captain, or a female. And from what she’d seen of William, she was impressed. Before the sun was fully shining on the world, he’d already set to the task of reconstituting the shorter lines of rope. A chore that was daunting and time consuming, and that Larry was quite proficient at.

The captain had once sat with the barrel-chested man and tried to learn the technique that would allow two ropes to be braided and bound, connecting them with no less strength then the either of the two had owned before the process. Often times these leads were used in emergencies when supplies ran low, but the batch that was being worked on now would be used for storms, when any one of the men aboard could be thrown overboard.

Larry chanced a glance at Buffy as she gathered the bundle that was complete and set them next to the mast for use later. She gave him a quick approving smile, and left him to teach the new recruit his craft.

When next Buffy saw him, William was being shown how to tie the tethers to the mast using complicated knots, but once again he seemed to be picking it up rather quickly. He was then shown the proper way to adjust the six heavy sails, where to gather supplies in case of a fire fight between ships, and how to set up the cannons that set lining both sides of the ships second deck behind the sleeping areas. After he was finished the noon sun was long gone and the yellow orb was approaching the end of its daily journey.

Elizabeth was about to go down to the galley to get herself a quick meal when she heard Oz’s voice ring from above. Buffy looked up to the crows nest and saw the tuft of red hair poking over and looking down as he screamed again. “Storm.” His arm outstretched pointing towards the direction they’d been sailing from.

Buffy turned and saw it. The dark clouds and rolling waves in the water behind them were getting closer.

Buffy spun back and quickly caught Xander’s eye on the helm’s deck. Before anyone knew it, Xander yelled the calls warning everyone of the storm coming right at them.

Men moved seemingly at random, but each was set to clear the deck, tie things down and close up the ship. Men climbed up the rope nets leading up the 2 masts and the sails began to collapse as other ropes were pulled and cinched.

William, who’d just been talking to one of the men about making a trade for a dagger he’d seen ran up to Xander, now lashing yet another rope to a post jutting out from the high side of the ship guarding from someone stumbling over the side. “What should I do?”

Xander contemplated the question for only a moment, until he saw Larry climbing up the net leading to the second rung holding the second of its three sails. A rope was caught and needed to be drawn in manually so the sail could be properly lowered. It seemed Larry was at it, unfortunately that left the tethers unattended. Xander studied the older man, and then yanked the light brunette over to the bundles of ropes gathered and tied to the mast as rain began to pelt down. “Make sure everyone is secure!” He yelled over the winds now picking up around them.”

William nodded and quickly set out to make sure each of the dozen or so people he saw were safely tethered to the boat. He ran from man to man, getting their attention by any means needed as the sun set and darkness fell. The lapping of the waves against the ship turned to swells nearly knocking the boat over, and the clean air suddenly smelled and even tasted dangerous. Then the atmosphere changed.

It became deadly silent for nearly 10 heartbeats when the air thickened just before the first bolt of lightning came out of no place, shattering the silence and breaking the wait as the downpour began and the wind once more whipped in all directions.

William tied a rope to himself when he saw the second bolt strike the tumbling water immediately followed by a cracking sound, now seeing that he’d been concerned with the others, and had yet to protect his own safety. Through the streams of water falling from the sky he double checked that each shadow moving between the bits of light from the lightening strikes had a line to keep them from being lost to the angry ocean.

The men were on deck now, none hanging overhead from other ropes or poles reaching for the sky, so it was easy for him to check even through the pellets of water worsening his vision. He was able to name most of the men as his eyes went from outline to outline of each person until he fell on one he vaguely recognized, but had no tether.

With no delay, he snatched the last of the ropes and ran to the person near the step leading up to the helm. “Oi, mate” He yelled.

The hat connected to a small body turned in his direction, so William quickly explained himself and began to reach for the person so he could tie the rope. “You need to have this bit for-“ He was unable to finish as another cresting wave hit the boat causing it to lurch about and both to loose their balance and tumble a ways to the opposite side of the boat.

Once Will was able to stabilize his tumbling, and the boat seemed to be more level, he found himself wrapped up in rope. He untangled himself and again sought out the other man. William found the form lying face down just a few feet away being drenched in the still falling rain and dragging the rope with him, he tried to get the other man to turn over.

William pulled the seemingly knocked out man by his shoulders, and as the young fella rolled over, his hat came loose. The rain washing down on them in torrents hid the feminine features until William grabbed the form by the waist so he could at least get the tether on.

The movement jostled Buffy’s head just enough that the kerchief was pulled off by the grain of the wood below her head. Her hair flowed underneath her with the water as the liquid swirled in puddles before draining through the holes along the bottom of the railing.

William finished the last of the knots he’d only learned that day, then tested it with a hard pull to be sure it was secure before he looked up to see if the man was conscious or not. What he found wasn’t what he expected.

With a halo of shimmering yellow moving around her face, William saw the first angel of his life. Her eyes were closed, and her face was calm, but he could have sworn that in the raging storm and pure ebony of the night, she glowed, and for a split second he was sure he’d died, but couldn’t figure out what had killed him.

Still unable to breath, and truly confused as to why there was a woman among a ship of pirates, he stared at her. It then struck him that she still wasn’t awake. Not sure what else to do he picked up the kerchief still sitting where her head had been before he’d pulled her up onto his lap to tie the rope. He tried his best to tuck her hair back up and inside like it had been. He still had the hat, and was about to place it over her face as she’d been wearing it when he saw her stir, and her eyes fluttered open.

Buffy barely saw through the fog of sleep before all reality came to her. The rain hitting her in the face helped. Soon she was blinking over and over and sitting up while trying to shield her eyes. As she sat, she realized she was sitting on something distinctively hard, and then her eyes were wide when she felt an arm around her back.

“You alright there?” She heard the voice ask and turned to see the new man on her ship. “You got knocked out there love. Might wanna take it easy; make sure you didn’t do any damage.”

Buffy’s eyes got big and round when she understood. Her cover had been completely blown, and she was now sitting on this new one’s lap, and being given advice on how to watch herself. Things were not going well. But as she saw all this, she sent out a little prayer that at least the ship hadn’t sunk.

Looking back at William, she franticly scooted off him, and snatched her hat from his grasp before shoving her head back under its protection, all the while glaring at him.

“I-I wont tell.” He offered through the squall, but she’d already taken off into the rain and past his vision.

Another crack of lightning and thunder overhead brought him out of his daze as he stared after her. He decided to set to work, testing out the ropes just in case. But his brain kept going back to the woman apparently living under the guise of a pirate. Just exactly what had he gotten himself into coming aboard this ship?

It was then he heard is name being shouted. He spun to see Xander waving him down.

William moved as quickly as he could meeting Xander at the steps leading into the belly of the lurching boat.

“We’re taking on water!” Xander yelled over the sound of the waves attacking the outer hull. “Ready to test that strength?”

Will followed Xander’s lead and removed his tether before heading into the ship. He brushed some of the dripping water from his face as he entered the protection of a roof while still trying to keep his balance as the boat jumped and rocked in the storm. He stepped off the last step and turned left with his eyes attached to the back of the man leading until the sound hit him. Water forcing its way through the gap in the wood just to the right of the beds the crew used.

His eyes were wide when he watched the water pour in, transfixed at the unusual sight.

“Over here!” He heard and the tug on his arm pulled him from the trance.

Xander was lifting a wide piece of wood that looked like it may have been a table top at one time. “We need to patch her, and fast.” He explained.

Will nodded and took up the opposite end of the wide cut wood then backed up towards the rushing water.

He passed through it, trying to keep his balance as the force of the water made him weave side to side trying not to be pushed to the ground. Holding the wood in front of the gushing liquid was no easier. Even with both men using every ounce of their strength it took several tries before wood came into contact with wood.

The men strained holding the broken table top in place. Xander turned quickly so that his hands were free and lifted a mallet with a heavy head from a pouch at his side. He then reached to the other side where another plain brown pouch hung and lifted out a large metal spike.

William watched as Xander struggled to gain enough purchase to hit the metal into the wood. Unfortunately he slid sideways and nearly lost hold altogether causing Will to strain against the wall. “Hand ‘eh ‘ere.” He grunted.

Xander turned slightly and decided to let him have a go. He leaned all his weight against the board and gave William a nod.

In a swift move Xander was unsure he’d actually seen William had the nail embedded deeply into the wood not even splintering the grain.

Xander handed over three more of the oversized nails and moved aside letting the new man have at it.

He could do nothing but stare when the patch was firmly in place. Water still leaked in around the edges, but it was a trickle in comparison. His eyes were big and he was obviously impressed. Quietly he spoke “Well done.”

~~`~~

William leaned on the railing along the edge of the ship and watched the now gentle waves as they sailed on. The night had been long for him. The storm itself was fleeting. No sooner had he checked his tethers after going back to the main deck then the sky cleared. The waves were slightly choppy for another couple of hours, but once he was settled into an empty bunk among his new roommates sleep only came with a struggle.

He’d lain listening to the snores of Parker and Larry and another man named Woods. But Will could only lie there, wondering where the woman had gone. How she slept, where she hid herself once the storm had passed. He’d looked but hadn’t seen her at all. He couldn’t ask if anyone else had. He was lost on it.

Even now, after his second full day on The Watcher, and too tired to stand without leaning on the banister, he doubted he’d sleep well. His body ached in a familiar way telling him he’d put in some hard hours, and yet he knew he’d not be able to settle his mind enough for rest.

A breeze caught him, and blew his hair in his face yet again. He was going to need to do something about that soon. The only reason he’d not had to worry last evening was that the water plastered his hair back, but on dry days, which he preferred; his hair always seemed to find his line of sight.

“Will?” He turned and saw Oz waiting for him.

“Aye.”

“The Captain wants to see you.”

“The Captain? I didn’t figure he was onboard now. Haven’t seen ‘im.”

Oz just nodded. “Come on.”

He didn’t think about it, just followed the shorter man towards the room opposite the Captain’s Quarters. Oz knocked quietly, and opened the door for William, patting him on the shoulder for good luck, then closed the door.

Will stood just at the door as he took in the area. There was a large rectangular table set long ways in the center of a good sized room with several chairs available. In one chair was Xander sitting with his hands folded neatly on the table. Along with the pirate’s hands were a pitcher and several gold goblets, some decorated with jewels. For snacking he saw a bowl with some apples and a bunch of bananas, but nothing else.

The room was simple, and except for the line of windows revealing the sky ahead of them, had little to offer. There was a door to his left, he noted, but no other remarkable features. Taking all of this into account, and the fact that Xander was the only other present, Will remained still.

Xander tried to look serious. For some reason he always had trouble with this part. Well he’d only done it twice. Before it was Scabs’ job, but now it was his. “William, I’d like to officially invite you to become a part of our little crew here, but there are some things you need to understand.” Xander started his speech, and Will looked on and waited.

~~`~~

She was giggling again. Buffy shook her head even though the red head couldn’t see it. “Willow, shh.” She said quietly.

“I’m sorry Buff, but I can’t help it. I’m afraid I have a case of the giggles.” She confessed within the confines of the storage closet. “Plus, then no more hiding away in the galley. Faith is starting to drive me batty.”

“I know. Now hush, I need to listen.”

“Right.”

~~`~~

“We struggle to keep a certain amount of anonymity here. So your trust is of utmost importance, along with a bout of loyalty that asks much of one man.” Xander started the practiced speech, then motioned to one of the empty chairs across from him. Will didn’t hesitate to take one of the seats, now feeling that he’d at least avoided the threat of being tossed off the ship.

As William sat across from the hospitable man, Xander poured a generous amount of a red liquid into one of the golden cups sporting a ring of rubies around its stem. Will took it graciously, and downed a hardy gulp. “I can guess its red wine, but I’ll have to admit ignorance past that bit.” He said taking another good drink and setting the proffered liquid down, then added. “That and its got a good taste to it.”

Xander nodded his approval. “See, I like you. You’re honest. That’s a good strong point in your favor.” He said as he stood and took tentative steps towards the door to his side. “And you didn’t go hiding away during that bout last night either. Got right into it, did as ordered, and a bit more.”

Will quirked en eyebrow at this last part. “More?”

Xander, now directly in front of the side door, but still facing the man he was interrogating, opened it just enough for a familiar figure in an oversized black hat to come out, but to hide the small closet’s other occupant.

She walked the short distance to the table and sat in the seat next to Xander’s quietly.

Poor William was soon at a loss. Perhaps he hadn’t quite avoided that tossing off the side he thought he had. He had wide eyes, unsure of exactly what the man in charge, who seemed to be Xander, expected, and looked to him to try and guess what it was he should be doing, or saying. Unfortunately the man Will saw as the one in charge gave no clue as to what he should do.

Xander watched the conflicting thoughts run over the wanna-be-pirate’s face as he took his seat once more.

He’d at first thought it was too soon to let the poor man be tested, but because he’d already seen Buffy, she’d decided the schedule had to be pushed ahead. Especially since they really didn’t have time to go looking for another member before they attacked the ship they were headed for.

When the set of blue eyes seemed fused to the brim of the large black hat hiding its occupant, Xander decided it was time to move on. “So I say again, William, Will, and it has even been suggested you be called Spike because of that trick you pulled last night patching up the ship,” Xander shook his head and looked back at the now closed closet before going on, “You did as ordered, and more. Such as, made a discovery…?”

At this, Will sputtered, something he’d only been known to do when completely frazzled. Not one of his thought could be made out at first, but he soon was able to gather all the merry little pictures in his head and form solid ideas.

One: They’d found the girl.

Two: They knew he had found the girl.

Three: She was now being held in that small room, who knew for what use?

When he’d been able to suss it all out, he came to one very clear conclusion, looked up at the man again, and sneered. “Bollix.”

The hat chuckled.

Xander looked over at the hat, gave it a reprimanding look, then glared at William. “Pardon?”

Will stood up, and nearly knocked over the chair and the drink. “You ‘eard me! Bollix, and to the whole thing. I’ll take a leap myself if you for one instant try to convince me that you didn’t know she was here the ‘ole time.”

The hat chuckled again, a little longer this time before quieting.

Xander raised a brow at the man now standing across from him. “Well, you got that one quick.” He said. “At least you aren’t an imbecile, but how’d you get that so fast?”

Will shrugged. “No way you coulda known I’d seen ‘er. Never got long enough look at me to point me out, and didn’t exactly go through introductions.” He straightened his back. “But I won’t be staying.” He said simply. “I’ll take a boat, or the nearest stretch of land we meet, and I think I’ll be taking the lady with me.”

Now this was a bit of a shock to Xander. Mostly because it was very close to the statement he’d made himself once upon a time. “Oh you will, will you? Want her for yourself then?”

Although the idea wasn’t overly displeasing, it was fleeting. “Hardly you wanker. No lady should be hid away for your personal amusement. Not you or this captain of yours.”

The black hat wiped up in an instant. “Hey now. The captain has a huge heart. The biggest I’ve seen, and no one, especially some skinny little newcomer, is going to say different.”

Once again, plain shock was on Will’s face as he looked at a pale young thing with bits of red hair escaping the confines of the kerchief.

Red kept her eyes trained on the man, who appeared to only be a few inches taller then she. He was skinny, but she was pretty sure that in a fair fight, she would be in serious trouble. That didn’t detour her look of stubbornness.

No one would say anything negative about Buffy. No matter what. And if worse came to worse, Xander would save her. Or Oz. Or Larry. Maybe not Parker, but Woods was nice and always willing to step in when needed. Not to mention the other half dozen or so people on board.

Will finally was able to get his brain to confirm that, no, this was not the woman he had seen. Which meant there were at least 2 women being held on the ship, and the poor things had no way to escape a brood of men. Especially in the middle of the ocean, locked up in a small room. He didn’t even register what Willow had said.

And then his eyes went to the side door, before he was able to ground out a few words past his gritted teeth. “Exactly how many women you keeping on this hunk of wood?”

Then the door swung open, and once again He was completely void of clear thought. At this rate his head may truly explode, and he might welcome the break.

“I think you were wrong about this one Xander.” Buffy came out with her regular black slacks and white blouse, but she lacked the vest or hat, keeping her hair tied back with a thin strap of leather.

“Oh Buff, come on.” Willow pouted a little before giggling again. “He’s gonna save us.” She said dramatically, waving her arms about.

“Not helping Wills, really.” Xander stated quietly.

Buffy stood behind her friends and eyed William while he sat there trying to figure out what the hell was going on. “Seem confused friend.” She began and quirked her head to the side. “Something on your mind?”

Will shook his head slowly, then stopped and once again looked over the three others occupying the room. “You’re the captain? Aren’t you?” He stated the question to Xander, but then looked up to the blonde standing with her hands on her hips.

She grinned back. “That I am.”

“But it was you I saw?” He asked Buffy then looked back at Willow who had managed to quell her laughter for the moment. “But in that getup.”

Buffy commented to Xander. “Oh, he’s a quick one.”

Spiked looked her over incredulously. “And what’s all this, some bleedin’ test. Mess with the new one’s minds? Have us going knackers trying to figure out what’s going on when beautiful women drop into our laps?”

Buffy frowned at the last comment before going on. “The test is simple. And so far, you have failed.”

“Buff-“ Xander was about to protest but one look from the ranting blonde shut him up.

“Weren’t you about to hide the presence of a stowaway from your own captain?” She accused Will with no warning.

He tried to defend himself. “You weren’t some stowaway. I didn’t have a chance to fi-“

“And then did you not assume you should save us. What was your plan?” She continued. “If you had been our rescuer,” She motioned to Willow. “We would have been killed before leaping over the side to, what, swim for it?”

“Could have lifted one of the little boats.” He suggested.

“Then been shot while rowing away. Much better plan.” She commented snidely.

“Look, its moot now as it is. You obviously don’t need rescuing, but your sanity I might question.” Will was getting tired of it. At this point he was back to pondering leaping into the water of his own accord once again. In fact, a good tussle with a shark seemed like the better option while being berated by the captain.

Buffy lowered her eyes to him, and nodded. “Alright then. If you wish to leave, you may. If not, you are welcome among the crew.” She said as though it was the most obvious conclusion.

“What?” Will said baffled.

Buffy straightened up. “What say you?”

“I agree.” Willow confirmed.

Xander nodded. “Ay.”

Buffy only waited for Will to answer. “Well then, Spike?” She quirked one corner of her mouth at the name she’d decided on for him.

She of course, had her own reason for approving of the unusual name. Even with the debacle that had revealed her to him, she could not have missed the sharp pressure against her bottom as she sat on his lap. Not that she had any intention of letting her crew in on that little bit of information. “Do you agree to stay, or swim?”

William just stared at her wide eyed. The sun was setting, and the room that had been brightly lit through the windows was now becoming home to several long shadows along the floor and walls. Somehow, these shadows became almost like friends to William as he sensed them surrounding him. Seemingly protecting him. He decided he liked the dark, he liked shadow.

Anonymity. Xander had said it. Here he could hide. And he even had been renamed. A strange name, to say the least. But not one that anyone would ever guess as his either. He considered the name a little, smiled at it’s meaning, and made the decision.

For a split second he hated the idea. But that moment left quickly, and when he looked away from the woman who’d met his stare and held it while he contemplated, he began a shift in his posture and overall body language.

He leaned back in the seat and stretched out one leg, then gave the captain a sideways smile before quirking his head to the side much like she had moments before. He eyed each of them. “I think I’ll stick around. At the very least, there’s a bit more excitement to be had then would be in drowning.”

“Well alright then.” Xander smiled broadly and glanced over at Willow who was smiling warmly at Spike, Xander and Buffy in turn.

Buffy, glad the bit was over, was ready to move on and inform Spike of some things. The job was the first thing up. “Welcome aboard then Will.”

“Na.” He interrupted her and gave her a lavations grin. “I think I like Spike.”

She reddened just a little and nodded. “Alright then Spike, we’re set up for a meeting of sorts. Shouldn’t take more then 4 more days before we reach the rendezvous.”

Willow picked up the description. “Yeah, but, its less a meeting and more of a..”

Xander shook his head. “It’s not like we’re hiding the fact we’re pirates. No need to be cryptic.”

“We’re gonna be robbin’ them then ‘eh?” Spike decided to step in.

“Right.” The captain agreed.
End Notes:
Alright.. bring on the pain. Also, I am planning on updating again on Thursday. Akoshta will be up by tomorrow.
CH 4 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
This chapter is pretty busy. There are alot of minor points and hints that will come up later.
“So.” Woods said halfheartedly to Devon while they ate in the lower level galley.

The long table that served as a place to eat and meet and any other gathering that the crew decided needed several seats was the only furniture in the long room. Lantern hooks held the only light in the dim of late evening along the walls. The very back of the room led to a small kitchen that the food was prepared in daily.

Devon sat his bread down on the tin used for eating upon and looked across the table at the exotically hued man. “So what?”

“How do you think the new guy’s taking the news?”

“Which part? The Captain or the voodoo Red’s going to pull once we get to The Premier?” Devon asked and picked his bread back up, swiped at the mixture of vegetables and beef and took another hardy bite.

Woods sickened at the site of the boy so lacking in manners before using a spoon to bring a good sized serving to his lips and once he swallowed, answered. “Either of them, my guess is that he’ll have more trouble with Willow’s… gift.” He grinned wide and shook his head. “Wish I could see it myself.”

~~`~~

They were daft. It was the only explanation.

Previously, he’d thought they were at the very least imaginative. Possibly paranoid, but in the line of work they were, one had to be careful about who one let into the little group. Now there was no question in Will’s mind. The three pirates were knackers. Completely devoid of the sanity even the most senile of old men had.

The red head, Willow, just by looking at her you’d think she was perfectly normal. Quiet, probably even smart. But loony as a bird was more on the mark. She actually thought she could do it!

He shook his head at the thought internally and let himself next study Xander. Such a friendly fellow. Open. It seemed like he wore his heart on his sleeve at times, but not one to be trifled with if he was in a bad mood. This was what William had decided from the short acquaintance that he could have easily seen grow into a friendship of sorts after a time.

Bloody shame it was.

His gaze then went up to the still standing captain. She was beautiful, strong willed though. Small as she was, he had a feeling the woman could hold her end in a battle, and if anything else she was stubborn enough to fight to the death. It was the glint in her eyes, like she knew she was right before you even got to hear her opinion. The problem was, he didn’t believe a damn thing she said.

Such a waste, he thought once more.

“I think you broke him Cap.” Xander finally said, tired of waiting for the blank faced man across from him to speak.

“Oh!” Willow exclaimed, suddenly excited. “Does this mean we slap him?” She asked and watched for any sign of life to the striking man she’d just met moments ago. “Not that I’m into violence.” She shook her head vehemently and quieted.

“No Wills, no slapping.” Buffy crossed her arms. “So are you going to say anything?” She directed the rather stern query to Spike.

He shook his head, and his face finally made movement. Unfortunately it was the movement of his brow pulling together in just plain incredulousness. “You are all off your nut.”

“Maybe we shoulda waited a few more days.” Willow offered with a frown and turned her head towards the captain behind her. “It might have made more sense then.”

They didn’t act insane. Maybe he just misunderstood what the deal was. He could have just misheard or, possibly he blanked out when he saw the captain pushing her hair back. Truly, a tasty bit of neck was revealed. That was it. He’d been distracted and completely misinterpreted the plan.

Of course that brought up a whole different issue, one he wasn’t about to bring up for the moment. It seemed so ridiculous. And pirates simply fired, trashed and stole. The entire idea had to be an extension of his little test.

I mean, what man wants to have to go around in women’s clothing?

“So Red here provides the costumes, and then we attack?” He asked, with still quite a bit of confusion plain within his features.

The three exchanged glances, and in turn shrugged.

“That’s,” Xander paused a moment. “Yeah that’s the basics put, well, basically.”

“Oh.” William said flatly, his face still twisted while he thought it over. The whole thing just seemed... well, too childish to work. Not to mention the fact it was completely impossible.

But he was here, and he really had no desire to make a swim for it, despite his bravado towards the captain and his halfhearted plan at a rescue. He ran his fingers through his disobedient locks and sighed. “Well, I’ll stand with you, but I have a funny feeling I’ll be bleeding next to you before it’s over.” He said with some foreboding.

~~`~~

Another of the crew took a seat next to Woods, and threw a look of mischievousness towards Parker, then to the man seated beside her.

Faith, a name not taken lightly. It was what she had in herself, but few others. Like most on board, she was found, saved. And like all aboard, she was loyal to her crew and her captain.

The once whore turned pirate had been spotted by the captain herself. What Buffy was doing in a house of the ill repute, no one had dared ask. Secretly some of the men figured it answered the question as to why she never seemed to have a male relationship, although all knew of her one courtship. Even Faith was unaware of the reasons for the unusual visit to a brothel, not that she hadn’t been asked more than once by her crew mates.

All she knew was that the man, the beast who’d paid his shillings for her company wanted more then she offered. And no matter what, there was no way she was going to let the smelly animal pound ON her while he pounded INTO her. Some amount of violence she tolerated, was used to even, but the throng of punches was more then she would ever lower herself to accept.

Unfortunately, from her very precarious and intimate position her options were few. The tiny room curtained off for her business offered little in the ways of protection. There was the used mattress, the cord her clothing hung from a good 4 feet above her head, the small basin she used for water to wash after the sessions, a loose blanket on the floor and the well worn dirt floor itself.

Her mind had run quickly while she tried to avoid the solid blows to her temple, chin, nose or whatever body part his knuckles could batter. He didn’t seem to have any particular destination with his fists, as long as there was contact. All the while he grunted, pumping away between her legs.

She gave up trying to push him off… and concentrated on the basin of brown water only a few feet from her head on the floor. Between one hit and the next she was able to grab the ochre red bowl. When the next hit came she was jolted, but able to tip the basin and the water dumped to the dirt floor as she raised her arm getting a better grip. He pulled back one more time ready for another hit, and she felt the familiar twinges of his member as it jerked inside of her.

He reached his climax. And so came his descent.

With the distraction provided by her tormentor she brought the only weapon she had down hard on the back of his skull. She watched his face when the shards from the large bowl fell down around and beside her.

At first she noted confusion over the gray haired man’s face, then shock, then his eyes rolled up and his lids fell closed and he dropped down on her with all his weight.

She was scared, and trapped beneath his body. The weight pressed down hard making it nearly impossible for her to suck in breath.

It took some effort but she rolled the rather large man off her and gathered the rumpled sheet around her, suddenly very self conscious. She stood up and watched the bare man not moving, sprawled out on her mattress and then nudged him with her exposed toe.

He didn’t react.

“Hell, this isn’t good.” She leaned down and shook him by his shoulders. He didn’t have a response, so she smacked him across the face. Then quickly shot up to her feet with deep trepidation on her face, and realized the sound of the smack could have been heard by anyone. The same anyone who sat idly by while she was beaten, but would be quit displeased with an unconscious customer.

It was then she became acutely aware of all the noise around her. Noise she had heard for years. Sighs and grunts among boisterous music made to get the gentlemen in the mood. Healthy full figured women danced with pink cheeked men overdressed for the occasion, and with hefty purses in dire need of lightning in the central room.

The plucking of taught chords over a wooden string instrument accompanied by the forced wind of a harpsichord reminded the young woman that the noise she made with her palm against the motionless man’s cheek would be lost among the pollution it encumbered.

This, however, did not lessen her most immediate, and apparently ‘knocked out’ predicament.

“Come on.” She pleaded with the prone man. “Wake up.” She tried to rouse him, lightly smacked his cheeks, even promised a month worth of service if he’d just wake up before the boss came by. He apparently didn’t feel the desire, so Faith sat back on her heals... sheet still barely covering her form and she suddenly had a new fear.

With a tentative hand, and eyes focused on the closed lids of her latest John, she slid her hand through the air and held it still in front of his mouth and nose, then waited.

She tried to will her hand to feel. Her eyes darted from her own fingers to his chest, then back. Days seemed to pass in the span of moments but she held still.. praying to a god who’d given up on her before she had discovered the identity as the deity she was supposed to revere.

She yanked her hand back when she heard a sound.

Footsteps.

“Oh no.” Her eyes widened and she looked at the worn curtain, then back at the body.

That’s when she saw it. Blood. It was soaking into her old bed, not quite pooling, but the red and outlining brown was spreading over the fabric before being pulled in by the stuffing within that could hold the now lifeless liquid.

The footsteps were slowing now, but still headed her way.

She decided that before she panicked further, she should at least find out who was outside. That was when she saw the woman, dressed too fine to be inside the walls of such a place. Her elegant flowing gown should never have been exposed to the used sex of the building.

The woman turned her head and spotted the bruised brunette spying on her. But instead of a look of disgust, the look Faith was used to seeing from woman like the blonde, she saw a strange look of understanding.

Buffy had just seemed to stand there for no reason. Faith noticed that the strange female was putting on her small white gloves in preparation for departure. After each slim finger was well set inside the cloth, Buffy walked slowly towards the brunette, and quirked her head to the side as she took in the worn rags barely covering the skinny girl nearly her own age. “You look a little lost.”

Faith was a completely dumbstruck. “Forgive me Miss.” She averted her eyes. “I do not mean to overstep.” Faith let the curtain fall and turned, only to be reminded of her problem when she saw the motionless man. Her shoulders slumped further while the panic set in full force.

She felt the curtain pull away behind her and the woman from outside was standing beside her in the cramped area. “Ahh. I see you are lost. Have a bit of a problem here don’t you dear?” Some of the properness of her speech fell away.

“You might say that.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow. “Isn’t that the..?”

“Admiral Thompson?” Faith asked and quickly followed with. “It was.”

Buffy couldn’t help but chuckle. She’d had a run ins with him alongside Ripper. He was a real pain and more than once he’d nearly figured out what the crew of The Watcher was up to. He’d somehow found a way to predict several of their moves. It was obvious how once Buffy realized the reasoning behind Giles’s chosen plunders. So they soon changed strategy. Lately they’d been clear of the Admiral, but his presence here seemed too coincidental considering her own business.

Buffy had only thought about it for a few moments before turning to the disheveled woman beside her. “So, need a place to go?”

Faith hadn’t thought twice, just grabbed what little she owned, which was the clothing and the loose blanket, quickly dressed and followed Buffy out without nary a glance.

The woman now seated among men, and beside her sometimes lover had no problem working and living among them. These men treated her well and fairly. When hits came, she easily hit back. Not that it happened much, but there were always exceptions.

One of those exceptions was now munching at his soaked bread like a pig. Parker, she still wasn’t sure what any of the others saw in the man. He seemed to be hiding more then he let on, and always had some way to put out half hearted innuendoes about the few females on board. They seemed to slip past the others ears with little notice, but she’d heard it all and often found herself wanting to find a good way to keep the egotistical idiot silent for all of time.

“So, how long do you think he’ll last?” Parker asked between mouthfuls.

Faith looked over to Woods. “I’m not sure. He’s handled things pretty well so far.” She said with no real attitude one way or the other.

“Hard to tell.” Woods agreed. “He doesn’t look like much, but I haven’t seen him have any problems yet.”

~~`~~

“You do understand, right?” Willow questioned with a crinkle on her forehead. Something about him made her think, maybe he didn’t believe them

“Sure, a bait and switch. With some violence thrown in for spice.” Spike thought he was quite clever and gave the red head a smug grin. He gave no indication of his true thoughts. He still waited for the end of the joke.

She sighed and looked once again to the blonde woman standing behind her. “Buffy, I think he’s missing the big picture. Or at least the one that will have him pale and frozen if he doesn’t get a preview.” Willow tried to explain.

Buffy understood what was being pointed out, and gave Willow one quick nod. “Nothing too fancy. I don’t want you wearing yourself out.”

The red head smiled and turned back to the Spike. “Ok William, I want to show you something, but you have to know it’s nothing painful, and you are safe here.”

“For the moment.” Buffy added, then smiled when Xander chuckled.

“Hush.” Came the red head’s stern voice at their giggles. She may be a flighty at times, but when it came to her talent, Willow was all business. “Now, Will, I want you to close your eyes for a minute, and try to picture someone you dislike. A man if possible.”

Will raised a brow, not saying a word but speaking volumes with the look. He was curious as to what the girl was up to, but a bit fearful at the same time. He took a hollow breath, and closed his eyes, trusting the girl for the moment..

The vision of his master came without provocation. A male, he disliked, easy choice.

“Now,” Willow continued softly. “Do you have the person in your mind? Can you see him?”

Spike pointed to his head, eyes still clamped shut. “Got 'em right here, pet.”

Willow mumbled under her breath and concentrated on Will’s closed lids. Only seconds passed before she commanded him to open his eyes.

Spike did as he was asked, and looked first at the familiar red head, and then over to Xander. But Xander was no longer himself. “Bloody ‘ell!”

He leapt up out of his seat and scooted backwards until his back was against the door. He stared at the glowering oversized brunette looking at him with a perplexed mask. William quivered, realizing that the rope around his neck would be coming soon.

He tried to push himself into the wall at his back, but the wood would not suck him inside no matter how he prayed it would. “H-how?” He asked the red head who still sat in her chair, but now was more relaxed as the spell did it’s job.

Then a very strange thing happened. His master spoke, but with another voice. “Willow here is a witch.”

“Xander!” Willow reprimanded the brunette. “Don’t say witch, people can get really scared.”

Spike was studying the face and build of the familiar man seated in Xander’s place and wearing his clothes. He looked back at Willow. “That’s Xander?”

“Oh yeah. Just a little trick Red here can do.” Buffy pointed out, still observing.

Spike let out a breath he’d been quite unaware he’d held. A loud sigh that the whole room could hear. “That’s freakish.”

He stared at the man in the seat, and remembered his first moment onboard, so recent he could recall how things had looked oddly and changed in an instant. “When I came on board,” He looked back at his master, also known as Xander, “That’s why nothing looked right when I came on board. Yeah?”

His master’s head nodded.

Buffy had been afraid of this. If he couldn’t handle the possible magical interludes that were bound to occur aboard The Watcher, he may have to take a little swim after all. She hated to do it, but would if need be. Instead of giving up on him though, she thought she’d try for tact. “Believe me, I thought I was going out of my mind the first time I saw her floating one of the cooking pots from the stove to the serving tables, but once you get used to it-“

Spike stared at the blonde captain for the first part of her coaxing, trying to hide any shock. He backpedaled his mind, grasping at anything to cover for his shock, then he smiled wide. “Oh the magic I can handle, love. But that face there,” He pointed at the vision of his master. “Bloody fearsome.”

Buffy blinked once, mostly because the new fella had stopped her from finishing her little speech, but secondly because she’d misunderstood what he’d been reacting to. She quirked one side of her mouth in a half smile. “Ok Wills. We’re good.”

William still couldn’t quite hear the words she spoke, but two short syllables from Red and Xander was once again Xander in a blink. “Good to see ya again, mate.”

“I somehow always become the guinea pig.” The first mate shook his head.

“Aww… Poor Xan. We feel your pain.” Buffy cooed jokingly.

Xander pretended to be offended and hurt then mumbled, “No you don’t.”

Willow began her giggles again, but just a short round because her friends were entertaining at the moment.

Spike just sat back. These three were close. Probably the best of mates when it came down to it. He couldn’t remember having friends like that in his life, but it looked like it was a nice thing to have.

Companions.

Yeah, this really might have been a good choice, just as long as no more surprises popped up. He really could do without that.

~~`~~

“Another raid?” Hank Summers looked over the papers. He scanned the written reports and accounts of the shipment of fabrics and glass wears that were to have arrived four days prior. Instead, the crew was found in strange attire and somehow intricately tied to particular parts of the boat. Of course the ropes were cut in short measure, and the men had been left with just enough supplies to arrive back to their original destination, but for the life of them, they couldn’t remember exactly what had happened.

“25 grown men, two ships, and not one of these,” Hank tossed the handful of papers down on his desk and slammed his palms on the desk. “Five of these fools said the captain was me for good God’s sake!!”

The thin man held his place, and his tongue. Wesley had long ago learned to do so when it came to his employer. His family had acted as advisors to Johnston’s for generations. Once old Mr. Johnston passed on, the Price family had been reduced to nothing more than gofers by Mr. Summers.

He was but the messenger in this case. His duty had been to deliver the collection of papers and recordings of the latest ships that had landed. He however also was quite aware that Hank Summers was a man of many words, and many actions. He was not a man of violence, but his hold on the trading system of the seas was respected and followed. One wrong word, and anyone involved in the business could find themselves lacking employment or clients.

“The men could only account for what they saw. Not one of them believes it was you sir. This I do know.”

“Well of course they know it isn’t me.” Hank said as though his man was the most idiotic specimen bestowed upon the planet. “What a ridiculous notion.” He stated to reaffirm his statement.

“Indeed.” Wesley agreed.

Hank sighed. Still seated, and if one had not witnessed the outburst on display moments before, one would think he was quite calm.

One would be sorely mistaken.

“This is, what Wes? The fifth happening just this year? Memories unclear, men left to live, ship ransacked and left to drift.” Hank watched the smaller man nod silently. Agreement was expected. “And we have had so many descriptions of so many different people,” He looked once at the sheets of paper laden with handwriting in neat lines explaining what each crew member could recall of the incident, “Accused of the crimes.” Hank finished.

“That would be correct, sir.” Wesley nodded again as he spoke. Mr. Summers always liked a nod to back up a statement made. It showed confidence in ones thoughts.

Hank pushed his seat back and stood. He wasn’t an overly tall man. Taller then most, but not strangely large. His sandy blonde hair showed little signs of his years, nor did his face. His well cut top coat and trousers fit him well, as did the tailored pale beige shirt he wore underneath. “And all of this by the new captain?” He stated and asked at once. Again Wesley agreed with a nod.

Hank slid his chair into place under his desk and began to pace a short walk directly behind his most prized piece of furniture. The desk was large and commanded presence. It was the kind of thing only a man of power would own.

“This new man, this Slayer, he is a strange sort of deviant.” Hank didn’t look for agreement on this point. He simply took his short stroll, spun on his heel and watched the fine red carpeting below his feet hold indentations of his previous steps. “He strikes me as weak, but at the same time bold. His predecessor would never have left but the minimum alive, a fight to the death.” Hank stopped at this and looked upon his captive audience. “Perhaps, perhaps our men give up quickly and this Slayer is unwilling to kill the defenseless.”

Wesley rarely argued with his boss. Although not far off in height, the blonde held width and livelihood over the brunette man’s head moment by moment. So it was with great trepidation that the next words fell from the smaller ones mouth. “Sir, I do not see how-“ Luckily, his indiscretion was ignored by the man deeply engrossed with his own thoughts.

He stared over Wesley’s head, but kept a seriously menacing look in his eyes. “I want a new order for all ships. They are to fight to the death if attacked. And I want the identity of The Slayer. A full description of the man from eye color the height and any thing else. Offer a reward, whatever you like. I want that bastard out of the water and out of my way. Immediately.”
End Notes:
I was quite upset when I went to grap this chapter earler this week to find it was gone. Poof. I had accidentally saved over the entire thing, and I was particularly happy with how Faith's story came out so at the time I kinda flipped out. Then I recalled that I had saved eash chapter 5 years ago in office format, and checked again in "All Files" mode. I got sooo lucky, because there it was, the original. after a quick conversion all was good. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter as much as i liked getting it ready for yall. :D
CH 5 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Here's some more little clues and a few intros plus some action.
Days passed with busy work and banter. Spike, now the name all called him regularly, had moved from area to area of the ship, gathering with the men on occasions that allowed him to try his hand at the many responsibilities of the ship carrying them along.

The upkeep of the ship had several different aspects, from rebuilding bit’s here and there to maintaining the weight distribution. Every detail of their home’s daily usage was monitored. He found that the captain was quite adamant about this and all men were assigned a task of some menial work to assure the ship’s good standing on the ocean. He was eventually told his job would be to maintain the ties used to hold cargo in place. It was a simple task, and one he gladly accepted.

He had yet to find his niche among the more experienced crew though. And as the days rolled on, he found that each among them had at least one thing that made them stand out.

There was Larry of course. The man could seem to accomplish any task with a rope. What Spike had seen him do, and had begun to show the newcomer, was only the beginning.

Oz as well, was a man with something to show. His tracking skills were known through the ship. Spike had been regaled of at least 10 stories that bellied the red head man’s amazing sight, or his sense of smell, both on land and sea.

Willow’s was obvious, and very few spoke of it. Many men among the crew showed some fear when it came to the quiet girl, but from what he had observed, the fear was from lack of knowledge. The same he had, but for him it commanded more respect for the female and less fear.

Xander, it turned out quite oddly, had a talent with wood, along with a keen eye for the true person. He could see things that some may miss, and had apparently hand picked most of the crew in the last year. Spike had to give the boy credit for that.

Other members he grew to know were Woods, whom had knowledge for the simple feel of the ocean and a sense of direction that had helped guide the ship the first day after the storm. He was also knowledgeable of weapons. His father had been a trader with four others in a small company, and he’d simply learned by listening. Once he was old enough, he taught himself and was proficient with several types of swords, axes, pistols as well as archery pieces.

Parker was apparently the one to come to when negotiating a trade. The man’s sly tongue had saved the supply depleted crew on two occasions since his joining more then 2 years prior. He’d coaxed the last bit of brandy from the owner of a pub in less then 5 minutes once. Of course that procurement had been for his own satisfaction, but the men aboard knew they all, at one time or another, benefited from his skills.

There was also a pair, of which Spike was still unsure of, but seemed like good men in their own way. Jonathon and Andrew were often paired up for duties. They could read and write, which of itself would be no great feat, even among this lot. But each were able to read Latin along with many of the languages off shooting from the dead one. Spike soon found out it was not because they were great students of languages, but because they were each deeply obsessed with mythology, and as Andrew put it, “You can’t possibly appreciate the writing if you can’t read them in the original texts.”

Well... they weren’t perfect fellows, but they were alright.

Another man he saw on a regular basis was Devon. He was an odd one. Said a bit more then Oz, but wasn’t much for conversation simply because he didn’t seem to be very bright, but he did have a talent with numbers and memorization.

He pulled his weight, and could climb the nets that reached up to the mast’s tops with the ease of a creature among the trees. But so could several of the men once used to the act. The only thing Spike could say really set the boy apart was his voice.

William had an appreciation for music, and although he often couldn’t recognize the tune Devon would sum up and recite, it always sounded calming and well put out.

The last one, and never to be called least, was Faith. She’d been a bit of a shock to him. Up front and asking questions like there was no tomorrow. Where was he from, what were his plans, did he like the crew, why did he join? He tried to answer, and in the end she was satisfied.

And Buffy. Yeah, she was a whole other deal. In his time aboard, more then a week now, he’d found a bit out about each of his mates. Where they’d come from, why they joined up among the crew of The Watcher. The only person he didn’t know anything about was her. At this point, he wasn’t even sure if she was the elusive Slayer that had stolen Ripper’s ship. And if she had, then how?

They were questions in his head, but from simple curiosity. She’d shown she was a good captain, and treated the men on board with the same respect she seemed to receive from them. It was somehow easy to accept, but there was something else that nagged at him. What it was, he couldn’t say yet, but it was there. Something was just… off kilter.

For now though, he was well, comfortable, seemingly safe and away from the life chosen of him previously, and a possible choice in his life ahead. He’d taken one large step, and was anxious to see where the path led.

These thoughts went through his mind as he watched another piece of his brown hair, now lightened with streaks of blonde, fall past his vision. “We almost done, pet?”

“Oh just hold on. Let me get this right or you’ll look like a halfwit.” Faith jabbed and he heard the scissors snap shut again. “Oops.”

He swung his head around and looked her dead in the eye. “What do you mean, oops?”

Faith held her hands up and let the scissors dangle from her index finger. “I was kidding. Don’t worry.”

He growled a little before turning back around. “Just don’t force me to shave my head alright?” He felt the comb go through his hair once again.

“Yeah yeah. I’m almost done anyway.”

Two more quick clips and she was using the cloth that had been draped over his shoulders to brush off any hairs that may have reached his skin. “Alright. You’re set.”

Spike looked around to the faces of the audience on the deck for any approving or disproving looks. He saw slight nods and mild smiles all around before Faith handed him the looking glass mounted to a sliver frame and handle.

The cut was simple, an even short crop all over his skull and keeping him from having to fret over the curls that never could manage to keep themselves tied at the back of his neck. The locks still curled, but would no longer blind him at the most inconvenient times.

He scrutinized the unfamiliar man. In truth, he looked quite different. The mild brown was gone and the hair now showing held more blonde then brunette. His face had taken a darker tone as well, giving the blue in his eyes room to shine more clearly. He smiled back at Spike. The man he was now.

“It looks alright, love.” He handed the woman back her mirror and winked. “Devilishly handsome as I was, I’m thrice that. Point me to the nearest port.”

She flashed him a smile and then laughed as the others did.

“Oh yeah. Watch out ladies, here comes Spike.” Xander yelled out, then turned to the others. “To the fearsome pirate, Spike!”

“Here Here.” The others yelled back and stomped then cheered.

William looked about at the faces of his new friends. And for the first time since he’d fled from the death of his parents, he was home.

~~`~~

Buffy glanced towards the closed door of her private room and smiled. “Guess the hair turned out alright.” She snickered for a moment, her face fell as her gaze moved back to the papers at her desk. Several piles, all well organized and usually hidden among her possessions.

The next conquest. The next hit. One more thing to accomplish off her list to bring her to her goal. That, and the information that brought her to her plan in the first place lay in front of her.

She rubbed her temples and tried to concentrate over the yelps outside.

The Premier. A ship owned and run from the Johnston’s Trading and Shipping Co. A name she was familiar with. Their practices were regulatory, and she knew where she would find the treasure the crew and she was after. Their transports generally followed one of 3 well known designs, and she knew each of them from past excursions.

They should meet The Premier within a few days time. Tomorrow she would hold the contests to get the men in the mood for the upcoming fights, and hopefully confirm the assignments given to the men for just this kind of raid.

Her only question was of the new one, Spike. She had yet to assign him a duty, a position to take when the trickery began. That would have to wait until the contests. She couldn’t very well send him in for a fight in which he was unable to defend himself.

“Tomorrow.” She noted to herself, and gathered up her many papers, save one. A correspondence she’d been given by Ripper three days after he’d taken a ship. He’d apparently pondered the decision to share it, she was after all, only 15 at the time, and seemed happy in her new life.

She remembered that day, and the pain she felt reading her own father’s words, her natural father, words written to his sister.

Ripper had not been overly surprised to find a personal message from the owner of the ship to a holder of some of it’s assets. What did surprise him was the letter’s content and to whom it was addressed.

Buffy read over the faded ink again, now, just as shocked. “Elizabeth is coming along quite well in her studies. She has shown some interest and talent for numbers, and I have considered and chosen a finishing school for her to attend in one years time. I appreciate your invitation for her to finish her education in your care, but she has become quite a fine lady, and I can not bare to part from her.”

The letter went on a few more lines. Mostly of the business and what to expect in the upcoming months, but there it was. Her father’s lie of her life as though she had stayed in his care. And no matter how much Buffy considered the falsehood, she couldn’t find it’s root. Its reason.

“But, I will find you father. And we will have words.”

~~`~~

Spike was yanked out of his slumber and sat upwards too quickly from the shock, knocking his head against the upper bunk. “Bugger!” He looked about and from his small quarter’s doors saw the bustling in the narrow hall that lead to the crews lodgings.

Woods dashed by, then Andrew, quickly followed by Jonathan. “Oi! What’s all this?” He asked to anyone of them that might pay heed, but none did. All he received was a command from one of the linguists. “Get dressed, it’s starting.” And he wasn’t even sure which one of the two had said it.

Trying to shake the cobwebs from his still sleepy mind, Spike quickly tossed on one of his loose shirts and yanked on his boots before running after the others.

As soon as he emerged form the lower level to the deck, he realized he’d really overslept. The sun was nearly at its noon day position. And for some reason he didn’t know, there was going to be a fight.

The crew was forming a circle on the main part of the upper deck and the few that he hadn’t gotten to know as well were joining as they walked over. He decided to stay at the outer edges, and stepped up twice to see from the stairs leading to the helm.

He didn’t join in with the noisy cheers, randomly calling out names and rooting for whoever they wished the victor to be. Some were boasting threats to others, and for the life of him, Spike couldn’t make reason to any of it. He just kept looking over the faces he’d become familiar with, and went back to his earlier conclusion with one amendment. It wasn’t just the captain, Red and Xander. The entire ship was ready for the mental hospital.

He was taking all this in when he felt a hand on his shoulder, and Xander smiled at him before nodding to the still empty center of the circle. “I’m afraid you’re up first. New man, first fight.”

“What?” Spike asked thoroughly confused now. “Fight who?” He asked while once again looking over the faces, trying to decide who might have a problem with him.

“Well... just three of us. Normally it would be nearly the full crew, one spar at a time, but we’re on a tight schedule so, don’t want to do you too much damage.” Xander grinned at him with a look that Spike had come to know meant the younger brunette was partially making a joke. Of course that meant he was also partially serious, and in this case, that could be very bad.

“Which three?” Spike asked, trying to understand.

“Well now that all depends.” He heard the captain’s voice over the drone, and the others became quite very quickly. “See, we all have a job here. We work for a living.”

Cheers were heard resuming in a throng, then hushed to silence in an instant. Buffy was in control here. This was her domain, Spike quickly decided she liked the control.

“But, you must be well suited for the job. Some will improve, some will worsen, and others simply aren’t here for the fight.” She looked from man to man, then with her finishing statement she eyed the pair of mythology experts.” But we all have something to contribute, and we all will.” She walked across the deck to the newest member, “We are here today to judge anyone asking to change their duty for the raid.” She stated, then looked him over and crossed her arms. “And see what you can do, Spike.”

He raised a brow before stating. “I want in the mix. Put me in the line of a fight.”

She sneered a little. “I thought you might say that.” She turned to the crowd. “I need two volunteers. Vie for your position at the front.”

The dozen or more looked from each other. The eyes turned from one another, then back to the new fella. Woods gave the man a nod. “I’ll let him have a try.” The man announced and stepped up. “If he thinks he’s up for it.”

“Me too.” Another voice called and everyone saw Parker step into the center.

Buffy nodded at both men, and turned back to Spike. “Your challengers.”

Spike stared at her for a moment, then turned to Xander. “ I thought you said three?”

“You have to fight The Slayer too.” Xander informed him.

Spike took another look at Buffy. “And is The Slayer any good?”

Xander scrunched his brow together, and let out a not quite manly giggle before quieting himself. “Does the phrase, ‘undefeated’ mean anything to you?”

“Well if I can’t beat The Slayer, how do I gain the position?”

“You only have to beat one of them. Slayer just likes to gauge the fighter. A personal battle is the best way.” Xander tried to explain.

Spike nodded, now getting a feel for the rules, just before Buffy began to go over the rest of them. She still stood at the center, and her voice rang out. “Pick your weapons, fists or swords men. We want minimal damage here boys, so we’re going with hits versus downs. All damage must be reconciled after, and any lost challenges results in loss of the position.”

Buffy eyed Spike once more. “Of course, if you can’t beat anyone, you start at the bottom, but since you’re filling an empty space it won‘t make much difference unless you simply can‘t fight.” She stopped and waited for the non existent protests of her crew, then stepped aside. “First challenge. Woods, Spike.”

Spike stepped down and passed through the small crowd to the center. He faced Woods and gave him a nod. The men understood there was no malice in the fight. This was about their job, nothing personal. In fact, Woods liked the man, and thought by speaking up he’d get others into the challenge. Having decided already to go easy on Spike, but not let him win.

“Weapons?” Buffy asked the men.

Woods shook his head. “Hand to hand alright with you?”

Spike nodded once.

Buffy turned him. “Ok, Spike, the rules are simple. We count hits out. You don’t need to beat on each other, and I can’t use you if you two let this go too far.”

“Got it.” Spike said. “Contact, little damage.”

Buffy nodded and turned to Woods. “We clear?”

“As always, Captain.”

She nodded to him as well and backed away. She looked over to Willow who stood at the helm near the warning bell hanging just over the wheel. “At the ring, the fight begins. You have until my count of two hundred.” She saw understanding in the two men’s faces, raised her hand holding the metal rod poised to strike, then hit it once causing the bell’s toll to resonate through the air in a clear tone. She then turned her back on them all and started her count

And it began.

“You know, you’re a decent bloke.” Spike said and raised his fists as he began to circle to his right.

Woods followed the motion and gave the man a clear white toothed grin. “You have been improving since your arrival.”

“And here I thought I’d perfected everything.” He quipped back.

Woods chuckled. “Not even close.”

“Well then I suppose it’s time I used some natural talent then. No use being here and unimpressive.”

Woods watched the man’s eyes as he spoke. He suddenly had a feeling he may not need to go easy on the smaller man. “Whenever you’re ready.”

“Alright.” And with that word Spike made his first strike. A left punch first, followed by a right hitting both jaw and nose in succession. “That work for a start?” He asked with a light hearted tone. He’d pulled his punches enough to know he’d not hurt the dark man, but got in the first two hits.

“A start.” Woods replied, and they were at it. Both men followed hits with combinations that made the counting difficult. Spike blocked, but so did Woods once he saw he was in for a real fight. They were careful with their strikes, aiming for non mortal areas. Just making contact, grinning, backing up and throwing themselves into it once again.

The crew stood by, watching the match play out. Several noted the fact that Spike still stood after Wood’s got his first hits in. The murmurs of the crowd added a buzzing background to the grunts and smacks of flesh hitting flesh. All the while Buffy studied the new man’s moves, equally impressed that he was doing as well as he was, but taking note that as his time passed and his hit count grew, so did his ego which began to cause some sloppiness in his moves.

“You are a good challenge.” Woods decided, and swiped at the drops of blood coming from a split lip. “I may have lost count.”

Spike smiled. “24 for you mate.” He smiled. “Course not quite as good as the 32 for me, but nice shot.” He winked and Woods laughed outright.

“Why are you so happy ‘bout it?” Spike asked quizzically.

Woods shook his head and leapt forward with a swipe at Spike’s feet. The less experienced sailor fell down, and Woods gave him 6 punches in alternate positions before leaping back and letting Spike get back up.

“Still got you by two.” Spike surmised and stepped up swinging at Woods stomach but was blocked, then felt another combination of hits, this time kicks. First to the back of his knees, then to his back and finally to his side. The last hit was a good one, knocking the air clean out of him. He was down and just when he realized this, the bell rang.

Spike, sprawled out on his stomach, rolled over and bent his neck back to see Willow in much the same stance she had been before the fight began. She gave him a half smile before yelping. “Times up.”

Buffy spoke with Devon for a moment, confirming her count with the man. She soon stepped from the crowd and walked up to Woods. “Well done. You have secured your position Woods.”

“Really, was their a doubt?” He said with a wide grin.

She stared up at him and smiled right back. “Yeah, but only for the first 180 seconds.” And with a chuckle she turned and looked down at Spike who’d managed to push himself into a sitting position. “As for you, you have another chance at it, but as it stands you’ll be standing watch with Andrew and Jonny Boy.” She couldn’t help but throw out the empty threat.

Spike hazard a glance at the pair who stood near the entrance to the meeting room. Both smiled, shrugged, then turned to each other to talk. Again he thought, decent fellows, just not his idea of a fun pair to associate with during a bloody festival of a raid.

So with a trudging breath, he stood himself up, tested out his joints by bending and twisting. Nothing seemed damaged aside from his ego.

With understanding Buffy quickly announced the next match. “Next up! Parker. Spike.”

During the battle with Woods, Parker had studied William’s moves. Fear and worry soon over came him once he saw the hold Spike seemingly had over the larger man from the start.

Not only did he seem to have a hidden strength, but his movements were smooth and well executed. Hand to hand wasn’t Parker’s forte as it was. Now, he’d wished he’d just kept his place with the others. With an already defeated look, Parker headed into the makeshift ring, and set himself up for the loss he knew was coming.

When Spike saw the already missing hope in the other man’s eyes, he almost felt sorry for him. Ego not withstanding, Spike knew he was good. Parker had probably chosen to fight simply to look like he was participating, and from first glance Will looked like an easy mark.

He knew the look in his new comrade’s eyes well, and usually he reveled in it but, once again the fight was for position, not malice. He hated to have to down the boy but the rules the crew lived by were his now, and he wasn’t about to be set up in the galley keeping watch over the ship while the others had all the fun.

Once the two were standing face to face, Buffy stood beside them and repeated her warnings. “You beat each other too much, and you’re both stuck here. Got it?” She said, taking an extra glance at Spike to make sure he was up for it.

Both men nodded their understanding, and backed off from each other. Parker turned his head and watched as Buffy took her place among the others, then he stared back at his opponent to see his head still turned towards the back of their captain. There was an obvious attraction for Buffy within young William. With his mind working quickly, the former salesman slash conman formed a plan.

Willow went through her bit before the bell was struck again and Parker stepped forward at the ready for Spike’s assault. He knew he’d get a good thrashing either way, but he’d just discovered a weakness, and like any shyster, he was ready to exploit it.

Much as he had before, Spike leapt forward and began his hits. Once more pulling back on their force so as to limit damage to bruises and possible bloodied lips and a nose, but nothing that wouldn’t heal up soon or might diminish the other mans ability to do his work in the next few days regardless of what that may be.

Parker defended himself well enough, and he was able to strike some blows as well but he had to act fast. He waited until Spike went at him again with the 3 count punches he seemed to enjoy. The last hit put him within arms reach and once he was there, Parker grabbed his neck and rolled them both over so that the boxing match was soon resembling a wrestling competition. Parker’s mouth was close to Spike’s ear now. Possibly an awkward position for most, but exactly where he needed to be to get the upper hand.

In a low mocking voice, Parker let the words slide out like honey. “I think ya have a fancy for the captain there, Will.”

Spike was powerless for the moment, held down with Parkers arms twisted around his right leg and his neck. He was immobile. “Ain’t I the lucky one then? Getting‘ to be the center of her attention for the moment.” He gritted out, trying to discover a way out of his new predicament.

Parker rolled them over and in the process managed two hits so the other man’s side before landing straddling his abdomen. He was only one hit behind, and Spike was well winded. Parker had also managed to waste several seconds that Spike could have used to make a wider gap in the count. “I think I’d prefer her on top.” He tossed out half thinking and half picturing one of his more graphic of fantasies. It passed though and he’d soon found his idea was taking affect.

Parker moved to stand, his last comment hanging between them and Spike pushed the man back forcefully. All the sudden, Spike didn’t much care for Parker. Not that they’d become fast friends anyway, but he got the distinct impression that Parker always played dirty, even among allies.

Spike gritted his teeth, and once more came out swinging. Both men let the wails on each other come fast and harder then need be, but everyone was caught up in the spectacle that had begun as a friendly match and had somehow turned into what looked now to be a personal battle. With the noise of the onlookers shouts, Parker’s comments had been missed by any in the wide circle.

The men now faced each other, mostly vertical with some swaying as they breathed hard and fast, each waiting for the next move. Parker visibly straightened up as much as he could and staggered a few steps closer to Spike while the wails and cheers picked up. The end was close.

“Come on, she’s something to look at. Tell me you haven’t considered it… under the right circumstances.” He tried to wink, but his eyes were both sporting red marks that would probably darken before the hour was over. He leaned in again, and breathed the words, barely audible to Will even with his close proximity. “Her, screamin’, moving on ya.”

Spike was still standing with his fists ready, but his mind had gone to another place. A place where angels rode you long and hard, where they bounced and pleasured and moaned. Where pert nipples were exposed and begging to be suckled. A place where-

Out of nowhere a ‘Thwack!!’ was heard as Parker took his foe’s momentary distraction to his own advantage.

The punch was more forceful then he’d been prepared for. Oh hell let’s face it, he was in no way prepared for any of what had just happened. That in mind, Spike flew back, twisting his body with the force of the blow.

The crew ‘s murmurs stopped completely, only to be taken over by a round of ‘Oh’s’ as his body, eyes filled with shock, fell to the ground with a hard thud
End Notes:
I know, why would I stop there? Am I just mean? The answer is yes, and no. I'm posting this on monday so that there will be a few days for people to read and i can do another update maybe tomorrow or Wed and another Friday. I don't like splitting up the stuff in these chapters but if I didn't it would be crazy long.
CH 6 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Alright. posting today is all due to spikey, cordykitten, demona424 and NeomeBuffy who all gave such kind reviews and made me feel, yet again, a deep need to share more quickly.
Buffy wasn’t sure what to make of any of the last 199 seconds. At first the entire thing looked much like any other challenge she’d seen. Good start for one, bad for the other. Some tricks and slip ups, and the last minute ‘strike what you can while you can’ that came from the realization that time was nearly up and there was no clear victor.

She had patiently kept count up until Spike pushed Parker off with a little more force then was needed. Then the air of the battle became electric and her focus zeroed in on the pair’s stances and the looks they were throwing each other. Parker was talking, probably trying to break Spike’s concentration. Apparently it worked.

Buffy was taken aback when Parker fully punched Spike across the jaw, sending the surprised male down in a heap. A moment later the bell rang over the eerily quiet crew.

Once again Spike found himself on his back, twisting his head back to see the red head’s half smile and almost sorrowful look as she set the metal striker aside before making her announcement. “Time’s up!”

Parker, still breathing hard, walked over to the downed man. “Have to say, I really thought you had me.” He said and held his hand out for the other man to use as he hauled himself up. Spike did and was struck with the thought that maybe Parker had just been using his strengths. Using his quick mouth to get what was wanted. In this case that was the upper hand.

He had to shake his head at how easily he’d fallen for the other man’s ploy. Spike hesitated, and glanced in the direction of the captain who was once again consulting with the bard before addressing the second man to defeat him today. “Would have if you’d kept your bloody mouth shut.” He said to Parker seriously, then fell back into an easy chuckle.

Parker grinned back with a look of camaraderie on his face and turned to see the captain approach.

Buffy walked up to the pair finally, shaking her head with a frown on her face. She eyed both men proudly wearing the matching set of black eyes, bloodied noses and other various bruises and scratches. Nothing major, but all together the damage was slowing the pair of fellas down for the rest of the day at least. Both were quite aware of that fact.

They took her frown as having to do with their matching states of disarray as they literally felt her looking them over.

“I hate to say this,” she began and shifted her gaze to the crew circling and waiting for the deciding call. “But I lost count.” She said with a bit of laughter covering her uneasiness.

Snickers ran over all who were top deck and they all began to compare counts. Unfortunately no 2 people came up with the same numbers. Even Devon had been too distracted by the aggression to be sure of his numbers.

Spike glanced over to Parker who shrugged, letting him know he wasn’t sure who had the greater number of blows either.

Now, there was one thing William had tried to be in his life, and that was fair. He’d seen too much unfairness in his youth and entrance into adulthood, that he’d made himself a promise to try and always be straight with people. So it was with an inward growl and a hesitant tongue that he spoke up. “Capt’n. He got me by one.” His voice mumbled and his head jerked to Parker in a swift motion. “29 to my 28.” He clarified.

Parker looked clearly stunned, but gave the man a nod for his efforts before looking back at Buffy for her decision.

For the first time since the storm, Elizabeth took an extra look, scrutinizing Spike, and still unsure of exactly what he was about. Who exactly he was. She gained some respect for him though. Declining to hide his count, and relieving her of what would have been a difficult decision. “Alright. The match goes to you then.” She nodded to Parker. “Well done, both of you.”

Parker had the good grace to pat Spike on the back and encourage the good show he put up. He was quite aware he’d lucked out.

“Well then.” Buffy addressed the crew glancing back at Spike who had hauled himself up, but looked a bit worse for wear. “Faith, take over the count.” The brunette stepped up and headed towards the helm, letting go of Woods’s arm. “I suspect Spike and Parker could use some of Willow’s healing now.” The red head came down the steps and escorted the bruised pair from the main deck to the steps leading down to the galley.

As they left the area, the two heard the next challenge called out. “Larry, Devon!” She went on as before, but her words muffled as they went along.

They disappeared to the lower level, turning into the galley, past the empty tables and into the empty cooking space. On the stove was an already boiling concoction that had a bitter odor filling the small space.

“Agh, Red, what you got cooking in there. Skunk arse?” He made no attempt to hiding his disgust.

She gave him a clearly annoyed look and took to stirring the concoction. “It’ll heal you up. You’re lucky, any thing more than cuts and bruises and you have to deal with actual healing time. As it is, the rest of the competition will have to hold until after the final meal.” She glanced at the deep cut across Spike’s eyebrow from one of his falls trying to deduce how long it would take for him to be up for the final competition. “Looks like it’ll be a lamplight affair.”

“Are you out of you’re little ‘ead there?” I can barely move. Feel the joints tightening up while I stand ‘ere.”

Parker gave him a warning elbow to the side which only aggravated both of the men’s wounds.

She turned and grinned. “You’re agitated. Just sit down out there. You too, shoo.” She motioned to Parker with a sideways nod, then watched to be sure the men were following her orders. “And don’t worry, I know what I’m doing.”

Spike huffed, but already knew to listen to the woman, so he turned following the other man out to the first empty bench and sat. His legs and back protested to what should have been a relaxing position. The grunt was quiet, but he knew she’d heard it.

Pain, agony, discomfort.

Ok, discomfort.

A few minutes passed, and he soon saw her come out with a bowl and several scraps of cloth. “Now, take off your shirt.”

He quirked a brow. “Excuse me?”

~~`~~

They were playing with each other. Buffy rolled her eyes at the pair.

She watched Faith swagger in a way only that woman could and spin before landing a well placed kick into her lover’s stomach.

Woods tried to block the move, a favorite of the girl’s, but came up short and found himself stumbling backwards trying to regain his center of gravity. With a slight scowl he took a few steps forward and decided on his next move.

“Those two, at it again.” Xander said as he stepped up to Buffy’s side with an apple ready to be eaten.

“Well it has been nearly a month since the last raid. Energy builds I guess.” She shrugged.

“Plus, I think she likes to aggravate him.” He added which was quickly followed by the crunch of his first bite.

“Hey, females as a species do not set out to aggravate men.” She clarified for him, and noticed his unbelieving look. “Well, just the ones we like.”

He shook his head as he downed the snack before talking. “Good thing they have equal standing on board. Be a shame if one of them actually lost rank because of a match.”

Buffy turned slowly and glared at him. “No one is loosing rank around here.”

“The rules say…”

“I assure you, I’m in top form.” She saw his wide grin. “ And you’re making jokes with me.” She finished blushing a bit because she’d let him take her along.

“Well… knocking your confidence down just a bit, Buffy. Spike’s already been downed twice today.” He paused for a moment. “And by Parker no less.” He pretended to shiver.

“I’ll endeavor to restrain my extreme proficiency.” Buffy announced to her first mate who looked at her curiously. “I’ll try not to beat him too badly.”

“Ah.” He nodded knowingly.

~~`~~

Spike blinked, and was glad he could accomplish the act.

Before leaving him, Willow had him lay down with bits of the poultice covering him mid waist to forehead. She’d prepared another concoction for both men’s eyes, and they’d bantered back and forth for a good twenty minutes before a sudden sleepiness quieted the bunkmates.

Spike lifted the cheesecloth holding the moist herbs that had somehow healed his swollen lids enough to allow him his normal sight. Better then normal for him it seemed, he took note when he realized he could pick out the smaller details in the wood that was the frame of his bunk with no need of his glasses. “Must be residuals off of Red’s handiwork.” He deduced.

He swung his legs over the side of the bed and carefully sat up waiting for the tug and pull of his bruised side, or an ache from his shoulders and neck, but none came. The poultice, now dried and crisp, flaked from him as he stood leaving a brownish black dust behind.

Testing his range of movement as he twisted and moved in the small area, he called out. “Well mate, I’ll have to hand it to Red there.” He praised and turned to see the empty bunk that Parker had once occupied. “And I’ll also have to talk to you another time, seeing as I’m apparently having quite a conversation with myself at the moment.”

Spike quickly examined his arms and torso for signs of his battles. They were there, but where angry purple and blue should have been he only saw the fading brown and yellow of nearly healed bruises, and his body wasn’t even tender. “Bloody amazing.” He sighed quite pleased with the outcome.

It was then he heard voices coming. “I’m sure he’s ready.” Willow was saying.

“Tell him he’s up next.” Andrew called to her.

Her footsteps were hurried so he wasn’t at all surprised to see her standing at his door seconds later. “Lo, Red.”

“Oh good, you’re up and out.” She looked over him, checking her handiwork. “No pain?”

“Good as new. Don’ feel like I’ve done a bit of hurt to myself.”

She sighed a happy smile before going into hyper Willow mode again. “Ok, get dressed and hurry. You’re the last ones and everyone’s kinda, well, anxious.” She gave him an off centered grin and hurried away.

He shrugged at her hyperactivity and threw on a clean shirt before heading up to the main deck.

When he got there, the scene was morose. Everyone stood in the same circle, but the silence was deafening to his ears as all eyes fell to him. “What is it?” He asked Xander when a space was made for him to walk into the center by the brunette.

“Fight with The Slayer is kind of a big deal around here.” He said simply, and gave Spike a quick pat on the shoulder. “Good luck.”

Spike ran his hand through his newly clipped locks as he finished the short stroll to the center, and looked up to the helm for Willow.

There she was, same grin, same metal striker.

He looked over the crew and saw the same faces he’d seen earlier. All waiting, but seemingly with more-. He wasn’t sure what to call it. Anticipation just wasn’t quite the word. Too strong? Not strong enough? He wasn’t positive, all he knew was it didn’t fit.

“Good luck.” Spike heard calling from above and saw Oz’s tuft of hair disappear back into the crows nest.

OK, now he knew he was in trouble. Oz had just taken a moment to speak not needed words.

This was going to be bad.

His quick observation of the people all in wait gave him no clue as to from which direction his foe would come. Not until the captain’s doors opened and she strode out deftly fastening the top silver button on a well tailored black vest. Her hair was tied back and the kerchief he recognized from the storm held any other stray hair from her face. “So, you ready for this Will?”

He blinked.

And just to make sure, he blinked it again.

His eyes were playing tricks on him, had to be. There was that glow, the one he’d confused with the shine of an angel’s aura during the storm. And all he could do was stand and stare at the familiar gleam that had caught his attention when her hair was floating in the puddle made from the liquid that had been falling from the angry clouds that first day. It was an odd clarity.

Only this time, it was dark and there was no hair for lightning as it was contained within the kerchief. And stars and moon were out but could not be causing the golden hue surrounding the woman.

She seemed to notice his odd glare while walking towards him. “What?”

He shook his head, and let his eyes fall shut once more in the hopes that the ethereal quality of his vision would leave and was glad when he looked back to see her lacking the distracting golden layer trailing. He tried to recover himself, collecting the demeanor he usually tried to hold up. “Nothing. Nothing at all. Just still have trouble associating you with the stories.”

This had her held in her tracks a few feet away from him. “Oh yeah? And why’s that?”

He gave her one good look over. “Just, not real sure how you’d take this craft from such as the likes of Ripper. You really dun look like much.”

She quirked an eyebrow with a look of pure surprise. “Oh really?”

Spike had yet another sign that this was going to be bad when he heard the snickers and murmurs from the crowd. He tried to play it off. “But same’s been said of me.”

She chuckled. “If I’m not mistaken, you didn’t accomplish much.” She grinned a vibrant smile with the stars shining above and behind her. The lamps that hung from various walls and posts lit the immediate area so the two wouldn’t be fighting blind in the late hour.

A spitfire she was, and he was soon becoming quite aware that she was annoying the hell out of him. “Caught off guard is all.” He gave her a very open and rude glare. “No underestimating this time.”

“We will see.” She sing songed at him and nodded to Willow who was waiting in place before turning back to Spike. “Fists all right with you?”

“S’fine.”

“I’d ask you to hold back…” She shrugged and gave him a pitying look then left the sentence hang and waited for the bell to ring.

“Hey!” *RING* “Oomph.”

From the view of the worn wood of the deck he was now sporting a close up of for the third time that day, Spike decided he was really quite tired of this entire procedure. He was also sure Xander was yelling something to him from the crowd, but so many people were spouting out advice and cheers to both of the combatants that he couldn’t pick out the simple warning to; “Watch your nose, Spike.”

After shaking off the unexpected blow Spike turned over and righted himself. “I suppose this means I can skip the bloody, ‘No hitting of ladies’ rule.” He said flatly before grinning and coming at her with a roundhouse followed by a one-two-three punch. All of which she blocked with ease.

“Oh no, by all means. I always wondered exactly how large of a gap I could gain over someone.” She said before swinging her weight sideways and directing a hit to his gut.

He caught her foot.

She stared at his hand gripping her ankle tightly, confused.

“You know,” He asked with her boot in hand. “I’m beginning to think the rule doesn’t apply.” He swung her leg away and spun low catching her other foot, causing her to flip up, and back straight to the ground in one smooth motion. “No ladies present.” He finished with a sneer.

The wind knocked out of her, Buffy sat up and tried to huff in enough oxygen to get up. In seconds she was fully upright and deciding on her next move. “Are you trying to imply that I, your captain, and may I remind you the one who holds your very life in her hands,” She paused and blocked two punches that came her way before throwing two of her own and then another kick to his gut. This time making contact, he oomphed again and stumbled back towards the crowd watching, listening and staying more silent as the seconds ticked away. “That I am not a lady?”

Spike gripped his side for a moment. That last kick he should have been expecting. These people talked too much. On the good side it gave him precious moments of recovery time.

“That would be it ducks.” And he went for the battle in earnest.

Buffy was taken off guard, not by his answer but by his quick movements. She was used to hard blows, and even well trained aim, but to have that combined with speed that quite frankly only she had gained from serious practice at the insistence of Ripper as she grew up among the ship full of men, was more than surprising. It was damn disconcerting.

All at once she was pulling up every moment of lessons and training she’d gained by the most proficient men aboard the old crew. Her youth’s crew.

Spins and blocks, jumps and flips that she’d only practiced alone on occasion to be sure her skilled never became lax were flying from her faster then her mind could process the move, but they came none the less like second nature.

The two were so engrossed in the fists and feet they had to control that they never heard the crowd’s cheers pick up nor the warning from above.

~~`~~

Willow fidgeted with the small metal bar that was in her care. She tapped it, she switched it from one hand to the other she even did something of a conductor’s movements for a little while. All the while she kept her count and it was driving her to distraction.

Or rather, the people’s yells and the muffled words from the battling duo were driver her to distraction. She tried very hard not to hear them. And For goodness sake, it’s only counting.

Counting! Jeez. No reason to stress out.

And even as those thoughts went through her head, she kept the numbers streaming methodically through her head..

At 100 she heard the blows speed up. At 146 they stopped for a moment before picking up again. At 156 she could have sworn she heard Oz yelling. At 182 she knew she heard him and peaked over her shoulder up at him to see him waving his arms, yelling, and then pointing to a faint light starboard. At 186 she rang that little bell for all it was worth.

The challenge came to an immediate halt with Spike not on his back, she was happy to note, but then remembered it didn’t count. Wouldn’t matter right now. Not when the call came again from above them all.

“Ship!!”

All eyes turned to the direction the red head high above them all was pointing and they scrambled to study the lights from the distance moving in their direction.

“Shhhhhit.” Buffy said under her breath. “Just what we need.” She spun and turned to climb up the rope nets.

Spike looked around to see what the others were doing, and trying to figure out exactly what he should do. He was at a loss. Were they supposed to get ready for a fight? Was this ship an enemy? How would they know?

~~`~~

Oz pulled the monocular away from his eye and nodded to Buffy as she swung a leg over the side of the crows nest.

The space inside could hold 5 people if it was really needed, although this was only a theory of hers. One Giles never would let her test out. But it wasn’t uncomfortable as long as you didn’t mind sitting or squatting most of the time. “What do we have?”

He handed the magnifying device to her and she quickly took a glance herself.

“Looks like The Initiative.”

“Finn.” Buffy pursed her lips. “No, I really didn’t need this right now.” She sighed and handed the man back his monocular before heading back down the net that lead between the spy sight and the main deck.

Her mind went over what she was going to do next. She soon came upon Spike, still standing among the mulling crew who all seemed to have the same question in their eyes as he did. What now?

“Xander, it’s just Finn. Let’s let him catch us. He won’t leave us be until he does anyway and I don’t want any more of a delay then we can possibly avoid.” She kept her true reasons for needing The Initiative to catch them to herself.

“Got it Cap.” He headed up to the helm, tossing out short orders to the men manning the sails along the way.

“Problem captain?” Spike asked and noticed he was not the only curious one.

Buffy shook her head and noticed the extra ears all waiting for her answer. “Not a problem. Just another boat full of pirates. But I know Finn. He’s not about to start trouble.”

“Hmph.”

Spike heard it. Willow was crossing her arms with a none too pleased look on her face. He was curious. Had this Finn somehow wronged the red head?

Again he reassessed the position of the approaching craft. It was going to be at their proverbial doorstep in no time.
End Notes:
Yes, we have a Riley Finn here to cause some trouble... or is he?? and what about Spike's standing on the ship??
CH 7 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Once again, I have to thank the reviewers. You guys are awesome, and I'm so glad I decided to post a few chaps this week. Splitting these 3 chapters just seemed wrong.
Riley sighed. It was the same argument they’d had since Ripper announced to his daughter that he was going to retire. Just a few months after Finn had happened upon them and subsequently left the service of His Majesty, joining the crew of The Watcher, and catching the eye of The Slayer.

Part of the young man, now captain of his own ship forcibly taken from his former navy captain, was sure that his closeness to the blonde beauty inspired Ripper to retire and ultimately decide to let the current crew go their own way. The current crew at the time had included Finn. But then the opportunity to take command of an ‘acquired’ navel ship was too much to pass up.

“The rumors,” He started again, trying to find the words. “Johnston’s is going to be making some changes. They know what you are up to Slayer, or at least as much as anyone can know without really knowing. These calculated raids are becoming entirely too dangerous.”

She shook her head. “I have my reasons.” She stated in a weary voice. This really was an old argument. “So, what kinds of changes?”

Riley pushed the chair back and leaned forward resting his weight on his forearms as they lay across the table. “You remember The Constance?” He asked in a hushed tone. She nodded. “Thought you might. Well it seems the first mate is swearing he can identify you.”

Buffy raised a brow unbelieving. “That’s impossible, we didn’t even raid that-”

Riley raised a hand to stop her. “I know. I remember you telling me you thought they might be set up for an attack. Rare shipments on board I believe was why you backed down.”

“I didn’t back down. It was a strategic move. Carefully planned and.. and.. yeah ok, well the risk out weighed the booty take.” She explained out loud for herself more then him then quirked her head to the side. “But then why would this mate think he can describe me?”

“I really don’t know. Like I said, rumors. The thing is, Summers has been waiting for an excuse to change the directives for his ships. Exactly how hard they should fight to protect the cargo being shipped. At the same time, they’ve been mapping out where you hit them. Trying to avoid your haunts would be my guess.”

“Makes sense.” Buffy agreed with another nod. “But that still doesn’t explain the first mate. I don’t see why I should be worried.”

“Because, Buffy, he’s dead on.”

“What?!”

Riley shook his head and closed his eyes before looking back at her. “He had you down to a T. Complete with the hat and the hair.”

“That’s impossible.” She slammed her hand on the tabletop and stood up forcefully. “How the hell…?”

“I don’t know.” Riley confessed. “All I can tell you is that my sources on this are extremely reliable. Graham still has close connections there.”

She shook her head at him. “You and your sources.” A heavy sigh fought it’s way out of her. It was supposed to be calming, but instead it gave her a few more free moments to contemplate the new development. Her curious face came into his view once the breath was expelled. “How seriously do you think the men at Johnston’s are taking his recollection of ‘me’?”

“Well, the informant was only there while some of the men from the shipping company were asking for all information on The Watcher and it’s crew, but from what I can tell, most of them are even more ludicrous then a female captain.” He gave her a boyish grin. “Some have even include the face of the owner.”

She couldn‘t help but display a smile of her own. That part was easily explained, at least for her it was. “So in the muddle of faces given, including Hank Summers’s own, mine turned up?”

Riley nodded. “Yes. But that’s not the real news.”

“Go on.” She encouraged with a small nod.

He took a deep breath before continuing. “Whoever attacked The Constance did a thorough job of it. Only 3 survivors were left.”

“What?!?”

Riley frowned slightly. “That’s another reason I know it wasn’t you. One thing you and I always did see eye to eye on was to keep the innocent bloodshed to a minimum. This whole slaughter and snatch thing, it just wasn’t your style.”

“But Johnston’s is going to think it is now.”

“And that gave Summers the perfect excuse to upgrade his orders on how to handle attacks.”

“Shhh-it.”

“That was pretty much my reaction as well.” Riley admitted.

Buffy leaned her body forward and propped her elbow on the table so her hand could easily support her head as she rested her forehead against her palm. Her shoulders raised with an exaggerated intake of air and fell in time with the whispering sigh that soon followed.

“Buffy?”

“How old is this information?” She asked not raising her head.

“About a week old.”

“So he could have put out the order by now.” She clarified to herself out loud.

Moments went by in the silence of the inner sanctum. The men and women outside the room knew not to disturb the two captains, and to keep their reunion of like minded men of the sea to a minimal roar. So the slight buzz outside the four walls was unnoticed and unimportant for them.

“Buffy?” He asked with some concern in his voice.

She looked up at him and brushed the hair that had loosened itself during her spar earlier back from her eyes. “Captain Finn, I require repayment on a marker you are owed to me.”

It was not what he expected. “For The Initiative?”

She stared him down. “When we came upon the ship, I and my crew helped you obtain it. I call on you now for assistance.” Of course they both knew that at the time, Ripper had been in command. But the payment was due none the less.

“Of course, Captain. Whatever you require.”

“Good, I’ll get back to you on that one, but know it will be soon.” She finished the statement and watched his head bob in a very gentlemanly acknowledgement before she moved on to other business. “There was one other thing, wasn’t there?”

“Right.” He said and reached into his waistcoat. A style he’d gotten used to in the navy and had carried on with him. The simple black with olive trim was nothing spectacular, but cut of the garment was part of what made him feel like himself. When his hand revealed itself again, it held a bone hued bundle of folded papers bound by a short piece of twine.

~~`~~

Spike hung back as the familiar mingled with the unfamiliar faces. Leaning back against the banister that wrapped around the ships edge, he tried to measure up the few men that had come with their captain to see those aboard The Watcher.

“No-o.” Willow shook her head in disbelief at a man who seemed to be quite at home among the pirates. “He didn’t really?”

“On my honor.” The brunette said, raising his right hand as if taking an oath.

Faith sidled up to him with a flirtatious grin, “I wouldn’t put it past Finn. Never was much for holding on to a good thing.”

Another man joined the group, this one with the coloring of Woods, but his look was slightly different. It was something in the eyes, but Spike couldn’t quite put it into words, nor describe why this particular man rubbed him the wrong way on sight. “The Captain’s made some ruthless decisions, but not a man among us can say we didn’t come out for the better.”

“Still,” Red continued, only favoring the dark man with a glance before returning her attention to Graham. “That was one of the most amazingly crafted daggers I have ever seen. I still think it could have been ritualistic. Maybe Indian.” Her face shifted to a look of excitement as an idea obviously formed in her head. “Graham, do you think I could get the name of the man he traded it with?”

The man grinned and smiled at the petite red head. “Sorry Willow, I don’t know who he was. Someone Riley knew. Not me.”

Spike couldn’t help but quirk the corner of his mouth when the pout came from the usually more resolved witch. “Red, maybe you could get the captain to tell you where he last saw the bloke.”

All eyes turned to the previously silent sandy blonde as he pushed himself away from the ship’s railing and joined the small group that had formed only a few feet from the meeting room’s door.

Again the excitement took the young woman’s face and she even let a small clap control her hands while the offered plan sunk in. “Oh, yeah. And an idea of what he looks like.”

“From what I heard, it’s not his looks you’d need to follow.” Forest contributed. “Just find the smell of pigs, and keep on it.”

Willow’s nose scrunched up, and she grimaced at the thought. “Well maybe it wasn’t ritualistic. Probably just some wealthy man’s idea of showing off.”

Faith laughed out loud at that one. “Don’t worry Red, if we smell pigs and see a tang with etched pearl and an Ivory shaft, I’ll do the smelly work.” She laughed again as she spoke. “Can’t be any worse of a stench then some of the customers I had.”

The group was silent for a moment. Talking of ones past wasn’t generally done. Faith however, never saw a need to hide who she’d once been. Going from whore to pirate had been a step up in her opinion, and she was glad to let anyone who could hear that in her mind’s eye, she had improved. “Also, I know some tricks on how to forget the stench.”

Again Willow’s nose wrinkled. “What if the dagger smells badly now?”

This resulted in a break of the tension, and a round of laughter from those involved in the conversation and the few who were lingering and listening.

Some of the crew had dispersed below once their visitors boarded. Others had opted to take a look around The Initiative. A newer and more modern ship built for, and by Britain’s best. Also stolen by some of sea’s best.

But almost a dozen bodies were on deck at the moment, talking and catching up on old times. The crews were fairly close and they met up more often then would be regarded as normal compared to most. Through the past two years, several members of one crew had a mate among the other that they would go directly to and compare notes, or discuss strategies. Often barter and trade took place on a personal level for anything from certain foods, to a specific belt.

Generally though, it was a time to relax. Where social conscience wasn’t necessarily needed, but often taken to simply out of respect for their fellow seaman.

The door to the meeting room opened suddenly then, Finn leading the way with Buffy trailing closely behind him. When the blonde captain saw Finn’s first and second, she threw them both a grin and strode purposely towards the group circled around the barrel donated by The Initiative’s crew.

“I see Faith is guarding the brew with her usual steadfast determination.” Buffy smiled at the brunette.

“Of course, wouldn’t want these guys trying to sneak in a taste before you.” Faith said and tipped her head towards her companions in a quick motion.

Riley turned his eyes to the shorter captain with visions of the last time the blonde took in a few pints more then a man his size would have dared. “She’s kidding, right?”

Buffy’s stomach churned at the idea. “She’s kidding.”

Spike studied the interaction of them all. Saw that Woods was nowhere in sight. Most likely aboard The Initiative, and how easily Faith fell into a flirting match with the men from the ship only a few meters away. How Willow easily spoke to all of them, and how familiar Buffy was with the other men, especially the other captain.

These people had a history. It didn’t take much to see where the ties were for the captains though. They stood a bit further apart then the others did, but once they joined in the conversation and Willow tried to coax wanted information from the broader male leader of the visiting crew, everyone was relaxed and smiling, sending veiled innuendoes of stories he may or may not someday hear for himself.

He nodded and laughed at the times that seemed appropriate, taking in what he could. He was the odd man out, new to all, but he learned early on that knowing more about who you were dealing with was always a good idea, and listening was the best way to get that knowledge, and so he did just that. Right up until Riley looked him dead on.

“So, Spike is it?” Finn asked.

William nodded.

“It looked as though we interrupted the challenges.” He smiled wryly, knowing full well that that was exactly what had happened. He’d been able to make out the lights that would normally have been dimmed, unless Buffy had been going through the ritual he’d seen and experienced himself first hand.

When Spike merely smirked, the broad man continued. “And how were they going?’

Buffy coughed unexpectedly which made Riley turn his head from the stranger to his former lover with a curious look on his face. Then he understood what had caught the man of guard. “Ah, I see.” He turned back to the new member of The Watcher. “You were up against the killer here.” He said motioning his head towards Buffy and smiling. “Good thing we interrupted then. Nothing’s worse then having this girl best you. She doesn’t even have the common decency to gloat.

“Just as well, looks like I was on my way to watching over the linguists as it was.”

“Oh.” Riley commented flatly then looked the man up and down. “You are a bit small for the work.”

Spike looked ready to reply, but didn’t get a chance.

“He was doing quite well actually.” His captain offered. “Some more,” She struggled for the proper adjective for a second before continuing. “Primal moves. Not trained but he has a good instinct and speed. With a bit of exercise I could see him being one of our more formidable members.”

Riley was surely impressed by the woman’s words and again addressed Spike. “That’s high praise from this one.”

William first scrutinized the man, then the woman. “Well we were interrupted.” He let the sentence hang there.

“Captain.” All conversation held and Xander scurried across the planks that were strapped in place so the crews could easily transfer themselves and anything acquired from one ship to the other. He walked up to them and saw the strange looks passing between William and Buffy before he went on. “Buffy, I hate to break up the reunion, but we’d better cut this short. The winds are changing and if we’re to meet our rendezvous…”

Buffy looked to the heavens as though the stars twinkling would confirm or deny her first mate’s words, then nodded. “Thanks Xander. I’d hardly noticed.”

She extended her arm to Riley Finn and the two captains gripped forearms “Captain Finn, I do appreciate the information.”

“As always, a pleasure.” He said and embraced her quickly before nodding at her and letting his eyes linger on hers for a moment longer then he would have had it been any other member of the crew. He quickly brought his fingers to his lips and let loose a shrill whistle, giving notice to his men that they were leaving.

~~`~~

The sendoff was short, and once again The Watcher moved with purpose, much of the crew settling down for the evening. The barrel left by the crew of The Initiative was nearly emptied and although there was a lull aboard, no one was willing to go to bed until the interrupted challenge was decided.

“No offence but she had you.” Parker voiced among the crowd gathering to discuss the matter.

Larry stood arms crossed listening before he chimed in. “But he was up and moving. It wasn’t over.”

“That’s true.” Woods commented. “And he’s quick. It was still possible for him to gain on hit count.” He stated giving the blonde standing idly by a quick nod.

Spike stood aside, figuring he’d earned the right to fight alongside the more experienced pirates, but with the full realization that it was in no way up to him. His performance was going to have to stand on its own. The other option was another battle. And to be quite honest, after the day he’d had he wasn’t sure he’d be up to it.

Even with the healing Willow provided a body could only take so much, and right now his body was screaming for some rest. Not to mention the nose he was sure could be broken, one of his eyes was now sporting a redness that would become a black eye very soon. That is if Willow decided not to help him out this time. And the ache in his calves from spinning kicks and leaps to avoid attack were not doing much better.

“The rules clearly state that if one member is unable to complete the trials then he is not to be considered until the next challenges.” Jonathan recited.

Andrew shook his head at the statement. “But it wasn’t Spike’s fault, and the captain didn’t finish either.”

Faith grinned. “So who’s gonna tell Buffy that she can’t be the captain anymore? After all, what’s good for the goose-“

With a raised hand Xander interrupted her sentence. “No one is even suggesting that.” He gave the smirking brunette a shake of his head and continued. “Look, as far as I’m concerned Will is more then able to handle himself.” The murmur of agreement came from them all. “But the fact is it’s got to be Buff’s call.”

“Seem’s hardly fair.” Parker added and saw the looks of death thrown in his direction. “I’m just saying since she’d have to admit defeat, and we all know how the captain can be about loosing.”

All eyes shifted to Faith.

“Hey, no one told me throwing her off this floating antique was against the rules. And we were just sparring.”

Spike quirked an eyebrow hoping to catch the rest of that story at another time.

Xander sighed. “Considering it’s the usual punishment for disloyalty, we thought it would be understood.”

“For now,” Willow spoke up. “Let’s just stick to the matter at hand. Buffy’s reasonable, she knows he’s got what it takes now, and from what I heard I personally would rather have Spike fighting then cowering in the lower decks.”

“Hey!”

A pair of voices protested and Willow gave a chagrinned frown to the translators. “Sorry.”

“So we are all in agreement then?” Woods asked. “Spike fights with us.”

The crew looked from one another nodding and studying the reaction of the others.

Once the unanimous understanding was reached Willow looked to Xander. “So, we just need to tell Buffy, right? Make sure she get’s that the crew feels comfortable about it.”

“Yeah.” He answered and looked over his shoulder to the door that lead to the captain’s quarters. “If she ever comes back out again.”

~~`~~

Buffy wiped a tear from her cheek as she studied the obviously quickly drawn sketch. It was more than she’d thought Riley would have gotten. More information then she could have hoped for. One more piece of the puzzle fell into place.

She read over the carefully kept notes her former lover’s contact had been able to gather. The comings and going of their subject were detailed and thorough. Age, height, among other things were outlined along with the future that would most likely play out for the person under observation.

“Well educated and living a confined life.” She read the words out loud. “Instructed on proper society and well dressed.” She skipped forward some and skimmed unimportant facts. “Travel is unauthorized due to orders given by the anonymous benefactor.” She let the corners of her mouth quirk and nodded. “Well of course they are.” She said with plain understanding.

The knock that brought her from her musings was not unexpected, but it was an interruption she really didn’t care for at the moment.

With due haste the papers were laid in the top drawer of her desk and she answered her door to see not Xander and Willow, but her entire crew outside her door all looking quite anxious. “Yes?”

“We’ve um, we came to a decision.” Xander stuttered slightly. “That is if you are in agreement.”

Buffy couldn’t help but smile at her friend’s discomfort at having to be the one to talk for the crew. “Oh yeah?”

“Buffy.” Willow piped up. “I mean, Captain.” She cleared her throat. “We think, that is, we all talked about it and we agree that Spike is more suited for fighting in a raid then waiting for it to be over.” She tried to explain and when Buffy didn’t have a quick response she quickly followed with. “Alright?”

She really hadn’t had time to give it much thought, but Buffy had already come to the same conclusion. Seeing the man in question standing just behind the others Buffy moved through the crowd that easily parted as she passed him by. For some reason she didn’t feel like making things easy on him.

She seemed to be sizing him up all over again. Walking around him slowly as though she was deciding on exactly how fresh a piece of meat was after a butchering.

Spike eyed her movements, trying to decide if he should say something or if being quiet while she took him in was the better choice. Of course being quiet and hoping for the best was rarely his way, so he decided on the first of his two choices. “Well?”

She stopped again in front of him. “Are you willing to do whatever is necessary?”

He choked slightly, images of slicing into a man and warm blood pooling around him. Dying for these people he barely knew, for this woman who generally made very little sense to him. Then he looked over to the people who’d offered him a place to live and be his own man. Whomever that happened to turn out to be. An easy camaraderie had formed with most of them and he made his decision. “Right then, yeah. I’ll do what’s needed to keep this ship and its crew safe.”

Buffy let the grin on her face grow and spread until it reached her eyes. She knew full well how he’d feel the next day when he heard, or rather saw what was going to be necessary for their next plunder. “Good.” And with that she spun on her heel and headed back to her chamber. “Be ready.” And the door shut only after giving Xander a quick wink.

A bit stunned, William looked back at the faces of his shipmates. “That’s it?”

He heard a chuckle resonate from the first mate. “Not even close.”
End Notes:
I understand alot of people have proplems with Parker, on several levels. Let me just say that although on the show he was a complete ass, and yes, I still think that it was a lesson for Buffy, I always kinda liked Parker as a character. So although it may seem odd to keep him around, he's gonna be handy later, at least for the story. And yes, he bested Spike, but Spike was winded from Woods, so .. um.. yeah. Love you all. Kisses, and have a great weekend.
CH 8 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Ok, I would call the previous 7 chapters the setup. Now the true adventures begins, and I once again want to thank everyone for the comments and reviews. They make me think quite a bit about the set up and the plot, but while i appriciate suggestions for characters I am afraid that as far as they go, it is set. Just trust that I love Spike and Buffy together, and i love putting the entire cast in really bad spots. I hope this does not detour you from reading.
William had fitful dreams the entire night. He’d been completely unable to get the deep feeling of foreboding from his mind. Something was very wrong, and he knew that he was going to hate it when the truth came to light.

The morning meal was filled with excitement as the crew discussed the raid that would be happening any day now.

He’d actually expected a more solemn atmosphere with the events just in the horizon, but apparently this bunch enjoyed not only the spoils but the battles that got them what they were after. The only thing that truly disconcerted him in the kitchen though, was the odor coming from a boiling pot in which Willow was dropping sliced roots and powders he couldn’t put names to.

“Come on Spike.” Xander called from the stairs leading down into the belly of the boat. “We’ve got some work to do and I need to fill you in on what’s going to happen.” The dark haired man finished with a mischievous grin, and turned knowing the newcomer would follow.

Without a word Spike stood from the group he’d been eating with and walked in the dimly lit entrance to what looked like a wall, except he was sure it shouldn’t have been there. Xander pulled a board out of it’s niche and pushed it up just enough that a handle was revealed. A simple rot iron cylinder that was pulled back and allowed a door to be opened, but was obviously hidden from those who didn’t know it existed.

“Brilliant.” Spike commented and peered around the jam to see a hidden room.

“Comes in handy. It’s where the translators go during raids. Worst comes to worse they are the last people we want taken hostage. Too much information in their noggins. You know?”

Spike shook his head not understanding.

Xander pointed out the inside of the door and its lack of a handle. “Once you’re in, you’re in until you’re let out.”

“Don’t trust them then?”

“Actually it was Jonathan’s idea. He’s a little guy, and he knows his limits and told me straight forward that if he was tortured he just couldn’t trust himself to keep quiet.”

“That so?”

Xander first lit, then turned the oil lamp in the far right up so the flame filled the room with an orange glow then moved to another in the far left and repeated the process. Soon the tiny space had enough illumination to get a good view.

Spike looked about the small area. If absolutely necessary he supposed the entire crew could huddle in hiding down here, but doubted anyone would volunteer for that in the space provided.

One side of the area was stacked high with crates and trunks. The back wall was covered with parchment tacked into the walls and lined with a long table with feather quills and ink along with scrolls scattered haphazardly on the surface. The remaining wall had what seemed to be spare bunks with older ratty blankets he supposed would do in a pinch.

“Not the most comfortable place in the world,” Xander commented and moved towards the trunks easily taking one down and unlatched it. “But the only ones who really use it are the ones that don’t join in on raids.”

Spike walked over to the tables not paying much attention to what Xander was doing but still listening. “They do their work down here then?”

Xander started going through the contents of the trunk but looked up to see Spike moving the papers around, trying to read the words that had been scribbled down. “Yeah, it’s quiet down here. And once those boys get started they really don’t like being disturbed.”

Spike nodded absentmindedly and gave up trying to read the badly scrawled script. He turned to see Xander holding up two very stylish dresses with embroidered lace and finely decorated skirts. “I think the green would go better with your eyes.” The blonde said sarcastically and gave a short chuckle.

“Yeah, I usually go with the blue but I think you’re right. You take the blue.” Xander said and tossed the silken dress the short distance to Spike who barely caught it as the words penetrated his mind.

Spike stood there holding the garment trying to understand what the first mate was playing at. “Look, I’ve heard the sea can make a man lonely but there’s no way I signed up for this particular duty.”

Xander always got a kick out of this part of explaining how things worked on this ship. “You said anything, you’d do it.”

A look of pure horror crossed Spike’s face before he threw his shoulders back and stood his ground. “I’d sooner take that swim.”

Xander was impressed, and decided to let his blonde friend off the hook more easily then he’d let most. “It’s not all as bad as you think, it’s a bit of trickery on our part. For getting aboard The Premiere,” Xander began explaining.

~~`~~

Buffy stood in the galley’s doorway for a moment clutching the drawing in her hand, still not sure if her plan was brilliant or moronic. Either way it was simple and if she was lucky at all Hank Summers would have one more ghost haunting him. It was that final thought that gave Buffy the inspiration to walk into the galley and to the kitchen, “Hey Wills, how’s it coming?”

The red head dropped a dried ashen root into the bubbling pot then looked over her shoulder quickly smiling. “So far so good. I’m nearly done. Just two more things and-“ she plucked up a handful of green leaves the size of pebbles from one of the small pouches lying on the table beside she then spoke silently as they dropped into the mixture, floating on the surface then seemingly being sucked downward by an inexplicable force. “Once sight seen , seen sight of heed.” She closed her eyes and repeated then opened and watched the liquid’s boil stop immediately.

Buffy was familiar with the process by now, but it never ceased to draw her interest. How this woman had been able to gain all this knowledge, and what power she must wield. It almost frightened her sometimes.

Willow spun grinning. “All done.” She said and gave a mock salute. “Captain.”

“Well then I have one small request,” Buffy began and unrolled the drawing. “Brown hair, fairly pale but, I’m not sure, with a glow?”

“A glow?”

“She’s a kid, innocent and happy. I’m not sure if ‘glow’ is the right word.” Buffy quickly explained.

Willow looked on in confusion. “This is different, Buffy. What’s going on?”

The captain shook here head. “I can’t say, not now. I promise though, after this raid, I’ll explain everything, to all of you.”

This didn’t calm the witch at all. “Buffy, if something is going on-?”

“Don’t worry. No one is in any danger. Well, no more then usual anyway.” She tried to reassure.

Willow hesitated, looked again at the picture in her hands, then to Buffy. There was something in the girl‘s face, she couldn’t place what, but something. A moment passed with only the rhythmic echoes of waves crashing against the hull then Willow found herself nodding her assent. “Alright.”

Buffy smiled. “Good, thanks.”

“You’ll need to help, I’ll need more details if it’s this important.”

Buffy followed her back into the kitchen describing the glamour she was hoping the red head could achieve.

~~`~~

The crew was in wait. Oz had sighted the incoming vessel, grand as it was and set to defend it’s cargo. “I saw 10 on deck, armed. Some sailors were at position on the canons. Looks like they knew we were coming.”

Buffy nodded. “I was counting on them knowing. That’s why we do ‘The Demure’ this time.”

She turned to her men and told them to get ready. Slowly the men filed into the conference room, and the ladies headed towards her personal chambers.

Once inside the ladies adorned themselves with finery that Buffy rarely pulled out of her personal stash. Hair was held back with jeweled combs carefully carved from shells and molded from gold.

Each girl had their personal choice of daily clothing and each discarded it for this day. Fluff and silk that all had happily avoided was tightened and secured around them.

Faith wore deep maroon with an elegance she seemed to have pulled out of thin air. Willow and her emerald bodice were breathtaking. Buffy was the last one prepared in baby blue with a white lace draped over her bodice that contrasted the other two girls in the hopes of drawing attention of a trusted crew member.

Buffy looked them over and gave Willow a nod. At that, the red head began a chant, pulling out three vials from her normal attire now lying on Buffy’s bed. One was marked as to assure it would be drunk by the captain, whose concoction had been specially prepared. The three girls downed the drink with a distasteful scrunch of their noses.

“One of these days Will, you are going to have to find a way to make this stuff taste better.” Buffy said after shaking her head a bit hoping the taste would somehow be jolted from her mouth.

The Ex-whore eyed the miniature glass tube. “Come on Buffy. I’ve had a lot worse in my mouth.”

Buffy and Willow both eyed Faith with curious looks.

“You don’t want to know.” The brunette said honestly.

Buffy only closed her eyes a moment before looking to Willow. “We ready?”

She nodded, and began the chant. “This ship, enchanted, others visions granted, but for the,” she paused checking with Buffy for confirmation. When she saw the quirk of a smile she continued. “The girl whose entrance I’ve granted.” She took a deep calming breath. “Croshell.”

A shiver went through each of them, but they all remained the same. Buffy ran to her door and threw it open, then looked back to the ladies. “Willow, you are a genius.” The girls came out following their captain.

The witch took in a breath from the shock of her own work. The entire vessel was a shambles. Smoke filtered up from the sides and the sails were torn and scorched. The remnants of thick cloth flapped against the wind like broken wings, loose and weak.

“Nice one Willow.” Faith agreed nodding and carefully stepped over what looked to have once been part of the mast.

All at once the door to the meeting room opened and a slew of women came filing out. Not exactly the most beautiful bunch of women, but considering The Premier had been out for quite some time it wouldn’t matter. Xander came up to her first with a grin. “So, how do we look Buff?”

She still wanted to laugh every time. Each of the boys looked much like themselves, but in her eyes and Willows and Faith’s as well, it was like meeting a twin sister of each of the men aboard The Watcher. While still tall and broad the ship’s first mate’s features took on a more feminine quality and so had the bodice of the gown he wore. Full round breasts pushed forward giving no clue as to his real gender.

Over her shoulder were the rest of the men. They acted like children tugging on their own clothing and each others. She spied Larry who couldn’t seem to keep his skirt from getting caught on something, and Parker who was carefully smoothing out his sleeves. The others were more or less just waiting and rambling about how uncomfortable they were. All except Oz, who found Willow and was having a calm conversation with the witch.

Buffy suddenly realized William was nowhere to be seen. “What happened to Spike?” She asked her first mate.

“Oh, yeah.” Xander cleared his throat. “Well, he says, he’s not coming out.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “He says that, does he?”

“Yes Ma’am.”

Buffy sighed. “Guess I’ll have to have a talk with him. You get the men spread out. Don’t. Touch. Anything.” She peered back at the fast approaching ship that had obviously changed its course enough to help the seemingly desperate ship. “And get Andrew and Jonathan stowed away.”

“Right,” He turned and dashed off, while Buffy headed in to talk to Spike.

As soon as she entered the meeting room she had to stifle a laugh. There he was, or she was rather, leaned back in her chair of all things, legs spread and arms crossed.

He looked up, seeing her white gloved hand covering her mouth. “Looks bloody ridiculous dun’nit?”

Buffy shut the door behind her and stepped into the room carefully. “William, it is only because no lady, of any stature, would sit upon a chair in such a manner.” Buffy said with a lilt in her practiced speaking.

Her formality was enough to get his attention. He took a longer gaze at her and without prompt, slowly stood up with his eyes raking over her as though he’d found water in the dry hot desert.

When Buffy saw him rise, she assumed it was because he respected her position on the ship and so she began her own version of a pep-talk. She explained the reasons for this type of situation. The costumes were needed. Also Buffy went on with that, despite his discomfort now, he would be enjoying the fruits of their combined labor. To do so all he had to do was wait and be ready, and then fight if it was needed.

She paced back and forth during her speech and all he could do was stare as the gowns made the most lovely sounds when they brushed around her. Then she turned and faced him and continued talking, and his eyes drew up over her breasts, up her long graceful neck and to her mouth, to her ever moving mouth.

It was then he snapped up out of his revere and looked to her eyes. Hazel eyes with enough green to lock you in. He had to stop himself from loosing his thoughts in her eyes. His brain suddenly snapped with a painful pinch back into motion and he blurted out “Ye’, got it Captain. Being a sod is all.” He quickly made his departure and headed out in search of the other men.

He didn’t make it very far, only about 2 steps from the threshold when he stopped dead in his tracks and surveyed the destruction. Buffy came up behind him as he looked over the bodies, just a few, that lay about. “Part of Red’s trick of the eyes?” He asked eyes wide.

“Yeah.” Buffy said quietly. “Looks solid, feels solid, but it’s not there. Just remember that.”

He nodded in silence.

“It’s about the only way I can stand seeing The Watcher in this condition. It’s just not real.” She shared.

There was a pause while Buffy eyed the ship floating towards them now only minutes from meeting them. “Go on and find Xander. He’ll make sure your armed.”

Spike stole a look back at her, then headed for Xander who stood near the steps down into the ship.

Buffy met Willow and Faith standing by the rail and began waving to the ship coming to help them. Arms stretched high above her head, wailing like a scared child. It wasn’t hard. She easily pulled up memories and emotions from her first true fear of the boat she now called home
.
~~`~~

“What’s that Lindsey?”

“Ladies, sir. The compliment seems to be female only.” The young man handed over his scope and let the captain see for himself.

Captain Rayne’s vision targeted the bridge of the nearly destroyed vessel smoldering in the distance. Billows of black smoke spread as the wind carried it westward. Ash had gathered at the bow and several bodies could be seen strewn about the visible portions of the deck.

In a swift practiced motion Ethan brought the scope down and closed it in the palm of his hand. “Correct our course to intercept.” He scrutinized the vision far off with his naked eye and added with a turn of his head, gaze serious as he spoke to his first mate. “And be sure to remind the men we are a crew of gentlemen.”

“Yes, sir,” Lindsey nodded and turned to distribute orders.

Ethan reviewed the situation, watching as the black smoke turned a strange blue hue rising towards the clouds. It wasn’t the most unlikely sight and certainly not the first time he’d seen a ship barley afloat after a hit by pirates. The women aboard seemed quite flustered while moving about in haggard groups. Something had definitely happened. The men had been slaughtered but the women…? He couldn’t fathom why they had been left, let alone alive. It was a signal for him to stay on guard.

There was something else, nagging in his brain. He felt as though he should know, now, and easily what it was. Like a word on the tip of your tongue, a name, an adjective, something he’d learned. Possibly recently, but for the life of him he couldn’t recall what it was.

Once again he was gazing through the monocular towards the ship. Women were still walking about seemingly with little purpose. All but three who were standing against the rails waving their arms in hopes of gaining attention the black and blue cloud above them might not have drawn.

And then he felt the familiar tug in the boards bellow signaling his ship’s change of heading. With the same motion that secured the eyepiece he was soon grasping a compact scope and striding towards his men now gathering the plank used to depart or board the ship at dock. They were preparing to try to use it to more easily board the strange vessel of woman and hopefully provide assistance.

~~`~~

“My goodness, it’s so heavy!” Willow said a bit too loudly as she positioned the plank connecting the two bobbing ships. Each end was tied down and jammed into place as best could be done before a group sailors from the transport ship Premiere, began crossing to the seemingly helpless women.

Buffy glanced at Willow giving her an eye roll and tried not to laugh. The red head was always a little jittery when they first began execution of this particular plan, all 2 times before. But they’d decided on the first try that the ladies should be the first to greet whoever came across, just in case something went off with Willow’s glamour.

But once again, everything seemed to be holding out well. Buffy could tell several of the crewmen on the rescue ship were eyeing her crewmen, which was just something else that made her have to work hard not to let out a fit of giggles.

Faith was doing her part. She always seemed to have a natural charisma with every man she met. It was a talent Buffy supposed she’d picked up due to her previous career, but it was useful. Buffy watched on as the dark haired former whore got herself held while she spilled tears in the Captain of The Premier’s arms.

It was then she realized what looked to be the first mate of the other captain was trying to talk to her. “It’s alright Miss, I know this all must be a shock.” He was saying. Buffy had been paying so much attention to how smoothly everything was going she’d completely forgotten her part in it all.

This seemed to have worked in her advantage though, for the man currently consoling her was under the impression he was trying to bring this obviously traumatized girl out of her trauma. “We’ll just need to get you to the safety of The Premiere, Miss. You’ll be just fine, on my honor.”

Buffy was staring at him now, the face of her alternate personality of the fearful weaker sex firmly in place. She quickened her breath and began to look around as though seeing her ship in a shambles for the first time. “I don’t know what happened. One moment we were discussing preparations for the evening meals, the men were insisting on serving us some sort of gruel that could not possibly pass for sustenance,” She was explaining as the first mate slowly walked her across the tenuously shifting bridge, his arm around her waist and his free hand gripping hers as they walked. “And then, oh my goodness, it was all so, I can’t ,sire. Please don’t make me tell you.”

Lindsey could plainly see what had happened. The women were in a state of complete fear and the crew was slaughtered. How they had not sunk was beyond belief for the wood smoldered and burned all around.

He saw that most of the women had already been brought aboard, only a few stranglers who seemed to be less trusting of his well dressed comrades were on the burning transport. He lowered the girl down carefully and she gracefully sat on a barrel before dropping her head in her hands effectively hiding her face. “Of course Miss, you do not need to share it with me, at least not now. Firstly, we’ll make sure all of the survivors are brought across.

As he said this, he eyed one of the men having a particular problem with a blonde who seemed even less happy to be lead across the plank.

~~`~~

“I can bloody well do it myself.” Spike said, then realized that a woman would not speak like that. He quickly recovered. “I’m so sorry,” He tried to say in the most feminine way he could muster, trying to remember how the mistress of his former home had gotten her way when the master was less then giving. “I should never have used such language, but all of this terribleness. It can bring out such,” he tried to grasp the word he was looking for, but only came back to say. “Such terribleness.”

The stout sailor seemed to take his words well and simply tried again to put his arm around Spike’s trim and firm female waist.

With a resigning sigh Spike allowed the action and walked across the makeshift bridge feeling very much the poofter. The trip seemed to take longer then the wait for this plunder had. Each step he took was like his masculinity being pealed from his skin.

Once across he quickly freed himself from the grasp of the little man who’d acted as his guide then smiled while trying to thank him, “ever so.” Then backed away waiting for the signal. His eyes roamed over the somewhat familiar female versions of his mates, and then to the ones who actually were born with the gender they were displaying.

Willow had moved off to the side with two sailors, and Oz was predictably at her side while getting the once over by one of their rescuers. It was a sight that brought a chuckle up to his throat. Spike contained it and eyed Faith, who seemed to have procured more then one admirer including the Captain of The Premiere. Xander, Parker and Larry were standing among them at the ready.

He found Buffy last, still sitting near the framed opening binding the board connecting the ships. No one had moved them yet, too distracted by the numerous women out in the middle of nowhere. “She’d better get the show on the road.” He mumbled to himself just as he saw the strangest thing.

There was a girl, a young girl, now sitting in Buffy’s place. Dark brown hair now sat on his captain’s head and when she finally lifted her eyes and dropped her hands in her lap he saw that it was most definitely not Buffy. His smile grew broad and he stood up letting the hidden dagger slide out from the cuff of his gown. After the walk across to this ship, and the ridiculous outfit he was forced to wear, not to mention the fact he was sure the stocky escort he had was trying to get his hand a little higher then he thought was appropriate during the crossing of the bridge, had he actually been a female…. Yes, a spot of violence was in order. Before he started considering why he cared about that last bit.

Everything happened at once. One minute Lindsey looked down to see an unfamiliar dark haired girl, blinked, and it was once again the blonde, followed by two words uttered quietly from his mouth, “What the…?”

The next moment Faith was complaining of the terrible pain in her leg and was offering to show the ogling men as she pulled up one side of her skirt, and the next moment each man had a knife to his throat as Faith moved and gripped the captain around the neck while simultaneously pulling the dagger from her garter and holding it to his jugular.

The unsuspecting audience who had been eagerly listening to Faith’s every word and had anticipated a lovely view of her legs soon found that the women they had brought across each had a hidden weapon that was now threatening to spill their blood.

Lindsey turned at the sounds of yelps and words questing what was happening. It only took him a second to begin to react, reaching for the single shot pistol . His hand was stopped just before his fingers reached the holster, by Buffy’s grip which twisted him around as though they were having a twirl in a dance, only she was leading.

His pistol was soon overboard and Buffy was brandishing a knife now positioned so that with one movement he would have a gushing wound in an amazingly bad place. Right across his throat.
End Notes:
Weeeeeee. To Be Continued.
CH 9 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Sorry this is essentially a week late. It just felt unfinished. I don't know what else to say.
Captain Rayne found himself in an unusual situation.

A lovely young woman, whom he’d oddly felt an instant attraction to, was now in control of whether he lived or died. And he was quite sure she didn’t care either way. In a dull, numb voice he confirmed what was painfully evident now. “I’ll presume you are not lost women, in need of assistance then?”

“That wouldn’t be quite right,” Faith nodded over to Xander. “Zeppo, I think I could use some of that assistance.”

“Already on it.” He said and tossed her a length of rope she deftly caught just before it hit the captive captain in the face. “Nice catch.” Xander said with a grin.

“Thanks.” Faith grinned and began tying the man’s hands behind him, always careful to keep the knife at the ready. It was a slow procedure but as she finished she saw all the crew of her ship had been able to secure their prisoners as well.

The grumbling prisoners were gathered around masts and in short order they were all bound by Larry, who’s large size was never really hidden within the confines of his burgundy frock.

Buffy came up last, watching as Lindsey was tied up next to his captain. “I always say a captain and his first mate should be able to depend on each other. You get tired sir,” She directed her comment to Ethan, “He could always tell you a story. He has a very soothing voice.” She winked at Lindsey and turned in a swirl of blue to her crew.

“Zeppo?” She asked and stopped in front of the group arms crossed..

He nodded to her, his imaginary curls bouncing against his face. “All set. Woods is bringing his along. Seems this one wasn’t exactly what you might call a gentleman.”

The Slayer crinkled her brow and then saw the motion to her left and watched as Woods, in all his yellow silk elegance, drag a man by the arm and tossed him towards the rest of the bound compliment. “Teach you to get personal with a lady.” He seemed to be continuing a tirade long ago started. “And you dare to name yourself as a gentleman?”

For the ‘gentleman’s’ part, he seemed to have been scared enough at some point to let his bladder go. His trousers a shade darker between his legs and a wide eyed fearful expression covering his red face. He was jabbering something that just couldn’t be made out with the amounts of spittle pushing it’s way forward between his lips and flying from his tongue.

Buffy took note that no blood had been shed. Both her man and the urinating wonder were without wounds, but apparently Woods and his high standing bun had been insulted.

Once the wayward crewmate had secured his personal sailor to a mast he joined the group who were all leveling an unusual gaze at him. Woods on his part stood in his place, a bright white toothed grin now gleaming back at his crewmates.

“What?” He asked in honest innocence. “He tried to,” He took a deep breath and let his shoulders slump. “He mentioned something about kissing a Nubian beauty.” His eyes closed and a definite cold chill caused him to shiver.

Faith passed her way towards her man. “Gotta say, even like this I wouldn’t mind a bit more privacy.”

He gave her a pointed look but she just smiled up at him saucily and winked.

“Ok then.” Buffy announced in her best ‘We will pretend we didn’t see that’ voice and ordered look outs and guards while she went down to the holds.

Each time they did this, her mind went back to the frightened girl huddled in the dark so many years ago. It was now her habit to walk 360 degrees around any and all bundled crates. She couldn’t help it, even after having The Watcher to herself. She always thought she might find a fearful blonde with a tearstained face crouching in the dust.

Of course she knew what she would find on the transport. A Payload. Plus the usual personal orders of cargo. After a less then15 minute perusal, her inner mathematician worked out that they would be taking almost half again as much as she had guaranteed. Not bad, not bad at all.

With a smile she headed back up the steps leading from the holds to an anxious crew still in wait on deck. Her eyes gleamed as she looked over her men. “Take her over, it’ll be one hell of a party!”

And the yells ran through the misfit crew. Yelps and hollers and then a stumbling line down to the unfamiliar depths of The Premier.

The Slayer couldn’t help but grin as she watched her men, her crew, her friends go down in anticipation of the treasure within. They were efficient. In no time the cargo would be well stowed and they would be off.

She let her gaze fall back to her smoldering ship. Oddly it was in the exact same state it had been for nearly one hour. No one ever seemed to take into account how quickly wood burned. It should have been long ago sunk. Yet these men of The Premier had come to save them.

Weren’t they sweet?

She took the opportunity to duck into what was obviously this captain’s quarters and began her usual search. It took her no time at all to find the secret compartment that held all of the orders for this ship and several others. Plans, defense strategies, and even a warning to watch for unusual instances or trickery by unfamiliar crafts. She chuckled as she pulled a clean parchment from the captain’s own desk and jotted down whatever she could find of relevance.

Before she headed out, she stashed some other inconsequential notations that were laying out in plain sight. If and when Johnston’s people found their hidden orders in one piece while other things were missing, they would most likely believe that the secrets were safe.

This strategy had been tried and true for Ripper, and had held true for her on most excursions onto a Johnston’s transport. The fools never seemed to come up with more creative hiding nooks than a trick drawer on the back of the captain’s desk, an indiscretion she knew Riley had changed within days of receiving The Initiative.

Tucking all of her papers within her bodice once the inks had dried well, Buffy threw open the door and let it fall closed as she watched the first mate trying to talk to his captain.

She took slow strides to the second mast still smiling. The captain was obviously conspiring with his first mate. Some devilishly evil plan to break loose no doubt. She supposed she should be worried, but to be quite frank her first impression of Captain Rayne left something to be desired.

If there were anyone on this crew she thought might actually be a problem it was the First Mate. There was something about him that made her senses stay on guard. And even now it was the fairer haired one who seemed to be eyeing her and quickly finished whatever sentence he’d been saying.

They were quite engrossed and the captain of The Premiere didn’t notice her until she was well upon them. But The First Mate of The Premier, who was still watching her as she approached, was clearly not pleased with the sight.

“You’re going to kill us now then?” Lindsey asked flatly.

Buffy merely chuckled, then composed herself. “If we’d wanted you dead, you would be.”

The Captain seemed to lighten a shade, but Lindsey didn’t falter. “Then this is it? The Watcher?”

The question had been asked, but never so quickly. It actually caught her off guard a moment. “Well,” She began and looked to the captain who seemed to be giving her another look. “As a matter of fact, yes.”

Buffy said and smiled at him with a perfect pearl toothed grin.

Lindsey followed her path as she seemed to take a few steps in random directions every few words. The sun however was just low enough to make it difficult to keep his gaze fixed without staring into the lowering flaming globe. The young brunette girl seemed to flash at random in between Buffy’s true face and the glare of the sun.

“I’m going insane.” He heard his captain admit when once again the pale young visage of a teen appeared.

Lindsey was handling things a bit better, suddenly understanding a few things. “We’d gotten warnings of female crews, but not ones in distress. I thought I was reliving a memory. Something familiar.”

“De ja vous?” She supplied to the squinting man.

He looked at her again, studying her intently just as her appearance shifted again to the blonde. He shook his head a bit. “But you aren’t this Slayer person. Or you are, but...” He glared now, upset that his words failed him. “None of you are as you seem.” He glanced in the direction of the still billowing smoke and wood amazingly keeping afloat. “None of you are.” He said and again looked back to see the dark haired girl. “Not your looks, or your ship.”

A curdling in his stomach began to take his breath away, and Lindsey thought that for the first time in his life he may suffer from sea-sickness. He’d always known ships, nearly born on one, and this new uneasiness swayed him as he realized nothing here was as it should be. “But,” He began and slowly brought his eyes up to the now blonde woman in front of him.

It took him a full breath before he could finish his question. “But how can this be?”

Captain Rayne seemed to have settled and was looking back and forth between the smoldering cinders of a plumaged craft, and back to the female who couldn’t decide what guise to wear. “If this is The Watcher, then where is this Slayer? Summers had just sent the report.”

The Slayer blanched at the mention of her surname. She quickly looked away from the confused mate to the captain.

Rayne’s eyes squinted a bit. “You remind me of, a long dead woman.” He said. “It is your trickery isn’t it? The rumors.” He seemed to think on his own words as Buffy heard her crew moving again behind her.

True to form, her crew was hauling the cargo now. And she was entertaining the crew of the ship she was robbing, although not quite in the usual manor. Information, some new, was being shared with her. All the sudden she wanted to laugh at the strangeness of her life, but Ethan was still talking. “He’s looking for you, you know?”

Again The Slayer’s eyes widened with partially faked shock. “What? Really?”

Ethan nodded, very confident of himself, suddenly feeling he had something that may shift some power back into his hands. A helpful change for him, especially considering his position of being captive on his own boat.

“Every captain, crewmate and docks is looking for you. A price he has on The Wather now.” He grinned with his information spilling out. “More money then has been offered before. At least from a private party.” He continued, now sure he had her attention he seemed to be able to communicate as though he were a gentleman once again standing in the presence of some underling.

“Mr. Summers spoke to me personally. Fifty thousand, on your head.”

Buffy stood stone cold in her high priced slippers.

“Bloody lot of good it did, getting the personal up and ups from the boss.” She heard come from behind her and turned enough to see psudo Spike-ette at her defense. “I mean, you just heard about the ploy and then decided, what? Couldn’t possibly happen to you,? Some tasty bits here if we happen to be all ‘sweet an innocent?”

Buffy couldn’t help but smile at that.

“Wankers.” Was spouted under his breath before she heard him tread off.

After a beat, The Slayer held up a knife, dull and used from the captives’ own stash below in the hold. “Here’s the situation my boys, I really have no love of killing you, at least not now. I’m going to leave this behind. It may take a good slosh from a wave beating at your sides, but eventually one of you should be able to reach it. Or you’ll have loosened the ropes. Either way, no death. But we are liberating you of your heavy load. Seems hardly fair a craft such as this to be burdened, don’t you agree?”

She paced again, watching the captors, watching Oz as he kept a long view out for anyone who might interrupt them. She spied Wood at the bow doing the same thing. Willow was keeping an account of the crates as they passed quickly. They had a system now that worked very well. Buffy noted Devon and Xander going by, they were most likely nearly finished. It always amazed her what hard work could accomplish in such a short amount of time.

“Have you nothing to say for yourself?”

The question was asked by the captain, and drew Buffy’s attention. “About what?”

“About this debauchery!”

She watched him strain as he yelled the accusation. She waited as Willow headed across the plank, signaling that all that could be carried off the ship had been.

Another final sweep of her eyes over the bridge let her know that all of her crew had finished. Oz and Woods fell behind Willow nodding at their captain as they passed.

With a small nod back to her men she turned back to the red faced men at her feet. Rather it was the hot sun or the anger they were obviously both feeling towards her, she didn‘t know or care. With a shrug she smiled back at the trussed pair.

“Say hi to Mr. Summers for me.” She dropped the knife, letting the dull clank of metal bouncing on wood clear her senses.

Buffy stood on The Premier’s bridge waiting for a rope high on her ships mast to be tossed over, then she deftly cut the ties on the plank and began walking. She barely reached her ship when the bobbing caused the boards to fall and she made a leap for the bridge of The Watcher using a pull of the rope to guide her.

She swung her legs outstretched to land well on the rail and then took a small hop down to the deck. Her skirts were rumpled but still firmly attached to her gown. She turned and gave an arching wave “Ta for now boys.” Finishing with a mock salute, she strode determined towards her chambers. “Ladies, lets get these ridiculous costumes off.”

“Yes, please.” Willow agreed, and followed the blonde into the private room with the brunette smoothly striding behind and shutting the door.

The cargo happily now in their hold, Spike just looked about, and finally asked. “What about us?”

He felt Xander slap him on the shoulder and then heard a consolatory sigh. “We unfortunately, have to keep this garb on until the ships outta sight of the premier. All part of the spell. Can’t have one without the other.” He shook his head and Spike looked at him with shock.

“I really hate this place, I truly do.”

~~`~~

Several days later found Wesley rushing into Hank Summers’s office out of breath and gripping his side. “They’ve arrived.” He gasped out and repeated himself. “Sir, they have arrived finally.”

Summers stood up hands swiftly coming down on his desktop. “Rayne had better have an explanation for his indiscretion yet again.” His booming declaration filling the office.

The bold owner quickly fastened his waistcoat and grabbed the recently acquired cane with a lion’s head handle. It’s black sleek shaft with the silver tip clacked on the floor as he took each step.

Wesley followed the now irate Hank, steps swiftly pounding after the clacking through the halls out towards the entrance that lead to an awaiting carriage. The smaller man‘s entire body shook with worry at the anger of his boss. “I believe he has the only acceptable explanation Mr. Summers.”

All at once Mr. Summers stopped. Wesley had to right himself to avoid hitting the overbearing blonde in the back from the sudden halt in motion. Hank Summers stared down at his employee. “So he has arrived in a coffin then?”

With some shock on his face the underling answered. “No, his ship was raided.”

It was then that Hank spun, his cane nearly hitting the shin of his employee. “Was it that Slayer again?” He desperately asked, anger no longer filling his eyes, but near glee.

Wesley simply shook his head a little, for he had no clue.

Hank went without the carriage, now fueled by his excitement at having more news. The prospect of firing Rayne didn’t hurt either. He’d let that man get away with murder but this final failure would be the last of it.

As he walked towards the docks, Hank stepped into the hustle and bustle of the business district. The larger businessman forced his way through the crowd. Poor Wesley tried to stay as close as he could to Hank without actually grabbing his coattail and hanging on for dear life.

There were a few turns that passed store entrances and the random offshoot street heading towards the residential districts. Hank kept pushing people aside who dutifully excused themselves for being in his way. It was no time at all before they were standing at the pier, The Premier at the far end where a group of men were milling while the crew retold the story of their encounter.

The captain and first mate were speaking to a man taking notes and trying to get as many details as were fresh in the concerned captain‘s memory. He was frazzled and not looking forward to the confrontation sure to come from the owner. The very man now striding towards him.

“Rayne!” Hank yelled, effectively quieting the entire pier. All of the bodies within hearing distance turned toward the man with the cane. “Is it true? Were you raided by that damned Slayer again?”

Wesley tried to remind the excited man. “It wasn’t Captain Rayne in command during the previous raids, Mr. Summers.”

A large arm pushed Wesley back behind Hank again. “I know, I know.” Hank threw over his shoulder. “But was it him?” He asked Ethan once again, eyes baring down on the smaller man.”

The short man taking notes interrupted and set his quill aside on the makeshift desk that had been set up the moment the crew departed. “So far, sir, it seems as though it was a boat loaded down with women.” He leaned over the short table that had been set up and dipped the quill once again before scrolling a few more characters. “All kinds and they were all in on the heist.” The feathers on his quill flew around against a sharp breeze while he held the paper firm with his free hand. “And apparently one that can change her appearance at will.” He looked up at the now dumbstruck owner. “And everyone’s story says the same thing.”

~~`~~

“A-and a stow of fabrics.” Willow recounted smiling from ear to ear and bouncing on the captain‘s bed while laying on her stomach, using her hands to prop up her head. “I also think Xander mentioned herbs along with a few stones, but I don’t remember for sure.” she shook her head and frowned while trying to recall the short list in her head.

Buffy laughed at her friends hyperness. For some reason out of the whole crew it was always Willow that got the biggest rush over the merchandise liberated from a conquest. Sometimes Buffy thought it had to do with the redhead’s meager beginnings, but it really didn’t matter. She was always so amusing at this stage. Everything was secured below but they hadn’t really gone through much. That was currently in progress of course, but incomplete.

“As much as I’d love some new jewels, what we need are the practical items for sale at Peacock‘s Cove.” Buffy shuffled through the scrolls, maps and letters laying across the floor of her chamber. She had most of it separated into piles by importance, but she hadn’t been able to really go through it all. “Besides, if everything goes as planed we are going to have another hit that will be filled with possible riches.” Buffy looked up at her friend who was lounging across the captain’s bed now dressed in her normal attire.

“Ok, but when we get to the good stuff on this take, where are we going to trade?”

Buffy looked back down at the map sitting in front of her. It was laying crumpled against the papers in piles underneath but she could read plainly where Johnston’s was. “Don’t worry, Wills, I’ve got it all planned out.” She looked up and nodded at her friend. “And then we are going to go someplace no one will expect.”

The wiccan knew that tone. It was never good when the blonde’s voice turned determined during such a simple conversation. “Buffy, are you going to tell me what’s been going on already or not?”

The blonde stared back up at her friend. She knew one day it would come. Either to Willow or Xander. She’d always imagined it would be both. She was going to have to tell but eventually the whole crew would have to be aware.

With a shaky breath Buffy started. “You already know how I came on board, and all about Giles, Willow. But what you don’t know is that Hank Summers of Johnston’s is my Father.”

The other girl’s jaw dropped. “What!?”

“Just let me say this.” Buffy pled, holding a hand up.

Willow tried to look more calm and quieted herself, so Buffy continued. “He abandoned me here. He abandoned me even before my ship was taken by pirates so many years ago.” Her voice creaked with each word, the emotions were too strong as she thought of everything she’d been able to piece together over the years.

Willow was too shocked to do much but stare open mouthed while waiting for the rest.

“That’s bad enough I suppose, but then there’s my mom and Dawn.” Buffy continued feeling a little stronger at the softening of her friend’s face. “And a lie about me as well.”

Willow now looked at Buffy with some curiosity and sorrow.

“My mom had died before I left. I don’t remember how long but not too long. I remember her, you know? I remember her eyes mostly, but I also remember moments. Like when I got that music box. Buffy’s head nodded to the item under discussion sitting on the corner of her desk. “I remember when I fell and she washed the scrape on my hands.” She shook her head. “But I don’t remember a sister. Mom left for a while, I remember that. I block of lonely time. But no sister.”

“Well, you were real young. Maybe you could remember if you had something to remind you of her.” Willow tried to help.

Buffy got up suddenly, her hair whipping around her face while she reached for a chest across the room and pulled out a roll of parchment. She tossed it at the surprised girl on her bed and declared. “Something like that?”

Willow took one look at what revealed itself as she opened the scroll. “Oh god, Buffy. It’s that glamour you wanted.” She stared up at the still standing woman. “This is Dawn, your sister?”

Buffy simply nodded. “We always try to get information. Giles found some things out on accident years ago. He waited to tell me and well, the letters, the payments, it all added up to me having some long lost sister.”

“But this is great, right? Family and all.” Willow said trying to smile even though her friend’s face was solemn. It was apparent that things were not all well.

“The sister thing is good, but the fact that my dear father decided to ship her off and pretend she doesn’t exist is wrong. The girl thinks she’s an orphan. She’s been away her entire life.”

“Why would he do that?” Willow asked intrigued.

Anger laced the captain’s voice. “Because she’s a secret. We both are.”

She watched her friend’s face, trying to search for her reaction. But Willow’s face was just confused. “He was sending me to my aunt’s when Ripper found me. But Hank decided to keep my missing status away from her when he found out the ship was taken. He assumed I was dead, I believe, and has been telling my aunt that I stayed behind with him, while telling those around him that I am away with my aunt.”

“I hate to repeat myself, but I still ask, why?”

Buffy let out a short breathy laugh. “Because, Johnston’s is mine, by rights of birth. My grandfather Johnston assured my mother of that. To be set aside for my husband, but mine none the less.” She watched as her friends eyes opened wide in shock. “And with us females out of the way-”

“It’s his.” The redhead said in a flat tone, to which Buffy nodded.
End Notes:
Ok, I redid this chapter about 10 times. It just didn't seem to come out the way I wanted, but in hopes of not driving myself insane I decided to just post the darn thing. Hope you liked. :D
CH 10 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
So, even though I had this story nearly done when I started posting it, I just didn't like it's direction once I got to ch 9, so I had to step back. I'm not sure how regular updates will be, but I'm fairly comfortable with this chapter so, here ya go. Sorry for the crazy delay.
The Island came into view before the sun set. The entire crew was setting up to bring The Watcher into the harbor and settle in for a few days. Peacock Cove was home, if the ragtag crew had one at all. Here they were welcome and most in the village knew exactly what sort of men and women would be disembarking.

But unlike most, Peacock Cove was an island where the military and conventions did not reach. So few in the outside world knew of this off the map destination, where what truly mattered to its residence was the type that did. Buffy and her people, for all there illegal ventures, were trusted friends to the island‘s occupants.

The small town claimed the same as most, shops and homes and families and pubs. It would seem very normal to anyone looking upon it, and but for the near ignorance of its existence, it was.

As they drew closer and the sun set, a gleam from torches being lit lead them forward towards the port.

“Now there is a sight for sore eyes.” Xander said as the buildings took on more detail and so did the forms of people walking about near the pier. He was leaning over the rail taking a closer look at the glows of light, searching for something.

Spike unhitched the plank that would be used to leave the ship and could see the same shining orange dots ahead as his mate could. “Sure looks lively.”

“Always is. Only a few know about this place, so they get a little excited when visitors come to call.” The brunette explained, eyes still looking across the sea of faces for the one he’d been waiting to see for what felt like years.

True to what Xander had just said, a low thrum began along the edge of the harbor as groups of people began to line up. It took William a few seconds of listening to the sound grow louder before he realized it was a welcoming call from the coast as the people cheered for the ship of sailors.

As The Watcher came to a halt and Spike handed over the plank to the other side connecting with a THUD on the pier, the crowd yelled louder and several people were forcing themselves to the front calling out names. “Larry!” A girl shorter than the captain herself called. She had deep chocolate colored hair and a thin face.

Before Spike could ask who she was Larry had bound downward and picked the girl up. They soon disappeared into the crowd and Spike had to chuckle at the oversized man’s antics.

“Tara!”

This voice came from behind him and the newest member of the crew turned to see Willow waving frantically to someone on shore. Oz stood beside her and was nodding to apparently the same person. A girl, he surmised when he followed their gazes. The pair left the ship together and met with the curvy blonde woman and the three embraced in a way that in no way could be called simply friendly. Hands were placed intimately just at the waist and they were pressed as closely as 3 could be. He couldn’t help but raise a brow at the sight.

Xander saw where the blonde’s eyes were focused and chuckled. “Yeah, it’s apparently a really good story. Full of sex and secrets and corruption.” He stated, teasing the staring man.

Spike snapped out of it and glared up Xander.

“Oh it really is a good story.” Faith interrupted the boys with Woods right behind her. The couple was loaded down with several bags filled to the top with items.

The dark haired beauty sidled up closer to Spike and continued in a sultry voice. “It’s dirty, it’s depraved and it’s one of the sexiest stories I’ve ever heard.” She whispered softly at the end.

Woods shook his head and rolled his eyes at his woman.

Spike gulped reflexively and closed his eyes to regain his focus. “Oh yeah?”

Faith straightened back up and got a better grip on her bags before she answered him. “Yeah. Of course I’m sworn to secrecy and no one can get it out of me.”

This time Woods spoke up. “Believe her, I’ve tried.”

Spike had to laugh at that. He saw their burden for the first time. “You off to sell a few things?”

Faith looked down at her fistful of the top of a potato sack holding several of her belongings. “Na, just taking some things back to the house.” She shrugged and smiled.

“Oh.” Spike glanced back at the small town and then finished with. “Right.”

They passed by him without another word, anxious to get home and in their private bedroom.

“Xander Harris!!” A yell voiced over all the other murmurs in the crowd still gathered on the pier, now filled with people hugging and greeting missed friends.

Most everyone’s head shot up towards the loud call of the woman wrapped in a stylish black and white frock. She stood with her hands on her hips and was glaring at the usually easy going first mate. The same man who now looked pale and afraid.

“Well aren’t you going to come down here and try to make me naked?” The curious woman asked, her voice still carrying over everyone else.

Xander started to fumble with the things he had stacked in an open topped crate and began to turn a slight pink before he gripped his things tighter and headed down to the woman. Spike watched the two greet each other with passion filled kisses and headed down as well.

Xander was coming up for a breath when he noticed Spike walking past him. “Will, come meet Anya.”

He stopped in his tracks and turned to smile at the light haired female now attached to Xander.

Spike tipped his head in half a nod. “Glad to meet you miss.”

“Missus, you mean.” She glared at her husband. “Mr. Harris, you didn’t talk about me at all?”

“We just picked him up.” The now jittery man tried to explain. “We were a little busy An, it didn’t come up.” Which was true. He was quite in love with his beautiful and lively wife. She never ceased to surprise him whenever they were together. As much as he would love to share that, it was difficult to ponder his life here with her when they were out, it only caused him to miss her that much more.

“It’s true Mrs. Harris, I’ve only just joined in and there has been little time for pleasantries.” He hoped that would help. Although not completely true, he’d not seen anything from the first mate that made him think there were nefarious motives behind the lack of Anya’s mention.

“Hmmm.” She answered still eyeing the stranger. “Well I suppose I can forgive that then.” She abruptly turned to her husband. “Besides, I do not want anything to come between you and me in bed, soon.”

“Oh, well, yeah.” Xander agreed and gave Spike a halfhearted nod. “Enjoy your off time there Spike.” Before turning and walking as quickly as he could with a woman mauling him and a crate weighing down his steps.

“You too, mate.” He chuckled at the couple and then looked around.

Most of the others had cleared and he wasn’t sure where to. He studied the town ahead. Small buildings and large crowds all celebrating a homecoming. There was already loud music and a raucous sing along coming from his left. All happy sounds of people enjoying themselves to extreme.

It was crowded and noisy and absolutely in no way did he feel like getting caught up in it. With a sigh he headed back up onto the now deserted deck. It looked like everyone had departed and that suited him just fine. As much as he liked being on board he missed having his own space.

He tramped below deck towards his bunk and lay back smiling at the near quiet. Just the sounds of waves hitting the anchored ship and the occasional creek of the craft itself was heard. His mind felt light and he let his eyes close to revel in the peace.

It really was a wonderful thing to be alone with one’s thoughts. He went over how much his world had changed in less than a months time. His existence had turned so much that he had trouble reconciling the fact that 4 weeks ago he had nary a friend and now he was surrounded by good people he called friend.

Before, he had no future to ponder or control, and now he literally had the world spread open in front of him. With that one raid he’d gained more wealth than he had saving for those dreadful years of servitude.

He let his thoughts wonder and soon was sleeping.

~~`~~

Buffy nearly flowed onto the ship’s deck. Her boneless body felt exquisite and pleasantly numb. The boardinghouse always knew how to treat her. A hot bath, scented soaps, and complete privacy. She could have lived in the tub filled with steaming bubbled water, but unfortunately the liquid heaven cooled.

So now she was here, aboard her gloriously quiet ship, the sounds of festivities still echoing in the town but less volume was involved. It mixed in with the sounds of the sea and caused a calming shiver to run down her spine. This was home to her. This harbor, on her ship with these stars sparkling high above.

And while most people on her crew traditionally took to the land and the people during these layovers she still preferred her bed in her room. These moments were rare for the captain and she treasured the time alone with her sturdy craft.

Buffy moved leisurely to her chamber and quickly changed into nightclothes, having had to redress in her daily wear after her cleansing. The simple white nightdress’s cotton sang against her skin. The cool crisp air brought gooseflesh to her entire body and as a last thought she threw on the matching robe, simply decorated with a light blue ribbon to tie around her waist. She slid her feet into the white satin slippers and went on deck to breath the sea air.

Her back to the town she studied the blackness of night that lay out over the infinite length of water. The moon was gone and only the shining points of light gave faint notion as to the sea’s surface. But the sounds of small ripples hitting each other and the lapping against the formed wood of The Watcher gave no question of the water’s location.

She sighed a contented sigh and walked slowly to the steps leading down into the belly of the boat. She hadn’t really had her own chance to look over the profits from The Premier. She’d received the lists from Andrew yesterday, but there was something about seeing the fruits of the pillage that always made it more real to her.

Buffy made her way through the boat and immediately saw that the men had done well to separate the frivolous from the practical. Unbeknownst to her at the time, but a second shipment of goods had been added to the manifesto for this particular run. They had stumbled upon the strangest assortment of goods.

There, alongside the fabrics and herbs were lanterns and table wear. While another section held jewels and unset stones, and jumbled with those were carefully chiseled statues and beautifully crafted clothing so unique that they looked like art.

Buffy ran her fingers over one gown made from silk, and lace that was so soft she would swear it was crafted from silk as well. The deep green was a color that she couldn’t recall seeing before while the black lace trimming the cuffs and the low cut neck seemed perfect to deepen the hue further.

With a gleam in her eye the blonde lifted the dress and held it against her frame. There may be need for alterations on the skirt length and possibly the waist but it was too good to give up without a fight.

She ran her hands along the skirt’s length again, pressing the silk against her cloth covered thigh. She then lifted it daintily with one hand and held the dress against herself with the other and mocked a courtesy. “I’m so pleased to meet you.” She said to no one.

“Fairly pleased to meet you as well.”

She heard from behind her bent back and shot up straight so quickly she nearly dropped the garment. She grappled for it and spun to see a grinning William scratching his stomach under his tunic. “Don’t let me stop the introductions. Seems to be a man of high standing you’ve got there, and you know how impatient the overindulged can be.”

Despite her embarrassment she laughed at his statement. “Well then I hardly think I should waste my time with him.” she cleared her throat of the last few giggles and tried to take on her more respectable form of speech. “I really can’t abide men that lack the patience to wait for a lady.”

“Dreadful manners really.” Spike agreed. He took notice of the clothing the woman held, and the ones she wore. “I take it you weren’t expecting company?”

Buffy looked down at her state of dress and brought the green material up higher in an attempt to cover herself. “Well, no. I mean-” She had to take a breath to settle herself. “Everyone goes to town.” She attempted to explain. “But I can’t sleep there. I guess I’m just used to it here.”

Spike nodded, understanding how a captain might feel. “Sorry I mucked up the plans then. Was all a bit too much though. They all know each other and missin’ each other. Thought a bit of quiet would be nice too.”

And for the first time since he’d come on board there seemed to come an understanding between the two. She’d really not gotten to know him very well, things had been so rushed and her own troubles were taking much of her spare time. But they both seemed to enjoy the calm and serenity that came with time alone.

She smiled and kept hold of the garment before heading out so she could stow away her new find, but she kept talking so he followed. “You know, when I was younger and Ripper would stop us here we always stayed on board.” She continued through the ship towards the stairs.

“So you were here with Ripper as a child?” He followed her automatically.

“Oh yes,” She drew her skirts up as she ascended the stairs. An unavoidable peek was taken advantage of by the new pirate’s eyes. It was only a bit of smooth shiny calf, but oh what a lovely bit it was. “He would spend hours teaching me such amazing things.”

“Sounds great.” Spike had to admit he really wasn’t listening to much while following her up. The green gown was no longer hiding her from his view and even with the yards of the white cotton he was transfixed with her hip’s sway and the movement of her body.

“We would stay up for hours, and he taught me things that I never would have learned in polite society.” She continued on to her chambers and walked in, leaving the door open for her comrade. “He was relentless with his persistence that I practice till I get it right.”

She was folding the silk into a chest and Spike vaguely realized that she was still talking about Ripper and how he was a relentless teacher. He was trying to take that in as well as the fact that he was now standing in the bedchamber of the blonde captain while she stood in the type of clothing he was sure most didn’t see.

Buffy was glad to be able to share some of her past with William, he seemed to be paying attention and she thought he’d appreciate why she liked being on board even at dock. “Sometimes he wouldn’t let me go to sleep until I got the roll of my tongue just right or the curve of my back.” She was smiling now. To think how much she learned of languages and fighting skills.

Those were such difficult lessons, but whenever she perfected an accent and the grammar to match she would smile for days. And the first time she was able to take down Giles, Ripper, in a challenge, the entire crew celebrated. The most proud had been Rupert though.

The lessons were such fond memories that she couldn’t help but smile to herself as she locked the latch on her chest. She was about to continue when she was rudely interrupted by the sweet man listening to her remember.

“He did what with your tongue?” That was what had fully brought about his attention to her words. Something about everything she’d said had just snapped into place and he was beginning to get a very different picture in his head than the one she was trying to paint.

From what Spike knew, the old captain was just that, old. He’d been captain of this vessel for as long as he could remember. Pirate stories were not uncommon and he could not recall the first time he’d heard of The Watcher and its notorious captain but the man was well aged. For another, this all happened when she was younger? How much younger?

Buffy shrugged. “Well, he had me practice rolling it properly.”

And every bit of blood in the young man’s body suddenly thought his groin was the place to be. He swallowed hard and thanked all that was precious above for the long tunic now hiding his predicament.

By the look on his face William was having trouble with something, so Buffy tried gave further description. “You know, for translation and pronunciation?”

He was a bit dizzy, probably because of the lack of blood circulating in his brain, but that did register. “Pardon?

His face changed again, this time a bit more relaxed so she went on. “Well Ripper was very well read and a great fighter. He wanted to make sure I could speak a few languages and could defend myself. He really did try to teach me everything he knew, but only me.” She grinned. “So when we would put to dock and all the men were off, Ripper would give me lessons.”

He let a sigh of relief escape. “Oh, well that sounds a bit more-” But he had to think to come up with the right word.

But Buffy was now trying to figure out why William had acted so oddly. “Wait. What did you think I was talking about?”

The strain in his voice was evident as he scratched the back of his neck. “It just sounded, just for a tic mind you, but it sounded rather tawdry.” He cleared his throat and tried to continue.

“Oh. My. God.” The disbelief and indignation flooded her words. She crossed her arms and shot daggers at him with her eyes. “Are you kidding me? He is like a father to me. You have a disgusting mind, William.”

He tried to backpedal. “No, I really don’t. I just misunderstood is all. Really.” He pled with her. His face was desperate. The last thing he’d wanted was for her to be cross with him. “Honestly, I clearly missed the bit when you told me you were talkin’ about studies.”

“Well what else would I be talking-.”She stopped mid-sentence having an idea of what he thought she had been discussing. “Ok, well I WAS talking about what he taught me in the arts of combat and communication. Not the art of love.”

He cocked an eyebrow at her words. He wouldn’t have expected her to refer to sex as ‘the art of love’ much less to him. “Alright then. So,” He tried very hard to remember what this conversation had started as, then her remembered. “Oh right, so that’s why you like staying on board. Fond memories?”

“Hmm.” Buffy thought to herself and took a seat on the edge of her bed. “No, not really. Its mostly because I’m comfortable here, and it’s quiet.” She let out a short chuckle. “And I can avoid strange or awkward conversations.”

He joined in with her laughter then. “Plan’s working well then?”

Another giggle escaped her before she nodded. “Going great actually.”
End Notes:
So, I am changing the direction this was originally going, not by much but I'll have to redo about 8 chapters so I'll get em up when I can. *kisses*
CH 11 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Some things people have been asking get answered in this one. Hope you enjoy :D
William was fascinated with the finely chiseled wood that would hold the delicately painted paper that unfolded in the most artistic way. The fan opened to reveal some unknown landscape with unusual homes and tiny symbols he vaguely recognized as being from the east. Although he could not identify exactly which language.

“Be very careful with that please, William. It’s very easy to tear.” she asked, but there was only a simple warning to her voice. He carefully closed it back up and set in on the shelf next to a small statue of a mother and daughter dressed in what to him looked like shifts.

Below that was a shelf of daggers meant for throwing next to a small wood box that he assumed could be a music box. Those were rare as well. At the far end was a small stack of bound books. “You certainly have collected many treasures.”

She was intrigued with his perusal of her more precious belongings. He seemed to be rather unsure of himself, but she was his captain, and so that seemed reasonable. “Ten years here. A girl begins to make herself at home.”

He chuckled and ran his fingers over the books one last time before he turned around. “And he really found you? During a raid?”

She nodded. “Yes, and raised me. I used to sleep right in there.” She pointed at the door right behind her. She saw that same look come over his face. The one that let her know his mind may possibly be taking a wrong turn. “For my safety of course.” She clarified, hoping to avoid another misunderstanding. “The crew was like family, but they were men and I was a young woman.”

A small smile played on his lips. “ Still are by my measure.”

She grinned back, and leaned against her desk as he turned back to her shelves. “Yes but now I’m fairly sure I have very little need of more protection than I can provide myself.” She said crossing her arms.

“Learned that one first hand.” He turned back to her and crossed his arms, mirroring her pose. “Still, been hiding away in this room or that one, has to get a little lonely, captain.”

There was no teasing in his tone, and if it had been Parker making this statement she would probably end up breaking the poor boy’s nose. But she sensed nothing but pure curiosity from the man, laced with something else she couldn’t name, but by no means nefarious.

With a little trepidation, she shrugged, barely a hint of movement as she worked to keep her face impassive. “I suppose, at times. But I have my crew, and my home. And more of a life than most females.” It sounded a little rehearsed, even to her ears.

He didn’t comment. Instead he found himself surveying his captain’s room once more, hoping to distract himself enough from staring at a woman who was, more often than not, occupying his thoughts.

She, for her part, seemed to be studying him. Gauging the man that had fit in well on board. “And what of you William? I hear that you were orphaned young, and became a servant soon after.”

“You’ve heard the truth. Although ‘servant’ would be the polite way of describing my employ.” He sighed and turned to focus his attention on her. She looked at him with curiosity and seemed to be waiting for more. “My master was by no means benevolent. When I first began, he had me outside, working me hard and hoping to break me.”

She saw his face harden at the simple statement. “When he tired of that I was to work within the manor, and became quite proficient at it despite his ridiculous requests.” He didn’t wish to go into detail. It was a life he wanted left behind.

She seemed to respect his choice. Even some of the more experienced on the crew who served her never went into long descriptions of their past. A personal choice that she found understandable. For none of them had any clue to her ancestry.

Without thought she walked past him, so closely that the flowery scent from her bathing tickled his senses. She reached for the small box he’d seen and opened it, letting loose the quite tones of a song she could hum from memory on command.

The simple notes were plucked as a wheel spun a metal tube with raised dots. It was an elegant structure, but the mechanics had held through the years and a small smile tugged at her lips as she looked up. “We all have our pasts William. We all have our secrets.”

His eyes shifted from the slowly turning metal back up to her face. “That we do.”

She held his gaze, unable to look away as he seemed to see into her, and read those secrets directly from her mind. She was still dressed in her night clothes, but his ocean hued eyes made her feel positively naked. An icy chill balled up in her belly, and then the ice warmed and melted into a tingling warmth that flowed down right into her thighs.

She had to force herself to take a breath, and blinked, looking away at a particularly interesting knot in the wall before she closed the tiny box and set it on her bed. She quickly turned and tried to think of a way to go back to the more relaxed mood they had shared. She wasn’t sure why, and that was mostly because she refused to actually study her actions, but she wanted to keep talking to William, or Spike rather.

An idea struck her. He was so interested in the items she’d gathered, perhaps he would like to see where she’d obtained them?

In a moment, Buffy threw open one of the trunks and began pulling out rolled maps. She spun to him with an armful. “I think you’ll like this.” She smiled at him, watching as his eyes shifted to the bundles she held.

Soon, a grin filled his face.

~~`~~

The next morning, with the sun shining in a radiantly clear sky, Willow jabbered away while Tara followed her up the gangplank. There were so many things to share with her girlfriend that just when she thought she’d told her everything something else would pop into her head. “Oh! And I used the Myrtyl’s Root like you suggested. It was great!”

Tara held her lover’s hand. “I’m glad honey.” Tara herself never could get used to the rocking and jittering of the pirate ship. She could handle a few minutes at a time but there was no question in her mind that if she ever took to sea that the only adventure had, would be with her stomach.

They headed towards Buffy’s cabin door. They’re mission was to rouse the sleeping woman and get her back to town for much trading and mingling, rather the blonde wanted to or not. It was a time honored tradition, since Buffy never seemed to want to wake up after the first night at dock. The noon sun was nearly at its apex and no one had seen her yet.

Willow rapped lightly at the door in the hopes that Buffy might call back announcing she’d roused herself. But as history was due to repeat, there was no such proclamation so the red head entered. “Buff, it’s time to rise and,” she peered through the opening made by the now ajar door and took in the sight of a clearly ransacked room. Nearly every item Buffy had ever treasured was scattered about. “Torture whoever did this to your chambers.” She finished in a harsh whisper, eyes wide with shock.

It was at this time Buffy rolled over and became slightly aware of her surroundings. The haze of sleep hadn’t quite lifted but her eyes were open. “Oh hey Wills. G’morning Tara.” She said as she pushed away some of the blankets covering her in her lush bed. “Who are we torturing?”

Buffy worked on sitting up while Willow recounted her declaration. “We are going to have to torture who ever did this to your room.” Now the redhead and Tara were standing near the foot of the bed, looking over the open chests with items strewn throughout the room. Her shelves were disorganized and so was her desk. “What happened in here Buff?”

The captain took in the state of her chamber. It really was pretty disorganized and not at all tidy as she usually kept it, but torture seemed a little extreme. Still, if her friend had her heart set on it, who was she to disappoint?
With tired limbs, Buffy held her arms out in front of her. “Ok, get on with the beatings. I’m ready.”

There was a silence in the room as the visiting women took in Buffy’s words.

Tara giggled and eyed Willow. “You sure you want to take her on sweetie? She is the captain after all.”

Willow shook her head at both of them. “No, of course not. But, Buffy, what the holy heck happened in here?”

Buffy again looked down at her floor. She remembered now, half the night wasted away talking to William. It’d been amazing really. Once she started talking and he joined in, they couldn’t seem to stop. She had drug out nearly every piece collected over the years aboard the ship, while Spike regaled her with saucy retellings of his old household. Some so scandalous that Buffy herself felt her body warm with tales of trysts and deception and affairs that, it seemed, were commonplace.

Tara saw it first, her eyes widening in surprise. It was a the little smile that kept onto Buffy’s face, a new kind of smile for The Slayer, but one the shy woman knew. She glanced to Willow beside her to check if she’d notice. Whatever the sleepy blonde was thinking about certainly seemed to please her. And if the Wicca was right, that something was male shaped.

Willow’s nose crinkled. She knew that look. Why did Buffy have that look? She was on board all night. She couldn’t have warm fuzzy thoughts about someone she hadn’t bothered to leave the ship to meet. “So what exactly did happen last night?” She voiced her final thoughts to the lump now trying to extract itself from the bedding.

“Oh, yeah, that.” She replied just barely managing to miss stepping on the fan built from paper she’d gotten years ago, but had been happy to share with Spike the night before. She really should have cleaned up but by the time he left early this morning she was too tired to care. “That’s just from William last night.” She said matter-of-factly.

“William?” Tara asked Willow, who was now open-mouth shocked.

She looked over the room with different eyes. The bed was a mess, Buffy’s things had been moved around and some lay on the floor. Even her desk was in disarray. “Oh Buffy, you didn’t? Did you?” Willow asked as Buffy began gathering up her belongings and set them in their proper place. “Was there alcohol? Did he get you drunk and take advantage because if he did his backside is so going off the ship the hard way. I don’t care if we are at dock.” Willow was on a ramble. “I’ll sail this thing myself if I have to. He’s taking a swim!”

“Whoa, Whoa. Wait there Red.” Buffy set one of her frilly dresses back in the open chest and turned on her friend. “There was no drunkenness and certainly no taken advantage of here.” She made sure Willow understood. “He was onboard last night and we just talked. That’s all. Nothing requiring a swim as punishment. Alright?”

Willow turned her head slightly and scrutinized Buffy carefully. “Are you sure, because you look kind of like there was something more than talking.”

Buffy was now picking up the papers and books off the floor and attempting to bring order to her workspace. “I promise you, there was talking and story telling. That’s all.” But even as she said it she knew part of that was a lie. Something had happened, though not physical in nature.

There had been a connection there. One that it would do her well to ignore. Although some of the crew she dearly cared for had coupled and made it work, she not only had the past experience of a failed relationship, but she was captain and really had no desire to complicate things by making one of her crew her lover. And judging by the red head’s reaction, it wouldn’t do much for the crew’s moral either.

“Besides,” She continued organizing her desk, trying to sound nonchalant. “It gave me a chance to get to know him a little.”

“I suppose that’s true.” Willow agreed before abruptly changing the subject to the reason she was here. “Well we came to get you for more fun and interesting things than learning about Spike.” Willow announced with a playful gleam in her eyes.

“Oh yeah?” Buffy asked again, turning to her friend.

“Yeah.” This time Tara continued, nodding. “Olivia is interested in a few things and wants to work out the details.”

Buffy gathered up a clean pair of trousers. “I’ll be right there then. Just need to get dressed.”

The pair of women nodded and shut the door as they left.

Tara glanced back at the grain of the wood patterned into the door before facing her love. Her pensive look hard to miss. “I get the feeling Buffy is hiding something about this William. Who is he?”

“Latest crew member.” Willow said simply before adding, “And she is definitely hiding something.”

~~`~~

It was like they’d dropped anchor at a festival. The main square was filled with carts and wagons between booths where prepared meats and vegetables could be purchased alongside the raw ingredients. The smell of roasting pork had his mouth watering and so he strolled past the food court towards another area filled with fabrics and tailors selling prepared clothing. He’d eaten enough for 10 men so far, and even the thought of another bite made his stomach churn, despite the heavenly smell.

Larry, Oz, Parker and Xander had met up with him nearly the moment his feet touched land and they’d been leading him through the main center of the village. Since then he’d eaten, he’d drank, he’d made a few bargains for items and even managed to purchase better boots and some new trousers.

But the town was exciting. It seemed through the morning another boat, although no one the crew of The Watcher was familiar with, had docked, so many of the islands occupants were out trading and milling about the streets.

Spike slung the bag holding his new belongings over his shoulder again before announcing he was headed to the ship to stow it.

“Alright.” Xander waved him off. “We’ll be at the pub, you know the one?”

He nodded and headed back to his new home. The crowd got thinner as he met the outskirts of the town and the path that lead down towards the dock. It was a short walk, but one that soon found lined with people traveling back and forth, arms full off bags and crates and barrels.

At first he just thought it was more merchandise being put out for sale, then he saw Buffy, black trim vest buttoned in place, and overseeing everything. She was pointing and seemed to be yelling commands to people bringing things on board which seemed like very little compared to the amount leaving.

When her gaze fell across him she smiled and strode to meet him. “I hope you are willing to be a very rich man, William.”

She said it so seriously, even with the smile on her face. He wasn’t sure how to respond. “Sure, I’m not averse to it.” Was all he could come up with, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

She laughed outright. “Good, because as of today you get one of these.” She said and dropped a small leather pouch heavy and jingling into his hands. “I know its just a start, but it’s yours. Everyone get’s one.”

He was open mouth shocked for a full 10 seconds before he could ask. “All of this?”

He looked back at her just in time to see her shrug. “It’s an even share with the rest of the crew.” She stopped a man with a small crate and peered in quickly, checking its contents. She set the lid back on loosely and shoved the man along. “Some is going to supplies but the rest we split.”

He followed her back onto the deck now looking at his new boots and trousers with fresh eyes. He could have bought as much as he wanted. Could for a good long while from the weight of the coins.

She seemed to be able to read his mind. “Save it. Buy what you need. Get some interesting things along the way.” She said thinking about the night previous and her own souvenirs from life. “Then when you want to get out you can live honest off what’s saved, and have a few reminders of the glory days.”

He couldn’t help but agree with her simple plan. “I did well then?”

She nodded. Their evening was still running through her mind. She had come to one conclusion. She liked William. He was an easy sort of fellow. What you saw, was what you got. Those hours of talking showed her that much, add that with his past actions and she knew that there was only one problem, she could easily like him much more. It wouldn’t be difficult at all.

She had to shake herself from those thoughts. They were to be avoided at all costs. There was just too much as stake to let herself get caught up in the butterflies that would stir if she looked too long into those smiling blue eyes, or at the quirky curve of his lips when he shared an irritated grin.

Pulling herself back into the moment, Buffy smiled, “You did well, Spike.”

“I’m just going to-” He pointed towards the stairs. “Thanks.” It was all that came to mind. So he left and wondered why his head chose that moment to replay the way she looked laying across her floor with a map marking all her travels last night. She had looked so innocent and free. The serious face was gone and a girl was left behind.

It threw him off.

Not that the woman was stone faced, but she was the captain and held the rank with ease. Seeing her with the title stripped away only made him more appreciative of the woman as a whole.

He stowed his things as the thumping of feet overhead echoed in the otherwise empty barracks. It struck him how much things changed in such a short time. The scampering feet of sneaky chambermaids was taken by the rowdy clomps of men moving aboard. His duties of caring for the cargo, pitching in with Larry and practicing fight moves with Faith had taken place of the inhumane treatment his abused body had endured. And instead of avoiding the other people ensured to the household, he had a group of mates he worked and laughed with daily.

And now, according to the captain, he was pretty well off. Though he couldn’t calculate the worth of the gold, he figured it was no small amount.

~~`~~

They left a day later. Weeks passed with stops that lightened their load while weighing down their pockets. The stops were short, and not the homey welcomes of The Cove. More often than not, the entire crew would stay aboard while deals were settled by their captain, usually accompanied by Parker, but very rarely anyone else.

It was a month later, and at sea once again, the Watcher moved swiftly across the horizon of a setting sun. The golden orange hues evoking an unreal atmosphere. And as the sun dropped down further, causing the colors to deepen and change into pinks and reds, before shifting to purple, and finaly the blue of a night sky pierced with bright white crystalline stars, Buffy stood firmly on the deck looking over the faces of her patiently waiting crew.

She had been able to bestow them all with a good turn over from the last heist. A few days of trading and another short stop had nearly emptied their cargo hold of goods but it had also taken them to the last piece their captain had been after before she would be forced to reveal her true goal.

The men and women aboard the ship were sharing a barrel seemingly at ease with how well things had been going, all due to their captain. Whatever it was she had gathered them all up for, they were quite anxious to hear. Excited to know the next venture that might line their pockets that much more.

With a calming breath, she began. “We’ve been doing well.” She started loudly into the air. The crowd all agreed with enthusiasm, some lifting their mugs to the woman standing before them. All smiled and hardy well wishes were shared between the crew before she had their attention again.

As they quieted once more she continued, eyes and face resolved. “I’m glad you are all pleased with the fruits of our labors so far, you’ve all proven yourselves here. Proved to be willing to put yourselves on the line for each other and for The Watcher. So what I’m about to ask you to do is not a requirement. This time, it has nothing to do with the group.” She watched their faces, looking for and watching for any reaction to her words but all she saw was curiosity from the faces surrounding her. Willow was the lone person in the crowd that knew what was coming next.

“I need to put to dock, on a personal matter.” She announced shortly.

Xander shrugged. “Going to visit Ripper again?”

Buffy’s eyes dropped onto her first mate. “No, I’m going to see my sister.”

She watched his face take on a blank look before confusion then a wide eyed realization pulled him fully aware again. “Your sister?”

“You never said you had a sister B.” Faith joined in smiling, obviously happy for the woman. “That’s no problem. Not with me anyway.” She seemed quite agreeable to an unscheduled stop.

“Yeah Buffy,” Larry agreed. “We could all do with a little relaxation anyway. Where are we headed?”

This was going to be the hard part. She knew that none of the crew would berate her for finding family, it was where the family was that would be the problem. “Right inside the Aurelian Territories.”

There was a small gasp from the crowd then complete silence. Almost everyone aboard her ship had been found near that area. It covered several cities, and the Aurelian shipping Company was generally avoided by this crew because of its abusive and exaggerated interpretation of defending their ship.

Captors were never taken if raided. Many of the captains entrusted with Aurelian shipments were considered more dastardly than any pirate with their cruel treatment of their crew and horrendous ethical practices.

“B-Buffy, you didn’t say anything about… about that.” Willow barely got out of her throat past the fear that was building.

Xander gave her a sideways glance, concluding correctly that Willow had some previous information on this situation, but apparently not much. His gaze went back to the blonde looking over a crowd of murmuring and worried men and women. “It’s not that we don’t feel for you, Buff, but some of us have a price on our head and have plenty of people who can recognize us on sight around there.”

“I know.” Buffy agreed with a nod and a frown. “I know Xander, I’m not asking anyone to go with me. Well, no one that could be recognized.” Her eyes dropped onto Parker. “I’ll need Sly, and I could use Spike and Larry as well.” She added looking at each as she spoke their name. “But this is strictly volunteer work here.”

Woods crinkled his brow. “I’m up to help if you need me Captain. No one around here has seen me.”

Buffy nodded back at him. “Thanks Robin, I’ll keep that in mind. I’m still not sure how this is going to play out. I mean, I could be recognized and there are a few people in the territory I can think of that would love to se me again for my head more than the reward on it.”

“How are you going to pull that one off?” Spike finally spoke up, concerned now as well, for her.

He’d remained silent and disconnected the moment she’d mentioned the name. Aurelian Shipping, of course it had to be them. Nowhere near his old home of course. His old master loved the luxury of living where he liked, while his company ran and made him money. But the name had frozen him none the less.

Now though, as he heard her reveal her own danger, he was fully aware of the conversation. He was expected to take part in her plan to see a sister apparently no one knew she possessed.

Buffy looked back at Spike. He’d said nothing and had little reaction to his inclusion on her early declaration. To his question she simply answered. “In disguise.”

~~`~~

Hank dropped the papers onto his desk as he strode around it, quickly unfastening the buttons of his overcoat before draping it carefully over the back of his chair. In graceful movements he settled himself into his seat and began reading through the latest accounts.

Nearly two moths had passed and only one more confirmed Slayer raid had occurred, this time leaving the crew adrift and helpless for a week before they were found, sails gone from their ship, their ropes sliced through, and the anchor long gone.

Luckily they had been left to drift directly in the newly routed shipping lanes. Ones that had been deemed safer because pirates rarely were sighted in the area. So much for that plan.

He read swiftly over the pages and only found his anger rising. With luck, his new plan would help him gain some ground. All he needed was for the winds to blow his way for a short time. Long enough to destroy this man who seemed determined to take all he could.

With an annoyed grunt he dropped the pages against to his desk and turned to the small table sitting beside his desk that held his brandy.

He was in the middle of enjoying the generous three fingers of the warming liquor when a rapping sounded from his door. He swallowed quickly and commanded, “Enter.”

The door swung open as Lindsey McDonald strode in, his hat swiftly pulled from his head as he shut the door then wedged the new Captains hat under his arm. “She’s ready for launch Mr. Summers.”

“Well done Captain. I should expect you back with in 2 weeks, is that correct?”

Lindsey’s eyes shifted to the ceiling as he calculated quickly. He then eyes his employer. “Possibly, but I think we could be back in less. It’ll depend on the sea, sir.”

“And your informant?”

“Nothing as of late, Sir.”

“When he contacts you, make due haste and send word immediately.”

Lindsey gave the man a nod. “Of course.”
End Notes:
Don't worry.. I'm sure everything will go just fine. Cuz um.. yeah I'm so-lying.
CH 12 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Hope you like :)
Riley stood across the plank, a curious look plastered on his face. “I’m really not sure about this Buff. I know I owe ya one, really, but this is pretty risky.” He said as she stepped onto the deck of The Initiative followed by Parker and Larry carrying a trunk and Spike hefting the bags holding a few of the men’s belongings.

The mid-sea meet had been planned via message with Anya. Missis Harris had apparently done her job well, giving the captain of The Initiative the message as soon as they docked for their layover at the cove.

Now the two ships bobbed along a quiet ocean, anchored for the time as the exchange of a few guests was made.

“Relax Riley, we aren’t even going to need you to put to port. Just get us close enough to row in and wait a little bit.” She smiled sweetly at him as her men strolled past and headed down into the barracks. “You won’t have to lift a finger, besides, you’ve always steered clear of the area just like me, but unlike me, you’re boat is unlikely to be considered a threat.” She said.

He shook his head. “I still don’t like it.”

She crossed her arms and stared up at him. “You don’t have to like it Finn, but you do have to keep your word.”

He sighed visibly. “I’m a man of my word, you know that. And I’ll take you in, but it still seems wrong. You’re literally heading headfirst into the belly of the beast and hoping not to be digested.”

This time she let her arms fall, but she kept her eyes on him, hoping he understood with complete clarity that nothing could sway her. “You think I don’t know what I’m walking into? You think I’m not aware that there are some places that are just plain too dangerous for me to come close to?” There was an air of pity surrounding her words. His overprotective nature was still evident.

“Yes!” He interrupted with his voice raised loud enough for both ships’ compliment to hear. “I think you have some twisted idea that you can get away with anything, just because you’re The Slayer.” He let his voice lower and took a calming breath as he watched her face harden. “But mostly I’m worried, Buffy. You don’t know what might happen in there.”

She looked up at him and only saw sincerity. Despite their past, or maybe because of it, he still worried more than he should. “Riley, this isn’t some half baked plan I cooked up last night. I’ve been trying to set this up for months, years really. I’ve had the timing down for awhile.” She turned when she saw her men coming back up to the deck followed by a few of Riley’s men as well.

“I’m sending Larry and Parker in first to make sure there is no one there that could identify me. The captains or crew of ships, A few Admirals. Also there’s this governor about a year back…” Her mind wondered for a brief moment as her eyes shifted heavenward, a smile tugging at her lips. She looked back and shook herself from the personal joke. “Anyway, it’s a long shot, but Larry knows who to look out for and Parker, well…”

Larry piped up then. “Parker can talk us out of any trouble if there is anyone around that could cause it.” He said jovially and gave the man in question a friendly slap on the back. Parker took it in stride and grinned a cocky grin

“Exactly.” Buffy nodded and continued. “Then if everything looks clear, and Forest doesn’t come with bad news, William and I can go in.”

Riley raised a brow at that as he looked over the slighter looking man standing on the other side of Larry. “No offence, but don’t you have someone bigger to fight with?”

“Oi there!” Spike called back.

She cut in, “One, he can fight.” Buffy stated holding up her pinky. “And two,” Now holding up her ring finger. “There won’t be a fight. He’s coming as my footman. An escort.“ She gave her hand a funny look, and let it fall to her side, before looking back up. “No lady of breading would walk through a strange town unescorted. And since that’s exactly who I will be posing as, I need a someone that can pass as chaperone.”

Riley shook his head at her. “I still don’t like it.”

She smiled up at him gently. “I know. You worry. But don’t. Everything will be fine.” She finished.

~~`~~

Larry walked through the unfamiliar ship 2 days later, dressed for his part in the plan. The waistcoat was tight and he never did care for hats. The simple black cap now on his head only seemed to irritate and itch.

The guests were to set up bunk on the far end of the floating barracks. Much like The Watcher, there were bunks, and a few random slings or hammocks. Most men had their own preference. For him, he preferred the bunks, but a good sleeping pallet would do for their short stay on board.

He had only needed to change and was heading back out past the otherwise empty space. Or at least he thought it had been empty.

As he drew past the first set of beds, a distinct clink was heard. A few steps more and he could see the back of Forest, who was standing by what must have been his own sleeping space. “Forest?”

The dark man’s head spun quickly and the items in his hand dropped with a round of random clinks on the wood floor. Larry eyed the coins now lying at his feet. “Oh, sorry. I didn’t realize you were-”

“It’s alright.” Forest interrupted him and bent down to collect his small fortune. “Just don’t like people sneaking up on me.” He quickly explained.

“Of course.” He couldn’t figure out what had caused the other man to become so jumpy, but then again he never did spend much time with Forest. Maybe this was just the way he was. “I was just heading back to meet with Parker again, before we head out”

Forest stood back up, cinching the bag in hand, now plump with the money. “Oh, that’s good.” He agreed and stuffed the bag under the blankets of his bunk. “I’ll head up with you.”

Larry nodded and let Forest lead the way.

~~`~~

Graham grabbed the rope as it was tossed down, and pulled them towards the pier. His passengers waited patiently and primly while he did his part. After a long wait, with no word of warning from Forest, Parker or Larry, they felt safe to come into the town. He could only hope that all was well. Graham watched the blonde man pull himself from the small craft, and busied himself carefully picking up the few packages Buffy had brought.

Buffy took William’s hand as she stepped up from the small boat that had taken them from the former military vessel to the shores of the city. Graham kept within the vessel and handed up the parcels to Buffy.

She quickly handed them off to Spike and turned back to Graham. “Thanks.” She said. “We should be back in less than two hours time.”

The sandy haired man nodded once. “I’ll be here.”

Another smile of gratitude from the woman and the blonde pair headed up the docks toward the small burg that was held within a foreboding sight of a stone-wall monstrosity. A rocky construct that stood out as an impenetrable shield to those within.

One entrance was visible from her vantage point as they drew closer. She’d been here a few times in a previous life, and once in her present one. Each time she felt as though she were walking towards a dark and evil place.

It was dreary looking, with large slabs stacked high to keep the people within safe, and to keep those without invitations out. But to Buffy it always looked more like the makers of the walls wished to keep the residents trapped. An obvious realization considering its former use.

The wood planks of the pier gave way to stone steps and a path that lead to the large opening, big enough for several horse and carriages to roll through. Spike, all the while, stayed to her right and just a step behind as he was instructed, while he took in the grandiose sight. Why anyone would go to the trouble to build such an eyesore? He could not fathom.

The entrance was guarded heavily and for a moment some trepidation seeped into his pores. His eyes shifted quickly to the woman dressed in green finery, her bodice cinched and her black lace parasol held sternly overhead, while her steps remained graceful, if not resolute.

She walked forward intending to pass by the men wearing broadswords at their sides, but instead just as she was about to pass the threshold to the city within she heard a polite, “Excuse me Miss.” As one of the sharply dressed men stopped her.

“Yes?” She said stopping wide eyed and sweet. Spike, as was his duty, stepped up to his fo-mistress’s side.

“What business have you here?” The man asked her. He was young and tall with a thin trim mustache over his lip.

“I’m here to provide a stipend at Miss Winkles.” She said as she pulled open one of the small envelopes to show him an unwrinkled sheet of parchment with instructions carefully written out. She handed the paper to the man and waited as he skimmed over the words. “Miss Winters?” He looked up and asked quickly.

She nodded. “Anne Winters, yes sir.” She had no doubts as to the authentic look of the parchment. Andrew had taken special care with the language of her request. And Jonathan had matched the emblems and crests for the supposedly official letter with a perfection that surpassed her expectations.

The soldier handed her the paper and she slid it easily back into place. “Will there be anything else?” She asked in her sweet polite tone that had Spike trying hard to hold back a laugh.

The young man gave Spike a quick glance, easily deducing his station and shook his head before waving the pair through. “No ma’am. Thank you. “

She gave him a parting nod and headed under the arch of the high opening into the town, Spike dutifully at her side.

As they entered the town they saw that, despite the dreary outside, it very much resembled any other. Shops and businesses were scattered along the square with venders set up off to the side offering their wares as well. The one distinction this particular place had from others was the large building constructed of the same stones as the high wall. It was meant to be used as the headquarters of Aurelian Shipping, but had once been the holding cells for slaves when this route was popular less than 50 years ago.

The cells had long ago been converted as had much of the building above. Below the ground was a different story. Buffy had heard firsthand stories of the cruelty that went on below. In the depths the old cells had been maintained, as had the chambers used for ‘punishment’ and ‘interrogations’ traditionally.

With a shiver Buffy turned from the offensive building and headed in the opposite direction. Thankfully the house she was due to visit was far on the other side of town. “Come on.” She said to Spike who was still glaring at the stone structure.

The streets were busy with sailors and military along with the overpopulation of the regular citizens, but thanks to Parker and Larry’s earlier reconnaissance, they were fairly sure none of the ships or visiting crews were from Johnston’s and none of the men visiting the local entertainment establishments were of consequence. Buffy held confidence in her men, but she was fully aware that, despite her preparation, nothing was guaranteed.

They followed the turns of the roads that would lead to the lady’s school Buffy knew held her sister. She stepped carefully as she kept her posture straight and ladylike, a small smile planted on her face as a lady would. It was downright irritating, but with each tip of a hat by a passing gentleman and slight nod from other women, she knew that she was, at the very least, playing the part well.

When the stately building rose from the outskirts of the town, nestled against one of the high walls, Buffy could feel her heart speed up. She was finally going to meet her sister. The most difficult part was coming upon her, and with the bit of confidence she’d gained from years of planning she strode to the dark wood front door and pulled the thick rope attached to a small brass bell overhead.

There was a short silence between the dinging of the bell and the sound of footsteps coming from behind the door before a young woman answered, thin smile in place.

“Hello, I’m Miss Anne Winters here to speak to Mrs. Wimple about Miss Dawn Summers.” Buffy announced to the girl who simply opened the door wider and waved them in,

“Please, be seated Miss.” She offered as Buffy walked in followed by Spike.

The girl shut the front door and scampered away quickly leaving the two in the greeting and sitting room. It was not large but held four single chairs with two small tables all constructed of wood but ornately carved. The chairs had seats with velvet blue cushions attached for comfort.

Upon the walls hung several framed papers, naming graduates of the ladies school, attendees and letters of thanks from former boarders. Buffy eyed the place with scrutiny, oddly having a feeling that she was not the only one putting on a good show for on looking eyes.

The hallway past the room was lit by sun filtering in from high windows covered in ivory lace, but she could not see where the hall led past the turn, leaving her to pace within the confines of the small area. She had no desire to sit, and had little patience for the wait now that she was here.

“You look as nervous as a cornered mouse.” Spike commented, trying hard to hold in the obvious amusement in his tone.

She stopped mid-step to give him a dirty look, to which he shook his head and stood still by the door. If she wanted to pace, he’d let her pace.

Thankfully, only seconds later, they heard the footfalls of a approaching feet.

~~`~~

Lindsey rode up to the open gate, his horse tired and puffing out gasps as the rider slowed his pace. He was hardly recognizable in his plain clothes, the uniform of his daily life left behind this day.

As his steed pulled to a stop, Lindsey threw a leg over, and slid easily down the side of the saddle to land lightly on his feet, the reins still in hand as he completed the length to the doorway into the high walled city.

He was already running late, but it couldn’t be helped. The last minute switch in plans had caught him mid trip and he’d barely been able to hand over command and obtain passage to land.

He pulled his ride in past the guards, both recognizing the familiar brunette even in plainclothes. He quickly handed off the horse to the stables, handsomely tipping the keeper with orders to makes sure she was rested and ready for the return trip just in case.

~~`~~

Larry and Parker strode through the town, still keeping an eye out for any problems while Forest tagged along a few steps behind. The three men had done their duty long ago but since none of them had any chance of being recognized, had stayed behind in case things got troublesome.

Since they had every intention of leaving after Buffy and her party, Forest had no need to wait behind in the small craft that had brought them, but it also gave him a different problem. He seemed to be expected to follow the pair from The Watcher, which was an unforeseen kink in his own plans.

Larry peered into a shop window and noticed some young women looking over fabric remnants. They only partially hid the small selection of gems in the glass case on the far end of the store. Parker, who noticed his mate had lagged behind, took the few steps back beside the ogling larger man.

With a glance, Sly saw what had caught the man’s attention within the town’s general store. With half a grin Parker called back to Forest. “We’re going to pick up some rations.”

Forest, who had been looking across the street towards a pub, nodded back. “I think I’ll get myself a drink then.”

Larry was still transfixed with the jewelry on display just past the women. The ship knew he’d been toying with the idea of asking his girl to make things more permanent. With the sparkling gems set in gold bands calling him, Parker knew his friends had a target in mind.

Both men had the presence of mind to wave off the dark man. Sly just kept his cocky grin on his face and shook his head in embarrassment at Larry. He wanted to ‘pay’ for the ring. Like a thieved gem was bad luck, or some such nonsense. Marriage was for the birds in his opinion, but Larry was the sort of guy who might be able to pull it off.

~~`~~

Buffy could feel her palms sweating within the white lace of her gloves. Spike stood up a little straighter, carefully balancing the small wrapped boxes and Buffy took an involuntary step forward as the shadows of two figures drew closer.

The first to appear was Mrs. Wimple, a thick woman with a soft smile on her face and a gleam in her eyes as she turned to allow the second figure come forward to be presented. “Miss Anne Winters, may I introduce to you, Miss Dawn Summers.” She said, quite pleased, and kept her eyes on the young blonde, who only stared at the tall graceful young woman who stepped into the fine, if not spartan, room.

Dawn, such a simple name, and appropriate for the moment. This would be a new beginning. Buffy could only stand for fear that if she moved she would make a fool of herself crying and sobbing and hugging this young girl who was, for all intents and purposes, a stranger. But there was an undeniable connection the moment Buffy looked into the face that held a gentleness she remembered seeing often in her mother‘s face as a child.

The statuesque brunette gave a low and formal curtsey. “Miss Winters, it is my great pleasure to finally make your acquaintance.” She straightened to her full height and Buffy couldn’t help but smile. Her ‘little’ sister had apparently gotten all of the height in the family.

“The pleasure is mine, Miss Summers.” Buffy finished formally before turning to the elder woman who was watching the entire display without seeing any of the conflicted feelings in the well-off woman’s face. “May I have some time to get to know Dawn, please?”

Mrs. Wimple gave a startled look before gazing over to Spike who stood stock still, eyes forward and mouth shut as a good footman would. She then let her eyes fall on Miss Winters. The request was unusual after only just meeting. Usually there would be a discussion of the girl, her upbringing, any details of her heritage as well. But there was no reason she could think of not to grant it. “Of course.” A tight smile appeared on her face. “I’ll just be in the kitchen.” She directed the last of her statement to Dawn.

“Yes, of course, Miss.” Dawn acknowledged with a short nod.

Another pause and Mrs. Wimple strode out, her skirts swishing loudly.

When the swishing silenced the three were left all exchanging looks before Dawn brightened, seemingly coming up with a plan to alleviate the tension obviously choking the room. “Perhaps we could sit?” She offered.

“Of course.” Buffy, glad she had another moment to think of what to say, happily agreed.

The young women arranged themselves on two of the chairs separated by a small table with a gold framed watercolor of a hummingbird suckling from a flower, sitting on its well polished surface. Spike shifted his feet slightly but kept his place.

The young brunette cleared her throat once and chanced a glance at Spike, who only gave her a wink, which brought a smile to her face. “Who’s he?” Dawn asked with a nod.

Buffy turned and saw Spike still standing, face forward, a gleam in his eye telling her he was pleased to be the center of attention. She faced her sister again, “That’s William. He’s here to see to my safety.”

Dawn’s eyes widened and she leaned in closer, now whispering. “You mean he fights other men?

Buffy leaned in as well, amused by the young girl’s attitude. “Only if they are very nasty. Otherwise he might make a mess of that lovely suit.”

Spike let a chuckle escape but his eyes stayed focused on a spot on the wall. He had assumed that Buffy requested his presence for this particular subterfuge because he would be a new face, unknown to the area. He was slowly becoming aware that it may possibly have more to do with the fact that he worked in a house for years and had a clear idea of how the help was to act.

Dawn straightened again and nodded. “That would make sense.” She agreed and smoothed out her skirts as she continued. “So am I to leave with you now?” She said eyes down studying the fabric between her fingers. “I’m not yet 16, Miss Winters.”

Her sympathy for her sister redoubled, and she strained to keep her identity a secret. Until the young woman was 16, she would not be safe. “No Miss Summers. You are to remain, complete your studies.” She said and saw as her sister’s eyes slowly come up to meet her face. “I have no desire to take you from your home, but I feel it is my duty to care for such a spirited young woman.”

Fear seeped into Dawn’s eyes. “S-Spirited?”

Buffy let a brow raise. “So you did not untie the tethers of the stables before letting a snake loose last fall?

Another deep chuckle came from behind, quickly followed by a cough and silence.

Dawn’s eyes fell again. “Oh, yes , there was that.” She said more to herself before looking back up, defiant and pleading. “But I was much younger then. Barely 14.”

Buffy merely smiled and nodded. “And I’m sure it is not something you would ever attempt again. Am I correct?”

Dawn shook her head to the negative, her hair swaying around her head with the motion. “Oh no. Mr. Overly, he tends the stables, he nearly had my head. And Mrs. Wimple took away my privileges for 4 months.” She said all in on breath before cutting in again. “And kitchen duty.” She finished making a disgusted face.

Buffy wanted to laugh at the way her sister spoke. If she and Willow were left in a room it could be an interesting ramble contest. But, she was here playing the part of a wealthy woman looking for a ward. A Difficult enough scam to pull off considering her young age. It would not do for her to break out into hysterics at the idea of this slight girl causing a stampede of over a dozen horses through a town.

A town with walls enclosing the horses and only causing havoc for the residents as the horses ran through the streets. When Buffy had gotten the letter describing the events she had laughed until she cried.

But she was Ms. Winters here, and so she simply said. “Also, it may have been a bad choice. Possibly, one might say, wrong. Would you agree?”

Dawn nodded with a now solemn look. “Yes, of course. Someone could have gotten hurt. I was very lucky no one was killed.”

Buffy gave her a curt nod, it was a correct answer.

With that, she took a deep breath. “Well, then we are agreed. We will wait until after your 16th birthday, and the weeks after for your term‘s end. Is that acceptable?”

Dawn was confused now. “Miss. You would still, after, with the horses?”

“Well of course. You made a mistake, you learned. I’m sure you will make more mistakes.” She said matter of factly. Buffy then let a herself grin and leaned forward as if she were about to share a secret. “Life wouldn’t be nearly as interesting if there were no mistakes.” Buffy nodded knowingly.

~~`~~

Lindsey had forgone a bath, having been in a hurry, or so he’d thought. After finishing an order of stew, he was on his second mug before, finally, the seat next to him was filled. “Took you long enough.” he said as he lifted his drink for another gulp.

The man raised a hand to get the attention of the woman serving in the dark establishment. “Thought I’d be by myself.” He said when a mug of his own was set in front of him.

Lindsey looked up from his half full pint and stared up at Forest. “We all have to work to get away. Do you think it was easy for me to get here in just a few days time?”

Forest took a long slow dreg, enjoying the taste and sighing as he swallowed. His pleasure didn’t last long, nor did the euphoric look on his face as he turned to face the captain. “Stop your complaining and be glad I was able to contact you so you could be here.” His eyes bore into the man.

Lindsey had no fear of this scoundrel though. Any man willing to turn on his own crew did not deserve any kind of hesitation. Although he did deserve a sharp eye. “And what is this ’opportunity’ you needed me here for?”

His dark eyes glared with hatred before he gritted his teeth. He made a grunting noise, not at all pleased with this man’s disrespect. Another quick drink and Forest told him. “She’s here, now. In town. Right now.”

Lindsey turned his head towards the dark man. “She?”
End Notes:
TY for the reviews guys. I know I've been slow to post. I've been reading too much Spuff lately and have laxed on the writing. Hopefully after finals I'll be in a better writing mood. And ty cordykitten for reminding me how to count.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=34496