Because She Needs Me by CallMeKitten
Summary: Buffy returns from the dead haunted by a little girl in a cave crying out for her, needing her. Unsure of where or when the child Kaia is from, she turns to Willow for help to contact her. Willow goes one step further, sending Buffy into the past. Now she has to find her way home. Can Spike find her before something terrible happens?


Nominated at Rogue Poet Awards in Best WIP and Best Plot and at Spuffy awards for Most Original Plot, Best General Angst, and Best General Romance, Nominated for round 11 Fang Fetish Awards for Most Original and Best Angst/Dark, SunnyD Awards for Best Author/Best Drama/Best Angst/Best OC (Groma)/Best Plot/Best Unfinished (whew! and Thanks!) and Nommed at The Readers Have Chosen for the July 2009 Fanfic poll, too. OH, and I forgot Spark and Burn Awards, Reader's Choice, RD 6 for Best Plot, Best Angst, Best OC - Groma, and Best Villain - Kahn. YAY!
***Awards Won***

Sunnydale Memorial Fanfiction Awards Round 18
-Best Drama - Spuffy, Winner
-Best Angst - Runner Up
-Best Original Character, Groma - Runner Up

Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Rape, Child Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: No Word count: 50629 Read: 33464 Published: 05/15/2009 Updated: 07/11/2010

1. Chapter 1 by CallMeKitten

2. Chapter 2 by CallMeKitten

3. Chapter 3 by CallMeKitten

4. Chapter 4 by CallMeKitten

5. Chapter 5 by CallMeKitten

6. Chapter 6 by CallMeKitten

7. Chapter 7 by CallMeKitten

8. Chapter 8 by CallMeKitten

9. Chapter 9 by CallMeKitten

10. Chapter 10 by CallMeKitten

11. Chapter 11 by CallMeKitten

12. Chapter 12 by CallMeKitten

13. Chapter 13 by CallMeKitten

14. Chapter 14 by CallMeKitten

15. Chapter 15 by CallMeKitten

16. Chapter 16 by CallMeKitten

17. Chapter 17 by CallMeKitten

18. Chapter 18 by CallMeKitten

19. Chapter 19 by CallMeKitten

20. Chapter 20 by CallMeKitten

21. Chapter 21 by CallMeKitten

22. Chapter 22 by CallMeKitten

23. Chapter 23 by CallMeKitten

24. Chapter 24 by CallMeKitten

25. Chapter 25 by CallMeKitten

26. Chapter 26 by CallMeKitten

27. Chapter 27 by CallMeKitten

28. Chapter 28 by CallMeKitten

29. Chapter 29 by CallMeKitten

Chapter 1 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
I was inspired by the Clan of the Cave Bear series of books about a strong woman faced with an impossible life. Stay with me, I feel like this will be a long journey.

Thank you Xaphania for the amazing banner!! AND Lauriel for her amazing beta skillz :P
Because She Needs Me

Chapter 1


Buffy rubbed her temples attempting to relieve the pressure building behind them. The visions of the small dirty little girl crying and alone in the cave were breaking her heart. She had been beaten and rejected by the others in her clan. Her young broken soul was crying out for someone to rescue her, to ease her pain, to end her torment.

Since Buffy had returned from the grave, the visions of the child haunted her. She vaguely remembered being able to comfort her from wherever she had been. But now, back in her life as the Slayer in Sunnydale, Buffy couldn’t reach her. Her cries were with her all the time. Buffy was tortured every moment both awake and asleep. She was lost and unsure of whom to turn to for help.

All of her friends had fallen into their daily routines after she had died, and little had changed after she returned. She felt as invisible and lost as the little girl that haunted her.


She dreamed of her again.

Kaia sat in the dark damp corner of the cave, sobbing quietly. Her neck and arm hurt from the elder, Kahn. He had thrown her there because she had tripped bringing him his food, spilling it all over the dirt floor. Kaia knew too well she would sleep there tonight, hungry and cold. She knew she was different from the other children, not only in her looks, but many other ways as well. She was different.

Buffy bolted up in bed, covered in perspiration, her thin cotton night gown stuck to her heaving chest as she called out her name. “KAIA!” She woke up fully and realized she was in her room again, unable to comfort the child in her dreams. Sobbing, she collapsed into her pillow. After a while she fell back into restless sleep, exhausted and grief stricken.

Her alarm went off at 7:00 am. Buffy woke to find the entire house was already abuzz. Tara, Willow and Dawn rushed around preparing for their daily activities. Buffy listened to them taking turns in the bathroom, rushing up and down the stairs after forgotten items. She slowly got herself dressed and went down to the kitchen and poured herself a cup of black coffee. Leaning against the counter, she held her mug close, absorbing its heat but not drinking. Buffy watched them all trickle in and out of the kitchen, smile at her and continue on with their day. No one initiated any conversation with her, just a “Hey Buffy!” then out the door. She needed her friends, but they were so involved in their daily routine, there wasn’t any time for her. Buffy dumped her coffee down the drain, and left the house once again without eating. Buffy had no appetite and told herself she would eat something later. She needed to get out of the house. She was feeling claustrophobic. Grabbing her jacket, she walked out the kitchen door.

She needed to see him. He could comfort her like no one else. He was the only one who had time for her. She wondered if it was because he couldn’t go out in the sun, but she knew that he wanted to see her too. Plus, she wanted him, and he wanted her. She turned into the cemetery and headed to Spike’s crypt.




Spike sensed her before she even entered the crypt. Buffy had been coming around daily for a few weeks now, looking for a bit of cold comfort, which he happily dispensed. She came to him seeking from him what the others couldn’t see. She needed to be loved, comforted, and listened to. The others never asked her about how the resurrection had affected her, or what it was like where she had been. No one had taken time to listen to her.

Buffy arrived as on a schedule. She came to him each day, falling into his arms, his bed, his world. She was becoming more comfortable in the dark with him than in the sun with them. He worried about her. She rarely spoke at all. Her face clearly showed her unhappiness. How could her so-called friends not see it?

Spike was sitting in his chair watching television as she climbed into his lap.

“Hey Sunshine, you didn’t sleep well again, did you?” he asked, cradling her in his arms.

“No. I dreamt of her again. It’s getting worse and I’m scared for her. It’s like she’s giving up because I’ve abandoned her.”

“Buffy, this child in your dreams, we don’t even know if she’s real, let alone how to find her. You must start taking better care of yourself, please?” Spike brushed a strand of hair from her eyes as she snuggled into his chest. “Did you eat today?”

“I’m not hungry yet, but I promise I will eat later. Just hold me. I need you to help me forget, just for a little while. Please?” Buffy got up and stood in front of him with her hand held out to him.

Spike knew what she wanted and escorted her to his bed. He hoped she would sleep for a few hours after. Her ribs and the dark circles under her eyes were becoming more visible every day. He would do more research on helping her as soon as he could, but for now… she needed him.



They made love each morning, and she tried to sleep within the comfort of his arms after. She usually woke a few hours later in tears or trembling in fear. He would calm her, listen to her stories of the little girl who needed her, the one she could no longer help.

Buffy had told him about Kaia. She had explained that she had no idea how she knew about the girl other than their first contact had been after her death. She had explained it like a memory, or like a movie she had watched. The child had been found by the clan’s medicine woman, Groma. Groma had been looking for plants for a salve and had found the child alone in a patch of plants. There were traces of blood all around the swaddled child, leading her to believe her mother had been killed by animals.

The clan elders had not wanted Groma to bring the child in to their hearth, their cave. They complained that she was ugly and frail. They pointed out that she was obviously not of strong lineage and would surely become a burden on them. She was pale, her hair was yellow, and her eyes were green. They feared that she may be an omen or a sign of bad luck. The clan was made up of hearty, thick women with dark eyes. No man would ever claim her as his mate as ugly as she was. Groma argued that the child might be a sign of good luck, that she would raise her and teach her the ways of the medicine woman, so she would be valuable to the clan. The elders had known better than to anger their only medicine woman, and agreed to her terms.

Spike didn’t know what any of this meant, or how he could help, but he listened and that was more than any of her friends had done. His anger at Willow for the resurrection grew each day, as Buffy seem to slip a little further away.

Buffy was thankful for Spike. He had become more to her than any man ever had. Her feelings for him were so strong, yet she wasn’t able to label them. She knew he would do anything in his power to help her, but he couldn’t help her with this. She knew exactly who she needed to talk to. Having reached her decision, she snuggled close to her lover and slept soundly for the next few hours. She had a plan.



The morning began with Dawn leaving for school with Xander as her chauffeur. Tara had an early class and Willow was free for the day. Buffy waited till she was alone with Willow before she approached her.

Buffy stood in the same spot leaning against the sink each morning, holding her mug. “Willow, I need to talk to you.” She looked down into her coffee cup, unsure of how to start.

Willow sat at the kitchen counter, pushing her Cheerios into the milk with the back of her spoon. She was unsure of what Buffy wanted to talk about, but she knew Buffy was a little off since her resurrection and feared she would ask more about the spell she used. She had used black magic and it wasn’t anyone’s business. Buffy had come back and that was all that mattered. She had done a good thing.

“What’s up, Buff?”

“I’ve been dreaming of a little girl. I think she may be from the past or another dimension, but wherever I was, I was able to guide her, comfort her. Now, I hear her cries night and day, and I think she thinks I have abandoned her. I don’t know what to do. I feel her pain and I know she’d in danger. She needs me… and I need to reach her.”

Willow thought about Buffy’s words before she spoke. She knew she could help Buffy, she would have to research a bit in the restricted books at the Magic Box, but she knew she could pull it off. She’d show Buffy just how strong her powers had become. “Do you know her name? With her name I should be able to let you talk to her, or maybe even go to her. I will need a few days, but I feel confident I can do it.”

“Her name is Kaia. She lives in a cave, like prehistoric caveman time. Thank you, Willow. Please don’t say a word to anyone.”

“I swear, I wont say a word. Give me a few days.”
End Notes:
Please review. This is my first attempt at anything other than smut, be kind (theres a bit of smut)
Chapter 2 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
This was inspired by the "Earth's Children" series of books. I hope you enjoy this story. My brain is on overdrive, trying to spill out of my fingertips.
Chapter 2



Willow spent the next few hours researching spells to help Buffy. She knew that Buffy had been distressed since she had been brought back. Willow was relieved that Buffy’s distress was about the girl and not about being resurrected. Buffy had told her that she really wanted to make contact with the child, to comfort her, but Willow had a better idea. What if she could send Buffy to Kaia, to her time and place to actually help her instead of just comforting her. Willow smiled, having just come to a solution to Buffy’s problem. It was a much better idea, she thought, knowing Buffy could help Kaia and comfort her.

Willow located the dark magic book she needed from a stack of volumes on her shelf and began to search for a spell that would send Buffy to Kaia. By the third hour, she had found a spell to send Buffy back in time, but not to a specific place and another spell to enable her to ‘speak with someone from the past’, but not the exact spell she needed. Willow read through them both before deciding that she could combine the wording from both and get the final result she was looking for.

Her pen scratched out the words in her leather-bound notebook, her personal Book of Shadows that she used to hold all her best dark spells. Willow looked over her work once more, making a few alterations, then shut the notebook and placed it in the back pocket of her messenger bag.

She had taken the dark magic book from Giles’ personal collection just before he left for England. He had not noticed it was missing, as far as she knew, and she hoped that she wouldn’t get caught returning it. Or better yet, maybe she would keep it since he hadn’t noticed it was missing. Instead of replacing it on her bedroom shelf, she tucked it in between the mattress and box spring in her bed. She smoothed the bedspread back out and adjusted the dust ruffle before exiting her room to go find Buffy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy woke to find Spike’s arms encircling her, protecting her. He immediately knew she was awake and began to lightly kiss the back of her neck. Her body responded by leaning back into him, sharing her warmth. Spike’s hands were roaming, exploring her bare body. He reached between her legs, threading his fingers through her soft downy hair, seeking her rosy nub. She spread her legs allowing him to touch her. He slowly circled her clit as she rolled onto her back giving him better access. He kissed her deeply as she softly moaned into his mouth. Her hands reached for him, wanting to return the pleasure. “Let me do this for you. Just relax,” Spike whispered to her between kisses. He slowly brought her to climax. He loved watching her come. The tense trembling of her body, the gentle arch of her back, the expressions of her face lost in ecstasy. Her quivering body finally collapsed and she allowed him to pull her into his embrace once again.

She didn’t really want to leave, but she needed to get back to the house before Dawn got home from school. Wiggling out from his arms, she carefully climbed from his bed, searching for her clothes in the dark.

“Why don’t you just light another candle, pet? It isn’t like I would mind. I am awake, you know.” Spike watched her naked form in the flicker of the few dim remaining candles, as her shadow danced along the walls. Awed by her beauty, he committed the sight to his memory, unaware of how precious these memories would become in a matter of hours.

“Thanks, but I think I found everything. I need to get home before Dawn does. I don’t want to have her asking me any questions about where I’ve been all day. Or who I spent it with,” she responded.

Buffy picked up her cell phone and saw the little red light flashing, indicating she had a message. She would have to wait till she got out of the crypt to make the call, she wanted it to be private. She hoped it was Willow, but didn’t want to get her hopes up.

Buffy’s monotone response let him know her mental state had not improved. “Buffy, why don’t we just tell them all. They will all adjust. They might even be ok with it. I can’t bear to see you like this.” He got out of bed and went to her, pulling her into his arms. “Let me come with you.”

“Sun’s still up, Spike. Besides, I have a few things I need to do.” She returned his embrace, leaning her head against his chest. “But I will be back as soon as I can.”

“I will be waiting as patiently as I can, don’t be too long.” He tilted her chin up, capturing her mouth in one last heated kiss. Then he watched her walk away.


As soon as she got far enough away from the crypt that she felt Spike couldn’t hear her, she dialed the number for her voicemail and listened to Willow’s message. Dawn had called home during lunch asking permission to go out after school with Janice and a few other friends for a pizza. Willow had given her permission thus allowing her and Buffy to have the house empty for several hours. The plan was set, and they would cast the spell in the basement before anyone else got home.

Arriving at the house, Buffy found Willow already in the basement. She had covered all the windows so no one could see in and had made a circle of colored sand on the floor.

“Step into the circle and we can get started,” Willow instructed Buffy as she continued to set up.

“Shouldn’t we go over what I can expect? Willow, are you sure this is safe? I mean I trust you; otherwise I wouldn’t have come to you for help, but are you sure? I know you are using dark magics to help me and I want to make sure I’m not gonna end up like the family in the Land of the Lost TV show.”

“Trust me Buffy, I only have your best interest at heart.” Willow smiled, smug with the knowledge she knew what was best for her friend.
End Notes:
Please review :) I really makes my day to know what you think of this. Thanks so much in advance and I will respond to all. Also, if you want to make sure you dont miss an update, please favorite the story and you will receive email notification of an update.
Chapter 3 by CallMeKitten
Chapter 3

Buffy had no sooner stepped into the circle than the air in the room began to swirl. Buffy spun to see Willow sitting Indian style on the floor. Her hair had turned black; as had her eyes, and her skin was covered in black veiny lines.

“Willow?” Buffy tried to go to her friend and was immediately surrounded by wind. A ‘tornado’ had appeared around her in the circle, whirling the colored sand and loose objects, obscuring her view of Willow and her basement. Through the high-pitched siren sound of the wind, she could barely hear Willow’s chanting out the spell. She called out to her, afraid of what was happening to them both, but she wasn’t heard. Buffy stood in the middle, afraid to get too close to the rapidly swirling wind, fearing she would lose her balance. Then suddenly the world around her turned pitch black and silent.

Afraid to reach out or speak, she slowed her breathing and stood very still in the dark, listening, waiting for some clue of what had just happened. Was she still at home? She was trying not to make a sound, straining her ears for the smallest clue as to where she was, when a blinding flash of light appeared. She covered her eyes, trying to shield them. Then the ground below her began to shake. The blinding white light continued to surround her. The tremors quickly increased in severity, and Buffy found herself falling. Then a sharp pain in her head was the last thing she remembered. She had lost consciousness.

~~~~~~

When she awoke, she had no clue how long she had actually be unconscious. She was lying on the ground outside under a clump of trees. She lay there for a few minutes, trying to evaluate if she was injured. She took a deep breath of the cleanest, sweetest smelling air. Her arms were numb from the position she was lying in, but she managed to move them and brought her hands to her torso to check for injuries. Her clothing felt dirty and odd. She lifted her head to take a look at the damage.

She was shocked to find her clothes weren't hers. She was wearing crudely cut pieces of fur and leather. Her legs were bare and filthy. Panic started to wash over her. Buffy sat up to get a better look at herself and her surroundings. Her legs didn’t even look like her own. She felt her hair, which was very dirty, almost in dreadlocks. Pulling a piece in front of her face she realized it was blond, but much lighter than her normal color. As she dropped her hands, she noticed the difference between these hands and her own. They were not hers. She felt faint. Darkness began to surround her again, she felt herself falling backwards when she heard her name. Not her own, but hers.

“Kaia!”

Buffy turned expecting to see Kaia, but saw a rough looking woman rushing toward her. She knew this woman to be Groma from her visions, but wait… She knew this woman from what Kaia had shown her, but at that split-second she realized she had Kaia’s memories in her head, as well. She could feel Kaia within her. Her essence filled her. And like a light bulb moment, she realized where she was. She was in Kaia’s body.

Without understanding how she did it, she answered the medicine woman in a series of roughly formed words in a voice that was not her own. She understood the woman, and she her, as well. She was speaking a language she had never heard of.

“I’m fine, Groma. I was just lightheaded.” Buffy told the woman, hoping she would understand her.

“Thanks be, to the spirit guide. I saw you fall to the ground and was concerned for your health.” Groma dug in her hide pouch, which was strung across her chest and handed her what looked like a gourd. Unsure of what to do with it, she simply stared at it. Groma became even more worried about her child not knowing how to drink from the hollowed out gourd. “I think we should head back, I think you have been in the sun too long.”

Buffy nodded and got to her feet. She stood taller as Kaia. Kaia’s body was lean and muscular like her own, but she was taller. Buffy started to wonder about Kaia’s physical strength as she walked toward what she figured would be the cave where Kaia lived.

She watched Groma walk ahead of her. She was not an attractive woman by today’s standards. She was short and stocky. Her legs were bowed. She was very hairy, her brow was very pronounced, and she was missing several teeth. Buffy ran her tongue along the inside of her mouth, searching for gaps. She relaxed when she found none.

Buffy searched through Kaia’s memories, finding that Kaia was jealous of the look of this woman, and all of the woman in the clan. Kaia was different and treated badly because of it. She wanted desperately to fit in, to have a friend her own age… and to, one day soon, and have a mate. Buffy’s emotions spilled over and she began to sob as they walked back. This poor child. She can’t be more than nine or ten and already she feels that her life will be nothing but full of pain, because she is different.

Groma had noticed the girl crying and rushed to her side. “Perhaps you are nearing womanhood. You will relax on your hides when we return. Say nothing to the men folk. I don’t want them anywhere near you now. I will deal with Kahn when he asks where you are.”

As they approached the cave’s huge entrance, Groma handed her an animal hide filled with plants. “Go directly to my hearth. Speak to no one.”

Buffy began to panic that she didn’t know where to go, but Kaia was with her in spirit. She knew exactly where to go. She glanced around a bit on her way to Groma’s hearth, taking in the layout of the cave.

There were many people there, who all looked similar to Groma. The women and children briefly glared at her, while the elder men smiled and laughed. There was a central fire where the women were working, doing food preparations and other family type chores. The elder men sat on one side of the cave, overseeing the daily operations. There were a few men coming and going, but they looked much younger than the ones on the far side of the cave. As she walked further into the cave toward Groma’s area, she began to see what looked like apartments to her. In the cave walls there were smaller areas that appeared to be carved out. In these smaller rooms, there were piles of furs and hides. Each room had its own fire pit, or hearth as she learned from Kaia.

She saw women with small children in these areas, tending to them and sewing. She saw a woman braiding strips of what looked like grass into rope. When she reached the back of the cave, she found a rack of drying plants, many items made from bone, and many gourds like the one Groma had in her bag. She knew this was Groma’s hearth.

Buffy quickly stoked the fire as Kaia instructed her, and then climbed under the hides. Their warmth was welcome; as the temperature had dropped the further into the cave she had walked. She was exhausted from the recent events. She thought of Willow as she started to doze off. Then Spike. She knew he’d be worried and upset, she hadn’t told him of her plan to talk to Willow. Buffy could feel Kaia’s spirit, which was peaceful for the first time in weeks. She fell asleep, hoping she would not only find a way home, but also find a way to help Kaia while she was here. She knew it would be difficult, especially because she didn’t think she’d be here long.
End Notes:
Please remember that even a short review is appreciated. It really means a lot!

If you are enjoying this story, simply add to your favorites and you will receive an email when it is updated!
Chapter 4 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks PB for beta'ing *smooches*
Chapter 4


Buffy awoke to the feeling of someone bring her hair away from her face. Before she opened her eyes, she was reminded by Kaia where she was. She could hear the hustle and bustle of the evening activities in the cave. The weight and the warmth of the furs around her made her feel like she was in a cocoon. She worried who might be touching her, and would she be able to protect Kaia. Was she physically strong enough to fight? She struggled just momentarily, but Kaia was there. Buffy could feel Kaia within her, sharing her knowledge of her world, and it felt as if her emotions were guiding her. Buffy could only assume, it was Kaia’s spirit. Kaia was able to comfort her, recognizing the touch on her cheek.

Opening her eyes, she saw the kind face of Groma looking down on her. Buffy could feel Kaia’s love and warmth for her rush forward.

“Kaia, child of mine, are you feeling better?” Groma placed her hand on Kaia’s face.

“Yes, Groma. I’m feeling much better.” Buffy pushed the furs back and got up. She noticed that Groma had hung the plants that she had carried back, on a rack near the fire to dry. Groma had also set up several bowls and a mortar and pestle on a low bench and was preparing some sort of goop. “What can I do to help?”

“Do you feel well enough to go fill the hides with water? I need more to finish making the salve for Atouk’s wife Sanna. She has not given him a male for his hearth yet and he has requested I assist her.”

“Will it work?” Buffy was curious. The medicine woman seemed very knowledgeable, and it interested Buffy.

“Only the spirit guide knows. If Atouk was meant to father a male child, he will. Nothing I prepare will change what is his destiny.” She gathered 4 hide bags and handed them to her. “Hurry back, and remember what I said; avoid the men folk.”

Buffy took the bags and nodded. Kaia showed Buffy the quickest way out of the cave and to the creek where Groma always fetched the water.

As she walked, Buffy thought of Spike. She missed him. She knew he would be worried when she didn’t show up, and she hoped that she would be home before he got too upset. Willow on the other hand, she was in for a world of trouble. She could have and should have prepared me for this, if this is even what she had planned.

~~~*~~~



Kaia listened to Buffy’s thoughts, learning more about her and her world. Buffy had a mate. One who loved her, one who comforted and cared for her. These were things she knew she would never experience. Buffy was worried about how and when she would get home, and when and if she would see her mate and her friends again. Kaia knew Buffy didn’t belong here, and as much as she wanted her to stay, she hoped she would somehow find a way home to her mate and her mate’s hearth. Kaia wasn’t sure if Buffy could help her, but just knowing she had answered her cries meant so much.

~~~*~~~



Buffy filled the bags and prepared to head back to the cave, remembering Groma’s warning. Walking back along the path she had followed, she took in the landscape. There were oasis like clumps of trees and streams, which appeared out of the blue among the sandy desert areas near the cave. She saw other members of the clan getting water, picking berries, and in the distance, what looked like young men getting trained in primitive weapons. She knew she needed to get back to the cave, and made a note to check them out the next time she was out. She hurried back to the cave, careful to avoid ‘men folk’ as Groma had put it.

In the cave, Buffy was rushing to get to Groma’s hearth, when a large man in filthy clothing and hair on his knuckles stepped in front on her. She had been looking toward the floor, but raised her eyes to see the face of Kahn. It looked like he was attempting to grin at her, but it was not attractive at all. His missing teeth were part of it, but his stench was his main problem. Then he spoke.

“Where are you headed in such a hurry?” He placed a hand on her shoulder, and pushed her back against a wall of the cave. His nasty hands roughly felt up Kaia’s chest as he rubbed his stiffening crotch against her. Buffy could sense from Kaia that this was a normal occurrence and she was very scared.

Not even thinking about being in Kaia’s body, she shoved him away knocking him flat on his ass. Kaia was strong. Very strong. Kahn got up quickly, concerned that someone might have seen the frail girl assault him. He leaned toward her just before he walked away and whispered, “You will pay for that, beast child.”

The others in the cave all looked at her briefly, then returned to their work. Kahn stomped over to the other elders and started speaking to them in hushed tones, pointing at her. She hurried back to Groma’s hearth.

Groma could tell something had happened. To her, Kaia had been acting different since she had fainted earlier. Something was wrong. “Sit, Kaia. You will tell me what’s going on. You’ve been acting strangely all day. Now, tell me what’s happened. Has someone touched you again?”

Buffy could see the anger flow through Groma. Her veins pulsed rapidly as she took out her aggression on the seeds she was grinding with the mortar and pestle. Someone had touched Kaia and possibly raped her. This woman loved Kaia, but was not in the position to protect her from the men of the cave. Now she understood Groma’s warnings. She decided right then, she would stay until Kaia was safe from Kahn. She wanted to tell Groma what had happened, but feared she might think Kaia was insane, and she was really afraid of what they would do to her. Primitive lobotomies were the first thing that came to mind. She shuddered and immediately tried to forget. “I’m fine.” Groma looked at her with that face that moms use when they know you’re lying. “Kahn. He approached me near the cave entrance, and he touched me… and I pushed him.” She looked up to see Groma’s horrified look.

“You angered him! Kaia, what have you done? You cannot anger the elders. I fear what will happen to you when I am gone. You must never go against the wishes of the elders. Now, finish this. I will have to speak with them and apologize for your behavior.” She handed her the bowl, and walked away distraught.

Buffy stared at the bowl, unsure of what to do. What did she mean by when she was gone? She missed her home, she missed Spike, and she feared what had happened to Kaia.


~~~*~~~



Spike had waited for hours, walking around the cemetery looking for her. At her house, Tara invited him in. They chatted a while and he learned that Dawn was with Janice, Willow was at the Magic Box, and Tara had no idea where Buffy was. She had assumed that Buffy was on patrol with him. They were both a little concerned, but figured she’d show up soon. He thanked Tara and asked her to tell Buffy he needed to talk to her.

Willie’s seemed the place to go, and he headed in that direction. Something was wrong. Very wrong.
End Notes:
Please review, It really means a lot.
If you like this story and want to make sure you don't miss an update, add to your favorites and you will be notified via email as soon as one is posted
Chapter 5 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to PB and Sotia for beta'ing, and as always, Xaph for the AWESOME banner
Chapter 5


Buffy mindlessly went about crushing what looked like seeds with the mortar and pestle. Her mind was lost in thoughts of Groma, and Spike, and Willow. Kaia was there, but wasn’t offering any solutions. The girl seemed concerned about Groma’s statement as well, but knew better than to follow her when she said she needed to speak with Kahn.

Groma returned, visibly still upset. She went straight to her work, saying nothing to Buffy until she was seated opposite her.

“Kahn was requesting that the Elders banish you from the cave when I arrived at their hearth. He thinks that there is something wrong with you—that you’re not right in the head—and you will become a burden on the clan. I argued that you worked out in the sun today, that you were ill when we returned.” Groma fell silent and busied herself with her plants.

Buffy watched the woman who was clearly hiding something from her. Groma’s statement of when I’m gone had Kaia very concerned, and the latter kept was prodding Buffy to ask her to ask more questions. “Groma,” she started hesitantly, “why did you say when you’re gone’? Where are you going? Are you leaving? Are you sick?” Buffy could feel Kaia’s anxiety increase, as Groma didn’t answer right away.

The Slayer patiently waited to see if Groma would answer. The medicine woman finally stopped working and looked at her child. Buffy could tell Groma was struggling to find the exact words she wanted to use before she finally spoke.

“Kaia, my dear child, the sun has set many times since I was born. I feel that I have few sunsets left. Your training is not yet complete and I fear that the elders will not find you a valuable member of the clan.” She hung her head.

Buffy could feel Kaia’s heartbreak. The girl knew she had not committed to her studies, as Groma had wanted her to. She knew that some clan people didn’t even live as long as Groma had already. Buffy couldn’t think of what to say; Groma and Kaia both were so distraught. “Groma, I will work harder, I promise. And, you look healthy, so it may not be your time. Please, Groma, don’t be sad.” Buffy realized life was much shorter in this time—and the older woman was probably right–but she had to keep these thoughts out of her head, so that Kaia wouldn’t become more upset. Onto the next subject. “What do you want me to do about Kahn?”

Groma didn’t lift her head, and she began to quietly sob, her body shaking as grief overtook her.

Buffy got up and went to her. “Please don’t cry. I will do whatever you tell me.” She knew it had to be bad, but she was ready. She was ready to deal with Kahn so that Kaia wouldn’t have to.

Groma’s tears slowed as she allowed her child to comfort her. She wasn’t sure how to tell Kaia—the girl was so young and scared by Kahn already—but Kahn had given her a deadline. The woman sat up and dried her eyes. It was time to tell her child she had a choice, and neither option was pleasant.

Groma took her daughter’s hands in hers, took a deep breath and spoke. “Kaia, you have angered Kahn on many occasions. He has requested you be exiled from the clan, forced to live on your own.” At this Groma began to sob again. Her daughter, not by birth but by choice, was being discarded. To the elders of her clan, the girl was nothing but a nuisance they had allowed their medicine woman to keep, like a pet. Unfortunately, Kahn was a respected Elder who had proven on more than one occasion that Kaia was disobedient and useless.

Buffy started to speak, unaware of what she would say. Kaia was a young girl, scared and afraid. How would she make it on her own? She started to ask these questions as Groma spoke once more. Only this time, she didn’t look Kaia in the eyes.

“I begged for him not to send you out, pleaded that you were too young; you’d never be able to take care of yourself. I offered to go with you.” Groma took a deep breath; she was struggling to get the last part out. “But I was denied my request. However, he has given you a choice. You may be a second wife to him—he would expect you to move to his hearth with the next sunrise. It would mean you could stay here, continue your training, and it would raise your status within the clan.” Groma paused once more, her emotions taking over. Looked into Kaia’s eyes, sighed, then she finished what she had to say. “This choice is yours. If your choice is to stay, I will try to get him to allow you to stay by my hearth till you are fully woman and ready to breed. If you choose to leave, I will attempt to go with you, I don’t know if they will let me. The Elders for suggesting that I abandon my status threatened me. But you are my child, I will do everything I can to protect you. You must announce your choice at the end of the evening meal. I’m sorry, my child, I knew Kahn would do something like this. I see the way he looks at you, and I know he has touched you. I informed the elders you were not woman yet and he was warned, but he has now seen a way to try again, by forcing you to accept him as husband. These are not the choices for a young child to make, but they are the only ones you have. You may do as you please until it’s time for the meal. Take time to think about your decision. If you fail to make one, he will choose for you.”

Buffy was in shock. She searched her head for a solution, for an idea, for Kaia. She found Kaia, scared and hiding. Buffy would have to make this decision on her own. “Groma, I would like very much to go for a walk to think this over. I will be back soon for the meal.”
End Notes:
Please review, I'd love to hear your thoughts after reading this chapter. Thanks in advance, and I will respond to every review.

Add story to your favorites, and never miss an update!
Chapter 6 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
The fabulous beta job on this chapter was performed by Sotia and PaganBaby. I would have been lost without them. And Xaph as always for the amazing banner.
Chapter 6



Buffy left Groma sobbing by the hearth. She needed to think and if possible, discuss this with Kaia. Nearing the entrance of the cave, she could see and smell that the evening meal was almost ready.

The Elders watched her closely as she exited the cave.

Once outside, she took the path to the wooded area where she and Groma had been earlier. It was shaded, and private. She needed silence to consider her options, and quickly.

She found a large, flat stone by the edge of a stream and sat on its edge, swinging her feet into the cool running water. Think, Kaia! I need you now. I need you to tell me what Kahn did, and what you know about him. Kaia? Please, you can trust me…

Buffy sat, alone; Kaia was silent. The sound of the water rushing by did little to soothe her anxiety. Thinking about exile, she looked around her, realizing there appeared to be plenty to eat there; berries and such. But, she figured, if she left the cave, she’d have to go far away. Would there be food available? Would she find shelter? What sort of dangers would she face other than these? There were no grocery stores or hotels there. She had only been in that place for a few hours, and she knew leaving the cave alone could be disastrous for her. And by her, she meant herself and Kaia.

Buffy was trying to think exclusively about the predicament at hand, but her mind wandered back to Sunnydale. She wondered if Spike was looking for her. What had Willow done after the spell? Oh my God! What if this is like the Hell dimension Angel was in, meaning time passes differently here? What if no one even knows I’m gone? Where’s my body, and is it safe? Buffy could feel the panic wash over her, thinking about the unknown. Taking several deep breaths, she forced her thoughts back to that world, that time, and Kaia’s decision.

If she chose to stay, she would become Kahn’s second wife. What exactly would that mean? Kaia, please, I really need you to help me here. Still there was nothing. Buffy suspected being Kahn’s wife meant he would “own” her. What was more, from what she gathered from Groma’s perspective; she figured sex would soon be an issue. Kahn would expect to have sex with this child. Buffy knew Kahn had done something to the girl, and because of it Kaia was terrified of him.

“Dirty, sick bastard, “ Buffy said out loud. Her anger had reached new heights but, instead of dwelling on it, she decided to test out Kaia’s body. She needed to know what she would be capable of to make either choice.

She had felt the girl’s body strength when she’d pushed Kahn earlier, but needed to test it to make sure it hadn’t been a simple adrenaline rush. Hopping down off the large boulder of a rock she was sitting on, she looked at her surroundings. The large rock seemed like a no-brainer. At home, being the Slayer, she would be able to easily push it. Holding her breath, she closed her eyes as she placed her hands on the side of the stone, and gave a shove. The rock moved. Her heart leapt in her chest. She opened her eyes and saw that the large stone had moved quite a bit. YES! She is strong! Wait, why is she so strong? Shaking her head, she didn’t have time to consider this right now, but she a had a pretty good idea why. Ideas about why Kaia called to her were forming in her mind.

Looking around, she saw a tree with a bare branch about twelve feet in the air, off to her left. Rushing toward the tree, she jumped up, reaching for the branch. Her hands easily wrapped around it and she was swinging, like a monkey. Letting go, she dropped back to the ground. Her confidence level soared. Kaia’s body was immature and frail to look at, but she was hiding a talent Buffy was pretty sure no one knew about. Especially Kahn.

Buffy knew her time was limited. Kaia was still silent. Not knowing what unseen dangers the world of that time held for her, she made her decision.

She took a drink from the stream’s edge, and began her walk back to the cave. The sun was setting and she didn’t want to be late for the meal. As she left the wooded area off the path, she felt a familiar tingle on the back of her neck. Buffy wrote it off as her very dirty hair brushing against her spine, but deep down, she knew what it was. She stepped onto the path and hurried back to the cave, not having time to think about anything else.

Reaching the cave’s entrance, she noticed none of the people who were working earlier were still outside. Instead, there were large men posted on each side of the entrance, each with his own large spear. The central hearth just inside the cave was roaring, and the flames were making scary shadows dance in the sand outside.

Buffy began to run towards the cave, fearing she would be late. The Guards smirked at her as she entered, as if they knew a secret. Buffy let it go, and looked for Groma as soon as she entered the cave, finding her seated just to the right of the elders, with an empty seat next to her. Judging by the seating, Groma was a valued member of the clan. She was the only woman to sit at the hearth, and directly next to the Elders. She could see the woman was searching for her daughter, her face dirty and tear stained,’s. The look on Groma’s face told her the anguish she was feeling. Buffy knew this was a difficult night for Groma as well.

Buffy hurried to Groma’s side, sitting down just before a large wooden platter reached her. Each person was taking a piece of meat and a vegetable and passing it on. Buffy took a small piece of each and passed the platter to the next person. There was no table, no placemats, and no plates. As each person took their food, they began to eat it like wild animals, biting and tearing the meat, shaking their heads to tear off bite size pieces. Buffy followed suit, thankful she had only taken a small piece.

Looking around the large circular fire, she noticed that the men all sat near the fire while the women and children sat behind them. The women who weren’t serving were eating, but waiting for their next command and ready to jump up to take care of it, no matter what it was. She was shocked to see one man taking his woman sexually from behind. He was grunting loudly as the woman—on all fours—simply lowered her head to the ground and stayed quiet. There were people eating, children running around not far from them, but they didn’t care. She tried to look away, but he was finished almost before he started. She was shocked by how rough he was with the woman and even more so that no one else seemed offended by his actions.

Buffy noted that Kahn sat on a large boulder not far from her. He had been staring at her since she’d come running back into the cave. He was watching her as she stared at the other couple, stroking himself through his clothes. His amusement was evident to anyone who paid him any attention.

Once the meal was eaten, the women hurried to clean up as the men all seemed to just relax by the fire. Some men were enjoying their mates like the other man had earlier. The women seemed to think nothing of this, dropping to the ground on all fours like dogs. They simply did as instructed, then quickly returned to their other chores.

Suddenly Kahn rose and commanded everyone to hear what he had to say. All eyes turned to him, as silence filled the cave.

“People of the clan, today I requested young Kaia to join my hearth as second wife to Ullah. Ullah has consented and will welcome her to my hearth. Groma has also consented to this mating, but has requested that Kaia continue her training and has given Kaia the honor of announcing her answer herself. Kaia, please stand and face your clan. This is a great honor to you, providing you with family, a mate, a hearth. Speak your answer to the clan now.” Kahn stood, perched on his boulder, smug in thinking no young child would ever go out to live alone in the wilderness. He lustfully eyed her prepubescent body as she stood, his dirty hand still covering his obviously swollen member.

Once all eyes were on her, Buffy once more sought Kaia, only finding silence. This decision was hers and hers alone and it was time to share. Groma sobbed quietly at her side. “I have decided…”
End Notes:
Please review! It means a lot to know you liked it :)
Chapter 7 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Mega thanks to betas PB and Sotia for the awesome quick job they do. I would be lost without you guys, please know that. AND as always, Xaph, great banner!
Chapter 7

Buffy looked through Kaia’s eyes at the clan members. All eyes were on her as they awaited her announcement. She searched for Kaia once more before she made her decision known. Kaia, be strong. I am here for you. This is a difficult decision, but you will be stronger because of it. Trust in me to help you through it.

She looked to the Elders and finished her statement.

“I have decided… that I will accept Kahn’s proposal, but under certain conditions. Should we not be able to reach an agreement, then I will leave immediately.” Buffy didn’t have to wait to long for a reaction.

Kahn spoke first, “Conditions? Who are you to place conditions on me? I am an Elder of this clan and you should be honored that I would even consider allowing you at my hearth!” He stomped his feet, throwing a temper tantrum like a child. The clan members below him were mumbling amongst themselves, shocked.

The senior Elder, Hourak, stood to address the situation, which was quickly growing out of control. “Silence!” He paused, allowing the crowd—and Kahn—to still. “Kahn, I will hear Kaia’s request. She is training to be our medicine woman and will one day sit at my side. I am pleased to see she has a sharp tongue to match her mind. You will sit and listen to her request, and I will have the final say as to whether or not it will be honored.” Turning to the girl he urged her on. “Kaia, please speak of the conditions of this union.”

The only sound in the cave was the crackling of the fire. Even the small children seemed to be waiting for her to speak.

“Hourak, I mean no disrespect to you or any of the Elders, but I must speak freely.”

Hourak smiled. He had not had the chance to do more than observe this child with Groma, and had secretly been pleased with her defiance toward Kahn. “Please continue, Kaia. You may speak freely.” Not all of the Elders agreed with Hourak’s decision. Everybody respected him, and few of the clansmen had ever spoken to him as Kaia had today—no woman had ever dared to.

Buffy noted his amusement and hoped she was reading him correctly. She proceeded with caution, but determination.

“I will accept Kahn’s offer to become his wife, to share his hearth with his first wife, Ullah, on these terms. I will continue my days with Groma, learning her teachings, studying the ways of the clan, so that one day I may sit proudly by Hourak’s side as your medicine woman. I will assist Ullah with her duties pertaining to the evening meal, so long as I am not needed by Groma.” Buffy thought for a moment as to how to phrase the next part. “I request for Kahn to forfeit his rights to my body until the Spirit Guide shows you I have become a woman. Groma will provide you with the proof when the time comes. Until that time I will live at Groma’s hearth, as I am still a child in the eyes of the clan.” Buffy took a deep breath and waited for Hourak’s response.

Groma had stopped crying and was looking at her child. She was in awe of the maturity and strength the child was showing faced with the situation. She couldn’t ever remember being so proud, but feared what would happen if Hourak denied her request. Fidgeting nervously, she waited by her daughter’s side for the man’s verdict.

Hourak considered this strange child standing before him. She seemed far wiser and older than her years, unlike the other children of the clan. Her courage awed him more than anything else. She had been scorned and shunned from the first day Groma had brought her to the cave. He himself had stated he thought she would become a burden on the clan. He remembered Groma on that day; she had beamed with pride at the babe. Kaia had looked so different from the rest of them, yet Groma had seen past it. Hourak looked to Groma now, seeing her fear. She had raised this child alone. No other mother in the clan had ever had to raise a child alone, but Groma had. No one had ever helped her in any way. She had no man to support her, yet she and Kaia had thrived. Before him now stood the strongest child the clan had ever seen. Pride suddenly swelled within him as he looked to the woman and her child. He had reached his decision.

“Groma, please stand with your daughter.” He waited till Groma was at Kaia’s side before he continued. “Groma, you have sat beside me at the clan’s hearth for many years. You are a wise medicine woman and have served your clan well. Your child has come before me and requested conditions to her marriage, a task not one other woman, let alone a child, has ever done. Before today, I might have considered this brazen, but as Kaia stands strong before me, I feel nothing but pride for the two of you.” He graced the girl with a smile. “Your request is a simple one, yet one that is made with the knowledge that precedent will be set, Kaia. You stand before me, full of courage and fear, yet you do not waiver. You are strong willed and wise, and others should be honored to be in your presence. Kahn, you are an Elder of this clan, as was your father, and his father. You are a great warrior and provider for your hearth. Ullah is a good wife to you and seems prepared to share her hearth with another woman, however, Kaia is not yet a woman. Her knowledge and strength may fool you, but she is not yet of age to marry. Because of this, I will grant Kaia’s request. Kahn, will you accept Kaia’s conditions?”

Kahn was furious. “Hourak, how could you consider the request of an unruly, disrespectful child? She stands before you and our clan, mocking our ways. She should be grateful for all we have given her, and eager to repay our generosity. I will not be shamed by this woman and her mouth.” Kahn was breathing heavily but cut short as Hourak raised his hand to Kahn to silence him.

“Kahn, speak no more of Kaia to me or I shall see fit to challenge your seat as an Elder. You may not speak to me, or any member of the Elders, in that manner. I must point out that you indicated in your rant that you too think Kaia to be a child. She spoke to me in a far more respectful manner than you have today; therefore, my position remains the same. I have approved Kaia’s request, do you accept?”


~~~*~~~



Spike entered Willie’s Bar which seemed a bit quieter than normal. Pulling up a stool at the counter, he raised his hand to Willie.

“Shot of Jack, pint of ox blood, and an answer to my question.” He pulled his pack of cigarettes and his Zippo lighter out of his pocket while he waited.

Willie grabbed Spike’s order and cringed as he approached the vampire. He never knew what to expect from him. Sometimes, just a question. Sometimes a sock in the nose. “What can I do for ya, Spike?” He smiled, hoping that was one of those just a question nights.

“Seen Buffy tonight?” Spike asked as he lit a cigarette.

“No I haven’t, Boss. Haven’t seen her in a few days actually.”

“Heard about anything new in town? A big bad perhaps?” The vampire eyed Willie closely, taking deep drags of his smoke.

“Nope, not a thing. And I ain’t just blowing smoke!” Willie laughed nervously. “Seriously, it’s been quiet in here for days. But if I hear anything I will let you know. Or the Slayer. I could tell her too.”

Spike downed his shot, grabbed the pint and stood up. “Thanks, Willie. I’m gonna ask around a bit. Keep the shots coming.” Placing some cash on the counter, he scanned the room and decided to start with the large green demon in the corner booth. It was going to be a long night.
End Notes:
PLEASE review, a short kind message goes a long way. Don't forget, if you don't want to miss an update, add story to your favorites and receive an email as soon as update is posted. Thanks for reading, and all reviews will be responded to.
Chapter 8 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to PB and Sotia for the beta, and to Xaph for the banner! You guys make this story great with all you do :)
Chapter 8


Spike spoke with several sketchy demons that night and got nothing. Not a shred of information on Buffy, or where she was, or anything new in town. He was starting to panic. The sun was coming up and she had just disappeared. He decided on stopping back by her house on the way to the crypt. Maybe she would have at least checked in on Dawn.

His thoughts wandered through their last visit, looking for anything that could be a clue as to where she might have gone. Instead, he found himself getting choked up. He was beginning to fear that something terrible might have happened to her. She had been so unhappy, so desperate to connect, to get someone to talk to her. What if she… Stop it, don’t even think that way! Spike shoved his fists deep into his duster’s pockets, dropped his head in sadness, and trudged on to Revello Drive.


_______________________




Once more the cave was silent. Kahn’s anger was flowing off him in waves. He was furious at Kaia and now Hourak as well. How dare they both embarrass him in front of the clan? He knew he had to try to calm himself and answer quickly before Hourak spoke again. Taking a deep breath, he stood tall and looked Hourak directly in the eyes.

“I will accept her terms, but I would like Groma to permit me time to get to know my new bride as well. I must be allowed to spend time with her. I would like very much to become more familiar with her, to make her transition to my hearth easier for her. I request this for Kaia, as well as myself.” He grinned creepily at Kaia as he awaited Hourak’s approval. He knew that by phrasing his request to show that it was in the “child’s” best interest, he might sway Hourak in his favor. His right hand once more found his stiffening member as he thought of spending time alone with Kaia.

Groma saw his body language after his statement and considered objecting. She quickly forced those thoughts from her head, fearing that another female speaking out might just be too much for Hourak. Instead, she quickly plotted out the conversation she would need to have with Kaia as soon as they were alone. The cave was still filled with silence, everyone patiently waiting to hear a landmark decision from their leader. Groma once more looked proudly upon her adopted daughter. Kaia’s face and body reflected her strong determination and resolve. She would not be manipulated by those men .

Hourak suddenly noticed Kahn’s perverted actions and knew he might need to protect the child from him. Having already granted his permission, he was regretting it as he watched Kahn out of the corner of his eye.

“Kahn, I will grant your request. However, you will not be allowed to be alone with Kaia till she has moved to your hearth. Groma will supervise any time spent with her, or I— myself—will, depending on our availability as well. Please honor this or I may be forced to rescind my permission of this union. Kaia is a child of the clan, and an important one at that. She will be our medicine woman one day, so her training is of high importance to all of us. With this said, both of you have been heard, and my decisions finalized. May the spirit guide bless you both.”

Hourak stood and faced the clan members. He sharply clapped his hands together three times, which, judging by the actions of the others, meant dinner was over.

Kahn immediately walked over to Groma, and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Groma, you will soon be considered my mother too. Because of that, you too, will always have a place at my hearth. Please consider this as a request to spend time with my new bride. You may join us at my hearth as soon as you like.” He hoped that the woman would consider this a huge honor, having never been invited to any man’s hearth before. He was trying to maneuver Kaia to his hearth as soon as possible.

Buffy cringed, fearing what Groma might say. She knew the older woman was wise and hoped she would stick it to him if given a chance.

Groma had not liked Kahn before all of this, but now thought he had gone too far. Does he really think I would EVER move to his hearth, let alone think of it as a privilege? She roughly removed his hand from her shoulder as she glared into his cold empty eyes. Calmly, and with an air of authority, she addressed Kahn’s moronic suggestion.

“I no more need your invitation, than I would welcome it. I have my own hearth and it has far more value than yours. You should recognize that I intend on letting my decision be known to all, and it will be a direct insult to you that I would never consider becoming a member of your hearth. I am an honored member of this clan, a title that I have earned, not one that was given to me by birth. Be very careful of your actions, Kahn. I am not the only one that doubts your intentions.” With that, Groma took her daughter’s arm and led her back to their hearth.

Buffy laughed internally at the frustration that was playing out on Kahn’s face.

Furious once more, Kahn retreated to his hearth and proceeded to bark out commands to Ullah and anyone in his line of fire.

Once back at Groma’s hearth, Buffy made sure there was no one eavesdropping, then pulled the woman aside, so that they could talk.

“I know you think I may have chosen poorly, but I do have a plan. I felt that this decision might give me some time to either fix this Kahn situation, or let me prepare to leave this cave. Groma, I will need your assistance to accomplish these goals.” Buffy stopped as she noted the older woman seeming strangely calm. She had picked up some dried plants and was plucking small dried berries off and dropping them in an uncorked gourd.

Looking at her child, Groma smiled. “I have never been more proud of anything in my life as I was of you today. You made many wise decisions and acted like a wise Elder yourself. I will assist you in any way I can. I surely hope you have something planned for Kahn, Kaia. If you do not, I will take the task at hand myself. He is not fit to sit as an Elder in my eyes, and I think it’s time for others to see what I see.”

Buffy was amazed that this small homely woman, who just a few hours ago had seemed so broken, was freshly energized, and ready to go into battle. Laughing, she offered, “Groma, feel free to take him on. I have few things I would like to do first. My only request of you is to stall Kahn’s requests to spend time with me. I am hoping I never have to spend one moment with him, and if my plan works like it is supposed to, I never will.”

Groma took her daughter in her arms, hugging her tight. “I will make it my life’s work if I must.”

Buffy was thrilled that all was going according to plan, and even happier when she realized that Kaia had returned. Her energy was almost immeasurable, like she was bouncing around in her head excitedly. Kaia! I’m so glad you’re back! Listen to what I am about to tell Groma, I will need your help to pull this off

Buffy spoke in low tones, hoping no one was listening, as she told Groma what she had planned next. She explained her need to go off and seek a new cave, just in case they needed to leave suddenly; she wanted to secure a new place to go. Once found, that place would be stocked with all the things they would need to survive. Buffy explained that she thought it was wise for her to spy on the males’ training, to learn how they used the tools and weapons, should ever a time come when the knowledge would come in handy.

Groma listened intently, still amazed that a child so young and inexperienced would have not only the knowledge to think this up, but also the ability to put it into motion. She had known from the first time she laid eyes upon this child that Kaia was special. Now more than ever, she was sure of it.


Ullah had watched and listened to her husband be humiliated in front of the clan by Kaia, and swore she would never let that ugly beast ever jeopardize her hearth’s status again. She made her way back to the medicine woman’s hearth, intent on giving them both a piece of her mind. As she approached, she heard nothing. She was sure that she had seen them return, so she walked closer to the hearth, moving as stealthily a possible so that, if they were talking, she might hear them. She could see them as she hid behind a rack of drying hides, and tried desperately to hear the topic of their conversation. She couldn’t hear a word, but what she saw was them whispering and plotting something. She was sure of it as she made her way back to Kahn’s hearth to tell him of her discovery.
End Notes:
Please review, a little goes a long way yo feeding the muse ;). Don't forget to add to favorites so you never miss an update. AND tell your friends!
Chapter 9 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to PB and Sotia for taking time to beta and doing a crazy great/fast job, you two are AMAZING!
Chapter 9


Ullah rushed back to her husband, eager to tell him her suspicions. She knew Kahn had an unhealthy obsession with the child. She had noticed it some time ago. Men didn’t take second wives unless the first was unable to produce a son, or if it would elevate the status of his hearth, or if first wife had died. Since Ullah was still alive, and Kahn had his sons, and he was already an Elder, she felt very threatened. Kahn had chosen Kaia for his own personal pleasure, but seemed to be blind to the fact that this child could be his undoing. Hourak had already warned him as he had given his blessing. Ullah knew her status was in danger too, so she needed to get Kahn to forget this nonsense as soon as possible and would do everything in her power to help him see the error of his ways.

Kahn was still furious. He needed to punish Kaia for embarrassing him in front of everyone. He sat at his hearth and plotted his revenge, angry that his new bride was not sitting next to him, where she should have been. She would never see him coming…

Kahn saw Ullah hurry to him, eager to tell him something, but he was in no mood to hear the ramblings on any woman, let alone a jealous one. Raising his hand to her as she drew closer, he indicated he wasn’t interested.

Ullah was defeated before she even began. She stopped short of the hearth, noting Kahn’s anger and realized he might just take care of this on his own. She only hoped Kahn wouldn’t take too long to fix the problem. She called the children to go to bed, as she set about preparing for the next day. She would keep a close eye on the situation and take over if she had to.

******



Spike reached Buffy’s house to once again find only Tara there. They sat in the kitchen and discussed in depth their fears that something had happened to Buffy.

Spike broke down sobbing at the kitchen counter as he told Tara of Kaia. He knew Buffy hadn’t told any of them, but he was desperate, feeling deep in his bones that something was very wrong. He could swear he could almost sense her nearby.

Tara was unsure of how to comfort Spike. The sight of a master vampire reduced to tears over a cup of hot chocolate was unbearable. Spike had proven himself to Tara after Buffy’s death; proven he was trustworthy, proven he would do anything for Buffy and Dawn, proven he cared for them. She had seen him step into a role of caregiver, protector, and now lover. Waves of fear and frustration now clouded his aura. There was also something strange she saw in it too. Instead of Spike’s aura being contained around his body, it appeared to be streaming or being pulled away from him. It was being pulled toward the floor. She had never seen anything like it before, but she knew something was wrong.


******



Buffy spent the next few weeks plotting and preparing her plan. She had been able to scout out a small cave, high on a hill, with good shelter from the weather and a cool running stream nearby. It was closer to the clan’s cave than she had hoped, but she feared being gone too long and drawing suspicion from others. She had begun to stock it with items from Groma each time she traveled there. Secretly, they worked each evening to make duplicates of all the things they thought they would need in their new home.

On the days Buffy didn’t travel to the new cave, she concentrated on learning more skills for survival. She had watched the men train with the primitive weapons—spears and slingshots. She watched and learned how they made traps and used them to trap animals.

Buffy spoke to Groma nightly about their plan, both always looking over their shoulders to make sure no one was listening. Groma continued her training, which now included teaching her how to take care of a hearth. To any onlooker it would appear that Kaia was being taught to be a good wife to Kahn, and would offer no clue as to what was really going on.

Buffy also spent time learning from Kaia. The girl knew how to prepare the food, to use the tools for gardening, to sew without needles. There were so many things Buffy had taken for granted and she was in awe of what the young girl knew. Buffy had always known she could take care of herself in a fight, but had never felt secure about simple real life things. She had never been one to learn to cook or clean, thinking it was beyond her, but here, it would mean the difference between life and death.

Kaia had known she was different for quite sometime. It was more than just her appearance. She knew she was stronger and faster than any man in her clan, but she had never been allowed to test herself. Women were not supposed to fight or protect others. She didn’t know why the Spirit Guide had made her this way, but she soon began to think she had been blessed with a gift. One she would need to survive.

Buffy told Kaia tales of her life, ones that frightened her terribly. The girl wondered why Buffy would want to go back to a world where demons roamed regularly, and it was her job to protect so many. Her heart broke when Buffy told her of her sister, Dawn. Buffy had died to save her, only to be brought back to life through dark magics. These dark magics were new to her, and she knew they were dangerous, but she wanted to know more.

Kaia wondered if demons roamed her world too. Having never been allowed outside the cave after dusk, she had no idea what came out after dark. She made sure to tell Buffy to ask Groma why the sentries were posted. She had a bad feeling she wasn’t going to like the answer. She had always assumed it was because of animals, but listening to Buffy, she had a feeling there was more hiding under the cover of night.

Groma had been hesitant to tell Kaia of the night creatures, but knew she had to if they were to leave the safety of the cave. The woman suspected one of them might have been the cause of Kaia’s birth mother’s death, and was unsure of how that might affect her.

“Kaia, in my many years on this earth, I have seen many things. Most are good, but there are others that are anything but. Evil has been around for as long as good has, and it is a fact of life. In the dark is where the evil hides. There are creatures, deformed and crazed that come out to feed when the sun sets. They will attack without warning or provocation. Their bite can be fatal, but sometimes things come back wrong.” Groma told a story of a clanswoman who had been found dead after an attack and brought back to the cave for the funeral ritual, only to see her rise from the dead and attack her own family. Her face had become deformed, and she appeared to be starving as she immediately bit them with her newly elongated teeth. “If we are to live alone, we will need to be prepared to defend ourselves. I know that a wooden spear through the chest of one of these creatures will not only kill them, but turn them to dust.” Groma’s head dropped as she mumbled, “I fear we will never be fully prepared to live alone.”

Buffy and Kaia had listened intently, knowing exactly what she was talking about. They also both agreed that they would need to tell Groma about Buffy, and soon. They had noticed Groma becoming frail with worry since the night she had accepted Kahn’s proposal. Maybe if she knew, it would ease her mind a bit. Or maybe, she would think Kaia had lost her mind. Either way, it was time.

“Groma, there is something I have to tell you, or shall I say we, need to tell you.”
End Notes:
Please, please review, and tell your friends. This story has so much to tell and I know you are enjoying by reading the glorious reviews I have received, but based on the hits, many people haven't even tried this story. So homework loyal readers, should you take the challenge. *hugs to all of you*
Chapter 10 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Much thanks to my betas PaganBaby and Sotia, you guys are so great! *wipes tear drop from eye* I'd be lost with out you!
Chapter 10



Tara watched silently as she studied Spike’s aura shift and change. The colors that were once fiery and bright seemed dim and flickering. The Wiccan knew the vampire’s mood could alter the appearance of his aura, but what she was seeing had her deeply disturbed; the grayish tones looked as if a vacuum under the floor was siphoning them off his body, draining what was him away. Spike was in trouble. If Spike’s aura was gone, that meant his life force was in danger too. What could be happening to him? What would have the power to do such a thing? Tara looked at Spike, really looked at him. He somehow looked paler than normal, his cheekbones even more pronounced than usual.

Spike realized Tara was watching him, and quickly stifled his sobs. “Right, then. We need to go over this once more. I think I was the last one to see Buffy.”

He went on to recount exactly what she had been wearing when he last saw her. While he was talking, Tara left the room quickly to return a moment later with a tan suede jacket.

“This one? Is this the one she was wearing?” She handed the jacket to Spike, who immediately inhaled its scent deeply. Buffy…where are you?

Turning the jacket over in his hands, Spike looked for a clue. Then he found one. On the inside of the right sleeve, Buffy had a secret pocket that she kept Mr. Pointy in. She always had it, in case of an emergency. Spike hesitantly touched the worn whittled wood of Buffy’s good luck charm. “Tara, she would never leave the house without this stake. Something bad has happened. Who searched the house?”

“I don’t think anyone actually searched it, Spike. I knew she wasn’t in her room or in here. I just assumed she was out. Oh Goddess, do you think she’s hurt somewhere in the house?” Tara and Spike both jumped up and started screaming out her name, begging her to answer.

Spike flew up the stairs; every door could be heard as he flung it open. Panic was audible in his voice as he called out for her.

Tara looked around the main level, then went out to the small back yard, calling loudly for Buffy. Nothing.

Meeting back in the kitchen, both Tara and Spike were panting and panicked, as they looked to each other for answers. That’s when Tara noticed something about Spike’s aura. The colors had changed once more to a muddy brown. He was standing in front of the basement door, and his aura was being pulled under it. She felt her stomach churn. “The basement. I think she’s in the basement.” She didn’t have time to tell him why she thought that. Spike was already rushing down the stairs, calling for his love once more.

__________



Buffy sat before Groma and looked into the woman’s face. The lines and scars told a story of a hard life, one filled with worry for her adopted daughter. The lines seemed to have deepened since Buffy had arrived. Kaia was there, clinging to the hope that Groma would believe her. She knew what was done to clan members who suffered from delusions, and Groma being the medicine woman, was the one to perform the horrific surgeries. Taking Groma’s hand in her own, Buffy and Kaia were about to tell her everything.

“Let me begin by saying I am not crazy. No matter how crazy what I am about to tell you may sound, please find it in you to trust me, and believe in me.” Buffy struggled with her wording as she remembered the days she had spent in the mental hospital. She suddenly felt all her emotions from that experience flood her mind. The memories were so painful, and now it felt like she was preparing to go through it all over again. She closed her eyes, breathed deeply, and searched for the next thing to say.

Groma watched as her daughter struggled to say the words. Something was very different about her face; her eyes seemed so sad, almost tortured. The woman knew the things the child had ever experienced in her short life could have caused the distress that was evident on Kaia’s face. Something had changed. The older woman had first noticed something was wrong after the girl had fainted. Looking back over the recent events with Kahn, she realized that Kaia’s behavior was very unfamiliar to her. She had known the child to be headstrong, but never confident, and certainly not when faced with the Elders. She should have realized something had happened. “Kaia, I have never loved anyone but you. I trust anything you say to be the truth. I can see you are clearly tortured not only by this secret, but also by your fear of telling me. Child, let go of your fears. Look at me. I want you to tell me whatever you need me to know, and I am prepared to hear it.”


____________




Spike had stopped at the bottom of the stairs. Tara, right behind him, saw his whole body tense and he appeared to be sniffing the air. His aura was now a dusky orange, which was closer to his original red. The Wiccan remained silent as Spike walked over to a corner of the basement where a stack of old cardboard boxes piled high.

“She’s here,” Spike said as he began picking up the boxes and throwing them off to the side as quickly as he could, eager to find her.

Tara immediately jumped to action, helping him move the crates from the corner. When they cleared them out of the way, what they saw surprised them both. There was nothing there.

Spike fell to his knees, clawing at the floor, the wall, sobbing and crying out for the Slayer.“Buffy! Where are you? I know you’re here! Please, pet, say something!”

Silence.

Spike collapsed against the wall, pulling his knees to his chest. “How could I be so wrong?” Looking to Tara for answers, he pleaded, “I can’t lose her again. I know I can feel her here. I smell her scent. Am I losing my mind?”

Tara had been looking around as well and had failed to see Spike’s aura once more change again. It once more seemed to be pulling away from him and into the corner. “Spike, I think she is here. Something mystical is hiding her, but I think she’s right next to you.”


__________



Buffy swallowed and opened her teary eyes to a woman she barely knew. Groma was looking at her with love she couldn’t recognize. She knew that Joyce had loved her, but when she told had told her mother of the vampires, doubt had clouded her mother’s features immediately. Looking to Groma, she prayed she wouldn’t have to relive that moment.

“The face you see before you is your daughter’s face. The voice you’re hearing is your daughter’s voice. But I am not your daughter.” Buffy paused, waiting for Groma’s reaction.

Groma listened intently, her mind filled with memories of her own mother; a woman who had many times told her of magic and mystical things. She had spoken of things yet to come. She was a woman wise in many ways, and was revered by the clan. The same mother who had told her that she would have a daughter of her own one-day. She was to be a powerful child that would be given to her by the spirit guide, a child who would be like no other. As she listened to Kaia speak, she felt no fear, no reason to disbelieve, only the need to hear her out, to ease her torment.

“Go on, child. Tell me what has happened.” She squeezed her daughter’s hand, encouraging her to continue.

Buffy’s tears flowed, not from sorrow, but from gratitude. Groma wanted to hear. Wanted to listen. Buffy looked into the cave woman’s eyes, and saw that nothing had changed. She pulled her into a tight hug, emotions long built-up from her own life spilling out. Sobbing into the woman’s shoulder, she told of her death, her resurrection, and of Kaia’s connection. She told of the spell that brought her there and how Kaia was still within her.

Groma was overwhelmed but overjoyed by the now shared secret. “I now have two daughters who need my love. New daughter, welcome to my hearth. Now what should I call you?”
End Notes:
Please review, they feed my soul ;)
Chapter 11 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
I must thank profusely my betas for this story, Sotia and PaganBaby. You guys with your awesome, quick beta'ing, make this a pleasure to do. And, I must thank my readers. Your reviews spark my muse with every chapter I post. So, to all of you, thanks from the bottom of my heart. *hugs*
Chapter 11



Spike looked to Tara, tears streaming down his face. “I’m not imagining it? She’s really here?”

The pleading look that Spike wore on his face caused a lump to form in Tara’s throat. She could see the powerful emotions he was feeling, they were evident in his aura as well. “Something is being veiled by a spell here in this corner. I can feel it.” Tara hesitated, but knew she needed to tell him what else she could see. “I can also see it in your aura. Spike, I’m really not sure what it means, but your aura is being affected by whatever is in this corner. Not just in color; it looks like it’s being pulled toward something.” She could see the vampire was bursting with questions that she knew she wouldn’t have answers to. “I can tell you, when people belong together, love each other, their auras combine and almost flair when they are near each other. What I’m seeing is that flair… only it’s being pulled off of you.”

Questions fired off inside Spike’s mind, too many to vocalize, as he processed the Wiccan’s observation. Finally, trying hard not to verbally explode on the one person helping him, he stood up, and asked through gritted teeth, “Who did this?”

The Wiccan knew exactly who had done this. She had suspected that Willow knew something when she had rushed out as soon as Tara had arrived home, claiming that she needed to go to the library to study. Looking at Spike, who was furious with anger and grief, she feared telling him. “Let me call Willow. She’s got her cell phone on.”

“If Red did this, after everything Buffy’s been through, and she’s not ok…” A rumbling growl began in Spike’s throat getting louder and angrier by the second. He suddenly turned and struck the concrete wall with his fist, effectively smashing both.

Tara cringed at Spike’s outburst but felt his pain. She herself was beyond angry at Willow. Hurt and disappointed, and scared for her safety, she retreated to the kitchen to call the redhead and get some answers. She better have plenty of them.

Willow looked at her phone vibrating across the table. Her heart began to race after she looked at the caller ID, showing it was Buffy’s home number. Maybe Tara just wants to know when I’m coming home, or maybe she wants ice cream… Slowly, she opened the phone and raised it to her ear. “Hello?”

“Willow, I don’t know what you’ve done, but Spike is here and we know Buffy is still in the house.” Tara’s disappointment in her lover soared as she heard Willow in a panic begin to quickly try to justify what she had done.

“Buffy asked me to help her! She’s going to be fine! I just need to figure out what went wrong, then we can get her back. I’ve almost got it. It’s all I’ve been working on for the last 36 hours. Tell Spike that I will…”

Her girlfriend cut her off. “I will do no such thing. You will get back to this house and unveil Buffy immediately, or Spike will be looking for you himself. Goddess, Willow, what have you done?” Her sobs prevented her from saying anything else. She slammed the phone back in the cradle, and was trying to collect herself as Spike appeared at the top of the stairs.

“Spike, I-I…” She felt weak in the knees, but Spike caught her before she fell and helped her to the couch. Her heart was broken. She could feel the devastation of the ending of her own relationship as well as the fear of what the consequences would be if Willow couldn’t fix this one. She had seen the signs of Willow’s growing problem, but hoped it would never come to this.

Spike was worried about Buffy, and now Tara too. He took a deep breath, took the girl’s hand in his, and squeezed it. He needed her more than anyone else right now. He needed her to be strong, to feel needed, and to use that to help get Buffy back safely. He had heard her on the phone with Willow, and knew Red was on her way there. “Glinda, pet, what did Willow say?”

“She admitted it. Well, she said the spell had gone wrong and she was working on fixing it, and she said Buffy was fine.” Tara looked at the floor, embarrassed by Willow’s actions.

“What spell? Why was she doing a spell?” Spike was becoming more agitated, trying to hide it from her.

Tara looked up at him, meeting her own red, tear-filled eyes with his, and replied, “She said that Buffy asked her to do it.”


__________




Willow was still talking when she heard Tara hang up on her. Her heartbeat had increased tenfold. She had never heard Tara talk to her like that, let alone hang up on her. She doesn’t understand. If I can just get her to listen to me, she will understand, and maybe help me. And she can explain it to Spike too. He will believe her.

Willow had been working on the spell in the old mansion on Crawford Street. There was plenty of space to work and plenty of privacy. Eager to get home and talk to Tara, she gathered up all her notes and supplies. If, for any reason, Tara and Spike are too angry to listen to me, I may need to put a spell on them too. Just until I get this all straightened out. Maybe a forgetting spell. I just need some Lethe’s bramble, which I have back at the house… With her heavy bag slung across her chest, Willow rushed out into the night to get home as quickly as possible to talk to Tara.

__________



Buffy had begun to thrive in her new lifestyle. There were many things she missed—like running water, indoor plumbing and mirrors—but there were things in this world that she didn’t have at home.

Groma and Kaia filled the empty space in her heart left by Joyce, Giles, and all her friends. She had found companionship with these women she hadn’t known she needed. Groma had accepted her, and if she had any doubts, she hid them well.

Kaia gained comfort and confidence because of her newfound friend, something she’d never known.

The days of the following weeks were filled with Buffy telling Groma of her life as the Slayer, her friends and family, and life in 21st century Sunnydale, California. She told Groma of Spike, and how much she missed him. Buffy even opened up to Groma about her fears about her relationship with him.

Groma told stories of her own mother, sharing tales from her childhood, and Kaia listened and learned from them both. Together, they had formed a family.


__________




The sun was high over the bluff as Buffy carried the latest bundle of household items to the new cave. She’d had an opportunity to practice with the slingshot she’d fashioned after the ones the men were using. She was rather good with it, and mentally thanked Giles for his weapons training. Even though he’d never taught her this weapon, he’d shown her how to center her thoughts and aim. She felt pretty confident that, if and when the time came, she would be able to provide meat for her and Groma to eat. The idea would have made her gag a few weeks ago, but it didn’t take long to realize that that was the way things were there. Cute, fuzzy bunny equaled dinner.

The pack of items on her back wasn’t heavy, but her lower back was aching. Must have twisted it or something. She rubbed it with both hands and continued on her way.

The walk was pretty far, but Buffy was always able to make up time on the return by running. Kaia’s long legs combined with her speed were unmatchable. Kaia had been curious for Buffy to test her body’s strength, hoping that she was just as strong as Buffy was in the world she came from. Maybe she was even meant to be a Slayer there, in her own world.

Buffy had begun the trip back, anxious to return before dusk, when the cramps hit. Kaia was confused by this unfamiliar discomfort, but Buffy knew all about it. She had discussed with Groma what they would do when the time came, and now was time to put the plan into action.

Buffy could sense the panic in the girl. Kaia, relax, I know what to do and Kahn will not find out. Please trust me. Buffy’s words silenced Kaia, but she could still feel her anxiety.

Buffy hurried to the stream and quickly removed her crudely fashioned panties, to clean herself up. It felt strange cleaning up someone else’s body, but even stranger, that she was starting to feel as if Kaia’s body was her own. She had been carrying a spare pair in her pack, ensuring that she would be prepared for just this. Groma had told her to return the soiled items to her so she could burn them. Buffy had then told the woman of the ingenious invention called The Tampon which would make her “situation” unnoticeable to the others, unlike the supplies the other women in the clan used. Buffy had taken it upon herself to make these items, and had explained that since they were a foreign item to everyone, no one would suspect even if someone found them.


__________





Ullah was outside beating dusty hides with a long worn pole when she saw Kaia rushing to the cave. It was dusk, the girl was obviously in a hurry, and Ullah planned on finding out why.

She waited until Kaia was out of sight, then wove her way through the other hearths until she could see the girl and Groma speaking at their hearth. She strained to hear anything, even a snippet of a sentence, but nothing. They were definitely keeping a secret. She watched as Kaia retrieved a small wad of what looked like cloth from her pack and handed to Groma who immediately tossed it into the fire.

Ullah could see the paranoia on Groma’s face as she kept looking around, checking to see if anyone was coming toward her. When she was sure whatever had been thrown into the fire was destroyed, she saw that the medicine woman went back to whispering to Kaia.

I knew it! She’s begun her time and they are hiding it! I must tell Kahn immediately!
End Notes:
Please leave a review, even the short one-worded ones are welcome. *wink*
Chapter 12 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Sotia and PB for beta'ing, and to all the readers/reviewers. The nomms are fabulous and the buttons sure are purdy ;)
Chapter 12


Ullah couldn’t get to her hearth fast enough. She ran through the cave, disrupting several things at other hearths along the way and ignoring the complaints of their owners. Kaia was deceiving Kahn, and Ullah wanted him to know. Maybe Kahn would change his mind now and rescind his offer of marriage. Ullah had no intention of welcoming Kaia or the old woman. Kahn was her man, and she was trying to protect him. He needed to be shown that by bringing them to his hearth, he would only be bringing shame to his good name.

She found her mate lounging by the fire on a large pile of furs. Ullah had always been attracted to him, partially because of his status, but also because she liked his virility. But now, knowing that she was no longer what he craved, she was angry and hurt. Why would he want Kaia? She’s the ugliest thing in the cave!

Ullah approached Kahn cautiously after being brushed off last time. Wanting to test the waters first, she didn’t immediately rush to tell him what she’d found out.

“Kahn, I know that Kaia will be joining us soon and wanted to ask you a few questions.” She shuffled about their living area, pretending to be straightening up.

Kahn watched her through squinted eyes. She was up to something. She never cleaned, always leaving that to the children or her own mother. He’d seen her rush from the back of the cave, knowing she’d been spying on Kaia once more. Her jealousy might prove to be a problem he’d have to deal with, but for now, he’d play along.

“Go ahead, you may ask.” Propping himself up on his elbow, he watched her a bit more closely. Once, he had found Ullah the most attractive woman in the cave, but now he found her bordering on repulsive. Her voice grated on his nerves to the point that he normally walked away when she spoke. Her body, though not unappealing, was not the firm, pale flesh of Kaia, that he craved. He was finding it harder each day to be with Ullah, wishing Kaia had already taken her place at his hearth. He planned to do all that he could to make Kaia his first wife, regardless of what it took to make that happen.

Ullah felt his gaze upon her. She knew his look usually meant that he would be pressing her face into the furs soon as he took her from behind. She didn’t mind the roughness, but she wished he could last a little bit longer. “When Kaia arrives, will she be granted permission to sleep with us on our furs? Or will she be given her own furs?”

Kahn thought briefly about his two women sleeping together, touching each other, and he became aroused immediately. He would be fixing that very soon. “Kaia may not be arriving here for some time, I have not decided on the sleeping arrangement yet.” He gave his woman a hand signal, which indicated that she was to assume the position.

A sly smile crept across her face as she climbed onto the furs and presented herself to him. “I just figured since she has begun her cycles, that she would be moving here soon.”

Kahn was preparing to enter her, but stilled as he heard her statement. “What do you know, woman? Tell me everything, now.”

Ullah sat up, figuring he might reward her with more mating time if she told him now. She was wrong.

Kahn listened to her whispered confessions, then began pacing near the fire. Furious that Groma would go against the agreement with Hourak, denying him what was rightfully now his, he plotted his next move. The woman and her daughter would both pay, and he would make sure of it.



__________




Willow paused before she opened the door to the house on Revello Drive, going over exactly what she had practiced saying the entire way home. Surely Tara would understand, but Spike was a different story. He’d been mad at her since the resurrection, and had barely spoken to her all that time.

Looking through the large picture window from the porch, she could see Spike and Tara on the couch. The lace panels on the window obscured her view, making it impossible to read their lips. The body language showed that Tara was upset, and Spike was trying to comfort her. That didn’t bode well for the Wiccan’s plan. Spike definitely favored Tara over her, and he was sure to be mad at her for upsetting her too.

Standing on the porch, Willow decided she needed to cast that spell she’d been considering. Tara and Spike would not want to hear that she was still working on getting Buffy back; they’d want to hear the Slayer was back already. Just need the spell long enough to get the original spell sorted. Then they will be grateful to me, thankful for me sharing my abilities with them. They will appreciate all that I do for them. Let me just pick up some bramble from the Magic Box, then I can just get back to work. Turning to leave, she barely heard a noise, but felt a strong grip on her arm. Turning her head, she saw two angry blonds looking at her.

“Where are you going, Red? I think you need to come inside. You’ve got a bit of ‘splaining to do.” With that comment, the furious vampire jerked her into the house.



__________



Spike dragged Willow to the kitchen and pushed her toward one of the stools. “Have a seat. Now, start with the talking. Where’s Buffy?”

Willow was angry with her body for betraying her by trembling at his words. He might be a master vampire, and have lived over a hundred years, but she was much stronger by far. If he’s wise, he’ll drop the attitude with me now. I’d hate to have to show him who has the real power in this house.

Tara watched from the doorway, tears still streaming down her face. She grieved for Buffy and what the Slayer had to be going through, but she also grieved for the loss of her lover. They were over. Willow had crossed a line, and there was no coming back.

“Spike, Tara, Buffy came to me and told me about Kaia. Do either of you know about her?” Willow was smug, sure that Buffy had trusted only her with her secret, proving her point that she had done the right thing.

Spike nodded. “The little cavegirl, yeah, what of her?”

Ok, so she told Spike. Why would she tell Spike? Spike shouldn’t be all know-y of Buffy things. Shaking off her disbelief, she went on. “Well, Buffy asked me to help her contact Kaia. Which I did. But things didn’t exactly go as I planned. And I’ve been working on bringing her back ever since.”

Tara walked forward, pain etched across her face, “Where is she, Willow? Did you open a portal in the basement? Or is she still here?” The pain was quickly dissolving, being replaced by anger. “What have you veiled in the basement, Willow?”

“Let me say, first, that I never meant for this to happen, and that she is safe. I think.”

Spike vamped out at her statement. “You better be a little bit clearer on your confession, Witch, or this chip won’t be able to protect you.”

“Willow, where is she?” Tara had walked over to Spike’s side.

She’s chosen sides. And she’s not on mine. How could she think I would do anything to hurt Buffy? I brought her back, for Goddess sake! Defeated, even if only momentarily she replied, “Her body’s downstairs, but she’s not in it. I opened a portal, but when Buffy left, her body stayed behind. I tried a locator spell, but it keeps telling me she’s still here, when she isn’t. I’m really not sure where she went.”

Spike was growling, pacing in front of the sink. The only thing protecting Willow at this point was Glinda being there and the island in the middle of the room. I’m going to rip her throat out, and bask in vengeance, chipped or not, as her blood flows down my throat if she can’t fix this! Panting like a wild animal, he growled, “You unveil her immediately. I will take care of her now. Tara, see if you can help her-” he tilted his head towards the redhead, “-get this sorted. And fast. I may not be so forgiving in the morning…”
End Notes:
Please review. Just a few words means so much.
Chapter 13 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks Sotia and PB for betaing, you guys make me look so much better then I am *huggles*
Chapter 13

Tara followed Willow down the stairs into the ransacked basement. The redhead noticed the boxes she had placed around Buffy had been thrown all around the unfinished space, making her trek to the corner difficult.

Spike hung back, not wanting to get to close to Willow. He was afraid he'd grab her by the throat. His blood was boiling, fully aware of what she was becoming. He waited till both witches were in the corner, then moved boxes out of the way, to make a path. He would be taking Buffy out of here as soon as she could be moved.

Tara watched in horror as her lover’s eyes went black, a myriad of black veins beginning to cover her skin as she chanted out her spell. The magic she was using was old and very black itself.

When Buffy’s body first came into view it was transparent, but built mass quickly. She had been propped up against the wall in the corner, sitting partially slumped over, and had an old moving blanket covering her legs. Her skin was pale and her breathing shallow. The only sign of life was her eyes—moving rapidly underneath her closed lids—and the slight rise and fall of her chest.

Spike could hear her heartbeat; slow, but steady. A lump firmly wedged in his throat, he asked Tara, “Can I move her?” A single tear fell from each eye as he waited for the girl’s response.

Willow had finished her chanting and was sitting on the floor, catching her breath. The spell to hide Buffy’s body had been difficult. She could feel her body slowly, gradually, returning to its previous state.

Tara walked around Willow and knelt beside Buffy’s slack body. Picking up her friend’s limp, lifeless hand, she checked her pulse. There was no normal waving aura around the body, only a slight flicker of gold near the surface of her skin. Tara wasn’t sure what it meant, but she sensed that Buffy wasn’t in there. This was just the shell of her friend. “She seems to be ok, kind of like a trance. But Spike, I don’t think her soul is here.”

Terror washed over Spike as his brain tried to grasp what the blonde had just told him. Will Buffy wake from this state soulless? Can her body sustain life without its soul? He rushed to her, roughly tossing the dirty blanket away from his love’s legs. The anger coursing through his veins forced his vampire face to burst forth. Carefully lifting Buffy’s limp body, pulling her close to his chest, he started for the stairs. He growled loudly at Willow before leaving the basement. “I want you out of this house and far away from Buffy, until you can fix this. You know that using dark magick always has a price. What price were you willing to pay, Willow? Were you prepared to lose her again? Well, I’m bloody well not. Get your things, and go work on your spell, wherever it was you were. Tara and I will tend to her body.” Spike choked on his own words. “While you work on fixing this. And don’t come back until you can.” With that said, Spike cradled Buffy in his arms as he took her body to her room.

Tara watched as the vampire gingerly carried his lover up the stairs. His aura blended with what was left of Buffy’s, seeming to cause Buffy’s to burn a little brighter. It looked like his touch improved her state. Maybe Buffy is aware that she’s not in her body and trying to reach out to him. Crying for help… Oh Goddess, she’s lost and is trying to get back. Willow, what have you done?

Willow started to get up, feeling her strength return.

“Sit down.” Tara found strength she didn’t know she had to stand up to Willow.

“But, baby, don’t be mad. Let me explain what happened. I’m really close to figuring this all out, and then you’ll see that I did a good thing.” Willow was walking over to Tara, arms outstretched.

Tara raised her hand, whispering a single word, causing an invisible shield to form around her. “Willow, it’s time for you to go, just like Spike said. Get your things together quickly and leave this house. Your invitation will be revoked until you can prove you’re trustworthy again.”

Willow tried to interrupt, desperate to explain her side, but Tara continued talking, silencing her.

"Willow, you have crossed a line that should never have been crossed. Bringing dark magick back into this home after all that’s happened... You’ve become selfish and careless. You never think of how things will affect others, and you have hurt us all. We cannot consider forgiving you until you have righted your wrong. I suggest that you look for a way to bring her back without the use of the black arts, as you will not be able to use them here. It’s time for you to go.” Tara felt a surge of power, unknown till that very moment, flood her body. She was infused with an inner strength, probably similar to what Willow felt when she practiced her dark magick, but on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

“Tara, please listen to me. I did this for Buffy because she asked me. Why are you siding with Spike? He’s a soulless demon. Chipped, yes, but still a vampire. You trust him more than me? And you trust him with Buffy? Come on, sweetie, drop the shield so we can make up.” She tested the shield’s strength once more, shocking herself badly.

Tara raised her hand once more. “Willow, you have been asked nicely to leave, but if you don’t do it now, I will make you. Once more, get your things.”

Willow felt betrayed. By both of them, but mostly Tara. Gathering her things from the basement, she started for the stairs.

“I need to get some clothes, is that ok with you?" The snotty comment was just a taste of the anger growing inside her.

“Make it quick. Spike and I need to care take care of your mess on this end,” Tara explained as she followed the angry redhead up the stairs to their shared room, prepared to use her own magick if needed.

Tara watched Willow closely as she packed a bag, aware of the muffled sobbing coming from Buffy’s room. Poor Spike. I need to get Willow out of here so I can see if there’s anything I can do to help Buffy.

Willow made quick work of her packing, stopping in the bathroom to get her toiletries. She wanted to get out of the house now; anger was beginning to take over.

Willow quickly descended the stairs, fully aware that Tara was following her, making sure she left. Hand on the front door, she turned toward Tara. “I have my cell on if you can find time to talk to me, maybe even listen to my side of story,” she snapped. “Or just go hang out with that disgusting creature just like Buffy. Maybe you’ve decided to change teams.” Willow’s face suddenly looked more hurt than angry. “I thought we knew each other. You have to know I would never hurt Buffy.”

“Willow, I don’t think you would ever hurt anyone intentionally, but you’ve hurt us all with this spell. I hope you come back soon, with a way to fix this mess. Before something worse happens.”

Willow stared at Tara for a second before leaving, crushed at the turn of events, devastated that the girl had not chosen to take her side. I would have listened to her. Tears threatened to fall as she made her way back to the mansion. At least she had a place to go.

Willow thought about Tara and Spike, and her anger turned to sorrow. She knew she’d never get her ex-girlfriend back after everything, and what she’d said about her changing teams. Willow always knew Tara was strong, but it never occurred to her that she would be the usually sweet girl stood up to. In a way, she was proud, even above her own pain.

Tara would prevent her from entering the house again; she even knew which spell she would use. But Tara lived there, and Willow wouldn’t be able to break it. “She’s mad at me for using magick on Buffy, but it’s ok for her to use it on me?” Willow was talking to herself as she reached the mansion. She had already set up the main living area with all of her magick supplies; candles were everywhere, just waiting to be lit. She even had some food there. She knew that there were beds left over from when Angel had set up house, so she figured she’d be comfortable sleeping there too if she needed. Sleep was really the furthest thing from her mind, however, as she approached the long table with what looked like something from a science lab. “Maybe I can veil the black magick so that Tara won’t know that’s what I’m using. Yeah, that’s what I’ll do. No need to start all over, I know I’m close.”


__________




Buffy’s sleep that night was filled with strange, disturbing dreams. Kaia felt them too. She dreamt of Spike. She woke remembering very little, but what she did remember, was an overwhelming feeling of grief. It made her homesick for all she’d left behind.

She didn’t have time to be thinking about Sunnydale or anything in it right now; there were much more pressing matters at hand. She feared anyone finding out about Kaia’s period arriving, and their new cave wasn’t quite ready yet. What she really needed to do was plan a night trip to investigate whether or not Groma’s stories were true. She also wanted to test Kaia’s reflexes in full fighting mode if possible.

“Groma,” Buffy whispered.

Groma looked up from her early morning tasks. “Yes, child, what is it?”

Buffy moved closer to her so that she didn’t have to speak up. “I want to stay in the cave tonight. I need to see what dangers we will face as the darkness falls, but it would also allow me to be away from prying eyes while it is my time. Do you think I could pull it off? I mean, do you think there’s a way for me to do it with out alerting Kahn?” Buffy was helping Groma with her tasks, just as she had done every other morning since her arrival. Only now, she did them as routine. She enjoyed working with the woman, learning the way of her people. Sunnydale was fresh in her mind, making her realize that even despite the stress Kahn was causing, she was still more at ease there than in her everyday life back at home.

“I will arrange it, if you are sure you can handle whatever you may face.” Groma looked to her with concern.

“Not only am I sure, but I’m looking forward to it.”
End Notes:
Please review, it feeds the muse...
Chapter 14 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks Sotia and PB for the lightening fast beta job, you guys are the bestest!
Chapter 14


Groma packed Buffy’s bag as they prepared for their day, collecting roots and herbs outside the cave, making sure to include extra food for Buffy’s stay in the new cave. She was nervous, but she understood this needed to happen, and soon.

Clouds covered the sun most of the day, leaving an ominous feeling in the air. Buffy and Groma went about their normal daily gathering until mid afternoon, when the older woman gave her the nod.

They had worked out how Buffy would get away. The nod meant it was time for her to be heading back to the cave, only to circle back through the nearby woods and continue her trek to the new cave. Groma would pile the furs high at their hearth, making it appear like Kaia had retired early. If questioned by Hourak, Groma would say Kaia was feeling ill, and that her time was possibly near, figuring that Kahn would be excited to hear that news.

Buffy made sure that she was seen heading back, walking in the open among the other cave residents. As soon as she was sure no one was watching, she hurried back into the woods. She hoped to make it there before nightfall. She had been able to whittle a few decent stakes at the hearth, the past few nights, and they were hidden in her pack, ready when and if needed.

To make sure she wasn’t creating an obvious path, she took a different route each time she traveled to her new lodgings. There were risks to not having a regular path too, she knew, and she hoped her senses would still work in Kaia’s body. She had felt a familiar tingle at the back of her neck once before, and hoped she hadn’t imagined it. She was actually looking forward to something normal from her real life, and dusting her first vamp here fit the bill.

__________



Kahn had been lurking just inside the cave entrance, watching for Kaia to return, hoping that she might be alone. He was trying to memorize their schedule, needing to find a time when, if Kaia was missing, no one would know to even go looking for her.

Just when he was growing bored watching all the productive members of the clan, he spotted her, her white blond hair, flowing behind her as she hurried toward the cave. He hid his body from view, but made sure he could still see her. She was getting close, so he retreated to the shadows, anxiously awaiting her to enter the cave. When she didn’t appear, he quickly looked again, only to find her rushing off into the woods. Grabbing a hide drying on a rack in the sun, he took off after her. A devious smile crept across his face as he stealthily followed her into the shaded forest.


__________



Tara stood, right hand on the door, as Willow walked away from the house. This had been their home, and Tara knew things could never be the same. Her heart broke as she recounted all the good memories they’d shared within those walls, only to be tarnished by the bad ones they were encountering now. The Willow she knew was gone.

Wiping away her tears, she cast the spell against her one true love, preventing her from entering again, then added a clause to her spell, preventing anyone from ever lifting it. Should Willow’s heart be true, and should she come back seeking forgiveness, she would be given permission to cross the threshold once forgiven by all who resided within.

She realized she would need to discuss with Spike whether Dawn or either of them had to be protected as well, but it wasn’t the time for that. For the moment, they needed to see what—if anything—they could do for Buffy.

On the top landing, Tara stopped to listen for Spike, cautious in case he wanted privacy with Buffy.

Spike wiped the tears from his eyes, and gently kissed his Slayer’s mouth, hoping that she would stir just a bit, give a sign she was still in there, but nothing happened. Spike hoarsely whispered, “Please, luv, come back to me. I need you…” He heard Tara in the hallway.

“Come in, Glinda.” Seeing the questioning look in her eyes, he added, “Vampire hearing, remember? ”

She smiled, glad that he had stopped crying. Buffy had been changed into a clean nightgown, and tucked into her bed. Spike had washed her face and brushed her hair. She looked like she was just asleep.

“She looks like…” Tara began, only to have him complete her sentence.

“Sleeping Beauty. I know, and no, a kiss didn’t wake her.” Spike tried to smile, knowing Tara was going through a lot too. “Her heartbeat is strong, steady. I don’t know what more I can do for her. At least here she will be more comfortable.”

Tara wasn’t sure what to do first. “Spike, I need to do some research about her aura, but I also need to research more about tracking her. I need you to tell me everything that you know about Kaia. Maybe I can figure a way to get a message to her. Maybe she has seen Buffy. I’m grasping at straws, but maybe one will pan out.”

“I have faith in you, Tara. Have a seat and let’s start with what I do know.” Spike sat on the edge of the bed, offering the upholstered chair to her.

The vampire told her about the dreams Buffy had shared with him shortly after her resurrection. He told her about Kaia, and the cave, and the clan. He shared that Buffy had been convinced that Kaia was in trouble and needed her, that the Slayer had been a type of guardian angel to the girl after she died. He also told her that, somehow, Buffy had still been receiving the messages from Kaia in the form of dreams after she’d been brought back. “I don’t know of anything else. Does that give you enough to go on? Please tell me you have an idea…” The lump in his throat had returned.

Tara’s face beamed. Not only did she have an idea, but she knew exactly how to proceed. It wouldn’t be easy, but she would do it.

“Spike, I need to speak with the Oracles. I will need to cast a locator spell for their nearest portal, but they should have all the information we need to find her. The Powers That Be will help if they want their champion back.” Tara was happy she could help Buffy, but a bit anxious of talking to the Oracles. She’d never communed directly with a higher power, but her time had come.
End Notes:
Pweeeeese review, I need to know what you guys think!
Chapter 15 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to PB and Sotia for betaing, you guys rock :) And Xaph for the awesome banner!
Chapter 15


Tara sat at her computer, staring at her browser screen, not really sure of what to do first. Normally, she would have asked Willow what to do, or the redhead would have already done it. That’s how we got in all this trouble to begin with. Goddess, why didn’t I see this side of Willow before it got this bad? Stop it, focus. Now, what should I do first? Angel. He will know how to get in touch with the Oracles.

She knew the address book in Joyce’s old desk had his number under Hyperion Hotel. Tara dialed his number and listened as the phone rang repeatedly.

Angel finally answered. “Angel Investigations; we help the helpless. Angel speaking…”


“H-Hello, my name is Tara and I’m a friend of Buffy and Willow’s.”


“Do you need help? Is Buffy ok?”


“Well, yes, and no. It’s a long story, but I will cut to the chase. I need information to locate the Oracles, to help Buffy. Willow used some magic on her that didn’t exactly go right, and now I need their help to find her.”


“Find her? What the fuck did Willow do? I’m on my way…”


“No, Angel. I just need information right now. There’s nothing more you can do to help. Buffy’s body is here and being protected. Spike’s with her now. I’ve cast a spell over the house only allowing residents to enter.” Tara lied, knowing Buffy wouldn’t want him there and figured that the ensuing Angel versus Spike testosterone battle wouldn’t be good for anyone. Buffy was the one who mattered, and she was with the people who could care for her the best.


“I don’t understand. Her body is there? He’s living there now, isn’t he? Weaseled his way into her life, just like I knew he would. I can’t believe she trusts him!” he growled in response.


“Yes, Spike is here. He’s with her body now, but Angel, her soul is missing and I don’t need all this ex boyfriend… shit. It’s a really long story, but I need the Oracles’ help. Can you help or not?” Tara had shocked herself by cursing, but she needed Angel to focus on helping her or find someone else who could.


“Yeah, I think I can. They have a location here, but I think you can actually cast a locator spell on them. I know it sounds too easy, but if you need them, you will find them. I can come, help out, or even better, I can come and bring you all here so you can all be safer and I could take you to them. I know them, you know.” Angel had a pleading tone to his voice.

“Really, Angel, no. We need to do this here and now. Thanks but no thanks.,” Tara told him firmly.

“I will tell you, bring a gift when you go to them. Makes them happy, and is kind of part of the deal. Try it and let me know, ok? And if you need anything else, Tara, please call,” Angel said reluctantly.

“I will. And thanks, Angel.”


Tara hung up the phone and immediately went to work on the spell, setting up on the coffee table.


Spike had heard the entire conversation from Buffy’s room. Smiling to himself, he whispered to Buffy, “Glinda, the good witch, has everything under control. We’ll find you, pet… and soon. I promise,” as he placed a soft, sweet kiss on her cheek.


Angel paced the lobby of the Hyperion, thinking back to their last meeting, feelings of confusion washing over him. He knew Buffy had moved on, but she hadn’t admitted that it was with Spike. Why him? What’s he got that I don’t? Oh, right. No curse. No soul, either…


He returned to his office, anxious to talk with Cordy and Wes about the latest Sunnydale news, but resigned to keep it to himself. He didn’t want to hear all the flack about brooding over Buffy. He stared at the phone, hoping someone who actually needed his help would call.


Tara’s spell worked perfectly, indicating that she could find who she was looking for at the Sunnydale movie theater. Happy and excited, she rolled up her map. Now, what in the world do you bring as a gift to Oracles?


__________



Buffy was making her way through the darkening woods, nervous and on alert, when she heard a noise behind her. Slowly, she removed her pack and produced her newly sharpened stake. She hoped she was prepared for whatever beastie would jump out at her.


When she didn’t hear or sense anything, she figured it had just been her nerves. Probably just a branch breaking, or an animal.


Kahn stopped dead in his tracks. He’d heard the noise too, and he knew they would be hunting. Maybe I won’t have to take care of her; she’s going to feed herself to the blood drinkers! Kahn slowly made his way back to the edge of the woods, keeping her in his line of vision, but wanting to be as far away from the attack as possible. He knew there was still enough sunlight to protect him, if he was out of the shaded woods.


The darkness was now surrounding her, and she felt a familiar tingle at the back of her neck. Stake gripped tightly, she slowly spun around looking for whatever prehistoric vampire was stalking her. “Come out, come out, wherever you are! I want to show you my new, futuristic pokey stick!”


Suddenly, she was surrounded. Five creatures, like nothing she had ever seen before, were slowly advancing on her from every angle. Her heart was pounding. What the hell are these? Their skin was grey and pulled tight against their skeletal bodies. Their eyes were sunken, all red and catlike, and they had pointed ears and a mouth filled with razor sharp pointed teeth. They were growling as they approached, the crudely sewn hides they had on looked similar to what the men of the clan wore. She recognized their mouths, however… She remembered a mouth that looked like that very well. One very similar was the first to ever sink its teeth into her. These were vamps, and of the same breed as the Master.


Buffy was eager and excited to slay, and charged the first one. She plunged her stake into his chest, and nothing happened. The vamp swatted her away like a rag doll, right into the waiting path of another vampire. They were strong, stronger than any vampire she’d ever fought, and staking them didn’t work.


The second vampire grabbed her from the ground and leaned in to bite her, only Buffy was able to break free from his grip. She quickly plunged her stake into both sides of its chest. Maybe two hearts, or maybe it’s on the other side here. Nothing happened. She was hoisted up over its head and tossed against a tree.


Kahn watched, surprised that Kaia wasn’t dead yet, but knowing she wouldn’t last much longer. He would blame Groma for her death, since she’d sent the girl out after dark into the woods. The tale he would tell would make him sound like a hero, one who watched his love die because of the old woman’s stupidity. He grinned. This was even better then he could have hoped for. His hands would be clean, and both Groma and Kaia would be punished. He looked to the sky, and silently thanked the spirit guide for fixing his problems.


Buffy was hurt. Confused on how to kill them, she struggled to fight back. Their strength was like nothing she’d ever come up against in Sunnydale, but Kaia’s strength rivaled her own. So much so, that she forgot she wasn’t in her own body. That’s it! Kaia’s a slayer too! Maybe we can somehow do this together. Kaia, I need you, you must try to help me. Her body was slammed against another tree, knocking the wind out of her. She collapsed onto the ground, fighting to breathe, as they closed in on her.


Like a slap to the face, Kaia spoke to her. Buffy, it’s their head. You must remove the head. When clan folk were attacked by the blood drinkers, they would always remove their heads at burial. This must be why. Quick, I think I can help.


Adrenaline pumped through her body, energizing her like never before. She rose from the ground and prepared herself for the fight of her life. Together, they would fight them.


The first Vamp attacked from her left, diving toward her. She moved, causing him to miss and fall face first into the weeds. She quickly straddled his back and grabbed his head with both hands. A fast, severe twist and his neck snapped, and she found her hands covered in dust.

The rest roared as they watched their comrade turn to dust, and charged her.

Beaten, but not down, Buffy, with Kaia’s help, fought the remaining vampires.


Kahn watched, his mouth open in awe. He had never seen any man fight like that, nor had he ever seen anyone kill a blood drinker. It looked like she knew exactly how to kill them. He felt his cock swell once more as he watched her fight. He wanted her more now than ever before. I will have you, Kaia. You will be mine. His hand wove its way under his loincloth as he silently watched the girl fight for her life.


The last vampire’s neck broke, just as her strength gave out. She had survived, but her body had paid a hefty price. Beaten and bloodied, she crawled over to the base of a large old tree. She knew she needed to get moving, but she didn’t have the energy to make the trip yet. I’ll just rest for a few minutes… She closed her eyes, still panting, unaware that she was being stalked by a different kind of predator.


Kahn nearly came as he watched her defeat the last of the pack. Kaia was a warrior. A woman warrior, who would soon be his. He watched her appear to pass out from exhaustion under the tree, and made his move. Today, she would be his.
End Notes:
Dont for get to toss the virtual coin in my hat, I really want to know what you think...
Chapter 16 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to PaganBaby and Sotia for beta'ing, you guys rock!
Chapter 16



Angel sat brooding at his desk, waiting for Wesley and Cordy. He heard the front door open as they came strolling in, bickering.

“Do you really believe that he would ever cross that line again?” Cordy asked as she sipped her expensive latte.

“I know that we should be looking into ways to either prevent it from happening, or contain him if we should ever have to. We must look out for ourselves as well as others.” Wesley juggled his laptop bag and coffee as the door swung into him.

When Cordy didn’t respond, Wesley looked up and saw an irritated vampire glaring at him. “Angel, good evening. I say, look at the time… I should get to work researching that… demon.”

“Yes, that demon… Right there with you, Wes. Time to hit the net for info,” Cordy said, following Wesley into the office.

“Wait, you two. I need to talk to you about something.”

“Does it have to do with a certain blond slayer, and a curse? ’Cause, we’ve been thinking about that too…” Cordy started, but was cut short before she could finish her sentence.

“No—Well, yes, in a way. No curse issues, so quit worrying about that. I got a call from Sunnydale. Willow’s been dabbling in the black magick and has done something with Buffy. Her body in is Sunnydale, but her soul isn’t. I have no idea what she’s done, but Spike is watching over her body, and Willow’s girlfriend, Tara, will be contacting the Oracles for help. Did I know Willow was gay?” Angel looked to them with a serious expression on his face.

“Yeah, I think I told you. What do we need to do from this end?” Cordy picked up a pad of paper and started scribbling notes to herself. “Did Tara ask for anything specifically?”

"Good Lord, Willow's a... a... Not that there's anything wrong with that..." Wesley choked out.

"Yes, Willow is batting for the other team, Wes. Let's focus." Cordy motioned for Angel to continue.

“She didn’t ask for anything. As a matter of fact, she gave me the brush off.” His ire was hard to stifle. “For some reason, she didn’t want me there. But, there’s no way I wouldn’t at least supervise what those kids are doing with Buffy.” There was no way anyone but him knew the best course of action. Ignoring Cordelia’s roll of the eyes, he went on. “She may need me and I want to be nearby when that happens. I’m planning to drive back to Sunnydale and keep my eyes and ears open.” Now Wes was rolling his eyes too, but Angel wouldn’t pay him more attention than he did Cordy. “I should be able to stay at the mansion on Crawford Street without anyone being the wiser,” he concluded smugly. He was sure he had read the situation right, Spike and his silly Sunnydale crew were in over their heads, and Angel wanted to be there to not only save the day, but to rub it in his Childe’s face. He was also sure that Tara must be naïve and had been fooled into trusting Spike. He needed to save Buffy and put Spike in his place.

“Angel, are you sure you should leave Angel Investigations? Business has been good lately; you are needed here. Besides, Spike and Tara should be able to handle this from there. I’m sure we’ll be the first they call if they need help.” Wesley did his best Giles’ impersonation by taking off his glasses and rubbing away imaginary smudges.

Angel turned and started walking up the stairs to his room to pack. “You’re wrong. Both of you. And I believe you’ll find that out soon enough.”



__________




Willow sat on the couch staring at the burn mark on the wall, wondering once again where she’d gone wrong. Scorch marks were everywhere, among the broken glass, shards of wood, and bent metal.

“I must be getting close. There’s no way I can’t get this right.”

She stood and shuffled over to the long table once more. Picking up a large, shiny, black stone, she caught her reflection on its surface. Her hair was now dark, and not returning to its original red hue, and the dark veins looked like she had them tattooed all over her body. Willow shrugged, figuring it was the price she had to pay for doing a favor for her friend.

“I hope she realizes all I went through for her when she comes back. She’s probably having a great time with that little girl, like a vacation.”

Her spell books were open all over the table, surrounded by vials and bowls of various things only available in the black market. There were several different skulls and what looked like a freshly killed rabbit lying between large, lit candles. The wax had melted onto its fur, causing it to adhere to the table, and its eyes had been sewn shut.

Willow stood near the rabbit once more, calling on any dark lord to assist her in bringing Buffy back. Her eyes were now as solid black as the shiny rock she held in front of her face, as she began to chant.

“I demand all who can hear to assist in the location and return of the soul of the Slayer. I call on you to show me where she is, and open a door to reach her. Is est viccis pro suus ut reverto!

The chandelier in the foyer of the mansion began to sway again, as the swirling winds rushed through the broken windows of the long abandoned building. A demonic roar filled the air as the ground started shaking. A red horned beast appeared on the stone’s surface, and threw its head back and laughing at Willow.

“You should have known better than to dabble in practices you aren’t trained in, stupid witch. You have yet to pay the price! Or will the Slayer pay the price for you?” His laughing continued as the stone exploded, cutting long bleeding gashes into Willow’s face, and shattering half of the table, sending its contents flying.

Willow collapsed on the floor, fighting to keep conscious, unaware that Angel had been just outside and had seen the entire spell and its huge backfire.


__________




Angel had arrived in Sunnydale just after midnight, and had made his way through town to the mansion. He’d been surprised to find it inhabited, and even more so by Willow. He hadn’t recognized her at first, but as she started to speak, he recognized her voice and her plea.

He waited to see if she was all right, before driving himself to Revello Drive to share his findings with Tara and Spike. Plus, he wanted to see Buffy for himself.


__________



Angel had to park across the street, as Spike’s DeSoto took up the only available space behind Joyce’s old Jeep. Buffy’s bedroom light was on, and Angel could see Spike through the sheers that blurred the view. There were lights on in all the lower level rooms, and he could detect movement in the dining room. He got out of his car, and made his way to the front door. He pushed the doorbell and waited.

Having sensed Angel was near; Spike had made his way downstairs, before he even heard the doorbell. He had peeked in on Dawn in her room; she was sleeping with her headphones on. He waited for the ring, and then sing-songed, “Be right there!” as he stood picking at the flaking nail polish on his fingers.

“Open the door Spike. I want to see Buffy, and we need to talk about Willow.”

Spike opened the door and leaned on the inside of the doorjamb. Smirking, he greeted him, “Top o’ the morning to ya, Liam. How is it that you find yourself in SunnyD at this hour?”

Angel tried to push Spike out of the way, only to find there were wards on the house. Strong ones. He brushed himself off like he had dirtied his hands, and looked into the kitchen at a blonde he’d never seen before. “Spike, I need to speak with you and Tara. Can you let me in?” He looked to the kitchen, but the girl he assumed was Tara had disappeared.

Spike looked at an invisible watch on his arm, “Hmmm well, it’s a bit late. Maybe we could reschedule. Say tomorrow, at high noon? How does that sound?”

Angel growled and his fangs erupted. “This is no time to be playing games, Childe. Willow is out at the mansion, practicing the blackest of magicks, calling on demons from the underworld for help. Someone needs to do something about her!”

“Well, big and broody, we are working on the Oracles’ gift right now, and to be honest, Willow is a big girl. She can take care of herself, and if she can’t, well… Let’s just say, I have another bird I am a little more concerned with right now. But, hey, if you feel up to the challenge, you go right ahead. If you insist on helping, I am putting you on “Willow patrol”. We are a little busy here taking care of Buffy and preparing for the meeting with the Oracles.” With that, Spike shut the door on Angel’s surprised face and went to check on his girls. Tara, Dawn, and Buffy were his only concerns right now, but he had to admit that it was fun chatting up Angel on the porch. He was concerned about what Willow was doing, but he needed to focus on Buffy. Tara had wards on the house if Willow was focused on them, and Angel might actually be a help.


__________



Angel stood there dumbfounded and furious. Were they all turning their back on Willow? Judging by what he had seen, Willow was capable of doing great damage, and Spike was being foolish to ignore that. Buffy surely wouldn’t like that. Figuring he might earn some brownie points with Buffy, he made his way back to the mansion to save Willow from herself, just like he had done with Faith. He would take her back to LA with him and help her. Be the do-gooder that he wanted Buffy to see.


__________



Buffy had dozed off for just a second when she was awakened by a twig snap. Quickly she was on her feet, ready for another battle. No tinglies, probably just an animal.

Her heart was racing in her chest as she started on the way back. She needed to make it to the creek before it was too dark to see at all. She was healing, but she was a mess.

At the water’s edge, Buffy stripped Kaia’s body and waded out into the waist deep water, splashing her wounds to clean them. She rubbed the blood and filth from her skin and washed away her primitive feminine hygiene products, too tired to collect and burn them.

__________


Kahn watched Kaia strip herself of her hides and walk into the water. The moon highlighting her skin to the most beautiful pale shade of blue made him realize that she would be his that night. There, by the water, he would take what she’d been trying to deny him.


Latin translates to: It’s time for her to return.
End Notes:
Don't forget to review! I need to know what you thought!
Chapter 17 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to PB for the beta, you SO rock!
Chapter 17



Kahn quickly unlaced the hide tunic he wore and lifted it over his head. The walk to the creek was short, his excitement evident under his loincloth. Buffy’s back was to him as he approached, the rushing water hiding any sounds he may have been making. He slipped silently into the water, reducing the distance to her.

Buffy heard his labored breathing and turned just as he grabbed her. His rough, hairy arms encircled her as she struggled to get free. Her high-pitched screams were unheard as he dunked her under the water. Her feet slid off his legs as she tried to get some leverage under the water, finding she could no longer feel the bottom of the creek.

“Shut your mouth, or I will shut it for you. No one will hear you out here, other than the blood drinkers, so unless you want to fight them again…” Kahn had walked her over to deeper water, and held her tight to his body. One arm covered her chest and trapped arms while the hand of his other arm had covered her mouth.

Buffy refused to stop screaming, or fighting to free herself, hoping she'd be able to slip away in the dark flowing water. She bit down on the inside of his palm. She tasted his blood before he let go of her. She realized why the vamps had attacked her just then, as she tried to make it to the water’s edge in the current. The blood. They smelled the blood, and now they'll smell his. Kaia sank into the background. She couldn’t deal with Kahn’s attack, and Buffy didn’t want her to. Stay away, as much as you can, Kaia. I will take care of this. Buffy felt the need to shield her, to protect her from this. She felt this was why she was called here. Here was her chance.

Her feet finally found the sandy floor below and she was able to make it to the beach. She fell on the rocky ground as Kahn tackled her. Her face cut by a rock, she began to panic. Their blood scent was surely in the air now and she was weak, too weak to fight off another pack.

“You think you could trick me? I know your time arrived, and you agreed to the marriage in front of the whole clan. Now, I won’t be gentle for your first time. Now, I take what is mine!” Kahn roughly flipped Kaia’s body over, forcing her legs apart, pinning her arms behind her back.

Buffy felt her shoulder dislocate under Kahn’s weight. She could barely fill her lungs under the pressure.

“No… Stop… Please…” Buffy choked out the words as she felt Kahn rip his loincloth off, and his hardened penis began poking at Kaia’s young body. “Kahn, please... Don’t do this…” She knew it was coming, and she braced herself for the intrusion. She grieved for Kaia, losing her virginity in this way, not being able to prevent this. She wept, knowing she had failed her. The first thrust caused blinding pain to fill her. He grunted into her wet hair, as he quickly pounded his way toward his climax. She knew he wouldn’t last much longer. She looked around for an escape, anything she could use as a weapon, but the sun had set.

A final painful thrust, and he was done. His body trembled atop of hers then relaxed. It was just the moment she had waited for. Using all the strength she could muster, she shoved him off of her, scrambling to get away quickly.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he said as he closed his large hand around her ankle.

Buffy kicked with every ounce of adrenaline she had left, her foot hitting him square in the head. His head snapped back, a popping noise echoed into the night. He fell to the ground, still. She had broken his neck.

Buffy looked at his motionless body on the ground, terror coursing to every cell of her body. She had killed a human.

Stunned and shocked, Buffy numbly grabbed her clothing, quickly dressing her broken body. She needed to get to her cave before more vamps found her. She needed to heal, but she needed to be safe.

Buffy felt the tingles as she made her way through the woods. She was almost to the cave, so close to safety. Please let me make it through the night…

The steep climb up to the cave entrance was difficult, her shoulder still dislocated, she held her arm close to her body, using her one good arm to do all the work. There was no evidence of vampires behind her, as she lifted herself into the opening.

Buffy was trying not to think about the rape, but she couldn’t hide from it. As the Slayer, she never imagined that any man, let alone a human would have overpowered her, forced themself on her. She needed to rest and recuperate. Kaia was her main concern, and she needed to be at her best to protect her. Banishing her fears temporarily, she decided dwelling on the horror of what had happened wasn’t good for either of them. How would she be able to protect her if she fell to pieces?


Buffy was thankful she had stocked the cave with wood, as she quickly got a fire going. The heat was welcome as was the knowledge that the fire was a weapon. Exhausted and still in shock, she managed to get herself onto a hide near the fire before she passed out.




__________




Groma paced at the main entrance after dinner. She had noticed Kahn was not at dinner and heard Ullah whisper to another woman that he was probably out with Kaia, seeing that they were both missing. Groma was originally planning on telling anyone who asked that Kaia was ill, but Ullah had already told everyone that she had seen Kahn follow her into the woods. She was worried, correction, she was scared to death at what Kahn might have done to Kaia.

Hourak placed his hand on her shoulder, startling her. “Groma, I’m sure she’s ok. Kahn wouldn’t do anything to hurt her… At least I hope he wouldn’t. Kaia is special, and I will do everything in my power to protect her. When the sun breaks, I will send out men to look for them. For now, please come back to the fire. It’s far too cold for you here.” Hourak place his arm around Groma’s shoulders and led her back to his seat at the hearth.

Please let my daughters be safe… Groma prayed to her spirit guide, promising never to ask for anything else should she see fit to grant this one request.



__________




Angel’s drive to the mansion gave him little time to think. He was furious that Spike thought he could dictate what he was going to do, prevent him from doing what he came to Sunnydale to do. Save Buffy.

Right now Willow was more of a threat than Spike, so she topped the to-do list. I will deal with that childe of mine later, and he won’t forget his place again.



__________



Spike checked on Tara. She was in the kitchen working on the gift. Deeply involved in her project, she waved him off before he could even ask if she needed help. “Right, well, if you need me, I will be upstairs with Buffy.”

Spike popped into Dawn’s room and carefully removed the headphones from her head and covered her with the comforter. He was glad she seemed to be taking this so well. But why wouldn’t a green swirling ball of energy, whose recently resurrected sister had slipped into a coma, because her friend the witch’s spell had misplaced her sister's soul be considered a problem. Closing her door, he prepared himself to see Buffy’s lifeless body again.

He missed her. Being with her helped, but he longed to see those sparkling green eyes, the smiles that had secretly belonged to him, and the gentle touches that were his alone.

Her door was left open, just in case she woke up… or cried out. Spike had arranged her like she was sleeping, curled on her side, comfortably like she always slept. He thought she looked more… lifelike. He shuddered at that thought. Sitting in the chair by her bed, he brushed the tendrils of hair that had fallen across her face behind her ear. His heart ached for her to wake up and just say anything. But she was silent. The only sign of life was the slow, steady rise and fall of her chest.

He opened the book he’d found in Joyce’s room, an old love story, and settled in to read for a while, when he felt the pull.

Something was wrong; he could feel it in his bones. Buffy was hurt or distraught, or in danger. He couldn’t pinpoint what it was exactly, but she was reaching out to him. He considered calling to Tara, but knew there was nothing she could do. Tara needed to finish her project and go see the Oracles.

He climbed into the bed with her, spooning her, whispering unheard words of encouragement into her ears. He wept as he held her, frustrated at his inability to help.



__________




Angel stood in the shadows of the mansion’s courtyard. He could see Willow clearly through the archway into the house. Her bruised and battered body was still covered by the black veiny marks. He’d seen people tempted by the dark magicks in his lifetime, but he’d never seen anyone in this deep still retain any semblance of humanity. Was she fighting the draw? Was she strong enough to use it without giving in to them, the demons who would bargain to give you the power you seek? The price was always too high, your soul.

She was sitting on the couch, head down, mumbling to herself. Angel didn’t want to startle her, but it was now or never.

“Willow? Can I come in?” Angel stepped into the light.

Willow slowly turned her head, and lifted her right hand to point at him. A stream of blue crackling electricity flew out and wrapped around Angel’s torso, binding him and lifting him into the air.

“No, you may not, Angel. I’m a bit busy here, if you hadn’t noticed,” she said, standing.

“Willow, let me go! I came here to help you. I know about Buffy. Now, if you’ll let me down, we can talk about this.” Angel hadn’t expected her to react that way. His only experience in reformation was Faith, and she liked to fight. That was something he was prepared to do, but he had no defenses against magick. He realized that about the time he was struggling against his bindings, hovering over the mansion’s foyer.

Willow cocked her head to the side as she folded her arms over her chest. “Nope. Not gonna happen. I’m pretty sure no one invited you to the latest SunnyD party, and I’m really not in the mood for your “holier than thou” attitude. I think you need to go home, forgetting all about whatever you’ve seen.” She dipped a hand into her pocket, producing a dust, which she quickly blew off her flattened palm in Angel’s direction. “Forget…” she whispered as the shimmering dust surrounded his head.

Angel coughed, foolishly thinking he shouldn’t breathe it in, but the effect was immediate, as soon as it touched his skin.

Willow watched as the scared look on his face was replaced with one of confusion, then released his bindings. Angel fell to the floor, dazed and confused.

Standing up, he looked around the mansion, and then to Willow. “Hey, Willow. What am I doing here?”

“You must have taken a wrong turn on the expressway. Just get back in your car and press the little picture of a house on your GPS and the car will tell you how to get home.” Willow laughed as Angel dusted himself off and left without question. That will take care of him for a while. Now, back to work.


__________



Kaia woke Buffy, panicked. The fire’s out! Wake up! The sun isn’t up yet, and I’m scared!

Buffy’s eyes shot open at the smoldering fire. It was just before dawn, but still dark enough for a vampire to be out. The pain in her shoulder was excruciating. She needed someone to set her shoulder soon. She was healing, but not as quickly as she had hoped. Kaia’s body was too weakened by the first fight for the slayer fast healing to fix it all. She needed food and rest. Injured, and in a hurry, she had left her bag, which had food, by the creek. By Kahn’s dead body. Buffy’s shock was renewed by her memory of her actions.

Buffy, you didn’t do a bad thing! Please don’t feel bad, Kahn hurt us, and he would have hurt us again, maybe even killed us! You can’t feel anything other than justified by his death!

I killed a human. As the slayer, I am here to protect humans. Not kill them, Kaia. No matter what. Buffy was doing her best in her state to get the fire going again.

No one knows except me! Maybe the blood drinkers, “vampires”, got to him. We could blame them!

I couldn’t protect you from him, and I couldn’t control my strength enough not to kill him. I don’t want to talk about it anymore, Kaia.

We need to go back to the cave, to Groma. She can heal these wounds, and fix my shoulder.

I know, Kaia, and as soon as the sun rises, we will go back.



__________





Groma stood by the cave entrance waiting for Hourak’s men to return. Hourak was pacing behind her, worried for Kaia, trying to prepare himself for the worst.

“I see them!” Groma shouted as the first of the men came into view at the forest edge.

The men were carrying a body and some bags. Groma's heart sped up and a lump formed in her throat. She recognized Kahn’s body, and its lifelessness. Then she saw Kaia’s bag. A bag she had lovingly packed a few hours before. But where was Kaia’s body?

Hourak went to her, seeing her begin to crumble as the realization set in. Kahn had been attacked, and Kaia’s body hadn’t been found.



__________




The sun was up, and it was time to start the trip back, but Buffy was too weak. Dew had coated the rocks of the steep cliff to the cave, and she knew she’d never make it down. She would need to wait till the sun had dried the rocks at least, and eat as soon as possible. Buffy knew where the berry bushes were just at the base of the cliff, so she slept. She needed all the rest she could get.



__________




Kahn’s body was laid out for Groma’s inspection at the main hearth. Ullah was crying, other clanswomen trying to comfort her.

Groma saw his neck, the flesh torn and bloodied. She saw bruises and scratches on his face, and a bite on the palm of his hand. But not a bite from the razor sharp teeth of a blood drinker, but from the dull teeth of a person. A small person. She knew something bad had happened to Kaia now at the hand of Kahn.

Hourak, who had stood by her side as she looked over the body, had seen his hand too. His fears for Kaia’s safety had proved to be legitimate. But the blood drinkers had attacked Kahn too. Hourak knew Groma was expected to pronounce the cause of death, but he decided he would do this for her. He had failed Kaia, and Groma too.

“Kahn was killed by the blood drinkers, and his body must be burned immediately. Set the funeral pyre in the full sun. All precautions must be taken to protect the clan.”

Ullah began shouting and pointing at Groma.

“You! This is all your fault! You brought that child into this cave, raised her as one of us, now her lies and deceit have killed my husband. An elder! Father to my children! You tried to hide that she had become a woman, and we knew. I saw you toss her hides into the fire, as you whispered your evil plans! He went after what was his! He wanted to protect your evil child! This is all because of you, Groma. You and that thing you raised among us!” Ullah collapsed into the arms of her mother who was standing by her side.

Groma was speechless.

Hourak looked to Groma, “Is this true? Had her time come?”

Groma couldn’t lie to Hourak. “Yes, just the day before last.”

He grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the crowd. “Her blood of womanhood may have called to the blood drinkers. Groma, why was she out after dark…”


__________




The sun was high now, as Buffy made her way down the cliff. Her belly growled as she reached the bottom. The berries were good, and the sun warmed her skin, making her feel better. As she ate her fill, she felt better. She needed to clean up, wash the dirt, blood and other things from her skin. She didn’t want to see the body. She didn’t want to think about what had happened.

The creek wasn’t far, but with her injuries and fear, it took twice as long to get there.

There was no body, no evidence of the crime. Even her bag was gone. Did the vampires take him? Was he alive? Countless thoughts ran through her head as she walked into the water. She stopped mid calf, unable to remove her clothes, and still uneasy about being in the water. Especially since she had no idea where Kahn was. Fear was taking over; she needed to get back to the main cave. She needed Groma to heal her, to comfort her. She wanted to go home. It was the first time she had considered the cave home, but it was where she felt safe.

Buffy washed Kaia’s body as best she could, trying to feel clean, wondering if she ever would.

She finished, and walked on the outskirts of the woods, staying away from the shadows, praying the sun wouldn’t set before she made it back. She was still weak, tired, and very afraid.

The sun was now behind the trees, dusk was upon her and she knew the cave was near. She stood up straight and pushed through her pain, and jogged the final distance. The sun set just as the cave’s entrance was in her sights.

At the cave’s entrance, she collapsed. Her feet could no longer carry her. The sentries called for Groma and Hourak, but did not rush to aid her. Their spears were lowered and aimed at her chest.

Groma arrived first, and seeing her daughter, rushed to her side, ordering the sentries to help get her in the cave.

“No.” Hourak spoke loudly to Groma. “Kaia may have been infected by the blood drinkers and may not enter the cave. She must not be allowed to enter.”

“But she is injured! And you know Kahn attacked her, he may have done this to her! How can you say that to her?” Groma’s eyes pleaded with Hourak to see her side.

Hourak kneeled beside Groma. “She left as your child, but she might not have returned as your child. The blood drinkers, Groma, attacked Kahn and he may have infected her. She was attacked, she returned only after the sun had set, and she could not enter the cave on her own. These are signs that cannot be ignored. I cannot, as an Elder of the clan, allow her to enter. I am sorry, Groma. For your own safety, you should come back into the cave. Kaia will no longer be welcome here, but you are still a valued member of the clan.” He stood, and attempted to help Groma up.

Groma jerked her arm away from Hourak. “She is my child, and I will not leave her. She is injured, and needs medical attention. I will tend to her here, and in the dawn, we will leave. I could not stay here without her. I understand your position, so please try to understand mine.” Groma was angry and hurt, but her concern for Kaia and Buffy would not let her continue the discussion with Hourak.

She looked over Kaia’s wounds. She quickly set her shoulder while she was unconscious, and then rushed back into the cave to pack supplies. She would stay with Kaia/Buffy until sunrise, then pack the rest of the items they would need, and leave her home forever. She was proud that Buffy had seen to finding another cave, not blind to the trouble Kahn would inflict.

She knew then, that Buffy had been sent to her, to save her family. For that she would forever be in her debt. She hoped that she would be able to repay her one day, maybe help her find her way home.
End Notes:
This chapter was hard to write, and I avoided it as long as possible.

Please review and tell me what you think!
Chapter 18 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks PB for all your assistance and encouragement on this chap, plus you are betarific too *hugs*
Chapter 18


Hourak could see Groma caring for Kaia from inside the cave. Men and women were whispering to each other, pointing at the women just outside the cave entrance. He was crushed. As leader of the clan, he had to protect the clan above all others, no matter how wrong it felt.

He knew that he was losing the clan’s medicine woman and her replacement, but what tormented him now, was that his decision was causing him to lose a friend. Groma had been a valued member of the clan for many years. She was smart, compassionate, and loyal. And it was her loyalty and compassion to her child, was the reason she was leaving. He respected her for it, and the fact that she had respected him and his decision. She understood the difficulty of his choice.

Hourak rose and walked to the entrance as the clan members hushed, hoping to witness something dramatic. He commanded the sentries to let him out, then guard the entrance as soon as he was with Groma.

He sat by his longtime friend, with moist eyes. He knew there was nothing he could do, he could not allow Kaia back in. The other Elders would never allow it.

“Groma, my friend, where will you go?” Hourak looked to the ground, trying to think of anything he could do to help.

Groma held Kaia’s hand, and quietly said, “Kaia knew Kahn would hurt her, and she found us a new home. She knew we would need to leave at some point, and she prepared everything.” Groma looked to Hourak, “Fear not for us. The spirit guide, I believe, has given Kaia the gift of sight. She knew to protect herself and me. She is strong, and she is smart, and together we will be fine.”

“Will you tell me where your cave will be? I am old and may not be able to travel far, but knowing will ease my worries. You are family to me. You and Kaia both.”

“I will draw you a map. You will have no medicine woman here. If you need me, and the clan will feel comfortable to come to me, I will help them. My loyalties are to my child as well as the clan. Now and till the spirit guide calls me home.”

Hourak, shocked by Groma’s offer, decided he would speak with the Elders, beg for an exception to be made.

He collected himself, and stood to return to the cave. “Thank you, Groma. The clan has been blessed for all the years you took care of us, and I will fight to have you and Kaia returned to your home.”

Groma smiled. “Thank you, Hourak, but it is our time to move on. The Elders would never believe anything you could tell them about Kaia not being a blood drinker. They have been looking for an excuse to be rid of Kaia since the day I found her, and now they have one. She was never respected by the clan as you or I have been. I know my child, and my place is with her, should she become a blood drinker or not. Our destiny was set many years ago.”

He returned to the cave, upset that Groma didn’t want to stay, but awed by her conviction to follow what she considered her destiny. Life would be hard for these women, but he would watch out for them any way he could.



__________




Tara packed the large basket, checking and checking again to make sure she didn’t forget anything. She was as ready as she would ever be.

Spike was waiting by the door for her, his expression was worried. “Are you sure you don’t want me to go with you? I can get Xander and Anya to come over and sit with the girls. They will be safe with the wards.”

“No, Spike. I need to go alone. And I will be safe. I enchanted this map. I can check on Willow location and movements and it shows me the where to find the Oracles.” She held up the map of Sunnydale and pointed to the two glowing dots. “See, she is still at the mansion. And it shows me where the entrance is to find the Oracles. I will be back as soon as I can, Spike, try not to worry.”

Spike took her empty hand and squeezed it. “Be safe, Tara. I'll be here, waiting for you to come back safe and sound."

She squeezed back. “I will. Wish me luck.”

He opened the door for her, “Good luck, Tara,” and he watched her walk down the street.



__________





Tara followed her map about a block from the house on Revello Drive, and made a right into a neighbor’s back yard. The map indicated that she was to turn left into the back yard. The yard was fenced, but the gate was unlocked. She quickly and quietly entered, hoping there wasn’t a dog in there.

The map pointed her to her final destination, the swimming pool. The water was lit up and very inviting, but there was no visible entrance to any mystical realm that she could see. Tara walked around the pool, wanting to make sure that was where she was supposed to go. The glowing dot on the map informed her it was. The entrance was in the deep end of the pool.

I need to get to the bottom of the pool quick, so my gift doesn’t get ruined. I guess the diving board is the answer… Tara walked to the end of the board, clutched the large basket to her chest. “Ok, here we go!” With a single bounce, Tara dropped into the pool feet first, and plunged toward the drain.



__________



The cool water was shocking, but not nearly as much as the fact that as soon as she reached the bottom, she found she was no longer in the pool. She was in a white room, and completely dry.

There were tall Grecian type columns forming a large circle, and she was standing in the middle.

“Hello? Is there anyone here?”

There was no answer. She set her basket down and began to walk out of the circle, when two beings appeared before her. They looked like humans, but their faces looked as if they had been painted with silvery-bronze paint with odd blue designs etched on their skin, and their eyes were solid blue. One appeared to be male and the other female.

“Come before us, lower being. What have you brought us?” They said in unison.

Tara remembered there was something specific she was supposed to say. Come on, brain, work!

“I come before you, seeking guidance and direction…” She couldn’t remember the rest. Flustered, she spoke to them directly.

“I come before you, with my gift, as a friend of the Slayer. She is missing and I’m here to ask for your help in finding her.” Tara lowered her head, fearing she had ruined her chance with them.

The female spoke. “Tara, you are a warrior of good. You were only allowed to enter our realm because of this. Before we discuss why you have come to us, please show us your gift.”

For the first time since she and Dawn had decided what to bring, Tara had her doubts. Please let them like what I’ve brought.

The large basket was opened and a red and white checkered cloth was removed and spread on the ground.

The male Oracle whispered something inaudible to the female as they watched Tara.

From the basket she produced several metallic objects and placed them on the blanket.

The Oracles marveled at their gifts. Such lovely objects they had never seen before. They were pleased, very pleased.

“What do you call these beautiful things, may we hold one?” The female held out her hands to Tara.

Oh my God! They think these are their gifts!

“Yes, please join me. There is more to show you.” Tara sat on the cloth and began to pull more items from the basket and placed them on the cloth.

The Oracles approached the cloth, and sensing no danger, decided to lower themselves to her level, both in status and physically, and sit with her on the floor. Their curiosity getting the better of them, they each picked up a piece of silver and turned it over in their hands.

“These are quite lovely, we’ve never received anything like this at all.” The male said as he looked at his distorted reflection on its surface.

“They are warm, and smell nicely. Tara, what do you call these beautiful objects?” The female asked Tara, curious and excited.



__________




Willow had been at it for hours, and had done nothing but anger the demons she had called on for assistance. She was not only becoming worried she wouldn’t be able to bring Buffy back, but what had the demon meant when he said she may have already paid a price.

She dragged her bruised, bloodied, and dark veined body to the bedroom and climbed into the large bed. She was exhausted, and scared. Scared she had actually messed up, scared she had hurt her friend, and scared she may lose everything. I’ve got to stop thinking like that! I haven’t done anything wrong, I just haven’t found the right spell yet!

As she was drifting off to sleep, her mind visualized her magic bringing a tanned, happy Buffy back, all her friends thanking her, praising her skills.

However, her dreams quickly turned to nightmares, as the giant horned demon appeared again. He laughed loudly and then slaughtered her friends and family in front of her. She was powerless to stop him, like her magic was gone. As she screamed out in her sleep, waking herself, she heard him say, “You were warned…”

Shaking and covered with perspiration, she got out of bed and got back to work.
End Notes:
Review?! Please!
Chapter 19 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
This chapter is dedicated to Spikelissa for her BIRTHDAY! It's a few hours early, but I think you might just enjoy it *tosses confetti in the air*
Chapter 19


The sun warmed her face, waking her and she opened her eyes. Birds sang overhead welcoming a new day. Buffy awoke sore and confused.

Panicking, she tried to quickly get up, but her body refused to move at the speed she wanted. Slowly, she sat up and saw that she had made it to the cave, only to have collapsed at the entrance.

Groma had been tending to her wounds; the bandaging was definitely her work. The day had started around her. Clan members were going about their day, working, hunting and gathering. And the sentries, who normally guarded the entrance, were guarding her.

She heard someone shout within the cave that she had woken. Why am I out here? No one would carry me inside? Where is Groma? Why are the guards surrounding me?

She started to call out for Groma, but Hourak rushed out of the cave, ordering the sentries to allow him to speak with her.

They lowered their spears long enough to let him through, but quickly resumed their position as he sat down next to her. It was then that she realized, they weren’t guarding her, they were protecting the others from her.

They know. They know I am a murderer, and I am to be punished.

Tears threatened to spill as the memories and the reality of her past twenty-four hours suddenly replayed in her mind.

“Kaia, do not cry. Groma will be here soon, and she says all of your injuries are healing very fast. Can I get you a drink? Or some food?” Hourak was struggling to comfort Kaia, afraid she would break down and he would not be able to console her. The clan members looked on, watching his every move. He wanted nothing more than to cradle her against his chest until her mother could arrive, but he was afraid. Afraid for his own safety. Afraid the members of the clan would see him as foolish and weak. He looked at her wounds; some from the previous night were now completely healed. How could this be? Groma’s medicine was very effective, but I’ve never seen anyone heal as quickly as Kaia. Is this a sign of her transformation?

Rushing out of the entrance, carrying as many sacks as she could manage, Groma dropped them, pushed the sentries aside and did what Hourak could not. She carefully swept the young girl into her arms, and held her close.

Buffy allowed herself to be cradled against the woman’s shoulder. Beaten, exhausted, and afraid, she fell apart. Groma rocked her back and forth, smoothing her hair, encouraging her to let it go. Buffy sobbed, releasing all of her sorrow from the recent events, for the homesickness she felt, for the loss of her own mother, for Spike. Groma let her cry.

Hourak watched, overwhelmed by emotion. Whatever Kaia had been through had been terrible. He’d never known anyone to enter the forest at night and survive an attack by the blood drinkers, but had she? Had she been turned? Or had Kahn done this to her?

Groma allowed Buffy to still before she spoke to her.

“Child, can you tell us what happened?” Groma asked carefully. “Kahn’s body was found, the blood drinkers' attack must have been frightening.” Groma knew that the wounds on Kaia’s body were not from blood drinkers, but Kahn. She wasn’t sure what Kaia or Buffy wanted or felt comfortable to say in front of Hourak.

“Blood drinkers?” Buffy’s mind swarmed with questions. What did they think happened with Kahn?

Hourak spoke up, “Kaia, Kahn’s body has already been destroyed. The blood drinker attack killed him.” He scooted closer so others who were eavesdropping wouldn’t be able to hear. “Your wounds, are they from the attack…” he looked over his shoulder, then whispered, “…or Kahn?”

Both women looked at him, surprised.

“Kaia, Kahn’s wounds are very different than yours, and I am not blind. I even suspect Kahn followed you with the intent to do you harm.” A sad expression covered his face. “I wanted to protect you. Had I known about the cave, that you were leaving alone to go there…” Hourak paused to collect his thoughts. He had more to say, so both women remained silent, allowing him to continue. “I am sorry, Kaia. I do not know, nor do you have to tell me who attacked you. Just know that I am sorry. I spoke with the Elders last night, against your wishes, Groma, and you were right. They will not allow Kaia to enter. The fear among the clan is great. They fear you will attack them if you are allowed to stay here much longer.”

Buffy figured it out. Being outside, the sentries, all the stares. They didn’t think she was a murderer, they thought she was a vampire. No one other than Groma or Hourak suspected Kahn of attacking her. The sacks Groma had been carrying… they were filled with their things. They were leaving. Only not by choice, but because of fear. The clan knew of vampires, but not how to tell if someone was one.

“I will not attack anyone, Hourak. I am not a blood drinker, I was not bitten by any of them. I am sitting here in the sunlight, and I am not dust. These are things your blood drinkers would not be able to do. You have nothing to fear. I will not speak of my attack any more. Groma? Are we ready? I am strong enough to make the trip now, and I want to be settled before sundown.” Buffy stood and all watching clan members visibly flinched.


__________




Tara had unpacked the basket and watched the Oracles, fascinated. How could higher beings be so out of the loop? It never occurred to Tara that they wouldn’t recognize her gift.

The male had picked up another item. A glass vial, filled with a thick amber liquid. He was holding it to the light, admiring it.

The female was taken with the tall metallic cylinder that Tara had placed in the center of the cloth.

“These gifts I brought are a favorite among humans. A favorite with the Slayer, and her sister, Dawn.” Tara was moving the objects around arranging them on the cloth in front of each of them.

“The Key! If the Key enjoys them, surely we must. Tell us more.”

Tara opened the cylinder the female had been admiring and poured a bright orange liquid into other containers for each of them.

Tara giggled as she told more about her gifts.

“This liquid gives nutrients and nourishment to humans each day. It is harvested from the earth.” Tara picked up a half filled container and handed it to each of them, then picked up her own. Raising it to her lips, she said, “We call this orange juice.” She took a drink of hers, showing them what to do.

Both watched and mimicked Tara’s actions, swallowing the cool liquid.

The Oracles smiled as they set their cups down as Tara had done.

“Wonderful!” said the female.

“Fascinating! Please show us more," the male said excitedly.

Tara lifted one of the silver objects and began to open it. Both Oracles moved closer as the aroma wafted towards them.

“These are called pancakes. They are made from products from the earth as well. They not only provide nourishment, but Dawn finds them entertaining as well.” Tara removed one from the foil and placed it on a plate for them to see. “They can be made into many shapes, this one is a giraffe. Dawn made this one for you.”

The female took the plate from Tara’s hand and marveled at the pancake before her. “The Key has sent us gifts as well?”

“Yes, she has.” Opening another package, Tara took another pancake out and placed it on a plate for the male Oracle. “These were made by Spike. See, these he made to look like a vampire. He used strawberries slices as fangs and blueberries for eyes.” Tara giggled. She hadn’t noticed it before, but they kind of looked like Spike.

“Spike the Vampire, William the Bloody, he has been called as well. He is a great warrior too, Tara. Many may doubt him, but he will prove himself with time. We have been watching him for many years. Trust him, Tara. His destiny, along with yours and the Slayer’s are connected,” the female Oracle told her.

Opening the final foil package, “These are the kind the Slayer likes the best. Plain round, but loaded with chocolate chips. She says they look like giant cookies.”

“Amazing!” they both said in unison.

Tara went about showing them how to put on the butter and syrup and how to use the utensils she’d brought, and they ate their gifts.

“Tara, you are a powerful witch, a warrior for good. You have brought us gifts that no one in history has every thought to bring us. Gifts made with care and love, by those the Slayer has surrounded herself with. We know you seek the Slayer, and we will give you what you need to find her, but we cannot bring her back.”

An orb of swirling blue glass appeared in front of Tara.

“This orb will open a portal allowing only one to enter. Only the one who can reach her will be allowed to enter. This person will need to seek her out, and the Slayer must enter the portal of her own accord. The Slayer will not look the same. Her spirit dwells in another, the Slayer Kaia. Time has passed differently where she is. She may have only been gone a few days here, but much time has passed where she is now. Time and events may have changed her. We are sorry we cannot do more, but you have the tools you need.”

Tara packed up her basket, carefully folding the cloth around the orb, and handed a foil packet of the leftover pancakes to the female Oracle.

“Thank you both. You have been both gracious and accommodating.”

She looked around for an exit, eager to get the orb back to the house, and suddenly found herself sitting on the end of the diving board.

It was early dawn, and the sun lit her way home.

Spike paced in the living room, unable to stand at the window anymore as the sun rose. Tara had been gone for hours and he was worried.

The front door opened and Spike was there before she could step over the threshold.

“Tell me everything,” he urged, taking the basket from her and ushering her to the couch.

Tara told him of the pancakes and how they had been surprised, and delighted. Then she told him of the orb.

Spike opened the basket and carefully unwrapped the swirling blue orb.

“So, let’s get on the phone and get everyone here. Someone is going to get Buffy, and as soon as possible.”
End Notes:
Review? Come on, you know you want to!
Chapter 20 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to PB and Sotia for betaing, love you guys *mwah*!
Chapter 20


Angel arrived at the Hyperion just before dawn and rushed into the building. He plopped down in his desk chair and scanned his desk for something to do. Reading over a scribbled note from Cordelia, he heard the front door open and Wesley, Fred, Gunn, and Cordelia enter.

“I hope I can get this disgusting slime off these shoes, or Angel will be…” Cordy silenced herself and pointed to the office.

The AI team filed into Angel’s office, anxiously waiting for him to say something.

Angel stared at them with a goofy smile on his face.

“Well? Tell us, what evil is afoot in SunnyD?” Cordy asked, unable to wait any longer.

Angel shuffled through the papers on his desk, confused. “Evil? In Sunnydale? When?”

Gunn, Fred, Wesley, and Cordelia looked at each other concerned.

“I think I’m going to make a call.” Fred excused herself.

Dialing Buffy’s house, Fred hoped someone would know what had happened.

Tara answered on the first ring.

“Hello?”

“H-Hi, my name is Fred. I work with Angel and he’s back… but I think something happened to him.”

“Hi Fred. I’m Buffy’s friend Tara. You said Angel’s back? He was supposed to go keep an eye on Willow. What do you mean, something’s happened to him?” Tara was suddenly filled with anger and concern about Willow. What has she done? I hope she’s not getting worse. I hope she’s ok…

“Well, he’s got no idea he was in Sunnydale or that anything’s wrong. He’s… how do I describe him…? Perky?” Fred almost laughed as she finished telling Tara, like being perky was wrong. In Angel’s case, it really was. Very wrong.

“Angel was asked to check in on Willow and keep an eye on her. I’m guessing that Willow spotted him and put a simple forgetting spell on him. He’ll be fine, but all is not well here.” Tara explained to Fred the recent events and the importance to get everyone together quickly.

“Will you be able to get everyone here as soon as possible?” Tara asked, hoping Fred understood just how important all that was.

“I will get Wesley, Angel and Cordy there today. Portals and I don’t mix, and Gunn and I can take care of AI while they’re gone,” Fred assured Tara before hanging up.

Fred joined the others in Angel’s office and explained the Sunnydale situation. Cordy and Wes were ready to go, but Angel was still confused.

“Sunnydale? Why are we going?”

After trying to explain Buffy was in trouble and getting nowhere, Cordy threw her hands in the air. “Angel, we have to go! Grab your blanket, I’m driving.”


__________




Buffy and Groma carried their burden, quiet in their trek, each lost in their own thoughts of the recent events. The sun was bright in the sky, nestled among big fluffy white clouds, warming them both after a cool night away from the hearth. Buffy led the way, pointing out landmarks along their path. When they reached the cliff, Buffy told Groma to wait, as she carried the heavier items up the incline. She wanted to get the cave set up before she brought the older woman up.

In the cave, Buffy carefully arranged Groma’s things, trying to replicate her previous setup. Kaia knew what to do and directed Buffy where to put everything. When she was ready, she looked out the cave and saw Groma. The woman was sitting on an outcrop of rocks, overlooking the valley below. Her expression was peaceful as her head tilted back and soaked in the sun’s rays. All the fear and guilt she had felt since she awoke suddenly felt as though it was being lifted. They would have some difficult times ahead, but she felt like they would be fine. As long as she had Groma and Kaia, she would be just fine.


__________



The living room in the house on Revello Drive was full. Full of arguing people, all eager to get started.

Tara had tried to get everyone to settle, so they could explain what the Oracles had told her. She had managed to get Angel, Cordy, and Wesley in from LA, and also reach Xander and Anya. She’d called Giles and explained everything, and he would be there in the morning, but suggested they start without him. She’d considered going to fetch Willow, but had decided to wait. If no one of those assembled were chosen, then she’d cross that bridge. I really hope she’s not the one… Dawn was sitting with Xander and Anya, who were laughing at Angel and his confusion. Willow had done a number on him. He really couldn’t figure out why he was in Buffy’s house. Cordy kept patting his leg, reminding him that they would go get ice cream soon. No one wanted Angel to be the one the Oracles would choose. Everyone was there, except Spike, and Tara knew just where to find him. She hated to intrude, but it was time to get started.

Spike was lying with her, cuddling her. He had asked Tara not to let anyone see her, to let him be alone with her.

Tara slipped quietly into the bedroom and said softly, “Spike, I have everyone downstairs. I think we are about ready to start. I was thinking maybe we should open the portal in the basement, where the original one was, but I want your opinion.” Tara sat in the chair, looking at Buffy’s expression. The Slayer looked peaceful, like she was sleeping. Spike was holding her tight, his eyes closed. “Spike?”

Without opening his eyes, he replied, “I think you’re right. The basement is the best place.” He slowly got up and sat on the edge of the bed, facing Tara. “If it’s you that is chosen, I will look after her for you.”

“I know Buffy is the safest with you, Spike.”

“Not Buffy, Glinda. Willow. I don’t know what I can do to help her, but I will do my best to keep an eye on her.” He reached over to Tara and took her hand. “It’s ok to love her. I know what it's like to love someone who isn’t good for you.”

Tara looked at him, tears welling in her eyes. “Thank you, Spike. And if you are chosen, I will watch over Dawn and Buffy as well.” She wiped her eyes and stood. “Let’s get this over with.”


_________


Buffy climbed down and sat next to Groma, who pulled her into a hug. “Thank you, Buffy.”

Stunned by her statement, she asked, “Why? I had you kicked out of your home, I live inside your daughter, and I’ve turned your world upside down. How can you thank me?”

“You’ve saved us both. You were sent here to help Kaia, which you did.” Buffy tried to interrupt, but Groma shook her head. “I know you will share what happened with me when you are ready. But, Buffy, if you hadn’t been here, I can’t imagine Kaia would have found strength to survive his attack.” The woman’s face scrunched in horror at the thought. “I owe you for everything you’ve done. I want to help you find a way to get home, if I can. I want you to try and remember as much as you can about the spell that sent you here, and if I can help, I will.”

Buffy looked at the woman, who was sincere in her words to her, yet sad to be offering her a way to leave. “Leaving you and Kaia isn’t something I want to do, Groma. I may never get back to my time, but I am happy here.” Buffy paused, and thought of all of the people she had unwillingly left behind, knowing that they would take care of each other. Groma and Kaia needed her. “You’ve accepted me, believed in me, and never doubted me. My life before I came here wasn’t like that. Even with all of the things I’ve experienced here, I feel like I’m at home. With my surrogate mother and sister. Yes, I miss home, and Spike and Dawn, but I can’t dwell on something I don’t know if it can ever be fixed. I’ve been here for months already, and there’s been no sign of it changing. This is my home now, and I don’t know that I could ever leave it.”

Buffy smiled at the memory that popped into her head. Joyce standing at the kitchen island, reminding her that “Sometimes life hands you lemons, so make lemonade.” She was doing just that now.

Kaia celebrated Buffy’s acceptance of staying with them. She needed her; it was almost as they were becoming one person. Kaia felt like her survival was somehow linked to Buffy.

Buffy helped Groma up and led her to their new cave.
End Notes:
Ok, so you read it. Can you let me know what you thought? Please?
Chapter 21 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my fab betas, PaganBaby and Sotia *winks* you guys rock!
Chapter 21


Weeks went by, and Groma, Kaia, and Buffy became accustomed to their new life. Gone was the stress of pleasing others, of doing the right things. They were happy.

During the first few days, Buffy showed Groma where things were in conjunction to their home, and they spent many hours discussing the incident with Kahn. Kaia’s memories of the event were almost nonexistent. Buffy told her what she needed to know, but had managed to spare her from experiencing the horrible event.

Groma worried about Kaia from the moment that Buffy had confirmed her worst fear, that they had been raped. Her next concern was the consequences of the act. Kaia was a woman now, but only in body. How would she deal with a pregnancy should it occur? She watched her daughter make fewer appearances within Buffy, making her wonder if Kaia was disappearing, or if the two were merging into one. Buffy had been there for months now, and had accepted her position as Kaia’s protector, but it was getting hard to tell Buffy from Kaia.

The girl she saw each day looked like her daughter, but she knew the confidence and strength she witnessed came from Buffy.

Groma had been counting the days, watching her daughter, worried that her monthly wouldn’t come. She knew Buffy was concerned too, even though she hadn’t said anything.

They had had a few clan members arrive, needing Groma’s medical advice and services, which Groma happily supplied. She was paid for her services with furs and hides, and even some salt. The woman was thrilled by what she considered wealth, having never been paid for anything before. It was obvious that many of the clan still feared Kaia, but they had trusted Groma all their lives, and with no medicine woman in the tribe anymore, they had nowhere else to go.

Buffy had become an excellent hunter since their move, and was able to bring home more fresh meat than the two of them could eat. Using the salt, Groma instructed Buffy how to preserve the meat for the upcoming winter months. Gone were the days that Buffy was timid about killing and cutting up the animals for food.

Buffy spent all her free time training; preparing Kaia’s body for any fight she might come across. She replayed Giles’ lessons as she explained things to Kaia. The girl was eager to learn about Slayers and vampires, but Buffy wanted to concentrate on her fighting skills. She knew there would come a time soon when she would have to take Kaia patrolling, to see her put her skills to the test.

On the fifth week after their arrival at their new home, Buffy woke up nauseous.

Groma watched as Buffy ran from the cave, and listened as she emptied the contents of her stomach just outside the entrance. Her hands shook as she waited for her to return, fearing the worst. Kaia’s monthly had been due the previous week, and it hadn’t arrived. Buffy had mentioned that maybe it was delayed because of all the training, or that she might be irregular since her body had just begun its cycle.

Buffy was leaning against the outside wall of the cave, shaking from the dry heaves that wracked her body. This wasn’t like any bout of the flu she’d ever experienced, nor did it feel like something she’d eaten hadn’t agreed with her. This was something entirely different.

“Groma…” Buffy called out to her, her voice wavering.

Immediately, Groma went to her, and helped her back into the cave. There was no fever, just a cool perspiration covering Buffy’s skin. The woman had Buffy lie back down on her hides, and went to make her tea.

Groma collected the herbs she needed to make her special tea—one she had used many times to ease nausea—when in the back of her mind, she wondered if she should make a different brew. There were certain herbs that were known to prevent pregnancy, or cause miscarriage, but she didn’t feel right giving the girl the tea without first discussing it with Buffy and Kaia. She boiled the water for her nausea treatment brew, and while it was steeping, went to talk with them.

As she walked toward Kaia, she saw the tears streaming down her face. There were no sobs, no gasping for breath, just silent tears. “Buffy?” she asked cautiously, unsure which daughter was upset.

“Yes, Groma. Kaia is here too. I’ve told her what we suspect, and she has an opinion you need to hear.” Buffy beckoned Groma to come sit closer, wanting her near as she told her of the talk with Kaia. “Groma, Kaia suspects she is pregnant, as do we.” More tears were wiped from her cheek as she continued. “She’s told me that you are able to stop the pregnancy, but she doesn’t want that. She wants the child.” Buffy’s tears flowed as she gave Kaia’s reasons. “Kaia feels like this will probably be her only chance to be a mother, especially since she is no longer considered a clan member. This is something she never thought she would experience, and she feels like the spirit guide has given her this child as a reward for her struggles. She knows how she got pregnant, and who the father is, and it upsets her greatly. But she feels the child is an innocent, and that it is part of her. She feels this child should have the chance to live, regardless of how it was conceived. She knows life will not be easy with a child, but this is important to her. She wants us to understand. She wants us to respect her wishes, even though this affects us all.” Buffy buried her face in the hide pillow, and sobbed. She didn’t want to be pregnant, to be a burden to Groma, to be unable to protect Kaia or Groma. Once more, she cried, feeling like she had let them down. She couldn’t prevent the rape, and now she felt like she couldn’t support Kaia’s decision.

Groma placed her hand on her daughter’s back, trying to offer her comfort, as her own tears fell. She knew exactly what Kaia was feeling. The older woman had never been considered attractive by the men of the tribe, and had not been offered marriage by anyone. If she had never found Kaia, she wouldn’t have had the opportunity to be a mother. Being a mother was something she coveted, and once Kaia had become hers, she had felt like she had fulfilled her one true wish. She couldn’t take this away from Kaia. She would support her, no matter what. That child would be loved. This child was family.

“Kaia, listen to me child. This is your decision, and we will support whatever you choose. You still have time to make your choice. For now, your body needs to drink and rest. Buffy, you will rest and let me take care of you for a change.”

Groma brought her daughter the tea, and a cool cloth to place on her head. Time was what they needed; time to see if there was definitely a child on the way, and time to see what Kaia’s final decision would be.


__________



With everyone gathered in the basement of Buffy’s house, Tara carefully brought the orb down the stairs with Spike by her side.

“Now that everyone is ready and understands what should take place, let’s begin. The orb should open the portal and keep it open until it selects the person best suited for the mission. Spike, would you like to select who goes first?” Tara looked to him for support.

“No problem, Glinda. I say we go age before beauty, putting Anya and Angel up to bat first. Let’s get that portal open.” Spike had been thinking about this since Tara had returned from the Oracles. He wanted to be the one to go and bring his Buffy back as quickly as possible, but he also wanted to protect her body in Sunnydale. Spike suspected it would be Tara that would be chosen; and knowing she was scared and probably thinking the same, he reluctantly decided to let everyone else go first.

Anya opened her mouth to protest the ‘age before beauty’ comment, but Xander nudged her, shaking his head, silently telling her to let it go.

Tara placed the orb in the corner where Buffy’s body had lain just a few days ago.

The swirling blue energy within the orb began to expand, making the orb appear to grow. It had nearly reached the floor above when suddenly—instead of a ball—it took the shape of a tunnel.

Anya stepped forward, releasing Xander’s hand. “Well, I know I’m the oldest, and I think I have the beauty too, so I will try first.” Stepping forward, she stuck her hand into the blue swirling tunnel, only to feel a barrier.

“Well? Can you go in there?” Xander asked nervously.

“No. There is something like an invisible wall here. Kind of like what a vampire hits when he tries to enter a house he hasn’t been invited into. It tickles a bit, too.” Anya continued to touch the inside of the tunnel, until Xander grabbed her and pulled her back.

“Ok, Angel. You’re up next,” Spike prodded the other vampire.

Angel was staring at the tunnel with amazement. “I thought we were going for ice cream. Cordy? When is it ice cream time?”

“This is crazy! Angel can’t be the one, he’s not himself thanks to Willow!” she said as she walked him over to the tunnel. “In here, I think. See if you can feel the ice cream, Angel.”

“Just see if he’s the one they choose. We can try to get him back to normal before he goes through. Just hold his hand,” Spike suggested, trying to convince Cordelia.

Angel stuck his hand in only to find the same resistance that Anya had. “Hey, there’s no ice cream in here.”

Cordelia shook her head. “Good, now let me try while I’m here. That way if it isn’t me, I can take him for his frozen treat.”

Spike waved his hand, signaling for her to go ahead.

Cordy wasn’t the one either. “Ok, then, Wesley, get over here and try so we can all go.”

Wesley walked past a giggling, bouncing Angel to the tunnel. “Should I be chosen, I promise to…”

Cordy pushed Wesley into the barrier, which he bounced off of roughly. “Hey! Oh, I guess I’m not the one either.” Wesley looked a bit disappointed. “So, ice cream it is.” Without saying goodbye, Wesley helped Cordelia get Angel up the stairs and out of the way.

Xander and Dawn were looking at Spike, waiting to be told who should go next.

“Xander, give it a go, will you?” Spike winked at Dawn. He hadn’t really thought about Dawn being the one chosen. Now he was worried. He thought all along it would be Tara, and he would take care of things here at the house, or that maybe it would be him and Tara would stay back to take care of Dawn and Buffy.

Xander walked over, stuck his hand in quickly and tapped on the barricade. “Nope, not me either.” He went back to Anya’s side and she hugged him tight.

“Thank the gods you weren’t chosen. You would never have made it.” Anya said, clinging to him.

“Hey! A little confidence, please!” Xander was embarrassed but relieved.

Dawn walked over to Spike. “Do you want me to go next?”

“No, Nibblet. Let’s let Tara go.” Spike gave the Wiccan a comforting glance. “Remember what we talked about,” he told her as she timidly approached the tunnel.

“You too,” Tara said, and pushed her arm inside the tunnel. She felt the same resistance everyone else had. Dropping her arm to her side, she turned to face the blond. “It isn’t me. I think you should go next, maybe Dawn won’t even have to try.”

Spike pulled them both into a hug, “You two are very important to me. If I go, take care of each other, as well as Buffy. Promise me.”

Both girls held him tight, not wanting him to go, but agreeing to his request.

Spike pushed them away slowly, and walked to the tunnel. Taking one last look at them over his shoulder, he stepped into the arch of blue light.

There was a loud pop, along with a blinding white flash, and he was gone, leaving the swirling orb in its original spot.
End Notes:
Please review. I really want to know what you thought about this chapter
Chapter 22 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks to PB and Sotia for beta'ing, once more.. "lost without you two"
Chapter 22


Willow sat on the stiff couch, surrounded by open books, searching for the spell to fix everything. It had been nearly a week since she had sent Buffy to the little cave girl the Slayer just had to see.

“I hope she’s having a good time wherever she is,” she grumbled to herself. “This is all her fault. If she hadn’t come to me with her secret spell wish, then I never would have gotten into this mess, and Tara would never have pushed me away. I just need to get her back so she can explain to everyone that this is what she wanted.” Frowning—and completely oblivious to the fact she was talking out loud—she exclaimed, “Damn it! Why can’t I find the spell?”

Willow pushed all the books to the floor and walked over to the remains of the table. Picking up the large black stone and dusting it off, she placed it carefully on the hearth of the fireplace. “At least this didn’t get damaged. I don’t think I could get another if I tried. I think I can get the demon to help me, I just need the right offering.” She shuddered as she remembered the dream that had woken her just a few hours ago. I’m sure that was just a dream, I haven’t done anything wrong to cause any kind of demon retribution.

She needed some things from the Magic Box. Knowing Anya, however, the only way to get them without everyone knowing about her purchases would be to glamour herself. With a wistful look on her face, the tapped her chin with her finger, “Now, who should I look like…?”


__________




Spike fell to his knees as the tunnel swirled around him. The entrance behind him snapped shut with an audible pop. He felt dizzy. There was a strange, almost no-gravity, feeling within the tunnel, which had suddenly changed from blue to an extreme white. Shielding his eyes, he struggled to stand. The blinding white light had blasted his senses was gone—as quickly as it had appeared—leaving him in total darkness. His sensitive hearing kicked into overdrive, trying to make out any sound, but he heard nothing. The silence was driving him crazy, his mind wondering what was going to happen next, wanting to be prepared for whatever was about to happen.

Like a trapdoor was released beneath him, he began falling. The passage of time changed, making his fall seem never ending. Then suddenly, without warning, he hit the ground—or at least what he thought was the ground. Sharp, blinding pain coursed through his body on impact, followed by unconsciousness.

__________



Dawn, Tara, Xander, and Anya stood staring at the orb.

“Now, what are we supposed to do? Did that thing come with instructions?” Xander asked while pointing at the sphere.

“Well, I don’t think you should worry about that, Xander. Don’t you need to be working? Making the money to make me happy?” Anya started walking up the stairs, pulling him with her.

When the kitchen door was shut, Tara carefully picked up the orb. “Dawn, I need your help. Follow me. We need to check on Buffy, and put this somewhere safe.”

Upstairs, Buffy’s condition hadn’t changed at all.

“Do you think we should get one of those baby monitor thingies to check on her?” Dawn wasn’t trying to be funny, but it came out that way. “I mean, well, you know, with Spike gone, we can’t really have someone by her side all the time.”

“No, I don’t think we’ll need it,” the Wiccan replied without needing to think about it. “Besides, Giles will be here soon to help out, and hopefully Spike will get Buffy and bring her right back. I’m not sure exactly how that’s going to work, with Buffy’s body here, but I imagine Spike will be coming back through the orb.” Tara placed the swirling ball on the chair near the bed. “Now, when he comes back, he will see her immediately.”

Dawn still looked a bit concerned. “So we just wait?”

“Yes, Dawn. That’s really all we can do. The Powers That Be chose Spike, so he is the only one who can bring her back. I just hope he gets to her soon.”


__________



Willow cast the glamour spell, making herself look like Amy. She had a list to shop from and hoped Anya wouldn’t question any of her items. She really is a nosy little busybody demon that needs to mind her own business. Doesn’t she have some money to count, orgasms to have?

Walking into the Magic Box, Willow saw Anya behind the register, counting money just like she’d expected. There was one other customer who was looking at the assorted candle bin.

Willow grabbed a hand basket and started to get everything on her list, carefully laying her selections in her basket. She knew where everything she needed was, except… a mummy hand. Damn it! Those are kept downstairs. I wonder if it would be easier to break in later… No. Anya would sell it to Amy. Besides, they can be used for lots of things. She wont have a clue what I need it for.

As Willow approached the counter reluctantly, Anya lifted her head and smiled. “Welcome to my store. Aren’t you the rat girl? Can I help you find something?” she asked, eager to make a sale.

“Um, yeah, right on both counts. I need these and a mummy’s hand if you have one.” Willow had glamoured some paper to look like cash, and giggled at the thought of Anya discovering she had been robbed. Rat girl. Jeez, Anya. Rude much?

Anya was excited. Mummy hands weren’t cheap, nor was she moving any at the moment. “I have just one left. It is a left I believe. Is that ok?”

“That’s fine.” Willow smiled at her with Amy’s grin and placed her other items on the counter.


__________



Kaia’s sickness only lasted the week, and was mild compared to some Groma had seen. She watched her carefully, making sure she was well, before allowing her to resume any activities.

Groma had confirmed the pregnancy after Kaia’s cycle had still not shown after the sixth week, and found herself thinking of the child regularly. Kaia’s body seemed a little softer, and her breasts fuller even though it was too soon for her belly to have rounded.

Buffy hadn’t wanted to talk about the baby, and changed the subject each time Groma brought it up. That troubled Groma. The child would be coming, and if Buffy wasn’t able to warm to the idea, there was no way of knowing if she’d be able to take care of it. As she prepared their evening meal, Groma decided that was not something that could be put off any longer. If Buffy was to stay there—by choice or not—she needed to be willing to mother the baby. If she was not, a decision needed to be made very soon. They were running out of time.


__________



Spike woke up lying on the ground, looking up through tree branches. Rays of sunshine filtered through the trees, speckling his face with warmth.

Panicked, he rolled away, desperate to get away from the lethal beams of light. Pain wracked his body from his rough landing as he found shade near the base of a large tree. His hands patted his face, trying to put out nonexistent flames.

Am I ok? Am I burned? Where am I? Spike’s mind was flooded with questions as he remembered where he was… or at least why he was there. He cautiously stuck his hand into a shaft of sunlight, testing to see if his original observation had been correct. Relief, then confusion crossed his mind. Did this mean he wasn’t a vampire here? He quickly shifted into his game face and back again. A realization that made him smile slowly sank in. He’d wanted the Gem of Amara for this very reason, to stroll in the sun, unharmed. The sun not burning him would make his quest easier, although he wasn’t even sure where to begin. He needed to look around, find out more about where he was.

Listening to his surroundings, he could hear water nearby, and what sounded like voices. Spike stood slowly, cracking his back as he stretched. He felt his body, looking for injuries and found only a few bruises, nothing that wouldn’t heal within the next few hours. Or at least he hoped. He wasn’t sure what to expect in this strange land.

Spike made his way closer to the voices, hoping to see Buffy. Or Kaia, he reminded himself. Buffy would look like Kaia. If Buffy’s body is home, and she is here in Kaia’s body… where is Kaia? Spike suddenly became worried that maybe there was something the Powers had forgotten to tell Tara. Right, then. Find Kaia… who is actually Buffy, and maybe Buffy will know how to find the real Kaia.

Moving stealthily, Spike hid behind some bushes, seeing a clearing near the water’s edge. Dark haired people dressed in crude animal skins and furs were working on various tasks and talking to each other in a language he didn’t understand. Dropping his head at the obstacle ahead, he realized he was dressed in his jeans, black t-shirt and combat boots. Bloody wonderful! Oh, I wonder if I will look out of place. He needed to think, to plan. Should he approach those people? Surely he would look like a threat. He scanned the cave folk once more, looking for a blond head. Not a one.

The sun was sinking behind a bluff to his back. He needed to find shelter, and he needed to decide what to do next, and quick. Bloody Hell! I hope there’s no dinosaurs!


__________



Buffy and Groma sat facing each other as they ate silently. Groma was happy to see the young woman’s appetite was back, but the vacant look on her face was becoming very worrisome.

“Buffy? I need you to talk to me.” Groma began and scooted close to her.

Buffy didn’t move away, or even look at Groma. “I have decided.”

Groma stilled, and placed her hand on Buffy’s back, as she waited for her to say more.

Buffy looked at Groma with Kaia’s eyes as they filled with tears. “I will have this child. I will have this child for Kaia.”

Groma could see the torment Buffy was going through, and had to reassure her. “This child will not be a reminder of Kahn; it will be reminder of life. The child is an innocent and will be loved regardless of who its father is. Please don’t let this haunt you.”

Buffy shook her head. “I will have this child for Kaia, not just because it is dear to her, but because I think it is her.”

Groma stared at her shocked. “Why? What are you saying?”

“The morning the sickness began… was the last time I felt Kaia. I think this may be her way back into your world.” Taking a deep breath, she went on. "I know I sound crazy, but she’s not in my head anymore. I can’t hear her any more, but I know she’s still with me.” She placed her hand on her still flat belly. “I will protect this child every way I can, but I am weak, and scared.”

Groma hugged her tight, unsure of what this all meant or what the future would hold.


__________



Willow’s glamour spell dissipated shortly after she left the Magic Box, laughing like a crazy woman.

The mummy hand was something live from the past needed to draw the demon to her. She had everything she needed to bring the Beast to her and hold him captive until he granted her wish. “How dare he threaten me! I think he might make a good pet.”

She started setting up for her next spell immediately upon getting back to her place. That demon was not going to intimidate her again. She was powerful now—more than he realized—and she planned on using his power to show him.

She laid out a large pentagram on the floor with bloodstained sand, and surrounded it with a tall black candle at each point of the star. The mummy hand was was placed next to the black stone on the hearth, writhing within the glass jar it had been sold to her in.

Willow surveyed her surroundings, content with the setup, and began. As she started calling on the elements for power, wind whipped through the missing windows of the building, howling as it swirled. Sparks of lightning from unknown sources struck the unlit candles, lighting them in sequence. Once the candles were lit, the red sand ignited and a portal was opened in the center of the star.

The swirling air drowned Willow’s chant out as she called for the demon to be delivered to her. The giant horned beast suddenly appeared within the shaft of light in the center of the star.

“HA! How dare you threaten me, Beast? My will be done!” Willow raised her hands, electricity flowing from her fingers as she screamed.

The Beast threw his horned head back with a roaring laugh.

“You foolish mortal! You have delved into powers beyond your comprehension, despite being warned!” The Beast spread his scaled arms wide as he shouted out his incantation in some guttural language and swiftly clapped his hands together.

The flames rose to the ceiling and Willow fell as she backed away from the fire. In a flash of light, Willow found herself bound. Bound within the confines of her own trap as the Beast looked on.

“Now, stupid witch, punishment time is here.” He threw his head back and laughed once more.
End Notes:
Please review :)
Chapter 23 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Many thanks to Sotia and PB for the outstanding (and quick) beta job! *huggles*
Chapter 23


Willow refused to cry within her constraints, denying the Beast the opportunity to see one moment of weakness. She needed to remember a spell, any spell, to get free.

“Willow Rosenberg. Stupid human.” The Beast’s voice boomed, making her cringe. “You think playing with spells and trinkets will make your meager powers grow? All you have managed to do is disturb forces you have no comprehension of. The magnitude of chaos you have caused within dimensions is nearly immeasurable. The Powers That Be are now involved, in an attempt to save their champion that you so carelessly tossed into an unknown realm.” He paused, taking a good look at her before he continued. “Without the Slayer, the world as you know it is out of balance. You would think I would enjoy the imbalance, but you’d be wrong. The world won’t allow an imbalance. It makes sacrifices to correct itself. And since I’m not one for self-sacrifice, I’ve come to make things right. ” The Beast paced around her as he spoke, the walls reverberating with its heavy footfalls on the floor.

Facing her, he went on. “I am here, not because of your pathetic attempt to summon me, but because I have a job to do. Now, I could kill you—that’s an effective option—or I could teach you a lesson.”

Willow struggled within the bonds that held her.

“I think I will get far more satisfaction teaching you a lesson, but I’m confident you will soon be begging me to kill you, just to end your torment.”


__________



Spike didn’t think that he would be safe if he just hung out in the woods. The sun would be setting soon, and he realized there was no shelter around, other than the large cave obviously belonging to the Neanderthals who ran around in the clearing. Taking advantage of the sun not frying his skin, Spike climbed up the hillside directly across from the cave. He needed to find a spot where he could get an overview of the area. He not only wanted to look for Kaia and her blond hair, but he wanted to be able to watch out for whatever threats he needed to be prepared for.

At the crest of the hill, he found a tree with a thick trunk to lean against, which was also sturdy enough to support him, should he need to climb it.

Spike watched the cave people return to their lodgings, as day became night. Noticing the sentries who took up posts at the entrance of the cave, he figured he needed to be alert. They were protecting their home from something.


__________



The phone rang in the living room of the Summers’ house, just as Tara was walking in the door with Giles, having picked him up at the airport. Dropping her keys on the table, she managed to grab the receiver before the call went to the answering machine.

“Hello?” she said quickly.

“Tara? Hey, it’s Cordy. Just wanted to check in with you and see if anyone was able to make it through the portal yet.” Not giving the Wiccan time to answer, she went on. “Also, wanted to let you know, Willow’s spell on Angel has worn off. He’s pretty freaked out, and has a tummy ache from all the ice cream he ate on the way back to LA.”

“Yeah, Cordy. The portal chose Spike. And I know everyone will be relieved to know that Angel is doing better.”

Tara listened as Cordy relayed the information to Angel, and his rant that followed.

“Ok, Tara, I have to go calm my broody boss. Don’t hesitate to call if you need anything.”

Tara could hear Angel in the background, yelling, “Spike? Are you kidding me!? Spike is the only one who can bring her back?! Maybe Tara misunderstood the Oracles. Let me talk to her… Gimme the phone, Cordy.”

“Gotta go. Tell Giles I said, hello stranger,” Cordelia said hurriedly. “Chat again soon.” And the line went dead.

Tara hung up and turned to Giles, and Dawn, who was just coming down the stairs, yawning. “Willow’s spell on Angel wore off, but now he’s all cranky because Spike was chosen,” she told them with a shrug that showed how little she cared about Angel and his reactions.

With the exact same degree of interest, Giles set his luggage down and asked where he could put his things.

“You will be staying in my room, G-man. I’m bunking with Tara,” Dawn offered. “Also, it’s officially your turn to Buffywatch. I have school. But, if one of you wants to forge Buffy’s name on a note, I will be glad to take the next shift too.” Dawn searched their faces, hoping for a nod.

“No deal. Go get ready, and I will get breakfast together while Giles checks in on Buffy.” Tara was in mom-mode.

Giles followed a grumpy Dawn up the stairs, and into her bedroom, as the girl opened the door for him. Dawn was smirking as she left him there so she could take a shower.

“Good Lord! How am I supposed to sleep with all these stuffed animals, Dawn?” Deciding he would just bag them up, he went to check on Buffy.

Buffy had always been like a daughter to him; he loved her. Even though she had grown so much as a person since she had walked into his life, she looked smaller than ever before, the way she was curled up in her bed. He saw the orb Tara had told him about, its energy swirling constantly within its confines.

I hope Spike knows how to get her back. Surely the Powers That Be know what they are doing…




__________



Buffy and Groma decided that they needed to hide the entrance to their cave, allowing Buffy more rest at night. With branches and plants, they fashioned a panel that could be secured at sundown, camouflaging them into the face of the bluff. Buffy had even managed to rig a chimney flue through an existing crevice in the rock above them. With the new security measures in place, both women seemed to relax more.


As the baby inside her grew, Buffy found a new peace within herself. She had never considered having children—her life expectancy being so short, and being attracted to vampires sort of ruled it out. Now, every evening, before they closed the door, to tuck themselves in, Buffy sat in the sun—her hand resting on her belly, feeling the life growing inside her—and spoke to Kaia. She told the girl about the things she’d done during the day, told her about dreams she’d had, shared stories of her life back home.

Groma witnessed the bond between Buffy and the child, and prayed that Buffy was right. She missed Kaia, but she was willing to wait for her daughter to return to her.


__________



Darkness fell, surrounding Spike in the shadows of a foreign land. Then, as if on cue, he sensed them. Vampires, definitely, and old. Very old.

He watched as they appeared from nowhere, hunting for food, hunting for blood. Draining everything that crossed their path. He watched so intently that he almost missed the rapid heartbeat hidden within the bushes directly below him.

That’s a human! Spike quickly cooked up a plan and silently made his way down the hill.

He could smell him now. It was a young boy, and he was terrified. Spike needed to get close enough to grab him, cover his mouth, and get him back to his cave.

Reaching out rapidly, he secured the boy, but not before he screamed at the top of his lungs. The panicked child kicked and bit him, struggling to be released. Trying to ignore him, Spike ran towards the cave, struggling to not drop the squirming child.

“Will you stop fighting me, boy?! Trying to save your ass!” Spike whispered, noticing the other vampires had seen him and were now chasing him. Running, Spike had to wonder if Buffy had this kind of reaction back in Sunnydale while playing the hero. This job sucks. Whoever said being a hero was rewarding was an idiot.

The sentries saw Spike rushing their entrance and immediately took a defensive stance against him.

“Let us in!” Spike screamed repeatedly to no avail.

As he reached the entrance, he released the child, who kicked him on the shin—hard—before running into the cave, leaving Spike with a sore leg and surrounded by four large cavemen with sharp wooden spears pointed at his chest.

“What the hell is wrong with you people?! I save your brat and I get bitten, kicked, and now you want to poke me with sharp sticks! Unbelievable!” Spike looked back, assessing his situation.

Figuring he was better off fighting the vampires, he turned and ran back towards his original spot on the hill. He made it about halfway before an ancient vampire tackled him.
End Notes:
PLEASE REVIEW!
Chapter 24 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Many thanks to PB and Sotia for beta'ing, love you guys! Sorry in advance for the short chapter, but RL is keeping me busy. More next week I promise.
Chapter 24


The rapidly approaching vampires had forced Spike to make a quick decision. Obviously, the cave dwellers had had no intention of letting him in, so that had left one option. Run.

Spike knew his best chance for survival at that point was to avoid conflict and find Buffy as fast as he could. But before he could find a place to hide and observe his opponent, he had been taken to the ground by one of two vampires that had followed him.

Clawing and scratching at each other, not only attempting to show dominance, but taking the other’s life in no consideration, they were now fighting to the death.

Scrambling to get back on his feet, Spike managed to get his assailant off him by pressing and digging his thumbs into the ancient thing’s eyes, and roughly pushing it away as it screamed in pain.

As the injured vamp rolled on the ground, writhing in agony, the other advanced on him.

“So, you wanna give it a go too? Seeing your mate on the ground not enough to scare you off, eh?” Spike circled his opponent, looking for a point of weakness. Finding none, he looked for his best opportunity to attack. “Not the most hospitable to your kinfolk are you?” Spike snarked, then shifted his features to show them he was not human. “See? Can’t you sense we are of the same blood?” His adversary roared as if provoked.

Suddenly, the vamp attacked, lunging for Spike’s neck. Spike was unable to avoid the attack and landed roughly on his back, a growling beast gnashing its razor sharp teeth inches from his neck.

Grunting and struggling to get some sort of leverage, Spike was inching his pinned hands up the attacker’s chest. Once he reached its neck, Spike did all that might possibly save him. Grasping the leathery head of the prehistoric vamp with both hands, he gave it a quick and severe twist to the left. That was all it took. In a cloud of dust, it was gone.

Spike stood, dusting himself off, and walked over to the injured vamp that was no longer writhing on the ground, but getting up–its eyes already beginning to heal. “Not so fast there, great-great-great-great granddad. Let me help you up.” Repeating his actions with the first vampire, he grabbed and twisted, effectively decapitating the second vamp.

Spike knew he needed to seek shelter until the sun rose, so back to the top of the hill once more he went, only this time there was no more saving ungrateful cave brats.


__________



Buffy woke with a start, and—unsure of what had woken her—quickly armed herself. She sensed something, and she thought she heard screaming in the distance. Her heart pounding within the young cave girl’s body, she struggled to calm herself, realizing there was no immediate danger.

“What is it, child? Are you ill?” Groma could see the perspiration glistening on her daughter’s brow in the flickering light of their fire.

“No, Groma. I’m fine. The night sounds just woke me.” Buffy smiled at Groma, who was settling back under her furs, but keeping alert as well. “Go back to sleep, I will stand guard until I am sure the threat is not close.”

Stoking the fire, Buffy finally calmed and sat listening to the night outside their small cave; animals scurrying below, owl-like birds crying out into the darkness. Those were normal sounds of that land. Still, something had her on alert.

Staring into the fire, mesmerized by the dancing flames, Buffy thought of her previous life. She missed her life, even with all the chaos that came with it. She remembered her last days, before Willow’s spell. And Spike.

She closed her eyes to fight back the tears that threatened to fall. She had tried so hard not to think of him, not to think of how she hadn’t told him of her request to Willow, how hurt he had to be.

Buffy’s hand once more came to rest on her belly. It was just beginning to swell with life, something she was now grateful to be a part of, but wished she had someone to share it with.

Spike…

Tears fell freely, as she silently wept for her loss. She knew now that her place was there. Groma was aging, and Buffy had noticed that she was having difficulty with getting around lately. Arthritis, I think. Her knuckles swell and she seems to be in pain a lot. She never complains to me, but she struggles with even getting to our cave. If only we didn’t have to be so high on the bluff. Groma’s health was just a small worry added to her long list. She remembered her own mother, and her painful illness. How she hadn’t complained, then one day… she was gone. What will I do if something happens to Groma?

Buffy forced those thoughts out of her head. She needed rest. Climbing back under her furs, she fell into a fitful sleep, dreaming of her lost life.



__________



Willow watched the Beast circle her, obviously pondering her punishment. I must stay strong, mustn’t let him know he’s breaking me. Surely I have some spell that will allow my escape.

The Beast stopped, raised one finger and pointed it at Willow’s face. She cringed, unintentionally, and it was not lost on it.

“I see you try to fake your strength—even in the presence of true power—yet I smell your fear oozing from every pore of your pale human skin,” it roared in laughter and swiped his long, clawed finger through the air.

Willow was slashed with an invisible supernatural force. Her blouse ripped, and blood beaded up in the long cut from her cheek to her torso. A whimper escaped her as the demon it cut its gnarled, finger through the air, slicing through her clothes and skin once more.

The unseen attack continued till Willow’s body was completely naked and bleeding, still suspended in the center of the room. She continued to hold back her tears, pleading with her own conscience to be strong.

“Flaying is such a lost art. Don’t you think, witch?” The Beast admired his work, circling her once more. Another wave of his hand and a long thin strip of Willows skin slowly fell away from her now bloody body, making a sickening wet sound as it hit the concrete floor beneath her.

The skinning continued over the next few hours. Willow passed out several times from the pain, bringing the torture to a pause until the Beast knew she was awake and they could continue.

Her lack of response and failure to break had the Beast reconsider his punishment. When she woke again, he tried something new.

Standing close enough to touch her now, it plunged its hands into the sides of her head. Willow screamed out at the invasion. “Now,” it said, wiggling his fingers around her brain, “Let’s find out what’s important to you in your pathetic little life.”

Withdrawing its fingers, it laughed. “Seems that you have a few things you value. This one looks like it might be entertaining.” Pacing in front of the barely lucid witch, it said one more word. “Tara…”

Willow tried to scream; only no sound came from her mouth.
End Notes:
review? please?
Chapter 25 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thank you Sotia and PaganBaby for betaing, and to any and all that voted for this fic over at Sunnydale Memorial Awards. I'm tickled pink at the wins *smooches you all*
Chapter 25


Spike watched the sun rise over the bluff. The beauty of such a simple daily occurrence brought tears to his eyes. It had been so long since he had seen nature in its full majestic reveal. The shadows gracefully moved across the ground, as life stirred in dawn’s early hours. The only thing that could make it better, would be sharing it with Buffy.

Signs of life from the cave indicated it was time for him to move. He would make one attempt to ask for help, but would not allow any more time to pass. He needed to find Buffy.

He walked down the hill once more, kicking the pile of dust from last night’s fight as he walked towards the caves inhabitants who were going about their daily chores.

He took notice that the sentries that had been posted last night were nowhere to be seen. Apparently, they don’t have guards during the day. This is good to know.

Spike knew, after the previous night, he would probably be considered a threat as soon as he approached. The fact that he looked different, and didn’t speak their language wasn’t going to help either.

The women and children of the cave were milling about, and the few men he saw seemed to be supervising. No one appeared armed—at least none carried sharp wooden spears like the guards had the night before.

Spike sat hidden by the bushes, waiting to make his move, when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He spun around and luckily didn’t vamp out on reflex. The boy from the previous night stood just behind him, hand extended and grinning from ear to ear. He spoke a guttural language that Spike had never heard before, but it was obvious from his body language that he wanted Spike to come with him. I don’t know how he was able to sneak up on me, but this might work even better than I had planned.

He stood and took the boy’s grubby hand, allowing the child to lead him towards the cave.

The reaction to his walking with the boy was exactly what he expected. The cave people scattered, running back toward the cave, but the boy pulled him closer to the cave’s entrance. Just before the rocky incline, the boy stopped and said something to him that Spike was pretty sure meant stay here while I get someone with a pointy stick.

He watched the boy disappear just inside, and for a brief moment thought that was a bad idea, but the boy returned, almost as quickly as his previous thought, with an old man. The old man was being pulled out of the cave, and the boy seemed to be explaining something to him. I hope he’s telling him that I saved his ass last night and not something like I was hiding in the bushes staring at the little children.

The old man looked at Spike and stopped dead in his tracks. The boy continued to tug on his arm, but was shooed away, obviously instructed to get back in the cave. Spike watched as two large men came up behind the elder, trailing after him as the man began walking towards Spike once more.

Spike was unsure what to do, afraid to offend, yet concerned for his safety.

The elder stood before him and said some words Spike had no idea what they meant. Spike shrugged and shook his head as he spoke. Both looked at each other and recognized they couldn’t understand one another. Finally, after a minute or so of pure silence, the elder tapped his palm on his chest, and said, “Hourak.”

Spike acknowledged Hourak, and tapped his own chest and said, “Spike.”

Spike looked around, trying to figure a way to communicate with Hourak, when he saw a stick off to the left. He slowly made his way to the stick, making sure that the guards knew he meant no harm. He picked up the stick and drew in the sand a stick figure of a girl. He then ran his hands through his hair freeing his white curls, and said, “Kaia?”

The look on Hourak’s face told him he was understood. That old man could help him, but would he?


__________



The sounds of birds woke Buffy, making her realize she must have slept in. Usually, Groma was up making the morning meal before the birds’ first peep. Not that day. Buffy rose quickly and rushed to Groma. The woman was still in her furs, but awake.

“Groma? Are you alright?” Buffy felt the older woman’s forehead, checking for fever, and found it cool to the touch.

“I will be fine, Buffy. My body is old, and the cold preys on my bones. Mornings have become difficult for me.” Groma’s face was strained as she started to sit up, pain shooting through her limbs. “If you could prepare the fire, it would help.”

“Lie back down, Groma. Let me get the place warmed up, and I can make the meal, and bring it to you. I’m concerned you aren’t getting enough rest. Can you tell me what hurts? Is there something I can get you?” Buffy asked.

Groma ignored Buffy’s offer, and struggled to stand. “You are with child now, and you need more rest than I do. Buffy, I am old. My body reminds me every morning I have lived a long time with its aches. I will use the salve we made yesterday, and brew some tea for pain relief. Now, get the fire going, and open the panel so that the sun can enter.”

Buffy nodded and went to put more wood on the fire, but watched Groma as she went about her morning tasks. The woman was in pain, and it looked worse than the days before. Buffy didn’t know what to do to help her, but would try to make her life easier.

The fire was blazing as Buffy moved the panel away from the cave’s entrance and breathed in the brisk morning air. There was a certain electricity in the air that prickled her skin. Something was coming, and she wasn’t sure if it was good or bad, but it was coming soon.


__________



Hourak stared at the strange man’s clothing and his hair. He’d only ever seen one other person that looked similar to him, and he had just said her name. Kaia

Could this be one of her people? How would they know she survived? Or her given name? I knew she was different, special, but could have she contacted her people to help her? Will she leave with this man? And if she does, what will happen to Groma? Will she leave the valley too?

Hourak nodded to the man, and called for the boy. The boy came running, he had been near, trying to watch or hear anything that was said.

“Get my walking stick, and my water hide. I will take the stranger to Kaia. Tell the other Elders I will be making a trip.” Hourak instructed the boy and asked for the stick from Spike.

Hourak drew two male figures in the sand, and an arrow pointing toward the female figure Spike had sketched. He then looked to Spike to see if he’d been understood.

As Spike was processing the older man’s offer to help him find Kaia, the boy came running out of the cave with a tall knotty wood stick. At first glance, Spike saw a weapon rushing toward him and he flinched, but—when the boy handed it to Hourak, who immediately leaned on it—he realized that the old man would really be helping him find Kaia, and the stick would help him make his journey.


__________



Buffy had prepared the morning meal and told Groma she would take care of the daily chores outside the cave, so that Groma could rest. She made her way down the bluff with ease. The sickness and tiredness that she had been accustomed to the past few months seemed to have disappeared, leaving her feeling amazing. Buffy wondered if taking care of Groma, focusing on something other than her own worries and discomfort was helping her feel better. It felt good to be useful and needed again.

She gathered the same kind of roots and herbs that they had used to make the salve she was sure Groma was using today, making sure she would have plenty if she needed it. Filling the hides with water, she returned them to the cave, so she could check up on Groma without her being the wiser.

Groma was lying down, something she never did mid-day. Buffy pulled a lightweight hide over Groma, not wanting her to catch a chill, and returned to her chores. She needed to stock up on wood. If the warmth of the fire helped the woman feel better, Buffy would make sure the fire never went out.


__________




Hourak led the way through the valley, hoping his old legs would let him make the journey before sundown, and that Groma and Kaia would welcome him and Spike when they arrived.

Hourak thought about Groma and worried that her living away from the clan might have been hard on her. He owed so much to her. She had been sitting by his side at the hearth for so long, that when she left, a part of him left as well. He missed her company as much as the clan missed their medicine woman.

And Kaia. His heart broke knowing what Kahn had done to her, and casting her out couldn’t have felt more wrong.

Spike was walking by his side now, so he was able to get a better look at him too. He stood taller than the clan’s men, and straighter. His skin was pale like Kaia’s, too, and his eyes were different as well. He could tell Spike was eager to locate Kaia, even seemed worried. I have so many questions. I hope Kaia will be able to understand him…


__________



Buffy had bundled up a large pile of kindling and was using the wedge and stone to split larger pieces of wood. The sun was high in the sky as the afternoon wore on, and Buffy found herself becoming overheated. She removed her outer hides, leaving only a primitive leather bustier on. Her belly swell was evident, and she had to loosen the laces to accommodate its growth as well as her new larger breasts.

Deciding it was time for a break, she took a walk to the creek. After a cool drink, she would finish with the wood and still have time to make dinner for Groma.


__________



Spike could hear rushing water in the distance. He hoped they would arrive soon; he was becoming worried about the old man who was tired, and winded. He would insist that when they reached the water, they’d take a break.

The water’s edge was only a few feet away and Spike saw some large stones near its edge. He rushed ahead of Hourak and sat down on one of the stones. He indicated for the older man to have a seat.

Once he was seated, Hourak offered Spike a drink from his hide.

Spike gulped it down and offered to refill the hide, while the older man rested.



__________




Buffy’s walk to the creek was interrupted by a strange feeling. She had dreaded the creek after what had happened with Kahn, but that was different. She realized the feeling wasn’t dread, but her Slayer senses telling her that a vampire was nearby. But its broad daylight! Slipping behind some brush, she hid her presence, and looked for the threat.

What she saw shocked her. She stood and walked towards the water. And then she spoke.

“Spike? Is that really you?”
End Notes:
Reviews are muse food. Thanks to all that feed him.
Chapter 26 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Thanks PB and Sotia for betaing :) you guys rock, and this chap's for you MaryPerk. Happy Birthday! (everybody tell her HB and read her latest story :) )
Chapter 26


Spike, who had been kneeling at the water’s edge, saw movement behind the bushes on the other side of the creek. Prepared to defend the older man who had led him that far, he began backing up. As the interloper made their identity known, Spike dropped his defenses. He had never seen Kaia, but he knew her instantly. She was standing before him, but it wasn’t her. It was Buffy. He didn’t know how, but he knew it was his Slayer inside the young blonde’s body.

“Bu-Kaia? Is that you? Spike took tentative steps toward the blond girl, still very aware of the water that separated them. Is she pregnant?






Still bound by invisible restraints, bleeding and being skinned alive, Willow became worried for the first time. Tara… I must protect her; I can’t let him hurt her. I will do whatever he asks. Not Tara… I could never live with myself if something happened to her again.

The Beast watched the witch finally break. Seeing her crack in pain produced such pleasure. She was powerful, and had potential to grow stronger with time. That was something he had no intention of allowing.

“Tara,” he said drawing it out. “She is your lover—the one you hold dear—yet she hasn’t once come looking for you. I know she is a white witch, no dark in her at all. This is why she keeps her distance. She wants nothing more to do with you. She cares for another…” He spun to face her, and drove his fingers into the sides of her head once more. Willow’s screams fell on deaf ears. “A vampire. She chose a vampire over you, yet shuns you for your use of dark magic. That’s got to burn. Did you think this would fix everything? Make her love you again? Bring the Slayer back?” Roaring laughter bounced off the inside walls of the mansion, rattling its very foundation.

“Please…” Willow struggled to say. She couldn’t gather enough strength to say anything more, and faded into unconsciousness as the Beast removed his fingers.






The Summers’ residence was quiet as its residents and guests waited. Giles and Dawn took alternating shifts watching over Buffy’s body. Tara had taken to massaging and working the muscles in Buffy’s limbs, concerned about atrophy. Xander and Anya had mostly come bearing food each day, hoping to lighten the somber mood that had settled within the house.






Groma woke covered in sweat, pain coursing through her entire body. Needing to get a drink, she struggled to push the hides off her. She knew her fever was too high, and she needed water to ward off dehydration. She found the water skins Buffy had filled and left for her, as well as the salve near her bed. Unsure she could have gone far, she was thankful that Buffy had left them nearby. Groma drank as much as she could, then settled herself back under her hides. She asked the Spirit Guide to return Buffy soon. She didn’t feel like she was getting better, and needed the comfort of not being alone.






Hourak watched stunned as Kaia spoke to the stranger in a dialect he had only just heard that day. How did she know? Where could she have learned? She was too young when Groma found her to have learned from her clan… He watched Spike rise and begin to wade through the water towards Kaia, who was standing on the opposite side, tears streaming down her face. He watched as Spike reached her and something stopped him. He did not embrace her as one would have thought, but stood before her like he was unsure how to proceed. Hourak struggled to hear their conversation, but the flowing water drowned it out. He would have to wait.

Spike looked into her eyes. He knew she was in there before she even spoke, but she was in a different body. The body of a young girl; strong, and toned, and visibly pregnant.

Buffy stared at Spike, studying his confusion, wondering if he knew it was her. “Spike?”

“Buffy? Are you in there? Can you hear me?” He reached out and placed his hand on her shoulder.

Buffy threw her arms around him, burying her face in the crook of his neck as she let the tears fall. She’d never thought she’d find a way home, and certainly never thought anyone would come find her. “Oh, Spike,” she said through her sobs. “I have missed you so much. I never thought I’d see you again.” She clung to him tightly, fearful this reunion might be an illusion.

“Buffy,” he whispered, finally allowing himself to return her embrace, moving past the fact that she didn’t look like herself. He held her tight as his mind ran through what her life must be like in this world. She’s young and pregnant, and… alone? Is she an outcast? Why was she out here alone, so far away from the large cave?

Buffy suddenly pulled away, shocked, and yelled, “Spike! You’re in the sun? Are you still a vampire here?” Her face showed concern and joy at the same time, her emotions rolling over her like waves at high tide.

“I’m fine. Still a vamp, just able to walk in the sun. Now tell me, what… pregnant? Buffy?” It just occurred to Spike that she might have met someone.

Buffy placed her hands on her belly, and her gaze lowered in embarrassment. “Yes. But now’s not the time to talk about that.” Buffy looked across the creek and called out to Hourak in the tribe’s language, “Hourak! I’m so glad to see you. Let me come to you and help you cross. Groma will be so excited to see you.” Buffy then explained to Spike what she had said to Hourak.

“Let me help him. You should be careful in your condition.” Spike lifted her face to his. “Let me help you. Is Groma…” Spike swallowed hard, not wanting the words to leave his mouth, fearing it was true. “Your mate?”

Buffy blushed. “No, Spike, I have no mate. Groma… she is my mother. Well, Kaia’s mother, and I can’t wait to introduce you. Now, go get Hourak while I fill these skins.”

Spike walked through the water, offered Hourak his arm and led him to Buffy’s side. Or is it Kaia’s side? When he had the old man on dry land once more, he turned to her and asked, “Should I call you Buffy or Kaia? This is so confusing, and I have so many questions.”

“Call me Kaia for now; Hourak doesn’t know yet, but Groma does. We can get this all sorted when we get to my cave.”

Spike watched her walk over to Hourak and embrace him. From the older man’s expressions, Spike picked up that he was happy to see Kaia, but it was obvious that her pregnancy concerned him. I’m missing an important piece to this puzzle. He didn’t know she was pregnant either… Spike heard her say Groma’s name a few times, and the old man smiled. Does the old man have a history with Kaia’s mom? Bloody hell, it’s like a caveman soap opera with vampires. I would definitely watch that show.

The three of them walked, Buffy trying to translate between the two men, promising each of them that she would explain as much as she could once they were settled in for the night. She told them both that Groma had been feeling bad, and she needed to get back to the cave and get the evening meal started before the older woman got up and started it herself.

Buffy lead Spike and Hourak to where she had been splitting wood, and bundled up what she had finished so she could get it up the bluff. Spike watched in amazement as the young girl, who seemed so tall and gangly, went about gathering and binding the wood like a seasoned woodcutter. He had never imagined that Buffy would be able to handle those types of chores. Looks like things have changed…

“Let me help, Kaia. I can carry the wood, you carry the water bags, and Hourak can follow you. Do you need me to get anything else for your meal? I could hunt, I… may need to anyway.” Spike looked concerned. He didn’t want Hourak to know he was a vampire, but he needed to feed. He needed blood.

Buffy talked as she led them up the bluff. “Are you sure you need blood? Maybe dinner will fix your hunger. I mean you are walking in the sun and all. If not, I will come out with you to hunt. There are vampires here that are unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. It’s not safe to be out after dark alone…”

Her tone had dropped, letting Spike know something bad had happened to her after dark. When she didn’t say anything else, he knew it was not a topic she was ready to discuss. He would wait until they were alone, but he had a lot questions he needed answers to before they could begin their quest home. If I had a clue how that was supposed to open the portal, or if I was under a time limit, or what was going to happen to Kaia when Buffy leaves… “Sounds good, I will help you make dinner and—if needed—we can go out after. Besides, I want some time alone with you to talk. And I ran into those vamps last night outside Hourak’s cave.” He shrugged, like they hadn’t been all that. "Old breed; same as the Master, I believe. Beheading seemed to work, but they are strong. More demon than human, I think.”

“Okay... Let me go in and let Groma know we have company before you come in. I don’t want to scare her.” Having said so in both languages, Buffy left the men standing on the ledge and turned to enter the cave.

Groma had slept all day, and her fever seemed to have broken. She was weak, but feeling better for the time being. Her daughter’s voice had woken her, but as she listened, she realized she couldn’t understand what she was saying. Then she had heard a male voice speaking the same language, that she didn’t recognize. Am I so ill that I no longer recognize speech? Who is she speaking with? Groma got up, unsure of whether to arm herself or prepare a meal for company. She opted for the first choice. Grabbing a spear she stood behind her hearth and waited. She saw Buffy arrive with two men—one she didn’t recognize and the other was her old friend Hourak. Setting her spear down, she started walking toward them, only to stumbled and started falling… falling into the hearth.

Spike saw the old woman falling, and realized that Buffy hadn’t noticed her and wouldn’t be able to get to her in time. His vampire speed allowed him to get to Groma in time to catch her, but he stepped in the hearth in the process. As Spike was helping the woman sit down, Hourak and Buffy rushed to extinguish the fire on his leg. Panic flooded Buffy as she saw the flames on his leg. Please don't dust! Oh, Spike!

His jeans sustained most of the damage, but his leg was burned badly. Groma, still weak, asked Buffy to get herbs and bring them to her, while Hourak used his stone knife to cut away the burned denim from Spike’s injury. Groma used her remaining water to clean his leg as Buffy handed her the herbs.

Groma tore the leaves to press into the wound when she realized the wound was healing on its own. Right before her eyes. Hourak had seen it too, and was mesmerized by it. Buffy wasn’t sure what to say, or if she should say something. She was so thankful that he was still here after his heroic feat. “Spike? Do you want me to say something to them?”

Spike saw that they seemed fascinated, but not scared. “No. Maybe later. Tell them I will be fine, and let’s get a meal started. We will go over everything with them later.”

Buffy did as he asked, and told them that she and Spike would get the meal together. She promised to explain everything to them both during the meal.

Wanting Groma to relax, Hourak offered to tend to the hearth, which they all agreed was a good idea.

As Buffy was walking to their food storage, she caught Groma’s eye. “It’s him,” she mouthed with an excited smile.

Groma smiled, seeing her daughter so happy, but she couldn’t help but wonder if that meant Buffy would be leaving her to return to her own time. What does this mean for Kaia’s body? Or the baby? Would she be left all alone? Groma could feel her heart race, and her stomach clench as she wondered about the future.

Hourak could see something was very wrong with Groma. Having placed another log on the fire, he sat next to his old friend. “Groma, how long have you been ill? You don’t look well at all.”

“I have been sick only a few days, but it has been very difficult. I am starting to wonder if my days are coming to an end, and I am worried about Kaia and the baby.” Groma looked to her oldest friend. “So much has happened, so much is happening, I don’t know what to think anymore. Now, this man… what does this all mean?”

Hourak embraced her, unsure how to comfort her. He, too, hoped that after that evening, things would be a little clearer.
End Notes:
I'd love to know your thoughts on this. If you have the time, a review is always welcome.
Chapter 27 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay, but I have been down with the flu and still working my way back to my normal routine. If anyone reading this, also reads The Day It All Changed, I will try to finish up the next chapter this week to post as well.
Chapter 27


Spike watched Buffy prepare the meal, amazed by her transformation; not just the change her outward appearance, but the sense of peace that seemed to have taken her over. Even in this time of obvious stress, she seemed happy. Happy? Have I ever seen her happy? I wonder if she will ever want to leave… “Buffy? Are you okay? I mean, really okay?” He knew she wanted to wait to discuss things, but he needed to know. Seeing her as Kaia disturbed him. That girl—it wasn’t just her looks that were similar, there was something else. Something… he knew. She’s a Slayer.

Buffy felt warm just being in Spike’s presence again. She knew it had to be bizarre for him to see her like that, but she was thankful he’d recognized her right away. She knew that he needed to know all about what had been going on in her life, but she wasn’t ready to tell him everything just yet. She also knew that he wanted to get her home as soon as possible, but she wasn’t really sure she could go with him. Or even wanted to. “Yes, Spike, I am fine. Things are very complicated, but I feel like everything will work out just fine.” She smiled at him, letting him know she was being truthful. “Especially now that you’re here with me.” Grabbing a large bowl of food, she asked him to carry in the spare skins filled with water, and they joined Hourak and Groma.






Groma and Hourak had been talking between themselves while waiting for the meal. Groma had tried to explain what she could, to prepare Hourak for the shocking story he was about to hear. She had decided to start with the pregnancy that was obvious to everyone by now.

Hourak was struggling with his emotions, knowing that Kahn had hurt Kaia and left her with child, and that she then had been kicked out of the only home she had ever known. Looking at his old friend, he could see that leaving the clan had been hard on her too. She looked like she had aged years in the short amount of time they had been gone. He was worried about her health.

Groma could see her friend tormented by the decisions the clan had forced him to make, and wanted to comfort him. She placed her hand on his. “Hourak, this hasn’t been easy, but in many ways it has been a blessing. I have had more time to spend with my daughter, which is something I am grateful for each day.”

Hourak looked around, pleasantly surprised at how well-stocked and fortified their cave was. Kaia had done a fine job locating it and setting it up for Groma. There was nothing that they would need even for the upcoming winter. Except, can Kaia care for Groma during the hard winter months alone and heavy with child? I will bring them back, or I will stay with them. I must do something.

Buffy and Spike settled on the ground near the fire and passed the food and water to the elders. Spike took some food, hoping Buffy was right about it possibly sustaining him. He didn’t like the idea of taking her out hunting, in her pregnant state. Spike took a few bites, nervous that it would compare to the food Buffy had prepared back in Sunnydale. It wasn’t bad, and actually felt like it might stave off the hunger, but as far as eating actual food, he longed for that bloomin’ onion and some spicy wings.

Groma took a few bites, then started the conversation. She explained to Buffy that she had told Hourak of the pregnancy and confirmed Kahn’s attack. She saw the pain in her daughter’s eyes, knowing how hard it had to be to tell her newly arrived mate of the situation. Many men had been known to shun the woman they supposedly loved when they find out she'd been violated, that she was no longer 'pure' for him. But, from what Buffy had told her of Spike, he wouldn't turn her away or love her any less. She suggested that Buffy tell Spike while they ate.

Spike had been watching the women talk and could see not only the pain on Buffy’s face, but the love for her on Groma’s. He didn’t have to understand the language to know that the older woman had just brought up the pregnancy. He reached out, placing his hand on the girl’s shoulder, and said, “If you want to wait to tell me, I understand, and I’ll be here when you’re ready.”

Buffy covered his hand with her own and looked into his eyes. “I don’t need to wait.” She placed her free hand on her swollen belly, and asked, “Do you remember when I told you about Kaia calling to me in my dreams?”

Spike nodded, letting her go on at her own pace, and saving his questions for later.

“I went to Willow and asked her to help me get in touch with her, only Willow did something… Well, I’m not so sure it was wrong, but it definitely wasn’t what I expected.” Buffy turned her body so she was facing Spike. “There was a bad man. Hourak is an Elder of the clan, just like the man who was threatening Kaia. There’s a lot to the story, but it’s little things that I can share later. The point is, he was threatening her. But then he attacked her. Well, actually, he attacked me.” Buffy paused. Knowing Spike, he would explode in anger right about now.

Spike could feel his blood boil, but he remained composed in the presence of Groma and Hourak. I know what I will be hunting tonight…

Surprised that Spike hadn’t vamped out or started yelling, Buffy continued. “I think that without me here, Kahn would have killed her. She is strong, but if I hadn’t been training her, she never would have survived his attack—or the vampires’.” Buffy looked to Groma—who had been listening and watching her—and the woman nodded for her to go on. “Kaia is a Slayer. I think that’s why we had the spiritual link. When I arrived, she was with me, inside this body. I could feel her emotions, we could communicate. I tried to protect her, comfort her, not knowing how long I would be here or what dangers she would face.” She paused, remembering her first days after she’d arrived. She smiled, the conversation reminding her of all the things she and Kaia had taught each other in the first few weeks. “I was able to protect her from experiencing Kahn’s attack, but when we returned to the clan, everything changed. I was attacked by those vampires or blood drinkers as they call them here and was injured when Kahn found me. The clan doesn’t understand vampires or anything about them really. They feared I’d been turned, and wouldn’t let me back in. I think they were genuinely afraid I'd been turned, but many of them would have taken any opportunity to get rid of Kaia. Her differences scared them from the beginning. Groma left with me.” Buffy choked out the rest. “I wasn’t strong enough to stop him, but I killed him after.” She dropped her face into her hands quietly sobbing as her mind took her back to that fateful night.

Spike knew Buffy well, and was sure that the fact that she had killed a human was far more traumatizing than the actual rape. He reached out and pulled her into his lap. It felt strange to him, that stranger’s body resting against his chest. Kaia’s body didn’t fit as well as Buffy’s did, but it didn’t matter. Kaia, or Buffy, or whatever combination, needed comfort. He held her tight, gently rocking her as he whispered sweet words to calm her. “I would have drained him dry myself, if you hadn’t taken care of him, pet.”

Buffy cuddled against him, finding comfort in his familiar embrace. She had missed him more than she had known. But having him with her, made all her desires more vivid. She needed him, heart and soul, and it didn’t matter whether they were in Sunnydale or there. The only thing left to discuss with him now was the baby. And for that, she still needed a little more time.

Groma and Hourak watched the tender moment between the two, each missing that connection with another person in their own lives.

Groma knew it was time to tell Hourak about Buffy, to try and explain their relationship. Hating to interrupt, she asked cautiously. “Buffy? I think its time we tried to explain Spike to Hourak, hopefully without making either one of us look crazy.”

Buffy giggled at Groma’s comment, and translated to Spike as she slid off his lap. She reached for his hand and told Groma she could start, and she would translate to Spike as she spoke.

Groma mirrored Buffy’s previous position, facing her old friend. She worried that Hourak wouldn’t believe her, or—worse—think that she had lost her mind. For some reason, him believing her meant so much to her. She looked at Buffy one more time, and the blonde gave her the nod to begin. “Hourak, I need you to know, before I tell you this tale, that I was skeptical at first, but it will all make sense once I have told you everything. Please remember that as you hear what I am about to say.”

Hourak saw that Groma was troubled that he might not believe her, and it pained him. “Groma, after all we have been through together, I hardly believe that you would tell me anything less than the truth. Now, please, tell me everything.”

Groma decided to start the story with the day that Buffy had arrived. She reminded Hourak of the day that Kaia had been ill and had rested through the evening meal. Hourak nodded to let her know that he remembered the day. “Kaia had been helping, like she did every day, when she simply collapsed. When I rushed to her, she woke almost immediately, but the way she looked at me… It was almost as if she did not recognize me. I thought that maybe she had injured her head, but I was wrong. She did not know who I was.”

Groma paused, wanting to search Hourak’s expression at this point. His look remained inquisitive, so she continued. “Kaia had been troubled for many months about Kahn, and how the clan treated her, and had been asking the Spirit Guide to help her cope with her fears of what was to come in her future. Her requests were answered by a spirit called Buffy.” She knew that was where the story became difficult to believe, so she chose her words carefully.

Groma’s face reflected her concern, only to be comforted by Hourak taking her hand and squeezing it as he had seen Spike do. The warmth she felt allowed her to continue.

“Kaia had been communicating with Buffy, seeking guidance, only she was suddenly unable to reach her. From my understanding, a friend with magical powers thrust Buffy’s spirit back into her human body, and she was returned to her previous life, which prevented her from being able to reach Kaia. Kaia was devastated. I knew something was wrong, but had no idea at the time what it was. Buffy was equally distraught, enough that she sought her magical friend to help her reach Kaia.” Groma hoped she was telling Buffy’s side of the story right, not wanting any detail to be missed.

“Keep going, Groma. You are doing just fine,” Buffy announced seeing her surrogate mother’s apprehension.

“Buffy’s friend, Willow, cast a spell that somehow did more than allow her to communicate with Kaia. It put her spirit in Kaia. This happened on the day that Kaia missed the evening meal.” As Groma looked into her friends eyes, she could see shock and concern. “Buffy has been with us since that day.”

Hourak turned to Kaia. “Is this true? Are you not the Kaia I have known for all these years?”

Buffy responded, “I’m Buffy, but Kaia is not lost. She was with me when I arrived, teaching and explaining all the things in her world that are so different from my own.” With that, Buffy let Groma continue.

Groma went on. “You must have noticed a change in Kaia those last weeks at the cave. The way she dealt with Ullah and Kahn’s proposal? Kaia would never have had the strength to face the clan. Buffy is wise, and strong, and she was teaching her to be the same. Spike is her mate from their world.” Groma’s voice trailed off, the woman unsure of how to continue.

Hourak had picked up on the past tense that Groma had used and judged from the sad, lost look on her face, that something had changed. “Kaia… Or shall I say, Buffy?”

“I am Buffy, Hourak, but Kaia is here too. Only now, her spirit lives within the child. I know this is hard to understand, but I can only tell you what I know and feel to be true.” Buffy knew it was time to tell Spike when Hourak stood, excusing himself, and walked to the cave’s ledge to think.

Groma rose on unsteady legs, but managed to make her way out to Hourak. She knew Buffy needed some privacy, just as much as she needed to be available to Hourak should he have any questions.

“Catch me up, kitten. Obviously whatever Groma said upset him,” Spike said eagerly.

Buffy knew this would be hard, and that Spike might not believe her, but it was time. “Groma told him about how I got here, and about what has happened to Kaia. He’s having a hard time accepting it. I suppose you will too.”

“Go on, I’m ready,” Spike said as he prepared himself for the worst.

Buffy took a deep breath. “When I arrived here, Kaia was still in here with me. She explained and taught me how to do these things-” she directed his attention to all the things around her. “And I was there to help her with Kahn and the clan members, who were terrible to her.” She took a second to collect her thoughts, then continued. “But after… the pregnancy became obvious, she only spoke to me once more. I was so upset that Kaia—so young, and kicked out of her home—now had to face a pregnancy because of a rape.” Buffy had to pause, to wipe at her eyes. “A rape I couldn’t prevent. Groma offered to help stop the pregnancy, but Kaia refused. She told me this was her body, and probably her only chance to ever be a mother. She told me that even though this was Kahn’s child, it was hers as well. It was innocent.” Tears had started to fall as she spoke. “I told Groma this baby must be born. But then something happened. I don’t know when or where, but Kaia wasn’t there anymore. But—she is.” Buffy knew she was sounding as confused as he must feel. “I mean, she’s still with me, only she’s here now.” Taking his hand, she placed it on her swollen belly. “She’s here.”

Spike looked into her eyes, shocked by her revelation. He knew how magic worked, and he knew there were always consequences. He knew that she was speaking the truth, knew that this now complicated things above and beyond what he could have ever expected. “Buffy, I believe you. I really do. I don’t know what we are going to do now, but I need to tell you about what has been going on in Sunnydale. About Willow, and the Powers That Be, and your body.”
End Notes:
Reviews are always welcome, no matter what you say. It means a lot that you took the time to say anything at all.
Chapter 28 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
I must first apologize to all the loyal patient readers you have decided to open this update and continue. RL has been taking me on may ups and downs lately and as much as I wanted to sit and write, I just couldn't make it happen. So, hugs to all of you who returned, and know this is for you.
Chapter 28

Buffy sat staring at Spike after his statement. She knew him well enough to tell his tone indicated trouble. “I’m listening. I take it all is not great at home…” Before Spike could answer, she sputtered, “Is Dawn ok? Oh my God, I can’t believe I haven’t asked about her sooner. You must think I am a terrible sister.” Buffy hung her head briefly, embarrassed by her lapse in memory. Seeing Spike smile, she said, “Okay, enough about me and my faulty brain. Tell me everything.”

“Dawn’s fine. She’s with Tara and Giles. Oh, I forgot. Giles flew in to help out when the Powers That Be got involved,” Spike said matter of factly. He could see from the look on Buffy’s face that he needed to backtrack and start from the beginning.

He told her about Willow hiding her body in the basement, getting in way over her head, and now doing God-knows-what out at the mansion. He told her about Angel coming to Sunnydale after the call to LA had been made, and Willow’s subsequent spell on him. He was about to tell her about the Powers That Be, when Buffy suddenly began asking more questions in rapid fire succession.

“Is Tara okay? She must have been devastated. I knew Willow was getting into some very dark magick, but I had no idea she had crossed the line. Has anyone tried to talk to her? Is she going to be ok?” Buffy was deeply concerned for her best friend, feeling guilty that her request for help that had had pushed her to her breaking point.

Spike watched as tears swelled in the eyes of the young cave girl, but it was the Slayer he saw. “Buffy, it’s not your fault. You can’t save everyone, and she was deep into the dark magick when she brought you back. None of us acted on it then, or after you came back. We are all to blame, not you.”

Buffy saw the genuine concern on his face as he tried to comfort her. She knew he was right, but couldn’t help but feel like she was to blame. Willow was her best friend and she had not noticed how close she was to losing her sight of what was right and wrong. Her request had been the event that had caused the redhead to fall into the world of evil. She could almost feel the amount of trouble Willow was in. “No one has been able to reach her, have they? Has she… hurt anyone… yet?” She feared Spike’s answer, but knew she was probably the only person now who could pull her back. She needs me…

Spike watched as the multitude of emotions washed over the Slayer. She was torn between her own needs and those of her friends. He wanted to hold her but wouldn’t make a move unless he saw it was all right with her, so he’d try and comfort her with words. “Don’t worry about that right now. In your condition you need to try to not get upset.” They really needed to talk about that, as well. “I need to know what you want to happen with this pregnancy, because we will have to get back to Sunnydale. I’m not sure what the Powers That Be have lined up, but they, too, seem to want you back in our world.”

The Powers That Be? Did you talk to the Oracles? Wow, I haven’t even talked to them before. What did they say?” She was a little jealous, but the fact that they wanted her back made her feel needed. She liked that feeling. She also was proud of Tara’s new assertive attitude. It had always been a shame that Tara’s inner strength had remained hidden for so long. Once more, a wave of pride washed over her as she thought of Tara’s friendship.

“Wasn’t me they spoke to. Was Glinda. She’s the one who figured they’d be able to help us find you. But they weren’t exactly clear on their instructions. Made us all try to enter the portal. Peaches looked ridiculous, especially after Willow’s spell.” He explained how Tara had taken control of the situation and had worked with the Oracles, trying to get information on how to get Buffy back, and how Angel had been given Willow-watch and been zapped.

“I can’t believe I’ve missed so much.” Buffy hung her head once more, tears streaming down her face. “I’ve been so busy here, I never really thought of everything that could be going on at home.”

Spike finally gave in and pulled her close once more. “Pet, I don’t want to hear another word about it. You need to rest, and I am here to see to it. Now, tell me what needs to be done before everyone turns in.”

Buffy explained their normal routine, and showed him how the door she had fashioned worked to hide them at night.

The two ended up sitting on the ledge just as the sun was starting to set.

“Buffy?” Spike knew they had very little time left alone before the sun set, and wanted to take advantage of it. He took her small hand in his, turning it over and felt amazed that even though it wasn’t the Buffy he remembered, he knew with all his heart it was truly her.

Buffy squeezed his hand, knowing what he wanted to ask her. “I don’t want the baby born here, Spike, but I can’t leave Groma alone. I love her and need her as much as she needs to be with her daughter. We are family. I don’t think she could pull off living in Sunnydale with all the wackies around. I just don’t know what to do. I’m torn between my two worlds, and I’m going to be a mother soon in one of them.” Buffy suddenly got quiet, unsure of what Spike would say to her regarding keeping this baby. Looking to the stars, she seemed to be searching for answers.

“My love, my life, I will support you and be with you no matter what you choose. If we’re to stay here and I’m to start wearing a loincloth while helping you raise this child, so be it. If you want, we’ll go home, and the loincloth will be strictly for private time, my offer still stands. If you will let me, I’ll be the best father I can be to this child.” Spike lifted her hand and gently placed a kiss on her palm.

Buffy was speechless. She’d dreamed of this moment, panicked about this moment, but most of all, had prayed to anyone that would listen to her hopes and wishes of how this would play out. She knew this would be difficult, because of their lifestyles, and she knew her friends would have problems with it too when they got home. Screw it, and them. This is what I want and it’s what’s best for us. Choked up, she spoke to him. “I know things are not ideal, or normal, but I want nothing more than to have this child, and share all that comes with it, with you.”

Spike rose, offering a hand to his love. “Come inside, Kitten. We can work out all the details of our family in the morning.”

Buffy stood on her tiptoes, and gently placed a kiss on his lips, leery of his reaction to being kissed by her while she looked like someone else.

The moment their lips touched, Spike knew he was home. The woman in front of him looked like someone he’d never met, but this was the woman he never wanted to spend another moment away from. The woman who was willing to share a child with him; to give him a gift he never thought he would have after all the years he lived, nor all the years he had left. His arms found their way around her, and he returned her kiss. Home, was the only word he knew to describe the feeling.

Groma and Hourak saw the two kissing with the sun setting behind them, and marveled at the tenderness of the moment. Hourak slowly reached for Groma’s hand, and was surprised when her hand met his half way. The tender moment had not been lost on them.
End Notes:
Please let me know what you think, and once more.. thanks for reading.
Chapter 29 by CallMeKitten
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay, faithful reader. It is never my intention to leave you hanging... well, not too much. Enjoy this, as more is on the way :) Thanks PB for beta-ing and all your support *huggles*
Chapter 29

Spike led his love back inside the cave and helped her onto her sleeping furs and lay down beside her. Happy thoughts of the future left to come, was quickly followed by deep sleep, as they lay entwined in each other’s arms.

Groma and Hourak had both silently watched the couple settle in for the night, their own minds filled with uncertain thoughts of all of their futures.

Hourak listened to Groma’s breathing, waiting to hear it slow to indicate she had fallen asleep. When he was pretty sure she was still the only other person still awake, he whispered her name.

“Groma?”

The elderly woman rolled over to see her old friend's face smiling in the glow of the firelight. “Yes, Hourak?”

He looked upon her face like he had never seen her. He had always respected her for all she had done for the clan, but had never seen her as anything more than a friend. But right in that moment, his heart filled with emotion. He feared he would lose her to her sickness, or to the mysterious couple talking about leaving. He needed to tell her, and hoped she would consider his offer. Emboldened by being in the presence of a love such as Buffy and Spike’s, Hourak knew he had to act on his feelings.

“Groma, together we have cared for the many members of our clan, watched them grow and have families of their own. I’ve never asked for a mate, never even considered it. Not until this very moment. I see you as my equal, and living without you all these months, I have realized that I need you back by my side. Groma, would you consider an aged man as your faithful mate for what is left of our lives?” Hourak took a deep breath, and steeled himself for her answer.

Groma watched as Hourak bowed his head as he was sure she would refuse him. Propping herself up so she could see his face more clearly, she spoke. “My dear Hourak, I would love nothing more than to return to the clan, not only as the medicine woman, but as your mate, but…” she paused and lowered her voice in disappointment. “But I am old and weak, and the clan has made their decision. I am an outcast. My daughter needs me now more than ever, and I cannot leave her.”

Reaching out, he cradled her cheek in his hand. “We are both old and weak, but together we can be strong. I will stand up for you and convince the elders to welcome you back, or I will stay with you here. This could be our home. Kaia is with Buffy and Spike now and even though I do not completely understand what is happening, I am confident they will make sure she is cared for. I think Spike is right and we should help them find their way home. However that may be.” He patted the empty space on his furs and motioned to her to join him. “Will you honor me with your presence at this hearth tonight?”

The woman had thought of this wise old man for years, saddened that he had never looked upon her as worthy to be his mate. She could see the care and love in his eyes as he had spoken to her. “I have many questions and concerns about Buffy and Kaia and how they will make this mystical journey, but I too believe that Spike has been sent to care for them, my daughters. A deep, rose blush appeared on the woman’s deeply etched face. “I would be honored.”

Hourak helped her move closer, covered her with his thick furs and wrapped his arms around her for the first time. “You have made me very happy, Groma, and I will spend every moment I have left in this world caring for you,” he whispered in her ear as they joined the other couple in silent slumber.


As the sun rose on the bluff, Buffy woke first. A tiny shaft of light pierced the makeshift door to the cave and had landed on Spike’s cheek. His alabaster skin hadn’t seen sun in hundreds of years in their time, but here, in this world, he could live in the sun like a normal human. Her thoughts found their way to raising this child with him. Here, he would be able to play with the child in the sun all day, but back home; he would be limited to night time strolls and playground trips. Would that be fair to the baby? Or Spike? As if the child had heard her thoughts, it swiftly kicked her in the kidney causing her to gasp and squeeze her eyes and mouth shut to stifle a loud ouch. When she opened her eyes, she saw Spike’s looking back at her and a smile stretching widely across his face. She felt his hand cover her own, draped across her swollen belly.

“Does our daughter disagree with your thoughts?” Spike smirked as he asked.

“How did you know?” Buffy was shocked by his statement, but it quickly disappeared as he leaned forward to kiss her lightly on the lips, then dropped down to her stomach.

Gently, he touched his lips to her belly, and said, “Don’t give your mother a hard time, baby girl. She means well, I promise.” He returned his eyes to his true love’s foreign face. “Let’s get you fed, so that we can make some decisions for our future.” Spike nodded his head in the direction of the other couple. “Looks as though we aren’t the only lovers sharing this cave flat.”

Buffy spun her head to find the two elders sleeping close together, content smiles on their faces. She turned her head quickly back to Spike and whispered, “Oh my God! I had no idea they felt that way for each other!”

Pulling her closer once more, “That’s because when you’re too busy tryin’ to solve everything on your own, you miss some of the most obvious signs around you. As a matter of fact, I was thinking we could actually find something else to do quietly while we wait for them to wake…” Spike said as he gave her that “come hither look” she had seen so many times before.

Buffy shot him a look he hadn’t seen before. “Why not? I’ll be quiet… at least try.” Smirking as he pulled her as tight against him as her pregnant physique would allow.

Unsure of exactly how to approach this subject, she proceeded cautiously. “First and foremost, I don’t look like me… you know, with Kaia’s bod and with the being all prego. And second, and very important, they could wake up at any time.

Nuzzling her neck, he quietly reassured her. “You are my love, and it’s a bonus that there’s a little more of you right now. My little cave slayer. And they are not only asleep, but isn’t sex in close quarters what they are used to? They would probably think it peculiar if we didn’t. Now, let’s get your little loin cloth off so I can remind you just how much I care.”

Surprised not only by his response, but her own to his roaming hands, she found herself quickly unfastening the ties of her clothing. She had missed him, and needed him now.

Spike helped her the best he could under the heavy furs, and soon they had managed to relieve themselves of their clothes and were eagerly exploring each other.

“I love you, Buffy,” he said huskily as his passion grew.

“I love you too, Spike,” she replied gasping. “Please don’t make me wait. I need to feel you inside of me.”

Spike rolled her onto her back, and found his place between her legs. Even though this was Buffy, it wasn’t her body and there were a few things that he wasn’t quite sure of how to proceed. “Buffy? Will I hurt the baby? Will I hurt you? I couldn’t bear hurting either of you.”

Buffy looked up at her lover, astonished at the level of concern on his face. “I know the baby won’t feel a thing, as long as you don’t smoosh me, and as far as hurting me in this body… there’s no way. She may seem younger than me, but remember this is a slayer’s body. Please, Spike…” Buffy wrapped her legs around him and pulled him closer.

I adore this woman. He did as she commanded and gently slid into her.

Their love making was slow, and gentle. They knew that they were made to love each other, and now magic had given them a family to raise together. The celebrated their love under the furs that fateful morning, unaware of the events they had just set into motion.




End Notes:
Please take the time to let me know what you think.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=34639