What I've Become by Jake
Summary: Set during Becoming, what would have happened if Buffy hadn't been able to defeat Angelus? What if the alliance between Spike and Buffy had been slightly different?
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Rape, Buffy/Other, Spike/Other, Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 6674 Read: 5830 Published: 06/12/2009 Updated: 10/06/2009

1. Becoming by Jake

2. One Weird Vampire by Jake

3. Home Run by Jake

4. Confessions of a teenage rapist by Jake

5. You brought me...homework? by Jake

Becoming by Jake
He could hear screams coming from within the mansion as he carefully made his way back in, expecting to see the dust that was Angelus littered on the floor already. Surely the slayer would have chopped his over-grown head clear off his lard ass but as Spike inched further into the house all he could hear were feminine screams. 120 years of torturous killing couldn’t have prepared him for the gruesome sight before him.

There was the slayer lying on the floor in a pool of blood…and there was Angelus pounding away inside her tight frame as she screamed in agony. Bite marks littered her normally bronzed flesh and Spike could see by the amount of blood pooling beneath her that it wasn’t the first time Angelus had violated her tonight.

Without thinking he lunged at the older vampire and threw him to the other side of the room as he searched for a weapon of any sort. He quickly found the slayer’s fallen sword amidst the debris and rubble on the floor as Angelus hit the statue of Acathla with a thud, blood trickling down his forehead and onto the cool stone beneath him. Standing between the fallen slayer and the grinning vampire he made the only choice he could as he watched Acathla open from where Angelus had touch the statue after being thrown.

He ran the Slayer’s sword through him before the larger man knew what had happened. His eyes flashed as he held his arms outstretch towards his Childe and love. As he was sucked into oblivion, he uttered one last word.

“Buffy”

***

“Buffy? Buffy pet, can you hear me?” Spike kneeled next to the bleeding girl and tried to assess her injuries through the mass of blood accumulating around her prone form.

“S-Spike? Kill me…please” Pain filled what seemed like every pore of her body as she struggled to breathe freely. She coughed up blood as she tried to sit up in Spike’s embracing arms. “J-just make it quick, I-I don’t think I can handle anymore pain. J-just do it.”

She bared her neck for him to end her suffering but he found himself at a crossroads. The petite fireball in his arms had branded him before, an unwelcome brand in the face of an apocalypse, but a brand nevertheless. He’d never thought of another human as anything but a food source after he’d been turned until she’d come into his life all bubblegum and roses and mucked everything up.

“C’mon luv, we’re gonna get you all patched up ‘n feeling better than ever. Jus’ gotta get you to a hospital and get a look at what’s going on.” He stood, careful not to disturb the delicate package in his arms as he avoided sniffing around her. Too much blood had already been spilt and he could feel his demon itching beneath the surface to take more.

“S-Spike it’s no use…just kill me already. I-I don’t want to live anymore, not after…” Her head lulled against his shoulder as he quickened his pace to the Sunnydale emergency room.

Walking through the automatic doors to the emergency room he clutched her shaking form tighter to his chest as the nurse took in their bloodied appearances.

“Need some help here, girl’s been hurt real bad.” He nearly vamped out when the nurse reached out to touch his precious cargo before motioning to a nearby gurney.

“I’m sorry sir but we need to take her back and evaluate her. Please wait in the lobby until someone comes out to get you. Are you family?” The gray-haired nurse reminded him vaguely of his mother as he tried to form words.

“’M her boyfriend. Found her like that when I came back to get ‘er. We had a fight ‘n I left.” Spike ducked his head so the kind-hearted nurse wouldn’t see the tears springing in his eyes.

“Alright, we’re going to take good care of her. You just wait here and let me know if I can get you anything. Can you write down the number of where I can reach her parents?” She handed the young man a pen and piece of paper as he watched the girl being wheeled away.

His voice caught in his throat so he settled for writing the Summers’ number down on the sheet of paper the nurse had kindly provided. He had barely finished when she whisked off to call the Slayer’s mother.

He sat huddled in the chair for what seemed like hours before he felt a hand on his shoulder. He gazed up only to be met with the teary eyes of Joyce Summers as she reached out to him for a hug.

“Please tell me what happened to my daughter? Please, tell me she isn’t…” Joyce couldn’t keep her voice even as she broke down into sobs in the vampire’s arms.

“Slayer’s not dead Joyce but Angelus…he, uh, did work her over pretty well. Don’t know how much damage he actually did but…Chris’ there was a lot of blood.” He recoiled as he remembered the woman clinging to him was the girl’s mother and didn’t need to be reminded of the pain her daughter was in.

Four hours later

Joyce sat with her head resting on the Watcher’s chest as the rest of the Scooby gang congregated around the small waiting room of the I.C.U as they waited. Spike, on the other hand, paced back and forth in front of the windows. The nurse from before had been kind enough to shut the blinds without question when Joyce requested them closed and for once, Spike was grateful to the elder Summers woman.

“Are you waiting for Buffy Summers?” The doctor came out wearing blue scrubs as he pushed back his wet hair from his very recent shower to scrub the young girl’s blood from his skin.

Joyce sat up and walked towards him, extending her hand towards the elderly doctor. “Joyce Summers, I’m her mother. How’s my little girl?” She shook with the exertion to stand as she waited for the prognosis.

“Please follow me to my office, I’d like to discuss this with you in private if you wouldn’t mind.”

Joyce followed almost blindly after him as she dragged Spike behind her towards the doctor’s office. They both sat numbly across from him as they waited for him to speak.

“I don’t know how much you know but I’m sorry to tell you this but…”

“Is she dead?” Spike’s shaky voice surprised even himself as he choked out the words.

“No, we were able to keep her steady but she is still in critical condition. I’m sorry to tell you this but it appears as though she was raped, repeatedly and with considerate force. We’ve managed to assess the damage and feel confident that she should recover enough to lead a perfectly normal life. However, I’m sorry to tell you this but she still hasn’t woken from the anesthesia.”

“C-can we see her now?” Joyce bowed her head into Spike’s shoulder as his arm wrapped around her shoulders to comfort the poor woman.

“Right this way” He left them in front of a private room amidst the beeping and other noises coming from within.

Spike stood at the door just watching the petite fireball lay on the bed looking deader than himself. Her eyes were closed and her head lulled to the side. He could see the various wires and I.V attached to her tiny body as she slept and he wanted nothing more than to take away her pain.

Joyce sat next to her bruised and torn daughter as she stroked the back of a small pale hand that protruded from underneath the various blankets keeping the girl warm in the sterile room.

“I’m sorry baby, so sorry. What I said before was unforgivable and now this…please tell me you can forgive me someday for doing this to you baby…” Her pleas were met with dead silence. Buffy didn’t even blink at her mother’s pleading voice as the pale eyelids opened and focused on the bleached blonde standing in the doorway.

I.C.U waiting room

“Why did Spike get to go in and why is he even here in the first place? Hello! Killer vampire on the loose, in the slayer’s room while she’s out cold! Can we say free lunch?” Xander’s face turned red with repressed anger at the master vampire.

“Xander do shut up! Buffy and I spoke of this before she left. She’s claimed him, he won’t be able to hurt her now.” Giles cleaned his glasses as his brow furrowed at the young man sitting opposite him.

“Y-you what? You let your slayer claim a vampire! Why?”

“Because it was what had to be done. The claim was never reciprocated so she holds the controlling power in the relationship. Spike is nothing more than a tool against Angelus and Drusilla. They were to slip into the mansion unnoticed and take them both out separately. Spike would be granted his freedom for protecting Buffy and seeing that Drusilla was moved out of the country. As for now Spike is still in Buffy’s control until her death. If she were to die, he is under authority to stake himself.”

“Oh so if Buffy dies then Spike has to bite the dust? No wonder he’s so willing to keep her alive.” Xander looked thoughtfully, ignoring the glares coming from the redhead at his side.
One Weird Vampire by Jake
Author's Notes:
Sorry this took so long to post. I could have sworn that I had already posted this but looking back obviously I didn't.
Three days later…

Spike sat nervously tapping his foot as he contemplated how many stakes were currently in the room to end his rather pitiful existence. Since Buffy had been admitted to the hospital he hadn’t left her side except when the doctors and nurses booted him out to assess her condition. Awake now, the slayer had yet to say anything to any of them, only brief forced smiles to her mother and the occasional glare to the whelp. Still with a total of twelve stakes and a couple of wooden chairs that could be put to use, Spike was feeling the tension and every instinct told him to either vamp out and take care of the problem or run. It was only when he felt a warm hand on his otherwise cold arm that he was broken from his internal debate with his demon.

“Is there anything I can get you?” The nurse gave him a shy smile as she quirked an eyebrow in his direction. She was devastatingly gorgeous and just his type with the dark exotic looks and mystery that surrounded her but he politely shook his head and turned his attention back to pale figure glaring at him from the bed.

“Well, Buffy, I’m your nurse for the night. My name is Alex so if you have any questions or need anything feel free to call the nurse’s station and I’ll be right down…and I didn’t catch your name sir.” Alex looked pointedly at the finger-tapping vampire.

“’M name’s Spike or William, if you like and uh, she’s my, uh, girlfriend.” He tried not to wince at the title of girlfriend in regards to the deadly slayer but in a way it was better than saying ‘owner’ as was the right of the claim.

“Alright William…Buffy feel free to call down if you need anything at all but otherwise I’ll be back in about an hour to check up on you.” Spike couldn’t help watching her ass sway as she walked back to the hallway, shutting the door behind her and leaving him in a confined space with the slayer.

“You know, I could have just moved into a chair if you really wanted to fuck her that bad. What is it with guys that they want to screw everything in sight and it’s even worse with vampires…don’t even tell me you didn’t want to.” She huffed and laid back against the bed as she struggled to stay in the bed like a good little patient. Her enhanced slayer healing had kicked in and she was healed for the most part, minus the emotional healing and the fact that Angelus had managed to break both of her legs, which were still bound in plaster casts even though she was convinced that they had mostly healed.

“No like that pet. Don’t want to ‘screw everything in sight’ as you said. Not that kind of vamp. I’ll have you know that I was faithful to Dru the entire time we were together, wasn’t even tempted ‘til you came along…let’s jus’ forget I said that last part, yeah?” He ducked his head in an uncharacteristically shy manner at his admission.

“Y-you were attracted to me?” Her dull eyes perked up and he was surprised to see some of that old fire back in the emerald orbs.

“Still am kitten. ‘s part of the reason Dru jumped at the chance to be back with her ‘Daddy’…never really loved me it turns out. Why did you think I was so willin’ to ‘elp you out?” He cocked his head to the side as he took in her slightly better mood. The fact that she was willing to talk, even if it was a harsh croaking tone was better than dead silence except for the occasional glare. “Anyway, ‘s not like anything can ever come from it. You’re the slayer and I’m, well, I’m technically your pet or something to the like…indentured servant maybe?”

“No. You aren’t my slave or anything like that…it was purely a business deal and besides, what did you expect me to do? Just a couple of days ago you wanted to kill me. How was I supposed to trust that you wouldn’t hand me over to Angelus?”

“Angel was bloody poof ‘n I never liked him anyway. Wouldn’t hand you over to the crazy fuck when I could have killed you myself.”

“Angelus did this to me, not Angel.” She bit her lip nervously at his enraged expression.

“Angelus ‘n Angel are the same bloody thing, you bloody twit. ‘s not like I change my name whenever I’m ‘elping out the white hats ‘n when I’m rippin’ out the throat of some bystander. Soul or not, Angel is a fucked up bastard, was before ‘e was turned but ‘m guessin’ in between your snoggin’ matches you never asked ‘im who ‘e really was, did you?”

“A-Angel loved me…”

“Angelus was in love with ‘imself luv. Don’t kid yourself that ‘e was ever in it for anything but the sex…’e was a low-life cad before ‘e was turned and a bigger cad after. Ever wonder how Darla drew his attention in the firs’ place? Sex! ‘e followed her to his death and fucked up un-life with the promise of sex. Darla was a bleeding prostitute for Chris’ sakes! Nothing more to see her for.” He tapped his foot harder against the sterile white tile that lined the room from wall-to-wall as he tried to explain the intrigue that was Angelus.

“You’re wrong Spike, Angel loved me. He told me he loved me and you’re just…you’re just jealous!” She pounded her little fists on the bed as she clung to the hope that Angel had truly loved her and she didn’t give up her virginity to a two-faced liar with an affinity for hookers.

“Right ‘n I’m the bloody Queen of merry ol’ England pet. Face it, Angelus was a sick bastard that conned you into releasing his fucked up nature and you fell for it. Can’t say I blame you, he did have a handle of the puppy dog eyes and ‘woe is me’ attitude. But now maybe you’ll have better luck picking out men that aren’t homicidal maniacs.”

“What? Like you?” She guffawed at his righteous indignation before silently admitting to herself that Angel was a manipulative bastard and that in all the time he’d been cursed had to have known what the clause was to his happiness.

“’m jus’ saying pet. I’ve been sittin’ in this room and out with the other happy meals ‘n I haven’t tried to take a lick from them. I can control my demon. So what’s the plan of action?”

“I haven’t decided but first thing’s first, I want out of this creepy hospital. Didn’t like it the first time I was here and I like it a lot less now…” Buffy grumbled as she struggled to adjust the pillows behind her back.

Spike was up in an instant to adjust them for her but stopped at her quirked eyebrow.

“Wha’?”

“You do realize that you’re fluffing the Slayer’s pillow, don’t you? You have got to be the lamest vamp ever.” She squealed when he held the pillow just out of her reach and smirked.

“ ‘s not like I have anything better to do ‘n I already told you, I happen to like this slayer.” He bent down to give her a soft peck on the lips before straightening. “She’s got a great…hullo Alex.” He turned to face the wide-eyed nurse that had conveniently caught the end of their discussion.

“Y-you kissed me…why?”

“’Cause that’s what blokes do for their girls.” He shook his head between the two women. “Come to see how my girl’s doin’?”
End Notes:
Any type of feedback would be great
Home Run by Jake
Author's Notes:
This will deal with the aftermath of rape so please be warned that it is a sensitive subject to many and will be dealt with accordingly in this fic.
“Actually, if I was interrupting I can come back later.” Alex paused in the doorway as the blonde’s glanced back and forth between each other. Blue met hazel as they tried to convey their feelings about the situation between each other, both realizing quickly that telepathy was not part of the claiming deal. Heightened awareness and a boding sense of duty rang true as they both tried to communicate non-verbally and failing.

Buffy finally realized he wasn’t going to answer for her so she shrugged and motioned the nurse into the room. “Spike doesn’t have to leave, does he?” Her voice was abnormally quiet as she recalled the softness of the vampire’s lips against her own and the soft rumble of his words after. It was odd how her mortal enemy had managed to calm her in seconds flat when all her friends had managed was to annoy her to the point that she was almost glad that her legs were bound in the heavy casts so she couldn’t attack them.

The dark beauty paused from her work and took in the pale girl’s frown. She supposed it wouldn’t hurt to let him stay for the routine exam and it might even keep the girl from fighting too much as was noted on her file. “That’s fine with me but the other nurses might have a problem with it later but for today that’ll be fine.”

Spike’s hand inched across the thin hospital issue blanket towards the tiny slayer’s hand, intertwining their fingers together when he finally reached it, mindful of the I.V. “Easy pet.” He watched as her face scrunched up as the nurse began her necessary prodding.

Tears laced her eyes as the nurse went to change out her urinary catheter. The humiliation of the slayer, able to kill creatures of the night with little effort and take down demons four times her size, bound to a bed and peeing into a tube was suddenly too much for the girl and her tears came forcefully from her eyes.

“Easy there luv. No tears, no tears kitten.” He stroked her cheek softly as he silently urged the nurse to continue before the slayer had time to break down completely, forcing sedation. “No use cryin’ there pet. ‘s not that bad, still the slayer…still my girl, aren’t you? Tha’s right, still my girl.”

Her sobs fell silent in the quiet room as she focused on his roughened hand stroking her soft cheek and his hand tracing circles on her palm. His voice soothed her as he spoke reassuring nonsense but she was able to pick out the phrases ‘my girl’ and for once in the past couple of days not fight back tears.

Alex finished quietly and with one last look at the couple, she slipped out of the room ,closing the door to give them some privacy. With a glance at the nurses station she motioned that they were not to be disturbed unless it was absolutely dire.

“S-spike?” Her hazel eyes blurred from the crying as she tried to focus on his handsome features, notably his blazing blue eyes.

“Yeah luv?”

“A-Angel raped me. It was Angel that did this to me, not some other thing but Angel who did this to me. He raped me, broke my legs, bit me, broke my ribs and then raped me until I wanted nothing more than to die. I-I hate him. Does that make me a bad person for not caring that he’s in hell?”

“God no pet! ’s not wrong to hate the bastard for what he did. Truth be told, I hate him for what he did to you. Rapin’ a woman was never right in my book, never will be. Deserves death…deserves worse than death ’n I’m believing that Angelus is finally payin’ retribution for his crimes now. ’s alright to hate him pet, ’s alright. You did nothing wrong…sent that bastard to hell where he belongs. Wish I could kill him all over again for you.” He laid his head on the bed next to their hands as he urged his tears back from his eyes. Some vampire you are mate. Getting all gushy over the slayer. Still would like to kick Angelus in the soddin’ balls though. ‘e hurt the girl, my girl.

Summers’ Residence, 1630 Revello Drive
Joyce sat at the kitchen table mindlessly stirring a mug of hot chocolate as she waited for Buffy’s friends to make their way over to the house for a brief meeting. It was high time to set the teens straight on the matter of Spike and his affiliation with her family. Truth be told, she liked the peroxide vampire. He was less of a mindless killing machine than Xander and Willow gave him credit for. What type of killer would sit with his mortal enemy’s mother talking over a hot cup of cocoa? Besides the fact that he was bound to her daughter now and she would be damned sure that no harm came to either one of them…again. The words from the argument with her daughter still brought tears to her eyes as she remembered her callous words, spit out in a moment of ignorance.

The door thud against the wall as the teens were escorted in by her daughter’s librarian…watcher…her daughter, the vampire slayer‘s, watcher. They stood anxiously in the foyer as Joyce stepped out of the kitchen, her face impassive as she face the judgmental lot.

Giving a quick smile to the older Englishman, she began. “I have some ground rules before you will be added to Buffy’s list of acceptable visitors. The first being that no one is to insult or attack Spike in any way, shape or form. Don’t even think about interrupting me, Xander.” She paused momentarily to glare at the young boy. “Spike is now and will forever be welcomed into our home, barring murder, and anyone that seeks fit to attack him with be revoked without a second thought. Do I make myself clear on this point?”

Willow nodded eagerly. It was simple enough. Don’t attack the vampire, get to visit best friend.

It was a bit more to convince Xander as Giles nudged the boy in the back, glaring when he had the audacity to scowl at the older man until he finally mumbled his consent to rule one.

“The second rule is that no one will mention Angelus in this home again unless Buffy feels ready to bring it up. What that beast did to her is inexcusable and I will not have her further traumatized.”

“B-but it wasn’t Angel that did it, it was Angelus…”

“They are one in the same. Willow. I was mistaken to have thought different and I’ve seen the error of my ways. Rest assured that the vampire will be held in the utmost regard of disgust. He was perverted from the beginning about his so-called destiny. I do believe that the fact that Spike was able to show a great deal more respect to the slayer, even when trying to end her life, shows that with the claim in place he is controllable, unlike Angelus. I have no qualms with your rules Joyce and expect that these two will also abide by them if they‘d like to avoid the consequences.” Giles lowered his head guiltily for a moment before meeting Joyce’s kind eyes.

“I believe that’s settled so how about a ride over to the florist and then to the hospital?” Joyce grinned at the teens, noting that Xander still wore a scowl across his face while Willow beamed at her.
Confessions of a teenage rapist by Jake
Author's Notes:
This chapter does deal with some of the aftermath of 'The Pack'. I felt it needed to be dealt with and since the show didn't, I stepped in.
Joyce was almost completely hidden by the mound of flowers she held in her hands as Giles stepped forward to rap two consecutive knocks on the heavy hospital room door. While Willow stood next to Joyce with her own, albeit smaller, set of flowers, Xander hung back from the group still brooding over the fact that a monstrous vampire was allowed in Buffy’s room alone with her.

The door inched open and one blue eye could be seen before it was opened the rest of the way to reveal the leather- clad vampire. He quietly ushered Joyce and Giles into the room before glaring at the teens.

“They don’t come in.” He stated plainly as he pointed at the redhead and brunette boy. He paused another moment before tugging Willow inside. “ I like Red. The whelp doesn’t come near the slayer. ‘eard what ‘e tried to do to ‘er and frankly ‘e’s bloody well lucky I don’t rip out ‘is throat.” He glared one last time before shutting the door, turning and smiling at the ‘approved’ Scooby’s.

“Spike, Xander knows the rules and he’s agreed to them. Let him back in William.” Joyce turned on her patented ‘mom’ glare at the sulking vampire.

“But ‘e tried to rape ‘er! Not gonna let that boy within twenty feet ‘f my girl.” He knew it was un-manly for a master vampire to whine but certain circumstances called for it and he would be damn sure the whelp never close to his girl again. The confidences Buffy had placed on him earlier still weighed as he’d taken account of everything the young girl had gone through in her short life and he’d vowed to make it that much easier as long as she would have him around, claim or no claim.

“He what?” Joyce paused after she’d placed the flowers on a nearby table and glanced between her daughter and Giles. “Did you know about this?” Her face a mixture of shock and dread as she took account of yet another event she had never been informed of, especially one of that magnitude.

Giles shuffled for a moment before taking his glasses off and cleaning them. “There was a spell, possession really, involved and Xander assures me that he doesn’t remember anything that happened. I wasn’t aware that there were still ill feelings from Buffy’s perspective.”

“Spike, just let Xander in. He’s just going to freak out more if you don’t.” She cringed as she heard the loud protests coming from her friend outside of the door. “I can handle myself around him.” Buffy shifted slightly on the bed as she motioned for the rest to take seats, carefully saving the one closest to her for Spike.

“Buffy, if he tried to…“ Joyce paused to clear her throat and her mind but all she could think of was wringing Xander’s throat. After all the times she’d invited him into her house, fed him and kept him safe this was how he repaid her for her generosity. “If he tried to… Buffy, you don’t have to let him in. I don’t care if he was under the Pope’s instructions, he never should have done or tried to do that.” Joyce slipped her hand over her daughter’s and silently vowed to have a long talk with the brunette boy when they left. “We could…we could press charges against him, make it right again.”

“No. Just don’t. I can’t deal with that right now on top of everything besides it was awhile ago and I don’t know for sure that he even remembers. Spike, just let him in, ok? No vamping either.” She nodded again at the reluctant vamp.

He took an unneeded breath before swinging the door open to reveal a very red-faced Xander.

“Buffy, did you see what he did? You have to stake him already. He’s a murderer, a cold-blooded murder…”

“As opposed to an attempted rapist?” Joyce turned her gaze on the blinking boy as she spat the words out in disgust. “Spike may not have a soul but you do and I have to say you have some nerve showing up around my daughter after what you tried to do. And you’re damn well lucky that she doesn’t want to press charges against you.” She shook her head at the boy. “I thought you were better than that Xander.”

“W-what are you talking about?” Xander’s faced flushed as his eyes darted around the room, unwilling to make eye contact with the people inside.

“They’re talking about the day you decided to add attempt rape to your credit.” Buffy scowled from across the room as Willow took her other hand and Spike wiggled his way onto the bed next to her, forgoing the chair.

“B-but I was under hyena influence…I-I don’t remember what happened.” Xander continued to blink innocent with his big brown puppy dog eyes as he shifted in place. “Tell them Giles, tell them that I don’t remember what happened with Buffy.”

“Xander, as I told you before I have never heard of a possession erasing memories and I’m even less inclined to believe it now. I will say in your defense that you were acting on primal instincts which were conflicting already with raging teen hormones but that does not excuse your behavior. You should be thankful Buffy had the skill and strength to thwart your attack.” Giles shook his head before taking an empty seat next to Joyce as he continued to stare at the boy.

“B-but Buffy, remember I’m your bestest best friend…I would never try to do that if I were in my right mind…you have to believe me.” He visibly shook under their gaze as his eyes darted around the room, fists balling as he locked eyes with the reason he was explaining himself out of this problem. The blonde vampire only glanced at him with undisguised disgust before wrapping his arm around Buffy’s shoulders and kissing her head.

“I do believe you Xander,” He breathed a sigh of relief before she continued, “But I can’t be around you right now. Not with what just happened. It brought up a lot of old feelings. You could have come to me Xander and told me that you remembered what had happened…I would have forgiven you but right now, I need time. I still love you Xander, not in the way that you always wanted but as a friend and I’m hoping that after this we can still be friends. Can we do that?” Tears slid from her hazel eyes as she took in her friend’s shaking form.

His shoulders stooped as he hung his head in shame and disgust. His eyes flashed once they were low enough for the others not to notice. “Y-yeah we can do that. I-I’ll just go now but we can talk later?”

“We can do that.” Buffy took one last momentary look as Xander exited the room with his head low. “So prezzies?” She blinked back tears as Spike hid his face in her hair, chuckling.
You brought me...homework? by Jake
“Yeah, luv, lots of presents for you.” Spike clutched her loosely about the shoulders, careful to not jar her still-fragile body as he motioned towards Joyce to let the slayer have her gifts before she decided to take matters into her own hands. He chuckled softly as the blonde held out her hands anxiously for her get well gifts. Leave it to the slayer to find the good in being stuck in a hospital room.

Stuffed animals and flowers were passed in front of the slayer one by one until there were none left and they were spread around the room, brightening the drab walls and sterile tile. Teddy bears of all shapes and sizes littered the window sill and flowers accompanied them covering every open space available around the private room.

Joyce studied the bleached blonde vampire for a couple of moments. His tough exterior was considerably deterred by the presence of a green teddy bear carrying a small bouquet of flowers he was showing her daughter. The grin on his face showed off his boyish charms quite well and the fact that his arm had yet to leave her shoulder made him look more like Buffy’s boyfriend rather than mortal enemy. Joyce made a mental note to discuss the claim with Mr. Giles at a later date. She contented herself with watching the handsome vamp and her daughter chat animatedly amongst the rest of the group.

“Willow, you seriously didn’t have to bring me…homework?” Buffy turned the textbook over in her hands, glancing over to Spike in question.

Willow grinned, “I talked to all of your teachers and they said you can take as much time as you need…well, as long as it’s turned in by next week. Oh and Mr. Sullivan said that he hopes you feel better soon, although it took him awhile to remember who you are. Guess you don’t go to history that much, huh?”

Joyce broke from her reverie, “You haven’t been going to classes?” She glanced hard at her squirming daughter. She almost laughed at the sight of the petite girl pleading with the vampire to cover for her.

“Don’t be too hard on ‘er, Joyce. She was savin’ the world from Big Bad’s, like me.” He had the audacity to look proud of himself, which only earned him a jab to the ribs from the blonde and a glare from her mother.

Buffy still managed to look guilty, even with her watcher backing the vampire’s excuse. “I maybe, sort of skipped a couple of other classes…I just got bored and…”

“No excuses. You will finish the homework Willow brought you and then I expect you to attend all of your classes in the fall. Do we have an agreement?” Joyce lowered her voice as the doctor stepped into the room.

Buffy shrugged, “Do I have a choice?”

“I’ll help the slayer with ‘er homework.” Spike paused noting the shocked expression of the other occupants in the room, including the doctor.

“I’m glad to see the little patient is up and at ‘em, at least as much as can be expected.” Dr. Stevenson entered the room slowly, carefully noting the major players in his patient’s recovery. The older man he assumed to be the girl’s father sat next to her mother while the young man on the bed eyed him warily. Taking in the blonde man, Dr. Stevenson assumed the boy would be his greatest ally in keeping the girl safe. Several nurses had told him that the blonde hadn’t left since the girl had been admitted and judging by his protectiveness, he wasn’t going to anytime soon. “Buffy, I’m very glad to see you wide awake and keeping your young man in line.”

“He’s not my…” Buffy paused, thinking better of arguing with the nice doctor who had the authority to let her leave. “When can I go home?”

“You’ve recovered remarkably fast and I see no reason why you couldn’t continue to heal at home but I would like you to speak with a therapist before you leave.” Buffy moved to protest but he quickly cut her off. “It’s standard practice and frankly, I’m requiring it after what you went through. I trust that the young man is willing to keep a close eye on her, as well as the rest of you.” He glanced around the room at the nodding people, noting the bleach blonde had yet to glance up at him again instead contenting himself with running his fingers through the patient’s hair. “I’ll make the appointment for the end of the week.” The doctor glanced around once more before excusing himself out of the room.

Buffy turned to address Giles, “I could probably start patrolling again next week…”

“Like hell you will!” Spike growled, “You’ve been through a major surgery and your legs are still broken, you bloody loon! I’ll patrol for the slayer.”

Giles pulled his glasses off to clean them as he remarked, “A vampire willingly offering his services to kill his own kind…and for the slayer no less. This is simply remarkable. I do wonder if there is any precedence in the Watcher’s Diaries.”

“Great, now Giles has gone all book guy again and I can so patrol by next week. Mom! Tell Spike I can patrol if I want to!” Buffy pouted in her mother’s direction.

Joyce frowned, “I’m with William on this one. You shouldn’t be out there until you’ve completely healed and maybe with William willing to patrol you could take a longer break from slaying.”

Buffy just stared at her mother, “Why do you keep calling him ‘William’?”

“’S my name, Slayer.”

“Well, I know that but it’s…weird. You’re Spike…and I had a point to that whole thing but…” Buffy trailed off not knowing how to complete her train of thought.

Spike smirked, “Doesn’t matter what you call me slayer, all that matters is that I’ll be patrolling while you stay home all snug ‘n safe in your girly bed. Don’t want anymore big bad’s thinking they can take a bite out ‘f you.”

“Why are you doing this?” Buffy eyed him warily.

“’ve got a stake in your survival, don’t I?” He quickly rephrased his answer when her face fell. “’m rather fond ‘f you slayer ‘n I’d rather not see you dead.”

“Oh.”
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=34887