Catch 22 by lindsay
Summary: Spike Calendar has just returned home to the little rural town of Sunnydale. There for his grieving mother and old friends, old memories come back to the surface. Buffy Summers is no longer the sad 13 year old with the misguided crush anymore and he finds himself enamored with the strong self efficient woman she's become. Maybe he had it wrong, maybe returning to Sunnydale wasn't putting his life on hold, maybe it was piecing it together.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Adult Language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 11660 Read: 11260 Published: 06/17/2009 Updated: 08/21/2010

1. 1 by lindsay

2. 2 by lindsay

3. 3 by lindsay

4. 4 by lindsay

5. Coyote Ugly by lindsay

6. Chapter 6 by lindsay

7. Chapter 7 by lindsay

8. Chapter 8 by lindsay

1 by lindsay
Author's Notes:
i dont know whats going on with this fic, i posted it the first time and people were saying that it was centered but that's not how i'm reading it on my comp, thanks Jake and Amelia for telling me though, then i went to try and fix it it and saw that my entire text acted as a hyperlink to the banner..
Spike ran his hand through his hair and sighed, his flight delayed and his patience gone. This wasn’t where he was supposed to be at 24, he was supposed to be in England, teaching English literature at a university with his degree, a degree that was going to be put to no use for the next year or so because the man who had "replaced" his father but was in no way a father had passed away; had passed away and left him with a mess to clean up in the form of a ranch. The only reason he was going to Sunnydale was because he wasn’t a cruel man by nature and his mother needed him right now, needed his presence and his help since she had broken her leg in the accident that had killed the scum bag driving.

His lip curved up a little bit, it wouldn’t hurt to see Slayer, his all white prize winning Lipizzaner either, how he had missed her these last few years. But he couldn’t take a horse to the city, and he couldn’t stay with that asshole Ethan either. His leaving had only brought good things though, a Harvard degree was no laughing matter and he had met Druscilla…ok, so maybe that hadn’t been a good thing, but he’d lost his virginity so she got a big thumbs up for that, and he hadn’t contracted an std from the vapid she-whore.
He wondered if Fred was still living in the area, and Cordelia and Willow and Xander and Gunn…he winced, he hadn’t called them in ages, the chits’ would be pissed, a few beers and he and the guys would be on the mend no doubt.

He’d left 4 years ago at 20 after finishing college in the small rural town, and he was coming back a man, a part of him wished Ethan was around to see the transformation, if only so he could kick his ass. Another part was relieved that his mom would no longer be blinded by the love she’d somehow felt for that wad of shit.

He snapped out of his reverie and got up with the now standing passengers, their flight finally ready to board and heaved a sigh.




Jenny was bustling around the kitchen, William was due home any moment and she couldn’t contain her excitement. The kettle whistled just as the front door slammed open and closed.

“’Lo?”

“In the kitchen sweetheart” Jenny called, her smile, if possible widening. He walked in and picked her up in a bear hug, mindful of her leg, and gave her a kiss on the forehead before setting her down.
“You look wonderful mum.”

Jenny laughed, “Must be the air out here, keeps me young.”

Spike bit his tongue, not wanting to insult the dead but knowing that the color in her cheeks came from not being tied down to a miserable sod.

“Bollocks mum, it’s all you” he said with a smile and she giggled.

Growing up he and his mother had been close, he would read her his poetry and she would delight him with compliments and cocoa, going on about how lucky some young woman would be when he finally found the one. And of course he would smile and eat it up, a sappy ponce through and through. His father had passed before she’d even given birth to William, but he knew that he was named after him and that he had been a good man. Sometimes when his mother was up for it, she would regale him with tales of his father’s grandiose adventures and he would drink it all in, creating in his mind a world that his father lived in but when Jenny met Ethan everything changed, she changed…and he didn’t know how to forgive her for choosing a monster to share her life.

At first Jenny had just ignored her son’s distaste for the older man in the house, thinking it nothing more than insecurity but as the time slowly passed she realized her son’s animosity towards the man she’d fallen in love with had nothing to do with the immaturity that comes with adolescence. William hated Ethan with every fiber of his being. She’d tried to get her son to open up about it but he’d always remained tight lipped about the situation. If he’d even once told her one of the things Ethan had said, or done, the man would have been out on his ass in two shakes of a tail, but William never talked though she never ceased asking.

She looked at her son pouring the cocoa, going through the cupboards as if he’d never been gone and she smiled to herself, her baby was home.

He placed the two mugs on the table and sat across from her. “So, how you holding up?” he asked with genuine concern.

She shrugged her tiny shoulders, “I’ve been better, but it’s good to have you here. You’ve made an old lady very happy.”

Spike snorted, “You only just turned 40 mum, not old by a long shot.”

“I did didn’t I?” she laughed, “Maybe it’s the loss that makes me feel older…”

In a heart beat he was out of his chair with his arms wrapped around her, “It’ll get better mum, I promise, it’ll get better.” he said soothingly into her hair and she pulled away to get a good look at him.

“I know…now, what the hell were you thinking doing that to your hair?” she asked with a laugh and he shook his head with a grin.

“I was thinking Billy Idol had the right idea.”

“I took the liberty of contacting your old friends, they’ll be here at 7 to pick you up.”

He smiled wide at her, “Thanks, I can’t wait to see everyone again” Spike said honestly.

“You mind if I run out to say hi to Slayer?”

She nodded her head and made a shooing motion with her hands, her eyes twinkling at her son’s excitement.

He all but ran to the corral and whistled loudly. The horses’ ears twitched at the sound and she galloped full speed to the fence, Spike laughing at the show she was putting on, bouncing from one hoof to the next, head held high before she bowed for him.

“Git’ over here you silly bint” he chastised lovingly and in the next moment he had a face full of muzzle which he lovingly patted.

“Good to see you girl, s’been too long.”

“I bet you say that to all the pretty horses” came the sing song voice. His head turned to the right as the girl stepped out of the barn.

“Maybe I do” he laughed and stuck out his hand which she shook with a smile, though he could barely see her for the cowboy hat she wore. “Spike Calendar.”

“I’m Buffy, Buffy Summers.” She tipped her hat back to get a better look at him and smiled when he seemed speechless.

“You…you’re…”

“All grown up? Ya, I hear time does that to people.”

“I didn’t even recognize you Buffy, Christ but you’re a vision.”

She laughed, William “Spike” Calendar, who had never really noticed her, was complimenting her.

“Well, I’m not fat anymore, I grew out my hair and my boobs and got a bit older, but that’s about it.”
He laughed, “So that sums it all up huh? Somehow I doubt that.”

“Well, you really wouldn’t know anyway, would you William?”

He winced, “I never meant to hurt you Buffy.”

She shrugged her now mature shoulders and smiled, “Wasn’t your fault, I was a 13 year old with a crush on a senior, you had no choice.”

Spike did a quick mental calculation, she would be 20 now. He ran a hand through his hair and smiled at an old memory, “Never forgot that kiss tho’ kitten.”

“Well, Spike Calendar, neither did I.” she said with a wink before sashaying to her car and driving away.


***

Spike had just finished mowing the Summer’s lawn when Buffy had brought him a glass of lemonade, he remembered thinking it clichéd but sweet and had thanked her with a million dollar smile. He was aware that she had scooted closer while he drank it on the porch steps and inwardly smiled, she was after all, just a kid with a crush.

“You ever kissed a girl Spike?”

He smiled and nodded his head, “With your tongue?”
At that he had spit out his drink and sprayed the steps with the sticky substance.
“What kind of bloody question is that for a bloody kid to be asking?”
“I’m not a kid” she had pouted and he sighed.
“Look Buffy, you know I think you’re a sweet girl yeah?” she nodded her head, “But that doesn’t make me sweet ON you…you understand what I’m saying?”
“No.”
“You and you’re parents came here from England right?”
He nodded, “Well in England isn’t it ok to date younger girls?”
He laughed at that, “Well yeah sugar, but only once that younger girl is a certain age…know what I mean?”
She furrowed her brow and frowned, “If you like somebody why should age matter?”
“It makes a difference is all, like, would you date an 8 year old?”
“No” she spat out and then the tiniest “oh” came out of her mouth and she looked at him with watery eyes. “I’ll see you later Spike” she said and ran back inside, leaving her drink untouched next to him.
He stood up and sighed, he had the feeling that this wouldn’t be the last time sweet little Buffy Summers would make things awkward.

***

“William?” Jenny called from the porch.
“Coming mum” Spike called back, shaking the memories off with a smile.


Later in the shower he allowed himself to finish reminiscing over the memories that had started to play out that afternoon.

***

It was well past midnight when he’d gotten out of bed, unable to sleep, he’d thrown on a pair of shorts and nothing else and pedaled to the swim hole near the Summers place. He heard the soft sounds of someone crying and was torn between leaving unnoticed or asking the girl, it was a girl of that he was sure, if she was ok. Chivalry won.

“Hey, you ok?” he called out tentatively.
“Go away” came the angry reply and recognition hit him.
“Buffy, that you?”
“I said go away stupid face”
Ya, that was Buffy. He walked over and sat down next to her, “What’s wrong ducks?” he asked gently, rubbing her back a little to try and stop the sobs.
“Mom and Dad got into a fight and I told daddy to leave and he got mad and….”
“Shhh now, take your time.”
“I’m done talking, I came here to swim, that’s what I’m going to do.”
Spike bit back a smile at her authoritative tone, “I came to come swimming too, can I join you?”
She didn’t look at him, chin length hair hiding her face but he could feel her scowl.
“Do whatever you want, but if you get a cramp and drown I’m not helping you.”
“Alright, I’m swimming at my own risk, got it!” he said with a smile.
She jumped right in, shorts and shirt and he did the same, laughing at their antics.
It was when she emerged from the water that had pushed the hair back from her face that he saw the bruise and his heart snapped.
“Did your dad do that?” he asked gently, she bit her lip and nodded her head, the black circling her eye all he could see, that and the pain in the green depths of it.
“FUCK” he roared and got out of the water, punching the tree next to him and splitting his knuckles wide open. When he came down from his rage he noticed Buffy was gone and sat down, thinking about all the ways he was going to murder Hank fucken’ Summers.
About ten minutes later he heard her coming back and turned his head toward her, “Didn’t mean to scare you, m’ sorry I yelled.”
She didn’t say a word but sat down in front of him and pulled a first aid kit out of her bag.
“You didn’t scare me, you could never scare me” she said with a small smile and in that moment Spike wished with everything he was that she could be older.
He realized with a start that she had taken his hand into her lap and began to clean it before softly wrapping it in gauze.
“Thanks.”
She smiled softly in answer.
“I won’t let him do that to you again Buffy, I swear.”
She nodded and his heart ached for how much she trusted everything he said.
“It didn’t hurt.” She lied trying to make him feel better and he fought back tears.
“You know, you don’t act 13, you’re a mature girl Buffy, good things are gonna’ happen for you someday.”
She chose not to answer with words, instead throwing herself into his arms and giving him a fierce hug.
He squeezed her back for a moment, wishing she hadn’t had to suffer through what had happened tonight.
“Spike?”
“Hmmm?”
“Do you think someday you’ll like me too?” she whispered.
“I already like you pet, as a…” before he could add the word friend to his sentence her soft lips were pressed against his in a quick kiss, it lasted all of 5 seconds before he pushed her away gently but firmly once the shock wore off.
“Buffy, you can’t do that, I don’t like you like that. You’re way way too young for me princess.”
The way her eyes watered up broke his heart and the next sentence that came out of his mouth broke her heart, “I don’t love you, I can’t and m’ sorry, but you’ll find a nice young boy your age to hang out with I’m sure.”
She sniffled, “You don’t love me?”
“No, I don’t.”
“And you’re sure?”
“Yes, I am.”
And with that she took off leaving Spike alone with his thoughts, trying to shake off the shiver that her lips pressed against his had caused, she was only a kid for fuck sake! He hated himself in that moment, for hurting her and for wanting another kiss; he hated himself more than anything. But 3 years was too big a gap at that age, a lifetime really.
The next day he had asked Harmony Kendell out and Buffy hadn’t spoken a single word to him since. It had been a catch 22 from the start.

***
At least until today he thought with a smile as the cool water washed over him.
End Notes:
thank you Jake and Amelia, i didn't delete your reviews, the story got deleted, and i'm not sure how any of this all happened. hopefully starting over has taken away the issues you guys had with this fic, tho' i honestly just couldn't see them from my end, cheers :)
2 by lindsay
Author's Notes:
thanks for the uplifting reviews guys! means a lot.
Cordy and Fred glared at him for a full 5 minutes while he stood on the porch, doing his best impression of a puppy, Cordy even went as far as to raise her hand in a ‘im so gonna’ fucken’ smack you’ gesture but lowered it before throwing her arms around him, Fred in tow.

“God I missed you crazy birds” he said, his hands wrapped around them tightly. “I’m sorry, so sorry that I lost touch with you guys. I’ll make it up, I swear!”

Cordy arched a brow, “You better, start with buying us ridiculously girly drinks for the entire night and we’ll see where to go from there.”

Spike laughed, “You haven’t changed Cordy, not a bit.” She threw Xander a smile, “Actually…”

“We’re engaged” Xan said proudly, Cordy now flaunting the ring she’d been wearing.

“Wow…WOW, I mean, wow! Congratulations” he said giving Xan a friendly hug before giving Cordy a kiss on the cheek. His eyes turned to Fred and Gunn, “I know you two are married, but any surprises I should know about?”

Fred giggled, her Texan drawl charming as usual, “Nah, not yet anyway, but we’re trying to start a family so…well, we’ll let you know.”

Spike beamed at them, “That’s fantastic. God, but it’s good to be home.”, the anger he’d felt earlier about returning to this place dissipating, maybe he wasn’t putting his life on hold, maybe he was just starting to get it back.

“Where’s Red?” he inquired.

“Out with Buffy at the bar, she needed a friend.” Gunn offered.
“Buffy or Red?”

“Buffy, just got dumped.”

“I saw her this afternoon, she looked fine.”

Fred sighed, “Looks can be deceiving, Buffy’s strong, puts up a tough front on the outside…but on the inside, I think she’s dealing with a lot.”

“I’m not trying to be rude but when did you guys friend up with her?”

“Not too long after you left Buffy’s mother passed, she didn’t have friends her own age, not that 3 years is a big gap anyway, but we kind of took her in, she’s a great girl.” Cordy said softly.

Spike inhaled sharply, “God that’s terrible…her mum’s all she had left.”
“Ya and thank god for that.” Gunn spat out.


***

Spike walked with a purpose to the garage where Hank Summers was currently employed.

“Summers” he roared.

Hank wiped his forehead with his sleeve and rolled out from under the car and stood up.

“Calendar. We got a problem?”

Hank didn’t see the punch coming but fuck did he feel it, “Goddamn right we have a problem” He the older man again, grabbing his shirt before he could fall and dragged him into the bathroom for employees only. Grabbing the older man’s hair Spike made him look at his reflection.

“Tell me what you see” he hissed.

“A deranged asshole of a kid” Hank spat out.

“Wrong answer” Spike yelled and pushed Hank’s face into the glass. “You see a man that’s not good enough for the Summers ladies, you see a man whose gonna’ pack up and leave and most importantly….hey, no closing your eyes, lookit’ me! Most importantly I want you to see the promise in my eyes. Hurt Buffy again, and I’ll murder you myself” With those final words spoken Spike cracked Hanks head into the mirror, shattering the glass and hopefully the pattern of abuse little Buffy Summers had lived with for god knows how long.

Hank Summers had left town 3 hours later and had never come back. 3 weeks later he had found a handful of hand picked daisies by his bicycle before going to school one morning, there had been no note but then he hadn’t needed one to know who had left them.

***


“By the way Spike” Fred drawled, “Billy Idol called…”

Spike raised a hand in mock surrender, “And he wants his look back, I know” he laughed out along with the others, “Not gonna’ happen tho’, makes me feel all manly.”

The guys laughed and the girls rolled their eyes as Fred and Gunn hopped into the trucks seats and the others made do with the cab, Cordy trying to keep her hair flat while the wind whipped through it, Xander ever the gentleman, trying to shield her.






“I’m better off without him” Buffy sighed and sipped on her diet coke.

Willow nodded her head vigorously, “He was a poop face.”

Buffy laughed before sighing. “I know I know, it’s just lonely here sometimes, you know, with mom gone and the horses sold off to pay for the funerals it feels like I’m starting at ground zero again.”

Willow squeezed Buffy’s hand, “The horses have wonderful owners and beautiful homes, your mom would be proud of you for dealing with everything as well as you did Buffy, no parent could ask for a better daughter…and sometimes, I think re-starting at zero is the best way to go.”

Buffy smiled at her quiet friend, “Thanks. What would I do without you?”

Willow smiled, “You’d probably be a felon or something by now.” The girls laughed at clinked their coke cans together.”

“To friends” Willow said cheerily.
“To old ones too?” came the accented voice from behind. Willow squealed and managed to somehow turn and throw herself out of her seat and into his arms simultaneously.

Spike laughed while he held her, “Think I missed you the most” he whispered in her ear, smiling when he heard the “you better have” whispered back.

They turned back to the now empty table and Willow frowned, she didn’t want Buffy to be alone right now, but if that was what Buffy wanted to be she couldn’t stop it, that much she’d learned from experience. At least she hadn’t left the bar entirely; she realized when she caught a glimpse of her friends long blond pig-tails on the dance floor.

The night had passed too quickly in Spike’s opinion and he vowed never to forget how important the people sitting around him were ever again. At some point Buffy had slipped away and he felt a pang of disappointment. He politely declined the lift home when closing time came around, telling his friends he wanted the fresh air.

After about twenty minutes of walking he found himself a short distance from the swimming hole and smiled when he heard the sound of soft singing. His feet had more control than his mind did apparently because the next thing he knew he was walking up behind her.

“Last time I was here you were crying, it’s good that some things change.”

She turned her head and raised an eyebrow giving him a soft smile, “I came here to swim.”

“Mind if I join you?” a beat, “Déjà vu, huh kitten?” he laughed.

She opted not to say anything and though Spike had half expected her to stay in her shorts and shirt like she had 7 years ago she didn’t and he swallowed back a moan. The moonlight danced across her skin chasing the shadows back and forth, revealing her perfect body. Tan, smooth skin, flat stomach, toned legs and arms, the smooth column of her neck leading to a collarbone he wanted to dance his fingertips across. Her bikini was all white, and when she turned to dive in he noticed the writing on the backside of it, ‘Bite Me’ with two l’il red dots that looked like a vampire bite. He bit his lip and shut his eyes as he peeled off his shirt, ‘calm yourself mate’ he told himself and jumped into the cool waist deep water hoping it would help.

He and Buffy were only a few feet away from each other and he couldn’t help but notice the way the water sparkled on her.

“You’re beautiful”

She smiled, “You know, I would have killed to hear you say that when I was younger.”

“And now?” he asked taking a step forward but stopping at that distance.

“Now? Well now murder isn’t on my ‘Get Spike to notice me’ list.”

He laughed, “There’s a list?”

“I probably have one written down in a journal somewhere” she giggled.

“I really am sorry if I ever hurt you Buffy.”

She rolled her eyes, “I thought we’d been over this already?”

“Yes and no…you said it was ok, that you understand, but I don’t think you really do.”

“Do we really have to get into this, I’ve moved on, you plain out moved…I don’t see the need to put importance into a childhood crush at this age.”

“It’s important to me.”

She nodded her head, “Ok, let’s talk, but not in here, I’m kinda’ cold.”

He followed her out the water and smiled when she pulled out an extra towel, “Knew I’d be here did you?”

She snorted, “Nooo, knew I’d get my hair wet.”

Ha laughed, more than a little embarrassed at his assumption but comfortable in her company none the less.

“I was sorry to hear about your loss. Joyce was a right nice lady.”
“I’m sorry to hear about your loss too…well; sorry for your mom at least, I know you hated Ethan.”
“How’s that?”
“I noticed you, that’s all.”
He nodded his head. “So, like I was saying in the water, there’s some things you don’t understand.
She nodded her head as if to tell him to continue and so he did.
“I didn’t know you that well Buffy, but you were a sweet kid with a misguided crush that could only have led to bad things.”
“I know, and I say again, we so don’t have to go over this.”
“Shh, let me finish, thing is…I noticed you too.”
Her mouth dropped open a bit but she remained silent.
“I noticed how adorable you were, how beautiful you would be. I noticed how strong you were and how much you cared about your mom, But I noticed your age too, and that’s why my noticing had to stop. You were just a kid Buffy, and it broke my heart to have to break yours….”

“I know it was you that got Hank to leave.” She said softly.
“And I know it was you that left me those daisies.” He whispered back.
“We were never friends though Spike, so to be honest, I don’t know why you’re sitting here telling me all this.”
He ran a hand through his wet hair and sighed, and then he chuckled, and then laughter split his sides. “I don’t know” he managed to get out, his infectious laughter had her joining in.

“Maybe we can be friends now?” he asked after a few moments.
“Well, that sounds…doable” she responded with a smile.
“So…feel like talking about what happened tonight?”

Her smile stayed in place he was happy to note, “I got dumped, my heart remains intact.”
“Didn’t love the guy?”
“God no, the thing is I wanted too, he was nice and normal and…”
“Safe?”
She smiled at him, “I was going to say boring.”
Spike laughed at that, “You’re as honest as you ever were. That’s a good quality to keep.”
“Thank you.”
“Just being honest. So what do you do now to pass the time, make some cash?”
“I take care of horses, sing at the bar sometimes. I used to have a beautiful one.”
“Bar?”
“No, horse, but she died a few years back.”
“What was her name?”
“His name was Apocalypse.”
“Type?”
“Gypsy Vanner. Mainly black except for a streak of white down his left side, he was stunning.”
“Sounds like. So is that what you were doing at my mom’s place? Handling the horses?”
She nodded her head, “Slayer’s definitely got some kick to her, Dawn is the biggest brat of a horse I’ve ever known and Clem is just a sweetheart, poor guy with his skin condition…it’s clearing up nicely though.”
“I noticed, it’s good to see him more people friendly, you must be very good at what you do.”
“Oh, I am, I really, really am” she said with a smirk and walking off, leaving him pondering the mystery of Buffy Summers.
3 by lindsay
Spike whistled as he walked up her stairs, freshly washed towel in hand. It would serve a noble purpose, much nobler then drying his hair the night before, this towel was his in into her house.

He glanced at his watch, ten in the morning, not too early and not too late. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door, and when it opened he sucked in a breath.

“You’re gorgeous” he blurted out before turning slightly red and thrusting the towel in her face.

She laughed, “I’m wearing a tank top and jogging pants Spike, but thank you…for shooting laundry in my face, coffee?”

He ran a shaky hand through his hair and smiled nervously before adding a “Yes please.”

She obviously had no qualms with people walking through her house, which was very modernly decorated to his surprise. You didn’t find much chic in the country. Her two couches were deep chocolate brown leather with a pastel blue accent chair. Her curtains were billowing softly and he noticed they were the same color as the chair with almost invisible pin stripes that matched the couches. The coffee table and end tables were all glass tops with beautifully designed cast iron frames and legs. What shocked him the most was the massive television set up she had, and was that a PS3?

He wandered into the kitchen and noticed the clean top white cupboards and the charcoal bottom colors that matched the wall opposite. A small glass coffee table with long legs stood in one corner flanked black stools with backs.

“Not the average country bumpkin place you were expecting?” she asked with a smile in her voice.

“”Not at all, it’s refreshing to find a place here that doesn’t have wicker from left to right on every floor.”

She laughed, “That’s what I thought too. How do you take your coffee?”

“Black with four sugars please”, at her raised eyebrow he leered and added, “Can’t help it if I’ve got a sweet tooth now can I, sugar?”

“Were you this lame in high school? I really don’t remember you sounding this desperate.”

“Hey now, give a bloke a break.”

She rolled her eyes and smiled, “Feel like drinking this outside? I usually sit out there a bit in the mornings when it’s nice enough.”

“Sure thing kitten” Spike answered, rushing to open the back door for her while she grabbed the tray holding their beverages and a small bowl of grapes.

“Wow” was all Spike could say when he looked at her backyard at the furniture and flowers that decorated it. It looked like something out of a magazine. In the middle of the yard there was a tiled off area in a slate gray that matched the outdoor couch and two loveseats. In the middle was a table that looked like the one found in her living room but this was longer and lower to the ground. The deep red cushions matched the gerber daisies that adorned the whole of one side of the fence. On the other side lay several cherry trees, perfectly spaced and pruned. He could see the fairy lights nestled into the branches and foliage everywhere, as well as woven into the trellis that took up the back fence of the yard, in the middle of it was a door that would lead into the now empty space that had been used for her horses, no wonder she’d closed it off he thought with a heavy heart.

“It must be beautiful out here at night, have you ever thought of becoming an interior designer or a landscape designer?”

She nodded her head as they sat down and took their coffees, “I have, but I love working with the horses too much to devote much time to anything else.”

“Have you ever had a party out here?” he asked, curious.

“No, I just finished this a few weeks back, it’s still new.”

“You should have one, invite the gang, have a bbq, and celebrate the summer in style.”

She smirked at him, “And you would come?”

“Of course.”

“Mmm hmmm”, she put her coffee down on the table, “Don’t you think it would be a lot easier to ask me out then to have me plan a party?”

He spit his coffee onto the grass and laughed, “Probably, but I’m playing hard to get.”

It was her turn to laugh at the sight he’d made and the corny line he’d shot back, “Spike, I’m going to the bar tonight, I’ll be dateless and open to a few dances should you make it there. Also, I’m having a bbq next weekend, say around seven o’clock, would you like to come?”

“I don’t know….”

“Asshole.”

“You love it.”
“I used to at least, so, you’ll be there?”

“Wouldn’t miss it, you can tell the gang tonight at the bar which I’ll be making sure we’ll be going to” he said with a wink and a small smile as he got up, “Well, I better be off, I guess I’ll see you at my place later?”

“Yup, I’ll be there, I’ll walk you out.”

When they reached the front door he was at a loss for what to say, something casual? Something funny? Something sweet?

He just stood there staring while Buffy watched him open his mouth several times only to close it a split second later, she was clearly amused as she closed the distance between them, leaving only a hair of space so she could speak.

“You used to be more outgoing.”

“Never was to your extent though kitten” he said, heartbeat accelerating, he could smell the vanilla and honey body-wash on her skin and it was driving him wild.

“See you tonight cowboy” she said with a wink and before he even knew how it happened he was on the front balcony again with the door closed in his face.

“What the hell just happened?” he asked out loud, “Buffy Summers” came his silent mental reply.

He smirked as he walked to his truck and gunned the engine, two could play at this game, and he was willing to bet he could play hard, almost as hard as she'd made him just before kicking him out of the house. He adjusted himself and sighed happily before pulling out of her driveway.
End Notes:
thanks for everyone supporting this, i'm so grateful to those of you who take the time to lemme know what you think, hope you enjoy!
4 by lindsay
Author's Notes:
hope you like :)
http://www.worldofhorses.co.uk/horses_usa/Breeds/Images/Gypsy_Vanner_horse.jpg, paste that link to see the horse

Spike patted slayer on the nose after giving her a wash down, the sun had been hot on their afternoon ride. When he got back to the corral Buffy was there talking to his mother on the front porch. They giggled as he approached, “Ladies” he drawled, tipping his hat.

Buffy snorted and Jenny laughed, “See what I mean Buffy?”

The blond rolled her eyes, “Oh ya, he can turn on the charm Jenny.” She agreed.

Spike smirked, “So you were talking about me then?”

“Your mom was; I was just listening” Buffy snarked back and he laughed.

“So William, any plans for tonight?” Jenny asked with a quick glance at Buffy.

“Yup. Big ones.”

Buffy laughed, “He’s heading to the bar, and we all are.”

“That doesn’t qualify as big plans to you birds?”

Jenny laughed and Buffy smiled, “I suppose they are when there’s nothing else to do in this town.” Buffy conceded and he smiled before heading inside.

“Want something to drink?” he called out from the kitchen, hearing his mom yell back “make some lemonade, Buffy help him please, last time he forgot the sugar.”

He shook his head at his mom, it hadn’t been the last time he had made it, and it had been when he was six.

“Need some help?” Buffy teased, walking to the kitchen table and sitting down.

“I think I got it, mum’s just trying to play matchmaker.”

“Ya, I kinda’ caught on to that” she giggled.

“So, what are you wearing to the bar tonight?” he asked with a leer.

“Jeans and a top”

“Minx”

She laughed, “Ya, nothing says sex kitten like a tank top and faded ripped pants.”

“You know it” he teased back.

“You?” she asked back.

“Jeans and a top.”

“Ooooh, however will the ladies keep themselves away from you?”

“With mind boggling restraint I’d imagine” he answered with a leer and then a chuckle.

He had just finished making the lemonade and pouring out 3 glasses when Jenny walked inside, swiped a glass and headed up the stairs slowly, “I’m taking a nap, have fun you guys” she said and closed the door behind her.

Spike and Buffy looked at each other and burst out laughing at her obvious antics.

“Feel like going for a ride?”

She eyed him from top to bottom, “That’s all I ever want cowboy.” She answered and walked outside to the corral. Spike watching her ass sway with a smile.

He grabbed his car keys and yelled out, “I meant in the truck kitten, I’ve got to go pick something up.”

She eyed the trailer attached to it, “New horse?” she asked walking over.

“Ya, called a guy last night, he had exactly what I’ve been looking for, it’s an hour out, still wanna’ come?”

She shrugged her shoulders, “I finished my work here while you were out on Slayer, so I don’t see why not.”

He smiled and opened the door for her before climbing into the driver’s seat and taking off.

For the most part they tried to out-sing each other when a song played that they both knew and when they didn’t know the lyrics they chatted about old relationships, funny mishaps and good times.

Spike felt happier than he had in a long time and was almost saddened when he pulled into the driveway of their destination, but the smile on Buffy’s face was contagious.

“What’s got you bouncin’ in the seat kitten?” he asked, turning the car off.

“I love meeting new horses, they’re so much like people but without the ability to open their mouth and ruin everything.”

He laughed and shook his head, “Come on.”

She followed him to the back where he embraced the middle aged man that emerged from the barn, looking around she counted 9 horses in the field, 4 dogs, 5 cats lolling about on the porch and 2 cows.

“Giles, this is Buffy” Spike introduced while the two shook hands.

“Nice to meet you Buffy” the kindly looking man said with a smile that made his eyes twinkle.

“Likewise, this is quite the place you have here; I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it.”

Giles laughed, “Well, I’m not a seller, I’m a taker. People bring me the animals they find abused, or the animals they can’t afford to take care of anymore. I get donations here and there that helps me do it, I’m retired so I have all the time in the world to treat them right.”

Buffy smiled warmly at the man, “What a wonderful thing to do.”

“It’s my pleasure, I can assure you.”

“So old man, where is he?” Spike piped up and the others laughed, Buffy adding “So he really is that rude to everyone.”

Giles nodded as they started to walk into the barn, “I take it with a grain of salt, I think he was dropped on the head as a baby.”

They both laughed at Spikes shouted, “Hey now, I’ve got feelings you know!” but he said it with a smile in his voice.

When Giles opened the doors Buffy gasped and practically ran to the horse standing in the open area, Giles looked at Spike and smiled, the boy had a heart of gold, his eyes fixated only on the girl, whose eyes were fixated only on the gorgeous gypsy vanner in front of her. “What’s his name?” she cooed and Spike smiled.

“Cataclysm”

She turned her eyes to him, remembering Apocalypse, “He’s gorgeous.”

Spike walked up to the horse, running his hands across the 15 hand high creature in front of him. “He’s just turned six, was looking for a good home.”

Buffy smiled, “Well, he’s certainly found one on the Calendar farm, haven’t you stud?” she asked the horse with a giggle.

Spike looked at Giles who walked up to Buffy with the ownership papers, “Well actually he doesn’t belong to the Calendars” he said with a smile, placing the papers in her hand.

“What?” she looked down and read the document, before looking at Spike.

“I can’t accept this” she said, trying to hand her papers to him but he just raised his hands and smiled.

“Sorry kitten, papers say he’s yours and I’m not one to break the law.”

She frowned, “I don’t know what to say…”

“So don’t say anything, you can’t prove it was me who did it.”

She looked at the paper again, “Spike, this says I own 3 horses…”

“The other 2 are arriving next week” Giles said, amused and endeared by her obvious shock.

“But…”

“Can’t prove a thing Summers.” Spike said with a cocky grin and winked at Giles who still had the check for 10,000 dollars in his pocket. Part of Spike’s inheritance from Ethan’s passing, the boy had argued with Giles over the amount, Giles trying to explain the horses were his for free, knowing they would have a good home with the Calendar’s or whoever the Calendars saw fit to have them. Spike had been adamant saying repeatedly, “its bad money doing a good thing.” The shockingly blond male had also insisted on keeping his name off the ownership papers and the details of payment completely private, as far as the bank knew, the check was given by one Buffy A. Summers, it helped that Giles’ brother Wesley ran it.
Coyote Ugly by lindsay
Author's Notes:
thanks to all for the fantastic support, it means the world!
Buffy was quiet for the most part, only starting to speak when they were about fifteen minutes away from home, “I have nowhere to keep them, I didn’t do the upkeep on the barn because…well, because I didn’t want to go in there anymore.”

Spike smiled, “There’s plenty of room at my mum’s place, you know that, we’ll all get together this weekend and have that BBQ, only it will be a fixer upper day with food. Sound good to you?”

She could only nod her head, too afraid to open her mouth and let the sobs out. He was a good man, not an evil bone in him, an evil tongue maybe she thought with a tiny amused sniffle, but not a bone.

“Fancy taking him out for a ride once he’s unloaded? After that I was thinking we could introduce him to the others so he won’t be as lonely until his brothers get here.”

Her interest peaked at that, “They’re all brothers?”

“Yup”

“Wow, the other two must be as gorgeous as they are.”

“They are at that.”

“Spike I don’t feel com…”

He turned the music on as loud as it could go and yelled over the sound, “We’ve been over this Summers, you can’t prove anything, but whoever did it must think you’re pretty fucken’ incredible”

She smiled despite the overwhelming urge to bawl and began singing the song now playing along with him.

When they pulled up to the farm they could smell the aroma of Jenny’s famous stew and smiled, “I’m staying for supper” Buffy said and jumped from the truck to unload her new baby.

“Cataclysm” she cooed out as she unhitched the reigns and pulled him out gently. “Come on baby doll, its okay.”

The horse walked down the small metal plank that acted as a walkway and nuzzled her shoulder.

“Love at first sight for him too it seems” Spike teased happily; never before had he purchased something for someone else and felt such joy from it.

“He’s just a big baby with a bad ass name” she giggled as they walked him over to the barn so that she could saddle him up while he saddled Slayer up again, happy to see her eager for another run already.

When Cataclysm was properly set up Buffy took a deep breath and climbed into the saddle.

He barely heard her whispered “wow” as she got used to the beast beneath her, Apocalypse had apparently been a short one, 12 hands high, but then she was a tiny slip of a thing as well. He briefly wondered if she’d even be able to Catastrophe and Carnage, twin animals standing at a whopping seventeen hands, ‘oh well’ he thought to himself, “I guess I’ll have to help her exercise ‘em’, a leer spread over his lips at the prospect of the time he would be able to spend with her.

“Not used to such a large animal between your legs?” he taunted and she arched a brow.

“Not used to such a large animal that doesn’t ruin everything by talking when it’s between my legs.” She answered, applying a light pressure to Cataclysms’ flanks and off they went, the sound of her laughter like prey, he wanted to catch up with it and make it his.

They must have been going hard for at least twenty minutes, hopping off the horses and leading them to the small pond there, loosely tying the reigns to the pole a few feet into the water so that the horses could cool down.

“So, I was thinking that maybe sometime soon me and you could do something without the gang and non ranch related” Spike began nervously.

She smiled up at him from her seated position on the ground, “Why do you sound so scared? I’ve wanted you to ask me that for years, and I’m single, so the obvious answer is yes” she gently teased.

He sat down next to her in the grass and wrapped an arm around her as they watched their horses, her head coming to lean on his shoulder.

“I guess because I wanted it too.” A moment passed before he spoke again, “I didn’t realize how much I’d missed this place” he admitted.

“Sunnydale does that to you I think. It can seem so evil when you’re younger, like if you stay you’re trapped in this small going nowhere rural town but the older you get I think you start to understand that you’re not trapped in this place, it’s trapped in you. You start to remember things a little differently, a little more maturely. Cleaning out the stables everyday wasn’t a punishment, running the horses for exercise wasn’t a chore, looking back now I see that learning those things and being surrounded by good people and fantastic animals was the best thing to ever happen to me. Mom loved it here too, more so after what you did for us, and she died one of the happiest people I knew. If only because of that Sunnydale will always be my home, demons included.”

“Demons?” he asked quietly, loving that she was opening up to him.

She laughed lightly, “It was what mom used to call bad memories, she used to say even if something seemed apocalyptic you had to face it head on, never back away.”

“You’re mom was a smart lady, is that how you got the name for your horse?”

She nodded, “Ya, and where did you come up with Slayer?”

“Nickname for an old crush”

Her interest piqued at that, “Who?”

“You.”

“Oh…” she was embarrassed to realize that she was blushing, “Can I ask why you called me that?”

“It killed me not to be with you…I’m gonna’ kiss you now Summers” he whispered, leaning in.

“About time Calendar” she breathed back before his lips pressed against hers in the most gentle display of affection she’d ever received. It was over too soon, a second in a sea of millions but it was enough. And when he pulled away she ruffled his hair and jumped up, “We better head back if we want to be ready on time to meet the gang”

He just smiled in response, the ride back was quiet but with stolen glances and secret smiles, it was the best ride of his life.



Later that night after getting out of the shower and dressing for a night out at the bar he found a small pile of daisies next to his truck and couldn’t help but smile, she was the same Buffy Summers he had wanted when he shouldn’t have, only now he could. The smile never left his face as he drove the fifteen minutes to the bar.

Walking through the creaky wooden door he couldn’t help but laugh when he saw Buffy, Willow, Cordy and Fred the center of attention as they danced on the bar to the song “Boot, Scoot and Boogy”, cat calls of “That’s how it’s done” and “Hell yeah” echoing throughout the room.

When the song finished and the girls jumped off they ordered a pitcher each and grabbed a table, Spike sliding in next to Xan and Gunn, “So, tribute to Coyote Ugly?” he asked Gunn who laughed and said no.

Buffy piped up, “Tribute to free drinks, which we get every time we do that”

The table laughed and cheers’ed each other, glasses clinking and the conversation flowing. Fuck, it really was good to be home Spike thought as he winked at Buffy over the glass he was drinking from and watched her eyes twinkle with happiness.
Chapter 6 by lindsay
The whole night was a series of sitting down and drinking, stolen glances, and lewd jokes between the friends and Spike couldn’t remember having a better time.

At some point the girls had all flown to the dance floor for some cheeky song they loved to sway to while the men stared appreciatively.

Xander’s eyes on Cordelia.
Gunn’s on Fred.
Spike’s on Buffy, and hers on him he noticed with a devilish smirk. He rose and looked at his friends, “Sorry mates, duty calls”

Xander and Gunn laughed and raised their beers to him in mock salute before talking about what had been going on that night.

“So, Buffy and Spike huh?” Xander asked a little confused.

Gunn shook his head and smiled, “You have to be the most oblivious guy I’ve ever known. This has been coming for about eight years now.”

Xander’s eyes bugged, “What?”

“Buffy’s had a crush on Spike since she was a kid Xan, don’t tell me you never noticed?”

Xander shook his head ‘no’.

Gunn sighed but with a smile, “And you never noticed Spike’s off the handle reactions to anyone saying something about her?”

“The only thing I know Spike did for Buffy was take care of that asshole Hank.”

Gunn’s eyes clouded with anger remembering the terrible things he’d done to that girl and her mother but shook it off, dwelling on Buffy’s sad past would accomplish nothing. Dwelling on Spike’s on the other hand…

“Remember when Spike kicked that Angel guy in the nuts for saying she looked fuckable?”

Xander laughed as the memory came back and Gunn continued.

“And when he bitch slapped Parker Abrams in front of the whole football team for saying he was going to bed Buffy?”

“Fuck I almost forgot about that” Xander sputtered out between laughter, another memory making its way to the forefront of his mind.

“I can’t believe I forgot this Gunn, but do you remember when Warren Mears was telling his friends that he was going to eat out a lot ‘this’ summer, cuz’ his mom was going to be away and Spike heard ‘Going to eat a lot of Summer’s’?”

Gunn couldn’t help it and spit his beer out mid-sip. “That was fucking priceless, I can’t believe Spike didn’t even have to touch the guy – just growl – for that pansy to piss himself.”



On the dance floor:

“You smell fantastic Buffy”

Her back was pressed to his chest as they swayed to the beat of whatever song was playing now, neither one caring whose voice was coming from the speakers.

“Hmmmm, sweat and soap and horses, I must smell good.”

Spike chuckled lowly and the sound sent shivers down her heated body. “More like sun and honey gorgeous.”

“You, William Calendar, have a silver tongue; it makes a girl wonder though…”

“Wonder what kitten?” he asked, hoping that she wasn’t under the impression he was interested in anyone who even so much as looked at him.

“If your other parts are as talented…or shiny” she said with a giggle and Spike laughed.

“And I think you’ve had too much to drink sweets, come on, I’ll walk you home.”

Buffy smiled sassily and walked back to the table to grab her things, knowing
Spike was right behind her.

She winked at Xander and Gunn, both of who managed to suppress their smiles, and flounced away. When Spike grabbed his coat and saluted the two men they couldn’t help but let their smiles burst free.

“In just a few days she has you following her around and buying her horses, whiiiiipped” Xander teased with an exaggerated flick of the wrist and Gunn snorted at the distaste on Spike’s face.

“Call me tomorrow; tell the ladies I said g’night”

Gunn nodded his goodbye and Xander yelped in surprise when he was swatted upside the head but it did nothing to quell the good time he was having at Spike’s expense.
Spike walked through the doors of the bar into the fresh air and breathed deeply, enjoying the slight crisp edge of the night.

His eyes scanned the area until they landed on her, and he smiled to himself when he tossed her the jacket.

“Thanks, it’s pretty chilly tonight” Buffy admitted, grateful for the extra warmth his old letterman jacket afforded her. “I can’t believe I’m wearing William ‘Spike’ Calendars football jacket, I wonder if he’ll pin me soon?” she teased.

“Well that really depends on you, doesn’t it kitten?” he asked with a quirk of his eyebrow and she realized how sexual her once innocent statement had seemed.

Her eyes twinkled, “Pig.”

“Point being?”

“Do I have to make a point every time I make a statement, or can it just be conversational?”

“You think calling me a pig is conversational?” he asked, amused.

“Well, let me see. I called you a pig, and now we’re having a conversation about it, seems like it wouldn’t be a far stretch to call it conversational.”

He threw his head back and laughed while they began the short walk to her house. “You haven’t changed one bit Summers, it’s refreshing.”

“Oh, I’ve changed William. Some changes you can see immediately…”, she took a moment to let her eyes roam over his body openly, “and some ways are more apparent in private.”

“You, Buffy Summers, are enough sinner to test a saint.”

“And you, Spike Calendar, are no saint.”

“No, I’m not.” he admitted before grabbing her arms and pulling him to her roughly while at the same time pressing a gentle kiss to her lips that had her heart racing and her nails digging into his back.

His body couldn’t help his reaction to the beautiful girl in his arms and tried to pull away when he felt himself hardening but Buffy proved too hard to tear himself away from, and when she pushed herself into him even harder he assessed that it didn’t bother her. She tasted like sugar and alcohol and he found the taste addictive but would love to taste her when she wasn’t half loaded on those ridiculous girly drinks she and her friends had been particularly fond of this evening.
At that he pulled away and rested his forehead against hers, each looking into the half closed eyes of the other and he couldn’t help but smile at her while one hand came up to tuck a strand of hair behind her ears.

“You really never forgot about me Buffy?”

“No, I didn’t.”

She didn’t question his need to hear her voice that when he knew the answer already and the sweet kiss that followed her statement made her happy that she’d kept herself quiet for once even in the face of easy taunting.
Chapter 7 by lindsay
Spike felt like a teenager again, standing in front of Buffy’s house and sneaking in a kiss whenever he could, the both of them giggling like they were going to get caught by some parental figure.

In the end they sat on the porch and just talked, him one step higher and her one lower, sitting between his legs with his arms wrapped around her.

“I missed you, when you left.”

“I almost wish I hadn’t but I can’t regret the things I’ve learned or done.”

“I didn’t mean I wanted you to turn back time, I just meant that I missed you. You don’t have to justify anything to me.”

His arms tightened around her and he rested his chin on her shoulder, pressing a soft kiss into her neck.

“Yes I do. I liked you Summers, it’s one of the reasons I left.”

He felt her stiffen slightly, but she didn’t move which he took as a sign to continue.

“I was too old – at the time at least – to be able to be with you.”

She giggled softly, “We already went over this”, relaxing back against him and snuggling into his warmth.

“I know…I just feel like I wasted so much time getting to know you.”

“We have time, there’s no rush.”

“I know…I don’t know what I’m trying to say I guess” he answered, obviously irritate with his lack of being able to articulate his thoughts.

She was so amazing, so beautiful, so deserving of everything good the world had to offer.

“You deserve someone incredible Buffy.”

“That works out well since I like this sort of incredible guy.”

“Do you now?” he purred into her ear, shivers going through her.

“Yup.”

“Tell me about him.”

“He’s sweet, good with horses, caring, sexy as hell, and he’s spoiled me rotten.”

“Tell me more about how sexy he is.”

She laughed and elbowed him lightly, “What about you Calendar? Anyone special in your life?”

“I hope so.”

“What’s she like?”

“Spunky, funny, a golden goddess in the looks department, a tease, and most definitely worth being spoiled.”

“She sounds like a bitch” Buffy quipped, swatting his leg when he answered “She’s that too.”

“Spike?”

“Hmmm kitten?”

“What are we?”

“People.”

“Shut up, you know what I meant” she laughed.

“What do you want us to be?”

She turned her neck so that she was looking him in the eyes, “That’s a cop-out answer.”

“I suppose it is, I just feel kind of old to be asking me if you’re my girlfriend…”

“Was that your way of asking me if I’m your girlfriend?”

“If it was?”

“If it was, I’d say yes.”

“Then it was.”

“Yes.”

He smiled and lowered his mouth to hers; relishing the feel of their softness before they parted and he deepened the kiss, only breaking away when they were both breathless.

“I have waited so long for this” she admitted with a shy smile that he returned, “Me too Buffy.”

“Do you want to spend the night? Not to…you know, but just to sleep with me?”

“I would love to.”

She smiled and held his hand as they walked to the door and inside the house. “I’ve never had a guy sleep here” she admitted and he suppressed a possessive growl that threatened to escape at the thought of being the first one to have her in her bed, even if it wasn’t sexual in nature…yet.

“Well then, thank you for letting me.”

She led them up the stairs to her room, “Thank you for staying.”

She let go of his hand to rummage through one of her drawers for a pair of shorts and a shirt that would fit him. She found a shirt and thought for a moment before stuffing it to the back of the drawer, opting only to pull out an old pair of men’s basketball shorts she’d gotten as a joke – long story – from Willow for her 16th birthday.

“I’m not wearing some other bloke’s castaway’s kitten” Spike said, sulking.

“Grow up Calendar, they’re mine” she said with a smirk, tossing him the ‘offensive’ shorts.

“What are you doing with man-shorts?”

“It’s a story no one will ever pry from my lips, now come on, get changed.”

“Where’s your bathroom?”

“Are you afraid to change in front of me?” she asked, teasing, while she, sans hesitation, lifted her top over her head tossing it to the floor and leaving him to stare at her almost naked breasts.

A few seconds passed while he remained floored to the same spot, “What are you, fifteen?” she asked.

“No, but I’m male Buffy, and you have no idea how beautiful you are do you?”

She shrugged her shoulders in response and he realized she really didn’t.

Swift strides brought him to stand in front of her before strong arms reached down, lifting her onto the dresser while he settled himself between her legs. He lifted his arms while she tugged his shirt off.
His hands came up to cup her face, eyes never leaving hers as if to tell her this wasn’t about sex or the wanting of it right now.

“You’re the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen Buffy, you practically shine and the fact that you don’t know it only makes you more…”

“Glowy?”

“No…that’s not the right word...”

“Effulgent?” she asked with a timid smile.

His eyes searched hers for any sign of sarcasm or mockery

“God yes” he moaned before capturing her lips while her arms wrapped around his back, holding him tightly to her body. He pulled his mouth away with a soft groan.

“I better get changed.”

She went to make a snarky comment when she noticed his erection and knew why he’d broken the kiss and she kept her mouth shut.

When they had both settled under the blankets, her head resting on his chest and his fingers playing in her hair she switched off the lamp, darkness swallowing the room save for a small area near her window that let the moonlight shine in.

“Buffy?”

“Ya?”

“I missed you too pet.” he whispered, finishing the conversation from outside.

He could feel her smile into his chest and his heart swelled.

“I know.”
Chapter 8 by lindsay
Spike woke up and began to stretch before feeling the small slip of girl nuzzle into him and stopped all movements. Looking down at her, curled up into his side and sleeping so peacefully, he couldn’t help the feeling of warmth that spread through his entire being. She was so tiny, so beautiful, and for a moment – this moment – she was his. It was a wonderful feeling really, the idea of her being his, not as a possession of course, though he would love to possess her he thought with a wicked grin, but his in the sense that she was his girl, or felt like his girl at least and he would do anything to make her happy…if anyone ‘owned’ anyone, she owned him.

Was it soon to be thinking like this? Yes, but this he knew, he simply didn’t care. He’d spent years running away from things, putting his wants on hold for other people and in this moment it felt like he had put himself first for the first time in a long while.

“What are you thinking about?” came her groggy voice.

“You.”

“Good or bad?”

“Good…always good kitten,” he answered and began to run his hand along her waist, wordlessly urging her to snuggle more into him, which she did.

“I could get used to this,” she murmured into his chest.

“I hope you do, because I’m not planning on making this a one-time deal princess,” he answered honestly.

“Neither was I.”

“Are you hungry?” he asked with a smirk when he heard her stomach growl.

“Yes. Feed me?”

“It would be my pleasure. What do you fancy eating?”

“Chocolate chip pancakes?” she asked and batted her eyes, as if he would have denied her request if she hadn’t.

“Look at you, you little vixen, batting your lashes to manipulate me,” he laughed. “I’ll make you your pancakes, but first I want a kiss.”

Buffy jumped out of the bed and into the bathroom before he could even get out a ‘hey’ and he chuckled when he realized she was brushing her teeth. Two minutes later she ran back into the room and jumped on top of him, pressing her now mint-smelling lips against his.

“Hey now, that’s not fair, you’re all fresh and m’not.”

“You can use my toothbrush if you want, but I don’t have an extra one. And all’s fair in love and pancakes,” she said with a giggle.

“Won’t that gross you out? Your toothbrush in someone else’s mouth I mean.”

“I guess if I hadn’t spent the night with my tongue in your mouth and yours in mine I might, just rinse it afterwards and we’ll be fine…doofus.”

“Oi, I’ve got feelings I’ll have you know!”

“You’ve also got pancakes to make, so get your sweet ass outta’ bed mister.”

She laughed while he muttered something about ‘bossy bints’ under his breath and went to brush his teeth in the bathroom across the hall, while she went to pull out the ingredients for the pancakes in the kitchen.

When he came downstairs it was to a pouting Buffy, “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t have pancake batter,” she faux-sniffled and he couldn’t help but smile and shake his head. “Do you have flour and sugar and what not?”

“Ya, why?”

“You do realize pancakes can be made from those ingredients right? They don’t have to come from a box.”

“They do when I make them,” she countered with a happy smile that showed exactly how much she wanted those chocolaty treats.

“Aren’t you supposed to be good in the kitchen?” he teased.

“Aren’t you supposed to be out working the fields?” she retorted and was rewarded with a bright smile.

“Nah, that would make me even more muscular and irresistible, I’d have to date everyone and then our time together would have to be scheduled in…”

He earned an eye roll and a swat to his ass, “I get it Mr. Egotistical, now feed me!”

“Jesus woman, I’m working as hard as I can.”

As if to show her just how hard he was working every few seconds he’d sigh as he mixed the batter he’d prepared while she went to work cutting up some fresh fruit – at least that she could do.
When Spike had begun to flip the pancakes Buffy set the table, noting how nice it looked set for two instead of one – which was one of the reasons she ate in the living room while reading often times.

She must have been zoned out because the next thing she knew Spike had the pancakes stacked on a plate with syrup next to it on the middle of the table, next to the fruit salad she’d made.

“Thank you so much,” her happy voice breaking the small span of silence, quickly followed by a moan of delight brought on by biting into the fluffy and moist breakfast he’d made.

“These are soooo good!”

He smiled shyly, “Thank you, you’re fruit salad is good too princess”.

She smiled, “Maybe, but that’s not cooking, that’s chopping and throwing chunks into a bowl, me and cooking are un-mixy things,” she admitted with a smile.

Before he even had time to think about the powerful statement he was about to make it flew from his mouth, “I’ll make you breakfast everyday if you’d like”.

Her fork stopped in midair, the silly smile she wore frozen in place, his look of shock just as frozen.

“I would like that,” she answered, a small blush tingeing her cheeks and the horror he’d felt just seconds before dissipated into a rush of warmth, “Really?”

She nodded, “Really…but I’m going to get fat so you’ll have to deal with that buddy”.

“I would deal with a lot more than some weight gain Buffy…”

“Would you?” she asked, searching his eyes for honesty and promptly finding it there, “You would, wouldn’t you?”

“Of course,” he answered, sounding as though she was crazy for thinking otherwise.

After a moment she looked into his deep blue eyes, “So would I”.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=34962