Unexpected Universe : Miles To Go Before I Sleep by Passion4Spike
Summary:



A continuation of the AU Unexpected. While Spike and Bess are on a mission with Angel, Buffy and Annie find themselves embroiled in a life and death struggle in a Sunnydale that is far from home.  Most of their friends are dead; those that remain have changed so much as to be nearly unrecognizable. Can they be trusted to help Buffy and Annie get back home or will they use the opportunity to escape the hell they've been living in and leave the Slayer and her daughter to languish in a dimension ruled by demons? As Buffy tries to keep her daughter safe, she must put her trust in someone - that someone is Spike, but he's changed too.





Warnings for sexual situations, character death, angst, Spike/Other Male (not graphic), attempted rape, threesomes including Buffy and Spike.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Action, Angst, Horror, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Buffy/Other, Character Death, Sexual Situations, Spike/Other, Violence
Challenges:
Series: Unexpected Universe by Passion4Spike
Chapters: 57 Completed: Yes Word count: 390275 Read: 190367 Published: 04/08/2012 Updated: 10/06/2012

1. Red Solo Cup, Part 1 by Passion4Spike

2. Red Solo Cup, Part 2 by Passion4Spike

3. Gift-less by Passion4Spike

4. Night Prowler by Passion4Spike

5. Faithfully by Passion4Spike

6. Beggars and Choosers by Passion4Spike

7. Love The One You're With by Passion4Spike

8. S&M by Passion4Spike

9. King of Anything, Part 1 by Passion4Spike

10. King of Anything, Part 2 by Passion4Spike

11. You and Tequila (Make Me Crazy) by Passion4Spike

12. Helpless by Passion4Spike

13. Jealous Guy by Passion4Spike

14. Stairway to Heaven by Passion4Spike

15. Octopussy by Passion4Spike

16. Stand by Passion4Spike

17. Hurt by Passion4Spike

18. Why by Passion4Spike

19. Fear by Passion4Spike

20. The Way Things Might Have Been by Passion4Spike

21. Promises, Promises by Passion4Spike

22. One Fine Wire by Passion4Spike

23. Dancing in the Moonlight, Part 1 by Passion4Spike

24. Dancing in the Moonlight, Part 2 by Passion4Spike

25. Without You by Passion4Spike

26. Run by Passion4Spike

27. World Domination by Passion4Spike

28. Bad Day by Passion4Spike

29. Land of Confusion by Passion4Spike

30. Regrets by Passion4Spike

31. Bittersweet Symphony by Passion4Spike

32. Reunited by Passion4Spike

33. If I Knew Then by Passion4Spike

34. I Knew I Loved You by Passion4Spike

35. My Sacrifice by Passion4Spike

36. I Believe In You by Passion4Spike

37. Wash It All Away, Part 1 by Passion4Spike

38. Wash It All Away, Part 2 by Passion4Spike

39. Fix You by Passion4Spike

40. Fallen by Passion4Spike

41. Anticipation by Passion4Spike

42. Big Boy Toys by Passion4Spike

43. What No One Else Can Do by Passion4Spike

44. Puppy Love by Passion4Spike

45. Bromance by Passion4Spike

46. Stuck in the Middle With You by Passion4Spike

47. My Old Friend by Passion4Spike

48. Homeward Bound by Passion4Spike

49. I'll Be There for You by Passion4Spike

50. Fortune Favors the Brave by Passion4Spike

51. Pale Blue Dot, Part 1 by Passion4Spike

52. Pale Blue Dot, Part 2 by Passion4Spike

53. Turn, Turn, Turn by Passion4Spike

54. Harvest Moon by Passion4Spike

55. Moondance by Passion4Spike

56. Photograph by Passion4Spike

57. Miles To Go by Passion4Spike

Red Solo Cup, Part 1 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Let’s have a party!!
**
Music Referenced:
Red Solo Cup, Toby Keith, http://youtu.be/BKZqGJONH68
**
ScreenCaps courtesy of ScreenCap Paradise: http://www.screencap-paradise.com/?cat=3
**
Thanks to PaganBaby for her help with the Spanish Inquisition and Spike's adventure at Wal-Mart. To Capella42 for massive help making the summary flow and make sense and for great suggestions in the other sections, as well. She also pointed out that I was summarizing too much throughout this story and she was so right! Big thanks to her for that epiphany, despite the massive re-writes it spurred. Thanks also to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter and to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections and final review. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
History:

Weckerly's:
Elizabeth Anne, "Buffy" Summers was born January 19th, 1981.
William Wesley Weckerly, "Spike" was born August 20, 1852 to Anne and Henry of Clapham, England. Father died in 1856. Turned by Dru in 1880 1890. First came to Sunnydale in September, 1997.
Spike and Buffy were married in February 1999, a few days before birth of first daughter.
Anne Joyce, "Annie" ("Niblett") was born on February 14th, 1999.
The twins, Danielle Dawn, "Dani" ("Lemon Drop") and William Rupert, "Billy" (or "Junior") were born on February 12th, 2004.
MacKenzie Verity, " 'Kenzie" ("Testarosa") Weckerly was born October 9th, 2010.
Elizabeth Anne "Bess" ("Buttercup") Weckerly, created from Hallie/Cecily's vengeance wish as a clone of Dani, was born in 1887. Called as a Slayer in 1900. Turned August 1901. Reunited with biological parents in 2010 after living entire unlife imprisoned by the Council, who restored her soul.

Others:
Edmond “Eddie” Giles Rosenberg-Maclay was born March 11, 2010.
Joshua Jacheal "JJ" ("Whelp") Harris was born on April 21st, 2004.

Other milestones:
All the Potentials were endowed with full Slayer power in February 2003.
Buffy and Spike learned of the other dimensions and got the memories from the 'Evil Joss' Universe in May, 2003.
The ‘Wish-World’ lasted from January 19th, 2005 to January, 16th 2010.


**~**



Catching up with the gang:
 
Since Spike’s victory over the Pele fire demon in the ‘no holds barred’ demon championship and his subsequent recovery from the fear that he could no longer control his demon, things had been going well for the Weckerlys and all the Scoobies, for that matter.

 

Bess was still practicing and getting better at Algebra and had also started learning Geometry with long-distance help from Willow and some computer programs that Annie installed for her. Everyone had their own computers now – that was such a relief! Annie helped Bess find her way around the blasted contraption and also installed a ‘learn to type’ program ‘cos ‘hunt and peck’ really wasn’t working for Bess. The Slayer-vamp was hopeful that she’d feel confident enough to take the next GED class when it started in June and then maybe even try some college courses. As far as her love life was concerned, Troy was still around, in fact, Bess was happy to call him her ‘boyfriend’ – her steady boyfriend. He was her first.
 
Bess had her own motorcycle now. It was an older model Suzuki (she couldn’t afford a Harley) that she’d bought with the money from the Council that Buffy had saved for her while she was gone. Despite that, Bess was happy to ride with Troy on his bike as they explored the southern California countryside a few evenings a week. She savored the feel of his body against hers as the wind whipped by and the road rumbled noisily under them; Troy had no complaints, either. After just dating and flirting and doing a ‘normal’ courting dance, they had come full circle and made love, this time with feelings attached. She wouldn’t say that she loved him, but there were definitely feelings attached now. It was a start.
 
Since he couldn’t understand why she couldn’t go out in the daylight with him any longer, she finally had to come clean. She’d been terribly nervous about telling him the truth of her, so afraid that this would ruin everything they had, but she knew not telling him would be worse. One night, as they sat together in one of her favorite spots, a grassy hilltop that overlooked the ocean, she’d told him about just exactly who and what she was, as well as about her family. Naturally, Troy was a little freaked by the whole thing …
 
“You’re a vampire … and a Vampire Slayer…” he’d repeated slowly, looking at her to find the glint of teasing in her blue eyes. But her eyes were trained on the cool grass beneath them. Her face was a serious as he’d ever seen her.

 

Bess nodded. “Vampires are real. My dad’s a vampire … my mom’s a Slayer,” she explained again. She'd already said this all twice. She'd had a speech prepared and rehearsed. She'd gone through it once very quickly, when he just stared at her, dumbfounded, she did it all again. This was the third time she'd said this to him.
 
“So that makes you a cross between a vampire and a Slayer…” Troy inferred. “And … your brother and sisters are too?”
 
“No … that’s not …” Bess looked up at him finally, shaking her head, her blue eyes imploring him to understand. So much for her well-designed and much fretted over speech. “The vampire part came after the Slayer. 'Slayer' can get passed down … like blue eyes, but not the vampire part. You get made into a vampire by another vampire; it’s not in your DNA.”
 
“Oh … so … your dad made you a vampire later?”
 
“No! Not Dad … another vampire,” Bess shook her head again. She didn’t want to get into all that old stuff with him. It was … too much. Maybe one day, but not today. “I was Called … I was the Slayer. I lost a fight with a vampire and he turned me – not Dad,” she answered, giving him a truthful if very abridged version of her life.
 
“So, you drink … blood? Like in the movies?” Troy asked.
 
Bess nodded, dropping her eyes again and avoiding his gaze. “Pig’s blood … not humans.”
 
“So, you’re like those Twilight dudes … a vegetarian?” Troy posited.
 
Bess frowned and looked back up at him with confusion. “I don’t know what that means,” she admitted. “But I’m not a vegetarian – pigs are … animals, not vegetables.”
 
“Right. You know, we should probably go to a movie or something one night instead of dancing and riding … well – uhhh … never mind,” he stammered. He loved dancing and exploring with her and what inevitably followed … more dancing and exploring – in private.
 
“I won’t hurt you, if that’s what you’re worried about,” she offered shyly.
 
Troy nodded thoughtfully as he stared out at the moonlight glinting off the ocean, but didn’t say anything.
 
Bess stole a glance through her bangs at him but couldn’t really read his expression. He was serious, that was for certain, but what was he thinking? Was he gonna run screaming from the hill or just take her home and never call again? She suddenly felt a fool for telling him the truth … she should’ve said she’d developed an allergy to the sun and let it go at that. Tears stung her eyes; she was sure she’d made a horrible mistake.
 
“It kind of makes sense – the Hellmouth and stuff,” he finally said, looking over at her and meeting her gaze. “With all the rumors about buried civilizations here in this area, now I understand why. It’s kind of … cool.”
 
Bess’ brows shot up. “It is? So you’re not going to … avoid me?”

“Might avoid your father,” Troy admitted a little sheepishly. “H-he isn’t going to bite me is he?”


“For what?”


“For…you know…us being—“


“’Cos he knows we’re sleeping together?” she asked, tilting her head to the side and studying him.


“You told him?!” Troy exclaimed, his eyes widening in horror.
 
“No … not with words. But … vampires have this smelling thing… I’m sure he knows.”


“Oh God…” Troy groaned, rubbing his eyes.


“Don’t worry about it. He might talk to you … but … I don’t think he’ll, you know, hurt you.”
 
Troy gaped at her. “You don’t think?!”


Bess make an ‘eeeek’ face. “Maybe you should hold onto Angelpie when you’re at the house. He wouldn’t attack you with a kitten in your hands … the kids would kill him if he hurt Angelpie.”
 
When Troy just stared at her, she shook her head and smiled reassuringly at him. “Don’t worry – honestly, he won’t hurt you,” she vowed. She was pretty sure Spike wouldn’t actually hurt Troy – after all, he hadn’t tracked him down yet.
 
Troy had finally relaxed and nodded, but decided to heed her advice – he and Angelpie would be best buddies, at least until he was sure.

 

Bess and Angelpie shared patrol duties with Faith. The fur-ball had stopped growing and was staying a half-grown kitten. She hadn’t changed at all since Philadelphia. Hmmm, could that have something to do with Wanda’s healing touch? Angelpie still regularly drew Spike’s wrath over something she’d done, but the little spit-fire didn’t let him faze her. She knew she was adorable and that Spike was completely outnumbered in his agitation with her antics. Angelpie had taken to their new home quickly and still enjoyed patrolling with Bess and riding in her new saddlebag, which Bess had set up for her on the Suzuki. On those occasions when the kitten couldn’t go, that was still fine, because there were plenty of other adoring fans at home for her to play with. Even Miss Kitty Fantastico had taken a bit of a shine to her – sometimes.
 
Bess kept in touch with Sue-Ann, who was back in Cleveland now. The girls were looking forward to seeing each other this summer when the first small, test-run of a ‘Supernatural Olympics’ was set to take place in Sunnydale. Buffy was still working on finding some suitable venues for the numerous events they wanted to have, including swimming, as well as kick-boxing, fencing, and track and field events. They were also planning some team events, like soccer (or football, depending on where you came from) and basketball.
 
Regrettably, not all the Slayers could come. There were a couple of reasons for this; foremost, the logistics and cost to house, feed, and transport so many girls. Also, having all the Slayers in the world in one place at one time would leave them open for a massive attack, which could wipe out the entire line with one well-placed bomb. Still, Buffy was hopeful they could make an annual event of it. It would give the girls some fun as well as a chance to meet Slayers from around the world and build camaraderie. Everybody could enjoy showing off their skills, at least within their small fraternity of peers, and get a sense of being part of something larger. They no longer stood alone; that was an important concept for them to grasp.

 

Faith continued her ‘catch and release’ way of life as she struggled to find the thing she felt was missing from her life – true love. She complained to Buffy about the lack of ‘true love’ material guys in this town. All the good ones were taken or gay, she complained so often that it was now a running joke. If they were together and saw a potential ‘true love’ candidate, they’d guess which he was before Faith talked to him. Most of the time Faith was right, they were one or the other, or both. However, Buffy noticed that, despite not actually needing any legal advice from Lindsey, he continued to call the house on a regular basis. And somehow he usually called when Faith was on ‘telephone duty’ and everyone else was gone or asleep. Funny that. Faith didn’t seem to notice that she could talk to him for two hours and not even blink an eye. Despite their now comfortable existence, Buffy was still glad that she wasn’t paying the phone bill for those calls from Nepal.
 
Buffy had finally kept her appointment with the patent lawyer in Huntington Beach and he had filed the necessary paperwork to get the trade name ‘Scrunchie’ and the actual invention patented and trademarked in her name. They were just waiting on confirmation back from the US Office of Patent and Trademark on it and she’d be ready to start her own Scrunchie empire. Buffy decided to skip over the little shops in Sunnydale and go for the big guns. Her first stop would be Bentonville, AR, the home of Wal-Mart. As soon as everything was finalized, she would make an appointment with a buyer there and go present her product to them. If Wal-Mart picked it up, she was sure to be crowned the Scrunchie queen of the world … or at least the USA, in short order.

 

Xander was still working nights at the Bronze as a bartender; his days were spent at Council headquarters fixing and rebuilding stuff the girls tore down. Anya worked fulltime at the Magic Box and part time as the CFO for the Council. For the work she’d done securing government grants, Giles gave her a raise and finally the Harris’ financial woes were starting to fade. Xander appreciated the offer from Spike and Buffy of the money Buffy felt she ‘owed’ them to make things ‘right’. But, in the end, he was glad he’d declined it. Being able to climb out of the financial hole he and Anya were in without any help from their friends proved that they could make it. He knew that life was going to hand them all sorts of crap, but now he also knew that when it did, he and Anya could stand on their own feet and climb out of the manure pile. Even Anya had to agree that making the American dream a reality was rewarding. Personal gratification notwithstanding, Anya would’ve still taken the money from Buffy … but whatever.
 
Giles and Wes worked hard to get the World Safety Council organized properly. They had to identify and retrieve newly Called Slayers and work on their training and Slayer related education. Following Bess’ advice, they encouraged them to live with their families, if at all possible, during their first year of training as a Slayer. More Watchers had been recruited and they had a team that spent time strictly with newly Called Slayers. These specialized ‘Slayers-in-Training’ Watchers traveled to the new Slayer’s hometown and offered their support during the often confusing and challenging first year. After that, Slayers were assigned to squads. If possible, they were kept close to their homes and families and encouraged to stay in school while continuing their training and sharing Slayer duties with the rest of their outfit.
 
Of course, every Slayer and situation was different. Giles and Wes, along with the rest of the CGC, tried to create rules that allowed for individuality while still forming a cohesive army that could spring into action at a moment’s notice.

 

Olivia continued to divide her time between London and Sunnydale. She and Giles had settled into a comfortable life which included time together and some time apart – time to be a couple and time to be on their own. That seemed to be working for them. The time apart gave them the freedom that they’d grown accustomed to as single adults while the time together gave them the closeness that they’d been missing. They both adored Edmond and got along famously with Willow and Tara. When Olivia was in town, the couple would often travel up north to Washington to visit them.

 

Willow and Tara were still doing well both financially and as a couple. Having Eddie brought them even closer together, if that was possible. They would alternate trips down to Sunnydale with Giles’ trips up north, often coming down on long holiday weekends. They’d even begun talking about having another baby. Tara insisted that it was Willow’s turn. Willow still remembered what Tara went through a little too clearly to jump right in on that bandwagon just yet.
 
The mystery surrounding a second Gem of Amarra remained unsolved. Willow and Annie were both still working on decoding and translating the book that they were sure held the key to creating a Gem. This task was excruciatingly slow and frustrating for everyone. They had made little headway on that front. The key to decoding the demon language the book was written in remained elusive. Willow and Tara were also continuing to track down the possibility that there was another Gem of Amarra somewhere in the world, just waiting to be discovered.
 
Spike, of course, now had the one Gem in their possession; Bess was the one left in the dark without it. So, Spike had been working on this problem, too. He made a point of ‘interviewing’ new demonic arrivals in SunnyD to see if anyone had any information about the existence of a second Gem, so far, no joy. Well, the ‘interviews’ were a source of devilish enjoyment for Spike, but they hadn’t brought him any closer to another Gem than Willow, Tara or Annie were.
 
Spike had quit his job at The Fish Bowl back in January. Since then, he and Buffy shared the duties of driving the kids to all their practices and they both attended all their in-school and after-school functions. Spike even went so far as to attend a couple more PTA meetings, but that proved to be just a bit more than his patience for ineptitude could handle, so he deferred those back to Buffy. Spike was over the moon with his new role as ‘house husband’ and stay-at-home-dad, but watching the Disney Channel and Barney videos all day was starting to take a toll on him. When Spike got to the point that he knew an episode of Hannah Montana was a rerun, he started to worry. When he started humming along to the songs, he panicked; sure that his Big Bad image was getting horribly tarnished.

 

Even though he hadn’t even given his boss at The Fish Bowl even a two hour notice, there had been no hard feelings. Spike and his money were still welcome at the bar on the docks. The bleached blond began spending two or three nights a week there. He found playing cards and shooting darts, along with the occasional demon brawl, took the edge off watching ‘kid friendly’ TV all day and kept his image as The Big Bad around the demon community firmly intact. Call it a hobby, everyone needed a hobby. Buffy was happy to have him out from under her feet for a few hours, too, so it was a win-win.
 
Don’t take that wrong, though. Spike loved being a dad. Before, Spike had missed so many precious moments with the kids – moments that he could never get back. Now he was making up for lost time. He loved being there when the kids got home from school. He loved spending the day with MacKenzie, who was growing by leaps and bounds and actually seemed to recognize him as her father, not some odd uncle who stopped in for an occasional hug. He loved helping the older kids with their homework. He loved going to the park, kicking the football around with Dani and discussing books with Billy and working with Annie on her languages and everything in between.
 
This was what he’d fought for. This was the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

 

**~**
 
Friday, February 18th, 2011:
 
This weekend was one of those long holiday weekends that Willow, Tara, and Eddie came down to visit their extended family. It was also the ‘Big Party’; a combination of mortgage burning and family birthday party for Annie, Dani, and Billy, as well as Buffy and Spike’s anniversary. Anya had legitimized all the money that Spike won and Buffy had finally paid off the very last bill they had – the mortgage. So that, along with all the February birthdays and their wedding anniversary, called for a special celebration.
 
The party was actually tomorrow, Saturday evening, but today was kind of a pre-celebratory celebration for the women in the Slayer’s circle of friends. It was ‘get pampered at the day spa’ day. Willow and Tara came down early for it and joined Buffy, Anya, and Faith as they all headed to a spa up the coast for a full day of mimosas, facials, massages, hot rocks, and mud baths, leaving the men in charge of Sunnydale.
 
Spike was getting Dani, Billy, and JJ their after-school snack when the phone rang. After setting their sandwiches on the table, he picked it up just before the answering machine came on.
 
“Dad!” came Annie’s panicked voice on the other end. “Where’s Mom? She’s not answering her phone!”
 
“You know all the girls went on their ‘testosterone-free’ day t’day, pet,” Spike reminded her. “What’s wrong?”
 
Annie sighed in exasperation. “They all went? Aunt Anya … Faith?”
 
“Yeah … all the girls,” Spike confirmed. “What’s the matter?”
 
“What about Bess … she didn’t go, right? Is she there?” Annie pressed on.
 
Spike sighed. He couldn’t figure out why all the kids automatically asked for Buffy when they needed help. He was their father! The Big Bad protector of the family! Buffy’s bloody hero – their family’s hero – Buffy told him so herself! But could the kids just once call and ask him to help? Nooooo… he was always second choice, it seemed. Spike should know to be careful what he wished for.
 
“Yeah, but she’s sleeping – didn’t get in ‘til dawn this morning. What the bloody hell is wrong?” Spike asked again.
 
“Can’t you wake her up – it’s really important and … I just … Can you wake her up, please?” Annie begged.
 
“No, I will not wake her up. Tell me what the bloody hell is so important. What’s wrong with you, Niblett? Did that boy … what did he do?” Spike demanded, his agitation growing.
 
That afternoon, Annie was supposed to be working on a school project at the library with her partner, Johnny Martin. Spike met him at Annie’s school earlier in the week – he was the same git he’d seen Annie dancing with a few months back at that school dance. Oh, the boy had been polite enough, answering with ‘yes, sir’ and ‘no, sir’ when Spike spoke to him. Spike might not have labeled him a ‘git’ if his first born hadn’t turned into a puddle of gooey, melting chocolate at the sight of the little bastard.

 

Annie sighed again. “He didn’t do anything … I just … Dad, pleeaase …”
 
“Anne Joyce, tell me what the bloody hell’s the matter or I’ll come down there and yank a knot in that boy’s tail,” Spike threatened.
 
Spike was met with silence … and heavy sighs … and more silence… “I’m not gonna wait much longer,” he advised.
 
Another heavy sigh filled the ear piece. “Fine,” she acquiesced grudgingly. “Here’s the thing … I … uhhh … well … you know that thing … that thing that … uhhh … well … that thing that girls do?”
 
“Drive their fathers crazy?” Spike wondered. He could feel her eyes roll over the phone line.
 
“No – that thing … with the … uhhh … blood,” Annie tried to explain.
 
Spike’s brows shot up. “You’re hurt? Bleeding? How badly? Where exactly are you?” he asked, now panicked himself. “I’ll be right there!”
 
“No … not that kind of blood … blood like … you know … that girls do … you know … menstruation kind of blood,” Annie finally stammered out.
 
“Menstr…” Spike started, his brows furrowed. “Yeah … heard tell of it.”
 
“Yeah, well … it’s like … not just a theory anymore and I … uhhh … well … my pants are soaked with it and I didn’t realize it and now … I’m like … stuck in the bathroom at the library and I don’t know what to do.”
 
“I thought your mum had this talk with you … birds and bees and … table dances and the like,” Spike pointed out.
 
“Oh, yeah – she totally did, but … well, talking and doing are like two different things. That’s why I wanted to talk to Mom or … Bess. Can’t you please wake Bess up?” she asked again.
 
“No, I’m not waking her up. I’ll come get ya,” Spike offered.
 
“No! No … I have to finish this project today with Johnny or we’ll get marked down for being late! I need … can you please bring me some new clothes and …”
 
“And?” Spike prodded when she didn’t continue.
 
Annie sighed. “Some pads?”
 
“Pads …” Spike mumbled, brows furrowed in thought. “Right … sanitary napkins. Uhhh … there should be a machine there in the ladies room with stuff like that in it, pet.”
 
“There is but it only has tampons and I …” Annie let out a huff of air and pressed her eyes tightly closed. “I just don’t think I can … I’d just rather have a pad,” she explained.
 
“Wait – how do you know what kind of machines are in the ladies’ room?” she asked after what he said sunk in.
 
Spike rolled his eyes and laughed. “Mighta been in one or two in m’ life, Niblett.”
 
“Please don’t tell me that story, ok?”
 
Spike laughed again. “Right – no ladies’ room stories. Ok, stay put and I’ll be there shortly, yeah? No worries, pet. We got this under control. Don’t need your mum.”
 
Annie sighed heavily, again. “As if I could go anywhere,” she mumbled more to herself than him. “Get my jeans with the white embroidered flowers on the back pockets – not the ones with the white stitching on the seams, ‘cos they don’t fit right … and some underwear, too, ok?”
 
“Right – white posies, no worries – be there in a bit.”
 
“Please hurry,” Annie begged him as she sat in the bathroom stall talking to her father on her cell phone about things that she really didn’t want to talk to him about.
 
Spike hung up and went up to her room to find said jeans. Now, if you were jeans with white flowers embroidered on the back pockets that belonged to a pre-teen girl, where would you be? In the drawer? No. Hanging in the closet? No. In the dirty laundry basket? No. In the clean laundry basket? No. In the pile of clothes on the beanbag chair in the corner, on the very bottom, the last place you looked? Of course.
 
Finally sure he had the right jeans, he started for underwear. That was easier to find – there was a whole drawer full of them. He hoped they all fit, picked out a pink pair and headed out of her room with his prizes. In the bathroom he searched every drawer and shelf for some sanitary napkins; he thought Buffy had some here somewhere that she used after MacKenzie was born. Where the bloody hell are they? Not in the bathroom – obviously; all he could find were tampons. He tried their bedroom – no luck there either. Spike sighed and rolled his eyes. Bloody brilliant.
 
With all the kids loaded up in Vader, Spike headed for Wal-Mart. Hoisting MacKenzie in her car carrier, with Dani, Billy, and JJ in tow, the ‘house husband’ and ‘stay at home dad’ headed bravely into the wonderful world of feminine hygiene products.
 
Spike took a deep breath and gathered his courage as he and his entourage approached aisle seven. He’d never been down this aisle, even shopping with Buffy he’d managed to avoid it like the plague. Spike walked down the aisle once, then back, then stopped in the middle and simply stood and stared at the plethora of products that he had to choose from. The kids gathered on one end of the aisle where lots of small, colorful packages made their home and rattled off questions for him.
 
“What are these for?”
“Can we have some?”
“What does l-u-b-r-i-c-a-n-t spell?”
“This is a pretty purple and pink box … what does it mean, ‘KY In-ten … Intense’?”
“What’s ‘Arousal Gel’? Maybe that’s what Annie wants.”
“What does c-o-n-d-o-m spell? Do you think that’s what she needs?”
“Oh look! I saw this on TV! It tells if you’re gonna have a baby two weeks sooner! Is Annie gonna have a baby?”
 
“OI! Get away from there and stop reading the soddin’ labels! Whose brilliant idea was it to teach you lot to read, anyway? Half the bloody world can’t read, seem to get on just fine…
 
“Isn’t there a sweets aisle here somewhere? Go find some candy,” he instructed them, waving a hand as if to shoo them away. They all squealed happily and scampered off to the candy aisle together.
 
Finally alone, Spike started searching for what he needed, but the more he searched, the more confused he got. Should he get panty liners or ultra-thin or regular or maxi? And then there was the ‘ultra-thin maxi’ … huh? Should he get winged, flexi-wings, revolutionary wings, or un-winged? ‘Breathable’? ‘Duo-action’? ‘Dri-weave’? ‘Cottony soft’? ‘Seven layers’? ‘LeakGuard’?  The ones for ‘active women’ … are there any for sedated women? The ones that fold up and are ‘the discreet way to carry your pad’? Were generic pads just as good as the name brands? And what of all the different package colors? Did those have some special meaning? Did they all have to be so nauseatingly bright and cheerful?

 

“Oh, bloody hell…” he moaned as he studied the overwhelming selection and scratched his head. Who knew there were so many bloody choices for a soddin’ sanitary napkin? He shoulda brought a cart with him.
 
Spike pulled out his cell phone and hit the speed-dial.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Harris, what do ya know about sanitary napkins?” Spike asked without preamble.
 
“Spike? Is that you? What kind of wacked-out question is that?”
 
Spike sighed. “Yeah, it’s me. What do you know about feminine hygiene products?”
 
“I know not to go down that aisle, don’t ask questions, and don’t flush them down the toilet or they stop up the drain and it costs five hundred dollars for Roto-Rooter to come clear it.”
 
“You’re a lotta bloody help.”
 
“Is there something you’ve been keeping from us, Spike? Awwww … our wittle Spikey’s gettin’ all growed up,” Xander teased in a baby-talk voice. “Started your period, huh? I understand chocolate and Midol help.”
 
“Sod off, Harris.”
 
“Sodding off … good luck with that!” Xander laughed before disconnecting.
 
Spike rolled his eyes and let out another sigh as he put his phone up.
 
“Right then,” Spike spoke to the wall of brightly colored, plastic wrapped confusion. “Let’s be logical, yeah? Don’t expect the girl needs t’ fly, so we’ll rule out the wings. Don’t need her smelling too good, so, we’ll rule out the ‘fresh scent’ and deodorant ones. Don’t reckon that area needs bloody Aloe Vera, ain’t got a soddin’ sunburn there, we’ll rule that out. She ain’t that big, so … no maxi, no long, no super long,” Spike continued the elimination round.

 

“Cottony soft might not be bad … although seven layers, that sounds like it’d be right soft. Hmmm… I got no bloody idea what ‘duo-action’ or ‘active gel’ is.”
 
Spike let out a frustrated breath and looked down at the baby. “See what you have t’ look forward to, pet?”
 
MacKenzie only laughed at him. Spike rolled his eyes. He was a hundred and fifty-some years old, lived in a house full of women and still things about them remained a complete and utter mystery to him.
 
“You laugh now, but when it happens to you, you better hope your mum’s home,” he grumbled to the baby.
 
Finally, he decided to just use the shotgun approach. He picked out some panty liners, a package of ultra-thin ones and one with seven layers, then, as an afterthought, added the one that ‘wicked away moisture’ too. One of them oughta work.
 
He held the stack of slick, garish, plastic-wrapped hygiene products in one hand, pressing his chin down on the top to keep them from toppling out of his grasp. With his choices secure, he picked MacKenzie’s carrier back up with the other hand and headed out towards the candy aisle to retrieve the children. Annie was gonna kill him. It had been at least half an hour since she’d called – at least and he still had to check-out and get to the library.
 
“Let’s go!” he ordered the bits that were scurrying around the candy aisle like, well, kids in a candy aisle. “Pick one thing and c’mon.”
 
“One?!?” they all whined, their hands full of various candy bars and bags of sweets.
 
“Bloody hell – just bring what ya got and let’s go! Get something for the Niblett … chocolate,” he instructed. A pre-teen with PMS waiting in the loo for her father to bring her feminine pads and clean clothes … hmmm, better make it, “Big … no, make that supersized chocolate,” he amended.
 
Billy held up a giant Hershey’s chocolate bar and Spike nodded. “Right then – we’re off!”

 

And they were off … down the main aisle of Wal-Mart – three seven year olds trailing behind a man carrying a baby and an armful of sanitary napkins. All he needed now was a sign on his back that said, ‘Love’s Bitch’ as he walked the walk of shame to the cash register. He was met with amused smiles from the women he passed and sympathetic looks from most of the men. Oh yes, this was his gold at the end of the rainbow … bloody fool’s gold.
 
He only prayed he didn’t run into anyone he knew.
 
If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans or just go ahead and send one of those hopeful prayers up to the heavens. God has a strange sense of humor.
 
“Spike!” a voice called from a side aisle he passed. Spike rolled his eyes and slowed down.
 
“Clement,” he greeted his friend apprehensively, not turning around.
 
“Hey, man! Getting supplies for the party? I got some of these Sun Chips and Baked Lays. Have you tried them? They’re like … healthy or something so I … I mean, we can eat even more. Pretty cool, huh?” Clem rattled as he walked up to the blond vamp.

 

“Not exactly shoppin’ for the party just now, Clem – Niblett’s in a bit of a pickle,” Spike began. “Sorry I can’t chat … gotta run.”
 
“Oh, is she ok? Is there anything I can…” Clem stopped mid-sentence when he got close to Spike. “Are those …”
 
“Yeah, they are. Shut your gob.”
 
Clem shook his head and pulled a clawed finger across his lips. “So, what did you do to piss the Slayer off this time?”
 
“Nothing – she’s outta town, you nit! You tell one bloody soul ‘bout this I’ll serve your brains as scrapple at the soddin’ party,” Spike threatened.
 
Clem waved a hand dismissively. “Tell? Who would I tell? And – hey there’s nothing wrong with a guy buying … four kinds of …”
 
Spike cocked an angry brow at him and Clem stopped talking. “Who would I tell?” he asked again with an innocent shrug.
 
Spike rolled his eyes. “Gotta go. See ya tomorrow, Clement.”
 
“Right – tell Annie I said ‘hi’!” Clem called brightly as Spike and his entourage finally made it to the checkout line.
 
Spike sighed as he dumped his selections onto the conveyor belt at the cash register and the kids poured all their candy up there too. The girl ringing him up suppressed a giggle, making him miss the days when they wrapped such things in plain brown paper. Talk about doing a complete one-eighty on the packaging! The only thing that could’ve made them better is if they were actually wrapped in bright, flashing neon lights.

 

After a bit of fanfare sorting the candy into separate bags, one for each child, they were thankfully heading out of the store. Now came the fun part.
 
**~**
 
Annie stared at the cell phone in her hand. Had she really talked to her dad about that? She rolled her eyes and shook her head in disbelief. It was embarrassing as hell, but she had to give him credit, he’d taken it well. There was no freak out on his part, not yet, at least.
 
She looked at the time on the phone and frowned. Where was he? How could it take so long to just grab a couple of things? And he complained about how long it took her and her mom to get out of the house? Seriously? Johnny must be thinking that she ditched him; left him to do the whole project on his own.
 
She shifted impatiently on the toilet seat. Her butt was starting to go numb. It had been at least forty-five minutes now, maybe longer. If heavy sighs and eye rolls could grant wishes, she would’ve had it made; as it was, they only made the time drag by more slowly.
 
Frustrated, she kicked the door. It echoed loudly in the tiled room but she didn’t feel any better. Her stomach hurt, or more accurately, the area below her stomach. She wrapped her arms around her torso and tried to get the ache to stop. This was crazy! Her mom forgot to mention that little tidbit in their talk.
 
She sighed for the hundredth time and her head slumped forward. She should’ve just tried the tampons, she knew it. It was the sensible thing to do – obviously women use them all the time. But she really wasn’t comfortable trying to shove a wad of cotton in a cardboard tube up in a place that she didn’t even know existed before a few months ago, regardless of its claim to have an ‘easy-glide applicator’. What if it got halfway in and got stuck? What if it went too far? What if it got lost in there? What if the string broke … how would you get it back out?
 
When her mom had explained the ‘becoming a woman’ thingy, she hadn’t mentioned how awkward it would be. How humiliated she would feel. How she would be willing to kill for a chocolate bar.
 
Someone entered the lavatory; she heard clacking sounds of heels marching resolutely towards the stalls. Great, company. Just what she needed.
 
**~**
 
At the library, Spike tentatively knocked on the door of the ladies’ room and then slowly pushed it open. His emergency delivery included two bags of pads and another bag with Annie’s clothes in it. There was a woman washing her hands at the sink and she gave him a look that might’ve killed a human.
 
“This is the ladies room!” the woman informed him indignantly.
 
“Yeah, I know … sorry,” Spike apologized. “Jus’ looking for m’ girl.”
 
“You aren’t allowed in here,” she continued sternly.
 
“Right – ‘cos you don’t want us blokes to see how clean and posh your bathroom is compared to ours. See, you even have a bloody couch in here,” Spike retorted, motioning his head at the long, upholstered seat against one wall. “I know all your secrets. No worries, I won’t tell the rest of mankind the truth of it.”
 
“DAD!” Annie called from the far end of the room. “God! What took you so long!?”
 
“See … told ya – just looking for m’ girl,” he smirked at the woman who continued to stare daggers at him as he stepped into the room and let the door fall closed behind him.

 

“You aren’t supposed to be in here!” Annie admonished him from behind the stall door.
 
“Oh, right! And how do you suppose I could bring you this … stuff?” he asked indignantly, dropping the bags to the floor and sliding them under the door.
 
“You could’ve sent Dani in! Please get out!”
 
Spike snorted a sarcastic laugh. “Nothin’ in here I ain’t seen before, pet. Plus – you got doors on all your stalls – not like the men’s room where everyone just pisses out in the open. I don’t see the big bloody deal – afraid a man’ll hear ya pee?”
 
“Dad!” Annie growled between clenched teeth. “Get. Out.”
 
“Ta ever so for comin’ to m’ rescue,” Spike chided her.
 
“Thank you.” Annie replied hastily. “Now. Get. Out.”
 
Spike rolled his eyes and started out of the room.  “Oh, almost forgot – Clem said to tell you ‘hi’.”
 
“Clem? You didn’t bring Clem with you, did you? You didn’t tell him about … this, did you!?” Annie exclaimed in horror.
 
“I … uhhh … no,” Spike stammered. “Didn’t … bring him along – mighta run into him at the store.”
 
“And you told him these were for me!? Dad! How could you?” Annie moaned. “God, tell the whole world, why don’t you?”
 
“There’s nothing wrong with havin’ your cycle, pet,” Spike defended. “It’s a natural part o’ life, part of growing up.” Spike only wished it had waited until she was older. Would hoping the hormones didn’t kick in until she was thirty have been too much to ask?
 
“Yeah, one that the whole world now knows I have,” she agreed forlornly.
 
Spike could hear her rummaging through the bags he’d brought. The woman at the sink huffed indignantly and continued to scowl at him, her arms now crossed over her chest. She seemed determined to stay and chaperone his girl.
 
“Wait! What is all this? How many did you bring!? I can’t go out there with all these! Wait outside! Don’t go away,” Annie pleaded as she took inventory of what he’d brought.

 

“At your service, milady,” Spike replied sarcastically as he sauntered back towards the door. Spike gave the chaperone his most charming smile as he passed by. The woman only glared at him more unpleasantly, if that was possible. Spike wondered if he was losing his touch with the fairer sex. That look usually had them swooning. Bugger.
 
After a few minutes, Annie emerged from the restroom, her clean clothes on and her soiled ones stuffed in one of the bags, along with all the extra pads that he’d brought.
 
She walked over to where Spike and the kids were in the children’s section of the library and wordlessly held the bags out to him.
 
“Right, all set then?” he asked as he looked up from ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ book he was reading to MacKenzie.
 
“Yeah, I think so. Why did you get so many? I don’t need that many, do I?” she asked with concern.
 
Spike shrugged. “Don’t reckon so. Just wasn’t sure which one you wanted … got a selection.”
 
Annie took a deep breath and looked around the library. “Johnny must think I fell in…”
 
“Git didn’t come t’ check on ya?” Spike asked, cocking a brow.

 

Annie swallowed. “No … he’s probably … you know, working on the project and didn’t realize how long I was gone.”
 
“Uh-huh … sounds like a bloody inconsiderate poof, t’ me, pet. Best to be rid o’ him soon as ya can,” Spike advised her.
 
Annie rolled her eyes. “Not everyone’s like you, Dad.”
 
“They are if they care or got a lick o’ sense,” Spike pointed out.
 
Annie shrugged. “I guess…”
 
Spike pursed his lips but didn’t say anything more. It wasn’t like she was marrying the wanker. She’s twelve! he reminded himself. “Here – gotcha something else,” he changed subjects and handed her the giant sized Hershey’s bar.
 
Annie’s eyes went wide as she took it from him. “How did you know I totally needed chocolate?”
 
Spike wondered when she didn’t need chocolate. It was part of her DNA, after all.  “‘Cos I care, pet.”
 
“Daaad,” she sighed. “Thank you – I love you. You saved my life,” she offered sincerely, giving him a hug.
 
“Yeah, well – superhero and all … it’s what I do.”

 
**~**
 
Later that night, Buffy lay in Spike’s arms and sighed contentedly. It had been a wonderful day with her friends at the spa being all pampered, but she was happy to get home, all the same. Annie had told her what happened at the library and Buffy promised to get her some girl-sized tampons if she wanted to try them, assuaging her fears regarding the mysterious devices.
 
Spike ran his fingertips lightly up and down his wife’s freshly exfoliated arm as she cuddled against his side. She closed her eyes, and sighed lightly, the memory of their lovemaking still fresh in her mind and tingling through her body.
 
“Why do sanitary napkins need wings?” Spike asked out of the blue. “And what exactly is ‘active gel’?”

 

Buffy furrowed her brow and looked up at him with confusion. That wasn’t his typical post-coital topic of conversation. The question sounded so strange it was like he’d just spoken Chinese to her and it took a minute for her brain to process it.
 
Finally, Buffy laughed and laid her head back on his shoulder. “Those are very carefully guarded womanly secrets and, if I told you, I’d have to kill you.”
 
“That’s what I reckoned.”
 
**~**
 
Saturday, February 19th, 2011:


At the urging of Anya, who’d loved their trip to Hawai’i despite not meeting Alex O'Loughlin, the ‘mortgage burning/birthday/anniversary party’ at the mansion was themed as a Hawaiian luau. There were fruity, tropical drinks spiked with rum and decorated with the little umbrellas, colorful paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling of the great room, and everyone was dressed in bright tropical colors. Even Spike had caved in and was wearing a loose shirt abundantly printed with floral patterns in red, blue, and green. Silk-flower leis adorned everyone’s necks and grass skirts hung over their legs and swished when they walked or danced. Even the beer bottles had donned grass skirts and the cake looked like a tropical paradise they could almost dive into.

 

There was, of course, a limbo contest and Bess won it, although Annie, Buffy, and Faith gave her a run for her money. The men were knocked out of the competition fairly early. Spike made the longest run among the males, while Giles dropped out first, complaining quietly about age and stiff backs. Even Clem made it a few inches lower than the Watcher turned shop-keeper. It was quite disheartening and Giles thought perhaps he should look into joining a gym at the first opportunity.

 

Getting knocked out of the competition early wasn’t all bad for the male contingent, however. For most of the contest they simply stood by, cheering and commenting loudly on the flexibility the ladies displayed, particularly Faith and Buffy. Although Troy enjoyed watching Bess show off, even he had to admit that he might’ve been a bit hasty calling Faith ‘ma’am’.
 
Unable to actually roast a pig in the ground like Anya wanted to do, they settled for Hawaiian pizzas and spicy wings from Little Italy to go along with Clem’s ‘healthy’ snacks. It wasn’t strictly Hawaiian, but … whatever.
 
After they’d eaten, everyone gathered around Buffy and Spike in the great room. The pair stood in front of the fireplace holding the thankfully, finally paid off mortgage in their hands. Well, actually, it was a copy, since Anya pointed out that burning the original was probably a bad idea.
 
Buffy smiled widely as she stood next to Spike and faced their friends and family. “For the record, I just want to say how proud I am of Spike,” she beamed at him.
 
“Despite the fact that I probably would’ve chosen a different path to get here, the fact remains that he’s the one that walked through the fire – literally, and lifted us out of that bottomless pit of debt. As of now, we are completely debt free.”
 
Buffy looked at Anya. “And you aren’t gonna blow what’s left of our money in the stock market. Right?”
 
“Correct,” Anya agreed with a firm nod. “You are well diversified across the most lucrative asset classes for these economic conditions with a substantial portion of your funds in disappointingly low paying, but safe … assuming the FDIC insurance can be counted on, CDs,” Anya assured her – again.
 
Buffy smiled and nodded like Anya had actually spoken English. Buffy took a deep breath as she looked at all their friends gathered around them, then turned to face Spike. “Twelve years ago we promised to be each other’s faithful and equal partners, we promised to love unconditionally and believe in each other, to honor and respect and cherish each other.
 
“We’ve both stumbled over some rocks in the road, but in the end we’ve always worked it out through the good times and the bad and we’ve laughed together and cried together and shared it all – happy and sad.

 

“We don’t always do things right, and we both have just a smidge too much stubborn pride, but I know you love me and I love you so much, Spike. What you did for us, for our family was one of the … stupidest, most stubborn and idiotic things you've ever done,” Buffy asserted, giving him a stern look.
 
Spike ducked his head shamefully and rubbed a hand on the back of his neck.
 
Buffy’s look softened as she added, “And I love you for it.”
 
Spike peeked at her from behind his thick lashes and gave her a shy smile. “Yeah?”
 
“Yeah,” she confirmed as she leaned in and dropped a soft kiss on his lips.
 
“I love you, Buffy,” Spike murmured to her as she pulled back from the kiss. Buffy met his eyes with hers and held his gaze for several long moments. What was it about his eyes that made her feel so safe and loved? She wasn’t sure, but she knew she wanted to keep seeing it for a very, very long time.
 
Buffy cleared her throat, finally pulling her gaze away from him as she turned back to their audience. “So, without further ado, I believe Spike’s earned the honor of burning this last remaining effigy of our life under the bill collector’s thumb.”
 
Buffy handed him the mortgage paper and Spike smirked as he lit one corner of it with his trusty silver Zippo. “Couldn’t a’ done it without you, pet,” Spike assured her as the flames began to lick at the edges of the paper.

 

When it was about halfway engulfed in flames, he tossed it into the fireplace with a flourish. Everyone clapped and cheered for their friends. Spike turned away from the burning paper and surveyed the group gathered there. When he first came to Sunnydale any one of her friends would’ve staked him if given half a chance. Now they were here, smiling, cheering: Giles, Wes, Xander, Anya, Faith, Tara and Willow. And mixed among them were the children; his children and his ‘nephews’. It made his heart swell to know that he was part of this slightly off-kilter extended family; accepted, respected, and even loved by them. And the feeling was mutual.
 
Spike drew Buffy into a tight hug and dropped a kiss on top of her head. Tears welled up in Buffy’s eyes as she wrapped her arms around him. They had overcome one of the hardest challenges any family could face. It hadn’t been easy and it hadn’t been fun, but by pulling together instead of pulling apart, even when things were bad, they’d done it.
 
“I’ll always be love’s bitch, but I wouldn’t have it any other way,” he murmured into her ear. Buffy chuckled lightly against his chest. Leave it to Spike to pull a smile out of her tears.

 


continued ... too long for one chapter...
End Notes:
continued ...
Red Solo Cup, Part 2 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Continued from previous chapter ....
Continued ...

**~**
 
Finally the kids got to open their presents and blow out the candles. Now everyone was crowded around the table, eating away at the Hawaiian cake. Laughter and merriment filled the room with a joyful atmosphere – everyone seemed to be talking at once. It was the utter chaos that the old house had grown to love over the years. Some mansions had opulence and visiting dignitaries or posh soirees and debutant balls; the mansion on Crawford Street had pandemonium.
 
“So, Troy,” Spike addressed Bess’ beau. “Glad you could make it t’night.”

 

“Thank you for the invitation, Mr. Weckerly,” Troy replied confidently. “It’s a good party – fun.” Troy had spoken to Spike a few times since Bess’ confession about the true nature of her family. At first he’d always made sure to scoop Angelpie up as soon as he came in the door, but nothing ever happened; her father had always been polite to him, so Troy had dropped that habit. Bess had been right about her dad, after all.
 
“Yeah, we have a spot o’ fun now and again ‘round here. Ya know, I been meanin’ t’ talk to you,” Spike replied in a conversational tone. The vamp slapped his hand down on the larger man’s shoulder like an old friend and guided him away from the group.
 
“Spike! Where are you going with my date?” Bess questioned when she saw them walking away.
 
“No worries, pet. Won’t bite him or anything, just a friendly chat,” Spike assured her.
 
“So, Troy,” Spike began again as he settled the young man into a chair near the fireplace. Spike positioned himself on the coffee table in front of Troy, towering over his ‘Inquistee’. “Buffy tells me you’re at university. How’s that going for ya, then?”
 
“Oh – great!” Troy enthused. “I’m having a blast.”
 
“Are ya, now? Not sure that’s really the point of university. How are your grades?”
 
“Oh, mostly As and Bs … one C,” Troy admitted. “I truly hate Calculus.”
 
“As do we all,” Spike sympathized with a knowing nod. “Got a job?”
 
“Yes, sir. I work part time at the Sunnydale Museum, cataloging artifacts and helping to set up exhibits. And I have a full scholarship in wrestling,” Troy explained before taking a bite of the birthday cake that he’d brought with him.
 
“So I’ve heard,” Spike muttered half under his breath as he turned his head and cocked a brow at Bess. She was standing off to one side several feet away, but Spike knew she could hear the conversation. Bess rolled her eyes and shook her head.
 
“And this subject you’re studyin’, Anthropology and Archeology, is it?” Spike continued, looking back at the young man.
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
“Just what sorta career you figure on getting with that degree?” Spike wondered.
 
“Oh – well, what I’d really like to do is uncover artifacts that shed some light on the cultures that were here before our modern society. There are rumors of lost treasures and buried civilizations due to multiple earthquakes in the Sunnydale area in particular. I’d love to be the one to find them,” Troy beamed.
 
“So, fancy yourself the next Indiana Jones, then?”


 
“Oh … uh, well … maybe without the bull whip or fear of snakes,” Troy admitted with a small shrug. “Those were my favorite movies growing up, Indy was my hero. But, don’t get me wrong! I know real life isn’t like that. It takes a lot of hard work, but hard work doesn’t scare me.
 
“Like my grandfather always says, ‘He lawai'a no ke kai papa'u, he pokole ke aho; he lawai'a no ke kai hohonu he loa ke aho.’”
 
Spike cocked a questioning brow at the young man.
 
“It translates literally as, ‘a fisherman of shallow seas uses only a short line; a fisherman of the deep sea uses a long line.’ It means that you can reach as far as you prepare yourself to reach. I’m preparing myself to reach my goals, which I know may seem idealistic or out of reach, but with hard work I believe I can succeed,” Troy explained earnestly.
 
Spike nodded thoughtfully, as if he was buying it. That bollocks, he supposed, had been practiced and delivered to more than one girl’s father over the years. Time to turn up the heat.
 
“Don’t believe I’ve seen lots of adverts in the paper for treasure hunters. How do you intend t’ live while you do all this working and reachin’ for your pot o’ gold?”
 
Troy shrugged. “I don’t mind working on digs managed by other people. Even the Peace Corps and the World Health Organization hire anthropologists to teach their volunteers how to fit into the societies they’re trying to support. I don’t mind hard work – I’ve got a strong back.”
 
Spike cocked his brow again and looked at Bess. She responded by folding her arms over her chest and rolling her eyes – again.
 
Spike looked back at Troy and switched gears on him, firing up the burner on the hot-seat even higher. “So, just what would a wrestler with a strong back’s intentions be with regard to m’ girl?”
 
Troy swallowed the cake that was in mouth with a hard gulp and nearly choked on it, coughing slightly to try and clear his throat. “Intentions, sir?”
 
“Intentions. You do know the meaning of the word, yeah? Being in university and all.”
 
“Yeah, of course, I … but … uhhh … I’m not sure I have any intentions, sir,” Troy stammered.
 
“All gits have intentions,” Spike asserted. “I bloody well hope you aren’t intending on running off and gettin’ hitched!”

 

“Hitched?!” Troy croaked, his voice raising several octaves above his normal baritone. “I … uhhh … hadn’t really … we haven’t known each other that…”
 
“Oh, planning on breakin’ her heart then, are ya?” Spike interrupted, boring his gaze into the younger man's like daggers.
 
Troy frowned and shook his head vigorously. “No, sir!”
 
“Maybe you’re just stringing the townie along. Planning on flyin’ off t’ chase treasures when you’re done with ‘er. That it?” Spike wondered, narrowing his eyes suspiciously.
 
“No…no, sir. I wouldn’t …”
 
“You’ve been seeing a lot o’ Bess lately,” Spike stated, interrupting Troy’s denial.
 
“Yes, sir,” Troy answered as if Spike had asked a question.
 
“Just how much o’ her have you seen, then?” Spike continued his inquisition, pursing his lips together as he studied the boy’s reaction. He could smell the adrenaline pumping, hear the git’s heart thundering in his chest and see a layer of perspiration appear on the boy’s forehead. Wouldn’t take much more to have him at a nice, hot rolling boil.
 
Troy started coughing violently at that. Spike picked his drink up off the floor where he’d set it down and handed it to the young man. Troy took it thankfully and swallowed several deep gulps of the fruity liquid that was spiked with rum.

 

“We … uuhhh … go out three or four times a week,” Troy offered after getting his windpipe cleared.

Spike nodded. “Not what I asked.”
 
“She really likes to dance. We go to the Bronze a lot,” Troy tried.
 
Spike nodded again. “Still not what I asked. Are you certain you get As and Bs at university? You don’t seem to understand the Queen’s English. Seems simple enough t’ me.”
 
“Daaad! What are you doing?” Bess demanded as she walked purposefully up to the two men. Maybe she should’ve sent Billy to find Angelpie, just in case.
 
Troy looked up at her, his sparkling, aquamarine eyes pleading for some form of rescue. He hadn’t expected the Spanish Inquisition tonight.
 
“Nothing, pet. Just having a little conversation,” Spike answered congenially.
 
“Yeah, I can tell – that’s why my boyfriend’s eyes are bulging out, his heart’s racing, and he looks like he’s about to faint,” Bess retorted.
 
“Boyfriend now, is it? A minute ago he was your date,” Spike pointed out.
 
“Yeah, well … he’s my boyfriend who is also my date,” Bess asserted. “Just what was the question that he can’t answer?” she asked, as if she hadn’t heard it from across the room.
 
“Just curious how much o’ you he’s seen,” Spike repeated, finally looking up at her.
 
“Oh. Well that’s easy. He’s seen all of me – well the outsides, anyway. That strong back and all those hard muscles just make me want to drop my clothes and have sex with him every time we’re together. In fact, I thought I’d take him up to my room when you’re done with your ‘conversation’ and have my wicked way with him. Anything else you want to know?” Bess wondered. She folded her arms across her chest belligerently, tilted her head to the side and gave Spike an innocent smile.
 
Troy thought he might actually pass out as he looked between the two blondes who were staring each other down. He wasn’t sure if her father was gonna kill him or her or both of them.
 
Finally, after what seemed an eternity to the dark-haired young man, Spike shrugged nonchalantly and smiled. “Well, glad the git’s keepin’ ya happy, then.”
 
Spike looked back at the wrestler, who was quite a lot larger than the vamp, but at the moment seemed like a small bug waiting to be crushed. Spike stood up and clamped a hand down on Troy’s upper arm, gripping tightly around the young man’s bulging deltoid muscle. Spike began to squeeze until he was sure Troy had no doubt that he was serious, then he leaned down near his ear.  “Don’t hurt her. She’s a special girl, deserves your honesty, your respect. Deserves t’ be treated like a lady. Ain’t something to be used and tossed away without a thought, ya got me?”
 
Troy nodded his agreement, squirming under Spike’s grip. “Yes… yes, sir.”
 
“Right, then. Have another drink ‘fore you go upstairs, you’ll do better. Ya look a bit parched t’ me,” Spike advised as he straightened. He loosened his grip and then patted his hand down on the young man’s shoulder again like they were old friends. The vamp picked up his red Solo cup, which Troy had emptied, and strolled away from the pair, back towards the bar for a tropical drink refill.

 

“Holy shit…” Troy swore, looking up at Bess as he rubbed his arm, which he was sure would be black and blue by morning. “Your old man’s scary!”
 
“Don’t worry,” Bess assured him. “He acts all Big Bad, but really, he’s a pussy cat.”
 
Troy looked at Spike’s retreating back and swallowed hard. “Yeah, right. In a man-eating lion sorta way.”
 
Bess laughed lightly and looked back at Spike. Her father had picked up the baby and was lifting her high in the air and flying her around above his head as she squealed in delight. Billy was pulling on the hem of his shirt, wanting to tell him something and Dani was begging him to fly her around too. Annie and Buffy walked up to him and started talking about the chocolate volcano cake that Anya had made in homage to the Harris’ trip to Hawai’i.  
 
Buffy’s eyes met Bess’ across the room and she held a piece of the cake up, pointing at it with her fork. “Scrummy!” she called to Bess, widening her eyes and smiling enthusiastically.

 

Bess nodded her understanding and Buffy turned her attention back to Spike and the other kids as she took another bite of chocolaty volcano goodness.
 
Bess’ eyes got a bit misty and she shook her head as she watched her family laughing and talking and making new, joyful memories. It was just like Wanda promised her it would be. Like a maple tree drops its brittle leaves in the fall and grows fresh ones in the spring, Bess felt another frighteningly dark and painful memory lose its hold on her heart to make way for this bright, loving one to take its place.
 
“No … he’s really not,” she assured Troy. “He’s my dad. He just worries about me – he loves me. He loves us all a lot.”

**~**

{{Click here to hear Red Solo Cup by Toby Keith on YouTube  }}



Now, red Solo cup is the best receptacle
For barbecues, tailgates, fairs, and festivals
And you, sir, do not have a pair of testicles
If you prefer drinkin' from glass

Hey, red Solo cup is cheap and disposable
in fourteen years, they are decomposable
And unlike my home, they are not foreclosable
Freddy Mac, can kiss my ass

Whoo!

Red Solo cup
I fill you up
Let's have a party
Let's have a party

I love you, red Solo cup
I lift you up
Proceed to party
Proceed to party

Now, I really love how you're easy to stack
But I really hate how you're easy to crack
'Cause when beer runs down in front of my pack
Well, that, my friends, is quite yucky

But I have to admit that the ladies get smitten
Admirin' at how sharply my first name is written
On you with a Sharpie when I get to hittin'
On them to help me get lucky

Red Solo cup
I fill you up
Let's have a party
Let's have a party

I love you, red Solo cup
I lift you up
Proceed to party
Proceed to party

Now, I've seen you in blue and I've seen you in yellow
But only you, red, will do for this fellow
'Cause you are the Abbot to my Costello
And you are the Fruit to my Loom

Red Solo cup, you're more than just plastic
You're more than amazing, you're more than fantastic
And believe me that I am not the least bit sarcastic
When I look at you and say

Red Solo cup, you're not just a cup
(No! No! No! God, no! )
You're my … you're my friend … friend
(Lifelong)
Thank you for being my friend

Red Solo cup
I fill you up
Let's have a party
Let's have a party

I love you, red Solo cup
I lift you up
Proceed to party
Proceed to party

End Notes:
TBC ... Ok, what happened to the angst? And more importantly, what happened to the promised threesomes?? heehee! All that will be along later, kiddies ... My muse is just getting warmed up, lulling you into a false sense of security. I promise we'll get to the heart of the story very soon!
Gift-less by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
In another dimension, another time, a decision is made and a new dimension spins off into the vast universe: the Gift-less Dimension. Back in the Unexpected Universe, the Council, and our heroes, are offered a mission for pay - substantial pay. Sounds good, but the universe, as always, is conspiring against them. There is never anything good given to them that doesn’t demand blood in return.
**
Reminder: In my world, crucial decision points can create new dimensions/universes as well as portals to them. Worlds split at some (usually major) decision points, with one dimension going with decision ‘A’ and one dimension following decision ‘B’.
Music Referenced: None
**
ScreenCaps courtesy of ScreenCap Paradise: http://www.screencap-paradise.com/?cat=3
**
Thanks to Capella42 for her great suggestions that made the chapter, and the whole story, better. Thanks also to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter and to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections and final review. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
(Ten years ago) May 2001, Sunnydale, Glory’s tower, “Evil Joss Dimension” (aka: Canon):

Dawn screamed above her on the rickety tower and Buffy’s head jerked up involuntarily, trying to see what was happening. The hell-god lay beaten at Buffy’s feet, now morphed into her human form of Ben. The Slayer rushed away from him, this fight was over – she had to get up the tower, up to Dawn.



For the first time in months the Slayer felt a small surge of hope burst forth in her heart. It felt like the weight of the world lifted off her shoulders in that moment. Finally they had won; they had defeated Glory, saved her sister and the world. It hadn’t been easy. In fact, it had been one of the hardest battles she’d ever waged, mentally, emotionally, and physically. But, with the help of her friends and Spike, she had finally done the impossible – defeated a god.

As she flew up the shaking tower, the biggest weight on her heart was knowing that, even though they could go home, her mom wouldn’t be there waiting. She still missed her every moment of every day, but she had Dawn and that’s what she had to concentrate on now. It’s what her mom would’ve wanted.



Giles knelt down next to the beaten and bloodied man whom he had once considered to be their … well, if not friend, then certainly not an enemy – an ally perhaps. “Can you move?” he asked sympathetically as Ben struggled to breathe through his bloodied nose and mouth.


“Need … a minute,” Ben stammered out. “She could’ve killed me.”

Giles shook his head slowly. “No, she couldn’t. Never. And, sooner or later, Glory will re-emerge and make Buffy pay for that mercy and the world with her. Buffy even knows that, and still she couldn’t take a human life. She’s a hero, you see,” Giles pointed out, smiling sadly at Ben.

“She’s not like us,” he added after a moment, but it wasn’t Giles any longer, it was Ripper. His gaze hardened and his mouth drew into a determined, grim line as he stared down at the beaten man. There was only one thing left to do, for Buffy, for Dawn, for the world.

“Us?” Ben questioned, his eyes widening with fear.


Giles reached a hand down and covered the human’s mouth and nose. The Watcher pressed down with all his strength, cutting off Ben’s oxygen supply and smothering him.




Looking down on Glory’s human vessel, a glimmer of pity rose in the Watcher, the gentler soul of Giles surfacing past the determined Ripper. Ben was a victim, controlled and suppressed by the hell-god. An innocent, just like Dawn, caught in the ruthless attempt of a power hungry bitch on her way to regain her former position and rank. Ben hadn’t chosen this fate; it was dumped on him, he’d had no choice.

Suddenly appalled with himself, Giles’ grip loosened slightly. Ben took a deep, shuddering breath and opened his eyes to look up at the Watcher, silently begging for mercy. Ben gulped hungrily at the oxygen that his body thirsted for, drinking it in like a parched desert would drink a blessed drop of rain. Giles closed his eyes, trying to get his nerve back, his determination back. He had to do this, for Buffy if for no other reason, he admonished himself.

Before he could summon his resolve again, the Watcher was thrown across the battleground. His body slammed into one of the shaky and tenuous legs of the tower that Glory’s crazy human minions had built and the whole thing swayed dangerously. Giles cried out, his voice masking the grotesque crunch of bone. The pain in his back was excruciating, but only for a moment, then it faded to nearly nothing. He tried to reach behind him as he slid down to the ground under the tower, but he couldn’t get his arm to work. Or the other arm. He tried to stand but his legs wouldn’t move either.



All he could do was look up and watch Glory pick her way deliberately through the debris towards him. She had the troll hammer gripped in her hands and a deadly, angry glint in her eyes. “You were right,” Glory informed Giles coldly. “I’m back.”

It was the last thing Giles ever heard as she slammed the hammer down on his skull. The last thought that flashed in his mind was for Buffy and Dawn, both now high up on the tower above him. He couldn’t help her now, he’d failed her; he’d failed the world.


I sincerely hope I didn’t leave dirty dishes in the sink. Funny what your mind conjures when you’re dying.

A bright flash of the portal opening drew Glory’s attention upwards. For a brief moment she stared up at the gateway, her heart lifted in absolute joy – she was nearly home! Otherworldly demons were flooding through the opening, both from her dimension and others. A giant bat flew through the portal and Glory squealed like a school-girl. She hadn’t been this giddy in so long she’d nearly forgotten what it felt like. It was even better than the time she found a pair Louboutins in her size at Bergdorf Goodman for half off!



The hell-god was so enthralled that she was only briefly aware of Doc plunging from the tower. Her faithful follower landed with a grisly crunch of bones and flesh on the ground not far from where the impertinent peroxide vampire lay unconscious, but she didn’t focus on them. There was something else holding her attention now: Dawn wasn’t alone on the tower – the Slayer was there too.



Glory’s eyes widened and she let out an ear piercing scream as she saw Buffy running towards the portal. That bitch Slayer was going to screw this up for her after all!

In an instant, Glory swung the troll hammer with all her godly strength at the base of the impoverished tower. The whole structure swayed like a drunken sailor and began listing dangerously to the left. She quickly hit it again and the tower dropped several feet, buckling in the middle and bending down like a pond bird snatching a small fish from the shallows. Glory dropped the hammer onto the ground and a satisfied smile curled her red lips. No one bested her twice.


The tower dropped out from under Buffy’s feet just as she pushed off the end – or tried to push off, but her feet hit nothing but thin air. Buffy faltered and her feet shot out from under her as she leapt off the end of the demonic high-dive. With no momentum to carry her away from the tower, she fell. Her arms flailed, trying to propel her forward into the portal, but it wasn’t enough. Her shins cracked loudly against the end of the steel gangplank before she tumbled head over heels towards the concrete below, completely missing the portal. She reached out towards the steel structure, but it was too far away – there was nothing she could do to stop the inevitable.




Everything seemed to move in slow motion while she tumbled towards the earth below. That weight that had been lifted from her suddenly crashed down on her like a wave of leaden misery. She realized with complete clarity that she had failed in her mission; failed Dawn, and failed the world. Her life flashed before her eyes: her dad running beside her as she rode her bicycle for the first time with no training wheels, her mom baking cookies at Christmastime, the day her parents brought Dawn home from the hospital, the day Merrick told her she was the Chosen One, the heartbreaking move from L.A. to Sunnydale and everything since.

It all seemed to race through her mind so quickly – too quickly. It wasn’t enough. It wasn’t nearly enough. It had all been leading to this moment in time, and it all ended here, in abject failure.

When Buffy hit on the concrete below the tower, her body pancaked unto itself and bounced several feet back up into the air before settling down again with a dull thud. She could actually feel every bone in her body fold and shatter, every organ explode within her.



It isn’t the fall that’ll get you, it’s the landing. Funny what your mind conjures when you’re dying.

Death was her gift, but she was leaving this world ‘gift-less’; the Slayer had faltered, she’d ultimately failed. For the briefest moment she thought she saw Spike reach out for her, call her name, but she couldn’t really focus through the pain. Then everything faded to a dull, lifeless grey and finally darkness descended on her like the sun sinking below the horizon for the last time.


Spike crawled over to Buffy, his body mangled, bleeding and broken, even as he heard Dawn screaming above him. He looked up to see the tower whipping back and forth like a delicate reed in a savage wind. Dawn was hanging on for dear life and the portal to hell continued to expand as her blood was strewn about. Demons of every description began spewing out of the gaping maw, but he had no thoughts of them, only of Buffy and of the promise he’d made to her to protect Dawn.



He struggled to his feet, then fell back down to one knee; his leg screamed in pain like it was broken, although he wasn’t sure. He pushed the pain away. Whatever it was, it would heal – later. Now he needed to get to Dawn. He pushed himself upright and took one staggering step and then another, but it wouldn’t be enough. The whole tower creaked loudly, like millions upon millions of rusty bolts being reluctantly turned in their moorings at once, and then it just gave way, crashing down and taking Dawn with it.

Spike saw it coming right at him. He instinctively turned and dove on top of Buffy to shield her from the falling debris. Protecting Buffy was a reflex; he didn’t realize that it was already too late for that. She no longer needed him to shield her from anything.

Over the din of the steel crashing around him, he heard screams, Dawn’s screams and others. Minions and Scoobies alike were caught in the avalanche of iron and steel, as if a demonic junkyard was falling from the sky. It seemed to last an eternity as he took the brunt of the punishment on his back and legs, trying to do all he could to keep the deadly girders off the Slayer. But he had no idea how long an eternity really was. He’d lived forever, it seemed, but he couldn’t comprehend the length and depth and width of an eternity until everything went silent.

Completely still. Deathly silent. No movement. No breath. No screams. No heartbeats. There was nothing. His entire world died in that moment.

“Oh, God, Buffy,” Spike moaned as he realized there was no heartbeat, there was no breath even from her.



He’d rarely been this close to the Slayer. Except for her fist connecting with his nose, he’d only felt her touch a few precious times. That day Red’s ‘will be done’ spell went wonky came to his mind. The gentle kiss she’d given him for standing up to Glory was another moment he’d treasure until the end of time.  But now here he was, next to her at last and it was too late. It was too late to hold her, to comfort her, to help her. It was too late to keep his word. He’d failed. He’d given his word to this lady who held his heart in her hands and he’d failed.

Tears came to his eyes unbidden. He couldn’t stop the sobs which wracked his body even as the demons continued to stream in from the open portal above him. It didn’t matter – the world could finally end.

What difference did it make now? He had no one to be a hero for. Buffy and Dawn were gone.

**~**

PRESENT DAY: Tuesday, April 12th, 2011, Unexpected Universe:
 
Angel stretched his legs out under the heavy oak table and let his gaze wander around the conference room in Council headquarters in Sunnydale. Buffy and Spike, along with the rest of the Council Governing Committee (aka: CGC) were all here. Fred had called this meeting on behalf of Angel and had specifically asked that Spike attend despite the fact that he wasn’t actually on the CGC. Two FBI agents stood at the very head of the table to Angel’s right. Buffy and Spike retreated to the other end of the long room, as far away from the broody vampire as they could get.

For Buffy, the fact that Angel wanted Spike to attend a meeting was cause for considerable concern. The fact that Spike actually came was even more shocking.

“… An American nuclear submarine has gone missing in the Bering Sea in international waters, about halfway between Alaska and Russia. The last transmission from the crew was three days ago,” the older of the agents told the group.

Buffy sized up the senior agent, guessing he was in his fifties. The nearly black hair of the man’s youth had salted with grey and lines crinkled around his eyes and lips when he talked. He wore a brown suit which was quite obviously ‘off the rack’. His tie looked like something Rodney Dangerfield would wear; it was too wide, 1970s wide, and sported three shades of orange in a paisley design. She mentally called him ‘Salt & Pepper’; she hadn’t actually caught either of their names.

“The Navy and Coast Guard have located the sub with a homing beacon that the crew engaged just after the radio transmissions ended,” he continued to drone flatly. “It’s under several thousand feet of sub-freezing, constantly churning water on the bottom of what may be the deadliest sea in the world.

“We’ve managed to kept the disappearance out of the news, but to say that time is of the essence would be a gross understatement … which is what brings us here today,” he continued. The agent’s dour frown seemed to age him another ten years within just a few minutes.



Buffy sighed heavily, crossing her arms over her chest in utter boredom. What did any of this have to do with them?


When the younger of the two FBI agents started pulling out visual aids in the form of charts and graphs to add to their long-winded tale of woe, Buffy sighed even louder, but they didn’t seem to notice her apathy. After listening to the men drone on about the geo-political implications of a missing nuclear sub for another five minutes, Buffy finally raised her hand. When they didn’t stop talking or recognize her, she stood up.

“Excuse me,” she began curtly. “I know this is beyond fascinating for you government types, but some of us actually have lives that we’d like to get back to before the world ends. Can you shorten this down to the Reader’s Digest version and tell us what any of this has to do with a southern California community outreach and enhancement organization?”

‘Salt & Pepper’ cleared his throat uncomfortably and looked at Angel for help. The older agent was apparently in charge of this shindig, but was obviously not very comfortable with veering far off his carefully planned, and excruciatingly boring, script.


Angel stood up and looked down the table at Buffy. “Bottom line?” the dark vampire asked.



“The bottomest of the bottom,” Buffy agreed, her arms folded tightly over her chest.

“The Navy sent an unmanned probe down – what they call an ‘AUV’. What they found is a monster that’s as big as the sub, wrapped around it with several octopus-type arms. From what they can see, the hull has already been crushed, so it’s a good bet the crew is lost. If it manages to destroy the nuclear reactor, it would be like setting off a nuclear bomb just off the coast,” Angel summarized as quickly as possible, well aware that Buffy had reached the end of her patience. He’d seen that look more than once in his unlife. “Bottom line: that would not be good.”

“The Loch Ness Monster is alive and well and vacationing off the coast of Alaska?” Buffy queried. “How did it get out of that lake in Ireland?”

“Scotland,” Giles corrected quietly. “And I don’t believe the Loch Ness Monster has arms like an octopus.”

“They’ve never seen anything like it before,” Angel informed her.

“We believe it may be demonic in nature,” the younger of the FBI agents offered. “Which is where your …uhhh … ‘community outreach organization’ comes in.”

Buffy sighed and looked up at the ceiling a moment, then leveled her gaze back on Angel. “So … we’re supposed to go fight some ginormous underwater monster with what? Stakes? Crossbows? Our good intentions? I’m sure the Navy has lots of fancy weapons they can use on it – what do they need me for?”

“Not you, Buffy,” Angel clarified, shifting his gaze to Spike and Bess, who sat side-by-side to her right. “They need someone who can withstand the pressure at that depth, who doesn’t have to breathe, who isn’t bothered by cold and someone whom exposure to a nuclear reactor won’t hurt.”

“Oh, bloody hell,” Spike moaned, rolling his eyes. “If you think I’m gettin’ on another soddin’ sub with the likes of you, you’re dafter than I thought.”


“Spiiike,” Angel groaned as if talking to a petulant child. “If you hadn’t been on that sub in the first place, I wouldn’t have had to go there,” he reminded his grand-childe. “Besides, they’re willing to pay.”

At that, Spike sat forward in his chair. “How much?”


“Oh no! Just hold on one minute!” Buffy started, putting one hand on Spike’s shoulder as if to hold him back and holding her other hand up to stop Angel from answering. “You want me to send Spike and Bess off to fight this thing when we don’t even know what it is or how to kill it?”



“We have video of it,” the younger FBI agent offered quickly. “The AUV sent it back before it got … well, you’ll see.”

The younger man seemed a little nervous, more than the older man, as he pulled out an iPad and queued up the video. At least he didn’t need a script to go by, that was a relief.

He was handsome enough, probably late twenties, with short dishwater blond hair – regulation short, Buffy assumed. He wore a well cut grey suit that was obviously not ‘off the rack’, in direct contrast to Salt & Pepper. He had a matching grey tie with just a hint of thin, lilac stripes running diagonally across it.  Frankly, he looked like he might’ve just stepped off the pages of “GQ”. Newbie, Buffy thought, and probably still living off his parents’ money.

“The pay would be substantial,” the elder agent said, confirming Angel’s pronouncement as the newbie fiddled with his gadget. “Seven figures if you can prevent the core from melting down. You have to stop the potential devastation of the ecosystem by getting the reactor back to the surface undamaged. In addition, the demon would need to be vanquished. We can ill afford further incidents like this one.”

“Seven to the left side of the decimal, yeah?” Spike questioned, cocking a brow at the man.


The elder agent smiled knowingly and nodded.

“US dollars … not Zimbabwe dollars or Mexican pesos or some rot like that?” Spike continued and received another affirmative nod.

“And just what might the first number in that long string o’ lovely numbers be, then?” Spike wondered.



“We were thinking of a middle range prime number. To be split amongst the three of you and the Council.”

“What does that mean?” Buffy asked looking at Spike.

Spike narrowed his eyes at the FBI agent for a moment and then looked at Buffy. “Five million … split four ways.”

“Five million?” Buffy’s eyes went wide. “That would be like … uhhh …”

“A million and a quarter … each,” Spike calculated for her.

“And, if this is successful, we’d consider putting your organization, as well as Angel Investigations, on retainer with an annual fee in the low six figures,” the elder agent explained further. “Compensation for each mission you complete, would, of course, be negotiated based on a risk/reward scale as well as level of difficulty.”

Buffy let all that sink in a minute as the younger agent slid his iPad down the table towards them. It sounded like they were judging a gymnastic event – a score for level of difficulty and execution. You fall off the balance beam and drop the nuclear reactor and they deduct one point from your score. Of course, everyone will be dead by then! She was not loving this.

Spike got the device situated so he, Bess, and Buffy could see it from their seats. Giles, Wes, and Faith got up and stood behind them.

“Are you sure this is demonic?” Buffy wondered. “It just looks like an overgrown octopus.”

“Keep watching,” the younger agent advised.

When the AUV found the creature’s head it paused there in its journey around the downed sub. The giant octopus appeared to be asleep, resting atop the submarine. However, when the probe came in for a closer look, it roused the sleeping monster. Two slits in the creature’s head opened to reveal enormous eyes. The irises were as red as a matador’s cape and likely as large and the purple colored pupils seemed to be electric; they glowed from within like a neon light. In the video, the size of the creature was hard to judge with nothing to really compare it to, but it appeared to cover the sub completely.

“Whoa,” Faith muttered as the underwater demon looked directly at the probe and opened a gaping maw full of thousands of thin, razor sharp teeth. In a blink of an eye, the creature sucked the AUV inside. Shortly after passing by those rows of teeth, the video went abruptly black.

“That AUV was approximately the size of a large man. It weighed several hundred pounds and was made from extremely thick steel to withstand the pressure at that depth. That ‘octopus’ just ate it like it was a piece of celery,” the elder agent explained. “We can’t send a torpedo down there and blow it up – we’d blow up the sub in the process.

“What we can do is send some more AUVs down to help. They could be used to distract the monster, draw its attention away from you. Maybe we could drop a net over it to try and keep it from lashing out or getting away. But, I’m afraid that to vanquish it, it will take hand-to-hand combat, harpoons, spear guns … although I don’t think stakes or crossbows would be advisable.”

“Could you give us a minute?” Buffy asked, looking at the two ‘febs’.

“Of course,” Salt & Pepper agreed, as the two suits exited the conference room, closing the door behind them.

“This is crazy – it’s too dangerous,” Buffy started before the door even closed completely. “And, what do we know about these guys … Angel?”

“Angel’s worked with ‘em before. Innit that right, Peaches?” Spike interjected before Angel could answer.

“Not these particular guys, but … yeah. They called themselves the Demon Research Initiative in the forties. Back then, they didn’t pay, they didn’t even ask, they told – do it or else,” Angel explained.

“The Demon Research Initiative? As in the Initiative that set up camp right here in Sunnydale and tried to kill us all?” Buffy asked incredulously.

Angel shrugged. “I don’t know if it’s the same … anyway, they don’t call themselves that anymore … they just said they’re with the FBI.”

“Oh, well – that’s different!” Buffy scoffed. “Of course, if they’re just with the FBI they must be perfectly trustworthy. And now they not only know about you, but you’ve led them to our doorstep, too. What a guy.”



“Buffy,” Angel groaned her name like she was an ill-tempered child.

“Don’t ‘Buffy’ me, Sporto! I’m not sixteen anymore – you can drop the holier-than-thou attitude,” Buffy chastised him. “Why did you bring them here?”

Angel closed his eyes and sighed heavily before opening them and meeting her angry gaze. “I need the money and … I don’t think I can beat that thing alone. I thought I was helping – thought the extra income wouldn’t hurt you either.”

“Ever the altruist,” Spike smirked. “What’s that catchy ditty ya got there at AI? ‘We trample the trollops’ or some rot like that? Why don’t ya go back and tend to that, then? We don’t need your soddin’ money,” the blond vamp informed his grand-sire with a smirk. Despite the fact that Spike would jump at the chance for that payday in a heartbeat, it was obvious that Buffy was against it, and it did his soul good to rub Angel’s face in the muck at any possible opportunity.

Angel glared at him wordlessly. He knew better than to egg Spike on too much; for whatever reason the people in Sunnydale thought he was some kind of hero or something. Xander even called him by his actual name now. The best Angel got from Xander Harris was being called ‘Dead Boy’ most of the time, regardless of the number of times Angel had saved his sorry ass – at least one of those times from Spike.

Giles cleared his throat loudly and everyone turned to him. “Not to be overly materialistic, but such a payday would go a long way towards funding numerous programs for the Slayers and Watchers in the field. We could provide additional training, enhanced weaponry, increased wages, housing … perhaps even health and dental insurance with those funds and the ongoing retainer fee.”

“Oh, well, in that case – sure!” Buffy replied sarcastically, waving her arms out dramatically. “Let the big sea monster eat my husband and my daughter, as long as I can get health insurance!”


“Don’t forget dental,” Faith interjected with a smirk.


“Buffy, you know very well that’s not what I meant,” Giles defended himself.



“Giles, all the money in the world is not worth this. This is my family you’re talking about. I’m not sacrificing them for dental!” Buffy insisted angrily.

Giles blew out a breath and held his hands up in surrender. “And I’m not suggesting that either. I’m simply saying the funds they’re offering could go a long way towards our mission of protecting the greater good of the world at large. That is what we’re here for, as I recall.”

Buffy sighed and rolled her eyes before leveling a determined gaze on Giles. “I don’t like it. I can’t even go with Spike and Bess. How do we know we can trust them? How do we know they won’t gather us all up and put us in cages to study like lab rats?”

“If they were gonna do that, they would’ve done it already,” Angel answered for the Watcher.

Buffy turned a steely gaze on her ex, her green eyes darkened to the color of slate and narrowed as she studied him. “Or leave them at the bottom of the ocean …” she suggested. Her voice was so hard that it came out as an accusation. What if Angel was really here looking for payback for the time he spent imprisoned under the waves?


Angel closed his eyes and took in a deep, exasperated breath, his hands balled into fists and his jaw clenched as he counted to ten … then twenty. After counting to fifty, he let the air out slowly and looked Buffy squarely in the eye, determined to keep his voice even and calm. “They need help – they’re willing to pay for it. They’re a bureaucratic, government agency. All they’re interested in is keeping the public from panicking, keeping the economy of the whole west coast from collapsing, and keeping world peace. All I want is a payday … money, cash, greenbacks, dinero. That’s it, Buffy. There’s no hidden agenda here. There’s no conspiracy.”



“And, they can print all the money they want to pay for it – they own the soddin’ printin’ press,” Spike interjected brightly, happy to see Buffy getting his grand-sire’s goat. “I think at least two million each wouldn’t be unreasonable compared to what bailing out the whole west coast would run.”

“I’m certain they’d be open to negotiation,” Giles agreed. “This isn’t a decision for the CGC, however. It’s completely up to Spike and Bess, as individuals, but I believe the long-term implications of such a windfall could propel the Council from disarray to ...”

“… the ‘Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous’?” Buffy interjected sarcastically, cutting him off.  Then, changing to an earnest tone she asked, “Is it just me or do you guys think Robin Leach is a demon?”

Nearly everyone in the meeting nodded and muttered quiet words of agreement. Giles rolled his eyes.

**~**

(Three days later), Friday, April, 15th, 2011:

Despite Buffy’s concerns and objections, Spike and Bess both wanted to join the submarine rescue mission with Angel. Buffy knew she could pressure Spike into not doing it, but she had no right to stop Bess. So, in the end, she decided she’d rather have Spike go with Bess than Bess go alone with Angel. At least Spike did have the Gem of Amarra; Bess had nothing but her Slayer and vampire strength and healing abilities. Spike and Bess could watch each other’s back; she didn’t trust Angel to watch anyone’s back but Angel’s.


The three vamps left from the military base south of town yesterday. They had flown out to an aircraft carrier via helicopter. From there they transferred to a smaller boat and were taken directly to the spot in the Bering Sea over the downed sub. Using their bond, Spike had kept in contact with Buffy nearly every hour to assure her that everything was alright. So far everything was going according to what the FBI agents had told them. To everyone’s relief there had been no surprises.



Spike contacted Buffy when they started their decent. Since neither Angel nor Bess had protection from the sun, they had to start before dawn. Even with heavy weights, it would take a good while, nearly three hours, to descend to the bottom of the ocean. The Navy had provided protective pressure suits and weapons for them along with masks that would allow them to speak to each other and to the crew on te surface. She ‘talked’ with Spike through the bond for nearly two and a half hours as he slowly made the descent with Angel and Bess.

Be careful … both of you, she admonished him, as she’d done so many times before.

It’s our middle name, pet, Spike assured her, as usual. I’ll let ya know as soon as it’s over, yeah?

Ok, baby … I love you, Buffy sent back to him. She knew that no matter how much she wanted to, she couldn’t communicate with him while they were battling the demon sea monster. She could endanger not only him, but Bess as well, if he lost his focus in the fight.

Love you more than you know, Buffy, Spike sent back and then he was gone. Their bond closed.

**~**

Buffy nervously flitted around the house cleaning things that didn’t need cleaning and organizing books that didn’t need organizing as she waited, and waited … and waited. She wanted so badly to contact Spike, but knew she couldn’t. She just had to wait.

Annie sat on the couch trying to get into her spring break reading assignment, ‘Alas, Babylon’, but her mother was making her crazy. “Hey,” Annie offered about mid-morning, giving up and putting the book down. “Why don’t we go check out those places you wanted to look at for the Slayer Olympics?”

Since Annie’s spring break had started a day earlier than Dani’s and Billy’s, she and MacKenzie were the only kids in the house just now.

Buffy smiled at her and nodded. “That’s a great idea! I’m going nuts here – I don’t do ‘wait’ well.”

“I hadn’t noticed.” Annie rolled her eyes and smiled. It wasn’t that Annie wasn’t worried too, but her dad had promised her tat he and Bess would be back within a week. For her, his promise was like a Midas Muffler guarantee, you could count on it.

“It’s been two hours! What could be taking them so long?” Buffy asked rhetorically as she went to get the baby from the playpen.

“They’re fine, Mom. You know Dad, he’s probably just playing with it or something,” Annie assured her.


Buffy laughed, imagining Spike taunting the large sea monster before slaying it. “How’d you get to be so smart?” she asked her daughter.



Annie laughed. “Dad says I get it from him.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “He’s so modest.”

Buffy, MacKenzie, and Annie headed out, taking the Blue Bomber to scope out a couple of venues Buffy was considering for the first ‘Supernatural Olympics’. Giles had given her the go-ahead to have the event this summer and she wasn’t wasting any time with the preparations. She didn’t want to give him the chance to change his mind.

While checking the locations, another hour dragged by. Still no word from Spike.



To pass a little more time and try to keep her mind occupied by something other than worry, Buffy pulled into the parking lot of a brand new ‘Green Grocer’ supermarket. It had just opened the previous week and was one of the city’s ‘reclamation’ projects. They had offered the abandoned land, which wasn’t far from downtown, at a substantial discount to any business willing to tear down the old warehouse building and bring new life to the area. Buffy had found that organic food stores sold many items that Dani could eat – foods that were milk-free – and this new store promised to have an even larger variety of goodies to choose from than the small health food store down by the Magic Box.

After forcing her mind to concentrate on milk-free shopping for another half an hour, Buffy was getting more and more worried about Spike and Bess. She still hadn’t heard a peep from him. It was driving her crazy … ok, crazier. Her stomach churned and roiled with nervous butterflies and she had to force herself to keep the bond closed and not contact him. With her mind a million, or at least several thousand, miles away, Buffy loaded the groceries into the back of the Bomber and began strapping MacKenzie into her carrier while Annie happily took the shopping buggy back to the buggy corral.



As Annie had done many times before when she’d gone shopping with her dad, she began running behind the cart, then jumped onto the back and rode it away from the minivan. She knew her mom would tell her not to do that. She knew this mostly because her dad always said, “Don’t tell your mum.” But her mom wasn’t looking.

Buffy had just climbed into the minivan and put the key into the ignition when she heard a horrible crash.

“Owwww!” Annie wailed in pain, tears already evident in the timbre of her voice.

Leaving the key still in the ignition and the door standing wide open, Buffy jumped out and rushed to the back of the minivan.  She saw Annie sprawled on the pavement; the shopping cart was lying on its side next to her.

“Mooom!” Annie cried as she sat up, holding her left forearm tightly with her right hand. Rivers of blood dripped from between her fingers, dripping on her legs and staining her jeans crimson.

“Oh my God,” Buffy muttered when she saw the blood. Buffy sprinted down the aisle between the parked cards, running towards her eldest daughter.



As Annie’s blood dripped onto the pavement, something strange began to happen. The blacktop began to shine and undulate like liquid mercury. After a moment, a golden light started to swirl under Annie. Within seconds it began to expand out in all directions. A portal was opening.

“Annie!!” Buffy screamed louder when she realized what was happening. Buffy had barely covered fifty of the hundred yards between them when Annie disappeared from view, swallowed by the portal.

“Mama!!” Annie called, her voice fading as if she was tumbling down a deep well.

Buffy threw herself onto the ground next to the edge of the portal and reached into it.  Her hands searched for Annie, but Buffy was met with only empty air below her fingers. She leaned her upper body down into the bright swirling light – Annie had to be there, she had to be right there. But she wasn’t. Annie was lying on her back in a sandy pit about twenty feet below Buffy. The girl was writhing in pain from the long fall, still holding the deep gash on her arm.

“Annie! Can you hear me?” Helplessly, Buffy stared down at her daughter. If she just jumped down there, she’d be trapped too.

“Mama! Mama!” Annie called back as tears of fear and pain ran down her cheeks and blood continued to flow from the cut on her arm.

“Annie! Stay there! Don’t move! I’m coming! I’ll get you!” Buffy assured her, her mind racing a million miles an hour. She needed a rope or a ladder or … something to get down there and get back up with.

She lifted her head out of the portal and looked around for something to use, scanning the parking lot frantically. What she wouldn’t give for a construction truck with ladders strapped to the top right about now. And, as if God had heard her prayer, there was one, not far away.

Buffy ducked her head back down into the portal. “I’m gonna get a ladder,” she yelled down to her frightened daughter. “Don’t move – I’ll be right back!”

As Buffy pulled back out of the portal she noticed the edge had begun to slowly recede now that the blood had stopped flowing onto it. Buffy jumped to her feet. She needed to hurry.

“NOOO! Don’t leave me!” Annie begged, panic rising in her voice as she looked up at the portal. Her throat tightened. She could see the edges of the opening drawing closed above her.

A long, shrill scream of horror emanating from the portal stopped Buffy in her tracks. She turned back quickly and dropped down to her knees next to the bright edge of the opening. Intent on assuring Annie that it would be alright, she leaned back into the bright, swirling light. That intent faded when Buffy looked down at her daughter. Her heart jumped to her throat and froze there.


Annie was screaming and crying and kicking her legs, trying to get away from a creature that had emerged from under the sand at the bottom of the pit. It could only be described as a giant doodlebug, easily six feet long and three feet wide with a chitinous, armored back. Large pincers on its head clacked together loudly as it waited at the bottom for its next meal to tumble down into its clutches.



Annie was scrambling, trying to climb up the side of the pit she’d fallen into. She wasn’t making any headway, however, as the sand under her hands and feet simply calved off. If anything, Annie was sliding down the incline. With each passing moment, her daughter was getting closer and closer to the large predator which had dug the sandy trap.

There was no time to think. No time to consider her other daughter, still in the minivan. No time to even contact Spike.

Buffy jumped.

The portal snapped closed behind her with a bright flash of light and a whirl of cold wind.

**~**
End Notes:
TBC .... Oh no!! What will Buffy and Annie face through the looking glass? How will they get away from the big, demon bug and get back home? What about Spike, Bess, and Angel with the sea monster? What about MacKenzie, left alone in the minivan? And what's happened over the last 10 years with Spike in the Gift-less universe? We'll find all that out over the next several chapters... Let the action begin!
Night Prowler by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike, Bess, and Angel are gone fighting the sea monster. Buffy’s attempts to keep busy, to try and keep her mind off her worry about her husband and daughter, turned into a nightmare for her and Annie. How bad will the nightmare get?
**
Music Referenced: Night Prowler, AC/DC http://youtu.be/8Qj372Bt1xw
**
ScreenCaps courtesy of ScreenCap Paradise: http://www.screencap-paradise.com/?cat=3
**
Thanks to Capella42 for her great suggestions that made the chapter, and the whole story, better. Thanks also to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter and to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
(Ten years ago) May 2001, Sunnydale, Glory’s tower, “Gift-less Dimension”:

 

Spike lay there with the Slayer, his Slayer, his dead Slayer. His own body was broken, bloodied, bruised and mangled, but still inexorably undead. Her body was now as cold as his, as cold as the steel girders that pressed against his back. Spike had been here a while. He didn’t really know how long and he didn’t really care; it didn't matter anymore. Nothing mattered anymore.

The sun had just colored the sky a violent crimson when the tower fell, now it was pitch black again. He could hear the cracking energy and feel the whipping wind of the portal above him, still open, still spewing demons from every dimension into this one.
 
He cursed the thick layer of debris for shielding him from the sun as it had passed across the sky. Dusting would’ve been so much easier than waking up. It would’ve been a blessing with no disguise. He didn’t think much of God, hadn’t actually talked to him in over a century. If not for taking the Dios’ name in vain, he wouldn’t have had any reason to utter His name since he’d met Dru.  He’d wondered at times if God wasn’t simply the Biggest Bad in the universe. The one that had beaten out all the other Big Bads for the job, the one with the most warped and sickly twisted sense of humor.
 
But just then, as he lay there with his crushed heart and shattered bones, he broke that long streak of silence between them. Spike prayed to the Biggest Bad for one of those demons to come by and take him out of his misery. To actually rip his unbeating heart from his ribcage rather than just having it feel like it had been. He’d never had a pain stab him so deeply before; not when Dru left him, not even the horror of his mother’s death had shredded his heart so completely as losing his Slayer.

 

Of course, that was the rub, wasn’t it? She wasn’t his Slayer at all, as much as he wished she was. He’d hoped that by standing by her, fighting at her side, by proving his loyalty and his love, that one day she would be his, but that day would never come now. He had let her down. He’d made a promise and had failed, and now it was too late for any of that. Not only was Buffy dead, but those dreams he'd harbored that one day she could see the man and not just the monster were dead, as well. Those long clung-to, and now shattered, dreams made this loss so much worse than any he’d felt before. That, and one undeniable fact: this was his fault.
 
And so now he prayed for one of these demons to rip his head off, dust him. Get it over with. But God, having that twisted sense of humor, did something else instead.
 
“Buffy?” It was barely a whisper. The voice was hoarse and frightened. The call of a child lost in the dark woods, afraid to cry out too loudly lest she attract a wolf. It seemed distant, many miles away.
 
For a moment, Spike thought he’d imagined it, but then he heard it again.
 
“Dawn!?” he called back as he began pushing the heavy steel beams and debris off his back. Every bone, every muscle, every cell in his body hurt – his hair hurt, but it didn’t matter. Dawn was out there, alive.
 
“Spike?” he heard Dawn’s tentative answer. Her voice trembled. “Where’s Buffy? Is she with you?”
 
“Hush now, Niblett, quiet!” he admonished her in a low voice. He had to get to her before one of the demons heard them and came looking. It was frightening how quickly his silent prayer changed. It was a whole new game now that he realized Dawn was out there, alive, alone, and vulnerable.
 
He looked down at Buffy one more time. This brave, beautiful Slayer, always so full of fire and light now lay still and silent beneath him, all her spark was gone. Despite knowing the brilliance that was Buffy no longer lived in this body, it still pained him to leave her here alone. But he’d made a promise to look after Dawn; a promise he would keep if it killed him.
 
“I’ll be back, luv,” Spike promised softly, caressing Buffy’s cheek gently with the pad of his thumb.
 
After considerable effort, Spike freed himself of the mangled remains of Glory’s tower.  His broken leg had already started to mend – still painful, but useable. Spike didn’t mind pain. There were times when pain was the only thing he had to prove that he still existed, and in this moment it seemed a fitting punishment for his failure.
 
He scrambled over the mish-mash of girders and ladders and junk searching for Dawn, trying to catch her scent. It seemed like he looked for hours, but it was actually only a few minutes before he found her.
 
“Dawn!” Spike called in a hushed exclamation when he caught the first glimpse of her. Relief crashed over him like a tidal wave – she really was alive, not some figment of his grief-stricken mind.
 
Dawn was half hidden under the debris but thankfully not crushed. Blood still trickled from the slashes Doc had made on her abdomen, but it had nearly stopped. Deep purple bruises and angry red cuts and scrapes covered her face and arms. Her leg was caught under one of the heavy beams, most certainly broken. But she was alive, and that was all that mattered.
 
“Where’s Buffy?” she asked again, her voice quavering, like a small, frightened child.
 
A lump formed in Spike’s throat and he felt his heart being ripped from his chest yet again. How many times could his heart be ripped out before he dusted?

 

“Dawn … I …” he finally stammered out, but it was too late – he knew she knew. There was nothing he could say that could make this any easier for either of them. There was nothing he could say to excuse his failure or ease her pain.
 
Dawn’s face fell as realization washed over her. Spike could see her crumble inside, more than crumble, shatter.
 
“No, no, no, no…” Dawn began muttering, over and over, shaking her head in disbelief. It was all she could say. It was all she could think. “No…” Her whole body trembled and shuddered uncontrollably, but no tears fell from her eyes – she was beyond tears. She stared at him, her gaze never wavering, as he freed her from the debris. She chanted her mantra the entire time he worked, “No, no, no…”

 

Despite his injuries, Spike scooped Dawn up into his arms and limped away from the battleground and out to the street. He wanted to bring the girl back to Revello Drive, back to her room, her bed, where she’d feel safe and warm. Somewhere familiar to help ease her pain.
 
The panicked residents of Sunnydale were packed in the streets – running, walking, driving, trying to get away, get out of town. Demons of every size, shape and description, from the smallest to the largest, had descended on their town and shaken them from their long-held embrace of denial. There was no denying this – hell was alive and well and living in Sunnydale … again.
 
As Spike started down the street with Dawn in his arms, horrified screams filled the air. He could hear people pleading for mercy, praying to God for help, even trying to bargain with the scourge of demons that were raining terror down on them. Down at the next intersection, he heard gunshots ring out. A group of people were barricaded behind a cluster of cars fighting off a group of very tall demons with red glowing eyes. The bullets were having little impact on the demons, however. The wounds appeared to be more of an annoyance to them than a life-threatening injury.
 
High above the mayhem, large bat-like creatures circled. They dove down and snatched up unwary humans who didn’t have the good sense to look up. The luckiest never knew what hit them. The unlucky lived long enough to feel themselves being torn apart by the flying demons’ razor-sharp talons and vampiric teeth. Their shrieks of terror and agony rained down on the town like fire and brimstone falling from the sky.
 
Spike blocked out their screams. He couldn’t stop – he couldn’t help the citizens of Sunnydale. He had one mission now: keep Dawn safe.
 
Spike was wary, keeping to the shadows with his precious cargo.  Thankfully, many of the bands of different monsters were fighting each other, fighting for dominance in this new world. Most showed no interest in him. Those that did were met with his vampire visage and assumed that the human in his arms was his kill. So far, none had challenged him for his prize – he wasn’t sure how long that would last, though.
 
Spike quickly realized that the sewers were safer. The newcomers hadn’t discovered them yet – plus there were no Happy Meals down there for them, no reason for them to even go down there. When Spike reached their ‘exit’ in front of 1630 Revello Drive, he set Dawn down on the damp floor of the tunnel.
 
Her chant of, “No, no, no,” had softened and now came out as barely a whisper, but never stopped.
 
“Just gonna take a look around, pet,” Spike assured her as he crouched next to her. “Dawn? …Niblett?” Spike sighed worriedly and waved a hand in front of her eyes. She didn’t even seem to know he was there.

 

Spike left her sitting on the tunnel floor, climbed the ladder up to the street, and lifted the manhole cover just enough to look around.
 
Most of the residents of Revello Drive had already fled. Front doors were left standing open in the owners’ haste to get away. There were no cars in the driveways or on the street here. He saw a small band of the tall, glowy-eyed demons loping down the street towards him. He held his breath as he watched, afraid to drop the manhole cover back down lest he draw their attention.
 
They stopped abruptly about two houses down from Buffy’s and started up the walkway towards the now abandoned home. A cat screeched and ran from under a thick jasmine vine that wound around the front porch of the house as the demons approached. The gangly, red-eyed demons, which Spike had mentally begun calling ‘Reds’, took off in pursuit of the frightened pet that had been left behind.
 
After they ran around the side of the house and out of sight, Spike let out a relieved breath, slid the manhole cover completely out of the way, and quickly retrieved Dawn. By the time he’d carried her through the front door and into the house, she was in a state of shock. Whether it was from the physical trauma and the blood loss she’d suffered, or from the emotional trauma of realizing Buffy was gone, he didn’t know. She just repeated, “No, no, no…” as if that was the only word she knew.
 
Spike cleaned her wounds, stopped the bleeding, bandaged her cuts, and set her leg in a splint. Dawn never screamed or moaned. She didn’t even try to move or pull away while he attended to her – even though he knew full well how badly it must’ve hurt. Only the forlorn chant of, “No, no, no…” passed her lips, her eyes staring blindly at the ceiling, but no longer seeing.
 
 
Present day, Friday, April, 15th, 2011:
 
{{If you aren’t familiar with how Ant Lions / Doodlebugs catch their prey, check this short video on YouTube  }}





Buffy fell the twenty or so feet from the portal opening and landed hard, directly on the back of the overgrown doodlebug. The demon was now kicking sand up onto her daughter’s back and over her head in an effort to slide the juicy morsel back down into its waiting pincers.
 
Annie was still scrambling, trying to get up the side of the pit and away from the monster. She wasn’t making much headway, however, as the sand under her simply calved off as she climbed. She didn’t even realize Buffy was there in her panic to get away. She felt like one of those cartoon creatures whose feet moved a hundred miles an hour, but their body simply stayed in one place.

 

Buffy came down on the head of the giant bug with her fists clamped together like a hammer and for a moment it stopped kicking sand on Annie. Unfortunately, that didn’t actually hurt it so much as just piss it off. In a fraction of a second, Buffy found herself embroiled in a life and death battle with the creature as it turned this way and that, like a bucking bronco, trying to dislodge her from its back. At least while it was battling her, it couldn’t be kicking sand up on her daughter.
 
She hung on for dear life even as she screamed at Annie to, “RUN!”
 
The demon bug swung its large pincer from side to side, trying to catch her legs with it and pull her off. Buffy kicked at the bug’s large claw as she held on to its armored back with her hands, but her efforts had little effect other than to incite the beast further.
 
Through the commotion, Buffy heard Annie screaming for her, “MOM! MOM!”
 
Buffy glanced up quickly. Her daughter was up on the rim of the Punjab pit! She was out! Buffy quickly realized she was not going to slay this thing without weapons and immediately changed tactics. The next time the demon bug swung to the left, towards where Annie now waited on the rim, Buffy let go and used its momentum to propel her halfway up the side of the pit. As soon as she hit she began scrambling, as Annie had done, to get away.
 
It only took a moment for the huge demon doodlebug to begin kicking dirt up on her, trying to bury her and slide her back down the side. Now it was Buffy’s turn to feel like a cartoon character, her arms and legs moving with lightning speed, but her body not moving up the incline at all. Finally, she found something buried in the soft sand, something hard, and grabbed a hold of it and pulled up a bit farther. She was able to get her foot on it and lifted up even more. That made her feel a little more secure, but the sand being kicked up from the demon bug was raining down on her in torrents. She couldn’t see; she could barely even breathe.
 
“MOM!” she heard Annie’s voice again. “GRAB MY HAND!” her daughter screamed at her.
 
Buffy tried to look up, but got a face full of sand for her effort and was forced to close her eyes and sputter the dry grit from her mouth and nose.
 
“REACH UP!” Annie commanded again and Buffy complied – not having any choice or any other ideas at that moment.
 
Annie hooked her feet under a steel girder that lay next to the demon bug’s pit and stretched her body and arms down the side of the incline towards her mother. Buffy’s arms were flailing above her head, trying to find purchase on the loose sand or find her daughter’s hand, but not having any luck with either.
 
“REACH UP!” Annie screamed again as she tried to lengthen her own body down to her mother. She was six inches away from being able to reach her. Annie demanded her mother, “JUMP!” as sand began to pour down on her again. Annie was forced to close her eyes and try to breathe through barely parted lips to keep the grit she was inhaling to a minimum. Her throat was dry and raw from screaming and swallowing the sand and her eyes were watering fiercely, leaving dark, dirty tracks on her face.
 
If I could fucking jump I would have! Buffy growled mentally as she tried to reach up higher. She was loath to take her foot off the only solid thing she’d found in this dry quicksand lest she slide back down, but sometimes you have to go on faith. She pushed off with all the strength she had. Then suddenly Annie’s hand was in hers and her little fingers gripped her mother’s with strength fueled by fear and absolute terror.
 
Buffy scrambled, using Annie’s grip for leverage as the sandstorm continued to rain down on them. Finally, she was able to climb up her daughter’s body and she collapsed on the rim of the crater. She only allowed herself a second’s rest before she grabbed her daughter’s legs and hauled her back up to the edge. Once Annie was back on solid ground, she lunged at Buffy, wrapping her arms around her mother’s neck in a fierce hug as tears continued streaming down her dirt-streaked face.
 
Buffy wrapped her arms around her daughter and pulled them both back away from the edge of the pit as she tried to get her bearings and figure out where they were and, more importantly, how to get back where they belonged.

 

The immediate area around the pit looked like a junkyard or a metal recycling business. There was a huge pile of steel girders and other debris to one side – on the other side of the pit was an old warehouse. Buffy realized immediately that they were in Sunnydale – that was the warehouse that had been torn down to build the Green Grocer store – but they weren’t in ‘their’ Sunnydale, obviously.
 
Above them, the sun was nearly blocked out by a thick layer of dark smoke, like that from a giant forest fire. Buffy realized it wasn’t just the sand in her eyes and mouth that was a problem with her breathing, but the acrid smoke that hung in the air. Now that things had calmed down a small bit, she could feel the smoke stinging her eyes and burning her throat as she breathed. The smoke seemed to cast the entire world into perpetual twilight, despite the fact that Buffy knew it was early-afternoon, or, at least it had been where they’d come from.
 
Buffy began to stand up, to pull Annie with her. They definitely needed to get back home. “Oh, God – MacKenzie!” Buffy exclaimed as her brain started running everything back for her. “I left her in the minivan – alone!”
 
“How do we get back?” Annie wondered, eyeing the pit, which now looked empty, but which she knew was not.
 
Buffy looked around quickly. “We have to build a bridge out there to the middle and up … up higher. I think we need to be at least ten feet above the rim here to get back to the portal … maybe twenty.”
 
But before Buffy could even start looking for girders long enough to use to put across the top of the wide pit as a base for such a bridge, she and Annie were both attacked from above and knocked to the ground. Buffy held to her daughter and rolled away from whatever it was, pulling Annie with her. Buffy could feel warm blood dripping from her back where she’d been hit and she looked around quickly to determine what it was that had attacked them.
 
Sitting atop the pile of girders was what could only be described as giant bat, at least six feet tall. But, unlike normal bats, it wasn’t hanging upside down; it was sitting on the pile of debris like a bird – like a huge bird of prey. Its leathery wings were now folded against its back, its body was completely covered with shiny black hair, and its red, beady eyes were trained on Buffy and Annie. It was obviously sizing them up as it regrouped for another attack. The red eyes were bad enough, but the worst part was its mouth, which Buffy could only think was akin to a vampire’s, with two razor-sharp canines that hung down well past its smooth, wet, black, lower lip.
 
“Run!” Buffy yelled. Pulling her daughter behind her, Buffy began running towards the warehouse.

  

The giant bat wasn’t giving up, however. As the girls ran around the pit and across the open ground between them and the cover of the warehouse, it took flight again. Buffy could hear it this time as its leathery wings flapped behind them. When the flapping stopped she knew it was diving and she swung around just in time to cold-cock it right in those deadly fangs. The giant bat squealed a high-pitched objection as it tumbled down into the pit. The stunned demon rolled all the way down the soft sides to the very bottom of the trap where the giant doodlebug waited, hidden just under the sand.

Just as they reached the cover of an overhanging roof that ran the length of the warehouse, Buffy heard a mind-numbing crunch of bones and flesh and more shrill screeching and thrashing from the wounded bat-monster. Buffy stopped and pulled Annie to her as she pressed her back against the cold block wall and scanned the sky for more attackers.
 
“What is this place?” Annie asked, her voice quivering with fear and panic as she turned her head to look around them.
 
“It’s … it’s Sunnydale, but … something went terribly wrong,” Buffy explained as she held Annie to her tightly and tried to formulate a new plan to get them home as she continued scanning the sky and the ground for more demons.
 
“Look! What’s that?” Annie exclaimed, pointing to her right and directly down the wall they were plastered to.
 
Buffy forced her eyes away from the open area behind the warehouse and followed Annie’s gaze. Against one of the wide loading dock doors was an altar of sorts. It reminded Buffy of one of those roadside tributes that loved ones left when someone died in a car accident. Buffy and Annie walked down there to get a closer look. There were candles burnt down to puddles of wax, dried flowers, obviously many months or even years old, a couple of necklaces which held gold crucifixes, a few stuffed animals, and some very old chocolate bars. And there were pictures – photographs and drawings … of her.

 

Buffy stared wide-eyed at the display, picking up some of the photos and looking at them. There were a few with her and Willow and Xander, but mostly they were just her alone, or with her mom or …
 
“Dawn,” Buffy muttered, picking up one photograph and studying it carefully. Just as some things began to click into place, like where exactly they were and why that huge pile of steel beams and girders was here, her thoughts were punctured by someone shouting at them.
 
“OI! Get the bloody hell away from there!” Spike yelled as he came around the corner of the warehouse and saw them.

 

“PAPA!” Annie exclaimed, reacting to his voice and pulling free of Buffy’s hand. She hurtled towards the man that was walking determinedly towards them.
 
“Annie! No!” Buffy yelled and started after her daughter, but it was too late. Annie had launched herself at Spike in a flurry of relief and wrapped her arms around him tightly.
 
“Papa! Papa!” she continued to scream, her face buried against his chest and her arms hugging him with every ounce of strength she had left.
 
Spike stopped, momentarily gobsmacked, and looked down at the girl. He’d been attacked by lots of different demons over his long unlife, but this was the first ‘little lost lass’ demon he’d encountered.
 
“Annie, no!” Buffy repeated as she reached them and pulled her daughter back away from the vampire.
 
The man standing before them was Spike – there was no doubt, but Buffy knew it wasn’t ‘their’ Spike. First of all, her husband was thousands of feet underwater battling an octopus demon right this moment, and second of all, this man’s light brown, curly hair fell past his shoulders, only the very ends showed any signs of previously being blond. She didn't think there was any way her Spike would let his hair grow that long or let his curls get that untamed. But the real kicker was her inability to get any sense of a soul off him – not like when she was near her Spike.
 
Spike regained his composure and regarded the pair, hooking his thumbs over his belt buckle and glaring at them. “Couldn’t kill me with your uber-vamps so now you’re gonna try to wriggle under m’ skin with a little munchkin, eh?” he questioned, cocking a brow and looking at Buffy.
 
“Spike – I know what you must be thinking but…” Buffy began, holding one hand up as if in surrender as she held Annie back with the other.
 
“Oh, well, we already know that you know what we’re all thinkin’, yeah? But your little games don’t work with me anymore, so sod off – and take your little boatload of manly responsibility with ya!” Spike ordered, narrowing his eyes at Annie angrily.
 
“Spike, I’m not The First.  It’s me, Buffy,” Buffy tried to explain, reaching a hand out towards him.
 
In one deadly fast move, Spike drew a sword from a scabbard at his back and swung it at them. Buffy turned at the last moment, shielding Annie, and he caught her on the arm with the tip of the blade, slicing through her shirt and nicking her flesh with the sharp weapon.
 
“Guess you don’t know as much as you think, then, do ya?” Spike smirked. “Found a way to turn into a real girl, did ya? That’s bloody brilliant … real girls can be killed,” he threatened as he moved forward again, raising the blade for another strike.

 

“Run!” Buffy commanded her daughter for the third time in the last few minutes as she turned and began running back the way they’d come, dragging a confused and frightened Annie along behind her.
 
“That’s right! Who’s Big Bad now?” Spike taunted as he watched them run away, past the pile of steel that represented his biggest failure, out the gate and into the street. “Blighters…” he muttered as he picked up the photo that Buffy had dropped and gently brushed it off, then placed it back in its rightful spot on the altar.
 
“They try to look like you, luv, but I know the truth of ya, don’t I?” Spike spoke to the pictures. “Try to fool ole Spike into thinkin’ he’s off his bird, even makin’ the Buffy solid this time,” he continued.
 
“But no one could be you, pet – you are the one and only Slayer. They’d never be able to copy your sweet blood,” he asserted as he touched the blood on the end of the sword with his finger and brought it to his lips. Spike’s eyes went wide when the blood hit his tongue and he quickly wiped the other side of the blade with his finger and drew it into his mouth.
 
“Bloody hell,” he muttered as he turned and looked in the direction they had gone. For the first time in eleven years he felt a fluttering beneath his breast, not a heartbeat, but his heart, just the same.
 
**~**
 
Buffy dragged Annie behind her as she ran down the sidewalk as quickly as her daughter’s legs would move. She kept a wary eye on the sky and the street in front of them for demons as they went. Spike had mentioned uber-vamps – she soooo couldn’t afford to meet any of those with Annie in tow. She needed weapons and they needed to get somewhere safe … and soon.
 
Buffy took a quick right at the next street and headed for the closest place she knew: downtown and the Magic Box.
 
“Mom! Please! Stop! I have to stop!” Annie cried, protesting the pace her mother was setting, as she pulled out of Buffy’s grip.
 
Buffy slowed down to a fast walk, admonishing her daughter to keep moving. The street was empty save for her and Annie, but Buffy thought she could feel eyes on them, looking out from long-abandoned houses and storefronts. The Slayer’s eyes darted around, sweeping the surrounding area for demons as they headed for the Magic Box.

 

Weeds had grown in the cracks of the road and sidewalk, even some trees had pushed up through the broken pavement at some point in the past, but now everything was dead and brown. Even the trees and lawns and flower gardens in the yards along the street were all completely dead; not one speck of green remained – not a dandelion, not a sandspur, not even a cactus. For all intents and purposes, Sunnydale was a ghost town – or more accurately, a demon town; not even the plants could live here any longer. Buffy wondered how far the demons had spread. Were they all over the world, or just here? What about the rest of her friends? The Scoobies? Giles? Dawn? Had they survived? Is that who Spike was talking about when he said she knew what they were all thinking?
 
Suddenly Buffy’s spidey-senses started screaming at her and she turned and looked up. The giant bat obviously had friends and they apparently decided a demonic visit from the Welcome Wagon was in order.
 
“RUN!” Buffy screamed at Annie, pulling her by the hand again, as they dodged abandoned cars, downed power poles, and even a living room set that had been dragged out of a house and into the street.
 
“I can’t!” Annie protested, her legs quivering with the exertion of the day. Her knees nearly buckled when Buffy began pulling her along faster once again.
 
“It’s only a little ways! You can do it!” Buffy admonished her as she felt and heard the bats approaching. They would be attacking en masse at any moment.
 
“Mom! Please!” Annie begged, her voice a high-pitched whine.
 
“Annie! Run to the Magic Box! NOW!” Buffy insisted, pushing her daughter ahead of her as she turned in time to punch the first bat in the jaw and send it rolling off to the right.
 
When the bat dove at them, Annie screamed and ran. Her legs suddenly found power she didn’t know she had as adrenaline surged yet again. Her muscles trembled with exhaustion and her knees buckled more than once as she ran. She had to catch herself with her hands time and again to keep from falling as she scurried ahead of her mother towards the Magic Box – it was less than fifty yards away now.
 
Buffy kept moving backwards as she fought the oncoming flock of bats. Were a group of bats called a flock, like birds? Or … a herd or a gaggle … maybe a pack, like hyenas? They weren’t actually birds, after all – although at the moment they did seem somewhat hyena-like.
 
Buffy punched at their slick, black mouths and flaring nostrils as they grabbed at her with claws and teeth. They weren’t that hard to take down; it was just that there were so many of them now. Without the giant doodlebug to actually finish them off, they were able recover and rejoin the barrage. The realization that she wasn’t really doing any permanent damage to them made her stomach lurch and her chest tighten. How was she going to survive this battle? How could she protect Annie from the hordes of airborne attackers?
 
Their claws dug into Buffy’s arms and shoulders, drawing more blood which just seemed to incite them further. She punched with both fists, flailing wildly at the never-ending stream of them, but she couldn’t keep up with the onslaught – there were too many. Buffy kept trying to move backwards, towards the Magic Box. She could hear Annie screaming for her, but she couldn’t turn around to look.
 
Then suddenly Annie was next to her, handing her something long and flat. Buffy couldn’t even focus on what it was, but whatever it was was better than her bruised, raw and bloodied fists. Annie was swinging her own weapon at the bats as Buffy did the same. They were pickets from a fence, Buffy realized, as the two continued backing towards the safety of the shop swinging the makeshift bats at the … uhhh … bats.
 
Just as they reached the door to the shop, one of the flying demons dove at Buffy before she could pull the fence slat back to swing. In a last ditch effort to make it inside, she stabbed at the thing’s chest. To her surprise, the bat dusted, covering both her and Annie with a fine layer of grit.
 
“Oh my God,” Buffy choked out as she and Annie got inside and slammed the door closed. “They’re vampires!”
 
Annie was crying and choking on the dust as she collapsed down to the floor in utter exhaustion and relief. Buffy locked the door and dropped the heavy, metal security gate over the whole front of the store. The burglar bars had just fallen into place when two of the bats flew into them. There was a loud, violent crash when they hit the metal gate and the bats dropped down to the sidewalk outside, momentarily stunned. If that had just been glass, they would’ve likely made it inside.
 
Annie screamed and jumped when they hit the metal barrier and she began to slide across the floor, away from the storefront. Buffy quickly picked her daughter up by the shoulders and half-dragged, half-carried her away from the windows. She guided Annie behind the counter the cash register sat on before letting the worn out, frightened girl drop back down onto the floor.

 

“Are you alright? Are you hurt?” Buffy asked as she quickly examined her daughter for injuries. Annie had some scrapes and scratches, quite a few deep purple bruises and the large gash on her arm. The cut on her arm had stopped bleeding, clotted with sand and dirt. To Buffy’s utter relief, none of her injuries looked life-threatening.
 
Annie nodded. “I … think … so,” she pressed out between sobs and deep shuddering breaths. “Is there … any … water?”
 
Buffy’s eyes scanned the shelves near them, but didn’t see anything that resembled water. In fact, she didn’t see much of anything at all. The store had been looted quite thoroughly. “Stay here, let me look around,” Buffy instructed Annie.
 
“No!” her daughter begged, reaching out a hand to keep Buffy there.
 
“It’s ok, I’m not going anywhere. Let me look for some water,” Buffy assured her as she pulled away.
 
Buffy stood up and scanned the interior of the store quickly – it was practically bare. A few trinkets remained strewn haphazardly over the floor: some glittery unicorns and a cracked crystal ball along with some little plastic toy trolls were about all that remained. Anything of any magical significance, or that could be used as a weapon, was gone. There were no candles, no eyes of newt, not even any chicken’s feet remaining. The cash register, however, also remained. Its cash drawer was standing open and full of money. Cash, apparently, didn’t buy much or mean anything in a world full of demons.
 
Buffy couldn’t help but think of Anya and how appalled she would be that someone had just walked away and left all that money there, not earning any interest or anything. Buffy bit her lip and her chest tightened again. Obviously, whoever had been here hadn’t just walked away and left that. Most likely, they had been dragged away. Most likely they were dead.
 
Buffy shook the feeling off as she walked silently to the closed door of the training room. She gingerly put her ear up against it to listen. She didn’t hear anything, so she slowly pushed it open. Here too, everything was gone; not one knife, not one stake remained. She first tried the sink for water, but nothing except a small hiss of air came out when she turned the handles. She then went over to the refrigerator in the corner and opened it. It smelled of mold and mildew. The food that had been in there had long ago rotted and now was nothing more than greenish-grey dust, only recognizable as food because of being in Tupperware and take-out containers. In the freezer, she found a Ziplock bag – with slightly green water in it. At one time it'd held ice. Someone was always getting bonked on the head, it seemed; now the bag of slimy water was their salvation.
 
Buffy ripped a small hole in the corner of the bag and emptied the contents into a glass, then brought it back to Annie. The girl slurped the stale, off-color water greedily. Annie only realized that Buffy hadn’t had any after she’d emptied over half of it. “I’m sorry … here,” Annie offered, but Buffy held up her hand.
 
“It’s ok – go ahead, I’m fine,” Buffy assured her. The dirt and dust Buffy had swallowed earlier was starting to feel like it was multiplying in her throat. On top of that, anytime her teeth came together there was a feeling of grit grinding between them, but Annie needed the hydration more than Buffy did.
 
“No – I’m ok – here,” Annie insisted, holding the three-quarters empty glass out to her mother.
 
Buffy smiled thankfully and took it from her, swishing the water around in her mouth a while before swallowing it. It was warm and stale and gross and probably had any number of mold or mildew spores growing in it, and it was the best thing Buffy had tasted in a long while.
 
Buffy got back up and started searching the shop again, looking in every chest, every drawer, every nook and cranny for any kind of weapon, but there was absolutely nothing left.
 
“C’mon – let’s go downstairs and see if there’s anything in the basement,” Buffy suggested, reaching her hand down to help Annie up off the floor.
 
Annie got up on wobbly legs and followed her mother to the stairs that led into the storeroom/basement of the shop. Out of habit, Buffy flipped on the light switch – nothing, of course, happened.
 
“Well, that’s not gonna…” Buffy began as she started to turn around on the stairs and head back into the shop. She stopped abruptly when she heard a loud crash from the training room. Buffy immediately pulled Annie onto the landing at the top of the stairs that led down into the basement and closed the door, which cast them into complete and utter darkness.
 
Buffy sat Annie down on the top step and gently ‘shushed’ her. The Slayer then turned and peeked out through a small crack between the door and the jamb to see what or who had entered the shop. Buffy held her breath as she watched three tall, thin humanoid demons enter her line of vision. They were easily eight feet tall, with legs and arms disproportionately longer than their torsos. Their thin frames made them look even taller than they actually were and their heads were more oblong than round. They all had long black hair that hung down their backs in thick braids, which contrasted dramatically to their pale ivory skin.
 
One was obviously a female, the other two male. One of the males wore khaki cargo pants, the other had on what appeared to be green army fatigues. The legs of their pants only reached slightly below the knee, like Capris or old-fashioned breeches. Both males were shirtless and, despite their reed-like builds, had wiry muscles in their arms and chests which rippled with every movement.
 
The female seemed to be in charge, directing the others with nods of her head or a long, bony finger. She wore what had at one time been a white Naval officer’s dress uniform, right down to the stars on the collar and ribbons on her chest. Now the white was dirty, stained with mud and what Buffy could only assume was dried blood. Like her counterparts, the hem of her pants fell just below the knee; her stark white legs and feet below were bare. The female demon wore no shirt or undergarment under the jacket and her ample cleavage, which Buffy thought Dolly Parton would be envious of, played peek-a-boo with the open front of the uniform. It actually made her look almost comical, her thin build in sharp contrast to those fleshy twin mountains on her chest. Her companions, Buffy noticed, stole furtive glances at said mountains when they thought their boss wasn’t looking. Buffy rolled her eyes – as if the she-devil didn’t know what she was doing with that jacket and those boobs.
 
When the female looked at Buffy directly, the breath the Slayer had been holding came out in a gulp. Just like the bats, this demon had teeth that could only be described as vampiric. Long, sharp incisors protruded dangerously from unexpectedly bright red lips, but what sent a chill through Buffy were the eyes. All the vampires Buffy had ever known had had yellow eyes; the eyes of these demons were blood-red and glowed like a candle burning behind the crimson, rippled glass of a stained-glass window. Buffy stood perfectly still as the female seemed to lock those demonic eyes on her through the small crack in the door. Could she actually see Buffy through that tiny crack? Or perhaps she could sense her, or smell her.

 

When the female tossed her head back and let out a long, high-pitched, falsetto screech, Buffy jumped back from the door, grabbed Annie’s hand, and started scurrying down the stairs in the blackness. When Annie started to say something, Buffy clamped her hand over her mouth and pulled her forward. At the bottom of the stairs they banged into overturned furniture and crates in the dark and stumbled over unknown obstacles that littered the floor. So much for stealth.
 
Suddenly, the door above them opened with a crash and some soft light filtered down into the dark basement. It wasn’t really enough to see by, but compared to the pitch black that had been there before, it was like a floodlight. Buffy smashed her fist down on a crate she’d stumbled into and picked up two jagged, roughly stake-shaped pieces of wood. Then she hurried towards the sewer entrance, pushing Annie ahead of her, keeping her body between her daughter and the new danger that was approaching. She heard the tall vampires descending the stairs with fast, heavy footfalls as she struggled to find the latch on the door.
 
Buffy knew the vamps were right behind them and she had to give up her search for the latch and turn to fight or they’d take her out without a struggle. Buffy swung a high straight leg kick at Cargo Pants, the first to reach her, a kick that would’ve hit any normal vamp or human in the chin, but only reached the middle of his abdomen. It served to make him stumble backwards, at least, and she raised her stake to strike when she heard Annie yell that she got the door open.
 
Buffy plunged the stake into what should’ve been the heart of Cargo, but nothing happened. Well, that’s not entirely true.  The vamp’s eyes seemed to glow even brighter and flicker, like a slight breeze was blowing the flame of the candle. He looked like a demonic jack o’ lantern in the dark of the basement, and his red lips curled into a sardonic smirk. Then he began to laugh. Buffy could only gawp at the sight.

 

“MOM!” Annie screamed as she reached back and yanked on Buffy’s belt, pulling her into the sewers. Buffy and Annie both slammed the door closed and slid the one and only bolt to lock it and then they took off running. Buffy knew that wouldn’t hold the tall demons for long. They needed to find somewhere safe – but where would be safe?
 
While they ran, Buffy’s mind whirled. Were those demons vampires? Her Slayer senses told her they were, their fangs seemed to bear that out, but the lack of dustiness was perplexing. She had to go with her gut, which was telling her they were vampires. She reasoned that they may be like the Turok-Han and needed a little more ‘oomph’ behind the stake to actually do any damage.
 
“We need to get home!” Buffy announced as they ran. Annie was in front while Buffy watched their back for the vamps.
 
Annie nodded and, when they came to an intersection in the tunnel, she turned to the left.
 
“No! This way!” Buffy insisted, pulling her to the right.
 
“No, Mom! Home’s this way! I’ve been this way with Dad a million times!” Annie argued.
 
“Not Crawford Street … Revello Drive,” Buffy clarified as she yanked Annie along behind her.
 
Annie didn’t understand, but didn’t argue further as they heard the door from the Magic Box splinter and crash open.
 
After running for what felt like miles, Buffy finally stopped and lifted Annie up onto the ladder that led to the manhole cover that was directly in front of 1630 Revello Drive.
 
It worried Buffy slightly that they hadn’t heard the demons’ footsteps behind them for a while. Certainly those vamps would’ve been much faster than an exhausted Slayer and her even more exhausted twelve year old daughter. But Buffy didn’t have time to ponder that long; her focus now was on getting into the house. Hopefully, the same rules applied for these vamps as did ‘normal’ vampires. She also hoped the universe, or whoever it was that made the vamp barrier, would recognize her as the owner of said house, despite the fact that she was apparently dead in this dimension.
 
Buffy climbed up behind Annie and reached over her, carefully lifting the heavy manhole cover up just slightly so she could look around. She didn’t see anything or anyone. She concentrated on her spidey-senses for a moment – nothing. Buffy slid the cover off to the side and urged Annie forward, up onto the street above and followed right behind her. Buffy looked around quickly, scanning the sky, street, and sidewalk in all directions, still nothing.
 
“Ok, go!” Buffy instructed Annie in a low voice as she guided her up the walk towards the front door of the house.
 
Suddenly, the female vampire from the Magic Box dropped down out of the oak tree in the front yard, directly in their path. Buffy grabbed Annie by the shoulders and turned to retreat when the two male vamps dropped down behind them. Buffy’s mind raced, how was she going to fight on two fronts and protect Annie, as well? Buffy kept turning in a circle, Annie plastered to her back, as the vamps approached slowly.
 
“Sssslayer …” the female vampire whispered through her glistening fangs, her voice low, almost seductive. The slight hiss of the single word made it sound like a threat.
 
“You know, your boys could probably fight better if they weren’t walking around with perpetual hard-ons and betting which of your boobs was gonna fall out of that top first,” Buffy informed the female. “Plus, seriously, how can you fight with those big, honkin’ hooters in your way? Have you ever considered breast reduction surgery?”
 
The female paused, a frown turning the corners of her blood red lips downwards as she glanced down at her chest. Apparently no one had ever suggested that to her before. It was the break Buffy needed. She charged the female, knocking her to the ground.
 
“Get in the house!” Buffy screamed at Annie as she tumbled to the ground with Dolly.


 
Annie sprinted past the two females who were wrestling on the front walk, ran up the stairs, and threw open the unlocked door. She stopped just inside the threshold and turned around to see what was happening. The two male vamps were descending on the fighting women quickly. Annie screamed out a warning, but there was little Buffy could do, her hands were full just with the one vamp as they each wrestled for control of the other.
 
“Get the other!” the female ordered her minions. “Ssslayer’s mine.”
 
Buffy felt panic explode inside her as she saw the two males pass by them and head for the house – for Annie. She stabbed her stake into the female vamp, not aiming, just flailing wildly to get away from her and go to protect her daughter. The tall Navy vamp Buffy was fighting was unimpressed, however. The wounds Buffy was inflicting were doing nothing more than angering the female and making her grotesque red eyes glow brighter.
 
Buffy could hear Annie screaming and again Buffy advised her to, “RUN!”  Buffy’s head was rocked to the side from a hard blow from the strong, wiry female as soon as the word was out of her mouth.
 
Annie turned and scampered away from the door, and began running up the stairs as the two males lunged for her … and bounced off the vamp barrier.
 
Annie stopped halfway up the stairs and turned back when the two vampires fell backwards and landed hard on the floorboards of the front porch. “MOM!” Annie screamed. “They can’t get in! They can’t get in!”
 
Buffy heard her but it didn’t really register as she had her hands full with Dolly. These vamps were extraordinarily strong – stronger than her, certainly stronger than normal vamps. Buffy felt some ribs crack when the female punched her in the middle of her chest as they continued to roll around in the dirt of what used to be the front lawn. The next time the demon’s fist connected, it felt like a ten pound sledgehammer slamming against the Slayer’s sternum. Buffy’s breath was knocked out of her with a whoosh and her head began to spin as pain flashed through her body like razors.
 
Buffy willed herself on, fighting through, and in spite of, the agony and lightheadedness. She stabbed her stake into the larger vamp’s flesh and punched with her bloodied fists, but nothing was working. She felt like a mosquito buzzing around an elephant – nothing more than a minor annoyance to the preternatural demon. Hell, the vamp’s neat braid of dark hair didn’t even look like it had been disturbed; not a hair out of place. Suddenly, the demon was atop her, gripping both of Buffy’s wrists in one of her large, powerful hands, effectively stopping the Slayer’s annoying assault. Buffy watched with wide-eyed horror as Dolly licked those bright red lips seductively, then lowered her mouth towards Buffy’s neck. Any doubt that these demons were vampires evaporated in that split second.
 
“MOM! MOOOOM! MOOOOOM!” Annie screamed over and over again in utter panic as she watched, horrified.
 
As the women fought, the male vampires snickered at the girl’s terror as they got back to their feet. The smell of her blood and fear and adrenaline wafted off her in waves, calling to their most primal instinct. They tried once again to get to the child, cursing when they were again thwarted by the magical barrier.
 
Buffy kicked her legs up and tried to dislodge Dolly, tried to flip them over, but the Slayer’s efforts were ineffectual against the stronger and fresher opponent. Buffy felt the vamp’s fangs pierce her flesh and she kicked and flailed with wild abandon to get the demon off her, but it wasn’t working. She could not lose – Annie needed her. She had to find a way … some way to get free, to protect her daughter. But despite her conviction, Buffy remained trapped by Dolly. She could feel her blood draining out of her as the large female sucked violently against the Slayer’s overheated flesh and she could feel hope dwindling along with her life’s blood.
 
Suddenly, the vampire atop Buffy was ripped away. Dolly’s fangs tore the flesh of Buffy’s neck as the vamp was lifted off and tossed across the yard like a rag doll. For an instant, Buffy’s only thought was that Spike was there – that he had torn the vamp away from her. But her relief was short lived. Instead of Spike or one of her other friends, a Turok-Han stood over her, slavering and growling menacingly. The drool dripped from its grotesque, toothy mouth as the aroma of Slayer blood filled his senses and Buffy thought she might vomit from the stench of it.


 
Buffy’s head spun and her stomach churned as she jumped up to her feet, barely avoiding the clutches of the large vampire as he lunged for her. She clenched her jaw and swallowed back the bile in her throat. With sheer willpower, she forced the whirling in her brain to stop as she quickly backed away from the monster. When the two male, red-eyed vampires saw the uber-vamp, they gave up their vain attempt to get to Annie, leapt over the railing at the end of the porch, and ran away with long, loping strides.
 
“Well … I guess that makes you the Biggest Bad,” Buffy observed as she stalked slowly to her right in a circle. She was trying to get around the vamp so she could make a dash for the house. Her attention was focused entirely on the uber-vamp. All she could hear was her own heart thudding in her chest, all she could see was its venomous eyes and jagged fangs, all she could feel was the warning of danger tingling down her spine and all she could smell was the putrid stench of clotted blood and rotting flesh that oozed from its gaping mouth. Not even Annie’s screams of terror penetrated her concentration as she continued to move slowly, trying to appear calm. She had no weapon – the stake she’d had before was nowhere to be seen. Even if she’d had it, she knew killing this demon with a regular stake was nearly impossible.
 
“Wrong,” a voice informed her from the street as Spike strode up, sword drawn, and whipped the razor sharp weapon in a wide arc at the uber-vamp’s neck. “That makes me the Biggest Bad,” he informed her as the uber-vamp disintegrated into a cloud of dull grey dust.

 

Buffy’s eyes went momentarily wide with shock. Where had he come from? Then her survival instinct kicked in and she sprinted past the remains of the Turok-Han that hung in the air and leapt towards the house. She dove from the top porch step through the open door, and behind the safety of the vamp barrier. Before Buffy could get back to her feet, Annie was there, wrapping her arms around her neck, sobbing uncontrollably as she clung to her mother.
 
“It’s ok … it’s ok, baby,” Buffy assured her as her chest heaved with exertion and adrenaline. She lifted a hand and pressed down against the wound on her neck to staunch the bleeding. “They can’t … get in here…we’re safe here,” Buffy continued to assure her between gasps of air.
 
Spike strode purposely up the steps, across the porch and into the foyer. “Wrong again,” Spike announced as he calmly laid the tip of his sword in the hollow at the base of Buffy’s throat.
 
Buffy’s eyes went wide. “How?” she questioned, looking into the angry eyes of the Spike’s demon, who now stood over them.
 
“A lady invited me in … a lady that I buried with m’ own hands. A lady that still rests in that very place. A lady that’s not you,” he informed her as he pressed the blade harder against her flesh.
 
A drop of blood formed against the sharp blade and ran down her hot, dirty skin like a trickle of fear, sending a chill down her spine and flooding her heart with dread. There was no where left to run.



**~**

{Click here to hear Night Prowler by AC/DC on YouTube  }}

Somewhere a clock strikes midnight
And there's a full moon in the sky
You hear a dog bark in the distance
You hear someone's baby cry

A rat runs down the alley
And a chill runs down your spine
Someone walks across your grave
And you wish the sun would shine
Cause no one's gonna warn you
And no one's gonna yell 'Attack'
And you don't feel the steel
Till it's hanging out your back

I'm your Night Prowler, I sleep in the day
Night Prowler, get out of my way
Yes I'm the Night Prowler, watch you tonight
Yes I'm the Night Prowler, when you turn off the light ...

(Angus Guitar Solo)

Too scared to turn your light out
'Cos there's something on your mind
Was that a noise outside your window?
What's that shadow on the blind?
As you lie there naked
Like a body in a tomb
Suspended animation
As I slip into your room

I'm your Night Prowler, I sleep in the day
I'm your Night Prowler, get out of my way
Look out for the Night Prowler, watch you tonight
Yes I'm the Night Prowler, when you turn off the light ...

(Angus Guitar Solo)

I'm your Night Prowler, I sleep in the day
I'm your Night Prowler, get out of my way
Look out for the Night Prowler, watch you tonight
I'm the Night Prowler, when you turn off the light ...

I'm your Night Prowler, break down your door
I'm your Night Prowler, crawling 'cross your floor
I'm your Night Prowler, make a mess of you, yes I will
Night Prowler, and I am telling this to you
There ain't nothing you can do...
End Notes:
TBC ... Uht-oh! How will Buffy convince Spike that she's not a threat? Ok - get your minds out of the gutter now - that's NOT the plan! :) We are going to stick with Annie and Buffy for a while, so your worry about MacKenzie, along with Spike and Bess (and Angel?) will need to be on the back-burner for a little while. You know I love hearing from you!! Don't be shy!
Faithfully by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Will Buffy and Annie’s biggest threat in the Gift-less world be from Spike?
**
Music Referenced: Faithfully, Journey  http://youtu.be/OMD8hBsA-RI
**
ScreenCaps courtesy of ScreenCap Paradise: http://www.screencap-paradise.com/?cat=3
**
Thanks to Capella42 for her great suggestions that made the whole story better. Thanks also to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter and to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Present day, Friday, April 15th, 2011, Gift-less Dimension:

“Papa, no!” Annie screamed. Her judgment clouded by fright and exhaustion, she jumped up from the floor next to her mother and threw herself at the vamp holding a blade to her mother's throat.

When she hit Spike, not with anger, but with fear and desperation, and wrapped her arms around him, it caused his whole body to rock back. The sharp blade pulled away from Buffy’s throat just enough in that moment. Buffy reacted immediately. She ducked under the weapon, swiping at it and grabbing the thin blade of the double-edged sword between her palms. Before Spike knew what had happened, she jabbed the hilt of it back at him, striking him in the chest hard, then she wrapped one hand around it firmly and jerked it back violently, dislodging it from his grip.



Buffy yanked Annie away from Spike with her free hand as she knocked the vamp’s feet out from under him with her legs. Spike fell backwards, landing on the floor with a bang and a crack of his skull against the hard wood. Buffy dove atop him and pressed the sword across his throat. It cut into his flesh as he lay on his back just inside the front door.

“I don’t want to kill you,” Buffy told him, a barely veiled threat.

“But you’ll dust me good and proper if ya have to,” Spike finished as he looked up at her, his arms bent, his hands up in surrender near his head. “Sing me a new one, Slayer. Even after ten bloody years o’ not hearing it, that one’s gone stale.”

Buffy ignored his rambling and stayed focused. “Listen to me now – I know the Buffy from this dimension is dead, but I’m not from here. We got sucked into a portal and dropped into that damn bug pit and all I want is to take my daughter and go home. Then you can go back to being the Biggest Bad; no harm, no foul,” Buffy explained, trying to keep her voice even.

“Right, and I reckon the Easter Bunny and Santa’ll be showing up any minute now, too,” Spike quipped as he sized up the situation and worked on a new plan.

“And in any dimension you remain the most stubborn, pig-headed vampire I’ve ever known,” Buffy groaned, rolling her eyes, but never letting up off the blade at his throat.



They both looked at each other for several moments in silence, each trying to formulate a plan of what to do next.

Finally Buffy said, “Spike, it’s really me. You can’t tell me you don’t remember what I smell like, what I taste like. Taste this,” she offered as she released one hand from the weapon. She held her sliced palm, the one she’d used to grab the blade with, over his mouth.

Her blood dripped from the gash freely and splashed onto his lips and his tongue. It tasted like nirvana; manna from heaven.

“It’s a trick,” he objected even as he licked the drops from his lips, not wanting to miss even the smallest speck of the liquid gold.

Buffy shook her head slowly. “No, it’s not. Blood doesn’t lie and you know it. I’m gonna let you up now. Please don’t do anything stupid, because if I have to choose between you and our … my daughter, I’ll choose her every time.”

Buffy backed off his legs slowly, bringing the sword with her, and stood up near the stairs. She pulled Annie back with her, keeping the tip of the sword trained on Spike. He was still laying on his back, his eyes were closed and, even if they were open, his brown curls had fallen over them like a veil. She wanted to see his eyes. If she could just see his eyes, maybe she could tell if he believed her or not.

Spike’s head was spinning. Between the knot on his head, her blood, her hips pressed against his, and her unmistakable aroma, he was left with a dizzying sensation that vacillated between giddy joy, unbridled desire, and wary suspicion. Finally, he propped himself up on his elbows, shaking his hair out of his eyes, and watched her closely. She moved like Buffy, she talked like Buffy, she certainly felt, tasted, and smelled like Buffy, she kicked his ass like Buffy. Could she really be Buffy? Not some new trick The First was playing on him?

He turned his eyes to the girl at her side. “What’s your name?” he asked, narrowing his eyes and watching the child closely for signs of deception.

“Annie … Anne Joyce Weckerly,” Annie replied solemnly as she hugged her mother’s side.

Spike blinked. His brows furrowed and he looked from Annie to Buffy and back again. “Weckerly?” he questioned. He hadn’t heard that name in … well, longer than he could even remember. Perhaps he was dreaming. That would explain all this – surely that must be what this was, some kind of a dream from which he’d awaken at any moment.

“Who’s your father?” he questioned the girl as he pushed up to a sitting position.

“You are,” Annie offered timidly.

“No – he’s not,” Buffy corrected her sternly, casting a steely gaze at Spike. She watched him closely, trying to decide what to do. His eyes had changed – they seemed ... harder somehow; colder. She couldn't tell if he believed them or not.

Spike stood up slowly, running a hand through his unruly, brown curls. He regarded the two grimy, bloody girls that stood in front of him carefully. The blonde looked exactly like a ghost; it seemed impossible. He’d buried that girl with his own hands over ten years ago. “And who’s your mum?”



Annie looked up at Buffy, confused by why he kept asking these crazy questions. “What’s wrong with him?”

“He’s not our Spike, honey. He’s not your dad. He’s from here; your dad’s still back home. He’ll come looking for us if we can’t get back soon,” she assured Annie, although she wasn’t too sure about when exactly that would be or even how he, Bess, and Angel had fared against the sea demon.

Spike was watching and listening with rapt attention, hands on his hips, eyes narrowed in concentration. He decided to take a different tack; fighting her hadn’t worked particularly well.

“You’re hurt,” Spike observed, slowly moving to the side of the blade that was trained on him and reaching for Annie’s arm.

“I’m ok,” she assured him, as he tenderly turned her arm back and forth, examining the deep gash that she’d gotten in the parking lot.

She felt like a real girl. Smelled, cried, bled, screamed bloody-murder like a real girl … and he should know.

“Needs t’ be cleaned, don’t want an infection settin’ in,” he offered gently as Buffy watched him warily, keeping the sword at the ready.

“Is there any water … bandages … food?” Buffy asked him, lowering the sword slightly.

Spike drew his eyes up from the wound on Annie’s arm and met Buffy’s. The fluttering in his chest returned. Could this really be Buffy? When he’d gone to the cemetery, checked her grave and found it undisturbed, he was sure it was some kind of trick, but now … he didn’t know what to think. And this girl … she thought he was her father? How could that be true in any dimension?

He swallowed hard. There was a cacophony of warning bells blaring in his mind. This was a trick, some kind of trap, the warnings screamed at him. But he hadn’t survived this long, hadn’t become the Biggest Bad in a world of big bads, by listening to his mind. He’d done it as he’d done everything else in his unlife – with his gut, his heart. And the fluttering in his heart was overpowering the warning bells in his brain.

Spike dropped Annie’s arm and nodded slightly. “I’ll … get some supplies. Be back as soon as I can,” he offered before taking a step back, then turning and heading out the door. “Lock the door, stay quiet. More than just vamps out ‘ere,” he advised.



“Spike! Wait!” Buffy called, stepping towards him. Should she let him leave? What if he came back with reinforcements? What if he came back with Dru or ... maybe he had some of those big red-eyed vamps as minions. It could be a trick – a deadly trick. When he turned back to face her, his gaze met Buffy's and for the briefest of moments she thought she saw his heart through the wall of steel he'd erected. She extended the handle of the sword to him. “You might need this.”

Spike looked down at the hilt of the sword, then back up to meet her eyes again. The light fluttering in his chest turned into giant wings of joy soaring within him as he took the weapon from her. The warning bells in his mind turned into a beautiful carillon playing a dulcet, melodious refrain. He dared not speak but simply nodded and turned again, heading out into the perpetual twilight.

Buffy closed and locked the front door, then checked the kitchen door and did the same.

Apart from the fact that all the weapons chests and cupboards were emptied, it looked as if the Buffy that had lived here had simply gone out for a walk and would return at any moment. Dishes, with the remains of whatever last meal had been eaten permanently stuck to them, sat in the sink. A coffee mug sat on the counter with the dry, brown remnants of the coffee still coating the bottom of it. Coats hung on the rack near the front door, a pile of neatly folded kitchen towels sat on the dining room table, waiting to be put away. It all looked vaguely familiar to Buffy and she knew it was due to the dream-like memories that the PTB dropped into her mind from the other dimension.

Sure they were as secure as they could get, she and Annie went upstairs to find some clean clothes as they waited for Spike to return.

Upstairs, her mom’s room looked just as Buffy had left it after Joyce passed. She could never bring herself to move anything, to touch anything in that room after her mother died; not in any world. When she’d let Anya and Xander move into the house ‘back home’, they had cleared everything out and boxed it up for her. Those boxes sat in the basement on Crawford Street for many months before she had the courage to go through them.

Annie pulled Buffy out of her melancholy by asking, “Who’s Dawn?”

“Hmmm?” Buffy questioned, then saw the nameplate on the outside of one of the bedroom doors. A sign beneath it said, ‘Caution! You are now entering the ‘whatever’ zone.’

Buffy smiled sadly and opened the door to that room. “She was my sister. In this dimension, she was the Key,” Buffy tried to explain.

“I didn’t know you had a sister,” Annie told her as Buffy started looking through the dresser drawers in Dawn’s room for some clean clothes that would fit her daughter.



“I don’t … but …” Buffy sighed and sat down on the bed, pulling Annie with her. “You know there are lots of dimensions, right?” she asked her and Annie nodded. “Well, in this dimension, the Buffy that lived here had a sister named Dawn. She was the one created by the monks to hide the Key, instead of you.”

“Why’s dad … uhhh … or not dad but kinda …” Annie’s face scrunched up in consternation. “Why’s he acting so weird?” she finally settled on.

“Things were different here. We weren’t married … we weren’t … we weren’t anything really, I guess friends … sort of,” Buffy stammered, not really certain herself what in this dimension might be different than what she remembered. “That’s why they created Dawn instead of you.”

“Oh,” Annie whispered, looking down at her hands. “So … what should I call him? Spike?”

“Yeah, that might be best. You keep calling him ‘Dad’ and he’s probably gonna just keep freaking out,” Buffy advised.

“There’s blood here,” Annie noticed, looking down at the sheets where they were sitting. “Did Dawn die?”

Buffy and Annie both stood up and looked at the stains on the bed. It wasn’t a lot, but it was definitely blood. “I don’t know,” Buffy answered honestly. Obviously, whatever happened here wasn’t what she remembered.

“Here, let’s see what we can find to wear, ok?” Buffy suggested, changing the subject as she started looking through drawers again.

**~**

After finding some clothes for Annie to change into, they went into Buffy’s room and she pulled out some clean clothes for herself.

“There’s blood here, too,” Annie observed, looking at the bed.

Buffy set the clothes down on the dresser and walked to the end of the bed. The pastel comforter that lay across the mattress looked like a funeral shroud; the outline of a body, made in blood, clearly evident. Buffy shuddered slightly. Apparently someone had brought her back here after she died. Probably Spike.

“How do you think you … or she … this Buffy died?” Annie asked, looking at the bed.



Buffy shook her head. “She probably fell or jumped off something very high,” she guessed. Like Glory’s tower, she added to herself silently.

“Like a fire escape?” Annie queried, turning her eyes from the bed to her mother.

Buffy gave her a sad smile and pulled her into a hug. “Maybe … yeah, something like that.”

**~**

When Spike returned, Buffy got Annie cleaned up, her wounds disinfected and the long gash in her arm bandaged. After that, Annie changed into some old clothes they had found in Dawn’s closet. Buffy was sure the clothes would’ve been too small for Dawn. They were probably too good or too well liked to be put in the donations or rag box, so they’d been relegated to the back of the closet. They fit Annie perfectly.

Annie lay down on the bed, which had fresh, or at least non-blood-stained, sheets on it, and Buffy covered her up. “Try to get some rest now, ok?” Buffy admonished her. “I have a feeling tomorrow’s going to be another fun-filled day.”

Annie gave her mom a small smile, her features illuminated in the dark by the flickering of a small birthday candle that Buffy had found earlier in the back of a drawer in the kitchen. “Can we go home tomorrow?” Annie asked solemnly. “I don’t like it here.”

Buffy shook her head slightly but gave her girl a reassuring smile. “We’ll try,” was the best she could promise.

“You did so well today,” Buffy offered, brushing some stray hair back from her daughter’s face. “You were very brave. How did you get to be so brave?”

Annie smiled despite all the weariness and pain in her limbs and body from the exertion of the day. “I wasn’t brave. I was just scared.”

“If your dad was here, he’d say that all bravery is is being the only one who knows you’re scared,” Buffy assured her.

“I’m pretty sure the whole world knew I was scared by all the running and screaming,” Annie countered, rolling her eyes.

Buffy laughed lightly. “Well, sometimes being brave is just having the courage to run away. We’re here, aren’t we? That means they didn’t win,” Buffy pointed out.

Annie nodded thoughtfully. “But we didn’t win, either. It was a tie.”

“Yeah, I guess – but now we have more help and tomorrow we’ll get some real weapons. Your dad is gonna be so proud of you getting those fence pickets! You know what he’d say? He’d say you were ‘resourceful, like your mum,’” Buffy copied Spike’s accent badly. “He’d say you were a ‘bitty Buffy’.”

Annie smiled again and nodded. She liked that. She liked the idea that she’d inherited some Slayer skills from her mother and had been able to help in the fight today. A bubble of satisfaction swelled in her chest. After being sheltered for so long under her parents’ wings, Annie had proved today that she could fly. She could hear her father’s voice in her head, despite Buffy’s bad impersonation, and see the pride sparkle in his eyes. “Let’s go home tomorrow and tell him, ok?”

Buffy nodded. “We’ll try,” she offered again as she dropped a soft kiss on her daughter’s forehead. “I love you, sweet girl. Close your eyes now, get some sleep.”

“I love you too, Mom,” Annie replied as she closed her eyes. Despite thinking earlier that she would never be able to sleep in this crazy, scary place, her exhaustion overcame her almost immediately.

**~**

Buffy closed the door to Dawn’s bedroom with a heavy sigh, closing her eyes and leaning against it. It had been a long day … a very, very long day.



“Get ‘er to sleep, then?” Spike asked as he waited near the bathroom door.

“Yeah,” Buffy affirmed as she pushed off the door and headed towards him. She wanted nothing more than to walk up to Spike, wrap her arms around him and take comfort in his embrace, but this wasn’t her husband, she had to remember that. Spike, her Spike, would be here to find them soon, she assured herself. If they couldn’t find a way to get back through the portal, he and their friends would find a way to get to them. Then she could have that comforting hug.

“Ready to get you cleaned up?” Spike questioned, cocking a brow at her bloodied clothes.

“I … I can do it,” she stammered, suddenly self-conscious.

“Oh, got eyes in the back o’ your head, do ya? And arms that reach back there, too, I suppose,” he chided her.

Buffy had almost forgotten the wounds on her back from the … something … bats maybe, she couldn’t remember anymore. “What’s a gob of bats called, anyway?” she asked Spike, seemingly out of the blue.

“Pardon?”

“A gob of bats … is it a flock? Or a bunch or … herd … a pack, maybe?” she questioned as she moved past him into the candlelit bathroom and began cleaning the wounds she could reach.

Spike turned to watch her, leaning on the jamb as she started wiping her skin down with the water he’d brought. She paid close attention to all the scratches and punctures, the deep slice on her palm, and the jagged torn flesh on her neck.

“A colony … or a camp,” he answered. “Here, let me – I can see better,” he offered, taking the washcloth from her hands and cleaning the spots that she’d missed in the dim light.

“A colony,” Buffy repeated. “That sounds so … civilized. Those bats were definitely not civilized.”

Spike shrugged as he gently cleaned the wound on her neck, pausing when his eyes drifted to the marks on the other side of her neck. He reached a finger out and touched the white scar there, which stood out from her otherwise sun-kissed skin. Every vampire’s bite was unique, like a finger print, and there was no mistaking who had created that scar. Spike’s mind whirled. Who was this Buffy that would’ve let him get that close to her? Let him bite her, not just once but many times over?

“You ok?” Buffy asked, pulling him out of his musings.

Spike cleared his throat and nodded. “You’re gonna have t’ take your shirt off, Slayer. Can’t clean those wounds on your back with it on,” he informed her.

“Oh … right,” Buffy stammered, turning her back to him and lifting her shirt off over her head. She could feel him staring at her in the mirror, although she couldn’t see him, and she quickly held her shirt up over her chest, despite the cover of her bra.



Spike shifted uncomfortably and turned his attention to the deep puncture wounds and scratches on her back from the first bat that had attacked her. They stood in an awkward silence for a long while as he cleaned her wounds with the water, dropping her bra strap off her shoulder so he could get them all thoroughly. Then he pressed cotton balls soaked with alcohol onto her raw flesh. Buffy winced as the disinfectant stung her back and Spike muttered a soft apology.

Buffy turned around to face him before he’d finished, and locked her eyes on his. “What happened here, Spike?”

Spike stood transfixed by her eyes. His hand with an alcohol soaked cotton ball hung in midair from where she’d interrupted his ministrations. He couldn’t help but think how much she looked exactly like Buffy … his Buffy. She hadn’t aged a day. It was as if the last ten years didn’t even exist, but the wounds on her flesh contradicted that. The demons ruled; they had for over a decade.

Finally, he sighed, set the cotton and alcohol bottle down on the counter, and ran a hand back through his long hair. “Let’s get you cleaned up, yeah? Then I’ll give ya the whole, tragic tale.”

Buffy nodded and took a small step back, still holding her shirt up in front of her. “I think I can get the rest,” she told him softly. “Thanks.”



Spike pursed his lips together and nodded, stepping back and out of the bathroom. Buffy closed the door and dropped her grimy clothes on the floor, finished cleaning up, and then pulled on clean clothes she’d gotten out of … her room … or not her room, but Buffy’s room. Some other Buffy’s room.

When she emerged from the bathroom, she had all clean clothes and underclothes on and her hair pulled back into a ponytail at the nape of her neck. She wished she could’ve washed her hair, but there just wasn’t that much water.

Spike pushed off the wall where he’d been leaning waiting for her. “You should eat somethin’,” he advised, holding up a can of green beans and a can of creamed corn. Earlier, Annie had eaten the can of chicken noodle soup he’d brought with him.

Buffy smiled softly. “You’re stalling,” she informed him, but he just held the cans up higher and shook them in front of her, silently insisting she choose one.

“Corn,” she finally agreed and Spike gave her a small smile, then brought the demon up and opened the can with his fangs before handing it, along with a spoon, to her.

“Let’s sit, ok?” she offered, waving a hand at the stairs.

“Better to stay up here, luv. Less chance o’ being seen … or smelled, from the street,” he pointed out as he went into the bathroom and snuffed the candle there with his fingers, casting the entire house back into complete darkness. Not only was that safer, but candles weren’t easy to come by.

“Oh … ok,” Buffy agreed, going into her room and sitting down on the bed.

Spike stood in the doorway. He stuffed his hands down into the pockets of his jeans and shifted from one foot to the other, looking down at the floor as Buffy began to eat the canned corn. He’d been in her room many times since … since she’d died. He’d even made secret forays in here before that. But only once had he been in here with her actually in the room with him … and alive. ‘Every time you show up like this, you risk all of your parts, you know that?’ her words from that one night rang in his mind. He looked up at her – she was actually there. Right there. It seemed so strange to have her inviting him into her room now – like they were …



Buffy broke him out his thoughts when she noticed him staring at her … or actually through her, like he was looking through the translucent figure of a ghost. “You okay?”

“Fine…”

The room was dark, not even any moonlight graced the un-curtained window. The constant smoke in the air blocked the night sky, just as it covered the sun in the daytime, but he could see her clearly and it gave him pause. Buffy. Buffy was home.

“Sit down. I won’t bite you,” she invited, waving her hand at the bed.

“Right,” Spike agreed, but instead sat down on the floor next to the bed, spreading his legs out in front of him and leaning his back against the side of the mattress.

Buffy sighed and nodded slightly. That would be better … less chance of giving in to the urge to hug him.

She sat back against the headboard as she ate the cold creamed corn from the can. It pretty much tasted like ‘can’ rather than corn, but did fill part of the empty space in her belly, at least.

“So,” Buffy began when Spike didn’t say anything. “Once upon a time in Sunnydale …”

Spike cleared his throat. “Right, then,” he began before launching into a tale of a vamp and a Slayer and her pesky friends and middle-aged Watcher turned shopkeeper in Sunnydale. Buffy had lived some of this story, heard most of the rest – or more accurately had it dropped into her memories, before. Right up to the point of Glory knocking the tower down, that was new.

When he paused, Buffy asked, “So, I know I’m dead, what about Dawn? Where’s she?”

“Back at base camp … that’s what we call it, at any rate. In the old Initiative headquarters, under the university,” Spike explained.

Buffy make an ‘eeek’ face that she didn’t think he could see, but he could actually see her reflected in the mirror that sat on the dresser to the side of the bed, directly in front of him.

“It was the easiest place to defend… no windows, only limited access points,” he explained further, before she could ask.

“And she’s … okay?”



Spike shook his head slightly. “No … she’s … she never … I’m so sorry, Buffy. I swear I tried, I …” Spike’s voice cracked and he swallowed hard, wiping at tears that threatened to fall from his eyes. “She never woke up. She’s alive but – in a coma, I reckon. That’s what the doc we had there for a while said. Couldn’t find anything physical wrong, a mental break, he said.

“I keep hopin’ one day…” Spike continued swallowing back his emotions. “Maybe now you’re here. Maybe if you talk to her, she’ll come back to us.”

“What about … Who else is in your group?” Buffy asked with trepidation, not sure she really wanted to know who did or didn’t make it.

Spike took a deep breath and let it out slowly, pulling his emotions back under control. “Got about thirty people left in our group now – had more at one time, but ...” his voice trailed off and he shrugged. Buffy took that to mean they’d been slowly getting killed by the demons. “Most were strangers, came to us looking for help. Ones that you’d know … uhhh … Harris and Glinda. Red’s wolf-boy Oz showed up ‘bout a month after – he comes and goes though, prefers a solitary life. I reckon you might know geek-boy Warren and his puppy, Andrew… uhhh,” Spike paused for a few long moments as he thought, then finally concluded, “I reckon that’s it.”

Buffy’s brows shot up. “That’s it?! Willow? Giles? Anya?” Buffy asked and Spike shook his head. Buffy closed her eyes and took a deep breath, again reminding herself that this was not her world. “What about Angel and his group in L.A.?” she asked at length.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Peaches came down when it first happened, but he went back to L.A. a long time ago – never came back,” Spike explained. “Shame that,” he added sarcastically.

“So … is the whole world this way or just here? How far have they spread?” Buffy wondered.

“Not rightly sure,” Spike admitted. “Anyone that leaves never comes back – not sure if that means they got out or just got turned into Happy Meals.”

“You’ve never tried to get out?” Buffy questioned.

Spike shook his head. “At first, thought we could fight ‘em back … but there were just too many. Then the doc we had said not to move Dawn, could make it worse, so I didn’t dare it. When the Hellmouth started spewing them uber-vamps out, they started killing off the Otherworld demons. Helped a good bit, that did. Now got no way t’ get out. None of the cars’ll run, petrol is long gone and I reckon you’ve seen how hard it is to move about on the streets.”

“What about a Slayer? Who’s the Slayer?” Buffy asked him.

Spike shook his head. “Don’t know if Faith’s still about or …” Spike shrugged. “Whoever the Chosen One is, she ain’t choosin’ to be ‘round here.”

“I’m sorry,” Buffy offered softly. “I’m … I’m sorry I let you down. I know you did everything you could, Spike.”

Spike shook his head. “No … I … I let you down, Buffy. Gave ya’ my word and …” Spike’s voice trailed off and he turned and looked up at her. “I saved you, not when it mattered, of course, but after that … every night after that, I saved you both hundreds of times, dozens of different ways. I could’a been just a little faster, a little smarter...

“Three thousand, six hundred and fifteen days, Buffy. For three thousand, six hundred and fifteen days I’ve dreamed of saving you. I’ve stayed ‘ere, protected Dawn, fought the demons of the Otherworld and the ones that poured outta the Hellmouth. I turned m’ heart into stone and waited for some miracle to come along. And here you are,” Spike admitted, reaching a hand out and laying it over hers where it rested on the bed.



Buffy blinked tears back and swallowed the lump in her throat as she shook her head. “I’m no miracle, Spike … I’m just … an accident.”

“Sometimes ya gotta take what you can get, pet,” Spike observed, squeezing her hand.

“I can’t stay here, Spike – this isn’t my place. We have … I have a family, friends – people who depend on me back home,” Buffy explained softly.

Spike nodded sadly. “I know,” he admitted. “Does that … do those friends include … me?”

The tears Buffy was trying to hold back burst from her eyes and streaked her cheeks and she nodded, unable to speak.

“And the girl … Anne? She’s … mine? I’m really ‘er father?”

Again Buffy nodded, trying to swallow back her emotions. She knew how hard this must be for him. He’d toiled and fought and suffered with no chance of ever seeing the woman he loved again. Then, in a quirk of fate, she was here! Hope must’ve swelled within him, only to be dashed painfully with the realization that she couldn’t stay. It was like the universe was playing a cruel joke on him, building him up just so it could yank everything away at the last moment; like Lucy yanking the football away from the hapless Charlie Brown.



Her time in the Wish World came back to her. She’d been in that hell for only five years before she’d given up; Spike had been in this one over ten. But, of course, his mission wasn’t complete. Dawn was still alive, in a coma, but still alive. He’d promised to protect her until the end of the world, and Buffy knew that he would – no matter how long that was.

“And … her name …” Spike pressed further.

“Your mother’s … and mine,” Buffy confirmed what she knew he already knew.

“Tell me, Buffy – tell me about your world.”

And so Buffy did. She told him of how he’d helped her defeat Angelus and Acathla and how he’d gotten his soul restored by accident. She told him about Dru dusting and Annie being the Key and a very abridged, Reader’s Digest version of nearly everything since then.

Spike sat in silence and listened, like a child enthralled with a fantastic, dreamy bedtime story because for him, that’s what it was – a dream. In fact, it was more than anything he’d ever dared to dream, it was a fairy tale. Spike’s heart was lifted with joy when she told him of their children and their friends. He honestly couldn’t believe her contention that he was loved and respected by her friends … their friends, or how he’d been accepted into the group. But, at the same time pangs of jealousy stabbed into that elation and weighed heavily on his heart. Why had one Spike been granted such a wonderful gift, practically cast into heaven, while he had been forgotten, left to this dreary existence in the depths of what could only be described as hell on earth? It seemed iniquitous and unfathomable, and again Spike thought that God must have a terribly sick sense of humor.

When Buffy had finished her fairy tale she’d thought of some other questions for Spike. When he didn’t seem to have any questions for her, she forged ahead. “Can I ask you a couple more things?”

“Anything.”

“What happened to Glory?”

Spike shrugged. “Reckon she got where she was going. Never saw ‘er since …” his voice trailed off.

Buffy nodded solemnly. “What’s with the smoke?” she asked, waving a hand at the dark window and sky beyond.

“The vamps … the ones from the Otherworld, started it. The fires burn constantly to block out the sun so they can … we can move about during the day,” Spike explained.

“For ten years? What are they burning?”

Spike shrugged. “Smells like tires … not rightly sure. Never actually saw the fires, just the smoke.”

“So, they can dust in the sun then – like … regular vamps? Those Jack O’ Lantern basketball vamps and the bats, too?”

Spike nodded, smiling slightly at her description of the tall, thin vamps from the Otherworld. “Rutilus Diabolus vamps,” he informed her.

“Huh?”

“The proper name of the … Jack O’ Lantern basketball vamps, pet – Rutilus Diabolus.”

“Right. Like I said – Jack O’ Lantern basketball vamps. I think we’ll just call them ‘Jacks’ for short.”



Spike laughed lightly. He’d missed her way of looking at the world, even if the world was full of Jack O’ Lantern basketball vamps. “We call ‘em ‘Reds’,” he offered.

Buffy shrugged. “Po-taaa-to, po-taww-to.

“Are the Turok-Han still coming out of the Hellmouth?” she asked next.

Again Spike nodded. “They take it in spells – a bunch’ll come out, we’ll fight ‘em … kill a few. The rest? I reckon they disperse … maybe head for redder pastures. Not much left here for ‘em to eat.”

“Where do you get the water and the food and other supplies?”

“Got a well … a pump that geek-boy Warren ‘MacGyvered’ down in the base camp for the water.  There’s an old generator the soldiers left that’s tapped into natural gas – he got that working again. He’s a right wanker, but knows his stuff with all that rot. Surprised really he hasn’t run off – been here since the start, reckon he’s too much of a ponce to dare it alone.

“Thankfully, the soldier boys lived by the Boy Scout pledge – prepared for apocalypse number … whatever this one was.

“We raise some food. The canned goods and other supplies we scavenged from houses, the hospital, schools and the like for a while. Now we have t’ go to the docks and plunder in the holds of the ships that were left there,” Spike explained.

Buffy nodded thoughtfully. She didn’t think she’d ever actually met Warren in her life, but she definitely remembered him as the leader of the … What did they call themselves? The Trio of Geeky Desperation or something like that? She was surprised by his presence in this world and even more by him helping them. Perhaps he wasn’t helping the others so much as himself. That would make more sense.

“You don’t have your chip anymore,” it was more an observation than a question.

Spike looked up at her and shrugged slightly. “Actually do … it’s still floating around in there, it just don’t work anymore,” he told her, tapping a finger on the back of his head. “Started firing willy-nilly one day … bloody painful, that was. Thought for sure I was done for. Wouldn’t stop, just on and on,” he continued. “Geek-boy was able to use some of the equipment down there to disarm it … finally. Took him bloody long enough. Had a soddin’ migraine for a bloody month after that.”


“But you’re still not feeding off humans.” Buffy posed it like a fact, but it was really a question.

Spike shook his head and shrugged. “Outta the habit, I reckon. Don’t smoke anymore, either.”

Buffy smiled. Only Spike would compare not killing people to giving up smoking.

“You probably ran out of cigarettes,” she guessed.

Spike shrugged again. “Yeah, well … still counts as quittin’.”

Spike suddenly pulled his legs up under him and stood up. “You should get some kip, pet. I’ll stand watch.”

Buffy frowned. She was exhausted, but she didn’t want him to leave. On the other hand, she didn’t know how to ask him to stay without it sounding like she was offering him more than she could give.

“You can’t … stand watch here?” she asked hesitantly.

“Best downstairs,” he replied, his tone clipped as he moved toward the door and stepped through. “Good night,” he called softly as he pulled the door closed behind him.

“Good night,” Buffy whispered back to the empty room.



**~**

{{Click here to hear Faithfully by Journey on YouTube  }}


Highway run
Into the midnight sun
Wheels go round and round
You're on my mind
Restless hearts
Sleep alone tonight
Sending all my love
Along the wire

They say that the road
Ain't no place to start a family
Right down the line
It's been you and me
And lovin' a music man
Ain't always what it's supposed to be
Oh, girl, you stand by me
I'm forever yours
Faithfully

Circus life
Under the big top world
We all need the clowns
To make us smile
Through space and time
Always another show
Wondering where I am
Lost without you

And being apart
Ain't easy on this love affair
Two strangers learn to fall in love again
I get the joy of rediscovering you
Oh, girl, you stand by me
I'm forever yours
Faithfully

Whooa, oh-oh-ooh
Whooa, oh-oh-ooh, oh
Whooa, oh-oh-oh, oh-whoooooa-oh
Faithfully
I'm still yours

I'm forever yours
Ever yours
Faithfully
End Notes:
TBC ... Where do they go from here? Lots more to come ... stay tuned! Don't be shy, you know I love to hear from you!
Beggars and Choosers by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Buffy, Annie, and Gift-less!Spike travel to the vineyard to retrieve the scythe then back to the base camp. Spike has a bit of news that he ‘forgot’ to mention to Buffy earlier.
**~**
Music Referenced: Beggars and Choosers, Soul Asylum http://youtu.be/RVKTKed4eYE
**
ScreenCaps courtesy of ScreenCap Paradise: http://www.screencap-paradise.com/?cat=3
**
Thanks to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter and to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Thanks also to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Early morning hours of the next day, Saturday, April, 16th, 2011, Gift-less Dimension:


Buffy lay in her bed and tried to sleep. Despite her exhaustion, sleep was an elusive butterfly that fluttered only briefly in the corners of her mind, not allowing her to get any real rest. Her mind was its own worst enemy as thoughts and worries bombarded her from all sides. Worries about MacKenzie, left alone in the minivan strapped into her carrier, and worries about Spike and Bess and how they had fared against the sea demon were the backdrop to her mental operetta. In the foreground, thoughts of how she and Annie were going to get back to their own world with a huge demon doodlebug pit in the way and flying vampire bats bombarding them from the air took center stage.

She tried to tell herself that MacKenzie would be alright. Buffy’d left the door of the van open and it wasn’t that hot or cold that day. Surely some Good Samaritan … what she might’ve once called a ‘busybody’, would notice the baby and call the police. Now that she had time to really concentrate, she tried to contact Spike through the bond. She knew that it would be an exercise in futility before she even started, but had to try. Futility won; there was no response. She wondered if she could get to him in their dreams, like she had in the Wish World, but deep sleep was so far from her grasp that she couldn’t even try.

The silence in the room rang in her ears, literally, and the darkness was almost painfully black when she opened her eyes. Not one clock ticked or motor hummed, not one car passed on the street, not one truck rumbled down the freeway in the distance, not one radio played, not one computer dinged its announcement of an email being received. She couldn’t even hear any crickets chirping outside or dogs barking. There were no electronics blinking little green 12:00s at her, no little dots of light from the cable box or the TV staring back at her from the dark, no night lights, no little red light from the smoke detector standing watch above her.  She’d never heard so much silence or seen so much nothingness.

After tossing and turning for what seemed hours, she finally got up and went into the dark hallway. She didn’t actually need a light here. Despite the years since she’d lived in this house, every inch, every creaky floorboard, was still ingrained in her memories.

She walked to the stairs and started down slowly, silently, not wanting to wake Spike if he was sleeping on the couch rather than actually standing watch. She stopped halfway down, frozen, as he came into view. He was backlit by a glowing yellow light from outside as he stood in front of the large picture-window in the living room. For a moment, Buffy thought that they were lights from a distant city on the horizon – perhaps L.A.  Slowly, she realized it was the wrong direction for L.A., or any other city large enough to light the sky. She furrowed her brow as she thought, then it dawned on her. It was the glow from the ever-burning fires the demons kept stoked to block out the sun. Despite the reason for the light in the distance, she was happy for it. It made her eyes feel like they still had a purpose.

She turned her attention back to Spike. He was standing watch, literally. His feet were spread apart, his left hand rested on the hilt of his sword, the tip of which was on the floor near his left foot. From the bend in his right elbow she knew his other hand was hooked over his belt buckle, despite the fact that she couldn’t actually see it. Sometime between the time he’d left her and now, he’d cut his hair and bleached it. She could see the light from outside the windows reflected off the now near-white crown he wore. She wasn’t sure how she felt about that. It was easier to see him as Not-Her-Spike with the curly mane of brown. This way was going to be harder, for her and Annie. On the other hand she knew without a doubt why he’d done it – for her, because she was ‘back’, and that touched her deep down inside.

Despite not being able to feel his soul before when he caught them at his ‘Buffy altar’, now that everything was still and utterly silent, she thought she could just get a whisper of it. She always thought there was some of William’s soul left in him, a part that the demon couldn’t completely vanquish, and now she was certain of it.




As she studied him, he turned his head slowly, as if just sensing her, and met her eyes across the darkness of the room. Buffy cleared her throat nervously and tried to act like she was just then coming down the stairs, hoping he didn’t know how long she’d been standing there.

Spike turned back towards the window as she stepped up next to him. “Penny …” she offered quietly.

Spike snorted. “You’d get the short end o’ that bargain, pet.”

“It’s my penny – try me.”

Spike sighed and turned to face her, his look serious. “Buffy, the people here – they aren’t the people you know or … knew. They’ve changed, we all have. Don’t trust anyone. Not even me.”

“Spiiike,” Buffy whined as if to contradict him.

“No, Slayer!” Spike growled angrily, picking up the sword in his hand and flinging it tip-first into the wood floor so hard that it stuck there. He grabbed Buffy by the upper arms and held her tight, bending down slightly to look her directly in the eye and forcing her to focus on him. “Listen to me now. I may never have the stones t’ say this to ya again. Trust no one. Anyone gets in your way o’ leaving his hell, kill ‘em – human, demon, don’t matter. If I get in your way, dust me.



“We been livin’ in hell. When they find out there’s a way outta here – they’ll do anything to take it. If that means walkin’ over you, leaving you and that little bit here, they will. And that bloody well includes me. You need to decide now, Buffy – promise me right now: anyone gets in your way, you go through ‘em. There’s no mercy in war, and this is war.”

Buffy saw Spike’s eyes flash with flecks of gold as he spoke. He held her gaze for several long moments, waiting for her to make the promise. When she said nothing, he shook her and tightened his grip painfully on her upper arms. “Promise me, Slayer,” he demanded, his voice a barely contained snarl.

Buffy didn’t wince or pull back, but kept her gaze locked on his. She didn’t believe for one second that he would go and leave her and Annie here. “You’d never do that, Spike,” she finally informed him flatly.

“No? How ‘bout this then? You go … I follow ya, slip out just behind ya ‘fore the portal closes. I kill your Spike and take his place. That sound like somethin’ I would do?

“Never forget who I am, Slayer. I’m a monster. Trust no one. Make the promise,” Spike insisted.

Tears welled behind Buffy’s eyes and she blinked them back before they could surface. She couldn’t deny that it did sound like something a desperate, nearly soulless Spike would be tempted to do. Finally she nodded. “I promise.”

Spike nodded resolutely and released her arms as he stood back up straight.

“But you’re no monster,” she added. “You’re a man. You’re a man with a poet’s heart and a little piece of William’s soul still buried deep in you. I have to trust someone, Spike. I choose to trust you, to believe in you.”

“You’re a fool,” he informed her tersely as he pulled the sword out of the floor.

“Maybe,” she agreed.

He turned and offered the hilt to her. “This is yours. It’s the only thing that’ll make any dent in the Turok-Han or the Rutilus … errr … Jacks. Take it.”

Buffy looked at the sword. She hadn’t really focused on it before, but now she could see what it was: the sword that she used to send Angel to hell with and stop Acathla.



“Blessed by Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot,” Spike offered.

Buffy looked at him like he’d lost his mind. Spike shrugged. “Or some other muckity-muck knight; not rightly sure. Just know it works.”

Buffy laughed and rolled her eyes. “You keep it for now. If you don’t mind, tomorrow we should go out to the old Shadow Valley Vineyard north of town. There might be an even better weapon there I can use,” she related but then frowned. “Can we get out there? You know, past the Jacks and uber-vamps and those fucking bats?”

Spike’s brows rose in surprise. “Where’d you learn that pretty word, Slayer?”

Buffy shrugged. “I know lots of pretty words now, Spike. I even know what they mean.”

“Do tell,” Spike teased, giving her a saucy smile and trailing his tongue suggestively across his teeth.



“Maybe one day,” she teased back, giving him a sly smile in return. Right then, in that split second, she decided she would find a way to fix this for him.  There had to be a way, she just had to figure it out. Soon.

“You really should get some kip, Slayer. Long way out to that vineyard. Haveta take the sewers. The other vamps don’t care for ‘em much – no need for ‘em really, what with the lack of sunshine. It’s the safest way to get around.”

“You should rest too,” she advised him as she turned to head back upstairs.



“I’ll rest when I’m dead,” Spike retorted as he turned back towards the window and resumed his sentry duty.

“You are dead, dummy,” Buffy shot back as she mounted the stairs.

“Bloody hell … that’s a soddin’ pisser, then innit?”

**~**

Buffy awoke with a start to someone shaking her shoulder. She opened her eyes groggily, trying to get her bearings. Nothing looking familiar – the room, the bed, the posters on the walls; the only thing she recognized was Annie lying next to her. She tried to focus, to remember where she was.

“Get up, Slayer – gotta go! Jacks are back and they’ve brought friends,” he urged her sotto voce, trying not to be overheard by the demons gathering outside the house.

“Jacks…Cracker Jacks?” Buffy questioned as she sat up and Annie stirred next to her. Her brain was still a tangled web of dreams and nightmares; she wasn’t following what he was saying.

Her head felt like she’d downed a gallon of tequila and her body felt worse. Every muscle hurt and beyond that, when she moved she could feel injuries, bruises and cuts that had started to heal but, sadly, hadn’t yet.

“Noooo, bloody vampire Jacks. C’mon, get the girl, we gotta go,” Spike repeated, keeping his voice low but adamant.

Buffy looked around. She was in Dawn’s room – she finally remembered, she’d in come here to sleep with Annie the previous night. Buffy looked at the window – was it still night? It looked dark out, but then she remembered, it was never sunny in Sunnydale anymore.



“Now, Slayer!” Spike demanded, pulling the covers off her and Annie, grabbing her shoes and shoving them into her hands.

“Spike, Jacks ... are vampires,” she informed him unnecessarily, as her mind started coming into focus. “They can’t get in.”

“Yeah, but their friend the Molotov cocktail can. If you don’t fancy a marshmallow roast … where we are the marshmallows, we need to get outta here,” Spike explained quickly.

He handed Annie her shoes. She yawned widely and rubbed at her eyes with one hand, clutching the proffered shoes with the other. “What’s going on?” she asked in a voice raspy from so much screaming the day before.

“We haveta go, baby,” Buffy related, her brain finally completely focused as she quickly pulled her shoes on. Buffy got up and simply lifted Annie up into her arms, then followed Spike down the stairs.

Down in the basement, Spike opened a hidden door that led directly to the sewers just as Buffy heard glass breaking and the ‘whooosh’ of fire above them. Had that door always been there? Why didn’t Buffy know about it?

When she looked at him strangely, he shrugged. “I built it … after,” he explained as the trio made their way into the relative safety of the sewers. “I used to spend a good bit o’ time 'ere.”

“I’m sorry for the … you know,” she apologized tilting her head back towards the house which she was sure was engulfed in flames by now.

Spike shrugged again as he waited for Annie to get her shoes on, keeping a careful eye on the door they’d just come through. “No worries. Long as you and the little bit are safe, that’s all that matters now,” he assured her.

Spike’s sword was in its scabbard, the strap crossed over his chest, the hilt in easy reach of his left hand. In his right hand he held a duffel bag which contained what remained of the supplies and water that he’d brought them the previous night. When Annie was ready, he started north through the dark, but strangely dry, sewers towards the old vineyard with his two charges right on his heels.

**~**

At the vineyard, Buffy went downstairs to where she hoped the scythe would be while Spike and Annie waited in the empty cask room upstairs. All the wine, Spike had told Buffy, had long ago been taken back to the base camp and happily consumed. If Caleb was downstairs still guarding the scythe, Buffy didn’t want Annie near. She would’ve liked to have Spike with her, but refused to leave Annie alone, so that left only one choice. Buffy moved as silently as possible down into the bowels under the old winery, hoping to avoid a confrontation with Caleb, Bringers, or the Turok-Han. She hugged the wall and crept slowly down the stone stairs in pitch dark. She was really getting tired of pitch dark. It was getting on her nerves to be blind when she had two perfectly good eyes ready and willing to do their part in the fight against evil.

Buffy stopped after about six steps and tried to get her eyes to adjust, but it was useless. There wasn’t one flicker of light to be found.

Ok, you can do this, Buffy admonished herself silently as she closed her eyes, took a deep breath and let it out slowly, clearing her mind. She envisioned her spidey-senses weaving out into the darkness as a red mist, searching for the tell-tale vibes of a vampire or demon in the cavern. Nothing came back to her – her senses said the area was clear.

**~**

Upstairs, Spike backed Annie into a corner and faced out away from her, standing guard, on alert for any movement in the dark room. He had no problem seeing. A small amount of light filtered in from outside through some cracks in the walls; it wasn’t much, but he didn’t need much.

After several minutes of waiting in silence, Annie observed, “You changed your hair.”

Spike turned slightly to look at her. “Yeah. Does it … look alright, then?”



Annie pursed her lips together and nodded.

“Couldn’t get the bloody curls t’ lay flat. All the soddin’ hair gel in the house had turned t' water,” he complained.

Annie shrugged. “That’s ok. Mom likes the curls.”

“Does she, now?” Spike questioned, absently running one hand through his now short, platinum hair.

“Uh-huh … I do too,” Annie confirmed.

“Well, that’s a bit o’ luck then, innit?”

Annie nodded and then ventured into a new subject. “Did you love your Buffy? I mean … you made that altar, right? Mom said you were friends, but …”




“Friends, is it?” Spike pondered that a moment. “Not sure ‘bout that, pet. I loved her, still do. She never loved me, but … she treated me like a man, trusted me, and that … well, it meant a lot.”  It was but a crumb, but it was enough.

“She loved you,” Annie offered, reaching a hand out and grabbing hold of his. His larger hand folded over hers protectively, although it was the girl who was doing the reassuring just now.

Spike smiled sadly at the youngster. She wasn’t from here, she didn’t know how it was. He knew Buffy could never love him. And she shouldn’t, he was a monster. Just as he could never step out into the sun, but was happy standing in the shade and feeling its warmth radiate up from the pavement, he was happy to be able to stand near Buffy and feel her radiance reflect off the people she did love.

“Why do you think that, pet?” he asked finally.

“’Cos you’re soul-mates. It’s like … a rule or something. She has to love you.”

**~**

Down in the basement, Buffy changed her focus and concentrated on trying to feel the magic in the scythe. She hoped, with all the extra years they’d had to work on getting the ancient weapon out of the stone, that the First’s minions hadn’t found a way to do it. But she needn’t have worried. The magic the Guardians used was strong and apparently even The First Evil couldn’t free it from its King Arthur prison. Buffy closed her eyes and watched sparkling fingers of golden light move gracefully down the stairs and encircle the scythe with a glowing radiance. It was right in the middle of the room, still buried in the stone. Just another four steps down and one sharp right turn and she’d run into it. Buffy let out a sigh of relief as she slowly picked her way the rest of the way down the uneven stone stairs and easily lifted the Slayer’s ancient weapon from its centuries-old moorings.



She felt infinitely more confident now that she had it in her hand. She breathed a sigh of relief as she retreated from the darkness back to the cask room where Spike and Annie waited for her.

Buffy smiled in triumph as she held the weapon up for Spike to see. Spike cocked a brow at her. “Well, pointy and wooden isn’t exactly a look I want to know better, but it does have a certain flair,” he admitted. “How did ya know it was there? Never even noticed that trapdoor in the floor before.”

Buffy looked back at the trapdoor and shrugged. “You … led me to it.”

Spike’s brows shot up. “I did, did I?” he questioned. “Well, ain’t I the handy one?”



“Handy and randy … that’s you in a nutshell, Spike,” Buffy teased as she started out of the winery ahead of him.

Spike smirked and ushered Annie to follow her mum while he brought up the rear.

’Cos you’re soul-mates. It’s like … a rule or something. She has to love you,’ Annie’s words hung in his mind. As he followed the two girls back towards the sewer entrance, he momentarily wondered if that fluttering in his chest was his soul trying to worm its way back into his body of its own volition.

**~**

As Spike had told them, traveling in the sewers had proven to be much safer than the streets. First of all – no bats; they were too big to fly down here, their wingspan too wide. Secondly, no Jacks; the tall vamps had to bend down to walk through many of the smaller, six foot, pipes, making it uncomfortable for them. There were other demons here, but most of the lesser demons that had come through Glory’s portal had long since been killed off by the Jacks and the Turok-Han. The trio did run across a couple of comparatively small rodent-type demons that had avoided extinction by living in the sewers.


Spike told his companions that the Capybara demons were ‘harmless’ and he simply kicked them out of the way with a heavy boot. Buffy wasn’t so sure – they were pretty large for rodents. They probably weighed a hundred pounds – about the size of the red Chow Chow, ‘Chewy’, which lived a couple doors down from the mansion back home. The demons weren’t nearly as cute or cuddly, however. The rat-demons had long teeth that protruded from their brown, furry lips and even longer claws that scratched eerily on the dry floor of the tunnels. Buffy didn’t argue with Spike, though. She just kept moving, keeping Annie between them, as he took the lead and maneuvered expertly through the tunnels.



The only vamps that did use the tunnels, mostly for going back and forth to the Hellmouth, were the Turok-Han. This did not fill Buffy with joy. She kept a watchful eye behind them, Spike in the lead, for what she considered the most hideous and vile of creatures she’d ever known. The torture she’d endured at their hands, despite the passage of years, remained one of her worst fears and nightmares. Just thinking about it sent her adrenaline surging and her heart racing as if it had happened only yesterday. She had to admit that they were even worse than Travers and Weatherby combined … and that was saying something.

She gripped the scythe tightly in both hands, noting that this relic did not have any power to heal her wounds like the one in her world. Something about Hallie’s wish had changed ‘her’ scythe, but apparently not affected other dimensions. Despite that, she could feel the ancient Slayer power humming within it and that gave her some level of comfort and confidence.

As they walked, Buffy and Annie would occasionally pose questions to Spike and they’d talk a bit before falling back into a comfortable, if not relaxed, silence.

“Why are all the plants and trees dead?” Annie wondered as they walked, heading back towards base camp, the old Initiative headquarters.

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed. “What are there, like Boll Weevil demons or something to go along with the rat-demons?”

Spike chuckled. “No, pet. Photosynthesis,” he answered simply.

“Oh.” Annie nodded her understanding.

Buffy furrowed her brow. “They don’t like having their photos taken? The plants are Amish now?”

Spike laughed, once again reminded of the charm that was no one but Buffy.

“What?! Don’t laugh at me!” Buffy insisted with a pout.

“Mom, photosynthesis is what plants do to live. They use the light from the sun to turn carbon dioxide into energy and release oxygen back into the atmosphere,” Annie explained.

“Oh, I knew that,” Buffy defended with a shrug. “It’s just been a while since I, you know, thought about it. So … why are the plants dead?”

“No sun,” Annie clarified.

“Why didn’t you just say that in the first place, Spike?” Buffy chastised. “‘No sun.’  That would’ve been so much easier to say than photo…whatever.”

Spike smothered another laugh. “Sorry, pet. I’ll try t’ simple stuff down for ya from now on. You did have high school in your world, yeah?”



“Hey!” Buffy objected. “I’m smart! Just look at Annie! She can speak five languages! Where do you think she got that from?”

Spike smirked. “From what you said, the Platelet’s mine too. Seems t’ me her brains come from my side o’ the gene pool.”



Buffy huffed. “Yeah, well I have an overabundance of the ‘ass kicking’ gene! I can still kick your skinny butt out into the sunlight,” Buffy threatened. “You know … if there was actually some sunlight.”

“Skinny, is it?” Spike smirked as he looked over his shoulder and twisted his ass so he could look at it. “Never had any complaints ‘bout it before.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Yeah, well, Dru was crazy, ya know … and Harmony was an idiot.”

Spike shrugged and turned back forward as he continued walking, still smirking. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

“What do all these vamps eat?” Buffy wondered, changing the subject away from Spike’s ass. “I mean, there aren’t any people. Where do they get their Happy Meals?”

Spike snorted a soft laugh, his euphemism sounding funny coming from her. “Mostly, they eat each other, which is a bloody blessin’, if ya ask me.”

“But … are the Jacks turning Turok-Han or vice versa? I mean … can you turn something that’s already … undead? That wouldn’t really be helpful if they’re just changing them into a different monster,” Buffy pointed out.

Spike shrugged and thought a minute. “Don’t think they can do that, never saw it happen. Don’t think it’s possible.”

“Still,” Buffy continued. “They can’t live on undead blood for long … right? I mean, it’s all … used up, isn’t it?”

“They eat other demons too, pet. What did the bloody things eat in the Otherworld? Weren’t any Happy Meals there, either, I’d wager. Same with the Big Uglies. No sweet treats down in the Hellmouth. Seem to get on fine, they do.”

Buffy nodded and fell silent a moment. “But the same things can kill them, right? Fire, decapitation, sunlight, stake to the heart? ‘Cos, you know, I staked one of those Jacks and he just laughed at me. I really hate it when that happens. It’s one of my top ten hated things – vampires laughing at me. You should keep that in mind, by the way.”

Spike chucked lightly, still keeping his eyes looking down the dark tunnel in front of them as he walked, keeping watch for danger. “I’d never laugh at you, pet. No need t’ get pokey with that holy hand grenade or whatever that is ya got there.”

“Scythe,” Buffy corrected. “And you didn’t answer my question.”

“Right. Yeah, same things dust ‘em. The Jacks’ hearts are in their heads … behind them bloody B-movie glowy eyes,” he explained, raising one hand up and wriggling his fingers in front of his eyes.

Buffy made an ‘ewwww’ face that was lost on her companions since she was behind them. “I haveta poke them in the eye? How gross is that?”



Spike shrugged. “Only squishes for a second. Get the left eye, right one just makes ‘em madder.”

“Swell.”

Just then, Buffy’s stomach growled like a lion. She laid a hand over it to silence it, but it was too late.



“Bloody hell, woman! Why didn’t you two say somethin'?” Spike chastised as he stopped and turned around. It had been a long time since he’d had to think about his companions’ meals. Even if Xander or Tara were with him on a patrol, their meals or grumbling stomachs were none of his concern. They were big kids, they knew the ropes. They could take care of themselves.

“We were in kind of a hurry this morning. Didn’t think we had time for room service,” Buffy pointed out.

“Yeah, well – no hurry now. Got green beans and … uhh …” Spike rummaged around in the duffle bag that hung over his shoulder a moment, “… ahhh … pickled beets,” he announced triumphantly when he found them in the bottom of the bag.

Buffy tried not to groan or make a face. Annie wasn’t quite so controlled, however, but she was starving, so she didn’t say too much.

“Yum,” Buffy offered unenthusiastically.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Sorry, pet. Supplies are gettin’ low, gonna have to make a run to the docks shortly.”

Buffy gave him a smile and nodded. “It’s ok … beggars and choosers. I’ll take the pickled beets, Annie can have the green beans.”



“I don’t like canned green beans. They taste like … can,” Annie complained.

“Trust me, you’ll like them more than pickled beets,” Buffy assured her, making Annie roll her eyes and groan again.

**~**

The further they walked and the closer they got to the base camp, the more subdued and fidgety Spike became, as if he had something on his mind and just couldn’t quite figure out how to come out with it. They turned a corner in the tunnel and, for the first time in twenty-four hours, Buffy saw a light – an electric light. It was encased in heavy wire to keep it from getting broken, and it illuminated two heavy metal double doors.  She felt absolutely giddy with relief and excitement. This must’ve been how Thomas Edison felt; it was like she had just invented the light bulb. Who knew such a simple thing could bring such a feeling of joy?



That joy was short-lived, however, as Spike stopped the procession a few feet away from the doors and turned to face his two companions. Looking at Buffy he seemed almost apologetic, definitely uncomfortable, as he ran a nervous hand through his now short, platinum curls and searched for words. He really hadn’t planned on bringing Buffy and Annie here, at least not so soon. Not until he found a way to break the news to her, but the Jacks showing up and torching the house changed his plans.

“Buffy, there’s something else I haveta tell ya before we go in,” he began, still searching for the courage to get this out.

Buffy could feel and see his discomfort. Her eyes flitted back and forth between him and the doors. A civilization of sorts was waiting behind them, so close and yet so far. “What is it? Just tell me,” she encouraged him.

Spike ducked his head, ran a hand through his hair again, and shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. “Ok, here’s the thing, pet … I … well, that is to say … we …”

“Spike!” a male voice called from the now open door that led into the base camp. The one word conveyed anger, annoyance, and relief at the same time. “Where the hell have you been?”

Buffy turned to look towards the vaguely familiar voice as Spike’s shoulders slumped. He rolled his eyes skyward and muttered, “Bloody hell.”



“Riley?!” Buffy exclaimed, her wide eyes darting between Spike and Riley Finn, who was standing in the doorway. The soldier’s arms were folded angrily over his chest as he glared at Spike with the red glowing eyes of a Jack O’ Lantern vamp.




**~**

Trivia:
The Boll Weevil Monument in downtown Enterprise, Alabama, is a prominent landmark and tribute erected by the citizens of Enterprise in 1919 to show their appreciation to an insect, the boll weevil, for its profound influence on the area's agriculture and economy. Hailing the beetle as a "herald of prosperity," it stands as the world's only monument built to honor an agricultural pest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boll_Weevil_Monument

I know you couldn’t have lived another day without knowing that!

**~**

{{ Click here to hear Beggars and Choosers by Soul Asylum on YouTube  }}

Right before the aftermath, I saw where it would end
They said it was an accident, I guess that all depends
On who you talk to and who you know
And where you come from and where - where you go
In your crowd of pushers and users, takers and loosers
Beggars and beggars and beggars and choosers

Your childhood days are over as you stuff your shirt and say
Made a choice and wrong or right it's this way I will stay
You'll sell it to your children, you'll sell it to your wife
Buying is your business, and selling it's your life, it's your life

The vultures are all circling around your window now
Scavengers, evangelists will get to you some how
Your mother and your ex-best friend, letters that you never send
Your illegitimate children are coming for you now

They're always tracking you down, it's looking like a showdown
Between revenge and the edge you can't defend
Can you try to imagine, a story that has no end?
I think you better steal it while you still understand it, and sell it to one of your friends
End Notes:
TBC ... What the heck is Riley doing there?!? And how is he a vamp? And why didn't Spike want to tell Buffy about him? We'll find out next ... Don't be shy - you know I love hearing from you!
Love The One You're With by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
How will Buffy react to Riley? How did he get here? How is it that he’s a vampire? Why didn’t Spike mention him before?
**
Music Referenced: Love the One You’re With, CSN&Y http://youtu.be/_5IVuN1N6-Y
**
ScreenCaps courtesy of ScreenCap Paradise: http://www.screencap-paradise.com/?cat=3
**
Thanks to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter and to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Thanks also to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
(Ten years ago) May 2001, Sunnydale, Glory’s tower, “Gift-less Dimension”:

 

After tending to Dawn’s wounds, Spike locked the house up and hurried back through the sewers to the scene of his biggest failure. If Dawn had survived the collapse of the tower, perhaps someone else had, also. He didn’t want to leave her alone, but had little choice. He needed to know for sure – was anyone else alive?

When he got back to 'ground-zero', he was glad to see that the portal had finally closed, but the damage had been done. Thousands … maybe hundreds of thousands of demons had poured into this world from … wherever. He didn’t know where they came from. He just called them ‘Otherworld’ demons. The city of Sunnydale was under siege. Most of the demons paid him no mind; after all, he was a demon, as well. The temptation of human blood and the smell of their fear was much more alluring to the ravenous newcomers than his undead flesh. There were much tastier morsels than him still running around the streets of Sunnydale.

He searched through the debris as quickly as he could. Despite the fact that most of the demons left him alone, he did have to stop a few times and take cover as giant bats swooped at him from the sky. Apparently, they weren’t as discriminating as most of the other newcomers.


After listening for heartbeats and sniffing out Buffy’s friends like a demonic hound dog, he found that the Watcher, Red, and Demon-girl were dead, all crushed under the debris. Bloody shame, that. Of all the Scoobies, those three could’ve been the most useful in the fight that lie ahead. Harris and Glinda were the only two with heartbeats.



Even though the demons seemed to be bypassing him, Spike remained wary and cautious. He’d left Dawn home alone; he couldn’t afford to tarry or get into a fight with one of these newcomers, not now. The Otherworld demons still hadn’t figured out the underground trails called ‘sewers’ and Spike used those to transport the two other survivors back to Buffy’s house.

He didn’t do it because he really gave a piss about them – well Glinda was alright, but he definitely didn’t give a piss about Harris. He did it because that’s what Buffy would’ve done; it’s what she would want him to do. He may not have a soul, but he had a compass now … or the memory of one, anyway. His every move was predicated by ‘what would Buffy do?’ or ‘what would Buffy want me to do?’

By the time that was done, Spike was beyond exhausted, mentally and physically; his whole body hurt, bullets of pain shot up his leg with every step, his mind was numb, but his mission wasn’t complete.

Back at the tower, he worked for what seemed like hours to free Buffy’s body from the wreckage. She had fallen directly under the gangplank of the tower when she’d tried to leap into the portal, therefore her body was buried under the bulk of it. He’d crawled out from there earlier, dislodging some of the girders as he did so, but crawling out yourself and trying to pull a dead weight out were two different things entirely. He worked tirelessly, knowing that if he stopped, if he allowed himself to think or feel, he might fall into a depression so deep he’d never be able to climb out of it. Dawn was depending on him. He’d promised Buffy. He couldn’t stop now.

After a monumental struggle, Spike finally freed the Slayer from the fallen tower. He lifted her gently from the wreckage and cradled her broken body in his arms. He couldn’t stop the tears, couldn’t control the sobs, or squash the guilt that rose up within his heart. Guilt. Vampires weren’t supposed to feel guilt. That was the beauty of being a monster. And yet, he did. Every cell in his body felt the weight of his guilt for being so easily defeated by the likes of the grandfatherly Reptile Demon, Doc. Being evil means never having to say you’re sorry, but that seemed the only word he could mutter as he carried her home.

Back at the house, he laid her down in her bed, a pillow under her head, her arms folded neatly across her chest. He retrieved a wash cloth and some water and carefully cleaned the dirt and blood from her face and neck. If he stood back and concentrated, he could almost imagine that she was simply asleep. That she’d awaken at any moment and tell him to get the hell out of her room. But she didn’t and he knew she wouldn’t – not ever again.

He fell to his knees next to her bed as the horror of the day came crashing down on him, just as Glory’s tower had, and buried him. His sobs echoed throughout the silent house. Outside the world was ending. In here, it already had.



**~**

For the second time in his life, Riley Finn was a deserter. He wasn’t sure if this time really counted, since he hadn’t actually signed anything yet to ‘join up’ with Major Ellis and the army’s new demon fighting taskforce, despite taking the transport to Belize and helping in the fight to save the threatened village from the surging demons. He wasn’t sure if giving his word to the commander was enough for them to send the MPs after him or not – whatever.


He’d given Buffy an ultimatum, thrown down the gauntlet when they were both angry and frazzled. It had been an immature and stupid thing to do. He was sure if he could just get her to talk to him, get her to open up just a fraction of an inch, he could be the man she needed. He was strong, he was a fighter, he knew demons – he knew her, even if she didn’t. They just needed to take some time to work this out. They’d both made mistakes, but he was hopeful that they could put the bad behind them, start fresh, and rediscover the love they’d shared when they were first together, the love that he still felt. He’d known for some time that she wasn’t in love with him, but, he also knew that she did care about him. If she didn’t care, she wouldn’t have been so upset about… He felt shame wash over him just thinking about the vamp whorehouse. He sighed heavily and rubbed his tired eyes. He just wanted another chance to earn her love, to show her that he could be everything she needed.



Riley had been riding on overcrowded, stinking chicken-buses all the way from Belize. His back ached, his butt hurt, his eyes were bleary with exhaustion. It was taking forever to get back to Sunnydale. First of all, they didn’t actually have any official schedule for the buses, and often you didn’t know where any particular bus was going. There weren’t any brightly-lit signs on them announcing their destinations; there weren’t any signs on them at all. You had to know which bus went where or know someone who knew. He knew neither. To make matters worse, the locals along the way took great pleasure in sending the gringo in the wrong direction. After a monumental effort and test of his fortitude, he finally made it back to something that resembled civilization. He was overjoyed when he found a bus station with a posted schedule and buses that didn’t allow goats, pigs, and chickens inside. Roads that weren’t made up of nothing but deep potholes and buses with shock absorbers were a big plus, too. When he finally made it into the US, he was even happier to find people that spoke English and didn’t consider him the outsider, the gringo.

Now, as the bus he was on neared Sunnydale, it was quite evident that something was wrong. Very, very wrong. Cars were streaming out of the town like someone had yelled ‘Fire!’ in a crowded nightclub. The rules of the road were forgotten as the citizens fled for their very lives from the hell that had broken out in their sleepy little town of denial. The driver of the bus had no choice but to pull off the road as cars rushed at them; every lane on the highway was one way: OUT.

Finn got off the bus and began to jog towards town. He estimated they were perhaps three miles outside of the city limits, another mile or so to Buffy’s house … or should he go to the Magic Box? If there was a crisis, perhaps that’s where everyone would be. Riley ran against the flood of people and cars, bumping into the horrified townspeople as he forced himself upstream like a spawning salmon. Whatever had happened, it was obvious that Buffy needed his help; he needed to get to her. A worry briefly flashed through his mind that he would be too late – his impetuous and foolish decision to leave with Major Ellis may have cost him, and Buffy, everything. He pushed that thought away – she would be alright; she was the Slayer, the good guy. The good guy, he assured himself, always won.

As Finn got closer to town, he was met with more resistance than simply innocents fleeing for their lives; he found what they were fleeing from. Demons. Flying demons, leaping demons, tall demons, short demons, large and small demons. Demons the likes of which he’d never seen before in all his years working with the Initiative or in his studies with Professor Walsh. One thing all the demons had in common was ferocious hunger, however. No one was safe. Men, women, children, even dogs and cats and squirrels, were being attacked without prejudice, killed, and eaten. There were horrifying screams and anguished prayers lifting up to heaven. There were rivers of blood in the streets flowing down to hell. Fires raged in homes and cars, glass shattered, alarms sounded in a cacophony of ridiculous futility, as if the demons cared if the police were summoned. It was nothing short of bedlam. He wanted to help them … save them, but he couldn’t save them all; he couldn’t help them and get to Buffy as well.

Finn forged ahead, fighting off demons that thought he would make an easy meal. One fist to the face or … whatever seemed to be a face, was usually enough to deter them. There were plenty of easy pickings, why worry with one that could fight? He tried to help people if he could, kicking or pulling demons off them as he passed, but he dare not pause too long lest he become an easy target himself.

Then there it was: Revello Drive. He’d check here first, then try the Magic Box. Only a block away from her house … he was nearly there. His lungs and legs ached from the exertion of the run, the horrors of what he’d seen, and the adrenaline coursing through him, but it was only a short ways now. He jumped over corpses in the street and sidewalk, and dodged cars that were left idling, their drivers having been ripped from behind the wheel. He gave a wide berth to downed power lines that danced and arced with electricity in the street as he made his way to 1630. He’d no sooner made it to Buffy’s front walk than something tackled him and knocked him to the ground.

His lungs, already aching, exploded in pain as the air that was in them was forced out. Finn struggled to get free from whatever it was that had him pinned down. All of his training seemed to leave him for a moment, panic driving it from his brain, as he flailed ineffectually against a larger and stronger opponent. Finally gaining control of himself, he forced his mind to focus and hit up at the strange demon that was atop him. Its eyes glowed an angry red, as if it had a red-hot fire burning in its large orbs. Its head was unusually large and oblong and it seemed to have the strength of ten men as it held him down. Finn’s punch landed soundly in the middle of the demon’s bright red mouth, but it had little effect other than to enrage the monster further. Finn hit it again and again and again until the powerful being grabbed his hand and snapped his wrist like a twig.

Riley screamed out in agony as the monster closed in for the kill, dropping its bright red mouth and grotesquely long fangs to the side of the soldier’s neck and puncturing the large artery that throbbed there. The blood, powered by his racing heart, gushed from the gaping wound and the monster sucked against his hot, salty skin with wild abandon.

Finn tried once more to push the demon off with his good hand, but his head was already starting to spin, his limbs were losing their strength. He began to feel like he was floating, swirling and twisting in space – it was euphoric. He fought the feeling, trying again to get free, but he felt a shroud descending over him; he was at death’s doorstep. Then suddenly, the weight atop him was gone, the long fangs ripped from his neck violently. He was only vaguely aware of the tearing of his flesh and the pain it brought as his world spun. Bright lights flashed in slower and slower bursts behind his closed lids, keeping time with his fading heartbeat. He struggled to open his eyes … they seemed to be fused shut.

He heard growling … fighting – someone was fighting. He didn’t know who or what. Buffy, he thought. “Buffy…” he called out weakly, reaching a hand towards the sounds. He finally forced his eyes open. Blinked. Blinked again. It wasn’t Buffy. He shook his head, tried to clear it. Still not Buffy. He rolled over and dragged himself towards the porch. It took every ounce of energy he had to haul his body up the stairs, his broken wrist hanging uselessly as he pulled with his elbow on that arm.

“Buffy …” he called again. He thought that he was screaming her name, but it was barely a whisper.

The spinning in his head began to slow. He first thought that was good, but then realized, no … that was bad. His blood continued to flow from the gaping wound in his neck; he could taste it in his mouth, hot and coppery, and feel the warmth running down his arm and chest. He worried that he’d left his duffel on the bus; it had his ID in it … how would they know where to send his body? Funny the things you think about when you’re dying.

He reached the front door and lifted his good arm. Banged on it one time; it was all he could manage. “Buffy …”

**~**

Spike’s sobs had faded, his tears had dried. He had no more … not one drop. All he had now was the guilt. He had to take care of Dawn, watch over her, protect her. He’d made a promise to a lady.

He could hear the massacre outside the walls of the house. There was a time he would’ve joined in, reveled in the mayhem and destruction. That time had passed. He had a compass now. She lay cold and still in the bed above him, but she was still his guiding light; she would forever be.


He stood up stiffly and stretched his exhausted limbs. Everything hurt from his toes to the very tips of his poncy, peroxided curls which had long ago escaped their gel prison. He cursed as he put pressure on his leg and took a stumbling step forward. Suddenly he heard a loud crash outside the house and the power went off – someone took out a power pole with their car. He sighed heavily and headed for the stairs; he’d find some candles, check on Dawn and see what he could do to help Glinda and Harris. Perhaps they’d be awake by now.



Just as he made it downstairs, a loud crash came from the kitchen. He started that way, pausing only momentarily to grab a dagger from the weapons chest in the living room. In the kitchen he found what had to be the most grotesque demon Spike had ever laid eyes on, and that was saying a lot. Part zombie, part snot demon, and part Edward Scissorhands, the creature stood barely five feet tall, but was covered in an oozing green slime that smelled of putrid, dead flesh. The slime dripped off in some places and fell off in chunks in others, but was quickly replaced with new snotty, smelly slime. Its eyes were milky white, as if blind, but it certainly wasn’t that, because it turned and looked directly at Spike when he came into the room. It had two long arms which sported four long, razor-sharp metallic claws on the ends of slender, but slimy, green fingers. When it opened its mouth, rows upon rows of narrow, sharp, black teeth framed a long, yellow tongue which darted out like a snake’s. The stench from its breath was that of a dead skunk that had been baking in the summer heat for two or three days.

Spike took a step back and quickly stopped breathing, wishing he’d brought something longer than a dagger with him – a sword would be handy just now. The creature studied Spike, tilting its bald, glistening head from one side to the other, sizing him up. Before Spike could decide just where to attack it, the monster let out a high-pitched war cry and charged.

Spike was knocked back, out of the kitchen and into the dining room as the small but powerful demon pinned him to the ground. The dagger went flying from his hand, skittering across the floor and only stopping when it came to rest against the weapons chest in the living room. Spike tried to push the thing off, but his hands just slid over its slippery flesh. When he tried to grab it, pull on it, pieces of warm gooey flesh, which felt something like cooked okra, gumbo, just came off in his hand.

“Bloody hell…” Spike groaned in disgust as he punched the creature in the teeth. The monster’s head snapped back momentarily, but before Spike could pull his fist away to strike again, the creature had swallowed his hand up to the wrist and was biting down.

Spike felt all those sharp teeth embed into the flesh and bone of his wrist and he screamed out in pain. He tried to pull his hand away, but the teeth were closed down on his arm securely. If he pulled his arm away, he was quite sure it would be without his hand. Bugger!

Spike reached up over his head with his free hand to try and find the dagger, but it was out of reach. He began pushing himself with his legs. The slime demon stayed atop him as he inched across the floor, towards the living room and the weapon. Even as he propelled them both slowly towards the living room, the creature started chewing on his hand, as if were a tough piece of gristle it was trying to gnaw off the bone.

Spike screamed again and punched the thing in the middle of its body, hoping that would make it expel his hand. The thing grunted, but didn’t release Spike’s limb. Instead, black, inky slime started pouring out of the demon’s body and a new odor was added to the mix … one that could only be described as ‘sewer plant’.

Spike made the mistake of starting to breathe again after he screamed out in pain, but quickly stopped when the smell of untreated waste filled his nostrils. “If I bloody live, I won’t be able to smell anything for a soddin’ month after this,” Spike muttered to himself as he continued to push with his legs and slide closer to the weapons chest.

The demon didn’t seem concerned that his meal was still moving, perhaps that was how it always dined. It began slicing bits of flesh off Spike’s arm with the razors on its fingers and sucking them into its mouth, never releasing Spike’s hand. Spike grimaced and clenched his jaw tightly, but resisted the urge to yell out. He sooo didn’t want to take in another breath and smell the putrid thing, but the pain in his arm where the demon was feeding off him was excruciating.

Spike finally reached the dagger where it lay on the floor and brought it around in a wide arc, stabbing it into one of the creature’s milky white eyes. That finally got the flesh-eating monster’s attention. Spike’s hand, bloody and gnawed upon, was finally expelled from the demon’s mouth as it screamed out in pain. Spike pulled the dagger out of one eyeball and quickly slammed it into the other before the monster could retaliate.  The creature emitted bursts of new smells, seemingly at random. The aroma of wet dog was followed by a strong sulfur odor, then the sweet smell of jasmine. The olfactory assault continued with dead, decomposing fish which was followed by something that smelled amazingly like Chanel No. 5.

As the creature grasped at the dagger, still protruding from its eye socket, Spike rolled them over and jumped up, leaving the smelly, slimy monster writhing on the floor in pain. He quickly opened the weapons chest again and retrieved a thin-bladed, double-edged sword and brought it down across the monster’s neck, severing its head. The whole demon seemed to lose its cohesion then and melted into nothing more than a large puddle of green goo on the living room floor.

“That’s gonna leave a stain,” Spike muttered as he dared to take another breath. To his relief, the smell of death for the slimy demon was something that resembled the smell of a Christmas tree.

“I just killed the soddin’ Pine-Sol demon,” Spike mumbled as he dropped down onto the couch and clutched his ravaged hand to his chest.

Spike could hear the battles continuing outside the house. It was only a matter of time before more demons made their way in here. Then what? How was he supposed to fight them all? As he was pondering his predicament, he heard fierce growling outside the window and turned to look out. In the front yard was a tall, lithe humanoid fighting what appeared to be an overgrown bat. It was difficult to say who was winning, not that Spike cared. As long as they were fighting each other, they weren’t attacking him.


Then there was a bang on the front door and he thought he heard someone call Buffy’s name. His brows furrowed in confusion. Could one of the others at the tower have been alive and he’d missed them?

He jumped up, sword in hand and pulled open the door. To his utter shock he found a nearly-dead Riley Finn lying prone and bleeding on the front porch. The soldier was quite literally covered in blood with a large, jagged wound on his neck. He’d been bitten by a vampire. Not a normal vampire, Spike realized, but something much larger, judging by the size of the bite.

“Help…” he heard Riley mutter as he reached one hand out towards Spike’s booted foot.



Spike smirked. He wondered if his chip would go off if he just accidentally dropped the sword he was holding down into the back of the enormous hall monitor.

“Buffy … sorry… love you…” Finn moaned as he tried to pull himself into the house.

Spike faltered and tears that he thought were long dry pooled behind his eyes again. Buffy … would just the mention of her name always bring tears to his eyes? Would that feeling of guilt ever leave him? He doubted it.

As Spike stood there in the open doorway, a dying Riley Finn trying to pull himself in, the tall, thin demon that had been fighting the bat suddenly leapt over the porch railing and landed atop the fallen soldier.

Spike jerked back in surprise as the monster hissed at him, red eyes glowing brightly as it started to pick up its prize: Riley Finn.

In a split second Spike made a decision. What would Buffy do? He stepped forward and swung the sword with all his strength at the demon’s neck, severing it cleanly. The Otherworld vampire burst into a smattering of red, glittering dust which settled down atop Riley’s unmoving body.

Spike dragged the soldier in and slammed the door closed. Finn’s heart was barely beating, perhaps only three or four beats a minute now … there was scant little blood left for it to pump. Spike looked up at the ceiling as he drew in a deep breath and then closed his eyes trying to gather his courage. He hadn’t done this, not once since … his mother. Spike blew out the pine fresh air from his lungs and looked back down at Finn with trepidation. He lifted his bloody, ravaged arm to the soldier’s lips and forced him to swallow the demon blood; Spike’s demon blood.

**~**

Back to the current day: Early evening hours, Saturday, April 16th, 2011, Gift-less Dimension:

Spike paced back and forth in front of Buffy, combing his hand through his curls nervously. They were in the room he shared with Finn inside what used to be the Initiative’s demon cellblock. Each small ‘cell’ was living quarters for one or two people, or in Riley and Spike’s case, two demons. Heavy curtains or blankets hung over the openings that faced the hallway where the electrical barrier had once been. There was scant little privacy here, but it was safe from the hordes of monsters that roamed the streets above.

Annie was waiting in the hall, along with Finn, while Spike talked to Buffy.

Spike stopped pacing and turned to face her. Buffy’s features were unreadable, but her arms crossed over her chest told him all he needed to know.



“Buffy, luv … I had no choice. He’da died if I hadn’t turned him and … and I needed help. How was I to protect Dawn on m’ own?” Spike begged her to understand.

Buffy shook her head and looked past him. “I understand that you needed help, Spike, but Xander and Tara were alive – from what you say, they help you. You hated Riley … and now you’re what? Freedom fighters? Best buddies? Roomies? He doesn’t even have a soul!”

“Neither do I!” Spike retorted angrily. Buffy opened her mouth to argue that point, but Spike continued, talking right over anything she was about to say. “I’m his sire – I can control him; he’s never hurt a human. We fight demons together, we protect your sister – together! You should be soddin’ grateful, not gettin’ your knickers in a bloody twist, Slayer!”

“Do you have any idea how much Riley detested vampires? How he loathed them? Do you not remember how he hated you?” Buffy argued. “And now you’ve turned him into what he fought against his entire adult life.

“Spike, it’s just not like you. I can’t pretend to understand you doing that and I can’t condone it, not for Dawn, not for any reason,” Buffy contended.

Although her personal memories of Riley were filled with abhorrence and anger, she still had knowledge of the Riley in this world and the relationship this Buffy would’ve had with him. It didn’t end well, she knew; still, did he really deserve to be turned into one of the monsters that repulsed him so?


Spike stepped closer to her, his nostrils flaring in anger. “What about that little girl out there, Buffy? What if it was to protect her?” Spike demanded, pointing a finger towards the hallway.



Buffy glared at him. “No one deserves that.”

“Right. Keep tellin’ yourself that, Slayer. You and I both know you’d sacrifice anyone for that girl. Don’t get all holier-than-thou on me now, I bloody well know better,” Spike growled back at her.

“What if that had been Buffy?” she asked him, her gaze never wavering from his. “If she’d been drained … dying, would you’ve done the same?”

Spike pursed his lips and held her cold stare, their faces only inches away from each other.

Buffy wasn’t really sure why she was so freaked out by this, but she was. Maybe because of Bess and all that she had been through. She’d been a young, innocent girl whose life got turned upside down and inside out and then she’d been dropped into hell for over a century. Buffy literally wouldn’t wish that on her worst enemy, despite the fact that Bess seemed to finally be at peace with her life and finding a place in the world. Buffy had never asked her daughter outright if, knowing what she knew now, she would have rather died that night in the Tower Gardens. Buffy wasn’t sure she wanted to know the answer to that question.

Buffy herself had pondered this very issue more than once in her life. She certainly didn’t abhor vampires, hadn’t for a long time, not like Riley had. All vampires were once innocents who happened to cross paths with evil, who had also once been an innocent. Yes, she did her sacred duty and dusted them – but it wasn’t out of hate. She had no real answer to that question – if she were dying, would she rather be turned than die? It was something that she’d never been able to decide with any conviction – but if the day came when she had to decide, then it would be her decision; not someone else’s. She would be the one to utter the words… ‘Turn me’ … or not. Perhaps that was the point. Riley hadn’t decided; Spike had. Spike had no right to make that decision for someone else.


When he didn’t answer her, she pressed further. “Well? Tell me! Tell me what I have to look forward to if I get caught by one of those things,” Buffy demanded. “Do I get to be a monster too?”




Spike finally averted his gaze, looking past her now. He wouldn’t change what he’d done for Riley … or to Riley, depending on your point of view. Finn had proven to be an asset in the fight against the demons. He’d helped Spike protect the humans that couldn’t protect themselves and couldn’t escape the hell they were all trapped in. Having said that, he also couldn’t imagine Buffy being turned into a demon; it would be … an abomination. Everything he loved about Buffy was because of her light, her radiance, the goodness within her soul; taking that from her would be an atrocity. He would never do it. He could never do it.

“No,” he finally muttered, returning his gaze to meet hers.

Buffy nodded. “Then you shouldn’t have done it to him.”

Spike turned to the side and walked away from her, facing the back wall of the small room. “I needed help, Buffy … I needed … someone … someone who loved you like I did,” he admitted softly, never looking at her. “Someone who could understand my pain, share m’ guilt, give a little cold comfort.”




Buffy blinked and her jaw dropped open. “What are you saying? … Are you … lovers?” she stammered, her voice turning softer, barely audible.

Spike took a deep breath and let it out slowly as he continued staring at the back wall. After a moment he nodded slightly. If Buffy had looked away for a split second, she would’ve missed it.

“Spike, I don’t understand. What do you have in common other than hatred for each other?” Buffy asked as she stepped closer to him.

Spike turned around and faced her, a pained expression in his expressive blue eyes. “We both see the same thing when we close our eyes, pet – you.”

“Oh, Spike…” Buffy moaned. She shook her head slowly as tears gathered in her eyes like black clouds before a summer monsoon. They threatened to drown her in a deluge of sorrow and pain; she sniffed them back, willing them not to fall.


“I’m sorry, Buffy. I’m sorry if I let you down … I tried so bloody hard…” Spike’s eyes were a stormy blue, full of regret, as they met hers. Their glistening depths silently begged Buffy for forgiveness and understanding.



She stepped forward and drew him into a hug which he accepted gratefully. “You didn’t let me down, Spike,” she assured him. “You kept your word, you protected Dawn. I’m gonna help you make things right here, I swear.”

Spike nodded against her as he took comfort in her embrace. Never in his life had Buffy hugged him like this. During Red’s ‘will be done’ spell they’d kissed and held each other, but not like this, not with the warmth and compassion that this woman was giving him. This one moment almost made the last ten years worth it.

He didn’t know how she thought she was going to help him ‘make things right’, he didn’t even know what ‘right’ was, but if anyone could, he was sure it would be her.

**~**

{{ Click here to hear Love The One You’re With by Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young on YouTube  }}


If you’re down and confused,
and you don’t remember who you’re talkin’ to.
Concentration slip away,
‘cause your baby is so far away.

Well there’s a rose in the fisted glove,
and the eagle flies with the dove,
and if you can’t be with the one you love,
honey, love the one you’re with
 
love the one you’re with,
love the one you’re with,
love the one you’re with.

Don’t be angry, don’t be sad,
and don’t sit cryin’ over good times you’ve had.
There’s a girl right next to you,
and she’s just waitin’ for something to do.

And there’s a rose in the fisted glove
and the eagle flies with the dove,
and if you can’t be with the one you love,
honey, love the one you’re with,
 
love the one you’re with,
love the one you’re with,
love the one you’re with.

Dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit,
dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit,
dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit,
dit dit dit, dit dit dit.

Turn your heartache right into joy,
she’s a girl, and you’re a boy.
Well get it together, make it real nice,
You ain’t gonna need any more advice.

And there’s a rose in the fisted glove
and the eagle flies with the dove,
and if you can’t be with the one you love,
honey, love the one you’re with,
 
love the one you’re with,
love the one you’re with,
love the one you’re with.

Dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit,
dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit,
dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit,
dit dit dit, dit dit dit.
End Notes:
TBC .... ARGH! Oh no! Spike and Riley!? Just what kind of relationship do they have? Are they actually in love? We'll find out and meet the rest of the gang next. As Spike warned, they've changed.
S&M by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Buffy meets the rest of the gang – as Spike warned, they’ve changed. Spike too, seems to have changed.
**
Music Referenced: S&M, Rhianna, http://youtu.be/fwO_BdBHEW4
**
Thanks to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter. Thanks also to PaganBaby for her review of this chapter and her encouragement, and, last but not least, to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Final thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Early evening hours same day, Saturday, April, 16th, 2011, Gift-less Dimension:



Buffy leaned heavily on the tile wall of the shower and let the warm water pound down on her head and wash her tears away. The shower area was built for twenty, but she was alone in here. Annie had already gotten a shower and was in the locker room area changing back into her clothes. Her only clothes. It seemed a shame to put those dirty things back on, but it was all they had.

For his part, Riley hadn’t said a single word to Buffy when Spike asked him to show her and Annie to the showers, but his red, glowing eyes never left her. It gave Buffy the wiggins right down to her bones. She couldn’t read anything in them – not surprise, happiness, anger, or confusion. They were a blank slate to her and that added to the wigginess.

Riley looked pretty much the same as the memories she had of him from this world. Apple-pie, all-American good looks. Unlike Spike, he’d kept his hair trimmed short; he wore an olive green army t-shirt and heavy fatigue pants in the same color. His black boots clunked loudly as he walked down the hallway towards the showers with the same lumbering gait that he’d had in life. The muscles of his chest and arms bulged against the soft fabric of his shirt, which clung lightly to his torso hinting at a hard flat stomach beneath. He’d always been big, but now he seemed even bigger to Buffy, bulkier, stronger, maybe even taller. But the biggest difference was in his eyes. Red. Dead. Demonic.

Finn’s eyes never morphed back to the soft hazel he’d had in life, even in his ‘human’ visage. Spike told Buffy it was because he was a ‘half-breed’: drained by one of the Jacks then turned by him.

When Riley found them standing outside the doors of the base camp, Spike had ushered Buffy and Annie inside the fortress then pulled Riley away into a room with an actual door on it and spoke with him at length. Buffy couldn’t see or hear what went on in there. She assumed Spike had been trying to explain where he’d been, and Buffy and Annie’s presence to Riley … the man she now knew was also his childe and lover.

Despite the warm water flowing over her, Buffy shivered at the thought of Spike and Riley as lovers. A knife twisted in her gut, she tried to stop thinking about it. She couldn’t. It was like trying to look away from a horror movie: you know you don't want to see any more of it, but you simply can't force your eyes away from it.

Buffy dropped down onto her knees under the warm spray of the shower and sobbed. Her counterpart failed Spike in this world, failed all her friends really – failed Dawn. Her heart ached for them all, but for Spike more than any. Forced into this life out of guilt and some twisted sense of loyalty to her memory, he’d perhaps sacrificed the most. He could’ve easily turned his back on them all; the world was full of demons now, or at least this part of the world. He could’ve run amok, gone back to his old ways, left a trail destruction and mayhem in his wake. With the exception of Dawn, who was comatose, there was no one left that expected anything better from William the Bloody. No one except William the Bloody himself.

There were plenty of dead and dying humans that he could’ve fed from, even with the chip. He could’ve simply formed an alliance with some of the Jacks or other lesser demons to kill the humans for him so he could feed, or just stolen their kills … it would’ve been a simple enough thing. He’d shown his ability to best them not twenty-four hours ago; he’d dusted one of the Jacks that very first night. He could’ve become their leader, their king – he could’ve ruled the underworld. He didn’t. He stayed. He helped. He fought. He kept his promise.

“Mom?” Annie called softly as she came back into the shower area, a towel was twisted up around her long, wet hair like a turban and another wrapped around her body. “Mom? Are you okay?” she asked gently as she walked closer to Buffy.

Buffy tried to sniff back her tears, clear her throat, and swallow the anguish back as she nodded. “I’m … fine,” she stammered, her voice cracking. She was clearly lying.

Annie went down onto her knees next to her mother, soaking the towels around her body as she laid a comforting hand on Buffy's shoulder. “It’ll be alright, Mama,” Annie offered solemnly.

Buffy squeezed her eyes closed, but couldn’t stop the sob that escaped her throat even as she tried to nod her agreement. She didn’t want her daughter to see her like this. She needed to stay strong for her.

“It’ll be alright,” Annie repeated. “Spike’ll help us get home,” the girl assured her as she wrapped her arm further around Buffy’s shoulders.

Buffy nodded again but couldn’t force any words past the lump in her throat. She should be the one saying that to Annie. She should be the one comforting her daughter, not the other way around. As they sat on the cool floor of the shower, Buffy drew her girl into a tight hug. The Slayer’s tears continued to fall, mixing with the water that poured over them and flowing like so many raindrops down the drain and out to the ocean.

“I love you, baby,” Buffy finally choked out. “Love you so much.”

“I love you too, Mama. Please don’t cry.”

**~**

When they emerged from the locker room, Spike was waiting for them in the hallway. He pushed off the wall where he'd been leaning and regarded Buffy – she’d been crying, he knew. Her red-rimmed, swollen eyes would’ve given it away, even if he couldn’t smell the salty tears still on her skin. A knife twisted in his chest; he never wanted to be the source of her tears and he was sure that he was, at least partly.



He swallowed and cleared his throat. “I … uhhh … thought you might want t’ see Dawn before supper,” he offered, his voice gentle.

Buffy gave him a small smile and nodded. “Sure. Let’s do that.”

Dawn had the largest room by far, despite the fact that she’d never awoken after going into shock nearly ten years ago. The room was clean, hospital clean, and smelled of Lysol and ammonia, two of Buffy’s favorite scents … not. There was a television, the first Buffy had seen, on the wall at the foot of the bed. An episode of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' played on it, the volume low, just barely audible. Buffy realized it was from a DVD player, not a TV signal they were picking up. There was a small cot off to one side; Buffy thought it was perhaps for a nurse, but then realized it was more likely Spike’s.

Dawn’s skin was pasty-grey. If not for the even rise and fall of her chest, she would’ve looked dead. They had been forced to cut her hair short; it was simply too hard to keep it detangled and clean otherwise. It looked dull, brittle, and lifeless, not the shiny, bouncing, silky tresses she’d had before. Despite the small feeding tube running into her nose, she looked thin to Buffy; Dawn had never been heavy, but now she looked gaunt, her muscles atrophied. There were special boots on her feet that kept her ankles bent as if she were standing. Spike explained it was to keep her ankles from freezing straight and her toes from curling unnaturally; this way, when she did wake up, she would be able to stand properly. Her caretaker took the boots off each day and worked her ankles, feet, and knees, making sure they all kept some range of motion.  

Buffy stepped closer and laid her hand on Dawn’s shoulder. Spike held Annie back a couple of feet to give Buffy a little space. The girl from the Wish-World that had helped her, the only one that actually believed her, came back to Buffy’s mind and she smiled despite the moisture pooling in her eyes again. Despite Dawn leaving her alone after Buffy had killed Hallie, a human at the time, Buffy was sure that she would have never even gotten out of the crazy ward at Bedlam if it hadn’t been for her sister. Dawn had been brave and smart. She’d shown a ton of moxy and risked everything to help Buffy; Buffy wanted to find a way to return the favor.

“Dawn?” Buffy ventured softly. “Dawnie? It’s Buffy … I’m here. Can you hear me? Dawnie?”



But Dawn didn’t flinch or move, not a muscle twitched, her breathing didn’t change. Nothing happened.

Spike’s heart fell. He was so hopeful that having Buffy back would bring the Niblett out of it. If she could just hear Buffy’s voice, feel her sister’s touch, the girl would wake up. He thought God had finally tossed him a small crumb for his years of sacrifice for the greater good, but no. Apparently the Biggest Bad’s twisted sense of humor was still firmly intact.

Buffy turned to Spike and gave him an apologetic look as she shook her head slightly. Spike nodded and dropped his eyes to the floor. He would have to face facts. Dawn wasn’t going to wake up. For all intents and purposes, he’d been protecting a corpse for ten years … a breathing corpse.

“Can I … try?” Annie offered shyly. She was really curious to see this girl that was like her – the Key. Since she’d first been able to understand the ramifications of her Keyness, she’d always felt a little bit like a freak because of it. She couldn’t tell anyone about it or talk about it outside of her family; not even her best friend Janice knew. Now, here was someone that was just like her – it was practically a miracle. She felt an immediate kindredness towards Dawn and wished more than anything that she could talk to her.

“Sure, honey,” Buffy agreed, taking a step back.

Annie stepped up and studied Dawn’s face, then gently brushed back a few strands of short, brunette hair from the other girl’s forehead. Buffy’s sister looked so fragile that it made Annie afraid to touch her too hard lest she bruise. The comatose girl’s skin was so pale that Annie could see the blue blood vessels running like lines on a roadmap just under the surface. There was no movement from Dawn other than the steady rise and fall of her chest with slow, shallow breaths.

“Hi,” Annie whispered to her. “I’m Annie. The monks made me too … I’m a Key, just like you.”

Annie watched for any signs of comprehension on Dawn’s face, but didn’t see any. She forged ahead. “My mom died fighting Glory just like your sister did … but Dad and aunt Willow brought her back. I don’t really remember ‘cos I was just little, but Dad always tells me the story so it’s almost like I remember.

“Spike really loves you and would really love you to wake up,” Annie continued. “If you woke up, he wouldn’t be so sad and … my mom’s here. It would almost be like having your sister back … it would be like she came back to life, like my mom did.”

Annie stopped and waited. She brushed her fingertips lightly across Dawn’s cheek, but still nothing happened.

“I’d really love you to wake up too,” Annie admitted at last. “I wish I could talk to you.”

Annie finally sighed and turned around dejectedly. “I guess she doesn’t want to talk,” she told the adults who were standing behind her waiting.



“It’s ok, honey – it was nice of you to try,” Buffy assured her daughter, pulling her into a hug.

**~**

After spending another fifteen minutes with the comatose girl, Spike, Buffy, and Annie emerged from Dawn’s room. In the hallway Spike announced, “Here come your mates … Glinda and Harris,” tilting his head towards the approaching couple.

Buffy looked down the hallway in the direction he indicated and furrowed her brow. She quickly looked the other way, but there was no one there, so she looked back.

A pair of what looked like gladiators strode deliberately towards them. The man had long, wavy, dark brown hair pulled back from his face into a ponytail at the nape of his neck. His face was stern and his features chiseled. There was a firm set to his jaw and his face was bisected by an angry scar that ran from his right temple down to his lips, which were nothing more than a thin, hard line. His brown eyes looked old and calloused, as if they’d seen too many horrors in their life. Although not as tall as Riley, Xander’s body was just as cut, and the muscles of his arms bulged against the once-red, now faded to auburn, t-shirt he wore under an army-green flack-jacket. A cross-bow rested against his back within easy reach, the strap slung across his chest. Near his right hand on his belt he had a stun gun, on his left side there was a scabbard with a stake. In his left hand he carried a heavy, double-headed axe. It swung dangerously close to his leg, but he didn’t seem to notice the danger. His walk was purposeful; there was no meandering or light joviality to it. He appeared to be a warrior on a mission.

The woman with him was just a little shorter than Xander. Her light brown hair had been cut in a bob and hung barely to her shoulders. If she’d been taller, Buffy would’ve thought her an Amazon woman. The muscles of her arms, although not nearly as large as Xander’s, were equally defined, and her body was lean and hard. She was, in a word, svelte. Her large, blue eyes seemed to be in constant motion, as if scanning the landscape for danger. Her features held no scars, but there was a haunted appearance to her, giving the impression that, like Xander, Tara had seen too many horrors in her life. It appeared that she wore just a flack-jacket on top, but Buffy realized she had a white ribbed tank top on under it when they got closer. Tara had a sword strapped across her back, the hilt within easy reach above her left shoulder. The end of the sword’s sheath tapped on something metal that Buffy couldn’t see at the back of her belt and made a metallic ‘tinging’ sound with every step. Like Xander, Tara had a wooden stake in a scabbard and a stun gun strapped to her belt. Despite her shorter legs, her stride matched his purposeful pace step for step.

They both wore army-green fatigue pants and heavy black boots, but unlike Riley, their steps were light and nearly silent, even in the safety of the base camp. Without vampire strength, they had learned to rely on cunning and stealth to survive the years they’d spent battling the demons.

“Spike, we’ve got some problems …” Xander started as the two warriors approached the trio in the hallway. “Something’s up with the Reds, they’re…” Xander stopped midsentence as he looked at the person standing next to Spike.

His eyes narrowed as he studied Buffy’s face, then looked down her body slowly, as if looking for clues to her identity, and finally looked back at her face. “When did Warren fix the Bot? I thought we were out of parts… We could’ve used her today – the damn Reds tried to burn down The House. We took a few out, but it’s nearly destroyed. We radioed in, but Andrew said you were out.”

“I know about the bloody house, I was in it,” Spike informed him. “Not the Bot, Harris – it’s Buffy; flesh and bone.”



“What are you talking about, Spike? Did you get a hold of some of those funny mushrooms again? You know what they do to you,” Xander started with a scolding tone.

Spike’s brows shot up as he drew back his fist and punched Xander hard in the mouth. Buffy’s eyes went wide and she backed up a step, pulling Annie with her. To her surprise, Xander didn’t react or retaliate; he just wiped the blood from his lip and looked at Spike like nothing had happened.

“Not the Bot,” Spike stated again, his voice firm. “This is Buffy – not our Buffy, o’ course, but one that’s dropped in on us for a bit of a 'oliday. Brought ‘er daughter with her – Anne Joyce.”

Xander turned his eyes back to Buffy, finally noticing the girl that was now behind the Slayer. “You’re what’s got the Reds all crazy,” he realized. “The scent of a Slayer. Great, just what we need,” he groaned, throwing his hands in the air in frustration.

Buffy furrowed her brow. That was it? That was her big ‘welcome back from the dead’ from the man that had been one of her best friends since high school?

“Yeah,” Spike confirmed. “Get cleaned up – you can brief me over supper.”

“Right,” Xander agreed and turned to leave.

Buffy stuck her hand out and grabbed his arm. “Xander, it’s me – it’s really Buffy,” she offered.



Xander nodded. “Yeah, I get it,” he told her coldly before pulling free and heading down the hallway.

Buffy turned her eyes to Tara. “Tara, I …”

There seemed to a slight softening in the white witch’s blue eyes. A flicker of emotion that Buffy couldn’t identify darted over the witch’s face, but then was quickly replaced with a mask of indifference. “Don’t worry about him, he’s just cranky. He gets that way when the demons start getting antsy,” Tara advised. There was no stuttering to her words, just a calm confidence as she explained Xander’s actions.

“Or when the bloody sun doesn’t shine,” Spike added tersely.

Tara shrugged her agreement of Spike’s assessment, an almost-smile briefly touched just the corners of her mouth.

“See you at supper, then,” Tara ducked her head and excused herself, then hurried to catch up with Xander.

“What’s wrong with them?” Buffy asked Spike when they were out of earshot.



“I told you before, Buffy, the people here aren’t the people you knew. Don’t expect them to be. None of us.”

“Are they … together?”

Spike snorted harshly. “They ‘aven’t changed that much. Leopards don’t change their spots, Slayer. Misery just loves company, I reckon … they fight together – that's the long and short of it.”

Buffy nodded sadly and looked down the hall in the direction they’d gone. She watched Xander enter one room and Tara another. They were both alone. Just like Spike, they’d both lost the people they’d loved and all they were left with were faded memories to keep them company.

**~**

Buffy and Annie sat in silence as they ate supper in the cafeteria. The large room was empty save for the core leaders, the other inhabitants of the base camp having eaten earlier. Spike sat at the head of the table with Riley to his right and Xander to his left. Tara sat next to Xander and Warren next to Riley. Annie and Buffy shared the other end of the table from Spike, which she understood was normally Oz’s place when he was ‘in camp’.

She and Annie practically inhaled the spaghetti and meat sauce that was the main course … well, the only course. They were both starving after having nothing but a couple of cans of vegetables to sustain them over the last twenty-four hours. Buffy watched as everyone at the table related their experiences and observations of the day, not so much to the other members of the team, but mainly to Spike. It was clear he was the leader of this band of misfits, and apparently he led with an iron fist, as he’d demonstrated when Xander questioned his lucidity earlier.

Buffy tried to follow what they were talking about, but there were so many demon names that she didn’t understand and names of places that she didn’t know, that she really couldn’t keep up. She did realize that most everyone called the Jacks ‘Reds’ – except Spike who now called them ‘Jacks’, causing a bit of confusion for a few minutes. The gist of it, she realized, was that her presence here had incited the Jacks, the giant vampire bats, which, thankfully everyone just called ‘bats’, and the Turok-Han, which the group often called the ‘Big Uglies’. Apparently all the demons in town were now looking for her in earnest.  

“It’s only a matter of time before they track the Slayer here,” Xander was advising Spike. “We need to get her back to wherever she came from before they figure it out.”

“Not sure how easy that’s gonna be t’ do. The portal’s apparently ‘bout twenty feet over Bob’s pit at ground zero. Gonna have to build a platform … a ladder or somethin’ to get them back up there,” Spike informed Xander.

“Ummm …” Buffy interrupted, raising her hand. “Who’s Bob?”

Spike turned his eyes from Xander down the table to look at her. “The overgrown ant lion … Bob the Bug.”

“You … named the demon bug?” Buffy asked incredulously. “He almost killed us!”



Spike shrugged. “Consider ‘im an ally – as long as you aren’t daft enough t’ fall in, he’s no threat. Taken out a good number ‘o demons over the years, he has. We don’t mess with 'im, he don’t mess with us. Works out brilliantly.”

“Oh,” was the only thing Buffy could think to say to that, still slightly taken aback by the fact that they had named the bug.

“Is the portal still open?” Warren wondered. He made Buffy’s skin crawl. He hadn’t changed at all. He still looked like the geeky, weasel-y jerk that killed both his girlfriend, Katrina, and Tara in the other dimension. Buffy had no problem not trusting him.

“No, it closed on its own when they popped through,” Spike answered him.

“How will they re-open it?” Warren continued, looking down the table at Buffy while they talked about her like she wasn’t even there.

“Hello! ‘They’ are right here! Annie’s …” she began to answer his question, but Spike cut her off.

“They’ve got a way – it’s none of your concern,” Spike stated unequivocally, narrowing his eyes at Buffy and silently telling her to ‘shut her gob’ about Annie. Trust no one.

“Great … so we have to build another tower while fighting off the bats, the Reds, and the Big Uglies. Another day in paradise,” Xander actually quipped, although the tone of his voice was flat, holding no humor at all.

“Uhhh … could the Slayer say something?” Buffy questioned and all eyes turned to her. “Maybe, instead of trying to get rid of me, you could use me to kill the bad guys. I am the Slayer, after all, it’s kind of a thing I do.”

“Oh, right,” Spike spoke up. “Like you killed ‘em yesterday? Seems to me I had to save your ass from being eaten.”

Buffy harrumphed and crossed her arms over her chest. “I didn’t have any weapons then. I didn’t know the rules had changed and you had to poke the Jacks in the eye to dust them. I’m still the Slayer and, as I recall, I kicked your skinny ass pretty handily,” she retorted haughtily.

Everyone drew in a breath and held it as they looked back at Spike with wide eyes.

“Would you excuse us a mo'?  Need a word with the Slayer,” Spike’s voice rumbled deeply and everyone but Buffy and Annie jumped up from the table and cleared the room as if someone had yelled ‘Fire!’



Spike stood up slowly and stalked down to the end of the table where Buffy and Annie sat. He leaned down, putting one hand on the table in front of her and one on the back of Buffy’s chair. “You’re new here and you don’t know the rules, so I’m gonna let this one slide, Slayer. But don’t ever … ever talk to me like that again, ya got it? It took a bloody long time for me to gain their respect and when you’re long gone, off skipping through a flowery meadow with your sweet little blondie bear, I’ll still be here, fighting – keeping m’ promise.”

“You’ve changed,” Buffy informed him, meeting his gaze defiantly.

“Told ya that before, Slayer.”

Maybe Spike didn’t understand her statement – she didn’t mean he’d changed since before she died, she meant he’d changed in just the last couple of hours. He’d changed since he’d told her the story of Riley’s demise and admitted their … relationship. Was that the reason for his change or was it because she couldn’t wake Dawn up?

Buffy’s heart grew cold under his gaze. He seemed to be stabbing icicles into her soul with the frostiness that had formed in his normally warm eyes. An involuntarily shiver ran through her. “Why?” she asked as she searched his eyes for some hint of the teasing and protective Spike that had been with her and Annie the last twenty-four hours.

“Private party?” came a voice from the doorway, interrupting them, and Spike stood up, never taking his stern gaze off Buffy.

“No, c’mon in – bring the other gits with ya,” Spike addressed the voice without looking.

When the blond vamp finally moved back to his place at the head of the table, the others were coming back through the door. The new voice, she realized, was Oz.

Out of habit, Oz headed to his spot at the end of the table, but stopped short when he realized someone was already sitting there. He stared at Buffy a moment, then at Annie. His nose seemed to twitch, as if he were picking their scent out of the air, but his stoic expression never changed. His appearance hadn’t changed much either; his red hair was longer, shaggier and he had a thin beard covering his face. He wore a bright teal bowling shirt and loose-fitting jeans over a pair of black Converse All-Stars – he looked like he was just getting in from playing a gig at the Bronze.

“It’s really Buffy,” Xander offered.

“Yeah, I pretty much get that,” Oz replied dryly as he turned his attention to the empty table next to them and pulled another chair over.

Without any other question about where Buffy had come from or why she was here, Oz turned and addressed Spike. “Octopussy’s back,” Oz stated, as if that was the most natural thing in the world to say.

Spike nodded. “Just one?”



“Looks like. Going for the Olga Maersk this time.”

Spike nodded thoughtfully, steepling his fingers and resting his chin on them. Buffy thought he looked like a broody Angel when he did that, but resisted the urge to say so lest she provoke another scolding.

“Going after the food supply. Smart,” he finally offered before looking at Tara.

“Think you can mojo it away again, Glinda?”

Tara shrugged. “Should be able to.”

“Brilliant. We’ll go tomorrow, then,” Spike summarized as he began to stand up and adjourn the meeting, it had been a long day.

“Got more,” Oz stopped him.

Spike settled back into his chair and looked at the smaller man expectantly.

“Reds are trying to conjure something, not sure what. Demon conjuring never ends well,” Oz related.

“Where?” Spike asked.

“Mexican Reefer, aft starboard hold,” Oz supplied and Spike nodded again as if Oz had actually spoken the Queen’s English.

“We’ll check it out at the same time then. Be ready at noon,” he told the group standing up and heading out of the room without another word, Riley following behind him like a puppy.

“Hey,” Oz offered belatedly to Buffy as if she was someone he saw every day.



“Hey,” she replied. Taking the risk of sounding like a naïve ten year old, she asked, “What’s a Mexican reefer?”

“A ship.”

“Oh … why do you call it that? Do you store your stash on it or something?”

“That’s its name – big letters on the back, kinda in the middle,” Oz explained, holding his hands up as if to frame the name in the middle.

“Oh. Interesting name. Well, that’s a good policy then … calling things by their actual names like that so everyone can understand.”

Oz shrugged noncommittally. “Well, we tried using totally different names for things, but it didn’t really work out.”

Buffy nodded. “What are the demons trying to conjure?”

Oz shook his head. “Dunno.”

“Have they conjured things before?” she wondered.

“Yeah.”

“And it never ends well…” Buffy supplied.

“Never,” Oz agreed.

Buffy sighed. Talking to Oz was like talking to a dictionary with all but one page ripped out.

“Buffy?” Tara interrupted their tantalizing, in-depth conversation.

“Yeah?” Buffy turned her eyes to the woman.

“Spike asked me to get you and Annie a room … you’re probably tired.”

Buffy smiled and nodded. “Not sure that ‘tired’ begins to define it,” she agreed, standing up stiffly and grabbing Annie’s hand.

“Breakfast is at seven … but if you miss it you can get something from the pantry. I think there’re pickled beets and … oh, green beans in there,” Tara offered, waving a hand towards a door that, handily, said ‘Pantry’ on it.

“Two of our favorites,” Buffy quipped with fake enthusiasm.

“We’re running kinda low on the canned goods,” Tara offered as explanation. “Maybe we can get more tomorrow after we take care of these problems down at the docks.”

“What’s an Octopussy?” Buffy asked as she followed Tara to their room.

“It’s a big demon that looks like an octopus. The guys just like to say ‘Octopussy’ … they’re perpetually twelve,” Tara explained rolling her eyes.

“Big as in … like a submarine big?” Buffy asked as bells started blaring in her brain.

“Yeah, I guess. It’s pretty big.”

“And you ‘mojo it away’? Where do you mojo them away to?” Buffy wondered, although she was starting to think she knew.

“Not sure … Willow had a spell she’d come up with to try on Glory. It was supposed to send her to another dimension and get her out of our hair. She never had a chance to finish it or try it, though. I tweaked it a little and use it for the really big demons that we can’t fight.”

“To get them out of your hair,” Buffy added. “And … what? Drop them into someone else’s? That could give someone a really bad hair day.”

Tara shrugged. “I don’t think they really go to another dimension, I don’t have the power that Willow did. I think they just get dropped over by Japan or something. The Japanese should appreciate them. They’re used to having their cities destroyed by giant monsters – haven’t you ever seen ‘Godzilla’ or ‘Rodan’?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. This girl wasn’t the Tara she knew. For one thing, the Tara she knew wouldn’t use magic without knowing the consequences. Spike’s words rang in her ears, They’ve changed. We all have.

“You think? You don’t know?” Buffy asked more harshly than she intended.

“Hey – I’m helping here,” Tara defended. “I didn’t give up and commit suicide by taking a nose dive off the tower like some people!”

“What?!” Buffy exclaimed as she stopped and turned to face the white witch. “Is that what you think she did? Is that what everyone here thinks?”



“Well, it’s true, isn’t it? You saw the portal opening, all the demons pouring in, and you just didn’t want to deal. I saw it myself just before the tower fell on me, you just jumped off the gangplank.”

“No! No! That’s not what happened at all! I … she … Buffy jumped into the portal to close it,” Buffy defended. “I did it to save you all!” she added, tired of trying to find the right pronoun to use for someone that was her, but not.

Tara snorted softly. “Yeah, well … good work with that,” she sniffed derisively and turned on her heel, leaving Buffy and Annie standing in front of what was apparently, their room: directly across the hall from Spike and Riley’s.

**~**

“What’s wrong with everyone?” Annie asked as they ducked past the heavy quilt that hung over the opening and into their room.

Buffy shook her head and sighed. “They … they’ve been through a lot,” she told her daughter. “They aren’t the same as the people we know. We just need to try and get home – soon.”

“Even dad … I mean, Spike, is being all mean. He wasn’t like that earlier,” Annie pointed out. “He didn’t talk to me at all … and he never said ‘luv’ or ‘pet’ one time since we came in this place.”

“Yeah, I don’t know what’s got him all bad-moody,” Buffy admitted with a frown.



“I never heard Dad talk to you like that before … I mean he was so …” Annie’s voice trailed off as she tried to figure out what it was that was different. She’d heard her parents fight before, of course, but today at dinner it was somehow different.

“Cold,” Buffy provided, knowing exactly what Annie was talking about.

Annie shrugged. “Yeah,” she agreed.

Buffy let out a long breath. “I don’t know – I’m too tired now to try and figure it out. Let’s get some sleep, ok – tomorrow’s another day.”

“Can I ask you one more thing?” Annie pressed on.

“Sure, honey.”

“Is Spike … ummm … is he like … gay?”

Buffy took a deep breath in through her mouth and blew it out through her nose trying to figure out how to answer that question. “No.” It was a cop-out. It was all she could manage in her exhaustion. She hoped Annie would drop it.

“So …. he’s just friends with that Riley guy?” Annie continued in earnest, her look was doubtful.

Buffy sighed. “No … not exactly.”

“I don’t understand. I don’t think Spike loves him. He never says nice things to him. And, isn’t Spike supposed to be just like Dad? Dad’s not gay,” she asserted. “Plus – he loved Buffy … so …”

“It’s complicated, honey. They … He …” Buffy stammered, unsure what to tell her, then repeated, “It’s complicated.”

Annie scrunched her face up in frustration. “I’m not eleven anymore,” she asserted in annoyance.

“I know that. I know you’re old enough to understand – I just wish I was old enough to explain it to you,” Buffy admitted, rubbing tiredly at her eyes.

Annie gave her a disbelieving look.

“He … Ok, ummm … Riley’s a vampire,” Buffy tried again. “And so is Spike. And so they … paired up. They have … something in common and so ...” Buffy stopped and sighed. “Honey, I think he was just lonely, and in this world Riley is the one person he feels like he has some kind of connection with. Spike’s not gay … he’s just … I guess … open-minded.”

“He’s bi?” Annie asked, surprising Buffy. “Is Dad bi, too?!” Annie continued, her voice growing strained, as her brain whirled with that possibility.



“Where did you learn that?” Buffy asked her daughter, ignoring the second question completely.

Anne shrugged. “I’m twelve. I hear things.”

“Yes you do,” Buffy agreed with a slight groan. “Can we go to sleep now? I’m really tired.”

It didn’t escape Annie’s notice that her mom hadn’t answered her question about her dad. That fact, in and of itself, was an answer. She wasn’t sure how she felt about that. It was weird enough to think about your parents having sex, but to think about something like that? To think about them having sex with someone else? Someone else of the same gender? It was all, well … very squicky.

How did two people of the same gender have sex, exactly? Her mom hadn’t covered that in ‘the talk’ and Anya’s book hadn’t shown that, either. Of course, her mom forgot the cramps thing in ‘the talk’ too. Annie was starting to think they needed another talk.

Finally realizing she would get no more information from her mom on this subject, Annie nodded. Then, almost as an afterthought, she added, “If Buffy was here, he wouldn’t be with Riley. He still loves her. He told me so.”

Buffy nodded sadly. “Yeah, that’s probably true.”

**~**

Buffy noted that Spike had put her scythe, which she’d left in his room earlier, atop the empty dresser in this room. She picked it up and looked under it, sort of hoping for a little note or something from him, but was disappointed to find nothing. She rolled her eyes at her own childish expectation – he wasn’t her Spike; he was Riley’s. Of course he wouldn’t be leaving little notes to, for example, tell her why he was acting like an ass or apologize to her or ask her to meet him somewhere so they could talk in private. Nevertheless, she felt a distinct feeling of loss. She missed the Spike that had been with them on Revello and on the trip to and from the vineyard and wished he'd come back.

Not finding any pajamas or even any other clothes in the room, the two took off their shoes and jeans and climbed into the one double bed in their shirts and undies. Buffy lay on her back, Annie cuddled up next to her and the girl fell asleep almost immediately. Buffy wasn’t so lucky. The day’s events kept rolling around in her brain as she tried to figure out what made Spike change so drastically. She thought about Spike’s story about turning Riley, her argument with him about it – maybe that was it. Then there was his admission of being lovers with the turned soldier; that was still a bit freaky for Buffy. Although she and Spike rarely talked about his time with Angelus, Dru, and Darla, the little he had said led her to believe he and Angelus had had sex more than once. But Riley? Spike loathed Riley. Of course, Spike loathed Angel, too.



Buffy begged her brain to stop. She needed rest; there was no telling what tomorrow would bring and she needed to be sharp. Just as her brain began to quiet and her eyes closed she heard the unmistakable sound of Spike moaning her name. Her eyes shot open and she looked around their room, but she and Annie were alone. Then she heard it again along with the equally unmistakable sound of love-making.

“Oh God…” she muttered as the volume of the moans and grunts and sounds of flesh slapping against flesh increased. She could hear her name being uttered, moaned, growled, not just by Spike but by Riley too, as the tempo of the slapping flesh quickened and the guttural groans grew louder.



Buffy covered her ears with her hands and closed her eyes, but all she saw when she did that was Spike and Riley … naked, together, flesh on flesh. She opened them again in a flash and concentrated on looking at a clock that sat on a table near the bed. It was the only light she could see in the dark of the room. The last thing she expected tonight was them going all Brokeback Mountain on her. It was one thing to be told they were lovers, quite another to experience it like this. She began to hum, trying anything to get the sound of the two men, who, according to Spike, both saw her when they closed their eyes, out of her brain. Unfortunately, the only song that came to mind for her to hum was ‘I Touch Myself’. This was sooo not working.

Buffy heard Spike’s roar of release and felt her own panties dampen and her channel begin to throb just from the sound. She was infuriated with herself for letting him get to her that way and tears of frustration stung her eyes. She tried to tell herself that it was only a natural response to hearing what sounded like her husband when he was with her; she was Pavlov’s dog … or, apparently, Spike’s dog. It wasn’t like she was cheating on her husband or lusting after some other man, she assured herself; her lust was for her husband. That sounded good until she reminded herself that it wasn’t her husband across the hall having sex with Riley. She gave up trying to tell herself anything, she was just getting more confused about the whole thing.

She no sooner took her hands away from her ears than the groans and growls started anew.  The sounds of violent, slurping kisses then what she knew was a sloppy wet, passionate blow-job made their way to her ears as both men moaned in pleasure. She could hear Spike murmuring her name again, his voice a low, rich purr over Riley's moans, and wished to whatever passed for God in this dimension to just make it stop.

“Please stop…” Buffy begged the empty room as she tried to get the unbidden visual of the two vamps out of her mind. She hadn't actually realized she'd spoken aloud.

“What?” Annie called sleepily and Buffy nearly jumped out of her skin.

“Nothing, honey – go back to sleep now,” Buffy cooed as she prayed that Annie didn’t wake up enough to actually focus on the sounds coming from across the hall. She was twelve, after all, as she herself had informed Buffy earlier: she heard things.

Buffy leaned her head down near Annie’s ear and began to softly sing to her, as she tried to get her daughter back to sleep and cover up the sounds which were now growing louder again. She needed a different song than the one running around in her head … she dug deep and finally found it.

“♫ Early one morning, just as the sun was rising, I heard a maid sing in the valley below: ‘Oh don't deceive me, Oh never leave me, How could you use a poor maiden so?’♫”

**~**

Three hours and thirteen minutes later the sounds finally stopped filtering into her brain and body from across the hall. Buffy could’ve told you how many seconds, too, if the clock on the bedside table had displayed them. She’d never thought she’d miss the ear-splitting sounds of silence that she’d endured the previous night, but during those three hours and thirteen minutes she would’ve given her soul for it.

At nearly two am, Buffy finally, thankfully, fell asleep…



Buffy was swimming in an ocean of crystal-clear water – she was under the water, but could breathe fine as she twirled, dove, and ascended as if she was flying weightlessly. She felt like a mermaid – without the scaly, annoying tail, as the water skimmed over her bare skin and caressed her body with its silky fingers. When she turned around, Spike was with her and she laughed in delight as he chased her in the warm water. They passed colorful coral and darted in and out of brightly-lit caves with the glee of children. Spike’s alabaster skin shone in the reflected light of the sun above them like the luster of a perfect pearl; his muscles rippled when he moved, drawing Buffy’s fingers like magnets.

Buffy let her hands and fingers drift lazily across Spike’s back as he swam back and forth below her. She was reminded of a trip to Sea World and the dolphin petting area. Their skin was just as smooth as silk and Spike’s felt the same way under her palms … although she didn’t have to buy any little dead fish to feed Spike to make him come up to be petted. That was a plus. Spike turned over and began swimming on his back as Buffy’s hands roamed over the hard muscles of his chest and down his body, following the ‘V’ that formed under his navel and raking lightly over his erection.

Spike moaned in pleasure as he swam back and forth effortlessly in the warm, clear water. The lovely sea creature poured bliss over him with her touch, and he drank it in greedily. She was magnificent. Her hair fanned out in the waves like a golden waterfall, ebbing and flowing all around her beautiful face. Her touch was so light, he could barely tell it from the water washing over him. But where she touched him his skin tingled as if she were made of magic and was transferring it to him through her fingertips.

Spike suddenly lunged up towards her and captured her lips in a passionate kiss as he wrapped his arms around her. His hands roamed up and down her body, from her firm, bare butt, over the swell of her hips and up to the supple roundness of her breasts as he ravaged her lips with his. The pair twirled in the sparkling water as sunlight poured down on them from high above, filtering through the waves and creating ripples of light and shadow on their bare flesh.



“So wet you are,” Spike murmured to her as his finger slid between her pussy lips, probing her soft, slick folds gently.

Buffy moaned in pleasure when he touched her aching, throbbing pussy. So hungry for him … ravenous, craving his cock, longing for him to fill her. His finger slipped into her – no, not enough. His thumb found her clit and teased it with the touch of a ghost – no, not enough. More. She needed more.

Suddenly Spike pulled away, gave her a teasing smirk, and began to swim down away from her. No – don’t go! Buffy dove after him, her whole body undulated powerfully as she cut through the water. Spike darted into a wide, dark cave. She followed. The passage narrowed and then brightened; it wasn’t a cave, it was a hallway … smooth and sterile. White floors, white ceiling, white walls. Then she lost him. She was in a maze of colorful quilts and blankets and curtains that hung from nothing within the white cave, still under the water, still swimming and breathing. Where did he go?

Then, there he was, looking out from behind one of the blankets, smiling at her, his blue eyes sparkling with mischief and desire. Buffy pulled the blanket down and dropped it onto the white floor as she started towards him, but then stopped short. There wasn’t one but two Spikes waiting for her behind the blanket.

They swam around her like sprites as she stood on the blanket and watched, transfixed by them – seemingly identical in every way. Then they began darting in closer, touching her, raking their ghostly fingers over her back, her legs, her stomach, her breasts. She moaned and raised her arms up, opening herself to them. Yes, touch me. And they did. Lips and hands, magical fingers and gentle palms touched her seemingly everywhere at once and she exploded in the ecstasy of it.



Her body arched and shuddered as the two Spikes made love to her skin: kissing, licking, biting, nibbling, pinching, caressing, pulling, stroking. Their mouths and lips were soft and sweet as they both roamed over her, inch by glorious inch, their teeth hard and unforgiving as they nibbled and bit at her soft flesh. Their hands at times gentle and loving, at other times rough and brutal – it all combined into a beautiful symphony of rapture.

Buffy was flying. Flying in a sea of passion and yearning and these two kept her soaring higher and higher as they built her hunger and desire for them past anything she’d felt before.

“Take me!” she screamed at them finally, unable to wait another second for the feel of Spike’s hard manhood pressing into her.

“Take us both, kitten,” Spike murmured into her ear. “I want to feel him inside you, pumping you, ravishing you. Want to see the pleasure of him on your face… I want his cum filling you.”

And Buffy wanted nothing less. “Yes,” she accepted eagerly, breathlessly before capturing his lips with hers. She stroked his cock roughly with her hand and it hardened even more under her touch.

The Spike that had spoken pulled her down onto the blanket at their feet with him, which didn’t so much seem to be on a hard floor as floating in the water, which still surrounded them. With practiced ease, Buffy mounted him and guided Spike’s rock-hard erection into her yearning pussy. She gasped in pleasure as he entered her, his manhood stretching her and filling her with utter bliss.



She moaned deeply as he circled her nipples delicately with his fingers, sending chill bumps racing over her skin. Then silent-Spike was behind her, pressing her body forward, lowering himself down to their level. Buffy shuddered in anticipation as he slid his cock down her crack, pausing at her puckered hole before gently pushing in.

“Oh God…” was the only thought that formed in her mind or crossed her lips as she felt them both begin to move inside her. She locked her eyes with the Spike that was below her, she could see the ecstasy he was feeling reflected in his face. Passion and desire sparkled in his blue eyes as he looked up into hers and seeing that lifted her own pleasure even higher.

The Spike behind her gathered a handful of her flowing hair into one hand and pulled her head back, forcing her back to arch and lifting her ass up higher to him. The Spike below her dug his fingers painfully into her hips and pulled her back down to his level. For a moment the two fought for control – one pulling her up, the other pulling her down even as they both pumped their cocks into her. Buffy cried out from the pain and pleasure they were inflicting on her body, a dizzying combination that sent her senses reeling. She at once wanted it to stop and wanted it to continue – how high could they take her with it?

After few moments the two men seemed to find peace with each other and the painful tugging and fighting over her body eased. She was at once disappointed and relieved.

Buffy looked back down at the Spike below her. He was watching her with an adoration she’d seen in his eyes many times, but this time there was something more – she couldn’t put her finger on it – it was almost a look of worship, if she had to put a word to it.

“Can you feel him?” she asked softly, hoping he could feel a small amount of what she could. It was beyond anything she’d ever felt before.

The Spike beneath her smiled, a look of wonderment spreading over his features as he bit down on his bottom lip with his teeth and nodded. “Yeah, kitten … bloody brilliant, it is. Feel him movin’ in ya … God, Buffy … fucking amazin’.”

And Buffy agreed … amazing…

They had done this before with a vibrator taking the place of one of the Spikes, of course, but this … this was completely different. The feeling of not just their cocks inside her, but their hard bodies rubbing against her took it to a whole other level. The feel of their flesh against hers, their moans, how they both now called her name … it was astonishing, incredible … absolutely breathtaking. Buffy could feel the waves of euphoria building inside her, lifting her up again. She began soaring higher and higher as they both pumped into her harder and faster.

The two Spikes made love to her even as they made love to each other within her. Each could feel the other when they moved, each strived to pleasure the other as much as they were pleasuring Buffy. It was a surreal feeling, as if they were making love to two people at once.

Buffy rode the waves of rapture they were creating in her, letting them set the pace, simply surrendering to her two lovers and getting lost in the sound of their cries, their pleasured moans, and murmured endearments. On some level, she knew this was a dream … nothing more than that. She knew if Freud were here, he’d say it was her subconscious dealing with the three hours and thirteen minutes of male bonding she’d been subjected to. But another part of her, the primal woman inside, was more than happy to give into it, go with it … let it engulf her. After three hours and thirteen minutes of torture, she deserved this gift. She chose to be engulfed.

As her lovers’ tempos rose, so did their cries. The murmured endearments became streaming exclamations to her, to God … to the devil himself. The control they’d been maintaining faltered and they drove into her with unrestrained passion, brutality, and wanton desire. Buffy could hear and feel and see their demons rising up as the pleasure became overwhelming and she let them take her with them – flying through the blazing fires of hell before rising to the billowing sumptuousness of heaven.

The Spike behind her was pulling on her hair again, holding her with it as you’d hold the mane of a wild horse at a gallop, and she tilted her head back to ease the pressure on her scalp. Then the lover below was pulling, twisting, and groping her breasts and nipples roughly, his fingers digging into her supple flesh, and bolts of pleasurable pain shot through her as they carried her closer and closer to nirvana.

“More! Harder!” she demanded of them – she wanted everything they could give her. Every ounce of passion, every drop of desire, every pleasure, every pain they could inflict, she wanted in that moment. She dug her nails into Spike’s shoulders, drawing blood. He responded by slamming into her harder, driving his cock deeper, his pubic bone jarring her clit violently with every fevered thrust.

Buffy felt like they were spinning and spiraling out of control – turning and twisting, burning and freezing, flying then sailing and she couldn’t contain it one more second. Her body tensed between them, her pussy walls tightening painfully around one lover, her ass clenching around the other, as her orgasm exploded and crashed through her body like a runaway train. It was a violent and powerful collision as the pain and the pleasure ran headlong into each other, crushing all sense of time and space and sending her hurtling skyward. Her head snapped back further as her back arched and her soul-piercing scream sent large ripples out through the clear water that surrounded them, washing over her lovers like liquid fire.

Both Spikes roared loud and long as their cum shot into her, their cocks throbbed and pulsed, separated only by the thin veil of their lover’s flesh between them. It seemed impossible that they could actually feel the other’s cum surging into her, filling her, but they could, somehow they could, and it lifted both men even higher than they’d ever been before.

Buffy’s body milked them as she shuddered and quivered around them, over them, under them … surrounding them with her feral passion and darkest, most savage desires. Never before had they known such a woman; she was at once an animal, a visceral, dark creature of the night, and a goddess, a golden nymph, bathed in shimmering sunlight. She was everything to them … their one true love, their one true match in all the world – in all the universe.

Buffy slumped down onto the Spike below her, spent, satiated … dizzy from the heights and power of her orgasm. He wrapped his arms around her as the three of them turned gently over to the side and began floating lazily in the clear water. The lovers were still intertwined, their cocks still buried deep inside her, limbs meshing, tangling around each other. Their spendings dripped from her, covering them both with the juices of the other as well as her own slick honey. Buffy sighed and closed her eyes as strong arms literally engulfed her from all sides, as hard bodies surrounded her in a protective shroud. Safe. Peaceful. Floating secure in the embrace of her lovers. Home.



**~**

{{  Click here to hear S&M by Rhianna on YouTube  }}

Na na na na
Come on, Na na na na
Come on,Na na na na na
Come on,Na na na na
 
Come on, come on, come on
Na na na na
Come on, Na na na na
Come on,Na na na na na
Come on,Na na na na
Come on, come on, come on
Na na na na
 
Feels so good being bad (Oh oh oh oh oh)
There's no way I'm turning back (Oh oh oh oh oh)
Now the pain is my pleasure cause nothing could measure (Oh oh oh oh oh)
 
Love is great, love is fine (Oh oh oh oh oh)
Outta box, outta line (Oh oh oh oh oh)
The affliction of the feeling leaves me wanting more (Oh oh oh oh oh)
 
Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it
Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But chains and whips excite me
 
Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it
Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But chains and whips excite me
 
Na na na na
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it (Na na na)
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it
 
Love is great, love is fine (Oh oh oh oh oh)
Outta box, outta line (Oh oh oh oh oh)
The affliction of the feeling leaves me wanting more (Oh oh oh oh oh)
 
Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it
Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it
 
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But chains and whips excite me
 
Na na na na
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it (Na na na)
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it
 
S-S-S & M-M-M
S-S-S & M-M-M
 
Oh, I love the feeling you bring to me, oh, you turn me on
It's exactly what I've been yearning for, give it to me strong
And meet me in my boudoir make my body say ah-ah-ah
 
I like it-like it
 
Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it
Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But chains and whips excite me
 
Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it
Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But chains and whips excite me
 
Na na na na
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it (Na na na)
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it
Come on, come on, come on
I like it-like it
 
S-S-S & M-M-M
S-S-S & M-M-M
S-S-S & M-M-M
S-S-S & M-M-M

End Notes:
TBC ... What made Spike change so drastically towards Buffy? Will that coldness continue, or can she bring him back out of the deep-freeze? And what about Tara and Xander - will they ever soften towards her? Can they find a way to get Buffy and Annie home soon? Or will, as she told Annie, *their* Spike come looking? Lots more to come!
King of Anything, Part 1 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike asserts his authority as the head of the Scoobies; Buffy, as expected, fights it.
**
Music Referenced: King of Anything - Sara Bareilles http://youtu.be/RPk4_XfYhjg
Some Screencaps courtesy of Broken Innocence (others from ScreenCap Paradise which is, sadly, no more). http://broken-innocence.net/index2.html
**
As always, thanks to u2fan2005, epd4, and Anona for all their help betaing this chapter. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Early morning hours next day, Sunday, April 17th, 2011, Gift-less Dimension:

Spike woke in the cold, strong arms of his lover, as he’d done for the last ten years, but this time was different. The dream he’d had of a wild, wanton, passionate Buffy warmed him from the inside out. She filled his dreams and fantasies often over the years, that wasn’t so unusual, but this dream was so different from the others that it almost frightened him. She was more than he’d ever before imagined she could be – a dark princess, a passionate lover, an animal. Was it her proximity that had brought on the crazed and brutal dream of her making love not only to him, but his twin? Was her presence here enough to take him to a place that he had never ventured before? Spike shuddered at the memory of the dream and stroked his cock – hard again despite the hours of sex he’d had with Riley earlier.

Spike’s mind wandered as his hand fondled and caressed his erection, swirling the slick pearl of pre-cum around the head with his thumb. Riley had been summarily pissed off when Spike got back to base with Buffy the previous day. There was unveiled jealousy in the red eyes of his childe, his lover, and Spike didn’t like it one bit. He did not belong to Riley; Riley belonged to him.  Spike gave Finn more leeway than most, as long as it was done in private, but that didn’t make him happy about his lover’s tirade …

Yesterday within minutes of returning to base:

“What the hell is going on, Spike?” Riley demanded after Spike ushered him into one of the few private offices that hadn’t been turned into a storage room. Spike closed the door, leaving the Slayer and her daughter in the hall outside. “Where have you been? Who the hell is that out in the hall?” Finn fired off at him angrily, his red, demon eyes flaring brightly. “And what in God’s name happened to your hair!?”



Spike took a deep breath to try and stay calm before answering him. “It’s Buffy and her daughter … not our Buffy, mind you – another one. Just as annoying and bossy, but from a different dimension,” Spike began to explain.

“How … what … when …” Finn stammered in frustration.

“They fell in a portal and ended up 'ere – wasn’t on purpose. She knows where the portal is; we just need to suss out how to get them back through it. It’s over that bloody bug pit at ground zero,” Spike told Riley. “Bob tried to eat them. Reckon he found the Slayer a might too gristly for his liking.”

Riley ignored Spike’s attempt to lighten the mood. “When?” he asked, searching Spike’s face for some hope that his sire hadn’t spent the whole night with … her.

Spike planted his hands on his hips and faced his childe. Finn was upset – ok, he got that, but he really didn’t like the insinuation behind the one-word question. “Yesterday. I found ‘em at the altar and tracked ‘em to the house.”

“And you’ve been with her ever since then?” Riley’s voice rose in pitch until he sounded like a petulant child. “You cut and bleached your hair for her! All this time I was worried about you and you’ve been playing house with her?” Finn shot back with no veil at all to the accusation in his voice.


“OI! Where I go, what I do, and who the bloody hell I do it with are my business,” Spike growled, moving a step closer to him. Riley towered over his sire physically, but still backed up a step when Spike moved in.



Riley swallowed back his anger and jealousy, then asked, “Why are they here?” The question was full of suspicion. “She’s here for you, isn’t she?”

“Noooo,” Spike droned. “I told ya, they fell in a portal … this ain’t a holiday hotspot or the bloody Dating Game,” Spike retorted sarcastically.

“What are you going to … do with her?”

Spike sucked in an exasperated breath and huffed it out loudly. “Told ya, find a way to get ‘em back through the portal … send ‘em ‘ome.”

“Are you … going with her?”

“Nooo,” Spike spoke slowly, as if Finn didn’t have all his faculties.

“The Reds are in an uproar. It’s because of her, isn’t it?” Riley questioned, eyeing the door as if he could see Buffy and Annie out in the hall.

“Reckon so.”

“Spike! She’s gonna get us killed! Just toss them out of here! When the Reds figure out where she is, they’re gonna launch an all-out assault!” Finn advised adamantly. “If the different clans find a common goal that can motivate them to work together, we’re done for. And I’m thinking a Slayer in the mix is a damn good goal to make them pool their resources.”

Spike’s brow’s shot up in surprise at his childe. “Toss Buffy and the girl out? Kill them then? That’s what you want me t’ do?”



“Yes! She doesn’t belong here! She’s not our responsibility!” Finn began, trying to stay calm, but his emotions got the better of him. His words started coming out fast and hot as his anger and frustration boiled over. “Can’t you remember how she treated us? Both of us! That bitch used us for what she wanted and tossed us away when we weren’t convenient anymore! It was nothing but take, take, take with her! And now what? All’s forgiven? You’re just gonna pick up where you left off, being her pet vampire? Stealing her undies and panting around her like a pathetic fool, waiting for her to toss you a crumb?”

Riley desired her, just as Spike did, but at the same time she was a threat to him. While she was dead, she was a beautiful fantasy for them both; now that she was flesh and bone, in Riley’s eyes, she was a competitor for Spike’s attention. He needed Spike to get rid of her. Then they could settle back into what had become a comfortable routine of strikes and parries between their small group of ‘freedom fighters’ and the hordes of demons that infested Sunnydale. Riley liked comfortable routines. They had been ingrained in him since an early age on his parents’ farm and drilled into every cell in his body in the Army. He abhorred change, and the Slayer being here was sure to bring about change. Riley held no illusions; Buffy was his sire’s one true desire, just as she had been his at one time. If Spike chose her, where would that leave the half-breed vamp? Out in the cold, Riley concluded quickly.

“She’ll ruin everything!” he continued. “She’s here to take what little we have left! It’s her or us, Spike,” Finn told him pleadingly, moving forward one tentative step towards his sire. “You have to give her to the Reds … it’s the only way to keep the community safe. It’s for the greater good!”


When Finn got within arm’s reach, Spike swung an iron fist at his face. The blond’s knuckles battered Finn’s jaw, rocking the larger demon’s head to the side and sending a geyser of blood spraying across the room and painting the far wall with a splattering of crimson. Finn dropped down to one knee as his head spun from the impact. He wiped at the blood that covered his mouth and closed his eyes to try and get the floor to stop tilting.

Spike bent over him, his mouth right next to his childe’s ear. Spike’s voice was a threatening growl that rumbled from deep within him. “Nothing happens to those girls. Nothing! I’m in bloody charge here, not you. Never forget who made you. You belong to me. I do not belong to you. Am I makin’ myself clear?”


Riley nodded as he licked the blood off his lips, his eyes glued down on the floor.



Spike stood back up and ran a hand through his curls then began stalking away from his childe. Spike’s anger seethed just below the surface; it was starting to get the better of him. He had to get away from Finn before he did something rash that he couldn’t undo.

“She’ll be the end of you.” Riley’s voice quavered, it was barely a whisper.

“Then so be it,” Spike replied, his voice just as low but determined, steadfast. He opened the door and stepped out, leaving Riley alone in the empty office.

**~**

Spike didn’t love Finn; in fact, as Buffy herself pointed out, he hated him. But that didn’t matter – Spike wasn’t looking for someone to love. His heart belonged to one person and that person was gone, or had been until the previous day. Spike used Riley for what he needed – a strong fighter, someone to help protect Dawn and the others, a second in command whom he could count on to follow his orders to the letter without argument or question, and, truth be told, a whipping boy. Just as he’d used Harmony to strike out against all of womankind after Dru left him broken and alone in the world, he used Riley the same way since Buffy ‘left’. There was no romance or tenderness in their relationship; it certainly wasn’t about love – a lot of it was about pain. How much Spike could inflict and how much Riley could take, and, when Spike chose, vice versa.

Pain was the thing that reminded Spike that he was alive … or undead, at any rate. Physical pain took his mind off the guilt, off the emotional scars that surrounded his heart, off his inability to save Buffy. Even ten years later, those wounds burnt inside him as if the red-hot brand of failure had just been pressed against his unbeating heart. It seared him every day with the knowledge that, when she needed him most, he’d let her down. He’d killed two Slayers in his unlife, defeated untold vamps and demons over the last century, but one little Reptilian Demon bested him without breaking a proverbial sweat. Pathetic.

Spike had let himself get caught up in the joy of Buffy for a few wondrous hours the previous day, but Riley had been right about one thing – she couldn’t stay. And for that truth, Riley paid dearly last night.  Spike took the frustration, anger, and guilt that had built up over the years and aimed it directly at his whipping boy.  Somehow it became Riley’s fault that she had come back to tear the painful scabs off his wounded heart, and it was his fault that she couldn’t stay to help heal them again.

Spike realized quickly he had to close down emotionally, keep the Slayer at arm’s length. He needed to treat her with the cool detachment he used with the other fighters under his command. He couldn’t let his heart fall into that trap again. He honestly wasn’t sure how many times it could be ripped apart, torn from his chest, and he’d still survive. He needed to protect himself, shield his heart; he still had a mission to do: keep Dawn safe. He’d given his word to a lady.

He would never toss Buffy out on her own into a world in which she had no capacity to survive, but he vowed that he would get her back to her home – soon. He wasn’t sure how long he could keep his heart in the deep freeze and the fluttering in his chest from returning. But, he knew, if he let it warm to her again, it would only bleed a deeper shade of misery when she inevitably left and went back to her fairy tale life – a life that Spike could only touch in his dreams now and for the rest of eternity.

Now, as Spike lay in the bed next to Riley, he closed his eyes and tried to fall back into that dream he’d been in before. He longed to feel the water washing over him, to feel Buffy’s flesh hot against his; he tried to hear that scream of rapture even as he tugged her hair violently and rode her to oblivion. Spike’s hips jerked and he pumped his cock faster and harder, squeezing painfully around his girth just as Buffy had done. Spike’s growl rumbled through his body as his cum shot up, covering his flat, hard stomach and chest in powerful bursts of desire.

“Buffy…love you so bloody much,” he moaned to his dream lover as he found his release, his eyes still clamped shut as a vision of her as a beautiful mermaid swam through his mind.

**~**

Buffy opened her eyes and her gaze was drawn immediately towards the quilt that hung over their door. Her eyes met Spike’s across the short distance, as if her gaze had been pulled by a magnet directly to his. He was leaning against the wall just inside the quilted entryway, watching her as she slept. She’d actually been only half-asleep, still caught up in the pleasure of the erotic dream she’d had. She’d been trying to lure her mind back there, but wasn’t having any luck. Buffy suddenly realized that her hand was in a very NC-17 place under the soft fabric of her panties and she jerked her hand away from her wet mound, still keeping her eyes locked on Spike’s. Even with the sheet covering her, she knew it was quite evident what she’d been doing in her sleep.

She expected a smirk, or for him to run his tongue across his teeth, a lewd remark perhaps or a cocked brow at the very least. He did none of those things. His expression was unreadable – and she knew all of Spike’s expressions, but this was something she wasn’t sure she’d seen before. Guarded, veiled – whatever he was thinking wasn’t reflected in his eyes or his body language. Then it dawned on her … cold. His expression was cold indifference.

“Spike…” Buffy started softly, sitting up. She needed to find out what had changed since the previous day.



Spike pushed off the wall at his back and turned to leave. “Patrol leaves in an hour. If you want t’ play ‘Slayer’ and go, ya better get a move on,” he offered flatly over his shoulder. Then he pushed the quilt back and stepped out into the harsh white light of the hallway and he was gone.

Buffy shivered. Not from the temperature in the room, which was actually warm, but from the deep freeze he was directing at her. What had made him change so drastically in such a short time? Yesterday at the house on Revello and then later on the trip to the vineyard he was anything but indifferent. He cried, he laughed, he teased, he quipped, he made fun of her; he was even angry for a time as he told her to trust no one – heck, at first he’d even tried to kill her – but there was no indifference.

Buffy looked at the clock. 11:01am it read. They’d slept past breakfast by a long shot. Buffy pulled on her jeans and shoes and woke Annie and they went out in search of the bathroom and canned green beans.

“Can I go with you?” Annie asked as they headed towards the cafeteria.

“You are with me,” Buffy pointed out.

“No, I mean later, on patrol,” Annie clarified.

“No. You’re too young; it’s too dangerous. You just stay here and wait for me.”

“But, Mom … I don’t like it here. I don’t want to stay here alone. I want to stay with you,” Annie pleaded.

“No. End of discussion,” Buffy stated flatly as they entered the large pantry that held the canned goods.

In the back of the pantry, pushed far to the back of the bottom shelf, Annie found a can of yams – waaay better than green beans. Now all they needed was a can opener. Out in the cafeteria Buffy literally ran into Riley as she came out of the storeroom.

“Oh! Sorry!” Buffy apologized before she'd even realized who she'd bumped into. Wow, had he always been that tall or had he actually grown as a vampire?

Riley only looked at her with disdain then turned to continue his original trek. Buffy thought it looked like he was limping slightly, but didn’t dwell on it.


“Ummm … could you tell me where the can openers are?” Buffy asked, ignoring his obvious displeasure with her, and holding up the cans: one of yams and and one of green beans.

Riley stopped, turned around sharply, and glared at her a moment. After apparently coming to some decision, he took one long stride back towards them, grabbing first one, then the other can from her hands, bringing up his demon and swiftly opening both cans for her.

He handed them back without a word, turning on his heel and moving away again. He was definitely limping, and she noticed he was holding one side of his ribcage, as if he had bruised or cracked ribs.



“Aren’t you handy? Kinda like a Swiss Army knife on legs,” Buffy muttered, rolling her eyes.

She sat the cans down on the closest table and went in search of a fork or spoon or something. By the time she got back, Annie had lost patience as was just picking up one of the soft yams from the can with her fingers and dangling it over her mouth. At the same time, Spike strode into the cafeteria in search of Riley, who had disappeared on him. He was supposed to be checking with the kitchen manger to see if there were any special requests for them to try and retrieve from the ship's hold. How that could take fifteen minutes, Spike didn’t know.

Just before Annie dropped the yam into her mouth, Spike reached the table where she and Buffy were sitting. In that instant, an unusual smell met his nostrils. He looked at the girl and the can she was eating from, and lashed out immediately, knocking the can and the vegetable in her hand to the floor.

“Hey!” Buffy yelled as Annie backed up in fear and surprise. The girl fell over backwards as she tried to slide her chair away faster than its feet would go on the tile floor.

“What the hell, Spike?” Buffy demanded as she moved over to help her daughter up and make sure she was alright.

“It’s spoiled, Slayer! Botulism,” Spike explained. “Can’t you see the bloody bottom bulged out? Ain’t you got one lick a sense between them pretty little ears?”



Buffy looked at the empty can that now lay on the floor with wide eyes. The bottom was bulged out; it never even occurred to her. She’d heard of that before, but had never seen it, not once in her whole life.

“Oh, God …” Buffy muttered looking at Annie. “Did you eat any of it?”

Annie shook her head ‘no’ as she looked from the mess on the floor to Spike and then to her mother. “What is it?”

“Poison’s what it is. A bloody bacteria that’d ruin your day, no doubt – someone like you, platelet size, might kill ya’,” Spike explained tersely.

Annie made an ‘eeek’ face and assured her mom, “I didn’t eat any.”

“Riley…” Buffy growled as she looked around in the direction he went.

“He didn’t put it in there, Slayer – just old, spoilt rations,” Spike pointed out.

“No, but he opened the can for me. He would’ve known it was in there, just like you did,” Buffy asserted as she started towards the door he went through.

Spike caught her before she was halfway there. “Not your place, Slayer,” he informed her flatly.

“What?! Are you kidding me? It’s my daughter he almost killed! I think that makes it my place to kick his glowy, red ass!” Buffy argued.

Spike shook his head sternly. “You may be used t’ being in charge where you come from, but you ain’t here – I am. Go sit the hell down and eat. We leave in thirty minutes, get your gear and be ready. Don’t have any flak jackets that’ll fit the girl, she’ll just have to wear the smallest one we got.”

“What? Annie’s not coming on a patrol down to the docks and into a fight with who-knows-what!” Buffy contended.

Spike raised his brows. “Where do you suppose she’s gonna stay, then?”

“Here – in our room …”

“Ya know, you aren’t the brightest bloody bulb in the box, are ya, Slayer? Do the words ‘trust no one’ have any meanin’ to you at all? There’re near-abouts thirty people down here, I reckon. I don’t pretend t’ know most of ‘em, don’t care to. Do you figure they all survived and made it to us due to their sparklin’ personalities and kind hearts?” Spike queried harshly. “You gonna leave your little girl here alone with ‘em? You might not’ve noticed, but there ain’t a lock on your door, Slayer.”

“Oh, I noticed, Spike,” Buffy spat back at him. “You think she’d be safer facing red-eyed demons and giant bats than staying here?” Buffy questioned angrily.



“She’ll be with five of the strongest fighters there are … plus you,” he told her, adding the last words as if they were an afterthought. “Here, she’ll be alone. You do the bloody math,” Spike asserted, turning on his heel and heading away, following Riley’s scent towards the door to the kitchen.

Buffy huffed and crossed her arms over her chest, stomping one foot down for good measure as he stormed away from her. “Fucking know-it-all vampire…” she grumbled. “‘You do the bloody math’,” she sneered, mocking him, as she started back towards Annie. Well, at least the indifference was gone … now he was just being plain ole snarky and rude.

“Here,” Buffy began, pushing the can of green beans towards her daughter, “…eat this. I guess you get to go on patrol.”

Annie ducked her head, letting her hair fall over her face, as a satisfied smile spread over her lips.

**~**

Buffy and Annie stood in the door of the cafeteria as Buffy tried to figure out just where she was supposed to go to ‘gear up’. Thankfully, the one normal person in the whole place came out of a room just down the hallway and started walking towards them.

“Oz!” Buffy called with relief. “Where am I supposed to ‘gear up’?”

“The armory,” he answered as he kept walking.

Buffy and Annie fell into step behind him.

“Right. The armory,” Buffy confirmed. “Ummmm … where’s the armory?”


“Downstairs.”

“Right … I don’t suppose that’s where you’re going, is it?” Buffy asked hopefully.

Oz stopped and seemed to be pondering that question a moment. “If I say ‘yes’ … then would that mean that is where I’m heading or not? Those positive negatives always get me.”



“Can you take us to the armory?” Buffy asked simply.

Oz gave her a curt nod. “That I can answer with confidence. Yes.”

**~**

The armory was a large, fenced-in space in the huge ‘fish-bowl’, common area of the old Initiative complex. Tara and Xander were already there and ‘geared up’. Tara found a small flak jacket for Annie to wear and tightened it on her as well as she could, then she took Buffy inside to let her pick out weapons. Weapons! Shoot! She had to go back to her room and get the scythe! Buffy got ‘geared up,’ then headed back to their room to retrieve her weapon. She also had a stun gun and a stake on her belt, along with a flak jacket of her own.

She left Annie there, admonishing her, “Don’t talk to strangers … don’t talk to people you know, either – just don’t talk to anyone. Stay here until I get back. Don’t move.”

Oz came up next to the girl as Buffy sprinted away. “So, what’s your name?”

“I’m not supposed to talk to anyone,” Annie replied sheepishly.

“Then why are you talking to me?” Oz questioned.

Annie frowned. “So I could tell you why I wasn’t talking to you.”

Oz nodded. “Makes sense.”

“Right then,” Spike started as he walked up to the assembled group and raked his eyes over them swiftly. He stopped when he got to Annie. “Why doesn’t the girl have a gun or a stake … somethin'?”



“Buffy said ‘no’,” Tara offered.

“Buffy?! Is Buffy in bloody charge 'ere? Get the girl a soddin’ stun gun and a stake!” Spike ordered.

Annie fidgeted with the flak jacket, shifting nervously from foot to foot – she knew her mom was not gonna be happy with this. Spike bent down so he could look into her eyes. “You ever stake a vamp, Platelet?”

Annie shook her head ‘no’.

“Right then, time you learned, innit?” Spike questioned as he stood up and waved Riley over.

Annie shrugged but didn’t say anything.

“See this here? Red eyes?” Spike asked and Annie looked up at Riley, then back to Spike and nodded. Tara handed Spike the stake she’d gotten for Annie. “You right-handed?” he asked the girl.

Annie worried her bottom lip with her teeth anxiously and nodded in reply.

“That’s brilliant then. You see one ‘a these Reds and the stake goes in the left eye – just straight across with your right hand, see, like this.” Spike pushed Riley down onto his knees in front of Annie, put the stake in her right hand, and guided it up in front of Riley’s left eye. “Jab in hard, as hard as you can, yeah? Aim right for the center of the red… Got it?”

Annie nodded as her eyes darted from Riley to Spike to the stake he had put in her hand.

“Now this … this’ll put ‘em down for ya’ – easier to stake when they’re down, yeah?” Spike continued, taking the stun gun from Tara. Spike removed the stake from Annie’s hand and replaced it with the stun gun. “Go for the chest or the balls ... either one‘ll knock ‘em down,” Spike explained, covering her hand with his as Annie held the stun gun.

A blush rose up her cheeks as Annie’s eyes dropped to Riley’s crotch, then darted back up to stare at his chest.

“Pull the trigger, get a feel for it,” he advised.

Annie did as he said, pulling the trigger with her forefinger. The power of it crackled loudly and blue bolts of electricity jumped back and forth on the end of the gun.


“Good – now, ya do that and just…” Spike shoved her hand forward into Riley’s chest. The vamp shuddered and convulsed then fell backwards onto the hard concrete. “See?” Spike offered with a smile, “Humpty Dumpty falls down.”



“What the hell is going on?” Buffy demanded as she walked up and saw the last of the lesson.

Spike stood up and addressed Tara. “Get her properly geared up,” he told the white witch, cocking his head at Annie and ignoring Buffy.

“What are you doing?” Buffy demanded again.

“You’re late, Slayer,” Spike addressed her, ignoring her objections and questions. “Noon means bloody noon. The big hand and the little hand are both pointing up to the big twelve at the top.”

“Get that shit off my daughter,” Buffy growled at him.

“No. She’s goin’ on patrol; she needs to be able to protect herself,” Spike retorted angrily.

“You said there were five strong fighters going that could protect her,” Buffy reminded him. “And me,” she added sarcastically.

“Yeah, and what if there are six nasties? It’s time you both grew up. This is war. There’s no bloody age limit. There’s no mark on the wall at the start of the line that stays you must be this tall to ride,” Spike quipped tersely, holding his hand out about an inch taller than Annie. “If you don’t want ‘er to go, then you can bloody well stay here with ‘er and knit booties,” Spike informed her. “Some of us have a job t’ do.”



“When did you get to be such an ass, Spike?” Buffy questioned, barely able to keep her anger in check.

“When I got put in charge o’ keeping these people alive,” Spike shot back before turning on his heel and striding towards the sewer entrance, his duster billowing out behind him as he went.

“Get 'im up and let’s go,” he ordered no one in particular as he strode away.

Xander and Oz helped Riley back to his feet and they all started following Spike. Buffy looked at Annie, now wearing a flak jacket with a stake and a stun gun strapped to a belt at her waist. She narrowed her eyes angrily, glaring daggers at Spike’s back as he continued walking, the others right behind him.

Buffy rolled her eyes to the ceiling and blew out a loud breath. Her brain told her to take the gear off and just take Annie and go back to their room and wait. Her instinct, her inner-Slayer, urged her to go with the group. This was her Calling. This is what she did. She could help them. Maybe she could make a difference. Maybe her being with them could keep someone from dying today.

Buffy suddenly knew what an addiction felt like. She’d never smoked or took drugs or drank to extreme; she’d never been hooked on anything but chocolate … and, ok, maybe Spike. But at this moment her ‘addiction’ to being a Slayer was overpowering her good sense. She fought the overwhelming feeling of need that demanded she go with the fighters. It was irrational; it was crazy to take Annie on a patrol in a world full of demons, she admonished herself. She didn’t even take Annie on patrol at home.

“It’s ok, Mom … I can do it,” Annie assured her, effectively driving a stake into the heart of Buffy’s internal debate and reducing it to dust.

Buffy sighed heavily as her compulsion to help rejoiced in victory.

“Don’t do anything unless you have no choice – defend yourself, don’t … don’t pick a fight,” Buffy advised sternly. “Stay next to me or Spike – no one else.”

Annie nodded her agreement, her face suitably serious, and she and Buffy ran to catch up with the others.

**~**

Because ‘mojoing’ a big sea monster away would leave Tara too weak to fight afterwards, the group’s first stop was the Mexican Reefer and the Jacks that Oz reported were trying to summon something. Buffy finally figured out the name of the ship – it was a refrigerated cargo ship, a ‘reefer’, out of … where else? Mexico. After making it through the sewers to the docks and running into nothing more than a few of those big rat demons, Buffy was feeling a little more confident in her choice to come and bring Annie. That changed as they got closer to the ship, however.



With Spike and Riley in the lead, the group skulked around in the darkest shadows along the sides of old canneries, warehouses, and defunct import/export businesses, working their way to the wharf where the Mexican Reefer was moored. With annoying frequency, either one or the other of the leaders would hold up a fist as they went, and everyone, except Buffy and Annie, would immediately freeze in their tracks, even if that meant one foot was up in the air. It was like a game of ‘Stop! and Go!’ that Buffy used to play in elementary school, only no one told her beforehand the rules of the game. After a couple of scornful glares from Spike when she and Annie didn’t stop immediately on his hand signal, the two newcomers figured it out. Buffy hoped she got a chance to get near Spike during this outing … she so wanted to punch him in nose. She hadn’t had such an overwhelming desire to do that in a really long time.

Spike and Riley took out several of the vampire sentries that were patrolling near the target ship – Buffy was actually impressed. They took them out silently and quickly, Spike by slicing their heads off with the blessed sword, and Riley by simply slipping up behind them and twisting and ripping their heads off with his bare hands. Despite being subordinate to Spike, Riley, she figured out quickly, was not only larger, but actually much stronger, apparently from being half Jack O’ Lantern vamp. Buffy also noticed that Riley had a cut lip and a large bruise on his right cheek that he hadn’t had earlier when he’d opened the cans for her. Apparently they were wounds inflicted as punishment by Spike, despite the fact that he could rip Spike’s head off with little effort.

As they got closer to the ship, there was a wide expanse of open ground they had to cover to get to the gangplank. Riley and Xander shifted to the back of the group as everyone started to move across the unprotected ground. The two men in back drew expanding batons from their boots and held them at the ready. The weapons reminded Buffy of the batons that the guards in the dungeon used, but these were tipped with sharp wooden stakes on one end. Buffy and Annie followed the others, ducking down as low as they could as they ran in the perpetual twilight across the wide wharf towards the ship.

Suddenly, she heard the unmistakable flapping of a giant bat’s wings and she turned just in time to see Xander embed his wood-tipped baton in the large beast’s heart. Except for a short squeal of surprised pain from the bat and the ‘whoosh’ as it turned into dust, there was no sound. No one made any remarks: no quips, no congratulations, no exclamations of surprise or jubilation. Everyone, including Xander, simply kept moving as if that was the most natural thing in the world – something that happened every day. Buffy supposed it probably was.

The group finally made it to the gangway. Moving silently, they filed up to the deck of the large ship. Once on the deck, Oz took point, being more familiar with the layout than the others. The whole team worked seamlessly as a unit without saying a single word. Hand signals helped, but mostly it was just intuition from years of fighting together that had honed them into one cohesive, efficient, and deadly unit.

Oz moved slowly down the deck towards the entryway that led to the hold at the back of the ship. He’d been on all the ships docked here hundreds of times over the years. He knew their layout, where the best hiding places were, and what cargo was on each one. He’d shown up in Sunnydale about a month after the demons took over. News of the infestation of ‘gangs on PCP’ in the area had spread first through California, then the nation, the world, and finally to the remote village where he was living with the monks in Tibet as he continued to work on harnessing and controlling his inner wolf.

He’d tried to call Willow, then Buffy, and the Magic Box, but got nothing but ‘out of service’ messages. By the time he’d gotten here, the ‘gang infestation’ had spread at least to L.A. to the north and Palo Verde to the east … he didn’t know how far it had gone to the south. The government was mobilizing the National Guard and evacuating people from the path of the ‘crazed drug-addicts’; whether they had succeeded in containing the demons, no one here knew. Some people had attempted the perilous journey to escape, but, as Spike told Buffy, no one ever came back, so they didn’t know if they had made it or had simply been killed. All communications to the outside world had been cut off long ago, no phone lines or cable lines … they couldn’t even get in any radio or TV signals.


Oz had lucked out when he’d arrived, going straight to the Magic Box. He found Xander and Spike there gathering all the weapons and magical supplies to bring back to their new base camp under the university campus. He’d never really cared for living in the old Initiative, however. Memories of the torture he’d faced there when they’d captured him as a werewolf tended to haunt him, so he made his own way. Then, as now, he stayed mostly around the docks where food was plentiful and there were lots of secure places to hide inside the large ships. He’d check in from time to time with the group and let them know if he saw things that needed their attention.  Oz did have one of the shortwave radios the group used, and Spike could reach him if there was some kind of mission the wolf could help with.



During the years he spent as a solitary man, Oz had mastered the ability to control his inner demon. He could now call on the wolf pretty much at will, regardless of the moon, and was able to keep his human side in control of the monster. That had gotten him out of many a tight scrape with the Reds and the other lesser demons that had once been here.

When the Turok-Han started pouring out of the Hellmouth, he, as the wolf, and Spike, with Buffy’s blessed sword, were the only two that could actually defeat any of the uber-vamps with any real regularity. Luckily, the Reds saw the Turok-Han as a threat to their domain and the two vampire species set to killing each other off, saving the Scoobies the trouble. Unfortunately, neither side completely succeeded in their mission to wipe the other out. But, the numbers were thinned considerably, as were the populations of the lesser demons who got caught in the crossfire.

Buffy watched as Oz led them along the deck, hugging the bulkhead of the hold as he went. At a break in the bulkhead, he paused a moment, then signaled for Spike to come forward. With nothing more than brief hand signals, Spike nodded his understanding and stood at the ready with his sword drawn back. Within just a few seconds, one of the tall, wiry vampires stepped out from the break in the wall, which Buffy assumed was a passageway leading deeper into the ship, and Spike decapitated it with one swift and silent blow. The head and body collapsed, bursting into red glittery dust before either part hit the ground.

Satisfied, Oz moved on, past that passageway and all the way to the back of the ship, and the others followed. Near the aft, starboard hold, Oz again signaled with his hands in sort of a circular motion that Buffy took to mean they should split up and circle the room they were about to enter. She kept Annie in front of her, Xander was still behind her, and Riley was behind him. In front of Annie was Tara, then Spike, with Oz, of course, in the lead.

Oz opened the door slowly, trying to minimize the creaking from the rusty hinges, and each warrior stepped into the breach. Spike went to right, Tara to the left, Buffy guided Annie right, following Spike, Xander left, Riley right, and finally Oz stepped in last and went to the left. The group kept low, ducking behind crates that had once held some kind of refrigerated cargo – it smelled like rotten oranges … dried, rotten oranges. Buffy figured it could be worse. Buffy stole a peek over one of the crates and saw that the cargo hold was quite deep. Someone – the vampires, she assumed, had arranged all the crates in a large circle, piling one atop the other to form an amphitheater of sorts. It reminded her of the large lecture halls at the college. It would require leaping about four feet down at a time, but one could actually descend down the crates like tall stairs to the floor at the bottom. Of course, for the tall, long-limbed vampires, those steps were probably just about right.  


Buffy ducked back down and kept moving, following Spike with Annie in front of her until Spike held up a closed fist – stop. Buffy froze; so did Annie. Buffy held up her closed fist and Riley stopped as well. She watched as Spike found a place where he could stay low but look between two crates to see the floor below, and Buffy did the same. Down in the very bottom of the hold, where the teacher would be if it were a lecture hall, was a group of the glowy-eyed vampires. Some were sitting at a table; others were standing nearby.  One seemed to be holding the attention of all the others as she worked on some papers in front of her. She went from a book, to a scroll, then wrote something down on yet another piece of paper while the others watched with curiosity.



Annie sidled in next to Buffy so she could see too, and the group of warriors watched the proceedings, each trying to figure out just exactly what the vamps were doing. They didn’t seem to be casting spells or conjuring anything like Oz had assumed … although they could be researching a spell which they would use later. It reminded Buffy of the old days in the library. Willow and Giles would be researching and the rest of them would be watching, or pretending like they were researching, while they waited for Willow and Giles to find the answer; at least, that’s what Buffy did.

“Oh my God,” Annie whispered as her eyes went wide with a sudden epiphany.

Buffy wrapped a hand over her daughter’s mouth and held her breath, but it was too late … the vamps had heard her. Their scarlet eyes looked up from the bookish vamp and locked directly on Buffy and Annie. Buffy didn’t move, she didn’t let Annie move; neither of them breathed. It didn’t matter, they’d definitely heard her – several of them were starting this way.

Continued .... too long to fit in one chapter
End Notes:
Continued in next chapter ...
King of Anything, Part 2 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Continued from previous chapter ...
“Bloody hell…” she heard Spike moan as he stood up and climbed up on the crate he’d been behind, drawing their attention. “Right then, who wants t’ die today?” he taunted them as he leapt down to the next crate with a grace and agility that gave Buffy pause.



She shook herself out of her Spike-trance and climbed up as he had done, as all the warriors were now doing. “Quiet. Stay down. Do not move,” she admonished Annie sternly and the girl nodded guiltily as she plastered one hand over her mouth.


The tall vamps raced up the crates like they were nothing. One of them threw her head back and let out a shrill battle cry, which Buffy assumed was meant to draw more of the creatures from elsewhere in the ship. She cringed – she didn’t want to leave Annie alone there, but she’d rather fight the demons further away from her daughter, less chance of Annie being discovered or hurt.

With one last glance back at her daughter, Buffy leapt down one, then two, then three crates, drawing her scythe back as she went. The first vamp that reached her was met with a deadly accurate swing of her weapon, which severed its head cleanly from its shoulders. Even before the red sparkling dust could settle there was another one there. She could see from her peripheral vision that Spike and Riley were also engaged with two or three of the tall, extraordinarily strong vamps. Where had they all come from so quickly? Then Buffy realized they were emerging from the crates themselves. Her heart sank. There had to be … hundreds of crates in here. Did they all have a vamp sleeping inside?

Buffy kicked one vamp that was standing on the crate below her in the jaw. She finally had the height advantage if she could keep them at least one step below her. Even as that one stumbled backwards and tumbled down the tall, make-shift stairs, another one lunged at her. Buffy swung, but missed its neck, severing one arm and embedding the scythe into its ribcage. She tugged hard to free her weapon, but the vamp grabbed the handle of the scythe with its other hand to keep her from pulling it back. She was afraid that she’d lost it – and without that she knew she stood little chance against these Otherworldly demons. Poking sharp sticks through the heart of a vamp was one thing, but to try and get it into their eye seemed ridiculously impossible.

Buffy’s mind raced and she suddenly remembered the stun gun on her hip. She held onto the handle of the scythe with one hand, refusing to let go, and un-holstered the gun. She let the vamp pull her towards it, bringing the weapon up at the last moment and jamming the gun, with electricity jumping wildly on the end, into the Red’s chest.

The vamp shuddered and dropped to its knees in pain. Buffy yanked the scythe out of its torso and swung at its neck. It disintegrated with a hollow sighing sound and sparkling dust settled atop the crate it had been on. The glittery dust from that vamp had scarcely settled before three more were there. They were a little more wary now, but they were coming all the same. She holstered the gun again and held the scythe with both hands, her timing needed to be perfect. She waited. They each put one foot on the crate just below her and then they all three leapt as one, springing off their lower legs and sailing towards her. She swung hard in a wide arc, catching two of them cleanly in the neck and decapitating them. The third was hit in the shoulder, but fell onto the crate that she was standing on and Buffy drew back and came down on its neck with a savage blow.

Spike had worked his way over to her as he fought. He could see she was tiring, as were the other warriors. There were too many Reds for them to defeat. “Let’s go! Get out!” he screamed at her and the rest of them. He retreated back up to the top walkway that ran around the perimeter of the hold, grabbed Annie’s arm, and began dragging her out of the mêlée.


“No!” Annie yelled at him. “The book!” she exclaimed, pointing to the now abandoned table far below. “It’s the key to the Gem of Amarra! The scroll must be the decoder ring!” she told him hurriedly.

Spike’s brow furrowed and he looked down at the table. “The Gem of …” he muttered to himself before looking back at Annie. “Are you sure?”



“Yes! We have the same book at home, but not the scroll!” Annie assured him even as he swung his sword at the neck of an approaching vamp and dusted it.

“Finn!” Spike yelled at Riley, who was about ten feet away and engaged with several of the vamps. “Get everyone out!”


Riley didn’t acknowledge him, but Spike knew that he heard and would follow his order. Putting Annie back in her hiding place, he jumped up on the crates then back down to where the Slayer was still battling. “Get the girl and get out. Go back to base!” he ordered her as he took over fighting the vamps she’d been warring against.

“What about you?” Buffy questioned as she continued to swing the scythe at the necks of the approaching Reds.

“Can you ever do one blasted thing I say without questioning my bloody orders?” he huffed as he dusted another vamp.

“Maybe if you let someone in on your idiotic plans they wouldn’t blow up in your face so much!” Buffy shot back as the pair continued fighting the seemingly never-ending horde.

“My plans wouldn’t blow up if you would just do as I bloody well say!” he insisted. “Never had a problem with my plans ‘til you came back and mucked them up!”

“Oh, excuse me, Mr. Hitler! I didn’t mean to question your supreme authority!”

“Herr,” Spike corrected her.

“Hair?  There’s something in my hair?” she questioned, using one hand to run through her hair, even as the other fighters retreated from the large room and back out onto the deck.

Spike rolled his eyes, both warriors still swinging at the approaching vamps, injuring them, dusting them, or knocking them back down the stairs as they came within range. “Hitler wasn’t a bloody mister, Slayer – Herr Hitler! Did you attend high school at any point in your life? I know you were there for the parent-teacher night, but I mean actual lectures.”

“Very funny, Spike. I never took German … I took Spanish! Maybe I should call you Señor Franco instead.”

“Generalíssimo Franco,” Spike countered with a smirk.

“Yeah, well, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still valiantly holding on in his fight to remain dead!” Buffy quipped. “You on the other hand, are perilously close to getting on my last nerve and becoming un-undead.”

Spike gawped at her a moment, surprised she’d gotten his classic Saturday Night Live reference … from back when SNL was actually classic. He recovered quickly, though, turning back to the fight with the charging demons.


“And here we are back where we started this dance, where you threaten to dust me but never can quite get ‘round to it,” Spike shot back as he swung his blade and decapitated two of the approaching demons with one blow. “Better time management, pet, that’s what you need.”

“Who the hell died and made you the fucking king of the world?” Buffy retorted through clenched teeth as she continued swinging her weapon at the red-eyed vamps.



“You,” Spike informed her as he took a swipe at another vamp’s neck.

Suddenly more vamps attacked at once than the two could defend against. Two of the demons got past the swinging weapons of the warriors and knocked Buffy to the ground. One of the powerful demons tried to dig its long, talon-like nails into her chest in an effort to exhume her still-beating heart. Luckily for her, the beast’s nails couldn’t pierce the flak jacket. Buffy struck it in the jaw with her fist and its head jerked slightly to the left, then its bright red lips curled into a cruel smile.

“Sssslayer…” it hissed as it dropped its mouth down towrds her neck.

Buffy struggled under it as she raised the scythe and prepared to swing down on the vamp, hoping that she could stop the powerful weapon before it cut into her own flesh. Before Buffy could swing, though, the vamp froze, its face contorted in pain, then burst into bright red glittery particles of dust which settled down and stuck to her damp skin.

“Wow, you could bottle this stuff and sell it as booty dust,” she quipped as she jumped back to her feet just as Spike drew his sword away and turned back to the still-approaching army of vamps.

“Get the bloody hell out, Slayer!” Spike insisted again. “I’ll be right behind ya.”

“No! You’ll be right with me – c’mon, Spike! Let’s go!” Buffy retorted.

“Bloody fucking hell, woman! I’d forgotten what a bloody bossy bitch you are! Can you do one soddin’ thing I say? Get the girl and go!”

Just then Annie started screaming. Some vamps had finally realized that they could come around from the other direction and surround the two remaining warriors. “Annie!” Buffy cried as she left Spike’s side and leapt with more power than she knew she had left in her up from crate to crate until she reached the top where Annie was hiding.


There were three vamps surrounding the girl. Annie was holding them at bay with the stun gun, its electricity crackling a warning the vamps understood perfectly as she swung it back and forth in an arc at them. Buffy dove at the tall, red-eyed demons, but only managed to knock two of them away from Annie. The Slayer tumbled down onto the ground with the two large vamps, all three rolling to a stop against the wall of the hold a few feet away.



Before Buffy could find where she’d dropped the scythe or get to her feet, she was being hauled up by the nape of her neck like a kitten. The large male vampire held her up to his eye level and studied her like she was a bug, tilting his elongated head this way, then that.

“Put me down you overgrown beanstalk!” Buffy demanded as she kicked hard at the demon’s nether regions with her booted foot.

The vamp grunted slightly, but didn’t drop her. “Sssslayer…” he hissed at her and Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Do you all have lisps? Do they not have speech therapists where you come from?” she wondered as she pulled the stake from the scabbard at her side and stabbed the vamp in the eye … the wrong eye.

The creature screeched in pain and clutched at the stake with his free hand, but his grip never loosened on Buffy’s neck.

“Damn it…” Buffy muttered as she pulled the stake out and jabbed it in the other eye.

Finally she was dropped, covered again by a dusting of red glitter. But of course, it wasn’t over. The other vamp that she’d knocked down, a tall female dressed in a ridiculously small, ‘UC Sunnydale’ cheerleader uniform, was ready and waiting. The barely-dressed cheerleader hit the Slayer with an iron fist, sending Buffy flying into the air and hurtling backwards. She landed on the hard floor ten feet away with a bone-crunching thud. Buffy shook her head to clear the ringing in her ears and the stars that flashed in front of her eyes. Even through the pain that was shooting through her, she could hear Annie screaming again.

Buffy stumbled back to her feet, her eyes scanning the ground for the scythe, as she retrieved the stun gun from its holster at her side. The cheerleader-vamp that had thrown her took two long strides towards Buffy, her arm cocked back, ready to strike again. Buffy summoned her determination and jabbed the gun against the vamp’s bare midriff, ducking the vamp’s fist, and pulled the trigger. The large female crumpled down as her body convulsed with the voltage. Buffy sprinted past the downed demon back towards Annie, who was now shrieking uncontrollably.

The male vamp in front of the girl slapped the stun gun from her hand, sending it skittering across the floor and out of reach. The demon, who apparently fancied itself a flower-child, wearing a tie-dyed t-shirt over too-short blue jeans, picked the screaming and struggling girl up with one hand. The Woodstock-reject began to laugh gleefully just as Buffy reached them and tackled him around the hips, sending all three of them tumbling onto the ground and crashing against the wooden crates. The hippie struck out at Buffy, whipping her head to the side with a savage blow as she struggled to get Annie back behind her. Before she could recover from that strike, the lovechild hit her again, just as she got Annie pushed out of the way.

Buffy’s head was spinning and for a moment she wondered if it was still attached to her body or if it was actually rolling across the floor like a bowling ball. The hippie-vamp knocked the stunned Slayer onto her back and straddled her with its body. Buffy flailed wildly and tried to kick it off, but it was too strong and she was too disoriented and weary. She hit up at it with her fists, but her blows were ineffectual against the larger, stronger, and fresher adversary; she was nothing more than an annoyance to it.

The vamp could smell victory. He threw his head back and let out a shrill (and apparently trademarked) war cry announcing his triumph over the Slayer. When the flower-child looked back down, preparing to drink from the one and only Slayer he had ever met, he suddenly gasped in shock. His ghoulish features glittered in the air, hanging there momentarily before giving way to gravity. Buffy choked on the dust she inhaled as she tried to sit up and waved a hand in front of her face to disburse the crimson motes so she could breathe. She expected to see Spike standing above her smirking, but what she saw instead was Annie. And she wasn’t smirking. She was terrified.

Her daughter clutched the stake tightly in her right hand, just as Spike had shown her, and had jabbed with all her strength into the vamp’s left eye when he'd dropped his gaze back down from the ceiling. Annie now looked like she was about to pass out, throw up, or both, her eyes wide with fear, her chest heaving with shallow, labored breaths. Buffy shook the cobwebs out of her brain and scrambled to her feet. Pulling Annie with her, she retrieved the stun gun the vamp had knocked from her daughter’s hand, as well as her scythe, and then turned to look for Spike.

He was all the way on the other side of the ‘arena’. The book and scroll that had been on the table were tucked under one arm as he fought towards the exit on the other side of the ship with the other. More vamps were scampering up towards Buffy and Annie. There was no way she could get by them and make it over to help him.

“Let’s go,” Buffy commanded. She started dragging Annie by one hand as she held the scythe at the ready with the other.

“But Spike!” Annie objected, her eyes drawn to the platinum hair on the other side of the hold, which was easily visible even in the low light.

“He’ll be ok. He said to go, we need to go!” Buffy argued, pulling her along faster. Then they were out the door and on the deck. She couldn’t see any of the others – they must’ve followed orders and left the ship, gone back to base. She started down the deck towards the gangplank, moving as quickly as her throbbing head would allow as she dragged her daughter behind.



Just as they got to that passageway that bisected the deck, several of the tall Jacks stepped out, blocking their path. Buffy swung at one, dusting it, but the rest didn’t seem to even notice or care as they started towards the humans. Buffy began to back up, turning quickly to check for an escape route, when more of the Otherworld vamps came up from behind, trapping her and Annie between them. The demons’ eyes glowed bright scarlet in the low light; it was beyond creepy and, with so many of them so close, the whole area looked like it was bathed in a fine layer of blood.

Buffy quickly looked over the edge – it was a good twenty foot drop to the dark water below and who knew what was in the water? It might be their only option though.

“Damn it…” Buffy murmured as she backed Annie up against the open railing of the ship and let go of her daughter's hand so she could hold the scythe with both hands, ready to strike.

“Take your stun gun,” Buffy directed her and Annie pulled the gun from the waistband of Buffy’s jeans where she’d stuck it when she picked it up.

“Annie, if anything happens to me, you’re gonna have to jump, ok? Jump feet first, hold your nose, then swim to the beach and find somewhere to hide. Spike will find you … ok? Someone will find you… don’t come out until someone you know comes to get you,” Buffy instructed.

“No, Mama … I don’t…” Annie began, looking down at the black water. It looked a million miles away.

“Do not argue with me! Do as I say!” Buffy commanded as she swung the scythe at the first vamp to come within reach then, out of habit, stabbed the stake into the chest of one coming from the other side
.

The vamp shrieked in pain, but didn’t dust. When it yelled, all the vamps on the deck descended on her at once. Buffy went down in a heap as fists and feet hit and kicked at her mercilessly.

“JUMP!” she yelled at Annie as she tried to get back up, punching and jabbing with the scythe at the feet and legs of her attackers.

A steel-toed boot connected with Buffy’s chin, then another with her temple. Her head rocked on her shoulders and bright lights flashed in her field of vision. She couldn’t tell if Annie had jumped or if she was still there; she couldn’t see anything but feet kicking at her between bursts of stars exploding in front of her eyes from the pain.

She tried to stand, to get over the railing to jump herself, but the whole world seemed to be spinning and tilting. She could feel bones snapping in her ribs, her back, and her face as the vamps continued to punish her with a gleeful brutality.

“Annie …” she murmured, her voice barely audible, “…jump.”



Then one last boot crashed violently down on her forehead, cracking her skull, and the stars stopped exploding, everything stopped hurting, the world stopped spinning as a dark shroud began to descend over her. Buffy fought to stay conscious and rolled away from the vamps who were now gloating over their prize, all of them screaming that shrill war cry announcing their victory.

As she rolled towards the side of the ship, she hit something solid that was blocking her path. She pushed harder, but it didn’t move; she pushed even harder, unable to focus on what it even was. Finally, whatever was blocking her disappeared. She flattened her body as she dragged herself on her stomach, headfirst, under the bottom rung of the railing and slid her torso over the edge and against the side of the ship. One of the vamps grabbed her foot, trying to thwart her escape. Buffy kicked as hard as she could as she struggled to get away. She could feel herself starting to be pulled back up onto the deck and, at the last moment, her boot slid off her foot, freeing her. The Slayer tumbled head over heels towards the black water below.


Buffy’s only thought as she fell was to hold onto the scythe and she grasped it with both hands, holding it against her chest as she plummeted towards the abyss of dark water. She hit with a violent slap that drove the air from her lungs and then she felt herself sinking. She tried to swim, to get back to the surface, but her limbs suddenly felt leaden and refused to cooperate. She took an involuntary breath, sucking the salty water into her lungs, then began to choke under the water, pulling more of the liquid in.

The darkness she’d been fighting now engulfed her under the waves. Her mind drifted with the current, lingering on the thing she worried about most – Annie … Had she jumped? Did she make it to the beach? Please let her be alright. Please let Spike find her… please…

**~**
{{  Click here to hear King of Anything - Sara Bareilles on YouTube  }}


Oh (oh oh oh)
Oh (oh oh oh)
Oh (oh oh oh)
Oh (oh oh oh)

Keep drinkin' coffee
Stare me down across the table
While I look outside

So many things I'd say if only I were able
But I just keep quiet
And count the cars that pass by

You've got opinions, man
We're all entitled to 'em
But I never asked

So let me thank you for time
And try to not waste any more of mine
Get out of here fast

I hate to break it you babe
But I'm not drowning
There's no one here to save

Who cares if you disagree
You are not me
Who made you king of anything
So you dare tell me who to be
Who died
And made you ing of anything

Oh (oh oh oh)
Oh (oh oh oh)
Oh (oh oh oh)
Oh (oh oh oh)

You sound so innocent
All full of good intent
You swear you know best

But you expect me to
Jump up on board with you
And ride off into your delusional sunset

I'm not the one who's lost
With no direction, oh
But you'll never see

You're so busy makin' maps
With my name on them in all caps
You've got the talkin' down, just not the listening

And who cares if you disagree
You are not me
Who made you king of anything
So you dare tell me who to be
Who died
And made you king of anything

All my life
I've tried
To make everybody happy while I
Just hurt
And hide
Waitin' for someone to tell me it's my turn to decide

Oh (oh oh oh)
Oh (oh oh oh)
Oh (oh oh oh)
Oh (oh oh oh)

Who cares if you disagree
You are not me
Who made you king of anything
So you dare tell me who to be
Who died
And made you king of anything

Who cares if you disagree
You are not me
Who made you king of anything
So you dare tell me who to be
Who died
And made you king of anything

Let me hold your crown, babe
Oh oh
Ah
End Notes:
Uht-Oh! This isn't good at all!! I do believe they just went from the frying pan into the fire. BUT ... the key to the Gem of Amarra!! That's good news ... assuming they can get out of here with it alive and all in one piece.

I love hearing from everyone - don't be shy! What do you think of the Spike/Riley relationship? How long can Spike keep giving Buffy the cold shoulder ... assuming a big sea monster doesn't eat her in the water or she doesn't drown ... again.
You and Tequila (Make Me Crazy) by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
What will Buffy find waiting for her in the dark water? Did Annie make it off the ship and into the water as well, or was she captured or killed by the vamps? And what of Spike? Did he make it out with the scroll and the key to the Gem of Amarra?
**
Music Referenced: You and Tequila, Kenny Chesney & Grace Potter http://youtu.be/Q8XkLrErSHw
Some Screencaps courtesy of Broken Innocence (others from ScreenCap Paradise which is, sadly, no more). http://broken-innocence.net/index2.html and also from BuffyWorld.com
**
Thanks to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter. And giant thanks to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Final thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Early morning hours next day, Monday, April 18th, 2011, Gift-less Dimension:

As Buffy sank deeper under the dark, salty water her skin began to tingle with what felt like cool suckling kisses all over her skin. She opened her eyes and was suddenly in the bright clear water from her dream. She looked around … was she, in fact, dreaming? Hallucinating? Or perhaps she’d died and now was in some kind of water heaven. She wasn’t sure. Her two Spikes were there, caressing her, kissing her, sucking hungrily at her skin as she floated in the warm water. Red welts raised everywhere their mouths touched her skin, but it didn’t matter – they were here. Buffy reached out and touched them. She traced her fingers lightly over their soft skin and hard muscles as they swam around her. Despite the stinging, bruising kisses they were leaving on her flesh, she felt safe with them. Surely they wouldn’t let anything happen to her.

**~**

Spike dragged Buffy, who was still clinging tightly to the scythe, out of the water. He hauled her up the curving staircase, which was carved out of the wall of the cave, to the landing above. He’d used this cave, whose entrance was often completely submerged by the ocean tides, more than once to escape the Jacks. They had a deathly fear of the water – he didn’t know why, it wasn’t like they could drown. Or maybe it wasn’t the water so much as the demonic leeches and giant sea monsters that lived in it that they feared. Whatever it was, they were loath to follow anyone into the water, which was good. On the other hand, the leeches and other nasties that lived in the water could be a problem.




Spike laid Buffy down on her side and pulled the scythe from her grip, setting it on the ground behind him. Water poured from her mouth and lungs in one long gush of liquid. “C’mon, you bloody stubborn bint … breathe!” Spike admonished her as he pressed a fist against her stomach and more water sprayed from her throat and nose. Finally, she began coughing violently, expelling the rest of the salty sea water from her lungs, and taking deep gulps of air.

Satisfied that she wasn’t as dead as she appeared, Spike began ripping the giant leeches from their skin. The parasites started off as small blood-suckers only about half an inch wide by an inch or so long, but they were veracious feeders. They could suck enough blood to easily bulge to the size of a large man’s hand in short order; enough on you and you could be sucked dry in a matter of minutes.

“Couldn’t just leave when I told ya, could you? Noooo!” Spike ranted as he worked. “Had to try and be the big fucking hero, didn’t ya? Got a newsflash for ya, Slayer – I been doing just fine without the likes o’ you, don’t need a soddin’ sitter!”

Spike pulled the ones he could see from Buffy’s arms, neck, and face, then quickly stripped his clothes. He frantically pulled the hungry creatures, whose skin was a bruise-purple color and slimy, as if covered in snot, off his own body. They made a sickly sucking noise when ripped off and left blackened, bloody welts behind. Each wound continued to bleed freely due to the decoagulant they injected with their razor-sharp, fang-like teeth.



“Jumping into the soddin’ water – that was a stroke of bloody brilliance!” he continued to rant as he kept yanking the blood-suckers off. “I pity the bloody Spike you’re married to. He must be bald now from pulling his soddin’ hair out. Piece o’ work, you are, Slayer.  I’m bloody well glad I didn’t get handed the fate o’ being married to the likes of a bossy, barmy bitch like you!”

He could feel some on his back, and struggled but couldn’t reach them with his hands. He used his sword to stab down and pry them off, then crushed them beneath his boot. They actually squealed a high-pitched cry when their fat bodies popped and exploded from the pressure. Red blood from their victims and oily, black entrails squirted from their engorged bellies, covering the floor and walls around them with a slick coating of demon guts that smelled rather like a mixture of rotten eggs, fecal material, blood, and viscera – kind of like a slaughterhouse … with rotten eggs served on the side.

When he was sure he had them all off himself, he began pulling Buffy’s clothes off and checking her for any that had slithered down under her shirt or the waistband of her jeans or up her legs. Spike tried to stay angry at her, telling himself he was glad she wasn’t his bloody Slayer. He worked hard to keep his mind focused on the task at hand, although it wasn’t easy with her lying naked in front of him, especially when he found one of the nasty creatures attached to her breast.

He couldn’t help but let his eyes wander over her body. Her golden skin, now covered in bloody, purple-black welts, glistened with the dampness of the sea. Her breasts, perfectly round, were firm yet supple under his fingers as he pried the blood-sucker off. Her nipples were a delicate shade of dusty-pink, her mound, a neatly trimmed snatch of dark curls. In life she looked very much like the mermaid that had mesmerized him and his twin the previous night. Her ass was just as round and firm as the one he’d ...

Spike cleared his throat and shook his head, trying to clear the memory of that dream as he turned her over to check her backside. Sure that he’d gotten all the leeches off her skin, he turned her again, laying her down on her back. Her blood was running in watery, red rivers down her skin and pooling on the hard, cold stone floor below her. Under the bruises from the beating she’d taken from the Reds, her face had grown pale … in fact her whole body now seemed to have a sickly grey pallor to it. She was losing too much blood. He had to stop the bleeding if she was going to stand any chance of surviving.

“And you talk about my bloody plans!” he huffed. “Bloody brilliant you are, Slayer. Why don’t we go for a soddin’ swim with the big, ugly, blood-sucking leeches?” he mocked. “Went nearly a full day without trying t’ die, you did … must be a soddin’ record!”

There was only one thing that could counteract the thinning properties of the leeches’ venom … only one thing he knew of, anyway. Buffy may stake him for it later, but now it was possibly her only chance. Spike took a deep breath as he summoned his courage and fought to keep his demon under control. Without the chip he had no bridle. There was nothing stopping the demon from hurting instead of helping; nothing but his own will – and his compass, which was now lying naked and bleeding on the ground before him.

He dropped his mouth deliberately to the worst of the wounds, one on her upper thigh near her femoral artery, and pressed his tongue against it firmly.

Bloody hell… His mind swirled and strained against the demon. Not counting the small bit she’d dripped onto his lips two nights ago, his demon hadn’t had even a drop of human blood, let alone Slayer blood, in many long years. It had been more years than Spike could even count at the moment as he sealed her wound with the healing balm of his saliva and moved to the next … and the next, and the next. His eyes flashed gold and he pushed the demon back again and again as he worked. Fighting his own inner monster seemed even more exhausting than fighting the Reds. His demon was persistent, insistent, and unrelenting.

When he got to the wound on her breast he tensed and steeled himself before dropping his lips against her hot skin. Her soft flesh gave and dipped with the pressure of his lips and tongue against her; it was almost more than he could stand. He tried to think of something else … anything else. The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Spike gasped and pulled back, shaking his head in an effort to keep his demon down. He breathed the stale air of the cave deep into his useless lungs, then let it back out with a slow hiss as he calmed his shaky nerves.

Only one more wound to tend to. ‘One more’ made it sound so simple – anyone can do practically anything one more time … right?

The final wound, on her neck, made Spike’s whole body quiver. His hands shook and he clenched his fists tightly as he dropped his mouth to it. Blood pulsed beneath his lips – hot, spicy, sweet Slayer blood. It was right there. Only a thin layer of golden skin separated that fountain of preternatural hemoglobin from his tongue … and the skin was already scared with his own mark. He could feel her pulse under his lips; it seemed to vibrate his whole being. He could feel the ridges of his scar under his tongue; it would be so easy to pierce it with his fangs – to add his own mark atop her husband’s. He could taste the thinned blood from the wound as it coated his mouth; it made him imagine the rapture of the rich, Slayer blood that flowed in the artery just beyond the wound.

His demon could feel, taste, and imagine all these things, as well.

The demon within him growled deeply. Spike could feel it pressing its way to the surface, breaking through the will of the man. Spike struggled against it, but was losing … badly. He could feel it coming as surely as you can feel a tornado coming as it churns unhindered across the prairie. He finally pushed back away from Buffy, landing on his ass on the hard floor. He scrambled like a startled crab, moving further away from the downed Slayer, as his demon continued to rage against the ponce that had thwarted its fun.



Spike’s chest heaved with unneeded breath as he tried to regain control of himself – of his demon. He closed his eyes to try and block at least one of the overwhelming sensory perceptions from the monster within. But even behind his closed lids he could see Buffy lying in front of him, her body just as beautiful as he’d imagined it would be.

Just one taste, the demon begged the man. But it wasn’t blood it hungered for now. Her sweet blood, even tainted with the leeches’ venom, still lingered on his lips and tongue. No, what the demon desired was the nectar of this woman that it had dreamt about for so long. He’d been assailed by the aroma of it that morning as he watched her sleeping. He’d fought the urge then to replace her hand with his tongue, to taste her juices. The girl sleeping in the bed next to her was perhaps the only thing that gave the man strength to deny the demon his desire.

There was no girl here now. There was just Buffy – unconscious. She wouldn’t even know if he just took a nip … one touch of his tongue to her pussy, one flick of it into her heat. Spike kept his eyes clamped shut and a vision of her spreading her legs and inviting him into her jumped to the forefront of his mind. He could see her smiling at him, beckoning him to her, welcoming his affections.

Just as she’d done on that last night before the battle with Glory, when she invited him into her home past the vamp barrier, in his vision she was trusting him,  treating him like a man, not a monster. His throbbing cock, powered by the Slayer blood he’d consumed, jerked and bobbed demanding release, urging him forward for just one taste. She’d never know …

Tears welled in his eyes – that was the rub, wasn’t it? She’d never know … because if she did know, she’d never invite him into her. She wasn’t his. She’d never be his. She’d never love him. He’d told her as much that last day and she didn’t deny it. This wasn’t his Buffy … whoever she was, she wasn’t his because his Slayer would never love him. She’d told him so on more than one occasion. ‘It wouldn't be you, Spike. It would never be you. You’re beneath me.’

Spike took several deep breaths and let them out slowly as he finally felt the demon recede back behind the veil of the man, and he opened his eyes once again.

In front of him Buffy shuddered and shivered, her teeth clattered together, and she curled into a ball on her side trying to find some warmth. The rocky floor at their feet was cold and it was drawing what little body heat she had left out of her. Spike’s erection faded in an instant as worry for her replaced his warped desires and self-pity. Spike jumped up and went looking for some dry blankets, towels, or rugs left by the previous occupants of the hideaway to cover her with.

The room at the very end of the hall still had a couch in it and he found some throw rugs in the other rooms. He carried her down to the room with the couch, laid her down on it, and covered her with the rugs. He thought about starting a small fire for warmth, but there was nowhere for the smoke to go in the small room … that wouldn’t do.

“Spike?” Buffy murmured and he thought she’d awoken, but her eyes were still closed as she shivered uncontrollably even under the heavy rugs.

Spike knelt next to her, cursing his cold body for not having any warmth to give her. He brushed some stray hair from her face and leaned in close to her. “Right here, luv,” he assured her.

“Cold…” she muttered, trying to curl into a ball under the rugs for warmth. “Hold me.”

Spike sighed and shook his head. He’d only draw more heat from her if he held her, but oh, God how he wanted to comply with her plea. Her lips had a blue tinge to them now and her whole body continued to shudder and shake.

Buffy turned and cuddled against the back of the couch, tucking her head under the rugs. “Spike, please … cold,” she called again and his resolve crumbled. He spooned his naked body against her back, wrapping an arm over her, but stayed on top of the rugs. At least here his worthless, cold flesh could hold the dry covers against her body and provide a small extra bit of insulation against the cool, damp air of the room.

Buffy sighed.

The fluttering beneath Spike’s breast that he’d been fighting returned with a vengeance.

**~**

As the two Spikes swam around her, ice crystals began to form in the clear water. Buffy shivered and swam upwards, her two companions following behind her. When her face broke the surface of the water, a cold wind blew snowflakes against her flesh and her teeth began to chatter as she turned in a circle trying to find her way back to the warm waters she’d been in before.

“Spike?” she called out as she turned, not sure where they had gone.

“Right here, luv,” came a deep voice from behind her.

As she turned back around, a large iceberg floated up next to her; Spike was standing atop it. He held a hand out and pulled her up out of the water to join him.

Buffy’s shivering intensified out of the water as the freezing wind whipped around her wet body. “Cold,” she murmured as she leaned against him. “Hold me.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her and tried to shield her from the wind, but it was whirling around in circles, licking her body with icy fingers. Her teeth chattered and her whole body shook and trembled as she tried to press harder against him. Then the other Spike was standing next to them. Buffy turned and gave him a shivering smile as she reached a hand out to him.

“Spike, please … cold,” she invited him to join them, holding her freezing hand out towards him.

He tilted his head and considered her a moment. Some emotion she couldn’t quite pin down flashed across his face – confusion? Perhaps he was just cold too, because the look faded in an instant and was replaced with a smirky smile. He stepped up behind her and gathered her in his arms, resting his head against the back of hers. The other Spike held her from the front and leaned his forehead against hers. Buffy sighed and closed her eyes as the chill eased and the wind finally died. They wouldn’t let anything happen to her; they’d keep her warm and safe. She didn’t have to be the strong one now. It was a relief to just let them be her protectors for a while.



**~**

Spike’s eyes closed as he lay against her, the heavy rugs separating their damp, naked bodies. The day had been exhausting in every way: from the hour he spent watching Buffy sleeping that morning, to Riley’s uncharacteristic defiance of his orders that no harm was to come to either of the newcomers. Riley feigned ignorance of the poison in the can of yams the girl had almost eaten when Spike confronted him in the kitchen; that earned Riley a beatdown. Then there was Buffy’s rant about not wanting the Platelet to go on patrol and then not wanting her armed. The fight with the Reds might’ve actually been the least exhausting thing he did today, that was until he discovered Buffy on the deck being beaten unmercifully by the large, red-eyed vamps. The coup de grace, however, had been the horror of seeing the Slayer slip over the edge and fall into the water.

His only consolation was that he’d been able to get there in time to stop the Platelet from jumping too. The girl had been bravely fighting the demons with her stun gun, trying to get them off her mother, when he made it to them on the deck. Spike dropped the book and scroll and jumped into the fray, but couldn’t stop Buffy from slipping off the ship and falling into the water. Catching them by surprise from behind, he’d been able to dust several of the Reds before they even turned to fight. When he looked up, Oz was there; he’d come back when Spike and Buffy hadn’t come out of the hold. The wolf helped him take out the last few and drive the ones back that were still pouring out of the make-shift amphitheater in the hold of the ship.

The girl was terrified beyond words, but her brave attempt to help her mother made his heart swell with pride. A bitty-Buffy, there was no doubt. Spike looked over the edge to the dark water below – Buffy hadn’t made it back to the surface. He cursed himself for letting her try to make it out alone; he should’ve been there for her instead of retrieving that damn book!

“OZ!” Spike called. “Take the girl and go!”

Oz turned away from the vamps who had stopped several feet away from the snapping and snarling beast. Their kind had faced him before – and lost; they weren’t fools. The wolf looked at Spike and Annie and growled his understanding.



Spike picked up the book and the scroll from where he’d dropped them and knelt down in front of the frightened girl who still held the stun gun in her hands, the electricity still jumping on the end of it. He reached above the stun gun and gently took it from her hand. “Ok now, Platelet, listen careful,” he began as calmly as he could. “We’re gonna tuck these inside your flak jacket, yeah?” he began as he loosened the Velcro on her vest and stuffed the book and scroll down inside, then tightened it back up securely.

“You’re gonna get a ride of a lifetime now – see the big puppy?” Spike asked, waving a hand at the werewolf who had been backing up slowly towards them but still keeping the vamps at bay with vicious growls and swipes of his powerful claws.

Annie’s eyes darted to the ‘big puppy’ and back to Spike’s and she nodded. “I’m gonna put you on his back and you’re gonna hold onto his fur like your life depends on it, yeah? He’ll get ya back to base.”

“Mom…” Annie muttered looking behind her at the water.

“I’ll get your mum – no worries, yeah? But you have to do this for me. Can you do it?” Spike cajoled.

Annie looked at Oz again, her eyes wide with fear, her heart felt like it was going to explode any moment it was racing so fast in her chest. Blood ran in rivulets from cuts and scratches on her face and her tears mixed with it, making streaks through the red glittery dust that covered her skin. “You’ll get Mom?” she asked again, turning her eyes back to Spike.

“Yeah… I’ll get ‘er.”

“You promise?”



Spike bit his bottom lip. For what little his word was worth, he promised her, and she finally nodded her assent.

Spike lifted her up and set her down on Oz’s powerful back. Annie wrapped her legs around his ribcage then leaned forward so her body was against his neck like she was riding a racehorse. She clutched onto his long fur with both hands, wrapping it around her small palms as tightly as she could.

As Annie got situated, Spike leaned in near Oz’s ear. “Protect ‘er with your life,” he whispered to the wolf. Spike knew he would. When he saw Annie was ready, he shouted, “GO!” to Oz.

The werewolf bounded away, down the deck towards the gangplank, knocking the Reds out of his way with powerful claws as he went. The vampires screamed as they were knocked into the water below. They had a deathly fear of the water that Spike had never quite understood; the sea monsters weren’t normally this close to shore and the leeches were but a minor annoyance to a vampire of their size.  He also didn’t understand why they chose to live on the ships, being so afraid of the water and all. Of course, no one had ever actually accused the Reds of being the smartest of the demons from the Otherworld, simply the strongest and most ruthless.

When Spike was sure that Oz had made it off the ship and the vamps were not pursuing him, he leapt over the edge into the dark water below, intent on keeping his promise to the girl.

**~**

“Mmmmm….” Buffy moaned as a bright sun shone down on them and the cold wind was replaced by a soft warm breeze. The water that had been lapping angrily against the edge of the iceberg turned into soft waves that broke gently against a white, sandy beach. She was finally warm.



She opened her eyes and dropped a soft kiss on Spike’s lips, his arms still wrapped around her where he’d been protecting her from the cold. He lifted his head and gazed into her eyes as if he hadn’t seen her for years.

“Tell me you love me,” Spike whispered against her lips.

“You know I love you,” Buffy murmured to him as she leaned in for another kiss.

“Say it again…”

“I love you, I love you, I love you,” Buffy repeated to him in earnest.

“Say, ‘I love you, Spike’,” he requested, his eyes dancing with joy.

Buffy smiled and touched her hand softly to the side of his face. “I love you, Spike.”

Then she felt the Spike at her back begin to kiss her neck, lifting her long, silky hair to the side as he searched for the spot behind her ear that drove her crazy.

“Mmmmm…” she moaned again as their cool hands roamed over her now warm body. Spike’s tongue delved into her mouth, teasing and tasting her. The other Spike’s lips and tongue found the spot he’d been searching for and began to nibble against the heated skin of her neck, sending goose-pimples racing over her body and tingling her loins.

Buffy lifted one hand back over her shoulder and entwined her fingers that Spike’s hair, freeing his curls from their gel prison, as he continued to tease the sensitive spot behind her ear with his lips and tongue.

“Want to taste you,” the Spike in front of her admitted almost shyly.

“Then taste,” Buffy offered, tilting her head to the side to expose her neck to him.

“No … not that,” he clarified as he dipped a finger between her pussy lips. Buffy moaned as he swirled his finger slowly around between her folds, grazing her clit and teasing her pulsing hole. He pulled his glistening finger out and up to his lips, then he closed his eyes and inhaled the perfume of Buffy deep into his lungs. Buffy watched as he wrapped his lips around his slick digit and moaned in pleasure as her nectar filled his senses with the power and passion of her.

“Then taste,” Buffy offered again, a coy smile playing on her lips and her eyes sparkling like diamonds.

Buffy pushed on his shoulders, pressing him back onto the soft sand of the beach and she moved down with him. The now curly-haired Spike that was at her back moaned his displeasure when she moved away. She turned her head to look back at him and motioned for him to follow.

With one Spike on his back on the warm sand, Buffy crawled up his body and positioned her wet pussy over his mouth. He grabbed her hips and pulled her down against his face, his tongue diving into her ferociously, as if he’d been starving for this for years. Buffy’s back arched and her body quivered as he licked roughly along her slit, then flicked his tongue against her clit before circling it slowly and starting back down towards her throbbing hole. Her whole body shuddered as he delved into her, fucking her with that magical tongue and she moaned his name with more passion than Spike had ever imagined she could.

Buffy reached a hand out towards the curly-haired Spike and pulled him around in front of her. His cock bobbed and jumped as he watched, enthralled, as his counterpart lapped at her juices. Her beautiful body, bathed in the sunlight, now glistened with a thin sheen of perspiration. Her breasts bounced and swayed with every movement and drew his hands to them like magnets.



Buffy couldn’t stop the moans that rolled out of her throat as curly-Spike touched her tits. He circled her hard nipples delicately with his fingers and sent more chill bumps racing over her skin. Her sugar walls constricted around the other Spike’s tongue as a small orgasm washed over her like the warm breeze that blew from the blue water at her back.

Curly-Spike’s cock was right in front of her and she had to have it. She caught the pearl of pre-cum with her tongue just before it began to drip off the engorged head and he moaned his approval. Buffy pulled him to her, her hands on his slim hips, and circled the mushroom head with her tongue before slowly and gently dropping her mouth over his cock. As the Spike below swirled his tongue within her, she lowered her mouth over her other lover’s manhood. She ticked her tongue back and forth over his hardness, matching the rhythm of Spike’s ministrations to her pussy.

Buffy was in heaven. Two absolutely fantastic lovers who wanted nothing more than to make love to her, who knew what she needed, what she desired, how to take her to the highest heights. She’d had some kinky dreams before and Spike had an imagination that wouldn’t quit, but having two Spikes – that was a new one, and one she hoped would keep repeating! She couldn’t quite figure out where they’d come from – neither was actually ‘her’ Spike, of that she was fairly certain. She’d tried to reach him in a dream the last couple of nights and had no luck at all. Unlike Limbo, the bond, apparently, could not transcend ‘normal’ dimensions. She didn’t know what made Limbo special, but she didn’t know that much about dimensions, really. After thinking about it, she realized that the lack of ‘crossover’ would normally be a good thing because much confusion would ensue if all the Spikes and Buffys across all the dimensions were linked with the bond – but in this case, it sucked.

Her lovers moaned her name in stereo, filling her senses with the wonder of their deep, rumbling voices as each of the three endeavored to give as much pleasure as they received. Buffy let go of Spike’s hips and used her hands to fondle his balls lightly, she could feel them tighten even more as she ran her fingers over his sac, back to his taint, teasing him as she began sucking down on his cock harder.

The lover beneath her was teasing her clit with his nose as he slammed his tongue into her hole hard and fast, he wanted her cum, she knew. Just a little more … she just needed a little more. As if he read her mind, he slid one hand from her hip, over the swell of her ass and pressed a finger into her puckered hole.

Buffy cried out around curly-Spike’s cock and slammed down on him harder, taking him deeper, swallowing the head of his cock with each thrust he made into her mouth. Autonomic tears welled in her eyes as he pumped deeper and deeper into her throat, but she didn’t stop him, she simply swallowed faster with every stroke. Yes, she wanted more. She wanted everything they could give her.

Her orgasm began to spread up from her loins; she could feel it rising in her as the two men fucked her and sucked and lapped at her juices. She wanted Spike’s cum in her mouth – wanted to taste him just as badly as he wanted to taste her. She dug the fingernails of one hand into his ass, drawing blood. She sucked down even harder on his cock and she was rewarded with an anguished cry of pleasure and his cum shooting into her as her own orgasm reached the top of her head and began to crash back over her.

Curly-Spike roared his release, his jizz shooting hard and fast into her eager mouth and she swallowed greedily. Her body quivered and her pussy tightened around Spike’s tongue, buried deep in her channel, and he was rewarded with her sweet nectar pouring down over his mouth and face.

She couldn’t breathe past Curly-Spike’s cock. Her heart thudded in her chest and she thought she might pass out, but the lack of oxygen actually heightened the power of her orgasm and sent her spinning on a dizzying carousel of bliss. Finally spent, Curly-Spike’s cock softened between her lips and Buffy gulped air greedily. She licked every drop of cum from his shaft, swirling her tongue round and round its softening length, savoring the feel of it, the taste of him in her mouth. He dropped to his knees in front of her, unable to stay upright another second, and captured her lips with his in a violent, almost angry, kiss. He devoured the cum that clung to her lips, kissing and licking his essence from her salty skin.

Then, just as she started back down from the ride, the Spike below her lifted her up off his face by the hips and pushed her back, down his body, to his neglected cock. Buffy guided him to her dripping slit and he thrust up and entered her in one powerful move. Her back arched and she thought she might topple over as he slammed his cock up into her harder and faster.

“Yes! God, Spike! Yes! Fuck me … Fuck me!” she screamed at him and he did. Suddenly she was flipped over onto her back and he was powering into her even harder, his pubic bone crashing against her clit and sending thousands of electrical shocks out to every part of her body.

“Cum for me, Buffy … give me everything,” he demanded of her, wanting to feel the exquisite pain of her pussy clenching around him in ecstasy, pulling him into her, holding him prisoner within her hot, tight walls.



Buffy dug into his back and shoulders with her nails as she matched his fervor stroke for stroke. They pulled back and slammed together violently as his cock threatened to tear her in two and she threatened to crush him with her passion.

Spike could feel his cum boiling, rising, shooting out, filling her, and he roared with the absolute unbridled fury of her. As his cock throbbed and pulsed in her, another orgasm crashed through her body and propelled them both up and up and up. Up to the top of a magnificent rollercoaster that then roared down, around curves and loops, making them both weightless as it flew faster and faster turning them upside down and inside out with the supreme pleasure of it.

The scream that finally escaped her throat was that of a creature Spike never knew existed, even in his wildest fantasies. She was a powerful, passionate lover who matched his desires more perfectly than anyone they’d ever known. He hungered for her always; it was a craving he knew he would never be able to satisfy. He would always and forever desire more, and having her like this only made him feel that more strongly.

Spike collapsed down atop her. Out of pure habit, his lungs struggled for unneeded air as every muscle in his body seemed to turn to jelly. Buffy wrapped her arms around his back and held him to her as her own lungs burned for more oxygen. Spike finally rolled off her and onto the warm sand beneath them and Buffy lay on her side, cuddled against him. Curly-Spike moved up behind her. He spooned against her back, laying a strong arm over her waist and settling his hand atop the other Spike’s flat stomach.

Buffy sighed again. She was back where she had started, surrounded by their love, their hard bodies protecting her from all dangers. The sound of the waves lapping softly against the shore near them lulled her back to sleep in their arms. She felt safe in their strong arms. Here she didn’t have to always be the Slayer; she could just be Buffy.

**~**

Buffy moaned and moved a hand to touch her head, which was spinning, but not in the good way it had been in the dream. She felt the familiar weight of Spike against her back and she took a deep, shuddering breath and let it out slowly. She tried to remember what happened and figure out which memories were dreams and which were real. It all seemed real, the two Spikes on the beach seemed real, so did the red-eyed vampires … one certainly wasn’t. I vote for the red-eyed Jacks being the dream…

“Spike?” she called softly, praying to anyone who would listen for some mundane explanation for her hallucinations – like she got hit on the head and didn’t actually jump into a portal to save Annie … Annie!

Buffy suddenly jumped up, knocking Spike onto the floor as she looked around for her daughter. “Annie!” she cried, throwing the rugs off her as Spike tried to hold onto that wonderful dream one minute longer. The hysterical Slayer wasn’t making that easy.

“Spike!” Buffy yelled again, not seeing her daughter anywhere. “Where’s Annie!? Spike, damn it, wake up!” she demanded, grabbing him by the shoulders and physically shaking him awake. “Where’s Annie?!”

“No worries…” he moaned as his eyes fluttered open and he looked up at her. Panic replaced the peaceful joy she’d had in her eyes in his dream and he knew he was awake. Dream Buffy was a lot more …

“Oh my God!” Buffy exclaimed, just noticing that she was naked – and so was he. “What the hell did you do!? Where’s Annie!? Where are we? What the hell’s going on, Spike!?” she fired off at him as she grabbed one of the rugs and held it up in front of her body.

Spike was still lying on his back where she’d knocked him and he slowly raised up onto his elbows and looked at her, rolling his eyes. Dream Buffy was a lot less modest, for one thing.



“Saved your sorry ass,” he informed her with a smirk, making no move to cover himself.

“Where’s Annie?”

“Back at base … she’s fine. Oz took ‘er,” Spike assured her.

“She … are you sure? She’s ok – did she jump?”

“Noooo … thank the stars she’s got more sense than her barmy mum,” Spike replied sarcastically as he slowly stood up facing her.

“She didn’t jump? I told her to jump! What was she thinking!? Was she hurt?”

“A couple o’ scratches – she’s fine. Brave little bit ya got there, Slayer,” Spike told her sincerely.

“Why can’t anyone do what I fucking say? ‘Jump!’ Is that so hard to understand?” Buffy ranted.

“Welcome to my world, Slayer,” Spike lamented, cocking a brow at her. “If someone woulda left when I bloody well told them to … someone wouldn’t’ve had to jump in the water with the soddin’ leeches and someone else wouldn’t have had to jump in to save someone’s sorry ass.”

“Oh, shut up,” Buffy growled at him. “Wait! What? Leeches?”

Spike held out his arms, displaying all the dark purple bruises on his body for her. Buffy looked down at her own body as she held the rug up in front of her. “Oh! Gross! Leeches!? Jesus Christ, is there nothing in this world that isn’t infested with disgusting blood-sucking demons?”

Spike looked down at his body, spreading his arms out again as if to say ‘here’, then looked back up at her, indicating the non-disgusting blood-sucker standing right in front of her.



Buffy rolled her eyes. “Get over yourself, Spike. I’ve seen it before … and apparently now, we’re even.”

“Well … not sure that makes us even, Slayer. I mean, apparently you’ve had the pleasure of this tight, hot little body but I, on the other hand…”

“That’s not happening,” Buffy informed him decisively.

Spike shrugged. “Can’t blame a bloke for tryin’.”

“I’d think something was wrong if you didn’t, Spike,” Buffy assured him, rolling her eyes again. “Did the leeches eat our clothes too?”

Spike snorted. “Nooo … they were wet and cold. Left ‘em out on the landing. Maybe I can build a fire out there t’ dry ‘em with. If you stay here I don’t think the smoke’ll be too bad.”

“Why can’t we just, you know, put them on and go back to base?”

“Didn’t know you fancied another swim with the leeches, pet,” Spike explained. “Entrance to the cave’s flooded, gotta wait for low tide … probably be a few hours.”

Buffy sighed and shook her head as she looked around at the familiar office – Mr. Shark’s place. “Belong to a friend of yours?” she asked waving an arm out.

Spike shrugged. “Business acquaintance at one time. Long gone now, along with everything else that could get the bloody hell outta this godforsaken place.”

Buffy nodded solemnly. Spike started past her to go see about building a fire to dry their clothes and she stopped him by laying a hand on his arm. His eyes met hers and the emerald eyes of the woman of his dreams looked softly back at him.

“Thanks,” she offered sincerely.



Spike shrugged but then nodded before turning away and heading down the hall to the landing to tend to their cold and wet clothes.

Buffy sat down on the couch and closed her eyes. Apparently worlds with two Spikes on warm beaches didn’t actually exist. It was just her luck that worlds with super strong, NBA all-star, Jack O’ Lantern vamps did.

**~**

After a few minutes, Spike came back in. He had his wet jeans back on although he’d left his t-shirt, duster and boots out y the fire he’d built using furniture from some of the rooms in Mr. Shark’s abandoned lair.

He dropped down into a chair off to the side of the couch where Buffy was sitting, leaned his head back, and closed his eyes. Despite the sleep he’d gotten, he still felt exhausted. Of course, the dreams he had didn’t help in the rest department any – they seemed so real. Dreams of warm beaches and a Slayer with more passion, and more of a dark side, than he’d ever imagined before, left him yearning for more.

Buffy opened her eyes and looked at him. He had been taking her on an emotional roller coaster ride since she’d gotten here. She never knew which Spike she’d meet next – teasing and smirky, regretful and emotional, cold and distant, or bossy and insufferable. He seemed to change his mood more often than he changed his socks.

She wanted to talk to him about it, but honestly didn’t know what to say. She didn’t want him to retreat into that cold and distant mood he’d had after they’d gotten to base. Even though she told herself over and over that he was not her Spike, it didn’t matter. When he treated her like that, it hurt. When he was ‘large and in charge,’ it aggravated the shit out of her, at times pushing buttons she didn’t even know she had. Regretful and emotional she knew – she knew how to deal with that, how to assure William’s tender heart. Teasing and smirky wasn’t a problem, she could banter with Spike and give back as good as she got. She wondered how many more personalities he had hidden in there. Sybil had nothing on this Spike, of this she was certain.

“You might as well just say it, Slayer.” Spike spoke without opening his eyes or moving anything but his lips.

“Say what?” Buffy asked innocently.

“Whatever’s rambling around in that pretty little head o’ yours.”

“Why do you think anything’s rambling around?” she asked with a frown. Add the ‘Annoying Kreskin’ to the list of Spike personalities.

“Vampire senses. I can hear the little hamster runnin’ on the wheel … squeak, squeak … bloody annoying, it is,” Spike replied, still not opening his eyes, his head resting against the high back of the chair. “Oughta oil that thing once in a while, Slayer.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. And Spike the comedian steps into the limelight.

“Ok, fine … since you brought it up,” Buffy began. “What’s with the multiple personalities?”

Spike opened one eye and looked at her. “Beg pardon?”

“Well, let’s see … we had the Spike that tried to kill me, then the Spike that saved me, then the Spike that helped me, the Spike that cleaned my wounds and the Spike that stood guard all night while I slept. Then there was the regretful Spike, the forlorn guilt-ridden Spike, the smirky Spike, sexy Spike, fatherly Spike … uhhh … Oh, Generalíssimo Spike, cold and distant Spike … have I missed any?”

“I’m complicated, what can I say, luv?” Spike smirked, finally opening his other heavy eyelid. “And, for the record, I think I like ‘King Spike’ better than Generalíssimo. Got a certain flair, don’t ya think? Maybe I could get a crown … or a tiara. Do you think I’d look good in a tiara, luv?”

And there was that annoying, button-pushing Spike … pushing Buffy’s annoyance button. How can you have a serious conversation with a man talking about tiaras? I mean – it’s just not possible. Buffy stared daggers at him but he didn’t notice since he had closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the chair again.

“I know what you’re doing,” she informed him.

“Do ya now? Bloody good on ya, Slayer. Sussed out the sleeping bit from the closed eyes, did ya? Musta given that little hamster some extra kibbles t’day.”

Buffy felt like her eyes were gonna roll out of her head. She suddenly needed a drink … in fact, a lot of drinks wouldn’t hurt. He was making her crazy with his barrier of glib remarks. She got up and went over to the wall next to the now empty fish tank and found the latch for the secret door that concealed Mr. Shark’s wet bar. Spike pretended not to notice her, but followed her movements under the veil of his thick lashes.

Buffy sighed when she opened the bar – one fancy bottle of tequila was all that remained. Well, that would just have to do. She preferred her tequila in Margaritas, but back to the beggars and choosers way of life. She grabbed a whiskey tumbler and sat back down on the couch with her prize.



“Bloody hell … how’d you know that was there?” Spike exclaimed when he saw what she’d found – looking from the now empty bar to the bottle in her hand.

Buffy smirked. “Musta been those extra kibbles I fed my hamster today,” she replied sarcastically as she poured some of the amber liquid into the glass and downed it in a gulp. It burned all the way down and warmed her from the inside out. She poured another one.



“Didn’t Joyce ever teach you the golden bloody rule?” Spike questioned as he sat forward in his seat.

Buffy raised her brows. “Finders keepers, losers weepers?”

“Share and share alike,” Spike provided as he got up and retrieved another glass from the bar.

“I’m relatively sure that’s not the golden rule,” Buffy argued, downing another shot.

“Yeah, well … my kingdom, my soddin’ rules,” Spike continued as he held his glass out for her to fill.

“Is it your mission in life to make me crazy?” Buffy wondered as she grudgingly poured a splash in the bottom of his glass. Spike used his finger to tip the bottle further when she started to pull it back and filled his glass to the top.

“Not sure, pet – how would I know when I’d succeeded?”

“There’d be little hamster droppings coming out of my ears.”

“Sexy as hell that’d be, Slayer,” Spike assured her sarcastically as he downed his full glass of tequila in three long swallows and held it back out for her to refill.



Buffy poured his glass full again. “Almost as sexy as sitting in a cave with a welcome mat for clothes getting drunk on a shark’s tequila with an obnoxious vampire set on world domination through the golden … hic … rule.”

Spike looked at the rug she was still holding over her front and only then noticed that it was, indeed, a welcome mat. He laughed and sat back down in his chair with his refilled drink. “Bloody poetic, that.”

Buffy sniffed. “Yeah, if yuura hooker,” she agreed, her words already slurring. Had she actually eaten anything today? She couldn’t recall.

“Do you have any bloody idea how much I love you, Slayer?” Spike asked out of the blue, his voice deadly serious. He sat forward to look her in the eyes, to judge her reaction.



Buffy sobered immediately. She chewed her bottom lip and nodded solemnly. “I’m sorry, Spike … I’m sorry I can’t be …”

“I know that. Don’t you think I bloody well know that? You make me crazy – havin’ you so bloody close, close enough to touch but knowing I can never touch you. Seeing that girl, Anne Joyce … she called me dad … lookin’ into m’ own eyes. You got any idea what that does t’ me?”

Tears welled in Buffy’s eyes and she nodded although she really didn’t think she could imagine how hard that would be. She had a home to go back to – a Spike to go back to; he had nothing. When she was gone, he’d just have Riley – a little cold comfort, someone to take his frustrations out on, but no one to love.

Spike snorted derisively and downed his drink. “And you gotta ask ‘bout bloody multiple personalities? I’m dying just being next to you. Buffy … I can’t … can’t get lost in ya, luv. If I do, I’ll never …” Spike let his voice trail off as he stared at the empty glass in his hand, unable to even look at her.

Finally he summoned the courage to meet her eyes. The pain in his blue eyes tore at her heart and she wished she could do something to take it away, not just in this moment, but permanently. “I got a promise to keep to a lady, pet. When you’re gone, I’ll still have that mission. I can’t get lost in you, can’t … can’t turn into a bloody ponce and forget that you aren’t mine.

“So, yeah … I gotta keep you away, can’t let you worm your way under m’ bloody skin and drive me crazier than I already am. I already dream of you every bloody night,” Spike admitted, holding his glass out for a refill.

Buffy tilted the bottle and filled his glass as she blinked back her tears. She knew the feeling … or at least part of what he was feeling. She’d felt it before in the Wish World; she knew the desperation and depression and anger and guilt and longing first-hand. Buffy took a deep breath and nodded her understanding of the cold shoulder he’d given her. He was just trying to protect what little was left of his heart; she would have probably done the same, or even worse, in his position.

“So … I guess what you’re saying is, I get under your skin like … ringworm. I get how that would be … unpleasant,” she offered sympathetically looking down at her empty glass.



Spike snorted and took another sip of his tequila. “More like bloody jock itch, you are, Slayer.

“Here’s t’ you and tequila, luv – ya both make me bug-shaggin’ crazy,” Spike toasted, lifting his glass towards her. He didn’t wait for her to join him before lifting his glass to his lips and throwing back the rest of the amber liquid in one gulp as he drank to his own toast.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear You and Tequila, Kenny Chesney & Grace Potter  on YouTube  }}


Baby, here I am again, kicking dust in the canyon wind
Waitin' for that sun to go down
Made it up Mulholland Drive, hell-bent on getting high
High above the lights of town

You and tequila make me crazy
Run like poison in my blood
One more night could kill me, baby
One is one too many, and one more is never enough

For 30 days and 30 nights, been putting up a real good fight
There were times I thought you'd win
It's so easy to forget, the bitter taste morning left
Swore I wouldn't go back there again

You and tequila make me crazy
Run like poison in my blood
One more night could kill me, baby
One is one too many, one more is never enough

When it comes to you, oh the damage I could do
It's always your favorite sins, that do you in

You and tequila make me crazy
Run like poison in my blood
One more night could kill me, baby
One is one too many, one more is never enough

Never enough
End Notes:
TBC ... I do apologize for not having nude screencaps to actually match the events of this chapter. (drat it all!) I hope you could use your imagination and remove everyone's clothes there in those bits. :) Would you rather I just forgo the screencaps in that case, when I can't find any that actually match? I didn't know if it was distracting to have the pictures not match like that. Really - let me know!!

How did Annie and Oz fare on their trip back to base camp? We'll find out next. Doesn't Oz make a cute 'puppy'? :O You know I love hearing from you - don't be shy!
Helpless by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Annie and Oz brave the gauntlet to get back to base. Was Oz able to keep her safe as Spike promised Buffy?
**
Music Referenced: Helpless, Neil Young http://youtu.be/8aoqVEYzsZk
Some Screencaps courtesy of Broken Innocence (others from ScreenCap Paradise which is, sadly, no more). http://broken-innocence.net/index2.html and also from BuffyWorld.com
**
Thanks to Anona, u2fan2005, and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, commentary, and help betaing this chapter. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
(earlier that day) Sunday, April 17th, 2011, Gift-less Dimension, on the Mexican Reefer:




Annie had long ago lost her voice from screaming. Now, only silent, terrified gasps escaped her throat as she pressed her back painfully against the railing on the side of the ship. She held the stun gun so tightly that her fingers had gone numb and were on the verge of cramping. Her knuckles had turned linen-white from holding the trigger down so hard. The electricity jumped between the electrodes on the end of the gun constantly, crackling a fierce warning to the large vamps. She was trying to keep the red-eyed vamps back, away from her and her mother – it wasn’t really working too well. Buffy lay motionless near her feet; Annie couldn’t tell if she was still conscious or not. The moans and ‘ooomphs’ that escaped her mother’s throat each time one of the vamps kicked her told the girl her mother was alive, at least. She heard Buffy tell her to ‘jump’ earlier, but she couldn’t do it. She couldn’t leave her mom there alone – they’d kill her, for sure.

Annie felt like she’d been here for hours, but certainly it had only been a few minutes. Now though, the vamps were getting braver, taking swipes at the stun gun to try and knock away. Annie held onto it with both hands, poking it at their bony fingers and long, scraggly arms to keep them back. They were reaching in from all around her, it seemed. Although she knew there was nothing but water at her back, she felt surrounded. If she let them knock it out of her hands, she’d have no way to protect herself or her mom. Her hands started to cramp and pain radiated up into her arms – her muscles ached and quivered with the strain. To make matters worse, there were scratches and gouges on her arms where the vamps’ long, talon-like nails had swiped at her in their attempts to disarm her. She didn’t know how much longer she could keep them from knocking the gun out of her hands. She was terrified beyond anything she’d ever felt – and that was saying a lot.

With all her soul, Annie wished her dad was there … she wished Spike was there. Tears of absolute, unmitigated terror rolled from her eyes and blurred her vision as she tried to tell her mother that they both needed to jump – soon! Buffy was too heavy for Annie to move, to pull over the side with her, and she shouldn’t take her eyes off the vamps or her hands off the stun gun, anyway. Then, suddenly, as if someone had heard her prayers, three of the vamps burst into red glittering dust. Through the dust she could see Spike, his sword already beginning its swing back towards the other vamps that surrounded Annie and Buffy. Annie’s tears came harder and sobs of relief wracked her body.




“MOVE!” he screamed at her as he began his attack on the vamps closest to her. Annie stepped away from him towards the newly open area to her right and ducked down, making herself as small as she could. All that was left of the vamps that had been beside her only seconds before were pretty sparkles covering the deck. When Annie moved from behind Buffy, the Slayer’s way to the water was no longer blocked and, in a daze, she pulled herself over the edge. Spike caught Buffy’s foot with one hand as he dusted three more vamps with the sword he held in the other. She kicked and struggled against him, thinking it was one of the Reds trying to pull her back up. Finally, her shoe came off and she slid over the edge to the ‘safety’ of the water below.

“Bugger!” he roared as he dropped her shoe and turned to face the Reds that were still streaming out of the hold.

He had just stepped in front of Annie when suddenly Oz leapt past him. The werewolf stopped the approaching vamps in their tracks as he snarled and swiped at them with his sharp claws. Spike sighed in relief and stole a quick look over the edge into the water to see if Buffy had surfaced … she hadn’t.

Annie was still holding the stun gun tightly in her hands, the trigger still activated, making blue-white electricity sizzle back and forth between the electrodes. Her heart was racing, she could hardly breathe, and she couldn’t stop the tears, no matter how hard she tried. Time seemed to blur; Spike was kneeling in front of her – talking about riding the ‘big puppy’. Her glistening blue eyes looked at Oz and then back to Spike. She didn’t want to be disrespectful, but that was a werewolf, not a puppy. She didn’t correct him. Were werewolves ‘ride-able’? She’d never heard that before, but… things were different here. Very different.

Then she was making him promise that he would get her mom. She felt better. Dad … no, Spike, had promised. It was like her dad had promised, so it would be ok … right? But he wasn’t her dad – he’d been cold, mean even. Things were different here. She prayed that it would be okay.

Then she was on the wolf’s back, squeezing her legs around his ribcage and leaning her head and body down against his neck. She thought it funny how soft his fur was. It seemed strange that a demon like that would have such soft, luxurious hair.

The next thing she knew she was on a rollercoaster ride with no safetybelt or seat restraint. Oz moved in leaps and bounds down the deck, bouncing from side to side like a demonic Tigger, knocking vamps out of his way as he went. She could feel his growl rumble through her chest as he snarled at the Reds. Annie held on, as Spike had told her to, for dear life. And she prayed some more. She wasn’t sure who might hear, but someone had – they’d brought Spike when she’d wished and prayed. She added a silent wish in there with the prayer, just for good measure.

Annie closed her eyes and held to the beast with all her strength. His unpredictable movements made riding this ‘big puppy’ akin to riding a wild bull. She’d often slide to one side or the other as he jumped from side-to-side in a serpentine fashion to keep the bats, which were circling overhead like giant vultures, off balance.

Her arms, which were clasped tightly around Oz’s neck and throat, made breathing difficult for the werewolf as he ran as fast as he could towards the closest sewer entrance with his precious cargo. He knew he couldn’t stop, couldn’t let her get re-adjusted on his back, lest the bats attack. So, he kept running, gasping for air as his lungs and muscles burned for oxygen. As laid-back and stoic as the man was, Oz’s wolf was the polar opposite – ferocious, high-strung, even emotional. Despite the differences, there was one commonality – heart. Spike trusted him with this girl, who Oz knew meant more to Spike than he let on in front of the others. Oz would not break that trust.

With only a few yards to go to the sewer entrance, Oz was knocked to the ground by one of the bats that had gotten lucky on its dive. He and Annie rolled head over heels across the pavement, carried along by his momentum. Oz was back up in an instant, though, turning quickly to see where the girl was. It wasn’t hard to find her. She’d found her voice again and was screaming bloody murder as the lucky bat dug its sharp claws into her flesh.

Blood ran down her thighs from where the demon-bat’s talons had sunk into her flesh, below the protected area that the flak jacket covered. She was pinned to the ground, unable to move, unable to get free. She pushed against the beast with exhausted arms, but couldn’t budge it. She screamed at the top of her lungs, but the bat didn’t seem to notice. The only thing she could see were its large, sharp fangs, and the only thing she could smell was its hot, putrid breath as it leaned down towards her throat, going for the kill. In a moment of lucidity, she reached for her stun gun … the holster was empty. Spike had kept it when he had taken it away from her earlier. Annie continued to scream in terror, her panic rising higher, as she felt the long whiskers of the bat brush against her cheek. Even as she kicked and struggled to get away, she closed her eyes and braced for the inevitable pain as tears she thought had run dry sprang to her eyes again.

Suddenly, the beast’s claws were ripped from the flesh of her thighs, sending new waves of agony through her body. She wrapped her arms around her torso as her screams escalated to blood-curdling and she started to cry uncontrollably. Annie curled into a ball on the pavement, trying to stop the burning, shooting bolts of pain that burst from her wounds and consumed her. Her stomach quailed and retched from the agony and fear that consumed her. Without warning, yellow, acidic bile exploded from her raw throat and covered the pavement in front of her prone body. She struggled to breathe between the waves of nausea, then began coughing and choking as the meager contents of her stomach filled her nose and sinuses in its attempt to escape her ravaged body.


Finally, there was nothing left to come up and the heaving waned. She gasped for air through her mouth and tried to clear her sinuses by blowing and sniffing … it would’ve been enough to make her vomit again if there had been anything left inside her.



She could hear growling and crunching of bone, but dared not open her eyes as fear gripped her, immobilized her, and refused to let her go.  She wanted to be brave … she really, really did. She wanted to be a Bitty-Buffy, to make her dad proud, but it was beyond her reach. She couldn’t move, couldn’t even scream anymore; all she could do was cry. Then the bat’s high-pitched shriek of pain joined her sobs and cut the otherwise still air with knives of anguish.

And in another moment, the wolf was there, pulling her away, towards the sewer entrance. She tried to get up as he dragged her by the back of her shirt, but couldn’t make her body work. Blood poured from her wounds, leaving a thick trail of crimson on the pavement. Flesh and muscle hung like grotesque appendages from her thighs; dirt and debris embedded in her wound’s as Oz dragged her to safety.

The wolf continued to scan the sky and surrounding area for more attacks, but the other bats that had been circling them now converged on their downed compatriot. It thrashed wildly trying to get away and shrieked in pain as the cannibalistic demons drained its blood and ripped its flesh from its bones. The sound was almost more than Annie could stand. It invaded her brain like a red-hot poker and she started to hyperventilate, unable to get any air despite breathing in fast, furious bursts.

Riley, Tara, and Xander had apparently pulled the manhole cover closed over the sewer entrance when they retreated. Oz tried unsuccessfully to pry it open with his claws, but lacked the dexterity as the wolf to open the heavy cover. In only a few moments, he morphed back into the man, and quickly pulled the cover off. Annie writhed in pain next to him, tears still streaming from her eyes and blood running in rivers from her ravaged legs.

“C’mon!” he called to her. “Let’s go! Down!”

His voice pulled the Annie out of her pain and fear induced daze and she jumped when he spoke, as if he had struck her. She hadn’t even realized he had changed from the wolf. She looked up and met his eyes – no longer the eyes of the wolf; they were now kind and full of worry.

She began to shake her head in protest, to say that she couldn’t, her legs hurt, she couldn’t move, couldn’t climb down, she couldn’t do it, but something stopped her. She took stock of the man, the stranger, in front of her. Barely taller than she, he had fought the demons back, risked his life for hers – for someone he didn’t even know. If not for him, she knew that Spike couldn’t have gone after her mother – he would’ve stayed with her. It barely registered with Annie that the man was naked – it seemed perfectly natural. She also didn’t notice that one of his arms was mangled and bleeding badly – the only thing that hit her was he was asking her to be strong now, just as he’d been. She could hear her mom’s voice telling her that being brave was not letting anyone else know you were scared and telling her how proud her dad would be.

She closed her eyes and tried to take a few deep breaths and stop crying. Bitty-Buffy, Bitty-Buffy … Dad will be proud, Bitty-Buffy, she repeated to herself, picturing her father and that smile he’d give you when he was proud of what you’d done. She had to be that girl now – even though she didn’t think she was, she just had to try.

“Annie … I can’t carry you like this. I’m sorry,” Oz whispered to her, cradling his injured arm and keeping an eye on the bats that were nearly done with their fallen brother. They would be looking for their next meal very soon.

She swallowed back her fear and her tears and nodded slowly, then slid over to the manhole with her weary arms. Dropping her nearly-useless legs in first, she lowered herself down using mostly her arms. She faltered more than once and nearly fell, but managed to hold on by catching a rung with the crook of her elbow until she could steady herself and then move down again. She kept moving down slowly, clutching at the ladder with every ounce of strength she had, until she was finally – thankfully, on the bottom of the tunnel. Oz followed her down, closing the manhole behind him. The two injured combatants sat down across from one another on the cold floor of the sewer tunnel and just tried to breathe for a few minutes.

After getting his heart to calm a bit, Oz moved over and began checking her wounds. They were pretty bad … well, very bad … very, very bad. Large chunks of flesh were torn from her thighs and she was still bleeding profusely.


“Sorry about the full frontal nudity,” he offered stoically as he continued his inspection of her injuries and tried to staunch the worst of the bleeding. “Comes with the gig.”



Annie nodded, then scrunched her eyes closed in pain and held her breath when he touched her wounds. Oz ripped what was left of the legs of her jeans off and fashioned them into tourniquets, tying them tightly around her thighs. It was only sheer luck that her femoral artery hadn't been cut in the attack – if it had been, he'd be bringing a corpse back.

“It’s not much further now – can you ride if I walk slow?” he asked her at last, deciding there wasn’t much else he could do for either of them down here in the sewers.

Annie nodded resolutely. Bitty-Buffy. “Are … you … ok?” she asked him between gasping breaths, looking at the deep gash on his arm.

“Just a scratch,” he assured her. “Say something if you need to stop – I can understand you,” he instructed before morphing back into the wolf.

Oz lay down on his stomach and Annie climbed onto his back, holding onto his neck with her arms. When she was set, he began again – this time moving more slowly and with a distinct limp, but he kept a steady pace back towards base.

“Thank you,” Annie offered quietly as they walked through the dark tunnels. It didn’t seem enough, but it was all she had. Oz purred a rumbling response.

**~**

Oz banged heavily on the steel doors that led into the base camp and hoped someone would hear. He preferred to not have to shift back to his human form and use the iris reader by the door to unlock it; he hated to make the girl move from her position any more than necessary.

He needn’t have worried, though, as the door swung open almost immediately. Xander and Tara rushed out and ushered the pair in while Riley walked past them and looked down the tunnel for Spike.

As soon as Tara and Xander had the injured girl off his back, Oz headed for his room to tend his own wounds and find some clothes. Xander carried Annie to the infirmary while Tara ran ahead to get Andrew – who was the closest thing they had to a nurse … err, medic, these days.

Xander didn’t wait for Andrew to arrive to begin tending the girl’s injuries. Bat talons, he knew, carried all kinds of nasty germs on them and from the look of her torn flesh, she’d gotten a good dose of them. As Annie faded in and out of consciousness, both from the pain and exhaustion, Xander removed the tourniquets, cut the rest of her jeans off, and removed her flak jacket. But even in her daze, she refused to let go of the book and scroll that Spike had given her to safeguard, holding them tightly to her chest.

Xander scowled at the obstinate girl who held steadfastly to the items, then gave up trying to get them from her as he turned his attention back to her mangled legs.




“Oh God,” Andrew whined when he came in with Tara. “Bats … I hate bats. Why do you guys always have to get caught by the bats? I mean – duh! Look up!” he chastised as he retrieved an IV kit and began a morphine drip in Annie’s left hand.

“Gee, Andrew, why didn’t we think of that? Maybe you’d like to come with us next time and show us what we’re doing wrong instead of staying here in your cozy little geek clubhouse,” Tara shot back at him.

Andrew rolled his eyes and pursed his lips together. “It’s a ‘lair’, not a ‘clubhouse’ and I’m just saying … bats are bad.”

“Thank you for the newsflash. I think we can all agree that bats are bad,” Xander offered sarcastically, as he finally removed the book and scroll from Annie’s hands – she was out cold. He placed the items on the floor under her bed and the three of them worked on cleaning the girl’s wounds just as thoroughly as they could. They’d long ago run out of antibiotics. The best they could do was disinfect the wounds and hope her natural infection-fighting antibodies could defeat the germs the bat’s talons left in her. They knew from past experience, it was a thin hope.

They cut off any flesh and skin that was too damaged to repair and Andrew stitched up what remained. It wasn’t a pretty sight. The long, lean muscles of her dancer’s thighs had been ripped apart by the demon bat. Her flesh had already started turning purple-black from the bruising and was swollen grotesquely. Angry looking blood-red tissue peeked out in the areas where there wasn’t enough skin left to close over the wounds.

Andrew did the best he could, but his training as their medic consisted of Spike telling him he had to, “Find something bloody useful t' do!” if he wanted to stay. Since quoting ‘Star Trek:TNG’ got on Spike’s nerves, and Spike didn’t consider baking to be ‘useful’, Andrew had been relegated to helping the doctor and nurse that used to be part of the community, neither of whom were here any longer. From that moment on, he was the medic, despite the fact that he had nothing but very limited and rushed ‘on the job’ training.

When Andrew finished stitching Annie’s wounds up, he sighed heavily and stood back to examine his handiwork. “I think that’s gonna leave a mark.” Andrew cringed and chewed on his bottom lip in worry. “Do you think the Slayer will be mad? I mean … Oh God … I’m not a plastic surgeon! I only watched ‘Nip/Tuck’ a few times and mostly they were having sex. Which … hey, that is that Julian McMahon hot, or what?”

Tara and Xander both looked like they were gonna throttle him, and Andrew waved his arm dismissively. “Never mind,” he sighed and his shoulders slumped. No one here really appreciated good television.





“I did the best I could – you’ll tell her, right?” Andrew begged, folding his hands under his chin in prayer and looking at Tara hopefully.

“You are such a dweeb,” Tara replied, rolling her eyes and leaving the room. Xander followed her. There wasn’t anything else they could do for Annie now.

“But – you’ll tell her, right? I did the best I could!” he called after them.

Just then, Riley walked in. “Did she say where Spike was?” he asked as Andrew shut off the morphine and disconnected the IV.

“No, she didn’t say anything. You can’t reach him with that cute little psychic bond thing you do?” Andrew wondered.

“If I could, I wouldn’t be here talking to you, would I? Wake her up and find out,” Riley ordered.

“What do I look like, the Sandman? I don’t just put people to sleep and wake them up at will,” he informed Riley, snapping his fingers. “Although … that would be a pret-ty cool power to have,” Andrew droned, getting a kind of dazed look in his eyes as he thought of the possibilities.  “I’d be like a god…”

“You are the most useless piece of …” Riley started to rant, his red eyes glowing brighter as he knocked Andrew out of his way and headed towards Annie.

Riley grabbed Annie by the shoulders and began shaking her to try and wake her up. When that didn’t work, he pulled a hand back to slap her face, but someone caught his wrist before he could come down with it. He whirled on whoever it was that dared questioned him, morphing into his full vampire visage and growling angrily.

Oz stood behind and slightly to the side of Riley, and didn’t so much as flinch when the larger man turned on him. “Pretty sure it wasn’t her day to watch Spike,” Oz informed Riley flatly, not intimidated by his rank in the ‘organization’ or the vamp’s larger size. Being the boss’ squeeze had its benefits, but didn’t impress Oz in the least.



Riley growled at him again, narrowing his eyes angrily.

Oz remained unfazed. “If you want to compare canines, we can. But I’m pretty sure I’d win,” Oz pointed out with a small shrug, his tone calm.

Riley thought better of taking on the wolf … he’d seen him in action and knew he couldn’t win in a physical fight. “I’m just trying to find out if we need to go back for him,” Riley explained lamely.

“Spike’s orders were to go to base. Until he countermands them, then good tin soldiers should stay put,” Oz related unnecessarily.

That was common knowledge: follow Spike’s orders until he said otherwise. They all had radios – if they needed help, they just had to call. And Spike had that bond thing with Riley from turning him – even if his radio was messed up, he could still contact him if he wanted to. Spike had rarely used the bond with Dru. Being in Dru’s head was like a ride on a demonic carousel that tilted and twirled wildly – frankly, it made him woozy. He didn’t use it much with Riley, but it came in handy when he needed to get a message to him quickly.

“Did you see where he went?” Riley asked.

“Nope.”

“Where’s the Slayer? Are they together?” Riley continued his interrogation.

“Don’t know.”

“What do you know?” Riley snarled sarcastically.

“That he wanted the girl protected,” Oz relayed as he pulled a chair up next to Annie, plopped down on it, folded his arms across his chest, and silently dared the ex-soldier to make a move.

Riley snorted angrily and glared at Oz a moment. “Well, good job with that, Dog-boy! You protected her into an early grave. I’m sure Spike will forgive you for failing. We both know how forgiving he can be,” Riley hissed at the smaller man sarcastically.



The thought of Spike’s wrath being rained down on the obstinate mutt warmed Riley's undead heart. Finn gave Oz a derisive snicker, then he turned abruptly and left the room.

That bitch Slayer and her spawn were messing with Spike’s mind and Riley had had just about enough of it. He felt like his world was crumbling. There were certain things he used to be able to count on: being Spike’s right hand, his confidant, the one person in the whole world that he could and would bare himself to, being Spike’s only lover, knowing that Spike would always come home to him. These things weren’t certain any longer. Nothing seemed certain as long as Buffy and Annie were here. He desperately wanted everything to just go back to the way it was before. He had realized something since the Slayer had shown up: it wasn’t Buffy he loved or desired any longer; it was his sire. It was Spike. He’d never tell Spike that, it would earn Riley the beating of a lifetime, but that was the truth of it. He knew that now.

When Riley left, Andrew stepped back up and straightened Annie’s covers. “So you’re like Rin-Tin-Tin, huh?” he asked, giving Oz a shy smile. Andrew liked Oz. The redhead was mysterious and solitary and dangerous. A literal lone wolf … a nomad, taking orders from no one, living by his own rules, a rebel with a cause. Like Dirty Harry or the Outlaw Josey Wales. Definitely someone rough and tough and Clint Eastwoody. He could imagine Oz saying, ‘Go ahead, punk, make my day,’ to Riley.

Oz nodded thoughtfully. “Or Clifford, the Big Red Dog,” he offered, his tone dry, as it normally was, making it hard to tell if he was kidding or not.

Andrew’s smile widened and he sighed dreamily … a big, cuddly Clint Eastwood.  

**~**

Oz jumped, reflexively striking out with a fist when Spike touched his arm to wake him up. Spike blocked the blow easily as Oz cleared the sleep from his mind and focused on where he was and who had awoken him.

“Sorry, man,” he offered in apology as he rubbed his weary eyes.

Buffy was on the other side of Annie’s bed, brushing some stray curls back from her face. Annie had come in and out of consciousness over the last few hours since Oz took his post beside her bed. She now clutched the book and scroll against her chest again. After asking first for her mom, then her dad, and then for Spike, she’d been adamant about finding the items that Spike had entrusted her with. Oz gave them to her and she hadn’t let go of them since.


“What happened?” Buffy asked, looking at Oz with glistening eyes.



“Bat,” Oz offered in explanation. “Just a lucky strike – it knocked us both down; I got it off her, but,” Oz shrugged and shook his head in silent apology.

“Sorry, man, I did all I could,” Oz continued, looking at Spike.

Spike pursed his lips, planted his hands on his hips, and nodded solemnly.

“She’s got a fever. Did you give her antibiotics?” Buffy asked as she studied her daughter’s face and laid a hand on her forehead.

“Don’t ‘ave any,” Spike explained.

“You don’t have … any?” Buffy questioned in disbelief. “What about the hospital or … clinics, doctor’s offices… someone must have some!”

Spike shook his head. “Sorry, pet – we looted ‘em all – they’re long gone. Used ‘em up right quick, we did.”

“What about … houses? People surely left some. Have you checked medicine cabinets?” Buffy pressed.

Spike shook his head again. “Even if we found some, they’d be ten years old, Buffy. They’d be … useless.”

“This is not happening!” Buffy exclaimed as she pulled the covers down and looked at Annie’s wounds. In addition to the deep purple bruising that covered her thighs, the wounds themselves were now a bright red and weeping thick, yellow liquid: pus.

“Oh my God,” Buffy muttered, raising a hand to her mouth as her stomach churned and roiled. She touched a finger down next to one of the gashes and more yellow pus oozed out of the open wound. “No, no, no … This isn’t … this can’t happen!” she exclaimed. Her eyes were wide with fear when she looked back up at Spike. “Don’t you even have any antibiotic ointment? There’s gotta be something!”

Spike shook his head, pursing his lips together as the smell of what he knew was infected, rotting flesh assailed his nostrils.



“DO SOMETHING, SPIKE!” Buffy demanded, dropping Annie’s covers and moving around the bed to where he stood. Buffy pushed him in the chest, making him take a step back. “You said she’d be safe! You told me Oz would take care of her! Nothing to worry about, you said!

“DO SOMETHING!” she demanded again, pushing his shoulders with both hands. He took another step back.

“You’re the leader – fucking LEAD! Give me an order! Tell me what to do! Where to go!” she continued to scream at him, pushing him again and again until his back was against the wall.

Spike didn’t have any answers for her. There were no antibiotics. The best they could do was clean the wounds again and hope. He looked into her eyes and the worry and anguish there cut him like a knife. Had he let her down again? “Buffy … pet,” he began gently. “I’m sorry – I …”

“Spike! Where the hell have you been?!” Riley demanded as he entered the room.


Spike rolled his eyes and a low growl rumbled from his throat. “Not now!” Spike barked at his childe, turning impatient eyes on the ex-soldier.



“Oh, that’s great. So, it’s fine for me follow all your orders, get everyone back to base, but you don’t have the decency to even tell me where you are? That you’re alright?” Riley countered angrily.

“Not. Now,” Spike growled again even more emphatically, his eyes flashing gold.

“That woman is gonna kill you, Spike. She’s fucking with your head! She’s twisting everything! She’s gonna screw everything up!” Riley warned, pointing an accusing finger at Buffy.

“I think I liked you better when you just glared and tried to kill us,” Buffy retorted, turning to face him. “Be a good puppy and run along home now. Daddy will be there soon to spank you.”

“You bitch!” Riley growled at her, morphing into his full demon visage and drawing back a fist as he moved forward towards her.

Buffy stood firm, lifting her jaw and daring him to hit her; he’d stomped on her last remaining nerve. She didn’t care that Riley was now not only much larger than her, but also stronger – if he hit her, there’s no way Spike could keep her from dusting him. Wild horses couldn’t keep her from dusting him.



Oz was just a bit closer than Spike and he stepped up between Riley and Buffy. “Not cool,” he stated flatly, his own features beginning to morph into the wolf.

Riley stopped short as Buffy stood behind Oz with her arms crossed over her chest and her chin raised haughtily. Spike grabbed Riley by the arm and dragged him out of the room, slamming the door closed behind them. Buffy could hear their angry voices from the hallway, but couldn’t make out what they were saying. She gave up and went back over to Annie.

“She asked for you … you and Spike,” Oz offered, his human side back in control. “And those damn books – she really loves books. Reminds me of Willow.”

Buffy smiled sadly and nodded, touching a hand down on the old tome and the scroll that Annie had been sure would unlock the key to creating the Gem of Amarra.

“I’m really sorry, Buffy,” Oz apologized again.

Buffy nodded. “I know you did all you could, Oz. I’m not mad at you … it’s just …” Buffy sighed heavily and blinked back her tears. “Thanks.”

Oz nodded, his normally passive expression tinged with regret and sorrow, then headed towards the door just as Spike came back in – alone.

“You didn’t have to taunt him like that, Slayer,” Spike pointed out tersely.

“Oh yeah, I really did,” Buffy retorted angrily. “So, have you come up with a new plan, King Spike? Preferably one that includes saving my daughter’s life … and her legs?”

Buffy’s chest tightened and she swallowed back hot, angry, fearful tears. “She’s a dancer, you know,” Buffy told him, her voice softening as she looked back at Annie. Buffy’s chin began to quiver uncontrollably as the tears broke through her will and welled in her eyes. She couldn’t stop them from falling no matter how hard she tried to hold them back. “She’s … she’s gonna be the understudy for Clara next year in the Nutcracker … she loves to dance,” Buffy continued, her voice trembling, barely a whisper.



“God, Spike … please help me,” she begged him, turning around and facing him again. “Please help her.”

Spike pulled her into a hug and Buffy sobbed against his shoulder. “I’m sorry, pet,” was all he could offer.

The fluttering that Spike had been fighting in his chest suddenly turned into knives of guilt and anguish as he looked over Buffy’s head at the girl lying in the bed, clutching those damned books to her as if they were the Holy Grail. For him they may be, but for her they were only words, nothing more than paper and ink. If he hadn’t gone to retrieve them in the first place, if he’d just left with Buffy when he ordered everyone else out, this might’ve all been avoided. If he hadn’t taken the time to tuck them into her flak jacket, perhaps … perhaps the bat that caught her would’ve missed, or Oz would’ve been able to run that much faster without the added weight and been able to dodge the attack.


‘Perhaps’, ‘what if’, ‘if only’ … those were words Spike was all too familiar with. He’d lived with them haunting his every waking and sleeping hour for ten years. If only he’d been a little faster on the tower. If only he’d remembered that Doc was a Reptilian demon and they couldn’t be killed by just stabbing them in the chest. He’d been right there in the wanker’s house, had him down, all he had to do was finish him off then and there. If he’d done that, there would’ve been no one on the tower to spill Dawn’s blood in the first place. If he’d only been able to find Ben and kill him before the ritual began. He might’ve had a helluva headache, he wasn’t sure if the chip would’ve triggered on Ben or not, but it would’ve been nothing compared to the heartache he’d had since that fateful night. It seemed like there were a hundred things he could’ve done differently that night. And now there was a new sorrow, a new list of ‘if onlys’ to add to the montage of regrets in his head and heart.

Here he stood again. The Slayer asking for his help and all he could give her were empty words. King Spike was helpless. In fact, he was no king, no general, no leader, no hero. He was simply a smitten, besotted fool trying to keep his promise to a lady, trying to earn the love of a ghost, trying to make up for past failures.

In the end that was all he was – a helpless, love-sick failure.



**~**

{{  Click here to hear Helpless, Neil Young on YouTube  }}

There is a town in north Ontario,
With dream comfort memory to spare,
And in my mind
I still need a place to go,
All my changes were there.

Blue, blue windows behind the stars,
Yellow moon on the rise,
Big birds flying across the sky,
Throwing shadows on our eyes.
Leave us

Helpless, helpless, helpless
Baby can you hear me now?
The chains are locked
and tied across the door,
Baby, sing with me somehow.

Blue, blue windows behind the stars,
Yellow moon on the rise,
Big birds flying across the sky,
Throwing shadows on our eyes.
Leave us

Helpless, helpless, helpless.
End Notes:
TBC ... Uht-oh! Now what? We're getting closer to the angst ... I know you can't wait for it to actually start!
Jealous Guy by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
The group tries to come up with ideas on how to get Buffy and Annie back through the portal above the bug pit. Well, the group minus one: the jealous guy.
**
Music Referenced: Roxy Music, Jealous Guy, http://youtu.be/hRzGzRqNj58
Some Screencaps courtesy of Broken Innocence (others from ScreenCap Paradise which is, sadly, no more). http://broken-innocence.net/index2.html and also from BuffyWorld.com
**
Thanks to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter. And giant thanks to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Final thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
(a few hours after Spike and Buffy got back to base)
Monday, April 18th, 2011, Gift-less Dimension, in the Initiative / Base Camp:




“So … I need some bloody ideas from you lot now,” Spike demanded of his core group. “We need to get the Slayer and the Platelet back to their dimension to get the girl to a proper doctor.”

Tara, Xander, Oz, and Warren sat around their normal table in the cafeteria and listened to Spike’s plea. Riley didn’t show for the mandatory meeting. Spike would deal with him later.

“Maybe…” Xander suggested, “…if we could somehow move that crane around and drop the boom down over the spot where the portal is, they could climb up it and … ya know, do whatever they do to open it, and climb back through.”

“Right then,” Spike agreed. “How do we do that?”

“I’ll have to go out there and look again – I can’t remember how far away it is or what position it’s in now,” Xander told Spike. “If it’s facing the right direction, we just need to loosen the bolts holding the boom to the frame and it’ll fall down. If it’s too far away …” Xander shrugged. “…not sure how to move it. We’d need diesel fuel and even then, after ten years, it probably won’t crank up.”

“What about magic? Glinda – can you move it with magic?” Spike asked, looking at the white witch turned warrior.

Tara shrugged and fidgeted with a loose string on her shirt. “Maybe – yeah, I could try. It’s really heavy though – I don’t know…”

“Oz, you got any ideas?” Spike continued around the table.

“How far out into the bug pit is the portal?” Oz wondered.

“Round-abouts half way – Slayer said she fell right down in the bottom of the pit,” Spike provided.

Oz nodded thoughtfully, fiddling with the thin beard on his chin for a few moments. “If you could get it open, I might be able to jump into it from the edge of the pit … Then get a ladder or a rope … something to lower down and pull them up. How long does the portal stay open?”

Spike shrugged. “Not rightly sure on that.”

**~**

Buffy stayed with Annie as Spike and the others brainstormed on ideas to get them home, but she was getting antsy; she felt like she just couldn’t stay in that small room another minute.

“Uhhh … hi,” Andrew greeted her sheepishly, stopping short just inside Annie’s room. He hadn’t really expected anyone to be in here except his patient. “I’m … ummm …” he stammered, not sure he really wanted to tell her he was the one that had cleaned and stitched her daughter’s wounds.



“Andrew,” Buffy filled in. “You’re the medic, right?” Buffy eyed him a little suspiciously; after all, Spike said he was Warren’s ‘puppy’. Anything to do with Warren was suspect as far as she was concerned.

Andrew gave her a nervous smile, then straightened, drew up all his courage, placed his hands together as if in prayer, and begged earnestly, “Please don’t kill me.”

Buffy stared at him blankly. “Why would I kill you? Did you do something?” Her voice was accusatory; her features crinkled with concern as she looked at her daughter and then back to the medic.



“No! No, no!” Andrew waved his hands back and forth quickly. “I just … I did the best I could on the stitches and stuff.”

Buffy nodded and blew out a breath. “Oh. I know … Oz told me. It’s ok. I appreciate what you did,” Buffy assured him.

Andrew gave her a relieved smile and finally moved further into the room towards his patient. “Yoda knows there wasn’t a lot I could do. I’m sorry they aren’t … better. Unfortunately, my Jedi training … well, ummm … there’s not a lot of human first aid instruction in the handbook.”

Buffy shook her head and closed her eyes a moment as a vision of Billy and JJ playing ‘Jedi Scoobies’ with their light sabers flashed in her mind. She bit her bottom lip and swallowed back tears that seemed to swell up from her heart. She and Annie had to find a way home – soon.

“Did I say something wrong?” Andrew wondered worriedly.

Buffy opened her eyes and shook her head. “No … it’s just … my son’s a … big ‘Star Wars’ fan. He’s seen all seven. I think a hundred times each.”

“SEVEN!” Andrew exclaimed, his eyes wide with surprise and wonder. “There are seven now? What … when … what happened in them? Tell me everything!” he demanded excitedly, moving towards her with wide, expectant eyes. “Please tell me Jar Jar Binks wasn't in the other movies! What about Jake Lloyd? I hope they didn’t keep using him for the young Darth Vader … he was soooo lame. He couldn’t act his way out of a wet paper bag.”

Buffy held her hands up, stopping him. “I don’t know.”

“You don’t … know? How could you not know? You haven’t … watched them?”

“No. That’s Spike and Billy’s thing, not mine,” Buffy told him. She started thinking that maybe Spike encouraging Billy to be a big ‘Star Wars’ fan wasn’t really the best idea, if Andrew was any indication of what could happen to him. Boys playing Jedi was cute; grown men … maybe not so much.

“What about ‘Battlestar Galactica’? ‘Indiana Jones’? Or ‘007’? Did Timothy Dalton make any more Bond films?” Andrew pressed. “He was supposed to make three.”

Buffy sighed. “I don’t know who Timothy Dalton is,” she admitted.

At Andrew’s shocked and deflated look she offered, “I think I heard Spike talking about some prequel show for Battlestar … ummm …” she thought a minute. “Cap … something ...‘Caprica’ maybe? Something like that, but I really don’t know, Andrew. Sorry.”

Andrew sighed and nodded sullenly. “No one appreciates good television anymore,” he muttered as he turned back to Annie.

“Will you be here a while?” Buffy asked. “I really need to take a walk. The walls are closing in on me.”

Andrew nodded. “I have to clean her wounds to try and keep the infection down. I’ll be here a while.”

“Great, thanks. I won’t be too long.”

“Hey,” he called after her.

“Yeah?” Buffy stopped and looked back at him.

“Spike likes … sci-fi?” he asked shyly, a slight blush coloring his cheeks.

Buffy laughed lightly and nodded. “Hugely. But don’t tell him I told you.”



Andrew grinned to himself as he turned back to his task. Spike likes sci-fi!

**~**

Buffy meandered around the cavernous common area. The small community of people that lived here seemed content to spend their days playing checkers, chess, or card games, reading books that had been brought in from the various libraries in town, and doing simple daily chores like cleaning and laundry. Apparently they were happy with this existence for the mere fact that they still existed. The world outside these walls was a dangerous place and very few outside Spike’s core group of warriors ever ventured out. There was no need for money – there really wasn’t anything to buy. Money couldn’t put food on the table or clothes on their backs. If something was needed, they put in a formal request with Riley and, when the warriors were out in the world of demons, they’d try to find the things people asked for and bring them back.

When they first moved in here, Spike and Riley had made many trips to hospitals, clinics, doctor’s offices, pharmacies, and even veterinarians to get medicines and supplies for the wounded and sick. But the sheer number of wounded at the beginning took a heavy toll on the supplies. As it turned out, many of those people couldn’t be saved despite the best efforts of the doctors and nurses that had, at one time, lived among the refugees.

For a while, everyone hoped that the army or the National Guard or even the Red Cross would show up and help them – but no one ever did. When that hope faded, some people couldn’t stand being cooped up in here any longer and fled – none ever returned. No one ever knew if they actually made it out of the demon-zone or not; they didn’t even know if there was any part of the world that was not a ‘demon zone’.

Riley helped Spike bring order out of chaos, and with 'survival of the fittest' rules now in play, Spike became the leader. He was the strongest … well, actually Riley was the strongest, but Riley would always be subordinate to Spike, so Spike, was, by default, the strongest. At that time, with the chip still functioning, Spike couldn’t harm humans, but Riley could. So, the ex-soldier became Spike’s enforcer. Riley was happy to keep order in the community. He liked order, regimen, routines – and he made sure everyone else started liking them too.

Tara and Oz hadn’t really been adverse to the idea of Spike being in charge. Xander, however, was a different story. It had taken a long time for Spike to earn the respect of the younger man.

When Anya died, after pushing Xander out of the way of the falling tower, the only thing Xander wanted was revenge; the only thing he felt was absolute, gut-burning hatred. He hated everyone and everything. The happy, jokester died that day with his fiancé; well, he thought of her as his fiancé, even though she hadn't actually accepted. He wore the engagement ring he’d gotten for her on a rough, leather lanyard around his neck as a reminder – he never wanted to forget what he’d lost. From the ruins of Xander’s life, a demon killer, a ruthless hunter, rose up like a phoenix. Despite Xander’s loathing of Spike, the peroxided vamp proved to be quite adept at knowing where the demons would be and how to destroy as many as possible with each strike. Over time, that skill earned Spike Xander’s respect, and ultimately his loyalty. It didn't happen overnight, and there was more than one blow-up between the remaining Scoobies during the first tumultuous months, but eventually everyone accepted Spike as the leader.



After Willow had restored Tara’s mind during the battle with Glory, the two witches tried to stay out of harm’s way for the majority of the fight. Willow had been able to magically clear the path to the stairway up the tower for Spike while Buffy battled Glory. It seemed like the battle was over when Buffy raced up the tower, leaving Ben battered and beaten on the ground, and everyone left below began to relax a little. Then, suddenly, all hell broke loose again: Glory was back, Giles was tossed against the base of the tower, and a portal swirled to life above their heads. Willow reacted immediately to Giles' distress, leaving Tara’s side and racing forward towards her friend, her mentor, but she couldn’t help him. All she’d done was race into a death trap.

Tara could see the portal opening high above them. Then she saw Buffy jump from the tower just before the whole thing collapsed like a house of cards. Willow, horrified by what Glory had done to Giles, was weaving a spell to send the hell-god exactly where the bitch wanted to go – straight to hell. But before Willow could complete the spell, the tower buckled and collapsed, crushing her under tons and tons of steel and iron. Tara watched helplessly as her whole world was torn to shreds ... again. She'd just gotten her mind back and, in the next instant, her heart and soul had been torn from her chest.

The memory of Buffy simply giving up, jumping off the tower and committing suicide, as the love of her life was still fighting, hardened the white witch's heart. Tara vowed to continue that fight, just as Willow had. Tara would not give up. She'd worked on her conditioning and become an expert in hand-to-hand combat. She made Spike or Riley teach her how to use every weapon they had available to them and she spent many long hours honing her skills. Her magic would never be as strong as Willow’s had been, but she could still fight, still avenge her lover’s death. Every demon she killed was for Willow.

The group that survived and fought together weren’t friends, not like they had been friends in the time they simply referred to as ‘before’. They were combatants, comrades in arms, fighting for a common goal – for vengeance, and nothing more. They watched each other’s back, they trained, they planned, they killed demons, but they weren’t friends. There were no celebrations, no parties; there was no laughter or jubilation, there was no joy. They all carried their own reasons for the fight within their hearts: Anya, Willow, Buffy and Dawn, and even Giles – and each kill they notched on their belts was in memory of everything they’d lost.

Buffy passed through the common area and turned onto a ‘side-street’, a narrow hallway that led away from the large hall. She just needed to move – to walk, to feel like she wasn’t a rat in a cage for a few minutes so she could think and figure out how she was gonna get Annie home. She’d hoped to fix this world for Spike … somehow. She didn’t know how, but that hope flew out the window when she saw her daughter’s injuries. If Annie didn’t get some real medical treatment she could easily die; at the very least, she may never walk properly again. Certainly Buffy's friends were looking for them by now. How long had they been here? Buffy tried to remember, it seemed like weeks … months even, but in fact had only been three days, two nights – this was the third night.

She wasn’t really paying any attention to where she was going; she didn’t think she could actually get lost down here. After all, there was just so far you could go before you hit a wall and had to turn around. She was walking down one of the long corridors in the ‘demon containment area' which now served as living space for the inhabitants of Sunnydale. She didn’t recognize it; it wasn’t the one her room was in – of that she was fairly certain.

“Avengelyne,” she heard a voice call out as she passed one of the converted cells. She stopped dead in her tracks.

She whirled towards the voice, her eyes wide. No one had called her that since … “Rack?”

Rack sauntered slowly out of his room; the quilt covering the front of it had been pulled back so he could ‘people watch’. It wasn’t the most original thing in the world to do to pass the time, especially since there were so few people, but every now and then something interesting happened.

“You double-crossed me, Avengelyne,” he accused, but his voice was calm, almost congenial. He even had as small smile on his lips.

I double-crossed you? Seriously? You trapped me in your magic – you never intended on sending me anywhere!” Buffy retorted, planting her hands on her hips and jutting her right hip out to strike an indignant pose.

“Very true,” Rack agreed with a nonchalant shrug. “But whoever it was that trapped me in this hell-hole of a dimension finally brought you back to me. I knew you couldn't resist my call for long. What’s it been … a year, Avengelyne?”



"Did you even know how to send me back, or was that all a lie?" Buffy demanded angrily.

Rack's smile returned. "Oh, I know how, Slayer. I well know how..." he purred, low and breathless. "Just couldn't lose you – all that pure, white power. We could've been sooooo good together. I would've kept you on top of the world.

"How did you get out of my spell, Avengelyne? How did you turn it around and send me ... here? More clever than I imagined you were."

Rack continued to move forward, nearer to Buffy, as he talked. Buffy tried to take in what he was saying and sort out all the confusing dimension-jumping and time travel and wish-worlds in her mind. This would be the Rack from her dimension – he’s from the same place she is. Apparently, he still remembered what had happened in the wish-world. Why could he remember when no one else except Buffy did? Buffy ran what he'd said back through her mind: he had been transported out of that dimension when he'd double-crossed her. Had Wanda done that, too? Apparently, when the wish-world changed and crumbled, he wasn't in it; he was here. Was he actually the cause of Annie’s accident? Had his magical ‘call’ somehow conspired to bring them here?

“What do you mean you're ‘trapped’?” Buffy questioned, taking a step back from him, and focusing her attention on the part about him calling for her.



Rack held his arms out as if to encompass the whole dimension. “Trapped. Like a roach motel – the roaches crawl in, they don’t crawl out. You think I’d be living in this squalor if I could get out?”

Buffy looked behind him at his room and shrugged. “Looks nicer than that roach motel you used to live in.”

Rack turned back towards his room as if just seeing it for the first time, then looked back at her with calm indifference. “I kinda miss that old couch. I’d just gotten it broken in when – poof … I’m here and I can’t get back … or even forward … sideways – nothing. Stuck. Trapped. How'd you do that, Slayer?” he asked again.

“I didn’t. Maybe it was karma,” Buffy suggested with a slight snarl to her lips. “You know, a ‘what goes around comes around’ kinda thing?

“Why aren’t you helping them fight?” Buffy continued. “With your power, you could…”

Rack snorted and waved a hand dismissively, interrupting her. “I have more pressing issues – like finding my way out of this hell hole.”

Rack cocked a brow at her. “So what did you do to get stuck here, Avengelyne?”

“Who says I’m stuck? Maybe I just came for a visit … you know, like a survivalist training camp for Slayers. It’s not just a job, it’s an adventure,” Buffy quipped.



Rack actually laughed at that. It was the first time Buffy had heard anyone laughing in this place.

“Well, then, you wouldn’t mind taking me back with you, then,” Rack suggested.

“Why the hell would I do that?”

“Old times’ sake,” he purred, stepping closer and reaching a hand out to touch her.

Buffy shifted to the side, out of his reach. “If you’re the least bit attached to those appendages, you need to keep them away from me. Reach out again and I’ll rip it off.”

Rack pulled his hand back and shrugged. “Just a little taste … you know you want it as much as I do.”

“Actually, I know very well that I don’t want it. Stay outta my way and you may live long enough to find a way outta here,” Buffy threatened as she started walking away from him.

“You’ll be back, Avengelyne – you always come back,” he called after her.

Buffy shuddered. Rack gave her the wiggins, but at the same time she could feel her skin start to thrum just being near his magic. Yet another reason to get the hell out of here, like now. However, in addition to the wiggins he gave her, he also gave her an idea … a way to fix things here.

Buffy poked her head in and checked on Annie. Andrew was still there, nothing had changed, so she headed down the hall to the cafeteria and the meeting going on there.

As she approached the door, she paused and listened a moment when she heard Tara’s voice, strong, adamant – angry …

“I’m just saying, why are we going to all this trouble to save them? We’re putting our lives at risk, jeopardizing the entire community, for what? A suicidal Slayer who jumped off the tower and left us all to fend for ourselves!?"

"Not just the Slayer, Glinda ... the girl, too," Spike pointed out.

"Oh yes, her daughter, who we all know is not going to live," Tara retorted. "No one’s ever survived a bat attack like that, even with antibiotics. I think this whole thing’s a waste of time and effort,” Tara argued to the rest of the group.

Spike narrowed his eyes at her. “Too bad for you this ain’t a democracy, Glinda. Don’t rightly care what you think. The doing ain’t up for debate – the how we do it is.”



Tara sighed heavily and crossed her arms over her chest. She knew better than to argue with Spike, but that didn’t mean she had to agree with him.

Buffy stepped into the large room, which was empty save for the community leaders, sans Riley, who had still never shown up. Everyone looked up as she walked in. In the past, if she’d overheard something that she wasn’t supposed to hear, her friends would be shifting uncomfortably in their seats right about now – but no one here did that. They really didn’t care that she’d heard Tara’s argument against helping her and Annie, or the witch's announcement that the bat attack was a death sentence for her daughter. Buffy was again taken aback by the change in her friends. The Tara she knew was the most empathetic, sweetest person in the world; she’d give a stranger the shirt off her back. This Tara wouldn’t give Buffy the time of day.



Buffy walked up to the table, stood behind Riley’s vacant chair, and looked at the group, her arms folded over her chest. Finally she took a deep breath and addressed Tara. “You think your Buffy jumped off the tower to get out of this … to get out of her obligation. You couldn’t be more wrong. I don’t know why she missed, but she jumped off the tower to save you – to save all of you, to save the world from this,” Buffy began, waving her arms out to indicate the demon world they lived in.

“Dawn was made of Buffy. To close the portal, the blood had to stop flowing … someone’s blood – Dawn’s or Buffy’s. Death was her gift. She gave it willingly, heroically, if, apparently, in vain.

“Buffy loved you, all of you,” Buffy stressed, purposely laying a hand on Spike’s shoulder. “And she would not have knowingly left you to fend for yourselves. She was trying to close the portal. She was sacrificing herself to save you – all of you, she just failed.

“I’ve been to more than one dimension in my life, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that in other dimensions, Buffy did close the portal by jumping off the tower; she saved you all by giving her life.

“Now, I know you don’t know me – and I don’t pretend to understand what you’ve all been through, ‘cos I haven’t been here. But I’ve lost people I’ve loved before and I can assure you that I know the sweet taste of revenge," Buffy paused a moment and looked at each person in turn, then continued emphatically, "But let me tell you something: revenge doesn’t bring anyone back from the dead.”

“Revenge is all we’ve got. Nothing can bring them back,” Xander informed her. “Dead is dead.”

“You’re wrong. I got my family back after it was stolen from me. And, just like your Buffy, I died fighting Glory. You all brought me back from the dead. It’s called dark magick … and it’s more than a theory – it’s real and it can work,” Buffy argued.

“We don’t have that kind of power,” Tara pointed out.

Buffy shrugged. “It’s true, it would be easier with Willow here, but you’re a powerful witch in your own right and you have the most powerful warlock I’ve ever known living down the hall.”

“Who?” Xander asked.

“Rack.”

“Rack?” Spike questioned, his voice rising in surprise. “He’s lower ‘an a snake’s belly and twice as slippery.”



“Right,” Buffy agreed. “That’s why we never trust him; we use his power, and the power of my scythe, funnel it through Tara, and fix this mess.”

“Could you define ‘fix’?” Oz asked, his brows furrowed in confusion.

“Fix. Everything,” Buffy replied firmly.

“World peace. I’ll finally master E-flat, diminished ninth. And the Doobie Brothers will reunite?” Oz questioned, giving her a serious, yet hopeful, look. “’Cos that would pretty much rock.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Fix everything within reason. Anya, Willow, Giles...”

“Buffy ... Dawn?” Spike questioned hopefully, looking up to meet her eyes.



Buffy gave a little shrug. “Possibly even Buffy and Dawn,” she confirmed.

“How?” Xander asked. His skeptical voice had just a tinge of hope attached to it.

“My initial thought would be to send Spike back in time and let him try out one of those hundreds of ways to save me that he’s been working on for the last ten years,” Buffy suggested.

“Bloody hell. You’re serious,” Spike realized, his voice a mixture of disbelief and hope.

“As a heart attack,” Buffy confirmed. “You know what went wrong – you know what you’d do to change it. You’re the strongest fighter, so saving Buffy … saving everyone, would be up to you, Spike.

“But it’ll take some time to work out,” Buffy continued. “We need to figure out the spell – or beat it out of Rack, and figure out how to use Rack’s power while keeping him from screwing us over. Annie doesn’t have that time. I need to get her home – now. I promise I’ll come back and help you, but I’m begging you – help me get her home.

“Please help me,” Buffy pleaded with them, clenching her jaw and blinking back her tears.

Everyone nodded solemnly, the earlier animosity replaced with a faint glimmer of hope that things could be changed, fixed … well, everything except, perhaps, the Doobie Brothers and E-flat, diminished ninth.

**~**  

Riley moved away from the door of the cafeteria without showing himself. Just as he thought, that bitch was going to ruin everything. He was losing Spike even now – if Buffy could actually pull off her crazy plan to send Spike back in time, then what would become of Riley? He’d pull up in Sunnydale and they’d be throwing Spike a ticker-tape parade – he could see it now. Buffy would be swooning over her hero, falling into his arms, riding off into the sunset with her white knight – where would that leave the solider? Alone. That was unacceptable.


**~**

Buffy sat in the chair next to Annie’s bed, leaning forward and resting her head on the mattress next to her daughter. Annie was burning up with fever. Andrew was bringing cold compresses and ice in every few minutes to keep her fever down as best they could. They couldn’t keep it down too far; it was, after all, her body’s way to fight the infection, but they had to keep it under control to prevent damage to her brain and organs. They were walking a tightrope without a net. When Andrew went out to get more ice, Buffy allowed herself to rest a few minutes, allowed her exhausted eyes to close for just a moment. She was so very tired.

She heard the door to the room open and willed her eyes to open, to help Andrew with the cold compresses, but they were fighting her, her whole body was fighting her. Just another minute, her weary eyelids begged. Just one more minute, then we’ll …

Suddenly, Buffy was hefted from her chair and tossed like a ragdoll against the wall behind her. For a moment, her exhausted mind thought it was a dream – like when you dream you’re falling and you wake with a jerk. She shook her head and opened her eyes, trying to focus on what happened. Had she fallen out of her chair? She’d no sooner started to clear the sleepy fog from her mind than she was picked up by the front of her shirt and her back was slammed against the wall again.

“I don’t know why he still loves you,” Riley growled at her. “I give him everything he needs. Indulge his every whim, every fantasy, endure every torture he can conceive … but that’s not good enough, he still wants you.

“Riley…” Buffy moaned, her mind finally realizing it wasn’t a dream.

“That’s right, Riley. You remember me, right, Buffy? You used me for what you needed but otherwise just shut me out of your life. The big, stupid soldier who would do anything for you, but, just like Spike, everything just wasn’t good enough for a bitch like you, was it?"



“Riley, let me go! Put me down!” Buffy demanded as she started to struggle under his grip, finally coming fully awake. His red eyes simply glowed brighter as he tightened his hold and pressed her even harder against the wall at her back.

“Spike always said you needed a little monster in your man.  I guess we found out that was true the last couple of nights, didn’t we?” Riley taunted her.

“What are you … Let me go or I’ll kick your sorry ass!” Buffy threatened, trying to kick or knee him in the groin but missing. Her flailing feet and legs landed ineffectually on his hard thighs; his grip on her tightened further.

The ex-soldier laughed scathingly at her vain attempts to escape and her empty threats. “Been to any nice beaches lately, Slayer?” Riley snarled at her, ignoring her demands to be let go. He knew he was stronger than she – he could rip her head off with one hand … and he would, soon enough.

“What are you talking about!? Put me down!” Buffy ordered him again.

Finn simply snickered.

“You know – you and me and Spike … nice warm sand, that pretty little mouth of yours doing things that you never did to me when I was human. And the night before in the water … mmmm, Buffy – you never let go like that when it was just me. Such passion and desire – for your monsters,” Riley taunted her.

Buffy was having a hard time breathing, not from the grip he hand on her, but from his words. “I … you … no …” she stammered. “That was a dream ... only a dream … and Spike … just Spike ... my Spike. You … how do you ...?”

Riley smiled ruefully. “‘I want to feel him inside you, pumping you, ravishing you. Want to see the pleasure of him on your face… I want his cum filling you,’” Riley repeated what he’d said to her in that first dream. His mouth was near her ear, his breath cold against her skin, his words icy. “Of course, it wasn’t really your pleasure I wanted to see … it was his, but I said what you wanted to hear.

“Both of us moving inside your heat.” Riley let out a guttural moan and his red eyes flared brighter. “Almost be worth keeping you around for – if you weren’t such a holier-than-thou, whoring bitch.”

“No! It was … just a dream! It was a dream of Spike! My husband, Spike!” Buffy argued, lashing out at him wildly with her fists and feet.

Riley laughed cruelly as her punches just bounced off his arms. “No, it wasn’t … it was us. You saw Spike, but you fucked us, Buffy. Spike didn’t even know – he’s so caught up in the fantasy of you, he didn’t even realize you were actually there. He still thinks they were just dreams, just his dreams. But I knew – I knew by the way you looked at him afterwards – like a big cat eyeing a little, helpless bird.



“You’ve learned a lot about pain and pleasure since I knew you, but I bet I could teach you more. Spike’s been a wonderful mentor for me; it’s the least I can do before I kill you.”

Buffy felt bile rise in the back of her throat and she thrashed and struggled against Riley’s grip, trying to get away. Then she heard a knock on the door and Andrew calling her name. Riley had locked it when he came in. There would be no interruptions. Buffy opened her mouth to scream but Riley dropped his mouth over hers and smothered her cry for help with a painful, violent kiss.

Riley ripped the front of her shirt open, tearing long gashes in her flesh with his nails, and Buffy screamed against his mouth. It was really a shame he couldn’t actually let her scream out – it would make this sooo much sweeter.

Buffy struggled against his superior strength, kicking and battering him with her fists and feet even as her mind reeled in revulsion. The dreams weren’t just dreams? It wasn’t some fantasy conjured by her subconscious of two Spikes – of her Spike? Riley was there? Riley was one of her lovers? The thought tore deep gashes in her heart and soul; she felt used and abused and ... violated.

Tears stung her eyes and bile threatened to suffocate her as she fought against him. Riley shifted his hold on her, grasping her with one hand clamped tightly around her throat. He held her up to his level, her feet off the ground, as his other hand tore savagely at her jeans. She felt the denim dig into her hips and her back as he pulled the front, trying to rip them open. She heard the heavy fabric starting to tear in the front as it embedded more deeply into the flesh of her hips. The button at the top flew off and the zipper gave way under his strength, then his hand was there – against her bare skin, plunging down and ripping at her underwear.

She finally landed a solid kick right in the balls and Riley’s grip loosened momentarily. She came down on his arm with hers, mustering all her strength in that one blow, and knocked his hand away from her throat. Falling to the floor, she tried to scream, but nothing came out – she had no breath. She gasped for air and began to crawl away from him towards the locked door of the room – towards help. But Riley wasn’t that easily defeated or deterred.



His vampire visage was grotesque, pure evil. In that moment, he seemed more evil than anything she'd ever seen before. His red eyes danced like the flames of a roaring fire as pure hatred burned in them. It was as if there was glowing, red-hot lava just behind his eyes and it wanted to devour her – burn her alive. Buffy had nearly made it to the door when he caught her by the foot and flung her savagely against the furthest wall like she weighed nothing. The Slayer crashed against it hard, knocking the air she’d managed to get back into her lungs out again. The drywall shattered from the impact, almost like it was made of glass, and white dust rained down on her and filled the room with a fog of plaster. She coughed the dry, white powder out of her throat and lungs and began scrambling again in an instant, trying to get to her feet, trying to reach the door.

Riley kicked her in the ribs, sending her crashing back against the wall again, then he was standing over her, kicking her again and again in the ribs and stomach and head, just as the Reds on the ship had done. Buffy tried to curl up, to protect herself, but he was too close and kicking too hard. He drove her body back into the wall at her back, cracking the drywall further and splintering the two-by-fours behind it.

“How’s it feel, bitch? How’s it feel to know you’re gonna die because you couldn’t keep your filthy mitts off him? Spike’s mine! I’ve given him everything! You’ve never given him anything!” Riley raged at her.  He dropped down atop her and ripped at her jeans again, this time tearing the seam beneath the zipper completely in two.

Buffy was dazed. She couldn’t tell where the door was anymore – wasn’t 100% sure which way was up. For a moment she thought she should jump. She needed to get off the ship … over the edge, into the water. Annie was in the water, she needed to go … get away from the vampires.

“Look at me, bitch!” Riley demanded as he spread her legs with his knees and climbed atop her. “You need to see who’s fucking you this time – Riley Finn! Say it! Riley! Say it!” he demanded as he freed his erection from his pants.



“Spike…” Buffy muttered incoherently, still trying to get up, get away.

 “Bitch!” Riley screamed at her, slapping her face with a vicious backhand and raising an immediate welt on her cheek.

“Spike…” Buffy moaned again as her head spun from the force of his blow. She again had the strange sensation that her head may have actually come off and was rolling around on the floor. She desperately wished it would stop doing that.

Just as Riley pulled back to slap her again, the door splintered, was ripped out of its moorings, and flew into the room with a loud crash. Before Riley could do more than look up, Spike was on him, knocking him away from Buffy and to the floor. “You bloody wanker!” Spike raged at his childe as he kicked him unmercifully in the chest, stomach, and groin. “Couldn’t leave it a-bloody-lone, could ya? Bloody stupid git!”



Despite his superior strength, Riley cowered away from his sire, as he’d always done, covering his head and curling into the defensive ball that he wouldn’t allow Buffy to find earlier. “I did it for you! For us!” Riley screamed at him even as Spike continued kicking him savagely.

Spike stopped and stood over the fallen vamp, hands on hips, his chest heaving in fury and frustration. He looked over at Buffy, who Andrew had helped to a sitting position. The geek was pressing the ice pack that he’d brought for Annie against the bruise on the Slayer’s face. When Andrew couldn’t get in the room, he’d immediately gone to get Spike. The little ponce may have saved Buffy’s life.

“Spike, I swear, I was only thinking of you … she’s trouble! She’s twisting you up inside, I can see it! She’s gonna kill you!” Riley asserted, sitting up with his back against the wall.

Spike dropped down into a crouch in front of Finn, his forearms resting against his thighs. Spike’s lips were pursed, his head titled, and eyes narrowed as he studied his childe. “How did I get so bloody lucky? All m’ lovers having the gift of sight… Dru … even Harm – she could see a sale comin’ a month ahead o’ time, and now you.”

Riley looked at him blankly for a moment, not really understanding Spike’s sarcasm. “She can’t send you back in time! That’s a bluff to get you to help her. She’s gonna get you dusted! Don’t you think if people could go back in time the government would be doing it? Think of everything they could’ve avoided. World Wars could be stopped before they’d even begun … famines wiped out, epidemics erased! It. Can’t. Be. Done. She’s playing you, Spike!” Riley asserted through blood-stained lips and teeth, his arms wrapped around his painful ribs that Spike had broken.

“We need to kill her – kill her before she kills you! That’s what I was doing. For you,” he continued in earnest. "I was doing what you couldn't ... for you!" he insisted.

Spike raised his brows. “Killin’ her, eh? Looked like you were rapin’ her t’ me. Pretty sure I can tell the bloody difference. Was that for me, too? Have a poke for ole Spike?”

“No … Yes … I just …” Riley stammered. “You have to understand – she pulled us into those dreams, but she couldn’t even see me! Fucking bitch called me ‘Spike’! I just wanted her to know before she died …”



Spike’s jaw dropped open and his eyes narrowed to thin slits as he looked from Riley to Buffy. Tears welled in her eyes as she clutched a sheet around her body, covering her torn clothes and bruised flesh. Buffy met his gaze across the small room as she held the ice pack against her cheek. The one eye on the side Riley had slapped was nearly swollen shut, but in the other eye he could see it: shame. In that moment he knew that Riley was telling the truth. They weren’t just his normal dreams and fantasies. No wonder they felt so real.

“You’re part o’ the clan … been claimed then. Took the blood oath, yeah?” Spike asked her, his voice soft. “Share a bond with … him …with your Spike?”

Buffy nodded almost imperceptibly. That had been part of the fairy-tale she’d left out before. On that first night they spent on Revello Drive when she’d told him about her life, he seemed so … heartbroken. He’d never had a chance to earn his Buffy’s love, never had a chance to touch her heart. She could feel his pain and thought that tidbit would only make it worse for him.

Spike pursed his lips and turned back to Riley. “Ever think maybe we pulled her in, you bloody nimrod? Only way her bond could accept it would be for the both of us to look like her soddin’ husband? She wasn’t with us, you berk! She was with her bloody mate! You think the Slayer would a’ touched either of us if she’d a’ known?”



Riley shook his head, disagreeing. “She pulled you in … she’s trying to take you away from me. You can’t let that happen, Spike! I’m the one that’s got your back! Me! Not her! She’ll get you killed!” Riley asserted again.

“Ya know, I reckon I’ve had my fill o’ lovers who can see the bloody future. At least Dru’s visions, muddled as they were, usually had some miniscule grain o’ truth to ‘em.”

Riley clenched his jaw and tears welled in his eyes. “Please, Spike … I love you. I’m the only one that ever has.”

Spike bit down on his bottom lip as he studied his creation. Since his mother, he’d never made another vamp – not until Riley. Both times he told himself that it was to save the other person – but the reasons were more complex than that, more personal, perhaps more selfish. He loved his mother and couldn’t bear the thought of losing her to the consumption that was slowly, but surely, draining her life. He longed to see the vibrant woman she had once been, longed to make her well, see her happy again.

Riley was a completely different story – he didn’t care one wit about the enormous hall monitor. The day before he would’a been happy to see him die – danced at his funeral, pissed on his grave. But at that moment, when Riley showed up on Buffy’s doorstep, Spike needed help. He needed someone to watch his back, help him keep Dawn safe; so he’d ‘saved’ him.

“Spike?” Riley questioned softly, reaching a hand out to his lover’s face. “Please believe me. It was for you.”

Spike nodded slightly and let Riley pull him forward. Their lips met, gently at first, then with more fervor … more passion. Buffy watched from the other end of the room and her stomach turned. Not from seeing the men kissing, but because she knew Spike was forgiving him. She’d felt that kiss before; she’d seen that look in his eyes before.

Riley would’ve raped her, nearly did – would’ve killed her. In the process, he would’ve sentenced Annie to death, as well. And Spike was forgiving him!? No, not Spike … not her Spike, certainly. This person wasn’t the man who loved her – not any longer. Trust no one.

Anger boiled up inside her like a geyser, exploding in a powerful flood of red-hot, furious emotion. She dropped the ice pack and picked up a piece of the splintered door: a long, jagged piece of wood … a stake.

Just as she made it to her feet to start across the room towards the two men, Riley exploded into a cloudy mixture of red glitter and grey, sooty dust. Spike’s lips were still kissing the ghost even as the dust floated softly to the floor in front of him. In his hand was a stake, still embedded in the air where the half-breed’s heart had been, in his chest. Buffy stopped short and looked at Spike with shock – she hadn’t expected that at all.

By now a crowd had formed outside the door in the hall; Oz, Xander, and Tara were at the front of the group. Xander and Tara gasped when Spike staked Riley; they hadn’t expected that either. Oz, as normal, took it in stride. Not much shocked him, or at least, he didn’t let his shock show.



Spike dropped backwards, down onto his ass, still holding the stake in his hand. He looked up at the ceiling, every tendon in his neck and every muscle in his cheek strained to the breaking point, and screamed. He screamed like he was being torn apart from the inside; a long and agonizing bellow that filled the room and shook the rafters. Finally, with no breath left in his lungs, he lowered his head onto his knees, and began to sob.

“Oh, Spike,” Buffy moaned as she dropped the stake she had and moved over to him. She knelt down and put an arm over his shoulders.

“I’m sorry, Buffy … sorry for what he done t’ you. Sorry for … the dreams. I didn’t know … I swear I didn’t,” Spike offered, never looking up.

“I know,” Buffy accepted his apology with a heavy heart. She was glad that he hadn’t knowingly taken advantage of her ignorance of how the bond had reached out to the nearest clan members it could find, but she still felt violated. Not just in the last few minutes by Riley, but by both of them in her dreams. To make matters worse, she felt like a fool and a slut for letting them do it – and for enjoying it. She’d welcomed them – let them take her where only Spike had taken her in the past and, worst of all, she let her guard down, lying in their arms afterwards feeling so very safe and loved.

She thought about Spike – how hurt he would be if he found out that she couldn’t tell the difference; found out that she'd allowed herself to be fooled, that she'd betrayed his trust. Yes, it was a dream, it didn’t actually happen … but it did. How many times had she and Spike connected through the bond and shared a very real dream, just like that? More than she could count. It wasn’t like the dreams you had no control over, like standing naked in front of class while trying to deliver a book report – these were … interactive. She was a willing player in them; she hadn’t said no, in fact, she’d said yes quite eagerly.

Andrew cleared his throat from behind them and Buffy looked up. “Her fever’s worse – we need to get her into an ice bath.”

Buffy nodded and stood up, still clutching the sheet around her body. “I’ll get the girl – you should …” Spike looked up, wiping his eyes, and saw his lieutenants standing in the doorway. “Glinda … you got some clothes the Slayer can change into?” Spike asked as he stood up, switching immediately into leader mode.

As Tara nodded and turned to go get something, Buffy began to step past Spike towards Annie. “It’s ok – I can get her.”

Spike’s eyes met Buffy’s for a brief moment and Buffy could see searing pain in their blue depths, but also determination. “We can fix it, Spike – I swear we can,” she promised.

He nodded gravely, then Buffy turned, tucked the sheet around her like a toga-wrap, and picked Annie up. As she followed Andrew out of the room and to the locker room to get Annie into an ice bath, Spike stood perfectly still and watched her go. The tears he’d shed weren’t for Riley or even for himself, but for her, and they still fell from his eyes now as his subordinates watched. It was a weakness he’d never shown them before, not once in ten years.

He looked at the two men still standing near the door and, for perhaps the first time since this whole nightmare started over a decade ago, Spike connected with them. Not as a general connects with his lieutenants, but as a man connects with his friends – as brothers in arms, fighting in life and death battles every day, would connect. Somehow, that brief moment of showing his raw heart to them had opened a bond between the allies on a level so deep that it frightened Spike a bit.

“We’ll get them outta here, man,” Oz assured him as he and Xander began clearing away the pieces of splintered door.

“Yeah – the kid’ll be ok. We’ll figure something out,” Xander agreed.



Spike nodded and slid his stake back into the scabbard on his hip, taking a deep breath and trying to compose himself.

“‘Preciate it,” he offered sincerely as he headed out of the room. Ironically, he actually felt like he wasn’t completely alone any longer – but Buffy had paid a heavy price for that revelation, for that new connection. Her pain and the look of wild terror that had been in her eyes had cut him to the core. He had to get her out of here, get her and Annie back home. This was one mission he couldn’t screw up, one promise he had to keep, no matter the cost.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Roxy Music, Jealous Guy  on YouTube  }}

I was dreaming of the past and my heart was beating fast
I began to lose control
I began to lose control
I didn't mean to hurt you
I'm sorry that I made you cry
I didn't mean to hurt you
I'm just a jealous guy

I was feeling insecure you might not love me anymore
I was shiverin' inside
I was shiverin' inside
I didn't mean to hurt you
I'm sorry that I made you cry
I didn't want to hurt you
I'm just a jealous guy

I was tryin’ to catch your eye
I thought you was tryin' to hide
I was swallowin’ my pain
I was swallowin’ my pain
I didn't mean to hurt you
I'm sorry that I made you cry
I didn't mean to hurt you
I'm just a jealous guy
End Notes:
TBC ... Can Spike and the others find a way to get Buffy and Annie back to 'civilization' so Buffy can get her to a 'proper doctor'? We'll find out next.
Stairway to Heaven by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike and the others endeavor to build Buffy and Annie a stairway to heaven in order to send them home. Will they be able to get past the Reds, the Turok-Han, and the bats? Will anyone double-cross them and take the opportunity to escape themselves?
**
The angst starts to ramp up a bit here, but we're still not to the crux of it yet ...
**
Thanks to u2fan2005 and epd4 for their suggestions, corrections, and help betaing this chapter. And giant thanks to Anona for her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Final thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011, Gift-less Dimension, in the Initiative / Base Camp:

Buffy ripped at her torn and tattered clothes frantically, pulling them off her body in anger and frustration and tossing them to the floor of the shower as hot water pounded down on her from above. She felt dirty … filthy. She could still feel Riley’s hands on her; feel his body pressing against her, as she shed the last vestige of his attack by dropping her shredded underwear to the floor. She scrubbed her skin violently with the only soap in the showers – a lavender and jasmine blend. The aroma, which should be luscious and relaxing, only infuriated her more. She needed something to get this feeling off her – she needed … bleach or … lye soap! That’s what she needed! Lye soap!



Buffy began to sob again as she scrubbed her skin raw with her fingernails, not even noticing the pain of her bruises, cuts, and welts as she tried to wash even them away. But they refused to leave her body, just as the feeling of being dirty refused to leave her. She had to get it off … get that feeling of being a victim off, the feeling of being violated off, of being a cheating slut off. She scrubbed and scrubbed her skin, her hair, her whole body until she bled, until she’d used the whole bar of soap and the water ran cold, and she still couldn’t get it off.

Finally, as the cold water continued to rain down on her, she dropped down onto the tile floor of the shower and curled into a ball and sobbed uncontrollably. What Riley had done was bad enough, but what she had done with him and his Spike in her dreams … that made it even worse. How could she have not known that those were more than just crazy dreams? How could she have not seen or felt that they were bond dreams?  How could she have done that to Spike?

“God, Spike … I’m so sorry,” Buffy cried to the empty room as her sobs continued unchecked. She had a pain in her chest that she was sure was Spike’s soul being torn to shreds. “So sorry … Spike … sorry…” she muttered between deep, shuddering breaths.

“Buffy?” Tara called from around the corner, in the dressing area of the large locker room that had at one time served the Initiative soldiers. “I’ve got you some clothes.”

But Buffy didn’t even hear her, all she could hear were Riley’s gloating, stabbing words, ‘You need to see who’s really fucking you this time – Riley Finn! Say it! Riley! Say it!’ All Buffy could see were his glowing, red eyes as he held her down. His hands seemed to be everywhere at once – too strong for her to fight; then his knee was against her thigh, bruising, pushing her legs apart.

Buffy jumped when Tara touched her shoulder, her eyes flashed with fear as she instinctively lurched away from the intrusion. Buffy hadn’t heard her enter the shower area, hadn’t even noticed that Tara had turned the cold water off.

“It’s ok, Buffy … here.” Tara wrapped the Slayer in a towel.

Buffy took some deep breaths as she let the other woman put the towel around her, only then realizing that she was freezing from the cold tiles and water. “Thanks,” she muttered as she held the terry cloth around her bruised, bleeding, and battered body.


Tara gave her a crooked, comforting smile and Buffy caught a glimpse the girl she used to be – the caring woman and loving mother that she’d grown into back home, through the wall of hardness she’d built.



“Did he…” Tara began, then paused and let out a breath. “Did he …I mean …ummm … do you need any stitches or … anything?”

Buffy closed her eyes and shook her head. What she needed was lye soap; she doubted they had any. She didn’t ask.

“I’ve got you some clothes. C’mon – I’ll help you up,” Tara offered, standing up and reaching a hand out towards Buffy.

“Thanks,” Buffy muttered again as she accepted the witch’s help and got to her feet.

“It wasn’t your fault, you know,” Tara assured her as they walked back to the changing room.

Buffy let out a derisive snort but didn’t say anything. She couldn’t help but think if she’d just stopped those dreams, none of this would’ve happened – she wouldn’t need that lye soap right now.

“Buffy, it wasn’t your fault,” Tara repeated more adamantly as they walked.

“You don’t know what I did,” Buffy told her, her voice hoarse and barely above a whisper as she sat down to pull on the clothes that Tara brought.

“It doesn’t matter what you did. What do you think, you were asking for it? That’s not true and that’s not the Buffy I used to know.”

Buffy snorted again. “I provoked a soulless vampire into thinking I was gonna steal his lover – his sire. I didn’t mean to do it … didn’t even realize I was doing it, but I did. What exactly do you think would happen in that scenario?”

Tara sighed heavily as she handed Buffy a white, ribbed undershirt; she didn’t have any bras that would fit Buffy. “Spike’s always been able to keep Riley under control – he may have been a soulless monster, but he knew right from wrong.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Yeah, that’s the thing with monsters: they may know right from wrong, but they just don’t care. If they’re threatened, they lash out. I threatened him.”

“So, this is all your fault, then? You’re the one to blame?” Tara shook her head. “I don’t think so.”

Buffy slid the white undershirt on and then pulled a t-shirt over it and wrapped her arms around her torso. “I feel so dirty … inside,” Buffy admitted, closing her eyes to hold the flood back. “If Spike hadn’t come in…” Buffy shuddered and shook her head as images of the struggle flashed in her mind like a nightmarish slide-show.



“You aren’t the one that’s dirty, Buffy. The dirt’s scattered on the floor in there,” Tara assured her again.

Buffy nodded, but remained unconvinced. She should’ve been able to tell those weren’t just regular old dreams. She definitely should’ve been able to tell one of her dream-lovers was Riley … regardless of the fact that he looked and talked and … did nearly everything, like Spike.

“Ok,” Tara’s voice hardened again, back to the business of survival. “You need to put it aside now, your daughter needs you strong. We’ll find a way to get you home; you have to be ready to go. You can’t afford to be weepy and weak dwelling on something that’s passed and can’t be changed.”

Buffy met her eyes and nodded resolutely. “I’ll be ready.”

**~**

Back in Annie’s room, Buffy sat down in the chair that had been put back next to the head of her daughter’s bed. Buffy brushed back her girl’s hair and laid a palm on her forehead. She was cooler than she’d been before the ice bath, but still feverish.

That had been an experience Buffy never wanted to have again; dunking her semi-conscious, fevered daughter into a tub of ice water. Annie had first screamed as the cold water hit her burning skin, then she began to shake and shiver uncontrollably as she fought against Buffy to get out of the freezing water. Annie losing consciousness again had been a blessing; Buffy hated blessings like that. It was the most painful thing Buffy had ever experienced – even including Riley and the Council’s dungeon. She felt like she was torturing her own child and it threatened to rip her heart out of her chest. No matter that she knew it had to be done in order to save her, it still felt like she was the monster.

Buffy pulled the covers back and looked at the wounds on Annie’s legs. Andrew was doing all he could to keep them cleaned, but greenish pus still oozed freely from the large, angry gashes. There were red streaks running up across her hipbone and down past her knee where the infection was spreading to the rest of her body. The girl’s lean, muscular quadriceps were inflamed, bright red atop the dark bruising, and swollen grotesquely, at least twice their normal size. The swelling was stretching the stitches and some had ripped free of her flesh, opening the wounds up.

Fear gripped Buffy’s heart anew – Annie wasn’t going to make it – she could feel it in her bones. Their beautiful, smart, and funny girl was going to die in this godforsaken dimension just like so many of Buffy’s friends had … just like her counterpart had. And there was nothing she could do about it. The Slayer was helpless. That had been going around lately, and Buffy didn’t like it. Not one bit.

Buffy covered Annie back up and dropped a kiss on her daughter’s fevered brow before heading into the hallway. She needed to find Spike, find out what was being done, light a fire under someone’s ass. She needed to get Annie home.

It didn’t take long for her to find the blond vamp, she heard his voice before she saw him and turned and walked toward it. He was only a couple of doors down: in Dawn’s room. Buffy paused at the side of the door to listen and see who else was in there before going in. Spike was still talking …

“ … couldn’t protect ‘er … let her down again, I did,” he was saying, his words coming slowly, his voice sounding very tired. “Says she can fix it, Niblett.” Spike snorted softly. “Won’t be nothing to fix when I’m done. Seems all I’m good at is bollixing up ‘er life. I love her so bloody much and all I can do is hurt ‘er.

“I swear I’ll get ‘er and the Platelet home. When the nasties realize we’ve opened a bloody portal … we’ll be done for. There’ll be no one left t’ keep you safe, then.

“I swear I did m’ best, Dawn. When you see big sis, you tell her I did m’ best, yeah? Tell ‘er I’m so bloody sorry.”




Buffy furrowed her brow – that sounded like …

Buffy stepped into the room and saw Spike pick up a pillow and lay it over Dawn’s face. He didn’t even realize she was there as all his attention was on the comatose girl.

“What the hell are you doing, Spike?” Buffy demanded as she moved swiftly up to the other side of the bed and pulled the pillow away.

Spike looked shocked for a moment, then just shook his head. “Best this way, Slayer. When we’re gone, won’t have anyone to protect ‘er … this is best. No pain … just pass on. She can be safe – big sis’ll keep her safe.”

“And just where are you going?”

“Going t’ get you ‘ome – like I promised. Most likely won’t make it back from that mission, Slayer. Gotta take care o’ this now. Can’t leave ‘er here on 'er own,” Spike explained his logic to her.

“Ok, that’s not gonna happen. We still have four strong fighters and me, so just put the suicide mission out of your mind,” Buffy argued.



“You don’t know, Slayer – you’ve only gotten a small taste o’ what we’ll face,” Spike contended. “When the beasties realize there’s a portal open to another dimension full o’ juicy treats, they’ll flood us. Reds, Uglies, bats … and every other bloody demon within five miles’ll be there – we’ll be overrun. This is a suicide mission – we all know it, you should too.”

“No! There has to be another way,” Buffy insisted.

Spike shook his head. “It’s our gift to you. Go home. Save the girl, love your mate, hug your friends, be happy. Put this place outta your mind – don’t ever look back, don’t ever come back; we won’t be ‘ere.”

Buffy felt icy fingers wrap around her heart and throat; she suddenly couldn’t breathe. She shook her head in denial as tears streamed down her face again. “No … I … I don’t want…”

“No matter what you want, Slayer. Not up to you. This is what we’re givin’ – it’s all settled. You forgot – you’re not in charge ‘ere; I am,” Spike informed her sternly as he pulled the pillow out of her hands.


“Spike … no! You can’t do this! You can’t … your soul! Think what it will do to your soul!” Buffy argued, trying to wrest the pillow away from him.

“Got no soul, Slayer – only ever had you,” he insisted as he pulled away from her and backed up a step so she couldn’t reach the pillow from across the bed.



“That’s not true, Spike. William’s still in there – he’s always been there, deep down. Can’t you feel him? Don’t you know what it would do to him if you …” Buffy let her voice trail off as she looked down at Dawn, who hadn’t moved or even twitched.

Spike furrowed his brow and looked at her with a mixture of wonder and confusion. How could she know that he still sometimes felt like William? Still loved with his whole heart like William had? Still fought the ponce back at times … times like this?

“Spike, I know you. Your Buffy didn’t … not yet, not really, but I do. I know the man behind the mask, and a part of William’s soul is still in there. He wouldn’t want you to do this,” Buffy explained softly.

“Yeah, well … as usual, the ponce is wrong. This is best for the Niblett. I promised to keep her safe – that means more than just keeping her body alive, it means knowin’ when t’ let go, and this is the time.

“Won’t be safe here when I’m gone. Can’t let her be found by the Reds … or the Turok-Han. Any idea what they’d do t’ her? Any idea what that blood o’ hers tastes like to a demon? Sweet as Slayer blood, it is, with a bloody kick o’ ancient energy even older than a Slayer.” Spike shook his head. “Can’t take the chance, Buffy. Please don’t make this any harder than it already is.”

“Spike, I can’t … I can’t let you do this.” Buffy stood fast. There was no guarantee that he wouldn’t make it, that his team wouldn’t make it … there was no guarantee of anything in this place.

Just then, Oz appeared in the doorway. “We’re ready, man.”

Spike stared at Buffy across the bed, still holding the pillow in his hands. She had no idea what she was doing. She had no idea what would happen if the monsters got in here, and with the fighters gone, it would only be a matter of time before that happened. But he could see in her eyes, in the set of her jaw; she wasn’t going to allow him to do what needed to be done.

Finally, Spike nodded and set the pillow down. “Be right there,” he acknowledged Oz without looking at him.


“You stay ‘ere,” Spike informed Buffy as he turned to go. “When we get your stairway t’ heaven in place, someone’ll come back t’ get you and the Platelet. If ya need blood drawn, get the little poofter t’ do it … he knows how. Be about an hour or two if all goes according t’ Hoyle. Be ready.”



And with that he was gone, down the hall behind Oz and towards the exit, the blessed sword resting in its scabbard on his back, leaving Buffy standing alone in Dawn’s room. She sighed heavily and looked at the girl who appeared to be sleeping. She hoped she’d done the right thing by stopping him. Buffy sent a silent prayer to anyone that would listen to keep Spike and his team safe – so they could keep Dawn safe. She didn’t know what they were doing to build this ‘stairway to heaven’ for her and Annie, but she knew it would be important for her to get up it and get through the portal as fast as she could. The less time it stayed open, the fewer demons it would attract, and the better the chances of everyone surviving.

“Don’t worry, Dawn – I swear I can fix it,” she whispered to the unmoving figure in the bed before heading out to find Andrew to get some Key blood drawn so they would be ready when it was time to go.

**~**

“You go on ahead, I’ll catch up,” Spike told Oz after they rounded a corner and were out of view of Dawn’s room.

Oz looked at him and then down the hallway they’d just come from. The wolf nodded his understanding and kept going. Spike circled around and waited for Buffy to leave Dawn’s room and go back into Annie’s. When the coast was clear, he went back, moving with vampire stealth and speed.

He leaned over Dawn and pressed a kiss against her forehead. “I love you, Niblett. So, bloody sorry. Don’t forget to tell Buffy, I …” tears stung his eyes and his throat closed up. Spike closed his eyes and clenched his jaw until the muscles in his cheek twitched. The tendons in his neck stood out against his alabaster skin, taut as piano wires. His Adam’s apple bobbed as he swallowed back the bile that rose in his throat.

It wasn’t like he hadn’t done this and worse … much worse, to girls Dawn’s age in the past.

Spike’s hands trembled as he gripped the pillow like a drowning man would grip a life preserver. With every ounce of resolve and courage he had in him, Spike pressed the pillow down over the comatose girl’s face.

William was fighting him.

William would lose.

Two and half hours later…

“Hey,” Oz called as he touched Buffy’s arm, waking her from a restless sleep as she sat in the chair next to Annie’s bed.

“Are they ready? When do we go?” she asked, snapping awake immediately.

“Pretty much now,” Oz replied as he started uncovering Annie. Andrew had donated a set of his own sweat pants and a sweat shirt, and Buffy had gotten Annie dressed in them while she was waiting.

Buffy picked up the vials of blood Andrew had drawn, then pulled her scythe from under the bed and handed the weapon to Oz.

“I can’t carry her and it,” she explained when he looked at her quizzically.


“I can’t carry it if I have to wolf-out,” Oz explained.


“If you have to wolf-out, I’m thinking I’ll need it back.”

Oz shrugged and shifted it to his left hand as he reached under the bed and pulled out the scroll that held the key to decoding the secret to the Gem of Amarra.

“Spike said you should take this with you,” Oz explained when Buffy looked at him questioningly.



“But … he’ll … you guys will need it to create the Gem,” Buffy tried to argue.

“I’m thinking, not so much,” Oz stated flatly and shrugged one shoulder nonchalantly. “Do you need help getting her?” he offered, looking at Annie.

“No, I can get her … but, Oz, Tara can use the scroll to find the key and create a Gem for Spike. Does he know it’ll make him invincible? He can protect everyone better if he has it,” Buffy explained in earnest.

“Pretty sure he knows. We need to get going,” Oz told her before turning and starting out of the room, taking the scroll and the scythe with him.

Buffy sighed heavily. It was hard to argue with someone who wouldn’t argue.

Frowning, she tucked the two vials of Annie’s blood into the back pocket of her jeans. Buffy picked Annie up as gently as she could and followed Oz down the hallway towards the sewers.

**~**

They emerged from the sewers on the opposite side of the warehouse from where Glory’s tower had been. Oz helped Buffy get the unconscious Annie up through the manhole, as he kept a close eye on the sky and streets around them for demons. The activity of the last couple of hours had drawn some attention, as everyone knew it would. He and Spike had done their best to dust any vamps or bats that came near to keep them from leaving and returning with reinforcements, but some had escaped and the noise they had made getting the stairway in place was sure to attract even more.




While the two demons guarded the perimeter, Xander and Tara worked on moving the large crane that held the wrecking ball. Tara used magic to turn it and move it forward enough to use the long steel arm as a stairway over the bug pit as Xander directed her and showed her where to position it. She could only move it a small bit at a time, just a few inches, it was so heavy and seemed almost rooted, or perhaps rusted, in place after so many years. She had finally gotten it set where Xander wanted it and then had magically bent the jib down so it was about twenty feet above ground level and sticking out over Bob’s deep sand trap.

While they worked, the ‘demon-lion’ bug stayed hidden at the bottom of his trap, waiting patiently for a demon to fall in, as it had done for many years. Demons always fell in, it seemed – a few every week, either out of carelessness or ignorance or arrogance. Few ever escaped. Bob waited; time was on his side.

Tara was exhausted from her magical exertion, but refused to go back to base. She knew the demons would be coming – if for no other reason than curiosity. There was no way every demon within a three-mile radius hadn’t heard the equipment’s metal track scraping across the concrete. If they missed that, then the jib bending, which screeched like a thousand rusty cemetery gates being forced to move at once, would’ve certainly drawn their attention.

Tara pointed out that when that portal opened, they would need all the help they could get to keep the Reds and the Turok-Han from climbing the ‘stairway’ and following Buffy and Annie. What was going to be harder was keeping the bats from simply flying through it; in fact, she wasn’t sure how Spike planned to keep that from happening. Tara was hopeful that, when the time came, she’d have enough magic left to break the equipment’s arm and drop it down into the bug pit, cutting off any chance for the land-based demons to follow the Slayer.

Oz, carrying the scythe and the scroll, and Buffy, who was carrying Annie, made their way along the side of the warehouse, keeping close to the wall. Oz stayed behind her, keeping an eye out for possible attacks from the ground and the air as they made their way to ‘ground zero’. Just as they were about to get to the end of the warehouse to make the turn around the building, Buffy heard the unmistakable sound of bat wings flapping behind them.

“Run!” Oz shouted at her, knowing the bat couldn’t make the sharp turn at the corner of the building.

Buffy ran.

She turned the corner and stopped to look back just in time to see Oz use the stake-end of the scythe to dust the large demon-bat that had targeted them. It exploded instantly and covered him in a layer of sooty-dust, which he shook out of his hair and off his clothes like a dog shaking water out of his coat after a swim.

When he caught up to her, he held the scythe up and simply said, “Neat.”

Buffy had to laugh despite everything. Oz was the master of understatement.

“Right, then,” came from behind them and Buffy turned to see Spike, Xander, and Tara standing under the loading dock roof of the warehouse. They were near the ‘Buffy Memorial’ that she and Annie had found that first day; she hoped that wasn’t some kind of omen.

“You ready?” he asked as Buffy and Oz walked towards the group.

“Born ready,” Buffy assured him. “But you need to keep this scroll – you’ll need it. Having the Gem will…”



“Scroll goes with ya – belongs to the little bit there. She paid a 'eavy price for it,” Spike insisted, shooting Buffy a look that dared her to argue with him.

Buffy sighed, shifting Annie’s weight in her arms. “I’ll bring it back then.”

“Nooooo … you will not. You are not comin’ back ‘ere, Slayer. Do as I say – go ‘ome. Stay there. There won’t be anyone left t’ come back for,” Spike informed her again.

“Spiiike …” Buffy moaned, but he just shook his head adamantly.

Buffy looked at the others, meeting their eyes one at a time. She could see in their grim and determined faces that they also believed this would be their final battle. Buffy’s chin began to quiver and she shook her head. “No … there must be another way.”



“This is the only way, Slayer. Now, we need t’ move – won’t have long ‘fore the place is overrun. Here’s the plan: you and I are gonna go up the stairway. Harris, Glinda, and wolf-boy will stay down here – try to keep the demons from climbing up after us. I’ll keep the bats off ya and any nasties that get by the others away while you open the portal and jump through. I’ll try t’ keep the bats from flying through – can you control how big you make the portal?

Buffy shrugged. “I can try, maybe with less blood,” Buffy offered.

Spike nodded. “Try t’ keep it just big enough for the two a’ you. Once you’re through, Glinda will break the jib, drop the stairway ‘t keep the hordes from followin’.”


Buffy’s brows furrowed. “Drop the … but you’ll be on it!” Buffy realized.

Spike ignored her. “Right then, everyone ready?” Spike asked, looking at his crew.

Spike’s people nodded.



“No!” Buffy exclaimed. “Bad plan! Horrible plan! Your worst plan ever, Spike!”

“Right, then,” Spike continued, as if she hadn’t spoken. “'ere we go.”

Everyone started for the crane, except Buffy who stood still, holding Annie and staring after them. “No!” she called again, but they just kept walking.

“Fucking stubborn vampire…” she muttered under her breath as she stood her ground, stomping one foot down petulantly.

“I heard that!” Spike called over his shoulder. “If you want t’ go home, you need to c’mon now – the Reds are comin’ … I can smell them.”

Buffy sighed, stomped her foot again, and looked down at her daughter. Annie’s body was hot against Buffy’s chest as she held her in her arms, her skin was damp and pale; she had to get her some real medicine, get her to a real hospital. She had no choice. She had told Spike when she first arrived that she’d choose her daughter over him or anyone that got in her way – now those words were coming to fruition. These people were giving everything for her and Annie.

“Goddamnit,” Buffy moaned, looking up at the sky a moment as she tried to come up with a different plan. She had nothing. She sighed in resignation and started after the small group of kamikazes.

Buffy hurried to catch up with them. Spike was already up on the tall fender of the crane waiting for her. It pissed her off to know that he knew she would be there, that her objections wouldn’t last. But, of course, he somehow always seemed to know her true heart even before she did. Spike reached down with one hand and pulled Oz up onto the fender, taking the scroll from his hand and tucking it into the waistband of his jeans at his back, then together they gently lifted Annie up from Buffy’s arms. Xander and Tara gave Buffy a boost up while Spike caught her hand and pulled, lifting her up next to him as Oz held the unconscious girl.

“Right, then,” Spike began, taking Annie from Oz. “Gonna have to fireman’s carry her up. You know how t’ do that?” he asked Buffy.

Buffy rolled her eyes and tilted her head to the right, offering him her left shoulder to set Annie across as she held her left arm out. Spike set Annie across Buffy’s shoulder and Buffy secured the girl’s legs against her body with her left arm. Annie moaned from the pressure against her wounds and Buffy could feel the puss seeping through the material of Annie’s sweatpants and dampening her own shirt. Thankfully, the girl didn’t wake up.

An announcement of, “Showtime,” came from Xander on the ground below them. Buffy looked up to see what appeared to be an army of the tall, thin vampires approaching from the side of the warehouse where she and Oz had just come from. Their red eyes glowed like dancing flames of pure evil. The sight made Buffy shudder and a hard lump formed in her throat. She looked one more time at her three friends that would be the first line of defense against the evil horde and swallowed hard. Unable to even say ‘thank you’ or ‘goodbye’ past her heart, which was lodged in her throat, she turned and started climbing up the arm of the crane.



She could hear Oz growl as he wolfed out and the scythe clattered against the heavy metal fender, then to the ground below. She didn’t look back; she just climbed as quickly as she could while carrying Annie on her shoulder. She heard Spike unsheathe his sword right behind her and suddenly the air was full of the sounds of battle. She could hear Tara casting spells and, in her peripheral vision, saw bursts of flames ignite some of the vampires, but still the others continued to close in on the fighters. Buffy heard cross-bows fire and hit their marks, the unmistakable sound of vampires exploding into dust confirming the deadly accuracy of the warriors. Then there was the sound of stun guns; they sounded like big bug-zappers as they sent bolts of electricity through the vamps, incapacitating them. The stench of burning flesh wafted up from below and bile threatened Buffy’s throat. She clenched her jaw in determination, swallowed back her fear and nausea, and continued to climb.

Xander’s axe whistled as it whipped through the air towards the necks of the vamps and she heard the crunching of bone and more dusty explosions. Demons and humans alike screamed out in pain below her, but she dared not look back. Buffy pushed forward, up the arm of the crane and out over the deadly demon-bug pit towards the portal.

Then came the air attack. Spike screamed at her to duck and Buffy dropped down against the cold metal of the jib as he rose up and sliced his sword through the neck of the first bat. Dark, black soot rained down on them – it seemed like someone had dumped a bulldozer full of the dry grit atop the warriors. Buffy coughed the dust from her lungs and started moving again, up higher and out further over the deep pit, but Spike wasn’t behind her any longer.


She turned her head and looked back. He was fighting off three of the tall, glowing-eyed vampires that had gotten by the defenders on the ground. Just as Buffy turned back and started moving again, she heard the wings of another bat closing in on her fast. She had no weapon – she couldn’t have carried the scythe even if she’d wanted to. All she had were her fists, and one of those was otherwise engaged holding Annie over her shoulder. There was no way to put Annie down – the arm of the crane was like a large open ladder – there was no solid spot on which she could lay her daughter and not risk her falling into the pit below.

“Spike!” she screamed as the bat approached and she again flattened her body against the bars of the jib, trying to make herself as small as possible.

She felt the wind from the bat’s wings as it swooped at her, talons grasping at its prey. Panic stabbed her gut as Buffy felt Annie being pulled away from her by the bat. Buffy let go of the crane and held to her daughter’s legs with both hands to keep the bat from yanking her from her grasp and carrying the girl off. But the bat was so large and strong that it started to lift them both off the jib when Buffy did that.


Buffy wrapped her legs around one of the uprights of the crane’s arm and for a moment there was a tug-of-war between her and the bat over her daughter. Buffy’s upper body was pulled up and over the edge of the jib, along with Annie, as the bat tried to fly away with both of them. Buffy’s legs were straining, trying to hold onto the crane; her arms ached as they tried to keep a hold of Annie’s legs. Buffy was deathly afraid that her daughter would actually be torn in half as she struggled against the giant bat.

“SPIKE!” she screamed again just as all the pressure from the bat was released. She heard the bat’s high-pitched squeal of pain and then she and Annie were sprayed with a geyser of blood as the bat’s legs were severed from its body.

Suddenly released, Buffy and Annie dropped over the edge of the jib. Buffy’s legs were wrapped around the crane, her arms wrapped around her daughter. Buffy and Annie dangled off the ladder; they hung, swaying precariously upside-down over Bob’s pit. If the fall didn’t kill them, the large monster that waited below certainly would.

Buffy couldn’t help but think they must look like they were an insane trapeze act in the circus. Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages! Buffy could hear a sideshow hawker calling in her mind. Don’t miss ‘The Wacky Weckerlys’ Death Defying Shenanigans!’ Three shows a day!



Then Buffy flashed back to her fight with Glory on the fire escape of the Hyperion. She had barely been able to get Annie back up to Spike as Glory pulled and tugged and struggled to get them all to fall to the ground. She could almost feel herself falling now – just as she did then when she released Spike’s hand that fateful night. It seemed to take forever to reach the ground. She could see Spike’s face as she fell … it was odd how many things can race through your mind in just a few short seconds. Then everything was gone. Black. Silent.

Just as she thought history would repeat itself, Spike was there, pulling her and Annie back onto the relative safety of the crane’s arm, even as he continued scanning the sky for more attacks. He crouched over them protectively, scanning the sky for more attacks. He balanced effortlessly on the thin steel girders of the jib, his sword held at the ready in one hand and his other hand resting lightly, reassuringly, on Buffy’s back. Buffy tried to get air back in her lungs and calm her racing heart as she got Annie repositioned onto her shoulder.

“Not far now, Slayer … c’mon, then – keep movin’, almost ‘ome,” he encouraged her.



Buffy took several deep breaths and nodded slightly as she began moving again. She could see the center of the pit below her now – he was right, it wasn’t far. Just a few more feet.


There was only a slight angle to the ‘ladder’ here. It was almost level as it jutted out over the deep demon bug pit. Spike stood up on the metal arm of the crane as Buffy started crawling again. He scanned the sky for what he knew would be coming any minute – an uncivilized colony of bats.

A loud roar below him drew his attention and he saw Oz being overrun by the swarms of Reds, and now some Turok-Han had joined in the fray, as well. The only plus was that the two warring factions were also fighting against each other.

He suddenly feared that Buffy wouldn’t have enough time to get out. His heart lurched in his chest and his stomach quivered with fear. Not again, not again. He could not fail again. Spike clenched his jaw and dug deeper than he even knew he could. He struggled to push thoughts of failure, and the memory of being defeated in this very spot ten years ago, from his mind. He would get the Slayer and the Platelet out. He would not fail her this time.

Down below, Spike saw Xander and Tara laying in pools of their own blood at the base of the crane. The two humans' eyes were staring unseeing up at the grey, smoke-filled sky above – they were both dead. Spike swore under his breath; Glinda wouldn’t be able to break the jib. He’d have to hope the weight of the vamps would be enough to at least continue bending it where Tara had weakened it to get it to the right height for the portal.

Then Spike saw several Turok-Han overwhelm Oz and throw him into the bug pit. That made Spike the last defense now; Buffy’s only defense. Oz struggled to climb up the sandy walls of the trap, but he was weakened and injured and he simply kept sliding down with the calving sand towards the bottom.

Buffy saw him too and she watched in horror as the large demon-killer emerged from under his sandy hiding place and pounced on the werewolf. Oz roared in anger and pain as the demon-bug sunk his pincer into the wolf’s flesh and dragged its struggling prey under the sand.

“NO! Oz!” Buffy yelled down, frozen in place above him. Helpless. It was ridiculous, she knew – fruitless, completely in vain, but it was all she could do – scream his name, even as she knew he was dying … perhaps already dead. “Oz!!!”

“Go, Slayer! Now!” Spike screamed at her pulling her out of her horrified daze.

Buffy looked up at him, on her hands and knees, holding tightly with one hand to the girders below her and to her daughter with the other. He was still standing up on the precarious jib as if they weren’t high above a demon-eating lion’s den … as if it was the most natural thing in the world to be doing.


Spike wasn’t looking at her, though. He was moving away, back down the arm towards the oncoming horde. Buffy looked past him and her heart fell. The vampire armies were swarming now – climbing the jib. They could literally smell victory over the vamp that had been a painful thorn in their side since they’d come to this dimension. And beyond them, down on the ground below, she could see Xander and Tara lying still and unmoving. Vamps trampled over their prone bodies on their way up onto the crane as if they were nothing more than garbage in their path. Pain, horror, and despair clenched around Buffy’s heart like the fist of one of the demons, and threatened to overwhelm her. Spike had been right – they were all going to die helping her ... in fact, most of them already had.



Buffy steeled her resolve, trying to keep her breathing and her hands steady as she reached into her back pocket and pulled one of the vials of blood out. She held tightly to Annie with one hand and balanced just on her knees on the hard steel beams. This proved to be no easy feat because the jib was lurching erratically as the vamps climbed up from below. Then she heard something that sounded like … a tornado or a freight train. She looked up to see bats. Hundreds of bats. So many bats that the dark, smoky sky was blotted out by them.

“Oh my God,” she cried involuntarily as she struggled to get the plug out of the vial with shaking fingers while balancing herself on the jib and Annie on her shoulder. Just as she got the plug out, the jib began to sway even more, like a thin reed whipping in a gale. Then it began to jump and bob in the air as if it was alive and was trying to buck them off. She looked down and saw Spike fighting the approaching mob of vamps. They were trying to knock him off-balance by purposely moving the crane’s arm, shaking it with their strong arms and legs as they climbed up swiftly. They pulled up easily, hand over hand like lithe monkeys, despite their gangly arms and legs.

“Oh God, oh God…” Buffy continued to mutter under her breath as she struggled to keep her balance, keep Annie balanced over her shoulder, and spread the blood over where she hoped the portal was below her.

The movement of her perch sent the blood spraying far and wide below her – more coming out than she’d intended. She held her breath for a moment, thinking that her memory of where the portal exactly was had been wrong when nothing happened. She dropped the empty vial and held onto the vibrating structure below her to keep her balance as she waited and prayed. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, but was certainly only a few seconds, the bright light of the portal began to spread open below her.

“Spike!” Buffy cried as the portal opened and the bats approached like a never-ending squadron of German blitz bombers over London. “Come with us!”

Spike caught the light of the portal from the corner of his eye and began to back up towards her, still fighting and dusting the Reds as he backed up. How he kept his balance on the swaying bridge, kept his feet on the thin girders without even looking at them, and continued to fight at the same time, Buffy couldn’t imagine. But the odds were, as Spike predicted, overwhelming. Sooner or later, he would tire, falter. Sooner or later the Reds would have their one good day and take Big Bad out.

“Go!” Spike commanded her. “Jump!”

“Only if you come with me!” Buffy insisted.

“Not comin’! Jump you stubborn bint!” Spike screamed at her. Truth be told, he didn’t trust himself to go with her, as much as he wanted to. She wasn’t his, she’d never be his. All he could do now was get her back to her husband, her family and friends, and let that be enough. It would have to be enough; it was all he had.

“Damnit, Spike! Come with me!” she continued to argue.

Spike knew she needed to go, like now. He rolled his eyes and nodded in resignation, there was no time to argue with her further. “Be right behind you.”

Buffy took a deep breath as if preparing to jump off a high dive, which she felt like she was. But there was no water to fall into. She knew she couldn’t miss the portal; it was right below them only about eight feet. But how far would she fall after she went through it? What would she land on? She pulled Annie down off her shoulder and stood up unsteadily on the swaying arm of the crane, holding her daughter against her front tightly, straight up and down.


She looked at Spike one more time. “GO!” he screamed at her as he slashed his sword at the neck of another Red. He could hear the bats, they were very near now. He could actually feel their sonar bouncing off his skin there were so many of them. “I’ll be right behind ya!” he assured her again.

“No! Now!” Buffy insisted. She dropped one hand off Annie, and grabbed onto Spike’s duster-clad arm, then took one last breath and let herself fall backwards off the jib like she was taking the Nestea plunge. She held Annie tightly against her front so that the girl would be shielded as much as possible from the impact on the other side, and held to Spike with the other, pulling him with her.



“Bloody hell!” Spike swore as he quickly shrugged out of his duster, switching his sword to his right hand, trying to keep his balance on the arm of the crane and keep the Reds back at the same time. Spike wavered a moment when his duster caught on one shoulder, then it gave way and fell with Buffy and Annie into the portal. He put his arms out like a tight-rope walker to re-balance himself, then swung his sword at the next challenger in the long line of demons that were making their way up towards him.

And then there were bats. Spike swung wildly, wishing the soddin’ portal would close already as he turned three hundred and sixty degrees.  His sword ripped into anything he could reach in an attempt to keep both the flying armada and the ground troops from breaching the portal and following the Slayer.

Portals are funny things – like magical bar doors from an old west saloon which swing in both directions. When Buffy and Annie fell into the portal in the parking lot of the Green Grocer, they dropped down from ground level into the pit that, in the Gift-less dimension, had been dug in that spot. Now they were falling down again through the portal, trying to get back up to ground level. If Buffy had thought about it, it was upside down. She should’ve been climbing up into the portal, not dropping down into it again from the other side. But the portal didn’t care, it was like David Bowie, it swung both ways.

The only problem with swinging doors, however, is that they can hit you in the ass if you don’t get out of the way quickly enough, and falling down to go up, well, that pretty much means you’re gonna get hit in the ass. Buffy felt like she was being flipped like a flapjack as she held tightly to Annie with one arm and the sleeve of Spike’s duster with the other, which she didn’t realize was no longer attached to Spike. It seemed to take longer going back than the first time through. She no longer knew which way was up as bright lights flashed in front of her eyes and wind whipped like a tornado around them.

The two were finally ejected from the portal, tossed several feet in the air, and dropped down on the asphalt of the parking lot of the Green Grocer a few feet away from the buggy corral. When the portal spit them out, it also flipped them over, and Buffy landed atop Annie instead of the other way around. Buffy quickly rolled off her daughter, who was face down on the pavement, and turned her over. Annie’s nose and mouth were both bleeding from the impact, but really, that was the least of her problems; those were minor injuries.

Buffy looked around for Spike – his duster lay beside her, but he wasn’t in it. “Spike!” she screamed across the parking lot, which was empty at this hour – three am. She scrambled back to the now rapidly-closing portal and just as she began to lean back down into it, the scroll came flying out of it, nearly hitting Buffy in the face as it was ejected just as Buffy and Annie had been.

“Damn it, Spike!” Buffy screamed as she leaned down through the shrinking hole in the world to find him. She felt like Alice in Wonderland. She was leaning down but actually had to look up to see him, which really made no sense whatsoever and spun her mind a bit. He was still fighting on the crane, battling both bats and Reds. Buffy could see some Turok-Han starting to make their way up the jib towards him too. He was keeping them all far enough away from the portal that they couldn’t jump into it, but the portal was closing and he was tiring.

“Spike! Jump!” Buffy screamed as she reached her hands up towards him and tried to keep the portal from closing any further.

Spike dared a look when he heard her voice below him. The portal was closing rapidly now – it was perhaps only about four feet across – too small for the bats to go through very easily. He knew it was only a matter of seconds now before it would be completely closed.

“Spike!” Buffy screamed again as the portal continued to close in on her. She knew it would be too late if he didn’t jump now.



She watched in horror as Spike stopped fighting and met her eyes with his. “I’ll always love you, Buffy. Don’t come back … there’s nothin' left for you 'ere,” he told her calmly, a look of resigned determination in his eyes. Spike gave her a small, sad smile, then dropped the arm holding his sword down aside his leg and leaned backwards. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as he tumbled off the jib, purposely missing the portal completely, and falling in a graceful swan dive down into the ‘demon-ant-lion’ pit far below.

“Nooooooo!” Buffy screamed as she watched him tumble down past her, too far away for her to reach, and into the waiting clutches of the giant demon-eating bug.

Buffy screamed his name as tears poured from her eyes. Her first instinct was to jump, as she'd done with Annie, and save him, help him – but she knew she couldn't leave Annie there alone. If I have to choose between you and our … my daughter, I’ll choose her every time, her own words to him that first night thundered painfully in her ears.

She watched, horrified, as Bob grabbed Spike around his waist and pulled the vamp under the sand like it had done Oz. The only difference was there was no struggle from the vampire. His mission was over; he’d done all he could to keep his promise to the Slayer. Dawn was safe with her sister now. Buffy and Annie were safe, back where they belonged. All his trusted allies were dead. His mission was complete – there was no more reason to stay. There was no one left to fight for.



With the portal closing dangerously around her, Buffy finally pulled away and fell backwards, overcome by exhaustion and heartbreak, onto the pavement in the parking lot. With hot, salty tears flooding down her face, a heavy heart, and the image of Spike being pulled under the sand tattooed onto her mind, Buffy scrambled back to her feet and hurried over to her daughter’s side. There was no one about in the parking lot – not a security guard or a policeman making their rounds or even a hooker with a john. The Blue Bomber was gone. Buffy prayed again that someone had found MacKenzie quickly and notified the police, and that the baby was alright. Buffy sobbed uncontrollably as she picked up the scroll, wrapped Annie in Spike’s duster, and lifted her up. Buffy cradled the fevered girl against her chest and began walking towards the road. There was a little traffic there – she could get help.


Buffy opened the bond with Spike … her Spike. She had to tell him she was back, get him here. She knew he must be franticly looking for them and she needed to see him – flesh and bone, walking, talking. She needed to feel his arms around her – she needed to know he wasn’t under the sand being devoured by a giant demon-bug.

The second she opened the bond, Buffy collapsed onto the pavement, dropping Annie and screaming in agony. Her flesh felt like it was being burnt off her bones with acid and she writhed in pain on the black asphalt. Her muscles pulled hard and taut as a bowstring as every nerve-ending in her body fired signals of excruciating pain to her brain.

Her mind seemed to explode with bright, white anguish as flashes of searing flames bombarded it. She thought she heard herself screaming, but honestly she wasn’t sure if that was her or something from very far away. Then, in self-defense, her mind shut down and everything went still and got very quiet.

She and Annie lay only a few feet from the sidewalk and the road beyond; only a few feet from help, but it might as well have been a hundred miles. The speeding cars couldn’t see the prone and lifeless figures in the dark at the edge of the deserted parking lot. The stairway to heaven had gotten them so close and yet left them so very far away.

**~**


{{  Click here to hear Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin  on YouTube  }}



There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misleading
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it makes me wonder

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking
and it makes me wonder
really makes me wonder

And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forest will echo with laughter

GUITAR SOLO

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean from the May Queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, Ooh, it makes me wonder

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady, can't you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind

GUITAR SOLO

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all is one and one is all, yeah
To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying the stairway to heaven
End Notes:
TBC ... We'll find out what made Buffy pass out after opening the bond with her Spike over the next two chapters. Coming up: the submarine / demon octopus mission. After that, we'll find out about MacKenzie and what else has been happening here over the last few days.
Octopussy by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Four days ago, while Buffy and Annie were checking out Slayer Olympic venues and shopping at the Green Grocer, Spike, Bess, and Angel were battling the giant octopus demon.
Poetic license: I have no idea if filling the pressure suits with pure helium will make them stand more pressure (I seriously doubt it would), I just wanted to hear them all talk like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Don’t try this at home. Inhaling helium (even from a balloon) can deprive your brain of oxygen and make you pass out or worse. Seriously, leave the stunts to the professionals.
**
Music Referenced: Octopussy Theme http://youtu.be/213t3YeQosE
Some Screencaps courtesy of Broken Innocence (others from ScreenCap Paradise which is, sadly, no more). http://broken-innocence.net/index2.html and also from BuffyWorld.com
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
  
Four Days Ago, Friday, April 15th, 2011, Unexpected Universe:


Spike felt like Buzz Aldrin as they got ready to lower him down into the churning, frigid waters of the Bering Sea. The suits they’d put him, Angel, and Bess in were like space suits. They were made to take the enormous pressure of the seawater at great depths, but they weren’t the most comfortable or maneuverable things in the world. This, among other things, worried him.




Earlier, when Spike pointed out that Angel hadn’t needed one of these contraptions back in the forties to reach the Nazi sub, Angel reminded him that that sub hadn’t been down nearly as deep as this one. It hadn’t been stuck on the bottom of the ocean – it had just been infested with demons.



“Just how much pressure can these take, then?” Spike had asked the swabbie that was helping him get into the contraption. The man was young – a boy really in Spike’s eyes, but all business in his crisp, dark-blue jumpsuit. The brunette, brown-eyed sailor was taller than Spike, well built, neither too thin nor overly muscled, and had the 'boy next door' good looks of someone from the midwestern corn-belt. The name on his lapel said ‘Brody’.

“Technically, they’re approved for 200 meters,” Brody told him matter-of-factly. “But they’ve been tested up to 900.”

Spike’s brows furrowed. “Just what is that in American, then?”

“About 3,000 feet.”

Now Spike’s brows shot up. “And how deep is the water ‘ere?" he asked, looking warily over the side of the ship.

The young man shrugged slightly, not taking his eyes off his task of securing the helmet to the suit. “About 5,000 feet.”

“Oh, that’s bloody brilliant,” Spike moaned, rolling his eyes.

“It’ll be fine,” Brody assured him, finally looking up and meeting Spike’s eyes through the helmet’s clear, front mask. “Those tests were with humans and a regular air mix … you don’t need to breathe, so we can fill the suits with pure helium.”

“Helium? Doesn’t that … float?” Spike pondered, his worry growing.



The young man shrugged again. “That’s what the extra counter-weights in your shoes are for.”

Spike tried to lift one foot. He could barely get it up off the deck. His worry grew. Then he had a new thought, “You’re telling me we’re gonna sound like the soddin’ Chipmunks down there fightin’ this thing … assuming we don’t implode?”

Brody suppressed a small smile, making him look more like a school-boy pulling a prank than a deepwater dive expert. He covered his amusement quickly, but not quickly enough to keep Spike from seeing, and then shrugged again. “You won’t implode,” he assured Spike as he snapped the last latch on the helmet and gave the thumbs-up to the crane operator.

“Bloody hell,” Spike groaned. Was it too late to change his mind about this? A compressed-air powered harpoon gun was placed in his hands and Spike gripped it through the bulky suit. The words ‘Stop! Let me go!’ echoed in his mind, but never made it through his lips. Don’t be a bloody ponce, he admonished himself. Suddenly, his feet left the deck as the crane lifted him up and swung him out over the frigid, choppy, and very deep water. Bess and Angel were already in the waves waiting for him. He sighed. Right then, let’s kick some demon ass.

Spike spent most of the very long descent to the bottom of the ocean ‘talking’ to Buffy through the bond. He decided it best to not mention the pressure suit being tested to 2,000 feet less than the depth they were going. He was extraordinarily glad that the helium in his suit didn’t affect what he sounded like to her; that would’ve been beyond embarrassing. ‘Alvin the Bloody Chipmunk’ didn’t really strike terror in the hearts of anyone or anything … well, maybe acorns.

A disembodied voice from the surface announced their depth into the dive helmets every hundred meters or so. When the berks on the ship declared, ‘900 meters,’ Spike held his breath … metaphorically. They continued to descend. Nothing happened. 1,000 meters. No change. When they passed 1,500 meters, Spike told Buffy that he had to go – they would be to the sub soon.

Be careful … both of you, she’d admonished him.

It’s our middle name, pet,Spike had assured her. It was an old and familiar custom between them. It felt good. I’ll let ya know as soon as it’s over, yeah?

Ok, baby … I love you, Buffy sent back to him.

Love you more than you know, Buffy, Spike replied, hoping that she could feel the emotion behind his words as he could feel hers. He took a breath of the helium and closed the bond.

“Showtime,” he announced in a squeaky chipmunk voice, looking over at Bess. She laughed. It came out as a high-pitched squeal and she laughed at her own laughter.



Spike chuckled to himself and shook his head. This was gonna sound like Alvin, Simon, and Theodore meet Captain Nemo ‘Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea’.  

After about twenty minutes more, the creature came into view. The pressure suits had large spotlights on the helmets, but the vampires didn’t need them and didn’t turn them on. There was no need to announce their arrival unnecessarily. The trio hit the bottom of the ocean about twenty meters away from the sub and the monster. Once they ‘landed’, Spike helped Bess unhook the heavy weights that hung from straps around her waist and then she did the same for him. Lastly, Spike helped Angel with his.

Spike thought about asking the broody vampire if he’d seen any old friends from his previous holiday under the waves; then he worried that he and Bess might actually need Angel’s help in this. Spike decided he could ask later, on the way up.

Untethered from the heavy weights that had pulled them to the bottom, they all just stood and watched the creature for a few more minutes as they waited for the AUVs to arrive. It did look very much like an overgrown octopus – very overgrown. Comparing it to a regular octopus was like comparing King Kong to Tarzan’s sidekick, Cheetah. It was undoubtedly the largest living thing any of them had ever seen. Now that they were this close to it, its size was overwhelming…staggering really. It had eight arms, properly called tentacles, as Billy had informed Spike before he left. Each arm … err, tentacle looked to be about as big around as the Blue Bomber at the widest point. Those tentacles were all wrapped securely around the submarine, which rested at a slight angle on the ocean floor. The demon’s head looked to be the size of a hot air balloon, and was shaped about the same way.

Spike knew that head wasn’t just full of hot air, however.

**~**

“Did you know that octopi have a well developed brain and are very intelligent?” Billy had asked his father as Spike was packing for the mission. Billy had his Kindle and was reading to Spike from a book he’d downloaded from the library website just for the occasion. Spike, Bess, and Buffy had told the children about the mission. They decided it was better to simply tell them the truth about what was going on than try to come up with some lame excuse about where Spike and Bess were going.

“That right?” Spike asked as he tossed some t-shirts into his overnight bag.

“Uh-huh,” his son assured him, nodding resolutely – all business. He was a Scooby-pup and he was helping with the mission. It was his second.

Sitting cross-legged on the bed, Billy flipped the electronic pages quickly, scanning for facts that would help. “Oh! They’re completely deaf! They comm … commun…” he struggled, looking up at Spike.

Spike leaned over and looked at the electronic book. “Communicate,” he read for Billy.

“Communicate,” Billy repeated, “by changing colors. When they’re scared they turn white! They release ink to distract enemies while they swim away and …” Billy continued.

“Does it say how t’ keep it from swimmin’ away?” Spike wondered.

“Ummm … no, I don’t think so. It says that if you cut one of its arms off, it can grow a new one! It can re … re-gen-er-ate,” he sounded the word out. “Regenerate,” he repeated more quickly. “And it has suction cups … two hundred and forty on each arm and …” Billy paused. “Oh,” he muttered, his voice turning soft, worried.



Spike stopped tossing things into his bag and looked at the boy. “Oh?”

Billy frowned. Concern flickered in his expressive blue eyes. “They poison their prey and par… para…” he held the screen up for Spike to see.

“‘They poison their prey and paralyze it,’” Spike read. “‘It has a beak, like a bird, that’s used to eat things with shells.’ Bloody brilliant,” Spike moaned rolling his eyes. That was a bit of a tip-off however. This creature had teeth – lots of them. It definitely wasn’t an overgrown octopus, but perhaps a first cousin visiting from the ‘Texas Dimension’ … everything’s bigger in Texas, after all.



“But you’ve got the Gem, right? So …” Billy suggested hopefully, looking up at his father.

Spike gave him a reassuring smile and tousled his unruly blond curls. “Right. Got no worries, yeah?”

“But what about Bess?” Billy asked, the worry still creasing his small features.

Spike sat down next to him and looked him in the eye. “I’ll keep ‘er safe. No worries, now. We’ll be back before ya know it. I’ll bring ya some shells from the very bottom of the ocean. Shells that ain’t ever been seen by another human’s eyes. How’d that be?”

Billy’s eyes grew wide and he nodded eagerly. “That’d be way cool.”

**~**

“I’m thinkin’ spearing them wriggly bits won’t do a soddin’ thing but piss it off,” Spike observed in his helium voice.

“Yeah …” Angel agreed, his voice just as squeaky. “We need to go for the eyes or the head, at least.”



After waiting another few minutes for the AUVs – a wait that seemed an eternity to Spike, but was probably no more than ten minutes, three of the bright yellow torpedo-like, remote-controlled vehicles appeared in the water above them.

There was a large net stretched between the three unmanned vehicles and they slowly moved into position over the sea monster with it, trying not to alarm it.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Those bloody things are ‘bout as sneaky as Big Bird,” Spike moaned, sounding quite a lot like Big Bird's first cousin – Donald Duck. “Must look like giant, yellow bananas to the Octopussy.”

“Yeah, and we look like big, yellow Tic Tacs,” Angel observed, but there wasn’t much they could do about that now. “Maybe we should move up and get ready before they wake it up,” he suggested.

“Right then,” Spike agreed, lifting his harpoon and making sure it was ready to fire. He looked at Bess; she was doing the same.

Spike met her eyes with his and she gave him a confident nod. “I’m ready,” she assured him in a Daisy Duck voice.

The three vampires started bouncing across the floor of the ocean. Spike again thought this was what it must be like to be on the moon – basically weightless, except for the heavy pressure suit. They covered the short distance that separated them from the monster quickly – perhaps a little too quickly.



The three warriors were within just a couple of meters of the monster when a crewman from the ship announced they were releasing the net. That would’ve been good if Spike, Angel, and Bess were near the monster’s head instead of its wriggly arms. It would’ve been even better if the edge of the heavy net didn’t fall directly on the three bright yellow Tic Tacs.

“Bloody hell!” Spike exclaimed in his squeaky Alvin voice as the net fell atop him and slid down his back. The momentum and considerable weight of the snare knocked him down and trapped him, along with Angel and Bess, within the steel webbing. They weren’t the only ones trapped, though – they had company: the octopus.

Suddenly, the sleeping giant was awakened. The sea monster thrashed wildly at the net, sending its long arms flailing out in all directions. Its whole body turned round and round, creating a flurry of tentacles and heavy mesh netting. As it thrashed, it entangled itself, as well as the three vampires, even further in the trap. Spike, Bess, and Angel were whisked through the water violently, banging against the creature’s tentacles, the heavy webbing of the net, and each other. They were all turned this way and that, upside down and, if not literally, then certainly figuratively, inside out. Their harpoons were wrenched from their hands and tangled in the mesh of the heavy net. There was absolutely nothing they could do to stop the wild ride – all they could do was try to hold on and hope.

For a moment, Spike could see the other two bright yellow pressure suits flying past him. Their arms and legs were flailing, just as his were, trying to find something to hold onto to stop the dizzying spiral. Then, everything went black. The water was black. The whole world might’ve been black for all he knew. The creature had expelled a sea of black ink, blinding them.

When Bess crashed against him, Spike grabbed for the strap around her waist that had carried the heavy weights, and held onto her. That was only fractionally better, but when they finally got to the end of ‘Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride’, at least they’d be together.

The clear sea water that had been surrounding them was now murky and full of silt from the bottom of the ocean that the monster had stirred up, as well as the black ink it had expelled. Spike could feel them being lifted up, then sailing down again as the monster swam, twisting and turning, trying to get free of the net. All of the sudden, the ride slowed: the whirling bubbles ceased, the octopus arms no longer crashed against them.

Spike tried to see what was happening but there was so much debris in the water, it was hard to tell. Then he saw the eyes, the giant red and purple eyes which were easily as tall as he was. And those demonic eyes were looking right at him and Bess … from the other side of the net. Spike swiveled his head around as much as he could to try and understand, but when he felt the net sinking, pulling him and Bess with it, he figured it out. The beast had gotten free of the trap; Spike and Bess had not.

“Angel, where the bloody hell are you?” Spike exclaimed as he and Bess were pulled down towards the ocean’s floor.

“I’m in this fucking net! Where do you think I am?” Angel replied. The shrillness of their voices would’ve made the whole situation sound comedic, if it weren’t so … not.

Spike rolled his eyes and clenched his jaw as he turned around and tried to see Angel in the large net, but the slit and ink that still hung in the water was making it impossible to see past the end of his arm.

“Bloody brilliant. The wankers caught us! Bra-fucking-vo,” Spike chirped shrilly, sounding like a small bird. He’d been going for a growl.

“Surface to dive team,” came on the speakers in their helmets. “Do you have a visual on the target? Over.”

“No, we don’t have a bloody visual on a goddamned…” Spike snarled angrily, but was cut off when his feet crashed against the hull of the submarine and his knees buckled. Bess squealed in surprise and they both tumbled down, their pressure suits clanging loudly against the damaged metal skin of the sub. The net they were entangled in slid down the side of the tall, undersea boat, pulling Spike and Bess with it. They finally came to rest on the sandy bottom of the ocean next to the sub, covered by layers and layers of the heavy netting.

“…thing,” Spike finished with a high-pitched sigh that sounded more like a whine.

“You alright, pet?” Spike asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine, but I’m not your ‘pet’,” Angel retorted angrily.

“Wasn’t bloody talkin’ to you, wanker!”

“I’m fine … just … Is that you on top of me?” Bess asked. She was pressed down face-first into the silt, surrounded by the net.

“Not rightly sure. Think I’m facing … up … not too sure, though,” Spike replied as he tried to push the mesh off.

In the chaos, he hadn’t had a chance to really focus on the net before, but now he saw that it was made up of large, heavy chains crisscrossed with thick, steel-stranded cables. If he weren’t in this huge yellow space suit, he might actually fit between the holes in the ‘net’, but the bulky pressure suit wouldn’t make it. “Oh, bloody hell,” he squeaked as he tried to break the chains – they weren’t giving.

“This shit is vampire-proof!” Angel’s voice twittered in their ears.

“Maybe for a ponce like you!” Spike cheeped back as he groaned, trying to break the chain or find a weak spot in the netting.

“If you could get off me, maybe I can get it,” Bess suggested as she wriggled underneath Spike in her pressure suit.

“If I could get the bloody hell off you, I wouldn’t need ya t’ get it,” Spike pointed out.

“Can’t you just roll a little to the side?”

Spike groaned in effort, trying to push the netting up so he could move. “How’s that?”

“A little more,” Bess requested as she tried to turn onto her side and get her face out of the sand.

“There?”

“More.”

Spike moaned and struggled harder. “Got it?”

“More!” she demanded in her squeaky voice as she groaned and tried to push up.

“Bloody hell, girl!” Spike exclaimed grunting in effort as he tried to move further. “That got it?”

“A little more … one more hard push.”

“Fuck!” Spike squeaked, using every ounce of energy to lift the layers of chain and steel up and roll off her.

“Yes! That’s it!” Bess screeched as she was finally able to get turned completely around and free her hands and arms from beneath her.

“As much as I’m enjoying listening to Donald and Daisy Duck having sex…” Angel interrupted them.



“At least Donald has sex, unlike you, wanker.”

“I have sex! Who said I didn’t have sex?” Angel peeped back quickly. “There’s nothing wrong with my sex drive … or Cordy’s! Who told you there was?”

“The vampire doth protest too much, methinks,” Spike snickered shrilly.

Bess ignored them and began pulling at the chains. She wasn’t having any more luck than Spike had until she found a clevis that connected two lengths of chain. “Here! There are … things here that unscrew!” Then she sighed. “If I had the manual dexterity in this outfit to actually screw anything.”

“Sounded like you were doing a pretty good job of it a minute ago, Daisy,” Angel quipped.

Spike and Bess ignored him.

“Try breakin’ it, pet. It’s probably the weakest spot,” Spike advised.

Bess pulled with all her Slayer and vampire strength and finally the clevis cracked and then came apart. “One down,” she twittered, her voice shrill in the ears of the others.

“Surface to dive team. What’s the situation? Over.” They all heard the deep voice in their helmets. It sounded strange compared to their helium-induced warbles.

“The bloody situation is we’re buried in enough chainmail to clothe a soddin’ Renaissance fair! You berks dropped the net on us!” Spike informed them.



“Can you get those AUVs to … you know, pick it up?” Angel suggested. “Uhhh … Over.”

“The AUVs are tracking the bogey. Can you extricate yourselves? Over.”

Spike rolled his eyes and Bess squealed in ‘victory’ as she broke another clevis. “Probably, but it’ll take a while,” she answered.

“Over,” Angel added.

“As I understand it, you aren’t getting any older. Let us know when you’re ready and we’ll walk you through retrieving the reactor. Over and out,” the strangely baritone voice from the surface signed off.

“Bloody wankers,” Spike chirped under his breath just as Bess let out another high-pitched cry of victory over another link in the chain.

It took nearly two hours for them to get through the layers and layers of steel netting that covered them. Spike thought about contacting Buffy, but decided not to. Running what he’d say over in his mind, he decided anything he told her now would only worry her more.

‘The wankers dropped the net on us and trapped us with the beastie. Got smashed around a bit, shined up good and proper, like rock in a tumbler. But we’re fine now – just trapped under a few tons o’ steel. Oh, by the way, the red-eyed nasty scampered off so we’ll have to go after it right after we try to not nuke the whole bloody world when we get the reactor outta the sub. No worries, luv. Ta!’

It would definitely be best to just wait until they were safe and sound back on the ship. How long had they been down here, anyway? Three hours? Longer? You’d think a fancy, yellow space suit would have a clock on the inside of the helmet that you could see … and an mp3 player loaded up with some Sex Pistols.

After Bess got herself and Spike freed from the heavy netting, they went in search of Angel. They found him at the front of the sub still entangled in the steel mesh. He did still have his harpoon – that was a plus. It looked like it had been chained to his hand with the netting instead of ripped out like Spike’s and Bess’ had been.

Bess started working her way down through the netting towards him. One by one, she broke the weakest links in the chain to make a path through the heavy net so Angel could get out. After Bess broke the clevises, Spike would pull the heavy netting back; it was like peeling an onion – a very heavy onion. It was slow going, but they finally got through all the layers to Angel.

They’d no sooner gotten the broody vamp freed than the deep voice from the surface blared in their ears again. “Surface to dive team. Bogey returning to your position. ETA forty-five seconds. She’s coming in at five one degrees three seven decimal zero North, zero zero one degrees four niner decimal five West. Please confirm. Over.”

“What the bloody hell does that mean? Five one … what?” Spike squeaked back as he scanned the ocean above them for the red eyes of the sea monster or the lights from the AUVs that were supposed to be tracking it.

“Negative. We don’t copy, surface. Does anyone there speak English?” Angel added, remembering after a few moments to tack on, “…Over.”

“Five one degrees three seven decimal zero North, zero zero…” the disembodied voice in their helmets began to repeat.

“OI! We bloody well don’t speak ‘Cap'n Cook’. Which direction…” Spike started, as the three vampires turned around in circles looking for the ‘bogey’. “Never bloody mind,” Spike chirped as he caught sight of the glowing purple of the beast’s irises.



Angel made sure his harpoon was ready to fire.

The giant sea monster was closing in on the sub, and them, quickly. It never did turn white. So much for it being scared of the yellow Tic Tacs. Bugger.

“We need t’ get it while it’s here. Don’t fancy chasing all over the soddin’ world for this thing,” Spike instructed.

“I’ll need to get close,” Angel agreed. “Hit it in one of those big, red eyes.”

“Right then. Buttercup and I’ll distract it, grab an arm and try and hold it still while you get up to its head,” Spike offered, looking at Bess. Bess nodded her understanding and agreement.

“You do know how to fire one of those things, yeah?” Spike asked Angel in his squeaky Alvin voice, cocking a brow at the harpoon in Angel's hands.



“Yes, Spike,” Angel’s voice twittered back with what would pass for disdain if you were a chipmunk.

“You bloody well better not miss,” Spike threatened, but the shrillness of his voice made the threat sound less than intimidating. “‘Ere we go then. You go to the right, luv, I’ll take the left,” Spike instructed Bess.

The girl nodded and began to bounce away to the right and Spike moved to the left, leaving Angel standing in the middle. Angel jumped up, kicking his legs in a scissoring motion, and landed atop the crippled sub. He backed up a bit away from the very end of the downed ship to give the demon room to settle atop it so it would hopefully be at eye-level with him. The broody vampire raised the large harpoon gun up against his shoulder like a rifle, and waited until he could see the whites of the beast’s eyes … or, actually, the red and purple.

When the octopus began wrapping back around its prize, it saw Angel standing there like a yummy lemon-flavored Tic Tac and reached an enormous arm out to grab him. Spike grabbed one of the demon’s other arms and began punching it as hard as he could to distract it from Angel – and it worked. Too well. The octopus changed its focus and wrapped that big arm around Spike, instead.

“NOW!” Spike screeched to Angel as the beast began to squeeze the pressure suit. Spike could feel the frigid water leaking in around his torso as he tried to extricate himself from the monster’s hold. He had no idea what the pressure of thousands of feet of sea water would do to him or if the Gem could fix it. Would he flatten like a pancake or would his eyes pop out of his head? Maybe he’d just implode and turn into a red spot on the ocean floor.

While Spike was on one side battling the creature, Bess was on the other, trying to keep it from attacking Angel, not aware of Spike’s predicament. She was holding onto the very end of one of its long arms. She could barely wrap one of her own arms around it. To anchor herself, she held to a section of the heavy metal net with the other arm.

“Where are its eyes?!” Angel squeaked.

“Looking right at me, you wanker! Shoot the soddin’ thing!”

“All I can see are arms!”



“Just shoot it!” Spike insisted as more water started pouring in on him. Spike pushed on the thing’s arm with both his hands, but it had giant suction cups which stuck to his pressure suit like glue … two hundred and forty per arm if his memory served. Spike banged his fists on it, wriggled, kicked, squirmed, flailed … tried everything he could to get away. The beast was not impressed.

Spike suddenly felt a strange emptiness – as if something had ripped a part of his soul away. Buffy, he thought immediately, but had no time to focus on the feeling or contact her as he was lifted up by the demon and whipped around in a wide arc. Spike smashed into Angel, who had never gotten a clean shot and had, thus, never fired his harpoon. Angel was knocked off the sub and rolled down the steel netting that now covered it. He came to rest several yards away down on the sandy bottom of the ocean near where Bess was still struggling to hold onto another of the beast’s arms.

Angel and Bess could hear Spike screaming as the demon squeezed him tighter and continued to swing him in a wide, arcing circle, just missing Bess. The creature stopped Spike’s trajectory with a brutal jerk and began the trek back around with him, whipping him through the water violently with its powerful tentacle.



Bess finally saw what was happening when Spike flew by. She let go of the creature’s arm and tried to reach out and grab Spike as he came by again. She got a hold of one of his feet with one hand as she held to the net with the other, but the giant demon was too strong and it easily ripped Spike out of her grasp. Bess watched in horror as the demonic octopus opened its mouth full of sharp teeth and sucked the giant yellow Tic Tac, which had a gooey center named ‘Spike’, inside.

“Spike!” she screamed over and over again as she started to move towards the thing’s head. She had to do something! She had to get him back out of there.

Angel had gotten back to his feet, the harpoon still in his hands, and he was finally able to get a shot off. Unfortunately, he wasn’t very close and the monster was moving when he fired the harpoon. It did hit the octopus’ head, but it was closer to its ear than its eye and only served to agitate the creature. The sea monster growled its displeasure and deep, powerful ripples formed in the water, knocking Angel and Bess back away from it. The octopus released its hold on the sub and began to swim away, apparently deciding that the sub was not worth all this trouble.

“Spike!” Bess continued to scream in her shrill, Daisy Duck voice as she tried to swim after it. Angel followed her, but the sea monster was way too fast for them. “It ate Spike!” Bess screamed at the top of her lungs, speaking to the men on the surface. “Don’t let it get away! Bring it back!”

The AUVs that had been tracking it turned and began to follow the monster again, but it was moving faster this time and it quickly disappeared in the dark, churning depths of the Bering Sea.

“God, Spike! No!” Bess continued to cry as she simply stared in the direction it had gone, taking her father with it.

Suddenly, she turned on Angel and began pounding against his chest and shoulders. “Why didn’t you shoot when he said to!? What’s wrong with you?!” Her shrill voice rang like a Saturday morning cartoon in her ears, frustrating her further.

“I didn’t have a shot!” Angel defended, grabbing her hands and trying to stop her.

“Buffy said you couldn’t be trusted!” Bess screamed at him, pulling free of his grasp.

“I didn’t have a shot!” Angel repeated adamantly. “It was Spike’s plan! I didn’t tell him to go over there and let it catch him!”

“You didn’t stop him either! You didn’t shoot it until it was too late! What do you think, with him gone you can get Buffy back?” Bess ranted.

“Oh, for the love of God,” Angel moaned in his Donald Duck voice, rolling his eyes. “I don’t want Buffy back. I'm happily married! On top of which, I don't have anything against Spike … well … not that much. I'm not in collusion with the damn octopus!”



“Surface to dive team, do you read? Over,” interrupted them.

“We read,” Angel sighed shrilly in response. “…Over.”

“We’ve lost the bogey. We need to retrieve the reactor. Are you ready to proceed? Over.”

“Proceed?! Proceed?” Bess exclaimed in disbelief. “That thing just ate Spike!”

When no one said anything for a few moments, Angel added, “Over.”

“Copy that. The mission is still salvageable. Proceed to the aft of the submarine for instructions on entering and retrieving the uranium core. Over.”

“Fuck you with your uranium!” Bess replied to the voice from the surface. “Over!”

“Bess … there’s nothing we can do for Spike now. Let’s get the reactor, then we’ll go after the creature and get Spike back,” Angel reasoned with her.

“It ATE HIM,” Bess reminded Angel adamantly, her eyes wide with fear and anger and utter shock.

“It swallowed him,” Angel clarified. “It’ll probably spit him back out very soon. Spike’s kinda hard to digest. And he’s got the Gem … right?”

When Bess’ eyes bulged even wider and she started shaking her head ‘no’, Angel rolled his eyes. “I’m not that stupid, I know he does,” he continued. “He’ll be fine. We’ll find him, but we need to do this now.”

“Nooo …” Bess insisted in her squeaky voice. “We have to find Spike now. That heap of scrap metal isn’t going anywhere!” she pointed out, waving her hand at the sub.



“Bess,” Angel began through gritted teeth, his patience wearing thin. “We have a job to do. We can’t find Spike from down here – the damn thing swam off with him! Do you really want to spend another three hours each way going back up and coming back down here to get the reactor? Wouldn’t it make more sense to get it now, while we’re here, then go find Spike?” Angel reasoned in his most fatherly, chipmunk voice.

Bess sighed heavily and closed her eyes, shaking her head in disbelief. Oh God … it ate Spike! And swam off with him! She wanted desperately to rub her eyes, which were filling with frustrated tears behind her lids, but she couldn’t in this getup. What was she gonna tell Buffy? What about Annie and Dani and Billy? I'm sorry, but a giant demon ate our father. You didn't really need him around, did you?

“Bess? I could really use your help with this…”

Bess blew out a long breath and opened her eyes. “Fine,” she snarled shrilly. “Get the damned thing – but we are finding Spike and he better be alright or you’ll be the next thing that monster eats,” she threatened, poking a finger angrily against his chest.

Angel blew out an exasperated breath and started for the rear of the sub. “Like father, like daughter,” he mumbled to himself in his Donald Duck voice.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Octopussy Theme (All Time High)on YouTube  }}

All I wanted was a sweet distraction for an hour or two
Had no intention to do the things we've done
Funny how it always goes with love, when you don't look, you find
But then we're two of a kind, we move as one

We're in all time high
We'll change all that's gone before
Doing so much more than falling in love
On an all time high
We'll take on the world and wait
So hold on tight, let the flight begin

I don't want to waste a waking moment; I don't want to sleep
I'm in so strong and so deep, and so are you
In my time I've said these words before, but now I realize
My heart was telling me lies, for your they're true

We're an all time high
We'll change all that's gone before
Doing so much more than falling in love
On an all time high
We'll take on the world and wait
So hold on tight, let the flight begin

So hold on tight, let the flight begin
We're an all time high
End Notes:
TBC .... Oh no! It ATE SPIKE! (and not in a good way). Wasn't Billy cute with the research, like a mini-Watcher? Did Angel purposely hesitate or did he really not have any shot? Can Bess kick his ass now?

We'll follow Spike down into the belly of the beast next and see what happens there. Then, in the chapter after that, we'll be back to Buffy and Annie, and we'll check on MacKenzie and the rest of the gang too. Lots more to come...
Stand by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike’s been swallowed by the giant octopus demon – can he fight it from the inside out?
**
Raging Waters is a water park in San Dimas, CA. A couple of their rides are:
Dark Hole Tube Slide: Dark Hole incorporates two 500-foot long fiberglass flumes, with an overall drop of 52 feet. It was the first two-person raft adventure ride through total darkness in the country.
Drop Out Extreme Body Slide: Dropout is a thrilling, seven-story drop/slide, and is one of the tallest vertical drops in the country. It hurls riders down in just four seconds, at speeds reaching nearly 40 miles an hour.
**
Music Referenced: Stand, Rascal Flatts http://youtu.be/tneHF7M0TS8
**
Some Screencaps courtesy of Broken Innocence (others from ScreenCap Paradise which is, sadly, no more). http://broken-innocence.net/index2.html and also from BuffyWorld.com
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Four Days Ago, Friday, April 15th, 2011, Unexpected Universe:

Spike tried not to panic as he passed by the rows and rows of sharp, jagged teeth inside the octopus' mouth. He reached out to grab onto them, to stop this before it got too far … before he got too far. The demon’s teeth scraped against the hard exterior of the pressure suit and sent chills down Spike’s spine like someone running sharp fingernails against bone. He managed to grab a hold of one of the teeth and stop his momentum into the creature’s mouth. He had just begun to push back out when the demon sucked in a deep swallow of sea water and Spike was washed away. He was swallowed whole, like a bitter pill, washed down the creature’s gullet with the sea water. The tooth he’d been holding onto was still in his hand; it had pulled out of the demon’s jaw cleanly, like a shark’s tooth might.

For a while he could hear the shrill voices of Bess and Angel talking and screaming and the deep baritone of the berk on the surface. He really didn’t have time to concentrate on what they were saying, but he did hear Bess tell someone to 'get fucked'. That made him smile a bit – he hoped she was talking to Captain Forehead. Bloody wanker couldn’t hit the side of a barn with a bazooka at ten paces.

Spike stabbed the sharp, toothy-weapon into the wall of the octopus’ throat and tried to stop his momentum. He held on with all his strength and tried to climb back out, but it wasn’t working. The weight of the water washing over him, added to the weight of the suit he was in, and the action of the giant demon’s gullet as it swallowed was more than he could fight against. His hands slipped off the tooth, leaving it embedded in the creature’s throat, and Spike was dropped down the dark tunnel. It felt like he might be riding a new demonic water slide at Raging Waters theme park in San Dimas. If ‘The Dark Hole’ and ‘Drop Out’ were married and had a baby ride, this is what it would be like: completely dark, extremely steep, and unbelievably fast with a big splash landing at the end. At least he didn’t have to worry about pulling his swim trunks out of the crack of his arse… Hey, any bright side was a plus at this point, even lack of a wedgie.



After the wild ride down, Spike was expelled into the demon’s stomach with a violent splash. The acid and bile began to leak in through the cracks the creature had made in his pressure suit and it burnt his skin as it tried in earnest to digest him.

“Bloody hell!” Spike screamed. “Hey! Can you wankers hear me? Get me the hell outta here!” he demanded of the disembodied voices from the surface as the stinking bile splashed over him and rolled him around like the suit he was ensconced in weighed nothing.

“Buttercup?! Angel?” he tried. “Bloody over! Can ya 'ear me?” he continued. Nothing.

“Fucking brilliant. Marvels of modern technology can’t take a little theme park ride,” Spike chirped in his helium voice.

“Right, then, guess this is up to you, Jonah,” Spike urged himself, finding it comically ironic – a vampire turning into Jonah. The comedy of it soon faded as the acid continued to penetrate the pressure suit, seep through the wet suit he had on underneath, and burn his skin painfully. Funny he didn't remember the burning bile being mentioned in that story...



Spike swam through the churning acid of the creature’s stomach trying to reach the side. He bumped into one of the big yellow AUVs, which the monster had also apparently swallowed, and pushed it out of his way. Dead fish and other debris, some recognizable, some badly mutilated and partially digested, churned in the bile with Spike. The aroma was staggeringly putrid; beyond anything he'd ever experienced before. Spike stopped breathing.



It was pitch black in here, but Spike’s vampire senses could see well enough. He looked for a weak spot in the stomach lining that he could attack. He didn’t find anything that looked like an ulcer or anything like that, so he just picked a spot at random and began punching and kicking it with all his might. The monster didn’t seem to notice. The undulating walls of the stomach never flinched or lurched or stopped moving. Spike wasn’t expelled out the demon’s throat. So much for bloody Jonah.

“Gotta be swallowed by a creature with a bloody cast-iron stomach,” Spike groused in his high-pitched voice.

He tried to reach down and scratch at the burning skin of his abdomen and legs, but the pressure suit thwarted his efforts. The pain was growing, the area being burned expanding. He could feel deep, painful sores form on his skin, then they began to itch like mad as the Gem healed them. They were no sooner healed and stopped itching than the bile burnt his skin away again. He wasn’t actually sure which was worse – the burning or the infernal itching that he couldn't scratch.

Spike had had just about all he could take of this damn pressure suit. He couldn’t use his best weapon with it on – his fangs. He weighed his options as he tried to ignore the burning acid that was spreading over his body within the suit.

One. He could stay here and endure the pain and wait for someone to save him. Spike rolled his eyes, he hated that idea. Damsel in distress wasn’t his best look.



Two. He could remove the helmet from the suit and try biting his way out. What would happen without the suit? Since the octopus wasn’t imploding and the cracks in the pressure suit weren’t getting any worse, he had to assume the pressure inside the creature wouldn’t harm him. If he managed to actually get out while the demon was at the bottom of the ocean, that could be a problem, however.

Three. He could leave the suit on and allow nature to take its course. The bile didn’t seem to be degrading the suit. If he left it on, he theorized that he could pass through the demon’s digestive tract unharmed. Spike sighed, allowing the demon to excrete him would be humiliating and degrading, but was probably the best course of action at this point.

His mind made up, Spike turned, dove down into the deep, salty acid, and began swimming towards the bottom of the creature’s stomach. The closer he got to the bottom, the more of a pull he could feel tugging him, and everything else, down towards the demon’s intestines. Spike allowed himself to be pulled along, head first. He rolled his eyes and let out a defeated sigh. If Angel ever heard about this, Spike would never live it down. Angel always said Spike’s plans were shit; now that would be all too literal.

Fully prepared to endure this humiliation, he approached the relatively small opening at the lower part of the beast’s stomach which was the small intestine. When Spike got close enough to see the lining of the bowel, his eyes grew wide with surprise and fear. He began back-peddling, trying to swim away and break free of the tractor-beam-like pull.

The beast’s intestines were lined with large, wide, flat protrusions of what appeared to be solid bone. The unyielding gears ground together violently like a demonic, high-speed grist mill. Everything that passed through them was pulverized and ground into a thick paste. As he watched, the AUV he had bumped into earlier whipped past him and entered the grinder. Spike was slightly hopeful that it would jam or break the solid gears that ground the giant octopus’ food into pâté. Spike continued to swim, to fight against the pull of the beast’s digestive system, as he watched the spectacle.



To the vamp’s utter dismay, the large machine’s heavy steel ‘bones’ were easily ground fine enough to make the monster’s bread. Apparently eating and digesting that sub wouldn’t have been a real problem for the demon sea creature. Spike turned away from the demonic grinder and used every ounce of energy he had to retreat from the back end of the digestive tract. His plan of being excreted by the sea monster, at first simply degrading and humiliating, suddenly turned into something he was certain even the Gem could not protect him from.

“Okay, scratch that plan, then,” Spike murmured in his Alvin voice just as he broke the surface of the acidic bile.  He looked up and around – he couldn’t get out the back door, that much was certain; that left the front door or the side. He pursed his lips together and thought. Before he took the suit off, he’d try to climb out the way he’d come in. He searched around for something sharp in the debris that littered the demon’s stomach. He finally found a couple of bones from which the flesh had been eaten away by the acid. They were needle-sharp on one end and blunt on the other and about eighteen to twenty-four inches long. Rib bones from some kind of large fish, he supposed.

Spike reached as high as he could and jabbed one into the pliant flesh of the stomach lining, then he pulled himself up. Holding himself and the heavy suit up with his right hand, he jabbed the other bone in with his left, up a bit higher than the first. It took considerable effort to pull himself up, hand over hand, in the heavy suit. The swabbie that strapped him into it said it weighed nearly three hundred pounds; Spike didn’t doubt that one bit. Slowly, one arm’s length at a time, he climbed out of the bile towards the esophageal sphincter, the diaphragm at the top of the stomach that keeps the stomach acid out of the esophagus. He grunted and groaned with the effort, clenched his jaw, and forced himself upward.

One more. One more. One more, he encouraged himself. Don’t let the bastard win.

When he faltered and almost fell, he cursed himself, “Bloody ponce! Fight!”



It seemed to take forever to reach the top, but he made it at last. Spike sucked in a deep breath of the putrid air and jabbed one of the bones into the beast’s flesh as hard as he could. Then he pulled himself up with the other until he could wrap his legs over the first one and sit on it.

Spike took a moment to rest there. He was bone weary and his flesh was still burning and itching from the bile that had soaked his wetsuit earlier. He pushed that pain away, concentrating on the job at hand. He had to get that sphincter open. He poked up at it with the other bone and he felt the beast’s whole stomach roil. His eyes went wide with hope. The bloody thing might just toss him out yet!

Spike poked it again, and again, and again. Holding the bone with both hands, he jabbed the sharp point into the soft flesh of the creature’s diaphragm. The beast’s stomach retched violently. It began churning even faster than it had before and splashing the gastric acid all the way up to where Spike was at the top of the stomach. Spike kept jabbing at it – harder and faster. He was sure the beast would vomit him out at any moment.

Then, suddenly, the world turned upside down. The diaphragm opened and Spike actually fell into it – out of the stomach and into the esophagus. He was out! Well … he was part of the way out. Spike held onto the sharp bone he'd been using as a poker and slid down the tube towards the creature’s mouth.

It must be diving, he realized as he reversed his earlier course, going up the dark waterslide now. At the top of the tube there was another diaphragm. Spike grabbed onto the tooth that he’d embedded in the creature’s flesh earlier with one hand and held tight. Feeling secure, he began jabbing the fish bone at the upper sphincter. He just needed one shot – one small opening and he could be free. His confidence soared. The weariness in his bones dissipated with renewed hope and adrenaline. He was gonna kick Angel’s ass good and proper for all this trouble.

Suddenly, the sphincter opened. This was it! Spike lunged at the opening, pulling with his hands and arms, kicking with his feet, pushing against the tooth that still held strong in the beast’s throat. At that moment, the demon octopus changed direction and began swimming up again. It opened its mouth as it surged swiftly through the freezing arctic waters. For a moment Spike could see freedom – it was only a few feet away. Then, just as quickly as it appeared, it was gone.

Water spewed in through the beast’s gaping mouth and, as suddenly as Spike’s spirits had soared, they crashed again. The vampire was pummeled by an icy blast of salty liquid and hundreds of small fish. The rushing river of frigid sea water pushed him back through the diaphragm at the back of the beast’s throat and all the way back down into the stomach. Spike landed with another violent splash in the burning gastric juices of the monster. Small fish, sardines that would never see any mustard sauce, fell all around him. He’d heard tell of raining frogs, but raining fish was a new one. The small, shiny creatures flopped around in the burning bile, trying to get away from the inevitable. But there was no escape – not for them, and apparently not for him.

The wild ride left him drained and disheartened, and once again bone weary.

He closed his eyes and just floated there for a few minutes, trying to gather his courage and strength to try again. The acid began burning at his skin more vehemently – more was leaking in and it felt more concentrated. He must’ve damaged the suit more when he'd landed the second time. Then he felt himself getting pulled under, pulled towards the bottom of the stomach. The pull was much stronger now than it had been before.

Spike opened his eyes and looked around. Despite the rush of water that had dropped him back down here, there was actually much less fluid in the stomach than there had been before. The acid was more concentrated; there was less seawater diluting it. It was also at least twice as far to the top of the stomach than it had been the first time. Spike blew out a deep breath and began to swim against the pull of the digestive tract, which was no easy task in that bulky suit. He was so very exhausted now, mentally and physically. It was all he could do to keep from being pulled under and made into vampire pâté.

“Done in by a pussy,” he murmured to himself. “That would’a sounded right sexy at one time … a bloody dream,” Spike’s voice was back to his normal baritone; all the helium had leaked out of the cracks in his suit. It suddenly sounded strange, like someone else talking, and he began to laugh hysterically. “Eaten by a demonic pussy. Only you, William.”

Spike's laughter died quickly as he struggled to stay afloat in the rolling waves of acidic seawater. He couldn't stop swimming for even a moment or he'd be dragged under by the natural motion of the beast’s stomach. He was simply too exhausted now to execute his second plan, trying to bite through the beast’s stomach and escape through a ‘side door’, so he settled for plan number one: wait.

He thought for sure someone would be there to save him soon. He expected a large blade to slice the creature’s belly open at any moment and spew him out – like that scene in Jaws when they gutted the shark on the dock. He could see the smirk on Angel’s face when Spike spewed out of the demon’s belly at his grandsire’s feet. He wanted nothing more than wipe that smirk off Broody Boy’s lips.

Spike waited. He swam. But nothing like that ever happened. He didn’t know how long he swam and swam and swam. It was like one of those never-ending pools where you could go for hours but never get anywhere.

He had to try something else; plan number one wasn’t working.

Spike nervously unfastened his helmet as he tread water. He was pretty sure nothing bad would happen, like his eyes popping out of his head or his organs imploding, but natural science had never been his strongest subject. A small hiss of air seeped out from under it and he slowly pulled it off. He let out a relieved breath when nothing happened. He dropped the helmet and unfastened the latches around his waist. The heavy bottoms of the suit slid off his body and down into the murky bile. It felt liberating, even with the increased pain of the acid, which he was now immersed in completely. He slid out of the top half of the suit and let it fall away, too.

He could move! He felt like a new man. His determination and resolve returned. He clenched his jaw against the scalding acid that ate at his skin and flesh in a constant tug of war with the Gem of Amarra, which kept repairing the damage. He could take pain and torment. That wasn’t a problem. If he was in pain, that meant he was still here and therefore he still had a chance to get out. He just needed to ignore it now and do what had to be done.

Spike swam with renewed energy over to the supple, slick side of the beast’s stomach and began gnawing at it with his fangs and tearing at it with his hands. Glowing blood in the same phosphorescent shade of purple as the beast’s irises spewed from the wound Spike opened. It actually lit up the inside of the demon’s stomach like those bioluminescent noctilucales which, in large numbers, make the sea glow.



Spike smiled slightly as a memory popped into his head. The day JJ, Annie, Dani, and Billy had first seen the ocean glowing. He and Buffy had taken the kids to the beach one summer day. How old were they? Spike thought a moment. Annie must’ve been ten, the twins and JJ about five at the time. It had been a glorious day – warm and bright and filled with laughter; that alone would’ve made it perfect. But when the sun went down and the waves began to glow blue-green, it turned magical. Even Buffy was enthralled with the phenomenon and no one could resist jumping into the waves, then running out and splashing in the surf as their whole bodies glowed from the bright, tiny creatures that lived in the water. They were like walking, talking, giggling glow-sticks.

As Spike tread water in the gastric juices of the beast, he bit his bottom lip and closed his eyes as the happiness of that night ran like a video in his mind. Tears stung his eyes and puddled behind his lids. He could see the children’s joyful faces, see Buffy, laughing and kicking the glowing water on him. Buffy. He still hadn’t contacted her and that strange emptiness remained in his chest. He’d been ignoring it, convincing himself it was the depth of the sea which had caused the disconnect between them. But he couldn’t ignore it any longer. He reached out through the bond to her. He got nothing but a huge black-hole of silence in return. Maybe it was just the ocean. The pressure of the sea water or the waves distorting the signal and not letting them …

“Oh rubbish!” Spike chastised himself, blinking his eyes open. He knew better than that. The bond had worked perfectly fine on his way down. He’d closed it before they got to the bottom, but there was no distortion or distance between them. Something had happened to her. And here he sat in the glowing belly of the beast, unable to save himself, let alone find out what was wrong with her.

When Spike looked back at the wall of the stomach where he’d begun tearing a hole, his heart sank further. It was completely healed. “Bugger,” he swore as he ran his hand over the spot. You couldn’t even tell where the wound had been.

Spike redoubled his efforts to get out. He tore at the supple lining of the beast’s stomach with fingers and fangs. He drew more glowing blood from the wound, but he could never get it larger than five or six inches wide before it simply healed up again – regenerated.

Billy’s voice rang in Spike’s mind, “It says that if you cut one of its arms off, it can grow a new one! It can re … re-gen-er-ate. Regenerate.”

“Bloody hell,” Spike moaned as he kept trying. No matter how fast he tried to work, how deeply he cut into the cast-iron stomach, or how hard he pulled at it with his hands, he never could get a hole large enough to escape through.



Spike screamed and growled and roared in frustration, pounding his fists against the creature’s stomach. Nothing changed: the undulating gastric rhythm never faltered; the pull of the juices down towards the grist mill never weakened; the painful dance between the Gem and the beast’s acidic bile never let up.

A shower of frigid water and more flopping fish poured down atop Spike, pushing him down. He was again caught in the strong undercurrent that was pulling everything towards the demon’s bowels. Although the additional water diluted the acid slightly, the extra salt stung his wounds and quickened the flow of the stomach contents through the grist mill. Spike began to swim again, trying to get away from the natural pull of the creature’s digestive tract.

His body was exhausted and now completely covered in rough blisters and oozing sores, which both itched unmercifully and burned painfully at the same time. He was once again caught up in the flow of that never-ending pool, swimming against the tide with all his remaining strength just to stay in one place. As he swam, half-digested fish with their sharp bones sticking out of rotting flesh, tore at his wet suit and skin, adding to his agony. Unyielding debris raced past him, ripping at his body. Driftwood, plastic bottles, pieces of fish net with lead weights attached, bits of coral, a horseshoe crab, a lobster, even shells and rocks from the bottom of the ocean swirled in the bile and raked at his suit and skin.

He knew where all that stuff was headed, just as he knew that’s where he would be if he couldn’t keep swimming. He didn’t know how long he’d been in here. It might’ve been hours or days; he really couldn’t tell. Obviously help was not coming. Spike reached out for Buffy again through the bond. He could think of nothing else to do. He closed his eyes as he swam and concentrated with all his strength on reaching her, pouring his entire soul into it. But his entire soul wasn’t there – part of it was missing; the part she kept inside her.

“Buffy,” Spike called aloud. His voice was hoarse, gravely from the acid he’d swallowed. He just needed to hear her name; he longed to hear something other than the constant gurgling and splashing inside the demon. He had no idea what had happened to her. He knew if she was unconscious for some reason … a car accident, maybe, he might not be able to contact her. But he was sure that wouldn’t cause this emptiness within his soul. He saw her face behind his closed lids and he swam and swam and swam some more, trying to reach her, but never getting any closer.

“Buffy, where are you, luv?”

After some time, Spike began to falter. The current was dragging him under. He’d rally with sheer willpower, pull away, get back to the surface, but he couldn’t keep it up. Each time he was pulled down he got closer and closer to the grinder, and each time it took him longer and longer to get away. He was on the verge of giving up. Nothing was working. He wasn’t gonna get out of this one, he could feel it in his weary bones. He tried again to contact his wife, hoping beyond hope that whatever was keeping them apart had cleared, but he got no answer.

“So sorry, luv. Bloody well should’ve known to listen to you, pet. Never should’ve come,” he croaked out, his voice raspy, rough. The pain that covered his skin was getting worse. It was getting harder and harder for him to ignore it, to block out the singeing, searing pain. He just didn’t have the strength to fight it any longer.

“Fee-fi-fo-fum! I smell the blood of an Englishman! Be he live, or be he dead, I'll grind his bones to make my bread,” Spike’s gravelly voice rang out in the darkness.

He began to laugh madly as he quit swimming, quit struggling against the current. He was resigned to his fate. The giant demon would grind his bones to make its bread. There was nothing he could do to stop it. His muscles were nothing more than quivering, aching lumps of sinew and flesh, unable to function even one second longer. He had nothing else to give.

“Love you, Buffy. Reckon I’ll find out ‘bout those spiders in limbo first-hand now.”

Spike turned around, he wasn’t going into that pepper-grinder feet first; head first would better. He watched as the current pulled him closer. When the grinding stones came into view, he clenched his jaw as he watched them pulverize everything that entered – fish, driftwood, rocks. He closed his eyes. It would only be another few seconds and it would be over. He pictured Buffy and their children. That was what he wanted to hold in his heart as he faced limbo and the trials he knew would follow.

Tears built behind his lids as his family’s faces morphed from the joyous memories he wanted to carry with him to bleak looks of abandonment. He thought of Bess and wished he could get the Gem to her – to give her the light back. He pictured Bess going home and returning nothing but his duster and boots to Buffy. He could see his wife trying to explain to the children that those meager objects were all that remained of their father. The confused looks and tearful exclamations of the children burned in his mind’s eye. But Dad promised he’d be home soon, he could hear Annie croaking out through her tears. Dad promised!  



Spike’s eyes flew open. The faces of his children remained in front of his open eyes, overlaying everything. It was as if they were the sun and he’d stared at it them too long – they were burned on his retinas. He reached out and put his hands on either side of the opening to the ‘Chop-O-Matic’, fighting the unbelievably strong pull of the demon’s digestive system. Debris piled up behind him, pushing against his back as his body partially blocked the flow. Spike struggled against the vortex, bracing his feet on either side, as well. He roared in effort, trying to push away. He had to fight – for them, for Buffy. He’d promised.

But it was too late – he was too close, too exhausted, the current was too strong. His hands and feet were sliding on the slick, mucous-covered walls of the stomach – it was going to suck him in, after all.

A spontaneous prayer of sorts formed in his mind and silently hurtled out into the universe. You wankers know you need me! Your bloody Tetrad needs me! The Slayer needs me! Think of all those soddin’ prophecies you’ll have to rewrite! You good for nothing, buggerin' son of a…

Just as his hands slid through the opening, he was lifted away from the grinding bowels by a sudden surge in the volume of liquid and by the monster turning in the ocean. He was suddenly surrounded by the gastric acid, nowhere near the grist mill any longer. Bubbles, debris, and rotted sea creatures whirled around him in the dark, shredding his wet suit and his skin – but that didn’t matter. That was so much better than the alternative.

Then, as if someone had actually heard his prayers and hadn’t taken offense, he was out of the churning bile and on dry land … so to speak. He was high up on the side of the slick ‘cavern’, his body was wedged in a fold in the lining of the demon’s stomach. The acid here was worse – undiluted by the sea water below, but at least he didn’t have to swim or fight. He could simply endure it – this he knew how to do.

Spike closed his eyes and drew in several deep breaths, letting each one out slowly. The putrid, fishy odor of the bile didn’t even bother him any longer; it just felt good to breathe again. His skin burned and itched as deep blisters formed, scabbed over, and then healed; his muscles trembled and ached painfully from hours or perhaps days of overexertion. He doubted there was one inch of his body that didn’t hurt, from his eyeballs to his entrails. But at least he wasn’t vampire pâté – that had to be counted as a check in the 'plus' column.

“Uhhh … didn’t really mean the last bit,” Spike rasped into the darkness, his vocal cords felt like he’d swallowed a gallon of acid – which he certainly had. “Now that we got an understandin’, let’s talk about gettin’ me the bloody hell outta ‘ere.”

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Stand, by Rascal Flatts on YouTube  }}


You feel like a candle in a hurricane
Just like a picture with a broken frame
Alone and helpless
Like you've lost your fight
But you'll be alright, you'll be alright

[Chorus:]
Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause it’s all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad you get strong
Wipe your hands shake it off
Then you Stand, Then you stand
Life's like a novel
With the end ripped out
The edge of a canyon
With only one way down
Take what you're given before its gone
Start holding on, keep holding on

Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend till you break
Cause it's all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad, you get strong
Wipe your hands, shake it off
Then you stand, then you stand

Every time you get up
And get back in the race
One more small piece of you
Starts to fall into place
Oh

[Repeat Chorus]
End Notes:
TBC ....
Now we know what's happened to Spike and what pain Buffy felt when she opened the portal. We'll get back to Buffy and Annie next and see what's happening there and also what's been happening with the rest of the Scoobies and, yes, MacKenzie, too. Love hearing from you - don't be shy!
Hurt by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Buffy’s made it home with Annie. Will modern medicine be able to combat the demonic infection surging within their daughter’s body and heal her wounds?
**
To those of you who've asked for a warning, the angst begins in earnest in this chapter and continues for a while from here with some small respites to restock the kleenex supply.
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
A little Historical Trivia about a couple of things that will be talked about later:

Marshmallows:
The use of marshmallow to make a candy dates back to ancient Egypt, where the recipe called for extracting sap from the marshmallow plant and mixing it with nuts and honey. Another pre-modern recipe uses the pith of the marshmallow plant, rather than the sap. The stem was peeled back to reveal the soft and spongy pith, which was boiled in sugar syrup and dried to produce a soft, chewy confection. Candymakers in early 19th century France made the innovation of whipping up the marshmallow sap and sweetening it, to make a confection similar to modern marshmallow. The candy was very popular, but its manufacture was labor-intensive. It wasn’t until 1948 that an extrusion process was developed by the American Alex Doumak. This invention allowed marshmallows to be manufactured in a fully automated way.

Chocolate:
By 1831 John Cadbury’s cocoa and drinking chocolate was getting more and more popular. He rented a small factory in Crooked Lane not far from his shop and became a 'manufacturer of drinking chocolate and cocoa'. It was the start of Cadbury as we know it today. A price list from 1842 shows that John Cadbury sold eleven sorts of cocoa, and sixteen different lines of drinking chocolate – some as a pressed block, some as a powder. Customers would scrape a little off the block and mix it with hot milk or water.

**~**

Current day, Wednesday, April, 20th, 2011, 6am, Unexpected Universe:

Just as the sun was beginning to burn the spring chill from the air and force the dark shadows that covered the parking lot at the Green Grocer back into hiding, the portal near the buggy corral began to glow and flicker with a light that rivaled the rising sun’s rays. Within seconds, a dark figure was ejected from the portal and landed with a dull thud on the pavement several feet away. The man writhed on the blacktop trying to get air back into his lungs for several minutes before he finally struggled to his feet and looked around warily.

There was no one about … no one to see his escape. Perfect.

He started to move away as the light from the portal faded and it snapped closed with an audible 'pop'. He had just begun to blend into the shadows, which had returned to their battle with the rising sun, when he saw the prone figures of the Slayer and her daughter near the road. He hesitated. He stood there weighing his options … did he help them? Ignore them? What would the Slayer do if she discovered him? Send him back?

He slowly walked over to the pair as he tried to decide the best course of action – best course for him, that is, not for the Slayer. It had been a long, long while since he’d been this close to such a beautiful woman. He couldn’t help but kneel down and trace the outline of Buffy’s lips with a trembling finger as he studied her face. He looked around again – no one was there to see … he could … he could take her with him. He sighed heavily as he trailed that finger down her throat, past her collarbone and over the curve of her breast, if only he had somewhere to take her. Money he had; in fact he was loaded. He’d brought millions of dollars of the worthless commodity with him, but he had no place to go, no stronghold, no lair – yet.

“Perhaps later,” he whispered as he stood up and moved away, keeping a wary eye out for any witness to his escape from hell.

**~**

Buffy felt like she was in a giant, commercial washing machine. Her body was being turned this way and that, lifted up and dropped, sloshed around mercilessly in its dark bowels. She felt as if she was a lone dirty sock in desperate need of scrubbing. She had no idea how right she was, at least about the dark bowels part. The liquid that she was being bathed in sizzled against her skin like acid and left painful, raw, burning wounds all over her body. It smelled like … Buffy scrunched her nose up. It was an unappetizing combo of rotten fish, salt water, seaweed, and bile. She tried to find something to grab onto in order to stop the incessant tumbling, first head over heels then side to side then completely upside down. Well, at least she thought it was upside down; it was hard to tell really which way was up as the acidic liquid splashed around her and threw her around the cavernous washing machine.

The enclosure was as black as the deepest, darkest cave she’d ever been in. The walls she kept hitting were slick, slimy even, and pliable. They seemed to have a life of their own as they churned and undulated endlessly. Buffy realized immediately that this was some kind of dream, because the wounds on her skin that should’ve been growing, getting worse from the acid bath she was immersed in, were little more than a nuisance for her.

It seemed like only a moment before she was in the parking lot carrying Annie towards the road … then … what had happened? She paused a moment to think and it finally dawned on her: she’d opened the bond with Spike. She realized almost immediately the reason her wounds weren't getting worse was because the pain she felt wasn't hers, it was Spike’s. Oh God, he was in such excruciating agony! Did that mean Spike was here somewhere in the darkness? And just where was 'here', anyway? She tried to see around her, to make out something that would give her a clue, but it was impossible to see anything in the blackness.

Suddenly, a gush of cold, salty water poured in and she was completely submerged … another sign that it was a dream of some sort: she could still breathe. The tossing about slowed with the influx of what seemed to be frigid seawater and Buffy swam through it, trying to find where she was and if Spike was here too.

“Spike!” she called out, despite being under the deluge of water, turning around in a circle and trying desperately to see something, anything.

She realized that wasn’t going to work … she needed to sense him, not see him. She closed her eyes and concentrated on the bond, on feeling his presence tingle her spine, but the acid on her skin made everything feel like it was tingling. She tried harder, focusing on his pain.

Finally!

“Spike!” she yelled again and began to swim up … or down … she wasn’t sure, towards where her senses said he was. She broke the surface of the brackish, acidic water, but still everything was dark. The liquid around her lurched and dipped, waves crested and broke over her head like someone had put her in a jug that was half full of water and begun to shake it up.

“Spike!” she called again. Finally out from under the water she heard it: she heard him moaning.

She raced through the dark waves of salty, acid water towards the sound, reaching out with her hands to try and find him in the blackness until she hit the side of the jug … the undulating, wave-machine, apparently alive, jug.

“Spike!” she called again and then realized he was somewhere above her, not in the water.

She searched for purchase on the slick sides. It was like trying to free climb on a snot-covered mountain of stone that moved. She fell back several times as a foothold or handhold simply disappeared from under her. This wasn’t working. Buffy clenched her jaw and focused on the bond. If she'd been drawn to him through the bond, then she had control, she just needed to assert her will. Using the pain as her guide, she reached out to her husband. Suddenly, she was out of the cold water and sitting next to him on what seemed to be a ledge of some sort.

“God, Spike!” she began as she felt his body, his face, his arms and legs for injuries. His clothes, or what she realized was the remnants of a wetsuit, were in tatters, his skin was burned horribly by the acid which dripped down the walls of the … what was this? Some kind of demonic, underwater, acid cavern?

He moaned painfully when she touched his burnt flesh. Even as the Gem of Amarra healed his wounds, it was re-burned off almost as quickly, in a never-ending dance of torture. He scratched at his skin with his nails, the new flesh itching mercilessly as it grew to replace that which had been stripped away.

“Spike, baby … talk to me,” she begged, leaning in close to his face as she tried to still his hands with hers. She put her body over his, trying to shield him from the acid, but she knew it wasn’t really helping him. She wasn’t actually there; her mind was simply transported to him through the bond. Wherever he was, he was in horrible pain, trapped, and apparently alone.

“Buffy,” he croaked out, his voice weak and low.

“I’m here now. Tell me how to find you,” she pleaded with him.

“Sea … mon...ster,” he stammered out as he tried to reach a hand out to touch her, despite the pain it caused when he moved; he just had to touch her one time. How long had he been here trying to reach her? Days? Weeks? Years? He wasn’t certain … just as he wasn’t really certain that she was here now.

Since landing on his ledge, he’d tried reasoning with the PTB many times. After that, he tried screaming, threatening, cajoling, even begging. They never answered. Apparently he’d gotten all the help from them he was getting. For a long while, he kept hope alive that the Navy, along with Bess and Angel, would find the creature and kill it as had been the mission … but that hope faded quite a while ago. He’d considered trying to escape through the throat again, however, he feared that if he failed, the PTB wouldn’t be generous enough to plop him back up here on his ledge. They had probably gotten tired of Spike pestering them and would quite likely let him go through the grinder next time just to shut him the hell up. So, all he had left was disconnecting his mind from the pain in his body and trying to contact Buffy.

She’d come to him many times in the dark, but later he always realized it was just his own mind playing tricks on him. He was starting to see things and hear things that weren’t really there. The disconnect in his mind was getting harder and harder to reconnect back to reality. He hadn’t had any sustenance in a good while, he wasn’t sure how long. He’d gone long stretches before without blood, but the constant healing triggered by the Gem was draining him quickly.  Add lack of blood to the searing pain and itching on his skin and the never-bloody-ending gurgling of the beast’s stomach and what do you get? A combination that had him toddling right ‘round the bend. He was still lucid enough to realize that he was going quite mad, and that was the most frightening thing of all.

“Spike, baby,” Buffy cooed as she touched a palm to his face gently. “Where are you? Where’s Bess? Angel? Are they here?”

She could feel him shake his head. “Dunno…” he muttered at last. “Inside … pussy,” he gurgled. It was a joke – his own personal joke. It got funnier every time he told it to himself.

Buffy furrowed her brow as she tried to see him in the blackness, finally giving up and simply pressing her cheek against his to feel him. She closed her eyes and worked to figure out what he was talking about…then she heard Tara’s words from the other dimension, ‘The guys just like to say ‘Octopussy’ … they’re perpetually twelve…’

“The demon octopus … you’re inside it? This is its … stomach?” Buffy asked in alarm, her mouth near his ear.

“Eaten … by … a … pussy,” Spike burbled, a rough, wet laugh escaping his throat. It just got funnier and funnier.

“Oh God,” Buffy moaned. She wished to heaven she could see – was Bess here too? “Where are the others, Spike? Where’s Bess?”

Spike shook his head. “Gone to tea, I reckon. Probably down to Piccadilly Circus,” her murmured against her. “No tea here … just soda pop … fizz, fizz, fizz on your skin. Pour it on the battery cables t’ keep ‘em clean. No worries then … just need a jump and we’ll be off.”

“Spike, listen to me,” Buffy pleaded with him, lifting up and holding his face between her palms. “I’ll find you. Don’t give up, ok? I promise I’ll find you and get you home.”

“Right, no worries. Be home for tea, then. Do ya’ want strawberries and cream or just toast and jam? Mother makes the best lemon curd. All the ladies at the Empress Club rave over it,” Spike continued to ramble, his voice morphing from the vampire's rough-and-tumble, adopted accent to the cultured, natural one of William. “But strawberries are in season and Miss Nellie just procured some fresh, sweet cream at the market this morning.”

Buffy sighed heavily and dropped a soft kiss on his lips. His mouth felt rough and hard, as if his lips weren’t even there. “Spike, I’ll be back. I’ll get help and find you, I promise. Can you understand me?”

“Lemon curd for the lady, then – I know Mother will be chuffed t’ bits.”

“I love you, Spike.”

“I love you too, Buffy,” Spike murmured, coming back to himself momentarily. He reached a hand for her again – if he could just touch her hair, he’d know she was real. But then, before he could tangle his fingers in her tresses, she was suddenly gone. A mirage, just as all the others had been.

Spike sighed heavily and tears of frustration mixed with the sea water and acid bath and burnt painful streaks down his cheeks. His hand hung in the putrid, empty air, still reaching for her. He dropped his arm tiredly and began to help Mother and Miss Nellie prepare tea for their guests. Perhaps Buffy would attend, after all. He so wanted Mother to meet her.

**~**

Buffy shot upright, her eyes wide with panic as she looked around and tried to get her bearings.

“Buff!” Xander exclaimed, jumping up from his seat at her bedside.

“Xander! What’s? Where? How …” Buffy stammered.

“Hospital … and I don’t know the answer to the other questions,” Xander told her as he moved up to her side. “What the hell happened? Annie’s …” Xander’s voice trailed off and fear seemed to seep out of his glistening eyes as he looked to Buffy for answers.


“Annie! Oh, God – her legs,” Buffy remembered. “Is she … where is she? I need to see her.”

Xander put his hands on her shoulders in an attempt to keep her still. “She’s in surgery – you can’t see her. Buffy, what happened? We’ve been looking for you for days! Where have you been?”



“Oh, God! MacKenzie! Is she alright?” Buffy demanded, looking at her friend pleadingly. She saw such a contrast between this man and the Xander she met in the other world. This one wore no scar across his face, had no constant scowl on his lips, there was no hardness to his eyes, only worry … boatloads of worry.

Xander nodded. “She’s ok. She was a little dehydrated, but they got her fixed up and she’s ok. We found her still in her car seat in the minivan out at the docks.”

“The docks?”

“It was stripped bare; the keys were still in it. We looked everywhere for you and the doodlebug, Willow even did locator spells for you guys … a big zero. What the hell happened? What happened to Annie?”

“We fell through a portal to another dimension – she was attacked by giant bats … among other things,” Buffy explained quickly.

“Bats? A portal? But Willow and Tara took vacation time and came down – they did that … ‘walk around and act like they’re looking for something magical’ thing. They searched all around near the van.” Xander swirled his fingers around in the air as he spoke, imitating the ‘looking for something magical thing’ the witches had done. “They didn’t find anything,” he told her, dropping his hands dramatically.

“No – the portal was at the new Green Grocer … in the parking lot. That’s where I left the Blue Bomber, not anywhere near the docks! I’d just gotten 'Kenzie strapped in when Annie cut her arm and … I had no choice, I had to go after her,” Buffy continued to explain frantically.

“Oh man! Someone must’ve stolen the minivan – with MacKenzie in it, and took it down there to strip out,” Xander realized. “We were looking in the wrong place,” he moaned, rolling not only his eyes but his whole head in frustration.

Xander turned his soulful eyes back to her, and settled his hands back on her shoulders. “Buffy, there’s something else,” he began solemnly.



“I know.”

“No – you don’t, it’s Spike,” Xander continued.

“I know – he was eaten by a big, demonic pussy,” Buffy sighed, rubbing tiredly at her eyes.

Xander frowned. “Not sure I would’ve put it that way. Were you channeling Anya just then? How…?”

“The bond … when I was out, I … I went to him through the bond … like in a dream. He’s in the thing’s stomach, we have to find him, get him out of there,” Buffy instructed, as she started to get out of the bed.

Xander backed up a step to let her up. “Yeah, well, that’s the thing. They’ve been looking for him for five days … today makes six. The demon octopus won’t stay in one place long enough for them to catch it and it won’t come to the surface for them to shoot it. They’re actually having a hard time just following it, it keeps moving out of the range of their radar or sonar or whatever. Willow’s out there with Bess and Angel on the Navy ship tracking it magically.

“Buffy – they can’t keep looking for him forever. They … they said one more day – a week is pretty much their limit for looking for anyone,” Xander explained ominously.

“What!? He was out their saving their asses, saving the whole Pacific seaboard, keeping a nuclear sub from melting down, and they can only look for a week? What kind of stupid rule is that? He’s alive – he’s inside that damn thing, they need to … shoot it with a tranquilizing torpedo or something, string it up, and cut it open!” Buffy argued. “Didn’t they ever watch ‘Jaws’? Where’s Captain Quint when you need him?”



“I know, Buff … I get it. I already talked to Giles and he and Wes are looking into renting our own boat. Maybe we can get a faster one that would be able to keep up with it. We’ll keep looking, I promise,” Xander assured her.

“Xan, he’s losing his marbles down there, we have to find a way to get him out like now. Can’t Willow mojo him out or … drop a magical net over the thing or just transport it up onto dry land? I'll be happy to hack it up ... got a whole set of Ginsu knives - we'll have sushi.”

Xander let out a deflated sigh. “She’s tried – but it seems to be … like on a different wave length or something. It’s like the thing’s from a dimension that’s got a different magical tuning fork than ours, or it’s had its … I don’t know … molecules changed somehow. She thinks it might’ve happened when it came through to our dimension from wherever it came from. She said that could happen if there wasn’t actually a portal opened up – if it was just like ‘forced through the ectoplasmic fabric that keeps the dimensions from colliding.’” Xander held his fingers up and did air quotes on the last part while rolling his eyes.

“I don’t know, Buff,” he sighed heavily, dropping his arms to his sides. “Willow had lots of ideas and big words, but the bottom line is it just slips right through her spells. She can’t even track it, she’s tracking Spike…and that’s just barely working,” Xander explained. “She can’t get him out or stop the demon.”

Buffy sighed heavily and rubbed tiredly at her eyes again with both hands.

“The good news is, Dani and Billy are fine. Only worried to death about everyone being suddenly missing when they got home from school last Friday. MacKenzie is fine now too,” Xander added, trying to cheer her up.

Buffy nodded and took a deep breath. “That’s good … thanks, Xan.”

**~**

Buffy immediately checked herself out of the hospital and now sat in the surgical waiting room chewing on her fingernails as she waited for the doctor performing the surgery on Annie to come out. Xander had gone to get her something to eat. He’d called Tara, who was at the mansion with Dani, Billy, and MacKenzie, and told her that Buffy was awake. While Willow went out on the ship to try and rescue Spike, Tara had stayed in Sunnydale, trying to assuage the Weckerlys’ children’s fears. The white witch was bringing them to the hospital now.



After Xander called Tara, Buffy used his phone to call the Navy ship that was looking for Spike and the octopus. The man that answered the call put her on hold as he went to get Bess to the phone.

After a few minutes, Bess’ voice came on the line. “Hello?”

“Bess! It’s Buffy. What happened? Are you alright? What’s going on? Have you found Spike?” Buffy fired the questions off like a Gatling gun.

“Mom!! Are you alright? Where have you been? I tried calling you when it happened – then no one could find you guys,” Bess rattled off. She sounded far, far away and even younger than her fourteen human years.

“I know, honey. I’m sorry. Annie and I got pulled into a portal and sucked into another dimension,” Buffy began to explain.

“Another dimension? What … what does that mean? Are you alright?” Bess asked, confused. She hadn't had any experience with other dimensions ... unless you counted the Council's dungeon.

“It’s a really long story, I’ll tell you later, ok?” Buffy put her off. “What’s going on there? Are you alright? What about Spike?”

“I’m fine. It’s just … I’m sooo sorry! The thing just dragged Spike right by me and I reached out and … God, I couldn’t hold him! I tried so hard to pull him back but it was too strong,” Bess blurted out in a gush of anguish. “Buffy, it ate him!”

Buffy blinked her tears back, covering her eyes with one hand. “It’s not your fault, ok? We’ll find him, everything will be alright,” Buffy assured her. She hoped it sounded more convincing than she felt.

“They want to stop looking! I’ve … God, Buffy, I keep fighting them on it, but I don’t know how long …” Bess began.

“I know, Xander told me. We’re gonna try to get our own boat,” Buffy told her. “Bess – what’s not being done that should be done?”

Bess took a deep breath and the line went silent a moment. For a second, Buffy thought the call had dropped. She pulled the phone away to look at it, then heard her daughter’s voice again and lifted it back to her ear quickly.

“Welll…” Bess drawled. Buffy could hear her moving, then her voice got lower and she sounded like she was in a tunnel. “I was talking to Billy, and he said that he looked it up, and octopuses … I mean octopi … are attracted to the color white. It’s like a magnet to them. The stupid sailors here think I’m crazy, but I was thinking: if we took one of these AUVs and painted it white…” Bess suddenly stopped talking.

“Yeah?” Buffy prodded.

“Ummm …” Bess cleared her throat and Buffy could hear voices in the background. When Bess spoke again, her voice was even lower. “We’d basically have to steal one of these things, ‘cos they won’t do it. They say they’ve already lost three AUVs on this mission and that equipment is ‘too expensive to use as bait’,” Bess mocked in a tinny voice. “Anyway, if we were to … somehow get one and paint it white and send it down there and get the demon to follow it … like into a cave or something. I was thinking that Angel and I could be there waiting for it. We could trap it and kill it. Spike was right, you kill them by puncturing them right between the eyes – so if we can get it confined…”

“You could shoot it between the eyes with a harpoon and get Spike out,” Buffy finished her thought.

“Yeah… but – we have to have something to use as bait. Something that can go deep, move fast, and that’s white. And we’d have to find a cave around here or somewhere to trap it. That damn thing moves like the wind – there’s no way we can swim fast enough to catch it if it bolts. Even the boat can barely keep up with it.”

“What does Willow think?” Buffy asked.

“She thinks it’s worth a try, but the sailors won’t …” Bess stopped talking again. Buffy could hear more voices in the background.

“Ok, ummm … let me talk to everyone here and see what we can come up with, ok?” Buffy told her.

“Ok, but talk fast, ‘cos they’re getting ready to kick us off this floating frat club and I don’t know where we’d get another one of those machines on our own. They are kinda expensive,” Bess acknowledged. “Willow checked.”

Buffy nodded, thinking to herself. “Do you have to commandeer the whole boat or can you just steal one of the vehicles and … like the computer that runs it?”

“I don’t know – I’ll ask Willow,” Bess admitted. “Don’t you want to know what Angel thinks? He says...”

“Nope. Couldn’t care less," Buffy interrupted her, knowing just by the tone of her daughter's voice that Angel didn't think it was a good idea. "Just talk to Willow and see how much … borrowing we’d have to do, ok?” Buffy instructed her.

Buffy saw Tara and the kids turn the corner at the end of the corridor. “Ok, Bess – I have to go now. Tell Willow I’ll call her later about the magic problem she’s having with it. I think I know where the thing came from.”




“Ok, I’ll tell her.”

“And Bess?”

“Yeah?”

“It wasn’t your fault, ok? We’ll get him back, don’t worry,” Buffy assured her.

“Ok. I’m still … so sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry. You did everything you could. I love you, Bess. Be careful, ok?”

“Middle name. I love you too,” Bess replied before Buffy disconnected the call.

A chorus of, “Mama! Mama!” rang down the long, sterile hallway of the hospital. The excited voices seemed to fill the whole area with fresh, clean air and take away the stench of ‘hospital’.

Buffy stood up and moved quickly down the bright white linoleum to meet them. She dropped down to her knees as the twins rushed up to her and she pulled them both into tight hugs, dropping kisses in their blond hair and over their faces. “Oh, my babies! I missed you so much!” Buffy exclaimed as she nuzzled her face between theirs and held them to her.

“Are you okay? Where have you been? Why didn’t you call? We were so worried! Did you bring Papa with you? Where’s Annie?” their questions were fired off in rapid succession, neither child giving her a chance to answer.

Tara made it up to them, pushing Eddie in a stroller and carrying MacKenzie. Buffy stood up and hugged the white witch’s neck before taking the baby from her arms. Buffy nuzzled her face against the small redhead’s soft skin, sighing in relief as tears welled in her eyes. Xander said she was ok, but Buffy could actually believe it now. The baby cooed and gurgled then reached her small hand out and grabbed a fistful of Buffy’s hair and tugged – hard. “I missed you too, sweet girl,” Buffy whispered against the redhead’s ear.

Dani and Billy hugged her legs, afraid to let her go lest she disappear again, as they kept repeating their questions. Buffy moved over to the line of chairs and sat down. The twins clambered onto the seats next to her, each pressing against her, trying to stay as close as possible.

“Annie’s here – she’s in surgery,” Buffy explained, dabbing at her eyes. “Your Papa’s … not here yet, but Aunt Willow and Bess and Angel are looking for him and … I just know they’ll find him soon, okay?”

“Where did you go?!” Billy asked. His big, blue eyes were full of worry as he searched hers for assurance that she wouldn’t go away again.

“Annie and I fell into …” Buffy stopped and blew out a breath, trying to think how to explain portals and dimensions to seven year olds. She cleared her throat. “You know how in Chutes and Ladders, if you land at the top of a chute, you slide down and can get plopped back at the bottom again?” Two blond heads bobbed their understanding. “Well, Annie and I sort of landed on a chute and we got dropped way down far away and it took us a while to find a ladder to get back here.”



“When we got home from school and you weren’t there, we tried your cell phone, but you didn’t answer,” Dani explained with a slight edge of accusation in her voice.

“I know, baby – it’s because I left my phone in the minivan – I didn’t have it with me. I’m so sorry I wasn’t there when you got home. I really didn’t mean for that to happen; I didn’t mean to scare you,” Buffy apologized.

"Billy was scared, but I wasn't," Dani asserted, giving her mother a defiant, brave look.

"You were so!" Billy argued, glaring at his sister.

"Was not."

"Was."

"Not."

Buffy held her hands up in a "T", calling for time-out. "It's ok to be scared ... I was scared too," she assured them both.

Billy huffed a little because Dani had gotten the last word before their mother stopped them, but let it go. After a moment he asked, “What’s wrong with Annie?” His lips formed a worried pout as he clung to Buffy's side.

“She got hurt – her legs got hurt,” Buffy explained.

“When you fell down the chute?” Dani wondered.

Buffy sighed. “No, later – she got hurt later. The place we landed was … kinda scary and there were some … uhhh …” Buffy let out a breath. She didn’t want to scare them any more than they already were, but didn’t want to lie to them either. “Well, there were some bad vampires there and … they hurt her.”



“Did you kill them?” Dani asked, punching her hand in the air like it had a stake in it.

Buffy smiled slightly and a tear slid down her cheek. “I killed some of them … actually Annie killed one too. She was very brave! There were a whole lot of them, though…I couldn’t kill them all.”

Xander came up with food and Tara took the baby back so Buffy could eat. She was ravenous, even bland hospital cafeteria food tasted like heaven right now. She’d only eaten a little bit, talking to the twins in between bites, when Xander pointed down the hallway. Buffy turned and saw a doctor in surgical scrubs coming out of the double doors that led to the surgical and recovery rooms. Buffy sat the tray down and stood up nervously. She held her hand up, silently asking her friends to keep the kids there while she spoke with the surgeon.

Xander and Tara exchanged a worried look. They’d seen Annie’s wounds and the infection when they’d been called to the hospital. The Green Grocer’s store manager found the two unconscious girls in his parking lot that morning and called an ambulance. Luckily, one of the emergency room nurses on duty recognized Buffy and Annie – she’d been on duty the night a pregnant Buffy had been brought in with severe pain in her abdomen. She was the nurse that had taken the children to the lounge for a donut while the doctor spoke with the frightened parents. Otherwise, they would’ve been admitted as ‘Jane Does’, because there was no ID on them at all.



Xander and Tara, along with the twins, watched from a distance as Buffy spoke with the doctor. The doctor was shaking his head and they could see the words, “I’m sorry,” form on his lips several times. Xander had just started to stand up and go join Buffy when she suddenly collapsed as if she’d been shot. Down on hands and knees, she retched and all the food she’d just eaten lurched violently from her stomach and covered the shiny linoleum.

“What!? What is it?!” Xander demanded as he reached her and the doctor, who was trying to comfort her.

The doctor shook his head regretfully. “I’m sorry,” he repeated for possibly the tenth time since he began talking. “We couldn’t save her legs. The infection was too widespread… the damage too severe.”

“Oh, God,” Xander murmured as he dropped down next to Buffy and pulled her to him. Buffy accepted his embrace blindly as uncontrollable sobs wracked her body. She knew Annie was in trouble – knew she would die in the other dimension without proper medical treatment, but she thought if she got home everything would be okay … it would be fine.



This was 2011!! There were millions of drugs; there were hundreds of antibiotics … there were countless miracles of modern medicine. They didn’t just chop people’s legs off anymore … did they? That’s what they did in the Civil War. This was 2011!! This could not be happening!

Buffy knew if she just got Annie back here, back to civilization, then she’d be okay. All her friends in the other dimension gave their lives to send them back. Annie had to be okay. She was supposed to be the understudy for Clara in the Nutcracker. That’s all she’d wanted to do since she was six years old, dance as Clara … and now … This couldn’t be real. She must still be dreaming.

“Oh, God, Xander … please wake me up … please … please tell me this isn’t real… please…” Buffy begged him through her sobs.

Xander had no answer – he couldn’t wake her up, even as Tara and the twins came up to them to find out what was wrong, he had no answer for her, no miracle. This nightmare was real.

Buffy automatically opened the bond with Spike without thinking, desperately seeking his comfort, his solace. She needed to feel him near her, near her heart and soul, both painfully raw, guilt-ridden, shattered, crushed … utterly defeated.

She suddenly began to writhe in agony in Xander’s arms as the bond connected with Spike. Her skin felt like it was covered with the painful and constant burns that he was enduring. She screamed as all of Spike’s pain washed over her body; she felt like she’d been dropped into a vat of molten lava.  In the dungeon he’d been able to keep the bond opened just a crack so she wouldn’t feel his pain, but he wasn’t lucid enough for that now. He’d been reaching out for her in vain since the whole nightmare began a week ago, and when the connection was finally made, it surged through to her, bringing all his agony with it.

Xander tried to hold her, keep her from convulsing and thrashing dangerously against the hard floor under them. Not understanding what was happening, nurses and orderlies converged on the pair, finally getting Buffy sedated, and her wild convulsions and heart-wrenching screams stopped.

Buffy felt like she was flying through the sky and the air was made of fire … No, that was wrong. The air wasn’t made of fire; fire fell down like rain and filled the air. Torrents of burning embers fell from an ochre sky. It licked at her body, burning her flesh until she was nothing but a skeleton with blackened, peeling skin barely holding her bones in place. She looked at her hands, turning them over and over, her eyes wide with worry and confusion. Bony knuckles pressed against the thin, burnt flesh and her blackened skin cracked open when she closed her fist. She could see the white bones and cartilage beneath, but it had stopped hurting. She looked at her nails and thought she could use a manicure.

Buffy shook her head. No … that … where had that come from? She should be worried about her bones and her skin, not her nails. She was floating in the burning downpour, so high she really couldn’t see anything but the flames. The air all around her danced and flickered with bright blue and yellow fire.

Too bad she didn’t have some marshmallows to roast.

She shook her head again, lucid enough to know that this wasn’t real and that those thoughts were strange even for her. Drugs … they must’ve have drugged her, sedated her, she realized at length. She sat down on a smoldering cloud of smoke and rubbed her burnt and peeling fingers over her face. The skin of her palms came off and fell from the cloud, incinerating in the rain as it dropped away, leaving only the skeleton of her hands where her palms had been. She closed her eyes to the sight and tired to assure herself that this wasn’t real … it couldn’t be real. After sitting in silence for some time with her eyes pressed closed against the bright fires that surrounded her and the horror of her own decimated body, she finally remembered what had precipitated this – Annie. Annie … Oh, God, Annie.

Behind her closed lids, images of their eldest daughter flashed like fireworks, burning the images into her closed lids like photographic negatives, each new one layering atop the one before. Their beautiful little girl with the grace of a dancer and the heart of a lion, with the whole world in front of her, would now have to face that world from a wheelchair. Buffy scoffed as the doctor’s words of regret and assurance that rang in her mind, something about ‘incredible breakthroughs in prosthetics’ and the prospects of living a ‘full life’.

Would she be able to dance as Clara in the Nutcracker with prosthetics? Become a prima ballerina if she’d found that to be her heart’s true desire and calling? Could she run through the surf on the beach? Skimboard? Climb a mountain just because it was there? Skip happily down the sidewalk to the park? Play a rowdy game of soccer with her family? Dance with a cute boy at the prom? And what about later … making love to a boy, to a man? How would Annie ever feel comfortable in her own body now? Comfortable enough, confident enough to … to ever let herself fully experience the joys that come with being a woman in love. What if she retreats into a cocoon of despair or bitterness and never even allows a boy close enough to get to know her, never gives anyone the chance to love her?


Buffy honestly couldn’t imagine life if she couldn’t walk – it was something beyond her comprehension. She knew people did it, lots of people and lots of people led happy, productive lives that way, as the doctor assured her between his apologies, but it was out of Buffy’s ability to fathom.

Pictures of Annie … from her first steps all the way through every dance recital she’d ever been in, to dancing as she sang along to the Band Hero game with her siblings, to just the other day, running from and fighting the demons, and staking her first vampire, raced through Buffy’s mind.



Then the dreams Buffy held for her daughter’s future flashed against her closed lids. Dreams of dances and dates, of going to the prom, of being a cheerleader, maybe a homecoming queen, dreams of Spike walking her down the aisle at her wedding and Annie playing in the park with her own children, riding bikes with them and playing in the ocean with them. The visions no sooner materialized in front of her eyes than they burst into flames. Cinders of a life that her daughter might’ve had floated slowly down inside her and settled in the dark pit of despair that was her heart, burning painfully as they died an agonizing death.

Every dream was now just an excruciating reminder of what would never be for their little girl, and the caustic bile of guilt rose in Buffy’s throat. She should’ve protected her, should’ve left the hold of the ship when Spike told her to … should’ve done more, should’ve never taken her daughter on a patrol in the first place … she knew better. Buffy’s own pride goaded her into going with Spike and the others on their mission and now Annie was paying the price for it – Annie’s whole future, her entire life, was paying a staggering, unfathomable price for it. She’d let her daughter down and now Annie was footing the bill for Buffy’s failure and stubborn pride. Paying the piper with crushed dreams and squandered potential.

Buffy covered her head with her burnt and bony arms as sobs wracked her body. How was she going to explain this to Spike? How could she tell him that she’d failed their daughter? How could she explain that his little girl lost both legs just below the hip? Gone. Forever. How could she face Annie? How would she be able to help her through this when she couldn’t even look her in the eye? How could she buoy her daughter’s spirits and encourage her when Buffy felt so completely deflated and hopeless? How would her daughter ever forgive her? Why should she?

“God, I’m so sorry … so sorry…” Buffy cried to the fiery sky.

Suddenly, the bright lights that shone red through her closed lids died and turned black, she blinked her eyes open and looked around – it was dark, black; a salty, acidic tang filled her nostrils and she knew where she was.

“Spike?” Buffy called, sniffing back her tears and feeling out with her skeletal hands. She was on his ledge; he was right behind her.

“Ahhh, there you are, luv,” Spike replied, his voice hoarse and gravely, as if his vocal cords had been burnt along with his skin and muscle. He sounded so very tired and far away and the sound of it made Buffy’s heart fall even further.

His accent shifted to that of William as he spoke to her in the darkness. “Mother’s waiting … she’s so excited to have you join us this fine day. She’s been looking forward to meeting you for a good while now.”

“Spike,” Buffy moaned as she turned and laid her burnt body down next to his, cuddling against his side. “I’m so sorry, baby… I … I let her down. I failed Annie … couldn't keep her safe,” she gasped out between anguished sobs.

“Mother got hold of some Cadbury’s Drinking Chocolate for you, pet. I told her how you loved chocolate,” Spike continued in the accent of his youth. “She had Miss Nellie check all about town for it, finally found it at Hogan’s Apothecary on Great Russell Street.”



Buffy sighed heavily and rested her head on his shoulder and Spike’s arm snaked around her. Despite the pain of moving his burnt flesh, her body next to his made the pain fade a bit.

“Does it have little marshmallows in it?” Buffy wondered.

“Of course, luv. Is there any other way?”

Buffy smiled sadly and touched her hand to his cheek and Spike leaned into her touch. “No … no other way,” she agreed quietly as she closed her eyes and took comfort in the pain of the acid burning her skin through the bond.

Pain was her friend. She welcomed it to her breast like a lover. It was what she deserved for her failure to keep Annie safe and for all the other misdeeds she’d perpetrated over the last few days. She embraced it now; it covered her like a mourning shroud – engulfed her. She wanted nothing more than to drown in the hurt. Burning in this pain forever wouldn’t be long enough to pay for what she’d cost their daughter. Suddenly her betrayal of Spike with the two vampires in her dreams seemed a trivial offense … but the guilt of that never left her mind or her heart, either.

She felt like her world, her family, was coming apart at the seams and she was to blame for all of it.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Hurt by Johnny Cash on YouTube  }}

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way
End Notes:
TBC ... OH NO!!! The Weckerlys seem to have gone from the frying pan into the fire! How will Buffy deal with so many different pressures, and her own guilt, as they try to help Annie deal with this and rescue Spike. And what about the mysterious stranger that came out of the portal - who was that and what threat does he pose to her? And just where is Capt. Quint when you need him, anyway? We'll find out the answers to all those questions (well, maybe not the Capt. Quint one) over the next several chapters...
Why by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Buffy has to face Annie, and her own guilt, as the gravity of what's happened to her eldest daughter crashes down on both of them.
**
Fair warning, I think this chapter is the saddest yet. If you want to skip the most angsty part where Buffy has to tell Annie what's happened, scroll down until you find the picture of Xander giving Buffy a hug and read from there.
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
(Next day) Thursday, April 21st, 2011, 10am:

Buffy woke slowly as a low painful moan escaped her throat. Her head was fuzzy, groggy; there was a heavy fog pervading everything. Her mind was unable to focus on any one thought with any clarity. She reached a hand up to touch her head, just to make sure it was actually still attached to her body. Unfortunately, it was. She blinked her eyes slowly, squinting against the florescent light of the hospital as she struggled to sit up. She was surprised to find she was in a chair, not strapped down like a patient in the mental ward.




She leaned forward in the chair and dropped her head into her hands as the fog began to clear. Suddenly, the reality of everything came tumbling back to the forefront of her bleary mind. Annie … God, my baby girl!

Buffy had never been able to tell Spike about Annie in the dream. Well, that’s not entirely true; she did tell him, but he never understood what she was saying. He only spoke of afternoon tea and his mother wanting to meet her and how Miss Nellie had finally found the mix for hot chocolate just for the occasion, just for Buffy.

Buffy sighed heavily and scratched at the bare skin of her arms. It itched like a wound itched when it was healing – residual from the dream, she supposed.

“Well, you are alive,” Xander called a little too brightly as he came in the room with two cups of steaming coffee.

Buffy looked up finally, taking stock of where they were. Her breath caught in her throat when she realized they were in Annie’s room. Her daughter lay sleeping in the bed just a couple of feet away. The blanket covering her outlined her girlish frame and Buffy’s eyes drifted down from her angelic face to the spot just past her hips where the blanket went slack, then flat. Tears welled in Buffy’s eyes and her chin began to quiver with a fresh wave of anguish.



Xander sat down in the chair next to hers and handed her one of the coffees. “I convinced them not to re-admit you. Told them they’d save themselves a lot of paperwork ‘cos you’d just check yourself back out when you woke up. Was I right?”

Buffy finally dragged her eyes away from Annie and looked at him. It took a minute for his words to work their way through the residual tendrils of fog in her brain, but she finally nodded and took a sip of the coffee.

“Has she woken up yet?” Buffy asked. Her voice sounded like it was coming from somewhere far, far away.

“A couple of times, but not, you know, really fully awake,” Xander explained. “Just enough to ask for you or Spike … then she’d drift back off.”

Buffy nodded again and looked back at her sleeping daughter – her ballerina, and she bit down on her bottom lip until she tasted blood. “What do I do now?” Buffy whispered, licking the wound on her lip to try and seal it.

“What you always do, Buff. You keep going. You love her and you give her everything you have to give, and you make it alright,” Xander advised.



Buffy snorted a harsh, sarcastic laugh. “Nothing is going to make this alright,” she asserted in a low, rough tone. “What do I even say to her?”

“You say that you love her.”

Buffy shook her head. “I love her so much that I can’t even protect her from…”

“Mama?” Annie called, her voice gravely and hoarse from disuse.

Buffy stood and quickly handed her coffee back to Xander, then moved up next to Annie. She smoothed her daughter’s hair back from her face and dropped a soft kiss on her forehead. “I’m here baby, I’m right here,” she assured her. Buffy could tell Annie’s fever was nearly gone, which was a good sign, at least. Buffy leaned down and hugged the girl’s shoulders, resting her cheek next to her daughter’s.

“Mama…my legs hurt so much,” Annie croaked, her voice still rough and groggy, as she reached down with her hand to try and touch the offending limbs.

“Oh, baby, I’m so sorry,” Buffy moaned, pulling back to look into her eyes. Buffy had no idea what to say to her. How do you tell someone … tell a child of all people, that they don’t have their legs any longer?

“What’s the matter?” Annie asked, finally coming fully awake and seeing the distress in her mother’s eyes. “Is it … Dad? Did something happen to Dad?” she asked with growing alarm.

Buffy shook her head, then nodded, then shook it again, completely confusing the girl. “Your dad,” Buffy blew out a breath. “He’s still …” Buffy hesitated and tried to think. “He’s not here, but he’s okay,” she finally managed. “That’s not … that’s not what’s wrong, baby. Annie, honey … I just, I don’t know how to say this. I just … I’d do anything to change it.”

“Mom, what is it? You’re scaring me,” Annie told her, as tears of worry welled in her big blue eyes, matching the tears that glistened in Buffy’s.

“The doctors,” Buffy began again. “They … Honey, the infection from the bats was too bad. It … they … I … oh, fuck,” Buffy swore as she tried to breathe. She needed to think of something to tell her daughter to soften this. Something that would make it feel like her whole life hadn’t just come to an end. Because at that moment, Buffy felt very much like it had.



“Mama?”

Buffy swallowed back her tears and took a deep breath. “Annie, the doctors couldn’t save your legs. To save your life, they had to … they had to amputate them.”

Annie looked at her with confusion, shaking her head slowly from side to side as if to get the words to make sense – because they made no sense whatsoever. She could feel her legs – they hurt. The wounds from the bats still hurt … she knew it as well as she knew her own name. Annie slowly pulled the blanket up and looked down under the covers. There was a jagged disconnect in her mind – her eyes were telling her one thing, but her nerve-endings were telling her something completely different.

“I … but … I don’t … I don’t understand,” Annie stammered as the tears that had welled in her eyes began to slide down her face. “They … they hurt. It must be a trick – it’s some kind of magic, right? A trick … an evil trick!” she asserted, looking up at her mother. “The bats … must’ve been … magic or something!”

Buffy shook her head slowly, biting down on her already bleeding lip. “I’m so, so, sorry, Annie. It’s not … it’s real, it’s not a trick.”

“But – they hurt!” Annie protested vehemently as she reached a hand down to prove that her legs were actually there but just invisible. Her hand was met with nothing but empty space just a few inches below her hips. They’d left just enough to allow for prosthetics to fit onto the nubs and nothing more.

Xander stepped up next to Buffy. “It’s called phantom pain and, according to the doctor, it’s pretty common,” he offered. “It should go away on its own, but if it doesn’t they have some therapies to relieve it.”



Annie just stared at him, unbelieving, jaw hanging open, like a forgotten barn door, for several long moments.

“I don’t want it to go away! I want my legs back!” she insisted finally, anger rising in her voice while the tears continued to stream down her face. “Just … just give them back! I can live with the pain; just tell them to give me my legs back!”

Buffy’s attempt at staying calm collapsed completely. She began to sob uncontrollably and dropped down to her knees next to Annie’s bed.

“They can’t, honey – they were too infected and the infection was spreading too fast,” Xander offered solemnly as he laid an arm over Buffy’s trembling shoulders.

Annie shook her head and tried to breathe. It felt like all the air had been taken out of the room suddenly as her tears fell in torrents down her face. “But … that’s not fair! I …didn’t do anything wrong! I … was brave and … Mom said Dad would be proud and… Bitty-Buffy and … I don’t understand! Why!?” Annie began to hyperventilate as she looked back down at her legs … or what used to be her legs. “It’s not fair!” she repeated, finally dropping the blanket and covering her face with her hands as her sobs continued in earnest.

“God, Annie – I’m so sorry,” Buffy cried as she pushed herself back up and drew the distraught girl into a hug.



“Why, Mama? Why? What did I do wrong?” Annie asked, over and over again as she clung to Buffy. Annie’s tears seemed to come straight from her heart. She could tell because of how much her chest hurt, like something was in there squeezing her tears up right from the bottom of her soul.

“Nothing – you didn’t do anything wrong. It’s not you, baby,” Buffy tried to assure her. It’s me – it’s my fault, she added silently.

“Am I … am I a bad person? Is that why? Am I being punished ‘cos I opened the portal?” Annie continued, trying to find reason in an unreasonable situation. “I didn’t mean to! Tell them, Mama! Tell them I didn’t mean to! Please … please tell them to give me my legs back,” she begged.

“It’s not you, Annie. It’s not your fault. You’re not bad. You’re beautiful and perfect and brave … it’s not you,” Buffy continued to assure her.

“I’m so sorry,” Buffy chanted over and over again as she rocked her daughter against her and wished with all her might that she could take her pain away. She should be the one laying there in that bed, not Annie. She should’ve protected her and she didn’t. Her daughter’s life had just been shattered into a million shards of misery and Buffy had been drinking a bottle of Tequila with Spike in Mr. Shark’s cave at the time. She was the Slayer. She should’ve been with Annie where she could’ve protected her.

Great job. Just a fucking great job, Slayer.

**~**


After a long while, Annie finally fell back into an exhausted, restless sleep and Xander insisted that Buffy go home for a little while. “Get a shower, get some clean clothes … you’ll feel better,” he told her.

Buffy rolled her eyes. That was like pissing on a forest fire to put it out. Xander gave her his keys, promising to stay with Annie in case she woke up. Buffy finally agreed to leave her daughter’s side but promised to be back quickly.

On the way home, she racked her mind, trying to find a solution to this – some way to give Annie back what she’d lost. Wolfram & Hart was the first thing that came to mind. She knew they had the … technology or magic or whatever it was to fix things like this: they’d fixed Angel’s severed hands. What would they want in return? They’d taken money from Angel to cure Cordy, but she wondered if Angel had promised them more than that. He’d never tell her if he did. Well, there was one way to find out – she could call Lilah Morgan and ask. How much was her daughter’s future worth? What wasn’t it worth?

When she got to the mansion, Tara was on the phone with Willow. Buffy could hear the white witch telling her wife about the boat that Wes and Giles had hired, which included a captain and crew, to take over the hunt for Spike. The Coast Guard and Navy were calling off their rescue mission at dusk tonight. It had been a full week today. It was SOP to stop the search for missing persons after seven days. Apparently there was no room for exceptions in ‘Standard Operating Procedure’.

Buffy laid Spike’s duster and the scroll from the other dimension down on the research table where Tara sat. Buffy picked MacKenzie up out of her bassinette, which was next to Tara, and nuzzled the baby’s small face. She smelled so … normal. Like
‘baby’
: sugar and spice and everything nice … like everything was fine. Buffy closed her eyes and just inhaled, trying to transport herself back to a time when everything really was fine. It didn’t work. She sighed as she gave the cooing redhead a kiss on the tip of her nose, then sat down with her at the research table across from the white witch.

“Buffy’s here,” Tara announced into the phone, then, after a beat she handed it to Buffy. “Willow…” she explained as Buffy took the phone from her hand.

“Any luck talking them into letting us use one of the AUVs as bait, Wills?” Buffy asked, shifting the baby to cradle her with one arm. She knew the answer before she asked, just from the look on Tara’s face, but she had to ask anyway.

“Buffy! Oh goddess, we were so worried about you! I’m so sorry about Annie! Tara told me what happened. I wish I could give you a hug, I’m so sorry,” Willow gushed.

Buffy bit the gash in her bottom lip, drawing more blood, and nodded. She fought to keep from collapsing in another fit of sobs and guilt-ridden self-loathing, which would do no one any good now. “Thanks,” she said quietly as she swallowed back her tears. “Any luck with Spike?” she asked again.

Willow sighed heavily into the phone. “No … they aren’t budging on the AUV. I don’t understand why my magic won’t work on that damn thing.”

“The creature was transported here by Tara,” Buffy began, drawing a confused look from the witch sitting across from her. “Not your Tara … not our Tara,” Buffy clarified quickly. “Tara from another dimension, from the dimension Annie and I …” Buffy choked back a sob and cleared her throat.



“She said it was a spell that you had created to try and send Glory away to another dimension. She tweaked it to try and send the largest demons away from Sunnydale. She didn’t think she had the power to actually send them to another dimension. She thought she was sending them to Japan.” Buffy laughed humorlessly and rubbed at her aching head and swollen eyes as she cradled the phone on her shoulder.



Maybe it was just static on the line, but Buffy thought she could hear Willow thinking through the phone. To the Slayer it kinda sounded like that little clicking and popping noise her computer made when she was searching for a document. It figured Willow’s brain would make that same noise.

Finally, Willow asked, “She didn’t say how she tweaked it, though, huh?”

Buffy shook her head. “No,” Buffy confirmed. “Did you write a spell like that?”

Willow huffed a breath into the phone. “I thought about it, but never actually got to the writing part of the assignment.”

Buffy sighed. “Do you think … I mean, maybe you could tell Tara what your ideas were and maybe she could think about what she’d do to tweak them to work on big Otherwordly demons and then maybe …” Buffy sighed again, afraid she was just rambling and making no sense.

“Yeah, we can try that,” Willow agreed, surprising Buffy by apparently following her logic. “If we can figure out what Tara would’ve tweaked in those spells, maybe we can figure out how to get magic to work on the creature.

“Ok, let me talk to Tara again,” Willow requested as her mind whirled like the disk drive on Buffy’s computer, retrieving the needed spells from her ‘random access memory’.

“A couple more things,” Buffy stopped her. “I have a scroll here from the other dimension – Annie says it’s the key to that book about creating a Gem of Amarra.”

“Really? Oh wow, that’s awesome!” Willow started enthusiastically before thinking about what Annie, and Buffy, had paid for it. “I mean … uhh…”

“It’s ok, Wills. She was pretty stoked about it too … at least … before…” Buffy’s voice trailed off.

“Right. I’m so sorry, Buffy,” Willow repeated, the sorrow evident in her voice. “Just … have Giles put it in the safe at the Council building, the one with the magical wards. We don’t want anything to happen to it. I’ll get back on it after we find Spike.”

“Ok,” Buffy agreed. She fingered the ornate silver case that held the scroll and kept the precious parchment inside safe, still cradling the phone against her shoulder and the baby in her other arm.



“The other thing is … Bess’ idea about luring it into a cave or something with an AUV,” Buffy began. “Do you really think that will work?”

Willow cleared her throat and Buffy heard some rustling over the phone. “I don’t know,” Willow admitted. “But they won’t even give us a chance to try it.”

“Could we … borrow one and try it on our own?” Buffy posed.

“Borrow without permission, you mean,” Willow clarified. “I don’t know. And I don’t know how to keep the whole Third Fleet from coming down on us if we do.”

“Ok – new idea,” Buffy actually brightened a little when a light bulb flickered dimly in her exhausted brain. “You know that sun you guys created to fight The First? Can’t you conjure something like that, not fiery, but big and white … like a giant, white octopus lure and magically dangle it in front of the thing’s big red eyes and use that for bait?” Buffy looked at Tara as she spoke to Willow. She could see the wheels turning behind the witch’s expressive blue eyes.

“Ummmm …” Willow thought. “Maybe … if we could get close enough to it and …” Willow blew out a breath. The clicking and popping noise on the phone line got louder. “Yeah …” she finally said, her voice sounding more optimistic. “Yeah, I know just the spell! Let me talk to Tara … but, yeah. If that new boat can get us fairly close, I think I can do it.”

Buffy blew out a slightly relieved breath. “Great. That’s great, Will. Is Bess nearby?”

“Yeah … sure. Hang on.”

“Mom?” Bess’ voice came on the phone after a few moments. “How’s Annie?” she asked hesitantly.

Buffy sighed heavily. “She’s alive … it … we’ll … It’s gonna take time to…” Buffy didn’t know what she was trying to say. It would take time to get over? How would Annie ever ‘get over’ that? “It’ll just take time,” she finally choked out, leaving it at that.

“Bess, we have a plan to lure the demon like you wanted,” Buffy told her. “Please be careful. Don’t do anything stupid because you feel like this was your fault, because it wasn’t. Spike wanted to be there just as much as you did, okay? And we’ll find a way to get him back, I swear. I don’t want to lose you too. Spike would never forgive himself – I’d never forgive myself … okay?”

Bess nodded on the other end of the phone. “Okay. I’ll be careful,” Bess promised. “Tell Annie I love her.”

“I will. We love you too, Bess.”

“Thanks, Mom – I’m really so sorry.”

“It’s going around,” Buffy admitted sadly.

“Oh, Willow wants to talk to Tara,” Bess reminded Buffy.

“Right – please be careful now, ok?” Buffy told her one last time.

“It’s my middle name.”

**~**

While Tara was on the phone with Willow, Buffy went up to get her shower. She’d call Lilah later, when she was alone. She didn’t need any reproachful looks or worried objections and warnings about getting in bed with the devil from the witch just then. While Buffy was in the shower, Tara stuck her head in and said she needed to go to the Council building. She needed to check on some spell books that hadn’t been scanned yet, ones Willow thought she would’ve used to create her send-Glory-the-hell-away spell with. She was taking the scroll and MacKenzie with her and would get Giles or Wes to put the artifact up in the safe. She promised she’d be back by the time the other kids got home from school.



After using all the hot water, Buffy finally got out of the shower. She rubbed the fog away from a spot on the mirror and looked at herself sullenly. She looked as horrible as she felt. Dark circles framed red, swollen eyelids and bloodshot eyes. Deep worry lines formed around her mouth and on her brow. She tried to stretch and rub her face to make them go away, but they weren’t budging. Her cheeks looked gaunt, like she hadn’t eaten anything in a week. She looked like she’d aged twenty years in just the last few days. So much for the whole immortal, young forever thing, she thought bitterly, rolling her eyes. She sighed, resigned, and plodded down the hall to the master bedroom, leaving a trail of wet footprints and water droplets in her wake.

Buffy pulled out a pair of jeans and under garments, then looked for the sleeveless, split-shoulder brown shirt with the dark peach colored flowers running around the bodice that Annie always liked. She dug through all her drawers and the closet, searching for it, but couldn’t find it. Was it in the laundry? She couldn’t remember wearing it lately; of course, ‘lately’ was kind of a vague time frame what with the inter-dimensional travel and unconsciousness and all.



Buffy became frantic about finding that shirt. Annie liked it so well, it just seemed like the most important thing in the world at that moment to find it and have it on when she went back to the hospital. Buffy cursed her infernal and seemingly never-ending wardrobe as she emptied drawer after drawer of clothes and then started on the closet, tossing dresses and slacks and blouses out into a huge pile on the floor in search of the one that she wanted – that she needed. Nothing was in her control, it seemed – not even her clothes.

Exhausted and defeated, unable to find it, Buffy finally threw herself onto their bed, hugging Spike’s pillow to her and burying her face into it as she sobbed. All she wanted was one thing to go right – one little thing. She couldn’t even find the one shirt that she knew Annie would like. It wasn’t much, but was something that might bring a small smile to daughter’s lips for a split second – that’s all Buffy wanted, but she couldn’t even do that.

She breathed in the essence of Spike from his pillow. The scent of the sandalwood from the ‘Stud-Bubbles’ soap that Anya had gotten him hooked on mingled with a hint of well-worn leather. Under that, a sprinkling of Tabasco layered over the indomitable, coppery aroma of blood. Buffy’s sobs came harder – she felt like her whole world was unraveling and she was powerless to stop it.

She knew the twins needed her to be here for them when they got home from school, needed her to be strong for them. But the prospect of facing them, of seeing the worry and sadness and fear in their eyes for their sister and father just made her want to run away and hide. How was she supposed to do this? How could she be strong for them, be the adult, the parent, when all she wanted was to curl into a little ball and make everything go away?

Buffy’s sobs finally waned and exhaustion overtook her as she hugged Spike’s pillow tightly to her chest, her face buried in it as if she could breathe him back into their bed. Before too long, she’d fallen into a restless sleep.



Buffy no longer screamed or even flinched when she found herself immersed in the acid-bile of the sea monster in her sleep. The physical pain was actually a welcome relief to the gut-wrenching mental anguish that filled her waking hours, and this time was no different. She was submerged in the deep, gurgling pool of putrid, rotten-fish-flavored bile and it burned her skin just like fire. In a minute she’d will herself up to Spike’s ledge and lay with him, but right now, she just wanted to drown in the pain of the acid eating her skin.

She closed her eyes and just floated as the water and bile around her ebbed and flowed in its constant motion of life. For a few precious moments the only thing she could think about was how much it hurt. There was no room in her mind to worry about anything else but the constant pain that engulfed her body. Buffy’s flesh sizzled and burned, large holes were eaten into her skin as the sea monster’s bile tried in vain to consume her.

She unexpectedly bumped into something large and solid floating in the dark agony and she opened her eyes on reflex, despite knowing that it was too dark here to see anything.

“Hello, luv,” Spike greeted her amiably, reaching out a hand to touch the raw flesh of her cheek.

“Spike?” Buffy questioned, slightly confused by him being down here.

“‘Course, pet – who else?”

 “What are you doing down here?” she wondered, reaching out a hand of her own to touch him.

“Come t’ see you, kitten.”

Buffy furrowed her brow, wishing she could actually see him. “What about … tea and chocolate and lemon curd?”

She could feel him shrug under her hand. “Could do if that’s what ya want, pet. Thought we’d have a bit of the rough and tumble though. Whaddya say?” he suggested with a low rumble.

“Are you sure…?” Buffy wondered, moving closer to him. “You’re … ok?”

“Right as rain, luv,” Spike assured her, pulling her into his arms and finding her lips with his.

His body felt rough, chapped, covered in sores and scabs, as did his lips against hers. She knew her body must feel the same to him, but it felt so good to be in his arms and have him lucid that she didn’t care. The glorious pain of the acid coupled with his arms encircling her and his mouth on hers was a miracle in the midst of utter despair.

“God, Spike … I love you so much,” she murmured against his harsh and brittle lips. She knew she needed to tell him about Annie and talk to him about going to Wolfram & Hart. She needed to tell him about everything that had happened to them now, while he was lucid; but right this moment her only desire was to be engulfed by him. She wrapped her legs around his waist as the two of them swayed with the movement of the sea monster, completely submerged in the burning liquid.

Buffy guided his cock into her as she plunged her hips down, taking him deep inside her. The normally smooth, soft skin of his erection was rough with scabs and scars and it scraped painfully against her raw, tender opening. She gasped at the new sensation of pain as he began moving against her. His cock was abrasive, like coarse sandpaper, and it scratched and cut deeply into her sensitive skin with every thrust.

“Yes, Spike … God yes … hurt me …” she begged him leaning back and arching her back, raising her breasts to him.

And Spike did as she demanded. He bit down on her raw and bleeding nipple and Buffy shrieked in pain as he pounded into her even harder, slamming his rod into her with wild abandon. Her whole body convulsed and trembled and she screamed out, her voice echoing in the cavernous stomach of the beast, as she came in a shower of painful ecstasy. Her pussy walls tightened around his pulsing cock, swallowing his cum, milking him for every drop, as he roared his own release only moments later.

Buffy clung to him tightly with arms and legs. She closed her eyes and hung on as if she’d surely drown if she released him. Her head dropped to Spike’s shoulder as she struggled to get her breath back, taking deep, ragged breaths of the putrid air.

“Such a little slut you are … so easily fooled.” It wasn’t Spike’s voice.

Buffy’s eyes flashed open widely as she drew back. Riley Finn’s red eyes glowed brightly in the dark and his cruel, mocking laugh cut Buffy to the core. Before she could react or pull away, he sank his fangs into her neck, completely covering Spike’s scar with his own mark.

“Nooooooo!” Buffy screamed and tried to extricate herself from the super-strong vamp’s grip. She kicked and punched and thrashed wildly against him, sending waves of the acidic bile crashing out in all directions. She landed a solid kick in the center of his stomach and pushed with every ounce of strength she had to get away from him. A huge chunk of her flesh ripped out of her neck when she finally pulled free from his fangs. Buffy screamed again as the pain from the acid was overshadowed ten-fold by the pain of her tearing flesh.

Buffy tumbled off the bed and crashed against the open drawers of her dresser, smashing two of them, on her way to the floor. Suddenly wide awake, she instinctively picked up a piece of the broken wood and scrambled back away from … from what? She looked around, her eyes wide with fear and revulsion; there was no one there. She pressed her hand to her neck and pulled it away to look – no blood. She crouched, quivering and trembling in terror and disgust on the floor, her back pressed against the door of their room. Buffy scratched savagely at her skin with the jagged wood and her fingernails – it was crawling and itching and burning and dirty.



Suddenly, she jumped up and fled the bedroom, running down the hall to the bathroom and jumping under the spray of the shower before the water even got warm. She scrubbed and dug and scratched wildly at her skin, trying to get the stink of Riley Finn off. She used all of Spike’s soap, lathering and rinsing over and over again, trying to replace the stench of her deceit with the comfort of her husband’s love, but it wasn’t working. She could smell betrayal all over her – it seemed embedded in her blood, in her soul.

“Why!? What the hell is wrong with you!?” she screamed at herself as she finally crumpled down onto the floor of the shower.

Buffy didn’t know how long she sat there trying to get the water to wash away her sins. She continued to scratch idly at her skin, not even feeling the pain she was inflicting or noticing the blood that ran across the tiles and down the drain with the water. She looked up when the water shut off. Tara was there. She had a towel and was wrapping it around Buffy’s shivering form. Buffy let the witch lead her out of the bathroom and down the hall to her room. Tara was talking quietly, but the words had no meaning to Buffy. The Slayer couldn’t focus on them long enough to put whole thoughts together.  She was too exhausted, too disgusted with herself to even try to hear what Tara was saying.

Tara put Buffy into the bed and covered her up with the sheet and quilt. Even though the house was warm, Buffy was shivering and trembling uncontrollably. The Slayer curled up in a small ball in the center of the bed, wrapping the covers around herself tightly, even covering her head. She thought Tara had left, but then she was there again. Her big blue eyes shone with compassion and worry as she helped Buffy sit up. Then the psychologist was holding out a pill and a glass of water towards Buffy. Buffy heard the word ‘sleep’ and she took the pill and put it in her mouth, lodged it between her lip and teeth, and then swallowed some water. Tara laid her back down, covered her back up, and Buffy spit the pill out before Tara even closed the door again.

No sleep … no sleep … no sleep, Buffy chanted to herself as she scratched at her skin and shivered from the chill in her soul.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Why by Annie Lennox on YouTube  }}


How many times do I have to try to tell you
That I'm sorry for the things I've done
But when I start to try to tell you
That's when you have to tell me
Hey... this kind of trouble's only just begun
I tell myself too many times
Why don't you ever learn to keep your big mouth shut
That's why it hurts so bad to hear the words
That keep on falling from your mouth
Falling from your mouth
Falling from your mouth
Tell me...
Why
Why

I may be mad
I may be blind
I may be viciously unkind
But I can still read what you're thinking
And I've heard is said too many times
That you'd be better off
Besides...
Why can't you see this boat is sinking
(this boat is sinking this boat is sinking)
Let's go down to the water's edge
And we can cast away those doubts
Some things are better left unsaid
But they still turn me inside out
Turning inside out turning inside out
Tell me...
Why
Tell me...
Why

This is the book I never read
These are the words I never said
This is the path I'll never tread
These are the dreams I'll dream instead
This is the joy that's seldom shared
These are the tears...
The tears we shed
This is the fear
This is the dread
These are the contents of my head
And these are the years that we have spent
And this is what they represent
And this is how I feel
Do you know how I feel?
'cause i don't think you know how I feel
I don't think you know what I feel
I don't think you know what I feel
You don't know what I feel
End Notes:
TBC ... Will Buffy's guilt get in the way of her finding a solution? Will the new plan to lure the octopus into a cave work? Will they be able to rescue Spike so he can help Buffy fix things? Will W&H be able to help or will their price be too high? And what about the mysterious stranger ... will he throw a wrench into all their plans? After the next chapter, there will be a short respite from the heart-wrenching angst. Lots more to come.
Fear by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
First, before I forget: If you aren't aware, James Marsters will be turning 50 this year! There is a collection being done for his birthday. We are donating funds in his name to his old high school in Modesto, CA to buy new lights for their remodeled theatre. If you are interested in donating, or just want more info, you can check out this web site:

{{  Click here to get more info on JMs 50th Birthday gift and bash.  }}
**
Now, on to this chapter: Buffy and Annie must both deal with their fears. Still an angsty chapter, but there will be a break from the angst coming next.
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
(Later that day) Thursday, April 21st, 2011, 4pm:
 
After lying in a tight ball on the bed for a long time, determinedly not sleeping, Buffy finally forced herself to get up. She dressed in jeans and a long-sleeved, turtle-neck sweater to hide the scratches that marred her skin from her neck all the way down to her feet. She still felt dirty, but knew that she could wash until the cows came home, and then she could wash the cows, and it wouldn’t get the stench off her; it was coming from within.

 

Buffy found her address book buried in the pile of clothes and broken dresser drawers on the floor, and dialed Wolfram & Hart’s number. She got put through to Lilah’s voicemail. In a business-like tone, Lilah said she was sorry she’d missed the call, and assured Buffy, and anyone else that called, that she would return the call ‘as soon as possible’. Buffy rolled her eyes and hung up – she didn’t need Lilah calling here and Tara answering it. Buffy had enough first-class tickets to ‘Guilt-ville’ without Tara giving her a disappointed look and a lecture about making deals with ‘Evil, Inc.’ Buffy would call Lilah back later.
 
Buffy looked in the mirror and practiced putting on a smile. It looked ridiculous on her gaunt and exhausted face and she dropped it. She knew the twins needed her and she longed to hold them in her arms again, but at the same time she didn’t want to see the accusations and worry in their eyes. She hadn’t kept Annie safe. She hadn’t kept Spike safe. Even though she hadn't been there on the mission with Spike, somehow she should’ve done something. Refused to let him go … something! But if she had done that, would it be Bess they were looking for now? Maybe they’d be looking for Bess’ bones, because without the Gem to heal her, that acid would eat right through her body. Could a vampire actually live without any flesh? It seemed impossible, but who knew? Anyway, that was beside the point. The point was she hadn’t protected her family, and the kids would know it as soon as they looked at her, Buffy was sure of it.
 
Buffy sighed and flashed another smile at the haggard woman in the mirror, but it wasn’t working. She finally gave up trying to look brave or cheerful and headed out to face the music.
 
She hoped everyone was down in the basement. Somehow, Buffy felt more vulnerable facing them in the harsh light of day. It was unreasonable, she knew, but she felt like it would be easier for her to hide her guilt and failure from her family down in the dark of the ‘bat cave’. Her hope was short-lived, however. The twins, along with JJ, Tara, MacKenzie, and Eddie were in the great room. Tara was at the research table looking through spell books and the kids were watching TV. Buffy took a deep breath and steeled herself. She tried another smile, smaller than the ones she practiced in the mirror, but it hurt her heart, so she dropped it again, then started down the stairs.
 
The children heard her heavy footfalls and ran to meet her just as she got to the bottom of the staircase, even JJ came. She dropped down and gathered all three into her arms, as she’d done the twins at the hospital the previous day, and held them close.
 
The children’s anguished cries of worry and relief at seeing her brought new tears to her eyes. She blinked them back, determined not to cry again, as she dropped kisses atop their heads and held them tightly. They smelled of Johnson’s baby shampoo and gummy bears and Kool-Aid. Buffy hoped they couldn’t smell the fetid aroma of guilt and failure on her.
 
They bombarded her with questions as she finally stood up and headed for the couch, three little hands grasping her fingers tightly as she walked.
 
“Are you okay?”
“You won’t go away again, will you? Please!”
“When’s Annie coming home? Is she gonna be okay?”
“Did you see Papa when you were gone?”
“I talked to Bess last night in a dream, she promised she’d find Papa!”
“My mom said a big monster swallowed Uncle Spike! Is that true?”
 
Buffy rolled her eyes skyward. Thank you, Anya, she thought sarcastically as she sat down and the children piled on top of her. Of course, the kids probably would’ve known about the monster swallowing Spike anyway just from listening to the adults talking, even without Anya’s direct honesty, but it still grated on Buffy’s last remaining nerve.
 
Tara looked up from her reading and gave the Slayer a worried look. Buffy didn’t look any more rested than she had when she gave her that mild sleeping pill and put her to bed a few hours ago. Buffy’s aura looked off, too. It was streaked heavily with black and grey where normally the Slayer was surrounded by bright, vibrant reds, blues, and purples – colors of power, of courage, strength, and confidence.


 
“Bess, Angel, and Willow are doing all they can to find him.” Buffy tried to sound confident. “They’re working on a new plan and I’m sure it’ll work,” she overstated – she wasn’t sure of anything at this point. “I talked to him and he’s fine,” she exaggerated – a lot. “He misses you guys so much and wants to get home, but … yes, a big monster did swallow him and so he can’t come home right now.”
 
“It swallowed him whole!?” Dani asked widening her eyes and mouth as big as they would go and then chomping them all closed quickly.
 
Buffy had to smile at the face her little ‘mini-me’ made when she did that big-mouthed bass impersonation. Buffy made a mental note to not make that face herself – ever. “Yes – whole. So there’s nothing to worry about. He’s really ok; he just can’t get out right now. Everyone’s working on getting him back,” Buffy explained as she wrapped her arms around the children in her lap. “You know your Papa – he’ll probably give that ole monster indigestion soon and it’ll just spit him right out, just like Jonah.”
 
The three children looked at her with furrowed brows, none speaking for a moment. Finally, JJ asked, “The monster swallowed Jonah? Jonah Stein, from soccer?” his eyes wide with a mixture of fear and amazement.
 
Buffy laughed and shook her head. It felt good to laugh for a moment. “No … it’s a thing … an old story … Not that Jonah,” she assured them. “It’s just … uhhh … I’ll have your dad explain it when he gets home ‘cos he’s better at that bible stuff than I am.”
 
Buffy had to laugh at the absurdity of that statement. Yes, I’m the Slayer – supposedly the epitome of good and righteousness, but I’ll have your vampire father explain bible stories to you.
 
Buffy looked over at Tara, who was still studying her with a worried expression. When Tara realized Buffy was looking at her, she gave the Slayer a reassuring nod and a smile, and then looked back down at the spell book on the table.
 
“When can Annie come home?” Billy asked.

 

Buffy took a deep breath. “I don’t know yet, sweetie,” she replied truthfully. “But when she does, we’re all gonna have to give her a lot of help and be especially nice to her.”
 
“Aunt Tara told us,” Dani admitted sadly as all three children nodded.
 
Buffy sighed in relief as she scratched absently at her arms through her sweater. She hadn’t been sure how she was going to get through telling them about Annie without completely breaking down. Thank goodness she didn’t have to.
 
“She’ll probably need lots of super-giant Hershey bars,” JJ added thoughtfully, his tone serious.
 
Buffy smiled and looked into the soulful, brown eyes of the dark-haired little-Xander. “Yeah … I’m sure you’re right.”
 
“We made cards for her,” Dani piped up, jumping down off her mother’s lap and running to the research table. She came back with several pages of construction paper covered with crayon and glitter-glue drawings of hearts and flowers, along with words of love and ‘get well’ wishes. Buffy clenched her jaw and gave the children a strained smile. Annie would never ‘get well’. She would heal, but she would never be the same, not physically or emotionally.

 

“Thank you. I know she’ll love them,” Buffy pressed out past the lump in her throat, her voice clouded with emotion. “I have to get back to the hospital now, ok, guys?” she posited as she began to stand up.
 
“You should take Mr. Mocha, her teddy bear, with you,” Billy suggested. “It always makes her feel better.”
 
Buffy gave him a genuine smile. “That’s a good idea, honey. Would you run and get it for me?”
 
Billy nodded enthusiastically and hopped down off the couch. He was up the stairs and back down with the shaggy, chocolate-colored bear in a flash.

 

“You’ll be back, right?” Billy asked with concern as he handed her the toy. “You won’t … get lost again, right?”
 
Buffy nodded reassuringly. “I promise, I’ll be back soon. Be good for Aunt Tara, now,” she admonished them as she hugged them one more time and dropped kisses in their soft hair.
 
“We will,” they all three agreed, their voices reserved and worried.
 
**~**
 
A little while later, Buffy entered Annie’s room with Mr. Mocha, the handmade cards from the kids, a large Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzard from Dairy Queen, and a giant Hershey’s bar with almonds.
 
Xander and Anya were both in the room with Annie and they stood up when Buffy walked in. Xander looked at his friend and thought she didn’t really look any more rested than when he sent her home earlier that day.
 
“You look like death warmed over,” Anya greeted Buffy, voicing Xander’s thoughts, which he had planned on keeping to himself. “You might want to try a little makeup so someone doesn’t mistake you for a vampire and try to stake you.”
 
“Ahn,” Xander groaned her name under his breath.
 
Buffy gave Anya a stiff smile. “I thought the grey-pasty look would help me blend in when I was on patrol,” Buffy offered sarcastically.
 
“Oh … well yeah, I suppose …” Anya began, then she rolled her eyes, finally getting the sarcasm in Buffy’s tone. “I guess with the missing husband and newly disabled daughter it’s to be expected. But, on the bright side, you’ll be able to park right up front in those handicapped spots at the mall! No more searching for a parking space at Christmas and walking ten miles,” Anya offered brightly. “That’ll be a time big saver!”

 

Annie sucked in a pained gasp of air. “Dad? … Dad’s missing? You said he was alright!”
 
Buffy clenched her jaw to keep herself from saying anything to the ex-demon she couldn’t take back. Thank you again, Anya!
 
Xander grabbed his wife’s elbow and began pushing her towards the door. “We’re gonna go pick up JJ and get some dinner. Can we bring you something back?” he asked as the couple passed Buffy.
 
“No, thanks. I wouldn’t want to ruin my undead aura. I thought I’d paint my nails and die my hair black … you know, go for a whole Goth look. I hear it’s the in thing.”
 
“I don’t think Spike would like…” Anya began. “Owwww!” she exclaimed when Xander squeezed her arm painfully.
 
“We’ll be back later,” he called over his shoulder as they started down the hallway.
 
“Mom – where’s dad?” Annie asked with concern creasing her already drawn, haggard features.
 
Buffy sighed and set all her goodies on the small table next to the bed. “There was a problem on the mission,” Buffy began. “The octopus … swallowed him.”
 
“What!? Is he…”
 
“He’s alright!” Buffy assured her quickly. “I talked to him and the Gem is protecting him and Willow and Bess have a plan to get him back. It’s gonna be okay.”
 
Annie closed her eyes and dropped her head back against the raised mattress at her back as tears welled behind her lids. She didn’t think she could cry anymore, but they just seemed to keep coming. Her chin quivered and she willed it to stop, but it paid her no mind.
 
 

“Annie, honey,” Buffy cooed in a comforting voice as she drew her daughter into a hug. “He’s really okay. They’ll get him back and he’ll be here soon. I swear it’ll be ok.”

Annie’s tears began to flood from behind her closed lids as she clung to her mother. “You aren’t just saying that?”
 
Buffy shook her head as she held Annie to her. “No … really, he’s okay. We have a plan. We’ll get him back.”
 
Annie sniffed and buried her face against her mother’s neck. “What do you think …” she began hesitantly. “I mean …” Annie sighed heavily and pulled back to look at her mom. She swallowed hard and let her eyes drift down to the slack sheets at the end of the bed. “Do you think he’ll still … love me like before?”
 
“Oh, baby, of course he will!” Buffy admonished her, holding her by the shoulders and making Annie focus on her face. “You’re still you! We all love you just as much as ever. Your father could never love you with anything less than his whole heart. You’re his ‘Niblett’ … you’ll always be his little girl. This doesn’t change anything.”
 
Annie shook her head slowly. “It changes everything,” she murmured as her tears slid slowly, but oh so surely, down her cheeks.
 
Buffy sighed and pulled her back into a hug as tears stung her own eyes. “You’re still you, Anne Joyce. You’re beautiful and smart and brave and such a sweet girl. Nothing about you that’s really important has changed,” Buffy assured her. “We’ll get through this – you’ll see. Everything will be alright.”

 

Everything Buffy said was true, but Buffy couldn’t help but think that at the same time, Annie was right – everything had changed.
 
After a few minutes, Buffy pulled back and pushed Annie’s curls back from her face. She brushed at her daughter’s tears with the pad of her thumb, interrupting their trek to her chin, as she gave her daughter the smile that she’d been practicing earlier. Buffy hoped it didn’t look as horrid as it had in the mirror.

“C’mon … I’ve got a Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzard melting over here…”
 
**~**
 
(A week later) Friday, April 29th, 2011
 
“I don’t like Georgia Mud Blizzards,” Annie groused, her lips set in a grim, hard line and her arms folded tightly across her chest. Mr. Mocha sat in the bed next to her, but the teddy bear seemed to look just as angry as his ward.
 
Buffy sighed, knowing that wasn’t true. She set the milkshake down on the table next to Annie’s bed. It had been a full week since they’d gotten back from the other dimension, a full week since …
 
During that time, Annie’s mood had morphed from self-pity, confusion, and sadness to guilt to anger. She was terse with just about everyone; nothing made her happy. Tara said that was a normal part of healing, that it would pass. Buffy wasn’t sure which Annie she’d rather deal with: the forlorn, helpless child or the angry girl who found fault with everything and everyone around her. Sometimes she’d get both in the same day. Her daughter could change personalities faster than Angel changed to Angelus … and the analogy was apt. There was less bloodshed with Annie, but her words were just as harsh and could cut just as deeply.
 
It was a rollercoaster ride for all of them, for Annie most of all. As difficult as it was for Buffy to imagine not being able to walk, she would’ve changed places with her daughter in a heartbeat. She’d take this pain away from her girl, ride the emotional rollercoaster in her stead, if only she could.
 
Buffy looked at Xander, who gave her a sympathetic frown as he stood up and headed out of the room.

 

The last few days had been a blur for Buffy. She spent evenings and nights at the hospital with Annie. She got home in time to have breakfast with the twins, then rested during the day until they got home from school. She spent time with them and MacKenzie, talked to Bess and Willow on the phone about Spike's rescue mission, then it was back to the hospital. All her friends were godsends to her. They helped take care of the house and the children and, frankly, her, as well.
 
They always made sure someone was at the hospital with Annie, twenty-four hours a day. Tara brought Dani, Billy, MacKenzie, and JJ to visit her every evening after dinner. The entire extended family came by at least once a day, including Clem and Troy. Raj had even come once, but Annie had burst into a hysterical crying fit when she saw him and he left quickly, unsure what he’d done wrong. Buffy knew it was because he reminded Annie of her missing father. Raj was just trying to be nice – he didn’t understand how his presence would upset her.
 
Just like everyone else that was in town, Tara visited Annie every day – separately from when she brought the kids. As a friend and a trained psychologist, she tried to help the girl work through her anger and move on to acceptance. If they could just get Annie to turn that anger into determination and resolve, Tara explained to Buffy, the witch was sure new doors would open for Annie, which could take the place of the old ones that had been slammed closed.
 
Buffy had gotten in touch with Lilah and Lilah was supposed to get back to her with an offer. They couldn’t reattach Annie’s own legs, of course, but they could use legs from a cadaver, she’d explained. That didn’t really fill Buffy with joy and, after talking to Lindsey on one of his many calls to Faith, she was even less enthused with the idea. After he’d told her the story about his re-attached hand and how it seemed to have a mind of its own, how it had taken on the personality of its previous owner, Buffy had completely shelved the idea of getting W&H to help her daughter.
 
“See you later, Doodlebug,” Xander called to his niece as he passed Buffy, giving the Slayer a quick squeeze on her shoulder.
 
“Whatever,” Annie mumbled back, looking at the wall on the other side of the room.
 
Buffy took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Today, apparently, was one of those dark days with the ‘Irritated Annie’ large and in charge.
 
“I’ve got good news and better news,” Buffy began with a smile, ignoring the waves of anger that were rolling off her daughter. “Which do you want first?”

 

Annie rolled her eyes and shrugged. “Neither.”
 
“The good news is, the doctors say you can come home on Monday!” Buffy gushed as she pushed a lock of her daughter’s hair back and hooked it behind her ear. “Isn’t that great?”
 
Annie ‘humphed’ and rolled her eyes again.
 
That was Annie’s fifth eye roll since Buffy had come into the room. Her record in one hour was seventy-two … over one per minute, set just yesterday. The perky prosthetist, a nice looking young Indian woman with long dark hair and a bright smile, had been talking to them about the ‘ground-breaking prosthetics’ that were available now. She’d explained how the fitting process worked, how important the physical therapy was, and how great everything would be when Annie had her new legs. Annie had not been impressed.
 
Buffy soldiered on through Annie’s ambivalence. “The even better news is your father should be home soon! Maybe even by the middle of next week! You’ll be able to welcome him home. We’ll have a big party and…”
 
Eye rolls six and seven made Buffy stop and sigh. “Ok, so I know you’re angry and afraid, I understand that. But this really is good news.”
 
Willow had her luring spell, which she called ‘Casper’, ready to go. She called it ‘Casper’ because it created a large, ghostly-white lure made up of ectoplasm bundled together into a cohesive form with electromagnetic energy. She would use astral projection so she could be inside the whirling white energy to control and guide it. Giles and Wesley had called cave divers up and down the Pacific coast to find a suitable cave to lure the creature into. The cave had to be large enough for the monster to fit inside but not so deep that Angel and Bess would need pressure suits, since the Navy wasn’t keen on lending those any more than they had been the AUVs. They’d found three caves off the coast of southern California and Mexico that would work. Since the creature had been swimming in a wide looping pattern, moving slowly but surely southbound along the coast, that would work perfectly. The plan was coming together nicely.
 
The chartered boat that Bess, Angel, and Willow, were on now was a retired Japanese whaling boat with a full crew. It was more maneuverable than the Navy ship, but the speed with which the demon octopus moved continued to be a problem. The good news was that the monster was apparently a creature of habit. It had a certain pattern to its course, which had been noted by the experienced crew. The wide, looping pattern it swum in slowed its travel southward. The ship would go in a straight line and intercept it as it came around in one of those loops. Then they’d put the plan into action – lure it, trap it, kill it, rescue Spike … pass ‘go’ and collect two million dollars. Each. Now, they just had to pray the creature stuck to its routine.
 
Just in case the lure didn’t work or the PTB didn’t hear their prayer about the demon’s routine, Tara and Willow were also working on some spells that they thought might reverse whatever magical shield had been erected around the monster during its transportation from the other dimension. So far, there had been no joy on that. It remained immune to Willow’s magic.
 
“I don’t want good news. I just want to be angry. I like being mad,” Annie informed her tersely, narrowing her eyes at her mother. “Anyway, I don’t see how being home is gonna be all that great. What do I get to do, crawl around like a two-legged dog? Bump down the stairs on a burlap sack like the Giant Slide at the fair? Or maybe we could go for a bike ride, or play hopscotch, or jump rope,” she snarled sarcastically. “Oh, I know, we could all play baseball and I could be first base!”
 
“Annie,” Buffy moaned.

 

“And what do you think Dad’s gonna say when he gets home? He’s gonna go ballistic! He’ll look at you and growl and say you shouldn't have let me go on that stupid patrol - even though I wanted to. He’s gonna hate you. Then you guys will get in a big fight and you’ll get divorced and every time he looks at me he’ll hate me because it’s my fault!”

“Anne Joyce! That’s ridiculous! Where did you come up with that? That’s not gonna happen and he’s not gonna hate me or you!” Buffy argued, although a tinge of fear escaped the box within her heart where she’d locked it: fear that Spike would blame her, and hate her, for what happened to Annie. And why shouldn’t he? It was true, after all; it was her fault. Her rational mind said that he would never say such a thing, but would he think it? Would it become an invisible wall between them, growing taller with each passing day? Would he ever be able to forgive her? Would their love be enough to overcome it, or would it just push them further and further apart until one day it was so tall and wide that they couldn’t even see each other any longer?
 
Eye roll number eight. “I’m not dumb and I have plenty of time on my hands to figure stuff out now. Funny how being disfigured clears your calendar like magic,” Annie explained sarcastically. “Dad’ll be just like Spike in the other world. Didn’t you see that look he had? Like … I don’t know …” Annie paused and considered it for a moment before continuing, “He was like a little lost puppy wanting a scrap of food and everyone yelled at him and kicked him and told him that he couldn’t have it … ever. Then he’ll turn to ice … just like that Spike. Freezing cold ice.”
 
Buffy took a deep breath and let it out very slowly. “Annie, you’re imagining and worrying about things that haven’t even happened – and won’t happen,” Buffy admonished her. “Your father loves you – he’d never hate you. Never,” she assured her, enunciating the last word slowly for emphasis.
 
Eye roll number nine. “But he might hate you,” Annie pointed out solemnly.

  

Buffy had no real defense against that. She bit her lip and closed her eyes a moment. She swallowed the lump of fear in her throat and finally looked back at her daughter’s sullen, blue eyes. Spike’s eyes.

“That won’t happen. It will be all right,” Buffy whispered at last, but there was no conviction in her voice. Annie’s words had cut straight through to the fear and guilt in her heart and set it free to trample her very spirit.
 
Eye roll number ten.
 
“Do you hate me?” Buffy wondered, barely able to hold her tears back.
 
“I don’t know … ”Annie admitted solemnly looking down at her hands, which were folded in her lap. "Sometimes I hate everybody."

Annie had spent hours doing nothing but thinking up every possible scenario of her future. Very few of her imaginings had happy endings, and she dismissed those as fairy tales and unrealistic. Sometimes she hated her mom with every fiber of her being; other times she knew that none of this wais Buffy’s fault at all. In fact, if it was anyone’s fault, it was her own. If she’d just not ridden on that stupid cart – if she’d just pushed it back to the buggy corral like a normal person, none of this would’ve happened. She felt confused and scared and angry and frightened and guilt-ridden and alone. Even with every member of her extended family around her, she felt utterly alone. Somehow, that manifested as anger and hurtful barbs. She could hear the words coming out of her mouth, feel them stab into whoever was near her, but she seemed unable to stop them, and that made her feel even more guilty, lonely, and frightened.
 
**~**
 
(The next morning) Saturday, April 30th, 2011, 9am:

 

“Spike … baby, can you hear me?” Buffy asked as she leaned down next to him on his ledge. The acid burned her skin through the dream, but she was used to it by now.
 
“Ohh! ‘ello, sweetie!” he replied brightly, turning his face towards her. She couldn’t see him, but could feel him move under her palm, which she’d laid on his ravaged cheek. Her heart lifted slightly in the hopes that this would be one of his good days. There were good days and bad days and worse days…
 
“I just got your text! About bloody time! So that’ll work for you, then – meet me 9pm-ish at Tivoli by the Victorla,” he continued and Buffy’s heart sank just as quickly as it had risen. “We’ll dance under the stars while Rome burns! Sod Nero!”
 
“Spike … it’s Buffy. Honey, can you understand me?” she tried again, her lips against his ear.
 
“I bloody well will not! If everything seems to be going well, then you have obviously overlooked something. Cecily will be there too. Yes, I know she can be difficult, but it’s all set now.”
 
Buffy sighed heavily and tears stung her eyes. “Spike, please, try to …”
 
“Talk all you want, pet. Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but if you think about it, neither does milk. I’ll have a cranapple, then.”
 
“Oh, Spike, I promise. Spike I swear we’ll get you out of here soon. Bess and Willow have a plan. I just know it’ll work,” Buffy assured him. “It has to work,” she added more to herself than him.
 
“Right then, Gin Fizz for the lady! Snap to it, you blighters! The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.”
 
**~**
 
Buffy woke from the dream with a jerk and tears filled her eyes.
 
Each day, while the kids were in school, she’d come to bed and try to rest, but she tried her best not to sleep deeply and most especially not to dream. She was exhausted, emotionally and physically, but sleep frightened her. When she did dream and found herself with Spike in the belly of the beast, she was tentative and reserved. She was always afraid he would morph into Finn at any moment, but that hadn’t happened again. Sometimes Spike would be halfway lucid when she went to him; other times, like today, he was lost in a labyrinth that Buffy couldn’t decipher. Whichever Spike she found, she tried to offer comfort and assurance to him, and tried to let him know they hadn’t given up and he shouldn’t either. Sometimes he seemed to understand; other times, not so much. She never could find the words to tell him about Annie, no matter how frequently she implored herself to do so.
 
She found a strange solace in the pain of the acid as it burned her through the bond. She often woke with new, deep scratches and gouges on her arms and legs from where she’d dug at her flesh in her fitful sleep. She was glad she didn’t have to explain to anyone else the relief those wounds and that pain gave her; no one else knew. In her own mind, she thought it was perhaps like a Catholic going to confession and being given penance. This was her sacrament for her sins, for her failures to protect her family, and she accepted them willingly.
 
Tara and Giles both tried to talk to Buffy about her sleep, or lack thereof. She would brush them off with quips like ‘I’ll sleep when I’m dead … again’ as she told them not to worry, she was fine. Sometimes, as she lay in her bed alone, clinging desperately to Spike’s pillow, she could hear a stanza of a poem she’d been forced to learn somewhere along the way. It seemed to drift in through the window on the cool, morning breeze and surround her, but it was only a snippet. Try as she might, she couldn’t remember more than,

“The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.”


 

She thought that fit her quite well. She had many promises to keep – and many miles to go before she could sleep. It became her mantra. Sleep felt like her enemy; she was constantly worried about being fooled by Riley Finn again. Even though he was dust, he was still haunting her somehow … stalking her dreams. Her guilt and shame over those times that he had tricked her ate at her heart just as surely as the acid ate at Spike’s skin.
 
On this morning, however, as she lay in her bed trying to only nap lightly, she found her resolve waning. As her mind repeated her poem-mantra over and over again, it drifted further and further into the lovely, dark, and deep woods. Before the woods engulfed her completely in deep slumber, it occurred to her that Tara must have slipped something into the hot chocolate she’d made as treat for Buffy when the Slayer had returned from the hospital this morning.
 
Buffy tried to get up, but her head spun and the room tilted around her. She fell back down against her pillow and rolled off the bed onto the floor. She pushed up to all fours and tried to crawl out of her bedroom. She’d only made it a couple of feet before her limbs turned to jelly and refused to function. She dropped down onto the floor and her eyes closed despite her will to make them remain open.

 

She was filled with fear. It consumed her. Fear of not being able to control her dreams while under the influence of whatever drug Tara had spiked her drink with. Fear of being tricked again. Fear of betraying her husband yet again. Her heart clenched in her chest and tears leaked involuntarily from her eyes as she battled against the blackness that was engulfing her.
 
“No… miles to go … no sleep,” she muttered to herself, her speech slurred and uneven, as she tried to fight the drugs.
 
As the darkness enfolded her, Buffy’s chant became, Spike, Spike, Spike. His name roared inside her spinning head. Please take me back to Spike… she begged her weary subconscious before her mind blanked and the sleep overtook her.

**~**

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Fear, Sarah McLachlan on YouTube  }}


Morning smiles
like the face of a newborn child
innocent unknowing
Winter's end
promises of a long lost friend
speaks to me of comfort

but I fear
I have nothing to give
I have so much to lose
here in this lonely place
tangled up in our embrace
there's nothing I'd like
better than to fall
but I fear I have nothing to give

Wind in time
rapes the flower trembling on the vine
nothing yields to shelter it
from above
they say temptation will destroy our love
the never ending hunger

but I fear
I have nothing to give
I have so much to lose
here in this lonely place
tangled up in our embrace
there's nothing I'd like
better than to fall
but I fear
I have nothing to give
I have so much to lose
I have nothing to give
We have so much to lose...
End Notes:
TBC ... I promise a break in the angst coming next. Buffy's dream. Can she find some answers, come up with a plan to fix things, in her sleep?
The Way Things Might Have Been by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Buffy tries her best stay awake and keep from dreaming, but her efforts are thwarted by a worried Tara. What nightmares await Buffy in her dreams?
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Buffy’s Dream, Saturday, April 30th, 2011:
 
“We’re home, my darling,” Spike’s voice rumbled as a deep whisper near her ear, his breath warm against her cool skin.
 
Buffy stirred slowly, lifting her head from where it rested on his shoulder, blinking her eyes open, and looking around. “Huh?” she asked groggily, rubbing at her eyes with gloved hands.
 
“We’re home,” he repeated as the door of the horse-drawn carriage opened and he moved away from her, stepping out.

 

Buffy looked around in confusion. She was dressed in a long-sleeved, high-collared fancy ball gown. The fabric was a rich, beautiful gold brocade. It pressed tightly, and quite uncomfortably, against her ribs and waist, and flared widely at the bottom. She had on white gloves and her hair was done up atop her head with pins and combs. She could see just a few copper-red ringlets falling down to frame her face.
 
The black, enclosed carriage was empty save for her. She looked at the open door and saw Spike … no … not Spike … William standing there. His gloved hand was extended towards her, waiting to help her down from the carriage. His blue eyes sparkled behind his spectacles as they met hers across the short space. His curly, light brown hair was slightly mussed, as if blown by the wind that had come in the open window of the carriage during their ride. He had a ‘cat that ate the canary’ smile on his lips, as if he knew a secret and wasn’t telling.
 
Buffy moved over, took his hand, and let him lift her down from the high carriage. It wouldn’t have been a problem in jeans and sneakers, but was rather tricky in a long dress and heels. Once on the sidewalk, she knew precisely where they were. It was the Weckerly home on Macaulay Road in London; just a short ways down the street was Clapham Common. Based on her attire and the carriage, which had a one horsepower ‘engine’ that ran on oats, Buffy guessed it wasn’t 2011 anymore.

 

“Thank you James … that will be all for the night,” William called to the driver of the carriage.
 
“I … uhhh …” the driver stammered a moment. “That is to say…” James started, looking sheepishly down at his passengers. But William was no longer looking at him or listening; his full attention was focused on Buffy. James hesitated a moment longer, then offered a heavy sigh before saying, “Very good, Mr. William,” and clicking his tongue at the chestnut mare. The carriage moved away slowly with wheels grinding and hooves clomping loudly on the dirty cobblestones of the street.
 
“Please be honest with me, now, Avengelyne,” William began as he slid a hand against the small of her back and guided her up the walkpath to the front door. “Did you really enjoy it or were you simply being polite to spare my feelings?”
 
As had become her custom when she was with Spike in her dreams, Buffy watched the man she was with warily, looking for signs of Riley Finn lurking just below the surface. But Riley didn’t know about Macaulay Road or anything about William, and he certainly would’ve never called her ‘Avengelyne’. She let out a relieved breath, although not a lot, because the corset she was strapped into wouldn’t allow much breath to be taken in. She felt sure this wasn’t Riley Finn playing a trick on her and allowed herself to relax.
 
Buffy smiled and tried to figure out what he was talking about. Despite the cool night air, a slight blush crept up her throat and colored her cheeks with warmth as the night she spent with William in the Common came rushing back to her. Certainly that wasn’t what he was referring to, was it?
 
“It was … lovely,” she hedged. “Perhaps we could do it again soon.”

 

William brightened and a boyish grin crept across his lips, clearly pleased with her reply. He opened the door for her and let her precede him into the house, still smiling almost giddily. The house looked just the same as Buffy remembered from her trip back in time. Not only looked the same but smelled the same and even felt the same. The foyer and front palour were lit with a couple of low-burning oil lamps, which gave the whole interior a warm, inviting glow. The large grandfather clock on the far wall said it was after midnight – apparently everyone else in the house was in bed. It was cozy and comfortable and she immediately, and most inexplicably, felt right at home. She felt as if she belonged here.
 
“I must admit, not too very long ago I would’ve scoffed at the preposterous idea of sorcery and spells, but since I met you, my dear …” He let his voice trail off as Buffy turned around to face him, their bodies only inches apart.
 
She smiled at him and reached out to touch his face with a gloved hand. “Since you met me you believe in magic?”
 
William closed his eyes and leaned into her touch. “Indeed,” he agreed. Opening his eyes he added, “What else could explain you enjoying an opera … albeit a comedic one?” he teased with a slightly evil glint in his eyes. It reminded her so much of Spike it took her breath away and brought a small smile to the corners of her mouth.
 
Buffy put on a haughty air and acted thoroughly offended. “I’ll have you know I’m quite cultured and refined, my dear sir, and I resent your implication that I wouldn’t enjoy the opera.”
 
“Indeed,” William continued to tease as they stood in the foyer of the large Victorian home, “that was the very first thought I had of you when you appeared in my bedchamber uninvited and unannounced – how very cultured and refined you were.”

 

Buffy laughed and slid her hand down from his cheek, letting it come to rest on his chest. “Well, you do only get one chance to make a good first impression. I’m glad I didn’t give you the wrong idea, like I was some kind of crazy harlot from Bedlam who just broke in to seduce you and use your body for my own pleasures.”
 
William laughed easily with a joy that sparkled in his eyes, and Buffy thought he’d never looked more handsome. That was a little strange since she really hadn’t spent a lot of time with William before, just a few hours, but now it somehow felt like she’d been with him for quite some time.
 
She remembered the sadness and pain in his eyes that night when she’d visited him in the past. It broke her heart when he admitted that his wife, Cecily, didn’t love him as he loved her. Then, when Buffy tried to explain why she couldn’t stay in this time with him, the pain and hurt and betrayal that shone in his eyes nearly killed her. Remembering that made it hard for Buffy to imagine William laughing like this, teasing so freely, looking so joyful.
 
She loved his new-found confidence and wondered where it had come from. Her need to ponder that question lasted only a few seconds, however, as he leaned in and touched his lips to hers softly. Buffy moaned against his mouth and let him pull her body against his as he deepened the kiss. If it wasn’t clear before, it was abundantly clear that she wasn’t just the lunatic nursemaid from America, or the fallen angel trying to get her wings back, any longer.
 
“You had me from ‘hello’, my darling angel. I’ve been entangled in the spell of your eyes, your hair, the curve of your lips … the beauty of your heart from that very moment. You cast a love spell upon me with barely a word,” he admitted. “You have no idea what you do to me.”
 
Buffy’s smile got wider as she slid her hand down his chest, across his abs, and cupped his erection in her palm. “Oh, I think I have some idea,” she teased as she leaned back against him and captured his lips with hers.
 
When they were forced to break the kiss in order to breathe, William slid his hand down and laid it over hers, pressing her palm hard against his urgent need. “Oh, dear lord!” he exclaimed suddenly, removing his hand and stuffing it down into the pocket of his trousers.
 
“What … did I … hurt you?” Buffy asked, her eyes wide with fear.

 

“No, my darling … it’s just,” William pulled out a wad of bills from his pocket and held it up.
 
Buffy’s eyes went wider, then her brows furrowed in confusion. Maybe she was a harlot, after all. “Is that for …” Buffy swallowed, unable to even complete the thought. Her heart wrenched in her chest. Was that what this was? Cecily was out of town or something and she was the … other woman? The other paid woman? The whore?
 
William nodded. “I’m terribly sorry, my darling. I was so enthralled by your beauty that I failed to pay …”
 
Buffy’s eyes were growing wider by the moment. Her stomach lurched and roiled, her heart ached, and tears stung the back of her eyes.
 
“… James his wages,” William finished, pulling away from her. “I’ll only be a moment – I’ll just catch him at the stable and …”
 
“The money is for … James? The carriage driver?” Buffy interrupted him, her mind still whirling.
 
“Yes. I’d meant to give it to him when he dropped us. He must think me a simpleton to have forgotten something so important,” William explained as he headed for door. “I’ll only be a moment … or well ... several, actually,” he called over his shoulder as the door closed behind him.
 
Buffy blew out a relieved breath and wiped the bead of sweat from her brow with her glove. She needed to get her bearings, that was for sure. She turned quickly, hiked her skirt up, and headed down the hall to William’s study. Inside the book-lined room, she went to his desk and began rummaging for what she knew must be here … and she was right. His journal.

 

Buffy fiddled with the oil lamp until she finally figured out how to make the flame go higher and then began scanning through the entries quickly.
 
September 22nd, 1880:
 
I finally found the courage on this night to propose to my lovely Cecily. She accepted! I am the happiest man…
 
~*~
 
Buffy swallowed the bile that rose in her throat and kept flipping …
 
~*~
 
January 19th, 1881:
 
The pews were full, mother sat near where I stood, right in front. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen her more proud and joyful. Cecily was like an angel as her father walked her down the aisle at Holy Trinity Church of Clapham this glorious morning. The only thing that eclipsed the large wedding was our wedding night. Propriety dictates I not elaborate here. Suffice it to say it was momentous.
 
~*~
 
Buffy rolled her eyes. Momentous, my ass. My night with him was momentous … I wonder what he wrote about that?
 
Buffy skipped forward in the book quickly. She went past the births of Anne and Bess, looking for December of 1891. She had to pause when she came to a page that was completely blank save for the date and just a few words.
 
~*~
 
October 24th, 1886:
 
Mother passed in her sleep last evening. I am … overwhelmed with sorrow. Mere words are insufficient to express my grief. It is all-encompassing. My very soul seems to be leaden with despair.

 
~*~
 

Buffy paused there and tears stung her eyes. She ran her hand over the page as if trying to soothe William’s broken heart. She wished she could’ve been there to hold him, as Spike had held her when her own mother died. Buffy wiped at her eyes with her gloves and moved on; there was nothing she could do to take his pain away now.
 
~*~
 
December 15th, 1891:
 
My hands are trembling as I write this. My heart has filled beyond capacity with an emotion I can scarcely describe with words. I had thought that I knew the color of true love, but I had no inkling of its rich, vibrant lustre until this very night. This night I met Avengelyne. This night my life changed. I should feel shame for this, guilt and remorse, but I can feel only joy. This fallen angel has wrapped around my soul, captured me with barely a word, lifted me to heaven with her, and promised to stay…

 
~*~
 
“Promised to stay…” Buffy repeated aloud. Her voice was so loud it seemed to echo in the silence of the room. She looked up nervously, afraid someone might've heard her, but the door was closed – there was no one about. She scooted from behind the desk and hurried to the door, opened it, and looked down the hall to make sure William hadn’t returned. She didn’t see him or hear anyone moving about in the old house. Her heart fluttered nervously in her chest as she closed the door to the study and returned to the desk as quickly as she could.
 
She kept flipping pages and scanning the entries in the journal as quickly as she could.
 
~*~
 
December 30th, 1891:
 
Avengelyne, or Elizabeth as everyone else knows her, lives under my very roof and yet I cannot touch her. She awaits the birth of my son … she’s to be the nursemaid. I am going quite mad being so close and yet so far away from her. Stolen whispers in the dark are all that we can abide. I have contacted a solicitor to inquire about obtaining a divorce from Cecily, but Avengelyne insists that I wait. Wait for my son to be born. I have tried to explain the complexities of divorce and the time it will require to my darling angel, but she is steadfast in this. I yearn for her every moment of every day, but have been unable to do more than steal a single kiss during this last fortnight. I feel as if I may burst into flame at any moment.
 
Cecily has shown me more attention these last days than she has the whole of our marriage, and yet, I can scarcely stand to look at her, let alone touch her. I am afraid that she will see my love, my longing, for the young American and I force myself to be attentive to my wife, although it physically pains me to do so.

 
~*~
 
Buffy’s brow furrowed. Cecily had allowed her to stay in the house? That seemed … impossible. Or was the ex-demon so certain that William would never stray … so certain of William’s undying love that she let Buffy stay just to rub the Slayer’s nose in it? Buffy harrumphed and kept reading.
 
~*~
 
December 31st, 1891:
 
As I write this on the first morning of the new year of our God, 1892, my head is pounding, my vision blurred, and my heart heavy and full of remorse. I must admit to partaking in the libations much too freely at the New Year’s Eve celebration at the Addams’ home last evening, but that explains only a small portion of my discomfort. Last evening I was unfaithful to my true love. I had relations with my wife.


 

~*~
 
Buffy’s breath caught in her throat as she read the last two sentences again. Unfaithful to my true love … relations with my wife.
She took a deep breath and continued to read…
 
~*~
 
My level of inebriation is no excuse. My desperate state of yearning for Avengelyne is no excuse. I have no excuse for my loutish behavior.
 
When I came into my bedchamber last evening after returning from the WC, Cecily was there, waiting. She has made overtures towards me more frequently of late, which I have deflected feigning illness or overwork. I fear that she knows the truth of me; the truth of Avengelyne. And yet she says nothing to reveal such knowledge or suspicion. My angel maintains that I wait to tell my wife the truth of my heart. Wait for the child to be born. Avengelyne has known things she couldn’t possibly know about me, about my family, so I must trust her when she says that Cecily is a ‘vengeful bitch’ who would ‘kill our children without a thought’ if she knew the truth. And so I have remained silent. But this … what I have done … I am so horribly ashamed.
 
My wife stood in the faint light of the moon in my bedchamber, completely disrobed. Her abdomen stood round and hard beneath her full breasts. I was awestruck by this vision. I had never seen her in this state before; she has never shown me this miracle with Anne or Bess. I could not stop my hand from reaching out and touching the child that grew within her. It was my undoing. My lust overtook my good sense.
 
I saw only Avengelyne as my wife turned her back, bent over my bed and spread her legs, offering herself to my aching need, but it matters not. I am certain Avengelyne will know my deceit when she lays eyes on me this morning. I fear that she will leave my household, leave me, and how could I blame her? How could I ask her to forgive me? I have been untrue to my heart, I have spit in the face of my angel’s love; I have committed adultery with my own wife.
 
No words exist to suitably express my remorse and shame. The fear of losing my angel grows with each passing moment, for I know she will know with barely a look.

 
~*~
 
Buffy felt a green monster swirl up from her gut and threaten to consume her. She felt overwhelming anger with Cecily – the wife that had made love to him only ten times in ten years. Up until now, Cecily’s only interest in William was using him to somehow clone Buffy and Spike’s children with her magical vengeance wish. The rest of the time, she kept him at arm’s length while fooling around with his boss from University: the ‘vulgarian’, Daniel Retchford.
 
She felt so sorry for William. His tender heart was caught in the middle of a power struggle between Buffy and Cecily, each one tugging at him, trying to gain the upper hand. It wasn’t fair to him. It was like two parents using a child in a divorce to get back at the other, never considering what damage is being done to the child caught in the middle.
 
“I’m sorry, William. It wasn’t your fault,” Buffy whispered to the empty room, laying her hand on the page as tears trickled from her eyes. “Please don’t blame yourself.”
 
Buffy turned the page quickly, hoping that her past-self would understand as well as she did, and forgive him.
 
~*~
 
January 1st, 1892:

As I knew she would, Avengelyne knew of my indiscretion the moment she laid eyes on me this morning. I could see the hurt in her eyes, the quiver of her chin just before she turned and hurried out to the back garden with Bess and Anne in tow. I was compelled to follow her – I had to beg her to forgive me, no matter who heard, lest she depart, never to return. In the garden, she sat alone on the bench under the cherry tree, watching the girls play their game on the lawn. The sadness rolled off her like the waves roll to the shore at Brighton.
 


I sat down next to her, unable to meet her gaze. My head dropped in shame, my hands were clasped in my lap like a schoolboy awaiting penance from the headmaster. To my utter surprise and relief, her small hand covered mine for just a moment.
 
“It’s alright, William. I know what happened. I still love you.”
 
My relief was palpable.

I could barely blink my tears of shame and relief back quickly enough to keep them from falling from my eyes. Then she stood quickly and was gone, across the garden to join the girls in their fanciful game. I stared after her and my heart expanded a thousandfold with love for this woman who is a true angel from heaven.
 
~*~
 
Buffy let out the breath she’d been holding and swallowed back her tears. “Thank God,” she whispered to herself.
 
~*~
 
January 5th, 1892:
 
My heart is conflicted as I write this. As my fallen angel predicted, Cecily delivered a son this very morning. William Wesley Weckerly, Jr. He’s a fine boy with flaxen hair the color of a dandelion and eyes as blue as a cornflower, just like sweet Bess. They must get this from Mother – I can see a glimpse of her in his small face. This, of course, fills me with joy beyond words. The conflict I feel is … Do I dare express it here? I should not, but I must or I will certainly burst. Cecily has passed! I say this not with horror, but with glee. She gave me a son, but never lived to see his face. I should be in mourning – I am anything but mournful. For this disrespect I should feel overwhelming guilt; I feel only freedom. I should have tears of misery staining my face; I have only tears of joy. This night I will hold my Avengelyne and pray that God can forgive me my transgressions.
 
My entire body is tingling with anticipation. My heart is fluttering in my chest like a bird taking flight. I am free. I am in love. I am loved in return. If God cannot forgive me, then I will gladly give my soul to the devil for this extraordinary pleasure.

 
~*~
 

Buffy blinked back tears and sniffed back her emotions. Cecily was dead. Buffy wasn’t crying for Cecily, but for the conflict that William felt over being happy about her passing. She had, after all, given him three perfect children. Buffy’s perfect children.
 
“Guess what goes around, comes around, bitch,” Buffy murmured to herself.
 
~*~
 
January 6th, 1892:
 
Last night was the second most glorious night of my life. Yes – the devil may have my soul as long as he never takes Avengelyne from my arms.
 
~*~
 
January 10th, 1892:
 
Only three days since burying Cecily and Avengelyne has imparted the most wondrous news to me. She is with child! I am overjoyed and vexed in the same breath. To wed her now would be an unmitigated disgrace. It would trample every societal rule, spit in the face of the church and God Himself. And yet, I do not care and neither does she. I will wed her this very week.
 
~*~
 
January 15th, 1892:
 
This day we took the carriage to the small town of Rye and were wed in a civil ceremony at the Register’s office in the town hall. Avengelyne deserves considerably more, but it is all that can be done. We cannot be wed in the church this soon after Cecily’s death. This whole affair is very improper and I fear the retribution that will surely follow from my peers, but I am certain that this angel is my destiny. I can feel it in my very soul. I am more sure of her love than I am the sun will rise on the morrow.
 
~*~
 
February 28th, 1892:
 
The ill-mannered offensive oafs of this town make me seethe in undisguised anger. Do they think that I cannot hear their disapproving utterances and whispers? See their boorish stares when we are out in public? Yes! Yes I knew this would happen! Yes, I am well aware of the mores we have trampled marrying so soon after Cecily’s passing and crossing social classes. Knowing this does not make it any less painful. Avengelyne says I should be ‘Donald Duck’. I do not know who Donald Duck is, but she insists that I let their scornful looks and hurtful words roll off me like water off a duck’s back. She’s even gone so far as to quack at me under her breath to remind me. She possesses wisdom beyond her years and always has the most colorful way of seeing the world. If the imbeciles who know nothing of true love don’t upset her, then I refuse to allow them upset me. I strive to become the epitome of Donald Duck.
 

~*~
 
Buffy laughed out loud with that and shook her head. She looked up at the closed door and wondered just how far away those stables were. She bit her lip and continued flipping through the journal, hoping they were a good ways off.
 
~*~
 
March 18th, 1892:
 
I feel so badly for Avengelyne. The ladies in our social circle will not even give her the time of day. There are no invitations to soirées or gala balls. Even Anne and Bess have lost friends due to our impropriety. I must hand it to my angel, however – she conducts herself with dignity and pride. She truly adores the children and they have accepted her as if they’d known her their entire lives. The girls have taken to her as if there was some kind of secret bond between them and began calling her ‘Mother’ almost immediately, as if it were the most natural thing in the world to do.
 
Avengelyne has infected the entire household with pure joy and happiness. These emotions haven’t been seen within these walls in many a year, and I find myself caught up in her enthusiasm for life. She even gets on well with the house staff and they her! The house maid, Theresa, the young new nursemaid/governess, Cassandra, and even Miss Nellie all adore her. And how could they not? If only the other ladies would give her half a chance, they would see the wonder of her. Avengelyne says she doesn’t care, that she’s happy simply spending time with me and the children, but I am disquieted by this, nonetheless.
 
~*~
 
June 6th, 1892:
 
This night was a soirée they could not keep us from: the year-end gathering for the staff members at University. Elizabeth was simply amazing this night. She was utterly unpretentious and completely captivating. Her charms enthralled more than one of my colleagues, despite their wives’ undisguised revulsion and disapproval of our improper union. I do believe she sparked a bit of envy for me in the hearts of the men, and that, if I am truthful, has swelled my pride. It was a joy watching Elizabeth work her magic on them. She joined in conversations of politics, business, industry, and science that, as a rule, the fairer sex would have no interest or cause to partake in. She represented her gender brilliantly, with a new point of view that left the men gawping in amazement. I could not be more proud of her.

 
~*~
 
September 6th, 1892:
 
It is a girl! Just as beautiful as her mother, with auburn locks the color of spun sunlight! A little angel, delivered to us directly from God’s hand. Perhaps all is forgiven, after all.
 
I can see people ticking off the months since my improper wedding to my inappropriate bride on their fingers. As my Avengelyne says so eloquently, ‘fuck them’. The child is perfect. Her mother is perfect. Life is perfect.
 

~*~
 
Buffy heard the front door close and she jumped as if she’d been shot. Oh shit! She frantically slammed the journal closed and slid it back into its place behind his desk, then scurried from the room. William was just coming down the hallway when she closed the door behind herself.

 

“William!” she exclaimed nervously. “What took you so long?”
 
“I do apologize, my love. James left his carriage in the charge of a stable boy and had already alit for home by the time I arrived. I simply felt horrid, so I had no choice but to make the journey out to the East End to deliver his wages,” William explained.
 
“You’re very considerate, William Weckerly,” Buffy told him, hoping her racing heart and flushed face wouldn’t give away her nervousness about nearly being caught reading his private journal.
 
“I trust you found something to keep yourself occupied in my absence,” William questioned, cocking a brow at the library door at her back.
 
“I … uhhhh … Shakespeare!” Buffy blurted out. “Gotta love ole Billy and those tragedies,” she enthused with what she hoped was a smile that didn’t look too plastic.
 
“So … where were we?” she asked, her voice turning seductive as she stepped up to him and wrapped her arms around his neck.
 
William tilted his head to the side slightly and smiled as he pulled her body tightly against his. “I believe we were just here, dear wife,” he answered, dropping his lips to hers.
 
**~** 

NOTE:

The comic opera Avengelyne and William saw was: The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer is a two-act comic opera, with a libretto by W. S. Gilbert and music by Arthur Sullivan. It was the British duo's third operatic collaboration. The plot of The Sorcerer is based on a Christmas story, An Elixir of Love, that Gilbert wrote for The Graphic magazine in 1876. A young man, Alexis, is obsessed with idea of love leveling all ranks and social distinctions. To promote his beliefs, he invites the proprietor of J. W. Wells & Co., Family Sorcerers, to brew a love potion. This causes everyone in the village to fall in love with the first person they see and results in the pairing of comically mismatched couples. In the end, Wells must sacrifice himself to break the spell.

The opera opened on 17 November 1877 at the Opera Comique in London, where it ran for 178 performances. It was considered a success by the standards of that time. The Sorcerer was revised for an 1884 revival, and it is in that version that it is usually performed today.

 **~**

{{  Click here to hear The Way Things Might Have Been, Gregg Allman Band on YouTube  }}


Lately more than ever now,
My mind keeps drifting back in time...
And again I find myself dreaming
About the way things might've been
These days...they come, and go so fast
And I can’t believe, my heart will ever last
A whole lifetime
... Living here without you

Leaning back and laughing
Such an easy thing to sell
Going thru the motions
What a show...
Suddenly this feeling,
Grabbed me by my heart
...And it won't let go...
And I need you so...

Still torn between your cheating heart,
There's a damn good chance,
That you'll tear mine all apart...
I could spend my life or a wonder,
...About the way things might have been

So wrap me up...and take me home,
Tell me one more time...that I ain’t doing no wrong,
Oh, tell me,...baby tell me,...
Is this the way things should have been?

Leaning back and laughing
Such an easy thing to sell
Going thru the motions
What a show…
Suddenly this feeling,
Grabbed me by my heart,
...And it won't let go...
End Notes:
More of the dream to come ... Can she find some answers to their real-life problems in a dream of what might've been?
Promises, Promises by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Will Buffy’s dream of an altered past take her? Can she find some answers to her problems in a dream of another time and of what might’ve been?
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Trivia:
The Hokey-Pokey dance, called Hokey-Cokey in the UK, was, according to WIKIPEDIA, invented in 1940 during the Blitz in London. A Canadian officer suggested to Al Tabor, a British bandleader of the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s that he write a party song with actions similar to "Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree". The inspiration for the song's title that resulted, the hokey pokey, came from an ice cream vendor whom Tabor had heard as a boy, calling out, "Hokey pokey penny a lump. Have a lick make you jump". He changed the name to the "hokey cokey" at the suggestion of the officer who said that cokey, in Canada, meant "crazy" and would sound better. Before the invention of ice cream cones, ice cream was often sold wrapped in waxed paper and known as a hokey-pokey (possibly a corruption of the Italian ‘ecco un poco’ - "here is a little"). An Italian ice cream street vendor was called a hokey-pokey man.

Infant formula history:
In 1867, the Swiss merchant Henri Nestle invented the first artificial infant food, and in 1873, 500,000 boxes of Nestle's Milk Food were sold in the United States as well as in Europe, Argentina, and the Dutch East Indies. By the late 1880s, several brands of mass-produced foods, mostly grain mixtures to be mixed with milk or water, were on the market. These included Liebig's Food, Carnick's Soluble Food, Eskay's Albumenized Food, Imperial Granum, Wagner's Infant Food and Mellin's Food. Mellin's was perhaps the most widely used. Mellin's food required neither boiling nor straining, that having already been done, but is almost instantly prepared for use by dissolving a certain quantity in hot water and then adding cold milk.
---Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, Andrew F. Smith editor [Oxford University Press:New York] 2004, volume 1 (p. 57)

How much did these powdered formulas cost? Advertisement published in the New York Times, March 30, 1884 (p. 3) states: Nestle's Milk Food, 70 cents--$1.00; Mellin's Food, 30 cents-50 cents. Horlick's Food, 65 cents-$1.00.

**~**

Buffy’s Dream, Saturday, April 30th, 2011:
 
The only sound in the house was the couple’s labored breathing and soft footfalls on the creaky stairs. Buffy remembered how she’d watched William help his pregnant wife, Cecily, up these very stairs on that one night she’d spent in this house. Although she didn’t specifically remember it, she knew he would’ve done the same for her many times over the last months.
 
On the third floor, William opened the door to their bedchamber. Buffy hesitated momentarily, unsure if she was supposed to enter there or go across the hall as Cecily had done that night. Perhaps she should go across the hall and change into … bedclothes? Maybe he would come to her there? The look of urgency in William’s eyes, which held the passion she’d seen time and again in Spike’s, answered her question.
 
She stepped in and moved up to the window, which overlooked the back garden. It was bathed in moonlight and looked like a pristine, peaceful oasis from the grime and bustle of the city that lived on the other side of the house. Light danced off the small fish pond in the center of the area as small ripples formed on the surface of the water, then faded. A wide lawn surrounded the man-made pond and garden was edged with flowerbeds. Three or four benches were scattered around, each with a different view of the garden. A large cherry tree cast a dark shadow in one corner, blotting out he moonlight and hiding whatever was beneath it from Buffy's view. William came up to her and she turned to face him, expecting another kiss, but he surprised her by kneeling down in front of her. He began to methodically unhook all the many fasteners that held her shoes to her feet. Buffy had to smile – I mean, really? That took chivalry to a whole new level.
 
“William?” Buffy asked tentatively.
 
“Yes, my darling?” he replied, looking up momentarily from his task.
 
Buffy cleared her throat. “You … I mean, I could probably do that,” she offered.
 
William’s expression grew concerned. “You don’t enjoy … What I mean is, I thought you … I’m dreadfully sorry, Avengelyne,” he stammered, standing up. “I simply thought you enjoyed my unwrapping you from your trappings as much as …”


 
“No! William, I do … I just didn’t want you to feel like … a servant or something. You’re not beneath me,” Buffy rushed the words out, laying a hand on his arm.
 
“You’ve never made me feel that I was, my angel. I simply … well, I know you no longer need my help with your clothing, but I do so look forward to unwrapping my wonderful present each night. I know it isn’t proper for a husband to help his wife dress and disrobe each day, but it fills me with a joy I cannot …” William stopped talking and ran a hand through his curls, then pressed his palm to the back of his neck as a slight flush rose to his cheeks.
 
Buffy reached out and touched his face and gave him a smile. “I love being unwrapped by you. All these buttons and … what the heck are those things on my shoes anyway?” she asked holding one foot out from under her dress and looking at it.
 
“Hooks and eyes, dear,” William explained. Buffy knew from his overly patient tone that he’d told her that before, probably several times. “I know the layers upon layers of clothing and contraptions are confounding to you, my angel. And I know that you could master it if you wished, but … I’d very much like to continue our tradition, if it doesn’t offend you too terribly.
 
“That is … unless you’ve suddenly become a proper lady. In which case, I must insist you bring my Avengelyne back, for ‘proper’ and ‘Avengelyne’ rarely go hand in hand. It is one of the innumerable things that I love about you.”
 
Buffy smiled and shrugged slightly. “Well … since you put it that way. I’d love to be unwrapped by you every night for the rest of our lives, William. You are my destiny … You know that, right?”
 
William shrugged slightly. “So you have said many times, my darling. I’m afraid you have gotten the worst of this bargain.”
 
“No,” Buffy argued gently. “You’re a good man, William. Decent, sweet, kind, proper … I love you so much.”
 
William laughed lightly, his eyes glittering in the moonlight that shone through the window. “I’m afraid that since I met you I am no longer proper, my love. I sometimes cannot recall how to even spell the word. For that, I am eternally grateful.”
 
Buffy snorted a soft laugh and nodded. She was sure that was true.
 
Buffy watched William work the hooks on her shoes in the moonlight and she reached down to touch his long curls. She wondered if William thought they made him look like a ponce like Spike did. She hoped not. She loved them and felt like she could spend hours with her fingers entangled in their softness. William looked up at her and their eyes met across the short distance. Buffy’s breath caught in her throat and she was again taken by the way he looked at her. All the shyness and awkwardness seemed to be gone, replaced by love and passion and confidence that had been lying dormant, just waiting for the right person to help bring it out into the light.
 
No words were spoken as William unwrapped his lovely wife from her trappings. Slipping her small feet out of her shoes, he set them to one side before standing up and lifting first one of her hands, then the other, so he could remove her gloves and unbutton the cuffs of her dress.
 
After pulling her gloves off, he gently kissed the tip of each of her fingers in turn, then placed sweet kisses against her small, soft palms. After unbuttoning the tight cuffs of her sleeves, he caressed the red lines that they left on her wrists with his lips and fingers. Soft, mewling moans escaped his throat as he inhaled the fragrance of her and tasted her sweet skin.
 
Buffy let him move her without objection. She watched as he slowly found every button, every hook, every knotted strand of lace, and slowly, gently undid them all. Each confounding device was replaced with a kiss or a lick or a caress of his hand. It was like a dance, slow and sensual, one she knew they’d danced many times before, although she had no memory of it.
 
The dress had an untold number of buttons down the back and he slowly and deliberately unbuttoned each one. He replaced each button with a touch of his lips to her back, until he could slide the dress off her shoulders and down to the floor. Buffy stepped out of it and he picked it up and draped it over a chair before turning back to his sensuous task.
 
William then set to work on the camisole, crinoline, and petticoats that were layered under the skirt, giving it the fullness and bustle in the back that was the fashion of the day, replacing each one with the touch of his lips to her body. Then he dropped back down to her milky thighs and unhooked the garters that held her stockings up. His tongue traced over the line the garters had stretched up her thighs and Buffy thought her knees might buckle any moment from the ecstasy of it. Her body longed for him, wanted to push him down and end the blissful torture, but this was his dance – he had the lead – she would follow.

 

William rolled the stockings down her legs slowly and carefully, finally removing them from her feet in perfect condition to be rolled back on the next day. His long, slender fingers were like ghosts as they slid the silken garments off, conjuring chill bumps on her heated skin as he trailed his delicate hands ever so slowly down her legs.
 
His fingers felt warm and tender, and they left trails of tingles on her body everywhere they brushed against her heated flesh. Buffy knew it was no accident when his thumb passed over her nipple as he turned her around to loosen her corset. She couldn’t stop the moan that broke the silence in their room when he did that. She was sure she saw Spike’s smirk christen William’s lips before he stepped behind her to work his magic on the painfully tight garment. As he let the torture device fall away, he dropped a warm kiss on her bare shoulder and Buffy closed her eyes, letting herself get lost in the feel of his soft lips on her skin.
 
William continued unwrapping his beautiful wife. He moved back in front of her and lifted her chemise over her head, then untied the string that held her bloomers up and let the crotchless, cotton garment fall to the floor. Buffy giggled slightly at the thought of crotchless undies in these stuffy, sexual-repressed Victorian times. She assumed they were a practical matter, since it would be nearly impossible to get them down to go to the bathroom without completely undressing. Still, she thought it funny and oddly ironic.
 
William’s smile widened when she giggled. “You always find that amusing, my love.”
 
Buffy looked up at him. “Well, don’t you? I mean, I was pretty sure they were invented by … I don’t know – Pamela Anderson or … Hugh Heffner or someone like that.”

 

William shook his head. “When I see them, I can think of no one but you and your lesson for me of their quite improper use. I can no longer sit at my desk at University without a stirring in my loins for you. I can see you atop the heavy mahogany, I can feel you engulfing me just as you did that night you accompanied me to retrieve the book I left behind. You, my dear, are quite the instructor.”
 
Now it was Buffy’s turn to feel a slight blush rising up from her neck to her cheeks. She gave him a saucy smile as she imagined making love to him atop his desk in his classroom. Oh, she had definitely sullied dear William’s innocence.
 
William ghosted his fingers down her bare arms; her creamy skin called to him in the moonlight and he dipped his mouth down to taste one dark nipple. Buffy moaned again and ran her fingers through his hair as her pussy throbbed and yearned for him to touch her there. But he didn’t. He pulled back and moved behind her again – his task of undressing his lovely wife not yet complete.
 
William pulled the combs and pins from his angel’s hair and her long, auburn locks fell in silken waves over her shoulders and down her back. Buffy tilted her head back and shook it from side to side, shifting her hair softly over the bare skin of her back.

 

William stepped back and watched her in the soft light of the moon as it poured in through their window and bathed her in its luminescence. In its heavenly glow, she appeared even more angel-like than normal.
 
“I love how you move, how you moan,” William whispered. “How you yearn for me, just as I yearn for you. You are a dream, Avengelyne, one I pray I’ll never awaken from.”
 
Buffy turned around to face him, her heart in her throat, unable to speak, as he began unbuttoning his own clothes. She wished she could help him, undress him as he’d done her, but she had no idea where the buttons were. She was sure, in the relative dark of the room, she would likely end up ripping more off than actually unbuttoning. William didn’t seem to mind, though, as he undressed by rote, years of repetition making it unnecessary for him to even look at what he was doing. Buffy licked her lips as she watched him lose his jacket, his waistcoat, and his tie, drop his braces from his shoulders, then shed his cufflinks. After that came his shirt and then his undershirt. He draped his clothing, one piece at a time, over the same chair where he’d left her dress.
 
Spike’s smirk returned to William’s lips and Buffy suppressed a grin as she watched him continue undressing: removing his shoes and socks, his trousers, and finally his underwear. What she saw was no surprise, of course, but it still made her smile widely to see his desire for her standing so hard and proud in the dim light of the moon. There was no fear or shame on William’s face like there had been the first time she’d seen him in his crowning glory. Now there was just that lustful desire that she knew so well. It was a look that mirrored Spike’s blue eyes as he stood in front of her, unabashed.
 
Buffy moved forward and removed William’s spectacles, setting them down gently on the bedside table. She pressed soft kisses on his eyelids, then the tip of his nose, then his lips, then she just kept traveling down. Over his strong chin, his Adam’s apple, the soft indentation between his clavicle bones at the base of his throat, tickling her hands down his sides at the same time.
 
William’s nipples stood at attention for her when she trailed her tongue over one, then the other, circling them lightly and nipping at them gently with her teeth. A deep moan fell from his lips and his cock jumped and bobbed as she teased him, just as he’d done her. He tangled his hands in her long, fiery mane as she worked her way down to his flat abs. Someone’s been working out, she thought with a grin as she kissed each quivering muscle of his six pack.
 
“I still make you tremble,” she whispered against his soft skin.
 
“Always,” he agreed breathily.

 

Buffy dropped down to her knees and touched the tip of her tongue to his cum slit, tasting the creamy pearl of pre-cum with a moan of her own.
 
“Avengelyne … what you do to me,” William groaned out, watching her in the soft light as his whole body shuddered in need.
 
Buffy’s lips wrapped around the mushroom head of his cock as her tongue continued to swirl softly ‘round and ‘round his slit, making William’s legs tremble and his knees weaken. Buffy clamped her hands onto his slim hips to help support him, digging her nails into the soft flesh of his ass and he cried out in surprise. She would’ve eased her grip on him, but she could tell he liked it by the way his cock throbbed and pulsed in her mouth. Buffy suddenly crashed her mouth down on him, swallowing his length and sucking down hard. William’s resolve shattered in that instant.
 
“Dear Lord God!” he exclaimed as he lost control and his cum spewed into her mouth. She dug her nails into his ass even harder as his hips bucked against her involuntarily and she took every drop of nectar he had to offer. Before she could even lick him clean, he was dragging her up from her knees and his mouth crashed against hers ferociously, his tongue delving into her, needing to taste his essence on her sweet, honeyed lips.
 
The gentle unwrapping of his gift was over. Now was the time to give her what he knew she needed, what she longed for, and what he longed to give to her. He lived to make her scream his name and call to Almighty God. He loved lifting his angel back to the heavens.
 
William pushed her back across the room until her knees hit the soft, downy mattress and she fell backwards onto the bed. William dropped to the floor in front of her and spread her dimpled knees, running his hands up her thighs roughly until her pink, dew-covered blossom was opened for him.
 
“Oh, darling … how beautiful you are, so wet and soft,” he breathed tenderly to her as he dropped his mouth to her mound and whispered his tongue across her clit.
 
“Oh, William!” Buffy exclaimed, as she tangled her fingers in his hair and lifted her legs, resting her feet on his strong shoulders. He leaned into her and tasted her sweet juices, which he knew were the real ‘Nectar of the Gods’, despite her claim to the contrary.
 
William’s tongue and lips caressed her softly at first, barely touching her clit, just dipping slightly into her throbbing hole, and grazing gently over her taint before starting their trek back up again. Buffy writhed and moaned under his teasing touch, trying to press his mouth against her harder as she raised her hips up to meet him. But he refused to be controlled and pulled away when she did that.
 
“Fallen angels must wait for their reward,” he chastised her as he ghosted his fingers against the outer petals of her flower.
 
Buffy moaned and whined and finally begged just a little. When she saw Spike’s smirk come back to his lips, she knew she’d taught him well; perhaps a little too well.
 
“Will you be a good lass now?” he asked, cocking a brow at her.
 
Buffy nodded and fisted the sheets under her to keep from pulling against him again.
 
“Very well then,” he acquiesced as he slid a finger into her and dropped his mouth back to her clit.
 
An unintelligible gasp escaped her throat. She closed her fists tighter on the sheet to keep from reaching out to him as he began sliding his finger in and out of her slowly … oh so slowly … too slowly.
 
“Yes … William, more, please,” she begged him.
 
“All in good time, my dear Avengelyne,” he assured her as he slid another finger in with the first, but kept his slow, steady pace.
 
He circled her clit with his tongue and Buffy thought she would explode with frustration. Her whole body tingled and thrummed with need. She felt like a volcano was bubbling inside her, molten lava just under the surface, just waiting for one small crack in the earth’s crust to set it free and allow it to explode into the atmosphere – carrying her with it.

 

“God, William … please … please make me cum,” she begged again.
 
“Tell me, Avengelyne … tell me what you need,” William replied as if he didn’t know, his voice a low rumble. He dearly loved her telling him what she needed him to do to make her body sing.
 
“Touch me … harder,” Buffy instructed.
 
William smirked and pressed a finger hard against her thigh. “Here?”
 
Buffy lifted her head and looked at him with growing anger and frustration. “No! Not there!” she screamed at him, knowing full well that he knew what she meant.
 
“Where then, my darling? Show me.”
 
Buffy looked at him with confusion for a moment, then smiled remembering that she had shown him where and how to touch her breasts that first night. She’d probably shown him more than that since then.
 
Buffy loosened her grip on the sheets and began by circling her breasts with her fingers, slowly making smaller and smaller circles until she reached her hard nipples. She twisted and pinched them as his fingers continued moving slowly in and out of her wet slit. William was sitting back on his heels now, watching her fingers move over her glorious body. He could never see that enough. Ever since the first time she’d shown him how to touch her, he loved seeing her hands on her body just as much as he loved his own on her hot, supple flesh.
 
Buffy moaned and bucked against his fingers that were buried in her as a small eruption of the lava within her burst forth, sending ripples of pleasure through her body. Before the chill bumps had had time to fade from her skin, she trailed her hands lower. Her fingers replaced his where he was holding her pussy lips open and she circled her clit lightly at first, then her strokes got harder, more demanding as she jerked against his hand.
 
“Fuck me, William – fuck me hard, baby,” Buffy demanded as she circled her clit with her fingers, then tapped down on it hard, sending bursts of red-hot lightning zinging through her body.
 
“Harder!” Buffy demanded again and William began moving his fingers faster, slamming into her harder as he watched her body convulse and writhe in front of him. Buffy’s back arched and she screamed out as a wave of the lava burst within her, spreading its joyous heat over her like a tidal wave.
 
Before she could even come down from that orgasm, she felt William pull his fingers out and almost immediately replace them with his cock. He folded her legs up and out and slammed into her with the passion and power that he knew she needed and he loved giving her.
 
The slats on the bed under the soft down mattress creaked their objection to the pressure that was being put on them as the lovers gave each other what they each longed for. William had never known such passion could exist in a woman or even within himself, for that matter, before his beautiful, fallen angel dropped into his life from out of the blue. He yearned for her constantly, it seemed, from the moment he helped her dress in the morning until he finally got to unwrap his gift every evening. The glimmer in her eyes, even as they did the most mundane of tasks, told him that she felt the same way.
 
Buffy felt the tectonic plates within her shift as he filled her with his manhood and slammed his pubic bone against her clit. Then he dipped his head down and bit down on her nipple with his teeth, and the thin layer of solid ground that was holding the lava flow back crumbled to dust within her.
 
William covered her mouth with his to smother her screams as the volcano within her exploded high into the sky, setting the clouds on fire with their heat and burning the very air. Buffy clung to him as she danced and twirled through a colorful rainbow of flames that shot up from the fluffy white clouds. Then, with a final passionate thrust, William was there with her – joining her in the blissful dance around the heavens as his cum filled her tight, hot channel.

 

William pulled his lips from hers, but only enough so that they could both breathe in deep gasps of air. The rainbow of colors that they had been dancing in faded slowly. They floated weightlessly back down from her old home in the heavens to the one she chose to live in with him here in the mortal coil of life. If he lived to be one hundred, he would never understand her choice to stay with him, but he’d be thankful for it every one of those many, joyous days.
 
“I love you, Avengelyne,” he whispered against her ear as he released her legs and gently laid his torso down atop hers – his legs dangling down off the side of the bed, his feet barely touching the floor.
 
“I love you, William,” Buffy replied with a catch in her throat as she turned her head and dropped a kiss against his sweaty and flushed face.
 
After lying in her arms for a long while, still surrounded by her womanhood, drowning in her love, William finally, reluctantly got up. Buffy shifted on the bed to lay long-ways with her head on the pillow instead of crossways, and William climbed in behind her. He pulled the heavy quilt from the foot of the bed and covered their bare bodies with it as he spooned against her back. Another improper habit he’d picked up living with his angel: sleeping in the nude.
 
Buffy sighed contentedly as he cuddled against her and covered them both up. She pulled his arm over her body and covered his hand, which rested against the swell of her breast, with hers. His warm body felt strange against her back, but comforting all the same, and she quickly fell asleep as his warm breath tickled the nape of her neck and his heartbeat pounded strongly against her back.
 
**~**
 
William’s lips kissing a line of fire down her neck woke Buffy from her peaceful slumber and she moaned and pressed her body back against his. His morning erection, more than evident against her ass, was all the invitation she needed to open her legs to him and let him slide into her.
 
“Mmmmm,” she moaned. “Best way ever invented to wake up,” she whispered in a sleepy voice as he began moving his hips against her.
 
“So you have told me each morning, my love,” William’s deep voice rumbled against her ear. “I agree wholeheartedly.”
 
After making love, William dropped breathless kisses on her shoulder and nuzzled the back of her neck, letting her long fiery locks shimmer over his face as he breathed in the scent of her. If passion and love had a fragrance, it would be this, he knew.
 
After lying there in each other’s arms for some time, entangled in the pre-dawn dark of their room, the sun began to chase the stars from the night sky outside their window.
 
“I’ll have Cassandra bring the baby up,” he offered, reluctantly pulling away from his wife with a final kiss on her soft skin. Skin that he knew he wouldn’t see again for some hours – skin that would be covered in layer upon layer of fabric. But he knew he would, once again, have the joy of unwrapping it in the moonlight of their sanctuary later that night.
 
She simply moaned in disappointment when he pulled away, wishing he could stay just a while longer. William slipped his night clothes on, the only time he did so was in the mornings anymore, and headed out of their room. Buffy wrapped a sheet around her body, got up, and padded down the hall to where she knew the WC was, then came back and waited in their room for Cassandra, who she knew from reading William’s diary, was the nursemaid.
 
After a short time, a knock came on the door and Buffy opened it. In the hall was a young woman; Buffy guessed she was perhaps nineteen or twenty. Cassandra’s long, dishwater-blonde hair was pinned up atop her head and she had dark-blue eyes, the color of a midnight sky, that were open and friendly. Buffy was taken by the girl’s delicate features, classic beauty, and warm smile. Buffy could imagine her as a model or an actress, rather than a nursemaid.
 
Buffy smiled back at the girl and reached for the baby in her arms – a redheaded baby. MacKenzie.
 
“Little Wanda’s quite peckish this mornin’, milady. It’s a good sign after her illness. Got ‘er color back too. I reckon it was just a bit of the croup and nothin’ more,” Cassandra informed Buffy as she gently handed her the baby. Buffy guessed the infant to be perhaps six months old, the same age as MacKenzie, and she had the same red hair and creamy complexion as the prophesied ‘seer of truth’.
 
Buffy bit her lip lightly as she took the baby over to the chair in the room and sat down to breastfeed her. Wanda … we named her Wanda, Buffy thought as she watched the child she and William had made that first night in the Common suckle her breast. Of course she wouldn’t have been named MacKenzie here – there were no prophecies here. The only crescent moon to be born under would’ve been the moon in the sky.
 
“I’ll just get the other children ready for the day, milady,” Cassandra excused herself and left Buffy alone with the child.
 
William came back in a few minutes later. He stopped just inside the door, pushing it closed behind himself, and watched his angel with their daughter. It was another of his favorite things to see: the babe in her arms. Although Cecily had birthed his first three children, she’d never breastfed them. Cecily had hired a wet-nurse for the first few weeks after the children were born; after that they were fed formula from a bottle. He offered the same to his Avengelyne, but she wouldn’t hear of it.
 
“You think I’m gonna let our baby drink breast milk from some stranger? Seriously, William! That’s worse than sharing a toothbrush with some random bag lady on the subway! Forget it!” she’d informed him.
 
He didn’t quite know what that meant, other than there would be no wet-nurse hired. They did use the convenience of formula, however, when out in public, for instance, or if Elizabeth had to be away from the baby at feeding times. He had been surprised that, even with the nursemaid, who would’ve taken care of the late night and early morning feedings with formula, his wife insisted on getting up at all hours and taking care of it herself.
 
He didn’t fully understand his angel’s desire to do that until he’d witnessed it himself one morning – then it suddenly became crystal clear. The bond between mother and child was so evident, so beautiful. From then on he made a point to share some of this time with his two redheads. He felt slightly like he was attending a party without an invitation at first, but his wife welcomed him and seemed pleased to share this special time with him, and that made him feel all the more special himself.

 

Buffy looked up, met his eyes across the room, and gave him a contented smile. He thought she’d never looked more beautiful – of course, he thought that every morning … and every night, for that matter. He walked over to where she sat with the baby and dropped soft kisses on the top of each of their heads.
 
“You are the most amazing creature, Avengelyne,” William murmured against her forehead.
 
“You aren’t so bad yourself, William.”
 
After Wanda had her fill and Cassandra came and took her to be changed and dressed for the day, William helped Buffy dress, basically reversing the procedure from the previous night, but with a much simpler dress this time. He knew that she hated the crinolines and the tight corset, and honestly, he couldn’t blame her. When she asked if they could go for a picnic in the Common for the mid-day meal today, he helped her choose a dress that would be suitable for such an outing and not terribly uncomfortable for sitting on a blanket in the grass.
 
William had nearly finished dressing himself when Theresa, the house maid, knocked lightly on their door to announce breakfast. Downstairs in the dining room, Anne and Bess were waiting impatiently for the adults to arrive. Nellie had made a special treat of pancakes with fresh strawberry topping for breakfast and they were anxious to dig in.
 
Buffy stopped short when she entered the dining room. Anne and Bess were sitting at the table, fidgeting anxiously. They looked nearly the same as they had when she visited them in the past, maybe a little older. Anne was perhaps ten, Bess about four, she guessed. Billy, or William, she reminded herself, who Cassandra was holding in her lap at one end of the table, looked to be easily a year old. The contented baby, Wanda, slept in a cradle not far from the nursemaid.
 
Buffy was knocked from her thoughts, literally, when William bumped into her back, not expecting her to stop in front of him.
 
“Oh, dear. I’m afraid I’m quite the oaf this morning,” he apologized as he caught her shoulders to keep her from stumbling.
 
“No … sorry – it was … my fault,” Buffy assured him slowly, unable to pull her eyes away from Anne, in particular, as he moved past her into the dining room.
 
“Good morning, children,” William greeted the girls. Buffy watched as her husband went over and ruffled his son’s blond curls, then picked the baby up from the cradle and touched a kiss to the redheaded child’s forehead.

 

“Nellie made pancakes!” Bess enthused happily, licking her lips as she waited for her parents to take their seats at the table.
 
“Indeed. And good morning to you, too, Father,” William chided her.
 
“Good morning, Father,” Anne and Bess both chorused together.
 
“And how is our little man, this lovely morning?” he asked the girl that was trying to feed William, Jr. apple purée, but having little luck. She seemed to be bathed in it, as did the boy.
 
“’e’s quite the early riser, Master William,” Cassandra replied in her Cockney accent. “Must say, ‘e doesn’t seem t’ fancy the apples, I’m afraid.”
 
“Well, perhaps the strawberries will be more to his liking,” William commented as he started back towards the other end of the table.
 
Buffy bit her lip as she watched and listened. She felt a weight lift off her shoulders, like every prophecy, every apocalypse, every demon, every evil scheme to tear her family apart had been washed away and replaced with a ‘normal life’. Anne was safe – there was no Key energy hiding within her waiting to open portals and shred her dreams. Would Bess still be Called? Possibly. But with both Buffy and William here now, surely they would be able to protect her from the dangers of that life – the girl wouldn’t be alone. The baby that had become the prophetic ‘MacKenzie’ in 2010 had been named for their Guardian-Angel-In-Training in this time. Wanda, the Vicar’s wife, had given Buffy sage advice, along with proper clothes, and hadn’t judged the crazy girl from America when she'd arrived here.
 
Buffy moved into the room and took the baby from William’s arms, and her husband pulled a chair out for her at the table.
 
“Good morning,” Buffy greeted everyone as she sat down, unable to take her eyes off Anne. Unhurt Anne. Whole Anne. Happy Anne. Healthy Anne.
 
“Good morning, Mother,” Anne and Bess replied to her in unison and Buffy nearly fell over. She’d read it in the dairy, that they had accepted her as their mother, but it still sounded so wonderful coming from their lips.
 
Tears welled in her eyes and she blinked them back quickly as Nellie came in and began to serve the thick pancakes, which were covered in sweet, fresh strawberries. The children had milk to drink, while Nellie served, much to Buffy’s surprised delight, coffee, to her and William.
 
“Miss Nellie,” William began, he’d never been able to change how he addressed the cook. She would always be ‘Miss Nellie’ to him, just as she was when he was a boy. “My dear wife would like to have a picnic this afternoon. Could you possibly put together a basket for us to take to the Common later?”
 
“Certainly, Master William. Be m’ pleasure,” Nellie replied with a smile. Despite all the whispers and many of his old ‘friends’ shunning William after his inappropriate marriage to Miss Elizabeth, Nellie had to approve of the coupling. The firebrand of a girl spoke her mind and took no guff from anyone. She had found a way to bring the man out of the boy. Nellie could tell that her love for William, and for his children, was true, unlike the former mistress of the house, Cecily. She was sure that Mistress Anne would’ve blessed the marriage, despite all the social mores it trampled on.
 
The girls’ eyes went wide. “Can we come too?” Anne asked excitedly.
 
“Of course,” Buffy assured her. “We’re all going – the whole family.”
 
“Oh! Can we stop on the east end of the Common for a pence scoop of iced cream from the hokey-pokey man?” Bess requested. “Please,” she appended quickly at the end.
 
“The hokey-pokey man?” Buffy asked the girl, her brow furrowed. “Does he dance while he sells ice cream?”

 

Bess and Anne laughed, as did William. “No, my dear, it’s their cry, ‘Gelati, ecco un poco!’” he explained. He’d gotten used to explaining things to her – everything was, after all, quite foreign to his now mortal angel.  “Over the years it has simply transformed into ‘hokey-pokey’. The men who sell the iced cream are the hokey-pokey men.”
 
“Oh, that’s too bad. I know Annie … ummm … I mean Anne would really enjoy seeing a hokey-pokey dance. Have you ever done it?” Buffy asked, looking from William to the girls.
 
“I don’t believe we have,” William answered her as the girls shook their heads, their mouths full of pancakes and strawberries.  
 
Buffy’s eyes went wide with surprise and a bit of evil glee. “Remind me later and I’ll teach it to you. You’ll love it! Especially you, William.”
 
“Indeed, I quite look forward to it,” William agreed. She had taught him some of the queerest things over their short time together, but he loved learning everything she wanted to teach him.
 
“What about the iced cream?” Bess repeated her question.
 
“I think we could manage that, don’t you, William?”
 
William smiled at his wife and nodded. “Yes, my dear, I believe I should be able to scrape a pence or two together.”
 
**~**
 

It was a lovely spring Saturday. Bright blue skies presided over the day while a light, warm breeze swirled over the fresh, green grass of the Common. That afternoon the park was full of families just like the Weckerlys. Mothers with their parasols and fathers in their bowlers were surrounded by laughing children running across the soft lawn of the park.
 
William didn’t wear a hat. Ever. Before meeting his love, he hadn’t really harbored any strong feelings about hats one way or the other.  He developed a definite dislike for them when he found that Avengelyne didn’t care for them on him. She’d said they hid his lovely curls from her and therefore were unequivocally evil and perhaps demonic. He’d given all of his hats to the rag man that very day.
 
The family found a lovely spot near one of the lakes in the Common and spread a blanket on the grass for their picnic. Nellie had packed a nice selection of cheeses and hard-cured meats, along with fresh bread, more fresh strawberries, and some biscuits, which Buffy called ‘cookies’, for dessert. William had picked out a lovely bottle of red wine for himself and Buffy to share, and purchased penny bottles of Ginger Ale for the girls from a street vendor.

 

It was a perfect day. The best day Buffy could remember having in what seemed a very long time. The girls laughed and played and fed the ducks in the pond. A boy not far from them had a kite and they watched it dance in the breeze high above the bustle of people gathered in the Common. But, despite the beautiful day and the wonderful company, there was a nagging ache that simply wouldn’t go away inside Buffy’s heart. She knew what it was, for it turned into a stabbing, twisting dagger in her chest as she watched Anne running and playing with Bess. Her laughter ringing through the air, so happy and joyful, should’ve brought a smile to Buffy’s lips, but it only served as a reminder of Annie and what awaited her at home. Sooner or later she would have to wake up and leave this normal, happy life behind.
 
Bess and Anne both insisted she teach them the hokey-pokey dance so they could do it for the hokey-pokey man when they got their iced cream. And so, William’s crazy, fallen angel did so – right there in the Common … and he joined in. If they’re going to think us fit for Bedlam, let none of us be spared, he reasoned.
 
Soon, the quite improper family from Macaulay Road had a large circle of children doing their quite preposterous dance as their mothers looked on with disdain and their fathers regarded them with amusement. William pulled Buffy out of the circle as the children continued ‘putting their right foot in and putting their right foot out and putting their right foot in and shaking all about, doing the hokey-pokey and turning themselves around’. That’s what it’s all about.
 
Her laughter was like a balm for his soul; he could watch and listen to her joyous giggles all day. Buffy leaned back against his chest and he (quite improperly) wrapped his arms around her shoulders as they stood back and watched the group of children doing her crazy dance.
 
“Are you happy, my darling Elizabeth?” he whispered into her ear. She noticed that in public he called her Elizabeth, the name that she’d given when she arrived as the nursemaid from America. In private, she was always his fallen angel, Avengelyne.
 
“Couldn’t be happier, William,” she replied, softly laying a hand on his cheek.
 
But even as Buffy said it, her eyes were drawn to Anne as she danced and laughed and sang the song they thought Buffy had invented. The Slayer clenched her jaw and blinked back her tears again. This had been a lovely dream, a wonderful distraction from the reality of life, but she realized that’s all it was – a dream, and it would soon be over.
 
“Are you quite certain?” William questioned as he turned her in his arms to look at her face.

 

Buffy gave him a smile and wiped at her eyes. “Yes, William. They’re happy tears,” she lied as she leaned in and dropped an extremely improper kiss on his irresistible lips.
 
**~**
 
When it was time to go back home, Buffy begged off the trip to the hokey-pokey man. She told William she needed to run a quick errand and would meet them back at the house, if that was alright. The girls were disappointed, as was William; they all loved spending time with Elizabeth, but he raised no serious objection. Buffy took Wanda and William in the pram, along with the now empty picnic basket, and started off towards the north while the other three headed to the east.

 

Buffy pushed open the heavy door of the Holy Trinity Church and pulled the pram inside. There was a rather large man up near the front of the large congregation hall. He seemed to be checking all the pews for something … hymn books, perhaps. He looked up at the sound of the door closing.
 
“Hi,” Buffy greeted him when she got closer. “I’m…”
 
“What a pleasant surprise, Elizabeth,” the man enthused with a smile, cutting her off. “We missed you last Sunday,” he chastised lightly.
 
“Oh … uhhh … the baby was sick,” Buffy explained, thinking fast. “Is Wanda here?”
 
“Indeed, I believe she’s in the kitchen, my dear,” the man offered, waving an arm at a side door. “I’m sure she’d love to see you and her namesake.”
 
Buffy looked at him more closely and realized this was the Vicar. This was John. The man who, in real life, had uprooted his family, left his parish and moved to America to make sure the three children William had left in his care would be safe from whatever had killed their mother and forced their father to give them up. He was a large man, tall and thick, she might even call him ‘burly’, but with kind, brown eyes and a sincere look of caring and compassion.
 
Buffy nodded her thanks and began pushing the pram towards the door he'd indicated. Inside, she found Wanda sitting at the table chopping vegetables – it seemed she was always cooking something when Buffy came here. Her guardian angel looked up from her work and smiled at Buffy when she came in. Buffy sat the picnic basket down on the floor, leaving the toddler and infant in the baby buggy near the door, and walked over to where Wanda was working.
 
“Hello, child,” Wanda began. “We missed you on Sunday.”
 
Buffy blushed a bit but resisted rolling her eyes. “Sorry about that … the baby was sick,” Buffy explained again.
 
“Yes, William told us, dear,” Wanda assured her with an easy smile as she wiped her hands on her apron and turned to face Buffy. “Is she better now?”
 
“Yes … she’s fine. Just a touch of the croup I think,” Buffy repeated what Cassandra had told her.
 
“Oh, that’s quite a relief,” Wanda acknowledged as she looked at Buffy expectantly.
 
Buffy shifted uncomfortably and gave the woman a nervous smile. “Anyway … I … need some help … and I thought … you were so good with the helping before.”
 
“Certainly, child. I’m always happy to help. Is it a problem with the children?” the Vicar’s wife wondered.
 
Buffy took a deep breath. She’d really be hoping Wanda the Guardian Angel would be here, that she could sneak into her dream and Buffy could get some real help from a real angel. “Yes, sort of – it’s Annie … and, well, honestly, Spike too and … me and …” she stammered, but the confused look on the woman’s face told her that Wanda the Guardian Angel wasn’t in the house. This was human Wanda, angel-in-training.
 
Buffy sighed and plopped down heavily on a bench that ran next to a long table in the center of the large kitchen, her petticoats rustling an objection to her un-ladylike movements.
 
Wanda sat next to her and laid a hand over Buffy’s. “Perhaps you could start from the beginning, child.”
 
Buffy snorted an un-ladylike, sarcastic laugh and rubbed her eyes with her free hand. She took another deep breath and looked up at the woman who had helped her and her family so much over the years. Suddenly, it felt like a dam broke within Buffy and she just started rambling, her words coming out fast and with little thought.  
 
“I just … I tried and I couldn’t keep them safe. I’m supposed to be her mother and his wife and the Slayer and … I just … I should be able to keep them safe! It’s … it’s my Calling, ya know? It’s what I do! Why can’t I just keep my promises? I try soooo hard and I just keep failing everyone!
 
“Spike’s in so much pain and all alone and he’s losing his marbles … which – hey! Welcome to the club, right? And Annie … Oh, God … as horrible as I feel, I can’t imagine what she’s going through! I promised her we’d get home and everything would be alright, and it’s not! It is soooo not!
 
“They all died trying to get us home, to make sure we were safe – all of them! Spike jumped into that damn bug pit – he’s such a fu… a … a big dope sometimes! I know why he did it. He didn’t want me to be watching over my shoulder, worrying that he’d come through and kill Spike and … I promised him I’d fix it and there’s just one more promise that’s dust in the wind.
 
“Oh, God, I know this sounds crazy,” Buffy moaned, rubbing her forehead with her hand as if trying to get the crazy to go away.
 
Wanda waited and listened patiently as Elizabeth ranted on. The girl was clearly upset and frustrated and frankly, making very little sense. Yes, it did sound a bit crazy, but then, she was from America, after all.
 
When Buffy stopped talking, Wanda pulled what she could comprehend from the rant and offered her advice. “Promises are difficult, my dear. We often make them hoping that they can be kept, but with no actual ability to do so.”
 
“Spi … William always keeps his promises,” Buffy admitted solemnly, looking down at the well-worn wood of the table.
 
“I doubt that’s true, Elizabeth. If it is, then it tells me he’s learned to not scatter them about carelessly like stars in the sky,” Wanda assured her.

 

Buffy nodded and tears stung her eyes. “I guess … but I need to find a way to keep these promises, Wanda. I just have to.”
 
“My dear, Elizabeth, I think what you should do is look at each one and decide if it is a star – tossed out with a wish, but too far from your grasp to reach or if it is a seed for a delicate flower, and, if nurtured and tended with care and diligence, it can grow strong and bloom in your hand so that you may rejoice in its sweet fragrance.”
 


Buffy chewed on that advice for some time in silence, studying her hands intently as if willing a flower to grow in her palm.
 
When she promised Annie it would be alright, she truly believed the doctors and medicine in their own dimension would make it so. But the promise wasn’t hers to make; Buffy had no control over the outcome. She and the others had gotten Annie home, but past that, everything else had been out of her control. This promise she put in the ‘wish and a star’ category.
 
She promised Spike they would find him and get him back. This, too, seemed out of her control. Although she would do anything to make it so, hire a hundred whaling ships, spend every dollar they had and then some to make it happen, she personally had no way to fight the creature under the ocean. She hoped that Bess’ plan would work, but Buffy had no way to actually make it happen herself. This wasn’t as far out of reach as the promise she’d made Annie, but it wasn’t really in her control, either. This could be in the ‘make it grow with hard work’ category … as long as no devil-bunnies came along in the night and ate her seedlings.
 
She promised the Spike in the other dimension that she would fix things there for him. She’d even had a bit of a plan for that before all hell broke loose and she had to shift priorities to simply making sure she and Annie survived. Could she actually still keep that promise?
 
What if she went back in time, back to the fight with Glory, and fixed things for that dimension? Could she jump dimensions and go back in time as well? Did Willow have the knowledge and power to do that or would she have to go back through the portal and trust Rack? Or take Willow back with her, use Rack’s power and the power of the scythe and …
 
My God, that could work! And, if she planned it carefully enough, it had the possibility of fixing everything that happened after that, not just for Spike and her friends in that dimension, but for her family here, as well. No portal opening, no bats, no Reds, no demon octopus! She could go back and purposely step on a butterfly and change everything.
 
Buffy’s eyes widened with hope for the first time in a long time as she finally looked up and met Wanda’s gaze.
 
“Did anyone ever tell you that you’re an angel?” Buffy asked as she leaned in and gave Wanda a hug.
 
Wanda laughed and returned the hug, still not the least bit sure what Elizabeth had been talking about. “I dare say that I am not even close, my dear.”
 
“Well, you are to me,” Buffy insisted as she pulled back and stood up. “Thank you – you always know just what to say to help me see the answers I need.”
 
Wanda shrugged. “It is within you all the time, Elizabeth. You need only open the window and peer into your heart of hearts. The heart always knows …”
 
“…what the mind cannot fathom,” Buffy finished Wanda’s now familiar saying.
 
Buffy laughed softly and shook her head. “Sometimes I think my windows have been painted shut and boarded over.”
 
**~**
 
After Wanda swooned over her namesake a few minutes and commented on how fast both she and William, Jr. were growing, Buffy said her goodbyes and headed back the way she’d come in.
 
Back in the main congregation hall, Buffy was surprised to find her husband speaking with the Vicar. The girls were sitting in a pew waiting silently, if a bit impatiently, for the men to finish talking.
 
“Ahhh … there’s your lovely wife now, William,” John offered when he heard the door to the kitchen open and saw Buffy emerge with the pram and the picnic basket.
 
William said his farewells to John and started towards his wife. The Weatherfords had always been kind to him and his family. Even with all the impropriety that surrounded his marriage to Elizabeth and the birth of their first child a tad too soon afterwards, John and Wanda had never judged them. When William stopped attending services, they came and visited him and his new wife and encouraged them to come back to the church. Despite the fact that he had been unable to wed his lovely Avengelyne in God’s grace, due to the taboo of re-marrying so soon after his wife’s death and marrying beneath his social class, they were still welcome here.  
 
He met his wife halfway across the large hall. As he reached out to take the picnic basket from her hand he asked, “Did you have a nice chat with Mrs. Weatherford, my dear?”
 
“Yes. She’s an angel,” Buffy replied as she stopped in the middle of the large church and sat the picnic basket down on one of the pews instead of handing it to him.
 
“William, I need you to listen to me now,” Buffy began in a serious tone, moving up in front of him and holding his face in her hands, making him focus on her completely.
 
“Certainly, dear. What is it? Is something amiss?”
 
“Spike … I swear I’ll get you out, I’ll get you home,” Buffy asserted, her eyes locked with his, their faces only inches apart. “One way or another, I’ll get you back.”
 
William tilted his head to the side and furrowed his brow as he studied her carefully.
 
“Buffy?” he questioned – the face was William, but the voice was all Spike. It was a bit disconcerting, to be honest.

“Yeah, Spike, it’s me, baby. Don’t give up, ok? I’m not giving up, I will get you out,” Buffy vowed to him.
 
William nodded slightly, then closed his eyes and blew out a shuddering breath.

 

When he opened his misty eyes again and met her gaze, the fear and pain in his blue eyes made Buffy’s heart ache.
 
“Do ya promise?” he asked in a frightened whisper, searching her eyes with his, as if trying to see into her soul.
 
“I do. I promise.”
 
 

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Promises, Promises by Naked Eyes on You ube  }}


Never had a doubt
In the beginning
Never a doubt
Trusted too true
In the beginning
I loved you right through
Arm in arm we laughed like kids
At all the silly things we did

You made me promises, promises
Knowing I'd believe
Promises, promises
You knew you'd never keep

Second time around
I'm still believing
Words that you said
You said you'd always be here
In love forever
Still repeats in my head
You can't finish what you start
If this is love it breaks my heart

You made me promises, promises
You knew you'd never keep
Promises, promises
Why do I believe

[Instrumental Interlude]

Arm in arm we laughed like kids
At all the silly things we did
You can't finish what you start
If this is love it breaks my heart

You made me promises, promises
You knew you'd never keep
Promises, promises
Why do I believe
All of your promises
You knew you'd never keep
Promises, promises
Why do I believe

Promises
Promises
Promises
Promises
Promises

End Notes:
TBC .... Buffy will wake up next and share her new plan to fix everything with her friends. What could possibly go wrong to thwart her efforts to fix everything? For those of you who were wondering - yes, that really was just a dream, not a spell or transport to another dimension. It was a shared, bond dream with Spike.
One Fine Wire by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Buffy has a plan to fix everything, but will she get a chance to carry it out? She's been walking a fine wire. How will she cope when the dark stranger that followed her from the Gift-less dimension finds a way to take advantage of her her tenuous mental state?
**
Angst is back, but not as bad as the chapters 'Why' and 'Fear' IMO.
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Later that same day. Saturday, April 30th, 2011, mid-afternoon:


 

Buffy woke from her dream with a renewed sense of purpose, although there was also a feeling of loss that scampered around the corners of her heart. The dream had felt so real that a part of her didn’t want to leave it. She knew she didn’t come up with all that on her own; Spike was there too. They were both trying so badly to escape what was going on that they’d invented a whole new life, a normal life, a simpler life in a ‘what might’ve been’ world of the past.
 
At times, like when they watched movies like ‘The Matrix’ or ‘Vanilla Sky’, she wondered if something like that could actually happen. What was really real: what she thought was a dream or what she thought was life? And what if the whole thing was a dream? What if she woke up one day to find she was actually a CPA in a big firm full of suits, doing a boring job in what passed as a normal life? What if she was just another bean-counter in nice clothes who had never been in a fight or seen a demon in her whole life? Her dreams often seemed so tangible that it wasn’t a huge leap for her to imagine the lines of reality blurring in her mind.
 
And then there was ‘1984’ – the novel by George Orwell that she’d had to read and give a book report on in high school. How did it go? Something along the lines of: there’s no proof of anything; nothing exists other than what’s in our own mind. There’s no knowledge of anything happening at all apart from what we perceive and process through the filter of our own biases and beliefs. Whatever happens in our mind actually happens – there’s no proof to the contrary. There’s no actual proof that the world even exists – only that our mind believes it, makes it so. She thought at the time that could explain why it was so easy for the residents of Sunnydale, and the world as a whole, to deny the existence of demons and magic. What worried her was: was it the rest of the world that was wrong, or was it her and her small group of friends and family, that were the lunatics?
 
Buffy tried not to think about that too much. Frankly, it made her head hurt. It was almost as bad as ‘who would win in a fight, an astronaut or a caveman?’ or ‘which came first, the chicken or the egg?’ or ‘why is the sky blue?’
 
“Ok … plan – I need a solid time-travel plan,” she admonished herself as she pushed her inner, philosophical debate back into one of the darkest corners of her mind where she preferred it remain hidden. She rose slowly up off the floor where she’d collapsed that morning, and started pulling on some clothes. Before going downstairs, she paused another moment and pulled Spike’s pillow to her face. His scent was fading from it, even though she hadn’t washed it since he’d been gone.
 
Tears stung her eyes as she inhaled deeper and then slowly let the breath out. Buffy finally set his pillow back in his place on their bed. She did so gently, as if it were made of fine china and would break with the slightest pressure. “I promise, Spike,” she whispered to the empty room before heading out.
 
Tara was downstairs at the research table where it seemed she lived now. She was on the speakerphone with Willow again, talking about spells, dimensional transmogrification algorithms, transporting inter-dimensionally without the use of a portal, and what effect any of that might have had on the sea monster’s susceptibility to magic. Tara looked up as Buffy descended the stairs and was glad to see the Slayer did look a little more rested than she had when she’d gotten home from the hospital that morning.
 
“Buffy’s here,” Tara announced to Willow at a break in the conversation.
 
“Hi, Buffy!” Willow’s voice crackled through the speakerphone.
 
“Hey, Wills ... how’s it going? Any headway on anything?” Buffy asked both of them.
 
“Not on the magic immunity yet, but…” Willow began. “We’re ready to go on the Casper plan. We should make contact with the octopus tomorrow around mid-day. Assuming it will follow my lure into the cave on Santa Cruz Island, we could have Spike back by as soon as Monday morning.”
 
“Oh, Wills!” Buffy enthused. “That’s great!” she exclaimed, feeling a small bud of hope form in her palm for the fruition of that promise.

 

“As soon as that’s done, I have another … mission,” Buffy continued. “I have a plan to fix Annie.”
 
Tara and Willow both drew in a sharp breath. “Buffy … you can’t … that’s not something that…” Tara began. “Magic has consequences.”
 
“Yeah, well, if you hadn't noticed, life has consequences,” Buffy pointed out. “I’m going back in time to stomp on a butterfly and kill a hell-god in the other dimension … and you witches are gonna get me there.”
 
“Buffy,” Willow began slowly over the phone. “That’s some pretty heavy stuff. I’m not sure we know how.”
 
“Then you need to figure it out. Soon. If Rack can do it, then you can do it,” Buffy encouraged them. When Tara looked less than pleased and Willow didn’t say anything, Buffy changed tactics. “You will do it. This isn’t a discussion; it’s not a request. It’s what’s gonna happen. Period.”
 
“Buffy? That’s a little harsh! What’s wrong with you?” Willow asked, offended by the Slayer’s dictator-like attitude.
 
“The list of what’s wrong with me is longer than my arm,” Buffy retorted. “We can start with: I don’t like my family and friends being hurt, and, if there’s a way to fix it, I will.”
 
“But, Buffy,” Tara interrupted her. “You can’t just use magic like that. There’s a natural order to things; you can’t just go messing with that and not expect things to…”
 
“Annie was attacked by a demon – it wasn't a car accident, for God's sake,” Buffy interrupted her. “Don’t start with me about what magic can and can't do. Whatever the consequences are, I’ll deal with, but I’m doing this,” Buffy informed them in no uncertain terms. “If you won’t help me, I’ll find someone who will.

 

“And, while we’re on the subject of helping,” Buffy continued tersely. “If you guys think I need help, then help me by getting Spike back. Don’t sneak around behind my back slipping Mickeys in my cocoa! I don’t like being drugged. Don’t do it again.”
 
“What? I didn’t …” Willow argued from the speakerphone.
 
“Wills, I know Tara physically did it, but you can’t say she didn’t talk to you about it first … I know better,” Buffy cut off Willow’s objection before the witch could even finish. “Don’t do it again,” Buffy growled into the phone.
 
“Yeah, sure Buffy … We’re sorry, we were just worried about you. Tara said you were … not sleeping,” Willow explained sheepishly.
 
Buffy looked at Tara, who remained silent; her eyes looked guilty, but she didn’t look away from Buffy’s hard gaze. “Yeah, well, did it ever occur to you that there might be a reason I’m not sleeping? Like maybe things in my sleep are trying to … trick me ... maybe hurt me? I might’ve woken up dead this morning.”
 
“Pretty sure if you were dead you wouldn’t have woken up … Oh, so not the point.” Willow cringed. “What’s trying to get you in your dreams? Is there anything we can…”
 
“No. I’ll handle it, but please don’t do that again, ok?” Buffy cut her off.
 
“Sure, Buffy. We just thought…” Willow began.
 
“From now on, you guys just start thinking about getting Spike back and sending me back in time. I’m going to keep my promise to Annie and Spike and … the other Spike.”
 
**~**
 
Warren leaned back in his chair, tossing a Koosh ball back and forth in his hands as he shook his head. The bank of monitors in front of him had all the Slayer’s haunts covered, but it was the one on the bookcase in her great room that he was concentrating on now.

 

After he’d gotten to this dimension, he tried to look up some old friends – only it seemed they were all dead. Then he looked himself up, and found he was in jail doing life without parole for killing his ditzoid, clingy girlfriend. Seriously? Like she didn’t have that coming?
 
Having failed to find his old friends, he looked up some new friends. Funny how having boatloads of cash in your pockets can buy you all kinds of new friends. After some heart-to-heart chats with some capitalist, dimension-hopping demons later, he had some insight into not only what happened to him in this dimension, but also what happened to him in several other dimensions, as well. None of them were good. And almost every time the badness stemmed directly from one person: the Slayer. Buffy Summers and her band of misfits always seemed to be sticking their noses into his business.
 
And now she was going to butt her pug nose into his life again. If she went back and changed what happened in the other dimension, there’s no telling what would become of him. Flayed alive was his favorite of all the possible outcomes he’d been privy to … gotta love a good flaying. The way things stood now, he had it made in the shade. He had plenty of cash, which had been rendered worthless in the other dimension, but opened every door for him here. All that money had just been sitting there in the banks ‘back home’ waiting to be picked up. That had been sweet.

When he got here, he had needed a lair, so he’d taken over the abandoned Initiative headquarters under the UC Sunnydale campus. He knew the layout of the place, he knew how everything worked there. He’d tapped into the university’s electric grid, into their Ethernet … hell, he even had 528 channels of cable TV, including ten porn channels and SyFy – all free and all completely 'off the grid'. No one could track him down here – this place did not exist.
 
With this setup, he could get a new crew together with no problem and take over the whole world. He could be like Charlie and have some beautiful, semi-naked ‘Angels’ working for him. Hell, he could have completely naked ‘Angels’ working for him! No more dealing with geeks and losers – no way. Naked, hot, evil girls with big guns: that was the way to go. Who didn’t love naked, hot, evil girls with big guns?

 

Warren sat forward in his chair as his delusions of grandeur whirled in his mind. Images of beautiful women in skimpy outfits fawning over him, following his every command, bringing him bags of cash and jewels and Star Wars action-figures, danced in his head. He actually had to lick a bit of drool from the corner of his mouth as he thought of the possibilities.
 
A sly smile came to his lips. He dropped the Koosh ball and picked up one of the keycards, along with Andrew’s summoning flute, off the console in front of him. He’d learned quite a bit during the long years he spent with that loser Andrew, and summoning demons was like second nature to Warren now. That was about the only thing whiney, pitiful, pathetic Andrew had really been good for.
 
Warren headed out of the freshly christened ‘World Domination Command Center’ and walked through the cavernous, empty area of the underground facility to the sewer entrance. Handy of Buffy to have a sewer entrance in her basement; well it’s handy if you’re an evil genius wanting to leave her a little surprise down there.
 
Warren opened the door to the sewers with the keycard and headed out. If he hurried, he could get there before her daily afternoon laundry trip and have his welcoming committee ready and waiting for her.
 
**~**
 
(Later that Afternoon) Saturday, April 30th, 2011, 5pm:
 
Buffy was late … everything was late. She’d slept late ‘cos of Tara’s meddling potion and everything else just seemed to get behinder and behinder as the day went on. She needed to get to the hospital and see Annie. The other kids were all over at Anya and Xander’s house – the Harris’ had offered to give Tara a break from the babysitting duties. They’d bring them to the hospital later and then Tara could pick them up from there and bring them back home.
 
Buffy still needed to get a shower and get dressed. There were dirty dishes in the sink and the carpets looked like they hadn’t been vacuumed in a week of Sundays; dust bunnies hopped around on the shelves in the research area and seemed to be making baby bunnies by the dozens. And then there was the laundry. Buffy thought about blowing it off, like she was blowing off the vacuuming and dusting and dishes. But, with four kids and a baby in the house, if she left it for tomorrow, it would just be that much worse and take that much longer to get done. She’d just run down really quick and put a load in. That would save some time, anyway, and maybe keep Buffy from falling even further behind. Buffy could run home later and toss those in the dryer and put in another load. Buffy knew Tara would do the laundry for her, after all, she’d done it before – just as Buffy knew she’d done the dishes and vacuuming before. But, at the moment, the Slayer was still pissed about the whole spiked cocoa thing and didn’t feel like asking the witch to do anything like that – in fact, she didn’t feel like talking to her at all just then. Buffy realized it was much like cutting off her nose to spite her face, but sometimes spite was worth a nose-less face.
 
Buffy had just put the fabric softener in the little dispenser and dropped it into the washer when she heard a noise behind her. She turned around barely in the nick of time to block a punch from a demon in definite need of a dental plan. The demon was humanoid; taller and larger than Buffy by a good bit. Its skin had a bluish pallor and it was hairless – at least on its head, face, and arms – the only parts of it she could see. Its eyes were set deep and surrounded by red bags, which made her own eyes, and the dark circles that surrounded them, look fresh and well-rested in comparison. Its long teeth were yellowed and jagged – it definitely did not floss … or even brush, for that matter. He looked vaguely familiar to her, but she didn’t have time to really focus on identifying where she may have seen this demon before.

 

Her block caught the demon off-guard and it stumbled backwards when she hit it with her own powerful blow to its midsection. It didn’t knock the monster down or out, however, and it started back towards her after quickly catching its balance.
 
"I seriously don’t have time for this!” Buffy informed the intruder as she landed a round-house kick to its abdomen, then followed it quickly with a solid punch to its face, catching it on the right temple.
 
The demon’s head snapped to the side and it snarled and growled at her as it regrouped. It only took a second for it to recover, then it took a swipe at her face with its long, claw-like nails. Buffy leaned back to avoid being cut, but snapped back up quickly and delivered another blow. Her clenched fist landed directly in the thing’s dental-hygiene-challenged mouth. When she pulled back, she noticed that her knuckles were bleeding; she’d cut them on its sharp teeth. Apparently, they weren’t as rotten as they looked; none fell out.
 
That blow did seem to stun it at least momentarily. Buffy quickly looked around for a weapon, but of course, there were no weapons down here where the kids played their video games. She saw the pile of her garden equipment in the corner and headed for it; a shovel would work perfectly well as a weapon. Before Buffy could reach the garden implement cache, the demon charged and caught her from behind. She jabbed backwards with her elbow, landing a vicious jab against its mid-section, and stomped her booted foot down on its instep. The demon growled in pain but didn’t release its grip on her. Instead, it countered by suddenly extruding a sharp skewer from the knuckle of his middle finger and jabbed it at her. Buffy tried to block the blow. She kept the demon from stabbing his new, shiny appendage into her neck, but didn’t deflect it completely. The sharp, pencil sized, demonic hypodermic cut deeply into the flesh of her forearm.

 

Buffy immediately screamed out in pain and clutched at her arm. It hurt worse than a simple stab in the arm should’ve and she dropped to her knees in agony, cradling her arm against her chest.
 
“Oh my heavens, Elizabeth!” William exclaimed in alarm, kneeling beside his wife where she’d fallen. “Are you quite alright?”
 
“I … uhhh … William?” Buffy stammered, looking up from her bleeding and painful arm to his concerned face. “What happened?”
 
“I believe your feet became entangled in your crinoline, my dear. They really aren’t designed for leaping over mud puddles,” William answered her question as he examined her for injuries.
 
“Oh, my word! Your arm! Can you stand? Can you walk?” William rattled questions off quickly as Buffy held her right hand over her left forearm to try and stem the bleeding. Shards of broken, brown glass littered the footpath where Buffy was splayed. The largest piece was covered in blood – her blood, from where it had stabbed into her arm when she'd fallen.

 

Buffy looked back down at her injury, blood dripped through her fingers and pooled on the footpath below. “William?” she questioned again, looking around to get her bearings. It was very clearly not the basement and certainly not 2011. Had she passed out?
 
“Yes, I’m here, my love. Let me help you to your feet. Do be mindful of the glass,” he advised her as he stood back up and literally picked her up from the sidewalk and set her on her feet in front of him. “I cannot imagine who could have been so careless as to leave such a hazard right here on a public walkway. It’s simply unconscionable!
 
“We should get home immediately and call Dr. Gull,” William insisted. “I’m dreadfully sorry about the night out. I know you were so looking forward to it.”
 
“No, William … it’s … I’m fine,” Buffy insisted even as she swooned and swayed against him, her eyes fluttering closed.
 
“I rather think not, my dear,” William argued as he caught her around the waist to keep her from collapsing.
 
 **~**

Tara came running from the research library when she heard a crash in the basement. When the witch got halfway down the stairs, she could see a demon standing over Buffy. The Slayer was crumpled on the floor and seemed disoriented, as if she’d taken a hard blow to the head. The demon lifted Buffy up by her shoulders and drew back the dagger on its fist, preparing to deliver the killing dose of poison to her heart. As Tara watched, Buffy seemed to regain her bearings and realize where she was. The Slayer swung a fist at the demon’s face, rocking its head to the side violently.
 
At nearly the same time the Slayer hit her attacker, Tara commanded, “Eradicae!”  The demon was thrown back away from Buffy with the magical force. When the demon released her, the Slayer once again crumpled to the floor in a heap.
 
**~**
 
William cursed and grabbed for his jaw, which he was quite certain his wife had just broken with a right hook. When he released his hold on her, she once again collapsed to the ground, barely missing being cut by more of the shards of glass on the footpath at their feet.
 
By now, the couple, and their obvious distress, had drawn a crowd, but William barely noticed as he dropped back down onto his knees next to his wife. Her arm was bleeding profusely and he clamped a hand over it to try and get it to stop. His whole face seemed to be swelling and throbbing. A shooting pain stabbed behind his eyes, reaching all the way through his brain, down his neck and spine, and even weakened his knees.
 
“Looks t’ me like you could use a bit of a hand,” a deep Irish brogue rained down on William.
 
“No … no thank you, I assure you I’m … I’m perfectly capable,” William stammered as he tried to stand, but wavered as his head spun with the searing pain that radiated from his jaw.
 
“Are ye now? Well, I’ll just help the lady then,” the large, dark-haired man offered with a congenial smile.
 
“No … I assure you…” William began again, but before he could offer any further objection, the man had picked Buffy up, tucked her bleeding arm between their bodies to help stop the flow, and was looking at William expectantly.
 
“Where might ye live, then? Should no doubt get your lovely lass to a doctor before more blood is spilled. I offer me services – I am your humble servant,” the larger man continued, bowing slightly at the waist.
 
William was uncomfortable taking help from a stranger, but his head was still spinning and the ground seemed to be tilting slightly. In all honesty, he wasn’t at all certain he could carry his wife home, although it was only a few blocks. Finally he acquiesced, unsure what else to do. “You’re quite gracious.”
 
“It’s often been said,” the man holding his wife agreed with a serious nod.
 
“Right then … just this way,” William began as he started for home, walking as quickly as he could on the wavering ground, which seemed to sway under his feet. The man carrying Elizabeth followed behind him, right on William’s heels.
 
Back on Macaulay Road, William opened the front garden gate and let the man precede him up the footpath towards the front door. Elizabeth hadn’t regained consciousness at all and she was looking quite pale.
 
William hurried past the man and opened the front door for him, then stepped aside to let him pass.
 
The man hesitated on the front step and looked at William. “A gentleman doesn’t enter a stranger’s home without a proper invitation. May I have leave to enter?” he asked in his thick broque.
 
William thought it a little odd, but then, the man was Irish, after all. “Yes, yes, of course! Please do come in!”
 
In short order, the house staff was gathered in the front parlour. The man set Elizabeth down on the settee and backed up to allow Nellie and Theresa to tend to her wound while Cassandra lit out for Dr. Gull’s.
 
“You have been quite gracious and kind,” William thanked the man as he walked him back towards the door. “Oh, where are my manners? Allow me to introduce myself, I am William, William Weckerly,” he offered, extending his bloody right hand to the Irishman.
 
“Liam,” the larger man offered, shaking William’s hand without hesitation.

 

“Thank you again for your assistance. You were very kind … Oh, I dare say I’m in such a state that I seem to be repeating myself now,” William began, tugging nervously at his curls. He suddenly noticed the blood on Liam’s clothing. “Oh my heavens, your waistcoat. It seems to be bathed in blood! Please allow me to have it laundered.”
 
Liam held up his hands, declining the offer. “Don’t concern yourself, Willie. 'Tis just a trifle. Certainly nothing more than a minor annoyance, and well worth the price. After all, helping our fellow man in his hour of need is what’s really important in this world. It’s the Lord’s calling for us all, wouldn’t you agree?”
 
“I … yes, yes, that’s quite true…but I feel I should…”
 
“You should tend to your lass. Keep her safe while ye can. You never know when another catastrophe might befall such a lovely maiden,” Liam advised with a pleasant smile which didn’t quite reach his dark eyes. Liam spun on his heel and headed for the door. It seemed to William that he moved more quickly than humanly possible, but perhaps it was just the aching in his head that made it seem that way.
 
William frowned as he watched the man shut the door behind him. What a queer thing to say. Irishmen!
 
The door had no sooner closed and William turned to see about his wife than it crashed open again. William jumped as it slammed back against the wall loudly and for a moment his heart caught in his throat as he spun back around.
 
Cassandra rushed in, breathless and flushed. “Dr. Gull’s out t’ the Martin’s.  Mrs. Martin is ‘avin’ a bad go of it what wif the basin ‘o gravy bein’ early and all,” the nursery maid gasped out. “The missus don’t know when he’d be back, but will send ‘im right round, no matter the 'our.”
 
William nodded, silently deciphering her Cockney to mean that Mrs. Martin was having a baby, not that she was serving the gravy early. “Thank you, Cassandra. You may return to your duties. You should expect to feed Wanda formula for this evening’s meal.”

“Yes, Master William. I’ll tend to the little one; nothing to fret about. I’ll just run up the apples an’ check on ‘er, then,” the blonde girl assured him as she headed back upstairs to the nursery.


 
“Miss Nellie … what needs to be done?” William asked as he reached the settee where his wife was laying prone, unconscious, and covered in blood.
 
“May I be of some service?” he asked anxiously as he watched the elderly cook carefully cleaning the deep wound in his wife’s arm with warm water. It was still bleeding, but not as badly as it had been on the street. It still looked quite bad, though, and William’s stomach lurched slightly at the sight.
 
“Went nearly to the bone,” Nellie informed him. “Perhaps Dr. Gladstone could come ‘round rather than waiting on the good Dr. Gull,” she suggested.
 
William nodded. “Yes … perhaps Theresa could fetch him,” he agreed worriedly, looking up from Nellie to the house maid, who nodded and headed for the door. Dr. Gladstone was young; he had just begun his practice. Hopefully he would be available and not off on a call.
 
**~**
 

“Buffy!” Tara exclaimed as she dashed the rest of the way down the stairs. The demon crashed against the door that led to the sewers and it slammed open. He momentarily considered his options, but chose fleeing into the sewers over fighting any further with the witch and Slayer.
 
Tara dropped down next to Buffy and checked her wounds. There was a puncture in her forearm and the flesh around it was turning dark purple with bruising. The Slayer also had a black eye and blood trickled from various cuts and abrasions on her face. “Buffy, are you alright?” Tara asked as she helped Buffy sit up with her back against the washing machine.
 
**~**
 
Buffy blinked once, twice … then her eyes fluttered open for a couple of seconds before dropping closed again. “Tara?”
 
“No, darling, it’s me,” her husband assured her, taking her good hand in his.
 
“What … what’s going on?” she asked groggily.
 
“You fell and lacerated your arm, my love. I’m afraid you’ve lost a good amount of blood. But you’re safe now. You’re home and Theresa’s gone to fetch the doctor.”
 
“Home…” his wife muttered, her voice slurred almost like she’d had too much to drink. She never could quite get her eyes to stay open long enough to focus.
 
“Yes, Elizabeth, you’re home,” he repeated.
 
**~**
 
“Buffy?” Tara questioned, getting a little cool water on her fingers from the laundry sink and touching it to the Slayer’s face.

 

Buffy moaned and reached for her head. It was spinning and aching and … so confused.
 
“William?” Buffy asked as she forced her eyes open with sheer willpower alone.
 
“No, Buffy – it’s Tara,” the white witch told her softly. “Can you stand?”
 
Buffy took a deep breath and her head stopped spinning quite so erratically. She nodded, and Tara stood up and helped Buffy to her feet.
 
“What was that thing?” Tara asked as she helped Buffy walk back to the stairs.
 
Buffy shook her head. “The ‘Lack of Dental Insurance’ demon, I guess.”
 
**~**

 

Giles rose from his seat near Annie’s bedside when Buffy came in. She looked even more exhausted than her norm of late, and now also rather beaten up.
 
“Buffy! Are you quite alright?” he asked with concern, moving towards her.
 
“Yeah – you know me, just can’t resist a good mid-day brawl,” Buffy dismissed it, giving him a wan smile.
 
Giles grabbed her arm to stop her from walking further into the room and Buffy winced in pain.
 
“Oh! I’m dreadfully sorry,” he apologized, releasing her. “May I have a word … outside?”
 
Buffy looked at Annie, who was pretending to watch the TV. She sighed as she turned around and headed back into the hall.
 
“What’s up?”
 
“I’m afraid Annie had some visitors today – some classmates from school,” Giles explained.
 
“And … I’m guessing it didn’t go well.”
 
Giles removed his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose for a moment before replacing them and giving Buffy a sympathetic look. “No, I’m afraid not. It was … quite … uncomfortable. She’s been terribly sullen ever since,” Giles rolled his eyes. “More so than normal.”

 

Buffy nodded and blew out a breath. “Thanks, Giles. You can take a break. I’ll hang here.”
 
“Are you certain? You look a bit … off.”
 
Buffy snorted a laugh. Nothing a good hallucination won’t fix. “I’m fine, really. A little Slayer healing and I’ll be fit as a fiddle,” she assured him. “What does that mean, anyway? ‘Fit as a fiddle’? Are fiddles really into yoga or something? Oh! Maybe they do Jazzercise or Pilates! Just what is it that keeps them so fit? Inquiring minds want to know.”
 
Giles gave her his patented look of tolerance, like a father might give a child who kept asking ‘Why?’ fifty times in a row, and shook his head. “I’m not entirely certain, really.”
 
“Huh! Mark one down for Buffy in the ‘Stump the Giles’ game. That gives me three and you … ten million.”
 
“Well, I’m glad I’m ahead in something, although I rather think you’re still up on me with the life-saving and apocalypse-averting scorecard,” Giles admitted.
 
“Are you quite sure you’re alright?” he asked again.
 
“Just think of me as a fiddle … I’m a fiddle-thon,” Buffy assured him with a smile as she started into Annie’s room.
 
“Hey, sweetie,” Buffy called to Annie as she came in, trying to sound bright and ‘fiddle-y’. “Gotcha a Double Fudge Cookie Dough Blizzard today.”
 
Annie looked at her with sad, puffy eyes. “Thanks,” she replied morosely, not making any attempt to take the treat from Buffy’s hand.
 
Buffy sighed and set the milkshake down. “So, I hear you had some visitors today. Who all came by?”
 
Annie sighed heavily and looked back at the TV. “Just some kids from school.”
 
“Did Johnny come?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“And … was there kissage?” Buffy teased, giving her daughter a knowing smile.
 
Annie rolled her eyes, folded her arms over her chest, and huffed out an exasperated breath. “Not hardly.”
 
Tears welled in her daughter’s eyes, and suddenly Buffy missed the anger and resentment that had been there the last few days. “Oh, baby … I’m sorry.”

 

Annie looked at the ceiling to try and keep her tears from falling again, but it was a lost cause. “It was like they didn’t even know me,” she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper. “Like … I wasn’t even me. Without my legs I’m … no one, a stranger. A sideshow freak.”
 
“Oh, honey,” Buffy soothed as she leaned over and pulled Annie into a hug. “That’s not true. They were probably just a little, you know … unsure. They’ll get over it and everything will be fine, you’ll see.”
 
“No it won’t. Nothing will ever be fine again!” Annie asserted, that edge of anger returning to her voice. “I wish I was dead! I might as well just be dead! My life is over! I hate myself! I hate you! I hate everyone! I just want to die!”
 
“Annie! No! Don’t say that! You don’t mean any of that,” Buffy admonished her, the words were like a knife to Buffy’s heart. Buffy knew that every child, at some point in their lives, told their parents they hated them – but that didn’t make the slashes to her heart any less painful. Perhaps it cut more deeply because Buffy hated herself for allowing this to happen to their eldest daughter – she knew that Annie was right to hate her. Buffy deserved her scorn.
 
“Yes I do!” Annie insisted. “I wish…” the girl stopped when her mother suddenly clutched at her head and sank down against her. Buffy’s whole body seemed to turn to jelly and she sagged against the mattress then slid to the floor. Buffy’s head cracked against the linoleum with a thud.



“Mom? Mom, what’s wrong? Mom?!"
 
“MOM!?”
 
“Mama?”
 
“Mother?”
 
Buffy blinked her eyes against the too-bright light that was intensified by the blinding white fog in her brain. “Annie?” she asked, her voice hoarse.
 
“Father said you were up. Miss Nellie sent tea and biscuits. I didn’t mean to wake you,” Anne apologized, her blue eyes full of worry for her step-mother.
 
Buffy looked around. She was in the bed she shared with William, in their bedchamber. Her bloodied clothes had been removed and she wore a long, cotton nightgown now. She closed her eyes again and sat up slowly, trying to stop the spinning in her head. When she pushed against her left arm, pain shot up to her shoulder and across her chest. She cried out and forced her eyes open to see the cause of the pain.
 
Buffy pulled the sleeve up on her nightgown to find her left arm was bandaged from the wrist to the elbow. A five inch long, dark reddish-brown stain of blood had seeped through the white, cloth bandage. A vision of seeing the glass on the sidewalk as she fell flashed in her mind. She remembered knowing that she was going to get cut, but it was too late to do anything to avoid it.
 
“Are you all right, Mother? Shall I fetch Father?” Anne asked as she watched her with concern.
 
Buffy gave the girl a reassuring smile. “I’m okay … just a little groggy. I just had a really … crazy nightmare.”
 
“It’s the medicine they gave you … Laudanum,” Anne assured her. “I heard them talking – the doctor said it could cause bad dreams and such.”
 
Buffy nodded slowly; she didn’t know what that was – a pain killer, she assumed. “Well, that’s good to know. I’d hate to think I conjured all that on my own.”
 
“Would you like some tea? I made it just how you like it … and I brought your favorite biscuits,” Anne offered, holding out the tray a little farther.

 

Buffy smiled again and sat back against the headboard, leaning her head, which was still spinning slightly, back against the solid wood. “Only if you’ll eat some with me.”
 
A smile lit up Anne’s features as she sat the tray down on the bed next to her step-mother and carefully climbed onto the mattress with her so as to not spill the tea.
 
Buffy’s smile widened and she let out a relieved breath. It had all been a nightmare: Spike missing, swallowed by a giant sea demon; Annie in the hospital, crying, sullen, her legs amputated. None of it was real; it was just a horrible nightmare. Everything was fine. Everyone was safe. She was home with William and their family, right where she belonged.

 **~**

HISTORICAL NOTE:

Laudanum, also known as Tincture of Opium, is an alcoholic herbal preparation containing approximately 10% powdered opium by weight. By the 19th century, laudanum was used in many patent medicines to "relieve pain ... to produce sleep ... to allay irritation ... to check excessive secretions ... to support the system ... [and] as a soporific". The limited pharmacopoeia of the day meant that opium derivatives were among the most efficacious of available treatments, so laudanum was widely prescribed for ailments from colds to meningitis to cardiac diseases, in both adults and children. Laudanum was used during the yellow fever epidemic. Innumerable Victorian women were prescribed the drug for relief of menstrual cramps and vague aches. Nurses also spoon-fed laudanum to infants. The Romantic and Victorian eras were marked by the widespread use of laudanum in Europe and the United States.

Other Note:

Cockney Rhyming Slang: Spike never used Cockney Rhyming Slang (as far as I recall), but he wasn’t a true Cockney, was he? Cassandra is. A true Cockney is someone born within the sound of Bow Bells. (St Mary-le-Bow Church in Cheapside, London). Rhyming Slang phrases are derived from taking an expression which rhymes with a word and then using that expression instead of the word. For example the word "look" rhymes with "butcher's hook". In many cases the rhyming word is omitted - so you won't find too many Londoners having a "bucher's hook", but you might find a few having a "butcher's".

"up the stairs" = "up the apples and pears". It is often shortened to "up the apples." 

“baby” = “basin of gravy”. It is sometimes shortened to simply “basin”, but this one is more often used in its full form.

Want more? Check out: http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/cockney_rhyming_slang

 **~**

{{  Click here to hear One Fine Wire, Colbie Caillat on YouTube  }}



I try so many times
but it's not taking me
and it seems so long ago
that I used to believe
and I'm so lost inside of my head
and crazy
but I can’t get out of it
I'm just stumbling

And I'm juggling all the thoughts in my head
I'm juggling and my fears on fire
but I'm listening as it evolves in my head
I'm balancing on one fine wire

And I remember the time my balance was fine
and I was just walking on one fine wire
I remember the time my balance was fine
and I was just walking on one fine wire
but It's frayed at both the ends
and I'm slow unraveling

Life plays so many games inside of me
and I've had some distant cries, following
and their entwined between the night and sun beams
I wish I were free from this pain in me

And I'm juggling all the thoughts in my head
I'm juggling and my fears on fire
but I'm listening as it evolves in my head
I'm balancing on one fine wire

And I remember the time my balance was fine
and I was just walking on one fine wire
I remember the time my balance was fine
and I was just walking on one fine wire
but it's frayed at both the ends
and I'm slow unraveling

And I'm juggling all the thoughts in my head
I'm juggling and my fears on fire
but I'm listening as it evolves in my head
I'm balancing on one fine wire....
End Notes:
Uh-oh. How will the Scoobies get Buffy back from her hallucination without Spike to help capture the demon? Did you guess right about who followed Buffy from the portal? I think most people figured it was either Warren or Rack. A bit more time with William in the 1800s is coming up ... what problems might Liam cause in Buffy's idealistic world 'that might've been'?
Dancing in the Moonlight, Part 1 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Injected with poison from Warren’s Glargabullgashmanick demon, Buffy loses herself in a place she feels safe: in a life from a dream.
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Buffy's Hallucination World:

Sitting with Annie having tea on her bed, Buffy touched a finger gently to her bandaged wound and a sharp pain shot up her arm. She’d lost her Slayer power and her Slayer healing when she'd come back in time – Rack had tapped it all for his time-travel spell, but she’d gained William and gotten her family back. That was the only thing that mattered.
 
“Father said it was quite serious and will take some time to heal,” Anne told her as she sat on the bed next to Buffy and nibbled on a biscuit.

 

Buffy nodded and gave her daughter a small smile. “I hope by the time you’re old enough to go on dates … uhhh, I mean go courting, that someone will have come to their senses and outlawed crinolines … and long skirts, for that matter. They’re totally dangerous.”
 
Anne laughed. Her new mother said some of the queerest things. She still missed her real mother, Cecily, and would always love her, but she also loved Elizabeth. It felt like she’d known her all her life, even though she’d only been here for a little over a year. Her father had explained long ago that Elizabeth had such funny ideas and used unfamiliar words because she was from America. Anne had oft told anyone that would listen that she’d like to see America one day; it must be quite a strange and wondrous land.
 
Despite knowing that her father loved her ‘real’ mother, Anne wasn’t blind. She knew that he loved Elizabeth every bit as much. In truth, she had never seen her father happier. So, despite the whirlwind romance and improper marriage, she and Bess accepted his new bride as their mother. Yes, they got ridiculed at school over it and they’d even lost some friends because other parents forbade their children from socializing with the Weckerlys. All that was a small price to pay to feel the joy that seemed to resonate from the very walls of their house since Elizabeth came to live with them, though.
 
Buffy sipped at the tea and nibbled on the crunchy, sweet biscuits that Anne had brought her. She still felt a bit unsettled about her nightmare, but didn’t let on to the girl about it. Those dreams always felt so real and, even if she couldn’t remember exactly what had happened in them, the feelings they stirred stayed with her, haunted her, sometimes for many hours after she awoke.
 
“Well, it appears your patient is much improved,” William observed as he came in the room. “I knew your tea would work wonders on her.”
 
Anne smiled proudly before popping the last bit of biscuit into her mouth. “She’s much better, Father.”
 
“Splendid, Anne. Why don’t you deliver the tray back down to Miss Nellie, then? I might’ve said to have her give you and Bess some biscuits, but it appears you’ve already partaken.”
 
“Mother said I could have some,” Anne defended as she got up off the bed and gathered up the tea cups and saucers and put them back on the tray.
 
“Indeed. And I’m certain that wasn’t your plan all along,” William teased his eldest girl.

  

“She’s no dummy,” Buffy interjected, giving Anne a conspiratorial smile.
 
“Of that, I am quite certain,” William agreed.

“Shall I bring you anything else, Mother?” Anne asked, neither confirming nor denying his accusation.
 
“No, honey – I’m fine. Thank you. The tea was perfect. I really am feeling much better,” Buffy assured her with a smile.
 
Anne smiled and headed out of the room, closing the door behind her.
 
Buffy looked up at her husband and her smile faded immediately. “Please tell me I didn’t do that,” she pleaded as he moved over and sat on the bed next to her.
 
The whole left side of his face was swollen, including his eye, and a dark purple bruise bloomed angrily on his jaw.
 
William removed his glasses and set them down on the bedside table. “It was my fault, dear. Don’t worry yourself over it. I believe it’s quite rakish, don’t you think?” he asked, lifting his chin and turning his face so she could get the full effect.
 
Buffy shook her head but smiled slightly. “How is me punching you your fault?” She couldn’t actually remember why she’d punched him. She remembered being dizzy and disoriented. She thought she’d seen a demon … but of course, that was ridiculous. This wasn’t Sunnydale. It must’ve been her mind playing tricks on her, perhaps from the loss of blood.
 
William shrugged slightly. “Well, obviously, I should not have had my face in the path of your fist, my dear. I do hope I didn’t injure your hand too severely.”
 
Buffy laughed and rolled her eyes as she clenched and unclenched her right hand. She hadn’t actually noticed that her knuckles were a little bruised and swollen. Funny how a jagged, bone-deep cut can overshadow things like that. “Sooo, rakish, huh? Is that like … a thug or something? Are you a bad boy, William?” Buffy teased.
 
William wagged his brows at her suggestively and Buffy laughed again.
 
“Why, William! I do believe I’ve completely corrupted you and sullied your good name and reputation,” Buffy continued to tease, batting her lashes at him coquettishly. “Whatever shall we do?”
 
William smiled, despite the pain in his jaw, and bit down on his bottom lip. He’d been so worried about her, but she was alright. His devilish angel was fine. “Have you ever had relations with a ruffian, my dear Avengelyne?”
 
“Hmmmm … I can’t say that I have, William. Just who did you have in mind? Mr. Portsworth, the fish monger, perhaps?”
 
William blew out an insulted snort and narrowed his eyes at her. “You, my love, will pay dearly for that tawdry remark.”
 
“Promises, promises.”
 
**~**
 
When William left her alone to get some rest, Buffy retrieved her diary from where she kept it hidden in the bottom drawer of her dresser and opened it up. She’d found that sometimes writing out what she could remember of her dreams helped her shake the feelings they left within her. She usually only did this when William was at work or when she knew he was occupied in his study. She didn’t want him to ever read her entries – ever. There were things in here he should never know.
 
Buffy scanned through the hand-written pages, observing with some satisfaction how much better she’d gotten at writing with these horrid fountain pens since she’d started this. She wondered how long it would be before Mr. Bic or Mr. PaperMate invented ball point pens; she wished it would be soon. Her scrawl still looked like a child’s compared to William’s elegant script; even Anne’s writing looked neater. She didn’t know how they kept those pens from leaking huge stains of ink onto the paper like they always seemed to do with her.
 
She turned to the very first page of the leather-bound book and read…
 
December 31st, 1891:
 
I’ve confiscated this blank journal from William’s study. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind, but I didn’t ask permission. I feel like I’m losing my mind, unable to talk to anyone about the truth of me. So, Dear Diary, you are my only confidant … I hope you can keep me sane. I told William I would stay. I couldn’t bring myself to tell him the truth: that my time here was short – or so Rack had told me. I’ve been here two weeks now. Rack said twenty-four hours at the most. I feel like any moment I’ll simply vanish and be dragged back to the life of my nightmares. A life without Spike. Without my family. Without my friends. I wait for it like a terminal patient waits for death, with resigned dread, never knowing when that final moment will come.
 
I showed William what true love can be and he reminded me what it was to feel at all, but now I am nothing. I’m a nursemaid awaiting the birth of his baby. I live under his roof, but he barely looks at me, he can’t touch me, we can’t be together. Not that he doesn’t want to – oh, he wants to, so do I, but Cecily…Cecily would know. She didn’t even flinch when she saw me. She just gave me that plastic smile and said it was nice to meet me. It was like she’d been expecting me to arrive, just waiting to rub my nose in her victory.
 
She’s so fucking smug. I want to slap that ‘he’s mine you’ll never have him’ look right off her face. Fucking bitch. I’ll show her who’ll have him. Just like her future self, she probably thinks I won’t kill her just because she’s human. She has no idea what I’ve become, what I’m capable of. She has no idea what she’s turned me into. When William, Jr. is born, her usefulness will be over and I’ll have my own vengeance. I could never tell William, he must never know, but she will die by my hand. This I swear.

 

~*~
 
January 1st, 1892:
 
That bitch seduced him last night! And she had the fucking gall to tell me all about it this morning! We both keep playing this game, like we don’t know each other; like we don’t know the truth of the past, but she doesn’t fool me one bit. She knows and she knows that I know that she knows … or something like that.
 
I did my best to not show any emotion as she confided in me, pretending I was her bestest friend in the whole, wide world. She told me all about her magical New Year’s Eve with William, from the party at her parents’ house to screwing him like the skank-ho she is. I had hoped that she was lying to me, just goading me, trying to hurt me more or get a rise out of me, but I knew as soon as I saw William this morning. He couldn’t meet my eyes for even a second. It was true. I hope she couldn’t hear my heart shatter from across the room. I would never want to give her the satisfaction of knowing how much that hurt.
 
William sat next to me in the garden later. He knew that I knew. He seemed so upset that it hurt my soul. I told him I forgave him. In truth, what do I have to forgive? She is his wife. I am nothing. I have no right to be jealous of him sleeping with his own wife. It’s ridiculous! So why am I so fucking mad? Why am I so hurt? Why do I want to kill Cecily right this minute and not wait one more day? I have to be patient. Bide my time. Someone once said that revenge is a dish best served cold. Now that I think about it, I think it’s an old Klingon saying – isn’t it? God – now I’m quoting Klingons! Well, assuming that’s true, then mine will be like a snow-cone. I’ll get my revenge and it’ll be sweet and icy.
 
~*~
 
January 5th, 1892:
 
FINALLY! I thought this day would never get here! I was so afraid I’d be yanked away from this time at the last minute, not able to complete my mission. But it’s over and I’m still here, at least for now. The midwife left us alone to take the baby and get him cleaned up. That was all the chance I needed.
 
Cecily was tired, exhausted really, from birthing MY SON, but she still had that smug look on her face. That look damn sure changed when I pressed the pillow down and suffocated her. She never saw it coming. She didn’t think I’d do it. She’s such a self-centered idiot. Her sneer was gone when I took the pillow away. Fucking bitch wouldn’t be ruining anyone else’s life, that’s for damn sure.
 
I hope William isn’t too devastated. I don’t want him to hurt another moment, but Cecily would only keep on hurting him for the rest of his life. I won’t let that happen. He may send me away, but at least I know that he’s safe now. Even if he doesn’t want me, he can find someone to love him, someone that deserves him. He can be happy.
 
I’m not going to tell him about the baby we made that night in the bandstand. Not until I know if he still wants me. I will not have him say the words only because he feels obligated. He’s in the lead; I’ll follow. I pray that he loves me, but, honestly, I don’t know. He hasn’t said the words since that night in the Common. He hasn’t touched me since the second night I spent in this house when he stole a kiss in the dark hallway before hurrying to his room. That seems like a lifetime ago.
 
Now all I can do is wait. I don’t do wait well. C’mon, William… please don’t make me wait long.
 
~*~
 
January 6th, 1892:
 
I want to sing from the mountaintops! HE LOVES ME! HE LOVES ME! HE LOVES ME! And I didn’t have to wait at all!
 
~*~

Buffy smiled at the words. She’d used a full page to write just that one entry. The rest of her entries were mostly notes about her dreams and nightmares. By getting them out of her mind and onto the paper, it seemed to ease her distress over them. She flipped to the first blank page and wrote the date: February 14th, 1893.

  

“Annie’s birthday,” she murmured, feeling her heart constrict in her chest. She shook her head. Annie was gone. She had Anne now. Anne and Bess and William, Jr. and Wanda. And William. Her first family was long gone – Hallie took them, but Buffy took them back from Cecily. It had been over a year now. The fear that she’d simply vaporize one day, that she’d be hurtled back to the future, had slowly waned as each day passed. All that was left of that old life were the nightmares. Buffy began to write … get it out, ease her heart, let the nightmares of her old life go – they weren't real; they were only the whisperings of long-dead ghosts.
 
**~**
 
A few days later, on a Saturday in the early afternoon, Buffy came home from a shopping trip in a righteous mood. Her arm was getting better; it had gotten a small infection at first, but it wasn’t bad and had cleared up fairly quickly. Now it was healing well, although she was sure she’d always have a nasty scar. She sat her purchases down near the base of the stairs and went into the library to find William.
 
“Did you know about this?” she asked without preamble, waving a newspaper around in the air.
 
“Good afternoon, dear. Did you have a nice time at the shops?” William asked, looking up from his work.

 

“Don’t ‘good afternoon’ me! Did you know about this? The Arsenaults are having a big party tonight and we weren’t invited! We live right next door!” Buffy pointed out unnecessarily.  “I just talked to that … that woman yesterday. I’ve been nothing but nice to her! I even helped her that time her mean, little, rat-faced boy got stuck up in that tree! I’m good enough for that but they can’t invite us to their stupid party?” Buffy dropped the paper on the desk in front of William and crossed her arms over her chest indignantly, her lips set in a dour frown.
 
“I take baths! So do you! We don’t smell! We even eat with silverware and I know which fork is for the salad and everything. It’s not fair,” she whined as her bottom lip stuck out in a deadly pout.
 
William sighed and scanned the society column that told of the upcoming party. “My dear Avengelyne, you must know that we are … social lepers. I warned you of this before we were wed. I’m dreadfully sorry,” William apologized, standing up and moving around the desk to her side.
 
“Well, last I looked, I don’t have any body parts falling off,” Buffy groused. “I have all those beautiful dresses you bought me and I never get to wear them anywhere. Is there a social leper colony we could join … you know, just for the music and dancing?”
 
William pulled her into a hug as he sighed heavily. He really didn’t care about what other people thought of him, but he hated that they shunned his angel as well. She didn’t deserve their snide remarks and cold shoulders.
 
Buffy leaned into him and let out a frustrated breath. It felt good to be in his arms. That made everything so much better, even social leprosy.
 
Suddenly, William pushed her back to arm’s length, a giddy glint in his eye and a self-satisfied smirk on his lips.
 
“Uht-oh … I know that look.”
 
“Get dressed, my dear. We will be attending a gala ball this evening. Wear your very best gown. In fact, everyone’s invited. Cassandra, Miss Nellie, Theresa … and the children as well!” William enthused.
 
“What? William, what are you going to do?” Buffy asked warily as he began moving away from her and towards the door. “We aren’t crashing their party ... are we?” Buffy actually liked the idea of crashing the stuck-up neighbors’ party, but didn’t think that would help their social standing any.
 
“No time to dawdle now!” William advised, ignoring her question. “I’ve a few things to take care of. You tell everyone – eight p.m. sharp in the back garden and no peeking beforehand! Have them wear their nicest frocks. Of course, their husbands or beaus are invited, as well,” he called over his shoulder as he started out of the library at a quick pace and towards the front door.
 
“William!” Buffy called, hoisting her skirt and starting after him, but it was too late. He had already grabbed his coat and was gone.
 
“Hmph …” Buffy snorted softly. “Ok … fine, Master William. You want fancy, you’re gonna get fancy.”
 
**~**
 
There was a flurry of activity in the house after William left as Buffy told everyone of the impromptu party. Everyone began talking at once, wondering just what William was up to. The mystery of it just added to their excitement, however, as they all began their preparations for the private, fancy dress ball. Buffy went around to every room that faced the back garden and pulled the shades and closed the drapes. She could hear voices in the garden and things being brought in, but she didn’t peek and defied anyone else to look before the 8pm witching hour.
 
Buffy got a bath and Theresa helped her dress before the house-maid headed to her own home to get ready. Theresa was older than Cassandra, close to thirty, about Buffy’s age, Buffy guessed. Unlike Cassandra, she was soft spoken and her accent, according to William, was ‘North London’: not as refined as his Oxford accent or as thick as Cassandra’s.  Theresa had a heavy, wild mane of brunette hair that she attempted to tame each and every day. It never worked. Each day, by noon at the latest, it escaped the pins and combs that held it atop her head and tumbled about her shoulders in defiance, as if it had a mind of its own. She had large, soft, warm eyes the color of dark cocoa that always seemed to be glittering with some joke only she knew. Her dark eyes were set off by her creamy complexion that held a smattering of dark freckles across her nose and the apples of her cheeks. Buffy had learned that she was married, but didn’t have any children, and that she’d only worked for the Weckerly household for a short time – only about a year and a half.
 
William had brought her in mainly to help Nellie, who was getting on in age and couldn’t get around like she once did. Now, Nellie concentrated strictly on cooking and taking care of the kitchen, while Theresa handled keeping the rest of the house in order. Buffy watched her work every day and could never figure out how women got the moniker of the ‘weaker sex’. Housework in Victorian times, Buffy discovered, was hard work! Buffy would’ve had no idea how to do half the things Theresa did and, without her Slayer strength, was frankly glad she didn’t have to.


 
The house-maid spent her days hauling the rugs outside and beating them into submission … or perhaps she was beating the dirt of out them, Buffy wasn’t sure. She cleaned the ash from the fireplaces and woodstoves every day and brought in more firewood … which would be turned into ash, which would start the process all over the following day. And who could forget ‘washing day’!? Washing day was actually two days – one for clothing and one for linens, and that didn’t include the diapers, which were Cassandra’s responsibility. All the washing was done by hand in wooden barrels and tubs. The water had to be hauled from the well to the wash-shed in buckets. It was then heated over a fire in a large, cast-iron cauldron. Finally, it was poured up into a wash-tub and the ‘agitation’ was done by Theresa – by hand. Then, to top it all off, after the laundry had been washed, rinsed, hung up to dry, and taken in, it had to be ironed with a heavy iron … literally made of iron, which was heated on the woodstove. Buffy thought the house-maid could most likely out arm-wrestle her, and she wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that whacker she used on the rugs. Babe Ruth had nothing on that woman’s swing.
  
To Buffy’s credit, she did suggest that perhaps they could pipe water to the wash-shed, as they’d done for the WCs in the house, so Theresa wouldn’t have to carry the water by hand. She also checked on getting a washing machine, but was disappointed when no one knew what she was talking about. No one knew what a vacuum cleaner was either – despite Buffy remembering to call it by its proper name: Hoover.
 
While Theresa helped Buffy get dressed, Cassandra helped Anne and Bess. The girls picked out their favorite fancy dresses, and Cassandra got them all gussied up, including fixing their hair up atop their heads like proper ladies. When they were ready, looking like little angels, the nursemaid retired to her own room. By 7:30 everyone except Cassandra and William were dressed and gathered in the front parlour, awaiting the appointed hour to arrive. Buffy assumed hostess responsibilities and was serving everyone libations as they waited and chatted amiably amongst themselves.
 
William finally came in the house at about 7:45. He looked like he’d been doing manual labor. His hair appeared windblown, despite a lack of wind today. Buffy knew he must’ve been running his hands through it constantly to get it that mussed. Beyond his disheveled hair, his cheeks were flushed, his clothes were rather unkempt, and a thin bead of perspiration adorned his brow. Buffy had to smile at the sight of him; she’d never seen William look quite so much like a … stevedore.
 
“Ahhhh… don’t you all look exquisite!” William enthused as he entered the parlour. “I must apologize, the ball will be delayed just a wee bit whilst I change. I trust the refreshments are suitable.”
 
Everyone raised their glasses and nodded or murmured their agreement that the refreshments were more than suitable.
 
“Very well, then. I’ll just be a moment … or two,” William excused himself and hurried upstairs.
 
“Where’s Cassandra?” Buffy finally asked Anne.
 
Anne had a slightly pained expression on her face. “I don’t think she has anything to wear … nothing suitable for a fancy-dress ball.”
 
“Oh … why didn’t she say something? I have lots of dresses that would fit her.”
 
Anne shrugged. “I think perhaps she was embarrassed.”
 
“Oh, that’s ridiculous,” Buffy asserted as she lifted her long skirt, turned abruptly, and headed determinedly towards the stairs.
 
She paused next to Nellie, who was talking with Theresa and her husband. “Miss Nellie, I hate to ask, but could you make sure everyone’s glass is filled for a few minutes? I just need to check on Cassandra,” Buffy asked the cook.
 
“No problem a’tall, Miss Elizabeth,” Nellie agreed with a nod.
 
Upstairs, Buffy quickly went through her wardrobe and picked out a dress she knew would look lovely on the young blonde nursemaid. It was a long-sleeved, soft, pastel-pink, silken gown with dark-plum lace covering the bodice. It was cut low enough to be slightly revealing, but not so low that it was improper. The bustle was made from rich layers of the silk and lace, alternating light and dark, and fell in graceful tiers down the back of the skirt. It would highlight Cassandra’s light complexion perfectly. Buffy took the dress from her closet, hurried down to the second floor, and knocked on the girl’s door.
 
After a few moments, Cassandra opened the door, still dressed in her work uniform. Her eyes were reddened and damp, as if she’d been crying.
 
“Is vere somefing a’ matter, milady?” she asked in her thick Cockney drawl, looking down the hall towards the nursery. “Didn’ ‘ear the babies pipin’.”
 
“Yes, there most definitely is!” Buffy informed her, holding the dress out. “You aren’t dressed!”
 
Cassandra looked at the dress for a moment as if she’d never seen such a thing before, then looked up and met Buffy’s eyes. “But … I wouldn’t dare, milady. It’s … Vat’s as lovely a name as I’d ever ‘ope t’ see, but … ‘tis yours. Well beyond me station, it ‘tis.”
 
Buffy stared at her with confusion, her brows furrowed. Half the things Cassandra said were gibberish to Buffy; usually William or Nellie was there to help decipher the girl’s Cockney colloquialisms. Finally, Buffy just forged ahead. “I’m not giving it to you – you can borrow it, though. Just think of me as your fairy god-mother. But Cinderella better hurry before the carriage turns into a pumpkin and the horses turn back into rats.”
 
A disbelieving smile curled the corners of the young woman’s lips and her dark blue eyes sparkled as if stars had been dropped into them. She opened her mouth to speak, but was, quite literally, speechless. It was possibly a first.
 
“Don’t talk. Dress,” Buffy instructed, pressing the gown into the nursemaid’s hands.
 
Cassandra nodded eagerly as she took it. “Yes, milady.”
 
**~**
 

At about 8:30 William reappeared in the parlour, dressed for the ball. The breath actually caught in Buffy’s throat when she saw him. He looked, well, dashing.
 
He was dressed in a black tuxedo: a well tailored, quite tight tuxedo that definitely accentuated his assets. The jacket had long tails down the back, but the front was cut short, ending at his waist. Beneath the jacket, he had on a hand-embroidered waistcoat, which was white with shiny silver stitching that ran in random swirling pattern over the whole of it. A white bow-tie encircled the high, white collar of his dress shirt, and the ensemble was finished off with white gloves, form-fitting black trousers, and black dress shoes.
 
William hadn’t really had time to focus on Buffy’s attire before when he’d dashed in, upset with himself for being tardy for his own gala. But now he took a moment to really center on his wife. Her auburn red hair was piled high upon her head and she had on a small black hat sitting atop that mountain of fire. A few ringlets hung free and framed her face; she seemed to glow from within.
 
Her dress was made of crushed black velvet. It was long-sleeved with a square neckline that went just low enough to make him wish it was a couple of inches lower, but that wouldn’t have been proper. The front of her dress shimmered with dozens of hand-embroidered roses. The embroidery combined white Brussels lace with the rich black velvet of the dress and looked three-dimensional. More fine lace adorned the collar, sleeves, and neckline, and formed a dust ruffle on the bottom of the floor-length dress. Her small waist was accentuated by a tight bodice that made it appear as though she was wearing an open vest over the top of the lace. A full bustle at the back was layered with more of the lace and velvet. The final touches were lacy black gloves and a white fan that matched the lace of her dress.



Buffy flipped the fan open and peeked over it at him, fluttering it quickly. He could see a flirty smile in her eyes, even though he couldn’t actually see her lips. He couldn’t help but think of later that night when he got to unwrap that delectable morsel from her fancy trappings.
 
William cleared his throat as he pulled his mind back to the moment and everyone turned to look at him. “I’m terribly pleased that you could all make it on such short notice. I know it was quite … improper, however I do believe I’ve gotten quite practiced at improper of late. I do hope you don’t mind too terribly,” William began as he moved towards Buffy.
 
“Without further ado, please let me welcome you to our garden gala,” he continued as he offered Buffy his arm and she settled her hand in the crook of his elbow.
 
The pair walked towards the set of double doors at the back of the parlour that led out into the back garden. William threw them both open with a flourish before offering his arm to his wife again and escorting her into their transformed garden.

 

Buffy drew in a surprised gasp at the sight that greeted them. The whole garden was aglow with small Japanese lanterns within which burned flickering candles. It gave the whole area an otherworldly feel, as if they had just been transported halfway around the globe to the Orient. Even the small fish pond in the center had lanterns floating in it and the light danced as it reflected off the still water. Off to one side there was a buffet table set up with all manner of fancy French hors d'oeuvres, another table held nothing but desserts, and yet another held liquid refreshments. A wooden dance floor had been erected near the back of the garden on the side of the yard next to the Arsenaults and they could easily hear the music from the quartet playing next door.
 
“I do apologize for not having servers. It was simply impossible on such short notice. But please do help yourselves to all the refreshments,” William invited as he and Buffy turned to welcome their guests to his garden gala.
 
Everyone ‘oooo’d and ‘ahhhh’d at the decorations and thanked their host for the gracious invitation. As they passed the couple and made their way into the garden, the guests assured him that, no, of course, it was no problem to serve themselves.
 
When everyone had passed, Buffy turned to William and put her arms around his neck. “How did you do all this so fast?”
 
William shrugged slightly. “Apparently our shillings are not as socially reprehensible as we are.
 
“Does it please you?” he asked, looking into her green eyes, which glittered in the flickering glow of the candles.
 
“It’s beautiful. Yes … it pleases me very much,” Buffy assured him. “And might I say how debonair you look, Mr. Weckerly.”
 
William blushed slightly at the compliment, ducking his head shyly as the old William snuck out of hiding for a moment. “And you, my dear Mrs. Weckerly, look simply ravishing. That gown is divine and you make it all the more splendid.”
 
“Oh! This old thing?” Buffy teased as she backed up and lifted the full skirt out to the sides with her hands and gave a small curtsy.
 
William smiled at her, the mischief and laughter in her eyes warmed his heart. That something as simple as an impromptu soirée for just their family and household staff could please her so much was just one of the many things that he loved about his angel.
 
Borrowed music from the ball next door drifted over the garden walls and William extended a hand towards her. “May I have this dance, milady?”
 
“Are you certain it would be proper?” Buffy teased.
 
“With you, my dear, I’m quite certain that it would not,” William assured her.
 
Buffy tilted her head to the side and gave him a slight nod. “In that case, I accept.”
 
{{  Click here to hear Blue Danube Waltz  on YouTube  }}

Elizabeth and William were the first ones on the dance floor. The Blue Danube floated on the breeze and William led her in a slow waltz around the small floor. Buffy remembered dancing this same dance with Spike – thank goodness he’d taught her all these old dances! Soon Theresa and her husband, Darryl, joined them on the floor, then Nellie led Anne out, and Cassandra brought Bess, and the whole group waltzed ‘round and ‘round in the soft glow of the candlelight.
 
Since she hadn’t planned on attending and therefore didn’t tell him about it, Cassandra’s beau, Richard, showed up a bit later. Between dances, conversations infused with laughter filled the back garden as the small group crossed all of society’s boundaries and simply enjoyed each other’s company. Buffy had never met Richard or Darryl before and she was amazed to learn that Cassandra’s beau was a ‘knocker-up’.
 
“You … knock people up?” Buffy asked with shock, looking from Richard to Cassandra.
 
“Aye – near ‘bouts a hundred a day,” he’d replied proudly.
 
“A hundred … a day?” Buffy choked out with wide eyes.
 
“’Course, that’s jus’ in d’ mornin’. Drive a hansom cab of d’ evenin’,” he continued brightly.
 
Buffy started at him blankly for a few moments. “I find that … incredible. W-what do you eat?”
 
“Eat?” Richard asked, confused. “Bangers and mash, fish n’ chips … simple fare.”
 
“And you knock up a hundred women a day? And then … drive people around at night?” she asked skeptically. “No oysters or …” She was going to ask about Viagra, but was fairly certain if there were no washing machines, ballpoint pens, or Hoovers, then there certainly was no Viagra.
 
“Oh, no,” he interrupted her thoughts – waving a hand dismissively. “Only a few women, I’d reckon – mostly men that work in the factories in Manchester.”
 
“Men? You knock up men? How…”
 
“Elizabeth,” William interrupted, moving over to her after he excused himself from a conversation with Darryl when he noticed her consternation. “A knocker-up taps on people’s windows to awaken them in the morning.”
 
Buffy looked at William with wide eyes, then back at Richard. She swallowed hard, trying to regain an air of nonchalance. “Oh. I knew that.” Note to self: invent alarm clock – make a million.


 
**~**
 
The dancing went well into the night. Buffy, Anne, and Bess took turns dancing with William. To say his dance card was full would’ve been an understatement, but he didn’t mind at all. Bess, being only five, didn’t actually know how to dance, so William lifted her up and twirled her around as he danced. She floated around the dance floor with him, giggling with glee. They’d never done anything like this before. It was the most fun ever.
 
When it was Anne’s turn, William guided her through the movements until she was following him easily. Buffy stood with her hands on Bess’ shoulders and watched them. The wide grin on Anne’s face was a mixture of nerves, excitement, and joy as she moved around the floor with her father. There was a periodic grimace on her face when she stepped on his toes, but William didn’t falter as they glided around, carried away on the river of borrowed music that drifted over from the neighbors.
 
Buffy felt a lump form in her throat and a strange stabbing in her heart as she watched them smiling and dancing. Tears welled in her eyes and she suddenly found it hard to breathe. At first she couldn’t understand the strange feelings, then the horrible nightmare she’d had the night she’d cut her arm came flooding back to her.
 
It was just a dream, it was just a dream, she repeated to herself, but the swell of emotion rising in her wouldn’t abate. She bit her lip to keep her chin from quivering as she watched Anne waltzing with her father. One … two, three, one … two, three.
 
“Mother? Is something the matter?” Bess asked looking up at her with confusion. “Are you not having a good time?”
 
Buffy looked down and gave the small blonde a forced smile as she willed the memory of the painful dream back to the deepest recesses of her mind. “I’m having a wonderful time. Everything’s … everything’s perfect,” she assured the child just as the music stopped.
 
William escorted Anne off the dance floor, stopping in front of Buffy and Bess. “My turn!” Bess exclaimed, raising her arms for him to pick her up.
 
“There’s no music, darling,” William pointed out. “And I believe it’s your mother’s turn next.”
 
Bess’ lip poked out in a classic Summers pout. “But then it’s mine turn after Mother,” she claimed, not wanting to lose her place on his dance card.
 
“Yes. I do promise you another dance, but first I believe some refreshment is in order. I don’t believe I’ve ever danced quite so much,” William admitted.
 
When the girls nodded and scampered off to find something to eat and drink, Buffy gave William a teasing smile. “I hope you won’t be too tired for our own private dance later,” she whispered to him.
 
William ran his tongue over his lips and smirked back at her. “Never too tired for that, Avengelyne.”

**~**

.... Continued in next chapter. Too long to fit into one.
End Notes:
Oooo - did you guess before when Buffy was reading William's diary that perhaps Cecily hadn't died naturally? I wonder what William would think if he found out? Let's hope he doesn't. And let's hear it for Mr. Maytag and Mr. Hoover and whoever invented the alarm clock (Mr. Timex?) ... I mean, really!? A knocker-up? Yep - really. More of this night in the next chapter...
Dancing in the Moonlight, Part 2 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Continued from previous chapter...


The French hors d'oeuvres had been consumed by the guests with zeal, as had the sweets that William had secured for the occasion. A fair amount of imbibing of wines and cordials took place over the course of the night, as well.  William was quite certain that his improper gathering had been much more interesting and lively than the tedious, but quite proper, gala ball that took place next door.
 
But now the garden was dark, empty, and silent. The candles had all burned out, there was no music drifting on the breeze, and all their guests had either gone home or were tucked into their beds upstairs. It was just Elizabeth and William left outside, sitting on one of the benches in the moonlit back garden.
 
“Did you have a good time this evening?” William asked as Buffy leaned against him and he tucked her under his arm.
 
“Mmm-hmm. It was the best, William. Nearly perfect,” Buffy assured him. “There was one thing missing that would’ve made it completely perfect.”
 
William’s brow furrowed in concern. “Servers?” he wondered.
 
Buffy laughed. “No, not servers,” she clarified as she pulled away and stood up. “Dance with me,” she requested, extending her hand to him.
 
William look confused. “There’s no music,” he pointed out.
 
Buffy just inclined her head towards the dance floor and extended her arm a bit further.
 
William shrugged slightly, taking her hand, then followed her onto the dance floor.
 
“This is a new dance,” she told him as she pressed her body against his and wrapped her arms around his neck. “You put your arms around me,” she instructed. “It’s very slow and you just move a little bit, like this,” she continued as she began moving her feet and turning them in a slow circle.
 
“And what do you call this dance without music?” William wondered.

 

“Oh … there’s music! Can’t you hear it?” Buffy wondered as she began to hum – then sing softly.
 
“♫ We get it on most every night, when that moon is big and bright. It’s a supernatural delight, everybody’s dancing in the moonlight. Do-do-do-do-do… ♫
 
“♫ Dancing in the moonlight, everybody's feeling warm and bright. It's such a fine and natural sight, everybody's dancing in the moonlight. Do-do-do-do-do-do…♫”
 
William smiled and wrapped his arms more tightly around her as she melted into him and they swayed under the moon to her scandalous song. He never knew what his angel would come out with next. He looked forward to hearing every song that she held in her heart, seeing every smile that graced her lips, and ducking every indignant huff when she was told by some poor sod that she couldn’t do something. That it wasn’t proper. It wasn’t ladylike. It just wasn’t done. William wanted nothing more than to experience all that and more; not just today or tomorrow, but for the rest his life – the rest of eternity if possible.
 
“♫ We like our fun and we never fight, you can't dance and stay uptight. It's a supernatural delight. Everybody was dancing in the moonlight … Dancin’ in the moonlight, do-do-do-do, feeling warm and bright …♫”
 
When Buffy ran out of verses that she could remember, she just hummed as they kept dancing. William picked the tune up with her, adding his baritone to her Victorian version of karaoke.
 
After a few more minutes in her arms, William suddenly stopped moving and pulled back to look into her eyes. “You are the most amazing woman, Avengelyne,” he whispered to her before dipping his head and brushing his mouth against hers.

 

Buffy moaned and nibbled at his lips lightly before pressing her lips against his and darting her tongue into his mouth. He tasted of sugary petit fours and brandy and desire. “Make love to me, William,” she breathed against his lips as she ran her hand over his chest lightly.
 
William recaptured her lips and pulled her body tightly against his, his all too conspicuous erection pressing hard against her hip. When the kiss broke, he took her hand and began leading her back towards the house, but she pulled back and stood firm.
 
When he turned, silently questioning her with just his eyes, Buffy shook her head. “No – here. In the moonlight. Make love to me here.”

 

William swallowed hard as his eyes darted up and around, looking at all the dark windows above them that could see into their garden. “But…” he began to object, waving a hand at the neighboring houses as well as their own.
 
Buffy stepped back up to him. “Unwrap me in the moonlight, William. I want to feel you touching me here, under the stars. I want to feel the moonbeams caressing my skin. Lay me down in the cool grass and make me burn.”
 
What was there to say to that invitation? Even if William had been able to form words, there was no riposte to that. He wondered briefly if he’d be fired from the university if he were to be arrested for lewd and lascivious behavior, dragged out of his own back garden, and tossed in with the harlots and tramps. He didn’t think about it long, however – about as long as it took Buffy to run her hand down from his chest to the bulge in his trousers.
 
He grabbed the hand that was groping him and pulled her over towards the wild cherry tree in the corner of the garden. It would at least give some small amount of cover from insomniacs who may hazard a glance down into their sanctuary.

 

This time the dance of disrobement wasn’t slow and gentle, but more frantic. William had longed to feel her skin under his palms this whole night and now that need had turned into an urgent, burning desire. In order to feel her skin, however, the first things that had to go were his gloves. And Buffy followed suit, pulling her gloves off as well, and dropping them onto the lawn at their feet. Then it was a hurried scramble for buttons and hooks and ties. There was a gallant battle with the layers of clothing interspersed with kisses and nibbles of heated flesh as it was revealed, bit by naughty bit, to the moonlight.
 
At last, their clothes lay in heaps on the dew-covered grass; the only things left were Buffy’s hat and the pins in her hair. As William reached for the hat, Buffy stopped him, placing both hands on his hard chest and holding him at arm’s length. He paused and met her gaze, then watched as she backed up another pace from him, into the full glow of the moon above. Her body seemed to shimmer in the soft light. Her creamy skin drank in the moonbeams and reflected them back like a star glittering in the night sky. It was where his angel belonged, he knew – in the heavens. He never went a day without thanking all that was good and holy for bringing her to him and allowing this goddess to walk at his side, here among the mortals on earth.
 
Buffy slowly lifted her arms and pulled the pins out that were holding her hat on, then tossed it to the side with the rest of her clothes as William watched, enraptured. Then she set to removing all the pins and combs that held her long, fiery mane atop her head. When her soft tresses cascaded down like flashes of flickering flames and washed over her shoulders, William drew in a sharp breath. She was radiant … effulgent.
 
Buffy held her hand out to him, encouraging him to move out from under the canopy of the tree and into the light of the moon with her. He swallowed hard and took two steps forward. He could no longer see the dark windows of the houses above them. All he could see was this beauty that stood before him, unabashed, unafraid, uninhibited. This angel who had taught him so much, who had, in fact, shown him what true love was and what it meant to be a man, beckoned him and he could not refuse her allure.
 
“You grow more lovely by the day, Avengelyne,” he murmured to her as he took her hand and stepped up close enough that her breasts touched his chest.
 
Buffy clasped her hands on each side of his face as she rose up on her toes and captured his lips with hers. She never got tired of feeling his lips on her, of tasting him, of seeing his desire for her standing hard and proud, of hearing his voice calling her name, of stifling his cries with her own. Her core ached for him to be inside her – she’d longed for him all day, all night. She longed for him every day, to be honest. But this night, seeing him in his finery, watching him move and dance as his tuxedo hugged his body, her desire was even stronger, burning like a bonfire within her.
 
William wrapped his arms around her and ran his hands lightly up and down the soft skin of her back, exploring every dip and rise of her body as they kissed. The passion she raised in him made him feel like an animal, a beast. Not long ago he would’ve been ashamed to admit such a thing, but his angel had been the one to show him the primal lust that lurked just beneath the surface. She’d been the one to bring it out of him and she was not ashamed, so he embraced it, gave in to it, let himself ‘just be’.
 
William pushed her down onto the soft, thick mat of grass at their feet and Buffy went without hesitation. When he grabbed her hips and flipped her over onto hands and knees, she felt the flames within her fan higher. And suddenly, he was inside her, filling her, fucking her tight, wet pussy with the power that she loved. Buffy dropped down from her hands to her elbows on the grass as William held her hips in his hands and slammed into her from behind. The animal was free – she’d given him the key to his own cage and welcomed his feral desire into the light. There was no place for shame, only for pleasure, for them both.
 
Buffy’s long mane of copper-red hair danced in the moonlight as it fell over the ivory skin of her back and shoulders. William reached one hand out to tangle in its softness. He loved the way it felt against his skin, like silken sunshine. Her body moved with him under the night sky, pressing back against him as he thrust forward. He craved her passion like he craved air to breathe – it was more than a desire, it was a burning need, and she filled it time and time again.
 
Wave after wave of pleasure washed through Buffy’s body as William pounded into her, each thrust harder than the one before. She bit down on her forearm to keep from screaming out lest the dark windows above them open their sleepy eyes. She felt his fingers tangle in her hair and she lifted her head away from her arm to bathe him in her tresses. When he reached around her, slid a finger between her folds and touched her clit, Buffy’s body jerked and bucked against him. The bonfire within her exploded in a fiery eruption of ecstasy.

 

William fought against his own need to call her name to the heavens, to howl at the moon, to announce his bliss to the whole world. How could she bring this out in him so easily? His whole body thrummed and tingled as her pussy tightened and pulled him deeper into her wet heat. He was certain that even the goddess Aphrodite could not hold a candle to his earth angel – she was perfection personified. Her lust, her passion, her humor, her kind heart, her dangerous pouts … her love. She meant the world to him. He could deny her nothing; he would never even try.
 
William felt her body convulse under him, could hear her muffled cries as she came and he slammed into her harder, lifting her on the moonbeams, allowing her to soar and glide through her old home among the gods for as long as he could. Buffy dropped her upper body and head down, and screamed against the cool grass and earth below her. She couldn’t hold it in – if she did, the fire would surely consume her.
 
With a final, savage thrust into her, William’s cum exploded out of his quivering, spent body and filled her. He leaned forward and buried his own loud moans of pleasure against her back as his cock surged and throbbed within her heat, draining him.
 
When her husband released his tight hold on her and pulled away, Buffy collapsed down onto the cool grass and rolled onto her back, her arms and legs splayed haphazardly on the lawn. She was sure she could hear steam hissing from under her where her hot flesh hit the dew-covered blades of rye-grass that served as their bed.
 
William moved up next to her on hands and knees. She was resplendent in the moonlight. Why had she not shown this to him before? Her damp skin glowed and shimmered in the soft, white light that shone down on her from the heavens. Her breasts heaved and swayed as she fought to get air back into her body, the muscles of her stomach and legs still trembled slightly from the exertion and pleasure of her orgasm. She was dazzling.
 
William dropped his mouth down and began to kiss her heated flesh, causing new rivers of chill-bumps to spring up and tingle over her soft, creamy skin. He suddenly felt the need to kiss every inch of her, to lick every drop of perspiration from her body, and to taste his essence mingled with hers.
 
“You are an angel, Avengelyne. A true gift from the gods,” he murmured to her as his mouth moved steadily over her quivering flesh.
 
His lips and tongue whispered over her skin and Buffy moaned her approval as she tangled her hands in his soft, curly hair. Her body still thrummed from her orgasm, blood still rushed passionately through her veins, her womanhood still tingled with desire. Instead of all those things slowing and calming, William’s mouth, tongue, and now hands were revving them up again. Her heart pounded feverishly in her chest, her breaths came fast and shallow, and her vagina pulsed with renewed need.
 
“William … so good,” Buffy moaned and he licked and kissed and caressed her body. “Love you so much.”
 
William smiled, rose up, and moved to capture her lips with his. “And I love you more than you could ever know,” he whispered against her lips between soft kisses.
 
Buffy began running her hands over her body, across her stomach, up to the swell of her breasts to her hard nipples. When she came in contact with William’s strong arm that he was using to support himself over her, she trailed her hand up and teased her fingers over his shoulder and down his back to the curve of his ass, giving it a firm squeeze.
 
“Make me cum, William,” Buffy begged as he resumed his mission to kiss every inch of her skin.
 
“Your wish, milady, is my command,” William murmured against her skin as he moved down her body.
 
William settled between her legs and laid his body down on the cool grass. He lifted her legs up and draped them over his shoulders, opening her glistening flower to him.
 
His own heart raced in his chest in anticipation of tasting his own juices mingled with hers, but he didn’t want to rush this … he wanted to savor it. He took a deep, calming breath and looked up at the dark windows that surrounded their back garden. If anyone looked out of those windows, what would they think? Before Avengelyne, if he had looked out and seen such a sight, what would he have done? Fainted dead away? Stood, transfixed, and watched? Closed the blinds and left the couple to their tawdry dance? Called the Constable and reported the barbaric behavior?
 
He smiled to himself and shook his head. The former was most likely what he would’ve done – fainted dead away; although the latter would’ve been the proper course of action, and he was a proper gentleman to be sure. After all, having vulgarians living next door would most certainly lower the property values of the whole neighborhood.
 
Buffy lifted one foot up and dropped her heel down in the middle of his back between his shoulder blades – hard, pulling William from his musings. “What are you doing? I’m pretty sure sex via mental telepathy doesn’t really get the job done, William.”
 
“My apologies … you are simply divine, my darling,” William explained as he wriggled around and tried to push his shoulder blades together and ease the pain she’d imparted on his mid-back with her heel. “I was completely lost in the beauty of you.”
 
“Uh-huh …” Buffy agreed sarcastically. “That’s why you were looking up at the … Oh God!”
 
William smirked as he twirled his tongue around her clit again and flicked it over the hard nub, the tip of his tongue just barely touching the bundle of nerves. There was one way to get her to stop talking … one sure way. William moaned against her as he tickled his tongue down from her clit to her dripping hole. His tongue darted out and tasted the slickness that covered her.
 
Their juices mingled together into a salty, tangy manna that he loved. The feel, the flavor, the sensation of it made his cock jump again. Before his angel, he’d only known one woman intimately: his wife, Cecily. She was cold and distant and they rarely made love. She would never, ever have allowed such a wanton display of debauchery. Never. The pleasures that his fallen angel had shown him over the last year had amazed and astonished him … and at times embarrassed him, truth be told. But she had been encouraging and passionate and she wanted him. Carnally. He’d fallen in love with her that very first night and that love had only grown with each passing day.
 
William dipped his tongue into her deeply, burying his face in her damp folds and Buffy’s hips jerked up against him. Her hands teased her sensitive nipples as he licked and slurped their slick, decadent dew from her chalice.
 
“Yes … William … more, baby,” Buffy urged him as her hands wandered down her body, momentarily tangling in his curls, then back up again. And he gave her more.
 
He slipped a slender finger down her slit and found her aching clitoris, and Buffy’s back arched up off the soft grass. She had to press her arm over her mouth to keep her cries contained within the garden walls.
 
“Yes … yes … yes …” she moaned as her hips bucked against him. She could feel the heat rising again from her loins, creeping up her body, ready to explode at any moment. She used her free hand to twist and pull her hard nipples, and the fire jumped and surged within her further. Then William moved his mouth back to her clit and sucked down on it hard, nibbling with his teeth and flicking his tongue against it rapidly.
 
Words lost all meaning as Buffy’s body convulsed under him. Bright colors pulsed behind her closed eyelids, her toes curled, and her legs quivered, jumped, and spasmed with every touch of his tongue to her clit. The fire within her raged as if blown by the Santa Ana winds across a parched landscape – leaving nothing in its wake but burnt embers and billowing ashes.

 

William knew he had taken her there as her body tightened and her muffled cries vibrated through her, unable to escape past her arm. Feeling her under him, tasting her like this, made his own need rise within him again with an urgency and passion he’d never felt with anyone but Avengelyne.
 
Before Buffy could even come down from her orgasm, her arm that was stifling her cries was yanked away from her mouth and replaced with William’s lips. She could feel his body moving against hers – hard and hot and damp from the dew on the grass and their exertion. She wrapped her legs around his slim hips and welcomed his hardness into her. William fought to go slow this time, to watch her face as he entered her. It was when she was the most beautiful: in those moments when he was pressing in, when she was welcoming him into her with love and desire.
 
He pulled back from the kiss and his angel opened her loving eyes and gazed up at him. The moonbeams seemed to have dropped stars into those emerald pools and they sparkled with joy. He could easily get lost in those eyes … drown in them for all eternity. His angel gasped when he pushed in, and then her moan seemed to come as a purr from deep within her body, perhaps from her very soul. She wrapped her arms around his back and lifted her hips up slowly to meet his.
 
William’s blue eyes gazed down on her with so much love, so much reverence and awe that Buffy wondered if there was someone else he was seeing – surely all that couldn’t be for her. She bit her lip as a joyous smile graced her lips as she realized that yes, it really was for her. He showered her with passion and deep, abiding love as he pressed into her. His blue eyes danced with devotion and tenderness as he stared down on her, transfixed. She could feel him stretching her, filling her, completing her, as his cock slid in. Then, when he was buried to the root, the tip of his cock pressing against her cervix, he stopped moving.
 
Buffy took a breath and let it out slowly as she savored every emotion, every sensation that he was pouring over her. She lifted her head up until her mouth was next to his ear and whispered, “Make love to me, William.”
 
And there was the angel inside the woman. William’s heart soared. There was no denying that he craved the frantic, animalistic, primal sex they often had, but he dearly adored making love to her. Soft, sweet, slow, sensual love.
 
William dipped his head down and brushed a kiss on her lips as he started moving his hips, pulling out just as slowly and deliberately as he’d pressed in. He kept his eyes locked onto hers, drinking in the beauty of her as they made love on the lawn of the back garden in the moonlight. Nothing could’ve been more perfect.
 
**~**
 
William couldn’t wipe the school-boy grin off his face even if he’d wanted to as he climbed into their bed and pulled the quilt up to cover their bare bodies later that night. The sun would be up soon, he knew. He'd left a note for Nellie to not wake them for breakfast, simply saying that they would join the family for tea later in the day.
 
He spooned against his wife’s back and she wriggled back against his body. They fit together like pieces of a puzzle, as if they were made for each other. William nuzzled against her neck, burying his face in her fiery mane and breathing in the scent of her. He could never get enough of that heavenly aroma, never get enough of her soft skin, her supple body pressed against him … never get enough of her.
 
Buffy pulled one of his arms over her body and intertwined her fingers with his as she cuddled back against him and sighed happily. Her eyes fluttered closed, but the contented smile never faded, even as she drifted towards sleep.
 
“I love you, William,” she whispered in a sleepy voice, giving his hand a squeeze.
 
**~**
 
Spike turned on his side and cuddled against the undulating wall of the demon-octopus’ stomach. The acidic bile that it secreted seared his face and lips, producing angry, red craters in his flesh, but he didn’t notice. He was far, far away from there.
 
“And I love you, Avengelyne,” he murmured, nuzzling against the nape of his angel’s neck, as his own eyes drooped and contented exhaustion overtook them both.
 
 **~**

Historical Trivia:
A Knocker-up was a profession in England and Ireland that started during and lasted well into the Industrial Revolution, before alarm clocks were affordable or reliable. A knocker-up’s job was to rouse sleeping people so they could get to work on time. The knocker-up often used a long and light stick (often bamboo) to reach windows on higher floors. In return, the knocker-up would be paid a few pence a week for this job. The knocker-up would not leave a client’s window until they were assured the client had been awoken. This all leads to the obvious question: who knocks up the knocker-up?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocker-up

 **~**

{{  Click here to hear Dancing in the Moonlight, King Harvest  on YouTube  }}

We get it on most every night
When that moon is big and bright
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

Everybody here is out of sight
They don't bark and they don't bite
They keep things loose, they keep it tight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

Dancing in the moonlight
Everybody's feeling warm and bright
It's such a fine and natural sight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

We like our fun and we never fight
You can't dance and stay uptight
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody was dancing in the moonlight

Dancing in the moonlight
Everybody's feeling warm and bright
It's such a fine and natural sight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

We get it on most every night
And when that moon is big and bright
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

Dancing in the moonlight
Everybody's feeling warm and bright
It's such a fine and natural sight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight
End Notes:
Oh no, poor Spike! They obviously haven't gotten him out of the demon octopus yet. Next we'll find out how the Scoobies, and the Weckerly children, including Annie, are doing back in Sunnydale. Will they be able to capture the demon and create an antidote for Buffy? Will Buffy fight the 'cure' to stay with William and the idyllic life they've conjured to escape their pain, both physical and mental? I hope you've had a nice break from the angst and have re-stocked your tissue supply ... :O
Without You by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
The Scoobies struggle to capture the Glargabullgashmanick demon to so they can brew the cure for the comatose Slayer. What will be conjured in her idyllic world when it’s finally administered?
**~**
You knew it was coming - for those who wanted a warning, the angst will return during this chapter...
**~**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Monday, May 2nd, 2011, 11am, Sunnydale, Unexpected Universe:
 
Xander sighed as he folded up copies of all the discharge papers he’d just signed and stuffed them into his back pocket. Annie was being sent home from the hospital today. With both of her parents unavailable, the task fell to him. Buffy and Spike had long ago given him and Anya medical Power of Attorney for all the Weckerly kids. Heck, he’d had the one for Annie since she was four years old, when Buffy and Spike had entrusted him and Anya with their only child while they battled The First Evil. This was the first time he’d actually had to use it.
 
Xander put on his most enthusiastic look and entered his niece’s hospital room. “Today’s the big day!” he called brightly as he strode in, rubbing his hands together as if in anticipation of something truly wonderful.
 
Annie rolled her eyes. It was her new favorite activity. “Whatever,” she grumbled, never looking at Xander.

 

“Aww, c’mon, Doodlebug,” Xander cajoled. “It’s gonna be so much better at home. You’ll have your brother and sisters and JJ to annoy you all the time and Miss Kitty to hog the bed …” he began.
 
“There’s plenty of bed now. I only need half of it,” she reminded him tersely. “Miss Kitty could bring all her friends and all their friends and I’d still have plenty of room.”
 
Xander sighed and dropped the faux enthusiasm. “Annie, I know …” Xander stopped. “Actually, that’s not true. I have no idea how you must feel. I can try to imagine it, but, really, no one can that hasn’t been there. But, you’ve got to try and find the silver lining, honey.”
 
Annie snorted and finally looked at him. “Please show it to me. Start with how I can still dance in a wheelchair and how great I’ll look rolling down the aisle as a bridesmaid at my friend’s wedding … ‘cos I’ll never be the bride, and how much money Mom can save since I don’t need shoes anymore, and how I don’t have to worry about skinning my knees if I fall, and …”
 
“Fine … you’re right,” Xander interrupted her rant, holding his hands up as a sign of surrender. “Maybe there isn’t any silver in the lining, but it’s not all black, either. You’re still beautiful, you’re still smart as a whip, your family loves you with all their hearts … your mom and dad love you more than life…”
 
“Oh, yeah … my mom, who I put into a coma, and my dad, who a big sea monster swallowed. I’m not only a cripple, I’m practically an orphan, too.”
 
“You didn’t put your mom into a coma,” Xander assured her – again. “She got attacked by a demon and it injected her with a poison. We’re working on it. We’ll get her back. Trust me: that was not your fault. And Willow, Bess, and Dead Boy are gonna get your dad back. They’re almost ready to try her ‘hocus-pocus, conjure Casper, and trap the monster’ spell.
 
“Annie, I know you’re scared,” Xander continued.
 
“I’m not scared. Didn’t Mom tell you? I’m brave … like the Brave Little Toaster,” she argued. Annie clenched her jaw and blinked back her tears, adding, “Bitty-Buffy,” in a quivering voice.
 
“Oh, Doodlebug,” Xander sighed, moving over to her and pulling her into a hug. “It’s ok to be scared. But everything will work out – you’ll see. I know it looks bad now, but we’ve gotten through bad things before. We all love you and we’ll all help you.”

 

Annie’s tears turned to sobs as she clung to him. “I’m so scared. What am I supposed to do now? Who am I?”
 
“You’re a beautiful, strong, smart, funny, sweet girl with her whole life ahead of her,” Xander told her. “What we do now is go home and take one step at a … uhhh…” Xander swallowed hard. Oops.
 
Annie actually started to laugh through her tears. Her chin quivered and tears flowed and she laughed against his shoulder. Finally she pulled back and looked at him. “Maybe we should take one day at a time, instead.”
 
Xander gave her a smile and nodded. “See? I told you – smart girl.”

**~**
 
At the mansion, Annie was swamped with hugs from her siblings. They had made a huge sign in her favorite colors, pink and purple, that said, ‘Welcome Home Annie!’ and hung it up in the great room. Anya made a French Silk pie for the occasion, one of Annie’s favorites. Annie’d had a few lessons with the wheelchair, but it was still hard to maneuver around the furniture, so the other children helped her with it. There had been a small glimmer of … normalcy to the afternoon at home. Apart from having to be carried up and down the stairs and pushed around in the wheelchair – the rest felt like a typical day. They played video games, watched some TV, then she helped Dani with her homework, and helped Tara feed MacKenzie. They'd talked about what they were doing to fix her mom, and Willow and Bess had called and told her what they were planning to do to get her dad back. They’d played with Angelpie and Miss Kitty and had dinner in the kitchen … just like everything was fine. Annie was starting to think that perhaps there was some kind of lining in the cloud – not silver, but maybe nickel or copper.

Until that night.
 
Alone in her room, lying in her half-empty bed with Miss Kitty, Annie looked around at the posters on her walls. Two walls were covered with places she’d dreamt of going one day, landmarks she’d wanted to see: the Taj Mahal, the Great Wall of China, the Colosseum in Rome, the Cathedral of St. Basil in Moscow, Stonehenge, Manchu Picchu, the pyramids in Egypt, the Eiffel Tower. The other two walls were covered with posters of ballet dancers from world-renowned companies in a variety of ballets, including the newest one her parents had brought back from London of the London Ballet’s production of ‘The Nutcracker’.

 

Annie tossed her covers off and pushed herself up to sitting, leaning her back against the wall behind her. She looked down at the nubs that used to be her legs and up at the dreams that lined her bedroom. Her eyes focused on the ballerina in the poster from London. The dancer playing Clara held a perfect poise en pointe – frozen in time by the photographer. Her legs were strong – long and lithe and … whole.
 
Annie’s emotions turned and dove down like runaway rollercoaster, slamming headlong into absolute fury. She reached up and ripped the posters down that were nearest her – the Eiffel Tower and Stonehenge were the first to go, followed quickly by ‘Swan Lake’, ‘Romeo and Juliet’, and ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’. She began to cry and scream as she ripped the shiny paper of the posters into shreds – littering her floor with the remnants of her dreams.

 

When there were no more that she could reach from where she sat at the head of the bed, she used her arms to pull herself down to the foot of the bed and snatched the beautiful poster Buffy and Spike had brought her of ‘The Nutcracker’ down from the wall, crumpling and tearing it into tiny pieces before moving on to the Taj Mahal and the Great Wall of China.
 
Miss Kitty screeched and dove for cover under the bed, trying to get away from the wild girl. Annie leaned over the edge of the bed as far as she could to reach the pyramids in Egypt. She’d no sooner grabbed the corner of the poster with her right hand than she lost her balance and tumbled down to the floor. She was still on the floor, crying, screaming, and ripping the poster into shreds when Tara rushed into her room and Miss Kitty scrambled out.
 
“Annie! What happened?” the witch asked in a rush before taking in the whole scene.
 
“It’s over! It’s just … over! All this is gone! It’s just … just rubbish now!” Annie shrieked, using one of her father’s terms. She continued rolling around on the floor, picking up the larger pieces of paper and ripping them even smaller as tears flowed like rivers down her face.
 
“Annie, stop!” Tara cried, dropping down onto the floor with her and pulling the distraught girl into a hug.
 
“It’s all over. I’ll never …” Annie started hyperventilating as she sobbed in Tara’s arms. “Please fix it … please … somebody … fix … it,” Annie begged between shuddering breaths. “Mama … please tell … Mama … or Papa … please … they have to … fix it. Please … I need … my legs. Can’t … you … please … God … please.”
 
“Oh, baby girl,” Tara sighed, stroking her long hair and rocking her, trying to soothe her. “I’m so sorry.”
 
Annie cried against her. Annie’s world felt like it had been put through a giant paper shredder and no one seemed to know how to put all the pieces back together, least of all her.
  
(Two days later) Wednesday, May 4th, 2011, early evening, Sunnydale, Unexpected Universe:
 
Tara uncurled from the soft, overstuffed chair near the fireplace when she heard a commotion in the basement. She rubbed her tired, bloodshot eyes and rose to her feet stiffly. It had been five days since the attack on Buffy in the basement, five days of Tara trying to keep the Weckerly children from falling completely apart. Their father was still missing and now their mother was unconscious nearly all the time.
 
Buffy would wake periodically, disoriented and confused. When she realized where she was, the Slayer would start to physically tremble with terror. She’d often simply cower in the corner of her room, refusing to come out even to see her children, muttering that it was all a dream, a horrible dream. Tara had coaxed her into eating and drinking during those brief periods of wakefulness, but Buffy couldn’t fully escape the hallucinations brought on by the Glargabullgashmanick demon’s poison, which were apparently making her believe that nothing here was real.
 
Annie’s breakdown on Monday had launched the girl into an even deeper, more morose depression, and that worried Tara. Annie seemed to have expelled every bit of anger from her soul in that one tirade, leaving nothing but hopelessness in its wake. Tara expected the girl’s anger to pass with time, but Annie seemed to have retreated back to self-pity rather than moving forward through the resentment to resolve. Annie, Tara knew, was just as frightened about her parents’ welfare as Dani and Billy, but with the added burden of her injuries weighing on her heart. Not even Clem coming and doing his silly ‘magic’ tricks or Troy bringing her a large bouquet of chocolate roses had any effect on Annie’s dejected mood. Her friend Janice couldn’t even lighten Annie’s spirits by bringing her a huge platter of chocolate chip cookies that she and her mother had made from scratch.
 
Out at sea, Willow, Bess, and Angel were scheduled to try the Casper lure on the demon sea monster tonight. If all went well, they should intercept the creature’s path just an hour or so after sunset. Tara hoped to hear good news on that by morning. Perhaps with Spike home, Annie would be able to begin to move forward again.
 
Faith, Giles, and Xander had started hunting for the unpronounceable demon on Saturday night, as soon as Tara identified it in the demon database. The creature proved elusive, however, moving around too much for even a locator spell to be of much use. They checked all the typical demon haunts, even pressured Willy for info, but came up empty. It would’ve been much easier with a vampire, who could’ve tracked its scent – but all their ‘blood hounds’ were otherwise occupied. Finally, Clem heard about their problem and volunteered to help them. He had a few tricks up his sleeve … or tucked in the folds of his skin and hidden behind his red eyes, as it were. He didn’t show his supernatural skills often. He was born a demon, but he didn’t like to let that define him.
 
Tara had just started towards the basement door when it swung open and three mud-covered men emerged into the great room. Or, more accurately, two men and one demon.

 

“Oh my goodness! What happened?” she asked as she started moving more quickly towards Clem, Giles, and Xander.
 
“Clem was able to track it,” Giles replied, wiping at the muddy water that was dripping from his hair and running into his eyes.
 
“Did you know Clem has Teletubby antennas?!” Xander interjected, swirling his fingers around in front of his face and flinging mud in all directions.
 
Giles and Tara just looked at him blankly. “Not the point,” Xander mumbled, dropping his hands.
 
“Unfortunately, it was in the reservoir … hiding in the muck on the north end,” Giles continued, ignoring Xander.
 
“Soooo … did you get it?” Tara wondered as she headed for the bathroom to get the guys some towels.
 
“We got it,” Xander answered and Clem cleared his throat loudly.
 
Xander rolled his eyes. “Fine … Clem finally got it – but we sacrificed our bodies as a diversion.”
 
“I’m a lover, not a fighter,” Clem explained with a shrug. Muck dripped from the flaps of his skin when he moved, leaving more puddles of brown sludge on the tile floor that Tara had just mopped less than an hour ago.

 

“But I was able to bonk it on the head while it was stomping you two into the mud. Just lucky I brought that baseball bat – and you laughed at my weapon of choice,” he chastised, looking at Giles. “Baseball bats are classic. Didn’t see that fancy tranq gun you brought doing anything but making it madder.”
 
Giles rolled his eyes. “Well, regardless of the details, we have it secured in the basement,” Giles summarized, reaching for one of the towels that Tara brought them.
 
Tara sighed as she handed them the towels, her eyes drawn to the dirt that covered her clean floor. Who knew demon fighting required so much housework? How did Buffy do this day after day, year after year?
 
“I’ll just get cleaned up then I’ll help you extract the poison so we can brew the antidote,” Giles offered.
 
“Ok, but we need to hurry. I think she’s getting worse,” Tara admitted. “Buffy hasn’t woken up at all in over fifteen hours.”
 
**~** 
Meanwhile, in Buffy's Hallucination World:

On Monday, a couple of days after the party, when Elizabeth and William came downstairs for breakfast, there was an excited, joyous atmosphere in the parlour. Cassandra and Nellie, along with Anne and Bess, were gathered around Theresa and everyone was grinning and laughing. “What’s going on?” Buffy asked when she got near the group.
 
Cassandra turned to her with wide, excited eyes. “Tre-sa’s in the puddin’ club!” she proclaimed enthusiastically.
 
Buffy smiled and raised her brows. “Oh … is that like the ‘Cheese of the Month’ club? I thought about joining one of those once.”
 
William gave his wife an amused smile, then turned to Theresa. “That’s wonderful news. When is the baby due?”

 

“Baby?!” Buffy exclaimed in surprise, looking at Cassandra. “Why didn’t you say she was having a baby!?” she chastised the girl.
 
“But … I did, milady,” the nursemaid replied with confusion.
 
“Oh! That’s so wonderful!!” Buffy gushed, ignoring Cassandra and turning to the mother-to-be. “It is wonderful … right?”
 
Theresa smiled and nodded, unconsciously running her hands over her still flat abdomen, then answered William’s question, “I ‘aven’t been to the midwife yet, but I reckon it’ll come in October or thereabouts. Been praying for a child for ages! Had nearly given up, we had.”
 
“Congratulations!” Buffy exclaimed, pushing past Cassandra and pulling Theresa into an unexpected hug. When Buffy released her, she began talking quickly, giving orders to no one in particular. “We need to get you to the doctor and make sure everything’s alright and vitamins … do they sell vitamins? Never mind, I’ll check at the drug … err … apothecary. You need to drink lots of milk and get plenty of protein and fresh vegetables – do you eat plenty of meat and vegetables … green vegetables, I mean – not just potatoes?” Buffy rambled, looking at Theresa.
 
Before the woman could answer, Buffy turned her attention to William. “We need to hire someone to help her – she can’t be lugging those rugs in and out and whacking them, or doing the laundry, or carrying firewood. You need to put an ad in or … call an agency or something and get someone here to help her,” she instructed her husband. “Oh! I can’t wait to go shopping! We’ll get some cute little outfits and … oh – a pram! And … well, whatever you need, we’ll get it. Won’t we William?” Buffy beamed at her husband and finally stopped talking.
 
William pursed his lips to keep from laughing aloud at her enthusiasm, then finally nodded his agreement. “Whatever you say, dear.”
 
Theresa shifted nervously, her face tinged pink with embarrassment behind her dark freckles. “I assure you, ma’am … that’s quite unnecessary. I’ll need no ‘elp with the work – I’m perfectly capable and …”
 
Buffy didn’t seem to hear her. She gave Theresa another quick, excited hug. “Oh! It’s gonna great! I love shopping! And, after the baby arrives, if you want to keep working, you bring him … or her, to work with you. It won’t be any trouble at all!”
 
Theresa looked pleadingly at William for assistance, but he simply shrugged. There was no sense telling his wife that employers weren’t, as a rule, that philanthropic towards the household help. Telling his wife that Theresa’s ‘condition’ was really none of their concern would’ve been akin to telling a leopard to change its spots: it would’ve been an exercise in futility, and would likely result in getting your head bitten off.

 
**~**
 
Later that day, Anne and Bess, along with Buffy, who was pushing the double pram that held William and Wanda, breezed in the front door of the Weckerly home on Macaulay Road. It had been a gloriously sunny afternoon and Buffy had taken all the children for a walk around the Common while William was at work. Of course, the walk included a stop to see Wanda at the church, and a stop at the apothecary to check and see if they did have any vitamins for Theresa. Buffy looked at what they had, decided it was all ‘snake oil’, and told the pharmacist so in no uncertain terms. She decided she’d just have to make sure Theresa drank plenty of milk and ate a well-rounded diet – not just bangers and mash. After the apothecary, they had made the mandatory visit to the hokey-pokey man’s ice cream wagon. The old Italian vendor had remembered Anne and Bess from a couple of weeks ago and talked them into doing their funny dance for him again – and Buffy joined in.
 
It had been just the best day, beginning with Theresa’s news and lasting all through the afternoon walk, and they had completely lost track of time. By late afternoon, a fog had rolled in and covered the whole of London in a thick pea soup, but that didn’t dampen their spirits any. Buffy had planned to be home before William got in from university, but the large clock tower on the east end of the Common announced that they were about an hour late.
 
The euphoric mood they were all in died instantly when they entered the house.
 
Anne and Bess stopped short, just inside the door, their eyes wide with disbelief and horror, unable to completely fathom the scene in the front foyer. Buffy nearly ran over the girls with the pram as she closed the door behind them before turning around.
 
“Oh my God,” were the only words that could escape her throat before it completely closed up.
 
The entire foyer was red and glistening with blood. The walls, the floor, it even dripped from the ceiling. It looked like … paint; like someone had splashed gallons and gallons of red paint over the mahogany paneling, the hardwood floor, the Persian rug. But it didn’t smell like paint and Buffy knew immediately that it wasn’t.
 


Cassandra and Theresa were sitting on the floor like limp rag dolls, propped up against each other next to the wall facing the front door. Their dead, blank stares, gaping mouths, and blood-soaked clothing greeted Buffy and the children. It was a horrific scene; like something out of ‘The Texas Chainsaw Massacre’ – the 3-D version. Buffy tried to breathe, but there didn’t seem to be any air in the room. She starred at the bodies in disbelief – as if waiting for them to jump up and begin laughing, like it was some horrible practical joke. She actually looked around a moment, expecting Allen Funt to step out and say, ‘Smile! You’re on Candid Camera!’ Nothing like that happened.
 
After some moments, Buffy didn’t know how long, her eyes were drawn to their necks, which were ripped open. Vampire. Could all this blood be from just two people? Buffy’s heart, which she was sure had stopped beating a moment before, suddenly took off in a sprint in her chest. It thudded in her ears, and her whole body trembled with a rush of fear and adrenaline. For some time they all simply stood there, frozen, still unable to comprehend what they were seeing, as blood soaked into their shoes from the pool on the floor.
 
Buffy couldn’t see into the parlour, but she could hear someone moving around in there. Her heart fluttered wildly and then suddenly leapt into her throat. William. William would be in there … with the monster.
 
Buffy quickly opened the front door and pulled the pram back outside, then gathered the shell-shocked Bess and Anne in her arms and ushered them out, as well. Buffy fought her panic and blinked back tears as she hurried her children back out to the road in front of the house.
 
Theresa and Cassandra are dead. Dead. They’re dead. She kept thinking it over and over, trying to make it make sense. They couldn’t be dead! This wasn’t Sunnydale! There was no Hellmouth here! Theresa’s gonna have a baby – we’re gonna get someone in to help with the heavy lifting and … Cassandra – she’s so young! She’s really just a girl! Buffy could see them both in their finery, or well, Cassandra was actually in Buffy’s finery, but whatever, at William’s improper soiree. They were so happy – laughing and dancing, garnering so much joy from such a simple gathering. They had so many plans for their futures and now …
 
Buffy tried to focus. She couldn’t get mired down in what was already lost. She had to save William – she had to save her family. She took a deep breath, and willed the horror that waited inside the house out of her mind. She could do this. She could … she could be the Slayer.
 
Once she and the children were outside the front gate and on the footpath in front of the house, she stopped. “Anne. Listen to me now,” Buffy began, bending down to be at eye-level with her eldest daughter. “Anne!” Buffy exclaimed more sternly, shaking the girl by the shoulders to get her to focus.
 
When Anne finally blinked and looked at her, her mouth agape, Buffy continued, “Take the babies and Bess and go to the church. Go find Mrs. Weatherford. Tell her you need to stay there. Do you understand?”
 
When the girl just stared at her blankly, Buffy shook her again. “Anne! Do you understand?”
 
“Mrs. Weatherford … church,” Anne repeated finally, her voice detached, a million miles away.
 
“Right! Now go! Run as fast as you can!” Buffy admonished her.
 
“But … they’re … what …” Anne stammered out, looking back at the house. Then Anne’s eyes went wide, as if what she’d seen had finally sunk in, and fear clutched her heart. Her blue eyes were as large as saucers when they met Buffy’s. “Father!”
 
“I’ll get your father – I swear it, but you have to do this now. Go to the church. Do not come out until one of us comes for you. No one else. Don’t go with anyone else. Do you understand?”
 
Anne nodded slowly, looking down the foggy road that led to the Common, and Wanda and John’s church.
 
“Ok, run. Run as fast as you can!” Buffy instructed again.
 
Anne nodded again, then grabbed her little sister’s hand and began pushing the pram with the other, heading down the footpath towards the church. Buffy started back toward the front door, still watching the girls move away. Buffy picked up a small dead tree limb off the lawn and broke the weakest parts off, leaving a fairly sturdy, stake-like piece. She looked back one more time at the girls, who were now past the neighbor’s house and well on their way to safety. She watched them another few seconds until they disappeared from view, engulfed by the thick fog. Her heart ached; she wanted to go after them, make sure they were safely ensconced in the church, but there was no time. William needed her now, or at least she prayed that he still needed her.
 
The Slayer, without Slayer strength, took a deep breath, gathered her wits, and charged in through the front door.
 
Buffy didn’t look at the two dead girls, who she knew had been purposely posed there to greet her; she couldn’t let herself be distracted by the sorrow that shot into her heart for them. She had to find William. She had to save William.
 
Buffy stopped at the entrance of the parlour to survey the situation. She didn’t have much time to take it in: the large, dark vampire sensed her immediately. He had been feeding from Nellie, his fangs buried deep into her neck as the elderly cook struggled ineffectually against his superior strength. The monster turned around when Buffy entered the room and tossed the woman aside to face the newcomer.
 
“Angel!” Buffy exclaimed in shock before her throat tightened again. She scanned the room for Dru and Darla, but saw neither. William was off to one side, half-hidden behind the settee, crumpled on the floor near one wall. From what she could see, he was bloody and appeared to have been beaten badly, probably in a vain attempt to defend the household. Buffy couldn’t tell if he was still alive or not.
 
“Truth be told, lass, the name’s Angelus … but m’ heart is dearly touched knowin’ a lovely maiden such as yourself has heard tell o’ me,” the vampire replied in his native Irish brogue, holding a hand over his unbeating heart.

 

“You’ll make a lovely addition to the family,” Angelus continued as he stalked towards Buffy. “As I knew you would the first I laid eyes on you. And your blood …mmmmm,” he moaned, running his hand down from his heart to his stomach and then lower. “… Just as fiery and breathtakin’ as your tresses.”
 
Buffy didn’t know what he was talking about. When had Angelus, this Angelus, tasted her blood? Then it dawned on her. William had told her about the ‘queer Irishman’ that helped him get her home after she’d cut her arm. Why would William think Angel was gay?
 
From the side of the room, William moaned and tried to roll onto his back, drawing Angelus’ attention. Relief flooded Buffy’s heart. William was alive! But she couldn’t dwell on it … she had to get Angelus out of here and away from her husband.
 
Buffy backed up a step as the vampire moved toward her, then another step … back into the foyer, away from William.
 
“Did ya enjoy the welcomin’ party, then?” Angelus taunted her as he followed her out of the parlour.
 
“It was a bit lifeless. I’m more of a balloons and streamers kinda girl,” Buffy quipped darkly. Her heart raced in her chest, butterflies fluttered in her stomach, and her mind whirled. Except in her dreams, she hadn’t faced a demon in over a year. And she’d never faced one without her Slayer strength. She needed to be smart in this, use her guile and experience, not brute force.
 
“Ahhh, I’ll keep a’ mind of that for next time, a ghrá. Dru always enjoys decoratin’ with streamers, as well. Fashions ‘em out of viscera. You two will get on famously,” Angelus continued, still stalking towards her.
 
Buffy snorted derisively and kept backing up. “Dru’s a fucking lunatic.”
 
Angelus was unfazed. He shrugged and nodded. “Too true … but a lovely child, nonetheless.”
 
Buffy studied Angelus’ face as she moved backwards. A small sense of satisfaction came over her when she noticed a purple bruise and red burn on his cheek the size and shape of Theresa’s clothes iron. The woman had fought back and landed at least one solid blow. If the maid could do that, then Buffy could dust him, she assured herself.
 
Buffy was near the front door now; she turned quickly and flung the door open, hoping Angelus would chase her out of the house and into the street – away from William. But he was too fast for her; the doorknob was ripped out of her hand and the door slammed shut before she could even start through it.
 
Angelus grabbed her around the shoulders, lifted her up, and shook her like a toy. The make-shift stake in her hand clattered to the floor and rolled away as he shook her so violently Buffy thought her teeth would rattle out of her head. The Slayer tried to keep her composure, but panic was rising in her throat like bile. She never realized how much stronger a vampire was than a regular human … especially a diminutive, young Victorian woman who hadn’t even whacked a rug.
 
Angelus stopped shaking her, but continued to hold her up off the ground, her face eye-level with his. “Now, where would ye be goin’, my lovely, red rose? Your party’s here…with me.”
 
“Party this,” Buffy growled as she kicked with all her strength, and hit Angelus firmly in the balls.
 
**~**


 
Xander ‘ooomphed’ and nearly dropped the mug that contained the rest of the antidote. He reached out and plopped it down heavily on the bedside table as he clutched at his groin. He clinched his eyes closed to keep his eyeballs from exploding out of their sockets as he tried to breathe through the pain.
 
“Buffy!” Tara exclaimed in surprise as she tried to hold the Slayer back away from Xander. “It’s alright, it’s just us! We’re trying to help!”
 
**~**
 
Angelus dropped his ‘red rose’ down into the pool of blood that soaked the floor below them. He clutched at his groin as he bent forward and growled in pain and anger. Buffy scrambled back to her feet, slipping and sliding in the slick, red layer of hemoglobin on the floor. She looked frantically around the floor for the stake, but couldn’t find it. She gave up quickly, lest she lose the advantage, and instead clasped her hands together like a maul and came down on the back of the vampire’s neck with her fists while lifting up with her knee to his face. Angelus roared in pain as blood spurted from his nose, but it wasn’t enough to knock him down or out.
 
**~**
 
Tara was unable to hold Buffy and the Slayer pounced on Xander, slamming down on his neck with her fists and cracking his nose with her knee. The injured man stumbled backwards. Blood spurted from his nose, covering the bed and Buffy in a spray of crimson. His head was spinning and he wasn’t certain, but thought she might’ve cracked a vertebra in his neck.
 
**~**
 
Driven by blind fury, Angelus stood up straight, picked her up savagely, and slammed her against the wall with all his strength. Buffy’s head cracked against the plaster and all the air was knocked from her lungs when she hit. It felt as if she’d been fired from a cannon, straight into the solid wall. She slid down the wall, half-unconscious, and landed atop the bloody, cold bodies of Cassandra and Theresa.

 

“Fancy yourself a cheeky one, then, aye? Your first lesson, a ghrá,” the vampire growled. “Defyin’ me is painful. Maybe you fancy the pain … is that it, my little rose? All the better, then.”
 
Buffy was covered in blood and a lot of it was her own. Her head was spinning and foggy and she couldn’t find any air, no matter how deeply she tried to breathe. She disentangled herself from the two dead women as the vampire talked. She couldn’t really hear what he was saying … or actually she could, but his words seemed slurred. Maybe it was her hearing that was slurred. She started to crawl away on hands and knees; she didn’t even know where she was going, just away. She still had it in her mind that she needed to get him away – away from William. Buffy didn’t get far before she felt a boot kick her in the ribs. When she fell down flat on the floor, the boot came down again on her back, her neck, and her head in rapid succession.
 
Buffy ‘ooomphed’ and moaned as pain shot out in every direction, but she tried to keep crawling. She couldn’t see anything … the whole world was spinning out of control.
 
“Oooo … moan for me, a ghrá. You do like it rough, don’t ya, lass?” Angelus continued taunting as he beat her. “So do I.”
 
**~**
 
“Buffy! Stop!” Tara screamed at her as she tried to keep the Slayer away from Xander, who had stumbled out into the hallway now. Giles and Clem rushed in past the downed carpenter to help.
 
“Get the rest of the antidote!” Tara yelled at Giles, inclining her head towards the bedside table.
 
Finally, Xander regained some of his composure and rejoined the melee. His head was still spinning and he was pretty sure he’d never father any more children. On the bright side, he could stop trying to figure out how to pull his bottom lip up over his head, which Anya insisted he must do before she’d consider getting pregnant again. With Tara, Xander, and Clem holding her down, Giles pinched his Slayer’s nose closed and poured the rest of the antidote in Buffy’s mouth. Unable to breathe, Buffy choked and gagged; she spit some of it out, but most of the rest of the medicine was, thankfully, swallowed.
 
**~**
 
Angelus flipped the redhead over and straddled her hips with his. Buffy tried to kick, to push him off, but she didn’t even have her full human strength any longer. She was exhausted and pain shot through her whole body with every movement.
 
“I’ll make it good for you, my little rose,” Angelus purred against her neck as he tilted her head to the side. “I’ll make it burn. Go ahead and scream, a ghrá … You’ll soon find out, it’s all the better when they scream.”
 
Buffy knew what was happening, but it was like she was seeing it from outside herself, as if she had no control over her own body. Angelus dropped his fangs to her neck and bit down savagely. She felt blood flood her throat and tried to spit it out, but didn’t have the strength – she had to swallow it. Her hands flailed out around her, searching for something – anything to use against him … but she could find nothing.
 
She felt the life draining out of her. Her limbs were like lead, and she could feel her heartbeat slowing in her chest. Every second that passed, every drop that the vampire sucked from her, slowed her heart that much more.
 
Then, suddenly, everything went quiet and still. The weight of Angelus atop her was gone. She thought for certain she was dead. She tried to open her eyes to check. Would she be in limbo? Oh God, she hoped not. She didn’t have the strength to fight those giant spiders just now.
 
“Dear God, please no! Avengelyne? Avengelyne, can you hear me?” William pleaded as he dropped to his knees next to her and drew her into his arms.
 
Buffy blinked her eyes open and took a breath. Dusty grit filled her eyes and nose; she coughed blood out of her throat as tears leaked from her eyes. “William?” she croaked out past the blood, spattering it on him as she spoke.
 
She felt him lay her back down gently. She could feel the blood still running warm down the side of her neck. It joined the pool of coagulated blood on the floor beneath her, and soaked back up into the layers and layers of fabric she was clothed in. William took her hand in his and she was finally able to blink the dust from her eyes so she could see.
 
“Avengelyne … are you … what should I do?” he asked softly. Fear clouded his eyes. His face and body were bruised and bloodied from the beating he’d taken from Angelus, but he would survive. He was deathly afraid the same was not true for the love of his life.
 
“William,” she moaned again, trying to reach up to touch his face. Her arm wouldn’t move; it felt like the blood on the floor had turned to glue and was holding her in place.
 
William lifted the hand he was holding up to his face, kissed her bloody fingers gently, and then pressed her palm against his cheek. He closed his eyes and leaned into her soft touch. Tears leaked from his eyes and his whole body quivered with fear. When he looked into her eyes, his chest constricted; he was certain his heart had stopped beating in that moment. His love’s eyes were dull, lifeless orbs; there was none of her normal light in them, no fire. He’d seen that look before, just before his mother had passed. The eyes were the windows to the soul, and he could see that her soul was already taking its leave of her mortal body.
 
“You … dusted … him … Angel,” Buffy stuttered out. Blood splattered from her lips when she spoke, adding more coppery, red paint to the scene.
 
“Yes,” William affirmed, picking up the make-shift stake that Buffy had dropped earlier and showing it to her. “You told me of such animals … but I never … I could never fathom them. I thought it was a fanciful ghost story, an … exaggeration.
 
“Hold on, my darling. Please hold on. The doctor will be here,” he assured her.
 
‘No doctor. Too late …” Buffy told him solemnly, her voice a hoarse whisper. She could feel her heart slowing. It was taking every ounce of strength she had to just keep her eyes open and choke out a few words.
 
“No … no!” William admonished her as he kissed her palm gently. “You can’t leave me. Please, Avengelyne, fight, my darling … I’m begging you.”
 
**~**
 
“Dusted … him … Angel,” Buffy murmured as her friends held her down, although her flailing had finally stopped.

 

“No, Buffy – Angel’s not dusted,” Giles assured her. “He’s perfectly fine – he’s looking for Spike with Bess.
 
“Buffy? Can you hear me?” Giles asked her after a few more moments. “It’s Giles.”
 
“Too late…” Buffy whispered.
 
“No, Buffy – it’s not too late,” Giles assured her. “It will be alright. Can you open your eyes?”
 
“Buffy,” Tara tried, speaking gently. “We need you to fight. Your family needs you. Annie, Dani, Billy, MacKenzie … they need you, Buffy.”
 
Buffy shook her head and tried to clear the fog from her brain – it was so thick, just like the fog that had engulfed London. Everything was so muddled. “William…”
 
“Yes, Buffy,” Tara continued. “William needs you too. We all need you.”
 
**~**
 
Tears leaked from Buffy’s eyes as her two worlds collided. Annie and Anne, Dani and Bess, Billy and William, Jr., MacKenzie and Wanda … Spike and William. Their faces all swirled around in her mind, meshing, then unraveling, turning in dizzying circles, all calling to her. Then they were all reaching for her and she felt like she was the rope in a desperate tug-of-war. Two families, two worlds, were pulling at her soul, stretching it across time, trying to claim it for their own.
 
She’d been safe and happy as Avengelyne … until Angelus showed up. Then she couldn’t protect them – she couldn’t fight him, she was just a woman. A normal woman in a normal life. But William needed her, she knew … they all needed her there. If she left what would happen to Bess? What of William, Jr. and the war? And her tenderhearted, sweet husband – what would become of him?
 
Then Spike was there crashing into her mind’s eye. Lost and suffering the never-ending torture in the belly of the demon sea monster. She could feel him calling for her, reaching out for her, too. He needed her to find him, to save him. And Annie. Oh, God Annie! Her beautiful, once-happy daughter was now broken, mangled, and bitter. Annie needed her too.
 
How could she choose? How could she help one and let the other go? She hadn’t protected any of them and now they all called to her, their voices ringing like a doleful chorus in her mind. Mama! Buffy! Avengelyne! Elizabeth!  Mother! Mom!
 
She felt like she was being torn apart from the inside. Every cell of her body, every drop of blood in her veins, every molecule, every microscopic strand of DNA was being ripped painfully apart. Her whole being was flooded with guilt and sorrow, right down to the very bottom of her soul and it hurt worse than anything she'd ever felt before.
 
**~**
 
“William …”
 
“Save your strength, darling,” William admonished her, dropping his face down and pressing his cheek against hers. Blood now covered them both and it stabbed a new pain into William’s heart because he could not smell the perfume that was his wife – only the metallic tang of the blood.
 
“Listen … remember … promise,” Buffy continued, trying to lift her head to make sure he could hear.
 
“Avengelyne … please. You must be still,” William tried, but Buffy shook her head adamantly against his.
 
“William … remember … war,” Buffy stammered out, blood flooding out of her mouth with the words.
 
“I needn’t remember, darling. You will be here to…”
 
“NO!” Buffy choked out with strength she didn’t know she had. “Promise.”

 

William clenched his jaw and swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat. “Yes, darling, I remember. I promise to keep William out of the war,” her husband assured her, lifting up so she could see his face. Buffy nodded, her eyes fell closed, and the shallow rise of her chest stopped completely.
 
William’s chest tightened as he tried to breathe, but there was no room in his chest for oxygen, it was filled with fear and grief and heartbreak the likes of which he’d never known before. Tears streamed down his face, mixed with his blood, and flowed like red rivers off his chin. His heartache dripped from his face onto his wife's cheeks and mingled with hers, streaking Buffy’s face with a heart-rending flood of sorrow.
 
“Avengelyne … Dear God, no…”
 
Suddenly Buffy coughed and blood sputtered from her lips. Her chest heaved as she inhaled sharply. William made a futile attempt to wipe the blood away with his right hand, but they were both bathed in it now. He clung to her small hand with his left, as if trying to hold her here, to pull her soul back into her body. His mind raced, sending prayer after prayer up to heaven for God to spare her … to spare him, for he was certain he would die without her.
 
“Bess…” Buffy continued. “Don’t let … them …” Buffy took several deep breaths and tried again to open her eyes. After a monumental effort, her lids finally fluttered open and she saw William above her. She tried to smile, but couldn’t quite remember how. She swallowed the blood in her throat as she looked up at him. “… Council … don’t let them take … Bess. Promise.”
 
“No darling, I won’t. I won’t let anyone harm Bess. I promise. But you must promise … you must promise to fight now, my love. I can’t … I can’t do this without you,” William pleaded with her, his chin quivering in fear and anguish.
 
“You can…”
 
“No, no Avengelyne, I can not.”
 
“You’re … strong. Lion’s …” Buffy started coughing again, as what little blood was left in her ran down her windpipe into her lungs, drowning her.
 
“Shhhh …” William soothed her. “I do not have a lion’s heart. You are wrong on this. You … you are my heart. Please, my darling, please stay.”
 
“I love you, William, but … I can’t … stay,” Buffy whispered to him as tears streamed down her face. She finally found the strength to lift her other hand up and she touched his face for the last time. "I'm ... sorry."
 
“I love you … Elizabeth … please, God … please,” William prayed as her bloody hand fell slowly away from his face and the small spark of life that was left in her eyes faded to a dull, dark, blankness. William collapsed down on her now still chest. There was no heartbeat, no rise and fall of her breath. There was nothing. She was gone.
 
“Why, God … why?” he moaned as he sobbed against her. “Please wake up … please, please come back to me,” he begged. “I need you. I can’t live without you … Avengelyne … please.”
 
 **~**

{{  Click here to hear Without You by Air Supply  on YouTube  }}

No I can't forget this evening
Or your face as you were leaving
But I guess that's just the way the story goes
You always smile but in your eyes
Your sorrow shows, yes it shows

No I can't forget tomorrow
When I think of all my sorrows
When I had you there then I let you go
And now it's only fair that I should let you know
What you should know

I can't live, if living is without you
I can't give, I can't give anymore

I can't live, if living is without you
I can't give, I can't give anymore
End Notes:
More to come... Whoa! William dusted Angel! Can Buffy get past this and back to her original time travel plan back in the real world? Can Willow, Bess, and Angel rescue Spike from the octopus? How will Spike's muddled mind handle loosing Avengelyne? Is there anything anyone can do to help Annie? What else could possibly go wrong? We'll find out soon ...

Don't forget to vote for your favorite stories and authors in the SunnyD Memorial Fanfic Awards. The voting is open now. http://sunnydawards.dragonydreams.com/vote.html
Run by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
The angst continues. Buffy’s soul is being stretched across time by her own heart, fueled by the hallucinations of the ‘unpronounceable’ demon’s poison. Can she hold on to the reality of Sunnydale long enough to anchor herself here? Bess, Willow, and Angel are ready to execute Bess’ plan – can they kill the octopus and get Spike back?
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, final review, and the awesome song! Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011, Sunnydale, 10pm:
  
“Come back to me, Buffy,” Giles pleaded with her. “Your family needs you, Spike needs you … we all need you here.”
 
Buffy screamed out in anguish and tears streamed from her unseeing eyes. Her body convulsed, every muscle was pulled taut as a bowstring. It felt like her heart was being torn from her chest as her eyes fluttered closed on William’s grief-stricken face and everything went black for her. She could physically feel her spirit, her very soul, being stretched across time. Her soul felt as thin as phyllo dough as her spirit fought with itself, trying to figure out where it belonged. Which world was real? Which needed her the most? Where did she belong?

 

Amid the chaos, Angelpie sauntered into the bedroom. She strutted right through the mash of anxious humans who were struggling on the floor, and leaned her soft body up against the side of Buffy’s face. The kitten rubbed from Buffy’s jaw to the top of her head, curling her tail around the Slayer’s chin. Then Angelpie turned and repeated the gesture going the other way, purring in a low, comforting rumble against Buffy’s cheek.

 

Buffy could feel William’s hand caressing her cheek softly, but it suddenly became clear in her mind that William and that life, that family, weren’t real.  She grasped that with her logical mind, and yet her soul, her heart, longed to go back there. The part of her that was not logical, the part that held only her emotions, longed to be with him and escape the life of a Slayer. But there was no escape – even there the monsters had found her. Angelus had found her. She felt her soul starting to rip, to shred, and unravel as it was pulled to its breaking point and beyond.
 
Without warning, there was an audible ‘snap’ within her and all the pressure was released. The frantic hands which had been tugging at her from every direction stilled and dissipated like apparitions. No longer tethered to either reality, Buffy began to fall. She was plunging headfirst down into a deep, rock-filled gulch at an astonishing speed. At the last second, something grabbed her, stopping her just millimeters before she crashed against the jagged boulders at the bottom. Then she was being pulled back up, away from the danger – she was weightless, flying free for a few brief moments.
 
Her spirit, she realized, had chosen. A normal life married to a normal man with a normal family was not her Calling. As much as she loved William, Spike was her true match – her ultimate soul mate. She was the Slayer, and that life was where she belonged. They needed her here.
 
Buffy’s body finally began to relax, her taut muscles slackened, and her breathing started to return to normal.
 
“Buffy … are you with us?” Giles asked as he held her torso still, straddling her stomach to get as much leverage as he could against her superior strength.

 

Xander, Tara, and Clem were helping him, holding her arms and legs as the Watcher sat on her stomach, trying to hold her still and keep her from hurting anyone, including herself. When Buffy stopped pulling against them, Giles waved at the others to release their grips on her arms and legs. The other three cautiously pulled their hands away from her limbs and backed up a step.
 
Buffy blinked her eyes open and tried to get her gaze to focus. “Giles?” she croaked, her voice wavering, as if she hadn’t used it in many days.
 
Her Watcher smiled slightly and nodded. “Yes, it’s me Buffy – are … are you … errr … How are you feeling?”
 
Buffy shook her head slightly and looked around, trying to get her bearings. Angelpie continued rubbing against the Slayer’s face and head, purring loudly. Buffy took a few deep breaths and closed her eyes again. She’d never forget the look of desolation and heartbreak in William’s eyes if she lived to be a million. She fought the feeling of loss that threatened to overwhelm her; it was worse than that night in the Common, and it felt just as real.
 
She wiped at her eyes and swallowed her tears back as she tried to get her emotions under control. She had a job to do now. Everything was suddenly clear again, like a fog had lifted and the sun shone in on her beleaguered mind.  Annie. Spike. The promises. She could mourn her Victorian family later – now she needed to be Buffy the Vampire Slayer; not Elizabeth, not Avengelyne.
 
She took one more deep breath and opened her eyes again.
 
“I’d probably be better if you weren’t squashing my guts out,” she informed Giles as she looked into his worried eyes.
 
“I think she’s back,” Xander observed with relief and a hint of sarcasm as he wiped at his bloodied nose with the sleeve of his shirt.
 
“Are you quite alright?” Giles asked again as he stood up and stopped ‘squashing her guts out.’
 
Buffy sat up slowly and leaned against the bed that was next to her, gathering the kitten up and holding it to her chest as she did so. “Angelpie,” Buffy murmured to the kitten, savoring the softness of the purring fur-ball.
 
Bess’ little guardian angel seemed to soothe Buffy’s aching heart as she held it against her. She couldn’t explain the sense of calm that suddenly filled her. Her heart knew that she’d made the right decision, and the stabbing pain of loss faded to a dull ache. William and that life felt so real. Despite the calm confidence that she was where she was supposed to be, the old ‘Matrix’ question of ‘could dreams actually be real and could reality actually be a dream’ skittered through her mind.
 
Buffy looked down at her hands and arms, turning them over and back. There was no blood on them; there was no scar from the gash on her forearm. She pulled a handful of hair forward in front of her face – blonde, not red. That had all seemed so real. She was surprised to find no sign of it on her body at all.
 
“What … what happened?” she asked at length, looking up at Giles.
 
“Glargabullgashmanick,” Clem offered matter-of-factly, nodding confidently.

 

Buffy looked at him blankly for a second then narrowed her eyes. “What did you call me?”
 
“Not you, Buffy,” Giles intervened. “The demon that injected you with poison … Glar…gash … errr … well … Clem was simply answering your question.”
 
“Oh,” Buffy shrugged. “I knew that. How long was I … gone?” she wondered, looking at Giles and wiping at her damp eyes and nose with the back of her hand.
 
“Five days,” Giles informed her.
 
Buffy’s eyes went wide. “Five days!? Where’s Wil… Spike? Did Bess’ plan work?” she demanded, looking from one to the other of her friends as she sat the kitten down and pushed herself up off the floor.

 

“They haven’t tried it yet,” Tara answered her. “Tonight … hopefully tonight.”
 
Buffy nodded, biting down on her bottom lip. “And Annie … is she…?” Buffy continued, still looking at Tara.
 
“She’s home,” Tara began. “But she’s …”
 
“The same,” Giles picked up when Tara hesitated. “She’s quite worried about you. You collapsed in her arms – she thought … she thought perhaps it was her fault,” Giles divulged.
 
Buffy sighed and rubbed at her eyes as things started coming back to her. “Right … I remember now. That big ugly demon stabbed me in the arm and … I started hallucinating…”
 
“Glargabullgashmanick demon. They cause, woo-hoo, ca-ray-zeee hallucinations,” Clem agreed with a toothy smile that showed his fangs. “I dated one for a while and, let me tell you, she’d give you a poke then she’d really give you a poke and … uhh …”

 

Everyone was gawping at Clem with wide eyes. “Never mind,” he muttered, a tinge of pink staining his pasty cheeks.
 
“So, Gesundheit demon,” Buffy sighed. “We could bottle that stuff and sell it – it’s like a wild acid trip.”
 
Buffy’s eyes suddenly went wide and she looked up at Giles. “Not that I’ve ever done that! … I mean, I don’t know what an acid trip is like … I just … Spike told me about it.”
 
Giles rolled his eyes. “I believe we’ve had quite enough acid trips for a good while. May I suggest we simply slay it?”
 
Buffy smiled slightly and nodded. “I can support that plan.”
 
**~**
 
Buffy leaned against the cool tile of the shower and let the steaming hot water wash over her head and down her body. She could still feel, still smell, the blood on her – even though there hadn’t been any. She didn’t know how she’d ever get that smell, or the vision of it, out of her mind.


 
She let the water wash her tears away. She still felt like she’d let William down and it physically hurt her heart. “It wasn’t William,” Buffy admonished herself sternly, sounding more confident than she felt. “But it might’ve been Spike…” she muttered under her breath, the thought closing around her mind like a Venus Fly Trap around an unsuspecting house fly.
 
“Oh God, what if that was Spike!? What if that’s why it felt so real?” her words echoed coldly off the hard tile of the shower. The thought that it had actually been Spike there with her, drawn into her hallucination via the bond, just made her heart ache worse.
 
Buffy closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She concentrated hard on opening the bond with him, but not too much – just a sliver, just enough to see how he was. She didn’t need to be knocked out by the pain he was in – not now. She’d been out of it long enough, but she needed to know if that was him there with her.
 
Spike? she sent softly, her hands balled in fists, pressing against the tile, as she struggled to keep the bond only open a smidgen.
 
She could feel him reaching out for her, and her flesh began to burn, searing her skin. Buffy pulled back instantly, slamming the door closed. She pictured herself opening the link between them just a crack, as if she were a voyeur peeking in. The pain came back, but it was nothing more than a dull ache over her body.
 
She took a deep breath and tried again, William?
 
Who’s there!? Show yourself! William’s strained voice demanded back.
 
William, it’s Bu … Elizabeth. Are you alright?
 
Elizabeth? But … I … are you a … phantom? A specter? Your lips do not move, yet I can hear you clearly.
 
Buffy sighed and her chin dropped to her chest as her tears began anew. He had been there with her after all. The bond slipped open a little more, and Buffy began scratching at her burning skin.

 

Buffy took a deep, shuddering breath and gathered her resolve. William, listen now. Bess will be there soon to get you out. Everything will be alright.
 
Bess? Is she … the children! Where are the children? William exclaimed back to her and Buffy could almost see him jumping up from her side in the blood-soaked foyer to search for their children.
 
They’re safe. They’re with Wanda. William, listen to me. Bess and Angel will be there soon. Just hang on baby. It’s gonna be alright. Buffy’s chin quivered uncontrollably as she added, I promise.
 
Are you certain? They aren’t injured? he asked frantically, not able to really focus on what she was trying to tell him.
 
I’m sure, William, they’re fine.
 
Elizabeth, what shall I do? Can you … please come back to me. I need you, my love.
 
Just … just stay there, William. We’ll … we’ll be together again. Just stay there and wait for Bess and Angel. They’ll bring you to me, Buffy advised him as she struggled against the bond. It felt like Spike was trying to yank the door wide open between them, perhaps even tear the thin barrier down completely. As much as she wanted to comfort him, to go to him and help him, she just couldn’t go that far right now. She needed to stay conscious and be here in case Willow or Bess needed her to do something.
 
I have to go now, baby. But you’ll see me soon, ok? Buffy added quickly as she felt herself losing the battle between them. I love you more than you know.
 
Avengelyne! Wai…
 
Buffy had to slam the bond closed. She dropped down to the floor of the shower, exhausted from the battle of wills she’d just barely escaped from. Her heart raced, her chest heaved, and her skin bled from self-inflicted scratches and gouges.
 
“C’mon, Bess … get him out of there. Please get him out of there,” Buffy pleaded aloud. She sat there and tried to calm her breathing down to normal as she watched the red-stained water bounce off her skin, flow down the tiles, and into the drain. “Please work,” she murmured – it was a prayer.

 
**~**
 
After her shower, Tara let Buffy know that Willow had called and said the rendezvous with the demon was going to be later than they thought, but everything was still planned for tonight.
 
Buffy got dressed and checked on all the children. They were all sleeping – it was late, after eleven. She held MacKenzie for a long while, thinking the seven-month-old must be awfully confused lately about who the heck her mother is. Buffy watched the twins sleeping peacefully in their separate rooms: Billy with his Star Wars décor and bookshelves lined with books; Dani with her sports motif, and bookshelves filled with nothing but sports equipment and memorabilia.
 
The thought of leaving them again snaked around her heart and strangled it with icy fingers. Tears stung her eyes but she swallowed them back resolutely. She knew they were afraid, that they’d been without her and Spike too much over the last weeks, but their sister needed her to go away one more time.
 
Buffy closed Dani’s door softly and walked down the hall to Annie’s room. As light shone in from the hallway and illuminated her eldest daughter’s room, the strangle-hold around Buffy’s heart tightened. Buffy bit her bottom lip as she stepped in and looked around. Almost all the posters were gone off the walls – the only ones that remained were above the dresser on the other side of the room from Annie’s bed. They were the only ones that Annie hadn’t been able to reach in her fit of rage and anguish.

  

Annie’s bed had been shoved against one wall to make room for her wheelchair to maneuver. The cold, stark chair sat next to her bed. The metallic frame gleamed harshly in the light that drifted in from the hallway, a cruel reminder of Buffy’s failure. This, Buffy thought. This is why I have to go away again. I have to fix this.

“Mama?” Annie’s sleepy voice called from the bed. She sounded so small, like she was five or six, not twelve.
 
“Yeah, baby girl, it’s me,” Buffy assured her, moving further into the room and up to the bed.
 
“Mama – are you alright? We were so worried!” Annie exclaimed, suddenly coming fully awake. She pushed herself up to a sitting position in the bed, worry creasing her young face.
 
“I’m fine now, baby,” Buffy assured her. “I’m sorry I worried you. I’m sorry I wasn’t here for your homecoming,” she apologized as she sat down on the edge of the twin bed.
 
“I missed you so much,” Annie cried, reaching for her.
 
“Oh, sweet girl, I’m so sorry,” Buffy continued to apologize as she drew her daughter into a hug. “It wasn’t your fault – it was the demon. You know that, right?”

 

Annie nodded against her mother’s shoulder. “That’s what everyone said…”
 
Buffy pulled back and held Annie by the shoulders so she could look into her eyes. “But do you believe it?”
 
Annie gave a half-hearted eye roll and shrugged. “Yeah, I guess,” she sighed.
 
Buffy tilted her head and considered her. Their eldest daughter had been through so much hell in her short life; it really was a miracle she was as well adjusted as she was.
 
“Annie, I have to tell you something,” Buffy began in a serious tone. “I’m probably gonna have to go away again for a little while.”
 
“No! Mama, no!” Annie argued immediately, shaking her head adamantly, her eyes wide as saucers, full of fear.
 
“Honey, listen to me now,” Buffy continued, keeping her voice calm. “I’ll wait until your dad’s home, but I need to go back and try and fix some things.”
 
“Not back there! You can’t! Mama, please don’t go back there!” Annie begged her, tears glistening in her big, blue eyes.
 
“I have to. It’s the only way. I … made a promise and … I need to keep it,” Buffy told her. She purposely avoided saying that the most important promise she needed to keep was the promise to Annie.
 
Annie sat there shaking her head back and forth in disbelief as her tears began to leak from her eyes and roll down her face. “No, don’t … please Mama, don’t go back there!”
 
“If there was any other way…” Buffy began.
 
“Find another way!” Annie insisted, growing angry. “Does that Spike mean that much to you? More than us?! Do you love him more than you love Dad? Did you sleep with him!?” she asked, her eyes full of hurt and anger, her voice accusatory.
 
“Annie! No! Of course I didn’t sleep with him!” Buffy denied adamantly even though the guilt of the dreams she’d spent with him and Riley roared accusingly through her heart.
 
“And I don’t love him … I don’t love him at all,” Buffy argued. It wasn’t entirely true – he was Spike, after all. It was impossible for her to look at him and not see … well, Spike. It was impossible to keep her heart from loving him, even though she knew he wasn’t hers. “That’s not the reason.”
 
“Then why!? Why would you go back there?”

 

“Honey, just trust me…” Buffy started.
 
“NO! Tell me why! You and dad go away and you never tell the truth about it! And … and one day you’re not gonna come back and I need to know why!” Annie screamed at her as her tears streamed down her cheeks and dripped off her chin. “What’s wrong with us that makes you leave? What did we do wrong?”
 
“Oh, honey … no. You haven’t done anything wrong. We love you guys so much. You’re the world to us.”
 
“Then why?” Annie repeated in a whisper, searching her mother’s eyes for an answer.
 
Buffy took a deep breath and let it out. She opened her mouth to speak, to tell her daughter another lie, another half-truth, but then closed it again. Buffy brushed some of Annie’s long hair back and tucked it behind her ear as she studied her daughter’s distraught face.
 
“Ok – the truth. I’m not doing it for that other Spike. That’s not the promise I need to keep. I’m doing it for … you.”
 
Annie swallowed hard and studied her mother’s face in the dim light. “Me?” she asked, her voice a quivering whisper.
 
Buffy nodded. “Annie, I promised you that you’d be alright,” Buffy looked over at the wheelchair and then back to her daughter’s eyes. “I need to keep that promise. I need to make you alright. I should’ve protected you and I didn’t. I have to fix it.”
 
“B-but … how?”
 
Buffy shrugged slightly. “Go back in time and fix whatever went wrong in that dimension. If Glory doesn’t win, if the portal gets closed in time … none of this,” Buffy waved one hand at the wheelchair, “would’ve happened.”
 
Annie was dumbstruck. She looked from the wheelchair, down to her missing limbs, and then up at her nearly empty walls – the walls that used to hold her dreams. After a few moments, she looked back at her mother, tears still sliding down her cheeks, but now they were tears of hope.
 
“You … can really fix it?” she asked hesitantly, hopefully, her voice and chin quivering with emotion.
 
“I think so,” Buffy murmured, her voice low. “I didn’t want to tell you – I didn’t want to get your hopes up because it might not work. I want so badly to promise you that it’ll work, but … I’m not sure. But, Annie, I have to try. I have to try and reach that star up in the sky and pull it down – for you.”
 
“Oh, Mama … but … I mean … what if …” Annie stammered, worry again creasing her young face. She was too young and pretty to have such deep worry lines appear so easily on her brow and around her blue eyes.
 
“Nothing’s gonna happen to me. I’ll be super careful, alright? We weren’t ready before; we didn’t have weapons or know the rules. Now I can be prepared. I’ll have my scythe and I’ll take Willow with me … maybe Bess too – or Faith ... or both of them. It’ll be fine.”
 
Annie nodded, biting down on her bottom lip, willing herself to believe her mother. “Thank you,” she whispered at length, leaning back into her mom and hugging her tightly. “I love you so much.”

 

Buffy clenched her jaw against the overwhelming emotions that rose up from her heart. She kissed Annie's cheek and assured her, “I love you too, sweet girl.”
 
Please let me fix this. Please let me give her her dreams back, she prayed silently as she rocked her daughter in her arms.
 
**~**
 
Bess was jittery with nervous energy as she dialed the familiar number from the ship’s satellite phone.
 
“Hello?” Buffy’s voice sounded tinny through the earpiece.

 

“Mom! We found it! Willow’s got her Casper the Ghost thing going and it’s following it!” Bess exclaimed quickly.
 
Buffy let out a relieved sigh. “That’s great! Now what happens?”
 
“We’re on the way to the cave. Willow’s luring it there with the magical bait. Angel and I will go down and be waiting for it,” Bess took a deep, calming breath. “Mom, I think this is gonna work.”
 
“If anyone can do it, it’ll be you and Wills,” Buffy assured her. “You be careful, ok? If something goes wrong this time, even if it just feels wrong, just call it off and try again tomorrow,” Buffy advised. "Listen to your instincts, ok? Trust yourself."
 
Bess nodded. “Okay. I will ... I’ll be careful,” Bess assured her. “The next call you get will be from Dad,” Bess tittered nervously.
 
Buffy couldn’t help but laugh a little as nervous butterflies fluttered in her stomach. “Sounds good, honey. I love you, Bess.”
 
“Love you too, Mom … Oh! I gotta go! The boat’s slowing down, I think we’re here! Wish us luck!” Bess exclaimed before ending the call.
 
“Luck!” Buffy called back just as the line went dead. She had wanted to tell her about Spike maybe not being himself, but Bess had hung up too fast. Well, if Spike came out as 'William', certainly Angel or Willow would recognize it for what it was and be able to handle him until they could get him home to Buffy.
 
Bess hung the phone up and went out on deck. “Are we here?” she asked Angel, who was standing at the stern of the ship near the low landing that was used for going in and out of the water.
 
Angel drew in a deep breath and nodded. “We’re here,” he confirmed. “I still don’t like this plan. Not really keen on being trapped in a cave with that thing.”
 
“Do you have a better plan?” Bess shot back, her eyes momentarily flashing gold. She’d heard his whining about this plan for the last five days, but he'd never offered anything better.
 
Angel sighed and shook his head as he picked up his harpoon and checked the weapon.
 
Bess – are you guys close? Not sure how long I can keep this thing swimming in circles, Bess heard inside her head. It was Willow. The first time Willow did that to her after the witch had gone into her astral projection ‘trance’, it freaked Bess out. It was still a little creepy having someone in your head like that, but she didn’t jump out of her skin this time.

 

Yeah, we’re here. It should only take a few minutes for us to get into position, Bess sent back quickly.
 
The Slayer-vamp looked at Angel, her jaw set in determination. “Let’s go.”
 
The cave they’d chosen wasn’t that deep – about fifty feet down. Bess and Angel wore normal diving gear, sans the air tank, for the mission. Full body, neoprene dive suits, gloves and boots, along with diving fins, and face masks were all they needed at this depth. They had normal diving weights strapped around their waists so they wouldn’t float. They both had compressed-air powered harpoons, as well as commando-type knives, and underwater flashlights strapped to their belts.
 
They couldn’t talk to each other, but there shouldn’t be much talking needed – the mission was pretty simple. Find a spot in the cave to hide. Wait for Willow’s white, swirly apparition to lure the demon in. Shoot it between the eyes. Cut it open and get Spike out.
 
After swimming into the large cave, they found an outcropping of rocks about thirty feet in that would make a perfect hiding place. It was at a bend in the cave, so they would be right in front of the demon sea monster as it followed Willow in – in perfect position to shoot it between the eyes.

 

We’re set, Bess told Willow through the magical bond the witch had opened with her.
 
Okay, here goes nothing, Willow sent back as she began slowly luring the giant octopus towards the cave opening. Let’s hope it’s not claustrophobic.
 
The entire interior of the cave lit up when Willow’s shiny, magical lure of energy entered the opening. Bess and Angel ducked down behind the rocks and waited for it to get nearer.
 
After a couple of minutes, when it didn’t seem to be moving, Bess poked her head up – it was still near the entrance of the cave.
 
What’s wrong? she asked Willow.
 
It’s … give me a minute, Willow sent back. It’s not liking the cave idea.
 
Damn it, Bess growled to herself, tightening her grip on her harpoon and clenching her jaw.
 
Bess watched the bright ghostly swirl go back out of the cave and circle around in the clear water beyond. She could just see the arms …errr, tentacles of the octopus as it began to follow it again. C’mon … c’mon.
 
Willow backed up away from the cave entrance with her lure, and the monster followed it. When she knew she had its full attention again, she whirled around and started moving the sparkling bait faster through the water – and the octopus responded. With the sea monster focused entirely on the fast moving, ghostly lure, Willow darted Casper into the cave quickly. Not giving the octopus a chance to think it through, she just kept moving towards Angel and Bess’ hiding place.

 

Bess ducked back down as the bright, pulsing, swirl of light came near them and illuminated the cave.
 
Willow’s plan worked! The monster followed! It was here!
 
NOW! Willow shouted mentally to Bess.
 
Bess gave the signal to Angel and they both rose up from their hiding place in unison. They quickly took aim at the octopus through the glittering, magical light. The monster that ate Spike was now engulfed in the ghostly swirl of energy, only a few feet in front of them. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. They couldn’t miss!
 
Angel and Bess both pulled the trigger of their harpoons at nearly the same moment. The two air-powered spears cut through the water at an amazing speed and with pin-point accuracy. They were both headed straight for the octopus’ head, right between its demonic, red eyes.
 
This was gonna work! Bess hazarded a quick glance at the naysayer standing next to her. She could tell by the look on Angel’s face that even he finally realized this was gonna work.
 
When the harpoons pierced the electromagnetic bubble of ectoplasmic energy that Willow had used to create the lure and embedded into the creature’s head, the entire cave exploded in a flash of blinding light.

 

Bess and Angel were hurtled backwards. They smashed against the rocks behind them then the water around them began to swirl, just as Willow’s magical lure had been doing. Bess felt like she’d just been flushed down a giant toilet bowl. Dark water rushed around her, whisking her along with it, as it twirled in a tighter and faster circle. She tried to swim out of the whirlpool, but it was too strong. It was carrying her down with it … down further than should’ve been possible within the tight confines of the cave.
 
**~**
{{  Click here to hear Run by Snow Patrol on YouTube  }}

I'll sing it one last time for you
Then we really have to go
You've been the only thing that's right
In all I've done

And I can barely look at you
But every single time I do
I know we'll make it anywhere
Away from here

Light up, light up
As if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you dear

Louder, louder
And we'll run for our lives
I can hardly speak I understand
Why you can't raise your voice to say

To think I might not see those eyes
Makes it so hard not to cry
And as we say our long goodbye
I nearly do

Light up, light up
As if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you dear

Louder louder
And we'll run for our lives
I can hardly speak I understand
Why you can't raise your voice to say

Slower slower
We don't have time for that
All I want is to find an easier way
To get out of our little heads

Have heart my dear
We're bound to be afraid
Even if it's just for a few days
Making up for all this mess

Light up, light up
As if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you dear
End Notes:
TBC ...
Uht-Oh! What's happening to Bess, Angel, Spike, and the octopus? What wrench will this now throw into Buffy's plans? What more could go wrong? You'll soon find out...
World Domination by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
A quick pit-stop back in Sunnydale to find out how Warren’s plans for world domination are going.
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better and epd4 for her help with the initial beta. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
(Pre-dawn, early the next morning) Thursday, May 5th, 2011, 3am, Sunnydale:
 
“Tara?” Willow’s voice was weak. She seemed disoriented and confused, as if she’d forgotten who she’d called.
 
“Willow! What’s wrong?” Tara replied into her cell phone, suddenly jerking wide awake. The white witch stood up from the easy chair she’d been curled up in. She hadn’t intended to fall asleep, but apparently she had. She began looking around for Buffy, but the great room was empty save for her.
 
“They’re gone!” Willow exclaimed, panic rising in her voice. Willow leaned back against a wall in the communications room of the ship. Her knees wobbled and she tried to keep her head tilted back to stem the blood that flowed from her nose. It wasn’t really working. The bright red river dripped off her chin, covering her white shirt with stripes of crimson, making it look like a candy-cane had exploded on it.

 

“What do you mean ‘gone’?” Tara asked, becoming more alarmed. “The octopus ate them too?”
 
“No … gone as in … gone! Bess, Angel, Spike – even the octopus, they’re all just gone!” Willow explained frantically. “I saw the harpoons coming – they were aimed perfectly, I could see it was gonna work and then … boom!”
 
“Boom?” Tara repeated.

 

“Boom!” Willow confirmed loudly. She started speaking quickly now, almost hysterically, her voice several octaves above normal. “There was a huge explosion when the harpoons pierced Casper and then hit the demon … it was … I don’t know,” Willow paused a moment, trying to gather her thoughts and calm down.
 
Tara could hear her wife take several rapid, shallow breaths and sniff, as if the blood was coming from her sinuses and not broken blood vessels in her nose. Willow didn’t sound any less frightened when she continued, “It was like a big hot-air balloon full of hydrogen getting hit by a … a cruise missile or something! It knocked me out – literally. It ejected my astral self from Casper and tossed my body back against the wall. A medic on the crew had to wake me with smelling salts! How embarrassing … some great witch I am,” Willow moaned the last words, rolling her eyes. “When I tried to find them with a locater spell I got nothing! They’re gone!”
 
Tara’s gut tightened in a knot and tears of frustration and exhaustion and worry gathered in her eyes. She headed out the door into the garage and then down the curving driveway towards the street. Buffy had been going to take the garbage cans to the curb last Tara had talked to her – how long ago was that? A minute? Five? Tara pulled the phone back from her ear and looked at the time. An hour ago!?
 
“Buffy!” Tara called as she got within sight of the Slayer, who was standing in the middle of the street, looking towards downtown.
 
Buffy turned and looked at Tara, then took several purposeful steps forward as the witch approached.
 
“Buffy! Spike and Bess and Angel are missing! There was an explosion … even the octopus is gone!” Tara exclaimed quickly, still holding the cell phone to her ear.
 
Buffy tilted her head and considered this news. “You’re Tara. You’re a lesbian and a witch. You have a son, which is incongruous with your sexual preference. It is possible that you are bisexual. Do you and your partner also have sexual intercourse with males?”

 

Tara’s jaw dropped open slightly. “Uhhh … no,” she said slowly. Her stomach churned. Buffy had finally lost it completely. This news had sent her over the brink.
 
“Buffy, did you hear me about Bess and Spike?” Tara asked, trying to keep her voice calm.
 
“Yes. Bess is my daughter. She’s a Slayer and a vampire. Spike is my husband. He’s a vampire. A big demon ate him, but not in a good way.”
 
“Right …” Tara agreed slowly. “Willow, I’m gonna have to call you back,” Tara said into the phone. “I think Buffy’s …” she turned her head and covered her mouth and the phone with her hand, “… had a complete mental break. Keep looking for them. Call me if you find anything, ok?”
 
Tara didn’t wait for an answer. She disconnected the call and turned back to face Buffy, dropping the phone into her pocket.
 
“So … what were you looking for down the street just now?” Tara asked, motioning with her head towards the spot where Buffy had been standing when she ran up.
 
Buffy smiled brightly. “Warren. He said he’d be back, but he didn’t say when.”

 

“Warren? Who’s Warren?” Tara questioned.
 
“My boyfriend.”
 
Tara’s mouth opened and closed a few times in an imitation of a landed fish, then she swallowed hard. “Your … b-b-b-oyfriend? W-w-what about S-s-s-spike?” Tara stuttered out, the announcement from Buffy throwing her completely off-kilter.
 
“Spike’s my husband,” Buffy informed her, the wide smile never leaving her face.
 
“Right,” Tara agreed, regaining some of her composure. “Which generally means you don’t also have a boyfriend.”
 
“Monogamy is seriously over-rated. It’s for sexually repressed old fogies that wouldn’t know a good blow job if it bit them in the ass,” Buffy declared brightly.
 
“Oh.” Tara frowned and shook her head as she tried to figure out if Buffy really had a boyfriend or if this was some residual hallucination left over from the unpronounceable demon’s venom.
 
“I should go find him,” Buffy announced suddenly. “His very large and impressive penis will be erect again soon and he will need me to have sex with him. We’re trying every position in the Kama Sutra; we’re up to ‘Congress of a Cow’. I can’t wait for him to mount me like a bull and...”
 
“Ok, waaaay too much information,” Tara interrupted her, holding her hands up. “Buffy, I don’t think…” Tara started, reaching a hand out to stop the blonde from moving away.
 
Tara’s fingertips had barely touched the sleeve of Buffy’s jacket when the Slayer brushed the witch’s hand off like she was nothing more than a mosquito, and began striding purposefully down the center of the street.
 
“Buffy!” Tara called after her. “What about Spike and Bess?”
 
Buffy stopped a moment and turned around, her face contorted in thought. “Spike’s my husband. Bess is my daughter. I am the Slayer,” she rattled off the facts.
 
Tara walked up to her. “Right, sooo …” Tara prodded, her brows rising in question.
 
Buffy thought another moment, then the bright smile returned to her face. “So, as soon as I’m done having crazy cow sex with Warren, I’ll come back and save Bess and Spike. Then I can have sex with Spike. I’m looking forward to cow sex with a hairless bull; it’ll be a change from Warren. He’s quite hairy.” She nodded confidently, turned on her heel again and marched away from the stunned witch.
 
“Oh boy …” Tara muttered. She considered using magic to stop her, but if Buffy was mad about them giving her a sleeping pill, just how mad would the Slayer be about Tara knocking her out with magic? That could get really ugly.
 
Tara turned around and started walking back towards the mansion as she pulled her cell phone out. She needed help. Spike, Bess, and Angel were missing, Willow was in a panic out on that ship, and Buffy’s last marble had just rattled loose.
 
“Giles? Sorry to wake you, but we have a problem…”
 
**~**
 
Three hours later, 6:00am:
 
Giles, Xander, and Anya sat bleary-eyed at the research table, sipping coffee and yawning. They hadn’t wanted to wake Billy to put JJ in his normal sleep-over bed, the top bunk in Billy’s room, so the boy slept on the couch nearby. As the adults watched, Tara did the locator spell for the third time, and for the third time, nothing happened.
 
“You’re obviously not doing it right,” Anya informed the witch, giving her a tired frown.

 

“If you’re so smart, why don’t you do it?” Tara snarled back through gritted teeth at Anya. It had been a long day … a long week and was approaching a long month, Tara’s patience was threadbare.
 
“I’m not the witch – that’s your job,” Anya countered with a huff. “I’m the perplexingly literal ex-demon who voices the politically incorrect thoughts that everyone else is thinking but too embarrassed to say out loud.”
 
“Look,” Xander interjected, holding up his hands to stop the two women. “Everyone’s tired and on edge, let’s just all relax and breathe here a minute.”
 
“I was perfectly relaxed, sleeping like a very peaceful rock after several wonderful orgasms, when she called us here in the middle of the night. I don’t know what you think we can do, anyway,” Anya protested. “If Buffy wants to go boink some hairy bull, it’s not really any of our business. Unless, of course, you think it’s a Minotaur. If you think she’s having sex with a Minotaur, now that would be worth knowing.”
 
“A Minotaur that goes by the name of ‘Warren’?” Giles questioned. “Doesn’t exactly strike fear into the hearts of mortals, does it?”

 

Anya shrugged. “Back in the twelfth century, I knew one named Norbert. Trust me when I say you shouldn’t judge a Minotaur by its name.” Anya shivered slightly at the memory. “He was quite the specimen, a real animal in the sack,” she sighed nostalgically.
 
“Ok. That’s it,” Xander announced with a tone of finality. “Can we please stop talking about Buffy, or anyone else, having sex with strange, hairy, Minotaur guys, and focus on finding the Slayer, please?” Xander begged the group. It took him a long while to get used to Buffy being with Spike, but he was good with that now. Thinking about her with someone else? A big, hairy, minotaur-guy named Warren? Not really an image he wanted tattooed on his mind.
 
“Obviously, Buffy doesn’t want to be found,” Tara offered, sitting down heavily in the chair nearest her, folding her arms on the table in front of her, and laying her head down on them.
 
“Which supports the sex with Warren theory rather than the Slayer’s gone cuckoo theory,” Anya added.
 
“Buffy’s not having sex with some guy named Warren!” Xander protested vehemently.

 

“Not right now,” a new voice joined the conversation. Everyone turned and looked at the doorway. Buffy stood there, looking just as perky as when Tara had last seen her more than three hours ago.
 
“Buffy!” everyone exclaimed at once, jumping up from their seats.
 
“Where have you been?” Xander asked, getting to her first.
 
Buffy looked at Xander blankly for a moment then smiled. “You’re Xander Harris. The good-for-nothing, Spike-lover who would bend over and take it in the ass if he told you to. We went to high school together. I like you but we don’t have sex.”
 
Xander looked at her dumbfounded. “Oookaaay,” he let the word caress his tongue as he looked at the others with raised brows.
 
They all looked at him a little strangely.
 
Xander rolled his eyes and looked back at Buffy. “Right … but I don’t really think of myself as a Spike … lover. And there’s no taking of anything … anywhere. We’re just … friends. Man to man … it’s all very … manly.” Xander defended.

 

“I can say unequivocally that Xander will not take anything in the ass … despite finding pleasure in…” Anya started.
 
Xander cleared his throat loudly and then laughed nervously. “Not really the time, Ahn,” he ground out uneasily.
 
Anya rolled her eyes and turned back to Buffy. “You didn’t answer the question,” Anya reminded her. “We got pulled out of our comfy beds because you were missing. Where the hell have you been?”
 
Buffy smiled brightly and tilted her head to the side as she looked at Anya.
 
“Having sex with Warren,” she announced happily. “But I’m here now, ready to be the one girl in all the world who stands against the demons. Just show me the demons and I’ll stand alone.”
 
“Buffy,” Giles stepped forward. “Who is Warren?”
 
“He’s my boyfriend.”
 
“See – I told you,” Tara interjected, feeling slightly vindicated.
 
“And … ummm … what is his last name?” Giles wondered, still looking at Buffy.
 
Buffy tilted her head from side to side and furrowed her brow. “I do not have that information. Please submit a new query.”

 

Everyone looked at her, then at each other, confusion painted over their features.
 
As they stood there in silence, unsure what to make of their friend, JJ, who had been awake and watching for some time, walked between Giles and Anya and up to his aunt. He tugged on her hand and Buffy turned her eyes down to him.
 
“Who are you?” he asked Buffy.
 
“JJ!” Anya scolded. “What are you doing up?” she asked, taking his free hand and pulling him away from the Slayer.
 
“No – wait,” JJ protested, pulling away from his mother.
 
“Who are you?” he asked Buffy again.
 
Buffy smiled toothily as she looked down at him. “I’m Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.”
 
“And who am I?” the boy asked.
 
After a moment, Buffy said, “You are JJ Harris.”
 
“What does ‘JJ’ stand for?” he asked her as everyone else watched with fascination.
 
Buffy tilted her head to the side again and furrowed her brow. She got a faraway look in her eye for a moment, then the bright smile returned to her face. “Joshua Jacheal,” she answered confidently.
 
“And where did that name come from?”
 
Buffy again tilted her head and furrowed her brow. That faraway look returned for a moment, then the smile replaced it. “I do not understand that query. Please resubmit.”
 
JJ frowned and looked at his dad for help.
 
“Buffy,” Xander took over. “What did we use for inspiration for his first name … where did ‘Joshua’ come from? Like … was it the bible or … somewhere else?”
 
Buffy considered that question for a good thirty seconds. No one said anything, they all just stood and waited. “I do not have that information. Please submit a different query,” she said finally, looking at Xander as she waited for the next question.
 
JJ let go of her hand and turned to face the others who stood around them “That’s not Aunt Buffy, it’s a sentient android,” he announced to them matter-of-factly.
 
“A what?” Giles exclaimed.
 
“A sentient android,” JJ repeated. At everyone’s blank stares the boy sighed and rolled his soft brown eyes skyward. “Like Lieutenant Commander Data on ‘Star Trek’?”
 
When he was met with more blank stares, the boy said, “She’s a robot! Feel her hand – it’s too hot … that’s from all the robot stuff inside … like a computer? You guys do know what a computer is, right?”
 
There was a cacophony of voices suddenly filling the air:
 
“Oh, thank God!”
“Dear Lord!”
“What?!”
“I knew it!”
 
Xander, who was closest to her, reached a hand out and touched Buffy-bot’s forehead. It was overly warm … even if she had a fever, it was too warm and kind of … plasticy.
 
“I am not familiar with this greeting,” Buffy-bot said, reaching her hand out and touching Xander’s forehead. “Is it a custom between friends that do not have sex?”
 
“Uhhh … no, it’s just … Who are you?” he asked her, his brows furrowed in confusion. It looked like Buffy, the voice sounded like Buffy, but the words weren’t quite right and the smile was definitely too wide.
 
“Buffy, the Vampire Slayer,” Buffy-bot announced again proudly.
 
“Where’s Buffy?” Giles questioned. “The real Buffy,” he clarified.
 
“I am Buffy. I am real.”
 
“No, you bloody well are not!” Giles replied tersely, moving towards her.
 
He stopped short when a sad, forlorn expression washed over the Bot’s features.

 

“Good job, Giles,” Anya chided him. “You hurt her feelings. You made a robot cry.”
 
“It is not a her, it is an it!” Giles growled at the ex-demon.
 
“It still has feelings,” JJ informed him.
 
“Computers do not have feelings!” Giles argued.
 
“But she’s not just a computer. I tried to tell you, she’s a sentient android. She’s just like a real person. She can learn things and feel things and do everything a person can do. She’s probably just … new, so she hasn’t learned a lot of things yet.”
 
“Like where your name came from,” Giles sighed.
 
“Right. But I bet she can – just watch,” JJ said, then looked back at Buffy-bot. “My name was stolen from a band named ‘U2’ who had a music album called ‘The Joshua Tree’, which is pretty lame but my mom thinks is the best rock album of all time. My middle name is a made up name that my dad thought would be cool, but is really just … gobbledygook and dumb.”
 
“Hey!” Xander objected. “It is cool.”
 
JJ rolled his eyes and looked back at Giles. “Ask her,” he told the Watcher.
 
Giles looked at the Bot. “What was the inspiration for JJ’s first name?”
 
Buffy-bot smiled and answered enthusiastically. “It was stolen from the band U2. They had a music album called ‘The Joshua Tree’ which is pretty lame but his mother thinks is the …”
 
Giles held his hands up and stopped her. “Remarkable,” he murmured.
 
“This doesn’t really answer the question of where Buffy is, though,” Anya pointed out. “Or where this … robot came from.”
 
“I don’t think she knows,” JJ offered. “I don’t think she knows she’s a … droid.”
 
“Well, I think we should find this Warren character,” Xander suggested.
 
“And hope he’s not a Minotaur,” Anya interjected.
 


Xander shrugged slightly in agreement. “And, since he obviously sent droid-Buffy here to throw us off, he must know where our Buffy is.”
 
“You want to meet Warren?” Buffy-bot asked. “He’s my boyfriend. He’s waiting for me. In twelve hours and forty-two minutes we will have sex again. He was quite pleased with the bull mounting the cow! He said we would try the rutting deer next. It sounds very exciting.”
 
“Okey-dokey,” Xander announced, covering JJ’s ears and leading him away.
 
“Do you think you could take us to Warren sooner rather than later?” Giles wondered.
 
“Do you want to have sex with him too?” Buffy-bot asked, her too-white teeth gleaming in a wide smile.

 

“Uhhh … no, I rather think not. We’d just like to speak with him. Would that be possible?” Giles asked her.
 
“Oh, yes. He’s very intelligent. He enunciates quite clearly.”
 
“Wonderful,” Giles replied. “Perhaps we could go now?”
 
“First I must save Spike and Bess. The lesbian witch said that they were missing, so I must find them. It’s what I do. I’m the Slayer.”
 
“It’s okay, Buffy – Willow’s working on that now, so you don’t have to,” Tara assured her. “I think Mr. Giles is right, we should go talk to Warren now.”
 
“Oh,” Buffy-bot said sounding slightly disappointed. “Okay then. We’ll go see Warren. He’s my boyfriend.”
 
**~**
 
“What do we do now?” Tara asked Giles as they sat at the research table some time later.
 
Giles looked over at the Buffy-bot, who was sitting across from him. Her eyes were downcast and her bright smile was gone, replaced with a worried frown. He shook his head. “We need to determine what this Warren did with Buffy. Perhaps we can track him down some other way.”
 
“I’m very worried about Warren,” Buffy-bot said for perhaps the hundredth time since they’d gone to talk to him. “It is not like him to leave without telling me where he has gone and how to find him.”

 

“Well, I think it’s safe to assume that he realized your cover was blown,” Giles told the robot. “He obviously has found a new place to stay.”
 
Buffy-bot didn’t look any less worried. “But he left my charging equipment in the hotel. If he was going to contact me and tell me where to meet him tonight for deer rutting sex, why didn’t he take my equipment with him?
 
“Did I do something wrong? Was I not a good girlfriend?” The Bot asked, looking forlornly from Tara to Giles.
 
Tara sighed and gave Buffy-bot a small smile. “I’m sure it’s not you. Guys do strange things sometimes.”
 
“Is that why you are a lesbian?” Buffy-bot asked sincerely.
 
“Uhhh … it’s a little more complicated than that,” Tara answered. “He’ll probably call you in a day or two.”
 
Giles rolled his eyes. “I can’t believe you’re mollycoddling her … itM.”
 
“Willow hasn’t had any luck finding Spike, Bess, or Angel either … or the octopus for that matter,” Tara continued, ignoring his reproach. “I told her to just come back home … maybe she can help us with … Buffy-bot.”
 
Giles nodded, looking at the Bot. “You know, Buffy-bot aside, I can’t help but think that Buffy being missing is somehow tied to Spike and the others. It seems terribly coincidental.”
 
“There are no such things as coincidences,” Buffy-bot piped up, suddenly bright again.
 
“Indeed,” Giles agreed.
 
**~**
 
That night, Thursday, May 5th, 2011, 10pm:
 
Warren sat in the bulking black van and watched from a discreet distance as the witch and the Watcher searched for the portal in the Green Grocer’s parking lot. Through the parabolic microphone, he could hear their conversation…

 

“Annie swore it was right here next to the buggy corral,” Tara insisted again, reaching out with her hands and senses to try and locate it and determine if it had been opened recently. “I mean, I don’t know where else to even look for Buffy,” she continued as Giles watched her with a dour and worried expression. “We can’t find that Warren guy … the robot has no clue where to look for him.”
 
“Indeed … I’m quite at a loss myself,” Giles admitted. “Perhaps I was wrong. Maybe it was just coincidence and her disappearance is completely unrelated to that other dimension,” he suggested.
 
Tara sighed and shook her head. “Maybe. But if that’s the case, then I don’t even know where to start looking. The locator spell came up with nothing – not for her, or Bess, Spike, or even Angel. They’re all gone. Buffy was sure that octopus demon was from that other dimension. Annie said there was a guy named Warren in the other dimension. That can’t all be a coincidence … can it?”
 
Tara turned tired and worried eyes to the older man, and Giles removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose, then rubbed at his weary eyes. “Most likely not,” he agreed. “But where the bloody hell is the portal? Why won’t it open?”
 
Tara shook her head. “I don’t…” she stopped abruptly and knelt down on the pavement. The asphalt was new – put in when the store was built, and still had the smooth blacktop coating on it. For a parking lot, it was pretty clean … except for a fine black grit that covered the area around the buggy corral.
 
“What is it?” Giles asked as he knelt next to her, reaching down and picking up pinch of the sandy substance between his fingers.
 
“I’m … not sure,” Tara murmured, pulling a pinch of it to her nose and smelling it. It smelled like blacktop mostly, but there was something else – not plain sand … something fishy. “Dehydrated Paradoxophyla palmata maybe?”
 
Giles sniffed at the grit, then touched a bit to his tongue. “Dear Lord…” he murmured, looking at her with wide eyes. “Someone’s closed the portal … permanently. No wonder nothing happened when we poured Annie’s blood onto it.”
 
Warren smirked. “Yep, that’s one bitch that will not be back,” he muttered to himself smugly. He started the engine and began to drive away slowly. Now he could get on with his plans for world domination, starting with getting himself some real minions … the non-robotic kind.
 
Hot babes with guns. “Oh yeah…”
 
**~**

{{  Click here to hear World Domination by The Belle Stars on YouTube  }}


I don't mind working hard
But not too hard
Not in it for the glory
But I just wish that someday something would come easy
 
How are your plans going for World Domination?

There's no such thing living life for free
But I wouldn't say no
to something for nothing
And I just wish that someday Something would come easy

How are your plans going for World Domination?

It’s a cut throat world
Boy eat boy and girl eat girl
It’s a cut throat world
How are your plans going for World Domination?

We always make plans
They never come to anything
They never materialize
When are you gonna realize
All our hopes never come to anything
Where are you gonna realize
 
It’s a cut throat world
Boy eat boy and girl eat girl
It’s a cut throat world
 
How are your plans going for World Domination?

Tell me, what are your plans for World Domination?
 
What are your plans for World Domination?

((Disclaimer: I couldn’t find the lyrics anywhere, so I had to guess on some of this …))
End Notes:
TBC ...
Uht-Oh, this doesn't look good. We'll find out what happened to Spike, Bess, and Angel, as well as Buffy, next. I think JJ just earned his Scooby-stripes, don't you?  Maybe Willow can get some information off Buffy-bot's harddrive to track down Warren. Think nothing else could possibly go wrong? Cue evil laugh track ... muhahahahaha...
Bad Day by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
A bad day turns even worse for Spike, Bess, Angel, and Buffy.
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Thursday, May 5th, 2011. About an hour before Bess and Angel shot the octopus …
 
All the air left Buffy’s lungs and the pain jarred her awake when she hit the ground. She moaned and rolled into a tight ball, trying to get everything to stop hurting. Her head was spinning, she was woozy, and her stomach was doing flip flops. She instinctively reached up to touch the painful knot on the back of her skull, wincing when she found the golf-ball sized protrusion.
 
What the hell happened? she wondered silently as she blinked her eyes open and tried to piece together where she was and how she got here. Everything she’d done over the last couple of hours flashed in her mind in just an instant.
 
She remembered waking up in her bedroom with Giles sitting on her stomach, then taking a shower and opening the bond with Spike, then the talk with Annie, and the call from Bess.
 
After that, Buffy and Tara sat in the great room and waited nervously for Bess to call back. While they waited, Buffy told Tara again about her plan to go back in time and fix things in the other dimension. Just as soon as Spike was back, Buffy had insisted, she wanted to go forward with going back. Tomorrow wouldn’t be too soon.
 
Then Tara realized that tomorrow was garbage day. When she started to get up to take care of it, Buffy had stopped her.
 
“I’ll get it – you’ve done so much. All I’ve done for the last five days is lay in bed, apparently,” Buffy offered as she stood up, happy to have a little something to distract her mind from the wait. It actually felt good to be up and walking around, even if it was something as mundane as gathering up the trash and taking it out to the curb.
 
She remembered Tara giving her a grateful, tired smile and Buffy thought the white witch suddenly looked quite a lot older than her thirty-one years.
 
Then what happened? She’d taken the bags out to the cans and the cans to the curb. She’d checked to make sure the lids were on tight so the raccoons couldn’t open them … and … and …

“Oh G…” the words caught in Buffy’s throat as she finally focused on where she was. Her heart started to race, her adrenaline kicked into overdrive, and she began scrambling up the side of the demon doodlebug pit as fast as she could. She had no idea how she’d gotten here, but there was no doubt where she was: back in the Gift-less dimension, back in the bottom of the demon trap, and about to become a tasty morsel for the giant owner of said trap, Bob the Bug.
 
Buffy climbed and slid back down … climbed back up and slid down, her arms and legs scrambling as fast as they could in the loose sand to get to the rim. Then it occurred to her: why wasn’t the bug kicking dirt up on her like it had before? Maybe she was just dreaming … maybe this was some leftover effects from the Gesundheit demon’s poison.
 
Buffy stopped scrambling and, when she came to a stop in her slide back down the incline, she looked down into the bottom of the pit. The large demon bug that had so terrorized them lay on its back, dead and rotting at the very bottom of its sand trap. Spike’s blessed sword was still embedded in the thing’s throat, the hilt just visible above the decaying flesh.
 
“Spike,” Buffy whispered, as a small feeling of relief trickled through her. Spike was alive … or undead, anyway – what else could explain that? Buffy slid the rest of the way down the incline on her butt, scanning the sky for bats and the rim of the crater for Jacks. She saw neither. She retrieved the sword from the stinking corpse, which not even the other demons apparently wanted to eat, and began back up the side of the pit.
 
Using the sword to poke into the sand like a ski-pole, she was able to pull herself up the side. It still wasn’t easy, but it was a lot easier than it had been without it. And, the plus was, sticking it in the sand like that cleaned the putrid, gooey, rotting bug guts off it.
 
An even more gruesome sight than the dead demon bug awaited Buffy at the top of the crater. Xander and Tara’s bodies had been torn, literally, limb from limb. There was little flesh left on them, but it was clear who the bones that were scattered between the wrecking ball and the warehouse belonged to.

 

The smell of death … of decaying flesh, filled the air with a putrid stench. Buffy pressed her hand against her lips to hold back the bile and willed her eyes to look away from the carnage, but they refused. Instead they stared in horror and swam with tears. Her stomach rolled, both from the sight and the smell that assailed her, but still her body refused to move or look away. Purely on instinct, she scanned the ground near the wrecking ball for the dropped scythe – she didn’t see it.
 
That small trickle of relief about Spike surviving was washed away with a renewed feeling of guilt and sadness over the sacrifice the others had made for her and Annie. Buffy swallowed back her tears and her guilt as her resolve hardened within her. This could still be fixed. She still didn’t know how she’d ended up back here and wasn’t 100% sure it wasn’t another vivid hallucination. For safety’s sake, she decided to act like it was real.
 
Certainly this time her friends would know where to look for her, but she’d rather they not have to venture into this dangerous, godforsaken dimension. She needed a new plan.
 
“Ok, Slayer … think,” she admonished herself, forcing her eyes closed at last.
 
It didn’t take long for a new plan to bloom in her mind. Go back to base, get some of Dawn’s blood, open the portal … Then back to the original plan. Come back with reinforcements, Willow mojos me back in time, and I fix whatever went wrong here.
 
With a new plan firmly in mind, Buffy forced her body to move away from the carnage towards the warehouse. She passed by the altar, her altar, and picked up a familiar picture of her, Willow, and Xander from high school. 
 
 

“I swear I’ll fix it,” she whispered to the photo, tucking it into her back pocket. She could still keep her promises. All of them.
 
Buffy held the sword at the ready as she rounded the corner of the building and headed for the sewer entrance that Oz had brought her through. She kept a keen eye out for demons on the ground and in the air, her Slayer senses on full alert. She met no resistance getting to the sewers, though. Apparently the stench of death that wafted through the air here was even more than the demons could handle.
 
 **~**
 
At the heavy double doors that led into the old Initiative headquarters, Buffy’s chest tightened with renewed fear. After making it all the way from the warehouse here without meeting more than a couple of the big rat demons, her hope of finding Spike unhurt in the safety of the base camp faded quickly. The heavy doors had been wrenched from their moorings and lay crumpled like used tin foil off to one side of the entrance. The electric light that had seemed like a beacon welcoming her back to civilization the first time she’d seen it, was in shards on the concrete; the wire that had been protecting it gone.

 

Buffy raised her sword again, and stepped over the glass, careful not to crunch on any of it and announce her presence, and through the opening. All of her senses were peaked, on edge, and alert as she moved into the hallway of the base camp. Her eyes darted around in the dark trying to catch a glimpse of glowing red eyes, her ears strained to hear movement or voices, her Slayer senses reached out, trying to get a tell-tale tingle, warning her of danger. Buffy held her breath as she picked her way silently down the narrow hallway. There were a few emergency lights still glowing dimly in the base camp, just enough so her eyes couldn't adjust to the deep shadows that filled every corner. The harsh florescent lights, which had burned before in a constant, white glow, were all dark.
 
She wanted desperately to call out for Spike, but knew that would be a really bad idea. Then it dawned on her – the bond. The bond had made the connection with him in her dreams … those dreams that she didn’t want to think about. She should be able to use it to find him, maybe even communicate with him.
 
Buffy backed herself into one of the dark corners and closed her eyes a moment to really concentrate on opening the bond. It took longer than she was used to, but after working on it for about a minute or so, she got a sense of Spike. He wasn’t dust, of that she was sure. That brought some hope back to her heart and she tried sending him a message, tried to communicate with him. After a couple of minutes of trying, all she got back was silence and a feeling of … nothingness.
 
He might be hurt, unconscious, she thought. Buffy changed tactics and concentrated on sensing his location. After a few moments, she opened her eyes and began to move in the direction her gut told her to. There wasn’t any conscious thought to where she was going, only instinct to guide her.
 
She crept slowly down the dim hallway towards the common area of the base camp. As she got closer to the large open area, she began to hear noises of a struggle – a fight. It sounded like someone, or something, was banging wildly on a metal door. There were voices: Jacks. The shrill tone of their voices and hissing manner gave them away, even though she couldn’t see them or understand the words.
 
She swallowed hard and hugged the wall as the hallway she was in spilled into the large atrium. She ventured a quick look around the corner towards the sounds. There were five to seven Jacks trying to open a heavy metal door. Next to the door was the number ‘314’. She hadn’t been in that area when she was here before, although she knew the history of that room from the memories the PTB merged into her from the other dimension.
 
Buffy snuck her head out again, rubbernecking around the corner, and her eyes darted to the armory; perhaps she could get more weapons than just the sword. There were more Jacks there – apparently they’d discovered the joy of blasting each other with stun guns. Several of the large vampires had the weapons and seemed to be playing a game of tag with them. Well that looks like more fun than a barrel of dead monkeys. For some reason Steve Martin’s voice, doing the shtick from SNL, rang in her head, ‘We’re just a couple of wild and crazy guys!’
 
Buffy pressed her back against the wall again in the hallway and let out a breath. It came out slowly and sounded like a tire deflating, which was pretty much how she felt. She was beginning to think this was real – why would she hallucinate about this place? It was last on her list of places she’d like to visit, definitely not on the Zagat’s guide, even on a bad acid trip. This wouldn’t even rate a mention on Lonely Planet.
 
Buffy flexed her fingers around the grip of the sword. She’d been holding it so tightly that she was starting to lose feeling in them. She knew what she had to do – she had to get inside that door, into Room 314. That, her gut was telling her, was where Spike was. Well, that and the fact that the Jacks wanted in there – if they wanted in, there must be something in there worth killing … like Spike and maybe Dawn. Buffy just wished she had some plan other than taking on a whole squad of Jacks by herself. She’d feel infinitely better if she had her scythe, but she didn’t.
 
“Well … you could’ve stayed a Victorian lady, but noooo, you wanted to be a Slayer. Dumbass!” she chastised herself in a whisper.

 **~**

An hour or so after Buffy landed in the bug pit ….



It seemed like they’d no sooner pulled the triggers on their harpoons than Bess and Angel were hurtled backwards from the explosion. They smashed against the rocks behind them, then the water around them began to swirl, just as Willow’s magical lure had been doing.
 
Bess lost sight of Angel as she was pulled down and spun around in a dizzying slurry of water, magic, and glittering, glowing, purple bubbles. It would've actually been pretty if it weren't so disorienting and frightening. Her stomach quailed and retched as she almost immediately became woozy. It reminded of her when she was a child. She and her friends would turn in fast circles on the grass, then try to walk in a straight line, but usually just ended up collapsing on the lawn as the world continued to spin around them.
 
As suddenly as it began, the spinning stopped. What came next wasn’t much better, however. She began to fall, her speed growing with each passing moment. Bess fell with the water for what seemed several minutes, and again she got the impression of being flushed down a drain. The purple glow faded and she passed through a dark abyss. She reached her hands out to try and catch hold of something – anything, but there was nothing but her and the water.  She finally splashed down into another body of salty water; this one was, for the most part, still. She was still under water, but it wasn’t spinning or dark at least. That was an improvement.
 
When she was released from the water’s tight grip, Bess frantically swam back the way she’d come in an effort to get back to where she’d been: in the cave with Angel and Casper and the octopus that had Spike.  After a few moments, she broke the surface of the water. To her dismay, all she found around her was more water. An unending ocean of water greeted her. She turned around quickly, looking for the whaling boat – it was nowhere to be seen. A few hundred yards away she saw some other boats, though – bigger boats, cargo ships actually, several of them. They seemed to be moored – she was near a port, she realized, but had no idea what exotic port-of-call she’d landed in.
 
Bess sputtered the salty water from her mouth and lungs and took a deep breath of smoky, astringent air, which stung her throat and eyes. “Angel! Spike!?” she cried out, spinning around in a circle in the choppy sea.
 
Suddenly, from above her, a rain of glowing purple blood, accompanied by demonic sushi, began falling down on her. It was the octopus, she realized. It was cut into large chunks, as if it had been pressed through a screen made of Ginsu knives. Hundreds of smoothly cut squares of sea demon dropped from the sky, each easily as large as she was.
 
She dove back under the surface of the water and began to swim away from the downpour. She’d only gotten a few feet when Spike dropped into the water right in front of her. She stopped and gasped in a lungful of water. He looked confused and surprised, but probably no more confused and surprised than she looked. His hair was all but gone – nothing but short, brown fuzz adorned his head, and he was naked, but seemed basically unhurt.
 
She grabbed him by the arm and pulled him away with her, away from the large chunks of chum and glowing purple blood that stained the water. When the water finally cleared, and she no longer felt octopus-kabobs raining down, she surfaced with him.
 
Blowing and coughing the water from her lungs, she grabbed him in a tight hug. “Dad! You’re alright! We did it!” she exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around his neck and squeezed him enthusiastically.
 
“Do not mistake me, young lady. You are quite lovely, but this is wholly improper. I am a married man and … Oh, dear,” Spike pushed her back to arm’s length. “I do appear to be extraordinarily underdressed,” he realized. His words were strained with embarrassment. “And … errr ... a bit lost, as well. Could you perchance direct me to Macaulay Road?” he asked, looking around pensively.

 

“Huh?” Bess asked, looking at him quizzically. Why was he talking like that? He sounded like Giles. No, she realized, it was worse than that, he sounded like her adopted father, John Weatherford ... from over a century ago. “Spike – it’s me. It’s Bess.”
 
Spike smiled at her amicably. “‘Bess’ you say? My daughter’s name is Bess, as well. It’s short for Elizabeth, Elizabeth Anne. My name is William. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” Spike offered, bowing slightly in the water. “Despite the rather reprehensible circumstances,” he added, looking around at their unfamiliar surroundings.
 
“Dad – I’m Elizabeth. I’m your daughter,” Bess tried to explain.
 
“His marbles have been rattled loose,” Angel’s voice boomed unexpectedly from behind her and Bess spun around quickly, sending a splash of water into the air, which barely missed hitting Angel in the face.
 
“What … what do you mean?” she asked, looking at the dark vamp with confusion.
 
Angel twirled a finger around his temple. “Being alone and probably in a lot of pain – he’s gone Cuckoo’s Nest,” he explained.
 
“Cuckoo’s Nest?” Bess questioned. “He’s a … bird? He doesn’t look like a bird,” she pointed out, looking quickly over her shoulder at Spike then back at Angel.
 
Angel rolled his eyes. “He’s lost his grip on reality,” he clarified. “I’ve had it happen a time or two. He’ll probably get over it.”
 
Probably?” Bess exclaimed, her eyes going wide with worry.
 
Angel shrugged. “I think the more immediate problem is – where the hell are we, ‘cos this ain’t Kansas anymore.”

 

“Kansas? We weren’t in Kansas to start with – that’s one of the ones in the middle! We were off the coast of California. Are you sure you haven’t gone ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’?” Bess wondered, tossing his words back at him and looking at him warily.
 
Angel sighed and rolled his eyes again. “It’s a saying. ‘The Wizard of Oz’?” Angel shook his head. “You really need to watch more TV,” he advised her.
 
“That blast must’ve opened some kind of wormhole or something. We aren’t anywhere near where we started,” Angel clarified for her.
 
“Oh, yeah, I figured that out myself based on the lack of boat, a port I don’t recognize, and all this smoke in the air,” Bess told him, rolling her eyes.
 
“Pardon me, I don’t mean to interrupt, but if you could simply direct me to the local livery, I’m certain I can find my own way home,” Spike spoke from behind her in the voice of her father … from 1890.
 
Bess sighed. She wondered momentarily if having plans turn to shit was like blue eyes and high cheekbones … something that your father could pass on to you in your DNA.
 
“Let’s go,” Angel instructed as he started swimming towards the large cargo ships and the wharf.
 
Bess frowned but began to follow; there wasn’t much choice really. “C’mon,” she said to her father, who looked, more or less, like Spike but spoke like William.
 
Spike looked past her and eyed the dark man warily. He looked familiar … but, no, certainly that was impossible. He’d dusted the monster that had attacked his household and killed Cassandra, Theresa, and Avengelyne. In addition, this man was clearly a yank … not Irish.
 
Bess stopped swimming and turned around. “We’ll find a way home,” she assured him.
 
Spike brightened slightly and nodded. “I do need to get home soon. I know the children will be extremely disquieted with my tardiness.”
 
Bess blew out a breath as they both began swimming in Angel’s wake. “That’s an understatement.”
 
**~**
 
Buffy drew in a deep breath and took off running towards the door that the Jacks were trying to break down. As she ran, she noted that there were, in fact, eight Jacks there – great. They were making so much noise that they didn’t hear her approach. One of them must have felt her presence though, and turned around just as she reached them. Buffy swung the sword at its neck and turned the vamp into a pile of red, glittering booty dust before it could scream out a warning cry.
 
Unfortunately, the sound of her sword slicing through bone and flesh drew the attention of the other vamps anyway. Buffy swung again, decapitating the next one nearest her and slicing a deep gash into the arm of the one next to it. The vamp she'd cut screamed out and grabbed for its arm and Buffy swung again – three down, five to go.
 
The remaining Jacks stepped back and formed a wide circle to surround her. One started to sound a battle cry, to summon the others that were still playing ‘tag’ in the armory, she assumed. Buffy stabbed her sword into its belly, effectively silencing the call. As that one gurgled a painful wail, Buffy turned in a circle and swung the sword in a wide arc. She didn’t hit any of the Jacks, but they all backed up another step. When she got back around, facing the wall and the one that she’d injured, she slashed the sword down on its neck and put it out of its misery.

 

Buffy dashed through the red glitter that hung in the air towards the locked door. The Jacks to either side of the one she’d dusted reached for her. Their long, sharp, claw-like nails tore at her shirt and scratched her arms, but it wasn’t any worse than she had done to herself in the shower, and she barely noticed.
 
Now covered with the red glitter-dust, Buffy spun back around, putting her back to the door, and faced the remaining vamps.  “Spike!” she called, not certain that he was even conscious or even if he was, if he could hear her through the heavy door. She banged on the door with her elbow and yelled again, "SPIKE!"
 
Buffy kicked one of the Reds to her left in the knee – the weakest part of their body she could actually reach – and swung the sword at one to her right. The one she kicked yelled out in pain as its knee crunched grotesquely under the Slayer’s power and bent backwards like a bird’s. The vamp to her right, however, jumped back in time to avoid any injury from the blessed sword.
 
“SPIKE!” Buffy screamed again, daring to turn her head slightly to try and make her voice heard through the heavy door. Buffy reversed the momentum of the sword’s swing, which had missed the vamp on her right, and came back around in an arc to dust the vamp whose knee she had shattered. Only four left.
 
Despite the Reds making all her Spidey-senses burn up and down her spine, she knew Spike was behind that door – she could feel him above it all. Buffy spun around and planted a straight-leg kick into the groin of another Red, sending him stumbling back away from her. She used her momentum to turn in a complete circle, bringing the sword around quickly.
 
She extended the weapon as far as she could reach towards the necks of the remaining Reds that surrounded her, but they had backed up further than she realized and she only succeeded in barely scratching them with it. Not meeting the resistance that she expected threw her off balance and she stumbled.
 
In that one moment of weakness, the three Reds closest to her converged on her as one. They knocked her to the floor, face down, and one of them stomped down on the hand that held the sword with a large, heavy boot. Buffy screamed out in pain when three of her fingers were crushed between the Jack’s shoe and the hilt of the sword, but there was no time to dwell on that because there were two more Jacks atop her back now. Buffy struggled under their superior strength and tried to move her left hand to retrieve the sword from her now nearly useless right.

 

The fourth Jack had recovered from her kick to his groin and stomped down on her left hand as she tried to reach it above her head towards the sword. Buffy felt and heard her fingers breaking as he ground the heel of his boot against her digits, smashing them against the concrete and twisting them at unnatural angles. She couldn’t help but howl in pain as he continued to grind her bones against the floor with every ounce of his considerable strength and weight.
 
She heard one of them let out their now too familiar trill cry of victory from above her. Buffy had grown to dearly despise that shrill warble, which reminded her of Xena, The Warrior Princess – only the sound the Reds made was even more piercing and really, really annoying. Possibly the annoyance factor was amped up because it always signaled some victory over her.
 
When the Red that was grinding down on her hand lifted his boot up to get it ready to stomp down again, Buffy snatched her hand away. She got it moved just in time to avoid another devastating blow to her crushed fingers as his boot came back down hard against the concrete just above her head. Frustrated, the Red pulled his foot back and kicked Buffy in the top of the head. Suddenly, the shrill cry of the Reds morphed into cute little cartoon birdies flying and chirping around her drunkenly.
 
Buffy shook the vision off, although her head was still spinning from the blow, and pushed through the pain, trying to flip over and get out from under the vamps that were on her back. But they were too strong and held her down on the concrete like a bug stuck to a glue trap.
 
“SPIKE!” Buffy tried again, turning her head towards the door. There was a small crack under the door and she thought she could see a shadow moving behind it. Was someone really there or was her mind just playing tricks on her?
 
“SPII…” she tried again, but was cut off by another boot crashing down – on her face this time. The little birds and their annoying chirping returned with a vengeance.
 
She fought through the pain; she had no choice but to fight – fight or die. It was her life. It’s all she knew. Tears of frustration stung her eyes as all the promises she’d made crashed through her mind like the bulls running in the streets of Pamplona – trampling everything in their path.
 
“Goddamnit…” she muttered, angry at herself for letting her mind momentarily wander down a path of defeat.
 
Buffy reached her left hand out and forced the mangled fingers of both hands to wrap around the hilt of the sword, which still lay above her head. Before the large, male vampire that had been kicking her could react, she screamed out in pain and effort, pressed the hilt of the sword between her palms, curled her broken fingers around it, and swung it as hard as she could at his ankles.
 
Blood spewed from the wound and the vampire howled, then collapsed in pain. It hadn’t chopped his foot off, as Buffy hoped, but it had ‘Kathy Bates’d him, giving him a taste of ‘Misery’ in one of his ankles, at least.

 

Looking up in surprise when its partner screeched, the vampire on her back let the pressure off slightly. Buffy used the distraction to swing the sword backwards over her head. She caught the distracted Red, which was sitting on Buffy’s back, square in the forehead with it. Piercing screams and blood rained down on Buffy as she pried the sword out of the vamp’s skull with a grotesque squelching sound.
 
Suddenly, confusion and chaos leaked into the Reds’ coordinated attack of the Slayer, and Buffy took full advantage. She rolled out from under the vamp whose skull was now split open, kicking her feet frantically to free herself from the other two that were holding her. When she hit the wall a couple of feet away, she scrambled back to her feet, her sword at the ready, gripped with the mangled fingers of both hands.
 
Buffy didn’t waste any time worrying about how badly her fingers or her head hurt, though – she knew better. The two uninjured Reds were already starting towards her again. Buffy clenched her jaw and took a deep breath as she drew back the sword and then swung forward in one fluid motion. To her utter relief, they both burst into red sparkles as the blessed weapon sliced through their necks.
 
Unfortunately, the momentum of her swing put more pressure on her mangled fingers than they could stand. The sword flew out of her hands as she came around with it and it clattered loudly as it skittered across the concrete floor and away.
 
“Shit!” Buffy swore as she followed it with her eyes and cradled her broken, painful hands against her sternum.

 

Buffy stole a quick look across the expanse of the common area at the armory. All the commotion and screaming of the fight had drawn the attention of the Reds that were ‘playing’ down there. They were starting her way.
 
“Double shit,” she muttered under her breath as she stepped past Misery’s head to go retrieve her weapon. The hobbled vamp was still writhing on the floor in pain, holding his broken, bloody ankle with both hands.
 
Buffy was barely aware of Misery, however; her full was focus on the sword that had come to rest about ten yards away. She had to get it back, like now.
 
Before she could take another step, however, Misery reached out and grabbed Buffy’s ankle, pulling with all his demon strength and sending her sprawling face-first on the concrete next to him.
 
Buffy let out a surprised squeal when she began to fall. The surprise was immediately replaced with searing pain and a litany of curses when she landed on her crushed fingers. Buffy began to scramble and kick at the vamp, trying to free herself from its grip. Her kicks were ineffectual, however, because Misery had already released her legs and started crawling up her body.  
 
Buffy could feel Misery’s weight pressing down on her. Her arms were caught underneath her. She tried to push up, to flip them over, but the pain shooting up her arms rendered them weak and ineffective. With the weight of the large vamp pressing down on her back, the muscles of her arms quivered like Jell-O. She was able to rise up only a few inches before her arms gave way and her chest dropped back down onto the floor.
 
Buffy could smell Misery’s putrid breath as he plunged his mouth down against her neck, fangs bared. Buffy screamed when his incisors cut into her flesh and redoubled her efforts to get free, squirming and thrashing under him.
 
She could hear someone else approaching. The rest of the Reds from the armory had no doubt come to share in the bounty. Or more likely, rip the bounty away from Misery and into little shreds, like hyenas ripping a gazelle apart.
 
She almost felt like a bystander to her own death. Buffy could feel the blood flowing out of her body – it was at once strange and familiar. The strange part was how much this large vamp was taking with each pull. She’d been bitten before, of course – by Spike, certainly, but by others: Angel, the Master, the Turok-Han. She didn’t remember this feeling of being, quite literally, drained, come over her so quickly with them, not even with the uber-vamps.
 
Buffy kept trying to get away, to fight, but her head felt like it was a balloon, floating weightlessly above her body. Her body felt leaden, every movement took a monumental effort. She heard the footsteps coming nearer – the other vamps approaching.

 

Buffy held her breath, clenched her jaw, refused to give up. She had promises to keep. It couldn’t end like this – there was more to do, miles to go. Her family needed her to keep those promises. But the promises, like the bulls in the streets of Pamplona, had run past her now. They were just stars in the sky – out of reach.
 
Buffy’s eyes fluttered closed and her body stilled, her will alone was unable to fight the inevitable. This was it. She would die just like every other Slayer in history. Alone.

 **~**

{{  Click here to hear Bad Day, David Powter   on YouTube  }}

Where is the moment we needed the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on

You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way off line
You're falling to pieces every time
And I don't need no carryin' on

‘Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

Well you need a blue sky holiday
The point is they laugh at what you say
And I don't need no carryin' on

You had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day

(Oh.. Holiday..)

Sometimes the system goes on the blink
And the whole thing turns out wrong
You might not make it back and you know
That you could be well oh that strong
And I'm not wrong

So where is the passion when you need it the most
Oh you and I
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost

‘Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
You've seen what you like
And how does it feel for one more time
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

Had a bad day
Had a bad day
Had a bad day
Had a bad day
Had a bad day
End Notes:
Oh no! Angel and Bess have rescued Spike - except that he's lost in the past and thinks that he's William. And, to make matters worse, they're not in Kansas anymore. Gift-less!Spike seems to have survived the demon bug pit, but where is he? Why didn't he answer Buffy's calls?

What do you think of fuzzy-headed William/Spike? Unfortunately, I won't have a lot of screencaps for that look.

And, at the risk of giving a spoiler away (although you probably already figured out Buffy won't die here), just who do you think will rescue Buffy?

How the heck is Buffy gonna get out of this dimension since Warren has permanently closed the only portal she knows?

C'mon! I'd really love to hear from you! Lots more to come!!
Land of Confusion by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Unexpected!Spike has regressed to William and has been dropped, along with Bess and Angel, into a land of confusion. Buffy finds a sort-of-hero in an unexpected place and she tries to sort out just what happened here after she and Annie left.
**
Not Geeky enough to know what Midi-chlorian cells are?: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Thursday, May 5th, 2011:
 
“No … it’s simply impossible,” William protested from the bottom of the ladder that led up from the water to the wharf above. Bess and Angel waited above for him.
 
“Spi…” Bess began, before catching herself. “William,” she started again, trying to sound congenial and coaxing. The fuzzy-headed man had already made it perfectly clear his name was William, he knew no one named Spike, and would not dignify it by responding. “We’ll find you some clothes as soon as we can, but you have to come up here.”

 

“And I believe I have explained my position clearly. I will not parade around in public a state of undress. Particularly in front of a young and impressionable girl such as yourself.”
 
Bess sighed and rubbed her eyes as she looked down at him. “I’ve seen it before…” she growled through clenched teeth.
 
“So have I,” Angel mumbled from behind her. “C’mon, Spike – get over it,” he groaned louder, leaning forward so he could be heard by the man in the water.
 
William folded his arms over his chest and shook his head from side to side adamantly. He had one foot on the bottom of the ladder that led up to the wharf so he no longer had to tread water, but he wasn’t budging from this spot. “Please go and procure some proper clothing for me and then I will join you,” he insisted. “Not one moment before.”
 
“What’s that on your arm?” Bess asked as she looked down at him, confusion overpowering the frustration that she’d been feeling a moment before.
 
William looked down at his arm. A large, bruise-purple colored, slimy-looking creature the size of his palm was attached to his bicep. His eyes went wide, and he jerked it off his skin and tossed it into the water. For a moment, blood poured out of the large, red welt that was left behind before it healed over.
 
“Dear Lord!” he exclaimed as he found another attached to his stomach and then another under his left arm.
 
William’s modesty evaporated in an instant. He was up the ladder and on the wharf and, only a few seconds later, all three swimmers were stripped nude and pulling the giant leeches from each other’s bodies. If it hadn’t hurt so much, it would’ve been comical as the three of them danced around in their birthday suits, squealing and growling in pain and pulling the demonic blood-suckers off.
 
Suddenly, as if on cue, all three stopped dancing, and ceased their search for more of the leeches on each other. They turned as one and raised wary eyes towards one of the large cargo ships. Coming down the gangplank were … ummm … things. Lots of things. Tall, lithe, fast … things, with red glowy eyes. Definitely demonic things.
 
William reached for his spectacles in order to wipe them clean, because clearly they were fogged, but his hand closed on only air in front of his eyes. He’d apparently lost his glasses somewhere along the way. “What in the name of God…” was all William could manage before his throat constricted and closed in fear.
 
Bess, Angel, and William had no weapons, they were outnumbered, and now they didn’t even have any clothes on. “Run!” Bess advised, grabbing William’s hand and dragging him along behind her as she sprinted across the wide expanse of the wharf towards some warehouses. Angel took off at the same time and was right on their heels.
 
They’d barely made it halfway to the warehouse when William was knocked down, his hand wrenched violently from Bess’ grip. She stopped immediately and spun around. A large … bat? … Seriously? A giant bat had him! She watched in horror as its large, leathery wings flapped in the air wildly and its talons dug into the flesh of William’s stomach.

 

The Gem! Bess thought immediately as panic rose in her. That’s where the Gem is!
 
William was screaming and thrashing wildly under it. Blood spurted and splattered across his body. A torrent of crimson rained down on the dirty, splintered wood of the wharf below him. Despite the frightened man punching and kicking at it with the strength of a vampire, the bat was unimpressed.
 
Just as Bess began to move to help William, the large demon shrieked a high-pitched cry, which was deafening, almost literally ear-splitting, to the sensitive ears of the three tasty morsels on the wharf. They all winced in agony from the shrill blast. Bess and Angel covered their ears with their hands and turned away from the siren song of the bat. William’s hands were otherwise engaged, punching and pushing at the heavy beast, trying to escape. His ears rang like the bells of a giant, demonic carillon had taken up residence inside them. Blood began to drip from his shattered eardrums, but then the ringing and the blood stopped as the Gem healed him.
 
Luckily, Bess and Angel were further away from the sound and were able to recover from the shock and pain fairly quickly, despite not having a magical, all-healing talisman embedded in their guts. Both vamps launched themselves into the air and hit the bat at the same time, one from the front and one from the rear. Bat bones crunched grotesquely. It sounded like two Pro Bowl linebackers sandwiching an unsuspecting wide receiver who dared layout to catch a high pass over the middle.  
 
They all tumbled to the ground in a heap. The bat rolled, landing on its back, and pulled William with it. Now it was on its back holding the naked vamp in the air with its strong talons. Bess jumped up like a spring and kicked it in the head. It shrieked in pain. She covered her ears and kicked it again. Angel grabbed Spike’s legs and pulled. Bess kicked it again. Angel and the bat played tug of war with Spike … or William, as he insisted he be called, for several long moments. Bess kicked it again, her bare foot crunching against the bones of its head, and finally the bat released its prey.
 
Angel and Spike fell backwards and splayed out on the ground, a tumble of pale, blood-soaked limbs. Angel got his footing as William simply raised his head, looked up, and gawked at the creature. He looked down at his abdomen, which he had felt very clearly being ripped open just a moment before, but was now healed. It looked perfectly well except for the blood that remained spattered across his skin.
 
“What…” was the only word he could manage before Angel picked him up by his armpits. Before he could even get his bearings, Bess grabbed William's hand and they took off running again. Bess was pretty sure her foot was broken and her gait changed to more of a skip, using her good foot for momentum and her bad only for balance. It still hurt like a son-of-a-bitch every time she touched it down.
 
Bess crashed through the heavy metal door of the warehouse and the three blood-soaked streakers lunged inside. She slammed the door closed behind them and leaned against it with her back. All their chests were heaving with the habit of breathing, not so much from the exertion, but from the fear and adrenaline that surged through them.
 
They all stood there for a few moments, bent forward, hands on their thighs, as they recovered. Finally, William stood up straight, covered his privates with his hands, looked indignantly at Bess, and said, “I demand an explanation of this lunacy!”
 
Bess couldn’t stop the harsh, humorless laugh that rasped out of her throat. “You and me both.”
 
She hobbled over to a grime-covered window, rubbed a small peephole in the dirt and peered out. “They’re still coming,” she informed her traveling companions.
 
She moved back over to the men. “Where the hell are we?” she demanded of Angel.
 


Angel sighed. “Sunnydale?” he posited. It was halfway between a statement and a question. The port looked like Sunnydale’s. He’d been in these warehouses before – patrolling with Buffy sometimes back … back when they used to patrol together. It had been a while, but they didn’t really look much different. More rundown, perhaps.
 
“Sunnydale?!” Bess retorted. “I’m really sure I would’ve remembered big-ass bats and tall red-eyed … what the hell are those things?!”
 
“I’ve had quite enough of this madness,” William announced haughtily. “I’ll find my own way home, thank you very much.”
 
“Spi …” Bess started, grabbing his arm as he began to move away from them. “William – no. It’s not safe. You have to stay with us.”
 
“I dare say that I do not, young lady. I’m perfectly fine … apparently I’m immune to your … tricks and I refuse to abide this bedlam one moment longer,” he insisted, attempting to pull from her grasp. She held tight, refusing to let him go.
 
“Unhand me this instant!” he growled at her, his demon coming up without him even realizing it.
 
“No! You listen to me!” Bess shot back, her mind racing, trying to find some way to make him want to stay with them other than brute force. “Buffy sent me,” she finally blurted out. “To get you and bring you home.”
 
“I do not know anyone named ‘Buffy’, my dear. Unhand me,” he demanded again, pulling against her harder.
 
“Damn it … your wife! Bu… Elizabeth!” Bess clarified. “Petite, pretty … Slayer! Does that ring any bells?”
 
Suddenly there was a pounding on the door at their back and glass breaking around them. The Reds had arrived. Bess only had a second, but she saw a flicker in her father’s eyes. She wasn’t sure if it was actually a flicker of recognition or just fear blazing through them, and she didn’t have time to dwell on it.
 
“This way – I think there’s a sewer entrance at the end of this building,” Angel informed them, grabbing William’s other arm. He and Bess dragged the reluctant, confused vamp along through the empty warehouse as the Reds started pouring in through the windows and door.
 
At base camp…
 
“Oh, Yoda, help me,” Andrew prayed quietly as he cautiously opened the door to Room 314 and stepped out into the mayhem. He walked slowly towards the downed Slayer and the Red that was ravaging her neck. His stomach and chest clenched and he couldn’t actually breathe. He was really glad he hadn’t had his usual eight glasses of water today, otherwise he might actually have wet himself by now.

 

“You can do it, Frodo,” he whispered to himself as he raised the scythe and came down on the neck of the Red that was atop Buffy.
 
It went through the vamp’s neck with amazing ease. Andrew’s eyes went wide when the vamp actually dissolved into red glittery dust and Buffy … didn’t. He’d managed to pull up just in the nick of time to keep from decapitating her. He didn’t have time to celebrate, though – there were more Reds loping towards them from the armory.
 
Andrew ran across the floor and picked up Spike’s sword. Holding the scythe and sword in one hand, he grabbed Buffy by the wrist and tugged. Nothing happened.
 
“Holy Geez Louise,” he muttered, leaning back, putting all his weight into it and trying again. This time her body moved a little and she moaned.
 
“Damn … all those Slayer midi-chlorian cells must be made of hyperbarides. Couldn’t make them out of sugar and spice and everything nice?” Andrew babbled anxiously. “Noooo … had to make them out of heavy metal and snark.”
 
Andrew looked up – the other group of Reds were closing in fast. The perspiration on his brow turned into full-fledged sweat and began running in rivulets down his face, into his eyes, and dripping from the end of his nose. This was not good … not good at all.

 

“The Force is with me … the Force is with me … Please, Yoda, let the Force be with me,” he muttered as he tugged with every ounce of weight and muscle he had, which, granted, wasn’t much. Finally, Buffy’s body, which was stuck to the cement floor by her own blood, pulled free with a wet, squishing sound.
 
Andrew winced when the sound invaded his brain, but kept moving. She slid easily now. He pulled her prone body around 180 degrees, then dragged her the short distance across the glitter-covered floor back towards the door. He’d no sooner gotten her inside and the door slammed closed again, than one of the Reds hit it like the demon had been shot out of a cannon.
 
BOOM! the sound echoed through the nearly vacant hallway like a clap of too-close thunder.
 
Andrew jumped back in fright and fell on his ass; the scythe and sword both clattered down next to him. A warm, wet spot formed on the floor under him. Shoot! Just when he thought he was getting the hang of this hero stuff.
 
Buffy moaned and Andrew’s attention was drawn to her neck, which was still bleeding. He picked himself up, grabbed her wrist again, along with the sword and scythe, and headed down the hallway with her. In the furthest room away from the door that led to the common area where the Reds waited, Andrew stopped. He put the weapons down then struggled to pick Buffy up and place her on one of the gurneys in there.
 
He grabbed her under the arms and lifted. He got her head up to about his waist and dropped her. He sighed and shook out his arms like he’d just lifted five hundred pounds.
 
He rolled his head around, loosening up his neck, then cracked his knuckles. He took a few deep breaths and closed his eyes to concentrate. He heard his mom’s voice in his head, admonishing his father to ‘lift with his knees’. He sighed at the memory. He’d been putting his new Millennium Falcon model together in the kitchen while his dad was trying to rearrange the living room to make room for the brand new projection TV he’d just bought. Seventy-two inches of heaven right there in their very own living room. Andrew sighed again, a dreamy little sound, as he thought fondly of all the good times spent around that state-of-the-art television.
 
After a few moments, he shook off the daydream and tried lifting Buffy again. This time he bent his knees, his eyes bulged with the strain, and he let out a long, painful-sounding grunt. It worked! He rose with the unconscious Slayer and leaned back at the same time to use his whole body to drag her to her feet.
 
“Who knew little Slayers weighed so much,” he moaned as he worked to lift her to a standing position. “I swear you weigh more than Spike!”
 
For a brief moment they stood up, her back to his front, then they both fell forward heavily, awkwardly. Buffy’s head and torso landed on one of the gurneys; Andrew landed on her back, his hips pressed hard against her butt.
 
“Oh God!” he exclaimed as he pushed off the Slayer then straightened his clothes nervously and swallowed hard. His hands were shaking and his heart fluttered fearfully in his chest. He stole a quick glance at Spike. The vamp’s eyes were closed, he hadn’t woken up yet. Andrew let out the breath he’d been holding.
 
“Thank you, oh great Yoda,” Andrew whispered. If Spike had seen that, he would’ve killed him for sure – just like he killed Riley, of that Andrew was certain.
 
Calmed slightly, he took a deep breath, and picked up her feet and lifted them up onto the gurney. Now she was laying face down on the small, rolling bed. He really needed to turn her over to work on her neck.
 
Andrew turned Buffy onto her side and she nearly rolled off the other side of the gurney. Andrew shrieked, lunged at her, and pulled her back onto the narrow bed at the last moment. After a considerable struggle, he had her on her back on the gurney. He let out a relieved breath and wiped the sweat from his brow then went to get his medical supplies. Who knew being a superhero’s superhero was such hard work?
 
**~**
 
Angel pulled the manhole closed above his head and followed Bess and the even more annoying version of Spike that was their traveling companion, down into the sewers.
 
“I must say this is entirely unacceptable!” William continued to grouse as Bess pulled him along behind her by one hand. His other hand covered his privates as well as he could while being pulled along at a fast jog.
 
“Where should we go?” Bess asked Angel breathlessly. They could hear the manhole cover being practically ripped open behind them by the demons that were chasing them.
 
“Crawford Street,” Angel replied.
 
“I must protest,” William interjected. “If you would simply release me, I will take my leave of you … people. My children must be beside themselves in my absence.”
 
“No – Elizabeth told me to bring you with me,” Bess insisted.
 
William stopped in his tracks and yanked his hand out of Bess’ grasp. “I apologize for being blunt, but you, my dear, are a liar and if my Elizabeth were here, she would say the same.”
 
Angel nearly ran into William’s back when the smaller man stopped in the middle of the tunnel. Angel careened off the wall to keep from hitting the stationary vamp before stomping heavily to a stop beside Bess.
 
“William,” Bess growled between clenched teeth. “Can we discuss this later? Those monsters are coming,” she pointed out, her eyes darting down the tunnel behind them.
 
“No, we may not. We will discuss it now or I shall not take one step further,” William insisted haughtily, momentarily folding his arms over his chest before remembering his nudity, and quickly dropping both hands in front of his groin again.
 
“Fine – why do you think I’m lying? I just talked to your wife this morning. She told me to bring you home, to Crawford Street,” Bess told him in all truthfulness, folding her arms over her chest, but not because she cared about covering anything.
 
“My wife is dead. I watched her life’s spirit drain out of her with her blood. A monster attacked her … a vampire, in fact,” William explained. His eyes darted from Bess to Angel and back again … then they drifted cautiously back to Angel and settled there. “So, you see, she could not have spoken to you today,” he finished slowly, distractedly, as he studied Angel closely, his eyes narrowing suspiciously. Was there some way the vampire that had attacked his household could've survived? Surely not. Everyone has a doppelganger in the world … or so they say.
 
Bess sighed. “I’m not talking about Cecily,” she clarified, her eyes scanning the darkness behind them for the large demons.
 
William’s eyes darted back to Bess, surprised, but he recovered quickly. “Neither am I.”
 
“Look … maybe where you were Elizabeth died, but here, she’s alive. Didn’t she say she was from … somewhere else?” Bess tried.
 
William’s brow furrowed. “Yes … but…”
 
“Well, guess what? We are ‘somewhere else’. I mean literally somewhere else,” Bess pointed out, waving her arms out wide. William’s eyes darted down momentarily to her nude form when she moved, seemingly with a mind of their own. His Adam’s apple bobbed as he swallowed hard, then he averted his eyes uneasily.
 
“There’s no Macaulay Road here, William – but there is an Elizabeth,” she tried, hoping it would be enough of a carrot to coax him to just come on. “Your wife is alive and waiting for you.”
 
William’s mind whirled as he processed this. Could that be true? Had she simply gone back to wherever she’d come from and she was waiting here for him? This certainly didn’t seem like heaven – on the contrary, but Avengelyne was a fallen angel. Perhaps this was where she had been banished to after her mortal death, after all. Was it possible she was really here and had sent this girl to fetch him?
 
“Can we just go to Crawford Street and see? She’s probably there – waiting for you,” Bess prodded, a bit surprised those demons hadn’t caught them yet. That was a bit worrisome. Where were they? If they weren’t behind them, then where did they go?
 
Finally, William sighed and agreed, “Very well, then.”
 
Bess closed her eyes and rolled them at the same time – a gesture of relief and frustration mixed into one. “Great – c’mon!” she commanded, grabbing one of his hands and pulling it away from his groin.
 
William had little chance to object as she started moving again, limping quickly through the tunnels, dragging her reluctant father behind her, Angel now in the lead.
 
**~**
 
Buffy moaned and flexed her hands and fingers. They hurt, but were functional if she just ignored the searing pain. She reached for her neck – of all the things that hurt right now, that was the one that she was most concerned about. She didn’t bother opening her eyes. The light beaming in through her closed lids was already too bright. She figured there was a pretty good chance she was dead, anyway. Opening her eyes and confirming it wouldn’t really do anyone any good.
 
 

“The Slayer of the Vampyrs has risen from the ashes of certain death!” Andrew crooned melodramatically, moving up to her gurney and sighing wistfully.  “Buffy, the all encompassing light in the heart of our fearless, and quite handsome leader, saved from certain defeat by the all-powerful Dungeon Master. A surreptitious Jedi Knight, sent to protect and serve the Chosen heroes of this world, bestowed with the power of the Force by Yoda himself. Our mission, to defeat the Otherworld demons, set the universe back … gaaaahph.” Andrew tried to pull Buffy’s hand away from his throat, his eyes bulged out, and he was pretty sure he’d never eat anything but banana puree again for the rest of his life.

Buffy squinted her eyes open and looked up at the ‘Dungeon Master’ through the veil of her lashes. “What the hell is going on?” she demanded in a low, hoarse voice. Her hands and fingers still hurt like hell, but not as much as her brain did from listening to Andrew babble.
 
Andrew made several incoherent choking sounds and flapped his hands like little birds, trying to get her to let him go. Buffy released her grip on his throat and the all powerful Dungeon Master and undercover Jedi stumbled backwards, wheezing and grasping at his throat.
 
“No fair!” he whined after finally getting his breath back.
 
Buffy pushed herself up to sitting. When the world began spinning faster than she remembered, she closed her eyes until it slowed down at bit. Her stomach was queasy and she swallowed several times trying to keep whatever was in it from mounting an escape attempt.

 

“I saved you and that’s the thanks I get!?” Andrew wailed, folding his arms over his chest indignantly, but making sure to stay further than arm’s distance from the surly Slayer.
 
At that, Buffy had to open her eyes. The room was still tilting back and forth a bit, but she found if she swayed her head slightly from side to side in time with it, it wasn’t so bad. “What do you mean you saved me?”
 
Andrew huffed. “I saved you. I fought off all those Reds … at least ten … maybe … twenty.”
 
At Buffy’s dubious look, he faltered and shrugged. “Definitely five,” he amended.

 

“Dusted them into little bits – it looks like Dorothy’s ruby-red slippers exploded out there!” he embellished, waving a hand down the hall towards the common area. “Then I carried you in here and bandaged your wounds … I selflessly opened my veins for you, gave you a transfusion of my own blood.”
 
“You did what!?” Buffy finally found her voice. It boomed in the nearly empty room.
 
“I … uhhh … mean … I gave you a sterile, saline IV to replace the fluids,” Andrew stammered.
 
“Jesus Christ,” she swore. “If you put bodily fluids of any kind anywhere near me, I’ll squash you like a bug,” she threatened.
 
“I didn’t! I swear!” Andrew’s voice morphed back into a whine as he retrieved two IV bags from the garbage. “See! Saline! Honest!”
 
Buffy glared at him and touched the bandage on her neck. “I hope you did a better job with the stitches this time. I better not have a scar.”
 
Andrew’s mouth opened and closed like a guppy out of water. Buffy rolled her eyes and slowly turned her head to look around. “Where are we? Where is everyone?”
 
“Room 314. It’s the last stronghold. Warren and I used it for our lair; he reinforced it even more than the army guys. The Reds can’t get in, but … we can’t really get out, either. We’re all that’s left,” Andrew explained, but Buffy wasn’t listening any more.
 
“Spike …” she muttered, her eyes settling on his still form laying on another gurney off to the side of the room.

 

“Oh, yeah – I saved him from the big bug. I stabbed it right through the neck with his sword,” Andrew offered matter-of-factly, nodding and shrugging.
 
Buffy got to her feet unsteadily. The room started tilting again, so she held to her gurney and rolled it with her over towards Spike. About halfway there, Andrew’s words sank in and she turned back to look at him.
 
You killed the big bug in the pit?”

 

“Yep!” he affirmed confidently, nodding.
 
“Are you sure Spike didn’t kill it while you screamed like a little girl?” Buffy wondered.
 
“Nooo, that’s not how it happened at all!” Andrew defended, stomping a foot down petulantly.
 
Buffy let out an exasperated sigh and continued her trek across the room towards Spike. “What about Dawn? Where’s she?”
 
“She was … uhhhh …” Andrew stammered.
 
Buffy stopped just as she got to Spike and looked back at Andrew. “She was what? What happened?”
 
“It looked like she just stopped breathing … When I went to check on her that day you all left, she was … cold.”
 
Buffy pursed her lips and clenched her jaw. Damn it, Spike!
 
“You stubborn, pig-headed jerk of a vampire,” Buffy snarled down at Spike. She clenched her eyes closed tightly and shook her head. He’d done it because he knew. He knew he wouldn’t be there to protect Dawn. He wouldn’t be coming back from the mission. He knew the Reds would get in. Son-of-a-bitch.
 
Buffy opened glistening eyes and smoothed his curls back as the memory of him sacrificing himself for her and Annie replayed in her mind. She could still see him falling from the jib, landing in the bug pit … he hadn’t even fought when the bug carried him under the sand. He hadn’t fought … How the hell did he kill it if he hadn’t fought?
 
Buffy turned wary eyes back to Andrew. “Just exactly when did you and Spike become slaying buddies? The last time I saw Spike, that bug had him and was getting ready to turn him into the second course of an all you can eat demon buffet.”
 
Andrew huffed. “Pretty sure I just said that I saved him from the bug! I never knew you hero types needed so much saving. Good thing I was there…”
 
Buffy moved faster than she thought she could across the tilting, twirling floor, and grabbed Andrew by the throat again. “Why don’t I believe you?”

 

Andrew held up his hands in surrender. “Honest,” he croaked out past her grip. “Swear to Yoda.”
 
Buffy loosened her grip slightly. “What happened after I left?”
 
“I told you …” Andrew started.
 
Buffy squeezed her fingers around his neck, digging her nails into the side of his throat.
 
“Ok! Ok!” Andrew shrieked.
 
Buffy released him, crossed her arms over her chest, and waited. Andrew rubbed at his throat and coughed a bit, then went and poured himself a drink of water.
 
Buffy sighed heavily as he took his glass over to a table that was set up on one side of the room, pulled out a chair for her and one for himself, and then sat down. Buffy rolled her eyes and dropped her arms to her sides as her shoulders sagged. Finally, she walked over to the chair and sat down across from him. Andrew sipped at his water in silence, taking several small drinks and swallowing gingerly, never meeting her eyes.
 
Buffy was losing the last shred of patience she had. “Talk,” she ordered simply, glaring at him.

 

Andrew took another slow, deliberate sip of water. When he put the glass down, Buffy slid it away from him, out of his reach and over next to her. “No more water until you talk.”
 
“I have urinary tract stones, I have to stay well hydrated or…”
 
“I. Don’t. Care,” Buffy growled, her words and tone clipped. “Talk.”
 
Andrew sighed heavily. “Alright, but if one of those stones gets lodged…”
 
“Andrew, you won’t have anything left for it to get lodged in if you don’t start talking in the next three seconds,” Buffy threatened, narrowing her eyes at him dangerously.
 
Andrew cleared his throat and shifted nervously in his seat. “Fine,” he acquiesced grudgingly.
 
“Okay, let’s see … where to start,” he mused, looking up at the ceiling and tapping a finger against his chin.
 
“Start at the beginning,” Buffy instructed.
 
“Right. Ok … I grew up in Sunnydale, California. That’s in the United States of America, but was actually born in ...”
 
“Not that beginning, you little freak!” Buffy interrupted him angrily, barely able to keep her hands from gripping around his throat again. “Start with why you went to the bug pit in the first place.”

 

“Oh, right.” Andrew straightened and started again. “Well, I overheard Warren and Rack talking. They stole one of the vials of Annie’s blood that you had me draw and they were talking about following you ... you know – out.”
 
“How did they know about the blood?”
 
Andrew’s eyes darted left and right, as if looking for the answer to that question in the empty room. “Uhhh … I don’t know. Maybe … they … read my mind!” he hypothesized. “That Rack – you know, he can read your mind if he touches you! Which I find to be very rude, by the way; clearly an invasion of personal space.”
 
Buffy rolled her eyes. “Keep going.”
 
“So, I went to find Spike, to warn him, ya know? But he was already gone. Then I went to find you, but you and Annie were gone too. So, I had to take matters into my own hands.”
 
“You went after Rack and Warren all on your own?” Buffy questioned, cocking a skeptical brow at him.
 
Andrew hefted his chin haughtily. “I had no choice. I’m a superhero too, ya know. It’s my duty to do the right thing, no matter the risk to my personal safety. To stand up for what’s right, to respect all life, and to help those weaker than myself. I’ve vowed to use the Force only for good: never in anger; only to defend those who cannot defend themselves; to find new ways to improve myself so that I may be an example to others…”
 
“Andrew…”

“To give guidance to those that seek it; while not seeking to lead or rule them…”
 
“Andrew!”

 

“As a Jedi, I must always oppose those who revel in evil and seek power for the sake of powrrr… gaah,” Andrew sputtered to a halt as Buffy’s fingers once again tightened around his throat. There was something about digging her fingertips into his flesh that made her battered fingers hurt less each time she did it.


“What happened to Warren and Rack?” she asked through gritted teeth, her tone harsh and clipped.
 
Andrew gurgled past her grip and his eyes started to bulge. Buffy released him and he reached for the glass of water. She slid it across the table to him and waited for him to take a drink before snatching it out of his hand and setting it back down out of his reach.
 
“Warren and Rack. Where are they?” she demanded again.
 
Andrew swallowed hard and rubbed his throat. “It wouldn’t do you any harm to take the Jedi oath…” he murmured under his breath.
 
Buffy raised her brows and glared at him impatiently.
 
Andrew took a shuddering breath, then continued, “They took the sewers and I followed them very carefully, using every ounce of my Jedi power to keep from being detected. They stopped at every bank between here and ground zero and made ‘withdrawals’,” Andrew explained, using his fingers to make air quotes around the word ‘withdrawals’ as he cocked a knowing brow at Buffy. “By the time we … uhhhh … I mean, they got to the portal, they had millions of dollars strapped to their bodies and in bags hanging over their shoulders.
 
“By the time we … they,” Andrew hurriedly corrected again, “… got to the warehouse, you were gone – in fact, it was perfectly quiet, there weren’t any Reds or anything there. We could tell there had been a galactic battle from all the dust and … blood. It was …” Andrew paled and swallowed hard, eyeing the water glass. Buffy pushed it further away from him. “…bad.”
 
When he didn’t continue, Buffy prodded, “And, then…”
 
Andrew cleared his throat and looked back at the Slayer. “And then they climbed up the big crane, but I have an inner ear condition – it wasn’t that easy for me to follow them.”
 
“Plus they’d be able to see you … your cover would’ve been totally blown,” Buffy pointed out sarcastically.
 
Andrew’s eyes went wide and he nodded enthusiastically. “Exactamundo!
 
“So,” he continued. “I waited for them to get about halfway up and, while their attention was on figuring out where the portal was, I slowly and, very stealthily, I might add, climbed up behind them, intent on foiling their evil plan, with no regard for my own safety or discomfort.
 
“Unfortunately, they saw me,” Andrew continued to weave his tale. “I shouted a warning at them to stop this evil scheme or they would feel my wrath! They foolishly showed no respect for my Jedi powers. That was their fatal mistake,” Andrew revealed in a dramatic voice. “I sprang up the precarious arm of the crane like a Ninja. It shook and shuddered under me in the hurricane force winds which I believe Rack had conjured to thwart me. But I was undeterred – my whole focus on stopping their diabolical plot.
 
“Rack attacked me and battled gallantly, but his fierce, dark magicks were no match for my superior faith in the Force within. With a flick of my hand I turned his power back on him and he was blown off the crane and fell down into the pit below. I had no time to look, but I know from the grotesque sounds of crushing bone that the demon bug took the offering and devoured it immediately.”
 
Andrew was talking faster now, his breathing rapid and shallow, and his eyes were wide with excitement as he wove his tale of bravery and righteousness.
 
“With the dark warlock cleared from my path, I reached for the vial of blood that Warren was just opening, preparing to use to activate the portal. We both fell onto the hard, steel girders and grappled for the vial. I had just gotten my hand on it and was preparing to rip it away from the evil-doer when a bat attacked me.
 
“I fended it off with one hand as I hung on to the vial of blood with the other. Then there were more bats … I couldn’t count them all; the sky was full and they were all after me! Rack must’ve cast a spell to bend the demons to the evil-doer’s will. I fought nobly, as any Jedi would do, but …” Andrew sighed heavily and shook his head. “Alas … even the most powerful Jedi is no match for an army of flying, demonic bats. After many long hours of struggle, they finally jerked me away and dropped me into the pit where Rack had fallen.”
 
Buffy fought the unbelievably strong urge to roll her eyes. If it hadn’t been for Spike, just one of those bats would’ve hauled her and Annie off that damn crane, but Andrew battled an army of them for hours … yeah, right.
 
“You don’t seem to have any wounds … you know, from the army of bats,” Buffy pointed out, dipping her head at him to indicate his seemingly perfect health.
 
“Oh … well … I …” Andrew stammered, rubbing a hand nervously from his neck, down his chest, across the fabric of his t-shirt and finally settling it in his lap. “It’s the Force. Like you, attractive warrior, I have enhanced healing powers. I’m no mere mortal,” Andrew claimed, narrowing his eyes and nodding slowly, as if sharing a secret.
 
Funny how the crescents on his throat, where her nails had embedded in his flesh, were still red, dripping blood, and starting to turn purple ... what with the super Jedi healing and all.
 
“You’re insane, aren’t you?” Buffy asked flatly, folding her arms over her chest.

 

Andrew looked like he’d been slapped. “I am not! My mom had me tested!”
 
Buffy blew out a breath and shook her head. “What happened next?” she asked dully. Deducing the actual truth of this was gonna be like interpreting a dream … of an insane person.
 
“I struggled to get out, to get back up and stop Warren, but, alas … I was too late,” Andrew finally stopped and took a shuddering breath. “Evil had triumphed over good this day. But I vowed,” he looked at Buffy with a deadly serious expression on his face, his eyes narrowed to thin slits. “I vowed at that moment to fight on. I would not let evil defeat this Jedi.
 
“When the demon bug came for me, I fought with the power of the Force, pulling determination from my Jedi soul. I let it pull me under the sand so I could fight it on its own terms, and what did I find but Spike! He was there, under the sand as well, just waiting for me to arrive to offer my allegiance. He offered me his sword as Lancelot would’ve offered his sword to King Arthur. Such a fine warrior is Spike, so filled with brave humility,” Andrew nearly swooned, looking over towards Spike, still laying unconscious on the gurney.  
 
The queasiness returned to Buffy’s stomach. This story was about to make her retch.
 
“I took it as it was offered, with great dignity, and then slashed at the creature that was set on devouring us. The demon and I tumbled around and around under the sand. I could barely breathe, barely see. I had to use my Jedi senses to …”
 
“Andrew. Shut up.” Buffy had had all she could stand.

 

“But… this is the best part,” he whined. Buffy flexed her hand. Andrew gulped nervously, raised his hand up to his bruised throat, and shut up.
 
Buffy took a deep breath and let it out slowly, taking in his story. After a few moments, she said, “So, you, Rack, and Warren made a plan to get out of this hell. You drew an extra vial of blood from Annie when you drew the two for me. After robbing all the banks around town, The Trio of Desolation climbed up the crane and Warren double-crossed you and Rack, somehow dropping you both down into the pit.
 
“Bob went after Rack first, probably sensing the power he had. After it ate him, it pulled you under the sand to stash away for later, which is apparently what it had done with Spike earlier, since it had just eaten Oz. You somehow found his sword – probably pried it out of his hand since he was unconscious, and ...” Buffy paused and considered this a little while longer before concluding, “When you were rolling around in the pit trying to get away from it, the bug rolled over on you and impaled itself on the sword.”
 
Andrew pursed his lips indignantly and huffed out a breath as he folded his arms over his chest. “No one appreciates epic tales of heroism anymore,” Andrew muttered under his breath. The fact that he could no longer meet her eyes told her she was pretty close to right.
 
After a moment, he looked back up at her. “I got Spike out of the pit and back here. That was a task even the strongest Jedi would’ve had trouble with, let me tell you,” he informed her tersely. “I had to drag him up that demonic sand trap, then all the way back here through the sewers. Thank Yoda he weighs less than you.”
 
“He sooo does not!” Buffy objected belligerently.
 
Andrew rolled his eyes and made a face that said ‘yes he does’, but he didn’t verbalize it again. He wasn’t that dumb.
 
Buffy took a breath and let it out slowly – that was so not the point.
 
“So, Rack’s dead?” she asked after a moment.
 
Andrew nodded.
 
“And Warren’s running around in my dimension?” she continued.
 
Again Andrew nodded.
 
“Swell…” Buffy moaned rubbing her eyes. “I don’t suppose you have any more of Annie’s blood that you kept back, you know, just in case?”
 
Andrew shook his head.
 
“And Dawn’s … gone,” she muttered, more to herself than him. “Rack’s gone … Tara’s gone …” Everyone that could possibly open the portal was gone. Everyone that could possibly work a spell to send her back in time was gone. This was just getting better and better.
 
After a few moments, Andrew broke the uncomfortable silence. “Using my superior reasoning skills, I cleverly deduced later why the Reds had left the battleground. With all the other warriors dead, they were reorganizing and getting ready to launch an attack on us here. It was only a little while after I got back here with Spike that they attacked.
 
“Luckily, I had brought Spike in here. It’s the only place they haven’t figured out how to get into … yet.”
 
“So, you just left everyone else out there to die?” she questioned, waving an arm back down the hall towards the door. “What happened to ‘helping those weaker than yourself’ and all that other crap you were spewing earlier?”
 
“I … just … it … well …” he stammered. Finally he said, “I didn’t actually know we were under attack until it was too late to help anyone. I was … trying to wake Spike up.”
 
“I sooo don’t want to know how you were trying to wake him up.” Buffy looked back over at Spike. “I assume you never succeeded?”
 
A bright pink blush rose up Andrew’s neck and warmed his cheeks as he shifted uncomfortably in his chair. “No. He says stuff sometimes, but it’s like he’s talking in his sleep more than actually … you know, talking. I don’t think he actually wants to wake up … ‘cos I can’t find anything physically wrong with him. I’ve checked everywhere … uhhhh … I mean … you know … being a medic I would naturally … check him.”

 

Buffy snorted and shook her head before pushing back to standing. She kept one hand on the table waiting for the room to start spinning again, but it didn’t. She blew out a relieved breath and walked back over to Spike.
 
“I’ll show you how to wake him up,” she announced confidently. She leaned over and picked up the sword where Andrew had dropped it and pressed the end of one finger against the tip, drawing a bright red spot of blood to her skin.

 

She would’ve made a bigger cut, but the floor had just stopped tilting; she didn’t want to chance it.  She walked over to Spike and slowly drew her bloody finger under his nose, not touching him. His nostrils flared. Then she touched it to his lips and pressed it between them. His demon surfaced. She could feel his tongue touch her finger, then twirl around it tasting the blood. A low purring growl began to rumble from his throat.
 
She leaned down and put her mouth next to his ear. “Spike, it’s Buffy. Wake up now … c’mon, Spike. Buffy needs you,” she whispered to him.
 
“Buffy?” he murmured, the sound muffled slightly by her finger, his breath cool on her skin.
 
“Yeah, Spike. It’s me. It’s Buffy. Wake up now.”
 
Buffy pulled her finger back out of his mouth and looked at it. The small slice was completely closed up. She watched him for a moment as his Adam’s apple bobbed in his throat and he licked his lips. She was starting to think that wouldn’t be enough, that she’d have to offer more blood, when his eyes fluttered open.
 
Buffy gave him a small smile and smoothed his curls back away from his face. “Hey – guess which stubborn bint didn’t follow your orders and came back,” she teased lightly, looking into his eyes.
 
“Bloody hell…”
 
**~**

{{  Click here to hear Land of Confusion by Genesis on YouTube  }}

I must've dreamed a thousand dreams
Been haunted by a million screams
But I can hear the marching feet
They're moving into the street.

Now did you read the news today
They say the danger's gone away
But I can see the fire's still alight
There burning into the night.

There's too many men
Too many people
Making too many problems
And not much love to go round
Can't you see
This is a land of confusion.

This is the world we live in
And these are the hands we're given
Use them and let's start trying
To make it a place worth living in.

Ooh Superman where are you now
When everything's gone wrong somehow
The men of steel, the men of power
Are losing control by the hour.

This is the time
This is the place
So we look for the future
But there's not much love to go round
Tell me why, this is a land of confusion.

This is the world we live in
And these are the hands we're given
Use them and let's start trying
To make it a place worth living in.

I remember long ago -
Ooh when the sun was shining
Yes and the stars were bright
All through the night
And the sound of your laughter
As I held you tight
So long ago -

I won't be coming home tonight
My generation will put it right
We're not just making promises
That we know, we'll never keep.

Too many men
There's too many people
Making too many problems
And not much love to go round
Can't you see
This is a land of confusion.

Now this is the world we live in
And these are the hands we're given
Use them and let's start trying
To make it a place worth fighting for.

This is the world we live in
And these are the names we're given
Stand up and let's start showing
Just where our lives are going to.
End Notes:
Well, did you guess correctly about who saved Buffy??

What's Buffy gonna do now? All her plans for getting home or going back in time to fix things have turned to shit. Rack and Tara are dead. They have no Key blood, and even if they did, the portal has been closed from the other side by Warren. And they're trapped inside Room 314 by the Reds.

And what about William, Bess, and Angel - how are they gonna fare when the Reds catch up with them? Can they find Buffy or can she find them? Will William end up being a help or a further hindrance to their efforts?

And finally, just what do you think Andrew did to try and wake Spike up? :O heehee!

Lots more to come!!
Regrets by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Unpexpected!Spike, still lost in William's persona and remembering the hallucinations he shared with Buffy, is faced with horrors beyond his ability to comprehend. When his instinct takes over, will he do something that he will regret? Gift-less!Spike has been awoken, will he be able to offer Buffy anything other than regrets?
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Friday, May 6th, 2011, Gift-less Universe:
 
Angel came to a stop at the door that led into the basement of the mansion on Crawford Street, holding up a hand, silently telling Bess to stop.  She stopped just behind him, still holding onto her father’s hand tightly, lest he try to bolt away from the crazy, naked girl.
 
“What is this place?” William asked, his voice loud in the empty sewer tunnel.
 
“Shhhhhhh!” Bess admonished him as Angel leaned an ear against the door. She looked back at the man that looked more-or-less like Spike, but talked exactly like William. She could only guess that the bile inside the octopus had burned his hair off, leaving just a short nap of brown instead of his typical peroxided longer locks. The Gem had healed his body, but his hair was just starting to grow back. She held her finger to her lips. Then she quietly whispered, “It’s our house.”
 
Our house?” he questioned, keeping his voice lower this time. “I can state unequivocally that I would not tolerate a person such as yourself in my house. You are obviously quite … uncultured. While, as a rule I try not to judge books by their covers, you, my dear, aren’t wearing any covers.”
 
“Neither are you,” Bess reminded him, raking her eyes up and down his nude form and letting them linger on his free hand, which covered his groin.
 
William shifted uncomfortably under her scrutiny, but lifted his chin defiantly and fought to keep his composure. “Indeed … but I’m quite certain that…”
 
“Would you two shut up?” Angel hissed at them in a stage whisper. “A vampire can’t hear himself think with all your blabbing.”

 

Bess and William quieted. William looked at him again with grave misgivings. What a queer thing to say.
 
Angel put his ear back against the door. After a moment he said, “I don’t hear anything.”
 
He pushed the door open a crack and peered in. There didn’t seem to be anything … demonic or otherwise, there. He pushed it the rest of the way open and stepped into the dark basement of the mansion.
 
“Where is everything?” Bess wondered, looking around.
 
“I don’t know,” Angel murmured as he walked further into the room. “It looks like … well, pretty much like it did when I lived here.”
 
“What does that mean?” Bess pondered, pulling William into the basement with her.
 
Angel shook his head but walked fairly purposefully over towards the stairs, however he didn’t start up them. Instead, he bent down, went underneath them, and pulled out a large trunk.
 
“What’s that?” Bess asked. “How did you know it was there?”
 
Angel shook his head in bewilderment. “It’s … They’re Drusilla’s clothes. Buffy and I put them down here after…” He looked at William, but there was no recognition on his grand-childe’s face for either name.
 
Angel opened the trunk and pulled out a floor-length dress. The skirt was crushed velvet the color of rich merlot; the lacy, sleeveless bodice was a brighter red, about the color of blood, over black. He handed it to Bess to put on.


 
Bess eyed it suspiciously and held it up. “I can’t fight in this,” she protested.
 
“Never stopped Dru,” Angel mumbled as he continued digging around in the trunk.
 
“Who’s Dru?”
 
Angel snorted softly. “Ask your father when he … snaps out of his retro-phase.”
 
Bess sighed and pulled it on over her head. It was a bit long for her, but wasn’t too bad of a fit otherwise.
 
“Well ... this is interesting...” Angel muttered as he stood up and held out a black t-shirt and jeans to William. "Here – these are yours."
 
William took the proffered clothing by reflex, but looked at them dubiously. “I can say with complete certainty that these are not mine. They appear to belong to a hoodlum or perhaps a … stevedore.”
 
“Just try them on, Willie,” Angel chided. “It’s better to be a dressed hoodlum than a nude gentlemen, wouldn’t you say?”
 
William stared at Angel and he felt a strange tightness in his chest. Willie … the Irishman … the monster, had called him Willie.
 
“Why are Spike’s clothes in here with these women’s clothes?” Bess wondered, looking at Angel.
 
“Well, apparently, things here aren’t quite the way I remember them,” Angel admitted, pulling on one of Spike’s t-shirts. It barely came down to his navel and girded his arms tightly.
 
“Not your best look,” Bess told him. “And it doesn’t really cover anything … private,” she pointed out, lowering her eyes to his groin and then back up to his face.
 
Angel sighed and pulled the shirt off. “I’m going upstairs to see what else is different. Some of my clothes might still be here. And maybe …” he shrugged and let his voice trail off, leaving the ‘maybe door’ hanging wide open. Maybe in this world Spike and Dru had both dusted in the fight over Acathla. Maybe he still lived here. Maybe with Buffy.
 
“You guys stay here,” he instructed Bess and William. Angel headed up the stairs, stopping to listen at the door before entering the main level of the house.
 
When he was gone, Bess went to the trunk and began rummaging around more. “Hey – here are some of your boots,” she began, picking them up. When she moved them though, they started falling apart. “Never mind,” she sighed. “Dry rotted.”
 
“Who is that man?” William asked as he watched her.

 

“Angel?” Bess questioned, pulling out more long dresses, capes, t-shirts and jeans, even some lacy night clothes and jewelry. “Ooo, look at this!” she exclaimed, pulling out a velvet jewelry box and opening it up. “Rubies!”
 
She took it out of the box and started to put it on. William took it from her and Bess turned around and lifted her hair up so he could hook it behind her neck.

 

“How does it look?” she asked when she turned back around, running a finger over it.
 
An image flashed in William’s mind of an attractive, dark-haired woman wearing that necklace and that dress. He tried to see more of the image, but it was gone almost as quickly as it appeared.
 
“Well?”
 
“Uhhh,” William stammered a moment, refocusing. “It’s quite fetching,” he assured her. “Now, do please answer my query. Who is that man?”
 
“He’s your grand…” Bess stopped. If she said grand-sire, that would only open up ten thousand more questions. “…father.”
 
William’s brows shot up.
 
At his confused and questioning look, she silently cursed herself. “I mean, my grandfather,” Bess amended quickly, giving him a nervous smile.
 
William didn’t believe her, but let it go for the moment. “And where is my Elizabeth? You said you would bring me to her,” he reminded Bess.
 
“Right – and I will. Angel’s checking to see if she’s here,” Bess stalled, looking anxiously up at the stairs. What was taking him so long?
 
“I thought he went to retrieve clothing.”
 
“And check on your wife,” Bess assured him.
 
“Why don’t I believe you?” William wondered, narrowing his eyes at her.

 

“Dad,” Bess began softly, taking a step towards him. “Please listen to me now. Your wife, my mother, sent me to find you and bring you to her. We may have gotten a little … lost on the way back, but I swear that I’ll get you home to her, you just have to trust me.”
 
William stared at her, his eyes narrowed and head tilted to the side, as he considered her words. “Why should I? Why should I believe anything you say? You say you are my daughter, but my daughter, Bess, is but a child. You insist on calling me Spike, a name I am certain I would never assume. You say you know my wife, but you call her a name I’ve never heard. You say you are bringing me to her, yet you lead me to an empty basement.”
 
“I know it looks a little … wonky,” Bess agreed. “But I swear we’ll find a way out of this. Just please trust me a little while longer.”
 
“I don’t, at the moment, seem to have any other choice,” William spat out tersely. “But I can say unequivocally that I do not like, nor trust, that man,” he growled, jabbing a finger at the door Angel went through.
 
Bess almost laughed, but held it in. “Some things never change,” she murmured as she turned around and started looking through the trunk some more.
 
There wasn’t anything else of interest in there so she dropped the lid back down. Then she noticed that it wasn’t the only trunk hidden under the stairs. She slid the clothing trunk out of the way, and pulled another one out from behind it. This one was locked. She easily broke the lock with a quick jerk of her hand and opened it.
 
Her eyes went wide with delight. “Weapons!” she exclaimed, picking up a stake and instinctively starting to slide it into the waistband of her jeans … forgetting that she didn’t have on jeans.
 
“Shoot,” she murmured, trying to remember where she used to carry her stake when she was first Chosen. She went back to the other trunk and pulled out a long, black, shimmering cape that had pockets sewn into it and swung it around her shoulders. Then she stuffed a stake into one pocket and a dagger into the other.
 
“Here,” she offered, turning to William and handing him a stake as well.
 
“Do you know what that’s for?” she asked him as he eyed the sharpened wood.
 
“Certainly. Avengelyne told me of such beings. I even had the … misfortune of meeting one.” William clenched his jaw and swallowed back the memory of his wife dying in his arms after being attacked by the Irish vampire that he’d unwittingly invited into his home. The one that had an uncanny resemblance to their traveling companion.
 
“Good,” Bess replied, as she turned her attention back to the weapons trunk, not picking up on his distress at all. “Don’t be afraid to use it.”
 
“Here, you can have this too,” she called over her shoulder, pulling out a broadsword from the trunk, then turning around to hand it to him.
 
William looked at her blankly. “I do not have any experience with such a weapon. I did some fencing when I was a lad, perhaps you have a foil?”

 

“A foil?” Bess questioned, looking at him like he was, well … crazy. “This isn’t fencing, this is a brawl,” she informed him. “Stevedores don’t use foils, they use broadswords.”
 
“Do you have any idea what a stevedore is, young lady?” he asked, taking the sword from her hand. The weight surprised him – he thought it would be quite heavy, but he wielded it easily. He took a few practice swipes in the air with it.
 
“Of course I do! It’s a Spanish guy in tights and a gaudy jacket with epaulettes. They wear Mickey Mouse ears and fight bulls,” Bess replied as she bent back over the weapons chest. “It’s not a fair fight. I’m personally opposed to unfair fights. I even signed a petition once – denouncing unfair fights.”

 

William stopped swinging the sword and stared solidly at her back. That sounded like something his Elizabeth would say. In fact, if he’d closed his eyes, he could see his wife’s indignant expression as if she were insulted that he would even ask such a thing.
 
William was just about to say something about that when Angel came rushing back through the basement door at the top of the stairs.
 
“Let’s go!” he commanded as he leapt down from the top of the landing all the way to the basement floor. He was still nude. “Those demons are swarming the house!”
 
“Here! Weapons!” Bess called quickly, tossing him a double-edged axe and then a stake, and grabbing a machete for herself.
 
“Let’s go, William,” Bess urged, grabbing his arm and pulling him towards the sewer entrance.
 
The door to the sewers suddenly flew open and banged against the wall behind it with a thunderous clatter. At the same time, the door above that led to the house proper crashed open as well.
 
Reds began to stream in from both fronts. Bess, Angel, and William were trapped between the devil and the … devil.
 
**~**
 

“Thank Yoda!” Andrew exclaimed in glee, jumping up and down and clapping his hands giddily when he heard Spike’s voice. The vamp’s words were deep and rough from disuse, but coherent. He was awake.
 
“Blood from the Slayer of the Vampyrs: the only elixir with the power and passion to wake the handsome, sleeping warrior. The sweet red wine of his mortal enemy and one true love proves to be the only balm rich enough to soothe his restless spirit and deliver him from his self-imposed prison of eternal torment.
 
“Like Gandalf the White, resurrected from the pit of the Balrog, our own creature of the night, el creatro del noche, has arisen, more beautiful than ever…”
 
“Please stop!” Buffy and Spike exclaimed in unison.
 
Andrew spoke dreamily, folding his hands together under his chin as he looked off into space. “But it’s so … beautiful. So romantic … like Romeo and Juliet, Princess Leia and Han Solo, Clark Kent and Lois ...”
 
“If you don’t stop your bloody yammering, I’ll bite you,” Spike threatened as he started to sit up.
 
“And then I’ll pummel you,” Buffy added, giving Andrew a saccharine smile.
 
Andrew snorted, folded his arms over his chest, turned on his heel, and started walking out of the room. “Why do I even bother?” he muttered under his breath, shaking his head in frustration as he left them alone.
 
Buffy helped Spike sit up, placing one hand under his arm. “What the bloody hell are ya’ doing here, Slayer?” Spike asked angrily. “What the hell am I doin’ here for that soddin’ matter!?”
 
Buffy gave him the best innocent smile she could manage, but didn’t answer. She wasn’t actually sure of the answer to either question.
 
“Don’t tell me you came back just to save me!” he growled at her. “You stubborn, stupid bint!”

 

“Noooo … I didn’t save you, I just woke you up. Your savior is the Chatty Cathy Dungeon Master there,” Buffy informed Spike, backing up a step and waving her arm toward the doorway Andrew just exited through.
 
“Oh, bloody hell,” Spike moaned, rubbing his eyes with one hand, then running it over his face jerkily. “Saved by the poofter. Could my life get any more pathetic?”
 
Finally, he looked back at Buffy. “That don’t explain what you’re doin’ here,” he pointed out.
 
Buffy took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “I don’t actually know how I got back here,” she admitted. “I was taking the garbage cans out to the curb and ...” she paused a moment, thinking. “… and there was like this explosion. I could feel it more than see it or hear it. It was everywhere and nowhere at all … like it was coming from inside me, then …” she shook her head, chewing on her bottom lip as she thought. Finally she gave up and shrugged. “Then I was in the bug pit again… The bug’s dead, by the way; the Jedi Knight on your staff apparently slayed it with your blessed sword.”
 
Andrew killed Bob?” Spike asked incredulously.
 
Buffy shrugged. “I think the bug hauled him under the sand. Somehow, he found you and the sword, which he took from you. In his effort to get away, the bug rolled over on him and impaled itself. If you ask him, however, you’ll get a story fit for Grimm’s with ginormous rations of fairy tale mixed with delusions of grandeur, but missing the handy life lesson at the end. Trust me, I’ve heard it. You do not want to go there.”

 

Spike rolled his eyes. He’d heard enough of Andrew’s stories in the past; Buffy’s version was probably closer to the truth than anything he’d get from the poofter anyway. Loud popping sounds came from his spine as he tilted his head back and forth, stretching his disused muscles. He swung his legs over the edge of the gurney and slid them to the floor.
 
“Well, we need to get you back ‘ome,” he told her as he began looking around for his duster and sword.
 
“Yeah … I’m thinking that’s gonna be a little harder than last time,” Buffy informed him.
 
“Yeah, I know, but we’ll just have to work faster. You don’t have the Platelet to carry, we should be able to move faster. The jib's still in place, I reckon, so we can get the portal open and you gone ‘fore the Reds pick up on it.”
 
“That’s just it, Spike. We don’t have any way to open the portal without … a Key,” Buffy pointed out, looking at him with a mixture of anger and disappointment.
 
“You went back after I left Dawn’s room and killed her, didn’t you?” she questioned, even though she already knew the answer.
 
Spike stopped looking around and turned back to face her. He blew out a deep breath and shook his head regretfully. “Had to, Slayer. We weren’t comin’ back from that,” he admitted with a shaky voice.
 
“And yet, here you are … and Dawn’s dead.”
 
Spike pursed his lips together and narrowed his eyes at her. “Did what I had t’ do. Do you have any idea what would’ve happened to her if the Reds had …” Spike’s voice broke off and his Adam’s apple bobbed as he swallowed back his emotions. He suddenly couldn't meet her eyes. “Don’t need you judgin’ me, Slayer. I do enough o’ that all on my bloody own.”

 

Buffy held up her hands as if in surrender. “Fine, Spike – no judging,” she agreed, her voice softening. She knew he paid a heavy price for what he’d done; he didn’t need her rubbing salt in the festering wound.
 
“But that still means we have no Key to open the portal – unless you have some stored in a freezer?” she asked hopefully. Spike shook his head, his hands planted on his hips, and his eyes trained on the floor.
 
“I figured …” Buffy admitted. “So … to continue the good news: you, me, and ‘the poofter’ are all that’s left – I doubt we have enough magic between us to float a pencil. And the other good news is, the Jacks have taken over the rest of the complex – we’re stuck in here and I’m not even sure there’s a bathroom. It could get really stinky.”
 
“There’s a bathroom!” Andrew interjected, coming back in the room. “But I wouldn’t go in there just now. We have a year’s worth of toilet paper but no air fresheners.”
 
“Well, thank God for one small favor,” Spike groaned.
 
**~**

 

Bess pushed her father back into a corner of the basement as Angel turned to face the tall, red-eyed demons that were converging on them from upstairs. The dark vamp began swinging his axe at them in earnest, going for their necks, but often missing and hitting their arms or shoulders.
 
Once her father was out of the direct line of fire, Bess turned to face the demons flooding in from the sewers. She had an even harder time hitting their necks, being as she was so much shorter than Angel, and the machete wasn’t nearly as long as the axe she’d given him. Damn!
 
“What the hell are these things?!” Bess screamed out as she slammed her blade into the nearest Red’s stomach and pulled it back out quickly, already swinging towards another advancing demon.
 
“I don’t…” Angel started when he finally got a perfect shot and decapitated one. The demon burst into sparkling red glitter, which floated down to the floor like twinkling dust motes. “Vampires!” he announced loudly. “They’re vampires!”
 
Bess’ eyes went wide and a small smile curved the corners of her mouth. “And I’m a Vampire Slayer,” she muttered to herself as she transferred the machete to her left hand and pulled the stake out of the pocket of her cloak.
 
The dress she was in was limiting her movement, as she’d feared it would, but she had no way to get out of it now. She doubted the tall vampires would give her a time-out for a uniform adjustment. One of the Reds swatted at her head with a large, bony hand. She ducked under it and charged forward with the stake. She embedded it into the vamp’s chest perfectly and … nothing happened.
 
“What the fuck!?” she exclaimed as the Red screamed in pain, but didn’t dust. “Wood doesn’t dust them!” she yelled at Angel, who had his hands full with a horde of his own.
 
The vamp she’d staked recovered from the pain of the wood shoved into its chest and wrapped its arms around her, pulling her up towards its bright red lips and long, sharp fangs. Bess swung the machete in her left hand and it came around and embedded into the vamp’s lower back. It shrieked an ear-splitting cry and dropped her as it reached backwards towards the blade that was embedded in its spine.
 
Just as Bess escaped that demon’s hold, two more came up from each side of her and converged on her at once. She tried to pull the machete out of the first one’s spine, but was knocked down onto the floor by the other two before she could.
 
“Spike!” she screamed at her father, who was watching the mayhem from the corner, his eyes wide with fear and disbelief. “Help me!”
 
William watched the large creatures knock the girl down and he swallowed hard. There were so many of them and they were so large! He gripped the hilt of the sword she’d given him with both hands. He was holding it so tightly that his fingers ached with the strain, his knuckles colored a ghostly white as all the blood was forced out of them.
 
“Spike!” she screamed again as she retrieved the dagger she’d put into her other pocket. Bess was a blur of flailing arms and legs as she fought against the larger, stronger beasts, slashing at them with the dagger.
 
Her efforts paid off and gained her a bit of space to fight. She stabbed up at one of the large, wiry vamps that was atop her and embedded the dagger in its hard, flat stomach. The red-eyed vamp screamed a glass-shattering shriek and jerked back away from her as blood spurted from the wound.
 
Bess twisted the dagger once and then yanked out, bringing another piercing screech from the demon’s red lips. When it pulled back from her, she punched the wounded vamp in the jaw with her free hand, sending it sprawling onto the floor. Dazed, the demon tumbled off Bess and rolled several feet away, directly towards William.
 
The vamp held long, thin fingers over the wound in its abdomen and began to get back to its feet and rejoin the fray when it saw William standing there. For moment, the two just looked at each other, William’s blue eyes locked onto the smoldering red of the tall demon. The vamp lifted its face and sniffed. Its eyes fell slowly closed as if it just had breathed in something wonderfully, mouth-wateringly delicious. William was afraid that what it smelled was his absolute terror.
 
The Red opened its eyes languidly, as if coming down from a high, and its bright red lips curled into an evil grin. “Sssspike…” the demon hissed at him as the fire behind its eyes flared brighter.
 
William’s eyes went wide with fear and shock. Why did everyone insist on calling him that – even the blasted demons? The Red started to rise and move towards William, who was backed into a corner of the basement. William tried to scream out for help but couldn’t get any sound out past his heart, which had, quite inconveniently, lodged in his throat. Before the wounded Red could get up from its knees, William sucked in a deep, shaky breath, raised the sword with both hands, and came down with all his strength on the demon’s neck.
 
Despite his terror, his aim was true. The demon burst into red sparkles and floated lazily to the floor of the basement. William squealed in glee, “I did it! Did you see? Bess! I did it!” he exclaimed as he moved forward a step.
 
But Bess didn’t see. “Dear Lord!” William exclaimed when he looked back at her; she was covered with four of the giant monsters.
 
Something instinctual took over at that moment for William. He suddenly felt just the same way he had that day when the Irish vampire had invaded his home – desperately protective. He hadn’t been able to save Theresa or Cassandra that day, and he hadn’t been able to save the one woman in the world he loved more than life itself. Despite knowing that he couldn’t possibly win this fight either – the odds were simply too overwhelming – he had no choice but to try.
 
William moved without thinking, his demon rising without him even realizing it. He swung the sword down at the neck of the closest Red, dusting it cleanly. When William began moving, wielding his sword and dusting Reds, the flow of demons into the basement slowed to a trickle and some of the large demons that were there began retreating.
 
Over the last few days, rumors had spread through all the Reds' clans that the traitorous vamp who had been the single deadliest thorn in their side was dust. He didn’t look too dusty just now.
 
When the last of the demons that had been atop her was nothing but sparkling red glitter covering Bess’ velvet and lace dress, she rolled back past William, who had taken over the fight on her front. She stopped when she hit the wall of the basement and pressed her palm down on the worst of her wounds: a large, deep bite on her neck.
 
Her whole body ached from the punches and kicks she’d endured, and her brain was fuzzy from some blows she’d taken to the head and loss of blood. The small blonde still held her dagger in one hand as she tried to staunch the bleeding with the other. She took a few ragged breaths to calm herself. If her heart still needed to beat, it would’ve been racing out of her chest about now. She hadn’t been that close to defeat since …
 
She squeezed her eyes closed and willed herself to not think that way. Don’t think about the Tower Gardens or defeat. That was in the past. Spike was here – nothing like that was going to happen again. She wasn’t alone anymore.
 
After gathering her wits and calming herself for a few more moments, she dared a glance at the two men who were now fighting the large red-eyed demons. There were only three of the tall vamps left in the basement; the rest had either retreated or were piles of glittery dust on the floor.
 
When the last of the vamps that William was fighting exploded into dust, he turned back to Bess. “Are you injured?” he asked with concern as he moved quickly across the floor towards her.
 
“I’ll be alright,” she assured him. She didn’t really sound completely sure, though. She was lying as still as possible, her back pressed against the wall, her hand still pressed down on the wound on her neck. “Your fencing lessons … seemed to have … paid off,” she stuttered, her voice barely over a whisper.
 
William dropped into a squat in front of her, his yellow eyes wide with adrenaline from the fight. “Did you see? I honestly don’t know how I…” he stopped and shook his head, not able to comprehend how he’d been able to fight so effectively. “They turn into … red fairy dust. Isn’t that the queerest thing?” he asked her, picking up some of the glitter from the floor and letting it fall through his fingers.
 
Bess started to nod, but stopped abruptly – it made her head spin. She closed her eyes to try and get the woozy feeling to clear. “Yeah … queer,” was all she could choke out past the dizziness and pain that shot out from the gaping wound on the side of her throat.
 
Angel finally finished off the last Red he’d been fighting and walked over to the other two. “We probably need to find somewhere else to hold up until we can figure this out,” he suggested. “Maybe the Magic Box or … Revello Drive. There’s nothing here. Buffy hasn’t been here in a long time – no one has.”
 
William turned to look at Angel when he spoke and that feeling of his heart being lodged in his throat returned. Angel’s brow was ridged, his sharp, deadly fangs protruded from his lips, and his demonic, yellow eyes looked down on William and Bess.

 

“You!” William snarled at him. “It was you!” he accused, lifting his sword deftly and placing it at the base of Angel’s throat. “You killed them!”
 
“What the hell are you talking about now, Spike?” Angel asked incredulously, taking a step back. “They were trying to kill us! They’re demons!”
 
William sprang up to his feet and stalked towards the larger vamp, his sword trained on the larger man’s throat. Angel began to raise his axe slowly as he continued backing up and away from his grand-childe.
 
“William, no!” Bess called from behind him, but William didn’t respond; he didn’t stop or turn back towards her.
 
William’s mind whirled and spun as the memory of worst day of his life ran rampant within him, as if it were playing out all over again in front of his eyes. How could he have not realized before? Yes, the hair was different, the accent was gone … but this was him. Now that the monster had revealed its demonic self, William knew with utter certainty that this was the vampire that had ripped his heart out by taking his wife’s life.
 
“They were people! They were alive and vibrant and … beautiful people and you!” William seethed at Angel as he closed in on the larger vamp. “You killed them! You took her away from me, and now you’re trying to trick me. Telling me that she sent you and that you’d bring me to her here. What sort of game are you playing at?”
 
“Spike,” Angel started scornfully.
 
“STOP CALLING ME THAT!” William screamed at him, pressing the tip of his sword against the hollow at the base of the larger vamp’s throat.
 
“William, don’t,” Bess called again from behind him. The effort of saying the words so loudly made her head swim. Despite the wooziness, she knew she needed to stand, to go to him and calm him down. She pushed herself to her knees, taking deep breaths as her head began to whirl faster even as her body became more sluggish. She reached up and touched a knot the size of a goose egg on the back of her skull. She jerked her fingers away quickly as a sharp pain stabbed into her brain from the light pressure of her fingertips against the bulging hematoma.
 
She closed her eyes and rose to her feet unsteadily, still breathing deeply to try and stop the tornado that swirled in her mind. The breathing really didn’t help, but it was something to do, the only thing she could think of. Her stomach roiled and she swayed like a drunken sailor as she tried to stand upright. Reaching a hand out, she balanced herself against the basement wall, and willed the floor to stop tilting beneath her. It worked … a little.
 
After a moment, Bess took one tentative step towards the two arguing vamps, but her foot tangled in the long hem of her skirt and she tripped. She reached out towards the wall and tried to catch herself, but only succeeded in turning her body so that she was no longer falling forward, but backwards instead. She crumpled in a heap of bloodied velvet and lace on the floor of the basement, a couple of feet away from the wall. The goose egg on the back of her head slammed into the hard concrete and sent black tendrils of agony out in all directions. When the dark fingers of pain reached her eyes, they pressed in and forced her lids closed. Bess fought it for a moment, but her swimming mind and aching body finally gave into the relief that unconsciousness promised.
 
William barely noticed the movement behind him, his focus entirely on the vamp he held at the end of his sword. “Tell me why,” he demanded of Angel.
 
“Sp…William,” Angel began through clenched teeth. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
 
“Why did you kill them? Why did you kill Elizabeth? Tell. Me. Why,” William hissed, the last words coming as short, hot explosions of fury. The grief and guilt over his wife’s death had morphed into unbridled anger at the monster who William knew, without one shadow of a doubt, had killed her.
 
 “I didn’t kill anyone,” Angel insisted. His back was against the wall, literally and figuratively. He didn’t know what Spike was talking about. What he did know was Spike’s addled mind was going to get them all dusted.
 
 “You killed the woman that was my destiny!” William screamed at him, pressing the blade harder against Angel’s throat and drawing a trickle of blood.
 
You killed Dru, you dumbass!” Angel informed him tersely, moving his free hand across his body slowly and setting it in a firm grip on the handle of his axe.

 

“I’ve never killed anyone in my life … except you,” William retorted, his voice growing calmer, colder as he focused his anger. “You are a monster.”
 
“You always were a bit simple, Willie,” Angel snarled as he reached the end of his patience, his own anger growing. “People in glass houses...”
 
Keeping his head nearly still, Angel turned his shoulders and torso quickly to his right, the side the axe was on, then back again, swinging the blade at William’s left arm and the sword he held there.
 
William reacted instantly, instinctively, not having time to think, and blocked the blow with the blade of the sword. The handle of the axe banged against the blade loudly in the cavernous basement. Angel took the opportunity to move away from the wall and backed into the center of the room, keeping his eyes trained on the smaller vamp. William turned as Angel moved, keeping his eyes on him the whole way, as well. The two men began circling each other slowly, stalking each other, looking for an opening, readying their weapons for another strike.
 
“You really don’t want to do this, William,” Angel advised the younger vamp as he moved slowly to his right, looking for an opening. “You’ll never win. You’ve never been able to beat me.”
 
“Do not mistake me, Liam,” William retorted, practically spitting Angel’s human name. “It appears I am quite capable. Do you not see the sparkling dust at your feet? Avengelyne told me of her life slaying monsters like you, I am not ignorant of your kind.”
 
“Who the fuck is Avengelyne?” Angel demanded, never taking his eyes off his adversary.
 
“She is the woman you killed in my home … or one of them. Have you slain so many that you cannot remember their faces or their names any longer? I assure you, their husbands and sons, fathers and brothers, remember yours quite succinctly.”
 
“I was never in your home, William,” Angel asserted. “You killed your wife!”
 
William’s eyes blazed. The smoldering hate and anger inside him was fanned by the monster not even remembering the lives he took. How dare he lay the blame for that atrocity at William’s feet?
 
The monster had stolen Elizabeth’s pure, angelic love from him and the children: stolen her smile, her laughter, her stories, and joy from them. Suddenly there was an inferno billowing within William, an inferno demanding release. His emotions took over and pushed his logical mind back, leaving only instinct and raw hatred in its stead. This was no time to think or talk; this was time to act.
 
He lunged forward and swung his blade savagely at Angel’s neck. Angel blocked it deftly with the handle of the axe. The larger vamp then used the momentum and spun around in the opposite direction, faster than a human eye would’ve been able to see, and leveled his weapon’s blade at William’s neck. The blade hissed through the air in a wide arc, nothing more than a blur in the dark basement. William ducked at the last second. The axe whizzed past his head. If his hair had been longer, it would’ve given him a new ‘do. As it was, it simply raked across the ends of his short, dark buzz.
 
In a crouch, William pulled his sword back and jammed it straight ahead towards Angel’s torso, but the momentum of Angel’s swing carried him away – out of reach. Angel swung back around and the two men began stalking each other again with feline grace and predatory senses, looking for another opening.
 
Angel made the first move this time, hefting the axe above his head and coming straight down towards the top of William’s head with it as if he were splitting wood. William deflected the blow with his sword, and the two vamps traded several thrusts and parries with their weapons clanging together violently. As William blocked one particularly heavy blow from Angel’s axe, the blade smashed down and lodged into the floor. Before Angel could free it and lift it back up, William stomped down on the handle savagely with his bare foot.
 
Although the axe handle was made of strong, close-grained hickory wood, all the blows from William’s sword had weakened it. When his foot crashed against it, with all the demonic power of his adrenaline and rage, the handle splintered. Angel pulled back nothing but eighteen inches of wood; the blade of the axe was still fixed solidly in the floor.
 
Despite the splinters embedded in the bottom of his foot, William smirked and narrowed his eyes at his adversary. He lifted the sword as if to come straight down atop Angel with the sharp blade and Angel lifted the broken handle, putting one hand on each end of it, to block the blow. At the last moment, William whipped the sword in a semi-circle and arced it into Angel’s left forearm.
 
Angel screamed out, dropped the broken handle, and grabbed for the deep gash in his arm. Blood poured from the bone-deep wound and splattered his naked body as well as William’s black t-shirt and jeans. Angel began backing up away from William, looking around desperately for a new weapon to use against him.
 
It suddenly occurred to Angel that this vamp he was fighting had the Gem of Amarra … somewhere. How could he have forgotten that? “Son of a bitch,” he muttered to himself, realizing that no matter what weapon he found, short of a nuclear bomb, it would do him no good.
 
He held his arms up in surrender, still clutching the gaping wound in his left arm with his right. “Ok, William, you win,” he cajoled as he continued backing up towards the stairs that lead up to the first floor of the mansion.
 
William strode forward, sword pulled back, cocked, ready to strike. “You aren't the simpleton you appear on first glance,” he agreed as Angel’s back hit the wall next to the stairs.
 
William lunged forward then, spun three hundred and sixty degrees, and brought the sword around in a full circle, gathering momentum as he went. It cut through Angel’s arms, severing them with a gruesome crunch of bone, and tearing of skin and muscle. For the briefest of moments, the severed appendages spewed blood into the air like geysers, covering William, as well as the painting the ceiling above them, in bright red. Before Angel could even scream out from the pain, the sword continued on its trajectory, only stopping when it was embedded into the wooden wall of the basement at Angel’s back. At that moment, the blood stopped raining down on William.
 
For just a second, the large vamp’s painful and shocked expression hung in the air before gravity pulled the dark dust to the floor in an undignified heap.
 
William’s chest heaved with fury and vindication as he brushed the remnants of the monster from his clothes, sending more of Angel’s dust floating in the air. He kicked the pile of ash-like grit, then stomped down on it with his bare feet. Tears began to swim in his eyes and as he kicked and stomped the inert ashes.
 
As he raged against what was left of the Irishman, his tears coursed down his cheeks in torrents, dripping from his chin in a deluge of guilt and pain and misery. ‘You killed your wife!’ the monster had asserted. And was that not true? Had it not been him whom had invited the monster into his home? Hadn’t he allowed himself to be fooled by the stranger offering assistance? Hadn’t he been unable to defend his household from the monster?
 
Finally, William dropped down to hands and knees and punched the scattered remains of the monster that took his Avengelyne from him, but in the end, it didn’t make him feel any better. It wouldn’t bring her back; the love of his life was gone forever, and he was complicit in her murder.
 
After some time … how long he didn’t know, William finally stopped his assault on the now scattered ashes, completely exhausted. He sat back on his heels, raised his head to the ceiling, and howled out a long, mournful cry of frustration, pain, and loneliness.
 
He didn’t know where he was; he didn’t know how to get back to his family, back to Macaulay Road and his children. The girl’s promise that she was bringing him to his wife had apparently been nothing but a hoax, and killing the monster again hadn’t solved anything.
 
He closed his eyes and tried to think what to do now.
 
As he sat there, his heart and soul aching, the memory of Avengelyne’s ghostly voice clambered from the foggy haze of his mind and became clear, as if she were standing right next to him. After the Irish vampire attack, as he’d held his wife’s cold and bloodied body against his and wept, she’d spoken to him. Her lips didn’t move, her eyes never opened, her chest never rose with breath, but it was her voice he’d heard … or the voice of her ghost. The words had made no sense to him at the time, but suddenly they did – and they turned a dagger in the pit of his stomach.
 
William, listen now. Everything will be alright. Bess and Angel will be there soon. Just … just stay there, William. We’ll … we’ll be together again. Just stay there and wait for Bess and Angel. They’ll bring you to me.
 
“‘Bess and Angel will be there soon. They’ll bring you to me’,” he repeated aloud, startling himself in the deathly stillness of the basement. “Oh my lord…” he muttered, looking down at the scattered dust beneath his knees. “What have I done?”
 
William’s eyes flashed with panic and he leapt to his feet. He turned and quickly started back to where he’d last seen Bess, but stopped short. She was gone. He swiveled his head, looking around the empty basement – there really was nowhere she could hide; she wasn’t there. Under the stairs, he thought, turning around abruptly and taking long, purposeful steps towards the stairs. He looked under them where the trunks had been, but she wasn’t there either. He frantically opened the trunks – nothing.
 
“Bess?” he called out, tentatively.
 
No answer.
 
“Bess!” he called louder, turning in a circle. “Bess, do come out now. I’m … I didn’t know … I … Bess! Please!”
 
Nothing.
 
And then he saw it – a piece of velvet from her dress had snagged on a nail near the slightly ajar door that led into the sewers. He practically ran across the basement and flung the door all the way open.
 
“Bess!” he called down the tunnel, his voice echoing back to him.
 
He took off running down the tunnel. He had no idea where he was going; he simply had to find her. He had to find the only other person in this insane world that knew him and may know how to get out of here. He called her name time and again, but got no answer as he ran. William ran blindly, turning right and left and right again as he hurtled along, his panic rising higher with each step.
 
What had he done? Had his unquenchable need for vengeance and retribution cost him his only chance of finding his way home … of finding Avengelyne?

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Regrets by Mylene Farmer & Jean-Louis Mourat (in French, but beautifully and haunting)  on YouTube  }}

English translation:

Away, far away from the world,
where nothing can die,
I had this long,
this sweet journey.

Our souls are connected
by the eternal snow.
And love hid her true face.

Man's voice:
Oh, please, come to me,
don't be so careful, so wise.
Is this what really matters?
I do know the threat of the love which is dying.

Let's keep the innocence of our games.

The chorus:
Don't feel the regret,
Just trust me and think,
about all those "no way",
about the indifference of feelings.
Don't feel regret,
swear it for me, because you know
that autumn and winter just can't love each other.

Man's voice:
I stand here,
drunk, with numb mind
full of frozen dreams.
I drink for our broken love.

Woman's voice:

The wind that I recognize
I offer our caresses
and our secret promises.

Please, don't open this door
You know the trap of feeling bad
 and the courses.

Man's voice:
I don't care about the seasons,
please, come to me,
I will bring you there
where lovers can sleep together.

The chorus:

She: Don't feel...
He: PLEASE, COME THIS EVENING...
She: regret...
He: COME TO SEE ME...
She: just trust me and think about...
He: COME AND...
She: all those "no way"...
He: SIT NEXT TO ME...
She: about the indifference of feelings.
Please, don't feel...
He: THERE IS DAWN...
She: regret...
He: COME TO SEE ME... PLEASE, STOP...
She: swear to me, because you know...
He: I SWEAR YOU...
She: that autumn and winter...
He: TO BE THERE...
She: just can't love each other.
He: FOR ETERNITY.

End Notes:
Oh my! William dusted Angel ... again! What happened to Bess? Where did she go? Can William find her? Will Buffy realize that her Spike is near? Will they find each other? What will happen if William and Spike meet? And how are they gonna get out of this mess?

Thanks to everyone who's reading and extra special hugs to those of you who take time to leave reviews! I love hearing from you! Lots more to come!!
Bittersweet Symphony by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Unexpected!Spike is alone, searching for Bess, and still trapped in the persona of William. Back at base, Andrew has a plan. Is that frightening, or what? The Reds have one more surprise up their sleeves and our heroes are about to find out what it is.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading and to PaganBaby for always helping me with Andrew. Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
 Saturday, May 7th, 2011, Gift-less Universe, Room 314:
 
Spike looked past Buffy at Andrew. “What’d ya do with my bloody duster?” he asked just as he spied his sword and began stalking over to retrieve it. It was leaning up next to Buffy’s scythe near the door that led to the hallway … which led to the main complex and the Reds.
 
“You didn’t have it on. I dug in that sandbox a long time looking for it,” Andrew divulged with a disappointed sigh. “After all, what’s a superhero without his props? What’s Batman without the mask? What’s Superman without the cape? What’s Han Solo without…”

 

“I have it,” Buffy interjected, cutting him off. “Back … home.”
 
“Oh, right,” Spike groaned as he remembered shrugging out of it to keep her from pulling him into the portal with her and the Platelet.
 
“Feel naked without it,” he admitted, as he came back to where she was standing and handed her the scythe.
 
“Sorry. If I’d known I was coming by for a visit, I would’ve had it cleaned and returned it,” Buffy apologized with a hint of sarcasm.
 
Spike rolled his eyes. “No worries, reckon I can still fight just as well. Still the Biggest Bad, duster or no,” he claimed, taking a couple of practice swipes with his sword.
 
“The Biggest Bad right behind Andrew, you mean, who saved you and killed the bug, and me, who kicked your ass,” Buffy reminded him, giving him a sideways glance. “That makes you Third Biggest Bad … out of three.”
 
Spike narrowed his eyes at her. “Don’t start with me, Slayer. Not in the bloody mood for your…”

 

Suddenly there was a thunderous banging against the exterior door of Room 314, the door that led into the atrium. Andrew shrieked in surprise, covered his ears, and fled to another room while Buffy and Spike both turned towards the noise.
 
“Reckon it’s time to see who the biggest bad is, then,” Spike announced. “You up for a dance?”
 
Buffy’s fingers shot out splinters of pain when she gripped the handle of the scythe – Andrew’s neck had been a lot easier to squeeze, not nearly as thin; his flesh was all nice and squishy. She was also still woozy from blood loss and, to top everything off, her whole body felt like one giant bruise. “Born ready.”
 
The pair moved silently down the hallway towards the main door where the beating and banging was coming from. They flanked the door as the Reds outside continued to punish it, trying to get in. Spike stole a look through the small, thick, Plexiglas window and pulled back immediately. “Bloody hell,” he moaned as he leaned back against the wall and shook his head.
 
“What?” Buffy asked, leaning over to get her own look.
 
“Holy shit! What are they having babies or something!?” she asked rhetorically as she also pulled back from their line of vision. “There must be two … million of them out there!”
 
Spike snorted. “More like two hundred,” he corrected. “Might as well be two million,” he added under his breath.
 
Spike lowered his sword and let the tip touch the floor, then looked across the short distance at Buffy. “Right then. You’re the Biggest Bad, what’s the plan?”
 
“Oh no you don’t! You’re King Spike – you come up with the plan!” she shot back.

 

“Thought you didn’t like my soddin’ plans … said they always went to shite,” Spike barked back at her.
 
“Guys…” Andrew called from down the hall. They ignored him.
 
“What I said was, if you would tell someone the plan beforehand then they wouldn’t turn to shit,” Buffy corrected. “So … let’s hear it, Your Highness.”
 
“Hey, you guys,” Andrew tried again. They had to have heard him – but they just kept talking.
 
“Equal rights – you can be Queen – I’ll follow your plan,” Spike offered.
 
“Spike? Buffy?” Andrew tried. No reaction from the pair down the hall.
 
Buffy snorted a laugh. “Oh – well that’s really big of you! Make me Queen on the day we’re gonna die! Queen for a day – that’s swell, Spike. Very equal-righty.”
 
Suddenly there was an even louder crash against the door and the reinforced steel center of it crumpled inwards towards them. Buffy and Spike both shrieked slightly in surprise and jumped back.
 
“Need that plan now, Slayer!” Spike demanded as they both started backing down the hallway away from the door.
 
“You guys!” Andrew whined from behind them. “I have a plan!”
 
Another thunderous BOOM rattled the door in the frame and dented the metal in a different spot. It was still holding, but for how long?
 
“You want a plan?” Buffy asked Spike. “Here’s a plan: Run!”
 
They both turned and darted back down the hallway, bowling Andrew down as they entered the room they’d been in before.
 
“You guuuuys!” Andrew moaned as they slammed the secondary door closed and he picked himself up off the floor. “I have a plan!”
 
Buffy and Spike still weren’t paying any attention to him. They were both hauling cabinets and beds and bookshelves – anything they could move, to stack in front of the door.
 
Finally, Andrew stalked over and stood where they were piling the furnishings and, when they both got there with something new to add to the pile, he screamed, “I HAVE A PLAN!” at the top of his lungs, waving his arms out to his sides to add more emphasis to the shout.
 
Buffy and Spike stopped in mid-step and stared at him as if they’d forgotten he was even there.
 
You have a plan?” Spike drawled skeptically, setting the TV he was holding down on the floor at his feet. “You have a plan t’ get us outta here?”
 
“No,” Andrew replied, folding his arms over his chest indignantly. “There’s no way out of here,” he began to explain.
 
“Oh, then you have a plan to make us dead quicker, then?” Spike shot back.
 
“If you would just let me finish!” Andrew whined. “When they were handing out ‘patience’, you must’ve thought they said ‘prudence’ and skipped it.” Andrew scowled at him.

 

Buffy laughed. “You got that right.”
 
“You too.” Andrew turned and shot her a stern look, silencing her.
 
“Hey!” she began to object, but Andrew just talked over her.
 
“I have a plan to kill all those Reds. We don’t have to leave … although, you might want to hide in a cabinet or something,” he advised Spike.
 
“Bugger that! Big Bad doesn’t hide in soddin’ cabinets!” Spike argued. “What the bloody hell kinda plan you cooking up, Andrew?”
 
Andrew gestured up at the fire sprinklers in the ceiling. “I’m gonna rain holy water down on them … and us.”
 
“Huh?” Both Spike and Buffy asked at the same time, following his pointing finger up to look at the ceiling.
 
Andrew smiled smugly and stood a little taller as he reached in his pocket and pulled out a minister’s vestment stole … a slightly untraditional one.

 

“I’m gonna rain holy water down from the sprinklers and dust them,” he repeated as he carefully placed the garment around his neck and straightened it with precise, reverent movements.
 
Buffy and Spike stared at him. Hanging around his neck was a fabric stole, like they’d both seen priests and ministers wear, but this one was a rainbow of colors and was adorned with symbols representing several of the Earth’s religions.

“You’re a … priest?” Buffy asked, her brows furrowed with confusion.
 
“Fully ordained,” Andrew affirmed as he pulled an amulet from under his shirt. It was a white five-pointed star, but more pointy than a traditional pentacle. The base of each point formed a circle, and inside the circle was a black, inner starburst with sixteen points.

 

“What bloody church would make you a…” Spike started.
 
“The Temple of the Jedi Order,” Andrew answered, cutting Spike off.
 
“Oh, bloody hell. It takes a real priest to…”
 
“I am a real priest!” Andrew defended, sniffing indignantly. “I have papers and everything. And, anyway, it’s the belief in a higher power that makes the spell work.”
 
“And you believe God is a soddin’ Jedi?” Spike continued, folding his arms over his chest.
 
“Dear, handsome warrior … ye of little faith,” Andrew cajoled Spike, shaking his head sadly. “I believe the Force is with me. The Force of Creation connects everything to everything else, it’s woven into all things, it is lightness and dark; everything is made from it and everything goes back to it in the end,” Andrew explained wistfully.
 
“You’re insane, aren’t you?” Spike asked Andrew as he looked the Jedi Priest up and down. “Totally off your gourd.”
 
“I am not! Why does everyone keep saying that?” Andrew demanded with a whine, stomping his foot down adamantly and crossing his arms tightly over his chest. “One day I’ll go home and get that test my mom had done. I am 100% non-insane … except maybe a little when someone tickles me on my sides. But that doesn’t count.”

 

“Andrew, do you even know how to make holy water?” Buffy asked him, changing the subject.
 
Andrew smiled when he looked at her as if she were a small child. “Has every Slayer of the Vampyrs fought to the death, battling every evil creature in her path for eons and eons in the unending struggle of light versus dark?”
 
Buffy and Spike’s eyes met for a moment, looking past Andrew, who stood between them. Then she looked back at the geek-priest with a doubtful frown.
 
Andrew looked between them, cleared his throat, and shifted uncomfortably. “Bad analogy,” he blurted out quickly. “I know how … there’s just one catch.”
 
“Oh, ‘ere we go,” Spike moaned.
 
“What’s the catch?” Buffy asked him, ignoring Spike. A small glimmer of hope shone through in her voice.

 

Andrew took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Well, usually, holy water is made from fresh spring water and sea salt. The sprinkler system here is tied into a pipeline from the ocean … so technically it has the sea salt but it’s not 100% spring water. I’m not sure if that counts … I mean, it must have some spring water, right? I don’t know if blessing the salt and the water at one time will work and I don’t know if diluted spring water will work. I mean, I guess all water was spring water at one time ... maybe.”
 
Buffy chewed on her bottom lip a minute as she thought, then raised her eyes back to Andrew. “It will – do it!” she assured him.
 
“How the bloody hell would you…” Spike began to ask her and she held up her hand stopping him.
 
“You told me the Reds are afraid of the water, remember?” Buffy reminded him, hope blossoming inside her. “Even if it’s not ‘holy water’ … even if the blessing doesn’t work, they’re still are afraid of the water!” she contended enthusiastically.  
 
“Maybe they just don’t like fish and leeches nibbling at their dangly bits,” Spike argued. “Rain don’t bother the buggers.”
 
“Yeah, but this is salty rain. Maybe they don’t like salt … maybe they think it’s holy water just ‘cos it’s salty! Maybe they’re from a world where salt … I don’t know – ate their brains or something! One way to find out, isn’t there?” Buffy pointed out. She looked at Andrew. “Do it,” she ordered flatly.
 
Andrew looked at Spike for approval. “Hey!” Buffy exclaimed, grabbing his arm. “Don’t look at him. I’m Queen today – do it!”
 
Spike rolled his eyes and nodded.
 
“Ok, I’ll have to keep doing it as the water flows through the holding tank so …” Andrew started when a metallic crash suddenly echoed loudly in the room. They all turned to look at the door – the last door that stood any chance of holding the Reds back. All the furniture that was piled against it was still swaying slightly from the impact that shook it.
 
“Now!” Buffy ordered the Jedi priest, and Andrew scampered off in the direction of the bathroom.
 
“This’ll never bloody work, Slayer,” Spike moaned. “We need t’ get you outta here. There’s another entrance ‘ere somewhere – Adam used it,” he began, moving off to the side of the room to begin searching for some other way out.

 

“No,” Buffy grabbed his arm and stopped him. “I’m done running.”
 
“‘Ave you lost your last marble?” Spike exclaimed, meeting her eyes with his. “You need to get out! Your friends will be comin’ looking for you. You just need to get out and hide until they find ya. I won’t be responsible for them finding a soddin’ corpse down ‘ere!”
 
“No.” Buffy stood her ground, folded her arms over her chest and set her jaw. “I’m staying here. I’m done running. I’m done hiding. This will work.”
 
“Surrounded by bloody idiots!” Spike exclaimed, looking at the ceiling and throwing his arms out wide. His silent plea for someone, anyone … even the soddin’ Force, to make her listen to reason went unanswered.
 
“You really have a problem with that word, don’t you? N.O,” Buffy growled out between gritted teeth. “I’m Queen, and I’m staying. The Queen always stays with the ship.”

"That's the soddin' Captian," Spike corrected. "The Queen's the first to leave a bloody sinking ship."
 
Suddenly, the furniture that stood against the door rattled and shook; some of it toppled over. Several long, bony fingers wedged themselves through a crack between the door and the jamb, and Buffy thought maybe Spike was right … she’d gone off her gourd. She was loony as a fruitcake to stay here … or was that nutty? Either way, she was a cake made of fruit, and that made her crazy because it ruined both the fruit and the cake.
 
Spike sprinted over and began pushing against the shelves and cabinets that were piled up against the door to hold the horde back. The door slammed closed with his weight and seven long, bloody fingers fell to the floor, severed cleanly by the door closing on them. Buffy moved over to help him, and they could both hear shrill screaming from the other side of the door. It wasn’t a battle cry, but wails of pain, and that brought a satisfied smile to Buffy’s lips for a moment.
 
The smile didn’t last, though. Suddenly, both she and Spike, and the pile of furniture, were shoved back at least a foot by a new surge of power from the Reds.
 
“C’mon, Andrew,” Buffy moaned as she and Spike pushed back against the pressure with all their strength.
 
An arm and hand with long, sharp nails snaked through the pile of cabinets and shelves and grabbed Buffy by the arm. Buffy screamed out in surprise and then in pain as the nails dug into her flesh.  Buffy tried to pull free, but only succeeded in embedding the Red’s nails into her arm further. Slayer blood poured out of five deep gouges in her forearm, and the aroma must’ve made its way out to the Reds on the other side of the door, because now their ‘Xena War Princess’ battle cries filled the air.

 

Spike let go of the filing cabinet he was leaning on and the whole pile slid a bit further into the room. The Red holding Buffy yanked on her arm, and Buffy yanked back while at the same time trying to use her legs and other arm to hold the pile and keep the door from opening completely.
 
“Spiiike! Little help here!” Buffy screamed when he left her field of vision. Her feet slipped on the blood that covered the floor – her blood, she realized with a slightly sickening feeling, and the door opened a bit more.
 
“Damn it, Spike! I can’t hold it!” she screamed as she tried to hold the fort all on her own. Her legs were quivering with the effort, her arm felt like it was going to be ripped off or shredded any moment, and that woozy feeling in her head had returned. She was either gonna throw up or pass out – or both, very shortly.
 
Suddenly Spike appeared next to her, his sword raised. “No worries,” he assured Buffy as he slashed down on the Red’s arm that was holding her. He cut through it with a grotesque crunch of bone and tearing of flesh. The severed arm spewed blood all over them both, as Buffy pulled her arm back and cradled it against her chest.
 
The hand and forearm of the Red up to the elbow was still firmly attached to her own arm. Blood poured out of the severed appendage like a geyser. It painted the walls, the door, and the furniture barricade, as well as Spike and Buffy, with bright red gushes of wet color. It looked as if someone had shaken a cherry soda, opened the top, and waved it around the room wildly.
 
“Oh gross!” Buffy lamented as the blood rained down on her hair and clothes, covered her face and body, and made the floor all the more slick and traction impossible.
 
The other part of the arm, which had also been spraying blood, was gone now. Only a hemoglobin trail remained where the large vamp had pulled it back through the ever-widening crack in the door. Buffy’s foot slipped and she faltered – the door opened more. Spike dropped the sword and threw himself at the barricade next to her. The crack narrowed slightly with his weight, but then they were both slipping and sliding in the pool of blood under them, and the door began to open wider.
 
More arms and fingers with talon-like claws reached through, slashing and grabbing at the heroes as they struggled against the onslaught. A chair that had been piled atop the barricade crashed down on Buffy, knocking her to her knees momentarily.  She cursed under her breath and stood back up as quickly as she could. Now her head was not only spinning slightly but throbbing as well. Perfect.
 
“Goddammit, Andrew!” Buffy screamed, lifting her face to the ceiling in hopes that he could hear her. “If you don’t start the rain this very minute I’ll…” she continued, but was cut off by freezing cold water pouring down on them from the fire sprinklers.

 

Nothing changed. Except now everything was wet … and cold and salty. The Reds kept pushing against the door, Buffy and Spike kept pushing back, trying to keep the door closed and the Reds out. Buffy blinked as the salty water stung her eyes. Her hair was plastered across her face, it made seeing a challenge, and the word ‘traction’ had apparently lost all meaning, because there was none to be found under their feet.
 
Then, out of nowhere, Spike began screaming in pain. Smoke rose up from his skin and he patted his smoldering flesh. “Bloody hell!” he screamed, running for cover from the onslaught of holy water.
 
“Great,” Buffy moaned as the door slid open enough for one of the Reds to stick their whole head inside. “It’s holy water, you freaks!” she yelled at the giant vampire. “Blessed by a fucking ordained Jedi Priest! Don’t you people have any respect for the rules?”
 
The glowing eyes of the vamp flickered brighter when it saw her and undoubtedly got an intoxicating whiff of Slayer blood. It tilted its head back and started that war cry again, which grated on Buffy’s last remaining nerve.
 
“Stop that fucking noise!” she screamed at it, still pushing as best she could against the lost cause of keeping them out.
 
Suddenly, the battle cry stopped and morphed into a shriek of agony. The Red jerked back out of the opening and Buffy fell forward when all the pressure from the other side of the door was released.
 
She dropped down onto her knees as the cold water rained down on her and puddled on the floor, mixing with the blood and spreading the red stain out in all directions. She turned over and sat on her butt on the floor, keeping her back against the barricade of furniture, and worked on prying the cold, dead vampire fingers out of the muscle of her forearm.
 
She swallowed hard and tried not to scream, but it hurt just as much coming out as it did going in, and she couldn’t stop the screech that came from her throat. Her chest heaved in pain, adrenaline, and exertion; every muscle in her body felt like it had been beaten with a meat cleaver. Buffy’s head felt airy, and she was starting to think the way the red color on the floor swirled and splattered when the rain hit it was awfully pretty.
 
Buffy tossed the demon appendage down and clamped her hand over the gouges in her arm to staunch the bleeding. She closed her eyes and leaned her head back against something hard behind her. She sat there, perfectly still, and just let the holy salt water wash over her face. Her heart was still racing in her chest, her breathing still labored, but at that moment the only thing she wanted to think about was how good that rain felt on her skin. She was just too exhausted to think about much else, plus, she was fairly certain that the raindrops splattering the blood on the floor should not look pretty to her.
 
Suddenly, her eyes shot open and she looked around the room. “Spike!?” she called out as she scrambled to her feet shakily. “Spike!?” She hadn’t really seen where he’d gone, but there were only a couple of choices. She lit out as quickly as she could towards the closest doorway. It led into a smaller room that had been made into a bedroom. There was a large, king-sized bed in the center, a dresser drawers off to one side, and two large metal cabinets – taller than her and about four feet wide and two feet deep, on the other wall.
 
“Spike?” she called again. The only place he could fit would be in the cabinets. Oh God, please… she prayed silently as she opened the first. It was full of hanging clothes with shoes down on the bottom underneath them – it had been turned into a wardrobe. Spike wasn’t in it.
 
She went to the other cabinet and pulled the two double doors open. There were shelves in this one, each full to over-flowing with … action figures? She recognized some from things that Billy either had or wanted, not that she knew any of their names, just the faces – ‘Star Wars’ faces. There were other things in there too, bigger things: Stormtrooper helmets, a model spaceship of some sort, a stuffed Chewbacca head … or maybe it was a Halloween mask …

 

“OI!” Spike cried from the bottom of the cabinet. “Shut the soddin’ door, or are you trying to dust me?”
 
Buffy jumped back and looked down in surprise. In the very bottom of the cabinet was Spike. He sat, crammed in the small space, with more movie paraphernalia all around him. His head stuck out between a hard, shiny Darth Vader mask and a soft, fuzzy Yoda head. Behind him, a life-sized C3PO looked back out at her. Then Buffy realized that it wasn’t just the head of the android robot thingy, but a whole C3PO … A doll? A model? What would you call that? Whatever you wanted to call it, a complete, life-sized C3PO, with arms and legs, torso, shoulders, and head, sat in the bottom of the cabinet and Spike was sitting in its lap.
 
For a moment Buffy flashed to the scene in ‘ET’ when the alien hid in the closet with all the stuffed animals. She began to laugh. “You look like one of Andrew’s blow-up dolls. Does he take you out of the closet and play with you at night when he’s all scared and lonely? Awww … does he cuddle you?”
 
“Not bloody funny, Slayer,” Spike snarled at her. He reached a hand out and up towards her throat, aiming to throttle her, but jerked it back in as soon as the holy water rained down on it.
 
“Oooo … the dollie king is gonna get me. I’m so scared!” Buffy taunted, holding her good arm out and shaking her fingers as if they were trembling.
 
“Sod off!” he cursed, yanking the doors closed on his hidey-hole.

 

Buffy laughed harder. The cold, salty rain poured down from the sprinklers; she felt like a Mack truck had run over her. She was trapped in this hell dimension, with no way back home, her arm was still bleeding with dark purple bruises blooming down its length, and she couldn’t stop the laughter. She dropped down to her hands and knees, and then rolled onto her back, as the exhaustion, fear, adrenaline, and blood loss ganged up on her and flooded her body with hysterical fits of glee.
 
“Not. Funny,” Spike growled out from behind the door and Buffy burst out laughing even harder, rolling around on the wet floor like a crazy person who had just been released from Bedlam and was off her meds.
 
“Bloody hell,” Spike moaned, his voice muffled behind the doors of the cabinet. Could this day, this life, get any more humiliating and pathetic?
 
“You’re crazier than a shithouse rat!” he growled tersely through the door.
 
Buffy roared louder, tears welling in her eyes and her whole body shuddering with the fit of giggles she was trapped in. He was, undoubtedly, right. A shithouse rat revved up on crazy-Slayer fruitcake.
 
**~**
 
William ran through the dark tunnels in an absolutely hysterical panic, looking for Bess, calling her name. He stumbled on unseen obstacles, cracks and crevices, caught himself using the blade of the sword like a ski pole, and continued on blindly. He had no idea where he was going or where the girl had gone. After running for what felt like hours, but was certainly no more than fifteen or twenty minutes, a thought suddenly occurred to him. If she’d run away from him in fear, then chasing after her and screaming her name was probably not his best course of action.
 
William stopped, his chest heaving with overwhelming terror, and leaned his free hand down on his thigh to try and calm his racing thoughts. He’d always relied on his mind to solve problems, and now should be no different … should it? But everything here was different; even he seemed different. He no longer seemed to need his spectacles at all – he could see things near and far with amazing clarity. He felt somehow stronger, fitter than he’d been. He’d fought and killed those monsters – how had he done that?
 
He ran a hand over his head, as he always did when he was perplexed or nervous, and was reminded again that his hair was not there – or not much of it. Just short fuzz remained – his long curls, Elizabeth’s curls, were gone. Perhaps this had something to do with that – like Sampson, but in reverse.

 

Flashes of … something darted through his mind like ghosts – visions of other fights, of other monsters. Were they portents of the future or memories of some past life? He couldn’t be sure – they were there and then gone in the blink of an eye.
 
He took a deep breath to calm down, then leaned back against the wall of the tunnel and tried to take stock of his situation logically. He went over it and over it in his mind, but without the girl, Bess, he had no idea where to begin to look for Avengelyne or how to get back to Macaulay Road.
 
After trying for some time to suss it out, he shook his head in resignation – he needed a new plan. The fight in the basement came back to him and he saw it as if looking at himself from the outside. It hadn’t been him in that fight – or so it seemed to William. There had been no logical progression, no silent contemplation, no time to think; there had been only instinct. He rarely trusted his instincts; it seemed a base and feral way to conduct himself. Logic and reasoning were what separated us from the animals, after all, and he was no animal. Or he hadn’t been before … before Avengelyne.
 
He couldn’t help but think: if he had listened to his instincts when the dark stranger offered his help on the street that day that Avengelyne cut her arm, she might be with him now and he wouldn’t be in this predicament. And what if he had ignored his instincts that night Avengelyne came to him in his bed chamber? What if, instead of running after her, he had simply done the logical thing and locked the door at her back?
 
William bit his bottom lip, and then drew in a deep breath. “Instinct it is then,” he murmured to himself. He closed his eyes and tried to concentrate on not thinking, but rather turning control over to his gut or his heart or wherever it was that instinct dwelled. After a few panicked moments of his mind telling him he was a knacker-headed fool, he opened his eyes and began to walk deliberately in the direction his gut directed.
 
**~**
 
After walking for some distance in the tunnels and not meeting Bess or any monsters, William was starting to have grave doubts about his ‘gut’ theory.  Perhaps all that dwelled inside his guts were … guts – entrails, offal, chitterlings – not instinct.
 
When he turned a sharp corner in the tunnel and was slammed to the ground by a stampede of the tall, red-eyed monsters, he thought his grave thoughts would become an all too literal grave for him.
 
His sword clattered to the ground uselessly as he rolled into a ball and covered his head. A stream of monsters flowed over top of him, stepping on his hands or feet, or kicking his sides as they sped by; but none stopped, none attacked him. It was like he was just a speed bump in their path, nothing more.
 
Some were screaming in apparent agony, and the smell of burning flesh made him dry heave as he lay on the floor. It suddenly occurred to him that he was hungry. How long had it been since he’d eaten? He tried but couldn’t remember, and then he pushed the thought away – that really was the least of his worries. When the stream of vampires slackened, he rolled off to one side, making himself as small and unobtrusive as possible as he pressed up against the side of the tunnel. The monsters continued to just run right by him, as if they were being chased by something much larger and scarier than themselves.
 
He lay there, unmoving, for a long while after the last monster passed, waiting for whatever that had frightened them and burned their skin … a dragon, perhaps? … to pass by. He waited and waited, staying perfectly still, but nothing else ever emerged from the wide doorway just a few feet away.
 
Finally, he ventured a glance at the door. Inside the door it was dark, and water was raining down. It made no sense … indoor rain? And yet, there it was. He sat up and felt his ribs – not broken, he decided, bruised perhaps, then rubbed a nasty bump on his head. It hurt, and he assumed it would get larger, but there was no blood.
 
William decided his wounds weren’t serious, and stood up slowly, keeping a wary eye on the doorway. He really didn’t want to meet whatever it was that had frightened the monsters so.
 
He gathered up his sword and stood watching the indoor rain fall in torrents for a good while. The water formed puddles on the floor and ran in small streams from high ground to low. When enough had fallen that it reached the top of the threshold, it spilled over and began to flow out in a miniature waterfall, into the sewers, and towards him.
 
Nothing else came out of the darkness beyond the doorway – just the water. He looked back the way he’d come. Going through those doors into the rain was madness … beyond that, it was most likely suicide. And yet, that is exactly where his instinct was saying he should go.
 
“Whose ludicrous idea was this, anyway?” he asked the empty hallway, looking between the doorway in front of him and the tunnel behind.
 
“Yours, you sodding fool,” came the answer in his own voice. He hadn’t even realized he’d spoken until the words bounced back to his ears, echoing off the hard walls around him.
 
He sighed, lifted his sword, gathered his courage, and headed into the rain to face the dragon.
 
**~**
 
Buffy had fallen silent, finally. The fits of hysteria, which had come out as laughter, had passed. Except for the shivers that shook her body from the cold sea water raining down, she lay still and quiet on the floor outside Spike’s Star Wars ‘safe-house’. She no longer heard any banging or shrieking from the Reds outside – she didn’t hear anything at all actually, other than the spray from the fire sprinklers and the water as it splashed softly in the puddles on the floor around her.
 
She sat up, wiped the salty water from her eyes, and pushed her hair back out of her face. She was exhausted. She hurt everywhere and was pretty sure she was nothing more than a giant, walking bruise. But, she was alive, and that was a start.
 
She stood up stiffly, groaning with the effort. “You all right in there?” Buffy asked Spike, rapping on the door of his cupboard with her knuckles.
 
“Peachy,” Spike growled back at her. “Tell the little ponce to stop the flood ‘fore we have to start gathering up two of everything and build a soddin’ boat.”
 
Buffy snorted a laugh. It made her sides hurt. She wanted to say something witty, but her brain was too muddled and exhausted, so she just said, “Ok,” and went to find Andrew.
 
Buffy could hear Andrew’s voice droning in a low chant. It was drifting through the open door of the bathroom. She walked in, and then followed the sound through another door that led into the bowels of the old Initiative headquarters. There were pipes and wires and air conditioning ducts running in crisscrossing tangles of steel and plastic. She followed the sound of Andrew’s earnest voice as he recited a blessing over and over again, and found him next to a fairly impressive tank of what she assumed was the sea water that fed the sprinklers.
 
“From the Force of Creation, all things come and all things return. As a humble Jedi servant of your power, I cast out the echo of evil. May all evil forces be driven far from the place you are sprinkled … or … ummm … sprayed,” Andrew was saying as she walked up behind him.
 
“I appeal to the Force of Creation, let all things that this wondrous element of water touches be delivered from all that is unclean and hurtful and subjugate the evil within. Let everything unclean be repulsed by its power and return to the Center, to the Force of Creation. Cleanse the evil from the souls of … ummmm … or … well … I guess they don’t have souls … uhhh …” Andrew stammered and started again. “Cleanse the evil from their minds and bodies, absorb their power back into your bosom. From the Force of Creation all things come and all things return. Selah, shalom, amen, aho, live long and prosper, so mote it be. May the Force be with us.”
 
Andrew took a deep breath and got ready to start again when Buffy touched his shoulder. He jumped two feet straight up in the air, and spun around at the same time. Buffy didn’t know he could move that fast. She took a step back, just in case he had a light saber or something in his hand.

 

“Jiminy Christmas!” he exclaimed when his feet hit the ground again, his eyes wide with surprise.
 
Buffy cocked a brow at him. “The Force has a bosom?” she asked, ignoring his shocked expression.
 
Andrew scowled at her. “It’s metaphorical. You wouldn’t understand.”
 
Buffy shrugged. “I understand metaphorical – that means you just made it up.”
 
“It does not!” Andrew defended with a huff. “It’s symbolic.”
 
“Yeah, symbolic of lonely geeks sitting at home with their C3P0 doll and wishing they had a bosom to cuddle with instead,” Buffy retorted.
 
“I do not cuddle with C3P0!” Andrew exclaimed with an edge of panic in his voice. “Who told you I cuddled with him? He’s too hard and angular … and … anyway, I don’t cuddle with … stuff!” he sniffed angrily.
 
“Did you want something?” he demanded with a frown, changing the subject.
 
Buffy smiled at him, thinking that Spike was rather hard and angular too, but she didn’t say it aloud. She cocked a brow at the tank. “You can stop. It worked.”
 
Andrew’s eyes brightened. “It did?” he asked with more disbelief than Buffy expected.

 

She nodded.
 
Andrew shrieked in glee and grabbed her in a tight hug, then released her suddenly and backed up. “Sorry…” he mumbled, wiping at her shoulder as if he was wiping his cooties off her.
 
Buffy snorted a little laugh. “It’s ok,” she assured him. “You can turn the water off now.”
 
“Oh! Right!” Andrew bubbled, still giddy with the knowledge that his plan had actually worked. He practically skipped around to the other side of the large tank and pulled on the valve that shut off the flow to the sprinklers.
 
Nothing happened.
 
He leaned back, sticking his butt out, bracing his legs hard against the floor, and pulled with all this strength. Nothing. He bent his knees and tried pushing hard with his legs, putting all his weight into it. Still nothing.
 
Buffy rolled her eyes and dropped her arms in a dramatic sigh as she started over towards him. With her one good arm, she pulled the valve closed with a little squeak of metal rubbing on metal. Geeks!
 
**~**
 
“You can come out now, cuddle bunny,” Buffy called to Spike, pulling the doors open on the cabinet he was hiding in.
 
He gave her a low growl and stood up stiffly from his cramped hiding place.
 
“Oh, don’t be that way … grumpy bottoms,” Buffy cajoled him as she stepped back to allow him to get out of the cabinet.
 
“Not another bloody word ‘bout this rubbish,” he warned her, narrowing his eyes at her angrily and waving a hand at the collection in the cabinet.

 

Buffy rolled her eyes and smiled a little as she watched C3PO fall against Darth Vader in the cabinet when Spike vacated the spot in between. “Don’t they make a cute couple?” she asked wistfully, moving out of arm’s reach of Spike.
 
“You, missy, are asking for it,” Spike threatened.
 
Buffy laughed lightly and kept moving away. “Promises, promises…”
 
They dismantled the barricade, Spike dodging stray drops of holy water that dripped from the sprinklers or the ceiling as they worked, then opened the first door. In the corridor lay the crumpled outer door – it looked like it was made of aluminum foil instead of steel. That was a bit disconcerting, but, there was good news too. The floor was littered with red glitter. The holy water had actually dusted at least some of the Reds!
 
“Andrew, you’re a genius!” Buffy gushed when she saw the sparkling red floor.
 
“I am? … Uhhh … I mean …” he stuttered, then composed himself. “Well, duh! Of course I am! The Force is with me! I told you I was a real priest! I can even perform marriages,” he hinted, looking between the two blondes.
 
“That’ll be the bloody day!” Spike retorted immediately. “I pity the fool that married the likes of this stubborn bitc...”
 
“Watch it!” Buffy warned him. “I’m still Queen today – I might decide we need a beheading or something like that … I’m feeling very Marie Antoinette-y.”

 

“Gone sack a’ hammers, you ‘ave, Slayer. Wasn’t the king that got beheaded in that jolly tale,” Spike reminded her.
 
“Equal rights. Men can be beheaded now too,” she asserted. She grabbed her scythe and started walking down the hallway cautiously, looking out through the now open door of Room 314 into the atrium area for any Reds left alive.
 
Spike had to locate his sword, so he was a few steps behind Buffy. As he walked, the puddles of holy water on the floor began to seep into his boots and burn his feet. He tried to avoid the worst of it, but smoke was starting to rise from his lower extremities.
 
“Oi, Slayer!” Spike called as she stepped through the door and out into the atrium itself.
 
Buffy looked back and Spike waved at the smoke that was now billowing up from his feet. She frowned. “Go back and get somewhere dry,” she instructed. “I’m fine … I don’t think there are any left, but I just want to make sure.”
 
“Don’t do anything bloody stupid,” he advised her as he started backing up so he could climb up on some furniture back in the room they’d been defending and get his feet dry.
 
“Gee … that’s so … sweet,” Buffy retorted, rolling her eyes. “‘Don’t do anything bloody stupid,’” she mocked. “I’ll have to remember that sage advice.”
 
As Buffy walked further into the large common area and up towards the deep pit in the center, she started getting an uneasy feeling. Her eyes scanned the area as best she could – it was still pretty dark, just a few emergency lights shone. She thought she saw something move on the floor to her right and swung toward it quickly, but there was nothing there. Nothing but the red vamp dust floating in the salt water, that is.
 
Her eyes moved methodically over the area, straining to see into the darkest corners. What she wouldn’t give for vampire sight just now. You’d think when the Shadowmen made Slayers, they would’ve borrowed the handy-dandy night vision and enhanced hearing from the demon too, not just the strength and instinct. Men!
 
Her heart thudded in her chest. That instinct that they’d crammed into her was screaming at her now that something was amiss … but her mind couldn’t find anything to be afraid of here. To top it off, her vampire tinglies were screaming up and down her spine, but it wasn’t from an unknown vamp: it was Spike. She knew the feeling as well as she knew her own name, but that feeling should be fading the further she moved away from the room where she’d left him, not getting stronger.
 
She’d been feeling ‘Spike’ for a while – well, since she woke up on the gurney in Andrew’s superhero hospital. She not only felt the vampire warning that he, and all vampires, conjured within her, but she could feel his soul. It had been much more pronounced this time than when she’d been here before. The first visit, when Annie was with her, Buffy had to concentrate to feel it; this time it felt, well … just like Spike – her Spike. She had pushed it to the back of her mind because, honestly, there were plenty of other things that needed her attention, but now, as she walked through the darkened, cavernous complex, that feeling rose back to the surface and she wondered what it meant. She had no real answer for that puzzle.

 

She crept forward, scythe at the ready, moving from pockets of shadow into pools of light, then back again into darkness. Then there was a noise… a weird squishy noise and something definitely moved somewhere off to her right. She turned and looked in the direction of the sound. She saw nothing, but the noise remained and then began to grow. It sounded like worms wriggling around in something sticky, or maybe someone squashing a bunch of rotten tomatoes. Then she saw the movement: it was the red sparkling glitter – it was moving, expanding, wriggling. It looked like it was absorbing the water and turning into little bits of jiggly, cherry Jell-O.
 
Buffy watched it for a minute, trying to figure out what was happening, then she looked down at her feet and found that it wasn’t just some of the dust doing that, but all of it. It was all expanding like marshmallows in a microwave. She stomped her feet down on it and started backing up. It was sticky, and clung to her shoes, but didn’t seem to be burning or biting or … well anything, other than growing – swelling up like a sponge as it absorbed the holy water. The deeper the water, the faster it was growing – but to what end?
 
Buffy reached down and touched it. Nothing physically happened, but her instincts were screaming at her again to run, get away from it. She swallowed the panic back that was rising in her – there was no need to panic until something gave her a reason, and this gooey stuff hadn’t … yet.
 
She picked up a pinch of the small, squishy crystals between her fingers and brought it up to her nose to smell it.
 
Time fractured.

“Just think positive. And honey? Try not to get kicked out,” her mom’s voice came from behind her. Buffy looked around. She was sitting in the passenger seat of her mom’s Jeep, parked in front of Sunnydale High. Joyce was in the driver’s seat. Buffy remembered this day clearly: her first day at Sunnydale High.

  

“Mom?! What’s going on?” Buffy asked, but the words didn’t come out of her mouth. It was like she was inside herself, but not in control. She could feel herself getting out of the Jeep and heading into the school, but she couldn’t stop it or change it.
 
“Do you think Santa will want chocolate chip or oatmeal this year?”
 
Buffy spun around. It was her mom again, but now Buffy was … five, maybe six years old.
 
“Chocolate chip!!” her younger-self shouted, jumping up and down gleefully. “Oatmeal is yucky!!”
 
“Nice work, luv,” Spike’s voice called from behind her.

Buffy spun around again. She saw Spike step out of the shadows in the alley behind the Bronze. She heard herself ask, “Who are you?” But Buffy hadn’t said anything – it wasn’t her; it was her past-self talking.

 


“You'll find out on Saturday.”


“What happens on Saturday?” past-Buffy asked him.
 
“Nothing!” Buffy yelled at herself. “He’s too damn impatient to wait! He has to ruin Parent-Teacher Night.”
 
Her past-self tilted her head, as if she might’ve heard her, but then just stared at Spike, waiting for his answer.


“I kill you.”
 
“Lighten up. It was a good time. It doesn't mean, like, we have to make a big deal.”
 
Buffy spun around again. Angel stood in front of her, pulling his shirt on. Oh fuck, not this. Her chest tightened as she watched, and worse, felt, her younger-self’s world shatter.



“It is a big deal!”
 
“No, it’s not!” Buffy shouted at herself, but the girl didn’t hear or react. “He’s not worth it! Don’t let him…” Her advice to herself was cut off by Angelus talking again.

“It's what? Bells ringing, fireworks, a dulcet choir of pretty little birdies? Come on, Buffy. It's not like I've never been there before.”
 
“Fucking asshole,” Buffy seethed within herself. Buffy felt her younger-self buckle and nearly implode. Every emotion that she had felt during that moment in the past came crashing down on her again. She felt her heart being torn to shreds, her trust broken into a million irretrievable pieces, and her self-esteem crushed like a bug on the sidewalk.
 
Buffy watched helplessly, unable to stop the emotions that washed through her. She was living it all over again. Her own heart ached; she felt like she was falling directly into the pit of hell, just like she’d done on that horrible, horrible night so long ago.

“Buffy,” Spike’s deep, emotional voice pulled her up from the depths of hell, and she spun around again.



Spike was kneeling before her in the softly lit garden at the mansion, looking up at her with eyes so full of hope and love, that it made her heart skip a beat. “I love you more than life itself. I told you before and I’ll repeat it now: I’ll love you forever, until your body returns to the earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust. I’ll lie atop your grave and join you on that day, because I don’t know how I could go on without you in my life.

“Buffy Anne Summers, will you do me the honor of being my wife? Will you marry me?”

Each new memory began coming faster and faster. They flashed through her heart and mind like a million small suns exploding inside her, each one hot and blinding.
 
One moment she was tumbling backwards off the fire escape, watching Spike and Annie fade from her view as she fell towards the pavement below. The next moment she was rescuing Spike from the Initiative, carrying him through the mayhem she’d caused, determined to get him out. Then Buffy spun again and the goons in the Council’s dungeon were beating her with their batons; the pain was just as real to her now as it had been then. In the next moment, she was making love with William in the bandstand in the Common; her body quivered and tensed, reacting to the feel of his body moving against hers. Then, she was tied to a table, and Ethan Rayne was tattooing the mark of Eyghon on the back of her neck. Another spin and Buffy was standing in front of Spike as he was engulfed in flames; her heart and soul suddenly felt as black and empty as any black hole in outer space.
 
Buffy’s head whirled wildly as she relived each one. She was no longer able to even offer advice to her younger self as the scenes swam through her – or, more accurately, she swam through them. She was feeling every emotion and every physical pain; she could hear every word, smell every smell – every sensation that she’d experienced in the past washed over her again. Buffy could see each memory through her own eyes, just as if she was living it again, but she had no control over any of it. She was a ghost within herself – an apparition, unable to touch or change anything, forced to relive each one, good and bad.
 
Buffy fell to her knees as she hurtled through her life and continued bouncing back and forth between memories and emotions. She felt like a small boat being buffeted by a raging sea. She'd be lifted up to the highest heights one moment, then slammed down as the wave crested, sending her to the deepest depths of the ocean. Tears flowed from her eyes while laughter and sobs and screams fought for dominance in her throat. Her heart sang and shattered, danced and died. One minute her soul was full, complete with the love of her husband, and the next second it was a gaping maw, devoid of hope, as she watched him burn and disintegrate into dust. She was at once terrified and comforted, hot and cold, resentful and grateful, alive and dead.
 
Unable to stop the madness, just barely coherent, Buffy tried to crawl away from the red goo, but it seemed to be everywhere. She couldn’t see the base camp any longer; all she could see were unwoven, random snatches of her life in excruciating detail. Each memory tore and thrashed wildly at her heart, as if they are all living, breathing beings trapped within her. She tried to squeeze her eyes closed – the ghost’s eyes, but it didn’t stop her from seeing…
 
“Am I … am I a bad person? Is that why? Am I being punished ‘cos I opened the portal?” Annie’s face was contorted in pain and confusion in front of Buffy. “I didn’t mean to! Tell them, Mama! Tell them I didn’t mean to! Please … please give me my legs back!”
 
Buffy collapsed down onto her side, sobbing, her eyes still closed tightly. She covered her ears with her hands, but that didn’t stop her from hearing …

 

“Listen,” Giles was admonishing Angel. “Some prophecies are ... are a bit dodgy. They're, they're mutable. Buffy herself has ... has thwarted them time and time again, but this is the Codex. There is nothing in it that does not come to pass.”

“Then you're reading it wrong,” Angel insisted angrily.

“I wish to God I were! But it's very plain! Tomorrow night Buffy will face the Master, and she will die.”

Even the knowledge that she had survived that attack by the Master and ultimately prevailed over him, did nothing to ease the utter terror that washed over her, just as it had done that night in the library.
 
Buffy writhed on the floor as she ghosted through her life, banging back and forth over the last thirty years like a hockey puck being slapped around on the ice. Bam, bam, bam! Each scene left her weaker, overloading her emotions with wild, dizzying ups and downs. The twists and turns of her life were tossed at her like volleys of gunfire from an Uzi on full auto: rapid, unending, and deadly.  
 
There were scenes that she barely remembered – things that were so mundane as to not even make an imprint on her conscious psyche, and there were things that she'd tried very hard to forget. But no matter how old or recent, all are vivid, lifelike, and cover every color in the spectrum of emotions.
 
Buffy’s body began to convulse as she continued to be deluged with laughter and tears, utter joy and devastating heartbreak. Every emotion she’d ever felt tugged at her, fighting for dominance: lust and revulsion, love and hate, heaven and hell, pain and bliss, birth and death. Bam, bam, bam!
 
The warring emotions ripped at her, pulling her apart from the inside, as each round hit her like the bullets from a gun. One moment, her skin was flushed with heat and perspiration, then in the next breath it’s chilled, and she begins to shiver uncontrollably. Buffy’s body started to quiver with exertion and physical strain as she tried to get out of the soaked vampire dust. Her muscles began to cramp painfully; her arms and legs pulled tight as bowstrings as she rolled around on the wet floor in agony, covering herself in even more of the red, gelatinous muck of the vampires.
 
Not real, not real, not real, she admonished herself, trying to bring her mind back under her own control. She became vaguely aware that she must calm her heart. It was straining to the very edge of its capacity, stampeding painfully in her chest, and threatening to literally explode beyond its physical limitations.
 
“Avengelyne!” William exclaimed and Buffy was back on the sidewalk in London in her long dress and crinolines. Her arm is cut and bleeding from the broken brown glass she’d fallen on.
 
“I’m alright,” she watched herself assure him.
 
“I’m quite certain that you are not,” William insisted.
 
Buffy felt herself being lifted up and then everything finally, thankfully, went black.
 
**~**

The Temple of the Jedi Order: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/

Jediism is the religion of The Force and this is their creed:

I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace;
Where there is hatred I shall bring love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.
 
I am a Jedi.
I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

The Force is with me always, for I am a Jedi.
 
**~**

{{  Click here to hear Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve on YouTube  }}


‘Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this life...
Trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to the money then you die.
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down...
You know the one that takes you to the places where all the veins meet, yeah.

No change, I can't change, I can't change, I can't change,
but I'm here in my mold, I am here in my mold.
But I'm a million different people from one day to the next...
I can't change my mold, no, no, no, no, no, no, no

Well I've never prayed,
But tonight I'm on my knees, yeah.
I need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah.
I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now.
But the airwaves are clean and there's nobody singing to me now.

No change, I can't change, I can't change, I can't change,
but I'm here in my mold, I am here in my mold.
And I'm a million different people from one day to the next
I can't change my mold, no, no, no, no, no

Have you ever been down?
I can't change, I can't change...

Cause it's a bittersweet symphony this life.
Trying to make ends meet, trying to find somebody then you die.

You know I can't change, I can't change, I can't change, I can't change
but I'm here in my mold, I am here in my mold.
And I'm a million different people from one day to the next.
I can't change my mold, no, no, no, no, no

It's just sex and violence melody and silence
It's just sex and violence melody and silence
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down
It just sex and violence melody and silence
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down
Been down
Ever been down
Have you ever been down?
End Notes:
What is the red vampire dust-goo doing to Buffy? Will getting out of it stop the bittersweet symphony that's raining down on her? Can she get out of it in time to stop her heart from exploding in her chest from the emotional rollercoaster ride?
Lots more to come!!
Reunited by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
What happens when William and Spike meet? Can two sides of the same coin stand to face each other?
**
Giant thanks to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
 Saturday, May 7th, 2011, Gift-less Universe:
 
Andrew stepped through the broken doorway into the large cavern of the base camp to look for Buffy, as Spike asked him to … ok, ordered him to. He held Spike’s sword in both hands as he glanced around in the semi-dark warily. There were waaaay too many dark pockets of shadow for comfort – anything could be hiding in them.
 
“Buffy?” he called, barely above a whisper.
 


He took another step away from the relative safety of Room 314, his feet squishing and sliding on the damp floor. He looked down. His shoes were covered in some kind of red, gelatinous goo. He crinkled up his nose, picked one foot up, and shook it. The stuff dropped off with loud plops, falling back into the layer of it that seemed to cover the entire floor.
 
“What in the name of Yoda?” he muttered, as he began to squat down to get a better look at it.
 
Suddenly, he heard movement in front of him and shot back up to standing, readjusting his grip on the sword. “I am the Jedi Knight that has defeated you!” Andrew yelled into the darkness. “Away! Away with you! This is my kingdom! You are not welcome! You are not invited!” he informed the intruder in his bravest voice.
 
Oh, maybe it’s Buffy, Andrew realized, taking a calming breath. “Buffy? Is that you?” he asked in a small, tentative voice.
 
Spike briefly stepped out from one of the darkest shadows into a pool of light cast by the emergency exit system. He was sloshing through the water and congealed red vampire dust, smoke billowing from his feet, carrying Buffy. Andrew only caught a quick glimpse of him at a distance before the vamp disappeared again into the shadows.
 
Andrew turned and looked behind him at the corridor he’d just come out of. When had Spike come out of Room 314? The vamp’s feet were badly burnt and bleeding. Andrew had dried an area for him to sit, helped him get his wet shoes off, and then came out here to check on Buffy. Why would Spike come out after he’d just sent Andrew to check on her?
 
“Spiiike,” he whined. “You scared me! Why did you send me out here in the dark if you were just gonna…” Andrew stopped when Spike re-emerged from the shadows, and he saw Buffy twitch unnaturally in the vamp’s arms. Then he noticed that Spike’s hair was gone – or nearly gone. Had the holy water done that too?!
 
“Oh Force of Creation!” Andrew exclaimed. “What happened?” The Jedi Priest rushed forward towards the pair and William froze.
 
He had been heading to an area where the layer of red … gelatin wasn’t as thick. It was obviously having some effect on his angel … the evil of it seeping into her body.
 
“What the bloody hell, Andrew!?” Spike exclaimed from the doorway behind the Jedi priest and Andrew stopped in his tracks and spun around.

 

He looked back and forth for several long moments. “Holy stars above! There are two Spikes!” Andrew looked up at the ceiling, hands pressed together as if in prayer. “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” he murmured to the heavens gleefully. And who said prayers didn’t get answered?
 
The Spike behind him stepped out of the doorway. He had bright, yellow Wellies on his feet to protect them from the holy water and a dour frown on his face. “Who the bloody hell is that?” he demanded, pointing a finger at his doppelganger.
 
“It’s you … times two!” Andrew exclaimed with a wide smile.
 
“Don’t be daft!” Spike asserted. “He doesn’t look a bloody thing like me!”
 
Andrew started to protest and say that, yes, he did, but Spike cut him off.
 
“What’s wrong with Buffy?” Spike asked with growing concern when the full scene before him registered in his mind. He moved forward past Andrew, yanking his sword from the Jedi’s hands as he passed. Without losing stride, he headed towards the man that was carrying the Slayer, his sword at the ready.
 
“What the hell did you do to ‘er!?” Spike demanded as William searched for a safe place to set his precious cargo down out of the red goo so he could fight.
 
“Nothing! I simply rescued her from the …” William retorted, keeping the panic that was rising in him out of his voice. He gestured with his head at the red Jell-O bits that covered the floor.
 
“Rescue, is it?” Spike narrowed his eyes at the intruder. “And just who are you to rescue a Slayer?”

 

William backed up a step, then two, his eyes finally finding a table behind him and off to one side that was free of the red muck. He just needed to buy a little more time to get her over there and set her down.
 
“I am William Weckerly,” he replied as if he was announcing the arrival of the King of England. “I am her husband.”
 
Spike stopped and drew in a sharp breath. The tip of his sword momentarily dropped to the ground as he took this in and tried to make sense of it. “Her … husband,” he muttered to himself as he watched the man retreat.
 
If this was truly his counterpart, why was he retreating … with the Slayer, no less? Spike had retreated a time or two, but only when faced with overwhelming odds. One vampire in shiny, yellow boots and a half-assed Jedi Knight were far from overwhelming odds.
 
And, if he was from the other dimension and actually her husband, why wouldn’t he simply ask him for help with the Slayer? Surely she had told her husband what had happened here – how Spike had helped her escape. And where were the rest of her friends? Surely he wouldn’t have come alone. It looked to Spike like he was trying to make off with her. Maybe he was a shape-shifter or something like that, although he felt like a vampire … a shape-shifting vampire?
 
Spike took deliberate, but not overly fast, strides towards the demon that had Buffy, raising his sword back up to the ready position as he went. He didn’t want to alert the imposter to the danger, but didn’t want him to get away with Buffy, either. For all he knew, the monster could shape-shift into a giant bat or bird and simply fly out of reach here in the high-ceilinged common area.
 
As Spike got within two strides of the man that had Buffy, his doppelganger suddenly turned his back to the approaching vamp. Thinking that ‘William’ was going to make a run for it, or shift into some other form, Spike quickened his stride and lunged at the man.
 
As if reading Spike’s mind, the shape-shifter hurriedly dropped Buffy atop a table, banging her head down on it with an audible thunk, and spun around in time to deflect Spike’s attack perfectly with a sword of his own. Bugger!
 
Spike spun all the way around, using the momentum of the vamp’s parry to help propel him. His sword spun in a wide arc, whistling through the air as it went. Leveled at his opponent’s neck, Spike gripped the hilt of his blessed sword even tighter as he prepared to decapitate the vamp that had stolen his name and was attempting to steal Buffy. However, in the milliseconds it took for him to make the full turn, his opponent had ducked and moved out of range.
 
Spike stumbled slightly, thrown off balance when he didn’t meet the resistance of flesh and bone he’d been expecting. In the millisecond it took before he could regain his fighting stance, his doppelganger buried his fist in Spike’s jaw. Stars danced in front of his eyes for a moment as he tried to catch his balance and shake them away. It only took a moment for Spike to recover and raise his sword to strike, but this so-called William was ready. The blades of their respective swords clanged together loudly in the cavernous area and echoed through the large, empty complex. Powerful thrusts were met with equally clever parries, neither fighter gaining ground nor relenting.
 
“You guys!” Andrew called from the sidelines of the fight. Neither Spike nor William acknowledged him.
 
“If you’re ‘er bloody husband, then where are the rest of the Scoobies? Don’t believe even you are fool enough to come ‘ere alone!” Spike demanded as he and William stalked each other, looking for an opening.
 
“I assure you, I am her husband. I do not know what these ‘Scoobies’ are to which you refer. I was dropped into the ocean along with Bess and Angel,” William explained, never taking his eyes off his adversary. “We’ve … become separated.”

 

“Angel?” Spike spat the name. “Working with the Magnificent Poof, are you? He the one that sent you here to steal ‘er, then? Come in ‘ere trying to look like me so she’d go with ya? Not a very good job of it, by the way. Hair’s all wrong, scar’s a bit wonky, nose is too big, and your eyes are too beady.”
 
“Noooo,” William drew the word out, as if speaking to a dimwitted child. “First and foremost, I do not look like you, nor would I endeavor to. Secondly, I am not stealing her. If you knew Avengelyne at all, you would know the absurdity of that accusation. I was simply getting her to safety – out of the red … muck. I believe it was harming her.”
 
“The Slayer’s name is Buffy,” Spike insisted.
 
“You guys … stop!” Andrew tried again, stomping down one foot petulantly. No one noticed.
 
“Perhaps, but the angel’s name is Avengelyne,” William retorted as the two men continued watching each other warily, circling slowly in the center of the floor, their graceful, predatory movements near-perfect reflections of the other.
 
Smoke continued to billow from William’s bare feet as they trod through the holy water and red muck, but he ignored the burning sensation. He’d noticed it when he first stepped foot into the low flood, but it didn’t seem to be getting any worse. The insistence of his 'gut' that he should enter the dark cavern overrode the discomfort of the inexplicable burning water.
 
Spike snorted. “Angel my soddin’ ass! She’s as close to bein’ an angel as I am at being Pope.”

 

William gave Spike a sardonic smile. “Then you know nothing of this woman,” William contended. “I suggest you take your leave and allow us to pass.”
 
“Or what?” Spike hissed.
 
“Spikes! Stop! This is … it’s craziness! You’re both on the same side!” Andrew tried again. Nothing changed between the two warriors.
 
“Or I shall be forced to remove your head from your shoulders, my dear man. It appears I’m quite adept at it. A skill I hadn’t known I possessed prior to this quite … extraordinary day.”
 
“You can try,” Spike growled. “I’ve taken on better than you and I’m still walking around – head firmly attached.”
 
Spike shifted into game face and stopped moving. He stood up from his half-crouch position, lowered his sword slightly, and smirked at his doppelganger. Standing stock-still, he silently dared this shape-shifting, name-stealing, Slayer-kidnapping vampire to make a move.
 
William tilted his head slightly and regarded him. “Oh, I assure you, I can do much more than try.”

 

 Just as William had three moves mapped out in his mind and was milliseconds away from executing them, a low, desperate moan came from behind him.
 
Buffy stirred, her body aching from … well, everything that had happened over the last several hours, and her mind still muddled from the acid trip down memory lane.
 
“William?” she tried as she blinked her eyes open. The last thing she remembered was William picking her up off the footpath and blood pouring out of the gash in her arm. Maybe the Reds' dust was like the unpronounceable demon’s poison … maybe it had taken her back there, back to William.
 
William spun around immediately, completely abandoning his battle plan, and dropping his defenses. “I’m here, darling,” he murmured to her, taking her hand in one of his.
 
Buffy squinted to see in the semi-dark, then shook her head slightly to clear it and blinked several times. “Spike,” she muttered with a heavy sigh, letting her eyes flutter closed again. She hadn’t gone anywhere … she was still in the hell dimension. “What happened?”
 
In a split second Spike was there at her side, standing next to William and looking down at her. “No worries, luv. This tosser thought he’d steal ya off, but I gotcha,” Spike assured her.
 
“I am no ‘tosser’, you ignoramus! I have explained in terms simple enough that even a Bow Bell Cockney should be capable of comprehending. I am her husband,” William asserted again, speaking slowly and deliberately.
 
“Bow Bell…” Spike seethed. “I’ll stuff your arse in the soddin’ Bow Bells and use your hard head for the clacker!”

 

“What … what’s …” Buffy stuttered, trying to make sense of the voices and the words.
 
She blinked her eyes open again and looked up. Two Spikes stood over her. Two near-twins looked down at her with concern creasing their features. There were differences – the hair, for example, but the eyes … the eyes were the same. Four azure blue pools of emotion, now clouded with a soft dappling of grey worry, peered back at her. She shook her head. They didn’t change. She blinked her eyes. Still two Spikes. She rubbed her eyes and shook her head. They remained.
 
Had she gotten hit on the head and it was giving her double vision? Maybe when she fell down or … had someone hit her? She couldn’t remember anymore.
 
As Buffy tried to figure out what was happening, William and Spike both began wiping the remaining red goo off her skin and clothes and out of her hair. Everywhere the gelatinous vampire dust touched her it left a red stain, like a cherry Kool-Aid mustache on a child’s upper lip. Her hair and skin were both still damp from the glittering muck and now tinged in shades of red. Her blonde locks had been transformed into a kaleidoscope of crimson: everything from a very fitting Manic Panic ‘Vampire Red’ to rich copper to deep merlot.
 
Neither man seemed to even notice the other as their full concentration was on Buffy and making certain she was alright. They worked as an unwitting team, methodically wiping the muck off her skin and running their long fingers through her hair to get it all out. As they worked, and her skin and hair began to dry, the red stains began to fade. As more time passed, the muck began to shrivel and turn back into the dry, glittering dust that it had been before Andrew’s holy water rainstorm.
 
“Spike, I’m seeing …” she began as they worked, lifting one hand up to touch the faces above her. Maybe if she could figure out which Spike was real, and which was some figment of her concussed skull, she could get the figment to disappear.
 
“There are two of them!” Andrew exclaimed gleefully, coming up to the end of the table near her head. “Aren’t they just … magnificent? Two Spikes!”
 
Andrew reached a hand out and touched the Spike nearest him, the one with the blond hair and yellow Wellies on. “One,” he counted reverently, like the Cookie Monster counting chocolate chips on ‘Sesame Street’. Then he moved his hand over to the barefoot, fuzzy-wuzzy Spike’s chest. “Two.”
 
Andrew moved his hand back to number one’s chest. “One.” Then back to number two. “Two.
 
“Spike number one, Spike number two,” Andrew continued, moving his hand back and forth between them. “One Spike, Two Spike, Old Spike, New Spike …” Andrew prattled giddily, sounding like a character from a Dr. Seuss book. His rambling drew a deadly glower from ‘One Spike’ and a suspicious glare from ‘Two Spike’.

 

“I wish to God in heaven everyone would stop calling me that!” ‘Two Spike’ exclaimed, utterly exasperated. “My name is William!”
 
“Yeah, well, welcome to the soddin’ club, William,” ‘One Spike’ retorted sarcastically.
 
“Buffy,” ‘Old Spike’ continued, looking down at her confused face. “This blighter says he’s your husband. Are you married to Spike or … William?”
 
“I … uhhh…” Buffy stammered, finally looking up at Andrew. “There really are two of them?”
 
Andrew shook his head enthusiastically, his eyes wide with wonder. “One…” he began again, reaching a hand out, but stopped when Spike growled at him. The Jedi jerked his hand back against his chest and folded his other hand around it, as if to hold it there against its will. “Two,” he finished. “There are two,” he assured her quickly, keeping his hands to himself.
 
With some effort, Buffy pushed against the hard tabletop she was laying on to sit up. William helped her, pulling her by the hand that he still held in one of his. Spike also helped her, putting a hand on her shoulder to steady her.

 

When Buffy was sitting on the edge of the table, her feet dangling off the side, she looked at the two men standing in front of her. They weren’t identical, but they were close enough to be twins. Both had looks of concern for her etched in their handsome features; both sets of blue eyes were riveted on her. Both had on black t-shirts and black jeans, both had Xin Rong's scar over their left eye, and both held swords in their left hands. About the only difference she could see, other than the hair, were the slicker-yellow boots on one, and bare feet on the other.
 
“Well,” booted-Spike prodded. “Is this your soddin’ husband? I think he’s a vamp that’s picked up some shape-shifting mojo. I heard that there were some voodoo priests in Borneo that could …” he started theorizing.
 
Buffy gave William a small smile and nodded as Spike talked. “This is my husband,” she announced quietly as tears welled in her eyes. She swallowed and blinked them back, a feeling of overwhelming relief flooding over her.
 
Booted-Spike looked like he’d been physically slapped, and took a step back. “What?! Just like that? He says he’s soddin’ William! Talks like a right ponce, ain’t even got any hair – I thought you liked curls! And … and … he fights like girl!” he proclaimed indignantly. “This is what you married!?”

 

Buffy turned her eyes to Spike. “I fight like a girl too. Wanna see?” she offered but there was no real threat to her words.
 
She reached a hand out to William, turning her eyes back to him. William raised his chin in vindication and looked down his nose at Spike as he stepped up closer to Buffy, taking her hand in his and pulling it to his lips.
 
Buffy pulled him to her, wrapping her arms around his neck and leaning her head on his shoulder. Buffy sighed in relief, and the tears that she had thwarted a moment ago came back with a vengeance. He was obviously still lost in those hallucinations of William and Avengelyne, but he was whole and he was alive and he was here. Spike was here. Her Spike. She could feel it in her soul. She didn’t know how he'd gotten here, but there was no doubt, he was here. It would just take a little time and his memory would come back, they’d figure out a way out of this place, and everything would be alright.
 
William wrapped his arms around her and took comfort in her embrace. It was the first comfort he’d felt in a good long while. His angel was alive! Living, breathing, talking, and feeling like heaven in his arms. His angel would know what to do now, how to get back to London, back to the children. He let out a breath that he’d been holding and melted against her. Everything would be alright now.
 
Buffy began dropping soft kisses along his cheek and over his face. When his lips met hers she felt like she was drowning in his love. For a moment she let herself get lost in the feel and taste of him. All the pain from the ‘memory acid trip’, all the worry, all the stress, all the sadness, melted away like a snowball in hell. He was here. Together, they could do anything, defeat anyone.
 
Finally, Buffy pulled back and looked William in the eye, settling her hands on each side of his face. “I missed you so much,” she choked out, her voice full of emotion as tears slid down her cheeks.
 
William lifted a hand and gently brushed her tears away. “My world ended when you left, Avengelyne … I … for me and the children. I’ve never felt such emptiness, such … unrelenting sorrow.”

 

“I’m so sorry, William. I just …” Buffy swallowed. “I’ll explain everything later – why I couldn’t stay and … and …” Buffy faltered. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, and Annie’s distraught face stared back at her from the dark behind her lids. Finally, she opened her eyes and looked back at her husband; her eyes seemed to have aged ten years in those brief seconds.
 
“There are some other things I have to tell you … things that happened while you were … while we were apart,” she amended, trying not to confuse him any more than he already was. “But I think right now, we need to work on getting home.”
 
William nodded his agreement. “Indeed, I believe I’ve had quite enough of this world.”
 
Buffy snorted a small laugh. “I think we all have.”
 
Buffy finally noticed the smoke coming from William’s bare feet. “Oh no! The holy water!” she realized. “Andrew, do you have any more of those boots?” she asked, indicating the boots that Spike had on with a nod of her head.
 
Andrew nodded excitedly and scampered off in search of more boots.
 
“Why don’t you sit down here – get out of the … water?” Buffy suggested to William, patting the table next to her.
 
William gave Spike another haughty look, and sat down next to her, but didn’t release the hold he had on his sword. He looked at his feet, which were still stinging and smoking a bit, and worked on brushing the burning, red muck off them.
 
Buffy rubbed her hand over the top of William’s head, feeling the bristles that were there in place of his curls. It felt funny under her fingers, kinda sharp and rough, but good. She had a hard time pulling her hand away from it. “What happened to your hair?”
 
William shrugged and touched his head self-consciously. “I am hopeful that the curls will grow back for you.”
 
Buffy nodded, blew out a long breath, and began trying to gather information ... real information, rather than cosmetic. “How did you get out of the octopus? How did you get here? How did you find me?” she asked, not allowing him to answer one before firing off the next question.
 
William shook his head slightly. “Octopus, you say? I must admit that I don’t have any recollection of that.”
 
“Ok, start with what you do remember,” Buffy encouraged him, taking his free hand in both of hers.

 

“I clearly recall the vampire killing you, Avengelyne,” William began, anguish coloring his words.
 
“And you killed the vampire.” Buffy smiled at him reassuringly.
 
William nodded and gave her a small smile back. “Yes. And then … you were gone and …” he stopped and shook his head. “There was so much blood.”
 
“I know,” Buffy agreed softly. “It’s ok. Let’s skip that. How did you get here?”
 
William took a deep breath and gave her a grateful look. He’d relived that day too many times already. “I fell into the sea. I do not know from where … those moments were quite … muddled. As you told me would happen, Bess and Angel …” William bit his bottom lip and his eyes dropped to the floor. “I’m afraid I’ve done something rather … rash, Avengelyne.”
 
Buffy waited a moment and then prodded him when he didn’t continue. “It’s ok – what happened?”
 
“I … was bewildered. This place is … confounding,” he stammered, trying to explain. “I recognized the vampire that … I … Angel … I …” William closed his eyes and summoned his courage. “I dusted him,” he finally blurted out. “I dusted your envoy, Angel.”
 
“Bloody hell,” Spike interjected, taking a step back towards the table where William and Buffy sat, a tone of genuine pride in his voice. “Good on ya, mate!”

 

William’s head snapped up sharply and he glared at Spike, a growl rumbling unbidden from his throat. “No! Not good! Angel and Bess were to bring me to her, you see! But I … my rage overtook my good sense! It was imprudent and … barbaric. I was barbaric.”
 
“All the better, then,” Spike praised him, giving him a firm pat on the shoulder. “Love to hear the long and short of it over a pint one day – my treat.”
 
William huffed out a breath and turned back to Buffy. “I’m so sorry, Avengelyne. I … I didn’t realize until it was too late. Had he been reincarnated as a … an actual angel? Is that why you sent him for me? I must admit, he didn’t conduct himself as I would imagine an angel would.”
 
Buffy shook her head. What was done was done and Angel wasn’t really her concern right now. “Where’s Bess? She was with you and Angel? Where is she now?” Buffy asked instead of answering his question.
 
“I … I don’t know. She … while we were fighting, she must have fled.”
 
“Fled?” Buffy questioned in disbelief. “Bess left you and … fled? From what, a herd of fire-breathing dragons?”
 
William shook his head in confusion. “There are fire-breathing dragons here?”
 
Buffy rolled her eyes. “I don’t think so. Maybe. I don’t know. Where’s Bess?” she pressed again.
 
William lifted the hand she was holding, turning his palm up, conveying ‘I wish I knew’, and shook his head. “I'm afraid I don’t know. I ran after her through the tunnels, but … I ended up here. I thought perhaps she was here, then I saw you and …” He shrugged.
 
Buffy looked at Spike. “We need to find her. She doesn’t know how to dust the Reds, she doesn’t know about the bats and …” Buffy shook her head and slid off the table to her feet. “She’s strong but she’s … she can die … she can dust.”
 
Buffy looked back at William. “Did she have any weapons?”
 
William nodded. “I believe so … a stake, perhaps a … dagger? I don’t recall now. It all happened so fast.”
 
“Where was the last place you saw her?”
 
“In the basement,” William replied.
 
“What basement?”
 


William chewed his bottom lip a moment, looking down at the floor as he thought. He wanted desperately to run a hand through his hair, but Buffy was holding one, and his sword was in the other. Then he remembered he had no hair, and the impulse subsided slightly. He worked on remembering without the comfort of that familiar habit.
 
After a few moments, his eyes went wide and he looked back up at Buffy, a victorious smile on his lips. “They called it ‘Crawford Street’!”
 
Buffy nodded and gave him a reassuring smile. By now, Andrew had returned with another pair of boots for the second Spike.
 
“Ok, great! Let’s go!” Buffy exclaimed once William had pulled the goulashes on.
 
**~**
 
Spike squatted down, touched a spot of blood on the floor with his fingertips, and brought it to his nose. It was … unusual. He’d never smelled anything quite like it before: a Slayer turned vampire. It was a shocking bouquet that combined the sweet, stimulating perfume of Slayer blood with the acerbic, pungent aroma of the undead. It was, he realized, what it would smell like if his blood and Buffy’s were mingled together … or Buffy’s and William’s, apparently.


 
He’d had a hard time finding a pure sample in the basement at the mansion on Crawford Street. Angel’s blood was soaked into almost everything. The ponce, William, had actually dusted the great poofter, just as he’d claimed. Impressive. Or lucky.
 
Buffy and William waited at the door that led to the sewers while Spike sniffed around, literally. As he worked, they watched for Reds coming down the tunnels. Despite the fact that the tall vamps rarely ever used the sewers, William had insisted they came in that way when he, Bess, and Angel were here earlier.
 
Spike stole furtive glances at the pair as he worked. She married a soddin’ ponce. He shook his head and rolled his eyes. How could William be half of what a Slayer needed? Bloody pathetic, it was. He sighed to himself. She’d just been being nice to him when she told him that she’d married ‘Spike’, that her friends accepted ‘Spike’ into their circle, that she loved ‘Spike’. He could clearly see that it was William that had garnered that affection, not Spike. Buffy would never love Spike. He nodded to himself solemnly; that was how it should be, he reckoned. Spike was a monster.
 
While they waited, William turned soft eyes to Buffy and reached a hand out to her hair, which was no longer red from the vampire muck, but now dry and back to blonde. “Did they take your fiery mane away when you died?” he asked her with a tinge of disappointment in his voice.
 
Buffy gave him a gentle smile and a one shouldered shrug. “I guess,” she replied. “I don’t think ‘fiery’ is an adjective they want bandied around in heaven.”

 

William laughed lightly as he ran his fingers through her tresses. At least it was still as soft and thick as he remembered. “I’m certain you are correct.
 
“Do you think this … man can find her?” he asked with a hint of disdain, inclining his head towards Spike.
 
“If anyone can, he can,” Buffy assured him.
 
Just then, Spike walked up behind them. “Was someone else here? I’m getting …” Spike blew out a breath and ran a hand through his curls. “This sounds crazy, but I’m getting’ a whiff o’ Dru ‘ere.”
 
Buffy’s brows shot up. “Dru? You think Dru’s here?”
 
Spike shrugged. “Not an easy scent to forget.”
 
“Dru,” William repeated quietly. “Angel said something about Dru … Drusilla. The clothes! The clothes in the trunk were hers. Bess put on one of the dresses. Here,” William stepped past him, pulled the tattered snip of velvet from the nail just inside the doorway, and handed it to Spike. “This is what she was wearing.”
 
Spike took the proffered scrap and brought it to his nose. His eyes closed as he inhaled, and a thousand memories seemed to whisper through his mind. Dru. For him it conjured emotions most people would feel while reflecting on gleeful childhood memories. Thoughts of simpler times wafted up with the scent: carefree days of mayhem, bloodshed, and brutality. It gave him a warm feeling of nostalgia deep inside. Things were simpler then.

 

He blew out a breath and opened his eyes, stuffing the torn material into his pocket. Those days were long past; ancient history. “Right then – let’s find us a Slayer,” he announced, taking his sword from Buffy’s hand as he pressed roughly between the two sentries, knocking both William and Buffy back a step, and started down the tunnel.
 
He strode away down the sewer tunnel purposely while Buffy and William fell in behind him. They walked in silence and moved quickly. Every once in a while, Spike would raise his blood-stained fingers to his nose again and refresh the scent, although it was one he doubted he would ever actually forget. At intersections in the sewers he’d pause and smell in every direction before picking one and striding away again.
 
Buffy had long ago lost her bearings and didn’t know what direction they were even headed any longer. After walking for some time, the salty aroma of the ocean grew stronger – they were getting near the docks.
 
“You think she went back to the ocean? Maybe to find her way back to … back home?” Buffy asked at last, breaking the silence they’d been walking in. “Maybe there’s a portal there too – maybe that’s how they got here.”
 
Ahead of them, Spike shrugged but said nothing. That wasn’t what happened, he knew it as well as he knew his name, but he had to be sure … 100% sure, before he told the Slayer.
 
“You aren’t following the scent from when she came from the ocean, are you? You know – tracking backwards?” Buffy pressed.
 
“No,” was all Spike said.
 
It wasn’t so much the one word answer that unnerved Buffy as the way he said it. There was no attitude in it – no ‘what do you think I am, a bloody idiot?’ tone that she expected. It was said flatly, there was no emotion to it whatsoever. Spike’s voice had emotion in it if you asked him if it was raining outside. She shuddered, but didn’t ask anything else; she wasn’t sure she wanted to know.
 
Spike came to a stop at a ladder that led to the street above. “Stay ‘ere. I’ll check it out and be back.”

  

Buffy opened her mouth to argue, but clamped it closed quickly when Spike shot her a look that was a combination of pleading and command. That’s a tough look to pull off – but something between the hard the set of his jaw and the softness of his eyes conveyed it clearly. She nodded.

When Spike was gone, William said, “I know your desire was to go with him … why didn’t we? I assure you, Avengelyne, I’ve become quite skilled with the rapier. You needn’t worry about me.”
 
Buffy shook her head. “It’s not you, William. It was … something’s wrong and he’s not telling me. I think …” Buffy bit her bottom lip and blinked back tears, the uneasiness blooming into full-fledged fearful worry. “He knows more than he’s saying and maybe he needs some time to figure out …” Buffy’s voice cracked and she closed her eyes and shook her head, trying to will the worry away.
 
William pulled her into a hug and Buffy accepted gratefully. God, how she’d missed his hugs – she missed the strength she found in his embrace and the confidence he could instill in her with just a whisper.
 
As they waited, holding to each other, Buffy couldn’t help but think the worst. She was pretty sure Bess hadn’t just fled. She wouldn’t have left her father, especially not in his confused state, and certainly not in the middle of a fight with Angel.

Bess had just really started living again, and now this. Would she be another casualty of this hell-dimension? Another person to have their life stolen from them, just when she was starting to find joy in it? Another weight to add to the overwhelming burden of guilt Buffy felt over everything that had happened these last weeks?
 
A sob escaped her throat, and William ran a soothing hand down his wife’s back and ‘shushed’ her softly. He tucked her head under his chin and offered the only comfort he could in this godforsaken world. She’d always been so strong, so sure – she was always the teacher and he the student; she the instiller of confidence and he the eager receptacle. Now she needed him to be the strong one and, for perhaps the first time in his life, he felt up to the task.
 
Spike dropped back down to the tunnel floor after closing the manhole cover, not even bothering with the ladder. “Let’s go,” he instructed curtly as he began to walk back the way they’d come.
 
“What? Wait? Spike!” Buffy called after him, pulling away from William and running behind the blond vamp. She grabbed his arm and spun him around to face her. “Where is she? What’s going on?”
 
Spike swallowed and turned his head to look behind him, away from Buffy. “We need to go – the Reds might’ve followed me…”
 
“Noooo,” Buffy drawled through clenched teeth, standing firm. “Tell me what’s going on.”

 

Spike, turned back to look at her. He said nothing for a moment as he pursed his lips and studied her. She’d been crying, he could tell, and now he could smell her fear and feel her anger building. He blew out a long breath and his shoulders slumped. “The Slayer’s lost,” he told her. “I’m sorry, Buffy.”
 
Buffy furrowed her brow and shook her head. “Lost? You mean you lost the trail?”
 
Spike shook his head. “No … she’s … we can’t get ‘er back.”
 
Buffy blinked, then stared at him blankly for a moment. “She’s … dusted?” Buffy swallowed the fear back as her heart started to crumble a bit more in her chest.
 
Spike closed his eyes and shook his head again. “I don’t think so.”
 
“Goddammit, Spike! Tell me what the fuck is going on!” Buffy insisted, grabbing his upper arms and shaking him.
 
He blew out a breath and opened his eyes. “The Reds ‘ave her … in the ship – the Reefer. We …” he shook his head. “She’s lost, Buffy. We can’t get ‘er back. We don’t have enough … anything to fight them all.”
 
Buffy’s mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water for a few moments and she shook her head in disbelief.
 
“Did you see her? Are you sure?” Buffy demanded.
 
Spike shook his head. “Didn’t see ‘er; didn’t need to. Trail o’ blood went up the gangway … they’ve got ‘er.”
 
“But you think she’s still … alive … not dusted, right?” Buffy pressed.
 
“Wouldn’t make any sense for them to carry ‘er all this way and then dust ‘er.”
 
“Carry her,” Buffy repeated, her brows furrowed. “You knew? You knew she wasn’t walking on her own all this time and you didn’t say anything?”
 
Spike shrugged. “Didn’t know for sure until …” he glanced up at the manhole cover, then back down at her. “She’s lost, Buffy.”
 
Buffy glared at him a long moment, then she let go of his arms and turned on her heel. She headed back towards the ladder to the street in a determined march. “Bullshit. I’m not leaving her there.”
 
“Buffy!” Spike called, taking long strides to catch her. William stepped in his path and blocked him. Spike shoved him to the side and William shoved back. Spike banged off the wall of the tunnel, but slipped past William, catching Buffy just as she started up the ladder to the street.
 
“Slayer!” he yelled at her, grabbing her arm.
 
“Let me go! I’ll get her back or die trying,” she growled at him.
 
 “That’s exactly what you’ll do!” Spike insisted. “Die!
 
“Buffy, trust me. If I thought there was a way, I’d get ‘er m’self. But there’s not – there are too many Reds on that ship! There were too many when there were six of us – now there’s only …” Spike eyed William, who was now standing behind him, ready to intervene on Buffy’s behalf. Spike quickly decided to include him in the count, “… three.”
 
“Spike! She’s my daughter! It’s no different than Annie … I’m not leaving her there!”

 

“No one’s asking ya’ to, Slayer. Just wait. Wait for help. Your little Scooby troupe will be along to find ya, yeah? Let’s wait for some reinforcements – then we’ll get her out.
 
“Won’t do anyone any good if you go up there and die,” he pointed out, his voice softening.
 
“How many vampires are there?” William asked from behind Spike.
 
“Hundreds,” Buffy answered with a heaviness in her voice that he’d never heard before.
 
She stepped back down off the ladder and onto the floor of the tunnel, her jaw clenched in frustration, anger, and fear. “Damn it!” she cursed and punched the wall with all her strength. Shards of crushed cement and brick rained down onto the floor, but it didn’t really make her feel any better.
 
Buffy’s stomach roiled as images of what those hideous, barbaric vampires were doing to Bess. The girl had been through so much with the Council already. She had just started to trust others and let love into her heart. If she survived, would she be able to claw her way back from it again? Finding herself a prisoner again, would the Slayer-vamp simply give up? Would she dust herself rather than give them a chance to...
 
“Damn it all to hell,” Buffy cursed again, looking back up the ladder. Spike was right, of course. She’d do nothing but get herself killed. She wasn’t sure that could be any worse than the feeling of helplessness that was flooding through her right now. She felt like she was being torn apart from the inside. She couldn’t stand the thought of not going after Bess, but there was more than Bess depending on her. Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!
 
“We’ll check the portal,” Spike offered. “Maybe your mates have made it through already and are lookin’ for ya, yeah?”
 
Buffy looked at him and huffed out a breath of consternation, but finally nodded in resignation. She looked back up the ladder. “Hold on Bess … please just hold on,” she whispered skyward before falling into formation behind Spike, with William at her side.
 
He took her hand and squeezed it tightly. “She’s a strong lass,” William assured her.
 
Buffy nodded but said nothing. William didn’t remember … he didn’t know what Bess had been through. Hell, he didn’t even seem to realize she was their daughter. In that moment, Buffy wished with all her heart that Spike was here instead of William … her Spike. He would’ve gone with her to face the Reds and get Bess back – hell, he would’ve been the first to charge the enemy’s stronghold, odds be damned. He was just that fucking foolish and impulsive and pig-headed … and loyal and brave.
 
**~**

{{  Click here to hear Reunited by Peaches and Herb on YouTube  }}


I was a fool to ever leave your side
Me minus you is such a lonely ride
The breakup we had has made me lonesome and sad
I realize I love you
'Cause I want you bad, hey, hey

I spent the evening with the radio
Regret the moment that I let you go
Our quarrel was such a way of learning so much
I know now that I love you
'Cause I need your touch, hey, hey

Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited
'Cause we're reunited, hey, hey

I sat here staring at the same old wall
Came back to life just when I got your call
I wished I could climb right through the telephone line
And give you what you want
So you will still be mine, hey, hey

I can't go cheating, honey, I can't play
I found it very hard to stay away
As we reminisce on precious moments like this
I'm glad we're back together
'Cause I missed your kiss, hey, hey

Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited
'Cause we're reunited, hey, hey

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Ba-a-a-by

Lover, lover, this is solid love
And you're exactly what I'm dreaming of
All through the day
And all through the night
I'll give you all the love I have
With all my might, hey, hey

Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited
'Cause we're reunited, hey, hey
End Notes:
How are they going to get Bess back from the Reds? How are they going to get out of this dimension? Can Spike and William work together without killing each other? What more could possibly go wrong? We'll soon find out...

Lots more to come!!
If I Knew Then by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
The angst returns. William is afraid that Buffy really wants Spike and not him. Bess tries to hold onto her very life as regrets for missed opportunities and a lost future spur her on.
**
Firstly, thanks to you for reading. If not for you there would be no reason for this. Thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
 Sunday, May 8th, 2011, Gift-less Universe:
 
“It’s like … ummm … tomato juice,” Buffy explained to William as he eyed the mug of thick, red liquid suspiciously. “Try it, I know you’ll like it,” she encouraged him, pressing it into his hand.



William smelled it. “It doesn’t smell like any sort of juice I’ve ever encountered,” he protested with furrowed brows.
 
“Just trust me. You’ll love it,” Buffy cajoled sweetly, feeling like she was trying to talk Billy into eating green peas. No! Gross! They squish like eyeballs! Blech!
 
There had been no sign that anyone had come through the portal at ground zero, so the trio came back to base camp. Spike said he’d take a note back there and leave it on the altar along with a map so when her friends did come, they could find their way to them. By the time the trio of Spike, William, and Buffy had gotten back from looking for Bess, all the red muck had morphed back into harmless, dry, glittery dust. Andrew had dried off all the holy water in Room 314 and gathered some plywood and two-by-fours to make a new make-shift door in case the Reds came back. It wouldn’t hold the large vampires for long, but the splintering wood would give everyone inside the room warning of the Reds’ arrival, at least. And now Buffy was trying to get William to drink some blood.
 
“Please? For me?” Buffy gave him her best smile.
 
William sighed and melted – he never could resist that smile. He lifted the mug to his lips and the demon within surfaced without him even realizing it. He guzzled the blood down furiously and handed the mug back to Buffy eagerly.
 
“Perhaps … I was a bit quick to judge,” he admitted abashedly.
 
“Would you like some more?” she asked hopefully.
 
“If it … I mean … I wouldn’t want to impose on our … hosts or appear a glutton,” William stammered.
 
“It’s ok, they don’t mind. I’ll be right back.” Buffy took the mug and headed off in search of Andrew. The next mug would not be animal blood. William needed something stronger, something to heal his mind quickly – he needed Slayer blood.
 
**~**
 
“I don’t think that’s such a good idea,” Andrew balked at Buffy’s request to draw her blood. They were standing in a small kitchenette within the ‘suite’ that he and Warren had created in Room 314. Apparently Warren’s talent with all things mechanical earned him the largest accommodations in the community – larger and more lavish even than the leaders.

 

“I didn’t ask your opinion. He needs it. Either you draw it or I’ll slash my wrist and draw it myself,” she threatened.
 
Andrew made a pained expression. “Owww!” he exclaimed, rubbing a hand over his own wrist. It hurt him just thinking about it.
 
“You lost a lot of blood to the Reds not twenty-four hours ago,” he reminded her. “I don’t think…”
 
Buffy started rummaging through the drawers looking for a knife.
 
“Ok! Ok!” Andrew acquiesced and Buffy stopped pulling out drawers. “But not a pint – just one mug … half a pint. Then maybe tomorrow another mug, ok?”
 
“Fine – do it.”
 
**~**
 
Later, while William got a shower, Spike helped Buffy bring in a mattress from another room and Andrew found some dry sheets and blankets to put on it. The mattress was wet – pretty much everything was wet, but they flipped it over and it wasn’t too bad. Except for the lovely periods of unconsciousness, she couldn’t remember how long it had been since she’d slept. She wasn’t really even sure how long she’d been here. Shouldn’t someone have come looking for her by now? Certainly Annie could show them where the portal was. Or were they all too busy looking for Spike, Bess, and Angel – unaware that they were here too?
 
Then she got a cold feeling deep inside her. What if Warren had done something to them … what if he had hurt her friends, or put them under a spell or something? What if they didn’t even realize she was gone? Had he been the one that had dropped her back through the portal? Her gut said he was the most likely suspect; she didn’t just fall in all by herself. She would have to interrogate Andrew later to find out just what Warren was capable of, magical and otherwise.
 
Spike pulled her out of her thoughts when he stated flatly, “You lied.”

 

Buffy blinked and stopped her task of putting the sheets on the mattress. “I what?”
 
“You bloody well lied,” he repeated. “You said you were married to Spike. You made me think …” his voice broke and his jaw clenched. He didn’t know why it hurt him so much to think that she had lied about that, but it did. Perhaps he just wanted to think that somewhere, in some world, he was worthy of her love. Spike was worthy. “You lied,” he said again in a deep, hoarse voice.
 
Buffy shook her head and stood up from the floor where she’d been working. “No, I didn’t. I am married to Spike.”
 
“That,” Spike spat, waving an arm in the general direction of the bathroom, “is not Spike.”
 
Buffy took a deep breath and blew it out. “He’s not himself … it’s a long story – some of which I don’t even know. I didn’t lie to you.”
 
“I’m not gettin’ any older,” he informed her, folding his arms over his chest and looking at her expectantly.
 
Buffy rolled her eyes and sighed. “Fine,” she acquiesced. She took a deep breath and tried to come up with a Cliff’s Notes version of what had happened. “While I was here with Annie, he and Bess and Angel were fighting a big demon octopus … sound familiar? Apparently Tara’s mojo was stronger than she thought,” she began with a tone of accusation in her voice.  
 
When Spike didn’t reply or even act like he noticed the venom in her voice, she continued, “Spike was swallowed by it – he’s been immersed in an acid bath this whole time, while Bess and Angel tried to rescue him. He began hallucinating … about the past. About … London and – it’s really complicated, but he thinks he’s William. He thinks I’m his wife from 1890, Avengelyne … he doesn’t remember being Spike … yet.

 

“I didn’t lie. I married Spike – I married a warrior with the heart of a sweet, romantic man.” Buffy stepped forward and laid a hand softly on the side of Spike’s face, meeting his eyes with hers. “If things had been different here … if the battle with Glory hadn’t claimed so many lives, one day she would’ve loved you too.”
 
Spike averted his eyes and stepped back. The fluttering in his chest that he had fought since the first day he’d laid eyes on the Slayer exploded like an exaltation of larks taking flight in a single whoosh of shining wings. It was actually physically painful and he wrapped his arms around his torso to keep his ribcage from exploding. Words escaped him – thoughts escaped him. Spike turned quickly and ran right into William, who had been standing unnoticed in the doorway behind him. Spike powered past his doppelganger and out of the room, without a word.
 
William stood unmoving in the doorway, freshly bathed and dressed in clean jeans and a t-shirt borrowed from Spike. His eyes met and locked with Buffy’s across the short distance. He looked utterly heartbroken – crestfallen. His expressive blue eyes shone with hurt and betrayal.
 
“I am not …” he began, then swallowed hard. He took a deep breath and began again. “I am not your husband? I am not what you … desire?”

 

“William,” Buffy coaxed softly, stepping forward. “Yes. You are my husband.”
 
“But you just said you married … Spike, a warrior. I am many things, but I am no warrior. Many things here are confounding, but of this I am quite certain.”
 
Buffy gave him a small, sad smile and took his hand. She led him over to the mattress that lay on the floor and pulled him down to sit next to her. “William, you are a warrior. How many vampires did you kill in the basement? You fought Angel and dusted him. Do you have any idea how many times I fought Angel and could never dust him?”
 
“But … I don’t understand. You said you were married to Spike. I may acquiesce to your point that I have gained some fighting skills previously unbeknownst, but my name is not ‘Spike’ nor should I ever imagine it would be,” William argued.
 
“William, do you remember when I first came to you, I told you that we had been together but I lost you?”
 
William nodded, his eyes searching hers for the truth. He suddenly felt unsure again, just as he’d felt since dropping into the ocean in this strange land. Nothing had made any sense, he didn’t know who to trust; everything was frightening and overwhelming. He felt as if he had been walking in quicksand, and one small misstep would take him under to his grave. Then his angel was there, and everything was fine again – he felt sure and confident. But now … now he was losing his grasp on that feeling of surety he had gained; it was slipping through his fingers like grains of sand. Who was he to her? Was she really his Avengelyne or did she belong to Spike?
 
“The man you became, that I knew, that I lost, was named ‘Spike’. That’s why everyone calls you that – they think you’re him. You look like him,” Buffy explained gently, reaching a hand out to touch his face.
 
“But … that … that … malcontent is named Spike,” he asserted, waving his arm at the door Spike had fled through. “This is what I am to become?” he asked with alarm. Then an even worse thought came to his mind. “Or is he … when you … passed over, were you reunited with him? Is he your one true love where I was simply a … stand-in?”
 
“No!” Buffy exclaimed in alarm, shaking her head adamantly. “No,” she continued in a calmer voice, “he’s not my husband. You are. You are William. You are Spike. You’re a warrior and a gentle man with a lion’s heart. You just don’t remember yet, but you will. I promise, you will. Everything will be alright, William, just trust me. You’re the one I love – the only one I’ve ever loved.”

 

William closed his eyes and tried to believe her. It was all so confusing and frightening. “I suddenly find myself overwhelmed with exhaustion,” he admitted quietly.
 
Buffy nodded. “Lay with me,” she requested, shifting around on the mattress to lie down and opening her arms, inviting him to join her. William looked at her for a long moment, indecision and worry in his expressive blue eyes. He still wasn’t certain she was telling the truth; he couldn’t wrap his head around what she was saying about Spike and William being the same person. Was he deluding himself to think that this angel, this Slayer, would actually choose him over a true warrior if given the choice?
 
“Please?” Buffy whispered. “William, I need you here, with me.”
 
William bit his bottom lip and nodded slightly. He may be deluding himself, but he felt an indescribable pull towards her. She may not truly love him, but perhaps she could in time, he reasoned with himself as he lay down in her arms and cuddled against her. His eyes closed as he breathed in the fragrance of his wife and took comfort in her soft curves and strong embrace.
 
“I love you, William,” Buffy whispered against the top of his head.
 
“I love you, Avengelyne,” William replied groggily as his muddled mind slipped into the first actual sleep he’d gotten in weeks.
 
**~**
 
Bess moaned and her hand automatically went to the goose egg sized protrusion on the back of her head. It still hurt like a son-of-a-bitch. Then something occurred to her – she no longer heard William or Angel talking or arguing or fighting. She forced her eyelids open and looked around.
 
 “What the …?”
 
She was in a room she didn’t recognize and was alone. She pushed herself up to sitting as she tried to figure out what was going on. Her nose told her she was near the ocean; it also told her there were more of those big, red-eyed vampires around.
 
“William?” Bess called quietly as she struggled up to her feet. The room was small, no larger than her bedroom back at the mansion, and sparse. There really wasn’t anywhere for anyone to actually hide in it. She now stood in one corner of the room in front of a pile of dirty burlap bags that she’d been laying on. Apparently those were supposed to be her bed. There was only one window … a round one up high on one wall, well above her head. A porthole, she thought. I’m on a ship.

 

She moved in front of the window and jumped up so she could look out. She got a quick glimpse of the ocean outside the window before dropping back down to her feet. Her theory was confirmed – she was on a ship.
 
The jarring of the landing made the throbbing in her head turn into a shooting pain. She held her forehead in her hands to keep her brain from exploding out through her skull, and decided that jumping hadn’t been the best idea.
 
After a few moments, when the pounding in her brain subsided back down to a dull throb, she reached her hands into the pockets of the cloak she had on. Her weapons were gone.
 
“Damn it,” she muttered to herself before focusing on the single door of the room. Just like the walls, the door was made of steel. Before trying the handle, she put her ear up to it. There were vibrations echoing through the steel, but they were small and seemed to come from far away – it might’ve just been the ocean lapping against the hull and reverberating through the ship.
 
She pushed on the handle. Not surprisingly, it was locked. Her last shred of hope that her father had, for some unknown reason, brought her here, dissolved. She was locked in; she was a prisoner. That sudden realization chilled her. She felt a shiver run down her spine despite the warmth of the room … she knew the cause of it: pure fear.
 
Bess took a deep breath and closed her eyes as a hundred years of imprisonment flooded her mind. A hundred years of being a victim, a hundred years of being used and abused and treated like nothing more than a lab rat, a hundred years of fear and loneliness and despondency.
 
Bess opened her eyes, their blue depths shone in determination. “No,” she stated firmly. It wasn’t a plea or a prayer; it was a statement of defiance. “Not again.”
 
Bess wrenched the handle on the door with all her Slayer-vampire strength. It creaked loudly as the steel locking mechanism first resisted, but then bent to her will. A satisfied smile quirked Bess’ lips – obviously, her captors had underestimated her strength. The heavy door swung inward with a groan, as if moving actually pained it.
 
Bess cursed all the noise; it was sure to bring company. She decided the best course of action was to simply not be there when they showed up. She stepped into the dimly lit passageway and looked left and right. She had no idea which way to go to escape, but had a 50/50 shot at it. Those were better odds than she’d face if she just stood there frozen by indecision, so she turned left, hiked up her skirt, and began to run.
 
She came to a stairway and scrambled up it, taking the stairs two at a time. She hit the landing running hard, made the turn up, and flew up the next flight. There had been no sign of the red-eyed vamps at all. Maybe they were all sleeping, or out of town for the weekend on holiday.
 
When she turned the corner at the next landing and started up the next flight of stairs, the glimmer of hope that she wouldn’t have to fight to get out of here was squashed painfully. Bess was hit in a full body slam by one of the Reds, which had launched itself down from the landing above her. She was driven back and smashed violently down onto the stairs, the heavy vampire landing atop her. Her already throbbing head cracked against each stair as they both slid down to the landing below in a tangle of limbs.
 
The goose egg on the back of her skull ballooned into an ostrich egg from the heavy blows and the stabbing pain returned with a vengeance. Bess shook off the surprise and the stars that danced in front of her eyes, and began to lash out at her attacker with everything she had. Fists, fangs, and feet raged against the much larger vamp, and she knew at least some had connected because she could hear the creature screech. She bit down with her fangs on the only thing she could reach – its arm.
 
Brackish, gritty, lukewarm blood flowed into Bess’ mouth as she tore at the flesh of the vampire’s arm like Cujo with PMS. Her hands sought out its eyes and she tried to press her thumbs into the glowing red orbs, but before she could find her target, the vamp smashed its arm, which Bess was attached to, against the bulkhead.
 
The Slayer-vamp’s forehead banged off the steel and several of her teeth were broken by the blow, including her two long fangs. She was dislodged from the vamp’s arm and fell to the landing in a heap. Her head was now spinning in two directions at once. The blows she’d taken to the back of her head had already sent clockwise spirals out, and she’d been fighting through those, but now the blow to her forehead sent her head spinning in the other direction as well.
 
She tried to stand back up, to defend herself, to find a way to get past this single sentry, but she wavered on her feet. Freedom couldn’t be much further up these stairs – she need only get to the deck, then she could dive into the water and elude them. She doubted they could swim as well as she could … if only she could get to the water.
 
Bess shook her head as she righted herself, her hands clenched into small but mighty fists. She would get out of here or die trying. She would not be taken prisoner – not again. It was not an option.
 
The red-eyed vampire was simply standing there at the base of the stairs, watching Bess with an expression that showed little more than a bit of annoyance. Its arm had a gaping wound, but it barely seemed to notice; it just tilted its head to one side curiously and waited for Bess to get up. That, in itself, told Bess she was in big trouble. You don’t wait for your opponent to get up. You don’t let an enemy regroup and shake the cobwebs from their brain unless you’re very stupid, very confident, or …
 
Four more vamps came loping up the steps from below Bess, their long legs taking several steps at a time without any effort at all. From behind the vamp she had been fighting appeared more glowing red eyes – six in all.
 
… or you have reinforcements coming and you just have to wait for them to show up.
 
“Shit,” Bess cursed to herself as she looked from one group of Reds to the other.
 
“I guess that means I die today,” she muttered to herself as she kicked at the first vamp below her on the stairs as soon as it came within reach. It was a bare-chested male with the same long, dark hair and alabaster skin as all these tall, red-eyed vamps had. Her foot hit him square in the chin with a satisfying crunch. He grunted from the unexpected blow and tumbled backwards, taking the other three that were behind him down as well.
 
Bess would’ve liked to have watched them rolling down the stairs, but the vamp that she’d been fighting before decided that it had waited long enough. Now that reinforcements had arrived its bravery and initiative had returned as well. Bess just barely got turned back around before the fist of the vamp above her slammed into her jaw, sending the blonde sprawling back against the bulkhead.
 
Before she could recover, she was engulfed by the long-limbed, giant creatures. Bony fists and booted feet slammed against her body. She tried to protect her throbbing head from the blows by covering it with her arms. At a lull in the assault, she dropped to the floor and curled into a defensive ball just as the blows began anew.
 
As she took the beating and tried to resign herself to her fate, her mind was bombarded with regrets of things that would never be. Thoughts of the family she finally felt a part of, of her siblings and her parents, rushed in. The good memories that Wanda had promised Bess she could make with them were suddenly ripped from her grasp.
 
Troy’s face shimmered across her closed lids and the burgeoning feelings that he stirred in her made her chest tighten. There were feelings inside that she hadn’t yet allowed herself to name, hadn’t allowed into the light. She knew they were lurking there, just behind a veil that she’d woven out of her fear, but she refused to acknowledge them. She regretted never telling him what she felt; she regretted changing the subject anytime she thought he was going to profess his feelings towards her. That fear suddenly seemed so childish and stupid – there were plenty of things to fear that were much worse than love. Vampires with glowing red eyes, for example.
 
Thoughts of Sue-Ann and Angelpie popped into her mind. They were her two best friends in the world – friends that had reminded her what it was to have a friend, what is was to be a friend. She wished she could tell them both how much they had helped her find herself when she was so very, very lost. She was pretty sure Angelpie knew, but Sue-Ann probably didn’t. Why hadn’t she told her before? She should’ve told her.
 
Apparently deciding to die and actually dying without fear, regrets, and second thoughts were two entirely different things. There were so many things left to do, so much life left to live, but Bess didn’t think she could endure even a single moment as a prisoner, not again. Death on her terms, even with regrets, was better than life on someone else’s terms. A low, dangerous growl surged up from her gut and poured out of her throat. She had to fight – perhaps she could still escape, if not, then she would die trying. She wouldn’t die curled up in a ball like a victim; she would die like a Slayer.
 
She rolled to her knees and elbows, her hands and forearms still covering her head as the blows continued. She gathered every ounce of regret and fear she had within her and steeled herself with her emotions – this was her last, her only chance. She pushed up and lunged wildly at the nearest vampire, lashing out like a wildcat that had been backed into a corner.
 
Bones crunched, blood splattered – she felt her own flesh tear as the long nails of one of the beasts slashed across her shoulder. Live or die – it felt like the decision was hers for a brief moment. She simply needed to battle on, heedless of pain or injury – simply outlast them. She was a Slayer: this was her calling.
 
In the next instant, the choice to live or die was taken out of her hands. Her fate was not her own; it was sealed by a shrill war cry that cut the air like a gleaming hot knife blade. The Red’s cry of victory reverberated through the bowels of the ship, echoing down long, empty passageways and ringing in Bess’ ears like a death knell.   

**~**

{{  Click here to hear If I Knew Then by Lady Antelbellum on YouTube  }}


First time that I saw you,
lookin' like you did...
We were young, we were restless,
just two clueless kids...

If I knew then, what I know now,
I'd fall in love...

On a bus in Chicago,
three rows to the left...
You know my heart was racing for you,
but we never even met...

But if I knew then, what I know now,
I'd fall in love...

'Cuz love only comes,
once in awhile...
Knocks on your door,
and throws you a smile...
Takes every breath,
Leaves every scar...
It speaks to your soul,
and sings to your heart...

But if I knew then, what I know now,
I’d fall in love...

On a sunny night in August,
backseat of my car...
instead of tryin’ to get to know you,
I took it way too far...

But if I knew then, what I know now,
I'd fall in love...

Oh...
'Cuz love only comes,
once in awhile...
Knocks on your door,
and throws you a smile...
It takes every breath,
leaves every scar...
It speaks to your soul,
and sings to your heart...

But if I knew then, what I know now,
I’d fall in love...

Oh I used up a of chances,
I can’t get them back...
But if again it comes callin',
I'm gonna make it last...

'Cuz love only comes,
once in awhile...
It knocks on your door,
and throws you a smile...
It takes every breath,
leaves every scar...
It speaks to your soul,
and sings to your heart...

But if I knew then, what I know now,
whoa if I knew then, what I know now...
I’d fall in love....
End Notes:
Oh no, Bess! How many more lives will this dimension claim? Will Buffy be able to find a way to get home? Will she find a way to keep any of her promises? More to come.
I Knew I Loved You by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Cordy’s done waiting for the Sunnydale group to find her husband. The Scoobies are at a dead-end, unable to re-open the portal or determine, with certainty, exactly where Buffy, Spike, Bess, and Angel are. Buffy’s ass-deep in alligators. Can she find a way to drain the swamp?
**
I may not say it enough, but I think it all the time: Thank YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Monday, May 9th, 2011, Unexpected Universe:
 
A forlorn Scooby gang sat around the research table at the mansion, staring at each other. Not even Krispy Kreme donuts could lift their spirits or fuel new ideas in their brains. Finally, Xander began again, repeating the same thing that had been said perhaps a hundred times, trying to find something new in the theory – some clue they had missed.
 


“This Warren guy comes through the portal from the other dimension behind Buffy and Annie. He somehow kidnaps Buffy and builds an extremely expensive Buffy-clone to try and fool us. When he figures out the jig is up, he hightails it out of town. The Buffy-bot has no idea where he is or how to reach him. Even Willow can’t mojo anything off the Bot’s hard drive, or out of her memory, other than his picture and that he has ‘a very impressive penis’ and, maybe it’s just me, but I’m thinking that’s probably not even true.”
 
Everyone nodded slowly, solemnly.
 
“Thanks to Willow’s very scary, and apparently long, memory and knack for minutiae,” Xander continued, “we know Warren’s last name is ‘Mears’. Since Wills looked him up before, when Buffy and Spike told us about him about …oh … eight years ago, we know that the real Warren, the one from our world, is in jail for killing his girlfriend. Thanks again to Willow’s mad hacker skills, we now know he’s had no visitors in the last five years. So talking to him to try and find his equally-evil twin wouldn’t really do any good.”
 
Everyone again nodded their agreement with that assessment.  
 
“The new and improved Warren either dropped Buffy back through the portal to the other dimension or he has her cloaked, so locator spells don’t work. And, we can’t experience the fun and giddy excitement of being chased by giant bats and large, red-eyed vampires while looking for Buffy because someone closed the portal … permanently.”

Everyone nodded again.


 
Xander sighed. “Why?”
 
Everyone put on their ‘thinky-faces’. It wasn’t the first time they’d tried to figure that out.
 
“Maybe he’s just evil,” Anya suggested brightly. “Evil is as evil does.”
 
“What does that even mean?” Xander wondered, looking at his wife.
 
Anya looked at him like he was stupid. “It means … Evil is as evil does. Don’t you speak English?”
 
Xander sighed and rolled his eyes. “Ok, he’s evil – why would he kidnap Buffy?”
 
“So she doesn’t interfere with his evil plans, of course,” Anya offered.
 
“Ok … if he could kidnap her, then he could kill her, right? Why not just kill her?” Xander pressed.
 
“Because then he wouldn’t have anyone to have rutting deer sex with, since we have his sex toy,” Anya theorized.


 
Xander looked horrified. He hadn’t actually thought of that.
 
“I don’t believe he’s holding her captive,” Giles interjected. “If he had her as a prisoner, why close the portal? I believe Buffy … along with Spike, Bess, and Angel, are all in that bat dimension.”
 
“Well, if that’s true, at least they’re all together,” Tara observed.
 
“Perhaps,” Giles agreed. “The real question is: how do we get them back?” He looked at Willow – their strongest magical vessel.
 
Willow sighed heavily and shook her head. “The dehydrated Paradoxophyla palmata he used was 100% pure. There wasn’t even any cheap Bufo bufo mixed in like you sell at …”
 
Giles gave her a stern glare, and she cleared her throat. “Anyway … that direct portal into the bat dimension is gone and I have no idea how to find or make a new one.
 
“Our best bet would be getting help from some being that can travel between dimensions and knows where different dimensions are located at any given time … like a Vengeance Demon,” Willow suggested looking up from her computer and leveling her gaze on Anya.

 

“Ex. I’m an ex-Vengeance Demon,” Anya reminded her. “And I’m pretty sure after what Buffy did to D’Hoffryn, neither he, nor any of his girls, are gonna want to help us.”
 
Giles furrowed his brow. “You believe he … remembers that? None of the rest of us do, and … she changed the outcome by going back in time. Technically, she never killed him,” he pointed out.
 
Anya shrugged. “He’s not big on technicalities – he’s very black and white, especially when it comes to his enemies and getting killed. I’d lay odds he either remembers or knows someone that does. We should try and find someone else to help us … someone that has established, well-marked conduits between the dimensions.”
 
“Like … who?” Willow questioned.
 
“Wolfram & Hart,” a new voice came from the doorway.
 
Everyone at the table looked up to see Cordelia and Gunn standing just inside the garden doors. It was Cordelia who had spoken.
 
Giles stood up from his place at the table and started towards the pair from L.A. “I believe enlisting their help should be only done when all other remedies have been exhausted,” he told her.
 
“Fine,” Cordy sneered. “What other remedies do you have in mind?”

 

“Well … errrr … that is to say …” Giles stammered. “We’re working on it.”
 
“Yeah, well – I’m done letting you work on getting my husband back,” Cordy continued, her tone icy. “You people got him into this mess in the first place. If you think I’m just gonna sit around and wait while you sit around with your thumbs up your butts, you would be wrong. Again.”
 
“I assure you our thumbs are not up our butts,” Giles defended, growing angry. “And we didn’t get Angel into anything: he brought the mission to us, as I recall.”

 

“Oh, right – blame him because he was generous enough to share the payday with the Council!” Cordy snapped back. “If you people were half-way competent … if Spike hadn’t gotten himself eaten by the damn thing, none of this would’ve happened!”
 
“I’m very sure that Spike is quite penitent for the inconvenience he has caused Angel by getting eaten,” Giles replied sarcastically.
 
“Yeah, well,” Cordy shot back. “He shouldn’t be penitent – he should be damn sorry!”
 
Giles opened his mouth, then closed it again. “Indeed. I believe I know what to tell Buffy to get you for Christmas this year – a dictionary.”
 
Cordelia snorted. “Oh, pleease! I'd never read a dictionary! Those are for people with way too much time on their hands. 'See Spot Run' has more plot and suspense! And, anyway, I don’t know what that has to do with you people screwing everything up!”
 
Giles shook his head and sighed.
 
Wes moved from his place where he’d been sitting at the research table, and laid a hand on Cordy's arm. “Cordelia, I can assure you, we are doing everything in our power to retrieve Angel, Bess, Buffy, and Spike.”
 
“Yeah, well – you aren’t doing enough,” Cordy contended. “There’s no way in hell I’m leaving my husband in some other dimension, and especially not with Buffy.”

 

By now, all the Scoobies had come up to meet Cordy and Gunn the center of the great room.
 
“We aren’t entirely certain where Buffy is,” Giles pointed out.
 
“Well, it makes sense doesn’t it? She’s gone. He’s gone. They’re gone … together, at the same time,” Cordy contended.
 
“So,” Xander answered for all of them. “What worries you most about your husband being in a dimension with giant bats and super-strong vampires, is that Buffy is with him?”
 
Cordy huffed and folded her arms over her chest. “I’m not worried. I just want him back before she can get her grimy little mitts on him.”
 
“Right,” Xander replied sarcastically. “Because we all know how hard it is for her to keep her mitts off Dead Boy.”
 
“You do realize that Angel would likely not agree with your plan to go to Wolfram & Hart,” Giles tried, attempting to reason with her. “He did, after all, explore and explore every possible avenue in an effort to cure your illness without resorting to such measures.”
 
Cordy pursed her lips defiantly. “Yeah, well, I think all our avenues are like last year’s prom dress – dead ends. You should all be grateful that I know people there now … people that can actually do something.”
 
“What does that mean, anyway? Last year’s prom dress is a … dead end?” Willow piped up. “That doesn’t even make sense.”

 

“Of course you wouldn’t get it,” Cordy scoffed, looking Willow up and down disdainfully, but the fashionista never did explain the comment further.
 
“You can either come with us or not,” Cordy continued. “I don’t care – but I thought I’d give you the chance to save your … friends.” Cordy sneered the last word. “I have a meeting with Lilah tomorrow morning at ten – be there or not. One way or the other, I’m getting Angel back. I will not let that bitch keep him away from me again.”
 
With that, she turned on her heel and marched out of the garden doors with Gunn trailing behind her.
 
“Queen C lives,” Xander moaned, rolling his eyes.
 
Giles sighed heavily and rubbed at his tired eyes. They needed to figure something out before Cordelia opened Pandora’s box and got in even deeper with Wolfram & Hart.

**~**
 
 (Later that Night) Monday, May 9th, 2011, Gift-less Universe:
 
Buffy watched William sleeping in her arms. He muttered incomprehensible words as he dreamt, and at times his arms or legs would jerk. He kicked her more than once, but she wouldn’t release her hold on him. She shushed him softly and caressed his fuzzy hair and face, trying to comfort him. She wished she could fall asleep and join him in his dreams where she could perhaps actually do something useful to help him with whatever monster he was facing there, but despite her exhaustion, sleep was elusive.

 

To be honest, she was a little afraid that the monster in his dreams was her. The look he’d had earlier after he’d overheard her telling Spike that she had married a warrior haunted Buffy. She was sure he never did fully understand what she was trying to tell him, so lost was he in the persona of William. Just one more thing for her to feel shitty about – later.
 
Right now what she was most concerned about was rescuing Bess and getting them all home. With Andrew’s help, she’d figured out that she had actually been here about three or four days! Days! Where the hell was everyone? Why hadn’t anyone come looking for her? Surely they must’ve figured out where she was by now. Even if they didn’t know where she was, they must suspect this was where Spike and Bess were … and Angel. Buffy tried to not even think about how to explain Angel’s dustiness to Cordy. That made her head hurt – worse.
 
Buffy still didn’t know how the three octopus-demon fighters had ended up here, but obviously it had something to do with that damn sea creature that Tara had mojo’d to their dimension. Maybe killing it mojo’d it back and it pulled the fighters along in its wake. Had it left an open portal somewhere that they could get to? William was of little help with this, but maybe Bess could tell her where they’d come into this dimension from.
 
But, of course, Bess was a prisoner of the Reds. Buffy had to figure out a way to rescue Bess with just the three … or four, if you count Andrew, of them. Maybe with more holy water. Maybe they could flood the ship with it – except that could dust Bess too. No, it would have to be a surgical strike. She mulled this over for a long time, trying to figure out how to get to Bess and get them all off the Reds’ ship alive. She found no answers.
 
On top of all that, she had to figure out a way to get home, because if no one had come by now, they probably weren’t coming. She was pretty sure clicking her heels together three times and saying ‘there’s no place like home’ wasn’t gonna cut it, even if the floor outside was covered in sparkling, ruby slipper dust.
 
And this was why she couldn’t sleep: too many questions and absolutely no answers.
 
She sighed and dropped a soft kiss atop William’s fuzzy head. His short stubble of hair tickled her lips and she just had to run a hand over his shorn locks again. Another mystery – where had his hair gone? For this question, she did have a theory: the acid in the octopus bile had eaten his hair away; this is all that had grown back. She missed his curls, but had to admit that rubbing her hand over his fuzzy hair was a nice way to wile away a few hours on a sleepless night.
 
**~**
 
Buffy looked down at the snapping, snarling jaws below her and scrabbled up higher in the tree she was clinging to. When she looked back down, all she could see were teeth – thousands and thousands of sharp teeth. She shook her head and looked again – the teeth were attached to … alligators?

 

“When you’re up to your ass in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original mission was to drain the swamp,” came her own voice from down below.
 
Buffy looked across the snarling mound of alligators and saw herself sitting up on a cypress knee, casually sipping an iced cappuccino and smiling up at Buffy.
 
“What?” Buffy asked herself incredulously. The teeth of one of the gators below her scraped against the bottom of her shoe and she shimmied higher up the straight, branchless tree she was clinging to.
 
“When you’re up to …”
 
“I heard what you said – what the fuck does that mean?” Buffy interrupted herself.

 

Cappuccino-Buffy sighed and shook her head. “It means, dumbass, that you’re so mired down in problems that you forgot what your original mission was.”
 
“I didn’t have a mission, dumbass,” Buffy retorted, looking down at herself. “I was dropped in here mission-less!” Buffy began to slide down the slick, bark-less tree trunk and she tightened her grip with her arms and legs as the gators continued thrashing below her.
 
Cappuccino-Buffy rolled her eyes. “Fine – but just an hour before you were dropped in here, you had a mission.”
 
Buffy looked at herself blankly.
 
“You told Annie about it?” she prodded herself.
 
Buffy sobered. “To fix everything. To go back in time and fix everything.”
 
“Give the Slayer a Kewpie doll!” Cappuccino-Buffy exclaimed, touching a finger to her nose.
 
“But … I need Willow and … magic and a plan and …” Buffy stammered.
 
“Oh, please give me a break! You have everything you need right here in the swamp!” the Buffy on the ground asserted, waving one arm out.
 
Another alligator jumped up at Buffy and latched onto her booted foot. Buffy yelled and kicked at it with her other foot, holding on to the tree with just her arms. The large reptile growled and thrashed, but finally let go of her, leaving five teeth embedded in the side of her boot. Buffy shimmied further up the tree. Her arms and legs were quivering with the effort of holding on so tightly, but she had no intention of letting go with that tangle of teeth and tails below, just waiting to devour her.

 

When Buffy got back up out of reach of the gators, she looked around at what the other Buffy was talking about. The swamp looked like the Louisiana bayou that Richard Gere and Kim Bassinger tried to escape through in the movie ‘No Mercy’ – except for two small details.  The first difference was that along with the tall cypress and gum trees, which were heavily laden with Spanish moss, there were five huge alligators chomping at her heels. The second difference was the water: it was a crimson, glittering, gelatinous muck. Ok, maybe those aren’t really small details.
 
Buffy looked at her twin. “That stuff nearly killed me!” she told herself. “How is that supposed to help? I should just commit suicide by emotional meltdown … is that your great advice?”
 
“You know, your smartass remarks really make it hard for someone to help you,” Cappuccino-Buffy derided her as she crossed her legs casually and took another sip of her drink.
 
Buffy sighed heavily and kicked at another gator that almost made it high enough to clamp down on her foot. It didn’t seem to matter how high in the tree she climbed, she could never get very far out of their reach.
 
“Ok, fine … tell me. I’m all atwitter with curiosity,” Buffy retorted sarcastically as she clutched the tree trunk.
 
Cappuccino-Buffy sighed and shook her head as she took another sip of her coffee. “How did you ever live this long without me?” she wondered idly.
 
“Pretty sure you’re my subconscious so I’m thinking you’ve been around the whole time,” Buffy shot back at her.
 
Cappuccino-Buffy pursed her lips in thought. “Oh. Huh … you must’ve actually been paying attention in that Psych 101 class.”
 
“Just tell me,” Buffy pleaded with herself as she clung to the tree.
 
“Who were you originally gonna send back in time to fix it?” Cappuccino-Buffy posited.
 
“Me – I would go back…” Buffy began.
 
“No! Originally,” Subconscious-Buffy cut her off tersely.
 
Buffy drew in a sharp breath and huffed it out as she kicked at another leaping alligator. “Do you think we can eighty-six these alligators?” she asked her subconscious. “It’s hard to remember the original mission when you’re ass deep in them, ya know.”
 
Subconscious-Buffy huffed out a breath of her own in mimicry of her counterpart, and tossed her empty Starbucks cup at the gators. They scattered like they had been shot – diving into the thick, scarlet, Jell-O and disappearing.
 
“You have no sense of adventure. You could never have your own reality TV show, I can tell you that right now,” her doppelganger informed her scornfully.
 
Buffy sighed in relief, both from the alligators leaving and the contention that she couldn’t have her own reality show, and slid down the tree to the bottom. Not knowing how deep the ‘water’ was, she stood on one of the knobby cypress knees near the tree, balancing herself against the sturdy, smooth trunk of the giant, bald cypress.
 
“Who knew the power of Starbucks Iced Cappuccino was so far reaching?” she quipped. “They really don’t charge enough for those things.”
 
“I’m not gonna hang around here all day. Places to go, people to annoy,” Subconscious-Buffy told her impatiently, crossing her arms over her chest.

 

“Right.” Buffy rubbed her eyes with her free hand. “Originally I told Spike he would go back and do one of those million things that he’s thought of that he should’ve done.
 
“But Rack’s gone, Tara …” Buffy began to explain.
 
“You don’t need them!” Subconscious-Buffy exclaimed in exasperation. “Look around you! Everything you need … everything Spike needs, is right here!” she asserted, waving her arms out.
 
Buffy’s brows furrowed. “He needs to be eaten by alligators?”
 
“You are insufferable!” Subconscious-Buffy scowled at her.
 
“Ok, now I know you’re not me! I have never in my life used the word ‘insufferable’,” Buffy contended tersely.

 

“Don’t blame me if I paid more attention in English class than you – probably because you were asleep over half the time!” Subconscious-Buffy informed her.
 
“Think, Slayer! I know there are some brain cells up there just waiting to be discovered,” Buffy’s twin taunted, giving her an expectant look.
 
Buffy huffed out a breath indignantly and rolled her eyes, feigning disinterest and boredom, but her mind was whirling, trying to figure out just what she was trying to tell herself. She thought about what the swollen, red dust had done to her when she smelled it. It sent memories hurtling through her...
 
She stopped and tilted her head in thought. Not memories. And they weren’t hurtling, she was.
 
She raised her eyes from the scarlet river below her and looked at her twin. “It sent me back in time … sent my consciousness back in time,” she realized. “They weren’t just memories. That’s why they felt so real –I was actually there.”
 
“You’re racking up the Kewpie dolls today, sister,” her smart-ass twin agreed. “You’ll be right up there with Dru ixn the ‘Adult Female with the Most Dollies’ category soon. You must be so proud,” subconscious-Buffy taunted.


 
Buffy rolled her eyes but didn’t respond to that; her mind was racing down another path – a path that might get her home, might fix everything. Then she sobered as she remembered how helpless she’d been.
 
“But … I tried to talk to myself and I couldn’t. Plus, I had no control over where I went; I was all over the place. How is that gonna help? It would kill Spike to just go back and … relive it,” Buffy pointed out.
 
“If he wants it badly enough, he’ll find a way to communicate with himself. Physically, it can’t kill him like it could you – his heart doesn’t beat. Emotionally … well, that’s another story.
 
“The question is, how much does he want it?” her doppelganger continued. “Is his love still true or has he changed too much? Does he even know how to love anymore? Has he given up? Does he believe? Does he still have the heart of a Warrior?
 
“He killed Dawn, after all … that’s not the Spike we know,” her subconscious-self asserted gravely.
 
Then, without warning, Subconscious-Buffy sprang up to her feet and stood on some bright green lily pads that rested atop the red goo. “I’m outta here … there’s a sale on Manolo Blahniks at Nordstroms.”
 
“There is?” Buffy asked hopefully, ready to be out of this mire, but suddenly her doppelganger was gone.
 
Buffy sighed and leaned down to pick up some of the ruby red goo that surrounded the cypress knee she was standing on. She studied it, rubbing it between her fingers, but didn’t bring it to her nose, just in case.
 
“It’s gonna be up to you Spike,” she muttered. “I hope you’re still the man you used to be.”
 
**~**
 
Buffy’s eyes fluttered opened and she looked around. Spike … or rather William, was curled against her side, still sleeping. She couldn’t tell what time it was or how long she’d slept, but she suddenly felt refreshed as a glint of hope surged in her. Could it work? Would the Reds’ dust, combined with holy water, send Spike back in time? Could Spike do it … could he change everything? Could he fix everything?
 
“Buffy…” William moaned and Buffy thought he had awoken – awoken as Spike.
 
Buffy looked at his face, but it was clear he was still asleep. She wondered if Spike was in there trying to find his way out of the maze of walls he’d put up to block out the pain. Tears stung her eyes and she caressed his face gently.
 
She wished she could go back in time and fix things here. If all she needed was motivation, then she knew that she would find a way to stop Glory – she’d find a way to make Annie whole, and make sure Spike, both Spikes, didn’t have to go through the pain he’d endured. She was plenty motivated. She thought Giftless!Spike was motivated too – but obviously her subconscious had its doubts.
 
She sighed heavily. She wouldn’t have the chance to try. It would have to be Spike. Without Rack, or another powerful practitioner, to send her back in time, she had no way to get there. The red goo sent her back, but to her own past, not the past of this dimension.
 
Still … if Spike failed, she could try again herself. If she could stop Spike and Bess from going with Angel to fight the demon octopus, that would stop one huge snowball from rolling down and crushing them. If they didn’t go, then perhaps Buffy and Annie wouldn’t have gone to the Green Grocer that day; if they hadn’t gone, then Annie wouldn’t have gotten hurt and opened the portal. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.
 
Hope gleamed even brighter as she thought about the chain of events. If she could stop the first small pebble from rolling down the mountain, maybe she could stop the avalanche. Hope continued to grow within her until she thought about the consequences of them not going with Angel. What if Angel couldn’t stop the octopus from crushing the reactor and the whole west coast, including Sunnydale, was flooded with toxic radiation?
 
“Damn it,” she muttered to herself angrily. Spike needed to succeed. He needed to find a way to stop Glory and stop the demons from taking over this dimension. That way there would be no octopus to fight. That was really the only sure way to make her family whole and keep them safe … or as safe as they could get living on the Hellmouth.
 
“Avengelyne,” William whispered as he raised a hand up to touch her face.
 
Buffy turned soft eyes to him and gave him a small smile. “Hey, baby. Did you sleep well?”
 
William brows furrowed slightly. “I had the queerest dreams,” he admitted, his voice still somewhat groggy.
 
“What about?”
 
William furrowed his brow as he thought. They had just been there in the front of his mind, but now seemed to have vanished with barely a trace. “I must admit to not actually remembering them so much as the feeling they inspired.”
 
“Which was?” Buffy asked gently.

 

William searched his mind for the perfect word for a few moments. “Desolate,” he finally settled on. “Completely empty and hopeless … barren … wretched. I missed you so terribly, Avengelyne. I … I never thought I’d see you again.”
 
“I missed you too, William. I’m here now. I’m not going anywhere, I promise,” Buffy assured him. She slid down on the mattress a little so her face was even with his. “I love you,” she whispered to him before pressing a soft kiss on his lips.
 
William wrapped his arms around her and pulled her body against his as he deepened the kiss. The feeling of her solid form pressed against him sent a wave of euphoria over him. It was a feeling he thought he’d never know again.

 

Memories flashed behind his closed lids as they kissed and held each other. He saw her laughing, dancing, and running through blue water on a pristine white beach. It was perplexing to William to see his Avengelyne in this way, her long, flaxen hair falling in waves around her beautiful face. He pulled back from the kiss slightly to look at her.
 
Their gazes met momentarily, then his eyes began to wander over her face. He studied her features, as if trying to commit every detail to memory. He brushed his fingers through her tangled mane of blonde and his eyes followed his hand. There was scant little light here, just a sliver that shone through an open doorway from some unknown source, but every drop of it glinted off her tresses as if off spun gold. This was the woman he saw when he closed his eyes, but he clearly remembered her with fiery red locks.
 
As if reading his mind, Buffy said, “It’s ok, William. The color of my hair doesn’t matter – the color of my heart is love and it’s all yours.”
 
William tilted his head slightly and gave a small nod. “And mine is yours – I feel that I’ve loved you forever, even before I met you.”
 
“I know … I know that feeling,” Buffy assured him as she moved her lips to his. She nibbled at his mouth, teasing his lips with her tongue. His tongue darted out and met hers, then he pressed his mouth against hers again and let his tongue delve into the depths of her warm, wet heat.
 

Buffy’s hands wandered over his t-shirt-clad back, down to his belt and back again. She longed to feel his skin under her fingers, feel his cool flesh against hers, feel the hardness of him pressing into her.
 
Their mattress was in the main room of Andrew’s suite: the room he’d turned into the ‘gurney room’. Spike was sleeping in the bedroom proper; she didn’t know where Andrew was exactly.  The fact was, there was no privacy here; anyone could walk in at any moment.
 
Why the heck hadn’t she insisted on getting the room with a door on it? Why had Spike taken that room? That had been stupid and short-sighted on her part.
 
Buffy reached a hand between them and tugged on William’s belt, working the buckle with one hand and pulling it free. Her brain told her this was a bad idea. Her body didn’t care. Her skin prickled with desire, her pussy tingled and throbbed, desperate to have him. Her heart raced and her pulse pounded in her veins. She had to have him … privacy be damned.
 
When she began to unbutton his jeans, William grabbed her hand with his and stopped her.
 
“We … mustn’t … it’s not …” he gasped out, his chest heaving with desire of his own.
 
“We just need to be quiet,” Buffy assured him in a whisper.
 
“My dear Avengelyne, I do believe that it is physically impossible for you,” he contended, cocking a brow at her.

 

“Hmmph,” Buffy scoffed. “I can do anything I put my mind to,” she asserted in a low voice.
 
He gave her a doubtful look.
 
“Don’t you … want me?” she whined like a forlorn child.
 
“That is terribly unfair,” William asserted. “Of course I desire you … more than you can imagine.”
 
Buffy tilted her head and gave him her best pout, a look that conveyed: ‘if you don’t make love to me right now I’ll be heartbroken and may never recover’.

 

William sighed and bit his bottom lip. Buffy knew she’d won.
 
She pulled her hand free of his easily and continued in her mission to free his erection from his jeans. When she wrapped her hot hand around his steel shaft, William gasped.

What was it he had been saying? Why had he protested? He could no longer remember.
 
“Oh, Avengelyne,” William moaned in a deep rumble as she stroked her hand up and down his length.
 
Buffy swirled the drop of pre-cum around his swollen head with her thumb and William’s hips jerked up against her of their own volition. If there had been more time, if they’d had more privacy, she would’ve done more, but they didn’t, so she didn’t. A quickie would have to do for now.
 
Buffy quickly unbuttoned her jeans, slid the zipper down, and shimmied out of them and her underwear without getting up. William began to do the same, but Buffy stilled him by climbing atop his hips and lowering herself onto his shaft.
 
To their credit, they both remained completely silent as her hips settled against his. Buffy closed her eyes and just breathed, savoring the feeling of having him buried inside her again.
 
God, it had been so long … too long. For now, all the worries left her … left them both. The world outside could wait just a little while longer. Right now it was just them, together again after so many weeks apart. They needed this time, this moment, to touch the piece of themselves that had been missing. They both reveled in the familiar connection; not just of their bodies, but of their hearts, minds, and souls. A feeling of wholeness swelled up inside them both, and they were both stronger for it.
 
After a few moments, she opened her eyes and looked down to find him watching her intently. Buffy leaned down and kissed him gently. Her heart felt like it would explode with joy when he slipped his hands under her top and caressed her back with a gentle, loving touch. His hands were strong yet silky on her flesh, cool against her heat, soothing and exciting at the same time. She suppressed the urge to moan and instead began moving her hips slowly back and forth against him.

 

William wanted to scream her name from the rooftops, but remained silent. Her body engulfed him in flames – it was at once familiar and overwhelmingly unexpected. They had made love many times, but since losing her, he’d never allowed himself to dream that he would ever have this pleasure again. His hands sought out her flesh – always so hot and supple against his palms.
 
Oh, Avengelyne … my love. If you only knew what you do to me, he thought, wishing he could voice it aloud to her, tell her how she made him feel.
 
I know, came her voice inside his mind. You do the same to me, William.
 
William’s eyes flashed open as wide as saucers and he pushed her back slightly so he could see into her face.
 
Buffy smiled down at him, a mischievous twinkle in her eye. Don’t be afraid, she assured him. I’ll let you in if you let me in…
 
I don’t … I don’t understand … how? How is this possible? William’s mind stammered back.
 
Don’t over-think it, Buffy advised. Just relax and enjoy it – feel what I’m feeling and let me feel you.
 
William looked at her with confusion for a moment. She resumed her slow rhythm atop him and concentrated on opening the bond fully. Just relax, she advised again. I’d never hurt you.
 
William took a deep breath and let his mind relax, taking pleasure in the feel of her tight, wet pussy moving over his cock. Almost instantly he could feel her … not her body, he could already feel that – it was her soul. He could feel her love and pleasure, and a warm glow of hope surging inside her. There were a thousand other feelings beyond those, but he took comfort in the snug feeling of adoration that poured over him from her. Could she feel his soul as well?
 
Yes, was the answer that filled his mind. Yes, I feel your soul, William.
 
Buffy grabbed the crumpled sheet from the bed next to them and pulled it over their bodies, cocooning them inside it as their movements became more urgent. She could feel his passion and the need that welled inside him. That same need burned within her – the need to fly with him to the moon and dance among the stars.
 
Only deep, panting breaths could be heard from under the sheet; not even the slightest moan escaped the lovers’ lips as their passion grew. Buffy stayed bent forward at the waist, leaning her head down as close to William’s as she could while still keeping him buried deep within her. She could barely see the blue of his eyes in the dark. The sliver of light that shone on their bed scarcely penetrated the cover of the sheet over them. But she didn’t need to see, she could feel his eyes locked on hers just as she knew he could feel hers upon him.
 
Buffy could feel her own orgasm building deep within her. William thrust up against her each time she came down, burying his shaft deeper with each stroke. When his fingers snaked between them and touched her clit, Buffy felt the explosion that had been building rocket through her body. The power of it was like a comet shooting across the vast nothingness of space – unimpaired by gravity or the heavy atmosphere of earth.

 

She gasped sharply as the bright, hot flames of passion reached her throat. Buffy swallowed back the scream that demanded release and instead sent it spiraling across the bond towards William, maintaining her silence.
 
The powerful comet propelled her into the heart of the Milky Way. She zoomed around stars and through the constellations on the wings of bliss as William continued thrusting into her from below.
 
William felt her body tense when he touched her clit, then she begin to spasm with the ecstasy of her orgasm. Avengelyne’s green eyes never left his, even as she gasped in a deep breath of air and rocketed skyward. Through the bond, he could feel the power of her bliss – it washed over him like a tidal wave. It was no less than his. That didn’t really surprise him. It did, however, warm some part of him deep inside to discover that he could still elicit such a reaction from his angel. It was him she desired, after all … not the hooligan named ‘Spike’.
 
Her pleasure, flowing into him through the bond, quickly overwhelmed William. His own sharp intake of breath was followed by his body following hers up to the highest heights. His cum exploded into her as her sugar walls danced and undulated around his manhood in an ardent ballet of desire. And then he could feel her passion ignite again as his silent roar of bliss flowed back through the bond to her.
 
William held to her desperately as the pair fed off each other’s power and love. They flew around the stars and the sun, burning with the ecstasy of the other. The dance was all the more powerful for the silence that surrounded them. The energy that typically exploded from their throats had been swallowed back and transferred through the bond to the other, propelling them to the edge of the universe and back again.
 
Buffy’s body finally gave out and she collapsed atop her husband. All the muscles of her body had been pulled as tight as bow strings, but now were little more than overcooked noodles. Her chest heaved with quavering breaths as she tried to find some air in their little cocoon. She finally reached out and raised a corner of the sheet that covered them to allow a small stream of refreshingly cool air to wash over her overheated body.  It sent chill bumps racing over her damp skin and an involuntary shiver ran through her. It felt amazing.
 
William wrapped strong arms around her back and held her body against him as his soul settled back into place near his heart. His angel never ceased to teach him something new – show him the most wondrous magic, and take him to heights he’d never have imagined before she came into his life. Yesterday when he saw her, his love surged anew. It bubbled within him stronger than ever; he couldn’t imagine that he could ever love her more than he had at that moment. But, as she’d done so many times before, this morning she’d opened a new door and led him through, showing him a beautiful garden full of wonders he didn’t even know existed.   

 

Buffy’s ragged breathing was the only sound to be heard in their little cocoon under the sheet. She clung to William and let him envelop her in his arms and his love. She relished the feeling of his body under her, of his soul so close to hers, of his passion still tingling across her skin.
 
And she allowed herself to hope.
 
Hope that what her subconscious-self said about the Reds’ dust was true. Hope that this hell-dimension’s Spike still had what it would take to find a way to communicate with his past self. She didn’t really know what it would take to do that.
 
Her dream-self had said that in order to find a way, he just needed to want it badly enough. The million dollar question was: did he? Did he still have the heart of a Warrior? Did he believe things could be fixed? And most importantly, did he believe he could fix them?

**~**

{{  Click here to hear I Knew I Loved You by Savage Garden on YouTube  }}

Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
And there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
I know that it might sound more than a little crazy
But I believe

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

There's just no rhyme or reason
Only this sense of completion
And in your eyes
I see the missing pieces
I'm searching for
I think I've found my way home

I know that it might sound more than a little crazy
But I believe

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

A thousand angels dance around you
I am complete now that I've found you

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life


End Notes:
Finally, a plan! Does Gift-less!Spike still have what it takes to save them all? Will he unwittingly thwart Buffy's plan by trying to be her hero? And what wrench might Cordy toss into the works? More to come. Some of you have asked how long this saga is. I'm over 50 chapters and still writing. That includes what will be a separate, but related, story. But I assure you that it is not all angst, so don't despair!
My Sacrifice by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Buffy has a plan to fix things – Spike is the linchpin of it, but will he unknowingly foil their salvation in his attempt to help?
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Tuesday morning, May 10th, 2011, Gift-less Universe:
 
Buffy awoke to the heavenly aroma of sausage grilling, which wafted through the air, filling the room as if carried on a breeze. With her eyes still closed, she sighed and inhaled deeply as she snuggled down against Spike’s hard chest.  She wondered if anyone would notice if they just stayed in bed all day. Surely, between Bess and Annie, they could handle Dani, Billy, and MacKenzie for one day…
 
Then her stomach rumbled and growled like a grizzly bear’s … one that had just awoken from a six-month long hibernation. Well, maybe they could go down for breakfast, then spend the rest of the day in bed.
 
Spike’s hands wandered over her back, his fingertips stirring gentle waves of pleasure up and down her warm skin.
 
“I have missed waking in your arms these long weeks, Avengelyne,” he whispered against her ear.
 
Buffy jerked awake. She pushed up with her arms, rising slightly from her position still atop him and settling back onto his hips. Reality crashed down around her when she saw the short, brown hair rather than Spike’s normally longer, bleached locks. She had to bite her bottom lip to keep from screaming out with surprise as the half-sleep dream of being at home withered and died behind her shocked eyes.

 

“Is something the matter, my dear?” William asked with concern at her alarmed look.
 
Buffy took a deep breath and shook her head, which, along with the rest of their bodies, was still covered by the sheet. “No … everything’s fine. I just … forgot where we were for a minute,” she offered as an excuse, not mentioning that she’d forgotten that he was William and not Spike.
 
She dropped her lips to his and kissed him softly. She loved William, but at the same time she wished for Spike to be here with her now. Of course, she would never tell him that; the crestfallen look he’d had the night before was one she’d just as soon never see again.
 
“Indeed,” he agreed. “It is difficult to remember that we are in …” William stopped and tilted his head slightly on his pillow as he looked up at her. “Just where are we, Avengelyne? Is this … where angels go when they … pass? Perhaps it is a test of your faith? Is this the proverbial river you must cross to enter the Kingdom?”
 
Buffy smiled a little at that and shook her head. “Noooo … I think mostly it’s just hell.”

 

William gave her a worried look. “Then why are you smiling, my dear?”
 
“Because I know how to get out,” she announced confidently as she lifted up one edge of the sheet to see if they were still alone in the room. They were.
 
Buffy slid off William and began searching under the covers for her jeans and underwear, which she was sure had to be here somewhere.
 
“You do? How?” William asked excitedly as he pulled his jeans back up and fastened them over his morning erection. He would’ve liked to have had time to make love with her before another day in hell got underway … but it was obvious from the sounds and smells coming from the other room that their ‘roommates’ were up and about.
 
“Spike can fix it. We can use the red goo from the vampire’s dust mixed with holy water and Spike can go back in time and … tell himself how to fix it,” Buffy explained quickly as she found her underwear and jeans and began to wriggle back into them while still staying under the sheet.
 
“That red goo, as you call it, nearly killed you,” William pointed out.
 
Buffy shrugged. “Yeah, but it didn’t.”
 
“And how is it that you’ve come to this epiphany?”
 
Buffy finally tossed the sheet away, and she and William stood up from their mattress that lay on the floor. “As soon as I find that sausage, I’ll tell you. I’m starving!”
 
William smiled at her – when wasn’t she starving? He inclined his head towards a door off to the right. “I believe your salvation is in that direction, my dear.”
 
“Thank you, kind sir,” she intoned before taking his hand and heading off in search of sustenance.
 
**~**
 
Andrew was firmly ensconced in a small kitchenette. Sausage sizzled in a heavy, cast-iron frying pan and he was just spooning out something that looked suspiciously like scrambled eggs from another pan onto two plates near him.

 

He gave the pair a warm smile when they entered his little domain. “Hey! Spike was right! He said if I started cooking, that you’d get up. He really knows all about Slayers … he’s amazing! You know, he spent over a century just studying the Slayer mentality and legacy.  He really takes that whole ‘know your enemy’ mantra to heart.”
 
Buffy cocked a brow at him. “Yeah, Spike’s the all-knowing one,” Buffy retorted. “He also knows that I haven’t eaten in God knows how long and any hungry person would wake up for sausage and … are those eggs?”
 
Andrew nodded.
 
“I haven’t seen any chickens,” Buffy pointed out suspiciously.
 
“Powdered … but … we call them eggs. If you close your eyes and don’t inhale, they sort of feel like eggs in your mouth. Just swallow fast.”
 
Buffy looked at the two plates and asked Andrew, “Have you already eaten?”
 
“Uhhh … no.” Andrew looked at William and then at Buffy with confusion. “I thought …”
 
“We’ll need another plate. I’m sure William would want some breakfast to go with his … juice.”
 
Andrew’s mouth formed a perfect ‘O’, then he narrowed his eyes conspiratorially and nodded slowly. “Riiight … William,” he agreed, knowingly.
 
Buffy suggested that William get a shower before breakfast. He started to argue, saying he’d had one before bed the night before, but at her pleading look, and the thought of that amazing contraption that rained warm water down without the aid of a fire or hauling it from the well, he acquiesced and excused himself. While he was gone, Buffy had Andrew draw a full pint of blood and put it in a carafe, like juice, for William to have with his meal.
 
Over breakfast, Buffy explained what she’d figured out in her dream about the Reds’ dust and what happens when it mixes with holy water. She went on to tell William and Andrew how they could use that to astral-project Spike back in time where he could give himself some much-needed advice.
 
“So,” she asked as she forced down the last bite of powdered eggs and wiped her mouth, “Where is our fearless leader, anyway? Still playing with the dollies in the cabinet?” she quipped, tilting her head in the general direction of the bedroom.
 
Andrew cleared his throat and stood up abruptly, grabbing the empty dishes and glasses from the table with slightly shaking hands. “They aren’t ‘dollies’! They’re ‘collectable action figures’ and they’re very valuable,” he defended with a sniff.

 

“Oookay,” Buffy drawled slowly. “Put the attitude down and back away, Andrew. Didn’t mean to insult your … hobby. It was just a joke.”
 
Andrew turned and took the dishes to the sink, but never answered Buffy’s question, so, she asked again. “And Spike is where?”
 
“I … wouldn’t know anything about that,” he offered, his back to her. “In fact, I have no idea where Spike is. And … if I did, I couldn’t tell you … because I don’t know,” he continued to ramble nervously as he began to run water over the dishes.
 
Buffy raised her brows and stared at Andrew’s back a moment as he busied himself at the sink. “Where is Spike?” she demanded in a low, deliberate voice.
 
Andrew shrugged but didn’t turn around. “How should I know? I mean … who am I? I’m nobody. Spike barely talks to me … I mean … if he went off to rescue your friend from the Reds, he wouldn’t tell me, right? I’d be the last one…”
 
“What!?” Buffy exclaimed, jumping up from her seat. She covered the few feet to Andrew in three long strides and jerked him around by one arm to face her. “He did what!?”
 
Andrew cleared his throat nervously. “More eggs?” he asked, his voice cracking like a prepubescent boy, as he reached for the pan that still held some of the powdered, yellow concoction.

 

Buffy grasped his throat with her right hand and started to squeeze. Her fingers felt much better today. “When did he leave?” she snarled at him. “How long has he been gone?”
 
Andrew opened his mouth, but no sound came out. He grabbed at her hand and his throat with both of his, silently telling her she was strangling him.
 
Buffy loosened her grip slightly and Andrew gasped in a deep breath.
 
“How long ago?” Buffy demanded again.
 
After a few raspy gasps, Andrew finally said, “Four hours or so… right after you guys … finished.”
 
Buffy’s mouth opened and closed in shock for a moment. “But we … we were quiet!” she protested, dropping her hand from his throat.
 
Andrew bent forward and rubbed his bruised flesh. “Vampire hearing,” he explained.
 
“Hmph! What’s your excuse?” Buffy demanded, crossing her arms over her chest.
 
Andrew looked at her with pleading eyes. “Jedi hearing?” he offered weakly.
 
Buffy rolled her eyes and stepped back away from him. “Let’s go,” she directed, turning around and looking at William.
 
“No!” Andrew insisted, panicking. “I’m supposed to keep you here! If you go, Spike will bite me! He’ll kill me! He said he’d make sure I suffered … and not in a good way!”
 
“Yeah, well, if I stay, I’ll strangle you for being a little weasel – so, take your pick,” Buffy called back over her shoulder.
 
Andrew cringed. “You’ll tell him I tried, right? Tell him you tortured me for hours and threatened to disembowel me, ok?”
 
Buffy rolled her eyes as she left the kitchenette, William right on her heels.
 
“Perhaps we should wait for him to return,” William suggested as she went to retrieve their weapons.
 
“If it’s been four hours, he’s probably not gonna return,” Buffy informed her husband. “If he’s still undead, we need to get him back here – he’s the only one that can get us home.” She didn’t tell William everything that was riding on her plan of Spike fixing things – like Annie’s legs; she didn’t think he would be able to grasp it. He couldn’t even fully grasp that Bess was actually … Bess – their daughter.

 

William snorted derisively. “Our fate is dependent on a hooligan maverick of a soulless vampire with yellow hair?”
 
Buffy gave a quick glance over her shoulder at William and his shorn locks. If he only knew.  “Yep, so there’s nothing to worry about … as long as he hasn’t gotten himself dusted.”
 
William sighed and cocked a brow at her back as he followed her out of Room 314. He hoped she was right.
 
**~**
 
Buffy and William made their way onto the Mexican Reefer without being detected by the Reds. They'd only met one sentry on duty and Buffy had taken it out with her scythe before it could sound a warning. It actually was a bit worrisome. Where were they all?

Buffy and William ducked into an empty room that looked like it had, at one time, been the purser’s office so Buffy could try and sense where Spike was on the ship. Unfortunately, having her husband so close made that task much more difficult; the two were identical in nearly every way, including the way their presence tingled down her spine.
 
She closed her eyes and took a deep breath as she tried to concentrate on the difference between them – their souls. She’d felt the difference with the Spike from this world before – his soul was there, but didn’t touch her as strongly as her husband’s. Now she just needed to wade through all the similarities and latch onto that one difference. It was like trying to find one specific grain of sand on a mile-long beach.
 
While she worked, William perused the discarded papers that were strewn around the office.
 
“Avengelyne …” William interrupted her after a few minutes.
 
“Shhh!” Buffy shushed him, holding up a finger but never opening her eyes.
 
William waited and watched. After another couple of minutes he began again, “I do believe …”
 
“Shhhh! I have to concentrate!”
 
William blew out a breath and waited. Nothing happened. “If you’d simply …”
 
“William! Seriously!” Buffy snapped at him before taking another deep breath and trying to regain her focus.
 
“Elizabeth, if you’d allow me to finish …”
 
Buffy spun on him angrily. “Christ, you’re here less than a day and the annoyance that is Spike has already rubbed off on you! What, William? What is it?”

 

William cocked a brow at her and held up a map of the ship. He pointed to one section on a lower deck. “Brig,” he said simply. “If they’ve captured Bess, they’d likely have her there. If Spike was coming for her, then perhaps he too is there.”
 
Buffy shook her head and huffed out a breath. “Why didn’t you say so before?”
 
“I believe I …”
 
“Never mind – let’s go. It’s more than what I’ve got,” she interrupted him.
 
**~**
 
There still weren’t many Reds out and about on the deck of the Mexican Reefer today. Buffy still found this worrisome, but she wasn't going to complain ... yet. She did see a several piles of red glitter strewn around, and that told her where at least some of them had gone – it also told her they were on the right track. Follow the sparkling, red road – hopefully, it would lead them to the Wizard, or to Spike, at any rate.
 
She just hoped they weren’t too late. If he was dust, then the best she could do would be try to go back herself and keep Spike and Bess from going on the mission with Angel. It may, at least, save Annie’s legs. That solution was less than ideal – who knew what untold ramifications that could have, not the least of which being a nuclear disaster right off the West coast. It would also have no impact on the Gift-less dimension at all. Buffy would still be dead here, Dawn would still be in a coma, and Spike would still be with Riley. It made her skin crawl thinking about it … not the dead part, the Riley part.
 
As Buffy and William reached the fourth landing in the stairwell on their trek down into the bowels of the ship, she heard someone coming down the corridor. She put a finger to her lips and moved to one side of the door that joined the stairwell and the passageway. Then she signaled for William to stand at the ready on the other side of the opening. She could hear them talking – it sounded like at least two. She knew with certainty they were Reds from the hissing ‘S’s on their words, even though she couldn’t actually hear the whole conversation.
 
Buffy drew her scythe back and William did the same with his sword as they waited. When the first Red stepped through the narrow opening, Buffy swung, slicing the vamp’s head off cleanly. Before its companion could even blink, William stabbed it in its stomach. When the second vamp doubled over in shock and pain, Buffy came down on its neck with her scythe, dusting it easily.

 

Buffy gave her husband a smile. He may not remember being Spike, but the vampire’s instincts and years of training and battling were still there. He and Buffy still worked and fought together like a well-oiled machine. That gave Buffy more confidence – she hadn’t been sure if William would freeze up in the face of the Reds, despite his claims that he had battled them in the basement on Crawford Street.
 
“Good job,” she whispered to him.
 
William smiled and stood up a little straighter, then gave her a little nod. “You, as well.”
 
“Ok … which way?” Buffy continued in a low voice, hoping maybe William could smell Spike or Bess, or even hear them.
 
William pointed to a sign in the passageway. It said ‘Brig’ with an arrow to the right.
 
“Handy,” Buffy whispered as she started through the door. She just hoped William’s intuition … or whatever it was, was right about Bess, and hopefully Spike, being there.
 
They made their way in silence down the narrow passageway towards the brig. Buffy hoped they wouldn’t meet any of the tall vamps in this small space … fighting would be difficult at best. The moment she had that thought she cursed herself – that was like inviting trouble.
 
Can you hear anything? Buffy asked him through the bond.
 
There are at least seven distinct voices ahead, William sent her back. Buffy was glad he was getting the hang of the bond, but the news didn’t fill her with joy.
 
One is Spike … one is Bess, he continued and that made Buffy feel much better; only five would be hostiles.
 
They are demanding he return something that was stolen from them … a scroll and a manuscript, William continued.
 
He’s telling them to … William continued.
 
Let me guess – ‘sod off’, Buffy interrupted. Or ‘get stuffed’ …. maybe ‘get bent’ … or all three.
 
Indeed, William agreed, slightly disturbed that she knew this vampire, Spike, so well.
 
They came up to a heavy, steel door with ‘BRIG’ stenciled on it in big, red letters.
 
Buffy tried to listen through it to get an idea of where in the room beyond the voices were, but could only hear muffled, indistinct sounds.
 
Can you tell where they are inside? she sent to him.
 
William looked at her strangely – couldn’t she tell? She was supposed to be the Slayer, wasn’t she? Perhaps she was testing him, analyzing his abilities; he was new to all this, after all.
 
Most are to the left, he told her, waving a hand at the wall to the left of the door. Bess is to the right … she’s imploring Spike to simply give them what they seek.
 
Buffy nodded and took a deep breath as she tried the handle on the door. It wasn’t locked, but the latch made a loud scrubbing noise as it slid out of the door jamb.
 
Damn it, Buffy cursed to herself. Giving up on the stealth, she flung the door open wide and entered the room with her scythe raised, ready to strike. The door clanged against the wall behind it as several pairs of glowing red eyes turned and stared at her for a moment. The brief moment of surprise allowed her to dust one with little effort, but then the advantage had passed.

 

William moved in behind her, and Buffy yelled at him to unchain Bess as she continued to move forward towards the four remaining Reds that surrounded Spike. Her eyes scanned the scene quickly. Spike had been beaten badly. He was chained to the bars of one of the cells in the brig. The heavy chain was wrapped around his torso, nearly covering him from armpits to waist. One of his arms dangled uselessly at his side, obviously broken or torn from the shoulder socket. His other arm was covered in angry burns, as if it had been dunked in holy water or perhaps simply burnt with good, old-fashioned fire. His face was a horrific, swollen tableau of blood and bruises. He was upright, but only because of the chains holding him; his feet sagged against the floor, his legs too weak to actually stand.
 
The Reds that had been surrounding him were all covered in blood – Spike’s blood, Buffy knew without doubt. They also had some injuries, apparently meted out by Spike before his capture, but nothing that wouldn’t be healed in short order.
 
The four Reds left their captive and surged at the new threat like a wall of massive marble. Their lithe, hard forms moved like the wind as their long arms whipped at her in a blur of sharp nails. Buffy ducked instinctively, sweeping one leg out and swinging her scythe at the same time as the vampires clawed at her.
 
Suddenly, the massive stone wall crumpled into a tumble of blood and limbs and shrieks of pain. She had managed to slice all four of them across their abdomens, and, although her leg sweep only actually knocked two of them down, the other two tripped over their fallen clansmen, sending them all to the floor in a heap.
 
Buffy used her momentum and turned in a full circle as she gracefully rose back up from her squatting position like an ice skater coming out of a sit spin.

  

She brought her scythe around to bear on the tangle of bodies on the floor, aiming for necks, as the Reds struggled against each other to get up and resume their attack.
 
Another of the beasts burst into crimson glitter and Buffy’s confidence grew. As she raised her weapon for another strike, one of the vamps grabbed her ankle with a clawed hand and yanked her feet out from under her. The Slayer fell to the floor onto her butt with a dull thud that rattled her teeth, but she kept a hold of the scythe and swung at the thin, strong arm that was now attached to her leg. Blood splattered Buffy’s face and torso as she severed the limb from its owner’s body. She was temporarily blinded, reflexively closing her eyes against the spray of sparkling crimson. Before she could force them open again, she was knocked onto her back by the relatively un-hurt Red that remained from the original group.
 
Before she could fight that vamp off, she heard Spike shout a warning of, “Behind you!” She wasn’t sure if he was talking to her or William – but either way it didn’t bode well; it meant there were more Reds there.
 
Suddenly, the small room was full of the sounds of battle. Claws and steel clanged, fists met fangs, demons snarled and growled, and cries of pain and jubilation filled the air. The weight atop Buffy was suddenly gone and she looked up through a glittery veil to see Bess standing over her, Spike’s blessed sword in her hand.
 
“Mom!” she called in surprise and elation, grabbing Buffy’s hand and pulling her to her feet. “There are two Spikes!” she exclaimed as she turned and swung the sword at a Red that was approaching from behind the women.
 
“Yeah, cool, huh?” Buffy agreed, taking a swipe at another Red that had just come through the door, and dusting it before it had a chance to join the fight. She could see that Bess had also been badly beaten, although her bruises and cuts had started to heal. Apparently, the Reds had been concentrating on Spike in the last few hours.

 

“Dad’s the one with no hair, right?” Bess wondered as her sword severed the outstretched fingers of another vamp.
 
“Yeah … the one that’s not chained up,” Buffy told her, as she turned to find William sparring with two of the tall vamps on the other side of the room. “He thinks his name is William, though – don’t call him Spike, it freaks him out.”
 
Still? Angel said that would pass,” Bess continued the conversation as if they were sitting in a coffee shop rather than battling giant vampires in the brig of a ship.
 
Buffy shrugged. “It will … eventually … I think.”
 
“OI! If you bints would stop yammering and unchain me, I could bloody well help,” Spike called from behind them.
 
Buffy stole a glance over her shoulder at him. “You can’t even stand up,” she pointed out.
 
“Still rather not be strung up ‘ere like a side a’ beef,” Spike barked back.

 

“Can you get him?” Buffy asked Bess. “I’ll keep them back.”
 
Bess nodded, swinging the blessed sword one more time at an approaching vampire before retreating behind Buffy towards Spike.
 
Buffy saw William struggling as he fought with two Reds. His moves were fine, but he just had a regular sword, not the blessed one Spike used. Dusting the large vampires was more difficult without the added ‘mojo’ in his weapon. Buffy’s attention was drawn back to the vamps she was fighting for a few moments, then, when she looked back, she saw William dust one of the vampires and relief washed over her. His instincts and fighting skills were perfect – he just needed his conscious mind to untangle the protective web it had woven and remember who he was. It had taken Angel weeks to come out of his regression to Liam; she hoped it wouldn’t take William as long.
 
The stream of Reds flowing into the brig slowed and finally stopped. It worried Buffy, but she still wasn’t ready to look a gift horse in the mouth. She wondered if that applied to Trojan horses. Wouldn’t it be best to look a gift horse in the mouth rather than have it enter your kingdom full of enemy troops? Who wrote these sayings, anyway?
 
“Let’s get out of here!” she ordered the group as the last Red floated to the floor, joining the sea of red, both blood and dust, that littered it.
 
Buffy took the lead, followed by Bess who was supporting Spike with his 'good arm', which was only burned, not broken, draped across her shoulders, and William brought up the rear.
 
“Is there any other way out other than these stairs?” Buffy asked in a whisper to her vampire cohorts.
 
Spike shook his head ‘no’.
 
Bess said, “They’re good at ambushing you – trapping you.”
 
“Yeah,” Buffy agreed. “Been there, done that … got the pet leeches to prove it.”
 
“There’s no other way to get to the deck,” Spike rasped out, his voice reflecting the pain that he was in.
 
Buffy looked at him. He looked worse than he had when he was chained to the bars of the cell. Bess was keeping him upright, but his feet dragged on the floor more than walked next to her. Based on the deep red stains on his clothes he’d lost a lot of blood, and the cuts and bruises she could see spoke of the beating he’d taken. At least he wasn’t dust. Now, if they could just get out of here with him in one piece … more or less.
 
“I suggest we continue to move, Avengelyne. He who hesitates is lost,” William advised from behind Bess and Spike.
 
With great effort, Spike turned his head and looked at his doppelganger. “Woulda’ figured you for a ‘look before you leap’ kinda bloke, William,” Spike scoffed.
 
“Well then you, sir, would be wrong. Andrew may think you a genius, but I remain quite unconvinced,” William shot back scathingly.
 
Spike snorted and adjusted his position against Bess. “Yeah, well, who’s got the pretty bird fondling their hot, tight little body and who’s back there bringing up the rear?”
 
Buffy sighed and spoke before William could retort. “Let’s go – William’s right. We aren’t getting anywhere standing here.”
 
Buffy started up the stairs, then heard Spike curse in pain behind her and turned around. Bess was having a hard time getting him up the stairs in his upright position. His legs were still not functioning well enough to really help her.
 
Buffy frowned and hurried back down to them. “Here,” she said to Bess, as she leaned down and pressed her shoulder into Spike’s abdomen. “Put him on my shoulder and you take point.”

 

“I bloody well will not be carried outta here like a ponce!” Spike protested even as Bess loosened her grip on his arm and leaned them both forward towards Buffy.
 
“Get over it, Spike,” Buffy moaned. “Andrew rescued you from the bug – you really can’t get any more poncy than that.”
 
Spike snarled a curse under his breath, but didn’t really have the energy to argue or fight with the Slayer…s. Slayers – two bloody Slayers. His reputation was doomed.
 
With Spike balanced on her shoulder in a fireman’s carry, Buffy handed Bess the scythe. “Give your sword to William: it’s blessed, it works better, I’ll take his.”
 
“OI! Don’t be slashing the blasted floor with m’ sword and dulling it!” Spike barked at William as he hung over Buffy’s shoulder.
 
“Perhaps I could slash you and dull your tongue,” William retorted dryly as he took the sword from Bess and handed Buffy his.
 
“Ok, boys – no one’s slashing anything but Reds,” Buffy chastised them. “Let’s go.”
 
At the first landing, Buffy paused and shifted Spike on her shoulder. “You need to eat more, your hip bone’s digging in,” she complained.
 
Spike snorted. “Dreamt o’ hearing that for years, pet,” he replied saucily.
 
“That is my wife you’re speaking to,” William growled at Spike, rapping the vamp sharply on the head with the flat of his own sword’s blade. “I suggest you keep your vulgarities to yourself.”
 
“Weren’t too worried ‘bout vulgarities last night, then, were ya?” Spike tossed back. “Tsk, tsk, William. All that dirty dancing right out in the bloody open.”
 
William began to sputter incomprehensibly, and Spike began to laugh, but the effort turned into a wet cough and blood spattered from his lips.
 
Buffy began to chastise her ‘boys’ again, but stopped herself when Spike started coughing. “Are you alright? Do you need to …”
 
“Just keep goin’,” Spike rasped out between gags.
 
Buffy nodded at Bess and the Slayer-vamp headed up the next flight of stairs, all senses on alert and scythe at the ready.
 
After ascending three full flights, Bess could see the dim light of the perpetual twilight filtering down from above. They were close. Very close. Of course, she’d been close before.
 
“They’re comin’,” Spike announced hoarsely as his torso hung down Buffy’s back in the fireman’s carry.
 
Buffy froze. “I don’t hear anything,” she whispered back.
 
“Smell ‘em …” Spike explained.
 
Buffy furrowed her brow and looked at Bess. Bess shrugged. The whole ship smelled like them to her.
 
“Go! Faster!” Buffy instructed Bess, her voice low but urgent.
 
Bess went. She ran up the stairs ahead of Buffy, Spike, and William, hoping to at least get to a landing that opened into a passageway before the Reds descended on them. At least there would be some small chance of escape there, unlike being trapped on a landing between decks.
 
She still didn’t smell them any more strongly than she had, but now she could hear them. Spike had been right. It wasn’t just one or two, either – it sounded like an army of feet pounding toward them. Bess got to a landing that opened onto the main deck and urged Buffy and William on – they could escape! She could see the water just a few yards down the passageway from the staircase. But, before Buffy, struggling up the stairs with the added weight of Spike on her shoulder, could reach her, the view of the water disappeared behind a wall of tall, chalky, red-eyed vampires.
 
Bess lunged out into the hall, scythe whipping in the air, and tried to drive the Reds back. They hesitated, but didn’t retreat. They hissed and growled and several of them let out a long, shrill cry which, by now, the prisoners had heard all too often.
 
“They’re … calling … reinforce … ments,” Buffy gasped out between breaths when she reached Bess, readjusting Spike on her shoulder like a sack of potatoes. The other way was clear, but it led deeper into the ship. They’d have to cross the full width of the vessel to find the water again. Buffy was turned around and wasn’t sure which way land, or the gangplank, actually was. She didn’t relish another swim with the leeches, but it was better than the alternative.
 
“Let’s go!” Buffy urged Bess and William, who were right behind her. Buffy turned away from the approaching army and headed towards the center of the vessel, followed closely by Bess and William.
 
“That’s what they want you to do, Slayer!” Spike argued. “They’re herding you like a soddin’ sacrificial lamb to slaughter!”
 
“Yeah, well, I may look like a lamb,” Buffy retorted. “But I bite like a wolf.”
 
Despite the pain from his injuries, which was intensified by the way Buffy was jostling him on her shoulder with every step, Spike smiled and gave a small snort. “That you do, pet.”
 
The group hadn’t gotten more than twenty yards down the narrow passageway when the ‘hammer’ part of the ‘anvil and hammer’ military strategy appeared before them.
 
“Shit,” Buffy cursed under her breath when she saw the other end of the corridor fill with vampires.

 

“Baaaa,” Spike mocked under his breath. Buffy turned in the narrow hallway and accidentally banged Spike’s head against the wall with a dull thud. “Owww! Bloody hell!”
 
“Sarcastic sheep need to learn to keep their mouths shut,” Buffy informed him as she opened the nearest door and disappeared inside.
 
William and Bess followed her quickly, slamming and locking the door behind them. Bess started to push a heavy, metal cabinet against the door. William set his sword down and helped her as Buffy unceremoniously plopped Spike down the closest thing – a long table.
 
“Florence bloody Nightingale you are not,” Spike complained with a grimace as he bounced a bit on the tabletop, clutching his mangled arm to try and keep it from moving. It didn’t really work, and every time it moved it hurt like a son-of-a-bitch.
 
“Unless you have something useful to say, just shut up, Spike,” Buffy snarled at him as she began pacing back and forth in the dark.
 
When they’d darted in, Buffy had gotten a quick look around the room with the light that filtered in from the passageway. It was apparently a small meeting room, with several tables lined up facing a desk in the front. Nearly everything appeared to be a dull grey, covered in ten years of dust. The only real color she had noted was an orange-brown patina on the walls from the pervasive rust that was eating away at the steel.  There were no windows or portholes to allow light in. She hadn’t seen a back door, either. Just four steel walls and one door that led back to a corridor full of angry vampires.
 
“You let her talk to you that way, mate?” Spike asked William, cocking a brow at him.

 

“I am not an annoying miscreant. She has no reason to speak to me that way,” William informed Spike haughtily, glaring down his nose at his doppelganger.
 
Spike opened his mouth to retort, but Buffy interrupted him. “Do you have your lighter?”
 
Spike sighed and dug into the pocket of his jeans, produced the silver Zippo, and placed it into her outstretched hand. Buffy fumbled with it a minute in the dark, but finally got a flame burning. Spike, Bess, and William could probably see alright – she wasn’t so lucky.
 
Buffy found some bound books in the desk. She placed them in a metal garbage can and lit the edges of the paper with the lighter. The pages didn’t burn well being so closely packed, but they gave off a slight glow. With that light, she could at least see well enough to not bump into the furniture as she paced and chewed on her thumbnail, trying to formulate a new plan to get out of here. Her long, angry strides took her across the room quickly, and she whirled on her heel when she reached the far wall and began back. Her mind raced – she had to get them out of here. It could not end here. She refused to let it end like this, goddamnit!
 
It didn’t take long before the Reds began banging and pushing against the steel door. The sound in the room was deafening as their assault on the door and the walls around it reverberated through the small area. William and Bess pressed their backs to the filing cabinet that was against the door to try and hold the Reds at bay.
 
“I can tell you one thing, Slayer – life around you is never boring,” Spike admitted as he slid down off the table and onto a chair. He pushed his shoulder hard against the back of the straight-backed chair, wincing and trying not to scream. There was an audible ‘pop’ when his dislocated scapula became reacquainted with his humerus. Spike’s eyes clenched, as did his jaw, but he choked back the scream that welled up into his throat and blinked back the tears that formed in his eyes, lest he look like a ponce. That was William’s role – he wouldn’t want to upstage him.
 
Forcing his mind away from the pain, he continued talking. “In fact, if I’m not mistaken, the last time I got bored around you was waiting for St. Vigeous to arrive …”
 
Spike opened his eyes and looked at Buffy. “Now that was a bloody good time … until your mum hit me on the noggin.” Spike absently rubbed the back of his head – his pride could still feel the sting of it.

 

Buffy stopped pacing and looked at him for a long moment as he worked his shoulder and tried to get some feeling back in it … well, some feeling other than utter agony.
 
“That’s it!” she exclaimed. She picked the Zippo up and lit it again. She held it above her head and began looking around the ceiling of the room. On the far end of the room, just behind the desk, she found what she’d been searching for. Buffy flipped the lighter closed and rushed over to Spike. She took his face in her hands and planted an excited kiss square on his lips.

 

“I dare say! Have you gone mad?” William exclaimed in horror, still pressed against the barricade that was barely keeping the Reds out.
 
“What’d I do?” Spike asked at nearly the same time, licking the Buffy taste from his lips. He really wanted to know so he could do it again.
 
Buffy smiled triumphantly as she released Spike. “We are leaving,” she announced as she pushed the desk backwards and climbed up onto it. She worked in the dim light to find two latches hidden in the ceiling. Buffy struggled with them for a few moments – age and rust had made them reluctant to move – but she finally pulled a section of the ceiling down. She lifted the lighter up so she could see. It was perfect! It was an escape tunnel, with a ladder embedded into one side of it, that led to the upper deck – out of the belly of the ship to freedom. They could travel through the escape hatch right up to the deck and … well, escape; hopefully before the Reds even knew they were gone.

 

Spike watched her and the realization of what he’d said spread across his face in a cocky smirk. “Watch and learn, William,” Spike gibed as he pushed up to his feet … and promptly fell back down onto the chair.
 
William cocked a brow at him. “I feel profoundly more conversant now,” William retorted as Spike winced in pain and clutched at his legs.
 
“Sod off,” Spike muttered as blood began to soak through his jeans on the backs of his legs. He couldn’t recall an injury there, but, to be honest, there were periods of time while being interrogated by the Reds that he was, in fact, unconscious. He put his hands back there and felt wide rips in his jeans and gashes in the backs of his thighs. He’d been hamstrung; the tendons there were shredded. There was no way he could walk – not now, not for a good while.
 
“I do hope you’ve spent more hours on plans to save your Elizabeth than you have on your scathing repartee,” William intoned scornfully.
 
“You bloody …” Spike began in a threatening growl.
 
“Enough! Let’s go!” Buffy scolded them. “Pile some more stuff in front of that door and let’s make like a tree and get outta here.”
 
There were knuckle-shaped dents appearing in the steel bulkhead that separated the passageway from the small meeting room, and the whole ship seemed to be pitching from side to side with the power of the assault the Reds were waging. Bess and William hurried to move the tables and chairs that were in the room against the door and wall to try and hold the demons back a bit longer.
 
While they did that, Buffy jumped down and began to gather up all their weapons, but William stopped her.
 
“I believe … that is to say …” he stammered, taking the blessed sword from her hand. William ran a hand over his head nervously, forgetting that he had no curls to actually tug on, and swallowed hard. “I believe I should remain here.”

 

“What? What are you talking about? Those are vampires out there – they aren’t here for tea, William,” Buffy informed him incredulously.
 
“I am aware of that, Avengelyne,” William huffed. “They are here for him.” William pointed at Spike, still seated on the chair not far from the door the Reds were beating on. “I, apparently, have some … resemblance to that … man,” he continued, trying not to choke on the words. “Therefore, if I stay, they will believe they have him and will not pursue you.”
 
“I can see where Spike got his brilliant plan-making skills,” Buffy retorted, grabbing the sword from William’s hand. “No.”
 
“The wanker has a point, Buffy,” Spike piped up from a few feet away. Buffy shot him a death-ray look. He shrugged but didn’t say anything more.
 
“Avengelyne,” William pleaded. “Please listen to reason.”
 
“No, I...” Buffy began, but William continued talking over her.
 
“You need him to complete your plan. You do not need me,” he pointed out.
 
“I do need you!” she insisted. “I just got you back! You think I’d just leave you here to …” her voice trailed off and she shook her head adamantly. “No. Let’s go – we’re wasting time.”

 

Buffy turned away before William could say anything more. She set the weapons on the desk, then jumped up next to them. “Bring him over here – hand him up to me,” she instructed William and Bess, nodding her head towards Spike.
 
William and Bess got Spike up from the chair, helped him over to the desk, and lifted him up to her.
 
Spike still could do little with his mangled arm, despite it being back in joint now, and his legs simply buckled when he tried to stand on them. He could feel blood rolling in streams down the backs of his calves and pooling in his boots when they stood him up. Fucking brilliant.
 
Buffy sent Bess, with the scythe, ahead of her up the ladder while she held Spike upright against her.
 
Suddenly, the wall of furniture behind them shuddered and shook. William rushed back over to the wall and pressed his back against the barricade to help hold it in place. The steel bent against the onslaught from the increasingly angry mob in the passageway and he redoubled his efforts to keep the furniture from toppling over.
 
William could hear Avengelyne say to Spike, “I can’t hold you and climb, too. I need you to hang onto my neck without strangling me, ok? Can you do that?”
 
“Still got one good arm, don’t I?” Spike snapped, as if it were Buffy’s fault he had to be carried out like a ponce.
 
“Too bad they didn’t cut your tongue out,” Buffy groaned under her breath.
 
“I heard that,” Spike shot back. “You wouldn’t love me near as much without it, pet.”
 
“She doesn’t love you at all, you oaf!” William called from his vigil by the door. “Avengelyne, perhaps I should be the one to…”
 
“No – it’s ok, William,” Buffy cut him off. “I’m not sure what might happen if you two were too close together.”
 
“I assure you, my dear, I would not harm him … gravely,” William offered sincerely.
 
“You don’t ‘ave the stones to harm me at all, you namby-pamby, two-bit …” Spike retaliated.
 
“ENOUGH!” Buffy barked. “I was actually thinking more along the lines of some sort of vortex exploding or the time-space continuum getting … un-continue-y or something.”

 

Just then, a bony hand smashed through the steel bulkhead. The vamp that had finally breeched the make-shift fortress let out a shrill shriek of victory. Suddenly, more pale hands were yanking and scratching at the small opening, trying to peel the rusted steel back like the lid of a sardine can. The new sound made William turn around to look. He picked a broken chair leg up off the floor and began to hammer at the fingers and hands that were grasping at the steel.
 
William could hear the group behind him begin to move up the ladder and away from the small room. He darted for the desk and grabbed the blessed sword, which was still there waiting for him to bring it with him up the escape hatch. He stopped a moment and looked up into the dark tunnel. He watched Avengelyne, with Spike draped across her back, making her way up to safety.
 
The scene was like something from a dream, and for a moment he felt like he was the one clinging to Avengelyne as she climbed through a small tunnel. He could remember her hair … the scent of her, the feel of her as he’d lain semi-conscious over her back, his arms wrapped around her neck. It had been comforting and almost soothing. He’d been weak … injured, perhaps? But her fortitude had given him strength. He closed his eyes and tried to see it, tried to get the image to come into focus. What was that? A memory? A past life? A dream … or perhaps a nightmare?
 
William’s eyes flew open when he felt himself being shaken, literally shaken, from his contemplation.  
 
“William!” Buffy was standing in front of him, yelling and shaking him by the shoulders. How long had he been standing there in a daze? How long had she been speaking? Where was Spike?
 
He looked past his wife, up into the darkness of the tunnel – but it was no longer dark. There was light streaming in from above now – the other end of the hatch was open. Bess was looking down at them, her blonde hair backlit, framing her face like a halo.
 
“William! C’mon – we have to go!” she was admonishing him. The crashing sounds from wall being shredded were growing louder and the screeching of ripping metal filled the air.
 
William drew in a deep breath and shook his head. “No – you go. I’m staying here,” he told her, his voice deadly calm.
 
“Noooo. This discussion is closed. We agreed – we’re all going. C’mon!” Buffy insisted as she tried to force him up onto the desk.
 
“No, you agreed. I did not. You must go. You need him – you need him to fix things. You said so yourself just this morning,” William reasoned with her. “Those vampires will be in here in a very short time. If they don’t find him, they will pursue you. If I am here – they will not. It is quite simple, really.”

 

Buffy shook her head. Her voice failed her for a moment. “No – you … I need you, too. They’ll … hurt you … maybe kill you. C’mon, William – we have to go now. We can make it!”
 
William shook his head again and the sound of furniture toppling over filled the air, but neither of them looked away from the other’s eyes. “No – you can make it. You can do it – you and him. Not me. This is where I’m needed. I’ll keep them from following – you go now.”
 
“No!” Buffy’s eyes shimmered in the dim light as tears of frustration sparked in them. Deep down, she knew he was probably right, but she refused to accept that.
 
William caressed her cheek gently and touched a soft kiss to her lips. “I love you, Buffy. Let me do this for you … for us. I got the Gem … they won’t dust me, luv.”
 
Buffy pulled back with wide eyes. “Spike?”
 
Her husband tilted his head and gave her a small smile of recognition. “Do whatever you have to help him. He can do it – he can save his Slayer, but he’ll need your ‘elp. He loves Buffy … he loves Buffy as much as I do. That love is all he needs to save ‘er.”
 
“Spike …” Buffy rasped out past her heart, which seemed to be in her throat, as she reached a hand out to touch his face.
 
Spike closed his eyes a moment and leaned into her touch. He remembered everything, although he wasn’t sure if it was all real. Some he was sure wasn’t; some, like making love with her just a few short hours ago, he was certain was. He didn’t know everything that had happened, but it was clear they were in deep trouble and help was not coming. Buffy had a plan – she’d outlined it for William and Andrew that morning. The linchpin of the plan was Spike … the other Spike. That meant he had to make it out of here, no matter what, and he had to have time to pull off a miracle without the Reds interrupting.
 
“Come with us now – there’s still time,” she begged him as the tears that had gathered in her eyes spilled over.
 
When Spike opened his eyes and met hers, Buffy’s hand trembled and her heart fluttered in fear. He wasn’t going to come; she could see it in his eyes. They were the same as the other Spike’s just before he tumbled off the jib and into Bob’s pit: full of love, but steadfast and determined. She suddenly found it hard to breathe and began shaking her head ‘no’, unable to form words.
 
Spike lifted her hand to his lips and dropped a gentle kiss on her palm. “No, there’s not,” he insisted gravely as he released her hand.
 


Before Buffy could react, before she could grab him and forcibly haul him up into the shaft, he moved away from her, heading back towards the Reds who were still clawing at the bulkhead, trying to get in.
 
Her husband stopped a moment and looked back at her, Spike looked back at her. “Get the hell outta here, Slayer. Got me some Reds t’ kill. Don’t need you mucking up the works.”

Before Buffy could say anything more, Spike strode further away, towards the jagged opening the Reds had torn in the wall. He cocked his sword back, getting it ready to swing as he moved. When he neared the wall, he lashed out with the sword, slashing wildly at the hands and arms that were working feverishly to get into the room.
 
The Reds screamed in pain and, in the low light from above her, Buffy could make out severed limbs and blood falling like demonic rain. A low, satisfied snicker rumbled from her husband’s throat. The rich, velvety sound pierced her heart and embedded itself in her soul. Her husband was back – Spike was back!
 
His words ricocheted around in her head. They were perfectly reasonable – he was right. With him here fighting the Reds, the vamps would have no reason to pursue Spike … they would have Spike. But she couldn’t just leave him here alone!

She could hear Bess above her, calling down, wanting to know if she should come back.  Buffy looked up at her daughter then down at her husband. The Slayer had to decide.
 
A million emotions and thoughts bombarded Buffy as she stood there, frozen. She thought of Annie: her legs lost, her entire world trampled. Buffy thought of the promise she’d made to her girl – a promise to give her her future back. She thought not only of Annie, but of Dani, Billy, and MacKenzie: if she and Spike couldn’t get home, what would become of them? What of all the prophecies their children would face one day? How could Buffy and Spike protect them from what lie ahead if they weren’t there? She thought of Giftless!Spike and the promise she’d made not only to him, but to the others who had lost so much and given their lives to help her. She even thought briefly of Angel, or more accurately, of his son, Connor, who would be left fatherless if things weren’t fixed; really, truly fixed. No child deserves that; not her children or his.
 
She knew of only one way to really, truly fix it.
 
She turned away from her husband as he fought the Reds back. Tears flooded from Buffy’s eyes as she forced her body to climb back onto the desk and then pull up into the tunnel above her. Her heartbeat thundered in her ears. It felt like it would stampede right out of her chest as she climbed up towards Bess, Giftless!Spike, and freedom. She ached all over – not just a physical ache, but an ache that mushroomed up from deep within her soul to engulf her with pure desolation.
 
Spike, I love you … I love you so much, Buffy sent to him through the bond.
 
The reply she got was somehow ironically bittersweet. I love you, Buffy. I believe in you, pet. You’re with me, always.
 
She heard the escape hatch below her click back into place as she clambered up the ladder with a heavy heart.  She prayed she could live up to the belief he had in her. He didn’t know what she’d done; he didn’t know about Riley and the other Spike and the dreams, or even about Annie. Buffy was very sure she didn’t deserve his unconditional faith, his love, or his sacrifice. Leaving him there alone, when she’d just promised William that she would never leave him again, served as proof-positive of that.  

**~**

{{  Click here to hear My Sacrifice by Creed  on YouTube  }}

My Sacrifice by Creed
Hello my friend, we meet again
It's been a while, where should we begin?
Feels like forever

Within my heart are memories
Of perfect love that you gave to me
Oh I remember

When you are with me, I'm free
I'm careless, I believe
Above all the others, we'll fly
This brings tears to my eyes
My sacrifice

We've seen our share of ups and downs
Oh, how quickly life can turn around
In an instant

It feels so good to reunite
Within yourself and within your mind
Let's find peace there

'Cause when you are with me, I'm free
I'm careless, I believe
Above all the others, we'll fly
This brings tears to my eyes
My sacrifice

I just want to say hello again
I just want to say hello again

'Cause when you are with me, I'm free
I'm careless, I believe
Above all the others, we'll fly
This brings tears to my eyes

'Cause when you are with me, I'm free
I'm careless, I believe
Above all the others, we'll fly
This brings tears to my eyes
My sacrifice
My sacrifice

(I just want to say hello again)
I just want to say hello again
My sacrifice
End Notes:
Oh no! Buffy rescued Gift-less!Spike and Bess but lost her husband in the process! Can Gift-less!Spike do what Buffy had been unable to do? Communicate with his past-self and change history; fix everything? Lots more to come ...
I Believe In You by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Now it’s up to Gift-less!Spike. What more could possibly go wrong?! Warnings for character death and return of angst ... did the angst ever go away?
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Late Tuesday night, May 11th, 2011 – Wednesday Morning, May 12th, Gift-less Universe:
 
Gift-less!Spike ‘ooomphed’ even though Buffy and Bess laid him down as gently as they could on the mattress that Buffy had shared with William the night before. He was unconscious – he had been for a while. Andrew came running from somewhere when he heard them, looking behind them for the other Spike.

 

“What happened?!” he asked frantically as he grabbed his medical supplies and headed for the downed warrior. “Where’s the other one? He didn’t dust … tell me he didn’t dust!”
 
“Sp… William stayed behind,” Buffy explained dully. No one else knew that Spike, her Spike, had come back to her at the last moment. It would be easier to just continue to call him William; it would be less confusing.
 
“What!? Why!?” Andrew exclaimed as he began cleaning Spike’s wounds and trying to assess how bad they were.
 
“So the Reds wouldn’t follow us looking for … him,” Buffy told Andrew, tilting her head towards Spike.
 
“Oh, Yoda help me,” Andrew breathed when he turned Spike over to look at the wounds on the backs of his legs.
 
“Can you fix it?” Buffy asked.
 
Andrew looked up at her with wide eyes, shaking his head slowly. “Fix? I … it’s … his hamstrings and muscles are … shredded. Who … how?”
 
Buffy’s stomach turned when Andrew cut away the fabric of Spike’s jeans to reveal his wounds. She had to look away from the gruesome, bloody mess of torn sinew, muscle, and skin. “The Reds did it. They wanted the scroll and the book he took. He wouldn’t tell them anything.”
 
Buffy swallowed hard and concentrated on looking at Andrew instead of Spike. “Can you just bandage him up, stop the bleeding and … wake him up?” she asked.

 

Andrew frowned and looked back down at Spike’s wounds. “I can try,” he muttered under his breath. Why did everyone think he could just wake people up at will? Seriously? He’d tried for days to wake Spike up after getting him out of Bob’s pit with no luck. What made her think he could just snap his fingers and wake him up now?
 
“Good. When you’re done, I need you to get your priest gear, grab about a gallon of sea water, and bless it for me,” Buffy continued.
 
“What for?”
 
Buffy took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Spike’s gonna use the red-goo to go back in time and fix things.”
 
Andrew gave her a surprised look. “He won’t be able to walk for … weeks, maybe months!”
 
“He doesn’t need to walk – he just needs to be awake. Get him fixed up and get that holy water. I’m gonna gather up some of the ruby dust from the common area,” Buffy told him as she started to walk away.
 
“Oh, by the way,” Buffy called back over her shoulder. “This is our daughter, Bess. Bess, this is Andrew. Play nice – I’ll be right back.”
 
**~**
 
Andrew and Bess eyed each other a moment, then Andrew offered, “Welcome to my humble abode.”
 
Bess smiled slightly and looked around. “I’m thinking it’s not much of an ‘abode’ … no vamp barrier.”
 
Andrew snorted as he continued cutting Spike’s jeans off so he could see the full extent of the injuries. “I did my best to make it homey! It’s not my fault mysterious, magical barriers don’t recognize lairs as sacrosanct. Apparently, that’s an evil loophole that needs to be addressed with …” Andrew stopped talking and looked up at her with narrowed eyes. “How to you know there’s no vamp barrier?”
 
Bess smiled wider but didn’t answer him. “Do you need help?” she asked instead, motioning with her head at Spike.
 
“No – I’ve got it,” Andrew declined, suddenly wary and feeling protective of his unconscious patient.
 
**~**
 
Spike? Buffy called through the bond when she was out in the common area and alone.
 
Hey, pet. Miss me already? he sent back.
 
Buffy smiled. Yes – terribly. Are you alright?
 
Right as rain. Any trouble gettin’ out?

 

Not much, Buffy replied. Ran into a couple of Reds down near the gangplank, but we took care of them. Are you really alright? The Reds … haven’t gotten in yet?
 
Oh, yeah, they got in, he acknowledged. Lost a few fingers and arms along the way, they did. Then I took ‘em on a little romp ‘round the ship – up the escape hatch. We did a little dosado ‘round the deck. Now we’re playing hide n’ seek … it’s a slap and a tickle.
 
Buffy laughed lightly and shook her head as a small bit of relief flowed over her. Well, if you can keep one step ahead of them for a while longer, maybe …
 
Gotta run, pet! Sorry … love you! he cut her off and Buffy felt the bond close. The relief evaporated like raindrops on hot pavement. She pushed her worry down, reminding herself that he had the Gem and he would be alright. He was smart. He was fast, he was devious, he was strong, he was dangerous … he was Spike. Of course, the other Spike had gotten captured just a few hours ago by those very same vamps that were now chasing her husband. Shit!
 
Buffy grabbed a small, plastic garbage can, scooped up some of the red glitter dust from the floor, and headed back to Room 314. Hopefully, Andrew had Spike woken up by now and Spike … the other Spike, her Spike, wouldn’t have to dance too much longer.
 
**~**
 
“You’re not blessing it right!” Buffy accused Andrew a little while later. She clenched her fists in anger, trying very hard not to throttle the Jedi Priest.
 
“I am so!” Andrew whined, crossing his arms over his chest. “I’m doing it just the same as before!” he insisted.
 
“Then why isn’t anything happening to it?” Buffy asked, sloshing the red glitter and holy water around in the garbage can. It wasn’t expanding like it had before. She’d even put her face above it and inhaled deeply. Absolutely nothing had happened.

 

“How should I know!?” Andrew snapped back, stomping his foot down for emphasis.
 
Buffy looked up at the ceiling. “Fuck! What the fuck else could possibly go wrong?”
 
“There you are with that pretty word again, Slayer. I’m still waiting for you to explain the meaning of that t’ me,” Spike teased as he lay on his stomach on the mattress. His legs were bandaged from hip to knee and his jeans had been made into cut-off, Daisy Duke shorts. He’d simply loved that – much like cats love baths. Andrew, on the other hand, was quite pleased with the wardrobe change. The Jedi Priest was careful not to let it show, though, or stare too long at Spike’s bare calves. It was a shame the vamp’s thighs were completely covered with the bandages … a real shame.
 
“’Course …” he continued, closing his eyes and inhaling deeply. “I reckon you showed William what it meant right ‘ere just last night.”
 
“Spike – this isn’t some kind of game! This has to work! It has to … it just … fucking has to!” Buffy scolded him as tears of frustration burned her eyes.
 
Spike sighed. “Sorry, pet. I know … I just …” He shook his head and then dropped it down heavily onto the pillow. “You got a lotta faith in …” his voice trailed off and he shook his head again.
 
Buffy knelt on the mattress next to him and laid a hand on his back. “Spike, I have faith in you. I know you can do it. I just know you can. Everyone’s counting on you. Me, Annie, Dawn, all the Scoobies – hell, the whole world is counting on you … and Buffy is too.”
 
Spike snorted. “No pressure then. Brilliant,” he moaned, rolling his eyes behind closed lids. Who did she think he was, anyway, bloody Atlas?

 

“Can I ask ya something, Slayer?” Spike questioned solemnly, looking up at her.
 
“Of course,” Buffy replied as she kept looking at the inert glitter floating in the water.
 
“How do I …” Spike swallowed and faltered.
 
When he didn’t continue, Buffy looked up at him. “What?”
 
Spike took a breath and started again. “If I can ... do this – go back, how do I make ‘er … love me? What’s the secret o’ Buffy?”
 
Buffy gave him a small, sad smile and set the garbage pail down. “I forgot you never got the chance to see …” she took a deep breath in through her nose and blew it out through her mouth. “Her demon. Slayer's are made from darkness, just like vampires. Try to reach the demon inside her. Try to get her to accept it instead of … denying it. She won’t want to, but you can show her how to … how to live with it – how to even enjoy living with it … well, most of the time, anyway. And let her come to you – don’t push her, that’ll just make her push back.
 
“But you’ll have to show your true self to her, Spike. You’ll have to show that little bit of William’s soul to her.”
 
Spike started to object but Buffy laid a finger on his lips, silencing him. “It’s there. I can feel it inside you. You’ve just forgotten – let yourself feel it, Spike. Trust William. He really isn’t as big a ponce as you’d like to think,” Buffy assured him. “She has to trust you; she has to know she can count on you, no matter who or what stands in your way, and you’ll need William’s soul for that. But she also has know, and accept, that she has a demon inside her too; just like you.”
 
Spike nodded thoughtfully and Buffy pulled her finger away from his lips. "How do I ... reach it ... 'er demon?"

Buffy shrugged slightly. "Sex sells," she advised. "But don't push. Just ... lay it out there and wait for her to make the move."

Spike cocked a brow at her, but Buffy had turned her attention back to the holy water in the garbage can. Specks of red glitter floated in it benignly – absolutely nothing was happening to it.
 
Bess, who had been waiting as Buffy talked to Spike, dipped her hand in the water and pulled it out with a squeal as it began to burn immediately. “Shit!” she swore as she rushed into the kitchen to wash it off with tap water.
 
“See! I told you so!” Andrew announced, vindicated. He had finally deduced that Bess was a vampire. This epiphany came a little while after Spike woke up and told him to get them both some blood.
 
Buffy rolled her eyes. “Fine – it’s not you. Something else is wrong.”
 
“It’s the dust,” Bess announced as she came back from the kitchen, her burnt hand wrapped in one of Andrew’s good, hand-embroidered tea towels. He scowled at her; she didn’t notice.
 
Bess picked up a pinch of the red glitter off the floor. “It doesn’t smell right,” she explained further, lifting it to her nose. “It’s like it’s … stale or …” she smelled it again and wrinkled her nose up, “… maybe contaminated with something.”
 
Bess held it out to Spike for him to smell. “Bloody hell,” he moaned. “The girl’s right. It’s been depleted by the holy water it was soaked in before! All the … mojo or whatnot’s gone out of it.”
 
Buffy let out a relieved breath. “Ok, so we need some fresh Red dust. I think there’s some right outside the door,” she began as she started to stand.
 
“No – that won’t be any good. Those Reds dusted from the holy water – be the same bloody problem,” Spike asserted. “We need some from somewhere else – maybe by the tower or…”
 
“Crawford Street,” Bess interjected. “The basement floor’s covered with it. Do you want me to go get some?”
 
Buffy shook her head. “No – I don’t want us splitting up any more; it’s too dangerous. We’ll all go. We can do it there just as well.”
 
**~**
 
Spike’s wounds began bleeding again on the trip to the mansion on Crawford Street. Buffy had carried him this time – she wasn’t as gentle as Bess had been on the trip from the docks. At least, the part he remembered of Bess carrying him had been smoother – right up until he had passed out from the pain. He thought it best not to mention it to the Slayer, though – she might just drop him. His head still hurt from where she’d purposely banged it into the wall in the passageway of the ship.
 
Andrew had brought a clean blanket, which he spread out on the dirty floor of the basement to try and keep Spike’s wounds and bandages clean. He knew vampires didn’t get infections, but still … dirty wounds were just unhygienic and gross. Bess and Andrew helped Buffy set Spike down as gently as possible on the blanket.
 
Spike closed his eyes and willed the pain to subside. His legs weren’t the only things that hurt. He was pretty certain he had some bruised or broken ribs, his head hurt, not only from Buffy’s mistreatment of him, but from blows he’d taken from the Reds during their interrogation. Adding to his misery, his dislocated shoulder felt like it had a dagger being twisted in it, which had been made worse by all the dangling over little girls’ shoulders as he was carted all over town. And, the pièce de résistance: he was wearing short-shorts and being ogled by Andrew, which wasn’t physically painful, but being unable to throttle the little poofter was wearing on his finite supply of patience.
 
The very worst pain, however, was one that he couldn’t attribute to anything physical – it was the weight of the world that rested on his too-narrow shoulders. Everyone, Buffy had pointed out, was counting on him to do this. He was supposed to find a way to communicate with his past-self at just the right moment as his life flashed before his eyes. And, according to Buffy, it didn’t run in sequence, so he couldn’t just sit back and wait for the right moment to arrive; he had to be ready to … to what? To get past-Spike to listen to his future self. And, since that alone wasn’t gonna be hard enough, make sure you don’t let the rollercoaster ride of emotions overwhelm you and turn you into a blithering idiot. Sounded like a bloody cake walk in the park.
 
“Ok, you ready?” Buffy asked Spike as she crouched down in front of him.

 

“No,” he answered honestly.
 
“Good. Here we go. Ok, remember to keep in mind what you want to get through to yourself. It needs to be short and fast – you never know how much time you’ll have in any particular moment in time,” Buffy advised.
 
“Buffy … I …” Spike began and faltered, pressing his eyes closed so he couldn’t see her looking at him with those hopeful eyes. He’d done nothing but let the Slayer down – in all honesty, he’d let everyone he’d ever truly loved down. He’d let his mother down in countless ways, he’d let Dru down by falling for and helping the Slayer, and he’d let Buffy and Dawn down by not keeping his word, not protecting them when he’d promised to. He’d let this woman in front of him down by goading her into going on patrol with her daughter – and it had cost the girl her legs. Everyone. Everyone he’d ever cared anything for, he’d let down one way or another. What made her think this was going to be any different?
 
Buffy laid her hand on his cheek and Spike slowly opened his eyes and met her gaze. “You are the strongest person I’ve ever known, Spike. You have the heart of a lion, and you may not believe it, but you have the soul of a champion. I can feel it inside you even now. I know how much you love Buffy – this is your chance at redemption. This is your chance to win her love. Most people don’t get second chances – don’t blow it. Don’t get weak-willed and weepy on me now. Get mad. Get stubborn. Get proud and growly and fight like the mule-headed, vampire bastard you are!”

Spike cocked a brow at her. “I was likin’ that right up to the end bit. Not exactly the St. Crispin’s Day speech, luv.”
 
“Yeah, well, I’m an Original Recipe girl myself. Take what you can get,” Buffy advised him without cracking a smile.
 
“You’re a piece o’ work, Slayer.”
 
“So I’ve been told,” Buffy admitted with a sigh. “I got no more inspirational speeches for you. It’s up to you now. You ready?”
 
Spike took a deep breath and nodded. “Ready as a deer in headlights, I reckon.”
 
Being careful to keep it away from her own nose, Buffy lifted a bowl of the newly-mixed holy water and Red dust up to him. It looked just like jiggly, cherry-flavored Jell-O. “Just smell lightly at first – if that doesn’t work, then we can do more. I don’t know what will happen if you take too much, especially with your extra-strong vampire sniffer.”

 

Spike rolled his eyes. “Bloody comfortin’, that is, Slayer.”
 
Spike sniffed the glittering red sludgy concoction from a few inches away. Nothing happened. He lifted it closer … and closer and closer. Finally, with it just an inch from his nose, he breathed in deeply.
 
Time fractured.
 
“My little Spike just killed himself a Slayer,” Dru trilled, her voice full of pride and excitement. Darla and Angelus stood in front of him with Dru at his side. The streets were filled with fighting and fleeing humans. The smell of fear filled the air like sweet perfume.

 

Spike watched the scene through his own eyes, but could tell that he wasn’t actually in charge of what came out of his own mouth. In the basement, his physical body shuddered and he hardened with the ecstasy of the Chinese Slayer’s blood that warmed him, just as it had done that night over a century ago. The memory of the fight, and the bliss of sharing his victory with Drusilla, was still forefront in his mind. It was intoxicating.
 
“Come on. I can feel it, Slayer. You know you wanna dance.”


Spike spun around at the sound of his own voice. Suddenly, he found himself in the alley behind the Bronze, looking a Buffy. Buffy! Alive and well and … angry.

“Say it's true. Say I do want to. It wouldn't be you, Spike. It would never be you.”
 
“No … no, no …” Spike moaned to himself, but the words wouldn’t come out of his mouth. “No, Buffy … don’t. Please don’t say it…”
 
She shoved him hard and he felt himself fall to the ground. Spike knew what was coming next, but he was powerless to stop it. He could only watch as Buffy tossed a wad of cash at him as he sat, stunned, on the pavement.




“You're beneath me,” she spat at him before turning on her heel and striding off.
 
Spike’s heart crumbled … shattered into a million pieces. Tears came to his eyes as he gathered the money up. And then … anger. Fury! Utter, unmitigated rage engulfed him.
 
Spike could feel it all as if it had just happened … as if it was still happening. He could feel his chest heave with the ferocity of the loathing he felt for her at that moment. It was a hatred that could only be fueled by being discarded so carelessly by someone you loved so much. She would feel his wrath! He would show her what it was to be beneath him! Six bloody feet beneath him!
 
“Come in, Spike.”
 
Spike whirled around again. He was standing on Buffy’s threshold. The vamp barrier had been keeping him out until she uttered the three sweetest words he could ever hope to hear from her. His heart soared.

 

“I'm counting on you. To protect her,” Buffy was telling him, her voice solemn.


“'Til the end of the world – even if that happens to be t’night.”


Spike could feel the determination in his own words. He could feel the faith she had in him, the trust she’d put in him to protect Dawn. He was lifted up from the depths of hell in that single moment. He watched as she slowly turned away from him and mounted the stairs.
 
Now! Spike thought. Tell yourself now!
 
Before he could even get any words out, he was spun around again and found himself reciting poetry to his mother in the parlour of their home. Oh, bloody hell…

 

As disappointed as he was that he missed that chance to talk to himself, Spike couldn't help but feel the love and affection that his mother had for him; and his for her. It made him feel … human again. He could actually feel hot blood coursing through his veins, feel the need for air as he breathed in and out, and feel the warmth of the fire prickle a bead of sweat on his brow. It was something he’d never dreamed of experiencing again and he embraced it with open arms. He was alive! He was a man! He wasn’t a monster.
 
In the basement, he laid a hand over his heart and could feel his pulse beating an even rhythm beneath his palm. He wondered if he could feel his soul in the same way … where was it, near his heart? Buffy said she could feel it, surely he could feel it, as well…
 
“Now, now, William,” his father’s voice scolded lightly. “There’s no need for tears.”
 
Spike spun around. He was five years old. His father was kneeling before him, dressed smartly in his military uniform, his helmet tucked under one arm. “I’ll only be away for a short while. Queen and country call, my dear boy. You’ll be the man of the house while I’m away. Are you up to it?”
 
Spike felt himself sniff back his boyish tears and nod resolutely.

 

“Do you promise to watch over your mother?” his father asked him solemnly. “I’m leaving her in your care.”
 
Spike felt his five-year-old heart swell with pride and resolve. “I promise, father.”
 
“That’s a good man.” Henry Weckerly ruffled his young son’s curls and stood up to go.
 
Spike felt his small hand wrap around his father’s fingers and tug on them. His father’s hand was so big; it felt so strong in his small grip – larger than life. When his father looked back down at him, William asked, “Do you promise to come back soon? I must return to school in just five weeks. I won’t be able to watch over Mother properly while I’m at school.”
 
His father smiled down on young William. “Indeed, I do promise to return forthwith. You may depend on it.”
 
Suddenly, the most heart-wrenching wail he’d ever heard split the air. He turned again and felt his mother’s arms engulf him in a desperate hug. He could see some sort of paper in her hands, but couldn’t tell what it was. She was crying uncontrollably – that was the sound he’d heard. He could feel his own confusion. Even though Spike knew, the boy he was inside didn’t know why she was crying, didn’t know what was wrong. She just clung to him, squeezing his small frame painfully in her grief. If she would only tell him what was wrong, he would fix it. He was the man while his father was away.
 
Finally, she released him and brought the paper up to read again, as if, in those few minutes that had passed, the words on the paper might’ve changed. They hadn’t.
 
“William …” she began through her sobs. “It’s your … father.”
 
Spike felt his heart thundering in his chest, just as it had done that horrible, horrible night so many years ago. He felt tears well in his eyes and swallowed hard. He had to be the man. Men, he had been told, do not cry.
 
“What is it, Mother?” he asked, his young voice small and quivering with fear.
 
“Your father,” Anne began again, “has been killed on the battlefield.”
 
Spike felt his heart break, just as it had done when he was five and his mother delivered this news. He felt the tears win the battle of wills over the boy’s resolve, and flow down his cheeks in earnest. Words of denial sprang to his mind and flowed from trembling lips. “That can’t be, Mother. It must be … an error. Father promised! He would be back … forthwith!”
 
“I'm counting on you. To protect her,” Buffy’s voice came to him again, full of solemnity.


“'Til the end of the world – even if that happens to be t’night.”


Spike spun again. He was reeling from the emotions that rolled over him like a summer monsoon. Torrents of tears streamed down his face and he tried to reorient himself. He was back in Buffy’s living room, gathering weapons before the fight with Glory.
 
“DOC! KILL DOC!” he screamed at himself. “He’s a Reptilian Demon! Cut his soddin’ head off! Burn the body!”
 
“I'll be a minute,” Buffy continued, turning and starting up the stairs.



"Or Ben! Ben is Glory! Kill Ben, kill Glory!" Spike continued to scream at his past-self. "Tell Buffy! Ben is Glory!"


“I know you'll never love me. I know that I'm a monster. But you treat me like a man, and that's...”
 
Spike felt the fluttering in his chest beat harder. It felt like a million angels had gathered there … a million angels that were embodied in just one woman – the Slayer. His love for Buffy at that moment was overpowering his ability to think. Worse, his past-self hadn’t seemed to hear a word he’d said. Spike gathered every ounce of anger, every fallen tear, every bit of rage, every broken promise, every speck of courage, and screamed at himself again to kill Ben before it was too late.
 
Spike’s eyes flashed open. His chest heaved with gasping, rapid breaths of heartbreak mixed with panic and effort. He looked around – he was in the basement of the mansion on Crawford Street. He was sitting on the floor and someone was holding him from behind. Strong arms wrapped around his chest tightly. They were keeping him in place, keeping him from injuring himself further. Buffy.
 
He closed his eyes and wiped at his damp face, letting out a deep breath of relief that the nightmare had ended. Suddenly, he felt weak and light-headed, as if every bit of energy had been wrung out of him. His body felt like a wet rag, heavy and formless, and his eyelids slid closed again.
 
“Spike?” Buffy asked, her mouth right near his ear. “Spike, what happened? Spike?”
 
“Told ‘im,” he muttered, his voice drunken with exhaustion. It was all he could say before he slipped into the peaceful oblivion of unconsciousness that beckoned him from the darkest corners of his mind.
 
**~**
 
Andrew and Bess looked at Buffy as she loosened her grip on Spike. He’d gone completely limp in her arms. His flailing and thrashing limbs had stilled, he’d stopped moaning and crying, and he’d even stopped breathing.

 

“Did it … work? I don’t feel any different. Shouldn’t I feel different?” Andrew asked nervously.
 
Buffy shook her head. “It didn’t work.”
 
She laid Spike down gently and slid out from under him, then stood up. “Get some more holy water ready – he’s gonna have to try again when he wakes up.”
 
Andrew looked dubious. “He doesn’t look like he can take much more of that,” he pointed out. “He’s lost a lot of blood and he keeps ripping his wounds open more,” he added protectively. “Maybe we just need to forget…”
 
Before he could finish the thought, Buffy slammed her fist into the basement wall less than an inch away from his head. Andrew jumped away and squealed like a frightened child in a haunted house.
 
“He can do it. He has to do it,” she snarled at him. “Get some more holy water ready. Now.”
 
Andrew swallowed hard and nodded, slipping away from her quickly.
 
Bess walked up to Buffy just as the Slayer yanked a bruised and bloodied hand out of the concrete block wall, raining cement dust and sand down on the floor. Bess bit her bottom lip and put her hand on Buffy’s shoulder. “Andrew’s right about one thing,” Bess ventured. “He’s lost a lot of blood. He may need …” Bess let her eyes wander to Buffy’s bleeding hand and then met her mother’s eyes.

Buffy nodded slowly. It suddenly dawned on Buffy why her husband told her ‘to do whatever she had to’ to help Spike. He must’ve known something like this would be needed. He was giving her permission to share her blood with this man that was not her mate; she just hadn’t realized it until now. Tears burned Buffy’s eyes and she looked back at the unconscious vamp.

  

She would do whatever it took to help him, but in the end it was up to him to find a way to get through to his past-self and change things. She again wondered if he had changed too much to succeed in this mission. Had his heart hardened too thoroughly to believe that he could actually change things? ‘He just needs to want it badly enough’ her subconscious had told her. Did he?
 
Buffy was just about to open the bond with her Spike when she felt his frantic ‘pounding’ in her mind. Spike!?
 
Buffy! They figured it out! Get outta there – they’re comin’ for him!
 
It’s ok – we aren’t where they think we are. We’re at the mansion, she sent back. Where are you? Are you alright? she asked worriedly.
 
She could feel relief wash over him. I’m alright … for now. Pretty sure they’re starting to figure out I got the Gem, though. If they catch me again …
 
Again! They caught you? Get out of there, Spike! Just … run! Come to the mansion! Buffy sent back frantically.
 
Yeah … well … might have a bit of a problem with that, pet. I’m just slightly trapped at the mo’. Who knew you couldn’t actually get outta the bloody bilge? Thought there had to be a way out – through the pump or a scuttle hole or whatnot … but, so far, I haven’t found it.
 
Buffy moaned and rubbed her eyes tiredly. They were running out of time. If the Reds caught Spike and started shredding him to find the Gem … she shuddered at the thought. On top of that, after they went to the base camp and discovered everyone was gone, they’d no doubt be able to follow their scent trail here.
 
Enough about me, how’re things going with you? Spike asked, as if he’d just met an old friend on the street and was making polite conversation.
 
Peachy. Spike tried but … it didn’t work. Now he’s passed out.
 
Bloody wanker! And he called me ‘namby-pamby’. Wake his soddin’ ass up! Tell him he can sleep when he’s dead! Spike advised. I’m swimming around in this stinking bilge water, the least he can do is play footsies with some of our old ghosties.
 
Buffy nodded. I’ll … I mean … Bess suggested … Buffy took a deep breath. I’m gonna have to give him some blood – probably more than a little sip.
 
I know, pet. Do what ya haveta to do, Buffy. He can do it – he may just need to be reminded what he’s fightin’ for.
 
Ok, I’ll … let me see what I can do. Please … get out of there, Spike. If this doesn’t work, I can’t … lose you, too.
 
Working on it, pet. No worries, now. Do what you have to there – don’t worry about me.
 
I love you, Spike.
 
I love you too, Buffy. See you soon.

 
And with that he was gone, the bond closed.
 
Buffy took a deep breath and firmed her resolve. If Spike needed to be reminded of what he was fighting for, then she’d just have to remind him.
 
**~**
 
Spike felt himself waking up from the most pleasant dream and he fought to remain unconscious, or asleep, at least. It wasn’t as vivid as the dreams he’d had when Buffy had been here before, but it was an old favorite that he’d had many times. She’d come to his crypt to stake him for something or another and they’d ended up fighting, then snogging, then making love. Now she was holding him, kissing his neck and face gently. He could feel her warm lips, her soft breath against his skin. He could even smell the fragrance of her and feel her hands where they rested against his body. She was murmuring his name between the kisses and her voice poured over him like silken fire, setting his desire ablaze again.

 

“Spike? Spike, wake up now.” Buffy’s lips whispered over his brow as softly as her words.
 
“Spike, I need you to wake up. You need to eat … you need blood.”
 
Spike shook his head slowly and a saucy grin quirked across his lips. “No, pet … just need you.”
 
Buffy sighed and looked up from her position on the floor where she held the unconscious vampire. How was she supposed to remind him of what he was fighting for if he wouldn’t wake up? She’d tried talking, tried kissing him awake, tried nibbling on his ear, and even shook him a bit. He wasn’t waking up.
 
Bess stood near and met her gaze, giving her mother a shrug. “Maybe if you, ya know … slapped him or something,” she suggested.
 
“No! You can’t slap him! He’s defenseless and … injured and … you’ll hurt him,” Andrew objected, looking up from his priestly work of blessing more seawater.
 
Buffy rolled her eyes. “Fine, no slapping,” she agreed. “Hand me that sword,” she requested of Bess, pointing at one of the weapons they’d brought with them.
 
“No stabbing either!” Andrew shrieked, jumping up from his task. “I forbid it!”
 
Buffy looked at him incredulously. It was all she could do to not laugh at him. “You … forbid?”
 
Andrew had started moving towards her, but faltered at her glare, and stopped short. “I mean … I … uhhh .. don’t think it … would be a good …” He stopped talking when Buffy took the sword and sliced a long gash along her palm. “Oh…” he muttered as he watched the Slayer lift her bleeding hand to Spike’s lips. “Well … yeah, that might … work.”
 
Spike was suddenly back in the bathtub at Giles’ flat – chained up and at the mercy of the Watcher, the Slayer, and her little gang of miscreants. Buffy was taunting him, running a finger slowly up and down the side of her neck and saying, “You want something nicer? Look at my poor neck. All bare and tender and exposed … all that blood just ... pumping away...”

 

He’d had this dream before too – it never ended well. In fact, it was one of the most frustrating, infuriating, and degrading dreams his subconscious conjured. Maybe he should just try to wake up, after all.
 
As the dream continued, Spike lunged at her and, unlike every other time he’d had this dream, he broke free of the chains that were holding him. He fell atop her and they both tumbled to the floor in a heap. Then her warm, sweet blood was on his tongue and down his throat and it was glorious. She was moaning and writhing under him, but it wasn’t in pain or distress, it was in pleasure. The chip didn’t fire, he realized, because he was giving her pleasure – not pain. It somehow knew that he wasn’t going to hurt her – he’d never really been able to hurt her, even when he was trying to kill her.
 
“Spike,” her voice sounded so real, so close. “Spike, open your eyes – look at me.”
 
Spike blinked his eyes open at her command – he longed to look into her eyes. He longed to see compassion there, trust, respect. What he saw was so much more.
 
“Buffy,” he moaned, her name garbled as he suckled the wound on her hand, slowly closing and healing it as he did so.
 
Spike pulled back, suddenly aware that he was no longer dreaming. Her eyes were right there, right in front of his. There was a softness to them that he’d never seen directed at him before. She smiled at him, a sweet smile that reached her eyes and made them glitter in the dim light.
 
“Buffy? What …” His head spun slightly, both from the Slayer blood he’d just consumed and the aftereffects of the dreams. He couldn’t quite get a handle on what was going on. Had what he’d done worked? Was this some alternate future that had been borne of his success in protecting Buffy and Dawn from Glory?
 
“Welcome back,” Buffy offered, keeping the smile on her face. “I hate to tell you this, but … it didn’t work … yet.”
 
Spike looked around, finally able to put everything together. He sighed heavily and shook his head in defeat. “Sorry, pet. I … bloody hell, I did everything I could…”
 
Buffy sat beside him, facing him. She pulled him to her and Spike dropped his head on her shoulder, accepting her solace gratefully. “We’ll just have to try again,” she whispered to him, stroking a hand down the back of his head to his neck.
 
He shook his head again, still leaning against her shoulder. “Can’t do it … just ain’t got it, Buffy. I’m sorry, luv. I just … don’t know what else I could do.”
 
“Spike, listen to me now,” Buffy admonished him, pushing him back so he could see into her eyes. “You can do it. I know you can – I know you. You’re strong, you’re a fighter, you’re a good man; you don’t give up – ever.”

 

Spike looked away from her eyes and shook his head again. Buffy grabbed his face between her hands and made him focus his gaze back on her eyes. “You may not see it, but I do. I know what you are – I know your heart. I believe in you, Spike.”
 
Before Spike could respond and tell her what a fool she was, a loud pounding began on the basement door that led into the sewers. At nearly the same time, more banging and pounding started on the door that led into the mansion itself. The Reds had found them.
 
There was little in the basement to pile against the doors to block them, but Bess had moved the trunk of old clothes and wedged it in front of the door from the sewers. There were a few other discarded boxes, and the other trunk, under the stairs which she’d hauled up and placed against the other door. It wasn’t much. The doors wouldn’t hold long. Bess took up a position near the sewer entrance with the scythe; Andrew took up a position at the top of the stairs with squirt-bottles full of holy water and a stake.
 
Spike tried to get up when the assault began, momentarily forgetting about his ravaged legs. He didn’t get far before he fell back onto his ass with a hiss of pain. Buffy turned to him, her eyes wide with concern. No, more than concern, he thought – fear. “You have to try again, Spike. It’s our only chance. I know you can do it,” she urged him. “Do it for me. Do it because my love is within your grasp. All you have to do is reach for it.”
 
Spike’s jaw clenched and he nodded, but he knew that he’d already done everything he could to get a message to his past-self. Doing it again would make no difference. How many times would he let this woman down? How many times would he fail? Perhaps, he thought bitterly, the Reds would make sure this would be the last time. A small part of him actually hoped so.
 
Suddenly, there was a burst of light and a fierce wind whirled around the interior of the basement. Everyone shielded their eyes from the flying dust in the air and the unexpectedly bright light. When the wind died and the light faded, they all looked up to see Cordelia and Charles Gunn standing there, crossbows loaded and at the ready.
 
“What the hell?” Buffy exclaimed, jumping up and heading toward the pair.
 
Cordy leveled her weapon at Buffy’s chest and Buffy stopped abruptly. “Where’s Angel?” the brunette asked without preamble, keeping her weapon trained on Buffy.

 

“He’s not here,” Buffy answered opaquely.
 
“Wolfram & Hart says different,” Gunn chimed in. “Where is he?”
 
By now Bess had come up and stood about three feet to the side of Buffy. The Reds were pounding on the doors and the wood was starting to splinter and crumble under their attack.
 
“Well, they’re wrong!” Buffy insisted. “And I really don’t have time for this right now. We’re gonna be overrun here in about sixty seconds, so why don’t you make yourself useful and aim those things at the demons that are about to kill us all?”
 
Cordy and Gunn looked around the room warily, trying to find Angel. Gunn pulled out some kind of electronic device the size of a smartphone and was waving it around like a Geiger counter. He stepped over to check in the dark under the stairs, but shook his head, silently telling Cordy that her husband wasn’t there. From there, he continued moving around the basement, slowly scanning the area with his small, hand-held machine.
 
“What did you do to him?” Cordy snarled at her. “What happened? He wouldn’t screw you again so you beat him up and left him somewhere to die? Or did you drop him back under the ocean? Is that it? You know, he’s told me about all your tricks.”

 

“Are you out of your fucking mind?” Buffy exclaimed, throwing her arms out to the sides in exasperation. “I didn’t hurt Angel! I haven’t even seen Angel here!” Buffy offered truthfully. “And I certainly don’t want him! He’s the one that stalked me for years! God, what does he have you under some kind of thrall? Or has life in L.A. finally rotted what was left of your pea brain? I know you’ve never been the sharpest tool in the shed, Cordy – but p-leeease!”
 
Before Cordy could retort, Buffy spun on her heel and headed back to Spike, picking up the bowl of shimmering Jell-O-like, red goo that Andrew had prepared as she passed. “I don’t have time for this bullshit,” she called over her shoulder.
 
“Keep them out as long as you can,” Buffy ordered Bess, nodding her head towards the splintering basement door. Bess nodded and headed back to her post, ignoring the two newcomers.
 
Buffy dropped down to her knees in front of Spike, holding the bowl that contained the time-travel goo. She took a breath to try and calm her nerves and put Cordy’s insanity out of her mind. The entire room seemed to be filled with the sound of the Reds battering the doors, but she tried to ignore it; she needed to stay focused on getting Spike to try again. Their pounding felt like an earthquake, and Buffy half expected the whole house to collapse atop them at any moment from the vibration, but she put that thought out of her mind too.
 
Behind her, Gunn shouted for Cordy, but Buffy didn’t hear. He was standing in a dark corner of the basement where a mixture of dirt, dust, and red glitter had been blown from the whirlwind that had accompanied their arrival. The machine in his hand was clicking like he’d just found pure uranium ore.
 
Cordy’s eyes went wide as she realized the ramifications of what Gunn was showing her. Angel wasn’t just hurt. Her husband wasn’t locked somewhere under the waves. He was dust.
 
“You bitch!” Cordy screamed in rage, swinging around towards Buffy again.
 
Suddenly, Buffy felt a sharp, searing pain in her back and chest. She gasped, and the bowl of glimmering, crimson gelatin fell from her hand and spilled onto the floor. She looked at Spike with wide, frightened eyes, not comprehending what was happening. He had blood spattered across his face, which nearly covered his look of disbelief.

 

“Buffy!” he exclaimed, grabbing for her before she collapsed. “Buffy!”
 
He could only stare at the sharp tip of the crossbow bolt that protruded from her chest. Bright scarlet, arterial blood gushed from the wound with each beat of her heart. The thick red liquid flowed freely from the hole in her chest and pooled on the floor where it mixed with the gelatin in a gory tableau of shimmering scarlet.
 
“NO! BUFFY!!!!” he screamed again as he lay her down gently on her side, trying not to do more damage than the arrow had already done.
 
Buffy tried to speak, but blood burbled from her lips and she began to cough instead. A searing pain accompanied a feeling of drowning and she suddenly felt very, very cold. She blinked and tried to make her brain work, but it suddenly felt leaden and sluggish. She looked down and found that her blood-soaked hands were clutched around something protruding from her chest. She got mad for a moment – her shirt was ruined! Then she looked up and saw Spike in front of her.
 
Time seemed to slow, and for a moment her vision sharpened. The blue of Spike’s eyes were that of an azure sea and a small zephyr of warmth cut through the cold that had engulfed her. Where he wasn't bruised, his skin appeared even more pale than normal; it now looked ashen in the dim light. Flicks of crimson were spattered over Spike’s face and neck as if Jackson Pollack had used him as a living canvas. Spike’s lips were moving, but Buffy couldn’t hear what he was saying. She shook her head slightly, trying to clear the cotton from her ears, but still she couldn’t hear him. She longed to hear his voice. She reached one hand out and touched his lips, so soft and full, and they stopped moving. She traced them gently with her fingertips and left them stained with blood.

 

Buffy looked back to his eyes and tried to speak again, but was unable to find the breath. The frightened look that she saw in the blue depths of his eyes momentarily sparked something deep inside her back to life. A thought finally materialized: she was dying … again. And then, her vision blurred and the spark was gone.
 
“Slayer! Fight! Buffy!” Spike continued to yell at her, holding her now limp body as it slumped on the cold, dirty floor. He watched her eyes and he could almost literally see her spirit leave them. The fire that was within her, the brilliance that was Buffy, guttered and waned and then snuffed out completely. All that was left in its wake was bleak darkness and utter emptiness.  Time seemed to stop and rewind to that horrible day when he held his own dead Slayer in his arms, and Spike’s heart shattered all over again.
 
Spike could hear screams around him: Bess and Andrew and the two newcomers were all yelling – he couldn’t focus enough to even know what they were saying. The Reds were crashing through the doors; they would be on him any minute. His mind whirled with fear, his body shook with rage, and his soul … yes, his soul, ached. There was an inexplicable emptiness inside him that hadn’t been there just a moment before. The feeling of completeness had been so subtle that he hadn’t actually noticed its presence until it was savagely ripped from him, leaving a jagged, barren crater in its stead.

Although he wasn’t even aware that he was crying, he could taste tears, salty on his lips and tongue. They mingled with the Slayer blood and burned his throat when he tried to swallow them back.
 
 

“Buffy … please … please don’t leave me,” he begged her. “Fight … you have to …” Spike’s voice quavered and vanished, then gave way to a sudden rage that surged within him. He raised his head to the ceiling and howled a piercing, mournful cry of heart-wrenching pain and fury that sliced the air like a razor. His roar filled the entire room, perhaps even the entire world, with a flood of guilt-laden anguish and torment.
 
When his scream disintegrated into nothing more than a whimper, he collapsed down next to Buffy’s body. Sobs wracked him and the inexorable weight of failure once again descended on him like a funeral shroud.
 
Cos you’re soul-mates. It’s like … a rule or something. She has to love you, Annie’s words from so long ago echoed forlornly in his mind.
 
Then it was Buffy’s voice, Do it for me. Do it because my love is within your grasp. All you have to do is reach for it. I believe in you.
 
I believe in you.
 
I believe in you.

 
“I’m sorry, Buffy,” Spike murmured to her, laying a hand over her face and gently closing her eyelids, covering her blank, unseeing eyes. He couldn't bear to have her see what he was about to do.
 
The room around him had erupted in chaos. The Reds were flooding in, the others in the room were battling them in vain, but he barely noticed. Spike lifted a fistful of the gruesome, blessed gelatin, now mixed with copious amounts of Slayer blood, to his lips like a poison pill. He felt the holy water begin to burn a swath of righteousness down his throat when he swallowed it. He would never have a chance to fail her again – the holy water, he knew, would take care of that once and for all.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Allison Kraus (originally by Bob Dylan), I Believe In You  on YouTube  }}


They ask me how I feel
And if my love is real
And how I know I'll make it through
And they, they look at me and frown
They'd like to drive me from this town
They don't want me around
'Cause I believe in you.

They show me to the door
They say don't come back no more
'Cause I don't be like they'd like me to
And I, I walk out on my own
A thousand miles from home
But I don't feel alone
'Cause I believe in you.

I believe in you even through the tears and the laughter
I believe in you even though we be apart
I believe in you even on the morning after
Oh, when the dawn is nearing
Oh, when the night is disappearing
Oh, this feeling is still here in my heart.

Don't let me drift too far
Keep me where you are
Where I will always be renewed
And that which you've given me today
Is worth more than I could pay
And no matter what they say
I believe in you.

I believe in you when winter turn to summer
I believe in you when white turn to black
I believe in you even though I be outnumbered
Oh, though the earth may shake me
Oh, though my friends forsake me
Oh, even that couldn't make me go back.

Don't let me change my heart
Keep me set apart
From all the plans they do pursue
And I, I don't mind the pain
Don't mind the driving rain
I know I will sustain
'Cause I believe in you.
End Notes:
Oh my goodness!! Is anyone going to get out of this dimension alive? We'll find out next...
Wash It All Away, Part 1 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Confusion reigns as life goes on in the Unexpected Universe.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Wednesday Morning, May 12th, Unexpected Universe:


Buffy sat bolt-upright in bed. Her heart was racing and her chest was heaving with labored breath; her skin was covered with beads of perspiration, even though she felt chilled right to the bone. The whole room was whirling around her in a blur of color and shadows as if she were on an out-of-control Merry-Go-Round. She shivered uncontrollably, as if she’d just emerged from a freezer.


 
Her hands were clenched in tight, painful fists against her chest. She slowly opened them; they’d been closed so tightly that it hurt to flex her fingers. She could feel a bit of warmth return to them as she worked her hands, and blood began to flow into her cold, stiff digits. She turned her hands over and over, staring at them with confusion – what had she been grasping? As she pondered this and tried to remember the dream that had awoken her, the spinning room finally settled and lurched to a stop.
 
At the heart of her physical state was a terror the likes of which she’d seldom felt before. Black, bony fingers of fear seemed to reach out from her sleep and take hold of her. She tried to figure out what it was she was afraid of, tried to see where the fear was coming from, but she couldn’t remember. Whatever it was had slipped from her mind like wisps of smoke through her fingers.
 
Now that the room had finally stopped spinning around her, she looked around. Spike was sleeping in the bed next to her – he hadn’t stirred when she awoke. Everything looked … fine. So why was she so frightened? What was she so afraid of? Had she simply had a nightmare and its remnants were clinging to her emotions even though she couldn’t actually remember what it was about?
 
Buffy got out of the bed slowly, then silently padded out of their room and down the hall. She stopped first in the nursery and checked on MacKenzie. The Dagon Sphere illuminated the baby’s room in a golden light. It had been handed down from Annie, then to Dani and Billy, and now to the ‘seer of truth’ as her protective nightlight. In the soft glow of the orb which repels ‘That Which Cannot Be Named’, Buffy could see that the baby was sleeping peacefully.
 
Next, she checked on Dani and then Billy. Both of them were also sound asleep in their beds.
 
Down the hall, Bess’ door was standing open a few inches. She pushed it open farther and saw that the bed was empty save for Angelpie. The kitten stood up and leisurely stretched her back into a high arch before re-curling against Bess’ pillow and settling back to sleep. Buffy then remembered that Bess said she was going to Troy’s after patrol and wouldn’t be home until the following night. Buffy could clearly remember the conversation. Bess said Troy was going to help her study for the GED assessment test, which was coming up in a couple of weeks. Buffy had laughed at the girl’s lame excuse and told Bess she should be sure to take her books with her to make that more believable.
 
Bess had rolled her eyes and insisted, “It’s true! He’s helping me study!”
 
“Yeah, yeah – I know how that goes. I used to ‘study’ at the Bronze: ten minutes with the books, twenty minutes on the dance floor. Why do I think your study habits were inherited from me?”
 
Buffy frowned at the memory of the conversation; it was so clear and yet … vague at the same time. She felt like the answer to her unease was just beyond her reach; like a word that was right on the tip of your tongue but you just couldn’t get to come out and the harder you tried, the further away it got. She felt like she knew something, but couldn’t get her mind to find it in the jumble of un-indexed bits of data she had stashed in there.  Buffy shook the feeling off, unable to grasp any substantial reason for it. She pulled the door closed a bit to cast Angelpie back into darkness, and headed down the hall to the last room.
 
When she got to Annie’s room, she felt those ethereal tendrils of fear wrap around her tighter, like a boa constrictor wrapping around its prey – suffocating her.
 
She tried to take a deep breath to calm down before reaching for the handle of Annie’s door, but she couldn’t breathe; the fear had her gripped too tightly. She steeled herself and opened the door. Her breath was nonexistent, caught in fear’s deadly grasp. Inside, everything was … fine. It was fine and yet, somehow, it seemed … wrong. Something was different. What was it?
 
Annie was sleeping soundly on her bed, curled on her side facing the wall. Miss Kitty slept at her feet, as she’d done since she was a kitten. The old cat gave Buffy a disdainful look, then changed positions and snuggled in the crook at the back of Annie’s knees, out of the shaft of light that Buffy had let in when she’d opened the door.

 

Buffy looked around the room, trying to figure out what it was that had changed. All of Annie’s posters were on her walls, the frilly, fuchsia-pink ballet costume for her upcoming recital hung on the closet door, her school books and computer were on a small desk in one corner. Everything looked fine. The grip of fear loosened, and Buffy was finally able to breathe again, but the trepidation and unease within her remained. On impulse, she went back to MacKenzie’s room, retrieved the Dagon Sphere, and placed it on Annie’s dresser before heading back to her own room.
 
Spike stirred when she slid in beside him. “Everything alright, pet?” he asked, his voice low and drunk with sleep.
 
“Yeah … yeah, fine,” she whispered back as she cuddled up against him. She felt another shiver of fear trail down her spine as he snaked one arm around her, and Buffy settled her head on his shoulder. “Everything’s fine…” she whispered again, more to herself than to him.
 
(About 3 weeks later) Saturday, June 4th, 2011:
 
JJ, Dani, Billy, and Annie roared into the kitchen like a speeding freight-train about mid-afternoon. School was out for summer and they’d started their vacation off with a game of three on two football in the park. JJ, Billy, and Annie against Spike and Dani. After an hour of running on the soccer field in the park, trying to get and keep the ball away from Spike and Dani, the ‘three’ team lost thirty-four to twenty-two. High scoring, no doubt, but there were no goalies – only forwards who also acted as sweepers when the other team had the ball. It made for a much more lively, and high-scoring, game that way.
 
The kids swarmed around the kitchen, rummaging through the cupboards and refrigerator like bears that had just awoken from a long winter’s hibernation. Cabinet doors opened and slammed shut, plastic potato-chip bags rattled, boxes of cookies, and other equally healthy treats, were torn open, and the cold Coke supply dwindled dangerously low. The children chattered endlessly about everything from Dani taking JJ down, which he said should’ve been a foul, but she protested was perfectly legal, to how hot it was outside, to the dog that had run off with the ball, making them all chase after it. None of them seemed to even notice Buffy, who was working on her latest project: Organize the Weckerlys So I Don’t Go Completely Insane.
 
She looked up from her project, which covered half the kitchen table and nearly one whole wall behind it, and watched them as they all gathered their sustenance of choice. With rations in hand, they all whirled back out of the kitchen like four miniature Tasmanian Devils, leaving a disaster area worthy of National Guard activation in their wake. Buffy sighed and shook her head. She decided to just leave the half-empty boxes and bags out on the counters where they’d been strewn. Putting them away was a lost cause – it was like trying to hide a cornfield from a swarm of locusts. If she left them there, most of the contents would be gone in the next invasion and then she could just throw the empty packages away … assuming the locusts didn’t eat them as well.
 
She still had a ‘funny feeling’ almost all the time. She didn’t know what to call it, so that was her solution:  a ‘funny feeling’; although it was actually far from ‘funny’. She didn’t know the cause of it and she didn’t always know how it would manifest. Sometimes she’d be overcome with emotion and just start sobbing for no apparent reason, like she’d done at Annie’s dance recital two weeks ago.
 
Other times she was filled with fear and panic so profound that it was actually beyond her capacity to control. This happened just last week when she’d gone as a chaperone on Dani and Billy’s class trip to the zoo. She’d been perfectly fine most of the day, right up until they’d gone in the ‘bat cave’. It wasn’t a bat cave as in ‘Batman’ like they had at the house, but a real … or simulated to look real, cave full of living, breathing bats. She had freaked out – there was no other way to put it.
 


The whole class had to leave the cave – immediately if not sooner. She began ushering the children from the exhibit like a crazy woman, screaming at them to get out, and she would not stop until the area was cleared.  The teacher and other mothers tried to show her that the bats were behind glass, not in with the children, but it was like she didn’t even hear them. Then, to make matters worse, she wouldn’t let anyone else enter the exhibit, either. She told everyone that would listen that it was dangerous to be that close to bats. What kind of place was this anyway, putting children in danger like that? Billy finally had to call his father to come to the zoo and calm her down.
 
To say that Billy and Dani were mortified would be an understatement. Buffy apologized later, both to the teacher and the twins, and she never could fully explain to anyone, including Spike, why she was so wigged out. Dani was sure they would forever be known as the kids with the ‘batty mother’. Her only consolation was that the school year was nearly over; hopefully everyone would forget about their lunatic mother over the summer. Billy was more understanding – he could tell their mom was really, really upset – she wasn’t pretending just to embarrass them (as she sometimes kidded that she would one day do). Still, he had to agree: they would never live this down.
 
Most of the time, though, the ‘funny feeling’ manifested itself as a sense of foreboding and guilt, but Buffy could never pinpoint exactly what she was feeling guilty about – she just was. She tried to hide it, hoping it would go away as mysteriously and suddenly as it had come on. She worked very hard at holding it in check and, most importantly, she didn’t want Spike to know how bad it was. Just thinking about telling him the full extent of her ‘affliction’ sent a shiver of fear down her spine worse than any demon could, but she didn’t know why.
 
“’ow’s it going, then?” Spike asked as he walked into the kitchen a minute later. He grabbed a beer from the fridge, opened it, and sauntered over to his wife.
 
Buffy blew some hair out of her eyes and shook her head. “Slowly but surely,” she replied, looking up at him with a tired smile.
 
“If anyone can organize this lot, it’d be you, luv,” he assured her as he walked over to the giant write-on/wipe-off calendar that now dominated one wall of the kitchen. It showed the activities for the clan for the next ninety days. Pinned up to the bulletin board beneath it was another one – also ninety days. Off to one side of the calendar was a blank whiteboard for people to leave notes for each other, and on the other side was a long list of phone numbers for everyone from Angel and Cordy in L.A. to Olivia in London.
 
Almost every little block, meaning every day, was filled with something – or numerous things. There were day-camps and family trips, along with practices, games, lessons, appointments, and recitals. There were sleepovers and friend’s birthday parties. Bess’ GED summer school schedule was on there with a big star on the day that she would actually take the test itself.
 
Billy’s activities were in blue ink, Annie’s in pink, Dani’s in orange, and MacKenzie’s, which thankfully consisted only of doctor appointments at this point, in red. Other people, like Bess, Faith, and JJ were listed on there in black so Buffy could keep track of who would be home when for baby-sitting duties, or if she needed to pick JJ up somewhere other than activities shared with one of the other children. Across a full week at the end of August was written, “Olympics” in big, black letters, and the long weekend leading up to Independence Day, plus the week after the actual holiday, was marked with “Willow/Tara”, denoting their annual trip up to visit the witches.
 
Spike studied the colorful map of their lives for a few minutes as Buffy sorted through more printed schedules and notes. Since the children often brought home multiple schedules for the same thing, some of the papers on the table were duplicates, so she had to sort those out. Worse, some were ‘revised’ schedules – if she got the wrong schedule on the board, that would be bad. Very, very bad.
 
Spike furrowed his brow as he looked it all over. “Uhhh … I think ya got one a’ the Niblett’s lessons down for Junior,” he offered tentatively. Buffy had been acting, well … oddly lately. He never knew when the smallest thing would bring on a flood of tears, a panic attack, or an angry outburst. Spike was afraid his announcement would trigger the latter … or possibly the former. Possibly all three.

 

“Huh?” Buffy questioned, her heart sinking with dread. She took a breath and stood up to see what he was talking about, afraid that she’d messed something up.
 
“‘Ere … ya got ‘dance’ in blue.” Spike pointed to several different items written in blue pen to show her.
 
“Oh … uhhh,” Buffy made a small ‘eeek’ face and sat back down. “I meant to talk to you about that,” she muttered uneasily.
 
Spike raised his brows and waited, but she didn’t continue. He stepped over to the table where she was working, pulled out a chair, and sprawled down in it, spreading his tired legs out under it. Despite his vampire strength, keeping up with four kids on the football field wasn’t as easy as it had sounded when he’d suggested it.
 
“Yeah?” he prodded, taking another swig of his beer.
 
Buffy took a breath, but didn’t look at him. “Billy wants to take dance. I signed him up,” she blurted out quickly.
 
Spike’s brows went up again, then he closed his eyes and rubbed at them in earnest. “Bloody hell,” he moaned.
 
Buffy snorted softly and looked up at him. “What? He likes it – he likes acting and singing and … dancing. There’s nothing wrong with that,” she insisted. “You dance,” Buffy pointed out quickly.
 
“I dance with you, luv. I don’t flit around like a bloody butterfly in a tutu!”
 
“Boys don’t wear tutus, they wear … tights … or … just, you know … stretchable pants. And I’m sure he won’t be the butterfly, he’ll be the … thing that lifts the butterfly up and twirls her around in the air,” she defended.
 
At his dubious look, Buffy stiffened. “This,” she accused, pointing a finger at him, “This is why I didn’t even want to tell you. What are you, afraid they’ll make him gay? It doesn’t work that way, ya know. I thought you were more … open minded.”

 

Spike rolled his eyes to the ceiling and sighed. “I am bloody opened minded…” he began, “… to a point.”
 
At her disapproving look, Spike rolled his eyes again. “I don’t care if he’s … gay,” Spike forced out, using the politically-correct term rather than his typical ‘a right poofter’. “As long as ‘e’s happy.  I jus’ don’t like where this is goin’. He’s already a book worm, now he’s gonna be a bloody ballerina too?”
 
“Nooo, he’s gonna be a … male ballet dancer – if he wants. He may not even like it … and plus, it’s not just ballet, they have tap, contemporary, and even hip-hop,” Buffy continued to defend. “It’s great for coordination, balance, and strength – plus self-esteem,” she recited from the brochure she’d read.
 
Spike shook his head and took another long swallow of his beer. “Jus’ don’t like the direction he’s headed, pet,” he said at length.
 
Buffy studied him a minute, her eyes narrowed in thought. Finally she began to nod and a small smile spread across her face. “You’re not afraid he’s gay, you’re afraid he’ll turn out like William,” she accused. “You’re afraid he’ll be just like you – a poet and a scholar and…”
 
“Yeah,” Spike admitted curtly, cutting her off. “Fine – yeah. I’m afraid he’ll ‘ave his soddin’ lunch money stolen every other day, get ridiculed, teased, and bullied. Yeah – and it should scare you, too. You don’t know, Buffy – you ‘ave no idea what that feels like.”

 

Buffy frowned as she studied him, then nodded. “You’re right – I never really got ridiculed or shunned for being the freak at school. I was never the one that set the gym on fire or did all sorts of idiotic things to keep my secret. No one ever looked at me like I had two heads and didn’t fit in,” she replied sarcastically.
 
Spike shook his head. “That’s different – you could defend yourself. What’s he gonna do, pirouette them to death?”
 
“Spiiike,” Buffy moaned, letting out an exasperated sigh. “He likes it – it’s what he wants to do. And, honestly, being like William … well … he could do worse. I kinda love William.”
 
“Not gonna work this time, Slayer,” Spike retorted. “You can charm William all ya’ want, but I bloody well remember how it was, and it isn’t something I ever want him t’ live through.”
 
Billy really wanted to take that class – almost as much as Annie had. His desire had blossomed after Giles and Olivia had taken all the children to see “Oliver! The Musical,” at the local amateur theatre during Olivia’s last visit to Sunnydale.
 
Buffy sighed and looked back down at the papers strewn over the table as she thought, worrying her bottom lip with her teeth. Finally, a light bulb, which looked strangely like a stage light, lit up over her head. She got up and looked at the schedule … oh yeah, that would work!
 
Buffy turned back and looked at Spike excitedly. “How about this? Billy can take the dance class if he also takes Taekwondo with Dani. Then, if he’s bullied, he can fight back.” Buffy beamed at him, pleased with her solution.

 

Spike looked at her doubtfully. “He really wants t’ take dance?” he asked, half-resigned.
 
“He really does,” Buffy assured him.
 
Spike sighed and gave in. “Alright … fine, do the chopsocky thing too, then.”
 
Buffy silently cheered. She’d been dreading this conversation with her husband, but she’d already told Billy that he could take the class and didn’t want to have to renege on her word. She walked over to Spike and sat across his lap, wrapping her arms around his neck. “I really do love you, William,” she repeated. “Billy could do a lot worse than turn out like you.”
 
“Yeah?” Spike asked, cocking a brow at her as he set his beer down on the table. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against him.
 
“Mmm-hmm,” Buffy assured him with a nod as she lowered her mouth to his.
 
As their lips melted together, Buffy could feel Spike’s desire stirring beneath her bottom. She wriggled gently against his growing hardness and moaned against his mouth with a low, sensuous sound that she hoped conveyed desire. She knew that was what she was supposed to feel, how she was supposed to react; the only problem was – she didn’t, or at least, not like she used to. Ever since the ‘funny feeling’ started, she’d felt guilty and shameful and, well … dirty.   She felt like she was hiding something important from Spike, but, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t remember what it was. Truth be told, not knowing frightened her, but the prospect of Spike finding out her buried secret terrified her even more.
 
Behind Spike’s neck, Buffy dug two fingernails from her right hand into the soft flesh at the base of her left thumb hard enough to draw blood. As the pain shot out from her hand, she sighed against his lips. Pain was the only thing that ever helped.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Wash It All Away (Understanding) by Evanescence on YouTube  }}


You hold the answers deep within your own mind.
Consciously, you've forgotten it.
That's the way the human mind works.
Whenever something is too unpleasant, too shameful for us
to entertain, we reject it.
We erase it from our memories.
But the IMPRINT is always there."

(Can't wash it all away)
(Can't Wish it all away)
(Can't hope it all away)
(Can't cry it all away)

The pain that grips you
The fear that binds you
Releases life in me
In our mutual
Shame we idolize
To blind them from the truth
That finds a way from who we are
Please don't be afraid
When the darkness fades away
The dawn will break the silence
Screaming in our hearts
My love for you still grows
This I do for you
Before I try to fight the truth
my final time

"We're supposed to try and be real.
When you feel alone, you're not together. And that is real."

Can't wash it all away
Can't wish it all away
Can't cry it all away
Can't scratch it all away

Lying beside you
Listening to you breathe
The life that flows inside of you
Burns inside of me
Hold and speak to me
Of love without a sound
Tell me you will live through this
And I will die for you
Cast me not away
Say you'll be with me
For I know I cannot
Bear it all alone

"You're not alone, are you?"
"Never... Never."

Can't fight it all away
Can't hope it all away
Can't scream it all away
It just won't fade away, No

Can't wash it all away
Can't wish it all away
Can't cry it all away
Can't scratch it all away

(Can't fight it all away)
(Can't hope it all away)
Can't scream it all away
Ooh, it all away
Ooh, it all away

"But the imprint is always there. Nothing is ever really forgotten."
"Please don't hate me.
Cause I'd die if you do.
Cause I'd die if you do.
Cause I'd die if you do.
Cause I'd die if you d

End Notes:
Continued in next chapter. Chapter was pretty long, so I divided it. Can Buffy get to the bottom of her 'funny feeling' before it gets worse? Does she really want to know what's causing it? It looks like everything and everyone but her is fine. What did Gift-less!Spike do?
Wash It All Away, Part 2 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Continued from previous chapter ... Has Buffy gotten better or worse with the passage of time?
**
Thanks to YOU for reading and leaving feedback!! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
(A month later) Just after sunset, Monday, July 4th, 2011, Independence Day. Willow and Tara’s house.

 
“Oooooo!”
 
“Aaaaaa!”
 
“Preeetty!”
 
“Ooooooo! Look!”
 
Buffy nuzzled against Spike’s neck as she sat in his lap in an Adirondack chair on Willow and Tara’s dock. Fireworks exploded over the lake behind the witches’ house in a dizzying display of color and sound. Spike wrapped his arms around her tighter as they watched Annie, Dani, Billy, and JJ, who all sat in a row on the edge of the dock. Tan faces, tinged with pink from playing in the sun and water all day, were turned skyward. They waited impatiently, toes dangling in the cool water below them, for the next explosion and volley of brilliant light to paint the dark canvas of the sky.


 
Suddenly, there was a loud splash and one of the children – it was hard to immediately tell which one – shrieked as if a shark had lurched up from the clear water and attacked them.
 
JJ had kicked water on Annie, surprising her with a spray of the chilly, mountain lake water, soaking her. Annie retaliated, her longer legs dipping even deeper in the clear water, and drenched JJ from head to toe. Then, all hell broke loose. Dani and Billy joined in and, before any of the adults could even attempt to stop them, all the children were in the shallow water at the edge of the dock, splashing each other, screaming and laughing gleefully. They only stopped momentarily to look up when the sky lit up again, giving the fireworks another appreciative ‘Ooooo!’ before resuming their battle.
 
Buffy sighed and shook her head, glad that nine-month-old MacKenzie was safe in a playpen at their side and out of the line of fire. Willow, Tara, and Eddie, who was now sixteen months old and toddling along pretty handily on his short, chubby legs, had gone to the house just a minute ago. The witches had forgotten to bring the makings for the S'mores, which would be roasted after the fireworks display ended, and had gone to retrieve the treats.
 
“Well, look on the bright side, luv. You could toss ‘em a bar of soap and not ‘ave to worry about baths t’ night,” Spike offered. “You could probably do with a bath, yourself,” he added with a sly grin.
 
“Oh no!” Buffy objected immediately as he gathered her in his arms and began to stand up.
 
“No! No, no, no!” Buffy yelled as she wiggled like a worm about to be put on a hook, trying to get away from him.
 
Spike crossed the distance between where they sat and the end of the dock in just a few long strides and tossed his wife over the heads of the children and into the deeper water beyond them.
 
Buffy’s shriek was drowned, literally, when she went under the water, but resumed a second later when she pushed herself up to standing. She looked, and felt, like a drowned rat. “GET HIM!” she screamed at the kids, pointing at Spike.

 

Spike was doubled over, laughing heartily, and utterly defenseless. So engrossed was he in his mirth, that he didn’t react quickly enough and, before he knew it, lake water was raining down on him in torrents. The children, along with Buffy, were splashing buckets of the cool liquid up at him. He started to curse and back up, but before he could get far, his adversaries scrambled back up onto the dock and surrounded him. With Buffy in front of him, tugging on his arms, and the children at his back pushing, they forced him towards the far edge of the dock.
 
Spike fought back only half-heartedly as the children laughed and pushed with all their strength in an effort to dunk their father/uncle in the cool water. He’d swum with them earlier in the day, but was now dressed in his jeans and t-shirt. He hadn’t actually planned on going back in, but, he thought wryly, he shouldn’t really be surprised – his plans rarely worked as planned.
 
Spike made sure to pull them all in with him as he went off the end of the dock and into the refreshing water. The children squealed in victory when he went off the dock – right up until they hit the water, then it was more of a gurgling sound. His head didn’t actually go under the water and the children, along with Buffy, descended on him like a pack … uhhh … school of piranha, trying to drag him down.
 
By the time Willow, Tara, and Eddie returned with the makings for the S’mores, including marshmallows and long, sharp implements for roasting them over the fire-pit, the whole scene had disintegrated into pandemonium. Spike tossed his attackers away, sending them flying out into the deeper water, one after another. They would swim back and try again, only to be tossed away again between peals of laughter and squeals of delight. On and on it went until the humans were gasping for breath – exhausted from their effort and hilarity. Spike never did get completely dunked under, although he was thoroughly soaked from head to toe.

 

As the grand finale burst into a colorful montage of sparkling light above them, everyone stopped and looked up – everyone but Spike. He looked at the wet, dripping faces around him. Wide, bright eyes and giddy smiles gazed up at the display. A kaleidoscope of colors from the fireworks painted their damp skin and the water around them in a dazzling reflection of the show going on above. They were all perfect. His heart swelled with pride and adoration at the sight of them. He wanted to burn this image of his family in his mind and remember it for all eternity.

When he looked at Buffy, she met his gaze and gave him a smile before drifting over to him and wrapping her arms around his neck.
 
“Mr. Weckerly, have you ever been kissed under a fireworks display, dripping wet, while standing waist-deep in a lake?” she asked with mock solemnity, as if she were a reporter asking a serious policy question of a presidential candidate. Her eyes sparkled with the bright lights above them … and with a little evil glee, as well.
 
“Can’t say as I have, Mrs. Weckerly,” Spike replied before dropping his mouth to hers. He pulled her wet body against his, lifting her up slightly as the kiss deepened and their lips melted together. Only when the booming of the fireworks fell silent and everyone up and down the large lake cheered and began clapping, did they break the kiss.
 
“Love you, Buffy,” he whispered to her, giving her a hard squeeze before releasing his hold.
 
“Love you too, Spike.” She smiled at him before taking his hand, and the two of them followed the children out of the water and over to the fire pit for the night-cap of roasted marshmallows and S’mores.
 
**~**
 

While the kids sat in the thick grass of the witches’ large, backyard oasis devouring their messy treats and debating the merits of flambéed versus browned marshmallows, the adults sat around a table on a stone patio not far from the fire-pit. Willow had also brought out a carafe of iced coffee spiked with Kahlúa and lots of cream, which went surprisingly well with the chocolate desserts.

 

Spike watched Buffy as she talked animatedly with their hosts. He hadn’t seen her so relaxed and jovial since he, Bess, and Angel had gotten back from their mission to retrieve a downed nuclear submarine at the bequest of the FBI. The crew of the sub had been killed when the uranium core had unexpectedly, and quite inexorably, began leaking radiation. It was a gruesome sight inside the vessel, even from a vampire’s point of view, and the rescue of the sub was a bit tricky to pull off. But, in the end, they had been able to contain the leak and link the sub’s navigation system up with the Navy ship at the surface so it could be brought back to port via remote control.
 
They were still waiting on the money for that mission. Apparently it was alright for the government to take their time paying bills, unlike normal, everyday people. Who was going to foreclose on the FBI? What would you even repossess? The J. Edgar Hoover building? A fleet of black sedans with dark, tinted windows?
 
There was also the matter of a retainer contract with the Council that still needed to be signed. Everyone on the CGC had approved it except for Buffy, who had yet to even look at it.
 
When the three vamps had gotten back from the mission a couple of days later, Bess and Angel still had severe radiation burns on their faces, hands, and arms. Buffy had freaked out. She insisted on applying healing balms and tinctures to their wounds, despite knowing that vampires couldn’t get infections. She’d checked Spike’s body thoroughly for burns, but all his had healed via the magic of the Gem of Amarra.
 
Typically, Spike would’ve enjoyed such an inspection, but this was just … strange. Buffy had been panic-stricken and she couldn’t even explain to him why. After showing her that he was fine, she’d broken down into tears and didn’t calm down for quite some time. He’d held her and comforted her and tried to get her to tell him what was wrong, but she’d said she didn’t really know, just that she had a horrible feeling that she couldn’t quite shake.
 
Since then, things had only gotten worse.
 
Spike watched his wife now with hope that she’d turned a corner. He hoped whatever had been haunting her over the last couple of months had passed. As Spike watched, she broke off small pieces of graham cracker from the S’more that sat on a paper plate in front of her and handed them to MacKenzie, whom Buffy was holding on her lap. Buffy would also take nibbles of the sweet cracker, but she avoided the chocolate and marshmallow as much as possible. Buffy sipped at the spiked, iced coffee as she talked and joked with Willow and Tara. To the casual observer, she seemed fine. Spike knew better.
 
The ‘baby weight’ around her middle that she’d gained with the twins, and had finally made peace with, was gone from her body now. Everyone told her how wonderful she looked and asked how she’d finally lost the weight. Buffy always just shrugged the question off, but Spike knew the answer was that she barely ate anything anymore. Just like she was acting like she was eating the treat in front of her now, but not really consuming much of it at all. She’d been doing that for weeks. It worried him and he tried to talk to her about it, but she brushed him off, saying she just wasn’t hungry.
 
Now, sitting here at the table, she leaned back against the chair and Spike saw a small wince cross her face before she brought the smile back up to hide it. Spike frowned, remembering the welts on her back – welts that he had put there just the previous night. That was another thing that had changed in Buffy since the FBI mission: playful, light sex games weren’t enough for her any longer. Over the weeks, she’d needed more and more violence and pain to reach climax when they made love. No – scratch that. They didn’t ‘make love’ anymore – they had sex, they screwed, they fucked, they copulated, but they didn’t ‘make love’. Gentle love-making and soft words of adoration did nothing for her anymore. She wanted rough talk and rough treatment, and nothing less would do.
 
Spike had gone along at first, but, as she got more and more demanding, he’d balked.

 

“Whip me!” Buffy had demanded one night, handing him a cat of nine tails that he’d never seen before. She turned around on all fours on the bed, offering her ass and back to him, and waited.
 
Spike took it from her and smacked her bare rump with it – just barely hard enough to bring a pink tinge to her cheek.
 
“No – harder!” Buffy had instructed him, wriggling her ass back towards him.
 
Spike accommodated her, smacking the leather down a little harder on the other cheek.
 
“More! C’mon, Spike … whip me. I’ve been a veerry bad girl,” she purred. “Tell me what a dirty whore I am and beat me for it.”
 
Spike sighed and tossed the device down onto the bed. “Buffy,” he moaned. “I don’t think …”
 
“C’mon, Spike. It’s not like you haven’t hit me before! I’m the Slayer … not Tinker Bell, for Christ’s sake! And it’s not like you haven’t called me a whore before, either,” she pointed out, looking back at him over her shoulder.
 
Spike winced visibly, as if he’d been slapped. It was true, in the heat of anger he had called her a whore before – once. He'd thought she was sleeping with the newly returned Angel. She’d lied to Spike about his grand-sire being back from under the waves and she’d kept the vamp hidden in the basement of the high school. Spike had felt betrayed, and had been furious with her. Even as enraged as he was, he’d regretted calling her that almost as soon as it tumbled out of his mouth.
 
“No,” he stated flatly. “I’m sorry, Buffy, but … this is goin’ too far, luv. This isn’t just messin’ around anymore. I love dirty talk just as much as you, and Slutty-Slayer’s one o' your best looks, but this … it’s different, pet. This isn’t … you.”
 
Buffy growled … literally, growled at him, and swung around to face him. “What’d you do, join the Moral Majority when I wasn’t looking? You can’t tell me you haven’t done this before, Spike! Christ, what the hell kind of vampire are you, anyway?”
 
Spike pursed his lips together angrily, got up off the bed, and began tugging his jeans on. “I’m not gonna flog you. I’m not going to call you …” he stopped and clenched his jaw in anger. “I’m just not gonna do it.”

 

Buffy sat on the bed and glared at him with undisguised anger. “Fine,” she spat. “You can just sleep somewhere else then.” She picked his pillow up and flung it at him with all her strength. If it had been anything heavier, it would've knocked him down.
 
“Fine,” he snarled, snatching the pillow out of the air with one hand before he turned on his heel and left their bedroom, slamming the door behind him.
 
“Fine,” Buffy hissed after him.
 
The next morning, when Spike came into their room to retrieve his boots and a t-shirt, he found Buffy laying face down, wrapped in a tangle of blood-soaked sheets. For a moment, Spike thought she was dead. His stomach quailed and lurched as he rushed towards her. “Buffy!”
 
He turned her over gently and she opened her eyes just enough to see and looked up at him. his relief was palpable. “Buffy, luv …what the bloody hell happened?” he asked as he took in the scene.

 

As he looked around, he'd realized that she’d used a stake and scratched long, jagged gouges in the flesh of her arms and legs, her abdomen, her chest, and even parts of her back that she could reach. She’d been caked in blood – some dried and brown, some still fresh and scarlet. The previously white sheets were red-brown with it, and he’d later find that there had been so much that it had soaked through the sheets, mattress pad, and all the way into the mattress itself.
 
Buffy had given him a weak, crooked smile. She’d reached a shaking, blood-soaked hand up and touched his face. “It’s ok, baby … I took care of it. I punished the dirty whore for you,” she’d breathed, before her eyes fluttered closed again.
 
“Bloody hell…” Spike had intoned with dismay, shaking his head in disbelief.
 
From that day forward, he’d done as she asked. He was sure if he refused, what she would do to herself would be worse than anything he’d do. He’d also called Tara for advice:
 
“It sounds like something happened to her when you guys went on that mission,” Tara observed after listening to his story.
 
“I sussed that out m’self,” Spike snarked back, frustrated. “But, I’ve talked t’ Faith, Rupert, the Harris’ … even the Niblett. They all say the same thing: nothing unusual happened except for the Niblett falling off the cart at the Green Grocer and needin’ twenty stitches in her arm to patch it up.”
 
“What does Buffy say?” Tara wondered.
 
“Not a bloody word. Says she’s fine, but she’s not eating right, she barely sleeps, she’s … distant and clingy all at once. She kept the bits home from school for a full week ‘cos she didn’t want to let them outta her sight. It wasn’t until the principal called and said that they were falling behind and missin’ important assignments that she finally let them go back.
 
“We went to the beach one Saturday. As soon as we got there, she went completely crackers.  Refused to let the bits go near water. Made such a scene we had t’ leave not half an hour after gettin’ there. Said the ocean wasn’t safe – there were things in it – under the surface. I told ‘er, ‘yeah – bloody fish’, but she was …” Spike sighed and shook his head. “She wouldn’t ‘ear of it.
 
“She’s gotten more and more masochistic, and now … this.”
 
Tara sighed. “Spike, I can talk to her, but, honestly, if she won’t tell you, she’s not gonna tell me. I can prescribe some anti-depressants …”
 
“No – she won’t take ‘em,” Spike interrupted her, knowing how Buffy was about taking anything like that. Ever since the Wish World she’d been almost paranoid about taking any kind of pills.
 
“What about the bond?” Tara suggested. “Can you … ya know, poke around in there?”
 
Spike sighed and rubbed his eyes. “I can only see what she’ll show me and she ain’t showin’ anything of late.”
 
“What about in dreams? Dreams can be very telling,” Tara continued.
 
Spike shook his head. “She barely sleeps. When she does, she won’t even let me in ‘er dreams at all if I don’t talk like William, look like a ponce, and call ‘er ‘Avengelyne’,” he admitted to the white witch. “Even then, the dreams are limited to … well … It’s bloody strange, but all she wants to dream about seems to be livin’ with William and the bits back in London – back in the nineteenth century. I’ve tried suggesting some other things. She used to love going to the beach in our dreams – I thought, ya know, it would get her over this new fear, but she won’t ‘ear of it – unless it’s Brighton Beach and everyone’s dressed in soddin’ wool swimsuits.”
 
**~**
 
Now, from across the table, Tara watched Spike as he watched Buffy. Buffy had seemed perfectly fine to Tara the last three days that she and Spike and the kids had been here for their annual Fourth of July visit. Tara did notice that Buffy wasn’t eating much, but she was eating. The Slayer had definitely lost weight and was easily down to what she’d weighed when Tara had first met her. Tara thought about that a minute and decided that was not really a positive. The first time Tara met her, Buffy had just been brought back from the dead. Tara had also noticed that Buffy hadn’t worn her normal skimpy swimsuit this weekend. The Slayer had a one-piece suit with a tank-top, which completely covered her torso, back and front, and boy’s-cut bottoms. Buffy had also kept an oversized t-shirt on over that, saying that she didn’t want to get too much sun. Since when had the consummate California girl worried about getting too much sun?
 
Tara turned her attention back to Buffy as Willow continued talking. “Oh! I almost forgot to tell you,” Willow was saying, looking at Buffy. “Anya called and said they need you to sign off on that FBI contract by tomorrow or let them know what needs to be changed.”
 
Buffy stiffened visibly, then forced a grim-looking smile back to her lips. She took the glass of iced coffee and Kahlúa and downed it in two swift gulps, then poured herself another. “Sure,” she agreed, taking another long swig of the new drink.

 

“It sounds like a really good deal for the Council,” Tara piped up, trying to sound positive and act oblivious to Buffy’s discomfort.
 
“Yeah,” Buffy agreed, downing the rest of the drink and pouring yet another.
 
“And you guys, too, I guess, right? What did you guys get for that mission, Spike?” Tara asked brightly.
 
“Ain’t got a plug nickel yet,” he groused. “Supposed to be a million … each. The Benjamins are in the mail, I reckon.”
 
Buffy stood up abruptly. “I have to change the baby,” she offered as her excuse and headed for the house, walking fast.
 
Spike looked at Tara and cocked a Spock-like brow at her. She shook her head and looked after Buffy’s rapidly retreating form. Obviously, things were not ‘fine’.
 
**~**
 
Inside the house, Buffy changed the baby’s unsoiled diaper, then laid her down in the crib they’d brought with them. Buffy went into the guest bathroom and splashed cool water on her face. She stood there, leaning on the counter heavily, her head hung down in despair.
 
She wished she could figure out what was wrong with her. Ever since that FBI mission, she’d felt … God, it was almost impossible to even pinpoint what she felt and it was completely impossible to verbalize it. Buffy felt like she was either on the verge of a panic attack or an emotional meltdown nearly all the time. There was something boiling just below the surface that she couldn’t touch, couldn’t see, couldn’t even describe; she could only feel it. It filled her with unexplainable guilt, remorse, and fear. The strangest things set her off: the beach, the mention of the FBI, even watching Annie’s dance recital sent her heart skittering and reduced her to tears. She felt like she might lose control at any moment, and she was never sure if she’d be able to rein herself back in when it happened.
 
She wanted desperately to tell Spike about it, maybe even let him in enough so he could feel it too, but anytime she’d come close to doing that, she was filled with absolute terror. She felt sure that whatever demon was lurking in the dark of her soul and controlling her, was something that would turn Spike against her. He would hate her if he saw it; of that, she was certain. It was about the only thing she was certain of.
 
The only thing that made her feel marginally better was pain. It was best when Spike inflicted it, but self-inflicted pain gave her a sense of calm and control that she couldn’t achieve any other way. She pulled a small Swiss Army knife out of the pocket of her damp shorts and opened it. The thin blade gleamed in the light from above the mirror. Buffy swallowed hard and lifted her shirt, then sliced her stomach, left to right, with a long, smooth stroke of the sharp blade. She shuddered slightly when the metal invaded her and the pain began. A renewed sense of calm came over her as she continued, inflicting several shallow slices on her abdomen before dropping the bloody knife in the sink.

 

She breathed deeply, reveling in the feeling that came over her of finally being in control again. The feelings of guilt and of being on the verge of a complete meltdown faded to the background and she let out a long, relieved breath. She rinsed the knife off, folded it back up, and stuffed it back in her pocket. She wiped the dripping blood off her skin and pulled her shirt back down over the new wounds. The cuts weren’t deep; they’d heal quickly enough – soon enough that she could do it again in a few hours. Buffy washed her face again, then retrieved MacKenzie, and headed back outside to join the others.

“Feel like a walk, pet?” Spike asked when she returned.
 
Buffy looked at the kids. Their treats were long gone. They were now engrossed in trying to catch fireflies in a couple of jars. “I don’t know …” she began hesitantly, chewing her bottom lip nervously.

 

“They’ll be fine,” Willow offered. “We’ll stay out and keep an eye on them.”
 
Spike stood up and took the baby from Buffy’s arms and handed the redhead to Tara. “C’mon then – let’s go see what’s at the top o’ that hill,” he suggested, pointing to a wooded hill that rose up on the other side of the street from Willow and Tara’s house.
 
Buffy looked up there and frowned. “It’s too dark to climb that tonight,” she protested. “And the kids would probably like to go…”
 
“Let’s go, Slayer,” Spike demanded, cutting her words off as he pulled her by the hand and started dragging her away.
 
“It might be private property,” she continued to object as she stomped heavily behind him. “We could get shot for trespassing.”
 
“It’s not; we won’t,” he assured her as they moved away from the others.
 
Buffy turned her head and looked back at the children. “But … what if the kids need us and we aren’t here?”
 
“Got m’ cell phone,” he countered as he continued to pull her along. “Plus – got two bloody powerful women right there watchin’ ‘em.”
 
Buffy felt panic swelling in her as they moved away from the kids. She had a desperate need to pull her knife out and make a few slices in her flesh to calm down. She knew Spike would freak out if he realized she was still doing that and just how often she did it.
 
After that first time when she’d used the stake, he’d only caught her with the knife once. She’d told him she wouldn’t do it again. Since then, she’d been careful to re-slice the same lines each time so she didn’t make new marks. She also always made sure to leave enough time between cutting and any chance of him seeing her naked for them to heal over. At first, she thought he might notice that her scars never faded, but he never said anything about it.
 
Buffy’s panic rose further – what if he wanted to have sex up on the hill? It hadn’t been enough time for the slices to heal – he’d know for sure.
 
“You know, I’m really not feeling very well,” Buffy tried, laying a hand on her stomach. “I think I drank too much of that coffee.”
 
“Well, you can toss your cookies up ‘ere in the woods just as well as back there in the yard, pet,” Spike dismissed her objection as they crossed the road and started up the hill.
 
Fuck! Buffy cursed silently. She was starting to sweat, even though the night wasn’t that warm, and her breathing was shallow and labored. She could feel her heart racing in her chest and was afraid Spike would notice. He didn’t seem to realize anything was wrong as he kept trudging ahead, pulling her behind him. He blazed a path in the sparse underbrush near the road until he found a narrow trail.
 
She suddenly realized that Spike had been talking. She hadn’t heard anything that he’d said except for, “Whaddya think?”
 
“Uhhh … whatever you think is fine,” Buffy hedged.
 
She sighed in relief when he shrugged and turned to the right. She could just make out a fork in the narrow trail they’d been following as she walked behind him. He must’ve just asked her which way she thought they should go.
 
The trail wound around through an evergreen forest. Buffy followed Spike in silence. He’d finally let go of her hand as he walked ahead of her in the dark, just assuming that she would now follow him. She wished she’d thought to bring a flashlight with her; it would be hard for her to follow this trail in the dark without her vampire guide. Probably the point, she thought, rolling her eyes.
 
At the crest of the hill, the trees gave way to a meadow. Spike led her to an overlook that had a lovely view of Willow and Tara’s house as well as the large lake and the other houses that dotted its shoreline. They could just barely see the fire pit in the backyard of the witches’ house. Once in a while a dark figure would pass across it – one of the children, probably in pursuit of fireflies.

 

“Pretty,” Buffy agreed. “Let’s go back,” she suggested immediately.
 
“Let’s not,” Spike countered, as he turned to face her. “Where is it?” he asked, as he reached out and began pulling at her shirt.
 
Buffy pushed his hands away and backed up. “Where’s what?”
 
“I’m not bloody daft, Buffy – I could smell the fresh blood when you came out of the house. You’re still cutting yourself – on your stomach, yeah?”
 
“I’m not …” she began to deny it, but stopped when he cocked a skeptical brow at her. “It’s nothing,” she amended. “It’s no big deal.”
 
“It is a bloody big deal!” Spike asserted, stepping forward towards her. “It’s not right. It’s not healthy. On top of which, you promised you’d stop.”

 

“It’s nothing,” Buffy insisted again, her voice low and threatening. “And I did not promise; I just said I wouldn’t do it. I never promised.” She wrapped her arms around her torso and began stomping back the way they’d come. “I want to go back.”
 
Spike sprinted around her and blocked her path. “No. We’re talking about this here and now.”
 
“There’s nothing to talk about,” Buffy snarled at him, taking a step to the side and continuing her trek back towards the trail.
 
Spike grabbed her arm when she tried to pass him and he spun her around. “There bloody well is something to talk about. Tell me, Slayer! Tell me what the fuck is going on with you.”
 
Buffy jerked her arm free of his grip. “Nothing is going on with me!” she insisted again, then she began running across the open ground in the direction they’d come from.
 
She found the trailhead and followed it by the light of the moon until the canopy of trees got too thick, leaving nothing but pitch black around her. She couldn’t tell which way the trail went – she couldn’t see it at all; she could barely see the tree trunks. She heard Spike coming behind her and she just started running downhill. He couldn’t find out what was wrong with her. She didn’t even know what it was, but she knew that, above all, he could not find out. He would hate her. He would leave her. And somehow she knew that she would deserve that.
 
Buffy stumbled and fell several times, but picked herself up and continued her downward trajectory. She came to a steep drop-off and caught herself just in time before she tumbled over it. Spike’s boots cracked through the forest behind her – he was getting closer. She jumped off the ledge, but couldn’t catch her balance when she hit the steep incline several feet below. She rolled, head over heels, down the hill, unable to stop her plummet. Branches and rocks scratched and grabbed at her as she tumbled down until finally she came to rest against the trunk of a tree. The air went out of her lungs when she hit it, and she lay there for a long time, trying to get her breath back.
 
Suddenly, Spike was there, standing over her. She hadn’t even heard him walk up. It was as if he’d flown or teleported and was just there.
 
“You can’t run from this, Buffy!” he informed her, jerking her up by her shoulders. He pushed her back against the tree trunk that had stopped her fall and held her firm. “Tell me what happened when I was gone,” he demanded angrily.
 
“Nothing,” Buffy answered truthfully if not accurately. She knew something happened, she just didn’t know what it was. She couldn’t remember. It was just a feeling.
 
“Balls!” Spike growled, shaking her. Her head banged back against the tree and for a moment stars flashed behind her lids.
 
With each shake, the back of Buffy’s head thunked against the hard bark of the pine tree behind her. She moaned and didn’t fight Spike at all, letting her head pound against the tree repeatedly. Each rap of her head against the wood echoed through the dark forest, sounding like someone thumping a watermelon in the grocery store to see if it was ripe.
 
When she moaned, Spike flinched, realizing that she was enjoying the pain he was inflicting. It was exactly what she wanted him to do – hurt her. As the realization hit him, he stopped shaking her, but continued to hold her firm, trapping her against the tree. “Who was it? I know it wasn’t Peaches – he was with us. Harris then? Or was it one o’ those FBI gits – that why you fall to pieces every time anyone mentions them?”
 
Buffy’s eyes flashed open wide and she shook her head in denial. “What?! No! No … Spike, I swear on our children’s lives – I would never!”
 
“Then tell me what the fuck happened, Buffy. What the bloody hell is wrong with you?” he demanded again.
 
Buffy closed her eyes and shook her head. Her whole body went limp in his grip, suddenly unable to fight any longer. “I don’t know,” she whispered at last. “I just don’t know.”
 
Spike studied her in the dark. She looked utterly defeated and her voice sounded hollow. He suddenly regretted pushing her this far, but he had to do something. “Buffy,” he began softly, “I love you. Please let me help you. Please let me in.”
 
Buffy choked back a sob, but couldn’t stop the tears from gathering behind her closed lids. She blinked her eyes open. The dampness spilled out and trailed slowly down her cheeks as rivers of fear. “I’m afraid,” she admitted. “Spike – I’m so afraid.”
 
Spike couldn’t help but think that her voice sounded like that of a small child. There was no doubt that she was terrified. “What are you afraid of, pet?”

 

Buffy swallowed hard and met his gaze. A single shaft of moonlight stabbed through the canopy above them and gave just enough light for her to see the worry in his eyes. Somehow seeing them made this harder. “Losing you,” she murmured, lowering her gaze.
 
Spike furrowed his brows and shook his head in confusion. “Buffy, I. Love. You,” he stated emphatically, shaking her lightly to make her look back up at him. “Whatever it is, we can work it out, pet. You just haveta tell me. It’s sending me ‘round the bloody bend not knowing what’s wrong – not knowing how to help you.
 
“Don’t you remember?” he continued. “‘Sickness and health, good times and bad, joy and sorrow?’ Buffy, I promised to love you unconditionally, and I do. But I can’t go on watching you destroy yourself. You’re all that I have, pet – just give me a chance to help you.”
 
Buffy wiped her eyes and nose with the back of her hand and sniffled back her tears. “Spike, I don’t know what it is. Honest to God, I don’t know. Something … something must’ve happened, but I don’t remember. It’s just …” She paused and closed her eyes, taking several deep breaths to try and calm down so she could get the words out. “It’s just a feeling – a feeling like …” Buffy bit her bottom lip and willed the tears to not fall. They didn’t obey. “I feel like whatever happened, you’re gonna hate me for it and … I can’t … I’m so afraid.”
 
“Buffy, I could never, never hate you,” he assured her.
 
Buffy snorted her disagreement. “You’ve hated me before.”
 
Spike shook his head. “No – I’ve never hated you. I’ve been annoyed with you, cross with you, mad as hell with you. I’ve wanted to throttle you several times, and there was once or twice I desperately wanted to kill you, but I’ve never hated you.”

 

Buffy allowed a small laugh to escape her throat as she leaned into him. Spike wrapped his arms around her and closed his eyes as he dropped a gentle kiss into her wildly tousled mane of gold. She felt so fragile in his arms, like she would break with the slightest pressure. What had happened to turn his strong, stubborn Slayer into such a terrorized woman who found solace only in punishment and pain?
 
He felt a tightening in his gut, as if her terror had somehow seeped into him via osmosis. He was suddenly afraid that he was going to find out the answer to his question. The warning: ‘Be careful what you wish for’ rang in his mind, but he pushed it away. Whatever it was, they could handle it. They had to handle it. There was no one else that could drive him as stark, raving mad as this woman could. If that wasn’t the definition of a soul-mate, of true love, then he didn’t know what was.

**~**



{{ Click here to hear Wash It All Away (Understanding) by Evanescence on YouTube }}



You hold the answers deep within your own mind.
Consciously, you've forgotten it.
That's the way the human mind works.
Whenever something is too unpleasant, too shameful for us
to entertain, we reject it.
We erase it from our memories.
But the IMPRINT is always there."

(Can't wash it all away)
(Can't Wish it all away)
(Can't hope it all away)
(Can't cry it all away)

The pain that grips you
The fear that binds you
Releases life in me
In our mutual
Shame we idolize
To blind them from the truth
That finds a way from who we are
Please don't be afraid
When the darkness fades away
The dawn will break the silence
Screaming in our hearts
My love for you still grows
This I do for you
Before I try to fight the truth
my final time

"We're supposed to try and be real.
When you feel alone, you're not together. And that is real."

Can't wash it all away
Can't wish it all away
Can't cry it all away
Can't scratch it all away

Lying beside you
Listening to you breathe
The life that flows inside of you
Burns inside of me
Hold and speak to me
Of love without a sound
Tell me you will live through this
And I will die for you
Cast me not away
Say you'll be with me
For I know I cannot
Bear it all alone

"You're not alone, are you?"
"Never... Never."

Can't fight it all away
Can't hope it all away
Can't scream it all away
It just won't fade away, No

Can't wash it all away
Can't wish it all away
Can't cry it all away
Can't scratch it all away

(Can't fight it all away)
(Can't hope it all away)
Can't scream it all away
Ooh, it all away
Ooh, it all away

"But the imprint is always there. Nothing is ever really forgotten."
"Please don't hate me.
Cause I'd die if you do.
Cause I'd die if you do.
Cause I'd die if you do.
Cause I'd die if you do.

End Notes:
Things have obviously changed, history's been reset. What did Gift-less!Spike do to change things? Can our Spike help Buffy with her 'funny feeling'? Why does she have this residual fog clouding her emotions but no one else does? Will Spike find out what happened to her? Will her worst fears be realized if he does? Can he forgive her for her transgressions and failure to protect their first-born? More to come ...
Fix You by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike takes a trip into Buffy’s mind to try and find the cause of her distress and self-destructive behavior. Will he be able to find what happened to her? Will she let him see? Will he be able to fix her? Will he forgive her?
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for the song suggestion (awesome song!), betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Late night, Monday, July 4th, 2011 – July 5th, Willow and Tara’s back yard.
 
Buffy had stalled as long as she could, putting Spike off with excuse after excuse. But now, with the older kids tucked away in a couple of tents in the backyard  and MacKenzie sleeping in her portable crib in Eddie’s room, Buffy really had no more cards to play.
 
Spike took her hand and dragged her away from her latest ‘busy work’ of straightening up the chairs around the fire pit and the patio. Buffy started to protest. She wanted to insist the chairs be put back as they had been before the kids had gotten hold of them and strewn them about, but she knew it was no use. She suddenly understood the saying, ‘rearranging chairs on a sinking ship’. She was standing on the bow of the Titanic and no one was going to save her.
 
As Spike led her by the hand towards their own backyard tent, she felt like a prisoner being brought out to face a firing squad. She was literally that frightened of whatever Spike might find within her. The only thing keeping her from pulling free and fleeing was the small hope that he wouldn’t be able to find the cause of her distress anymore than she’d been able to. On top of which, she reasoned, if she didn’t let him in, she would surely lose him anyway. How long did she expect him to put up her acting like a maniac … a complete crazy woman? She felt, quite literally, damned if she did, and damned if she didn’t.
 
Spike pulled her inside their tent, which was set a bit apart from the kids’ tents, and zipped the flap closed. Buffy just stood in the center of their polyester room and waited while Spiked turned on a small, battery-powered lantern. It was barely more than a nightlight, really – you could see just enough to get into your sleeping bag.

 

When that was on, he turned around and faced her. Buffy began absently scratching at her arms with her fingernails, drawing blood.
 
Spike closed the small space between them and grabbed her hands. “Stop. Stop hurting yourself.” It was a command, but said in such a way that made Buffy suddenly ashamed of herself.
 
She nodded and pulled her hands away from his grip, wrapping them around her torso as if she were freezing. “Maybe … maybe we … maybe this isn’t such a good idea,” she finally stammered out, unable to meet his eyes.
 
“Buffy, I don’t know how else to say it: there is nothing you could do to make me hate you. But this …” He pulled one of her scratched and bleeding arms away from her body and held it out. “…this bloody well has to end.”
 
Buffy pulled her top lip into her mouth and held it between her teeth as she tried to keep her chin from quivering with fear. If she opened up and he found the cause of her craziness … She shuddered at the thought.
 
Spike took hold of her shoulders and dipped his head down until he could look into her down-turned eyes. “Do you trust me?”

 

Buffy released her lip from the grip of her teeth and licked her lips nervously. She nodded slowly, blinking back tears.
 
“Then there’s nothing to worry about, yeah?”
 
Buffy gave him a nervous smile and nodded slightly. “No worries,” she murmured past the lump in her throat.
 
Spike nodded and stepped over to the blow-up mattress tucked against one wall of the tent and the sleeping bag that lay atop it. He pulled her with him as he sat down on their bed. Buffy was beyond objections now – he wasn’t going to let it go. No amount of arguing was going to stop this now. If she didn’t let him in, sooner or later, she’d lose him; if she did let him in … She didn’t want to think about what he might find in there. She prayed that he wouldn’t be able to find anything; just as she could only get the feeling of it, perhaps that was all there was. Maybe the actual memory of whatever she’d done was completely gone and all that remained was the feeling.
 
Buffy took a deep breath and lay down on the soft air mattress. She lay on her side facing Spike and he lay down next to her, also on his side, facing her.
 
“I love you, Buffy. Just let me help you – that’s all I want, pet,” he assured her as he ran a hand gently down the side of her head, caressing her hair and then her cheek.
 
Buffy breathed in a deep breath, trying to still her fear, and nodded. “I know … I’m just … Spike, please. Maybe I can stop. I’ll try harder … I’ll … I’ll take pills. Maybe there are some pills…” she began in a last-ditch, panic-stricken effort to stop this.

 

Spike pursed his lips and shook his head as it lay on his pillow. “No, pet. You don’t want that and I don’t want that. We just need to work through this together. Trust me, Buffy.”
 
Buffy closed her eyes and nodded in resignation. She could feel him pushing on the bond, trying to connect with her mind – she instinctively resisted it.
 
“Let me in, luv,” he murmured aloud.
 
Buffy held her breath and steeled her nerves. After a few moments, the pliable, spiritual ‘door’ that kept him out split and then peeled back. She could feel him push through the barrier, and the image of the alien bursting out of Kane’s chest in ‘Alien’ washed through her mind.
 
“Trust me, pet,” Spike assured her, seeing the image flash in front of his own eyes as well. “I won’t attach m’self to your face unless ya want me to.”
 
Buffy actually laughed slightly, but it was more of a nervous laugh than humorous.
 
Spike felt like he was pushing through heavy-duty plastic wrap – pliable but strong. The more he pushed, the more it stretched, but wouldn’t tear, wouldn’t open. For a minute, he didn’t think she was gonna let him in, but finally the resistance gave way and he felt his consciousness flow into hers.

Normally, they didn’t connect this way with the bond. Typically, they'd ‘send’ feelings or messages to the other, or they'd meet on the fringes of their subconscious minds in dreams. As a rule, one person doesn’t actually ‘invade’ the mind of the other. Buffy had done it with him one time when Dru had put him in a thrall. He'd thought that they were both gonna die that time fighting the effects of Dru’s spell, but together they had found a way to break Spike’s sire’s hold on him. Buffy had also done it when Spike had been haunted and terrorized by the plethora of victims he’d amassed during his century as a vampire. She’d helped him face his ghosts and find peace with them. Spike had never been inside Buffy’s mind like this before now.
 
The first thing he encountered was a room that was both dark and bright at the same time. It was as cold as Nome, Alaska in the dead of winter and as hot as Death Valley in the summer, as wet as Niagara Falls and as dry as the surface of Mars. It was a place of constant struggle – it was where the Slayer and the demon met; it was heaven and hell, angel and devil, good and evil. Colorful lights swirled against a background of complete darkness and a wind whipped around Spike’s body, one second frigid and the next burning hot. Spike began to move through this realm – he had no desire to get entangled in a battle between Buffy’s demon and the Slayer. Even here, though, he could feel her fear and an overwhelming sense of guilt and remorse. If he hadn’t been ready for it, been expecting it, it would’ve easily knocked him to his knees; it was that powerful.
 
He moved quickly, although it was hard to really say how fast he was moving or how far it was out of this chamber where the balance between good and evil, between power and compassion was maintained. It seemed at once to go on forever, and in the next instant to be only a momentary blip.
 
Suddenly, he stepped out of the bright darkness and a beam of sunlight momentarily blinded him. He raised his arm up to shield his face and began looking around through narrowed eyes. His brow furrowed and he turned back to look behind him, expecting to see some sort of barrier that would lead back into the checks and balances realm, but instead he saw a sea of cars. He was standing in a parking lot – a huge parking lot that spread out in every direction as far as the eye could see. When he turned back around, a trolley pulled up in front of him. It was empty save for the driver: Xander.
 
“Don’t got all day, mister,” Xander called, reaching up and pulling a rope, which sent a brass bell dinging at the rear of the trolley. “Ya’ comin’ or not?”
 
Spike scratched his head in confusion, but climbed aboard the trolley. Xander rang the bell one more time before letting the clutch out and starting down the long rows of cars.
 
“We are now leaving the Snickers Bar parking area, rows twenty and twenty-one,” Xander announced over a speaker system, as if there were a hundred people on the long trolley. “Make a note of your row number in the Snickers Bar parking area. You may also download our free app onto to your smartphone, which can lead you directly to your car at the end of your visit.”

 

“Uhhh …” Spike began when Xander stopped talking. “Just where are we going?”
 
“Main gate,” Xander replied as he brought the trolley around a wide curve in the aisle.
 
“Right,” Spike agreed. “Main gate t’ what?”
 
Xander didn’t answer Spike; he was busy making a new announcement on the PA system. “Be sure to have your tickets out and ready before reaching the turnstile. Check around you and make sure to collect all your belongings before disembarking from the trolley. Keep children well clear of the trolley after disembarkation.  If you leave the park, you may have your hand stamped for re-entry within twenty-four hours. Enjoy your stay.”
 
The trolley lurched to a stop and Spike got off. In front of him was a line of turnstiles nearly as long as the parking lot had been. He looked up at the sign above them. “Welcome to BuffyLand!” it exclaimed in large, bright yellow letters that were carefully painted in a cheerful, ‘Disneyland’ font. Below that it again admonished patrons to have their tickets ready before reaching the attendants.

 

“What the bloody hell did I expect? Somethin’ sane?” he muttered to himself as he started walking towards the entrance.
 
As he neared the turnstiles, he noted that, although there seemed to be hundreds of them, stretching as far as the eye could see, only one actually had an attendant. He headed for it. When he pushed on the bar that blocked his path, it didn’t move. “Ticket please,” Angelpie purred, holding out her paw to him.
 
Angelpie was perched on what could only be called a gilded, bejeweled throne. It was gold, pure gold, Spike was sure, and the arms were studded with glittering emeralds and rubies the size of baseballs. The seat was cushioned with crushed velvet in a royal purple hue, and where the gold back rose above her head, giant diamonds sparkled, casting small rainbows of color off their many facets.
 
“Don’t got a soddin’ ticket,” he retorted as he planted a hand on each side of the unmoving bar and began to lift his legs up to jump it.
 
Angelpie suddenly growled like a lion and projected a giant, gaping mouth full of razor-sharp teeth at him. Spike fell backwards from the jaws, which were nearly as tall as he was, and landed with a thud on the walkway outside the gate. “Bloody hell!” he exclaimed as he scrambled backwards to make sure he was clear of the kitten.
 
“Ticket please,” Angelpie purred again, back to her normal size. She seemed to be smiling at him – or was she laughing at making him fall?
 
“Bugger!” Spike cursed, patting his pockets down to see if he had any money to buy a ticket. From inside his duster pocket, he pulled out a plastic card about the size of a credit card. “BuffyLand Lifetime Pass,” it said on the front in the same cheery font as the sign up above them. Spike smirked and handed the pass to Angelpie, who scanned it. He heard the turnstile unlock and he pushed through easily.
 
“Enjoy your stay,” Angelpie purred again, handing the pass back to him.
 
“Slayer, you’re gonna owe me for this,” he muttered as he put the pass back in his pocket and walked onto ‘Main Street’. He stood in the center of the deserted street, hands on hips, as he looked up and down at the buildings that lined both sides.
 
The street, sidewalk, and the storefronts were all pristine – not a speck of dirt on any of them. Each storefront looked like a separate building with its own personality, although they were all jammed together, like there wasn’t enough room in here for alleys or walkways between them. The shops were constructed with a variety of textures, colors, and materials. There were buildings made of wood, stucco, stone, and brick. The architectural styles ranged from Victorian to Georgian to Romanesque to plain ole Americana; there was even one that looked like a Swiss chalet. They all had wide, bright windows in front, and most had colorful canvas awnings covering the doorways and/or windows.

 

The colorful signs above the bright windows announced: Homemade Fudge, World’s Best Cinnamon Buns, Old-Fashioned Donuts, Best Chocolate in the World (that was the Swiss Chalet), Carmel and Coffee, Taste Temptations, Bavarian Tortes, Hand Churned Ice Cream, and Cheeses of the World. Spike was beginning to see a theme here. Buffy may not be eating, but she was certainly thinking about it – or at least something inside her was.
 
Spike turned around and looked at the shops on the other side of the street. One bright, red sign caught his eye immediately: Pick Your Pleasure. He crossed the street and headed for the shop. Maybe Buffy’s new hardcore S&M obsession was in there, he reasoned.
 
When he opened the door and stepped in, he stopped short and his jaw actually dropped open. The store was full of … him. Or well … lots of … hims – life-sized … hims. Lined up along one wall was: Policeman Spike, Navy Officer Spike (ala Richard Gere in ‘An Officer and a Gentleman’), Surfer Spike, Hitchhiker Spike, Stripper Spike (nice g-string!), Burglar Spike, Rock Star Spike (it was the whole Billy Idol look), Cowboy Spike, and Pirate Spike. Along the second wall was William: Professor William, School Boy William, Musketeer William, Chimney-Sweep William, Carriage Driver William, Doctor William, King William (why does he get to be king?), 007 William, all dapper in a tux and tails, and Stevedore William. Along the third wall were ‘Ready to Dress’ Spikes and Williams: all completely nude and perfectly correct – anatomically. Eat your heart out Ken and Barbie! In the center of the store were racks of clothes, or, perhaps more accurately, costumes or personas for the 'Ready to Dress' selections.
 
“Bloody hell…” Spike murmured as he took it all in. “Bloody degradin’, that is. More than just a pretty face, I am,” he groused, but he couldn’t suppress a cocky smirk. If his ego were to inflate even a fraction of an inch more, he wouldn’t be able to get back out the door.


 
“Oh no, that won’t do at all! Who dressed you?” Anya exclaimed, clicking her tongue in disdain. “Well, come on – let’s get you fixed,” she continued, pulling Spike by the sleeve of his duster. “I swear – someone really needs to get a little imagination. Some people think black on black is classic, but really it’s so passé.”
 
“OI!” Spike objected, pulling back from her. “Not one a’ your little dollies. And black on black is classic, you barmy bint.”
 
Anya cocked a brow at Spike and folded her arms across her chest, looking him up and down. She shook her head slowly as she did so. When she got back to his face, she sighed. “Well, I can see why she keeps all these boys here now. No imagination – that’s your problem, buster.”
 
“Balls! I got imagination! I got imagination leaking out m’ ears! Did she ever tell you ‘bout the hot air balloon over the Alps? What about that buggerin’ big Ferris wheel in London? Oh! And the bandstand in the Common? Huh? How about that for imagination? We did it on a barge going down the Nile once … right at the foot of the pyramids! And how about that pole dance she did? The one at the North Pole! That was my soddin’ idea!”
 
Anya took in a deep breath and let it out loudly. “But did you ever throw her a surprise party in the backyard, then make love under a full moon after waltzing all night?” she asked as she began to waltz around the floor of the shop with an unseen partner to unheard music.
 
Spike gave her a skeptical look. “Buffy wouldn’t do that … said neighbors and the bits could see.”
 
Anya stopped moving and snorted sarcastically. “Don’t know her as well as you thought, I guess.
 
“You need to run along now,” she told him, flicking her hand at him in a shooing motion. “You’ll scare off my customers.”

 

“How many bloody customers you got?” he asked, looking around at the empty street outside.
 
Anya smiled at him like the Cheshire Cat. “You’d be surprised.”
 
Spike rolled his eyes and started for the door. There weren’t any hard-core S&M props in here anyway. As he walked, he called back over his shoulder to Anya, “Uhhh … if you were something big and scary, where would you hide ‘round ‘ere?”
 
Anya stopped tidying up the shop and considered this for a moment. “Hmmm, well, there’s The Dungeon or Sewer Rat Maze … umm … Death Knell Hospital, The Master’s Church, The Hellmouth in the Basement, The Tower of Terror … or possibly The Initiative.”
 
Spike stopped short. “Bloody hell – how many ‘attractions’  ya got ‘ere?”
 
Anya smiled brightly and shook her head. “I don’t really know – lots. Those are just the biggest scary ones. There are lots of small scary ones – like the Spike-less World; but that’s just like about the size of a breadbox, because there’s nothing in it. I really don’t want to know how many there are – you probably don’t either.”
 
“Don’t suppose ya got a map?” Spike asked hopefully.
 
“Oh, sure! What do you think this is? Some kind of low-budget, road-side attraction run by shysters?” she quipped, producing a map from thin air. “We can afford more special effects than Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, and Leg0Land put together. Maps are easy … it’s the rivers of blood and tears that get hard to conjure sometimes.”

 

Spike stepped back towards Anya, took the folded map from her hand, and opened it. It was on heavy, glossy paper – no expense spared. The map itself was colorful and mimicked the maps you would get at Disneyland or other large theme parks. There was a large “X” next to the ‘Pick Your Pleasure’ shop on Main Street and the words ‘You are here,’ printed clearly next to it.
 
He scanned the large map and his eyes settled on an unlabeled, triangular area that was well off in one corner near the very back of Buffy's mind. The triangle was black with no notations next to it at all. There appeared to be some sort of ‘rides’ or ‘realms’ lining two sides of the triangle, with the third empty.
 
“What’s this?” he asked, holding it up for Anya to see and pointing to the triangle.
 
“You don’t want to go there,” she advised as she turned away and began dusting a display of fur-lined handcuffs and cotton ropes with a feather-duster.
 
Spike grabbed her arm and pulled her attention back to the map. “What. Is. This?” he asked again emphatically.
 
Anya swallowed, then blinked, and finally looked at him. “Death.”
 
**~**
 
Spike followed the map to Death. As he went, the ‘X’ and the words ‘You are here,’ moved with him. See – no expense spared. Eat your heart out Mickey Mouse.
 
The further from Main Street he got, the darker, more rundown, and grimy the streets and buildings became. Where Main Street had been pristine, colorful, bright, and cheery, the roads and buildings near Death were … well, not. The buildings were all derelict, in grave (no pun intended) disrepair with peeling paint, broken windows, shutters hanging askew, and sagging porches. The awnings, once bright and colorful, were faded and tattered. Doors to some of the buildings stood ajar, revealing contents that appeared to have been looted, or at least vandalized. The planters along the fronts of the buildings were full of nothing but dead sticks that, he had to assume, at one time were flowers. The streets were dirty, as if they hadn’t seen a street sweeper, or even a good rain, in decades, and the sky was a dull grey. He also noted that the temperature had gotten discernibly colder.
 
Only because the ‘X’ on the map told him that he’d arrived, did Spike know that he stood, literally, at Death’s door. Or one of them, anyway. It was in the same manner of disrepair as all the buildings in this neck of Buffy’s brain. It looked very much like an archetypical haunted house with dark, arched windows and overgrown shrubbery. It was an old, ornate Victorian with sections of steep hip roof, a high center tower, and a widow’s walk. The shiplap siding had the requisite peeling paint, and many of the shake shingles were missing from around the dormer windows. It could’ve been the Weckerly house from the 1800s, except it was a bit more ornate and quite unkempt.

 

What else would he expect to find as Death’s door but a presumably haunted house? He took a deep breath and walked up to the old house. The stairs to the front porch creaked loud enough to, well … wake the dead. He paused a moment, half expecting something to jump out at him. When nothing did, he continued up. He found a window that was devoid of curtains and used the sleeve of his duster to wipe the grime off the glass so he could see inside.
 
What he found within wasn’t exactly what he expected. The interior of the house, which from the outside looked like it should have many rooms and lots of period furniture, was actually empty. Well, as far as furniture and rooms go, it was empty. In the center of the large space was what looked like the holograms that he had been shown during the PTB’s trials. Inside this house was The Master’s underground church. Spike watched as the Master pulled Buffy into a thrall, then easily took her life, using the power in her Slayer blood to free himself of his prison.
 
Spike hadn’t been in Sunnydale when this had happened. He’d heard of it, of course – but from Buffy’s point of view. This seemed to be from … a third party’s point of view. From someone watching on the sidelines. The PTB maybe? He didn’t know. He watched as the Master took only enough blood to power his escape, and then dropped the Slayer, face first, into a shallow pool of water.
 
The representation was so precise and realistic that Spike could actually hear Buffy’s heart rate slow, then stop. He could feel her die. Spike could see Buffy’s essence, her spirit, swirl up and out of her body.
 
Spike’s jaw clenched and his stomach tightened in fear. He knew this was past. She had ultimately survived. But still, it was painful and frightening for him to watch.
 
Suddenly, Angel appeared and pulled Buffy from the water.

 

“Do something, you git! You can tell she’s not breathin’!” he screamed at his grandsire. Nothing changed; the little play continued to roll forward, as it had done that night so many years ago.
 
Suddenly, all around the walls of the Master’s church, grainy films started playing and snapshots in time flashed and danced across the rough walls. They were memories, Spike realized. Buffy’s memories. They were the things that were flashing through her mind as she died. He could see a scene with her with Joyce; it looked like they were playing ‘dress-up’ together – Buffy must’ve been only five or six. Then on another wall there was a snapshot – a moment in time that showed a sleeping Hank in a recliner, a sleeping Buffy of about three cradled in his arms. As each memory ended, another would take its place. Some were just quick flashes of a single moment in time; others were longer – like short video clips. The pictures were grainy, like old, faded film, and they sometimes jumped forward jerkily, as if there was piece missing.
 
“She's dead!” Angel yelled, looking up at Xander, who came in just behind him.


“No. She's not dead,” Xander insisted, on the verge of panic.


“She's not breathing!”


“But if she drowned, uh, there's a shot! CPR!” Xander suggested, his brain finally kicking into gear.


“You have to do it. I have no breath,” Angel replied forlornly.
 
“Oh you bloody wanker!” Spike raged against the glass barrier. “How the bloody hell do you talk if ya’ got no breath!? You yellow-bellied, two-faced, son of a good for bloody nothing bastard.”
 
As Spike watched, Xander began CPR. Finally, Buffy began to cough and breathe again and Spike watched her spirit, her soul, swirl back down from the ether and return to her body. As she came back to life, the images that had filled the walls of the church stilled and then faded. Then she and Xander were talking and he was helping her up. At that point, everything went dark; it was perfectly still and quiet for a moment. Then, as if someone had dropped a penny into a mutoscope, the whole play started anew, running in a never-ending loop within the confines of a dilapidated house in this nearly abandoned corner of her mind.
 
Spike took a deep breath and backed up from the window. He ran a shaky hand through his hair and looked back down at the map. He wasn’t sure why he’d been drawn to this area – perhaps only because of the large, black triangle, which seemed so out of place on the colorful map. Spike walked back down the steps and out to the street, then started walking around the perimeter of the triangle of Death. When he came to an apex in the road, he made a sharp turn to the right. There was another house, just like the last one, on the bisecting street.
 
Spike went up on the porch to inspect it, as he’d done the last. This time he was prepared for what he saw. Inside the house was the alley behind the Hyperion. He watched as Buffy pried her hand away from his and fell backwards off the fire escape. As she fell, all around her, projected on the walls of the buildings lining the alley, were short films and snapshots of her life. This time they included him and Annie. Spike could hear himself screaming as he clung to their small daughter with one arm and watched helplessly as his wife fell to her death, taking Glory, now morphed into Ben, with her. His chest tightened and tears came unbidden to his eyes as he watched himself fail to keep her safe. He blinked the guilty tears back and quickly turned away from the scene. He’d seen it enough in his nightmares; he didn’t need to see it again.

 

Still fighting back tears, he descended the steps of that house and continued around to see what lay on the last street that lined Death. The map showed that the last side of the triangle had no building on it. He should be able to see into Death itself from there. He came to the next apex in the road and made another sharp right, but to his surprise, there was a house there – just like the others.
 
Spike looked from the house to the map and back again. Then he checked the ‘X’ and the ‘You are here’ note. According to the map, he was standing next to Death – there should be nothing between it and him. But there was.
 
“Ain’t that interestin’?” he asked himself as he continued down the street to the front gate. Once inside the gate, he started up the walk, but hadn’t gotten halfway to the front porch when he saw movement from the house. Not from the windows … not someone moving inside the house – movement from the house itself. He froze in his tracks and looked again, trying to figure out what it was. Then he saw that it wasn’t the house moving, but creatures, which seemed to have been embedded in the very structure of the building.
 
Several large creatures were pulling free of the house and moving slowly towards him. They were tall humanoids, easily eight feet, with glowing red eyes, skin the color of eggshells, and unexpectedly bright red lips. There were four demons stalking towards him, but he could see more disengaging themselves from the facade of the house. Spike took a step back and held his hands up in the universal signal of peace … or surrender.
 
“Not lookin’ for trouble, mate,” he offered, backing up another step.
 
“No trespasssssing,” the closest demon hissed at him, pointing with a long, bony finger to a weather-beaten sign that hung haphazardly on the wrought-iron fence.

 

“Right. Sorry … just … uhhh. M’ map seems to be a bit outta date,” Spike tried, holding the map up for the closest demon to see. There were easily ten of them now, all stalking slowly forward as he backed up towards the gate. “Could you tell me the name o’ this…”
 
Before he could finish, the closest red-eyed demon jammed the flat of its palm into Spike’s chest and sent him flying back out the gate and all the way across the street. “No tresspassssing,” it hissed again as it slammed the front gate closed.
 
“Unfriendly lot, you are,” Spike grumbled as he picked himself up off the garbage-littered street and brushed himself off.
 
When Spike looked back up after brushing the dirt off his clothes, all the demons were gone. Or, he couldn’t see them, anyway – he was pretty sure they weren’t gone far.
 
“Dr. Livingstone, I presume,” Spike muttered to himself, looking back down at the map. Whatever he was looking for – he was pretty sure he’d just found it. Now all he had to do was figure out what the hell it was and what it meant.
 
Spike went back to the Hyperion House, which neighbored this unmapped one. He climbed over the wrought-iron fence at the corner, where the yard of that house met the mystery house’s yard. He walked back along the fence that divided the yards of the two houses, back towards Death, which all the houses overlooked. Did having a view of Death increase the property value, like having lake-front property?
 
Spike looked at the unmapped house as he walked, dead grass crunching under his feet with each step. There was an eight-foot-high, wrought-iron fence between him and it. At the top of each upright, there were sharp points – sharper than what a normal fence would have. Sharp enough to cut him good, or even impale him, if he got caught up on top of it. He couldn’t see anything moving around the mystery house now, but he guessed that as soon as he stepped foot into the yard again, the built-in, wireless security system would be activated.
 
For the first time, he started to wonder if he got hurt in here, would his physical body be hurt and, would the Gem protect him here. He had to think that the Gem would protect his physical body, even if what happened here manifested in the real world. So then, that begged the question: what could those demons actually do to hurt him?
 
“I reckon I’m gonna find out,” he muttered to himself as he came to the edge of Death.
 
There was no fence at the back of the yard. The dead, brown grass simply stopped, and a gaping abyss opened up beyond it. Spike stepped to the very edge and looked in: nothing. He could see absolutely nothing but pure, raven blackness. Cold air seemed to seep from the blackness – it wasn’t a wind or breeze so much as just a slow leaching of frigid air. This must be why the whole area seemed colder than where he’d been before. The chill was oozing out of Death, like a slow fog rolling in off a wintry sea. He shivered involuntarily, not from the cold, but from the feeling of foreboding and bleak desolation that leached out of the blackness with the chill.
 
Buffy may have been ready for death at one time – been prepared to accept it and felt it was her destiny, but Spike was now sure she no longer felt that way. After they had pulled her back from heaven, she said that, in death, she had been at peace. She had finally told him that she knew, with complete certainty, that she’d done the right thing, for her family and the world. Spike’s experience told him that all Slayers had a death wish, but he was comforted to see, and more importantly, feel, that Buffy no longer did. Her family, as well as her friends, were steadfastly anchoring her here now.
 
Death was not a warm, softly glowing, field of flowers and fluffy clouds to her. Death was cold and lonely and black as coal. So, she didn’t want to die, she simply wanted to be punished. This, he suspected, was a clue, but the question remained: punished for what? And why was the heavily guarded answer so close to Death?
 
Spike drew in a breath and stepped back from the edge. If he fell in there, would he die? Would his soul leave his body, as he’d seen Buffy’s do in the grainy holograms? Where would it go? Were there any giant spiders down there, waiting to gobble up any unsuspecting souls that ventured too close? He decided he’d rather not find out.
 
He looked at the back of the house next door – the heavily guarded house that was not on the map. Could he fight his way in there? Those were some pretty big demons she had guarding it, and lots of them. It really would be better if Buffy would just let him in. She’d agreed to let him help her, but obviously some part of her was still resisting. As he studied the three-story Victorian behind the high fence, he saw something move in the highest tower. The curtain, he realized, had been pulled back, and now it swung slightly as it fell back into place. Someone had been looking out.

 

“Buf…” he began to call, but his voice broke in the middle. He cleared his throat, took another step away from the chill of Death, and tried again. “Buffy!” he called, looking up at the now empty window. “Buffy, pet! I need t’ talk to you,” he tried.
 
He stood and waited, eyes narrowed as he concentrated on trying to see through the curtain. He practically willed it to move again, to see her face looking down at him. He’d just taken another breath to call again, when the curtain moved. He could barely see the outline of her face, the curve of her nose and lips, in the grey light from above.  
 
“Buffy!” he called again, meeting her eyes across the long distance. “Come down, we need t’ talk.”
 
Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair…
 
“Bloody hell,” he murmured, shaking his head. He was spending waaaay too much time reading fairy tales and watching kid’s movies.
 
The curtain fell closed again and Spike held his breath, letting his eyes focus on what little he could see of the back porch of the house through the overgrown shrubbery. “C’mon, Buffy …” he admonished her in a whisper. “You can do it, pet.”
 
After some time, he heard a loud creak, like a rusty cemetery gate being forced open. And then she was there, on the dilapidated back veranda of the house, looking at him.
 
“Buffy … please, pet,” he pleaded, reaching a hand out through the uprights of the fence. “Let me in.”
 
As soon as Spike’s hand crossed the plane of the fence surrounding the mystery house, the red eyes began to glow from the foundation and walls of the house – dozens of eyes. Within just a few seconds, figures formed within the wood siding and brick foundation and came to life, pulling free of the structure with cracks and pops, like wood and nails being torn apart.
 
“Go away, Spike,” Buffy replied softly, never moving from her place near the back door. “Please just go away.”

 

“Nooooo…” he drawled, pulling his hand back, but not moving away from the fence. “If I haveta’ fight these things, I will – but I’m comin’ in, dead or alive.”
 
Buffy stiffened and, for the first time, seemed to take notice of the Reds that were moving towards Spike. “No, Spike! Go away! You can’t fight them! Just leave me alone!”
 
“Balls! I came here to see what’s in that bloody house, and I aim t’ finish what I started, Slayer,” Spike retorted as he put his foot on the lower cross-member of the fence, his hands on the upper one, and began to lift himself up.
 
“No!” Buffy screamed. “They’ll kill you if you come in here!”
 
“Then stop them,” Spike challenged as he lifted up and prepared to propel his body over the sharp, deadly tines that lined the top of the fence.
 
“No! Don’t!” Buffy screamed at him as he sprang up, lifted his body and legs out to one side, and, like a gymnast vaulting over a pommel horse, cleared the fence easily. Spike touched down lightly on the dead grass that lined the other side of the fence. Then, without missing a beat, he rolled to one side to avoid the first Red that attacked him.
 
“Call them off!” he commanded Buffy as he rolled back to his feet and barreled through a thicket of long-dead bougainvillea. The long, sharp thorns on the brown bush cut and scratched at his clothes and skin, but it also made the three Reds that had started after him pause momentarily.
 
Spike emerged from the other side of the brush covered in cuts and scratches, but free of pursuers for the moment. That didn’t last long, as more of Buffy’s guardsmen had circumvented the nasty bush and were charging at him, racing forward along the overgrown, stone path upon which Spike was now standing. Spike ducked as the first one hurtled itself at him. The large vamp sailed over the smaller, faster demon’s head and landed with a thunk on the stone walkway. Spike dropped down to his belly and began to slither under the thick brambles and rose vines that were on the other side of the path. He crawled with elbows and hips – he couldn’t raise up enough to even get to his knees, the brush was so thick and heavy.
 
The Reds began thrashing at the dead vegetation, trying to clear it enough to get to him. He kept moving towards the back porch, towards Buffy, as the Reds reached long arms and bony fingers through the bushes to try and get to him. Spike kept his head and butt down, and continued to move through the crush of thorny bushes and sharp, claw-like nails that raked at him.
 
“Call ‘em off, Slayer!” he demanded again as he moved closer to her.
 
“I can’t! Please just go away!” Buffy screamed back at him. She’d moved away from the door and was looking over the railing of the back veranda, nervously watching the struggle between her guards and her husband.

 

“You can!” he insisted as he came near the edge of the bushes he’d been crawling under. He could see at least four pairs of large feet waiting for him to emerge and he knew there were more not far away.
 
“I can’t!” she insisted.
 
“Can’t or won’t?” Spike threw back at her. “Is the secret you got in there worth m’ life?”
 
Buffy looked from the house to Spike, who was still huddled in the bushes. The Reds on either side of him were tearing frantically at the brush, trying to get to him, while several more waited for him to emerge. The only color in the whole yard seemed to be the glittering, scarlet blood of the Reds, which dripped from the deep scratches in their skin, and Spike’s own blood – just as red, but without the sparkles of the larger demons.
 
“Spike, please! Just break the bond and go away!” Buffy begged him as panic rose in her voice.
 
“NO! Let me in or watch me die!” Spike retorted as he started moving again. He’d barely gone another foot when one of the Reds that had been waiting in front of him grabbed him by the nape of the neck and dragged him out of the underbrush. The brambles clung to his back and legs, tearing into this skin and ripping the heavy denim of his jeans as he was yanked out of the underbrush, painting the brown thorns with more brilliant red.
 
Spike kicked and punched at the creatures, but it was ineffectual. They were larger and stronger, and there were too many of them.
 

“Buffy!” Spike screamed at her as the one that was holding him flung him like he was nothing more than a bug. Spike flew through the air and crashed against the side of the house like he’d been shot out of a cannon. His whole body felt crushed and broken in that instant. He slid down the wall and landed like a bag of wet laundry, limp and lifeless, in what had once been a large planter that ran the length of the house.
 
“Spike! No!” Buffy screamed as the Reds descended on him like ants on a dead cockroach. “No! No!” she continued to scream in horror as the sounds of blood being spilled and slurped reached her ears.
 
“NO!” she yelled one more time as she vaulted over the banister and began pulling the Reds off him, flinging them back away like they were dolls. As she flung each one away, they disintegrated into glittering, scarlet motes of dust.

 

“Spike!” she cried when she’d pulled the last of her guards away from him. She dropped down next to him and cradled his broken body against her. “Spike, please … I’m so sorry. Baby, please…” she pleaded, rocking him gently and sobbing uncontrollably.
 
Spike moaned and reached one hand up to touch her face. “I knew … knew you would … invite me … in,” he stammered, spitting blood from his mouth with each breath.
 
“Oh God, Spike … I’m sorry … I’m just … I’m a bad, bad person and … I’m just so sorry. I never meant to hurt you … I swear I didn’t. I never meant to …” Buffy choked and dropped her forehead against his as she sobbed and continued rocking him gently.




Never meant to be unfaithful, she thought, unable to speak. She knew he could hear her.
 
Please don’t forgive me. I don’t deserve it. I don’t deserve your love.
  
**~**

Historical Note: The Mutoscope was an early motion picture device, patented by Herman Casler on November 21, 1894 and manufactured from 1895 to 1909. Like Thomas Edison's Kinetoscope it did not project on a screen, and provided viewing to only one person at a time. Cheaper and simpler than the Kinetoscope, the system quickly dominated the coin-in-the-slot "peep-show" business. In 1899, The Times printed a letter inveighing against "vicious demoralizing picture shows in the penny-in-the-slot machines. It is hardly possible to exaggerate the corruption of the young that comes from exhibiting under a strong light, nude female figures represented as living and moving, going into and out of baths, sitting as artists' models etc.” Mutoscopes were a popular feature of amusement arcades and pleasure piers in the UK until the introduction of decimal coinage in 1971.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Fix You by Coldplay  on YouTube  }}


When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

Tears stream down on your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down on your face
And I...

Tears stream down on your face
I promise you that I will learn from mistakes.
Tears stream down on your face
And I...

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

End Notes:
What will happen when Spike looks into the last House of Death and sees what happened to Buffy, as well as Annie, in the other dimension?

More to come ...
Fallen by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike’s made it through Buffy’s defenses. Will he be able to forgive her for what happened in the other dimension? Will she be able to forgive herself?
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for the song suggestion (awesome song!), betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Early morning hours, Tuesday July 5th, 2011. Inside Buffy’s subconscious…
 
“Buffy … what are you on about? What happened, pet?” Spike whispered softly, pulling back from her embrace. She sat in the long-abandoned planter where Spike had fallen after hitting the wall of the house, cradling him in her arms. His whole body still ached from being slammed against the wall of the mysterious death-house by the large vampires that had been guarding this nearly-lost part of Buffy’s subconscious. His skin was covered with scratches and gouges from the briars he’d crawled and dove through to get to her; the blood on them was now dried and caked with dirt. Apparently the Gem didn’t heal mystic wounds of the subconscious.

 

Buffy worried her bottom lip with her teeth, but didn’t answer. Unable to meet his eyes, she concentrated instead on his torn and tattered t-shirt, touching a finger down against one particularly deep wound on his abdomen.
 
“Buffy?” he prodded gently, lifting her chin so her eyes would meet his. “Tell me, luv.”
 
Buffy swallowed hard and lifted her eyes so she was looking past him rather than at him. She couldn't meet his eyes. “I … they … it …” she sighed heavily. “I didn’t mean to, Spike,” she said again. “I thought it was a dream … I thought … it was just a dream … of you, but it wasn’t – it was … them. And then … Annie … I was with him and she got hurt … I didn’t protect her…” she stammered the words out as tears flowed from her eyes.
 
Spike shook his head in confusion. “Who? What are you talkin’ about? The Niblett’s fine…”
 
Buffy finally shifted her eyes and looked at him directly. “No – she’s not. She’s … shattered and changed and it’s all my fault.”
 
“No, pet – she’s fine,” Spike argued, shifting in her embrace so he could hold her firmly by the shoulders, as if to convey his knowledge directly to her through his hands.

 

“NO! She’s not!” Buffy insisted angrily, pulling out of his grip and jumping up from where she’d knelt beside him. She began pacing back and forth in front of him, her arms waving out emphatically as she raved, “She got hurt because of me! Because of my stupidity and stubborn pride and … and … I let them fool me and I made love to them and I couldn’t even tell! You’ll see! You’ll see, Spike! You’ll see and you’ll hate me and I don’t blame you.”
 
Spike shifted and tried to scoot to the edge of the planter that he’d landed in so he could stand up too. His ribs felt like they were broken – all of them. He winced and stopped moving a minute to get the pain to subside as she continued pacing back and forth, her arms now wrapped around her torso as if just noticing the chill in the air.
 
“Buffy, I could never…” he started to object after a getting the pain to subside enough that he could take in a breath.
 
“Don’t say it! You don’t know! Don’t say you couldn’t hate me! Even Annie hated me! I hate me! You’ll hate me too,” she fumed at him.

 

Spike sighed heavily and swung his legs over the brick edge of the planter and got his feet on the ground. Now if he could just push himself up to standing. But he couldn’t, not quite yet – he just needed to breathe another minute.
 
As he tried to push past the pain in his body, Buffy grabbed up a broken piece of the thicket that the Reds had shredded in their effort to catch Spike and began scratching savagely at her arms and torso with it. Bright red blood, the color of an American Beauty rose, bloomed immediately from the deep gouges. The blood seemed to sparkle in the grey light, just as the demon’s had, like it was infused with glitter. It soaked into her now torn blouse and ran down her arms and body like thick, red paint.
 
Spike jumped up, ignoring the stabbing pain that shot through him, and encircled her with his arms, stopping her.
 
“Please don’t … it’s the only thing that helps,” Buffy moaned against him as her blood soaked through her clothes and into his.
 
“No, not gonna stand by anymore, pet,” Spike rebuffed her. “This ends now.”
 
Buffy shook her head and sobbed against him. He had no idea how right he was. As soon as he saw … as soon as he looked in the house, then it really would end. He’d hate her.
 
They stood there, not moving, not talking, for a good while until finally Spike said, “You gonna invite me all the way in?”
 
Buffy’s chin quivered in fear, but she backed up a step from him and nodded. There was no escaping it now. She offered Spike support, pulling his left arm over her shoulders so he could lean into her. When his pain subsided a bit and he relaxed slightly against her, they walked to the back of the house and up the steps.
 
At the back door, Buffy hesitated and let go of him. “You go… I … I see it all the time. I can’t stop seeing it,” she murmured, turning away from him and walking over to an old wicker rocking chair that sat on the wide veranda.
 
Spike sighed and watched her drop down heavily into the chair, resigned to her fate. The old wicker creaked and groaned in protest when her weight settled in it. She pulled her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them, then began to rock herself gently. The chair swayed slowly with her rhythmic movement. It seemed to moan with pain, as if it were too old for such an unrestrained, boisterous endeavor.
 
Spike studied her closely for the first time. The woman before him was only a shadow of Buffy. She was thin, concentration camp thin, barely more than skin and bones. Her skin was pasty and pale, with a sickly grey-green tint to it, and now caked with blood. Her eyes were rimmed in red and sunken into deep, purple-black sockets. Her hair was a mat of blood and grime, and Spike realized that there were long, sharp thorns tangled in it. Each time she moved, the thorns would jab into her scalp, scratching her, poking into the thin skin there, and producing more blood – more pain.

 

Around her torso he could see something glint in the dim light. He moved to the side to get a better look, and saw that she had a long strand of barbed wire wrapped around her chest. The strong wire was pulled tight, beginning just below her ribcage and wrapping round and round her torso, finally ending just under her arms. The sharp barbs, spaced every four inches or so along its length, cut through her shirt and dug painfully into her soft flesh. Blood glistened red and damp on the wire from where it had seeped out of the wounds it was inflicting. Each breath she took in tightened the homemade torture device around her ribcage, punishing her with the simple of act of being alive … breathing.
 
Spike swallowed and closed his eyes against the tears that welled in them. What had produced this tortured, broken part of her soul?
 
“Buffy, I won’t hate you – no matter what,” he assured her finally, unable to keep the tears and emotion from cracking his voice.
 
“You’ll see…” she replied softly, never looking up at him.
 
Spike ran a bloody hand through his hair and turned to the door. He took a deep breath and, as he stepped in, he was transported to the empty basement of their house on Crawford Street. The little play was already running. Bess was there, as well as … what was that ponce’s name? Andrew? They seemed to be trying to hold off more of the same vampires that he’d just had the pleasure of meeting. Cordy and Gunn were also there, but his eyes focused on Buffy, who was kneeling in front of him, holding some kind of bowl full of … Jell-O?
 
Spike’s brows furrowed. Was this something that had already happened or something that is going to happen? A portent of the future or was it some repressed memory? If it was a memory, then why didn’t he remember it? Why was the basement so empty? What was Andrew doing here? And Cordy and Gunn? And what the fuck were those red-eyed demons, anyway?
 
“What the bloody hell …” he murmured as he watched in confusion.
 
Suddenly, his attention was drawn back to Cordy, who was screaming, “You bitch!” Then, as she spun back to face Buffy, the cross-bow in her hand fired its bolt. It was like the movie went into slow motion for a moment. Spike could clearly see the projectile sailing through the air, right towards his wife. “Slayer!” he screamed in warning, but no one could hear him.
 
He watched in horror as the bolt embedded in Buffy’s back, piercing her heart cleanly, the tip emerging from her chest. Spike watched helplessly as his doppelganger tried to help her. The Spike in the horrible drama begged her to fight, to not leave him, but all along both Spike and this phantom that he didn’t remember, knew there was nothing that could be done. She was going to die very quickly.
 
As Spike watched, scenes began playing around the walls of the basement. Just like in the other houses, the memories that flashed through Buffy’s mind as she died were there for him to see. There were many of the same ones: scenes from her childhood, of her mother and father, a few with Angel, many more with Spike, and even more that included their children, ending with Annie screaming and holding her bleeding arm in the parking lot of the Green Grocer.
 
Most of these were familiar to Spike by now. Even if he hadn’t seen them in the other houses, some of the old ones of her childhood were exact copies of snapshots in photo albums they had.
 
Then things got unfamiliar: Annie falling into a portal; Buffy and Annie fighting giant bats and more of those same red-eyed demons; he, Buffy, and Annie at the vineyard north of town; Buffy trying to wake up Dawn. Dawn??  It finally occurred to Spike that the reason he didn’t remember this was that this wasn’t him.

 

It was some other Spike and some other dimension. He watched, transfixed, as bits and pieces of what had happened shown on the walls. He realized that he was missing pieces of her memories, and he turned around to look at what was being projected on the wall behind him. He and … Riley Finn were … kissing?
 
Spike’s face contorted like he’d just bit down on a lemon soaked in saltpeter. Then Finn burst into sparkling red and grey dust. Spike felt infinitely better.
 
Spike’s eyes were drawn away from the memories playing around him and back to the scene in the center of the floor, as his counterpart howled in utter agony. Spike watched himself crumble with the weight of the Slayer’s death. Then, as he lay in a heap of sorrow and regret, he apologized to her.
 
Tears swam in Spike’s eyes as he watched – he knew that feeling too well. He’d never get the image of Buffy falling from the fire escape out of his mind; he’d never get the feeling of failing her in that moment out of his heart.
 
Suddenly, all hell broke loose in the room as the red-eyed demons swarmed en masse. He saw Bess dust two or three before she was overrun. Andrew kept them back until his holy water ran out, then he was trampled. Gunn and Cordy, despite being armed and apparently dangerous, were easily overtaken, as well. Unlike the effect the weapon had on Buffy, the bolts from their crossbows did little more than agitate the large demons when they struck them in their wiry chests.
 
Spike looked back to where he and Buffy lay amid the chaos. He watched himself scoop up a handful of the Cherry Jell-O, now mixed with Slayer blood, and swallow it. It only took a moment before his twin’s body began to tremble and convulse as if in the throes of unimaginable agony. Then smoke began to rise from his body, as if he was being burned from within. Spike braced himself, trying to prepare himself to witness his own dusting.
 
The smoke increased steadily, as did the fits and convulsions of his doppelganger. He was thrashing and flailing on the floor now like someone having a severe seizure or epileptic fit. Spike clenched his fists and jaw, willing himself not to look away. He could feel the tension in his gut and his chest pulling tighter and tighter as he waited for himself to die … really die: dust.
 
Then the whole room began to spin like a top. Bright lights flashed and the ground tilted and bucked under his feet. And then, just as suddenly as it began, it stopped. For a moment, everything was still and quiet, then someone dropped a penny in the machine and the hologram began from the beginning, which he hadn’t seen before.
 
Buffy was on the floor, holding him … or not him – some other ‘him’, in her arms. “Welcome back,” she murmured. “I hate to tell you this, but … it didn’t work … yet.”
 
**~**
 
The part of Buffy that remembered sat in the old, wicker rocker and waited. Her knees were pulled up to her chest, her arms wrapped around them, and her head rested atop them in defeat. She waited for what she knew was coming. Spike would see. He would know what she did. He would know how she betrayed him. He would know how she failed Annie. He would hate her.
 
She was exhausted. She’d been here in this dark corner of Buffy’s brain for weeks fighting to keep the secret, but it was over now. Buffy may not have been able to penetrate the cloak she’d put up around the house, or fight through the maze of overgrown rosebushes and briars that surrounded it and get by the guards she’d conjured, but Spike could … and did.
 
She’d been dead. She’d been in limbo, sprinting towards the wall of the spider pit, dozens of the ugly creatures right on her heels, when she’d suddenly been yanked back with a whoosh and a swirl of bright lights. Something had happened and everything had changed. She didn’t know what had changed. Had Spike succeeded in changing the past after she died? It seemed unlikely; the Reds were pressing in on them – there had been precious little time, but she had no other explanation for the reversal.
 
None of the other Buffys that resided in the Slayer’s conscious or subconscious remembered; only her, and that was best. But the Slayer couldn’t leave it alone. She kept looking, kept sending spies out to try and find the source of the discomfort that oozed out of the house like pus from a festering wound. Up until now, the part of Buffy that had been dead when everything changed, the only part that remembered, had been able to keep the truth hidden. She couldn’t stop the feelings that seeped out from around the house, but she could keep her failure secreted away here next to Death. Buffy didn’t visit this place often – it was the perfect hiding spot, or so she thought.
 
After spending a long time waiting for him to emerge, she heard Spike’s boots scrape heavily across the wooden floorboards, and stop in front of her. His steps were slow and to Buffy they seemed forlorn, not his normally confident stride. She didn’t look up. There was no need. She knew the hurt she’d see in his eyes. She knew what was coming next.

 

Spike dropped down into a squat in front of her and she felt his hand, so strong and yet gentle, touch her bowed head. She still didn’t move or look up. She couldn’t face him. Tears fell from her eyes as she waited for him to say something. Would he be angry, or just hurt? She hoped for angry; she’d rather have him beat her to death than simply stand there and look at her with tears swimming in his blue eyes.
 
She felt his hand moving in her tangled, bloody, rat’s nest of hair. His fingers, so long and graceful, began reaching into the knotted, snarled mess and pulling the thorns out. Buffy held her breath. What was he doing? Perhaps he planned on using them to poke beneath her fingernails. After a moment, both of his hands were ghosting over her hair, looking for the thorns and plucking them, one by one, out of her hair and scalp. It felt … gentle and loving and she wished with all her might that he would stop.
 
He didn’t. Not until every last thorn was removed and tossed to the side.
 
“Buffy,” he whispered to her after the task of removing the thorns from her hair was done. “Stand up, luv.”
 
Buffy shook her head against her knees, still not looking at him.
 
“You owe me this,” Spike insisted. “Stand up,” he commanded more firmly. She could hear the leather of his duster creak a bit as he stood up, then his boots shuffled backwards, giving her room to stand.
 
Buffy heaved a heavy sigh and the barbed wire corset dug into her flesh deeper - it was a comfort. There was no arguing with his contention – she did owe him. She finally unfolded her legs slowly – they’d grown stiff being in the same position for so long. When her feet hit the wooden floorboards she pushed up from the rocker, but kept her eyes trained on the floor, still unable to look at him.
 
His voice sounded angry when he’d spoken; that was good – she'd rather he be angry than hurt. He moved around her slowly and she moved stiffly forward, giving him room to get behind her between the chair and her body. She braced herself for a blow: a kick or a punch – perhaps even a bite. Instead, she felt his fingers tracing the barbed wire that was looped around her torso, apparently looking for the end of it. She drew in a breath and let it out slowly – yes, that would be better, simply pull the wire tighter and tighter until it cut her in half.
 
“Arms up,” he ordered. His lips were near her cheek, making her jump, his voice unexpectedly loud in her ear.
 
Buffy complied. As she stood there, eyes trained on the floor, arms over her head, Spike began unwinding the length of barbed wire from her torso. Some places were embedded deeply into her flesh and took some effort to free them. More sparkling, red blood began to flow from the fresh wounds that were created as he pulled it off her.
 
Buffy winced, but otherwise didn’t move as he worked. She tried to figure out what he was doing – why he was unwinding it. Maybe he wanted to use it to strangle her with or …
 
Spike dropped the bloodied barbed wire on the floor next to her. Buffy flinched back from it and brought her arms down, wrapping them around her torso. She could see the home-made torture device out of the corner of her eye as she kept her eyes trained on the floor in front of her and waited for whatever he was going to do next. After a moment, his boots and legs appeared in her field of vision – he was standing in front of her.
 
Spike reached out a hand and lifted her chin until her eyes met his. Buffy was physically trembling now, unsure what he was going to do, but sure that, whatever it was, it would probably be the last thing he ever did to her. After he took his revenge, he’d leave her. He’d hate her and he’d leave and she’d never see him again.
 
Her body tensed and a violent shiver ran through her when she met his eyes. She tried to keep breathing, but just the effort of it was painfully difficult. Heartbreak clenched at her chest as she waited for the inevitable – waited for the end.
 
“I love you, Buffy,” Spike said at last. It was said flatly, simply a statement of fact.

 

Tears swam in her eyes and she nodded slightly. “I love you, too,” she replied just above a whisper, using the last of the breath she had in her lungs.
 
“I know you do. That’s why I know you didn’t do that t’ hurt me,” he waved his hand at the house and the tableau that still played in there. “It wasn’t deliberate, pet. You were alone; you did the best ya could.”
 
Buffy shook her head and took in a painful breath. “No … not the best. I … let you down, I let Annie down. I … I’m so sorry, Spike.”
 
“Buffy – you died trying t’ fix it!” Spike argued with her.
 
“There shouldn’t’ve been anything to fix,” she objected, her voice sounded defeated, full of resignation.
 
“Buffy, I saw what happened. You did your best. Why'd you think I’d hate you, pet?” Spike pressed. “Do you think that little o’ me?”
 
Buffy’s eyes went wide and she shook her head adamantly. “No! No … it’s just … I hate myself. Our own daughter hated me! I mean really hated me – not ‘you won’t let me stay out past ten p.m.’ hate … hate as in ‘you ruined my life’. And she was right! I ruined her life! I didn’t protect her. I was so stubborn and stupid and then … Riley.” Buffy closed her eyes and her trembling intensified as she shook her head in shame.
 
“Buffy, you’re the Slayer. You can’t change that and I wouldn’t ask ya to, luv. You did what you thought was best for the greater good. You went on that patrol to help. It’s who you are. If I’da been in your place, I would’a done the same.”

 

“I doubt that,” she muttered as she continued shaking her head. After a moment, Buffy looked back up at him. “I’m her mother. I need to put my family first. I … I can’t be the Slayer – I have to be a mother. I can’t … Spike, I don’t know how to be a mother and a Slayer. I … can’t do it.”
 
“Yes, you can. You’ve been doin’ it. You can do it,” Spike assured her.
 
“No, not really. I haven’t really been doing both – I’ve been doing one or the other. I haven’t had to choose before. In that moment, I chose to be a Slayer over being a mother. My brain knew … it knew not to take her on that patrol. I FUCKING KNEW!” Buffy screamed the last words at him, finally unwrapping her arms from around her torso and flinging them out to the side adamantly. “But I still went, I still chose the Slayer over the mother.”
 
“You let Faith be the General, stepped right away from that, you did,” Spike reminded her.
 
“Lip service,” Buffy spat. “You and I both know when it comes to it, I’ll be right there next to her. I’ll be right in the thick of it … putting the Slayer first.”
 
“I don’t know that, and unless you’ve grown a third eye, neither do you, pet,” Spike argued. “Buffy, give yourself a bloody break and give me a little fucking credit.
 
“You think I’d blame you for what happened to the Niblett? Well, I don’t. You think I’d be angry and jealous o’ what happened with Finn and … Spike. Well … yeah … ok, I am. But not at you – at them. He shoulda known. He’d had a bloody century with the bond – you’ve had a decade. He shoulda stopped it – he took advantage.”
 
Buffy shook her head. “I don’t think he knew…”
 
“Balls!” Spike spat. “He didn’ want t’ know! I can understand it. Mighta done the same m’self in that position, but don’t delude yourself, Slayer – he bloody well knew. Deep down, he knew. He knew somethin’ was off, it would've felt too real … he could tell the bloody difference, he just didn't want to admit it.”

 

Spike’s tone softened and he took her by the shoulders. “I don’t hate you. I don’t blame you. I’ve been around a helluva lot longer than you – you need to trust me on this. What happened was not your fault.
 
“T’ top it off – whatever was in that cherry Jell-O that ya gave him seems to have … fixed it. The Niblett’s fine. Apart from the stitches in her arm, she don’t seem t’ have any scars, mental or otherwise, from it. No one else seems t’ remember any of it, either, including me. Probably the only reason you have this … scar from it is ‘cos you were dead when things … changed. You need to let it go, pet.”
 
Buffy just kept shaking her head as she stood in front of him. He looked so sure, so confident; his voice was so calm and adamant. He almost made her believe him.
 
Buffy turned and walked slowly away from him. She stopped and leaned on the railing around the porch, looking out towards Death. “It doesn’t change the fact that I … I can’t be trusted to keep them safe, Spike. I … I’ll always be the Slayer. The mission will always come first. Even if my mind knows what to do, something inside me is … broken. Having Slayer inside is worse than a demon. It looks harmless enough, it sounds like it’s righteous and full of good, but really … it’s selfish – the mission is what matters. The mission always comes first.
 
“What happens if next time my Slayer-ness costs one of them their lives, Spike? Are you gonna forgive me for that? Just brush it off because that’s ‘who I am’?” Buffy asked harshly, never looking at him, but keeping her eyes trained on Death in the backyard.

 

Spike walked up behind her, wrapped his arms around her, and rested his chin on her shoulder as he looked out at the bottomless, black crater that she’d crawled out of three times now.
 
“Buffy, all parents just do the best they can, pet. We’ve got nasties jumpin’ out at us from all directions, and the older the bits get, the more danger they’ll be in. I dunno the answer, pet, I really don’t. But, I know they’re better off, safer, with you there than not. I know you love them more than your own life. I know they need you. I know I need you. I wish we could run and hide far away from Hellmouths and …”
 
Buffy spun in his arms, eyes wide. “Why can’t we?! We could leave – go somewhere plain vanilla and safe! Somewhere … in the middle … Nebraska or … Kansas or something like that. I don’t have to be the Slayer … I can be … Suzie Homemaker and bake cookies and … Oh! I could be the annoying Soccer Mom that calls everyone to make sure they remember all the practices and…”
 
Spike was shaking his head and Buffy stopped talking. She gave him a pleading look and he dropped a kiss on her forehead. “You’re the Slayer, Buffy. You’d go stark ravin’ mad doing that.
 
“It’d be like me tryin’ t’ live on nothin’ but beer and crisps. Sooner or later, I’d crack and start feedin’ on the mailman. You can’t be somethin’ you’re not. You can’t deny your true nature, pet. It just won’t work.”
 
Buffy sighed and leaned against him and Spike wrapped his arms around her tightly. “I love you, Buffy,” he said again.
 
“I love you too, Spike,” she whispered against his chest. “I’m so sorry.”
 
Spike squeezed her tighter in his arms and dropped a kiss atop her head. “Everything’s alright, pet. I don’t hate you – I understand you better than ya think. My demon and yours are two sides t’ the same coin. I’ve lived with it a lot longer than you have, pet, and I know what it feels like to be at its mercy. I’ve done a lot of bad things in m’ life and most of ‘em were to appease the demon.”
 
“But you don’t now,” Buffy pointed out.
 
“Ahhh … got a soul now, don’t I?”

 

“Pretty sure I have a soul … at least in theory. It didn’t stop me from…” Buffy pulled back and looked up at him. “I couldn’t fight it – how do you fight it?”
 
“Easier for me t’ fight, pet. My demon is evil: clear cut, no grey area, died in the wool, evil. Now, not saying your demon’s better ‘an mine, mind you, but it’s … different. Still made from evil, but warped a bit – skewed to the side of goodness and light. It’s harder to fight ‘cos it feels right – it feels moral and righteous to do what it wants, yeah? There’s lots of shades of grey there ya gotta fight through.”
 
Spike backed up a step from her. “Do your sacred duty an’ help your friends fight the monsters,” he said, holding one hand out, palm up. “Or stay outta the fight, perhaps to the detriment of the greater good, and knit booties with the Niblett,” he finished holding the other hand out. He raised and lowered each hand slightly, as if weighing the options, then settled them both even with each other. “Not an easy choice, pet. They both feel right.
 
“It’s a lot easier for me,” he continued, leaving just one hand in the air, palm up. “Kill an innocent victim,” he began. “Or don’t,” he finished, raising his other hand several inches above the first. “Easy to judge that, yeah? No bloody grey area there.”
 
Buffy sighed and nodded slightly. “I guess,” she agreed grudgingly.
 
“What if ya hadn’t have gone and something had happened t’ one of the others, pet? You’d still be standing ‘ere second guessin’ yourself. In fact, if one of them had died on that patrol, you might not've gotten back at all – might not have had the chance to put anything right. We do the best we can in the moment – that’s all we can do,” Spike assured her.
 
“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” she agreed unenthusiastically.
 
“O’ course I’m right, pet. Bloody hell – who you think you’re dealin’ with? I’m more than just a pretty face, ya know,” he told her, cocking a brow and giving her a small smile.
 
Buffy smiled back at him for the first time since he’d gotten here. “Yeah … your body’s pretty hot too.”
 
Spike snorted as if insulted. “And I thought ya married me for m’ brain and Freudian insights into the Slayer psyche.”
 
Buffy stepped forward and wrapped her arms back around his waist, and Spike held her against him for a long while. Finally, Buffy said, “I always thought you were more like Dr. Phil than Freud.”
 
Spike snorted. “Tosh! Dr. Phil wouldn’t make a bloody pimple on my lily-white arse.”
 
**~**
 
Spike and the part of Buffy that had been guarding the secret stood there for a long while, not talking, not doing anything but leaning on the other for support.

After a time, Spike broke the silence, “Got somethin’ you need t’ do for me now.”
 
Buffy nodded against him. “I know,” she answered softly.
 
“C’mon, pet, I’ll help ya,” he offered as he pulled out of her embrace and took one of her hands into one of his. His long fingers wrapped around her small hand comfortingly, giving her strength.
 
Buffy took a shuddering breath and nodded her assent. Spike started leading her towards the back steps, then down and onto the stone path that wound between the dead brambles and bushes to the front yard. The closer they got to the front gate, the more Buffy began to tremble again until she was shaking like a leaf in a summer storm.
 
“I don’t … I don’t know if I can do it,” she finally stammered, pulling out of his grasp just as he pushed the front gate open.
 
“You can,” he assured her, turning back to face her. “You gotta let yourself remember. It’s the only way to banish the ghosties. I need you to remember. I need you to stop hurting yourself. I need you back, the bits need you back … all of you.”

 

Buffy closed her eyes and pulled her lips between her teeth as she tried to summon the courage to step out of the ring of protection she’d put around the memory and set it free. She knew it was the only way for her whole consciousness to deal with it, and she believed Spike when he said he wouldn’t hate her, but she was still frightened of it. She’d spent so long being afraid – so long protecting the secret – that it was hard to simply step out into the light with it now.
 
“C’mon, pet – I’m right beside ya. We’ll do it together,” he encouraged her as he stepped back next to her and put one arm over her shoulders.
 
Buffy took a deep breath, looked up at him, and nodded. Then together they stepped out of the gate, out of the protection of the unmapped, half-hidden house, and into the public street – into her stream of consciousness.
 
**~**
 
Buffy opened her eyes. She was still lying on her side facing Spike in the tent in Willow and Tara’s back yard. Her heartbeat thrummed quickly and loudly in her ears as all the memories that had been hidden from her flooded back.
 
A moment later Spike opened his eyes. He reached out for her and pulled her close, holding her tightly to him. Buffy began to sob against his chest; her whole body shook with the force of her emotions.
 
Spike whispered to her softly and gently shushed her, and finally her sobs died down to soft shuddering breaths and silent tears. “I’m so sorry, Spike,” she rasped out at last.
 
“No worries, pet. I’ll always love you – never doubt that,” he whispered back to her.
 
Buffy dug down into the pocket of her shorts and pulled out the Swiss Army knife. She pulled one of his hands away from around her back and pressed it into his palm. “I’m sorry I made you …” her voice cracked and she shook her head against his chest. “I’m just sorry.”
 
Spike nodded as he took the knife from her. He stuffed it into his pocket then gently kissed the tears from her face. “Welcome back, luv.”




**~**
 
{{  Click here to hear Fallen, Performed by Sarah McLachlan on YouTube  }}
 
Heaven bend to take my hand
And lead me through the fire
Be the long awaited answer
To a long and painful fight

Truth be told I've tried my best
But somewhere along the way
I got caught up in all there was to offer
And the cost was so much more than I could bear

Though I've tried, I've fallen...
I have sunk so low
I messed up
Better I should know
So don't come round here
And tell me I told you so...

We all begin with good intent
Love was raw and young
We believed that we could change ourselves
The past could be undone
But we carry on our backs the burden
Time always reveals
In the lonely light of morning
In the wound that would not heal
It's the bitter taste of losing everything
That I've held so dear.

I've fallen...
I have sunk so low
I messed up
Better I should know
So don't come round here
And tell me I told you so...

Heaven bend to take my hand
Nowhere left to turn
I'm lost to those I thought were friends
To everyone I know
Oh they turn their heads embarrassed
Pretend that they don't see
But it's one missed step
One slip before you know it
And there doesn't seem a way to be redeemed

Though I've tried, I've fallen...
I have sunk so low
I messed up
Better I should know
So don't come round here
And tell me I told you so...
End Notes:
The super-heavy angst is pretty much done now, but there will always be tears with my evil muse. Now that Buffy's conscious mind remembers what happened, can she find a silver lining in the experience? We also have the Slayer Olympics to look forward to, including a visit from Sue-Ann, and later, Spike and Xander go on a mission together.

And what became of the Gift-less Universe? What did that Spike do to change things? Did it work out better for him, or did it just turn into a different kind of torture? Although Unexpected!Spuffy may never know what he did, I promise that we will find out later.

More to come ...
Anticipation by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Is Buffy really over it or are there still some wounds left for Spike to help her heal?
**
Poetic License: My wonderful beta, Anona, pointed out that whip-poor-wills are not indigenous to California. All I can say is: they are in my world.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Thanks to Magnus374 and V.L. who both pointed out a fly in my logic ointment that I had missed. Their questions/comments have allowed me to address it. That's another reason I love reviews and reviewers! You guys see things that I don't always notice! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.
Dawn, Tuesday July 5th, 2011.

Buffy woke with a start from her dream. She was still wrapped up in Spike’s arms in their tent in Willow and Tara’s backyard. Through the window in the tent, she could see the sun was just starting to lighten the eastern sky. It had been a long night. It had been a long few months. She remembered now. That ‘funny feeling’ that she had been fighting finally had substance and meaning. She wasn’t sure which was worse – knowing or not.



She studied Spike’s face as he slept, wrapped around her as if trying to protect her from herself. She smiled sadly – that was exactly what he’d been doing – trying to protect her from herself. Big scary demons she could handle. Feeling like she’d betrayed him, that she’d failed Annie, she couldn’t. She pulled a hand out from between them to touch his face. She trailed her fingers gently down from his brow, along his cheek, and down to his strong jaw. He knew her better than she knew herself – time and again he’d proven that. Time and again he’d pulled her out of the depths of hell and shown her that she wasn’t as big a failure as she thought she was. God, what had she done to deserve his love?

Spike’s eyes fluttered open slowly and focused on her. “Mornin’, cutie,” he whispered to her.

Buffy gave him a soft smile. “Mornin’, cutie, yourself.”

Spike’s brows went up slowly, a little sleepily. “Cutie, is it? Thought I was your handsome knight in shinin’ armor … Which bloody reminds me – why does William get to be a soddin’ king and a secret agent man while I get t’ be a bloody surfer, a burglar, and a hitchhiker?”

Buffy smiled and bit her bottom lip. “You weren’t supposed to see that.”

“Yeah, well – too late now, Slayer. Got my Lifetime Pass t’ Buffyland, don’t I? Being a lifetime member, I think we need some changes.”



“Ya do, huh? Like what?”


“First of all – need a House o’ Ale on Main Street … oh – and a Wing House and a Bloomin’ Onion Hut. Then, we need a little more equality in the pleasure pickin’ department … some more respectable personas for ole Spike.”

Buffy snorted out a laugh. “Ok, I’ll see what I can do.”

Buffy laid her hand on his cheek and her face and voice turned serious. “Thank you … thank you for believing in me and … not hating me.”

“We all need help, pet. Wish you hadn’t shut me out for so long. Tore me up watchin’ you suffer … and hurtin’ you,” his voice trailed off and he suddenly couldn’t meet her eyes. “Buffy, I only did it ‘cos I was afraid you’d do worse if I didn’t.”

“I’m sorry I … forced you do that, Spike. I know … I know it was wrong to make you hurt me like that and … God, all I can say is I’m sorry – that’s the only thing that comes out.”



Spike shook his head and brought his eyes back to meet hers. “No worries, now. It’s all behind us. T’day’s a new day.”

Buffy smiled and nodded, then touched her lips to his gently. They felt like liquid silk against his mouth and he reveled in the tenderness of it. He’d missed how tender she could be; it seemed ages since she’d touched him with such gentleness. It was part of her allure: she could be tender and generous one moment, demanding and ferocious the next. The last months he’d seen his tender lover fade until she seemed like nothing but the memory of a dream, leaving only a brutal masochist in her place.

Buffy pulled back and leaned her forehead against his for a moment. "How do you think he did it? How do you think Spike … fixed it?”

Spike shook his head against hers. “Don’t reckon we’ll ever know, will we?”

Buffy frowned and shook her head. “I guess not … I hope … I hope he’s happy. I hope she can see what I see in you.”


Spike nodded against her and trailed a hand slowly down her arm. “I reckon she will one day – if he saved ‘er. Near-abouts inevitable, yeah? Soul mates and all.”



Buffy smiled and nodded her agreement. “Yeah … soul mates,” she agreed with a sigh.

They stayed there for a few minutes more, each lost in their own thoughts, before Buffy brought up something she wasn’t sure Spike had thought of, that she hadn’t thought of herself immediately. “What about Angel?”

Spike cocked a brow at her. “Relative sure the other Spike can win out over the wanker. I did,” he answered.

Buffy shook her head. “No, that’s not what I mean. Last night you said the reason I remember is because I was dead when Spike changed things … well, so was Angel. William … that is … you dusted him there.”

“Did I?” Spike drawled, savoring the thought.

“Yeah … so … do you think he remembers that? And did you see Cordy? She was like … nuts – more nuts than she used to be,” Buffy continued. “If Angel remembers you dusting him …” Buffy’s voice trailed off and she shrugged.

“Then he might come looking for payback,” Spike filled in.

Buffy nodded. “And Cordy seems to have some kind of idea that I’m still interested in Angel. I have no idea why. I mean, where could she be getting that from?”


Spike shrugged. “Only one place: Angel.”


Buffy chewed on her bottom lip a moment. “Or Fred.”

Spike furrowed his brow. “Fred don’t strike me as one t’ carry tales.”



“I think Fred loves Angel … I mean, I know she’s with Wes ... and she seems to love him, but still, she refuses to leave A.I. and move here to be with him. What if she’s telling Cordy lies to maybe make her … you know, leave Angel? Maybe she thinks she could … step in if that happened,” Buffy suggested.

Spike shook his head. “I don’t think so, pet. Fred’s got too much … integrity for petty games like that.”

Buffy nodded. “You’re probably right. I just … we just need to be on our toes around them. Angel’s always been … unpredictable; now it looks like Cordy’s there with him. Mr. and Mrs. Cuckoo's Nest. Don’t they make a cute couple?”

Spike snorted softly. “Just add ‘em to the list, I reckon, pet. Unless you want to take ‘em out?” he asked hopefully. “Starting with the enormous git.”

“They have a son …” Buffy pointed out. “Wouldn’t really be fair to him, would it?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Might be better off as a bloody orphan. Less chance of going mental and joining the family business.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “We’ll just keep our guard up,” she concluded with a resigned sigh.

Spike nodded his grudging assent. He’d dusted Angel and didn’t even remember it. How twisted was that? He hadn't seen that on Buffy's little montage of 'life flashing before her eyes' either, so she must not have witnessed it either. Bugger.

“As much as I’d love to stay here all day, I need to check on ‘Kenz and find a toothbrush,” Buffy announced, stretching her arms over her head and yawning widely.

Spike nodded and released her. Buffy crawled out of his arms, pulled her shoes on, and headed out of the tent. The morning was dawning bright and clear, with just a few small tufts of cottony clouds against the lightening eastern sky. The air was still cool from the night and she took in a deep, cleansing breath. It felt fresh and clean and smelled of summer: newly-mown grass mingled with the sweet scent of roses and jasmine blooming, and just a hint of the wood still smoldering from the previous night in the fire-pit.

A new day – time to leave regrets behind. Spike had shown her something last night though. He showed her how her Slayerness could manipulate her into doing its bidding by wrapping its desires in righteousness. With the memories of the other dimension fresh in her mind, she vowed to not forget that lesson or be tricked by it again. She may need to trust her ‘mother instincts’ over her ‘Slayer instincts’ to keep her family safe. It wouldn’t be easy – she wasn’t even sure she could do it – but she promised herself she’d at least go into such decisions with eyes wide open. At least she could weigh the risks fairly now, without an unseen Slayer’s thumb on the back of the scale, tipping it to its advantage.



In the house, Willow and Tara were already up and had a big breakfast started. It looked to be enough to feed a small army, which was basically what was camped in their backyard. Buffy spoke with them for a few minutes as the dream that had awoken her came back to her mind. With information in hand, she headed upstairs and got MacKenzie up, changed, and dressed, then she headed for the phone.

“Giles! I didn’t wake you did I?” Buffy asked as soon as he answered.

“No … no … I’m quite used to waking up at the crack of bloody dawn,” he rasped back sarcastically.

“Ok, good,” Buffy replied brightly. She’d learned the ‘ignore the sarcasm’ trick from Anya – it saved a lot of time that would otherwise be spent insincerely apologizing for waking him up. “I need you to do me a favor…”

**~**

That evening, a little before sunset:

A little while after they'd fed the kids their dinner, Buffy came out of the house into the backyard carrying a picnic basket. She’d packed fresh strawberries, a loaf of fresh, crusty French bread from the bakery, some assorted meats and cheeses, and a sweet, white summer wine from a local vineyard.

She found Spike embroiled in a ruthless game of foursquare on the patio with Dani, JJ, and Annie. Billy was waiting his turn to rotate into the fray. As Buffy walked up, she watched Annie and Dani exchange a conspiratorial look before Annie slammed the ball down at her father’s feet. Spike jumped back, barely able to dodge it, and managed to return the ball into Dani’s square. With her father still off balance and nearly out of his square, Dani dropped a soft shot just over the line between her square and his. Spike lunged for it, nearly falling, and tapped it back to Dani – his only real option at that point. Before he could recover, Dani had slammed the ball past him into the back of his square, out of reach.

“No bloody fair,” Spike moaned as he watched Billy chase after it.

“Totally fair!” Annie and Dani chorused with glee. “You’re out!”

Spike pursed his lips and looked between the two conspirators. “What the bloody hell did I ever do t’ you?”

“Well, you told Clem about that … problem I had at the library,” Annie began, ticking ‘one’ on her fingers.

“And you embarrassed us at the mall when you jerked that boy’s pants up,” Dani added as Annie ticked ‘two’.

“Indecent, it was!” Spike defended. “Showing ‘is soddin’ plaid knickers to the bloody world. Shoulda bought the git a belt … and used it on ‘im.”

“And you made me redo my book report two nights before it was due because you said the book I choose was too easy,” Annie added, ticking ‘three’.

“And you…” Dani began, but stopped when Spike held his hands up in surrender.


“Bloody ungrateful lot you are,” he moaned as he stepped out of his square and relinquished the number one spot to Dani.

“You ‘ear this rubbish?” he asked Buffy as she walked closer, jabbing his thumb back over his shoulder at the kids.

“Poor baby … welcome to fatherhood,” she cajoled, giving him a sympathetic look.

“C’mon, I’ve got just the thing to take your mind off your problems,” she continued, lifting the picnic basket up with one hand and extending her other hand towards him.

Spike looked at her a moment and she inclined her head towards the hill across the street, silently urging him to come with her.


“What about the bits?” he asked, looking back at the kids, who had started another round of their game.



“Willow and Tara will be out in a minute. They’ll be fine,” Buffy assured him.

Spike raised his brows. That was different. He’d been watching her all day, but they hadn’t really been able to talk much about last night and the memories that he’d helped her unleash. He hadn’t caught her sneaking off to cut herself, or found her in their tent crying for no reason, today.  That was a good sign, but he knew she wouldn’t just get over what had happened. She did seem more relaxed today than she had been in weeks, though; more like the old Buffy.

Buffy motioned with her head again and extended her hand further towards him. Spike looked back at the kids one more time, then saw the witches coming out of the house with MacKenzie and Eddie. He gave Buffy a smile, took her hand, and they started out for the hill.

They walked in silence, Buffy leading the way up the trail this time in the dwindling evening light. At the top, she sat the picnic basket down and walked over to the overlook where they could see the lake and Willow and Tara’s house.


Beyond that, the sun was setting, painting the sky with infinite shades of yellows, oranges, and reds. Spike stood behind her, wrapped his arms around her shoulders, and Buffy leaned back against his chest. They stood there in silence, watching the changing colors as if the sky were a living, breathing work of art. As the sun dropped lower, the reds faded into deep mauve near the horizon with layers of pink and peach reaching out into the twilight blue of the sky. As the sun drew further away, the sky was washed with a pale yellow, and finally all the warm colors gave way to an ever-darkening blue. It was amazing how fast the sun moved once it met the horizon. Did it move that quickly all the time, or had it just gotten impatient to start a new day on the other side of the world?

 

“What’s that star?” Buffy asked, pointing to a glittering spot on the western horizon that stood out brightly against the indigo blue of the sky.

“Evening Star …Venus,” Spike replied, nuzzling against her neck. “Goddess of Love.”

“Mmmmm,” Buffy moaned as his lips touched her neck and nibbled gently against her warm skin. “Fitting,” she murmured, reaching a hand up and laying it against his cheek. She closed her eyes and melted against him as he suckled and kissed her neck tenderly.

“Missed you, Buffy,” he murmured against her damp skin. Above them the stars began to sparkle brighter as the twilight sky faded from blue to black.

Buffy pulled away from his embrace and turned around to face him. “I’m so sorry,” she began, returning her hand to his cheek. “I should’ve … I should’ve known you would forgive me. I was just so scared. I didn’t know what I’d done; I just knew … it was bad.”


“I know, pet. Ya gotta know that I’ll love you until the end o’ time,” Spike assured her.

Buffy nodded shamefully. “I know … I just love you so much, I was terrified to take the chance. I was afraid to look inside the house … afraid to see – afraid to let you see.



“I never meant to hurt you,” she whispered apologetically.

Spike tilted his head, leaned his face against the warmth of her small hand, and closed his eyes. “I know,” he murmured, taking solace in her touch. He wished she had trusted him enough to let him help her sooner. But, he also understood her trepidation. How hard must it be to know something is wrong, but not be able to remember what it was?

“You need t’ have more faith in yourself, pet,” Spike said at last, opening his eyes and meeting her gaze. They shone like sparkling sapphires in the dwindling twilight, so full of love that it made Buffy’s breath catch in her throat. “I knew you’d never do anything t’ hurt me, pet – not intentional. You’re not Dru,” he pointed out with a quirk of a smile.

Buffy rolled her eyes, but let a small laugh escape her throat. She dropped her hand away from his face, trailing her fingers gently down his cheek and across his strong jaw, before pulling it away. “You probably thought I’d turned into her lately,” she admitted.

Spike shrugged noncommittally. “Naa…” he said at last, “… got a ways t’ go on the crazy scale ‘fore ya ring that bell.”

“Should I have tried harder?” Buffy wondered. “I’m sure there’s more crazy in here just waiting to come out,” she offered. She tilted her head to the side and banged her palm lightly against the side of her head, as if to knock more crazy out of her ear.

Spike smiled at her, but shook his head. “Got all the Slayer-crazy I can handle right ‘ere,” he admitted, stepping forward and jostling her in his arms before pulling her into a tight hug. “I love you, crazy an’ all.”

“Good thing you like insane women, Spike. Have you ever thought of getting help for that condition?” Buffy wondered as she wrapped her arms around him and leaned against him.

“Can’t teach an old dog new tricks, pet.”

“Well, it’s a good thing I like all your old tricks, then, isn’t it?” Buffy asked slyly as she raised her face up to his.
 
“It’s a good thing,” he agreed, dropping his lips towards hers. Suddenly, he jerked back and groaned. “Bloody hell! I sounded like Martha-jailbird-Stewart just then! You’ve driven me round the soddin’ bend, Slayer!”



Buffy laughed and slapped playfully at his chest. “Well, then it’s also a good thing I like ‘round the bend vampires, isn’t it?” she queried.

Spike growled lightly and pulled her body back against his, lifting her up onto tiptoes, before capturing her lips with a passionate kiss. That was a good thing, he agreed silently.

Buffy’s body dissolved against him and, for the first time in what seemed a very long time, the guilt and need to be punished did not surface when he kissed her. She moaned in pleasure and relief at the realization that, even though she still felt badly for her failures in that other dimension, it no longer controlled her. The strangle-hold it had had on her heart and soul had been released.


Her knight in shining armor … or Doc Martens and a well-worn, leather duster, as it were, had broken the evil spell. Unlike the fairy tales, it hadn’t been as simple as dropping a kiss on her lips – but that wasn’t surprising. Her life was no fairy tale. But her knight was just as real: he was her partner, her friend, her lover, her husband, her soul mate. He didn’t ride in and sweep the damsel off her feet, but rather stood by her, lending her the strength she needed to face her demons … and conquer them, just as she’d done for him in the past.



Her heart felt like it had sprouted wings and was lifting her up with it to heaven at that very moment.

When the kiss broke, Buffy pulled away and led Spike by the hand back to where she’d left the picnic basket. Away from the overlook, they could no longer see the houses around the lake or even the lake, for that matter – and no one, except perhaps a passing whip-poor-will, could see them.

Buffy pulled a dark blue, quilted coverlet out of the basket and spread it on the ground over top of the grass and summer wildflowers that made the hilltop their home. Then she turned to Spike and, without saying anything, began lifting his t-shirt up by the hem. Spike stilled her hands, clasping her wrists in his hands.
 
“Are you sure, pet? We don’t … if you’re still feelin’…” he stammered. He really didn’t know how to say that she didn’t need to pretend. If she wasn’t ready, if she needed more time to deal with everything, that was okay.

Buffy gave him a soft smile and shook her head. “For the first time in a while, I’m not … pretending.”

Spike loosened his grip on her wrists and Buffy pulled her hands, along with his t-shirt, up as he lifted his arms over his head. She tossed his shirt aside and let her fingers glide softly back down from his strong shoulders, across his pecs, and slowly over his abs to settle lightly on his belt.

Spike stood still, watching her. Her eyes followed her hands over his body. He could almost feel her drinking him in as her hands fluttered like angel wings across his skin. A shiver of desire skittered down his spine as he let her undress him. Her face was serene, outlined against the dimming sky as she unbuckled his belt. Gone was the edgy, tight-set jaw that she’d worn the last weeks. The stormy, angry feeling that she’d been projecting was replaced with something light and airy – like the proverbial breath of fresh air. Even her eyes seemed different. Their emerald depths sparkled in the light from the rising moon with a glint of mischievousness mixed in with smoldering desire. Spike felt himself relax, felt the tightness in his traps loosen, and the tension he’d been holding in his shoulders and upper-back fall away. His wife was back.

Buffy slid her hands down his outside thighs and his jeans dropped from his legs. His belt seemed to rejoice in its freedom, hitting the ground with a clatter, which sounded almost like applause, as the prong rattled loudly against the buckle.

Spike tried to step out of his jeans, but he still had his boots on, so the legs just caught on his feet and rose up with each step.

“Ooops,” Buffy laughed, dropping down to the ground in front of him. “I guess I’m out of practice,” she teased as she reached under his jeans and untied the laces of his boots so he could step out of them and his jeans at the same time. “I should’ve learned from William – start with the boots.”

“William, is it?” Spike asked, cocking a brow at her. “And when did ‘e get so bloody smart … and lucky?”

Buffy stood up and gave a small shrug. “Seems like … pretty much now, William,” Buffy teased, taking a step back and pulling her own shirt up and over her head.

Spike thought perhaps he needed to go back to Buffyland and pay more attention to the William bits in there. Thoughts of William didn’t last long, however, as she dropped her shirt in the pile of clothes. Her skin was smooth and creamy in the moonlight – except for the slash marks on her stomach. They still stood out slightly red against the lighter skin there.


Buffy saw him staring at them and her chest tightened. She wrapped her arms around her torso to hide them, and quickly turned away from him, putting her back to Spike. Tears welled in her eyes and she realized she should’ve waited … waited for those scars to fade. This was no good; he couldn’t look at her and not see the damage she’d inflicted on herself. She wanted to show him what he’d done – how he’d helped her escape that prison of fear and guilt, but instead she’d just reminded him of it. Reminded him of her failings; her infidelity.



Spike sighed and immediately wished he’d kept his eyes on something other than those marks on her stomach. And now he felt even worse, because on her back were the remnants of the whipping he’d inflicted on her only two nights ago. The welts had faded and nearly healed, but he could still see the white marks where new skin had grown back over the wounds. He stepped forward slowly and traced the crisscrossing lines on her back with a gentle finger.

Buffy had forgotten about those, and she cringed away from his touch as soon as she realized what he was doing. She bent down quickly and retrieved her shirt, then pulled it back on hurriedly as tears fell in silent rivers down her cheeks.

“Buffy,” Spike called in a gentle voice as she moved away from him, wiping her tears away with the back of her hand.

Buffy shook her head and started for the trailhead. “I’m sorry… I … shouldn’t’ve … sorry,” she muttered as she hurried away from him, her arms wrapped tightly around her torso, still trying to hide the scars even though she had her shirt on.



“Buffy, don’t, luv,” he called louder, moving to cut off her retreat. Spike darted in front of her and took both her shoulders in his hands. She stopped immediately. She didn’t fight him, but didn’t look up and meet his eyes either.



Spike released one hand from her shoulder and tilted her head up with one curled index finger under her chin. She looked past him, her eyes trained on the trees behind him – she couldn’t look him in eye.

“Buffy, I’m sorry, pet,” Spike began. “Didn’t mean t’ …” he sighed heavily, wrapped the arm that was on her shoulder around her, and pulled her against him. Buffy stumbled forward, taking a stiff step towards him as he wrapped both arms around her.

“Don’t go, pet. Don’t need t’ run anymore … not from me,” he whispered against the top of her head. “I know your scars, Buffy … inside and out. They don’t bother me – they’re what make you you. I’ve seen the best and worst of you – it’s not scarin’ me off, pet. You’re all that I have; you’re all that I want. I love all of you: all the scars, all the smiles, your tender heart and your fortitude, your strength, your courage, your triumphs … even your mistakes.”


Buffy clamped her eyes closed and nodded against his chest. “I love you too, Spike,” she whispered back, her breath warm and damp against the bare skin of his chest. “I wanted this night to be perfect – a new start … but …” Buffy’s voice broke and she shook her head against him.

Spike soothed her as she cried, running a hand gently through her long, golden tresses and down her back. “We don’t need a new start, pet. Wouldn’t trade the years with you and the bits for the world. We don’t need t’ start over – just keep movin’. That’s all we can do – hold on and keep movin’ – the both of us … together.”



Buffy took in a deep, shuddering breath and finally looked up at him. “I really wanted to make love to you here tonight … under the stars and the moon. Just … hold you and love you. I missed that … I missed your tenderness.”

Spike gently wiped a tear from her cheek with the pad of his thumb. “Well, ya got m’ lily white ass shining here in the moonlight. Reckon it’s up to you what you want t’ do with it,” he teased lightly, giving her a small smile.

Buffy pulled back slightly and looked him up and down, finally settling her gaze back on his eyes and returned his smile. “I suppose the least I could do is buy you a drink … now that I’ve got your clothes on the ground.”

They walked back over to the quilt Buffy had spread on the ground and they both sat down. Buffy pulled out the wine and a corkscrew and handed them both to Spike as she got out a couple of glasses and the container of fresh strawberries.


Spike leaned back against the picnic basket. Buffy sat between his legs, leaned against his chest, and held the glasses up. Reaching around her, Spike poured them some wine and then Buffy opened the container of strawberries. When the aroma of the sweet berries hit her, it reminded her immediately of the day she’d dreamt of in the Common with William and the children.



“How much could you see … of what happened … before?” she asked tentatively.

Spike shrugged behind her and took a sip of the wine. “Enough to piece most o’ it t’gether, I reckon.”

“We shared a dream – when you were trapped in the octopus. Instead of telling William that I couldn’t stay, I lied and said that I could. And then … I did. We had a picnic in the Common, you and me, Anne, Bess, William Jr., and Wanda… MacKenzie was named Wanda there. It was a magical day. I taught you all how to do the hokey-pokey right there in the Common,” Buffy reminisced as she took a bite of one of the juicy berries.

“Did ya now? Made William into a right ponce, I reckon,” Spike observed, taking one of the strawberries for himself.

Buffy laughed, leaned slightly to her left, and turned her face to the side to look at him. “No more than you.”

 “I can state with certainty that I have never, nor would I ever, do the hokey-pokey in the bloody park, luv,” Spike contended.
 
Buffy smiled and leaned back against him again, taking a sip of her wine and laying a hand on his thigh. She began to draw lazy circles on his skin as she talked. “I wonder what would’ve happened if I had lied that night. Rack said I had twenty-four hours at most – but it wasn’t Rack that got me there, it was Wanda. I wonder …” Buffy sighed and shook her head.

“Back t’ wanting a ‘normal life’, pet?” Spike asked softly.

She nodded and her hair flowed softly against his shoulder with the movement. She took another sip of wine and sighed again. “I know … I know that was a dream and … I probably would’ve gotten … restless. But I can’t help but wonder now what might’ve happened if I’d … stayed.

“Providing Angelus didn’t show up, of course,” she added dourly.

“Ya know what I think, pet?” Spike asked, picking up another strawberry and holding it up to her lips.

“What?” she asked before biting down on the sweet treat, taking half of it.



“I think William woulda been the happiest, and luckiest, man in the bloody world.”

A slight blush rose to Buffy’s cheeks and she smiled, half from embarrassment and half with smug satisfaction. “I think William always had Spike inside him, he just needed someone to let him … you know, show it. I don’t mean he was, well, evil at all, I just mean he had so much to share, so much imagination and heart, but no one would let him be himself … until Dru came along.”

Spike swallowed a lump in his throat and gave the arm he had wrapped around her a squeeze. “When’d you get ta be so insightful, Slayer?”

Buffy shrugged. “I spent a lot of time with William. We … bonded.”

“Did ya now?” Spike questioned, cocking a brow at her. “I reckon you taught him a thing or two ‘bout imagination and heart then.”

Buffy shook her head. “No … he taught me. He taught me about bravery and what it is to love and trust someone so deeply that you’d …” Buffy sniffed back her tears and wiped at her eyes, remembering first William, then Spike, insisting on staying behind on the Reefer to keep the Reds from pursuing her, Bess, and Gift-less!Spike.

She turned and leaned to the side, and looked at her husband. “William’s a good man, Spike. You’re a good man, and I love you more than life itself.”



Spike tilted his head and considered her a moment before saying, in William’s proper Oxford English, “And you, my dear Avengelyne, are my heart. Without you I’d be lost in a desolate world without hope or love … an empty husk.”

Buffy gave him a sad smile. Hearing him talk like that and call her ‘Avengelyne’ made her miss William deeply. It felt strange, as if she loved two men at once; each different and yet each so very much the same. She wondered if somewhere, in the vast universe of dimensions, there was one where she lied to William and told him that she would stay with him forever … and then she did. Buffy imagined a world where she’d stayed and, together, they’d kept their children safe. She could see them living a normal, happy life, and growing very old together. Then, when their mission was done, their children grown with families of their own, she and William would move on together. They’d fall asleep and never wake up – passing peacefully as they dreamt, in the nude, wrapped in each other’s arms. It warmed her heart to think there was such a place.

Her smile widened and she chuckled to herself as she thought of a shocked and appalled undertaker that would’ve been called to remove their most improper corpses. She’d be a bad influence on William right to the very end. They’d probably have to be buried in the ‘social lepers’ section of the cemetery.

As if reading her mind, Spike leaned near her ear and whispered, “He’s always ‘ere, luv. Just inside, lookin’ out at ‘is angel.”

Buffy turned back to Spike, her bemused smile softening into one of love and understanding. “Then I guess we’re stuck with each other … the three of us, huh?”

“Like bloody glue,” Spike agreed, returning her smile.

Buffy wriggled closer against him and settled back against his chest again. Spike set his glass down and wrapped both arms around her, pulling her even closer.

Buffy leaned her head back against his shoulder and to the side, resting the side of her head against his cheek, and closed her eyes. “You feel so good,” she murmured to him, practically purring.


“You do too, luv,” Spike replied as he dropped his mouth down and placed a tender kiss on her shoulder. Buffy tilted her head to the other side and let her hair fall away in silent invitation for him to continue.  Spike brushed a soft kiss against her neck, lingering on that special spot behind her ear.



Buffy moaned and shifted her body, pushing back even harder against him. His erection, which she’d effectively squelched with her tears earlier, began to swell again against her back.

Spike unwrapped his arms from around her and pulled her shirt up from the hem. Buffy tentatively lifted her arms and let him pull it off her. Spike resumed his exploration of her skin with his lips, dropping her bra straps off her shoulders, intent on kissing every square inch of her. Buffy unhooked her bra with the front snap and let it fall away. She steeled her nerve with Spike’s earlier assurances, gathered her long hair up with one hand, and exposed her back to him.

Spike bit his bottom lip as he looked at the marks across her back – marks that he’d put on her tender skin. He didn’t hesitate long, though – dropping his mouth down and kissing one that began at the base of her neck and ran over to the left shoulder-blade. He caressed the length of it with his mouth and tongue, then started on the next as Buffy leaned forward and exposed all her scars to him. Not that he hadn’t seen them – hell, she’d forced him to put them there, but now she was ashamed of them and ashamed of making him do that. The physical marks would soon fade, she knew, but she’d always regret putting him in that untenable, heart-wrenching position.

“Let it go, pet,” he whispered to her. “Can’t move forward dragging all those regrets … they’ll pull ya under.”

Buffy nodded and let out the breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding, then took in another deep breath and let it out slowly, imagining the regrets flowing out of her body with the air. 

It didn’t completely work, but it helped enough for her to relax and shift her concentration to the sensation of Spike’s lips against her skin, which was infinitely more enjoyable. She inhaled again and allowed a low moan to flow out with the air. Buffy put her mind and body in Spike’s capable hands and focused on the moment – not the past, not the future, but the now. And right now her husband’s hands were roaming gently over her arms and sides, and his lips and tongue were lighting small flames of tingling desire up and down her spine.

Spike worked his way back up to her shoulder and neck. He then nuzzled against her ear, burying his face in her soft mane of gold, which shimmered in the bright moonlight.

“Love you,” he murmured into her ear. Buffy shivered as his words and his cool breath against her skin combined to create a blissful harmony for her senses.


She turned her head and body slightly to the side, letting her hair fall, and laying a hand on his cheek. She lifted her lips to his hesitantly, shyly – as if it were their first kiss. The kiss was soft and gentle, made up of small nibbles and darting tongues; slow and silky and sensuous. Buffy turned in his lap, straddling his hips with her legs, wrapped her arms around his neck, and the kiss resumed. It seemed to last for hours, sometimes little more than parted lips barely touching the other, breath mingling in the cool evening air. There was no rush, no panicked fervor, which didn’t mean there was no desire or passion.



This seemingly eternal kiss was a reconnecting of their souls, each once again fully exposed to the other. With no secrets lurking in the darkest corners, they could finally touch each other again without reservation or guilt. They could once again give themselves to the other completely: mind, body, spirit.

Spike turned them on the quilt and laid Buffy down onto her back next to the spot where they’d been sitting. It was a slow, gentle shift that barely rustled the grass beneath them. He came over with her, his body flowing with her as if they were one, and ended up atop her, their lips still tasting and teasing the other’s.

Spike slid down her body, nibbling his way across her jaw, to her neck, then to her collarbone. Supporting himself over her with one arm, his other trailed silkily down from her shoulder and circled a full breast so gently that his fingers felt like nothing more than wispy feathers against her heated skin.

As his hand circled one hard nipple, his mouth and tongue found the other. His tongue left a cool, damp trail on her hot skin and chill bumps sparked and washed over her, tingling through her whole body. The small hairs on her arms stood on end, as did the hair at the nape of her neck, as he continued ever so slowly touching and kissing her with the gentleness of a soft breeze. Buffy shivered with desire as her heart pounded furiously in her chest. The thundering of her heart reverberated through her whole body like a giant kettledrum building in an ever-quickening roll to a fantastic crescendo.

Buffy tangled her hands in Spike’s hair as he enveloped her in his slow, sensuous love spell. She hadn’t realized how much she’d missed this. In her lust for punishment, she’d forgotten how he could build her desire so high, until that drum-roll literally exploded in a frantic crescendo of blissful cymbals. She longed for the climax, longed to hear and feel it crash down over her, but at the same time the anticipation was nearly as sweet. It was a completely different kind of torture, sweet and absolutely luscious … like being completely engulfed in something ambrosial. It was like drowning in an airy, yet decadently rich, soft, and velvety chocolate mousse – not anything you’d ever want to escape from.

Spike moved down further, trailing his hand and mouth across her ribcage then down to the flat of her stomach. This time, he didn’t hesitate when the scars from her self-inflicted wounds came into his field of vision. He touched a kiss down on each long, thin line, wishing all the while that the simple gesture could take the hurt away. But, unlike a child’s skinned knee, he knew Buffy’s hurt went much deeper.



As Spike sat back slightly and his hands moved to the button on her shorts, something occurred to him. He’d told her he didn’t blame her, he’d told her he loved her, he’d told her he always would –but he never told her he forgave her for what had happened. But how could he tell her she was forgiven if he didn’t blame her for any of it? The problem was, she still blamed herself. That wasn’t going to just go away because Dr. Spike, Slayer Psychologist, said so.

Buffy lifted her hips up off the quilt and Spike slid her shorts and thong down, trailing his hands down her legs, which were tanned an even darker golden than normal by the last days spent with the children in the lake. Buffy kicked her sandals off and lifted her legs up so he wouldn’t have to move completely off their blanket in order to finish disrobing her. Spike pulled her shorts off over her bare feet and tossed them to the side with the rest of their clothes.

Spike took a moment to look at her in the moonlight. She was as thin as he’d ever seen her. He kinda missed the bit of ‘baby-fat’ that she’d been wearing proudly since the C-section that was needed to birth Billy. He’d always seen that as kind of a badge of honor – she’d earned it, very nearly paying with her life when the twins were born. But, even thinner and with the scars of her latest ordeal still on her skin, she was absolutely resplendent as she lay before him, bathed in the soft glow of the moon.

Spike felt a sudden rush of emotion fill his heart with a new wave of adoration for his fallen angel. He never knew anyone who tried so hard to do the right thing, or beat themselves up, quite literally this time, when their best was judged to be unworthy. Simon Cowell would’ve made a more generous and compassionate judge than the one that reigned over her: the Slayer herself. Maybe there was something for him to forgive, after all: her pitiless and harsh judgment of herself.

Buffy wrapped her legs around his waist and began pulling him back towards her, breaking him out of his naked Slayer/fallen angel induced hypnosis.

Spike let her pull him towards her, putting his hands down on each side of her body and walking them forward. He moved silkily, like a prowling cougar, until his body was over hers and their gazes met.




Buffy’s legs were still wrapped around his hips, and she could feel his erection pressing hard and cool against her soft, warm flesh. She laced her arms around his neck, holding his sparkling, azure eyes captive with hers and said simply, “Penny.”

A small smile quirked the corners of Spike’s mouth. “Might get the short end o’ that bargain, Slayer,” he warned.

Buffy shrugged. “My penny.”

The smile slowly faded from Spike’s lips and he swallowed hard, but never broke eye contact with her. “I forgive you, Buffy,” he said at last, sotto voce.

Buffy bit her bottom lip and nodded, blinking back the tears that glistened in her eyes. “Thank you,” she whispered back. “Thank you for saying it.”

Spike leaned down, the muscles in his arms bulging as he bent them, and dropped his mouth near her ear. “Forgive yourself, luv.”

Buffy swallowed hard and nodded, then pulled him down against her so his body was lying atop hers. She wrapped her arms around him tighter, and he snaked his arms around her shoulders and under her.

Spike could feel her heart thudding against his chest and her chest fall and rise beneath him with every breath. She was holding him so tightly with arms and legs that he doubted he could escape even if he’d wanted to.

Buffy took comfort in his body against hers, but it was his words that had released a flood of emotion from somewhere deep inside. She could feel the love and sincerity in his words – he really did forgive her. She felt her soul sigh in relief, as if it had just gotten the message that he’d been trying to send her since the previous night: he loved her and he forgave her.

Knowing that gave her the courage to forgive herself – but she knew she could never forget. She needed to always remember what had happened. She needed to always see her Slayer impulses for what they were: self-serving compulsions wrapped in righteousness. She needed to remember that so she could weigh them accordingly in the future.

Buffy turned her face until her mouth was right against his ear. “Make love to me, Spike,” she murmured softly as she loosened the grip she had on him with her arms and legs.

Spike pushed up slightly and captured her lips with a gentle kiss. They teased and tasted each other with lips and tongues dancing together to music only they could hear. Like a soldier returning after being away from her husband for too long, the kiss had the familiarity and comfort of a long-married couple mingled with the excitement of teenagers stealing their first kiss in the backseat.

Spike lifted his hips, pushing his lower half away from her enough for her to reach between them. Buffy slid his erection down from where it had been trapped between their bodies, across her clit, and between her damp pussy lips. With that same familiarity of something that they’d done innumerable times before, Spike pressed forward and slid slowly into her.

The excited rush of it feeling like their first time washed over them both as Buffy, for the first time in a long while, let him set a slow and sensuous pace.

They both gasped against each other’s lips as Spike pressed in and her sugar walls engulfed the head of his cock, wrapping around him in a strong embrace. Spike’s eyes closed and he stopped moving before resting his forehead against hers for a few moments. He stayed motionless, savoring the feeling of her body under him, the sound of her breathless gasps of anticipation, and the thudding of her heart.

Buffy loosened her grip on his neck and ran her fingertips slowly up and down his back, relishing the feel of his silky skin over hard, bulging muscles. She cupped her hands around the globes of his ass and fondled them gently before tickling her fingers back up towards his shoulders, dancing over the hills and valleys of bone and muscle above her.

Despite the need that pulsed within her for him to plunge in completely, she found herself enjoying the anticipation that was building. Her pussy throbbed around his hardness, beckoning him into its hot, undulating depths. The longer he waited, teasing her with only the mushroomed head within her, the stronger her need grew.


She fought the desire to pull him with her legs, unwilling to break the spell he’d been weaving for what seemed like hours now. That deep, bass kettledrum began to reverberate through her body again as her heart raced in her chest and her breathing became labored, despite the fact that neither of them was actually moving. She was fairly certain that the whole valley down below them could hear that drum thudding within her. To her ears it seemed to be a decibel or two louder than a Metallica concert.

Finally, Spike pulled his forehead from hers and opened his eyes. Below him, Buffy opened hers and they gazed into each other’s souls as he began to move again. His hips moved excruciatingly slowly as his hardness pushed into her. It was at once heaven and hell, and the blissful frustration of it made Buffy’s breath catch in her throat.



When Spike’s pubic bone touched down onto her clit, Buffy’s eyelids fluttered and she took a sharp inhalation of breath as a small orgasm tittered through her body. Her skin flushed with perspiration and chill bumps as the heat building within her met the cool night air. Her whole body tingled with pleasure which washed out from her core like waves lapping lazily on a sandy beach.

When the euphoria waned enough for her to focus again, she was met with blue pools of love looking down on her. Spike’s eyes glistened in the soft moonlight and Buffy thought, for just a moment, she saw William looking out at her from deep inside.

“Welcome back, luv,” Spike whispered to her, dropping down to his elbows and resting his body against hers. “Missed you so much.”

“I missed me too,” Buffy admitted as she wrapped her arms around him tighter. “Thank you for finding me. You’re the only one who would’ve even known where to look.”

Spike’s heart swelled as he tangled his fingers in her long, silky mane of gold and began dropping soft kisses over her face. “Love you so much, Buffy,” he murmured softly. “Feel so good, you do. Like heaven, you are. William’s angel brought a bit o’ heaven back with ‘er, I reckon,” he continued to murmur to her between kisses.

A smile lit Buffy’s face as Spike rained kisses down on her. She’d forgotten how wonderful it felt to have him whispering those sweet nothings to her.  But he was wrong – he was the one making her feel like she’d been transported back to heaven.

“I love you so much, baby,” Buffy whispered back. “It doesn’t seem like enough to say … but it’s all I have.”

“It’s all I need, pet,” Spike assured her as he pushed back, straightening his arms and rising up onto his hands. He began moving his hips against her, pulling out just as slowly as he’d pressed in.

They kept their rhythm slow and gentle there on the hilltop under the stars. Between kisses, soft murmurings of tenderness and devotion punctuated their enchanted dance. There was no hurry, no frenzied fervor to the night. There were two bodies, two souls, two hearts, moving together as one, giving pleasure and love to the other. There were gentle caresses in the moonlight, there were times when the movement of their bodies nearly stopped, there were loving nibbles of earlobes, and fingers tangled in soft tresses.

They made love in the most literal way possible, each weaving a spell around the other with whispers and moans and gentle touches, as their anticipation lifted them both higher and higher.  It was a magical night: a night of reconnecting and new beginnings, a night to remind each other ‘why’. Why they battle. Why they struggle. Why they try. It was a night to remind each other of the love they share and of the unconditional bond that ties them together ‘for as long as they both shall live and beyond.’



As the lights from the houses around the lake blinked out below them, the stars in the night sky seemed to multiply exponentially. The far-off sound of tires humming on pavement slowly died to a low murmur and gave way to the sounds of nature. A distant whip-poor-will called out through the forest and a killdeer trilled its name in a high-pitched cry from the sky above them. Crickets chirped and frogs croaked, occasionally a startled heron would give a shrill cry from the lakeside, and somewhere very far away, a lone wolf howled a haunting refrain. And, at the center of it all, the lovers made love.

With the stars in the sky twinkling even brighter above them, Buffy and Spike lifted each other up to dance among them. Their rhythm slowly built as the need inside them expanded and demanded to be satisfied. The passion within them grew from a low simmer to a rolling boil until it overflowed and burned them both with its ferocity. Their moans and whispers became urgent pleas and declarations; their gentle movements became feral as they crossed over and joined in with the creatures of the night, leaving the sleepy, civilized world behind them.

Their souls soared on the wings of their passion as their bodies poured every ounce of untamed desire into their dance. Spike slammed his hips down onto hers, thrusting hard and deep, touching her core with every stroke and stoking the flames ever higher. Buffy writhed and jerked her hips up to meet him, digging her heels into the backs of his thighs and her nails into his ass as she pulled him deeper and deeper into her.

The anticipation that had been building for so long was at last fulfilled as they took each other up past the stars. Their passion boiled up from deep within them and finally exploded into the darkness that spread out beyond the edges of the universe. In the moment of eruption, they both poured every ounce of euphoria and ecstasy they had out through the bond and into each other. They smothered each other’s cries with a tempestuous kiss as the bliss of the other flowed across the bond between them. Like an infinite reflection between two parallel mirrors, their rapture multiplied as it bounced back and forth in a seemingly unending spiral.

Buffy clung to Spike as the law of gravity seemed to suddenly become optional. She felt like she was floating, soaring, flying, gliding. Bright lights flashed behind her closed lids as all of Spike’s love and passion flowed into her in a brutally beautiful blaze of euphoria. She could feel it all – every single drop of love he had for her flooded her senses and sent her mind and body reeling. And for every ounce he gave, she gave back just as much.

As their cum surged out of their bodies, their love surged out of their hearts, and their bliss out of their souls, until it was hard to tell where one lover stopped and the other began. It was more than a physical release, more than telling the other person that they were loved – it was allowing them to feel what was in the other’s heart for themselves. In that moment all defenses were shattered. All that was left were raw, un-censored, pure emotions laid out naked and vulnerable at the feet of the other.  It was powerful enough to break the law of gravity … and any one of a dozen other natural laws, and perhaps a few unnatural ones, as well.

Feeling about to pass out, Buffy finally broke the kiss with a gasp, pulling in a lungful of cool night air. The bond between them seemed to close with a palpable ‘pop’ and she regretted the law that said she needed to breathe couldn’t have been bent for a while longer. Even Spike seemed to need to breathe though, and he didn’t complain as his chest heaved with deep inhalations of his own.


The entire world seemed to have been holding its breath. Everything around them was still and quiet – not even the crickets chirped their never-ending background music of the night. The only sounds that could be heard were the labored breaths coming from the hilltop as two souls clung to one another and reveled in the pure, powerful emotions they’d just shared. If there had been any doubt before in either of their minds, there was not a shred left now. There was nothing to forgive; there was no need for guilt or self-recrimination. Their love was still as strong as it had ever been.

After some time, the reverent silence was finally broken by the whip-poor-will once again singing its familiar refrain for them. Then the crickets and the frogs joined in and slowly the night was once again filled with the sounds of the creatures that owned it.

The night creatures on the hilltop melted together without another word. The rising refrain of nature’s symphony washed over their trembling, spent bodies and lulled them into a peaceful, easy sleep under the stars, which were starting to fade in the pre-dawn sky.



**~**

{{  Click here to hear Anticipation by Carly Simon on YouTube  }}

We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway
And I wonder if I'm really with you now
Or just chasing after some finer day.x

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

And I tell you how easy it feels to be with you
And how right your arms feel around me.
Oh, I, I rehearsed those words just late last night
When I was thinking about how right tonight might be.

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

And tomorrow we might not be together
I'm no prophet, I don't know nature’s way
So I'll try to see into your eyes right now
And stay right here, 'cause these are the good ole days.
 
These are the good ole days
And stay right here, 'cause these are the good ole days.
These are the good ole days
These are the good ole days
These are the good ole days
These are the good ole days

End Notes:
There's good news and bad news to be had next. Which will Buffy want first? Then Buffy stands up to the CGC about signing on with the FBI. Will she win that battle, or will they over-rule her and take the retainer money? Later, Sue-Ann comes for a visit and acquires a not-so-secret admirer.
Big Boy Toys by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Some good news, some bad news, and life goes on. Spike and Buffy meet Sammy and Sue-Ann when they come to town for the Slayer Olympics. Just how will the two disparate 'big boys' get on?
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the last moment.

 

**~**

Next day. Mid-morning, Wednesday, July 6th, 2011:

“Did the mail come yet?” Buffy asked for the tenth time that morning. Despite the lack of actual sleep the previous night, she felt wired, a little nervous, and well, giddy, all at the same time. She and Spike had gotten back to their tent a little after sunrise. They’d been able to get a couple more hours sleep before the kids had succeeded in making enough noise to literally wake the dead.

“No … I don’t think so,” Tara answered as she put up the dishes from the morning’s meal. “What are you expecting, anyway?”



Buffy’s eyes went wide. “Expecting? Oh … uh … nothing really. Just something … from … uhhh … Giles. It’s the whole … FBI thing,” Buffy stammered unconvincingly, waving a hand dismissively.

Tara gave her a sideways glance as she took the last dish from the dishwasher and put it away. “So … are you gonna approve that retainer contract with them then?”

“With who?” Buffy asked distractedly as she finished making sandwiches for the kids to eat as snacks or lunch later.



“The FBI,” Tara reminded her.

“Oh, right! No. The rest of the CGC will have to overrule me on that if they want that money. I’ll never sign it. You can’t trust the government to watch your back,” Buffy explained. “They’ll throw you to the big sea monster like a nummy treat and then just drive away … hasta la pasta.” She raised her voice to a falsetto on the last part, waving a hand and looking back over her shoulder as if driving away from someone. “They’ll leave you there to drown and don’t give a shit. Assholes,” Buffy groused.

Tara looked at her with confusion. “Because they haven’t paid you yet? You know, the government can be kinda slow … you know, lots of red tape and all.”

“No – I’m sure they’ll pay. I just … it’s complicated. Just trust me when I say, I don’t think it would be a good idea to be at their beck and call. The Council should be independent, not in the FBI’s pocket – regardless of the money they want to toss at us.

“Oh! Is that the mail?” Buffy questioned for the eleventh time, straining to look out the window to see the mailbox on the street from the kitchen. “YES!” she exclaimed when she saw the mail truck stop. “Be right back!” she told Tara as she tore out of the kitchen in a fast jog.

Buffy’s heart was stampeding in her chest when she got back in with the package from Giles. Everyone except her and Tara were outside playing or relaxing in the backyard. Buffy hurriedly put all the sandwiches she’d made in the refrigerator and then shuffled Tara outside to join the others. Alone, Buffy set the box down on the counter and began opening it with shaking fingers. “Please be it … please be it,” she muttered to herself as she tore the Express Mail box to shreds with her bare hands.

“Thank you, God,” she breathed, momentarily closing her eyes and raising her face to the heavens as relief flooded through her. She picked the item up and opened it carefully. It was perfect – it was unharmed and it looked unchanged. Perfect. “About fucking time something went right.”

Outside, Buffy shouted and had everyone join her on the stone patio. The older kids were playing a ruthless, boisterous game of badminton. Spike and ‘Kenzie were refereeing the kid’s grudge match while Willow and Tara relaxed on the dock with Eddie. When everyone gathered near her and got relatively quiet, Buffy began, barely able to contain her excitement.

“Ok, Willow, you know how I asked you yesterday about the vault at the Council building and how the magical wards and charms worked that you put on it?” Buffy began.

“Yeah…” Willow answered, not sure where this was heading.

“And you said that, in theory, things in there were protected from all outside magic – definitely from attack and detection, but you weren’t sure about time rifts or reality shifts…” Buffy continued.

“Yeah…” Willow agreed slowly.

Buffy smiled widely. “I can now tell you that they do guard against reality shifts too,” she announced brightly.



Buffy’s eyes flicked momentarily to Spike, then back to the witches. “There was a … thing that happened a while back and … well … it’s complicated, but the bottom line is no one remembers it but me ... and maybe Angel. What had been reality isn’t anymore … BUT, during that time that now didn’t happen, Annie found something wonderful, and Willow, you suggested we put it in the magically charmed vault.”

“I did?” Annie asked looking surprised. “What did I find – a million dollars?”

Buffy smiled at her. “No – something even better. Something money can’t buy.”

From behind her back, Buffy pulled out the scroll from the other dimension. Everyone except Spike just looked at her blankly, not understanding what it was. Spike’s eyes went wide when he saw it – he well remembered it from the ‘movies’ that he’d seen in her subconscious.



“It’s the code that unlocks the book … it’s the key to the Gem of Amarra,” Buffy explained excitedly looking from Spike to Annie to Willow.

“It is?!”
“What!?”
I found it?”
“Where did it come from?”

Buffy beamed as she set it down. She opened the protective silver cover and pulled out several rolled pages of delicate parchment from inside. “Get the book … see if it works!” she suggested to Willow excitedly.

Willow looked at the sky and then back at Buffy. “Maybe we should take it inside; I’d hate for a seagull to come along and poop on it or something… that would be just our luck.”



Buffy laughed, but rolled it back up and put the pages away, agreeing that that would be their luck. They all hurried inside to retrieve the book, which was written in a code that they’d been trying to crack for months.

**~**

While the younger children played a video game downstairs, Buffy and Spike paced nervously back and forth in the hallway outside Willow’s office as if they were waiting on the birth of their first grandchild. Willow, Annie, and Tara were in the office working on translating the book – or at least the part that seemed to talk about how to create the Gem of Amarra. They’d long since kicked Buffy and Spike out of the room – they were making everyone crazy.

Finally, after what seemed days, but was only about an hour, Willow opened the door, a triumphant smile on her face as she waved a paper back and forth in the air.



“It works!? You did it!?” Buffy gasped as she and Spike stopped their pacing and rushed over to her.

“It works! It definitely decodes the book,” Willow agreed, happily. Then her face sobered slightly. “There is one small hitch,” she added.

“Hitch? No … no hitch – don’t say hitch,” Buffy sputtered, shaking her head in denial.

“There’s always a bloody hitch,” Spike groaned. “Let’s ‘ere it, then, Red. Gotta have the head of a Pterodactyl or the tooth of a tooth-less ogre?”

Willow shook her head and waved the paper in her hand back and forth. “No – or, well … I don’t know. The scroll decodes the book, but it doesn’t translate it to English … or any language we know. We still have to translate it before we can even see what’s required for the spell.”

Buffy’s heart fell. “Just for the record, I hate hitches.”

**~**

Over the next few days, Willow, Tara, and Annie would spend a couple of hours every night working on decoding the book and trying to figure out what language it was written in. Once they got the part that appeared to be the actual spell decoded, they tried to translate the text using a translation memory system that Willow had access to at work. The system found no language in its database that matched any of the words or phrases in the text. Willow thought perhaps a larger sample would help since ingredients in a magical spell might not be the most common words to try and find. So, after getting the spell itself decoded, the three of them each took a different section of the book and began decoding it in hopes that something would trigger a hit with the software.

Nothing did.

“It might be alien,” Willow suggested to Buffy and Spike a couple of days later, the night before the Weckerlys were to leave and go back to Sunnydale. “Maybe they left it with the Egyptians or the Aztecs when they helped them build the pyramids.”



Buffy gave her a disbelieving look while Spike frowned at the witch.

“Or … or maybe it’s from another dimension,” Willow added hastily, not wanting to get into a discussion about the existence of aliens. “You said the vampires that had it were from Glory’s hell dimension, right? Maybe it’s some language from there.”

Buffy sighed. “I don’t actually know what hell dimension they were from. Giles said the portal that Glory wanted to open would’ve ripped the fabric between all dimensions, so God only knows…”

Willow nodded thoughtfully. “Well, all we can do is decode it, then Annie and I can try working different translation algorithms on it – looking for common words and trying to match them up with common English words and piece it together,” Willow suggested. “It won’t be fast and …” Willow sighed. “It may not even be possible. If their syntax is totally different than ours, then we’d just be fumbling in the dark.”

Buffy sighed and nodded. “We appreciate everything you’ve done. I was really hoping Bess could have the Gem for the Olympics at the end of August so she could compete in the daylight.”

“She’ll ‘ave it,” Spike interjected, laying a hand on the side of his abdomen where the Gem was embedded into his body.



Buffy looked at him gravely, but didn’t argue. She knew it would do no good to argue with him. “Maybe we need to put the Gem back into a ring or a necklace or something so they can share it without major surgery,” she suggested, looking back at Willow.

“Buttercup can’t wear bloody jewelry during a competition, luv,” Spike pointed out.

Buffy chewed her lip. That was true – jewelry wasn’t allowed, it could be dangerous if it got caught on something.

“Maybe we could inject it right under the skin, like the way they microchip dogs,” Willow suggested. “At least it wouldn’t be major surgery to get back out … just, you know … minor surgery.”

Spike scowled at her. “Not sure I like bein’ compared to a mangy cur.”

“Oh, honey – we’d never compare you to anything mangy,” Buffy assured him. “You’re more of a … cute, cuddly Spaniel I’d say – wouldn’t you, Wills?”

Willow snorted softly. “Bloodhound would be more fitting.”

**~**

Monday, July 18th, 2011, Council Governing Committee meeting:



“And I’m telling you that being in anyone’s pocket is a very bad idea,” Buffy argued for what seemed the hundredth time in the last hour. “What if the next thing they want us to do is infiltrate al-Qaeda or … steal military secrets from Iran, or disable North Korea’s nuclear reactors? How do we tell them ‘no’ if we’re on retainer to them?”

Giles sighed. “Buffy, if you would simply read the contract, you’d see that our involvement is strictly limited to missions that require a rescue, where human life is at risk.”

“Yeah, and what would stop them from saying that the ‘Axis of Evil’ is on the verge of launching bombs at us just to make us go over there and disarm them? When you own the information, you can twist it however you want – and they own the information!” Buffy asserted. “We don’t need their money! Anya’s got the grants coming in and we’ve got the money from this last mission to invest.

That took them long enough to finally pay…” she groused sourly, before pleading, “Please, Giles, trust me – this is a ginormously bad idea. They can’t be trusted to cover our backs. We’re expendable to them … we can’t trust them.”

“I was quite hoping it wouldn’t come to this, but we could simply out-vote you, Buffy,” Giles reminded her.

Buffy knew that was true. She had the other Slayers on her side, but hadn’t been able to convince any of the Watchers of the dangers. If they voted as it was now, it would be up to Fred to break the tie between Watchers and Slayers and Buffy got the idea that Giles already knew how Fred would vote on this – with him.

“Giles, I’m not doing this just to be a pain in the ass,” Buffy told him solemnly. “You know me, and you know when I say something is a bad idea, it’s a bad idea.”

Giles studied her a moment, then asked, “Is this the Slayer talking or the wife and mother?”



Buffy bit her bottom lip a moment as she held his gaze unwaveringly. “All three.”

Slayer and Watcher stared at each other, unblinking, for several seconds as years of trust and loyalty was tested. Giles broke eye contact first and cleared his throat. “Very well, then. I believe I will have to side with the Slayers on this issue,” he announced to the others in the meeting. “I cannot approve the retainer contract with the government.”

A cacophony of surprised objections rang out from the Watchers’ side of the table and Giles looked back at Buffy. She gave him a small smile and nodded, assuring him that he’d done the right thing.

(A month later) Friday, August 19th, 2011.

The summer seemed to have flown by and, before they knew it it was the end of August and the Slayer Olympic Games were upon them. They were scheduled to start the following Monday, and Slayers and Watchers from around the world were arriving for the event. Buffy had booked the entire Sunnydale Motor Inn for them. It wasn’t the most posh hotel in town, but it was the only one that the Council could afford to book full for ten days. It was also on the outskirts of town, which was a plus – she wouldn’t have dozens of Slayers walking around downtown drawing undue attention to themselves … she hoped.

Buffy had already heard through the ‘grapevine’ that a keg and toga party was scheduled for Saturday night. Perhaps she should’ve insisted that more Watchers come as chaperones rather than only one from each regional regiment of the Slayer army. On the other hand, sometimes the best camaraderie is built while wearing togas and drinking beer, and that was one of the points of the gathering: building trust and friendships among Slayers from different parts of the world.



There had been little progress with the translation of the Gem of Amarra book – the language it was written in remained a mystery. So, in order for Bess to compete in the sunlight, Buffy, with Giles’ help, had dug the Gem out of Spike’s abdomen. They’d then inserted it just under the skin on Bess’ back, between her shoulder-blades, like Willow had suggested.

Now, Buffy was busy on the phone, frantically trying to make a last minute change to the itinerary that was already at the printer’s. She was telling the Kinko’s guy to check his email, the new document was in his inbox waiting, when a bone-chilling shriek echoed through the whole house.

Buffy hung up quickly, still typing the change on the document as she stood up. She quickly clicked ‘save’, attached the document to the email, and hit ‘send’. Ok, so maybe it wasn’t actually in his inbox waiting for him – but it would be in a minute. She rushed out of her office, down the hall, and downstairs to see what was going on.

In the great room Bess was excitedly hugging a girl with long, strawberry-blonde hair. Both girls were squealing with excitement as they jumped up and down, never releasing their embrace. Then, a large, redheaded man came in the garden doors and stopped behind the girls. When Bess saw Sammy, she shrieked even louder, moved toward him, pulling Sue-Ann with her, and wrapped an arm around him too.

Buffy descended the stairs to join everyone else who had come running from all parts of the house to see what the screaming was about. Buffy and Spike made it to the front of the group just as Bess finally released her friends. She turned excitedly to Buffy and Spike, and breathlessly introduced her parents to Sue-Ann and Sue-Ann’s brother, Sammy.

Sue-Ann had had a growth spurt since Bess had last seen her almost nine months ago. She was taller than Bess now by nearly three inches and had more curves than she’d had when Bess last saw her at the redhead’s childhood home in Renaldo, Oklahoma. Sue-Ann’s fiery hair fell down to the middle of her back and she had on makeup which partially obscured the freckles on her face. Sue-Ann had warm, chocolate-brown eyes, which stood out against her light complexion and seemed to sparkle with amusement all the time. She had a pretty face, still a little thin and girlish, but with the promise of maturing into a really striking woman. She was dressed in tattered jeans, worn motorcycle boots, and a t-shirt with the words ‘I’m fine’ across her chest. On the side of the shirt, wrapped around the waist, was what Buffy hoped was a fake blood stain.



Next to Sue-Ann stood her brother, Sammy, the Harley mechanic. Even with his sister’s growth spurt, his six-foot plus frame still towered over her. And, although a comfortable beer belly protruded over his belt, it was clear that the man was as strong as an ox and used to manual labor. His arms, chest, and shoulders were muscular under his cotton t-shirt. The exposed skin of his forearms was covered in tattoos of various colors and designs. His light-red hair and warm, brown eyes matched those of his sister, although his eyes were more guarded and leery than Sue-Ann’s. He wore the same broke-down cowboy boots that he’d had on when Bess had first met him, but had thankfully changed from his oil-stained blue jeans into what appeared to be brand new ones. His t-shirt proclaimed that he ‘didn’t care how they did it up north’ and sported a rebel flag. He’d changed out the gold hoop earrings that Bess had always seen him wear for two small diamond studs – one in each ear, which still seemed completely incongruous with the rest of his appearance.

As Bess introduced them, Spike stuck out his right hand towards the larger man, taking in the details of the tattoos on his arms and stifling a smirk at the nancy-boy earrings. The tattoos seemed to run the gamut, including: a confederate flag with the word ‘Redneck’ under it, a half-naked woman in a very provocative pose, a large, elaborate crucifix, and a skull with a hissing snake serpentined through the eye sockets and emerging from the mouth. Spike tried to remind himself that this man did right by Bess and fixed the Harley. He tried to remind himself not to judge a book by its cover. He tried to remind himself that this man was Bess’ best friend’s brother and legal guardian. But when Sammy raised an empty beer bottle to his lips and spit tobacco juice into it before shaking Spike’s hand, well, Spike heard banjo music.



“Hey, right proud t’ meet ya’ll,” Sammy drawled past the chaw of tobacco in his lip as he pumped Spike’s hand, then Buffy’s.

“Yeah,” Spike replied dryly. Buffy just smiled at him as she tried not to stare at the tattoos ... or earrings ... or the bulge in his lip that held is dip.

“I didn’t know you were coming, too!” Bess exclaimed, looking at Sammy excitedly.

The big man shrugged. “Couldn’ let a half-grown girl go off on her own – too much carrying on t’ be had. Hankerin’ for boys kin overtake their good sense at that age, if ya know what I mean,” he replied, looking at Spike knowingly.

Spike couldn’t argue with that. He looked at Sue-Ann, who rolled her eyes and moaned. “I kin take care of m’self,” she asserted in a drawl just as thick as her brother’s. “I’m not te-en!”

“Ten weren’t a problem,” Sammy asserted. “Since the boob fairy visited, ya got more boys hangin’ ‘round than Carter’s got liver pills ... thicker 'an hair on a dog's back. And you ain’t got sense to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel when it comes t’ them little horny scamps.”

“Saa-mmy!” Sue-Ann hissed at him as her cheeks tinged pink. She folded her arms over her abundant cleavage and glared at him. “You swore you’d act like you had some raisin’!”

Sammy shrugged again. “It’s the God’s honest truth,” he avowed, holding his right hand up as if in a pledge. “Ain’t got a lick a sense ‘bout boys.”

Just then Sue-Ann spotted Billy and Dani standing to one side. “Oh, aren’t you the cutest little thangs!” she exclaimed, moving away from Sammy and pulling the twins into a hug. “You’re like two little peas in pod! Oh, look at the curls!” she gushed, ruffling Billy’s mass of blond hair. “You’re cute as a bug’s ear!” she continued to drawl in her thick southern accent, grinning widely at Billy.

Billy blushed beet-red and gave her a shy smile. His stomach gave a weird lurch, as if he missed the bottom step going downstairs. She was beautiful! Bess had never told him how pretty her friend was and he’d never met anyone in real life that talked like her before. His little seven-year-old heart leapt and flip-flopped in his chest and he suddenly seemed to have a hard time breathing properly. He fell in love in an instant. Then Angelpie came up to greet her and Sue-Ann swept the kitten up in her arms as Bess introduced her to Annie and then JJ. Billy tagged along near the redhead and every so often Sue-Ann would touch a hand to his shoulder or tousle his curls as she talked animatedly with all the kids. Billy was in heaven.

“Still got that bike?” Sammy asked Spike as Sue-Ann and Bess moved away. “That was a beaut! Sweeter than m’ Aunt Sally’s iced tea.”

“Yeah … still got it. Never did thank ya properly for fixin’ that up for the girl,” Spike replied sincerely.



“Well, just right, ain’t it? Sue-Ann may not thank so, but I did have some raisin’. Mama always said, ‘ya plant a tater, ya get a tater’,” Sammy asserted, spitting more tobacco juice into the beer bottle.

On that note, Buffy excused herself, citing the work she still had to do, and Spike waved a hand at the door to the garage, inviting Sammy out to see the Harley.

“Mind if I see a man ‘bout a horse first?” Sammy asked, giving Spike a questioning look.

Spike looked back at him, trying to figure out what the bloody hell he was on about.

After a moment, Sammy said, “Don’t need indoor plumbin’ … a tree’ll do.”

“Uhhh .. right,” Spike finally said, pointing to the downstairs bathroom. “Neighbors don’t fancy us usin’ the trees.”

**~**


Out in the garage, Sammy stopped short, his mouth agape. Spike nearly bumped into his back, only realizing he’d stopped at the very last moment and side-stepping the larger man.

“Well fry my hide!” Sammy exclaimed, his eyes wide and locked on the DeSoto.

Spike smirked, stepped past him, and popped the hood on Darth Vader.

Sammy spit out his whole wad of tobacco into a garbage can and dropped the beer bottle in behind it, before approaching the car with a look of awe. “Feefty-nine?” he asked simply.

“Yeah,” Spike confirmed, backing up to let Sammy have a look.

“Good Lord a mighty damn …” Sammy murmured. “They don’t make ‘em like this anymore.”

“Four barrel carburetor, V-8,” Spike bragged. “Got a 383 hemi … 325 horsepower, 9.25:1 compression ratio, dual exhaust. Changed out the transmission for a TorqueFlite A-727 … aluminum. Still a pushbutton automatic, but saved ‘bout sixty pounds over the old cast iron one.”



Sammy let out a low whistle as he scanned the engine, which looked brand new. Spike and Xander had rebuilt it, along with the drive-train and the transmission, not too long after Spike won the demon UFC prize money and actually had the funds to do it properly.

Sammy looked up at Spike with a sparkle in his eyes. “How fast’ll she go?”

Spike shrugged. “Speedometer only goes t’ 120 … I reckon 150’s the top – but couldn’ prove it.”

“Acceleration?” Sammy asked, still gawking at the shining engine.

“Zero t’ sixty in about eight seconds,” Spike boasted.

“Good Lord a mighty damn…” Sammy repeated, gazing starry-eyed at the gleaming engine.

Spike folded his arms over his chest and watched the mechanic checking out the engine. Sammy looked at all the belts and hoses – which were all new. He checked the sparkplug wires – which were also new. He looked under it for oil and water leaks – there were none.



Finally, he asked, “Who rebuilt it for ya?”

Spike smirked. “Me and a friend o’ mine did it. Got a buddy with a garage – we rented a lift – pulled the motor. Took a while, but it’s good as new.”

Sammy looked at Spike with an expression of shock. “Well, I’ll be dipped in shit. You did it?”

Spike shrugged. “Had help, but … yeah.”

Sammy shook his head and chuckled to himself. “Gotta tell ya … Hoss. Didn’t rightly picture you as the type t’ get yer hands dirty. Ya look kinda … uhhh … well … what I mean t’ say is … don’t mean no disrespect. I reckon it’s the hair and the accent, but you seemed like …”

The more Sammy stammered, the higher Spike’s brows went, waiting to hear just what this man was about to call him.

“Well … yer a bit of a pretty boy, ain’t ya? Reckoned you were all hat an’ no cattle. Suppose ole’ Gandalf was right: all that’s gold don’t glitter,” Sammy admitted.



Spike cocked a brow at the man. “You’re paraphrasin’ ‘The Lord O’ the bloody Rings’?” he asked disbelievingly. “Figured you as more of a … ‘Deliverance’ man, m’self.”

Sammy’s face contorted as if he’d just bit into a lemon. “Now that there movie was messed up,” he asserted, as a visible shudder shook his large frame. “Cain’t listen t’ banjo music without gettin’ the heebie-jeebies nowadays.”

Spike nodded and rubbed at the back of his neck. “That makes two of us, mate,” Spike admitted with a little chuckle.



Spike pulled the keys to Darth Vader out of his pocket and tossed them to Sammy. “Wanna give it a go?”

“Does a bear shit in the woods?” Sammy replied, snagging the keys out of the air.

“Unless he’s in the bloody zoo,” Spike pointed out, as he pushed the button to open the garage door.

“What’s ‘er name?” Sammy asked as he climbed in.

“Don’t take this the wrong way, mate … but it’s a ‘him’. The bits named it Darth Vader,” Spike told the mechanic as he climbed into the passenger seat.

Sammy pursed his lips in thought and then nodded. “That’s fittin’ … don’t make ‘em like ole Daddy Skywalker anymore, either.”

The DeSoto rumbled to life on the first turn of the key and idled like a dream, purring smoothly. Sammy smiled and nodded again. “Wondered if ya used that ethanol crap gas in 'er ... I mean him," he commented to Spike as he pressed down on the accelerator and listened to the engine run – it was as smooth as glass. It was obviously not running on unleaded gas with ethanol. “That shit’s useless as teats on a boar hog.”

Spike snorted. “You musta thought I was a right git,” Spike shot back, pointing to a shelf that held several bottles of lead substitute and octane booster.

Sammy shook his head again in apology for misjudging Spike. “Not rightly sure what that means, Hoss … but this here dog’ll damn sure hunt. Runs finer ‘an hair on a frog’s ass.

“Let’s see if ole Vader kin hit warp ten,” Sammy smirked, putting the car in reverse and backing carefully out of the garage.

“’E can,” Spike assured him, smirking back.

**~**

Bess and Billy gave Sue-Ann the full tour of the mansion, from the bat cave to each of their rooms. Sue-Ann fawned over Billy’s room and took an interest in his books and the poster of the planets on his wall and all the Star Wars memorabilia. She asked him questions about which movie was his favorite and which character he liked best and about the planets and the constellations. He beamed with pride as he answered her questions, giving each considerable thought.

“Do you play Band Hero?” he asked her at last.

“Never tried Band Hero – we got Guitar Hero at the dorm,” Sue-Ann told him. “Do ya have any country songs?”

Billy frowned. “I don’t think so,” he admitted as he thought really hard. Finally, his face lit up. “But we have Lynyrd Skynyrd … I think they’re from the south! Do you like them?”



Sue-Ann’s face glowed. “Like butter on a biscuit! ‘Freebird’? ‘Gimme Three Steps’?” she asked.

Billy nodded giddily. “C’mon! I’ll show you!” he exclaimed, grabbing her hand and pulling her away. “You can play guitar or keyboard or drums …unless Dani comes, then she gets drums. I’m lead guitar, but you can have rhythm or bass.”

“Hey!” Bess objected. “She’s my friend!”

“You can come too,” Billy called back over his shoulder as Sue-Ann let him drag her down the hall towards the stairs.

Bess sighed and rolled her eyes as she followed them. This wasn’t going exactly as she’d imagined, but that was alright. She and Sue-Ann were sharing a room at ‘Slayer Central’; they could get all caught up then.

**~**



“You been holdin’ out on me!” Sue-Ann accused Bess later that night in their hotel room at the Sunnydale Motor Inn. They were sitting cross-legged on one of the beds eating ice cream.

“About what?” Bess wondered as she took a spoonful of Cherry Garcia from the carton.

“Your daddy! Lord a mighty, Bess! He’s hotter ‘an spit on a griddle!” Sue-Ann exclaimed as she dipped her spoon in Bess’ ice cream and held her container of Chunky Monkey up for Bess to try.

“Sue-Ann!” Bess exclaimed in surprise as she took a bite of Sue-Ann’s ice cream. “He’s my father … and … hello! Married … to my mother.”

Sue-Ann sighed and shook her head. “Still … and the way he talks, all foreign-like! I just love men with accents,” Sue-Ann sighed dreamily.

“Sammy has an accent,” Bess pointed out.

Sue-Ann made a face like her ice cream had curdled. “That’ ain’t no accent … that’s jus’ … how he talks,” she drawled. “Your daddy’s got an honest-to-God accent.”

Bess smiled and shook her head, but said, “If you say so.”

“Oh, and Billy’s just as cute as a bug in a rug, ain’t he?” Sue-Ann gushed.

Bess laughed and nodded. “And – big plus: not married,” she pointed out. “You’d only have to wait another … ten years or so and he’d be perfect for you.”

Sue-Ann giggled and took another bite of ice cream. “Sooooo … tell me ‘bout Troy. I want to hear ever’thin’! Every juicy detail!”

Bess’ smile widened and it was her turn to sigh dreamily. “Oh, Sue-Ann … he’s just … yum.

“Yum sounds like a right good start. What parts are the yummiest?” Sue-Ann teased.

Bess giggled and would’ve blushed if she’d had any circulation. “It’s all pretty yummy. Long, black, wavy hair – just as soft as silk. His eyes are the color of that water you see on the posters of Bali or Tahiti or someplace exotic like that ... skin like rich, velvety mocha, broad shoulders, strong back, long legs, comfy arms. But arguably the best part of him would be his long, wide, hard … feet,” Bess giggled. Sue-Ann shrieked in frustration and laughed along with her.

“You’ll meet him tomorrow at the house. Oh! We could go for a ride if you want! You can ride my bike and I’ll ride with Troy. He knows all the best places – we could go down the coast – that’s always neat,” Bess suggested. “He’s just the sweetest, and super smart … and …”

“And?” Sue-Ann prompted.

“And hotter than spit on a griddle,” Bess told her friend with a wry smile.

It was like no time had passed at all since they’d last seen each other. The girls ate their ice cream and shared their secrets. They talked about boys, school, slaying, the upcoming games, and every detail of their lives for hours that night. One topic just seemed to flow into the next seamlessly, there were no awkward silences, and no subject was off-limits.

Even though Bess had made new friends since she’d gotten back to Sunnydale, she felt like Sue-Ann would always be her best friend, even though they mostly communicated via email or phone calls. Maybe it was the past that they both shared. Maybe it was because they’d bonded at a time when they were both vulnerable and alone. Whatever it was, the friendship was special and they both treasured it. By the end of the night, they both vowed not to let as much time pass before they actually saw each other again.

**~**

Sunday night, August 21st, 2011.

In lieu of an ‘opening ceremony’ like they had at the actual Olympics, Buffy had opted for dinner and dancing to kick off ‘her’ Olympics. She’d rented The Bronze for the night, including a band and a DJ (to fill in on breaks), and the full serving and kitchen staff. All the Slayers and Watchers who had come to the games were dressed in their nicest clothes, and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

She could tell that the unsanctioned toga party that had been held the previous night at the hotel was still being felt by some of the Slayers, but Buffy was happy with how everything was going. She watched from the balcony as the girls mingled, introduced themselves to each other, and got to know their sister Slayers. The only men there were a few Watchers, Sammy, Spike, Xander, and Troy, so the girls mostly just danced together in large groups.

JJ and Billy had garnered a lot of attention from the girls. The Slayers fawned over the two cute little boys while Dani pretended to puke every time any of the girls ruffled Billy’s curls or told JJ how sweet he was. Annie hung with her dad, who danced with her several times since Buffy was busy ‘organizing’, but he declined numerous invitations from the throng of Slayers.



As Buffy scanned the floor below, her eyes stopped on the booth where her family had been sitting, but it was empty. She looked around the dance floor, but didn’t see Spike, Annie, Bess, Troy … in fact, she didn’t see any of the kids at all. She scanned the whole floor beneath her, near the bar, and around the tables and booths that lined the walls. She saw Faith on the dance floor and Anya sitting at a table talking to Amanda – but still didn’t see any of the others. Where had everyone gone?

Spike? she called through the bond.

Yeah, pet?

Where are you? Are the kids with you? she asked, trying not to panic.

Yeah, no worries, he assured her. In the parkin’ lot.

Oh … uhhh … ok,
she stammered back, wondering why they would all be in the parking lot.

Buffy headed down the stairs and out the side door of the Bronze to see just what was so interesting out in the damn parking lot. She and Lorne had spent a lot of time and effort on this party for them to be bailing on it this early.

Outside, Buffy found Xander, Troy, Sammy, Sue-Ann, Bess, Spike, and all the kids gathered in one corner of the lot. As she approached she realized they were gathered around the DeSoto, the Harley (which Spike had let Sammy ride), Troy’s bright blue Yamaha, and Bess’ Suzuki, which were all parked near each other. When she got nearer she could hear bits of the conversation: engine … carburetor … acceleration … top speed … compression ratio … Marvel Mystery Oil … ethanol … torque … blah, blah, blah.

Buffy sighed.

Spike noticed Buffy just as she got to the large circle of people and he stood up from a crouch where he’d been showing Troy how to adjust something on his motorcycle. “Hey, pet,” he greeted her with an easy smile, putting a greasy hand out to wrap around her shoulders.



“New dress!” she warned, putting her hands up to fend him off and backing away a step.

Spike looked at his hand and shrugged. “Sorry, luv,” he muttered, wiping the grease on the back of his jeans.

Buffy rolled her eyes and shook her head. “What are you guys doing out here? The party’s inside.”

“Oh, I am sooo awful sorry, Mrs. Weckerly,” Sue-Ann piped up in her slow drawl. “It was my all fault. I jus’ wanted a break from all that racket, an’ we got t’ talkin’ ‘bout bikes an’ … well…” She shrugged and gave Buffy an apologetic look.

“Really, it was my fault,” offered Troy. “I was telling Mr. Harris about the brakes on my bike making this funny sound, and he and Sammy offered to show me how to fix it really fast. We must've just lost track of time...”

“Actually, it was totally my fault,” began Bess. She stopped when Buffy raised her hands and waved them in the air in surrender.

“Maybe, if you’re done with the mechanic lesson, you could come back in to the actual party. There’s beer in there,” she added as an enticement.



Spike bent down and picked up a bottle from the ground and held it up to her. “Beer ‘ere too,” he pointed out before taking a drink. “And not a bunch o’ hormone-charged Slayers who can’t decide whether t’ stake me or jus’ dance me t’ death.”

“Rightly sure dancin’ ain’t all they got in mind,” Sue-Ann whispered to Bess with a giggle.

Spike turned to her and cocked a brow at the redhead. Sue-Ann’s eyes went wide and she blushed ten shades of pink. Bess laughed, then cleared her throat before throwing an arm over Sue-Ann’s shoulders and saying, “We better go back inside.”

Buffy watched the two girls, and Sue-Ann’s shadow, Billy, head back into the party. Then she looked at Annie, Dani, and JJ and said, “You three need to go back in too. They’re about to serve desert, you don’t want to miss it. Let’s leave the big boys alone to play with their toys.”

Spike gave her a smirky-smile of gratitude, and she stepped closer and touched a soft kiss on his cheek. “I’ll send someone out with more beer,” she offered before ushering the kids back into the building.

“Mighty fine filly ya got there, Hoss,” Sammy drawled, looking after Buffy’s retreating form.

Spike pursed his lips and nodded as he stared appreciatively at her lean, tan legs and swaying hips as she walked away. “Bloody well got that right, mate.”

"Don't reckon she's got a sister," Sammy asked hopefully as Buffy disappeared into the club.

Spike smirked. "Remind me t' introduce you to Faith. She's a sister ... of sorts and I think you two have the same affinity for sharp objects being stuck into your flesh."

 

**~**

{{ Click here to hear Big Boy Toys by Aaron Tippin on YouTube }}


I'd hook my wagon to my trike and I'd head across the yard
To my big sandbox where I worked real hard
Playing all day with my little toy trucks
Backhoes, bulldozers, earth-moving stuff
That was my whole life when I was a kid
But when I grew up, I guess I never really did - I like

Big boy toys, motors and lights
Knobs and switches and a four-wheel-drive
Running up the road or crawling across the farm
And when they break down, I jack them up in the yard
Pull out my tools, my pride and joy
Man, you gotta love them big boy toys

Now, sometimes baby just can't understand
The mud on my boots and the grease on my hands
I try to explain how it makes me feel
The awesome power of my hands on the wheel
If I can't find the words to set things right
I just scoot over and I let my baby drive - she likes

Big boy toys, motors and lights
Knobs and switches and a four-wheel-drive
Running up the road or crawling across the farm
And when they break down, I jack them up in the yard
Pull out my tools, my pride and joy
Man, you gotta love them big boy toys

Yeah, it's boats and cars, tractors and trucks
Gasoline and diesel fuel a running through my blood - I like them

Big boy toys, motors and lights
Knobs and switches and a four-wheel-drive
Running up the road or crawling across the farm
And when they break down, I jack them up in the yard
Pull out my tools, my pride and joy
Man, you gotta love them big boy toys

Man, you gotta love them big boy toys
Big boy toys

End Notes:
So ... they're closer to the secret of creating another Gem, but it's still proving elusive. Will have a bit of the Slayer Olympics next including a special event combining paint-ball guns, total darkness, and one wily vampire...

Never met anyone like Sammy before? Then you've never been to Alabama! I admit that he's based largely on my step-son, but does have traits of every good-ole-boy I've ever met rolled up into him. An icon of the perfect southern gentleman! Ya plant taters, ya get taters!
What No One Else Can Do by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
A Quidnuncious demon attacks Buffy in her own front yard. Will she be able to effectively fend it off and come out unscathed? Later we'll have a glimpse into one of the most Slayer-centric events of the Olympics: The Vampire Hunt. Can Buffy show the girls how it's done 'old school', or will Spike prevail?
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! {Hugs} to PaganBaby for suggesting the Quidnuncious demon and for betaing that part of this chapter. Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing the rest of this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
(About a week later) Saturday night, August 27th, 2011.
 
Buffy pulled handfuls of envelopes and flyers out of the mailbox by the street in front of the mansion. How long had it been building up? Two or three days? Longer? This week had been something akin to giving birth – not something you really wanted to ever do again while in the midst of it, but that you loved, nonetheless. Trying to organize, feed, and keep track of several dozen hormone-charged Slayers from different cultures, some of whom only spoke limited English, had been a gigantic challenge, but rewarding at the same time.
 
She’d just closed the mailbox and started back up the walk when she heard it: the unmistakable cry of the Quidnuncious demon. The sound was akin to fingernails scraping on bones … on Buffy’s bones, to be exact. The shrill, whining sound penetrated her eardrums like spears, and vibrated a painful river of icy dread down her spine.

 

“Shit,” she cursed under her breath as she ducked out of sight between the hedges that ran alongside each side of the walk back to the front door. The demon kept coming down the sidewalk, and, Buffy thought, had even increased its speed. She could hear the muffled steps of its fuzzy pink feet padding quickly towards her, and her own heartbeat increased exponentially as it neared her hiding place. Every few steps, it would bellow again – an unmistakable high-pitched cry which sent another wave of foreboding down Buffy’s spine. She looked at the front door, it was only about twenty feet away. If she stayed crouched beneath the level of the hedge the whole way, she might make it inside before the Quidnuncious caught sight of her. It might not have actually seen her yet, it might keep going, it might ...
 
“Mrs. Waverly! There you are, dear.”
 
Buffy took a deep breath and stood up straight, bracing herself for the inevitable. She was unable to conceal herself behind the hedge any longer: the demon had found her.

“Mrs. Krass,” she breathed, turning to face her adversary. “Long time no see.” Buffy knew the woman’s name wasn’t Krass … it was Katz, but since the quidnunc never could seem to get Buffy’s name right, she felt obliged to return the compliment.
 
“I’ve been trying to catch you for a few days,” Mrs. Katz admitted in her gratingly-shrill demon voice, still breathing hard from the brisk pace she’d set down the sidewalk. “But you always seem to disappear as soon as I come outside. If I didn’t know better, I’d almost think you were avoiding me.”
 
Buffy gave her a weak smile. “I’d never do that, Mrs. Krass.”
 
“Katz,” the woman corrected.
 
“Right,” Buffy acknowledged blithely.
 
Buffy took the woman’s appearance in. She was an older lady, in her sixties Buffy guessed, with obviously dyed gray hair that was a pale violet, the color of Jacaranda blooms or lilacs. Buffy wasn’t sure if that was the color the woman was going for, or if that was just how it always came out. Typically, Mrs. Katz wore her hair in a curly bouffant, piled up atop her head, but tonight it was in rollers and mostly covered by a pumpkin-orange scarf that clashed painfully with the color of her hair.

 

The older woman wore 1950’s-style tortoise-shell, ‘cat eye’ glasses with rhinestones on the up-turned corners of the frames. At least half of the rhinestones were missing and the magnifying effect of the glasses made her look bug-eyed. They reminded Buffy of the glasses that Darryl Hannah wore in 'Steel Magnolias.' She had on a floral pink … what did they call those? Not a robe, not pajamas … A housecoat? … No … house dress? That must be it: a house dress. It was a cotton, knee-length house dress. The garish shades of pink and the disparate combination of floral and geometric print made the garment painful to look at for more than five seconds. Buffy was fairly certain it would burn holes in your brain if you stared it at for over twenty seconds. It was something Buffy thought her Grams might’ve worn to do housework in – she hoped her mom had never worn one of those. Rounding out the look, the demon’s feet were clad in neon-pink, fuzzy slippers. That was apparently typical attire for Quidnuncious demons in early evening; although Buffy’s only empirical evidence was this one example. They were a terrifying, but mercifully rare species.

 

Oh, you’ve never heard of Quidnuncious demons before? Neither had Buffy before the Katzes moved in. Quidnuncious demon: From the Latin meaning ‘what now?’ A busybody, gossipmonger, the ubiquitous nosy neighbor. Every neighborhood had at least one. Mrs. Katz was the Queen of the Quidnuncious demons, of this Buffy was 1,001% certain.  Exhaustive research had yielded no useful information on slaying them, so Buffy’s typical strategy was to run away and hide until they retreated back into their lairs.
 
Gladys Katz and her husband, Abner, a hen-pecked, middle-aged man who rarely spoke – or perhaps he just couldn’t get a word in past his wife, bought the two story house right next door to the mansion about two months ago. It was, handily, the only house that could actually see into the Weckerly’s back yard. This made Buffy check into the local regulations pertaining to fences and if two-story-tall garden walls were permissible. They weren’t.

 

“Oh, I know you’d never avoid me, dear,” Mrs. Katz said in a matronly manner, her shrill voice scraping sharply on Buffy’s eardrums. “You’re simply much too busy and it’s really taking a toll on you. You really need to eat something. I’ll send over a nice tuna and macaroni casserole for you tomorrow.
 
“You know, dear, woman to woman, I must tell you that men like some curves on their ladies … a little meat on the bones. You’re really much too thin, Betty. Bless your heart,” Gladys offered helpfully. “And with all the young, curvy competition I’ve seen coming in and out of here, you really should take care. I have seen your Ike … well … it’s not really my place to say, is it? I’d never presume to tell tales out of school, but he does seem to spend a lot of time with … other women. I’ve seen them coming and going at the strangest hours. Blondes, brunettes, redheads … my, my, my…” Mrs. Katz shook her head in dismay. “Take it from me, Betty: Abner and I have been married for forty-seven years and he’s never strayed – do you know why?”
 
“Tuna and macaroni casserole?” Buffy guessed, grinding her teeth at being called ‘Betty’ and ‘Ike’, and at the woman’s contention that Spike was messing around on her.
 
Buffy knew all Spike was doing was helping her and the Watchers chaperone the Slayers, making sure there were no mass sneak attacks in the offing, and continue regular patrols with Bess and Faith. With so many Slayers in one place, and most of them inebriated to some degree in the evenings, keeping an ear to the ground for trouble was doubly-important. In addition, Buffy had corrected the woman at least five hundred and seventy-two times on both their first and last names – she’d pretty much given up. Betty and Ike Waverly … that was them. The only plus was, if the gossip-demon decided to ‘tell tales out of school’ about Buffy and Spike, it was possible no one would know who she was talking about.
 
Gladys nodded resolutely. “Precisely,” she whined nasally. "Keep his belly full and he won't have eyes for anyone else, dear."
 
“Well, thank you for the advice, Mrs. Krass,” Buffy began, turning to head into the house, but Mrs. Katz wasn’t done yet.
 
“Katz,” the demon-woman corrected again. “I do hope that gaggle of ear-splitting motor bikes won’t be coming in at all hours of the night again tonight,” she continued, following Buffy up the walk towards the front door. “It does upset Abner terribly. He has a hard time sleeping as it is without being awoken at nine and ten o’clock at night with that ruckus.”
 
Buffy thought that perhaps Abner’s lack of sleep was more likely caused by the constant grating of his wife's annoyingly shrill voice or perhaps indigestion from tuna and macaroni casseroles, but she bit both comments back.
 
“And did you see that old pick-up truck that’s been parked on the street all week?" Gladys lowered her voice to a whining-whisper and revealed, "There's a gun rack in the back window and a bumper-sticker that says 'Protected by Smith & Wesson.'"

Allowing her voice to raise back to her normal sniveling whine, Mrs. Katz continued, "I’m not one to judge, but it looks very disreputable to me. I’ll bet it belongs to some hoodlums from Los Angeles. I’ll bet they’ve come down here looking for my priceless royal jewelry to steal. Did I ever tell you that my great-great-great aunt on my mother’s side was the Duchess of Mazovia, and that I inherited her royal jewels?”
 
“You might’ve let it slip once or twice,” Buffy admitted with a sigh, wishing that Abner had inherited a couple of family jewels of his own. Maybe he could've found a way to keep his wife out of everyone else's business if he had a couple of stones to his name. Of course, he might've had at one time. Buffy thought that living with Gladys Katz for forty-seven years would be much like taking Depo-Provera for a man ... chemical castration.
 
“Well … obviously, someone with loose lips has tipped them off and that’s what they’re looking for,” Mrs. Katz contended, as if no one else on the street had anything worthy of pilfering. “I called the police, of course, but … you know, they never really do anything. I mean … here’s a clear eyesore on the street, owned by thugs getting ready to rape and pillage poor Abner and I, and … nothing. Not even a parking ticket. They seem to have no idea how vulnerable honest, upstanding, royal-bred citizens are to ruffians from Los Angeles.”
 
Buffy stopped and turned around. “Mrs. Krass,” she began in her most patient, motherly-voice.

 

“Katz,” the demon-neighbor corrected yet again.
 
Buffy smiled at her faintly. “Right. That truck belongs to Sammy; he’s a friend of ours. I can assure you: he isn’t a hoodlum or a thug, he isn’t going to rape or pillage anything, and he couldn’t remotely be mistaken for being from L.A. … unless you were talking about Lower Alabama … then … maybe.”
 
“Oh, I see,” Mrs. Katz replied with trepidation, her voice becoming even more of a nasal whine than normal. “Well, do you think you could have him park up in the driveway out of sight of the street … or perhaps in the garage? It’s really not up to the standards here on Crawford Street, wouldn’t you agree? I mean … I am descended from royalty. Of course, I’m not one to judge, but when we purchased the mansion here, the realtor assured us that this was a neighborhood befitting my stature and heritage.”
 
Buffy kept a plastic smile pasted on her lips. “Sorry, Mrs. Krass, the garage and driveway are all filled up with motorcycles that belong to a gang of hoodlum bikers from L.A.” Buffy explained calmly. “I think they’ll be done casing your house by tomorrow though, so you won’t have to worry about that much longer.
 
“When they come back, to steal your jewels and commence with the raping and pillaging, I’ll be sure to tell them to cut their motors down the block and push the bikes up here. I wouldn’t want them to wake you up before they, you know … start with the festivities.”
 
Buffy turned on her heel, leaving the Quidnuncious Queen gape-mouthed on the walkway, and disappeared into the house.
 
“There’s something very wrong with that woman,” Mrs. Katz muttered to herself as she turned and scampered back home, fluffy, pink slippers slapping against the sidewalk with each step. “Very, very wrong.”
 
**~**
 
(The next night) Sunday night, August 28th, 2011.
 
 Buffy collapsed on the sofa in the great room, utterly exhausted. She’d just taken the last of the Slayers and their chaperones to the airport. The only ones remaining were Sue-Ann and Sammy. They were staying one more night at the mansion and would be starting the drive back home sometime tomorrow. The games were over. They’d been an absolute nightmare and an undeniable success.
 
Xander had had to go to the Sunnydale Motor Inn fifteen times over the last ten days to fix things. Broken shower and kitchen sink handles, broken shower tiles, broken banisters, broken pavers around the pool, broken window latches, broken doorknobs  … you name it, a Slayer could break it – a drunk Slayer could break even more.
 
The police had been called to the hotel three times by the manager of the Waffle House next door because the music blaring from the pool area at 2am could be heard in the next county. Willy had called her to say that he was missing four of the ten kegs that had been delivered to the hotel during that week. He’d informed Buffy that if they weren’t returned, he would be billing her for them. Buffy argued that she hadn’t ordered any kegs, but Willy insisted that the person ordering them had used her name and mentioned that it was for the ‘Slayer Convention’. Buffy didn’t think that was quite fair, but she eventually found them on the hill behind the hotel. Apparently the girls had been playing some kind of game with them – using them like soccer balls or something. They were pretty dented up, but Willy took them back and agreed not to bill her, albeit grudgingly.

 

But, despite all the problems, the girls had bonded. Slayers from around the world met other girls that were just like them and began to realize how not alone they really were. The games themselves were great fun, despite the serious competition that took place. There was a lot of camaraderie, praise was lauded on the winners and encouragement given to the girls that tried but failed.
 
Dani and Spike were especially disappointed in the North American soccer team that Bess and Sue-Ann were on, which was trounced handily by both the Western European and the South American teams, and out of the round-robin tournament early. But Bess redeemed herself in the swimming competition, despite having to overcome a several second ‘handicap,’ which was imposed on her to compensate for the vampiric enhancement of her Slayer strength. Out of ten different swimming events, Bess won four, got the silver in three, and the bronze in the other three.

 

Bess and Sue-Ann had both also done well in the martial arts competitions, with a gold, three silvers, and two bronzes between them. The events included Brazilian jiu-jitsu, which is a grappling/ground fighting type discipline, kickboxing, Bōjutsu, which uses a long staff called a Bō, and the mixed martial arts competition.  There had been quite a lot of discussion before the games about allowing Bess to compete in these events due to her enhanced strength and senses. After much debate, it was finally decided that, although strength and speed are important, skill and tactics were just as important. This was proven by the small Slayer from Japan, who stood five foot nothing and weighed a hundred and nothing and won the gold in all but the Brazilian jiu-jitsu event, which was taken by Bess.
  
Neither Bess nor Sue-Ann did very well in the track and field events. Bess’ legs were just too short to compete with the tall girls who could take one stride for every two of Bess’, and Sue-Ann admitted that she didn’t have much interest in running and rarely had to actually chase a vamp. “Why chase after ‘em? Cain’t swing a dead cat without hittin’ one. If one runs away, just turn around – there’ll be another waitin’ on ya.”
 
Rounding out their medals, Sue-Ann won the gold in the crossbow and longbow competitions – apparently all those bow-hunting trips she'd gone on with Sammy and her dad when she was younger paid off – and Bess took the gold in fencing.
 
The final event of the games was a paint-ball competition of sorts. The catch was, it was held in a warehouse in complete darkness and, instead of capturing the opponent’s flag, the objective was to find, and tag, the vampire, without getting hit yourself. Spike was the vampire. The Slayers were divided into teams of five and sent into the warehouse to find, and tag, the vampire with their paintballs. They were almost completely blind in the dark area and had to rely on their other senses, including their ability to sense a vampire, in order to succeed. For obvious reasons, Bess wasn’t allowed to compete in this final game. She acted as a coach, of sorts, letting each team ‘practice’ on sensing her before they actually went into the field of battle.

 

There were overhead, night-vision cameras set up in the warehouse, which transmitted to closed circuit TVs that were set up in the waiting area. These could be watched by the competitors who were waiting their turn or who had already gone, as well as by the Watchers as well as the ultimate judge: Buffy. The competition would be won by the team that could tag the vampire in the shortest time. If a Slayer was tagged with the glow-in-the-dark paint from Spike’s gun, they were out – they had to just sit down and play dead until the whole team was ‘killed’, or someone tagged (i.e., dusted) Spike.
 
Buffy and the Watchers assigned teams so that there were Slayers of different seniority levels on each one, and from different regions of the world. They weren’t given their team assignments until only a few minutes before going onto the field of battle, so not only was their vampire tracking skill being tested, but also their ability to work as a member of a team with Slayers they may not know well.

 

The elder Slayers, like Faith, Amanda, Molly, and Kennedy, did the best at determining where Spike was in the warehouse, tracking his movements in the dark, and avoiding getting hit themselves. The newest Slayers usually went down to Spike’s paintball gun quickly. Communication between the teams ranged from abysmal to stellar, and seemed to depend on who emerged as the natural leader of the group – or if a clear leader emerged at all.
 
In the end, Faith was the only Slayer who tagged Spike without getting tagged herself, and her team was the only one that actually had ‘survivors’. Spike had ‘killed’ every other Slayer that entered the labyrinth.   There were a couple of other Slayers, Kennedy and Amanda, who tagged Spike, but they’d fired at the same time he had and, therefore, had also gotten tagged. They’d killed the vampire, but the vampire killed them back.
 
It was obvious that this was a skill that needed more practice across the board, but in the end, everyone had had a good time and had learned from it. Additionally, it was clear that some Slayers needed to work on their English; it was hard to communicate directions to someone that didn’t speak the same language as the others on the team.
 
“Hey, B,” Faith said after she’d accepted the gold medal for their team, raising her voice so everyone could hear. “Why don’t you show us how it was done back in the good ole days? You know, the whole ‘she who stands alone’ thing.”
 
“The good ole days?” Buffy asked incredulously. “You make me sound like Grandma Moses.”

 

Faith shrugged and gave Buffy a wry smile. “I’m just sayin’ … you’re the only one who remembers them days, girlfriend.”
 
Buffy looked around at the faces of the Slayers gathered there. Their faces, hair, or clothes were splattered with greenish-white paint from Spike’s paintball gun, and they were all looking at her expectantly.
 
She looked over at Spike, who had three spots of bluish-white paint splattered on him from the only three Slayers that had actually found him in the dark. He smirked at her, and, without even opening the bond, she could hear him throw down the gauntlet. He was daring her with a predatory look in his blue eyes, and if there’s one thing the Slayer hated, it was being dared by a vampire.

 

Buffy narrowed her eyes at him and tossed the dare back at her husband with a deadly look of her own. Then she shrugged and looked back at Faith. “Ok, sure … a little old-school slayage sounds good.”
 
All the Slayers cheered and clapped.
 
Buffy grabbed one of the white coveralls from the supply and pulled it on over her clothes. “You need to change,” she told Spike, tossing him a new set of outerwear. “I don’t want any confusion over who splattered you with paint.”
 
“You’d think I’d … cheat?” Spike asked incredulously as he shrugged out of the soiled suit and pulled the new one on. “Insultin’ that is, Slayer.”
 
“I’ve seen you in a fight once or twice before, Spike,” Buffy asserted. She looked at the sea of eager faces around them. “Rule number two hundred and fifty seven: Vampires don’t fight fair,” she announced as if this was some brilliant revelation they may have never heard before. “Even ones with souls.”
 
Spike snickered as he zipped up the front of the new, white, paper jumpsuit. Just as Buffy had finished zipping up her own white suit, Spike took a menacing step towards her, brought up his demon, and pulled her against him with one hand wrapped around the small of her back. He dropped his lips to hers and captured her lips in a rough, savage kiss that left her breathless.

 

When he finally broke the kiss, he pulled his mouth away only slightly from hers. He could feel Buffy’s hot, wet breath tingle his skin as she panted against his lips. “I’m gonna kill you,” he growled in a low threatening rumble.
 
With one hand behind his neck, Buffy pulled his head back down to hers sharply and kissed him with just as much feral abandon as he had her a moment before. Then she pushed him back, with both hands on his shoulders, making Spike take a step in order to keep from falling. She was still breathless and gasping for air when she said sarcastically, “If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that...
 
Spike parted his lips and ran his tongue over his teeth a moment as he raked his eyes up and down her body in a hungry leer before picking up his paintball gun. He turned quickly and headed for the door that led back onto the field of battle. With one last smoldering glance over his shoulder at Buffy, he yanked the door open and stepped into the darkness, letting the heavy door fall closed with a loud clang behind him.
 
Buffy stalked towards the door, nearly on his heels, but one of the Watcher-chaperones that she didn’t know very well stepped forward and said, “You’re supposed to give him thirty seconds before entering.”
 
Buffy smiled at the young Watcher like he was a simpleton, and pushed past him. “Refer to rule number two hundred and fifty eight,” she informed him, reaching for the door.
 
“Two hundred and fifty eight?” he questioned quite confusedly, as he stepped back.
 
“Slayers don’t fight fair, either.”
 
When the heavy door slammed closed behind Buffy, all the Slayers and Watchers turned their eyes in silence to the green and black night-vision screens that showed what was going on in the dark warehouse. After a beat, a female voice in a thick Welch accent came from the back of the room, “Tha’ was bloody hawt. D’ya think we could hov anutha go w’ him… wit’ a bit of a snog ‘fore ‘e kills us?”
  
A low rumble of snickers rolled over the room of girls. Most of the Watchers stiffened and cleared their throats uncomfortably. A few, however, nodded, wondering if they could have a go with the vamp themselves.
 
**~**
 
Buffy stepped into the pitch-black darkness of the large warehouse and stopped just inside the door. The paintball gun in her hand felt uncomfortable – just wrong. She wondered if they made paintball guns shaped like stakes; she’d have to check on that before the next games.
 
She took a deep breath and had just started to concentrate on sensing Spike when she heard the unmistakable sound of one of the guns shooting. She jumped forward reflexively, rolling in a somersault and landing behind some empty, steel, fifty-five gallon drums. She heard the paintball rush by, not far from her head, and splatter on something metallic behind her. She snickered. “Missed me, missed me, now ya gotta kiss me,” she sing-songed in the darkness.

 

“Right, c’mon then,” Spike called back as he stalked forward slowly towards her hiding place. “Give us a proper snog.”
 
Before Spike had even started towards her, Buffy had begun moving, staying crouched low behind the machinery, pallets, walls, and barrels that were scattered around the battlefield forming a type of maze.
 
When Spike turned the corner on her hiding place, he fired his paintball gun before even looking. It splattered on the floor harmlessly. He narrowed his eyes and looked down the long aisle beyond, but didn’t see her – but he could smell her and he could sense her. In a flash of white overalls, he spun around and faced the way he’d just come from and fired his gun; then, in the next moment, he dove behind the barrels where Buffy had taken refuge only a moment before.
 
Buffy’s paintball barely missed tagging him as he rolled behind the barrier, gracefully sprung back to his feet, and fired again, over the top of the barrels in the general direction her shot had come from.
 
Buffy hadn’t waited around to see if her shot had hit him. When she’d felt him standing there where she’d been just a few moments before, she’d doubled back down a different aisle to sneak up behind him. When she had been close enough to see the white of his overalls in the blackness, she’d shot and immediately ran down another aisle of mechanical debris, staying low and moving as silently as possible.
 
“Bugger,” Spike mumbled when he saw the glowing paint from his gun spatter on the wall. He started moving again, working to catch sight or scent of her. He crept down the aisle between the obstacles, paintball gun at the ready, as he scanned with all his senses for the Slayer.
 
He quickly discovered that she’d started crisscrossing her own path, going in circles around the center of the room, then starting out down various aisles and apparently doubling back, only to go down another one. He wouldn’t be able to follow a scent trail anywhere useful.

 

As he walked he heard noises and saw movement coming from different parts of the warehouse almost at once. It forced him to turn quickly, right, then left, then back again, swinging his paintball gun as he did so, trying to catch a glimpse of her. The intermittent sounds continued and he crept forward, trying to see Buffy in the blackness. When a sound came from right behind him, he spun around quickly and fired, only to find no one there. He scanned the floor and found a bit of metal slag laying there. He crouched down and picked it up, brought it to his nose and realized Buffy had thrown it – it had her scent all over it. She was lobbing little bits of debris across the large area to throw him off.
 
He wouldn’t be able to use his sense of hearing to find her. Little by little, she was taking the advantage away from him. He could feel her presence tingling his spine, there was no way she could take that away, and he concentrated on it. It didn’t take him long to hone in on her. She was in the opposite corner from where he was. He waited a few moments before he moved, just to see if she was moving, but she didn’t seem to be – the vibes were still coming from the furthest corner.
 
Spike crept slowly through the maze as bits of metal continued raining down in different areas of the battlefield, but he paid them no mind any longer. He was honed in on her, using his demon’s most primal instinct to detect the threat of a Slayer. It was one of those brain stem functions, a survival instinct: eat, sleep, breathe, keep your heart beating, mate. The ability to sense a Slayer must’ve replaced the ‘beating heart’ and ‘breathing’ functions when the demon took over; it was just as basic, just as fundamental, and just as strong. Thank goodness it didn’t take over the desire to mate.
 
Spike moved slowly and silently across the wide expanse of floor, easily avoiding the jumble of derelict machines, empty barrels, which, if kicked, made a god-awful racket, and circumventing the maze of six-foot high walls that Xander had erected just for the games. He could feel the ‘fight or flight’ instinct growing stronger in the pit of his stomach the closer he got to her. Over the years he’d learned to simply ignore that feeling and it had subsided considerably since he’d first met Buffy, but now he embraced it – called it to the fore of his mind, and used it to track her.
 
One of her bits of steel came down and hit him squarely in the forehead as he crept slowly in her direction. He muffled the urge to yell out in surprise and pain as he rubbed furiously at the spot on his head that was quickly turning into a bump.
 
Luckily he had on safety goggles over his eyes; maybe he should've worn that helmet they wanted him to wear, after all. Bint could put someone’s eye out with her bullet-like diversion tactics, he thought angrily. Suddenly voices sing-songed in his head, ‘You’ll shoot your eye out, you’ll shoot your eye out…’ He sighed mentally and shook his head. He was definitely watching too many children’s movies. He needed to start choosing what movies to rent once in a while.

 

Spike refocused and realized that Buffy was very near. Surely she could feel him as well as he could feel her … why wasn’t she moving? Maybe the Slayer was slipping. Spike smirked at the thought. That would be soooo sweet. He tried to remember the last time he’d actually beaten her in a fight. He gave up quickly; nothing popped immediately to mind. This was gonna be doubly sweet.
 
He looked up at one of the overhead cameras and smirked at the Slayers and Watchers who he knew were in the other room watching. They were out there expecting a lesson from The Slayer … a lesson in how to get the better of a master vampire. Sorry, kiddies, he thought to himself. T’day’s lesson will be ‘Death of a Slayer’.
 
Spike moved with a feline grace as he closed in on his prey. He could feel her strongly now; she must be just around the next corner of the wall-maze that Harris had erected. He didn’t want to underestimate her, though. She could be standing there with her finger on the trigger, just waiting for him to come around the corner. He narrowed his eyes in thought … yeah, that’s exactly what she was doin’: using herself as bait and waiting for him to come to her.
 
Spike smirked. Not this time, luv.
 
He silently unzipped his overalls and tucked the paintball gun securely into the front of his belt. He then used a piece of abandoned machinery next to the wall to step up on and quietly pulled himself up atop the wall. His plan was brilliantly simple: while she waited for him to come around the corner, he’d shoot her from above. Slayers were notorious for not thinking in three-dimensions. This would be an excellent lesson for the Slayerettes watching: vamps can come from above or below just as easily as from the back, front, or side.
 
Spike had no sooner stood up on the top of the narrow, wood-frame wall and gotten his balance, than he felt two paintballs explode against his chest.

 

“Hi, lover,” Buffy purred at him from her perch atop the intersecting wall. “I think that means you’re dead,” she pointed out, cocking a brow at his now glowing chest.
 
Spike looked down in shock, not quite believing that she’d actually shot him. “Bugger,” he muttered at last as the reality of his defeat sunk in.
 
He looked back up at her. She wore a smug expression on her face and, despite his defeat, her victory still stirred a hailstorm of pride within him.
 
“How the bloody hell did ya’ know?” he asked her incredulously, pulling his goggles off and dropping them.
 
“Rule two hundred and fifty seven,” she answered simply, giving him a wry smile as she also removed her goggles. Then she shrugged and added, “I think you owe me a nickel … and a kiss.”
 
Spike smirked and walked atop the narrow wall towards her with the grace and confidence of a cat. As he grew near her, Buffy could see his eyes glimmer dangerously, like that cat had been stalking a small, unsuspecting bird.

 

“Don’t reckon I got a nickel, luv,” he purred as he reached down and offered her a hand up to her feet.
 
Buffy took his hand and stood up on the wall she’d been sitting atop, which intersected the one he was on, forming a ‘T’.
 
“Too bad for you then,” she rasped back, her heart beating faster against her ribs. “I’ll just have to take it out in trade.”
 
Spike cocked a brow at her. “Jus’ how many snogs for a nickel then, pet?”
 
Buffy grinned slyly at him, reached out, and pulled his paintball gun from where it had been tucked into his belt. She dropped both her gun and his down onto the floor beneath them, where they landed with a clatter in the otherwise silent room. “I’ll let you know when you’re paid up,” she informed him, licking her lips. “It might take a while.”
 
Just then, the small, red lights on the cameras that were scattered across the ceiling above them all clicked off at once.

 

Spike grinned lecherously – they were alone. “Better get started on that then, I reckon,” his voice rumbled in the now utter darkness.
 
Buffy squealed as he unexpectedly bent down and gathered her up into his arms. Still standing on the narrow wall, with one arm under her knees and the other around her back, he captured her lips in a desperate, passionate kiss. Buffy returned the kiss fervently, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly. Before she could even recover from the surprise of the kiss, he leapt down off the six-foot high wall with her, making her heart skip a beat as a momentary feeling of flying overtook her.
 
He landed with her, touching down onto the floor with the grace of a lithe, silent panther, and captured her lips again. Buffy writhed in his arms and her body tingled, full of desire. She was quite sure that the feeling of flying would come over her several more times here with him in the dark. It was going to take a very long time for Spike to pay off that nickel.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear What No One Else Can Do - Remixed for the 2012 UK Summer Olympics by Holice   on YouTube  }}


Sorry I don't have the lyrics to this song, but it's totally worth a listen!
End Notes:
Quidnunc is a real word, by the way (despite Word saying otherwise): Noun. A person who is eager to know the latest news and gossip; a gossip or busybody. Origin: 1700 Latin: quid nunc meaning 'what now?' Quidnuncious, of course, is my own word. :P

Next comes the tearful goodbye as Sue-Ann and Bess part company again. Then, Spike and Xander start off on a new mission.

Some of you have shown interest in an 'Unexpected History page', so I've created one and have a 'Universe Map' on there also (near the bottom of the history page there is a link to it). The page is a WIP, so if there are things you'd like to see added to the History page, let me know.  You can get to it by   Clicking here. 

And, lastly, I will be going on vacation (to visit 'Sammy' and his family, btw) from July 26th - 31st. There is no cable there. There is no high-speed internet. There is ... wait for it ... DIAL UP. I don't have a dial-up modem ... seriously. I guess I should be happy they have that. They live in outer Mongolia .... {sigh}. Ok, buying a dial-up modem, but no way I can post over that. I'll try to post one more time before I leave, but there will be a few days of delay after that for the next chapter.
Puppy Love by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Sue-Ann and Sammy have to head back home. It's a heart-wrenching farewell.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing the rest of this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
(Next morning) Monday, August 29th, 2011:
 
Spike came into the kitchen to find all the kids, Buffy, Sue-Ann, and Sammy half-way through their breakfasts. He dropped a morning kiss on Buffy’s lips as he passed the table and greeted everyone else with a slightly groggy, “Mornin’.”
 
Over the last two nights, Buffy had been collecting on the nickel he owed her; he still wasn’t sure if it was paid off yet or not. Not that he was complaining! He just hoped, after Sue-Ann and Sammy left today, he’d actually be able to get some kip so he could be ready for whatever Buffy wanted to collect from him tonight. Getting killed by the Slayer did have its perks.

 

He grabbed a quart of blood from the fridge and poured himself a mug. Grabbing a box from the cupboard, he crumbled up some Weetabix into it and popped it into the microwave. He turned around and leaned his butt against the counter as he waited for his breakfast to warm up. Spike’s eyes wandered over the group, who all seemed to be talking at once. How any of them could actually hear what anyone else was saying was beyond him, but they seemed to be managing.
 
As his eyes wandered over the people gathered in the kitchen, they met Sue-Ann’s across the short distance. She quickly looked away, trying to act like she hadn’t been staring at him. Spike choked back a laugh and turned around to watch his cup turn in circles in the microwave. He looked surreptitiously back over his shoulder and caught Sue-Ann staring, quite intently, at his back side. And her eyes weren’t on his shoulders ... a bit further south.
 
Spike turned his attention back to his breakfast and shook his head slightly. Sammy was right: hormones had taken over the girl’s good sense. It dawned on Spike that it would only be a little over three years before Annie would be Sue-Ann’s age. She was already swooning over that git, Johnny Martin, how would Spike ever survive if it got worse? Was locking your daughter in the basement allowable these days? Probably not.
 
Spike got his blood out of the microwave and sat down in the last empty chair, directly across from Sue-Ann. She blushed, dropped her gaze, and pretended to know what Bess had just said to her. Spike waited a moment for her to get her courage back and look back up at him. As soon as she lifted her gaze again, he brought his demon up and took a long drink of the blood, purposely letting a bit spill out of his mouth and run down his chin. After setting the mug down, he opened his mouth, showing his fangs and tongue, which were still covered in blood and bits of Weetabix. Then he wiped the blood from his chin, raking it back into his mouth with his thumb.

 

Sue-Ann gasped, paled slightly, and make an ‘ewwww’ face. Sammy gawped at him. No one else even seemed to notice.
 
Spike licked the blood of his fingers, then looked at her. “Wanna try it, pet?” he asked, holding the mug out towards her. “Better with burba weed, but we’re out. Breakfast o’ champions.”
 
Sue-Ann shook her head quickly, sending her long, red hair skittering around her shoulders. Her eyes were wide with what could’ve passed for shock or perhaps horror.
 
Spike shrugged nonchalantly. “Suit yourself. But ya don’t know what you’re missin’, pet.” He took another swig of blood, purposely making a sickly slurping sound as he drank. Sue-Ann jumped up and excused herself from the table, laying a hand over her stomach, as if she might be suddenly sick. Spike chuckled to himself as he finished his breakfast and sat his mug down.
 
Billy, who had been sitting next to Sue-Ann, began to get up from the table too, but Spike stopped him by asking, “Oi, who pissed in your cornflakes?”
 
Billy looked from his half-eaten bowl of cereal to Sue-Ann’s retreating back, then back to his father. “Nobudy … I don’t reckon,” he answered, unsure. His voice sounded … different.
 
“Then why ‘aven’t you eaten ‘em?” Spike wondered, cocking a brow at the bowl.
 
“I ain’t hoongry,” Billy drawled in an accent that sounded suspiciously like Sue-Ann’s and Sammy’s.
 
“Why the bloody hell are you talkin’ like that?” Spike demanded, looking at him with a bit of confusion mixed with suspicion.

 

“I … uhhh … like what?” Billy replied innocently, the drawl fading.
 
“Like ya been on a dusty trail with Huckleberry Hound too bloody long.”
 
Billy shrugged and looked at the door of the kitchen through which Sue-Ann had gone. “No reason,” he offered. “Kin I … ummm … I mean, may I be excused?”
 
Spike looked at Buffy, who just shrugged. Spike looked back at Billy and watched his son’s eyes dart back to the doorway where the redhead had gone. Billy had stood up when his mother shrugged and was now wringing his hands and bouncing on his toes, his flaxen curls dancing anxiously atop his head with every movement. The boy was acting antsy and nervous – like a racehorse waiting for the gates to open before a race. Spike watched Billy reach one small hand up to his head and begin fidgeting with his hair, twirling a finger round and round nervously in the mass of curls. Oh, bloody hell.
 
Spike sighed and nodded. “Give your food t’ that mangy cat first,” Spike told him.
 
Billy’s face lit up and he grabbed his bowl off the table, sloshing some milk out as he did so. He quickly put it down next to the cats’ food and water bowls, trailing a line of sugary milk across the floor. Angelpie was there in a second, lapping at it happily. Before Spike could even tell him to get a dishrag and clean up his mess, Billy was gone – out the door of the kitchen and off to find Sue-Ann.
 
Sue-Ann was in Bess’ room, packing last-minute items into her duffel bag. Billy came in, picked a pair of socks up off the floor under the edge of Bess’ bed, and handed them to her.
 
“Thanks, sweet pea,” Sue-Ann drawled, taking them and stuffing them into her bag before scanning the floor for anything else she might’ve dropped.
 
Billy stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jeans and scuffed one foot on the carpet anxiously. His eyes were glued on the floor, as if helping her look for more lost items.
 
“Sumthin’ the matter?” Sue-Ann asked, lifting her gaze from the floor to his blue eyes.
 
He shook his head, sending his 'Peter Frampton' curls jostling this way and that.
 
“You shore?” she asked softly, sitting down on Bess’ bed.
 
Billy shrugged and finally looked up at her. “Cain’t ya stay a spell longer?” he asked in a thick drawl.
 
Sue-Ann gave him an apologetic smile and shook her head. “I’m awful sorry, baby doll. Sammy’s got t’ get back t’ work. Been closed over a week a’ready.”
 
“But … you could stay. We've got lots of room,” he offered excitedly, forgetting to add the southern accent. “Mama wouldn’t mind.”
 
The strawberry blonde smiled at him again and shook her head. “I wish I could, but I gotta get back too – got people depending on me back in Cleveland. I’ll be back though – you kin count on that, sweetie.”
 
Billy sighed heavily and blinked back tears. “But … why?” he asked, trying not to sound like a whiny baby as his blue eyes shone with a thin film of heartbreak.
 
“Awww, baby, don’t you cry now,” Sue-Ann cajoled, beckoning him to sit down next to her. Billy obliged, and Sue-Ann wrapped an arm around his small shoulders and pulled him against her side.
 
“Now, you listen here. I’m proud as punch t’ count you as one a’ m’ best friends in the whole world. A good friend’s as scarce as hen’s teeth, so ya know I won’t be forgettin’ ya, now. You'll always be my sweet, little Billy Blue Eyes.
 
“Are ya on Facebook?” she asked him, hopefully.
 
Billy shook his head and sniffed back his tears. “Mama says I’m too little,” he complained.
 
Sue-Ann nodded. “Yeah, I reckon that’s right … but ya got email, dontcha?”
 
Billy nodded against her.
 
“Well, there ya go, honey – you kin email me any ole time,” Sue-Ann offered brightly. “And, you jus’ tell Bessie t’ let you know when she calls and we kin talk, too.”
 
“When will you come back?” Billy asked, his mood not really buoyed by the email or infrequent phone call idea.
 
“Difficult to see, always in motion is the future,” Sue-Ann replied, imitating Yoda … if he were a good ole boy from the Deep South.

 

That finally got a smile from Billy and he looked up and met her eyes. “‘The Empire Strikes Back’,” Billy announced, identifying which episode the quote was from. They’d played that game a few times while she’d been waiting between events during the Olympics. He hadn’t been able to stump her even once. It had only made him love her more.
 
Sue-Ann smiled and nodded. She gave him a hard squeeze and released him as she reached for a pen and paper on Bess’ bedside table. “Here’s my email – you just write whenever ya want, 'kay? An’ I promise t’ write ya back, lickety-split.”
 
Billy nodded as he took the paper from her, looked at it, then folded it up and put it in his pocket. “Okay,” he agreed grudgingly.
 
“I shore wish ya didn’t haveta go,” he said again sadly, finally remembering to keep the accent on his words.
 
“I know, sweet pea. I’m so awful sorry,” Sue-Ann apologized again. She knelt down on the floor in front of him and pulled him into a hug.
 
“I love you,” Billy whispered in a raspy, tear-choked voice as he wrapped his arms around her neck tightly and buried his face against her neck.
 
“Oh, baby,” Sue-Ann moaned as tears surfaced and leaked from her eyes. “You’re the sweetest little thang a girl could ever wish for.”
 
Suddenly Sue-Ann wasn’t sure what to say. She hadn’t really expected that. Should she say she loved him too? Would that lead him on? He was only seven! Or should she remain silent and break his little heart? She did love him … like she loved Bess and the whole Weckerly family, but she knew that wasn’t what he meant. If he were older she could see herself really falling for him – he was just so sweet and smart and funny. But he was seven and she was fifteen. Those eight years were like a lifetime separating them – actually they were more than Billy's lifetime.
 
She pulled back from the hug and took his small face between her hands. He had tears streaming freely down his face now, his blue eyes earnest and sad, swimming with more tears. She dropped a kiss on his forehead and couldn’t stop herself from saying, “I love you too.”
 
“Then why can’t you stay?” Billy asked in a strained voice, again forgetting his put-on accent.
 
Sue-Ann shook her head sadly, her chocolate-brown eyes swimming with tears. “’Cos sometimes love just ain’t enough, sweet boy … sometimes love breaks our hearts. I’m so sorry,” she said again.

"B-but ... I don't understand," he stuttered, his jaw quivering with emotion as he searched her eyes desperately for something ... anything that could make this make sense.

Sue-Ann sighed heavily and shook her head as more tears streaked her cheeks. "I don't rightly understand it, m'self ... it's just ... it's just how it does ya sometimes. It's not fair ... I know ... I... I'm so awful sorry."
 
Billy clenched his jaw, pulled away from her, and clambered off the end of Bess’ bed. Without another word, he raced out of the room and down the hall, his small feet stomping loudly on the wood floor. She could hear the door to his room open and then slam shut behind him and she flinched at the finality of it.  Sue-Ann blew out a breath and wiped at her eyes as she slowly stood and picked up her duffel bag. With a heavy heart she headed downstairs where she knew Sammy would be ready and waiting for her.
 
**~**
 
Downstairs, everyone hugged and said their goodbyes near the garden doors. Buffy admonished them to drive safely and told them both they were welcome back anytime. Spike promised Sammy that he’d take good care of the Harley and the DeSoto, and would bring the family ‘back east’ for a visit, maybe during spring break or next summer. Bess and Sue-Ann cried and hugged each other goodbye for the longest time, and Bess promised to take a trip out to see Sue-Ann as soon as she could for a visit.
 
“Where’s Junior?” Spike asked as Bess and Sue-Ann finally released their hug. “Reckon he’d want t’ say g’bye.”
 
Sue-Ann shook her head and said, “We … ummm … he told me bye upstairs.”

 

Spike’s eyes darted to the top of the stairs, then back to her tear-streaked face. He pursed his lips and nodded before shaking Sammy’s hand one last time. The two redheads gathered up their bags and headed out the door, then up the steps to the street where Sammy’s pickup truck was parked. Suddenly, all that was left of the happy visit were sniffles, tears, and that kind of empty, lonely feeling you get when you’re separated from people you care about.
 
The kids all dispersed, each going a different direction to deal with the let-down in their own way. Buffy stepped up to Spike with a look of concern on her face. “Do you think he’s ok?” she asked, looking up at the top of the stairs.
 
Spike shook his head. “Reckon not,” he admitted.
 
“Should I … talk to him, ya think? Or just let him be?” Buffy wondered.
 
Spike blew out a breath, keeping his eyes on the top of the stairs, the same place Buffy’s were. “I’ll talk to ‘im,” he offered, drawing in a deep breath before heading towards the stairs.
 
Spike knocked softly on Billy’s door before opening it. Billy was laying face-down on his bed with his head buried against his arms. Spike could hear his shuddering breaths and smell the salty tears. His heart ached for his tender-hearted son as he stepped into the room. Spike wished he could protect his boy from the pain, but there wasn’t anything he could do to lessen the hurt. It was something everyone had to go through at one time or another in their lives – usually several times.
 
Spike sat down on the edge of the bed, laid a hand on Billy’s t-shirt-clad back, and began to rub it soothingly. He didn’t say anything for a long while as he waited for Billy’s sobs to ease and his breathing to return to nearly normal.
 
“She said she loved me but that love wasn’t always enough,” Billy whispered into his pillow. If not for Spike’s vampire hearing, he might not’ve even heard it.
 
“Reckon that’s true enough,” Spike admitted.
 
Billy sniffed loudly and turned over to look at his father. His blue eyes were puffy and rimmed with red; tears still leaked slowly from them every time he blinked. He wiped his face with his hands and sniffed again before asking, “I don't understand ... it's not fair.”

 

Spike nodded slightly and frowned. “No, it ain't a fair game. Not rightly sure why or who made up the soddin' rules. Should be enough. When you’re in it, it feels like enough … but …” Spike shook his head and blew out a breath. “I reckon there are some things we just aren’t meant to understand, William.”
 
“My heart hurts,” Billy admitted, wrapping his arms around his torso tightly. “I was so happy when she was here and now … it hurts so much.”
 
“I know. We all take the chance o’ gettin’ our heart broke when we offer it t’ someone else. Just the way love is, I reckon ... it's a gamble; biggest chance you can ever take, love is."
 
“I’ll never love anybody again,” Billy vowed resolutely, sniffing back his tears.
 
“Ah, well … that’s the rub, innit? Can’t stop yer heart from lovin’, can ya? Got no control over it, we don’t. Got a mind of its own, it does.”
 
Billy frowned and rubbed at his tired, swollen eyes with his fingers. “I don't care. I won't let it – never, ever, ever," he avowed again.

Spike gave him a faint smile. He knew the feeling. He'd vowed that to himself more than once in his life. "Just because this one time didn't work out don’t mean you should stop lovin’, ‘cos one day love will be enough, and it’ll be brilliant. One day all the chips'll fall your way – but ya gotta keep playing the game, son. Ya can't win if you don't play, Junior.

"If ya' don't believe me, then how about Tennyson? 'Better to 'ave loved and lost than never to have loved at all,'" Spike quoted. "You were right brave t' give your heart away – I'm proud of you for daring it. Don't ever stop following your heart, William, it's the only thing that makes life worth livin'."

Billy frowned and fretted his bottom lip with his teeth. His dad didn't understand – how could he? He had Mama. How could he know what it felt like to have his heart ripped out? Billy stayed silent for a long time, finally deciding that arguing with his father over this was pointless. He was sure no one in the whole would could ever understand how much his heart hurt right at that moment.

"Will it ever stop hurting?” he wondered at last.
 
Spike nodded reassuringly. “It’ll take a bit for it t’ stop. Just gets a little better every day until one day ya wake up and it don’t hurt no more. One day you’ll realize that you ‘aven’t thought of ‘er at all and it’ll surprise you. That’s when you’ll know your heart’s healed.”
 
“Can’t I just take a pill and make it stop?” Billy wondered.
 
Spike smiled down at him gently. “Sorry, Junior – hearts ain’t like heads, can’t take an aspirin and ‘ave it quit hurtin’.”
 
Billy dug down into the pocket of his jeans and pulled the paper out that Sue-Ann had given him. He unfolded it and looked at it solemnly. She had written her name and her email address and underneath she’d drawn a heart with an arrow shot through it. Tears started forming in his eyes again as he looked at it. He traced the heart with the tip of his small finger and his bottom lip stuck out in a forlorn, Summers’ pout.
 
Spike leaned forward and looked at the paper, then looked back at Billy’s distraught face.  “Well, didn’ leave ya empty-handed, then, did she?”
 
Billy shook his head slowly, the pout never fading from this lip.
 
“Ya gonna email ‘er, then?”
 
Billy pursed his lips and moved them from side to side as he always did when he was thinking hard about something. “I don’t know,” he said at last. “What would you do if it was Mama?”
 
Now it was Spike’s turn to purse his lips together as he thought. Finally, he said, “Well, ya may not know this, but yer mum didn’t take a shine t’ me right off.”
 
“’Cos she’s the Slayer and you’re a vampire,” Billy filled in. But she didn't go half-way across the country and leave you alone and heartbroken, he thought, still certain that his dad couldn't possibly really understand how badly it hurt.
 
“Yeah … kinda like oil and water, that is,” Spike agreed.
 
“What did you do?”
 
“Well, I waited, didn’t I? Hung about, got under ‘er skin, waited for ‘er to come to her bloody senses.”
 
“Soooo … if she would’ve given you her email address you would’ve…” Billy let his voice trail off and looked at his father expectantly.
 
“Played it cool, yeah? Waited a day or two, sent one email … jus’ been casual ‘bout it,” Spike offered confidently.
 
Against his will and with tears still in his eyes, Billy began to laugh. Spike couldn’t believe it, he was giving heartfelt advice and his son was laughing at him.
 
“No you wouldn’t’ve!” Billy exclaimed, still laughing. “You woulda filled her inbox up the first night with ten thousand messages! You would've sent poems and Shakespeare quotes and...”

 

“Would not!” Spike argued indignantly, cutting him off.
 
“Would too!”
 
“Not!”
 
“Too!”
 
“Would bloody not!” Spike insisted.
 
Billy raised his brows, pursed his lips, tilted his head, and looked at his father doubtfully. At least the boy had stopped crying, but Spike wasn't sure laughing at his advice was really necessary.
 
Spike ran a hand back through his hair, rolled his eyes, and sighed. “Right then – fine, I probably woulda, but that woulda been the wrong thing t’ do. She couldn’t read all those emails, yeah? It’d just get on ‘er nerves … make ‘er nuts, right? Trust your old man on this – just send one and go from there.”
 
Billy sighed and looked forlornly back at the paper Sue-Ann had written her information on. Finally he nodded, folded the paper in half, and propped it up against the lamp on the table by his bed so he could see the heart she’d drawn on it.
 
“Love isn't anything like they show on TV ... it's awfully complicated,” he reflected at last. "And girls are like ... food poisoning. They twist your guts all up into knots and make you wish you could just die so it would stop."
 
“Outta the mouths of babes…” Spike agreed.
 
**~**
 
{{  Click here to hear Puppy Love by Paul Anka on YouTube  }}

And they called it puppy love
Oh, I guess they'll never know
How a young heart really feels
And why I love her so

And they called it puppy love
Just because we're in our teens
Tell them all it isn't fair
To take away my only dream

I cry each night my tears for you
My tears are all in vain
I'll hope and I'll pray that maybe someday
You'll be back in my arms once again

Someone, help me, help me, help me please
Is the answer up above
How can I, how can I tell them
This is not a puppy love
End Notes:
Oh, poor sweet Billy! :(
Bromance by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike and Xander go on a mission together.
**
Thanks to everyone for their support of the Unexpected Universe, which won Best Alternate Universe and Best Series in the latest round of the SunnyD Memorial Fanfic awards. Annie got the runner-up spot for Best Original Character and I got runner-up for Best Spuffy Author. I can't thank everyone enough for voting and keeping my muse 'musey'! {hugs}
**
Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing the rest of this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
First, a little reminder:

The Unexpected Universe has gotten so long and complicated, even I have trouble remembering things at times, so a small refresher to make the next section make sense (I hope):

Back at the end of the very first story, the Buffy in the ‘Whedon-verse’ (aka: Canon) dimension had a decision to make: stay with Spike in the Hellmouth and make him believe that she truly loved him, or do as he said and leave him there alone to ‘see how it ends’.

One Buffy left him and the Whedon-verse continued unchanged; another part of her, however, decided to stay with Spike, and a new dimension was created at that point. Both Spike and Buffy burned up and died together in that world. Their bravery was rewarded by the PTB, and their souls and memories were folded into our Spike and Buffy at that time (reference: Unexpected, For Love, Chapter 53). At that decision point, where Buffy had to decide whether to stay or go, a new dimension was spun off in the universe. This new dimension had neither a Buffy nor a Spike in it. This left Dawn an orphan (again). Let’s call it the OrphanedKey Universe.
 
A portal to this universe (as well as one back to the Whedon-verse, which Buffy used later to change things and create the Rome Universe, (reference: Life Goes On section: Danger Across Dimensions)) was created in the Hellmouth near the stairs leading out, where Spike was standing when the amulet activated and Buffy made her decision.
 
Bottom line: There are portals that can be opened between the Rome Universe and the OrphanedKey Universe just at the foot of the stairs that led down under the high school basement and into the Hellmouth.
 
{{  Click here to see the Universe Map in PDF file  }}

***********************************

(A few days after Sue-Ann and Sammy left) Saturday, September 3rd, 2011:
 
Faith, Spike, Buffy, Xander, Anya, Willow, and Tara walked in silence through the empty hallways of Sunnydale High. It was always a little freaky being back in the high school for all of them, but especially for Buffy, Xander, and Willow. The school was like an old friend … that tried to kill them on several occasions. Yeah, it was freaky. It was probably over-kill to bring so many people on this fairly simple mission, but no one had been in the Hellmouth in years and Buffy didn't know what to expect; she wanted to be ready for anything.

 

The group made their way down into the basement and to the locked room that held the Seal of Danzalthar:  the doorway into the Hellmouth. Xander produced a key to one of the padlocks on the door and Buffy pulled out a key to a second lock; together they unlocked the door for the first time in several years. Everyone held their breath as Xander swung one of the heavy doors open and Buffy shone her flashlight into the darkness. Everything looked just as they had left it – the Seal was tightly closed.
 
Buffy blew out the breath she’d been holding and forced herself to start breathing normally again as she led the way into the room. The small group stood around the Seal, each with their weapon of choice in hand. Buffy sat the flashlight down and took out several pints of Willy’s best O Neg from a bag she had slung over her shoulder.
 
She looked around at the group a moment, then asked, “Everyone ready?”
 
“No,” Anya answered her immediately. “I don’t like this one bit. I don’t understand why Xander has to go with Spike … I mean, why don’t you go with Spike. He’s your husband.”

 

“Ahn,” Xander cajoled. “We’ve been over this – I want to go. It’ll be fine – it’s not like we’re going to some hell dimension. It’ll be just like here except… well, with a big crater instead of a town.”
 
Anya harrumphed and crossed her arms angrily over her chest. “If you don’t come back, I’ll hunt you down and make sure some of your favorite parts start falling off, Xander LaVelle Harris … and yours too, William,” she added, shooting Spike a warning glare. “It won’t be pretty and it will definitely involve lots of pustules and searing pain.”

 

Xander and Spike both shifted uncomfortably in their spots as their dangly bits tried make themselves as small as possible and suck up into their bodies.
 
“Ahn, everything will be fine,” Xander managed at last, trying to sound unconcerned. “We’ll be back before you know it.”
 
Anya rolled her eyes and sighed in resignation. “Fine, but the next time I want to go somewhere unusual, I don’t want to hear one word from you, buster.”
 
“When have I ever stopped you from going anywhere you wanted, Anya?” Xander demanded angrily.
 
“I wanted to go to Baker Beach and you absolutely refused,” Anya reminded him.
 
Xander’s jaw dropped open. “That was … ten years ago! And I had good reason to not want to go there!”
 
“Says you,” Anya groused.
 
“Says any straight guy in the whole world! It’s a gay beach … a gay nude beach! Hello! Earth to Anya – not gay … not dropping m’ skivvies on a gay beach!”
 
Anya rolled her eyes. “Trust me, Xander, I love you, but you’re no Billy Bean. The most that would happen is you might not’ve gotten asked out on a date.”
 
“Demon bird’s got a point, Harris. Got a bit of a muffin top, you do,” Spike interjected with a smirk.
 
Xander frowned and look down at his less-than-flat abs. “I just haven’t had time to work out lately with all the work at the Council,” he offered as an excuse. He looked back at Spike with confusion. “They don’t call it a ‘muffin top’ on men, do they?”
 
“Prefer dough-boy, then?” Spike wondered, cocking a brow at the younger man.

 

Xander scowled at him and turned his attention back to his wife. “I don’t even know why you wanted to go there … I mean – they’re gay!”
 
Anya tsked her tongue and sighed heavily. “Well, to look, of course! Where else can you find a sea of naked men who don’t care if a woman is looking at them?”
 
“Anya, that’s what they invented the internet for!” Xander contended.
 
“You look at naked men on the internet?” Anya asked, sounding a bit jealous. “Why didn’t you tell me!”
 
“What! No! No! No naked men on the internet!” Xander objected, waving his hands adamantly. “Only naked wo…mbats … wombats are just … whoa … very interesting when they’re … naked,” Xander stammered as Anya’s eyes grew wider with each word.

 

Anya rolled her eyes. “Honestly, Xander, you are such a homophobe. You really need to come into the twenty-first century.”
 
Xander sighed and shook his head. “I am not a homophone...phobe,” he objected. “Two of my best friends are gay,” he pointed out, waving a hand at Willow and Tara, who were remaining unusually silent on the subject.
 
“Oh, please! They’re women – you just think that’s hot! You have no gay men friends at all,” Anya insisted.
 
Xander held his hands up in surrender. “Fine … when I get back, we’ll go to a gay nude beach. Maybe I can get someone to gay me up. It might be nice to have another man around the house. At least I’d know what the fuck he was talking about and wouldn’t have to worry about him bringing up something I did ten years ago and tossing it in my face.”
 
“Word o’ advice, Harris. Be sure t’ pick one that shaves close – that stubble can leave a bit of a whisker burn on sensitive spots. Painful, it is,” Spike advised with a smirk.
 
“Thank you – I needed that visual,” Xander moaned, rolling his eyes. “Please never tell me how you know that.”
 
“See?” Anya accused, pointing a finger at her husband. “Homophobe.”



"Hey, Ahn, I'll go with you to Baker Beach ... I might be able to convert one of them," Faith offered with a smirk. "I don't seem to be having any luck around here, anyway. If it weren't for very expensive, long-distance phone sex with Lindsey I wouldn't be getting any at all."

Anya brightened considerably. "Well, I'm certain they aren't all gay. I mean, it stands to reason that some of them are bi ... Xander's a 'bio-phobe' too ... unless it's a woman. Do you know he wouldn't even consider a three-way unless..."
 
“Ahn! Ixnay on the exsay alktay already!" Xander demanded, cutting her off. "Can we please just do this?” he asked in exasperation, looking at Buffy.
 
“Just waiting for the touching send-off to be over,” Buffy sighed as she began dumping the blood onto the Seal of Danzalthar.
 
The Seal began to glow and shift, then sections began to fold to reveal the stairs that led down into the Hellmouth itself. The group stood with their weapons at the ready in case anything emerged from below, but only stale air came out of the opening. When the Seal stopped moving, Buffy led the way down the stairs, followed closely by Faith, then the witches, the Harris’, and finally Spike behind them all, bringing up the rear.
 
Buffy walked over to the precipice and shone her light down into the depths of hell from which The First’s uber-vamps had ascended all those years ago. The dust from all the Turok-han that had been killed with Willow and Tara’s magical sun was still evident. It was still clogging the Hellmouth, but it had settled, or dropped, by a good bit since Buffy had last seen it. It was hard to judge distance in the cavernous space, but Buffy guessed it was now about a hundred feet lower than it had been about eight years ago when The First Evil had tried to rise to power.
 


Spike walked up behind her and scanned the layer of dust that filled the bottomless pit, beyond what Buffy’s light could actually illuminate. He could see fissures and cracks beginning to form in the packed vampire dust. It would only be a matter of time before it opened again; how long was hard to judge. Ten years? Twenty? There was no way to really tell.
 
“All quiet on the southern front, then,” Spike offered as he looked over the edge with Buffy. A couple of the others had come up to check it out too.
 
Buffy took a deep breath and nodded. “Looks that way.” She turned her eyes away from the pit and over to her husband. “You don’t have to do this – I could go,” she offered.
 
Spike shook his head. “Got the Gem, I’ll be fine,” he contended. “Plus – got Harris backin’ me up … what could possibly go wrong?”
 
Buffy snorted a laugh and rolled her eyes. “I wish you hadn’t said that. You do realize you just totally jinxed it.”
 
Spike shrugged. “No worries, luv. We’ll be careful. Don’ want demon girl tracking me down making m’ favorite bits fall off,” Spike joked.
 
“You and me both,” Buffy agreed, giving him a wry smile.
 
“But, seriously – if anything goes wrong, just forget it and come back, ok?” Buffy admonished him.
 
Spike nodded. “Got it, no worries.”
 
“And don’t forget to show her you’re not The First – touch her if you can … she thinks you’re gone … well … you are gone, we’re both gone,” Buffy continued.
 
“Got it, Slayer.”

 

Buffy nodded and rolled her eyes. “I know you do. I wouldn’t even have suggested it but … I think it would do Annie a lot of good to be able to talk to her. I think it would make her feel less … freakish … less alone. She doesn’t show it, but it’s there – I saw it.”
 
“Reckon that’s true enough,” Spike agreed with a nod.
 
Buffy took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Ok, you ready to go find Dawn?”
 
“Does a bear shit in the woods?” Spike asked with a grin.
 
Buffy rolled her eyes. “If a bear shits in the woods, but there’s no one there to smell it, does it have any odor?”
 
Spike frowned and furrowed his brow a moment. “Reckon I better get goin’ ‘fore you start asking about astronauts and cavemen, pet.”
 
Buffy laughed and pulled him into a hug. Spike wrapped his arms around her and dropped his lips to hers, savoring the taste and feel of her for several long moments.

 

Finally breaking the kiss he whispered, “I love you, Slayer,” against her lips. “You’re a good mum.”
 
Buffy gave him a small smile, his lips still hovering over hers. “I love you too. Be careful.”
 
“Middle name, pet.”
 
**~**
 
With backpacks on their shoulders full of every supply they could think to bring, Xander and Spike waited for Buffy to open the portal that led back to the dimension where both Spike and she had burned in the Hellmouth, leaving her sister, Dawn, alone. Since regaining her memories of the Gift-less dimension, Buffy had been thinking about Dawn more and more, and thinking about how much Annie had really wanted to talk to her.
 
Buffy well remembered the feeling of isolation she’d had when she’d been Called – being the one and only Slayer in the whole world – but at least she knew that other Slayers had come before her and would come after her. Annie was the one and only Key in the entire world … in the entire history of the world.
 
No one could tell Annie what that would mean for her as she grew older. Would she always be the Key? Would her blood always open portals? Would any other powers come from the ancient Key energy that was within her? What would happen to that energy when she died? No one knew.
 
If Dawn had survived the collapse of Sunnydale, which actually wasn’t a certainty, she would be twenty-five; thirteen years Annie’s senior. Buffy hoped that, if she had survived, if Spike and Xander could find her, and if they could convince her to come back with them, that she might have some answers for Annie. At the very least, Dawn could show Annie that she wasn’t alone in the universe … and vice-versa for that matter.
 
Since Buffy didn’t know what they’d face when they opened the gateway to the Hellmouth, she’d waited for Labor Day weekend when Willow and Tara were visiting, for extra magical muscle. So far, though, things seemed to be going smoothly – that was almost certainly a very bad sign.
 
Despite Anya’s objections, Xander had volunteered to go with Spike on the mission. Spike insisted he could do it alone, but Buffy liked the idea of someone going with him. Faith said she’d go, but Buffy didn’t know if the police were still looking for her in the other world. That could get very complicated very quickly if they were.
 
Xander seemed excited by the prospect of an actual mission that didn’t involve fixing broken pipes, patching holes in walls, or ordering pastries. It had been a while since he’d been on a real mission, and this didn’t sound like it would be all that dangerous. Find a girl who was presumably like Annie that could be living anywhere in the world, who may, or may not still be named Summers. Ask her nicely if she’d like to go with two strange men, one of whom had been dead to her for eight years, to another dimension for a visit. Piece of cake. The hardest part Xander anticipated was getting out of the crater that Buffy said would be all that was left of Sunnydale, and then walking for several hot, dry miles to the next nearest town. Maybe he should’ve taken some time to train a bit before this. Oh well, too late now.
 
Maybe I can lose this muffin-top while I’m gone. It'd serve Anya right if I start getting propositioned on gay, nude beaches and she didn't, he thought brightly as he stood next to Spike and watched Buffy open the two portals at the base of the stairs.
 
One portal led to the ‘Rome’ dimension and came out in the demolished Wolfram & Hart building – or, at least, it had been demolished the last time any of them had seen it. They didn’t want that one – it would be a very long and deadly first step if there was no building there. They wanted the other portal, the one that led to a dimension none of them had ever actually been in, but Buffy and Spike remembered. The souls and memories of the Buffy and Spike from that dimension had been folded into their own when both warriors died closing the Hellmouth.
 
As the two portals began to blaze brightly and grow in size, Anya came up and wrapped Xander in a tight hug and kissed him deeply. “Be careful you stupid, idiotic man. I want you back all in one, undamaged piece,” she admonished him harshly when the kiss broke.

 

Xander smiled at her. “I love you too, Ahn.”
 
“Right, then – ‘ere we go,” Spike announced as Anya backed up away from Xander.
 
With a last glance at their wives, Spike and Xander jumped forward into the portal that would lead them into the dimension where Buffy chose to stay and die with Spike in the Hellmouth. They’d no sooner passed through the bright, swirling light than they both fell backwards onto their asses on the floor of the Hellmouth, right at Buffy and Anya’s feet.
 
“Bloody hell!” Spike exclaimed, rubbing his split lip.

 

Xander was wiping blood from his nose and cursing under his breath.
 
“What happened?” Buffy exclaimed, stepping forward.
 
“Ran into a bloody wall,” Spike informed her, standing up.
 
Buffy stepped up to the portal and pushed her hand through gingerly. She was met with something hard and solid. It felt like a concrete wall.
 
“Shit,” she muttered, pulling her hand back. She turned to Willow and Tara. “Can you guys like … blast it out of the way?”
 
Willow shrugged and stepped forward. “Ummmm … eradicae!”  Willow tried, extending her hands through the portal. The wall cracked a bit, but didn’t crumble or move.
 
The red witch blew out a frustrated breath. “Ok … back up, we’ll have to really blast it,” she told everyone as she took a few steps back herself. Everyone moved back and away from the portal, which had already started growing smaller. Tara stepped up next to Willow and took one of her wife’s hands in hers, then the two witches extended their outside hands towards the portal.
 
“Ventas servitas!” the two witches exclaimed as one. At once, a fierce wind whipped up from nowhere, flowed from their outstretched hands, and into the portal. There was a sound of concrete being smashed as the wind slammed into the wall like a sledgehammer and blew a hole through the obstruction. Concrete dust filled the air inside the Hellmouth as the wind subsided. Everyone began coughing and waving their hands in front of their faces to clear the air so they could breathe … well, everyone except Spike.
 
“Thanks, Red!” Spike called as he ushered Xander forward before the portal closed completely. It had gotten so small that they had to crawl through one at a time. Buffy had more Key blood to reopen it, but Spike figured why waste the blood; every vial meant another donation from Annie.
 
Xander was still coughing and squinting against the fog of debris as he clambered through the opening. On the other side, he fell about three feet and landed in a bed of sand and gravel. Spike fell on top of him.
 
“Get off!” Xander demanded, pushing against Spike. “Geez – I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come on this mission.”
 
Spike stood up, readjusted the backpack on his shoulders, and looked around as he waited for Xander to get up off the ground. “Quit yer bitchin’,” Spike admonished his traveling companion. “Could ‘ave worse things on top of ya than my hot, tight little body.”

 

"Please don’t start that shit again,” Xander growled as he stood up and tried to clear the dust from his eyes and nose.
 
“Hey! Is someone down there!? What happened? Are you hurt?” someone called from above them.
 
Xander and Spike looked at each other questioningly. They thought the Sunnydale crater would be deserted. Suddenly, a ladder slid down next to Xander and a man with a yellow hardhat descended into the slowly-clearing dust storm.
 
“Uhhh … hi,” Xander stammered. “We’re alright, thanks.”
 
“Man – that was wild! Never seen anything like it! The ground just exploded!” the man exclaimed, looking around. “Damn – fucked up the catch-pit! Shit, this is gonna take another three days to fix. We’re already two weeks behind schedule! This is just what I need!
 
“What the hell happened?” the man demanded as the dust finally settled. “What were you doing…” the man stopped talking abruptly. “Harris? Xander Harris?” the newcomer asked, his brow furrowed in confusion.
 
“Mr. McNally!” Xander exclaimed, recognizing his old boss from the construction company that had gone out of business back home. “Uhhhh … we were … ummm … inspecting!” Xander lied, inspiration striking him like a bolt from the blue. “I’m with the building department now and … I gotta tell ya, this catch-pit was substandard. The concrete obviously wasn’t cured long enough and didn’t have enough reinforcement. The tensile strength was well below minimum requirements. How many more of these do you have on this job?” Xander asked, giving the man a stern glare.
 
“I … uhhh …” Mr. McNally stammered, looking at the demolished sewer catch-pit.

 

Before he could say anything else, Xander, who had now fully gotten into his role an as inspector, barked at Spike, “Let’s go – I’ve got the plans in my truck. All the concrete in all the sewer pipes needs to be tested. I’m shutting this job down until there’s a complete and thorough investigation. Where’d you get this concrete, McNally? China?”
 
Spike didn’t hesitate. He started up the ladder and out of the hole that Willow and Tara had blown in the ground, and Xander followed quickly behind him. Mr. McNally was still standing there dumbstruck in the bottom of what used to be a large catch-pit for the new sewer system for the planned city of New Sunnydale.
 
“This area needs to be flagged – I don’t want anything touched until I can get my concrete strength testing technician out here with his equipment,” Xander ordered down at McNally from the rim of the hole.
 
“But … but … I can’t just close down the whole job! We're on a schedule! It'd be my job if I fall further behind on this project,” the foreman began to complain as he clambered up the ladder. “Geez, Harris! Give me a break! You know how these things go. I’m sure we can ... work something out here,” McNally proposed as he reached the top of the ladder and gave Xander a knowing look.
 
Xander scowled at the man. “Rope. It. Off,” he demanded, pointing at the small crater. “Don’t touch it. Don’t fix it. Don’t fill it in. If I come back here and see that one speck of sand has been shifted, I’ll close your whole job down so fast it’ll make your head spin,” Xander threatened. “Is that clear?”
 
McNally frowned deeply. “What about the other pipes? I’ve got the asphalt company coming in tomorrow to start paving the roads.”
 
Xander looked around them, turning in a slow circle. The crater that Buffy said would be here had been filled in and there was a skeleton of a town forming, as if slowly regenerating from the ground up. Curbs and sidewalks had been laid and the limestone base for the asphalt was in place around the area they were standing. Footers for buildings had been poured and the bare-bone forms of houses stood in various states of construction up and down the unpaved roads.
 
Xander turned back to the foreman, still keeping his air of authority. “You can keep going, but don’t touch this one,” he ordered. “Like you said, I’m sure we can work something out.”
 
McNally let out a relieved breath and wiped a layer of sweat off his brow with the back of his hand. “You got it,” he agreed eagerly.
 
Xander took out his smartphone, brought up the GPS app, and recorded exactly where the crater, and the portal back home, was. Still looking at his phone, as if checking his schedule, he said, “I’ve got some other appointments this afternoon. My assistant and I will be back with the concrete tech in a day or two to check this one,” Xander told him, pointing at the hole in the ground. “I’m not sure why there isn’t any yellow tape around it yet, though…”
 
Xander looked at Spike solemnly. “Didn’t I tell him I wanted this roped off?”
 
“’Bout four times, by my count,” Spike agreed dryly, exaggerating slightly.
 


Xander pulled his top lip between his teeth to keep from laughing as the foreman started scurrying around. Mr. McNally barked at some of his men and they all started helping him. They grabbed several flashing barricades and some bright orange flagging tape, and they began roping the area off.
 
“See you in a couple of days … a week at the most,” Xander called over his shoulder as he beckoned for Spike to follow him away from the harried foreman.
 
“We’re goin’ the wrong way,” Spike growled under his breath as he followed Xander.
 
“Trust me,” Xander rasped back, keeping his voice low, as he headed for one of the construction trailers.
 
The pair ducked behind one of the trailers, out of sight of the foreman, and Xander led the way down a long row of white pickup trucks that were parked there. Xander stopped by the one that looked newest and cleanest, and shrugged out of his backpack, handing it to Spike. Once free of the supplies, Xander quickly dropped down onto his back and shimmied under the rear bumper of the truck.
 
“What the bloody hell are ya doin’?” Spike asked in a low voice, squatting down next to him and looking around nervously.
 
After a moment, Xander emerged from beneath the truck with a small, plastic box. As he stood up, he slid the cover off it and revealed the spare set of keys for the truck. “Why walk when we can ride?” he asked with a victorious grin, holding the keys up and jangling them in front of Spike.

 

Spike swiped the keys from Xander’s hand and headed for the driver’s side of the truck.
 
“Hey!” Xander protested. “My plan – I should drive.”
 
“You drive like m’ soddin’ nan,” Spike informed him tersely as he opened the truck, tossed the backpacks in, and got behind the wheel.

 

“I do not!” Xander argued, climbing into the passenger’s seat. “I’m an excellent driver! I’ve never had a ticket, never been in an accident…” he continued to object as Spike started the truck.
 
“Like I said, ya’ drive like a bloody granny woman!” Spike asserted, backing out of the space. “Be faster t’ walk, what with the way you putter along.”
 
“I don’t putter! Just because I don’t see if I can break the sound barrier with my car doesn’t mean I putter!”
 
Spike checked the gas gauge; the truck had nearly a full tank. He pulled out onto the unfinished road, taking the long way around to avoid being seen by the foreman. Once he was sure they wouldn’t be spotted, he worked his way over to the haul road the construction company had made, and turned west towards the interstate.
 
“This is the thanks I get,” Xander continued to grouse. “I got us out of that sticky situation. I got them to leave that gaping hole open so we could get home. I even got us a truck, and this is the thanks I get.”
 
“What the bloody hell do ya want, Harris? A soddin’ medal?”
 
“A little appreciation once in a while would go a long way. I actually saved our asses back there. Me. With no help from you,” Xander asserted as Spike sped along the unpaved road, leaving a billowing trail of white dust in their wake.
 
Spike rolled his eyes. He would’ve probably just decked the foreman and left him there. Would’ve had the same result … basically. No way was Spike gonna admit that having the area roped off was pretty quick thinking on Harris’ part.
 
Sounding like a cartoon damsel in distress, Spike intoned in a high falsetto, “Oh, Xander … you’re my ‘ero.” Then, looking at Xander and batting his lashes coquettishly, he continued in the same tone, “Whatever could I do to repay you, you sexy hunk o' man?” Spike narrowed his eyes seductively, pursed his lips exaggeratedly, and kissed the air in the direction of his hero.
 
Xander sighed heavily, shook his head, and rolled his eyes. “This is gonna be a long trip.”
 
Spike smirked and turned his attention back to the road. “Be a good sight longer if you were drivin’, Rainman.”

 

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Bromance by Chester See & Ryan Higa  on YouTube  }}

Bromance
Bro-o-o-mance

It's like Eminem and Dr. Dre
If I loved you more I might be gay
And when I'm feeling down
You know just what to say
You my homie, yeah you know me
And if you ever need a wingman
I'd let any girl blow me off
Cause you're more important than the rest
I confess, I'm a mess
If I'm not hanging with my BFF
You know it's true, you my male boo
Now sing the chorus with me if you're feeling the same way too

Bromance, nothing really gay about it
Not, that there's anything wrong with being gay
Bro-o-o-mance, shouldn't be ashamed or hide it
I love you in the most heterosexual way

Hold me
To a promise that I'll be the kind of friend
That in the end will always keep you company
Because when the world gets tough and times get hardx
I will always love you, I'll be your bodyguard
Cause you're my bestie, and if you test me
I'll prove it time and time again
I got your back until the end
A brother from anothexr mother, never knew how much I loved ya
Till I started singing this song, huh?

Bromance (bromance), nothing really gay about it
Not, that there's anything wrong with being gay
Bro-o-o-mance, shouldn't be ashamed or hide it
I love you in the most heterosexual way

Now that I told you how I feel
I hope you feel the same way too
But if you don't, this song was just a joke
But if you do, I love you

Bromance, nothing really gay about it
Not, that there's anything wrong with being gay
Bro-o-o-mance, shouldn't be ashamed or hide it
I love you in the most heterosexual way

End Notes:
More of Spike and Xander's mission to come...

Thanks to Harry Dresden for sharing his wind conjuring spell with Willow and Tara. :)
Stuck in the Middle With You by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike and Xander continue on their mission to find Dawn in the OrphanedKey Universe.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing the rest of this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
Reminder: The OrphanedKey Universe would’ve changed from canon/Whedon-verse with neither Buffy nor Spike in it, so what has happened to Dawn in that universe will not mirror the comics. (I actually have not read the comics, but have a general idea of things that have happened in them.)
 
Saturday, September 3rd, 2011, OrphanKey Universe:
 
Xander was still glowering at Spike as the blond vamp paid for their hotel room an hour or so later. Of course, Xander’s dander had been riled again by Spike signing them in as ‘Mr. and Mrs. Smith’, which garnered a curious, and slightly disdainful, look from the elderly man behind the counter.
 
Spike had picked an older, smaller motel to serve as their base of operations, rather than one of the large chains. The newer hotels would’ve wanted a credit card as a deposit; a mom & pop place probably wouldn’t. Not that the men didn’t have credit cards, but the likelihood that they would work in this dimension was slim. He did choose a motel that had a new sign promising ‘free wi-fi’ right under the faded letters that announced that their rooms were ‘air conditioned’, had ‘private phones’ and ‘color TVs’.
 
Spike paid in cash for the room and got the key from the old man as Xander stood behind him and waited angrily. Xander thought about protesting the way Spike had signed them in, but decided that would just draw more attention, and settled for shooting daggers at Spike’s back with his eyes.
 
Spike made sure to further take the piss out of Xander by giving him a smoldering look and whispering loud enough for the old man to hear, “C’mon, pet. Our love nest awaits.” Then, as he walked towards the door of the lobby, in an even louder voice Spike said, “Wonder if they got them Magic Fingers on the bed. That’d be bloody brilliant, wouldn’ it, sweets?”

 

“I know one vampire that’s gonna be introduced to a magic wooden stake if he doesn’t shut up,” Xander growled under his breath as he followed Spike out.
 
“Oooo, sounds bloody kinky. Can’t wait, you bad boy,” Spike teased as he climbed into the pickup. He’d requested a room on the back side of the motel, out of sight of the road, just in case anyone had missed the pickup at the construction company. He didn’t want to make it easy for the police to spot it, especially since there was a donut shop just across the street that seemed to be a magnet for the local LEOs.
 
“Will you stop it!?” Xander rasped as he got in the truck and slammed the door. “I swear I don’t know what Buffy sees in you sometimes. You’re insufferable!”
 
Spike began to laugh as he started the truck. Taking the piss outta Xander was almost too easy. “Oooo … such a big word! And I always thought Anya only loved ya’ for your penis.”
 
**~**
 
They had their pick of parking places around the back of the old motel. There was only one other car there, and it looked like it’d been there since 1972. Spike parked right in front of their room’s window. He backed into the spot, just in case they needed to make a hasty exit. Xander grabbed the two backpacks and followed Spike to their room.
 
Spike had to jiggle the key in the lock a bit to get it to unlock and shove his shoulder against the door to get it to open. The inside of the room looked pretty much like the outside of the motel: like time had forgotten it. It was like stepping into a time warp. All the furnishings looked to be circa 1950 – and they weren’t reproductions.
 
Everything was well-worn, slightly tattered, and definitely faded.  To be honest, the fact that everything was more than a little faded was a relief. The carpet was sculpted, or had been at one time. Now, however, the long shag parts were pressed almost as flat as the looped bits. Unfortunately, the way they could tell that there used to be different textures was the dizzying pattern of mauve, puce, and light pink that wove its way across the floor.
 
And the pink didn’t end on the floor. The large bouquets of pink, lavender, and mauve flowers that adorned the once white, but now yellowed, background of the draperies matched the carpet nicely, as did the pink bedspread. One wall was a lovely, contrasting teal, which matched the two vinyl-covered, utilitarian armchairs in the room. The other walls were covered with wallpaper with an outer-space motif. There were little spacemen in brightly colored spacesuits milling about on the walls. While some took photographs, others were presumably looking at a map of the universe as they stood outside their nice, pink spaceship on what might’ve been the surface of the moon or perhaps Mars.

 

At the back of the room, the door to the bathroom stood open. The pink and teal color-scheme was repeated in there, with some nice ebony added in for kicks. Shiny, Pepto-Bismol-colored ceramic tiles lined the walls of the bath. Every couple of feet, there was a diamond made of several smaller teal tiles interspersed in the field of nauseating pink. The whole effect was trimmed with lovely, black, bull-nosed tiles. It was a striking effect – very postmodern … for 1950.
 
The television in the room had, thankfully, been updated, possibly as recently as 1980, and was, indeed, color. Spike half-expected to see a rotary-dial phone, but that had also been updated to a large, office-type push-button – thoughtfully also pink. The room was, as advertised, also air conditioned. There was a small, window-type air conditioner sticking out of the wall next to the door. Xander clicked it on as he stepped in, since it was about a hundred and ten inside the room. It clattered loudly, protesting the intrusion into what should’ve been its golden, retirement years, but finally whirled to life and began blowing a stale stream of barely-cool air from its vents.

“Very posh,” Spike asserted as he walked in and looked around.
 
“You really know how to woo a guy,” Xander muttered as he followed.
 
Spike had started to move the plethora of take-out menus, tourist-trap advertisements, and a bible off the small, faux-woodgrain Formica dining table in the room. At that comment, he had to stop and turn around to look at his traveling companion. Was Xander actually loosening up? That wouldn’t do. Oh no, that wouldn’t do at all.
 
With a flirty smirk on his face, Spike produced a handful of quarters from his pocket and tossed them onto the ragged, cotton-candy-pink bedspread.  “Never let it be said ole Spike don’t show ‘is date a good time. I’ll spring for the Magic Fingers … getcha in the mood, luv,” he offered, waving a hand at the head of the bed and the little machine there. The well-worn, peeling label next to the slot for the quarters promised to ‘quickly carry you into the land of tingling relaxation and ease.’

 

For the first time Xander realized that there was only one bed in the room. “Wha … Why … Where’s the other bed?” he finally stammered out.
 
“It’s a bloody king, how much bed ya need, dough-boy?” Spike wondered as he turned back to his task of clearing the table.
 
Xander’s mouth moved but little more than gasps of indignation came out. “I’m not sharing a bed with you!” he finally asserted.
 
Spike shrugged. “Suit yourself, reckon you can ‘ave the floor, but ya don’t know what you’re missing. Magic fingers,” he asserted, holding up a hand and wriggling his fingers.
 
“Spike! I’m serious!” Xander protested as he sat one backpack down on the bed and laid the other one on the table. “Why didn’t you get a double?”

 

“Didn’ ‘ave any honeymoon suites back ‘ere away from the road with doubles, nimrod.”
 
“You are in need of some serious drugs if you think I’m sleeping in the same bed with you,” Xander continued to object.
 
“Right, then,” Spike agreed as he pulled a laptop out of the pack Xander had put on the table. “But I sprang for the vibrator – you’ll ‘ave t’ get the drugs. What say we go for some Mauwie Wauwie t’ start? Get yourself some o’ those little blue pills too, reckon you’ll need ‘em t’ keep up.”
 
“How does she do it?” Xander asked in utter disbelief. “Buffy must be a saint – that’s the only explanation. Saint Buffy, patron saint of insane vampires.”
 
Spike snickered as he booted the computer up and sat down in front of it in one of the uncomfortable, teal chairs. To his utter amazement, it did actually find a wi-fi signal.
 
“Right, then,” he said more to himself than Xander. “Dawn Summers,” Spike spoke aloud as he typed the name in the search box on the Google page and clicked the little magnifying glass.

 

Spike sat forward in the chair as results came up on the screen. Even Xander quit seething quite so much and walked up behind him to look.
 
“Dawn Summers, Linkedin,” Spike read as he clicked on it. “San Francisco Bay area. Instructor at Downward Dog Yoga Institute.
 
“’Ow’s your downward dog, Harris?” Spike asked with a smirk as he clicked the back button. It wasn’t the Dawn they were looking for.
 
“Bite me,” Xander growled at him.
 
“Now you’re gettin’ in the spirit! Thought you’d never ask,” Spike continued to taunt as he clicked on the next Dawn Summers in the list.
 
“Dawn Summers,” Spike continued reading the next result. “Writing and editing professional, London. Educated London College of Fashion.
 
“That could be ‘er,” Spike suggested.
 
“Yeah … maybe,” Xander agreed. “Bookmark that one and keep looking.”
 
Spike did and kept going down the list. “Look ‘ere: ‘Celtic Whispers’ by Dawn Summers. It’s a book. Reckon she wrote a book?” Spike wondered aloud.
 
He began reading the description of the book, “'When Sheri Malone agrees to look after her aunt’s guesthouse, Ballyheights, in Ireland, she was not expecting the team of archaeologists waiting for her on her arrival. Neither would she have imagined herself falling for their handsome leader, Professor Liam Brennan...'”
 
“Hey! Liam! Isn’t that Angel’s name?” Xander asked. “And isn’t he from Ireland?”
 
Spike scowled. “Yeah, he’s a bloody Fenian a’right.”
 
“You don’t think she ... That can’t be her, right?” Xander asked hopefully. “I mean … did she like Angel? Please tell me she didn’t like Dead Boy,” Xander begged.

 

Spike frowned. “Probably just a coincidence. Liam’s a right common name, I reckon,” Spike offered hopefully. “Probably not even ‘er, yeah?”
 
“Probably not… definitely not. Can’t be her …” Xander agreed. “Keep looking.”
 
“Right.”
 
**~**
 
The men looked through blogs, Facebook pages, LinkedIn contacts, and lots of other types of websites that were by, or about, Dawn Summers for a good while. After an hour, they didn’t seem any closer to finding the Dawn Summers they were looking for, however.
 
“There’s just too many of them,” Xander sighed, sitting back in his chair and rubbing his tired eyes.
 
Spike sat back too and took his hands away from the computer, dropping them into his lap. He continued to frown at the list of women named Dawn Summers that mocked him from the computer screen. “Couldn’t a’ been named Esmeralda,” he groused in agreement with Xander’s assessment.
 
Suddenly, Xander sat up and slid the laptop away from Spike and over in front of him. “Ok, too many Dawn Summerses,” he began in explanation as he typed. “I wonder how many Rupert Edmond Gileses there are in the world? If we can find Giles, he’d have ta know where Dawn is, right?”
 
Spike sat forward and leaned over so he could see the screen as Xander hit ‘search’ on the Google page. Within a few seconds a very short list of Rupert Edmond Gileses came up. Xander pumped his fist and cried, “Yes!” in victory.
 
“Who’s the man?!” he asked rhetorically, giving Spike a haughty look.

 

“My ‘ero,” Spike’s voice fluttered, high and full of mock adoration. He clasped his hands under his chin, scrunched his shoulders up slightly, and raised his eyes to the ceiling like a helpless girl from a silent movie.
 
Xander rolled his eyes and shook his head. He grabbed a pen and a pad of paper from the stack of things Spike had moved off the table, began scribbling down some numbers, and reached for the phone.
 
“Now, I just have to hope that I’m still alive in this world,” he muttered to himself as he waited for a dial tone. A pained expression washed over his face. “That’s really kind of a creepy thought.”
 
“Yes?” came an old man’s voice through the phone, making Xander jump.
 
“Uhhhh …” Xander stuttered. “I was trying to make a call.”
 
“What is the number please? I’ll connect you,” the old man said.
 
Xander furrowed his brow but read off the international number to the man.
 
After a moment of silent confusion, the man said, “That’s too many numbers.”
 
“No – it’s international. It’s in England,” Xander explained.
 
“England!?” the man exclaimed, as if he’d never heard of such a place. “I don’t think … uhhh … local calls only,” he stammered back to Xander.
 
Xander sighed and hung up. “We need to get a cell phone,” he told Spike in exasperation.
 
Spike nodded, stood up, and picked up the keys to the truck and the room. “Right. Need some other supplies too, some groceries and whatnot … and better find a butcher shop.”
 
Spike started moving towards the door, but stopped and looked back over his shoulder at Xander, who had stood up and started to follow him. “Unless you’re donatin’?” He gave Xander’s neck a hungry, lustful leer for good measure.

 

Xander barked out a harsh laugh. “In your dreams, bleach boy.”
 
Spike shrugged, turned around, and started walking again. “Dunno what you’re missin’, you don’t. I’d make it good for ya.”
 
“Just keep walking,” Xander growled at Spike’s back. “I like all my bodily fluids right where they are – inside my own body.”
 
Spike yanked hard on the doorknob to get the ill-used, aged door to open, and he stepped aside to let Xander exit in front of him. “Not what I ‘ere from demon-girl,” Spike informed Xander as he passed. “Says you’re big on the sharing of all sorts a’ fluids, she does.”
 
A slight blush rose up Xander’s neck and tinged his cheeks as he stepped out into the late-afternoon sun. “That’s not what I was … we were talking about blood! How can you take everything I say and turn it around? Just ‘cos I came with you instead of Buffy doesn’t mean I’m taking over any of her other … responsibilities,” Xander snarled at Spike.
 
Spike laughed as he pulled the door closed and locked it. “Suit yerself. Still say ya don’t know what you’re missin’.”
 
“Yeah? Well, you can just forget it. I’m not sharing any of my fluids with you,” Xander retorted as he headed for the driver’s door of the pickup truck.
 
“Gotta say, that really hurts,” Spike moaned as if devastated, laying his hand over his heart. Spike went to the passenger’s side of the truck and opened the door with the key, which also unlocked the driver’s door. Before Xander could even get the driver’s door open, Spike had gotten in, slid all the way over, and was sitting behind the wheel.
 
Xander stood gape-mouthed looking at Spike, his hand still on the handle of the open driver’s door. “What the hell?” he finally choked out in disbelief. Composing himself, he demanded, “Move over! It’s my turn to drive.”
 
Spike smirked, shoved the key in the ignition, and cranked the engine. “Reckon not. You don’t wanna share your toys, can’t expect others t’ share theirs.”
 
“Insufferable,” Xander groaned as he slammed the door shut, hoping one of Spike’s ‘magic’ fingers would be caught in it, and stormed over to the other side of the truck.
 
**~**
 
It was almost three hours later when they got back to the room. They now both had disposable cell phones with plenty of minutes loaded on them. In addition, there was a cooler full of pig’s blood, cold cuts, Cokes, beer, and ice, and a box of other necessities like Twinkies, Sweet Sixteen powdered donuts, Ding-Dongs, a giant bag of Lays Potato Chips, and a loaf of Wonderbread.  
 
Xander began to dial the number for Rupert Edmund Giles in London.
 
“Wait,” Spike said, reaching a hand out to stop him. “Dial star sixty-seven first,” he advised Xander.
 
Xander cleared what he’d done and started over. “What does that do?” he asked as he continued punching in numbers.
 
“Hides yer number from the caller ID. Don’t want ‘im seeing you’ve got a California area code. Don’t know where you’re supposed t’ be in this world,” Spike explained.
 
Xander nodded as the phone began to ring. He could almost hear the expensive international minutes start clicking off the phone when it was answered on the other end. “Yes, hello. Rupert Giles, please,” Xander replied to the stiff-sounding woman that answered.
 
For once, Spike was keeping quiet and just listening as Xander waited. For a few moments, the only sound that could be heard was the strained whirl of the over-worked air conditioner as it continued to dutifully blow lukewarm air into the room, which was only a slight improvement over the still-warm air outside.
 
“This is Rupert Giles,” came across the line, jarring Xander’s mind away from thoughts centered on trying to remember why he’d volunteered for this mission with Spike, who was obviously off his meds.
 
“Hey, Giles!” Xander replied, trying to sound casual. “It’s Xander. I was wondering … I, uhhh … lost my phone and all my numbers were on it. Could you give me Dawn’s number?”
 
“Xander?” Giles questioned from across the pond, sounding a bit dubious. “You say you’ve lost your phone?”
 
“Yeah,” Xander agreed. “Just got a new one and I’m trying to…”
 
“Honestly!” Giles exclaimed into the phone. “I don’t know what kind of fool you believe me to be!”
 
Xander faltered, unsure what to say for a moment. “Giles … I …”
 
“Please, let’s do stop pretending, shall we? I’m not as far out of the loop as you may imagine. Just because Dawn’s in Rome and I’m in London doesn’t mean I don’t know what’s been happening. I’m well aware of the circumstances of your breakup with Dawn. I’m quite certain that if she wanted you to have her new number, she’d ring you herself. Now, I have work that I need to attend to, as I’m certain you do. Good day.”
 
Xander pulled the phone away from his ear and looked at it with an expression of shock.
 
“You and Dawn?” Spike croaked incredulously, having heard the conversation easily with his vampire senses.

 

Xander lifted wide eyes up to Spike’s and shook his head. “Isn’t she like … my niece?”
 
“Well … yeah! Bloody hell, Harris! What were ya thinkin’? Takin’ advantage of a bloody orphan like that!
 
“Turn m’ back for one bleedin’ decade an’ look what ‘appens! Thought the girl ‘ad more sense than t’ get mixed up with the likes of a wanker like you,” Spike snapped at him, standing up from where he’d been sitting on the end of the bed.
 
Suddenly Xander shook himself out of the shock. “Hey! I didn’t do it! I can’t be responsible for every Xander in every dimension! I can’t help it if they aren’t all as honorable and … loyal and … trustworthy as me!”
 
“Oh, a right Boy Scout you are!” Spike scoffed as he began pacing in the small, pink room. “You and Dawn?! Bloody hell,” he moaned again, shaking his head. “What the bloody hell was she thinkin’?”

 

Despite being freaked out, since he equated Dawn with Annie, Xander started to feel insulted. “Hey! She could do worse, ya know!” he defended, standing up himself. “I’m a pretty darn good catch – just ask Anya!”
 
Then he thought about Annie and quailed a bit. “Just how much younger is she?” he asked Spike, looking a bit concerned. “I mean … are we talking ‘jailbait’ here or …?”
 
Spike stopped pacing and ran a hand through his hair as he tried to pull out the old memories of Dawn. She was older than Annie, of course. He did some quick calculations in his mind and finally sighed. “Reckon she’s … ‘bout twenty-four or twenty-five,” he told Xander at last.
 
Xander frowned. “I’m only thirty… that’s only five years. So … I was dating my best friend’s … sister – not her daughter. That’s not like Annie at all,” he reasoned quickly. “What the fuck’s your problem, Spike?” he demanded angrily as that realization hit him.
 
Spike sighed and dropped into one of the uncomfortable, teal chairs, shaking his head. “Reckon she’ll always be Buffy’s brat little sister. Always be fourteen. Always be sneaking over t’ m’ crypt for a Spike ghost story or whatnot. Said I was the only one that ever took her serious – ever treated ‘er like a person.”
 
Xander stared at him blankly, taking this in. “You’re jealous!” he accused after a few moments, pointing a finger down at Spike.

 

“I am not!” Spike retorted, jumping back up. “Jealous o’ a pratt like you!? P-lease!”
 
Xander began to laugh. “That’s exactly what you are: jealous! She liked me better than you!
 
“Na, na, na, na na,na,” he sing-songed, grinning triumphantly at Spike, “Spii-ke’s jealous!”
 
“I’m soddin’ dead, you berk! O’ course she’d like you better ‘an a big pile o’ dust!”
 
Xander laughed harder as Spike continued to deny any jealousy. Finally, Xander had collapsed onto the bed, unable to stand up any longer, as Spike growled and snarled his contention that there was nothing for him to be jealous of.
 
Finally, Spike gave up and got a beer out of the cooler. He twisted the top off and threw the little metal disk at Xander, who was still on the bed laughing. Spike sank down in the chair and took a long drink, glowering at his traveling companion. Jealous my soddin’ arse.
 
Xander’s mirth finally waned, and he got up and grabbed a beer from the cooler, as well. Dropping down into the chair next to Spike, who was on his second beer, he said, “Ya know, it sounds like she’s not gonna talk to me, even if we do get her phone number or find her.”
 
“Yeah, sussed that out all on m’ own,” Spike confirmed, studying the water droplets that were forming and running down the side of the beer bottle in his hand.
 
“Sooo…” Xander continued. “You better figure out what it was she liked about you, whip it out, and polish it up. You’re gonna have to get her to listen.”
 
Spike leveled a steady gaze at Xander but didn’t say anything.
 
“What? Nothing?” Xander asked after a few moments, taken aback. “I left that there for you like a gift at Christmas and nothing? Not one lewd remark? C’mon, Spike! You’re slipping!”
 
“Too bloody easy. I may be cheap, but I ain’t easy,” Spike retorted dryly.
 
Xander smiled a bit, shrugged, and took another drink. “Soooo … whatever vampire charms you used …”
 
“Don’t need t’ bring anythin’ out and polish it up, do I? Just gotta be me, is all,” Spike interrupted him sharply.
 
Xander laughed scornfully. “What is it about Summers women and insane vampires?”
 
“Got bloody good taste, they do,” Spike contended as he pulled the computer back over to him and scooted his chair up nearer.
 
“Whatcha doin’ now?” Xander wondered, leaning forward to see.
 
“Well, got another clue, don’t we? Rome … reckon I’ll look again,” Spike explained and Xander nodded.
 
**~**
 
After looking for another hour or so, they still hadn’t found the right Dawn Summers – not one they could be sure of, anyway. By now it was getting late; they’d both had some dinner and a few beers and decided to start again in the morning. Perhaps some inspiration would hit them overnight.
 
While Spike was getting his shower, Xander took the bedspread off the bed, rolled it up, and laid it down the center of the mattress, making a long, soft barrier between the two sides.
 
Spike emerged from the bathroom still wiping water from his hair, shoulders, and chest. Another towel was wrapped around his waist. Xander was laying on the right side of the bed watching the ‘color TV’. Unfortunately, it was so old and worn out that the main colors on it were red and green – sometimes a bit of yellow would sneak in on the corners.
 
When he saw Spike in nothing but a towel he nearly choked. “Oh no!” he exclaimed, wide eyes. “You’re not wearing that to bed!”

 

Spike grinned at him and dropped a hand as if to pull the towel around his waist off. “Whatever you say, pet,” he teased. “Got the quarters ready, then, do ya?”
 
“Spike! I’m warning you! I’ll dust you – Gem or no, I will find a way to dust you,” Xander yelled at him, standing up. He was dressed in a pair of pull-on shorts and a t-shirt.
 
Spike shrugged and left the towel around his waist as he draped the other one around his neck. Water still dripped from his curls and landed on the towel now over his shoulders. His hair was so thick it usually took two towels to get it to stop dripping, and Xander had only left him two dry towels, one of which he’d used for the rest of him. It took forever to get all the water out of his hair with the ‘drip dry’ method, but that was the only other choice.
 
“Yer on the wrong side o’ the bed,” Spike informed him, changing the subject.
 
Xander looked at the bed and back at Spike. “No – I sleep on the right,” he informed the vamp.
 
“Not t’night,” Spike retorted.
 
Every night,” Xander insisted.
 
“Right then, didn’t think ya wanted t’ share … but, if you insist. Dibs on being on top,” Spike announced smirking, waving a hand at Xander and inviting him to lie back down.
 
Xander snorted out a derisive laugh. “Like hell! That’s your side,” he replied, pointing to the left side of the bed. “It’s not my fault you didn’t get a double like any sane person would’ve!”
 
Spike pursed his lips and started moving to the left side of the bed, once again reaching a hand down to remove the towel from around his waist.
 
“Oh no! You put something on first!” Xander insisted again.
 
Spike stopped and smirked at him. “You expect me t’ sleep in m’ clothes and on the wrong side o’ the soddin’ bed? Bollocks! Ya get one or t’ other – you pick.”
 
When Xander just stood there, lost in utter consternation, Spike shrugged, pulled the towel off, dropped it on the floor, and started to climb into the bed.
 
“Wait! Fine! Have the right … b-but… Put. Something. On,” Xander growled at him, picking up the pillow he’d been using and backing up away from the bed.

 

Spike smirked, got back up, picked the towel up, and held it up in front of his groin. He tossed the pillow from the left to the right side of the bed, then headed for his backpack, which was sitting on the dresser. He pulled out a pair of light-weight PJ bottoms, which Buffy had insisted he pack, turned his back on Xander, dropped the towel again, and pulled them on.

 

“You giant ass,” Xander hissed at him. “You were gonna put those on all along,” he accused.
 
Spike turned around and smirked at Xander. He walked past him, heading towards the right side of the bed, and gave the younger man a wink as he passed. Xander’s face turned pink with frustration as he realized he’d let Spike dupe him out of the right side.
 
Spike propped the pillow against the headboard and climbed into the bed. Sitting up in the bed and leaning back against the pillow, he reached for the remote control that was lying on the bed.
 
“Don’t you dare!” Xander growled at him, stomping over to the other side of the bed, still clutching his pillow. “I was watching that!”
 
Spike looked at the TV, tilting his head slightly to try and actually make out what was on the screen. The limited color selection was making it difficult to suss out. The speakers, however, were working well enough, “Pos-T-Vac is pleased to offer you and your partner a safe, effective, and affordable treatment for a frustrating problem. A solution in seconds not hours! Don’t let ED slow you down! Pos-T-Vac is a safe and 100% natural solution that works even when drug therapies have failed …”
 
Spike looked at Xander, cocking a brow at him. Xander had just gotten back in bed and covered up with the sheet. He hadn’t really been paying attention to the TV. “What?” he asked when he saw Spike’s expression.
 
Spike looked back at the TV. “Now I understand. Ya know, it’s nothing t’ be ashamed of; happens t’ the best o’ us. ‘Course, ain’t ever happened to me, but … I hear tell…”
 
“What are you talking about?” Xander asked, finally focusing on the TV again.
 
“The Pos-T-Vac system really works, and fast, I mean, within minutes!” the green man on the screen was saying.
 
“So we can be spontaneous again. We can relax because we know Pos-T-Vac’s gonna work whenever we’re in the mood! It makes life exciting again!” a woman’s voice came through the scratchy speakers.
 
“T-that’s not what I was watching!” Xander blubbered out. “It was John Wayne! ‘The Alamo!’” he insisted as he quickly changed the channel.

 

“Nothing ‘t be embarrassed about. Won’t tell a bloody soul ‘bout your little problem. No worries,” Spike assured him in a tone that was far from reassuring.
 
“I don’t have a problem!” Xander insisted as he flipped the channels looking for the movie. “The time must’ve changed – the movie must’ve ended and that crap came on after it,” he surmised, pointing at the clock.
 
“Right. Got it,” Spike nodded, giving Xander a ‘your secret’s safe with me’ look.
 
“I’m telling ya,” Xander continued to object, but then just sighed and clicked the TV off. “Whatever,” he muttered as he slid down in the bed, fluffed his pillow savagely, and turned on his side, facing away from Spike. Baker Beach was starting to sound like a really good time compared to traveling with Captain Peroxide.
 
**~**
 
“Ya ready for the Magic Fingers, then?” Spike asked Xander the next morning.
 
“Hmmm…” Xander replied in a sleepy voice, cuddling closer to the cool pillow he was hugging. It seemed like the only cool thing in the whole room. The air conditioner was still running and making lots of noise, but the effort it was expending was not equal to the cool air it was generating by a long shot.
 
“Woulda stayed starkers if I’d a’ known,” Spike continued speaking in a low, slow drawl.
 
“Hot in here,” Xander complained groggily as he pressed his cheek against the smooth, cool pillow.
 
“Getting’ that way, yeah,” Spike agreed as he tried to pry Xander’s arm away from his waist.
 
“C’mon, Ahn … we can afford it … just turn it down a couple of degrees,” Xander continued sleepily, never opening his eyes.

"Role-playing, is it?” Spike questioned, wriggling back against Xander, who was spooning against Spike's back.

"Too hot, Ahn ..." Xander objected when Spike's ass pressed against the younger man's crotch. "Turn the air down first..." he continued to mutter in half-sleep.

Spike smirked as he wriggled around and finally got turned in Xander's embrace so he was facing Xander, who was fully on Spike’s side of the thick, pink demarcation line down the center of the bed. “Right then, you be the Slayer and I’ll be demon-girl. What do ya reckon she’d do first?
 
“Don’t see ‘er as one for whispering sweet nothings. Reckon she’d get right to it, then, eh?” Spike continued, his face only a couple of inches away from Xander’s. "So, what'll it be, luv? Hand job? Blow job? A bit o' the rough and tumble? Didn't bring any lube, did you?"
 
"Mmmm ... you know I love your blow jobs, baby," Xander moaned, cuddling closer to Spike.

"Do ya, now? Were you at Woodstock, then? Don't reckon I remember everything that happened there. Three blurry days o' sex and drugs. Good bloody time that was."

Xander finally blinked his eyes open. For a moment he stared blankly and uncomprehending at Spike. Then he screamed and flailed backwards, flopping across the bed and onto the floor like a fish trying to escape a fisherman.
 
“What the hell!?” Xander managed, finally jumping back up to his feet.
 
Spike shrugged. “You suggested role-playing. Was just pondering what your lovely wife would do first. You suggested a blow job,” Spike explained, smirking.
 
“I … what?!? I’m very sure I didn’t … what were you doing over the line?” Xander demanded.
 
Spike waved his hand at the open bed between himself and where Xander now stood. He was, in fact, just barely on the edge of his side of the bed, well away from the pink, fluffy demilitarized zone. “You came t’ me,” Spike explained easily.
 
“I … that’s … ridiculous! I was just …” Xander stammered, unable to controvert what Spike was showing him. “It’s only because you were on my side! I was just trying to get back to my side of the bed!”
 
“Whatever you say, big boy,” Spike taunted him. “Reckon ya don’t have that little problem all the time, then, eh?” he asked, lowering his eyes to Xander’s bulging shorts.
 
Xander looked down in shock. Embarrassment crept up his neck and flushed his face with even more heat as he realized what Spike was looking at. He quickly grabbed the pillow off the bed and held it in front of his crotch. “It’s just morning,” he explained quickly as he turned around and headed for the bathroom. “It has absolutely nothing to do with you!” he called over his shoulder as he slammed the bathroom door behind him.
 
Spike flopped over onto his back and laughed. This mission was turning out to be more fun than he’d thought. He wondered how long it would take Xander to catch on and figure out if he just went along with Spike’s ‘advances’ and called his bluff, that it would completely ruin Spike’s fun.
 
**~**
 
“And what did you say your name was?” Giles’ voice came through Spike’s cell phone an hour or so later. Spike had, indeed, gotten an idea overnight.
 
“Rodney. Call me Big Rod, all m’ mates do,” Spike replied, thickening his accent to a very strong Cockney. “Sure she’ll remember. I know I won’t be fergettin’ ‘er name anytime soon. Them long legs o’ hers reach all the way t’ heaven, they do.”
 
“Indeed. And, errrr… Rodney … how did you say you got this number?” Giles asked with confusion and more than a little unease.
 
“Rocked t’ bird’s world so ‘ard las’ night tha’ this mornin’ she fergot ‘er bag ‘ere at m’ flat.
 
“‘In case of emergency contact Rupert Giles,’” Spike said, as if reading off a card. “Tha’s you, innit?”
 
“Well, yes …”
 
“Right then. Jus’ tell ‘er I got ‘er bag and these black lace knickers she ‘ad on. Reckon she’ll want ‘em back – fancy they are. Only a bit torn – reckon they can be mended. Musta paid twenty quid for ‘em. Highway robbery, if ya ask me. Ain’t enough lace ‘ere t’ cover…”
 
“Indeed,” Giles interrupted him. “Rodney … errr … perhaps it would be best if you took this up directly with Dawn.”
 
“Wha’ever you think’s best, Rupes,” Spike replied casually, picking up a pen.
 
**~**
 
Spike hung up with a victorious smirk, Dawn’s phone number in hand.

 

“Big Rod? Seriously?” Xander asked disdainfully.
 
“All part o’ the psychology, mate,” Spike explained. “Dawn’s like ‘is daughter. Trust me, no father wants t’ think about ‘is daughter datin’ someone named Rodney ... and definitely no wanker goin' by 'Big Rod'. Rodney’s a bloody ruffian tha’ plays prop in rugby, gets in pub brawls, an’ has a different bird every night o’ the week.”
 
Xander raised his brows. “Wow – wish I’d known that before! I would’ve changed my name to Rodney in high school.”
 
“’Course, there’s exceptions to every rule,” Spike maintained. “You an’ Rodney Dangerfield come ‘t mind.”
 
**~**
 
“Hello?” a female voice came through the phone a few minutes later.
 
“Uhhh … Dawn?” Spike asked, not sure if it was her or not. It had been ten years and the memories were more like wispy dreams than solid recollections.
 
“Yeah. Who’s this?” she asked.
 
Spike took a deep, calming breath before he spoke again. “Dawn, this is gonna sound a bit buggered, but don’t hang up, just ‘ear me out, ok?” Spike began.
 
“Oookay,” Dawn dragged the word over her tongue slowly. “Who is this?” she asked again.
 
“It’s Spike.”
 
There was a long pause on the line before Dawn asked, “Spike who?”
 
“How many bloody Spikes d’ ya know?!” he asked indignantly.


 
There was another moment of silence before Dawn’s voice came back on the line sounding confused and suspicious. “Spike … from Sunnydale?”
 
“Well, not originally, o’ course,” Spike replied. “But, yeah.”
 
“Spike?” she asked again in disbelief. “B-but …” she stammered before another pause. Then she demanded, “Who is this? You know, this really isn’t funny.”
 
“Dawn, I know what yer thinkin’, but it’s really Spike, from Sunnydale. I know I burnt up in the Hellmouth, but … I kinda got another chance, yeah? And … well, it’s a long story, I was hoping we could talk – in person.”
 
“Spike?” she asked again, her mind whirling between wanting to believe him and thinking that someone was playing a joke on her. A cruel, heartless joke.
 
Spike sighed. “What can I do t’ convince you it’s really me?” he asked.
 
Dawn went silent and Spike waited. After a minute he pulled the phone away to look at it, thinking the call dropped, but it hadn’t. “Niblett?” he prodded.
 
“I’m still here,” she replied. “Ok, if you’re Spike, then tell me about the family with the little girl in the coal bin. What did Spike do with the little girl in the coal bin?”
 
Spike closed his eyes and concentrated, trying to pull that memory out. He knew what family she was talking about, he’d killed them all, but something told him that wasn’t what she wanted to hear. That wouldn’t be much of a test, a vampire saying he’d killed people … then it hit him.

 

“Right, there was a family … wife invited me in. Had ‘er husband by the neck – had no choice,  did she? Killed the whole lot right quick, but there was someone missin’, yeah? Supposed t’ be a little girl. So … I get real quiet, and I hear this tiny noise coming from the coal bin. This little sigh. So I listened harder, it's very, very quiet... Knew the bit was in the coal bin, yeah? Go over to it all silent-like, lean down and put m’ hand on the top. I could nearabouts feel ‘er heartbeat through the metal o’ the bin.”
 
Spike paused for dramatic effect before continuing the story, just as he told it to her so many years ago in his crypt, with big sis listening to the last part. “So, I rip it open, very violent, haul her out of there ... and then I give her to a good family in a nice home, where they're never ever mean to her, and didn't lock her in the coal bin.”
 
The line went silent again for a few short moments. Spike held his breath and waited.
 
“Oh. My. God!” Dawn exclaimed at last. “Spike!? How!? Is Buffy with you? Where are you?”
 
Spike let out a relieved breath. “Buffy’s not ‘ere, but … yeah, she … same thing happened t’ her. I can take you to ‘er. That’s what I wanted t’ talk to you about. Can we … can you come t’ California or … I can come t’ you.”
 
“I’ll come there. Can you get to San Francisco?” Dawn asked excitedly.
 
“Yeah, no worries.”
 
“Great! Ok, meet me at the Peace Pagoda in Golden Gate Park … Oh no, that won’t work! Are you still a vampire?”
 
“Sun’s not a problem,” Spike assured her, not actually answering her question.
 
“Oh! Great! Ok, can you meet me there? I can be there in about … three hours,” Dawn told him.
 
Spike furrowed his brow. “Aren’t you in … Rome?”

 

“Actually, I’m in London right now. I was just heading back to Italy when you called.”
 
Spike’s brow furrowed further. “How are you gonna get to California in three hours, pet?”
 
Dawn took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Things have changed … I’ve changed. I’ll explain when I see you. Can you make it?”
 
“Uhhh … it’ll take me ‘bout six hours.”
 
“Ok, let’s say eight hours from now, then … will that work?” Dawn suggested.
 
“Yeah, brilliant. Eight hours, Peace Pagoda, Golden Gate Park. Got it.”
 
“Spike?”
 
“Yeah, pet?”
 
“I … I really missed you … you and Buffy. I don’t know how you’re back but … I’m so glad,” Dawn told him, her voice full of emotion.

 

“Sorry it took so long, pet.”
 
“It’s ok ... I’ll see you soon.”
 
“Yeah, brilliant.”
 
**~**
 
Spike and Xander packed their things quickly, checked out, and left the pink room that time forgot behind. Despite Xander’s objections that he should drive, Spike once again was behind the wheel of the borrowed pickup truck. He headed for Interstate 5. Although not as scenic, it was faster than taking US 1 along the coast.
 
They were to meet Dawn at six p.m. at the Peace Pagoda in Golden Gate Park. Spike wasn’t 100% sure where that was in the park. He knew the park was large, like Central Park large – hundreds of acres; he’d been there in the late sixties. In fact, it was from there that he’d hitched a cross-country ride with a friendly group of flower children in a VW bus. They’d ended up at Woodstock for ‘Three Days of Peace and Music’ … and some really wild acid trips.
 
Before they left the hotel, Xander had quickly downloaded and saved information about the park, including maps, onto the hard drive of their laptop. Xander been looking at these pages and making notes about what entrance to take into the park, while Spike drove.
 
Xander suddenly closed the lid of the laptop and rolled his window down. He leaned his head against the door and let the air wash in over his face.
 
“Sumthin’ the matter?” Spike asked, stealing a glance at Xander.
 
“Just … car sick,” Xander choked out, laying a hand over his stomach.
 
“Oh, bloody hell,” Spike moaned. “Don’t you dare barf in this bloody truck. Nothing I hate worse than the smell o’ barfed up ham sandwiches, beer, and powdered donuts.”
 
“Thank you for your concern,” Xander retorted, keeping his face in the breeze. “Someone should nominate you for the Florence Nightingale Medal.
 
“I told you I should drive. I don’t get sick if I’m driving,” Xander told Spike.
 
“Ohhhh … shit! You might wanna pull over,” Xander moaned, leaning his head further out the window and bringing a hand up to cover his mouth.
 
“Bugger,” Spike growled as he put his four-way flashers on and pulled off into the emergency lane.
 
Xander jumped out of the truck before it had even come to a complete stop and ran a few feet away. He ducked behind a bush just off the right-of-way and leaned on a nearby tree, bent over at the waist. After a few minutes, he came back, wiping at his mouth with the back of his hand.
 
“Ya know,” Xander said as he approached. “If you don’t want to make these pit stops every few minutes, you might want to just let me drive.”
 
Spike sighed and rolled his eyes. “You’re a bloody pain in the ass, Harris,” he told him harshly as he unbuckled his seatbelt and got out of the truck.
 
Xander smirked as he climbed behind the wheel, adjusted all the mirrors and buckled up. “Oh! Could you grab me a Coke out of the cooler?” Xander asked Spike just as the vamp was about to get in the truck.
 
Spike blew out a frustrated breath, but got a Coke out of the cooler in the bed of the truck. He handed it to Xander as he got in the passenger seat, then buckled up himself. Xander pulled back onto the highway and started fiddling with the radio, humming lightly as he drove. After finding a station he liked, he opened the Coke and took a long drink of the fizzy liquid.
 
“You seem t’ have gotten over being car sick awful quick like,” Spike observed, narrowing his eyes at Xander.
 
Xander shot Spike a triumphant look and took another long drink of his Coke. “Must just be the healing power of your aura, Spike. You have a completely different vibe there in the passenger seat … it really suits you. You might qualify for some kind of humanitarian medal, after all.”
 
“You pratt!” Spike snarled. “You weren’t sick at all!”
 
“I was too! Sick and tired of your driving!” Xander laughed in victory.

 

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Stuck in the Middle With You by Stealers Wheel  on YouTube  }}


Well, I don’t know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain’t right.
I’m so scared in case I'll fall off my chair,
And I’m wondering how I’ll get down the stairs.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Yes, I’m stuck in the middle with you,
And I’m wondering what it is I should do.
It’s so hard to keep this smile from my face,
Losing control, yeah, I’m all over the place.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Well, you started off with nothing,
And you’re proud that you’re a self-made man.
And your family comes a-callin',
Slap you on the back and say, “Please, please.”

Trying to make some sense of it all,
But I can see it makes no sense at all.
Is it cool to go to sleep on the floor?
Well, I don't think I can take anymore.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Well, you started out with nothing,
And you’re proud that you’re a self-made man.
And your family comes a-callin',
Slap you on the back and say, “Please, please.”

Yeah, I don’t know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain’t right,
I’m so scared in case I'll fall off my chair,
And I’m wondering how I’ll get down the stairs,
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Yes I’m, stuck in the middle with you,
Stuck in the middle with you,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
End Notes:
First of all, with the latest note from Pari and the chance that TSR might go down, I want to make sure everyone knows that even if that happens, you can find the Unexpected Universe on my website (www.Passion4Spike.com) and also on Elysian Fields.
**
Never experienced Magic Fingers? Then you haven't lived! http://www.retrothing.com/2007/06/magic_fingers_v.html

The book, 'Celtic Whispers', is a real book by an author named Dawn Summers: http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Whispers-ebook/dp/B005FRGK2K

Never seen that naked butt shot of Spike before? It's not a manip, it's from the Wrecked dailies, thus the poor quality, but still ... yum.

More of Spike and Xander's mission to come. What has happened to Dawn over the last ten years? What's changed? How can she get from the UK to California so quickly?
My Old Friend by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike and Xander meet Dawn. What’s happened in her life? What’s changed?
**
Poetic license: The Tea House in GGP actually closes at 6pm, they’ve agreed to extend their hours just for this story, though.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for her pictures of Golden Gate Park and for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
Sunday, September 4th, 2011, OrphanKey Dimension:



“We’re a little late,” Xander observed as the two men clambered over the steep Drum Bridge that led to the Japanese Tea Garden and the Peace Pagoda in Golden Gate Park.

“Five minutes is a ‘little late’! We’re so late the bloody rabbit done died,” Spike snarled angrily.

“Well, you set the meeting time! You should’ve made it later!” Xander huffed.

“Hadn’t planned on Grandpa Harris drivin’ up ‘ere when I told her what time to meet us, did I?”

“Hey – there’s nothing wrong with my driving,” Xander shot back. “It’s your navigating! If you hadn’t taken us on a scenic tour of Haight-Ashbury…”

“That wasn’t a scenic bloody tour! I was getting us around the soddin’ evening mass traffic comin’ out of that big, buggering church, you git,” Spike defended.

“By going five miles out of our way and then getting lost?”

“Not m’ fault things look different than when I was ‘ere before,” Spike barked.

“Oh, right … and when was that? Last year? No! Five years ago? Noooo! A half a century ago? Bingo!” Xander pointed out.

“Also not my fault you stole a bloody truck without a GPS in it!” Spike continued to defend.

“Oh right, being late is my fault because I stole the wrong truck! We could’ve taken a bus up here instead! We’d still be in L.A. right now. Admit it, Spike – you screwed up! We should’ve just waited for the traffic to clear and stayed with the directions that I copied down … but noooo,” Xander groaned.

“If you would’ve just driven like a bloody sane person and gone nine miles an hour over the speed limit…” Spike continued to grouse.

“Oh right! And have them pull us over and run my license and figure out I’m not me. That would’ve been soooo helpful,” Xander continued.

“The CHiPpie blokes won’t pull ya over for nine miles over the bloody limit! Not worth their time,” Spike contended as they approached the five-story tall Peace Pagoda, which had once graced the 1915 Japanese exhibit at the Panama-Pacific Exposition.



“What was that last ticket Buffy got?” Xander asked knowingly.

Spike rolled his eyes. “That was different – it was a bloody speed trap downtown. The soddin’ Sunnydale police figured out they’d better start earnin’ their keep ‘fore they all got sacked. Nine miles an hour on the bloody freeway is different than in town.”

“Do you have an answer for everything?” Xander wondered, rolling his eyes.

“Bloody right I do. Might as well face it, Harris: I’m always right, you’re always wrong.”

“Gee – it’s just like being married,” Xander observed. “Without the fringe benefits.”

“I offered ya my Magic Fingers last night. Plus, you were pretty cozy up against m’ backside this mornin’. Don’t whine t’ me about fringe benefits,” Spike gibed.

“Shut up,” Xander snarled as both men came to a stop in front of the pagoda and looked around. “If you tell a single living soul about that, I will stake you,” Xander warned.



“Well, where is she?” Xander asked, still searching the surrounding area.

“How the bloody hell do I know? Probably left when we didn’t show on time, thinking I was some nutter yankin’ ‘er chain,” Spike speculated.

“And here we go again – this is all my fault,” Xander groaned back, still looking around.

“Wow, if I had any doubt it was really you, that argument you’ve been having since you came across the bridge pretty much capped it. Some things never change,” Dawn said easily as she stepped from the other side of the Pagoda, her arms folded over her chest and a bemused smile on her lips.



“Dawn!” Spike exclaimed, rushing forward and pulling her into a hug. “Sorry we’re late, pet – Harris drives like a granny woman.”

“Yeah, I know,” Dawn agreed, laughing and dabbing at the corners of her eyes as Spike released her.

“God, Spike! Look at you! You look … fine! Perfect! And in the sun! I’ve never seen you in the sun!” Dawn gushed, her eyes shining with unshed tears, looking him up and down.

“Even got some freckles,” he teased. “Wanna see?” he asked waggling his brows up and down suggestively.

“You didn’t show me your freckles,” Xander objected from behind him in mock jealousy. “What am I now, chopped liver?”

“Only had t’ open your eyes last night, Harris,” Spike pointed out with a smirk, stepping back away from Dawn. “Xander, this is Dawn … Dawn – Xander … not your Xander, o’ course. He came with me to … watch my back. Thinkin’ I can lose him in the woods and leave ‘im here, if I can un-stick his sweaty body from my arse.”

Xander shot Spike a warning glare. Spike smirked at him.

“Yeah, I figured that out. No eye patch,” Dawn observed, missing or ignoring the posturing between the two and extending her right hand towards Xander.

Xander looked away from Spike and shook Dawn’s hand, giving her a warm smile. He hoped she didn’t hold anything his doppelganger did against him – he couldn’t control every Xander in every universe, after all.

“Oh, right – I’d nearly forgotten that bit,” Spike realized.

“Eye patch? I’m a … pirate? Sailing the seven seas, all roughish and … sexy like Captain Jack Sparrow?” Xander asked with interest.



Dawn laughed. “Not hardly – Caleb poked your eye out. You’re mostly just … angry and … aloof … and a bit … scary at times.”

“Oh,” Xander moaned, sorry he’d asked.  

“Sounds like a big improvement,” Spike teased. “Wanna trade?”



Dawn laughed again and turned her eyes back to look at Spike, and he took her in. She’d grown from the gangly girl he remembered, all long arms and legs, elbows and knees, into a lovely young woman. She had an air of ease about her and confidence now that she’d lacked before. Her hair was still long and dark with some lighter highlights around her face. She wore make-up, but it was so understated that it would’ve been hard to tell from any distance. Her eyes were the color of a stormy sea and seemed to sparkle from within, although Spike could also see a guarded wariness to them, just below the surface.

“Sooo,” Dawn said when no one spoke. “You gonna tell me how the hell you got out of the Hellmouth and where you’ve been?”

“I’ll show ya mine, if you’ll show me yours,” Spike suggested in a roughish tone. “How the bloody hell did you get ‘ere in three hours, pet?”

“Would you believe on the back of my pet dragon?” Dawn asked in a serious tone.

“Uhhh … no,” Spike replied, narrowing his eyes at her.

Dawn shrugged. “Yeah, me either … but it’s sort of true,” she sighed. “There’s a tea house over here – you can buy me some sushi.”

Xander wrinkled up his nose and Spike looked at her like she might still be joking. “You eat … sushi?” he asked not wanting to offend if she actually did.

Dawn laughed. “I told you, I’ve changed,” she reminded him. “C’mon – they have ice cream and cookies too … and tea sandwiches,” she said, looking at Xander, who brightened considerably. Then she looked at Spike. “Oh … but … I don’t know what you eat. They don’t have any spicy wings or onions. Do you eat anything else?”

“Blood and beer,” Xander murmured under his breath.

Dawn raised her brows. Spike rolled his eyes. “I’ll just have some tea. Do ya think they have a proper cuppa Earl Grey?”

Dawn laughed again and shook her head. “It’s a Japanese tea house, not an English tea room. I’ll order for you,” she offered as she led the way to the restaurant.



Spike, with a few interjections from Xander, spent a good amount of time explaining to Dawn how her Spike and Buffy died closing the Hellmouth and how the PTB had rewarded them by merging their souls and memories into their counterparts in the other dimension, the Unexpected Dimension. He and Xander told her about their families and their friends, about Tara and Willow and Eddie, and finally, Spike told her why he was here.

“The Niblett’s like you, Dawn. She’s the Key in our world and … well … she’s feeling a bit alone, I reckon,” Spike explained. “Kinda like she’s the only one of ‘er kind that ever was.”

Dawn smiled sadly. “Of course, I’d love to come and meet her and … well, at least she’ll know she’s not the only one.

“It’s so weird – I was always ‘the Niblett’ … it’s just strange to not be that anymore. I missed hearing you say it … I missed … a lot of things,” she finished. She’d admonished herself before she left to not get all mushy, but she found those old feelings of loneliness and sadness creeping in as Spike spoke.

“I’m sorry we left you, pet,” Spike offered sincerely. “Buffy wanted t’ try and get back … we both did, but … we were told we couldn’t and … that you’d be alright. The git messenger the PTB sent said Buffy’s friends would take care o’ you.”

Dawn nodded and took a sip of her tea. Her cup trembled and clattered slightly against the saucer when she set it back down. “They did … everyone was … really great. I stayed with Giles in London and went to school there. I graduated from Oxford, and … helped rebuild the Council. Probably, if I hadn’t been there I never would’ve met Gertie and Shiro and learned … how to tame my pet dragon.”

Spike and Xander both looked at her, waiting for her to explain that statement.

Dawn laughed a bit at their anxious and confused faces, and pulled an amulet out from under her shirt. The amulet was large, almost the size of her palm, and three dimensional. There were six points to it that were made of sharp, triangular, golden pyramids. Those surrounded a lilac-colored, round, flat crystal in the center. Across the face of the flat crystal were six more slender, geometric, amethyst crystals, each matching, and lined up with, a point of the star. The crystals faced inward, toward the center, while the golden points faced out. The base of each amethyst crystal was wrapped several times in what looked like bright copper wire, and they were all connected to each other with more wire, this time in silver. In the very center of the amulet, where the points of the six crystals met, there was a large, square gem that looked like a diamond, but may have been quartz.



“Meet my travel agent,” Dawn said as she straightened the complex, six-pointed, crystal amulet on her chest. “It helps me focus my energy so I can open doors from one place on the earth to another using the Dragon Spines,” she explained.

She was met with more blank stares.

“Ummm … Ley Lines? Tectonic plates? Geomancy?” she tried.

Nothing.



“Ok, well, there are places around the world that hold magical power, that have intrinsic, natural energy. Places like Hellmouths, some churches, Stonehenge, Ayers Rock, the Great Pyramid in Giza, Easter Island, Mutiny Bay, Airport Mesa and Bell Rock in Arizona, Point Conception … and even places like right here in San Francisco where so many fault lines converge,” she explained.

"These places are all connected through the earth with Ley Lines ... the Chinese call them Dragon Spines. I can use my Key energy, balance it with the six points of this star, connect my energy to the earth through the amulet, which has a Metatron's Cube etched into the back of it, and focus it with the crystal in the center.” As she spoke, Dawn turned the amulet over to reveal the etching on the back of it and showed it to Spike and Xander.



The two men looked at it with interest, nodding and ‘uh-huh’ing thoughtfully.

“So…” Dawn stopped and sighed when she saw the looks on the two men’s faces. “You don’t have the slightest idea what I’m talking about, do you?”

Spike and Xander looked at each other, both started to protest that, of course they knew what she was talking about, but finally just shook their heads in defeat.

“I’ve heard of Stonehenge, though,” Xander offered. “That’s in England, right? Big rocks piled around in a circle.”

“You’re bloody brilliant,” Spike groaned. “Never know he didn’t attend a day o’ university, would ya?” he asked Dawn with an eye roll.

Dawn smiled and shook her head. “It’s ok, I’m used to people looking at me like I’m Shirley Maclaine,” she admitted.

“Ok, here’s the dumbed-down version,” she continued, and both Xander and Spike looked slightly offended, but also relieved.

“See the pretty necklace?” she asked, sounding as if she were talking to three-year-olds. She held the amulet up and let it swing back and forth from its heavy chain in front of them, like she was trying to hypnotize them.

“We aren’t that thick,” Spike objected.

Dawn smiled and nodded as she dropped the amulet back against her chest. “Just kidding.” She took a deep breath and continued in a serious tone, “I learned how to use the Key energy in me to create doors between these mystical places around the world. I use the amulet to help me focus my energy so I can use these doors to move from place to place.



“It took me a long time and a lot of practice with Eastern meditation to learn how to focus it. At first I had to use blood applied to the amulet, but now I can just do it by concentrating on bending the energy within me to my will. So now I can travel the Dragon Spines of the earth between these hot-spots. Like … today, I left from Stonehenge and came out about twenty miles south of here at Moss Beach. Of course, I didn’t have a car, so I had to take a cab up here,” Dawn explained.

“Soooo,” Xander questioned. “You … walked on dragon spines from …”

“No … no, it creates a door, I just step through. It’s like walking through a curtain. It only takes a second,” Dawn clarified.

“So why’d you say three hours?” Xander wondered.

“‘Cos, I had to drive to Stonehenge and then I knew I had to get a cab or call someone to come get me from Moss Beach and bring me here. The actual trip from Stonehenge to Moss Beach was,” Dawn snapped her fingers to demonstrate the trip through the portal. “It’s getting to and from the hot-spots that takes time.”

“Why didn’t ya just have us meet ya there?” Spike wondered.

“They don’t have a tea house and sushi,” Dawn explained with a sly smile. “I haven’t been here in ages, just had a craving. Although, now that I think about it, you would’ve liked it there better, they have a distillery there that’s a restaurant. Oh! Shoot! I should’ve had you meet me there! I totally forgot, they have really awesome buttermilk onion rings! They’re almost as good at that flowering onion thing they had at the Bronze.”

“No worries,” Spike assured her, eying his untouched green tea. “This is … brilliant.”

Dawn laughed again. Spike never remembered her laughing so much. Of course, she had been a teenager. Everything is dire to a teenager, especially one that had just found out that she hadn’t actually existed before six months ago and held some kind of mystical energy inside her that could end the world.

“You’re still a horrible liar,” she told him reproachfully.

“So, can ya open portals to other dimensions too?” Spike wondered.

Dawn nodded. “I can open them if I know where they are … of course, it also helps if you know where they go. You can end up in some really bad places if you just go jumping through portals willy-nilly.”

“Yeah, like pink motel rooms with an air conditioner and a TV both manufactured in 1980, only one bed, and a vampire who’s off his meds,” Xander muttered, popping the last green tea cookie into his mouth.



“Best night o’ his sorry life,” Spike asserted, giving Dawn a small wink that Xander couldn’t see.

**~**

“Now this is what I’m talking about!” Xander exclaimed as he walked into their hotel room later that night.

Since it was late when they got done talking in the tea house, the three decided to stay in San Francisco for the night and head back to the ‘New Sunnydale’ tomorrow. Spike told Dawn to pick any place she wanted, that money was no object. She chose the Five Star Hotel Fairmont Heritage Place near Ghirardelli Square.



“If you had brought me here first, I would’ve given you a big ole sloppy kiss,” Xander continued as he looked around the two-bedroom, lavishly furnished 1,200 square foot suite, which had a full kitchen, living room, over-sized bathroom with a sauna, a giant balcony with a view of the bay, and three … count ‘em three plasma TVs, each roughly the size of Montana.

“Be still m’ heart,” Spike groaned as he set their backpacks down on the large dining room table and looked around too. “I just dropped nearly a grand an’ all I get’s a sloppy kiss? Got a mighty high opinion o’ yourself, Harris.”

“You’ve never been kissed until you’ve been kissed by the Xan Man,” Xander claimed smugly.

Dawn coughed loudly as she came in behind the two men, her disagreement clear. Xander ignored her.

“Don’t really know what you’re making such a big ruckus about, ain’t even got Magic Fingers on the soddin’ beds,” Spike complained.

Xander smiled. “No, but there are two beds in each bedroom … plus a very comfy-looking couch – even the floor here looks more inviting than that one bed at the Motel That Time Forgot.”

Dawn swept in past them and slid open the large French doors that led to the balcony, and a fresh, salty breeze wafted in from the night. “I miss the air in California, it’s sooo…”



“Smoggy and rancid?” Spike interjected. “Smellin’ of rotted fish guts and car exhaust?”

Dawn laughed and turned around to face him. “No … salty and vibrant and … just …” she sighed with melancholy. “Home.”

“We could a’ slept on the soddin’ wharf and gotten that without dropping a bloody grand,” Spike muttered under his breath.

“You are so cheap,” Xander declared, prodding Spike in the middle of his back with a pointy finger.

“Am not, I’m … thrifty,” he defended, bending his arm at an impossible angle behind his back to rub the spot Xander had poked.

“You say potato …” Xander muttered as Dawn walked back towards them.

“Which room do you guys want?” she asked, picking up her own bag.

“It doesn’t matter,” offered Xander. “You can have the one with the balcony and the fresh smog.”

Dawn’s smile brightened. “Thanks!” she exclaimed as she turned to head to her room, but then stopped and looked back. “Oh, in the morning before we leave, I want to stop at Ghirardelli’s and pick some stuff up to take with us. Does Buffy still like that Intense Dark Hazelnut Heaven?”

Spike sighed, pulled out his wallet, and began checking how much cash he had left. “Yeah … and about ten other kinds … and the Niblett too. Be lucky t’ get outta this dimension with any money left at all.”

“You’ll be lucky to live five minutes if Buffy finds out you were within walking distance of Ghirardelli’s and you didn’t bring her half the store,” Xander pointed out. “Think of it as self-preservation.”

Spike sighed again and nodded. Harris had a point.

**~**

“Couldn’t sleep, eh?” Spike asked a couple of hours later as Dawn padded past where he sat on the couch. She’d apparently been heading for the kitchen.



She shrieked and jumped as she spun to face him in the dark.

“God, Spike! You scared me to death!”

“Yeah, well … vampire, remember,” he pointed out, sliding over to make room for her to join him.

Dawn sat down on the couch sideways facing him and crossed her legs Indian-style. “What’s the matter, Xander’s snoring keep you up?” she asked with a knowing smirk.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Sounds like a bloody freight train rumbling through the room, he does. He didn’t do it last night. Considered getting in ‘is bed and letting him cuddle to shut him up, but he hogs the bloody covers.”

Dawn laughed and nodded. “Like I said, some things never change.”

“So,” Spike started, turning slightly to face her in the dark. “What weren’t you saying before in front of Harris?”

Dawn rolled her eyes and ran a hand through her long hair, tousling it around her face and shoulders. “Our Anya’s dead, ya know?” she began.

“Kinda figured,” Spike admitted.



“She didn’t make it out of the high school – Andrew said one of the Bringers killed her. Xander’s never … well, he’s never been the same since. He’s just been … so … depressed and guilt-ridden. Your Xander’s more like old Xander. I like him.”

Spike nodded. “Reckon I could see how losing Anya would change ‘im. Be like that summer we lost Buffy … only forever.”

Dawn nodded. “So, you and Buffy are really … happy, huh?”

“Yeah,” Spike agreed. “It’s not all Christmas and puppies, but we get on.”

“And all those kids! Buffy never thought she’d have any kids, you know, being the Slayer and all. Plus … I think I kinda put her off the idea. I might’ve been … a little difficult when I was younger.”

Spike laughed. “You’re the queen of understatement, pet.”

Dawn rolled her eyes.

“I’m really so glad that you’re together though. You guys never could catch a break. Between her vampire neurosis and Riley and dying and … well, everything else …

“You know, I had a total crush on you when I was fourteen,” Dawn admitted, looking down and studying her fingernails in the dim light that shone in from the distant wharf.

“Did ya now?” Spike asked, cocking a brow as if surprised by this revelation.



“Buffy, of course, thought I’d lost my last marble.”

“It’s a wonder she didn’t stake me on the spot.”

Dawn nodded and fell silent.

“So,” Spike prodded. “Reckon you got over your obsession with vampires then?”

Dawn nodded again. “Yeah … fell in love with a Watcher – one of the new guys Giles recruited: Samuel Sandstone.”

“A Watcher, eh?” Spike started to rib her about falling for a stiff-upper-lip Watcher, but stopped – her whole vibe had changed. “What happened, pet?” he asked, staying solemn.

“He … got killed – he and his Slayer got killed by a pack of vamps about two years ago,” Dawn explained. “I … really loved him. I thought …” she shook her head sadly. “I really thought we’d get married and have kids and …” She sighed forlornly.



“I’m sorry, pet,” Spike offered, reaching a hand out and laying it comfortingly atop hers.

Dawn nodded and finally looked back up at Spike. “Then I … well, I was pretty down and … I don’t really know how it happened, but Xander and I just … we were both in this same dark place and it just happened. The problem was, I climbed out of it and … he’s just stuck there. After a while … well, I just had to break it off. He was keeping me from really healing. He got so mad …” Dawn stopped and cleared her throat with a nervous cough before continuing, “Anyway, I had to just cut all ties with him.

“It’s really a shame because talking to your Xander reminds me of everything that I loved about him at one time. But he just could never pull himself out of that pit of despair, and I just can’t live that way. I lost Mom. I lost Tara. I lost Anya. I lost Buffy. I lost you. Hell, I lost the man I loved too – but that doesn’t mean you stop living, right? I’m still alive. I can still make a difference … I can’t just stop seeing the beauty in the world because people I love aren’t in it anymore.

“Willow always told me: ‘Buffy and Spike would want you to be happy. They would want you to laugh and love and enjoy life. Every time you laugh, an angel sings in heaven and they’ll know that you’re happy.’

“I used to imagine you and Buffy were together in heaven and … it’s silly, but I would go outside and just look up at the sky and laugh for no reason. I always hoped that you could hear me.

“Xander said there was no way God would let William the Bloody into heaven with Buffy, but Willow said Buffy would beat God’s ass if he didn’t,” Dawn laughed and dabbed at her eyes. “I guess Willow was right.”

Spike smiled softly and squeezed her hand. “Reckon Buffy’s beaten bigger Big Bads than God,” he agreed.

Spike wrapped an arm around Dawn’s shoulders and tugged her towards him. She unfolded her legs and turned to lean against his chest, tucked securely under Spike’s arm. Spike dropped a kiss onto the top of her head. “I’m sorry we left you, Niblett,” he offered. “I’m so proud of you, though. Your sister’s gonna be chuffed t’ bits with how brilliantly you’ve done.”

Dawn had no words. She just nodded against him and gave up trying to stop her tears. ‘Bittersweet’ just reached a whole new level.

**~**

Next Day, on the road again:

“No! I’m totally serious!” Dawn related to Xander as they traveled down the interstate back to Sunnydale. “The Initiative chipped Spike – he couldn’t hurt anyone … but he didn’t realize it, right? So, he goes to Buffy and Willow’s dorm room to kill Buffy – as normal – but Buffy’s not there. So, while he’s waiting, he tries to bite Willow and he can’t! He can’t do anything!”



“OI!” Spike objected from the driver’s seat. “I could a’ done … something – if I’d wanted to. Just couldn’t … bite ‘er.”

Xander laughed and leaned forward to look past Dawn, who was sitting between them. “Spike was … impotent? A harmless wittle lamb? Spike! You never told us about that before.”

“You’ve got a big mouth, Niblett,” Spike growled, scowling at her.

“Oh! And he’s totally afraid of bears!” Dawn continued as if Spike hadn’t spoken. “I mean ‘scream-like-a-girl’ afraid of bears.”

“I didn’t scream like a bloody girl. And if you were tied to a bloody chair in a room with a giant bear, you’d scream too, I reckon,” Spike defended.

“Buffy had you tied to a chair and put a bear in the room with you?” Xander asked. “That’s a little over the top kinky even for you, Spike.”

“Noooo, you prat! It was Thanksgiving and it was a demon bear spirit thingy,” Spike related vaguely.

“It was still soooo funny. His eyes got big as saucers!” Dawn claimed, widening her own eyes with her fingers to demonstrate. “‘You made a bear! You made a bear! Undo it! Undo it!’” Dawn mocked between fits of laughter.



“You don’t know! You weren’t even there! You went with your mum to visit relations back east!” Spike pointed out.

“Buffy told me all about it,” Dawn claimed, giggling.

“Why don’t ya tell Harris about the time ole Drac had ‘im whimpering after ‘im like a puppy? Or that time that what’s-it demon split ‘im in two and ‘e tried to kill himself – literally?” Spike suggested.

Dawn thought about it, but decided to stay on the ‘Spike’ parade. “Oh! Wait until you hear this one! There was this robot girl named April, and Spike made a pass at her at a party. She threw Spike through a window! She picked him up like he was a rag doll and…”



“Please stop!” Spike objected. “You weren’t there either!”

“Reee-jected!” Xander interjected loudly.

Dawn giggled. “Buffy told me! She laughed about that for days!”

“I’m bloody glad my pain was so entertaining to you bints,” Spike growled.

“Ok – wait! Just one more!” Dawn pleaded. “This was one of my favorite Spike moments. It was when Buffy was dead the second time. This gang of motorcycle demons took over the town, right? Well, I was home with Spike, but we needed to get out of the house – get away from this gang that was tearing up the place.

“So, Spike goes and stands in the middle of the street – just stands there all calm and cool with all these bad-ass demons smashing and looting stuff all around him. He was like … I don’t know – Dirty Harry or something, like, c’mon punk, make my day,” Dawn related excitedly.



“Then, this motorcycle demon comes roaring right at him and Spike just stands there and I thought I was gonna pass out! My heart was like trying to escape and run away, but Spike’s just all Mr. Cool standing there waiting, and then BAM! He moved so fast I could barely see him! He like spun around in mid-air and knocked the demon off his motorcycle! And his duster was like … billowing out like Batman’s cape. It was the coolest thing ever!”

Spike smirked, keeping his eyes on the road, feeling pretty self-satisfied with that story.

“So,” Xander summarized. “That sounds like Spike-the-impotent-loser: fifty; Spike-the-bad-ass: one.”

“Sod off, Harris. I saved the bloody world in the end, didn’t I? Reckon that counts for something,” Spike argued.

“Which I understand included wearing that really dorky necklace that our Buffy wore,” Xander taunted. “Nothing says ‘bad-ass’ like drag-queen bling.”

Dawn and Xander rolled in laughter. The laughing only waned slightly when Spike pulled over and threatened to put them both out on the side of the road.

In truth, Spike didn’t mind the ribbing so much. Some of the stories Dawn told about him had nearly been forgotten in the ethereal memories he had of that dimension. He was extremely happy she stuck with embarrassing, but in the end, harmless tales. There were plenty of stories she could’ve told that were, well … dishonorable, to say the least.

**~**

“Ok,” Xander commanded as Spike pulled the borrowed pickup truck back into its place next to the construction trailer. “Just follow my lead.”

“Aye, aye, Capt’n,” Spike muttered as he cut the engine and put the keys back in the little magnetic box they’d come out of.

The three of them piled out of the truck and grabbed their backpacks. Spike took the large gym bag that held the chocolate from Ghirardelli’s from Dawn, who had been holding it. Spike stuck the magnetic box with the keys in it on the driver’s door and they headed off towards the portal, Xander in the lead.

Xander was happy to see that Mr. McNally had left the area flagged and barricaded off. Even though all the other streets around it now had the first layer of asphalt lain down, they had skipped several yards on either side of the rubble of the exploded catch-pit.

The three travelers were nearly to the hole in the ground when they heard someone calling, “Harris!”

“Crap,” Xander moaned, hoping beyond hope that McNally hadn’t called the building inspector’s office looking for him. Xander stood up straighter and put on an air of importance and impatience as he turned around to meet the foreman.

“Oooo,” Spike whispered. “Look at the puffed-up manly, man.”

“Shut up,” Xander growled at him as he stepped past Spike and Dawn to greet Mr. McNally.

“I don’t have time to chat, McNally,” Xander stated hurriedly. “We’ve got four other jobs to look at today, so, we’ll just get this concrete tested and…”

“Tested? But … I thought …” McNally stammered as all the color drained from his face. “I thought we had an understanding,” he said in a low voice so no one else could hear.

“But I can’t afford an understanding with three of you. Why did you bring even more people into this, Harris?” McNally asked, looking at Spike and Dawn in turn.

“Well,” Xander began in a loud voice, “I can’t go anywhere without my personal assistant, William, now can I? And this is Miss Summers – she’s the concrete tensile strength testing tech. I am supposed to be testing the concrete – it’s hard to make that look legit if I don’t have a tech with me,” he explained.



“Of course,” Mr. McNally agreed. “But … just how much understanding are we talking about, Harris?”

“Tell you what, McNally, let’s see just how crappy your concrete is, then we’ll know just how much understanding we’ll need,” Xander suggested, turning on his heel and starting for the hole again. “Let’s go, William – chop, chop,” he ordered, clapping his hands together as he passed Spike.

Spike growled under his breath, but started after Xander. Dawn hurried after them. The ladder was still in the hole, so Xander ducked under the tape and between the barricades and started down.

McNally had hurried up after them and stood at the edge of the pit, looking down nervously.

Once all three of them were down in the crumbled catch-pit and standing in front of the portal, Xander looked up at McNally and said, “You know, this would probably go much better if we had some nice, cold water … bottled water. What kind do you want, William?”

Spike struck a pose like a ‘Racer’ on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’. With one hand on his hip, which he’d jutted out to the side, he pursed his lips and then shook his head as if he had long hair that he was trying to get out of his face. “Perrier,” Spike purred, looking up at McNally, his eyes narrowed into sultry slits.

McNally gulped. “Uhh … Perrier? We don’t have any … we have AquaFina,” McNally offered, looking desperate.

Xander clicked his tongue disdainfully and sighed heavily. “Well, if that’s all you have. I suggest you stock up on Perrier for the future, though. A happy assistant makes for a happy inspector,” Xander informed the foreman. “Run along now – I’m parched,” he instructed, waving a hand at the man dismissively.

“Right – three waters coming up!”

“Make sure they’re ice cold!” Xander called up as McNally hurried away.

“Personal assistant?” Spike mocked scathingly, glowering at Xander. “Sexual harassment, that’s what this is.”

Xander smirked. “You should be so lucky,” he retorted with a self-satisfied grin.

“Ok, can you open it with your cute little … Key thingy?” Xander asked, looking at Dawn. “’Cos we do have blood.”

“I can do it,” Dawn assured him, stepping forward until she was standing right in front of the portal. She pulled the amulet out from under her shirt and closed her eyes. She took a deep breath, in through her nose and let it flow out through her mouth, then commanded, “Aperire!”



A bright flash of vibrant, green light burst out of the amulet, slammed against the portal, then spread out and covered an area about six feet high and three feet wide. Within just a couple of seconds, the green light began to glow bright white and started to swirl wildly. A second later, a wind whipped up out of nowhere as the portal opened.

“Here we go!” she announced, stepping through the light and wind and disappearing from view.

Xander and Spike followed quickly on her heels and within just a few seconds they were all three standing in the vampire-dust-clogged Hellmouth of the Unexpected Universe.

When they were all through, Dawn turned back to the open portal and commanded, “Finivi!” and the process reversed. First the wind died, then the swirl of glowing, white light slowed, and finally the white light morphed back to a sparkling, kelly green. Lastly, the amulet seemed to suck the green light back from the portal like a vacuum cleaner until no trace of it remained.

Dawn turned to Spike and Xander, held her hands out Vanna White fashion, and announced, “Ta-da! And, for my next trick …” she shrugged and dropped her arms. “Well, really, that’s my only trick, but, pretty cool, huh?”

“Brilliant,” Spike agreed, giving her a smile.

“Neat,” Xander concurred. “It must save you a fortune on vacation packages!”

Dawn laughed. “Oh totally! One of my favorites is Diamond Head. It’s technically not on the Council’s list of approved destinations – there aren’t any Slayers in Hawai’i,” she divulged with a guilty smile. “But, sometimes I … just end up there … by accident. It’s a total mystery to me how that happens.”

“Oh God, please don’t tell Anya you can do that! She’d go back every weekend if we could afford it. She’s still obsessed with trying to study Alex O'Loughlin’s tattoos up close and personal,” Xander moaned.



As Xander brought up the rear, Dawn began to follow Spike up the stairs and out of the Hellmouth. “That sounds like a perfectly valid ambition to me. They’re definitely worth a lot of very detailed study,” she agreed with a laugh.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear My Old Friend by Tim McGraw on YouTube  }}

My old friend, I recall
The times we had hanging on my wall
I wouldn't trade them for gold
Cause they laugh and they cry me
Somehow sanctify me
They're woven in the stories I have told
And tell again

My old friend, I apologize
For the years that have passed
Since the last time you and I
Dusted off those memories
But the running and the races
The people and the places
There's always somewhere else I had to be
Time gets thin, my old friend

Don't know why, don't know why
Don't know why, don't know why

My old friend, this song's for you
Cause a few simple verses
Was the least that I could do
To tell the world that you were here
Cause the love and thez laughter
Will live on long after
All of the sadness and the tears
We'll meet again, my old friend

Goodbye, goodbye
Goodbye, goodbye

My old friend, my old friend
Goodbye, goodbye
End Notes:
Dawn is reunited with Buffy and meets the family next. How will her presence change Annie?
Homeward Bound by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
OrphanKey!Dawn visits the Unexpected Universe.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Thanks also to everyone who voted for the Unexpected Universe in the SunnyD Awards. Your continued support humbles me.

Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
Early Evening, Monday, September 5th, 2011, Unexpected Universe:

Dawn was struck dumb as she, Spike, and Xander walked through the halls of Sunnydale High – the old high school. She was no less awestruck as they walked through the streets of Sunnydale back towards Crawford Street. Sunnydale was still here, still whole. It had changed over the years, as time did to all things, but it was Sunnydale. It was home. Whoever said you can never go home again had been wrong – you could go home and it felt surreal.

The whole Weckerly clan, as well as Anya and JJ, were waiting for them in the great room of the mansion. After Dawn, Spike, and Xander had left the high school, Spike had called home to say they were back and would be there shortly.

Dawn couldn’t believe Buffy and Spike were living in the house she always considered to be ‘Angel’s mansion’. There had been so many bittersweet, and just downright bitter, memories there for Buffy. Dawn was glad to hear that the house on Revello was still ‘in the family’ so to speak, and Xander promised she could visit anytime while she was here.



Spike held the garden door open for Dawn and she entered first. When Dawn stepped in, Buffy handed MacKenzie to Bess and the Slayer rushed over to the door to greet her sister. Dawn shrieked in joy and threw herself at Buffy, nearly toppling the Slayer over in with her enthusiasm.

“My God, Buffy! I never thought I’d see you again,” Dawn moaned against her, tears streaking her face. “I missed you so much. I can’t believe this … this whole thing is like a dream. I mean … I know Spike said you were here, but … my brain just couldn’t totally process it! You’re really here!”

Buffy hugged Dawn to her tightly and smoothed her long, brown hair comfortingly. She had grown even taller than what Buffy remembered; she’d grown into a lovely young lady.



“I’m so sorry, Dawnie. I’m sorry we left you. We tried to get back, but…” Buffy began.

“I know. Spike told me,” Dawn interrupted, pulling back to look at Buffy as she wiped her tear-streaked face with her hands. “My God, you haven’t changed … at all! What … you aren’t a vampire, are you?” she asked, only half-joking.


Buffy laughed as tears leaked from her eyes too. “No … but I’ve died a couple or three times. I think death becomes me,” she teased. “Look at you, Dawnie. You’re all grown up. You’re so tall! And … so beautiful.”

Dawn smiled and ducked her head a bit, tucking some stray hair behind her ear self-consciously. “Thanks,” she muttered as she looked around at the other people gathered around them.

Spike had been swamped by Annie, Dani, and Billy; Xander by Anya and JJ.

“Let me introduce you,” Buffy offered, wiping at her own tears and turning to face Spike.

“The two little blonde monkeys currently clinging to Spike’s neck are Danielle Dawn and William Rupert,” Buffy began.


“Danielle Dawn?” Dawn repeated, looking from Dani to Buffy.




Buffy smiled. “Yeah – after you and Willow,” Buffy confirmed. “Dani, Billy! Stop strangling your father and come say hello to your … Aunt Dawn.” Buffy smiled sadly at the moniker. Everyone in her circle of friends was known by ‘Aunt’ or ‘Uncle’ to the kids, but Dawn really was their aunt … one dimension removed, or something like that. That still counted, right?

Spike set the twins down on their feet and they both came over to shake hands with Dawn, as they’d been shown to do by their father. Dawn dropped down to one knee to be at their level, and pulled them into a giant double-hug instead.  “I never thought I’d have any nieces or nephews. It’s so wonderful to meet you guys!” she gushed over them.

“We have lots of Aunts,” Billy told her earnestly. “But you’re the fairest maiden of them all.”

“Oh, aren’t you sweet?” Dawn burbled, hugging them both tighter.

“He’s just doing his Prince Charming impersonation,” Dani objected contritely. “They’re doing ‘Cinderella’ at school this fall. He thinks he’s some kind of movie star actor … like Shrek or Quasimodo or something.”

“I am not acting! She is the fairest!” Billy objected, scowling at Dani around the back of Dawn’s head.

“You say that to every girl you know,” Dani contended, rolling her eyes.

“I do not! I don’t say it to you!” Billy argued as Dawn released them.


"Only 'cos you know I'd sock you if you did," Dani retorted, sneering at her brother. Billy shot another remark back at her as they shambled away, heading back towards their father, still arguing.

“God, they’re so cute! Like little dolls! Are you sure they’re yours?” Dawn teased, as she stood up and faced Buffy.



Buffy laughed. “Well, they’re half Spike’s so that probably explains your attraction … and the constant bickering.”

Dawn flushed slightly but laughed. “That was a long time ago.”

Buffy gave her a knowing smile – you never really get over your first crush. “This is Bess, our oldest daughter, and MacKenzie, our youngest,” Buffy continued, turning to where Bess was standing, still holding the baby.

“Hi,” Bess greeted her, shifting the baby to her left arm so she could shake Dawn’s hand. “I’m the other vampire of the family – not Buffy. I’m a Slayer, too.”

Dawn’s brows shot up. “Really? Are you … like Spike? You have a soul?”

“I have a soul, but not really like Spike … I’m prettier, stronger, faster, and better in a fight,” Bess joked.

Dawn laughed and cast a glance at Spike, who was now digging in the duffel bag for the gifts he’d gotten for the kids and pretending he hadn’t heard Bess. “That’s really … wow. How old are you … about fourteen, fifteen?”

Bess smiled. “A hundred and twenty-three,” she revealed, grinning.

Dawn’s mouth dropped open and she looked from Bess to Buffy. Buffy rolled her eyes. “It’s true – it’s also a very long story.”

“Which I can’t wait to hear…” Dawn gawped, looking back at Bess. “Don’t tell me, the baby’s twenty-five?”

Bess laughed and jiggled MacKenzie lightly in her arms. “No, she’s thirteen months.”

Dawn reached for the redhead and Bess passed the baby to her. “Where did the red hair come from?” Dawn asked as she nuzzled her face against her youngest niece’s. “I don’t remember any of our relatives having red hair.”

“Best theory: Spike had rust in the pipes,” Buffy teased.

“OI!” Spike objected from the other side of the room. “Not bloody funny, Slayer.”



Buffy, Dawn, and Bess all laughed at his disgruntled look. “That sounds like another story I need to hear,” Dawn whispered to Buffy.

Buffy grinned slyly and gave Dawn a wink. “We’ll talk,” she whispered back.

“I heard that …” Spike informed them over the shrieks of delight from the younger kids as he gave them their presents.

He’d gotten Billy two books: one about the history of San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf and one about the Great San Francisco Earthquake and Fire of 1906. Dani got an authenticated, autographed Barry Bonds baseball, and Xander brought JJ a vintage Joe Montana San Francisco 49ers football jersey, which Spike actually bought as a token of thanks for Xander coming along with him on the mission. Needless to say, Spike's wallet was barely clinging to life, in desperate need of a transfusion, by the time they'd gotten home.

Buffy and Dawn giggled like school-girls who’d gotten caught passing notes in class as Bess took the baby back and wandered away. Buffy and Dawn then turned to Annie. Buffy smiled softly, and took Annie by one hand and Dawn by the other. “Annie, I want you to meet someone I think you’d really like to spend some time with and get to know. This is Dawn – she was my … errr … Buffy’s sister in the other dimension and … the Key. Dawn, this is our eldest daughter, Annie … our Key.” Buffy always made the distinction between Annie being the 'eldest' and Bess being the 'oldest'; it was a fine line, but she knew that Annie took being the big sister – the first born – to heart.

Dawn gave Annie an understanding smile and pulled her into a hug as Buffy released their hands. “It’s so amazing to meet you. I guess I always thought … well … that I was the only one … the only freak in the whole universe,” Dawn admitted, blinking back tears.

“That’s exactly what I thought,” Annie agreed, returning the hug and trying to contain tears of her own. “Mom said Dad and Uncle Xander were gonna bring me a surprise … but I never thought it would be this.”

Dawn pulled back and beamed at her. “I have so much to show you and tell you and ask you!” Dawn exclaimed excitedly. “Oh, this is just so awesome to actually meet another living person that has this … stuff … this spooky ancient energy, inside.”

Annie smiled widely. She couldn’t agree more.

“OI!” Spike called, interrupting them. “Where are my choco-holics? Tired o’ carrying this bloody stuff around,” he groused. “I’m not a pack mule, ya know.”

Buffy, Annie, Bess, and Dawn headed over to him. Annie beat the others there and flung her arms around her father. “Thank you so much for finding her.”

“Anything for you, pet,” Spike replied, hugging her tightly. “Right then – you lot can fight over what’s left in the bag.”

Annie released him and began to dig into the duffel bag. “Dirty socks?” she asked, pulling out a pair of Spike’s socks. “Mom can have those…” she decided quickly, tossing them aside.

“OH! Chocolate! Ghirardelli’s!” she shrieked as she got to the good stuff and began pulling the boxes and bags of chocolate out.

Buffy laughed and finally got to welcome Spike home. She leaned into him, wrapped her arms around his neck, and he encircled her in a tight embrace. Spike captured her lips in a kiss passionate enough to make Dawn blush and look away. She busied herself by helping Annie sort the chocolate out.


“Welcome home,” Buffy murmured to him when the kiss broke. “I’ll give you a more thorough welcome later,” she whispered into his ear.

Spike smirked. “Can’t wait.”



“Did you guys have any problems?” she wondered, pulling back to watch Annie, Bess, and Dawn as they looked over all the different kinds of chocolate Spike and Dawn had gotten.

Spike snorted. “Just Harris. He’s bloody insufferable,” Spike complained.

“That’s funny, I think I heard him telling Anya the same thing about you,” Buffy teased.

Buffy dropped another kiss on his lips. “Thank you for finding her.”

“Can’t say no t’ my best girls, can I?”

Buffy bit her bottom lip and smiled at him. “Love’s bitch?”

“Always and forever, pet.”

**~**


Dinner that night was a raucous affair with all the kids wanting to share stories and ask questions of Dawn. Except for that one Thanksgiving their Grandpa Summers had visited, they’d never known anyone that knew their mother when she was little. Although things weren’t exactly the same for their mother as what Dawn related, it was close enough to delight the kids and embarrass Buffy.



“So,” Dawn was saying, trying not to giggle. “Buffy just stands there like a big, dumb rock! She’s supposed to be the middle Billy Goat and the Troll keeps asking her … Oh, I don’t remember, something about crossing the bridge and she’s supposed to tell him that she’s too little to eat, that a bigger goat is coming, but she just zoned out. Total stage fright. The other kids tried to keep going without her – pushing her out of the way. It was soooo funny. I think when they finally dropped the curtain, Mom had to go back and get her – she still wouldn’t move.”

“You weren’t old enough to remember that,” Buffy asserted dourly as the kids chuckled.

“No – but Mom told the story often enough. It was one of her favorites,” Dawn retorted happily. “And there was a picture of you in that goat costume. You still looked like something had sucked your brain out when she took it – just the vacant, zombie stare. A zombie-fied goat! You hated that picture with a passion! It was in that old blue photo album …” Dawn’s voice got quiet and trailed off. She cleared her throat and looked suddenly sad. “We lost all that … stuff. We didn’t know the whole town was gonna, you know … implode. We didn’t take anything with us. I don’t even have a picture of you, Buffy … or Mom.”

“Oh, Dawnie – I never … I never thought of that before. I … I have those old albums. We’ll get some copies made for you to take back with you,” Buffy offered, giving her a sad smile.



Dawn nodded gratefully and took another bite of pizza.

“Grandpa Summers said Mama set a school on fire,” Dani offered. “Is that true?”

Dawn's eyes went wide as she smiled and nodded, letting her melancholy go. “Totally! That was back in L.A. She said there were vampires, but … I think she’s just a pyromaniac at heart. And, in my world, Buffy blew up the high school right here in Sunnydale. KA-BOOM!” Dawn demonstrated by flinging her arms in the air. “Oh! And she took out a big part of the mall with that rocket launcher. I’m really surprised they let her back in there. Of course, where I come from, your dad takes the prize for blowing things up. He blew up the whole town!

“You guys have some really destructive parents,” Dawn said conspiratorially to the children. “You need to keep a very close eye on them. They need constant supervision ... maybe you should look into keeping them on leashes when they go outside.”

The kids giggled and looked at their parents, who both just shook their heads and rolled their eyes.

**~**

After Buffy and Spike got the younger kids put to bed, and Xander, Anya, and JJ went home, they sat with Annie and Dawn at the kitchen table talking long into the night.

“Her name is Gertie Greenbriar,” Dawn was telling them as she wrote it down on a pad of paper. “She’s a witch of the coven near London, although she doesn't live there anymore. She specializes in earth energies. She’s very … ummm … in touch with the earth … all ‘tree of life’, cosmic energy, and new-agey. She’s got some … quirks, but she’s really nice and she can help you learn how to feel and use the earth’s natural energy and magic to move between hot-spots.

“She can help you create the amulet, too,” Dawn continued, pulling her amulet out from under her shirt. “You have to make it yourself … you have to choose each stone, you have to do the engraving and the soldering and everything.”

“Gotta dig the bloody silver up outta the ground, too?” Spike asked, scoffing.

Dawn gave him a patient smile. “It would be better if you could, but … no, I didn’t. I actually used … well, something dear to me. Do you remember that old skull ring you gave Buffy that time Willow’s spell went … off?”

Buffy and Spike both nodded.

“Well, I sort-of had that …” Dawn cleared her throat uncomfortably. “I kept that ring – I had it on a necklace that I used to wear all the time. It’s one of the few things I had to remember you guys by, but the amulet needs all the energy you can put into it. It needs to mean something to really work well. It needed to be connected to me, so I melted that down and used the silver from it,” Dawn revealed.

“I know it sounds crazy – believe me,” Dawn continued, rolling her eyes. “When I first met Gertie I was … well … skeptical. But she really knows what she’s doing. Each stone, each crystal has an energy … a resonance of its own. You have to use crystals that match your own personal … vibe and the more of yourself you can put into it, the better it works.”

“How can you … tell? … About the stones, I mean,” Annie asked, looking doubtful.

“You hold it in your hand or against your heart, then you have to really concentrate, let your mind go quiet, and just feel. It isn’t easy. At first, I just pretended to know what she was talking about and picked crystals at random, ones I thought were pretty – the amulet didn’t work. It didn’t do anything.” Dawn snorted a laugh at the memory.

“She’s so … earnest though, that I kept trying to get what she was trying to show me. To be honest, I was starting to think that either she was just a total fruitcake or I was just a complete idiot. I was about to give up when she introduced me to Shiro.”



Dawn wrote another name under Gertie’s on the paper. “Shiro Watanabe. He’s Japanese and he’s … amazing. He’s a true master of geomancy and earth magic, but he’s also an amazing teacher of Eastern meditation.

“It wasn’t until I had worked with him on really stilling my mind and opening myself up to the energies that surround us that I could begin to feel which crystals were in tune with my own chakras.  It took a lot of time and concentration. I won’t kid you; it wasn’t easy, but I did it and now …” Dawn shrugged nonchalantly. “I can skip from Stonehenge to Diamond Head to Ayers Rock to Machu Picchu to the Great Pyramid like...” She snapped her fingers.

Annie’s eyes brightened. The Great Pyramid? Machu Picchu? Stonehenge? Ayers Rock? Those were all posters on her walls. Those were all places that she longed to see. Was that just a coincidence?

“But, can’t you just use blood to open those portals?” Buffy wondered. “And not go through all … that?” Buffy waved her hand at the amulet.



Dawn shook her head. “They aren’t really portals exactly … it’s … they’re places of mystical energy which are connected over the earth by ley lines … Dragon Spines. I can pour blood over them all day long and nothing happens.

“I’m actually using the Key energy to tap into them, but they aren’t like normal portals. I have to use the amulet to bend the energy to my will and actually create a doorway. I have to know where I’m going and really concentrate on that place so I open the right path. It’s hard to explain, but it’s like you’re opening a curtain to step through. On one side of the curtain might be England, and on the other side is California,” Dawn continued.

“The amulet can use the Key energy to open existing portals between dimensions, like I did when we came here, or it can actually create a doorway between the mystical hot spots of the earth. Once I step through and I close the door, then it's like it was never there; I have to create a new one to go back.”

“Can you create portals between dimensions, too?” Buffy wondered.

Dawn grimaced a little and shook her head. “To be honest, I’ve never tried. That’s … well … if I get it wrong, I could end up somewhere pretty bad and I may never be able to get back. I’d really hate to end up in Glory’s hell dimension by mistake. I don’t think she’d be as nice to me there as she was here,” Dawn joked darkly. “If I mess up here on earth, the worst that can happen is I end up in Australia instead of England … I just try again. Of course, I also keep my passport on me all the time and some currency from the different countries I typically access ... just in case I have to get home the old-fashioned way.”

Buffy and Spike both nodded their understanding. “That’s still really amazing … what you can do,” Buffy told Dawn. “It would’ve never dawned on me to even … look into something like this for Annie,” she admitted.

Dawn nodded. “I had never thought about it either – it was really just chance that I went with Willow to the coven a few times and met Gertie. She was the one that saw the potential … or felt it …” Dawn grimaced a little. “Did I mention that she’s a little … quirky? Really powerful and, man, is she smart – she might be an honest-to-goodness genius, but … she’s just a little bit … over the top.”

Buffy took the paper that Dawn had written the names down on and tacked it up on the bulletin board with her other important papers. “Well, she should fit in here perfectly.”

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Homeward Bound by Simon and Garfunkel  on YouTube  }}


I'm sittin' in the railway station, got a ticket for my destination
On a tour of one-night-stands, my suitcase and guitar in hand
And every stop is neatly planned for a poet and a one-man band

Homeward bound, I wish I was homeward bound
Home, where my thoughts escapin', home, where my music's playin'
Home, where my love lies waitin' silently for me

Every day's an endless stream of cigarettes and magazines
And each town looks the same to me, the movies and the factories
And every stranger's face I see reminds me that I long to be

Homeward bound, I wish I was homeward bound
Home, where my thoughts escapin', home, where my music's playin'
Home, where my love lies waitin' silently for me

Tonight I'll sing my songs again, I'll play the game and pretend
But all my words come back to me, in shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness and harmony, I need someone to comfort me
Homeward bound, I wish I was homeward bound
Home, where my thoughts escapin', home, where my music's playin'
Home, where my love lies waitin' silently for me


End Notes:
Next: Dawn and Annie spend some time together, Giles and Anya find another surprise in the vault at Council headquarters, and Billy has a little surprise of his own for Mom and Dad. Special thanks to everyone who reviews - you have no idea how much it means!
I'll Be There for You by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
OrphanKey!Dawn and Annie spend some time together, Giles and Anya find another surprise in the vault at Council headquarters, Mrs. Katz is making waves again, and Billy has a little surprise of his own for Mom and Dad.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
Next Day, Tuesday, September 6th, 2011, Unexpected Universe:

Buffy and Spike let Annie take the day off school so she could spend it with Dawn.  After breakfast, the two Keys went for a walk. Dawn wanted to see Sunnydale, reminisce about places she’d spent time, and see what had changed from what she remembered.

With permission from Anya and Xander, Annie and Dawn stopped by Revello Drive. Annie let them in with the spare key that was hidden under the fake rock by the back door. It looked both different and familiar to Dawn. The furniture, photographs, and decorations had changed, but the feeling of the house was just the same as she remembered. She could see her mom and Buffy there; she could hear old conversations, touch the laughter and tears they’d shared there, feel the love that had surrounded her. It was all very bittersweet.

When Buffy didn’t make it out of the Hellmouth, Dawn had begged Willow to bring her back again, but Willow refused to even try. Citing all that Buffy had gone through before when they had brought her back, Giles and Willow had finally convinced Dawn that trying to bring Buffy back from the dead was a very bad idea. Over time, Dawn had adjusted and gotten past the initial shock and grief of losing not only Buffy, but Spike and Anya as well. After the pain had dulled a bit, she’d accepted her new life as an orphan. The thing that bothered her most was that she had nothing at all to remember her sister or mother by – nothing but memories. It was as if they had never existed. When Dawn died, all trace of them would be gone from the earth, buried in the crater that had once been their town. Seeing their home, redecorated, but whole and solid, was like a balm to that festering wound. It was proof that they had been there – they had existed, they had made a difference in the world.

After Revello Drive, they stopped by the Sunnydale Cemetery. Dawn showed Annie the crypt that had been Spike’s home in Dawn’s world. She told Annie about hours spent there listening to Spike’s ghost stories.

“He was the only one that treated me like a person. Everyone else treated me like a stupid kid … or like some kind of precious Ming vase that they were afraid would get broken and unleash hell on earth,” Dawn confided.

“I’m so glad the monks in this dimension created you the way they did … it’s so much better than what they did to me,” Dawn admitted with a sigh.

“How come?” Annie asked as they walked around the crypt, which seemed empty to Dawn without Spike’s old, tattered furnishings and oddly silent without “Passions’ playing on the old TV.

“They created me out of thin air. One day I didn’t exist and the next day I did – except no one remembered that I didn’t exist. It’s really creepy when you think about it. The monks changed everyone’s memory … ev-ree-one,” Dawn enunciated the last word slowly, adding emphasis to each syllable.

“From the butcher, to the ticket-taker at the movie theatre, to the doctor that delivered me, to everyone in the world that Buffy or Mom had ever known. Everyone remembered me, even though I hadn’t actually been there. They created photographs and diaries, school records, doctor’s visits, and insurance claims … scraped knees and bad perms. The magic they used was … astounding – scary, really.

“Then, Buffy found out. Glory had captured one of the monks and Buffy rescued him. She had suspected something was off, but he confirmed it. He told her what I was and … everything changed. That’s when I became the Ming vase and everything got … weird. Everyone got weird. I knew they were hiding something from me. So, brilliant pre-teen that I was, I set off to find out what the big secret was. And, giant softie vampire that your dad is, he helped me.”

Annie watched Dawn and listened as she talked, taking in her story. She didn’t interrupt the older girl, but tried to imagine what she would’ve done in her place. What if she had been created out of thin air instead of created the old-fashioned way … albeit with help from the monks? How different her life would’ve been. How different she would’ve been.

“I thought I deserved to know what they were hiding from me,” Dawn continued. “I thought I knew everything … but I didn’t know anything.” Dawn sighed and rolled her eyes as she lifted herself up and sat on the sarcophagus in the center of the crypt. Annie joined her, silently waiting for her to go on.

“When you’re young, you don’t know enough to know that you don’t know anything. When you’re a kid, you think the world revolves around you … when you get older you realize that 99.99% of the world doesn’t give a crap about you. There’s a saying: ‘Youth is wasted on the young.’ I’m still young, but sometimes I feel really old … like this ancient energy inside me is leaking out and making me see how small we all really are and how short life is in comparison.”

Dawn smiled sadly and turned on the stone top to face Annie. She brushed some of Annie’s long hair back over the girl’s shoulder and sighed. “Don’t ever underestimate how much your family loves you or how important they are. The monks might’ve used their magic to make you, they might’ve hidden this big scary power inside your blood, but you’re still Spike and Buffy’s daughter – the magic doesn’t change anything.

“It’s a big world, Annie … there’re lots of scary things out there in the dark and, worse – there’s lots of apathy. I didn’t realize it until Spike and Buffy were gone. I never felt it when they were there watching out for me – I just felt smothered. But when they died, a giant hole opened up inside me and I wished they were there to smother me … to protect me from the harsh reality of life.

“They might not be perfect, Annie, but believe me when I say they love you more than anyone ever will again. They only want what’s best for you, so … try to give them a break when they do dumb stuff. Remember that they’d give their lives for you without a single thought … without a moment’s regret.”

Annie nodded. “Mom already did,” she admitted softly.  

Dawn nodded. “Well, I guess that’s something else we have in common, isn’t it?”

**~**

When the girls got back to the mansion, Buffy was sorting out photos from the old photo albums so she could get copies made for Dawn.

The two Keys joined Buffy at the kitchen table and began looking over the old photos. Dawn felt a wave of melancholy come over her as she looked over the memories, only then realizing that she wouldn’t be in any of them. In her world, the monks had changed that too. Her mind knew that, but her heart hadn’t really processed the meaning of it. It was strange seeing familiar photos without her in them. She quickly hid her disappointment by telling herself that she should just be happy to have photos of Buffy and her mom to take back with her – it was much more than she had now.

“Where’s the zombie-goat picture?” Dawn asked as she scanned through the various photos Buffy had taken out.

“Oh … uhhh … that got … lost somewhere along the way,” Buffy stammered, quickly closing the album she was working on and opening a different one.

“You are a horrible liar,” Dawn accused, reaching for the book Buffy had shut.

Buffy jerked it out of Dawn’s reach. “It’s not in there – it’s … lost,” she contended again.

Dawn quirked one brow up into a high arch and began to say something when the phone rang. Buffy jumped up as if she’d been shot and headed for the phone. She tucked the album that she’d closed under her arm and took it with her.

“Hello?” Buffy answered, holding the book against her chest protectively.

“Buffy,” Giles’ voice came over the line, sounding concerned. “Did you put anything other than the scroll that you had me retrieve into the vault during that time that changed?”

“No,” Buffy replied, her brow furrowed. “Why?”

“Well, Anya and I were taking inventory and found an … anomaly,” Giles explained cautiously.



“You found … flowers in the vault? Live flowers ... or silk? Don't tell me they're those really gaudy plastic ones!”

Giles sighed heavily. Buffy thought she could hear him polishing his glasses over the phone. “Not anemones, an anomaly … something peculiar.”

“Oh. I knew that ... Is that good or bad?”

“Well … I’m not entirely certain,” Giles admitted. “Could you and Spike come by? I think this is something you must see in order to fully appreciate.”

“Ok, sure,” Buffy agreed. “We’ll be over in a few.”

Buffy hung up the phone and laid the photo album down on the table next to it, worrying her lip with her teeth. What had Giles found? What else might’ve gotten put in the vault and protected from the reality shift? Only one way to find out.

**~**

Buffy, Spike, Dawn, Annie, and MacKenzie arrived at Council headquarters about a half an hour later. Giles, Wes, and Anya were waiting for them. There was a cloud of anxious, excited tension in the air that even MacKenzie seemed to be able to feel. The baby started crying as soon as they walked through the doors and she refused to be comforted.

“Ok, so let’s see what you’ve got,” Buffy said, talking over the crying baby as she jiggled her lightly in her arms and tried to soothe the redhead. “Do the kids need to wait in the nursery? Is it dangerous?”

Giles shook his head. “It doesn’t appear to be – it hasn’t actually … moved or done anything. It’s simply … disconcerting and quite remarkable, really.”

“Something t’ do with the Gem?” Spike asked hopefully.

“I … don’t believe so,” Giles replied as he began leading the way back towards the vault, the others falling into step behind him.

“We’ve placed it in the sorting room,” Giles told them as he passed by the vault and opened a door next to it. He stood aside and allowed Buffy to enter first, Spike right behind her.

Buffy walked in a couple of feet and came to a dead stop. Spike bumped into her back and they both stumbled forward a couple of steps as they looked at the ‘anomaly’ sitting at the table. It was Buffy.



Dawn and Annie filed in behind the two adults, then Giles, Anya, and Wes stepped in behind them.

“Buffy-bot,” Buffy, Spike, and Dawn all announced at once, their voices tinged with disbelief.

“Pardon?” Giles and Wes replied in their own harmonic chorus.

Buffy handed MacKenzie to Annie and took a step forward toward her doppelganger, who was sitting in a chair at the table, eyes closed as if in sleep. “It’s a Buffy-bot,” Buffy said absently, answering Giles and Wes. “Warren … must’ve …” Buffy touched the robot, but it didn’t wake up.

Buffy looked at the others, who had hung back as she moved forward. “It’s a robot … it … there was one in the other dimension – the dimension Dawn’s from,” she stammered, glancing furtively at Spike, then looking back at the robot. “Warren Mears built it. He must’ve … built one here when he followed me, but I don’t remember it. I never saw it. I don’t know how it got here or …” Buffy shook her head and chewed on her thumbnail as she thought.

“But what does it do?” Wes asked. “What is its purpose?”

Buffy’s face flushed slightly and she glanced at Spike and Dawn, then cleared her throat. “Well, it can do almost anything. It walks and talks and acts like me. It can be programmed to do almost anything,” Buffy explained. Heat crept up her cheeks as she thought about just what it had been programmed to originally do in the other dimension. “It can fight and it’s really strong,” she added quickly.

“She can even pretend to be my legal guardian at parent-teacher day at school – and pull it off pretty well,” Dawn interjected. “And she loves to play checkers with Spike,” she added wryly.

Giles looked at Dawn with confusion. “Checkers?”

Dawn nodded. “Oh yeah … totally loves checkers. Didn’t you know about Spike and his checker obsession?” she asked dryly.

“OI!” Spike cut in. “Don’t reckon we need t’ talk about that ‘ere,” he advised with a hint of a threat to his tone.

“Oh, I get it!” Anya piped up. “‘Checkers’ is code for ‘sex’. She’s a sex toy … like a blow-up doll, only better. That’s brilliant! Could I have one, too? I want one that looks like Xander. There’s no way he could get jealous of a ménage à trois with himself!”

Spike sighed and rolled his eyes. “Bloody hell,” he moaned, although he had to admit Anya’s idea had some merit. Oh, not the two Xanders bit – that would be a nightmare – but two Buffys … that definitely had some possibilities.

Buffy rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Forget it, Anya,” she rebuffed the ex-demon. “Warren’s bad news and I don’t think the world could survive two Xanders, anyway.”

Turning to look at Giles, Buffy continued, “Was there some kind of cord or charging device that went with it?”

“Yes – here,” he answered, moving over to a corner of the room and picking up the charger and showing it to her.

“What do you propose we do with it, Buffy?” Wes asked as she turned and looked at what Giles was showing her.

Buffy looked at Spike, but he shrugged noncommittally. “I … uummm,” she began as she thought. “I guess just keep it in the vault for now. When Willow comes for Christmas, we can get her to poke around inside. I don’t think there’ll be anything drastic in the bot’s programming that can’t wait. Too bad you didn’t find it a few days ago when Willow was here…” Buffy replied, thinking aloud. “I hate to make her come right back.”

Spike looked slightly disappointed, but didn’t voice it even through the bond to Buffy. Somehow Buffy seemed to read his mind anyway. You can have two Buffys anytime you want, you big perv, she sent him through the bond.



Spike smirked and met her eyes across the short distance. Of course, turnabout is fair play on that score, she added with a flirty smile. Spike’s smirk deepened as he remembered her subconscious’ ‘Pick Your Pleasure’ store – he had no objections to that trade.

“There may come a time when we can use her in a fight or … as a decoy or something,” Buffy continued thinking aloud. “Oooo … maybe I could send her to PTA meetings,” she suggested brightly.

“Fit right in, I’d wager,” Spike agreed under his breath.

“We used the bot to help fight Glory back home,” Dawn offered. “She did pretty well, too – probably not as well as she did at checkers, but…”

Spike let out a low, almost sub-sonic growl. Dawn suppressed a giggle but moved out of arm’s reach of the vampire, just in case.

“Very well, then,” Giles agreed. “We’ll lock it back up in the vault and wait for Willow. I must say, I feel a bit … peculiar putting you in the vault, Buffy.”

“Oh, I’m sure there have been times when you wished you could lock me away and make me shut up and listen – here’s your chance,” Buffy replied, giving her Watcher a bright smile.

“Indeed,” Giles intoned, rolling his eyes.

Buffy took MacKenzie back from Annie and headed out of the room, followed closely by Dawn. Spike and Annie followed behind them a few feet while Giles, Wes, and Anya worked on getting the bot up and back into the vault.

“Why would Aunt Anya want two Xanders for sex? How would that work?” Annie asked Spike as they walked.

Spike choked on thin air, which seemed to have suddenly become thick and unbreathable, then began to cough violently. “Got no bloody idea,” he wheezed out after regaining his breath a few moments later.

Annie rolled her eyes. She’d ask her mom later.

**~**

The next morning, Wednesday, September 7th, 2011:

The cool air and warm sun ghosted in through the open window and bathed Dawn with a thousand memories. She lay in her bed, her eyes closed, and just allowed the feel and smell of it to wash the years away. She was home, in Sunnydale. She could smell the salt in the air from the ocean, she could feel the brilliant rays of sun shining on her face, she could almost imagine that her mom and Buffy were sleeping right down the hall from her. In a few minutes, her mom would knock on her door and tell her it was time to get up to go to school. She’d moan and roll over, but finally drag herself up and out of the house. Her friends would be waiting for her; they’d share the latest gossip and giggle as they walked to school.

Dawn sighed heavily and opened her eyes, blinking into the bright rays of light that shone through her window. Waking up in Sunnydale was like nowhere else on earth. She’d done a lot of growing up in this town. Even though she hadn’t realized it at the time, she’d come to life in this town; she’d gained everything and lost everything here. It would always feel like her home.

She rolled onto her back and closed her eyes again, willing her mind back into that little twilight dream of her life before. That was how her life was defined: befores and afters. Before losing her mom, and after. Before Glory, and after. Before Buffy died, and after. Before Buffy came back, and after. Before losing Buffy and Spike, and after. Before Sam, and after. Now there would be a new before and after to add to her list: before finding Buffy and Spike again, and after.  Before finding out she wasn’t the only freaky Key in the universe, and after.

She felt tears welling behind her closed lids as her emotions rose in her like a tide of bittersweet joy. She was so thankful Spike and Xander had come for her and brought her back here. She was so glad to finally know for sure that Spike and Buffy were together and they were happy, but she also knew that she couldn’t stay, no matter how much she might want to. People in her own world depended on her – she made a difference. Even though she wasn’t a Slayer, she was the top researcher at the Council and only she could ferry Slayers and Watchers from one side of the world to the other in a blink of an eye, allowing them to stamp out demonic fires before they turned into raging infernos.

“You can always come back and visit,” she told herself aloud, taking a deep, cleansing breath of the cool, fall air, and swallowing back her tears. She only wished she could bottle that fragrance and keep it with her always. But it was more than salt and sea and the hint of tropical flowers that hung in the cool, fall air. Lying here in ‘Angel’s mansion,’ she realized what she was really smelling was the essence of true family: a bouquet of undying love, unequaled courage, and generous sacrifice. It was the perfume of ‘home’.

**~**

“So,” Annie concluded, passing the paper over to Dawn as they sat at the research table later that day. “This is as far as we’ve been able to get with it. Willow is sure the scroll is decoding it right and I think it is too, but it’s into a language we can’t identify.”

Dawn took the paper and studied it intently. She began rummaging through the hundreds of languages, human and otherwise, that she’d dissected and translated over the years, trying to fit them to the words on the page.

“Without this spell in something we can understand, we can’t create another Gem, so Bess and Dad have to share it. They won’t let me watch, but I saw the wound on Bess’ back where they took it out of her. It doesn’t look very … nice,” Annie continued talking as Dawn flipped through a card-catalog of languages in her mind.

After several long minutes, Dawn finally shook her head and looked back up at Annie. “I’m sorry, it’s not ringing any bells for me. Can I take this with me? Maybe I can find it back home.”

Annie sighed but nodded. “I have another copy,” she told Dawn, the glimmer of hope that this older version of herself would recognize the language fading miserably.

“Sorry,” Dawn apologized again, seeing the disappointment on Annie’s face. “It might be some kind of demon language that I haven’t come across yet. When I get home, I’ll go through some of the un-translated books and see if I can find anything that matches. The larger the sample, the easier it will be to translate it to English.”

Annie nodded. “Yeah, that’s why we’re working on decoding the whole book, even though only about three pages seem to actually be the spell.”

“If I can get copies of everything you’ve done so far, maybe it’ll be enough to run some algorithms on,” Dawn suggested.

Annie nodded, but wasn’t buoyed by this. Willow had run lots of algorithms; nothing they had run thus far had made the decoded text make any sense.

**~**

That afternoon, Buffy and Spike waited with a couple of other parents in the mid-afternoon sun for Dani and Billy’s bus to arrive. The bus-stop was only about a block from the mansion, but they both still felt better meeting the bus and walking the kids home – they were just in second grade, after all.

“Can you believe that fucking Katz woman?” a tall, thin woman in her late thirties asked Buffy. The woman was probably six feet tall, but looked even taller due to her reed-like build. She had glossy, stick-straight, dark brown hair cut in a severe pageboy, and a beak-like nose. Over the years, Buffy had realized that she used the word ‘fuck’ like Valley Girls used the word ‘like’ – often and seemingly without any thought. Buffy knew her name was Sydney, but she went by Syd, and had a son, Teddy, who was three or four years older than Billy and Dani. Syd and her husband, Ted, Sr., lived about four or five houses down from Buffy and Spike, on the other side of the Katzes.

Buffy sighed. “What has she done now?”

“Oh! You mean she hasn’t cornered you yet?” Syd asked in a slightly awestruck tone.

Buffy shook her head. “I try to only come outside when I see them drive away,” she admitted.

Syd laughed. “We need to set up a fucking signal … like that thing Commissioner Gordon used to summon Batman, so we’ll all know when it’s safe to go into the yard.”

Buffy and Spike laughed and nodded their agreement, as did a couple of other parents standing nearby.

“So, what’s up now?” Buffy prodded.

“She’s resurrected the fucking homeowners association. She renamed it the ‘Sunnydale Homeowners Resisting Unsightliness Guild’. We’ve all gotten fucking ‘official notices’ of things we need to fix to be in ‘compliance’,” Syd went on, adding air quotes around the words ‘official notices’ and ‘compliance’ as she spoke.

“SHRUG?” Spike questioned, quirking a brow at the tall woman.

Syd snorted a very unladylike laugh and nodded. “Fucking right, SHRUG.”

“She can’t do that,” Buffy complained. “Can she?”

“Apparently, she can and has. There was a homeowners association here when we moved in, but lack of anyone giving a fuck made it die out,” the other woman revealed. “It is on the deed.”

“But you need members, don’t you? I haven’t paid any homeowners dues,” Buffy objected.

“Apparently she’s brow-beat a few ball-less people into joining her,” Syd explained. “And she’s looking for more. I guess she’s funding it herself, and now she’s giving out these fucking ‘official notices’ of things we need to clean up in our yards. She told old-lady Weiss that the garden gnomes in her front yard had to go, and she told me the fucking dollarweed in our lawn was ‘unsightly and lowered the home values of the whole fucking neighborhood.’”

The tall woman smirked and crossed her arms over her chest defiantly. “I’m thinking about planting dandelions and crabgrass to go with it now.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I can’t wait to see what she says about our house,” she groaned.

“Of course, Ted says we should just tell the fucking lawn-man to spray the dollarweed more often. My Ted, he hates making waves,” Syd sighed.

“But … she can’t actually enforce these … violations, can she?” Buffy asked Syd.

Syd shrugged and sighed heavily. “Apparently, since she’s just resurrecting something that is enforceable on our deeds, she can file something with the county to fine us if we don’t comply with the bylaws of the fucking association.”

“Oh, that’s just crap,” Buffy exclaimed. “And who’s making these bylaws?”

“Well, her, of course,” Sydney said tersely. “If we want to change them, then we would need to go to her meetings and get on the fucking board. We’d have to sit in a room with her and the cronies she’s bullied to help her. That’s like willingly walking into the fucking Colosseum to face the lions.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and sighed as the bus pulled up and kids began filing off.

“You really need to look into that Katz signal, though, Buffy. People would be fucking happy to donate to that project,” Sydney assured her as headed off down the sidewalk with her son.

Buffy and Spike turned their attention to Dani, Billy, and JJ, who were just making it off the bus – they were the last ones to file off.

“Oh my God! What happened?” Buffy exclaimed as the three approached. Billy had an eye that had obviously been blackened not long ago and his clothes were dirty and torn in places.



“Billy got in a fight!” Dani announced. She sounded proud.

“What? Why? With who?” Buffy demanded. “No one from the school called.”

“It was right after school in the boys’ bathroom. None of the teachers saw it,” Dani continued happily. Billy, on the other hand, didn’t say anything or even look up at his parents.

“It was sooo cool,” JJ interjected. “Bam, bam!” he demonstrated, punching the air.

“Billy, why were you fighting?” Buffy demanded, dropping down to one knee in front of him.

Billy kept his eyes glued to the sidewalk. “Jason called you names,” he said in a low voice.

“Not just names,” Dani piped up. “He sang: ‘♫Billy’s mom’s a batty bitch. Afraid of bats, an ugly witch.♫’”

Buffy rolled her eyes and sighed. Time apparently hadn’t faded the memory of the fiasco at the zoo last June.

“Billy, that’s still no reason to fight,” Buffy asserted. “Sticks and stones…”

“Papa would’ve,” Billy offered soberly, still looking at the sidewalk.

Buffy looked up at Spike, who just smirked and gave her a one-shouldered shrug in agreement with his son.

“Yeah, well, he would’ve been wrong too. You can’t let people taunt you into fights. Just ignore bullies, that takes their power away.”

“So does beating them up,” Dani offered, still smiling excitedly.


“Junior beat ‘im up?” Spike asked perhaps a little too eagerly, a tinge of pride in his voice.



“Yeah! He hit him right in the mouth! BAM!” JJ demonstrated again, throwing a right jab into the air.

“It doesn’t matter who won the fight. There are no winners in fights over things like this,” Buffy interrupted before anyone could say any more. “Words are not worth fighting over. Someone could’ve gotten seriously hurt.

“No one got seriously hurt, did they?” she asked, suddenly more concerned.

All three kids shook their heads. “But I bet he won’t be singing that song again,” Dani added in a solemn tone.

Buffy sighed again and stood up. “Ok, let’s go home,” she said, reaching for Billy’s hand. He lifted his arm and she wrapped her fingers around his. She gave her son’s small hand a reassuring squeeze as they began to walk down the sidewalk, JJ tagging along next to them.

Wipe that smirk off your face, Papa, she sent to Spike through the bond, shooting him a warning look. This is not of the good.

Spike rubbed a hand over his mouth, trying hard to literally wipe the smirk off, as he let her, JJ, and Billy go ahead. He put a hand on Dani’s shoulder and held her back a moment before they started walking a few paces behind Buffy.

“Junior won the fight?” he asked her quietly.


“Uh-huh,” she replied in a whispered, nodding.



“And you didn’t … help?” he asked, eyeing her suspiciously.

Dani shrugged slightly. “I might’ve … stuck my foot out and someone might’ve … fallen down. But no one saw me – don’t tell Billy.”

Spike chuckled softly and nodded. “Been taking lessons from Bess, eh? She’s a dirty bloody fighter, too.”

Dani shrugged again. “Jason shouldn’t have said those things about Mama.”

“Bloody right,” Spike agreed.

**~**

In the house, Buffy got an ice-pack out of the freezer, wrapped it in a towel, and put it on Billy’s eye, which was starting to swell slightly.

“Keep this on your eye, go up to your room, and stay there. You’re grounded. You can do your homework, but no games, no books, no music, no computer – nothing else,” Buffy ordered. “When this melts, come back down and I’ll get another one.”

Billy nodded and headed upstairs, holding the cold pack against his eye. Dani and JJ followed him up the stairs.

Buffy sighed and shook her head. “This is not of the good, Spike,” she said, watching them go.

Spike shrugged. “They’re kids – they fight. It’s all part o’ growing up.”

“No it’s not. I never fought … not until …” Buffy let her voice trail off.

“He’s a boy. Boys are different,” Spike offered.

Just then, they were interrupted by a shout of victory coming from the training room. They both walked over to the door to find Annie standing over Dawn, Billy’s lightsaber pressed against the older girl’s throat like a sword.

“Excellent! See! It’s not that hard!” Dawn encouraged Annie as she sat up on the soft mat. “It just takes a little practice. I’m sure Buffy and Spike will work with you.”

Spike and Buffy both stood in the door watching, dumbfounded. Annie had never shown any interest in learning to fight or use weapons before.

“It’s kinda fun,” Annie admitted. “It’s kinda like dancing, only more …”

“Bloodthirsty?” Dawn offered, smiling as she got back to her feet and picked her lightsaber back up from where Annie had knocked it out of her hand.

Annie laughed. “I guess …” she agreed. “It’s kinda like dancing to ‘We Are the Champions’ or the theme to ‘Rocky’ or something.”

“Yeah, well, don’t get too cocky,” Dawn advised as she swung her saber at Annie unexpectedly.

Annie jumped back and lifted her own weapon instinctively, barely blocking the swing. “You’ve still got a lot to learn,” Dawn told her as they began sparring again.

“Bloody hell,” Spike murmured. “How did she get the Niblett to do that?”

Buffy shook her head, but clearly remembered Annie’s bravery and how quickly she learned to use a stake and the stun-gun in the Gift-less Universe. Emotions ranging from relief that Annie was actually showing an interest in learning to defend herself to overwhelming dread and fear warred inside Buffy. Annie had always been a ‘girly-girl’, preferring dolls and pink tutus and giving tea parties for her stuffed animals to playing cowboys and Indians or cops and robbers … or Slayers and vampires.

Could Annie be more than the Key? Could she have another destiny, as well? Could she be a Slayer, too? Buffy had accepted the idea that Dani would most certainly be a Slayer, just as Bess was, but she’d convinced herself that Annie would not. She’d convinced herself that their eldest daughter didn’t have the disposition for it, the personality, the … hardness it took – but she did. Even if Annie didn’t remember, she’d shown the metal beneath the frilly exterior in the other dimension. Annie had the heart of a champion beating beneath the surface.

Buffy turned and walked away from the door. She collapsed in a chair at the research table and tried hard not to start hyperventilating. Annie would be thirteen in February. Nowadays many Slayers were being Called anywhere between thirteen and sixteen years of age. Annie could be a Slayer in as little as four months. Holy shit.

“Buffy, what is it, pet?” Spike asked softly, crouching down next to her and putting a hand on her shoulder.

“What if she’s a Slayer, Spike?” Buffy asked him, her eyes wide with fear and glistening with emotion.

“The Niblett?” Spike asked, his brow furrowed. “But … Anne wasn’t – just Bess … Dani’s doppelganger. Aren’t they supposed to be … identical … magically cloned or whatnot?”

Buffy nodded but then shook her head. “Yeah, but back then there was only one Slayer at a time. Anne could’ve had the … potential but just never got Called. Now everyone gets Called.”

“And, what if she is, pet?” Spike asked. “We’re here with ‘er, yeah? She won’t be alone.”

Buffy nodded. “I know. I don’t know why it’s freaking me out. I guess I just never thought it would be her. I just … you didn’t see her in that other world, Spike. She really … she was really brave and did so well … but I couldn’t protect her. And even with as many Slayers as we have, they do still die sometimes. Just this last year one died in India, two others in Africa, and even one right here in the US – in New York.”

“I know that, pet, but the two in Africa were killed before the Council could even find them and get a Watcher there, the one in New York went off partying on her own and got stoned out of her bloody mind – easy pickings, and the one in India wasn’t killed by vamps – she got caught by a bloody tiger … it was a fluke.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I know that. I know none of that will happen to Annie, I just … have a bad feeling about it.”

Spike sighed and took both of Buffy’s hands in his as he looked up from his crouching position to meet her eyes. “I can’t tell ya to ignore your instincts, Buffy. God bloody well knows your gut is usually spot on, but I don’t reckon there’s anything t’ be done. If she’s meant to be a Slayer, there’s nothing gonna stop it.”

He looked over at the still-open training room door. “Looks like you were right t’ bring Dawn here, though. If the Niblett is destined t’ be a Slayer, the sooner she starts learning t’ fight the better, yeah? Hell, living in this town, it’s even more important if she’s not a bloody Slayer. Looks like Dawn’s gettin’ that through to her even if we couldn’t.”

Buffy gave him a sad smile and nodded. “Yeah. Of course, you’re right,” she agreed half-heartedly.  “I’m probably just worrying for nothing. She’s the Key … the prophecy only showed one Slayer as part of the Tetrad. It stands to reason that would be Dani … assuming the idiots writing the damn things know what they’re doing.”

“There ya go,” Spike agreed eagerly. “No worries! Those berks never mess up bloody prophecies.”


Buffy snorted a laugh and rolled her eyes. There were a few silent moments between them before Buffy said, “Can I ask you something?”

“Anything,” Spike agreed, still crouched down on his haunches in front of her.



“Would you have beaten up that boy for calling me a 'batty bitch'?”

“Definitely not,” Spike assured her. “You are a batty bitch most o’ the bloody time.”

Buffy laughed again, leaned over, and dropped a kiss on Spike’s lips.

“I would’ve beaten ‘im up for callin’ you an 'ugly witch' though,” Spike murmured against her lips.

Buffy laughed harder. “What would I do without my two Williams to defend my virtue?”

“Reckon it’s a little late for defendin’ your virtue, pet,” Spike teased. “But callin’ you a witch? Bloody insulting, that is … for proper witches, at any rate. Wouldn’t want to brass off Red and Glinda. They’re bloody scary.”

Buffy sighed dramatically. “I knew I could count on you.”

**~**

{{  Click here to hear The Rembrandts : I'll Be There For You on YouTube  }}

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Your jobs a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.

It's like you're always stuck in second gear
Well it hasn't been your day, your week, your month,
or even your year
but..

I'll be there for you
When the rain starts to pour
I'll be there for you
Like I've been there before
I'll be there for you
'Cuz you're there for me too...

You're still in bed at ten
And work began at eight
You've burned your breakfast
So far... things are goin' great

Your mother warned you there'd be days like these
Oh but she didn't tell you when the world would drop
you down on your knees but....

I'll be there for you
When the rain starts to pour
I'll be there for you
Like I've been there before
I'll be there for you
'Cuz you're there for me too...

No one could ever know me
No one could ever see me
Seems you're the only one who knows
What it's like to be me
Someone to face the day with
Make it through all the rest with
Someone I'll always laugh with
Even at my worst I'm best with you, yeah

It's like you're always stuck in second gear
And it hasn't been your day, your week, your month,
or even your year...

I'll be there for you
When the rain starts to pour
I'll be there for you
Like I've been there before
I'll be there for you
'Cuz you're there for me too...

I'll be there for you
I'll be there for you
I'll be there for you
'Cuz you're there for me too...
End Notes:
Next: Spike takes on Mrs. Katz and SHRUG ... but, to his dismay, he must abide by Buffy's 'sticks and stones...' rule she set down for Billy.
Fortune Favors the Brave by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Spike makes a pact with Billy but then must stick to it as he takes on the Quidnuncious demon.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Thanks and hugs to Magnus for introducing me to Dame Edna, whom I'd never heard of before, but is a perfect ringer for Mrs. Katz! Wow! Cue Twilight Zone music! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
Later that evening, Wednesday, September 7th, 2011:

Billy lay on his back in his bed and stared blankly at the white ceiling above him. His eye really hurt, but it hadn’t swollen shut or anything like that. He’d seen his dad with much worse – he wasn’t sure how anyone could stand much worse.

He’d kept ice on it all afternoon. Changing the ice pack or going to the bathroom were the only two reasons he could come out of his room. Grounded. He was grounded. It hardly seemed possible. He was always the one keeping Dani out of trouble; he was the voice of reason, the level head, but he was the first of the two of them to be grounded … ever. The world must’ve flipped on its axis today.

A knock on his door pulled his eyes away from the ceiling. “Come in,” he called half-heartedly, not moving.

Spike came in carrying a tray with Billy’s dinner on it. He set the food down on the dresser and looked at his son. He couldn’t help the small well of pride that bloomed inside him, despite Buffy’s contention that fighting over nothing but words was ‘not of the good’.

“How’s the shiner?” Spike asked, sitting down on the edge of Billy’s bed.


Billy pushed up and leaned his back against the headboard. “Ok, I guess.”

“First time I got a black eye, I thought my bloody eyeball was gonna explode outta the socket,” Spike offered.

Billy touched a finger just under his eye and winced. “I guess that’s why it swells, to keep your eyeball inside.”

Spike chuckled lightly and nodded. “Reckon so.”

“Is Mama still mad at me?”



“She’s not mad at you, Junior. She just thinks there’re some things worth fightin’ over and some things that aren’t. Your mum thinks us blokes should be more … selective in what we come t’ blows over.”

“Sticks and stones…” Billy offered solemnly, looking down at the knuckles of his left hand, which were also a bit bruised.

Spike shrugged. “I reckon there’s a reason that saying’s been around so bloody long.”

“I know,” Billy agreed grudgingly. “But you didn’t hear him. If you had been there, you would’ve beaten him up too. Jason’s a big ole jerk. It wasn’t Mama’s fault when she got scared of the bats … no one understands about … stuff.”

“Reckon that’s true enough. Also relative sure you’re right … I woulda laid the boy over my bloody knee ‘til he found a new song t’ sing. But, your mum woulda grounded me too, if I’d a’ done that.”

Billy smiled a little and looked up at his father. “You’re too big for Mama to ground,” he asserted.

Spike snorted. “We’re talking about your mum … she could ground King-bloody-Kong.”

Billy laughed a bit, but stopped when pain shot from his eyeball into his brain.

Spike sobered a bit and handed Billy a couple of children’s pain-killers and the glass of milk off his dinner tray to wash them down with.


“Can’t say what you did was … justified, William, but it was brave, defending your mum’s honor. ‘Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once,’” Spike quoted another William.

“Your mum tells me that sometimes the bravest thing is to just walk away.” Spike shrugged a little. “Don’t have much first-hand experience with that, but I reckon she could be right.”



Billy pursed his lips and began his ritual of moving them from side to side as he considered this. He finally nodded, his lips still pursed in thought. “I never really hit anyone before … well … except for Dani and JJ. But I never hit anyone in the face like that. It kinda hurt,” he admitted, holding up his left hand.

Spike looked at his son’s bruised knuckles and nodded. “Yeah, not like they show on TV. Hitting people in the mouth can be right painful. All them sharp bloody teeth there, just waiting to cut ya. Best t’ go for the nose – bleeds easier an’ not as hard on the digits.”

Billy nodded and flexed his hand. “It hurt him more, though. He was bleeding … split his lip and he fell down. He won’t be singing anymore, I bet.”

Spike smothered a victorious, proud smirk. Keeping his expression neutral, he said, “How about we make a pact, you and me? Sticks and Stones.”

Billy nodded.

“Shake on it,” Spike offered his hand and Billy shook it. “Right then,” Spike began, standing up. “Your mum says ya gotta stay in your room the rest of the night … no computer, music, games, or books. But that’s it … tomorrow’ll be back to normal.”

Billy sighed in relief and nodded happily, his mass of flaxen curls jostling vigorously around his face. He’d only have to stare at the blank ceiling a little while longer.

**~**

Next Day, Thursday, September 8th, 2011:



Spike crept out of the house in the pre-dawn twilight, intent on his mission. The sky was a deep gray, just starting to tinge with blue as he made his way toward his objective.  It wasn’t as high on the danger-scale as, say, slaying a dragon, but it was no walk in the park, either. Retrieving the newspaper from the driveway had become an obstacle-course fraught with potential for disaster since the Quidnuncious demon had moved in next door. Getting the mail was bad enough, but at least there were hedges along the front walk for cover; the driveway was as wide-open as mid-western prairie in comparison, and anyone crossing the vast wasteland of brick pavers could be easily seen from the house next door.

Buffy had hired a landscape company to take out the lawn that covered the narrow area between the driveway and the property line. They replaced it with some fast-growing Oleander bushes for cover, but they weren’t that fast-growing. After they’d been planted, Buffy had joked if all else failed, she could boil some leaves of the poisonous bushes and invite Mrs. Katz over for tea one day. In the meantime, as they waited for the plants to grow, retrieving the morning paper had become a mission akin to traversing a mine field. One wrong move and you were history … or it felt that way, at least.

Spike had just picked up the paper and begun the treacherous trek back to the garden steps when a Claymore mine exploded in his ears. “Mr. Waverly! Yoo-hooo! Mr. Waverly!” The demon-woman’s voice cut the still morning air like a hail of shrill gun-fire.

Spike could hear her feet already pattering on the pavers of the driveway; he could smell the nauseating perfume which she apparently bathed in morning, noon, and night. He stiffened and stood up from the half-crouch he’d been in, turning to face the oncoming threat – it was too late to flee now.

“Lady Macbeth,” Spike greeted her with a low, barely-audible growl, bowing slightly from the hip.




“Oh, I’m so glad I caught you! You folks do seem to be always scurrying around so quickly. You really must learn to slow down – we don’t live forever, you know,” Mrs. Katz continued in her nasally whine, apparently not hearing or understanding Spike’s greeting.

“Some might meet their end sooner than others,” Spike agreed. Anyone paying attention would’ve heard the threat in his voice – Mrs. Katz did not.

“Oh yes – we simply never know, do we?” she agreed cheerily as she invaded Spike’s personal space before she stopped moving forward.

Spike glowered at her a moment, but she remained unfazed. He was forced to take a step back or risk being fumigated by her halo of perfume. Even if Buffy would’ve condoned killing her, he wasn’t sure he could actually get close enough to her through the haze of eye-watering, sinus-burning, skin-peeling, napalm-like fragrance.

His mind wandered off a moment, envisioning ways of slaying the obnoxious demon from a distance. A gun would work, but was a bit noisy … perhaps he should go with the tried-and-true crossbow. It would be better if it looked like an accident. Maybe he could run her over with a stolen car or crash a plane into her house…

“Which is why…” she continued talking, holding out several canary-yellow papers towards him, “…we should make the most of every single day. And why it would behoove you, as the man of the house, to make sure your home is up to the standards of this neighborhood. You wouldn’t want to leave a burden for your family to clean up, now, would you? The loss of the head of the house, the bread-winner, the king of the castle would be devastating all by itself," she continued, her voice solemn now. "But it would be made that much more devastating if your dear, thin, sickly wife were saddled with having to bring your home into compliance with the bylaws of the Sunnydale Homeowners Resisting Unsightliness Guild if you were to suddenly meet an untimely demise.”

Mrs. Katz smiled sweetly as she waved the papers in front of Spike’s face, fanning the eau du napalm over him. Spike grabbed them, just to get her to stop sending the noxious smog at him, and took another step back.

He looked down at the stack of bright papers. There were large, red letters across the top of each one declaring them an ‘Official Notice of Noncompliance’. He scanned down the top sheet until he found the section proclaiming what the offense was. The first paper declared that oil stains on the driveway needed to be cleaned and ‘vegetation growing in the cracks of all hard surfaces must be removed’. The second said that their lawn, like Syd and Ted’s, had an unacceptable level of ‘non-compliant vegetation’, specifically ‘dollarweed, bindweed, and chickweed’.  Huh, looked like they beat out Syd and Ted with three offending weeds, not just one. The third notice said that their oversized mailbox was noncompliant and needed to be replaced. It gave the specific model, color, and size that was acceptable. The fourth, and final, notice indicated that the mansion needed to be painted, as it had been over fifteen years since it had been done.


“How the bloody hell do you know the last time the soddin’ house was painted – you just moved in,” Spike demanded, looking up at the pinch-faced woman.



Mrs. Katz’s plastic smile never wavered. “It’s beginning to get chalky – an obvious sign of neglect,” she replied matter-of-factly.

“That’s the bloody effect we were goin’ for! There’s nothing wrong with the soddin’ paint! In fact, all this is a load of bollocks,” Spike asserted, waving the papers at her like she’d waved them at him.

“I’m so glad you agree,” Mrs. Katz beamed, her voice grating on Spike’s eardrums like a dentist’s drill. “I know you’ll have everything fixed within the ten day limit.

“Oh dear, look at the time! I must get my Abner’s breakfast ready. He gets so cranky if he doesn’t have his coffee first thing,” the demon-woman offered, turning and heading back down the driveway.

“Reckon I’d need a bloody sight more than coffee to get me past cranky if I lived with the likes of you,” Spike growled after her.

“Have a lovely day!” she called back over her shoulder, giving Spike a backwards wave as she tottered off, her pink, fuzzy slippers scuffling over the oil-stained pavers and non-compliant vegetation that grew in spots between them.

**~**

“Buffy!” Spike wailed as he got back into the house. “BUF…” he began again even louder just as she stepped out of the kitchen doorway.

“Shhh! The baby’s still sleeping!” she admonished him. “What?”

Spike waved the papers at her. They still smelled like Mrs. Katz and the odor spread across the whole room, hitting Buffy before she even got close to them. “Oh shit…” she muttered, moving forward to take them from him.

“That woman is not human. I say we slay her, immediately if not sooner,” Spike asserted angrily.



Buffy rolled her eyes and began looking at the papers. “You know very well she’s human. No respectable demon could smell this bad…” she muttered, holding the papers as far a away from her nose as possible as she read. She tried to take shallow breaths and began to breath through her mouth to minimize the damage to her olfactory senses.

Spike snorted. “No human could live in that cloud o’ noxious fumes she’s got around her. She’s a bloody demon, plain and simple.”

The kids, as well as Dawn, who had been having breakfast in the kitchen when Spike came in, trailed out into the great room to see what was going on.

“Oil stains!” Buffy exclaimed. “Is she serious? It’s a driveway, for God's sake! Our mailbox?! Our mail won’t fit in one of those little boxes! And what difference do weeds make? They’re well-fed, watered, and green! We keep them mowed – they look like grass! PAINT? There’s nothing wrong with the paint!” Buffy ranted as she looked over the papers.

She looked up and met Spike’s eyes. “Maybe, just this once, we could make an exception to the no slaying humans rule.”



Spike brightened. “Brilliant! I was thinkin’, we could crash a plane into ‘er house … make it look like a freak accident.”

Buffy’s brows went up. “Oooo … how big a plane do you think we’d need?”

Spike shrugged. “Not too big – we’ll put some explosives in it for good measure.”

“Not too many,” Buffy warned. “We don’t want to blow our house up too.”

“Right …” Spike agreed, thinking. “Do we have any Slayers that have worked with explosives that we could … you know … get to help?”

Buffy furrowed her brow in thought.

“What happened to ‘Sticks and Stones’?” Billy asked, looking up at Spike thoughtfully, his head tilted to one side. The skin around the boy’s eye was now a deep, angry purple, although it wasn’t as swollen as it had been the previous night.


Spike blanched, the excitement fading from his features.

Buffy sighed. “We were just kidding,” she assured their son, tousling his curls which bounced nearly to his shoulders.



Spike raised his brows. He wasn’t kidding a bit! There was not one molecule of kidding, not one tiny atom, not one speck of infinitesimal DNA in him that was kidding. “Yeah … right … kidding,” he stammered out reluctantly.

“C’mon,” Buffy called to the kids. “We’re gonna be late for the bus.”

Buffy handed the yellow papers back to Spike as she shepherded Annie, Dani, and Billy out the front door. Annie hated to go – she wanted to spend the day with Dawn again – but she’d missed two days already; she’d have to settle for spending the afternoon and evening with her.

Spike sighed as he looked down at their violations. He really wanted to hit something and apparently that something couldn’t be the demon-woman next door.

“Feel like a little sparring session?” Dawn asked him, pulling him from his thoughts. “I’ve never gotten to spar against a real vampire before.”

Spike looked up at her and a small smile quirked his lips. “Sounds brilliant.”

**~**

By the time the kids got home from school, Spike had a plan for dealing with SHRUG. It was a good plan … and he hadn’t even gotten bored yet. He hoped that his plan would send Lady Macbeth running in repulsion, never to return, or simply keel her over dead where she stood. He wasn’t sure Buffy would support his plan, but, as chance had it, she and MacKenzie had a wellness checkup today. What she wasn’t there to stop wouldn’t hurt him … until later. Then it would be too late to stop, anyway.

“C’mon! We got work t’ do!” he encouraged Dani, Billy, and JJ excitedly as they got off the bus. Annie was already there waiting with Spike since her bus arrived first.

“What are we doing?” Dani asked, eyes bright, her long, blonde ponytail whipping jovially behind her as she hurried with her brother and cousin to catch up to Annie and Spike.

“Painting the house,” he told them, an evil gleam in his eyes.

“What?” they all asked at once, their expressions turning gloomy.

“Painting the house,” Spike repeated. “It’s gonna be brilliant fun,” he assured them as they walked briskly down the sidewalk, following in his wake. They looked unconvinced.

When the small army of painters got home, Spike and his accomplice, Dawn, already had drop-cloths draped over all the shrubs and the walkways at the front of the house and all the windows covered with plastic. Spike was sure that Bess would’ve been happy to help with his plan too, but she was at Troy’s, a place she’d been spending more and more time lately. It was probably just as well since, with only one Gem, she wouldn’t have been able to join them in the sun.

On the front lawn were several buckets of house paint and a large collection of brushes and rollers. He actually had more painting tools than he had painters. In addition to the normal painting implements, there were also mops and long-handled scrub-brushes, several large water guns, and even more paintball guns, leftovers from the Slayer Olympics.

“Right then,” he began eagerly. “You lot go change into something that can be tossed out without your mum caring, yeah? We’ll have everything ready when you get back down here.”

The kids looked dubious, but headed inside to change.

“Hats!” Dawn called after them. “Wear hats too!”

A few minutes later, the Weckerly clan plus JJ, but minus Buffy and ‘Kenzie, was assembled in their oldest, rattiest clothes on the front lawn. They all had on some type of hat or do-rag covering their hair, too.

“Right,” Spike began, standing in front of them like a drill sergeant addressing new recruits. “Here’s what we’re doing: pick a color, pick a weapon, attack.”

The kids looked at the now-open buckets of paint. There was royal blue, canary yellow, Kelly green, candy-apple red, cotton-candy pink, and sugar-plum purple.

“If ya don’t see the color ya want – mix your own,” Spike continued, waving a hand at some empty buckets and roller trays. “Paint with one color for five minutes, then switch to something else. You lot do the bottom half, I’ll work on the top.”


“But …” Annie stammered, looking at the colors in disbelief. “What are we supposed to be painting?”

Spike furrowed his brow as if considering this question carefully. “I’m picturing an explosion in a Skittles factory … or what your palm looks like when M&Ms melt in it.”

“Coool,” Dani declared excitedly, heading over to pick up one of the water guns that was obviously filled with red paint.

“B-but, Dad … I don’t think …” Annie continued, looking worried. “… Mom might not … like living in a Skittles factory.”

Spike shrugged. “That’s why were only painting my half o’ the house – she can paint her half how she wants.”

Annie remained unconvinced. “And your half is … the front?”

“Bloody right – she can have the back … I’ll even toss in both sides. Hurry up now – got a lot a’ wall to cover before your mum gets home. Chop, chop!” he encouraged them, clapping his hands sharply.



Billy, Dani, and JJ dove in, each picking up one of the large water guns and aiming them at the house. They pumped them up and pulled the triggers, spraying the house in waves of color. Blue, red, and yellow splattered on the wall and ran down in rivulets, mixing with the other colors and giving the impression that a rainbow had puked on the house.

Dawn hurried after them with a wide, dry brush, smoothing out the runs and blending the colors to create thousands of shades of purple, orange, and green.

The younger kids squealed in delight as they sprayed the white walls with their guns, crisscrossing each other’s streams of paint to create whirls and looping patterns of bright colors on the wall. Dawn worked to keep up with them, trying to keep the runs from setting, and blending the colors until no white remained at all.

“Ummm…” Annie said to Dawn as her father climbed up a tall ladder and began his own version of the same thing up higher. “I don’t think this is such a good idea.”

Dawn laughed. “Of course it’s not! It’s Spike’s idea! What do you expect? It’s completely crazy and will send Buffy into a conniption fit to end all fits. It’s absolutely insane.”

Annie frowned. “So … why are you helping him?”

“Because it’s fun! And look! Isn’t it pretty? It’s like a tie-dye house! It’s totally retro! How cool is that?” Dawn explained, still laughing. “It’s like, totally groovy, man,” Dawn said in her best stoner voice.

“Mom is going to kill us,” Annie murmured, looking at the wall as the younger kids each went and got paintball guns and began firing them at the wall, leaving random patterns of splattered color atop the waves and swirls that were already there.

“She can’t,” Dawn assured her. “It’s a whole Slayer thing – she can’t kill humans.”

 “There are worse things than death,” Annie scoffed, wincing at the bright colors that the younger kids were shooting on the wall.

“Ahhh, the voice of reason.” Dawn put her arm over Annie’s shoulders and began walking her towards the buckets of paint. “Do you think your dad’s crazy?” Dawn asked her.

“Definitely.”

“What about your mom … does Buffy ever do anything crazy?”

“Yeah … sometimes.”

“And yet, they still manage to save the world pretty regularly and keep you kids safe and happy, put a roof over your heads and food on the table. They aren’t crazy … they’re passionate. They’re passionate about what they love and what they believe in. They jump into things with both feet and then figure out how to swim.

“Spike really wants to kill that Katz woman … I mean he really does – as in six-feet-under, dead as a doorknob. In his mind, she’s crossed the line from an annoyance to a threat. You may not have noticed, but Spike really hates people telling him what to do and how to live.”

Annie rolled her eyes. She’d noticed.

“That goes double for people like her,” Dawn continued. “People who have no idea what you guys have been through to make this world safe so she can shove her ideas down everyone’s throat.

“This is his way of letting that out. This is his way of taking control back. He knows he can’t actually kill her … but he can annoy the living shit out of her,” Dawn explained.

“Annie, believe me when I say that I take my responsibilities seriously and so do your parents, but there are times when you just have to color outside the lines ... literally. If you don’t learn anything else from your parents, learn to live passionately. Jump in with both feet and live life on your terms, by your rules. March to your own drummer, not someone else’s ... even if your drum is actually a screaming, Hendrix-esk, electric guitar.”

Annie looked at the Skittles-colored house and sighed. “I hope Dad can learn to swim really fast when Mom gets home … otherwise we’re all gonna drown in really deep shit.”

Dawn laughed and handed Annie a paint brush. “I’ve seen Spike talk his way out of worse than this. Fortune favors the brave.”

Annie sighed and nodded as she dipped her brush in the pink paint and flung it at the wall.

**~**

“Dad!!” Annie called when she saw the Blue Bomber turn the corner at the end of the block. “Mom’s almost here!”

“Right! Off ya go then. Into the house with ya! Dawn, help ‘em get cleaned up,” Spike called down from his perch on the ladder above them.

“Okay,” Dawn agreed, urging the painters to put down their weapons and ushering them into the house.

Spike finished what he’d been doing and climbed down. He backed up to survey their handiwork. The bottom of the house, up about ten feet or so, looked just like what he’d told the kids he wanted: a Skittles factory explosion. It was a rainbow of colors in random patterns. If you stared at it too long your head would start spinning. It was perfect.

He couldn’t really duplicate the tie-dye rainbow effect up above, since it was just him working up there. So, what he did was create the illusion of bubbles of color floating up out of the mishmash down below. Large round orbs of color seemed to be lifting up out of the mixture at the bottom, heading towards the heavens. It was actually a pretty cool effect, if he did say so himself. He’d even managed to give the bubbles a three-dimensional look with some subtle shading and adding a light reflection illusion to them, as if the sun was glinting off the orbs.



“Oh. My. God,” came Buffy’s voice from behind him a moment later. He heard MacKenzie’s carrier hit the sidewalk, perhaps a little harder than needed. The baby let out a small squeal of protest, but Buffy didn't even hear her – the Slayer's brain had started to fry and sizzle from the vision before her. “What the hell have you done, Spike?”



Spike turned around, feeling resolutely satisfied. “Painted the bloody house, as instructed.”

Buffy’s mouth hung open as she looked at the front of the mansion. It had been white when she left. Sedate. Conservative. Unobtrusive. It was no longer any of those things. “Painted the house…” she repeated, trying to process it.

Her mouth opened and closed a few times, trying to find words. “Did you think maybe I would’ve liked a voice in the color scheme?” she asked finally.

“Saved the back for you pet … and the sides. I only want the front … you can have all the rest,” he offered sincerely.

“Oh … well … in that case,” she began, shrugging nonchalantly. Her voice sounded accepting … momentarily, at least. “In that case I won’t stake you! I’ll just flay you and let red ants clean the flesh off your bones! Are you out of your ever-loving mind, Spike? What is this? It looks like a giant box of crayons pooped on our house!"

“Brilliant, yeah?” Spike beamed, ignoring her threat and her not-so-polite description of their craftsmanship.

“Brilliant?! BRILLIANT? No … NOT brilliant! It’s … the complete opposite of brilliant. It’s un-brilliant! Dis-brilliant! Non-brilliant! Brilliant-less," she ranted, her hands clenching into fists.

“I am sooo gonna…” Buffy began, her voice a low, threatening snarl, but she was cut off by a high-pitched scream of utter horror coming from behind her.


She spun around to see Mrs. Katz staring wide-eyed and gape-mouthed at the house. The Quidnuncious demon’s face was frozen in a mask of terror, her chest heaving as she began to hyperventilate.



Spike smirked and sauntered up the walk towards her, passing Buffy as he went. He pulled one of the canary-yellow official notices out of his pocket as he walked. When he reached where she stood, her pink, fuzzy slippers apparently glued to the sidewalk, he extended the paper out towards her, taking care to keep upwind of her haze of noxious perfume.

“House freshly painted, as per your request,” he announced to her in a friendly tone.

Mrs. Katz finally dragged her eyes from the multi-colored hodgepodge of shapes that covered the front of the mansion and looked at Spike. “I … paint … not … code…” she stammered out.

“Had my … sister-in-law check online for the SHRUG codes for house paintin’,” Spike explained, still holding the paper out towards the woman. “Says the 'trim and door must be in neutral tones: white, off-white, sandstone, cream, gray, tan, or taupe' … don’t say a bloody word ‘bout the walls. You’ll notice the doors and trim are white. It’s all perfectly legal … per your codes.”

“I … uhhhh …” Mrs. Katz stuttered, her breathing becoming even more rapid and shallow.


“Want t’ thank you for pointing out that we needed t’ update the look. I think it really makes a statement, don’t you? I was going for ‘Fornicating M&Ms’ or ‘Orgasmic Rainbow’ … but I think we’ve captured ‘Sixty’s Free-love Hippie Commune’ instead. Bloody brilliant you are, suggestin’ it.



“If you need help with your house, you just let me know. Got a bloody amazing system worked out. We can have that boring sandstone you got replaced in a jiff. You’ll have to wait though, ‘cos Syd and Ted want us to do theirs next. They were thinking o’ something in pinks and purples with big lime-green pentagrams instead of bubbles. Reckon within a week, we’ll have the whole bloody neighborhood done.”

“Whole … neighborhood?” Mrs. Katz stammered, trying to find air. “I … you … can’t be … serious.”

Spike gave her his most charming smile – the one that he used to sell ice-makers to Eskimos. “As a bloody heart attack.”

“But … but …” she continued to stammer, her chest heaving faster as her panic rose.

Spike pulled all the citations she’d given him that morning out of his back pocket. His smile faded and his voice became low and deadly. “Drop SHRUG. We were doing perfectly fine ‘ere without it. This ain't 1984 and we don’t need Big Brother butting into people’s lives. Drop it or every house on this bloody street will look like that,” he threatened, waving a hand at the mansion.

Mrs. Katz looked from Spike, to the house, to the papers he was holding out towards her. Her eyes drifted back to the psychedelic house and, after a few seconds, she began to feel dizzy and disoriented from looking at it. It seemed like the colorful bubbles floating up past the second-story windows were bursting and releasing pure THC into the air she was gulping down.  

She looked back at Spike; his face, hair, and clothes were covered in what seemed to be hundreds of colors of paint. She briefly considered changing SHRUG’s code, taking that loophole about house-color out. As Mrs. Katz looked at him, she thought she saw his eyes flash yellow, feral, and dangerous. She recoiled, inhaled sharply, and blinked several times; when she looked again his eyes were blue. The Quidnuncious demon reconsidered.

She snatched the papers from him with a quavering hand. “There is something very wrong with you people,” she informed him in a shaking, shrill voice. With considerable effort of will, she pulled her feet free from the glue that had been holding her in place on the sidewalk, and scampered off towards home.

“Bloody right there is,” he agreed as he watched her flee like a lamb running away from the big, bad wolf.


Spike turned back towards Buffy with a victorious smirk. “Who’s bloody brilliant now?”



Buffy laughed, rolled her eyes, and shook her head in disbelief. “My hero,” she sighed, walking up and wrapping her arms around his neck. Within a moment the pair was swamped with multi-colored, paint-spattered munchkins, all hugging their parents and laughing. The kids hadn’t fled upstairs to clean up, but waited and watched nervously from the front window.

Buffy lifted her gaze up to the house, then looked back at her husband. “‘A Sixty’s Free-love Hippie Commune’, huh? It’s kinda growing on me … especially the gaa-rooo-vy ‘free-love’ part.”

Buffy rose up and dropped a kiss on Spike’s lips as the kids cheered and hugged them tighter.

Fortune favors the brave.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Fortune Favors the Brave from Aida sung by Adam Pascal on YouTube  }}

Oh, fortune favors the brave
Oh, fortune favors the brave

We have swept to glory
Egypt's mastery expands
From the Nile's northern delta
To the dry, dry southern sands
The more we find, the more we see
The more we come to learn
The more that we explore
The more we shall return

Oh, fortune favors the brave

It's all worked out, my road is clear
And I'm delighted to an extent
Way beyond my wildest dreams
Towards some great triumphant end
We seize the day
We turned the tide
We touched the stars
We marked the claim
We moved into uncharted lands
Fortune favors the brave

The more we find
The more we see
The more we come to learn
The more that we explore
The more we shall return

Nothing is an accident
We are free to have it all
We are what we want to be
It's in ourselves to rise or fall

This is easy to believe
When distant places call to me
It's harder from the palace yard
Fortune favors the free
Fortune favors the young
Fortune favors the brave
End Notes:
This chapter has turned into one of my very favorites. I hope you enjoyed Spike's victory! I think we'll leave the house painted this way for a while, what do you think?

Next: Billy summons his courage once more; will he be rewarded or rebuffed? Buffy and Annie go with Dawn to meet Gertie Greenbriar, the witch who, in the other dimension, helped Dawn master her Key power.
Pale Blue Dot, Part 1 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Billy summons his courage once more; will he be rewarded or rebuffed? Buffy and Annie go to the south of England with Dawn to meet Gertie Greenbriar. There aren't a lot of screencaps in here because Gertie's house and the town she lives near are pure imagination. Oh, bugger! Now I have that Willy Wonka song in my head! Come with me, And you'll be, In a world of Pure Imagination ... I need some chocolate.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading and I apologize right now for the lack of Spike in the next couple of chapters. I will make up for it, I promise!

Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
After dinner the evening of the ‘paint party’, Thursday, September 8th, 2011:

Billy sat as his computer and stared at the blank email screen. The little flashing prompt seemed to be mocking him – laughing at the lack any actual words beyond the ‘To’ and the subject.

From: ScoobyPupBilly@gmail.com
To: SlayerSue-Ann@aol.com
Subject: Hi


It looked lame, even to him.

Sue-Ann had called the previous night, while he was grounded. Buffy wouldn’t let Bess call him to the phone. Grounded means grounded, she’d insisted. Bess hadn’t even told him about it until just after dinner tonight. His heart sank – he’d missed his first chance to talk to Sue-Ann since she’d left. He hadn’t emailed her before, but now he felt like he should do something. What if she thought the grounding was just an excuse? What if she thought he didn’t want to talk to her?

He sighed, leaned back in his chair, and closed his eyes. His stomach was doing that flopping thing again. He felt like he’d swallowed a pound of thumbtacks and they were all trying to escape through his bellybutton. What should he say to her? What if she didn’t really want him to email her at all? What if she’d been glad that he hadn’t gotten on the phone last night? What if she had given him her email just to try and placate him and stop him from crying like a big baby? What if she laughed when she saw it and just deleted it? Or worse, showed it to all her friends and they all laughed.

His dad’s encouraging words flitted through his mind. Stuff about how brave he’d been to chance giving his heart away and how brilliant love was when things worked out. Did his dad really have any idea how it felt to have a pound of thumbtacks doing back-flips in your tummy? Billy couldn’t imagine that he did. How could he? After all, he’d always had Mama.

Billy opened his eyes again and looked at the blinking prompt. Blink, blink, blink … You’re so lame, it seemed to be saying, its tone mocking.

“I am not,” he argued with the computer screen, trying to sound confident. “She said I was her friend and … I’d always be her friend and … something about hen’s teeth. She said to email any ole time and she’d email back, lickety-split.

But if she really wanted to email you, why didn’t she get your email address? the blinking prompt argued back silently.

“Maybe she would’ve if I hadn’t … run away,” Billy countered with a pout.

The blinking prompt seemed to roll its eyes and sigh. If she really wanted your email, she could’ve gotten it from Bess last night, the prompt pointed out.

“Shut up,” Billy told it, narrowing his eyes angrily at the blank screen. His one blackened eye throbbed when he did that – he stopped. “I’m a Scooby pup,” he contended. “I’m brave and … strong and … stuff. Mama says I’m like Papa – and she’s a Slayer. Sue-Ann’s a Slayer too … so, if I’m like Papa, then … I just have to do what he would do,” Billy reasoned, still talking to the silently mocking computer. “What would he do?”

Send ten thousand emails and fill up her inbox, the blinking prompt offered helpfully.

“Yeah, but he said to just send one … so … it needs to be really good,” Billy insisted. “Like … a poem or something from Shakespeare,” he suggested aloud, looking at the books on his bookshelves. He didn’t have any Shakespeare, but he knew there was one downstairs.

Too uppity, the prompt advised. What if she doesn’t read Shakespeare? She might think you’re snooty.

“I could write her a poem then,” Billy suggested and began to type:
 
‘Your brown eyes are sweet,
like chocolate kisses.
Your hair is soft,
and smells so delicious.
To see you again,
would be better than Christmas.’

When Billy paused, the blinking prompt began to gag and choke. What are you trying to do, make her throw up? it asked Billy.

Billy sighed and hit the ‘back-space’ key a bunch of times until the screen was blank again. “Fine … no poetry.” He pursed his lips and moved them from side to side as he thought. “Maybe a quote from Star Wars … just … casual, like Papa said.”

You’ve already done all the good quotes from Star Wars when she was here. You don’t want to bore her to death.

“Right. A different series then … Harry Potter or … Lord of the Rings,” he suggested, then typed: ‘Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also,’ from ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’.

Too gooey and abstract … what does that really mean, anyway? the blinking cursor complained, although it didn’t retch like it had at the poem.

“Fine…” Billy sighed and changed it to one of his favorite humorous lines from ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince’: ‘There's no need to call me sir, Professor.’



He waited. The cursor just blinked at him – it didn’t make any more snide remarks. Billy smiled to himself and changed the subject of the email to: ‘Bet you don’t know this one.’

He stared at it for a few more minutes, waiting for the mocking prompt to come up with something derogatory, but it stayed silent. He nodded to himself – it was casual, like Papa had advised … and, if she remembered the line, it would make her laugh. If she didn’t remember the line, then it would drive her crazy and make her think about Billy the whole time she tried to remember what it was from. It was a win-win.

Billy suddenly noticed that the thumbtacks in his stomach had settled down and had stopped doing gymnastics routines. Billy’s smile widened and he clicked ‘send’. Now, he just had to wait and see if she would really reply. Just how long was a ‘lickety-split’, anyway?

He’d just gotten up from the computer when the email notification binged at him. It couldn’t be …

He sat back down and looked – it was! It was from Sue-Ann! His brow furrowed though, it wasn’t a reply to his email … unless she’d changed the subject. As he opened it, the nervous back-flips began in his stomach again.

From: SlayerSue-Ann@aol.com
To: ScoobyPupBilly@gmail.com
Subject: You’ll never get this one!

‘There's no need to call me sir, Professor.’


She’d sent him the exact same email – the exact same line, from the exact same movie, and at the exact same time! The thumbtacks turned into fairy wings, and Billy felt his heart flutter with giddy laughter.

**~**

Next day, Friday, September 9th, 2011, mid-morning:

Buffy gave Spike one last kiss, promising to be back soon, before stepping through the open portal, following Dawn and Annie. As she emerged from the white, swirling light of the ethereal doorway, she was met with a chilling wind, which cut through her t-shirt and jeans like a knife. She set her backpack down, quickly pulled on the jacket she had draped over her arm, and looked around. Just one second before she’d been standing in the Hellmouth in Sunnydale, and now she was standing at the center of a ring of giant, prehistoric monoliths: Stonehenge.



Dawn stepped up to the open portal, commanded, “Finivi!” and the wind whipping around the portal died. Then the swirl of glowing, white light slowed, and finally the white light morphed to a sparkling, kelly green. Within a few moments, the amulet around her neck seemed to suck the green light back from the portal like a vacuum cleaner, closing the portal.

Annie and Buffy watched in awe. One moment there had been a doorway to Sunnydale there, and now there was nothing but thin, cold air. Dawn had opened … no, strike that, she had created a doorway using the mystical energy that linked the Hellmouth in Sunnydale to Stonehenge along the earth’s ley lines. They had taken a single step and traveled thousands and thousands of miles. It was like magic, perhaps it was actual magic. Although it was the only magic that Dawn could do, it was a pretty good trick.

“This way,” Dawn called to Buffy and Annie as she started for a black sedan that waited not far away.

Annie looked around wide-eyed. She didn't want to leave the prehistoric monument quite so soon, but this trip wasn’t about seeing Stonehenge; it was about meeting Gertie Greenbriar. She sighed and fell into step behind Dawn, still looking around as she went, trying to take in as much as she could. Buffy fell into step behind Annie, and they all trudged through the damp grass towards the waiting car.

Dawn would need to be going home soon, so, even though it was a school day, Buffy and Spike allowed Annie to skip once again – it wasn’t like she couldn’t make up the assignments. Before she’d come back with Spike and Xander, Dawn had called Giles and told him she’d be gone a ‘few days’. She didn’t want to go back so soon, she loved the feeling of being part of a real family, loved spending time with Buffy and Spike and all the kids, but she didn’t want to worry Giles either. She’d told Spike and Buffy that she needed to go back Sunday, so if they were going to meet Gertie, they needed to get on with it.

The driver of the car, a twenty-something, average-looking man with sandy, wind-swept hair, got out of the hired limo and opened the trunk of the car as they approached. The three travelers handed their backpacks to him and he settled the bags in the trunk while they opened the back doors of the car and climbed in. He gave them speculative glances as they clambered into the back of the car, but had been in the limo business long enough to know that you didn’t ask questions of your fares … like what they were doing out here, basically in the middle of nowhere, without transportation.

When the man settled in behind the wheel, Dawn leaned over the front seat and confirmed what she’d told the company over the phone when she’d hired the car the previous day. She went over where they were going with the driver and the most direct route to take, and he agreed, speaking in a thick, working-class London accent that mimicked Spike’s. With that handled, she settled into the backseat of the car with Buffy and Annie. It wasn’t a large stretch-type limo, simply an E-class Mercedes sedan, but it was plenty large for the three of them to fit comfortably in the back.

“It’ll take a couple of hours to get there. We can stop in West Lulworth at the Dandelion Bistro for lunch before going to Gertie’s. Their beer-battered fish and fat chips are to die for,” Dawn told them.

“Do you always plan your trips around where to eat?” Buffy wondered.

“Well, duh!” Dawn replied, laughing. “Gotta keep up my strength, ya know. All that heavy lifting really takes it out of a girl.”



“Where does Gertie actually live?” Annie wondered as she watched the large rocks of Stonehenge fading from view behind them.

“She has a cottage on the south coast. It’s … out of town,” Dawn hedged.

“And she doesn’t have a phone?” Buffy asked for possibly the hundredth time since they’d began talking about this plan two nights ago. “Wouldn’t this have been better if you could’ve talked to her first and … explained things a little more clearly before we just showed up on her doorstep?”

Dawn shook her head. “No phone. Her electricity comes from a windmill, so does her running water. She’s very … out of town. It doesn’t matter that she doesn’t know us. Trust me; Gertie’s never met a stranger.

“I got a message to her that a Slayer, her sister, and her daughter would be coming today for a visit. That alone was a monumental effort. I had to call the Coven, who called one of her neighbors, who contacted her on the short-wave. There’s no way to go into more detail than that when you’re going through three people,” Dawn explained.

“And there’s nothing else you can tell us about her?” Buffy asked, slightly suspicious.



Dawn chuckled a little and shook her head. “Gertie must be experienced to be appreciated. Plus, she needs to get a true reading off you. If I told you more about her, it would taint your expectations and she’d be less likely to open up with us. She’s very intuitive … maybe empathic. You really need to go in as a blank-slate … or as blank as you can get. It’s better that way – she can feel the real you that way.”

“What if she doesn’t like the real us?” Annie asked, worried.

Dawn smiled reassuringly. “She will.”

**~**

The drive to the coast was filled with endless views of fields, farms, and forests. Lots and lots and lots of them. There seemed to be every shade of green ever imagined spread out across the land, from deep-dark forests to the bright, fresh green of winter rye just sprouting in the fields. Interspersed in the emerald landscape were towns, large and small, quaint and modern, but mostly there were just endless fields of rolling hills, some dotted with sheep, some with horses, some with cows.

The driver dropped them off at the Dandelion Bistro in West Lulworth, and agreed to pick them up in about an hour and an half. Thankfully, it was past lunch hour and the restaurant wasn’t too busy. They were able to get a table and had a fine meal of beer-battered fish and fat chips, although Dawn refused to allow Buffy to even ask for ketchup or tartar sauce. Dawn sounded very much like Spike as she pointed out that this was not McDonalds and all that was required was salt and vinegar. Sigh.



After dining at the bistro, the girls took a little time to walk down to the cliffs and marvel at Lulworth Cove, a breathtaking natural wonder on the south coast, formed over millennia by the erosion caused by waves and glacial runoff.

“There are other awesome things to see around here too,” Dawn told them. “It’s called the Jurassic Coast, and there are all sorts of rock formations, like the Durdle Door, which is this giant natural arch on the beach, plus caves and rock stacks. They’ve found tons of fossils here … I don’t remember what all, but the cliffs span the Mesozoic Era. It’s like a geological dig, only it’s already mostly dug out for you by the sea and rain runoff.”

“Troy would really love this,” Annie observed as she picked up a rock off the path they’d walked down. She was amazed to see the impression of some long dead creature or plant on the smooth face of the rock. She put it in her pocket to show Troy later.



Buffy nodded her agreement. Standing atop the high cliffs, looking out over the water made her feel very small in comparison. She’d spent so much time in Sunnydale sometimes she forgot how big the world really was. Except for the five years she’d spent traveling alone, hunting Vengeance Demons in the Wish World, she’d spent her entire adult life living in Sunnydale. They really needed to start going on more trips as a family. She’d never even seen the Grand Canyon in person. That was just wrong.

**~**

Despite the chilly fall air, the women rolled the windows down as their driver – his name was Jeremy, they now knew – wound the car along the narrow road. Annie let the air brush against her face as she breathed in the English countryside – it also helped with the car-sickness she was starting to feel from the winding road. They’d back-tracked a bit away from the coast – there was no coast road here like they had in California – and were back in the middle of the emerald-green fields of Dorset.

She was nervous about meeting Gertie and her trepidation made the beer-battered fish feel like it had come back to life in her stomach. It started flopping around in there … trying to get away, trying to jump back into the sea. What if she couldn’t do what Dawn could do? What if she couldn’t ‘get’ what Gertie was trying to teach her? What if she never could figure out what crystals were ‘in tune’ with her chakras? What if she didn't even have chakras to tune in to? What if the witch didn’t even like her enough to try and teach her?  
 
Annie took a deep breath of the fresh air and tried to calm down. She’d been so happy to find out that there was another person in the universe like her – another Key – but now, she wasn’t so sure that was a good thing. Annie wasn’t the only freak the monks had made, but now there was someone to be held up and compared to – what if she didn’t stack up?

She kept her eyes trained on the countryside as it sped by. There were fewer and fewer houses the further they went – there were even fewer sheep an cows, it seemed. Then suddenly, they came to a town, of sorts. There was no warning, no ‘outskirts’, no cheap motels or seedy bars announcing its presence. One moment there were only fields and the next, just as you crested the rise of a hill, there was a town. The sign near the road read:

Welcome to Space Station Earth!
~ Leave no trace ~
T – 2 – T



As they drew closer, it became clear that the sign had been fashioned out of empty two-liter, plastic soda bottles which had then been somehow strung together and then painted in bright colors. Beneath the words the (apparently) universal recycling symbol had been painted. Annie knew what it was because it looked like the stencil on the blue bins that sat unused in the garage at home: three green arrows going in a circle around a blue earth.

“What does that mean?” Annie asked, pointing at the sign. “T-2-T?”

“Trash to treasure,” Dawn explained. “It’s actually the official name of the town now: T-2-T. It’s a community of Earth-friendly artists and craftsmen. They repurpose things that people throw away and basically turn garbage into works of art … turn trash into treasure.”

“Huh…” Annie mused as they made their way down the main … and pretty much only, street. Being Saturday, there were quite a few people on the sidewalks, walking from one building to the next. “It looks like that craft fair we went to with Willow and Tara that time in Portland,” Annie mused.

As they drove slowly through the town, Annie saw what Dawn was talking about in the items displayed in the shop windows and on the sidewalk itself. She saw wreaths made out of colorful, old china plates and saucers arranged in a circle and apparently glued to some sort of frame. There was a coat and hat rack that used mismatched, women’s high-heeled shoes as the ‘pegs’, and a giant butterfly made out of pieces of trim and picture frames, and had what looked like a banister or table leg for the body.



“The buildings were actually an old army complex of some kind,” Dawn continued to explain. “It was built after World War II as some kind of early warning station for a nuclear attack. The artists live upstairs and display their stuff for sale downstairs and on the sidewalks. Mostly they’re just open on the weekends and holidays,” Dawn continued as Annie watched the treasures pass by. “People come from all over to browse and buy stuff. Some of the more popular artists have gotten commissions from different towns, mostly to promote recycling.”

“So, is this where Gertie lives?” Annie wondered as they passed a shop that offered wall-hangings made out of old wooden window frames and shutters – some painted in bright colors, some looking deliberately old and distressed.

“No … not exactly, although this is where her friend with the short-wave radio is. She lives … out of town,” Dawn explained.

After they left the small town of artists, the GPS on the dash gave up trying to tell Jeremy where to go – it had no idea where they were. After driving another fifteen minutes or so, and at Dawn’s urging, Jeremy turned onto a small dirt track, which looked more like a walk or bike path than a road. The going was slow as he tried to avoid dropping the tires into deep, rain-washed gulleys in the ‘road’ and scraping the undercarriage of the luxury car on the rocky terrain.



After what seemed an eternity, they emerged from a stand of evergreen trees and were met with nothing but blue. A horizon of blue sky and blue water seemed to merge right in front of them. The dirt track turned sharply left just before the cliffs. If you happened to miss the turn, it would really ruin your day. After turning, they serpentined around boulders and rock out-croppings until the trail stopped in front of a house that seemed to be built directly into the side of a cliff.

“This is it,” Dawn announced as she opened the door and stepped out of the car. “Jeremy, we’ll need you to wait … or you could go back to T-2-T and come back in about, ummm … maybe three hours or so.”

The driver shrugged. “Go’ no problem waitin’, miss,” he replied as he got out and retrieved their backpacks from the trunk.

Annie got out and surveyed the scene as she took her pack from Jeremy.

To the south was the sea … or ocean … or maybe it was the English Channel, she wasn’t really sure – it was water and seemed to go on forever. The cliffs were steep and straight down – there was no access to the water here, no beach, like there at been at Lulworth Cove … unless you wanted to repel down like 007 or something.

To the north there was another cliff jutting up towards the sky. Back where they’d come down on the dirt path it had been little more than a small rise, but here it was steep and tall. Between the drop-off to the sea and the white cliff-face that rose up like a wall, was a flat area just wide enough for a modest house to perch … perhaps forty or fifty feet wide.

At first glance, the house itself looked like it had been carved into the cliff at its back, but upon closer inspection, Annie could see seams where large, white limestone blocks had been stacked one upon the other to make the walls. It looked like the same builder that had built the great pyramids had made it; stone on stone, perfectly fitted one to the next with no mortar visible, at least from a distance.  It was square and blocky and cold-looking – like a cell block or maybe a square igloo.

A rough-hewn, tall, wooden door was set into the center of the block wall, and narrow windows lined the very top of what must’ve been the second story. There were no windows down lower at all. It would’ve looked uninviting if not for the garden that spread out in front of it.

A footpath to the front door passed under an archway that was set into a short, stacked-rock wall that framed the front garden. On the outside of the rough wall grew evening primrose. The yellow flowers danced in the breeze, which spread their sweet fragrance out across the narrow expanse of flat ground between the sea and the cliff. The path was paved with flat, irregularly-shaped pieces of the same smooth limestone that the house was made of. It was lined on either side with aromatic, English lavender plants, all sporting deep-purple spikes of flowers above the green foliage.  The trellised archway was covered in rose vines. Delicate-looking, fragrant, pink roses hung in clusters from the brambles and formed a roof over the entryway. The whole effect drew you in. The colors, the textures, the fragrances, and the dancing, smiling flowers seemed to say ‘Welcome’ without words.



On the other side of the house, the top of a windmill could be seen spinning in the sea-breeze: Gertie’s electric generator and water pump. From where she stood, Annie couldn’t see anything else that might be on the other side of the house, like perhaps more gardens. She could see no way to get to the other side except to go through the limestone structure. The back of the house was flat against the cliff; the front of the house actually jutted out about three feet past the sheer drop-off that plunged into the sea. It looked at once precariously perched and unmovable. It seemed like a good storm could crumble it into the sea but also looked like it had been there a thousand years and would be there a thousand more.

The strangely contradictory house, at once cold but inviting, fragile and permanent, did nothing to ease Annie’s nerves. If anything, it unsettled her more. What type of person would live here, so far from anything, and in such a harsh, possibly dangerous, place?

As Annie and Buffy followed Dawn up the footpath, the remnants of an obviously well-tended summer garden spread out on the side of the walkway furthest from the sea. The plants were spent, dead or dying, the vegetables nearly all picked. A few small birds fluttered up in surprise as the trio approached, apparently caught helping themselves to whatever had been left by the gardener.

On the sea-side of the footpath, a still-vital herb garden sprawled out against the background of blue sea and sky. Not one inch of space had been wasted, and Annie recognized many of the same plants that she’d seen growing at Willow and Tara’s house. Herbs used for spells grew alongside those for cooking; stinging nettles and thyme rated equal attention and garden space. Some of the herbs were growing in oddly shaped, colorful, clay pots while still other plants were growing in ‘repurposed’ containers: coffee cans, metal desk drawers, soda bottles, teapots, and cracked, bone china tea cups. Annie’s favorite bit, however, was tucked into one corner: a butter-yellow claw-footed bathtub, a baby-blue toilet, and a porcelain pedestal sink in pink. They had all been converted into planters … and the plants seemed perfectly happy with the arrangement. Annie thought of Mrs. Katz, and made a mental note to suggest such re-purposing to her dad when they got home.

Although the combination of disparate items in the garden was odd, it seemed to work. They made the garden look quaint and eclectic and perhaps even a little eccentric – it was impossible not to smile at it. Despite all the repurposing, most of the plants grew directly in the earth. Annie noticed the ground here had been built up with dark, rich, loamy soil, unlike the poor, rocky sandstone that existed on the other side of the short, stone wall.

Dawn reached the large door and picked up what seemed to be an overly-large, round, iron knocker and let it fall once. Annie tried to swallow back her nerves and assure herself that Dawn wouldn’t have brought them here if she didn’t think Gertie would be welcoming. But, as she looked around at the lonely landscape, she had to wonder again who, other than a crazy hermit woman, possibly one with a hundred cats, would live here?

The wait for the door to open seemed interminable to Annie, but Dawn didn’t knock again: she just waited patiently, as if this was an old habit. The only sound was the unending crash of waves on the rocks far below them. It was hypnotic if you concentrated on it; you could almost feel the ocean ebb and flow just from the sound.

Annie had no idea what to expect – Dawn had given them no clues – so, to say the woman that opened the door wasn’t what she expected would be silly, but it was true.

Even though Dawn was as tall as Spike, this woman made her look short in comparison. Annie guessed that Gertie must be six feet tall. She had a willowy build – thin and straight, like a reed, but not frail.  She made Buffy, even with the weight she’d lost over the summer, look like a buxom, curvaceous vixen in comparison. It was like Olive Oyl meeting Jessica Rabbit. On some women, the lack of curves would’ve been boyish; on Gertie it seemed more fairy-like … like Tinker Bell or Titania.

Gertie wore a light-blue, sleeveless, gauzy dress with a v-neck. The hem fell just above her knees and was trimmed with crocheted fringe in midnight blue. Around her shoulders was a shawl to ward off the cool fall air. It matched the fringe: intricately crocheted and midnight blue. A colorful, beaded belt was tied loosely around her middle; it only served to accentuate her waif-like waist. Her feet were bare; her toenails unpainted. The woman’s legs and arms seemed incredibly long, but they weren’t emaciated – in fact, from what Annie could see they looked strong and lithe. She had rings, mostly silver with a few sparkling gems, on all ten fingers and two of her toes. She had an amethyst crystal necklace and matching long, dangling earrings. Her left wrist sported more silver bangle bracelets than Annie could easily count, and her right wrist was encircled in a multi-colored hemp bracelet with some sort of shimmering beads interspersed along its length.





The woman’s neck was long, like the rest of her, and it made Annie think of a swan. Her face formed a perfect oval; her features were delicate and held no makeup at all. Her skin was pale, creamy-white, and flawless, like that of a porcelain doll. Her cheeks were tinged in pink, as if they’d been kissed lightly by the sun; from working in the garden, Annie figured. She was attractive, Annie decided – not a Cover Girl, but pretty enough ... until you got to her eyes. Her eyes were extraordinary. Her eyes drew you in; they were eyes that inspired poets to write epics and artists to paint masterpieces.

Shaped like almonds, Gertie’s eyes seemed slightly too large for her thin face. At first Annie thought her irises were the color of green shamrocks flecked with pale lilac, but when the witch shifted her gaze from Dawn to Buffy, the color changed. Annie thought that her eyes were reflecting the colors around her – but neither Dawn nor Buffy were wearing green. Now that Gertie was focused on Buffy, her eyes appeared to be the color of plums: a deep, rich purple, but still flecked with pale lilac.

Dawn and Buffy were talking to the willowy woman now, but Annie was only half-listening as she studied the woman standing in the doorway. She momentarily gave up trying to figure out what color the witch’s eyes were and continued her perusal.

Gertie’s hair was long – waist-length – thick, perfectly straight, and the color of platinum. It was not platinum-blonde like her dad’s; not bleached or peroxided, or even the natural towheaded blonde of the twins. Gertie’s hair was pure silver-white: the true color of the precious metal platinum. It was parted in the middle and flowed down her back and over her shoulders like a sheet of liquid, pearlescent satin. It shone in the sunlight and, like her eyes, seemed to pick up color from things around her.

There were no deviations in the color from top to bottom, but Annie was sure it was natural … for the most part. The part that Annie hoped was not natural were the three pink streaks, each about half an inch wide, that began at Gertie’s center part at the top of her head and flowed all the way down the considerable length of her mane – two on her left side and one on the right.

Annie tried to judge how old Gertie was, but was once again conflicted. The white hair seemed to suggest that she must be old, but her face was smooth and bore no wrinkles. The pink in her hair made Annie think she might be fairly young, but the set of her shoulders gave her an air of confidence and poise that wasn’t often seen in very young people. Annie guessed she could be anywhere from twenty to … fifty. She couldn’t narrow it down any further than that.

When Gertie’s luminous eyes turned to Annie, the girl froze. Annie could see the color of them now, and it surprised her a bit. They were silver-gray; not quite as dark as storm clouds nor as light as cirrus. The flecks of lilac she’d seen sprinkled about in them remained and gave them a glittering, metallic quality. They seemed to shimmer, like liquid mercury or whatever they used to turn glass into a mirror. Annie had never seen anyone with eyes that color before.

Those mutable eyes seemed to penetrate directly into Annie’s soul. The girl was vaguely aware that someone had asked her a question, but she hadn’t heard what it was or even who had asked; Gertie’s eyes were blocking everything else out. Not even the sound of the ocean reached Annie’s ears for a moment – there was utter silence. She felt like she was inside a bubble or one of those isolation booths they used on game shows, cut off from the world.

Annie shivered. The witch’s eyes felt cold and hard on hers. Like her house, they were stark and uninviting, hard and formidable … but then the woman smiled. The cold suddenly dissipated and a soft zephyr flooded Annie with warmth. The sound came back; the hum of crashing waves lapped gently against Annie’s eardrums, birds chirped somewhere nearby, her mom was telling her to say hello in a tone that Annie knew meant it wasn’t the first time she’d said it.

Gertie’s eyes were no longer cold or stark, but shined with warmth and welcome. They looked green again, like they had when she had been looking at Dawn. There was even a hint of bemusement in the lines that now crinkled softly around their corners. Dimples graced the woman’s cheeks as her smile widened into a toothy grin and showed a small gap between her two front teeth. Completely gone was any hint of starkness or hardness – all that remained was warmth and welcoming.

Annie stepped forward and extended her right hand. “Hi, I’m Annie,” she offered, and Gertie took Annie’s smaller hand in both of hers.

The witch’s hands were large, her fingers thin and long but gentle and friendly. They felt warm on Annie’s hand despite the cool fall air. The bangles on Gertie’s wrist tinkled against each other when she moved, and the rings on her fingers glinted in the sunlight, sending shards of colorful light bouncing around the doorway and over the four women standing there. She gave Annie’s hand a friendly squeeze, then released her hold and swung the door open widely in silent invitation for them to enter.

The inside of Gertie’s house, just like everything else Annie had seen here so far, was a study in contradictions. Unlike the stark, cold exterior, the inside was warm and cozy. The whole first floor was one large room: kitchen in the back against the cliff, and living area in the front, next to the sea. There was a bank of two-story-tall, floor-to-ceiling, curtain-less windows that looked out over the water. Annie hadn’t been able to see these south-facing windows from the west side of the house, which is the direction they’d approached from. There were no lower windows on any of the other walls, just this one, which jutted out over the cliff and the water below. The other walls didn't really need more windows, as these seemed to bring the blue of the sky and water right into the house.

The sun shining in through the wall of glass lit the whole area in a flood of warm, crisp light. The half of the house nearest the sea was open all the way to the ceiling of the second story. There was a spiral staircase off to one side that led to a second-floor balcony, which formed the ceiling over the kitchen. Annie supposed Gertie’s bedroom was up there.

The interior of the house was a smorgasbord for the senses. For the eyes there was a rainbow of colors. There was no ‘color scheme’; it wasn’t all blues or greens or earth tones, but every color in the rainbow graced the textiles, including wall hangings, pillows, and rugs. For the nose there was the aroma of bread baking and incense burning – something spicy and pumpkin-y. Annie thought it smelled like fall and the holidays, and it made a stronger feeling of warmth well up inside her. For the ears the sound of the waves below could still be heard, and some type of Hindi or Asian music played softly in the background. It was relaxing, unusual … very Zen.

For the touch there was a plethora of textures. Giant, rough-hewn wooden posts and beams supported the balcony that was the second floor. A philodendron vine with shiny, unnaturally-large, green leaves flecked with yellow climbed halfway up the center post. The other two posts were wreathed in deep-green English Ivy. There was no doubt the plants were real, not silk or plastic imitations.

There were more plants in colorfully-painted, oddly-shaped pots – the same type of pots Annie had seen outside – on either side of the giant windows. Spider plants hung in baskets from wrought-iron stands, their babies cascading down in graceful arcs. The white, delicate flowers of a Creeping Charlie plant trailed across the floor, the leaves of several prayer plants soaked up the light from the windows, waiting for evening to come when they would fold their speckled hands closed as if in prayer, and African Violets bloomed in profusions of color.



The limestone walls were smooth as marble but much of it was covered with intricately-woven tapestries. Some had a Native American theme, while others appeared Celtic, and still others looked a lot like the front of the mansion had when they’d left: free-form psychedelic.

The furniture, an over-large couch and two arm chairs, all faced the windows and all seemed to be handmade. The sturdy, wooden frames were constructed of gnarled tree branches and sun-bleached driftwood. All were piled deep with soft, quilt-covered pillows, and seemed to call to guests, inviting them to come in and sit a spell. There were more large pillows strewn about on the floor around a low, square, wooden table that looked solid enough to support the weight of a circus elephant.

The floor was paved with the same smooth limestone as the walls, hard and cool underfoot, but there were more hand-woven rugs, like the tapestries on the walls, strewn about, adding interest and warmth. A large, shaggy, oh-so-soft looking rag-rug graced the area in front of the sofa. It made you want to kick your shoes off and curl your toes in its deep pile. The source of the blankets, tapestries, and rugs was tucked away in one corner of the wide-open living area near the kitchen: a hand loom. A partially completed rug or wall hanging was rolled around a large spool at its back.



Along two walls of the kitchen were sturdy wooden shelves going from the floor to the ceiling, which in that area was about twelve feet high as the second story balcony was above it. The shelves were lined with canned goods. Not in cans, mind you … in glass jars. Home-canned goods. On one side of the kitchen the jars held the colorful bounty of the summer garden that now stood brown outside in the cool fall air: yellow squash, green beans, red tomatoes, purple beets, orange carrots. On the other side of the kitchen, the jars were packed with dried herbs, flowers, and roots. Somehow, even the storage of food added to the ambiance of the room. The appliances in the kitchen all seemed to be fairly new and sleek stainless-steel … another texture to add to the contradictions of the interior. The backsplash around the counters, however, appeared to be made from hand-painted ceramic tiles, each featuring a different herb or flower painted on a Baltic blue background. They looked very old.

Annie was just starting to feel more relaxed, as if all the surprises that could hit her had passed, when Gertie began talking. Of course, Gertie had been talking earlier, to Dawn and Buffy, but Annie hadn’t really been listening or paying attention.

“Have a sit down, then,” she offered her guests in a soft, lilting, Irish brogue, waving hand at the couch and chairs. “Fancy a cuppa Rosie? Sorry, don’t have any fizzies, but I’ve got a mineral, if you’d rather.”

Annie just stared at Gertie. What the heck had she just said? Was that actually English? A few words sounded familiar, but they didn’t make any sense. Despite not being able to really comprehend what she’d said, Gertie’s lyrical voice was just another sensory experience to add to the list. Her accent wasn’t thick or hard, but opulent. She spoke with rich, full ‘r’s and lavish vowels that made you want to hear her talk some more. Annie was suddenly sorry she hadn't been listening earlier.

Buffy bit her lip and looked at Dawn for help, wishing Spike had come along to translate … he was so much better with all these foreign languages than Buffy was.

Dawn smiled and nodded as she took a seat on the couch. “Tea would be great, Gertie … with milk and sugar?”

Annie and Buffy nodded their agreement and joined Dawn on the couch.

“Brilliant – jus’ let me wet the tea. Be at home with ya. Have a gander ‘round. View’s bloody brilliant-like,” Gertie offered, waving a hand at the bank of windows. “Can peer righ’ down on the rocks, you can. Like lookin’ inta the Earth’s soul, it is.”

As Gertie headed back towards the kitchen, Dawn motioned with her head at Buffy and Annie. They all three stood up and walked over to the bank of windows. Gertie was right – it was pretty ‘brilliant-like’. Bluish-green water slapped against white rocks that had fallen from the steep cliff face. It splashed and foamed, then momentarily fell back only to surge again. It would’ve been dizzying to stand close enough to the edge to see this view, but behind the glass they could just enjoy the endless rhythm of the sea.

Gertie came back and stood by the window with them as she waited for the water to heat for the tea.

"It’s beautiful,” Buffy offered, giving the witch a smile.



“To be sure, but more than that … spiritual … a sacred balance,” Gertie replied reverently. “Tis where soil, water, and air converge. It’s Mother Earth’s life-force … her synergy. Can ya feel it?” she asked, looking pointedly at Buffy.

Buffy’s eyes went a little wide and she turned back toward the window. “Uhhh … yeah … maybe.”

Gertie smiled patiently. “Ya don’t be tryin’, Buffy. Open your inner eye t’ see what your mortal eyes are blinded to.”

Dawn suppressed a small smile; she’d heard that enough times in her life.

“Right … inner eye,” Buffy mumbled. “I think I saw that on TV once. It’s a third eye in the middle of your forehead, right?” Buffy joked.

Gertie laughed and the sound was almost magical, like choral bells ringing joyfully on a distant moor. “That be for Twilight Zone, I reckon,” she chided Buffy. “For us common folk, it lives here,” Gertie explained, still smiling as she placed a closed fist over her heart. “Close your mortal eyes an’ look from inside yourself … see through the eye o’ wisdom.”

“Right,” Buffy agreed, unsure what else to say. Buffy closed her eyes and took a deep breath just as a kettle began to whistle on the stove. Buffy could feel and hear Gertie move away, and she blew out the breath, then looked at Dawn. “What the hell is she talking about?” she asked her sister in a whisper.



“Intuition … instinct, guts … heart,” Dawn explained. “You really should be able to get it easier than anyone, Buffy. You go by instinct all the time.”

“Yeah, fighting demons,” Buffy hissed, her voice low. “Not feeling … ‘Mother Earth’s synergy’. Seems like an invasion of ole Mom’s privacy to me, anyway. I wouldn’t want anyone feeling up my synergy.”

“Except Spike,” Dawn teased, grinning.

Buffy rolled her eyes and shook her head as she looked back out the window … using just her normal, mortal eyes.

Annie chewed on her bottom lip, worrying it steadily with her teeth. If her mom couldn’t get this, how was she supposed to? Annie closed her eyes and tried to feel the Earth’s synergy – mostly, she just felt her heart skittering like a frightened bird in her chest. This was not a good sign, not good at all.

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Carl Sagan's narration of the 'Pale Blue Dot' on YouTube  }}
 
From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known, so far, to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
End Notes:
This and the next chapter were originally one giant chapter. The reference to Carl Sagan's narration will make more sense in the next part, but I thought Gertie would appreciate having both chapters keep the reference. I hope I didn't bore you with the description of Gertie's house. I'm not sure we'll ever get back here to visit it (I envision Gertie coming to SunnyD later rather than us going back to Dorset) and my muse just really wanted to carry me through it all in detail. Gertie is going to be a regular character at some point and I wanted to set a solid foundation for her now, while Dawn's here.

Next: Tea with Gertie. How will the Slayer deal this new-age, hippie-type witch? And, perhaps more importantly, what will Annie think of her?
Pale Blue Dot, Part 2 by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Annie and Buffy get the full Gertie Greenbriar experience.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment. Photo of sunset on the English Channel by neilalderney123 on Flickr.
Continued from previous chapter, Friday, September 9th, 2011:

Gertie came back with a large tray laden with food. She sat it down on the low, heavy table, crossed her feet at the ankles, and then lowered herself into a cross-legged sitting position onto a floor-pillow next to it, the wispy skirt of her dress flaring out and covering her long legs as she went. The witch moved with practiced grace, sinking down onto the pillow gently and silently, as if she didn’t want to hurt the cushion by sitting on it. Dawn joined her, followed closely by Annie and Buffy, who continued watching Dawn, following her lead, and trying not to commit any unforgivable faux pas.



There was hot tea, of course, but also cookies … errr … biscuits: red, heart-shaped sweet-breads. In addition, the bread that Annie had smelled baking when they first came in, warm and fresh from the oven, was on the tray. It was dark and rich-looking, and still smelled heavenly. There were three jars of jam, obviously homemade: raspberry, blueberry, and gooseberry. There was also a mound of pale-yellow butter on a covered, antique porcelain butter dish. And, lastly, there was a small pitcher of cream and a clear, glass bottle that contained some type of reddish liquid.



Annie and Buffy continued taking their cues from Dawn, who simply sat, hands in her lap, and waited.

When they were all seated, Gertie closed her eyes and said in her rich, lilting voice, “It is our privilege to accept Mother Earth’s bounty as it was given: with grace and respect.”

Buffy felt like she should say ‘amen’ or something, but no one else did, so she didn’t either. As soon as Gertie had finished her short blessing, Dawn began helping herself to the ‘bounty before them.’ Annie and Buffy continued to follow Dawn, who poured some of the milk and a little of the red liquid stuff, which turned out to be thick, like syrup, into her tea.

“What is this?” Buffy finally asked as she let a few drops of the thick liquid fall into her own cuppa.

“Humanely-harvested sugar-beet syrup,” Gertie replied as she spread some of the gooseberry jam on a chunk of bread she’d pulled off the loaf.

Buffy’s brow furrowed slightly. “Oookay…” she drawled out slowly, letting the word drip off her tongue. “I’ve never had that before. Is it … a local custom?” Buffy asked.

“To be sure,” the witch replied, a wry smile on her lips. “Haven’t had a bit o’ luck growin’ sugar cane here on the cliffs meself.”

Buffy’s brows went up. “Oh, you grew this?”



“Only way t’ be sure now, innit?” Gertie replied, nodding and sending her long hair shimmering in the late-afternoon light that streamed in the large windows.

“Sure of … what?” Buffy wondered.

“Sure our Mother's charges were tended with love and allowed to gain their full promise b’fore they gave their life-energy to sustain us,” Gertie explained before taking a sip of her tea.

“Oh … yeah … there’s that,” Buffy stammered as she tried to catch Dawn’s eye. Dawn didn’t look at her, but continued spreading blueberry jam on her bread as if she were performing major surgery.

“Well, it’s … very good,” Buffy offered sipping the syrup-sweetened tea and taking one of the red, heart-shaped cookies from the tray.

Annie’s brow was furrowed as she listened to the witch and looked at the food on the table. “Are you a … vegan?” Annie asked. There were a couple of kids at school that were vegans … sort of. Their parents were vegans, and the kids were vegans when they were with their parents, but at the candy machine they sometimes forgot their convictions.

Gertie smiled. “Don’t go in for labels, lass. I fancy meself a defender o’ our Mother ... what me friends in town call ‘Space Station Earth’, and her children. Only got the one … reckon we oughta pay her a bit o’ mind.”

Annie picked up the pitcher of cream, poured a bit into her own tea-cup, and stirred. Her brows furrowed when she tasted the tea: that was regular cream, like from a cow. She’d expected it to be almond or soy milk, like Dani drank. She then took some of the butter, spread on her bread, and took a bite. Annie's confusion deepened. It was regular butter, not some kind of fake-canola butter-look-alike, although it tasted somehow sweeter than what they normally ate at home. She continued to sip the tea and nibble on her bread while her mother took over the conversation with the witch.

“And these … children of the Earth are…” Buffy began hesitantly, raising her brows in question.

Gertie spread her arms, palms up in a motion that encompassed the room, but it was clear she meant much more than that. The ends of her silky mane danced over the floor at her back as she lifted her face to the ceiling … or perhaps to heaven. “All things: air, soil, water. All the life-energies that share the journey on our pale blue dot are Mother Earth’s children.”

“Like … beets,” Buffy guessed.



Gertie looked back at Buffy and nodded, her expression serious. “To be sure. All things are connected by the life-force of the Universe, and Mother Earth is our sentinel. Animal, vegetable, mineral … we’re all one here in her bosom. As goes the Mother, go the children; as goes one, goes the other. We’re all connected … damage to one is damage to all; mistreat one, mistreat all.”

“Uh-huh,” Buffy grunted out, giving Dawn a look that asked, ‘Is she serious?’ Unfortunately, the look was lost on Dawn since she was carefully studying something on the other side of the room.

“A Champion such as yourself doesn’ believe in a unified life-force? In Karma … in destiny?” Gertie asked Buffy, quirking a pale brow at her. “To be sure, it follows the same path of connection. As ye sow, so shall ye reap and the like.”

“I’ve found Karma to be overrated. It usually needs me to give it a helping hand for people to get what they really deserve ... you know, in a timely manner at least,” Buffy admitted, giving the witch a cool smile.

“Perhaps,” Gertie agreed, sighing serenely. “And have beets done anything that would suggest they should be punished … mistreated? Are they evil demons, t’ be enslaved in our service and brutalized for nothing more than being beets?”

Buffy opened her mouth and closed it again, furrowed her brow, and shook her head. “I … guess not.”

Gertie shrugged. “Then why not have a bit o’ respect, eh? They’re givin’ their life-force t’ nourish us. A cycle o’ life, it is … takin’ from the air, the soil, the sun, the water, and givin’ to us.
 
“Make no mistake," Gertie continued languidly. "Champion or no, one day our physical bodies will lay down an’ merge back into the Mother. We’ll be the air, soil, and water. Round and round it goes. One day we’ll be the fodder for the beet rather than the other way ‘round … one day we may be the beet.”

“Uh-huh,” Buffy agreed, although it lacked conviction. “Go beets!” she cheered, pumping a fist in the air with fake enthusiasm. She was starting to not really care if she offended the witch any longer. Gertie was a fruit-loop with a capital ‘F’.

Annie listened intently as Gertie and Buffy talked, brows still furrowed. “But isn’t this is … cream and butter … like from a cow?” she asked at the lull, pointing at the small pitcher on the table and the mound of butter.

 “Ah, well … Mrs. O’Leary’s a dear friend and child o’ the Earth, but she don’t much fancy being labeled a cow, lass,” Gertie reprimanded lightly.

“Mrs. O’Leary?” Buffy choked out, nearly spitting up the tea she’d drunk. “This is … human milk?”



Gertie laughed in her lilting, melodic tone and shook her head. Her thick, silver-white hair washed over her shoulders, back, and arms as she moved. The bright, pink streaks in her hair separated and fanned out atop her long, pale mane, making her look even more fairy-like as her hair reflected the color over its full, and considerable, length and breadth.

“While it be true that Mrs. O’Leary be a bovine by birth, I be sure t’ never let on the truth of it t’ her,” Gertie revealed, her voice conspiratorial. “Been sisters here on the cliffs for nigh on ten years, we have – and even before that in some past time, to be sure. A sweet soul, she is … akin to mine, I don’t be doubtin’. Raised her up from a wee bit, I did, and she’s been kind enough t’ grace Mother Earth with four lovely báibíns.

“Always gracious enough t’ take fodder from m’ garden and give back a bit o’ cream for my pleasure with nary a whisper of upset. Her wee ones don’t mind sharing a bit – and they be lovin’ a bite o’ sweet biscuit themselves.  Always got more than they can tuck away, she does,” Gertie explained. “Tis the same circle, yeah? Give and receive … a balance o’ life.”

Buffy sighed in relief. Mrs. O’Leary was a cow. Thank God.

“Where does she stay? In the back yard?” Annie asked, looking at the door that led out to the area on the other side of the house where the windmill was.

“Much too lonely there for Mrs. O’Leary. She be a social creature, after all, lass. She stays up t' the highland atop the cliff at the back o’ the house with Séamus Flannigan’s charges. Has a right time, she does. She be the queen o’ the pasture, ya see? Not one o’ the others dare challenge her royal highness –neither bovine nor ovine nor canine. We visit a bit every day, she and I. Right good friend she is to me, my lovely Mrs. O’Leary.”

Buffy suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. The fruit-loop’s best friend was a cow. Why did this not completely surprise her?

“Sooo … you believe in reincarnation,” Annie continued. “You think we could come back as an animal … or a plant?”

Gertie shrugged a slender shoulder as she met Annie’s eyes. Annie could see the woman’s irises shift color again. They morphed from the deep purple she’d had when she was looking at Buffy, to bright green as they settled upon Annie. It was disconcerting, but Annie didn’t look away – she really wanted to know. Gertie was the strangest person she’d ever met … but she seemed so sure of herself, sure of her beliefs.

“I believe in nature, in the cosmos, in science, in the Mother. Tis all connected - canno' have nature without science, can ye? As we be now, in the form of a human, we’ve be gifted with intelligence and the ability t' suss things out. We must use it or dishonor the Mother … dishonor the cosmos, dishonor ourselves, a ghrá.

“The First Law of Thermodynamics tells me that energy canno’ be created nor destroyed – it can only change forms, flow from one place to the other. And, what is life but energy? What do our spirits be if not cosmic life-force … power, fire? And do plants and animals not also have a life-force? Are they not also living beings? Do they not also have a potential to fulfill in this realm?”

Annie blinked, then her brow furrowed. “Yeah … I guess ... but … Mom’s been to heaven. She didn’t … reincarnate when she died before.”

Now it was Gertie’s turn to blink, clearly impressed, and turn her mutable eyes back to Buffy. “There are more realms than our Mother’s, a ghrá. We be nothin’ more than a single pixel in a cosmos o’ color. Just as you will one day be off, no longer within your mother’s arms, as will our spirits shift in their cycle of awakening, away from our Mother’s embrace, to dwell in a new reality.”

“I don’t get to be a beet?” Buffy asked, mock disappointment tingeing her words. “That’s a total bummer. I was looking forward to just, you know, lazing in the sun a while, curling my roots in the soil, and chillaxin'.”



Gertie’s lips quirked into a smile and dimples returned to her cheeks. “To be sure your fire is bright, Champion … an old soul is within ya,” she observed, nodding. “The Chosen oft be the eldest among us … but even ye are but a small drop of water in a vast ocean. We need look only into the night sky to see how minute our place in the universe is … and there be many more, just as vast, to be sure. There are untold levels to be achieved … all a part of the cosmic life-force.”

“Sooo …” Annie continued. “Mom like … graduated?”

“To be sure,” Gertie agreed.

“Cool,” Buffy remarked. “Glad I could graduate from something other than Sunnydale High … knew it would never be college.”

Annie scowled at her mom and wanted to tell her to stop being sarcastic and making fun, but instead just kept talking to Gertie. “So … there’s a cosmic life-force … like Ch’i?”

“To be sure, a ghrá. There be many names for it…” Gertie agreed, looking back at Annie. “And you …” Gertie looked between Dawn and Annie a moment, finally settling her eyes back on the younger of the girls. “You hold more than most … more than I’ve seen in all m’ days.”

Buffy looked up from her tea and met Dawn’s eyes. Dawn’s expression said, ‘I told you so,’ without words.

At Buffy’s request, they hadn’t told Gertie the real reason for their visit. Instead, they’d brought the silver scroll from the Gift-less dimension with them – the one that decoded the Gem of Amarra book. On Gertie’s doorstep, Dawn and Buffy had introduced themselves innocuously as a Slayer, her daughter, and her sister. They’d said that they had gotten her name from the Council’s records, which said she was an expert on hand-made artifacts, and asked the witch to take a look at the scroll. They’d asked Gertie if she could tell them what time-period it was from or what civilization had created it.

That was the main reason Annie hadn’t been paying much attention then – she knew that was nothing but a ploy to come here, to get invited inside, to talk. Buffy had wanted a chance to pass judgment on the witch, to find out if this Gertie could feel the power inside Annie like Dawn’s Gertie had. After all, the same people living in different dimensions didn’t always behave identically, nor have the same mindset or abilities.

“Your aura is strong, lass, your soul … ancient, your life-force thrums,” Gertie revealed, holding her hands out, palms facing Annie, as if touching an unseen wall around her.

Gertie then turned and looked at Dawn. “But I reckon that don’t be a shock t’ ya.”

Dawn smiled and shook her head. “No …” she admitted, casting a sidelong glance at Buffy.

Buffy still thought the woman was a fruit-loop, but she had felt Annie’s energy, just as Dawn had insisted she would. Buffy sighed in resignation. “We thought you might have some ideas about how Annie could use that power to, you know, help Karma along when it needs a hand to keep the … cosmic energy flowing … or whatever.”

Gertie studied the three visitors in silence for what seemed an eternity. Buffy thought she was gonna toss them out for their small subterfuge, but then the witch nodded.

“I be needin’ t’ talk with the child … alone,” Gertie said, standing up from the cushion the same way she’d sat down – with practiced, easy grace. “Join me in the garden, a ghrá?” she asked, looking at Annie.

Annie looked at Dawn and then her mom. Buffy nodded her permission and Annie got to her feet. Gertie led Annie into the back garden – the one with the windmill. The sun was just setting, and the sky and water all seemed to be on fire, painted in reds, yellows, and oranges, as Annie followed the witch to a wide, smooth wall that lined the cliff. Gertie sat down on the wall, lifted her legs up, and turned around. She dangled her bare feet over the side, high up above the water and rocks below, and Annie copied her.



After a few moments of listening to the sea crash against the waves and the windmill turn lazily in the fading, evening breeze, Gertie said matter-of-factly, “Your mam reckons me to be off my bloody nut.”

“Oh, no!” Annie protested, vehemently, shaking her head. “I’m sure she doesn’t think…”

Gertie gave the girl a wry, slightly crooked smile, stopping her. Annie rolled her eyes and shrugged. “She’s not very … theoretical … or theological. She’s more into hard facts. If she can’t beat it up, then it’s not really on her radar.”

“A Champion she is … a Slayer,” Gertie agreed. “Tis their Calling – their nature.”

Annie shrugged again as she kicked her heels nervously against the limestone block of the wall, first one, then the other, in a quick, 1-2-3, rhythm. Her sneakers hit the heavy stone, bounced off, then fell back again – she could feel it vibrate her body more than hear it. Thud, thud, thud … thud, thud, thud … thud, thud, thud…

“And you, lass? Where does your mind lie?”

Annie shrugged again, looking down at the rocks and water far below. After a few moments she looked back up at the witch. “I go to a special school that focuses on world studies … languages and cultures. Part of what we study is different religions,” she admitted. “We weren’t supposed to talk about our own religion ‘cos of all that church and state stuff … but I thought it was pretty interesting. I was glad we didn’t have to say our own beliefs though – I don’t know what I would’ve said. Agnostic, I guess … or Slayerism.” Annie laughed and rolled her eyes.

Gertie laughed as well, a melodious chortle of amusement which made her eyes morph momentarily from the bright green to a rich, dark honey color, then back again.

“There are a lot of religions that believe in reincarnation,” Annie continued. “It seems as valid as any other idea to me. I don’t see why we couldn’t be a beet. Especially when you think of it as life-force. It’s kinda interesting to think about, really … and a little overwhelming. It makes you feel pretty small in comparison to all those possible realms or levels ... universes or whatever.” Annie shrugged again. “I just don’t know.”



“Ya don’t need t’ know, lass,” Gertie assured her. “But ya gotta be willin’ to accept there’s a force that ties us all t’gether … an energy that flows through us all and through Mother Earth, or I won’t be able t’ help ya tap into that power.”

Annie nodded. “I think I can do that.”

Gertie gave her a reassuring smile, the gap between her teeth showing. “And there’s one other thing: ya gotta be ready to commit … be ready t’ learn, and t’ work. It won’t be a snap o’ the fingers, yeah? Ya got the power inside, a ghrá, but bending it to your will won’t be like anything you’ve ever done. T’ be honest, it won’t be like anything I’ve ever done either. I’ve heard-tell of such energy, but never thought I’d see it with my own eyes.”

Annie looked out over the water and sky, which had fallen dark now. Stars had just begun to twinkle above them, clearly visible with no city lights to eclipse the darkness. She didn’t reply. What if she couldn’t do it? What if Gertie spent time with her – exerted her life-force trying to teach her – and she just wasn’t able to get it?

“Me thinks you may be a bit young for this endeavor just now, a ghrá,” Gertie offered. “But you be knowing, I’ll be here when you’re ready to find your power, lass.”

Annie blinked back tears and nodded, biting her bottom lip, thankful for the out the witch had given her. She didn’t want to let anyone down – not her mom, not Dawn, not Gertie. “Thank you,” she croaked out, trying to keep the tears from her voice.

Gertie gave her a small smile and wrapped a strong, slender arm over Annie’s shoulders, pulling the girl against her side. “All the Earth’s children have a purpose, lass. The Mother will show you when it be time for you to find yours.”
End Notes:
This was gonna be the last Gertie chapter, but now that I've finally got her voice in my head, I think we'll spend a bit more time with her. I apologize for three chapters with basically no Spike. I promise to make up for it!

Next: Annie meets Mrs. O'Leary.

What do you think of Gertie? All feedback is welcome!
Turn, Turn, Turn by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Annie spends more time with Gertie and meets Mrs. O’Leary before they leave.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment. Some photographs courtesy of FreeFoto.com
Early the Next Morning, Saturday, September 10th, 2011:

Annie wandered around Gertie’s back garden as the sun rose, lightening the sky in gradual shades of pink, lavender, and blue. They’d ended up staying the night here, sending Jeremy and the car back to T-2-T and the bed and breakfast there. He’d be back for them later this morning.

Annie was still conflicted about this trip. She really enjoyed talking to Gertie; the witch was the strangest person she’d ever met, but her beliefs intrigued Annie. They never talked much about religion at home: not old-fashioned God religion or new-age, mother-earth religion or anything in between. It was like a whole different world talking to Gertie. Annie knew her mom thought Gertie was perhaps from a whole different world, like ‘Looney-Tunes Land’ or something. But that was okay; Annie thought the witch’s ideas were really interesting and thought-provoking.

While Gertie’s front garden was dedicated mostly to growing food and herbs, the back garden surrounding the tall windmill was made to please the senses and soothe the soul. Colorful flowers lined a narrow stone walkway that meandered around tall, sweet-smelling, green-leaved bushes and rough boulders the size of elephants, past rustic benches and all manner of statuary, and through small patches of well-trimmed lawn. The way the path was laid out, you couldn’t see far ahead because of the many tall bushes and boulders. Although Annie knew the garden couldn’t be very large, you couldn’t really get a sense of its size because of how the path twisted and turned and the tall garden features that screened your view.



As Annie waked, she passed purple Passion Flower vines which hung precariously on the craggy cliff-face at the back of the garden, trying to climb to the sun. The yellow passion fruits that still clung to the vines smelled like apricots and made her stomach grumble a bit, wishing for breakfast, but everyone else was still asleep. Further on, colorful lichen, ranging from sage green, to orange, to lavender, clung to the shady sides of the large rocks that were scattered like a giant’s forgotten tinker toys around the long, narrow garden.

Most of the flowers had begun to fade after the long summer, getting ready to rest for the winter, but their well-tended grandeur was still evident. Once in a while a hardy hanger-on graced Annie with its sweet fragrance as she wandered slowly along the path. Even though everyone else was still sleeping, but Annie wanted to explore everything she could before they had to go; she didn’t think Gertie would mind. She wanted to know as much about the witch as she could. She reasoned the more she understood her possible mentor, the better her chances of succeeding when the time came to tap into the power the monks had hidden inside her.

“Tis a lovely way to greet the new day, wouldn’t you agree?” a soft voice came from somewhere ahead of Annie.

Annie smiled as she rounded a boulder the size of a VW Bug to find Gertie sitting in a lotus position on a patch of green grass.

“It’s beautiful,” Annie agreed, plopping down cross-legged next to her.

Gertie gave the girl a crooked smile, revealing her deep dimples and the gap between her teeth. This morning she was dressed in an overlarge fisherman’s sweater to ward off the chilly morning air, and a pair of stretchy, calf-length yoga pants. Her feet were still bare, despite the cold. Gertie’s hair was pulled back into a neat French braid that continued halfway down her back. The pink stripes looked like ribbons twined through the luminescent platinum-white.

“Whatcha doin’?” Annie asked, moving her feet and legs to mimic the way Gertie was sitting, with her feet resting atop her thighs and her knees touching the soft grass.

“Connecting with the Mother. Thanking her for a new day, and beginnin’ it by takin’ in Her energy and grace,” Gertie explained, closing her eyes again. “You try…” she suggested to Annie as she relaxed her arms and shoulders again with the back of her hands resting on her knees. “Close your eyes and feel the energy flow up from the soil and down from the air. Allow it to meet within your chest and fill you with the life-force of our world.”

Annie made an ‘eeek’ face, which she hoped Gertie didn’t see, then closed her eyes and tried to sit the way Gertie was: straight backed but with her shoulders and arms relaxed.

“Concentrate on your breath, lass … feel the Mother’s energy flowing in with each inhalation, and give Her your energy in return with each exhalation,” Gertie encouraged. “Her oxygen in, your carbon dioxide out … give and take … perfect balance as in all things, just as the Mother intended.”

Annie tried; she really, really did. But, after a little while, she just got bored concentrating on her breathing. Her mind started to wander and she ended up thinking about the trip home, about seeing Stonehenge again, and school on Monday. She wouldn’t be able to tell anyone at school that she’d actually seen Stonehenge, since a weekend trip to Britain would be a little hard to explain. That sucked! Maybe she could say they came here for summer vacation and explain the trip that way. Her mind continued to wander and she wondered if her dad had left the house painted in bright colors or if he’d put it back to white, and … on and on. After just a couple of minutes, she opened her eyes and began watching a bee work on collecting the last pollen from a fading marigold. When it flew away, she turned to see Gertie watching her, a small smile playing on her lips.

“Sorry … I got bored,” Annie apologized sheepishly.

“No worries, a ghrá. It be a process, no doubt. One minute today … perhaps two on the morrow,” the witch assured her.

Annie gave her a thankful smile in return. “Can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“Why did you … pick me? Yesterday, I mean … you brought me out to the garden to talk … but not Dawn.”

“Ah well, it be simple, really. Although it be true you both share an ancient secret, her path be as clear and solid as this very ground, while yours be … fluid … blurred … like the water beyond the shore. Tis you what needs a hand to guide, not your other-worldly friend.”

Annie stared at the thin woman in shock. “You can … see that? See that she’s not … from here?”

Gertie gave a small nod. “Tis not hard t’ see, if you only look through the eye o’ wisdom, lass.”

Annie sighed. How would she ever get this mysteriously abstract ‘eye of wisdom’ and Mother Earth energy stuff?

“It will come, a ghrá, as with all things in life, in its proper time,” Gertie assured her, as if reading her mind. “You be a bright child; you’ll be knowing when it is time.”

Annie wondered if the witch could actually read people’s minds. She remembered the first time their eyes had met – it felt like Gertie was looking right into her soul. Was that the eye of wisdom she kept talking about? Could she see into people’s souls?

“I’m not a witch or anything like that …” Annie pointed out.

“And there’s no need t’ be. Your energy be ancient … older than time … as old as the cosmos themselves. You need only believe that it be possible to touch it, and your path will become clear. All things in time, lass … there be a season to all things. Tryin’ t’ touch that power before you be ready would be like tryin’ t’ plant the corn in the winter. No use in it, a ghrá.”

Annie took a deep breath and let it out slowly. She hoped Gertie was right.

“Would you come with me t’ see Mrs. O’Leary this morning, lass? I know she’d love t’ meet ya,” Gertie asked as she easily unfolded her legs and rose to a standing position, graceful as a dancer.

Annie smiled, pushed her feet off her thighs with her hands, and jumped up. “Sure!” she agreed, happy for something tangible to concentrate on.

As Annie followed Gertie back into the house she asked about some of the plants in the garden. “What are these big bushes?” she asked as they passed one of the tall, sweet-smelling plants.

“They be Camellia Sinensis,” Gertie replied easily, picking a leaf and rolling it between her fingers to release more of the scent.

Annie looked at her blankly.

“Tea, lass … Tis where I harvest m’ tea leaves,” Gertie explained.

Annie looked at the bushes with a bit more awe. “I thought tea grew in Asia mostly.”

“To be sure,” Gertie agreed. “But the Channel keeps the chill away and I be keeping them well tended with the things they desire. They be gracious enough t’ reward me with their energy. Tis an indulgence, I know, but I believe they be happy here – the view’s brilliant-like and the weather’s fair, if a bit windy.”

Annie looked around and had to agree that the view was pretty nice. Beyond the flowers, lawns, and boulders you could get glimpses of the sea – or apparently the Channel – in the background and the sky was once again blue. The sound of the waves lapping against the rocks below was ever-present and had started to fade into one of those sounds so familiar that you no longer heard it unless you really concentrated. Annie looked back at the bush and supposed it looked happy enough. There were probably worse places to live if you were a tea plant.

Inside the house, Dawn and Buffy were still sleeping in the living area. Buffy was curled on the thickly-cushioned couch and Dawn was sprawled on a pile of hand-woven rugs on the floor that she and Annie had shared. Gertie and Annie moved silently back to the kitchen, careful not to wake them. On the wall that pressed against the cliff, Gertie pulled open a door to what Annie thought was an upright freezer. It was stainless-steel and looked just like the other appliances, but behind the door was an opening into another room that was actually embedded into the face of the cliff.

“Jus’ a quick stop in the larder, lass … Mrs. O’Leary dearly loves her a wee bite o’ sugar-beet and carrot,” Gertie explained as Annie followed her into what looked like a root cellar. The larder seemed to be carved out of solid rock, was about twelve feet square, but very tall, and was lit with a line of LED lights that hung down from darkness above, running down the center of the room. There were rustic, well-worn wicker baskets stacked on sturdy shelves lining most of the cool rock walls. All were packed full of root vegetables: carrots, turnips, beets, onions, and loads of potatoes.

Annie watched as Gertie selected three large beets, four carrots, and two potatoes, and then chopped them into bite-sized pieces on a butcher’s block table in the center of the room. On the wall that backed up to the kitchen there was a large, deep sink. She dropped all the veggies in there and washed them, then put them in a steel pail. On top of the carrots, potatoes, and beets she laid a small biscuit tin, and then she filled another pail half-full of warm water. The witch picked both buckets up and headed for a spiral staircase that was half-hidden in the furthest, darkest corner of the larder.

“We just be going up there, lass,” Gertie told her, motioning towards the staircase. “Mrs. O’Leary’ll be waiting up on the highland for us.”

Annie reached out and took the pail with the vegetables in it from Gertie’s hand just as the witch started up the narrow staircase. If Annie had any doubt of the witch’s physical strength, it would’ve quickly faded as she climbed the stairs, lugging the heavy bucket and the ‘wee bit’ of vegetables. Gertie may look like a fragile twig, but her thin frame was apparently made of hardened steel.

At the top of the staircase, Gertie pushed a trap-door open and a flood of sunlight flowed down from above them. The door crashed loudly against what sounded like a wooden floor … or ceiling, depending on your perspective, which surrounded it. Along with the light, the aroma of … well … farm wafted down from above them as Gertie continued up and out of the opening. It was musky and earthy and a little bit rank, to be honest.

It smelled a lot like Big Thunder Ranch, the petting zoo at Disneyland. It had never been Annie’s favorite thing – the animals were all just a little too pushy for her liking. Her earliest memory of it had been when she’d gone there one year with just Willow and Tara, she must’ve been four or five. One of the goats had rubbed its musky scent all over her skin and clothes, and ended up knocking her down in its exuberance. She stunk like goat the whole rest of the day. No, it had never been her favorite attraction.

Annie struggled to lift the heavy bucket up ahead of her when she neared the top of the stairs. Gertie managed to grab it from her grasp just as Annie thought she might drop it. The girl sighed in relief and clambered the rest of the way out of the staircase. The first thing she saw when she emerged were a pair of giant, glistening, chocolate-brown eyes and a huge, wet, dark nose which breathed warm, smelly air in her face.



She scrambled back away from the creature, stifling a shriek of surprise at how close the cow was to her.

“Nothin’ t’ be feared,” Gertie assured … someone – Annie wasn’t sure if it was her or the cow the witch was talking to. “Mrs. O’Leary’s just a friendly sort … over-friendly some might say.”

Annie smiled nervously and stepped back towards the cow, which couldn’t actually move any closer because of a wooden half-wall that kept the compartment with the stairwell opening separate from the rest of the barn. Annie put her hand out tentatively and stroked the cow’s large, reddish-brown face from between her eyes down to just above her damp nose. Near the top of her head, Mrs. O’Leary had a heart-shaped, white blaze, which Annie traced lightly with her index finger.

“Hi,” Annie greeted the cow. “I’m Annie.”

Mrs. O’Leary snorted and shook her head up and down in greeting, sending damp air billowing out from her nostrils. Annie flinched back and held her breath. Her eyes closed involuntarily as droplets of what she tried hard to think of as water, rather than snot or spit, coated her shirt and neck.

“She be proud t’ meet ya, lass,” Gertie translated, the smile on her face evident to Annie even though her eyes were still closed.

“Great…” Annie croaked out through clinched teeth as she slowly opened her eyes and looked down at her shirt. She made an ‘oh gross’ face at the thousands of tiny droplets of … liquid that covered her. She pulled the back of her shirt as far forward as she could and wiped her face on it, thinking ‘water … just water’ the whole time so she didn’t freak out.

“Would ya like t’ help me with the milking?” Gertie asked Annie as she opened a gate in the half-wall and entered the area where the cow was.

“Uhhhh…” Annie stammered. “I don’t think I’m very good with … cows.”

“Piffle!” Gertie disagreed, holding the gate open for Annie to follow her. “How many cows have ya known in your life, lass?”

Annie rolled her eyes. “None, really…” she admitted.

Still holding the gate open, Gertie gave her an encouraging look and motioned with her head, indicating that Annie should follow.

Annie took a deep breath and steeled herself as she moved forward, following the witch into the side of the barn where Mrs. O’Leary waited. The cow watched Annie, turning her head to the side to follow her movements. Annie braced herself for another snot-shower, but thankfully, none came.

Gertie removed the biscuit tin from the bucket of vegetables and hung the bucket on a hook in front of Mrs. O’Leary. The cow immediately dug into the bounty, chomping and chewing loudly on the crunchy morsels.

From the biscuit tin, Gertie removed two of the heart-shaped cookies like she’d served for tea the previous day, and handed them to Annie. “I reckon the wee bit would be chuffed t' bits for a bite o’ biscuit,” she told Annie, inclining her head to the other side of the large cow.



Annie furrowed her brow and walked around the back of the cow – giving her back feet a wide berth. Did cows kick like horses? She didn’t know and didn’t want to find out.

On the other side of the large, reddish-brown cow was a calf that looked like a miniature version of its mother. When Annie came into view, it pulled away from the teat it had been suckling and gave her a slightly wary look … until she broke a piece of the cookie off and held it out towards it. A flash-back of the petting zoo whirled through Annie’s mind as the ‘wee one’ charged her, a mewling ‘moooo’ announcing its excited delight.



After initially freezing in fright, Annie giggled as the little calf’s long tongue snaked out and curled around the bit of red biscuit she offered. The sweet-treat was pulled away from her fingers in one deft motion. Before Annie could break off another piece, the calf had chewed that bit up and its tongue and lips were searching her fingers for more. Mrs. O’Leary turned her head and watched as Annie alternately doled out treats and petted the soft, shiny coat of the baby. Apparently satisfied that the two were getting on okay, the cow turned back to her own meal and sighed contentedly.

“I don’t have any more,” Annie told the little calf, holding both hands up to show their state of emptiness.

“Can he have more?” Annie asked Gertie, moving back around Mrs. O’Leary.

“She,” Gertie corrected as she deftly pulled milk from the two teats on her side of the cow into the bucket which had contained the warm water. “Not good t’ overdo on the sweets, a ghrá. All things be best in moderation.”

“Sorry,” Annie apologized to the calf as it bumped Annie’s hand with its nose, trying to make her produce more sweets.

“Shall ya give milking a try, then?” Gertie asked, standing up from the low stool she was sitting on.

Annie’s eyes went wide. “I … don’t … know … I don’t want to … hurt her,” she stammered. Annie started to step back, but Gertie’s hand on her shoulder propelled her forward toward the stool.

“No worries, lass … I be showing ya how,” Gertie assured her.

Annie swallowed hard but sat down obediently. The calf nudged Annie one more time, bumping its dark nose against her arm, but then gave up and went to see what her mother was eating.

“Her bag be clean, so no need t’ worry yourself ‘bout that,” Gertie assured her. Annie realized that was what the warm water had been for – Gertie had used it to clean the cow’s udder.

“Okay, t-that's … good,” Annie drawled out uneasily, as if whether the udder was clean was her main concern … or had actually crossed her mind at all.

Gertie squatted down on her heels next to Annie and positioned the girl’s right hand on one of the cow’s teats. “Gentle-like now,” Gertie explained, her larger hand covering Annie’s, prompting her to squeeze and slowly pull down at the same time. A trickle of milk dripped from the end of the long teat.

“Oh my God!” Annie exclaimed, her eyes wide with shock as she felt the warm, thick, creamy liquid on her fingers. “I made milk!”

Gertie laughed. “Mrs. O’Leary made the milk, lass. She be allowing us t’ share it with her wee bit, nothin’ more.”

Gertie released her grip and guided Annie’s hand back up higher on the teat, allowing it to fill with milk again, then again pulled down slowly and gently. More milk poured from the end, this time enough to actually splash in the bucket below. Annie’s excitement grew as they continued like this for some minutes. It didn’t take very long before Annie could do it all on her own, and long, hard streams of warm, creamy milk were filling the bucket with each pull.

Mrs. O’Leary had finished her meal and was bathing her calf while Annie worked; the cow was seemingly unperturbed by the newcomer. When the pail was about a third full, Gertie announced that they had enough for the day and Annie stopped. Gertie retrieved the bucket from beneath the cow’s belly and set it, along with the stool, across the half-wall, away from any danger of being knocked over.

Finally, Gertie got one more biscuit from the tin and handed it to Annie. “Reckon Mrs. O’Leary would fancy a sweet,” she said, inclining her head towards the cow.

Annie walked up to the cow’s head and held the cookie out; all memory of the snot-bath she’d gotten earlier had drifted away in her excitement about learning to milk. Like her calf, Mrs. O’Leary’s tongue reached out and encircled the cookie, easily pulling it away from Annie. Annie stroked the cow’s neck, feeling the strong muscles just beneath her soft, fawn coat, as the cow enjoyed the treat.

“I thought you said she was with a herd,” Annie commented to Gertie as the witch grabbed a shovel and began scooping up manure from the floor of the stable.

“To be sure,” Gertie replied as she piled the cow-patties into a wheelbarrow.

“Then, where are they?”

Gertie inclined her head toward the open door of the stall and Annie walked outside. On the hillside, she could see more cows grazing on bright-green winter-rye not far from the barn. Further down the sloping terrain there were a dozen or more plump, white dots: sheep.  



Gertie came out of the stall with the manure, followed closely by Mrs. O’Leary and the calf. The cow seemed to be supervising the cleaning of the barn and watched Gertie wheel the load along a well-worn path to the edge of the cliff and then dump it over the side. Annie’s brow furrowed. She walked up to the edge and looked over. Below was a compost and manure pile in the corner of Gertie’s back garden, as far from the house as possible. Annie hadn’t gotten that far in her wanderings.

Looking out over the long, narrow garden, Gertie’s unorthodox house, and the sea beyond, Annie smiled a bit, remembering Gertie’s lecture about a cycle of life. Mrs. O’Leary’s manure helped grow the carrots, potatoes, and beets, which Gertie shared with her to help create milk, which she, in turn, shared with Gertie. It was a giant circle of sharing – of working together, of giving and taking, of not wasting anything.

Annie turned and watched Gertie petting the cow and speaking softly into one large, fuzzy ear. After a few moments, Mrs. O’Leary turned and seemed to nod to Annie, as if to say goodbye – or good job – before sauntering slowly away, back towards the waiting herd that grazed nearby. Annie watched her go and it only then occurred to her that Mrs. O’Leary had never been tethered in the stable – nothing had been holding her there except perhaps the vegetables and the promise of a cookie at the end. The little calf ran in circles around her mother, kicking her heels and bucking joyfully in the cool, fall air as they made their way back to the others. It made Annie laugh watching the wee bit run and play with not a worry in the world.

“What will happen to the baby? … I mean … ummmm … no one’s gonna eat her, are they?” Annie wondered as she watched the herd part when Mrs. O’Leary walked through the center of them like the queen Gertie had said she was.

“There’ll be no eatin’ o’ the wee bit; no worries, a ghrá. Séamus be right kind; a gentle man. He lives as we all do here on these cliffs: with respect for all o’ Mother Earth’s children,” Gertie assured her.

Annie thought this over a few moments as they watched the herd begin to follow Mrs. O’Leary further down the slope. A couple more late-season calves broke away from the herd and all the youngsters joined in a game of tag, running round and round their elders with seemingly unending energy.

“But … you said that beets had souls and … you eat beets. So … what’s the difference?” Annie asked, finally looking at Gertie. “What’s the difference between eating a beet and eating a cow?”

“To be sure, they are all children of the Mother. The beet and the cow, they are both our brothers and sisters,” Gertie agreed. “And I be knowin’ the laws o’ nature: predator eats prey. It be the way of our Mother to keep all her children strong, and so it has been for millennia. You canno’ fault the lion for eating the gazelle no more than you can fault the gazelle for eating the grass.”

“So,” Annie concluded, her brow still furrowed in thought. “It’s ok for humans to eat cows … because we’re like the lion? But you don’t eat meat … I didn’t see any in your kitchen.”

Gertie tilted her head in a slow nod of agreement. “To be sure, we are the lion. Truth be told, we are the lion’s lion … we are the thing the predator fears. I do not fault the man that kills the rabbit or the cow to feed his own family; it is our Mother’s way. I fault the man that eats the cow without first lookin’ into her eyes and honoring the gift of her life-force with respect and gratitude.

“I must admit t’ not being able t’ look into those eyes and take that life-force for my own. There is no failing in those that can, I simply have never been that wantin’ … that needin’ o’ sustenance,” Gertie explained. “Perhaps one day I will find myself at that ledge, but it isn’t this day.”

“But you must eat some things that you didn’t grow … like the wheat for the bread. I know you didn’t grow that,” Annie continued, really wanting to understand.

Gertie sighed and held her palms out, upturned in resignation. “Indeed, there is compromise in all things,” the witch agreed. “I search for like-minded guardians of the Earth with whom to trade. I must hope that they are true to the Mother – true to their word – and have allowed all the Earth’s children in their care to reach their full potential.

“I admit that it is not a perfect solution, but little is perfect in this time. We can only strive to do our very best; to honor all life-force with our gratitude, and treat Mother Earth, and all her children, with respect.

“Very few seem to understand that we are killing our Mother, killing ourselves, with our greed. Just how do they believe we will live when the Mother gasps her last ragged breath and falls cold and silent? Where shall we turn when the last tree falls? The last bee dies? The last of the ozone is depleted?” Gertie shook her head sadly. “Where will our souls go then? How can our spirits grow if there is no life left to live? Those who have not moved on will start over … begin again as amoebas. And what if not even an amoeba can survive our pervasive disrespect of Mother Earth? It is a daunting prospect, a ghrá.”

Annie furrowed her brow in thought, taking this in. That idea had never occurred to her before. Of course, like everyone else, she’d heard the debate over Global Warming and the greenhouse effect. There was always someone on TV spouting off about how we’re killing the planet and how the rainforests were disappearing, how various species of animals were being threatened or extinguished, and about holes in the ozone. What she’d never thought of before now was that it wasn’t just a physical problem … it wasn’t just our bodies that may be in danger if we completely ruin the environment, but our souls, as well.

**~**

After a breakfast of whole-wheat, blueberry pancakes, and unfiltered, organic maple syrup, Jeremy had returned with the car and it was time to go. They exchanged mailing addresses and Buffy gave Gertie their phone number and email addresses, as well. Gertie did have an email account, but only checked it a couple of weekends a month when she went into town, as she had no internet access at her house. Still, she gave it to Buffy, along with the phone number of Séamus Flannigan whom could get in touch with her on the short-wave.

Gertie walked them out through the front garden, still barefoot and looking unnaturally clean despite having connected with Mother Earth, fed and milked a cow, mucked out a stall, and cooked her guests breakfast already that morning. Her spotless, ecru fisherman’s sweater hung down to mid-thigh over her equally unblemished blue yoga pants. Not a single strand of silver-white or pink hair had come loose from her French braid; there was not one smudge of dirt on her face, neck, or hands. Her bare feet were the only part of her that showed any sign of the work she’d done already that morning, but even they were barely soiled.

“Your daughter is a special lass,” Gertie told Buffy as they reached the car.

Jeremy took their backpacks and stowed them in the trunk as the women said their goodbyes.

Buffy nodded and smoothed a hand down Annie’s long, curly hair. “We know she is,” Buffy agreed, giving Annie a soft smile.

“She’ll be knowing when the time is right,” Gertie continued. “When she be ready, it’d be my honor t’ help her find her path.”

“Thank you,” Buffy replied, extending her right hand out to the witch. “We really appreciate your help and your hospitality,” she continued a little stiffly, as if forcing herself to be polite.



Gertie took Buffy’s hand in both hers, squeezing it with a strong grip, as she met the Slayer’s eyes. “You be a strong warrior, an old soul. There be many promises yet t’ be kept; many miles t’ go before your soul can again rest. Our Mother be countin’ on ya, lass.”

Buffy’s brows went up. “Are you some kind of seer? Do you know something?”

Gertie shook her head. “No seer o’ the future, just see how the Mother surrounds you and how your aura reaches out. Always searching for a purpose … a mission, you are. Your final journey will one day be clear. The Mother within will show ya the path; take heed of her call, Slayer.

“And don’t be neglecting what lies inside, Buffy. To find your way, your soul be as needin’ o’ nourishment as your body … so does his.”

“His who?” Buffy asked, her brows furrowed.

Gertie’s plum-colored irises glittered; the specks of lilac seemed to dance within them. “The man whose bit o’ soul you carry within your own. Never take it for granted, Warrior. Your souls have traveled untold miles, lived lives and died deaths without number, t’ find the other. Tis a pure and honest treasure not oft found.”

Buffy looked momentarily shocked but then nodded as Gertie released her hands. “I know, I … I’m very lucky.”

Gertie turned to Dawn and gave her a smile. “Thank you for bringing them. It gives me hope that I can help Annie find her path as you have done.”

Dawn nodded and hugged Gertie. “You can,” she whispered in the witch’s ear, standing on tip toes. “You might need Shiro to help. Ancient power doesn’t necessarily mean ancient wisdom or patience.”

Gertie chuckled lightly, that melodious laugh that seemed to rival angels singing, as she released Dawn and nodded. “I will endeavor to remember that.”

Finally, Gertie turned to Annie. “You be bright and lovely as a star, a ghrá. Never let a question go unasked, it be the only road to knowledge and enlightenment. Your path will one day be clear, you must only ask and I’ll be honored t’ help ya walk it.”

“Thanks for everything,” Annie replied, hugging Gertie around the waist tightly. “I’ll email you … and write,” she promised. “You’ll probably get tired of all my questions.”

Gertie laughed again and it seemed even the birds stopped chirping to listen to the joyful sound. “Never be a chance o’ that, lass.”

**~**

“So,” Dawn asked her traveling companions as they bumped slowly down the rough track away from Gertie’s house. “What did you think of her?”

Buffy and Annie both answered at the same time.

“Fruitcake.”

“Amazing!”

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds on YouTube  }}

 
To everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

A time to build up,a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

To everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

To everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
End Notes:
I promise that Spike will be back in the next chapter and he has a surprise for our travelers! My wonderful beta Anona is back from her honeymoon, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to post the last few chapters of this story more quickly than I've been posting lately. We will be drawing to the end of this 'season' here soon.
Harvest Moon by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Buffy, Annie, and Dawn get home to Sunnydale after their visit with Gertie. Spike has a mission and a surprise waiting for them.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment. Some photos courtesy of freefoto.com
Early afternoon that same day, Saturday, September 10th, 2011:

“So, how’d it go, then?” Spike asked as Buffy, Dawn, and Annie climbed into the Blue Bomber outside the high school a few hours later.



“Gertie is awesome!” Annie gushed. “She’s, like, sooo cool and really smart! She knows all this stuff about nature and science and souls and how it all works! She’s just amazing! She’s super nice and she eats mostly stuff she grows and she makes her own electricity! We should make our own electricity! You know, we’re killing the planet by burning all this fossil fuel and if we kill the planet, then where will our souls live? We should get a hybrid car and a windmill and … maybe solar panels or something.

“We need to start recycling too. We have those bins in the garage. We need to bring them in and start sorting stuff into them instead of just trashing everything. What days do they pick up recycling? Never mind – I’ll look it up,” Annie offered brightly when Buffy shook her head.

“There’s a whole town there that just recycles stuff. Trash to treasure, it’s sooo cool, Dad. Maybe we could do that too," Annie continued, barely taking time to breathe.

“Oh! And she’s so tall! Taller than Teddy’s mom, and her eyes change color – which is … whoa – too cool! And she can, like, see right inside you. She could see your soul inside Mom!” Annie told her dad excitedly. “Isn’t that creepy? … but really neat, too!” Annie continued rambling giddily.

She’s a half-baked granola bar with an extra helping of nuts, Buffy sent Spike through the bond as she leaned over from the passenger seat and kissed him hello.

“She says our souls keep coming back, we reincarnate when we die until we, like, graduate. And she says I have a really old soul, and so does Mom, and that Mom actually graduated ‘cos she went to heaven … which is just another realm, really …” Annie continued to blather.

“And she has a cow … well, it’s really not hers, ‘cos, it’s another living being with its own soul, so it doesn’t belong to Gertie, they’re actually just friends. It’s named Mrs. O’Leary. They, like, work together to make vegetables and milk and stuff and I milked her! I actually milked a cow! It was way cool.”



Spike pulled out of the parking lot and began driving back to the mansion as Annie continued talking, her words coming fast and furious. Looks like our girl thought she was a bit of alright, he sent to Buffy through the bond.

Buffy rolled her eyes and nodded.

“And I saw Stonehenge! Have you ever seen Stonehenge, Dad? Oh, you probably have. It’s soo big, but I didn’t really get to look around much. And … oh! I got this cool fossil rock on the coast there in Dorset. Is Troy at the house? ‘Cos I want to show it to him. Oh, did I mention that she grows her own food? We should plant a garden and grow our own food. Do you know how to grow stuff and like … ummm … put it in those jars?”

“No,” Buffy and Spike both answered at once.

Annie frowned momentarily, then brightened. “That’s ok, I can look it up on the internet. I wonder how much food we would need to grow for…”

“More than we have time or space to plant,” Buffy cut her off. “You have no idea how much we eat, Annie. Seriously – did you see all the food she had, and that was just for one person! We have … five … six … how the hell many people do we have eating at our house?”

“Too bloody many,” Spike agreed, trying to mentally count. Him, Buffy, Annie, Dani, Billy, ‘Kenzie, JJ half the time, Bess half the time, Troy sometimes, Faith half the time … how many did that make? Then Clem, Xander, Anya, Giles, and Wes would just pop in sometimes … how could you even calculate that?

“It wasn’t just for her – she gives a lot to Mrs. O’Leary too … and she probably has friends, like Mr. Flannigan, come over,” Annie protested.



“Annie,” Buffy began in her ‘please be reasonable’ tone.

“But, Mom! We know how stuff works now, we can’t just … keep killing the planet and not respecting Mother Earth,” Annie cut her off.

Spike pulled into the driveway of the mansion and put the minivan in ‘Park’. Buffy started to argue with Annie further when Spike put up the universal sign for a timeout, his hands forming a ‘T’.

“I got a mission for you girls,” he told the three travelers. “Can we talk about windmills and … Mother Earth later?”

Dawn, Buffy, and Annie all looked at him darkly. A mission? They’d just gotten back from a mission … of sorts. Now they had to go on another mission? Not even a moment to rest?

Spike pulled some cash out of his wallet and gave each of them several large bills. “Ya need t’ go to the mall and get some fancy new frocks and whatnot. We’re havin’ a party t’night. Dawn’s last night – gonna make it a night t’ remember.”

All three brightened considerably. Now that was a mission they could get into! Shopping!

**~**

“Annie, please,” Buffy begged her daughter at the mall later. “Just pick one you like. It doesn’t have to be … organic. You aren’t eating it, for Christ's sake … it’s a dress!”

Annie frowned as she searched the racks for something – anything – that seemed ‘earth friendly’. All the dresses she really liked, the satiny and silky ones, she knew weren’t earth friendly at all. She wasn’t sure about the cotton ones – cotton was renewable, but was it grown and harvested with respect? She had no idea. There were a few things made from ‘100% Natural Bamboo’, which boasted being renewable and organic, but mostly just t-shirts and yoga pants and stuff like that, not dresses. Buffy and Dawn had already gotten their new dresses – four stores ago.

“Annie,” Dawn began. “We just have to do the best we can. Sometimes even Gertie has to make concessions.”



Annie looked at Dawn with a furrowed brow and sighed. “Don’t you believe what she said? About Mother Earth and reincarnation and stuff? You think so much of her, but you don’t, you know, do what she does.”

Dawn shrugged. “I … well … I do what I can, but I’m just not that …” Dawn sighed heavily. “To tell the truth, I just like bacon-cheeseburgers too much to go ‘all in’. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think Gertie is amazing.  I really admire her tenacity and I know she’s really smart – she’s helped me sooo much in so many ways. I just don’t have that much will-power.

“One thing you’ll learn later from Gertie is that ‘one step at a time’ is fine. One minute today, two minutes tomorrow. If you do one small thing each day for Mother Earth, then that’s all it takes. It’s a process – you don’t have to do everything all at once. Even she didn’t start out from birth totally … ‘at one with the Mother’,” Dawn explained, using air-quotes at the end. “She got there with small steps. I know how inspiring she is. If it weren’t for her sincerity and belief, I probably would’ve never figured out how to use my power, but even she wouldn’t expect you do change everything overnight.”

Annie bit her bottom lip as she thought that over. Gertie had said something similar to her just that morning. ‘One minute today, two minutes tomorrow.’ She looked at the one dress she really liked. It was a fairly simple sleeveless, A-line dress with a full skirt in a rich royal blue taffeta. The only adornment was a line of hand-rolled taffeta roses in a slightly darker blue that encircled the waist. It was simple and elegant and would look great with her dark hair and complexion.

Annie wondered how silkworms were treated. She realized she had no idea how they lived or what they ate or how long they lived. Were their little souls happy to just make silk for people to use to make clothes? Did it give them a sense of contribution to something larger than themselves, or did it just make them unhappy to do all that work and have it taken away? Two days ago, she would’ve have given the silkworms a single thought.

“The fact that you’re even thinking about silkworms is a step that Gertie would be proud of,” Dawn interjected, as if reading Annie’s mind.

Annie rolled her eyes but allowed a small smile to quirk her lips. “I really like this one,” she admitted, holding the dress up in front of her.

“It’s beautiful,” Buffy interjected, giving her daughter an encouraging smile. “The silkworms can attend the party vicariously through the dress. See? Dancing silkworms! Hey – you could even spill a drop or two of champagne on it for them. How many worms get to go dancing and get drunk? You’re actually doing them a favor buying that dress!”

“Mooom,” Annie moaned, rolling her eyes. “I don’t think it works that way.”



“Why not? I mean … if everything’s all intertwined – all ‘children of the Mother’, then maybe there are little silkworm souls woven through the thread of the dress,” Buffy posited. “It’s just as possible as a beet having a soul.”

Dawn cleared her throat and gave Buffy a ‘shut up’ glare. “I think the point is … that you’re thankful to the silkworms for their efforts and you honor them by appreciating their contribution to your happiness. Maybe to honor them, you could research how they live and how silk is harvested, and do a paper on it at school,” Dawn suggested. “One step at a time,” she repeated, giving Annie a reassuring nod.

Annie considered this a moment and nodded her agreement. That would be something she could do – she could let other people know what silkworms did, how they lived, and how they contributed to the world. She was good at research and writing papers – it was a perfect way for Annie to honor them.

Buffy blew out a relieved breath at Annie’s decision. Finally!

Annie went to try the dress on, Buffy and Dawn following behind her. “You know, I really should kill you for bringing Annie to meet that nut-case,” Buffy told Dawn in a low voice.

Dawn smiled. “I told you she was a little over the top and quirky,” she defended. “You said she would fit right in.”

“A little over the top and quirky?” Buffy questioned sarcastically. “She makes Euell Gibbons eating pinecones look perfectly normal and sane!”



“I think he ate pine nuts… and Grape Nuts,” Dawn corrected.

“Same difference,” Buffy retorted, waving an arm dismissively. “Annie thinks Gertie’s like … Gandhi or Mother Theresa or something: all knowing. That witch doesn’t know any more than anyone else. She’s no different than any other religious zealot – she takes stuff on faith and states it as fact. She believes – she doesn’t know. No one knows, not even Gandhi. But Annie thinks she does – she thinks everything Gertie said is fact. There is no fact in faith – that’s why it’s called faith and discussed in these things called Bibles and Korans and rainbow-colored, New Age websites, not the damn Encyclopedia Britannica.”

Dawn shrugged. “There’s nothing wrong with a little faith, Buffy. And what Gertie believes is just as reasonable as anyone else’s faith. And even you have to admit that the idea of different realms and your soul moving through them is something you can believe in. You have firsthand experience with that … gee, that’s kinda like … knowing.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Fine. Realms … I get it – do good, go forward; do bad, go backwards; do mediocre, try again. I can buy that. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Even the craziest people can make some good points. It doesn’t mean that you have to take everything they say as truth. Annie doesn’t understand that. She’s too young and impressionable to really get that it’s ok to take what makes sense, but weed out what’s just … gobbledygook. I’m sorry, but beets do not have souls.”

“You don’t know that,” Dawn argued. “And, regardless of that, is there really anything wrong with Annie thinking about the impact of her actions on other living things? The impact on the environment?”

“Yeah, well, I notice you didn’t think twice about silkworms or the environment before buying that dress of yours,” Buffy pointed out, eyeing the garment bag Dawn had slung over her shoulder.

“True – but when I first met Gertie I was a lot like Annie. I tried really hard to follow her ideals. I still do what I can, but I don’t have her unwavering will-power … or, to be honest, her faith. Annie will mellow, trust me. She’ll get bored trying to eat nothing but organic, vegan stuff. If you want to really bring her back to earth, let her try to grow a garden!” Dawn snorted softly. “That’ll wake her right up! It did me! Man, that was a total disaster! You know, Anya was totally right about bunnies: they are evil little creatures. If they have souls, they’re demonic little souls … like vampires in training.”



Buffy laughed and nodded, letting her agitation fade. “Been there, done that … got the t-shirt.”

Annie came out of the dressing room and turned in a circle for her mom and Dawn. “Oh, Annie! That’s so beautiful! You look so grown up! Your dad’s gonna melt when he sees you in that,” Buffy gushed.

Annie’s smile widened and her eyes glittered at the thought of her dad melting. She giggled and turned to go back into the dressing room. “I need new shoes to go with it – heels!” she called back over her shoulder.

“See?” Dawn said, knocking her shoulder against Buffy’s lightly. “She already forgot that most shoes are made out of cow hide and petroleum-based plastic which has a half-life of a thousand years or more.”

Buffy laughed lightly and rolled her eyes. Despite Annie’s eco-faux pas, why did Buffy still have the feeling that the solar panel and windmill discussion wasn’t over yet? And she knew those recycle bins, which had been in the garage, unused for three years, would be in the house no later than Sunday. Oh yes, their eldest daughter could be just as stubborn as her parents when she got an idea in her head.

**~**

“Stop fidgeting,” Buffy admonished Dani as she worked to tame the girl’s long blonde hair into a classic chignon. Dani stomped an impatient foot down on the floor of the bathroom and tugged at the skirt of her new dress – again. A giant sigh fell from her throat, her chest heaving dramatically with the effort.

She’d gotten the least frilly dress her dad would allow when she’d gone shopping with him and Billy the previous day while Buffy, Dawn, and Annie were at Gertie’s. It was a floor-length, sleeveless, satin princess dress with a rounded collar and an empire waist. The top was white; the flared skirt was black with a white, lacy, dust-ruffle on the bottom. Where the white and black met at her waist, there was a wide red sash. The sash had had a big, flouncy bow on it that sat on her left hip when they bought it. It didn’t have the bow anymore. It was still too prissy for her.

“I don’t like dresses. They’re too … girly,” she complained. “I don’t know why I have to wear a dress. Billy doesn’t have to wear a dress – he gets to wear pants.”

“Billy’s a boy,” Buffy explained as if this was some news to Dani. “Boys wear suits to fancy parties, girls wear dresses.”



“That’s a stupid rule. Who made up that rule? Boys, probably,” Dani complained dourly, folding her arms over her chest in disgust.

Buffy sighed as Dani’s long, voluminous mass of hair fell out of the up-do. Each individual hair was fine and soft, and the girl had a lot of it. Her silken tresses were simply too heavy for the pins and bands to hold it all up for very long. The glossy locks just slipped right through their would-be captors like Houdini slipped out of handcuffs.

“Ok, how about a French braid, then?” Buffy suggested, more to herself than Dani.

“Whatever…” Dani moaned. “Why can’t I just wear it down? Billy doesn’t have to have his hair up.”

“Billy’s a boy,” Buffy explained again.

Dani rolled her eyes in the mirror over the sink as her mom removed the ineffectual pins and began to brush her daughter’s hair out again. “Then he should have to cut his hair shorter, like a boy,” Dani snarled the last word like it left a sour taste in her mouth.

“His hair isn’t that long,” Buffy argued as she divided her daughter’s hair into three strands between her fingers and began to braid.

“It’s not as short as Papa’s,” Dani shot back, her whole body swaying as her mother pulled her strands of hair tight with one hand, then the other, weaving them into a braid.

“And it’s not as long as your buddy David Beckham’s,” Buffy pointed out. “So, what’s your point?”

Dani rolled her eyes again. “Maybe I could get my hair cut short, then I wouldn’t have to wear it up,” she suggested.

“Oh, but your hair’s so pretty. And your papa really likes it long,” Buffy cajoled. She knew better than to just say, ‘No, you can’t cut your hair,’ to Dani. That would be like daring her to cut it herself with a pair of pinking shears or a kitchen knife or something.

“If Papa likes long hair, then why do I have to wear it up?” Dani argued as Buffy finished the braid, tucking the tail up and under the French braid itself and pinning it in place.

“There!” Buffy announced finally, ignoring her daughter’s question, to which she really didn’t have an answer. “Beautiful. Like a proper lady.”

Dani rolled her eyes again. Her only consolation was that none of her schoolmates or teammates from soccer or her minor league baseball team would be at the party.

**~**

When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
When we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart.
~Harvest Moon, Neil Young


**~**
 
The party was supposed to start at eight that evening. Buffy was late, as usual. It didn’t help that she had to get Dani ready and help Annie, as well as get herself all gussied up. At least Spike had taken it on himself to help Billy get into his miniature tuxedo and he’d gotten ‘Kenzie tucked into her crib, taking those responsibilities off Buffy’s shoulders.

Now Spike and Billy, along with Bess, Dawn, and the rest of their friends, all dressed to the nines, waited downstairs for the remaining Weckerly women to emerge. Dawn’s party couldn’t officially begin until the rest of the family made their entrance. Of course, the warm-up party was in full swing – everyone had a drink of one type or another as they talked and waited in the great room for the real party to begin.

When Buffy, Annie, and Dani finally appeared at the top of the stairs, Spike couldn’t stop the goofy grin that spread across his lips. His girls were a vision in their finery. He rarely got to see them so dressed up – they really needed to have fancy-dress parties more often. Buffy returned his smile as the three of them started down, and Spike and Billy moved away from their guests to meet the ladies at the foot of the stairs.



Annie and Dani were lovely in their satin and lace, looking like the reflections of the beautiful women they’d one day be. But Buffy outshone then both; she was dazzling – stunning, really – in her shimmering, golden, beaded, and bejeweled dress. Between her inner-glow and the reflections which bounced off the sequins and beads of her form-fitting gown, Spike was bathed, nearly drowned, in her effulgence. The spaghetti straps of the gown and the tea-length scarf-hem, from which more strands of golden beads fell, dancing against her legs as she moved, allowed enough skin to show to make him want to reach out and touch her.



He stared up at her as the three descended the stairs, taking her in – soaking up the beauty of her, letting it fill him with that old feeling that never grew old. He was suddenly back in the Bronze watching her dance, watching her move for the first time – the stirring in the pit of his stomach was exactly the same. The nearer she got, the hotter the fire inside him burned until his heart and soul were engulfed yet again. His trousers had suddenly gotten a bit too snug, and he shifted from foot to foot, trying to ease his discomfort. It wasn’t really working. He met Buffy’s eyes for the briefest of moments; the devilish smile that played on her lips and danced in the depths of her emerald eyes told him that she knew exactly what she was doing to him and that she was enjoying it.

Spike pulled his gaze away from his wife’s and turned his attention to Dani and Annie. Dani was still fiddling uneasily with the sash around her middle as well as the skirt, and looking like she’d rather be absolutely anywhere else. He had to stifle a chuckle at her discomfort – she looked like a little doll, or she would have if she could’ve smiled a bit and stopped fidgeting. Annie, on the other hand, had always been a girly-girl and now she looked like a princess. She walked with the grace of a dancer, carried herself with the knowledge that she looked good, really good – and she certainly did. She was growing up so fast – too fast. Spike was suddenly very glad that it was only ‘family’ here and that blighter she was so enthralled with, Johnny … something-or-other, was not in attendance. He was fairly certain he would’ve had to kill the hormone-charged, pre-teen if the prat had seen this vision of beauty that was their eldest daughter.

Buffy’s breath caught in her throat as Spike and Billy stepped up to the bottom of the stairs to greet them. They both looked so dashing in their matching tuxes: black jackets, black slacks, black ties, white shirts, and red vests. Their vests, Buffy noted, were the same red as the sash on Dani’s dress. Had Spike planned that or had he just gotten lucky? With Spike, you could never actually tell.

Spike looked good in anything – and he looked even better in nothing at all – but in a tux he looked … debonair. He looked like he’d be perfectly at ease rubbing elbows with royalty or prime ministers or presidents. Buffy shrugged to herself – he probably would. After over a century, there weren’t many situations that intimated him. In his duster and jeans, he could fit in with the roughest crowd of humans or demons, pounding back shots and playing pool or shooting darts. In a tux, he could sip champagne and attend an opera or a symphony, or, more likely, a Shakespeare play, with the uppiest of the upper-crust. About the only time she remembered him really coming undone was when MacKenzie was born – in the cemetery at midnight with just the two of them there to handle it. Maybe if he’d been wearing scrubs he could’ve handled it better. The clothes make the man, right?

She smiled down at her two handsome Williams – because dressed like this, they were definitely Williams – not Spike and Billy. Billy looked so serious as he waited with his father, copying Spike’s stance, his manner, even shifting back and forth from foot to foot when Spike did. Buffy bit her bottom lip to keep from laughing as her eyes met Spike’s. She’d seen that uneasy movement before and knew what it meant, even though his jacket covered the front of his slacks and concealed the reason for his discomfort. Of course, Spike could rarely actually stand still, so it was doubtful anyone else would even notice what he was trying to do. It was so cute how Spike met her eyes then looked away, like if he stared at her for too long he’d simply burst … perhaps literally.
 
As the three of them reached the bottom of the stairs, Buffy leaned into her husband and kissed his cheek.

“You look ravishing,” Spike whispered to her, his breath cool against her skin.



Buffy’s grin widened. “And you look dashing … very 007.”

“Which one?” he asked. “Fair warnin’: if you say Timothy Dalton, I will have to kill you.”

Buffy laughed. “I was thinking classic Bond – Connery or Roger Moore.”

Spike lifted his chin considering this, then nodded, apparently satisfied. He turned to Dani, but continued talking to Buffy. “Where’d ya get this fetching young lass? Don’t recall seeing ‘er ‘round here before.”

“Papaaa,” Dani moaned, rolling her eyes.

“Did you hear that, Slayer? She talks like our Lemon Drop … but she looks like a right little girl,” Spike continued to tease.

Dani rolled her eyes again. “Can we eat now? All this … dressing up made me hungry.”

Spike laughed and nodded. “If you lot didn’t take ten-forevers t’ get ready, ya wouldn’t be wasted away to nothing by the time ya got here.”

“Don’t blame me,” Dani defended. “It wasn’t my idea to spend five years trying to put my hair up. If you like my hair long, then why do I have to put it up, anyway?”

“Ahhh, well … proper ladies wear their hair up so that later they can let it down, pet,” Spike explained, giving Buffy a meaningful look.

Dani sighed. “That sounds dumb.”

“One day, you’ll understand,” Buffy assured her.

“We can bloody well hope not,” Spike mumbled, turning his eyes to Annie. “And you look a right vision, Nibblet. What happened t’ my little girl? Seems like just yesterday I took the training wheels off your bike, and look at ya now. You’d stop bloody traffic walking across the street.”

Annie smiled and blushed under his scrutiny. “Thanks, Dad,” she muttered, ducking her head and smoothing imaginary wrinkles from her dress.



“You do realize I’d never let ya leave the house in that dress, yeah? Cause me t’ kill some poor sod, it would.”

Annie laughed and looked back up at him. “What are you gonna do on prom night … or homecoming?”

“Lock ya in the basement,” Spike replied without a moment’s thought, completely serious.

Annie laughed again and slapped his arm lightly. “You are such a liar.”

“I think he’s serious,” Buffy interjected.

“As a bloody heart attack,” he agreed. “But, that’s not t’night,” he continued, his tone lightening. “Tonight, we dance,” he announced as he turned and offered a crooked elbow to Buffy and one to Annie. Each of them stepped forward and laid a hand on his arm, and he began to lead them to the doors at the back of the house.

Billy copied his father and offered his arm to Dani. She ‘tsked’ her tongue at him, planted her hands on her hips, and clomped heavily behind Spike, Buffy, and Annie.

“You’re supposed to take my arm,” he informed his twin, jogging to catch up to her.

“I’m not blind! I don’t need you to lead me around by the arm,” she retorted.

Billy scrunched up his face in frustration and huffed out a breath.

“I’d be honored if you’d escort me,” Dawn offered, coming up beside Billy.

Billy lifted his chin in defiance and gave Dani a ‘so there!’ look before offering his arm to Dawn. He had to lift his elbow up for her to easily reach it, but in just a moment he was mimicking his father, escorting the fair maiden towards the back door.

Spike pushed open the door that led to their back yard and Buffy gasped in surprise as they stepped into the cool, fall air and into a different world. The back yard had been transformed into a candlelit oasis. Soft music played, resonating through unseen speakers that must’ve been hidden in the bushes or behind trees. The walkways were lined with paper lanterns, each with a candle burning within. Off to one side there was a self-serve bar, including bottles of wine and champagne, as well as harder liquor and mixers. A long table of hors d'oeuvres sat to one side of the bar, and yet another table of fancy-looking desserts – the greatest majority being some form of chocolate – was on the other side.



Above them, criss-crossing the yard, strung from tree to tree, were more colorful, paper lanterns. Buffy hoped they didn’t have candles in them, although their soft glow made her think they might. Twinkling, white fairy-lights hung down from the branches of the trees, as well, making the backyard feel as if it were floating much too near the stars. There were scatterings of tables with floor-length, white tablecloths and soft, comfortable chairs placed about the yard. In the back corner, a wooden dance floor had been erected, slightly higher than the surrounding lawn. A few fire-pits were spaced around the yard, all glowing warm with red-orange coals, to take the chill out of the air.



Buffy, Spike, and Annie stopped just outside the door to welcome the rest of the guests into the transformed back garden.

“Wow – you guys! This is … wow!” Dawn gushed as she and Billy made it to them. “You better save me a dance or three,” she told Spike, poking a finger against his chest.

“No worries, got ya penciled in on my dance card, pet,” he told Dawn with a flirty smile. Dawn swooned; that smile still made her legs go weak, even after all this time.

“Can I have a dance too?” Billy asked, looking up at Dawn.

Dawn smiled and nodded. “You can have the very first dance,” she replied as they kept walking.

“Annie, I’d dance with you if you want,” JJ offered nonchalantly as he came by, following Billy and Dawn.

“Do you even know how to dance?” she asked, looking down at him dubiously.

“Of course I do!” JJ asserted before showing off a jerky, robot-dance move.

Annie rolled her eyes but let go of her father’s arm and walked grudgingly with JJ. “I hope that isn’t the only dance you know,” she told him as they moved away.



“Wow, Spike – it came out really cool,” Xander admitted as he and Anya stopped in front of their hosts.

“’Course it did – my bloody idea, wasn’t it?”

“Oh, yeah – we all know how great your ideas always turn out,” Xander taunted. “Oh! Food! I hope you have those little pigs-in-a-blanket things – they’re the best!”

“Xander! You don’t serve pigs-in-a-blanket at fancy dress soirees,” Anya chastised him.

“You don’t? Why not? They’re classic! The perfect combination of protein and carbohydrates with a smattering of fatty goodness. All the food groups are covered in one perfect, compact package,” Xander argued as Anya pulled him towards the buffet table.



“You’ve quite outdone yourself, Spike,” Giles offered as he looked around. “It’s quite … festive. If I had known there was an oriental theme, I could’ve worn my traditional, ceremonial Kimono. I so rarely get an opportunity to bring it out of the closet.”

“Shame that,” Spike drawled. “I’ll be sure t’ tell you next time, Rupert – wouldn’t want you keepin’ anything hidden away in the closet.”

As Giles walked away, Buffy whispered, “Do not ever have another oriental-themed party.”

“Hey! Check me out!” Faith beamed at them. She held her hands away from her body and twirled in front of Spike and Buffy. She had on a floor-length, body-hugging, shimmering blue dress. An honest-to-goodness, red-carpet-worthy evening gown! She even had her long hair piled up on top of her head with just a few stray locks falling down to make it look elegantly disheveled.



She handed Buffy her Smartphone. “Take my picture – I want to send it to Lindsey. He’s gonna be sooo freaked out!”

“No doubt,” Spike agreed. “I reckon he’s never got a picture o’ you with clothes on before.”

“Jealous?” Faith drawled, narrowing her eyes at Spike and sticking her tongue out at him just as Buffy clicked the picture.

“Wait! Do one with a smile so at least he’ll know you can act normal for short periods of time,” Buffy teased, holding the phone up again and waiting for Faith to pose properly.

“Thanks, B!” Faith chirped, taking the phone back. She began checking out the pictures and tapping her finger on the phone as she headed for the bar.

“Hey guys! Great party!” Clem greeted them next as he and his date, Cheval, entered the back yard.



“It hasn’t actually started yet, Clement,” Spike pointed out.

Clem shrugged and raised his pre-party beer up in a mock-toast. “It has for me! Oh – you remember Cheval, right … from Willy’s?” he asked, stepping back slightly and waving his free hand toward his date.

“‘Course,” Spike replied. “This is my wife, Buffy … the Vampire Slayer.”

“I think we met one time … at the bar,” Buffy admitted, extending her hand to the woman and trying not to stare at all the long, waving, bluish-white antennae that protruded from her face and head like some kind of sea anemone. She half-expected to see Nemo swim out of them at any moment.

 

“Were you ever able to get in the Sky Sports Channel on your satellite?” the demon woman asked Buffy, shaking her hand with a cool, damp, limp mitten-like appendage.

“Spike decided he didn’t need it after all,” Buffy told her. “I guess he found something else to occupy his time.”

“Well, if you ever need any help adjusting your satellite, you let me know,” Cheval offered. “I can pick up thousands of channels … in every language you can imagine. You wouldn’t believe some of the things I see! And humans think demons are weird and kinky!” Cheval giggled. Her bluish skin turned a shade of mauve, apparently from embarrassment, and all her antenna seemed to quiver a bit.

Buffy laughed lightly and thanked her as Clem pulled his date away towards the bar. “How can Clem date her? How do you … like ... do anything with all those…” Buffy waved her fingers around her face and head, simulating Cheval’s antenna.

Spike smirked. “What I hear, she’s right talented with those …” Spike waggled his fingers around his face, mimicking Buffy’s impersonation of Cheval.



Buffy cocked a brow at him and he shrugged. “Got no first-hand knowledge, o’ course.”

“Better not…” Buffy warned, trying to make her voice sound threatening – but it fell short.

“Course, the prospect o’ getting twenty-four hour footie on the Sky Sports Channel was right temptin’,” Spike teased.

Buffy snorted and rolled her eyes.

Wes and Fred came in next. “Oh, you guys,” Fred drawled. “This is just so darn pretty! This would be so perfect for a spring weddin’ reception.”

Buffy’s brows shot up. “Are you … getting married?”

Fred shrugged and giggled. “Well, not right now, but, you know, maybe one day.”

“Oh,” was all Buffy could think to say. Wes looked utterly defeated as he and Fred walked away. It looked as if he’d given up on the idea of them actually getting married one day. Buffy wondered if Fred would ever really, permanently leave L.A. and let her attachment to Angel fade. As smart as Fred was, Buffy couldn’t understand how she could not see what type of person the dark vamp was, regardless of the heroics he managed to achieve between bouts of Angelus-itus.



“Hey you two beautiful souls!” Lorne greeted them, sweeping into the garden with a flourish. He was dressed smartly for the party, but still with his usual flair for color. He was a vision of purple, red, and green. His tuxedo jacket and slacks, including long tails and a top hat, was a vibrant purple, while the vest and bow tie he wore were cherry-red and both sparkled with sequins. His skin, of course, added the green. It sort of reminded Buffy of something The Joker in Batman would wear.

“Lorne!” she greeted him, grabbing both his hands in both of hers. “You made it!”

“I wouldn’t miss one of your parties, Sunshine,” he told Buffy. “You guys really know how to have fun! Either that or it’s a complete and disastrous blow-out … literally. Either way, I wouldn’t want to miss it!

“Now, where is my little girlfriend?” he asked, looking around for Annie.

Buffy smiled and pointed at the dance floor where JJ was jerking and popping his joints in approximate time to the music. He was near Annie, but she was mostly just standing there glaring at him.

“Reckon she’d fancy being rescued from a fate worse than death: dancing with the whelp,” Spike encouraged the green demon.

“He’s no MJ…” Lorne admitted, flashing a bright smile at Buffy and Spike before heading off to rescue her.

“Mr. and Mrs. Weckerly,” Troy greeted them as he and Bess came out of the house. Spike extended his hand and shook Troy’s, as did Buffy. She was glad to have a firm, warm, dry hand to shake after Cheval’s limp, wet one. “For being, you know, parents and well … uhhh, older, you folks really know how to throw an awesome party.”

Buffy’s brows shot up. The words, ‘I’m not that old!’ were cut off by Spike. “Well, just lucky Depends makes these new slim fit, but super absorbent, undies nowadays,” Spike said brightly, patting his own firm butt. “No worries ‘bout leakin’ on the dance floor. Can’t even tell we got ‘em on, can ya?” he asked, turning a bit from side to side as if modeling for Troy.

“Uhhh …” Troy stammered, looking from Spike to Buffy, and then to Bess for help.

Bess rolled her eyes, shook her head, and pulled Troy away. “You really can’t tell at all,” he was saying to Bess as she led him to a table.

“Dolt,” Spike growled under his breath.

Buffy sighed and shook her head. “He’s just young.”

“And a dolt,” Spike added.

“And possibly a dolt sometimes,” Buffy agreed. “But Bess likes him … a lot. You should try to be nice to him. He may be your son-in-law one day.”



“Pfffft,” Spike snorted as he watched them heading to the dance floor as a slow, romantic song began playing through the speakers. “Harris has more sense.”

“Harris is already married,” Buffy pointed out.

Spike blew out a breath. “Don’t reckon she’d wait a few years for the whelp.”

Buffy watched Troy fold Bess into his embrace as they danced, their bodies molding together effortlessly. “I wouldn’t count on it.”

Buffy looked around at their friends and family in their finest clothes, all now chatting, eating, drinking, or dancing, and a sudden, strong feeling of déjà vu came over her. She wasn’t sure why it hadn’t hit her before now. Maybe because things were slightly different – different lanterns, different food, and a different musical playlist – but overall, it was a very close reproduction of the party William had thrown her in their hallucination of 1893 London.

“Spike, how did you know to do this?” Buffy asked, looking at her husband with questioning eyes. “I didn’t think you remembered it … from … that time … during that What’s-it-demon hallucination thingy.”

Spike shrugged. “Don’t remember. Saw it, though … in that house you had hidden away up there in your noggin,” he confessed, tapping a finger on her temple. “You looked so bloody happy there, Avengelyne,” Spike admitted, giving her an adoring smile and a quick wink.



Buffy blinked back tears that suddenly welled in her eyes, and nodded. “It was a magical night – we danced in the moonlight … all night long. Didn’t actually go to bed until dawn.”

Spike looked up at the harvest moon that hung like a sentinel, large and bright, watching over them from the heavens. “Sounds like a bloody brilliant plan, pet.”
 
**~**
 
{{  Click here to hear Harvest Moon, Neil Young on YouTube  }}

Come a little bit closer
Hear what I have to say
Just like children sleepin'
We could dream this night away.

But there's a full moon risin'
Let's go dancin' in the light
We know where the music's playin'
Let's go out and feel the night.

Because I'm still in love with you
I want to see you dance again
Because I'm still in love with you
On this harvest moon.

When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
When we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart.

But now it's gettin' late
And the moon is climbin' high
I want to celebrate
See it shinin' in your eye.

Because I'm still in love with you
I want to see you dance again
Because I'm still in love with you
On this harvest moon.
End Notes:
More of the party coming up - actually, it will be more the 'after party' moondance next. ;-)
Moondance by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Dawn’s send-off party draws to a close but the moondance is far from over.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
Small hours of the morning, Sunday, September 11th, 2011:



And so, Buffy and Spike danced.

They danced with each other, with their children, and with their friends.

They danced until their children, one by one, succumbed to exhaustion. Then they carried them up to their beds, ignoring half-hearted protests of ‘I’m not tired’ or ‘Just one more dance’, kissed them goodnight, and tucked them in.

They danced until their friends, by ones and twos, drunk with more than just liquor, peeled away. They were all intoxicated with the joy of having spent a magical night under the glowing moon: dancing, laughing, eating, and, yes, a bit of drinking. But mostly they spent the night connecting; soaking up the happiness that comes with knowing that you belong, you are part of something larger than yourself. You are not alone. You have a family – perhaps a weird and dysfunctional family whose theme music sounds strangely like the theme to ‘The Twilight Zone’, but a family, nonetheless.

And now, with only the luminous, full moon to light the garden, the Slayer and the vampire still danced. The music from Spike’s iPod still played softly in the background, but, after the revelry of the party, there seemed to be no other sound. No voices, no laughter, no feet dancing on the wooden floor. Spike sat on one end of the bench swing that hung from one of the large oak limbs, swaying the swing with his feet to the slow beat of the music. Buffy lay next to him, her head in his lap, her shoes discarded in the grass at the base of the tree, her bare feet dangling over the arm of the swing. Spike’s right arm lay across her stomach, his larger hand covering hers, their fingers intertwined. His left hand absently twirled a lock of her hair that had fallen from her up-do.
 
They stayed like that, swaying gently under the stars, neither talking, for a long while. It was like neither one wanted to break the spell by speaking or even really moving. There are few perfect moments in life, but Buffy knew she’d remember this as one of them. After the nightmare of the Gift-less universe, after trying soooo hard to fix things and then dying, yet again, she could think of little that could equal the perfection of a night spent laughing and dancing with her friends and family. And then to have the night end like this, just the two of them under the moon: serene, quiet, at peace. Yes, it was a perfect moment.

She wanted to capture it, to put it in a jar like sand from her favorite beach and have it with her forever. She wanted to hold it in her heart so she could bring it out and breathe in the joy of it anytime things were bad – because moments like this didn’t last, and things would get bad again. It was their life. It was inevitable.

A small sigh escaped her throat and Spike’s eyes met hers. “Happy, pet?”

Buffy smiled and nodded her head against his thigh. “Too happy.”

He nodded. He knew what she meant. It was always a little scary when things were too good. Too happy. Too perfect. There was only one direction you go if you were at the top of the mountain: down. Their life was like a rollercoaster ride. The moment things became even and level, with no bumps, dips, or rises, that would be the day the devil would need snow shoes and God melted down those streets of gold and high-tailed it for greener pastures.



But that wasn’t this moment. This moment they were at the top … or, if one were optimistic, they might even still be climbing. Yeah … maybe they were still climbing, still clicking up the rollercoaster towards the pinnacle. Maybe there were still higher heights left to reach.

Spike leaned down towards her and Buffy lifted her head off his leg as if being pulled by an invisible force. Their lips met somewhere in the middle, soft and gentle under the midnight sky and winking stars. It was a slow, sensuous thing; swaying in the cool night air, tasting each other, making the moment even more perfect. Could perfect become ‘more’, linguistically speaking? Apparently it could, because it just did.



When the kiss broke, just as gently as it had begun, the beads on Buffy’s dress seemed to sing, tinkling against each other as she slid her legs off the swing. The moonbeams that trickled through the oak canopy caressed the shiny sequins and glass baubles of Buffy’s dress and made her body glimmer as she stood up. Their hands were still tangled together, slightly awkwardly now, Spike’s palm against the back of her hand, their fingers still entwined. She turned and wrapped his arm around her middle as he stood up behind her and their hands were perfect again. His hand over hers, protective, nurturing; his arm around her slim waist, pulling her back against his front, their bodies melding, adding to the perfection of the night.

Spike’s cheek was against hers, both of his arms wrapped around her now. She could feel his breath, cool against her skin. For being undead, how could he feel so very alive – always? For being so cool to the touch, how could he always burn her so completely? She remembered William – from the hallucination and from when she actually went back in time. He had been warm; he’d had a heartbeat, a pulse. Spike had none of that now, but she had enough for both of them. Her heartbeat was his. Her warmth was his. Her pulse, her blood pounding in her veins, it was his. It was only fair: he was the one that made her heart race, made her body flush with heat. He was the one that had given her his passion and let her make it her own all those many years ago. Just be.

Buffy began to sway her hips gently from side to side as she pressed back against him. The strands of glass beads moved with her, lyrical in the silence. Silence. She just realized the music had stopped playing. The only sounds were the low roar of distant cars on the freeway and crickets chirping.

“♫We get it on most every night,
“when that moon gets big and bright.
“It’s a supernatural delight,
“everybody’s dancing in the moonlight.
“Do-do-do-do-do…♫” she began to sing softly.
 
She smiled, remembering that night she and Spike had escaped into William and Avengelyne and danced under the moon. The night that Spike had recreated for her: this perfect night.
 
“♫Everybody here is outta sight,
“They don't bark and they don't bite,
“They keep things loose, they keep things light
“Everybody's dancing in the moonlight, ♫” Spike picked up, his deep basso voice vibrating the air around her.

That was the verse she’d forgotten before! Of course Spike would know all the words … all the right words even, and not fill in with ‘do-do-dos’.

Buffy closed her eyes, moaned, and swayed with him as Spike’s voice continued crooning the song, soft and low, against her ear. She took pleasure in the sound of his voice, the feel of his body against hers, his arms holding her tight, the hard bulge that pressed against the soft flesh of her hip. That passion he’d allowed her to take from him, to nurture as her own, during those first heady days of their life together, never lessened his own. He’d had passion to spare, a deep, unending well of it – he still did, it seemed. Passion for her. Passion for their family. Passion for the life they’d built atop the rockiness that was their beginning.



She smiled to herself and turned in his arms as their hips continued to sway gently to and fro. They’d been through so much over the years, but the one constant that transcended everything was the passion. Even when they were fighting, crying, screaming, or threatening to kill one another it was there: passion. They did everything passionately; right or wrong, it didn’t matter, they would give their all. But the thing that set their passion ablaze faster than anything else were moments like this. Intimate. Romantic. Sexy. Hungry. Need for one another was the flintrock that ignited the coals of desire and fanned the flames of their passion.

When Spike stopped singing, Buffy lifted up onto her bare tiptoes in the grass and touched her lips to his. Their bodies still swayed to unheard music as their tongues and lips joined the dance. Spike pulled her closer, lifting her up until she could barely feel the grass tickling her toes, and deepened the kiss. Her body tingled and throbbed for him. Her lace panties dampened in anticipation as she pressed her hips against his growing erection and wrapped her arms around his neck. His tongue delved into her mouth, tasting, teasing … promising more.

“So beautiful, you are, in the moonlight, Buffy,” he whispered against her lips. “Want to love you under the stars … see your rapture explode like a comet. Outshine the moon, you will.”

Buffy’s eyes darted around to the dark windows above them. The only neighbors that could see into their backyard were, of course, the Katzes. Annie, Dani, and Billy’s rooms all overlooked the backyard too. It was late, though – very late – everyone would be fast asleep. Spike kissed her again, more urgent this time. His hands began lifting the hem of her dress, sliding under, up her thighs, up …up …. Oh God.

Buffy’s body arched into him as he caressed her through her panties; his fingers danced across the damp lace, teasing her, tempting her. Her pulse quickened and her blood raced away from the part of her brain where caution lived. All she could think about was how his body would look in the moonlight, all dark shadows and hard angles; how the night air would raise goose-bumps on her skin as he made love to her; how the soft, damp grass would feel, cool and refreshing against her back as he pressed into her – igniting her.

She took a step back, reluctantly breaking the contact of his fingers against her throbbing womanhood. She took another step, and another, grabbing his hand in hers as she went, pulling him out into the shower of silver moonbeams in the center of the yard and away from the cover of the oak tree.



His eyes were locked on hers as they walked – danced really, a slow, sauntering dance – out into the open. As they moved out from under the shaded canopy, the color of his eyes shifted from the deep blue of a bottomless ocean to the cerulean blue of cloudless sky on a bright, winter’s day. Flecks of gold danced in them, making Buffy’s heart skip a beat and her breath catch in her throat. Danger! Her Slayer senses were crackling bolts of warning down her spine. She let the warnings spike her adrenaline, heighten her senses, ready her for what was next: a battle or … something just as intense as a battle, but much more enjoyable.

She dropped his hand and Spike stopped walking, even though she took another step or two back. When she slid one thin strap of her dress off her shoulder, however, Spike couldn’t stop himself from moving forward. He kissed the shoulder where the strap had been with pillow-soft lips and Buffy shivered. Spike slipped around her, behind her, and pushed the other strap off. His fingers trailed over her shoulder and down her arm as gently as a feather, and his tongue followed, cool and damp against her hot skin.

“God, Spike…” Buffy moaned, her eyes closing, her knees nearly buckling from just that simple touch.

“So beautiful you are, pet … here under the stars,” he murmured against her golden skin.



Buffy turned her face to his and kissed him over her shoulder. His hands wandered up and down her bare arms, igniting lines of goose bumps in their wake. Then his hands roamed up to her shoulders and to the middle of her back. He found the top of the zipper of her dress and lowered it slowly … inch by inch, never breaking the kiss.

Buffy shivered again. She wasn’t sure if it was from the cool air tickling her skin as Spike slid the zipper down, or just the fact that he was sliding her zipper down that brought on the reaction. When he broke the kiss and his lips and tongue followed the zipper down her bare back, she was pretty sure she didn’t care the cause, as long as it didn’t stop anytime soon.

She moaned her approval as her dress slid off her body and puddled in a heap at her feet. It looked like someone had dumped out a pirate’s treasure chest there on the grass as all the beads and sequins glinted like shiny gold coins in the moonlight. As much as that dress cost, the metaphor seemed apt. Buffy stepped out of the pile of gold and turned to face Spike. There was nothing but a tiny thong of white lace between her and the rays of moonlight now.

Spike moved forward, reaching out to remove that last barrier, when she stopped him by tugging on his bowtie. The knot came loose in her hand and she pulled it off his neck. His jacket had been shed some time ago and laid across a chair somewhere, so she began to unbutton his blood-red vest.

Spike watched her as she worked. She was concentrating very hard, so as to not actually rip any of the buttons off, but simply unbutton them. She didn’t look up from her task, so intent was she.

Unable to gaze into the bottomless depths of her green eyes, he found something else to occupy his attention. Her hair was still up, piled atop her head, and that simply wouldn’t do. While she worked on his vest and shirt, Spike reached both hands up and began plucking hairpins and combs out of her tresses. Golden locks fell down in waves with each movement of his hands – first one on the right, then on the left … a wide section at the back came next. One by one, he dropped gleaming slices of her hair down, making the moon more and more jealous of the shining beauty before him.

By the time Buffy got to his trousers, her hair was loose and free, dancing around her face, over her shoulders, and down her bare back. Spike gasped when she slid his zipper down, brushing her hand deliberately against his hard-on. His eyes glowed more golden for a moment, and in that moment he wanted to throw her down and drive her into the turf with his need. And he knew the chances were good she would have welcomed that, but the night had been romantic, and the full moon and twinkling stars called to his more tender nature … William’s nature. This night was tailor-made for making love.

Spike’s dress pants dropped onto the grass as Buffy’s hands slid down his slim hips. All of Spike’s skin was soft – a century plus of avoiding sunlight apparently had some advantages – but the skin along the sides of his hips was the softest and smoothest of all. Ok, that’s not quite true; there was one lovely bit that was even silkier – she’d get to that in a second. Her hands lingered on his hips as she lowered herself down to her knees to seek the silkiest, and, as chance would have it, most sensitive, part of his body.



She dropped a warm kiss on the tip of his cock then trailed her lips down the satiny-hardness slowly and gently, savoring every ridge and valley.

Spike’s hips jerked slightly and her name came out as a deep, trembling moan from his lips. She swirled her tongue under the deep ridge that separated the glans from the shaft, and his moan deepened.

Her hands dawdled on the side of his hips, still caressing the soft skin there, while her tongue flicked down his erection to his balls. She dropped soft kisses over his tightening sac, licked a slow circle around each testicle in turn, paying due homage to each, and then started up his cock again.

“Bloody hell, Buffy,” Spike whispered, his voice deep and husky with desire. “Always make me feel so good, you do.”

Buffy took him in with an appreciative moan, swallowing his length slowly. Spike’s legs trembled from the strain. She was his Kryptonite: Super-vampire to puddle of mush in three seconds flat. He balanced himself against her shoulders lest he tumble to the grass and her mouth leave his body. He tangled his fingers in her long mane of spun gold, as her hands danced over his hips, his ass, and then down the back of his thighs to his ever-weakening knees.

Between deep moans, hisses, growls, and purrs of pleasure, he couldn’t stop the words from rolling off his tongue like warm honey, even though his ability for conscious thought had abandoned him. “Buffy … mmmm … God, Buffy … oooh … so fucking good … Oh, God, woman … ahhhh … you undo me … burns soooo bloody good, luv.”



The words tumbled down and wrapped Buffy in a blanket of warmth, despite the cool air. She loved giving him pleasure, making his knees quake, his hands tremble, his body quiver with desire. The way he moaned her name filled her with the indubitable knowledge that he was hers, and would forever be hers. Of course he showed her that in so many other ways, but somehow, in moments like this, it seemed to come from somewhere much deeper than his mind, or even his heart. The words seemed to flow directly from his soul, and that made all the difference.

She stood up slowly, her heart filled to overflowing with the fire of his soul, leaving a trail of damp kisses over his hard abs and chest. Her hands skimmed up the hard lines of his body as she rose until she could see into his eyes. His eyes were glassy, but they met hers across the short distance between them. His hands still rested on her shoulders, still steadying himself, as he fought off the dizzying power of her touch.

“I love you, Spike. I … I know I say that a lot … and it might sound … I don’t know … like it’s just habit or something, but I really do.”

Spike looked at her quizzically, tilting his head to the side. “I know ya do, Slayer. I love you too.”



Buffy shook her head slightly and blew a soft, snorting breath out through her nose. “What I’m trying to say is … it just seems too simple. I feel like ‘love’ should be more than a four letter word. It deserves to be … I don’t know – the longest word in the English language. Four letters just doesn’t do it justice – at least it doesn’t convey what I feel. I just want you to know how much I love you … from the bottom of William’s gentle, romantic soul to the top of Spike’s randy, Big Bad, fanged smirk. I love you more than two vowels and two consonants can possibly say.

“I supercalifragilisticexpialidocious you,” she said, sing-songing the ‘Mary Poppins’ word, which is the only way she could actually say it all the way through. “That’s what ‘love’ should be, ya know? More than four little letters.”

Spike’s eyes twinkled with joy and he gave her that heart-swelling, boyish grin he had, the one that always melted her into a pile of goo. “That the longest word ya know, Slayer?” he teased, idly wrapping a lock of her hair around a finger.



Buffy shrugged one bare shoulder. “Pretty much … but extra points for concise and proper lyrical pronunciation.” She grinned back at him.

Spike laughed that deep, rolling laugh that carried you away with its resonance, like a feather being lifted on a warm, summer breeze. “I supercali-whatnot you too, Buffy. Always and forever, pet.”

“Always and forever,” she affirmed as she leaned in and kissed him gently.

He stepped out of his dropped trousers, toeing off his dress shoes in the process. When he’d shed the last of his finery, he hooked his thumbs in the lace of her panties at her hips and slid them down for her to step out of. Spike stood back up slowly, his fingers dancing lightly against her bare skin all the way, and then kissed her swollen lips again, more deeply.

“Dance with me … starkers in the moonlight,” Spike whispered against her lips when she finally had to pull back to breathe.

“There’s no music,” she pointed out, even though she leaned into him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“There’s music … can’t ya hear it?” he asked tilting his head as if he were listening to something. He wrapped his arms around her back, pulled her warm, soft body against his, began to hum, and then sing.

“♫Well, it's a marvelous night for a moondance. With the stars up above in your eyes, a fantabulous night to make romance, 'neath the cover of October skies♫,” he crooned softly.

“It’s actually September,” she corrected, her voice teasing.

“Called poetic license, pet. Ya don’t got a poetic bone in your body, do ya, Slayer?”

Buffy shrugged against him, then trailed one hand down from his neck all the way to his hip. She slipped it between their bodies and wrapped her hot fingers around his hard, erect shaft. “Maybe not … but I love your big, long, sexy, poetic bone.”

Spike sucked in a gulp of air and pulled her hips against him tighter, his fingers splayed against the globes of her ass. He trapped her hand between them, as if she had any desire to move it, and he kept them swaying to the music that continued in his head.

“♫Well, I wanna make love to you tonight,” he picked up again, his voice a low timbre in the still, night air. “♫I can't wait 'til the morning has come. And I know that the time is just right, and straight into my arms you will run. And when you come, my heart will be waiting, to make sure that you're never alone. There and then all my dreams will come true, dear; there and then I will make you my own…♫”

Buffy smiled, letting the rich sound of his voice wash over her as she rested her head against his chest. The grass was soft and damp under their bare feet, the air felt chilly against their skin, and the only light came from the moon and stars, which shone down on them like they were the only lovers in the world at that moment.

As he sang, Spike inched them closer to one of the fire-pits. Inside it, the edges of the embers still glowed orange and warm. A small measure of warmth touched them as they moved together, like they’d done a million times before. Buffy loved the feeling of the cool air on one side and the warmth of the dying fire on the other. She loved the naughtiness of dancing naked outside under the moon, and the almost giddy feeling of freedom that accompanied it. Above all of it, of course, she loved seeing the moonbeams flowing over the contours of Spike’s body. Shadows and lines morphed and changed as he moved, as if the moonbeams were the hands of a sculptor, chiseling stone into just the perfect shape. And, as if all that wasn’t enough, he was singing about making love to her, about never leaving her alone … about a moondance.

“♫Can I just have one a-more moondance with you, my love? Can I just make some more romance with a-you, my love?♫”

She rose up onto her toes, pressing her bare breasts hard against his chest, and stopped his lips with a kiss. “Yes … Make love to me, baby,” she whispered against his mouth when the kiss broke.

“Do better than that,” he replied, a teasing tone to his voice. “I’ll make supercali-what’s-it to ya, luv.”



Buffy giggled and he dipped his head to capture her sweet, soft lips again. As they kissed, his arms still around her, he pressed her gently down onto the grass. They melted onto the ground as if they were one being, slowly, gracefully, the kiss never breaking. The only concession to the movement was Buffy releasing the hold she had on his … poetic bone.

Buffy felt the dew-damp, soft grass against her back and Spike’s cool, hard body above her, and could think of nothing more perfect. The silver light of the moon danced off his sharp lines and hard muscles, making him look even more marble-esque than normal. But for the fact that he was moving and kissing her, he might’ve been a Romanesque statue, created out of thin air by the light of the harvest moon, right there in their garden.

But he was moving – oh God was he moving. It seemed like every appendage he had was caressing her: his hands and fingers and tongue. Even his rock-solid cock was touching her, teasing her, pressing against her soft curves – so fucking hard. Buffy’s heart skipped and skittered in anticipation of him pressing into her – stretching her, filling her, touching her very core.



Spike pulled back to look at her, sitting back slowly between her legs to take her in. He couldn’t help but be awed by the vision before him. His beautiful wife, his Slayer, lay under the moon and stars, looking like the goddess she was. Her hair was splayed over the grass like a haphazard halo. It shone in the light of the heavens, as if the stars had taken up residence in her silky tresses. Her body, all vestiges of her subconscious’ guilt-driven flagellation now faded, was a vision of womanly hills and valleys. She was thinner than she had been before her bout of anorexia – also brought on by her guilt over that time that only she could remember – but she’d put some of the weight back on over the last months. Since he’d wandered around in her mind and helped her fight her ghosties back in July, she’d been able to let the guilt go. Food was her friend again; chocolate was, once again, her BFF. Her curves were back and they looked good. Better than good: bloody, fucking gorgeous.

Spike kissed and nibbled his way up one golden thigh as Buffy moaned and squirmed slightly beneath him. He quickly decided that he couldn’t make proper supercali-what’s-it to her without tasting the sweet, pheromone-laced nectar that lured him like a bee to a field of clover.

His mouth and tongue never left her burning skin as he moved slowly up her thigh, across her hip and then began back down, following her bikini line to her chalice. Her hands reached down, touching his strong shoulders, fumbling and curling in his soft hair, as he spread her pussy lips with two long, lithe fingers. His gentle touch belied the demon’s strength that lay within him, and sent tremors of desire up Buffy’s spine.

Buffy’s hips bucked up when the cool night air invaded her wet folds, straining to remain quiet under the bright moon that was (hopefully) their only witness. They both moaned in a low, husky chorus when Spike’s tongue touched down on her clit. Fireworks danced across her vision when he circled her hard, aching nub with the tip of that talented appendage.

How she’d managed to keep the better part of her sanity all these years was a mystery. He could drive her so completely crazy … in so many ways, but this was her favorite way, by far. Perhaps that had been his intention all those years ago: drive the Slayer insane, make a pet of her or tally another notch in his Slain-Slayer belt. Humph, if that had been his plan, she’d outmaneuvered him by making him just as crazy.

Spike’s tongue pressed into her slick hole while a finger took over duty teasing her clit. Buffy had to pull her hand from his now-disheveled tresses and stuff her fist into her mouth to stifle a cry of bliss. Oh, Spike! God … yes! she managed to funnel through the bond instead of through her vocal cords as her hips bucked up against that inscrutable mouth of his.

Pour your cum over me, Buffy. God, I love to feel you cum…need to taste your ecstasy, he replied just as silently as he began fucking her hard and fast with his tongue. His fingers alternated between gentle teasing and almost violent pounding against her clit as he thrust into her. He curled his long, enigmatic tongue just enough to find her g-spot with the hard tip, raking over it with each stroke.

Buffy felt the edge flying towards her – or maybe she was flying towards it. It didn’t matter, either way worked. With her fist still stuffed solidly in her mouth, she let her mind take that plunge into the blood-red blindness of rapture. Nothing else existed in that moment – nothing but the feeling of falling off the cliff into a river of crimson passion. The stream of ecstasy licked at her skin, burning her with so much pleasure that it was on the verge of pain. It was that fine line that made it so exciting, so alluring, so absolutely, mind-blowingly blissful.

She was vaguely aware of her body convulsing in the soft grass, of air whooshing from her lungs in a torrent of a scream, of Spike’s hands and mouth lifting her higher and higher still – but none of it mattered in that moment. All that mattered was the feeling – a feeling of being absolutely free.

When her eyes opened again, she was gasping for air. Spike was above her, gazing down into her eyes. He was holding her wrist in a strong grip, licking the knuckles of the hand she’d had stuffed into her mouth. She realized she’d bitten herself – drawn blood in her attempt to not announce her bliss to the entire neighborhood. His eyes were a dark midnight-blue again, sheltered from the bright moonlight, as he licked and kissed her shallow wound. But still the flecks of gold shone in their depths, lit by an inner fire; she shivered under his enigmatic gaze.

“Taste like heaven, you do … sweet ambrosia,” Spike whispered to her as he healed the gash on her knuckles with his vampiric saliva. “You drive me bloody wild, Slayer. Can’t get enough o’ you … never get enough.”

Certain that she was no longer in danger of passing out from lack of oxygen or dripping any of her sweet blood onto the ground, Spike dropped his lips to hers. She tasted her juices on him, slick and salty, and her blood added a coppery tinge to the mix. She never thought her blood tasted sweet like he always claimed, but she was no expert; he, of course, was.

She loved tasting herself on his lips, and her channel began to throb again in need. His body covered hers, forcing her down further into the thick grass. Hard, sharp, masculine lines pressed against supple, silken womanly curves – perfect complements. Buffy wrapped her legs around his slim hips, beckoning him into her velvety warmth.

Spike’s hips shifted and she could feel his hardness slide along her wet, sensitive skin. He teased the head of his cock against her clit, grinding his hips against her in lazy circles. She moaned and he covered her mouth with his again, swallowing her moan of pleasure, consuming it just as he had her blood and her cum. Then the swollen head of his manhood was at her slick, throbbing entrance, pushing against her gently … still teasing and taunting her.



Her body tensed in anticipation and she tightened her legs around his hips, silently urging him on. Just when she thought she was going to have to beg or, more likely, flip him over and simply take what she wanted, he pressed harder. Buffy gasped against his lips as he pushed in, her sugar walls stretching around his hard, cool girth, engulfing him in their slick warmth.

“Buffy …” Spike moaned her name as he glided deeper into her.

The sound sent quivers of fire down her spine. It never ceased to amaze her how he could convey so much emotion, so much meaning, in one muttered word: undying love, devotion, loyalty, desire, passion, bliss. His voice was as rich and creamy as chocolate mousse, as deep as the deepest ocean, as smooth as silk, and as soft and warm as a cashmere sweater.
 
Her name on his lips spoke directly to her soul. It filled her heart with the serenity of forever. He would love her forever. He would never let her walk alone. He would be there for all eternity, at her side. He would desire her, yearn for her, with his entire being until their bodies were nothing more than dust – and then he would yearn for her with his spirit, his soul.

“Spike…” Buffy rasped back to him, hoping that he was also filled with that feeling of forever with that one simple word. She hoped that his name falling from her lips spoke to his soul, as well.

Spike’s mouth teased against her lips, not actually kissing but nibbling, licking, and tasting her as his hips began to move against hers.

“Love … you … so … much,” he moaned between nibbles of her honeyed lips.

Buffy smiled against his mouth, nibbling back. She caught his darting tongue between her teeth once and bit down enough to make him squirm before releasing him. “Show … me.”

And, with their bodies bathed the silvery light of the moon, he did.

They both moved together, bodies straining to go slowly and lift each other gently up on the rays of silver light to hover among the moon and stars. Spike kissed a line of heat across Buffy’s jaw and down her neck. He stopped at the scar there – his scar – and traced the slightly-raised skin with his tongue. He felt Buffy shudder beneath him, her pussy walls trembling in pleasure around his hard length. Her passion and desire never ceased to leave him awestruck. The feel of her under him, surrounding him, engulfing him, possessing him never ceased to enthrall him. Her moans and gasps of pleasure pierced his heart like cupid’s arrow. To know the joy he could bring her, the rapture, the bliss – it filled him with a fervent maelstrom of lust and love.



His hips jerked against her harder, driving into her deeply, and her moans and whispered exclamations increased. His name was coupled with the Almighty’s more than once, and that was how she made him feel: like a bloody god. And she was his goddess. His perfect, golden, strong and sexy, horny, sometimes bitchy, sometimes cute as a bug, Slayer of a goddess. Too right.

It occurred to him that in his own litany of whispered endearments and curses, he should tell her that. Not the bitchy part, though – she might not take that the right way. “You’re a bloody goddess, Buffy. Should be a constellation o’ stars named for ya … Buffy, Goddess of Love.”

“I think Aphrodite … took that … already,” Buffy gasped between breaths as her back arched up, pressing her breasts against him.

“Oh … right,” Spike stammered, distracted by her hot, hard nipples pressing against his chest. “Goddess o’ …” he began before leaning down and sucking one pebbled nipple between his lips and laving it gently with his tongue.

“… Wild Backyard Monkey Sex,” Buffy supplied, bowing her back into an even more acute arch and digging her fingernails into the globes of Spike’s ass.

Spike had to stop … he just stopped and looked up to her face. She absolutely glowed in the moonlight. The stars that had been in the sky a moment ago had apparently fallen and were now sparkling in her eyes. She had the most innocent smile on her lips. Innocent and deadly, he thought.

He bit his bottom lip, pulling it into his mouth, and shook his head slowly. “You have no bloody idea how much I … supercalifragilisticexpialidocious you, oh Goddess o’ Wild Backyard Monkey Sex.”



He can say it! Buffy’s smile widened and she squeezed her inner muscles around his shaft, making them dance around his length a few times, before stopping and holding him prisoner inside her. “Then you better get to it, oh lowly, immortal subject, or you’ll feel your goddess’ wrath. And it won’t feel as good at this…” she warned, squeezing one more time, even harder.

Spike winced, but nodded eagerly. “Right away, your royal godliness … your wish is my bloody command.”

Spike tried to move, but couldn’t. He tried again – nope.

“What’s the matter?” she asked coyly, trying to keep a straight face.

“Uhhh … if ya squash m’ poetic bone, you’ll be the one sufferin’ the most, pet.”

“Ya wanna make a little bet on that?” she asked, biting her bottom lip as an evil grin spread across her face and she squeezed even harder.



Spike’s eyes rolled back in his head. “Gah!”

Buffy laughed and released the supernatural grip she had on him. Spike sighed in relief and sagged against her for a few moments to recover. He needed to add ‘evil’ and ‘wicked’ to his list of descriptors of his goddess, and perhaps ‘twisted sense o’ bloody humor’. It was all in the Buffy-goddess package – and he’d bow at her feet any day of the bloody week. As long as no one was looking, of course. He had a Big Bad rep to maintain, after all. No need to tell the whole bloody world he was love’s bitch.

“Been workin’ out, eh?” he asked after a few moments. Did Buffy hear a tone of smug satisfaction in his voice?

“Kegels are a girl’s best friend. No embarrassing leaking on the dance floor … you know, due to my advanced age and all,” Buffy replied, giving him an innocent smile.

“Ya do know you’re bloody evil t’ threaten a man’s naughty-bits,” he informed her as he began moving his hips against her again. “Don’t think it’ll be forgotten, Slayer … one day I’ll make ya pay dearly for that.”

“Mmmmm…” she moaned, her eyes fluttering closed. “Promises, promises,” she purred silkily.

“Don’t pretend you don’t love my tortures,” she continued, her voice drunken with lust. “It’s all part of the Goddess of Wild Backyard Monkey Sex’s sacred duty.”

He smirked at her and slammed his pubic bone sharply against her clit in reply. Of course, she was right: he did love it. A little pain just made the big finale all that much sweeter. He wasn’t even adverse to a good bit of pain, as evidenced by the way his lust and need had ratcheted up a few notches by his goddess’ sweet torture of his danglies.

“An’ what’s my sacred duty, then?” he rasped into her ear as their bodies found their rhythm again.

“Fuck me into the ground and rocket me through the stars, back to heaven,” she divulged without even a moment’s thought.

Spike growled loudly and slammed down on her with every ounce of demon lust he had. Buffy squeaked slightly in surprise, then dug her nails into his ass harder, urging him on. “God, woman, I love you … such a fucking animal, you are,” he ground out as he pounded down on her violently.



Buffy’s back arched up off the now-warm grass at her back as his pubic bone slammed hard against her clit. Fire danced down her legs and up through her body with each stroke. Her muscles jerked and jumped, as if getting electric-shock treatment, every time he ground down on her bundle of nerves. She could feel the burning wall of ecstasy building in her like a tidal wave and wanted to start screaming already, but some small part of her brain remembered that their children were sleeping not too far above them.

Yes, Spike! More! Yes! Yes! Fuck me! she screamed at him through the bond, instead. She couldn’t stop the high-pitched mewling squeals that came out of her throat with each ragged breath, though.

Spike stopped momentarily to reposition and get more leverage. He dragged her legs from around his waist and pressed them up and out, opening her up to him completely. God, she was beautiful laying there under him. She glowed as the moonbeams danced over her damp skin. Her half-lidded eyes blinked open when he stopped, and he could again see the stars glittering lustily in their green depths.

He began moving again, watching her face, her body, as he slid in and out of her silken channel. Her breasts swayed and bounced with every thrust he made into her hot, tight pussy and he couldn’t resist dipping his head and catching one jiggling nipple between his lips.

Buffy moaned and her back arched up, pressing her tit into his mouth harder. She released her grip on his ass to give him free rein and used one hand to tease and twist the nipple he’d ignored. He had her pretty well pinned down so she couldn’t really lift her hips up much to meet his thrusts, although she tried. She was opened up to him completely – her legs stretched high and wide. She was at the vampire’s mercy. It sent an instinctive shiver of fear down her spine at the same time that it turned her on.

Spike bit down hard on the soft flesh of her breast, and Buffy’s hips bucked despite being pinned under him. She moaned a deep throaty approval as Spike licked the droplets of blood that he’d drawn.

Take me, Spike … take all of me, she begged him through the bond.

“God, Buffy … so fucking hot, you are. I could fuck you for-bloody-ever,” Spike’s voice rumbled in her ear as she felt and heard his demon visage emerge from behind the mask of the man.

Buffy felt a surge of adrenaline join the wall of ecstasy that was building inside her. Every instinct she had was screaming at her: Danger! Fight! Run! Her whole body trembled in anticipation as she felt Spike’s gasping breath pulsing cool against her over-heated skin.

When Spike’s fangs sliced through the flesh of her neck and tapped into her jugular, her body went into wild bouts of blissful spasms. She tried to inhale, tried to exhale … but neither would work. Her body convulsed under him as the burning tidal wave crashed down on her, at once painful and idyllic.

She could feel her blood coursing from her body into Spike’s, feel and hear his lips sucking against her lustily. She could feel his cock pounding into her even harder, harder than he had any right to be able to. Deeper, and deeper still, he thrust – touching her core, touching her very soul. She heard some animal screaming and a lion roaring, and then she was flying over the face of the Man in the Moon.

She looked around as she soared, down into the valleys created by some long-ago asteroid and up over the hills of debris it left behind, and suddenly Spike was with her. They were bathed in the white-light of the lunar body as they danced and flew, unmindful of anything but the feeling of delightful weightlessness that surrounded them. The Man in the Moon laughed with them as they grazed over the barren landscape, wrapped in each other’s love.

As their soaring slowed and they began simply floating on gossamer wings, it suddenly began to rain. Cool droplets of water danced over them and sent up puffs of dust from the barren, powder-dry surface below. Somewhere in Buffy’s orgasm-clouded mind she thought, Huh … that’s weird.

“Fuck!” she heard Spike growl. The spell was broken; she suddenly fell back to earth, a harsh return to reality, and blinked her eyes open.

“Let’s go! The whole bloody neighborhood’s awake and the sodding sprinklers are on!”

“Huh?” Buffy replied, wittily. But, even in a half-stupor, she took his hand and he hauled her to her feet. Cold water from the automatic sprinklers drenched the lovers. They both ducked instinctively, trying to avoid the water, but that just got them sprayed directly in the face. The coals in the fire-pit were hissing and steaming next to them and all the lights in the surrounding houses, including their own, had clicked on.

“Shit! My shoes! My dress!” Buffy exclaimed, turning in frantic circles as she tried to find her clothes in the dark.

“Sod that, Slayer! The bloody bits are up! C’mon!” Spike admonished her, dragging her by the hand towards the house.

“But … it cost a small fortune and it’s dry clean only! And those shoes are Louis …” she began, but he was hauling her through the spraying water towards the back door at a dead run.

They slammed into the house, naked and drenched. Leaving a trail of cold water on the floor, Spike got them to the downstairs bathroom before the lights in the great room came on. He pushed her inside and slammed the door behind them. They both stood there, breathing hard, hands on their thighs, staring at each other for a long moment. And then they both began to laugh hysterically, sounding like maniacs out on a three-day pass.



“Mom? … Dad?” Annie’s voice called tentatively from somewhere outside the closed door, barely audible over the gales of laughter that echoed within the bathroom. “Is that you? Are you … ok?”

Buffy tried to get her giggles under control, but didn’t completely succeed. “Yeah … we’re … It’s ok, just go back to bed, honey.”

“What’s going on? I heard … something weird and …”

“No worries, Niblett,” Spike tried, a laugh rumbling out at the end of the word. “Do as your mum says: go back t’ bed.”

Annie didn’t say anything. They could hear her footsteps walking away from the bathroom.

Buffy sat down on the edge of the tub as another fit of giggles consumed her. She was shivering and laughing and still buzzed from the sex. Spike turned the shower on and, as soon as the water was hot, he lifted his adrenaline-addled Slayer to her feet and guided her under the warm spray.

He had to kiss her as they stood there under the warm, running water. She was a sight to behold. Her body was flushed with the heat of their love-making, giggles still burbled from her throat, her teeth chattered from the cold they’d been showered in outside, and she was bouncing up and down on her toes, trying to get warm.

“I bloody well love you, goddess-mine,” he murmured against her lips.

Buffy’s teeth clattered together in a shivering reply.

Spike laughed as he wrapped his arms around her and held her against him. For once he was actually warmer than she was. He’d been thoroughly heated from the inside-out from the blood he’d taken from her. Not even the bloody freezing-ass sprinkler water could chill him right now.

“Ok, you guys – gross,” Annie called through the door after a few minutes. “Us kids have to play in that yard, ya know.”

“Busted,” Buffy whispered to Spike, giggling. She could not stop giggling. Maybe she’d had too much champagne … or maybe it was just too much Spike. Oh, never mind, that’s ridiculous. There’s no such thing as too much Spike.

“Thought your mum told ya to go back t’ bed, Niblett,” Spike called back to her, trying to sound annoyed but not really succeeding.

“You left the back door standing wide open and a trail of water a mile wide on the floor. I know what you were doing out there. You’d think a Master Vampire and a Slayer would be more … stealthy.”

“Yeah, well …you’d be bloody wrong, then wouldn’t ya?” Spike replied cleverly.
 
“Sometimes I think I was adopted,” Annie called back to him. Spike could feel her eyes roll through the closed door.

“If ya don’t do as your mum says and go back t’ bed, it can still be arranged, pet,” Spike warned, making Buffy giggle again.

“Too late, Dani and Billy are up now too…” Annie informed him. “Oh … and here comes Dawn … and Bess. You can’t give us all away,” she asserted.

“What’s goin’ on?” Dani called as footsteps descended the stairs.

“Mom and Dad said, since we're up early, we could have ice cream sundaes with all the toppings for breakfast,” Annie replied, a tone of victory in her voice.

“That cheeky little minx!” Spike growled.



“Oh! Awesome!” Dani and Billy chorused as one, their footsteps coming faster now.

Buffy giggled again. “I want an ice cream sundae for breakfast too.”

“Bloody hell, I’m living in a soddin’ nuthouse.”

“It should really tell you something about yourself if you just figured that out, Spike,” Buffy teased as she turned the water off and reached for a towel.

Spike shrugged and sighed. There was no denying that. “So, what kinda ice cream ‘ave we got?”


 
**~**

{{  Click here to hear Moondance by Van Morrison  on YouTube  }}


Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow
And I'm trying to please to the calling
Of your heart-strings that play soft and low
And all the night's magic seems to whisper and hush
And all the soft moonlight seems to shine in your blush

Chorus:
Can I just have one a' more Moondance with you, my love
Can I just make some more romance with a-you, my love

Well, I wanna make love to you tonight
I can't wait 'til the morning has come
And I know that the time is just right
And straight into my arms you will run
And when you come my heart will be waiting
To make sure that you're never alone
There and then all my dreams will come true, dear
There and then I will make you my own
And every time I touch you, you just tremble inside
And I know how much you want me that you can't hide

Chorus

Repeat 1st Verse

One more Moondance with you in the moonlight
On a magic night
La, la, la, la in the moonlight
On a magic night
Can I just have one more moon dance with a-you
My love.
End Notes:
I apologize for not having any pictures of Spike laying nearly naked covered in nothing but rose petals (or nothing at all!) ... {sigh}.

Next: We say goodbye to Dawn. There will be tears and laughter - I hope! :) Don't be shy - you know I love hearing from you! This 'season' is getting very, very near the end...
Photograph by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
Dawn must say goodbye, but there’s one more mission in the offing, and a little surprise waiting at the mansion for Buffy.
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
Day after the party. Early morning, Sunday, September 11th, 2011:

Dawn sighed and blinked back her tears as she studied the newspaper article from the 'Sydney Morning Herald' that was displayed on Buffy’s computer:

June 2007. After a whirl-wind romance while attending a professional conference in Rome, Sun-Herald financial editor, Samuel Sandstone, married Janet Morley, Annuity Services Director at the prestigious Sydney financial services firm of Latham, Marsden, and Smyth. “It was love at first sight,” Samuel beamed after the simple ceremony. “She swept me off my feet!” The happy couple honeymooned in the beautiful Sicilian coastal village of Taormina …



“Sam…” Dawn sighed heavily, her heart torn between giddy relief that he was alive in this world, and utter heartbreak that he’d married someone else. Love at first sight. “That should’ve been me…”

“What should’ve?” Buffy asked from right behind her, causing Dawn to shriek and jump, nearly toppling her chair over.

“Shit!” Dawn exclaimed, steadying the chair. “Ever hear of knocking?”

“You’re in my office. The door was open,” Buffy defended as she looked at the computer screen.

“Is that … him?” Buffy asked, pointing to a picture of a handsome man that appeared to be happier than anyone had a right to be. He was standing next to an equally giddy young woman in a simple, white dress holding a bouquet of wild flowers. A bluer-than-blue ocean spread out behind them, framing them in the warmth of the Mediterranean.

“Yeah … that’s Sam,” Dawn confirmed.

“He doesn’t really look like a Watcher,” Buffy observed. “He kinda looks vaguely like …”

“Spike,” Dawn sighed.



Buffy started a bit and leaned in for a closer look. "Oh ... I was gonna say Billy Idol, but ... okay, yeah, I guess."

Dawn snorted and rolled her eyes. “Believe me, I know. That’s why I didn’t marry him right away when he asked me. We were just like this,” Dawn explained, waving her hand vaguely at the computer screen. “Love at first sight; all googly eyes, goofy smiles, and racing hearts. I was afraid I was just … projecting.”

“How did he get to be a Watcher? He’s … Australian?” Buffy wondered, squinting at the computer screen. “And works at a newspaper … in finance. Not typical Watcher material.”

Dawn shrugged. “He’s some really distant relation to an old Watcher family. Giles always tried recruiting from ‘within the ranks’,” Dawn explained, adding Giles’ accent to the last words. “It worked surprisingly well, actually. I guess it’s like Slayers: take someone with Watcher blood running in their veins and show them a vampire and they just … get it. They’re, like, born to help.”

Buffy studied the photo on the screen. The girl he’d married actually looked a bit like Dawn. She wondered if her Giles had ever contacted him about becoming a Watcher … then quickly decided to not even mention it to anyone on the Council. Sam had died being a Watcher in Dawn’s world; Dawn would never want that to happen here.

“But … weren’t you guys together for a while?” Buffy wondered. “I mean – projectile infatuation only lasts so long.”



“You make it sound like I had food poisoning,” Dawn rebuffed, then sighed. “Yeah, we were together over two years.”

“And?” Buffy prompted.

“And … I really loved him. And he loved me. We … fit.”

“And?” Buffy continued pressing. “Why didn’t you marry him? You just said he asked you.”

“He asked on our ten-day anniversary. I … couldn’t do it. I couldn’t marry someone I’d known ten days. Then I just …” Dawn shrugged. “I guess I let life get in the way of living. He was learning to be a Watcher and getting to know his Slayer. I was working with Gertie and Shiro and trying to be all … ‘in touch’, and also attending classes at Oxford, and I just always thought there would be tomorrow. We’d get married … tomorrow, when things had settled down. Then, tomorrow never came.”

Dawn blinked tears back and stared at the computer screen and the photo there. “He found someone here that wasn’t afraid …” She nodded her head in approval. “That’s good … it’s good that he found someone as free-spirited as he was … is – someone who knows that tomorrow may never come.”

Buffy stroked a hand down the back of Dawn’s long hair comfortingly. “It’s hard to be impulsive and give your heart away when it’s been broken so many times. Maybe if Spike and I hadn’t left you … hadn’t died …”

Dawn shook her head. “It’s not your fault. It’s not anyone’s fault – it just is.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “That sounds like Gertie talking.”

Dawn shrugged again. “Yeah, I guess. But she’s right. She tried to teach me that I don’t always have control over what happens around me, but I do have control over how I let it affect me. It’s totally my choice how I react to circumstances. I can let them control me, or I can take control and refuse to be manipulated. It’s ok to feel the pain, but it’s my choice to let it overwhelm me or if I walk through it and emerge stronger on the other side. I got it – too late, but I got it.

“It’s one thing I always admired about you, Buffy. You just took everything in stride … rolled with the punches and came up swinging. You never let yourself be manipulated into inaction … even in the face of overwhelming odds. You always believed you’d win – and you always did ... even if it cost you your life, you still won somehow. I always wished I could be like that.”

A snort of sarcastic laughter burst from Buffy’s throat. “You must have been living with a different Buffy. Either that or the monks really twisted your memories.”



Dawn finally turned around and looked at her. “No, I remember perfectly. I remember you taking on the Master. You were what? Fifteen? Sixteen? You were scared out of your mind, but you did it – and you won. I remember you sending Angel to hell to save the world. Yeah … you took a time-out after that down in L.A., but you walked through the fire, through the pain, and came back stronger than ever.

“I remember you defeating a hell-god. I remember you giving your life – for me. You didn’t hesitate. You didn’t say, ‘Well, maybe I better think this over’, or ‘Maybe I can wait until tomorrow.’ You just … followed your heart. Bam. Done. No doubt, no debate, no indecision.”

“You make it sound like I’m fearless … I’m totally not,” Buffy argued. “I think lots of things over. I put stuff off…”

“Yeah, I know the kinds of stuff you put off: studying for exams you put off, dusting, mopping, and washing windows you put off. Things that matter you just … act. You may feel the fear, but you do it anyway. I felt the fear and I just … curled up in a ball and hid.”

“Dawn, I’m far from perfect and I don’t always act … sanely. I’d probably be better off sometimes if I stopped to think a little more,” Buffy admitted.

Dawn shook her head. “No, you wouldn’t. You and Spike – you guys shoot from the hip, take no prisoners, jump first and figure out how to swim when you hit the water. You live with passion for everything you do. I learned that lesson the hard way. It took a really long time. You’d think that after losing Mom and you … Spike, Tara, and Anya, I would’ve figured it out sooner.

“You know what really did it?” Dawn asked, meeting Buffy’s eyes with hers.



Buffy shook her head.

“One day, it was maybe two or three months after Sam died. Xander and I were in bed wallowing, pretty literally, in our self-pity…”

“You’re getting on the verge of TMI…” Buffy warned.

Dawn smiled. “Right … Anyway, the TV was on in the other room and that old song came on. You know the one that Mom used to hum and sing to us from that movie?”

“‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ – ‘Moon River’,” Buffy provided.

Dawn nodded. “All these memories of you and me and Mom and Dad all dancing around the living room to that song came flooding back. You’d be dancing with Dad and I’d be with Mom and …” Dawn’s voice broke and she cleared it.

Buffy nodded at the happy, albeit false, memory. Dawn wasn’t there – neither was her dad, for that matter. Her mom had danced with Buffy. Sometimes Joyce would just spontaneously stop doing whatever it was she was doing, and they would dance in the living room, laughing and singing that old, favorite song. The monks had taken that memory and made it even happier when they’d inserted Dawn into it. Hank would’ve never danced in the living room in the middle of the day ... or, well, anytime, for that matter.

“So,” Dawn continued, her voice stronger. “I asked Xander to dance with me. I just wanted to feel that again … feel something other than this overwhelming blackness that had taken over. He looked at me like I’d asked him to jump off the Eiffel tower. ‘I don’t dance – ever,' he literally growled at me. He was still just as angry about losing Anya as he had been the very first night we spent in that stupid school bus on the way to L.A. after the town collapsed.

“It hit me like a freight train. Sam would’ve danced with me. Spike would’ve danced … you would’ve danced ... Mom, Tara ... hell, Anya would've danced. And finally I understood what Gertie was talking about. I could let all my losses and mistakes pile up and smother me, like Xander had, or I could get up and decide to live. And Willow’s words about how you and Spike would want me to live and love and be happy came back to me, and I knew that Sam would want that too.

“I tried to get through to Xander, to show him how much he was dishonoring Anya’s sacrifice by being so …” Dawn shuddered and averted her eyes from Buffy, but didn’t finish her thought. “He got … even angrier. I couldn’t stay with Xander anymore. I probably owe him for pushing me past my fear, but I can’t reach him. I don’t think anyone can penetrate those walls of razor-wire he’s got up.”

Dawn took a deep, trembling breath and let it out slowly as she looked back up at her sister. “Now, when I have the chance to … for example, come visit my sister and her family in another dimension, I don’t even think about it. I follow my heart. It says ‘jump’ and I jump. I’m not afraid of the water anymore – I know I’ll figure out how to swim … and mostly I have fun doing it.”

“Keep in mind that all that jumping has gotten me killed a time or three…” Buffy warned.



Dawn gave her sister and patient smile. “But, given the same circumstances, would you have ever done anything differently any of those times?” Dawn pressed.

“Honestly? Yes. My first instinct when it came to the Master was to run and hide. To quit, turn in my stake, and move to Outer Mongolia. If I’d done that, he might still be trapped in that stupid church. It was one of those self-fulfilling prophecies.

“And this last time? I think I really should’ve just killed Cordy. She is such a bitch, and now she’s got this whole crazy-jealous vibe going on. I don’t see how anyone could’ve really held that against me. I would’ve probably gotten a medal or a promotion or something.”

Dawn gave Buffy a doubtful look.

“Well, she is! I know one thing: I’ll never turn my back on her again.”

“Okay,” Dawn acquiesced, holding her hands up in surrender. “Maybe your way isn’t perfect, but it’s way better than being frozen with fear of what might happen … what might go wrong. You and Spike are my heroes, so … don’t ruin it by telling me you’re only human and you’ve made mistakes. I refuse to believe it.”

“Right, and the Tooth Fairy, Santa, and the Easter Bunny have a beach house in Malibu together,” Buffy laughed. “They’re quite the hot threesome.”

Dawn rolled her eyes but laughed.

“There are no mistakes,” Buffy advised, still smiling as she reached her hand out and tucked a lock of Dawn’s hair behind her ear. “Only opportunities to take a different path to your destination. I’ve taken the long way home a time or two. I prefer to think it makes me … interesting and quirky, not an idiot that didn’t think far enough ahead to buy a map.”

Dawn laughed, stood up, and pulled Buffy into a hug. “I think our family is map-challenged. It’s really not our fault at all … it must be in the genes. I think it's Dad's fault.”

Buffy laughed and hugged Dawn back. “Yep, that must be it. It could never be our fault – we’re much too pretty for anything to be our fault.”

“And interesting and quirky,” Dawn added.

“Damn straight.”

**~**

Later that morning…

Dawn had promised herself she would not cry.

She cried.

Standing in front of the portal that would lead her back home, she cried. Buffy hugged her again and cried with her. Annie piled onto the hug and cried too. Spike sighed and clenched his jaw. He was not going to cry, damn it.

“You can come back anytime,” Buffy was saying to Dawn. “And … and … you have that spell from Willow, right, the dimension-dream-jumping spell? If you need help, you just focus on one of us and we’ll come.”

Dawn nodded against her sister’s shoulder. She knew she could come back, but she didn’t want to leave. She also knew she had to go home. Giles would be worried and they needed her there.
 
“Right, off with ya then,” Spike barked. He hated long goodbyes.

The three girls disentangled from their hug and nodded, wiping at their eyes and choking back more tears.

Spike clenched his fists and his fingernails dug into the palms of his hands. He was not gonna cry.

“I love you, Spike,” Dawn sobbed, wrapping him in a tight hug. “Thank you so much for finding me and giving me this.”

Bloody hell. “Anything for you, Niblett,” Spike replied, his voice cracking with unshed tears as he wrapped his arms around her. “You jus’ keep laughing, yeah? Sounds good on ya, pet.”

Dawn nodded and tried to laugh, but it came out as a choked sob. Spike blinked furiously, but it was too late: the tears had won.

She finally pulled away, wiping her eyes and nose again, and turned towards the portal. With great effort of will she composed herself and issued the command for the portal to open. As the white light swirled, she turned one last time to them.

“It’ll only take a few minutes if he’s home,” she told Anya, who was standing off to one side. “He lives in an apartment right on top of a ley line in Cardiff.”

Anya nodded, hands on her hips, face set in a determined scowl.

Dawn picked up her bag along with another duffel that was full of photo albums that Buffy had put together for her. She clenched her right hand closed when the too-large skull ring on her finger began to slip off – Spike’s gift to her. Then she turned resolutely, and disappeared into the shimmering portal.

Buffy and Annie stepped back and urged Anya forward. They all stood in silence, watching the swirling light of the still-open portal. After just a few minutes, Xander stumbled through the portal, looking confused and angry. He had an eye patch over one eye and looked like he hadn’t shaved in a month of Sundays. His clothes were disheveled, like he’d been sleeping in them, and his breath smelled strongly of whiskey.

“What the fuck!?” he demanded, turning to look behind him for Dawn, but she hadn’t followed him through.

“Alexander Lavelle Harris!” Anya snarled at him and Xander spun around, his one eye wide with confusion and surprise.

“What the fuck…” he repeated again, though this time it was more of a statement of shock than a question.

“What’s the matter? You don’t remember me?” Anya asked, her voice hard, arms still resolutely crossed over her chest.

“Anya?”

“Oh, you do remember. The whiskey hasn't rotted your entire brain, I see.”

“Anya … I … Oh my God, Anya,” he began, stepping forward. “Is that really you?"

Anya slapped him hard on the cheek.

“Hey!” he yelled, drawing a fist back to retaliate. Spike stepped up and caught Xander’s fist in his hand, stopping him cold.

“Of course it’s me,” Anya continued, unfazed. “Who else would take time away from a very busy day at the shop to come here and see you? The autumnal equinox is coming up; it’s a very profitable time of year.”

“No hittin’ ladies,” Spike informed him coolly, speaking softly, under Anya’s tirade.

“Spike.” Xander growled the name like a rabid dog, his attention diverted from Anya.

“That’s right: Spike. Now shut your gob and listen t’ the demon-bird.”



“Let go of my fucking hand,” Xander demanded, trying to pull free of Spike’s grip.

“Only if ya play nice,” Spike advised, shifting smoothly into his vamp face. He leaned in close to Xander’s throat. “Otherwise I could make it very unpleasant for you.”

Xander leaned back away from the vamp, reaching behind his back to retrieve a stake, but Spike was faster. Holding him only by the dark man’s closed fist, Spike twisted and turned Xander around, lifting him up onto his toes by his arm, which was now wrenched painfully behind his back. Spike took the stake from its hiding place and tossed it back through the portal.

“That’s not playin’ nice,” Spike warned him again. Spike dropped his fangs to Xander’s jugular, but honestly, Xander stank too much for Spike to actually break the skin. Spike wondered momentarily when the Big Bad had gotten this … poncey. Probably all these years dipping into the Slayer’s silky, clean, and oh-so-sweet skin had softened him. Bugger.

Spike growled and twisted harder on Xander’s arm. “Gonna behave now?”

Xander winced but didn’t scream out from the pain. Spike knew it had to hurt; the man’s shoulder was on the verge of dislocating. “Fine,” Xander ground out finally, unable to see another way out of this.

Spike released the pressure and Xander lunged away from him. He spun on Anya, just barely noticing Buffy and Annie standing behind and to one side as he turned.

What’d you slap me for?” he demanded of his dead ex as he tried to get his bearings. Spike, Buffy, Anya … this must be some kind of … Sunnydale death dimension, he thought. It couldn’t be heaven. God would never let William-the-fucking-Bloody into heaven.

“Well, someone had to do it. You’re giant oaf!”



“I’m a what?” Xander shrieked, his voice and his ire rising further.

“Oaf,” Anya repeated calmly. “Someone regarded as unintelligent, rude, and unpleasant. O-A-F. Oaf.”

“I know what the word means, for fuck’s sake,” Xander spat.

“Good,” Anya replied. “Here’s another one for you: disappointment.”

Xander snorted. “I can’t be disappointed; I never expect anything good to happen.”

“I’m not talking about you being disappointed,” Anya explained. “You are a disappointment. To me. To Buffy. To Dawn. We expect more from you.”

“Oh well … boo-hoo,” Xander snarked back. “I’m all broken up…”

Anya slapped him again even harder. Spike growled when Xander raised his fist again to retaliate. Xander pressed his hand over the mark she’d left on his face, dropping his clenched fist down near his side. “Don’t do that again,” he snarled at Anya.

“Someone needs to,” she asserted. “You’re acting like a petulant child. You need to grow up Xander Harris. You need to take responsibility…”

“Responsibility?!” Xander interrupted her, his voice angry and harsh. “Don’t talk to me about responsibility! I live with it every minute of every day. Your death haunts my dreams and tints my life the color blood. It’s all over me – your blood is on my hands and I can’t ever wash it off. Responsibility … pffft,” he snorted, looking around to try and find a way out of this place.

Sometime while he’d been talking to her or struggling with Spike, the portal had closed. Did Dawn intend to leave him here in what must be Sunnyhell, since Spike was here? Maybe he was he actually dead now. He wondered where the rest of the Dead Sunnydale Society was: Tara, Buffy’s mom, Kendra. He wondered if Jesse would be here – the first person Xander had ever seen turned into a vamp, his best friend from high school.

Anya seemed to soften at his words. “Really?” she asked in that way she’d had when she was newly human: a little unsure and needing his assurance.



Xander looked back at her and sighed. He released the fist he had clenched at his side and raised his hand slowly towards her. “Really,” he affirmed softly. His fingers grazed her cheek. She was real – not a ghost. She was warm and soft and just like he remembered her. Maybe a little older, but weren’t they all?

Then he furrowed his brow. Older? Dead people don’t … age. He looked at Spike and Buffy; they looked almost exactly the same. “Who are you?” he asked, his fingers lingering against her warm skin.

Anya gave him a little smile and leaned into his hand. “Oh, well, I guess those last few brain cells just bit the dust. I’m Anya Christina Emmanuella Jenkins. I’m here to tell you that you need to stop acting like a big, dumb oaf or no one will ever love you again.”

Xander snorted derisively. “Love is overrated.”

“You didn’t used to think so. Xander, listen to me,” Anya said, gently, but firmly – as only she could. “It was Anya’s decision to fight. She wouldn’t’ve let the likes of you stop her. I mean really, I’m … I mean she was a thousand years old and an ex-demon. She knew the risks and she chose to take them. Get over yourself, already.”

“I should’ve stayed with you. I should have never left you with fucking Andrew,” Xander argued. “I could’ve …”

“Died protecting me?” Anya asked, cocking a brow at him.

Xander shrugged. “That wasn’t exactly what I had in mind, but I would have. It would’ve been better than this … this so-called life.”

“Ok, say you did. Say I’m alive and you’re dead. Would you want me to push everyone away? Would you want me to be miserable, just barely surviving day to day? Drink myself into oblivion every night? Scare the one person in the world that really wanted to help me so much that she changed her phone number and moved so you couldn’t find her?”

“Are we still talking about you here? Didn’t know you swung that way, Ahn,” Xander quipped dryly.

Anya gave him a hard glare. “You haven’t answered the question. Your attempts to make unamusing jokes in order to avoid the actual discussion don’t work with me. I know all your tricks, Xander Harris.”

Xander rolled his eyes. “No,” he said softly, just barely audible.

“What was that?” Anya asked, leaning forward and putting a hand to her ear.

Xander cleared his throat. “No,” he said more firmly. “Of course not.”

“Oh. So it must just be me that’s a selfish ex-demon that wants you to live that way? Is that what you’re saying? Ex-demons aren’t real people? We aren’t human enough to want the ones left behind to be happy?” Anya ranted at him.



Xander held his hands up in surrender, shaking his head in denial. “No, no, no …” he repeated, even as she kept talking.

“You don’t think I would want you to keep living – to fall in love again? That’s it, isn’t it? Ex-demons are just petty and vindictive; we don’t have hearts or compassion – we don’t even know what love is. Well, let me tell you something, you self-righteous, walking penis …”

“Anya! NO!” he finally yelled over her, grabbing her upper arms and stopping her.

Spike took a step closer, ready to intervene, but a small, almost unperceivable, shake of Anya’s head stopped him.

“I never thought that! You … don’t you know how much I love you? How ashamed I am of running away like a … coward.”

Anya tilted her head slightly, studying him, her brows furrowed in confusion. “You … ran away from the battle?”

Xander shook his head as tears prickled his good eye. He blinked rapidly, trying to push them back. “No … I ran away from our … wedding. I was so afraid … afraid I’d … I’d turn into my father, that I’d hurt you … let you down, and … I have.

“I’m my father’s son in so, so many horrible ways,” he admitted, suddenly realizing that he was holding her arms too tightly. He released her and brought a fist up to bang desperately against his own forehead. “I can’t stop … I just … can’t stop.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Anya asserted as a flat statement of fact. “I’ve met your father. I’ve shared several awkward and embarrassing meals with your parents, and you are not him.”

Xander snorted sarcastically and took a step back from her. “You don’t know me… you don’t know anything about my life.”

“Oh, is that so? I know that you drown your sorrows in whiskey and women. When the women start getting too close, you kick them out … apparently literally. I’m actually surprised none of them have hexed you yet. If you’d done that to me, I would’ve made your penis swell up like a basketball and ooze green pus from extremely painful boils which required lancing … daily.”

Spike and Xander both winced.

“Now, you listen to me Alexander Lavelle Harris,” Anya continued, pointing a finger at him. “I may not know all the details of your life, but I know you and this …” She changed her motion and waved her hand up and down his body. “… is not you.

“You have a good heart under there,” she continued, poking a finger against his chest.

He winced slightly and rubbed the spot.

“It’s been battered and broken, but if you’ll just let someone in to help you heal it, it will get better. You taught me that. You showed me how letting go of vengeance and anger can heal a heart – even one that’d been broken for a thousand years,” Anya continued.

“Let go of the guilt. You aren’t keeping me alive with it – you’re only killing yourself by degrees. That’s not what she would want for you; she loved you too much to ever want that,” Anya concluded, stuffing her fists on her hips determinedly.



Xander closed his eye and dropped his head, then nodded slightly. “I know she wouldn’t,” he whispered to the floor.

Anya’s bravado melted slightly. She stepped forward and pulled this broken and battered Xander into a hug. The aroma of pungent, hundred-proof B.O. assaulted her nostrils, and his explosive breath made her eyes water.

“And she’d want you to bathe … daily … with soap and shampoo,” Anya added, trying to breathe shallowly as she blinked her eyes closed against the assault of the fumes. “And shave. Whisker-burn is painful and drastically reduces the number of orgasms you can provide during oral sex. Honestly, Xander… did she not teach you anything?”

Xander laughed and sobbed at the same time, dropping his head onto her slender shoulder. “I’m so sorry, Ahn … I never meant to hurt you. Never … never wanted to hurt you.”

“Then stop hurting yourself,” Anya replied. It was a command, not a request. “Start living again.”

Another sob escaped the big man’s throat and his whole body shuddered with the release of pent-up anger, guilt, and sorrow.

They stood there like that for some time. Xander’s tears dampened Anya’s blouse as they fell in a seemingly endless flood. She stroked a hand over his long, unkempt hair and down his back, trying to give assurance and comfort.

It at once amazed and frightened her how broken this man had become after her death. It also brought back that old feeling that time was slipping by too quickly. When she’d been immortal, she’d never thought about time – it would go on forever. Now, the sand seemed to be falling through the hourglass at an alarming rate, and this Xander was proof positive that she was not going to live forever. That, she realized, was why people had children – it was a way to make themselves, or at least a small part of themselves, immortal. Maybe she’d been too hasty in refusing to have more children after JJ…

Xander’s sobs slowly quieted and he stood back, wiping at his eye and nose with the back of his hand. “I … I’m sorry …” he stammered, trying to regain his manly composure.

Anya rolled her eyes and sighed. “You should be; this top is dry clean only. Do you have any idea how much it costs to get tears out of silk? I mean … it’s not as bad as blood, but they leave these little salty stains. And snot! Oh, forget it! It’s worse than semen. I don’t know what’s in snot, but…”

Xander was smiling at her, shaking his head.

“What? I’m serious!” Anya objected.

“I know you are,” he agreed. “Thank you. Thank you for … taking time from such a busy day and … slapping me.”

“Oh. That was my pleasure. Really, that made the snot stains almost worth it. Would you like me to slap you again … ‘cos I could. It’s not a problem.”

Xander held his hands up in surrender. “I appreciate it, but I think twice is my limit.”

“On your face maybe … your cute little butt, however …”

“Ahn!” Xander cut her off, a blush rising quickly up his neck to his face.

Anya shrugged, then inclined her head to a place behind and off to the side of Xander. “Stop shutting people out, Xander. I hear your friends really care and would like to help you.”

Xander looked in the direction Anya was looking. The portal was open again and Dawn was waiting for him. He closed his eye and rubbed a hand over his unshaven face, regretting how he’d treated her … her and so many others.

He turned back to Anya and nodded solemnly. “Thank you.”

Xander took a step towards Dawn, but Spike stepped into his path. Their chests nearly bumped before Xander could stop. Spike leaned in near Xander’s ear and spoke in a low growling whisper. “Hurt the girl again and it’ll be the last bloody thing you do.”

“God is definitely never gonna let you into heaven, Fang-boy,” Xander snarled back.

Spike’s eyes sparkled dangerously. “Reckon not. Just means I’ll see you in bloody hell, yeah? Knowing that should make you sleep better.”

Xander smiled frostily. “I’ll save you a seat.”

“Make it first class. Don’t like the snacks in coach,” Spike smirked and stepped out of Xander’s path. He turned to watch the dark man join Dawn near the portal. Xander’s shoulders slumped slightly, as if ashamed, as he approached Dawn. Spike hoped the message – all the messages – had gotten through.

Dawn’s eyes met Spike’s for a long moment, and she gave him a reassuring smile and a nod of thanks. She waved one last time to all of them before retreating with her lost cause back through the swirling light. In just a few moments, they were gone and the portal was once again closed.

Buffy and Annie stepped up to Anya. “Do you think it worked?” Buffy asked.

Anya shrugged and sighed heavily. “I’m not sure.”

“Shoulda slapped the wanker a few more times, if ya ask me,” Spike grumbled.

Anya’s eyes sparkled as the group began to walk up the stairs out of the Hellmouth. “He was kind of dashing – all dangerous and pirate-y looking. I think I’ll get Xander an eye-patch. He can be a swashbuckling rapscallion and I can be a helpless island maiden, dressed in only a loin cloth that he’s captured, tied up, and forced to…”

Spike cleared his throat with a low growl, cutting her off. Anya looked at him. “What? Don’t tell me you and Buffy never…” Then she followed his gaze toward Annie, who was listening with rapt attention.



“Oh. Right. Just kidding … ha-ha,” Anya offered flatly.

Annie rolled her eyes.

**~**

After leaving the high school, Buffy, Spike, and Annie walked Anya to the Magic Box. Xander and JJ were there babysitting ‘Kenzie for them while they said goodbye to Dawn and tried, at Buffy’s insistence, to get through to the Xander from that world.

Anya only worked at the Magic Box a few hours a week these days, but liked to check on things in person when she wasn’t working on the Council’s finances. She and Giles had hired a couple of college students who did a good job as sales clerks and kept the store profitable. Anya always had a back-up plan when it came to jobs and money. If the Council gig fell through, she could always fall back to the Magic Box, so it was important to keep it successful.

“I see our little fireball has doubled her vocabulary,” Xander smiled as he handed the baby to Buffy.

“Does Spike have any brains in his head at all?” Xander asked MacKenzie in a sing-song, baby-talk voice.

“No!” the baby replied clearly, shaking her head vigorously from side to side, flinging short, red curls in all directions.

Xander beamed at Spike. Spike rolled his eyes.

“Is your dad as handsome as me?” Xander continued in the same tone, leaning in close to the baby in Buffy’s arms.

“Nuh-uh,” ‘Kenzie responded, still shaking her head ‘no’.



Xander chuckled and stood back up away from the baby. “Smartest one yet, Spike. You’re gonna have your hands full with this little fireball.”

Buffy sighed and jiggled the youngster on her hip. All their other children’s first words had been ‘ma-ma’ or, if you asked Spike, it had been ‘pa-pa’. MacKenzie’s had been, quite clearly, ‘no’. Buffy was afraid Xander may be right; it didn’t bode well for the future. She shuddered at the thought of a teenager whose first word ever had been ‘no’.

“With that vocabulary, at least I know she’ll be safe around bloody gits like your whelp,” Spike offered, looking on the bright side while giving Xander a sneer.

**~**

Buffy, Spike, and Annie thought they’d be safe this Sunday morning as they walked home from the Magic Box so they didn’t take their normal precaution of going a block out of the way to avoid waking in front of the Katzes’. It was a fatal mistake.



“Mr. and Mrs. Waverly! Yooooo-hooo … Betty! Ike! Could I just have a word?” the Quidnuncious demon called as she padded down the sidewalk after them in her orange, zip-front housecoat and pink fuzzy slippers. Her lilac hair was still in rollers and covered in a bright red scarf. The garish effect was blinding.

All three of them turned as her words cut the air like a dying buzz-saw. Spike instinctively stepped in front of Annie and Buffy, who still held the baby, and he took the full force of the demon-woman's noxious perfume on himself. He could stop breathing – they couldn’t.

“Mrs. Krass,” Buffy drawled from behind Spike. “How … lovely to see you today. I thought you’d be at church. Why aren’t you at church?” she asked, annoyance filtering into her words.

“Well, that’s what I wanted to talk to you about, dears,” she replied in her nasally whine. “I know you young people have your … quirks, but I must say that I find it disturbing that you’d keep wild animals in your home. You do have young children, after all. Certainly you’ve seen the shows on the television. Do you have any idea how many children are killed every year by dangerous, wild animals their owners thought tame? It’s simply not prudent to keep such creatures as pets. Additionally, you must realize that you are not zoned for a zoo and are putting the whole neighborhood at risk.”

Buffy opened her mouth and closed it again, shaking her head to try and follow the woman’s logic. “Oookay…” Buffy drawled, keeping Spike between her and the woman’s mind-numbing haze of aroma. “I … umm … I’m not following what that has to do with church this morning.”

“Well, it’s perfectly obvious, dear. How do you expect your neighbors to get a decent night’s sleep with lions and tigers and ... who knows what all wandering around your back yard?”

“You’ve been snortin’ too much o’ that Estee Lauder and Bengay combo,” Spike informed her. “Addled your last brain cell.”

“Do not try to change the subject, young man,” Mrs. Katz scolded Spike. “As the head of the Neighborhood Watch, it is my duty to address dangerous situations in the neighborhood. And I believe we can all agree that wild animals most certainly fit that criteria. I certainly know that I am unanimous in this.”

“Mrs. Krass,” Buffy cajoled, shifting the baby to the other arm and as far away from the woman as possible.

“Katz,” the demon-woman corrected.

“Right,” Buffy smiled sweetly. “We have two cats. Two very small, very domestic cats. That’s it – and they hardly ever go outside.”

“I’m sorry dear, but I heard what I heard and saw what I saw. And my Abner heard it too – last night. It was quite disturbing.”

“Last night?” Buffy asked, heat rising up her neck and flushing her face. “We … uhhh … had a party last night. Some of our guests might’ve gotten … loud.”

“I am well acquainted with the din of a party, Mrs. Waverly. This was after the hullabaloo had died down, and was most assuredly not human.

“It sounded as if you had fed a poor, helpless kitten to a ravenous lion. By the time I got to the window, I could only see the animal racing for the house. I’m quite certain it was a white Bengal tiger. I saw them at the Cincinnati Zoo some years ago while visiting my sister.”

“Didn't know they had proper habitats for your kind at the Cincy zoo. Don’t reckon your sister could pull some strings an' get you a nice spot next to 'er there,” Spike taunted.



“The Cincinnati Zoo has many award-winning habitats, Mr. Waverly. It's quite state-of-the-art. Now, please do stop trying to change the subject,” the demon-woman chastised, missing the jibe.

Spike snickered and Buffy poked him in the ribs from behind. He flinched and stepped away, letting Buffy get a face-full of Mrs. Katz’s noxious fumes.  Buffy choked and backed up a step, waving a hand in front of her face to fan the odor away from her and the baby.

“Mrs. Krass,” Buffy began, before sneezing, once ... twice ... three times in row.

“Bless you,” the Quidnuncious offered. “And it’s Katz, dear. Pronounced just like the small animal you fed to the tiger.”

“Right,” Buffy confirmed, wiping at her watering eyes. “I’m not sure what you and Abner heard … or saw, but I can assure you there are no wild animals in our yard and we’re not in the habit of feeding kittens to things.” Buffy thought of Clem, but she’d never fed him a kitten; she hoped Spike hadn’t either. She shuddered at the thought.

“You’re perfectly … safe. Right, Spike?”

“From tigers,” he agreed, setting an unwavering, viperous gaze on the woman as he tucked his thumbs over his belt buckle.



Mrs. Katz’s last brain cell must’ve recovered from snorting the Estee Lauder and Bengay combo, because she took a step back from the vamp. “I see,” she said coolly, before clearing her throat uncomfortably. “Well, I do hope you’re right, dear. As the head of the Neighborhood Watch, I would be … compelled to call the authorities if…”

Spike growled. Mrs. Katz took another step back. The barely audible rumble of warning cut her words off as if someone had hit the ‘mute’ button.

“Don’t worry, Mrs. Krass,” Buffy filled the silence with a friendly tone. “We’ll be more careful with the music if we have another party. You know these new bands these days – all those screaming guitars and … growling … ummm … tambourines.”

“Katz,” the woman choked out, prying her gaze from Spike’s and looking at Buffy, who was smiling serenely at her.

“Right,” Buffy agreed again. Still smiling, Buffy concluded with, “Nice chatting with you.” She turned and began walking away from the woman. Annie hurried to catch up while Spike brought up the rear, moving slowly away from the Quidnuncious with his best predatory swagger.

As they walked away, Annie lectured, “Stealth. Look it up, Mom – seriously.”

Buffy rolled her eyes but her face flushed pink again.

Finally home, Buffy entered the garden doors first and froze. Annie walked directly into her back and Spike sandwiched the girl between them. “OUT! Get out!” Buffy yelled, pushing back on her daughter and husband.

Spike felt his adrenaline…errr… spike. All his senses jumped to high alert status as he pulled Annie back and out the door. “What is it?” he asked, pressing their daughter behind him as he started back in to help his wife.

“Stay out!” Buffy demanded, handing the baby to him and slamming the door closed in his face.



Spike flinched back, protecting the baby, and his nose, from the slamming door. When he looked in through the glass, he saw Buffy moving quickly around the room like a mad-woman.

“What’s she doing?” Annie asked, coming up beside her father at the glass. “What are those?”

Spike furrowed his brow a moment as realization hit him. He began to laugh, a deep, throaty roar, as he turned the handle of the door and let his daughter enter. Buffy had slain nearly half of the intruders, gathering them up in her fists and crumpling them into submission, but there were still many more which had eluded her.

“What is that?” Annie asked again, walking up to one of the two-dimensional demons before Buffy could snatch it away.

“It’s your mum,” Spike explained. “As a zombie-fied Billy Goat Gruff.”

Spike whistled sharply, drawing a stern look from Buffy. After a moment, the twins and Bess appeared at the top of the stairs, responding to the shrill whistle.

“Your mum wants ya t’ see this,” he called to the blondes atop the stairs. He picked up one of at least a hundred enlarged copies of the photo of Buffy as a six-year-old dressed up for the school play and looking like a deer – or a billy goat – caught in the headlights.

“Give me that!” Buffy growled at him, snatching it from his hand and balling it up in her fists.

Spike laughed and just picked up another one. They were everywhere. Taped to walls, the banister, lying on the floor, on the tables, stuffed in bookcases, covering the front of the TV screen. There was even one blown up to life-size – easily as tall as Dani and Billy –  glued to a cardboard cutout, and standing up in the doorway to the training room. Everywhere you looked a glassy-eyed child-goat stared back.

Dani, Billy, and Bess came down the stairs and they each picked up one of the pictures and began to laugh.

“That’s Mama?” Billy asked, holding the picture up so he could look at it and his harried mother at the same time, comparing.



“Yep, that’s your mum,” Spike confirmed, chortling.

Buffy sighed and sagged. It was too late. “I’m going to fu...reaking kill Dawn,” she muttered to no one in particular as she sank onto the couch, squashing another of the evil photos in the process. She’d managed to keep that picture ‘lost’ for a good twenty years. She’d hidden it in the lining of that blue photo album when she was ten years old. She should’ve just burned it. How the hell did Dawn know where to find it?

“Those damn monks,” she growled, suddenly acutely aware of the only way Dawn would’ve known where it was.

Spike put the baby in her playpen then sat down beside his wife, tapping one of the photos idly on his thigh. “Bloody adorable you were, kitten,” he purred.
 
Buffy rolled her eyes and continued to look dour.

Suddenly, Spike stomped his boots on the floor in an imitation of someone walking, and growled in a deep, gravely baritone, “Who's that tramping over my bridge?”



He cocked a brow at Buffy expectantly. It was her cue. “Not. Happening,” she informed him frostily.

He shrugged, pitched his voice higher than Buffy thought was possible, and recited what should’ve been her line, “Oh, it's just me, the second Billy Goat Gruff, and I'm going up to the hillside to make myself fat.”

By now the three youngest children had gathered in front of the couch near their parents. Bess watched, bemused, from behind them. Buffy sat there, still looking utterly dejected, next to Spike, who was playing all the parts of the children’s story by himself.

“Now I'm coming to gobble you up,” said Spike, in the deep troll-voice.

“Oh, no!” Spike continued in the squeaky goat voice. “Don't take me. Wait a little ‘til the third Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much, much bigger than I.”

“Very well! Be off with you,” commanded the Spike-troll, puffing his chest up to make his physical presence as dominating as his deep voice.



The kids all giggled at his troll impression, their eyes glittering with delight.

Spike banged his boots on the floor again. Stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp.

“Who's that tramping over my bridge?” roared the Spike-troll again.

“It is I! The biggest Billy Goat Gruff,” answered Spike, in a voice nearly as hoarse and deep as the troll’s.

The kids tittered and even Buffy had to smile at his silly impersonation of a goat and a troll.



“Now I’m coming to gobble you up,” Spike roared in the troll’s deepest, scariest voice.

“Well, come along! I've got two spears,” Spike began the big goat’s rhyme, leering at each of the three children in turn as he spoke. “And I'll poke your eyeballs out at your ears! I've got besides two curling-stones, and I'll crush you to bits, body and bones!”

All the kids' eyes went wide as they shrieked and giggled merrily.

“And then,” Spike drawled in his normal voice, as he moved with lightning speed and gathered Annie, Dani, and Billy tightly in his arms. “A vampire came an’ bonked the troll in the noggin, tossed the wanker off the bridge, and ate all three billy goats up. The end.”

Spike dropped raspberries on the struggling and shrieking children’s necks, arms, and torsos until they all, including Spike, collapsed in a heap of gasping giggles on the floor in front of the sofa.

Buffy’s heart swelled as she laughed with them, her ire at her sister forgotten. She slid down off the couch to sit next to the pile of bodies on the floor.

“Epilogue,” Buffy added to the story. “And then the Slayer came along and captured the vampire’s heart with her feminine wiles. She took him home to meet her mother, who promptly bonked him on the head with an axe and tamed him like a big puppy.”

“Grrrrr…” Spike growled, sounding more like a wolf than a tamed puppy.

Buffy laughed and dropped a kiss on his lips. “Maybe later you can show me how that vampire devoured those poor, helpless goats,” she whispered in his ear.



Spike’s eyes flashed wide and he wrapped his tongue over his teeth lecherously. Buffy’s grin widened and she captured his lips again, the kiss deepening exponentially.

Annie cleared her throat. “Hello? Impressionable children in the room! This is not stealth!” she informed them, shaking her head impatiently. They ignored her.

Annie got up and headed for the kitchen. “Mom said we could have the desserts that were left over from the party for lunch,” she announced to the room in general. Dani and Billy jumped up from their sprawl with glee and followed their sister into the kitchen. What an awesome day! Ice cream sundaes for breakfast and fancy desserts for lunch! Bess followed them – hey, most of those desserts where chocolate.

“Thought they’d never bloody leave,” Spike growled against Buffy’s neck.

“Thank God for sugar-fiends and leftovers,” Buffy agreed before recapturing his mouth with hers.



**~**

{{  Click here to hear Photograph, Nickelback  on YouTube  }}

Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh
How did our eyes get so red
And what the hell is on Joey's head

And this is where I grew up
I think the present owner fixed it up
I never knew we'd ever went without
The second floor is hard for sneaking out

And this is where I went to school
Most of the time had better things to do
Criminal record says I broke in twice
I must have done it half a dozen times

I wonder if it's too late
Should i go back and try to graduate
Life's better now than it was back then
If I was them I wouldn't let me in

Oh, oh, oh
Oh, God, I

Every memory of looking out the back door
I had the photo album spread out on my bedroom floor
It's hard to say it, time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye.
Every memory of walking out the front door
I found the photo of the friend that I was looking for
It's hard to say it, time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye.

Remember the old arcade
Blew every dollar that we ever made
The cops hated us hangin' out
They say somebody went and burned it down

We used to listen to the radio
And sing along with every song we know
We said someday we'd find out how it feels
To sing to more than just the steering wheel

Kim's the first girl I kissed
I was so nervous that I nearly missed
She's had a couple of kids since then
I haven't seen her since god knows when

Oh, oh, oh
Oh, God, I

Every memory of looking out the back door
I had the photo album spread out on my bedroom floor
It's hard to say it, time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye.
Every memory of walking out the front door
I found the photo of the friend that I was looking for
It's hard to say it, time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye.

I miss that town
I miss the faces
You can't erase
You can't replace it
I miss it now
I can't believe it
So hard to stay
Too hard to leave it

If I could I relive those days
I know the one thing that would never change

Every memory of looking out the back door
I had the photo album spread out on my bedroom floor
It's hard to say it, time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye.
Every memory of walking out the front door
I found the photo of the friend that I was looking for
It's hard to say it, time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye.

Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh
Every time I do it makes me...
End Notes:
Next: The last chapter in this 'season' will be next. Another clue about the origin of the Gem of Amarra will be found. They'll end this story with some good news and some bad news.

Thanks to all of you who have left reviews! I really love hearing from you! You give me so much inspiration and can even alter the story with your comments!

I'd love to hear from all you folks out there reading who haven't stopped in. C'mon, don't be shy! I don't bite! Only one chapter left ...
Miles To Go by Passion4Spike
Author's Notes:
We end this ‘season’ with some good news, some bad news, and apparently still miles to go…
**
Thanks to YOU for reading! Without you none of this would mean anything! Giant thanks also to Anona for betaing this chapter, including her grammatical and punctuation corrections, wonderful commentary, and final review. Also thanks to Capella42 for her insightful suggestions that made the whole story better. All mistakes are mine because I simply cannot stop fiddling right up to the very last moment.
Later that afternoon, same day, Sunday, September 11th, 2011:

Spike and Annie worked side-by-side in the garage unloading all the miscellany that had been stowed in the blue recycling bins over the years. Spike generally kept the garage fairly clear and uncluttered – at least the area immediately near his prized Vader-mobile – but the bins had been in a corner, out of the way. They were simply too perfect to resist stashing things in that they ‘might need one day’.

Inside, they found three training wheels ... yes, three. The forth had been bent beyond repair when Dani decided to see if she could jump the curb on her new Huffy Thunder Pro when she was five. That training wheel had taken the full weight of the landing before buckling and sending Dani, and her bike, skidding across the sidewalk.  

The memory of it made Spike think of Bess and the first driving lesson he’d given her. She’d purposely sent the Blue Bomber into a spin any stunt person would’ve been proud of. Despite being born over a century apart, the two literally identical twins were proving to be more and more alike every day. That thought filled Spike with a little shiver of fatherly fear as he hung the three wheels on hooks on the wall – ‘Kenzie would need at least two of them later.

There was an old transistor radio. The battery had been left in it and white crystals now covered easily half of it from where the battery had leaked. Annie decided it was useless – it didn’t even have a USB connection port for goodness sakes – and tossed it in the trash before her dad could see it. He might think it was a classic antique or something. She did the same with a Garfield alarm clock whose electric cord had been cut or chewed in two.

“What’s … ‘jock itch’?” Annie asked, holding up a half-empty can of Cruex.

“Never you mind,” Spike growled, swiping the can from her grasp and tossing it in the garbage.  

Annie laughed. “I know what it is,” she revealed as they continued sorting through the junk.

Spike cocked a brow at her. “Do ya now?”

“Yep – it’s a fungal infection, like ringworm. It likes to grow in warm, damp spots … like your crotch,” Annie smirked. “Who had it? ‘Cos … well … you aren’t all that warm and you don’t sweat. Ooo … was it mom?” she asked conspiratorially, her eyes wide.

“Don’t reckon that’s any of your concern, Niblett,” Spike replied as he pulled out a Magic Eight Ball. “There it is!” he exclaimed, shaking it up and turning it over. “Been lookin’ for this for ages. Still works, too.”

“What’s it say?” she asked, leaning over to see.

“Says, ‘Little bits who wanna save the world should do more work and less yammering,” Spike told her, holding it up high so she couldn’t see it.

“It does not!” Annie argued, rolling her eyes. “Do you think these batteries are any good?” she asked holding up a handful of AA and AAA Duracells.

Spike crinkled his nose up, then shook his head. “Toss ‘em. Was just keepin’ ‘em for hard times.”

Annie was afraid to ask how hard times would have to be for them to have to try and resurrect dead batteries.

“So,” Spike continued as they kept sorting things out of the bins. “Your mum says you were rather smitten with the … errr … Gertie,” Spike offered, nonchalantly. He’d almost said ‘the fruitcake witch’, but that would’ve been ‘not of the good’.



“Smitten?” Annie asked. “That sounds like we’re getting married.”

“Little bits with dictionaries in four languages rambling around their noggins should know that it also means that she affected you strongly,” Spike defended.

“Oh. Well … yeah, I guess,” Annie agreed. “She’s really … spiritual.

“What religion are we?” Annie asked him as they worked. She’d been waiting for an opening to ask that and he’d finally given it to her.

Spike shrugged. “Reckon my birth certificate says ‘Church o’ England’.”

“But we don’t ever go to church … so what does that really mean?” Annie wondered.

“I reckon it means we’re just heathens, pet,” Spike admitted.

“But … what does that mean?” Annie pressed. “Mom said she went to heaven when she died … but Gertie says she, like, graduated to another realm. Gertie says we reincarnate until we … get it, or do something to move on. So what’s real? What’s the truth? Is there a heaven and hell or just other realms? Is there a God, or are there lots of gods like the Greeks had, or no God at all?”

Spike ran a hand through his hair and blew out a breath. He turned one of the now-empty recycle bins over and sat down on it, urging Annie to do the same.

“’Ere’s what I know for certain, pet,” he began, his tone somber. “We’re here now. Period. Need t’ make the most of it. Not sure what happens next, if anything.”

“Oh, that’s … bollocks,” she scolded him, scowling.

Spike cocked a brow at her. “Not bollocks. I know what happened t’ me; I know what your mum said happened to her. They weren’t the same thing, pet. I had trials … long, bloody painful trials; your mum don’t remember havin’ any trials at all.



“What I’m sayin’ is, could be who you are and what you believe makes a difference in what comes next. Are there other realms? We know there are. Are some hellish and others … heavenly? Reckon so. Do we stay in those realms for eternity when we leave here? Not a single buggering clue. Might we reincarnate? Your guess is as good as mine, pet.

“’Course, all that heaven and hell your mum and me saw could a’ just been some kinda figment our muddled minds made up to explain where we’d been, too. Might not be a bloody thing waitin’ on the ‘other side’. Those other realms we know about could just be … other realities. Not places we go after we leave ‘ere, but places that exist alongside this one. Parallel universes and all that rot. Could be when we die we just bloody die.”

Annie rolled her eyes. “That doesn’t help me at all.”

“Sorry, pet. Told ya what I know for sure: We’re here now, make the bloody most of it.”

Annie crossed her arms over her chest and heaved a heavy sigh. “Do you care if I …” She waved her arms around vaguely at the recycling bins.

“Wouldn’t be ‘ere helpin’ ya if I didn’t think it made a bit o’ sense. Been on this old orb a few years longer than you, pet. Been changed, it has, and not for the better. Can’t hurt t’ try and heal a bit o’ the damage.”

“What about if I want to … go to church or … connect with Mother Earth?” she asked tentatively.

“Long as the connecting don’t involve swapping spit with blathering gits that got their brains between their legs or movin’ to Outer Mongolia, got no problem with it,” Spike assured her.



Annie snorted and rolled her eyes. “Daaad,” she moaned. “You and mom swap spit all the time.”

Spike shrugged. “Yeah, told ya already: we’re heathens. It’s part o’ our belief system. A sacred duty, it is. You gotta be old t’ join our religion … very, very old – ancient, in fact.”

Annie laughed and shook her head. “I don’t think that’s what heathenism is … maybe you mean Hedonism?”

Spike shrugged. “Maybe. Whatever you call it, you’re banned. Not takin’ any new members.”

Annie laughed again. “Ok … Thanks for … talking.”

Spike reached his hand out and laid it over hers where it rested on the blue, plastic bin she was sitting on. He leaned forward so he could look into her big blue eyes. “Anne Joyce, you’re a smart girl. Smarter ‘an me and your mum put together. I know you want answers, and things put in nice, tidy compartments, but I can’t give ya that … not on this.” He shook his head a little sadly. “What you want t’ believe is one o’ those things you’ll have to work out on your own.”

Annie bit her bottom lip and nodded. “It’s ok, I get it,” she acknowledged.

Spike nodded and squeezed her hand gently. “Right, then. Let’s get this world-savin’ mission underway, pet,” he said, standing up.

“Do ya know where you mum wants these put in the kitchen?” he asked, picking up two of the now-empty bins.

“Uhhh … I was hoping you’d ask her,” Annie replied sheepishly as she picked the last bin up and started for the house with it. “Maybe you could … swap spit with her and soften her up first.”

“Bloody hell…”

**~**

Later that night, bedtime …

Buffy knocked on Annie’s door and dutifully waited for her daughter to allow entry. She thought she should start getting in the habit; it wouldn’t be long before Annie would start complaining about people just barging into her space, about not having any privacy, yada, yada, yada. She would officially be a teenager in just a few months.

“Hey, sweetie,” Buffy greeted her as she stepped in and closed the door behind herself.



“Dad promised that he’d talk to you about the bins – I swear it wasn’t my idea to put them there…” Annie began defending immediately.

Buffy laughed and waved a dismissive hand. “They’re fine,” she assured her daughter. “It’ll just take a while to get used to using them.”

Annie breathed a sigh of relief. “But it’s for the planet – we need to do it for Mother Earth.”

Buffy gave her daughter a patient smile and sat down on the bed next to her. “Right. You’re right … we need to do our part,” Buffy agreed. “Speaking of … Mother Earth …”

“Mom, please don’t start about Gertie,” Annie begged. “I know you think she’s weird, but I really like her. Even if I can’t get this … third eye stuff, I’d like her to be my friend.”

“I know you do, honey. I just want you to … think for yourself. Take advice, ask questions, read books … go to church if you want, but in the end, make your own choices. No one on this … plane of existence or realm or whatever-the-hell this is, knows.”

“Even you…” Annie slid in softly.

Buffy sighed and nodded. “Even me.”

Annie nodded. “Dad already told me that earlier. It still can’t hurt to be nicer to the planet, though. It is the only one we have.”

“Yeah, that's fine … we’ll do our best,” Buffy agreed. “But don’t expect miracles. I’m not growing another garden, eating tofu or bean curd, and we are not getting a cow.”

Annie rolled her eyes. “I know … A cow’s too big. Dad said we could get a goat.”

“What?!” Buffy shrieked, her eyes wide in horror.



“Gotcha!” Annie teased, laughing.

“Oh, you little…” Buffy began, narrowing her eyes at her daughter.

Annie stuck her tongue out at her mom playfully.

“One day your face is gonna freeze like that … then where will you be?”

Annie giggled. “Moooom, I’m not five!”

Buffy gave her daughter a smile and nodded, her voice turning serious. “I know you’re not, honey, but you’re not a grown-up yet either.

“You know, Dawn was still trying to figure out Gertie’s third-eye stuff when she was in college.”

Annie nodded and reached over to her bedside table to pick up an amethyst crystal that Dawn had given her. “I know…” she agreed, turning the long crystal over in her fingers wishing she could feel its resonance. She couldn’t feel anything … other than the sharp edges and smooth planes.

“So there’s no need to try and rush this, honey. Gertie will be there when you’re ready. If you want to go back and visit her before that – just as a friend – I’m sure we can work it out. Don’t push yourself,” Buffy advised. “There’s no pressure.”

Annie snorted unconsciously, studying the crystal.



“Annie …” Buffy continued, laying a hand over the crystal in her daughter’s hand to make the girl look up at her. “There is no hurry – there’s no need to put pressure on yourself. I know you. You think in terms of goals: Read, remember, take test, get an ‘A’ … rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

“This isn’t gonna be like that, honey. This will be a process – probably a very long process. You need to be patient with yourself. No pressure,” Buffy repeated.

Annie’s eyes wandered over the posters on her walls. Almost all of them were places of power – places where ley lines converged. It seemed … destined somehow. But what if it wasn’t? She turned her gaze back to her mom and asked in a very small voice, “What if I can’t do it … ever?”

“It won’t matter,” Buffy assured her. “I know how badly you want to succeed at everything you try, honey – but the truth is: life isn’t like that. We don’t always win every game we play. The point is: we played. We tried. It’s having the courage to try that’s the most important thing.

“When you feel ready – and only then – we’ll call Gertie and start. If you never feel ready, then that’s really fine too. I just want you to know all the possibilities you have, so you can decide which road you want to take. You do not have to do it if you don’t want to, but don’t let fear of failing stop you from trying if it’s something you really want to do.

“There’s no shame in not snatching the brass ring, only in not reaching for it if that's what you really want. Okay?” Buffy concluded.

Annie took a deep breath and blew it out slowly, still turning the crystal over and over in her fingers. “How will I know what I really want?”

“That’s sometimes the hardest thing to figure out. It can be hard to sort out what you think you should do, what you think other people want you to do, what you think is the so-called dutiful thing to do, and what your heart really wants to do.

“Sometimes it’s really clear – I mean like with your languages. You really love learning them and you’re good at it. Those are the easy choices. Sometimes it’s as easy as flipping a coin. In that split second the coin is in the air you suddenly realize what outcome you’re really hoping for – problem solved. Other times you might have to try something first and see if you like it. There’s no rule that says you can’t change your mind if you figure out you’ve made a mistake,” Buffy advised.

“I’d hate to let you all down, though. What if I started trying to learn and Gertie spends a bunch of time with me then I … quit?” Annie wondered.

“No one is going to be disappointed in you, sweet girl. If you try and just don’t like it, it’s fine. All your dad and I ever want is for you to be happy – and, as fruity as Gertie is, I’m sure she’d say the same. Hell … she worries about making sure that cow of hers is all … at peace and content. I think she’d treat you as well as the cow,” Buffy assured her.

Annie rolled her eyes but finally nodded.

“Listen – nothing has to be decided anytime soon, okay?” Buffy concluded. “One day, if you feel like you want to try – fine. If you never want to – fine. Don’t worry about it – just let it come to you. Deal?”

“Deal,” Annie agreed, still sounding slightly unsure.

“Hug on it,” Buffy suggested, spreading her arms out.

Annie smiled, sat up in bed, and leaned into her mom’s embrace.



“I love you, sweet girl,” Buffy whispered against her daughter’s soft, brown curls.

“I love you too, Mom,” Annie replied, her head resting against Buffy’s shoulder. “Even if you do mix pop culture references with Latin. ‘Rinse and repeat ad infinitum’? Really?”

Buffy dropped a kiss on Annie’s head and gave her daughter a quick, hard squeeze. “What can I say? I’m ambidextrous.”

**~**

Later that evening…

Spike came into the bedroom after his shower and found Buffy propped up in bed, her journal on her lap. Her face was a study in consternation as she chewed thoughtfully on the end of a ballpoint pen.

“Writing me a love poem, pet?” Spike asked, leaning over to look at what she was working on.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “As if…” she huffed. “You just told me last night that I didn’t have a poetic bone in my body.”

Spike wagged his brows at her suggestively. “Never too late t’ grow one ...”



Buffy laughed and shook her head. “That would be interesting.”

“Or I could lend you mine for a bit,” he continued, running his tongue over his lips and leering at her.

“Now that sounds like a plan…” Buffy agreed, still smiling.

Spike sat down on the bed next to her, looked over her shoulder at the pages in front of her, and sighed. That bloody prophecy bollocks.

“It’s not bollocks…” Buffy defended, even though he hadn’t said it out loud or sent it through the bond.

Spike snorted. “You know as well as I do they change those bloody prophecies all the time. They aren’t carved in stone, Slayer.”

“I know … but it doesn’t hurt to just … be ready – have all the clues, just in case,” Buffy defended.

“Ok, I’ll bite,” Spike punned, smirking. “What’s the latest clue?”

“Something Gertie said: ‘Your final journey will one day be clear. The mother within will show you the path; take heed of her call.’”

“Sounds like a bloody fortune cookie from the Chinese place,” Spike scoffed.

Buffy rolled her eyes but otherwise ignored him. “I just can’t figure out if it means anything or not,” Buffy admitted. “And when she says ‘the mother within,’ does she mean Mother Earth, which she went on about constantly, or my mothering instincts?”

“Thought you said she was a fruitloop…” Spike pointed out.

Buffy sighed. “She is … but she’s also…” Buffy paused and thought about it a moment. “She knew stuff … like she could see part of your soul inside me. She may be a giant, nutty granola bar, but there’s something more to her than that.”

“And you’re worried that she’s talkin’ about your mother instincts ‘cos of what happened in that other world … with the Niblett,” Spike sussed out.



Buffy stuffed the end of the pen back in her mouth and crunched down on it, cracking the plastic. “Crap…” she muttered, tossing the pen in the garbage. “I need to have Anya buy stock in Papermate…”

“Avoidin’ the question, Slayer,” Spike prodded.

“I didn’t hear a question. I heard a statement. There was no question mark at the end, thus – not a question,” she defended, rummaging through the drawer of her bedside table to find another pen.

“Buffy,” Spike began, putting a hand on her shoulder to pull her away from her task. “Listen t’ me, luv,” he cajoled.

Buffy stopped what she was doing and turned to look at him.

“You’re a good mum ... the best. I know, with all my heart and soul, that you’ll defend the bits t’ the death. You’d never knowingly put ‘em in danger. I know that Slayer’s a tricky, self-righteous bitch, but you can take ‘er, pet.”

“Hey! Did you just call me a bitch?” she asked, narrowing her eyes and frowning at him.



“I called your demon a bitch. Can’t deny it, luv,” Spike clarified, quirking a brow at her.

Buffy rolled her eyes and blew out a sharp, frustrated breath. “I hope you’re right … about the taking her part, not the bitch part.”

“Have I ever been wrong?” Spike wondered smugly.

Buffy barked out a laugh. “Only always! You’re a man! Men, by definition, are wrong. Unless, of course, you agree with me, then you’re right.”

“Weren’t complainin’ last night ‘bout me being a man,” Spike pointed out with a smirk.



“Well… you do have your uses,” Buffy admitted with a flirtatious smile.

Buffy reached a hand out toward Spike’s pelvic region but he slapped it away. “I’m insulted. No touching the poetic bone until you apologize,” he huffed. “With a poem.”

Buffy snorted a laugh. “You want a poem? From me?”

Spike crossed his arms over his chest indignantly and nodded sharply.

“Okay… you asked for it,” Buffy mumbled as she turned the page in her journal and retrieved a pen.

She tapped the pen on the page as she thought. “What rhymes with ‘insufferable’? ‘Imbecile’? Does that work? It has L-E on the end…” she mused aloud.

“Better be a nice poem, Slayer, or me and my bone will roll over an’ go t’ sleep,” Spike warned.

“Creep…” Buffy growled as she began to write.

Spike’s a rock
So is his cock
A wicked fock


“Ok, there ya go …” she announced, handing the open journal to him.

Spike looked at her doubtfully as he took the book. “What the bloody hell is that?”

“A haiku,” Buffy explained, grinning devilishly.

“‘Fock’? ‘Fock’ is not a word, Slayer. And haikus are five-seven-five…”

“Free-form haiku,” she asserted. “And ‘fock’ is ‘fuck’ in a Scandinavian or German accent.”



“Uh-huh,” he grunted, shaking his head and trying to fully appreciate his wife’s lack of poetic talent. It suddenly made him feel like his poems were on par with Frost or Yeats.

“Hey – you asked for Poet-Buffy. Don’t blame me if it’s too deep for you. Now, give me my prize,” she demanded, reaching her hand out again.

“You do realize that haikus don’t strictly have to rhyme, yeah?” he asked. “Most don’t … at all.”

Buffy stopped her hand in mid-air and frowned. “That’s just … wrong. Poems rhyme. Everyone knows that! Geez … un-rhyme-y poems are like un-chocolate-y ice cream. Why bother?”

“It’s a good thing I love you, you balmy bint,” Spike rumbled as her hand continued its trek, and her warm fingers wrapped around his poetic bone. He closed her journal and dropped it to the floor.

“It’s also a good thing I’m a wicked fock,” she purred before capturing his lips with hers.

He could only moan in agreement.

**~**

Next day, Monday, September 12th, 2011, early morning…

The next morning dawned dark and cloudy. A rolling rumble of thunder woke Buffy from peaceful sleep. She stretched a little before snuggling closer to Spike’s back, spooning against him. A soft sigh purred from her throat as she let her eyes fall closed again, listening to the storm blow over the house, pounding raindrops on the windows, and rattling the foundation with thick bursts of thunder. It would be a good day to stay in bed.

As she lay there in that foggy place between sleep and wakefulness, listening to the storm and holding her husband, words began emerging from the fog. They danced around her mind, dreamlike, for many long minutes. When they finally coalesced into something recognizable, Buffy slipped from the bed and silently retrieved her journal from the floor where Spike had dropped it the night before.

Underneath the haiku she’d written for Spike the previous night, she scribbled the words that had come to her…


thunder drowns
the twilight-blue dawn
stirring me from
stormy dreams
of you

 
Buffy pursed her lips and nodded triumphantly. She shot Spike a mental raspberry. How’s that for no poetry bone?

Later that day, early afternoon:

Despite the stormy start, the skies had cleared by mid-morning and a bright autumn sun shone down as Buffy retrieved the mail from the box. The front of the mansion still gave Buffy a bit of a start every time she looked at it. She wasn’t sure she’d ever get used to the ‘Fornicating M&M Hippie Commune’ look, but she had to appreciate its power to keep her safe while going to the mailbox. Mrs. Katz rarely accosted her in view of the bright, bubbling muddle of colors that covered the front of the house.

She walked back from the mailbox, idly scanning the letters and adverts that she’d retrieved. Bill, bill, magazine, junk, junk that looks like bill … bill that looks like junk… God, why can’t things just be simple?

One letter was different though. The postmark was from Huntington Beach; the return address showed it was from her patent attorney: Samuel J. Liston. She tore the envelope open as she entered the front foyer, idly kicking the door closed behind her. Buffy kept walking toward the kitchen as she pulled the heavy stock paper from the envelope and unfolded it with a flick of her wrist and began to read:

Dear Mrs. Summers-Weckerly,

As per your request, after securing a trademark on the name ‘Scrunchie’ and obtaining a United States patent on your invention, our firm has solicited bids from manufacturers, worldwide, who have shown interest in purchasing the trademark and patent.

We have received five bids from reputable companies that we feel are competitive. At this time, we would recommend accepting the offer from the Chinese company: Benan Xuchang. Although their bid is not the highest absolute dollar figure, they are offering cash up-front rather than a payment over time, which we believe will insulate your interests if the success of the product does not meet their expectations or if there is a further downturn in the economy.

Of course, I am available to discuss all options with you or your financial advisor at anytime. Attached is a summary of the five offers and their stipulations. Please contact me at your earliest convenience …





Buffy flipped the page over and quickly scanned the summary of the offers. She froze. The other mail, bills and junk alike, fell out of her hand and fluttered to the floor, forgotten.

“Spike…” she screamed. Well, actually, it was a low, rasping croak. She tried to scream, but she couldn’t – all the air had escaped her lungs.

Buffy swallowed and tried again. Her voice cracked and sounded more like the squeak of a rusty cemetery gate being forced to move after years of neglect. Her knees wobbled under her and she simply dropped to her butt on the floor in the great room, just outside the kitchen.

“Spi…” she tried again but her throat was still too constricted for air to flow through it properly. She shook her head, and cleared her throat. “Spike!” Finally! It came out. “Spike! … SPIKE!” she shrieked.

“What! What is it!?” he demanded, ignoring the stairs and simply leaping down from the second floor in a panic. “Buffy! What is it, luv? What’s wrong?” he asked frantically when he saw her sprawled, seemingly dumbfounded, in the middle of the floor.

He was to her in a second, his eyes scanning the area for an intruder, then raking over her, looking for injuries. “What is it, luv?” he repeated, alarmed, his eyes wide with worry.

Buffy’s throat had closed again. She simply handed the papers to him, looking up at him with wide, stunned eyes.

“What the bloody hell is it?” he demanded again, scanning the papers quickly. His lips moved as he read the first page, his eyes ticking left and right with vampiric speed. Three seconds after he flipped to the second page, he had dropped unceremoniously onto his butt next to her.



“Bloody hell…” he muttered, his eyes fixed on the page and dilated with astonishment.

He finally raised his gaze and looked up at her. They were mirror images of each other: two deer caught in the headlights.

“We’re filthy rich,” Spike muttered at last.

Buffy nodded wildly, still unable to speak, her eyes growing even wider, if that was possible.

“Bloody hell, Buffy! We’re …”

“Loaded,” she finished for him, finally finding her voice.

Spike threw his head back and joyous laughter rumbled from his throat filling the whole house with his elation. Buffy began to laugh giddily along with him, and in a moment they were hugging there on the floor, laughing like intoxicated, maniacal lunatics. And then their laughter was muted by their lips crushing against one another’s in frantic delight. In the next second Buffy was crying joyous tears, and Spike couldn’t stop from crying with her.



It wasn’t as if they were poor before this. The money Spike had won in the Demon UFC tournament had gotten them out of the hole and allowed them to live comfortably. Add to that Anya’s talent for investing, the paychecks they were getting from the Council, and the money they’d gotten for Spike’s part in the FBI submarine mission, and they’d been living pretty well lately.

Even with all that, though, there were some pretty substantial outflows to be considered. They did still have four children to raise and five to put through college, assuming they all wanted to go. Add to that the fact that four of them were girls and, thus, there would presumably be four weddings to pay for, and the money started dwindling quickly. They also had an aging home to maintain and a minivan that had been on its last leg for about a year. None of that would be a problem now. They could send the kids to any college they wanted, their daughters could get married in a style that would make the Kardashians jealous, they could replace that minivan with a stretch Hummer if they wanted to, and a full copper re-pipe of the mansion would be chump change.

“You are bloody brilliant, pet,” Spike murmured to her as he wiped the tears from her cheeks with the pad of his thumb.

Buffy was still half-laughing and half-crying as she leaned her forehead against his. Her chest had suddenly tightened and her tears had turned from happy to regretful just that fast. “I’d give it all up to get those five years back,” Buffy admitted, her tears streaming faster now, interspersed with gasping sobs. “I lost so much … so many memories I’ll … never be able to get back.”



Spike sighed, feeling her pain, and pulled her against him tighter as they sat there on the floor. He rocked her gently as she cried for the five lost years she spent in alone in Hallie’s Wish World, meting out vengeance on Vengeance Demons. It had been that bitch’s wish that had started that whole nightmare for Buffy, and had somehow also deleted Scrunchies from the world. Even after Buffy managed to mostly change things back, some things didn’t revert – like Scrunchies. Until now, anyway.

There had been positives that came out of that hellish time, of course. Bess for one. If not for Hallie’s wish, Bess would not exist. MacKenzie was the other miracle that was created, literally conceived, in that world. Buffy would never give either of them up – she loved them both too much – but she would gladly give every Scrunchie-dollar the Chinese company was offering to get the five years back that she’d lost with her other children.

Spike ‘shushed’ her, kissed her tears away, and held her to him with strong, comforting arms. He rocked her gently, soothingly, for a long while as she alternatively cried and laughed; wept for the losses and reveled in her ultimate victory.

They were still there on the floor when Annie, Dani, Billy, and JJ came bursting through the garden doors after school. The kids knew something was wrong because no one came to meet them at the bus. They’d run all the way home, fearful and panicked.

“What’s wrong!? What happened?” Annie demanded frantically as they all slid to a stop near Buffy and Spike. Backpacks full of books thumped heavily to the floor, and the kid’s chests heaved with the exertion of their run and their fear.

Buffy took a deep, calming breath, swallowed her tears, and wiped her eyes. She picked up the letter that had gotten dropped along the way, and decided to take Dawn’s advice: It’s totally my choice how I react to circumstances.

There really was no use crying over spilled milk; with this money, she could buy more milk … hell, she could buy a dairy. She’d never get those lost years or memories back – no amount of money could do that – but she could keep making new memories with her family, and she’d have to be content with that.

“We’re rich!” she announced in answer to Annie’s question, letting her sad melancholy fade and the giddy excitement return. She waved the letter in the air triumphantly as she and Spike rose to their feet. “Insanely, disgustingly, filthy rich!” she elucidated, gathering her kids, and JJ, in a fierce embrace.

**~**

Later that day, early evening…

“So,” Willow sighed in conclusion, “Native American, huh?”

Buffy shrugged, fingering the silver scroll sheath that kept the fragile parchment inside safe. “That’s what Gertie thought,” she agreed. “Probably southwest …”



Annie worked at the research table as Buffy talked to Willow and Tara on the speaker phone next to her, relaying what they’d learned from Gertie about the craftsmanship of the silver scroll that decoded the Gem of Amarra book.

“Of course …” Willow continued, her voice crackling slightly over the phone, “… that doesn’t mean they wrote it. They might’ve just found it and made the cylinder, or the author might’ve found the cylinder and just used it for the scroll.”

Buffy sighed again. They were apparently no closer to translating the language of the book than they had been before she’d opened her mind to the whole nightmare of the Gift-less Universe and remembered the ‘decoder-ring’ that Annie had discovered there.

“But … it’s a place to start, anyway,” Tara interjected, trying to sound hopeful.

Annie came to the end of a page and looked up from her work. She’d decoded about ten pages of the book all-told since her mom had produced it, like magic, from the protected vault at Council headquarters. She knew that Willow and Tara had decoded at least that many, as well. Unfortunately, the language that it was decoded into was still a mystery to them.

As she looked around the great room and research area, letting her eyes rest a bit, she saw Troy and Bess enter through the door that led to the garage. Annie brightened. She’d been waiting to show Troy the treasure she’d found in Dorset. Staying quiet while her mom continued talking to Willow and Tara, she beckoned the couple over as she dug the rock out of her pocket.

“Hey, Bookworm,” Troy greeted her in a whisper, tousling her curls like she was five.



Annie didn’t mind too much, though. Troy was cool … waaaay cool. He was gonna be the next Indiana Jones, only bigger, stronger, and hotter. When he got out of school, he’d ride his motorcycle on dangerous missions with his long, black hair billowing out behind him. He’d make off with the treasures, stealing them right out from under the noses of the bad guys like a deadly ghost. He’d be the hero of the archeological world, keeping the ancient, powerful artifacts out of the hands of the evil people that wanted to use them for bad mojo. Oh yeah, he was waaay cool.

“Look what I found,” Annie whispered back, smiling at him as she handed him the shard of rock with the fossil imprinted on it.



Troy took it from her hand and settled a serious gaze onto her prize. “Looks like Annularia foliage,” he announced. “Probably from the Carboniferoius period. Neat specimen, Bookworm. Where’d ya get it?” he asked as he showed the rock to Bess, who was next to him.

Annie beamed. “Dorset … in England … near Lulworth Cove. It’s really old, right?”

Troy chuckled, handing the rock back to her. “A little … maybe three hundred and fifty million years or so.”

Annie’s eyes widened. “Really? Wow that’s … totally old.”

“Be cool for ‘Show and Tell’, kiddo. Let me know if you want some help researching it,” Troy offered.

Annie resisted rolling her eyes. Didn’t he know she was too old for ‘Show and Tell’?
 
Before she could answer, Bess touched a hand down on the paper Annie had been working on and asked, “How’s the decoding going?”

Annie sighed, setting her prize down on the table. “Ok … but we still don’t know what language it’s in.”

Bess nodded sadly as her eyes settled on the incoherent groups of letters on the paper. Since the Olympics, she’d relinquished the Gem to Spike; it was his, after all. But that didn’t mean she didn’t wish for one of her own. She missed being able to go out in the sun, to feel its warmth tingle her pale skin. She missed being able to ride down the PCH on her bike and see the ocean sparkle like an endless sea of sapphires under the golden rays.

She kept telling herself that she shouldn’t expect such things – she was a vampire, after all. She told herself she should be happy with what she had, which was so much more than she’d ever dreamed of during the first century of her unlife. But, she couldn’t help but feel a little jealous of her brothers and sisters when they blithely headed into the bright daylight to play, taking no notice of the sun that bathed them with its gentle warmth.

Troy put a comforting hand on Bess’ slender shoulder, knowing how much it meant to her. He followed her gaze down and looked at what Annie had been working on. His eyes narrowed and he blinked, then reached down and picked the paper up to look closer.

“What?” Bess asked, watching him intently.

His brows furrowed as he looked over the decoded text, then he looked up at his girlfriend, his aquamarine eyes tinted a shade darker with his intensity. “This … word …” he stammered, brows drawing nearly together as he looked over the paper.

“What?” Bess pressed, trying to see what he was looking at.

“Are there any … pictures that go with this?” Troy asked Annie, ignoring Bess while waving the paper with the decoded manuscript in front of the girl’s face.

When Annie didn’t immediately answer, he clarified, “In the original? Are there any pictures … drawings?”

Annie balked a moment, taken off-guard, but then nodded. “Yeah – the original book has drawings. That’s how we knew it was about the Gem – there was a drawing of it.”

“Can I see?” Troy demanded impatiently.

“Uhhh … yeah – here,” Annie offered, sliding the stack of photocopies of the original book, from which she’d been working, over to him.

Troy dropped down into the chair next to Annie and began scanning the pages, turning them quickly. About half-way through, he suddenly stopped and slapped his hand down on a drawing of a fanged, bat-faced humanoid.



By now Buffy, Willow, and Tara had stopped talking, and everyone was watching – or listening, in the case of Willow and Tara – to Troy in earnest.

“This is Raamar,” he announced confidently.

“Raamar?” Bess repeated. “Is that like … Klingon?” she asked, trying to lighten the sudden tension that suddenly gripped the room.

Troy scowled, ignoring her joke, and shook his head. “No. The Raamar Nation was a tribe of Native Americans who lived near Yuma, Arizona, down near Mexico, along the lower Colorado River.”

“How do you know?” Buffy asked, standing up to come over and look at what Troy was looking at.

“This picture. It’s one of the Raamar’s Great Spirits. And this word here … that Annie decoded, see?” he asked, holding the paper up that the girl had just finished. “It’s the name of the spirit: Aurelius.”

Buffy’s eyes went wide with recognition of the name. “Aurelius …” she murmured, looking at the drawing. “That’s not a … spirit; that’s a … freaking vampire!”

Troy looked at the drawing more closely. “Huh … Well ... if you say so. Ugly SOB. I thought vampires looked more ... human. The legends say it was some kind of bat spirit. A lot of Native American Spirits take the form of animals.”

Annie suddenly became excited and hopeful that they had finally – finally – found the answer. Now they could make Bess her very own Gem. Her dad and her sister could both be protected – both be safe – all the time.



"Really old vampires get ... more batty," Buffy explained, chewing on her bottom lip as she looked at the drawing. "Are you sure about ... this Raamar thing?"

"Yeah, totally. I've seen this same likeness in cave paintings that have been conclusively attributed to them," Troy assured her.

“Oh my God! That’s …” Buffy began, flabbergasted. She started frantically gathering up the papers Annie had decoded. “Let’s go! Let’s go to Yuma and get this translated!”

“Ummm … you missed the key word in there … they lived in Yuma – past tense.”

“Oookay … where did they move? We’ll go anywhere,” Buffy offered.

“You’re not getting it, Mrs. Weckerly. They’re dead. Gone. Extinct. Have been for, like … a century.”

“B-but,” Buffy stammered. “You know about them. So … someone knows the language, right?”

The big man seemed to shrink several inches. “As far as I know, there’s no one alive that speaks Raamar. Until now, I don’t know if we’ve ever even had a sample of their actual language.

“Stories from third parties, some shards of pottery, and a few cave paintings are about all we have on the Raamar Nation. There are a few stories about this Great Spirit Aurelius; he was some kind of protector.”

Buffy snorted out a sarcastic laugh. The vampire Aurelius was their Guardian Angel? That seemed unlikely.

“Someone has to know something,” Buffy contended, waving the papers in the air futilely.

Troy shook his head. “Maybe … but from what I’ve learned in college, they’re one of the great mysteries of America’s indigenous peoples.
 
“We know where they lived, mostly through stories passed down from neighboring tribes, Mexican folklore, and some accounts from Spanish missionaries. Archeologists have found some remnants of their civilization, but written language? Nothing like that. Most Native Americans don’t have any written accounts of anything. I mean, there was no reason for them to write anything down. If this book is, in fact, Raamar, it would be a truly amazing artifact.”

“Fuck artifact!” Buffy barked, flinging her arms away from her body, papers still in her hand. “How do we get it translated into a real language we can understand?”



“I have no idea,” Troy admitted, cringing away from Buffy’s outburst, defeat evident in his voice.

Bess, who had begun to let hope gain a handhold in her heart, felt tears of frustration and despair sting her eyes. Annie moaned audibly at Troy’s words as the excitement that had begun to build in her deflated almost painfully.

Buffy slumped down into a chair, released the papers, and dropped her head into her hands. She wanted to bang her forehead on the table a few dozen times, but didn’t want to appear quite that crazy around Bess’ beau. “Crap, crap, crap.”

They’d been thwarted at every turn. They’d come so far and yet it appeared they still had miles to go…
 
**~** THE END **~**
 
Epilogue, a few days later (because I can’t let my evil muse end it on a downer like that):



Spike yawned widely as he came into the dark house. It was late … really late. He hadn’t planned on staying at The Fish Bowl so long tonight, but he’d been winning and he never quit when he was winning. Well, not until he’d won it all. Not that they needed the money, of course – money wasn’t really the point. The point was winning. This night it had been poker, and he’d cleaned up.



He headed for the kitchen to grab a quick snack of hemoglobin before going upstairs, but was stopped when he found a note atop his favorite mug. The thick stationary felt rich and almost silky in his hands as he unfolded it and began to read…

*~*~*

My dearest William,

I know my poetic bone isn’t well developed, but I think I might have one somewhere. It’s probably small, and I’m sure it’s been broken a few times … probably dislocated, and definitely cracked once or twice. Keeping that in mind, I hope, as you read this, you don’t laugh.

My Vow by Buffy Summers-Weckerly

With miles to go,
Before I sleep,
I hold your hand,
So I can keep,
You by my side,
In my soul, so deep.
 
With miles to go,
Before I rest,
I press my body,
Against your chest,
With just a whisper,
All my love confessed.
 
With miles to go,
Before I die,
I hold your heart,
Close to mine,
It warms me true,
When alone I lie.
 
With miles to go,
Blue skies above,
I thank the gods,
For our love,
Ever present as a,
Turtle dove.
 
With miles to go,
I promise thou,
To love you always,
As then and now,
We are forever,
My solemn vow.
 
Assuming you haven’t fallen on the floor in fits of laughter by now, if you’d like to help me hone my poetic bone, come dance with me in the moonlight. I’m waiting for you …
 
With all my love, 
~Buffy

 
*~*~*



Spike smiled at her poem, but didn’t laugh. It warmed something deep inside; it was a place only she had ever been able to touch. She could reach in there and kindle that fire so easily that it would’ve frightened him if he hadn’t known that he affected her equally.

She’d obviously worked hard on the verse, dug deep … I mean, resorting to ‘thou’? That’s scraping the bottom of the rhyming barrel. And he should know. It was especially endearing since he was pretty sure, to use the form properly, it should’ve been ‘thee’. But, who was he to criticize? Poetic license, right?

He folded and tucked the note into his jeans pocket and headed for the back yard. He wished he could get a shower before going out there, but it was already late. How long had she been waiting for him?

He stepped outside and saw her immediately. She’d fallen asleep waiting for him. She was curled up on her side lying on a blanket under the nearly-full moon. She’d pulled half the blanket over her body to ward off the chill, and had it tucked up under her chin tightly, like a security blanket. She looked more like a girl than a woman at that moment.

He ambled silently over to where Buffy lay, flipped his duster back behind him, and crouched down next to her. Sleeping under the silver light of the moon, her face looked more serene and beautiful than anyone had a right to. How someone so strong, so ferocious, could look so innocent and vulnerable was beyond him. It made him want to take her in his arms and protect her from anything and everything – forever. He knew she’d never allow it, but that didn’t make the urge lessen in the least.

Despite how quiet he’d been, Buffy stirred, her eyes fluttering open sleepily.

“Sorry I’m so late, luv,” Spike whispered, brushing a lock of hair back from her face.

Buffy smiled up at him and stretched her limbs. Shapely, and quite bare, arms and legs poked out of the cover of the blanket. “It’s ok … just soaking up some rays while I waited,” she teased, her voice rough from sleep.

“Would you be soakin’ in the … nude, luv?” he asked tilting his head to see down the blanket further.



Buffy smirked at him and sat up, clutching the blanket to her chest and pulling it around her torso. “Wouldn’t you like to know?”

“Too right,” Spike agreed enthusiastically, still trying to peek down the front of the cover.

“Well, you’ll have to earn it.”

“Will I? And what did ya have in mind, pet?”

“A dance … in the moonlight,” Buffy divulged, standing up. She wrapped the blanket around her like a sarong and secured it under her arms, never giving Spike a peek.

“To hone your poetic bone?” he asked, standing up with her.

Buffy shrugged one bare shoulder.

“If it gets any sharper, you’ll be a bigger sap than me, luv.”

“Did you … like it?” Buffy wondered tentatively, her green eyes flickering up to his hopefully.

Spike bit his bottom lip as he took her in his arms and began swaying slowly under the moon to unheard music. “Loved it, pet. Brilliant.”

Buffy smiled against his chest as they danced. “Well, you may just get to see what’s under the blanket after all, Mr. Weckerly.”

“I’m quite looking forward to that, my dear Mrs. Weckerly,” Spike replied in the accent of his youth. “Thou art a woman after my own heart.”

Buffy giggled. “See? I told Annie you’d like the ‘thou’ thing. It’s like … old-timey and chivalrous and stuff – like you.”

“I am humbled by thy kind words, milady,” Spike continued in William’s accent, his heart swelling a bit more. Apparently she hadn’t actually been scraping the bottom of the barrel for that word, after all. She’d used it intentionally … because he’d like it.

Buffy smiled again and sighed contentedly. “I will, ya know? Love you always.”

Spike turned his face and kissed the side of her head gently as his arms wrapped around her tighter. “I’ll love you forever, too, pet.”



 THE VERY END (for now).

**~**

{{  Click here to hear Miles to Go (Before I Sleep) by Celine Dion on YouTube  }}

I would walk to the edge of the universe for you
Paint you a crimson sunset over sheltering skies
I could learn all the world dialects for you
Whisper sonnets in your ear discovering truth
I could never worship pagan gods around me
I will only follow the path that leads me to you baby... always

Every step I take for you
I will always defend, never pretend
That every breath I take for love
I could never be wrong, the journey is long
With miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep...

I would carry the rock of Gibraltar just for you
Lifted like a pebble from the beach to the skies
I could build you a bridge that spans the ocean wide
But the greatest gift I give you would be to stand by your side
Some can criticize and sit in judgment of us
But they can't take away the love that lives inside us always

Every step I take for you
I will always defend, never pretend
That every breath I take for love
I could never be wrong, the journey is long
With miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep...

I won't run from the changing signs along the highway
Let the rivers flow to the highest ground created

End Notes:
That's the end of this 'season', this saga. I hope you enjoyed it!
What's coming up in the future? Troy and Spike will go on a mission together to try and get more information about the creation of the Gem. It will probably be two or three weeks before I start posting that. It will be a short-ish story, basically a lead-in to next 'season'. In the meantime, I'll continue posting the 'Turn Me On' story so there will be something new from me for you to read every few days for a while. Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to hear from you - let me know if you are still enjoying the ride, if you have any requests, questions, suggestions let me know! All comments are welcome!