And With This Power by Faith04
Summary: Buffy stares over the now ruined Hellmouth that was Sunnydale. As her friends discuss beating the First, she starts to feel strange. Before she knows what's happening, she's sent back in the past to Season 6...still able to keep her memories! But how does she deal with new evils sent her way?
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 25079 Read: 24912 Published: 10/27/2004 Updated: 12/13/2004

1. Mommy Knows Best by Faith04

2. Life After Death by Faith04

3. Expectations by Faith04

4. Righting Future Wrongs by Faith04

5. Old Habits Die Hard by Faith04

6. Losing My Mind by Faith04

7. A Roman Hick by Faith04

8. No Matter How I try by Faith04

9. Once More With Feeling by Faith04

10. Hurt by Faith04

11. Lies by Faith04

12. If It Wasn't For You by Faith04

13. Fall in Line by Faith04

14. Get Out by Faith04

15. Bad for the Soul by Faith04

16. Hanging On by Faith04

17. Let It Go by Faith04

Mommy Knows Best by Faith04
Disclaimer: I own nothing but the plotline on this fanfiction. Unless I add my own characters.

And With This Knowledge

Chapter One: Mommy Knows Best


Buffy laced fingers with Spike and both their hands caught fire. Despite the blistering pain, she still held his hand. What could she possibly say that would sum up everything she had felt, currently feels, and would feel if he were to stay alive?

“I love you.” It’s what he’d been waiting so long to hear.

“No you don’t. But thanks for saying it. Now go.”

The entire time she ran, she thought about how selfish she was being. It would be so easy to pull him out and get him to the bus. He’d have a few burns, but still…he’d be there.

With a heart-racing jump, she fell on to the top of the bus. It sped out of Sunnydale and on to the safety of the nearby road.

And once more, Spike knocked down the ‘Welcome to Sunnydale’ sign.

Buffy felt lost in her daze. Had she really loved him? If not it was pretty damn close.

After everything she’d put him through, he came out in the end. For her. Tears threatened to fall, but she wouldn’t allow it. He’d want her to be happy that she’d won.

And she was. She may have lost someone she was close to. But it wouldn’t keep her down forever. Nothing ever did.

“Yeah, Buffy. What are we going to do now?”

A smile of pure happiness came across her lips. A happiness that he had caused. A happiness he’d died to give her.

Suddenly, Buffy felt the ground spinning beneath her. Although the world seemed to be fading into a hundred different things, her friends acted as if nothing was happening. “Guys…”

What the hell was going on?

First she felt a sharp pain…like landing from a long jump. As her eyes adjusted to the new light, she had no idea where she was. It was dark. She was on the ground. That much she knew. But her vision was slightly blurred. Her muscles ached and she didn’t seem to be getting much oxygen. She got on her knees and brought herself to her feet.

The first thing she realized was that she was wearing a dress…a black one.

Then she noticed that she was in a cemetery…not just any cemetery. It was the Sunnydale graveyard. “What the hell?” She managed to say out loud. But her voice surprised her. It was hoarse and sounded too weak.

She spotted the last clue. Her own headstone. With her name and a few words to rest in peace.

But why would she be back in Sunnydale…at a time that took place over a year ago?

This was the time she’d been brought back by Willow and her friends. But didn’t she just see Sunnydale go down in ruins?

Finally, her questions were answered when her mother appeared with a white light surrounding her.

“Mommy?” Buffy said weakly. Joyce smiled and began to explain what was happening.

“Sweetheart, everything you think you remember from this past year…it never happened. Not yet anyway.” Buffy looked confused. “You died saving Dawn. You went to Heaven. While you were there, we gave you all the knowledge of the things that are to come within the next year and a half.”

“But…I feel like I was actually living it…”

“I know. And it will always feel that way. But you have the chance to make things right this time. I spared you from having to live digging from your grave again. I couldn’t do that to you.”

Buffy blinked her eyes to slightly clear her vision, though it didn’t work much.

“Buffy, do you remember what was going on when you first came back to life?” Buffy nodded. The demons were trying to take over the town. And her friends…

“Crap. My friends. They’re in trouble…” Buffy muttered. She turned to Joyce, but her mother was already gone.

Buffy turned to start running, but found that she still had the side effects from coming back to life. It was annoying. She felt slow, couldn’t see well, and she hurt all over.

She went back to the first place she remembered seeing them. She wanted it to go about the same as it did before, so she quickly ran off after saving them and went to her next destination.

She remembered that Dawn had gone to the tower. Buffy went and waited near the base to wait for her. She wasn’t actually going up there this time.

“Buffy?” Dawn’s voice came from a few feet away. She had a worried, yet gleeful expression on her face.

Buffy wanted so much to tell Dawn that she felt fine, and that nothing was wrong. But just like the first time, her body wouldn’t react the way she wanted it to.

For some reason she couldn’t speak much, she still felt the pain, her hands were bleeding, and things seemed jumbled in her head.

Buffy held Dawn close to her, even though it seemed like just a few minutes ago they were talking outside the ruins of Sunnydale.

It was a while later that they stood in front of Buffy’s house. Why was it that even though she didn’t remember crawling out of her grave, she was still in shock?

Letting Dawn lead her inside, she changed with the help of Dawn, and then began to examine her house. It’d been so long since she’d seen it without piles of teenage girls everywhere.

And then the most wonderful thought hit her like a truck. I say truck, because thinking too hard was definitely giving her a headache.

Spike. He was alive. Here…in a few minutes.

“Dawn!” Came his voice from downstairs.

Dawn rushed down, showing that she was okay. Buffy quickly followed behind this time.

The familiar conversation began between the two.

“I mean it. I could rip your head off one-handed and drink from your brain stem.”

“Look,” Dawn said, pointing to Buffy instead of replying to his comment.

“Yeah? I’ve seen the bloody bot before. Didn’t think she’d patch up so-”

He realized that this wasn’t the bot. He saw his Buffy.

And even though the first time she was brought back, she cared nothing about him…she certainly had to restrain herself from flying into his arms now.

------
A/N: I have this posted on fanfiction.net as well...I'll post the other 9 chaps I have tonight.
Life After Death by Faith04
And With This Power

Chapter Two: Life After Death



Buffy tried as hard as she could to let her body move forward, but she was still in shock.

Here Spike was, thinking he was just getting her back; when in truth, it was the other way around.

“I’m…what did you do?” Spike asked Dawn.

Dawn was about to answer, but Buffy stepped down a single step. It was enough for both of them to shut up. “I’m fine…” Wow…voice is getting back to normal. “Or I will be,” she said looking at her hands. “I had to, um…”

“Dig outta your grave?” Spike asked softly.

She just nodded, though it really didn’t pain her to think about it anymore. She had long gotten over her death and resurrection.

Buffy looked down and quickly buttoned her shirt. She then put her hands behind her back so that they’d stop staring at them. “Guys…it was only six feet to crawl up,” she joked and immediately regretted it. She was over the death…but back in this time, they definitely were not.

They both looked horrified that she could even joke about this. “Buffy…”

“Sorry, Dawn.” She let her gaze fall to Spike. “Sorry.”

Wait…had the slayer just apologized to him? She did. This brought a smile, not a smirk, to his face. Buffy walked down the rest of the steps, still a little uneasy with her footing.

Without thinking, Spike brought his arm up and caught her.

“Dawn, get some stuff, uh, mercurochrome, bandages,” he commanded softly, and Dawn exited to get the needed supplies.

Buffy sat down on the couch, Spike sitting across from her at the coffee table. Their reunion must have taken a bit longer this time, because the other Scooby members came rushing though the door before she could ask how long she was gone.

They began to question her, shooting out things about pizza and various other things. Only this time, she didn’t interrupt with answers. Spike was about to stand up and walk out, but she silently grabbed his hand, not allowing him to get up.

No one saw the gesture but her and Spike. He looked confused, but didn’t object and stayed seated.

Buffy continued to watch the scene before her. Before she knew it, they were all looking at her, waiting for answers to their thousand questions.

Instead of answering, she started to laugh. The gang looked at her as if she’d lost her mind. She began to laugh even harder, but finally stopped herself. The first time, the attack of questions had been overwhelming. Now it was quite amusing.

“Sorry…” She said, wiping her eyes from the moisture from laughing so hard. “It’s just…I’m okay. Really.” They all exchange glances of worry and confusion.

“Actually, I’m just tired, and-”

Xander cut her off when he saw her hand in Spike’s. “Um…Buffy?” She looked down at their hands and let go.

Not because of what they would think. But the past Scoobies weren’t ready for the Spike and Buffy relationship. Hell, even the future Scoobies weren’t ready.

Spike sighed and stood up, walking past the gang and heading outside. The gang thought nothing of it. After all, it was just Spike.

What surprised them, was Buffy hurriedly getting up to follow him out. She stopped him before he could leave the porch.

He turned around with a look of blissful confusion on his face. Why was she being like this? She hated him with all of her being, didn’t she?

“Y-you don’t have to leave,” Buffy said shakily.

“Right. I’m sure your precious Scoobies would be fond of me staying.” He rolled his eyes, a habit picked up from Dawn.

“W-well…it’s still my house. And y-you, um…” She looked for an excuse to get him to stay. “Didn’t finish de-graving my hands,” she said with a small smile. Spike looked a little pained at hearing about how she’d clawed out of the Earth. “Sorry. No more dead jokes.”

“You weren’t here. You were gone…that’s not a joke,” he said a bit harshly. Buffy just looked down.

“I know…”

Spike sighed and shook the anger from his voice. “I don’t understand how you can be so…”

“Casual about it?” She finished for him.

“Yeah…I mean. It doesn’t even seem to bother you. And you were the one that was…”

“Dead?” Man, Buffy was being blunt.

“Yeah…”

“Well…I don’t know. I guess…it’s easier for me because I wasn’t down here experiencing the pain of losing me,” she offered with a shrug.

They both sat down on the lower step of her front porch, neither taking their eyes from the distance, afraid to look at each other.

Buffy did the unexpected again and took his hand.

That’s when he let it out. Letting his head fall to her shoulder, he cried just as much as he had the day he lost her.

By the time he was done crying, Buffy was holding him closer, a pained look on her face. That look never would’ve been there if she hadn’t gotten to see the future while in Heaven.

Spike looked up to her finally, apologizing with his actions and awkward glares. “I love you,” he says softly. And he knew her reply. A kick in the chest. Or a punch in the nose. But she would never reply with words of kindness or repeat his words.

Buffy didn’t know what to say. She loved him. That she knew now. But she couldn’t just say that. This time things would be right in every aspect of her life. She gently brushed some hair from his forehead and smiled. “I know,” she replied.

And that was enough for him. Because now she believed him.

His look of astonishment and bliss alone was enough to make her heart melt all over again. “Why don’t we both go inside?” She asked with some concern.

He stood up, regaining his pride and shaking off remaining tears. “Uh, no. I’ve got to, um…get back to the crypt.” He turned to walk away, and Buffy didn’t stop him. She knew how hard this had been for him. He turned slightly and looked at her hands. “You get Willow to de-grave those for you,” he said with a smile and a nod.

Buffy started walking into the house, a slight smile on her face. The whole Scooby gang was deadly quiet and all stood when she walked back in.

“Buffy,” Most of them said in unison.

“W-we were gonna get you…but, um…you were b-busy…” Tara said uneasily.

“Yeah…comforting Spike,” Xander added with a bit of concern in his voice. “Buffy what was that? I mean…it’s Spike.”

“I know who it is, guys…it’s Spike. But in case you forgot, he’s been fighting, protecting, and trying to help since I’ve been gone.”

They all looked really confused.

“How would you know?” Anya asked the question everyone else was wondering. “You were dead.”

“Anya…” Xander warned.

“What? She’s not dead anymore. This should be happy news. Just like how Xander and I plan to-” Xander shoved her a little to keep her from announcing the engagement.

‘Mental note,’ Buffy thought. ‘Make sure to kill old man at Xander’s wedding so he marries Anya.’

“Are you okay, Buffy?” Willow asked.

“Yeah. I’m fine. Just really tired.”

Buffy went to walk away and Willow stopped her. “Buffy. Be glad. We got you out.”

Buffy gave the same weak smile as before. Even though she was over the Heaven thing…her friends still had to know.

Suddenly Buffy remembered something. The demon that was made by Willow’s spell. Well, it wasn’t doing any damage tonight. Just show-y stuff. She could casually mention to Willow tomorrow to stop the ghost thing by making it corporeal.

Buffy walked up the stairs and Willow turned to her friends. “Well, she, she’s fine! Normal! She used to go to bed all the time!”
Expectations by Faith04
And With This Power

Chapter Three: Expectations



It was only a few days after the resurrection. The ghost-type thing that was created by Willow’s spell was defeated and everyone was trying to get Buffy’s life back on track. Thing is, she already had it on track.

They were delighted that she was recovering so quickly, but they had no idea why.

Why was this so easy for her?

It was night, and they were all in the kitchen- minus Spike.

“Anyway, I was thinking that maybe we could take over patrol until you’re ready,” Willow suggested.

“No. I should probably do it,” Buffy replied.

“But Buffy…you need some time getting on your feet…” Dawn said softly.

“You mean after lying flat on my back?” Buffy kept a straight face, though she wanted to laugh. That was one of her better death jokes from before, and she wasn’t going through this reality without using it. But, then she saw the horrified expressions of her friends. “I can do it guys. I don’t want to rest any more. It’s what I’ve been doing for the past few months.” Oops…did it again.

They were cut off by Spike walking through the door. He saw that everyone was looking at him kind of funny. He figured it was because of the kindness Buffy had been showing him lately.

He gave Buffy a short smile before sitting on the counter top.

Buffy just looked around the room. She hadn’t really had time to look around at the people she loved so much. For the first time, she found her eyes locked with Tara.

Tara blushed and looked away as Buffy smiled. No matter what, she would not let her die again.

Then her gaze fell to Anya. She too would live now.

Finally her stare fell on Spike, and everyone noticed but didn’t say anything.

He was here…granted, without his soul.

Crap…without his soul. When he didn’t have it he was pig-headed and such a jerk.

Sure, he still loved her. But he was stubborn and acted like some jerk you’d meet at a bar.

Doesn’t mean she couldn’t try to make him the way he was. After all, here he was, practically creating his own soul.

He had it in him to be good, and she knew it. Even without the soul he could be a good man.

No matter how soulless he was.

“Buffy?” Xander said, finally breaking her stare from Spike.

Buffy tore her mind from thoughts of Spike and thought of Tara. “Willow, there are three guys I need you to find for me.”

“Okay…sure, Buffy. Can I ask why?” Willow asked sweetly.

“No. I mean…it’s just…find them for me okay?” Willow nodded. “Warren, Jonathon, and Andrew. Jonathon is the one from high school. I need you to get me their addresses. But…um, Warren is kind of more important to find.”

After all, he’d been the mastermind behind it. Maybe if Buffy got to him before he teamed up with Andrew and Jonathon, they wouldn’t have to deal with the trio at all.

After a while of talking, the others slowly went to bed, leaving Spike and Buffy alone.

“When’s your watcher coming in?” Spike asked, breaking the silence.

“Oh, um…Willow called him. He’s should be here soon.” Buffy remembered Giles’ reaction when she came back, and she wasn’t looking forward to it.

Another awkward silence followed.

“Spike,” Buffy started finally. She was making things right this time. “I want to thank you. For helping with Dawn…and keeping the demon population down while I was…well down.”

He nodded and gave her a small smile as his head tilted to the side. She was being so nice to him, for reasons he didn’t know. But he didn’t care. She was finally caring about him.

“What?” She finally asked. She soon wished she hadn’t. Spike’s eyes traveled up her body, and she rolled her eyes.

“You know what,” he said, getting up and stepping closer to her.

She let out a sigh and rolled her eyes again. “Ass,” she muttered.

“What did you just call me,” he said, meaning to sound terrifying, but Buffy wasn’t buying it.

“You heard me.” Great, old times playing themselves out.

Spike looked irritated as he stepped back, placing his hands on his waist. “What is your bloody problem?”

“My problem?!” She stood up, eyeing him with impatience.

“Yes,” he replied, loving how he was annoying her so much.

“You! You. Are. My. Freakin’ problem!” She practically yelled. “I was so stupid…” she said remembering her earlier thoughts. “You couldn’t be like that again…”

If not for vampire hearing, he wouldn’t have heard the last part. “Be like what again?” He asked with some rage in his voice.

She realized she probably shouldn’t have added that comment.

“What the bloody hell do you want from me, Buffy!?” She looked a bit bewildered. “Since you’ve been back, you’ve been treating me like someone I’m not! Not that I’ll complain,” he added. “But you’re expecting things from me, and-”

“Damn right I expect things from you!” She yelled back. “You say you love me so much? Prove it, Spike! Prove me wrong from all those times I said you couldn’t love. Prove. Me. Wrong!” Spike looked confused. Was she asking him to love her. No…couldn’t be. Suddenly her look and tone of voice softened. “Sorry…it’s been a long night. I think you should just…go,” she said and looked down.

Spike sighed and muttered curses under his breath as he walked out the door.

Later as Buffy was thinking, she let her mind wander to the trio. Why hadn’t they made their appearance yet? It should’ve happened already. Maybe it was a later meeting than what she thought.

Yep. She was just a few days ahead of herself. Willow would get Warren’s address and she’d find them all.

She couldn’t help but find it her responsibility to lead Andrew to his redemption again. He’d been happy there in the end. And hey, now she could do the same thing for Jonathon.

Warren however…she didn’t know if she could bring herself to forgive him. He’d killed Tara…or had in the reality she first lived in. No. Warren had to be stopped. Before he killed Katrina. Before he tried to kill Buffy.

Buffy sighed and then thought of Spike. If it was the time when she was fighting the First, she would’ve gone to him already to ask him to hold her. But it was too soon for that.

First, redeem the vampire. Then…go from there.

The thing was, she had no where to go from there.

But this time, things would be right.


TBC…
Righting Future Wrongs by Faith04
And With This Power

Chapter Four: Righting Future Wrongs



“Slayer…I mean, um…Buffy?” Warren covered up when he saw Buffy on his front porch. Andrew and Jonathon came to the door also, and stood wide-eyed.

“Andrew, Jonathon. Get in my car,” she says, still looking at Warren. When they don’t move, she adds, “Now!”

Jonathon and Andrew slowly make their way to her car, not knowing what’s going on. Buffy punches Warren, which sends him back in the house and on the floor. She walks over to him, kneeling beside him. “Now, Warren,” she said slowly. “You think you’re gonna play games with me? Get inside my head?” She shakes her head slowly. “I don’t think so. You’re gonna stay away from me and mine…and never go near Jonathon or Andrew again.”

Warren shakes a little, and realizes that playing the innocent card is lame. “They’re in this as much as I am!” He yells in his defense.

“No. They aren’t.” She stands up, making sure he stays down. “Being a slayer gives a girl abilities. I had these visions of you and your trio gang. I know what you plan to do these next few months, and I’m stopping you,” she partially lied. She hadn’t had visions, but she did get to see while she was in Heaven. She continued with, “I will always be watching every move you make from now on. No matter where you go, who you’re with, or what you do. I will be watching. And if you screw up. One. Freakin’ time…you’re gonna see a slayer’s strength first hand.”

Without even waiting for a reply, she walks out of his house, slamming the door. When she gets to the car, Jonathon and Andrew are in the backseat looking terrified. She says nothing, but starts the car and goes home.

[Later that night, Buffy’s kitchen]

“So, you just had a vision about these guys…and you stopped them before they could do anything?” Dawn asked with a raised eyebrow. Xander, Willow, Anya, and Tara looked to her for an answer.

“Yeah,” Buffy answers softly.

“And now you have two of them chained in our basement, and Warren is long gone?” Willow asked.

“Yep.”

“Well…why are they down there, but you made Warren leave?” Tara asked softly.

She couldn’t tell them all the bad things that Warren had planned to do. They’d figure out that she’d seen the future, and she didn’t want them to know that. It was okay if they just thought she had a vision, though.

“The other two…weren’t as bad. Warren…he murdered people…” Buffy finally answers.

Dawn’s eyes widen and the rest of them are wondering the thing she asks out loud. “Does he kill one of our gang?”

Buffy thought. Why should she pain them with the truth when she was changing fate anyway. “No, of course not,” she answers with a sincere look. “Just one of his exes…he tried to hurt me…but failed.”

“Buffy?” Buffy spun around in her seat at the voice.

“Giles?” Without saying another word, she runs forward, taking him in a lung-crushing hug. “Sorry…forget my own strength,” she said pulling away.

“Quite alright,” he said, still disbelieving that she was standing here, even after he’d seen her mangled body.

[Later, Buffy is outside on the back porch, Willow and Giles are having the familiar argument.]

“You’re a very stupid girl,” Giles says, and the statement shocks Willow.

“What? Giles…”

“Do you have any idea what you’ve done? The forces you’ve harnessed, the lines you’ve crossed?!”

Outside, Buffy feels tears in her eyes. She can’t help it. She hated this conversation the first time she overheard it too. Somehow she was going to have to stop Willow’s overuse of magic.

“Hey, Spike,” she says, greeting him the same way.

“You hear all that noise?” Buffy nods, but just smiles. She’s not going to waste her time moping this time around.

“They don’t mean anything by it,” she says with a shrug. She realizes that she hasn’t told Spike about Heaven yet, or the others. The first time this happened, she’d already told him. After a long pause, he grins.

“Wanna ditch ‘em for a while? Get out, go somewhere?” He suggests.

A small smile creeps on her lips and she descends the steps to him. “Sounds like fun.”

[In the basement]

“I’m hungry,” whines Jonathon.

“Shut up, Hairball,” Andrew mutters with an annoyed frown. “You know. This is like the time Superman tried to defeat-”

“Shut up…” He barely mutters. “The slayer caught us before we could do anything. Now we’re gonna die.”

[The cemetery, Spike and Buffy]

As they were walking, Buffy finally turns to Spike. “This is your idea of getting out? You need a life,” she jokes playfully.

“I don’t know. Always enjoy watching you…fight,” she said with the raise of an eyebrow. Buffy should’ve replied with a punch or slight kick, but she had stopped a few feet back, staring a headstone. “What is it, luv?”

He backs up, and sees that she’s staring at her own headstone. The dirt is still disturbed from her crawling out of it. Tilting her head to the side, she just stares.

“Buffy…”

“False advertising,” she says suddenly and turns to him.

“What?” He asks as if she’s insane.

“People always use the phrase ‘six feet under’…but, ya know…I crawled outta that thing, and I could almost bet it was at least eight feet.” She pauses. “So, isn’t that like false advertising? I mean, couldn’t I sue?”

Spike smiles at her ability to joke when seeing her own grave. But the smile is bittersweet. He doesn’t want to hear about her crawling from her own coffin.

Before he can reply, Buffy takes her foot and smashes the tombstone so it’s nothing but a crumble of rocks. Smiling, she turns to him, and then walks away.

“Buffy…”

She turns to him and smiles a little. “Yeah?”

“About what you said the other night…” He pauses and sighs. “I think you forget that I don’t have a soul Buffy. I’m not your sweet Peaches. I’m a soulless thing; remember? I love you; you know that. And there’s things I do that I’m not proud of…but it’s the bloody demon, Buffy…this chip in my head is the closest thing to a soul I’m ever gonna have…you’re expecting things from me that I can never give,” he said softly.

When he looks up, she’s near tears and doesn’t say anything for a long while. If she said what she was thinking, he’d be blown away, considering she’d hated him when she died. But she didn’t care. He needed to hear this.

“Spike…that’s the attitude I’m talking about. You underestimate yourself and how good you can be.” His eyes widen and become glossy. “You’re not a soulless thing, Spike…you are so much more than that, I don’t know why you can’t see it. I know you can be a good man, Spike.” She just called him a man? Spike now had one tear on his cheek. “I believe in you.”

She gave him one last smile before walking back toward her house, leaving him in the cemetery.
Old Habits Die Hard by Faith04
And With This Power

Chapter Five: Old Habits Die Hard


Buffy walked in to the Magic Box, Dawn following closely behind. “Aw, come on, Buffy…it’s not like I need to do the homework…” Dawn pouted.

“Yes, you do.” Buffy looked up to see all of her friends sitting at the table with books surrounding them. “Oh, are we researching?”

“Yep,” Xander said, expressing the ‘p’.

“What’s the new demon?” Dawn asked. Buffy sent her a deadly glare, and Dawn turned away. “Right…homework.”

Buffy knew that she couldn’t avoid evil all together this year. She’d love to, but it didn’t work that way. Because she took away most of the bad happenings by stopping the Trio, new evil would levitate to Sunnydale. That’s how forces balanced out good and evil.

Sighing she stood a few feet from the table. “There’s something I have to talk to you guys about-” she started, but was cut off by Spike running through the doors with a blanket over his head. As the smoking of his flesh stopped, he walked over, giving Buffy a small smile.

Good, now he could be there too.

“What were you saying?” Giles asked, hating the interruption.

“It’s about…you guys bringing me back.”

Willow and Xander shared a small smile, but Buffy cut them off before they could speak. “I wasn’t in hell.” There, that was blunt enough. “It was Heaven. I was happy there. But I don’t blame you guys- and I’m not angry. You thought you were saving me.” She thought to herself for a second. “And I think you may have.”

None of them knew what that last line meant, but they were still in shock about the news of where she was. Spike looked more outraged, but still concerned. She started walking out the door and turned to them with a smile. Half of them were in tears, but she kept her small grin. “Just do me a favor, and don’t do it again,” she said jokingly, trying to keep the mood light, and walked out the door.

Spike took this opportunity to follow her out in to the shadows. “Buffy?”

She turned to face him, and walked back so she wasn’t in the sun. “Hey.”

“You okay, pet?”

She sighed but gave a small nod. “Yeah. I am.”

She walked over, sitting on a few empty crates with him. “Buffy, what’s going on?”

“What do you mean?” She narrows her eyebrows a little.

“You’re different. You seem…happier. An’ not just that.” He sighs and decides that since she’s here, he may as well continue. “What happened to you in Heaven?”

She seems a little startled; he can read her that easily?

“W-what do ya mean?”

“I mean…so far you’ve been able to stop every bad evil that comes along without question. Not only that, but you treat me as if…”

“You’re a man?” She finishes.

“Yeah,” he says looking down.

“Isn’t that what you said I made you feel like? A man, not a monster?”

“Well…yah. But now you act like I don’t even have a demon in me,” he says standing up. Not that he’s complaining, he just didn’t understand why she changed her attitude all of a sudden.

“You don’t,” she says without hesitation.

“Hello, I’m a vam-”

“Spike,” she says to calm him down. “The demon in you…you have control of it. I can see it.”

“Buffy…”

“Spike, we can have this conversation a thousand times. You’ve changed. I can see it. End. Of. Story.” Silently, she gets up and begins to walk away.

“Buffy,” he calls to her.

Without turning around, she stops. “Yeah?”

“Do you love me?” He asks, as a smirk threatens to play across his lips.

This makes her turn fully to face him. How does she answer that? She does love him. But the thing is, starting to love him only began the night she found out he had a soul.

But she also had to remind herself that Spike really stayed the same, with or without the soul. So, yes. She loved him.

This couldn’t be the answer she gave him, though. It was too soon. She kept a straight face as she turned and walked away without answering.

[Later, Willow and Tara’s room]

“Sweetie, I’m just saying that maybe you shouldn’t use as much magic…” Tara explained softly. Willow sat down on the bed with a confused look on her face.

“But…” She didn’t really have an argument for this.

“Baby, I’m not saying that you need to quit using it. I just think you’re using it a little too much. You’re powerful; I understand that. But you n-need to try and do things the normal way before using magic,” Tara suggested.

Willow just remained quiet, as Buffy stood in the hallway listening. Slowly she made her way downstairs and into the basement.

“Slayer,” Andrew called out when he saw her. “How dare you enter thy lair without permission!”

Buffy just rolled her eyes and moved a chair so she was sitting in front of them.

“I’m hungry,” Jonathon whined again.

“We just fed you,” Buffy answered with raised eyebrows, and then went to say what she had to. “You two were about to get mixed up with the wrong guy.”

“Warren would never do anything to hurt us!” Andrew exclaimed, and then quickly quieted.

“He would,” Buffy persisted softly. “Thing is…we could use your help.”

Jonathon and Andrew exchange glances and then smile a little.

“You mean like we get to join your gang?” Andrew asked hopefully.

“Can you prove yourself worthy?” She doesn’t even wait for a reply before turning to Jonathon. “I need your help.”

“Really? I mean- uh- with what?” Jonathon inquires.

“You’re in to magic, spells, and whatnot. So is Willow. Thing is, you have something she doesn’t. Control. I need you to…coach her, I guess you could say.”

“And what will my partner in crime receive for doing such a task?” Andrew asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I guess you’ll both have to find out. Jonathon, can you help her?”

“Well, I could try…I’ve never done any kind of magic control training before…”

“Good. Never better time to start.”

“Buffy?” She turns around to face Jonathon. “Does this mean you’re not gonna kill us?”

“I didn’t take you from Warren to kill you.” She sighs and begins walking up the steps. As she slowly disappears, she adds, “I’m giving you another chance.”

[Kitchen]

“Xander, why can’t we just tell them?” Anya whispers loudly.

“Ahn, we’ve been over this. I don’t think now’s the right time,” Xander explained.

“When will it be the right time, Xander?”

Buffy appears through the doorway, pretending to not know what they were talking about. “Hey, Buff,” Xander says a little shakily.

“Hey Xander, Anya.”

“Hello, Buffy,” Anya greets. “Wouldn’t it be nice to get some non-death related topics to discuss?”

“Ahn…” Xander warns.

Buffy shrugs. “Actually, she’s kind of right, Xand. All people talk about lately is me dying or me coming back.”

“Right. That’s why I think now would be the perfect time to announce our-” Xander claps a hand over her mouth, and Buffy shrugs again.

“Engagement?” She finishes for Anya, and the couple looked at her strangely. “Oh, come on guys. It’s wicked obvious, and I just think it’s about time.” They continue to stare before Xander gives a final nervous laugh.

“Well, as much as I love to talk about happy things,” Buffy said looking down. “How am I doing on the money situation now?”

“Not good at all,” Anya answers.

“Ahn…”

“Xander, she asked. I’m not going to lie. Buffy, I suggest you get a job. The good-paying kind.”

“Like the Doublemeat Palace?” Buffy asks with a large groan.

“I was going to suggest the Magic Box,” Anya says cheerfully. Buffy’s eyes widen. The only thing worse than the DP was the Magic Box.

“No…I think I’ll check out the fast food industry for now,” Buffy said. Seeing Anya’s hurt look, she added, “I tend to lose money a lot.”

“Oh. Well, in that case, you won’t be working for me.”

“Ahn…”

[Later, living room]

“How are you doing, Buffy?” Giles asked softly.

“Good. In fact, I’m better than good. I’m great,” Buffy answered.

“Well, I must say that you’ve done incredibly well since you’ve been back.”

“Yep. You know me. Can’t keep dwelling on the past,” she said with a forced smile. Having to live the loss of Heaven all over again was still kind of painful.

“Good, Buffy.” Buffy just eyes him for a second and wanders if he still plans to leave. No, because she can be stronger this time. She can make him stay.

Or like always, she could try.
Losing My Mind by Faith04
And With This Power

Chapter Six: Losing My Mind


Buffy burst in to the doors of the Magic Box an hour or so after sunset. The gang was there, just being lazy as they ate and drank their coffee. “I have a job!” She practically yelled. Usually, she wouldn’t be so overjoyed. But this job was special, because it wasn’t the Doublemeat Palace.

“And you’re happy?” Xander asked with raised eyebrows. Willow playfully rolled her eyes.

“So, what do ya do?” Dawn asked, walking from behind one of the shelves.

“Nothing big. I waitress at a café downtown,” Buffy replied, regaining her cool. “So, what are we doin’?”

“Nothing. The hellmouth seems to be a little inactive lately,” Giles answered, standing up from his chair.

“Right it is,” Spike said, stepping in from the training room, showing he’d come in the back door. “Been patrolling ‘bout four time this week. Haven’t killed a thing.”

“Should we be worried? In research mode?” Willow asked.

“No,” Buffy answered quickly. “I just mean…you all have personal lives that you’re dealing with. Let me handle the slayage.”

“Speaking of slayage,” Spike started. “Want to come patrol, luv? I was just on my way out there.”

“But I thought you just said that there wasn-” She cut herself off when she realized he had other thing to discuss during patrol then just demons. “Right. I’m coming.”

[Later, cemetery]

“So, what’s all this about?” Buffy asked, sitting on a tombstone. Spike mirrored her actions and sat on one across from her.

“What are you keeping from me?”

“What?”

“Buffy, you know what I bloody well mean!”

Oh, crap. Did he somehow find out about her knowing the future? No, impossible.

“Spike. You’re stupid,” Buffy replied defiantly and crossed her arms over her chest.

“Buffy! Bloody hell!” He got up from the tombstone and began to pace around a little.

“You’re making me dizzy,” Buffy said a little sourly. This wasn’t what she was hoping to come out here and talk about.

Spike sighed, letting his anger subside before turning to her and placing both hands on either of her shoulders.

“Luv, you.” He paused suddenly. “You’re keeping something from all of us.”

“Us?” She asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Me and your stupid Scoobies,” he replied a little harshly and then calmed again. “You’ve stopped every nasty that’s found it’s way to Sunnyhell so far. But that’s only clue number one.” Pausing, he looked down. “What happened in Heaven?”

Tears were already apparent in her eyes, but she wouldn’t let them fall. It’d be so nice just to tell, but she shouldn’t. Oh, what the hell.

“I got to see…” She said shakily.

“See what?” He asked, a little concerned.

“What was going to happen…the future, bad things that came, life…I got to see it all. And then I saw you.” Her eyes became even glassier and she bit her lower lip.

Spike didn’t actually find it that surprising that she had seen the future. Actually, it kind of explained everything. But what did she mean by ‘and then I saw you’?

“Buffy, luv, you see me everyday,” he replied with a small smile and she groaned a little.

“No…I saw you. I got to see what you were like. What you became. The man you always were but I refused to see.”

“You aren’t making too much sense, Pet.”

“Spike! I saw you about a year from now. You had your…” She paused before calming a little. “Your soul.”

[Same time, Willow’s room]

“Willow?” Jonathon asked from the doorway.

“Jonathon? Doesn’t Buffy have you in a captive state downstairs?” She asked with a raised eyebrow.

“She, uh, let me up for a while.” He slowly walked in, not sure what he was supposed to be doing.

Willow suddenly muttered something and the blinds closed with the help of her magic. Now Jonathon knew what Buffy had meant. “Um, Willow. How often do you do that?”

“What?”

“Use a spell to do the easy stuff?”

Willow thought about it, and suddenly became defensive. “Hey! I just figure why not use the magic if I have it?”

“Well, yeah. But only when you need it,” Jonathon said, pushing his argument further.

“Listen. I’m not using too much magic…What?! I’m not. I just- I…” She didn’t have an argument. With her trademark Willow-pout, she sat down on her bed and gave him a look, which pretty much said ‘get out’.

Taking the hint, he exited the room, shutting the door behind him. Andrew had been leaning against the wall, arms crossed and a smug smile on his face. “Ah, so the dark prince returns from Lesson one of ‘la control’?” He asked in his ‘I’m wise, you know nothing’ voice. “Thus can only mean that-”

“Shut it,” Jonathon commanded.

“Make me Furball!” Andrew practically yelled.

“Butt scratcher!”

“Nose picker!”

Jonathon gasped a little. “I do not!”

“Do so!”

Jonathon and Andrew just exchanged deadly glances, before Andrew called a silent truce. “So…” He started. “Wanna summon a demon to mess with Buffy?”

“Sure, why not?” Jonathon replied with a shrug and they started to walk downstairs. Buffy knew they wouldn’t be able to resist doing some damage, and knew it was inevitable that something like this would happen.

[Cemetery]

“So…” Spike’s eyes were wide and looked paler than usual. “I tried to…r-rape you…” He blinked back the water in his eyes and forced himself to continue. Buffy had just finished explaining to him what the future held. “Then I got my soul?”

“Yeah…”

“I…I…”

“You nothing,” Buffy said, sweeter than what he’d expected. “It was me. I’m the one who treated you like I did, and then-” She cut herself off and sighed. “And why are we even going over this. It was something that could have happened. I changed it.”

Spike still didn’t move. Even if it had never happened, Buffy had to experience it.

They were both torn from their thoughts as a large demon made it’s way towards them.

“Oh…hell no…” Buffy muttered to herself. She knew this demon. It was the one that made her think she was in the mental institution.

“What?”

“Stay back,” Buffy commanded Spike and went toward the demon.

She tried so hard this time to keep those sharp claws away from her. But one impaled her in the stomach, sending her to her knees.

“Buffy!” She heard Spike scream. But his voice faded as her world changed. When she opened her eyes, she was sitting in the dirt. But it was daytime.

Xander, Willow, Dawn, Giles, and…the newly-risen slayers? They were all standing next to her.

“Whoa, Buff. Gave us quite a scare. You okay?”

Buffy took in her surroundings. She knew where she was. She saw the ditch of Sunnydale. It was the battle after the First.

This demon wasn’t making her see herself in a mental institution…It was making her think that the whole ‘going back in time’ thing was just in her head.

What if her grief over losing Spike and Anya was too much and had made her break down after the battle with the First. What if the grief had been so great that she’d never actually gone back at all. It was all her mind’s way of dealing…and she was losing it again? What if that was what was happening?

Buffy closed her eyes and let herself open them to see she was in the cemetery again.

“Bloody hell, Buffy!” She heard him yell as he tried to hold her up.

“Spike?” She barely whispered.

“Are you okay?” He asked once she was steadied.

[Basement of Buffy’s house]

“So…do you think that was wrong?” Jonathon asked. “I mean, Buffy has helped us in this path to getting better and whatnot.”

They both grinned and agreed that Buffy may pummel them later for summoning a demon, but at least it was fun.

[Cemetery, after Buffy has explained to Spike what that poison just did to her]

“Buffy…” Spike said, trying to soothe her.

“Don’t. Just don’t.” She paused and looked down. “Spike…what if this whole ‘I had visions while in Heaven’ thing was just my mind’s way of trying to make the things in my past better?” She asked with tears. “What if this is fake…and my real life doesn’t have you in it anymore?”
A Roman Hick by Faith04
And With This Power

Chapter Seven: A Roman Hick


Buffy stood with her arms crossed and an angry expression on her face as she stood in the basement with Andrew in Jonathon.

“So,” Buffy started, venom already in her voice. “You decided to go upstairs and talk to Willow about her control…and then you come down to my basement and summon a demon?” She was talking calmly, but you could feel the anger in her tone.

Jonathon and Andrew just nodded. This infuriated Buffy and she finally lost her own control.

“Learn your own damn control, guys!” She yelled. “What the hell were you thinking!? This is my life you’re messing with!”

“Well, we just-”

“Shut up, Andrew!” Buffy screamed. “You have no idea what you’ve done, or how much you’ve messed things up,” she said in that same low yet seething tone.

Both Andrew and Jonathon exchanged confused glances. “You’re the slayer though. Didn’t you just slay?” Jonathon asked.

Buffy sighed. “I tried. His claws had a better plan and now I have to figure out which dimension is real…”

Andrew looked even more confused. “You’re talking about a Glargabullgashmanick. I didn’t summon that.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes and stepped forward. “Then what did you summon?”

“A Roshendnick,” Andrew answered.

“A Roman hick?” Buffy asked, thinking that’s what she heard.

“No, a Roshendnick,” Jonathon corrected. “We just wanted to see you fight.”

“Well…what does a…this demon do?” She asked slowly.

“Nothing special. Its only strength is the spikes that grow from his claws…” He trailed off, seeing Buffy’s widened eyes. “But we knew you could beat it!”

“Well, so far I haven’t seen this…Roman Hick…and we have no idea how many people it’s hurt.”

“But-”

“Shut up, Andrew. You’ve put people in danger, when I gave you another chance. What is your problem?”

The two just looked down in shame and Buffy turned, walking up the steps.

“Wait, aren’t you going to beat us up?” Jonathon asked.

“Or chain us?” Andrew chipped in.

Buffy continued to walk. “No. But this is definitely your warning.”

[Later, cemetery. Buffy has a sword and is waiting for the demon]

“We just wanted to see you fight,” Buffy says, mimicking Andrew and Jonathon’s voices. God, she was upset with them now. How could they do this to her? She had given them a chance to help…oh, who was she kidding? It was going to take more than an invite to be a Scooby to get these guys straightened out.

“So, are you talking to yourself, or are you lost in that fake world of yours?” Spike asked as he came out from the shadows.

“Talking to myself,” Buffy said without thinking and sighed. “I was…oh, shut up.” She gave him a teasing smile and then scanned the graveyard.

“Sword, is it? Last time I checked you used a pointy, wooden stake.”

“The geeks in my basement summoned a demon. Said he has spikes on his hands. So I plan to stay as far from the guy as possible.” Spike shook his head with a small grin.

Seeing that the demon in question is nowhere in sight, Buffy sits down on a headstone, and Spike does the same.

“So…been seeing that alternate reality lately?” He asked casually.

“When I woke up this morning…yeah…” She looked down, hiding all the pain in her eyes.

“Well, I don’t feel like someone who’s just a made-up in your brain,” Spike replied, making the mood a little lighter. Sure enough, a smile tugged on the edges of her lips.

Buffy then dropped her sword as she brought her head to her hands. “Buffy?” She groaned in pain and fell to her knees. “Buffy!”

“Buffy?” Giles asked, holding the wet cloth to her forehead. She looked up and him and realized she was back in the other reality.

“You’ve been doing this a lot, Buffy…any idea what’s going on?” Willow asked. Buffy didn’t answer but looked around. She was in a large room surrounded by all the newly risen slayers and her friends. “Buffy?”

“No. I’m just tired, Will,” Buffy lied.

“Then what’s with all the sleep talking?” Dawn asked, a little pain in her eyes. “Buffy… we know what’s going on. You space out and then talk like you did when that demon made you think you were in the nut house. Willow says that the antidote must’ve wore off or something and now you’re going in some alternate reality again,” she explained bluntly.

“No, guys…” Buffy started, but Willow cut her off.

“Buffy, I can just make another antidote. We just have to find another one of those demons and-”

“He’s there,” Buffy said, a little angry now.

“We know…Spike is in this new reality of yours,” Xander said, annoyance in his voice.

“So is Anya,” Buffy said softly. “And Tara. And I can keep them alive this time, I just-”

“Buffy, stop,” Giles said a little harshly. “Don’t you see what you’re doing? You’ve made up this scenario in your mind so that you can save the people you’ve lost. It isn’t real, Buffy. You can’t change what’s happened.”

Buffy sat up straight in the bed she was on, piercing anger in her eyes. “That’s not true. If I wanted to save the people I loved, I would’ve gone back to before my mom died, and you know it!”

“How could you have saved her?” Xander questioned. “You knew it was her time--- that’s why you didn’t go back that far.”

“Buffy, we’ll get the cure and bring you back,” Willow announced slowly and gave a weak smile.

Buffy felt her headache coming on, and knew she was going back.

“Bloody hell!” She heard Spike yell as she opened her eyes in the cemetery again. Sitting up, her eyes focused on him as he slid her sword into a demon. When the demon fell, she saw that it had the spikes in its hands and knew it was the Roshendnick. When she tried to sit up straighter, she felt a pain in her stomach.

“Buffy, don’t try to move,” Spike commanded softly as he got by her side. That’s when she looked down and saw several bleeding gashes in her lower abdomen.

“What happened?”

“You went out. That’s when that guy decided to attack, and went after you,” Spike explained. “He’s gone now, though.”

Buffy nodded, glad that it was over. Her abdomen hurt, but she knew it would heal fast enough. Slowly, she let her head fall forward until it was resting on his shoulder.

“Wanna go home, pet?” He asked softly, running his fingers up and down on her back.

“No. Don’t move me yet,” she said, closing her eyes.

“Buffy?” Spike called softly to her, after a few minutes, hoping she hadn’t gone to sleep.

“Hmmm?”

“I love you,” he told her with apparent pain in his voice that she might not be able to say it back.

She wasn’t asleep. She felt kind of spaced, but she knew exactly what he said.

Was the Spike in this dimension ready for it?

“I know,” she said groggily, as if she’s mostly asleep. “Oh, and Spike?”

With disappointment apparent in his eyes, he continued to stroke her back softly. “Yes, pet?”

“I love you, too.”
No Matter How I try by Faith04
And With This Power

Chapter Eight: No Matter How I Try


Buffy’s eyes fluttered open and slowly adjusted to the dimly lit room. She was in her own bed, safely tucked in. But the blinds were closed and the curtains pulled shut tight so that no direct sunlight filled the room. She could tell that it must have been early morning though.

The last thing she remembered was admitting her love for Spike…and then black. She’d passed out.

Spike had carried her home, receiving hell from Xander.

Xander kept throwing accusations that Spike must’ve done something to her.

Surprisingly, Spike just glared hatefully, but didn’t reply to the allegations. He was still stunned by what Buffy had told him. ‘I love you, too.’

He figured it was the dizziness talking. But he’d be damned if he was going to mess up his chances by getting in even worse with her friends. So, he ignored the threats from Xander’s mouth and carried Buffy up to her room, closed the blinds, and silently left.

Buffy continued to stare out the window, wondering if Spike had believed her last night.

She’d kick his ass if he didn’t.

She was torn from her thoughts as a very meek Jonathon and Andrew came through the door, looking at the ground.

“Buffy, we, um---” Jonathon started, but looked away.

“We’re sorry for summoning that demon, cos now you’re hurt,” Andrew finished, looking a little sad.

Buffy had been tensed, but she forced herself to relax. Still, she didn’t speak.

Jonathon brought a mug from behind his back. “So we want to make it up to you.” He gave the mug to Buffy, and she cringed at the contents. It looked like old blood.

“You guys---this is---sweet, but I’m not a vampire,” she pointed out.

“No, it’s not blood,” Andrew corrected her. “Spike went out last night and killed that demon. The one that is making you have those visions of being in another realm---which is kind of like an episode of---”

“So this is the antidote?” Buffy interrupted, clearly annoyed about his short attention span.

“Yep, straight from his claw,” Jonathon informed her.

Buffy rolled her eyes good-naturedly and gave a small nod. “Thanks you guys,” she said softly.

“So---does this mean you still love us?” Andrew asked hopefully.

“Not even close,” Buffy said with a smile still on her lips. Both boys shared her smile and began to walk out of the room. “Guys?” She called and they both turned around. “I’ll love anyone who gets me some hot chocolate.” This said, both of the young men raced down the steps. Sighing, Buffy rested her head back on her pillow and drank the antidote.

“Ugh,” Buffy complained as soon as it was all down. “I swear if I ever have to drink that again---I’ll settle with killing my friends,” she joked with herself.

“So, we still have that problem of talking to ourselves, now do we?” Spike asked, standing from the doorway.

“How long have you been there?” She asked, running her fingers through her hair, cursing herself for having tangled, morning hair.

Sensing her distress, Spike chuckled a little before sitting in the chair next to her bed. “You look fine, pet,” he assured her. “And I was standing outside your door when those two dorks were in here,” he told her.

“Oh, why didn’t you come in?” She asked, a little puzzled. That was at least ten minutes ago.

“Saw you in here drinking up the cure,” he said quietly then sighed. “And I was deciding whether or not I should beat the two downstairs so I could get you that hot chocolate,” he said with a small smirk. She rolled her eyes and sipped some of the water that was on her nightstand.

“You don’t have to get me cocoa,” she assured him. “I love you anyway.”

She said it so simply, as if she did it everyday. Spike’s expression was frozen in astonishment that she’d actually say it again. Realization hit him and he shook his head.

“Look, Slayer, Buffy. I know you’re not yourself just yet. Still a bit out of it due to the mauling you received last night. What you said last night? I understand that it was just--- a glitch.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and gave him a deadly glare. “I’m gonna kick your ass,” she told him flatly.

“Excuse me?”

“I told myself that if you denied it, I was going to kick your-”

“Okay, I get your point.” Slowly, it sunk in. Everything she had said was settling. “So you really? I mean. Not that I. But, it’s just. You?”

“Me,” she affirmed and smiled. “Me loves you.”

Slowly, a smile appeared on his face as he gradually removed himself from the chair to sit on the bedside.

“Buffy…” Before he could finish, he felt Buffy’s fist make contact with his cheek. “Bloody hell! Slayer, what was that!?” He asked, standing up.

With a smug smile she shrugged. “Me kicking your ass,” she replied wryly. Slowly, his hand stopped holding his hurt cheek and lowered to his side. Taking his place back on the bed, he narrowed his eyes, making her smile even more.

“Yes, well next time you intend to kick my-” She shut him up with three little words.

“I love you,” she said gently. She knew it would keep him quiet, because she knew how much it affected him. Looking satisfied she sighed. “Look at that. I have found a way to make Spike speechless. Hey, now whenever I need you to shut up I can just-” She was interrupted by Spike pressing his lips against hers.

Immediately responding, she deepened the kiss. Putting her arms around his neck, she pulled him closer as his arms found their place around her waist. Having to pull away for breath, Buffy let her forehead rest against his.

“And whenever I need you to shut up I can just…” He trailed off, the same smug smile on his lips. Rolling her eyes, Buffy gave him another quick kiss on his cheek as she leaned back against the headboard. After a minute, Spike leaned forward again.

“What’s wrong?” Buffy asked, seeing his expression.

“You said that when you got to see the future, I had a soul,” Spike started. “Is the soul what made you love me?” His tone was soft, as if he already knew the answer.

“No.” His head shot up to meet her gaze. “Spike, you’re the gray in my world of black and white,” she told him simply. “I always saw things simply. Soul equals good; no soul equals evil. But you proved that theory wrong. Even after you had the soul, you were still the man I knew you could be.” She paused and closed her eyes, trying to put it into words. “You’re not the Big Bad anymore, Spike. Anyone could easily see your soul.”

Her words left him speechless and he just continued to stare at her, a look of astonishment frozen on his features.

[Later, Xander’s Apartment]

“And Spike should be paired with Buffy to walk down the aisle,” Anya told Xander as they were going over wedding arrangements.

“Ahn, I agreed to letting Spike come to the wedding. He is not going to be in it, and certainly not paired with Buffy,” Xander said, losing his patience.

“Why not?” She whined. “The connection between them has become more than obvious since Buffy’s return. In fact, I think Buffy would find it most pleasant if-”

“Anya. Why don’t we put away the wedding plans for now, okay?” Anya’s smile returned and she closed her notebook. “We’re supposed to meet Giles and the others at the shop anyways.”

[Willow and Tara’s room]

“Morning, Sweetie,” Willow said as Tara entered the room.

Tara didn’t reply, except with a short smile. “Tara?” Willow asked, a little concerned.

“You’re still doing it, Willow,” Tara said firmly. “The spells for the simple things. You said you wouldn’t use so much.”

“It’s just- well, I-”

“No. It’s too much.” Tara sat down on the edge of the bed. “This may not work anymore,” she said sadly.

“Are you…are you saying you’re gonna leave me?” Willow asked, tears already pooling in her eyes.

“I don’t know…you have to try harder…or I’ll have to…” Both sat in silence, trying their hardest not to cry.

[Later, Xander’s apartment]

“Giles, what’re you saying?” Buffy asked, sitting down in the chair, Spike standing next to her. Willow and Tara were both standing near the shelves, talking about something else. Anya was counting her money behind the counter, Dawn doing her schoolwork, and Giles standing next to Buffy also. Xander however was trying to escape the insanity of this meeting as he wandered aimlessly through the aisles.

“I’m saying that I think something might be coming. Demon activity has slowed, because they all seem to be leaving town. We just need to keep an eye on things.”

Behind the shelves, Xander was acting like he was going through things, while he was really listening to Tara and Willow’s conversation.

“I promise, I’ll use less. Just don’t leave,” Willow whispered sadly.

“One week, Willow. Just one without magic, and I’ll think about staying.” Xander thought about their problems…then about his and Anya’s.

And now some new evil was in town.

Xander’s gaze fell on a necklace..

Bring singing and dancing to the town? Picking up the necklace he thought about it. That’s what they all needed- something to relax them through everything that was happening. Putting the necklace in his pocket, he walked back to the table.

Outside, a young girl stood, looking very angry. Slowly turning, she began to walk away from the Magic Box. Suddenly, the girl morphed into Jenny Calendar. “This’ll be too easy,” The First/Jenny said in a seething tone and continued walking.
Once More With Feeling by Faith04
And With This Power

Chapter Nine: Once More With Feeling


It had been three days since she’d gotten the required antidote. As life had begun to shift back into place, the weight of her responsibilities came crashing back down on her. She had gotten to see the future…

So that she could change it.

But how the heck was she supposed to change what was going to happen when things were happening differently than before.

She felt so lost and things were beginning to get hopeless. Xander and Anya were still having troubles, that much was obvious. Willow was still big with the magic. And, to make things worse, Spike had kept pushing the subject of a relaionship.

It’s not that she didn’t want one. She did. She wanted to try things with Spike…just not now.

There would come a time when she could devote herself fully to him…but now was not that time.

Now was the time to focus on things that were more of the supernatural and less about the vampire she’d just proclaimed her love to.

Suddenly, as she continued walking through the cemetery, Buffy felt a visible change in the air around her, but couldn’t figure out what was wrong. The music around her didn’t even register as she began to sing.

“Fumbling down a road lined with signs
It's obvious to me I'm in the wrong direction
And I won't stop now you know I feel fine
Just looking for some affection
And all I ask is to be able to hold on longer
And all I ask is to be able to walk on water
Walk on water

“I figure it won't be long it won't be hard
To try to get my feet back on the ground
It's got a hold of some unlucky cards
“And I have yet to make another round
And all I ask is to be able to hold on longer
And all I ask is to be able to walk on water
Walk on water

“Don't let them, don't lay love upon me
And we did move through everything late
No one cares to tell, no one dares to believe in me
And led me to drown in its place
And all I ask is to be able to hold on longer
And all I ask is to be able to walk on water
Walk on water”


Buffy suddenly stopped walking and her eyes widened as she realized that she had just been singing. “You’ve got to be kidding me!” She yelled and took off toward her house.

[Next day, Magic Box]

“So I wasn’t the only one singing?” Giles exclaimed, happy that he wasn’t going insane.

“Nope. Not just you. The whole town,” Buffy assured him. Before he could say anything, she started again. “Oh, and before you start with the books, his name is Sweet, he’s this sing-y, dancing demon who has come for a bride.”

After receiving strange looks from everyone, she figured she probably shouldn’t have sounded so knowing. “Um…I remember reading about h-him once,” she said shakily with a slight pout in place. Sitting down, she noticed Xander’s slight look of distress, but decided not to say anything.

“Well, alright then,” Giles said, putting his glasses back on. “Buffy, you could patrol tonight, look out for this, erm, Sweet. Maybe get Spike to help you. Willow, maybe you could-”

“No magic, Giles…if that’s what you were going to ask,” Willow replied shakily, glancing at Tara who was smiling at Willow’s choice.

Everyone in the room shifted a little at this, but all still smiled slightly. “Yes, right,” Giles said, gazing down slightly to hide the emotion in him.

He thought she was using too much…and now she was turning away from it. He couldn’t help but feel proud of her.

“Oh, my gosh!” Dawn’s shouts could be heard before she even opened the door. “You’ll never guess what happened in school today!”

‘Oh, boy,’ Buffy sighed. ‘Here we go…again.’

[Later, Xander’s apartment]

“I don’t see the big deal, Xander.” Anya was standing in front of Xander with her arms crossed. “So bunches of people are singing and dancing. Why does that mean we can’t go over our wedding plans?”

“Ahn, I told you. Buffy said that people might burn up…so we need to help any way we can, alright?” He really felt like he was talking to a five-year-old sometimes…not that it made him love her any less.

With a slight nod, Anya reluctantly agreed. “But only because I love you and I know that we’ll be married soon and you’ll make up for it on our wedding night.”

Xander sighed, but still smiled. Neither of them noticed what was happening until Xander started singing.


Xander: desperate for changing
starving for truth
closer to where I started
chasing after you

I'm falling even more in love with you
letting go of all I've held onto
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you
Anya: forgetting all I'm lacking
completely incomplete
I'll take your invitation
you take all of me now
I'm falling even more in love with you
letting go of all I've held onto
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you

Xander: I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and not quite sure where to go
and I don't know what I'm diving into
just hanging by a moment here with you
Together: there's nothing else to lose
there's nothing else to find
there's nothing in the world
that could change my mind
there is nothing else
there is nothing else
there is nothing else
Anya: desperate for changing
starving for truth
closer to where I started
chasing after you
I'm falling even more in love with you
letting go of all I've held onto
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you
Together: I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and not quite sure where to go
and I don't know what I'm diving into
just hanging by a moment here with you
just hanging by a moment
hanging by a moment
hanging by a moment
hanging by a moment here with you



[About the same time, Buffy’s house, Willow’s room]

Willow sat on the bed with a book open in front of her. She was careful to be quiet as she turned to the needed spell.
It would be simple. Just a little dimension altering spell to put Sweet back in his place.

Nothing could go wrong with that…right?

As she started to open her mouth, Willow happened to look up and see Tara standing there, a pained look on her face.
“Tara…I…I just wanted to help,” Willow said helplessly, getting up.

“Don’t,” Tara said in a strong voice, stronger than she ever had. “There isn’t a thing you could say right now…” Tara slowly backed up before stopping and taking a deep breath. “There’s a meeting at the Magic Box. We can’t find Dawn,” Tara said before taking off down the stairs.

[Cemetery, Same time]

Buffy was walking through the cemetery since the sun had set just an hour ago. She wasn’t looking for a slay, just Spike. She didn’t know about Dawn having gone missing yet.
As she made her way to his crypt, she braced herself, knowing he could have another song to sing to her this time around.

“Spike?” Her voice seemed to echo a little, but she didn’t have to look far for him. He was walking away from the TV after just turning it off. “Hey, I was-”

“I don’t know anything.”

“I don’t need you to know anything…I already do…I’ve been through this lifetime already, remember?” As he looked down, she sighed. “You don’t have to feel weird about it…if you do start singing, the only thing you have to worry about is if the song happens to be about ripping my throat out or something.” She smiled a little and was pleased that he returned it.

As she shut the door softly behind her, she walked a little closer. As she opened her mouth to say something, he started singing to her instead.


And I’d give up forever to touch you
’cause I know that you feel me somehow
You’re the closest to heaven that i’ll
Ever be
And I don’t want to go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
’cause sooner or later it’s over
I just don’t want to miss you tonight

And I don’t want the world to see me
’cause I don’t think that they’d
Understand
When everything’s made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And you can’t fight the tears that ain’t
Coming
Or the moment of truth in your lies
When everything feels like the movies
Yeah you bleed just to know you’re alive

And I don’t want the world to see me
’cause I don’t think that they’d
Understand
When everything’s made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And I don’t want the world to see me
’cause I don’t think that they’d
Understand
When everything’s made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And I don’t want the world to see me
’cause I don’t think that they’d
Understand
When everything’s made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

I just want you to know who I am
I just want you to know who I am
I just want you to know who I am



When Spike had finished the song Buffy smiled softly at him. “I-”

Buffy could curse the stupid fates for making her cell phone go off during this moment. “Damn…hold on,” she told him and flipped it open. “Hello?…Oh, hey, Xand…What?…You’ve got to be kidding me…No, he won’t hurt her…Yes, I’m sure…I’ll bring Spike and go find her. Thanks.” Buffy flipped the phone shut and cursed under her breath.

“Anything wrong, luv?” Spike asked after a moment.

“Stupid dummy-looking guys took Dawn. Long story…but I know where she is.” Spike looked pretty angry, but just nodded, grabbing his duster and following her out. He almost ran into her when she stopped. “Oh, and also…” He nodded, urging her to continue. “I…it’ll happen. Someday. You and me with the togetherness. Just can’t be now, okay? Trust me on this one.”

Buffy hadn’t told Spike anything about the fight with the First, and she didn’t plan to. But she knew it was coming, and she couldn’t have anything hold her back. Because she didn’t plan to lose a single person this time. That meant Spike couldn’t wear the amulet. So he’d be safer to just not know.

[Later, The Bronze]

“Slayer,” Sweet acknowledged with a smile as she entered.

“Demon,” she retorted with a smirk. “Wanna give me my sister back?” She asked, pointing to Dawn. “Oh, and before you start singing about how you want her to be your bride, save it. She didn’t summon you.”

“I told you!” Dawn shouted suddenly and then shut her mouth on her sister’s look.

“Well, this is quite a turn of events. If she didn’t summon me…then who did?”

“That would be…me,” Xander said stepping out from the rest of the gang that was behind Buffy. “I thought it’d be nice, ya know? Singing, dancing.”

Sweet just smiled again and stood with a sigh. “Well…no reason to fret now, is there? You beat the bad guy…”

As he said this, the red demon faded into a could of smoke.

Buffy couldn’t help but smile. This time the songs weren’t depressing or giving out bad secrets.

Things were looking up.

Guess what? She spoke too soon.

Giles led Dawn out of the building, lecturing her on the importance of not taking things that don’t belong to her. Xander was already leading Anya out of the building.
Buffy had gone over to Tara to talk to her, sensing something was wrong. But Tara refused to do anything but smile sweetly and make sure Buffy was okay.

As the two young women began to talk and laugh a little, Willow stood off to the side, tears in her eyes. Spike stood on the opposite side of the room, near one of the exits.


Willow: I'm not a perfect person
There's many things I wish I didn't do
But I continue learning
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know
Spike: I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
and the reason is you

I'm sorry that I hurt you
It's something I must live with everyday
And all the pain I put you through
I wish that I could take it all away
And be the one who catches all your tears
That’s why I need you to hear
Both: I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
and the reason is You [x4]
Spike: I'm not a perfect person
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know
Willow: I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
and the reason is you
Both: I've found a reason to show
A side of me you didn't know
A reason for all that I do
And the reason is you



As both broke off, the spell finally wore off of both of them as it did the entire town. But neither Buffy nor Tara heard the songs sung to them. Willow slowly walked out of the exit near her, as Spike did the same.

They would leave for now…there was some things that had to be done.

As one of Buffy’s laughs died off, she turned from Tara to see that Willow and Spike were gone. Although she had an uneasy feeling, she just smiled and led Tara from the Bronze.

Things’ll be fine. I know they will.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that…


TBC... Review Please
Hurt by Faith04
A/N: I tried to put this up last night also, but couldn’t get it up till now. I just didn’t want to leave it where I had.

Also, I should probably tell you that this is definitely not going to follow the season 6 outline anymore…it started out like that, but it’s going very AU. So, don’t expect any more of the baddies from season six.

And With This Power

Chapter Ten: Hurt



No.

Everything was fine.

Just because she hadn’t seen Willow or Spike for two days now didn’t mean that anything was wrong.

She’d gone to his crypt a few times to discover that he wasn’t there, and she had no clue what to think.

But what wigged her out even more is the fact that Willow had yet to come home or even call.

Tara had offered a simple locating spell because of how worried Buffy was getting, but Buffy didn’t take her up on it.

But now she was seriously considering it.

As she arrived home from yet another patrol, she felt aches all over her body.

“Dawn!” It was only a few seconds after Buffy called for her sister that she remembered Dawn was staying with Anya and Xander. Tara had offered to continue living there until Willow came back, and Buffy guessed that she was upstairs sleeping.

Setting her jacket on the couch, the slayer started for the kitchen and almost jumped out of her skin when Spike suddenly appeared from the kitchen doorway.

After calming herself down, Buffy sent a glare Spike’s way that was followed by a confused look.

“Scare ya, pet?” He asked with a smirk.

Glaring, she answered, “No. Where’ve you been?”

“Why miss me?”

“Spike-”

“I just went out for a few days. Needed some space is all.”

“Oh. Well, you should’ve said something…I was getting worried.”

With a roll of his eyes, Spike sighed. “Why, didn’t think you’d be able to handle all the new big bads on your own?”

“I love you…you know that’s why,” she answered, looking slightly hurt.

“Right. You love me. See while I was out, I thought about a few things. You end up saying you love a bloke right before you take him to your bed…and they leave soon thereafter. So I’m thinking something must be wrong in that department. See, I thought I loved you…and I do. I love the part of you that fights. I love the slayer. Not Buffy. Just a bit too clingy and whiney for my tastes.” Smirking, Spike walked past her, then stopped to look at her again.

Buffy had unshed tears in her eyes that she refused to let fall. Suddenly, Spike started laughing and then morphed into a mirror image of Buffy herself.

Realization hit Buffy and she didn’t know if she felt relief or grief at the moment. “Get out,” Buffy said coldly to herself/the First.

“Oh, come on. I love getting you all worked up like that. I guess Spike’s a sore spot for you. It’s gonna hurt when he doesn’t come back, isn’t it?” The First then changed into Angel.

“Come on, Buffy…you’re working yourself too hard here.” As Angel/ the First smiled at her, the front door opened to reveal Dawn, Giles, Xander and Anya. They had all come over to discuss the disappearance of Willow.

Because they honestly didn’t care that Spike was gone.

Well, Dawn did…but the others didn’t seem to worry about it.

“Angel?” Giles asked; his eyes narrowed.

The First turned to face Giles. “Hey, how ya been lately? Got any new schoolteachers I can break?” He asked with a smirk.

“Angelus,” Giles corrected himself and took a step back.

“Get out!” Buffy’s scream had everyone turning to face her.

The First once again morphed into Buffy and sighed. “Fine, ruin my fun. You think you can win? You think just because you got to see the future that you can beat me?” The First smiled and laughed a little. “Guess what. I got to see the future too,” she said in a taunting voice. “So any advantage you thought you had over me…forget it. I’m way ahead of you. In fact…” The First morphed first into the potential, Amanda and then into Kennedy. “I’ve already got some of your warriors down. Pick up the pace, Slayer.” Kennedy/the First vanished, leaving four confused Scoobies and one pissed off slayer.

“Buffy?” Giles asked, stepping forward.

“I don’t guess you want to explain all of that?” Xander questioned, also taking a few steps toward her.

[Same time]

Willow walked out of a small building, a smile on her face. She was doing better. It had only been her first day with the woman who promised she could help the redhead.

Willow had left Sunnydale, knowing she had hurt the one woman who would do nothing to harm her. With the knowledge that she needed help, Willow had gone to see a powerful Wicca she’d heard of, in hopes that she could learn to be responsible for her power.

[Same time]

Spike was determined to do this. No matter what Buffy had said, he knew that she wanted a souled Spike.

So that’s what she’d get.

Speaking of…

“Buffy?” He asked in disbelief as she walked in front of him. “What? How?”

“What do you think? I followed you.” Of course he didn’t know, but this was the First.

“Um…why?”

“To stop you from doing something stupid. This soul thing? Don’t do it.”

Spike didn’t know how she knew what he was doing, but he still looked confused. “Why not?”

“Because if you get the soul, then I’d have to feel all sorry for you and then there’d be no way I could leave.”

“Leave?” Spike tried his hardest not to let the hurt be evident in his voice.

“Yeah. Leave…as in leave you. Come on…you honestly think we’d work out? I had demon poison in me when I proclaimed my love for you. And believe me…there’s nothing I regret saying more.”

Spike pushed all hurt aside and masked it with anger. “Slayer-”

“I don’t have time for this. Or you.” She turned to walk away. Suddenly turning back around, she sighed. “And if you decide to come back home…there’s no longer a standing invite,” the First lied and turned.

Spike could only watch as she turned the corner to walk through a trail in the woods. He couldn’t see her anymore, but he had too many emotions running through him to move.

The First/Buffy stopped walking when she came to the man who had been waiting for it.

“Go for it, Caleb. Get me a new soldier,” she said with a smirk that Caleb returned.

Caleb walked out to where Spike was still standing.

“Ain’t that just like a woman? Make the promises and then turn her back on you.” Caleb made the ‘tsk’ sound as Spike eyed him wearily. “A war’s about to begin. Against the Slayer and all her friends. There’s no doubt that they will lose. And the Slayer’s pretty little neck will get to crack in you hands…if you want it.”

Spike wasn’t this stupid. He was mad, yes. But he loved Buffy still; there’s no way he’d help kill her. “Sorry, don’t think so,” Spike said, taking a step forward.

“Ah,” Caleb started, a smirk on his face. “That, my boy, is where you don’t have a choice.” Before Spike had time to contemplate what Caleb had said, Caleb’s hand was brought down on Spike’s shoulder and a bright light surrounded them both.

And Spike could only scream in pain at the magics that tore through him.

The magics that took all his love for Buffy and Dawn away.

The magics that made the demon in control of the man again.

The magics that took all the good there was out of him.

And the magics that made him the First’s newest recruit.

As the light died down, Spike lifted his head with an evil glint in his eyes. Turning to Caleb, the vampire could only smile.

Spike’s smile turned into a smirk as he asked, “Didn’t you say something about cracking someone’s neck?”
Lies by Faith04
Three months. That’s how long it had been since the first appearance of the First.

Buffy had calmly explained to her friends that she’d had a vision about the First. But she definitely did not tell them about how she saw most of the future.

---Flashback, three months before---

“I-I had this dream. A few nights ago. I didn’t know what it meant until the First just showed up.”

“Didn’t it say something about seeing the future?” Dawn asked.

“Y-yeah…talking about my dream…that’s all the future I got to see,” she lied in assurance.

“So, is this something we should be worried about?” Xander asked.

Buffy and Giles shared a knowing look. “You should be more than worried.”

---End flashback---


Immediately, Buffy had the council round up all the potentials they knew of. They weren’t going to be brought to Buffy’s house, but put in a safe haven somewhere in England.

Buffy had no idea how she was going to work this out.

Willow had called a week after her disappearance and assured Buffy and Tara that she’d be back soon. She didn’t tell them what she was doing, just simply that she’d come home soon enough.

Sometime or another, Buffy would have to get Willow to do the spell to make all the potentials slayers. They’d need the muscle once the fighting started.

None of the Scoobies had anymore encounters with the First since that day.

But, none of them had yet to see Spike either.

Even Giles had been concerned for the bleached vamp the other day.

Huh. Who would’ve thought?

As Buffy continued to dry the dishes, waiting for Dawn to get home from Janice’s house, she never heard someone open her front door.

As Spike walked in the front door, he was a little confused. Hadn’t Buffy said he’d no longer be invited? Shrugging it off, he put on his best ‘I love you’ face and started slowly toward the kitchen. Buffy was humming some tune while washing the dishes over the sink.

Buffy felt her slayer senses kick in and she turned quickly.

But she couldn’t prepare herself for seeing him.

After three months of no word at all.

He was just standing there, smiling, like he would every other day.

“Hey,” he said in a monotone voice.

“Hey? Gone for three months and all you have to say is ‘hey’?”

“Hey, you’re the one who-” Suddenly, Spike stopped himself. Fighting with her wasn’t going to get her on his side.

“I’m the one who what?”

“Nothing…I just needed to think, okay?”

“And it took you three months? Brain must be slower than I thought.”

Okay, now he was just getting pissed off. He was trying to be ‘nice guy’ here, and she threw it back in his face.

Okay, technically, he just wanted to bite her.

But he had to wait. The First assured him he could be the one to kill the slayer.

“Sorry,” Spike mumbled.

Buffy just shook her head. “You should be. God, what were you thinking!?”

“Hey, now!” What was she so worked up about? Oh yeah, new evil that wants her dead. Funny.

“You were gone! What am I supposed to think? I mean, there’s this damned First Evil that wants to kill me, and I’ve got a couple dozen slayers piled up over in England just sitting and waiting for me to give them an okay to move. And you! You weren’t here!”

Spike would’ve laughed if he could. Seeing a slayer so worked up over something.

But no. He had to play pretend now.

“Oh, Buffy…I’m so sorry, luv.” Buffy blinked back tears and nodded her head.

“Listen…it’s late, Buffy. I guess…I’ll go.”

“No. I mean…with this new evil…it’d be nice if you could…stay?” Spike smirked inwardly. It was so easy to get her exactly where he wanted. The more he was around her, the more he would find out about her plans.

“Okay.”

---Next night---

Spike walked into the caves the First used and leaned against the wall. When the First finally appeared, it took the form of Kennedy. “So?”

“I’m in. Also got some info for you.”

“…Well?”

“She was talkin’ to me last night. Told me that the girls were over in England in some little fort they set up.”

Kennedy’s form smirked and then cracked her neck. “I love it when things work out my way.”

“Uh, yeah, great for you.” He didn’t sound like he cared. “Why is the Slayer acting like she never told me to piss off when she met up with me that day?”

The First knew he would ask that. “Forgetting spell I had Caleb do. I leave the fairytale stuff to him,” she said, sounding like Kennedy still.

Spike was still skeptical. He wouldn’t care whether Buffy had really said it or not. He hadn’t felt this free in a long time.

He didn’t love or feel.

Which made everything so much easier.

“Lemme ask you somethin’ then. You take the forms of the dead. Can you look like Buffy?”

“No.” It was a lie, but it couldn’t have Spike thinking that it was all a setup. “I can only take the forms of the currently dead.”

Spike smiled slightly and then pushed himself off the wall. “Well…when do I get to play with her?”

Smiling, the First answered, “Let me kill those pesky potentials first. Then you can have her.”

With a smirk, Spike started walking away.

---Same time---

“No, Superman could totally-”

“It was a figure of speech, Andrew.”

Andrew just smiled, knowing he was annoying Buffy.

Last month, Buffy had upgraded the basement a little and made it as comfy as she could. Andrew and Jonathon actually had separate twin beds to sleep in now. And they were no longer ‘guestage’…just guests. They’d tried to prove themselves worthy a couple of times by trying to help with patrol, and Buffy couldn’t help but give them some slack.

“So…Spike’s back,” Jonathon said, changing the subject. “What’s that like?”

“Confusing.” Buffy’s shoulders slumped a little as she admitted this. “He’s just been a little weird.”

“Well…I can make cupcakes,” Andrew offered. “Or, hey! Movie night! Just us three, the couch, a couple of chick flicks?”

Buffy had an amused smile on her face, but then shook her head ‘no’. “Sorry…I’m a bit tired from all the waiting. For the First to make it’s move, ya know?”

They both nodded and Buffy got up from the couch, heading toward her room.

As she was about to get into bed, she was surprised when Spike came walking though her bedroom door. “Hey,” he said softly.

“Hi…”

She remembered how nice it felt when he had just held her those few nights.

He knew what she was thinking. She was a woman. What else would she want besides having him hold her and be there just to comfort?

Okay…Caleb’s personalities were definitely rubbing off on him.

Note to self: Not so much training time with Caleb.

As Spike held her that night, both of them had separate thoughts. Buffy wanted to know what was causing this odd gut feeling.

Spike just wanted to know when she’d fall asleep so he could go get an update with the First.
If It Wasn't For You by Faith04
A/N: For all those upset about where this is going, calm down. Lol. Spike won’t kill Buffy or her friends. He won’t even be evil much longer, I promise. The main plot of this story is Buffy fighting the First…except differently than she saw in Heaven. So, I’m not going to keep Spike evil, because that takes away from my big picture. Lol. So, don’t fret. Only one last chapter of evil Spike, and then we’re fine. He was just some little itty bitty angst I needed to throw in. :P Thanks for reading!


“Ow! Watch where you’re going, snotface!” Andrew whispered in a ‘yelling’ type tone. Andrew had walked into the dark kitchen only collide with a short man, who could only be Jonathon.

“You watch it!”

“You’re gonna wake Buffy up!” It was still the middle of the night, and these two were the only ones awake.

Jonathon was about to reply when he heard someone descending the steps. He recognized the British curses and knew it was Spike.

For some reason, Jonathon had a gut instinct to stay out of the way. He pulled Andrew into the shadows of the kitchen and watched as Spike put on his duster and boots at the front door. When he was done, he quietly exited the house.

“Why were we hiding from Spike?” Andrew asked once Jonathon had taken his hand away from his mouth.

“I don’t know…instinct I guess.”

“Like slayer senses?” Andrew questioned.

“No. Not the same. Why is Spike leaving in the middle of the night, anyway?”

“I dunno.” Both were silent for a short moment, both thinking the same thing. “So, wanna follow him and see what he’s up to? Could be like a secret Superman mission or something.”

Jonathon smiled and raced Andrew to the door.

-----

“Well, well, well. Someone finally decided to show up,” The First/Kennedy said in a teasing voice as Spike entered the caves.

“Ha Ha. Bloody slayer wanted me to hold her. Thought she’d never go to sleep.”

The form of Kennedy walked closer and smiled. “I sent someone to get rid of those irritating potentials. Which means you can go back and get Buffy now. She’s all yours. Do whatever you want. Course, you can’t keep her alive too long. I need the entire slayer line dead to begin my plans.”

“Believe me. She won’t be alive too long.”

Above the caves, at the little opening, Andrew and Jonathon watched with wide eyes at the scene going on before them.

“Oh, and uh…never got to thank your boy Caleb,” Spike said before he started walking away.

“What for?”

“Ya know, working his mojo. Taking away the love, the good. It’s all really annoying to be a vampire and still want to cuddle with the slayer. So, next time you see Caleb…thank him for me,” Spike said with a smirk and began walking away.

Andrew and Jonathon sped away once they had that last bit of information. It was all they needed to know that Spike was the First’s instrument.

----

The nerd duo hadn’t stopped running until they reached Buffy’s house. When they finally burst through the door, they locked it behind them. “Go get Buffy,” Andrew was ordered by Jonathon.

When Andrew appeared a few moments later, he looked confused. “She’s not upstairs.” It was then that both spotted a note on the nearby counter.

Picking it up, Andrew read:

Hey, guys. Couldn’t sleep well. Went out for patrol.

-Buffy


“Spike isn’t home yet. He probably sensed her and followed her to the cemetery,” Jonathon said sadly. At the same time, both looked to the stairs and took in a deep breath.

“Tara!” They screamed in unison.

---Cemetery---

“Buffy?”

The Slayer jumped at the sound of Spike’s voice behind her and then sighed. “Oh, you mean you’re still in town? I woke up and figured I probably shouldn’t expect to see you for another few months,” she replied in an icy voice.

Spike just stood there, a smirk on his face. “There’s still things here to stay for,” he said casually. “Now. I don’t want you to be shocked when I hit you, because it’s no fun when you don’t fight back.” Before Buffy could think, Spike’s fist had been her reason for landing on the ground. “No. Still fun.”


A half hour later, Spike was tying a semi-conscious Buffy to a rock in the caves. He hadn’t really beaten her up. A few hits were enough to put her more in a state of shock and made it easy for him to bring her here.

When Buffy finally regained herself, she glared at him. “You’re not him.”

“Oh, I’m Spike, alright. But after your little show down in Africa, I figured that since you didn’t want me here, the First might have some use for me.”

“Africa!?” Buffy couldn’t help it and started laughing. “God, you really are stupid.” The monotone remark received a punch from Spike. “Come on, Spike! It’s the First. It who can take the form of all things dead! Technically, I’m already dead!”

“The First can only take the form of the currently dead.”

“Wrong again, Spikey.” Buffy let out another angry laugh. “The First has taken my form before.”

Suddenly, the First appeared, in the form of Kennedy. “She’s lying. I think that deserves punishment.” When Spike picked up a sword, ready to finish Buffy off, Caleb ran in.

“Stop!” He yelled. “The potentials…they aren’t dead! The ones we sent to kill them failed. Only three of the potentials were actually there, because the others were in training sessions.”

The First didn’t see this as a reason to panic and only smiled. “Hmm. Guess that means we have to keep her alive a bit longer. We kill her; another slayer will rise. Can’t have that. Play for awhile, then you can kill her.”

Spike smirked and raised the sword again.


---Same time, Buffy’s house---

Tara sat with a book in her lap, candles burning around her. As she chanted a spell, Andrew and Jonathon watched.

---A half hour earlier---

“What is it?” Tara asked with concern as she ran downstairs.

When the duo had explained to Tara what they’d heard in the caves, Tara had closed her eyes, concentrating on something.

When her eyes finally opened, she nodded. “I can help. T-the First did do some kind of spell. But it didn’t get rid of Spike’s feelings for Buffy or fill him with evil; it only masked his love and his good side. Now all I need to do is-” She paused when she realized she should probably explain her plan in simple terms. “-um, unmask those feelings and the good. I-it’s actually not that hard. Just…um…d-don’t be near me when I do it.” Tara felt uncomfortable being so controlling at the moment, so she softened her orders with a smile.



Now Tara continued chanting until the candles flared and then burnt out. A small, bright ball of light formed and then burst, filling the room for a complete second. When the room was dark again, Tara stood and turned the lights on. “Th-there’s not much else I can do…we’ll have to wait and see if they come home.”


---Same time, Caves---

Buffy’s eyes widened as she watched Spike slowly bring the sword to her. He was going for the torture thing.

Suddenly, Spike pulled back and his eyes widened. The smile on the First’s incorporeal face faded and she glared at the bleached vampire. “What the hell are you waiting for?”

Spike shook his head and his look hardened again. “Don’t know. Felt something strange is all.” Spike raised the sword again and brought it down hard. Closing her eyes, Buffy waited for the blow, but never felt it. When she opened her eyes, Caleb was on the ground with the sword in his gut and Spike was quickly untying her.

Before Buffy could get in a word, he was running fast with her in his arms.

Buffy was totally and completely in shock. She thought she was going to die.

And she had been terrified. What made it hurt worse was that her mind was still stuck in that moment, watching Spike raise his sword.

Buffy barely heard, felt or saw anything as she was set on the porch and Spike gently shook her shoulders. There were unshed tears in his eyes and his pain-filled voice kept asking if she was okay.

But she never heard.
Fall in Line by Faith04
“Buffy?” Spike repeated as Andrew, Jonathon and Tara ran out on the front porch. “Buffy!”

Buffy finally blinked and by reaction, jumped away from Spike.

“Luv, it’s alright, I promise,” Spike soothed as he inched closer to her and kneeled before her.

“You’re…I mean, why…it just…”

Spike silenced her by pulling her into a hug. “A spell, Buffy. The First used a spell on me a couple months ago.”

Tara sighed in relief that her spell had worked and she went closer to the couple.

“Come on, Buffy. W-we’ll get you some tea and tell you what happened, alright?” Buffy accepted Tara’s hand and the five went back inside.

----

The next morning, Buffy woke to the sunlight streaming across her face. Slowly sitting up, she decided to make her way down.

When she entered the dark living room, she remembered that they had closed the blinds because Spike had decided to sleep on the couch.

She sat down in the chair in the living room, turning the TV on low volume so she could watch it. When she was sure Spike wasn’t going to wake up, Buffy picked up the telephone and dialed a number.

“Hey, Giles…yes, I’m fine. Uh, Spike’s good too. I don’t think there’s any side effects from the spell…yeah…Oh, right, um…I need you to call the council. Tell them to send the potentials over here to Sunnydale tonight at the latest…yes, I’m sure…Thanks. Bye.”

Buffy hung up the phone and made sure Spike was still sleeping before she picked it up and dialed another number.

“Angel?” She started in a whisper. “No, I’m fine…because I don’t want to wake Spike up…no, he’s not in my bed!” Buffy immediately calmed down and sighed when she realized Spike was still asleep. “Listen, I need you to do something for me…There’s an amulet. Supposed to be worn by a champion, something with a soul but greater than human…yes, it’s dangerous, but I really need it, Angel…Don’t do that. Don’t try to protect me. This is my job. I need that amulet….Thank you, Angel…One more thing. Don’t mention the amulet to anyone, okay? Keep it between me, you, and whoever you have to talk to in order to get that amulet…Thanks. Bye, Angel.”

Buffy sighed and put the phone back in it’s cradle. Standing up, she walked from the living room and into the kitchen.

Spike opened his eyes in the living room. The confused expression on his face was enough to show that he had heard both phone conversations.

---Next night, Buffy’s living room---

Twenty potentials sat scared in the confines of the living room. Xander, Anya, Giles, Tara, Dawn, Andrew, Jonathon, and Spike sat there also, wondering why Buffy had called them there.

Finally, Buffy walked into the large living room and took a deep breath. “I’ve just contacted Willow. She’s on her way home.” Walking into the room a little further, Buffy just glanced to each potential. “Hi, um, everyone. You’re all probably wondering why I brought all the potentials here…” After a short pause, she continued. “This isn’t going to be a battle, you guys. This is going to be a war. That means a bunch of big battles that result in death.” When everyone stared at her with wide eyes she shrugged. “But, hey…life of a slayer. Means you die. Then again, everyone dies.”

“Um, is this supposed to be helping us?” A potential asked with narrowed eyes. Even her friends were a little shocked at how she was talking.

“Wars result in death,” she continued. “Just make sure it’s none of you that are doing the dying.

“I’ve gone through countless battles with my friends, and they’re still here. They aren’t slayers, or potentials. But they get the job done and come out alive. You can do the same.”

“So, why did you call us here?” Another potential asked.

“Because tonight’s battle number one. And to be in a battle, I need an army.”

“Wait,” Xander said suddenly. “How do you know there’s a fight tonight? Did we get threatened?”

“No. I’ve decided I’m not waiting around for them to pick us off. We start the battle and we’ve got the advantage. You guys done asking questions?” Her tone was slightly annoyed.

“Now, hold on, Buffy. You can’t just jump into a battle without making plans,” Giles told her.

“I have made a plan. We go to this vineyard. It’s where Caleb, ubervamps, bringers, and the First hides out.”

“Ubervamps? Bringers?” Dawn asked.

“Ubervamp is a really ugly-looking vampire. Also very strong. Stronger than me. Bringers are eyeless guys who are out to kill us all.”

“And we’re just going to walk into their lair? I’m not liking this, Buff,” Xander said.

“Look, I don’t even know if they’ve raised an ubervamp yet. And bringers aren’t that strong.”

“So, you’re willing to take a chance?” Dawn asked, feeling very skeptical.

Buffy was getting very annoyed. This was the second time she’d had to go through this. All she wanted to do was get it over with. That’s why she was being extra bitchy.

“Fine. You know what? You all can stay here while I go out and do this.”

Spike chose now to cut in. He grabbed her arm before she got to the door. “Hey now. Stop right there. You’re certainly not going in alone.”

“I’m going in whether you guys come or not. And since it looks like everyone’s staying here, I guess I am going alone.”

“Buffy. Now, Spike is making a good point. You cannot face all of this alone.”

“Watch me.” Everyone’s eyes softened at the pain they heard in her voice. They had no idea how hard it was to go through all this again.

She’d been all tough and commander-y because it helped to hide the pain. But when Giles had said she couldn’t face it alone, it brought up old memories and she couldn’t help how her voice cracked.

“Wait, you guys.” Xander stood up. “Now…Buffy’s never been wrong about these things. Even when we doubt her. So…let’s get ready and we’re following you, Buff.”

Buffy smiled at her friend and nodded. “I’ll meet you all outside.”

---Outside, just a few minutes later---

Everyone was still getting ready as Spike stepped out on the porch to stand by Buffy. “You had visions about all this in Heaven didn’t you?”

“I already told you I did.”

“No…you didn’t tell me the specifics about the First.”

“No, I didn’t.”

“I’d like it if you did. You’re planning something, Buffy. And you need to let me in, or you’ll get yourself killed.”

“Spike-”

“We’re ready, Buffy,” Dawn said as she opened the door for the potentials, Xander, and Tara to step out. “Giles, Anya, and the nerds are staying here with me.”

Buffy nodded as they set off for the vineyard.

She had to get the scythe tonight.

---Vineyard, middle of the fight---

Buffy swung around, landing a kick into a bringer. So far, they hadn’t seen any ubervamps, so that was of the good.

“Buffy!” She heard a girl shout. Turning, she saw a potential in the hands of Caleb.

When they got here, Buffy had quickly learned that Spike stabbing Caleb with the sword wasn’t enough to kill him.

“No!” Buffy yelled at Caleb. “Let her go!”

“That’s not the way these things work, Slayer.”

“Xander, get everyone out!” Buffy shouted at him as she ran toward Caleb. By the time she’d gotten there, Caleb had already broken the girl’s neck.

“Oops. Guess I bent her poor neck the wrong way.”

Another potential, who had been distracted, felt a sword slide through her lower abdomen and she fell lifeless to the ground.

Xander had managed to get the rest of them out. The only ones left were Spike, Buffy, and the two dead bodies.

Without hesitating, Buffy ran forward, delivering hard fast blows and kicks. Caleb didn’t have time to react as she blocked him in a corner and backhanded him to the ground.

Now she turned and started running for the entrance where she knew the scythe was. But suddenly she was pulled back. Turning, she realized that the one holding her back was Spike.

“Buffy, we need to get out!”

“Let go, Spike!”

“Slayer, I’ll carry you out if I have to. Preacher Boy’ll get up any second. Let’s go!”

Spike had to drag Buffy out and when they got there, they were met with the eighteen remaining potentials, and an expressionless Xander.

---Later, Buffy’s living room---

“I did not make a mistake tonight, Giles,” she argued.

“How can you say that!” A potential yelled. “We just watched two of our friends die! We warned you, and you led us down there!”

“Because I had to.”

“Why, Buff?” Xander asked, finally talking. “What did we get out of this?”

“He has something down there, Xand. It’s the key to winning this.”

“Even if you are right, and it is down there…where is it? It’s still down there, Buffy!” Anya practically yelled. “You acted like you knew you would win. But you didn’t. Do you think you’re better than us?”

Buffy’s eyes widened. This conversation was sounding way too familiar.

“You’re being careless,” Rona pitched in.

“We can’t win if you’re leading us,” Anya said, not sounding very sorry.

“Which is why you should go,” Dawn said in almost a whisper. “I love you, Buffy. But…this is big and we can’t have you making big decisions that get everyone killed. You need to leave.”

Buffy looked around, and no one looked like they would object.

Except Spike who looked pissed off and ready to kill everyone in the room bar Buffy.

“I’m sorry, Buffy. But you can’t be apart of this anymore.”

A/N: I loved the “Touched” episode. But, unfortunately, things are going to go way different. Buffy’s not giving up like before, so she won’t even need a comforting speech. Just wait for the next chapter when this conversation is continued.
Get Out by Faith04
Buffy’s expression didn’t even change as her friends and family tried to kick her out.

“Buffy…I…” Dawn started.

“No,” was Buffy’s answer. “I’m not leaving.”

“That’s right, she’s not leaving,” Spike said, his angry side coming through.

“Buffy, we understand that you want to help. But you didn’t even think today.”

“I thought plenty,” Buffy said in a casual tone. “Now that we’re done with this discussion, is anyone hungry?” She asked as if the conversation was really over.

“Buffy…”

“You’re being careless!” Rona shouted and a few other potentials agreed.

“No!” Buffy yelled back, losing her cool. “I’m being a leader!”

“Being a leader means getting people killed?” Giles asked. “We clearly warned you of the consequences and you ignored them!”

“Okay…” Buffy said in calm tone. “I’ll tell you what. Anyone who doesn’t like my tactics and leadership. Get out of my house. But once you walk out that door, don’t you dare expect me to protect you against the First.”

“Do you just think you’re better than us?” Anya asked. “You think you’re the only one who can protect us?”

“No. Spike can help,” Buffy retorted.

“Buffy. We just think you need some time to cool off.”

“And do you think that by kicking me out of my own house, in a city where I’m wanted dead, that I’m going to cool off!?” Buffy yelled. “Six damn years! Six years I’ve protected you, so don’t you dare tell me that I’m being careless, or that I need to leave.”

“In Buffy’s defense…”

“Shut-up, Bleach Boy,” Xander cut off Spike.

“No. He’s in this too. As much as you may not like it. He’s in this.”

Everyone in the room looked a mixture of angry and shamed. “Um, can I say something?” Andrew asked. At Buffy’s nod, he cleared his throat. “Buffy’s a good leader. She fights stuff and keeps saving you guys. So just because you guys don’t agree with her, doesn’t mean you need to get all selfish with the leader position.”

Jonathon spoke up. “Yeah, I mean…she’s done this for six years, and now you’re putting her out there with nothing. No one.”

Spike stepped forward. “Um, actually, she goes, I go too.”

Bravely, a shy potential stood up. “Me too,” she said strongly. “You guys, Buffy’s done everything possible to protect us. She can’t insure that some of us won’t die…but she’s been trying pretty damn hard. So…if she goes…I’m going with her.”

Dawn took a deep breath. “We’re just saying-”

“No. This conversation is over, Dawn. I’m staying. You don’t like it? You leave.” Dawn was taken aback by Buffy’s harsh words and looked hurt. “Don’t you do that. Don’t you tell me to leave and then act wounded when you get the same retort. Doesn’t work like that Dawn.”

Dawn was about to say something when suddenly, there was a knock on the door. “Buffy, it’s me!” Buffy heard Angel call.

Smiling, she went to the door and let him in. “Whoa…guess you’ve got some company.”

“These are the potentials, Angel. So, do you have it?”

“Have what?” Giles asked.

“The amulet,” Angel answered.

But at the same time, Buffy shouted out “Nothing,” not wanting Giles and the others to know. Luckily, her voice drowned out Angel’s so the others didn’t hear. “Where is it?”

Angel sighed and brought it out, but didn’t hand it to her. “I can’t let you have it, Buffy.”

“Hell you can’t. Give it here.”

“Buffy…I researched it. This thing is beyond dangerous. It requires a sac-” Buffy knew he was about to say ‘sacrifice’ so she cut him off.

“I know it’s dangerous. But it’s the key to winning this, okay.”

“Buffy…”

“What is it, Buffy?” Spike asked quietly. Both Buffy and Angel turned to him.

“What are you doing here, Spike?”

“He works for us,” Buffy explained as Spike walked over. She looked at him for a second before smiling. He returned it and Angel looked confused.

“Wait. Am I missing something? Buffy…is he…”

“What?”

“Ya know…your boyfriend?” Everyone in the room had wide eyes as they waited for her answer.

“No,” she replied as if it was crazy to think. Spike looked down; he’d known that would be her answer. Buffy then smiled a little. “But he will be.”

There were whispers and gasps going around the room, but Angel’s look of confusion made Buffy’s mouth twitch into a smile.

“Buffy…you can’t be serious.”

Spike was smiling now too. “Oh, I think she is,” he said with a smirk aimed at Buffy.

Buffy seemed to come out of the moment quicker than any of them. “I need the amulet.”

“Buffy, you have no idea what this thing does.”

“Yes I do,” she said quietly.

“Buffy…there isn’t a written record about what exactly it does except the fact that the sacrifice needs to be something with a soul, but more than human.”

Everyone gasped but Buffy ignored them. “Which would be me. Now give it.”

Spike pulled Buffy a little roughly so she’d face him. “No. You’re not doing this.”

“You don’t even know what I’m going to do!”

“You mean besides kill yourself!?”

“What?” She asked, and then sighed. “Oh, God…Spike. I’m not going to be the sacrifice, okay.”

“Then how do you plan to do it?”

“Easy…or, I’m hoping it is. I wear it, it works, then I take it off and run for my life.”

Buffy heard Dawn giggle behind her and it made Buffy smile a little. “Buffy…” Angel started, and as he did Buffy took the amulet from him. “Hey!”

“Ha. Might want to work on those reflexes, Angel,” she teased. Angel sighed and smiled.

“Buffy…be careful, okay?”

“I promise.”

Buffy took a step forward and Spike thought for sure they were going to kiss. But instead, Buffy gave the older vampire a friendly hug. “Thanks for this.”

“You’re welcome, Buffy.” He pulled away and smiled at everyone else before turning.

But all of a sudden, he turned around, facing Spike. He’d sensed that something was different when he’d first walked in, but now he thought he knew what it was.

Taking a few steps forward, Angel looked into Spike’s eyes. “Hey, Peaches…if you’re trying to kiss me, I should probably let you know I’m not like that.”

Angel rolled his eyes and then focused on Spike again.

With slightly wide and confused eyes, Angel turned to face the blond slayer. “You didn’t tell me he had his soul.” Buffy’s and Spike’s eyes went wide also.

“What!?”
Bad for the Soul by Faith04
“What?” Dawn repeated, her voice much quieter. Everyone in the room looked equally shocked.

“Well…it’s there. He’s got it,” Angel replied, his hand going to scratch his head slightly.

Buffy just looked at Spike and shook her head. “You said that the First got to you before you could get your soul.”

“It did!” Spike almost yelled, not liking that someone or something was messing with him.

“I don’t understand,” Giles murmured, taking off his glasses to clean them.

“That makes a roomful of us,” Xander stated.

Anya was pouting slightly. All this deal with the First, Caleb, and now Spike was pushing the wedding further and further back. Of course, she knew, that these were things that needed to be done, considering they were life-or-death situations.

Dawn was grinning like she didn’t know how to stop. “Really?”

Everyone ignored her almost inaudible question and turned back to Spike.

“We need to find out if this is something with the First…or I dunno…”

Angel had been thinking hard and now he turned to Buffy slowly. “I may know a way you can find out.”

---A little while later, living room---

Buffy stood in the middle of the darkened room, only a few candles illuminating around her. The potentials watched eagerly from the doorway and everyone else, minus Tara, stood along the outer edges of the room. Willow had yet to make it home, so Tara was standing next to Buffy, setting everything up.

“So…I just go speak to these oracle things…and they tell me why Spike has his soul?” Buffy asked Angel with raised eyebrows.

“Hopefully. They may not have anything to tell you.” He paused for a moment. “Oh, and you need an offering.”

“You mean like a goat?” Buffy questioned, looking slightly confused.

“No…like a watch…or something.”

Buffy looked down at herself, noticing she wasn’t wearing a watch. “Ah,” she smiled, taking off her thin bracelet that had three diamonds to decorate it. “I never wear it anyway.”

“Are we ready?” Tara asked shyly, tucking her hair behind her ears.

“Think so,” came Buffy’s answer.

Less than a minute later, Tara was chanting the spell, her eyes slightly wide, and the rest of her was shaking slightly.

After a moment, she took in a sudden breath and almost fell backwards. “I…they aren’t letting access the powers from here…”

“Try again,” Buffy commanded softly with a warm smile. Tara smiled back uneasily and closed her eyes in concentration.

After a moment, a vortex of golden light formed in front of her. “I go in there…I’m coming back out, correct?” She asked.

“Go!” Dawn suddenly yelled, seeing that it was closing up.

Buffy sighed before taking a small leap through.

Everyone else in the room just stood with wide eyes as the vortex disappeared. “She bloody well better come back,” Spike muttered under his unnecessary breath.

---

Buffy stumbled forward as she found herself in an open, golden-lit room. Standing before her were a man and a woman. Both looked pretty much emotionless as they paced around her.

The way the two were circling her made her feel a little defensive, but she didn’t dare go into a fighting stance.

“Hello. You’re one of the two slayers. Buffy.”

Smiling somewhat uneasily, Buffy nodded. “Yeah, and um…you’re those oracle things, right?”

The man and woman locked eyes for no more than a second before they stopped pacing in front of her. “Yes,” the man answered.

“Oh, I brought you…this…” Buffy informed them as she fumbled with the bracelet on her wrist.

“No need,” the woman answered with a somewhat kind tone. At Buffy’s confused tone, she added, “You protect the lower beings. You have accepted your destiny. No gift is needed.”

Buffy smiled. “Well. That’s good, considering I really wasn’t liking the idea of giving this to you.” When she saw their not-so-amused faces, she cleared her throat. “Um, right. I’m here because--”

“We know why you have come,” the female interrupted.

“The vampire. William,” the male started. “You want to know why we gave him back his soul.”

“Wait. You gave him back his soul? That was you guys?”

“Indeed we did.”

“Well…okay, why?” Buffy questioned with narrowed eyes.

“The one who wears the amulet will not walk away from this war. You are not meant to die,” the male explained.

Buffy was raging before she could stop herself. “That isn’t for you to decide! I decided to be the one to wear it!”

“William was given his soul because he is the one that is meant to wear the amulet.”

“I don’t give a damn! This isn’t your choice! Spike wears it and he dies!”

“And if you wear it, than you too would die,” the male tried to reason, never showing emotion.

Buffy tried to keep her breathing in check as she clenched her teeth slightly. “That’s a risk I’m willing to take.”

“It’s not one we are willing to let you take,” the female informed her.

“Besides, what is so wrong with giving the vampire his soul?” The male asked.

“Because then he knows!” Buffy yelled, tears near the surface of her eye. “Then he knows he can wear it! And he will! He’ll be stupid and he’ll wear it!”

“And die a champion,” the male and female finished at the same time.

“Die is the keyword!” The blond slayer fumed.

“You don’t--” The female started to talk, but Buffy quickly interrupted.

“No. You don’t. You don’t understand!” She screamed and turned to pace a little. “What was the damn point of letting me see the future if everything has to happen the same way?” She asked in a small yet demanding voice.

“So you would be prepared to fight and know what was to come. So you could save more lives.”

“That’s all? That’s the entire reason?”

“By giving you those visions a total of forty-five lives will be saved. Not just people you know, but others also.”

Buffy looked down, slightly ashamed that she was getting mad when they had in fact given her the vision for good reasons.

“So that’s it? Spike still has to die?”

“He does.”

The room around Buffy started to fade and spin a little. When she looked up to see why, the oracles were already gone. But she still heard the female’s voice.

“Don’t let this discourage you, Slayer. Not even death shall keep him.”

As the room continued to fade and spin slightly, Buffy tried to figure out what that meant. ‘Not even death shall keep him’?

What was that supposed to mean?

Before she had time to think more about it, she felt two pairs of arms holding her steady on either side.

While trying to get back in the right state of mind, she realized she was back in the living room. Spike was holding one of her arms, and Xander the other. “Thanks,” she said weakly.

Without even looking up, she began to leave the room.

“Um, Buffy?” She heard Dawn’s voice.

Angel continued, “What did the oracles say?”

Buffy let a slow, but very fake, smile form. “They said it’s a gift,” she lied.

“A gift?” Spike questioned, a little skeptical.

Nodding, Buffy continued her lie. “Just a gift. You know, since you’re helping out with the big fight and all…they wanted to give it to you.”

“I’m confused,” Spike informed her. “Shouldn’t I be acting all poor and tortured like Peaches does with his soul?”

“It’s called guilt,” Angel corrected, slightly annoyed.

Buffy looked a little confused herself. “I don’t know…maybe…I don’t know,” she said and shrugged. “But, I’m tired. As in, I’m going to sleep.” She looked at the room full of potentials, her friends, and her sister. Sighing, she was about to turn when Angel spoke up. “Well, then I’ll be leaving town. I guess, you got what you needed, so…”

Buffy smiled, but didn’t move forward. Understanding, Angel just nodded and smiled as he opened the front door and walked out.

Just a few moments later, Buffy sighed again. “Okay, this time, I’m really going to bed,” she informed them.

Just then, the door opened to reveal a smiling Willow. “Hey, guys I’m…” She trailed off seeing the houseful of people. “Sleepover? We’re having a sleepover?”

---Later---

Buffy sat up in her room a few hours later. Willow had been filled in, and the rest of the house was now asleep.

Picking up the amulet, she sighed as her fingers ran over and traced the edges. When she heard a soft knock on her door, she quickly put it under the bed just as Spike walked in.

After softly shutting the door, he took a few steps forward. “Hey, I just…wanted to make sure you were okay.”

Smiling, Buffy nodded, though she knew he was the one who should feel pretty weird about now. He was the one who’d just gotten his soul. “Spike…” When he looked back up at her, she patted the space beside her on the bed. “Stay here with me?” She asked as she moved over to make more room. He looked a little confused but didn’t waste time in walking over and sitting beside her.

As his strong arms hugged her to him, she smiled slightly. “Thanks.”

He replied by placing a soft kiss on the top of her head.

It was about twenty minutes later that she finally closed her eyes. She didn’t want to sleep, but she knew she needed it.

Spike knew that the slayer wasn’t sleeping. He could tell by her breathing patterns. “Buffy?”

“Hmm?”

“Am I going to lose you?” He questioned finally. The tone and volume of his voice made her cringe inwardly. He sounded almost broken and weak. Of course he wouldn’t want to lose her.

How could she answer that though?

Saying yes would mean that he would do everything in his power to wear the amulet himself.

Saying no meant lying to him…making it all the harder when she did die.

So she didn’t answer. He kept waiting, but she wouldn’t let a single word pass her lips.

That was enough answer for him though.

She wasn’t going to make it. She knew she wasn’t going to make it.

Well…not if he could stop her, she couldn’t.
Hanging On by Faith04
“No, you’ve got it all wrong,” Spike almost growled as he watched the army of teenage girls try to get into a fighting stance.
Sighing, the girls let their bodies fall back into a comfortable standing position. “Why isn’t Buffy training us today?” One with brown hair asked.
“She’s got some business to take care of with Red. Now…”
---

“Are you sure about this, Buffy?” Willow asked, her eyes wide.

“I’m positive.”

“It’s very risky…”

“I know. But all you have to do is perform the spell near the end of the big fight.”

“Buffy…if something goes wrong…”

“Nothing will go wrong. I promise.” Buffy gave her friend a reassuring smile.

“Where am I supposed to get the power to do that kind of spell? I just went to this place that helped me control my magic…and now you want me to do this?”

“It won’t harm you, Will. And it won’t hurt me.”

“That’s not the point…I’m powerful. But what you’re asking me to do…where do I get that kind of power?”

“You can do this…and Tara can help you. Together you guys will be more than powerful enough.” When Willow smiled and nodded her agreement, Buffy stood up with her own smile.

“There’s another spell I need you to perform around midnight tonight. When everyone’s asleep.”

Willow’s eyes went wide, but she listened as Buffy explained the second spell that would make the potentials real slayers.

---

“Okay, you guys. Rest up, get ready for the big day tomorrow,” Buffy commanded as the teens settled into their sleeping bags.

“I have a question. Why are we going into the hellmouth? Why are we starting the fight? Can’t we just wait for them to come to us?”

“No,” was the blond slayer’s answer. “We’re not waiting for them to come to us. That’s what gets people killed. If we go in tomorrow, they won’t be expecting us, they won’t be ready. We will.”

“We are not ready,” the potential argued back.

“You are. It’s that kind of attitude that will get you killed,” Buffy said with a strict tone. Backing off, the potential just shook her head and let her head fall back on the pillow.

“And where are you going?” Buffy took her hand off the knob of the front door and turned toward the voice.

“Hey Spike.”

“You didn’t answer my question.”

“I’m just going out.”

“Where?”

“What’s with all the questions?” She asked defensively.

“Why aren’t you answering them?” Spike smirked as Buffy’s resolve turned into a slight pout.

“Patrolling. Happy now?”

“No. It’s ten at night; you have a big battle tomorrow. Most vamps and demons have long skipped town by now. No need to patrol.”

Buffy rolled her eyes, opened the front door, and started walking out. She was only a foot outside when she was grabbed by the shoulders and pushed non-too-gently against the wall of the exterior of the house.

With wide eyes, the slayer looked over at Spike and was about to ask what the hell he was doing. Before she could get a word out, she felt herself even more pinned against the wall as his lips came crashing down on hers in an almost bruising kiss. Spike reached one hand over and pulled the front door closed so the potentials wouldn’t see from inside, never breaking the kiss.

Soon, the brutal kiss turned more soft and caring. Finally pulling back, Spike just looked at the bewildered blond.

“What was that for?”

“Because you look like you’re about to go out and do something stupid.”

“And kissing me was supposed to make me not go?” Her eyebrow rose.

“Well, seeing as how you’re still against the wall, and not gone…” He trailed off with a smirk as Buffy sighed.

“I need to go.”

“Are you coming back?”

“What kind of question is that? Of course I’m coming back,” she assured him.

“I meant…is this stupid thing you’re about to do going to get you killed?”

Sensing his distress, Buffy let out a small sigh and quickly gave him another soft kiss. “No. I’m coming back. There’s something I need to do.”

Breaking free from his grasp, the slayer started off the porch. When she was halfway down the sidewalk, she turned to see that Spike was still facing where she had been standing, shoulders slumped.

Sighing for the millionth time, the slayer set out to do her job.

---

“Let her go, Caleb,” the First/Buffy commanded.

Buffy stood on the other side of the room, holding the scythe. Caleb was seething mad, and didn’t look like he wanted to back down. “I said let her go,” the First repeated more firmly.

Before Caleb had a chance to do anything, Buffy fled, running up the stairs and out of the vineyard.

The slayer hadn’t slowed her pace down until she realized she was plenty safe. Sighing, she was about to revel in her victory when she felt herself being tackled to the ground, making her drop the scythe.

Landing on her front side, she let out a small cry of pain. Buffy had tried getting up but found it pointless since her attacker was sitting on her back, pinning her down.

“You. Are. One. Bloody. Stupid. Chit,” Spike ground out slowly, making Buffy sigh in relief that it wasn’t someone else.

“God, Spike. What’s your problem?” She tried getting up, but he just held her tighter. “Ow!”

“I’m not hurting you,” he said with a roll of his eyes. “My problem is you. You said you weren’t doing anything stupid.”

“No. I said that I was coming back. Not that I wasn’t doing something stupid.”

“Slayer…” He started in a warning tone. “You went to fight Caleb. Alone. All to get that stupid shiney weapon!”

“Hey,” Buffy shouted in her own defense. Before she could say anything else, Spike got off of her and she was being pulled off the ground. She expected him to let her go, but he just held both of her upper arms tightly, so she was facing him. “And for your information, that scythe is really important in this battle!”

“How do you know? Is that something you learned while seeing the future?”

“Yes!”

Suddenly, Spike’s look of anger changed before her eyes to vulnerability. His grip on her arms loosened until he finally let go and backed away.

“Spike?”

“I need you to talk to me Buffy.” She cringed inwardly at how broken his voice sounded. “You know how to win this battle…you know what’s going to happen. But you’re not letting anyone in. You won’t tell me what’s supposed to happen…and I know you’re hiding something.”

“Spike…”

“No. You’re willing to let yourself get killed in this war, and I’m not willing to lose you!”

When she saw the single tear slip from his eye, Buffy’s eyes went wide. Not hesitating, the slayer took a few steps forward and put her arms around him. He didn’t waste a second before hugging her back to him. “Buffy…”

“I won’t die, Spike. I won’t die. We’re going to get through this. Both of us, alive. Trust me, okay?”

Spike just nodded slightly and she smiled as she rested her head on his chest, hugging him tighter. “I love you, Buffy.”

She moved her head back slightly to look at him. “I love you too.”

[i]Oh God…

What if I really don’t make it?[/i]
Let It Go by Faith04
Buffy, Willow, Giles, Spike, and Tara sat alone in the basement of the house, the only place that was empty at the moment.

True to her word, Willow had gotten the supplies ready for the spell to make all the potentials slayers.

“I have to say Buffy…this idea…it’s…”

“Brilliant?” She asked with a toothy grin, remembering what Giles’ remark had been the first time she’d lived through this.

“That it is. How did you come up with this?”

“Well…the scythe is connected to the slayer line. So, if we use its power, we should be able to make it so that each potential ever born…is a slayer. No waiting.”

“Why didn’t someone think of this before?” Spike asked with a smile, which Buffy and the two witches returned.

“Okay, so we’re ready then?” Buffy asked Willow, who looked unsure.

“As long as Tara can help,” she said shyly.

“Willow, you can do this on your own. You need to prove this to yourself, okay? Tara can help you with the other spell.”

“What other spell?” Spike and Giles asked at the same time. The three women in the room cringed inwardly. No one else was supposed to know.

“Nothing important,” Tara spoke up, trying to keep her voice strong. Buffy wanted this spell kept secret, so there was no way she was going to give it away.

Spike and Giles looked unconvinced, but let it go.

“I can do this,” Willow said strongly and went to where they had set the things up.

---

Sunlight streamed through the small openings of the curtains, sending a few slivers of the light throughout the room. Such a beam of light danced across the face of a potential, Celeste.

As she opened her eyes, she stretched out. Slowly, as if on the same mental clock, the other girls in the room opened their eyes. Each girl was met with nine figures standing around the room: Buffy, Giles, Spike, Willow, Tara, Jonathon, Andrew, Anya, and Xander. Dawn, who had decided to bunk with the potentials the night before, slowly sat up and looked concerned.

The eight adults standing around the room looked like they had just been standing there for a while. Waiting.

“Um…what’s wrong?” Celeste asked.

“Nothing,” Buffy said truthfully. She picked up a knife that she had laying on the banister and looked at it for a moment.

Without warning, she threw the knife with all her force toward Celeste, who caught it just before it hit her between the eyes.

“What the hell!?” Dawn yelled, eyes wide at her sister’s behavior.

“I…I caught it?” Celeste asked, still shaky.

“You’re a slayer. You have those reflexes now.”

“Wait…if I’m a slayer…”

“Does that mean Faith died?” Dawn asked suddenly.

“No. Faith didn’t die.” When she saw their confused faces, Buffy explained the spell Willow had done. “So, you’re all slayers. You each have the power to live today. It’s your choice whether or not you embrace it.”

“We-”

The question was interrupted by a knock at the door. Being cautious, the blond slayer went to open it.

“Hey, B. Heard you were havin’ some fun out here. Didn’t think I’d let you do it alone, did ya?”

“Faith?” Buffy looked confused, but cautiously let the brunette slayer in.

“Wow…big sleepover?”

“These are the potentials. Actually, now they’re slayers,” Xander informed her.

“Wha…” Faith asked, looked utterly confused.

“Spike, fill her in on everything. The rest of you.” She scanned her eyes around the room “Get ready. It’s almost time.”

---

Night had finally fallen once again, and Buffy’s stomach was in knots. It was decided that they’d go down there close to sunset so that Spike could run out of the caves without being burnt to bits. The First would never see them coming like that.

“So, you’re sure you know what to do today?” Buffy asked Willow and Tara when they were alone outside, waiting for the rest.

“Positive. It’s actually not that hard of a spell. We just need to crank open that hell portal, and then you do the rest.”

“Great,” Buffy said and turned to the others as they walked out of her house.

“Troops are ready,” Spike said as he walked up to her. “Buffy?”

“Hmm?”

“Can I talk to you for a sec?” He asked, indicating he needed just a moment of privacy. Nodding, Buffy followed him away from the loud group of people.

“What’s up?”

“Giles, Faith, and your friends and I…we were talking.”

Buffy was immediately on the defensive. “Yeah…”

“After this is over. The fight…they…we want you to have a better life. Better than this. There are other slayers now.”

“What are you saying?”

Closing his eye for a brief second, he gave her a sad look. “There’s another hellmouth in Cleveland. When we’re finished here…Giles said he’ll give you and Dawn some money to start a life someplace safe, away from all this.”

“J-just Dawn and me?” Buffy cursed herself inwardly for her faltering voice.

“Well…yeah. Xander and Anya still have their wedding ahead, so they’re gonna want to settle somewhere. The witches still want to help out in Cleveland. Giles is going back to England, try to straighten the council out. Faith and I will hold down things at the other hellmouth just like you have here. You and Dawn though…you could have normal lives.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what he was saying. Anger ignited somewhere inside her and she couldn’t stop it. “I love you!” She yelled out in an accusing tone, causing the group a few yards away to quiet down and look over at the couple. “Is this your way of saying ‘I love you’ now?! By leaving!”

“Hey! You know I love you, Buffy,” he yelled out, just as angry now. “But this isn’t about us. This is about what’s best for you and your sister!”

At that, every feeling that was inside Buffy disappeared. Love, hope, anger, frustration, hate…all of it was gone, leaving her empty.

‘This is about what’s best for you…’

She was so tired of everyone thinking they knew what was best for her, that she couldn’t stand it.

And now, when things were so close to being perfect…Spike had to pull an Angel on her.

“You’re right,” she said, her voice void of all emotion. Spike noticed, for his expression softened a great deal. “Dawn deserves to be happy.”

“So do you,” he replied in a whisper.

Buffy just shook her head sadly, turning around to walk to the group. “Obviously not,” she called over her shoulder, loud enough for only a vampire to hear.

“Are we ready?” She asked the group, her voice flat, but with some of the slayer edge to it. The girls nodded cautiously and everyone was silent as they followed Buffy’s lead.

A/N: Ohhhh….some angst. Hehe. Couldn’t resist putting that there. Anyway, the final battle is in the next chapter. I’ll probably post tomorrow. I’m trying to get back into daily updates. Sorry that I haven’t been. Life’s been in the way. :P

Some of you won’t like how the final battle ends. KEEP IN MIND that there are plenty of chapters after the big battle, so obviously, I’m not going to leave it like it is.

You’ll know what I mean in the next chapter. Review please. If I get lots of pretty ones I’ll update faster. : )