Love Will Find a Way by Kings of Mercia
Summary: A story set in the sometimes seedy world of Rock and Roll………The words to the song ‘Will Love Find A Way are by our Deb, thankyou babe – we love you!
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 42 Completed: Yes Word count: 179238 Read: 52643 Published: 01/08/2005 Updated: 02/08/2005

1. Chapter 1 by Kings of Mercia

2. Chapter 2 by Kings of Mercia

3. Chapter 3 by Kings of Mercia

4. chapter 4 by Kings of Mercia

5. Chapter 5 by Kings of Mercia

6. chapter 6 by Kings of Mercia

7. chapter 7 by Kings of Mercia

8. chapter 8 by Kings of Mercia

9. chapter 9 by Kings of Mercia

10. chapter 10 by Kings of Mercia

11. chapter 11 by Kings of Mercia

12. Chapter 12 by Kings of Mercia

13. chapter 13 by Kings of Mercia

14. chapter 14 by Kings of Mercia

15. chapter 15 by Kings of Mercia

16. Chapter 16 by Kings of Mercia

17. Chapter 17 by Kings of Mercia

18. chapter 18 by Kings of Mercia

19. chapter 19 by Kings of Mercia

20. Chapter 20 by Kings of Mercia

21. Chapter 21A by Kings of Mercia

22. chapter 21B by Kings of Mercia

23. chapter 22 by Kings of Mercia

24. Chapter 23 by Kings of Mercia

25. chapter 24 by Kings of Mercia

26. chapter 23 by Kings of Mercia

27. chapter 26 by Kings of Mercia

28. chapter 27 by Kings of Mercia

29. chapter 28 by Kings of Mercia

30. chapter 29 by Kings of Mercia

31. chapter 30 by Kings of Mercia

32. chapter 31 by Kings of Mercia

33. chapter 32 by Kings of Mercia

34. chapter 33 by Kings of Mercia

35. chapter 34 by Kings of Mercia

36. chapter 35 by Kings of Mercia

37. Chapter 36 by Kings of Mercia

38. chapter 37 by Kings of Mercia

39. chapter 38 by Kings of Mercia

40. chapter 39 by Kings of Mercia

41. Chapter 40 by Kings of Mercia

42. Chapter 41 - And Epilogue by Kings of Mercia

Chapter 1 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 1

The two friends were sitting in what could laughingly be called Buffy’s office, a screened off area of the old cloakroom that was drafty and hardly private, everybody could hear what was said!

Buffy wasn’t really listening to her friend’s excited chatter; she was more intent on reading a report from the social services on one of her more troublesome charges.

“Buffy! I said, it’d be fantastic! Don’t you think, won’t it – huh?”
Buffy read to the end of the paragraph, and then looked at her friend.

“Sorry Will, what’s that?”
Slightly exasperated, Willow said,

“The talent show at the Bronze!” Buffy frowned

“Oh that, huh, you really think so? Coz I heard that that Jonathan What-his-name has got a ‘heavy metal’ band together…they’re going for it, and if the spring dance was anything to go by…”

“The only thing ‘heavy’ about them, is their instruments, they can hardly lift them! Anyway, I think they changed their line-up” Willow joked, and Buffy smiled.

“Still, you’ll be a little light relief then!” Willow continued. Buffy was just about to continue reading the report when it registered with her exactly what her friend had just said…

“S’cuse me – light relief – I don’t-”

“You, your song, Will love find a way”

“What about it?”

“I um…I put your name down for the contest” Willow looked a little sheepish and bit her bottom lip.

“Oh. YOU DID WHAT?” Buffy stood, the report papers fluttered to the floor all around her desk.
Willow jumped up and began gathering the papers up, babbling away.

“Honestly, Buffy, it’s SO good, and you have every chance of winning! The prize for winning the first round is a thousand dollars – and you get to go to LA and everything, and be on TV, the finals of Search for a Star –“

“Hold it right there! I don’t stand a chance of winning!” Buffy sat down, trying to sort the report.

“But you DO!” Willow whined

“I don’t for one plain and simple reason, I’m NOT doing it!”

“But Buffy!”

“Don’t Will, ok? Just don’t! I wrote that song…um…well over a year ago now, Riley’s well gone, and – well I don’t have time for one thing! I’ve reports to sort out” She waved the report at Willow.

“Wrong Buffy, you have ONE report, that’s singular, and you DO have time…we’d go to the Bronze anyway on Friday night – it’s ok, you don’t have to do it” Willow thought she’d try a little psych on her friend…

“Good. Coz I’m not!” Buffy, having sorted the report back into sequence, tapped the bottom of the papers on her desk, and then stapled them together.

“Sorry Buffy. I should have realised that you don’t have the guts” Willow tried to look rueful, all the time studying her friend’s face. Buffy nodded, then snapped her head up.

“What did you say?”

“I said, I should have known that you don’t have the stones. You’d be too chicken. Haven’t got the guts to do anythi-“

“I BEG YOUR PARDON!” Buffy stood up again, so did Willow. Buffy was trying for indignance, but hit lame excuse mode instead………

“I’ve got the stones! I’ve got the guts! I just, well…I just don’t w-want to-“

“It’s ok, it’s ok, Buffy, you don’t have to make excuses, I DO understand” Willow made her way over to the door.

“Where are you going? Lunch isn’t over yet!” Buffy pointed to the unopened sandwiches.

“I’d better be getting back to the campus, I need to see my tutor. You know Buffy, this could be a way out of here for you, if you but know it.”

“But I like it here! – It’s a step up from the Double Meat, anyway!”

“Yes well, just keep on telling yourself that, that you like it here, that you make a difference, I’m sure you’ll convince yourself in the end. See you later, bye”

Without a backward glance, Willow left. Buffy tossed the social services report into her ‘out’ tray, and resting her chin on her hand she thought about what Willow had just said.

She was in a rut all right. The job was…well let’s face it, boring as hell, but at least she didn’t reek of grease every night when she got home. Home…the house.

The dwelling that was haemorrhaging money faster than she could earn it, there always seemed to be something that needed doing, besides the basic bills.

Next thing to go would be the washing machine; it had suddenly developed a worrying squeak. She sighed and toyed with the unopened cheese sandwich. Did she have the nerve to sing in public?

Did she have the stones to sing a song about her feelings, all laid bare for public consumption? Buffy thought back to Willow’s babbling. Didn’t she say that the prize for winning was $1000?………

Buffy swooshed the mascara wand back and forth very quickly in the tube and leaning forward to look closely into her dressing table mirror she applied a light coat to her lashes. Smoothed her lipgloss and fluffed her wispy tendrils of hair by her ears. She took a long look at herself. She had butterflies. Fixing her late mother’s locket around her neck to take off the bareness, she said to her reflection,

“YOU can do this!”
“You CAN do this!”
“You can DO this!”
“You can do THIS!”

The doorbell ringing made her jump, and she grabbed her purse off the bed and ran downstairs to open the door.

“Hi – wow look at you!” Willow said, grinning. Buffy smiled, did a twirl around.

“You like? Stylish but affordable!” Buffy smoothed down the front of the little black spaghetti-strapped dress she’d bought on the way home from work.

“Looks great!”

“Thanks. Are you sure Oz doesn’t mind being my accompanist?” they left the house and Buffy locked up.

“Sure I’m sure. In fact, I asked him before I even mentioned this thing to you!” Buffy grinned and got into Willow’s car.


“Ok, Ok people! Let’s have a little hush now…please…come on you guys…” the compere on stage asked the crowd at the Bronze, after much ‘shushing’ the crowd quietened.

“Ok ladies and gentlemen, for your pleasure and delight, tonight we have the regional heats of Search for a Star!” (The crowd roared)

“All right, quiet you crazy cats! We have a dozen acts for you, and voting will take place at the end on the evening.
First on stage, will you please give a big, Bronze welcome to two lovely young ladies, and they call themselves 1+1 and they are going to give us their rendition of the song, ‘We are Family, ladies and gentlemen, 1+1” the crowd roared, and the two girls stepped up on stage, and began singing.

Buffy sat at a side table with Willow and Oz, sipping a diet soda. The butterflies she’d experienced earlier were now more like raging elephants but she just fixed her mind on that $1000 prize money and how it would pay for the washing machine to be fixed, and cover the phone and the electric bills………

“Break a leg!” Willow whispered as Oz and Buffy made their way to the stage.
Buffy kept her eyes down, and the compere announced them.

“……………I give you, Buffy, singing one of her own compositions, called, ‘Will love find a way’ the lights went down, and a soft spotlight fixed itself on the small blonde. She closed her eyes and swayed to the opening bars Oz played, and then she began to sing………

Everything reminds me
You’re everywhere I see
Couples stroll hand in hand
Once like you and me

Will love find a way
Will love find a way
To bring you home to me
Baby
Will love find a way
And bring you safe home to me

Held in your arms
I bathe in the glow
Please tell me baby
I want to know

Will love find a way
Will love find a way
To bring you home to me
Baby
Will love find a way
And bring you safe home to me

I think of you so often
I love you more each day
I want you to be near me, babe,
But you are far away

Will love find a way
Will love find a way
To bring you home to me
Baby
Will love find a way
To bring you safe home to me

Buffy opened her eyes while Oz played the last few bars of music. The lights went up, and the place erupted! Cheers, screams, shouts ands whistles, Buffy glanced stage left and saw Willow grinning and giving her double thumbs up.

Buffy’s tension broke and wreathed in smiles she and Oz made their way from the stage, people hugging her and slapping her on the back.
The compere tried to get some semblance of order and introduced the final act.

“Ok then ladies and gentlemen…if you want ‘Hard Road’ to win, all shout, now!” there were loud shouts from a table of six lads that were obviously with the band, polite clapping from everybody else.

“Thankyou…all right then next up, lets hear it for Buffy and her song-“ the compere didn’t even get to say the song title, the huge roar, whistles, foot-stomping and cheers that went up left nobody in any doubt, Buffy was the winner.

Willow hugged her friend to her and Buffy felt the tears welling up.
A token gesture was made to the last band as regards voting, but it was pointless really, Buffy had won without a shadow of a doubt.

“Hey, come on…you can’t cry, you’ve got to go and sing it again now, and accept the cheque!” Willow gently brushed the tears off her friend’s cheeks and they hugged again.

“Thanks Will, I’d have never done this without you, you know!”

“Go on, go! Your public awaits!” Willow gently pushed her towards the stage.
Buffy was LA bound………
Chapter 2 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 2



Buffy woke with a start to somebody hammering on the front door and ringing the bell like their life depended on it.



“All right………ALL RIGHT - Jeez where’s the fire!” Buffy leapt out of bed, threw back the curtains and hoisted the window open, poking her head out.



“Hello? Whose there – hello?”

Willow bounded off the porch and onto the front lawn. Shielding her eyes from the sun, Willow called up,



“Buffy! Are you all right? I’ve been trying to ring you all morning!”



“Sorry, ok, I’m coming down…” She closed the window, yawned and stretched, grabbed her robe off the back of the door and made her way downstairs.



“What’s up anyway?” Buffy opened the door and made her way to the kitchen, Willow behind her.



“It’s lunchtime! Oh look, no wonder I couldn’t get through, the phone’s off the hook!” Willow replaced the receiver.



“No – don’t do – oh…too late!” Buffy’s shoulders dropped with a sigh. The phone began to ring

She shuffled into the kitchen, shook the kettle to see if there was enough water in it, and switched it on. Willow joined her.



“Well, aren’t you going to answer it?”

Buffy took two mugs out of the kitchen cupboard.



“You answer it” She closed the fridge door having taken out milk.



“Hello, Buffy Summers residence” Buffy gave Willow a funny grin as she poured the boiling water onto the instant coffee and stirred.



“Um, well I’ll be sure to pass on the message…I will…what did you say your name was? Ok, got that, bye” Willow replaced the receiver, only for it to ring again.



“Hello? Oh. Hi, did you? Well I’m sure Buffy will be very grateful that you voted for her last night…yes, I’ll tell her…ok, bye” Willow put the receiver down again.



“Well, aren’t you little Miss Popul-“ The phone rang, Willow picked it up and said,



“Wrong number!” She pressed the cut-off digits with her finger, and then lay the receiver to the side of the phone.



“Now do you understand? – I didn’t get to bed ‘till after four o clock this morning, and the I had to phone in work and tell them I wouldn’t be in, and since 8.30, it’s not stopped ringing!” Buffy put a mug of coffee in front of her friend. Willow nodded



“Sorry I had to bail out on you last night, but I’d got an early lecture, and I knew those show people wanted to talk to you. Anyway, a Duane Morgan and a Stacey Shaw said they voted for you last night, those were the calls”

Buffy leant against the sink, cupping her coffee mug in both hands, sipping the scalding liquid.



“Whoever they are – and god alone knows how they got my number! Anyway it’s s’ok about you leaving I understand. They’ve given me a whole bunch of stuff to read, a time-table and that”



Willow grinned and hunched her shoulders, giving an excited squeal.



“Gods! This is SO exciting!” Buffy smiled



“Aren’t you excited? I’m excited! I’m all excited, like a……… very excited thing! Like, like…like it was Christmas, except well, you know, I don’t celebrate Christmas, but if I did, I’m sure I’d be this ex-“



“WILLOW! – Breathe!”



“Sorry!”



“Yes, I’m excited. I’m also tired, and I still don’t think it’s sunk in yet”



“So, when do you go to do the show?”



“Next week, but there’s loads of stuff I’ve got to do before then. Rehearsals, run throughs, I had to phone Snyder, tell him I won’t be in – got his snot-rag secretary, Mrs Keogh.





Later that evening at Buffy’s house.







“Will we still do this when you’re rich and famous?” Willow and Buffy were sitting cross-legged on the sofa, eating pineapple pizza straight from the box that was between them.



“Rich…what I wouldn’t give to be rich…!” Buffy sighed



“Hey, chin up! It was a lousy job anyway” Willow commiserated



“I know, but at least it was a job! You should have seen her, standing on my doorstep, with that supercilious, haughty, smug bitch face when she handed me the letter from Snyder. She said, ‘Mr Snyder thinks it’s for the best, and I agree with him, your presence at the school would only be a disruption. We have the welfare of our students to think about’ – I’m not kidding you, I could have hit her!”



Buffy let her head flop against the back of the sofa.



“Well, at least you’ve got that $1000, that will keep you going for a couple of weeks”



“Yeah…”



Two days later



Buffy waited patiently in line at the studio reception desk



“And you are?” A dark haired woman wearing glasses asked her.



“Buffy Summers, I won the Search For a Star, at the Bronze Club on the 12th of this month” the woman checked her list.



“Let me see…ah yes, right, put this security badge on and please sign the book, and again when you leave. Make your way to rehearsal room 4, just follow the blue line along the corridor. There is no smoking in the building what so ever, thankyou and have a nice day”



Buffy moved off and fastened the badge to her top. She did as she was told, and followed the blue line to rehearsal room 4, she went in.



“Good morning…you are?”



“Buffy Summers”



“Right, just a quick run through of do’s and don’ts, ok, do you have a cell phone? If you do, can you lease switch it off. There is no smoking inside the building ……………………………”



“Ok, so do you have sheet music?”



“Um, yes…” Buffy took what Oz had given her out of her bag.



“Right then…looks easy enough. We shan’t be using dancers for you, you’ll be the what we refer to as the ‘quiet spot’ and you’ll be on last but one, with just a spotlight on you” Buffy nodded at the director.



“So, when you’re ready, shall we have a try out?”



“Yes…um, the microphone…it’s a bit high for me could you lower it?”



Buffy sang her song through.



“Great! Are you happy with that, Clive?” The director looked at his soundman, and got the thumbs up.



“Well, I think that’s every- sorry, what?” the director pressed the earpiece he was wearing, obviously listening to somebody.



“Ah, problem. We’re too short”



“Short? I could wear heels” Buffy suggested



“No! Sorry, I mean the song, it’s too short. Everyone’s allowed 3 minutes and forty-five seconds…and you’re coming in at bang on three minutes…” Buffy coloured up at her gaff.



“Yes…yes, ok, we can try that. Buffy, could you sing the last chorus twice do you think, and I can put a few little flourishes in perhaps”



“Sure”



“Ok, lets go again then”…………………



***********





“So come on, tell me – how’d it go?” Willow flopped on Buffy’s sofa without even taking her coat off.



“Good, there were a few little technical hitches – but we ironed them out. I must have sang the song a dozen times at least, and then – listen to this, I went to wardrobe, and I’m going to wear a Vera Wang dress! – I thought that I’d have to buy something but no! And they’ll do my make-up and hair!” Willow grinned.



“Vera Wang eh?”



“Oh, it’s beautiful! All floaty and shades of blue”



“Sounds very pretty”



“Willow, I’ve got a problem”



“What?”



“Well, two problems, to be precise”



“Go on”



“Well, they wanted to film me at work, talking about my job talking about myself you know that little bit at the beginning of the show each contestant shows their day to day lives?”



“And what’s the other problem?”



“Riley”



“Riley? – What’s he got to do with it?”



“I wrote the song about him”



“And?”



“Well, he doesn’t know, does he?”



“So why should he find out now?”



“Coz I told them…I said I wrote it when I was missing my soldier boyfriend”



“Well…doesn’t have to be him! And you haven’t heard from him in – how long?



“Fourteen months”



“Well, just don’t mention his name. If they ask you, say you split up! Go for the sympathy vote!” Buffy smiled and delved into her purse



“Oh, um they gave me these, here you go…two complimentary tickets to the show”



“Wow – brilliant…can I bring Oz?”



“Course!”



The day of the show



Buffy had arrived at the studios at 12.30 as requested. The show would be rehearsed and recorded, just in case of any problems, but would be going out live at 8.00pm. The show would last for an hour, the judges would give their opinions of each act, and then it would be the audience and a general-public phone in to determine the winner.



They would have 40 minutes to phone in their votes, while the national news was on, then the show came back live to reveal the voting and announce the winner, who would do their act again.



The judges were, Anyanka, famous piano-playing singer, whose album ‘Show Stoppers’ was currently number one in the charts,



Suave, sophisticated English actor Wes Price, who was being tipped to be the new ‘Bond’, the acid-tongued Glory Benson, host of Music!Music! and Chart Countdown on satellite TV, Reformed ‘Bad Boy’ now nightclub owner Warren Walsh. And finally writer/director Tara McClay.



Buffy had ‘got around’ the problem of no longer having a job by being videoed gardening, making out it was her hobby. And she just said ‘soldier boyfriend’ not mentioning Riley’s name when asked about why she wrote the song. She was shown the piece and was happy with it.



There were seven acts, two singers, two groups, a comedian, an impressionist and magic act. The other singer was male, and he was going to open the show, then the magic act, then a group, then the comedian. The second half would be the group, then Buffy, and the impressionist was closing the show.



“There…what do you think?”

The hairdresser held up a mirror so Buffy could see the back of her hair.



“It’s lovely, thankyou”



“Right, just pop next door, and Mandy will do your make-up” Buffy got out of the chair and went next door…



“Just a slick of peach gloss, I want to keep the look soft. And don’t worry, I’ve used water-proof mascara” the girl smiled at Buffy.



“Thanks”



“You’re the Will love find a way singer, yes?”



“That’s right”



“I hope you win, it’s a beautiful song” Buffy beamed.



“Thankyou!”



“Well, you know, break a leg!”





Everything ran perfectly. At the side of the stage, Buffy saw the hand of the stage director count down three, two, one, the audience clapping died away and the piano took up the haunting tune.



As luck would have it, Buffy could barely see the audience beyond the first three rows, and sang her song perfectly. She had hardly a trace of nerves now, she’d done it so many times in rehearsals that this was just like another one really.



The audience clapped and cheered, Willow did her famously loud finger-whistle, just at the time the camera panned around to her. She saw this on the monitors above the stage and with a deer-caught-in-the-headlights look of horror sunk down into her seat, turning to look at Oz who was grinning!



Buffy sat in the ‘green room’ with the rest of the acts, they’d all become quite friendly over the last week or so. The last act finished and the judges all gave their opinions. According to them, it was the group Caught in the Act that was the favourites, but Wes Price and Tara McClay preferred Buffy.



News reached the acts that the switchboards had been jammed with thousands of calls, and one act was a clear winner. Buffy was resigned to the fact that it would be the group, and she relaxed completely.

The forty minutes that they had to wait stretched like two hours. The countdown began and the show was back on air.



Buffy was sitting watching the screen. It came to the last three top places.

She was thinking, ‘I’m next, I’m next’



“In third place, with 28, 563 votes, we have that cheeky boy, Dale Dunn” the audience cheered.

Buffy was still thinking, ‘I’m next, I’m next’



“And in second place, with 46, 487 votes, we have Caught in the Act” Buffy looked at the screen, it didn’t register with her, as it was only her left unplaced, she must be the winner. Immediately everybody came over to her to congratulate her, but they all watched the screen first as the compere said,

And with an amazing 89, 985 votes, we have Buffy”



Buffy was floored! She looked so shocked! Everybody was clapping her on the back, hugging and kissing her, and the floor manager came to get her. She started to shake.



“Fantastic girl, you did fantastic come on!” Slightly bewildered Buffy was lead out of the warren of corridors back to the stage. The roar that went up was terrific. Willow was crying/laughing. The compere put his arm around the tiny girl.



“So, Buffy…practically ninety thousand votes – I understand you wrote the song yourself?” Buffy nodded and said a squeaky ‘yes’

She was trying not to cry



“And do you have a recording contract yet?”

She shook her head and whispered,



“Not yet, no”



“Well, I tell you, there are a few record managers backstage who would like to remedy that but first, we must ask you to sing again for us, would you do that?”



“Yes” Buffy went and took her place



“Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the winner of the Search For a Star Grand Final 2004, Buffy, with her song ‘Will Love Find a Way’ – Buffy” the clapping died down and Buffy began to sing again.



Leaning on a pillar watching from the wings was a manager from Aphrodite records, his name was William Carling-Blake, ‘Spike’ to his friends. He knew one thing, he just HAD to have that girl – and not just to give her a recording contract either…………………………
Chapter 3 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 3


Buffy came off stage and was taken to a room all ready for photographs to be taken. After the publicity shots were done, she could join the party.

The free tickets that had been given to act’s guests entitled them to come backstage and join the fun. Spike immediately noticed a pretty redheaded girl looking around the room.

Her companion was somewhat shorter than her, but looked cool and ‘laid back’, taking everything in his stride.

“Can you see her, I can’t see her…’’ Willow whispered to Oz.

“No…hold on, that guy looks like he’s coming towards us’’ Spike came over to them.

“You looking for Buffy?’’

‘’Yes’’

‘’She won’t be long, just having some publicity photographs done.’’

‘’Oh, right, thanks’’ Willow smiled

‘’Come on over to the table, get yourself some food, can I get you a drink? Sorry, I should introduce myself, I’m William Carling-Blake, I represent Aphrodite Records’’ He held out his hand, and both Willow and Oz shook it.

‘’I’m Willow, this is Oz’’

‘’Pleased to met you’’

‘’So, what can I get you two drink?’’

‘’Oh, just a soft drink for me, I’ve got to keep a clear head’’ Willow said

‘’Me too, I’m driving’’ Oz said
Spike went away, and came back with two glasses of ‘Club’ soda.

‘’This do?’’ Spike held up the two glasses of fizzy orange

‘’Fine, thanks’’ the couple took the drinks

‘’So, this friend of yours, she been singing long?’’

Willow reiterated the story to Spike, when a beaming Buffy appeared by their side, to the applause of the room. Putting her drink down, Willow hugged and congratulated her friend, as did Oz.

‘’This is William, he’s from Aphrodite Records’’ Oz said to Buffy, obviously impressed. Spike introduced himself

‘’And you can all call me Spike!’’ Buffy looked into the bluest eyes she’d ever seen, and she swore her heart skipped a beat. As his cool hand clasped her rather warm one, she felt a definite frisson, like a little electric shock run through her.
They chatted all night, and Spike had to take a phonecall, Buffy turned to her friends.

‘’What do you think Will?’’

‘’He’s a dreamboat!’’

‘’Man…Aphrodite Records…I mean, do you KNOW just how big they are?’’ Oz asked.

‘’Well, I’ve heard of them all right, the ‘Mighty Aphrodite’ as they are always called in the papers’’

‘’They have some of the biggest names!’’ Willow said, then she added,

‘’Has he offered you a contract?’’

‘’Well, he’s invited me to the studios tomorrow, to look around, and I can look over a contract, and he said that to prove they’re not trying to rip me off, I can take it to any legal representative of my choosing to look it over before I sign’’

‘’Sounds fair enough to me’’ Oz said, and Willow nodded in agreement.


‘’Boss wants to know, did you get her? Xander asked Spike

‘’Not yet, but don’t worry, we will. I’ve invited her to the studios tomorrow’’

‘’Good. Just as long as ‘Midnight Music’ don’t get her’’

‘’No worries, that pillock Connor O’Neil is too bothered trying to get that crappy group to sign, he hasn’t even noticed her’’

“Crappy group?’’

‘’Yeah, that lot that came second’’

‘’Oh. I thought they were good!’’ Xander said. Spike rolled his eyes and sighed.

‘’You would, THAT’S why you never get trusted to come and do these invitation signings, Xander, they have ‘one-hit-wonder’ written all over them, complete waste of time! Look, I must go, it looks like our little lady is ready to go, bye’’

Spike ended the call and made his way back over to the trio.

‘’Sorry about that, business, you know’’

‘’I understand. We’re going now, it’s been such a long day, and-‘’

‘’I completely understand love. Here’s my card, ring me anytime’’

‘’Um, tomorrow, can you tell me where the studio is exactly?’’

‘’Stupid me!’’ Spike smacked his forehead.

‘’Don’t worry, pet, if you give me your address, I’ll send a car for you.’’ Buffy beamed. Spike produced a small leather bound notebook and gold pen, and Buffy wrote down her address and phone number.

‘’Shall I ask for you, when I get there?’’ She looked straight into his eyes as she handed him both book and pen back

‘’No need love, I’ll be in reception waiting for you, ok – are you going to bring a friend, I’ll need to know because of the security passes?’’ Spike glanced up at Willow

‘’No, Willow’ll have lectures tomorrow, it’ll be just me’’

‘’Right, well, it’s been very nice to meet you’’ Spike shook hands with Willow and Oz, and then he stood in front of Buffy.

‘’Night then pet, it’s been a pleasure to meet you’’ he reached for her hand and placed a soft kiss on the back of it. Buffy swallowed, and hoped he hadn’t noticed her shaking slightly.
She floated to the parking lot!

‘’Wow, Buffy – he’s gorgeous and that Brit accent, ooh!’’ Willow squeezed her friend’s arm as they waited for Oz to bring round the van

‘’Tell me about it!’’ Buffy said, grinning.


*************


Drusilla St John was having yet ANOTHER row with her father. Or rather, he was ranting, she was sitting there, waiting for him to finish.

‘’How could you do this Dru? More importantly, how could you do this to me, after all I’ve done for you, all I’ve spent on you? Treatments and therapies don’t come cheap, I can assure you that!’’

‘’No, father, I’m sorry’’

‘’Sorry? You’re sorry – So am I Dru! Is this anyway to behave in public?’’

Lord Netherbourne threw the tabloid newspaper with its screaming headline

‘LORD’S DAUGHTER IN DRUNKEN ANTI-WAR PROTEST’ at her.

Photographs of her drunken antics, off her face, topless in the Trafalgar Square fountains with five other

‘End the War’ protesters. There were further pictures of them on pages two, three and four, showing them sitting astride the lions, and sticking ‘End the War’ posters around the base of Nelson’s Column.

They’d thrown potassium permanganate crystals into the water fountain so it had turned purple, and washing detergent so that purple foam covered everything.

‘’It wasn’t just me!’’ Dru whined

‘’Well young lady, let’s hope these types that you associate with can pay any fines due, because I’ve finally cut the purse-strings. No more bailing you out, you are on your own!’’

‘’Yes, father’’ Dru kept her eyes downcast, hoping he’d finished his diatribe. No such luck, he continued, and Dru felt like screaming, she had the devil’s own hangover and just wanted to crawl back to bed and hide for a week.

‘’You’re an idler and a drifter, just like your mother, couldn’t pin her down either, like trying to nail jello to the wall she was, and you’re just the same. Well I won’t stand for it any more, you’ve got to start making your own way in the world young lady. I know you’ve had you problems, but your medication is sorted now, isn’t it?……… Drusilla, are you listening to-‘’

‘’Yes, father, I haven’t had any more bouts of my illness for nine months now’’

‘’Good. I’m sorry if you think I’m getting on at you Dru, but I have standing, the Party want me to be deputy leader – I will not have you ruining my chances. I’m stopping your allowance as from today, and I want you to get a job. While you live under my roof, you will abide by my rules, do you understand?’’

‘’Yes father. I’m sorry, can I go now please, I feel sick’’

‘’Yes you may go (Dru stood too quickly, and swayed slightly) and think on what I’ve said!’’ Was her father’s parting shot as she left the room.


*************



‘’Uh…oh god, yes, yes, harder, HARDER, FUCK ME, yes! Ooh yes…that’s it…don’t stop………oh, oh, oh, ooooohhhhh…fuck!’’

‘’And… cut! That’s a wrap, take ten everybody’’ The director moved off set.

Cecily disengaged herself from the guy she’d been bouncing around on for the last half an hour. She wrapped herself in her robe and went to get a cigarette and a drink.

She noticed that she’d got a message on her cell-phone, and read,
‘Does that offer of yours still stand? – I need a place well away from here, ring me, love Dru’

‘’Five minutes Cecily, next scene, it’ll be you and the Master, then the Master and Amy, then Bree will join in ok?’’

‘’Kay Tucker…’’ She dialled Dru’s number

‘’Dru – baby, what have you been up to’’

‘’Don’t ask!’’

‘’No need to sweetheart, I saw it on BBC America…’’

‘’Oh god! My father has had enough of me’’

“He chucked you out?’’

‘’Good as, his outlook is so, so VICTORIAN! I don’t think he ever was a teenager, he went from prep-school straight to middle age. So, can I come and stay with you for a while, I don’t want to be in the same country as him!’’

‘’Sure you can honey, it’ll be quite like old times!’’

‘’Oh thanks Cec! You’re a real friend! I’ll ring you and let you know what flight I’m getting’’

‘’TIME, CECILY’’

‘’Ok love, look, gotta go, I’m on next, bye!’’


************


Spike pulled up in the carpark at Aphrodite records. He wanted to make arrangements for the following day, to book the car and sort out her security pass and contract.

He made his way up to the fourth-floor office. Xander was in, and still working.

‘’Don’t you have a home to go to?’’ Spike asked frown/smiling at his colleague.
Xander just wrinkled his nose.

‘’What?’’

‘’My parents…they are rowing all the time’’

‘’Parents?’’ Spike said in surprise He sat down behind one of the desks and opened up the computer.

‘’I keep meaning to get a place of my own, it’s just…’’ Xander trailed off. Spike tapped away at the keyboard, booking the car for tomorrow, arranging the security pass and getting a standard contract drawn up. He took out his notebook and typed in Buffy’s address.

‘’Just what?’’

’Time, I suppose’’

‘’Bet that’s a bit, well awkward to say the least, when you take a girlfriend back’’

Spike hit the ‘send’ and the info went. He looked up at Xander, who had a rueful look on his face. Spike rolled his eyes and said,

‘’Don’t tell me, you’ve never been able to?’’

‘’I’ve never had a girlfriend to take back! – Don’t you dare tell anyone!’’

Spike had heard the rumours of course, the way Xander followed him around like a lost sheep, the way he hung on his every word…Taking the bull by the horns, Spike said,

‘’Well, is there someone you fancy?’’

‘’Uh huh’’

‘’Well?’’

‘’Promise you won’t tell them?’’

‘’Then how the hell do you think you’re going to get anywhere with them if I don’t?

‘’Coz she’ll knock me back, and I couldn’t bear it!’’

‘’Meanwhile, you sit and pine and never get laid?’’ Xander squirmed.

‘’Ok, it’s Anyanka’’

‘’ANYANKA? Bloody hell!’’ Spike was shocked

‘’Blood hell what? – She’s lovely!’’

‘’She’d eat you for breakfast more like, can’t you fancy somebody…well, sorry to say this, but a bit more in your league? Anyanka’s a woman of the world, she goes for rich, successful types. She was with that film director…what’s-his-name for three years, now she’s with that Giles bloke’’

‘’Giles bloke?’’

‘’That bloke that was in the Rocketeers, now owns The Four Seasons restaurant, does ‘Box Office’ on cable’’

‘’Oh, him. No, they are just friends, they’re not, you know, ‘seeing’ seeing each other’’

‘’Oh? – How do you know?’’

‘’Cordelia told me, he’s in love with somebody else, anyway’’ Spike stood and yawned, stretched.

‘’If you say so. But sorry mate, you need a change of image, and to suddenly win the lottery, if you’re to stand an earthly with her’’

‘’Image? – How do you mean?’’

‘’Well, for one, NOBODY wears Hawaiian shirts anymore, except tourists, Magnum PI, and that bloke that owns that all-you-can-eat fish restaurant by the beach. And he’s Hawaiian!’’ Spike put on his coat. A sudden thought came to him, it would help him with a little problem, and he said,

‘’Are you going to the Sounds Awards?’’

‘’Yes’’

‘’Got a date?’’

‘’No’’

‘’You get yourself all tarted up smart, tux and that, and I’ll get you a date’’ Spike went towards the door. Xander swivelled on his chair.

‘’Who with?’’

‘’Never you mind who with, trust me’’

‘‘She better not be a dog!’’

‘’She won’t be! Anyway, as apposed to what? – No date at all? And they say beggars can’t be choosers…look, she’s very attractive, blonde, young, and you’ll have fun! AND you’ll be in all the society magazines, posing on the red carpet, so mind what I told you, SMART, ok?’’ Spike opened the door to go

‘’Spike’’

‘’Yeah?’’ Xander smiled and said,

‘’You know, thanks’’ Spike grinned.

‘’You’re welcome, mate.’’ He left.

He was just going down in the lift, when his cell-phone rang. He checked to see who it was, and a jolt of pure pleasure ran through him, it was Buffy

‘’Hello, Buffy’’ he practically purred to her. Buffy felt herself shiver with delight.

‘’Oh, is um, is that you, Spike – s-sorry to call so late, I thought I might get to leave you a message. I-I didn’t wake you, did I?’’

‘’No, kitten, you didn’t, I was burning the midnight oil actually, sorting things out for you tomorrow’’

‘’That’s what I’m ringing you about’’ Spike felt his stomach knot, he hoped she hadn’t changed her mind…

‘’What can I do for you then kitten?’’

‘’All it is, um, what time will the car pick me up, you may have already told me, but – well, so much has happened tonight!’’
Spike relaxed, and chuckled.

‘’I’m sorry love, I don’t think I did say, 10am, is that ok with you? – You’ll be here at about 10.30am’’

‘’Fine, right, thanks sorry to be a nuisance’’

‘’No trouble at all pet, I assure you.’’

‘’Right then, 10 o’clock’’

‘’I’ll be there to greet you, night kitten, sweet dreams’’

‘’Night, and thanks’’

‘’You’re welcome’’ Spike ended the call, and smiling to himself he left the building with a spring in his step.
chapter 4 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 4


Drusilla fixed the luggage tag around the handle of her slightly bulging suitcase, and hauled it off the bed to join the other two, plus the canvas grip, the leather holdall and her flight bag that completed the Louis Vuitton set.


Everything she owned was all packed up to start a new life back in LA. She then went to find the housekeeper.

“Mrs Dobbs, could you get one of the stable-boys to carry my suitcases downstairs for me please? – They are far too heavy for me’’

“Certainly Miss Dru. Going on a little holiday are we?’’

“Going to live permanently in LA, Mrs Dobbs’’

‘’Oh…oh I see’’

‘’Would you please give this to my father when he comes back from London, I’d post it, but there’s always a chance he won’t read it for weeks, you know how he is’’ She handed Mrs Dobbs a thick cream envelope.

‘’Certainly, Miss Dru, I will. Forgive me, but he doesn’t know you’re going?’’
Dru sighed

‘’He will do, when he’s read that. I can’t stay Mrs Dobbs, we’re too much alike, too stubborn’’ The housekeeper nodded sadly. She reached out and cupped Dru’s small face.

‘’You’re SO like your dear, late mother’’

‘’I think that’s another reason why we clash. She complied with his every wish, and I don’t, just the opposite, in fact. Anyway, if you’d excuse me, I’ve got a phonecall to make’’ Dru left the kitchen.

She dialled Cecily’s home number in LA

‘Hi, you’ve reached the home of Cecily Adams, or Candy Hunt, depending on your business…(there was a giggle) leave your name and number, and I’ll get back to you ASAP – have a nice day now, bye’ there was a loud ‘beep’ and Dru said

‘’Hi Cec, it’s me, just to let you know that I’ll be on the Virgin Atlantic flight V604 from Heathrow, my flight should get into LA about 6am, bye!’


***********

Spike had his wardrobe doors open, and a rapidly growing pile of clothes lay strewn on his bed. He was talking to himself…

‘Why do I keep these…not as if I’m ever going to wear them again…’ and the black ‘punk’ bondage trousers covered in zips and chains joined the pile on the bed.

‘Red jeans…I mean, what on earth possessed me…Leather trousers? Nope, they squeak, could be embarrassing…A suit? – Nah, be sitting down a lot…come on Spikey-boy…smart but casual…ah…ah ha!’ Spike pulled out a pair of stylish Italian cut black linen pants. He teamed it with a soft cream linen-look shirt and Gucci loafers.

After laying out what he was going to wear, he went and showered. Ten minutes later, dressed and almost ready, he splashed on a little light citrussy cologne, and fastened his Tag watch around his wrist. Checking to see he’d got his cell phone, Spike picked up his jacket, house keys and left for work.


*******

Buffy made herself have some breakfast, she didn’t know what time lunch would be, if at all, and she didn’t want her stomach rumbling half way through the morning, embarrassing her.

She’d decided on her new jeans and a soft blue knitted top, as she knew she looked good in them.

She put her hair up into a neat French pleat, and pulled a wispy fringe and tendrils to soften the look. She glanced at the clock, it was nearly nine o’clock, and the phone rang.

Her heart leapt. What if it was Spike saying that they’d changed their minds and didn’t want to sign her? With her stomach doing back-flips, she answered,

‘’H-Hello?’’

‘’Hi Buffy, just to say good luck, and I asked my dad, he said his legal department will be happy to go over the contract for you’’ Willow said cheerily.

‘’Oh, Will, it’s you. Um, right, thanks, I’ll ring you later, ok, bye’’

‘’See you’’

********


‘’Come on Daddy, come on, wakey, wakey, rise and shine!’’

Lorne called out brightly as he placed a cup of Earl Grey tea on the nightstand, and opened the drapes in Cornelius Sweetly bedroom. Which was a little pointless, as Sweetly, or ‘Daddy’ as he was known to his more intimately acquainted friends, wore a sleep mask due to the fact that his last face-lift, brow lift and Botox had left him with a rather surprised look, and eyelids that wouldn’t close.

He looked spooky enough, with his perma-tan, white bleached teeth and a slightly lopsided grimacing leer, again thanks to the botched face-lift.

One of the more kindly newspaper reports stated he looked like a ‘Siamese cat in a wind tunnel’.

‘’Uh, what time is it?’’

‘’Time you were up, sweet-cheeks’’
Sweet lifted his sleep mask up to his forehead, and turned and reached for the cup of tea he knew that would be there on the nightstand.

Lorne set about getting all Sweet’s medication and vitamins and generally fussing giving ‘Daddy’ the latest news, pertinent to him.

‘’………And the Dow Jones puts your stock up by three and a quarter percent, which is excellent, and CS Adult entertainments are to release two new videos by the end of the week, featuring the Master and Candy Hunt, ratings wise Glory’s show beat WB and Sky 1’s offerings absolutely hands down, we’ve got seven nominations at the Independent Radio Stations awards, and we need to get a release form signed by Angelus O’Connor so he can go to Midnight Music, and um, I think that’s about it’’

‘’What about the girl?’’ Sweet asked gruffly as he sipped his tea.

‘’Girl? What girl, there was no girl here last night, only you, me and-‘’

‘’No, the girl, Betty or whatever her name was, won that show, has she signed to us?’’

‘’Oh, you mean Buffy, the Search For a Star winner. Yes, I believe she’s going to sign for us today’’

‘’You believe? – Whose doing it?’’

‘’Carling-Blake. You know, Spike’’

‘’Good, good, he’s our best. Glad it wasn’t that snivelling little wimp’’
Lorne had quite a soft spot for Xander, so he glossed over the comment.

‘’Well, your baths drawn, and here are your vitamins…’’

Lorne was under no illusion whatsoever that the fistful of tablets taken by Sweet night and morning were all vitamins and ‘legal’ medication. Sweet needed tablets for everything. To wake up, go to sleep, he took Viagra and a whole host of other drugs, some, or rather mostly of the none-prescription variety…cocaine, heroin, uppers, downers, LSD, amyl nitrite, as well as alcohol, it was a miracle that he was still alive really.


********
“Dru…Dru, coo-eee, over here!” Cecily jumped up and down, waving her arms.

Dru slowly pushed the heavy trolley laden with her luggage out into the arrivals lounge, she heard her name being called and she looked around, finally spotting her friend by the barrier.

“Cecily!”

The two friends hugged and Cecily stood back holding her friend by the shoulders at arms length.

“Look at you!”

Cecily hoped she’d managed to hide her shock, to be truthful, Dru looked awful. She’d lost weight for one, I mean, she was never what you could be called big, not by any stretch of the imagination, but well, she’d easily lost at least twenty pounds since Cecily saw her twenty months ago.

“Gods, I can’t believe I’m here!” Dru smiled at her friend.

“Come on, let’s get this stuff into a cab and get home” Cecily helped to push the trolley outside to the Cab bay.

“So, how was the flight?”

“I tried to sleep for most of it, couldn’t, so I ended up watching the in-flight movie on a bloody loop I now know ‘Master and Commander verbatim!……… You know me, I hate flying” Cecily squeezed her arm.

“It’s so great to have you back here, so come on, tell me, how did you wangle it with your father – ‘specially after your little Trafalgar stunt?”

“Actually…he doesn’t know I’m here. Well, I left him a letter, for when he came back from London, but-“

“Dru! He warned you that he’d cut you off without a penny if you so much as set foot in LA again, after last time, why make him even more angry with you?”

Cecily could see the hurt look in Dru’s eyes, and didn’t want her to think she was unwanted.

“Not that you’re not welcome…it’s just that, well-“

“He’s already done it”

“What? Done what?”

“Cut me off. Trafalgar was the last straw. He said I was to get a job. I mean,

“I ask you, whose going to employ me, huh? Everybody knows about the schizophrenia, the rehab, and my brushes with the law. Let’s face it, I’m bad news”

Cecily knew that the last thing Dru needed right now, was to get depressed, so she made light of the matter.

“You can come and work with me, if you want!”

Cecily said rashly, forgetting that she hadn’t actually told her friend what she was doing now…

“You know I can’t dance! I have no sense of rhythm, besides which…I haven’t got tits like you – hey, have you had implants?!”

Dru cast a glance at her companion, and did a double take.

“My god! You have – you’ve had a boob job!”

Dru blurted this out quite loudly, causing several people to turn and look in their direction. Cecily gripped her coat closed tightly, and with her head down, they made their way outside.

“Um, yeah, look when we get home, I’ve got something to tell-“

“Can we order pizza, and sit and talk?”

“Sure. I’ve got so much to tell you”

Cecily said, as she unloaded the trolley of luggage. The cab driver helped her stash the cases, and they left for Cecily’s home.


*******

Spike pressed his intercom button, and spoke

“Cordelia, have you got the running order for Buffy Summers please?”

“I’ll bring it in right now” A minute later, Cordelia knocked and entered, carrying a sheaf of papers.

“Right, all according if she signs with us, you can give her the tour, have lunch, and then from 2PM she’s due for an interview with ‘Teen’ magazine, then she can discuss songs for her forth-coming album, Sweetly will be in later, so disappear before five o’clock, else I’ll have to call you back in, you know what he’s like if he’s kept waiting”

Spike was reading through the sheets, and he nodded.

“Ok Cordelia, thanks”

“Right. Anything else?” Cordelia asked. Spike thought, and said,

“No, I don’t think – oh yes, sorry, would you re-write Harmony’s contract, putting Xander as her manager please, but say nothing to either of them for the moment” Cordelia smiled and nodded

“She’s been leaving messages all over the building for you!”

“Tell me about it…look at this” Spike held up his cell-phone for Cordy to read.

“Eighteen messages!” Cordelia gasped


“And that’s only since last thing Monday night!”

“Good grief, the girl’s got it bad for you!”

“I took her to a corporate party, I ignored her for…two thirds of the night, I get somebody else to take her home, and she STILL insists to all and sundry that we had a wonderful date, I mean, what am I to do?”

“Pass her over to Xander?” Cordelia said with a grin

“Exactly! But remember, not a word!” Spike asked

“Not a word, my lips are sealed, promise…it’s twenty-five passed, that new girl will be here any minute won’t she?”
Spike looked at his watch

“Hell, yes…where did I –thankyou!”

Spike took the security pass off Cordelia, and went down to reception to wait for his (hopefully) new charge.

***********


“You do WHAT!” Dru was so shocked, that she dropped her slice of pizza back onto her plate.

“I um…star in adult movies…it was sort of a natural progression really. I enjoyed the stripping and the pole-dancing, and the Lap-dancing club was one of the best - Saturday nights I could make $1000 in tips alone. But, well, I’ve got a good body, and I love sex, so fucking for money is a great job for me – how do you think I afforded to buy this place?”

“YOU OWN THIS HOUSE?” Dru was incredulous.

“Listen honey, how else am I gonna afford to buy a luxury six-bedroomed beach-front like this, money doesn’t grown on trees!”

“But, you OWN this house?” Cecily smiled and nodded

“Yup…have done for nigh on twelve months now”

“Bloody hell…so, what do you do? – I mean, I know what you do, but-“

“Wanna watch some?”

Cecily jumped up and went to the wall cabinet, opened it up to reveal hundreds of neatly stacked DVD cases.

“Um…let me see…oh this is a good one, ‘Shaving Pte Ryan’ or um…this is another good one for beginners…Double Trouble!”

Cecily put the DVD into the player, and pointed the remote at the TV. Dru sat there dumbfounded for forty minutes. Cecily went off to get them a drink, and when she came back, Dru was looking at the screen, her head held at a funny angle, with the picture on ‘hold’

“What are you doing?”

Cecily came and sat on the sofa, putting two glasses of wine on the coffee table.

“I can’t make it out…how come he’s got three legs?”

“Coz there’s two guys, silly, look, see? – There’s the one guy’s legs, that’s me, and the other guy is behind, it’s a double penetration” Dru’s eyes were about ready to pop!

“You should see the next bit, come and sit back here, I’ll run this bit on a little…now, watch this bit, watch, watch…”

Dru watched in wide-eyed wonder as a very well endowed bloke wanked himself off all over Cecily’s face and breasts, then massaged his come into her skin, and dipping his fingers into her mouth, before pushing three up inside her, while sucking her nipples.

“He’s a lovely bloke he is…doesn’t speak a word of English mind, but he always delivers the goods, and the come shots he does are second to none…ooh, what
I wouldn’t give for him to be here right now, I could do with a really decent fuck, I’ve been doing oral for the past two days”

Dru had forgotten just how open and forthright Cecily could be…perhaps even never this open and forthright… Watching herself being fingered on screen,

Cecily’s hand went to her crotch, and she shoved the little lace-edged scrap of silk aside to rub her moist pussy lips.

Her head rolled back against the sofa and she groaned.

“Re-remember, when we were at St Hilda’s…I hated that boarding school…you used to do this to me…remember, babe, huh?”

Her fingers rubbed a little harder, and she slipped two fingers inside her hot wet pussy. Dru felt shocked, hot, embarrassed, and more than a little turned on

“I need a drink!”

“Wine’s there…oh god, that’s good!”

Cecily rubbed her clit with her thumb, bucking her hips up to push her fingers in deeper.

“But I can’t drink alcohol any-oh, fuck it!” Dru drained both her glass and Cecily’s, poured more and drank that down too.

“Dru…kiss me…please!”

Cecily begged, and with her free hand she tried to open her top. Dru felt suddenly giddy from the wine, and leaned forward and undid the buttons on her friend’s blouse.

She cupped the naked breasts, thumbing the nipples to a hard peaks, taking each one in turn and giving it a firm suck, before kissing up Cecily’s throat and up to her parted lips.

Dru slipped her hand down, and she too slid two fingers into her companion, while French kissing her.

Cecily tore her mouth away to shout out her climax, bucking and writhing until they landed on the floor in a heap, giggling.

Dru withdrew her fingers and sucked them. Cecily lay sprawled, but slowly reached for Dru’s leg, she ran her hand up her thigh, and when Dru didn’t stop her, in fact she pulled up her skirt and spread her legs wider, so Cecily sat up and then crawled over to her, kissing passionately. Cecily broke the kiss

“Sit on the sofa”

Dru did as she was told, and pushing her skirt high up on her thighs, she then lifted up so Cecily could remove her panties.

She tossed them over her shoulder, and then buried her head between Dru’s damp and sticky thighs.

Arching her hips towards Cecily, Dru cried out, with pleasure as she felt her friend’s tongue paint up and down her labia with long wet strokes.

Slipping her tongue between the wet folds, Cecily swiped it very fast back and forth over the slightly protruding nub of her clit, making Dru buck and squeal.

“Hmm, that good babe?”

Cecily slowly slid first one, then two fingers inside Dru, who arched her back, thrusting her hips towards her friend’s hand.

“Yes, oh god……… yeah!” Cecily leaned forward again, latching onto the protruding clit, sucking and flicking it until Dru had a long hard orgasm, thrashing about and almost screaming with ecstasy.

She flopped back against the sofa back, boneless, panting; her head was spinning, not just from the wine either.

“Come on…come with me – forget about your room for tonight, you’re in my bed tonight…”

Cecily hauled Dru up off the sofa, and giggling like two schoolgirls they made their way upstairs, only stopping en route to grab more wine.


*********


The car drew up and the driver got out and opened the door for Buffy.

She got out, and looked up at the impressive building, walked up the steps.

The doorman opened the door for her and she smiled and thanked him, and she looked over to the reception desk. Her stomach back-flipped when she saw Spike waiting for her as promised. He beamed at her.

“Well, here you are then, are you ok? Get much sleep – you look wonderful!”

She blushed and babbled,

“A little! I’ve had so many notes and letters pushed through my door, I spent two hours reading them! And my telephone answer machine had used up the fifteen minutes of message tape – so I don’t know who’s called me – the whole world and his wife I think!”

“Just sign the book please love, that way in case of an emergency we can tell whose in the building”

Buffy did as she was told, and then fixed the ‘visitors pass’ onto her jumper.

“Right, if you’d like to follow me, I thought we could go have a coffee, look over a contract, I could give you an outline of what will happen in the next few weeks, and then take it from there, ok?”
Buffy nodded and said,

“Fine’’

They walked to the lift Spike pressed and they waited to go up to Spike’s office.
Chapter 5 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 5


“And off air in five, four, three, two, one – ok everybody – that’s a wrap.”

The director pulled off his headphones, and Giles stood up from his canvas ‘Directors’ chair and picked up his running notes. Everybody went about their duties in the studio, moving the chair and desk, autocue, etc.

Giles was going to go straight to his restaurant. Who should be walking down the corridor towards him, was Anyanka.

“Anya, darling, how are you?” he kissed her on both cheeks.

“Fine. I knew you’d be here today; I’ve just done a session for Glory, I thought I’d drop by, say hi. So, how’s the world with you? Heard from Jenny?”

“She’s been in New York this last two weeks, she’s phoned me twice, and emailed me”

“So, things are looking up for you two then?”
Anya linked her arm though Giles’ as they continued down the corridor.

“That’s just it, I don’t know. It was all about work. Every time I try and, well, talk none-work related stuff, she sort of glosses over it and goes straight back to business…”

“Want me to talk to her for you?”

Giles nearly shuddered at the thought. Anya was a good person, a very good person, but, she wasn’t known for her tact and diplomacy, called a spade a shovel, and hit you right between the eyes with what she thought.

“NO! Sorry, um no…I don’t think it would do any good…”

“Don’t know until I try!”

“Look, come and have lunch”

“What here?”

“No, at the ‘Winds’”

“Can’t. I’m doing a radio interview this afternoon, I’ve won an Indie Radio Award, but shush, I’m not supposed to know”

“Dinner then, tonight”

“Great…about 9.30? – Give me chance to do stuff first”

“Great, see you later then, bye”

*********


The lift doors slid silently open, and Spike, ever the gentleman held his arm out indicating Buffy to go first.

She smiled and did so. Just as the doors were closing, his cell phone beeped to indicate he’d got a text message. He glanced at the name an immediately deleted it.

Buffy watched the numbers above the doors, 2…3…4. The doors opened and Buffy walked out into a wide carpeted corridor, the walls lined with framed photographs of all the stars ever signed with the company.

There were lots of doors to various rooms and pot plants dotted around.

“Just down to the right, very bottom of the cor-“ Spike was indicating where they had to go, when a door flew open and a loud high-pitched squeal had Spike closing his eyes and wincing.

“BLONDIE BEAR! There you are! Don’t you EVER answer your messages?”

Buffy could have sworn she heard Spike mutter an ‘oh shit’ under his breath.

A blonde girl, dressed in thigh length black boots, a very short, low cut, red ‘Santa’ dress trimmed with white fur, with hat to match complete with white pompom on the end of it.

She was covered in glitter and fake snow, which fell onto the carpet as she walked towards them. Spike looked irritated beyond belief, and said quietly to Buffy,

“Excuse me for a moment, I’m sorry about this”

“It’s ok…I’ll um…look at the photographs” She walked off to diplomatically be out of earshot. Spike smiled and nodded, his smile leaving his face when he looked at the source of his annoyance.

“My widdle Spikey been ignoring his Harmony!” She ‘walked’ her fingers up his chest.

“Harmony, not now, can’t you see I’m busy?” Spike took her hand off him, and dusted the glitter off his shirt.

“But I’ve left you hundreds and hundreds of messages! And you don’t call!”

Buffy suddenly realised just who this was! Harmony! She tried not to appear star-struck, and stared at a photo.

“Look, what is it that you want, huh? Can’t Cordelia sort it out for you?”

Spike asked, the irritation clearly evident in his voice. Harmony looked all sick- kicked puppy, and pouting.

“But my little lamb…when can I see you?”

“What for?”

“I thought, that you could take me to the Indie Radio Awards”

“Did you now? Well, you thought wrong, it’s invitation to award winners only”

“But I’m up for best female singer!”

“No, Anyanka’s won it.”

“WHAT! Oh!” Harmony’s face creased, and she said in a tearful voice,

“I wanted to win that!” She bobbed her knees once, as would a spoilt child!

“Well, I’m sorry Harmony, but that’s the way it is, oh, and you don’t know that, by the way”

“What?”

“That it’s Anyanka that’s won. Now look, I’m extremely busy, so PLEASE stop calling and leaving messages for me, I haven’t the time.

In fact I was thinking, I’m far too busy for you these days, so I’ll get Xander Harris to take over as your manager, I’ll have Cordelia type up a contract straight away, now I must go” Spike turned away from the shocked blonde girl, and touched Buffy’s arm

“This way, love”

“Oh…right”
Buffy quickly glanced at a very sad looking Harmony

“But Blondie Bear! What about US!” Without so much as a backwards glance, Spike called out,

“Harmony, there IS no us, there never was”

And turned the corner out of sight. A very sad Harmony trudged her way back to studio 1 to start the video for her Christmas song, ‘Santa’s Sleigh’

“I’m sorry about that Buffy. Harmony gets…delusional.

She’s only young, I had to take her to a corporate party once, I was so busy ‘net-working’ I ignored her most of the evening, and in the end, I had to get somebody else to take her home, and she STILL reckons it was a ‘date! I’ve had to be cruel to be kind – Um here we are’’

Spike opened a door and allowed Buffy to go in first.

Buffy looked around the spacious office. It had a dark grey carpet, two big black leather sofas and a huge mahogany desk with leather swivel chair. The walls were a pale minty green, cool and relaxing. By the door was a water-cooler, and a unit with coffee maker and cups.

“Coffee – take a seat”

“Um, love some, thanks”

“How’d you take it?”

“Cream, no sugar, thanks” Buffy said, perching on one of the sofa’s. She briefly wondered why Spike had explained about Harmony…

“There you go” Buffy accepted the coffee from Spike, when there was a knock at the door.

“Yes?”

Cordelia Chase came in, carrying papers. She smiled and said ‘hello’ to Buffy, before handing Spike the documents.

“Cordelia, this is Buffy, winner of the-“

“I know! Search for a Star – I voted for you!” Cordelia smiled at Buffy
Buffy blushed and said,

“Oh, thanks-thankyou!”

“What? - You mean you were watching a RIVAL show?” Spike asked grinning

“Why, who was on – oh, the ‘Acid Queen’ – I ALWAYS give Glory Benson a wide berth, she’s so…un-necessarily bitchy!” Spike grinned again and initialled several sheets of paper.

“Oh, and I’ve just had ‘the encounter’ with Harmony, and given her the good news that I’m no longer her manager, have you done that contract as I asked?”

“On your desk”

“Thanks love, you’re a star…remind me to ask Sweet to give you a raise!” Spike grinned and winked at the dark haired beauty who left grinning, saying,

“That’ll be the day, bye then, see you later” Buffy said ‘bye’.

“Here you go, this is the standard contract, three album deal, the usual percentage royalties cut, plus we give an extra deal on merchandizing, which you won’t find with any other company, well, not as generous anyway”

Spike handed Buffy several sheets of paper to peruse at her leisure.

“Sorry, merchandizing?” Buffy quizzed

“Tee shirts, Dolls, video’s, posters, calendars that sort of thing”

“Oh. Right, stupid me!”

Buffy felt embarrassed at her idiocy, and her cheeks flamed.

Spike poured himself coffee, and came and sat by her. Buffy could smell his cologne, and she felt all tingly as he was in such close proximity to her. She bet he could hear her heart thumping!

“Um, can I ask another dumb question?”

“Another? – You haven’t asked one yet!” He smiled and sipped his coffee.

“Ask away, pet”

“That girl, Harmony, I mean Christmas? It’s only mid-August now, so why would she be doing Christmas stuff now?”

“Well to be truthful, if we were talking about you, say you decide to sign with us, which I hope you do, by the way, we’re even pushing it a bit fine as regards time.

You need to get established, get your pretty face into the magazines, newspapers and on TV, you need airplay, then we’d put out an album for the Christmas market.

But songs have to be written, rehearsed, recorded, doesn’t happen overnight”

Buffy nodded slowly, course, it made sense. Spike continued,

“Harmony is a well-established singer, having been around for a couple of years now, but she’s doing a tour, she’ll be half way through a European tour come early October, which is about the time we’d normally start operations for the Christmas market.

Spike leaned forward and put his empty cup on the low coffee table in front of them, and his knee brushed hers, and he made no move to shift it.
He sat back, and smiled,

“So, tell me about yourself”
Buffy smiled and put her empty cup next to his on the table.

“Well, what can I say…a fortnight ago I was a school counsellor, then I won a talent show at our local night spot, then I was on TV!”

“So, what does your boyfriend think of all this?” This was Spike’s oh-so-subtle way of finding out if this delightful little lady was taken…he hoped not, as he didn’t see any evidence last night at the show, but then, the song was about her missing her soldier boyfriend, so he could be away…

“Boyfriend? – No, I um, I haven’t got one”

“No – oh, you do surprise me, beauty like you. I thought they’d be queuing up around the block for you!” Buffy blushed and looked at her hands folded in her lap.

“Now I’ve embarrassed you, I’m sorry”

“No…well, it’s ok” The telephone on the desk began to ring.

“Excuse me, this must be important”

“Sure” While Spike went to deal with his call, Buffy picked up the contract and began to read.

***********



Drusilla woke with a bad taste in her mouth, a thumping headache, and feeling quite sore ‘down below’.
Disorientated she sat up suddenly and looked around the unfamiliar surroundings.

Her head swam. She put her hand down to lever herself up off the bed when her fingers closed around something hard and round, which suddenly buzzed.

She jumped and looked down and saw it was a vibrator, a foot away from it was a soft dildo. She let go of the vibrator and it stopped buzzing. On the nightstand propped up against the clock-radio was a folded piece of paper with her name on it.

‘Dear Dru – Gone to work, make yourself at home, be back around three this afternoon. What a night! See you later, love Cec XX

She was trying to think, but her brain was like cotton wool. She needed the toilet, and getting out of bed, she kicked an empty wine bottle.

There was also an empty Scotch bottle by the waste-paper basket. She felt sick and shaky, and just about made it to the bathroom in time to throw up in the sink.

Rinsing her mouth, she raised her head and looked into the mirror. She looked very pale, with dark circles under her eyes. An urgent thought came to her, ‘medication’. She needed her purse, where the hell had she put it?

********

“Sorry about that pet, but you don’t put off the ‘big boss’!”

Spike came over and stood in front of her. Buffy smiled and said she understood. She was holding the contract.

“If you get that looked at, and could get back to us ASAP, I’d be very grateful”

“I don’t need it looked at, I trust you” Spike smiled at her

“Oh, um, oh, well that’s great! – Well, if you want, we can sign now, and I can show you what’s in store for you” Buffy nodded.

“Ok, we’ll need two witnesses, Cordy can be one, um…” Spike opened his office door, and called to one of the ‘messengers’, a group of two-dozen people who roamed the offices wearing hands-free head sets that would run messages, call taxi’s, order flowers, fetch sandwiches and do all manner of useful things.


“You’ll do, I need you to witness a contract signing” the girl came into the office, followed by Cordelia.

“Um, sorry, could you give us a moment please, I’ll call you” The two nodded and waited by Cordelia’s desk.

“Buffy, I just want to let you know what you’ve let yourself in for”
She could see he was being open and honest with her, and she frown/smiled and said,

“I’m sorry, I don’t-“

“Before you sign I must tell you this, for the next few months, your feet won’t touch the ground, you’ll be tired, you’ll be sick to death of singing your song dozens of times a week, answering the same questions over and over, each time you’ll have to make it seem like you’ve never been asked that question before.

You’ll wake up in hotel rooms, not even being able to remember what State or city you’re in. Do you think you could cope?”

“I – I don’t know, I think so, I’d like to hope so”

“I’ll help you in any way I can” Buffy smiled

“So, still want to go through with it?

“Is it all bad?” Buffy asked, a little worried. Spike smiled,

“No. Once you’re established, you get to travel, see places you’ve only ever dreamed of, meet famous people, and then, there’s the money of course”

“Gimme that pen!” Buffy joked, and they both giggled. Spike called Cordelia and the messenger in to witness the signatures, giving a copy of the contract to Cordelia to put on file, and a copy for Buffy herself.

She handed Spike his pen back

“Right, so what happens now?”

“Now little lady, your feet don’t touch the ground!”
chapter 6 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 6

“Excuse me sir, I’m sorry to trouble you” the young waitress looked a little sheepish, but Giles put his wine glass down and smiled at the girl.

“Yes Molly, what can I do for you?” There was a crashing sound and a tinkle of glasses, and a roar of laughter went up. Giles threw down his napkin, and said to Anya,

“Excuse me a minute”

“Sure”

“It’s Rack, and his crowd, sir, they’re being a bit rowdy, we’ve already had one complaint from other diners” Molly explained.

Giles said he’d sort it, and went over to their table, and in true professional manner, he sorted things.

The rowdy crowd finished their drinks and left.

“Molly, who was it complaining, are they still here?”

“Couple in the corner, sir”
Giles went over to them

“I’m very sorry that you’ve had your meal interrupted, and I’d like to offer you either a bottle of Champagne or a meal for two with our compliments as by way of recompense”

The couple thanked him and said they’d have the meal for two, and Giles said he’d give them some tickets.

“Molly, give those two free meal tickets, and charge Rack’s bill another $100” the waitress nodded.
When Giles got back to the table, Anya had her wrap on and was ready to leave.

“Going already?”

“Sorry, but I’ve got an early start in the morning, I’m going to ‘Daddy’s’ Swiss hide-away for a few days”

“Lucky old you…come on, I’ll walk you to the door” As they neared the front of the restaurant, they could see two police cars arrive, sirens blaring, blue lights flashing.

“Oh god, what now? – Stay there An, I’ll go see what the trouble is” Giles went outside. Two minutes later, he came back.

“Seems Rack punched a paparazzi – started a brawl!”

“Good for him! I’ll go out the back way then, if you don’t mind, I don’t want to be associated with that. I’ll phone Jenny for you, just casually, I know, I promised – I’ll be subtle”

Giles nodded and kissed Anya, and she left.

*******

“And this is one of the recording suites, we have a dozen here, and another ten in our studios in Burbank.”

“When will I be doing my song?” Buffy asked as they left the room and carried on down the corridor.

“Tonight with any luck, you’ll begin rehearsals after lunch. Excited?” Spike asked

“Nervous!”

“Silly thing, you’ll be fine. In fact…want to know a bit of juicy info?”
Spike had a gleam in his eye that made Buffy’s stomach flip-flop, and she nodded.

“Well, ABC Studios, where you did the show has been totally inundated with phone calls wanting to know where and when they can get your single…oh, thankyou”

Spike took a piece of paper handed to him by a messenger, read it.

“And – listen to this, we have Darla Delaney from ‘Teen’ magazine here right now, she’s keen to do an interview with you”

“With me?” Buffy had a deer-caught-in-the-headlights look

“Yes with you! Look, don’t worry. Tell you what, want me to be there with you? – We could do it all informally – over lunch if you like”

“Please” Buffy felt very grateful. Spike reached for her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

“Just be yourself, act natural, and you’ll be fine, ok?” he gave her hand another little squeeze. Buffy nodded, smiled and squeezed right back…


********

“Well, Daddy wants to know, any news?” Lorne asked

“Is he there, can I speak to him?” Cordelia asked

“Sorry, Sweetness, he’s got the doctor with him at the moment, drops for his dry eyes, you know they wont close properly!”
Cordelia shuddered

“Don’t! He gives me the creeps enough!”

“Now Sugar-plum, remember who pays the wages!” Lorne gently admonished her.
“I know. Anyway, relax. Good news, signed, sealed delivered, she’s ours!”

“Thankyou Blossom, speak later” Lorne put the phone down and went to prepare his lord and master’s smoothie, to give him along with the good news that Buffy had signed to Aphrodite.

********


“It’s ok, you don’t have to whisper, the booths are sound-proofed. They can only hear you down there if you hold down this button and speak into the microphone” Spike explained to Buffy.

The booth was tiny, so Buffy had to stand very close to Spike.

Down in the studio, Harmony was gyrating in front of a ‘bluescreen’, singing her song. Above her behind the screen standing on stepladders were two guys gently shaking fake snow down on her.

‘Santa’s on his way,
Sitting on his sleigh…
Children all around the world,
Waiting for Christmas Day!’

The bouncy pop tune had more than a passing resemblance to ‘Jingle Bells’ complete with tinkling sleigh-bells and a soundtrack of children laughing and playing.

Suddenly for real in the studio ten children ran on set, dressed in fleeces, with scarves, hats and gloves began to play ‘snowballs’ and then they knelt around in front of Harmony and joined in with the chorus, heads swaying from side to side, bright smiles on their faces.

One of the guys shaking the snow down suddenly sneezed, sending down the complete boxful of ‘snow’, knocking Harmony’s hat askew, and putting her off singing.

The recording engineer immediately leaned forward, and irritably pressed the button

“Cut! Cut! For gods sake…am I surrounded by fucking idiots?”

“Hey, no swearing in front of the children!” Harmony glared towards the blacked-out booth put her hands over the nearest child’s ears.
The engineer looked at Spike and said,

“Two hours…two hours, that’s all, and I’m already sick to fucking death of that song!”
Spike grinned, and nodded.

“Come on, let’s go up to the café on the sixth floor and meet Darla, eh?” Buffy nodded and followed him out.

“Um Spike, I need the er, rest room?”

“Oh right, come on then, just down this corridor, on the left, door marked ‘private’ through there”

Buffy pushed opened the door marked private, and then saw two doors, she went into the ladies. It was clean and bright. She went into the first cubicle and closed the door, she was just about to undo her jeans when she heard a distinctly male groan. Shocked, Buffy held her breath.

“Oh, baby…yeah…oh yeah…suck harder…”

Buffy’s eyes bugged and she silently bent down and looked under the side of the cubicle, she could see a pair of scruffy boots, with pants sagged around them, standing by the toilet, and a girl’s knees and feet!

Buffy stood up – what was she going to do – they’d hear her if she used the toilet…they obviously were too engrossed in what they were doing to have heard her come in, but…

“Fuck, mind the teeth girl! Oh yes, just like that…harder…oh fuck yes!”

Buffy grinned – this was rock and roll! She had to bite the back of her hand to stop from giggling…then she thought, damn it!

She was bursting to go, so she flushed the loo first! She flushed again, and she could hear the man obviously climaxing…

“Yeah, oh fuck, don’t stop babe, harder, yeah, yeah, yeah, YES, ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh, ooooohhhhh, ooohh! Oh babe!”

Buffy biting her bottom lip, opened the door and went over to the sinks, looking at the end cubicle in the mirror.

To her shock and amazement, the door opened, and out came a girl with long blonde hair and guy whom she recognised as Rack, lead singer of the heavy metal band, Noiz.

The girl didn’t even acknowledge Buffy’s presence, and walked straight passed her, but Rack looked in the mirror at her and winked, grinned and said,

“All right, darlin’?” And followed the girl out! Buffy dried her hands and also left.

Spike was on his cell phone when she came out, so she hung back to give him some privacy.

Spike saw her and beckoned her over.

“Here she is, you tell her, Buffy, it’s Cordelia” Buffy took the phone off Spike

“Hello”

“Buffy, we’ve just had a very special request, nothing like this has ever happened before, apparently the combined American Forces Radio have been swamped with requests for your song, seems like it’s struck a chord with families away from their loved ones!”

“Really, wow!”

“We’ve got an advanced order for half a million copies!” Buffy was open-mouthed with surprise! Spike took his phone.

“It’s ok Cordy, I think she’s a little dumb-struck!…Yes, ok, will do, bye!

Well babe, that’s brilliant news, isn’t it – you’ve already guaranteed yourself at least a gold disc, and you haven’t even recorded the song yet! Come on, this way, I think you’d better come and sit down!”

Buffy followed Spike to the lifts, and they went down to meet Darla Delaney.


************


“When will you be back in LA then?” Anya asked Jenny

“Friday, all being well, I’ll be back for the Radio Awards, will you be there?”

“Yes and no. I’ve done my acceptance speech and thankyou to camera, but I’ll be in Switzerland until Sunday”

“You’ve won then?”

“Yes, Best female singer, but don’t, you know, let it out, not yet”

“I won’t, but thanks for the info, means I can get copy done in advance … anymore?”

“For a price!”

“Anya!”

“Hold on, you don’t know what the price is yet!”

“Go on!”

“Go on a date with Rupert”

“Rupert Giles?”

“How many other Ruperts do you know?”

“None…I’m not sure he likes me”

“Not sure, well I am! I’m not kidding you, I had dinner with him the other night, and all he talked about was you!”

“You had dinner with him?”

“We’re old friends…he was good to me when I broke up with Sven.

He’s been crazy about you for ages, tell you what, you can stay at my place while I’m away, I’ll leave the keys with him for you to collect, take it from there”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive”

“Ok, great”

“So, what’s the gossip in New York, New York, huh?……………………”

“You were going to tell me other winners…”

*********

“So, what inspired you to write the song?”

Darla asked, as she de-constructed her grilled chicken wrap.

Buffy sipped her water, and played with the spoon that came with her low-fat yoghurt.

“I was dating a solider at the time, and he’d been away on manoeuvres for a few months…did a lot of time sitting in my room, writing letters, keeping a diary, generally just waiting to hear from him”

“It was a friend that put you up for the show, is that right?”

“Yes, Willow. We’ve been friends since junior high, when we moved to Sunnydale! I could have killed her at first. I never believed I would win………”

Every so often, Buffy glanced at Spike, and he’d nod or smile in encouragement.

They chatted for a good hour, Darla asking the standard, what’s your favourite colour/band/food/pass-time etc, then she left, saying that she’d send a copy for Buffy to look at.

Suddenly the quiet café was filled with loud and raucous laughter. It was Rack and his band, clattering around with trays and generally acting up.

Spike asked her,

“Do you know who that is?” Buffy grinned, and told him of her experience earlier. Spike smiled and shook his head.

“Guy’s an animal! Does it anywhere, doesn’t care if anyone can see.

A couple of months ago, Cordelia was waiting for the lift, and when the doors opened, there for all the world to see was Rack’s bare arse bobbing back and forth, his girl screaming with her legs wrapped around his waist.

To Cordy’s credit, she didn’t turn a hair, she just got in and pressed for the ground floor!

So pet, are you sure you’ve had enough lunch?” Buffy put her hand on her stomach.

“Yes thanks, I’ve got butterflies the size of elephants!”

“You’ll be fine, so, rehearsals, ok? The guy who’ll be recording you is a nice bloke, looks like a school-kid, but he’s actually in his late twenties. Billy Fordham, everyone knows him as ‘Ford’. Shall we go?”

Buffy nodded and stood up, and they made their way to the recording suites
chapter 7 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 7


Cecily let herself in, dropped her purse and keys on the hall table, kicked off her shoes and called out for her friend.

“Dru………Dru, where are you?……………Dru…Dr- oh, there you are. Gosh, are all right?” Dru came wandering out from the lounge and she looked awful, very pale and wan.

“I’m ok…tired”

“That’ll be the jet-lag. Want a drink?”

“I made some tea, but you’ve not got any milk, I like my tea with milk”

“Sod tea, I mean a drink, drink. A proper drink!” Cecily went to the kitchen with Dru following her.

Cecily opened the fridge and surveyed the meagre contents. She grabbed a carton of leftover Chinese food, sniffed it, wrinkled her nose, and put it on the counter. The she took out orange juice, and lifted the lid of the pizza box to find one slice, which she put in her mouth and held there, while she threw away the box. Biting off a portion of the pizza and chewing, she then pulled a face and spat it out into the bin.

“I’m always giving myself food poisoning…” Cecily opened the freezer and took out a bottle of vodka, got two glasses out of the cupboard.

“No, not for me!” Dru put her hand over the glass.

“Don’t be silly!”

“Anyway, it’s too early!”

“It’s 3.40pm. Livener, pick-me-up, whatever, and it’s NEVER too early! – Besides which, I’ve been up since 8.30am!” Cecily poured the glass half full with the ice-cold vodka, and topped it up with the orange juice. She drank it down and poured another, holding the bottle poised over the other glass, she asked

“Sure I can’t tempt you?”

Dru had her head leant on her hand, she just shook it. Returning the juice and vodka to the fridge and freezer, Cecily saw the red light winking on the Ansaphone.

She pressed the ‘play’ button. The machine beeped, and a metallic voice stated that she had three messages, the first being from a man

“Hi baby, look, we’re all behind with the recording, so I won’t see you tonight. Hope you’ve got a nice film to show me …see ya”

“Who was that?”

“Hold on, let me find out who these other two messages are from, then I’ll tell you…”
Another male voice said,

“Cec, it’s me, Tucker, I forgot to tell you, you’re due your med test, so could you go to Dr Frost’s office before you come in tomorrow – thanks, later”

The final message was somebody trying to sell her insurance, which she cut off and ran the tape back.

“Was that your boyfriend?” Dru asked

“Rack, he’s lead singer with the band Noiz – gods, he’s hung like a donkey, and absolute animal in bed!”
Dru sat up, remembering what the message said

“He knows what you do?”
Dru asked incredulously. Cecily gave her friend a puzzled look.

“Yes, of course he does! In fact, it was he seeing one of my films made him call up the studio!”

“He doesn’t mind – you, you know, doing it with other men?”

“Why should he? He knows it’s just a job, me fucking other people, its just sex.

Besides, he has his groupies! Anyway, before I do anything else, I must book to see Dr. Frost…”
Cecily picked up the phone, and pressed speed-dial 4, and it rang

“Dr Frost’s office please…………Hello, can I have an appointment for tomorrow morning please………Cecily Adams…HIV test, yes, CS International………10am, right, thankyou, bye”

“CECILY!” Dru looked panic-stricken

“What?” Cecily asked, as calm as you like

“Are you? – I mean, do you think you’ve got, well, are you ill?”

“Ill, no why – oh, the test? Don’t worry; we have to have a test done every 6-8 weeks. Some studios say three months, others six, it’s just a precaution, gives everybody peace of mind”

“You don’t use condoms?”

“Ew, no, like bathing with your clothes on! – That’s why we have the tests, anyway. Look, as my nearest and dearest has seen fit to let me down tonight, fancy going out? Paint the town red – huh – show everybody old Dru’s back in town!”

“I don’t know Cec…”

“Come on…where’s your Joie de vivre? You used to be worse than me at one time!”
Then Cecily thought that it was perhaps the medication she was on making her friend dopey and slightly morose.

“Look, let’s fill up the hot-tub, send for some take-out Chinese, and decide later, yes?” Dru nodded
“Cec”

“Hmm?”

“Do you ever see Spike now?”

“Spike – no…I know he’s still at Aphrodite, he’s Rack’s manager, but I haven’t seen him since you were last here, why?”
Dru shrugged and said quietly,

“Just wondered, that’s all. It all ended so badly.”

*********

“Ok pet? – I’ll leave you to it then for a while, I’ll be back at, let me see………it’s one-thirty now…half past three, we’ll go for coffee, ‘kay?”

Buffy nodded and she then began talking with Ford, before going into rehearse.

Spike left the recording suite to go up to his office.

Who should be walking towards him, but the sexy duo, Vixen.

They were wearing skin-tight leather all-in-ones and spiky heeled boots; both showing a lot of cleavage.
They practically ran to him and curled themselves around him, almost purring, hands everywhere, caressing his chest, back, thighs, with Faith slipping her hand around and squeezing his buttock.

“Hmm…buns of steel!” Faith drawled, in her sexy rough voice.

“Now, now ladies!” Spike took Faith’s hand from his butt, and she slipped in around his waist instead.

“You two are naughty girls, aren’t you, huh?” They all giggled, and he still had his arm around each of them.

“And? What are you going to do about it, BIG boy?” Lilah slid her hand down his chest and abs; again Spike stopped her short of doing something indecent in a public place!

“I’m not that kind of bloke, I’ll have you know!” Spike said, grinning

“Shame…we could have had SO much fun together, just the three of us, don’t you think Fay?”

Faith was nuzzling Spike’s neck, and he could feel himself getting aroused, his neck was highly sensitive…trying to shrug away from her nibbling Spike wriggled

“Oh SO much!” Faith huskily agreed. Spike quickly extricated himself from the duo’s grasp.

“You’ll be the death of me you two will, now go on! Get that new video made!”

Normally, he would have slapped their bottoms playfully, but he decided it wouldn’t seem right now, somehow………the two girls laughed and went on their way.
Rolling his eyes and blowing out his cheeks, was a slightly discomfited Spike that went up to his office!

“Seriously, I’m sure he thinks we’re joking…what I wouldn’t do for that guy…!” Lilah said to Faith wistfully.

“Tell me about it! The guy’s a walking sex-bomb – I could eat him all up … starting in the middle!”

Faith agreed and they both giggled.

**********

When he got to his office, Spike set about getting Buffy an ‘advance’ cheque written, he also got Cordelia to phone Ethan Raine to book Buffy a spot on his show.

“Not Glory then first?” Cordelia asked

“Good god no, it would be like throwing Bambi to the lioness” Cordelia smiled at Spike’s analogy

“Hmm, suppose you’re right, but you know he hates these last minute bookings”

“Just remind him who pays his wages, he’ll do it – besides which, once it goes out tonight that it’s Buffy on tomorrow, his ratings will sky-rocket”

“There is that, yes, ok, I’ll do my best”

Cordelia hugged her clip-board to her chest, smiled and left

At twenty passed three, Spike went down to the recording suite, and watched

Buffy from the booth. She had headphones on, and was singing into a microphone suspended from the ceiling.

“Hey, Ford…isn’t that a too high up, she seems like she’s having to stretch a little”

“No, it’s fine, helps the breathing – makes the voice stronger”
Ford explained.

“So, how did she do?”

“For a first-timer? Brilliant she’s a natural – like a duck to water, this is the second track she’s doing. She had the sense to bring in a tape of other stuff she’s done at home, and we picked this one out of a possible four, we’ll use this and another one she’s already done for the album. We could be all done and dusted within a couple of weeks, I’m sure”

The music stopped and Buffy stood waiting for the green light to come on indicating that the recording had stopped.
The green light came on, and the buzzer rang.

“Was that ok? – I was a bit wobbly in the middle”

“Don’t worry, we can fix that, let’s have a break now”

Buffy nodded and took off the headphones and shook out her hair, fluffing it with her hand.
Spike opened the door.

“Oh you’ve really impressed Ford, he tells me you’re a natural, he’s really impressed!”

Buffy blushed and then Spike said,

“Come on – lets go grab a coffee or something – I’ve got something to tell you”

*************


Dru followed Cecily out of the taxi outside ‘Cobra’ one of the hottest clubs in town.

“Cec, where are you going? Queue’s this way”

Dru said, watching her friend making her way to the entrance passed the huge waiting crowds. Waving a dismissive hand Cecily said,

“Queuing-schmooing! I don’t queue anywhere – come on, follow me!”
And to Dru’s utter amazement, Cecily said something to the doorman, who’d already recognised her and had the entrance door half way open for her.

“Sorry miss, you’ll have to-“

“It’s ok, she’s with me!” Cecily smiled, and the doorman apologised and pulled the door open a little wider to allow Dru through.

“See! Easy-peasy!” the two girls giggled and made their way to the ladies rest room.
******

Up in the 6th floor café, Spike was handed a sheet of paper by one of the messengers.

“Ah right then…tomorrow morning at eleven o’clock, you’ll be taken to the TV studios in Burbank, you’re going to be on Ethan Raine’s show, it’s recorded, and you’ll do your song, and just a little chat, just be natural, be yourself, and you’ll be fine, ok?”

“Oh god!”

“What – you’ll be fine you’ve already sang in front of a far bigger studio audience than he has, there’s ninety seats in his studio, you sang in front of eight hundred at ABC – you’ll be fine, I promise you”
Buffy nodded, then a sudden thought hit her.

“Ok…oh, what will I wear?”

“Don’t worry, there’s wardrobe and makeup there, in fact, have you heard of Andrew and Larry?”

“Oh yes, god, I LOVE those two! I love the way they bitch about each other, then bitch and pull to bits the outfits of the stars they haven’t dressed!”

“That’s them, well, they’ll put you right don’t worry. Now…I’ve got two things for you…first, I know how things are fixed at home, with the phone and that, so here you go, a cell phone for you, it’s pretty straight forward”

“Great, thanks! I was thinking I needed one”

“And here…you might think it’s a lot, but I promise you, you’ve earned it, it’s an advance”
Spike handed over a folded in half cheque. Buffy opened it, and her eyes bugged –

“Wow…oh my god!”
Tears sprang to her eyes, she covered her mouth
The figures and letters of $150,000 swam before her eyes, and she was overwhelmed, all her house problems were over now. She fumbled for a tissue,

“Sorry, I’m sorry, it’s…wow”
Spike wanted to gather her up in his arms.

“You ok pet?”
Buffy nodded as she blew her nose.

“I’m sorry!”

“Silly thing, you’ve no need to be sorry – after all the work you’ll do the next few months, you’ll be saying you’re worth ten times that!”

Buffy gave him a watery smile.
Another messenger gave Spike another sheet of paper, but this wasn’t anything to do with Buffy.

“Um, you know tomorrow, will you be with me?” Buffy asked hopefully

“I um, I hadn’t planned on…doing…anything else BUT to be with you!”
Spike changed what he was originally going to say. Buffy smiled and finished her juice and muffin.

“Good!” Spike smiled too…

“We must drop into Cordelia’s office on the way down, you need to sign for that cheque I gave you” Buffy nodded

“Right then, that’s us all done here, why don’t wait outside for me, I won’t be a sec”
Spike said to Buffy, and she nodded and went out of Cordelia’s office

“Is Xander around?”

“He’s getting that release contract form signed by Angel O’Connor as we speak”

“Oh, ok, doesn’t matter, I’ll see him later.”

“Shall I tell him you want him?”

“Nah, don’t worry, see you in bit”

“I’ll be here”

Cordelia said, without looking away from the monitor screen.
Spike went out into the corridor, and the sight that met his eyes gave him a jolt like an electric shock. There by the lift, was Buffy, just being let go from a big hug by Angel O’Connor, they were both grinning their heads off.

“Oh Spike!”
Cordelia came dashing out of her office, stood in front of him.

“You forgot this, can’t get in without it!”

She offered him the security pass so he could drive into the Burbank studio’s, but Spike shifted slightly to look over her shoulder, he was more intent on watching Buffy and Angel.

“How the fuck does he know her?” Spike said with quiet anger

Cordelia arched a brow, and looked over her shoulder. She turned back to face Spike. With the corners of her mouth turned down, she shrugged,

“I dunno”
Spike could hear snatches of their conversation;

“………Actually went back there and worked as a councillor! After I said I’d never set foot in the place ever again ………”

“Spike………Spike!” Cordelia said frowning
Spike dragged his eyes off the duo at the lift and looked at Cordy, but then soon refocused on the couple.

“What?”

“……………Signed to Midnight Music now, better deal…………I had artistic differences with the other band members………”
Spike gasped incredulously,

“Can you hear him? - ‘Artistic differences’ my arse, they learned that he couldn’t sing, couldn’t dance, and couldn’t even fucking lip-sync to his own words! – My god, you can smell it from here!”
Spike said disgustedly

“Smell what?” Cordelia asked

“The bullshit!”

“Whatever, do you want this security pass or what – coz I’ve got things to do” Spike took it off her, and she went back to her office, shaking her head.

“Buffy” Spike called.

“…………Great to see you, keep in touch, won’t you?”

“BUFFY!” Spike said, letting his annoyance show through. Buffy began to walk backwards away from Angel

“Gotta go Angel, good luck, bye - (She turned and came up to Spike) Sorry Spike, old friend, well old boyfriend, actually!”

Buffy said grinning, but then she saw Spike didn’t look best pleased, and the smile fell from her face.

“Really? Well come on, doesn’t do to keep people waiting, gives a bad impression”
Spike pushed open the fire doors with gusto so they banged back against the wall. He was walking very fast, and Buffy had to trot to keep up with him.
She could tell he was annoyed. Without looking at her Spike said,

“Despite what he just told you, Angel O’Connor was sacked by Aphrodite records, he’s now signed to a rival company, so, I know what you do in private is your own affair, but don’t get too involved with him, Sweet wouldn’t like it, and he has just given you a generous advance of $150.000. Most only get $30,000 so don’t do anything to annoy him, count yourself lucky”

“Yes Spike! – I’m sorry – I didn’t think - ” Buffy felt awful that Spike was annoyed with her.
He in turn, felt like nine kinds of shit lying to her and being angry, he had no right, other than he fancied her like mad…


Xander put his head around Cordelia’s office door.

“Hi, seen Spike?”

“Just left to go back down to the recording suite with Buffy, why?”

“Here you go, the release form. I need a favour from him”

“Huh, I wouldn’t, if I were you” Cordelia warned

“What? – Why not?”

“He’s in a foul mood…that and the green-eyed monster” She muttered the last bit under her breath.

“Sorry what?”

“Nothing, can I help?”

“Do you know anything about this date he’s supposed to be getting me?”

“Date? No, what for?”

“Doesn’t matter, I’ll take my chances, see him later, bye”

********


“Just a little toot, it won’t hurt you, do you better than that shit the doc’s given you, I mean Dru, where’s you’re spark? You used to be the life and soul!” Cecily held the silver tube out to Dru

“But what if I…”

“What? What if you what? Started enjoying life again? Ooh, heaven forbid!” Dru took the tube off Cecily, and bent down and snorted half a line of coke. She sniffed and pinched her nose, sniffed again, wiped it on the back of her finger, sniffing again, and felt the immediate hit of euphoria.

“There…wasn’t so bad, was it…come on, seen some hot guys out there! Oh, hold on…” Cecily bent and snorted the half line left, sniffing deeply and pinching her nose, throwing her head back and laughing as they left the rest room.
chapter 8 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 8


Spike opened the door to the recording suite, and he turned to face a worried looking Buffy.

“Spike, I’m sorry”

She didn’t really know what she was apologising for, except for the fact he was annoyed about something.
Immediately Spike felt the stab of guilt, and his shoulders dropped and he shook his head.

“No love, I’M sorry. There’s something about that bloke that just riles me. I shouldn’t have taken it out on you.”
Buffy could see that Spike was genuine in what he said, and she felt the coil of worry in the pit of her stomach relax, felt relief he wasn’t angry with her.

He smiled and said,
“You go have a good rehearsal, um, are you in a rush to get home?”

“To an empty house – No! Did you want me to stay late?”

“Well, I was thinking, after your rehearsals, we could go and have a chat with the photographer, sort out what you’ll be wearing for the cover of your single, and then perhaps, well, we could go get something to eat.”

“Great!” Buffy said with enthusiasm

“Yeah? – Good! Um…do you like Italian food?”

“Love it – although, I’m not dressed for a restaurant”

“Don’t worry, this little place, it’s always full of sound recordists, engineers, lighting directors, always in jeans – but the food is terrific”

“Sounds great” She grinned

“You’ll be in here for what…let me think…two hours now, so I’ll come and get you at around…6, is that ok? – We can leave around 7 o’clock, and that will get you home nicely so you can have a nice relaxing bath and a good nights sleep, don’t want any dark circles around those pretty green eyes of yours now do we?”

Buffy blushed a little and smiled.

“See you in a while then, pet” Buffy nodded and went into the recording suite.

*********

Spike went to the video editing room and smiled. Good, she was there.

“Harm, got a minute, pet?”

She stopped the tape of her Christmas song and stood up.

“Blondie-B-oh, uh, I mean, um…hello Spike” Harmony looked downcast.

“Want to go to the Indie Radio Awards still?” Spike wheedled

Harmony tried for her ‘hurt, little voice’, and shook her head,

“No…you said I hadn’t won, so what’s the point?” She looked at Spike with big puppy-dog eyes.

Spike went over to the couch and patted it for her to sit next to him.

“Look, I’ve been thinking, this will be good practice for you, for when you start winning awards”

“What?” her face broke into a huge grin, and she squealed,

“I’ve won an-“ Spike winced and held up his hand.

“Hold on, calm down.”

“Yes Spike. Sorry Spike. Carry on … I’m going to win something!”
She bobbed her knees up and down very fast, until Spike gave her a ‘warning’ look.

“Sorry – you’ve got my undivided attention now – go on………what award is it?”

“HARMONY! Ok, this was a mistake! (Spike stood up and looked down at her) I thought you could do it, but obviously I was wrong”

He made to move for the door, but she caught his arm.

“What, I’m sorry, I’ll do it, whatever it is, I won’t screw up, I promise!”

Spike looked at her for a few seconds, nodded, and then sat back down.

“Ok, now LISTEN, and NO interrupting, ok?”

Harmony just looked big-eyed, and nodded her head.

Because Anyanka is out of the country, I want YOU to go and accept the Best Singer award on her behalf – (Harmony opened her mouth to speak, but Spike put his hand up in the recognised ‘Halt’ sign) – Let me finish (she nodded) Right, Anya’s already done her piece to camera, I just want you to go up and collect the award, and say thankyou. But, and this is important bit here, I don’t want you to do it as ‘Harmony, Teeny-bop Pop-Star’, I want you in a long evening gown, hair up, make-up immaculate, I want everyone to see that you are the height of sophistication, elegance and poise, ok – you are nearly 25 now, and it’s perhaps about time we moved on with your image, maybe even do something a little…I don’t know…raunchier – for your next song after Christmas?

Still, that’s something you can discuss with your new manager, Xander, in fact, it was he whom you have to thank for this idea – I wasn’t sure whether you could pull it off, quite frankly”

“Um, can I speak now?”

Spike nodded

“Sure – go ahead”

“I can do it! I can look sophisticated and that!”

”But can you tone down the enthusiasm a little pet, when it involves kids, bounding around like an eager puppy is fine, what we want here, is cool, calm and sophisticated.
You can talk to Xander about your change of image over dinner at the Four Seasons, have a couple of cocktails in the ‘Winds’ bar upstairs first, and we’ll throw in a limo to take you, ok?”

Harmony nodded eagerly.

“Will he agree, do you think? – I’d really like to alter my image…those kids today drove me nuts…”

Spike smiled

“I’m sure you’ll find a way to get him to agree…pretty girl like you could sweet-talk him…and I know you love to talk, and the fortunate thing is, Xander does like to listen………make a good impression on him – and well………who knows?”

“Spike…am I up for any award this year, do you know?”

“Actually – I think you’re front runner for Teen Magazine favourite female pop singer, best single AND favourite outfit”

Drumming her fists lightly on her knees, Harmony grinned.

“OOOHHH, YES!”

“Remember, the key-word here, ‘sophisticated’, don’t want any ‘Gwennie’ crying crap, just keep it simple and cool, ‘kay?” He stood up.

“Course, yes, sure!”

“Ok then, I’ve got to go – you get back to your video”

Harmony leaned back on the couch, dreaming daydreams of accepting awards with the utmost grace.

**********

“Tickets to the awards, a couple of cocktails in the Winds bar first, then dinner downstairs at the Four Seasons, and a limo to take you, she wants to discuss a change of image, to one of, well, more grown up I suppose you could say. After all, she isn’t a teenager. And all this, the whole idea, her picking up the award, being sophisticated and the possible change of image, it came from YOU, understand?” Spike said

Xander looked shocked.

“From ME?”

“Uh huh.”

“But, well, what shall I say?”

Spike rolled his eyes.

“Have I got to do EVERYTHING for you goddam it?
Look…do what you do best; LISTEN! God knows she loves to talk! Tell her you’ll think about her ideas, but, want to mull it over…that you’ll have to discuss things with Sweet, then go along with what she wants – eventually that is, let her stew a while before you agree…you might find she’ll be willing to, well, you know ‘help’ you come to a decision in her favour, ‘help’ you to persuade the Big Boss…”

“You mean … you mean she might sleep with me?”

Xander, who’d been leaning back in his computer chair with his hands clasped behind his head, suddenly sat up straight, grinning.

Spike sighed and rolled his eyes, a myriad of sarcastic remarks ran through his head, but in the end he just nodded and said – ‘yes’

Xander leaned back again, hands on top of his head this time, grinning. Then a thought hit him, and he turned towards Spike, his smile gone.

“But what if Sweet says no, and he doesn’t want her to change?”

Spike muttered ‘give me strength’ under his breath

“Then just give it to him straight! She’s 25 years old, needs to re-invent herself, and waiting in the wings on Junior Talent Time or Poppet Pop-Stars are dozens of little Harmony wannabe’s just waiting to be snapped up – he’ll agree, trust me”

Xander thought…then he slowly nodded.

“Yeah…yeah, I think you might be right!”

“Pardon?”

“I mean, yes, you ARE right!”

“That’s better. Now, just remember, all this was your idea, ok – I didn’t think she could handle it, but you persuaded me?” (Xander nodded) Spike stood up and went over to the door.

“If you want to start the ball rolling, she’s in the video editing room – see ya later, bye”

Xander looked down at his shirt, straightened his collar, and brushed imaginary bits off his trousers, he cupped his hands over his mouth and nose, exhaled and sniffed, his breath was ok…he could stop off in the Gents rest room and check his hair…

“Right then, here we go…”

He opened the door to the video editing room, and almost immediately, his arms were full of grateful, over-eager blonde, hugging and thanking him profusely for having faith in her…

“Hi, Harmony, I thought that- ooh! Oh, um…

“………And I promise, I won’t let you down, and oh thankyou! – I’ll look all sophisty- whattsit and be good, and ooohh thankyou, THANKYOU!” Harmony hugged Xander hard, kissing his cheek, and hugging him for all she was worth.

“Oh, um, erm, yeah, well um, huh, great…you’re…ooh, welcome, I’m sure!”

Xander slipped his arms around her and hugged her, grinning over her shoulder, Maybe Spike was right!

**********

Dru was twirling around, arms outstretched, laughing. Everything was floating past, a sea of colours one merging into the other, the pulse of the trance music flowed through her and became her pulse, the throbbing beat her own heartbeat, she felt alive, living, set free, she was running, flying – free at last she had her wings back, faces swam into focus and out again, laughing, drinking, living the moment, she was the music, she was the life, it flowed from her pretty fingers…and she bestowed it on all that surrounded her………

“Whose that Cec?”

“Hmm…oh, that’s Dru…she’s back!”

“Well, she’s certainly enjoying herself!”

“Yeah…wanna meet her…Dru…Dru, come here, and meet some friends!”

Cecily swayed up to her friend and stopped her spinning around.

“Come and meet my friends!”

“I’m dancing…I’m…… whoops!”

Giddy from all the twirling, they staggered to the table, Dru almost falling over, which started them both giggling.

“This is Kendra…and this is her boyfriend, Forrest”

Dru tried to focus on the couple.

“Forrest? Like, like a tree – wheeee a tree, I’m a tree…I like tree’s”

“She alright?” Forrest asked Cecily, he was frown/smiling.

“Yeah…she’s just not, you know, well, she’s been off the scene too long…”

“Well whatever’s making her happy…I want some. Got any?”

“Sure…come with me…”

The trio went off to the toilets to get themselves ‘sorted’, and was soon flying high………

Warren Meers, or rather Warren Walsh as he preferred to be known as these days because of an outstanding warrant, surveyed his kingdom from the upstairs balcony of the club. He sipped his vodka Martini, made for him by the weasely little barman, Willy.

“Hey, Willy…come here”

“Yes boss?”

“That girl down there, thin, long dark hair, the one totally off her face spinning like a top…recognise her?”

Willy came from around the bar and looked over the balcony. He looked for a few seconds, and then turned to his boss.

“Isn’t she that mad bint, the one that caused that big hoo-har when she threatened to jump off the roof of Aphrodite Records a while back – used to be in here a lot at one time…she’s with Candy Hunt, I know they used to be friends, both Brits”

“That’s what I thought…wonder where she’s come from…haven’t seen her for a good while…ok Willy, back to your station”

“Yes, boss”

*********

“Good rehearsal then!” Spike smiled as Buffy left the recording suite.

“Great”

“Um, I popped down to see the photographer, but he wanted to get off home, so I thought we could do that first thing after the show tomorrow, ok – shall we go eat now?”

“Great, coz I’m starving!”

“Well then, to Luigi’s, pronto!” Spike held the door open for her; they trotted down the stairs, signed out and left the building.


“Hmm…oh gods, this is heaven!”

“What did I tell you? I know the red-check tablecloths are a bit naff, as are the candles in wine-bottles, but you won’t find a better Lasagne al forno anywhere…here…try my cannelloni”

Spike held out a forkful, and Buffy ate.

“Hmm…and this dressing on the salad…oh gods, what’s that?” Buffy eyes followed a waiter carrying a creamy chocolate confection to another table.

“Ah, that is their famous Tiramisu. It literally means ‘pick-me-up’ It’s little Ratafia biscuits soaked in Marsala wine and coffee liqueur, with whipped cream and chocolate…I swear it’s to die for. Means another hour in the gym mind, but it’s worth it – we could share one, if you like!

Buffy smiled and said,

“Hmm, me likey!” Making Spike grin too…

**********


“UH!”

“That’s it babe, give it to her good!” Kendra encouraged, as Forrest pumped hard and fast in and out of Cecily.

“Oh fuck, oh yeah…yeah, ugh, so good, ooooohhhhh………don’t stop, don’t you DARE fuckin’ stop…ohh!” Cecily babbled.

Forrest found another gear and thrust at her with renewed vigour after taking a huge sniff of Amyl Nitrite. Kendra wafted the bottle of the fruity-smelling amber liquid under Cecily’s nose, before taking a sniff herself; then she began to suck and pull at Cec’s pale brown nipples.

Cecily’s head whipped from side to side, she was panting hard, she felt so good…

Forrest threw his head back, gasping, and Kendra knew her man was past the point of no return, so she reached down to where they were joined, and she pinched and rolled Cecily’s slippery protruding clit making the girl shriek and buck through a deep, hard orgasm. The tight squeezing of her inner muscles bought Forrest off and he came in one long hard burst shooting deep inside her.

The blonde guy lent over the girl collapsed on the bathroom floor.

“Hey…um, sorry, forget your name…you ok…huh? You alright?”

Dru stirred,

“Huh…Spike?”

“What? – You ok?”

Dru sat up, the whole room swayed; she felt her mouth saliva up. She tried to focus on the blonde guy talking to her.

“I’d come back to bed if I were you”

“You’re not………who are you?”
Dru tried to stand up, then she suddenly realised that the guy was using the toilet, and she felt slightly shocked, and shrieked.

“What are you doing?!”

“What’s it look like, I’m having a piss…so……… we gonna go again or what?”

“Oh god…I feel…I’m going to be…”
She put her hand over her mouth as she started to heave, and just about made it to the shower cubicle. Dru switched on the shower, and shuddered as cold water sprayed over her hand as she washed the vomit down the plughole.

She felt awful, her head was pounding, and her stomach felt sore. Setting about cleaning her teeth, she rinsed and spat, when a male voice from the bedroom said,

“Use the mouthwash, else I’m not kissing you again”

Frozen mid brush, Dru wandered into the bedroom, to see the blonde guy naked lying on the bed, watching a porn movie on TV, sound off. She took the brush out of her mouth.

“Who are you? – Where did you come from?”


Trying to get more coherent thoughts together, Dru knew that basically, there was something wrong here…she’d ‘come to’ on the bathroom floor, with a total stranger standing over her, and they’d apparently already shared an intimate experience that she couldn’t remember………

“Parker…sorry, forgot your name, we met at Cobra”

Just then, a giggling, and stark naked Cecily came into their bedroom, and went to a closet and opened it.

“Don’t mind me…won’t be a sec…” She took out some sort strappy leather thing and went to leave, when Dru snagged her arm and pulled her into the en-suite bathroom.

“Who the hell is HE?” Dru hissed

Cecily looked at her friend impassively, and shrugged.

“I dunno. Just somebody you latched onto in the club. What’s up, don’t you like him anymore?”

“LIKE HIM?” Dru screeched, then she dropped her voice,

“Like him? I don’t even know who the fuck he is!”

“I told you, you latched onto him in the club…I think he reminded you of Spike. You kept calling him that, anyway”

“Get rid of him!” Dru hissed

Cecily frowned

“Don’t be like that…he seemed…nice enough”

Dru’s head pounded, and she held it.

“I can’t…I can’t deal with this, I can’t stand-“

Not wanting her friend to throw a wobbly, Cecily quickly grabbed one of Dru’s hands.

“Alright, alright, calm down, calm down…... I’ll get rid of him for you…now you go back to bed and get some sleep, ok”

“Just get rid-“

“Ok, I’m doing it now…” Cecily left the bathroom.

“Um, hi…sorry about this, but my friend, she’s not feeling too well, and um-“

“Hey, you’re her! You’re that girl in the movie!” Parker grinned and pointed to the screen.

“Yeah…that’s right…so, um…tell you what…come with me, eh? Give Dru a chance to rest”

Parker didn’t need asking twice, and he bounded off the bed and followed Cecily to the other room, where Kendra and Forrest were.

Dru opened the door slightly, and checked that he’d gone. All sorts of thoughts ran through her head, as she slowly slid down the wall and started to cry.

***********

“Oh my god, what’s going on?” Buffy had directed Spike to where she lived from the restaurant. Outside her house was a police car, and a few clusters of mainly kids dotted about on the drive, pavement and lawn. Spike quickly pulled up, and Buffy got out of the car, panicking.

“S’cuse me what’s going on?” She asked the nearest officer

“It’s Buffy, she’s here!” She heard a voice say.

“It’s ok madam. Your neighbours phoned us, seems there have been small gangs of youths hanging around your house, they said they wanted your autograph”

Buffy still serious faced looked at her house. It seemed fine, except the lawn seemed a little churned up. She relaxed.

“Everything ok?” Spike came over to her.

The officer smiled and said,

“Just a few kids wanting autographs, that’s all”

Spike smiled, and said in a loud voice,

“Look kids…Buffy will be having some official photo’s done tomorrow, we’ll see you all get an autographed copy, ok?”

“Who are you?” A tall kid asked Spike

“I’m her manager, I promise we’ll bring you some photo’s and that, but you must go now and leave these people in peace, ok, is that all right officer?”

The cop nodded and the kids left.

“Sorry about that – I didn’t think!” Buffy said, still amazed at her now celebrity.

“Well, nothing you could have done really. Say! You’re that girl that won Search For a Star, right?” The cop said, grinning

Buffy couldn’t help it, and she smiled.

“Um, yeah.”

“I voted for you, my Mrs said the boy-band would win, but I know quality when I hear it!” Buffy blushed when Spike said,

“So do I! Is that it then, can she go in now?”

“Sure…do you just want to have a little check around inside, your neighbour told us you live alone. We have checked, there is no sign of a break in”

“Um, no. I’ll be fine, Spike will, I mean my manager will come in for a moment” she looked at Spike hopefully and he nodded.

“Ok then ma’am, we’ll bid you goodnight – oh hey, when does that song of yours come out?”

“Saturday, it will be released on Saturday”

“Great, goodnight, ma’am, sir” the cops got into the squad car and left

“Night, and thanks” Buffy turned to Spike.

“Tea?”

“Love some”
chapter 9 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 9

Spike sat with his body turned towards her, and Buffy drew her legs up underneath her, they were on the sofa, both nursing a mug of tea.

“………Willow was my best friend, and she was with Oz, he was in a band, they were good too. Angel always wanted fame, so he used to hang around, always asking Oz questions. I used to like it, not because he was a great conversationalist or anything, it just made me feel less of a gooseberry. Then the prom came up, and he asked me to go with him, and then we started dating. To the movies, the Bronze…I didn’t want anything ‘heavy’, I just wanted to keep it light, but well…he could be very………intense sometimes. Then my mom became ill, and I used to spend most of my free time with her at the hospital… Or if she was allowed home, I didn’t want anybody around…he’d started auditioning for bands, and we just drifted apart. Quite frankly, I was surprised when he got into the ‘Sharks’, he couldn’t sing a note! If somebody used to put a song on the jukebox, and he started to sing, we used to tell him to shut up. Seeing him today, I don’t know what I ever saw in him!”

Spike smiled and they sipped their tea. He was thinking the same…


“So, what about you…broken loads of girls hearts, I bet!”

Buffy teased, and she was intrigued to see Spike suddenly look a little…sad? Whatever it was, it made her want to just hold him…he had a little boy lost look only for a second or two, but it made him look vulnerable, she could tell he’d been hurt.

“………So, we were always together. Our families lived on grand estates next door to one another, my father had received a knighthood for his services in the Army, while Dru’s father was born into nobility. We always played together as children, went to the same schools, university, it was inevitable I suppose, everybody thought, well, took it for granted really, that we’d end up together. Her mother had always had mental health problems, and it seemed that unfortunately, Dru followed suit. She was always highly strung. Then she got in with the ‘wrong crowd’ didn’t need me anymore…and we broke up. It hadn’t been much of a relationship the last eighteen months really…more me taking care of her, when she’d let me, that is, which seemed less and less. She’d get herself into some serious shit, drugs or protesting, vandalising property, her and her friends antics more and more dangerous, and well, it would all come crashing down around her ears, and then she’d come running back to me to pick up the pieces”


“She thought of you as her safety net?” Buffy said, and Spike nodded.

“Yes. I always did my best in the past, but well, I spoke to Charles, that’s her father, Lord Netherbourne, and he said that perhaps it was about time for some tough love, making her see sense, making her take some responsibility for her own actions might just give her the wake-up call she needed to get her life back on track. So, on his advice, I didn’t respond when she called the last time. Eventually, she threw the mother of all tantrums, and she actually got onto the roof at the studios, threatened to throw herself off. She said god and her mother had told her to do it…her mother had been dead for six years”

“Oh god, that must have been so hard for you!” Buffy felt such a wave of sympathy for Spike, she got that feeling of just wanting to hold him, again…

“It was, but I realised that I couldn’t help her anymore, and by even trying, I’d end up doing more harm than good. So I let go. She was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, just like her mother.
The authorities talked her down off the roof, and she was taken to hospital. When she was well enough, she went back to England. That was nearly two years ago now. In the middle of it all, that old boyfriend of yours, Angel O’Connor, he used her to get to Aphrodite Records, got her to get Sweetly to sign up his band…bunch of useless prats…sorry, but that’s why I never liked him – that and the fact that they were a talentless bunch of wankers!”

Both smiled at this, then Spike looked up.

“I’m rambling – hell, would you look at the time! And here I was, getting you home so you could have a good night’s rest!” Buffy glanced at the wall clock, and was surprised to see it had gone midnight. They’d been talking of their past relationships, previous jobs, and how things suddenly change. Spike put the mug on the coffee table and stood up.

“Will you be ok?” Buffy smiled and nodded, and asked

“Fine, will a car pick me up in the morning?”

“Oh hell, I forgot to book one. Look, as I’m coming with you, I’ll pick you up.. I’ve got the security pass to drive straight in at Burbank – so I’ll be here for you at…ten, it’ll take roughly half an hour to get there…ten, yes, ten o’clock, will that be all right with you?”

Buffy nodded

“Will these jeans be okay to wear?”

“Fine, as I say, Andrew and Larry will dress you when you get there. Well pet, I’ll be off. Sorry for keeping you up – I forget I can ramble sometimes”

“Don’t be silly, I enjoyed our talk. Oh, and thankyou for the meal”

Spike moved towards the front door, bent and picked up another note that had been pushed through the mailbox, and put it with the pile already on the hall table.

“Missed one, there you go. Goodnight then, pet, see you in the morning” he briefly wondered whether to kiss her cheek or forehead, he wanted to kiss her for real, but didn’t want to frighten her off…

Buffy came to the front door and smiled.

“See you in the morning then…um, drive carefully, won’t you” She reached and squeezed his hand, and Spike grinned, and squeezed gently back.

“Always do, pet…night-night” Buffy opened the door for him, and Spike went to go through, but turned back suddenly to face her, and it invaded her ‘personal space’, they were practically nose-to-nose, but she didn’t shift, she looked at his mouth.

“Um… I, erm…you might want to think about what you’d like to call your album” he looked at her lips, which she moistened.

“’Kay…I will.” She said barely above a whisper. Neither of them moved, then Spike took the plunge, and kissed her cheek.

“Night, love” Buffy smiled, she’d held her breath, hoping he was going to kiss her properly…she was glad she was holding the door, she was shaking slightly.

When Spike reached the bottom of the path, he turned, waved once, and then got into his car and drove off. Buffy closed and locked the door, leaning with her back to it, smiling…

**********

“………Sorry, I forgot to tell you – and her!” Anya said, laughing.

“Thanks a lot! I woke up being prodded by the end of a sweeping brush, by this old Hispanic woman saying menacingly to me, (Jenny faked a bad Spanish accent)

“Who har you, heh? What har you do-ink in Miss Anya’s bed, tell me, I call poliss now- see, I ham phonings the 911!”

If Jenny was looking for sympathy, she wasn’t getting any from her friend.

“Consuela, she is my little treasure!” Anya explained

“She’s got a vicious prod, I know that, thank god Rupert knew her and explained he’d given me your key!”

“So, never mind about all that, how did the date go?” Anya asked, Jenny could tell Anya was grinning.

“Date? – We haven’t been on it yet, it’s tonight”

“So, you didn’t have dinner with him?”

“I was in no fit state, I’d flown from Boston to Chicago, then I got the Red-eye to LA…I don’t know what bloody planet I’m on yet…”

“So, dinner tonight. I recommend the-“

“No!”

“What do you mean, no – you said the date was tonight” Anya was frowning now, confused.

“’Tis, but we aren’t going to dinner, I’ve got to work, I’m writing a piece for Men and Motor’s, about Big Truck racing, so that’s where we’re going”

“You’re taking Rupert Giles to…”

“The Big Truck race, yes”

“Oh. That’ll be fun” Anya said flatly. It was no wonder Jenny hardly got any second dates…

***********



Xander was mesmerised by the sight of Harmony’s cleavage, which sort of kept bouncing before his eyes…She was sitting very close to him talking animatedly.

“So, how about if we went and got something to eat, and discuss my career? –
Xander…hello?”

“Huh?” He managed to drag his eyes away from the golden twin mounds of her chest long enough to realise that he should be giving her some sort of answer.

“Sorry?”

“Eat? Discuss my career?”

“Now? – Um yeah! Yeah, great, why not?”

“Good. Your place?” She smiled, her brows raised high.

“Yeah, oh NO! (He made her jump shouting) Um, no, sorry…my mother, wouldn’t um, be in a……… very, good……… mood” He said, stiltedly, trying to make up an excuse, he gave her a little inane grin.

Harmony frowned,

“Your mother? You still live with your mother?”

“WHAT? NO! Ha-ha! Silly! The very idea!”
Inside, Xander was panicking.

“Then why wouldn’t she be in a very-“ Harmony began,

And desperately trying to think of a good lie to cover the truth, Xander spied one of Harmony’s vanity bags, covered in travel tickets.

“She um, she’s just staying at my place for a few days…she erm, she………f-f-flew in from, Dallas! - And she’d be tired. Don’t want to wake her, you know, jet-lag, and all that”

“Jet lag, from Dallas?” Harmony looked at him, still puzzled.

“Anyway, come on…shall we go to yours – good, what do you fancy, Chinese? Pizza? My treat of course” Xander had stood and hauled her up, it was all she could do to grab her purse and trot after him to keep up.

He’d started to sweat a little, and he just hoped she hadn’t noticed. As they waited for the lift Xander made a mental note to self, ‘get a place of your own!’

**********

With very shaky fingers, Dru tried to ‘pop’ her medication from its blister-pack. She had twelve tablets left, that was all, less than a weeks supply.

She’d have to find herself a doctor, get registered…the thought filled her with dread.

Strangers, asking questions, questions, why couldn’t they all just leave her alone…wanting answers she didn’t know, always wanting, needing, taking from her, like leeches sucking her blood…Dru began to claw and scratch at her arms, she was cold…she felt sick, and panicky, the walls were closing in on her, panting now, she’d dropped her tablets on the floor, and was now on her knees, scrabbling around for them, she could hear crying, somebody was crying, and when the tears dripped on the floor, she realised it was her………

**********

“Is he awake? Can I go through?” Cecily asked Lorne, walking through Sweet’s lounge without stopping, heading straight for her lord and masters bedroom.

“Hold on Sweet-cheeks, I’ll check if you if-“ Lorne began

Cecily got to the door, smiled and said,

“No need…I’ll soon find out!” And she slipped into Sweet’s bedroom, and closed the door behind her.

The room was dark, the curtains were closed, and the air was warm. Propped up against pillows so he could breath properly, Sweet was snoring soundly. The bedroom door opened silently, and Lorne came in carrying an iced tea, and put it on the night-stand. He said nothing, and left.

Cecily bounce-sat on the bed, and like a cheeky child, lifted the sleep-mask to his forehead.

“Daddy! Wakey-wakey…I’ve come to see you!”

A few grunts, a couple of mumbled words and a loud fart, which had Cecily frowning, she gently shook sweet by the shoulders.

“Daddy………DADDY! Wake up!”

“Huh – what, who’s tha-“

“S’me Daddy! Your little Ceccy!”
Sweet focused on the girl and smiled, made a playful grab at her and roared, Cecily shrieked with laughter as he ‘wrestled’ her to the bed. She leaned up and kissed his leering mouth lightly, and he allowed her to sit up.

“Got something for you, Daddy…hot off the press!” She took out two DVD cases from her purse and put them on the night-stand next to his tea.

“Got something for you, two!” he whipped back the bedclothes to reveal a semi-hard on.

“Ooh, Daddy! You are naughty, what shall I do with that, eh?” She closed her fingers around it, and began to pump him, firmly but slowly, hoping he could keep his erection.

“Uh…oh…yeah”

“That good Daddy?”

He didn’t reply, just pulled her head down to his lap. Taking the hint, Cecily began to lick and suck him off. Five minutes was all it took, and his whole body stiffened as he came, his watery emission flooded her mouth, and she swallowed.

“There!” she made a play of wiping her mouth on the back of her hand and Sweet sat up.

“My little girl come for her treats, has she?”

“Oh, yes please, Daddy…and I’ve got some news for you too, good news!”

“Oh?”

“Guess who’s back in town…she used to be your favourite! Well, after me of course!”

“Dru? Drusilla’s back? – When? And why hasn’t she come to see me?”

“She only flew in day before yesterday, very late, she’s still sleeping off the jet-lag…she’ll come and see you real soon, I promise!”

“Bring her to the party on Friday”

“Ooh, Daddy! We’re having a party – what’s the celebration?”

“Scooped the awards at the Indie Radio Awards…after-show party…. it’ll be just like old times…” Sweet grinned and fondled her breast, and Cecily clapped her hands and grinned, as would an excited child.

*********

“Want some of this?” Xander held out the container on stir-fried beef with straw mushrooms to Harmony

“Ooh, no thanks, it’s meat!”

“Oh, right. Hold on though, isn’t that chicken with ginger and green onion you’re eating?”

“Uh huh”

“But that’s meat!”

“Yes, but its not real meat, not like Kentucky Fried chicken meat” Harmony reasoned, crunching on a prawn cracker.

Xander frowned; he couldn’t work that one out, so he decided to let it go…

Making themselves comfy on the sofa, Harmony had put one of her pop compilation DVD’s into the player.

“Right. Now, I want you to watch this, then compare it to the other ones I’m going to show you, ok?”

“Ok!” Xander said, happily enough………

Two hours later, one glassy eyed Xander was listening to a still-perky-as-a-six-year-old-on-a-sugar-high Harmony………

“………And if you remember how short my skirt was in the ‘Rag Doll’ video, I got slammed for that in the press, but it was very popular, sold more copies than
‘The Sunshine Song.’ The video was popular for that though, I think my skirt blew up when I was on the swing…did I show you that? – Anyway, forget that, if you see the next video, when I wear the Daisy Dukes, and I bend over…but well, when I do the shows, the dads always say they like that bit”.

“Harmony!” Xander said desperately

“Yes, Pookie?”

“Can we not watch any mo – Pookie?” Xander asked, looking her in the eye.

Harmony grinned, and ran her fingers through his hair.

“Yes! You’re my little Pookie-Bear! So, do you want to see the Christm- hmm mmm………hmm……… oh!”

In a desperate attempt to shut her up, Xander kissed her. He leaned over her, broke the kiss and looked at her.
Well, she hadn’t slapped his face; that was good…

“Shall we leave the videos off now love?”

“Kay. Um…Pookie”

“Yes?”

“Will you talk to Mr Sweetly for me?”

Xander frowned, he was hoping the kiss would have had an ‘effect’ on her, but he sat up, and Harmony did so too.

“Well…I suppose I could” he said rather flatly

“I want a change of image…I’d be ever so grateful”

Xander turned to face her, thinking it was time for a bit of bullshit………

“Well, it won’t be easy of course…”

“But I’d be ever so, ever so grateful…” she shifted a little closer, and Xander spied the boobs again, and it put him off his thoughts.

“Um, I, I’d erm, well um…see, the er, um…”

“Ever so………” She was kissing him now, and Xander just felt his spine turn to jelly. She knelt up, pushed him right back on the sofa, and then lay on top of him, and Xander had every last thought leave his head………

**********

Sweetly got up off the bed, and went to a wall cabinet and opened it, selecting a case, he took it out and handed it to Cecily.

“Um, Daddy…I need a little extra…I’ve got a guest now, remember?”

“You can have more treats, when she comes to see me”

“Okay Daddy…well, this little birdie must fly…I’ll see you on Friday. I take it we’re at the usual place, the Cobra?”

Sweetly picked up the DVD’s Cecily had bought for him.

“Of course…the back room, naturally” he put one into the player

“Bye then Daddy, have fun………oh, you’ll REALLY like this one, it’s a three way, I’ve got one underneath me, one behind me, and one in my mouth…bye-ee!”

She put the DVD case Sweetly had given her into her purse, and kissing him on the cheek, she left.

“Bye Lorne. See you Friday. Hey, guess who’s back in town?”

“Whose that cup-cake?”

“Dru!”

“Really? – She all shiny new and better?”

“Well…getting there. Must run, see ya, bye!

**********

Buffy raised one leg out of the fragrant bubbly water, soaped it lavishly with a lather filled sponge, and then did the other leg. Smiling to herself, she lay back, day-dreaming about the almost kiss she’d had…

“ULP – (cough) ugh…oh (cough, cough) oh god…oh…THAT’LL teach me to fall asleep in the bath!” Buffy sat up with a start, sluiced water and bubbles from her face and coughed again. She stood and pulled the plug, she quickly dried off and went to bed, after setting the clock for 8.30am.

***

“Morning Willow, sorry I didn’t call last night, but I got in too late! – anyway, I’ve got a cell phone now, so if you need me, this is the number………and um, you may want to check out the guest on tonight’s Ethan Raine show, you might just know her, bye!”
Buffy put the phone down after leaving her friend the message and she began to check through the mail, still smiling.

Spike came dead on time to pick her up, and she was all smiles when he did! They drove to the studios in Burbank, chatting, Buffy showed no trace of nerves.

“So, kitten, you all excited, you’re first proper interview?”

Buffy’s tummy flipped when Spike called her ‘kitten’ and she beamed

“I can’t believe it’s me – it’s happening to me, I’m going to be on TV! Oh, and I had a bill this morning, well, I should say another bill, and instead of wanting to rip it up or hide it, I actually smiled at it! Now I don’t have to worry about money - That reminds me, I MUST deposit that cheque in my account there’s a branch downtown, I need some cash too”

“Ok pet, after the show, meanwhile, if you need anything, just ask, that’s what I’m here for” Spike glanced at her for a second, but then he concentrated on the road again.

“Great, I will!” She settled back in her seat, really looking forward to the day.
chapter 10 by Kings of Mercia
NOTE: We’d just like to take this opportunity to thankyou for all the lovely feedback we’re getting, we’re blown away that you are enjoying it as much as we are writing it! – Oh, and thanks also to the lovely Jen and Patty for putting up with us! - Kings of Mercia –

PS the symbols ** ** with words between indicate thoughts.


Chapter 10

Buffy was taken straight to make-up when she got into the studios, Spike began to explain what was going to happen.

“Ok love, the director will start the countdown ‘til were ‘on air’ he say five, four, but do the rest of the count just with his fingers, then point to Ethan, you’ll hear the signature tune, the audience will be clapping, and then he’ll introduce the guests. He’s got a chef in the studio today, so Ethan will introduce you, chat, then it will cut to the chef to do his bit, commercials, come back, taste what the chef has cooked then you’ll sing the song – all right? – Any questions?”

“Um when he introduces me, will I come out from behind a screen or something, or from back stage?”

“Actually no, as you are the only guest, apart from the chef, you’ll be sitting on the sofa already, he’ll introduce you, the camera will pan across and you can wave if you like, say hello” Buffy nodded, then she heard the commotion, and Spike grinned and said,

“I’ll leave you in the capable hands of um…these two. I’ll be in the green room watching ok? – Remember, just be yourself, be natural, they’ll love you!” Buffy smiled and nodded, Spike winked at her.

“What have we here then, Buffy what kind of a name is – ooohh! Woo hoo! Hello Tiger!” Andrew flounced in, looking at Buffy through the mirror, then he’d spied Spike, and pouted and flashed his eyes at him, giving him a little wave.

“Tart!” Was Larry’s comment at Andrew, and Buffy began to giggle. Spike had gone red and made a swift exit.

“Only coz I saw him first! … So, you’re Buffy?” Buffy grinned and nodded

“I’m Andrew, and he is Larry, the one with NO finesse, NO sense, and NO – OW!”

“Andrew is the one wearing his bollocks as earrings, if he carries on, what size are you chick…6?” Larry said without looking at her, and Buffy couldn’t stop giggling.

“We’ve got a giggler…right, ooh, you won that show…ahh, that nice song waiting for your solider boy was it? So pet…any ideas as to what you want to wear?”

“I trust you!”

“Don’t trust her pet!” Larry motioned with his head towards Andrew

“Didn’t you see what he did to Cindy-Lou McGraw at the Grammy’s? – She –“

“Shut it…she looked perfectly fine in that pink Vera Wang when she was blonde, then she dyes her hair black, and looks like Morticia from the Addams family!” Andrew was studying Buffy from all angles, turning her around, and squinting at her.

“Excuses, excuses…” Larry had been holding various colour cards against Buffy’s cheek

“Well…what about you, YOU put Wes Price in Ugg boots! – I mean…I ask you”
Andrew looked up at Buffy, and batted his eyes at her.

“It was winter, it was New York, it was snowing and he was wearing a fur coat…what SHOULD I have put him in, Manolo’s?”

Buffy was still smiling when the two disappeared into a huge walk-in wardrobe, still bickering.


“Take no notice of those two…close your eyes” the make-up girl said to Buffy, and she whisked a large brush with translucent face powder over her face.

“They’re funny!”

“Yes, they are, right, when you’re dressed, I’ll do your lipstick, I want to see what colour they’ve put you in, just come back in here” Buffy nodded

“Buffy!”

“Coming!” Buffy went through to the next room

“I think I should be worried…!” Larry said, but they were both smiling

“Why?” Buffy asked seriously

“Coz I totally agree with her!…Colour, style and dress – oh god! There goes my career!”
Larry raised his arm and rested his head on his forearm in a mock-tragic gesture, making Buffy giggle.

They helped her on with the dress, and she looked stunning. A simple Catherine Hamnett coatdress in a mid green, and shoes to match. Buffy looked in the mirror and thought that she’d suddenly grown six inches taller, and gasped.

“Wow! I look so much taller!”

“You like it pet?” Larry asked

Grinning and turning from side to side, Buffy said,

“No, I LOVE it!”

“Could have been made for you, treasure!” Andrew said. Buffy looked at the two of them, standing there. There was a loud wolf-whistle, and Spike leant against the doorjamb. Andrew got all flustered, Larry rolled his eyes and Buffy’s heart skipped a beat.

“You like?” She did a twirl.

“Very nice, kitten – stunning in fact! Here, I thought that you might want to look at the questions Ethan has lined up for you”

“Well sweetness, we’ll be off…see you soon!” Andrew and Larry collected their books and colour charts and made to leave.

“Oh, bye, and um thankyou!”

Andrew smouldered a look at Spike as he passed, but Spike only had eyes for the beautiful blonde girl in front of him.

“Make-up want to do my lipstick…what time are we recording?”

Spike looked at his watch and said,

“We’ve got about three-quarters of an hour yet, want to go through these?” he waved the clip-board.

“Would you mind? – I think I’d feel better knowing what’s going to be asked”

*

“Gods, I swear, if he called ME kitten, he’d hear me purr!” Andrew said to Larry as they walked down the corridor.

“As if!” Larry rolled his eyes

“A ‘girl’ can dream, can’t she?” Andrew pouted and sighed

*********

Jenny wanted to see Rupert’s reaction to the thing she was about to give him to eat.

She knew, obviously he was a man of refined tastes, he didn’t own one of the best restaurants in California for nothing. He’s passed her first ‘test’ by not wearing tweed or cavalry twill to their unusual first date, which is what she thought might be his idea of ‘casual’, and instead he’d come in jeans and a sweatshirt, topped off with a leather jacket.

All perfectly acceptable. Now, if he looked at this like it was dog-shit in a bun, then he’s ‘failed’.

“Here you go, one chilli-dog, I put everything on it” She handed him the napkin wrapped snack.

Without a qualm, Rupert bit into it, and chewed thoughtfully, then he said,

“Didn’t know you could get anything as unhealthy as this in Cali! – Mind you, not as good as the ones I’ve had in New York!” Jenny burst out laughing, he’d passed with flying colours, and she bit into her own.

***********

It was just as Spike described it to her, and the sound man and director stood by the right hand camera man. The audience were whispering, and Buffy sat waiting on the couch.
“Ok people, silence!” The audience hushed, the ‘On Air’ red light came up, and the sound man got ready with the board saying ‘APPLAUD’ .

The director got his cue from production, and crouched by the camera.
“Sound…check…VT rolling…and ready, in……… FIVE, FOUR,”
He hand gestured the three, two, one, and pointed to Ethan, the signature tune started, and the sound man held up the board telling the audience to clap. They dutifully did, giving a few cheers too. The tune faded away, and Ethan did his opening piece to camera.

“Hello, hello…(he waited for the applause to die down) thankyou, today we have delights for all your senses – In the kitchen we have Hot Chef Anton Blanc cooking up a storm for us – one of his ten-minute recipes from his new book ‘Meals in Moments’ - smells wonderful Anton!”
the audience clapped when the chef just waved from the ‘kitchen’ area they had set up in the studio, Ethan continued,

“And hot-foot straight from the recording studios, we have the run-away winner of Search For a Star – Buffy ladies and gentleman!” the camera panned to her and she waved, the audience went wild!

Ethan went and sat behind his desk, and they began to chat, they showed a little clip of her reaction to winning the show, and Ethan asked her about the song, what was the inspiration, how her life was changing, and Buffy was just natural, no trace of nerves. They came to the commercial break, and Buffy noticed Spike at the side of the stage, he grinned and gave her a double thumbs up, and she grinned back.

After the break, Buffy and Ethan stood by the kitchen, tasting the dish Anton had demonstrated and cooked, both proclaiming it delicious.

“Do you cook, Buffy?” Anton asked

“Um, well, soup! And as long as the toaster doesn’t play up and stick, toast – hmm, this is delicious…try this everyone, it’s great!” The audience laughed,

After plugging the chef’s new book, Ethan introduced Buffy again and she sang her song.
Over the closing credits, Ethan told the audience that the song would be available on the Saturday, and they whistled and cheered, Buffy and Anton waved.

“Closing credits…off air…in five…four, three, two, ON AIR sign off… one, VT end rolling…and Cut – that’s a wrap everybody – thankyou!”

Spike came on set and Buffy turned to him, he was absolutely beaming at her. He gathered up in his arms and hugged her saying,

“You’re a complete natural! I’d have thought you’d been doing that for years!” Buffy gave him a big hug back, and Spike, quick on the uptake, kissed her cheek as well, giving her a squeeze. He didn’t remove his arm from around her shoulders, and she didn’t from around his waist, when Ethan came over to them. He too was smiling.

“Well! I must congratulate you, Buffy, I’m always nervous about ‘first-timers’ – but you were terrific!”

“Wasn’t she!” Spike said, pulling her close and hugging her again, and STILL neither of them had moved their arms…it felt good, and, well, right!

“Thanks…whoops…I think they want us to um...move!” Buffy said, and they walked off, as the stagehands were dismantling the set to get it ready for the next show.

Buffy and Spike left the studio’s, and he took her down town to the bank so that she could deposit her cheque, and get some cash.

“Right, you have a date with a photographer now…” Spike said, as he pulled out into the traffic.

“Oh, my um, my clothes, I’ve left-“

“Relax, kitten, I have them in a bag for you”

“Oh, thanks. Do I send these back? – Actually, I really love it – the shoes pinch a bit, but hey – suffer for a bit of fashion, eh?”

“You can keep it love, you look sensational” Buffy felt herself blushing, but she felt very pleased.

“Gods, that Andrew and Larry, they are a scream…!”

**********

Xander didn’t know what to do. Well, no, that was a lie, he did know, he just was wondering if he did it, would he get his face slapped…

Tentatively, he put his hand on Harmony’s shoulder, and pushed a little, she stopped kissing him and said

“What?”

“Um…sorry, but, well, my back. It’s killing me on here”

“Oh, sorry!” She sat up, and Xander sat up too.

“Will you talk to Sweetly for me?” She used a wheedling tone and had these puppy-dog eyes, and Xander knew that there was something he was supposed to do.

“Sure!” Then it hit him – shit – that wasn’t it! He was supposed to be playing hard-to-get!

“Great!” Harmony beamed

“Well, sure, I mean, I’ll um, try, I’m not promising to er, well what I mean is, I don’t know if there’s anything I can say to, erm…you know, make him…see sense”

“See! You know it makes sense – and you convinced Blondie Bear!”

“Blondie – who?”

“My Spike! ‘Cept well, he’s not now…”

“Oh, er, right, yeah…yeah I did, didn’t I…yup, clever old me…convincing Spike”

“Uh huh. Anyway, I better be going to bed now”

“Right.” Xander could still feel himself rock hard, a fact that would be evident if he stood up.

“Um…Harmony”

“Pookie?”

“Could I – I mean, I don’t suppose I could…(suddenly, a good idea hit him) ah! Oh! Ow! Ouch, ooh, the pain!”

“Pookie, oh what is it?”

“Oh, it’s my back…ah, the sofa must have, ooh…I’ll be ok in a minute, I hope ooh, ahh…”

“What can I do? – Shall I call an ambulance?”

“NO! I mean, no babe…no fuss…it’ll be ok soon, it comes and goes, you know…I just hope I’m not crippled in the morning…having to sleep on the sofa at home”

“You sleep on a sofa at home?” Harmony asked, surprised

“Well, no, not usually – ouch – but my mother…”

“Oh right, your mother’s staying – well, you can stay here in my bed!”



“Oh, no, I couldn’t! – Where would you sleep?”

“In my bed! I know I’d be safe, after all, if you’ve got a bad back, you wouldn’t be able to get up to anything well…naughty now, would you?”

**Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit! By the steaming great po full!**

“Um, no…I don’t suppose I would. Unless you were to go-“ Xander just stopped himself from blurting out the words ‘on top’ and replaced them with,

“…And get me a couple of aspirin, I think I can make it home”

“Are you sure Pookie- my big brave boy!”

“Huh…right. Yeah…that’s me”

**Big, fucking stupid brainless me…**

“Um... all I’ve got is indigestion tablets………oh Pookie!” Harmony, in a sudden rush of sympathy clutched Xander’s head to her chest, running her fingers through his hair, and his once receding hard on was suddenly back with a vengeance…

He’d just about been ready to stand up, but he couldn’t.

“Um…Harm…love”

“Hmm?”

“You’d better stop!”

“Oh, am I hurting you? – Oh Pookie!” She clutched him to her with renewed fervour, making Xander’s eyes roll.

*********


“………The bluescreen is used, so whatever image we want can be super-imposed on after” Spike explained to Buffy. She was wearing a long floaty dress, her hair down, and she was standing in front of a large blue screen.

“Ok, wind machine on…” The photographer called, and his assistant turned it on low. Buffy’s dress and hair gently billowed out behind her, and after checking his light meter, the photographer took several shots.

“Can you look down now love…that’s it” He took several more shots, and then he said,

“Ok, run your fingers of one hand through your hair………arm nearest me………that’s it, that’s it, hold that…lovely – right I think that’s it” The wind machine was turned off.

“Be ready in an hour, ok?” Spike nodded to the photographer, and he and Buffy took the opportunity to go for a coffee on the 6th floor.



“So pet, have you thought any on what you might want to call your album?” Spike asked as he put her coffee down in front of her.

“Hmm…I don’t know…one of the song titles, perhaps?”

“Good, that’s a good idea…any particular one? - Oh, thankyou” Spike had been handed several sheets of paper by a messenger.

He leafed through them, glancing briefly, then he smiled up at her.

“I thought that you’d um, well could help me choose?” Buffy played with the froth on the top of her cappuccino with her spoon.

“I’d love to. Meanwhile…there’s a party you’ve been invited to, company thing, hard to say no to, in fact, Sweet wants to meet you so…it’s Friday”

“Are you going?”

“Like I say babe, you don’t say no really…so, how about we go together huh?” Buffy beamed

“Great!”

“Once you’ve met Sweet, and we’ve stayed an hour, we could…well, if you like, we could go on somewhere – if you wanted to that is…these parties sometimes get pretty rowdy see. Rack and his crowd…then there’s Gunn, and his entourage…arguments about the type of music to be played…Gunn’s lot hates death metal, Rack’s lot hates rap and hip-hop. NOBODY wants Harmony’s bouncy bubble-gum pop, and in the end we were all brain-dead from trance!”

Buffy smiled and said

“I’d like that”

“Great” Spike smiled, and looked back at the sheets he’d been given.

“Ok then, after this, we’ll go check over the photo’s, see it’s suitable and hot-foot it over to the factory and pick up the first copies of your song!”

“Wow! – Oh…erm…” A messenger handed her four A4 size photographs, and said,

“Which one do you like?”

Buffy and Spike immediately chose the same one! Against the bluescreen, the photographer had super-imposed a beach at sunset, with waves gently lapping on the shore, and a silhouette of Buffy, her hand running through her slightly billowing hair, looking out to sea.

“That one…it’s perfect, like you’re looking out for someone across the sea…” Spike said

“Yes!” Buffy readily agreed.

“Tell him number 2” Spike handed the photos back and the messenger nodded and left.

“Wow, it’s amazing what they can do! It looked like I’d been really there!”

Spike smiled and started scribbling something down on the back of one of the sheets of paper in front of him.

*********

Dru felt wretched. She looked at the line of coke prepared for her by Cecily, and tried to think things ‘rationally’.

“Look, no-ones forcing you, but that shit the doc’s got you on – it’s turned you into a zombie! You’re obviously having no fun. And I’m not saying go back to the amount you used to do, just a little toot now and again, just to keep the um…well, situation form becoming unbearable.”

“Does he know I’m back?”

“Does who know?”

“Daddy?”

“Yes, he wants to see you, he’s having a party on Friday”

Dru looked up big-eyed at Cecily.

“He wants to see me? – Even after…well, you know, what happened – do you think he’s forgiven me?”

“Darling, you were his favourite, right along with me. Anyway, he sent you flowers in hospital didn’t he?” Cecily then bit her lip, she’d forgotten that Dru had been in such a state that she probably didn’t know if it was haircut, harvest or Christmas time, the doctors had her so doped up at the beginning, Dru didn’t even know her own name…

“But…”

“Choice is yours. I’m going shopping, want to come?” Cecily busied herself about getting her purse and her shoes on. She came over to Dru.

“I’ll look after you, you can always stay here” She glanced at the island counter top, and noticed the little line had gone, and Dru was sniffing and pinching her nose, then she grinned.

“That’s better, come on, I’ll treat you” And the two girls went off to town giggling like a couple of teenagers.

**********

At the security door, Spike punched in a six-digit number, and the door buzzed then popped open, he pulled it wide and let Buffy go in first.

“Hey pet, listen, can you hear what’s playing?” Spike asked, grinning at her.

Buffy went big-eyed!

“My song! Oh my god! It’s my song!”

“Sure is, come on, this way!” Spike pushed open a fire door, and then he opened a door marked ‘Production’. Her song now echoed all over the huge factory floor.

“Stay within the yellow lines pet, coz the stacker trucks whiz along here piled high with crates to load the trucks” Spike pointed to the floor, and Buffy nodded. They were heading for a small office on the factory floor.

“Hi!” Spike said and a woman with long dark hair and glasses wearing a white lab coat looked up from examining a picture.

“Spike! How are you – I’ve just been faxed over the photo for the cover of the CD”

“Great! I’m fine thanks Fred; I’ve bought Buffy to see her single being produced! - Let me introduce you, Fred, this is Buffy, Buffy, this is Fred, Chief Production manager” the two shook hands, and Fred said,

“I love your song!” Buffy beamed and said ‘thankyou’

“So, you want to see the process?” Fred asked Buffy

“Oh yes!”

“Well, I tell you what, I’ll stay here and make a few phone calls, I’ll leave you two ladies to it, ok?” Spike sat behind Fred’s desk

“Come on…not much to see really, but…” the two left and Fred showed Buffy this huge machine that could produce 10,000 CD’s an hour.

“It’s amazing how quiet it is in here, apart from the stacker-trucks” Buffy said, and watched as CD’s flopped into open cases, and were then flipped to shut them before being placed into boxes of two dozen.

A red light came on and a buzzer sounded.

“We’re just in time, that’s the last of that one. Now it’s your CD next, come on follow me…” Buffy dutifully followed Fred to a glass fronted room.

“We won’t go in there, the fumes from the inks can get a little over-powering… but see, that’s the photo of you we were faxed, what, forty minutes ago? – It’s been laser-printed onto those huge sheets – with all the necessary details printed on the back too…see what that guy’s doing?”

Buffy craned her neck to see a guy setting a huge thick block of the printed photos and details onto a table, where he punched in some numbers, and the block was cut up into a pieces the size of the open CD case.

“When it’s cut to size, each piece is then laid into an open CD or ‘jewel’ case as they are know, then the open cases travel on down to the CD processing machine………”

They walked further down to where they started.

“There you go, Buffy…your CD!” Fred walked over to where the first boxes were being packed up, and she took out two, and handed them to her.
Buffy was slightly overwhelmed and smiled, and whispered ‘thankyou’.

“I want one of those!” both ladies turned to see Spike walking towards them, grinning.

“Hey, cheapskate, buy one!” Buffy said playfully elbowing Spike gently!

“I need to get back to the office, so, ready kitten?”
Buffy nodded and turned to Fred and said,

“Thankyou for showing me the process, it’s amazing, and um, thanks for these! Buffy held up the two CD’s. Spike had ‘helped himself’ to a copy and then after saying goodbye, they left to go back over to the studios.

“Want that autographed?” Buffy asked cheekily

“Of course…want to get the maximum when I sell it on Ebay!”

“Bloody cheek!” They giggled and teased each other all the way back to the office. Each absolutely loving the easy banter they had.

“Actually babe, I need a copy of your signature, we can get stamp made up, for the autographing of photo’s and that”

**********

“Whoops – you ok?” Harmony asked as Xander plonked down on her bed.

“F-fine…um, fine…” She bent and pulled his shoes off, and Xander began to unbutton his shirt.

“Can you do your pants?”

“Y-yes…um, Harm…I um, I go Commando”

“Huh?”

“I d-don’t, you know…wear underwear”

“That’s alright Pookie, I don’t wear anything in bed eit-oh…um…I’ll find a tee shirt or something…”
She left the room, and Xander quickly took his jeans off and slipped under the covers. He was willing his cock to go down, but when Harmony came back in wearing the skimpiest of tops and a thong, he groaned and squeezed his eyes shut. Harmony got into bed, turned her back to him and turned off the light.

“Night Pookie…try and sleep little lamb”

**Yes, right…here I am…in bed, naked, with Harmony…who’s as good as naked - fuck - shut up…ok…think…**
Xander tried to think of all the things that would make his hard-on disappear………
Sweetly grinning at him…not reaching the monthly targets………Rack thinking I called him a talentless git…oh thank god! Xander’s erection began to subside, and he tried to relax. Harmony began to emit a little soft snore, and she shifted slightly, her bare warm thigh and buttock was now touching his leg…and it was ‘HELLO’ Mr. Stiffy again…Xander grimaced and screwed his eyes up, and slowly, SLOWY he moved his hand towards it. If he could give it a little squeeze…
It was then Harmony turned over and flung her arm around his middle, her elbow not an inch away from his straining cock.
He let out a whine, and in her sleep Harmony patted his tummy, mumbling

“Poor Pookie”

**Poor Pookie…! Fuck, I’m DYING HERE!** thus was how Xander spent his night, with a rampant hard-on, paralysed in fear that she’d find out and kick him out, so he could do nothing else than lie on his back, else he’d be exposed as a fraud, every time he went to touch his dick, Harmony stopped snoring and he feared she was awake…

**************

Cecily and Dru were giggling like teenagers again after trying on all their purchases in Cecily’s lounge. They were swigging alternately out of a bottle of brandy, and a bottle of wine.

“Wha’ d’ya think…f’ Friday?” Dru held up her foot with a sparkly sandal on. All she was wearing, was a tiny thong and a feather boa.

“S’great…but won’t ya be a bit cold!” They shrieked with laughter

“No, no…the shoe, silly!” Dru waggled her foot

“Jus’ the one?” They collapsed again, and then Cecily suddenly remembered the DVD case Sweet had given her.

“Ooh…Dru…look what I got…goodies from Daddy!” She carefully opened the case, and found a 5gm bag of Coke, a phial of Amyl Nitrite, a dozen ecstasy tablets, six tabs of LSD, strong sleeping tablets and some Columbian red to smoke.

“Lets have a smoke!”
chapter 11 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 11

After skipping lunch, Buffy went straight to rehearsing the new songs for her album, and then Spike said she could go at four o’clock, as she wanted to do some shopping.

She wanted something to wear for the party, and just to generally spoil herself with some luxury bath products, cosmetics and frivolities like scented candles, stuff that she’d had to deny herself when money was tight.

She sat in the food court with a coffee, her myriad of shopping bags on two other seats. Buffy took out her cell phone, and called up her friend.

“Hi Will, where are you?”

“Lecture hall three, well, tell a lie, outside lecture hall three, I’m just on my way home”

“Come and meet me! I’m in the Food Court at the mall…I can tell you what’s been going on!”

“Oh great, give me twenty minutes!”

*********

It was just after six, and Spike closed down his computer, yawned and stretched, there was a knock at his door, and a messenger entered with a two-inch thick parcel, handed it to him and left.

“Thankyou” Spike opened it, and smiled, it was 250 photos of Buffy, taken from a ‘still’ when she was on Ethan Raine’s show. She looked beautiful, natural and happy. Spike had been just going to go home, but thought that another half an hour wouldn’t hurt, and he got out the rubber-stamp of Buffy’s signature they’d had made, and he began to stamp the corners of the photos.

Normally this would have been a secretary’s job he’d have had done tomorrow, but Spike thought that it would give him an excuse to drop by Buffy’s house later, after all, he’d promised those young fans of hers some pictures………

********

“Have you got that, Warren?” Lorne asked

“Yes, yes, I know, treble security, it’ll be easier to get into Fort Knox than the back room, have no fear…I’ll want the ‘usual’ payment’ of course”

“You will - we’ll supply the DJ, we don’t want the music fiasco that happened last time – we’d have been better off with a karaoke”

“Sure, whatever”

“Oh yes, and he wants six cases of Champagne. Dom Perignon, or Bollinger, not that Spanish Cava you pass off as bubbly, he’ll know”

“Okay! Jeez”

“I’m just telling you for your own good Warren…we wouldn’t want anything to happen to you, now would we?”

“Meaning?”

“Meaning, Sweet has mucho influence, friends and interests in this city… wouldn’t do to try and screw him”

“I hear you’re the one doing that, literally, one of many!”

“Don’t get smart, that mouth of yours will get you into trouble one of these days, Mr MEERS!”
Lorne put the phone down, and Warren looked horrified, how the HELL, did Lorne know that his real name was Meers and not Walsh…

“SHIT! BASTARD!” Warren kicked out at the office safe. He’d been SO careful to keep his real name covered as there was that outstanding warrant in England for his arrest for murder.

He’d REALLY have to be careful now, and play things absolutely straight with Sweet and co…a thought that made him sick.

Willy was a little worried, he’d heard Warren swearing, and he thought as his boss had the takings books out on the desk that he’d been found out about his ‘fiddle’. He decided to brazen it out, and knocked on the office door.

“Yes?” Warren asked irritably

“Can I have the floats for the cash registers?”

“Here” Warren threw him the key to the safe.

“Friday” Warren said

“Boss?”

“I want YOU to do the bar in the back room, it’s for Sweet’s after-award party, and I want everything to be perfect, if they ask for champagne, then that’s what they’ll have, no Cava shit, the real McCoy, and NO watering down the drinks, even if the punter is shit-faced and out of his tree – do you hear me?”

Willy raised his brows – but thought it best to comply, well, at least in words, anyway…

“Sure thing boss…can I go now? – got to fill up the mixers and that”

“Yeah”

This surprising instruction set Willy thinking, he wondered just what had Sweet and his cronies had got over his boss………


**********

Buffy luxuriated in the bubbly scented water, she popped a chocolate into her mouth and relaxed, lying back, thinking ‘This is the life’.

Spike went home, grabbed a sandwich, had a shower and changed, and then phoned Buffy.

“………I like to keep my promises, and they’re ready see, I tried out the new rubber stamp of your signature on them – you can’t tell the difference, you’d think they’d just been signed”

“Great, there are a few kids hanging around outside actually, come on over!”

“See you in twenty minutes!”

They were both smiling when they put their phones down. Buffy unfurled the towel turban on her head and rubbed briskly at her hair, She slipped on her jeans and a crop-top, and put on a slick of lipgloss and a couple of coats of mascara. Bending over, she dried her hair, to give it some volume. She’d just unplugged the hairdryer when she saw the flash of headlights across her bedroom wall, and the low purr of the sports car’s engine.
She went down and opened the front door, and was surprised and delighted to see not Spike at first, but a HUGE bouquet of mixed flowers.

“Hi!”

“Oh, look, talking flowers – come in!” Buffy beamed at him

“These are for you, congratulations on your first single” Spike handed over the flowers.

“Gorgeous!”

“I know…I can’t help it!” Spike fluttered his lashes, making Buffy giggle.

“The flowers, silly…although, I suppose you could pass for ok!”
Buffy teased, and Spike grabbed her bare waist and tickled her, making Buffy squirm and scream out laughing.

“Give in! I give in!” The pair of them was now in the kitchen, both laughing.

“Do you now, huh!”

Buffy looked wondrously at the cut mixed blooms, roses, lilies, orchids, their heady perfume was almost intoxicating. She carefully laid them on the island, opening the cupboard under the sink for some vases.

“They’re beautiful”

“Like you then” Spike said, not taking his eyes off her.

She smiled, blushed, mumbled a ‘thankyou’, and began to snip off the ends of the stalks and strip leaves off the long stems so they wouldn’t rot in the water.

Spike sat himself down on one of the stools by the breakfast bar, and watched while she arranged the flowers between the two vases. When she’d finished, she went over to him, stood between his legs and gave him a soft gentle kiss.

They looked at each other for a second or two, and Spike homed in again, and they began kissing with mounting passion, she was glad that she was holding him around the shoulders, when his tongue swept into her mouth, her knees felt ready to give way.

She broke the kiss and Spike whispered a breathless in her ear

“Oh Buffy! I’ve been longing to do that!” Buffy closed her eyes and held him to her, and then she rested her forehead against his.

“Me too. Spike…is this, well, is this how it is with all your other singers?”

“What do you mean pet?”

“I mean well, you’re with them practically 24/7 for the first few weeks, and-“

“I can stop you right there pet. I’ve never done before what I’ve done with you. Usually, I’m just the manager, if I spend half an hour- say and hour a day tops, usually with my singers, I’ve never taken anyone to the studios, or the factory it’s all done with what we call ‘minders’.”

“So why me?” Buffy asked

“Because from the second I set eyes on you, I knew you were something special. Not just the business side of things, I know if it’s what you want, you have a great singing career in front of you. I mean, well, I want to get to know you. If it’s not what you want, tell me now, and I’ll sort out a minder for you, and I won’t bother you again, except for business.”

“But what’s so special about me? – You must have hundreds of women after you?”

“Not hundreds, pet…a few, maybe………nobody’s ever taken my interest like you – I don’t want to put any pressure on you, if it’s not what you want, I totally understand, and it won’t harm your career”

“It is. What I want. I’d like there to be an us, but I want to take things slowly, and I’d like to keep it just between ourselves…if too many people get to know – I’ve seen it all before at work, well, when I was at the school, embryonic relationships ruined by gossip”

“I totally agree…” Spike said nodding, he was happy to comply

“Good” Buffy still had her arms loosely around his neck, when her stomach rumbled. She rolled her eyes, and Spike snatched a quick kiss and said,

“Hungry, pet?”

“I had a sandwich at the food court, but yes, I am a bit, you?”

“I’m the same. Grabbed a sandwich earlier…got anything in?” He nodded towards the fridge.

“Not much…” She went over to the fridge and pulled it open.

“Juice…eggs, pack of ham…some cheddar, a bag of ready washed salad, few mushrooms…tomatoes…milk, and the pizza needs throwing – it’s from before the show!” she took the box out and put it on the side.

“Like omelettes?” Spike asked

“I love them, don’t tell me, you cook?” she grinned at him

“Has been known! – Tell you what, you go out there, and distribute some of these to your adoring fans, and I’ll whip you up an omelette faster than you can say ‘Your culinary expertise absolutely astounds me!” Buffy giggled and took some of the photos to take outside. Spike washed his hands and set about his task.

***********

Jenny woke, stretched and luxuriated in the fact that she hadn’t had to wake up to an alarm clock, for a change. When she felt a strong arm around her waist, she turned over and smiled.

“Morning”

“Hi”

“Sleep well?”

“Eventually!”

Giles smiled, and then looked slightly worried.

“I wasn’t, you know, too much for you, was I?”

“Twice on the trot, and then again an hour later…nope, not too much…you’re a right regular little tiger when roused, aren’t you!”

She made to get out of bed, but Giles stayed her with his arm.

“Don’t get up yet, please?”

“I just need the bathroom, honey, I’ll be back – promise” She lightly kissed his nose, and Giles let her go.

Although he couldn’t see, Jenny was grinning all the way into the bathroom, ok, she’d been totally wrong about older men, and this man, well - he definitely knew what he was doing, and he had stamina by the bucket-load!

**********

Glory Benson stood on-set, checking her script, the make-up lady was powdering her face, and there were stagehands milling about, and the director and soundman were in deep discussion.

“Ok everybody, at last, rolling in five” the director called

“He’s here then – about bloody time…keeping me waiting” Glory threw the clipboard down on the sofa and allowed the make-up lady to re-new her trademark red lipstick.

“Clear the set, rolling in three minutes”

Glory fixed in her earpiece in, and looked at the director, who said,

“Opening credits, your piece introducing what you’ve got on and then got to VT of Gunn’s new single, then introduce him” Glory nodded

“Quiet on set everybody – rolling in one minute” there was a slight commotion off-stage, and Glory shot one of her icy glares in the general direction.

“Can somebody get those people away from the stage…and QUIET- TWENTY SECONDS – Places please – clear the set…ready-“ From the chaos suddenly everything was ready, with Glory standing and waiting to do her piece to camera.

“VT Rolling…and Five, four – cut to credits, music…and one –“ The director pointed at Glory.

“Hi –Glory Benson with another edition of ‘Chart Countdown’. On tonight’s show we have two more contenders for the Independent Radio Awards Best Song category, our usual run down of the Indie and Billboard charts, and later I’ll be chatting to Mobo award contender, and the quiet man of rap, Gunn”

Glory turned her head to the right and the camera panned to a screen, showing a clip of Gunn’s new video, ‘Urban Decay’ a typical scene, the slick black guy, head to toe in designer gear and covered in ‘bling’, arms outstretched, gesticulating with his fingers, while scantily clad girls gyrated around him while he walked along a row of boarded up and graffiti covered shops, while he rapped to a stilted beat. The camera panned back to Glory, and she looked straight at camera.

“Ladies and gentlemen, tonight’s guest, Gunn” he came on-set, and sat down on the sofa. Glory seated herself opposite.

“They call you the quiet man of rap, why?”

“I guess, because I’m quiet”
Gunn said, softly. Glory fixed him with a look and knew she wanted to give this guy a rough ride. He’d ‘dissed’ her by being late, so she wasn’t going to go easy on him, which she didn’t. She grilled him on his lyrics, repeating the press’s view that they were typically misogynistic, and homophobic, and when she stated that she thought that he swanning around in a fur coat and enough bling valued high enough to take at least three families out of the poverty he sang about was hypercritical, Gunn had had enough and he unclipped his microphone and stormed off-set. Without turning a hair, Glory cut to the ‘break’ and the commercials were shown.
All hell broke loose backstage.

“Glory! Can’t you apologise?” the director pleaded.

“No! Jumped up, two-bit, over-rated talentless prat had it coming!”

Some of Gunn’s entourage were going crazy, making threats to her, which made Glory even madder, and she flipped them a middle finger.

“Gonna get you, you Mother-fuckin’ bitch – when I do, I’m gonna kick your lop-sided, skanky little ass!” one of them shouted

“Yeah? Fuck off, you don’t frighten me…” Dropping her voice to little above a mumble, she said,
“Getting so tired of this”

One of Gunn’s entourage broke free of security and ran on set, making threats, but he was soon hauled off. The director was going frantic trying to get order.

“Back on air in five, four………one – Glory” Glory smiled to the camera and did her next piece, you could still hear the commotion going on backstage, and Glory took it all in her stride, she was controversial, she didn’t care, or was in the slightest bit worried. The poor director however, was sweating profusely, and almost having a heart attack.

The rest of the show passed without incident, and Glory stalked off set into the greenroom.

“Gunn…darling” Glory kissed him on the cheek, and perched on his lap.

The director saw this and was almost incandescent with rage.

“All that, that – that was a put up?”

“Of course, darling…we’re from the same stable…All Sweet’s idea…keeps us in the news!”

“Ok, but off my man, now!” Nikki Wood looked deadly serious, and then she too laughed and hugged Glory.

“How are you girl?”

“Oh, you know…earning a living…”

“You were a bit hard on my man!”

“Hey, he was late…!” They laughed and joked, and the poor director began to think he was getting too old for this lark…

“Um, just checking, those guys, your entourage, they do know it was all a put up, don’t they?” Glory asked Gunn.

“I assume so, I’ve never laid eyes on any of them before, my homies are just that, at home!”

************

“Oh god…this has to be the best omelette I’ve ever tasted!” Buffy pointed to the cheese, ham and mushroom concoction with her fork. He’d served it with a side salad, and as there was nothing else stronger, they had juice to drink. Spike grinned and said,

“Thanks. So, how many photo’s did you give out?”

“About a dozen, it’s getting dark so they tend to drift away. I was thinking of giving some to the lady next door, she was the one that phoned the police. If she has some to give out, the kids might go away and leave them in peace.”

“Good idea! Listen babe, it’s getting late, and I’ve got a bit to do at home, so I’ll be off after I’ve finished this, and I’ll send a car for you in the morning, so we don’t get the gossip-mongers started” Buffy nodded.

They finished their meal, and Spike gave her a run-down of what she’d got to do the following day. She’d got three interviews, another TV appearance and rehearsals.

“Night then, baby…see you in the morning” Buffy saw him to the door, and they had a nice kiss, nothing too passionate, she wanted things to go slowly, well, he wasn’t about to blow it now…

**********


Spike was in the office bright and early the following morning, he’d caught up with his work and was just putting some work in his filing cabinet, when he spied out of the window, both Xander and Harmony getting out of the same car, Harmony helping Xander like he was an invalid. Spike grinned. Cordelia knocked and came in, bringing papers for him to sign.

“And how come you’re so cheerful this morning?”

“Its Xander…I think he’s cracked it!”

“Cracked what?”

“Well, if things have gone according to plan…” Spike went onto explain. They both heard the lift ‘ding’ outside, and Cordelia, hardly keeping the grin off her face when she left Spike’s office. Xander tiptoed in. He was walking in a very peculiar manner. A widely grinning Spike met him at the door.

“My god…what has she done to you!” Spike pulled out a chair, but Xander shook it and went to go to the toilet.

“Blue-balls…I won’t be long…give me two minutes…”

Spike frowned. After about thirty seconds, Spike heard a loud gasp from the restroom, and thirty seconds after that, Xander came through to the office, well staggered would be nearer the mark……….

“Oh gods…I’ve had a terrible night!” Xander collapsed in his chair.

Spike studied his friend, and said,

“I’ve got a feeling I’m going to regret asking this, but go on, what happened?”

“Well…it started off ok. I did as you said, and I went down to the video editing room, and she was all over me…”

“Can we cut to the chase?”

“Ok, I’m getting there…so we get back to her place. She suggested my place, but I panicked, so I said we couldn’t, because of my mother”

“You told her you still live with-“ Spike began

“NO! Look, I told her my mom had flown in from Dallas and was staying at mine, and she’d have jet-lag and be in a bad-“

“Jet-lag? From Dallas?”

“Yes, alright, I know it was stupid to say that now – but-do you want to hear this or what –“

“Sorry, sorry, carry on!”

“So, we get to hers, order Chinese, do you know, she doesn’t eat meat, but she eats chicken, well, she ate a chicken stir-fry, she says it’s not real meat, like Kentucky fired chicken meat, so it doesn’t count?”

“Xander! I’ve got a party to go to tomorrow night, GET ON WITH IT!”

“Well, she’s on about changing her career, so I’m sitting there, watching all her videos of her songs –“

“All of them – oh god, you poor man!”

“Shush, do you want me to tell you?”

“Sorry, yes, please continue”

“Well…after two hours, I’m sort of brain dead from-“

“TWO HOURS! – I’d have been climbing the walls after two min – sorry, I’ll shush, sorry, do go on!”

“So, I grab her and kiss her, just to shut her up” Spike grinned

“Good. And?”

“And what – it all went down hill from there. So she’s lying on top of me, kissing-“

“Oh god, you poor bloke! Don’t tell me you couldn’t…you know…get…” Spike raised his brows and nodded to Xander’s crotch.

“No – that was the problem – I could, I did – all bloody night I had one, but I digress. I didn’t want to do it on the sofa, not when there’s a nice bed in the next room. But she doesn’t seem to be wanting to make a move, so I push her shoulder and we sit up. I tell her my backs hurting.

Spike frowned and said,

“And?”

“Well, she asks if I’ll have a word with Sweet about changing her image, and she sort of got me all confused because of her boobs, and I say ‘yes, sure, course’ – so I’ve spoiled my chances, she thinks she’s done enough…“

“I told you to make it sound like Sweet wouldn’t-“

“I KNOW! So, anyway, realising I’d made a mistake, I back-pedal and say I’ll try my best. Well, she’s all over me again, and I couldn’t stand up, coz, well, you know, she’d have seen me, well, my, well, I was aroused . I didn’t want her to slap my face. “ Xander could see the look on Spike’s face, so he continued,

“So then I had this brilliant idea – or so I thought, to get into her bedroom”

“Which was?”

“To um…to pretend my back had totally ‘gone’.”

Spike was more confused than ever.

“How would that get you-“

“I told her that I’d have to sleep on the sofa because my mother was staying at mine – and –“

“But well, how were you supposed to shag her rotten if you had a bad back?”

“I KNOW that NOW…she got me to bed, after stating she knew she’d be ‘safe’ as I couldn’t do anything ‘naughty’ because of my back…so I had to lie there, all night, staring at the ceiling, with a raging hard on…every time I went to you know…get some relief, she’s stop snoring and I thought she was awake…she’d rub her leg against mine…or her boobs against my arm…all bloody night I lay there…hard as a rock…all bloody night!

Spike snorted a laugh, stifled it by covering his mouth, but then he couldn’t help but titter and then laugh.

“That’s it, go on, laugh – I’ve been in agony all night!”

“Oh Xander…sorry but, well…it’s – you were lying naked, in bed, with Harmony, with a fully functioning dick, and you STILL didn’t - ” he started laughing again.

“It’s bloody hilarious is it? Ok then Einstein, what would YOU have done?”

“Well…you said she was lying on top of you, kissing you, to help persuade you to talk to Sweet, and you’d got a stiffy?”

“Yes, so, come on, I’m waiting!”

“Well, for starters, I wouldn’t have said I’d got a bad back…I’d have made her aware of the fact that I was aroused!”

“But she might have slapped me!”

“Xander! It was her doing the kissing! Her giving you the hard-on! She could hardly complain - you could have called her a cock-tease!

I’d have pressed her to me, whispered something like, ‘oh baby, can you feel what you’re doing to me? – Balls in her court then. She can either jump up and say, yes well, thanks but not interested goodnight…or lead you to the bedroom”


Xander blinked at Spike.
It could have been that simple, less than a dozen words……... Xander leaned forward and banged his head slowly and repeatedly on the desk.

He was still doing it when Cordelia walked in a few seconds later.

“What’s wrong with him?” She smiled when she could see Spike was trying very hard not to laugh.

“DON’T YOU DARE!” Xander sat up and warned him.

Spike held his hands up, still grinning. Cordelia rolled her eyes, but smiled, when Spike mouthed ‘tell you later’ to her, so she nodded, put some papers for him to sign on the desk and left.

Still smiling, Spike began to tap away at his computer. His phone rang, and when he answered it, Cordelia said,

“I have an extremely annoyed Anyanka who’s in Lausanne, Switzerland on the phone for you, Spike”

Spike frowned and picked up.

“Anya – what can I-”

“You, you, you – HOW COULD YOU!”

Still puzzled, Spike said,

“How could I what, love?”

“Bloody Tinkerbell – That’s what!” Spike was beginning to think Anyanka had taken leave of her senses and found a stash of Sweet’s crazy-dust at the chalet, when she finally said,

“Sending that bloody teeny-bop Tinkerbell up to collect MY AWARD, I mean, WHAT are you thinking?”

Oh, that.
Spike felt a little guilty at what he was about to do, but he figured that Xander was already having a bad day, so this could hardly make it worse.

“Oh, well, sorry, but it was all Xander’s idea! He’s got this notion to change Harmony’s image, so, I’ll just transfer you across to his desk…”
Spike pressed for Cordelia to transfer the call, which she dutifully did. As soon as Xander’s phone began to ring, Spike high-tailed it out of the office….

************

When Buffy came up to the office from rehearsals, she found Spike and Cordelia giggling like a couple of kids. She smiled

“Hi…so, good joke?” Cordelia stood and said,

“I must be off, I’ll get you a coffee- is it? (Buffy nodded) – Spike will tell you!” Which he did.

“You rotten pair!” Buffy said, but she was giggling too.

“So then, I figured his day couldn’t get any worse, so when Anya phones up in a blue funk over the fact that Harmony’s going to collect her award on her behalf while she’s in Switzerland, I get Cordy to transfer the call across to Xander, because it was supposed to be his idea!”

“Oh what a shame!” Buffy said, but they were still giggling!

“Ah ha, THERE YOU ARE…gotta bone to pick with you!”

Buffy and Spike looked up to see Xander standing with his hands on his hips, glaring at Spike, they grinned at him.

“Um…aren’t you due to do that interview for CD USA about now?” Spike asked Buffy.

“Um…uh huh…” While Xander was distracted getting himself a coffee, Spike and Buffy snuck out and took the back stairs down to the office, giggling.

“Thanks to you, I’ve had to promise - Spike…where’d he go? Spike…Spike - I’ll bloody kill him when I catch up with him!”

Cordelia entered the café and helped herself to coffee.

“First sign of going mad that Xand, talking to yourself!” She said cheerfully, and went and sat by him.
Chapter 12 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 12

“Right, let me just check this thing is working………one, two, one two” Jenny said into the hand-held microphone. She rewound and played back, and it was fine. Buffy and Jenny Calendar were sitting in the 6th floor café at Aphrodite Records; this was Buffy’s second interview that day.

“Ok then Buffy, I’ll leave you in Jenny’s capable hands, when you’ve finished, come down to the office and then we can go over to the West Lot studios for the kids thing, ok?” Buffy smiled and nodded, Spike winked at her and left.

“It’s all go for you at the moment, I bet!” Jenny said, and Buffy said ‘yes’.

*************


“Call from Sweet, putting you through” Cordelia said to Spike

“Thanks”…he heard the click, and then Sweet said,

“Spike”

“Sweet”

“How’s Betty doing?”

“That would be Buffy, and she’s doing fine. Rehearsals are well on schedule, she’s doing interviews as we speak, got the children’s show ‘Buzz’ to do this afternoon, and her single comes out tomorrow and she’ll be at the Indie Awards and after-show party tonight”

“Good, good, you’ll bring her to meet me personally”

Spike gave a small shudder. He disliked Sweet intensely, and didn’t like the fact that Buffy would have to meet him. But he knew the meeting was inevitable, and he’d rather be there when it happened.

“Will do. Is there anything else?”

Sweet wondered whether to ask if he’d seen Dru yet, but Lorne appeared in the doorway of his study, with his ‘dealer’ so he just said,

“No. See you tonight” The line went dead. No goodbye.

Spike put his receiver down muttering ‘ignorant wanker’, then got on with some work, made a few phone calls, one special one in particular. Roughly twenty minutes later, he heard Buffy’s voice talking to Cordelia in her office, and he finished up what he was doing and closed down his computer. He’d just stood up when Buffy knocked his door.

“Come in”

“Hi, are you ready?”

He grinned at her and said,

“Willing and able pet” Buffy smiled

“Um, can I bum a lift over to the studios, I need to get myself a good pitch for tonight” Jenny asked.

“No problem, ok lets go”

*********


“POOKIE!” Xander stopped in his tracks, half way down the corridor, and turned to see Harmony, her hair in rollers covered in a scarf.

“Harmony, what can I do for you?” he was finding it difficult to look her in the eye, and scratched the back of his head, looking at his feet…

“Are we having a limo to take us tonight, or are we going in your car?”

“I’m sorry? – Tonight, what’s-“

“The Indie Radio Awards, silly pumpkin! – You, you are coming with me, aren’t you?”

“Oh that! Yes, course…I’ve ordered us a limo. Um…remember what Spike said, I mean, I said, you have got something suitable to wear tonight?”

“Oh Pookie, it’s LOVELY! It’s very low cut, slashed to the waist, backless, in fact, and it’s um, well, slashed to the waist from the bottom up too, and it’s long, and all floaty, and sort of all held together with a diamante pin thing in the middle…”

Xander looked wide eyed, didn’t sound much to it at all, backless and all the slashes…he could feel himself start to harden at the thought of all that flesh on show…

“Pookie…I said how’s your back?”

“What – sorry – oh, um, my back. Er, my back is…fine, it’s fine now, thanks”

“Good, maybe we can have a boogie at the party after!”

“Yes! I think we perhaps can…yes indeed…yes sir-ree…a boogie, well maybe.” Xander had that inane grin on his face.

“Well, I better go, what time will you come for me?”

“Um, er-“

“The awards start at 7.30pm, and we MUST be seen on the red-carpet first”

“6.30pm then, will that do?”

“Great…bye then!”

“Yeah, bye…bye then” Xander walked down the corridor, wondering if he could get Cordelia to teach him how to dance in………………five hours.

***

“Why not?”

“Why not? – I’ll tell you why not Xander, I have work to do, that’s why not” Cordelia straightened some papers and stapled them together before slipping them into an envelope. She rolled her eyes as he still stood by her desk, with pleading puppy-dog eyes.

“Why do you suddenly need to learn to dance now? Oh, look. It’s easy! Just put some music on, and move your body in time to the beat – how hard can that be…or, you could still pretend your backs bad”

“Trouble is…I never know what to do with my arms…I either end up looking like a demented windmill, or I try and keep them still and – hold on, what do you mean – bad back, how do you know about that?”

Busted

“Um…well…I, well, I – I s-saw you were walking in a, strange way yesterday morning, I asked Spike, he said you had a b-bad back” Cordelia had her back to Xander, and she bit her bottom lip, and had her eyes screwed up.

Xander stared at her, and decided to give her the benefit of the doubt.

“I know!” Cordelia suddenly slammed the filing cabinet draw shut and whirling around and dazzling him with a grin, she said brightly,

“Go down to the choreographers – if they’re busy, maybe you could borrow some of their tapes”

Xander raised a brow…actually, that wasn’t a bad idea at all.

“Yeah…yeah, thanks Cordy…see you later” he left her office, and Cordelia slumped in her chair, blowing air up her face, she said to herself,

“Phew…nearly dropped yourself and Spike in it there, old gal!”

************

Cecily leaned against the doorjamb while she brushed her teeth. She was looking at Dru who was lying on the bed, apparently asleep.
She’d got her an appointment to see a doctor, one that dealt with the adult movie studio, and knew he wouldn’t ask too many questions, awkward or otherwise, the thing that Dru seemed to dread most. She was just going to go back into the bathroom, when Dru shifted and lay on her back.

“Mummy said the angels are waiting…soon…she said there’s a bad thing going to happen. Can you see the pretty angels………all the pretty angels, waiting?” Cecily frowned, and came and sat on the bed by her friend.

“Angels?” She looked out of the window at the sky, to where Dru seemed to be looking.
“They’re not angels, pet…they’re clouds…look, just wispy white clouds”
Dru said nothing else, but closed her eyes and turned over, and went back to sleep.

“That’s it love, you rest …” Cecily was frowning, she patted Dru’s shoulder and stood up and went to get dressed.

***********

Warren was like a cat on hot bricks. He nervously flitted around, checking and re-checking things to make sure they were spot on and Sweet would have nothing to complain about. There were six cases of real Champagne chilling in the cooler, and now, much to Willy’s unease, he was behind the bar checking the spirits were just that, neat spirits and not watered down grog.

“What’s this?”
Warren held up an unmarked glass bottle, and before Willy could stop him, he’d taken a swig – all the air left his lungs and he went very red I the face as he tried to breathe and cough.

“Bloody –huh…oh…fuckin’ (cough, cough) for gods…uh…(cough, cough) JESUS, WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?”

He’d nearly choked on its potency. His eyes were watering, his throat burned and his tongue was numb.

Willy shifted uneasily from foot to foot.

“Hooch…200 proof Polish spirit. I use it for the cocktails…it’s very strong, and once a drinks all tarted up with various syrups, juices and half a garden full of fruit, well, punters can’t taste the difference”

Warren coughed again, wiped his mouth on the back of his hand, and scowled at the weasely little sod.

“No doubt leaving it easy for you to drink the proper stuff when my backs turned. Get rid of it”

“But boss I swear, nobody has ever -“

“I DON’T CARE, I told you I want everything spot on and legit, so GET RID OF IT!” he thrust the bottle at Willy’s chest and stormed off.

Willy poured the liquid into an empty, labelled vodka bottle, and put it at the back of the shelf, nobody would be any the wiser, HE wasn’t about to change the habit of a lifetime, not for Warren Walsh, not for anyone. He didn’t know what these people had over his boss to make him jump through hoops the way he was doing, but he knew one thing, it definitely must be something big…………

Warren was talking to an absolutely huge, bald black guy wearing sunglasses; he must have been as wide as he was tall.

“So, if they’re not on the guest-list, they don’t get in, understand – even if it was the Prince of England or whatever, and watch the tickets…here’s one, DON’T let that barman of mine see it. He sometimes tips off the paparazzi, we don’t want any of them in, got it?”

“Yeah man, I got it”

“Good. Tell the others” Warren walked off; leaving the huge guy to contact his crew via the walkie-talkie he was carrying.


*********

Spike slipped the jacket off the hanger and put it on. He checked the time, it was nearly ten passed six, picking up his keys and cell-phone he left the lamp on in the lounge, and left.

Just as he closed the front door, he heard his telephone ringing. He stopped for a second, hesitating whether to go back and answer it, but decided that 1). He didn’t have the time, as he wanted to get to Buffy’s for 6.30, and 2). If it were important, anybody in the know would have his cell-phone number, and 3). The Ansaphone would pick it up, not that he hardly ever bothered to listen to the messages; mostly surveys and people who wanted to sell him insurance.

Spike heard the beep and his own voice, then he ran downstairs and out to his car.

‘I’m unable to take your call at the moment, but if you leave your name and number after the tone, I’ll get back to you’………BEEP.

“Ah, um, hello, hello, um is that you William? I think I recognise the voice, it’s been a while since I spoke to you……... Sorry, I should have said, it’s Charles St John, Lord Netherbourne here…I’m sorry to ask you this, I know you’ve done so much in the past, and I hate to ask, but I’m in a bit of a fix, I’ve been left this letter, given to me by my housekeeper, and from what I can make out, Drusilla’s in- Click BEEP.BEEP.BEEP. ‘Message tape ends, please rewind………’

*************


Buffy trotted downstairs fixing in her earring. She opened the front door and her eyes went huge. Spike stood there in a black Chanel suit, an air force blue shirt that really bought out the colour of his eyes, and a black silk tie. She was a vision in ruched red satin. The dress was to the knee, and strapless with just enough cleavage on show, she’d left her hair down and had tonged it into a mass of tumbling curls, which she’d taken up on one side with a diamante comb.

“WOW! – Look at you!” Spike said, entering the hallway, leaving the front door ajar.

“I was thinking the same…I LOVE the suit!” they were both grinning

She sat down on the stairs and took her new diamante buckled, kitten heeled mules out of the box, and put them on. She checked her purse for her keys, tissues and lipstick, and then smiled up at Spike.

“Will I do?”

“You look sensational, pet, ready?”

“Ready when you are!”
chapter 13 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 13

Xander stepped out of the limousine and was nearly blinded by the flash photography.

Helping Harmony out of the car, she acted like a true professional and gave a huge smile and waved, she walked along the red carpet, in the white Valentino dress, hair up, make-up immaculate, fans screaming and holding out hands and autograph books, some incredulous at her ‘new look’.

Xander felt uncomfortable in his hired suit, the cummerbund was a little tight, and he hated the collar and bowtie, he felt like he was being strangled, and frequently he slid a finger down his neck and pulled it away from his throat.

The flashes continued all down the carpeted walk, and various presenters of different shows stopped Harmony to speak. Xander stood diplomatically to one side while she did this.

Smiling at Jenny Calendar, who was working for MTV that evening, Harmony was asked about her new look.

“Just thought I’d try a change!” Harmony turned to the crowd and waved, and they roared, and then she and Xander went inside.

Spike pulled up in his sports car, and he and Buffy got out, he gave the keys to one of the marshals to park it for him. Buffy was amazed that people recognised her, and photographers and the crowd all calling her name. She smiled and waved, and signed a few autographs, Spike was delighted when she reached for his hand and they went to walk inside.

“Buffy, Jenny Calendar, MTV – Your first outing with Aphrodite records – are you enjoying it?”

“It’s wonderful, thankyou!”

Buffy grinned, and when she turned to wave to the crowd again just before they went inside, there were plenty of flash-bulbs going off.

“You didn’t mind, did you? – (Buffy squeezed his hand) I felt a little scared”

Gently squeezing back Spike said,

“Not at all, pet. You ok now?”

“Yes thanks!” Spike was pleased that she hadn’t let go………they were shown to their table, with Xander and Harmony.

“Wow, you look very pretty in that dress” Harmony said smiling at Buffy. Buffy smiled and leaned over Spike so Harmony could hear her and said,

“I hardly recognised you, you look stunning, is that a Valentino?”

“Yes…thought I’d treat myself!” Harmony smiled

“Great treat, it’s perfect on you”

“Xand…you’re sitting up very straight…still keeping up with the bad back story?” Spike whispered.

“No, it’s this bloody monkey suit…the silk band thingie is too tight, I’m scared to breathe out, else it’ll ping off and wrap itself around Harmony’s head…and the collar’s choking me!” Spike smile/frowned and shook his head in commiseration.

The lights went down, and a voice said,

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Blackmore Entertainments sponsored by Hudson’s Spring Water presents the 2004 Independent Radio Awards, and here is our host for this evening, Miss Darla Delaney” the audience clapped and Darla came onstage. The only problem was, she was in an identical dress to Harmony’s. Buffy saw Harmony’s face crumple, and she leaned over Spike and whispered,

“Don’t worry, you look a hundred times better in it that she does” Harmony smiled and touched Buffy’s arm and said ‘thanks’.

Spike whispered,

“What’s up?”

“Darla is wearing the same dress as…” Buffy just nodded towards Harmony subtly. Spike frowned and rolled his eyes

“I told her she looks miles better in it than Darla though” Spike smiled and squeezed Buffy’s hand.

“That was nice of you”
They settled back and enjoyed the show, after an hour there was a break, and Harmony knew that she was ‘on’ for the second category.

Wes Price had been called to present the ‘Best Female Singer’ category, and the three nominations were read out, and a clip of each song and singer was shown.

“And the winner is…(he unsealed the envelope, and took out the card) Anyanka” Everybody clapped, and then he said,

“Anyanka is unable to collect the award herself, due to recording commitments, but she recorded this for us earlier on today” A video clip of Anyanka with snow covered mountains as a backdrop as she said thankyou was shown.

“And here to accept the award on her behalf, we have Harmony” the audience applauded and Harmony went up to collect it. Luckily Darla stood well to the side of the stage, so nobody noticed the similarity between the girl’s dresses.

Harmony was handed the award by Wes Price, who first kissed her on both cheeks, then she stood by the microphone and said,

“It is indeed an honour for me to accept this richly deserved award for the wonderfully talented singer Anyanka, one of my fellow recording artiste’s at Aphrodite Records. I know she is thrilled, thankyou”

She picked up the award and the audience began to clap again. Spike and Xander grinned at each other, Harmony had been ‘perfect’. She sat down at the table, and she was pleased to see both Xander and Spike smiling broadly at her, Buffy too. She knew she’d done things right!

**********

By the time Spike managed to get his car, they were running a little late.

“Sorry about that love, I’d been blocked in by all the limo’s”

“It’s ok, I’ve been star spotting!”

They drove to Cobra, and Spike parked in the private car park.

A huge black guy checked their tickets and allowed them inside. As soon as the inner doors were open, you could feel the music, let alone hear it.

“Drink, pet? – Let me see…there’s um cocktails…Champagne…wine, what would you like?”

“Ooh, Champagne please!” Spike ordered a glass of champagne and a soft drink for himself; one thing he NEVER did, was drink and drive.

The place was quite full, and just as Spike was returning from the bar with the drinks, he was stopped by Lilah and Faith. They coiled around him rubbing themselves against him, petting his face.

“Spike! Hope you’re going to save us a dance…” Lilah practically had her tongue down his ear, and Spike, who was holding a drink in each hand, tried his best to wriggle free from them without spilling them.

“Ah, now, ladies, please I – “ he looked across to Buffy, who could see his predicament; she could also see the pained expression on his face and knew that the duo were embarrassing him.

“Is that for me, darling?” Faith said hoarsely, trying to take the glass of champagne out of his hand, but Spike held it up in the air.

“No, no it isn’t, now will you two please behave!”

“He’s playing hard-to-get again Li…” Faith ran her hand under his jacket.

“Get off, stop it, look, girls, I –“

“Ok big-boy…but we’ll pin you down, one day, you see if we don’t!”

“There you are! - We thought you weren’t coming!” Harmony now obscured the scene of Spike and the two sex-hungry girls from Buffy’s view, and Xander pulled out a chair and sat down. He’d removed the cummerbund and his bowtie, and felt a lot more comfy.

“Spike’s car was blocked in by the limo’s” Buffy explained

“That’s why I didn’t come in my own car” Xander said.

“Phew, sorry love…I hope this Champagne isn’t warm now…those two eh, just won’t take no for an answer” Spike looked a little worried as he handed Buffy her drink, but she smiled at him, and said ‘thanks’.

“Oh, Pookie! Champers – will you get me some?”

“Sure…I’ll bring a bottle” Xander got up and went over to the bar, and Spike sat in the vacated seat next to Buffy.

She’d been watching the Vixen duo, and saw that both girls were ‘checking her out’. They’d both looked at her, and then Lilah would whisper something to Faith, and vice-versa.

Suddenly the double doors were opened, and with Lorne leading the way, Sweet entered the room, followed by a few close friends, including Glory Benson, and Darla Delaney. There was no sign of Cecily or Dru yet.

“Is that-“

“Sweetly, yup, that’s him” Spike said

“He’s smaller than I imagined…”

“Yeah…but what he lacks in stature he makes up for in ego. He’s big money wise though” Spike said

Xander bought over a nicely cold frosted bottle of champagne and three glasses.
He poured for Harmony and himself, gave Buffy a top-up, but Spike refused.

“Driving, mate”

“Oh right, I forgot.”

“Did you see the boss arrive – he’s gone to the very back, see where people are queuing by the door to see him?” Spike said

The doors opened again and in came Gunn and his girlfriend Nikki Wood, and an entourage of about twenty others.

“I bet the stock exchange is jittery…seems half the gold reserve has just walked in!” Spike said with a wry smile.

“I reckon that’s why they wear sunglasses all the time, dazzled by the bling!” Xander said.

“Spike!” Everyone looked up at the cat-like features of Glory Benson.

True gentleman that he was, Spike stood up.

“Glory” She held out her hand and presented her cheek for him to kiss, but Spike, much to her annoyance didn’t kiss it.

“Daddy tells me that I’ve got to see you about that little girl singer…Betty is it?” the name dripped from her lips acidly. Glory knew only too well what the singers name was, and the fact that she was sitting right next to Spike.

“Buffy. And this is the lady herself, Buffy, this is Glory Benson, Glory – this is Buffy”
Buffy smiled pleasantly enough, and Glory flashed her a false smile.

“Glory does two shows on cable” Spike explained. Glory immediately saw her chance to be bitchy, and said with such saccharin overtones,

“Oh, don’t you have cable? – But then again, when my shows are on you are probably doing your public service job, helping to clog up the arteries of the general population!”.

“I’m sorry, I don’t understand…clogging up the arteries?” Buffy looked puzzled

“Didn’t I read…well, don’t you work in a burger bar?” Glory smiled wickedly

“I used to, then I was a school councillor – now if you’d excuse me, there is somebody famous over there I’d like to speak to” Spike smoothed his hand over his mouth to cover the grin at Buffy’s put-down of Glory, whose eyes flashed venom at the receding back of the little blonde girl, who was now walking away with Harmony to speak to Darla Delaney.

“You deserved that” Spike said, sitting down

Glory sullenly sat down in Buffy’s seat and reached for the champagne and the empty glass, and poured.

“Help yourself, why don’t you?” Xander said sarcastically.

“It’s free, isn’t it – fuckin’ hell!” she stood and waltzed off, taking her glass with her.

“I don’t fancy Buffy’s chances much now if she goes on her show” Xander said.

“Oh…I think after that little put-down, Buffy can hold her own.” Spike sat back in his chair.

“I’d forgotten just how boring these things can be” He looked around the tatty décor.

Xander too leant back in his chair.

“Venue’s looking a bit worse for wear now”

“I was just thinking that”

Buffy and Harmony came and sat back down, they were both smiling.

“Ok pet? – Great Glory put down, by the way!”

“I can’t stand her! I wanted to say, yes – I have cable – yes I know when you’re on, and yes, quite frankly, I’d always preferred to watch Spongebob Squarepants instead!”

“I love that show!” Harmony said, and all four of them were giggling.

*********


“Is she ok?”

“Yes, I’ve given her a little pick-me-up shot…did you say you had the name of the medication she was on for the Schizophrenia – there are several I could prescribe, but it’s best to keep her on what she’s familiar with” the doctor took the empty blister-pack off Cecily.

“Oh yes, right…there you go, she’ll be ok for tonight, I’ve given her a shot”

“Right”

“Will she be taking anything else – or has she?”

“No, um not yet…will it be enough, this shot?”

“Should be…IF she’s going to be taking…say anything ‘recreational’ tonight, keep her away from the alcohol – else she could go a little…loco lets say.” The doctor handed Cecily a prescription for Dru’s medication, which she put in the drawer. Dru called out from the bedroom,

“Cecily…are we going out?”

“Yes, coming love, you get dressed, I’m just seeing the doctor out. Anyway, thanks doc”

“You’re welcome” he left. Opening her bedside drawer, Cecily took out two ‘E’s, took one herself and went into Dru’s room.

“Open” She opened her mouth to demonstrate, Dru did the same.

“What is it?”

“Doc gave it to me, vitamins” Cecily lied. At least, if Dru was a little quiet tonight, she’d feel she ‘loved’ everybody…

************

“Oh, I LOVE this tune!” Harmony said, jiggling about in her chair.

“Come and dance with me, Pookie!” Without listening to his protestations that he couldn’t dance, Xander had been hauled out of his seat.

“Coming Buffy?”

“Me? Need a couple more of these yet!” Buffy re-filled her glass with the bubbling pale golden liquid.

“Enjoying yourself?” Spike asked grinning.

“I’m having a ball – drinking champagne in the best night-club around, with the most handsome guy”
Spike grinned at first, and then he frowned and looked around.
“Don’t know about the best…décor needs a make-over”

“Hmm, s’pose, but it’s got the best atmosphere – better than the Bronze”

“Sorry, the where?” Spike frown/smiled. Buffy smiling shook her head.

“Awful place – full of kids…more like a youth club really. It’s where I won the heat of Search for a Star”

“Oh. Uh oh…”

“What?”

“Can you hear that?” – No sooner had Spike said those words, the double doors flew open and a very stoned Rack staggered in with his band members, who were in various states of drunkenness and drugged up highs.

“Get that shit noise off the player…’ere, put this on real Noiz! – HEY! FAITHY, LILO, I mean, Lilah…lookin’ tasty – c’mere!”

Forgetting all about wanting a change of music, Rack was content to fondle and touch up the two leather clad ladies, who after visiting ‘Daddy’s Hidey-hole’ at the back, had helped themselves to a little coke………

The disco tune finished, and Xander and Harmony walked off the dance floor, one of Noiz’s band, Trick, goosed Harmony, who shrieked and whirled around
and gave him a cracking smack across the face, much to everyone else in the band’s amusement.

“Fuckin’ bitch! – I was only saying hello!” Trick stood indignantly holding his smarting cheek.

“You alright, Harm?” Xander asked, giving Trick a hard stare.

“Yeah…he’s a pervert!” She snatched up the champagne bottle and emptied the last drops into her glass.

“Want a cocktail this time love?”

“Oh yes please! Pretty coloured one…with fruit in it”

“Come on then…come with me”
Xander held his hand out, and to avoid any more possible ‘nastiness’ from Rack and his band, they went through between the tables to the bar.

The music slowed right down and Spike said,

“Dance?”

“Thought you’d never ask!” Spike had loosened his tie, and Buffy thought that he looked even more gorgeous. He held her hand and led her to the floor.

Holding her close to him around the waist, Buffy slipped her hands around his neck and they swayed slowly to the music. She was well aware that there were several pairs of eyes on them, all female, all wishing they could take her place.

Harmony sucked on the straw of her orangey-red cocktail, with its paper umbrella and slices of orange, lemon and lime.

“Hmm, s’lovely…here, have a sip” Xander dutifully did, and agreed it was very nice.

“Make a nice couple, don’t they?” Harmony nodded towards Spike and Buffy, who seemed totally oblivious of everyone else.

“Yeah…yes, they do!” Xander said, grinning – then he thought, the sly old dog – no wonder he’d ‘off-loaded’ Harmony onto him…but still, Spike’s loss was his gain.

“Are you aware, young lady, of just how much I want to kiss you now?” Spike breathed into her ear, making her shudder with delight. Smiling a purely feminine smile, Buffy retorted,

“And are YOU aware of just how much I want you to?”

“But people will see, I thought that you didn’t want-“ Spike was cut off by Buffy gently nuzzling his cheek before homing onto his mouth and kissing him.

She broke the kiss when breathing became an issue, and she whispered,

“Want them to…I want those girls to see that they can’t have you” Spike held her a little tighter.

“Is that right?”

“Oh yes…that’s right”
They kissed again and the song ended, and they walked off the dance floor hand in hand.
Glory had watched them with narrowed eyes, thinking how she’d like to wring the neck of that pretty little blonde with the smart mouth. She’d have her revenge…she’d get her on the show and pull her to pieces…

“You sly old dog!” Xander said quietly

“Who me? What, why? What have I done?” Spike was smiling

“Now I know why you off-loaded – oh, look…I think you’re being summoned”

Spike looked up and saw Lorne coming towards them.

“Spike, you and…” Lorne pointed to Buffy, and then the back of the room, Spike nodded.

“Buffy…it’s time to go meet the boss”

“Oh right, um, could I just go to the rest-room first?”

“Sure, it’s at the back of the room anyway”

They threaded their way through the crowded dance floor to the back room where the boss, Sweet was holding court, Buffy first slipping into the ladies cloakroom.

She was aware of the stalls being rocked like crazy, and she could hear gasps and grunts, both male and female.

Rolling her eyes, she ignored it and went to the toilet, and then to wash her hands. Through the mirror she could see the guy that had goosed Harmony, Trick and Faith standing in one of the cubicles, going at it like crazy. Faith tried to close the door, but she knew that Buffy had seen them. Without blinking an eye, Buffy washed and dried her hands, and went to leave.

“So, Spike, how’s our new little songstress?”

“She’s doing extraordinarily well thanks, Lorne”

“Good. So, what do you think about D-“

“Oh, s’cuse me, is that me? Yes…yes, sorry…” Spike answered his cell phone

“Hello? – Cordy – bloody hell girl, you’re running late, everything ok? Yes…yes, yes…REALLY – Oh fantastic! That’s brilliant news – thanks love – I will, bye!”

Spike flipped his phone shut and beamed at Buffy who’d just come out of the restroom.
The door opened and Sweet nodded to Lorne

“’Kay Spike…your turn!” it was a grinning Spike who led in a grinning Buffy to meet the boss……

“………Hope you’re enjoying yourself here?”

“Yes, thankyou Mr Sweetly” Buffy said politely, trying her best not to stare at his face.

“Call me Sweet, who knows, you may get to call me ‘Daddy yet’” Spike felt his jaw tighten and he thought, ‘over my dead body’. Buffy just smiled politely.

“This is for you” Sweet handed her a bottle of Champagne.

“Oh, um thanks, thankyou!”

“Welcome…so Spike have you heard who’s-“

“Actually Sweet, I’ve just had some fantastic news” Spike interrupted

“Oh – what’s that…Midnight Music has burned down?”

“No, even Buffy doesn’t know this yet, Cordelia’s just phoned me, she’s got the Indie Chart run down for Sunday, because of the advanced sales, and as the single is released tomorrow, the Indie charts have Buffy straight in at number one!” Sweet gave his lopsided leer, the nearest he could get to a grin because of the Botox, but Lorne and Spike were genuinely happy for the little blonde girl.

“Oh my god! Straight in at-“

“Number one, clever girl!” Spike gave her a hug.

“Well, I’ll let you go celebrate” Sweet said.

“Thankyou!”

“Thankyou my dear!” Sweet could almost hear the chink of the money in the cash registers.

Spike and Buffy left the room, both beaming with happiness.

“Come on, let’s go celebrate!”

After an hour, they both flopped in their chairs, exhausted from the day and the dancing.

“Shall we go now, love?”

“Would you mind? – I know we were going to go on somewhere, but I’m shattered!”

Spike squeezed her arm.

“Course not pet, I’m all in myself truth be known” they said goodnight to Xander and a slightly squiffy Harmony.

“I just need to pop into the gents” Spike went to the toilets, leaving Buffy standing outside in the entrance way holding her bottle of Champagne from Sweet. The door to the outside opened, and two girls entered, both giggling.

“But Cecily, are you sure Daddy won’t be mad and shout at me – whoops! Sorry!”
The girl with long dark hair had stumbled slightly and bumped into Buffy.

Buffy smiled and said,

“It’s ok”

“Cecily! Coz if he shouts at me, I’m –“

“Oh do be quiet! He’ll be fine, come on, we’re late enough as it is!” The main door was opened and they both went through into the club.

The men’s restroom door opened, and Spike came out.

“Ok babe, are you ready?”

Copying one of his sayings, she smiled and said,

“Willing and able!”
chapter 14 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 14

As Spike drove up Revello Drive, he said,

“I’ll just see you to the door I won’t come in, I know you’re tired. Besides, you’ve got another heavy schedule tomorrow”


She felt a little disappointed at this, but, it was her that said she wanted to take things slowly after all, and if he came in tonight…well she didn’t know if she’d trust herself! As good as his word, Spike stood on the doorstep while Buffy opened her front door, she turned to him and said,

“Night then”

“Night love. Sleep well” He gave her a kiss and a hug, and then Buffy said,

“Thanks for tonight” Spike winked at her and he went to move away, but she didn’t let go of his hand, he smiled and quirked a brow at her questioningly. She slid her arms around his neck and kissed him properly, until Spike broke the kiss and nuzzled her neck.

“Wow, steady on there pet!” He gave her a soft gentle kiss and then said,

“I’ll pick you up, nine be ok? (Buffy nodded) I better go, love” - god knows he didn’t want to go, but he didn’t want to do anything she might regret and totally spoil things. He would play it her way. Buffy nodded reluctantly, waved him off from the hallway and then she locked up.

*********

“Well, look at you cup-cake!” Lorne put down his ‘Sea Breeze’ cocktail and gently hugged Drusilla.

He was shocked; there was nothing of her! Waif-like, but one thing hadn’t changed, she’d still got those eyes, Lorne thought. You know the ones, you can’t work out if she’s scared, or annoyed, slightly wild, staring. She clutched onto the big guy and asked,

“Is Daddy mad with me?” Lorne tried to soothe her down.

“Mad, with his Princess – don’t be silly!” She smiled and looked, still clutching his arm with her bony fingers.

“Lorne…LORNE” Sweet called from inside the room

“Coming, Daddy…got a little someone with me too!” Dru stood fixed, she looked scared, Lorne had his arm around her and gently coaxed,

“I’m with you sugar-plum…come and see Daddy, he’s really missed you”

With a child-like manner, Dru suddenly dashed forward into the room, calling,

“Daddy! It’s your Princess!” Lorne hesitated in the doorway, he could see Dru hugging Sweet, who’d raised his arm and hugged her to him.

“Princess…my little Princess…come on, come to Daddy” He patted his lap, and dutifully, with an almost too-bright laugh, Dru sat on his lap.

“Did you bring my other little girl – hmm?” Sweet asked, taking in how tiny she’d become.

“Oh yes…Ceccy said we can play games later… Can we Daddy – Please – can we play like the old days?”

There was urgency in her voice, a need, a want of everything to be all right, she needed to know that nothing had changed, she was still her Daddy’s little Princess…

“Of course we can…and Daddy’s got a present for his Princess – later, when everyone has gone home, and you and me and Ceccy can play just like the olden days, ok my precious?”

Dru clapped her hands, and Sweet hugged her to him, and then Cecily came into the room, sniffing and pinching her nose. Giggling, she slipped onto his other knee, and they sat there giggling and talking.

Outside on the dance floor, things were hotting up. People were dancing, drinking, getting high – or higher in some cases.

Harmony was hot. Hot and tired, and the teeniest bit smashed on two ‘Sundowner’ cocktails plus the champagne she’d had.

“Pookie…take me home?” Xander smiled and said he’d be glad to, as the truth was, like Spike he didn’t enjoy these virtually ‘compulsory attendance’ parties, he didn’t drink much, and he couldn’t really dance, the music was never really to his taste and the smoky atmosphere always gave him a sore throat. And drugs? – Forget it he never took anything more insidious than Aspirin.

“Ok Harm, look at me…can I just…there” he tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

“Just in case there are paparazzi outside, you still want to look your best. Got your purse?”

“Yes…Pookie…will you hold my hand?”

“Sure. Come on, let’s get you home” they were just about to leave, when very drunk, and very stoned Trick and Rack blocked their exit.

“Hey…Harm…you know you’re like, TOTALLY safe with Alexander here, don’t ya luv!” Trick had put his arm ‘chummily’ around Xander’s shoulders, Rack swayed and giggled; he was swigging out of a bottle of champagne.

“Go away, you, you pervert! Leave Xander alone!” Harmony frowned and pulled Xander away from Trick.

“Me? Me? – S’him that’s the pervert…bats for the other side, love…he has butt-buddies! Ask him…he’s, he’s one o’ them shirt-lifters, every time I see him, he’s hanging about with…um, thingie, and oo’s it? What’s them two poofs called now?”
Trick turned unsteadily towards Rack, but he shrugged and slurred,

“I dunno…fuckin’ fairy one and fairy two, I call em…bloody queers (hic) couple o’ fuckin’ poofs…anyway, ner’ mind all tha’, wha’s this (hic) fuckin’ racket were lis-nin’ too …doin’ my fuckin’ ‘ead in, I know tha………(hic) much” He was leaning heavily against a table and tried to stand up straight, swig from the bottle and look basically coherent to what was going on.

The DJ put one of Harmony’s bouncy pop tunes on, and this upset Rack even more.

“Fer fuck’s sake man, we ain’t bastard fuckin’ five year olds! Put summat decent on…er, ‘ear, Tricky-boy, what’s that band – OOOOWWWFFF!”

Rack had turned to ask Trick the name of a certain band, only to catch him full force flying backwards, and they both sprawled and demolished a tableful of glasses.

Xander stood there, boiling angry and heaving for breath. He desperately wanted to cradle his knuckles as they hurt like a bitch now, from the contact with Trick’s thick skull, but he didn’t want to ‘spoil’ the effect. The two bigots were so wasted; they couldn’t even sit up, let alone stand, and they lay there groaning amongst the broken glass and broken table.

“Sorry to disappoint you, ‘man’, but I’m not gay. But I’ll tell you this, I’d MUCH rather be gay than be like you to two ignorant bigoted wastes of space – keep away from Harmony, and keep away from me, else you know what’ll happen. Ready love?”

Xander looked up and held out his ‘good’ hand to Harmony, who was SO impressed and dumbfounded, she was mouth-open shocked. Seeing his hand, she smiled, reached for it, delicately stepped over Trick and some broken glass, and said

“Oh Pookie! You were magnificent!” Two huge bouncers entered the room through the swing doors, Xander and Harmony left.

“Ow, ow, ow bloody hell!” Standing in the corridor, Xander grimaced and winced and looked at his swollen knuckles, trying to flex his fingers checking to see if anything was broken.

“Oh, my poor, poor little Pookie…come back to mine…I’ll make it all better for you…” They got outside and Xander whistled up his limo and driver.

************

“What’s going on out there, as if I didn’t know!” Sweet said agitatedly.

“I’ll find out” Lorne left the room.

“Can we go home Daddy?” Dru asked, her head leaning against Sweet’s.

“In a little while, Daddy’s got a new toy!” Sweet said to Dru, his hand massaged her knee, and nuzzled her neck.

“What have you got daddy? – Tell me!”

“Daddy’s got a boat, all shiny and pretty…and only my very special friends get to play on it!”

“Me Daddy, me!” Dru jiggled up and down

“Yes, Princess, you can come and play…and my other little girl…she can come and play too…we’ll play ‘special’ games there”

“It’s as I thought, Rack and Trick, brawling by the looks of it” Lorne said coming back into the room. He picked up his drink and leant against the table.

“We’re going…go call the car round” Sweet said, and Lorne finished his drink and complied with his master’s wishes.

***********

Spike was on the dot to pick Buffy up, and she went straight to rehearsals and then they shot a video of her singing her song against the bluescreen again.

At eleven thirty she had an interview, and then lunchtime saw her choosing an outfit to do an outside video shoot. Spike caught up with her in make-up.
The makeup lady was just putting lipstick on her, and Buffy saw Spike through the mirror.

“Hi Mandy… you don’t have to do much do, she’s already beautiful enough isn’t she?” Spike said grinning.

The makeup lady beamed at him. She could almost feel the chemistry between the couple, and she was over the moon – for them both.

“Pretty as a picture Spike! Pretty as a picture!”

“Stop! You’re making me blush!” Buffy was pink with embarrassment, but smiling!

As she was ready, Buffy took the makeup cape off and left it on the chair, and went through to wardrobe. When she was dressed, she came up to Spike, and had a quick look-see to check nobody was watching, and then she kissed Spike, who grinned.

“Have I got lipstick all over me now?”

“Nope, miracles they can perform these days, kiss-proof lipstick being one of them!”

“In that case, c’mere you!” Spike pulled her close and gave her a deep, passionate kiss, leaving her breathless.

“Anyway pet, do you know what’s happening?” he had to move away from her a little as somebody had come into wardrobe.

“Yes, Ford said that we’re going to video-shoot me singing my song at the Army Base, and then I’m to do a meet and greet, with some of the families who have their loved ones away at the moment, then I’m gong to sign a few autographs and copies of the CD. – It should take until five o’clock, all been well”

“Good, listen babe, I can’t come with you, I have a hundred and one things to do here – I’ve just learned that after we left the party last night, Xander laid out Trick AND Rack – and I’ve got to read them the riot act threaten to end Noiz’s contract – boss’s instructions” Buffy grinned and covered her mouth, and then she said

“Oh my god, Xander did? – I don’t believe it!”

“Neither did I until I saw the state of his knuckles – oh”

“Flowers for Buffy Summers”
A messenger handed Buffy a cellophane wrapped bouquet of yellow chrysanthemums and daisy’s. She smiled up at Spike, thinking they were possibly from Sweet as she’d already had flowers from him, and took the card out that was in a plastic holder nestling inside the blooms, she read out,

“Congratulations on your number one, (she grinned and hunched up her shoulders once) I saw you last night at the Radio Awards, but couldn’t catch your eye. Please r-ring me, love – oh – love, um… Angel” she could feel the heat creeping up her neck.

She didn’t even dare to look Spike in the eye. Obviously it wasn’t her fault Angel had sent them, but it didn’t stop her feeling guilty all the same. She walked to the door and called out,

“Erm, hold on, where’s er…Man-Mandy, Mandy…” The make-up lady put her head around the door.

“Someone call?”

“Here, for the make-up room…brighten it up, I can’t bear Chrysanths, or the sender so, here you go!” She thrust the blooms at the delighted makeup lady, and threw the card in the bin, then she turned to Spike.

“You needn’t have done that, love, it’s not your fault” Buffy looked up at him big-eyed, and put her finger to his lips.

“Shush…I know. But what I said was true, I don’t like them. My gran used to grow them, and I hated the smell of them…plus, well hey, they’re from Angel, so” she shrugged.
She went to remove her finger from his mouth, when Spike gave a playful snarl and captured her finger gently between his lips, Buffy shrieked and giggled,

“Sorry, you made me jump!” She removed her finger from his mouth, and Spike kissed her nose and looked at his watch.

“I gotta scram, babe, fancy staying a bit later tonight, then we could go eat?”

“Great!”

“Good, so after the army base, come back here with Ford. Ring me if there’s any problems”

“Will do”

“And Buffy”

“Yes?”

“Whatever you do pet, don’t enlist, will you?”

“I won’t!”

He winked and blew her a kiss.

The makeup lady had seen all this through the mirror, and smiled. She was pleased, she liked Spike, always had.

He was always polite, please and thankyou, the boy had been bought up right.

She’d seen what had happened with him and Dru, and her heart had nearly broken for him. A few times he’d drifted down to pour his heart out to her and she’d listened and they’d have a mug of hot chocolate.

But this time she could see that there was much more to it with this young blonde than he just being her manager. But she wouldn’t say anything, she’d keep things to herself. But this she did know, given half a chance, they could have something really special, she could feel it in her very bones.

*********


“You ok?” Ford frowned at Buffy

“Yeah…yeah, just got to me a bit, all those people banging on the car when we were trying to drive in”

Buffy leant against the wall, taking deep breaths. Ford nodded and said,

“Yeah, it can be a bit daunting, ‘specially when you’re not used to it. I don’t think the bigwigs were expecting quite so many to come down here, security wise it’s been a bloody nightmare. I think they thought our VidCam man was a terrorist!”

Ford idly tapped the wall with the toe of his boot, waiting for them to be called so they could start making the video. He hated waiting around.

Buffy had spent the last hour signing autographs and shaking hands.

“Come on…come on…we’re already an hour and a half late….” Ford was getting impatient.

“Ok, I’ve had a bloody ‘nough o’ this, shall we see if they’re ready for us now?” Ford went to open the door, but a soldier wearing desert fatigues came through to them and said,

“Ma’am, sir, we’re ready for you now” Ford breathed an ‘at last’, and led the way through the door and Buffy followed him out onto the makeshift stage that had been set up. A huge roar went up from the gathered crowd, and Buffy smiled and waved. Ford had already done a sound check, and he checked with his VT operator that everything was ready to roll. The PA Buzzed and gave a little feedback, but it was fine. Buffy picked up the microphone and shouted,

“Hello everybody!”

They shouted hello back

“Thanks for coming…having fun - Want to hear my song?”

The crowd roared, and Ford started the tape. Buffy sang, and to her amazement, quite a few of the audience joined in.

After she had sung ‘Will Love Find A Way’, she sang the other song on the CD, ‘Missing You,’ and it too got a great reception from the crowd. Afterwards the Colonel thanked her for taking the time out to come and see them. Because of the crowds and their busy schedule, the army had arranged for them to be taken off the base by helicopter, it would be Buffy’s first trip in one.

“Come on, follow me” Ford said grinning.

“But the car is-“

“Going to be bought to us. We’re going home in style!”

When the door opened out onto a runway, and Buffy saw the helicopter waiting, rotors spinning, ready for take off her eyes bugged.

“We’re going back in – OH WOW!” She was helped into the chopper by a soldier, who after seeing that she was all strapped in jumped down and slid the door into place. It was incredibly noisy, and she had to shout at Ford, even though he was sitting opposite her.

“Never been in one before!”
She couldn’t stop grinning, and then they felt the slight lurch upwards of take off. The pilot banked steeply and Buffy looked out and down to where she’d just been on stage, and she was shocked by the sheer numbers of people down there, and a field full of parked cars.

“You’ll get used to it!” Ford hollered back. Her hair blew wildly around but she didn’t care, this was something she could get used to!

They came to land on the Helipad roof at Aphrodite Records. Because they’d had to get permission to land, to get the ‘all clear’ from Cordelia via computer, she’d tipped Spike off, who was waiting for them.

When they landed, he ran over and opened the door.

“Well! What have we here!” Spike held her around the waist and lifted her out. Buffy had wrapped her arms around his neck giving him a big hug, she couldn’t stop grinning.

“That was SO wow! – Me! In a helicopter!”

“Come on babe, we’ve got to move, he’s got to take off again” they ran to the door with their arms around each other.

“So…getting a taste for the high-life are we?” Spike teased.

“It took us AGES to get onto the base, there were hundreds of people!”

“Thousands more like, I know…you’ve already been on the local news,” Spike said, smiling at the wondrous look on her face.

“Local girl stops traffic, Jefferson Army Base besieged by crowds all wanting to hear and see the new singing sensation, Buffy!” Buffy giggled.

“Come on, let’s get a drink, shall we?” Buffy eagerly nodded and they went to the café. The café itself was closed for food, but you could get drinks via help-yourself machines.

“Here she is!” Xander said grinning at her. As Buffy and Spike walked in. Harmony put her magazine down and came over and hugged her.
“You were fantastic! It looked like you’d been doing it for years, didn’t it Pookie – we saw you on the local news – can’t wait to see the video – did you see loads of hunky soldiers?”

“A few…not my type though!” She flashed Spike a look; and he just smiled.

Buffy noticed that Xander had a light gauze bandage over the knuckles of his right hand.

“God, I was SO nervous when we first got to the base, all these people were banging on the sides and roof of the car, but once I got out, I was fine – and the helicopter home – I mean, can I just say WOW again!”

“Oh I left the Party in the Park concert in London last year in a helicopter, boy, is it noisy!” Harmony said. They all sat down and Spike bought over the juice Buffy had asked for.

Buffy took a long drink.

“Thanks! Hoo! I needed that! She patted her chest, and then grinned at Xander, and nodded towards his hand.

“And what’s this I’ve been hearing about you, Xander ‘Bonecrusher’ Harris?” Xander looked a little sheepish, but everybody else was grinning.

“Had to teach somebody some manners…”

“And bought them down a peg or two!” Harmony leaned over and gave his arm a gentle squeeze.

“Anyway, you two look nice, going out?”

“Yeah, have you heard of the writer-cum-director Tara MaClay?” Harmony asked

“Yes, actually, she was one of the judges when I won the show! Buffy said

“Well, she’s a friend from my school days. We’re going to the Premier of her film ‘Fates’.

“That’s nice. Oooh, excuse me!” Buffy’s stomach rumbled.

“I’ve had nothing since a banana at 11.30 this morning!”

“Didn’t the army base put anything on for you?”

“I was too busy, signing autographs, meeting and greeting to eat anything”

“Well, we must be going…are you ready Harm?” They all said their goodbyes and Xander and Harmony left.

“So babe…what do you want to do, restaurant, take-away, me cook?” Spike asked, at last being able to give her a proper cuddle.

“Hmm…it’s a shame Luigi doesn’t do take out…I just LOVE their Lasagne Al Forno… oh and that Tiramisu!” Spike smiled, flipped open his mobile and said,

“I don’t think it’s beyond the range of possibilities”

*********

Dru looked around the room. It had changed since she’d last been there. For starters, there was this huge big picture window now that overlooked the swimming pool and gardens. And there was wood panelled flooring and all the heavy old furniture had been replaced with modern stuff. Two lots of leather sofas faced each other with coffee tables in between, and against one wall was a large built-in plasma TV screen.

“Dru………Dru, come on, what are you doing?” Cecily called from the bedroom.

“Think I’ll have to go get her” Cecily got up off the bed, while Sweet prepared three lines of coke.

“Dru, come on love, we’re going to play games!”

Dru was running the fingers along the shelf above a big open fireplace, staring at herself in the mirror above it.
Cecily came right up to her and held her arm.

“Dru?”

“All different, now”

“Yes, it’s all different, it looks much nicer now, don’t you think? Do you like the window – see the gardens and the fountains are still there…remember when Daddy had the parties and we used to play in the fountains?”

Dru frowned.

“Fountains. – And the lions! There can’t be any more war Ceccy!”

**What the fuck is she on about now** Cecily looked puzzled, thought Dru was ‘off on one’, and tried to gently pull her towards the bedroom

“Lions? There were never any lions, love. And the war won’t hurt us, not here; we’re quite safe here. Come on.”

Dru gave Cecily a ‘look’.

“Not here! There ARE lions in Trafalgar Square. With the fountains. And war is bad”

“Oh, yeah, those fountains and lions…yeah well, never mind. Come on pet, Daddy’s waiting for us, don’t want to keep him waiting and make him cross, do we?” Dru allowed herself to be led into the bedroom, where she played ‘copy-cat’ and snorted the coke like the others………

***********

“Not Thursday’s show then, so when?” Glory asked irritably
Cordelia knew better than to book something for Buffy without prior consent from Spike.

“I don’t know Miss Benson, she really does have a very busy schedule”

“But my studios are less than half an hour away, next Tuesday then”

“Let me see…” Cordelia tapped away on her keyboard.

“No, sorry, she’ll be in New York for ‘Holden’s Weekly’, look, I’ll do my best to-“

“Just get Spike to ring me!” Glory snapped, and threw the phone down with disgust.

“And thankyou and goodbye to you too, bitch!” Cordelia muttered to the tone beeping in her ear.

“And I thought you told ME that talking to myself was the first sign of madness!” Xander said grinning. Cordelia grinned, did a ‘double take’ look at Xander.

“Blimey, as if I didn’t know…who dressed you this morning?”

“Why? – What’s wrong with it – Harmony said-“

“Ah ha – thought so!” Cordelia stalked over to him, and Xander looked a little confused.

“What are you trying to hide, hmm?” Xander leaned away from her, but she kept coming towards him, forcing him to back away.

“Come here!”

“No! N-o-o-o-o-o, no, get off! Ow! Mind my bad – Ouch. No! No! Cordy!”
She grabbed the neck of his top and pulled so it gaped open, revealing a hickey.

“Ha! I knew it!”

“No, Cordy, shush, be nice, look please…don’t tell anybody, we haven’t, you know…done…not yet, we were just kissing!”

“Just kissing – right!” Cordy gave him her patented, ‘I believe you –NOT! Look.

“Please Cordy” Xander looked pained, her demeanour softened

“Oh, okay…but well, hey – nobody can say that’s self inflicted, can they!”

“We’re trying to keep it a secret, me and Harm – we well, just want to see what happens!” Cordy quirked an eyebrow and as she was leaving she said,

“Harmony keep a secret? – You’ll be telling me you believe in the Easter Bunny next…and the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus………”

********

“Hmmm”

“That good, baby?”

“Oh god – Yes! Yes…”

“Want more, kitten?”

“Uh huh”

“Ready…open a little wider…”

“Oh yes…ooh, there, there, yes! The extra chocolaty bit – ooh, hmmm!” Buffy now had her eyes closed in rapture, and her mouth closed around a spoonful of tiramisu.

“You’re turn…open wide…there…oh. All gone!” She put the empty container onto the coffee table.

“Good thing too! Can have too much of a good thing you know!”
Spike said. Buffy snuggled back into Spike’s chest as they curled up on her sofa.

“Spike”

“Hmm?”

“You know next week”

“Uh huh”

“Will you be able to come to New York with me?”

“I’ll see what I can do pet…I can’t promise, I’ve got to sort tour-dates for Gunn, and we’ve just signed this country singer, Caleb, we’ve poached him from Midnight – much to Quentin Travers annoyance, anyway, I think Sweet wants me to sort things out with him too, although I’ll try and get Xander to do it.”

“Who does Xander manage?”

“Harmony, well he does now. Anyanka. Although she pretty much does it all for him. – S’cuse me” Spike yawned.

“Do you think that they’ve got something going together?”

“Who, Harmony and Xander? – Dunno pet”

“I think they make a nice couple!” Buffy yawned and stretched.

“Think that’s my cue to go isn’t it
– I’m tired, you’re tired”

“Oh, must you?”

“Well, I don’t want to, but I think it best, don’t you?”

“No. Definitely not best. I’m all snuggly and warm now”
Buffy shimmied her shoulders a little. Spike kissed the top of her head. He loved her soft blonde hair, with its faint smell of fruity shampoo. Spike chuckled and closed his eyes, he was SO glad she said that, coz he didn’t want to go at all………

*********

Sweet had taken a Viagra and while they were waiting for it to work, he suggested to the girls that they ‘put on a little show’ for him. Cecily was more than happy to comply with her Daddy’s wishes, and she began to kiss Dru.

Lorne was sitting in the lounge, with his dressing gown on waiting for the others to arrive, fellow ‘stable-mates’ of Cecily’s from Sweet’s adult movie empire. Kendra, Forrest and Amy.

**********

Spike woke with a crick in his neck; he focused on the little sleeping blonde in his arms, and leant his head down, kissed her cheek softly and whispered,

“Hey, beautiful………baby…wake up sweetheart” Buffy stirred with a swift intake of breath, and her eyes fluttered open

“Oh, hi” she stretched as she sat up; Spike felt her warmth leave him.

“It’s twenty past three, I really should go, pet”
Buffy mewled and took his hand.

“We can just cuddle…silly you going home now…” Buffy led him upstairs.

************

“………She’s booked for Holden’s Weekly on Tuesday, Chart Express want her for one of their ‘quickie’ five minute interviews, which we could do at the airport, Hot! Magazine want to do a spread on her……… and Glory Benson wants her, ASAP – I wouldn’t book until you give me the nod” Cordelia reeled off, looking expectantly at Spike.

“Ok. Have you booked the flight to New York?”

“Monday lunchtime from LAX, to JFK”

“What hotel?”

“The Sheraton – as usual”

“Right, you can book another ticket and room, tell Hot! Magazine they can come to the hotel to do the interview – Tuesday…AM, tell them ring me at the Sheraton to confirm and Oh, where is it now………ah, here we are… there was something about her doing a signing at The Mega Music store in Albany? – Check the date of that for me will you, please, Chart Express at the airport – um…yeah – that’s quite a regular thing for them, isn’t it – airport interviews – can I leave you to check the Albany thing?” Cordelia nodded.

“Will do. What about Glory – can I leave the ignorant bitch to you – I’ll swear at her if I have to speak to that cow again?”

“Yup”

“This room at the Sheraton…shall I just book a double?”

Without looking up from checking a phone-number he wanted, Spike said,

“No, two singles…I’m taking a little vacation time, god alone knows I’m entitled…I haven’t had a holiday in what………must be four years now!”

“Yeah, I know, just checking!” Cordelia was grinning when she left the office.

Spike picked up the phone and dialled.

“Glory Benson please…Spike Carling, Aphrodite…ok, yes, I’ll hold…thanks…”

“Spike!”

“Glory – What’s this about wanting Buffy ASAP, where’s the fire?”

“I want to strike while the iron’s hot, darling…after all, who knows, she could be yesterday’s news next week…a one-hit wonder”

“That won’t happen. She’s a very talented young lady”

“Hmmm…I’ll bet you’d know all about her ‘talents’, after your little display of affection at the party the other night,”

“What’s the matter Glory, jealous?”

“Me? Jealous? Of what darling?” her tone incredulous

“Of the fact that you’re not as young, not as beautiful, not as talented?”

Glory gasped, but quickly tried to recover and she just spluttered, Spike continued,

“She’ll come on the show if and when I say – and don’t try getting onto ‘Daddy’ about it – he doesn’t like to be bothered about the day-to-day stuff…and you wouldn’t want to screw up your main supply of publicity now, would you”
Spike put the phone down.

Xander came into the office carrying the morning newspapers.

“Seen this?” He threw a copy of the LA News on Spike’s desk.

Spike picked up the copy of the newspaper and unfolded it.

‘ROCK GUITARIST TRICK IN BRAWL WITH PAPARAZZI PHOTOGRAPHER’
The headline screamed.

“What’s new?” Spike asked, shrugging

“Read on”

Spike read on that, apparently incensed that Trick, 31, real name Ron Ward, had been caught coming out of a nightclub called the Barracuda Reef with someone other than his regular girlfriend, he’d smacked the photographer, who had unfortunately fell badly and hit his head hard, rendering him unconscious since, and he’d had to undergo an operation to remove a blood-clot from his brain, it was touch-and-go if the guy would live.

Spike threw the newspaper down with annoyance.

“Give me strength! Do they listen? Huh? Do they EVER fuckin’ listen to a word that’s said to them? After the other night, I said ‘Keep a low profile’ Sweet won’t stand much more of you – any of you. Rack’s always so bloody high I don’t think he EVER comes down to earth, and that bloody drummer, what’s-his-face?”

“Animal” Xander said, helpfully.

“That’s him, he’s still awaiting sentencing for possession of heroin – The European tour has been cancelled, Texas, Boston and Seattle don’t want them…and as for their latest album – it’s a joke. It should have been released on June the 4th – it still isn’t halfway done and we’re over half way through bloody August”

“Bad boys though, crowd pullers where they can go…Philly…Detroit…Cleveland”
Xander said, leaning against his desk.

“Well, we’ll see if Sweet still thinks so after this…three gigs isn’t enough to cover the cost of the drugs they use, let alone anything else – and if this bloke, this photographer chappy dies, Trick could be looking at a murder sentence”

“Yup, he could” Xander nodded. Spike’s phone rang, and still annoyed, he snatched up the receiver.

“What now?” Spike practically barked

“Spike?” Buffy jumped slightly

“Oh! Sorry baby…hello – you caught me at a bad moment” his tone really softened.

“It’s ok. Have you got some time to spare between now and lunch?”

“Let me see………(he flicked through his desk diary) um…yeah, actually – give me ten, and I’m all yours!”

“Good. I want to come and help me pick five other songs for my album, there’s three definite, and eight others to choose from”

“Ok babe”

Xander went to start work, when Spike saw the name ‘Caleb’ on the sheet in front of him.

“Xander…this new signing of ours, Caleb – I want you to be his manager”

Xander perked up immediately.

“Really? – Wow!”

“Well, it shouldn’t be too hard, he’s already an established artist, got a big fan-base…you need to get him working on an album and get him on tour…here’s the number of his fan club – his wife runs it for him. Talk to her to find out things, she’ll tell you all about the country music venues and that” Spike handed Xander the info-sheet.


“Right! Great, I’m right on it – Caleb – Good ‘ole country boy at heart, Yee Haw!”
Xander said, grinning, miming twirling a lasso.
Spike’s brow rose up, and Cordelia blinked at him as she walked into the office.

“Did I hear…did he just ‘Yee Haw? – I’m going to have to slap the enthusiasm outta that guy!” Cordelia said smiling.

“Be my guest! Yee Haw, indeed…oh fuck, I‘ve only just got him out of Hawaiian shirts…you don’t think he’ll go all cowboy on us now, do you?” Spike asked, smiling Cordelia rolled her eyes, and said,

“Don’t worry…I’ll get harmony to sort him out – right sign this please………and this………that one, there………and that………thankyou!” Spike did as he was asked and scribbled his signature on various slips and documents.

“Ok, ready for this? -Tickets are booked, as is the hotel, - and Hot! Magazine said great, they’ll confirm with you Tuesday, I’m waiting on the Mega Music thing, and Chart Express said they’d see her in the VIP lounge at LAX pre-flight”

“Great, right, I’m disappearing for an hour, important business, just take a message if there’s anything, ok? - I’ll be back around late lunchtime” Spike stood and left the office with Cordelia.

He chatted with her while waiting for the lift.

“So, you reckon he and Harmony have a ‘thing’ do you?”

“Uh huh…why do you think he’s wearing a roll-neck sweater…hickey-ville! Although he swears they were just kissing! – Oh and listen, they want to keep things ‘secret’ – so don’t go saying anything, will you?”

“Me?” Spike smiled, then continued,

“Do you think for one second Harmony would be able to?”

“That’s what I said!”

“Still…good luck to ‘em – I think she’ll be good for him!” They both smiled and Spike went down to the recording suites.
chapter 15 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 15

“No, I’m sorry, not while HE’S on the judging panel. You’ll just have to find somewhere else to hold the book review finals”

“Please darling…for me – it’ll be good publicity for the restaurant” Jenny slipped her arms around Rupert’s neck.

“I don’t want him at the restaurant, it’s as simple as that – and publicity? – Jenny, it’s one of, in fact if not THE best restaurant in LA – I don’t need the publicity – good or otherwise. The food speaks for itself” Rupert said, he was holding her around the waist.

“But all this trouble between you and Ethan was over thirty years ago, can’t you forgive and forget?” Giles gently pushed her away, removed is glasses and began to clean them.

“Don’t you understand? - Ethan Raine held a lot of sway with both the public and the music business in those days; it was his comments on the Juke Box show that ruined the Rocketeers – our last single bombed because he rubbished it to hell and back, and we split up” He put his glasses on and faced her.

“Rupert…is it really that? Or is it the fact that Ethan had a fling with your wife?” Rupert felt all the blood drain from his face, and he gave her a cold hard stare. Immediately Jenny wished to god she hadn’t said that, she was disappointed, and wanted to show how upset she was.

“I’m going to the studios. Then I’m going to the restaurant. Goodbye” He turned and angrily wrenched the door open and left.

“Rupert, RUPERT – Come back - I’m sorry – please, I - I didn’t mean…shit. SHIT!” Jenny kicked out at the coffee table, and winced as the front door slammed shut and she heard his car start and speed off in a flail of gravel.

***

“………Jenny! – How could you say such a thing?”

“Oh Anya! I know, I know! As soon as I said it I could have bitten off my tongue…oh, what’s the use! I tried to get him at the studios all morning, I’ve left three messages for him at the restaurant, and he still hasn’t contacted me – this is another possible relationship I’ve ruined”

“Not necessarily, he just might be busy. Where are you now?”

“At your place”

“My flight is due in tonight at 9.30, will you meet me from the airport?”

“Sure, no problem”

**********


“So, we’ve got, Will Love Find a Way, Missing You, and Lovers Walk, those are the three definates…now, Wish Upon a Star, Maybe Tomorrow, I’ll Be There, Coming Home, and it’s between either Message To You or…um…Take My Hand, yeah?” Buffy looked at Spike

“Definitely. Which one do you prefer out of those two?”

Buffy shrugged and said

“I don’t mind – they are both nice songs”

“Well, you can always use the one you don’t use now on your next album, so shall we give Ford the casting vote, he might find one is better than the other time-wise for the CD” Spike suggested, and Buffy readily agreed.

“Okay!” As they were alone, Spike gently pulled her towards him and slipped his arms around her. Buffy smiled up at him, and he said,

“Want some good news?”

“Uh huh!”

“I’m coming to New York with you” Buffy’s face broke into a beaming smile, and she bubbled enthusiastically,

“REALLY! – Oh Spike, that’s fantastic! – Oh god, I’m SO pleased – It’ll be brilliant with you there too!” She gave him a big kiss and hug. Spike grinned, he was very happy that she was so pleased.

“Now, I won’t try and hide the fact that there’s a lot of work to do there pet, but if I manage things carefully time-wise with your commitments, we should have time for a little fun too, see the sites, go shopping”

“Oooh! I’m SO excited!” Buffy jiggled up and down grinning.

“Yeah, me too, Kitten. Ever been before?”

“No – can’t wait, so you will show me round?”

“I’d love to baby – oh, I hear footsteps” Buffy stepped from between standing between Spike’s legs, and they stood casually next to each other, Ford came in.

“Chosen then?” Ford asked Buffy

“Uh huh, you’ve got the casting vote on the last one – see which one’s better time wise Spike said, I’m easy which one it is”.

**********

The terrified screams from Dru had Cecily racing into Sweet’s bedroom, were she could see Dru in great distress, with her hands tied to the cast-iron bed-frame, which she was struggling and pulling against it with all her might.

“………Untie her… I said UNTIE –(Sweet quickly complied) There, that’s it…it’s ok, it’s ok. Dru, listen to me, Dru, it’s me…you’re ok pet, it’s alright, I’ve got you, shush…that’s better……… you’re ok” Cecily cradled Dru to her naked body, soothing her, and Dru calmed somewhat, panting and whimpering.

Sweet got up off the bed. He was naked. Lorne entered the bedroom, tying his robe.

“What happened?”

“Don’t know. She just freaked out on me” Sweet said, going across to his drinks cabinet and pouring himself a very large brandy.

“Bloody hell Daddy…couldn’t you see the state of her wrists? – They’re rubbed red-raw” Cecily said angrily.

“She was enjoying it! Begging for more – we weren’t doing anything we haven’t done before, and she didn’t use the safe word – I’d have stopped!”

“Can you get her tablets…they’re in her purse” Cecily asked Lorne, who went to fetch them.

“Well, have you re-established the rules, she forgets things easily, it’s been two years since you-“

“Of course I did! What do you take me for!” Sweet downed his brandy, reached for the decanter and poured himself another generous measure.

“Shush…you’re ok baby, I’ve got you” Cecily held Dru firmly, drawing the cover over them. Lorne came back with her tablets.

“Does she need water?”

“Please”

“Dru…Dru…what’s the safe word, hmm? Tell me, what is your safe word to make Daddy stop?”

“Butter- butterfly…it’s butterfly” Dru whimpered.

“Butterfly. Ok, so why didn’t you say it pet…here you go, take these…” Cecily handed Dru two of her tablets, and Lorne handed her a glass of water.

Dru looked scared

“It’s ok pet, it’s your medicine”

Dru complied and took the tablets. Cecily smoothed the hair out of Dru’s face.

“You scared us pet, why didn’t you use the safe word?”

“I don’t know…in the hospital…they put me in one of those jacket things…so I couldn’t get out…and I shouted butterfly, but nobody ever came” Cecily frowned, but then suddenly realised what Dru meant, and a wave of sympathy swept over her. She kissed her friend’s forehead and said,

“You go to sleep now, hmm? You rest love”

“Is Daddy mad with me?” Dru wiped the tears from her face.

“No pet. He can come play with us while you go to sleep okay?”

“Okay” Cecily got up out of the bed, and Dru lay down in the foetal position and pulled the covers up.

“Come with me” Cecily switched the light off and Sweet and Lorne followed her.

“Daddy, no more bondage games with her. Seems she had a – a flashback of some sort, and you tying her up reminded her of being in a straight jacket at the hospital, and it freaked her out, poor thing. She said she used to cry out ‘Butterfly’, but nobody came and let her out. She’s too fragile for this.”

“Cec, you coming back to bed?” Kendra’s voice drifted from the other bedroom.

“In a minute, baby”

“Come and join us if you want, leave her to sleep. She’ll be fine in the morning, I’m sure” Cecily tried to reassure Sweet.

“No, I – I’ll just stay with Lorne, okay?” Sweet said, finishing his second large brandy.

“Okay, see you later then” Cecily went back to her room.

“You ok Daddy?” Lorne asked

“I will be if you hold me” For the first time in ages, Lorne thought how small and vulnerable Sweet looked.

“Come on…Your Lorne will sort things. I’ll make things better for you” he led Sweet off to his room.

************

“Carling-Blake’s office”

“Ah, um…hell-hello. Um, your switchboard put me through. I er, I was wondering…see the thing is, it’s well – I don’t really know where to start-“

“Look, sir, can I help you, because I’m very busy, and my time is precious” Cordelia said frostily. She often had the switchboard put members of the public through to her with silly requests, for autographs or some such, and she went mad at them for wasting her time.

“My daughter, it’s about my daughter, I’ve been given to believe she’s signed to your record company”

“Your daughter? – I see. Who would that be then?”

“Her name is Buffy, Buffy Summers, she won the Search For a Star competition, I kinda lost contact with her, and I was wondering whether you could tell me, is she there?”

“I’m sorry sir, I do know who you mean, but I couldn’t possibly divulge any such information like that to a stranger over the phone. You’re her father you say – don’t you have a home phone number for her?”

“I do, but well, it never gets answered”

“Okay. Look, I’m not promising anything, but if you leave me your name, and a contact number, I could see that she gets it”

“Oh, um… I don’t think…well things ended badly, you see” Hank said. Cordelia rolled her eyes. She’d seen it a hundred times before. Father buggered off when the child was young, and then once their progeny got a whiff of fame, they came crawling out of the woodwork…

“I’m sorry sir, but taking your name and a contact number is the best I can do, company policy.”

“Well, I don’t hold out much hope, but here goes, I’m Hank Summers, and she can reach me on, 555 5042. Tell her – um no, doesn’t matter. Thankyou, bye”

“I’ll see she gets it, goodbye”

Cordelia went into the messenger bay and gave one of the runners a note for Spike. Ten minutes later he came up to the office.

“Hi, wanted to see me?” he held up the note. Cordelia nodded

“Yeah. Where’s Buffy?”

“First floor, having photo’s done for ‘Billboard’ magazine, why?”

“Has she ever said anything to you about her father?”

“Her father? – You mean the – hold on, let me get this right…the low-down, two timing, lying, cheating, no good son-of-a-bitch? Him, that father –“

“Hmm, thought so. He just phoned, wanted to speak to her. I told him I couldn’t possibly reveal her whereabouts, but I took his name and number, thought I’d sound you out first” She wrote down the info and held it out to him.

“Right. Good, thanks, Cordy”

“Welcome. They all come crawling out of the woodwork sooner or later, don’t they?”

“Yeah…I just hope it doesn’t upset-what’s that?” Spike frowned, then Cordelia did; they could hear singing (of a fashion) getting louder. The office door opened, and in walked Xander, wearing jeans, a denim shirt and a leather waistcoat – and horror of horrors – cowboy boots. EMBROIDERED cowboy boots. Cordelia and Spike exchanged looks.

“………even though you’re gone, my heart still yearns for-what. WHAT?” Xander stopped ‘singing’ and looked at the them.

“Don’t think you’re coming in here, singing ‘Home-on-the-bloody-Range’ songs
matey-boy, coz you’re not. I. Will. Slap. You” Cordelia said, leaning her head forward to emphasise the last four words.

“Yeah, and I’ll bloody hold you while she does it! Xander! – What have you got on?” Spike frowned, staring at his friend’s feet.

“What these?” Xander grinned and raised a foot, and then said,

“Neat aren’t they!” Again Cordelia and Spike exchanged another look.

“Um…what does Harmony think?” Cordy asked

“Well, she wasn’t too sure at first, but when Caleb said he’d get her a pair too, and she’s going to come to the Line-dancing session at the Cactus Gulch Saloon tonight meet some of Caleb’s friends”

Cordelia grabbed Spike’s arm.

“If I hear so much as one teeny, weeny, tiny ‘Yee Haw’ off of him, I swear I’ll-“

“Ow, Cordy, ow, ow, OW!” Spike winced and rubbed his arm where Cordelia’s nails had started to dig in.

“Sorry! But I mean it, Spike!”

“Well look pet, if he does, you have my full permission to lasso him to a chair
and subject him to any kind torture you think fit…starting with those boots!” Cordy grinned at Spike, and mouthed ‘thankyou’!

“Right, well, I’ll be off – um good luck!” Spike said

“I’m going to need it, I don’t have much sense of rhythm”

“I meant Cordy…and I think those last two words of your sentence were un-necessary!” Spike and smiling, and Cordy began to giggle, while Xander tried to work it out…

“Later!” Spike left the office still smiling.

“…Going to need it…I don’t um, don’t have much sense of…don’t have much sense. I. Don’t. Have. Much. Sense. – Hey! Bloody cheek!” Xander looked indignantly at a giggling Cordy.

“We’re only playing. I suppose we should be thankful you haven’t got to manage Ilyria – god alone knows what you’d look like if you did!”

“She of the blue hair? – She’s with us now?” Xander asked

“She signs with us tomorrow. She’s finished with Sony.”

“Wow…Spike going to manage her?”

“Actually, I don’t know yet, I suppose we’ll find out later this evening at the monthly meeting”

**********

“It’s a new one, Luigi asked us to try it, see what we think!” Spike handed Buffy a two-pint container full of extra rich Tiramisu ice cream.

“Ooh, yummy!”

“Buffy” Spike looked serious, and Buffy walked around the island counter in her kitchen, and put her arms around him.

“What’s the matter baby?” It crossed her mind suddenly that he was going to have to let her down over New York. Spike held her to him, smoothed hair from her face and said,

“Now don’t worry, all Cordelia did was take his name and number. It’s your father. He phoned this afternoon, wanting to speak to you”

“What? – Why the – of all the bloody- what a nerve! Huh, didn’t want to know when mom was dying – or the funeral…cheeky bastard! Um, sorry!” Buffy bit her bottom lip, and looked a little sheepishly at Spike, who just cuddled her up.

“Don’t worry petal. We see it a lot. It happens all the time. Wayward fathers come crawling out of the woodwork when they think their progeny are famous”

“Huh. Father. Just because a man donates sperm, doesn’t make him a father.”

“I take it you don’t want the contact number he left then”

“No I don’t. Besides which, he knows where I live, and this number!”

“I know kitten – so, we going try out this ice cream, or what?”

“Sure! I’ll – oh hold on” Buffy answered her mobile.

“Hi Cordy…Spike, yes he’s here, hold on – Spike, it’s Cordy” She passed him her phone and went to get some dishes for the ice cream.

“Hi Cordy - Is it? – Oh………it is, yes, sorry. I forgot to turn it back on when I left the recording suite” Spike switched on his mobile.

“So what’s the problem?………………BLOODY HELL – I clean forgot – I’ll be right there – thanks, bye”

“Problems?”

“The monthly meeting! I clean forgot all about it! I should have been there twenty minutes ago – I’m sorry pet – I’ve got to scoot – Sweet hates to be kept waiting” Buffy’s shoulders dropped, and she put the spoon down and came round to him

“It’s okay, can’t be helped. I can play catch-up (she eyed a mountain of correspondence) – have a bath, do some laundry, and I must phone Willow, and that”

“I’m sorry babe, I’ll make it up to you”

“I’ll keep you to that” He gave her quite a passionate kiss, and went to the front door.

“I am sorry love – don’t you eat all that ice cream, save me some!” They smiled at each other.

“I will, well, I might! Never mind – you drive carefully, now” she gave him another kiss and he left. Buffy waved and closed the door, and thought she’d better phone Willow.

***

Spike entered the room swiftly and threw his car keys down on the table.

“Sorry I’m late”

“Yes, well, you’re here now. Lucky Cordelia knew where to contact you since your mobile was switched off”
Sweet said, but Spike didn’t rise to it, he said nothing. Sweet addressed the assembled team, of Xander, Spike, Glory Benson, Ethan Raine, three other mangers and of course Cordelia taking the notes.

“Right, first things first, new signings. We have Caleb, from Midnight Music, I hope you’re up to speed with his style and venue’s Spike”

“Actually-“ Xander piped up, but Cordelia quickly gave him a light kick under the table so he’d say nothing. Xander took this to mean that Spike hadn’t got around to telling Sweet that he’d passed him over to him, so he stayed quiet. Sweet had totally ignored him anyway.

“Then we have Betty – sorry, I keep getting that wrong, Buffy. Buffy? – Is it?”

“Yes” Cordelia said.

“Right. I take it as read you’re ‘on top’ of things there”
Sweet said, smirking, as was Glory Benson. Cordelia could see Spike beginning to seethe out of the corner of her eye, and knew Sweet was needling him for being late. Dangerous. Boss or not, you only pushed Spike so far…

“Hopefully we have Ilyria signing tomorrow, Tom, I want you to take her over” One of the other managers nodded.

“Now, last but not least, we have Noiz…dear, dear, dear. What do we do about Noiz, hmm? Spike – you’re their manager, any ideas?” Sweet asked sarcastically. Spike had had enough. He looked at Sweet dead in the eyes and said pointedly,

“Plenty. First off I think that we should get to their drugs supplier and put him out of the picture – don’t you? - That might calm them down a bit.”

Sweet wasn’t stupid, he knew that Spike knew it was him supplying the band, he wondered whether Spike also knew it was him that supplied ‘Animal’ the drummer with the heroin he’d been found in possession of, and was awaiting sentence for.

Spike continued, thought he’d continue to needle Sweet.

“I mean, if it were to come out in open court just WHO had supplied Animal with the heroin, then maybe-”

“Hey, come on…I look at it this way – naughty boys, eh? It’s rock and roll! All good publicity, odd fight with photographers…and who hasn’t been caught in possession of class A drugs…practically de rigeur for a rockstar !” Sweet said jovially, trying to lighten the mood, and shut Spike up. But Spike wasn’t in the mood to be shut up, he continued,

“Yeah well if you’re prepared to put up with it Sweet – all well and good, you know what they say put up or shut up – just don’t come nagging me coz things are being cancelled right left and centre. Look, we need to get Trick into rehab-”

“You’ll be lucky, he won’t go voluntarily!” Glory said. Spike flashed her a look, and repeated,

“Get Trick – and Rack really, but most of all, get Trick into rehab, coz if this assault charge suddenly escalates and this photographer dies it’ll be a manslaughter charge he’ll be on, and he’ll have no option. What we need is damage limitation here. Get him into Rehab, one of those private London clinics, let them drop off the scene for a while until the heat dies down. Then we can do the comeback tour”

Spike was flying close to the wind here, but he didn’t care, Sweet wanted to play dirty – bring it on, but when all was said and done, what Spike had said was 100% right.

“Okay, moving on. Gunn” Sweet said

“That little spat on your show, wasn’t very well reported” Sweet addressed his comments to Glory.

“It was in your papers!”

“I know that, but it didn’t even rate a mention in any of the others”

“Because it’s self-publicity – the tabloids are sick of it, they KNOW it’s all a put up job” Glory said wearily.

“Yeah, get someone to do a ‘drive-by’ on her, get some proper publicity then!” Spike said quietly, only Cordelia, Xander and Glory herself heard this.

“DO YOU MIND!” Glory snapped at Spike, but he Cordy and Xander were grinning.

“Not at all.” Spike stared Glory out. Sweet wondered what was eating Spike, and it crossed his mind if it could be about Dru being back.

The put-down of Glory broke the tension a little, and Spike sat back, idly playing with his keys. He knew his value to Sweet, and Sweet did too. Spike was the best manager around by far – Sweet couldn’t afford to loose him. That’s why he let Spike get away with the sarcasm and answering back.

“Okay, anything else?” Xander looked at Spike.

“Yeah. I’ve passed over the managing of Caleb to Xander. He’s more up on venues and that style of music, personally, I wouldn’t have a clue. Xand’s the man. Also he now manages Harmony. The girl needs a change of image, she’s 25, and getting too old for the ‘Teeny-Bop’ princess label. Her change of style at the radio awards got her front pages in seven papers, all very positive – we should go with it. Plenty more ‘Harmony’ wannabe’s in the wings – we could pick up half a dozen no sweat” Spike said. Sweet looked at him, and nodded

“Okay, I’ll leave it to you, if you think Alexander here is capable”

“He’s more than capable” Spike said. Xander’s chest almost swelled with pride, and he was SO grateful at Spike for speaking up for him, saving him the job of stammering and bungling through it and making Sweet think he was an idiot…

“Getting back to Be-uffy. Her album coming on is it?”

“It’s done. That’s how much of a professional she is – just ask Ethan here – what was it you said about her when she came on your show?” Spike turned to the show-host

“Oh, um, er well I um, said that, erm…well, how m-much of a professional she was…I don’t like f-f-first timers – but you couldn’t tell”

“I LOVE them!” Glory smiled her evil smile

“Done is it? Well, when is it going to be released?” Sweet was impressed

“We’ll see this New York trip out of the way first, get some more TV behind her – I should say mid September – third week somewhere around there, then a Christmas release, and then January she’ll start a 20 date tour”

“Not let the grass grow on this little lady, have you?” Sweet tried to grin, but as usual, it looked like a lop-sided leer.

“Spike’s taken a ‘special interest’ in this one, haven’t you darling?” Glory said, acidly.

“Who’s going to New York with her?” Sweet asked

“Me. I am, taking two days personal time. The other two days I’ll be working, getting in touch with my contacts, getting her some TV and that”

“Personal time eh? How very…dedicated, but then, you always were dedicated, weren’t you Spike………” Glory said giving Spike an evil grin.

Sweet noticed his right hand beginning to shake, and knew it was time for him to go, and take his ‘medicine’. He stood up.

“Daddy! We were going to discuss my new show” Glory sat forward, shuffling papers

“Some other time, Glory” Sweet went to the door and turned

“But Daddy – you said - ”

“Now I’m saying some other time – Spike, a word please” Cordy glanced at Spike as he stood and followed Sweet out of the door.

“I know how things are, it must be a little hard for you at the moment, it came as a shock to me when I saw her, so I’ll let your – lets say, less than respectful attitude pass this time – but speak to me like that in front of the others again, and you and I will fall out”
Sweet didn’t give Spike time to reply, he turned and walked into the waiting lift.

Spike frowned, then his brows rose, he was thinking,‘ hard for me, and a shock when he saw her – saw who? What the hell was he on about now? And then he shrugged. It must be the drugs, he thought, addled his brain. He went back into the conference room to Xander and Cordy.

“Spike! Thanks mate – I can’t believe how easy you made that seem!” Xander actually hugged him.

“Hey! Steady on, it’s ok mate…um, oh, didn’t you have somewhere to be?” Spike spied Harmony, looking like an extra from ‘Annie Get Your Gun’ waving at them through the glass doors.

“What – oh blimey, yes – line-dancing - I’ll see y’all tomorrow, pardners!” Xander picked up a cowboy hat, plonked it on his head and left.

When Spike looked at Cordy, he grinned.

“Glad I’m out of the office tomorrow – he’ll be Yee Haw-ing and Howdy –Pardners all day!”

Cordy narrowed her eyes.

“I MIGHT just loose your expenses form if you don’t help me out here!”

“Ooh, temper, temper…you could always get Harmony in, discuss her change of image for a few hours”

“Is THAT supposed to make me feel better?” Cordy glared at Spike.

“Or, you could pass everything over to the typing pool as we know Sweet won’t be in for another week now, and you could go shopping with Buffy – I’ll even sign a chit for a little something for yourself” Spike smiled, Cordelia grinned, and kissed his cheek.

“I KNEW I liked you really!”

“I’ll bring her in for nine, there’s one or two things to sign, but if you could be available from, lets say………10 o’clock – I want her to shop for New York, Holden’s Weekly, and something really nice to wear at a fancy dinner”

“Company cheque book?”

“Of course”

“Right. Well, if I’m doing that, I’ll go type up these minutes now – see you”

“Thanks Cordy, I appreciate this”

“No, Spike, thank YOU!”

***********


“New York! – Buffy, that’s fantastic!” Willow and Buffy were sitting cross-legged facing each other on the sofa.

“I know, and even better, he’s coming with me! I’ll have to do work of course, I’ve got the show, and a signing in a big music store, and then there’s a magazine want to do a spread on me, and an interview with Chart Express at the airport, there’s one or two other bits and bobs, but Spike said that if he manages it right, we’ll still have time for sight-seeing and shopping!”

“Hmm…god, this ice cream is heaven! – So, come on, what’s he like – does he kiss nice?”

“Nice? NICE? Willow – he’s, he’s fantastic! I’m, well, I really falling for him”

Willow smiled a little hesitantly.

“Aren’t you happy for me Will?” Buffy asked

“What – of COURSE I am! – But, well, he must have hundreds of girls after him; he’s very good looking. And he meets all the top stars and spends time with them, and um…that”

“But he doesn’t – I said this…is it like this with all the female singers, but they usually have what’s called ‘minders.’ Managers only usually spend about an hour a week with their acts. He said it was different with me…I really, really like him Will” Buffy smiled at her friend

“Well good! Just, just be careful, I don’t want you to get hurt, that’s all”

“I know. Now, I want to ask you a big huge favour”

“What’s that?”

“Would you move in here for a few weeks, look after the house for me”

“That would be great – and doing me a favour! I could get some Oz time!” Both girls giggled.

“Not very romantic when you’ve got a heavy-metal freak the one side, and a girl that’s learning to play the viola the other side…kinda hard to get in the mood…”

“Oh guess what, Angel sent me flowers, and my dad rang the record company!”

“NO!”

“Oh yes – and I’ll tell you this much……………”

***********


“Is that it, one case – you travel light!” Jenny abandoned the luggage trolley she’d got and took Anya’s case off her.

“I went there to write songs – not to holiday, so, how’s things?”

“Let’s get back to yours, I’ve got a Thai style banquet for three in case you were extra hungry, get a bottle of wine open and I’ll tell you all about it”
Jenny hauled open a taxi door and they got inside.

***

“………Hmm, any more of that lemon grass and coconut chicken? – Thanks, so go on, what happened then?”

“Well, I was SO disappointed he said no I couldn’t use the restaurant for the book review, I said it then about Ethan and his Mrs, I couldn’t help it, it just sort of came out”

“The one thing I told you never to bring up – Jenny…I’ll tell you now, I spoke to him this afternoon” Anya said

“What – where? When? I’ve left messages everywhere, at the studio, the restaurant, his mobile – and he hasn’t got back to me“

“He’s too angry to speak to you”

“I’ve blown it then” Jenny’s shoulders dropped and she heaved a sigh.

“Give it a week or two, he may come round”

“If he knew just how sorry I was…”

“The more you push it, the more I think he’ll dig his heels in. Give him some time to cool off, and then in a few weeks, phone him, telling him you’ll be in town, suggest going for a coffee or something” Anya said

“But what if he says no?”

“Then you know you’ve blown it”

*************


“Dru…Drusilla”

“Hmm?”

“Do you want to come out with us? – We’re going to a rock concert, then clubbing”

“Oh, no…no thanks”

“Sure – you’re welcome”

“No thankyou. I’ll stay in and watch TV. Besides which, I haven’t any money”

“Ask Daddy! He’ll give you some” Cecily said, throwing off her robe and standing naked in front of her wardrobe, she began to sift through the rails of clothes.

“I don’t like to…Cecily, where are my tablets?”

“Hmm – sorry pet, what?” Cecily came out of her wardrobe, holding up a leather basque with a net tutu by Vivian Westwood, holey stockings and impossibly high platform heeled shoes

“My medication, where is it – it was in my purse”

“Oh, and it’s not there now? Um…let me think………ah, I know, it’s at Daddy’s, we had to give you some when you went all…well, shall I ring him for you”

“I DO need it” Dru looked pained, she didn’t want to be a bother to anyone.

“Ok, well let me get dressed, and I’ll sort things for you”

“………you will – great I’ll tell her, bye!” Cecily put the phone down, and went into the lounge where Dru was watching TV.

“Daddy’s sending Lorne over with them for you okay pet, don’t wait up!”

She kissed her friends cheek, leaving a smear of deep purple punk lipstick.

“Have a nice time”

“We will! – Bye-ee!”

Half an hour later, Lorne knocked on the door.

“Daddy’s worried about you. He wants you to come and stay with him” Lorne told her.

“He’s not mad with me then?”

“Course not. Cecily gone out has she?”

“Yes. To a concert, all punked up, scary makeup. I didn’t want to go”

“Come back with me Dru. I’ll take care of you. Me and Daddy” Lorne held his hand out to her, and like a child she nodded and allowed herself to be led to the car.
Chapter 16 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 16

Buffy couldn’t help grinning broadly as the taxi pulled up outside the Ritz-Carlton Hotel.

“I’m SO glad the Sheraton messed up the bookings – and now we can stay here!”
Spike grinned at her child-like enthusiasm.

“Sure about the suite though, I can book another-“

“Spike, I’m sure I’m sure, okay – it’s what I want” They smiled at each other, and Spike went to check in while the bellhops sorted out the luggage.

Five minutes later, Buffy was looking out over a magnificent view of Central Park, after looking around the suite in wonder at the huge bathroom with sunken whirlpool bath and giant walk-in shower, lounge with every thing you could want, and a bedroom with a massive bed.

“Wow…look at that for a view!” Buffy turned and saw that Spike was on his cell phone, but he smiled at her and ended his call and came over to the big picture window.

“Sorry, I didn’t realise you were on the phone” Buffy said

“It’s okay pet. Look, I’ve just bought that ‘One-To-Watch’ interview forward, if we can get that in before we have to go off to the record store signing, it means you can have…um…let me see…three – yeah, a good three hours shopping – before the shops close, if you want”

“Oh wow! Oh yes please!” Buffy bounced on the balls of her feet, she wasn’t in the slightest bit tired, more like a kid on Christmas eve!

“And er, where is it…ah, here we are – spending money” Spike held out a cheque to her. Buffy’s eyes went huge, and she sat down heavily in the nearest chair.

“Oh my god! I’ve never – I mean – but what if-oh!”
Spike chuckled at her incredulity.

“Babe, your single is number one, your album will do the same, that’s a drop in the ocean”

Buffy saw the words ‘five hundred thousand dollars’, and couldn’t comprehend such amounts of money…HER money!

“Are you tired pet?” Buffy shook her head

“Hungry?”

“Um…a bit. How long have we got before I’ve got to do anything?”
Spike looked at his watch again.

“Well, I didn’t know just how tired you’d be, so didn’t book anything until three o’clock this afternoon.”

“Oh good!”

“Would you trust me on this?” Spike said, holding her around the waist. Buffy smiled up at him, and slipped her hands around the back of his neck.

“Course”

“I know you said you don’t feel tired, but, have a rest now. You’ll feel better for it later on”

“Ok…will, um…will you stay with me?”

“Course I will pet” Spike had his lips by her forehead, and he kissed it softly.
Buffy yawned, and then giggled.

“I didn’t think I was tired!” Buffy led Spike into the bedroom. While she carried on into the bathroom, Spike took off his shoes and sat on the bed. He thought it prudent to set his watch alarm, just in case they fell asleep.

Buffy came back into the bedroom, threw the skirt she’d been wearing over the chair, and looked at Spike who was sitting on the bed with his back to her. She could hear a little beeping sound. She crawled over the bed and knelt behind him, slipped her arms around his neck and looking over his shoulder she said,

“Oh. I thought you’d got one of those computer game things…what are you doing?” Spike pressed the winder of his watch in, and put it on the nightstand, he turned his head and said to her,

“Just setting my watch alarm, so we don’t oversleep” He kissed her nose lightly and Buffy looked at his lips for a second or two, then she began to kiss him properly. Without breaking the kiss, he shifted around, and they somehow managed to manoeuvre themselves to lying down facing each other.

“Are you really sure about this love, I don’t want you to think I-“

“Sure I’m sure…” Buffy lay more on her back with Spike leaning over her, their kisses becoming more wanton and passionate.
He began to kiss and nibble at her neck, making her pant and writhe. Suddenly he stopped.

“Um…sorry babe, but I, well, I haven’t got any………I need to get condoms” Buffy shook her head and said,

“It’s ok, I’m on the pill for irregular… I’m safe, okay?” one thought hit Spike
**Wow, bare-back** not only was he going to make love to this beautiful woman, it was going to be as nature intended…he resumed kissing her

“God baby, you smell so good, you’re SO beautiful” Spike breathed in her ear. With slightly shaky fingers, she began to undo his shirt, and pushed it down his arms. Raising up slightly, Spike threw it off him and onto the floor, and he in turn gently removed her sweater.
He then started to kiss lower on her neck, and the tops of her breasts. Buffy could feel him trying to find the clasp of her bra at the back, so to help she pressed on the rose covered clip in the front and the cups parted, and she raised up and let it slide off her arms. All she had on now were her tiny panties. Spike still had his jeans on. He began to nuzzle at her soft firm breasts, kissing and teasing her nipples, flicking with his tongue and sucking them in turn to hard nubs, making Buffy gasp and hold his head to her. In between his ministrations, he would murmur how lovely she was, how soft she felt. He quickly skimmed down kissing her abdomen, and settled between her satin-soft thighs. Buffy raised her head off the pillow, slightly frowning,

“Wha-where are – oh – OH!”
Slipping her thighs over his shoulders, he undid the tiny bows at her hips, and dropped the little scrap of lace-edged silk on the floor, and then Spike said softly,

“So you don’t forget who’s doing this to you…I’m going to write my name with my tongue over a very special place………”
Her head snapped back onto the pillows as a wondrous sensation overtook her body.

Wiggling his tongue over her labia, he gently parted her inner lips until he found his prize, and proceeded with a stiffened tongue-tip to paint the letters of his name over her clitoris, every so often teasing her opening with long deep strokes, that had Buffy breathless. Her head whipping back and forth, she was totally mindless to anything other than the sheer unadulterated pleasure he was giving her. Clutching handfuls of bedding, her hips rocked of their own volition, and she couldn’t breathe properly, her neck arched, eyes tight shut, her mouth open, she was gasping, such sensations she’d never had, fact was she’d never had oral sex before.

“Mmm……… baby…is that good, huh?”
Buffy tried to answer, honestly she did. A slightly strangulated, ‘Yea –hmm, ooooohhhhh’………was the best she could manage, as words eluded her. Spike chuckled and continued his ministrations, finally sliding a finger inside her hot, tight depths to rub her G spot, causing Buffy’s already maximum loaded senses to trip to over-load and she cried out and bucked her hips as a series of mini-orgasms ripped through her.

Spike couldn’t stand the tight confines of his jeans any longer, and he quickly undid the belt and snapped open the top button. The sheer size and weight of his monster hard-on made the zip open on it’s own, and he speedily shed them and kicked them on the floor.

Leaning on one forearm, Spike reared over her and began to kiss her neck and then her lips, blindly Buffy reached for him, and she felt his whole body stiffen and he gasped when her fingers closed around his huge erection. Her fingers didn’t meet he was so big, and her eyes flew open, her first thought was that he’d never fit!

Glancing down what she saw only confirmed her first thought. He was absolutely massive! She circled her thumb over the leaking slit, lubricating the head, and Spike gasped and closed his eyes, letting his head drop to her neck.

“Baby – oh gods – I’ll be gentle, go slow – oooh!” he shuddered as he felt her put him at her opening, and he slowly began to enter her. Buffy arched her back, and Spike withdrew and thrust forward several times before he was a little over half way inside her. They were both gasping – she was so tight and hot and glorious – Buffy wanted him so much, she began to firmly thrust her hips up towards his. Spike reached down and snagged her behind the knee and drew her leg up towards her chest, and Buffy followed with the other leg automatically, and crossed her ankles behind his back, high up around is waist. Spike slowly sank fully inside her to the hilt, pushing right into her cervix, he could feel the tight hot cushiony squeezing of her inner walls surround him, and he knew she felt so good that he wouldn’t last, he wanted her too much for too long – he’d wanted her the second he’d set eyes on her, and the actual act of their union was so much better than he’d imagined.

Buffy’s fingers flexed, she held his shoulder, his biceps, feeling the straining muscles under her fingers, their hips churning, the sensations and feeling they were giving and receiving were so utterly unbelievably good that neither could speak at first, it was hard enough to just drag air into their lungs! He leaned down and kissed her, their tongues fort for dominance, before moving onto her neck. She had noticed that his neck was particularly sensitive, and when she lightly bit down and sucked, it sent him wild, as did the kneading of his shoulders and the light raking of her nails down his back. Spike upped the pace and began to thrust harder and faster much to Buffy’s delight; she too matched his pace. She marvelled at Mother Nature that she could accommodate him so completely, he utterly filled her to the brim – and the feeling was indescribably good.

“Baby…oh god, so good………you’re too, good……I can’t hold…” Spike began to babble

“Do it! Don’t…stop, ooh…oh yeah…oooh, Spike, don’t stop, harder…oh, I’m oh, ooooohhhhh – “

“Buffy – oh – me too…I’m…aaaaahhhhh – “

Thrusting at an incredible pace, Spike felt the first involuntary clench of her orgasm, and knew he couldn’t hold back any longer himself, he thrust up as hard as he could. She felt him swell, stretching her that little bit more, the sweet tight clench of her femininity milking him as he shot a heavy load inside her, both crying out the longest deepest hardest orgasm they’d ever had. Ever. Ever, ever, ever……………

Spike came to with his head on the pillow. Buffy had run a hand through her hair, leaving her palm resting on her forehead. They were both panting hard.
When she could speak, Buffy croaked,

“I honestly didn’t know it could be like that, so fantastic, so completely………”

“Incredibly, wow?” Spike finished for her.

“Babe, that was…well…quite simply the best, you were incredible” he leaned up and gave her a soft kiss.

“Me? It was you!” She deepened the kiss, her tongue fighting a duel with his. He was still rock hard, still inside her.

“Are you sore pet, shall I –“ he went to move, but Buffy gave him a squeeze with her thighs, and she held on tight to his shoulders, and Spike grinned down at her.

“More. Again” She demanded, smiling up at him, and Spike, ever happy to comply began to thrust slowly again; slightly awestruck that he’d remained hard. She picked up his rhythm and they were both able to last longer this time, bringing each other to the dizzying heights of pure ecstasy that even rivalled their first time, culminating in an earth-shattering climax that left them both exhausted, and they fell asleep wrapped in each others arms.

***

Buffy stirred, then came awake fully. The first thing she realised was that she was snuggled up to a very sexy, very naked Spike. The second thing she noticed, was that the phone was ringing.

“Spike…Spike”

“Hmm – “

“Phone’s ringing, baby”

Spike shifted on his back and groped for the phone on the nightstand.

“Yeah?” he asked sleepily, then he sat up

“Right, um sorry…jet-lag caught up with us, um, give us fifteen minutes would you, and um, send up some coffee and sandwiches please…thankyou” Spike put down the phone and turned to Buffy and said,

“We overslept! The watch alarm went off but we must have been in too deep a sleep to hear it. One-To-Watch are here for the interview, I said to give us fifteen, you go have a quick shower, I’ve ordered coffee and sandwiches, is that ok baby…sorry ‘bout the rush”
He leant over and kissed her.
Buffy hugged him to her for a second and said,

“That’s fine – I won’t be long” She got up and went and had a quick shower. Five minutes later she came back into the bedroom wearing her towelling robe.

“We doing the interview up here?”

“Don’t mind, do you pet?”

“Course not…jeans will be ok, won’t they, they don’t want pictures?”

“We can always get Cordelia at the office to fax through photo’s – oh – that should be the room-service”
Spike went and opened the door. And a man wearing a white jacket wheeled in a trolley with a mountain of assorted sandwiches and a huge pot of coffee and cups and that. Spike tipped him and immediately set about pouring them both a drink.

**********


All through the interview, Spike sort of hovered in the background. He kept on catching Buffy’s eye, and they couldn’t stop smiling at each other, a fact picked up on by the interviewer. At the end, as she was packing her tape recorder and things away she said to Buffy,

“Is he your boyfriend?” Buffy looked at Spike and grinned.

“Spike? Spike is my manager, and my…yes, my boyfriend” she glanced at him again, and he was grinning.

“Thought so…the air sort of, well crackles around you, and you haven’t taken your eyes off each other the whole time…” She smiled at Buffy and continued,

“Not that I blame you, he’s all sorts of gorgeous, isn’t he! Well, nice meeting you Buffy, and good luck with the album – not that you’ll need any luck”
She held out her hand and Buffy shook it, grinning and said thankyou. The woman left.

As soon as the door was shut, Buffy was in Spike’s arms, and they were kissing.

“What time is the car coming for us?”

“Twenty minutes”

“Right, well, I suppose I better put a bit of colour on my face, I must look a fright!”

Spike gave her a quick kiss and said,

“Nope, you look beautiful to me love” Buffy smiled and blushed slightly, which she knew was silly, but still…

*****

“Oh my GOD! They are not all here to see me are they?” The limo passed the front of the MegaMusic Store and Buffy stared with amazement at the huge crowds of people. She could see marshals holding them back behind barriers that tightly zigzagged their way up to the store entrance.

“Well they sure aren’t here to see me, pet!”

The popularity of her own celebrity still surprised her. The car slid smoothly into the parking bay at the back of the shop where they were met by the manager at the fire-exit door.

They were both ushered in quickly, and Spike said he’d wait in the manager’s office for her.

Buffy came out into the shop, through a door marked ‘Private’ and the first 50 of the waiting crowd had been let in. Stacked all around were copies of her CD, and a life-sized cardboard cut outs of the picture of Buffy standing on the shore adored the shop floor and windows advertising her song and the fact that she would be appearing at the shop to sign copies. Her song was playing over the air and for an hour and a half Buffy signed copies of the CD cover, and shook hands.

Spike had prudently got the store to get some already signed photos (stamped ones done by the secretaries) of Buffy in, so if they sold out of the single, the customers wouldn’t be too disappointed and would have something to show for their patient queuing.
This was good thinking on his part as the store had, in fact, sold out it’s allocated 1500 copies of the CD, people had been buying it all the previous day and the morning too.
After thanking the very happy manager, Buffy and Spike left and got back into the car.

“Here, put these on pet, and I bought this for you to put on…right, I think you said shopping was the order of the day, yes?” Excitedly Buffy put the little pale blue cardigan on, and the dark glasses, and Spike asked the driver to take them to Madison Avenue rather than back to the hotel.

Bowled over by the fact that she could see all the designer stores, let alone shop in them, Buffy went into Versace, Armani, La Perla, Prada, Dolce and Gabbana, DKNY and Calvin Klein. She also visited Bloomingdales, and she’d spent a fortune!
She’d probably spent more in two and a half hours, than she’d spent in her entire lifetime. But she was bubbly happy as they walked through the shops, shops she’d only ever dreamed about going into, let alone buying anything! She was hand in hand with Spike, she’d never honestly been so happy.

They’d had to make several trips back to the car to load her shopping. By seven o’ clock it was dark and they both were hungry.
Spike asked the driver to take them back to the hotel via Broadway, so Buffy could see all the theatres and the bright lights.

When they did get back to the hotel Spike asked her what she wanted to do, go out, eat in, or send for room service. Thanks to the afternoon sleep, they didn’t feel all that tired, and Buffy wanted to be out, experiencing it all.

“Don’t tire yourself out Kitten, you’ve got that TV show tomorrow morning remember, and we want you to be all bright eyed and bushy tailed for that!” Spike reminded her.

“I know. We won’t be too late back…now, I don’t know about you, but I’m starving!”

“Yup, me too babe!”

“I fancy a big, juicy steak…yeah that’s what I want” Buffy rubbed her tummy, nodding.

“Sounds excellent, I know just the place” Spike said grinning.

They both got changed and took a cab and went to a restaurant Spike knew off Madison Ave. Where they both had huge steaks with fries and salad a bottle of good wine and then they shared an enormous ice cream confection that defeated them both in the end and they had to leave some as they were both full.

“Shall we walk a few blocks, look at the shops and then get a cab the rest of the way?” Spike suggested, which Buffy was happy to do.

They were soon back at the hotel, were there was several messages for Spike. While Buffy did her thing in the bathroom, Spike set up his laptop in the sitting room and caught up with a little work. Buffy called him from the bedroom.

“Will you be long, baby?” She stood there leaning against the doorjamb, one hand seductively holding near the top of the door, her one hip thrown into profile. Saucily she ran her tongue along her top lip. She was wearing one of her purchases, a filmy little bit of lacy nothing, held together with tiny satin ribbons that accentuated her curves and made her look so utterly desirable and so sexy that Spike went and just shut down his laptop and join her straight away!

“You like?”

“Uh, uh, I LOVE…but I prefer you totally naked, c’mere you sexy little minx!” Buffy squealed as Spike made a playful dive for her and she very quickly allowed him to ‘catch’ her. She slid her arms around his neck and said seductively,

“So…whaddya gonna do now you’ve caught me, huh?” Grinning, she teased and ground her hips against his growing erection, making him catch a breath.

“Well now………let me see, I always thought actions spoke louder than words…” Spike gently walked her backwards and they both tumbled to the bed, where he began to pull open the little satin bows till all her delights were exposed to him, and he began to nibble on her neck fondle her breasts and suckle at her nipples, making her mewl like a kitten, getting her very hot. Emboldened by the wine she’d had earlier she gently pushed down on the top of his head and said,

“I’ve forgotten…remind me of your name again, would you?” Spike grinned at her, and after undressing himself in record speed, he quickly settled between her smooth legs and gave a repeat performance of writing his name for her, over, and over, and over again, until Buffy had lost count of the orgasms and had shouted herself hoarse.
****

Buffy woke and stretched she looked at the clock; it was 3.50am. She got up and went to the bathroom. Feeling ever so slightly sore and a little sticky, she had a shower and felt refreshed. The room was warm enough to pad around naked in, and when she got back into bed, she found Spike had shifted from lying on his side to on his back. She looked at him – and gods, he looked so hansom. His growing out bleach job tumbled mop of unruly curls, the chiselled jaw, full lips to his fine physique, well-muscled shoulders and biceps, to the six-pack abs. He was one neat package all right!

Feeling wide awake, and full of devilment, Buffy lightly traced her finger down his chest, around under his pectoral muscles and then she traced on down between his six-pack. Spike stirred slightly and she smiled. Under the sheet, she could see the outline of his huge manhood beginning to stiffen. Gently she inched the sheet down, until she had him full exposed. She fluttered her fingers through his crisp curls and tickled over his thighs. She was dying to touch him. It.
Swallowing and licking her lips, she bent her head forward, and licked the length of his shaft. Spike murmured a sigh and he moved his head to lay on his other cheek. Buffy stifled a giggle, and did it again, this time she gently took hold of him, and lifted the head to her mouth. She licked around the head, and then making her lips into a wet ‘O’ shape, she slowly slid them down, clamping them under the ridge, sucking gently. She began to slowly pump him, taking as much of him into her mouth as she could, and bringing her other hand into the mix, she cupped his balls, lightly squeezing and massaging circles over them with her thumb. Spike let out a loud pleasured groan and bucked his hips up toward her. Buffy for her part, was really enjoying herself. She’d only done this once before, and (or so she’d been told) needed a lot more practice.

The one thing she would be grateful for though, was to a certain young troubled student at her last job. Dawn her name was, always getting herself into scrapes…Buffy came round to her office area the one day to find Dawn looking at a website, ‘How to give better blowjobs’. Of course, Buffy had admonished her, closed the site and sent the girl on her way immediately, but later she secretly went back and made a note of the web address………

“Ooooohhhhh –babe!” Spike gasped.

She removed her mouth from him, although she still carried on both sets of hand movements.

“Never really done this before…tell me what to do” Buffy said softly

“You’re………you’re doing, oh, f-fine, love…oh god yes!” Spike thrust his hips up, he didn’t want to hurt her, but when her mouth returned to him and began the gentle sucking along with the slow pumping and the massaging of his balls, Spike was in ecstasy.

Trying to remember about what she’d read, she experimented with speed, and firmness of pumping and sucking, just sucking the head or sliding her mouth down as far as she could without gagging, to gauge his reaction to what he like best. The way his thighs tensed and his hips bounced when she pumped him fairly fast and firm, taking him as deeply as possible into her mouth had him mindless, his fingers tangled in her hair as he babbled how good she was doing.

She didn’t suck all the time, and for a while she just pumped and massaged, working her thumb over the fine seam that divided his balls, then she slid her fingers lower to stroke the firm ridge behind them, a very sensitive area, so she’d read, sending Spike wild. The head of his huge dick looked angry and purple and fit to burst, crying out for attention, and so Buffy took pity on him, sucking him greedily into her mouth tasting the clear fluid pre-cum. Twenty minutes of this and Spike couldn’t last out anymore. She noted his breathing got faster and shallower, his hips bounced a little higher and his moans and groans of pleasure got more frequent.

“Babe, I‘m, oh god yeah, so good…I’m gonna…oh yes…oh babe, don’t stop, oh yeah, yeah, oh – god, I’m coming – uhn, uhn, uhn, uhn – ah, ooooohhhhh………oh god, baby, that was…oh!

He’d warned her in plenty of time that he was coming, so she could move her mouth away, but much to his delight and pleasure she chose to stay and she even swallowed, without gagging. She kissed up his abdomen and chest and then she kissed him lightly.

“Any good?” She asked with an impish smile.

“What can I tell you babe…stupendous!”

“Good. I couldn’t sleep!” Spike grinned at her and cuddled her up, kissing the top of her head.

“So I gather. Lucky me then, eh?” They cuddled and just talked for about an
hour, and then they both fell asleep. They were both awake again by half past seven, and they made love slowly and gently, gradually building to a terrific crescendo for them both. Afterwards they decided to give the Jacuzzi a whirl before a room-service breakfast of freshly squeezed orange juice, cereals, bacon and eggs, tea, toast and honey. Spike said it was a good idea to have a hearty breakfast as she was filming and had no idea as to what time lunch would be.

“I was hungry anyway…must be all this energy I’m using!” Spike flashed her a sexy grin, and Buffy wondered just when she’d gotten so bold! She grinned while she buttered a piece of toast.

********

Buffy was shown to her dressing room, which was small, but pleasant enough. Spike said he’d take the opportunity to get on with some work, and when Buffy went off to make-up, he plugged in his laptop and set about catching up.

“Which show are you on, the first or the second, do you know?” the makeup lady asked.

“First, does it make a difference?”

“Well, they record two shows, and the set is changed in between, just a matter of colour co-ordination” the lady explained.

Holden’s Weekly was a popular show, a mixture of celebrities and the general public who had been in the news that week. Buffy had looked through the ‘running order’ and saw that she was ‘sandwiched’ between the local guy who’s dog had saved his life by literally dragging him out of a burning building, and a lady who had once weighed a little over 4001b, but thanks to a special diet had lost three quarters of her body weight.

It was Buffy’s turn, and she was introduced and she came on-set to rapturous applause, the previous guest was still seated, and his dog barked and wagged his tail, Buffy waved to the audience and sat down next to them. The audience laughed as the dog took a shine to Buffy and kept nudging her to fuss and pet him, which Buffy duly did! Holden was the perfect host, and he asked her the usual questions about winning the Search for A Star show, they showed a clip of her singing, as she wasn’t going to sing live, and he asked her how her life had changed, about her forthcoming album and the twenty date tour she was going to do.

They did something new to Buffy while doing a show, and took a ‘live’ phone call from a member of the public, which was put out on air. The call was from a lady who was getting married to her Marine boyfriend, and they both loved the song so much that they were going to have it played at the ceremony. Buffy was very touched and she said thankyou and congratulations to the lady and her fiancé.

Holden wound up the first half of the show, the two guests (and the dog!) getting their applause, and then a ‘before’ photograph of an enormous lady was shown, then it showed her as she was now in the flesh, a trim slim happy looking person, now a quarter of the size she used to be, who smiled and waved to the camera.

“All that plus controversial senator Brad Rico, coming up after this break, don’t go away now!” Holden said to camera

They cut to the commercials, and the first guests could leave. Buffy unclipped her microphone and made her way down the corridor to her dressing room where Spike was waiting for her, watching a small portable TV.

“Hey – was I any good?” She smiled and went and kissed him lightly.

“Brilliant as usual my little baby, although you were nearly up-staged by a cold nose and a waggy tail!” Spike kissed her nose.

“I know – Ruddles what a fantastic dog eh – he was so cute? It was amazing, they don’t know how a dog that size could drag an unconscious man out of a burning house…”

“Well, come on babe, chop-chop, we have to get back to the hotel, Hot! Magazine are due in an hour”

*******


There were six people from Hot! Magazine, the interviewer, a photographer, a lighting man, a sound recordist and two stylists, one doubled up as a makeup artist . Buffy was going to have a six-page spread done on her, she had hundreds of photos taken with at least two dozen changes of clothes. They chatted about her style and life-style, her music and taste in general – and the whole thing took just over two and a half hours.

While Buffy and the Hot! Magazine crew worked in the sitting room, Spike worked in the bedroom, phoning contacts and making arrangements. He’d got her two radio interviews, a teatime teen show slot and as a feature on a local cable-access music show.

She did one of the radio interviews over the phone, and the cable-access show feature from a bench in Central Park, all arty camera angles, that sometimes switched to black and white. It was late afternoon, and Spike knew that she would be feeling pretty tired by now, as he was.

“Anything else today?”

“Nope, just rest – I thought we could go to the Little Italy area tonight – grab us something wonderful to eat, that okay by you pet?” Buffy squeezed his hand and said,

“Hmm, sounds fantastic…so, what have I got to do tomorrow?”

“Sight seeing and more shopping, if you want, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and anywhere else your little heart desires”

Buffy leaned in and kissed his cheek, and Spike let go of her hand and put his arm around her shoulder, hugging her to him. She slipped her arm around his waist, leaning her head on his strong shoulder, and they slowly wended their way back to the hotel.

*********

“Oh my god, that has to be the best thing I’ve had in my mouth since…(she mouthed) ‘this morning’ !” They both giggled and Spike held out a forkful of spaghetti Bolognese to her.

“So, how come you know New York so well, all the best places then?”

“I used to live in Queens for a while – I started off in acting – did drama and English at uni, I got a chance to come to NY for twelve months. We used to do things in Central Park, off Broadway shows, stuff like that, then I drifted into music, became more interested in it than acting. I’d got a few good contacts in the music business, thanks to my father really. He used to let out the estate grounds for pop concerts…that’s how I met Sweet. He was just a manager back in the early nineties. He said to me if I ever needed a job, to go see him – so in 1998 I did. He’d just started Aphrodite then, and it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Several of the top bands had contracts ending with the label they were all at, he broke away, signed them up, and never looked back since”

Buffy sat back and dabbed her mouth.

“That was superb!”

“Want to try their Tiramisu – even better than Luigi’s!”

“Really, is that possible?” Buffy laughed, and a small man, typically Italian looking came out of the kitchen.

“Hey Tony…long time no see!” Spike called over. The man squinted at Spike for a second or two, and then grinned and came from behind the bar over to their table.

“Will-yam! How are you…let me look at you…so, where you hide yourself these days, huh?” After a big back slapping hug Spike sat down and said,

“Based in LA now Tone, gotta go where the music takes me!” Tony pretended to look disgusted and batted the air in front of him.

“LA – Ah – My daughter, Sophia, she’s in LA – she say to me, Papa – nowhere do they do great Italian food – is all wheat-grass and egg-white omelette, she cannot get decent spaghetti vongolé!” Everybody smiled

“What is she doing?”

“Fashion – she is in final year at university – then she wants to go home to Milano” Tony looked at Buffy and smiled

“You have eye for very pretty lady!” Buffy blushed and Spike grinned

“I do indeed, let me introduce you, Tony, this is Buffy, Buffy, Toni Corelli “ Buffy smiled and shook his hand.

“So, you here long?”

“Unfortunately no, we go the day after tomorrow Buffy is a singer and we are here doing promotional work”

“Mixing business with pleasure, no doubt!” Tony nudged Spike, and they both grinned. A tall young man came through from the kitchen and called over to Tony in Italian.

“That is my youngest boy, Tomasso – I must go, try and come again before you go, huh?” He hugged Spike again, and kissed Buffy on both cheeks.

“We’ll try”

Tony went back into the kitchen, and the waitress placed a large portion of Tiramisu between them.

“Hey, do you know why there are so many Italians called Tony in New York?” Spike whispered, and smiling Buffy shook her head.

“Because coming from Italy, they had To NY on their luggage! Here, taste this and tell me what you think!”

“Hmm….this has GOT to be sin on a plate” Buffy said dreamily closing her eyes and savouring every mouthful.

When they left twenty minutes later, after Tony insisting that they didn’t pay, they walked a block and then got a cab back to the hotel.

The rest of the trip passed in a whirl, they went site seeing, shopping and Buffy did the interviews Spike had arranged. He’d also managed to get her a spot on one of the big late night chat shows, and they had to make a dash for the airport to catch their flight back home. They were sitting on the plane, ready for take-off, Spike was holding her hand.

“Well, did you enjoy it babe – your first trip?”

“I loved every second of it – New York will always be so special to me now”

“Me too babe!” They felt the plane pick up speed as it began to taxi down the runway and then take off.

Spike had always liked New York, and he had a better reason to do so now, it was where he fell in love with a girl called Buffy………
Chapter 17 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 17

“So, how was New York?” Cordelia asked a grinning Spike

“Loud, noisy, busy, fantastic! – How have things been here?”

“Loud, noisy, busy, not so fantastic”

“Oh?”

“I’m afraid I had to bring Xander into line!” Cordelia said grinning.

“Really? – Do tell!” Spike perched against her desk and waited for her to elucidate.
She went over to the photocopier and began to duplicate sheets while telling Spike all the office gossip and stuff that had gone on while he was away.

*******

“Buffy………Buffy, it’s one o’clock, lunch time” Willow gently shook her friend who’d fallen asleep in the armchair. A sea of designer shopping bags and her open luggage surrounded her.

“Wha- oh (she yawned and stretched) Hi Will…golly, is it that time already?”

“Yup…you don’t have to be anywhere, do you?” Willow asked

“No, got a day off!”

“Great, we can catch up, I don’t have any lectures this afternoon!” Willow said grinning, then she added,

“Want lunch – I was going to have a salad”

“Great, I need to cut down, I’ve been stuffing myself silly in New York. Let me go have a shower, and then I’ll tell you all about it!”

***

“………Look Will, real live, well, not live, but REAL Manolo’s!”

“Wow – “ Willow looked at the strappy sandals Buffy was holding up in awe.

“They cost an arm and a leg of course, and then I bought this dress in Prada. I mean, I didn’t think they’d let me through the door! – And um, oh here, this is for you!” Buffy handed Willow a DKNY bag with a dinky little shoulder purse in it in Willow’s favourite pink.

“Oh Buffy –thankyou – it’s lovely! Gods, I can’t use it – what if it gets damaged?”

“Don’t be silly! – Oh, and there’s this – I got one too - I might wear it in bed!” Buffy handed her another bag, and Willow took out an over-size ‘I (heart) NY’ tee shirt.

“There’s a baseball cap around here somewhere too…” Willow dropped her arms from holding up the tee shirt and grinned at her friend.

“So, how was it – you look different somehow”

“Different? How?” Buffy smiled and shook her head.

“I don’t really know…happy – you look really happy – your eyes are shining, and you’re all bubbly and excited – oh! I know! – I know what it is!” Still bemused, Buffy shook her head smiling,

“What, I haven’t cut my hair or anything!” Buffy smoothed her hair

“No. Not your hair. You’re in love!”

“What- no!” Buffy giggled through the word, lowering her gaze

“You are – aren’t you?” Smiling Willow ducked her head to try and look a smiling Buffy in the eyes. She looked up and smiled shyly and said,

“Well, yeah, ok, yes I am – Oh Willow – I had THE most FANTASTIC time of my life!”

She proceed to tell Willow what a brilliant time she’d had, obviously not going into detail on certain aspects of the trip, all about the things she did in the interviews and shows.

When she’d finished Willow got up and said,

“Now to bring you back down to earth with a bump!” She handed Buffy a bundle of letters and bills. Buffy rifled through them and stopped at one in particular, and held it up. She looked at Willow.

“You know who this is from, don’t you?”

“Your dad?” Willow said, biting her bottom lip.

“That’s the bastard” Buffy threw it to one side and began to open the bills.

“Oh, and um…I think your washing machine has had it, it works, just, but it’s making an awfully funny noise”

“Yeah, it was on its way out before I did the song at the Bronze” Buffy looked up from reading the bill.

“Actually, I don’t know if I could bear to part with it really, it was because it had developed a worrying squeak persuaded me to do the talent contest in the first place! I thought if I won the $1000, I could have it repaired. I’ll put it in the garage, and order a new one”

“Just like that!” Willow said, grinning

“Yeah…just like that! – No worries!”

*******

With her face devoid of makeup, and her blonde hair stuffed under a well pulled down baseball cap, and wearing tatty jeans, white tee and a denim jacket, nobody gave the woman a second look as she casually walked down the back alleyway. She stopped, made a very quick call on her cell-phone, and looked up and down the alley. The fire door opposite her opened, and Willy motioned for her to step inside, which she duly did.

“Well – what did this journalist mate of yours get?”

“A name, two addresses, and his birthplace”

“Come on then, hand it over!”

“I think you should be nice to me, if you want this-ah-a-a-a-ahh-h-h-h-OW!”

“Just GIVE IT, you little weasel!”

“Ow!” Willy frowned rubbed his throat and passed over the slip of paper to her.

“A frat house – and an Army Cadet Training Centre… …you said an address!” The blonde looked annoyed with the hapless barman. This time it was Willy’s turn to get indignant, and he bickered back,

“Listen, you do your own footslog – it’s not like you’re payin’ for any of this!”

“I’ll buy you a drink sometime – and remember, don’t go shooting your mouth off about this…I’m arranging a little surprise!”
The blonde said over her shoulder as she pocketed the piece of paper and pulled open the fire door and left.

Willy slammed the fire door shut mumbling to himself how she thought she was SO funny, buy him a drink indeed………

***************

Anya was almost annoyed at the lack of attention that Xander was giving her. He used to follow her around like a little lap dog with his tongue hanging out for her, hanging on her every word – and now, well, he didn’t even bother to look up from his computer monitor when he spoke to her.

It wasn’t that she fancied him or anything…she liked him enough, but well…she supposed it was an ego thing…since she split with Sven, there had been a distinct lack of action as regards men and her, and she was starting to feel it. She liked the company of men better than women, and most of all, she liked sex. And of late- well she’d had neither. She’d phoned Rupert Giles and arranged a lunch-date with him as she’d always been able to talk to him, she’d get a decent lunch, and commiserate with him over Jenny’s faux pas………


**********

“Where is she?” Sweet asked Lorne.

“In the garden, I was just going to call her in for morning coffee”

“Ok. She’s got to see the doctor again…although I’m not sure those tablets they’ve got her on are helping her much. She seems…Zombified”

“Well Daddy, you can ask him when he comes after lunch this afternoon. Maybe he can change them or something. There’s got to be more than one type of medication she can take” Lorne said.

“Yes. Ah, this will be my call from Switzerland, get the accountant on the phone for me please, I need to know exactly how much I can transfer to my accounts in Geneva and Zurich”

“Consider it done” Lorne said and left Sweet’s office.

********

“………You’re kidding, what, voluntarily – I don’t believe it!” Spike said incredulously

Cordelia nodded

“Honestly. When it was put to them what you said about if he was convicted if that photographer died, he knew he’s be looking at a mandatory 15 years minimum. Luckily for him, the guy came round Monday evening, and it looks like there will be no permanent damage, but he will still be charged with assault. As he’s in rehab of his own accord, his lawyer says that will count to the good of his case”

“And Animal?”

“Ah…if he gives up the name of his supplier, then they might go a little more leniently on him. The amount he was found in possession of was classed as for personal use, so the pushing charge has been dropped, so if he’s lucky, he could just end up with a fine, as long as he goes to rehab too”

“Well, he isn’t going to give up Sweet is he? – Oh, let him sort it out, no doubt if Sweet throws enough money at the problem it’ll ‘go away’ so to speak. Let’s see if we can get Rack to go rehab too, get three for the price of two!” Spike said grinning, and Cordelia laughed.

There was a knock at the office door and Glory walked in without waiting for an answer.

“Do you keep phone-books for different states?” She walked up to Cordelia’s desk.

“Uh huh, where do you want?”

“Iowa” Cordelia went over to the filing cabinets and found the appropriate book and gave it to Glory, who took it without a thankyou and left.

“Wonder what’s in Iowa?” Cordelia mused

“Who cares…so did Sweet sign those shopping receipts alright did he?” Spike asked

“Yup…he didn’t bat an eyelid. He never does with yours”

“Good. Did you get yourself something?”

“Nice little Chanel jacket, thankyou!” Cordelia said grinning, and Spike smiled.

“So, how did the trip go?”

“Fantastic – got a lot of work done!”

“I’m not on about work!”

“That’s ALL I’m telling you!”

“Spoilsport!”

“That’s me! – So where’s Xander?”

“Um…not sure, he was sorting out Caleb’s tour dates, I think”

“How are things between him and Harm?”

“Ah, the ‘secret’ relationship!” Cordy said, grinning. Spike also smiled

“Well, she’s stuck to him like a limpet every opportunity she gets, when she thinks no-ones looking that is, and they are totally nauseating when they rub noses and coo at each other…she calls him Pookie, and he calls her Poppet. I was half tempted to pinch the window cleaner’s bucket yesterday and dump the contents over them!”

“Ah, don’t be cruel…” Spike laughed.

“Anyway, if there is anything you want doing today, can I please have it by lunchtime, I’m going early”

“Oh – don’t tell me you actually have a life beyond these walls!” Spike quipped

“Funnily enough, I was only thinking that the other day. I reckon I’ve more than earned that Chanel jacket in unpaid overtime anyway! Yes, the said jacket is going to get an outing…I have a date!”

“With whom?”

“Mind it!”

“Come on, spill!”

“Shan’t, won’t, will not! – My lips are sealed!”

“Where’s that expenses form you forged my signature on?” Spike asked with a grin.

“Wes Price! You rat-bag! PLEASE keep it to yourself!”

“Darling, my middle name is discretion! And here…these are for you, coz I know you broke your last pair” Spike put a small packet with Dolce and Gabbana written on the front, on her desk.

She frown/smiled opened it and took out a pair of sunglasses, the type of which she had broken a month previously.

“What’s this? - Oh Spike! Thankyou! – Come here, you are a Sweetie” She gave him a light kiss on the cheek.

“You’re welcome pet. Now…I bet I’ve got a ton of emails to sift through!”

“Oh, I’ve put a Spam blocker on your account, and sifted out the rubbish, I haven’t opened anything personal, just left you the important and private ones”

“Aren’t you the bestest! Thanks!”

“Thankyou!” She waved the glasses at him and they both began to get on with some work.

*********

“Is Rupert there please…………Jenny Callender………yes, I’ll hold…………………He’s not? Oh. I don’t suppose you could tell me when he’s - no, okay then, thankyou, bye”
Jenny held the receiver to her chest, ended the phonecall with her fingers on the cut-off digits, and when she got the dialling tone again, she dialled Anyanka’s mobile.

The Four Seasons was closed, but Anya and Rupert had enjoyed a sumptuous lunch of grilled lobster and Champagne. They’d both heard the phone ring at the bookings counter, and the waitress blatantly lie about the boss not being in.

Grinning, Rupert sipped his Champagne and said to his lunch companion,

“You know who that’ll be calling, don’t you – I’ve instructed all my staff to say I’m not in – I can’t speak to her I just wish she’d take the hint!”

Not five seconds later, Anya’s cell phone rang, flashing up the name ‘Jenny C’.
“Oh, guess who this is? – I shan’t answer, I’ll let the message desk take it – anyway, sorry, do go on, Mick Jagger said what to you?”

Rupert finished his anecdote, and they both finished their drinks.

“Coffee?” he enquired

“Is it of the ‘Blended Gold’ type? Anya asked wickedly, grinning.

“Hey! That was years ago, nothing wrong in doing the odd commercial!”

“No Sweetie, I Know, in fact must run, I’m doing a commercial this afternoon for Steinbeck piano’s, it’s for the foreign market, and pays quite nicely, thankyou very much!”

Rupert stood up, and ever the gentleman he helped her on with her jacket. She turned to say goodbye, and suddenly found herself being kissed quite passionately. Slightly taken aback at first, she stood quite stiffly, but quickly yielded to his embrace and found herself totally enjoying it. She blinked open her eyes and thought, ‘wow, no wonder Jenny’s desperate to get back with him’.

“Anya…gods, do you know how long I’ve wanted to do that?”

“Huh? Erm…oh gosh, I er…”

“Meet me, tonight, please? Come for a drink upstairs at the cocktail bar – ring if you’ll be coming after hours” Rupert was rubbing her arm gently up and down, looking at her so earnestly.

“Er, Um…y-yeah – yes, yes, I’d love to!” They both smiled and the slight awkwardness had gone, especially when Anya launched herself at him for another toe curler of a kiss.

“Tonight, around nine-ish, I’ll ring if I’m going to be late…got to go, bye!”

Anya left on quite shaky legs. She got into her waiting car and told her driver where she wanted to go next. She looked up at the restaurant window, and Rupert raised his hand in a wave, she did the same. They both knew that a line had been crossed, and they’d moved on from being just friends to, well what exactly? A million other thoughts ran through her head, not least of which how would she break this to her friend Jenny?
chapter 18 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 18

“I know it’s a lot of work babe, but I promise you can have Saturday and Sunday off.
Except, I want to take you out Saturday, somewhere special” Spike added with a grin.

He cuddled her to him. Buffy wriggled closer to him sitting on his lap, and leant her head against his.

“Really, where?”

“Where would you like to go?”

“Um…anywhere?”

“Anywhere your little heart desires, kitten” Buffy began to think…

“Ooh, I know! Oh…you probably couldn’t get a table at such short notice…we tried once, as a treat for mom, but they said they were booked up for three months in advance………”

“Where was that then pet?”

“The Four Seasons”

“Really? You want to go there – okay then, just leave it to me – and afterwards, I shall take you to a quiet little club I know, very small, very exclusive, how about that?”

“Great! You can get a table, just like that? – Colour me impressed – but then you’re so clever, I should have known you’d know what to do! I can’t wait! – I shall wear my Prada and Manolo’s!” Spike grinned and he gave her a light kiss.

Buffy reached for her itinerary and began to study it. From the Tuesday, she’d got an intensive four-day tour of interviews and appearances in mostly, Northern California. San Francisco, Oakland and Sacramento, and a stop off in Bakersfield on the way home.

“Golly, SIX interviews on Tuesday! – That’s a busy day!”

“Two are for radio pet, you can actually do the one in the car while you’re been driven to San Francisco, and the other you can do at the hotel. I know it’s a lot baby, I did warn you – oh and another thing, the hotel in Sacramento on Thursday, they will ask you to sign things for what you’ve had, and they’ll give you receipts, which is quite alright, you can have whatever you want, we just need them to claim back expenses”

Buffy nodded and put the list down and resumed cuddling him.

“I know, I don’t mind the work, I’ll hate it that you’re not with me though!”

“Me too babe, but I’ve got so much to do here. I can assure you, I’d MUCH rather be with you too!”

“I won’t know anybody there, will I?”

“Um, actually, Cordelia will travel with you there and back, she’s going to see her sister, and um…yeah, that big show, Entertainment USA – Andy and Larry will be there”

“Oh, I like them they’re so funny – they bicker like an old married couple!” Spike frown/smiled

“Yes…well, I suppose they are harmless enough!”

“But we’ll have a nice weekend to look forward to!”

“That we will pet, that we will!”

************


“Hello?”

“Hello”

“Is that… Oh er, hold on, is that um Mr Brad Fin? I wonder if you could help me, have you got a son called Riley, in the- hello, hello?”

“Sorry, I don’t have children, goodbye”

Undeterred, Glory pressed the cut-off digits and got the dialling tone again, and dialled the umpteenth time, she had 27 other phone numbers left to do spelt Fin, 76 spelt Finn, and 35 spelt Fynn to get through yet. It was going to be a l-o-n-g day………

*********

“Well, the doctor said these should be an improvement. I told him the last lot made her seem like a zombie,” Lorne said to Cecily, as he put Dru’s medication away in the cabinet.

“Where is she now?”

“In the garden, she loves it out there, that and the Gazebo, she said, ‘she feels at one with nature’”

“Really? Oh well, whatever floats her boat – I was getting very worried about her, she definitely isn’t the old Dru we used to know and love. Has she had this new stuff yet?”

“Yes, she had her first dose while the doctor was here, and she has to take another before bedtime”

“You know, you should have warned me that you were bringing her back her to be with you and Daddy, I got worried when I got home and found she’d gone”

“Didn’t think you’d notice darling, I thought you’d be either off your face, or fucking the living daylights out of somebody”

Cecily gave Lorne a ‘look’, but she didn’t say anything, as he was right. But, she HAD noticed Dru had gone after her guests had left.

“Lorne…Lorney………come play with me in the gar- CECILY!”

Cecily went over to a bright, wide-eyed grinning Dru, and gave her a hug, then smoothed back her loose flowing hair from her face.

“Hello love, you look better”

“Come with me, come and look at this!” Like a child, Dru grabbed Cecily’s hand and began to pull her through the patio doors. Cecily turned to face Lorne, and said,

“Oh, erm okay, I, oh – tell Daddy I’m here please – okay Dru, I’m coming, no need to pull my arm off!”

“Look, LOOK!” Dru pointed excitedly into a dense bush. Cecily wasn’t sure she wanted to look; hoping whatever it was, wasn’t yucky.

“What am I supposed to be-”?

“There, look, but shush, else you’ll frighten them!”

Cecily peered into the bush again, and saw for the first time a nest, with two birds in it. Her shoulders relaxed and she let out the breath she’d been holding, and smiled.

“Yes, but we mustn’t disturb them, they’re asleep” Cecily let the bush gently spring back into shape, and then turned to see Dru taking off her shoes and begin to run around the garden with her arms outstretched, laughing and happy.

“Free! I’m free as a bird!” She ran past the sprinkler that suddenly sprang to life and began to do its job, making Dru shriek and laugh, and dance in the spray. Cecily looked up to the house to see Daddy watching them from his office, and she waved. He waved back, and Cecily called to Dru that she was going back indoors. Not that Dru took any notice, she was too busy stripping off and having fun, dancing around in the spray.

“She looks a lot brighter, what did he give her?” Cecily asked Daddy.

“Some new stuff, don’t know what it’s called – she seems more like her old self”

“That all, she hasn’t, you know, had anything else?”

“Not to my knowledge”

“Must be good stuff, I might try some myself!”

“Want a ‘livener’, baby?” Daddy asked

“Could do with something – what have-“

“Here, don’t ask, just take, not too much though, this is virgin pure”

“WOW! What is it?”

“Just inhale, go on…there, what do you think?”

Cecily’s eyes glazed over and she felt lost to the euphoria. Daddy’s leering face swam in and out of focus, and Cecily felt higher than she’d ever felt in a long time………

**********

“So, p-l-e-a-s-e tell me Pookie, I can’t wait any longer!” Harmony skipped along next to Xander as he walked down the corridor.

“Wait until we get into the office!” Xander laughed

“Ok, NOW tell me!” Harmony stood with her back to the door she’d just slammed shut, and Xander went and sat down behind his desk.

“Ready for this?” he asked, grinning

“Yes! Come ON, tell me!”

“Australia!” Xander said with a grin

Harmony’s face fell, as she repeated his one word.

“Australia?”

“Uh huh, did you know, per capita, they buy more records of yours than anywhere else in the world? Outside great Britain, that is” Harmony went over to Xander’s desk and pulled up a chair.

“But, well, Australia! I thought you were going to say London – or, or Paris, or Rome!” She didn’t even bother to hide her disappointment.

“It’s a fantastic country, Harm – so beautiful!”

“I know, but…” she sighed, and looked down at her knees and said in a little voice,

“It’s so far away”

“You’ll be there for two weeks, starting off in South West Australia, Perth to be exact, then you follow the Southern coast around to Adelaide, the Melbourne, then up towards the Eastern coast to Sydney, then finally Brisbane”

“Two weeks to do five dates! No way!”

“Ok then, we could probably cut it down to ten days, but you’ll be very tired, it’s not like the venue’s are close, Oz is a vast country”

“I know, I have been there before, on holiday, but I was in the Northern Territories. Just do it, make it ten days, I’ll cope. When do I go?”

“Oh, not until after Christmas, well, end of January really”

Harmony brightened a little, it was still months away.

“But I wanted a change of image before that!”

“But Poppet, think about it, we already have your Christmas single done, and if we change your image now, and then you revert back to the ‘teeny bop’ you for Christmas, then nobody will take your transformation seriously”

Harmony looked at him. It DID make sense what he was saying, and she did SO want to be taken seriously with this total re-invention of herself………

“Besides which, Xander continued, Anya and Buffy are doing European tours after Christmas, and all being well, if we are, you know, still…well, perhaps I might just come with you” Harmony really did brighten at this news.

“Really? Oh Pookie! That would be fantastic!” she jumped up and ran around the desk and sat on his lap and began to kiss his face all over.

Cordelia walked into the office, rolled her eyes, and just stopped short of making an ‘ugh’ face.

“Oh, um, I er, I was just getting something out of my Pookie’s, I-I-I m-mean his e-e-eye, his eye, yes!” Harmony had jumped up off Xander’s lap like a scalded cat, having gone beet red, she flashed Xander a worried look. Cordelia breezed past her and handed Xander several envelopes.

“I see, I’ll have to remember that one, you kiss all over the face do you? – Personally, I find the corner of a clean hankie works better myself! Harmony, don’t worry, your secret is safe with me, besides which, you two are already the talk of the typing pool” Cordelia said with a grin

“Are we? – I mean, we are - why?”

“Do you think I listen to gossip; anyway, there are some important tour date confirmations for Caleb in there Xander, and an invitation. See you”

“Invitation eh…hmm, wonder what too?”

“Surprise Party for Sweet eh? Great, want to come with me Poppet?”

“I should think I’ve already be invited, but yes, we can go together – where is it – at his house? – I’ve never been to his house!”

“No, it’s got to be a surprise remember………oh, very swanky, it’s at that floating gin-palace moored off Long beach, The Ship-Ashore”

“Oh. Will I get sea-sick?” They both frowned

“I hope not…I’m not too good on the water either…”

**********

Buffy had her front door opened as soon as Spike had pulled up on the drive. He got out of the car and was straight in her arms, kissing her. Without breaking the kiss, Buffy closed the front door behind them and Spike pressed her against it, kisses getting more urgent.

“Hmm, god, I missed you SO much today!” Spike whispered, kissing her neck and making her shiver with delight.

“Me too, oh…hmm” Suddenly a thought hit Spike

“Um where’s er, Willow?”

Buffy pulled him towards her again, and Spike just caught her mumbling the word ‘out’.

There would have been no prizes for guessing where they went, as a trail of discarded clothes led upstairs………

They hit the bed naked, kissing and fondling, they had both been on edge all day, waiting for this moment, the sheer anticipation was foreplay enough and Buffy felt bold enough to roll them over so she was on top. Leaning on her one knee, she rose up and put him at her opening, she sank down, her breath escaping in little gasps. Spike groaned, catching hold of her hips, easing her down on him gently. Leaning forward, she held the top of the wrought iron bed head with her one hand, and using it for leverage she began to raise and lower herself on him. Her head rolled back – oh god it felt good, good, and SO good………

She felt Spike’s hands leave her hips, skim up her body and then he began to massage her bouncing breasts, thumbing her already hard nipples. She ground down hard, making them both groan with pure pleasure. Spike sat up, and Buffy shifted her legs around tighten around his back. In this position Spike was able to nuzzle her breasts, suck her nipples and kiss her sensuous mouth.
She tore her mouth away to cry out her orgasm, her tight wet clench of her vaginal muscles had Spike frantic for his own release, Buffy let her head drop to his shoulder, and she began to bite/suck a hickey on the side of his neck. Spike cried out and bucked up hard, pulling her down on him at the same time, she felt him swell and he hosed what seemed like a gallon of his essence into her, causing Buffy to climax again. Slowly, he lay back down, bringing Buffy with him, both breathing hard.
Buffy carefully disengaged herself from him, cleaned up with some tissues and then snuggled up with his arm around her. She kissed him softly.

“Been thinking of you all day” She drew patterns on his chest with her finger.

“Well, that’s good, because I couldn’t stop thinking about you either…I nearly dropped by lunchtime” he kissed her forehead.

“I fell asleep in the chair! Willow woke me up when she came home at one” Spike yawned

“Sorry pet”

“It’s ok, I can’t keep awake either, and poor baby, you’ve been to work all day! Was there lots to do this morning?”

“Wasn’t too bad, Cordelia’s very good”

“Was she happy with the sunglasses you bought her?”

“Uh huh”

“Good. Are you hungry?”

“Starving” Buffy made to get up, But Spike held her.

“Don’t go, warm, comfy, soft, you smell delicious and I don’t want you to move – I love these cuddles!” Spike said. He had his eyes closed and was smiling. Buffy giggled and snuggled up even more.

“Hmm, my pleasure…” She gave him a soft kiss, and settled back into his arms, her head on his shoulder, she slipped her arm around him. They both fell asleep.

Willow came in an hour and a half later. The first thing she saw when she opened the front door was the trail of discarded clothes leading up the stairs, and she grinned. She couldn’t hear anything, so she thought that exhaustion must have set in! She debated what to do, whether to pick up the clothes, or to just leave them. She was thirsty, so she went into the kitchen to make herself some tea. The kettle was just coming to the boil, when Buffy padded into the kitchen wearing a silky robe.

Hi, I’m making some tea, do you want some?”

“Not for me thanks”

“What about Spike?”

“How did you…” Buffy went red, but she was smiling.

“Um…the clothes trail…” Willow said with a grin.

Buffy was just relieved that Willow hadn’t heard them. As if reading her thoughts, Willow said

“Don’t mind me, I’ve got some revising to do, with my headphones on, so you can make as much noise as- um” It was Willow’s turn to go red, and they both giggled. She said goodnight to her friend and went to go upstairs. In the lounge, she saw Spike, he had his jeans on, and was just about to put his shirt on. Willow clocked the firm pecs, the well-defined biceps, the six-pack abs…and she thought what a LUCKY girl Buffy was!

“Hello and goodbye Spike, please excuse me, I’ve got an exam and I need to revise, ‘night!”

“Oh, Hi Willow – I see, well, um, you know, good luck!”

Buffy came into the lounge, and handed Spike a glass of juice.

“I need to go shopping – I’ve no food in the house!”

“You do? Well, come on then, lets go, we can pick up something to eat too”

“Sure you don’t mind?”

“No, you go get dressed – I could do with one or two bits and pieces too” Buffy finished her juice and went to get dressed.
chapter 19 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 19

“Anya, you made it!” Giles stood from the barstool, kissed her cheek and took her coat and went and put it behind the bar. Anya drew up a stool and studied the cocktail list.

Giles came back.

“What can I get you – this is a rather good Chardonnay, or would you prefer a cocktail?”

“I want…something long, cool, fruity, yet strong!” She helped herself to some peanuts.

“Right, Anton…Get the lady something long, cool, fruity and strong, please”

The barman smiled and nodded, grabbed a cold frosted glass and began to pour in shots of Bacardi, golden and dark rums, and tropical juices of passion fruit, mango and lime, he shook it altogether over a tower of ice-cubes, and garnished the glass with slices of fruit, cherries, a paper umbrella and a couple of straws. He placed the drink on a mat in front the beautiful blonde lady.

“There you go madam, a Winds’ Barman’s Special, enjoy” Anya leant forward and caught the straws in her mouth and sucked. Giles watched her, smiling

“Any good?”

“Oh! That is gorgeous!” Again she took another long suck at the straws, so the drink was now half empty!

Giles re-filled his glass with the cold white wine.

“Sir…Sir…” Giles turned to the waitress.

“Polly, what can I do for you?”

“A Miss Jenny Calendar wants to come in, here, upstairs”

“Tell her I’m not here”

“I did sir”

“Okay…Anya, bring your drink, and come with me. Let Miss Calendar in when someone leaves”

“Yes sir”

“Um, can I get another one of these before we go?” Anya held up her now practically empty glass.

“Sure, Anton please –“ Giles pointed to Anya, and the barman nodded and set about mixing another special.

“This is cosy…and you can see out over the restaurant!” Giles led Anya into a small room come office, with a computer on a desk, a safe, a portable TV screen and a sofa and coffee table

“They can’t see me though, special glass”

There was a knock at the door, and a waitress handed Giles another drink for Anya.

“Jenny’s not going to give up, is she?”

“She will by Thursday, well, Wednesday night really, she goes to London to cover the European Book Review Awards” Anya said, accepting the drink off Giles. She kicked off her shoes and drew up her legs, getting comfy.

************

After what seemed like a million phone calls, Glory dialled the next number. She’d actually reached the name spelt with the double ‘N’ as opposed to one. She was on the ‘Z. Finn’s now.

“Hello, Zebadiah Finn?”

“Speaking, who is this, please?”

“You wouldn’t now me, and I need your help. Do you know a guy called Riley Finn? – He’d be 23, and in the army?”

“As a matter of fact, yes. Yes I do, he’s my grandson” Glory’s eyes brightened

“Really? – Um, he went to school in Sunnydale, California – dated a girl called Buffy Summers?”

“Well, I know he went to school in Sunnydale, but the young lady - I don’t know anything about that, but I have a grandson called Riley who is in the Army. Would you please tell me who you are?”

“Me? Oh, um…my name is um, Susan. Susan, er, S-S-Smith. Riley wouldn’t remember me, but I um, I used to be in the same frat house – my brother I mean, was in the same frat house as him in Sunnydale, and I’m arranging a surprise party – and he’s ALWAYS talking about Riley. Riley this, Riley that, and I’d just LOVE to invite him to this party.”

“I see, well I could give you a contact number for him”

“You could? Oh that would be wonderful, thankyou!”

“Okay then dear have you got a pen?”

“Course I’ve got a blo-um, yes, I’m ready………I see, right, thankyou! Oh, could you tell me where he is at the moment, he’s not posted abroad, is he?”

“He’s just finished a tour of duty, helping the Peace Corps, I’m sure he’s home for another month at least”

“Great, well thanks, goodbye now!”

Glory put the phone down grinning to herself………

***********

Buffy divided a bag of washed salad leaves between two plates, and added cherry tomatoes, slices of cucumber and some green onions. Spike roughly pulled apart the still warm, roasted seasoned chicken they’d bought at the supermarket and piled up the portions in a dish. He washed his hands again and cut and buttered bread rolls.
Buffy opened a bottle of cold white wine and poured two glassfuls, they opted to sit at the breakfast bar to eat.

“Hmm, this is good, all I’ve had all day is a banana at about 11 o’clock this morning!
They chatted easily, Spike telling her all the office gossip.

“………So sweet’s given Glory the go-ahead, and she can do her show ‘live’ rather than recording it, she thinks it will give it more of an ‘edge’.”

“She’s a total bitch that woman, I can’t wait to go on her show…I am due to go on it, aren’t I?” Buffy asked, before biting into a chicken drumstick.

“Really? - Yes, well, I suppose so. Be careful though pet, she’s a tricky one; never know what she’s up to, and I wouldn’t put anything passed her, she’s treacherous” Spike warned, then he smiled and said,

“Xander drove Cordy to distraction the night after that going to the line-dancing thing with Caleb, so she tells me!”

“Really? – I can imagine…still, you can’t say he lacks any enthusiasm for his job!”

Spike’s phone beeped, and he looked at the text.

“Oh brilliant! This trip of yours, the man I wanted to take you, he’s just confirmed, chap called Clem will be your minder/driver. He’s a really lovely bloke, very quiet, and genuine. He had some problems with his face when he was a kid, a disfigurement, but he had to have loads of operations, but he’s fine now, just a couple of scars – but he’s happy-go-lucky, and I’d trust him with my life, so that’s why I wanted him for you – I know he’ll look after you for me”
Buffy gave Spike a sexy smile, her eyes flashing; she’d thank him properly later.

“Ah, thanks, baby.”

“Oh, and another thing, here’s yours, but I thought we could go together if you like” Spike slid an envelope across the counter to her. She opened it and read,

“Invitation to a surprise 50th birthday party for Sweet…where is, oh – the Ship-Ashore – I’ve read about that place! Fifty eh?” She slipped the card back inside the envelope.

“I know, I think it’ll be a surprise even to him, being fifty, he’s pushing fifty-six at the very least!” Spike yawned, and apologised.

“Sorry nothing, baby! I keep falling asleep if I stop long enough, and you’ve been to work all day!”

They finished up their food and took the rest of the wine into the lounge and sat cuddled up on the sofa.

“Sure you don’t mind me staying baby?”

“Course I don’t mind! – It’ll be lovely to wake up with you” Spike leaned down and nibbled her ear, making Buffy hunch up her shoulder, giggling.

“Shall I put this in the fridge, and we go on up?” Buffy held the half bottle of wine.

“Great idea!”

***

“I don’t feel so tired now!” Spike said, having dashed upstairs, got undressed and got into bed, with Buffy close on his heels.

“Me neither!”

“So………you would have no objections, if I were to do this…………”

“Ooooohhhhh – no, no ob-jections – oh god, no, none at all – again!” Spike roved between her breasts, kissing and sucking her nipples, nibbling her neck, whispering sexy things in her ear, getting Buffy hot and needy. He teased her with little pecking open-mouthed kisses, until she held the back of his head to her and plundered his mouth with her tongue. Fluttering her fingers down his back, lightly raking her nails against his firm corded muscles, she then slipped her hand around the front of him and began to cup and fondle his balls in their heavy sac, making Spike buck towards her hand catching a breath. Slowly sliding her hand up and down his solid shaft, she shifted her leg so Spike could slip between them easily.

“Not being too much for you, am I baby?” Spike breathed in her ear. Buffy arched her back and held him to her, her hips rocking, desperately wanting him inside her.

“Gods no, I want you so much, please baby, plea----ooooohhhhh!”

Needing no further encouragement, Spike pushed up gently inside her – tight, wet, glorious, he’d never tire of this, he knew. It was like she was made for him. Slow languid movements soon gave way to a more frantic coupling, and the sensations built to a terrific climax for them both, gasping and crying out their joy. They made love until exhaustion eventually set in, and then they slept peacefully.

**********


“Oh gods…I’m so sorry Anya…this has, well, it’s never happened to me before! I was fine with J…”

He just stopped himself short of saying Jenny. He didn’t need to make Anya feel worse than he did already.

“God! I’m so embarrassed!” Giles was sitting on the side of the bed, his head in his hands. Anya lay in bed, naked, disappointed and frustrated.

“Well, don’t worry, I understand…it happens to all men sometimes – or so I’ve read”
**Not to men with me though** Anya thought bitterly. And to be fair, she’d tried everything, kisses, massaging, fondling, sucking…all to no avail. She wanted to suggest that there was a myriad of things he could do to her, and it might get him in the mood, but he seemed resigned to be in the ‘total failure’ mode, an nothing was going to alter that. Where was the Viagra when you needed it?

She ran her hand down his back, in what she hoped was a re-assuring manner, and said,

“Maybe you’re just tired, or it could be too much wine –or - ”
Giles stood up, took his robe from the back of the door and slipped it on, and stood briefly in the doorway,

“Sorry – I………sorry” he left the room.

He couldn’t bear to be touched, or even looked at, at the moment. Anya shifted onto her back and stared at the ceiling and sighed.
**So much for Jenny’s rampant stud**

She could hear the shower begin to run in the bathroom, and she frowned. Maybe she was wrong, but it felt like he was trying to wash away the memory of what had, or rather had not happened, like it was dirty or something. There was nothing else for it, she flung back the bedclothes, got dressed as quickly as she could, and left. Giles heard her car pull away just as he’d switched the shower off, and he leaned against the bathroom wall, dripping, thankful she’d gone and he didn’t have to face her or her anger or pity at his impotence………

**********

Dru practically pounced on Sweet’s desk, she’d been ‘playing’ in the garden, she was naked and still slightly wet from the lawn sprinklers
“Can we go out, Daddy? I want to go out! Can we huh - please?” Dru asked, wild eyed and grinning.

“Well! You’ve certainly changed your tune young lady - I will say that!” Sweet looked up from reading investment documents.

“Course we can go out, and where would my little princess like to go, hmm?”
Dru held out her arms and began to sway and waltz around the room.

“Dancing! I want to go dancing! And play! I want to play games and have fun!”

“Sounds good to me!” Cecily said entering the office, sipping from a very large vodka and tonic, with ice and lemon. Dru took it off her, waltzing around, spilling a little, before she stopped and downed the lot, handing a grinning Cecily back the now empty glass.

“So, where do you want to go?”

“The Hacienda!” Dru said

“Um, you’ll have a job pet, it burned down two years ago. How about the Basement…or George’s Number 8?”

“Okay!” Dru agreed, without having ever been to either club.

“Actually…I was thinking of buying the old Hacienda site, and rebuilding it…” Sweet said

“And I could work there!” Dru said, suddenly looking more lucid and alert than ever. Everyone smiled

“If you want, Princess, but why do you want to work?” Sweet asked, as if indulging a little child

“For money!”

“My Princess, you can have whatever you want, Daddy will buy it for you, you know that!” Dru smiled and went and hugged him.

“Thankyou Daddy!”

“That’s alright my Princess…tell you what, how about my two best girls go out and buy something pretty to wear for tonight, hmm?” Dru clapped her hands with excitement.

“Great! Come on then Dru, um, but first pet, we better get you something to put on, you can’t go like that, all naked can you!” Cecily said smiling.

Dru followed her out of the office and they went upstairs to see what they could find for her to put on.

*********

“Hey, sleepyhead, wake up!” Spike bent over and kissed her lightly.

“Hmm? Oh – I – morning baby!” Buffy yawned and stretched, and noticed Spike was up, dressed, washed and all minty fresh.

“Cup of tea for you Kitten, I must shoot off, there is some stuff I need from home before I go into the studios, and I want to change too, no need to set the gossip-mongers tongues wagging, is there? – I can be back by 8.45 to pick you up, if you like?”
Buffy sat up.

“Would you? That would be great…hmm, (she sipped her tea) this is just how I like it, not too strong, not too milky, no sugar, perfect!”

“Good, okay then pet, see you in an hour” He kissed her again and left. Buffy cupped the tea-mug in her hands and smiled to herself. She heard the front door shut, and his car drive off. There was a soft knock on her door, and she called for Willow to ‘come-in’.

Willow was also up, washed and dressed.

“Hi!”

“Hi, listen, tonight, I was going to ask Oz round, would that be alright, I don’t want to cramp your style if you and Spike were, well, you know, planned on staying in or anything?”

“No, course not! Ask him over”

“You sure?”

“Positive, There’s a ‘thing’ tonight, rehearsing for a charity Christmas record, doubt if we’ll be home this side of midnight” Buffy sipped her tea.

Willow smiled and said,

“Great. So…he makes nice tea!”

“He make you some too?” Buffy asked grinning

“I was half asleep when I padded into the kitchen in my PJ’s and robe, then I see him making tea and he asked if I wanted some!”

“We um…we didn’t, well did we make a – did we disturb you, at all?” Buffy felt a little embarrassed asking, but she’d rather know.

“No! Told you, I always fall asleep with my headphones on now, it is supposed to help you learn while you sleep!”

“Learn what? – Song words?”

“No, uses and comparisons of High Level computer languages, for example, Algol, Cobol, Fortran – and their uses in efficient object programming to debug – sorry! Don’t want to bore you!“ Willow stopped as she could see Buffy’s eyes start to glaze over.

“Was any of that in English – coz I didn’t understand a word of what you just said!” Buffy smiled at her friend.

**********

“Pookie!”

“Hmm?”

“You know this party”

“What party, Poppet?” Xander looked up from reading an info sheet on Caleb’s first concert venue.

“Sweet’s surprise birthday one”

“Oh that, yeah, um, shush baby, you never know who’s listening…come and sit on my lap and whisper” Grinning, Xander patted his thighs.

“Ok………Right, I -!” Harmony began, until Xander stayed her with a hand on her thighs.

“Oooh, don’t wriggle Poppet…it um, well that’s better...go on, what about this part-oh! Excuse me! Don’t you EVER knock?” Xander glared at the blonde.

Glory had barged into the office without the customary politeness, again.

“Oh DO get over yourselves, like I’D be interested in a no-hoper like you, and his animated Barbie doll. Where’s Cordelia?”

“How the hell should I know, have you tried looking in her office – and how dare you call - Glory – come back here………I said, Come – “

“Leave it Pookie, she isn’t worth it” Harmony said, placating him. She hadn’t moved off his lap this time.

“She’s an ignorant bitch – I HATE that woman. I wish somebody would bring her down a peg or two!”

“Her time will come, I’m sure”

“How dare she call you-“ Harmony put a finger over his lips, and then leant forward and kissed him.

“Don’t let it bother you Pookie, she’ll do it all the more”

Xander looked at Harmony and smiled

“Yeah, you’re right. So Poppet, what were you going to say about the party?”…………………………

*****************

“Can I leave you to get that Buffy, I’m out the door - bye!” Willow shouted, and she heard Buffy call back ‘Yes’, and then she answered the phone.

“Hello………hello, hello – is there anybody there? Hello – oh-“

“Buffy! Don’t hang up, please” Buffy’s eyes widened with shock, and she caught a swift little breath, and then swallowed.

“What do you want?” She hissed through gritted teeth.

“Come on love, don’t be like that to your old dad”

“What? Like what – what the bloody hell do you expect me to do, huh, jump for joy?”

“I’m sorry love”

“Oh. I see. You’re sorry. Well that makes everything alright then, doesn’t it?”

“Buffy, please love. Let me explain”

“Well go ahead! I’m waiting, explain”

“Not here, not now love, not over the phone. I could come to the house”

“Oh no you couldn’t! Mom didn’t want you here when she was alive, so I certainly don’t want you here now she’s dead. That’s dead, dad. Dead as in gone, not here anymore – not that that bothered you at all!”

“Buffy! It was over love, end of, your mother and I, we were finished. I left so we could stop hurting each other, hurting you with the arguments!”

“So you think you can just swan…” Buffy swallowed rapidly, then bit her bottom lip, the tears threatening to fall, and she didn’t want him to hear her cry.

“Just let us meet somewhere. Let me try and explain”

“NO!”

“Please Buffy! I swear if you’ll just meet me once, let me explain, and if you don’t want to know after that, then, well fair enough. At least we can say we tried”

“No………I don’t know…I………I can’t deal with this, not now!”

“When then? I’m still at Westwood’s, you can contact me there. Please love. When you’re ready, just give me a chance”

“I’ll see – gotta go” Buffy slammed the phone down and stared at it, the tears began to fall unchecked.

Spike pulled up, got out of the car and trotted up to the front door, and opened it, calling out cheerily.

“Hi baby, I came back early – hope you don’t…Buffy – Oh baby, what on earth’s the matter Kitten?” Spike took the stairs two at a time, to where she was sitting at the top. Buffy stood and she felt safe wrapped in his arms. She snuggled up and sniffed.

“My dad phoned…caught me by surprise”

“Oh love………come on kitten, don’t upset yourself. Do you want me get your number changed, hmm?” His lips brushed her forehead and he gave her a little squeeze.

“No…no it’s okay…”

“Did he say something mean to you, baby?”

“No, not really…he just, well, he wants a chance to explain things”

“Don’t let him force you into doing something you don’t want to do, kitten”

“I won’t. I’m just being silly. It just surprised me, hearing him after all this time, that’s all” Spike held her face gently, wiping her tears away.

“You feel up to coming into the studios?”

“Course! I’ll just go wash my face.”

“We’ve got time for breakfast if you want pet”

“Yeah? - Great”

“I’ll go down and start”

“‘Kay”

Spike snatched a quick kiss and Buffy went into the bathroom, while he headed on down to the kitchen.

***

Buffy dusted her fingers of crumbs over her plate and she wiped her mouth on a napkin.

“That was delicious!”

“I used to live on ‘eggy bread’ when I was a student. So babe, are you ready – you’ll meet the rest of Sweet’s ‘stable’ today. Ilyria, Caleb, Anyanka and a few ‘free-lancers’. It should be good”

“Stable – it sounds like we’re race-horses!”

“Just a phrase baby! – Golly, look at the time – we better scoot”

“Well, I’m ready – come on then!”
Chapter 20 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 20


The night out at George’s Number 8 had been a great success. If you didn’t know of Dru’s mental illness, you wouldn’t have thought anything was wrong with her at all. She even danced with a few different guys. Sweet kept an eye on her, and she didn’t take any ‘recreational’ drugs, she didn’t feel the need but she had a few drinks, and was fine. Cecily got rip-roaring drunk, and had also taken two snorts of coke. She was doing more and more drugs lately, finding she needed more just to feel ‘normal’, let alone get a ‘buzz’.

When they got home to Cecily’s house, Dru said she’d stay with her to look after her. Cecily managed to stagger upstairs, and just take off her top and one shoe before collapsing on the bed. Dru finished undressing her, and covered her over. She’d dropped a clip-on earring, and knelt on the floor to look for it under the bed, where she found several long boxes.

Dru pulled one out and began to sort through the contents of letters, bills, concert programmes, tickets and photographs. They were mostly of Cecily from work, ‘glamour’ shots, but there was some from a beach party they’d had about four years ago, and Dru took a swift intake of breath when she pulled out a picture of herself holding hands with Spike, they were both windswept and laughing, dancing on the beach at twilight, with a huge bonfire behind them. Spike had been doing the music and had set up some huge speakers either side of a basic turntable.
Dru remembered this; it all suddenly came flooding back to her like it was yesterday. She even remembered what they’d been dancing to at the time. Spike had put on ‘On the Beach’ by Cliff Richard as a joke.

She stared at the picture for a long time, before quickly sorting through the box to see if she could find any more. She found three, and some others from parties and functions in another box under the bed. Dru sat on the floor looking at them. She hardly recognised herself. She picked out one particularly good black and white ‘arty’ shot of Spike, moody looking, like some Matinee Idol, all square firm jawed and angled cheekbones, it had been taken by a friend of theirs who was training to be a photographer. She couldn’t remember the girl’s name now, and she turned the picture over, hoping there would be something written on the back, but all there was, was a date, 1998. She felt her stomach lurch and she swallowed the lump in her throat. Dru turned the photo back over, and stroked the face, she whispered,
“Spike………what happened to us, we were so happy…”

Cecily coughed, bringing Dru out of her reverie, and she looked at her friend. Then she coughed again, more violently this time, and raised her head and began to wretch.
Dru quickly scrabbled everything up off the floor and moved out of the way before Cecily threw up over the carpet.

“Oh Cec, are you alright?”
On receiving no answer, and as Cecily didn’t move or make to get up, Dru frowned. Putting the photographs carefully on the nightstand, she went and fetched a bowl and cleaning materials and began to clean up.

**********

“Alright, ALRIGHT! I’m coming, jeez, what’s so bloody important!” Quickly securing her robe around her, a tousle-haired Anyanka yanked open her front door.

“Flowers for Miss Anyanka Petersen” The deliveryman pushed an absolutely huge bouquet of cut mixed blooms into her hands and Anya was suddenly blinking and wide-awake. She mumbled thanks and shut the door with her hip, while she searched for the card inside. Placing the bouquet on the side, she fished out the card and opened the sealed envelope and read,

“Dearest Anya, I’m so sorry for my behaviour last night, PLEASE forgive me, don’t let this ruin out friendship, you mean so much to me, love Rupert, XXXXX PTO. Anya turned over the card and read, Dinner, my place tonight, 9.00pm? Please say yes, Let me know.
She smiled, and picked up the bouquet.

“Hmm, cream roses, tiger-lilies in orange and pale pink, blue iris and white peonies…all my favourites…must have cost a fortune…Okie-dokie Rupes, I’ll give you another chance”
After putting the flowers in water, she rang his mobile. When she got the message facility, she realised he’d be rehearsing his show, and she just said,
“Thankyou for the flowers, they’re beautiful, I’ll see you tonight – bye”
As soon as she put the phone down, it rang, making her jump. She smiled, thinking it was Rupert eager and pleased that she’d forgiven him, she picked up and said,

“You know I couldn’t stay mad at you, especially when-“

“Anya?”

“JENNY!”

“Well, Ow…that’s a burst eardrum”

“SORRY! S-sorry, I um…I, well, I thought that you were R-er, I-I mean, um, somebody…somebody else, sorry!”

“Okay, were on the other ear now, don’t shout down this one, please! Listen love, this is my last night in town before I go to Paris, can we meet for supper?”

“Supper, um well, er, no. No, not really – I’m um, well, we’re doing this charity record thingy today you see, and I said I’d go and play the piano, no idea what time we’ll finish” Anya said, crossing her fingers behind her back!

“Oh………no chance of seeing you until I get back then”

“When will that be?”

“Anya, are you okay? You sound…strange – have you got a guy there or something?”

“A guy? No, no! No guy, ha-ha!”

Jenny frowned, then shrugged.

“Thing is, I’ve left my spare contacts in your bathroom, I’ve got one pair, but I’m having to clean them overnight and put them straight back in the morning and the cleaning fluid makes them sting, I really need my other pair. So can you take them with you, and I’ll drop by the studios and pick them up?”

“NO, um, l-look, I tell you what, I’ll have them sent over to you now, just in case things get delayed – you don’t want to be late for your flight, do you?”

“Well no, I do have enough to do – can you bring them over yourself now – we could have coffee”

“Um, sorry I’m…having my hair done, then I’m straight to the studios”

“Hair done? For rehearsals?”

“No, cut and streaked again!”

“But I thought…oh well, never mind, it’ll keep until I get back, I suppose”

“What? What will keep?”

“I tried to see Rupert last night. I went to the Winds bar”

“I know”

“Sorry – how do you know?”

Anya screwed her eyes up and bit her bottom lip at her mistake.

“I d-drove p-passed. Saw you outside”

“Why didn’t you stop?”

“I, I couldn’t, I um, I was a passenger, in a car with s-some agents from Steinbeck’s. I’d been doing a commercial for them all afternoon, we were going for a meal at the Albany, I could hardly shout, Stop, there’s my friend, could I?”

“Okay. Did me no good though. I didn’t see him, he wasn’t there”

“Who?”

“Giles, silly. Although I swear I could smell his Hugo Boss aftershave lingering on the air, I must have just missed him”

“Oh. Oh, um, yeah, you m-must have”

“Have you seen him?”

“Seen him?”

“Seen Rupert Giles, god, what is the matter with you Anya, it’s like pulling teeth trying to get a straight answer out of you today, you’re acting awfully strange!”

“Sorry! Sorry, I just got up. I had a bad night, so I took a pill, I’m still groggy” Anya lied.

“Oh. Well look, don’t forget to send me my contact lenses over will you, and I’ll see you in three weeks time, unless I get a better offer in London”

“Right, yes, I won’t forget. Well good luck, keep in touch won’t you, bye!” Anya practically threw down the phone like it was hot. She hated lying to her friend, but she knew she wouldn’t be able to stop herself blurting out what had, or had not happened between herself and Rupert, wanting forgiveness for jeopardising their friendship for going with Rupert behind Jenny’s back. Except she didn’t, well, she tried, but!

One thing she DID know was, she knew she couldn’t face Jenny right now and see just how upset she’d get if she learned what had really happened…
Anya got her driver to take the contact lenses over to Jenny’s flat. At least she knew that with Jenny out of the country, she’d have three weeks minimum grace to sort this thing out with herself and Rupert either way…

***************

Harmony’s words washed straight over Xander’s head as she led him into her bedroom. Her idea was to show him her party outfits, but she didn’t quite know what to wear. Thing was, all she had on at the moment was a push-up bra and tiny briefs…making all rational thought nigh-on impossible for Xander
He glanced at the bed and had certain ‘painful’ memories come flooding back.

“Sit…okay, I can’t decide whether to wear long or short, or wear trousers…oh god, what if I fall in the water…I better not wear long, it could get caught up I propellers or something, what do you think?”

“Yes!” Xander said, automatically.

“You don’t think I’ll fall in, do you?”

“Hmm? Course!”

“YOU DO – That’s it! I’m not going!”

“What? Why not?”

“Because you just said you thought I’d fall in!”

“No! Don’t be silly! Sorry…Harm, baby, you’re driving me wild!”

“But you said-“
Xander stood up, and went over to her and slipped his arms around her waist, pulling her towards him.

“I won’t let you fall in Poppet!” He towered over her, ready to ‘pounce’ any second. She beamed up at him

“You’ll hold onto me really tight?”

“Real tight, like this” Xander slipped his arms a little tighter around her, and his head dropped to her neck………

“Oh Pookie……………”

**********

“How’s it going, have you contacted him yet?” Glory asked her researcher.

“Not yet, we’ve left two messages on his telephone answering machine, but so far he hasn’t got back to me yet”

“Damn. What sort of message has you left?”

“What sort? What do you mean, what sort? – I told him my name is Cassie Newton, I work for Glory Benson’s cable show, and would he be interested in coming on the show, if so to contact us, and I left a number”

“Well no wonder he hasn’t phoned back! Tell him we’re doing a reunion show, and we want to surprise Buffy – bit like ‘This is Your Life’”

“But they finished, he might not want to know-“

“Oh come on! She wrote a love-song for him, won a competition with it goddamn it! She was pining for him. Still is!”

“You don’t know that! She could have moved on – he could have, or worse, just say SHE has, but HE hasn’t – that would be horrible for-“

“I tell you what might be horrible, my researcher having to look for another job, this side of Christmas! Just DO IT!” Glory hissed. Cassie sighed

“Yes, Glory”

“Good. Promise him anything, I want that guy here. Now, what about her parents?”

“Who, Buffy’s?” Cassie asked

Cassie rolled her eyes and hissed,

“No, bloody Britney Spears! Course Buffy!”

“Her mother is dead, and she said something derogatory about her father in an interview – I don’t think she’s seen him in years”

“Really…where did you read this?” Glory gave a wicked smile.

“Can I get back to you on that? – I need to look it up” Cassie said

“See that you do………we could be having ourselves a nice little reunion party”

Cassie glanced at Glory, but Glory was off on one of her ‘Power Ego Trips’ and
imagining how Buffy would act, knowing it was a ‘live’ show, so she couldn’t flounce out, it would put her in a dreadful light with the general public, and could ruin her career – so she’d have to grin and bear it………that would teach the prissy little madam to keep her smart mouth shut of sarcastic comments, wouldn’t it?”

Cassie began to look up the info Glory wanted via her computer. She knew she didn’t like Glory’s methods, morals or scruples, not one little bit. Unfortunately, Cassie also knew it would be practically impossible for her to find another job with this serious heart complaint she had, and she wouldn’t have a hope in covering it up during a medical if she tried for another job, so it looked like Glory had her over a barrel, and she’d have to comply with her female bosses wishes, but she didn’t have to like it, did she?

**********

Spike sat in the sound booth with Xander, Ford was down with all the artistes in the biggest recording room, number 4.

“Okay people…break over…come on please, lets get on (he clapped his hands to get their attention) now, I want to take it from the top, Ilyria, I want you to sing the lines, ‘free from pain, free from fear, enjoy all that we hold dear, and then Buffy you come in with ‘Gift of freedom. Gift of life, free from pain and free from strife’…”

Everybody stood, putting down paper cups of drink and picking up their song-sheets.
“Okay everyone, ready? Who writes these bloody lyrics, anyway!” Ford got ready to start the music

“Er, that would be you, mate!” One of Gunn’s backing singers said, grinning.

“Alright, don’t rub it in, ready, and a one, two, a one, two three, four…”

Ilyria took up the haunting refrain in less aggressive manner than she usually sang in. Buffy sang out loud and clear, and Ford looked up towards the sound booth

“How was that, Spike?”

Spike pressed the ‘talk’ button, and said,

“Sounded fine to me” although she couldn’t see him Buffy smiled towards the
sound booth.

“Right then, the chorus, we want a Gospel choir thing going on, think………think Madonna’s ‘Like a Prayer’, feel free to do ‘oh yeahs’ and all that, and keep a strict tempo, a one and (clap) and two and (clap) and three (clap) etc, okay, probably be easier if you did clap – we can add it after…so, I’ll get Anya to just play you the basic tune…when you’re ready love”

Anya played it simply, note by note, with Ford singing as an example.

“ Stop the hunger, stop the war, living in fear, will be no more… … …”

“Okay now please people…your turn”

They worked on the song all afternoon and into the early evening, and then people wanted to get off home.

Buffy went up to the sound booth with Harmony.

“So, what did you think?” Buffy asked brightly

“Well, a cheesier song you won’t find, but if it raises a few thousand for the cause then, hey, go cheese!” Spike said and everyone grinned.

“Want to come to Luigi’s for a quick bite – we won’t stay late, there’s something I want to do when I get home, so I don’t want to be back late” Xander said with a smile

Buffy shrugged and looked to Spike for an answer.

“Yeah ok, great” he said nodding

“What’s that then, Pookie?” Harmony asked

“You’ll soon find out!” Xander said with a wink. Spike and Buffy grinned and followed the couple out and down the corridor. Spike whispered,

“I think he means someone, NOT something!” Buffy snorted a giggle and they all got into the lift.

**********

Cassie Newton eased her car off the parking lot after watching Xander and Harmony, Spike and Buffy leave the studios.


She’d seen the manger, Spike say something to Buffy and they both laughed, he’d put his arm around her shoulder and hugged her towards him, kissing her forehead.

Now Cassie wasn’t big on relationships, fact was, she was 22 and had never had one herself, she was too scared to get involved, bearing in mind her medical condition. But one thing she did know, was that it definitely didn’t look like the young blonde singer Buffy was ‘pining’ for her old soldier boyfriend anymore, in fact her body-language alone told the tale that that relationship was long dead, coz Buffy had got herself a new beau in the shape of her manager.

As Cassie eased her car into the busy evening traffic, she wondered again if she should do her bosses’ bidding, and lure this Riley Finn chap to the studios under any sort of false hopes………

***************
Chapter 21A by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 21A


“Can you stay with me tonight?” Buffy asked as they pulled up on her driveway.

“Sure, but I’ll need to go early in the morning and then come back for you, ok?”
Buffy smiled and they got out of the car.

“There’s a light on, do you think Willow’s in?”

“Um, let me think…no, probably not, she teaches an evening class tonight, but she comes home first, leaves the light on for the burglars!”

Buffy opened up and they went in.

“Willow…Will, are you home?” Buffy called. On receiving no reply, they took their coats off and hung them up.

“Want a drink or anything?”

“Uh-uh, come here you gorgeous little girl!” Buffy grinned and went straight to him.

“’Kay, now I’m here, what are you going to do, huh?”

“This!” Spike went to home in for a kiss, but Buffy leaned out of his grasp grinning, and suddenly lightly pushed him away, and made for the stairs

“You’ll have to catch me first!” And ran up the stairs. Giggling and in hot pursuit, Spike ran after her, easily catching before she even reached the top step.

“Gotcha! Now young lady…I’m going to show you what I do to naughty little girls!”

Buffy’s eyes flashed and she said sexily,

“What EVERY naughty little girl?” Spike grinned and gently pulled her into the bedroom, closing the door and leaning in close he whispered,

“Oh no, just THIS naughty girl!”

“Can’t wait………………………”


**********

When Anya got to the restaurant at 9.10, Rupert was already waiting for her; he’d been hovering around the booking desk.

“Anya! You made it…come on through…let me take your coat…hungry?”

“Starving, I missed lunch”

He felt like a schoolboy on a first date. Nervous and fumbling, her slight lateness adding to his anxiety, he almost dropped her jacket.

“Drink?” He did the gentlemanly thing and pulled out the chair for her

“Great. I’ll have a vodka Martini” He went to the bar and ordered her drink, bringing back two menus, and gave her one, putting her drink down by the side-plate.

“There you are…so, good day – you had me worried, being a bit late…I thought, well…” Anya took the menu, and placed it on the table, taking a sip of her drink.
Rupert cleaned his glasses nervously.

“Giles, please. Look, lets just put last night behind us, and start again, shall we? Pretend it never happened”

He put his glasses back on and stared at her owlishly.

“This……… all this nervousness, there no need, honestly. Last night was just a silly glitch, okay?”

“I AM truly sorry Anya, really – “

“Giles, it’s all forgotten, just like a bad dream. Now………let me see, I’m starving – what’s good today?” Giles knew it was the end of the matter, and felt his shoulders drop and he began to relax at last. She opened the menu and perused the contents. Maybe he hadn’t blown it after all.

“Ooh! Look at that. The duck breast with foie gras mousseline and truffle oil sounds good for starters………then I think I’ll have………the calves liver. Oh, no I won’t, I’ll have the roast lamb shank with juniper and rosemary jus, crushed new potatoes and the braised red cabbage with sherry vinegar and raisins, thankyou. What are you going to have?” Anya folded the menu shut and handed it back to the waitress

“Well, the crab’s fresh in from Chesapeake Bay, I’ll have the baked crab claws with the foaming lemon cream sauce, and then I think…hmm, I can’t decide between the venison casserole with red wine and redcurrant gravy, spring onion and parsley dumplings, or-“ Anya sat up, looking surprised

“Where’s that? I didn’t see that! – No, no, it’s ok. I’ll stick to what I ordered. After all, I can always try yours can’t I love?” The waitress smiled and retracted the menu.

“I don’t know whether to try the pheasant. Hmm…then there’s the wild boar.”

“Have the venison, I want to try that!” Anya said cheekily. Giles smiled and closed the menu and handed it to the waitress.
“Okay then, the crab claws and the venison, thankyou Polly – oh, and a bottle of the um………yes, the 87 Red Burgundy – that okay with you Anya, as we both have red meat?”

“Fine”

“Yeah, make sure it’s the 87”

“Sir”

“So…I nearly dropped us in it this morning” Anya said, sipping her drink

“Oh?”

“Jenny phoned me, she wanted to come over or me to go over to her hotel, she’d left her spare contact lenses at mine, and she told me she came here to see you last night”

“Oh god, what did you say?” Giles put his glass down

“Well, when she said ‘I went to the Winds bar last night, I said, I know…………”

**********


Lying snuggled up together Buffy had her head on Spike’s shoulder.
“I’m going to miss you the next four days”

Spike turned his head and kissed her forehead.

“I’ll miss you too, kitten”

“Really?” Spike moved more onto his side to face her, so her face now rested against his bicep. With his other hand he stroked her hair from her face.

“Course really! Buffy…I don’t want you to feel rushed, or feel like I’m pressurising you, but you’re in my thoughts 24/7. I’ve really fallen for you – but I don’t want to rush and spoi-hmm…mmmmmmm” Buffy had begun to kiss him, her passion mounting. She broke the kiss, and leaned over him, looking him straight in the eyes

“You’re not rushing or pressurising me, it’s what I want, YOU, are what I want”

Spike raised his head and began kissing her, gently pushing her backwards and he manoeuvred himself to lie between her legs.
Slipping between her satiny soft golden thighs, he nuzzled and ‘scented’ his cheeks on her dark curls, before licking the length of her hot sex. Buffy felt electrified, parting her femininity with his probing tongue, he found his prize, and swiped his tongue up and down and back and forth very fast over her clit. Buffy cried out in pure pleasure, her heels rammed into the mattress as his relentless talented tongue worked it’s magic on her. He worked his tongue lower to mop up her flowing nectar, her hips bounced as she experienced a series of little orgasmic flutterings.
“Please baby, want you, I want you so much”

Her small fingers closed around his rock hard thick length, she began to pump slowly ………

“Oh Gods, yes, yes, I want you”. He could feel she was ready, he knelt, lined himself up, thrust forward, slowly, oh so slowly, he began to slide inside her, tight, moist heat. He withdrew and then thrust forward again, giving her time to adjust to his incredible size. Buffy arched her back and her neck, mouth open, eyes closed, she groaned so erotically as he thrust up deep inside the core of her need.
“Oh, God Buffy!” Spike moaned, God she felt SO good, tight, wet, glorious. Moving her hips in time with his thrusts twenty minutes of this, Buffy thought she’d explode with exquisite pleasure.
“Ooohh – Gods Spike. So big-so good, oh yeah, hard, harder OOH GODS!”

She thrust up hard in time with his thrusts, nothing had ever, ever felt this good. She locked her ankles tightly around his waist; she could feel he was fully seated inside her. Spike thrust harder and moved his hips from side to side, sending delicious tremors all through them both. They both let out cries of pure lust, and suddenly her orgasm was upon her, she was mindless, her head thrashing from side to side, Spike cried out,
“Buffy, ah, Kitten, I’m not …… going to last oh, Buffy, Buffy – Oh god Buffy, I- I love you!”
His head dropped to her neck, as his tender words washed over her he felt her nails dig into his shoulders, and the first tight clench of her orgasm, she cried out
“Spike! Oh god - I love you, you too………ooooohhhhh…………”
Her climax had tripped him over to his own, and he pumped spurt after spurt of thick semen inside her, crying out her name. Both panting hard, Spike kissed her gently, looked into her eyes.

“I do Buffy, really, I mean it, I love you”

Buffy’s stomach back-flipped and she felt as if she could burst with happiness. She pulled him towards her.

“Good, because I really mean it too, I love you” They lay like that, still joined for ages. Just basking in the afterglow together.

They eventually fell asleep, but both woke later, making love again.


*********

Buffy, singing her head off along with the radio tried to close her case again, to no avail. Opening it with a sigh, (but even that didn’t shift the big smile she had on her face) she re-arranged certain items, and decided against taking her boots, and hairdryer and took them out.
She closed the case again, and it shut with a satisfying click, and hauled it off the bed.

“Buffy…when will you be back?” Willow stood cleaning her teeth in Buffy’s bedroom doorway. She’d stood there watching her friend looking so happy for a full minute before speaking.

“Friday evening – I’ve left you some cash to cover any eventualities, and don’t forget the new washing machine comes on Wednesday I’ve paid for them to plumb it in properly, but – DON’T whatever you do let them take the old one, it goes in the garage” She was still grinning

“Right, anything else?”

“Don’t think so. You can always phone my mobile. Is Oz going to stay here?”

“He’s busy with his band, but I think he said something about Wednesday. What if…well, what if your dad phones again, what shall I tell him?”

“Tell him the truth, I’m away at the moment, and I haven’t decided what to do yet. He’s waited ten years to contact me, he wait another few weeks” Willow nodded.

“So…are you going to be on anything I can watch?” Willow asked, grinning.

“Um, not sure, the ‘live’ things I’m doing are mostly kids programmes, one is a link between programmes…oh, I’m on the Alan Wavecrest show, but I think they record it, so it might be on at a later date, I’ll ring you”

“Can we get that on cable?”

“Yeah, station 35.”

“Right. And now, are you going to tell me what’s given you that silly big grin that hasn’t shifted, even when you were talking about your dad?”

“Grin? I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Buffy said, beaming even more. Willow smiled and shook her head.

They both heard a car draw up on the driveway.

“That’ll be Spike!” Buffy grinned and ran downstairs and opened the front door.

“Hi baby, all done finished packing?” Spike pulled her close and gave her a smacking kiss on the lips, his arm around her shoulders.

“Yeah, I haven’t taken much, just the one case, and an overnight bag” Spike looked amazed

“Wow, I’m impressed! Just show Anya and Harmony how to do it please, they always take so much, they need a truck for their clothes alone!”

“Well, I figured that if I wear the same jeans and stuff, nobody is going to see on the radio, are they?”

“Exactly! Anyway pet, time’s getting on, shall I go get the luggage and I’ll take you to the studios”

“Okay, it’s in my bedroom, I’ll just go say goodbye to Willow – oh – oh thanks Will, Spike was going to do that!”

Willow appeared at the front door, and put Buffy’s suitcase and overnight bag down.

“There you go! – Hi Spike!”

“Hi Willow, I’ll just go put these in the boot – trunk you know what I mean!” Spike grabbed the luggage and Buffy went and got her coat and purse.

“Well, see you Friday evening. Just ring me if there are any problems, okay” Buffy hugged her friend.

“You can always ring me too Will, just in case, here this is my mobile number” Spike handed Willow one of his business cards.

“Right, thanks – well go have a great time Buffy!”

Buffy grinned as she got into the car and waved to her friend, and Spike drove them to the studios to go and meet Clem.

**********
chapter 21B by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 21B

“Hello?”

“Hello? Cecily – Where the fuck are you – don’t tell me you’ve forgot-“

“No, um, no, I’m not Cecily, I’m her friend, Dru”

“Is she there?”

“Um, she’s not well, she had a real bad night I think she’s got a bug or something. Who is this please?”

“It’s Tucker, I’m at the studios – she was due to start shooting a new series today, Candy’s World Trip. Can I speak to her?”

“Er, um, well she’s asleep…can I get her to phone you?”

“Asleep? Oh fuck…Sweet’s just gonna LOVE this…I’ve got the worlds biggest male porn star sitting here waiting, and she’s still a fuckin’ ‘SLEEP!”

“Oh, she was with Daddy last night, he’ll be cool about things, don’t worry, she really wasn’t well”

“Well, I hope you’re right, and tell her to get her arse in here pronto, we can fix her up. Despite what you say, Sweet ain’t gonna be too happy paying the Master $10,000 a day just to sit around”

“Okay, will do, bye” Dru put the phone down and went upstairs. She opened the curtains and window in Cecily’s room. Cecily was curled up into a ball with the covers tightly round her.

Dru sat on the bed and pulled back the comforter.

“Cec…Cecily…Come on Cec…wake up!”

“Go way!”

“I’ve had this guy called Tucker on the phone for you”

“Uh…oh…wha’s –the-time?”

“It’s twenty past ten”

“Come back lunchtime”

“He said you were to go to the studios, he’ll fix you up. Something about Daddy having to pay the Master to sit around” Cecily suddenly sat up with a jolt, and wished she hadn’t. Her head swam and she felt nauseous, there was a faint smell of disinfectant in the air that added to her discomfort.

“Oh fuck, oh god…I forgot all about the movie”

“Want some coffee?” Dru stood up from the bed.

Cecily threw back the bedcovers. Each movement felt like torture to her whole body. She swung around and put her feet on the floor, reaching for her purse she took out a packet of Marlboro cigarettes and a lighter.

“Ew! This floor is wet…why is the floor wet Dru?” Cecily shakily lit a cigarette, it wasn’t easy, she had the shakes so much the flame wouldn’t connect with the tip at first.

“You were sick, I cleaned it up”

“Oh, right, thanks…fuck, my head…where did we end up, where did we go last night?”

“Daddy took us dancing! We went to…The Basement, and then onto George’s No. 8, don’t you remember?” Dru had picked up the photos she’d left on the nightstand and began to look through them.

“Huh? Oh, um, yeah, yeah, that’s right” Cecily wouldn’t have remembered if she’d gone to the moon and back last night, she’d done so much coke.

The phone rang again; its piercing tone had Cecily wincing.

“Get that for me would you love, if it’s Tucker, tell him I’m in the shower and I’ll be there by lunchtime, ‘kay?” Cecily stubbed out her cigarette, and then made a concerted effort and got up out of bed, lurching to the bathroom.

“Okay!” Dru said brightly. It wasn’t Tucker, but Sweet.

“Daddy!”

“Hello princess. Where’s Cecily?”

“She’s in the shower”

“Tucker, a man at the film studios tells me she hasn’t gone to work”

“Oh she was sick in the night, but she’s okay now, she’ll be going there by lunchtime”

“Did she say that?”

“Yes Daddy, honestly”

“Okay princess, I’ll see you later”

“Bye Daddy!”

“CECILY!” Dru called. Cecily stood up from the sink unit, pinching her nose, wiping it on the back of her finger, waiting for the rush of euphoria.

“Yeah?”

“That was Daddy”

“Is he mad at me?”

“No, I told him you were sick, but you’d be at the film studios lunchtime”

Cecily relaxed a little

“’Kay. Did you say something about coffee?”

“Sure…want breakfast?”

“Just coffee, love”

“Kay”

Cecily looked into the mirror at her reflection. Her eyes were a little bloodshot, she knew she was doing way too much coke and other stuff than was good for her, that and the late nights, the alcohol and lack of food was doing her no good at all, she would have to slow down. She’d get this series of six movies out of the way, and then go on a little holiday. Her head clearing, she squirted paste onto her toothbrush and began to clean her teeth. Dru appeared in the doorway, holding what looked like a photograph.

“Coffee’s on. Cec…does Spike still work at Aphrodite?” Cecily rinsed and spat, and ran the tap to clear the sink.

“Spike, um, well yeah, I think so, he’s Noiz’ manager. Why? What have you got there?” She turned to look at her friend after wiping her mouth on the towel.

“Oh…just some pictures I found”

“Let me see…oh god! I remember that beach party! Ooh! V-e-r-y arty…I don’t know why I’ve got that one” Cecily was looking at the Matinee Idol Spike photo.

“It was from when I lived here before. Has he…have you seen him, you know…recently?”

“Who, Spike? Um, oh god…let me see…not since, hold on, when did Noiz do Dallas? Let me think…oh, Easter, yeah, Easter weekend. Why – Oh Dru, don’t tell me…you don’t…”

“Don’t what?”

“You don’t still love him, do you?” Cecily looked at Dru, who just turned away and said quietly,

“Coffee’s ready”

**********


“Oh, er, hi. I wonder if you could help me? I’ve been left several messages on my Ansa phone, I’ve been away for a few days, and these messages, well, I’m not sure if you’ve got the right person”

“What’s your name?”

“Riley Finn”

“Oh, um, right, erm, did you used to live in Sunnydale and go out with a girl called Buffy Summers?”

“Er, well, yes, yes I did, but what has that got to do with coming to some TV Studios-“

“Hold on, stay there, I won’t be a minute” Cassie put the receiver down by the phone and raced out into the corridor.

“Glory!”

Glory turned her head and angrily hissed,

“Can’t you see I’m talking!”

“Riley Finn’s on the phone, he’s the right one, I –“

“Why didn’t you say!” Glory left the guy she was chatting to standing and barged passed Cassie into the office.

“………Checked. Um, Sorry about that, but she’s been waiting ages for this call” Cassie said by way of an explanation to the guy. He shrugged and walked away.

Cassie went back into her office to find Glory leaning against her desk, being so sickly sweet and nice to this Riley Finn on the phone.

Cassie didn’t want to hear it, so she picked up her purse and went for coffee.

************

Xander thought he’d be diplomatic, and stay out of the office so that Spike and Buffy could say their goodbyes in peace.

“I’ve forgotten my sunglasses, they are in my drawer. And what are you skulking around out here for, hmm?” Cordelia asked him with a grin.

She went to go into the office.

“Cordy, don’t go in th-oh, too late” Xander frowned and turned away, rubbing the back of his head.

Cordelia went in, and came out twenty seconds later, grinning.

“They never even noticed me! Didn’t look like they were coming up for air anytime soon either! Tell Buffy I’ll wait in the car. Is Clem already down there?”

“Yes, he just took Buffy’s luggage down”

“Oh gods, will there be enough room?”

“She only had one case and an overnighter”

“Wow! I admire her restraint. Okay now listen here you, just you behave while
I’m away, d’you hear me Harris!” She grinned at him, and he grinned back.

“Spoilsport! I will. And don’t you get up to any mischief, either!”

“Moi – mischief – as if! – See you!” The lift door slid open and she left with a little wave.

The office door opened and Buffy and Spike came out.

“Ready for the ‘off’ then, well, good luck. Not that you’ll need it, but, you know” Xander said smiling.

“Thanks Xander – oh, I suggested to Spike that you and Harmony come with us to that Sweet’s party – I thought that as none of us is too keen, we can at least have a little fun together”

“Great, I’ll tell Harm later, bye then, see you Friday”

“Bye Xander. Now, I wonder where Cordelia got to?”

“She’s waiting down there in the car for you”

“Right then, are you coming down with me Spike?”

“Of course Kitten, won’t be long Xander. Don’t run off, I want you to come out with me later, to listen to some bands, okay?”

“Right” The lift doors closed taking Buffy and Spike down to the ground floor.

Spike stopped the lift between the first and second floors, and kissed Buffy.

“Going to miss you, ring me when you get there, ‘kay?”

“I will. Can I have another kiss?” Spike obliged, giving her a cuddle and whispering

“Love you”

Buffy closed her eyes and smiled, hugging him tighter, she whispered,

“Love you too. I’ll miss you” They then heard a loud banging sound and somebody shouting.

“HEY…WHAT’S WRONG WITH THE LIFT….ANYBODY STUCK IN THERE, HELLO - HELLO!” Grinning guiltily, Spike pressed a button and the lift started again, and opened on the ground floor, to a little huddle of people around it.
Spike and Buffy stepped out, looked straight ahead, saying nothing. When they passed everyone, they both let out snorting giggles by the exit doors. Spike caught her hand.

“I won’t come out to the car, Kitten, now, get as much rest as you can okay, and don’t forget to ring me – bye babe”

“I will, I promise, bye – miss you”

“Miss you” she left, and turned back and waved, Spike mouthed

‘Love you’ Buffy grinned and mouthed ‘love you too’. Smiling, he took the stairs back up to the office.

Buffy had met Clem earlier on, and thought he was very nice. He had a slight facial deformity, but he had a lovely nature, and had promised Spike to look after Buffy for him.

“All belted in? Okay ladies, Sacramento, here we come, with a slight detour to pick up the radio interviewer in Burbank!” Buffy and Cordelia laughed as they drove off the carpark.

**********


Cassie came back from coffee, and sat behind her desk.

“Oh Cass, there you are. Now, any luck finding anything about Buffy’s father?”

“Er, erm , n-no. No, sorry. The er, the art-article just said ‘father’, d-didn’t give a name”

“Oh. Oh well, never mind, least you tried!” Glory smiled. Cassie’s brow rose in surprise. She wondered briefly what alien had beamed down and taken the REAL nasty, snarky sarcastic Glory and had put this ‘nice’ one in her plac
chapter 22 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 22


When Clem dropped the reporter at a hotel after interviewing Buffy in the car, Cordelia said,

“Either I’m getting old, or these reporters are getting so much younger these days! He barely looked 16!”

“He wasn’t, it’s for a youth programme”

“Oh. So, what’s next on the agenda?”

“Um…hold on…tonight…” Buffy read off her schedule.

“I’m on a chat show, ‘In Conversation With’”

“Oh, I’ve seen that, Wes was on it week before last”

“Wes?” Buffy asked, and Cordelia blushed. Buffy smiled

“Come on, spill!”

“Okay, but you must…you know, we’re trying to keep it hush-hush”

Buffy smiled and nodded, then gave a sideways glance to Clem.

“Oh, don’t worry about Clem, his middle name is discretion! It’s Wes Price” Buffy’s eyes flashed big and she grinned

“Ow wow Cordelia! How did you meet him then?”

“At a party. I was there with Sweet, and Wes’ Personal Assistant came over and asked me some details. You see Sweet wants to break out into mainstream films, rather than just the porn stuff, and he wondered if Wesley would be interested in the lead role for a screenplay he’s got”

“And is he?”

“Well, he could be, it all depends if this Bond thing works out”

“Oh gods, yes! I read about that, while I was on the plane going to NY! Wow, Spike’s secretary dating James Bond! – Hey, if he gets the role, we’ll have to start calling you Miss Moneypenny!”

“Don’t you dare! – Want to know the best thing?”

“Go on!”

“Well, at this party, Glory was there, you know, Glory Benson – she made no bones about wanting him, and he didn’t want to know, you should have seen her face when we left together!”

Both girls giggled and Clem smiled

“I hate that Glory – she’s a real bitch!” Buffy said, and Cordelia frowned

“You haven’t been on her show yet, have you? – I know she kept phoning me about you”

“Did she? I met her at the after-show party at the Indie Radio Awards. She came over to where we were sitting. She kept getting my name wrong, calling me ‘Betty’, and then when Spike introduced us, he said how she’s got two shows on cable, and she made some bitchy comment how I wouldn’t know that coz I’d be out clogging the arteries of the general public” Cordelia frowned again and said,

“What did she mean by that?”

“She was referring to the fact that I used to work at a burger bar, before I got the school councillors’ job”

“Cow. She really is, I haven’t met one person yet that likes her!”

“Got my own back though…I grabbed Harmony and said, ‘Oh look, there’s somebody famous over there I’d like to speak to!” Cordelia went round eyed and shrieked with laughter.

“You didn’t – oh my god, I wished I could have seen her face!”

“Yeah well, in my book, if you can’t take it, you shouldn’t dish it!” Buffy said

“Very true. Well, this is my stop coming up…Clem, can you drop me off on the Starbucks parking lot…I hope my cousin isn’t late meeting me” Cordelia unclipped her seatbelt and picked up her purse.

“Will do” Clem checked his mirror and drew up onto the lot. Cordelia got out and took two bags out of the trunk, and then waved them off.

“You ok there Buffy?” Clem asked

“Fine thanks Clem, um, how long is it until we are there?”

“Oh…in this traffic, I’d say just under an hour”

“Great, I’ll have time for a shower before my first interview”

**********

“Hello, could I speak to Miss Glory Benson, please?”

“I’m afraid she’s out, she’s at the recording studios doing her chart rundown show, can I help, I’m her researcher, Cassie Newton”

“Oh, perhaps you can, it’s Riley Finn here”

“Right! Hello, how can I help you?”

“Well you see, I’ve just been contacted by my wife, and she’s got leave and is coming home in four days time, she’s with the Peace Corps, and we didn’t think she’d be home until nearer Christmas you see, but well, as Glory told me if I came on the reunion show I could have luxury hotel accommodation for a few days, and have anything I liked, well, I know this sounds a bit cheeky but, well, could I bring my wife – would that be allowed do you think?”

Cassie couldn’t stop smiling. Wife – he had a wife!

“Your wife you say, right, um, hold on…um………” Cassie held the receiver to her chest thinking quickly, then she said,

“Um tell me Mr Finn, is Glory aware that you are married?”

“No, no it didn’t come up in conversation, why is there a problem?”

“Oh, no, no problem at all. Yes! Um, yes, that will be fine, I’ll make arrangements for another flight for you…did she say the Excelsior or the Holiday Inn do you know?”

“The Holiday Inn. Oh wow, I can’t wait, Sam will love this!”

“Sam?”

“My wife. She deserves a treat…and I wanted her to meet Buffy”

“Right…um, would you do me a favour Mr Finn, and not mention this to Glory”

“Oh, um right. Will there be a problem then – because if it-“

“NO! No, don’t worry…it’s just that she forgets what she promises sometimes, you know, luxury this, and no expense spared that, then she starts to fret about the budget, the less she knows, the um, the less she can worry about – you know how it is. Oh, that’s great – I see it won’t cost us anymore as I see we’d booked you a suite at the hotel anyway, so it’s only the cost of a flight, that’ll be absolutely no problem!” Cassie was crossing her fingers, hoping she sounded convincing.

“Really – great, so what about the flight tickets, will you -?”

“Don’t you worry Mr Finn, I’ll arrange it all, send you the flight tickets. I haven’t got to inform the hotel as you’ve got a suite already booked.”

“Well thankyou, Miss…Miss?”

“Newton, Cassie Newton. I’ll get right onto the travel people right now, and I’ll send you the airplane tickets as soon as they come through, okay?”

“Sure there won’t be a problem – because I don’t want to build my wife’s hopes up only to-“

“I assure you, Mr Finn, no problem, honestly, consider it done, goodbye”

“Thankyou, bye Miss Newton”

Cassie ended the call, and she was grinning. Glory only had herself to blame for this………after all, she did say that Riley could have anything he wanted if he came to LA for the show…and the man wanted to bring his WIFE – that wasn’t unreasonable now, was it!

Something Glory hadn’t even thought about, Cassie mused.

Immediately Cassie went on-line and arranged another flight from Iowa to LA.
“I bet she didn’t even think to ask Riley if he was even in a relationship now!” Cassie said to herself, and smiled when the ‘Flight confirmed’ noticed flashed on the monitor and she booked another ticket.

She couldn’t wait to see Glory’s face when this nasty little scheme of hers came crashing down around her ears…on LIVE TV too!

**********


“Tell me honestly, do my eyes look like piss-holes in the snow?”
Cecily stood still while Dru looked her in the eyes.

“Um, well they are a little reddish, but they’ll soon clear, open the car window and get some fresh air”

“Yeah, ok. So, you gonna come with me?”

“What, to work with you! – No way!”

“Oh come on. You won’t be asked to DO anything!”

“Sure? Coz I don’t want to get there, and then this Tucker guy thinks he can use me as a flufferer or whatever it’s called, coz he can think again!”

“A what – oh, you mean a fluffer! We don’t use ‘em – no need in this day and age, not with Viagra, the um, ‘interest’ doesn’t flag anymore, these men don’t have trouble getting and keeping ‘wood’ now, they just pop a pill before hand, and then make like the Energiser bunny all day – come on then if you’re coming, I said lunchtime, Tucker will have a fit if he has to wait any longer”

Dru followed Cecily out, to be truthful, she was more than a little curious…

**********

“Hi baby”

Buffy tingled all over when Spike’s deep sexy voice almost purred down the phone to her.

“Hi, we’ve just got here, I’m checked in and I’m going to have a shower”

“You made good time then. How was the radio interview in the car?”

“Fine, golly he was young – couldn’t have been more than 16”

“Really? – Oh yes, it was for the youth radio thing. It’s a project for kids with an interest in broadcasting. So, you’ve just got the one tonight, haven’t you pet?”

“Yes, the ‘In Conversation With’. Tomorrow’s the biggie with four!”

“Well make sure you get enough rest, won’t you kitten”

“I will, oh, someone’s at the door, I better go”

“’Kay, baby have fun”

“Can I phone you later?”

“Course you can, if I’m unavailable, leave a voice message, or a text, and I’ll get back to you if I’m not too late. Xander and me are going out doing a bit of band talent spotting tonight. I’ll let you go then kitten, bye now”

“Bye baby”

“Bye kitten”

Buffy opened the door and there stood a bellhop.

“For miss Buffy Summers” He handed her a single red rose all done up in pretty cellophane with red trailing ribbons. Buffy looked surprised, and took the flower, thanking and tipping the lad as she closed the door. She flipped the card open and read,

‘Will miss you tonight and the next three, good luck, lots of love, Spike XXX’

Buffy beamed and sniffed the heady perfume. She felt all warm and happy inside. She’d miss him too, not just the great, well, fantastic sex, she’d miss the closeness, him holding her and her waking up in his arms, her favourite thing (well, almost favourite!)

**********

“Better make it quick, the boss is already on my back this morning, so what is it this time?” Willy asked Glory. She was dressed as last time, baseball cap pulled well down over her eyes.

“I want this journalist mate of your to see if he can trace Buffy’s father”

“Shouldn’t be too difficult, what’s his name?”

“Well, if I knew that, Einstein, I wouldn’t need the help of this friend of yours now would I?”

“I thought you’d got researchers for this sort of thing!” Willy said, glaring up at her. This little bitch ought to start treating him with a bit more respect!

“I don’t want them knowing too much…stuff gets out, and I want this to be a TOTAL surprise, okay?” Glory toed the cracks in the ground with her booted foot, not looking at Willy. He knew she was a devious bitch, he didn’t know what she was planning, but it seemed really important to her, so, now was the time to put a price on the info she wanted.

“Okay…say I get him to trace daddy dearest for you. What’s in it for me?”

“Your Journalist mate will get the exclusive, honestly – it’ll be a big scoop, I promise” Willy smirked, and shook his head saying,

“No, no, no, no, no, no, no. You didn’t hear me. I said, what’s in it for ME?”

Glory stopped making patterns in the dirt and looked at him.

“You don’t think I’m doing this just for a ‘drink’ do you?” Willy smirked again, folded his arms and leant against the fire-exit door.

Glory rolled her eyes.

“How much?” she snapped. Willy pretended to look hurt.

“Oh now, don’t be like that…I thought that perhaps we could, you know…(he ran a grubby finger down her cheek) get better acquainted”

“WHAT! Why you weasely little – GET OFF ME!” She pushed him and Willy went flying backwards straight through the fire doors.

“HELLO…WILLY, IS THAT YOU DOWN THERE…WILLY…WILLY!” Warren called out over the stairwell railings. Daylight flooded in through the exit doors and Warren wondered just what his errant barman was up to this time.

Willy stood up and dusted himself down, and squinted after the quickly retreating figure of Glory running down the alleyway.

“You can run, bitch…but you won’t do that to me twice…” Willy muttered to himself

“What the fuck are you doing now?” Warren asked irritably, standing in the doorway.

“Thought I heard something boss…just some punks messing about, that’s all” Willy came back inside, slamming the doors shut and making sure that the release bars were set properly.
Warren didn’t believe him for a second, he’d heard a female voice he was sure, but couldn’t be bothered to question him about it. Willy took the stairs two at a time. He’d get the info Glory wanted, but the price for it had just gone up, two-fold.

********

The show went like clockwork for Buffy and after having a quick soda and chat with the other two guests in the green room, she left for the hotel. She said goodnight to Clem who was in the room next door, and went in her own room.

She threw off her lace shawl and kicked off her shoes and sat on the bed. She took out her cell-phone and called Spike. She got his message desk, and realised that he either must be either still out band spotting with Xander, or driving. She left him a little goodnight message and said she’d contact him sometime tomorrow between interviews.

************

Xander slapped his thigh laughing, Spike was driving.

“Oh god, did you SEE that guy! What an IDIOT – ‘What did you think of my impersonation of Slash’ he said – I don’t know how I didn’t laugh in his face!” Xander said, giggling. Spike grinned too,

“Well, you get them like that, they stand in front of the wardrobe mirror at home, playing ‘air guitar’ to Jon Bon Jovi or what have you, and they think they can be super-stars.

“But I mean, he only knew three chords!”

“Well, that never stopped Status Quo…it was the beer-belly over the hipster jeans that made me laugh – he actually told me he read somewhere the girls say they love it – I had to break it to him, that it was a six-pack the girls love, not to look like he DRANK a six-pack every night!”

This set them of laughing again.

Spike’s mobile phone beeped and he smiled as he shifted gear.

“Ah, good…I bet that’s my baby all safely tucked up in bed now, well I hope it is!” Xander smiled

“She’s a lovely girl, Spike”

“I know mate!” Spike flashed him a grin and turned off the highway to take Xander home.

“So, how’s things going with you and Harm – you ‘fessed up about still living at home with your parents yet?”

“Things are great – really well actually. But the other thing? - Well, no, I’ve not exactly come clean. I told her I’m having the place re-decorated all through, so I need to find somewhere quick, and get it decorated. Where are we, anyway?”

“Merryvale, right by Sweet’s porno film studios” Spike said. Xander ducked his head and squinted out of the window across to the low building.

“Oh yeah”

Spike slowed the car as they came to some traffic lights, and then stopped as they were on red. From off the studio parking lot a taxi cab slid into the traffic, coming along side Spike’s car. Xander casually looked out of the passenger window, and got a shock. He blinked, looked straight ahead, and then back through the side window into the taxicab. He grabbed Spike’s leg, just as the cab turned left as the lights changed, and Spike had indicated to turn right.

“Ow! Xander, what the fuck - bloody hell! Why did you do – ow – what was THAT for!”?
Spike glared angrily at his passenger, steered the car one-handed and rubbed his thigh with the other. Xander looked well shocked.

“Oh my god. Oh my GOD, you’ll NEVER guess who I’ve just seen?” Spike frowned, shifted gears and accelerated.

“Don’t tell me, Burt Reynolds. Well, it isn’t him, it’s just a guy that works there that has this big moustache and -“

“No! Spike no, listen to me!”

“ - Besides which, Burt Reynolds is too old now to-“

“Will you shut the fuck up about Burt bloody Reynolds! I SWEAR to god, I just saw ………I saw, Drusilla”

“What – don’t be a dick. Of course you didn’t!”

Spike frowned, and turned right into Park Lane.

“I swear, she looks thinner in the face, but I’d know those eyes anywhere!” Xander wasn’t smiling now, he looked deadly serious. Spike shook his head and dismissed what Xander said.

“No. Trick of the light – you saw the girl in that cab for what, a couple of seconds, max? Dru’s in England, has been for the last two years, since she, well, you know, that roof business”

“Hello, there are such things as planes you know! They fly regularly back and forth over the Atlantic!”

Spike pulled up outside Xander’s house. Every light blazed and there was a bedroom window wide open, with several items of clothing lying on the grass, there was still a shirt dangling from the sill. Even in the car, he could hear the argument that was raging inside the house. Xander’s shoulders fell, he closed his eyes and rubbed his face.

“Oh fuck. I forgot, Welfare benefit day, they’ll both be pissed out of their skulls” He turned to look at Spike, who winced in sympathy.

“Well how are you supposed to sleep through that?”

“I put the headphones on, and turn up whatever I’m listening to really loud. It drowns out everything. I didn’t even know the police had arrived last time, until the officer came into my room and took them off my head, told me they were taking my dad down to the cells to cool off”

“The police – fuckin’ hell Xand, how can you live like this?” Xander shrugged

“You get used to it”

“Come on, get back in”

“What, why?”

“You can’t go in there, it sounds and looks like a bloody war-zone!” Spike’s statement of truth was verified as a suddenly there was a loud bang and the sound of broken glass as one of the front windows smashed. Whatever had been thrown through rolled over the lawn, and the shouting could be heard even louder now.

“Get in, come on – hell, listen” Spike pushed the passenger door open from the inside, and Xander got in. They could hear the police car siren getting louder as Spike pulled away.

“But where are we going?”

“You can stay at mine tonight – and then priority tomorrow, you are going flat hunting”

When they got to Spike’s place, he got out a spare quilt from the airing cupboard and pulled out the sofa into a bed.

Nothing more was said about Xander’s ‘sighting’ of Dru, but when Spike got into bed, and after he’d listened to Buffy’s message and text’ her back, he lay down and started thinking. He hadn’t thought about Dru in a long time, and definitely not since he’d clapped eyes on Buffy.

No, Xander must have been mistaken. Trick of the light, or rather lack of it would be more accurate. Spike closed his eyes and settled down. He went to turn over onto his side, and suddenly a thought struck him, and he remembered something Sweet had said to him at the last monthly meeting, when he’d been ticking him off just before he left...

**“I know how things are, it must be a little hard for you at the moment, it came as a shock to me when I saw her,” ** Sweet had said…now, at the time, Spike thought Sweet had finally flipped, the drugs too much for his addled brain… “Oh fuck, what if he WAS talking about Dru – shit! Well, she just better stay well away from me” Spike mumbled to himself. He turned over pulling up the covers.
Chapter 23 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 23


“I think they want to lock up!” Anya said to Giles

“What – oh, oh r-right…well…er, back to mine th-then?”

“Okay” Anya nodded, and finished her drink.

Rupert went and fetched their coats, and called them a cab. He’d only had three drinks all night, and knew that he would more than likely suffer from ‘performance anxiety’ because of the previous night, despite what Anya said, so he’d gone and got himself some ‘insurance’.

Several of the little blue triangular pills the ‘V’ on the front that would help nature along if the flesh were weak. Not that he’d let her see him take one though. He thought that he could do that in the bathroom, and hopefully during the foreplay, ‘things’ would kick in and he’d be fine this time. To suffer impotence twice would mean that he’d never be able to look Anya in the face again; that was if she’d even allow him to!

They got back to Rupert’s place, and Anya made herself comfortable on the sofa.

“Nightcap?”

“Please”

“Cognac?”

“Fine”

He poured them both a cognac, and sat close next to her. Turning sideways on to face her, they talked easily. Giles had begun to stroke her hand. It was Anya’s turn to feel a little nervous.

If things didn’t workout this time, could they even salvage their friendship afterwards? All thoughts left her head as Giles began to kiss her. When she eventually broke the kiss, she looked at him.

“Shall we…go make ourselves more comfortable?”

She allowed Giles to gently lead her by the hand and take her upstairs.

**********

“Oh, hello love, I er, I wonder if you can help me?” Willow looked at the middle-aged man. She couldn’t see a delivery van anywhere, so guessed he hadn’t bought the new washing machine.

“Does a Mr Chuck Summers live here – or used to?” This was an old ploy. Pluck any first name out of a hat and use it, if the people know who you mean, they immediately correct you and give the proper name, worked almost every time.

“Sorry, no. No one of that name here” She went to close the door.

“Hold up love – are you sure – I’m after Buffy’s dad. This is where Buffy lives, isn’t it?”

“Look, who are you? What do you want?”

“Told you love-“

“I’m not your love, stop calling me that!” just then, Willow was very relieved to see Oz’s hand-painted, psychedelic, flower-power VW van pull up on the driveway.

“I’m sorry miss, only I need to speak to Buffy’s father see, and-“ Oz cut the engine and jumped out.

“You ok Will?” Oz could see Willow looking very uncomfortable, wringing her hands.

“Yes! Yes, I’m um…-“

“What do you want, mate?” Oz turned to the scruffy man

“I’m looking for Buffy’s father”

“Her father? Well, you’ve come to the wrong place mate, he has never lived here”

“Could you tell me his name?” the guy asked Oz

“No. Now if you don’t mind please go. Buffy hasn’t heard from her father since she was about nine, when she moved here from LA – now please go”

“But-“

“But nothing, GO, before I call the police”

The man held up his hands in the recognised ‘I surrender’ pose.

“Okay, okay, no need for that…are you sure that-“

Oz gently pushed Willow inside and he closed the door with a mighty slam.

“Right then…back to square one” the guy said to himself and ambled back to his parked car.

Willow and Oz watched from behind the lounge curtains.

“Has he gone?” Willow whispered to Oz

“No…and why are you whispering, he can’t hear you!”

“What’s he doing now?”

“Well, he’s sitting in his car opposite, making a phonecall, I think…I can see his lips moving anyway”

“I wonder who he was…oh god, what if her dad owes money, and he’s trying to get it out of Buffy?” Willow said nervously.

“No. He’d got journalist written all over him” Oz said.

“Had he?” Willow sounded surprised

“Well, not literally of course, but who else would come here, looking for a guy that’s never lived here, and didn’t even know his name. He’s a journalist, looking for a story, trust me”

“Golly, you are clever! Oh god, do you think I ought to tell her?”

“What, why? No, don’t worry her. Anyway, why would he contact her now, after all this time”

“Oz, he already has”

“What – when?”

“Yesterday morning. But he phoned the record company a while or so ago when he found out she’d won the talent contest”

“What a bastard…all that trouble she went to trying to find him when her mom died…and because she’s won a competition, he pops up outta nowhere” Oz said, shaking his head in disgust. Willow was ‘rubber-necking out of the window, trying to see what the guy was doing sitting in his car, when the van from ‘Powerhouse’ pulled up blocking her view.

“Oh, oh! The washing machine is here – open the basement door would you, I’ll let the guy in” the doorbell rang and the delivery guy checked it was the right address, and waved to his friend to get the new machine.
Willow saw the man drive away, and again she wondered whether or not to tell Buffy about him or not.

**********

“Oh – God, Yes! Ooooohhhhh!” Anya’s rigid body suddenly went limp, and Giles collapsed on top of her, they were both panting. Giles grinned down at her and kissed her lightly.

“Wow, I………hoo - god, that was worth waiting for!” Anya gasped
**My god, super-stud or WHAT!** Jenny had been so right. He was still on top of her, still hard.

“Had enough my little tigress?” Anya grinned and bucked up her hips.

“I haven’t, if you haven’t!” Giles thrust his hips forward, giving her an almighty prod, setting her eyes rolling.

“Me love? I’ve barely even started!” Giles bragged, setting a hard fast thrusting pace that had Anya trying to catch her breath.


************

“Hello Kitten!”

“Hi, I got your message, I read it at nearly four o’clock this morning!”

“Four o’clock – good grief!”

“Oh, I didn’t go out, I woke for the bathroom!”

“I was going to say! – so pet, what’s first on the agenda today?”

“Elevenses with Ellen, then straight from there over to the Fun Factory to do the kids show at lunchtime”

“I see”

“What time did you get in last night?”

“Not too late, I got home about twenty past eleven, I was nearly at Xander’s place when my mobile beeped to say I’d got a message. Anyway, he stayed at mine”

“Did he, why? Was he drunk?”

“No, nothing like that, we didn’t drink we were working, his mum and dad were re-enacting the Battle of the Alamo or something, and so I said for him to stay at mine”

“God, how awful! He really IS going to have to get a place of his own, Harmony said something about she can’t wait to see it, she’ll start to get suspicious if he doesn’t find somewhere soon”

“I told him that. That’s where he is right now, today, flat hunting – top priority”

“Good. I missed you last night”

“I missed you too kitten – oh hell, sorry babe, I must go, it’s a little chaotic here with Cordy out and Xander too, and the blasted phone keeps ringing, ring me later, good luck sweetheart, bye”

“Okay then, bye baby, speak later”

Spike picked up the phone on Cordelia’s desk.

“Hello………who?………Never heard of him, sorry!… What, oh, well never heard of her, either, try the switchboard” Spike threw the receiver down.

There was a knock at the door, and Harmony poked her head around it.

“Hi Spike, have you seen Xander?”

“He’s flat- um, f-flat, flat broke! Yeah, he um, he’s gone to the bank or something, he needs some cash, tried his mobile?” Spike had his back to her and his eyes screwed up from his near faux pas.

“Yeah, but he’s switched off” he turned to face her shrugging.

“Oh well, you know what they are like in these places. If I see him, shall I give him a message for you?”

“No, it’s ok – I’m going shopping, that’s all”

“Right-o, I’ll tell him” Harmony shut the door

Spike’s desk phone rang and he picked up.

“Spike Carling”

“Spike, it’s me”

“Oh hi, Xander, look, I just had Harmony in here looking for you, I nearly gave the game away, but I think I covered, I said you were flat broke and had gone to the bank”

“Right. Now, would you say $1000 a month was excessive for a two-bedroomed flat in Norwood?”

“Norwood? – Which end, the multi-plex cinema end, or the other end, by the rail tracks?”

“Sort of in the middle, it’s got front garage parking and a rear garden, it looks nice enough, want to come over and look at it with me?”

“Erm…lunchtime?”

“Hold on, I’ll just check………yeah, the agent says 12.45, that ok with you?”

“I’ll be there, what number?”

“1213B Del Rio Drive”

“Right, ‘kay then mate, see you there”

Spike sat behind his computer to catch up with some work, his phone going all morning. He checked his watch, it was 12.10, he’d work another ten minutes, and then go to meet Xander. His phone rang for the umpteenth time that morning.

“Hello, Spike Carling……… hello … hello … Spike Carling’s office…oh suit yourself!” As he got no answer, he threw the receiver down, and logged off on is computer.

************

Cecily came back into the dressing room rest area tying her silk robe around her, before collapsing in a chair.

“Dru, what are you doing, who are you phoning – be a love and get me a ciggie, would pet?”

Dru threw down the phone like a scalded cat.

“Nothing! N-no-one! Um, cigarettes, right, are – are they in your purse ……… here you are”

“Uh huh…Ta………pass me the wet-wipes too please…I’m all gunky from the lube…” Dru did as she was asked, after lighting Cecily’s cigarette.

“So, the guys were just asking if I wanted to go to a rave tonight, want to come? – It’ll be fun”

“Um…I don’t know…I don’t think so” Dru sat opposite her friend

“Oh come on…you’re getting boring again, and you know how much you enjoyed yourself when we went out the other night!” Cecily cajoled. Truth was, Dru could have been playing wallflower and sitting in the corner crying all night for all that Cecily remembered of the evening.

“I’ll see” Dru said, tracing the pattern on the worn tabletop. Cecily shrugged

“Well, s’up to you, I’m going though”

“TIME, CECILY” Somebody on-set called. Cecily rolled her eyes, flicked ash and took another quick drag on her cigarette before stubbing it out.

“Fuckin’ ‘ell, give us a chance to ‘ave a decent cig, we’re not THAT far behind filming the time we stayed last night!” She undid her robe and threw it over the chair, walking back on-set naked.

Dru looked at the phone wistfully, sighed, she’d heard his voice! She then picked up the nearly full ashtray and began to tidy up.

**********

“Yeah…yeah, it fine this mate, needs a lick of paint – but it’s handy for the studios and quiet…nice garden…who does the garden by the way?” Spike turned and asked the letting agent.

“Oh don’t worry about that, they have a gardener come in twice a week”

“Right, so how much did you say?”

“The rent is $1000 per calendar month”

“First month free, and we’ll do the decorating” Spike asked hopefully. The letting agent smiled

“Okay, I think that will be acceptable. Oh, there is a no-pets policy”

“Did you hear that Xander, you wouldn’t be able to bring the giraffe and your Bengal tiger!”

“Ha-ha, he’s a comedian – take no notice, so when do I sign?” Xander asked

“Um we can go back to the office and sign right now, it’s three months rent in advance, will that be okay?”

“Fine”

“That’s just two months money, marked up as three months, he’s buying the paint” Spike reminded the agent

“Right, that’s fine, don’t worry I’ve made a note. So, are you or your um, partner going to sign?”

“Partner? – There’s only me”

“Oh, sorry, I thought...sorry!”

The letting agent left to go and sit in the car while Spike and Xander had another look around.

“Did she think…well, do we look gay or something?” Xander looked a little worried

“What – don’t be silly…now, ducky – I suggest cream walls I here, and I’d like pink for the bedroom!” Spike said in a really camp voice. Xander laughed and swatted Spike on the arm.

“Shut up!” Spike laughed and said,

“Will you be okay for the advance rent AND furnishing the place and that?”

“Yeah, single bloke and no social life, I’ve got a bit put by”

“Well, I was thinking, as there’s a cooker built in, you’ll only need a fridge and a microwave in the kitchen, you have a bed at home I presume, and you can always pick up a couple of those leather sofa’s from the storage basement at work. They might be a bit grubby, but nothing a good clean and a throw over them won’t cure, they’ll be fine. I’ve got a coffee table you can have, and a bookcase, the rest you can get over time”

“Oh this is fantastic! I can’t wait to move in!” Xander beamed.

“Only thing is…I need somebody to do the decorating, and soon”

“Leave it to me!”

Just over an hour later, Xander had put down the deposit and had even gone and bought huge tins of Magnolia paint.

**********

“Little horrors – I understand what Harmony meant about working with children or animals now!” Buffy said, but she didn’t sound cross.

“Lucky enough you had time to go back to the hotel and change then!”

“I had to shower too, the crazy-foam dried all sticky! Oh, and I’ve had an invitation to dinner tonight, Kay Deno himself – which I declined, I hasten to add”

“You watch yourself pet, he’s a renown womaniser!”

“Well he can womanise someone else, I’m spoken for!” Spike chuckled, and said,

“You sure are. Anyway, good news!” then told her about Xander’s new flat

“Wow”

“And I’ve got the maintenance man from here, Charlie, he’s going to paint it tomorrow and Thursday, so he could be in by the weekend!”

“Great. Hmm…roll on Friday, I can’t wait to see you!”

“I know babe, I miss you too. You take care tonight, and watch that Kay, he’s a great one for asking the ladies back for a nightcap and that”

“No. no nightcaps for me, I promise”

“Well, I’ll speak to you tomorrow kitten – enjoy dinner”

“I’ll be thinking about you”

“Good! Bye then sugar”

“Bye baby” Spike put the phone down, and looked up at a very grubby Xander who had just come into the office, grinning

“Bloody hell, where have you been? – In the coal hole?” Spike asked.

“I’ve been in the storage basement…I’ve got two two-seater leather couches, three sets of shelving, and remember that old swivel black-leather rocking chair of Sweet’s – I got that too! Charlie is going to clean them all up for me and take them over to the flat!”

Spike smiled at his friend and said,

“Have you asked Sweet if it’s okay to have them?”

“No, but apparently, he told Maintenance they could all go to the tip, so don’t suppose he’ll mind if I have them!”

“Never the less, just mention it to him, you know, just in case” Spike suggested.

“Yeah ok. So, what are we doing tonight, more band spotting?”

“Could do…bring Harmony if you want”

“Yeah? – Okie dokie then!”

“But Xand, remember, don’t keep going on about the flat, it isn’t new to you as far as Harmony’s concerned”

“Yeah right – good thinking – I’ll see you here at what, seven?”

“Make it half-past”

“Right, later then, I’d better go home shower and change”

*********


“Ah ha…what have we here then…looks promising…Henry ‘Hank’ Summers, born Carlsbad, LA, 5th September 1958, Married Joyce Elizabeth-Anne Wilkinson born 18th May 1959 on the 7th of April 1980………………blah, blah, blah………divorced through to decree absolute 19th December, 1990. Well that was a nice Christmas present…yadda, yadda, yadda…Um, one child, Elizabeth Anne Summers, born January 6th 1984 – ok, let me check Buffy’s birthday…January the 6th, 1984! Bingo – Houston we have lift off!” The man wrote down all the information he’d found out, and left the library, taking out his cell-phone as he made his way to his car. He called up ‘menu’ and pressed a number, after a few rings, it was answered.

“Willy, that you? - It’s me, look, I’ve got it, all the info you want”

“Good, sure it’s right?”

“Oh yeah, I’m sure, I cross referenced and everything, all the dates fit”

“Good. Come to the club, I’ll see you by the fire doors. Come after five but before six o’clock, okay, ring me when you get here, and I’ll come down to you”

“Will do. You promise me I’ll get the exclusive scoop on this when it goes down?”

“Yeah, yeah, I promise – now remember after five but before six, the boss goes home for a shower then”

“Right – oh, and Willy…put a bottle of that decent Scotch aside for me, will you?”

Willy rolled his eyes and said in a bored voice,

“Yes” The line went dead. The man smiled to himself – this had been so easy in the end, and he’d get a nice exclusive banner headline story from it, and a bottle of Scotch!
chapter 24 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 24



“Sure I can’t tempt you to a nightcap?” Kay leaned in close, leering at her cleavage. Buffy pressed herself back hard against the sofa, but she gave a big smile and said,

“No, honestly, Kay, thankyou, but I said I’d go back with Larry and Andrew, we’re at the same hotel”

“Pity…ok then, nice meeting you!” He went to lean in for a kiss, but Buffy suddenly shifted like greased lightening, and was up and off the couch in a second.

“Larry…wait for me” Buffy trotted to the door that Larry held open for her.

“Thanks…I suppose I shouldn’t say this, but boy, he’s an old letch!

Larry smiled and agreed as they walked down the corridor to the dressing rooms.

“I know…so, gone for Chanel this time, then”

“What – oh you mean the dress, yes. I was going to wear a Valentino, but, you know”

“Save it for the awards, darling, you look fine!”

“Thankyou. Are you going back to the hotel – I could give you a lift”

“Would you, oh aren’t you the fairy-godmother, SHE’S got it into her head that she wants to go clubbing”

“She? - Sorry, who-“

“Andy”

“Oh, oh right. Clubbing?”

“Not in the strict sense of the word, petal. Knowing Her, it’ll be some grubby little drinking den–cum-pick-up joint! Mind you…aren’t they all these days?”

“Oh, I don’t know. There are good and bad clubs I suppose. Bit like people really.

“Well, if she wants to go, she’s welcome to it, me I’d rather raid the mini-bar and curl up with Jackie Collins latest”

“I see, good looking is he – Jackie Collins latest?” Buffy asked, grinning. Larry laughed

“Sharp as a tack, you are…oh god, here we go, the ‘whine’, as I call it, I bet you any money she’ll say, ‘You’re so old and boring, you NEVER want to do anything I do! I wonder why I put up with you’, you mark my words…” Larry said as they neared the dressing rooms. Andrew stood in the doorway

“There you are, at last! So, are you coming with me?” Andrew asked flouncing about the room

“No, I told you, I’m tired”

“You’re old before your time! And boring! You NEVER do anything I want to do. I don’t know why I put up with it, put up with YOU!” Andrew glared accusingly at his partner

Buffy stifled a giggle, then apologised.

“I’m sorry. But he said you’d say all that” Andrew glared at Buffy then back to Larry again, and crossed his arms, leaning on one hip, he turned his head away from them, batting his eyes and pouting.

“Look, don’t go off on one, I’m tired!” Larry said

“Off on one, off on one! And why are you so bloody tired then huh, tell me – what is it that YOU’VE done, that I haven’t to make you SO bloody tired, hmm? Well, I’m waiting?” Andrew had uncrossed his arms and stood there indignantly

He tapped his foot, and Buffy almost burst out laughing again, he looked so camp.

“Well, seeing as you asked, I’ll tell you then, shall I? Ok WHO decided that he wasn’t going to wear the Boateng jacket and wanted to wear the Jean-Paul Gaultier instead at the last minute, hmm? And who was the muggings who had to take it to the one-hour dry cleaners for you, AND hang around and pick it up, AND arrange the car to get here, AND- sort out the seats for London Fashion Week, I’ve booked flights, checked our passports are in date, because we don’t want the fiasco at the airport we had LAST time, do we, huh?” Larry counted off on the fingers of his hand. Andrew batted his eyes and sighed heavily.

“Once, I make ONE little mistake, my passport was out a teeny weeny bit out of date, and-“ Larry stood and shouted,

“Not the point, it was OUT OF DATE!”

“Alright, alright, you’ve made your point! I was busy too!” Andrew countered, leaning forward, hands on hips.

“Yeah! Relaxing, having a manicure and a FACIAL!”

Andrew sucked in his cheeks, rolled his eyes and looked everywhere except at Larry.

“AND another thing, what KIND of a facial were you having, THAT’S what I’d like to know. Don’t think I haven’t noticed how that Tarquin at the salon looks at you!” Larry said accusingly, and Andrew went beet red and flustered,

“I-I-I d-d-don’t know what you mean! And it’s Torquill, not Tarquin.”

“Is that your driver?” Larry turned to look at Buffy, who was still trying to work out what other kind of facial Larry could be on about.

“Sorry, wha- oh yeah, yes, that’s Clem. We can take Larry and Andrew back to the hotel, can’t we Clem?” Clem was standing in the doorway.

“Sure”

“Well I’m ready – are you coming?” Larry said gruffly to Andrew, and strode out of the room. Andrew just meekly nodded, and quickly trotted out after the others.

In the car Buffy sat in the front, and she glanced back, Larry had his arm around Andrew, who had his head on Larry’s chest. Larry whispered ‘ me too, baby’ and kissed Andrew’s forehead. Buffy smiled to herself.

“Did Deno ask you back to his for a nightcap?” Clem asked Buffy.

“He did, and I’ve never shifted so quick off a sofa in all my life!” Everyone smiled

“He’s much smaller than I imagined – I don’t know, I was expecting six foot or something!” Buffy said

“That’s why he stays behind his desk, on that little elevated platform – coz he’s a shrimp really!”

Buffy refused the offer of a nightcap in Larry and Andrew’s room when they got back to the hotel, Larry saying,

“You’re TOTALLY safe with us, you know!”

“I know, I’ve just had a long day – and I want to talk to Spike before I turn in”

“Ooh, Spike Carling from Aphrodite – he’s a dish!” Andrew said, grinning, then looked a little sheepishly at Larry, but he was smiling too.

“Isn’t he – well, night then, nice meeting you again!” Buffy said ‘goodnight’ to Clem, and went into her room.

************

“Come to the restaurant with me first, and then go home from there” Giles suggested.

“Sure you don’t mind?”

Giles leaned down over her and caught her mouth in a deep kiss

“It’ll be my pleasure”

“Um, rig-right – I will then thanks!” Anya’s stomach flipped and she caught a breath – what a guy! She was SO glad that she gave him another chance after the fiasco a couple of nights ago.

They were sitting in the kitchen, eating breakfast, and the phone rang, Giles picked it up.

“Rupert Giles………oh, um, hi…hi Jenny” Giles looked across at Anya, who had looked up sharply at the sound of Jenny’s name. Silently Anya stood and pointed upstairs diplomatically so Giles could take his call in private. He had other ideas and shook his head, holding his arm out to her. Anya hesitated at first, and then went over to him. Giles shifted the phone from his left ear to the right, so Anya would be able to hear what Jenny said.

“………so I’ll be back in three weeks, I was wondering, well, could we possibly meet up for a drink or something – coffee even, I’d like to talk to you” Giles looked down at Anya, who nodded.

“Well, yes, yes okay then, but I’m not promising anything Jenny, I don’t want to give you any false hopes”

“That’s okay, that’s fair. So, have you seen Anya?”
“Anya, um, yes, matter of fact, I have, last n-night. She came in at the very end of the evening with a few of her work friends, we were just locking up. They’d been doing a charity single, and fancied a drink, no where else was open, but I took pity on them”

“You be careful” Jenny warned. Giles smile/frowned, and Anya’s brows knitted with indignance.

“Careful – what about?”
“Anya, she’s, well, let me put it this way…I think she can be a very selfish person, she’s very self centred and ego-centric” Anya’s brows had shot up in surprise, and she mouthed,
‘The cheeky cow, ME selfish – that’s a laugh!’

“O-oh, oh, what makes you say that?” Giles was intrigued as to what made Jenny say this.

“Just what I’ve heard. She like’s to be the centre of attention, and she’s never anywhere that she can’t do herself some good either, she thrives on publicity, always at the places to be seen”

“But don’t we all do that – I mean, take me for example, I too thrive on publicity – it’s a must for the restaurant”

“All I’m saying is, just don’t let her use you. She’s like that” Giles frowned and thought he’d better cut short this phonecall before Anya finally burst and let the cat out of the bag that she was there.

“Um, oh golly, is that the time, I’m er, I’m sorry Jenny, I’ve got to go, my er, my driver is here – and I’ve got rehearsals this morning”

“Oh, right. Well, just think on what I said, okay, well bye then, see you in three weeks, bye”

“Erm yeah, right three weeks, bye then” Giles put the phone down

“Of all the cheeky, conniving, two-faced things to say! Well, that’s the last time she stays at MY place! I wish Consuela HAD clonked her one with the sweeping brush now!” Anya said, really annoyed

“I wonder what brought that on – did she say anything to you at all, before she left? – Does she suspect anything at all do you think?” Giles asked

“Well, to be quite truthful, I couldn’t give a shi-um -m- monkeys WHAT she thinks! And I was going to spare her feelings and not say anything about us, but if she rings me, then I shall bloody well tell her!” Anya folded her arms crossly.

“Um, Anya, you can’t, you’re not supposed to know about that phone call” Giles pointed out to her.

“Then I shall tell her you told me!”

“Anya…just-“

“What, oh don’t tell me, you’re going to say this was a mistake, and how you don’t want to- hmm…mmm mmmmmmm”

“There, does THAT convince you?” Anya was still holding onto the collar of his dressing robe after a toe-curler of a kiss.

“Uh huh”

“Don’t say ANYTHING to her, not yet, and when the time is right, we’ll tell her about us together, okay?”

“Okay”

“Now, I’m going to get dressed, you finish your breakfast, and be ready to go in about half an hour, okay?”

“Right. Giles”

“Hmm?”

“I’m sorry. I just thought that, well you know, now that we’ve sorted things out between us, I don’t want anything spoiling it”
Anya didn’t look at him until after she’d spoken.

“That’s okay, I don’t want anything to ruin things either” he smiled and then went upstairs, leaving Anya to wonder what bought on that bout of bitchiness from somebody whom she thought was a friend.


**********


“There, over there, under the window…left a bit, bit more…okay, great!” Charlie and Spike put the bookcase down. Xander stood back and grinned, did a complete 360-degree turn to survey the room, and said

“So, whaddya think? Looks brilliant doesn’t it!” Spike stood up and held his back, stretching.

“Yes mate, and anything else heavy, YOU can carry, those stairs and this bookcase have all but done me in!” He was smiling though.

“Um, I better go, if I’m gone too long, god alone knows what those two back at the studios will get up to in that basement without me there to supervise them!” Charlie said.

“Oh right, um, well here, here you are Charlie, give yourself and the two lads in maintenance a drink” Xander handed him a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label Scotch.

“Don’t be-“

“Go on, I insist, it’s the least I can do, you and the others made a great job of cleaning up the sofa’s for me and that. Right, you’ve given me the keys back, yes…(he patted his pocket) and here’s your cheque for the decorating, thankyou!” Charlie took the cheque for $250 and smiled

“Thankyou, well – must be off anything that needs doing, you know where to find me, bye then!”

Charlie left, leaving Spike and Xander standing in the lounge.

“Did you have any trouble getting your stuff from home?” Spike asked, sitting down on one of the sofas.

“No. I picked a time when they’d both be out, and I didn’t say anything to them. I just left them a note on the fridge door to say I’d moved out with my stuff, so they won’t think they’ve been burgled”

“Will they see it – the note?”

“Yeah, it’s where dad keeps his beer, and mom keeps the gin, they’ll see it” Xander sat opposite him.

“Have you told them this address?”

“WHAT – Are you mad?!!!” Xander asked incredulously. Spike smiled and said,

“Thought not” He yawned and stretched, leaned back against the sofa back.

“You’ll have to have a proper house-warming party, how about next week?”

“Yeah – you and Buffy, and Cordy and her man…Anya, Giles, oh that Ilyria, she’s ever so nice to talk to, bit scary looking with the blue hair, but I got talking to her when they were rehearsing the charity record the other day.”

“I know, Harmony was getting quite worried!”

“Was she, why?”

“Why do you think?” Spike rolled his eyes

“What? Oh…oh god! She didn’t think that…oh god!” Xander stated to chuckle. To think Harmony would get jealous…she hadn’t said anything to him, but she had been extra affectionate to him that evening…Xander sat there, grinning.

“I don’t even want to know what that grins for!” Spike sat up straight and smiled, and then looked at his watch, it was coming up to 1.30pm.

“Want a coffee or something?”

“Not for me mate, I’ve got to shoot off, I got a phonecall this morning from Lorne, Sweet wants to see me at 3.00pm at his house, god knows what it’s about”

“Do you think…well, could it be about, well, her do you think?”

“Her?”

“Dru”

Spike stood and shrugged.

“Don’t know if she’s back here or not, it’s only you that supposedly seen her - and if she is, why would he be telling me now – it’s none of my business. – I couldn’t give a monkeys either way”

Xander also stood.

“Right then, well mate, thanks for the bookcase and that – it looks great!”

“You’re welcome, all you need now is some books to put in it!”

“Ho! Don’t you worry about that! I’ve got my complete Star Wars collection and all my Sci-Fi books, Andromeda, Firefly, Farscape, and Star Trek stuff to go in it!”

Spike thought he best to make a quick exit, once Xander got started on his Sci-Fi subject, he didn’t know when to shut up………!

“Well mate, good luck to you, look, I’ll shoot off if you don’t mind, I’m not sure of the route to Sweet’s place from here, plus I want to go back to the office first – I take it you’ll be wanting to stay in and sort stuff out tonight, not come talent spotting with me?”

“No, I’ll come. Harmony’s doing something for a Christmas programme, so where shall I meet you?”

“I’ll come here, pick you up, coz I’m not sure how long I’ll be”

“Okie dokie then, see you later, bye”

**********
chapter 23 by Kings of Mercia
Note: Don’t worry about the rather subdued meeting; there WILL be fireworks soon…we promise!


Chapter 25


“Hi babe – how are you?”

“Tired now, and I can’t wait to see you tomorrow night, much I’ve missed you so much! Did you manage to book the table for Saturday?”

“Baby, tell me about it, bet I’ve missed you more! So, what table, kitten?”

“At the Four Seasons – don’t worry if you can’t, anywhere quiet will do, so we can be alone together”

“Sounds just the ticket. Now, don’t you fret, everything will be sorted”

“I know. Well, I managed to escape unscathed from Kay Deno. – Oh, and Larry and Andrew had a lovers tiff while I was there, it was so comical! For arguing, they are even worse than the kids - they soon made up though!”

Spike smiled and said,

“Good. Xander’s flat’s all finished, I helped him shift the last few bits and pieces in just.”

“Oh great! He’ll have to have a proper house-warming party!”

“That’s what I said – anyway Kitten, I can’t hang around, I’ve been summoned”

“Oh, where, and by whom?”

“To Sweet’s house. Lorne phoned me first thing this morning telling me his lordship wants to see me, so never mind what I’d got planned, never mind that there’s nobody in the office, I’ve just got to drop everything, and go”

“Oh, poor baby, what had you got planned, nothing important, I hope?”

“Well, truthfully, I hadn’t really got anything planned, just the daily grind to keep the wheels turning, you know. I was just going through the tapes of the new bands Xander and I have been talent spotting, seeing if there’s anything worth signing, it’s time-consuming, that’s all, but it needs to be done”

“Never mind – oh, Clem’s here, I’m going shopping, I’ll speak or text you later then babe”

“Okay sugar, you take care now, bye, love you”

“Bye babe, love you, I miss you”

“Miss you too, bye”

Spike thought the first thing he ought to do was to phone the Four Seasons…

“Hello, I’d like to book a table for Saturday night, I’m on the special list…yes, it’s William Carling-Blake from –“

“Aphrodite records, yes sir, that will be fine, for how many?”

“Two”

“Nine o’clock suit you?”

“Perfect, thankyou, so nine on Saturday for two, thankyou, bye-bye”

“Bye Mr Carling-Blake, we look forward to seeing you”

***************

“Sure you’ve checked the dates?”

“Sure I’m sure, see, they had a kid, Elizabeth Ann born on the-“

“BUT HER NAME’S BUFFY!” Willy said in exasperation, slamming the shot glass down on the bar.

The journalist grabbed the drink, downed it and pushed the glass back across to the spluttering barman.

“And again, fill her up. It’s a pet name, a, a nickname, for Elizabeth. The parents names fit, the kid’s birthday fits, I CHECKED!” Willy sighed and pushed the shot glass up against the Scotch optic.

“Give it here then…it better be right, I’m warning you!” Willy slid the drink over to the dishevelled guy in the crumpled suit in exchange for the piece of paper with the info on it.

“Just tell me when the show is on, I want to be there with Pavayne at the ready”

“Who’s he when he’s at home?”

“A Paparazzo - front page headline, Glory promised me, you said – now fill her up” he slammed the shot glass down, grimacing as the Scotch burned on the way down.

“Bloody hell…have you got hollow legs?”

“Just shut up and pour” Willy looked at the clock, it was twenty to six.

“Look, here, take this and piss off now will ya, I don’t want you here when the boss gets back” Willy handed the half empty bottle across to the guy

“Eh, charming – Oh, now just hold on, I said a BOTTLE!”

“It WAS a bottle, you must have had six doubles already you greedy sod, take what’s left- if this is good, I’ll be in touch”

The guy stood unsteadily, grabbing at the half full bottle of scotch, and lurched out, with a ‘see ya’.

Willy waited until he heard the slam of the fire-doors, and picked up the phone………

“Hi, s’me. You still in the market for info on Mr Summers…(he rolled his eyes) Buffy’s dad! Good, well where can we meet………no, you won’t come here at all, we’ve got to discuss a price………really, that right, okay then, but I swear, you’ll want me before I want you – bye!” Willy threw down the phone with confidence. Time was running out for Glory. She’d come running.

He was right for once; he DIDN’T have to wait long, all of ten minutes in fact, when the phone rang again………

“No! I’ll come to YOU for a change…and you better be on your own………well, come on, what’s your address? – I’m waiting………”

Silence greeted him, and he felt the anger well up inside him, and shouted,

“Okay, have it your own way, bye” He went to slam the phone down, but heard Glory shout.

“Yes? – Hold on, I’ll get a pencil…231, Kennedy Drive, Eastwood. Right. I’ll be there, around 1am ………………what? - I can’t, I’m working until midnight. Yes, it’s good info, bye, oh, and feel free to, you know, slip into something …more comfortable”

He winced as the phone was slammed down on him, but he still grinned. Now, all he had to do was to make up another bottle of watered down grog to replace the bottle of Scotch laddo had…


***********


Spike slowed as he drove up through the tree-lined lane towards the gates of Sweet’s mansion.

He knew he’d be watched by the CCTV cameras, and as he approached, slowly as if by magic the electric gates silently parted and opened inward, allowing him to drive through. The gravel crunched under the tyres as he pulled up with a flourish outside the huge entrance, complete with Corinth style columns and massive double doors. He got out of his car, and out of habit, he locked up, smartened his jacket, ran a hand through his hair and then ran up the entrance steps, pressed the front door bell. The door opened with a click, still there was nobody there.
The inner security door was still locked, and Spike pressed the bell and said into the intercom,

“It’s Spike” The inner doors clicked open too, and he went in. He could hear music playing, and shrieks of laughter.
Through the intercom speaker Spike heard Lorne say to him,

“I’ll be with you in just a minute, Spike”
He stood and waited, looking at the various prints on the walls and then he suddenly realised, that the one he was looking at, a Picasso, wasn’t a print, it was the real McCoy!

Lorne’s metallic voice crackled into life through the intercom again and he said,

“Go through to the lounge, Spike, we’ll be with you shortly” Lorne had hoped to tell Spike that Dru was there, but Sweet was already in the office so he couldn’t, he just hoped that Spike would be okay with it, as he and Sweet had argued that morning over the manner of which the meeting was taking place.

Spike rolled his eyes, and as he’d been there hundreds of times before, he walked down the corridor until he came to the lounge door.

It was where the music and laughing was coming from, although the music had now stopped.


Spike entered the lounge and turned and closed the door carefully. Before he had a chance to look up, he found himself in a tight embrace from a woman whom, gripped him tightly, even encompassing his arms so he couldn’t move.

“SPIKE! – Oh god, how are you – let me look at you!” Dru positively beamed at him. Spike was totally taken by surprise, it was all he could do to step back slightly.

“OH Bloody – um, D-Dru – oh, erm –“

“You look WONDERFUL! Doesn’t he Cec? – God, its SO GOOD to SEE you again!” Dru was so excited, her chest heaved, and she babbled, briefly looking at her friend and then back to Spike. Cecily could see that the feeling so obviously wasn’t mutual, and frowned uneasily, biting her bottom lip. She turned off the CD player and looked at them both. Dru babbled,

“I’d been meaning to phone you, let you know I was back, but, well – “ Dru said breathlessly, before continuing on,

“You know how it is, one thing or another, jet lag, getting settled in, acclimatizing, generally sorting myself out!” She giggled, heaving through excitement for breath, and then continued,

“Oh god, where are my manners, come in and sit down! We have SO much to catch-“ Dru tried to lead him to one of the sofa’s, but Spike resisted and said,

“Hmm, actually Dru, I won’t thankyou. I’m here to see Sweet, I’ve got a meeting with him at three o’clock, and then I’ve got to shoot off, I’m afraid”

Spike hardly looked at her, he fiddled with the keyring on his car-keys, and looked at his feet. He was relieved that he felt nothing really, only perhaps a little shock at her almost emaciated state, but he knew he was well over her now.

Spike’s lack of enthusiasm did nothing to quench hers, and Dru laughed and in a bright, loud tone she said,

“Course you have! Always busy – So! How have you been? – You look amazingly well, all fit and tanned – AND you SO have been working out – just look at those biceps Cec! Quite the muscle man now!”

She went to squeeze his arm, but Spike moved slightly and was relieved to see Lorne coming towards him.

“Spike, Sweet will see you now” Lorne had stopped outside the office and opened the door to allow Spike inside first.

“Right! Um, well bye then!” Spike quickly strode towards the office door, leaving Dru to turn beaming at him still and watching until he was out of sight. Then she dashed over and grabbed Cecily

“OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD! DID YOU SEE HIM!” her voice rising with every syllable.

“Dru, calm down! Ow, that hurts, will you please stop grabbing my arm!”

“Oh, never mind your arm – did you SEE him – he looks SO WONDER - FUL! Fan-TASTIC even – oh Cec! This is going to be SO brilliant!”

“What is?”

“THIS IS – god – I’ve just thought, where’s Lorney – I must ask him if Spike is invited to –“ She was about to hare off towards the office when Cecily stepped in front of her, and stayed her shoulders.

“Dru, no! Look, Lorne’s in a meeting with Daddy and Spike so you can’t go in,” (she dropped her voice to little more than a whisper)
“And the party is supposed to be a surprise, remember? ” Cecily then dropped her arms from Dru’s shoulders, frowned and rubbed her own one where Dru had kept on grabbing her.

“Oh yes, well, never mind that now – I should imagine that working there he’s invited to the party, don’t you – anyway, I can always ask Lorney to ask him if he’s not – this is going to be SO BRILLIANT! I’m SO glad I came back! It’s fate, it’s what I came here for!”

“What is, Dru, will you calm down and try and think ration-“

“Calm down? Calm down? Cec, – You’re the one who’s always telling me I’ve no life in me! Now I feel alive again, and everything is going to be just WONDERFUL!”
Dru spread her arms and twirled around, giggling and waltzing around the room dreamily. She bumped into one of the Chesterfield sofas, and collapsed on it giggling, and then she sat up alert.

“What day is it – what time is it – come on, lets go shopping, I want to go and buy something special to wear for the party!

She jumped up and ran to the doorway.

“Shopping, come ON, NOW! I want a blue dress! – He used to love me in blue – NO – no, I’ve just thought, not blue, red! Yes. A red dress…his favourite colour!”

“Dru!” Cecily whined frowning. Dru’s smile dropped and she too frowned,

“What?”

“Calm down, that’s all. I don’t want to upset you, but I don’t think that -“

“I don’t want you to think!” Dru said and bobbed her knees, then she grinned.

“Just, just take it easy, calm yourself, don’t get so over-excited!” Cecily warned

“Then shut up and come ON!” Dru not wanting to listen any more ran and grabbed Cecily’s arm and began dragging her towards the stairs.

“I’ll need shoes too, and some pretty underwear! – I’ve got that credit card Daddy’s given me, and we can go and have some tea at the food court! Come on!”

Cecily heaved a sigh and decided to just go with it. She hadn’t seen Dru this fired up for years, and for once, she looked so happy. So who was she to burst her friend’s bubble, huh?


*******

“Come in Spike, sit down” Lorne studied Spike’s face, but he was a cool character, and was giving nothing away if he was shocked or upset at seeing Dru again.

“I expect you’re wondering why I called you here” Sweet said, with his lopsided leer of a smile.

“Well, I did wonder, seeing as it’s Xander’s day off, and Cordelia is still on holiday, the office is a bit chaotic as it is, without me being out too”

Sweet flashed Lorne an annoyed look, he didn’t know this, and wouldn’t have called Spike over if he’d known the office was so understaffed.


“Okay, you want me to get straight to the point, so I will. Thing is, it’s the amount of artistes in our stable, we really need to up the numbers” Sweet said.
Spike frowned and wondered why this couldn’t have waited until the next monthly meeting, or perhaps Sweet did have an ulterior motive into bringing him here? - Well Spike thought, Sweet wouldn’t be able to read anything in his behaviour or demeanour over seeing Dru again, because he didn’t feel anything – no reaction to see.

“It’s something Xander and I are already working on, I was listening to tapes of new band’s stuff – can be boring, but it needs doing. We’ve been out the last three nights and will be out tonight too.”

“Good. Good, we need another boy band at least – The Sharks, even though we got rid of the lead singer, they’re still arguing between themselves. If they don’t bring out a decent single in the next two months, sack them. And we need a girl band too.”

“Yes, I know” Spike said coolly, then he continued,

“I’ve got several auditions lined up, and I’ve put a talent contest ad in Music! Music! magazine”

“Good! Well, I see you have it all in hand! I um, I also called you in because I want you to do something for me, and it’s a bit delicate. I’ve heard on the grapevine that the singer Jesse Simone is unhappy at Midnight Music; I’d like you to negotiate the closure of her contract with them, and sign her to us. I’m asking you now, because it’s debatable if I’ll be here for the next monthly meeting…” Sweet lied

Spike just nodded, not believing Sweet for a second, because it had been known before now that Sweet had flown in from the Caribbean to be at a monthly meeting, it’s how he kept his finger on the pulse, so to speak.

“Well, we need half a dozen bands at least, and a couple of singers, another couple of male singers, and at least one more female, how’s that Betty getting on?”

Both Lorne and Spike said

“Buffy” together, correcting him.

“Buffy” Sweet said without acknowledging he’d made a mistake.

“She’s in Northern California at the moment, and she’s still number one”

“Excellent, excellent, right, well, I’ll leave you to get on with what I pay you to do then!” Sweet stood and held out his hand. Spike stood and shook the proffered hand, resisting the temptation to wipe his hand on his trouser leg; Sweet’s handshake had been warm, damp and sweaty.

Lorne had come out of the office to see Spike out, and on his way back, he saw Dru looking full of the joys pulling Cecily downstairs, and babbling about shopping. Well, perhaps Sweet was right, Dru certainly looked happy enough, and Spike didn’t say a thing about Dru being back there, so all these misgivings he was feeling began to fade. The one thing Lorne did know though was, Dru wasn’t mentally strong as Sweet liked to think, she was definitely fragile, she still had the manic look in her eyes, even when she was bubbly and happy.

They had disagreed that morning, Lorne and Sweet, on how to go about things. Lorne thought it a little, well, cruel for want of a better word to let Spike know that Dru was back the way Sweet wanted to do it, just to let him see her in the lounge.
Lorne had suggested Sweet tell Spike she was back, and have the option whether to meet her or not.

“He’s a grown man, they were over years ago!” Sweet said irritably.

“Yes, but! They were together for years, and it ended badly – don’t you remember all that business on the roof?” Lorne had asked. Sweet snapped back,

“Course I remember the bloody roof, it was MY roof! I haven’t got TIME for all this, this molly coddling and messing about!”


“Well, if not for Spike, do it for Dru’s sake, she still very fragile mentally, and-“ Lorne had reasoned, but Sweet again cut him short.

“Dru’s fine. She needs for people to stop treating her like she was some sort of china doll. She’s tougher than you think. All I want is for Spike to sort this contract out, and sign a few more bands.
He might have already seen Dru anyway – I’m NOT pussy-footing around, I want things done, and done today, so get him on the phone, get him here this afternoon, three o’clock, and if Dru is here, than she’s here – I can’t help that”

Lorne had opened his mouth to speak, but Sweet held his hand up, eyes closed and head turned away from him and added to mark the conversation’s finality,

“– And that’s the end of the matter – now go!” Sweet had dismissed Lorne with a shoo-ing motion of the hand, and Lorne had left the office. He toyed with his conscience, and called Dru, and their conversation had gone like this………


“Hello, Lorney!”

“Hi sugar, look cup-cake, (he held her hand gently) we might be having a visitor this afternoon ok, and I don’t want you to get upset if you see him”

“Who is – oh! Is it SPIKE!”

”SHUSH (he looked towards the office, then back at Dru) Quiet pet, don’t let Daddy know I’ve told you, ok? We don’t want to upset him now do we – Our little secret. Will you be okay?” Dru was wild-eyed and grinning.

“Oh yes! I’ve been wanting and wanting to see him!”

“You have? Okay then pet, just…well, be careful” Lorne patted her hand, and Dru beamed at him

“Yes!”

“Remember, don’t-“

“I know, don’t tell Daddy you told me!”

“Good girl”

Dru practically skipped off, she looked so happy, and Lorne could already feel the stir of the misgivings he was feeling, and hoped that everything would be all right later on that afternoon when Spike turned up……...

**********
chapter 26 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 26

“Well put it this way, if they made a CD, would you buy it?” Spike asked, Xander thought for a minute, then nodded.

“Yeah…yeah I probably would, as long as they did some original stuff, and not just all cover-versions”

“That’s what I thought, okay, put Roman Holiday in the yes pile”

Xander did as he was told, and put the slip of paper with the groups name on it in the pile marked ‘YES’.

“Okay, who’s next…group called Nimrod…four piece band, girl lead singer…” They listened to the opening few bars of the song up until the chorus, and knew they’d heard enough, Spike stopped the tape.

“She’s ok, could do with some singing lessons to strengthen her voice, but the group are crap. The bass is too strong, the drummer miss-times and the lead has a flat string – so no, what do you say?”

“I agree no, so I’ll put them in there…” Xander put the groups name on top of the bigger ‘NO’ pile.

“How many more have we got to do?” Spike asked, and Xander counted the tapes.

“Nine”

“Right, that should just leave me enough time to nip home and have a bath, then get back here to meet Buffy and take her home. Who’s next?”

“Here, try this one, I remember these, I liked the song they did”

“Who are they?”

“Band called Mellow”


At four thirty, Spike left the studios for home, Buffy was due back at six, as long as all was well with the traffic.

Spike had had a busy day, in the morning he’d gone over to the legal department, and then went over to Midnight Music, and had been shocked to see Quentin Travers looking dreadful – he looked so ill, his skin pallor greyish, and looking a lot older than his years.

“I shall let her go with out a fight, Mr Carling-Blake. Jesse Simone has been with me for years, and I know she is no longer happy here but, as you can probably see for yourself, I’m not a well man. I do not need the stress in my life, and-“ there was a knock at the door, and a woman wheeled in a trolley.

“Coffee as requested, and here is Miss Simone’s contract”

“This is my daughter, Lydia, Lydia, this is Mr Carling-Blake, the only honourable man at Aphrodite records”

Spike smiled and shook her hand, and said,

“Well, I would say there are a few of us honourable ones there, and call me Spike”

“I do not like Cornelius Sweetly’s motives or methods, never have, never will. Can I ask you a favour, Spike?” Travers asked. Spike put down his coffee cup, sat back and said,

“Sure – ask away”

“Please do not tell him I’m ill. I begrudge even the slightest of pleasures to that man, and for him to know that I’m, how shall we put it, not in the rudest of health would give him endless glee”

“Oh steady on, I don’t think that-“

“Neither do I think that, Spike. I know. You don’t know the full story, our history of bad blood, do you?”

“I only know that you two seem to have had rival stables for all these years”

“It goes way beyond artistes and hits, Spike. When I was nineteen, I was engaged to be married to a beautiful girl, we were inseparable, a whirlwind courtship, and after just one week together we got engaged. Four months later, six days before we were due to get married, I………” Travers faltered, and coughed, immediately Lydia went around and put an arm around her father’s shoulders to comfort him.

“We were in St Moritz, skiing, me and my fiancé, Mimi. We were with a group of friends, including Cornelius Sweetly and his then girlfriend, the singer Clio, film star Michel Bolivar, the racing driver Gustav Schmidt, and his skiing champion brother Otto. There had always been friendly rivalry between me and Otto, and we had a bet about skiing down a black-run. So we left the party, to go and ski.

While we were on the black-run there was an avalanche on the other piste, where our party was waiting for us, and everybody was killed, except Cornelius. Michel was pulled out alive, but he died later in hospital. Sweet always blamed me. Said if it hadn’t been for my stupid wager, then………” Travers heaved a sigh, then continued,

“Mimi, well, she wasn’t only my fiancé, she…she was Sweet’s sister, and he’s never forgiven me. He said that if Otto Schmidt had been with them when the avalanche struck, then there was every chance that they’d all have been saved, Otto always wore a locator see. It wasn’t compulsory in those days like it is now, and being a professional, he always wore one…”

Spike had often wondered why there was such an intense dislike of Quentin Travers by Sweet, but he never dreamed of anything like what Travers had just told him.

“So you see, just let him ‘point score’ off me, if he wants to think that I caved in over Miss Simone, I’m past caring. Just pay me off for the rest of her contract, and I can semi-retire to my yacht in the South of France”

Spike nodded, wrote a cheque and handed it to Travers, for a $100,000 more than he asked for. Spike winked and said,

“You drive a hard bargain, Mr Travers” Travers looked up quite shocked and then he smiled, handing over Jesse Simone’s contract.

“Okay, Sweet lost a sister, but she was your sweetheart too, and think of it as a little compensation for all the times he’s twisted you in the past”

“You’ll go far, young man.” Travers shook hands with Spike, and it was only then that Spike noticed that he was in a wheelchair, as Lydia took off the handbrake and wheeled her father through the door.

Spike had been authorised by Sweet to go up to $50.000 above the contract price, and although he’d given Travers double that, he knew he was still getting a bargain. Jesse Simone had a HUGE following – she would more than pay her way at Aphrodite, with just one single………


**********


Spike pulled up on the parking lot of Aphrodite records, and got out of his car. He’d debated whether to phone Sweet at home first, or to just leave the contract in his office.

He chose the second option, and checked the time, 6.10pm, Buffy would be here any minute with any luck. The office part of the building was practically empty, only a couple of lights burned and downstairs he knew there would be bands hard at it recording into the night.

*********

One office light that was burning, was Glory’s, she was hatching her wicked plan to totally embarrass and ruin Buffy on live TV.

Glory had to work quickly now, as she knew that the unlimited access she’d had to Cordelia’s computer while she’d been away on holiday would be at an end after tonight and she wanted to ‘book’ Buffy onto her new show without negotiation or consultation from Spike or anybody else. She had Buffy’s diary schedule open, and she booked the evening for ‘Amongst Friends’, her new show

The information from Willy on Buffy’s father had been good, and she’d left Hank Summers a message to contact her, with the promise of luxury hotel accommodation and a guaranteed meeting with his daughter, but in the meantime, if he did speak to Buffy, Glory asked him to say nothing and keep it as a surprise.

Now Buffy was booked and scheduled for the show, they couldn’t alter it, not for a live show, it would be too expensive. That’s what Glory would privately tell Sweet anyway, she had ‘surprise’ guests flown in especially, and the cost of the flights and hotels - and he’d back her up. He might be a very rich man, but he hated waste – so Buffy would have to do as she was told and just go along with it, if Sweet said…

********

As he trotted down the stairs from leaving the contract in Sweet’s office, Spike caught sight of Clem pulling onto the parking lot. He smiled and raced on down the stairs, exiting by the double-doors, and striding over the lot to where they were parked. Buffy was out of the car and into Spike’s arms in a trice, kissing him with passion. Clem grinned as he began to haul the luggage out of the trunk of his car and onto the ground.

“God I missed you!” Spike smiled and held her close.

“Missed you too Kitten, Oh, it’s so good to have you back!” They kissed again, and then Spike said,

“Come on then Kitten, lets get this stuff transferred into my car, get you home, and then Clem can get off home too”

As Buffy had been shopping while she was there, there was more luggage than she went with, but with a squeeze, they managed to fit it all into Spike’s sports car.

“Is Willow in?” Spike asked

“Not usually on a Friday night, Oz and his band have a regular set at the students union bar in Merrydale – we should have the place completely to ourselves!” Buffy gave him a wicked grin and leant her head on his arm. Spike pulled up outside her house, and they quickly went inside.

***********


“Pookie…pizza’s here, can you pay him, the money’s on the side” Harmony called down to Xander.

“’Kay” He opened the door, and the delivery guy was just walking up the path. Xander paid him $20 for the $17 meal, and told him to keep the change.

Harmony came downstairs with a towel wrapped turban style around her head.

“Do you want a plate?” Xander asked her, poised in the kitchen doorway

“Nah, tastes better out of the box. So come on, you were going to tell me what Spike said”

Xander came and sat by Harmony on the sofa. She’d already opened the pizza box, and he opened two little cartons of dip for the crusts.

“Well, he got there and all that, have you ever been to Sweet’s house?”
Harmony was just taking a bite of pizza and shook her head no.

“Well, it’s all huge big columns and electrified security doors and that, so anyway, Spike rings the bell, and the door opens automatically, then there’s the inner security door –“

“God, like trying to get into Fort Knox! – It’s not as if he’s president, is it?”

“No, but, well, he collects art don’t forget, Spike said in his entrance hall alone, he has a Picasso, and a Matisse and two Toulouse-Lautrec’s! – So, where was I………Oh yes, so then over the intercom Lorne tells him to go to the lounge and so he does, and guess who’s in there?”

“Drusilla – oh my god, how – how, well that was awful! Do you think Sweet did that on purpose?” Harmony asked frowning and picking the pepperoni off her pizza.

Xander shrugged and said,

“Don’t know, probably. Spike said she looked thin – she sort of threw herself at him as soon as he got through the door, took him well by surprise.”

“Threw herself at him, why?”

“In a hug – she was all over him like a rash, Spike said he just stepped back, kept his cool.”

“So he doesn’t feel anything for her anymore then?”

“No. He just wants her to keep well away from him”

“Oh god, what if, well what if she see’s him with Buffy at this party of Sweet’s?”

“What if she does – she’s got to realise that it’s well over, he’s moved on, you know yourself, the last eighteen months she was here last time, she and Spike weren’t really together, together, together as in couple to together. She was mostly with Sweet and that um, what was her name? That other English girl…I forget now, anyway, then there was that roof business, d’you remember that?”

Harmony nodded,

“Oh god yeah! That was when I’d just released the ‘Sunshine Song’, I was coming to the studios, the next thing I know, the car’s stopped by the police before we’ve even got on the parking lot, and we’re told that there was a ‘situation.’ Remember that funny little security man here at the time…oh god, what was his name now…he used to think he looked like Clarke Gable”

“Oh yeah, I remember him, oh god, you’ve got me at it now um………Sean – Stewart - Steve?”

“Stan! That’s it! Stan-the-Man we used to call him, it was him that told us somebody was threatening to jump off the roof…I remember his exact words,

“’That bloody ‘Looney Tunes’ girlfriend of the gaffer’s is threatening to throw herself off the roof, silly cow!’ – That‘s what he said. I think he was annoyed because he couldn’t go home! - So, do you reckon she’s all better now?”

“I hope so!”

“Hey, what if………no, s’ok” Harmony shook her head and resumed picking off the toppings on her pizza.

“Go on, what if what?”

“Well, what if she sees Spike with Buffy at Sweet’s party, and threatens to jump off the boat thing that it’s been held on?”

“Then I just hope that there’s lifesaver ring or she’s a strong swimmer that’s all, coz I’m not doing any heroics to save her, and neither will Spike. Anyway pet, enough about her…wanna come to my place tomorrow night?”

Harmony looked big-eyed and she grinned

“YOUR PLACE! – Oh Pookie! Yes! I was beginning to think, well never mind! Oh that’s brilliant!”

Xander grinned and said,

“It’s nothing special, pet, but I think the smell of paint’s gone now, and well, it’s about time you saw it!”

“Oh baby! You were worried about the smell of paint hurting my throat – aren’t you SO considerate, come here………” Harmony put her pizza down and sat in his lap and began kissing him.

Xander was delighted! - He felt a bit of a fraud, but well…Harmony was happy enough now…and oh god, talking of ‘happy’………


**********

“There, all booked, ‘Little Miss Smart-Mouth’………All booked and ready to see if that smart mouth lets you down in front of a live audience!” Glory closed down Cordelia’s computer with a grin, and she stood up. The grin soon faded when she remembered whom she had to see at one o’clock in the morning, but there was somebody else she wanted to see first, a dealer known only as ‘Candyman’.

It was quick, easy and simple to do a deal with the Candyman, you phoned him, placed your order, he only ever dealt with people he knew, so he’d know your car. You’d have the money already taped to the passenger door handle, and drive down the alleyway, with your window down, he’d whip the money off the handle and drop the drugs on the passenger seat and you could be off, few seconds and you could be gone.
Glory took out her mobile as she made her way down stairs out of the studio and walked to her car on the lot.

“Candyman, it’s Glory B…I want something a bit special…I want some Rohypnol, you know, Roofies”

“The date-rape stuff? yeah, I can get it. One hour $50 each tab”

“Get me two” She ended the call with a smile, she then made another call, to her old ‘dresser’ who worked with her when she did some modelling.

“Alphonse? It’s Glory, how are you, you ‘Old Queen’!”

This is how they used to speak to each other, he’d call her ‘Bitch Queen’ or, ‘Oi you, scrubber’ or ‘The Cat’ and she used to call him a ‘puff’ or a ‘queer’, it was just their way, and used to laugh about it, seeing the shock on other people’s faces at the total non political-correctness of it all.

“I’m having a party”

“When?”

“Tonight, my place?”

“Blimey you silly cow, give a girl some notice to work out her outfit why don’t you!” Alphonse groused

“Just shut up you queer and listen, there will only be you and me there at first”

“What – oh, want a girlie chat, do you?”

“Not exactly, no. Now listen, fuck knows why, but then each to their own I suppose. Remember that little barman Willy you had the hots for, but he wasn’t bent like you, so you just had to go home and wank yourself stupid over him every night?”

“Oh god, DO I! I remember…oh don’t tell me, he’s finally ‘converted!” She could hear Alphonse was practically salivating

“No, not exactly, but I think I’ve got something to persuade him to come round to your way of thinking …well I will have, in an hour or so, listen, be ready in an hour and a half, I’ll come pick you up, okay?”

“Ready willing and able – I’ve got one or two new ‘toys’ I want to try out! I knew I liked you really, you bitch!”

“Yeah well, love you too, fucking queer you are, see you later!” She was grinning when she ended the call.

***********

“Can I make you some tea or something pet?” Spike asked.

“Sod the tea, come here, god I missed you” Buffy cuddled Spike up. Spike’s voice all deep and rumbly in her ear whispered

“Missed you too – oh god, that’s so good baby!” Buffy felt her nipples go hard, and she ground her pelvis towards Spike’s feeling him harden with desire. She bit his neck and then his earlobe, whispering,

“Want you SO much”

She could tell Spike was smiling when he said,

“What, right here, right now – what if Willow comes back early, don’t you think she’d be a little traumatised to catch us at it like a couple of randy bunnies on the kitchen counter - breakfast would never be the same again!”

Buffy smiled and rolled her eyes; well, he did have a point, she supposed.

“Come on then, just leave every thing for now, I’ll sort it later” Buffy grabbed his hand and led him upstairs, where they shed their clothes on the way again, dropping most of them in a puddle in her bedroom doorway.

Spike kissed his way down her throat and roved between her breasts, kissing, teasing her nipples making her gasp and writhe, she begged him,

“Baby, please, need you now, so much!” her hips rocked and Spike lay over her, taking his weight on his forearm and one knee, he lined himself up to her glistening pink sex, and began to push home. Buffy arched her back as he slid inside her, she couldn’t breathe properly, she felt his hot breath on her face and managed to open her rolling eyes and kiss him.

Spike knew that good as she felt, and no matter how long he’d actually like to last, it wasn’t going to happen, not this time. Thrusting hard and deep she felt so tight and hot, squeezing him so deliciously, it just felt too good – and they’d both waited four days for this.

He upped the pace a little, and Buffy knew he wouldn’t last, he felt so big and hard, her thighs quivered as she slammed her hips up in time with his deep pushes sending him so deep, she was heading for the mother of all orgasms…

“Oh…god…Sp-Spike! Don’t…don’t stop baby, don’t stop – oh yes, I’m, oh, hard as you like – oh, oh, ooohh, OOOOOHHHHH YYEEESSSSS!”

Hips churning, Spike thrust up one last time as her tight inner walls clenched tight and milked him and he too joined her in total ecstasy, crying out his joy along with her, eventually collapsing on her for a few seconds. They were both heaving for breath, Buffy smiled, eyes closed, she ran a hand back through her hair.

“I really missed you baby!”

It was only then that they heard noises downstairs.

Spike moved off her carefully, and Buffy got up, scooped their clothes up from the doorway and threw them on to the bed. She put her head around the door and called out,

“That you Willow………Willow?”

“Yes?”

“Oh, it’s alright, just checking it was you!”

“I did shout, but I don’t think you heard me!” Willow replied.

Buffy could tell her friend was smiling as she said it, and she coloured up.

“Be down soon”

“’Kay”

Buffy turned to look at Spike lying in bed.

“You know Kitten, I think it’s about time we started going to my place, no interruptions there!”

He sat up, and Buffy knelt and crawled up the bed towards him, and kissed him, Spike lay back down, bringing Buffy with him. The urgency of their first lovemaking had gone, but the want and need for each other was still very much there for the both of them.

Lying in Spike’s arms Buffy said,

“I need to unpack and do some washing!”

“What you need pet, is to come back to my place with me now, so I can make sweet love to you all night!” Spike said, kissing her forehead. Buffy grinned and whispered,

“Well putting it like that, what are we lying here for then – come on, lets go!”

**********
chapter 27 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 27


“Just don’t come out until I fetch you, okay?” Glory shut the bedroom door, and went and opened her front door, to be greeted by an over-powering smell of cheap aftershave, trying to out-do the smell of sour beer and cigarette smoke and the weasely little Willy himself.

Willy’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. She was wearing a long silk negligee, with matching peignoir, in midnight blue, showing off rather a lot of cleavage.

“Come in…” she left him at the door and walked on ahead. Willy was still reeling. He’d phoned earlier to make sure she wasn’t going to twist him and be out, and now, here he was, humble little barman Willy, in Glory Benson’s house!


“Oi, hello, I said, drink?” She held up a bottle

“Hmm, what – oh um, oh no, no thanks, don’t want to……… you know” Willy had just righted his head from checking out her ass and sexy swaying hips.

Glory frowned and turned to her cocktail cabinet. There was a bottle of champagne in an ice bucket all ready by the couch, but she needed a strong drink and poured herself a large brandy.

“No, I don’t know, tell me” Turning to face him, she sipped the dark liquid.

“Well…spoil my –p-per-performance” Willy said. Glory closed her eyes and shuddered.

“Do you have to - um, we can have some champers then later – come and sit down!”
She HAD to get him to drink something to administer the drug. Glory draped herself on the couch, She leant forward and found herself eye level with his groin, as he hadn’t sat down yet, she went wide-eyed and nearly gagged, he was already hard, and there was a tiny circle of wet at the tip that had seeped out onto his pants. She quickly took a cigarette out of a carved wooden box, and offered Willy one, without looking up at him. She knew he could see down her cleavage from where he was standing; and if she looked up and he was drooling, he’d be out the door, she just couldn’t stand it.

“Marlboro, before you ask” Willy declined and she lit one with an onyx table lighter and sat back, giving him a great view of her bust.

“You’ve got lovely tits, Glory! Well! Who’d believe this then eh? Old Willy, here in – ahh!”

“Breathe a word of this, and I’ll kill you myself!” Glory had grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, and then pushed him back letting him go. She took a drag of the cigarette, tipped her head back and exhaled the smoke, then with a smile she said,

“Although, who’d believe you if you DID boast…boast away little man, everyone will think you’re lying!” Sparks flew off the end of the cigarette as she laughed.

“You better be nice to me! And you’ll see, you’ll be screaming my name before the nights out!” Willy said indignantly. Glory smiled and gathered all her courage together; enough to shift and sit close to him and rest her hand on his shoulder. She had intended to run her fingers through his hair, but the lord alone knew what was on it, it looked, well greasy to say the least…

“Look, lets just be nice to each other, hmm? Put it down to nerves, getting off on the wrong foot.” Glory said.
Willy was shaking, and sitting up the way he was, was totally strangulating his cock, and he needed to move quickly.

He pulled Glory towards him and tried to kiss her, but she managed to turn her head slightly at the last second, so he kissed her ear.

“You smell lovely! Come on then, give us a kiss!” Glory pulled away, and Willy frowned, he was just about to get annoyed when Glory stood, picked up the ice bucket with the champagne and said to him,

“Bring those two glasses, and follow me, we might as well be comfortable from the ‘off’ ” Willy’s frown turned to a grin, and he did as she said, trotting after her. She switched on the bedside lamps, and there was some soft music playing.
Willy put the glasses down, kicked off his shoes and began to undo his shirt.

“Hey, hold on…give a girl something to do, why don’t you!” Glory quickly stopped him undoing his shirt, and tried to look sexily at him. – The LAST thing she wanted to see was Willy half naked.

“Wha-what? – Oh! Oh you mean YOU want to take it off me, right!” Willy grinned and sat on the bed. He wasn’t used to all this seduction, every time Willy had been with a woman before, it had been strictly no kissing, and getting himself undressed…with cash up front!

Glory poured out two glasses of champagne, slipping the Rohypnol into one of the glasses of the bubbling amber liquid. It fizzed a little, and then dispersed.

“One glass won’t hurt you, it’ll help you to relax a little…I can tell you are tense!” She knelt on the bed and grabbed Willy by the shoulders from behind, massaging them. She was biting her lip, reminding herself this was as far as it was going to go with her…

“Ooooohhhhh god…that’s SO good!” Willy groaned, and Glory grimaced as she continued. She grabbed her glass of champagne and downed it, and then with sugary tones, she bent her head close to his, holding the doctored glass of drink out to him, and said in a low voice,

“Here you go, baby…enjoy…” Willy grabbed the glass and downed it in one.
“My, my – and I thought you didn’t want a drink!” She hoped she sounded suitably impressed.

“Come here you, no more delaying tactics!” Willy grabbed her roughly by the arms.

“Ow, hey, no rough stuff…well, at least, not until I’m FULLY aroused that is!”
Willy grinned – So, there was a chance he’d get to well, get his own back a little, huh…give her ass a slap, just to let her know, he was the boss like, you know…

Glory ‘fixed’ Willy with a sexy through-the-lashes look, running her tongue along her top lip. She stood and slowly let the peignoir slip from her shoulders and pool at her feet. Willy sat there, transfixed, his eyelids began to flutter, and his eyes roll. Glory gently pushed him back on the bed.

“That’s it…you relax now…relax and we’ll have some fun…there…there you go”

Willy fought to keep his eyes open; he scrabbled for the zip on his fly, Glory’s voice washed over him like a warm echoing wind, it seemed to be getting further away, then he made a concerted effort to wake up, and got an eyeful of her breasts as she leant over him. He tried to lift his hand to them, and then – oblivion. Glory quickly sat back on her haunches and looked at the hapless little weasel.

“Willy…Willy…” She slapped his face for good measure, but he was out cold. She got up off the bed, and went to her wardrobe and took out her video camera and tripod, set it up. She slipped her peignoir back on then went to her bedroom and opened the door.
“Come on then Alphonse, he’s all ready

The gay guy threw aside the magazine he’d been reading with a grin, and bounded out of the room, bringing his ‘bag of delights’ with him.

“He’s all yours…I’ve set the camera, remember to wear the eye mask if you don’t want to be recognised – and that’s it – no holds or holes barred! She laughed at her own joke as she shut the door on the pair of them. Now she was going to have a long hot soak to wash away the memory of that little creep and his wandering eyes…

Leaning forward to have another hot top-up, Glory could just about hear the animalistic noises coming from her spare bedroom. She smiled and turned up the music and picked up her glass of champagne, popped a chocolate into her mouth and relaxed back, letting the hot bubbly bath-water wash over her. The candles flickered in the steam, and Glory closed her eyes. Nobody got the better of Glory Benson. Nobody………

************

Buffy squirted some perfume on her pulse points and looking into the mirror, checked her hair and lipstick.

She saw the headlights flash around her bedroom wall, and the heard the deep purr of the car’s engine as it pulled up on the driveway. She grabbed her purse and little lacy shawl and ran downstairs.

Willow had just stood up to let Spike in.

“Don’t wait up, coz there’s a chance I won’t be home – bye!” Buffy opened the door and beamed at her lover.

“Enjoy yourselves, be good!” Willow said

Spike stuck his head around the door and winked at Willow and said,


“Be good? – How boring is that – see you, red!” Willow laughed and came to the front door to wave them off.

********

“Are we going to the Four Seasons? – Only I thought you hadn’t even booked it the other day when I mentioned it”

“We sure are my love, and I hadn’t booked it when we spoke about it, I phoned straight after. I’m on a special list”

“Wow…colour me impressed! – Um, will there be things to eat that I’ll know…coz really I’m a simple girl at heart. Hamburgers, Southern Fried, pizza…” Buffy felt a little apprehensive about the place now.

“Well, I can’t promise you a Southern Fried hamburger pizza, pet, but if there’s nothing on the menu that tickles your fancy, they’ll always do you just a steak and salad if that’s all you want”

Buffy brightened at this, and said,

“Oh good, it’s not I’m not adventurous, but things like pigeon, offal, game, and tongue – yuk!” she shuddered at the mere thought of it!

“You DO like tongue…loved it, I thought!” Spike said, giving her a sexy grin.

Buffy screwed up her face and began,

“EW! I couldn’t possibly eat somethi-oh - OH!” when she suddenly realised his ‘naughty’ meaning, she blushed and bit her bottom lip. Spike winked at her and she couldn’t help but smile.

“Fancy a cocktail first, we can go upstairs into the winds bar first if you like, do a little star spotting” Spike suggested as he pulled onto the restaurant’s private parking area.

“Could we? – I read somewhere that it’s a favourite haunt of such stars as Johnny Bepp, and Jake Nicholson”

“It has been know for them to frequent the place, yeah!” Spike got out and ran around to the passenger door, ever the gentleman and opened it for her helping her out.

“Thankyou! Ooh, it’s a little chilly, come on, let’s hurry inside!” Buffy pulled the almost useless for warmth wrap around her and they quickly went inside the foyer.

“Carling-Blake, we have a reservation for 9pm, were going up to the Winds, first, is that okay?”

“Certainly sir, would you like to take menu’s up with you?”

Spike accepted the two menus and they walked upstairs to the cocktail bar.

“So babe…what do you fancy then, eh?”

Buffy smiled and glanced up from the menu.

“Besides you? Um, actually, the Chicken thing sounds nice” Spike grinned at her

“Which one, there’s two”

“Is there? – The Hunter’s style one, in white wine with wild mushrooms, smoked bacon and fresh herbs – what’s the other one – I can’t-“

“Poulet Cordon Bleu, that’s a chicken breast fillet filled with ham and cheese, except it isn’t any of your run-of-the-mill ham and cheese, it’s special Parma ham and Roquefort cheese”

“Ooh…sounds lovely…no, I’ll stick to the Hunter’s one. What are you having?”

“Me, the pigeon casserole, so you can taste it”

“Ugh, no thanks! Buffy shuddered and sipped her drink.

“I’m just joking pet…are you having a starter?” Spike asked

“Well, I know it sounds greedy, well it IS a bit greedy, but I like the sound of the four giant prawns, grilled with lime, cilantro and chilli”

“I was looking at that…it’s a toss up between those or the crab-claws…no, prawns it is, and for you?” Buffy nodded

“And then the Hunter’s chicken, I’m going to have………the steak Diane, that’s fillet steak, beaten and then flambéd in brandy, cooked with onions and tomatoes, served in a deep red wine and mushroom sauce”

Spike ordered for them both, choosing crushed Jersey Royal potatoes and a selection of fresh vegetables to go with their main courses. The one thing he liked about Buffy was, she loved her food, he couldn’t have stood it if she’d been an ‘I’ll just have a green salad no dressing’ type girl.

**********

Glory stirred at the noise, and she raised her head off the pillow. It was her book falling off the bed that had woken her.

The lamp was still on in her room, and all seemed quiet next door. She got up, slipping on her peignoir and silently went to the spare room, where she listened at the door for a few seconds, but heard nothing except the sound of regular breathing. Slowly she twisted the doorknob and opened the door. She could see the tiny red light on the video camera, blinking. That was a warning to tell you that the film was about to run out.

Silently she crept into the room, and switched off the camera, and put it, and the tripod back quietly in the cupboard. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she could see Willy lying on his stomach, and Alphonse lying fast asleep next to him. She went over and touched Alphonse’s shoulder.

“Hmm, huh, wha-what”

“Shh!”

“Oh! Oh…right, oh don’t worry about him, he’s out cold, he’ll sleep like a baby until morning!” Alphonse whispered. Glory grimaced. This was the part she hadn’t planned, apart from Alphonse leaving, she didn’t want Willy to know, YET…

“You better go”

“Well thankyou!”

“Al, look, shh – don’t for fuck sake wake him!” Glory hissed. Alphonse swung his legs out of bed and groped for his clothes off the bedside chair, and pulled on his pants, he stood, hoisted them up fully and Glory heard the zip being done up.

“I’d be annoyed at having to leave, if I hadn’t had myself such a FANTASTIC time!”

“Well don’t tell me, you pervert…oh fucking hell…look at the state of those sheets!” Glory knew, even though they were ‘guest-room’ sheets, she’d HAVE to throw them out…

“Can I have them, you know souvenir?”

Glory made an ‘ugh’ face and said,

“You dirty little bas – Ew, do what you like, I’m not touching them!” she shuddered, Alphonse grinned.

“So what happens now then, are you going to lie next to laughing boy here, and pretend that you two have been at it like bunnies all night?” Alphonse pulled on his tee shirt and tucked it in his pants, and then did up his belt.

“One, there is no way on this earth I’m lying next to him, he’s naked for fuck’s sake, and two, I REALLY don’t want to know what those various stains are!” She shuddered again.

“What can I tell you, he was definitely a ‘virgin’!”

“Shut up you horrible little queer!” Glory face screwed up in disgust as she walked out of the bedroom, with Alphonse following her, bringing his little bag of sex toys with him. They could speak in a normal volume now, although they still kept their voices down.

“Um, any idea what happens now?” Glory asked frowning

“What do you mean, will he remember anything? – yes, he will, EVENTUALLY. It’ll come back to him in flashbacks”

“Did you…”

“Did I what, dearie? Roger him senseless – yes I-“

“Shut up! Did you, well talk to him?”

“Course I did, you stupid bitch! I was whispering all the things I was going to do to him when I-“

“Oh – shut up, shut up, I don’t want to know what you did! He’ll remember that! It’s just that well, how am I going to…oh fuck………he’s going to wake with one god almighty pain in his ass – how am I going to pass it off for the moment?”

“Well, say you did him with one of your dildoes! Fairs fair, he fucked you in the ass, you did-“

“I AM NOT – “ Glory quickly glanced at the spare-room door, and grabbed Alphonse by the elbow and steered him further down into the hallway. She lowered her voice and hissed

“I am not, not for one second letting HIM think he fucked me in the ass, ok? It’s bad enough him thinking he fucked me the conventional way – ugh, makes my flesh creep”

“Well, that I can’t help you with ducks…so, I better be off, I’ve got to get some beauty sleep” Alphonse picked up his jacket and draped it over one shoulder, he turned and faced her, watched as she lit a cigarette.

“Keep in touch, Bitch, and if you want me to do a rematch, you know where to find me! Bye-ee!” Glory let him see himself out and went and poured herself a drink. It was 4.35am. She sat on the sofa, pulling her legs beneath her.

**********


“Cheese and crackers?”

“God, I couldn’t eat another morsel…”

“Coffee then?”

“Okay – that’s if you’re having one”

“We could…go back to mine and have one, if you’d like, that is?” Spike suggested. Buffy grinned, nodded eagerly and drained the last of her wine. Spike finished his water and they both stood.

As if by magic, a waitress bought her wrap and Spike’s jacket over to them.

“Ready, come on then” Spike held out his arm towards the door.

“Oh, don’t you have to pay or-“

“They’ll send me the bill pet – told you, I’m on the special list.”

“Oh right –oh look, isn’t that Anya over?”

“Hmm? Where pet – oh yes…and the guy with her, well that’s Rupert Giles, he’s the owner, and used to sing with-“

“The Rocketeers, I know, they were one of my dad’s favourite bands…”

“William! So good to see you old chap!” Giles beamed and shook Spike warmly by the hand.

“You too Rupert – so, how are things?”

“Fine – hope to be getting another award soon, fingers crossed – so this is Buffy!”

This surprised Buffy, and she smiled as she shook his hand

“Wow, I’m impressed – you know me already!” Buffy said, and she seemed a little awe-struck as Spike formally introduced them.

“Actually, that would be Anya that told me…but it’s very nice to meet you!”

Buffy looked beyond Rupert Giles’ shoulder and gave Anya, who was sitting at the bar drinking a glass of wine, a little wave. Anya smiled and gave a sort of upward nod. Giles and Spike were talking, and then Spike excused them, saying it was getting late.

Twenty minutes later, Spike pulled up on the driveway of his house.

**********

“You didn’t say anything – that you knew what she said about you?” Giles asked, re-filling Anya’s glass with the cold Riesling.

“No, I promised you, didn’t I? I couldn’t believe her cheek! She was all, (Anya mimicked Jenny) ‘Hi, how are you- god it’s cold here – you’ll never guess who’s on the judging panel for the Book Award’…I was tempted to be really sarcastic – and say something like, ‘ Let me guess, Genghis Khan, Adolf Hitler and Elvis!” Anya gulped her wine, and Giles smiled, shaking his head gently.

“What?” Anya asked smiling

“You…why is it that I can never think of anything witty to say when I need to – but you – bang – quick witty retort – quite the Dorothy Parker you are! So tell me, who IS on the judging panel?”

“Oh, she was wittering on…um I forget who she said. I think I only recognised two of the names…the rest were foreign…um, the chefs are going home, look”

Giles turned his head and called out,

“Goodnight Francois, goodnight Gustav”

Both chefs called out goodnight, and the waitress locked the door behind them.

“Many in upstairs in the Winds bar now Molly?”

“About half a dozen, sir”

“Okay then, you can tell the waiting staff they can go, goodnight”

“Thankyou sir, goodnight”

Anya drained her wineglass, and stood up.

“I must be going too” Giles frowned

“Must you? I thought a nightcap back at my place, you could stay and – “

“Uh, uh! I know what will happen if I come back to your place!”

“And?” Giles pulled her close, smiling. Anya smiled too and leaned out of his embrace.

“Too much of a good thing…” She was distracted by Giles kissing her neck, she shivered with delight, smiling.

“Ah, but practice makes perfect!” Giles countermanded, before kissing her with passion.

Eventually coming up for air, she caught a breath and said,

“You’ll get sick of me, and – hmm…mmm”

“Never…go on, you KNOW were SO good together…” Anya could feel her resolve to go home melting faster than a snowflake on a hotplate…

“Yes………oh”

“Yes, you mean you’ll come?”

“I hope so!” They both giggled, and she perched back on the stool again. Giles drained his glass and said,

“I’ll just go shift the late-stayers upstairs and put the nights takings in the safe”

***********


Willy’s eyes flickered open as a shaft of sunlight through a gap in the drapes hit him square between the eyes.

He had a bad taste in his mouth, which also felt dry, he had a headache, and as he turned over onto his side, FUCKING JESUS CHRIST! What the fuck had happened to his ass? It felt like he’d sat on a pineapple, or rather had one inserted into his ass, and was still there. He swiftly turned his head to look for Glory, but he was alone.

Lying on his back, he rubbed his eyes…what the hell had happened last night, why couldn’t he remember? He didn’t have a drink last night, not even his ‘staff drink’ at work, because he wanted to keep a clear head…he reached down and felt his cock. He normally woke with a hard-on… It felt very tender too – what the fuck had she done to him last night, and why couldn’t he remember?

He moved to get up out of bed, and every movement hurt, his ass felt on fire…he staggered to his feet, and went over to one of the doorways, and opened it up, but it was a closet. He went to the next door that opened into the hallway. He limped down the hallway and into the lounge, to see Glory sitting on the sofa, drinking coffee, smoking and reading a newspaper. She was fully dressed.

“What the FUCK happened last night, and why can’t I remember anything?” Willy croaked.

Grinning, Glory lowered the newspaper, and was just about to be sarcastic, when she saw he was stark naked, and she quickly hid behind the newspaper and shouted angrily,

“Oh, for god’s sake, put some clothes on, you horrible little weasel!” Willy practically limped over to her and snatched the newspaper out of her hands.

“I asked you a question, and I want some answers, I said, what the fuck happened last – Holy – Jesus, just look at my wrists!” Wide eyed with shock, Willy held out both arms and saw the state of his wrists for the first time…turning his hands this way and that, they were covered in what could only be described as rope burns…

Glory had her head firmly turned away from him, so she didn’t have to look at him naked.

“Go and get dressed!”

“Glory, we’ve been shagging all night, now is NOT the time to go all modest on me, anyway, it’s nothing you haven’t seen before!”

“And I NEVER want to see it again – just, GO AND PUT SOME FUCKING CLOTHES ON!”

“What the hell’s up with my ass…my head…I didn’t even have a drink - ” while he was talking, he spotted the champagne bottle leaning upside down in the ice bucket. He was desperately trying to think… Glory marched over to the bookcase and picked up a heavy glass ashtray off the top, and said,

“If you don’t go and get dressed, NOW, I’ll come over there, knock you out with this, and then I’m calling the police and telling them you broke in here and tried to-“

“Okay, okay, Geez! Ow…ow…ow…I fucking feel like I’ve been steamrollered…” Willy limped off back down the hallway muttering to himself.

Glory replaced the ashtray and went over and lit another cigarette, she paced up and down until Willy limped back, wearing his pants, doing up his shirt.

“So, I hope we had a good time last night for me to feel this fucking bad now…”

“Charming!”

“Well, did we?”

“Christ Willy, what the fuck do you want? – Eh? Marks out of bleeding ten?”

“Would be nice…all I want to know is, if there’s any chance of a re-match, and – put that down! Glory – okay, I‘m sorry, I’ll never mention…” Willy ducked down the hallway with Glory gaining on him fast, wielding the glass ashtray again.

“Get everything that belongs to you, and get the fuck out of my apartment – I’ll give you thirty seconds!”

Willy thought that he didn’t want the ashtray wrapped around his ear to add to his aches and pains, so he dashed back into the bedroom, and sat on the bed and searched for his socks and shoes.

“Hurry up!” Glory threatened, pacing back and forth menacingly outside the bedroom door.

Willy stood gingerly wincing in pain, and looked for his jacket, but he couldn’t see it.

He opened the door, to have his jacket thrown at him.

“Here, now GET OUT!”

Willy snatched the jacket from his face and glared at her, and began to say,

“If I find out that you’ve-“ Glory grabbed his elbow, dragged him down the hall and opened the front door, and shoved him out, slamming it behind him. She leant with her back against it eyes closed; she heaved a sigh of relief.

Outside in the hallway, Willy thought twice about shouting something through the letterbox, and turned to go home.

**********
chapter 28 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 28


Buffy and Spike entered the office together. Cordelia looked up from her computer and beamed at them both.

“Nice holiday Cordy – how is your sister?” Spike asked

“That would be my cousin, not my sister, and she did what she does best, and popped out another one while I was there! Four children at 25…sheesh! I’m glad to get back here for some peace and quiet!”

Spike smiled and then looked guiltily at Cordelia’s overflowing piled high in-tray.

“Sorry love, I did what I could, but with Xander out and Sweet thinking I should just drop everything and run and be at his beck and call whenever he thinks fit…”

“It’s ok, I’ll soon get done I suppose, as long as I work through my lunch hour and stay until about 8 tonight!” Cordy said cheerfully enough. Both Buffy and Spike frowned, and Spike said,

“Just you make sure you put the overtime sheet for Sweet, he doesn’t appreciate you nearly enough!”

“ Ah, there you are Spike, can I see you for a minute …” Xander put his head around the office door.

“Um, sure, ok” Harmony walked in and went over to Buffy and Cordelia who were cooing over photographs of the new baby Cordelia’s cousin had had.
Outside in the corridor Spike said,

“What’s up?”

“Nothing, it’s just that I’ve decided that my flat-warming party will be on the 28th, that’s a Friday, that be ok for you and Buffy – I want to keep it very low key, I don’t want it to get out, and have a horde show up”

“A Friday – sure, no problem…are you asking Cordelia?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Oh, the way you called me out here, I thought you didn’t want her to know”

“No, it’s not that, it’s those messengers in there, their ears flap as much as their lips, it’d be all over the building in two minutes flat!” Xander explained

“Ah, got you” Spike nodded

“Oh, that band, Roman Holiday, they are coming in this afternoon to do a demo tape, shall I call you?”

“Yeah – you can give me a shout, now I must go Xand, I’ve got a thousand and one things to do”

“’Kay then, later” Xander went off and Spike went back into the office to get some work done. He heard Cordelia say,

“………Something so tiny and fragile make so much noise and such an evil smell!” All the girls laughed and Harmony said quietly,

“Anyway Buffy, Cordy, we are having a flat-warming party on the 28th, and you and ‘you-know-who’ are invited of course, but please keep it to yourself, we only want who we invite, not all and sundry turning up”

“Great! I’m not sure what Wes will be doing, but I’ll definitely come…did you have a hand in the decorating?”

“None what so ever, but it looks great!” Harmony said grinning.

“Don’t tell me he got some taste at last! – He must have been watching those room makeover shows! – What date did you say?” Cordelia minimised the programme she was working on, and opened up the diary page

“The 28th, it’s a Friday”

“Hold on, let me put that in the diary………Oh…aren’t you going then Buffy?” Cordelia asked, frowning.

“Yes, course I am – told him, I want the full tour – what makes you ask that?”

“Only your marked down here as appearing on a TV show, evening, 6.30 – midnight a programme called ‘Amongst Friends” Buffy frowned and looked over towards Spike, and said,

“First I’ve heard of it………um, Spike” Buffy beckoned him over to Cordelia’s computer.

“Did you forget to tell me that I had a TV show on the 28th, the evening – I can’t go to Xander’s party” Buffy said

“What? What TV show, I’ve not booked anything” Frowning, he came and stood behind Cordelia and looked at her monitor.

“There, look, ‘Amongst Friends’ 6.30 – midnight, on the 28th” Cordelia ran the arrow cursor along the details.

“Well, it’s the first I’ve heard of it too, nobody consulted me anyway… ‘Amongst Friends’? – I’ve never heard of it, have you?” Spike looked puzzled. The three girls shook their heads in unison

“Where is it at – whose show is it anyway?” Spike leaned over Cordy and took the mouse, and highlighted the show name. The info box popped up and Spike saw the name ‘Glory Benson’.

“Ah, well we can cancel, she didn’t okay it with me, don’t worry, I’ll sort it, okay – cheeky madam, booking stuff behind my back, well I won’t let her get away with it”

“Well, I must go, I’m doing a photo-shoot, see you later – bye-ee!” Harmony left the office and Buffy was going to rehearse for a live music show to be shown later on in the week, so she left too.

Cordelia watched Spike out of the corner of her eye as he phoned Glory Benson’s office.

“………She’s not, okay, well would you tell her to contact Spike Carling please…yes, ASAP…who is this I’m speaking to………………okay then – oh, do you know anything about her new show, ‘Amongst Friends’? – You don’t, okay then, thanks, bye”

“Well?”

“She’s not in…no surprise there…”

“And they don’t know anything about this new show?”

“It was one of the researchers I spoke to, not a thing – I’ve a good mind to pop upstairs, I bet the cheeky cow is sitting there really, just lying because she doesn’t want to change her schedule, well tough, she’s going to have to!”

“So tell me Spike…have you been to Xander’s place?”

“Yeah…it’s a nice enough place, it’s in Norwood. Handy for here”

“The nice end or the more ratty end by the multi-plex?”

“Well, it’s kind of in the middle, quiet, front parking, no pets, you know the type of thing” Cordelia nodded thoughtfully.

“Yup…oh gods, here we go, switchboard girl has arrived” Cordelia rolled her eyes as the phones started ringing…

**********

Hank Summers picked up the long white envelope off his front door mat and smiled, turned it over and slit it open with his thumbnail. He pulled out a letter, a return ticket from Seattle to LA and confirmation booking for a double room en suite at the Holiday Inn. Also in the envelope was a schedule for the show and a brochure for the hotel, showing the Olympic sized swimming pool, solarium, gym, tennis courts with professional tutoring, and free access to a nine-hole golf course. All that and a guaranteed meeting with his daughter! Admittedly, it would be on live TV, but at least he’d see her in the flesh…


**********

Cecily was sitting on the sofa, her knees under her chin, she felt cold and very shaky. She hugged herself more tightly around her legs, she was trying to go ‘Cold Turkey’, and not use any drugs just to get through the day. She was trying to limit herself to taking it for sheer enjoyment while she was out socializing, or straightening herself out for work, that was all.

Dru had been going on about Spike since he turned up for the meeting with Sweet. She’d been Spike this, that and the other. And over breakfast, she’d even picked the names for the children and the dogs they were going to have for fucks sake…she’d tried to tell Dru that Spike wasn’t interested, but seeing her happy…so Cecily let her get on with it, she’d soon learn. Most probably the hard way, but she’d get the message eventually…

“So what do you think?” Dru asked, wild-eyed with excitement.

“Hmm? Oh, yeah…very nice!” Cecily barely looked at the ‘yet another blue dress’ bought by Dru.

“But what do you think? – Will Spike like it do you think? Blue’s his favourite colour!”

“Yeah, you told me…about a thousand times” Cecily mumbled the last four words to herself.

“I bought different shoes to go with it, not too high, I like to be a bit shorter than he is…oh god – I can’t wait! – It’ll be just wonderful!” Dru swayed from side to side, dreaming in her head about not only times past, but to the future.

“Lorney said that of course Spike’s invited to the party, his was one of the first invitations sent out…so, what are you wearing?”

Cecily sniffed, and shakily wiped her nose on the back of her hand. She could feel a sort of panic in her stomach, and desperately wanted a hit of something to calm her. Dru had been droning on and on about Spike until in the end, Cecily rubbing her temples with sheer desperation shouted,

“DRU, FOR…for pities sake…please love…I’ve, I’ve got a splitting headache!”

“But I was only saying that for a first back-together date, I thought a picnic on the beach! Just the two of us…it’ll be SO romantic!”

“Back together – Dru, what ARE you going on about?”

Dru rolled her eyes and slapped her arms against her sides.

“Me and Spike, getting back together of course! He’ll see me in this dress, and fall in love with me all over again, and-“

“Dru…would you be a love…go and make us some tea, eh, please, for me, huh? – Help my headache”

“Oh poorly baby – of course!” Dru patted a concerned hand on Cecily’s back, and went off to make tea.

The phone rang, and with effort, Cecily shifted herself to answer it.

“Oh, hi Tucker…what - oh no, why?…………Bloody idiot! – Can’t you just cut it different, and – okay, okay………but I was busy, you’ll have to give me a couple of hours…I’m sorry, but it’s the best I can do – it’s not MY fault that you’ve got an idiot for a producer………no, I can’t – take it or leave – okay, yeah, but you’ll have to send a car, and DON’T send it early thinking it’ll make me come over any quicker, it won’t. Yeah, bye” She threw the receiver down.

“Tea’s ready!” Dru came in carrying two mugs.

“I’ve got to go into work…that pillock that you picked up and screwed from that night club, the one that fancies himself as a producer – what’s-his-name…Parker, he couldn’t produce shit…he’s only gone and cut and destroyed the last scene of ‘Rough Rider’ in the editing suite by mistake, so I’ve got to go and film it all over again…that’s ALL I need – oh it’s no good, I’ll HAVE to have a toot now, just to get me through!”

Secretly Cecily felt relieved, this let her off the hook about cutting down on the drugs, after all, she could hardly go on-set shaking like a leaf now could she?

Standing up from snorting the second line through the other nostril, Cecily pinched her nose and sniffed, wiped it on her finger and sniffed again, waiting for the euphoria.

Either she was doing far too much and was used to it, or this was an inferior product, the ‘hits’ she was getting lately barely registered now, only just keeping the withdrawl symptoms away. Where as when she first took it, it used to be like a mini atom bomb going off in her brain. She’d mention it to Daddy………

************


“Anything besides bills?” Sam called out to her husband. Riley was standing in the hall reading, holding a long white envelope, he grinned when he read, ‘confirmation’ bookings of flights and Holiday Inn, Burbank reservations. He shoved the contents back into the said envelope, and he slid it into the back pocket of his jeans before re-joining his wife at the dining table. He threw a bill and a couple of circulars down and took his seat, pouring them both coffee.

“Now, isn’t this nice, a leisurely breakfast together!” Sam beamed at him from across the table, then she said,

“Listen honey, I was thinking, how would you like to go and see my parents, I thought we could drive down, stay overnight somewhere and make more of a mini-break of it?

“When?” Riley bit into a slice of toast.

“Towards the end of the month”

“Uh, uh, sorry no can do!” He had a big grin on his face

Sam frown/smiled and intrigued, she asked,

“Why not?”

“You’ll see!” Riley teased

“No, come on, tell me, please – you know I hate surprises!”

“You big fibber, you love them! All I say, is this, dust off your bikini, and go buy yourself a posh dress”

Sam beamed.

“Really – are you sure we can afford it?”

“Oh yes!”

“Where are-“

“No, no! You’ll find out. We fly on the morning of the 26th”

“Fly? – Fly where, oh please – tell me!!”

“Nope, you my darling are going to have to learn a little patience!” Riley said and they beamed at each other.

Skimming through the schedule, they’d arrive, go to the hotel, have dinner, spend an evening in the luxury hotel, go to the studios the following morning for a show run-through, then the rest of the day was for themselves, maybe even a little sight-seeing in LA, then the following evening was the show for real, leaving plenty of time to take full advantage of the hotel’s luxurious facilities! They’d fly back the next day after breakfast.


**********


“And what time do you call this? – Fuck me, you look DREADFUL” Warren pushed his chair back from the desk slightly, leaned back and yawned – then surveyed his barman again.

“Sorry I’m ow- late…bloody hell fire…” Willy gritted his teeth and held onto the desk for support.

“What HAVE you been doing?” Warren grimaced at the sorry figure standing (only just standing) in front of him

“I wish I knew…ow fuck…any chance of getting one of the other’s to restock the shelves of mixers, it’s usually only the tonic water and the ginger ale that needs topping up…bleeding hell…my as – um, back’s killing me”

“Where did you go…are those what I think they are… you DIRTY little git! Where have you been?” Warren had caught sight of Willy’s scarred and now scabbed over wrists, and grinned.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you”

“Try me” Warren grinned

“Glory Benson’s place” Willy said without smiling. Warren’s brows arched high

“Glory Benson? – THE Glory Benson…pull the other one!”

“See, I TOLD YOU, you – ow…ow fuck, sorry boss, I just gotta sit down for a minute, ow. OW!” Willy pulled out the chair opposite and very carefully sat down.

Warren frown/smiled at his hapless barman.

“YOU, were at Glory Benson’s place?”

Willy just nodded

“Okay, I’ll bite, say I believe you, what were you doing there – and don’t tell me her, coz THAT I wouldn’t believe, not in a million years!”

With indignance, Willy asked,

“Why the fuck not – why is it so hard to believe that-“

Warren leaned forward, and twiddled his pen, and interrupted him, shaking his head...

“Willy, Willy, Willy…the woman has taste…refinement; her idea of a ‘bit of rough’ is that Irish actor, what’s-his-face…(Warren clicked his fingers, thinking)………um…that one that was in that film with thingy”

“Well THAT narrows it down!” Willy groused sarcastically, he shifted slightly on the seat and winced in pain.

“Callum O’Farrell. Definitely not barman Willy! – Besides which, she once knocked ME back, so………what chance would-“

“Contrary to what YOU might think, you’re NOT the bloody cat’s whiskers, and I’ve had my success in the past with the ladies! Ow…ow fuck that smarts…”

Warren beamed at him.

“So, what was it, a party?”

“No. Just me and her” Willy looked tired, and in pain. Warren frowned, and began to think. Why would Willy make a story up like that, that he’d been at Glory B’s house, the idea was just too preposterous, unless it were true…

“So, what did she do to you then, this Blonde bombshell – coz boy, does it look like she put you through the wringer!”

Before Willy could stop himself, he blurted out,

“I wish I could remember”

Warren started to laugh, for a full minute, he belly-laughed until the tears rolled down his cheeks. Willy said and did nothing, just sat there feeling miserable and in pain.

“Oh fuck, oh god, that’s…that’s so fucking funny!” Warren held his side, banging the desk with his fist in mirth.

“What is?” Willy asked, still looking pained.

“YOU! You jerk – You go to this beautiful woman’s place, and you get totally fucked over and hung out to dry, and you don’t remember…”

“I think she might have drugged me, bitch. I didn’t have a drink all night, I wanted to be, well you now, at my peak, when…I think I might have had a drop of champagne” Willy trailed off and Warren went into another paroxysm of laughter.

“Why did you go anyway – or, more to the point, how come she let you?”

“She owed me for some info I got for her”

Warren arched a brow, and shook his head slowly, stood, and came over, patting Willy’s shoulder, barely keeping the grin from his face.

“Willy…I can’t really spare you, but take the rest of the day off, the laugh you’ve given me alone is worth it…and um, take some advice?” Willy looked up at him.

“I’d get yourself off down to the clinic, get a few tests done…she drugged you, and probably had a couple of $10 whores fuck you over – you never know WHAT they might have given you!” Warren cheerfully patted Willy’s shoulder, and left the office, leaving Willy feeling not only had the bottom just fallen out of his world, but the world had just fallen out of his bottom…

**********

“Spike, I’m going to lunch, well, I’m going to grab a sandwich and a juice, have a look and see what you think about this offer that’s just come in from the Hat-Trick Cable Quiz network, I’ve left it up on my monitor…” Cordelia left the office and Spike slid into her chair and began to read.

Buffy put her head around the door, and Spike called her over.

“Hey…good rehearsal babe?” he gave her a light kiss and Buffy put her arm around his shoulders.

“Fine”

“What do you think of this – it’s a new quiz show from Hat-Trick, they do the Spy Camera House and Make me a Millionaire shows, I thought you and Harmony might fancy it. Make some money for charity, it’s a celebrity quiz special, it’s multiple choice questions and answers?”

“Well yeah, I’m game – see what Harm says, it’s for a good cause…oh look, it says we can choose our own charity too, yeah, I’ll definitely do it”

Cordelia came back carrying a barbecue chicken wrap and a freshly squeezed orange juice.

“So, what do you think?” She asked, Spike got up out of her chair.

“Yeah, I’m definitely willing, I’ll ask Harmony when I – oh, speak of the devil! Harm, come and look at this…”


“Right then, that’s booked, it’ll mean the whole day at the studios, because they are going to record the three celebrity episodes all in one go, but they don’t know the running order” Cordelia informed Buffy and Spike at the afternoon tea break.

“So…anyone any ideas as to what to buy for the guy that has everything – the party is less than a week away?”
Spike asked.

“Who – oh, you mean Sweet’s birthday…I’ve no idea. Did I see right, he’s supposed to be 50?” Cordelia asked

Spike and Buffy grinned.

“I know…he’s 56 at least, to my knowledge!” Spike said

“Actually, he’s 59, I remember reading something before I worked here, it said that Sweet’s father was a war hero, he’d been a POW during the second world war, and had escaped, got shot down again, and was crippled by the crash, so the war ended for him in 1944, but all was not lost as his wife gave birth to a son, one Cornelius Algernon Sweetly, they had a girl too three years later, but that puts him at 59 in my book.”

“Algernon eh? – I’ll have to remember that when he’s tearing me off a strip next time!” Spike said.

“Oh my god! Have you read this?” Xander came into the café reading the LA News.

“What?”

“Trick’s found god!” Xander said grinning, passing Spike the newspaper.

“What?” Cordelia shrieked with laughter, in fact everyone was laughing, and then Spike read out,

“Trick, 31, real name Ron Ward guitarist with the rock band Noiz spoke from the Joanne Mondale clinic in Seattle said yesterday that he found the meditation sessions at the chemical dependency unit so spiritually enlightening, that he’s embraced the faith and wants to become a Buddhist – bloody hell…I swear to god this has got Sweet written all over it, what do you say Cordy?”

Cordelia nodded

“The only Faith he’s ever embraced does a duet with Lilah!” Spike joked.

“Sounds like a cheap publicity stunt to keep them in the headlines as they are not actually making records, although, I haven’t quite got to it yet in my work-load; but I think that there was some talk about issuing a ‘best of’ album” Both Xander and Spike frowned.

“Are you still their manager?” Buffy asked Spike.

“Well, I suppose so, but what with Rack and Trick in rehab, Animal ‘guesting’ with Pantana, since he got off with that drug possession rap there isn’t a band to manage.”

“Has Glory got back to you about that show thing yet?” Cordelia asked. Spike looked up and said,

“Oh god no she hasn’t, I been in the office too, and no email, phonecall, nothing. I even sent a note with the messengers, don’t worry, I won’t let her get away with this, this booking stuff behind my back, who the hell does she think she is?”

“Anyway, I just thought I’d show you that piece in the paper, I’ve got to go, I’m just going to give the band a run through of what’s going to happen, give me about an hour Spike, then come down and let me know what you think?”

“Sure, is this Roman Holiday or Mellow?”

“The first one, Mellow are coming tomorrow, later” Xander left.

“Anyway, to get back to what we were talking about…what are we going to buy Sweet for his birthday?” Spike looked at Cordelia and Buffy expectantly.

“I should say a calendar, so he can work out his true age!” Buffy suggested.

“Well, it’s not a problem for me, as I’m not invited!” Cordelia stood up, picking up the empty cups to throw away.

“You’re not?” She shook her head.

“I’m only one of the under-minions of this place according to them, I’m not bothered anyway, Wes is coming to my place!” She said with a smug grin, and Buffy and Spike chuckled.

“Well, I suppose I better get back to rehearsals…see you later babe?”

“Yup, if I’m not in the office, I’ll be down in one of the recording studios, ok?” Buffy nodded and left. Cordy threw the cups and followed everybody out.

**********
chapter 29 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 29

Willy woke with a start; he’d got back from the club lunchtime, and had had an awful pain-wracked day, he’d eventually fallen asleep around teatime after the best part of half a bottle of scotch as a painkiller. When his mind cleared after a few seconds, he realised his mobile was ringing. He noticed the time on his clock radio as he answered the phone, it was 8.45pm.

“Hello?”

“Willy, it’s me, where are you, I thought you’d be at work – I want to know when this show’s on, I don’t want you reneging on our deal”

“Pavayne, just the man I want to see. Look can you come around to my place?”

“When?”

“Now”

“Where d’you live?”

“Above the butchers in Merryvale High Street”

“Okay, see you in…twenty”

******

“Blimey, you look AWFUL!”

“Thanks a lot, come in, shut the door behind you…ow, ow…” Willy limped back into the dingy little room he lived in, and motioned towards the only other chair in the room and said,

“Sit down”

“Got anything to drink?” Pavayne asked him

Willy, who had just sat down on a blow-up rubber ring to ease his pain sighed and said,

“Cupboard over there, glasses are in the kitchen…”

The paparazzo journalist took a bottle of Scotch out of the cupboard, and put it on the table and went to fetch glasses.

“So, what happened to you?” he called from the kitchen.

Willy decided it best to play it cagey.

“Me? – Oh I um, I tripped and fell down the cellar at work…hurt my back, aggravated an old war wound”

“WAR WOUND – thought you’d got haemorrhoids, my ex-missus sat on one of those rubber rings when she was having our first kid” Pavayne said, cracking open the Scotch, and pouring two very generous measures…

“YES, war wound! But I don’t like to talk about it…it’s the base of my spine…” Pavayne sat down.

“So, when’s this show?”

“Not sure yet, towards the end of the month, she said they’d have to fix the transmission dates”

“She?”

“Glory, Glory Benson, it’s her show, she’ll get back to me about it” Willy nervously sipped his whiskey.

“Good. So, why did you drag me all over here for?”

Willy downed the Scotch, grimaced as it burned and reached for the bottle. Pavayne also downed his drink and held out his glass. Pouring them both a top-up, he coughed nervously and said,

“I um…I wonder if you could…help me – again?”

“Who is it this time?”

“No, I don’t want you to find anybody. You know some bad guys don’t you – guys that could say…get hold of a gun, an unlicensed one that is…”

“You want to get hold of an unlicensed gun? – Yeah…yeah I know a few people…cost you though”

“How much?” Willy took a big gulp on whiskey

“Off the top of my head…$500 - $1000” Pavayne said, and Willy nearly choked.

“Bloody hell – I could go downtown and buy me an assassin with a gun for less than half that!”

Pavayne shrugged and helped himself to more drink.

“Then why don’t you?”

“Coz…well, because, I don’t want anybody taken out, I just want to frighten them, that’s all”

“So why does it have to be unlicensed then?” Willy rolled his eyes and said,

“Because if it goes tits up, it’ll be untraceable…look, forget it, I’m sorry I – “

“Hey now, hold your horses…I might be able to help…what do you want to do, just like wave it around a bit?”

Willy nodded and said,

“Yeah, that sort of thing”

“Well, I’ve got an old starting pistol, from when I used to be an athletics coach, it looks the business, will even make a bang. Wouldn’t put a hole in anybody though”

Willy brightened at this and sat forward, winced, and offered more Scotch.

“How much?”

“Oh no, I couldn’t sell it, sentimental value, my days when I was-“

Willy, not wanting to walk down memory lane with the half drunk journalist quickly interrupted and said,

“What then?”

“What, what?”

“What do you want, for letting me borrow the thing?” Pavayne sat back in the chair and looked at Willy.

“Okay, say free drinks, every time I come into the club”

Willy thought…he already had one guy eating into his stolen drink ‘allowance’ at work, and now another one wanted in…and they both drank like the proverbial bloody fish…

“Free drinks eh? - Okay, free drinks for a week”

“A month”

“Sod off, a fortnight and no longer, and you don’t come in more than three times a week”

“Done…when do you want it?”

“Leave it for a week or so…I want to be fit when I pull this thing off”

“Not going to rob a bank, are you Willy m’ boy?”

“Nah…nothing like that…I just want to bring somebody into line, to scare the shit outta ‘em is all…cheers”


**********

Sweet was doing his weekly office visit, where he signed cheques, read contracts and just caught up with deals to keep his finger on the pulse.

“I said $50,000 above Spike, not $100,000………oh well, at least we’ve got her now…” Sweet mumbled to himself, casting an eye over the contract for Jesse Simone from Midnight Music.

He wasn’t annoyed with Spike really, he was the best manager he had, and if the situation called for it, then Spike would do what had been necessary. If the shoe had been on the other foot, and Jesse Simone had been leaving Aphrodite for Midnight, Sweet would have wanted $250,000 above the contract price for her, minimum!

Knowing that the singer had a huge following and a single from her alone would re-coup that extra he’d paid out straight away. It was just that he absolutely HATED the idea of Quentin Travers having a single cent of his money that was all.

A quiet knock on the door interrupted his musings.

“Yes?” Glory opened the door and entered the office. She smiled and said her piece.

“Sweet, um Daddy, could I see you a minute, please?”

“What is it Glory, I’m very busy”

“Won’t take a minute. This new show of mine, Amongst Friends, well, I’ve got a feeling that Spike is going to cut up rough and want to cancel things and change my schedule, I had to book something for his precious – erm, for Buffy, while he wasn’t there – and he’s been leaving me messages that Buffy can’t do it, it’ll be SO expensive to cancel, I’ve got guests flying in and everything, but it’s got to be a surprise, that’s the whole element of the show. There’s no reason why she can’t do it, there’s nothing else booked, I checked” Glory looked at her boss expectantly.

Sweet sighed and glared at her

“Glory, this is bread and butter stuff, I don’t want to be bothered by the everyday running of things! Sort it out amongst yourselves!”

“But, well, can I say you said that things must stand, he can’t cancel – it’ll cost you thousands if he cancels”

“Say what you like!”

“But you’ll back me up if-“

“Yes, now GO! Goodness sake………worse than kids telling tales out of school … Lorne … where’s Lorne?” Sweet asked Glory. She shrugged

“Well, if you see him on your way out, tell him I want him, NOW!”

This signalled to Glory that her audience with him was over, but she grinned as she’d got what she wanted…and she was still smiling as she left the room.

Halfway down the corridor she saw Lorne.

“Daddy’s looking for you…he’s getting really crotchety in his old age, isn’t he!”

“Hey, don’t talk about Daddy like that, he pays your wages, remember!” Lorne snapped and put a spurt on to get the office that bit quicker.

Glory gave him a false smile and said,

“Whatever”

**********

“Yes! Come here you little beauty…” Spike lifted the clear plastic film from the photo album page, and removed a picture, and kissed it, grinning.

“I take it you found what you were looking for then?” Buffy said, looking up from reading a magazine.

They were both sitting in the lounge at Spike’s place, Buffy was on the sofa, and Spike was leafing through old photo albums at the dining table.

“Yup, I sure have. Come and have look at this” Buffy got up and came over to where Spike was.

“Know who that is?” Spike held up the photo, and Buffy began to shake her head, then she smiled and took the picture off him.
There was a picture of a man with long hair, big droopy moustache a purple shirt open practically to the waist, big gold medallion, and tight white pants that flared into wide bell-bottoms, and Cuban heeled boots

“Who, that bloke with the long hair and the – (She went round eyed and slack jawed, and then she grinned!) Oh my GOD! Is that Sweet?”

Spike grinned and nodded

“Yeah! Taken in the grounds of Carrisbrooke House, my stately pile back in dear old Blighty, in the year of our Lord……… (He angled his head to glance at the back of the photo) 1979! See that lady there…that was my mum, and that chap to the left, by the tall hedge with his back to the camera, that was my dear old dad! Oh god, that’s Bernie in the background by the French windows…see the dog, the Old English sheep dog…I used to practically ride on his back!”

“Where were you then?” Buffy asked

“Probably in the nursery, with nanny, I was only two! This was the first rock concert they’d held at Carrisbrooke, they’d always resisted the temptation before, because of the clean-up costs after, but they needed to get the roof fixed in the east wing, so needs must.

Next to Sweet, that’s a guy called Mick Jones…brilliant guitarist – I wish I knew what he was doing these days, I’d sign him up faster than you could blink.

“So what are you doing with this then?” Buffy asked still smiling.

“I was going to get a copy made, blown up and have it framed for our lord and master’s birthday. It was the first concert he’d totally organised on his own”

“He’ll love it – this is worth more than all the Rolex watches and stuff they others are putting towards” Buffy said, handing Spike the photo back.

“Good, I’m glad you think so, coz I’ve been wracking my brains!”

“Oh, I see. That’s what it was, was it? – I wondered what the noise was!” Buffy said with a cheeky glint in her eye.
Spike grinned, narrowed his eyes at her and scraped back his chair. Buffy giggled and took off running away.

“Right young lady, just for that, I’m going to…” Spike hared off after her.

“No, Spike NO! No chasing, you know I hate being chased!” Buffy leapt over the coffee table laughing and made for the door, but Spike rounded the sofa and headed her off, catching her round the waist.

“Oh no you don’t, come here you, naughty girl…I’m going to have to take you in hand young lady…put you in the naughty corner…”

“What’s a naughty corner?” She asked grinning

“It’s a deep, dark corner, where naughty little girls are taken…when they’ve been naughty!” Spike nuzzled her neck making her shiver with delight.

“But I’d be all –oh- lonely!” Buffy hunched up her one shoulder as Spike was tickling her by nibbling on her neck.

“Not if I’m with you…we can be naughty together then…”

“Really? Oh… I love the sound of that…” Buffy turned in his arms and began to kiss him passionately, and Spike eagerly responded………

***********

Willy had thought about this long and hard. He’d thought about it in the doctor’s surgery while he waited to be examined, and he thought about it while he waited at the Sexually Transmitted Disease Clinic while he underwent tests for various maladies. He’d thought about it at work, and he thought about it while lying in bed…he’d thought of nothing else………

“Willy Smith…Willy Smith” the large black nurse called out

“Oh yeah, um, that’s me” Willy stood

“Would you come this way please sir.”?

“R-right” Dressed only in a hospital gown, Willy followed the nurse down to a cubicle.

“Could you please provide us with a specimen of urine in this container, and the doctor will be along with you shortly”

Willy did as he was asked, and after what seemed an age, a doctor came and swished back the curtain, entered the cubicle and drew it closed behind him.

“Well Mr…Smith – oh there’s an unusual name, I don’t think……I understand that you want an HIV test…so, if you would just answer these few questions for me…
Okay, how long have you been a practicing homosexual?”

Willy, greatly affronted sat up and said angrily,

“Listen here, I’m no fuckin’ poof – I was raped! Drugged and raped – I’m at my wits end here, tearing my bloody hair out in case I’ve got AIDS, and all you want to-“

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry Mr Smith, I didn’t mean to offend you. These questions are for our own records, and are totally confidential – in fact they are anonymous, we don’t even put names on them…we find people often use an alias when they come here anyway.

Right…um, raped you say…have you contacted the police at all – male rape is a very serious crime, and it’s taken as seriously as female rape these days. When did the offence take place?

“Five…five days ago” Willy nervously looked at his shaking fingers

“And you didn’t report it straight away?”

“No…I…I didn’t think…things are still patchy…I can’t remember much…only coming to and not remembering a bloody thing, except I’d got this fuck- ahem sorry doc, I’d got this tremendous pain in my butt. I was at work a couple of nights ago……………………” he went onto explain to the doc just what had happened:

Willy was at work, still in pain, it had been three days since the ‘incident’ at Glory’s place. Weekdays were slow, especially early in the evening just when the place was used as a ‘watering-hole’ before the nightclub part opened.

Willy knew he didn’t have much chance to ‘sting’ the customers with either watered down spirits or cocktails with the Polish spirit, but he needed to take a few risks, as he’d got both the journalist and the Paparazzo on free drinks, and boy did they drink. But things were looking up tonight, there were three fat executives, obviously new in town, away from their wives, an expense account burning holes in the pockets of their cheap suits.

It was their fourth round of beers with Scotch chasers, and when Willy happily served them some watered down whiskey, they didn’t even notice.

The one guy, fat and red-faced who sat right next to the bar had a laugh like a jackass, he’d eaten a dish of peanuts and seemed to be doing most of the talking.

“Hey, did you hear that sales rep from – where did he say he was he from Chuck?”

“Maryland”

“That’s it, Maryland…getting SO worked up about his figures, like they were something special …’I’m gonna give it to you good! He said!” the two other exec’s laughed as the fat guy told his story, but they all turned to look at the little barman, who’d suddenly gone as white as a sheet and had dropped a large Scotch on the floor, the glass smashing everywhere.

Willy staggered back and just caught the bar before he keeled over.

All he could hear in his head, was the words, ‘Give it to you good! Give it to you good! Give it to you good!’ hyperventilating, he held his temples, seeing in his minds eye the pillow in Glory’s bedroom as his face was pressed into it, and somebody was lying on his back…and the pain…oh god, the pain in his ass.

“Hey, buddy, you okay? – What’s up with him…hey you there, barman…you okay – want us to call somebody – Chuck – go see if there’s-“ the fat guy go up off his stool, and went to open the flap of the bar. Willy just about managed to pull himself together, and although a little shaky, he smiled.

“No! Um, no. Sorry, it’s, it’s okay… I’m………okay, thanks – tired, you know how it is” Willy had just had his first ‘flashback’, if he’d but know it………………………

“I see, and have you had other flashbacks since?” The doctor asked Willy

“One or two…I’m trying to slowly piece things together”

“Uh huh, I understand. Well although any physical evidence such as sperm or lubricant would have long gone, we can still assess any damage done to you, and it might just be worth you reporting it to the police in case you get total recall…now, hold still” Wearing rubber gloves, the doctor took a syringe full of blood from Willy’s inner elbow.

“You do realise this is only a preliminary test, don’t you? You have to come back in three months for a follow up test for the proper results”

“WHAT – OH FUCK! – I mean, sorry doc…but I’ve got to wait until…I could be under a death sentence here!”

The doctor put the vial of blood into an envelope and sealed it.

“Things have come a long way since the early eighties, Mr smith. HIV with the right treatment needn’t mean an early death sentence any more. There are many combinations of drugs along with a sensible healthy regime of nutritious food and exercise, and your life expectancy could be the same as any healthy person”

He smiled at Willy after he said this, but as usual, the patient looked totally sceptical. To practically everyone who first came in there, HIV meant AIDS, and AIDS meant DEATH at an early age…Willy made up his mind, he’d thought about it long enough. If he was going to be under the threat of an early death-sentence, then so was Glory Benson………

**********


“Well, we don’t want to get there too early, besides which, I doubt very much if he’ll show much before 11pm – he never does” Spike said. Buffy, Harmony and Xander nodded in agreement, and then Xander said,

“But as it’s a ‘surprise’ party – do you think he’ll have any say in the matter?”

Xander asked

“He’s got a point, if Lorne’s organised all this, then-“

“I doubt this is a ‘surprise’, Sweet isn’t daft – he’ll know exactly what’s going on, in fact I’d bet on him having picked the venue, the caterers, everything” Spike said.

“Hmm, you’re probably right. Oh I hate these do’s” Xander said screwing up his face

“Yeah, and me” Spike nodded

“Me too” Harmony concurred

“Not the best fun to be had…but we are all going together, yes?” Buffy asked

“We could all go in my car, if you like – you could leave yours at my place, and pick it up after” Xander suggested.

“Okay, I’ll drive, you can have a drink then, if you want Xand” Spike said

“Cheers, that’s settled then. If we get there for say 10, we could be gone by midnight” Spike, Buffy and Harmony nodded so it was all agreed.

“Oh well….come on then Xander, see if we can find the next ‘Darkness’. What are you lovely ladies doing?”

“Buffy’s going to test me on geography, and I’m going to test her on history questions, for this quiz”

“History – oh boy…I wish I’d paid more attention at school now!”

**********
chapter 30 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 30

Buffy did up the delicate gold necklace she’d bought in New York, and slid a diamond comb into her hair, pinning up a mass of tumbling curls. She applied a second coat of mascara, and finally her lipgloss.

Spike came into the bedroom doing up his top button of his shirt, and then he slid the knot of his silk tie in place, and took his suit jacket off the hanger.

“You ready, Kitten?”

“Yup, would you do me up………thanks.”

“I MUCH prefer to undo you………” Spike zipped up her dress, and then dropped a light kiss on her neck, and Buffy smiled

“Me too, but come on babe, you start that, and we’ll NEVER get there tonight!”

“Would that be so terrible?” Spike ran his fingers up and down her bare arms, in a soft caress making Buffy go goosebumps.

“Well, I KNOW what I’d rather be doing, but we must show a bit of willing…besides which, Xander and Harmony will wonder what’s happened to us. Right, only got to get my wrap, and put my shoes on”

“I suppose – I told Xander we’d be at his place for nine”

“Are you bringing the present with you?” Buffy asked as she slipped into her black and gold Jimmi Choo sling backs.

“I thought I’d take it to work, and leave it in the office, else it could get smashed. Huh, I thought – hey photo, cheap prezzie – the frame and glass cost me $90, and then I had to pay for the photo to be blown up to size, that was another $55!” Buffy grinned at him and Spike smiled as he closed the front door behind them.

Spike pressed his keyring and Buffy heard the quiet ‘clunk’ of the central locking system dis-engaging. She opened the door and got in, did up her seatbelt.

“What has Xander got him, any idea’s?” Spike asked as he started the engine and reversed off his driveway.

“I think Harmony said something about a box of Cuban cigars”

“So kitten, tell me, how is the swatting up coming along for the quiz show?”

“Actually, great. Harm’s got this real competitive streak, and she’s no air-head!” Spike smiled and winked at Buffy.

“And neither are you kitten – one smart cookie you are – I should know!”

Buffy grinned and asked,

“And why’s that then?”

“Coz you’re going out with me, that’s why!” Grinning, Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Here we are…oh good, he’s parked in the road so I can pull in on his driveway” Spike did just that, and Buffy saw Harmony wave at them from the window.

“She’s seen us” Buffy said. A minute later, Harmony and Xander came out of the flat and Spike and Buffy got out of their car.

“Hi, here you go then mate, still want to drive?” Xander held out his car-keys to Spike.

“Sure”

“That’s good, coz I’m not sure how to get to the venue”

They all got into Xander’s car, and Spike drove off.

By the time they got into the venue, all the tables were taken as the place was packed, heaving to the gills with stars from the pop world, and those from stage and screen. In fact it had taken them a good hour to get in, and it was now getting on for 10.20pm. Harmony and Buffy found a space by a pillar, that had a narrow shelf running around the middle of it, while Spike and Xander went to the bar.

It took them a good few minutes to be served, and Xander picked up the two soft drinks and the glass of wine, saying he’d go back to the girls. Spike was waiting for a beer for Xander. When it was poured, he picked it up and turned from the bar, almost walking slap-bang into Dru.

“Spike! Well, hello! – I was beginning to think you weren’t coming!” She gave him a wide-eyed manic grin.

“Oh, um, er Dru…hello, um, would you ex-“

“You’re looking great!”

“Yeah? Well thanks, you said the other day” He was trying to move away, but the crowd at the bar and people coming to get drinks hemmed them in and forced Dru to stand closer to him.

“We should meet up sometime………Anyway, what do you think of my new dress, I bought it especially – I know you love blue!” Dru shouted over the loud thump of the disco music. She held out her arms and twirled around, grinning at him for approval.

Spike glanced over her shoulder and saw Lorne, and gave him a ‘help me’ look. Truth be known, he was horrified – on several counts. He was horrified that she hadn’t taken the hint the other day, and horrified at the idea of meeting her – AND her buying outfits just to please him………he shuddered and said,

“Dru, look, I don’t think that-“

“Catch up on the news, Chat about old times – aren’t you at least pleased to see me?” Spike looked at her and said, in a bored flat voice,

“Dru, what do you want me to say, hmm? I’m pleased for you that you seem better, I’m pleased for you that you seem to have your life back on track, now if you don’t mind, I -“ He gave Lorne another pleading look

Dru’s smile got even more manic, and she desperately wanted to keep him talking, wanting him next to her, she went to grab his arm.

“You’re not answering my question, I said are YOU – oh!” Lorne strode purposefully over to them, put his arm loosely around Dru’s shoulders and said,

“There you are Dru, I’ve been looking for you! Oh, hi Spike, sorry to interrupt, but come along sugar-plum, Daddy’s asking for you, he’s about to cut the cake, he wants you with him for the photographs” Lorne steered her quite firmly away from Spike, ignoring her protests.

“But I was talking to Spike! Tell him Spi – oh, where did he go?” Dru stopped and tried to turn around, only managing her head. Ignoring her question, Lorne just gently led her through the throng of dancing bodies. Spike just melted into the crowd in the opposite direction.

“There you are, I’d have had Cola if I’d have known a Coors was going to be so much of a problem – we’ve decided to make these last, I don’t fancy that queue again, cheers!”

“Dru collared me by the bar – she looks as mad as ever. ‘Aren’t you pleased to see me Spike?’ he mimicked - Hell no, I’m not – I thought she’d got the message last time! God...WHAT did I EVER see in her – must have been pure pity the last couple of years…”

“Did you say that to her?” Xander asked sipping his beer.

“No, thank god Lorne took pity on me and dragged her away” Spike sipped his cola and put it on the shelf.

Buffy looked at him a little worried, until Spike held his arm out to her. She immediately went to him and slipped her arm around his waist. Spike kissed her forehead.

“Don’t look so worried Kitten, I told you, I feel absolutely nothing for her now”

“I know baby, but well, has she moved on do you think?”

“I don’t care – I’m sorry if that sounds callous, but I’ve really had my fill of her, all the dirty tricks she played – now, can we change the subject please – to one of something of interest!”

Suddenly the music stopped and the lights went up and there was a loud sound of feedback coming from the speakers, and then Lorne blowing into the microphone and saying, ‘testing, testing, one two, one two’… waitresses moved among the crowd with huge trays full of champagne to drink Sweet’s health for the toast.

Satisfied the thing was working properly he called for everybody’s attention. When the crowd settled and quietened, he called Sweet to the stage, and a huge cake with a large ‘50’ on it was wheeled on and everybody sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to him and raised a glass.

Cameras flashed and Sweet then took the microphone and thanked everybody for coming and for all the presents he’d received, and then he said he was never one for speeches, and for everyone to just get down and party and enjoy themselves. The lights went down and the music started up again.

“Present – I didn’t even think of buying him a present until Harmony said she’d got him some cigars…what do you buy the guy that has everything?” Xander asked Harmony.

“Space to put it in!” she suggested, and everybody laughed.

A guy whom Buffy didn’t know came up to and began talking to Spike, who introduced her as ‘my girlfriend’. Buffy smiled and shook the man’s hand. Xander and Harmony went off to dance.

They spent nearly half an hour chatting, and all the time Spike couldn’t relax.
The guy eventually said goodbye and Spike turned his attention back to Buffy. Although, to be fair, he’d included her in the conversation as much as possible.

The music had slowed right down and now, and ‘Move Closer’ by Phyllis Nelson began to play

“Want to dance Kitten? - Come on” Spike gently took Buffy’s hand and led her onto the dance floor. She melted into his embrace and he held her close, nuzzling her neck softly. Buffy gasped and closed her eyes, leaning into his touch, and when he sought her mouth, she kissed him with slow-simmering passion. When they eventually came up for air, Spike softly crooned in her ear,

“Move your body real close, until we feel, feel like we’re really making love…”

“Can we go soon baby, I want to be alone with you”

Buffy whispered. She opened her eyes to look at him, and over Spike’s shoulder Buffy saw a tallish thin girl with long dark hair staring, looking absolute daggers at her. Buffy’s eyes widened, and she stood up stiffly and said,

“Uh ho…that’s Dru I presume………that’s strange…she looks vaguely familiar to me…”

Dru was just about to go up and tear them bodily apart, when from out of nowhere, Lorne came passed, scooping up Dru and carrying her away from the smooching couple.

“Wha-what?” Spike opened his eyes, raising his head from Buffy’s neck.

“Standing behi-oh, where did she go – oh well. If looks could kill, I’d be dead ten times over, she’s got a positively EVIL stare that girl”

Buffy shrugged slightly, closed her eyes, and resumed snuggling, dancing until the song ended.

“Don’t say that kitten…come on, I can see Harmony yawning, shall we go?”

He took her hand and led her off the dance floor, going over to Xander and Harmony.

“Would you mind if we called it a night, and went home?”

“Not at all, Harm’s tired, aren’t you pet?” Xander said, and Harmony nodded.

“Can we go to the restroom first, I don’t think I can make it back to Norwood without having a pee” Harmony picked up her purse and Buffy said she’d go with her.

Drusilla absolutely boiling with emotions, she could hardly breathe. She didn’t know whether to go over and talk to Spike, or to follow the two girls as they made their way to the toilets. She decided on the latter, she needed to get a closer look as to whom she was up against.

“Spike, look” Xander tapped Spike’s elbow, and nodded towards the restrooms. Spike glanced first at Xander, then to where his friend had gestured.

“What?”

“Look who’s just about to follow Buffy and Harm into the toilets – come on, let’s go keep an eye on things” Xander said, and Spike nodded.

He was very annoyed, and then saw that Lorne, his saviour already at least once, if not twice tonight had also seen what Drusilla had planned, and again he way-laid her. Spike’s shoulders dropped in relief when he saw Lorne most determinedly leading Dru away, and he said,

“Oh good on you mate…this is fucking ridiculous – we’ve been over, finished, done for practically four years – she reckons she’s better – I tell you Xand, I KNOW that look in her eye. Drusilla is no more better than I’m a Chinaman – did you see her just, giving Buffy the evil eye when we were dancing?”

“I didn’t, but Harmony did, she said she was glad Dru wasn’t holding a weapon, coz by the look she had in her eyes, she’d have used it. You’re going to have to say something Spike, nip it in the bud, you can’t let her ruin things for you”

“Too bloody right I can’t – why can’t she see – understand? I’d rather be bloody celibate and lonely for the rest of my natural than be with her!”

“Anyway, quiet, the girls are coming back”

Harmony and Buffy were sharing a giggle as they came out of the ladies restroom, and they were surprised to see their men waiting for them so near.

“It was getting very crowded, we didn’t want to loose you – come on, I hope we’re not blocked in!”

One limousine was blocking the way, but luckily the driver was inside and moved. Spike backed Xander’s car out and they drove off to Norwood, and Xander’s flat.

“Want to come in?” Xander asked

“We won’t, if you don’t mind Xand, I know everyone is tired” Spike said

“But I want the full tour before the flat-warming party!” Buffy said.

“That reminds me, it’s a week tomorrow, isn’t it – and that bloody Glory Benson STILL hasn’t got back to me about that show” Spike groused.

“Well, you can probably see her at the end-of-the-month meeting, it’s been brought forward to Tuesday, Cordy told me earlier – you’d already left” Xander said.

“Right I’ll be sure to – well come on then Kitten let’s be off! Night then” the couples kissed cheeks and they got into Spike’s car and drove off with a horn bib and a wave.

Xander and Harmony waved and made their way up to the flat. As they were walking up the second flight of stairs, Harmony asked,

“Why did you really meet us so close to the restroom, Pookie?”

“Because Poppet…I saw that was Dru making her way over to it too, luckily Lorne saw her also and stopped her”

“I thought as much. God, you should have seen the look she was giving Buffy when they were dancing – she looked pure evil – I dread to think what would have happened if she’d been holding a knife or something”

“Yeah! Spike’s furious, she trapped him at the bar too, that’s why he was so long fetching my beer”

“Yeah, I heard him say”

“Is Buffy worried, did she say anything to you?”

“No, but she said she wouldn’t have been surprised if Dru had come waltzing into the toilets and said something. She said she thinks she’s seen her before somewhere, but she can’t remember where”

“I wouldn’t put anything passed that girl, she’s nuttier than a 10lb fruitcake that one. Anyway, come on Poppet, there’s nothing we can do – shall we…” Xander whispered a naughty suggestion to her and Harmony grinned.

“You are naughty! Yes, alright – last one upstairs sits the faucet end!”

**********

“I WANT THE TOILET, GODDAMMIT!” Dru hissed at Lorne, tearing herself away from his tight grasp. Lorne narrowed his eyes at her, something unusual for him, as he was usually VERY tolerant – but tonight was getting ridiculous – farcical even.

“Dru, Dru, look at me, I’m doing…DRU! Look at me! I’m doing this for your own good. You HAVE to leave Spike and his girlfriend alone. He’s moved on, got somebody new, and-“

“NO! NO! NO! NO! – SHE’S NOT – NOT, SHE CAN’T BE HIS GIRLFRIEND” Dru screamed and stamped her feet, putting her hands over her ears. She turned away from him, and thought about up-ending the table full of drinks, she took one step towards it, but Lorne pre-empting her move whirled her round and caught her one arm.
Embarrassed that everybody in a ten-foot radius was staring at them, Lorne looked around for Cecily, but as usual, she was totally off her face, and would be as much use to him as a chocolate teapot.

“What’s going on?” Sweet appeared by them, frowning at a hyperventilating Dru, who was mad-eyed staring and red in the face.

“I’m just telling her some home truths, she won’t leave Spike alone!” Lorne said. He knew saying this would hurt Sweet, but things needed to be said.

“Dru – is this true?”

“I was only saying hello – I wanted him to see I was better, show him…show him my new dress!”

“She only wanted to say hello, Lorne, where’s the harm I that?” Sweet reasoned.

“Then why the tantrum, huh? And she saw him at the bar and spoke earlier – she’d already said hello! I swear when she saw Spike and Buffy dancing she was going to tear them apart, and - Oh, I’ve had enough of this -” Lorne went to turn on his heel.

“Go and get me some more champagne Lorne, Come on Dru come and sit with me” Sweet ordered

Lorne, although annoyed would never argue with Sweet, nodded and left to go to the bar.
Sweet tried to lead Dru back to where he was sitting, but as she was reluctant to move, so he faced her and held her by the shoulders.

“But…I only wanted to say hello to him, that’s all” Dru hung her head and sniffed deeply.

“But you already did, I saw you at the bar talking to him earlier. Look at me, Dru, love. I said, LOOK AT ME!”

Sweet felt his temper rising, Dru raised her tear-streaked face, she felt a little afraid, she didn’t like it when Daddy shouted it always meant trouble.

“Don’t I treat you right, hmm?” Dru looked at him as he continued,

“Don’t I let you do anything that you want, give you pretty things, I give you money, a home…why isn’t that enough for you, tell me Dru, why, WHY?” he shook her, his hands squeezing hard on her arms

“Ow, Daddy, you’re hurting me…I’m sorry Daddy, I’m sorry!” Dru looked scared and Sweet blinked and came out of his temper, realised that a lot of people were staring at them, and here and now was not the time or the place for this.

“Come and sit with me, now” Sweet said in a tone that brooked no argument.

“I need the toilet Daddy, I’m sorry, don’t be mad at me, please Daddy” Sweet cupped her cheek and tried to smile the best he could. He loved this girl, if she let him, but it was Spike in her heart, Sweet knew that. But at least Spike didn’t want to know anymore…

“Come straight back to me”

“I will Daddy, I, I p-promise” Dru went to the toilets. While she was gone, Sweet poured more champagne, and from a huge ring he was wearing, he flipped up the hinged stone and tipped a little powder into one of the brimming glasses. He’d keep Dru with him; he’d keep her doped up if necessary, but she’d come to learn that her place was with him, and nobody else.

Dru quickly made her way back to the dark corner, and saw some people talking to Sweet. He seemed happy and laughing, and when he saw her he held out his arm to her and patted his thighs, so she sat on his lap, and he held her there tightly. She was half scared and half happy but he wasn’t in a bad mood.

“Now you be a good girl, and drink this” Sweet handed her the doctored drink, and dutifully, holding the glass with two hands, Dru drank the champagne down in one.

“Hey! I didn’t mean all at once, never mind, Daddy pour you some more, eh my little one – come on, give Daddy a kiss now, all better, hmm, I’m sorry for shouting little one…there…all better now.”

Child-like, Dru smiled, nodded she kissed him, leaning her head against his. She felt slightly woozy, but thought it was drinking the champagne too quickly.

Lorne watched them, saw Sweet give Dru the glass of champagne and guessed that he’d spiked it with something or other. He felt worried for Dru, he wanted for her to be happy and well, not to slip back into the wild ways of years ago that nearly led to her downfall.

He also knew Spike had had enough, more than enough way back then, and he certainly didn’t want to start anything up with Dru again, not even friendship, which was good, because Lorne knew Dru as Spike did, with her child-like comprehension on reality, with her it had to be all or nothing, black and white, straightforward. There were no grey areas with Dru. She wouldn’t be content with just ‘being friends’. A sudden clutch at his arm bought him out of his reverie, and Cecily lurched in front of him.

“Lorney…Lorne…where’s Da- (hic) Daddy? (hic) I wan Daddy…he got a…a…wos-he-got? (She frowned, trying to think, then continued) Um…spec-special treat. For me. (hic) He s-said s-so” Lorney frowned at the barely comprehensible Cecily swaying in front of him. Her pupils were so widely dilated that you couldn’t tell the colour of her eyes, and he knew she’d already had enough coke to stun an elephant.

“Come on young lady…I think you’d better come with me, come on!” he put his arm around her and hoisted her up to stand straight, but she lurched forward, floppier than a rag doll.

“Who – whoops-a daisy!” Cecily tried to right herself and she began to giggle, then she stopped and began to heave.

One of Sweet’s security men came over, said to Lorne,

“Sweet said to get her out of here, come on, I’ll help you”

He stood the other side of her and between them they practically carried her outside, leaned her over the side of the permanently moored ship and Cecily threw up into the water.

The security man pressed the earpiece to his ear, listened for a few seconds and then said to Lorne,

“Sweet said to take her home, then bring the car back for him” Lorne nodded.

“Okay.” He turned to the now sagged on the floor Cecily saying,

“Well come on then, Little Miss Over-Indulgence, I wouldn’t want to be you in the morning, that’s for sure!” he hoisted her up and carried her to Sweet’s waiting Limo.

Cecily was too far gone to protest and just flopped, her eyes rolled and she was spark out.

“Daddy…where is Cecily going?”

“Home, she’s had too much, now you be a good girl and sit there while I go and talk to these people – okay?”

She nodded and stood so that Sweet could go and talk. She picked up the champagne and drank it, and then she drank Sweet’s glassful too, topping up both glasses until the bottle ran out. She drank those too, and a couple more drinks that were on the table besides – and then she decided to go in search of more…seeing people coming out of a small room laughing and pinching their noses, Dru wandered in and saw some people snorting Coke.

She was offered some, and took it. Somebody else then handed her a bulky rolled cigarette, and at first she shook her head, then she changed her mind and took a huge draw, only coughing a little. The mini nuclear explosion that occurred in her brain shocked her, and she felt a rushing sensation, then she was floating giddily around.

In a euphoric dream-like trance, she drifted through a sea of faces, laughing, talking…there was one face she was looking for…but she couldn’t find him…she looked and looked.

“Dru…Dru, come on honey, time to-“

“Spike? – Oh, oh Lorney, it’s you”

Lorne could tell she was far gone, but still looking for Spike it seemed…

“Come on Cup-cake, Daddy wants to take you home”

“But I can’t go…where’s Spike – I want, Spike – please” She began to struggle, but Lorne held her firm, ignoring her questions.

“He said…he said he wouldn’t leave me…” Dru wanted to cry

“Baby…that was years ago, he’s got someone else now…try and be happy for him, eh?” Lorne thumbed away her tears. Sweet came up to them both, and said to Lorne,

“Good, you’re back, I want to go now. What’s the matter with her?”

“Oh, she’s had a little too much Champagne Daddy, that’s all… come on then, let’s go home” Lorne went to lead them out, when Sweet said,

“Not you, I want you to organise the presents, to get them back to the house. You and that chap from security, you can leave her with me, she’ll be okay…oh – Oh bloody hell – second thoughts, you better help her to the car” Dru had suddenly passed out, so Lorne picked her up and carried her out to the car.

From inside the car Sweet said,

“Try not to be too long, I want you home with me” The window slid up silently and the limousine drove off.

“Tote that bar, lift that bale…bloody hell Daddy, stick a broom up my ass and I’ll sweep as well…” Lorne grumbled to himself as he went back inside the venue to sort out all the presents Sweet had been given.

Inside the limo, a surprising lucid Sweet stared down at the girl he loved, stroking her hair. Dru, for her part was totally out of it…

Sweet was thinking. There was nothing else for it, he didn’t want to loose him from LA, but needs must. Spike, would HAVE to go, and it would have to be soon.

**********


Willy thought to himself that there were better ways of spending his night off. The ski mask he was wearing itched like crazy, and he was still in some slight discomfort. He stretched out his leg to ease the slight ache, but quickly withdrew it and sat hunched up again when he heard the car engine.
Some muffled words, a car door slam, a toot on the horn the car driving away and the sound of heels clicking on the sidewalk getting closer ……… closer ……… the jangle of keys………she was humming to herself – he could see the wisps of breath on the cold night air…………

Glory had just put the key into the lock and turned, the door opened about six inches, when she was suddenly rushed, a strong hand clamped over her mouth pulling back her head and terrifyingly, she heard the click of a gun being cocked by her temple.

“Right…let’s just get inside shall we…scream, and you’re dead, understand?” Willy hissed.

Allowing for slight movement, Glory nodded her head, she was absolutely terrified.

“Good, glad we understand each other!” Willy suddenly whirled her around, and bought the handle of the starting gun down into her face, effectively pistol-whipping her into unconsciousness.

With a little difficulty he dragged her into the apartment, and set about getting her tied up. He bound her arms tightly by the wrists to the iron bed head, and spread-eagled her legs tying each ankle to the bottom bedposts. For good measure he’d taped up that filthy mouth of hers, as he didn’t want to listen to all the threats that were obviously going to be flying his way. It was then Willy realised that he should have stripped her off first, so he then set about tearing her clothes off. Glory had come to, and began to struggle and try and scream – but she knew it was a fruitless task.

Willy had taken a Viagra, just in case. He stripped off, knelt between her spread legs and ran his hands up her thighs. He could feel her muscles tense as she struggled to get free.

“You know…I used to think you were lovely. Soft and fragrant…a real treat.”

Glory began to swipe her mouth across her pillow, trying to remove the tape from her mouth, she half succeeded.

“Please – Willy I’m…I’m sorry – untie me – we can work this out!”

Willy scowled and hit her bottom hard making her scream.

“DON’T take me for a fuckin’ idiot – no. I’M calling the shots tonight. YOU did the dirty on me, drugging me and having me raped – well I just thought I’d return the favour – except I want you to remember this clearly. I’m living under a possible death sentence here – whoever you got to fuck me over – well lady, I just wanted to even the score – if I’ve got AIDS………then so have YOU! He surged forward, entering her tight ass without a lubricant, Glory screamed and Willy grabbed a pillow and put it over her head, so he didn’t have to listen to her foul mouth…unfortunately for him, this obviously wasn’t the first time for her like it had been for him, and it didn’t hurt her quite so much…he’d have to hurt her in other ways then…biting, slapping…………he wished he’d got some of the ‘toys’ that had been used on him…………still, he could ‘improvise’.

Two hours later, Glory had been reduced to a quivering bruised wreck. Willy happily sang as he got dressed. He picked up the starting pistol, and aimed it at her, pulling the trigger. Glory’s eyes had gone huge, and when she just heard a small click, which Willy did repeatedly to show her that the gun was useless, he grinned, holding his arms up showing her the pistol.

“See sweetheart – useless – just a starting pistol. Well, don’t bother to get up, I’ll see myself out – oh, and um…it’s been fun, but I don’t think I want to see you again…you’re a really lousy fuck by the way. Bye then!”

Willy left cheerily whistling, closing the door behind him. He’d left her tied up, knowing that tomorrow, or maybe the day after the cleaner would find her.

Glory couldn’t think straight. She was I pain yes – but the one thing that she’d never given a thought to, was when she’d got Alphonse to rape Willy, she never gave HIV a thought…

**********
chapter 31 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 31

Dru was sitting on the sofa, staring off into space.

“Dru…DRU – I said, do you want to take Daddy his morning coffee?” Lorne had put the tray down on the coffee table. She turned dead eyes to him, and like an automaton, she moved to do as he’s suggested.

“Are you okay, plumcious? – Taken your medicine?” Dru just nodded

“Still a bit hung over from last night?” Lorne looked concerned

Dru just shrugged and looked sad.

“Well look, do you want to go back to bed – oh god, what’s happened now?” The loud thud from upstairs had Lorne dashing up the stairs two at a time, he flung open Cecily’s bedroom door.

“Oh god cup-cake, are you alright?” Cecily had fallen out of bed, and was trying to crawl. Her eyes rolled and she began to heave. Lorne tried to get her to the bathroom, but didn’t quite make it with her, and she threw up over the bedroom and hall carpets.

“Baby – couldn’t you have…oh god, is that blood? Hell yes it is…oh god, um – Dru………DRU………D“ Dru appeared at the top of the stairs

“There you are – go tell Daddy to phone the doctor – HIS doctor, okay – NOW please, I’m worried about Cecily” Without comment Dru went back downstairs.

“Come on Cec………come on girl…let me get………there…soon have you better” Lorne carried Cecily into the bathroom, and a minute or so later, Sweet came in with Dru following

“What’s all this Dru was …oh god – “ Sweet surveyed the state of Cecily, and the carpets

“Have you phoned your doctor – she’s vomiting blood” Lorne asked trying to wipe Cecily’s face.

“I’m right on it” Sweet flipped open his cell phone and did just that.

**********

“I don’t believe this! She’s not in AGAIN!” Spike angrily threw down the phone scowling.

“I take it you’re referring to Glory?” Cordelia said, looking up from her monitor

“Yeah…nobody knows where she is, she SHOULD be in, AND there’s no answer from her home or cell phone numbers either or so one of the researchers just told me”

“Well no doubt if she doesn’t turn up tomorrow night for the meeting, they might send a search-party out for her” Cordy said.

“MeetingTomorrow? What meeting tomorrow?”

“Didn’t Xander tell you, I asked him to, the monthly meeting has been bought forward to tomorrow instead of Friday – you’d already left when the diktat came down from on high”

“Oh right, yeah, now I come to think of it, he did say something…
And that’s another thing, this monthly meeting wasn’t supposed to be happening at all – I had THAT from the horses mouth – doesn’t think anything of telling me to drop everything here and summoning me to bloody ‘Fort Sweet’ to a meeting when you were on holiday and Xander was out, as if I didn’t have a bloody ‘nough to do– ‘I’ve called you in because I won’t make the monthly meeting this time’ he said, I knew then when he said it, it was bollocks – he’s flown in from the Caribbean before now to be at a meeting. AND the meeting I had with him was, well, – I’d already got things covered, what does he think, I don’t know my own job after all these fucking years?” Spike raged. Cordy frowned, stopped typing and swivelled her chair to face him.

She’d never seen him like this before. Spike was usually so laid back and calm, letting things wash over him.

“Okay Spike, what’s the matter?”

“What?”

“You. I know it’s more than this, this thing with Glory. It’s more than Sweet too, you don’t usually let things get to you like this”

Spike looked at his feet for a few seconds and heaved a sigh.

“Did something happen at the party last night” Spike looked her straight in the eye.

“Yeah. Yeah it did. And I’m afraid it’s going to start ALL over again – but this time…” Spike shut up as a messenger came in, handed Cordelia some post and went to leave.

“S’cuse me, is - Glory Benson in?” Spike asked

“No, somebody is going to go around to her place at lunchtime though” the messenger said

“Right thanks”

“Any message?”

“No. Yes – just get her to phone me soon as possible, okay?” the messenger nodded and left.

“Want to go to coffee and tell me all about things?” Cordy asked, and Spike nodded, and they both went out of the office.

***

“So you see, I just don’t know what to do – I’ve got Buffy to think about too – if Dru – huh, I say IF, what I mean is, Dru is STILL totally unhinged – there’s no telling WHAT she might do – and if she tried to hurt Buffy, well………”

Cordelia nodded, frowned and said,

“I see your predicament…can’t you, well as Lorne seems to be on your side from what you tell me happened last night, can’t you get him to have a word with Sweet for you?”

“And say what? Keep Looney Tunes off the scene – she could turn up anywhere. She sees Buffy as a rival to me, and I know that there’s no stopping her if she’s determined to do something.”

“She needs locking up”

“Huh! You can say that again!” Spike concurred. They could both hear Buffy and Harmony coming along the corridor.

“Do me a favour Cordy, say nothing, – I want to figure some things out, and I don’t want Buffy worried unnecessarily, okay?” Spike asked, just as Buffy and Harmony entered the café. Cordy nodded and said,

“Sure “ Then she called out–

“Hey okay then Harm, Katmandu is the capital of where?”

Smiling, carrying her latte over to where they were sitting, Harmony proudly said,

“Katmandu is the capital of Nepal!” Buffy came over with a juice and kissed Spike on the cheek, and then she sat down next to him.

“Hey, babe – have you heard the latest?”

“What’s that kitten?”

“Somebody just told the messengers in reception. Glory’s cleaner found her all bound up, tied to the bed – the place had been ransacked – burglars so they reckon” Buffy said

“Tied to the bed? That sounds like a lover getting revenge to me – why else would she be tied to the bed?” Cordelia said, grinning.

Everyone grinned and agreed

“She’s been playing kinky games…ha, serves her right!” Harmony said. Xander came over and said,

“Who’s been playing kinky games?”

“Glory’s cleaner found her tied to the bed, apparently”

“Did she –oh when was this?”

“Somebody came into reception and told the messengers, just as we got in from the quiz rehearsals” Buffy said

“They tried to say it was burglars” Harmony said

“Ah, and burglars would just tie you up…I see what you mean – oh bloody hell – she hasn’t been around for a while – I wonder how long she’s been tied up?” Xander mused.

“Who cares, bitch probably got what she deserved…anyway, I must go – I’m already staying late because of the meeting tomorrow night” Cordy got up leaving the others chatting.

“See you later Cordy…hey Spike…tomorrow at the meeting, you could say, ‘I’ve been trying to get hold of you Glory, I KNOW you’ve been TIED UP lately…”

“Oh very droll, don’t THINK she’d appreciate it though, do you?” Spike said smiling.

*********


“Well….from what I can tell, I’d say she overdosed, but not quite enough to kill her, she was lucky this time though, her heart rate is tremendously accelerated – she was on some amphetamine based drugs I presume?” The doctor continued to examine Cecily, shining a pen-torch into her still widely dilated pupils of her eyes.

“I’d like to do an endoscopy” the doctor stood up and began to pack away his stethoscope

“What’s that?” Sweet asked, then wished he hadn’t. Anything medical – any sort of invasive procedure had him running for cover usually.

“It’s a tube with a camera on the end of it to look into internal organs. I’d like to look at her stomach, I think she has a bleeding ulcer – that’s what the blood was. She’s underweight (the doctor flashed a look at a Zombified Dru, and thought she too was severely underweight and so obviously on something also)
I’ll book her into the clinic, bring her in tomorrow, 10 o’clock” As Sweet had suddenly taken a ‘back seat’ and had moved away, the doctor spoke quietly to Lorne.

“The other girl…what is she on?”

“Oh Dru, don’t worry about her, she’s um…she’s schizophrenic…we keep an eye on her, don’t worry, she’s on proper prescribed medication”

“Right. Only it looks to me like a few good decent meals put their way wouldn’t do either of them any harm, but saying that, don’t give this young lady anything to eat today, I want a completely empty stomach when you bring her in in the morning, just sips of water only”

“I understand” Lorne said.

“I’ve given her something to bring down her heart rate, and she should sleep pretty much all day, okay?” Lorne nodded again and the doctor left.

When Lorne came back into the bedroom after seeing the doctor out, Dru was sitting by the bed reading, Sweet was nowhere to be seen.

“You okay there sweetie – don’t worry, she’ll be okay, you help me look after her, yes?” Dru just gave him a tiny smile and nodded.

“Good girl, now I’ve got to make Daddy some more fresh coffee, see you later”

**********

“Come on, come ON! Answer you fucking MORON!” Glory paced her lounge holding the phone.

“Hi, you reached ME, the Bestest Best Dresser in the Business – I’m not avail – Hello?” the Ansa-phone message was cut short by Alphonse answering.

“Alphonse – thank fuck for – look, I NEED to know something”

“GLORY – What can I do for you, you’re Queen Bitchiness – Willy want a rematch?”

“Just SHUT the FUCK up for a moment and tell me something…have you – “ when it came to it, Glory couldn’t bring herself to say it.

“Have I what, Bitch?”

“Have you…(she swallowed hard) I need to know, have you got AIDS?”

“WHAT!!” Alphonse shrieked totally outraged.

“Well THANKYOU VERY-“ he began

“SHUT UP! I NEED TO KNOW!”

“Listen dearie, if that little barman is ill, then it wouldn’t show up yet – oh fuck, OH MY GOD - HE hasn’t got it, has he?”

“I DON’T FUCKING CARE ABOUT HIM!” Glory hissed, then she continued

“Are you HIV positive?”

“What – why do you want to know for?”

“ARE YOU?”

“Truthfully – I don’t know”

“OH FUCKING…JESUS CHRIST AL!”

“What does it bother YOU for?”

“You’ve GOT to be the only fucking poof I know who hasn’t had the test…SHIT!”

“Why are you so bothered about…oh, OH, I get it! Willy’s all enlightened now, isn’t he – and he’s done what, threatened you?”

“I’ve got to go…” Glory ended the call. There as no way she was telling Al what had happened. She felt sick and shaky, hell, she couldn’t even hold the cigarette still enough to light she was shaking so much. She’d have to have a test now, and wait three months. She knew one thing, she was going to KILL Willy REALLY kill him, stone fucking dead!

Al sat there thinking…ever since his lover died of AIDS five years ago, he’d um’ed and ah’ed whether or not to have the test. They’d always been careful, and used condoms and spermicide. But now, every time he got a cough or cold or even a spot, he scared himself shitless, wondering if it was the beginning of the end for him, but he couldn’t quite bring himself to have the test, ignorance was bliss. He thought that if ever he got into a serious relationship again, then he’d probably take the plunge…over the years, he’s had so many friends die…

Glory was panicking. She was crying and trying to think rationally. Then it suddenly came to her – Alphonse – if HE had the test, and it was clear – then they’d be alright. He’d said to her he hadn’t had sex for months before de-flowering Willy, so the first test would be enough, no incubation time…she began to breath easier…all she had to do, was to get Alphonse to have the test………

**********


“Spike Carling………Hello, Spike Carling’s office” Silence. Spike, irritated was just going to throw the receiver down in disgust, when it suddenly struck him who might be making these ‘silent’ calls to him.

“Is that you, Dru – because if it is – (CLICK) – hello………hello? BOLLOCKS!” Spike threw down the receiver, picked it up again and pressed ‘0’ for the switchboard.

“Yes well, I’m sorry, but it’s either all calls come through you via the switchboard, or you get maintenance to change my phone number here today, choice is yours” Spike put the phone down. Cordelia came over to him and put three pieces of paper in front of him to sign.

“Another silent call?”

“Yeah” Spike rubbed his face and sighed, picked up a pen and scribbled his signature on the sheets. Cordy gathered them up and said,

“Look, I’ll swap phones with you, that way you won’t miss any important calls, you can just come over to my desk” Spike brightened at this suggestion

“Are you sure – that would be great, you are a good girl…I wish the solution to ALL my problems were as easy as that” Cordy smiled and said,

“Well, who knows? Tonight you may be able to solve a few more”

“Tonight?” Spike looked puzzled

“The meeting – end of month one – tonight, see Sweet, and more than likely Glory”

“She’s in, is she………good. There have been that many rumours flying around about her, I don’t know what to believe. First I heard she was tied to the bed, then it was by the ankles over the balcony, I don’t think her place even HAS a balcony! Then I heard the place was ransacked, then somebody in the lift said it was set on fire, she’d been there four days, two days, a week…she’d been very badly beaten up, and somebody else said that there wasn’t a mark on her”

Cordelia nodded

“Yeah, I know. I was talking to one of the researchers from her office when I was in the elevator this morning, she said she went to see her last night, and everything in the place was just as normal, not an ornament or lamp out of place the DVD and Video players intact – hardly ransacked, she wouldn’t be able to get replacements within 24 hours. And as for being very badly beaten, she’s got a slight scab on the bridge of her nose and two black eyes, just little marks underneath”

“Chinese whispers………sounds like it could be an insurance fraud – or as Harmony said, she was playing kinky games and her partner just left her tied up!”

The phone on Spike’s desk rang, and Cordelia said,

“I’ll get that, shall I?”

“Spike Carling’s office………hello – Spike Carling’s office, can I help you?” Cordelia’s eyes slid to Spike’s and he mouthed ‘silent?’ Cordelia nodded

“Keep talking to them” Spike whispered and went over to Cordelia’s desk.

“Spike Carling’s office, can I help you?” Cordelia repeated

“Switchboard, can you trace a call please?……… You can’t – oh well, never mind” he put the phone down and turned back to her

“Cordy – forget it” Spike said, so Cordelia put the phone down.

“Switchboard can’t trace it…”

“You know what might be worth you getting? One of those phones that flash up whose calling – the number – or name, if you programme it in, you know like your cell phone does. My mother is always amazed that I answer the phone with a ‘Hi mom!’ she thinks I’m psychic!”

“Yeah – could do…or I could just do………this” Spike picked up the phone and dialled.

He spoke for two minutes and then put the phone down, smiling.

**********


“Dru, who are you calling?” Lorne asked. So engrossed in her task, she hadn’t heard him coming into the office. She had her back to him, standing at Sweet’s desk.

Dru quickly slammed down the phone and turned guiltily

“No-one!”

“That’s not true is it…come on, out of Daddy’s office, you know very well that you shouldn’t really be in here when he isn’t”

“But I…what are you doing – no…NO – LORNE, DON’T DO - STOP, STOP IT!” Lorne went to the phone and picked it up, Dru made a dive for the receiver, but Lorne leaned out of the way, so then she tried to cut him off by pressing the cut-off buttons, just then Sweet came into his office and asked,

“What’s going on, what’s all this noise…Dru, what are you doing in here?” and she looked wide-eyed and petrified, and she ran out crying.

Lorne pressed last number re-dial, and it rang.

“Spike Carling’s office”

“Hi Spike, yes, you’re right, it was her – I caught her red-handed, I pressed last number redial…okay, I’m sorry she keeps bothering you, bye” Lorne put the phone down. Sweet’s face looked thunderous, Lorne said,

“She’s making nuisance calls to Spike. Silent calls. She’s got to learn to leave him alone Daddy – he’s getting really, and I DO mean REALLY sick of all this from her”

“All what?” Sweet steeled himself to hear more of the truth

“She won’t leave him alone – I don’t like telling tales, but it’s like I told you at the party – I spent over half the night stopping her from bothering him – he’s got that singer as a girlfriend now, he doesn’t want to know Dru, he said it’s best if he isn’t even friends with her, because he knows it won’t be enough for her”

Sweet looked serious and nodded.

“Where’s Cecily?”

“At the clinic still, they will bring her here when she’s finished having those tests done on her stomach”

“Right, check with the doc that she’ll be well enough to travel, and get some things packed for us all…we’re going to the boat for a little holiday”

“Okay, when?”

“Today”

“But don’t forget you’ve got the monthly meeting tonight”

“Cancel it………no second thoughts, I’ll do it, but we can leave straight after, okay?”

“Yes Daddy…shall I put Ahmed on alert, are we getting to the boat by helicopter?”

“Yes…and um, where’s my diary”

“Here Daddy”

“Have I any other meetings this week?” Lorne flipped open the book and scanned the page for the rest of the week.

“The accountant on Wednesday morning…we can do that via a computer link up if you like…um golf with the head of Svensson Electronics on Thursday afternoon…and er…let me see, your um…doctor on Friday”

“My doctor, what for?”

“Not your doctor, doctor………the um, ‘recreational substance’ doctor”

“Oh him, oh. Well, you better call him to come this afternoon instead, and cancel the golf, send my apologies”

“Yes Daddy, anything else?”

“Not that I can think of…I’m going to see if I can find Dru, have a little chat with her”

“Don’t………”

“Don’t what?” Sweet asked firmly, standing in the doorway, not liking to be told that word………

“Don’t f-forget the meeting’s booked for 7 0’clock, will you”

“I won’t” Sweet left. Lorne had changed what he was going to say. Originally he was going to say ‘don’t be too hard on her’, but it was probably what she needed, a few home truths while she was lucid enough to understand them………


**********

“Aye up Willy, how’s the old ‘WAR WOUND!”
Pavayne eased his bulk onto one of the bar stools and grinned to the back of the white-jacketed barman, who turned around, the smile went from his face, as it wasn’t Willy.

“Sorry sir, but Willy is…well, truth be known, we don’t know, he was out sick, came back to work for a few days, then we haven’t seen him again for…this is the third day running he hasn’t turned up for work, boss has tried phoning him, but…” the small dark-haired barman shrugged as he explained.

Pavayne wasn’t happy at all. He’d have to pay for his drinks now, and he was down to his last $20

“Anyway, I’m Jonathan, what can I get you?”

“Scotch, make it a large one”

“Sir”

The barman put a little drip mat in front of him and served his drink.

“That’ll be $6” Pavayne almost winced as he threw the $10 note onto the counter.

He’d have to go in search of Willy for himself, he wanted his starting pistol back, and he needed to find out the date of the show, coz if Willy had decided to renege on their deal, well, he better have found somewhere safe to hole up in, coz if this deal went tits up………

**********
chapter 32 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 32

“Okay then baby, I’ll come straight to your place after the meetings over. Shall I bring in take-away or what?”

“I’ll ring for pizza, as the meeting might over-run and I’ll get starving so – is that alright with you?”

“Fine – okay then Kitten, I’ll see you later – have fun”

“Don’t forget about that TV programme of Glory’s” Buffy gave him a light kiss and left with Harmony for the studios to do the quiz.

“I won’t, see you later babe” Spike went back into the office and continued work. Cordelia came in carrying a pile of paperwork and some folders.

“Oh, hey…want a hand with those?” Spike, ever the gentleman could see Cordy struggling to put them all on the table without dropping them everywhere, and came over and took over half of them off her, putting them down on the desk.

“Thanks…these are for the meeting later………Sweet has these so called ‘brilliant’ ideas…doesn’t think who has to do all the bloody work though” Cordelia was grinning

“That’s true…so tell me, if THAT won’t wipe that big grin off your face, are you going to share the good news?” Spike was smiling too.

“Go on then, as it’s you. He’s got it! Officially that is – the press call is on Friday night, and he wants me with him!”

“I see. Now tell me in words I can understand…who’s got what, why, when and-“

“Wes – he’s OFFICIALLY the new Bond! I know it was supposed to be official before, but that was just official that he was in the running – this time, he’s GOT IT! He’s had dinner with the producers and that, and he beat off all the competition, it’ll be announced on Friday – so no spilling the beans before hand – the bookies favourite was that black guy, I forget his name, but he won’t sign for a three picture deal, so – my Wes has got it!”

“Great, only…”

“Only what?”

“It was Xander’s flat warming on Friday”

“What –hell – oh……… poo!”

“Don’t worry, I‘m sure he’ll understand”

“Yeah…but I mean, I just CAN’T pass up a chance like this, can I?”

“Course you can’t, like I say, he’ll understand”

“So, I’ve told you my news…going to tell me what you did to stop Miss Loco from phoning?”

“Okay, fairs fair I suppose…come on, I’ll help you take these upstairs for the meeting and tell you on the way” Spike said, picking up the big armful of folders.
***




“Simple as that then eh? Well, you did need to say something it was creepy………there. Pencils, the folders, water carafe and glasses…anything I forgot?” Cordelia looked at the tables then at Spike

“Over head projector?” Spike asked with his brows raised. Cordelia shook her head.

“No. Not this month – I think he was so embarrassed about his hand shaking so much when he was trying to point out things last time, that’s why we’ve got the folders. Guess who spent the best part of an hour photocopying yesterday afternoon – this is what I was on about – as if I haven’t got enough to do”

“Well you want to delegate, send stuff to the other secretaries, from what I can see they do little else than stand at the water-cooler gossiping talking about their love-lives! – And that one upstairs – god alone knows how she types, have you SEEN her fingernails – they’re out here!”

Cordelia smiled

“Oh, I know who you mean, that’s Marcia…but the thing is, if I do the job, I know it’s done then”

“You’re like me…too conscientious. Shall we go for a coffee, I know it’s only 9.30am but!”


“Yes, come on” So Spike and Cordelia went up to the café, on the way passing Glory’s office. There seemed to be an awful lot of people in there, milling about, and Cordy said,

“Looks like she’s here then, judging by all those in there. Did you want to go in and see her?”

“It’ll keep, my body needs caffeine at the moment!”

The people seemed to part around Glory, revealing her sitting on her desk, wearing a scarf, dark glasses, and a neck brace. Both her wrists were bandaged too.

“Ever the bloody drama queen” Spike muttered, holding the door open for Cordelia as they made their way to the café.

**********



Getting their security passes, Harmony and Buffy walked from the reception area to the lifts to go to the fourth floor.
Already standing there waiting was Latino singing star, Rico Martinez.

“Oh my god! I haven’t seen him for about two years, we did a Florida Sun-Splash show together – oh my, isn’t he HOT!” Harmony squeaked to Buffy

“Down girl, you’re spoken for, remember?” Buffy said with a grin, although she had to admit, he was very good looking...IF you like that sort of thing!

“Oh I know that! Can’t blame a girl for looking – MY GOD – he’s seen me!” Harmony quickly spun round to face Buffy; she had her eyes closed and a big grin on her face

“He’s coming over!” Buffy managed to whisper, hardly moving her lips – and Harmony squeezed Buffy’s arm, then she heard the deep velvety voice say,

“Hola! Harmony – it is you – wow – let me look at you – you look AMAZING!” Harmony turned around, beaming a smile

“R-Rico! Hola! What are you doing here – oh – I’m such a klutz – I – AAHH -AAAAAAHHHHH!”

Buffy turned and looked in horror as the lift announced it’s arrival with a ‘DING’, Harmony had dropped her security pass, and both she and Rico bent to retrieve it at the same time, resulting in a clash of heads, when they both stood, or in Rico’s case staggered, he had blood pouring down his face, and one of Harmony’s crown’s stuck in his forehead

“OH MY GOD! Quick – um somebody, HELP ME!” Buffy shouted, not knowing who to try and comfort first, The Latino guy looked very rocky on his feet, and Harmony just about managed to lean against the wall, clutching her mouth.

“Buthy – Buthy – ‘ook, my toot oh!” Harmony began to cry trying to cover her mouth, meanwhile Rico had put his hand up to his head and felt the tooth embedded in his forehead, and had passed out in a dead faint at the sight of blood.

“My toot – ‘ook!” Harmony raised her top lip to show Buffy the filed down peg
of her own tooth that had been the anchor for the false crown. Buffy grimaced.

“Oh god…you can’t go on TV looking like that – oh hell, um, HELP! WE NEED SOME MEDICAL ATTENTION HERE”

Buffy shouted, and two security guards and one of the receptionists came running over to them.

Ten minutes later, Buffy was sitting in the ‘Green Room’ with a cup of vending machine coffee, awaiting news of her friend and teammate.

There was a knock on the door, and a very harassed looking woman, wearing glasses and carrying a clipboard stuck her head around the door.

“Are you Buffy?”

Buffy stood and said,

“Yes. How’s Harmony, have you heard – I’m told I can’t switch on my cell– excuse me – I SAID EXCUSE ME!” Rudely, the woman had left Buffy mid-sentence, so she marched over to the door and yanked it open. Out side the harassed looking woman was talking to a guy who was wearing earphones around his neck, he was also carrying a clipboard. Both were talking at the same time.

“Er, excuse me – but would SOMEBODY please tell me what’s going on?” The two people stopped talking and looked at her. the man said,

“And you are?”

“I’m Buffy, Buffy Summers. I was here to do the Celebrity quiz, but my team-mate and friend had an accident downstairs ten minutes ago and nobody will tell me what’s happening”

“Which are you then, soap star, singer, writer, or sports person?” the man asked her.
“I’m sorry, I don’t under-“ Buffy frowned,

“It’s quite simple Miss, what do you do? – Are you a singer or actress” the woman asked

“Singer, I’m a singer, what does that have to do with-“ Again Buffy was interrupted

“She can go with the guy who was going to be Rico’s partner – problem solved, so it can all still go ahead – thank god, right, get everyone onset – we must get the rehearsal started in the next ten minutes” The guy left and the woman said to Buffy,

“Follow me”

“Will somebody PLEASE tell me what’s happened to Harmony? – Oh…I give up!”

Heaving a sigh, Buffy trudged resignedly behind the rapidly moving away from her harassed woman, who paused at the fire doors, and encouraged Buffy to,

“Hurry up, we only have five minutes, I’ll see what I can find out for you, now,
go in there…have you been to make-up? – (She scrutinised Buffy’s face) and said,

“You’ll do, I’ll get Rachel to put a bit of powder on your nose…um, and your new partner will be here directly”

Buffy was shown into a room, where there were some vaguely familiar faces from soap opera’s, a couple of athletes and one writer she knew.

“Good morning!” Buffy said to be polite, and everyone was friendly back to her, making her feel a little more at ease.

“Was your friend taken ill or something?” One of the girl athletes asked, and Buffy, explained what happened

“………So when they both stood, he’d got the tooth embedded in his forehead – and poor Harmony was missing a crown” A few people winced. The door opened and Buffy heard the woman with the clipboard say,

“There, in you go, now introduce yourselves, TWO MINUTES EVERYBODY PLEASE…Two minutes.”

Everybody started to throw away paper cups, put away magazines and stand up an tidy themselves. Buffy turned around to see who her new quiz partner would be.

“YOU!” She was shocked, then she thought, *shit, Spike’s gonna LOVE this, NOT!*

“Buffy…how are you?”

“I’m um…I’m fine thanks, Angel. How are you?”

“Peachy!” he said with his sickly grin

“Okay people, follow me!” The woman with the clipboard propped open the door and everybody dutifully filed out into the corridor, Buffy being the last.

“Miss Summers, your friend Harmony has been taken to her own dentist, she insisted that she wouldn’t see any other one – she has a fear of them apparently, and her own has calming sessions for her or something, she’ll be alright though, but she won’t be back in time to record the show”

“Oh, um, right…thankyou” they all walked on set in the studio.

“Right settle……PEOPLE, PLEASE…settle down” the director clapped his hands and everybody stopped talking.

“Right, now the run through has slightly changed, due to circumstances beyond our control, so things will now be like this………”

***********
Lunchtime.
“Oh, he’s not there? – Only his mobile is switched off too” Buffy sighed

“Actually, it’s here, on my desk, re-charging that’s why you can’t get through to him” Cordelia explained.

“Have you heard how Harmony is?”

“We got a call from her dentist, and I’ll tell Xander as soon as he comes in – want me to give a message to Spike – you sound very down, don’t worry about Harmony, she’ll be okay you know”

“I know that Cordy, it’s not that…I – oh god, Spike’s gonna go ape-shit when he finds out”

“Accidents happen!”

“Not that…it’s who they’ve put with me. We’re teams of singers or soap actors or athletes or writers” Buffy explained

“Yes, and?”

“And well, two minutes before we go on-set…he’s going to be ever so angry, but it isn’t my fault!”

“Are you going to tell me who they’ve-“

“Angel”

“ANGEL? – As in Angel Stebson Angel, he of the Sharks – well ex of?” Cordelia said alarmed

“Yup – he was Rico’s partner”

“Oh. Oh dear”

“Well thanks for putting me at ease! Oh dear indeed – honestly Cordy – everybody here is SO rushed and wants everything done yesterday, that I didn’t have time to say no – he’s going to be mad, isn’t he?”

“Well…” Cordy began cautiously, knowing Spike couldn’t STAND Angel in any way, shape or form.

“Cordy! You’re supposed to be making me feel better here!” Buffy whined, frowning

“Do you want me to tell him for you?”

“No. It’s probably best coming from me, can explain fully then” Buffy said flatly, and although not her fault, she didn’t relish the task.

“Okay, well good luck! – For the quiz, I mean!”

“Thanks………I’ll see you tomorrow”

“Okay, bye then – don’t forget, it’s the meeting tonight, so Spike will be late, his mobile will be charged but will be switched off still”

“Yeah, thanks, bye”

“Bye” Cordy put the phone down wide-eyed and brows raised. Spike wasn’t going to like this little turn up, not one little bit…

*********

When Pavayne got home, he found his starting pistol on the floor in the hall, crudely wrapped in a brown paper bag. Along side it was a note that read;

‘Show on Friday the 28th, studio 5, West, lot 9, Burbank – Willy. PS, I gotta lie low for a while.’

Pavayne screwed up the paper bag and checked his pistol over – it was fine He re-read the note and put it in his top pocket. Well, surprise, surprise, Willy hadn’t let him down on EVERYTHING…if he could they exclusive picture rights on this little blonde singer’s career going down, he’d be rich!

**********

“Okay then Buffy, the next question is yours” The compere beamed at her, and Buffy stood up straight – she felt Angel’s hand on her shoulder, and ignored it.

All through rehearsals she’d repeatedly asked him not to touch her, but Angel said that all the other’s couples were doing it, some even hugging when they got the answers right.

“What year, did Abraham Lincoln take office as president – was it A. 1851, B. 1855, C. 1861, or D. 1866 – the countdown starts…NOW”

Quick as a flash, Buffy pressed the ‘C’ button, and the clock stopped on one second.

“And you’ve picked ‘C’, 1861 – correct!” the audience clapped and Buffy smiled

“Okay, Angel, your question – What is the capital of Surinam is it - A. Caracas, B. La Paz, C. Paramaribo or is it D. Lima – the time starts………NOW”

“Um…let me think…Caracas is…no, er-“

“Hurry up! – its Paramaribo!” Buffy hissed.

“Hold on…don’t want to get this wrong…Lima, that’s Peru…”

“Angel – the time –its Paramaribo press ‘C’!”

“Okay, I’m getting hassled here – (he grinned) I’ll press ‘C’ – if you’re wrong Missy! He turned and gave Buffy a wink, she in turn was glassy-eyed and had a fixed grin, but inside she was seething. He pressed ‘C’, and the answer flashed up correct – just a second or two before the 10 second ‘time-out’.

Buffy breathed a sigh –

“Don’t mess about – you get timed out, WE are out, and I want to raise some money for the children!” Buffy hissed. Angel just smiled maddeningly and put his hand on her waist.

**********


Everybody was seated at the meeting, except Xander and Glory. Spike played with the pencil, and the door opened and Xander walked in and took his seat, saying quietly to Spike and Cordelia,

“She’s at home, they’ve like super-glued a temporary cap on for her, she’s going to have the proper one fitted on Friday”

“Friday – that’s your party day – and that’s another thing Xand, I can’t come – you see it’s-“ Cordelia was cut short by the door opening, and one of the researchers wheeling Glory into the room in a wheelchair. There were lots of eye rolls and sighs from the others - boy did this girl know how to go for maximum impact.
She still had the dark glasses on and the neck brace and bandages on her wrists, but had foregone the scarf over her head.

“Doesn’t matter, I’ll tell you later” Cordy whispered to Xander, who just nodded.

“Right then, as we are all here – can we get on. I want you all to open the folders in front of you and take out the first sheet – sheet ‘A’ - Music Sales figures…I want to know why they are down” Sweet said……………………

**********

“Okay, things are hotting up now, Ladies and Gentlemen, with just two of our couples going head-to-head for the final, we have for the Sports team, two of our top athletes from track and field, Bobby Johnson and the lady that’s smashed all records at last years Olympics AND Bobby’s fiancé, Lacy Morris”

The compere paused to let the audience applaud, and then he continued,

“And on the pop stars side, we have the lovely Buffy and her partner, Ex front man of the Sharks, now carving himself a solo career, Angel, everybody” Again the audience applauded.

“Okay then folks – the final – subjects will be chosen now at random, and the contestants have ten seconds to answer – if they don’t, they are timed out, AND the question can go to the opposition, right then folks – Oh and remember – the winners will take $25, 000 dollars for a charity of their choice –the losers go home, with nothing – So lets get right on and play –

And the first question is to the sports team”……………………………


**********


“………But it isn’t OUR fault if somebody just downloads it from the Internet – what can we do – we didn’t put it there for them to steal!” Spike insisted.

“Well it SHOULD be made illegal!” Sweet spluttered.

Practically everybody in the room chorused, “IT IS!”

“Well then, why isn’t there somebody doing something about it!”

“They try…”

“They, who’s this ‘they’”

“I don’t know, the people who run the sites I suppose – you get sites like Napster and SoundsExpress taken down, and a few days later, another one pops up. It’s very frustrating. Not only that, the singers loose out on royalties too” Spike said. Sweet looked serious.

“Look into this please Miss Chase”

“I will” Cordelia wrote a note on her pad.

“Other business…”

“Can I just say something………I’d like a little more co-operation form my ‘colleagues’ if I may – and NOT have them book things for MY artistes without prior consultation from me first” Spike said, looking pointedly at Glory. She smiled and took off her dark glasses and said,

“This is a dig at me, I suppose…well darling – I can’t do as you ask, when you’re not there, can I, not you, or the secretary – or even the whelp here – what’s a girl to do?”

“Me not there, ME – THAT’S RICH COMING FROM YOU!” Spike said angrily, and then added,

“Well, she’s not doing it!” Glory smiled and looked at Sweet, said one word,

“Daddy?”

“She’s doing it Spike, it’s already in the TV schedules, it would cost too much to pull now” Spike looked murderously from Glory to Sweet, pushing his chair away from the desk.

“Right – I don’t know WHY I bother to come to these fucking meetings, waste of EVERYBODY’S bastard time!”

And with that, Spike got up and left, slamming the door behind him. Xander and Cordelia kept their heads down. Glory revelled and beamed and the others felt sympathy for Spike, as they knew he’d be for it now………

Sweet wound up the meeting and said quietly to Cordelia,

“When you see Spike tomorrow, tell him I want to see him first thing Monday morning, will you? – My office, 9am”

“Will do”

“Oh, and tell him…”

“Yes, sir?”

“Nothing, doesn’t matter, tell him 9am, sharp”

“Yes Mr Sweetly” Cordelia was surprised Sweet was leaving things until next week to see him.

As people left, Glory took the brakes off her wheelchair and said to Xander,

“Hey, you - wheel me into the corridor” No please, no thankyou. Xander leaned over and said menacingly through gritted teeth,

“Wheel your fuckin’ self – and if Spike’s in ANY kind of trouble now because of you, I’ll – “

“Come on Xand, let’s go, leave her to it” Cordelia practically yanked Xander out of the room, switching the light off as she went, leaving Glory fuming in the dark.

**********

Spike got outside and felt for his mobile – darn it! It was still on Cordelia’s desk, charging up – although it should be well done now. There was nothing else for it, he’d have to go back for it.

“Spike…SPIKE!” Cordelia had just come down the steps and saw him step into the lift, and called him. He stuck his hand out and the doors opened again.

Cordelia had her coat on ready to leave, and she came running over.

“Was anything said?” Spike asked

“He wants to see you first thing Monday morning, in his office, 9am – not that HE knows 9am even exists”

“Monday? I thought it would be tomorrow”

“Me too – but there you are – you’ve got nearly a week to put your case across” Cordelia straightened Spike’s collar and patted his shoulder.

“If I bother”

“WHAT - now come on…what way is that to talk, hmm?”

Spike shrugged.

“It’s the way I feel at the moment. Anyway, times getting on, I forgot my phone, it’s still on your desk”

“Want to go for a drink or something?” Cordelia suggested

“Well, ordinarily I would, but I don’t know what time Buffy’ll be back from this quiz thing”

“Right, well look, don’t brood on it – Sweet couldn’t do this without you, you know, so he’s not going to sack you” Cordelia cupped his cheek and smiled.

Spike gave her a resigned little smile too.

“There, now I’ll be off then, see you tomorrow”

“’Kay Cordy, and you know, thanks” he winked and the lift doors shut taking him to the fourth floor.

**********
chapter 33 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 33

As Spike exited the lift, he could hear voices, female voices, and immediately recognised one as being that of Glory, and kept himself well hidden around the corner.

“Have you checked the guests?” he heard Glory ask

“Um, yes, they are already for their flights tomorrow, I have to check one though – I’ll do it first thing” Spike heard another female voice answer.

“See that you do…I don’t want ANYTHING to go wrong with this pilot show, I want to start with a great big bang!”

“Yes Glory”

Spike saw the two women get into the lift, Glory miraculously being able to walk now.

“What the hell are you up to?” Spike muttered to himself, and walked to his office.

Picking up his phone and un-plugging it from the recharging lead, he saw he’d got two messages, both from Buffy.

The first one said she’d be late, and the second one said that recording had gone way over schedule, and they were all going out for a drink afterwards, and she see him tomorrow instead.

Feeling a little disappointed, Spike made his way out of the building, deciding that perhaps after all, he could play ‘catch-up’ at home, and pay some bills, do some laundry and generally tidy up.

**********


“So, you know Angel from before you became famous?” Lacy asked Buffy.

“Yes, we dated briefly. Honestly, how thick is he – I nearly died with embarrassment – I thought EVERYONE knew who painted the Mona Lisa!”

“Everyone except him or so it seemed!” Lacy said, sipping her orange juice.

“I could be at home now, snuggling with my boyfriend!” Buffy said

“Well, one night away won’t hurt…with Bobby and I training for the same events we can almost see too much of each other, then there are other times he’s say, at the European Championships, and I’m running for the Commonwealth –and it can be weeks apart”

Buffy and the girl athlete chatted for as long as they could, but the music started, and it got harder to hold a conversation.

Angel asked Buffy to dance, and she immediately refused.

“Don’t be like that!”

“Like what – Angel, I’m tired, hungry, to tell you the truth, I only came to be sociable – I really want to go home and-“

“Actually, I’m hungry too, we could go find us a nice restaurant and-“

“Er we could NOT, thankyou very much!”

“Still sore at me for giving the wrong answer, huh – look I DID really know it was Da Vinci who painted the Mona Lisa, I said Beethoven coz I wanted to end the game, I’d had enough, I was fed up”

“What – oh great, so I lost out on giving the disabled children a play-scheme, because YOU were fed up? Well thanks very much –I’m going!”

Buffy downed her cola and stood up, snatching her purse from the table.

She said ‘goodnight to all those assembled, and went to leave. Angel caught her arm, causing Buffy to drop her purse, and several things fell out.

“Now look what you’ve made me – and GET OFF me!” Buffy jerked her arm out of his grasp and angrily bent and shoved keys, mobile phone, credit card holder, hairbrush and a lipstick back into her bag.

She stood and was infuriated to see Angel smirking at her.

“You’re beautiful when you’re angry – did you know that?”

“Oh…oh bugger off!” Buffy left the venue, the cool night air hitting her as she opened the door to the outside. She started down the steps, when she heard the door open behind her and a loud whistle made her turn around.

“Here baby, you dropped this” Angel held his hand out, and Buffy turned, lifting her hand to his to take what ever it was off him.
The whistle had not only attracted Buffy, but had caused the two paparazzi who were always stationed outside this LA nightspot to do a ‘heads up’ too.

“Who’s that?”

“Not quite sure, but he used to be in the Sharks…oh I know, that’s that Buffy” The one photographer said to the other, and they snapped away.

Buffy looked in her hand and saw a broken earring.

“What is it?” She frowned asking Angel. He shrugged

“Don’t know, I thought it might have fallen out of your purse, just” Buffy threw it to the ground.

“Not mine no, nothing to do with me”

“Come and have dinner with me now…Buffy…BUFFY”

Ignoring him, Buffy ran down the rest of the steps and over to the studios to get her car and driver. Angel shrugged and went back inside.

On the way home, she wondered whether to phone Spike. She looked at the time, 11.20pm – it was a bit late, it would be practically midnight by the time she got home, and Spike probably would have gone home from the meeting and had an early night when he saw the two text messages she’d sent, so she wouldn’t disturb him now, she’d see him first thing.

*********



“There, what do you think?” Sam twirled round giving her husband a look at the new dress he’d told her to buy.

“S’beautiful, baby…like you. Come here!” Grinning Sam slipped into his arms and they kissed.

“You can wear that to the television studios!”

“Television – Oh wow - where are we-“ Wide eyed and grinning, Sam was incredulous

“Ah-ah, surprise – wait until we get there!” Riley said, putting his finger on her lips to stop her asking questions.

Sam then thought that perhaps they were going to see a show being recorded, or even take part in one – she was almost bursting wanting to ask questions, but she knew that Riley wouldn’t tell her – and now she was like a child waiting for Christmas, she couldn’t wait for tomorrow to come!

**********


“’id’ite!”

“I’m sorry?”

Spike heard Buffy spit, and then the faucet running.

“I said, midnight! It was midnight when I got home. Sorry, I was cleaning my teeth. That’s why I didn’t phone you, I thought perhaps you’d have an early night, and got some sleep. I wouldn’t phone in case I woke you. How was your meeting?”

“Don’t ask”

“That bad eh – was Glory there?”

“Yes, look, I’ll see you at the studios okay?”

“Oh, okay”

“Are you all right, baby? You sound…I don’t know, fed up – did um, did Cordelia say anything to you?” Buffy asked, then she bit her bottom lip.

“Cordy? – About what?”

“Doesn’t matter, I’ll see you soon”

“Okay pet, but it might be nearer lunchtime before I see you, I’ve got to do these contracts for the new bands”

“Right, later then. And Spike,”

“Yes love?”

“I really missed you last night” Buffy knew he was smiling when he said,

“I really missed you too pet. See you in a bit”

Buffy’s car was late, and she didn’t get to Aphrodite until gone 10 o’clock.

She made her way up to the fourth floor and into the office.

“Morning – I don’t know……… traffic gets worse – AND the car was late –anyway, how are you Harmony?” Buffy went to walk over towards Xander, Harmony and Cordelia, suddenly becoming aware of their frosty stares.

“What’s up…?” For some reason, Buffy looked at her clothes and brushed herself down, not being able to understand why the trio were giving her odd looks.

“Enjoy yourself last night Buffy?” Xander asked coldly

“Me? – No, not particularly – actually, I really didn’t if you want the truth, it was bloody awful…why – have you told them about me being with Angel, Cordy? – Look guys, it wasn’t as if I had any choice in the-“

“Cordelia didn’t HAVE to tell us anything, LOOK” With a look of disgust, Harmony threw the morning paper at her, and puzzled, Buffy fumbled with it.

“Page six – speaks volumes, doesn’t it” Xander said, staring pointedly at her.

Frowning, Buffy opened the newspaper at page six, and to her horror saw a photo of herself, standing on the steps of the nightclub, turning to look at Angel, who was grinning like an idiot, and it looked like she was holding his hand, leading him down the steps.

“Oh my god – this, this ISN’T WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE! I dropped my bag – he thought that – hey hold on, please – you got to believe me!”

Xander, Harmony and Cordelia all gave her a disbelieving look, Xander and Harmony crossing their arms. Buffy was horrified, she felt sick and faint.

“Oh FUCK! – Has Spike seen this? – It isn’t what it looks like – I SWEAR TO GOD - to you, it isn’t, honestly!”

“It LOOKS, like you, coming out of a nightclub, leading a guy YOU say you don’t like, a guy you USED to date by the hand” Cordelia said icily.

“He was giving me something! I dropped my purse in the club; he was giving me a broken earring! He thought it was mine – I was leaving, I wanted to get home – I – I’d had enough!”

Buffy started to cry, and immediately Harmony softened, deep down she felt slightly guilty for leaving Buffy in the position she was put in, even though it wasn’t her fault. Frowning, she glanced at the other two, then back to Buffy. Xander still looked stern and Cordelia looked at Xander and sighed.

“Well, it LOOKS like you were holding his hand, and you ARE leaving the club with him – why were you in Scandals Nightclub anyway?” Harmony put her arm around Buffy’s shoulders and led her to the sofa.

Not making much sense squeaking through her tears, Harmony just let Buffy cry a little. Cordelia came over with some tissues and a cup of water from the cooler.

Shakily Buffy took both items and tried to explain.

Watery eyed and red-nosed from crying Buffy said,

“Has Spike seen this yet?”

“I shouldn’t have thought so, he’s been down with Roman Holiday all morning” Xander said. Buffy sniffed deeply and tried to stay calm.

“So are you going to tell us what happened?” Cordelia asked

“We all went for a drink after the show…I didn’t really want to, but we’d over-run the shooting schedule as we were so good at the quiz. I had one glass of cola, and I went to leave – (she sniffed, tears threatening to fall again) then that, that fat jerk pulled my arm and I dropped my purse – everything fell out, my keys, phone, credit card holder, lipstick – I shoved everything back in and left. Just as I got outside, I hear this piercing whistle, look round, and it’s him, holding out his hand, saying I’d dropped something. The whistle must have attracted the photographers too…he gives me this, this broken earring, which I throw away…he didn’t leave with me, I left alone, I swear to you I - Oh GOD I hope Spike believes me…I was talking to Lacy Morris the whole time…”

“Who’s Lacy Morris?” Xander asked

“Athlete. She was on the other team”

“Well, I believe you, but you must admit, it DOES look like you’re leading him down the steps – with him grinning and all” Harmony said.

“I know!” Buffy said tearfully

“He kept on touching me all day – on the shoulder, hand on my waist – I kept on telling him to lay off – he said all the others were doing it, even hugging when they got questions right – I told him to forget that – then he asked me out to dinner – why couldn’t he just leave me alone – Spike’s going to hate me now!”

“Okay, look, I’m sorry, I believe you – but you can see how it looked…we think a lot of Spike, we won’t have him messed about” Xander said

Buffy blew her nose and nodded.

“How…how did the meeting go – was it bad – when I asked him this morning, he said to me ‘don’t ask’”

“Um, well, we’ll leave him to tell you, okay – probably the best idea” Cordelia said

“Oh god. Oh Harmony, how’s your mouth?”

“Temporary cap, look – (she raised her top lip for Buffy to see) I have the real one fitted on Friday”

“Oh – on, FRIDAY - but that’s the day of the party!”

“Was, what with neither you nor Cordy being able to come –we’ve – oh, um…”

“I can’t?” Buffy’s brows rose Xander closed his eyes at his faux pas, rubbing a hand over his mouth.

“Oh shit! Um, sorry. I was going to let Spike tell you – Glory’s got her own way I’m afraid, and the show stands – anyway, you won’t miss the party we’re going to have it next weekend instead” Xander said

The phone rang on Cordelia’s desk, she answered, and Buffy heard her say,

“Yes she is Spike…okay, I will, bye”

“Spike’s on his way up”

“Oh god, I MUST look a fright!”

“Actually, probably better that you do, he’ll see that you are genuinely upset then” Cordelia added.

**********

Hank Summers looked at the ticket and smiled. He had a holdall packed, and his taxi was due to arrive any time now.


**********


“Sam, taxi’s here – are you ready – got everything?”

“Coming! Have you got the tickets?”

“In my pocket, honey”

“Is the back door locked?”

“And bolted, petal, now come on – we don’t want to be rushed, I thought we could have a coffee before the flight”

“There, will I do?” Sam presented herself before her husband, grinning and putting on her jacket.

“You look beautiful, babe…you get into the cab, and I’ll just lock up here…”

**********


“………So nobody would tell me what was happening at first, I was just put in this room, then about ten minutes later, a lady came and asked me if I was Buffy, she was very rude and left while I was still talking to her, asking about Harmony”

“Okay baby, but why are you so upset? Harmony’s fine – she’s having her new tooth on Friday”

Buffy nodded and reached for Spike’s hand, and squeezed it holding it tight.

“I know. They, well, I went to another room where all the other contestants were, and the director was harassed and everything, and with two minutes to go onto the set, the door opens and the lady that took me down said, ‘here’s your partner, introduce yourselves…I turned around, and it was………well, it was Angel. Angel Stebson, I’m sorry, I didn’t have time to object”

Spike mashed his lips together, then rubbed them, Buffy could see he was annoyed.

“I – They didn’t give me a-“ Spike leaned forward and said,

“Hey, it’s okay Kitten, it wasn’t your fault, I understand!”

He cuddled her to him, and for a few seconds, Buffy closed her eyes and relaxed, but when she opened her eyes again and spied the folded newspaper on the coffee table, the panic she’d felt earlier came back.

“Baby…there’s something else…………………”

“…………………I mean, I threw it away immediately what would I be doing with a broken earring in my bag? – It’s just that the photographers caught the pose wrong, and it looks like I was, well sort of holding his hand………it’s on page six”

Buffy could see Spike was trying to keep his anger in check.

“I’m sorry Spike, you know I love you, please say you understand” She felt the tears dripping down her face. Spike looked at the picture and threw the newspaper down in disgust, and started through gritted teeth,

“I bet you ANY money that bastard whistled like that on purpose to get the photographers attention – “ It was then he noticed Buffy was crying.

“Oh, oh hey, Hey, BABY – Oh Kitten, don’t cry my sweet…ahh, come on my little baby, come here!” Buffy gratefully cuddled up to him, the tension released in her. She sniffed deeply, gulping and gasping for air.

“Shh, my little one…there…I know none of this is your fault – I’m angry with him for acting like a jerk, not with you Kitten!” Buffy closed her eyes and held onto him even tighter.

“And Cordy and the gang gave me a hard time first thing, until I explained, they thought I was messing you around, and I’ve been SO worried all night about things, and then you said to me this morning, ‘don’t ask’ when I mentioned the meeting, and - I – “

“Did they pet, well I’m sure they didn’t mean it – you’re all friends now, aren’t you?”

Buffy nodded as she blew her nose.

“Don’t cry baby, it creases me when you cry!”

“I’m sorry, I was just so worried!” Buffy held him close, and felt Spike kissing her hair, and then he cupped her face.

“Now kitten, you stay and have a coffee, then go freshen up, and by that time, I should have finished these contracts –then we’ll nip over the road for bite of lunch – eh a little tiramisu to treat ourselves, what do you say?” he kissed her forehead and smiling, Buffy readily agreed.

Smoothing her hair from her face, Spike kissed her tenderly, and Buffy eagerly reciprocated, holding him tightly to her.

“Love you baby”

“Oh Spike, I love you too” Closing her eyes again Buffy hugged him, until Xander barged in and spoilt the moment!

“Spike – news just breaking – Rack’s had a massive heart attack – the clinic have issued a statement – you better got down to the press room! – Oh and um, sorry to barge in”

“Lunch can wait, as long as you know I love you, and we’re okay, yes?” Buffy said holding Spike tightly.

“Of course we’re okay baby, I love you. Now, um, get Cordy to tell you about the meeting will you, and I’ll come and find you soon as I can” he snatched a quick kiss and Buffy went to go and freshen up.

**********


“Daddy…when are we going to the boat ………………… you said we were going to the boat,” Dru asked, spreading a little conserve on half a slice of toast

“Hmmm? Well, we were going yesterday, but Cecily wasn’t allowed home. She’ll be coming home this afternoon, but she, er, well um…she’s got to stay in bed, she’s had an operation on her stomach”

“Okay”

“Now, I’ve got to go meet some people, but we’ll have lunch, then if you want you can go and fetch Cecily from the clinic with Lorne, if you like”

“Okay”

“Here, do you want the papers, I’ve got to go and give a press statement … bloody Rack – fancy having a heart attack there…he’s supposed to be getting better, not bloody worse!” Sweet dropped them next to her.

Ignoring his mutterings and the financial sheets, Dru began to turn the pages, looking at the fashions and then she turned to the society pages, and she immediately homed in on the photo of Buffy and Angel. She picked up the paper and read…

‘…Looks like Buffy’s found a new man to lead – after her soldier left her blue”

Dru smiled, then she grinned, then she positively beamed – she KNEW that that Buffy girl wasn’t REALLY Spike’s girlfriend! It was a test! That was it! She SHOULD have known all along – he was testing her to see if she still loved him! And naughty Lorne had been in on it too! She should be cross with him…but he did make her feel better sometimes... unless it was Spike being naughty, and he tricked Lorne too! Now, all she had to do, was to think of a cunning test for Spike now………Lorne opened the door to the dining room and said,

“Oh hey, there you are sweet-cheeks…want to go and tidy Cecily’s room for when she comes home?”

“Oh yes! And I’ll go pick some flowers, and make it all pretty!” Dru beamed, jumping up readily. Lorne smiled, quite surprised at her happiness.

“She’ll love that, but um, well, don’t be too disappointed if she doesn’t notice too much at first Angel-cakes, she’ll be a bit sore from the operation and be on powerful meds”

“That’s okay – and I can sit and read to her, keep her company, I’ve got lots to tell her!”

“Good…um, good”

“And I’ll come to the clinic with you to fetch her, Daddy said I could”

“Okay honey – um, are you okay precious?” Lorne asked tentatively. Dru beamed and nodded,

“Wonderful! – never better!”

“Oh, right, good…that’s good honey. Okay then, I’ll leave you to do her room”

“’M’kay, don’t forget to come get me when you’re ready to go!”


Lorne closed the door to the dining room with a puzzled frown. He knew she suffered from manic depression, but wow- WHAT a transformation, from sullen and barely speaking, to the bright, happy girl he once knew of old…he wondered what cocktail of drugs Sweet was giving her – because whatever it was, he’d hit the nail on the head with this combination, Dru looked positively radiant!

Before going out to pick flowers, Dru very carefully ripped the photograph out of the newspaper, and put it in her pocket.

***********


“Hi – at last! I’ve been leaving you tons of messages, at the house, on your mobile, at the studios; I even left one at the Four-“ Jenny said, brightly

“I know, is there something you want?” Anya asked coolly

“Anya…are you aright? – Is there something the matter?” Jenny asked, puzzled

“Is there something you want Jenny, only I’m extremely busy – I’m trying to write my next album”

“Oh god, sorry – I’m sorry, I should have thought – stupid me! – Look, I was wondering…although, if you’re writing…are you at your house?”

“No, Jenny I’m not………um…I er, I haven’t got it anymore, I sold up”

“WHAT – Oh wow! – That was quick! You didn’t say you were thinking of selling!”

“Because I wasn’t! I had…um…a certain offer, and I decided to go with it, I put my house on the market – three hours later, I get a phonecall from some real estate agent, it’s just what the actress Jennifer Alyston and her husband were looking for”

“Wow…lucky old you eh? – So where are you staying?”

“Me? Oh um, I, well…” Anya was undecided whether to tell her or not, and then she decided to take the bull by the horns, and she said,

“Actually Jenny, I’m staying, well, living at Rupert Giles’ place” Jenny didn’t even seem fazed at all by this answer

“Really? – He is a lovely old thing isn’t he, do anything for a friend – be a sweetie and ask him if there’s room for one more would you? – I could squeeze on the sofa – it’ll only be for a couple of nights”

Jenny asked, not grasping the concept of what Anya was saying. Anya’s knuckles went white holding the receiver. She knew if she didn’t put the phone down in the next ten seconds, she’d blurt it all out, and she really, REALLY wanted to see Jenny’s face when she told her about her and Giles…

“Sorry, but you’ll have to ask him yourself, I MUST go, bye-ee!” Anya ended the call and switched to message, then decided that she ought to phone Giles first………

“Well, I TOLD her I was living at your place, but I think she thinks it’s like some temporary arrangement, just a stop-gap until I find somewhere else - she knows I’ve sold my house”

“Okay pumpkin, don’t worry, I DID promise to meet her for a drink when she was here again, didn’t I? – So that’s what we’ll do. Invite her over, and we can tell her about us together, okay?”

“Fine – great, I’ll see you later, Big Boy” Anya drawled, and Giles chuckled and put the phone down.

**********


“I’m looking for a guy called Willy, he works here, I believe”

Jonathan took in the big brute, with his typical boxer’s look of broken nose and big hands. He was a good six-foot, and seemed almost as wide as he was tall.

“Join the queue! He’s been missing for nearly a week now, nobody has seen hide or hair of him! The boss wants him, there’s this photographer, a journalist – oh – um, ow…OW, You’ve got my chest hair, OW!”

“You wouldn’t be covering up for him by any chance, would you?” The man drew Jonathan close to him by a handful of jacket lapel.

“What- ow, look, let me go – ow OW…that’s better” Jonathan straightened his jacket and eyed up the big bruiser of a guy and frowned.

“No, I would not! What is it with all you big guys looking for him? Look, to tell you the truth, I HATE it behind the bar, I usually work the floor , I’m a busboy, waiting tables, I get more tips that way – in fact, I’ve had to take a cut in pay – so I don’t owe HIM any favours while I’m stuck behind here!” Jonathan stated indignantly.

“Right…any idea where he lives?”

“Nope, all I know is, you’re not the only one looking for him, and the boss is going crazy…nobody mixes a vodka Martini like he does, he was off sick, came back for a couple of days, then nobody’s seen him since. Can I get you something to drink?”

“No…no thanks…I better go”

“Want to leave a message – you know, just in case he comes back?”

“No…um, wait a sec…no, no it’s okay”

“Night then”

The guy left and Jonathan wiped down the counter muttering to himself.

“You sure are popular Willy…that’s the fourth big guy that’s been looking for you this week”


**********


“Baby – there you are!” Spike touched Buffy’s shoulder, she woke with a start.

“Huh – oh hi babe” She yawned and stretched, after falling asleep on the sofa in the office. Spike perched next to her.

“I missed you the first time round, I just looked in through the window, couldn’t see you as you were lying down and thought you’d gone up to the café!”

“Sorry babe…I had a lousy night – I couldn’t sleep – I was worried about, well you know, being put with ‘you-know-who’ on that show”

“Poor little one…are you hungry?”

“Um………actually yes, I’m starving! – I missed breakfast”

“Me too, come on, Luigi’s is closed now, but we can go upstairs to the café, if you want”

Spike bought her over a Banana/Mango Smoothie and a Latte for himself. He’d ordered two toasted ham and cheese sandwiches.

“Thanks…” Buffy shook and poured, took a drink.

“Hmm…delish! – So, tell me, how’s Rack?”

“Oh, don’t ask me, I’m ONLY the manager! – No seriously, Reuters News had got onto Sweet apparently, and HE gave a press statement – I was talking on the phone to some doctor at the clinic – some fan had taken him something in, heroine or crack, I don’t know, anyway - they’re not even sure what yet, they are waiting on the toxicology reports. So, the stupid prat took it on top of his methadone – and it all mounted up to an overdose – gave him a massive heart attack, he’s VERY lucky to be alive – one of the other ‘inmates’ found him frothing at the mouth having a fit”

“EW! – I thought all visitors were banned to those places?”

Spike shrugged and said,

“Me too pet, but they find ways, I suppose. Did you get a chance to see Cordelia?”

“No, she had to go and shake up the post-room messengers, she got all the wrong stuff this morning”

“Well babe, I’m afraid you’ve got to do Glory’s show”

“Um, yeah, I know. Xander sort of let the cat out of the bag. I asked Harmony about her tooth, and she showed me the temporary one, said she was having the replacement one fitted Friday. I said ‘ oh, the day of your party’ and Xander said because of me doing the show, and Cordelia not going and that, it was cancelled. – So this show of Glory’s, what’s it all about?”

“I’ve no idea…I really don’t know…But I DO know one thing, I don’t trust her – AND she’s obviously got to Sweet – she knew I’d been trying to cancel – and when I raised my objections at the meeting – I actually asked for co-operation – Glory’s grinning like a Cheshire cat and when I said, ‘Well, she’s not doing it’ Glory just turns to Sweet and says, ‘Daddy?’ the bastard doesn’t even have the decency to look up from reading – he say’s ‘she’s doing it Spike, it’s in the TV schedules now, it’ll cost too much to pull’. So pet, just be on your guard…I don’t know what she’s got cooked up”

“Will you be there with me?”

“Of course! Try keeping me away!”

“Then I’ll be fine – she can throw anything she likes at me – I don’t care, as long as you’re there” Spike smiled at this, squeezing Buffy’s hand, but he still felt very apprehensive – especially what he’d heard Glory saying about the pilot show to go with a bang to the researcher as they got into the lift last night, not knowing he’d heard them………

“Was anything else said after that?” Buffy asked

“Um…I er, I couldn’t tell you”

“Oh. Private stuff?”

“No, no – nothing like that. I stormed out – told him in no uncertain terms what I thought of the meeting” Spike looked a little sheepish and then gave her a rueful smile.

“Oh Spike! – I bet he was angry!”

“He wants to see me on Monday morning – first thing, would you believe…as Cordelia said, as if HE knows nine o’clock in the morning exists – I bet you he’ll still be all tucked up snug and warm in bed – propped up on his pillows so he can breathe properly, eye-mask on so the light doesn’t keep him awake on account he can’t close his eyes due to the dodgy eye lift he had, ugh !”

Buffy looked worried, and she asked,

“But, well –what if…I mean, are you worried?”

“Me? – Nah pet”

“Oh, good, that’s good. He wouldn’t sack you, would he?”

“I doubt it, I don’t care anyway!” Buffy gave him a worried glance, and began to think of all the ramifications this remark could have…he wouldn’t be her manager anymore… he wouldn’t be able to go places with her if he got another job…would he still be her boyfriend?

She felt that worry come back in the pit of her stomach, and when Spike put the toasted sandwich in front of her, she’d gone right off the idea of eating.

“What’s up pet…don’t you want it – it’s good!”

“I’m um…I suddenly don’t feel like it anymore…you have it, if you want”

“Are you alright, sweetheart – I thought you said you were starving?” Spike frowned and looked worried

Buffy just nodded. Cordelia came breezing into the café moaning.

“I’m okay, just – gone passed it I suppose” she said with a shrug, sipping her smoothie.

“………I wouldn’t pay them in bottle tops – honestly – just look at this – it clearly says, ‘Basement Maintenance’ so where do they deliver it to – our office – and this one – ‘Reception Desk’…and I know for a FACT some cretin opened two of Sweet’s ‘Private, For The Attention Of’ letters…he’ll go ape when he finds out – hi you two, take no notice of me…just having a moan…ah, that’s better!”

Cordelia sank down into one of the comfy leather chairs, and kicked off her shoes. She spied Buffy’s sandwich, and the fact that Buffy wasn’t eating it.

“Oh, can I have a bite…sod the carbs, I’m STARVING!”

“Help yourself – in fact, you can have it” Buffy said, a little quietly.

“Want me to get you something else Kitten?” Spike looked concerned.

“No, no it’s all right thanks”

“Cordy – want anything?”

“You could get me drink, if you would – a tall anything freshly squeezed, ta!” Cordelia said, biting into one of the triangular sandwiches.

“Okay…Buffy, another Smoothie?”

“No thanks I’m fine”

“Right, won’t be long” Spike went to the counter again, and Buffy leaned forward and said quietly,

“Cordy…I’m worried, Spike told me about the meeting with Sweet on Monday. Do you think he’ll will sack him?”

Cordy sucked melted cheese off her thumb, shook her head and said,

“No, never – Sweet knows Spike is the best manager he’s got…he couldn’t run the place without him!” Buffy smiled and nodded, sat back feeling happier.

“Sure you don’t want anything Kitten?” Spike said, putting a freshly squeezed orange juice in front of Cordelia.

“No thanks, I’m fine, I’m tired is all”


**********
chapter 34 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 34


“I feel like some sort of star! When that guy was holding up a card at the airport printed ‘Riley Finn’ – and then he took us to the waiting limo – oh god! Riley – JUST LOOK AT THE BATHROOM!”

Sam hadn’t stopped beaming since they boarded the plane back home.

“I know…and look, here’s the hotel brochure, it’s got an Olympic sized swimming pool, a fully equipped gym, a solarium, a sauna – tennis courts – and they’ll be enough time to go site-seeing after the TV studios tomorrow!”

Riley cuddled his wife up – who thought all her birthdays and Christmas had come at once!

“So, are you going to tell me about the studio? – Are you a game show contestant or what?”

“You wait and find – oh…hang on” Riley opened the door and two waiters came in, one carrying a bottle of Champagne in an ice-bucket, the other a big fancy box of candy.

“Wow – thankyou – um…here!” he tipped them and they left. Closing the door behind them.

“Here you go baby………hmm…just look at those luscious looking grapes in the fruit-basket”

“Champagne! Hey…remember the last time we had Champagne?”

“That would be…our wedding night, we took a bottle and sneaked to our honeymoon suite!” Riley said grinning

“Uh huh…and do you remember what we were doing, in between drinking it?” Sam giggled

“I do indeed…you took my innocence!” Sam shrieked with laughter, swatting her husband on the arm

“WHAT! - it was me that was innocent!” She flopped back on the four-poster bed, still giggling

Then Riley suggested (with a glint in his eye) that they could re-enact their wedding night now, pouncing on the bed, right next to her………


**********


“Come to mine Kitten, I promise you, if all you want to do is have a bath and go to bed to sleep, then that’s what you can do”

“I was thinking we could –oh” Buffy had her arms loosely around Spike’s neck.

“Sorry! Sorry…this is getting to be a bad habit of mine, isn’t it…I’m sorry to disturb you, but um…we’ve got a problem,” Xander said. Buffy dropped her arms and Spike frowned

“What now?”

“There’s a failure on the mixing desk, a fuse blew and the computers automatically shut down to save the work, but we can’t get them back on-line again – the auto transmission’s gone kerbluey” Xander said.
Spike closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead.

“Well, send for the engineers…I can’t be doing with it – I know I usually fix it – but well…t’isn’t my job. Send for………here you go, Eddie Dempsey – he knows what he’s doing” Spike went to his desk and wrote down a number and gave it to Xander, who took it and then he looked at Spike.

“You want to keep that number Xand – what that guy doesn’t know about mixing desks from the 1960’s to the modern digital ones – isn’t worth knowing, he’ll never let you down”

“Why would I want to do that? – If you’re around, I can always get it from you, can’t I?” Xander reasoned, but Spike didn’t answer, or even smile, he just looked down at his shoes, and then at Buffy.


Xander looked at the couple, and decided to scoot, that was the second time he’d interrupted them.

“So Kitten, what’s it to be, hmm? Back to mine or do you want me to take you home?”

“Back to yours please?” She looked a little worried, but Spike grinned, and pulled her close and kissed her forehead and said,

“Good, I’m SO glad you said that!”

**********


“There you are, sir. There’s a $200 limit on room service and bar for you, and breakfast is served from 7.30-9am on a ‘help-yourself’ buffet regime”

The bellhop opened the door to room 312, handed him the key-card and placed his holdall on a chair.

Hank Summers smiled and said ‘thankyou’, tipped the bellhop who left. He immediately went over to the window, opened it, then he turned and surveyed the room – it was very nice. Painted a cool mint green, there was a huge bed, large TV - and the bathroom had walk-in shower big enough for – well…he came and sat on one of the leather recliners. All this, at somebody else’s expense, AND he was going to surprise and see his daughter too!

**********



The Winds cocktail bar was full. Not heaving full, because Giles didn’t like crowds. But it was full enough for him, and everyone a famous face. He and Anya were perched on barstools, waiting for Jenny Calendar to arrive.

From the restaurant downstairs the M’aitre D phoned the bar upstairs.

“Sir, Miss Calendar’s arrived, shall Henri send her up?”

“Please” Giles said

“Time for me to powder my nose…I won’t be long” Anya said, slipping off the stool

She and Giles had agreed that Giles would tell Jenny about their relationship, and then Anya would come back to her seat and they would take it from there, all nice and civilised.

“Okay baby”

Meanwhile, a little distance from the bar………

“Hey, Lilah…Li, look”

“What?”

“This could be interesting”

“What could?” Lilah finished her cocktail and turned to look where Faith was grinning at.

“DON’T turn around! – You’ll make it look obvious…come sit next to me”

“Okay………………right, what am I supposed to be looking at?”

“I reckon that there’s more to old Rupe’s than meets the eye!”

Lilah gave Faith a, huh? Look, and Faith continued.

“Well, you know that mouthy cow, Anya ‘I say what I think’ Anya, I hasten to add…”

“Yeah, what about her – where is she?”

“Gone to the restroom…look who’s now canoodling up to Giles now while she’s gone………”

“Who’s that then?”

“I don’t know, but she’s pretty………seems strange, Anya leaves, and another arrives and slips onto the still warm stool – oh hey –see that!”

“What, he kissed that new one on the cheek – yeah, so what?”

“SHE looked like she wanted to, you know, give him the works – a proper kiss!”

“And he didn’t let her, so?”

“Shut up and watch…there’s something going on here, I just know it!”

Lilah shrugged, grabbed her glass and said,

“Want another?”

Faith grinned and stood, draining her glass.

“I’m coming with you………their conversation could be interesting - quick, look who’s coming out of the restroom – get to that space by the bar!”


“But…but I don’t understand Rupert – you – I thought that you and Anya were just friends!” Jenny said, frowning.

“We were, to start with” Anya said, sliding her arm around Giles’s shoulders. Giles slipped his arm around Anya’s middle, hugging her to him.

“Isn’t that how the best relationships start? – As friends…we realised that we are good together, VERY good, in fact were going into partnership in more ways than one, Giles is going to open a lounge bar and I’m going to-“

Jenny stood up angrily and shouted,

“You couldn’t wait, could you!”

“Wha-what – wait for what?” Anya dropped her arm from around Giles’s shoulder.

Everybody stopped talking and looked at Jenny. The barman looked slightly alarmed at his boss, who was looking everywhere except at the two women, but he said,

“Jenny, be quiet before you say something you might regr-“

“I WON’T REGRET IT! You, you low down thieving little TRAMP! – As soon as you hear he’s an absolute stallion in bed, as SOON as I tell you he’s got a foot long cock – that’s it, you’re there – you just couldn’t resist it!

Giles leant his elbow on the bar and covered his eyes.

“Oh dear Lord!”

Everybody else around exchanged highly amused grins, including Faith and Lilah, the latter whispering to her friend,

“A foot long cock – Aye Carrumba!!”

“An absolute STALLION in bed eh?” Faith said, grinning

A catfight ensued, Jenny grabbing handfuls of Anya’s hair, they were screaming and thumping and scratching and hair pulling, screeching insults at each other. Giles got up off his stool, turned to the barman to call security, but the barman had already pre-empt his boss’s request and was on the phone. Giles backed away from the two fighting girls…so much for not causing a scene and being civilised………

“Giles! Dear, dear…it used to be so lovely and quiet up here…why don’t you come and sit and have a drink with Faith, and me hmm? Leave those two…’wildcats’ to their little spat” Lilah drawled.

Security came up and parted the two girls, each guy holding a girl around the waist and picking them up off the floor, so they were flailing arms and kicking legs trying to reach each other, still shouting obscenities at each other…

“Hmm? – Sorry?” Giles looked at Lilah

“Come and sit with us…I think everything’s under control now…yes, look, security have sorted them out…” She patted the plush velvet seat in between her and Faith

“I must go and, um, oh dear Lord…”

“If you ignore it, it’ll go away – SIT!”

Faith pulled him down by his elbow, and Giles plonked down heavily in the seat.

“Here, drink this, it’ll calm you down” Lilah handed him what appeared to be a glass of white wine.

All around people were highly amused about this new bit of information about Giles…’Mr Foot-long’………

Giles grabbed the glass and downed it. Faith and Lilah grinned at each other…Tonight looked like being fun after all!

Except Giles suddenly jumped up, and said

“I must go to Anya! – Sorry girls………Harry…Harry!” The barman looked up

“Give these two ladies a complimentary bottle of Champagne, would you please?” The barman nodded and opened the fridge.

“Oh well…we got a bottle of champers out of it” Lilah sighed

“Yes, but I wanted to-“

“I KNOW what you wanted Fay………I did too, still, look at it this way…we can always be on hand to ‘console’ him, if anything happens between him and little miss Tinkle the Ivories Anya!”


**********

“Don’t go TOO mad darling, I mean have what you want, but the oysters are SO expensive!” Riley said

“Ew, I don’t want oysters – god, isn’t it lovely here, anyway, dinner is in the package, I checked!”

“Is it –oh, well, great! So, what are you having?”

“Um…the melon basket with berries to start………then the char-broiled pork tender-loin wrapped in bacon and sage with a calvados cream sauce. What are you having?”

“Pâté, then a steak”

“Oh Riley!”

“What?”

“You ALWAYS have pâté then a steak when we go out!”

“So, I’m having it now, I like pâté and then steak!”

They grinned at each other over the hotel menu. Sam couldn’t stop grinning – the whole trip was just so WOW – and tomorrow she’d find out at last about the TV show - she could hardly wait!

**********


“Come on Kitten, you’ve got to eat something, you’ve got nothing in your tummy, you’ll make yourself ill”

Buffy cuddled up to Spike and murmured something that he didn’t hear.

He shifted so he could listen to her and said,

“What’s wrong baby, hmm?”

“Nothing…well…I’m just a bit worried, that’s all” Spike moved around and sat up completely to face her, and then he cupped her cheek.

“What are you worried about kitten, tell me – is it this show, coz if you don’t want to do it, then don’t. Sod the expense, I’ll pay it myself!”

“No, no it’s not that…Glory – (she waved a dismissive hand) – bring her on. No, what would happen if…well just say on Monday, Sweet-“

“I’ll stop you there, Kitten. Don’t worry about Monday, nothing bad will happen, I promise you” Buffy looked at him with large luminous eyes.

“You’ll still be my manager?” Spike grinned and gently pulled her close.

“Oh Kitten…is that what you are worried about? – Come here, let me cuddle you and I’ll tell you something.”

Buffy rested her back against his chest, leaning her head in his neck. She played with his fingers as he spoke.

“Ok Kitten, just say worst case scenario, and Sweet sacks me, yes?” Buffy nodded

“Well, then it would be somebody like Xander who would take you on”

“But…what would you do, where would you go?”

“You mean job wise?” Again Buffy nodded

“Well, I don’t really know, I haven’t thought about it, but well, this house is mine, so I wouldn’t be homeless, and I’ve got a fair bit put by, so I could think on my options for a few months – and although I say it myself, I’m pretty good at my job, I’ve got contacts all over, I wouldn’t be out of work long”

“But, well…would you still want to be with me?” Buffy asked in a tiny little voice. Spike frowned

“Of course! I LOVE you Buffy…Oh baby, don’t doubt it, please…you are my one constant at the moment” Buffy felt relief flood through her and she turned and knelt up to face him and began to kiss him passionately.

“Love you…don’t leave me will you?”

“Never, I promise baby”

Buffy began to push him back on the sofa, Spike let her, he had absolutely no objections when she started to undo his shirt, then his pants and kiss him down his neck, over his chest and six-pack, down the fine line of downy hairs that led to –

“OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Spike pressed his head back into the sofa arm and raised his hips slightly as Buffy’s warm wet lips slid over the head of his rock hard length, sucking and gently pumping him. She cupped his balls, massaging and lightly tugging them, making Spike groan with delight.

She took as much of him into her mouth as she could, flicking her tongue over the sensitive glands, making him buck and writhe. His hand tangled in her hair and Buffy could feel the slight pull when she did something he particularly liked…

“Hhhhmmmmmmmmmm…that good baby?” Buffy stroked and pumped, licked and sucked for twenty minutes, teasing, bringing him right to the edge, then easing off…

“Yeah………oh yes babe, don’t stop!” Spike gasped out, and Buffy knew he wouldn’t last, she pumped for all she was worth, clamping her mouth over the head, still sucking, she flicked her tongue back and forth over the little slit as his essence filled her mouth, Spike crying out in sheer ecstasy.

She let him slip from her mouth, and smiled she asked softly,

“That good baby?” Spike’s head lolled and he croaked it was the best. He sat up, pulling her to him, kissing her, their tongues fighting a duel.

Eventually Spike broke the kiss and whispered,

“Lets go upstairs and be comfy…I want to make love to you all night” Buffy eagerly jumped up, holding out her hand to him she pulled him up off the sofa, Spike followed, just holding up his pants as he trotted upstairs.

**********

Hank Summers lay propped up on the bed, drinking out of a bottle of beer. He had a whisky chaser on the nightstand, and a Lakers game on the TV.

The irony of this didn’t strike him, the fact that if he’d been at home, rather than this plush hotel, he’d have been doing the same thing, except it would be a can of beer rather than a bottle, but it would be the same lying on the bed watching the ballgame.

The other thing that was different was that he’d had a good steak dinner, rather than the usual take-away Chinese or some such, and somebody else was paying. Life was sweet.

**********

“What shall we do now?”

“Give you three guesses!” Riley trailed his fingers up his wife’s leg.

“Riley!”

“What – we ARE married – we are in the swankiest hotel we’ve ever been in…and I’m dying to try the massage bed…”

“But on a full stomach?”

“Won’t hurt, just for once!”

“Once…you said that this afternoon!”

“Shh…lie back…where’s the remote for the massager………………there, that’s slow
ooooohhhhh, that’s nice………shall I go to number 2…………now three………”

“Ah, turn it down…it’ll shake my dinner up!” Sam lay back and closed her eyes.

“You have too many clothes on Mrs Finn…”

“Well, do something about it then!”

**********


“Pookie…do you think Spike will leave – will Sweet sack him do you think?”

“No”

“But Pookie…are you SURE, because, well, he seemed pretty mad when he left, you said so, I hope he doesn’t sack Spike…Buffy’ll be all upset”

They were both sitting on the sofa, having eaten a pizza, and Xander was watching TV. Harmony was feeling neglected.

“Hmm, what – no, course not………he’d be an idiot if he – oh yes, go on……go on – yes – SCORE!” Xander was engrossed in the game, so Harmony stood, went behind the sofa and took off her top and jeans to reveal a very sexy Victoria’s Secret satin and lace bra in pale green, with a matching thong, with a little kitten gold charm on the front, her current favourites. Smiling, she came and stood in front of Xander.

“Game’s over”

“No it’s not -aye, yay-yay! WOW!” Xander almost went cross-eyed confronted with Harmony’s delicious golden curves undulating right before his eyes.

“Game IS over, isn’t it?” Harmony picked up the TV remote and switched off. Xander concurred, the ballgame was DEFINITLY over!


**********


Glory snatched up her ringing cell-phone, answered and said,

“Yes, what? – Tell me some good news!”

“Sorry – same old story Glory, nobody has seen him, he’s not at work, or his home, he’s just gone to ground – so when do we get paid?……………………… Glory, I said when do we-“

“When you do I as fuckin’ ask, and bring that snivelling little wimp to me, that’s when!” Glory hissed through gritted teeth, ending the call.

She resisted the temptation to throw it against the wall, people needed to contact her…not that anybody had anything good to tell her lately. Moodily she got up and went over to the drinks cabinet.

Snatching the stopper out of the brandy decanter, she poured herself another generous measure and downed half of it, topped her glass up with a little more and reached for her cigarettes, lighting one angrily so the sparks flew off it.

“Useless! Useless fucking no-good oh!………Where do I find these bloody morons…they couldn’t find their own ass’s with both hands, never mind Willy or Al!”

Glory was talking to herself. She found she got more sense that way…she was, she decided, surrounded by morons and imbeciles. Idiots that needed everything telling them twice.

Well, she was due some luck, she thought. Good luck, for a change. She was padding around her apartment like a caged animal, drink in one hand, cigarette in the other. She was going to torture Willy when they found him for her, and she’d make Al go for an AIDS test.

But before all that, she was going to ruin that little smug-bitch blonde’s career, on LIVE TV too…Then Sweet would see sense. See that She, Glory Benson could move and shake as much as he could, she was a force to be reckoned with - and he’d sit up and take notice! Then he’d either pay her off, or she hoped, make her his number two at Aphrodite…else she’d ruin ALL the artistes careers………she was going somewhere – and it was about time SOMEBODY sat up and took notice!

**********


“Ppppppsssssssttttt! Jon…Jonathan…it’s me, Willy” Willy hissed at the barman from behind a rather large beard.

Jonathan swiftly turned around and faced the bar, surprised to say the least.
“WILLY – At last! Where have you - is that really you?”

“Shh! Shut up will you! I’m incognito” Willy glanced round the empty bar surreptitiously

“Where?” Jonathan frowned; Willy rolled his eyes and said testily,

“I’m in disguise!”

“You don’t say…we don’t get many Rabbi’s coming in here!”

“Rabbi?”

“All you need are those little ringlet things at the side by your ears, and with that beard and hat, you look like an Hasidic Jew!”

“Do I – oh well, whatever. As long as I don’t look like Willy that’s all”

“There are an awful lot of men looking for you, BIG men…look like they mean to hurt you. What have you done?”

“Never you mind that now, look, be a mate, go and ask Warren for my wages, will you?”

“I can’t”

“What – of course you can!”

“Well, okay, I could, BUT – it won’t do any good, he won’t give them to me. He said, if you were to come in, I was to send you to him immediately – he’s been going spare, he reckons he hasn’t had a decent Vodka Martini since you went missing”

“He hasn’t, has he? - Oh that’s –bloody hell!” Willy scrabbled in his pocket and quickly slipped on thick black-rimmed glasses as Warren came down to the bar.

“Here you go Jonathan, some change for you, and um…just watch the measures, would you, we seem to be getting through an awful lot of Scotch”

“Boss? Yes boss…thanks” Jonathan took the change bag off his boss, and Warren cast a weary eye around the empty all-apart-from-the-one-customer bar.

“Well, I can see you are rushed off your feet…” Warren said sarcastically

“It’ll pick up later boss”

“Yeah…well I hope…………evening Rabbi” Warren nodded to ‘Willy’

“Bless you my child!” Willy said, raising his right hand as if in benediction.

Warren and Jonathan frowned at each other, then looked back at the ‘Rabbi’

“I mean, Oye Vay!” Willy said nervously.

Warren shook his head and wandered off thinking,

**Weirdo’s…bloody junkies, freaks and weirdo’s, that’s what this place had come down to**

Willy needed money – he was lying low, and he needed his wages.

“Have YOU got any cash, Jon?”

“No!”

“I mean…at home, a bit put by for a rainy day”

“N-n-n-not r-r-really”

“I’ll take that as a yes then” Willy said, and then he continued,

“How would you like to get into the boss’s good books?”

“What – how do you mean? – He’s okay, we’re okay”

“I mean, REALLY be in his good books”

Nervously, Jonathan asked ‘How?’

“How would you like a pay-rise?”

“I’d LIKE to get back to my old job, I earned more doing the floor, got more tips – Willy – come back to work, security will protect you!”

“I can’t, not yet, look how about I let you in on the secret of the boss’s favourite little drinkie-poos?”

“Yeah – wow – great! He’d sure to stop being moody then!” Jonathan grinned

“I bet, there you go then! Okay, I’ll tell you the secret, but it’ll cost you…how much have you got at home?”

“$300, but it’s for my-“

“That’ll do. Think of it as being an investment………think of how happy the boss’ll be sipping his favourite vodka Martini, and you’ll also be saving me from a thumping I don’t deserve”

“I don’t know………the money was for a comic convention in –“

“COMICS? Fuckin’ hell Jon, how old are you?”

Jonathan looked a little discomfited and said,

“I was hoping to get the Captain America issue no. 138…” he looked almost wistful………………

Willy was loosing his patience

“Look, it’s either that, or I empty the cash-register!”

“There’s only $50 in it…and it’s all in small change” Jonathan said quietly

Willy spluttered behind his beard, which had started to really irritate him, along with Jonathan himself.

“Okay, look…meet me after work………this recipe better be worth it”

“Good man, you know it makes sense! I’ll wait in the alley for you” Willy said

Jonathan nodded, and then saw three customers walk in.

He smartened himself and stood up straight and said,

“Yes sir, what can I get you?”

Jonathan turned to get the drinks ordered, and when he turned back to face the bar and serve the drinks, he saw (much to his relief) Willy had gone.

**********
chapter 35 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 35



Buffy woke, turned her head, but instinctively, she knew she was alone. Leaning up and looked at the clock, it was 8.10am. She ran her hand over the rumpled sheets next to her, the sheets were cold, Spike had been up for some time.

Putting on her robe, she padded down stairs. She could see Spike still in his dressing robe, talking on the phone. There was a large brown envelope torn open, with several pieces of paper on the dining room table.

She heard Spike say,

“Yes, well, if you think it will be financially viable, then go ahead…………no, not fully yet, but I promise you I’ll read the projected figures properly………I will”

Spike heard a noise behind him, turned and saw Buffy. He grinned and winked at her, she smiled back. Moving the mouthpiece of the receiver away from his lips he whispered,

“Be with you in moment babe” Buffy nodded and headed towards the kitchen for juice.

She could hear Spike on the phone.

“Please believe me Charles…”

When she opened the fridge door, the compressor motor kicked in, drowning out the conversation. Buffy selected the juice and let the door close.

“…………Just because I said I’ll be coming home is in no way detrimental to either you, or your standing. Charles, please believe me. My father trusted you implicitly to run the Carrisbrooke estate, and you have no fear of me changing that, I assure you”

Buffy gulped juice from the glass, and gave a start when she heard Spike say,
‘I’ll be coming home’…she felt the tears prick the back of her eyes. Perhaps he WAS thinking of leaving after all…

She rinsed the glass and left it upside down on the drainer.

“………………I promise, and yes I let you know, okay then Charles, take care, bye-bye……………………Kitten, where are you?………Baby? – Oh there you are!” Spike came into the kitchen, and cuddled her up.

“Sorry about that Kitten, but I had to phone England” Spike said smiling. When Buffy couldn’t even raise half a smile, or return the cuddle, Spike frowned and looked at her, raising her chin to look him in the eyes.

“What’s up love?”

Buffy bucked herself up, and gave a rueful smile.

“Nothing! I um, I woke alone” Spike resumed the cuddling; Buffy still saddened half-heartedly put her arms around him, resting her head against his shoulder.

“I know pet, but with the time difference between here and good old England, I have to phone him early from here to get him quite late in the evening there, else I can never catch hold of Charles, as he’s always SO busy…he’s the head honcho there, runs the estate for me”

Buffy just nodded. With his trademark head-tilt and his ‘who’s a sexy boy then’ grin, Spike whispered,

“So…wanna go back to bed?” He began kissing and nuzzling her neck. She wanted to resist, talk things through, she wanted him to arrest her fears that he was leaving, leaving LA, leaving Aphrodite and leaving her, but he was now doing wondrous things to her throat and her body automatically responded, she shivered and let out a gasp and let her head fall back. Suddenly she felt herself being swiftly picked up and carried upstairs.

Their lovemaking was gentle at first, building to a terrific climax that made Buffy want to weep. When Spike carefully moved off her, she wanted to just curl up into the foetal position and cry.

“What’s the matter Kitten…am I being too much for you? Did I hurt you or if you didn’t want to, you only have to –“

Buffy couldn’t trust herself not to cry, so she put a finger on his lips and cuddled him to her.

“You worried about tonight then?” Spike gently rubbed her back, holding her to him

He felt Buffy shake her head.

“What is it then Kitten…come on sweetheart, you can tell me”

“Hold me,” She whispered, feeling the tears pricking her eyes again.

She realised that she was holding her breath in a bid not to cry, and when his arms tightened around her, she let out a gasp and the tears leaked out.

He felt her body heave slightly, and knew she was crying.

“Hey now…come on Kitten, please don’t cry…is there something worrying you? – I wish you’d tell me, I can’t bear it when you cry…”

“I’m………I’m okay…being silly is all” Spike went to lean out to stroke her hair out of her face, but Buffy kept her arms tightly around him. They stayed like that, quietly holding each other for some minutes. When he felt that she’d calmed, Spike said

“Do you like sheep?” Spike suddenly asked her. Buffy had stopped crying, she opened her eyes and looked puzzled.

“Huh?”

“I said…” Spike shifted to look at her, and this time she let him move

“Do you like sheep? Well, lambs actually. And pigs, little baby piggies – they are adorable, apparently”

Spike could register the look on her face: he knew she was thinking that he’d totally flipped. So he continued,

“Only Charles said he thinks that for one of the new attractions for the visitors to the Carrisbrooke estate in 2005 would be to have a ‘Petting Zoo’ for the children – it would be in keeping with the whole wild-life, animal husbandry thing we’ve got going on there, along with the stables, rare breeds, the bird sanctuary and the falconry exhibitions………from the projected figures he’s sent me, it looks financially sound…anyway, I can’t wait for you to see it!”

“Wha-what?”

“Carrisbrooke – my estate – you’ll love it – I can’t wait to take you. I just said to Charles, we’re more than likely to go over there after Christmas”

“We? You mean…you want me to see it too?” Buffy felt elated

“COURSE! I thought that it would be ideal for us to stay there when you’re on tour there…use it as our base. You can meet all the staff, and show you all around, the history of the place is amazing – goes right back to the 16th century you know – ooohh!”

Buffy squealed with excitement, and cuddled Spike up tight. Spike grinned. What ever had made her blue had passed, thank goodness!

“Poor old Charles…he always gets a bee in his bonnet when I say I’m going over there, he thinks he’s going to be out of a job – he’s silly – even if I did eventually decide to go back, I’d still need him there, he’s like the heart of the place………is that your tummy rumbling?”

“Um yeah, I really, really AM starving now!”

“Well………what do you fancy, besides me of course!”

Buffy giggled and said,

“Hmm…bacon…scrambled eggs…sausages…grilled tomatoes, and toast”

“ I see…good job I went shopping then, isn’t it!” Spike got up out of bed, and Buffy went to follow.

“A-a, not you, you my darling, you stay there, and I’ll bring you breakfast in bed”

Spike kissed her nose and Buffy giggled, reached for a magazine and snuggled down, she loved being waited on hand and foot………

*********


Cassie Newton was on tenter-hooks about Glory finding out about Riley Finn’s wife being there with him, it would spoil everything.

“Are the two guests aware what time they have to be here for rehearsals?”

“T-two? Cassie stammered, thinking she’d been rumbled.

“That bitch’s soldier toy and her father”

“Oh um, y-yes, don’t worry – golly, is that the time, you better go, you know how the traffic is!” Cassie said willing Glory to leave for the other studio’s to do her chart show.

“Hmm…yes…right, I’ll leave you to show them the run-through………I don’t want any cock-ups tonight, do you hear me Cassie, I’ll hold you personally responsible if-“

“Yes, yes, YES! Go, I’ll cope – go, you’re drivers having a fit!” Cassie practically pushed Glory out into reception.

Glory’s driver was actually sitting there calm as you like reading the paper – he didn’t look panicked at all.

“And see if you can get some stories from them, about her child-hood – or teenage years from her dad if possible. Stuff to make her squirm”

“Glory…just go, have faith in me!” Glory left. A young couple passed her on the way in, the automatic doors staying open for them. Cassie leaned back against the wall, eyes closed trying to control her breathing, she fumbled for one of her anti-stress tablets as she could feel her already weak heart pounding.

With the tablet under her tongue, Cassie took a few seconds to calm, when she heard her name being called.

“Miss Newton…………Miss Newton – are you alright?”

“Wha-oh um yes, yes, I’m fine...did you-“

“This is Mr and Mrs Finn – here for the Friends show,” The receptionist said.

Cassie gulped, god! That had been a close-run thing…

“Oh, um, right – would you like to come this way please?” Cassie led them both down a corridor and into a hospitality room.

“As it will be only Mr Finn we require, you will be able to enjoy our hospitality facilities, Mrs Finn, while I take your husband through his paces for tonight. I will fetch you your security pass to sit in hospitality this evening later, okay – help yourself to anything you like”

“Um…how long will we be here?” Sam asked, still in the dark as to what sort of show it was.

“Half and hour, tops – then he’s all yours until tonight!” Cassie smiled and held her arm out towards the door, Riley left after kissing his wife and saying he’d see her later.

Sam helped herself to coffee, and ignoring the magazines and newspapers provided, she took out the tourist guide to LA from her purse and began to read.

The door opened again, and a man entered, with a woman carrying a clipboard.

“If you just stay here for a moment Mr Summers I’ll find out which studio the rehearsal is going on in”

Sam looked up briefly and smiled, but she didn’t speak.

The man nodded politely.

The door had barely closed, and Hank Summers was poised, halfway to a sitting position, when the lady that bought him there re-entered the room and said,

“This way please, you’re in studio 5” he left with her.

After ten minutes, a few other people came in, and Sam ventured to ask one of the ladies with clipboards what the show was about, as Riley had been decidedly cagey about the whole deal.

“What show is it?”

“Something about friends? A reunion of some sort, I think – it’s my husband on the show, he’s one of the guests I think” Sam said

“Oh, this is that new show…um I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about it myself really…it’s Glory Benson’s new show”

“That’s right”

“Um, I could see if I could find out anything for you, how long are you-“

“OH, um, no, no it’s alright, my husband is here now, thankyou all the same, I’ll find out soon enough I suppose!” Sam said brightly.

“Hey!” Riley rubbed his hands together and smiled nervously at his wife. He still hadn’t quite plucked up the courage to tell Sam exactly whom the show was about yet………

“Hey…so, good rehearsal?”

“Yeah, you know, do’s and don’ts, don’t clap loudly when you have a microphone on, don’t mumble – speak when spoken to…the length of the anecdote I’m going to tell”

“So, who is-“

“Come on baby, why don’t we go do some sight-seeing, hmm? – And maybe a little shopping too – Then I’ll buy you lunch” Riley took his wife by the elbow and steered her towards the door.

“Okay, but I’ve got to wait for my security pass yet, so I can sit in here and wait for you while you do the show. That girl, the one who bought us in here said that she’d – oh look, here she is” Cassie came in, handing Sam a small card.

“There you go, there’s your pass – just show that at reception and somebody will take you down there, please don’t be late, now you must excuse me – I will see you both later, bye-bye” Cassie left, and Riley and Sam went out into the hot LA sunshine.

“So babe, where shall we go for lunch?”

“Outside! – I want to be outside on a day like this!!” Sam twirled around happily as they walked towards the car that had bought them to the studios.

**********

“Okay then Mr Summers, have you got all that? You will be the final guest, and you come out from behind the screens, greet your daughter, greet Glory, a handshake only, kissing is strictly forbidden, that includes ‘air-kissing’ Miss Benson is very insistent upon that, if you do have contact with her in any other way other than a handshake, she will prosecute, will you sign here please, to say you’ve been told and understand the rules”

Hank scribbled his signature on the sheet, and the lady with the clipboard said that he could go, but to return not any later than 5.30pm, as he had to be ‘locked away’ so not as to spoil the surprise – the main element of the show.

*************


“I’m sorry pet, but with Cordelia out, I’ll have to do a couple of hours in the office at least” Spike said, loading the dishwasher.

“Oh yes, she’s got that big date with 007, hasn’t she!”

“Uh huh, so have you thought, what are you going to do today?”

“I might go shopping…see what’s new at Victoria’s Secret…………”

Spike rinsed his hands and grinned.

“Well………as long as you promise to model it for me!”

“You are naughty!” Buffy said, grinning

“It’s YOU that makes me naughty – c’mere you, MINX!” Buffy squealed laughing as Spike grabbed her and began to tickle her.

“Have a look to see if they do anything for the winter…you know, thermal long-johns!” Spike said, grinning

“Ohh, kinky! That what turns you on is it? - Long-johns!” Buffy giggled

“No, but you’ll need something warmer than a thong for England in the middle of January!” Smiling, they were just about to kiss when Spike’s phone rang.
Both sighing, their shoulders sagging in unison Spike went to answer it. He came back saying it was Xander, asking what time he was going into the office, as he wanted to go and take Harmony to the dentists to have the new crown fitted.

“You go on, I’ll sort the dishwasher and that…if you see Harmony tell her not to worry” Buffy said

“Thanks, Kitten…I will – bye then” he snatched a quick kiss and was gone, leaving Buffy to go shopping.


*********

“Is that you, Mr Pavayne?”

“Just Pavayne, no Mr – yes it is”

“Cassie Newton from Glory Benson’s show, this is just to remind you about tonight, Miss Benson said that you can be at the side of the stage – but you must keep well hidden until she says, understand?”

“Yup, I will, thanks, bye”

*******

“OOF – Why don’t you watch were you’re………hey, don’t I know you?” Glory frowned up at the big guy, who had been coming along the corridor in the opposite direction.

“Well, well…Glory B. I’m Angel Stebson – Angel O’Connor, as I was when I fronted the Sharks”

“That’s it!” Something clicked in Glory’s mind, and she suddenly remembered the photo in the papers earlier on in the week, of him and Buffy.

“So…you know Buffy Summers”

“Yes, VERY well actually. We dated for a while…now I think it’s just a matter of time before she comes round, she’s playing hard to get, but -“

“Are you busy tonight?” Glory smiled a big false smile and linked arms with him.

“Tonight, no, why?”

“Only, how would you like to guest on my new show…the first guest is Buffy Summers…………(Glory went on to explain the concept of the show) …………and that’s about it. You come on, tell a little story… naughty one if you like, all adds to the fun!”

“Yeah – well great, I have a story, one day we were coming out of school, and her gym knickers fell out of her bag, but she didn’t notice, so I picked them up and stuffed them into my pocket, and-“

“YES! Well great, that’ll be fine, you’ll come then?” Glory couldn’t be bothered to listen so she cut him short.

“I’d LOVE to…where is it?”

“Tonight, you have to be at Studio 5, car-lot 9 Burbank studios, no later than 5.30pm I’ll leave you a pass at reception”

“Brilliant – well thankyou Glory…it’s been……...great” Angel smiled and began to think of ways to spice the story up a little - Buffy could hardly object, could she, if she didn’t know what he was going to say.


**********


“There, comfy? Shall I open a window – are you warm enough?”

Dru fussed over Cecily, straightening her pillows and comforter.

“I’m…ow…I’m okay – god my throat is SO sore!”

“That was from where they put the endoscope down your throat and into your stomach!” Dru said brightly.

Cecily winced and closed her eyes.

“Oh Dru, shush! I don’t…I don’t want to know, pass me my drink, will you?” She croaked.

“Here you go – now, when you’re ready, I‘ve got LOTS to tell you!”

Cecily to be truthful was almost wishing Dru to be her usual morose self; all this ‘full-of-the-joys’ was too much, she was almost bouncing off the walls with happiness, and although it WAS better than her being Zombie-like, Dru’s incessant bright chatter was too much for her to take at the moment.

She was trying to cope with the pain in her throat and stomach, and withdrawl symptoms; the painkillers the doctor had given her hardly touched her.

“………And I picked these this morning, although the gardener gave me a stern look, aren’t they pretty!” Dru messed with some cut mixed blooms she’d put in a vase on the side.

“Hmm, yeah lovely, um, Dru would you mind if-“

“Come along now – time for your medicine!” Lorne came carefully into the room backwards, having shouldered the door open. He turned and walked normally to the bed carrying a tray laden with medicine bottles and water.

“How are you feeling?” He asked setting the tray down on the nightstand.

“Oh…you know…sore, tired”

“Well, um, let me see…these first, can you swallow okay?”

“Just about” Cecily accepted the tablets and water and took them, and then Lorne gave her a thick chalky white liquid to drink.

“And this should sooth the acid-burning…………there’s a good girl”

He took the medicine cup off her and placed it back on the tray, but not before Cecily caught his eye.

“What?” he whispered, hoping to goodness she wasn’t going to ask him to get her something ‘stronger’ in the drug department.

Cecily’s eyes held a pained look and slid to look at Dru, then back to Lorne. He immediately knew what she meant, that she needed to be alone for a while, and not have to listen to Dru wittering on and on, which he must admit, had begun to grate on his nerves in the car. He gave Cecily a smile and a little nod, patting her hand.

“Right then, that’s you all seen to – I shall bring you an egg-white omelette, then some rice pudding – you are only to have soft bland food this week, nothing acidic. Come along then Cup-cake, it’s time for Cecily to have some sleep – you can come up for a little while later, okay if Ceccy feels up to it?”

Dru looked across to Cecily, who had snuggled down and looked asleep already.

“Oh, alright, but I was…never mind, it will keep!!!” She said brightly, opening the door for Lorne and following him out.

Once the door was shut, Cecily shifted and lay on her back, wide-awake. Lorne had told her about Rack and his heart attack, and with her own health problems caused by drugs, she knew she had to clean up her act before it was too late.

Downstairs, Dru wandered about the sitting room listlessly. She couldn’t put music on, as it would disturb Cecily, whose room was directly above.

“Lorne………” She began, but then decided against asking him what she was thinking – he tending to get a little short with her when she asked about Spike, he kept telling her Spike had another girlfriend now, and that she was to forget him……...huh – like she EVER could!

“Hmm, sweet-cheeks? – Which one do you think…this one, or…………this one?” From a sample book, Lorne had laid two swatches of fabric over the back of the sofa. He continued,

“Daddy wants a change, what do you think, the burgundy, or the bottle green?”

“Oh…the red. When does Daddy come home?”

“Really – oh…I thought the green…perhaps we should try – oh no, the purple’s DEFINITLEY out…hmm, this is a possibility………what do you think, mustard yellow – it’s supposed to be old gold, but…?” Lorne looked at her expectantly, and she screwed up her face and shook her head vigorously.

“Ew, no way. Lorne, Daddy – when is he due back?”

“Oh...um perhaps not……… let me see, Daddy - um (Lorne closed his eyes and tipped his head back thinking, then righted it again when he’d got the answer) Tonight. Yes, tonight, he’ll be home well before dinner he said, why shortcake? What about this colour, the tan?”

“Oh. No reason…no, I still prefer the red”

“Do you? But we have so much red already”

Dru knew, that with Daddy being home, she hadn’t got a chance of going out on her own…and she’d got something planned.

“We could go black leather………and have white and silver Regency striped walls,” Lorne suggested.

“Whatever…I’m going to my room to read”

“Okay kitty-cat, but don’t disturb little Ceccy will you, she needs lots of sleep to hurry and get better, okay?”

“Promise” Dru said, and went quietly upstairs to her room. She’d locked her door so she wouldn’t be disturbed, and drew out a vanity case from under the bed. She opened it and took out the photos of Spike, kissed each one, and laid them on the bed, touching and sighing over them.

“Don’t worry my Sweet…you’ll soon be mine, and we can be together again!” She smiled and lay down amongst the pictures, closed her eyes and began to dream of what they would do when they were reunited………

*********



Anya and Giles’ relationship had been strained to say the least since the ‘incident’ in the Winds bar. It had been unfortunate for Giles that there had been a couple of journalists in there at the time of the girls ‘spat’, and now all sorts of comments were being made in various newspapers and magazines, little funny jibes about the size of his manhood, and the offers he was getting were unbelievable.

Anya was pouring herself more coffee when the phone rang. Giles had just put the last bite of toast in his mouth; he dusted off his fingers, wiped his mouth on a napkin and answered it.

“Rupert Giles……………………who is this, please? – I see, well Mandy Smallwood, no, I DO NOT want to pose for Playgirl, thankyou very much – or any other magazine of that ilk – goodbye!” he slammed the receiver down and strode back over to the dining table.

“Another call wanting you to-“ Anya began

With a flourish, Giles swiftly removed his jacket from the back of the dining chair and hastily put it on.

“YES, it was, and I’m TOTALLY, and HEARTILY SICK OF IT!” Anya winced and said quietly,

“I’ve said I’m sorry Giles, and it wasn’t me that said it, Jenny-“

“I KNOW who said it, where and why, I was THERE wasn’t I – it happened in MY bloody bar, didn’t it – now I’m a laughing stock!”

Anya rose and went to him, began to tidy his collar and said

“No – baby no, they are not laughing at you – envious yes, I mean what guy wouldn’t want a co…um, all I’m saying is, they are not laughing at you honey, far from it!”

“No – but what am I famous for now, hmm? – My award winning, five star restaurant, huh? That I used to be in one of the top selling bands that were awarded 17 platinum gold discs? – My cocktail bar, that serves the finest Martini this side of Manhattan? – My award winning film review programme? – No. I’m now known as ‘Mr foot-long’ – I’m just thought of as a piece of meat, that people think they can make smutty remarks and innuendoes about!”

“But honey…I LOVE your mea - um, all I’m trying to say is, there are far worse things that you could renown for, that’s all - look lets stay home tonight, I’ll cook us dinner and-“

“I can’t, I’m interviewing Robert Niro and Kevin Pacey tonight about their new film, before they fly back to New York”

“Well come straight home afterwards”

“I’ll see, I gotta go” Giles finished the last of his coffee and left, without even giving her a kiss.

Anya sighed and felt really sad. She knew things would eventually die down, but it was beginning to get to her too, people, strangers grinning at her, and she just knew what they were thinking, that the only reason that she was with Giles was because………she could kill Jenny, she really could.

*********

Buffy hailed herself a cab and loaded her shopping, giving Spike’s address. When she got back, she set about putting together her outfit for tonight.

Having spent a fortune in Victoria’s Secret, She selected a black lacy push-up bra, with matching black and fuchsia lacy panties. They were very pretty, lacy fronted with roses ‘climbing’ up through the lace. She knew Spike would like them anyway!

She laid three outfits on the bed, trying to decide which one to wear for tonight’s show. Her cell phone rang and she answered.

“Hi babe, been shopping?”

“Yup…spent a fortune in Victoria’s Secret…I’m just trying to decide what to wear for tonight”

“Well, I’ve just about finished up here, how about if I come home, and you can model them for me, and we can decide together” Buffy grinned and said,

“I suppose me flitting around, in the bedroom, in my scanty little undies would have nothing to do with this kind offer of yours, would it?” Spike rumbled a deep chuckle making Buffy shiver, and her stomach go all soft…

“ABSOLUTELY! Why, have you any objections?”

“None whatsoever! Just get yourself back here, NOW!!!” Buffy still grinning ended the call, and Spike left the office taking the stairs, he didn’t have time to hang around for the lift!

**********
Chapter 36 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 36



“Are you okay Poppet………baby…Harm?” Xander worriedly tapped on the bathroom door

Harmony panted for breath, and stood up from bending over the toilet.

“Yeah, um, yes, fine Pookie, don’t worry”

“You want eggs for supper? – I know you can’t have anything hard at the moment because of the new crown”

The thought of eggs in her already queasy stomach had her heaving again.

“Poppet…let me in – I’m worried about you”

“No, I’ll be okay, don’t worry…look – um – I’m not really hungry at the moment, baby, I’ll be in very soon”

“Have you been sick?”

“A little, I um, I think it was the er, the anaesthetic the dentist gave me”

“Okay then, if you’re sure” Xander went back into the lounge.

Harmony sat on the bathroom floor, and leaned against the wall. She didn’t like lying to Xander, but she needed a little time and space. The dentist hadn’t given her any anaesthesia at all, all he’d done was cemented the new crown in place. She reached for her purse and took out the bag from the pharmacy.

Taking out the little box, she read for the umpteenth time the instructions. With shaky fingers she took out the small plastic wand, and looked at the little blank window. Praying that it would stay that way, blank, instead of indicating a blue line. All she had to do was to pee on the end of the wand, and wait for a minute. She new it would be the longest minute of her life.

“HARM, DON’T FORGET TO SET THE TAPE TO DO BUFFY’S SHOW, YOU KNOW I CAN’T DO IT!” Xander bellowed from the lounge.

Harmony had just been ready to sit on the toilet when Xander had called, and her nerve went, and she stood up and leaned against the sink.

**Do it tomorrow, do it tomorrow** was the thought running through her head, and she reached for the box to put the predictor back.

She felt the need to pee, and suddenly spurred into action, she sat, did what was required and after flushing the toilet and washing her hands, she sat on the edge of the bath, holding the wand, with her eyes closed, she was supposed to be counting, but instead she was praying…………


It had to be a minute up by now, surely…just a few more seconds…how was it she used to count when she was little? One, Mississippi, two, Mississippi, three Mississippi…that was when there was a thunderstorm, to see how far away it was…in the lounge, she could hear Xander laughing, then he called out,

“Hey babe, you should come and see this dog, it’s on the ‘World’s Whackiest Animal Show, he’s in Loveland, Colorado, and he’s snow-boarding with his master – he’s got his own board, and he’s better than the humans, they are falling off, and he isn’t!”

Harmony knew, that a minute was definitely up by now, probably nearer three or four, truth be known. She opened her eyes, but didn’t dare look down at her shaky hands.

“It’s now or never” she whispered to herself, she closed her eyes again, and let her head drop forward………opening her eyes, she focused on the wand. She let out a gasp and covered her mouth, her eyes filling with tears.

***********


“Spike – concentrate!” Buffy giggled and ran around the bed, away from him. He was grinning like a mad thing, intent on grabbing her.

“That’s easy for you to say – I’m not the one running around in black and pink lacy knickers!”

The imagery of this set them both giggling, and then Buffy chided,

“It’s not pink, it’s fuchsia!”

“Fuchsia, pink, it’s all the same to me pet”

“So, you like?”

“Yup, BUT”

“But what?”

“I prefer YOUR pink bits!”

Buffy blushed beet red and in a trice Spike had caught hold of her around the waist from behind, then he slid his hands up and cupped her breasts, ‘pretend’ ravaging her neck, making piggy-grunt noises, making her helpless with laughter.

“You give in?” Spike asked, holding her firmly, which was just as well, because she her legs had turned to jello and couldn’t stand up. She sagged in his arms.

“Think I‘ll have to, I’m too weak to protest now!” Spike nibbled her neck again; he knew just the right spot to render her helpless.

“S-Sp-Spike – I’m sup-supposed to be – oh – s-s-s-sorting out my OUT-ooohh, my outfit!”

“Hmmm………we got bunches of time yet, now………where was I? – Oh yes, right here I believe…………”

Buffy’s eyes rolled and closed, she let out a wail of pleasure.

************


“Poppet, come on babe, you’re missing this, there’s this kangaroo on now…in Australia, well, that goes without saying, but there’s this place called Bogan, well Bogan’s Gate, and the kangaroo thinks he’s in a gymkhana, he bounds around, then jumps over this gate, turns around, and does it again, all day long…………ha-ha-ha-ha…” The programme had put ‘cartoon’ type springy noises over the film to make it seem even funnier.

Harmony put her hand on her chest to calm herself. She sniffed, snatched off a few squares of toilet tissue and wiped her eyes and blew her nose.

“Be right there, Pookie” She called, and shoved the wand back into it’s box and threw it into the bin. Splashed her face with cool water and patted it dry. She checked her appearance in the mirror.

“Well………thank you god………you gave me a scare there for a moment…so it must have been something I ate…that or nerves because of the dentist” Harmony said to herself

She walked into the lounge to see Xander giggling away at a dog chasing it’s own tail.

“There you are, baby…are you okay?” he patted the sofa by him, and Harmony immediately sat next to him and snuggled. Xander put his arm around her and kissed the top of her head.

The commercials came on and Xander leaned towards her and said,

“There’s a new blank tape here, I thought we could tape Buffy’s show, then there’s a good film on channel 9 later………I thought we could tape that too…we could have an early night – that’s if you feel okay?”

Harmony swallowed, thought about the ‘close call’ she’d just had and said,

“Well, my tummy feels a little delicate still, but I could always…………” she reached for his zipper and slowly ran it down, smiling at him.

***********


“What do you think, up or down?” Buffy was standing in her underwear in front of the wardrobe mirror, holding her hair piled up on top of her head.

“Which feels more comfy – tell you what, wear it up, you have a very pretty neck –in fact, you have a very pretty everything!” Spike came up behind her, and dropped a light kiss on the side of her throat. Buffy smiled and said,

“Hey, you – don’t get me started AGAIN – wait until later – I’ve got a show to do!”

“So, I’m on a promise, am I - great!” Spike said cheekily, and ‘twanged’ her knicker elastic making Buffy shriek and let loose her hair.

“You’ll pay for that!”

“Oh yeah…can’t wait – bring it on, little girl!” Spike said cockily, they grinned at each other through the mirror.

“I’ll go grab a shower, leave you to get dressed in peace”

“M’kay, what time have I got to be there?” Buffy asked, taking out her make-up bag.

“Well, there was a Post-it note on my monitor screen saying you’re to be at the Burbank studio 5 at 7PM – I know where it is, if we leave here in…roughly three quarters of an hour, we’ll be there in plenty of time, okay Kitten?”

“Great!”

**********


“Looking good! – She won’t be able to resist you!” Angel said to his own reflection in the mirror. He was grinning broadly. He was wearing leather trousers and a white shirt. For some reason, the trousers felt a little more snug since he last wore them, but he told himself it was just because they were ‘cold’, as soon as they warmed up a bit, they’d soon stretch again. He picked up the photo he’d taken out of his High School year book.

You could tell instantly it was Buffy, same long blonde hair and sunny smile, she just looked younger. The caption he’d written under her photo in the year book had been,
‘Girl most likely to………serve you in Walmart.

A little cruel perhaps, but it was true, she’d been no great shakes academically. Under Willow’s picture he’d written, ………’Always to be a geek’, and under Oz’s picture he’d written ‘Always one step behind everybody else.’

To Angel, Oz didn’t appear to be ‘laidback’ like everyone else thought, Angel just thought he was slow. The thing he’d never know was, in Buffy’s yearbook, she’d written (after they’d split up, that is) ‘Always to be a fat jerk!’ Willow had put, ‘destined to be a failure’ and Oz had written Guy most likely to………’Still be playing ‘air-guitar’ in front of the mirror when he’s 35’.

Of course, these comments were in their own private yearbooks, for their own private consumption, but it just went to show how SOME of the comments rang very true………

**********


“Ready then Kitten?”

“Yes, oh, hang on………I want to wear my ‘lucky’ earrings…”

“Lucky?” Spike asked with a quirked eyebrow

“I wore them the night I won Search For a Star, the night I met you, how much more lucky can they get?” Buffy reasoned.

“Aww, you’re sweet…come on then Kitten, let’s get this over with, and remember, don’t let Glory give you any shit”

“I won’t”

**********


Waiting to be taken down to the hospitality room, Riley and his wife Sam sat in reception. A woman came over and asked them to follow her.

“Would you like to come this way.” She led them down a series of corridors, telling them the rules as they walked.

“We ask you to please not leave this room until somebody comes for you, so there is no risk of the guest seeing you. There is every facility you need, rest room, and there is food and drink, TV, but no alcohol until after the show. Would you please turn off any mobile phones you have, there is a direct land-line telephone for use in the room, somebody will be along to take you to your appropriate places when the time is right.” The woman left and the couple sat.

“So honey…are you going to let me in on the big secret?” Sam asked standing and going over to the hospitality table and getting herself a drink.

“Want one?”

Riley looked decidedly uncomfortable, he had never been this nervous before in his life. Live TV………

“Riley………hey, you, Mr!”

“Wha-what?”

“Drink?” Sam waggled a bottle of water at him.

“Oh, no, no thanks…it’ll only make me want to go, you know, and I’m nervous enough already”

“So who is it? An old colonel - headmaster? “ Sam sipped her water and studied her husbands face. He looked decidedly uneasy.

“Riley, in less than half an hour, I’m going to find out anyway, and I’d much rather you tell me now”

“It’s…” Riley was just about to say, when the door opened and Angel came in with the lady who had bought them down.

“If you’d like to wait in here, Mr Stebson, there are some guests already here, be back later”

Angel smiled at the woman, then turned and noticed Riley sitting down.

“Hi…um Angel, Angel Stebson, you might know me as Angel O’Connor, I used to front the Sharks” Sam still wouldn’t have known him from a hole in the ground, but smiled and shook his hand politely.

“I’m Sam Finn, and this is my husband Riley” both men shook hands, saying ‘how do you do’.

“Can I get you a drink, um, Angel?” Sam asked putting her own drink down.

“Oh, um, oh not for me, thanks…so, how do you know Buffy then?”

Sam frowned, and looked at Riley, then at Angel. Riley could have died a thousand deaths, he closed his eyes and let his head drop into his hands. The smile on Angel’s face faded when he realised that he’d possibly said something wrong.

“Buffy, as in Buffy Summers?” repeated Sam, glaring at her husband

“Um, er, well, ye-yes” Angel said, looking back and forth between the couple. Suddenly, it all clicked into place for Sam. His reluctance to tell her who it was, and last time she was there, yesterday, that older guy she saw briefly in hospitality, the woman had called him ‘Mr Summers’, but she never connected the name until just.

The door opened again, and in walked the very guy Sam had just thought about, Hank Summers, who smiled and nodded to everyone.


Sam wanted to hurl the water over Riley, it had taken 18 months for him to get over Buffy – and of course – oh god – how STUPID was she – this Buffy, now a singer – won a competition with a song about lost love, her soldier…there was so OBVIOUSLY unfinished business between them!

Sam angrily snatched her purse up off the side and wrenched the door open.

“Sam, wait, come back, I can explain – I – please love, were not supposed to leave the room – Sam, SAM………” Riley dashed out into the corridor, where his distraught wife rounded on him.

“You KNEW! All this time you knew we were here to see your supposed EX girlfriend, a girl you SWORE to me you were well over, a girl that has written you a love song, you think you can buy me off, staying in a fancy hotel, when all along – “

“Sam, no, it wasn’t, it isn’t like that! Please honey, I love YOU, I just thought that well, look, how else could we afford to stay in a fancy hotel like that if it was not for somebody else paying – and I think you’re over-reacting, don’t you?”

This made Sam even more angry, and she stabbed the air with her finger

“So why didn’t you tell me from the start who it was, huh? YOU tell me it’s all over, YOU tell me you don’t think of her, she’s written you a love song Riley – you must think me SO stupid…it was in all the papers and magazines, and I’ve only just put two and two together…she wrote the song about her soldier she’d lost contact with”

“We lost contact because our group was lost in the jungles of Borneo!” Riley said, not thinking that this didn’t help matters at all.

“Exactly – so if you hadn’t got lost, you’d be together, happy ever after…well, you’ve found each other again, I hope you’ll be very …hap – “ Sam let out a sob and ran down the corridor.

“Sam, Sam please, come back love, oh god, this is SO how I not planned this!
***

Buffy and Spike entered the studio, Buffy was immediately whisked off to make-up, despite her best efforts. Spike thought he’d go to hospitality. Walking down the corridor, suddenly one of the fire doors flew wide open and a very upset woman came bounding through, nearly running full-pelt into him and bowling them over. Luckily Spike caught her shoulders.

“Hey, hold up! Whoa! Are you alright, love?”

“Yes, no, I’m sorry, I must go – excuse –“ She carried on down the corridor. Spike rounded the corner to see a guy standing by hospitality room wall, bent over with his hands on his thighs.

“Are you okay, mate?” Riley looked up

“Actually that would be no” Riley said quietly

“Was that upset woman anything to do with you?” Spike asked, looking back down the corridor, but she’d well gone by then, and Riley nodded.

“I’m here to do a show, Buffy Summers, I used to date her, and my wife, well…I kept it a secret why we were here, now she’s got it into her head that there’s something going on, and I swear to you there isn’t”

“I know mate”

“You do? How?”

“Because, Buffy’s MY girl now”

“Oh, right. I wouldn’t have come, but well, the hotel they offered was really swanky, and since we’ve been married, well we haven’t been able to afford much, I thought it would be a nice break for her, and easy on my pocket to…but it’s all gone wrong”

“Go after her then, put it right”

“But, well, from what I gather this Glory Benson, she doesn’t stand any messing if I don’t do the show now, what if she tries to sue us – I couldn’t even afford the cost of the hotel we’ve stayed in, let alone…”

“Don’t worry about that, I’ll sort it for you”

“You will, but how, I mean-“

“I’m Buffy’s manager as well as her boyfriend, I also work out of Aphrodite the same stable as Glory. I promise you, there won’t be any come-backs on you, I’ll see the hotel is paid, just get and sort things out with your wife, okay – oh, what hotel were you at?”

“The Holiday Inn…you’d do that – fantastic – I don’t know how to thank you!”
Riley shook hands vigorously with Spike, and took off down the corridor.

“You already did mate…you left Buffy” Spike said quietly after the retreating figure.


*************
chapter 37 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 37


The door to hospitality opened and Angel came out and stood there. He looked at the back of Spike, not realising who it was at first.

“Is everything alright, I think, well, not sure, but well I may have put my foot in it with-“

“YOU are ALWAYS putting your foot in things…” Spike turned and advanced on Angel, who began to back down the corridor.

“I want a word with you…I want you to keep away from my girl, do you understand me?” Spike said menacingly

“Now hold on, just a minute, who do you think-“ Spike saw red and grabbed Angel by the shirt front and head butted him. There was a loud crack, and Angel sagged to his knees clutching his face.

“You so much as LOOK at her wrong again – don’t think I didn’t see how uncomfortable you made her on the quiz show, you kept on touching her even though she repeatedly asked you not to…or that little stunt you pulled outside Scandals…well don’t forget, Angel, I know more people in this business than you can shake a stick at, I suggest you re-locate and soon, do you understand me – coz I’ll make sure you’ll never work in this city again!” Spike gave him a hard shove, there was a loud ripping sound, and Angel fell backwards clutching his face.

Spike turned on his heel and went back to the hospitality room to see if there was any more nasty little surprises. There was. One.

“So…you are?” Spike asked, thinking he could take an educated guess. The guy held out his hand, but Spike didn’t shake it, so Hank dropped it.

“Hank Summers, Buffy’s father, and you are?”

“Never mind. Well Mr Summers, you’ve had a wasted journey”

“What – oh, but I was-“

“Do you honestly think that Buffy would want to see you, like this?”

“I’m sorry, but who are you to know who and what my daughter-“

“Look. I know you haven’t seen Buffy since you divorced her mother. I know when she won the talent show, you contacted Aphrodite records, and I also know you phoned her at home, and I also know that she asked you for some time so she could think about things”

“I only want a chance to explain, to put my side of the story, her mind had been poisoned by my ex-wife, and-“

Spike held his hand up in the recognised ‘Halt’ signal.

“Mr Summers………I can appreciate that, I really can, but do you really think this is the way to go about things – a forced reunion, on live TV, in front of roughly…what, three million people? – How much humiliation can you face – because if you back Buffy into a corner, which is exactly what you’d be doing by being here tonight, she’ll come out all guns blazing, it’ll be ‘My dad left me in my formative years, never contacted me when my mom died, only when he thought I was famous did he deign to get in touch…how much of a caring father do you think you’re going to sound like?”

“I just want to see her, that’s all” Spike almost felt sorry for the poor sap, and sat down next to him.

“You seem to know my daughter very well” Hank said

“I’ll make no bones about it Mr Summers, I love your daughter very much, and I won’t see her hurt, not by you or anybody. I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I can’t promise you that she’ll meet or even contact you, BUT, if you leave now I’ll tell Buffy you had a change of heart, and would rather see her under her terms and conditions, than a surprised forced meeting on a show. And actually, the woman doing this show is totally devious, she has some hidden agenda, and I’m sure she’s trying to harm Buffy’s career” Hank Summers studied Spike.


“You really do care for her, don’t you” Hank said, and Spike replied,

“Don’t ever doubt it” Hank nodded

“You British?”

“Yes, I’m from London, originally”

Hank nodded again and thought for a moment.

“What about the hotel bill?”

“Don’t worry about anything like that, I’ll make sure your bill is paid, and there will be no come-backs on you”

“And you’ll tell her what you said, about seeing her on her terms and that?”

“I promise I’ll tell her that, but I can’t or won’t force her to see you” Spike stood and held out his hand. Hank stood slowly and shook the offered hand.

“If she doesn’t decide to contact me………well, look after her okay?” Spike smiled

“You got it”

“Well, I’ll go then”

“What hotel were you at?” Spike asked, and Hank told him.

“Well…see you” Hank left. Spike went out and closed the door. Coming towards him was a researcher Spike recognised.

Cassie Newton had wrestled with her conscience for long enough, and she KNEW she had to do or say something, and quick. Then she spotted him, Mr Carling, Buffy’s manager………
“Mr Carling – look…we haven’t got long, but we’ve GOT to stop Glory!”

Spike frowned at the frail looking girl.

“I know you, you work for her don’t you” Spike said, wondering if this was another one of Glory’s devious ploys.

“Unfortunately, yes, but she’s turned into a monster – I just can’t let her get away with what she wants to do. She’s trying to force Riley and Buffy back together on-screen, and of course Buffy will reject him, but it will put her in a bad light – the guy that got her fame being shunned, then there’s her father – Buffy will probably shun him too – it’ll look awful for her, like she’s some sort of Diva, which I know isn’t true…Oh god, I wish I’d never heard of Glory Benson, she’s evil – pure evil!!” Cassie said

“I know – but-“ Spike began

“Look, we don’t have time, she’s become this real megalomaniac – a complete tyrant who wants to ruin Buffy’s career…she thinks Sweet will sit up and notice her then and make her his number two, as she’s so ruthless”

“And you’re telling me this, why?” Spike asked

“Because, well, it isn’t fair, Buffy’s done nothing wrong, I loved her song, she was just a regular girl, a role model for young girls to aspire to, and it isn’t fair!”

“You’ve got that right love, but look, don’t worry, all the guests have gone”

“GONE? – Gone where?” Cassie looked wide-eyed at Spike. A rest-room door opened a little way down the corridor, and out came Angel, his white shirtfront covered in blood from the broken nose Spike had given him.

“Oh my god, what happened to you?” Cassie asked Angel

“He took a nasty tumble in the hospitality room, didn’t you mate – ooh, looks nasty, you want to get some ice on that” Spike said daring Angel to contradict him.

“I’ll be okay, I just want my jacket – my pants have ripped………I can’t appear on the show looking like this, I’m going home” Angel said, wanting to leave as he felt scared of Spike.

“That’s it my friend, you get yourself off home…” Spike put his arm around Angel’s shoulder, giving it a warning squeeze.

“I will, don’t worry, bye”

“But what about her father – and that soldier – I let him bring his wife, Glory didn’t know about her I thought it would soften the blow of what Glory was trying to do if his wife was here too – she’d realise that she couldn’t force -”

Spike gently put his arm around Cassie’s shoulders and they began to walk down the corridor slowly.

“Cassie, Cassie, calm down………has anybody told you, you worry too much?”

“Yes, my cardiologist – I have a weak heart…she’ll be the death of me Glory Benson will, and I just know she’ll blame me for tonight”

“No she won’t”

“She will, she said she’s holding ME responsible for tonight if anything goes wrong”

“Cassie, look. I’ll take the blame I’ve got to see Sweet on Monday anyway and if there are any repercussions, I will make sure that you are totally exonerated”

“Could you write me a reference too – coz I’ll be out of a job!”

“No you won’t, come and work out of my office, I’m always telling Cordelia she works far too hard. Look, if Buffy asks, just don’t say anything about her father being here okay, I sort of made him a deal that I’d tell her he decided to go and not force the issue of seeing her, okay?” Cassie nodded

“I promise – oh you’d really let me work for you? – Oh wow – oh hell…can you hear her – quick, let’s hide in here!” Cassie opened a door marked ‘Makeup’ she and Spike went inside.

They could both hear the loud sanctimonious tone of Glory barking out orders.

“Hey, so have you found out anything about the show?” Spike and Cassie turned to see Buffy in the makeup chair.

“Oh, hi. Um, Plenty, there isn’t going to be one…the guests have gone” Spike said

“Guests? - Gone, gone where, why?” Buffy looked slightly worried

“Don’t fret, I’ll let Cassie fill you in, I – Oh, excuse me”

Spike’s mobile rang, he saw it was Xander.

“Spike – have you heard the news, Rack’s dead. He’d been put on a ventilator and a dialysis machine as his kidneys packed up, but he had a final cardiac arrest an hour ago.”

“I see - look, I’ve just had a brainwave – Xand, can you get to the office, bring those tapes and DVD’s I’ve made for the ‘Best Of Noiz…the interviews and stuff, we’re going to have a change of programme…”

“Sure, I can be with you in…half an hour”

“Perfect” Spike ended the call to hear Buffy almost shriek,

“She WHAT – I’ll kill her, you wait until I get my hands on that-“

“Kitten, don’t fret”

“Fret – I’m SO-“ Buffy was incandescent with rage

“Baby, look, no time to loose, Rack’s dead – over the last few weeks I’ve been putting together interviews and clips of Noiz concerts and back-stage stuff – we can run it as a ‘Tribute’ show instead, I was just going to leave Glory in it up to her neck, but, THIS is too good an opportunity to miss. I’ll try and get hold of Ford…Cassie, you go to reception and find out if we can stall broadcasting”


**********

Spike, Cassie and Buffy came out of makeup, and Spike suddenly spied a very dejected looking Riley coming back in to the building.

As neither Cassie nor Buffy saw this, Spike told them to carry on down to the studio, he’d follow.

Riley came back in.

“What’s up?”

“She’s taken the hospitality car - we had a car and driver – I don’t even have cab-fare to get back to the hotel”

Spike turned and saw Glory’s driver sitting reading in reception.

“George, take this man to the Holiday Inn, then onto the airport, okay”

“But Glory-“ he began

“Don’t worry, I’ll square it with her”

“Thanks mate…I just hope I can salvage my marriage”

“You will – now go!” Spike said and the two men left.

Spike took out his mobile and phoned Ford, his favourite cameraman, but got no joy.

He tried phoning Sweet’s mansion, but only got the Ansa-phone.

He’d wing it, front the show himself, as he had been their manager, Spike had an encyclopaedic memory of all Noiz’s album releases and general info of them, with the DVD’s he’d burned and tapes he’d made, he could put together a decent show.


From above him, Spike heard a shriek, and guessed that Glory had found out something was wrong.

A few seconds later, a very harassed woman, the one who’d taken the guests up to hospitality came flying into reception looking ashen.

“Oh my god, oh my GOD! – Please, has ANYONE seen the guests for Glory’s show – I took them to hospitality ten minutes ago – I TOLD them not to leave the room, but they’re gone – GONE vanished off the face of the earth, and Glory is having a blue fit up there!” The woman fumbled with her glasses and clipboard.

“Don’t fret pet, I’ve sort it”

“Do you know where they are – oh please, for the love of-“

“CASSIE…CASSIE NEWTON, YOU GET YOUR SORRY CARCASS HERE THIS MINUTE!” Glory strode into reception. She narrowed her eyes at Spike

“WHAT, are YOU doing here?”

“Saving the day, apparently, you know Glory, you REALLY ought to be a little more grateful…”

“What do you mean?”

“You want the guests – I’ll show you where they are”

“You don’t even know who I’ve got coming”

“Oh…let me think…Angel Stebson…Hank Summers…Riley – whatever, anyway, the soldier boy”

“So? One of my researchers, couldn’t keep her mouth shut, proves nothing…I know which one it is too…the one that’s conspicuous by her absence now…well she better just wait, when I-“

“You can go love, I’ll take it from here” Spike said to the harassed woman. She looked scared, and glanced from Spike to Glory. Spike smiled and nodded, quietly said,

“Go on pet, I’ve got everything covered here” The woman scooted and Spike grabbed Glory by the elbow.

“You want the guests, come with me”

Glory tried to get her arm out of his grasp, to no avail,

“Get your hands off me! If you’ve done anything to ruin this show, I’ll – “ Glory threatened

“You’ll what? – Glory, you’re not half as scary as you like to think you are…and definitely not as clever…you want your guests, they are in there” Spike nodded towards a door. Glory frowned, looked at the door, then at Spike

“Go on…” Glory slowly turned the handle and pushed open the door, it was pitch black in there.

Suddenly Spike gave her an almighty shove and she flew inside, Spike quickly followed slamming the door behind him and switching on the light.

Glory looked around what was essentially a linen cupboard

“What the fuck is-“

“I’ve never hit a woman in my life before, but in YOUR case I’m willing to make an exception, if you give me cause to, now sit down…………I SAID sit DOWN!” Glory looked around, and plonked herself on the floor.

“Sweet’s going to be so angry with you, you’ll be lucky to come out of this with any money left at all – he’ll sue your sorry ass from here to kingdom come!” Glory sneered.

“S’that right? - Well, let me worry about that, it’s of no concern to you. Now, I’m under the impression that you are getting quite used to being tied up so to speak, so…turn around……………Glory, don’t make me ask you twice”

“I’ll kill you…I fucking kill you mysel-hmm uh” Spike rolled a dish-cloth corner to corner to make a gag, and tied it quite tightly around her mouth. He then unrolled one of the roller-towels and tied her hands and feet to the framework of shelves.

He squatted down, and re-arranged her hair tidily.

“Comfy? – Good. Oh, and Riley’s wife was with him, but you didn’t know that, did you…I know what you were going to do, trying to ruin Buffy’s career, well you had better put as much energy into salvaging yours, because otherwise ……… well, like you say, you KNOW how un-forgiving Daddy can be.”

Glory was trying to shout and wriggle, all to no avail.

“Don’t worry, I’ll let somebody know where you are, I shan’t leave you ‘hanging’ around, like that boyfriend of yours did………later”

Spike left quickly closing the door behind him Glory tried to scream, but all she succeeded in doing, was to give herself a headache nearly bursting a blood-vessel.

Spike went down to the studio. Trying to contact Ford on the way, again to no avail.

“Kitten, you know how the DVD player works don’t you, you’ve seen Ford do it often enough”

“Sure”

“Cassie, can you work a video camera?”

“Yes, but – “

“But nothing – could we delay the scheduling at all?”

“There’s been a big load of trouble in the Middle East, some leader has been killed in a suicide bombing, the news will over-run but ten minutes, and then we can run four minutes of commercials, then announce the change in scheduling, and say we are going to show a tribute to the singer Rack, that gives us 16½ minutes extra, the network boss said if you can run this show for 38 minutes, that will give you two commercial breaks of four minutes each, and end transmission at the allotted time, so nothing else will over-run – they’d be very grateful to you”

“No problem, I can waffle on and show clips – how long until we’re due on air?”

Cassie looked at her watch and calculated…

“50 minutes – yes, that’s right…50”

“Good girl, right, Buffy, help me shift this sofa”

“Excuse me…excuse me has anybody seen Glory Benson?” a rather nervous director asked Spike, then he asked,

“Um, what are you doing? – Miss Benson specifically asked to have the sofa’s arranged like-“

“Don’t sweat it, mate, Miss Benson is a bit tied up at the moment, there’s to be a change in programming…we’re screening a tribute to Rack – lead singer with Noiz, he died today”

“Oh, um why wasn’t I told of this?”

“Well, I’m telling you now, and because it’s only just been decided…there, that’s better – um, you, yes you, and you, can you get me a video and a DVD player – and I want a spot light on that sofa, and you can get rid of the autocue, it won’t be needed” The two floor hands looked at the director, who relieved at not having to work with Glory Benson shouted,

“Come along, chop-chop, you heard him, do as the man says!” This spurred them into action.

“Cassie, go to reception and get onto security, tell them a Mr Xander Harris is coming in with vital show tapes – to wave him through, okay?”

“I’m on it”

“Buffy, don’t look so worried pet, when I want you to run the DVD, I’ll say just that, you hit the play button – the first DVD I’ve burned runs for 18 minutes, should take us nicely to a commercial break – then we can set up the next” Buffy nodded, but she felt nervous.

Cassie came back from the errand and said

“I’ve okayed it with security about Mr Harris, and put the schedule announcer on stand-by for the programme change announcement”

“Good girl! – I can see you are going to be a great asset in our office! Right…I need access to a computer?”

“Through there” One of the floor hands pointed to a door and Spike went off.

“I’m sorry what Glory was going to do, I said to Mr Carling, that I thought it was horrible…” Cassie went onto explain a little more to Buffy.

“So Riley’s married eh – well, well!” Buffy said smiling

In the computer room, Spike hastily drew up a copyright on the DVD, and videos he was about to use, he emailed Sweet with some scant details, and downloaded a previously unheard-by-the-public track from his own personal music file to use as backing music.

Cassie was just about to go to him, when Spike came out of the office

“How are things, how are we doing for time?” he asked

“We have 19 minutes before start, and Mr Harris has just driven onto the lot”
Cassie informed him

“Good work...well – relax, take five everybody, this is going to work out fine, I know it!” Spike said putting his arm around Buffy.

*************

Riley had just missed his wife at the hotel, she’d packed her things but left his there, the flight ticket had gone, so he quickly threw everything he could find into the suitcase left, and raced out to the car.

“Airport, and quick!”

Fifteen minutes later, the car screeched onto the forecourt outside the airport entrance. Riley looked around for the flight information desks, and went over. The queues were horrendously long at all three, and he quickly scanned the people waiting, looking for his wife. It was only when a family moved away from the middle desk, he spotted her, and pushing through the queues, excusing himself as he went he heard her say,

“Change this double ticket to two singles, and can I leave the one here for him to collect? We weren’t due to fly until tomorrow, but – oh!” Riley’s hand covered hers and Sam dropped the pen.

“That won’t be necessary – we’ll be flying together” Riley said, looking hopefully at his wife.

“Mrs Finn? – What do you want me to do, I have rather a large queue of people waiting” The ground staff lady behind the desk said.

“Oh, um, I erm…sorry…it’ll be fine, thankyou” She took the double ticket back and they both moved out of the queue.

“So, you didn’t do the show then?”

“No. I didn’t want to be there without you. I - where do I start………I kept getting these phone calls from Glory Benson to contact her………………I asked if you could come, and I was told yes of course, I wanted you to have a nice break, that’s all, I would have never come on my own, baby it’s YOU I love……………Buffy was never really in love with me…”

“How can you say that – she wrote you a love song?”

“Did she? Does it say, Oh Riley where are you, I love you, come home to me?”

“Well, no but, she always said that-“

“That song…to be truthful – I think it was more about missing her mom as much as she was missing me, she’d not long died, then Buffy didn’t hear from me, so, for one reason or another…you know how things are when you’re a teenager, you moon around in your bedroom listening to sad songs, writing poetry, thinking nobody understands…”

“I’m sorry.. over-reacted some, didn’t I?” Sam felt silly and embarrassed at her actions and looked down at her feet. Riley raised her chin so she’d look at him.

“Just a little…I don’t know why I didn’t really tell you who it was I , well we were coming here to see………well, perhaps I do, but I didn’t want you to say no. I WANTED us to have a few days in a swanky hotel full of luxuries that I couldn’t afford to give you. You deserve nice things, I thought it would be a treat, but I got it wrong, and I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt you”

“No…no you didn’t get it wrong, I did…well perhaps we both did! I shouldn’t have over-reacted, and you should have told me who it was in the first place!”

“Um, excuse me sir, but will you be needing me again?” Riley turned to look at Glory’s driver.

“Well baby, we DO have another night booked and paid for, shall we?”

“But as you haven’t done the show, oh my god, what if they try and-“

“Got it covered, come on, I’ll tell you on the way back to the hotel!” Grinning, Riley and Sam went back to the car to be driven to the hotel.

“……………So this guy who is Buffy’s boyfriend by the way said not to worry, he works for the same company as Glory, he’ll make sure everything is okay, she won’t sue us”

“Her boyfriend – oh!”

“Yeah, he’s her manager too – seemed to know what he was talking about anyway” Riley said, and safe in the knowledge that she had been really silly, Sam slipped down into the comfort of her husbands embrace as they were driven back to the hotel.

**********

“………Change in tonight’s scheduling, Due to the untimely death of one of rock and roll’s more outrageous characters, we will now screen a Tribute to Rack, who sadly died today”

Inside the studio, the director counted down and pointed to Spike. Much to Buffy’s relief, Xander stayed and helped her, he’d also bought Harmony with him, and she said she’d do a ‘live’ interview with Spike about Rack when they were both at the ‘Party in the Park’ in London the previous year.

**********

Lorne was sitting on the sofa, Dru was curled up asleep next to him, and Daddy was in the office. Not really listening to the announcer, he was expecting to hear the name Glory Benson and the show’s title. The video timer kicked in, and when he heard the words, Tribute to Rack, Lorne looked up sharply at the screen, Daddy needed to see this, NOW!”

“Daddy!” He knocked and didn’t wait to be told to go in, he just entered the office.

Sweet was seated behind his desk, looking at papers.

“Daddy, you better come and see this”

“What – oh god…don’t tell me I’ve played right into one of Glory’s fucked-up stunts – she made me promise to-!”

“No, nothing like that at all – it’s been pulled!” Lorne said excitedly walking on ahead back towards the lounge.

When they got in there, Dru was sitting up grinning, she had the remote control in her hand and she’d turned up the volume. On screen was a scene of Noiz on stage, playing one of their huge stadium gigs. Rack was sweaty and screaming down the microphone, the camera panned around to show a crowd of thousands, absolutely loving it, jumping up and down singing. Spike was doing the voice-over.

“So I take it you didn’t know about this…it’s brilliant – the timing is perfect – that man Spike is a genius!” Lorne said. They listened as Spike said,

“………………………The band’s meteoric rise to fame gave them the Midas touch, with their first three singles, Slayer, Devil Child and Exorcist all hit the Billboard chart at number one, their first album, Rite of Passage went double platinum in a week of it’s release, selling in excess of half a million copies a day.”

Sweet stared at the screen, leering his leery grin. – Perfect! He had to hand it to Spike…Lorne was right, the guy WAS a genius, and how on EARTH Spike had persuaded Glory to give up her prime-time slot for this, he’d NEVER know!

********

Spike ended the show with a series of clips of Rack and the whole band, then the final still of Rack on his own, with the words Rack- 1959-2004 RIP. The song faded and Spike watched the director count him out.

“That’s a wrap”

Everybody cheered, it had been an absolutely BRILLIANT success, the switchboard was jammed with calls, and Buffy went up and hugged him

“You were totally awesome!”

“Why, thank you Kitten!”

“Mr Carling…Mr Carling, excuse me, but um – “

“Call me Spike, Cassie!”

“Spike…Mr Sweetly’s on the phone for you” Cassie passed Spike one of the studios mobile phones.

“Spike – that was brilliant – the tribute show – best I’ve ever seen - totally amazing – I want you in my office first thing – well, not first thing but-“

“Actually Sweet…I think I’ll leave it until our scheduled meeting on Monday, if you don’t mind – I have plans for my weekend, I’ll see you on Monday 9am, as arranged”

Buffy, Cassie, Harmony and Xander looked at him in total awe – usually when the boss said ‘jump,’ you said, ‘how high’ – and here was Spike telling Sweet just exactly how it was going to be!

“Oh, very well then, yes, you deserve some time off, Monday then” Sweet acquiesced

“Yeah, bye” Spike ended the call with a grin.

“WOW – Kudos my friend – no one else would DARE speak to him like that!” Xander said totally awestruck.

“Nobody else just got the network out of the mire like Spike did!” Buffy said.

Cassie declined going for a drink with them, saying she was tired, and said goodnight.

“Come on then, shall we go back to mine – I’ve got some Champagne in the fridge…I’ve been looking for an excuse to open it!”

Outside security were having an argument with a paparazzo, who insisted that he’d got a pass from Glory Benson to be inside.

“Pavayne, my name is Pavayne, she SAID she’d leave me a pass”

“I’m sorry sir, but Miss Benson has left, her show didn’t air, there was a tribute show broadcast instead”

“Tribute show?”

“Yes, the rock-star Rack died this evening”

“WHAT – OH FUCK!” Pavayne should have been outside the clinic taking photos, not hanging around here, arguing the toss like a dick…he stormed off to his car promising himself to see Miss Benson, and thank her for not letting him know her show had been cancelled.

“There’s always one…come on, let’s go get ourselves a break” the one security officer said to the other, and they went inside.

“Shh…did you hear that?” The one officer stopped and listened

“What?”

“I don’t know…tapping?”

The other guy listened, and heard nothing

“No”

“Just me then…actually, my ears could be water-logged from swimming”

“Swimming eh, my Mrs has got me onto tennis………”

Inside the linen cupboard, Glory stopped trying to tap on the wall with her heel, she was getting cramp in her leg from doing it, not that anybody could hear it. She resigned herself to the fact that she’s be there until the cleaners found her in the morning…
***********


At twenty past midnight, Harmony and Xander left. Buffy and Spike waved them from the doorstep.

“Are you tired, kitten?”

“No………but then, we’ve got the whole weekend to ourselves!”

“Baby, can I talk to you?” Spike looked serious and Buffy felt a little ominous chill, and nodded.

They sat on the sofa, nursing a brandy apiece, Spike had cuddled her to him.

“……………So, I told him I wouldn’t force or ask you to see him, nothing like that was promised, but I did say I’d tell you that he thought better of his actions, changed his mind, wouldn’t force a meeting on you and decided to leave it up to you.”

“Half of me wants to see him………but, well, I don’t want him to start doing a character assassination on my mom…it would be so easy for him to say, oh, your mom did and said this, your mom said and did that – she’s not here to defend herself”

“I know Kitten…it can’t be easy”

“When he first went…it was a relief that I didn’t have to hear them arguing………sometimes I’d sit on the stairs and listen. They always used to wait until I was in bed, thinking I was asleep…and then after he’d gone, I didn’t hear arguing, but I used to hear mom cry herself to sleep. If I went in to her, course she’d pretend nothing was wrong, that everything was all right”

Spike stroked the hair out of her face.

“Nobody can force you to do what you don’t want to do baby – take your time – and if you don’t feel ready to see him, then you could always write him a letter or something first – you don’t even have to send it, sometimes it helps to see things written down” Buffy nodded and downed her brandy, put her glass on the coffee table and stood up.

“Come on………enough talking for now………I want some action from my ‘Superhero!’”

She pulled a grinning Spike to his feet, and he swiftly scooped her up making her giggle. She immediately threw her arms around his neck and said,

“My Hero!”

Spike carried her carefully upstairs – they were both giggling at first, but that soon gave way to passionate kisses and a swift removal of clothing…………


********
chapter 38 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 38


“Well, as soon as she IS found, I want to see her” Sweet said

“Yes Daddy…anything else?”

“Um…move Spike’s Monday appointment to nearer lunchtime please…and phone him personally to tell him, as he’s not in the office”

“Right – now, Rack’s funeral – who’s going to arrange it?”

“His wife, I suppose”

“His WHAT – hell, I didn’t know he was married!” Lorne said shocked.

“Very little know fact. I think really it was a ‘marriage of convenience’ – he was very young – only 18 or 19, it was to stop this student being deported – Swedish or Danish she was…her name was Inge. They never got divorced – his mother is still alive too, and he had siblings”

Lorne was surprised.

There was a loud thump from upstairs, and they both looked up at the ceiling.

“Dru’s up with Cecily I presume” Sweet said, and Lorne nodded, then he said,

“She was a little upset about Rack, - they dated briefly”

“How is she coming along – is she being good and taking her medicine?”

“Oh yes”

“And she’s being a ‘GOOD’ girl, by that I mean she’s not indulging in any drug taking – other than that prescribed”

“Well, she’s not had anything from me – she was talking about going on a little holiday”

“Actually, that’s not a bad idea – let me see……………” Sweet perused his desk diary.

“Hmm…okay, look, I’ve got to be away overnight next Thursday – I’ve invited the accountant out to dinner – on the boat, which incidentally I must get you to sort that out, I want it sailed to the Florida keys, I’ll fly out to it, then when I’ve finished my business, you can bring the girls for the weekend”

“Okay…is there anything else?”

“Don’t think so…oh, is my photograph hung yet – the one I had from Spike for my birthday?”

“In you office, behind your desk”

“Good, I’d like for Spike to see it when he sees me on Monday – I did tell you to-”

“Yes, yes. I’ll change the time and tell him personally”

“Okay then…11.10 – coffee time I think Lorne” Lorne stood and said

“Yes, Daddy,” and left the office. Out in the hallway, he met Dru coming down the stairs.

“Hello Shortcake…how’s the invalid?”

“She’s okay, she said something about her medicine?” Dru said

“I’m just making coffee, I’ll bring it up after, okay?”

Dru nodded, she was transfixed by what she’d just read on Lorne’s notebook.

Lorne had written in capitals ‘Daddy away overnight Thursday – get Carlos to sail boat to Florida Keys’

“Dru…Dru – hello, you still there, baby?” Dru had been ‘miles away’ thinking, she’d be able to put her plan into practice on Thursday…………

“Hmm – What – sorry?”

“You want some coffee?”

“Oh, um…no thanks, poor Cecily can’t have any yet, the smell makes her wild so I won’t”

“Well, just you go back up and I’ll bring up her meds when I’ve taken Daddy his latte, okay?”


Dru nodded. Inside she felt excited, with Daddy away on Thursday, she’d be able to put her plan into action………


***********


Having set the temperature just right, Buffy tipped her head back and let the warm water cascade over her breasts. She saw Spike’s shadow and then he opened the door and climbed in the shower with her.

“Hmm…just right………” Buffy shifted so Spike could wet himself, and then she reached for the shower gel, squirted a blob out onto her hand and rubbed them together, then she ran her soapy hands up his chest and over his shoulders. Spike pulled he close and began to kiss her.

“Hmmmm…we’re not going to get very clean………doing…hmmmmmmm…ooohh!” Buffy melted into his tight embrace

“Any objections?” Spike murmured, roving kisses over her neck and breasts

Buffy shook her head and winding her arms around his neck, she wrapped her legs around his waist, pausing only to impale herself on him. Gasping, he took her hard and fast against the shower wall. Buffy swiftly came with a sharp cry, Spike quickly followed, and she felt him flood her with his cool essence and she relaxed her legs. The water had begun to run cool, so they quickly showered themselves clean and wrapped in warm fluffy towelling robes, and then they went back into the bedroom.

“Are you hungry, Kitten?”

“Starving!”

“Well…I know this great little place in the village for brunch…then I thought we could do some shopping, I could get us a couple of nice juicy steaks for dinner – we could have a nice bottle of wine, and stay in – what do you say?”

“I think, for a Saturday night in, it sounds the best plan ever!” Buffy said grinning, then added,

“But, we might want to put the hospital on stand-by, if you’re cooking…”

She looked up from pulling on her little camisole top to see Spike bearing down on her quickly from the other side of the room, he’d got a glint in his eye and he said,

“You wait…” Buffy had been fumbling with a little cardigan, shrieked and threw it at Spike and scrambled over the bed giggling.

“SPIKE! – No, Spike – I’m sorry………oh I didn’t mean it!”

“Come here little girl…do you want to know what I’m going to do when I catch you?” Buffy found herself corned and she grinned and turned to face him

“Big Bad Spike’s coming to get you!”

“Oh yeah? Well…I know Big Bad Spike’s weak spot………” Buffy gave him a sexy look, leaving her tongue in the corner of her mouth.

“Oh yeah?” Spike grabbed her and began to tickle her, reducing her to a squealing, giggling heap, before he scooped her up and threw her on the bed.

They began to kiss and suddenly Spike leaned up and said,

“You’re hungry, I mustn’t start – OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!”

“There…that’s your ‘weak spot’ Big Bad Spike…wanna show me just how Big and Bad he can be, huh?” Buffy had reached down and cupped his manhood, and gave it a gentle squeeze and rub, next she hooked her leg behind him, pulling him down towards her……………and despite having only just made love in the shower, they were both eager again…

“And THAT’S what you get for being cheeky!” Spike said, cuddling her up.

Buffy just stuck her tongue out at him and said,

“Well, put that on account for next time…did you say something about brunch – I could eat a horse!”

“Well, it’ll have to be lunch now………did you want to go out this evening pet?”

“Oh no! I want to do just as you said, and I love your cooking, I was only teasing…and look what it got me – another ravishing!”
She leaned over and kissed his nose.

“You get dressed then baby, I must make a quick phonecall to the office – I want to know the viewing figures for last night”

Buffy dressed and came out of the bathroom.

Spike ended the call he was trying to make.

“Every where’s busy, the switchboard, my office, even Cordy’s private cell phone”

“Well, I suppose they’re all tied up with this Rack dying thing”

“Yeah – OH F- HELL!” Buffy saying ‘tied up’ reminded Spike of what he’d done to Glory, and how he’d forgotten to let anybody know…he had meant to phone the station anonymously, but it had gone clean out of his head………

“What, what is it baby?” Buffy looked worriedly at Spike

“Hmm? – Oh, don’t worry, it’s-“ His cell phone rang and he answered it.

“Hello – oh hi Cordy, I just tried to call you”

“Yeah? Well it’s chaos here – boy did you pick the right time to have a couple of days off!”

“So, is Sweet in?”

“Yeah, he’s sacked Glory – a researcher called Cassie Newton came in and told him all what Glory had planned, how she wanted to ruin Buffy’s career, so he sacked her, he said if she went to the papers or media, he’d have her exposed as a fraud – all the stunts she used to pull, and he also said he’d make sure she’d never get work from here to New York…so she’s gone quietly”

“You saw her then, she seemed ok – I mean apart from being sacked”

“Oh yes, I came up to the office with her in the elevator………she looked like she hadn’t slept any, she was a bit dishevelled but she looked her normal, evil self, why?”

“Oh, no – um, no reason………did she say anything about me – I ruined her show”

“Cassie told me all about it – WHAT a bitch! But Glory didn’t speak to me. Um, was there a fight or anything…did Xander get punched?”

“Xander, no why – he and Harm came back to mine after the show, he was perfectly alright then, why?”

“Oh, well he had this big bruise on his forehead, he said he slipped in the bathroom this morning…must be true then – no matter, oh, did you get the message from Lorne yet?”

“No, what’s that?”

“He said he’d phone you. The meeting with Sweet on Monday, he said to make it 11.30am instead of nine”

Spike grinned at this, and said,

“Great…I always knew Sweet didn’t know that 9am existed – anyway Cordy, must run pet, I’m taking my best girl out to lunch” Buffy smiled at him and Spike ended the call.

“Everything okay baby – I thought it looked like you’d suddenly remembered something before the call”

“Oh, no, everything was okay”

“Good, so what were they, any good?”

“Was what any good, Kitten?”

“The ratings –the viewing figures”

“Hell! I forgot to ask…but, want the good news?”

“Go on”

“Sweet’s sacked Glory – Cassie went in and told him all what she was going to do, and he sacked her, and he also said if she tried to go to the papers or anything, he’d see to it that she never worked in America again!”

“WOW – he’s actually sacked her………”

“Don’t worry about it kitten, she was heading right off the rails anyway, she was getting idea’s above her station – it would have happened sooner or later – now come on pet, else it’ll be afternoon tea we’ll be having instead of lunch, we already missed brunch!”

******


Xander turned over and looked at the clock, it was ten to eight. Thinking it would probably be prudent to get into the office early, especially as Spike was out he carefully got up out of bed so as not to disturb Harmony who was fast asleep still.

He went into the bathroom and got his stuff out for shaving. He needed a new blade, and fumbling with the little plastic tray trying to slot a new blade in, he flipped up the whole thing and they landed in the bin. Reaching to retrieve it, Xander pulled out a small box by mistake. Not realising this until he stood up, he read,

‘Clear Blue’ the quick easy one-step pregnancy test’ he blinked at the box, thinking this isn’t my spare blades, when two words leapt out at him…
Pregnancy Test…he stared at it for a couple of seconds, and then it hit him.

“PREGNACNY TEST – OH FU-………………………”

Knees’ buckling, Xander landed in a heap on the floor, banging his head on the sink.

The loud thump woke Harmony, and she turned over and found herself alone in bed, she got up and went to the door and called out,

“Pookie…POOKIE – is that you…Pookie bear…where are you?”

“Baby………what was that thump - OH MY GOD POOKIE!!”

She knelt down and tried to rouse him.

“Baby! Come on sweetness…are you okay – oh my darling…ooohh…did you slip – oh” Looking in his right hand, Harmony saw the pregnancy test kit box, and she bit her lip.

Xander groaned.

“Baby…come on, let’s sit you up…can you…there…that’s it, lean against the bath…I’ll get a cold wash-cloth…” She got a clean cloth out of the cupboard and after wringing it out in cold water she gently placed it on his forehead.

“Ow – ouch, ooooohhhhh my head!” Xander groaned

“Oh poor, poor Pookie!”

“Harm – Harmony…are you…oh god, I mean are you…”

“No Pookie, I’m not pregnant”

Xander opened his eyes, and reached for her hand.

“Are you okay babe?”

“Me – it’s you that’s got the bang on the head, I’m fine…what happened?”

“I dropped my blades in the bin by mistake, and found this”

“I’m sorry…I didn’t mean for you to-“

“Hey, it was a shock, that’s all”

“Can you stand up…come on, let’s get you back into bed”

“No, I’ll be okay…Spike’s out, and with Rack dead, the place will be swamped with reporters and that, I’ve got to go in” Xander shakily got to his feet. He held onto the sink for balance. Harmony looked worried.

“Are you sure you should babe, that’s a nasty bruise you’ve got coming up”

“I’ll be okay, I’ve got some Advil in the cabinet”

“Okay, look, I’ll get some coffee on, and I’ll drive you in”

“You sure, you could just go back to bed”

“I wouldn’t dream of it” Harmony said, already out in the hall and halfway to the kitchen.

“There you go baby…” Harmony placed a glass of water and two headache tablets in front of Xander, then a mug of black coffee.

“Thanks babe…um, Baby”

“Yes?”

Xander leaned forward and took her hand.

“Have you been worrying over being, well thinking that you were pregnant?”

Harmony looked into her coffee mug, and then up at Xander.

“No, well not, not really. I just thought that, well, I’ve been feeling sick a lot lately, and my jeans have got tight, I mean really tight, I had to use a coat hanger to do my favourite pair up the other week…my monthlies have always been, well erratic…it was just an idea I got…”

“You don’t eat that much – perhaps it’s an allergy – wheat or dairy”

“Could be. I’m sorry Pookie, I didn’t mean for you to see it”

“Promise me something” Xander said, still holding her hand

Harmony nodded, and Xander gently pulled her to come across and sit on his lap.

She softly stroked the hair from his forehead and placed the softest kiss on his bruise.

“Never be worried to tell me things, will you?”

“Things?”

“Well, anything that you’re worried about. We’re a couple, and well, we’re in this together, aren’t we? – What I’m trying to say is…………I love you baby”

Harmony let out a squeal and threw her arms around his neck

“Oh Pookie – I love you too!”

“Um…ow?”

“Oh god, sorry, sorry baby!” Harmony had forgotten about his big bruise

Xander cuddled her up.

“I should have said sooner”

“It’s okay – it’s brilliant………I’m so happy!” They both sat there for a while just basking, when the phone rang.

“That’ll be the office, I bet”

“I’ll just go and get dressed” Xander said, leaving Harmony to take the call.

“I’ll tell them we’re on our way” Harmony said.

“Hello………oh hi Cordy…………will he, yes, I know he’s out, we’re just on our way…okay, bye”

“She said Sweet will be in at ten, and could you go in as Spike’s out, I told her were on our way”

*********


Glory looked through the spy-hole in her front door, and saw I was one of the doormen from one of the clubs she used to frequent that she’d hired to find and beat up Willy for her.

“What do you want?”

“I want you to open this door”

“Look…I’m not in the mood for this, have you found him yet?”

“That’s what we want to talk about”

“We, who’s this ‘we’?”

“Me”

“And me”

“Me too” Glory heard three different voices, and she swallowed

“Just a minute………I’m not dressed – I won’t be long!”

Thinking fast, Glory half wondered whether to try and jump out of the window and leg it………but she need her stuff, so she went into her bedroom, bundled the case off bed and stuck it in the wardrobe out of sight.

She answered the door, letting the four huge guys in.

She gave them a bright false smile.

“Now, gentlemen…what is there to discuss?”

“Our fees for a start………so far, it’s us that’s done all the work, for no recompense”

Glory tried to keep her anger in check

“Look, guys… I ask you to do one simple, tiny little thing, to find a simple barman, to rough him up a little, and bring him to me. Have you done this?” She looked at them expectantly. The four guys shuffled a little uncomfortably, glancing at each other, and then they either said no, or shook their heads.

“No. So exactly what am I PAYING YOU FOR?” her anger suddenly got the better of her and she screamed the last few words at them.

“I work nights, instead of sleeping, I’ve been out looking for him, we’ve put feelers out, asked questions” The guy whinged.

“And you expect me to pay you, when you have no proof of this?”

“But I HAVE!” The guy said indignantly, to which Glory said angrily,

“Well, you’ve been looking and asking in all the wrong bloody places! God! Okay, look, forget it – just forget I ever asked you to find him!”

“Fine, but we still want half of what you said you’d give us, it’s only fair” Another guy said.

The other three guys looked at him annoyed, but he reasoned that they hadn’t actually done the job, and half was better than nothing. The guy that Glory spoke to first spoke again.

“Okay, that’s fair, half”

“You’ll have to come – tomorrow – I’ve no cash on me”

“Tonight, I don’t trust you”

“Well, tough. Tomorrow, or nothing”

“Don’t renege on us, Miss Benson”

She didn’t let the guy threaten her she just said,

“You know where the door is, you can see yourself out”

The four men left and after lighting a cigarette, Glory ordered herself a cab and went into the bedroom and began to finish packing……...huh, if those stupid lugs thought that she was going to pay them for doing fuck all, well, they were more stupid than she thought in the first place……………

*********


Harmony lay in bed thinking. Would it have been so terrible if she had of been pregnant? – She was 25, 26 in a few months…time was marching on – so many singers she knew ‘put off’ having families and relationships for their careers…

Anya for one – Carly, that Australian singer – she might look like a moppet, but she was kicking 40 now, and leaving it a little late for having kids…Kids. Children. Offspring. Progeny – they drove her mad when she’d done the Christmas video…but it would be a baby first...a tiny sweet little baby that okay, would grow up – but your own are different, aren’t they?

Xander rolled over and cuddled her up

“Pookie………baby…hey Xander…are you awake?”

“Hmm – wha – what’s up?”

“I was thinking” Harmony said, matter of factly. Xander snuggled up, without even opening his eyes.

“What’s that poppet…………”

“Let’s get married”

“Okay…anything you – WHAT?” Xander sat up – suddenly wide-awake.

“But Ithoughtyounsaidthatyouweren’t!” Xander garbled, scrabbling for the lamp, he switched it on.

Harmony also sat up, adjusted her pillows and looked at him.

“What?”

“You know, preggers!” he squinted at her in the light.

“I know, and I’m not – I just thought well, I love you, and you love me…and well, we’d get engaged first, obviously………but it would give me – US some stability”

“Yes…but well…what’s the urgency?”

“There isn’t…I mean eventually” Harmony said, smiling

Xander yawned and scratched his head………he glanced at the clock, and saw it was 3.10am.

“I thought that we could move in together – I mean, we practically do anyway, but make it official, see how we get on while I do my tour, then next summer get engaged”

“Live together first? – I could go for that…so we’d be sure…before we took any…big steps” Xander said. He was going to say ‘drastic’ at first, but he didn’t want her to think he didn’t love or care for her, it was just, well…a bit soon? Harmony smiled and nodded.

“Okay…(he turned off the lamp, lay down and cuddled her up) what’s up pet, can’t you sleep?”

“No, I wasn’t tired…but I am now”

Soon Harmony was softly snoring, leaving Xander fully awake…Marriage. Getting hitched…the old ‘Ball and Chain’…he hadn’t had a very good example set him with his parents…Suddenly he was struck by an awful thought **OH GOD – MY PARENTS – SHE’LL WANT TO MEET THEM!** Xander didn’t get much more sleep that night………………

**********


Monday Morning.

Spike and Buffy spent an idyllic weekend, mostly making love, only stopping to eat when they were hungry – listening to music, talking and really just enjoying each other’s company. Buffy had also written to her father, and suggested a meeting on ‘neutral’ territory.

All too soon Monday morning came around.

“What time’s your meeting with Sweet?”

“It was changed to 11.30, Lorne phoned me Saturday morning and told me – I think you might have been in the shower”

“Well, he isn’t going to sack you, that’s for sure – not after what you did on Friday with that tribute show!”

Spike just grinned and winked.

“Six and a half million – with another two million after the first commercial break – what did they say, the highest viewing figure EVER for a single show on that cable network?” Buffy said brushing her hair.

Spike pulled up his jeans, and did the belt up, he was grinning.

“Something like that, yeah. Are you going to record today?”

“Uh huh…that song ‘Wishes’”

“I’ll try and get to see you, but well, you know how it is, I don’t know how long this meeting is going to be with his holiness!”

“That’s okay, I think Ford is busy first thing anyway – I’ll just hang around the office with Cordy, catch up on all the gossip!”

“Okay pet…ready?” Buffy nodded and they left the house.

**********


“HEY! Here they are! And here’s the hero of the hour! – No wonder you need sunglasses…I bet you two haven’t seen daylight all weekend!” Cordelia teased. Buffy blushed and Spike grinned, taking off his glasses and hooking them down his shirtfront.

“So, is the Lord and Master in, is he?”

“For the last twenty minutes, would you believe, and you can go straight up if you like – he said”

“Right – so – how was the date – did this 007 of yours have any ‘special gadgets’ to show you?” Spike asked Cordy, who blushed beet red, and grinning she swatted him on the arm.

“Shut up! Im not telling YOU!”

“Don’t worry baby, she’ll spill to me – come on Cordy – coffee time, help me catch up on all the gossip!”

“Buffy – Mr Carl –I mean Spike - hello!”


“Hi Cass – no problems fitting in I see!” Buffy said smiling

“Oh, hi Cassie – how are you liking the new job?” Spike grinned at her too

“It’s fantastic – the girls upstairs are SO envious of me!”

“Will you be okay if I………” Cordelia pointed upwards, meaning she wanted to go to the café.

“Sure, don’t rush back – you can leave things to me. Want me to start cataloguing those photo-files?” Cassie asked, and Cordelia grinned

“Would you – that would be great!” She left the office and said to Buffy,

“Spike is a genius – Cassie cataloguing photo files – a job I HATE! – She is a little god-send!” The two girls grinned at each other as they made their way for coffee.

********
chapter 39 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 39

Spike knocked on Sweet’s door, and waited for the ‘come in’.

“Yes, come”

Spike took a deep breath, and entered. The first thing he noticed – you couldn’t fail to miss it, was the blown-up photograph he’d sent Sweet for his birthday hanging on the wall. Spike then glanced at the man himself, who was looking quite cheerful, in his leery kind of smile way.

“Morning Spike – come in, sit down, coffee?”

“Please”

Sweet pressed the intercom, and Lorne entered with a trolley, and served them

When he’d left the room, Sweet looked at Spike.

“Okay Spike, I’ve got a few things on various subjects I’d like to say – so we’ll crack on. First – I think an apology is in order”

Spike looked at his boss impassively, but said nothing – Sweet continued.

“Well, I’m sorry – I’m sorry I listened to Glory, I should have realised that she had some ulterior agenda going on. I’ve since learned that she was trying to ruin Betty’s – sorry, I mean Buffy’s career – although how she thought that loosing us millions in revenue would make me think she was some sort of managerial material I do not know”

Spike sat there still – he was a little surprised that Sweet even knew the word sorry existed – when he said an apology was in order, Spike immediately thought that Sweet wanted him to apologise………but well! You lived and learned, didn’t you…

Sweet continued,

“And as for you storming out of meetings – I do wish you wouldn’t – you might miss something vital, but that’s about to change too, I’ll tell you more in a minute. Now, the tribute show – inspired – and I’ll never know how you got Glory to give up the slot”

“Glory? – Oh, let’s just say, she got a little tied up………Basically – the guests she had lined up for the show left - there was trouble before I got there, some old rivalry between some of the guests – then they learned what Glory had in mind, they went. I had a phonecall from Xander telling me Rack was dead, the news was over-running – we had just under an hour to go before broadcast, and the network asked if I could fill 38 minutes – I did – I was at the right place at the right time – plus, I’d been doing my job, properly.

I’d got an idea for doing some ‘tribute’ shows anyway – profiling band members, using footage of concerts interviews and comments from the band members themselves – I’ve got several in mind actually – and what with the anniversary of Noiz being in the business for 25 years coming up, and a possible ‘best of’ album being released, I thought it prudent to do them first…like I say, I was doing my job – which of late you don’t give me credit for – THAT’S why I storm out of meetings”

Sweet looked at Spike – and as Spike was on a roll, Sweet let him continue.

“To be told how to do my job, to do the basics, to go out talent spotting – to sign new bands isn’t only annoying, it’s insulting, especially in front of the other managers – it shows lack of respect for me as a manager, so, the only way I know to show you my disapproval is to walk out”

Sweet nodded and said ruefully

“Yes, yes…I DO understand, I should have had more faith in you”

“Yes, you should have” Spike was quick to reply

“I think we both have had other things on our minds too, huh?” Sweet ventured, looking closely at Spike’s reaction.

“Other things?” Spike was genuinely puzzled.

“Dru?” Sweet said, still looking hard at him

“Dru? – What about her?”

“What are your…intentions – shall we say?”

“Intentions? – I intend to stay as far away from the mad – woman as I can – that’s MY intention – I only hope and pray hers is the same from now on!”

Spike didn’t take his eyes of Sweet for a second while he said that. He nearly swore, he nearly said ‘mad bitch’, but didn’t think it entirely appropriate.

Sweet nodded and said,

“I rather gather from Lorne that she has…how shall I say…”

“Been making a bloody nuisance of herself as far as I’m concerned?” Spike thought it only fair to put all his cards on the table about how he felt about Dru now, so he continued,

“If Lorne hadn’t been at your birthday party the other night, I hate to think what would have happened – I’ve not given her ANY encouragement, quite the opposite in fact, I’ve been quiet, disinterested, and practically downright rude to her – I want to make it clear to her that not even friendship is possible – because with Dru, it has to be all or nothing, and believe me – I TOTALLY want nothing, she bled me dry emotionally and there is NO WAY I’m ever going through that again”

Sweet nodded, he was glad to hear it and leaned back in his executive chair.

“We’re going away for a little holiday next weekend. When we come back, well I shall sort something out – I shan’t expect you at any function where she might be for a while, until she settles down” Sweet said

Spike thought **settles down…when hell freezes mate** but voiced nothing.

“You like the picture then” Spike asked smiling

Sweet turned to look at it and then he turned back to Spike.

“Ahh, yes…Carrisbrooke, 1979…I was thinking…I rather wish I’d kept my Roman nose now – rather regal looking, don’t you think?”

Spike stopped himself rolling his eyes, vain sod Sweet was!

“It was your first solo arrangement, wasn’t it?”

Sweet turned to Spike and leered a grin,

“First SUCCESSFUL gig I did solo…remember that disaster-ridden tour of
Alpha, Beta, Gamma the year before – where the tour bus blew up in the end…that was my first!” Spike didn’t know this and he grinned – well, well, well, who’d have thought it – Sweet admitting to failure.

“Well…not actually no, I was only a year old at the time – but I did read about it…didn’t know it was you though!”

“I’d like to keep it quiet, if you don’t mind!” Sweet said, but he was still sort of smiling.

“We all learn by our mistakes, well, hopefully we do” Spike said, shrugging, wondering where this little meeting was headed now………Sweet piped up,

“I’ve decided that you don’t have to come to any more monthly meetings, Spike, it’ll save us both in the long run, I won’t tell you how to do your job, and you won’t have to keep on storming out – saves face all round – any information you need I’ll either email you or get Cordelia to pass it on to you.

And I think a pay rise is due to you too, plus a bonus for every band you sign that has top ten success – what do you say to that?”

Spike nodded thoughtfully, then added,

“What about the idea for the tribute shows – I’ve got The Applejacks, Stormy Weather, The Pete Quellar Band and The Gentlemen as suggested shows”

Sweet held his hands out and said,

“Sounds excellent to me – I’ll leave it entirely in your hands – use who and what you want, and when it’s ready you bring me a copy and I‘ll book you a slot on the network. Right then, is there anything else?” Sweet asked

Spike more than pleased with the outcome of this meeting, put down his coffee cup and stood up.

“I don’t think so – as long as you keep Dru away from us, then I shall stay”

This shocked Sweet – so Spike had been contemplating leaving………

“Us?” Sweet asked

“Sorry? - Us what?” Spike asked puzzled

“You said keep Dru away from ‘us’”

“That’s right, Buffy and myself, we’re in a relationship together, and it’s going really well”

“Oh good, yes, well right, um – I’ll see that you get the minutes of any meetings and um, I’ll back date your rise from August – well, bye then Spike, and don’t forget – as soon as you have a copy of the new show format, send it to me”

“Will do – bye” the men shook hands and Spike left…all in all, not a bad meeting………not a bad meeting at all!!! He made his way up to the café.

It was Xander who saw Spike first, and warned the others.

“Spike – how’d it go, my friend?” Xander looked a little apprehensive

“Oh, he said he was sorry about Glory”

“Did he – WOW!”

“I got a pay rise – back-dated too”

“Really - You lucky devil!”

“Had the idea for my own TV show approved – just got to send him a copy”

Everybody was grinning by now…

“YOUR OWN TV SHOW! Bloody hell Spike, anything else?

“Um…let me think – oh yes he promised not to tell me how to do my job again”

Xander’s eyes were nearly popping, and Cordy’s and Buffy’s grins were wider than ever!

“Good god, and we were worried that he might fire you!” Xander gasped in incredulity,

“Oh yeah, and I don’t have to go to any more of those damned infernal monthly meetings – so I don’t have to keep storming out!” Buffy put her arms around him and cuddled him up.

“Wow Spike – you got all that – you are so clever!”

“Not really kitten…I’d got my resignation all written up ready, just in case, I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of sacking me!”

“Well – I suppose I’d better get back to see how Cassie’s doing”

“Actually Cordy – when she’s done the cataloguing, I need her to do some research for me, okay?” Spike said, and Cordelia nodded and left with Xander.

Buffy and Spike were still holding each other

“I was worried! – Well a little” Buffy said

“Don’t worry kitten, I got another concession out of him too, but it wasn’t for general consumption – although we can tell Harmony and Xander, he’s promised to keep Dru well away from us – and we won’t be expected at any function while she’s there – isn’t that great!”

“Wow – you DID get everything covered!”

“Um, Buffy – are you ready to do your recording?” they both looked up and saw Ford leaning around the door.

“Just coming – come down with me?” Spike nodded and they left the café holding hands.

“Um, so Kitten, did you find out how Xander get that bruise on his forehead?”

“Oh, you’ll never guess!”…………………………


***********


“Are you going to the restaurant today?” Anya asked

“This evening, yes – I thought we could have a light lunch here, I’ve poached some salmon – we can have fine green beans and new potatoes with it – I’ve made a lite lemon hollandaise sauce too,” Giles said

“Sounds lovely – right, well, I’m going to take my coffee out on the terrace and read the papers – are you going to join me?”

“Soon, there are a few letters I want to catch up on, give me half an hour”

Anya got herself settled on one of the loungers, and began to read. She was pleased, Giles had calmed down a little now, he wasn’t so ‘up-tight’ as he had been of late.

Idly flicking through the pages, Anya read the book reviews, looked at the fashion pages, and was heading for the crossword, when a familiar face caught her eye…page 25, there was a photograph of Jenny Callender, with the headline:
‘Betrayed, by my lover and my best friend’ Anya sat up spluttering with indignance

“Of all the cheap, nasty, low-down, double-crossing………”

“You okay Anya?”

Anya quickly shut up, put a big false grin and hid the newspaper behind her back.

“YES!” Anya said too brightly.

“What is it now?”

“Nothing – Oh…here …you might know who…look” She showed him the article.

“Well…considering I knew YOU first…she never paid for a meal in the restaurant or got herself a hotel while she was in LA, I think she’s got a damnable cheek!” Giles said, handing Anya back the paper.

“Well, so do I – You’re right – she was always staying at my place – I’ve a good mind to-“

“Now Anya, relax…let it wash over you – it’s only words” Giles said serenely.

“Huh? Oh um, yeah…okay…”

Anya was amazed what this new yoga instructor must be doing for Giles … perhaps she ought to try it too!

***********


“Hello, Willy – is that you?”

Resisting the temptation to be sarcastic, Willy just said,

“Yeah...is that you Jon?”

“The heats off, you can come back to work”

“What?”

“I said, the-“

“I heard what you said, how do you know the heats off me?”

“Coz one of those big guys that came in here looking for you before – he told me she ran out on them without paying – so you’re safe”

Willy sat up - his mind began to race………

“Okay Jon…is somebody making you say this, just to lull me into a false sense of security – is this a trap?”

“No, I wouldn’t do that, look I’ve spoken to the boss, he said you can have your old job back, and I want my old job back – I must be $40 a week down at least…”

“Okay – but if this is a trap, just remember, I know where you live, and where you keep your comic books!”

“I’m not trying to trick you! – I just want you to come back so I can get back to being a bus-boy”

“M’kay…I’ll be in for the shift tonight”

“Good, I’ll tell the boss, he’ll be pleased – bye”

“Bye Jon”

************


Buffy slipped the cans off her head and fluffed her hair.

Spike opened the door to the recording room and smiled.

“That was lovely babe – and I’ve had an idea to do a dance re-mix of it too – so ready for a drink?”

“Yup – dance re-mix eh…sounds interesting!”

“Buffy – before you go…” Ford’s voice came over the intercom

The booth door opened and Ford came out holding what looked like two tickets.

“Could you use these? – Two tickets for the Premiere of ‘The Rowan Tree,’ I did the soundtrack – but well, Premiere’s aren’t my thing”

“Oh – that would be great, yeah, thanks Ford…when is it?”

“Thursday – 7pm enjoy have fun!”

“We will, thanks…um, we can go, can’t we Baby?” Buffy asked turning to face Spike

“Sure – looks a good film too – really scary”

“I know…I’ll have to take a cushion to hide behind!”

“No you won’t, you can cuddle up to me!” Both grinning, Buffy put the tickets in her pocket.

“So, you didn’t finish telling me about Glory” Spike said

“Oh yes, well, Cordelia said that Cassie came in first thing on the Saturday morning, she went to her, and told her what you’d said about working in the office and then word has it that Sweet’s arrived, he knew he’d have lots to do as Rack had died.”

“So then Cassie went and told Sweet what Glory had planned…good girl!” Spike said

Buffy nodded and then continued,

“So then Rack orders Glory’s desks to be emptied, and she was to be sent to him as soon as she came into the building – security escorted her up – Cordy was just on her way up to Sweet’s office to take him the viewing figures for the programme you did – and got in the elevator with them. She said Glory looked tired, like she hadn’t slept much, and a little dishevelled – but most of all she looked angry”

“I’ll bet! I bet she was going to go into Sweet’s office, shouting about what I’d done to ruin her show…!”

“And instead she gets fired – Sweet’s got things over her so she couldn’t do anything else but go quietly – if she tries anything, like going to the papers or the like, he’ll sue the pants off her and promised her she’d never work in this country again”

“And I get the slot for my show idea!”

“Yes, clever man – when did you come up with that?” Spike pulled the door to the café open and allowed Buffy to go in first.

“Well actually, it was that Birthday of Sweet’s triggered something in my mind – I knew that it was coming up to 25 years of Noiz being in the business, and then I saw one of the ‘Applejacks’ at Sweet’s party – he must be pushing sixty now, and I thought it would be an idea to do tribute stuff before it all got too late – shouldn’t have to wait until somebody’s dead to say something nice about them!”

“Baby…would you really have resigned?” Spike stopped reaching for a tray and said honestly,

“Well, if I thought for one second he was going to sack me, I’d have thrown it on the desk, sure – I wouldn’t have given him the satisfaction. But right from the off – he was ‘nice’ – if that’s a word I can use to describe Sweet!

“Not one used everyday – you can be sure of that!”

“First thing he said was, ‘I think an apology is in order’ and I thought, oh yeah, well I will, if you will – I was just about to say that too, when bloody hell, he say’s it – ‘I’m sorry for what Glory did’ – you could have knocked me down with a feather! And it just got better from there…pay rise, I don’t have to go to monthly meetings…I thought to myself – go on Spikey old boy – pitch your idea for the show, I did - and bingo…what do you want to drink pet?”

“Tall freshly squeezed anything………will you front the show yourself?”

“Possibly…or I might find some pretty little blonde to do it for me…” Buffy said nothing, she didn’t catch on to what he meant.

“Would you fancy it?” Spike asked, putting their drinks down on one of the low coffee tables.

“ME?”

“Yes you, who did you think I meant?” Spike asked her with a grin.

“I – I don’t – I didn’t think – I mean…I don’t think I could do it!”

“Course you could – I winged it Friday – just came off the top of my head – I’d properly script it for you”

“Yeah but you’ve got it all up here, haven’t you? (Buffy touched her temple) Dates, facts and figures”

“Well, we’ll see, I won’t force you – I’ve got to complete your tour dates yet, haven’t I?”

“Yeah – oh is that me?” Buffy had heard a little ‘beep’ noise.

Spike took out his cell phone out of his pocket

“Must be pet, it’s not me”

“Oh, it’s Willow – oh god, I’ve been neglecting her…”

************


“……….Take off when ever you choose, without so much as a bye-your-leave – because I won’t stand it, do you hear me Willy – you are very, VERY lucky to have a job here at all – disappear again, and so will this job, for GOOD next time – do you understand?”

“Yes Boss…I’ve been ill”

“So you say…there’s been a few dodgy characters around here looking for you, so security have informed me”

“Oh, um really?” Willy feigned innocence, but didn’t look his boss in the face.

“Get back to where you belong behind that bar…and I don’t know what he’s been doing behind that bar, but although the figures are okay – we’ve been getting through copious amounts of Scotch and Vodka, for some reason…”

“I will boss”

“And Willy”

“Boss?”

“Mix me a decent vodka martini, would you? – It’s been ages” Willy smiled and said,

“Yes, boss!”

Seemed that Jon hadn’t caught onto using the schnapps to make the cocktails, and had been using the real stuff, proper vodka and scotch – that’s why he’d been getting through it…well – he was back - Willy was back in business!

********



Thursday

“Part-timers!” Cordelia said grinning, as Buffy and Spike prepared to leave the office.

“Don’t be cheeky you, anyway, we’re going to the Premiere tonight we want to get home and get ready in plenty of time, don’t we babe!”


“Yup!” Buffy said with a grin.


“Just kidding, I’ll be off myself soon – I tell you Spike, this Cassie is a little god-send – I’m getting home at a decent time, and I don’t feel half so tired now!”

“I know – she’s amazing, all the research she’s done for those programmes I’m going to do!”

“Well, have fun – and Buffy – take a cushion – I hear it’s REALLY scary!”

“I said that, about the cushion! – I went with my friend to see Nightmare on Elm Street years ago – I don’t think I slept for a month afterwards!”

“Well, this is both gory and psychologically scary – so be warned!”

“Thanks, bye!”


As Buffy and Spike walked out of the Aphrodite building the humid oppressive heat hit them.

“Looks like we are going to have a storm – would you look at that sky – it’s black!”

“I hope it holds off until we are inside at the Premiere!” Buffy said. In the distance they could hear the low rumble of thunder.

“They usually put up a covered walkway if things look dodgy weather-wise”

Spike unlocked the car and they drove to his place.

Two hours later they were ready to go, Buffy slipping on her new Manolo’s she’d bought back in New York – this was the first opportunity she’d had to wear them.

“Will I do?”

“You look gorgeous…hmm, what’s that perfume you’re wearing?”

“Yves St Laurent, I thought I’d continue the theme as I’m wearing one of his dresses”

There was a loud rumble of thunder, and they both looked outside.

“Winds getting up – come on then Kitten – let’s get there before this storm starts”


They made it to the venue, and Buffy stepped out of the car, it had just started to spit with rain.

The camera bulbs flashed and she smiled and waved to various people who called her name. She made sure she held Spike’s hand and they went inside.

***

When they came out, there was a tropical monsoon pouring! Spike’s car was bought round, and Buffy stepped off the covered walkway straight into the car.
Spike drove home carefully – the roads were practically flooded – the drains barely coping with such torrents of water.

************


Dru was like a cat on hot bricks. She knew where Daddy kept his stash; she needed a little coke for tonight – to give her a little confidence and to numb any pain…

She closed the door silently and crept across the hallway, having got enough ‘stuff’ for her needs.

She could hear Cecily and Lorne talking in the bedroom opposite, Lorne’s voice getting louder as he came closer to the door.

“……………He’ll be here at 3.30pm, so make sure you’re ready – I’ve put your favourite pyjama’s in the overnight bag, along with a few toiletries – they said they’d ring me in the morning to fetch you – and don’t worry, he said the camera is a lot smaller this time, it shouldn’t hurt your throat – well I must go kitten – Daddy’s gone to Florida and I’ve got a million things to do – I’ll see you later baby – remember – NOTHING to eat at all, okay?”

“’Kay Lorne, I promise…is Dru around?”

Dru quickly dashed to the stairs like she’d just come up them, and Lorne opened the bedroom door fully.

“Oh, here she is, you okay sweetie-cakes?”

“Yes, is Ceccy awake then now?” Dru asked, pretending she didn’t know

“Awake and asking for you – I’ll leave you to it”

Dru went into the bedroom. Cecily was propped up in bed.

“Hello…how are you feeling?” Dru asked sitting on the bed.

“Fine, a lot better – I’ll be better still this time tomorrow when I’m back home here…you do remember I’ve got to go back to the clinic this afternoon, stay overnight”

“Yes, you said”

“The camera will be smaller this time, thank god – boy was my throat sore the last time” Cecily continued, and Dru just nodded.

“You okay pet? - You seem a little…far away. Have you taken your medicine?”

Dru nodded and said ‘yes’.

She was trying not to be too excited about tonight – she’d be able to put her plan into action………

Several times in the week, Dru had nearly cracked and shown Cecily her photo of Buffy from the paper, the photo of Buffy and her REAL boyfriend coming out of Scandals nightclub…but, well, Cecily had become like Lorne and Daddy, if she spoke about Spike, well they ALL seemed to get cross with her – telling her lies, telling her to forget him…so this time she said nothing. She’d be able to tell them ‘told you so’ when Spike was back in his rightful place, with her, by her side………

Cecily left for the clinic.

After a light supper, (Dru had told Lorne she didn’t want dinner) they sat down to watch TV. Having had a busy day, Dru was hoping that Lorne would do as he usually did, and that was fall asleep. She’d turned the volume down a little, and chose a documentary to watch rather than a comedy; sometimes she noticed the canned laughter woke him up.

She tried not to show she was nervous…but she was just itching to get out, and kept a beady eye on the time.

By 8.40pm Lorne’s chin was on his chest, and he’d begun to snore softly. Very slowly and carefully, Dru got up off the sofa and went upstairs to get ready.
After carefully arranging pillows and one of Cecily’s wigs in her bed to make it look like she was asleep, Dru crept downstairs and after checking the alarms weren’t set, she selected a set of car keys, and left quickly and quietly via the front door.

Making her way quickly to the garages, she got into the battered old Mini that was used by the staff in the grounds of the house, and she drove carefully down to the gates. The Automatic sensor activated and the gates opened, and she drove out – she was free!

Pulling up in one of the more ‘rattier’ ends of town, she got out and walked down an alleyway…………

She had to be careful; she didn’t want too many hobos around…perfect, one on his own. She saw one with a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag, swigging.

“Give me that” Dru said, snatching the bottle off him.
Hardly in a fit state, the vagrant staggered to his feet.

“You want it back…come and get it…” Dru waggled the bottle enticingly. The evening was humid and the air thick, in the distance she heard a rumble of thunder…

Trying to resist the stench, when the filthy man got close enough she said

“Hit me”

“Wha – gimme back my bottle – I’ll fuckin’ kill ya”

“If you want this back…I said, hit me!” Dru poured a drop of his precious booze on the ground, and the hobo went for her, punching her in the face. Her head snapped back and she laughed.

“Again!” He sideswiped with a right hook, and again she laughed! The vagrant tried to get his bottle back, but this crazy woman wanted him to hit her…so he did, hard this time – and Dru staggered, still grinning maniacally, she tasted the coppery saltiness of blood in her mouth, dropped the bottle and ran back to her car. It had started to spit with rain.


She locked herself in, and with shaky fingers, she angled the driving mirror to check her face. She had a black eye starting, a bloody nose and a split lip…fumbling; she took out the snort of coke, and took it. The pain of her injuries swiftly melted away, and she felt a confidence surge through her. Smiling to herself, she started the car engine - now for the main plan…………

**********
Chapter 40 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 40


So Poppet, what do you want to do – shall we ask Spike and Buffy over for a pizza and a DVD tonight?” Xander asked, spreading marmalade on his breakfast toast.

“They’re going out tonight, to the Premiere of that film…I forget what it’s called, the scary one…a couple move into a house, and dig up an old tree to make way for a swimming pool or something – anyway, then their problems start – Ford did the soundtrack for it – he offered me tickets too – but I said no, I’d have nightmares!”

“Oh…The Rowan Tree, well how about we order pizza and-“

“Nuh-uh, not pizza – I think you’re right about a wheat or dairy allergy for me – we could order in a Chinese and then have an early night…”

Harmony had been keeping Xander at ‘arms length’ as regards sex, because of the pregnancy test scare – and to be fair, he hadn’t moaned because, well – she’d not totally neglected him…so tonight she thought it was about time he got his ‘reward’ for being a kind and patient boyfriend………

Xander’s brow shot up and he grinned,

“Yeah? – Oh, great!”

**********



Spike slowly pulled up outside his house, the windshield wipers going double speed to try and clear the torrents of rain. Buffy looked out of the window and frowned at the great expanse of sidewalk, and path she had to run down.

“Oh god!”

“What’s the matter, kitten?”

“My Manolo’s, they’ll be ruined” Buffy frowned

“No they won’t…” Spike got out of the car, ran round, opened the door her side and scooped her up, fire-fighter style. Buffy squealed and giggled as Spike ran with her over the sidewalk and down the path, the rain still coming down in absolute torrents!

In the covered porch, Buffy slid down from his shoulder and Spike felt in his pants pocket for his house keys. Buffy was still giggling and they began to kiss.

“Hmm…lets…get inside and………hmm mmm…out of this rain!”

Finding his keys, Spike opened up and they went inside

“Phew! WHAT a night – that wasn’t any old rainstorm, that was a tropical monsoon……… oh…god were soaked”

“My back is soaking – and you too…”

“I’ll go get us some towels, you need to get out of those wet things babe, you mustn’t catch a chill, you need your voice to be strong”

Buffy nodded and was just going to ask Spike to undo her dress when there was a loud thump from upstairs.

Buffy and Spike looked up at the ceiling, and then at each other, Spike frowned

“What was that?”

“Cat maybe?” Buffy suggested

“What? - No. Zachary died yeas ago, here – take my mobile…get ready to call 911”

Spike went over to his award cabinet, opened the one door and selected a trophy, tested it’s weight against his left hand, and then put it back, selecting a bigger one with a heavy marble base, he wielded it, satisfied it would have the desired affect of knocking whoever out in case there was a burglar upstairs.

“Baby, be careful – let me come up with you” Buffy said

“You stay well away Kitten, I don’t want anything happening to you…” Spike then went to the stairs, keeping his back close to the wall creeping up slowly, holding the award like a club.

He could see a strange light coming form his bedroom, low down on the floor. He got to the top of the stairs and heard Buffy whisper,

“Be careful, babe” she had started to creep up too.

Spike swallowed and nodded, he’d got to the landing and pushed his bedroom door open with his foot. He could see the bedside lamp was on, lying on the floor on its side.

Frowning, Spike quickly dashed into the room, putting on the main light, raising the trophy above his head and shouted menacingly,

“ALRIGHT YOU BASTARD, WHAT DO YOU THINK…Oh my god…!”

“Spike…Spike, what is it, are you okay? Spike, shall I call the police?” Buffy called, quickly trotting up the rest of the stairs.

“Um, no…no erm…there’s…………oh god!” Buffy stood in the doorway

Lying on the bed, face down was a girl in a long burgundy and black velvet coat.

“Oh f’fucks sake! I KNEW it was too bloody good to be true! Not even one week – not ONE fucking solitary week of not being bothered by you and your fucking mad antics! What the HELL are YOU doing here?” Spike demanded going over and pulling the girl up roughly by the shoulder. He put the award down on the nightstand.

His eyes went wide with shock as the girl turned her bloodied and bruised face to him. She had a black eye, a split lip and a bloody nose. Mascara had run down her cheeks to add to the horror.

“Daddy…Daddy g-got a…got…h-h-he…g-got a l-l-l-little r-rough with m-m-m-me!” Dru turned her head away back into the pillows and began to sob.


Buffy folded her arms and leant against the doorjamb.

“How the HELL did you get in?” Spike asked he turned away from her and ran a hand through his hair, sighing in desperation. Buffy walked to the side of the bed and picked up Dru’s open purse, and a key that was also on the floor.

“With this, I reckon”

“Bloody hell…I didn’t think to change the locks…you kept a key after all this time?”

“Does she need an ambulance, do you think?”

Spike scoffed.

“I’m not having an ambulance come HERE and taking HER away in that state, not from here, no way – I’m NO WAY taking the blame for, for this!”

Buffy sat on the bed and touched Dru’s shoulder. Dru turned her head and when she saw it was Buffy, she shied away huddled down into the pillows even more.

“Come on, let me look at your injuries, I won’t hurt you!” Buffy said kindly

Spike took his mobile from Buffy and pressed a number

“No, leave me alone!” Buffy could just make out what Dru mumbled into the pillows

“Don’t be silly, I only want to-“ Buffy put her hand gently on Dru’s shoulder, but she reared up and yelled,

“DON’T TOUCH ME, DON’T YOU DARE TOUCH ME! – YOU SHOULDN’T BE HERE!”

Buffy stood up

“Geez…I only wanted to help!”

“Damn…bloody Ansa-phone………oh, I know” Spike ended the one call and pressed another number, Buffy heard it ring, and then somebody answered.

“Xand – it’s me, look mate, I’m sorry to ask, but it’s an emergency…” Spike walked out of the bedroom and continued the conversation in the hall.

“Why did you come here?”

Buffy asked Dru, who was now lying on her back, staring at the ceiling, unblinking. It gave Buffy the Wiggins just looking at her.

Dru didn’t answer. Buffy heaved a sigh, and went over to the bed and said,

“Look, I’m sorry that you’ve been beaten up and all that, but you’ve got to realise that Spike is nothing to do with you anymore, you finished a long time ago. He’s with me now, and the sooner you – okay, ow…let go…OW!”

Spike came dashing back into the bedroom to see Dru holding Buffy by a fistful of hair, Buffy was holding Dru’s wrists to try and stop her pulling it out by the roots. He immediately came over and holding onto Dru’s wrist tightly, he said

“LET GO.” Buffy then said,

“I won’t hit you because you’ve been beaten up enough already, but you better let go now – DRU, I SAID NOW!” Buffy tried to prise Dru’s fingers from her hair.

“Let go…DRU, I SAID, LET – there, you okay kitten?”

Spike cuddled up Buffy, who quickly shoved Spike aside, diving out of the way herself as Dru angrily grabbed up the statuette, and bought it down slicing through the air where they had been just standing.

She looked totally mad, her eyes wild and staring, she was screaming.

“HE’S NOT YOURS - You can’t have him, he’s MINE! MINE! Spike belongs to me!”

Spike quickly grabbed Buffy by the arm, and pulled her out of the bedroom and slamming the door shut, holding onto the handle tightly so Dru couldn’t turn it from the other side.

“She’s a TOTAL LUNATIC! She could have got in and murdered us both in bed!” Buffy shouted angrily.

“I know, babe, what can I say…I’m so sorry, I just never – shit! Sweet PROMISED me that he’d keep her away from us…” Dru had managed to open the door slightly, until Spike renewed his efforts and pulled it shut again.

“I just never gave it a thought, about changing the locks…I never thought for one minute she’d kept a key – or that she would ever come here again” Spike looked worried and sad, and Buffy went up and cuddled his head to her.

“Shush…I know love…I’m not blaming you…but you MUST get the locks changed now”


“I – I will – Jesus! For someone so skinny she’s bloody strong!” Dru was going mental the other side of the door, screaming how Spike belonged to her, and Buffy wasn’t his girlfriend she’s also begun to hit it the door with the statuette that Spike had taken up to threaten the ‘intruder’ originally.

“On second thoughts…dial 911” Spike said

“Are you sure?” Buffy took his phone and Spike held onto the door handle with both hands.

“Yeah, if they know about this, well it’ll help – I’ve got to take desperate measures to make her understand that she can’t – oh!”

The mobile had started to ring, Buffy handed it back to Spike, who answered

“Lorne, thank god it’s you…bloody hell – WILL YOU BE QUIET DRU!”

Spike yelled, and Dru’s lunatic screaming and banging stopped for a few moments, Spike continued,

“Yes, you did hear right, Dru’s very much here, at my house, she’s gone berserk. She broke in…well, no, that’s not strictly true, she used a key and was waiting upstairs on my bed … Lorne …she’s been beaten up…she said Daddy got a bit rough with her………it looks quite bad, yes……………well, a black eye, split lip, bloody nose………………no, I haven’t called them yet, I was just about to though…………………Xander’s coming over…………you don’t want me call the…no? - But why not?………(he heaved a sigh, and looked at Buffy) okay, but, well…I’ve GOT to do something to make her see that she no longer has anything to do with me…yeah, I will” he ended the call.

“Well?” Buffy asked

“He asked me not to call the police…the bad publicity, you know” Buffy rolled her eyes and turned away from him angrily, and then she turned and faced him, waving her arm in the air towards the bedroom door.

“So Little Miss Looney-Tunes gets away with it – terrific! – Spike, she could have killed us both, or at least killed me!”

“I don’t think-“ Spike began

“Look, Spike, she wants you back, pure and simple, and as far as she’s concerned, the only fly in the ointment as regards that, is me – and she isn’t about to listen to reason………a…a-a-a-a – ATISHOO! – Shit! NOW I’ve caught a chill!”

“Baby, get out of those wet things and-“

“No Spike…I’m going home…I’ll………I’ll see you tomorrow………maybe.”

“Buffy! BUFFY! Please, come back! I daren’t let go of this handle, else she’ll be out and – Buffy…please love…BUFFY!”

Buffy ran downstairs, opened the front door to see Xander running down the path with his jacket over his head. The rain had slowed a little, but not much, it was still bucketing it down.

“Buffy! Everything okay?”

“No. Just after he rang you, well…Lorne phoned him back. Spike had phoned Sweet’s mansion before he phoned you, but got the Ansa-phone…Dru’s been beaten up by Sweet apparently, or so she says, when we came in, she was upstairs on his bed waiting for him. What she hadn’t reckoned on though, was me”


“BUFFY…PLEASE BABE! I’M, I’m begging you, please don’t go” Spike shouted

Buffy sighed and closed the front door, throwing her purse on the chair. Xander had run up the stairs three at a time.

“Oh thank god you’re here Xand…she’s flipped this time, ‘cept now I’ve got her trapped in my bedroom, but don’t go in there for Christ’s sake, she’s got a deadly weapon” Spike said in a pained voice, and then he continued,

“Be a mate, and keep a tight hold on this handle for me please, I MUST go see Buffy”

“Deadly weapon? What sort of – Great Merciful Zeus…………what have I got myself into now…hurry back Spike…”

Xander nodded and took hold of the handle, Spike raced down the stairs, and to his relief he saw Buffy sitting on the sofa wrapped up in his towelling robe.
He quickly went over to her and sat next to her and pulled her close.

“Kitten…I’m so sorry! – Please tell me you forgive me” Buffy looked at the puppy-dog eyes and she instantly forgot her annoyance.

“Come here…of course, I’m sorry too, there’s nothing to forgive. I know none of this is your fault…” Buffy held him close for a moment, then leaned out of the embrace to look at Spike while he said,

“Only, well, you see, the other night, at Sweet’s party, well Lorne bailed me out a couple of times at least to my knowledge dragging her away from me and that, and he asked me as a special favour not to call the police. But I’ll say that if there’s one more thing she does, then bang – that’s it, I’m calling 911, sod the publicity – I’ll have her done for stalking me – Sweet promised me he’s keep her away from us………”

“Spike…Spike…she seems quiet enough now…can I come down – what’s this weapon she’s got?” Xander called. Spike looked back at Buffy and asked,

“Will you be okay babe, I won’t go into the room, I PROMISE, Lorne should be here any minute now” Spike said to Buffy, who smiled

“I trust YOU babe, it’s HER I don’t trust!” Buffy cupped his cheek, leaned forward and kissed him softly.

“Spike…SPIKE - can I come down now –“ Xander called again, Spike interrupted him and said,

“’S’ok Xand, I’m coming up, just don’t let go until I – oh, hang on”

The doorbell rang, and Spike veered off from walking to the stairs to answer it.

“Quick Lorne, come in…filthy night!”

Lorne came inside, delicately closed his umbrella and said,

“I’m SO sorry about this Spike…I didn’t know she was out -.” Spike lead the tall guy up the stairs, to where Xander was leaning back holding the door handle with both hands as Dru had started to try and pull it open again, screaming her head off.

“Good, is it safe for me to let go now? – And what was this bloody dangerous deadly weapon she’s got?” Xander asked, with more than a touch of anxiety.

Even Lorne quirked an eyebrow at Spike, who said

“My TMM. Top Music Manager, 2001. It’s got a heavy marble base see, and I thought that, well, it might have been a deterrent you know, before we found out who it was…

“Well, she SEEMS quiet enough, maybe I won’t HAVE to use this now”
Lorne went to re-pocket the syringe full of Valium. But Spike said,

“Actually Lorne, I’d give it to her anyway, she’s quiet now, but when she learns that I want nothing whatsoever to do with her, she might freak out again on you – you might be driving, she’s totally unstable, if you ask me, she needs locking up – for her own safety, let alone anybody else’s”

Lorne thought about what Spike had said, and agreed. She HAD pulled a stunt like that on him a few years back, suddenly pulling on the steering wheel, trying to force them to crash into a bridge support.


Xander slowly pushed the door open; all three men stood back, and then peered in to see Dru lying on the bed again.

“Okay, shall we see if…oh look, she’s asleep – thank god!” Xander breathed a sigh of relief and opened the door fully. Lorne strode in and leaned over her saying,

“Come on honey…let’s get you home, hmm?” Pushing the coat sleeve up her thin arm, Lorne located the vein and inserted the needle, depressing the plunger slowly.

“Hmm, Sp-Spike!” Dru threw her other arm around Lorne’s neck.

“No Dru, it’s not Spike, it’s me. I’ve come to take you back home” He removed the needle, rubbed her arm and pulled down the coat sleeve.

“Um, is that wise, do you think – don’t you think that Sweet might be even more angry with her now…what are you going to say to him, about her whereabouts” Xander asked

Well, there’s one thing I can tell you for sure.” Lorne said

“What’s that?” Xander asked

“Daddy didn’t do this to her” Lorne stated, indicating Dru’s facial injuries

“No? Are you sure, I know he can be a sick bas-“

“Definitely sure, he’s having dinner with his accountant – on his boat. He flew out to the Florida Keys this morning. He hasn’t seen Dru since breakfast. These wounds are a couple of hours old at most – and I haven’t a clue how she got them – or even who did it to her – she was with me watching TV, I must have fallen asleep”

“So she’s a lying little bitch on top of everything else too…” Spike said. Dru stirred in Lorne’s arms, and she mumbled

“You promised…promised you wouldn’t leave me”

Spike felt nothing. He’d been through this sort of scenario with her dozens of times before. One time, a long time ago, those words were like twisting a knife in his gut, but now he had had every last trace of remorse and sympathy wrung from him years ago.

Of course, last time it culminated in Dru threatening to throw herself off the roof if he didn’t promise to take her back, until trained negotiators talked her down. But this time……… this time it was different, he was with somebody, he had Buffy to think about as well.

“Get her sorted out Lorne. I mean it, she needs to be taken a long, LONG way from here, because if she pulls a stunt like this or anything like it to try and get me back – or if she goes anywhere near Buffy – well, put it this way, I won’t be held responsible for my actions – I’m letting her off this time as a favour to you – but if anything happens again, I mean ANYTHING, a silent phone call, a note on my windshield – I’ll have her done for stalking – I MEAN IT”

Lorne nodded, thanked him and left, Dru lolled groggily in Lorne’s arms as he carried her down the path in the pouring rain to his car.

“Thanks for coming Xander…I didn’t want to call an ambulance from here, I thought that Lorne was out as I got the Ansa-phone. I didn’t interrupt anything, well you know, between you and Harmony, did I?”

“It’s okay mate, Harm understood. When I told her what you said, she said to get over here quick…”

“Xander…Xander” Buffy called

“Yes Buffy?”

“It’s Harmony on the phone, she wants to know how long you’ll be?”

“Tell her I’m on my way back now, will you please – well Spike, I better be off”

“Yeah, and thanks again my friend, I appreciate you coming over so quickly” The two friends exchanged a back-slapping hug

“You know, you’re REALLY going to have to sort something out, it’s getting beyond a joke”

“Yes, I know, I’ve got some long hard thinking to do – Night Xand”

“Night Spike – Night Buffy!” Buffy waved from the sofa, still talking on the phone to Harmony.

“………Yes, he’s just left…okay then, I better go, I want a nice hot bath before I go to bed…really – oh sorry…well yes. Good night then Harmony see you tomorrow”

Spike came over to Buffy after locking up.

“You okay Kitten?”

Buffy nodded and said,

“I’d love a nice hot soak…with you?” Buffy looked wide-eyed at him and he smiled

“Sounds like a plan…come on then kitten, lets go up, we’re all locked in safe and secure, and first thing in the morning, I’m onto the locksmiths – and I want the whole place burglar alarmed too” Spike turned off the lamp and followed Buffy upstairs.

**********

“There, there………ooh…is that an ouchie cup-cake…how did you do this anyway?” Lorne winced himself as he gently sponged Dru’s face with warm soapy water with a touch of antiseptic in it. He carefully patted her battered face dry while Dru sat there impassively, staring dead-eyed into space.

“What were you doing over at Spike’s place anyway, hmm? – Honey, this thing you’ve got about him…it’s REALLY got to stop. He’s got somebody else now, we keep telling you” The Valium had kicked in, along with her medication, plus the coke she’d done earlier, making Dru totally Zombified, but the tears fell unchecked down her face.

“Oh sweet-cheeks…don’t cry…come on honey…there, there, don’t cry my sweet, I’m here, I’ll look after you” Dru allowed herself to be gently pulled into Lorne’s arms, and she lay against him feeling totally numb.

**********


“I’m sorry Daddy, I don’t know how she got out. We had a light supper, watched TV – I must have fallen asleep – next thing I know, it’s 10.45, and I wake to the sound of the Ansa-phone – a garbled message from Spike, saying Dru’s at his house and has gone berserk………………………of course I went and fetched her – the thing is……………well, I don’t know why or how but she told Spike that it was YOU that had beaten her up………………………………split lip, black eye, bloody nose, she’d taken quite a beating……………no, not a chance of it being Spike, because he and Buffy had been out together they got back and found Dru waiting in his bedroom…………no he didn’t contact them, as a favour to me, but I know he won’t stand anymore…………yes, Daddy………………yes, Daddy ………due home any time now………okay then, yes, we’ll see you later then, bye”

Lorne put the phone down, and turned to see Dru looking daggers at him.

“And what’s that look for – I might tell you Dru – Daddy’s very cross with you – he said that – Dru………what………what’s that you’re hiding – Dru, WHAT have you got behind your back?”

Lorne felt suddenly nervous, there was a totally evil look in her eyes that he’d never seen before -

Dru said nothing, but suddenly just flew at Lorne, who saw the glint of the knife as the blade swished through the air and came down hard, jarring against bone the swiftness of the attack surprised him as he sank to his knees, a tremendous pain wracked through his body – he tried to draw breath, but he just made a slight gargling rasp, his mouth filled with blood and everything went black……………………………
The last thing he saw was the crazy look she had in her eyes – the Dru he knew and loved wasn’t there. She stood back, watching him slump to the floor, then she turned and ran out of the house.

“WHAT THE – BLOODY HELL FIRE!” The Chauffer just managed to swerve to the right, as the erratically driven Mini slewed across the lawns and careered on down towards the gates.

“What is it, who, what was that?” Cecily sat up straight on the back seat of the car, twisting around to see the Mini narrowly miss crashing into the slowly opening automated gates.

“Some crazy idiot – who’d be driving like that in the grounds…look at the state of the lawn – unless………oh goodness, can you ear that – the alarms are going – I wonder if it was a burglar?”

“Quick – lets go see!”

The driver pulled up and Cecily got out quickly – she was just about to enter the house, she was ¾ of the way up to the steps, when she heard a loud scream, and saw the old cook dashing out of the sitting room.

“Mrs Gould…what is it?” The poor old dear, near to passing out with shock leant against the wall, she couldn’t speak, she just pointed with a very shaky hand into the room. There, lying face down in a pool of blood, was Lorne, he had a knife sticking out of his back.

“LORNE – OH MY GOD – “

“What, what is OH GOOD GOD!” The driver skidded to a halt in the doorway, not seeing Lorne until Cecily stood up

“PHONE AN AMBULANCE, QUICK!” Cecily screamed to the driver, who trying his best not to fumble, dialled 911.

“Lorne…OH GOD…LORNE…WHO DID THIS?” Cecily let out a sob………

********
Chapter 41 - And Epilogue by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 41



Ten minutes, but what seemed a lifetime later………………


“Will he be okay?” Cecily was shaking like a leaf

“We’ll do our best Miss, it was lucky he fell forward, he would have choked, else”

The two para-medics worked on Lorne, controlling the bleeding, checking his heart and then giving him oxygen.

It was only then Cecily remembered Dru.

The police drew up and several officers came running in.

With the police running all over the house looking for Dru, the ambulance left taking Lorne, who was just about hanging onto life.

“Er, miss…would you come upstairs for a minute please?”

Cecily’s blood ran cold, and she said shakily

“Oh god….oh no, please don’t tell me she’s…”

“We haven’t found her miss, we just need you to explain something to us, if you can”

Shakily, Cecily went upstairs, and the detective moved out of the doorway. Dru’s dressing table had been turned into a ‘shrine’ to Spike.

Photos all over, an old baseball cap, tapes, notes, concert tickets, and Dru had written his and her name on pieces of paper, and covered them with love-hearts and arrows, ‘true love’ and ‘together always’. Most chilling of all, was a photo of Buffy, torn out of a magazine, Dru had drawn blood-dripping daggers and the word ‘death’ all over it. Cecily swayed, she felt sick and dizzy

“Do you know who these people are – this lady especially?” The cop indicated Buffy’s picture.

“Y-Yes, yes I do, that’s Spike, Spike Carling, and that’s his girlfriend, the singer Buffy – I don’t know her last name…Spike used to be with Dru, but it ended years ago…oh god, I thought she was getting better!”

“Better?”

“She’s had, has problems, mental problems, but she doesn’t always take her medicine…” Two detectives spoke, and the one left,

“Have you any idea where these people live, or how we can contact them?”

Cecily’s head swam…

“Erm, Aphrodite…the music studios – they’ll tell you – “

Cecily was led out of the room, when the sudden truth hit her like a ton of bricks…

“Do you…oh god, no…do you think it was Dru who stabbed………oh god………no, please no……NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Cecily collapsed on the floor, sobbing.

The call came through to Cordelia, who’s eyes nearly popped when the police told her what had happened.

**********


Buffy turned over and faced Spike, who was lying on his back, still asleep.

Smiling, she got a tendril of her hair, and tickled his nose with it. Spike’s nose twitched, and he shifted his head. She did it again, and this time Spike rubbed his nose with the back of his hand.

After a few seconds, she did it again and without warning, Spike quickly grabbed her shouting, ‘GOTCHA!’ - Making Buffy jump and squeal, then collapse into a fit of giggles.

“Little minx! Come here you!” Spike began to tickle her, until Buffy croaked a surrender, exhausted and breathless.

“Your throat sore, Kitten?”

“A bit”

“Poor baby…still, we don’t have to get up yet, we can – oh…shut up and go away – I’m not answering you!” Spike said to his mobile phone, switching off the incessant ringing.

“That might have been important!” Buffy croaked

“What’s so important that can’t wait a couple of hours?”

The landline phone began to ring, and Spike rolled his eyes.

“Aren’t you going to answer that either?”

“The ansaphone will pick it up”

“If you remember to rewind and set it again, that is!”

Still ignoring the ringing phone, Spike leant over Buffy.

“I’ve got FAR MORE important things to do”

Buffy giggled and they began to kiss. Without breaking the embrace, Spike lay down beside her and went to cup her breast, instead he turned angrily and snatched up the phone and barked,

“This BETTER be bloody good! – Now, WHAT the HELL is SO important?”

Buffy watched Spike’s face go from one of anger to pale and wide-eyed shock.

“Wha-what? – She’s WHAT – oh my god, when was – “ suddenly, outside their bedroom window, they heard a revved engine, and a squeal of brakes then the house practically shook and the sound of breaking glass as something smashed into the glass louver doors that led from the lounge to the patio.

Buffy sat up in shock, and Spike said

“WHAT THE HELL WAS…OH MY GOD!”

“Oh Christ – it sounds as if she’s just got here – Quick, Buffy, lock the door!”

“What, Spike what is it, what was that?”

“LOCK THE DOOR!”

“OKAY, okay, I’m locking it, there – what’s going on?” In the distance, wailing sirens could be heard.

“This is the police, (Spike pointed to the phone) Dru’s stabbed Lorne and they think she’s on her way over here…they’ve found a shrine to me in her bedroom…
they think…well, from the look of things, they think she was on her way to harm you”
Spike picked up the phone again and said,

“Yes, I’m here………well there’s a mini sticking out of my lounge, it’s smashed through the glass doors…yes okay thanks” he threw the phone down, and went over to the wardrobe

“Help me babe, just in case!” Together they shifted the piece of furniture and slid it across the doorway

Spike then went and opened the window and looked out onto the scene of carnage below.

Buffy still hadn’t said a word, she sat numb with shock on the bed. The police sirens got louder and louder, Spike could see two squad cars at the back, and could hear more around the front.

He saw two officers get out of each car and run towards the house, drawing their guns as they did so. Spike ducked back inside and turned to look at Buffy.

“Hey…come on pet, police are here now” He put his arm around her and she rested her head against his neck, tears streaming down her face.


Meanwhile, downstairs Dru was slumped over the steering wheel, having banged her head against it knocking herself out.

There was lots of smoke and dust, pieces of glass, plaster and window frame falling about. The four cops, all with their guns trained on her advanced slowly towards the car.

“Okay ma’am…put your hands where we can see them” the one cop said

“I think she’s out cold, Lipinski…let me try the door………it’s no good…it’s buckled in the crash – it won’t open” Another cop went to the drivers door and yanked it open, Dru’s body slowly sagged out sideways – it was only then they saw the knives she had on the passenger seat.

There was much shouting and consternation as to what to do, one cop wanted to leave her there, another two wanted her dragged out – with sirens blaring and then they heard a helicopter overhead . Spike could hear a rapid beeping, then realised it was the phone, and put it back on the hook.
It immediately rang, and the detective told them that they must leave the bedroom, as the house could be in danger of collapsing, as the structure under the bedroom window had been broken.

“Come on Kitten, let’s go” hastily pulling on jeans and tee shirts, They pushed the wardrobe out of the way, and went downstairs. A paramedic immediately put a blanket around Buffy’s shoulders.

“I’m okay…really…what’s happening, Spike – do you know?”

“Would you both like to come with us please” They followed the paramedic out just in time to see Dru being loaded into another ambulance. Neighbours had come out to look, and then Spike saw Xander driving up the road.

He parked up and Harmony flew out of the car to her friend – Buffy covered her mouth and started to sob uncontrollably, a paramedic and Harmony led her to the ambulance – the shock had suddenly hit her.

“Spike – my god, what happened?” Xander came bounding over to his friend

“You tell me…one minute we’re asleep, then the next – all hell’s breaking loose – where’d Buffy go?”

They both walked over to the ambulance.

Buffy declined to go to hospital, she said she just wanted to be with her friends and Spike, of course.

“Mr Carling?”

“Yes?”

“I’m detective Alvarez, I take it you know this woman who crashed into your house?”

Spike sighed and said,

“Yes, it’s a long story………”

**********


Six Hours later


Sweet hated hospitals. He hated the smell and everything else about them – they scared him to death. Cecily was shaking so much she couldn’t walk, she said she’d wait for him in reception.

“Can I see him – please”

“And you are?”

“Cornelius Sweetly – I’m his next of kin”

The duty nurse spoke on the phone for a few seconds, then ended the call.

“I’ve informed Dr Wright that you are here, you can see him for a few minutes”

Sweet, who was all choked up nodded

“Ah, Mr Sweetly, come this way, please” Sweet was led down a corridor by a doctor wearing a white coat, he stopped outside the Intensive Care Unit and gave him a mask to put on, saying that because Lorne had a lung injury, the last thing he needed was an infection.

Sweet swallowed hard and looked at Lorne all hooked up to various machines and monitors, he had an oxygen tube and mask taped to his mouth, a drip in his arm, and heart monitor pads on his chest.

“We managed to arrest the bleeding, and re-inflate the lung, but it was a very close call, he’s a very lucky man to be alive, literally a minute or so longer and he could have bled to death – that and the fact that he slumped forward – if he’d fallen backwards – well, no doubt. He’d have choked”

Sweet nodded dumbly and the doctor left saying he’d give them a few moments alone.

Sweet shuffled up to Lorne and hesitantly reached for his hand. His own fingers cold, but Lorne felt warm. The monitor gave off a regular little beep, and the ventilator made a ‘huffing’ sound as it collapsed and then re-inflated helping Lorne to breathe.

“Oh god Lorne…please don’t leave me” Silent tears dripped unchecked down Sweet’s face…and he wondered what on earth had possessed such a once sweet girl like Dru to do such a thing as to hurt Lorne, his lovely gentle giant.

Dru had been taken to the same hospital, but Sweet didn’t want to see her – When he got back to reception, Cecily wasn’t there.

“She won’t be long, she said she just wanted to see somebody” The nurse informed him, so nodding, Sweetly sat down and waited.

When Cecily went to the private room, there was a policeman outside, and a nurse took her in.

Dru was lying in bed, she had black eyes and stitches in her forehead.

“When’s Lorne coming to bring me home?” Dru asked innocently, and Cecily saw red -

“Wha-what – Dru – DON’T YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU’VE DONE?” Cecily shouted angrily – The nurse said,

“I’m sorry miss, you must leave – I” the cop looked in and opened the door

“This way please miss, the patient mustn’t be agitated in any way”

“Ceccy – tell Daddy to get Lorne!” Dru called

Cecily broke away from the nurse and dived back into the room

“Fucking mad BITCH – you tried to kill him – you nearly KILL- GET OFF ME –he could be dead because of what- put me DOWN! – “ picking up the struggling girl around the middle, the cop put her down in the corridor.

“I’m sorry Miss, but you’ll have to leave – neither of you are in a fit state for visiting”

“Cecily?” Dru looked totally bewildered at her friend’s actions and behaviour, and went to the door, and turned the handle, but it was locked – suddenly Dru began to panic, she HATED being locked in, and began to cry and pull at the door.

Still struggling Cecily was practically dragged down the corridor shouting how she hoped Dru would rot in hell and she never wanted to see her again………
Dru’s world began to spin, and she put her hands over her ears and began to scream, and scream………………………………

“I’m sorry miss, but you are barred from this hospital, we cannot and will not have that sort of behaviour”

“Don’t care I don’t EVER want to see her again…” She turned with as much dignity as she could muster and flung open the double-doors to reception. Sweet stood as soon as he saw her, having heard the debacle.

“Daddy – how’s Lorney?”

Sweet nodded and reached for her hand, and said a little above a whisper,

“You saved him” gasping and choking back tears, they both left the hospital.

Two rather big male nurses entered Dru’s room and descended on her, one with a straight jacket, the other with a loaded hypodermic needle, and it was suddenly all nice and quiet again………

*****






Eight weeks later

The girls, Buffy, Harmony, Cordelia and Cassie were all wearing Santa hats, decorated with sprigs of holly and mistletoe, and wearing long thick strings of tinsel like feather boa’s around their necks. No work had been done at all, they’d sat around drinking egg-nog and opening presents from each other.

“Well, at least if Noiz are number one, they’re from Aphrodite…” Harmony said philosophically.

“That’s very magnanimous of you! Who’d have thought it, the great American public buying a song called ‘I hate f*cking Christmas!’” Cordelia said, but she was smiling.

“Can we go home yet?” Xander asked. It was Christmas Eve, 2.30pm.

“Not until we’ve seen his lord and master – he wants to give us our presents in person this year – eh up, speak of the devil…oh look who’s with him!” Spike said, seeing their shadows coming along the corridor.

Sweet entered the office with Cecily and Lorne.

“Lorne! – How are you?”

“Oh, you know…I’m okay, I get tired quickly, but hey – still alive!” Buffy and Cordelia led him to the sofa and sat down, and Cecily handed the girls their presents. Sweet took Spike to one side.

“Well Spike…I know you weren’t at the meeting last night, and I kept this information back…here – your Christmas present” He handed Spike an envelope, and he was just about to slip it into his pocket, but Sweet stopped him.

“Open it, you don’t have to give me an answer or anything now, I’ll speak to you in the New Year sometime, only I’ll be in Bermuda or the South of France”

Spike opened up the envelope and his eyes nearly popped

“Oh my god – are you serious?” Spike looked over the share certificate, giving him a 33% share of Aphrodite Music.

“Quite – like I say, you don’t have to give me your answer now, but I figure that well…I owe you at least that – I want you to take over the reins head the Music side for me – I’m retiring, well semi-retiring…this business………well, what’s happened these last few months, made me realise something, and I’ve woken up and smelt the coffee – I’ve got to prioritise what’s important in my life now – having nearly lost it all (he looked across to Lorne and Cecily, then back to Spike) it’ll be down to you, you sign the bands, you sign the cheques…of course, if the profits start to fall, I’ll come and kick your butt from here back to Blighty, but ………” they both smiled at this, then Sweet went serious.

“Her father contacted me you know, Lord Netherbourne. He said to leave her where she is – the Hall Institute will look after her – security there is second to none, she’ll never be let out and, well, if she did ever become well enough, which I doubt, but – she’d be charged with attempted murder – and strangely enough, I don’t think that’s what Lorne would have wanted…”


“Have you seen her?” Spike, like Sweet couldn’t even bring himself to say Dru’s name. Sweet shook his head once

“No, I – I couldn’t bring myself to – Cecily saw her the night of the incident – she didn’t even realise what she’d done, wanted to know when Lorne was coming to take her home – I won’t go see her – ever” Spike nodded and looked across to the girls giving Lorne Christmas kisses, and he smiled

“Well Spike, think on about the offer won’t you”

“There’s no need to think about it – I accept!” They shook hands on the deal, and Sweet said,

“Well, we better cut along – Lorne gets tired, and we still have presents to give out…Merry Christmas everybody!” Everybody wished him Merry Christmas back.

“So babe, what have you got?”

“Well, all us girls got a cute teddy-bear holding a voucher for a $1000 for that swanky new Mall – it can be spent in any of the shops, jewellery or cosmetics – lingerie…”

“Oh yes – I think I should buy you shares in Victoria’s Secret the amount you spend!”

“For your benefit!” Buffy playfully pushed his arm

“Merry Christmas everybody!” everybody looked up to see Anya waving a bottle of champagne in the air, with a grinning Giles by her side.

“…………No Pookie! You are definitely NOT buying cowboy boots with your voucher!” Everyone heard Harmony say, and Cordelia and Buffy collapsed in giggles.

“Honestly – where did I get him from?” Harmony rolled her eyes, and plonked herself down on Xander’s lap.

“So baby…what did Mr Santa bring you?” Buffy slipped her arms around Spike’s neck

“Well…I must have been a very good boy this year, that’s all I can say………”

“Oh yes? – Why?”

“You’re now looking at the head of Aphrodite Music – he’s given me a third share in the company” Buffy arms slipped for a second and she looked at him wide-eyed

“You’re kidding!”

“Nope…he gave me the New Year to think about it, but hell, there’s no need – I’ve already accepted”

“Oh baby! – That’s brilliant!” Buffy hugged him up tightly.

“Oi, Spike, put her down, come and look at this!”

“Oi Spike, Oi Spike? – Is that any way to address your new boss?” Buffy asked smiling

“What?” Xander and Harmony looked up at Spike, as did Cordelia.

“I’m head of Music -!” They all came over and congratulated Spike saying how much he deserved it.

At three o’clock, they left – Buffy and Spike, and Cordelia and Wesley all having been invited over to Harmony and Xander’s place on Christmas evening.

*********


“Mr Alphonse Smith…Alphonse – “

“Er, s-sorry, th-that’s me”

“Mr Smith, I have your HIV status test results” The nurse held a folded piece of paper.

“Um, uh huh…” He wanted to turn and run – he was shaking like a leaf, and neither the nurse’s body language nor facial expression gave anything away.

“I um…I don’t know whether to…er”

The nurse took pity on him, and smiled

“Relax, honey – things are never quite as bad as they seem” She gave him a wink, and put the slip of paper on the table in front of him. Slowly at first Al reached for the slip, yanked it open and the word NEGATIVE in big black capital letters jumped out at him – he could have wept in relief!

*******

“Auditions for the toilet tissue commercial, would you please come this way”

Glory B was wearing dark glasses and a scarf, even though she was in London.

“NEXT”

Glory stood in front of the table. The guy sitting looked up disinterestedly at her.

“Read these words on the card clearly and distinctly as possible please” he handed her a card.

“André’s toilet tissue, soft, strong and –“


“Are you American?” the guy asked, and Glory took off her dark glasses and said,

“Yes, I’m Glory Benson, Glory B – I used to have the biggest show on the cable network in-“

“Don’t care luv, we don’t want an American accent – NEXT”

“But you can’t just – ow – hey! Now you listen here Mr – who do you think you’re talking to?”

“Don’t know luv, don’t care, I’VE NEVER heard of you – NEXT!”

Glory threw the card down in disgust and snatched up her purse and left – it was time people started to show her some respect! – The tragedy of it – Glory B reduced to being turned down to do a voice over for toilet roll commercial…………

****


“You, hello, you, yes you!” Dru called out

“My name, is Nurse Dobson, see, it says so on my name button”

“Yes, yes, whatever – look, tell cook Miss Edith can’t have any cake for tea – she’s been naughty again, she’s been whispering lies to me – saying my Spike doesn’t love me. What time are my friends coming?”

“What for?” the nurse asked patiently

“For tea! Daddy, and Ceccy, Lorne and Spike”

“I’m not sure – why don’t you sit by the window and wait for them”

“Okay…come along Miss Edith” Dru went over to one of the window seats

“Is she still talking to the doll?” Dr Williams asked the nurse.

“Yes, although she insists it’s called Miss Edith – she won’t have it called anything else”

“Does she talk about the incident at all?”

“No doctor – she thinks that they are her friends still – she’s waiting for them now”

“And she doesn’t have visitors?”

“No doctor, none at all”

“I see, well, keep me up to speed if she does say anything, will you Nurse Dobson”

“I will, doctor”






Epilogue


When Buffy woke up on Christmas morning, she saw Spike standing at the window.

The house had been repaired and completely altered so there would be no bad memories. They never spoke about Dru – once they knew she was in a secure place and would never be let out the subject never came up again.

“Hey…merry Christmas…everything okay?” Buffy sat up in bed

Spike smiled and said,

“Merry Christmas, Kitten. Sure…one thing I know, though!”

“What’s that babe?”

“The sky is so blue and it’s far too hot for Christmas!”

Buffy turned her head and saw a huge pile of presents and squealed with delight and jumped up out of bed.

“Just a minute young lady…put that down!” She’d picked up a present, and gave it a curious shake as it rattled. She pouted and stomped towards the bed.

“Buffy…I love you” She smiled instantly and went and cuddled him up.

“And I love you!”

“I mean, I really, REALLY love you”

“I know babe, I feel the same, I really, REALLY love you too”

“Enough to…Buffy – “ To her surprise – Spike was suddenly out of her arms, and kneeling on the floor.

“Spike?”

“Buffy…would you marry me?” Spike held up the most beautiful diamond ring Buffy had ever seen.

She was SO shocked at first, then her eyes flooded with tears and she flung her arms around his neck

“YES! OH GOD, yes – yes please!”

Spike took the ring out of the box and slipped it onto her finger – she couldn’t stop staring at it between kissing and hugging him.

“This is the BEST Christmas I’ve ever had!”

“I think I agree with you! – C’mere you…those pressies can wait another hour to be opened……………

THE END
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=7143