Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers by Wolfram_and_Hart
Summary: Buffy and Spike continue towards Mordor being guided by Gollum. Angel, Willow and Xander try and rescue Dawn and Andrew from a troop of Uruk Hai. The evil power of Sauron and his toady Ethan Rayne continues to grow.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 15058 Read: 11687 Published: 01/15/2005 Updated: 01/21/2006

1. The Taming of Smeagol by Wolfram_and_Hart

2. The Uruk Hai by Wolfram_and_Hart

3. Oz and the Dead Marshes by Wolfram_and_Hart

4. The White Rider by Wolfram_and_Hart

5. The King of the Golden Hall by Wolfram_and_Hart

6. Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit by Wolfram_and_Hart

The Taming of Smeagol by Wolfram_and_Hart
Author's Notes:
The second part of the trilogy begins! Please read and review.
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
By Wolfram_and_Hart

Chapter 1: The Taming of Smeagol


“You cannot pass!” Giles said, raising his staff and sword. The Balrog spread its wings and stretched its arms, releasing a burst of flame from its body. The light from his staff brightened, encircling the wizard in a ball of light. “I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun!” The ancient evil formed a fiery sword in its hand and swung down on Giles. The Balrog’s sword shattered on the light from the wizard’s staff, it roared violently. “Go back to the Shadow!” The Balrog would not be denied; it formed a whip of flames, snapping it against the stone ledge. “YOU SHALL NOT PASS!” With the last of his strength, Giles drove his staff into the bridge as the demon stepped on it, causing it to collapse beneath its feet. As Giles turned, the demon’s whip lassoed around Giles leg and pulled him off the Bridge.

“GIIIIIIIIIIILLLEEEEEES!” Buffy shouted as Angel held her back. Giles grabbed at the edge of the Bridge, but he couldn’t hold on. He looked at Buffy and said one final message.

“You’ve made me so proud.” Giles said almost whispering, letting go of the Bridge. The Fellowship watched in shock and horror as Giles fell into abyss and out of sight.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Buffy screamed, her body wracked with pain at loosing the closest thing to a father she’d ever had. Giles fell faster and faster down the dark chasm, the Balrog not far below him. As he falls, he reaches out and grabs his sword and begins hacking at the demon. They plunge into the depths of the mountain, both trying to inflict as much damage as they can. The Balrog grabs Giles and is about to crush him in his hand, but it hits a rock ad it loses it let’s go of him. Giles reaches out and grabs onto one of the monster’s horns and starts stabbing again, they continue tumbling over and over at unimaginable speed. They fall towards a huge underground lake, and they hit it with such impact it shatters the mountain!

“Giles!” Buffy called, being jolted out of her sleep.

“What is it, Buffy?” Spike asked, also waking up.

“Nothing,” She said, realizing it wasn’t real. “Just a dream.” It had been three days since they left the Fellowship, and things weren’t as bad as they thought it would be. The endless crags of rock that was Emyn Muil wasn’t bad, they hadn’t seen any sign of an Orc since they’d been there.

“Can you see the bottom?” Spike called down to Buffy as they climbed down a large rock with Spike’s Elven rope. Buffy looked down from her place on the rope.

“No, this fog is to thick. Just keep going.” Buffy called back. As they continued, a pocket on Spike’s pack came open and a small box fell out.

“Catch it!” Spike called to Buffy. Buffy reached and grabbed at the box as it fell by her, but she lost her grip and fell. “BUFFY!”

“I think I found the bottom!” She called up, seeing that she had only fallen three feet to the ground. Spike breathed a sigh of relief as he climbed down to her.

“Thank God, thank you luv.” Spike said, taking the small box from Buffy.

“What is that anyway?” She asked, curious to what Spike was so afraid of losing.

“My Old Toby’s. Can’t bloody well be expected to go this whole quest without nicotine.” Spike said, taking out a cigarette.

“CIGARETTES?!” Buffy shrieked, exasperated. “You almost killed me for cigarettes!”

“Killed? You fell three feet.” Spike quipped, receiving a punch in the arm from Buffy. “Besides, it’s a little bit of the Shire, and God knows when we’ll be back there again.”

“I suppose.” Buffy said, feeling a little homesickness. “We can’t leave the rope here, someone could follow us.”

“Who the bloody hell is gonna follow us here?” motioning to the uninhabitable terrain. “Real Elvish rope that is, what a shame to leave it.” He said sarcastically, a little bitter that Andrew and Dawn got the weapons and he got a sodden rope. “But that’s one of my knots and it won’t come undone easy.” He said tugging it, causing it to drop down to them. Buffy smirked at Spike’s glared at her, daring her to make fun. They hiked for the next few hours up a few rocky hills before taking a break. Off in the distance they saw the shadowy mountains that stood as the borders of Mordor, a flash of red indicated that Mount Doom was erupting.

“Mordor, not exactly the place you take the wife and kids.” Buffy said, trying to lighten the mood.

“Yeah, the one place in Middle Earth we don’t want to see any closer and it’s the one place we’re trying to get to. And we just can’t seem to get there. Face it pet, we’re lost. I don’t think Giles wanted us to go this way.”

“Giles didn’t want a lot of things to happen, Spike but they did anyway.” She said, looking back towards Mordor. As she looked, she got a flash of the Eye of Sauron in her mind sending her falling to the ground.

“Buffy, what’s wrong?” Spike asked, seeing her fall. “It’s the Ring, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it feels like I got a brick around my neck.” She said, taking a sip from her water bottle. “What food do we got?”

“Well let me see.” Spike said, looking into his pack. “Lembas bread, lembas bread and, what a shock, more lembas bread.” He said, throwing a piece to Buffy. “I’ve never been one for foreign food, but this Elvish stuff’s not bad.” He said, as it started pouring rain on them. They ran and huddled under a rock while it rained.

“Remind me never to go on a quest again!” Buffy said, shivering. Spike wrapped his arms and his Elven cloak around her as they sat there under the rock, while the rain poured. They continued walking the next day, but a huge patch of fog descended on the rocky place and they became even more lost. They walked around till what felt like midday and they looked around.

“This place looks familiar,” Spike said, looking around. “Oh bollocks we’ve been here before!”

“I know, there’s the rock we sat under when it rained yesterday.” Buffy said, recognizing the area.

“Ugh! You smell that?” Spike asked, smelling a rancid stench. “I think there’s a swamp or something near by. You smell it?”

“Yeah, I smell it.” She said, glancing around. She looked at Spike and dropped her voice to a whisper. “We’re not alone.” They fell asleep almost immediately that night, not seeing the dark shape on the cliff above them. A small, frail creature crawled down the cliff towards them. It was the creature Gollum.

“The thievesss! The thievesss! The filthy little thievesss! Where is it?” Gollum hissed. “Where isss it? They stole it from us. My preciousss. Curse them! We hates them! It’s ours it is and we wants it!” but as Gollum reached for them, the two Hobbits reached up and threw him to the ground. Gollum struggled with the Hobbits, but he got free and dove at Buffy. Buffy fell down as Gollum clawed at her, trying to reach the Ring. Spike grabbed Gollum from behind and threw him off Buffy, but he turned and bit Spike on the neck. He wrapped his arms and legs around Spike, trying to strangle him, but Buffy pulled out the Elvish scythe, Sting, and held it to Gollum’s throat.

“This is Sting, you’ve seen it before, haven’t you Gollum?” She said fiercely, holding the blade close to his jugular. “Let go of him or lose your head.” Gollum let Spike go and Spike tied him up. They couldn’t take a step without Gollum’s shrieking since Spike put the rope around his neck.

“It burns us! It freezes! Nasty Elves twisted it! Take it off us!” Gollum howled.

“This is bloody perfect, we bring him along and we’re dead. Every Orc in Mordor’s going to hear that bloody racket! I think we should just tie him up and leave him.” Spike said, throwing a hateful glance at Gollum.

“No! That would kill us! Kill us!” Gollum begged.

“And yet I’m paralyzed with not caring.” Spike said, rolling his eyes. Gollum began writhing on the ground squealing and crying.

“Maybe he does deserve to die, but now that I see him I pity him.” Buffy said, her heart breaking a little for this miserable creature. She remembered her words in Moria, and now wondered how she thought that. But the creature and the memory of what he tried to do to her mother still repelled her.

“We’ll be nice to them if they be nice to us. Take it off us!” Gollum pleaded, clutching Buffy’s feet. “ We swears to do what you want, we swears!”

“And what promise can you make that we can trust?” Buffy asked, skeptically.

“We swears to serve the mistress of the preciousss. We’ll swear on… on the precious. Gollum! Gollum!” the creature coughed out.

“The Ring doesn’t like people who break their word. It will hold you to your promise.” Buffy said.

“Yes, on the preciousss. On the preciousss.”

“I don’t trust him.” Spike said to Buffy. Gollum tried to run, but Spike pulled him back, hard. “He’s trying to trick us, first chance he gets I’ll wager he tries to kill us in our sleep.” Buffy walked over to Gollum, who cowered away from her.

“You know the way to Mordor?” She asked, glaring at him. “You’ve been there before.”

“Yes, yes.” Gollum nodded. Buffy took the noose from around Gollum’s neck, much to his relief.

“Take us to the Black Gate.” Buffy ordered. Gollum began to crawl away from them, the two Hobbits following.

“To the gate, to the gate. To the gate, mistress says. Yes!” One of Gollum’s personalities said, but the other responded. “No! We won’t go back! Not there! Not to him! They can’t make us! ‘Gollum! Gollum! But we swore to serve the mistress of the precious. No! Ashes and dust and thirst there is and pits, pits, pits. And Orcses, thousands of Orcses. And always the Great Eye, watching. Watching. Aaaaarrrgghhh!” Gollum hissed as the Hobbits came closer. Gollum turned and ran as fast as possible, until Buffy and Spike lose sight of him.

“Great, told you he’d do something like this.” Spike growled, looking around for Gollum. “I trust that little bugger’s promises as far as I can throw him.”

“Hurry, this way Hobbitses!” Gollum said, reappearing behind a rock. “Follow me!” Buffy and Spike turned and followed their new “guide” towards Mordor.
The Uruk Hai by Wolfram_and_Hart
Author's Notes:
I know in the book and movie Eomer and Eowyn are siblings, but it sounded weird to have Fred and Gunn as siblings. So Fred (Eowyn) and Gunn (Eomer) still the king’s niece and nephew, but they’re cousins not brother and sister.
Chapter 2: The Uruk Hai
Disclaimer: I don’t own it. Now stop harassing me!

The troop of Uruk Hai had been running for three days, the two captive Hobbits in tow. Andrew and Dawn were carried on the backs of two Uruks, their hands tied. Dawn had passed out from exhaustion on the Orc’s back, leaving Andrew alone with the monsters. Razor, the Uruk who had been named the new leader of the group, signaled for the rest of them to halt as they came to a rendezvous point where some Mordor Orcs were waiting for them.

“You’re late.” said an Orc named Doc, who seemed to be the leader of the Mordor Orcs. “Do you have the Hobbits? Our master is growing impatient.”

“Indeed. His most splendiferous magnificence desires the Shire rats now.” Added an Orc named Jinx.

“I don’t take orders from Orc maggots like you!” Razor growled, his gang close behind. “Rayne will get what he wants. We’re gonna deliver them, and *were* getting the credit!” He snarled, turning back to the other Uruk Hai.

“I hate Uruk Hai, they think they’re so better than the original model.” Doc, whispered to his cohorts. Andrew looked at Dawn, very concern. She hadn’t moved or opened her eyes in hours, she looked sick and a small moan escaped her mouth now and again.

“Dawn?” Andrew called to her, receiving no response. He looked around and saw an Uruk drinking from a bottle, maybe he could get them to give Dawn something to drink. “My friend is sick, she needs water. Please!”

“She’s sick, huh?” Razor asked, an evil grin spread across his face. “Well, don’t just stand there, give her some medicine boys!” The Uruk Hai poured the contents of the bottle into Dawn’s mouth, and it wasn’t water. It was a thick, goopy, disgusting liquid that caused Dawn to wake up and spew the stuff from her mouth. The Uruk Hai laughed as she coughed and spit the Orc ale out.

“Can’t hold her liquor!” Razor laughed.

“Leave her alone!” Andrew shouted as they laughed.

“Why? You want some to?” Razor asked, growling at Andrew, who shook his head. “Then keep your trap shut!” he ordered as he turned away from the Hobbits.

“Dawn?” Andrew called to Dawn, who had regained consciousness.

“Hi Andrew.” She said, as she spit out some more Orc liquor.

“Dawn, are you all right? You look hurt or sick.” Andrew asked, looking worried.

“I’m fine, it was just an act.” Dawn lied.

“An act?” Andrew asked, skeptically.

“See? I fooled you to.” Dawn said, trying to sound convincing. “I’ll be fine, Andrew.” At the head of the line, an Uruk sniffed the air and motioned to Razor.

“What is it?” Razor asked. “What do you smell?”

“Human.” He responded, sniffing again. “Dwarf. And Elf.” The Uruks and Orcs looked around, weapons drawn.

“Angel.” Andrew whispered to himself.

“They’re gaining on us. MOVE!” Razor shouted, as both groups of Orcs began running again. Andrew had to leave something for the others to find. He ripped off the broach of his cloak with his mouth and let it fall to the ground.

Miles away, Angel held his ear to the ground, hearing the Uruk Hai’s movement in the distance.
“They’ve picked up speed. They know we’re after them. Hurry, we’re on the right track!” Angel called, back to his companions.

“Come on Xander, we’re gaining on them!” Willow called back to her friend the Dwarf.

“Oh God…” Xander said, huffing and puffing. “We’ve been at this for three days with no stopping. No food or sleep, and no sign of our friends or the monsters that took them, except for what Angel can get out of the rocks. I love this.” Xander groaned as he continued to run after his friends. They ran for hours, over hills and plains in hopes of getting their friends back.

“Look!” Angel said, motioning to something on the ground. He picked up an Elvin broach like the ones on their cloaks. “What are the odds that someone else lost an Elvin broach, exactly like the ones Andrew and Dawn were wearing?”

“They might be alive!” Willow said, hope shining in her eyes.

“They’re only a few hours ahead, come on!” Angel said as they continued to run, Xander lagging behind.

“This cross country isn’t my scene, Dwarves are more equipped for sprinting.” Xander muttered. “You make us run over a short distance, you’re in real trouble.” As they reached a hill, they surveyed the land around them.

“We’re in Rohan, home of the best horsemen on earth.” Angel said, looking around. “Something’s wrong here, the Uruk Hai are fast, but not that fast.”

“Something must be using magic to keep them ahead of us.” Willow said, looking towards the horizon. “Oh no, they’re heading northeast towards Isengard!”

“Ethan Rayne. Hurry!” Angel said as they took off again. Miles away, inside Orthanc tower in Isengard, Ethan Rayne contacted his new master through the palantir.

***

“The world that ignores thee, thou inhabit. The peace that ignores thee, thou corrupt. Lord of Mordor. I remain, as ever, thy faithful, degenerate son.” Ethan said as he looked through the palantir, seeing the Dark Tower of Barad Dur. He saw in his mind, the armies that issued forth from the stronghold of the Dark Lord, and at the summit of the fortress, he gazed into the Eye of Sauron. Outside in the caverns and forges of Isengard, Ethan’s Orcs continued to manufacture weapons and hatch new Uruk Hai.

“Hey Boss.” Mr. Trick, the head Orc greeted Ethan. “How’s it goin’?”

“Fine, how’s production going?” Ethan asked, looking over the Uruk Hai marching from the spawning pits.

“Great, we’ve doubled production and the Uruk Hai are breeding faster than ever.”

“Good, I want them armed and ready to march in two weeks.”

“What? But, here’s to many of them. We can arm most of them, but not all of them. We don’t have the resources.”

“Build a dam and block the river. And keep the furnaces running all day and night.”

“We don’t have enough fuel for the fires.”

“Not enough fuel?” Ethan asked, looking incredulously. “Fangorn Forest is right outside the walls. Send out Orcs with axes and burn it down.”

“I love the way you think, Boss.” Trick said, grinning. “All right boys, we got a deforestation operation to do. Get to it!”

“The old world will burn in the fires of industry. The forests will fall.” Ethan thought to himself, watching the Orcs scramble to destroy the forest.

“Lord Rayne.” An Orc called, running up to him. “The leader of the Wildmen is here to see you.”

“Great!” Ethan said, going to meet his newest ally. He walked into his throne room and met Parker, chief of the Wildmen.

“We will fight for you.” Parker said, saluting Ethan.

“Swear it.” Ethan responded. Parker pulled out a dagger and cut the palm of his hand, swearing a blood oath.

“We will fight and die for Ethan Rayne!” Parker swore. He left and came back that night with his warriors to receive Ethan’s orders.

“The horsemen took your land.” Ethan said, addressing the Wildmen. “They took your homes and drove your people into the hills to scratch a living off rock!” the Wildmen roared in anger. “Take back what they stole from you. Burn every village!” Parker charged out with his troops to attack Rohan.

‘A new order will rise. We’ll drive the war machine with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Orc.’ Ethan thought, smugly. ‘All we have to do is remove those who stand against us.’

The next morning, hundreds of Wildmen, Orcs and Uruk Hai charged across the plains of Rohan ready to destroy anything that crossed their path. Village after village was burned to the ground and its citizens either ran or died at the hands of Ethan’s troops.

“Together, my lord Sauron, we shall rule this Middle Earth.” Ethan said into the palantir.

***

At the Isen River, rain began to fall on the many bodies left from a battle when Gunn’s group of horsemen arrived. Men, Orcs, and horse carcasses were all around, and Gunn knew that his cousin was with the group that was part of this massacre.

“Steven!” Gunn called out. “Find the King’s son!” he ordered. They dismounted and began looking through the fallen soldiers for Steven.


“After we find him, we need to put a serious hurtin’ on Mordor‘s ass.” Rondell fumed.

“Good idea, but one problem.” Gunn said, staring at an Orc corpse.

“And what’s that?” Rondell asked.

“These Orcs ain’t from Mordor,” Gunn said, showing off a helmet with the White Hand of Ethan Rayne painted on it. “They’re from Isengard.”

“We found him!” One of the horsemen yelled. Gunn and Rondell ran over and saw Steven was wounded badly, but was still alive.

“Let’s get him on a horse and get him home.” Gunn ordered. They hauled the wounded young man up on a horse and rode as fast as possible to Edoras, the capital of Rohan. Gunn took Steven to the infirmary of the Golden Hall, followed by his cousin Fred.

“What happened, Charles?” Fred asked, looking at her wounded cousin.

“Orcs.” Gunn said, wrapping Steven’s arm. “Rayne’s Orcs. We need to see your dad.” Gunn and Fred walked through the Hall to the throne room, where King Holtz sat in the dark. Something had happened to the king over the last few months, he was aged beyond his years; he barely spoke and looked like he would die any day.

“Steven is hurt badly, Uncle. The doctors say there’s a chance he won’t make it.” Fred said, tears rolling down her cheeks.

“He was ambushed by Orcs. If we don’t do something to protect ourselves soon, Ethan Rayne is gonna take the whole place over.”

“OK dude, you’re overreacting.” Said a voice from the shadows. The king’s chief advisor, Warren Wormtongue walked over to Holtz’s side. “Also, you’re wrong. Ethan Rayne the White has always been our friend and ally. What makes you think hat he’d, all of a sudden, turn on us?”

“Because Orcs are running roughshod over the whole country, they’re raping, pillaging, and killing anything they want. And they’re wearing Rayne’s White Hand on their armor.” Gunn spat, holding the helmet with the White Hand painted on it.

“Why are you doing this?” Warren asked, looking at Gunn like he was a child throwing a tantrum. “Why are you dumping all this stress into your uncle’s lap? Can’t you see he’s got enough on his mind as it is? Do you have to add to his problems with your warmongering?”

“Warmongering?” Gunn asked, furiously. He grabbed Warren and pinned him against the wall. “When was it, Warren? When did you sell your soul to Rayne? What did you sell it for? After the kingdom is his and everyone else is dead you get first dibs on the treasury?” Warren didn’t answer; he just glanced to the side, looking at Fred. She looked at Warren with utter revulsion, and walked away. Gunn punched Warren in the gut and grabbed his face. “Don’t even think about it! You touch her, you die slow.”

“You’re smart, Gunn.” Warren said, looking over his shoulder. Warren’s thugs grabbed Gunn and started to beat him down. “In fact, you’re to smart. You’re now banished from Rohan, under penalty of death.”

“You’re not in charge here.” Gunn yelled, trying to lung at the slimy advisor. “You can’t banish me!”

“You’re right, but the king can. And he did, he signed the order this morning.” Warren said, grinning as he showed Gunn the edict that banished him from the country. The thugs dragged Gunn out of the palace and out of the city.

***

The group of Uruk Hai and Orcs continued their marathon run across the fields of Rohan, with Angel, Willow and Xander miles away trying desperately to catch up. They ran and ran until late that night, when they stopped for a breather.

“Get a fire going!” Razor commanded, a few Orcs with axes began hacking into the trees of the forest near by. They threw the two Hobbits down and began rest and preparation to run again. Andrew crawled over to where Dawn was and shook her a little till she regained consciousness.

“Dawn?” Andrew whispered, as she opened her eyes.

“I think maybe we shoulda stayed home, Andrew.” Dawn said weakly, as Andrew helped her sit up. As the Orcs chopped firewood, a strange deep groaning could be heard reverberating through the forest. “What’s that?”

“The trees” Andrew said, looking awestruck. Dawn rolled her eyes, as she knew Andrew had a wealth of knowledge of all unbelievable stories or tales and he was about to go into one of his overblown summaries. “Remember the forest on the borders of Buckland? They say that there was some ancient power in the water, it made the trees grow taller than anywhere on earth, and it made them come alive. They began to think, to talk to each other, even move.”

“I’m starving!” grumbled an Uruk named M’ Fashnik. “We haven’t had anything but moldy bread for three damn days! What I wouldn’t give for the taste of raw meat and hot blood in my mouth.”

“Yeah, why can’t we have meat? I mean come on, I’m skin and bones here.” Asked an Orc named Merl. Merl looked behind an Uruk, at the two Hobbits. “Hey, what about them? They look fresh, and I bet they taste great with onions.”

“They aren’t food, especially for the likes of you.” Razor growled at Merl.

“What about they’re legs?” Asked the Orc, Doc, his mouth watering. “They don’t need those if you guys are gonna carry them to Isengard. And you have to admit, they do look tasty.”

“Back off, you piece of crap! Razor shouted, shoving Doc and the other Orcs back. The two factions growled at each other over the fate of the prisoners. “They go to Rayne, alive and unspoiled!”

“Alive?” Doc asked, curious at the importance of the two Hobbits. “Why alive?”

“Maybe he wants the female, I know there’s a few things I’d like to do with her.” An Orc said ogling Dawn, licking his lips. Dawn scooted away from the Orc in question.

“They have some Elvish weapon or something, the Boss wants it for the war.” Razor said, growling at the Orcs.

“They think we have the Ring.” Andrew whispered to Dawn, who clamped a hand over his mouth.

“Shut up, they figure out we don’t have it, we’re dead.” Dawn whispered hurriedly.

“OK, just a mouth full.” Merl said, appearing behind them raising a knife. “ Just off the ribs.” But before he could strike, Razor swung his sword and lopped off Merl’s head his body falling to the ground.

“Well,” Razor said, looking at the Orc’s body. “I guess meat’s back on the menu boys!” The Uruks roared in approval as they started tearing into their former college. With the Orcs’ full attention on their meal, Dawn and Andrew began crawling away from the campsite. But suddenly a foot stomped down on Dawn’s back, and she’s turned over by the Orc Doc.

“Go on, call for help.” Doc said, smiling. “I’m afraid noone’s going to save you this time.” But he spoke to soon as a spear flew through the air and landed in Doc’s back. The Orcs and Uruk Hai looked up to see horsemen riding in and ambushing them. He place was chaos, Orcs were being slaughtered and the huge horses were close to crushing the Hobbits. As they ran between the falling bodies, Andrew fell backwards and screamed as he saw a pair of horse hooves coming down on him.
Oz and the Dead Marshes by Wolfram_and_Hart
Chapter 3: Oz and the Dead Marshes
Disclaimer: I could say that I own Buffy or Lord of the Rings, but that would be a lie and my firm doesn’t need a needless lawsuit.


“Uh oh.” Willow said, looking at the sky in the light of the rising sun. “A red sky and a red sun. Something bad happened last night.” She assessed grimly.

“We better hurry.” Angel said as they began running again. They ran across the plains, until they heard the sound of horses galloping towards them. They looked and saw a large group of horsemen ride over the hill ahead of them. “Hey, Riders” Angel shouted to them. “What’s the word on Rohan’s state?” They riders turned and surrounded the three former members of Fellowship. They raised their spears at them, as one of them dismounted.

“What’s an Elf, a Dwarf and a human doin’ out here, miles from anywhere?” The Rider asked, eyeing them suspiciously. “I’m waiting.”

“You tell me your name, we tell you ours.” Xander said, trying to sound confident.

“And why would I tell my name to a Dwarf who looks like he could get beat up by preschoolers?” Gunn asked, angrily. Suddenly Gunn’s horse started thrashing and neighing, and rose into the air above the group.

“Because it’s not nice to insult people who have witches for friends.” Willow said, smiling. The other soldiers pointed their spears at Willow, but they too flew into the air.

“Willow,” Angel said to the red haired Elf. “They get the point.”

“OK.” Willow said and the horse and spears came back down.

“I’m Angel, this is Willow and Xander. We’re friends of Rohan, and of King Holtz.”

“He’s not big into telling the difference between friends and enemies lately. Even family.” The rider said, removing his helmet. “I’m Charles Gunn, the king’s nephew, and he kicked me out. Me and my crew were trying to keep Rohan safe, and we got banished for it. Ethan Rayne’s runnin’ the show now, my uncle’s just his puppet. His spies are all over the place.”

“We aren’t spies, we’re tracking a troop of Uruk Hai that captured two of our friends.” Angel said, trying to get Gunn to trust them.

“Uruk Hai? We killed them last night.” Gunn said nonchalantly.

“Did you see two Hobbits with them?” Xander asked, suddenly worried.

“What’re Hobbits?” Gunn asked, not recognizing the term.

“Little people, they’d look kids to you.” Willow said, explaining.

“We killed anything that moved.” Gunn said, despondently. “We burned the corpses over the hill.” He said, pointing towards a pillar of smoke coming from over the hill.

“No.” Willow said, tears in her eyes.

“I’m sorry.” Gunn said, knowing from experience the pain of losing someone close. He had two horses brought forward. “These horses belonged to two of my best people, hopefully there won’t be a repeat of what happened to their last riders. Later.” Gunn said getting back on his horse and riding off with his men.

“Come on.” Angel said as they climbed on the horses and rode in the direction of the smoke. They came to a large pile of charred bodies and ashes, a spear with Razor’s head on it beside it. Xander began sifting through the burned remains of the Uruk Hai, searching for something, anything that would show that Dawn and Andrew were still alive.

“They can’t be dead, they just can’t!” Willow said, trying to convince herself. “They’re gonna be fine, they’re gonna be fine, right?”

“I don’t know Will, I don’t know.” Xander said, tossing a few burned body parts away.
He suddenly saw something that made a lump rise in his throat, he picked it up and showed it to Willow and Angel. Xander said, tears welling in his eyes. The small charred piece of leather and a sheath for a small sword was all that was left. “It’s one of their belts. They’re gone.”

“Oh God, no.” Willow said, unable to suppress a sob. Angel kicked a nearby helmet and screamed in anguish and anger. The three trackers stood there in a state of shock and sadness. Angel sank to his knees in anger, staring at the ground miserably.

“Wait…” Angel said, noticing something on the ground. “Two Hobbits were laying here,” he motioned to the ground. “They crawled this way. Their hands were tied.” Angel said, looking over the ground. He picked up a thick piece of rope cut in half. “They cut the ropes. They ran over here, but an Orc followed them. They ran away from the massacre…into Fangorn Forest.” Angel assessed, looking at the huge trees of the ancient forest.

“Fangorn, I think they were safer with the Uruk Hai.” Xander said, looking into the thick dark woods.

***Flashback***

Andrew screamed as the pair of horse hooves came down, narrowly missing him. He rolled over by Dawn and they crawled over to an Orc’s axe that fell to the ground. They were able to cut through the ropes with the axe blade and began to runaway from the fight between the horsemen and the Orcs. They had almost gotten away, when a severely injured Doc grabbed Andrew’s belt in a death grip. Andrew unbuckled his belt, leaving it in Doc’s grasp and the two of them kept running until they’d gotten deep into the woods.

“I think we lost him.” Andrew said, catching his breath.

“Think again!” Dawn said, pointing to Doc, who just jumped out behind a tree. He brandished a knife and ran after the two Hobbits. “Climb the tree!” Dawn ordered as they scampered up a large tree. They looked around from their perch and saw no sign of Doc, until Dawn is suddenly pulled to the ground. Doc stood over her with his knife.

“Shallow cuts, shallow cuts. Let the blood flow free.” Doc said smiling, holding his knife just above Dawn.

“DAWN!” Andrew screamed, looking on in horror. He was about to climb down when he felt the tree move, he looked around and saw a huge pair of eyes in the tree trunk looking at him. He screamed like a little girl and fell, only to be caught by the tree.

“Well, this should be interesting.” Doc said, bringing his knife back to strike. But Dawn’s wide eyes had turned from him to the large moving tree behind him. Doc turned just in time to see the tree stomp on him. Dawn got to her feet and tried to run, but the tree swept down and picked her up. The tree looked at the two Hobbits with interest.

“Orcs. Hmm.” The tree said.

“The tree is talking.” Dawn said, very confused and scared.

“I’m not a tree, I’m an Ent.” The large thing said.

“I’ve seen ants and they’re a lot smaller than you.” Dawn said, mixing up the words.

“He said ‘Ent’ not ant. Ents are tree herders; they take care of the forests like shepherds. Ancient beings of great size and strength, with the power to talk and control the trees and protect them from their enemies. They…”

“He talks a lot.” The Ent said to Dawn.

“Preachin’ to the choir.” Dawn replied, rolling her eyes.

“Name’s Oz.” The Ent said.

“Nice to meet you Oz, are you evil?” Dawn asked, not knowing if they could trust this being.

“No, not currently.” Oz said, raising an eyebrow. “You two are Orcs, so if anyone’s evil it’s probably you.”

“We’re not Orcs.” Dawn said, offended. “We’re Hobbits.”

“Hobbits, never heard of ‘em.” Oz said.

“Hobbits. Halflings. Shirefolk.” Dawn supplied, Oz just stared at her.

“Not ringin’ any bells.” Oz said.

“Oh come on, do we look like Orcs to you?” Andrew asked, squirming in Oz’s grip.

“They don’t all look the same. They burn and chop down trees.” Oz said, anger beginning to grow. “I hate those tree killers!”

“We aren’t Orcs, I swear!” Dawn said, getting nervous at the look in Oz’s eyes.

“I’ll take you to the White Wizard, he’ll know.” Oz said, walking towards a clearing.

“White Wizard?” Andrew asked.

“Ethan Rayne!” Dawn said, remembering Giles talk. Oz set them down in front of a tall man in white flowing robes, they looked into the Wizard’s face in complete shock.

***Emyn Muil***

“See? See? We’ve led you out. Hurry Hobbitses. Hurry!” Gollum said, showing that they’d reached the end of the rocky place. Spike glared at the creature with disgust. “Nice Hobbits.” Gollum said, scampering ahead of them.

“He’s a breath of fresh air ain’t he? I wish I didn’t have to breathe.” Spike said, looking after the little pest.

“Yeah, he really gives me the wiggins. I still feel bad for him though.” Buffy said.

“You got a crush on him?” Spike asked, smirking.

“What?” Buffy whirled looking at Spike with disgust in her eyes. “Oh God no! That’s just yuck!”

“I know, but it’s been to long since I got your knickers in a twist.” Spike said, smirking.

“OK, I made a few mistakes in my love life, but even I wouldn’t date Gollum.”

“Whatever, you know…OH!” Spike said, slipping on the wet ground. Spike stood up and looked around. “Great we’re goin’ through a swamp.”

“Swamp yes, yes. Come Mistress, we will take you on safe pats through the mist. Come Hobbits, come! We must hurry.” Gollum said, leading them on a path through the marshlands. “I found it, I did. The way through the marshes. Orcs don’t use it Orcs don’t know it. They go round for miles and miles. Come quickly, swift and quick as shadows we must be.” They walked through the swamps after Gollum for the next two days, only taking brief stops in between.

“I don’t like this place.” Spike said, looking around. “The stench, the wetness, and it’s so quiet.”

“I know what you mean, it’s weird not even hearing birds chirping.” Buffy said, unpacking some lembas bread.

“No, no birdses to eat. No crunchable birdses. We are famished, yes! Famished we are, precious!” Gollum said, picking some worms out of the ground and eating them.

“I think I just lost my appetite.” Buffy said, grossed out by Gollum munching on the worm. She took her piece of bread and threw it to Gollum. “Here.”

“What does it eats? Is it tasty?” Gollum asked, putting the bread in his mouth. He chewed it once and choked on it, spitting it into the water. “It tries to chokes us! We can’t eats Hobbit food! We must starve!”

“Well, if you must." Spike snarked.

“Cruel Hobbit! It does not care if we be hungry! Does not care if we should die!”

“You’re a perceptive little bugger.” Spike said, smirking.

“Not like Mistress. Mistress cares. Mistress knows. Yes, precious.” Gollum looked at Buffy, who shrank away from the loathsome creature. She subconsciously reached up to the Ring; Gollum seemed to get the same idea and began slowly reaching for it. “Once it takes hold of us, it never lets go.”

“Don’t touch me!” Buffy said, slapping his hand away. Gollum crawled away from the two Hobbits and looked for more worms. They walked further after into the marshes, until they came upon several fires in the water. They looked into the water and saw that there were dead bodies in the water. “Gross, the water’s full of dead bodies.”

“All dead. All rotten. Elves and Men and Orcses. A great battle long ago.” Gollum said looking into the murky water. “The Dead Marshes. Yes, yes that is their name. This way. Don’t follow the lights.”

“Why shouldn’t we follow the lights?” Spike asked, pointing to the little fires.

“They are tricksy, they are wicked. They wants all who come here to fall into the water. To join the dead ones and light candles of their own.” Gollum said.

“Great, just great. Orcs, Uruk Hai, evil wizards, wraiths, giant demons and now evil fire.” Spike grumbled. Buffy wasn’t listening, one of the fires had begun to affect her, and she began walking towards it. The flame mesmerized her, drawing her closer until she fell into the water. She looked around in he water, frantically trying to swim. She looked at the dead bodies, and they began to move. The half rotted faces of dozens of Elves and men swarmed around her, reaching out to drag the Hobbit girl deeper into the marshes. But another pair of hands grabbed her from behind and hauled her out of the water. She turned and saw Gollum pulling her away from the water. She was grateful that the miserable creature saved her, but a little shocked.

“We told you, don’t follow the lights!” Gollum said, crawling away as Spike helped her to her feet.

Later that night, Buffy woke up from a dream and again felt the need to see the Ring. She pulled it from her shirt and just looked at it, it was a simple gold ban but she just couldn’t stop looking at it. She began to run her finger along the band, she almost thought she heard it purr.

“Sooo bright.” Buffy quickly put the Ring away she looked around and saw Gollum mumbling something. “Sooo beautiful. Our preciousss.”

“What?” Buffy asked, standing up and walking over to him.

“Mistress should be resting. Mistress needs to keep up her strength.”

“Who are you, really?”

“Mustn’t ask us. Not its business. Gollum Gollum!”

“I heard you were one of the River folk.”

“Cold be heart and hand and bone. Cold be travelers far from home.”

“You weren’t much different than a Hobbit, were you?”

“They do not see what lies ahead, when sun has failed and moon is dead.”

“And I guess you wrote poetry. Giles told me that your life was a sad story. Was it…Smeagol?” Buffy asked, Gollum looked at her bewildered at being called that.

“What did you call me?” Gollum asked, looking at her full of uncertainty.

“Smeagol, that’s your name. Or it was a long time ago.” Buffy said, rubbing his shoulder.

“My name? My name…” Gollum said, deep in thought. “S…S…Smeagol.” He said, a smile creeping over his face.

“I like that name.” Buffy said, smiling back at him. “That’s what I’ll call you from now on.”

“Smeagol.” Gollum said, getting used to the name. But their conversation was cut off by a loud earsplitting scream. Spike was jolted awake as the scream came again. They knew that sound, it was the shriek of the Nazgul.

“Black Riders!” Spike said, running towards Buffy and Gollum. The wound the Nazgul gave her suddenly felt like she was being stabbed again. She winced in pain as they hid under a large bush.

“I thought those things were dead.” Spike said, looking around.

“Dead? No, you cannot kill them. No.” Gollum said, also looking around fearfully for the source of the inhuman scream. They looked into the sky and saw a huge dark shape in the sky, it circled around and the three frightened travelers saw a huge dragon like creature with a Nazgul riding on its back. The hooded figure screamed again. “Wraiths! Wraiths on wings! They are calling for it, they are calling for the precious!”

Spike looked at Buffy, she still clutched at her chest, but her other hand seemed to inch closer to the Ring. Spike grabbed Buffy’s hand and held it from her neck. “It’ll be all right, pet.” The Nazgul circled on its Fell Beast once more, and it flew away towards Mordor.

“Come Hobbits, hurry. The Black Gate is very close.” Gollum said, once the Black Rider was out of sight. They stood and continued down Gollum’s path, towards the Black Gate.
The White Rider by Wolfram_and_Hart
Chapter 4: The White Rider
Disclaimer: Me not own nothin’

“Oh yuck!” Xander exclaimed, looking down.

“What?” Willow asked.

“I think I just stepped in an Orc.” Xander said, pointing at the squishy heap that used to be Doc the Orc.

“Eww.” Willow said, looking at the squished Orc.

“Well, at least we’re on the right track.”

“These tracks are strange, look at them.” Angel said, as they looked the 3-foot wide imprints on the ground.

“I don’t like it here, the trees are so close together it’s making me claustrophobic.” Xander said, looking around.

“This forest is very, very old. It’s seen a lot, and it’s not all good.” Willow said, as a deep groaning filled the forest. “That sound, the trees are talking to eachother.”

“Xander!” Angel hissed, seeing Xander had raised his axe in defense.

“What?” Xander asked, still holding up his axe.

“Put your axe down, your scaring the trees!” Willow added hurriedly.

“I’m scaring the trees?” Xander asked, looking at his friends like they were nuts but still lowered his axe.

“The trees have feelings, you know. The Elves woke the trees up and taught them to speak a long time ago.” Willow explained.

“Talking trees, great. What do trees talk about? Consistency of squirrel crap, bark color, counting leaves?” Xander muttered.

“Angel, there’s something here.” Willow whispered.

“You sense it to?” Angel asked, feeling a presence close by.

“It’s powerful. I think it’s Ethan Rayne.” Willow said, motioning behind them.

“Don’t let him speak, he’ll curse us.” Angel whispered as the three warriors prepared to draw their weapons. They turned and saw a figure cloaked in white light, it had to be Ethan. Willow fired an arrow at the White Wizard, but it was easily defected it. Xander threw a small axe at him, but it shattered on the Wizard’s staff. Angel pulled out his sword, but it suddenly became red hot and he dropped it. The light brightened around the Wizard.

“I imagine you three are looking for two young Hobbits named Dawn and Andrew.” The Wizard said.

“Where are they?!” Angel demanded, squinting through the light.

“They came this way yesterday, they’re safe.” The White Wizard replied.

“Who are you?” Angel asked, hiding his eyes from the blinding light. The light faded and the White Wizard stepped into view. The three trackers gaped at the familiar face of the Wizard, it wasn’t Ethan it was Giles! “It’s impossible!”

“Hello all.” Giles said, stepping forward.

“I’m so sorry,” Willow said, hugging Giles tears in her eyes. “I thought you were Ethan Rayne.”

“I am, in a sense. I’m the way Ethan should have been.” Giles said, hugging Willow back.

“But…but...but you fell in Moria.” Xander stammered.

“Indeed I did, I fell through fire and water.

***Flashback***

The Balrog and Giles continue to clash swords on Durin’s tower at the top of the mountain. Rain pours and lightning flashes all around them.

‘We fought for days, from the bowels of the mountain to the highest peak. The Balrog was so strong, it almost killed me a dozen times.’

A bolt of lightning strikes Giles’ sword, instilling it with power. The Balrog lunges at Giles, as it does the wizard plunges the electrified blade into the demon’s chest. The Balrog roars and falls from the tower, landing in a smoking heap on the mountainside.

‘Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin on the mountainside.’

Giles crawls towards the edge of the tower, but his strength is gone from the fight. He collapses from exhaustion and passes away. He lays in the snow, his body broken and dead.

‘I felt death take me then. I strayed out of thought and time. The stars wheeled overhead and everyday was a lifetime on earth. But it wasn’t my time, I felt my life return again. I was sent back until my task was finished.’

Giles gasps for air as his spirit returns and his body is revived. He sits up, finding his gray robes now white.

***Present***

“So, you got sent back from the dead to help against Sauron and since Ethan’s gone evil you’ve been promoted to new head of the order?” Xander asked, trying to get the facts straight.

“That’s about it.” Giles said.

“Glad you’re with us again, Giles.” Angel said, shaking his hand.

“Giles?” Giles asked, remembering. “Oh yes, Giles the Gray, that was my name. But I’m Giles the White now. And now the tide will turn.”

“What do you mean?” Xander asked.

“Come with me, we have a lot to do.” Giles said, leading them through the forest. “This stage of your journey is over, the next starts now. We must ride to Edoras.”

“Edoras?” Xander asked. “That’s a long way off, and we still need to find Dawn and Andrew.”

“Don’t worry about them.” Giles said, looking back at Xander.

“What, we come all this way and you want us to just leave them here?” Xander asked, frustrated. “We can’t just leave them in this dark, dank, ugly, scary…” Xander was cut off by the angry groaning of the trees. “Uh, I mean nice, beautiful, cozy forest.”

“It wasn’t just luck that brought Andrew and Dawn to Fangorn.” Giles explained. “A great power has been laying dormant here for ages, their coming will be like small pebbles that start an avalanche.”

“Well, one thing about you stayed the same.” Willow observed. “You still talk in cryptic poetry.”

“Yes well, something is about to happen that hasn’t happened in a long, long time.” Giles said, looking around. “The Ents are about to wake, and you’ll see that they are very strong.”

“Strong?” Xander asked. “Well, that’s good, we need more strong people.”

“Yes, so stop fretting, Xander. Dawn and Andrew are in no danger. In fact they’re much safer than we are about to be.”

“That’s comforting.” Xander mumbled. “I think I liked the old Giles better.”

“So, if we’re going to Edoras, I assume you heard about the trouble in Rohan?” Angel asked.

“Indeed, things are going badly there, we have much work to do.” Giles said as they exited the forest. Giles whistled loudly as they looked out over the plains, until a horse neighing was heard approaching. A beautiful white horse galloped over to the four friends.

“Is that, is that a Mearas?” Willow asked, staring awestruck at the horse.

“Yes it is, his name is Shadowfax.” Giles said, climbing onto Shadowfax. “Now get on your horses, we need to hurry!” The three others jumped on the horses Gunn gave them and they rode towards Edoras.

***Deep in Fangorn Forest***

Dawn and Andrew rode on Oz’s shoulders as he walked through the dense forest. They were tired from their long journey, and Oz’s songs weren’t able to keep them awake.

“Is it much further?” Dawn yawned.

“No, just near the base of the mountain.” Oz said, then he started on another song. As he finished, he noticed that the two Hobbits had fallen asleep on his shoulder. He continued on until nightfall, when he set them down in a clearing. “See ya in the morning. I have a lot to do.” He said, walking back into the forest.

***The Fellowship’s camp in Plains of Rohan***

Angel couldn’t sleep, it was too much to absorb that Giles was back. He sat up, and saw that Giles was standing by the fire looking east. He walked over and stood next to him. He saw what Giles was staring at; the sky in the east was glowing red from the eruptions of Mount Doom far off in Mordor.

“The eastern sky is red, Sauron is growing stronger.” Giles assessed grimly.

“We don’t have a lot of time do we?” Angel asked.

“No, even less then before. Sauron’s Eye still watches from the summit of Barad dur, he watches his empire grow. His armies are growing larger everyday, his power grows with every passing hour.” Giles said, turning to Angel. “But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. The rumor has reached him that the Heir of Riley is alive. He fears you, Angel. He’s afraid of what you could become, what you could accomplish among the human race. He’ll do everything he can to stop the humans from becoming a threat. We’re on the verge of war; Rohan must defend itself. And there is our first problem; Ethan has already begun his assault on Rohan, he’s enslaved the king’s mind and his Orcs and Uruk Hai are attacking anyone they see. Rohan is weak and ready to fall.”

“How do we stop them?” Angel asked.

“I can handle Ethan, you must help King Holtz. He’s become crippled with Ethan’s spells, you must help him become the leader he once was.”

“But, for all their cunning and power we have an advantage. They still do not have the Ring, and the idea that we’d try to destroy it is inconceivable to them. As long as Buffy continues towards Mordor and Mount Doom there’s still hope, we must trust in Buffy now.”

“I still wish I’d gone with her.” Angel said,

“I know, but I guess this was something she had to do alone.” Giles said, thinking of his surrogate daughter.

“She didn’t go alone.” Angel said, shocking Giles. “Spike went with her.”

“He did? Good.” Giles aid, smiling.

“Good?” Angel asked, incredulous. “She’s out there with that little bastard, and you’re fine with it?”

“I don’t like Spike either, but he loves Buffy. If there was anyone I’ve known who’d go to the ends of the earth for her, it’s Spike.”

***The Black Gate***

Buffy and Spike climbed the hill with Gollum, The marshes had vanished, being replaced by a barren wasteland as they got closer to Mordor. They made it to the top of the hill and saw the Black Gate. The enormous gate stretched the width of the gap in the mountains, two giant towers stretched far into the sky on either side.

“The Black Gate of Mordor.” Gollum squealed, cowering behind a rock.

“Oh bloody hell!” Spike said, shocked at the size of the gate.

“Mistress says to show her the way into Mordor, so good Smeagol does. Mistress says so.” Gollum said, glancing at Buffy between his fingers.

“Yeah, I did.” Buffy said, suddenly not liking their chances. “How the hell can we get through that?”

“Don’t look at me, luv.” Spike said. Suddenly they heard a voice shouting and the sound of marching. They looked and saw rank upon rank of Easterling soldiers is marching to the Black Gate.

“More troops comin’, open the gate!” An Orc on the walls called. Another Orc sounded a horn and the gate crew began opening the gate. The crew started driving the Trolls of the gate on their path to pull the gate open.

“They’re openin’ the Gate! We have to find a way down.” Spike said, crawling near the edge of the hill. As he moved to get a closer look, the rock he was on gave way and he went tumbling down the hill.

“Spike!” Buffy called, running down after him. The fall or the yell alerted the Easterlings, the commander sent two scouts over to the hill to investigate. Buffy made it down the hill and found Spike; he was stuck in a hole up to his waist.

“Buffy run, I can handle this!” Spike hissed.

“I don’t think so.” Buffy said, covering the two of them with her Elvish cloak. The magic in the cloak blended into the rocky terrain, when the two Easterlings came over they just thought it was a rock. They turned and rejoined the rest of the troop marching through the Gate, Buffy threw the cloak off and dug Spike out. “Spike, I don’t ask you to come with me this time.”

“I know, but I’m still coming.” Spike said as they prepared to make a run for the Gate.

“Come on!” Buffy said, but as they took a step Gollum pulled them back.

“No! No, no Mistress! They’ll catch you! They’ll catch you! Don’t take it to HIM!” Gollum squealed in fear of remembering his encounter with Sauron. “He wants the precious. Always he’s looking for it! And the precious is wanting to go back to him. But we mustn’t let him have it.”

“We have to get to Mordor, Smeagol.” Buffy said, about to run again.

“No!” Gollum screamed, holding her back. “There’s another way. More secret. A dark way.”

“And you didn’t tell us about this why?!” Spike asked, grabbing Gollum’s arm.

“Because Mistress did not ask!” Gollum replied. “She just asked us to take her to the Gate!”

“You’re saying there’s another way into Mordor?” Buffy asked, seeing the Black Gate close fast.

“Yes.” Gollum nodded. “There’s a path, and some stairs, and then… a tunnel. Orcs don’t know it, but Smeagol does.” Gollum said, as the Gate swung shut.

“I guess we don’t have a choice.” Buffy said.

“Buffy,” Spike whispered, shaking his head. “No! Don’t trust him!”

“You led us this far and kept your promise. Lead the way, Smeagol.”

“Good Smeagol always helps.” Gollum said, scrambling away. Spike wasn’t happy; he knew Buffy felt empathy for this little pest, but he didn’t trust him with Buffy.
The King of the Golden Hall by Wolfram_and_Hart
Author's Notes:
Author’s note: So sorry for the lack of updates. My birthday’s on Thursday the 17th, and reviews are good presents.
Chapter 5: The King of the Golden Hall
Disclaimer: I don’t own LOTR or BTVS.

***Fangorn Forest***
Dawn woke up from a sound sleep, and took in the beautiful sight of the morning sun lighting the forest. She turned and saw Andre sitting next to a little waterfall, drinking from a bowl and with a stone bucket next to him. She stood up and walked around the little clearing. “Hello? Oz? Hey, Andrew, you see where Oz went?”

“Did you hear that?” Dawn asked, hearing a low groaning from somewhere in the woods. “There it is again. Something weird is going on.”

“Oh come on, Dawn.” Andrew said. “Nothing is…” he was cut of as a deep groan like the ones Dawn had just heard erupted from his mouth.

“Andrew!” Dawn said, pointing at him. “You just said something in…Treeish!”

“I did not! I was just stretching!” But the same sound came from him again. But then Dawn noticed another change in him. She looked closely at him, checked up and down and came to a strange conclusion.

“You're taller!” Dawn said incredulously.

“What?” Andrew looked at her like she was nuts.

“You’re taller than me!” Dawn squealed, and raised her hand to show the difference.

“I've always been taller than you.” Andrew said, filling the bucket up with water.

“Andrew, everyone knows I'm the tall one and you're the short one.” Dawn said, putting her hands on her hips.

“Please, Dawn. You're what, three-foot-six, at the most? Whereas me, I'm pushing 3'7".” Andrew suddenly made another treeish sound and seemed to grow. “Make that 3'8"!!!”

“Three-foot-eight?!” Dawn asked, stunned. “You did something!”

Andrew smiled and shrugged. He turned and set the bowl on the rock near the water. Then Dawn realized what happened, the water made him grow! Dawn grabbed the bucket and started gulping down the water. “Dawn don't! Don't drink it! No, Oz said that you shouldn’t have any!”

“I want some!” Dawn said and started running. Andrew chased her around trying to get the water back. They climbed over some big roots trying to get away, but suddenly they heard more treeish sounds and something was grabbing them. They looked around and saw that the tree was wrapping its roots around them.

“What's happening?” Andrew asked, trying to escape.

“AAARRGGHH! It's got my leg!” Dawn yelled, trying to pry the root off of her.

“DAWN!” Andrew screamed as his arms became stuck in the tree. Dead leaves began to envelop them, and the roots kept pulling them down into the ground. The two Hobbits tried to get loose but are disappeared into the tree.

“HELP!” The Hobbits screamed until Oz came back.

“Hey! Let ‘em go!” Oz ordered the tree. The tree released the Hobbits, who shook the leaves off themselves and bolted from the tree. “Come on, the trees are waking up.” Oz said, picking Dawn and Andrew up and setting them on his shoulders. “It’s not safe. They’re getting wild and dangerous. Angry, hostile, hateful. They’ll hurt you if they get the chance. They need more after school activities. There aren’t enough of us left to manage them.”

“Why are there so few of you when you have lived so long? Are there Ent-children?” Andrew asked.

“Nope.” Oz said, sadly. “There haven’t been any Ent kids around since we lost the Entwives.”

“Oh, I'm sorry. How did they die?” Dawn asked.

“Die? Oh no, they didn’t die. We lost them, as in we literally lost them and can’t find them.” Oz said, Dawn and Andrew were stunned to think anyone could lose something as big as an Ent. “You haven’t seen any Entwives in the Shire, have you?”

“Can't say t hat I have. How about you, Dawn?” Andrew asked.

“Well, what do they look like?” Dawn asked.

Oz brow furrowed, he thought for a minute then shrugged. “Uh…I don't remember.”



***Edoras***

Giles, Angel, Willow and Xander rode through the plains of Rohan until they finally reached Edoras, the capital of Rohan. A small city built on a hill, with the palace known as the Golden Hall at the top.

“Edoras and the Golden Hall.” Giles assessed. “Holtz, the King of Rohan, lives here. We must be on guard; Ethan’s hold on Holtz’s mind is very strong, we won’t be welcomed here.”

“I’m not worried, since we started this thing we haven’t got one welcome.” Angel said, looking at the Golden Hall. They rode through the gates and up the hill, taking in the air of despondency and depression of the citizens.

“Jeez, who died?” Xander asked. “These people are broodier than King Forehead here.”

Meanwhile inside the Golden Hall, the King’s niece Fred went to the throne room to deliver some tragic news. Holtz still just sat on the throne, staring blankly into space, unmoving.

“My lord, your son is dead.” Fred said, tears falling for her cousin. “Uncle, aren’t you going to go see him? Are you just gonna sit there?” The king just sat like a statue, his niece crying next to him. She went back to Stephen’s room, and sat by him crying. She kissed his forehead and silently wished Gunn was still there.

“Oh man that sucks.” Came a voice from behind, Fred didn’t have to turn to know it was that rat Warren. “I mean, first his nephew turns renegade and now he loses his son? And I can only imagine how hard this is for you Fred.”

“Leave me alone, you bastard!” Fred said, jumping up to put some distance between herself and Warren.

“But you already are alone. Who else is there for you? I’m all you’ve got left, bitch!” Warren said, a sick grin on his face. “I didn’t mean it like that, babe. You know, you’re a beautiful woman; and I’m a handsome, intelligent, powerful man. Do you see where I’m going with this? We should be together, cause the fact is you need me.”

“I need you…” Fred began, slapping the taste out of Warren’s mouth. “…To shut the hell up!” She stormed out, leaving the loathsome little man rubbing his face. Fred wanted to cry; she knew that Warren was right about her being alone, but she had to be strong for the good of Rohan. She walked outside and looked out over the city of Edoras, her thoughts drifting to her cousin Gunn and her uncle the king. What would happen to them if things remained unchanged? A strong wind blew in and a flag was ripped from the pole and was carried away. It was almost like an omen to Fred’s mind. She suddenly noticed the newcomers riding up to the hall, wondering what they were doing there. She sighed. ‘Probably more of Warren’s guys.’ She went back inside without another thought.

Giles, Willow, Xander and Angel walked up the steps to the Golden Hal, but were stopped by the guards.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t let you inside if you’re armed. Under orders of Warren Wormtongue.” Giles nodded to the others and they surrendered their weapons. But they were stopped again. “I’m sorry, but we’ll need your staff too.

“Oh come on, you wouldn’t take a walking stick from an old man would you?” Xander asked incredulously. The guard seemed satisfied and let them pass, as Giles glared at Xander for that “old man” crack. They entered the main hall and heard the large doors slam behind them. The once strong, bright, and warm Golden Hall of Rohan was now decaying, dark, and cold as Ethan’s grasp on it, the king and the country grew.

“Hail Holtz, King of Rohan.” Giles said as the king came into view. The aged king sat still on this throne, as Warren Wormtongue whispered his “advise”.

“My lord, Giles the Grey is here.” Warren whispered to the mindless ruler.

“I see that courtesy of your home isn’t what it used to be, Your Highness.” Giles said as they continued through the darkened hall. Angel glanced around and saw several thugs were following them.

“He’s trouble, tell him to leave.” Warren whispered to the decrepit king.

“Why… should… I…welcome… you…Giles? Where…you…go…trouble…follows.” Holtz said, looking like he was fighting to stay conscious.

“An excellent point, sire.” Warren said standing up. “Strange how you only show up with bad news. If your just here to stir up trouble, you aren’t welcome.”

“Quiet!” Giles said, raising his staff for all to see. “I haven’t gone through battle, fire and death just to chat with a sad little boy like you.”

“His staff! He has his staff! Why does he have his staff?! I told you to take the wizard’s staff!” Warren yelped. The thugs that had been following the group attacked. Angel, Willow and Xander began fending off Warren’s men, as Giles continued towards Holtz.

“You move,” Xander said, holding his axe inches above Warren’s crotch. “You’ll have even more trouble getting’ a girl.”

“Holtz! Lord of Rohan!” Giles called to the king, bringing a flash of life to the indifferent monarch’s face. “For too long you have sat in the shadows. I release you from this spell.”

“Is that so, Ripper?” Giles looked at Holtz in alarm, as Ethan’s voice came from the king’s mouth. “You don’t have the power to break my spells. You’re nothing compared to the might of Ethan the White!”

“SILENCE!” Giles shouted; his gray cloak fell away and revealed is new white robes. “I am no longer Giles the Grey. I am Giles the White and I will expel you, Ethan, as poison is drawn from a wound.” Giles pointed his staff at the possessed ruler, his magic ripping through Holtz’s body trying to subdue Ethan’s enchantment. Fred came into the main hall that moment and saw this stranger apparently hurting her uncle; she darted forward but was caught by Angel.

“Don’t worry, Giles knows what he’s doing.” Angel whispered to the distressed princess.

“If I go, Holtz dies!” Ethan snarled through Holtz’s body.

“You will not kill him, Ethan.” Giles said, intensifying the mystical onslaught on his former comrade’s enchantments. “You’re power here is ended.”

“No!” Ethan’s voice snarled back. “Rohan is MINE! Nothing can stop the alliance of Isengard and Mordor, and when the time comes, Ripper, you’re going to wish you took me up on my offer!” The king’s body leapt at Giles, but was met with a hard blow from Giles’ staff. Holtz was knocked back into his throne, and over in Isengard, Ethan Rayne was thrown across the room by the force of Giles’ new power. “Bugger, that hurt!”

Holtz moaned and slumped forward in the throne. Fred ran to her uncle’s side as he fell, catching him before he hit the floor. Holtz raised his head again and his face began to change into his normal face. He was free of Ethan’s power, Holtz was himself again.

“Fred, what happened?” Holtz said as his eyes focused. Fred just let out a small sob and threw her arms around her uncle. Holtz let go after a moment and saw Giles.

“Welcome back, my friend.” Giles said, smiling. The hall to began to fill with light again, the rejuvenated king stood up and looked around. The king stretched himself out, flexing his hands. “Your fingers would remember their old strength better... if they grasped your sword.”

A guard ran up with Holtz’s sword, and the king reached for it with trembling hands. He wrapped his fingers around it slowly and drew it, gazing upon the shiny steel, feeling his old strength return. Holtz’s gaze turned to a corner where Xander held a cowering Warren. “Throw that worm out of this hall!”

Several soldiers grabbed Warren from Xander’s clutches, dragged him through the doors, and threw him down the steps of the palace.

“Your Highness, please!” Warren pleaded as Holtz walked down the steps towards him, holding his sword. “All I've ever done is serve you! I’m your friend!”
“You’re no friend of mine! “Holtz said, stalking towards Warren as he tried to crawl away. “You’re a traitor to your king, country, and people! Your manipulation would have had me crawling on all fours like a dog!"

“Please, Sire!” Warren said as he scrambled away. “Don’t make me leave your side!”

“I won’t send you from my side.” Holtz said, raising his sword. “I’m going to cut you to ribbons!”

“No, my lord! No, my lord.” Angel said, holding Holtz back. “Let him go. There’s been enough violence because of him.”

Angel offered Warren a hand, but the little rat just spat at him and ran away.

“Hail, King Holtz!” the people cheered and bowed to their king. Warren rode out of Edoras, knowing Ethan was going to tear him a new one.

“Where is Steven? Where is my son?” Holtz asked, but he was met with a terrible silence.

Later that day, Steven’s body is brought outside Edoras, carried by 6 men of the Rohan Royal Guard. The people of Edoras, the King, Giles and Angel followed them in the funeral procession. Fred, Willow and other women were waiting at the burial site, crying as they brought him into the tomb. Fred sang an old hymn, as they laid him to rest.

As the rest of the mourners left, Holtz still stood by his son’s tomb. He inspected a white flower that grew on the graves. “Simbelmyne. It’s always grown on the tombs of my family.” Holtz said, trying to keep his composure. “Now it shall cover the grave of my son. I wish I did not see these dark days. The young perish, the old linger and the Dark Lord has returned. I’ll live to see the end of all we hold dear.”

“Steven’s death was not your fault.” Giles said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

“No parent should have to bury their child.” Holtz said, as be broke down and wept.

“He was strong in life. His spirit will find its way to the halls of your fathers. "Be-thou well. Go-thou, Steven, go-thou.”

Giles turned to go back to the city and let Holtz to grieve in private. But suddenly a horse appeared on the hill ridden by two children, a boy and girl. Giles walked over to the kids, but as he drew near, the boy suddenly keeled over and fell off the horse. Holtz saw it too, and he and Giles ran to assist the children. Giles gave the boy some water to revive him and Holtz tried to soothe the frightened girl. “We’ll get you back to the city!”
Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit by Wolfram_and_Hart
Chapter 6: Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

Later, inside the Golden Hall, the two children told their story while Fred got them some hot chocolate and some food. The story wasn’t good, their mother sent them away when a gang of Uruk Hai and Wildmen burned their village and they didn’t know if she got out or not.

“Where’s mama?” The girl asked, sobbing. “She said she’d be here.”

“Now the Wildmen are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go.” Fred said hugging the distraught girl.

“This is just the beginning of the terror Ethan Rayne will unleash, and now that he’s driven by fear of Sauron, it will be all the more potent.” Giles said to Holtz. “Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight.”

“You got two thousand men riding north right now. Gunn is loyal to you. He and his men will return and fight for their king.” Angel said.

“By now, they will be three hundred miles away. They won’t be here in time to help us.” Holtz said, pacing the room. “I know what it is that you want of me. But I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war.”

“Whether you’ll risk it or not, this war is already here.” Angel said, heatedly. Xander watched the two kings square off.

“It’s funny, the last time I checked, I was king of Rohan, not you, Angel.” Holtz said, glowering at him. “I have a plan.”

An hour later, the guards read the proclamation. “By order of the king, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm’s Deep. Do not burden yourselves with treasures. Take only what provisions you need.”

The whole city was in a commotion as people packed up and prepared to leave for Helm’s Deep. The four members of the Fellowship walked towards the stables, still frustrated by Holtz’s decision.

“They’re running away when they should stand and fight. Smart move.” Xander said, surveying the city.

“Thank you for your opinion, Xander.” Giles groaned.

“He’s only doing what he thinks is best for his people.” Angel said, holding the door for them. “Helm’s Deep has saved them in the past.”

“That ravine is a dead end, they’re walking into a trap. Holtz thinks he’s leading them to safety, but it will end up as a massacre.” Giles said as they walked to Shadowfax’s stall. “Holtz is a strong leader but he’s in over his head this time. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you all before this is over. The people of Rohan will need you. If Ethan moves against Helm’s Deep, the defenses have to hold.”

“They will, promise.” Willow said, hugging Giles. Giles climbed onto Shadowfax.

“Hopefully, my search will be fruitful.” Giles said. “I’ll be there at dawn in five days, look for me in the East.” With that, Shadowfax galloped out of the barn and out of the city. Giles needed to hurry if he wanted to find Gunn and his troops.

In the Golden Hall, Fred pulled out a sword and began to practice her swordsmanship. She swung the sword at her nonexistent opponent for a few moments, but as she turned she came face to face with Angel, whose own sword had blocked hers mid parry.

“You’re pretty good with a sword.” Angel said, as Fred blushed. Then, quick as lightning she swung the swords and ended with the point of her sword aimed directly at Angel’s neck. “Um, make that very good with a sword.”

“Women learned that people who don’t use swords can still get killed with them, and no girl wants to be the damsel in distress because it just makes you feel so inadequate to have to be saved all the time like your some kind of helpless child all ‘Help save me’ it’s just pathetic, and nobody likes being pathetic, I don’t think there’s any woman in the city who doesn’t know how to fight, though we don’t just go lookin’ for trouble because only bullies and idiots just start fighting for no reason, though I guess just wanting to fight might be considered a reason.” Fred said as she put the sword back in its sheath. Angel just stared at her, not knowing what to say to her somewhat spastic monologue. “Well, I’m not afraid of pain or dying anyway.”

“Then what are you afraid of?” Angel asked.

“Not being able to help.” Fred said, with a far away look in her eyes. “I’m afraid of not being able to save people I care about.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that.” Angel said putting his sword away. “You’re a brave woman, and I know a champion when I see one.” He walked away, not seeing the smitten expression on Fred’s face.

In 15 minutes, the city had emptied and the people had begun their trek to Helm’s Deep. Angel, Willow and Xander rode ahead of the procession near Holtz, Fred and his lieutenants, hoping that this wouldn’t turn into a disastrous move.

Meanwhile, Warren rode into Isengard to tell Ethan the news. He ran into the tower and found Ethan pacing holding an ice pack to his face. “Ripper, you old idiot. Your new piety doesn’t scare me.”

“There were three people who were with Giles.” Warren said as he entered, Ethan whirled to face him. “A Dwarf, an Elf Witch, and a Man.”

“You stink of horse.” Ethan smelling Warren’s robes.

“Yeah, well you smell of ass!” Warren snapped. He regretted it a second later when he was suddenly flew across the room into a wall. “Geez, sorry.”

“Wait.” Ethan said looking at Warren as he stood. “Was the man from Gondor?”

“No, I don’t think so.” Warren said remembering. “I think he was one of the Dunedain Rangers from the North. He dressed like one of them, but he had this weird ring.”

Ethan went to his desk and flipped through a book. He found a page with an illustration of a ring with two snakes with emerald eyes, one biting and the other surrounded by flowers. He took the book to Warren and showed him the picture. “Was this it?”

“Yeah, that’s the one!” Warren said pointing to the book.

“The Ring of Barahir.” Ethan said, dubiously. “So Ripper thinks he’s found Riley’s heir and lost King of Gondor. Bloody idiot, that blood line was broken years ago. It doesn’t make much difference anyway, the world will fall. We’ll begin at Edoras.”

“Uh-uh, Holtz won’t stay in the city.” Warren said “It’s vulnerable there, they’ll expect an attack there. He’ll move everyone to the fortress, Helm’s Deep. It’s a long way to travel, and it’ll be slow. With all the people going.”

Ethan smiled evilly and went out to talk to one of his most vicious Orcs. He walked through the pit until he found Sahjhan observing his vicious Wargs, giant wolf creatures that Orcs could train and ride. “Sahjhan, take your Warg Riders and head for the road to Helm’s Deep.”

“I assume this is your standard ‘Crush, kill, destroy’ mission, right?” Sahjhan asked, Ethan nodded maliciously. “Yes, my favorite kind! Boys, saddle up, we got a job!”

***The Forests of Ithilien***

In a forest, miles from anywhere, two Hobbits walked by a small brook while their guide splashed around trying to catch a fish. Gollum was jumping in and out of the water trying to grab a trout that caught his attention without success. Spike grumbled at the little creep’s high jinks, not seeing why they needed his help to get to Mordor.

“Hey, Fish boy, don’t get too far ahead!” Spike called out, seeing Gollum had gotten much farther down the river than he and Buffy. “Bloody, stupid bugger.”

“Why do you keep doing that?” Buffy asked, glaring at Spike.

“Doing what?” Spike asked, pulling out a cigarette.

“Call him names, insult him, treat him like crap all the time?” Buffy asked, hands on her hips.

“Because he is crap. He might’ve had good in him once, but not anymore.” Spike said, puffing on his cigarette. “I don’t trust him as far I could throw him. He just wants the Ring.”

“You have no idea what it did to him, what it’s still doing to him! He’s been through hundreds of years of torture because of this thing.” She said, pointing to the Ring. “What he must be going through. I want to help him. I want to save him from it.”

“I don’t think you can. And that’s not a dig at you, Buffy.” Spike said, regretfully. “Like you said, the Ring’s been workin’ its mojo on him for centuries. He’s past the point of no return, Luv, there is no coming back from what he is now.”

“What the hell do you know about it?!” Buffy asked, suddenly furious. “Huh, O All Knowing One? Nothing, that’s what!”

“Geez, Pet, sorry.” Spike said, raising his hands in surrender.

“I’m sorry, Spike.” Buffy said, not believing her own words. “I don’t know why I said that.”

“I do.” Spike said, his tone deadly serious. “It’s that buggering Ring. I’ve seen you, sneaking glances at it when you think I’m not looking. You’ve been eating and sleeping less and less, and you’re body can’t spare either. The Rings trying to influence you, Buffy, you gotta fight it.”

“I know what I have to do, Spike!” Buffy said, suddenly angry again. “They trust me with the Ring! It’s my task! Mine!”

Spike looked after her as she stormed off and said under his breath. “Can’t you hear what you sound like? Who you sound like?

Later that night, while Buffy and Spike were sleeping, Gollum was having a heated argument between the two sides of his mind.

“We wants it. We needs it. Must have the precioussss.” Gollum hissed while the two Hobbits slept. “They stole it from us. Sneaky little Hobbitsesss. Wicked, trickssssy, falssse!”

Gollum shuddered as Smeagol, his other personality, spoke. “No! Not Mistress.”

“Yes, precious, false!” replied the Gollum personality. “They will cheat you, hurt you, lie!”

“Mistress is my friend.” Smeagol said, trying to convince Gollum.

“You don’t have any friends! Nobody likes YOU!” Gollum snarled back tauntingly. “Especially womenses!”

“Not listening. I’m not listening.” Smeagol said, covering his ears.

“You’re a liar and a thief! You’re a murderer! She could never like you!”

“Go away.” Smeagol said, starting to cry.

“‘Go away!’ HAHAHAHA!” Gollum laughed cruelly. “She only pretends to like you. She doesn’t like you…Oh, we sees it! You is in love aren’t you, precious? Wake up! Nobody could ever love you!”

“I hate you. I hate you!” Smeagol said, weeping.

“Where would you be without me? Gollum, Gollum!” Gollum snarled, humiliating Smeagol. “I saved us. It was me. We survived because of me!”

“Not anymore.” Smeagol said, his voice resolute in the face of his domineering alter ego.

“What did you say?” Gollum asked, startled that Smeagol stood up to him.

“Mistress looks after us now. We don’t need you.” Smeagol said, his confidence growing.

“What?” Gollum asked, not knowing what to say.

“Leave now and never come back.” Smeagol said quietly, it was an order not a request.

“No!!” the Gollum persona snarled back.

“Leave now and never come back!” Smeagol ordered again, his voice raised.


“Arrgh! NO!” Gollum growled, refusing to back down.

Finally Smeagol squared his shoulders, took a deep breath and said: “LEAVE. NOW. AND. NEVER. EVER. COME. BACK!”

He suddenly couldn’t feel Gollum’s presence anymore. He looked around, but didn’t see him anywhere. He was alone, Gollum was gone. Smeagol grinned for the first time in ages and began to dance. “We... we told him to go away! And away he goes, preciousss. Gone, gone, gone! Smeagol is free!”

The next day, Smeagol went hunting and brought two rabbits back to Buffy and Spike.
“Look! Look! See what Smeagol finds! Hehehe! Hahaha!”

“Thanks , Smeagol.” Buffy said, then looked over to Spike. “Anything you wanna say, Spike?”

“Bloody thanks.” Spike groaned, walking over to get the rabbits. As Spike reached for them, Smeagol grabbed one and snapped its body in half.

“They are young. They are tender. They are nice. Yes they are! Eat them! Eat them!” Smeagol said, taking a bite and ripping at the raw meat, as Buffy and Spike watched disgusted.

“OK, Smeagol, lesson one on how not to act like a crazy bugger.” Spike said grabbing the rabbits. “We do not eat uncooked meat.”

A few minutes later, the rabbits were cooking in a pot of stew is over a fire.

“Argh!!” Smeagol cried in disbelief over what the two Hobbits were doing. “What’s it doing? Stupid white haired Hobbit! It ruins it!

“Real polite.” Spike rolled his eyes. “Too bad we don’t have any bloomin’ onions to go with this.”

“What’s blumin unon, preciousss? What’s blumin unon, eh?” Smeagol asked.

“Bloo...ming un…ions! An onion cut in the shape of a flower, soak it in ice water for an hour so it holds its shape, then you deep-fry it root-side up for about 5 minutes.” Spike said, as Smeagol stuck out his tongue at the idea. “Even you couldn’t say no to that.”

“Oh yes we could! Spoil nice meat! Give it to usss rrraw... and wrrriggling! You keep nasty blumin unon!” Smeagol said disgusted.

“You’re bloody hopeless.” Spike said as Smeagol hopped away.

“You guys hear that?” Buffy asked, looking around.

“Hear what?” Spike asked. Suddenly there was a sound like a bird call, but it didn’t seem like a normal bird would make noise like that. “OK, that I heard.”

“Let’s check it out.” Buffy said, leaving their camp. They walked through he trees, whe suddenly Buffy grabbed Spike and Gollum and pulled the three of them to the ground. “Get down! Look!”

The trio crawled under some bushes and looked out into a clearing at a Haradrim army marching across the land.

“What do you think?” Spike asked as he saw the men march through. “More bad guys?”

“Wicked men. Servants of the Evil One.” Smeagol shuddered. “They are called to Mordor. The Dark One is gathering all armies to him. It won’t be long now. He will soon be ready.”

“Ready to do what?” Spike asked, looking at the ranks of soldiers.

“To make his war. The last war that will cover all the world in shadow.” Smeagol said, backing away.

"We better got out of her before they see us.” Buffy said, when suddenly a loud trumpeting shook the forest.

“Look!” Spike said, as two massive creatures came into view. The things looked like an elephant, but it was bigger, more tusks, longer tusks, meaner looking, each carrying soldiers and supplies on their backs. “Oliphaunts. No one at home will believe this...

“Oh yeah.” Buffy said, stunned by the creatures. She turned and noticed that Smeagol was gone. “Smeagol?”

Before she could call again, chaos broke out below. Arrows shot out of nowhere at the Oliphaunts and Haradrim soldiers, it was an ambush! One of the Oliphaunts got spooked and started trumpeting and stomping around swinging its trunk and tusks. Buffy and Spike jumped up as he Oliphaunt came towards them. The Oliphaunt swerved away before it hit them, but a soldier fell out of the troop carriers on its back and landed stone dead right next to Buffy and Spike.

“We gotta go!” Buffy said, but suddenly a Gondorian Ranger grabbed her by the scruff of the neck.

“Let her go!” Spike yelled, charging at the ranger with his dagger drawn. Suddenly another ranger grabbed Spike, threw him to the ground and held a sword to his throat. “What do you want with a couple of innocent travelers?”

“There are no travelers in this land.” Said the leader of the rangers. “Only servants of the Dark Tower.

“We’re on a secret mission.” Buffy said. “Anyone who isn’t with the enemy shouldn’t stop us.”

“The enemy?” the ranger asked, turning over the body of the dead Haradrim soldier. They looked at the face of the dead soldier, he couldn’t have been older than 18, and certainly not evil looking. “His sense of duty was no less than yours, I suppose. I wonder what his name was, where he came from. If he was really evil at heart, or if lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there in peace. War will make corpses of us all.”

“Captain Wesley, what do we do with these two?” A ranger asked, motioning to the two Hobbits.

“Bind their hands and blindfold them.” Wesley ordered. “We’re taking them back to the base.”
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=7360