Stake Your Claim by spufette
Summary: Buffy Summers is a widow from Tennessee, circa 1881. She travels to the Territory of Wyoming to teach school and encounters various characters on the way... Spuffy, Spuffy, Spuffy, of course. Starts pretty mildly, then gets better, promise.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: Adult Language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 46 Completed: Yes Word count: 115299 Read: 67413 Published: 01/27/2005 Updated: 02/26/2005

1. Prologue & Chapter 1 by spufette

2. Chapter 2 by spufette

3. Chapter 3 by spufette

4. Chapter 3: Part II by spufette

5. Chapter 4 by spufette

6. Chapter 4: Part II by spufette

7. Chapter 5 by spufette

8. Chapter 5: Part II by spufette

9. Chapter 6: 'Let's Make a Deal' by spufette

10. Chapter 6: Part II 'Long Haul Guys' by spufette

11. Chapter 6: Part II 'Long Haul Guys' by spufette

12. Chapter 7: Part I 'Housewarming' by spufette

13. Chapter 7: Part II 'Tea & Testosterone' by spufette

14. Chapter 8: 'Trouble at the School House' by spufette

15. Chapter 8: Part II 'The Whole Package' by spufette

16. Chapter 9: 'Mail From Home' by spufette

17. Chapter 9: Part II 'Family' by spufette

18. Chapter 10: 'Realizations' by spufette

19. Chapter 10: Part II 'Alot to be Thankful For' by spufette

20. Chapter 11: 'It's Hard to be a Female' by spufette

21. Chapter 11: Part II 'Second Chances' by spufette

22. Chapter 12: Part I 'Elizabeth' by spufette

23. Chapter 12: Part II 'I Couldn't Sleep All Night' by spufette

24. Chapter 13: 'Epics and Such' by spufette

25. Chapter 13: Part II 'Dinner Arrangements' by spufette

26. Chapter 14: 'Flight and Fight' by spufette

27. Chapter 14: Part II 'Thoughtless & Selfish' by spufette

28. Chapter 15: 'Angst, Amends and More Angst' by spufette

29. Chapter 15: Part II 'We're Going To Need Alot of Guns!' by spufette

30. Chapter 16: 'Closer to Buffy' by spufette

31. Chapter 16: Part II 'Rescue!' by spufette

32. Chapter 17: 'We Are All So Very Glad' by spufette

33. Chapter 17: Part II 'So Very Good To Me' by spufette

34. Chapter 18: 'Always Yours' by spufette

35. Chapter 18: Part II 'Stay With Me' by spufette

36. Chapter 19: Announcements!' by spufette

37. Chapter 19: Part II 'Best Christmas Ever' by spufette

38. Chapter 20: 'August 20th, 1882' by spufette

39. Chapter 21: '1898' by spufette

40. Chapter 22: '1899' by spufette

41. Chapter 23: '1902' by spufette

42. Chapter 24: '1906' by spufette

43. Chapter 25: '1911' by spufette

44. Chapter 26: '1914' by spufette

45. Chapter 27: '1917' by spufette

46. Chapter 28 & Epilogue: '1939' by spufette

Prologue & Chapter 1 by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Author’s Note: This is a labor of love for me. Although this fiction is written with BTVS/ATS characters, it is based loosely on my own family history and the history of Wyoming. I am very nervous about posting this here, so please give it a read. Thanks, Luv, Spuf




Prologue:

Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Anne Summers (Abrams) is a nineteen-year-old widow, now living back in her parents home in Greenville, Tennessee. Her late husband, who would also have been nineteen, Parker Abrams, had been a child hood friend, his father Parker Sr. is still business partners with Buffy’s father, Hank Summers.

The story starts about a year after Parker has passed away; due to a Diptheria epidemic that swept Greenville County. The year is 1881, and although the South is still reeling from after effects of the Civil War, her parents did alright for themselves and gave the girls, including Buffy’s little sister, Dawn, a good life.

The how and why of ‘Buffy’s’ nickname will be explained in detail within the first few of chapters of this fic and you need to know that Buffy is a credentialed school teacher by this time. Well, that’s about the just of it, so let’s get started.


Chapter 1:


Henry, or Hank Summers as he was more commonly known, was lecturing his eldest daughter, Elizabeth Anne, or ‘Buffy’ as she was more known, in his ‘lecturing’ voice. Actually, he was yelling, loudly, in his ‘shouting’ voice, and at the Sunday supper table, no less.

“No daughter of mine is going to travel a thousand miles up North, no less, to try and teach a bunch of dusty Westerners in some backwoods town! My God, Joyce,” he glanced at his lovely wife apparently looking for some support here, “it’s not even a State! A damn Territory, they still have outlaws running around in those horrible so called ‘bluffs’ of theirs!”

Joyce shot her husband a warning look and said evenly, “Hank, please, your language, and if front of our two girls.”

Buffy just sat, eating her sweet potatoes, concentrating on just how she was going to ‘rebuttal’ her father’s tirade; Hank Summers was a very formidable man, especially for being a simple shop keeper.

Finally, just after the Territory and outlaw remarks, Buffy set her fine silver fork next to her plate, gently and looked up at her glowering father.

“May I say something?” she asked quietly, never breaking contact with her fathers deep brown-eyed glare.

“Go on ahead, Elizabeth,” he nodded curtly, using her given name, which always meant ‘trouble,’ “you’ll speak your mind anyway.” He sat back down in his dining chair at the head of the long oaken table and continued to glare at his rebellious oldest.

“Papa,” Buffy began softly, “using her favorite endearment, and her Father’s, for him, “I know I’m ‘your’ daughter and all, but I’m also a grown woman, a widow and if poor Parker hadn’t passed away, I’d probably be a mother by now. I understand your concern for me, I do, but I just feel that my teaching capabilities would be put to better use in a ‘new’ place like Wyoming. Everything is so ‘set’ here. Out there, the locals want their children, boys and girls alike to be schooled and to learn new things. Here, even still, the locals marry their daughters off, sometimes by fifteen-years of age and before you know it, they’re mothers and housewives, never given an chance to ‘do’ anything else.”

“I’m fifteen and I’m not married off yet!” piped in her little sister Dawn, the family magpie, matter-of-factly. Buffy shot Dawnie a dangerous look, causing the tall, blue-eyed beauty to close her mouth and concentrate on the delicious ham, Cellie the cook had produced.

When Buffy looked back at her father, to continue the debate, she recognized, right away, that she had made a mistake in her choice of words. ‘I should never have mentioned widowhood, motherhood and locals in the same sentences,’ she realized, too late, her stomach sinking.

Hank, still upset of course, but much calmer now, smiled slyly at his lovely oldest daughter. Buffy was such a little thing, only 5’1”, not much more and still had the petitest frame of all the ‘belles’ in the County. She was the only female around for miles who had emerald green eyes, mixed with her honey blond hair and pink lips, even her quick mind; she was the apple of Hank Summer’s eye and the pride of Greenville County.

“Therein lies my point, young lady,” he chuckled smugly.

Buffy felt like was talking to General Sherman just before he marched through Atlanta and burned the city to the ground. Hank had risen, once more, from his chair and began to strut around the dining room like a politician on a soapbox.

“Elizabeth,” he began, calmly enough, “you are a beautiful young woman, prettier and more desirable then any of the other belles in, well, probably the State of Tennessee! It does my heart proud to have such rare beauties for daughters. Dawnie there is going to be a heartbreaker when she comes out next season.”

He paused long enough to grin at his blue-eyed youngest and favor her with a wink. Dawnie grinned back sweetly at her Daddy, but rolled her eyes at Buffy and continued on the sweet ham in front of her.

“Now, as for you, young lady,” he continued, once again staring sternly at Buffy, “you could have your pick of any of the available men in this County, including that new Deputy that the Sheriff just commissioned. What’s his name again, honey?”

Hank finally included his wife in the conversation with a nod and a question, “I’m not sure, dear,” Joyce responded quietly. She then caught Buffy’s eye and slightly shook her head, the young woman knew her mother’s ‘tread carefully’ look from past experiences. However, the truth was, Buffy had already made up her mind about this.

“No matter,” Hank huffed and began to pace again, “the point is, Buffy here could have any husband she wanted, just needs to get over this Wyoming nonsense and settle down again with a nice local man and give us grandchildren!”

Buffy had heard enough and slammed her linen napkin down on her half full plate, “alright Papa,” she shouted, “that’s it! I love you Papa, you know that and I love Mama and even Dawnie there, but I’m not going to sit here and listen to you map out my future for me. Let’s be honest, I may have quit wearing my mourning dress months ago, and yes, there have been some men, young and old that have come sniffing about trying to woo me.”

Buffy was now standing, leaning onto the dining room table with clenched hands, “but Papa, let’s face facts, I’m certainly no ‘belle’ anymore as you call us, actually, I’m ‘used goods’ at this point.”

Hank Summers gasped, Joyce sighed loudly and Dawnie burst out into laughter, almost knocking over her water goblet.

“Elizabeth!” Hank yelped, “there’s no need for crudity at the table, or any time. Maybe you better go upstairs and lie down for a nap, I think perhaps you’re overwrought.”

“No,” Buffy sat back down, defiantly, at the dining room table and folded her slim arms over her chest. This was her ‘defense’ stance as she like to call it, alerting the whole family to the fact that she wasn’t going to back down on this one.

Hank Summers looked to his wife, helplessly, counting on her calm demeanor and wisdom to talk some sense into their oldest daughter. Before Joyce could interject, Buffy mumbled, “last time I heard, they’d freed the slaves in Tennessee.”

Joyce heard it and sighed again, “okay, Buffy, darling, now ‘that’s’ just not fair. You know full well and good that Daddy didn’t come from a family of slave holders. I did, but my own Mother destested the travesty and did her best to try and work around it. When I married Daddy, you know my Mammy came with me, but only because she wanted to, we were devoted to each other.”

Buffy just nodded her head, somewhat ashamed that she’d brought such a painful subject up at this time. “However,” Joyce continued calmly, “I know what you’re saying Buffy and I can’t say I don’t agree with you.”

“Joyce?” Hank gasped, “you can’t possibly mean you’re on board with this cockamamie idea of hers and Rupert Giles, not to mention the whole rag tag bunch of Cheyenne City Council!”

Buffy rolled her eyes again, but looked to her mother, this time for her own support.

“Rupert Giles is a fine man, Hank,” Joyce reminded him, “you did business with him once, years ago when he was still situated in London. In fact, I believe that his second wife, Jennifer is originally from North Carolina, one of the Calendar people.”

Her mother glanced over at Buffy and smiled warmly, “besides, I understand that Wyoming is simply magnificent, open, and full of prospects for a young person.”

Hank just looked from his wife, to his daughter, back to his wife again, puzzled, “yes,” he growled, “open and wild, full of rowdy cowboys and God knows what else. Why Elizabeth might not be safe to even walk through town, escorted!”

Here Dawnie piped up again, “oh I wouldn’t worry too much about Buffy, Daddy,” she giggled, “she’s pretty tough in a clinch!”

Everyone stopped and looked at the younest Summers, “you’re not helping, Dawnie,” her father informed her, rather gruffly.

“Papa,” Buffy interjected, “I’ll be fine, I promise. To be honest, I’ve already accepted the position in Cheyenne and will be going by the end of June. It’s all arranged, the City Council has built the new school house, in fact, they’re building me a little place to live, right next door to it. It’s in the town limits, right by Mayor Ethan Rayne and his family’s home. I’ll be fine Papa, honest, I will. You remember the Chase family, don’t you Mama?” she asked her Mother for reassurance.

“Yes, dear,” her mother confirmed, “they have been in Kentucky for a hundred years or so. Didn’t their oldest daughter, Cordelia marry Mr. Rayne?”

Buffy nodded vigorously, “yes, she’s Mrs. Rayne now and from what I understand, she’s the mother of three young children.” Here, Buffy glanced over at her father, hoping he’d catch the hint that just because Wyoming wasn’t Tennessee, didn’t mean that Buffy would never be a wife or mother, just not for a while. That’s all.

Hank sat back down in his big oaken chair and gazed at his beautiful daughters once again, side-by-side, so different in looks and personalities.

“Well, Buffy,” he sighed in defeat, using her nickname again, “I can’t fight both you and your Mother. So, I guess I’ll have to go with your wishes on this, give my blessings,” he looked looked at her with adoration, “but if anything happens to you out there in that God forsaken place? Well, it’ll just kill me, Buffy.”

Buffy Summers had seen her Father cry only three times in her lifetime. The first time was when the family had to bury Buffy’s stillborn baby brother; the second was when her own young husband, Parker died; this very evening, right at their dining table was the third.


A/N: Okay, that’s the first chapter, such as it is. I’m going to ‘get’ Buffy out to Wyoming as soon as possible. Have her ‘meet’ some of the colorful characters that abound in the Territory. Can you guess who all are out there? More importantly, can you guess who Rupert Giles, gentleman cattle baron and his lovely wife Jennifer have for children? Yup, Drusilla ‘Giles’ Rhys-Smythe; William ‘Spike’ Giles, Liam ‘Angel’ Giles and last but not least, Connor Giles. This could get interesting. Thanks, luv Spuf
Chapter 2 by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 2:


In the end, Buffy had won the battle and apparently, the war with her own Father. Hank Summers was not happy about his oldest daughter’s choice for her future, of course not, but he bowed to her wishes.

Precisely on June 25th of 1881, Rupert Giles, his beloved wife Jennifer ‘Calendar’ Giles and their youngest son Connor Giles, aged fifteen, arrived in Greenville, Tennesse to collect Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers-Abrams and spirit her off to the wilds of Wyoming.

The Giles were the representatives of Cheyenne, Wyoming, the most respectable family in the whole area and known to the Summer’s family from days gone by. As progressive a man that Hank Summers was, for Greenville that is; and as much as Wyoming had been the first place in the United States, Territory or State to allow women the right to vote? Well….Buffy’s Father was still hesitant about ‘allowing’ his darling daughter to move to that Godforsaken place out West.

“Are you sure about this Elizabeth?” he asked time and again, even after the Gile’s family, or at least some of it had arrived to take his daughter away from them. Buffy was more then sure, she was certain.

When Buffy first met Jennifer Giles, she wondered at the ‘look’ that passed between her and her older husband, Rupert.

“Yes,” Jennifer had purred with a smile, “she’s perfect for him,” but she said no more and Buffy didn’t inquire further. She just assumed that both of the Giles meant that she, Buffy was perfect as a school teacher for their rough and tumble Territory.

“Mrs. Abrams,” Jennifer had greeted her warmly. “It’s Ms. Summers, Mrs. Giles,” Buffy had corrected. “I’ve taken my maiden name back. It seemed pointless and confusing to have two Mrs. Abrams in Greenville and of course, I have no children to carry on my late husband’s name. Besides,” Buffy stammred, “my late husband’s Mother, she…..”

Mrs. Giles nodded quickly, “I understand completely. Summers is such a lovely name anyway my dear, more suited to such a fair young woman such as yourself. I want us to be the best of friends!”

Buffy smiled at the older woman warmly, “I’d like that Mrs. Giles,” she responded.

“Please, call me Jennifer, actually Jenny is even better.”

After the introductions had been made, two or three days after the Giles arrival, Buffy and Jennifer wondered through her parents gardens together, admiring her Mother’s flowers and shrubs.

“I was wondering Elizabeth,” Jenny began, “please, call me Buffy,” she corrected the older woman this time. “Buffy, that’s an interesting name. May I ask where it comes from?”

Buffy smiled warmly and motioned Jenny to sit down with her on the wrought iron bench her Mother had chosen for just this spot in the garden.

“It’s kind of an interesting story, Jennifer,” Buffy began, still uncertain about using the woman’s more familiar nick name. “Of course, as a Southern woman yourself, I suppose you would appreciate my nick name’s history?”

Jenny nodded and settled in to listen to her new friend’s story. “My Mother, Joyce was the second child of a loving but strict woman by the name of Elizabeth Hainsworth James. She was the pillar of Southern antebellum, strong, formidable but submissive to her husband, Captain Hollace James. Being the second child in this family, and the second oldest to seven other children, my Mother was loved, yes, but probably a bit neglected as far as Motherly love went. How can a woman, a woman by the way my Christian name of Elizabeth comes from, love and tend to nine boisterous children who came one right after the other?”

Jennifer smiled at Buffy, “I can understand that. I was the only daughter of my parents, actually my brother and I were their only children, but even my Mother found us a bit of a handful.”

Buffy nodded, “anyway, my Mother had a Mammy, of course, like all women of her status did then. She was a wonderful woman, Jenny! Warm, loving, attentive to my Mother, everything Grandma Elizabeth didn’t have time to be. My Mother’s Mammy was named Buffy and that’s who I am nicknamed after. When my Mother married my Father, Mammy Buffy came with her to take care of her, and her future children. Mama and Mammy Buffy were devoted to each other and us.” Jennifer Giles looked intently at Buffy, “what happened to your Mother’s Buffy, dear?” she asked softly.

“She died,” Buffy responded with a sorrowful whisper, “Diptheria.” And she said no more.

Their somber rememberances were broken by the sound of giggling from the rose arbors close by.

“I know boys like you, Connor Giles,” came Dawn Summer’s melodic voice, “you speak poetry and devotion, but……”

Buffy giggled and Jennifer rolled her eyes, “Connor Giles,” she called out firmly, “show yourself young man!” The youngest Giles appeared, head bowed in embarrassment, Dawn Summers close behind. Her head was held high and proud.

“Your son, Mrs. Giles,” Dawn chuckled, “is a poet at heart. He recites Shakespeare. Did you know that?”

Buffy was appalled, “Dawn Lee Summers!” she hissed, “how dare you talk to Mrs. Giles like that?”

Jennifer began to chuckle and it soon turned into delighted laughter, “I’m afraid that my young Connor is entranced by his oldest half brother, William Giles. He’s the real poet, although he’d die of embarrassment if anyone knew that! My Connor is the twin that William never really had, much more so then his full blooded brother Liam, or Angel as we call him. Though,” Mrs. Giles continued, “he’s not much of an angel, really.”

Buffy began to laugh along with the older woman and noticed that Connor shot her little sister a wistful glance. ‘Oh, brother,’ thought Buffy, ‘poor Connor just got hit by a bolt of Dawnie lightning!’

All too soon, it was time for Buffy to leave with her escorts and begin her new life in Wyoming. Hank Summers, right up unto the end tried to convince his Buffy to stay in Tennessee, with them, but she’d made up her mind to go and nothing was going to stop her. They stood at the little Greenville train station, Summers’ family and Giles family, one clan saying goodbye, the other stealing away the pride of the County.

Buffy heard her Mother, pleading, graciously of course, with Jennifer and Rupert Giles to protect her little girl; Hank Summers was oddly silent. Next to Buffy, young Connor was stammering some kind of wish that Dawn was also going with them to Wyoming.

Surprisingly, Buffy’s little Sis, Dawnie pouted longingly, “well, Connor,” she whispered, “I’d like to go sometime to see Buffy and Wyoming, but….”

Buffy stared at Dawn, wistfully, “maybe, when I’m situated, Dawnie,” she murmered, brushing the taller brunette’s hair from her face, “you can come out, for a visit?”

The eldest Summer’s girl thought she heard her Father say something like ‘over my dead body,’ but she chose to ignore it. They finally said their goodbyes and not for the first time, Buffy had to wonder what she had gotten herself into.


As they pulled away from the Greenville Train Station, Jennifer clasped Buffy’s hand in her own, “it’ll be okay, Buffy, I promise. Wyoming is kind of scary, I’ll give it that, but with the right attitude, a pioneer’s spirit and strong outlook, you’ll do just fine.”

Buffy nodded and watched the familiar Greenville scenery pass by and then finally pass out of sight.

“Have I told you about all of the Gile’s clan,” Jenny piped up, glancing at Rupert Giles who had been fairly quiet for a the whole Gile’s visit. He finally looked remotely interested as he nodded warmly at his wife.

“Of course,” Jenny began, spritely, “you know that my husband was married before, sadly his poor wife Olive died, in child birth. The baby fortunately lived, that’s William who has an older sister Drusilla. She’s married to Lord Wesley Smythe-Rhys and they are on an extended visit with us! I know you’ll just love our Drusilla! William of course is his Father’s son, well, kind of anyway. The locals in Cheyenne call him ‘Spike’ which is kind of a long story in itself, one like your own nickname’s tale. But, we’ll let Spike tell you that story, or someone else for that matter. He’s twenty-two and looks a lot like his Father, fair, blue-eyed and very intelligent.”

Buffy thought that Jennifer winked at her husband Rupert, who seemed to wink back at his dark eyed wife, but she passed if off as nervousness. “Our sons together, Connor,” Jenny continued, “and Liam or Angel as we like to call him, are dark haired and brown-eyed. They’re good children, all of them, in their own ways,” Jennifer smiled, “I think you’re going to like them and Cheyenne, dear.”

Buffy tried not to be too overwhelmed by Jenny’s admissions. ‘Wow,’ she thought, ‘a daughter married to an English Lord, a son that everyone calls ‘Spike!’ another one named Angel? And young Connor, who seems to have swept my darling little sister off her feet?’

This was a lot for Buffy Summers to digest in one sitting, good thing it was almost a thousand miles to the Wyoming Territory and all of this excitement!

“Ms. Summers,” Rupert Giles broke into her thoughts politely, “we’ve made arrangements for you to stay at the Mayor’s home, with his wife and three young children for the time being. Of course, we would have loved to have you stay at our ranch, but with three single males. Well, it wouldn’t have been appropriate, for your reputation, of course.”

Buffy smiled warmly at the handsome older gentleman, “of course, Mr. Giles,” she agreed, “my reputation is important and I respect your decision in this matter.”
Chapter 3 by spufette
Chapter 3: Part I


Buffy’s train trip on the refurbished, Union Pacific Railroad had been ‘nice’ if a bit uneventful. Of course, Jennifer Giles was the epitome of Southern grace and charm, obviously sensing that the further Buffy got away from Tennessee and her home, the more apprehensive she became. Mrs. Giles did her best to keep Buffy occupied with conversation and tales of Cheyenne, Wyoming and of course her family.

“Drusilla is the eldest, of course,” Jennifer was prattling on at the moment, “she’s a beautiful woman, with the most lovely brown eyes. William is a couple of years younger then his big Sister, he has the same blue eyes as his Father, but he’s fair haired, his hair is just a tad darker then yours, Buffy dear.”

Buffy nodded nervously, as she had done for the last hundred miles of their trip, ‘what have I gotten myself into,’ she kept asking in her own mind. ‘Maybe Papa was right, I havn’t a clue about this wild place, I could be miserable! Oh, I’m such a dolt!’

Jenny began to talk about her own two sons with Rupert Giles, who at the moment was napping in the seat across from them; poor Connor just stared out at the scenery passing by.

“Our Liam, or Angel as he’s called, is a big old handsome devil, he’s only eighteen-years-old and pretty wild natured. Of course all of Rupert’s boys are a bit untamed, even William, or Spike, he always goes by Spike, but that’s another story.”

That was the second time that Jennifer had referred to William Giles as Spike and again, she avoided any explaination as to his nickname. Again, Buffy nodded at her companion, eyeing Rupert Giles who snored loudly as he slept, wondering how this mild mannered middle aged man could have sired three rowdy, untamed sons? Especially Connor, who sat quietly and just stared outside the train, deep in thought about Buffy’s little Sister ‘Dazzling Dawnie,’ no doubt, who had seemed to knock the young man off of his young feet.

The last couple of days had been uneventful on the train and after the newness of the trip had warn off, well, it was then that Buffy had began to become wary of this whole situation. They were now on the outskirts of the great Nebraska plains and were nearing their Wyoming destination. It would not be long now until Buffy realized her dream to come to the great Wyoming Territory, land of the untamed West, full of famous historical characters and the great Cheyenne Tribes. However, sadly, she was more concerned at this point with the sense of dread that overcame her every few hours or so.

‘The most exciting thing that’s happened so far,’ she thought ruefully, ‘is that Jenny has alluded to this William like he’s some kind of English Fairytale Giant or something. I’m beginning to wonder just exactly why and for whom I’ve been dragged out here!’

Before she could ponder on this thought any longer, the Train came to an abrupt and unscheduled stop, in the middle of nowhere. Buffy and Jenny were almost thrown from their seat and Rupert woke up abruptly, dazed and confused. Young Connor bobbed around in his seat, anxious to find out what was going on.

“Heaven help us all!” some voice from behind them shouted in dismay, “Train robbers!” Buffy heard the sound of gun shots, not distantly, but not inside the train either.

“Do you think it’s the Hole in the Wall Gang, Dad?” Connor asked excitedly, barely able to stay put in his seat.

“Son,” his Father admonished, glancing nervously at his Wife and her young charge, “best to just keep quiet. Say nothing and be still.” Rupert was telling them ‘all’ this, Buffy realized and she had no intention of going against him on this one.

“They’re probably just after the payroll money in the mail car anyway. Chances are, we won’t even have to see them in our car,” he finished with a mumble, just as three masked men kicked open the door to their Train car and began to saunter down the aisle in their direction. ‘So much for just the payroll in the mail car,’ Buffy thought nervously, keeping her green eyes pinned on Connor and Rupert Giles. Poor Connor was anxiously staring at his Mother, apparently embarrassed by his sudden fear at the turn of events, while his Father kept glancing at the nearing outlaws and then glancing at the two women in his care. The look in the older man’s blue eyes was anything but comforting.

“Well, well, well,” the tallest masked man chuckled as all three of them reached the Gile’s party’s seats. “Who’s this pretty little thing?” he continued, blocking any escape from the seat for all of them.

Buffy just continued to focus on Mr. Giles, but her heart pounded in her chest. She was sure that these three scoundrels could hear her fear, much like they must have sensed all the other passengers fright. “Excuse me, Maam,” Buffy heard one of the other outlaws say to Jennifer Giles, “but I’d like the ring on your finger, please.” ‘So polite for a scoundrel,’ Buffy thought as Mr. Giles nodded at his wife to do as the man had requested. Jenny slipped the wedding band from her finger and handed it reluctantly to the rather large masked man. “I’ll take that pretty golden locket from you, too, Miss,” came the first masked man’s deep voice, “just slip it off your lovely neck and we’ll be on our way.” Buffy broke her gaze from Jenny and glared at the huge man staring down at her, she just knew he smirked behind that mask.

“No!” she hissed defiantly, feeling a lot braver then she really was.

All three of the masked men began to laugh loudly, “no?” the first bandit asked with a chuckle. “You’re pretty brave for a little thing, ain’t you, girlie?” he finished, leaning over Jenny to stare into Buffy’s green eyes. She could see his dark brown eyes under the mask and wondered why they ‘seemed’ so kind, when this monster was obviously a vicious evil man.

“It’s mine!” Buffy hissed haughtily, “I’m not giving it to the likes of you, you coward!” She felt vindicated, at least, to have stated the obvious. Any man who had to hide behind a mask should…..

“Coward?” her antagonizer asked, good naturedly, “I’m not a coward Missy, just careful.” All three men laughed again.

“Tell you what, Miss,” the outlaw said calmly, “I’ll make you a deal. You give me some other kind of spun gold you have, I’ll let you keep your trinket and I’ll make my friend give your Mother back her ring. How’s that?”

Buffy felt a tremble of fear shoot up her spine as she glanced at Jenny, “what other spun gold?” she asked the man before her.

“A lock of your hair, little one,” he responded evenly. “I’ll take a lock of your golden hair instead of the locket and ring. I think that’s fair, don’t you?” The man who had relieved Jenny of her wedding ring began to protest.

“No, friend,” the obviously head man cut him off, “if the little lady here will give me a small lock of hair, the Mother gets back her ring, period.”

Buffy pondered the man’s offer for about a second before nodding her head slowly. “Buffy,” Rupert gasped, “you certainly can’t….”

“No, Mr. Giles, I will do it. My hair can grow back, but your wife’s ring and my locket can’t be replaced.”

While the Gile’s family looked on, Buffy reached out her tiny right hand, palm up, “you have a knife I assume?” she demanded of this man. He nodded and reached in his pocket, handing Buffy a long open knife to cut her hair with. “I’ll do it myself,” she nodded with determination, “but give Mrs. Giles her ring back first.” She looked at the man holding Jennifer’s ring and he complied immediately. Buffy reached up and let her golden locks loose from their proper bun, then slowly cut off just about an inch and a half off of the end. Reluctantly, she handed the pushy masked man the hair and his knife, then looked over at Connor, who wore a mixed expression of respect for her and some fear.

Buffy just knew the man must have smiled smugly behind that mask as he took her lock and tucked it into his vest pocket. “Thank you Miss,” he chuckled, saluting her with his right, empty hand. Pointing to the Train car door with his hand that held the gun, he motioned for his partners to leave immediately.

“Maybe I’ll be seeing you again soon, little one,” he called back to Buffy as he followed the other two men out of the compartment.

“Wow!” Connor finally exclaimed when the outlaws had departed and the Train started up again, “that was really amazing, Miss Summers!” Buffy just sat and stared at her small clasped hands for a few minutes while Rupert and Jenny hugged and chattered anxiously. “Buffy that really was a brave thing,” Jenny sighed, now hugging her closely. “Yes it was Ms. Summers,” Rupert added, “I’m so sorry about your lovely hair, I shouldn’t have let that happen.” The older man seemed ashamed at his weakness, but Buffy quickly assured him and the others, “better a lock of hair then one of us getting hurt. Like I said, my hair, especially that little bit, will grow back quickly.”

After the excitement of the robbery, the next few miles to Cheyenne seemed like nothing, but Buffy couldn’t stop her heart from pounding for at least the next four or five hours. When the Union Pacific pulled into the Cheyenne train station, the local Sheriff, half of the City Council and a rather imposing young man awaited the train and especially the Gile’s party. A dark haired, tall young man hurried up to meet Rupert and Jennifer as they stepped off the train, “damn, Dad!” he shouted, “we already heard about the robbery! I’m Angel Giles,” he nodded at Buffy, stopping to take a second glance and throw her a charming smile.

Buffy smiled at the young man, who was quite handsome in a rugged sort of way. He had the kindest chocolate brown eyes and Buffy saw the physical resemblence between Connor and him, even their Mother.

“Wow!” came a distinctive British accent from behind Buffy and she turned to look at the body this deep voice came from. “Who knew the new Teacher would look like a bloody Angel!” Buffy found herself staring into the most startling blue eyes she had ever seen.


A/N: Okay, so obviously, the Train Robber (#1) that is, is not Spike, the brown eyes are the give a way. It’s not Angel either, he’s not the monster that he is in my other fics! Please read and review. I’m labouring on this fic, big time and in the next few chapters we’ll experience the animosity and ‘hot chemistry’ that is Spuffy! Thanks, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 3: Part II by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 3: Part II




William ‘Spike’ Giles was a fairly logical man, at least for the most part that is. He was hardened by the the life his Father had brought him to when he was fourteen years of age, but he’d taken to this wild place immediately and left his memories of England, his birthplace behind, permenantly.

However, right now, staring into the most brilliant green eyes he’d ever seen, why did he feel like such an unhardened romantic/poetic ponce? ‘They never told me she looked like this,’ he reasoned about his Father and Stepmother, ‘I didn’t know she was an Angel on earth.’

There, he’d done it again, used the word ‘Angel’ for this intoxicating little creature in front of him. Oh, sure, his Dad, Rupert and Stepmum, Jennifer had told all of their family that little Miss Elizabeth Summers-Abrams was small of frame, quick of mind and was a young widow, but they hadn’t said a word about how beautiful she was.

‘Her eyes are like emeralds, her hair is like spun gold; such a little thing; but she shines like the sun. Christ!’ he muttered, ‘I sound like a bloody poetic ponce!’ ‘Hmmmm, wonder what what she looks like under that prim, proper little grey number?’ He couldn’t help himself, he looked her up and down with what he hoped was a dazzling smile.

It had taken precisely five to ten minutes, after the train had arrived for his Father, Jenny, young Connor and Miss Elizabeth Summers to descend from their car. In that time, Spike had grabbed his family’s luggage, talked briefly to young Daniel Osbourne, the Station Master and made his way to meet the school Marm, Miss Summers that is.

All’s the time that had passed had been five, maybe ten minutes, but that’s all that was necessary for him, Spike Giles, the biggest baddest bad ass in Cheyenne to catch a glimpse of ‘her’ Elizabeth Summers-Abrams. In that short time, he’d been struck by lightning, hit by thunder and well, shot through his heart with Cupid’s arrow. Something that had never, ever happened to him in his entire twenty-two years on earth. And, she hadn’t even said a word to him.

‘Great,’ he muttered to himself, ‘all the towns in the United States and this little porcelain doll has to wander into mine! A woman like this, this school teacher from down South had swept into into town, turned his world upside down without a word, in less time it took for him to drink a pint of beer.

‘Bloody hell,’ he hissed, eyeing the little widow up and down again, ‘a woman like this is more dangerous then a fucking Colt 45 or a Winchester.’


Buffy just stared into the indigo blue eyes that met hers, ‘gosh,’ she sighed inwardly, ‘I’ve never seen such blue eyes before.’ She was acutely aware that this fair-haired, blue eyes British man was eyeing her up and down like he might know just what she looked like underneath her prim and proper little grey traveling suit. A warm flush shot through her and she just knew she was blushing like virgin bride under his appreciative stare. This did not make Buffy Summers very comfortable, in fact, it made her somewhat nervous and shy.

“Uhm,” Buffy stammered, suddenly shy, even for her, “I’m Elizabeth Summers, Buffy actually. May I ask who you are sir?”

This handsome man smiled at her, okay, make that he ‘smirked’ at her, kind of, and set some luggage down in front of himself. “I’m William Giles,” he said, that deep voice of his, the accent, well, Buffy thought she might swoon from them. And, Buffy Summers never, ever swooned, period.

“Oh,” she responded softly, biting her lower lip, “I see. I thought, well, I guess, maybe I thought.”

William grinned at her, “thought what luv?” he asked silkily.

‘Luv!’ she gasped silently, ‘luv? No one calls me luv and lives to tell it.’ Buffy blushed again.

This little Elizabeth (didn’t his Stepmum say they called her Buffy?) blushed again, a wonderful sight for him. ‘Gonna’ make her blush every chance I get,’ he decided right then, ‘she’s just too damn ‘dear’ when she does. I love it!’ He smiled his most dazzling smile and tried to hear the question she repeated to him.

“Exactly, Mr. William Giles,” Buffy began, a little haughtily he thought, “what ‘did’ you expect? I mean, of me?”

The little school Marm was definitely on the defensive by this time and before he even thought it out, Spike blurted, “I guess I expected a spinster-like sour looking widow. You know the type; sobs over nothing, looks like she has the weight of the world on her shoulders, wears mourning black for the rest of her days. You know, that type!”

He chuckled when he finished his description of what he thought she should look like, hoping to get a rise out of this tasty little morsel. He got a rise out of her alright, but not the one he expected.

“Oh, well,” she started all brave and such, standing up to her all of 5’1” or so, “I guess you’re not what ‘I’ expected either, Mr. Giles!”

Spike grinned again, leaning in close as he thought would be appropriate, “and what was that, Ms. Abrams?”

She shot him what she probably thought was a match for one of his patent smirks, “first off,” she said, batting her golden lashes, “my name is Miss Elizabeth Summers, Buffy to my friends, but you can call me ‘Miss Summers.’ Secondly, I ‘thought’ by all descriptions that you, Mr. William Giles would be, well, uhm, a little ‘bigger’ in stature that is.”

He burst out laughing, apparently infuriating her even more. “Well, I am bigger,” he steadied his voice, his merry eyes meeting her eyes again, “where it counts that is.”

Buffy gasped, audibly, at this uncalled for, odious, overbearing and totally scandulous retort by this equally odious man before her.

‘I can’t believe he said that to me,’ she thought, shocked beyond words and understanding exactly what he’d meant by them. ‘How dare he!’ she was thrown completely for a loss and she just knew she was blushing profusely.

She finally opened her mouth to respond, put him in his nasty little place when Jennifer and Rupert Giles seemed to appear out of nowhere, “we’re ready to go the Rayne’s Miss Summers,” the older man stated, eyeing his oldest son warily.

“Perhaps you should take Connor and Angel, along with our luggage back home, William,” his Father suggested.

William Giles nodded at his Father and Stepmother, then at Buffy, “pleasure to meet you ‘Miss Buffy’ Summers,” he chuckled and turned to gather up his younger brothers.

All Spike got for his trouble was a ‘hmmphh!’ from the little angel and the view of her turned back as she walked away from him. Spike stood staring after her, grinning like a fool when his younger brothers, Angel and Connor finally came up to join him.

“Heard what you said big brother,” Angel chuckled wickedly, “you are real smooth, aren’t you? I think ‘I’ have a better chance with her, now, then you do, huh?”

Angel began to laugh riotously while young Connor just blushed and glanced around nervously, making sure other people couldn’t hear their conversation.

Spike stopped grinning like an idiot and shot Angel a murderous look, “forget it, little brother,” he growled through gritted teeth. “If you even look at our Miss Summers sideways I’ll rip your throat out and shove it up your….”

Connor piped up, “I’m tired and hungry, Spike,” he looked at his oldest brother with a worshipful expression, “can we just go home now?” The oldest Gile’s boy smiled benevolently at Connor, he adored his baby brother and felt the need to protect him at all costs.

“Yeah, we can get home, Conn,” he said evenly, then glared at Angel again. “Just as long as Angel boy here gets the point. Miss Summers is off limits to you, Ang, got it? You and every other moron in this town. I just staked a claim on our new school teacher and I expect every male in the Territory to respect it. Miss Summers is exclusively mine and don’t be surprised if she’s Mrs. Giles before too long! Mrs. William Giles, that is!”

Spike was dead serious about this and he could tell that both Angel and Connor had realized it. Angel just rolled his stupid eyes, but Connor smiled back at his adored oldest brother.

“I gotta’ tell you guys,” the youngest Gile’s male began excitedly, as he followed his hero, Spike, to the wagon, “you gotta’ hear what Miss Summers did on the train; how she saved Mother’s wedding ring and everything!”
Chapter 4 by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 4: Part I


Buffy sat at the Rayne’s Sunday supper table, listening politely as Mayor Ethan Rayne discussed the news of the day. She had been in Cheyenne for less then a week now and was already impatient to move into the unfinished little cottage that the town council members were having built for her. It wasn’t that she didn’t like the Raynes, all of them, she especially enjoyed Cordelia Rayne’s company, and of course being a school teacher, she adored children.

However, Buffy had hoped to move into her own place as soon as possible. The little cottage would be right next door from the Raynes, on the other side for the school house that sat just outside of town. With less then a quarter of a mile between the Rayne’s and the school house, Buffy was more then secure she would adapt to her new home just fine. Mayor Rayne was an enlightened man, Buffy had to give him that. He discussed everything from world events to local politics with his wife, Cordelia, Buffy, his guest, in front of his three boisterous children and other supper guests and family members who happened to be about the place.

This late Sunday afternoon, Daniel Osbourne and his young wife Willow had joined them all for supper. Daniel was the station master and his bride of less then a year was already carrying their first child.

‘I wonder why I didn’t get pregnant with Parker’s baby right off?’ Buffy wondered for the umpteenth time in the last two years. Parker had been a considerate husband, not too pushy in the ways of marital relations, but still, Buffy always ‘thought’ that at least one of their few encounters would have produced a child? She realized, on their wedding night, that she was actually more knowledgeable in the ways of marriage relations then her young Parker had been.

This, Buffy attributed to her huge amounts of reading, especially forbidden romance novels that she devoured just months before her wedding to Parker. Buffy had more or less studied the more scandulous literature of the time, trying to learn what a husband wanted from a wife. However, in the end, she found that Parker really didn’t expect ‘that much’ only to get his release and get Buffy pregnant as soon as possible with an heir.

Unfortunately, there was no baby and for some reason Buffy had always felt cheated in the marital bed respect, and perhaps a little less then suitable for Parker. Shaking off her memories, pleasant or unpleasant as they might be, she actually began to listen to what Cordelia Rayne was saying to the Osbournes.

“Of course,” Mrs. Rayne was prattling on, she was good at that, but Buffy instantly enjoyed the female conversations she had with Cordelia. “I’m not exptecting our Buffy here to remain single for long,” Mrs. Rayne was speaking to Daniel and Willow but smiling at Buffy.

“Cordelia for heaven’s sake,” her husband, Ethan interjected, “I don’t think Miss Summers appreciates….”

Willow Osbourne blushed and giggled, an odd sight with her hue of red hair, but Cordelia’s comment actually caused Daniel to find his voice.

“There’s certainly no question in my mind that Miss Summers will be courted by many a fine local man, but of course, I think my good friend Spike Giles is the man for her.”

Buffy began to get a bit flustered, ‘they’re talking about me, just like I’m not here,’ she thought. “Cordelia, Mr. Osbourne,” she broke in, “I appreciate your interest in my future as a wife and such, but truly, I came here to teach school, not find a new husband.”

Buffy blushed bright red when Cordelia interjected with a chuckle, “Buffy,” she began sounding much like a loving mother would with a child, “you don’t understand. It’s not so much that you are going to ‘find’ a husband; one will ‘find’ you. Do you know how many single men, young, old and in between are in this territory? A young, lovely woman such as yourself, smart and most importantly, single. Well,” Cordelia was smiling and shaking her head, “you might just as well come to grips with the fact that there’s probably going to be a all out range war over you. And, I have a feeling that Spike Giles will be the one leading it.”

Buffy shivered in disgust, “Spike or whatever his name is. And by the way, how did that odious egotistical male get such a nickname?” Yes, Buffy shivered in disgust, that mixed with a bit of excitement at the thought of that awful, horrendous, crude, handsome, indigo eyed Spike Giles.

Cordelia laughed and glanced at the shocked Daniel and Willow Osbourne, “apparently, our Buffy has already had a first round with Spike Giles. Right now, I’m thinking it came out a ‘draw’ but you never know. I have a feeling Spike will win this ‘match’ in the end.”

Willow blushed again and nodded at her husband, “Daniel would be able to answere the question about William Gile’s nickname as good as any, Buffy,” she said shyly, “he was there at the time. You know, when he earned it.”

Daniel smiled at his wife but directed his conversation at Buffy, “I’d be glad to tell the story, Miss Summers,” he assured her, “but I’m thinking it’s not the proper discussion for the young ones.”

The short red-headed man, shorter then his own wife, Willow, nodded at the three Rayne children who sat quietly, suddenly more then interested in this turn of conversation at Sunday supper. Ethan took things in hand, “children, run upstairs and wash up then play in your rooms. The adults need to discuss some things."”

As if on cue, young Ethan Jr., who was seven clasped his little sister, Alise’s hand, she was five, who in turn clasped young Samual’s little three-year-old hand and led them up to the bedrooms on the second floor.

Mayor Rayne stood and rushed into the parlour where he returned from with a nice carafe of brandy and five good sized glasses.

“You do imbibe, Miss Summers, for special occasions?” Buffy indeed imbibed, wine, brandy and sherry, for special occasions and something told her that this just might be one. Nodding and giving Mr. Rayne a benovolent smile, Buffy accepted his offer of a taste of good brandy, as did everyone but Willow.

“Can’t drink anything stronger then tea,” Willow said somewhat sadly, “makes me sick.”

Cordelia took her brandy glass and smiled lovingly at Ethan, making Buffy wonder just how these two got together in the first place. ‘Bet if I ask Cordelia, she’ll tell me the whole Ethan/Cordelia story,’ Buffy reasoned, but right now, she wanted to hear about William ‘Spike’ Giles, for whatever morbid reason.

“So, Mr. Osbourne,” Buffy smiled at Daniel, “do tell me the story of William ‘Spike’ Giles, I’d love to hear it. Though for the life of me, I don’t know why!”

Everyone at the table chuckled at this, causing Buffy to blush bright red, “I mean,” she stammered, “I’m sure there’s some redeeming qualities to the man.” Buffy close her mouth tightly and just looked at her brandy glass.

“Well, Miss Summers,” Daniel began, “I’ll be glad to tell you some things about my good friend Spike, but only if you will call me Daniel, not Mr. Osbourne. Makes me feel a hundred!”

He grinned at Buffy with a twinkle in his eye and Buffy finally smiled again and nodded, “okay, but only if you call me Buffy.”

Daniel smiled broadly, “okay,” he chuckled, “but Mr. And Mrs. Rayne are going to have to jump in and maybe add some details. They were here when all this took place too.”

Willow whispered to Buffy shyly, “I hadn’t gotten here yet,” she explained, “I came along later and missed all the fun!”

Daniel took his wife’s slim hand and kissed it tenderly, “yes, but you brought your own fun, darling,” he murmered softly. Willow blushed again, profusely and giggled, signaling for her husband to begin his tale.

“Well, let’s see,” began Daniel Osbourne, scratching his auburn head lightly, “I guess it’s best to start at the beginning with the whole William/Spike Giles thing. In fact, best to start way back, maybe when the catalyst of the whole set of events began. William, or Spike as he is now and I think it suits him best, is one of my best friends, Miss, I mean Buffy. I’m twenty-seven, that would make Spike about twenty-two I guess, but that’s not really important. What’s important is this, Spike was brought out here at about fourteen years of age, his older sister Drusilla had already married, back in England.”

Here Daniel looked over at Ethan who just smiled back at him, “as you know,” Daniel continued, “Ethan is my Mother’s younger brother. I was orphaned at a fairly young age and was living here by the time Spike showed up, with my Uncle. He was such a fragile young man, wasn’t he Aunt Cordelia?”

Cordelia chuckled and nodded, sipping her brandy and eyeing Buffy, who was already entranced by the whole William/Spike drama. “But soon,” Daniel continued, rubbing his wife’s hand with his fingers, “young William Giles seemed to adapt to this Country and Territory, even becoming quite a ranch man at an early age.”

Cordelia piped up with excitement, “tell Buffy about the Gile’s legacy, the Jenny/Rupert saga! It’s so wonderful and romantic, all about passion and such!”

Daniel blushed this time, “I’m thinking that you should tell this part Aunt Cordelia,” he nodded at her, “or maybe Uncle Ethan, he was here then.” Everyone at the table looked at the Mayor settling the matter, he would start this part of the story.

“Gosh,” began Ethan, “seems like forever ago. I was in my twenties then, single, lonely and miserable.” Mayor Rayne smiled lovingly at his wife then continued, “Rupert Giles had just come from England. Wanted to expand his cattle ranch to the ‘Colonies’ as he called them then. I’m sure when he arrived here in Wyoming he thought we were all a bit barbaric and uncouth. Then,” here Ethan chuckled and took his own wife’s hand, “then he met young Jennifer Calendar. She was only about seventeen or so, beautiful,” Cordelia pouted and her husband kissed her hand, “not so much as you dear,” he whispered to her, loud enough for everyone to hear.

“Rupert fell like a rock over the girl, but she ‘was’ kind of spoken for by Quentin Travers. A brash, rude man, but a friend of Jennifer’s father from the old days.”

Buffy shivered again, something told her that this was not going to end of the good, someone was going to get ‘hurt’ over this.

Mayor Travers frowned in remembrance, “Jennifer preferred Rupert, to put it simply and to the anger of Quentin Travers and the delight of every gossip for a hundred miles, they eloped. Rupert and Jennifer that is, immediately and right under her father’s nose. Of course, old man Liam Calendar forgave and forgot when he saw how happy his beloved only child was, but Quentin wasn’t so amicable. He was livid and rode off to join his younger sister and her wild brood out at the Webster homestead, only coming to town once in a while to get drunk, see a girl at Maggie’s or start a fight.”

Cordelia gasped, “Ethan!” she seemed mortified, “you shouldn’t be mentioning Maggie’s here, in front of Buffy, our guests!”

Buffy had to laugh at this, “Cordelia,” she reached over and patted her hostess’s hand, “I know all about Maggie’s and while I’m not in favour of a saloon/brothel, I have to say that I understand it. I mean, let’s be honest, out here, not a lot of single women? Maggie’s serves it’s purpose, I’m sure.”

Then she dropped it when Willow shot Daniel a dangerous look, followed by a warm smile. The red-headed wife knew her man, Buffy surmised; Willow did not fear Maggie’s Place, she had no need to. Neither did Cordelia.

“Anyway,” Ethan continued, changing the subject quickly, “years passed, Rupert and Jennifer welcomed Liam or Angel as they call him, though God knows why.”

Cordelia gasped again, “Ethan Rayne, have you had too much brandy?” Her husband grinned happily, “no, Cordy,” he responded bravely, “I haven’t, but I’ll try to imbibe a lot more, if you want?” Mrs. Rayne blushed and nodded for him to continue.

“Then, of course young Connor came along and finally when Spike was about fourteen, Rupert sent for him. I don’t know why he chose to wait as long as he did to send for his and Olive’s son, but I believe it had something to do with him wanting young William to have a good, solid British education. Anyway, I think William, he was still William then, had been here about four years or so, was about eighteen. I think this is where Daniel should jump in and finish the story,” Ethan now nodded at Mr. Osbourne.

“We were all at the Silver Spur Saloon,” Daniel took up the tale with enthusiasm, “Spike, or William that is, Xander Harris, he’s the best ranch hand the Giles have and myself. Of course this was a while before you came to town, Willow my dear,” he grinned at his lovely wife tenderly. “We were having a beer, it was hot that day. Hot for the Territory that is and William was drinking us all under the table, as usual. Xander’s Anya hadn’t come to town yet,” Cordy sighed and caught Buffy’s attention.

“Anya ‘was’ a working girl at Maggie’s, at least until about what, six months ago? Xander Harris went gaga over her right from the start and finally ‘convinced’ her to give up the life and marry him. They ran off to Hot Springs in Colorado, married and from what I understand she’s already pregnant with a child, right Willow?”

The red head blushed again, “yes Cordelia,” she confirmed, “and before anyone asks, it ‘is’ a child of their marriage.” Buffy had to admire Willow, under the shy retiring prudish exterior, Willow Osbourne had a center of steel, tempered with compassion.


“Go ahead, Daniel,” Cordelia handed the story back to him, seemingly ashamed of herself for her outburst about the ex-saloon girl and her adoring husband.

“Well, anyway, like I said,” Daniel went on, “William Giles, Xander and myself, we were having some beer at the Silver Spur. Suddenly, Quentin Travers stumbled in, drunk and stupid, as usual and headed straight for our little group. No one in town had seen the old sot in ages, but William knew exactly who he was and turned his back on him, guess Spike knew he was trouble right off. Quentin tapped him, William, on the back and called him some filthy name. I won’t repeat it in front of my wife or any of you ladies, but it was awful. Then, to make it worse, he, Quentin, insulted Rupert, Jennifer Giles and the two youngest Gile’s boys. Well, by this time, William was livid, but being Spike, I mean William, he bode his time, kept his tongue. And believe me Buffy,” Daniel winked at her, “that’s a hard thing for William Giles to do, bide his time or bite his tongue.”

Buffy could appreciate this statement and she waited with baited breath for Daniel to continue.

“William turned to the drunkard and told him to take his dog and pony show elsewhere and he, Giles, would overlook his bloody stupid mouth. Quentin actually spit at William then stumbled back out onto the street. Of course, we all thought that was the end of it and went back to our beer.

Later, William and Xander walked with me to the train station window. Seems the Giles had some business there and while William went about it, Xander and I talked in my office. It was Xander that saw Quentin Travers first, sneaking up on William from behind. He called to William, alerting him to beware.

When William Giles turned to face Quentin Travers, he saw the knife in the old idiot’s hand and instinctively grabbed the first weapon he could find. It was an old railroad spike that lay by the tracks where William stood. Without a thought, William flung the spike at Travers, hitting him right in his heart and killing him instantly.”

Everyone got suddenly quiet at the table, even Buffy who felt lightheaded for a minute.

“William Giles murdered a man?” Buffy asked in shock. “No, Buffy,” Daniel shook his head, “William/Spike Giles killed a man in self defense and for some bizarre reason, the nickname ‘Spike’ just seemed to stick.”

Buffy had to sit quietly and digest this bit of information for a while; the rest of the table just seemed to blend into the background.

“Buffy,” Cordelia broke into her thoughts, “I have to say something and you can accept this or not but. Okay,” the elder woman continued, “if it wasn’t for men like Rupert, William and even Angel Giles; my Ethan, Daniel over there and Xander Harris; and numerous other men, young/old and in between? Buffy if it wasn’t for men like these, the women of this Territory, not to mention the town of Cheyenne, would not be able to walk safely down the streets without an armed posse or other escort. Do you understand what I’m saying, Buffy?”

Buffy nodded numbly, still stunned by William’s dubious nickname and the town that proudly gave it to him.

A soft knock came at the Rayne’s front door and Ethan hurried to answere it.

“It’s young Connor Giles,” the household head chortled good-naturedly. “Come in Connor,” Cordelia gushed, glancing at Buffy nervously, “have some apple pie, made it myself and some coffee.”

Connor blushed, embarrassed by being the momentary center of attention. “I came to see that Miss Summers is settling in well, Maam,” he stammered to Cordelia and smiled at Buffy.

“Hello, Daniel, Mrs. Osbourne,” he tipped his hat at the couple. “My Mother and Dad asked that I checked on Miss Summers and assure her that her home should be ready any day.”

Buffy stood up and greeted Connor warmly. “May I speak to you privately, Miss Summers,” Connor asked nervously, his voice cracked a bit.

“Of course, Connor,” Buffy assured him, leading the young man out to the parlour.

“I’ve a letter for you Miss Summers,” Connor seemed quite nervous by this time, “it’s from my brother, Spike. He’d have brought it himself, but….”

Buffy nodded and somewhat reluctantly took the piece of folded paper that Connor Gile’s offered.

“I’m supposed to stay and make sure you read the letter, Miss Summers,” Connor stuttered, again blushing profusely, “Spike’ll skin me alive if I don’t make sure you read it. Of course I’ll turn my back, to give you privacey, Maam,” young Connor looked like he was about to faint from embarrasment.

“It’s fine, Connor,” Buffy assured him, opening the letter slowly, “just have a seat and I’ll read your brother’s note. I don’t want him upset with you, so I’ll read it.” Buffy worried her bottom lip with her top teeth and began to read Spike Gile’s letter; it began:

Dear Miss Summers (notice I didn’t write Buffy!)


A/N: Sigh, that was a hard chapter. I tend to write myself and my characters into corners and have to scratch everyone back out again! Please read and review if you like. In the next Chapter 4: Part II, the letter will be revealed and another ‘new’ suitor for Buffy will make his way to the Rayne door. Can you guess who this might be? Thanks, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 4: Part II by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 4: Part II





The letter from William Giles started simply enough:

Dear Miss Summers (notice I didn’t say Buffy? Just as you requested?)

Buffy smiled softly at this little side note from William ‘Spike’ Giles and quickly glanced over at his little brother, Connor, to see if he had noticed her blush. Connor ‘seemed’ preoccupied, staring out the Rayne parlour window and at least pretended not to notice Buffy’s reactions to Will’s letter. Reading on, Buffy tried to keep an unattached, cool demeanor and attitude to the words Spike had written her:

Miss Summers;

Please accept my sincerest apologies for my rude behaviour when we first met. I am a rude, bad man sometimes, but not because I want to be. When I gazed upon the vision of beauty that you are, my wits fled me and I had no control of my speech or thought. All I could do was try, as mere mortals do, to convey my stunned delight at seeing such a rare vision of an angel here on earth.

‘Oh, Brother,’ Buffy chuckled as she rolled her eyes. But something in Spike’s wording tugged at her heart, gently. She read on.

You ‘are’ this vision, Miss Summers and I, being a mere man, unfortunately conveyed my appreciation of you in a poor and misconstrued manner. To say I am ashamed of my response to your honest and forthwright opinions would be an understatement that would do neither of us justice. Just please accept my sincere and earnest apologies for being a fool who was taken at first sight by your beauty and quick mind. For my regret and apology comes from the bottom of my soul which is from that historic day of our first meeting, devoted to you.

My youngest brother, Connor, has told me of your valor on your trip out here, as did my Father, Rupert Giles and my Stepmother, Jennifer. I cannot thank you enough for your sacrifice, for a sacrifice it was Miss Summers, to save my Stepmother’s wedding ring.

I understand that this cad, this uncouth bandit, actually had the audacity to request your lovely golden tresses as his prize in lieu of Jennifer’s ring and your own beloved locket. I can only say that your courage surpasses most men’s I have had the honor of knowing and I hope to convey my admiration to you in person at some time in the future.

In the meantime, please accept my undying gratitude and truly devoted admiration of you and your bravery, beauty and intelligence and please say you will forgive me for any first time negative impressions I may have given you.

This ‘letter’ has become ridiculously long, and again I apologize. My young brother, Connor, has a small remembrance of my devotion to you, Miss Summers. It is nothing really, just a what I consider an appropriate (at this time) token of the esteem I hold you in.

Please allow Connor to give this to you, in my stead. By nature, I assure you, I am not a coward, but I felt that a neutral person might be the best way to send you this letter and my token.

I thank you for reading this. Thank you for your sacrifice for my family and above all else, Miss Summers, I thank you for just being the vision of beauty and compassion I know you to be.

Devoted to you, Always

William Giles


Buffy grinned like a loon once she was done with William’s, or Spike’s, as he was called, letter. She wanted to be angry with him, still, but couldn’t find it in herself to be.

‘This man has a bit of the poet in him’ she surmised with quiet delight, trying not to blush too much in front of poor, shy Connor. Speaking of Connor, Buffy darted a quick glance at him again. The youngest Giles sat in the parlour chair, still content to stare out the window at the dusty street outside.

“Connor,” Buffy called gently, “thank you for bringing me your brother’s letter.” Connor hopped up from the chair with a grin and began to search his shirt for something.

“I’ve got something for you Miss Summers,” he acknowledged, “oh, here it is.” Plucking one long stemmed red rose from his shirt pocket, Connor held it out to Buffy with a boyish grin, “my brother, Spike, he searched my Mother’s garden for over an hour. Just to find the perfect red rose, Miss Summers. He really likes you, you know?”

Buffy caught her breath and accepted the beautiful, perfect rose bud from young Connor. “Does he?” she asked ‘somewhat’ skeptically, when she could find her voice.

“Oh, yes, Miss Summers,” Connor assured her with a nod of his handsome head, “I know he likes you very much!”

She smiled at the eager young man, the one who had charmed her little sister so brilliantly back in Tennessee.

“You love your big brother very much, don’t you Connor?” she asked seriously.

“Yes, Maam,” he answered without hesitating, “Spike is my best friend, even besides being my brother. I love Angel too, and Drusilla, but Spike’s my best buddy, no question.”

When a tense silence covered them, Buffy looked about the parlor to find a nice stationary letter set and quill pen on a table by Ethan Rayne’s chair. She slid over to the table and boldly picked up the pen and began to write on the top page of the tablet. After she was finished, Buffy handed Connor a folded slip of paper and said almost shyly.

“Please give this to your brother, Spike, Connor. It’s my ‘truce treaty’ for him. I’d appreciate it if this stayed between you, Spike and me, okay Connor?”

The young man smiled and nodded his head enthusiastically, “I’m going to say my goodnights to the Raynes and Osbournes Miss Summers,” he explained happily. “My Mother and Father have sent an invitation to the Raynes and you of course to attend a supper with us this week. I hope you all accept Maam.”

Young Connor tipped his hat and made his exit, leaving Buffy to reread the letter Spike had sent her and to breathe in the rose’s lovely frangrance.

Spike Giles sat in front of Maggie’s Saloon, waiting for his messenger, Connor, to return with word from Buffy Summers. He, Spike, had not gone into Maggie’s tonight, not for beer, whiskey or the other pleasures the place offerred to him and the rest of Cheyenne. For some reason, one that Spike suspected but feared a bit, since the honey blonde school teacher from Tennessee had come to Cheyenne, Maggie’s and it’s pleasures held no interest for him anymore. From his perch on the bench, where he smoked his third cigarette, Spike could see his beloved little brother, Connor, hurry towards him, a pinkish piece of paper in his hand.

“She read the letter!” Connor crowed happily, he appeared to be thrilled that Buffy had even acknowledged his note and it warmed Spike’s tough twenty-two-year old heart.

“I made sure she read it, Spike,” Connor nodded excitedly, sticking out his hand that held the pink paper, presumedly from Buffy Summers herself. “She even took the flower and sniffed it! I tried real hard to look away, but I saw it Spike, all of it! I think she likes you too!”

Connor looked so happy for him and Buffy that Spike had to restrain himself from hugging the younger Giles in affection.

“Thanks, Conn,” he smiled at his brother, deciding to refrain from the hugging stuff. “What’s this then?” he asked the boy pointing at the paper in his hand.

“Oh, this is from Miss Summers. A kind of truce thing, she said. Here.” And the boy handed Spike the note from Buffy, he seemed to be just happy to be a part of the whole thing.

“Can I ask you something, Spike?” the younger man asked the older. Spike nodded in silent consent to his brother. “When you find someone, you know like Miss Summers,” Connor began carefully, unsure of how to put his words together, “when you find a woman that makes your heart speed up and even race like runner horse. Is it love, Spike?”

Connor looked so big eyed and sincere that Spike chuckled despite himself. The fair haired Giles eldest slapped his young brother on the back as they strode off to their horses and home.

“Well, Conn,” he began trying to form his response carefully, “I guess you and me, we’re kind of like Dad. We’re Giles men through and through and when we find love; real, lasting love, not just first sight lust, well, we’re doomed, boy. We’re hit like a ton of bricks and it’s not going to go away, this love we have for our women. But truth be told, I don’t want it to go away, this ‘feeling’ I have for Miss Buffy Summers of Tennessee. Do you want your love at first sight for Dawn Summers to go away Conn?” he asked his young brother as they cinched their horses for the ride home to the ranch.

“No,” Connor answered honestly, “I don’t want to ever forget the feelings or thoughts I had when I first saw Dawn at her folks place down South.”

Spike chuckled good-naturedly and headed out of town with his younger brother in tow. ‘We’ll tame each other Miss Buffy Summers,’ he thought smugly to himself. ‘We’ll be a pair, won’t we though and God help anyone who tries to stop me from winning you.’

Connor had left just minutes before and Buffy had joined the Raynes and Osbournes in the dining area for some more brandy and conversation. The group had just begun a discussion about the chance of Wyoming becoming a real State of Union, when another knock at the door interrupted them.

Ethan again answered and announced, somewhat unimpressed, the arrival of one Riley Finn, Deputy Sheriff and his good friend Reverend Caleb Montgomery of the local and only Baptist Church in the town limits.

“Miss Elizabeth Summers,” Ethan began somberly, “this is our Reverend Caleb Montgomery and Deputy Sheriff Riley Finn. This gentlemen, is Elizabeth Summers of Greenville Tennessee.”

Buffy remained seated as the two rather large, brown-eyed men stumbled towards her to extend their hands in welcome.

‘They might as well be twins,’ Buffy thought to herself as she reached out to offer her hand. This Riley fellow grabbed it first and actually kissed it in greeting, affording nothing more to Buffy then a mere moment of embarrassment.

Reverend Montgomery was less impetuous and more sedate, he just nodded at Buffy with pious dignity and gave her a dignified smile of obvious ‘I’m holier than thou’ arrogance. Buffy took an immediate dislike to Reverend Caleb Montgomery and less then an eager interest to Riley Finn.

“Gentlemen,” Buffy sighed in her most Southern genteel manner, trying not to yawn in obvious disinterest to this turn of events. It’s not that Buffy found these two men boring, exactly, but after dealing with the Gile’s boys, especially Spike’s poetic letter of apology? Well, who could blame a young woman for flights of fancy, the ones that Buffy now experienced.

Where this Riley Finn and Caleb Montgomery’s eyes were brown, expressive yes, but impressively passionate like Spike’s? Hardly.

“I thought,” Mr. Finn stammered with uncertainly, “well, we thought, Caleb and I that you, Miss Summers, would want to know that we are here for you. As gentlemen, I mean,” the big man continued, somewhat unsure of himself, “we’ll be at your service Maam,” Finn finished while the good Reverend nodded with affirmination.

“Thank you Mr. Finn, Reverend Montgomery,” Buffy acknowledged reluctantly, “I’m sure I’ll be fine, but I do appreciate your offer of service.”

Finn grinned like a silly mule while the Reverend Montgomery just nodded like a clueless oak.

Cordelia came to the rescue, finally, offering the two men a piece of apple pie and coffee. They both accepted, even as they stared with open admiration for Buffy who was quite mortified by all of this instant attention she’d received in the last few days. Well, maybe mortified, but mostly pleased, and mostly by the Gile’s end of attention.


A/N: Okay, I am just going to say this…..the letter was hokey, I know! But, I wanted to capture the ‘gentlemanly/courtly’ side of William while retaining the snarky, but sincere side of Spike. This story is going to be long…so, I’ll write short/medium/long chapters for it and probably go into detail, detail, detail. Hope that is okay! Thanks for reading, please review if you like (all constructive criticism is welcome!).
Luv, Spuf
Chapter 5 by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 5:


Buffy sat, holding her now cup of tea, wishing against any odds that she still held the brandy glass she’d had earlier. Caleb Montgomery and Riley Finn had to be two of the stiffest, most wooden men Buffy Summers had ever encountered. She tried to be polite, of course, like Mama had taught her, but these two were past dull and heading straight into ‘boredom’ territory.

‘How can a Deputy Sheriff in a wild Territory be so, uhm, tiresome?’ Buffy thought to herself, trying not to yawn at the two brown-eyed men before her. She could understand the Reverend Caleb Montgomery being less then exciting of course. As much as Buffy wanted to fit into the community and fully intended to worship at the local Church that Reverend Montgomery preached at, she couldn’t help but feel that maybe most of the parishoners might be a bit put off by this dull, holier then thou, albeit good-looking minister.

“Miss Summers,” Caleb Montgomery was saying, interrupting Buffy’s open-eyed sleep, “I was wondering. How did such a lovely young woman, who’s Christian name of Elizabeth is quite charming, get such an odd nickname such as ‘Buffy.’ I do believe that Elizabeth suits a lady such as yourself much more then your rather odd counterpart.”

Buffy shook her head, trying to clear the boredom induced cobwebs from her weary brain.

“Excuse me?” she asked wide-eyed and stunned beyond belief.

‘Who the heck do you think you are Mr. Caleb ‘God on Earth’ Montgomery,’ she asked silently.

Riley Finn jumped in, a bit too late for Buffy’s taste, to ease the tension that the good Reverend’s tactlessness had caused to everyone in the parlor. Deputy Finn assured Buffy that although Elizabeth was indeed a lovely name, he found Buffy to be quite interesting and even ‘cute.’

‘Cute!’ Buffy rolled her green eyes and bit her tongue to keep from mouthing her indignation. Cordelia Rayne had sighed openly at Caleb’s tactless remark; her husband snorted in contempt and the Osbournes simply said nothing, just sat staring at each other with equally red faces.

“Well, Reverend Montgomery,” Buffy began calmly, trying to push heated temper and hot words down. At least out of respect for her host and hostess, “ I will be glad to tell you exactly how I got my nickname.”

Buffy shot a look of smug delight at Cordelia who smiled right back at her, giving her guest the go ahead to shoot this pious idiot down.

“My Mother, Joyce Summers was raised by a Mammy, of course, all Southern women of my Mother’s status were raised by Mammy’s. Of course, at the time my Mother was young, the Mammy’s were unfortunately slaves. When my Mother married my Father, her Mammy came with her and she was a widow woman, with two daughters, Dicey and Rosie. Girls that my Mama grew up with like they were all sisters. My Mother and her Mammy were devoted to each other. As a matter of fact, Mr. Montgomery, Mammy Buffy was there when I was born, as she was my sister Dawn Lee. In fact, she delivered both of us from my Mother.”

Caleb Montgomery looked absolutely scandalized by Buffy’s story.

“You mean to tell me, Miss Summers, that you are nicknamed for an old slave woman from the South?”

Buffy grinned right back at him her, “yes, Reverend Montgomery, I mean to tell you that. And a finer woman, a more loving devoted and might I add, a truer Christian woman never walked the face of this Earth then my Mother’s Mammy Buffy. I’m proud to be nicknamed after her!”

Caleb Montgomery looked as if he’d been faced with a thousand demons from a Hellmouth after Buffy finished her story. Buffy heard Willow giggle next to her on the divan while Daniel Osbourne just guwaffed slightly, just enough to be heard by his wife and her. When Buffy glanced over at Cordelia Rayne, she saw the older woman look down her nose at the good Reverend, even as she winked at Buffy secretively. Ethan Rayne just sat and smiled at everyone, a bit tipsy and perhaps oblivious to the fact that the new school teacher had just ‘tactfully’ put the Good Reverend Caleb in his place by a simple, true story.

“I,” Caleb began to stammer, embarrassed by his now evident faus pax. Buffy held her hand up to the man, “don’t fret, Reverend,” she insisted evenly, “there’s still a lot of anger and harsh feelings about the South and the War. I understand. However, since you find my preferred nickname of Buffy so offensive, I’ll ask you to just call me ‘Miss Summers’ from here on in. Of course, Mr. Finn may call me Buffy if he so chooses.”

Riley Finn grinned like a loon and stood to take petite hand in his large one, “of course I’d be more then happy to address you as Buffy, Miss Summers,” he gushed happily.

Buffy noted the smug look of victory that Mr. Finn shot his counterpart. “Please, call me Riley, of course,” he smiled gallantly.

“I will,” Buffy smiled back, suddenly quite impressed with this towering dark-eyed male.

Ethan Rayne cleared his throat and glanced at the Grandfather clock in the parlour, “well,” the Mayor began, “it’s almost 7:00 PM. Where does the time go?”

Riley took a look at the clock and stood up quickly, “we have imposed way too long Miss, I mean Buffy,” he gave her his charming smile. “We’ll take our leave now, Caleb and I,” here Finn leaned closer to Buffy and almost whispered, “I will call on you soon, Miss Buffy. That is if you would like me to?”

Buffy smiled and nodded. ‘Maybe Riley Finn isn’t so bad after all,’ she tried to convince herself.

“I’d like that, Riley,” she smiled back softly, trying not to think about the poetic letter that Spike Giles had sent her. Or the perfect red rose.

After the two men had left the Rayne’s, Cordelia and Willow sequestered Buffy in the parlor while Ethan and Danile had exited to the library for cigars.

“Men are so silly,” Cordelia chuckled, “they think we are really too clueless to discuss really ‘important’ matters with them!”

Willow giggled again, she was good at that and glanced at Buffy who seemed to be in her own world.

“Are you okay, Buffy?” the red-haired woman asked, concerned. Buffy nodded and began to pace about.

“What does Mayor Rayne and your husband Daniel think about Riley Finn?” she asked Willow, turning to face the older woman.

“Well,” Willow hesitated as she tried to word everything just right. “Ethan thinks that Riley Finn is a borderline moron,” Cordelia Rayne piped in, sipping her tea delicately. “Well,” he does, Mrs. Rayne glared at her nephew’s wife, Willow.

Willow blushed and looked at Buffy nervously, “he really does Buffy,” she confirmed with a nod, “and so does my Daniel. But….of course that has more to do with how Riley Finn feels about Spike Giles. Spike is one of Daniel’s best friends and since Riley detests the Giles, well…..”

Buffy raised her eyebrows in surprise and immediately asked Willow, “why does Riley Finn detest the Gile’s family?”

Willow glanced over at her husband’s aunt by marriage nervously. The discomfort on the red-head’s face was apparent, but Buffy asked again with determination, “why does Riley Finn detest the Gile’s family?”

Cordelia interjected, answering for Willow who had become suddenly tongue-tied.

“Because Riley Finn is one of those men that feel that families, men with money and power of any kind are threats to simple, less fortunate men like himself.” Cordelia snorted, but in the most feminine way of course. “He, Riley, is simply a bitter man who had a painful childhood.” She continued, “Riley is an orphan and was in an orphanage somewhere back East. If the old Sheriff, Samual Finn and his wife, Sally had not gone back, saved Riley from that awful place, he might well have been completely lost. Instead the old man adopted Riley, I think he was about eleven, maybe twelve years old and brought him out here to live. Riley never liked the Giles or any other ranch families around here, he’s still too bitter about his own fate. Finn feels that people like the Giles and yes, probably Mr. Rayne and I, that we think we are above folks like him. That and Riley Finn never felt that Spike Giles was completely innocent of the murder of that old fool Quentin Travers. Riley always felt that Spike got off completely with killing the monster because of who he was. That he got special treatment or something.”

Willow nodded her head, a serious expression on her sweet face, “it’s true, Buffy,” she confirmed, “Riley, when he became Deputy tried to talk Daniel into changing his story about just what happened that day. But, Spike was being attacked, honest, just like Daniel and Xander Harris say!”

Buffy sat quietly pondering what these two women had just told her. Of course she pitied her new acquaintance, Riley Finn, for his bad luck in his early life, but for some reason, Buffy felt her loyalty in the matter belonged to Spike Giles. ‘This is going to get interesting,’ she surmised.


Spike Giles lay in his bed at his home, his Father’s ranch and tried to read the book he’d chosen for the night. His lamplight was enough to see the words written in text of the this particular book, actually it was a play. A play by William Shakespeare ‘Hamlet’ to be exact. He had read this play, more then once, in fact he’d read it over thirty times by now in his twenty-two years, but for some reason he loved the story. Why? Who could say. It was a tragedy and more then morbid in it’s plot, but Spike always found himself drawn to the romantic, tragic stories of William Shakespeare. Hamlet was one of his favorites. When poor, tortured Hamlet told Ophelia to ‘get herself to a Nunnery’ it just got Spike every time.

‘Christ, I’m a bloody ponce!’ he sighed, tossing the text on the floor by his bed. Spike glanced at the clock above his bedroom’s fireplace, it struck 10:00 PM, signalling him that the household was, for the most part, settled in for the night. It was an early workday tomorrow for the whole ranch, him included.

Reaching for the light pink piece of paper, the one from Buffy, that he had laid on his nightstand, Spike tapped it on his right hand. He had left the return note from Buffy, the one she’d given Connor for him, to read after the Gile’s household had gone to bed for the night. Well, the household had gone to bed, everyone was settled in and now was the perfect time for Spike to read Buffy’s return note to him. With a sigh, Spike opened the note and began to read the fine small script of Buffy Summers:

‘Mr. William Giles’

I will not take up your time with mindless prattle and false words that my counterparts, the girls I grew up with, learned to reel and speak without a second thought (if they had thoughts that is?).

I’m sorry, please excuse my bluntness, but I feel that you are a blunt man, even though you have a great flair for prose. I hope this does not embarrass you, it’s not meant to. I found your letter of apology to be very honest, yes, but poingnant and dare I say it, lovely, also.

I will accept your apology, Mr. W. Giles, but only if you accept my own. When I turned and looked into your open, honest eyes of indigo blue (I blush at my boldness) I realized the words of poets. Especially of the great William Shakespeare:

‘The eyes are the window to the soul’ he once said. I believe this to be true and your eyes, sir, are an open window to your soul.

Truly honest, your eyes hold no secrets like so many false looks of men and women I have had the ‘unpleasure’ to know. Please accept my regret at my unwitty words at the train station that seemed to set the tone for our entire first conversation.

I was still a bit upset by the incident on the train and was feeling quite peckish indeed. Your young brother Connor has given me your ‘token’ of your esteem and I accept it with much thanks. It is a beautiful rose, sir, and I am sure your Stepmother is very proud (as she should be) of her gardens.

I will close now, thanking you again for your apologies and lovely remembrance. I do ask one other thing of you, Mr. Giles, that you would call me ‘Buffy’ from now on. I’m particularly proud of my nickname and someday I hope to share it’s meaning with you.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Anne ‘Buffy’ Summers


Spike smiled as he finished the note and folded it back up, laying it inside the book of ‘Hamlet’ he had just been reading.

‘No rose, not even a perfect one could ever compare to you, Buffy Summers,’ he whispered, lighting a newly rolled cigarette.

He took a sip of his brandy and lay back down on his bed, wondering what Buffy was doing right at this moment.

When you looked at a woman like Buffy, looked into her green eyes, a man saw many pleasant things. A real man, one like he thought of himself as, saw a woman that you marry, have a long life with. There would be a home to build together, time to grow together and of course children together. Your lives together would be up and down, good and bad, happy and sad, but that’s what life was; a constant changing, wonderful thing if a man had a woman like Buffy by his side. And Spike had made up his mind that first day he’d seen Buffy at the station; she would be his woman; his wife; the Mother of his children.

Buffy sighed and looked out the window of the Rayne guest room that she occupied, “wonder what Mr. William Giles is up to tonight,” she thought with a smile.

It was almost midnight and tomorrow Cordelia Rayne and her were to go to the Cheyenne Mercantile and visit one Willow Osbourne, who worked there, to see this extrordinary emerald green dress that Cordelia had just gone on about for hours, earlier.

“It’s a match for your eyes, Buffy,” Cordelia had gushed excitedly, “nothing else like it here in Cheyenne! You must have it. I’d have bought it for myself but green is not my color. But you! Those eyes, the dress! Buffy it’s perfect for our supper at the Giles on Wednesday! You must have it, dear!”

Buffy had been too proud to remind Cordelia that the dress was probably too dear, cost wise, for her to purchase at this time. Of course, Papa had bestowed some money on his beloved oldest daughter to come out here and the Council had given Buffy an advance in pay, but….”

Cordelia had scoffed when Buffy grimaced at the thought of buying an extravagance such as this mysterious dress in the Mercantile.

“If you can’t afford it dear,” Cordelia had sniffed, “I’ll treat you. For Heaven’s sake! Why can’t the Cheyenne Council pull it together and pay you a decent wage?”

Buffy had chuckled, Cordelia Rayne certainly was a forthright woman who spoke her mind with no apologies and she really liked her hostess. She liked Willow and Daniel, too, they were obviously smitten with each other and Buffy enjoyed seeing people in love. There was still a lot of sensitive poetress left in herself, Buffy realized.

Since Parker had died, especially since then, Buffy had put herself in a shell, put her emotional walls up. There were many reasons for her emotional shut down but Parker’s death had been only part of it. Parker had been her young husband, a mere boy really when they married, but he ‘was’ her best friend, always. The problem with Buffy, since his death had not just been her sense of loss of Parker, though she did feel that. No, a lot of her feelings since his death had been based on a sense of guilt that drove her to shut off some of her more feminine, sensitive emotions. Buffy simply had not loved Parker Abrams the way a wife ‘should have.’


A/N: Next we’re going to go shopping! (Well as much as one could in Cheyenne in the late 1800’s!) Please read and review and thanks for reading! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 5: Part II by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 5: ‘Emerald Green’


A/N: I will try and title each new chapter from here on in. Thanks! Luv, Spuf


Buffy followed Cordelia Rayne into the Cheyenne Mercantile that unusually warm Monday morning. Cordy (Cordelia had insisted that Buffy call her that) had cohereced Buffy into going to at least to see the emerald green dress she’d spoken of. Besides, Buffy did need some necessities from the little general store and of course she enjoyed Willow’s company so much that any excuse to have coffee or tea with the two women was welcomed.

Willow was helping a man and presumably his wife with something behind the little counter as they entered, but Buffy could see the red-head’s grey eyes light up when she spied them.

“Oh!” Willow cried with a smile, “please come up here, I want you to meet my Uncle and his wife, Buffy!”

Buffy had learned earlier that Willow had been brought out two years before to work in the Mercantile that her Uncle Saul Rosenberg owned. The youngish fair-haired woman with him was indeed his wife, Tara.

“Buffy’s come to see the dress everyone’s so admired, Uncle,” Willow gushed excitedly, “come on Buffy. Let’s take a peek!”

While Cordy stood and chatted with the reserved Mrs. Rosenberg and her older red-haired husband, Buffy let Willow lead her to this mysterious, must have dress.

“Here it is!” Willow cried with delight, pointing to a lovely dress that was draped perfectly on a store mannequin. It set back from the front window, almost as if Willow or someone had tried to hide it from public view. Almost as if someone had hidden in wait for Buffy Summers! Buffy sighed in awe at the sight of the dress, it reminded her of one of her party dresses she had left back home in Tennessee. Except those dresses were never green, not emerald green, anyway, but pink or light blue,usually. The dress was not spun from the usual broadcloth of an every day dress, it appeared to be made of a satin material, perhaps taffeta. It had puffed sleeves, a low but proper neckline and fit the upper body. The bodice ended just above the waistline and the skirt of the dress flared just enough to be appropriate for a single lady.

“Oh,” Buffy whispered, still in awe of the beautiful dress before her, “I, wish I could have it, Willow.”

Cordy scurried up to the Buffy and Willow, having left Mr. And Mrs. Rosenberg in the dust behind her.

“And you shall have it Buffy!” Cordelia exclaimed with delight. “I told you, if it’s too dear as far as cost, I’ll treat. It’s the least the Mayor’s wife could do, this cheap City Council dragging you all the way out here and not….”

Buffy sighed in resignation, “no, I’ll buy it, Cordy.” Buffy had no intention of letting this masterpiece of a dress get by her and she certainly could not allow Cordelia Rayne to purchase it for her; her pride would not let her.

“I think we might need a few alterations, Buffy,” Willow said quietly, her long fingers up to her chin in thought. “Let’s get you in the dressing area, it’s quite private, and we’ll take measurements.”

Cordelia piped in, “the alterations ‘must’ be done by Wednesday morning, Wills. Our supper at the Giles is that night and Buffy simply must wear this dress! If Spike Giles isn’t completely taken in by Buffy by now, which I’m sure he is, this dress on her will push him over the cliff at first glance.”

Buffy blushed profusely, “Cordy, I told you, Spike Giles is ‘nice’ yes but….”

Willow grabbed Buffy’s arm and steered her to the private dressing area, “we’ll be just a minute!” she called back to Uncle, Aunt and Cordelia Rayne.

Willow giggled as she closed the door of the dressing area behind her, “you’ll have to forgive Cordelia Rayne. She’s a bit of a romantic at heart and just thinks that Spike Giles and you are perfect for each other. Of course, so does Daniel, but in the end, it’s your choice Buffy.”

Buffy blushed again, but more from annoyance then embarrassment, “why does everyone have me marrying Spike Giles when I’ve only been in town a week?” she whined, slipping out of her grey day dress and reaching for the emerald green dream.

“Things happen fast out here, Buffy,” Willow explained as she began to take measurements and fittings of Buffy and the dress. “It’s natural that a young, single woman such as yourself would be considered a ‘prize’ for the single men of the Territory. Even Daniel thinks you’ll be married off, to Spike that is, before the new year! And he talks to Spike and his brothers all the time so…”

Buffy shot the red-head a warning look and Willow grew silent after that remark and just concentrated on her measuring tape and pins.

“I think we’ll need to just take it in an inch or two here, raise the hem a tad. There, it’ll be perfect, Buffy,” Willow nodded contentedly at her work.

When Buffy redressed in her grey day dress, she hurried out of the tiny changing area and ran smack dab into Spike Giles. Spike appeared to be lingering about the dry goods section, but Buffy wondered if he wasn’t just biding his time, perhaps waiting for her. His smile confirmed her suspisions and Buffy couldn’t help but smile back at him.

“Good day, Mr. Giles,” she stammered as she glanced around the Mercantile for Cordelia. Mrs. Rayne was still standing by the counter, talking quietly to Tara Rosenberg, but she flashed a wicked grin at Buffy and turned her back to the younger woman as if to say, ‘you are on your own Buffy, dear.’

“Thought you might call me Spike,” Mr. Giles purred, never taking his blue eyes from her. Buffy blushed warmly but met his blue eyes with her green ones, “and I shall,” she stated simply, “good day to you, Spike.”

William Giles seemed quite pleased by this and actually bowed, slightly to her, “good day Miss Buffy,” he responded gallantly. Suddenly, a tall dark haired young man joined them and Buffy was introduced by Spike to Xander Harris, his ranch hand. Apparently, from all signs, Xander was also considered a good friend of Spike’s.

“Maam,” Xander tipped his hat politely. Buffy noticed that Mr. Harris did not peruse her with his chocolate brown eyes, not like the other men out here. Then she remembered, Xander Harris had married the ex-saloon girl, Anya was her name. They were expecting a child.

Taking the initiative, Buffy held out her hand to Xander, “I understand you’re to be a Father soon, Mr. Harris,” she stated warmly, “congratulations.”

Xander beamed proudly, “thank you, Miss Summers,” he stammered a bit shyly, “I’m very excited about it.”

Buffy smiled warmly, again, at the shy young father-to-be. She looked over at Cordy who appeared to be ‘concerned’ by her conversation with the man who’d married an ex-saloon girl, then at Willow, who looked at Buffy with admiration. Then Buffy glanced at Spike, who looked at her as if she was a Goddess on Earth.

“Ask her,” Spike ordered Xander, but keeping his blue eyes on Buffy.

“Mr. Harris?” Buffy inquired.

“I was wondering,” Xander Harris began cautiously, “I mean, my wife, Anya, my wife and I, we were wondering.” The tall dark-haired man began to stammer, seemingly unsure of what he wanted to ask or how.

Buffy smiled with encouragement, “you and Anya wondered?” she asked softly.

“Well,” Xander hesitated again with a blush and a look to his friend and employer, Spike Giles.

“Oh for Pete’s sake!” Spike sighed in exhasperation, “Xander here and his wife, Anya wanted to know if you might be, Miss Buffy, agreeable to do them a favor?”

Buffy scrunched up her forehead, a habit both her Mother and Father had always hated, but Mammy Buffy had found ‘sweet’ in nature, “what favor?” she squeaked, somewhat confused.

“They,” Spike continued, “Xander wondered if you might find it in your heart to teach Anya, his wife, her ABC’s, reading if you will? Of course, the Harris’s would be more then willing to compensate you, Miss Buffy. Pay you, if you will.”

Buffy just knew she looked stunned for a moment, then she pulled herself together and answered boldly, "I’d be happy to help your wife with her ABC’s and reading, Mr. Harris. I wouldn’t think of any repayment, it’s my pleasure to teach anyone who has a will to learn.”

She could just hear Cordelia snort from her place in the corner of the Mercantile, but was grateful to hear Willow sigh in admiration. Even Mr. And Mrs. Rosenberg beamed with approval at her, ‘maybe it’s going to be all right,’ Buffy surmised silently, ‘I’ll just have to settle in best I can. My way.’

“I enjoy reading at night, Miss Summers,” Xander explained shyly, “Anya thought it would be nice to learn to read. She thought it would be something to do together. I hope it’s not an imposition, Maam.”

Xander Harris looked like a shy schoolboy to Buffy and it tugged at her heart, ‘he loves her,’ she thought happily. ‘Xander loves his wife, Anya, and wants her to be happy and secure with her new life.’

“I’d be happy to help your wife, Mr Harris. Please have her come around to the school house in oh, say about a week or so. My new home is to be ready by this Sunday and I think I’ll be setting up the school house next week. She and I can talk about the lessons and please, don’t worry about payment, like I said, I’m more then happy to teach a quick and willing mind to learn.”

Xander looked past relief and Buffy had to stifle a chuckle, ‘he’s so in love with her,’ she sighed inwardly, ‘must be nice.’

The tall dark man tipped his hat again in thanks and left Buffy alone by the dry goods with Spike.

“You are a truly exceptional young woman, Miss Buffy,” Spike whispered with a tone of complete, honesty.

“Why, thank you Spike,” she whispered back, somewhat taken aback by this handsome, fair-haired man’s admiration.

“Tell me,” Buffy stood back and eyed Spike Giles with interest, “just exactly how many of the good townspeople around here accept Xander Harris, or more importantly his beloved wife, Anya?”

Spike averted his blue eyes from Buffy for a moment, the first time since he’d met up with her in the Mercantile. “Not many, Buffy,” he muttered softly, looking about to make sure Xander couldn’t hear.

“I see,” Buffy responded, again scrunching up her sweet little face. “Pity,” Buffy sighed, “I’d hoped that the folks out here in the great Wyoming Territory would have been a bit more shall we say, progressive?”

Spike raised his left, scarred eyebrow, this little tasty morsel had not ceased to amaze him since her arrival and she showed no signs of stopping now.

“Progressive?” he asked with a smirk, “in what way, Miss Buffy?”

The little honey blonde gift to mankind just continued in thought then finally stated firmly, “we all have a past, Spike,” she shook her head. “Some of us have things back there, feelings of remorse, regret, that we wouldn’t confess to a Priest, even if we were Catholic; and ones I would never discuss with our pious Reverend Montgomery. If Xander Harris loved Anya enough, and she him, to accept her past, then who am I, you or this town to question it? How could I, a so called teacher, turn down such a heart felt and loving request from such a seemingly kind man who clearly loves his wife with all of his heart?”

Spike remained silent for a moment or two, staring deep into Buffy’s emerald green eyes with the utmost in admiration and respect.

“You really are an exeptional young woman, Buffy,” he murmered, boldly tucking a loose strand of her honey blonde hair behind her little ear.

“Thank you,” she whispered with a blush, averting her eyes from him.

“I’m looking forward to your visit for supper on Wednesday, Miss Buffy,” Spike offerred, trying to change the subject. “I’m hoping that you will be wearing that exquisite little green dress that you’ve been trying on?”

Buffy gasped in embarrassment, “you are really too bold for words, Spike!” However, his warm, sincere grin, not so much a smirk as a smile, caused Buffy to calm down a bit. “I wouldn’t think of wearing anything but my new emerald green dress, Spike,” she whispered coquettishly as she nodded and turned her back on him. “Cordy,” she called, “I’m ready to go now.”

Buffy joined Cordy, Willow and her new acquaintances, the Rosenbergs at the front of the Mercantile. Before she slipped through the front door, she glanced back at William ‘Spike’ Giles who just stood, grinning at her, his blue eyes flashing in merriment.

“Good afternoon, Miss Summers,” he called with a slight chuckle, “I look forward, definitely, to your visit at the Ranch Wednesday.”

She nodded at Spike, then Xander Harris and hurried out the door of the dry goods store, trying very hard not to glance back at the handsome English expatriate.

“I see what you mean, Spike,” Xander Harris admitted quietly, looking at his employer with a grudging respect. “She is quite a lady, isn’t she?”

Spike had the same grin he’d shown earlier and glanced over at his ranch hand and one of his best friends, “she’s more then that, Harris,” he stated with confidence, “Miss Buffy Summers is going to be my wife. Mark my words. Even if I have to move Heaven and Hell to make it so.”

Wednesday had come sooner then Buffy expected, but she was up to the task of pulling herself together, completely, to impress the entire Gile’s family. Buffy was more then excited to meet Drusilla, the oldest Giles sibling and her husband Lord Wesley Rhys-Smythe, a Lord no less!

However, a part of Buffy was quite anxious to see Spike again, even if she should be more cautious about that and less excited then she was.

‘Get a hold of yourself Buffy,’ she had ordered herself more then once that Wednesday morning and afternoon, ‘he’s a man, that’s all. Forget that he’s got the bluest eyes you have ever seen or that he is quite intelligent or that he actually reads William Shakespeare, I’m sure.’

Buffy dressed with extra care that afternoon, torn between wearing her blonde hair up in a loose knot, or down in a cascade about her shoulders.

“I think the down, loose cascade look,” Cordelia interjected as she entered Buffy’s room. “Your hair is like spun gold, Buffy, don’t tie it up and force it into a severe bun. It’s more lovely down and free, somewhat like you my dear.”

Buffy blushed, but let her hair down to fall around her shoulders in a wave of golden silk. Cordelia had, the moment they had left the Mercantile on Monday, made it clear that she certainly did not approve of Buffy Summers, School Teacher, helping an ex-saloon girl like Anya learn her letters and to read. With a mere smile, along with a shrug, Buffy had let Cordy know that she had every intention of hearing Mrs. Anya Harris out. After all, Buffy was a teacher, first and foremost, she expected nothing more of her students then an attentive mind, a will to learn and an appreciation of that knowledge. If Anya Harris wanted to learn her letters and to read, then Buffy would be glad to teach her. Cordelia had said no more on the subject since and Buffy never mentioned it again to her hostess. Right now, Buffy and Cordelia were more interested in dressing up for tonight’s supper at the Gile’s Ranch.

The three Rayne children, tiny tot terrors that they were, were going to stay in town with their Uncle and Aunt Osbourne. Mayor Rayne, his wife Cordelia and Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers would drive out to the Gile’s Ranch in style, in the new Rayne buggy that Mr Rayne had purchased for his beloved wife, Cordelia.

It was not a real long trip to the Gile’s Ranch, but Buffy found herself almost dreading their arrival. She found her heart beating much too rapidly as they approached the imposing home of Giles. Something she tried to attribute to the fact that she would be meeting ‘Lord Wesley Rhys-Smythe and his wife Drusilla’, but Buffy had to be honest.

‘It’s more because of Spike,’ she sighed to herself as the buggy pulled up in front of the ranch house. As if on cue, the Gile’s front door flew open and Rupert, Jennifer, Angel and Connor burst out as a warm welcoming committee. Spike, Buffy noticed sauntered up behind, a sly smile on his face.

“So good of you all to come!” Jennifer Giles gushed, hugging Cordelia, then Buffy as they were helped down from the buggy by Rupert.

“Oh, look, boys!” Mrs. Giles gasped in delight, “doesn’t our Buffy look like a vision today?”

Angel bent over Buffy’s hand and kissed it in the most genteel fashion. Spike, on the on the other hand, raked his blue eyes over her like a starving man at a banquet, making her blush like a virgin bride.

“She’s a vision all right, Jennifer,” Spike stated lazily, offering his arm to Buffy, who almost had the boldness to ‘not take it!’

Buffy did take it, somewhat reluctantly, thinking to herself, ‘what a brash, bold man you are, Spike Giles! I’ll show you ‘vision’ all right! Bet I can make you weak in the knees before this night is over sir. I’ll make you quiver like a schoolboy at his first dance. Just wait and see if I don’t!’

“Our cook has made the most delicious looking roast lamb,” Jennifer stated proudly, “it’s perfect! But first, we must go into the parlor and have some tea!”

Spike watched Buffy as she drank her tea with the most delicate, precise sips he’d ever seen. He, himself, never much cared for tea, not since he had arrived here in Wyoming and taken to the stronger American coffee that was so popular amongst the locals. But just watching his future wife (well at least in his own mind) sip her English tea brew like a dainty little kitten lapping at cream; well, it made him arroused beyond words.

“How is your tea, Miss Summers?” Rupert Giles asked politely, smiling at his wife, Jennifer as if to say, ‘did I do well, darling?’

“It is fine, Mr. Giles. Thank you,” Buffy responded sweetly, for some reason darting a glance at Spike, who had not stopped staring at her for an hour or so. Spike smiled at her boldly, leaning up against the fireplace mantel, not making any attempt to hide his bold peruse of her as she drank her tea and tried to make conversation with his Stepmother and Cordelia Rayne. Connor looked bored beyond tears and Angel kept looking outside of the parlor window, no doubt thinking of some saloon girl strumpet he’d just love to be shagging right this minute.

Supper was announced close to an hour or so after Buffy and the Raynes had arrived at the ranch. Buffy was fully aware of the affect the emerald green dress was having on all of the Gile’s men, but her main interest, was the affect it was having on Spike Giles.

‘No question,’ Buffy thought smugly as she was sat by Spike himself at the dinner table, ‘this dress and myself, we are having a huge affect on Spike!’

The poor man hadn’t been able to keep his eyes off of Buffy since she had arrived, and as much as she ‘seemed’ to detest his attention, she actually craved it! Buffy smiled coyly up at Spike, trying not to be too coquettish in her manner, but it was so much fun, really! One thing she had always been good at, Buffy that is, was flirting like a real Southern lady and tonight she was pulling out all of the stops.

“Tell me, Buffy,” Spike smiled over at her as he passed her the bread dish, “how did you get such an interesting nickname?”

‘There you beautiful little brat,’ Spike snickered silently, ‘answere that and flash me that exquisite little smile of yours.’

“It was my Mother’s Mammy’s name,” Buffy stated simply, buttering her bread, not even looking at him. “She was my Mother’s best friend, and mine later of course. Then much later, my dear husband Parker was my best friend. I think husband and wife should be good friends, don’t you William?” she batted her golden lashes at him and Spike literally ‘rose’ to the occasion.

“Yes, friends, Miss Buffy,” he concurred, sipping his wine thoughtfully, “but frankly, I think husband and wife can’t be truly friends. They can love, fight, make love and shag, but….” Rupert Giles cleared his throat and interrupted, “don’t you have something to tell Miss Summers, William?”

He glared at his oldest son, even as Jennifer, Cordelia and Angel chuckled behind their napkins. Ethan Rayne just grinned like an old fool, tipsy on wine from supper.

“Right,” Spike stammered, glancing at Buffy with an almost red face. Buffy just glared back at him, coolly, apparently not missing the innuendo that Spike had put out to her about the shagging and all.

“I, I mean we,” Miss Buffy, Spike began with caution, “well, my Dad and I, the whole City Council that is, we decided that you should have a means of transportaion. I mean a horse, that is Miss Buffy. One that suits you, of course.”

Ethan Rayne jumped in here, “Spike here is one of the finest horsemen in the Territory, Miss Summers,” he said proudly. Almost as if Spike was his own son.

Rupert nodded with his own Fatherly pride, “my son, Spike ‘is’ the best horseman around, Miss Summers. Knows more about horses then anyone. The City Council commissioned me to find you a suitable horse and of course, I went to Spike here to get the best. I think you’ll like the mare he’s picked out for you. Right son?”

Spike just blushed, ‘bloody hell! I blushed!’ and looked over at Buffy, who just stared at her supper plate.

“I really think you’ll like Cloud, Miss Buffy,” he stammered shyly, something that he would never think of doing under normal circumstances.

Angel and Connor cried, “Cloud!” Both of youngest Giles boys gasped in shock.

“I thought you were going to mate Cloud with your horse Demon, Spike!” Connor gasped in shock.

Buffy looked around at the large table of stunned faces. “Your horse’s name is Demon?” she asked Spike in surprise. He just nodded at her, concentrating on his own supper before him.

“This Cloud,” Buffy began carefully, “is this your horse? Your own stallion’s mate?”

Spike dared a glance at her, “well, I raised her, Cloud that is, since birth. Thought I’d mate her with my own horse, Demon, but I think she suits you best, Miss Buffy. That is if you want her. I had Xander bring her around, put her in the corral outside. She’s a pretty little Palomino, not too large, or too small, just right for you, I think that is.

Buffy smiled sideways at Spike, a little embarrassed by the warm feelings she was having for this man right at the moment.

“I am sure that Cloud, as you call her, will be just fine for me Spike,” she whispered, barely loud enough for him to hear.

“After supper,” Spike smiled, a most dazzling smile to Buffy, “we can go have a look at Cloud,” he offerred proudly. “I think you’ll really appreciate her, Miss Buffy.”

Buffy nodded gratefully, then went back to her rather tasty lamb supper.


A/N: A long one, sorry! I hope readers are really getting into this story. It’s a tough one for me, but I’m sticking with it! Thanks and please review.
Luv, Spuf
Chapter 6: 'Let's Make a Deal' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 6: Part I, ‘Let’s Make A Deal’

Buffy glanced around the huge table as everyone, including herself, drank coffee and ate pie.

‘I thought only we Southerners ate pie every day, day and night,’ she pondered as she sipped her coffee and her gaze fell on Lord and Lady Rhys-Smythe. Spike’s older sister, his only sister and full blooded sibling, Drusilla, was beautiful and apparently quite intelligent. Her husband, Lord Wesley seemed to be her equal in every way, looks, personality and a keen wit. At this moment, Drusilla was talking quietly with Jennifer and Cordelia Rayne, about the latest fashions in Europe no doubt. Buffy was rather set off from the other females, positioned right between Spike on her left and Connor on her right.

‘I’m sure someone had a hand in that little arrangement’ she surmised to herself.

“Buffy, dear,” Jenny Giles beamed at her, “perhaps you can tell us the story of the Train robbery. I’ve told it so many times, I’m sure I’ve lost sight of the real truth quite by accident, of course, and I want Wesley and Dru to hear it exactly as it happened.”

Spike chuckled softly next to her, “yes, do tell us exactly what happened, Miss Buffy, dear,” he seconded his Stepmother’s request in his rather sarcastic tone.

“Oh, do, Buffy,” Drusilla hopped in excitedly, “nothing ever happens to me that exciting!”

“I,” Buffy began, blushing again, “I would like to but…”

Spike stood up quickly, interrupting the course of the conversation.

“I was going to show Miss Buffy her new mare right now, Jennifer, Dru. Can she possibly relay the story later?”

The women nodded quickly, exchanging knowing smiles between them.

“Of course, William,” Jennifer concurred, “you take Buffy out and show her Cloud. I’m sure she’ll be quite impressed.”

Buffy noticed the three other women smiled giddily at each other, including Cordelia Rayne. Rupert Giles and Ethan Rayne beamed at Spike.

‘Did Rupert Giles just wink at his oldest son?’ Buffy wondered as she took Spike’s outreached hand and allowed him to escort her out of the back door to the rather large corral close behind the house. There, right next to the wooden fence stood two of the most beautiful horses Buffy had ever laid eyes on. They were as different as night and day, in looks that is; the black stallion was huge, dark as night and literally dwarfed the gorgeous pale Palomino beside him.

‘That must be Demon,’ Buffy realized as the two horses stood side by side, quietly nuzzling each other. Of course, the Palimino was Cloud, that was obvious.

“Oh, Spike,” Buffy gasped in awe as she hurried to the fence to stroke the two horses necks. “They’re beautiful, especially Cloud! We can’t separate them, look how close they are!”

Spike joined her by the fence and reached out to pet Cloud’s lovely mane, “well, they are close Buffy,” he concurred, “but I think this is the perfect horse for you. Besides, I have every intention of bringing Demon to visit her as much as possible. If you permit that is.”

He was rewarded by a bright red blush on fair Buffy’s pretty face and long silky neck.

“I see,” she whispered, her gaze still focused on the horses. “I am not sure, Spike,” Buffy stammered wistfully as she stroked the Palomino’s silky mane, “it seems a shame to separate them at all.”

Spike reached down the neck of the mare and accidently, on purpose, touched Buffy’s hand with his, sending an electric shock wave through both of them. She looked up at him, finally, with those huge green eyes that just melted him. That’s when he noticed moisture in them and wondered what he’d done to make her tear up.

‘What the bloody hell did I say now?’ he stared at her, puzzled.

“I just hate to see these two broken hearted, Spike,” she sighed softly with a wistful voice. “It doesn’t seem right to separate them, take them away from each other. Look how they care for each other. I don’t think I could bear to see either of them unhappy.”

She buried her head in the Palimino’s neck and sighed deeply, “that and I am not sure that a single woman should accept such a fine gift from a single man. What would the good people of Cheyenne say?”

Spike grinned, lifted her little chin up so that she met his gaze and tucked a lock of her hair behind her right ear, “they’ll say, the men at least, damn but Spike Giles is a smart bloke. Wish I’d thought of giving that lovely little new school teacher a horse, at least!”

Buffy burst out in laughter, wiping her eyes gently, “oh, so that’s it. Getting in good with the teacher, huh?” she continued to giggle, which she couldn’t help; she just hated it when she giggled too much.

“Hope it helps my cause,” he added with a wink, something Buffy should have been upset about, but just couldn’t be. ‘This is a handsome, intelligent man,’ she sighed to herself in resignation, ‘but I still cannot just accept this magnificent horse.’

Spike watched Buffy scrunch up her face in thought as she chewed on her luscious bottom lip gently.

‘I’d like to be the one chewing that lip,’ he fantasized silently, ‘only a matter of time, of coure, but…’

“Could we make a deal, Spike?” Buffy suddenly piped up, bringing him out of his fantasy.

“Huh? A deal?” She nodded with determination, but smiled warmly.

“What do you say? We will trade something for the horse? I could do something for you, or your family, a service or something?”

Spike couldn’t help but let his baser nature rise at that little offer. His blue eyes must have just danced with merriment as he gazed into her huge green ones, a smirk on his face.

“Well,” he leaned closer to her, stopping just a few inches from her face, “now that’s an interesting proposition, Miss Buffy Summers. And, actually there is a lot of something you could do for me.”

He finished in a near whisper and felt proud and hopeful when Buffy looked up from her half closed eyes, her golden lashes fluttering.

“No!” she suddenly cried, red-faced, “I mean, no. What I meant was….” Buffy was so flustered that her whole face was bright red from embarrassment. “Ohhhh,” she growled at him with a frown, “why do you have to be so darn crude!”

Spike began to laugh and when Buffy tried to push past him, he reached out and grabbed her gently, “don’t run off, Buffy. I’m sorry, really and I’ll try to be good, I promise. Just stay here with me for a while and we’ll talk more. In my defense though,” and he tried to look his most remorseful as he gazed into the fiery green orbs that glared back at him; “in my defense, Miss Buffy Summers, you do bring out the demon in me that way. Can’t help it, you’re such a delightful little thing. But, I’ll be good,” he sighed his promise.

Buffy was torn between pulling away from Spike, slapping him or just scolding him like a school boy in class. She opted for nodding her head and staying put, saying nothing more about his latest innuendo. However, she noticed that Spike Gile’s did not let go of her arm right away either, which somehow excited her, even as it annoyed her.

“Hmmm,” Buffy murmered as she gently pulled away from Spike, “you, good? We’ll see William Giles.” Her mouth was twisted in a little smirk. With a toss of head, Buffy went back to petting Cloud lovingly. “We still need to figure out a compromise, Spike, I mean about this wonderful gift of yours? Is there any way to settle this?”

Spike settled his back against the fence as he watched his future wife (okay, in his own mind anyway) stroke her new horse lovingly

‘Wish she’d stroke me like that,’ he thought longingly, ‘someday she will, though.’ He finally hit upon an idea he thought might be ageeable to both of them.

“I’ll tell you what, Miss Buffy,” he began, staring her down, “what do you say to this? When the time comes, I’ll bring Demon around to mate with Cloud. If it takes and there’s a foal? I’ll claim it as mine. Does that sound reasonable?”

He watched Buffy blush in at least six shades of pink to red, but then she nodded firmly, “yes, Spike. That sounds like a fine idea.”

When Buffy stuck out her hand to his, indicating a shake of the deal, Spike had to stifle a laugh.

He somberly took her hand and shook it, but inwardly he thought, ‘that’s the ticket, Buffy dear. By the time I mate these horses, you and I will be married with a little brat of our own on the way!’


A/N: Oooooh, another shortie chapter from me! What a novelty! Please read and review, if nothing else let me know if I should continue this tale of the Western Range! (And I don’t mean Whirlpool or Amana!). Oh, Chapter 6, Part II will be longer. Spike will find out for sure that he has a rival(s) for Buffy’s affections! Thank you for your support! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 6: Part II 'Long Haul Guys' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 6: Part I, ‘Let’s Make A Deal’

Buffy glanced around the huge table as everyone, including herself, drank coffee and ate pie.

‘I thought only we Southerners ate pie every day, day and night,’ she pondered as she sipped her coffee and her gaze fell on Lord and Lady Rhys-Smythe. Spike’s older sister, his only sister and full blooded sibling, Drusilla, was beautiful and apparently quite intelligent. Her husband, Lord Wesley seemed to be her equal in every way, looks, personality and a keen wit. At this moment, Drusilla was talking quietly with Jennifer and Cordelia Rayne, about the latest fashions in Europe no doubt. Buffy was rather set off from the other females, positioned right between Spike on her left and Connor on her right.

‘I’m sure someone had a hand in that little arrangement’ she surmised to herself.

“Buffy, dear,” Jenny Giles beamed at her, “perhaps you can tell us the story of the Train robbery. I’ve told it so many times, I’m sure I’ve lost sight of the real truth quite by accident, of course, and I want Wesley and Dru to hear it exactly as it happened.”

Spike chuckled softly next to her, “yes, do tell us exactly what happened, Miss Buffy, dear,” he seconded his Stepmother’s request in his rather sarcastic tone.

“Oh, do, Buffy,” Drusilla hopped in excitedly, “nothing ever happens to me that exciting!”

“I,” Buffy began, blushing again, “I would like to but…”

Spike stood up quickly, interrupting the course of the conversation.

“I was going to show Miss Buffy her new mare right now, Jennifer, Dru. Can she possibly relay the story later?”

The women nodded quickly, exchanging knowing smiles between them.

“Of course, William,” Jennifer concurred, “you take Buffy out and show her Cloud. I’m sure she’ll be quite impressed.”

Buffy noticed the three other women smiled giddily at each other, including Cordelia Rayne. Rupert Giles and Ethan Rayne beamed at Spike.

‘Did Rupert Giles just wink at his oldest son?’ Buffy wondered as she took Spike’s outreached hand and allowed him to escort her out of the back door to the rather large corral close behind the house. There, right next to the wooden fence stood two of the most beautiful horses Buffy had ever laid eyes on. They were as different as night and day, in looks that is; the black stallion was huge, dark as night and literally dwarfed the gorgeous pale Palomino beside him.

‘That must be Demon,’ Buffy realized as the two horses stood side by side, quietly nuzzling each other. Of course, the Palimino was Cloud, that was obvious.

“Oh, Spike,” Buffy gasped in awe as she hurried to the fence to stroke the two horses necks. “They’re beautiful, especially Cloud! We can’t separate them, look how close they are!”

Spike joined her by the fence and reached out to pet Cloud’s lovely mane, “well, they are close Buffy,” he concurred, “but I think this is the perfect horse for you. Besides, I have every intention of bringing Demon to visit her as much as possible. If you permit that is.”

He was rewarded by a bright red blush on fair Buffy’s pretty face and long silky neck.

“I see,” she whispered, her gaze still focused on the horses. “I am not sure, Spike,” Buffy stammered wistfully as she stroked the Palomino’s silky mane, “it seems a shame to separate them at all.”

Spike reached down the neck of the mare and accidently, on purpose, touched Buffy’s hand with his, sending an electric shock wave through both of them. She looked up at him, finally, with those huge green eyes that just melted him. That’s when he noticed moisture in them and wondered what he’d done to make her tear up.

‘What the bloody hell did I say now?’ he stared at her, puzzled.

“I just hate to see these two broken hearted, Spike,” she sighed softly with a wistful voice. “It doesn’t seem right to separate them, take them away from each other. Look how they care for each other. I don’t think I could bear to see either of them unhappy.”

She buried her head in the Palimino’s neck and sighed deeply, “that and I am not sure that a single woman should accept such a fine gift from a single man. What would the good people of Cheyenne say?”

Spike grinned, lifted her little chin up so that she met his gaze and tucked a lock of her hair behind her right ear, “they’ll say, the men at least, damn but Spike Giles is a smart bloke. Wish I’d thought of giving that lovely little new school teacher a horse, at least!”

Buffy burst out in laughter, wiping her eyes gently, “oh, so that’s it. Getting in good with the teacher, huh?” she continued to giggle, which she couldn’t help; she just hated it when she giggled too much.

“Hope it helps my cause,” he added with a wink, something Buffy should have been upset about, but just couldn’t be. ‘This is a handsome, intelligent man,’ she sighed to herself in resignation, ‘but I still cannot just accept this magnificent horse.’

Spike watched Buffy scrunch up her face in thought as she chewed on her luscious bottom lip gently.

‘I’d like to be the one chewing that lip,’ he fantasized silently, ‘only a matter of time, of coure, but…’

“Could we make a deal, Spike?” Buffy suddenly piped up, bringing him out of his fantasy.

“Huh? A deal?” She nodded with determination, but smiled warmly.

“What do you say? We will trade something for the horse? I could do something for you, or your family, a service or something?”

Spike couldn’t help but let his baser nature rise at that little offer. His blue eyes must have just danced with merriment as he gazed into her huge green ones, a smirk on his face.

“Well,” he leaned closer to her, stopping just a few inches from her face, “now that’s an interesting proposition, Miss Buffy Summers. And, actually there is a lot of something you could do for me.”

He finished in a near whisper and felt proud and hopeful when Buffy looked up from her half closed eyes, her golden lashes fluttering.

“No!” she suddenly cried, red-faced, “I mean, no. What I meant was….” Buffy was so flustered that her whole face was bright red from embarrassment. “Ohhhh,” she growled at him with a frown, “why do you have to be so darn crude!”

Spike began to laugh and when Buffy tried to push past him, he reached out and grabbed her gently, “don’t run off, Buffy. I’m sorry, really and I’ll try to be good, I promise. Just stay here with me for a while and we’ll talk more. In my defense though,” and he tried to look his most remorseful as he gazed into the fiery green orbs that glared back at him; “in my defense, Miss Buffy Summers, you do bring out the demon in me that way. Can’t help it, you’re such a delightful little thing. But, I’ll be good,” he sighed his promise.

Buffy was torn between pulling away from Spike, slapping him or just scolding him like a school boy in class. She opted for nodding her head and staying put, saying nothing more about his latest innuendo. However, she noticed that Spike Gile’s did not let go of her arm right away either, which somehow excited her, even as it annoyed her.

“Hmmm,” Buffy murmered as she gently pulled away from Spike, “you, good? We’ll see William Giles.” Her mouth was twisted in a little smirk. With a toss of head, Buffy went back to petting Cloud lovingly. “We still need to figure out a compromise, Spike, I mean about this wonderful gift of yours? Is there any way to settle this?”

Spike settled his back against the fence as he watched his future wife (okay, in his own mind anyway) stroke her new horse lovingly

‘Wish she’d stroke me like that,’ he thought longingly, ‘someday she will, though.’ He finally hit upon an idea he thought might be ageeable to both of them.

“I’ll tell you what, Miss Buffy,” he began, staring her down, “what do you say to this? When the time comes, I’ll bring Demon around to mate with Cloud. If it takes and there’s a foal? I’ll claim it as mine. Does that sound reasonable?”

He watched Buffy blush in at least six shades of pink to red, but then she nodded firmly, “yes, Spike. That sounds like a fine idea.”

When Buffy stuck out her hand to his, indicating a shake of the deal, Spike had to stifle a laugh.

He somberly took her hand and shook it, but inwardly he thought, ‘that’s the ticket, Buffy dear. By the time I mate these horses, you and I will be married with a little brat of our own on the way!’


A/N: Oooooh, another shortie chapter from me! What a novelty! Please read and review, if nothing else let me know if I should continue this tale of the Western Range! (And I don’t mean Whirlpool or Amana!). Oh, Chapter 6, Part II will be longer. Spike will find out for sure that he has a rival(s) for Buffy’s affections! Thank you for your support! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 6: Part II 'Long Haul Guys' by spufette
6: Part II ‘Long Haul Guys’

Chapter

“When is Mr. Spike going to bring your horse, Miss Summers?” young Ethan Rayne Jr. asked eagerly.

“Well, Ethan,” Buffy smiled warmly, “he said that we ought to wait until I’ve moved into my new house before he brings Cloud to live with me. I suppose he thinks that maybe another pony might be a bit of an imposition on your folks and you?”

Ethan Jr. thought about this for a minute then sighed, “I don’t suppose I can ride the new mare then, huh?” he inquired with a precocious pout.

“Of course you can, Ethan,” Buffy chuckled, ruffling his dark hair, “I mean I say you can but your Mama and Papa must approve it.”

Little five-year-old Alise piped up excitedly, “can I ride Cloud Miss Summers? Oh, and did you know Mr. Spike likes you a lot? Mama says he’s, let me think what was that word Mama used, Ethan?”

The oldest Rayne child blushed, “ahh, Mama says Mr. Spike is ‘smitten’ with Miss Summers. No, actually Mama said he lov…”

Buffy interrupted the childish prattle, “that’s enough children,” she scolded gently. “We should not be discussing Mr. Spike Giles or any other adult, it’s not proper.”

She, Buffy, only hoped that the two precocious children had not seen her warm smile at their conversation. It would not be appropriate for the Rayne children to see their future school teacher blushing like a virgin over some British cowboy’s sweet talk.

‘Oooohhhh, Spike Giles is such a vain, know it all. Wish he wasn’t so darn good looking!’ she thought to herself, a hot flush of indignation bubbling up inside of her.

They, Buffy and the two oldest Rayne children were sitting in the parlor of the Ethan and Cordelia, looking over some simple readers. “You see, Ethan Jr.,” Buffy showed the young boy, “you’ll do just fine in school, I promise.”

Buffy glanced at the clock on the wall, “speaking of school,” she said to herself, “I need to get going to the school house. I’m meeting someone there today.”

Alise jumped up from her chair, “can we go Miss Summers? Mama!” she cried out, “can we go with Miss Summers to the school house?”

Cordelia Rayne hurried in from the kitchen, her dress covered in what looked like flour, “isn’t this the day you meet with Xander Harris and ‘that’ wife of his?” she asked Buffy with a snooty kind of snort. Before Buffy could answere, Cordy called back into the kitchen, “Samuel Rayne, I’m going to tan your hide young man. I love you more then God’s green earth, but you insist on teasing and trying your Mama to no end!”

Apparently, young Samuel had gotten in the pantry again, when Cordy’s back was turned and played make believe ‘snow’ with the flour she kept there.

Buffy was thankful for the break in Cordelia’s interrogation, but too soon, the older woman set her glare back on the little school teacher.

“Well?” Cordy asked with a raise of her well groomed brow.

“Yes, Cordelia,” Buffy stood up and raised herself to her full 5’1” heighth, “I’m to meet Xander and Anya Harris at the school house. I thought I’d show Mrs. Harris the readers we will be using for her learning. Is that some kind of a problem?”

Cordelia Rayne glanced about at her two oldest children who looked at her with the widest most innocent eyes in the world, “no Buffy,” Cordy finally whispered, “no problem at all.”

Mrs. Rayne departed the parlor and went back into the kitchen to attend to Master Samuel and his flour paintings.

“I think I should go to the school house alone today, children,” Buffy explained, hugging both the kids together, “next time you can come. Okay?”

The two dark-haired children grinned in anticipation, “yes Miss Summers,” Ethan answered for them both as he took his little sisters hand in his. “We’ll go help Mama with Samuel now.”

They left Buffy alone in the parlor.

There was a soft knock at the Rayne front door, “oh, Buffy,” Cordelia called from the kitchen, “Ethan asked Reverend Montgomery to escort you to the school house this morning. I do hope that is okay?”

Buffy sighed and rolled her eyes, “oh, joy,” she sighed again sarcastically, “now my morning is truly complete!”

Buffy grabbed her shawl and answered the door reluctantly.

“Good morning, Miss Summers,” Caleb Montgomery smiled at her, tipping his hat politely. “I hope it is all right that I should be the one to escort you to your destination. I think we started off on the wrong foot, Miss Summers” he emphasized the Miss Summers way too much. “I was hoping that a stroll to the school house together just might bring us to a kind of truce or at least an understanding?”

Buffy tried not to scream out loud in exasperation, ‘oh dear heaven’s someone just shoot me now! But she answered simply, “of course, Reverend,” she responded politely, if not abruptly, offerring him her arm even as he offered his.

“Well then,” the pious young dark-haired man crowed happily, “let’s be off, shall we?”

The odd looking couple walked to the school house, arm in arm. Caleb Montgomery was a good foot taller or more then Buffy and of course she felt the difference. It annoyed her for some reason.

“I suppose you are looking forward to starting classes in late August, Miss,” Caleb asked her with the most patronizing of smiles.

“Yes, Reverend,” she stammered, trying not to sound too curt, “I cannot wait to start my teaching duties. There is nothing like a young mind, willing to learn and anxious for knowledge. It is my hope that all of my students here in Cheyenne go on to use this knowledge to make a better place, here in this world that is.”

Caleb Montgomery just responded with a ‘hmmm.’ When Buffy and Caleb had reached the little school house, still so new that the red of the wood shined in defiance to the elements, they saw a fair-haired man, dressed all in black waiting by the front porch for them. Buffy recognized Spike Giles; she would now know him anywhere, leaned up against the railing of the school house, a cigarette in his hand. Demon, his prized stallion pranced close to the post he’d been tied to. Somewhere, deep down inside of Buffy, her body began to almost hum in recognition of Spike, her heart started beating rapidly.

‘This is ridiculous!’ she told herself, ‘he’s a mere man, nothing more.’

A buckboard and two horses connected sat close by the school house and Buffy assumed that this had brought Xander and his wife here.

The good Reverend whispered to Buffy, “Spike Giles is a crude man, Miss Summers. I can’t imagine why he is here to greet you. I hope he leaves soon.”

Buffy pulled her arm from Caleb’s and strode up to Spike, “fancy meeting you here, Spike. What brings you here anyway?”

Spike grinned at her and then smirked at the good Reverend Montgomery, “I rode in with Xander and Anya,” he explained, eyeing Caleb up and down with a scowl. “Thought I’d take the opportunity to see you again Buffy.”

It was Caleb’s turn to scowl, “Buffy!” he gasped, “he calls you Buffy?” the Preacher turned to look at his companion.

“Yes, he does, Reverend Montgomery,” Buffy purred, never breaking her stare from Spike, “he’s earned it.”

Again, Spike grinned at her, “like I said ‘Buffy’ I rode in with the Harris’s,” he emphasized the Buffy with wicked glee, ignoring Reverend Caleb’s dissaproving glare.

“Am I to understand Miss Summers,” Reverend Montgomery began, somewhat stunned, “that you are here to actually see Mr. Xander Harris and his so called wife, Anya?”

Buffy broke the gaze she had shared with Spike to glare at Caleb Montgomery, “yes, sir,” she confirmed. “I am here to show Mrs. Harris the new reader that I’ve brought. I’m going to teach her her letters and to read. I’ve also considered offering to teacher her her numbers, if she likes that is.”

Buffy smiled coyly at Spike who shot back a look of utmost respect and admiration for her.

“Is that a problem, Reverend?” Buffy batted her lashes and smiled softly, the smile of Saints, she hoped.

“Well, Miss Summers,” Reverend Caleb sighed, a look of pious indignation, “a well brought up lady like yourself would do better then to waste her time on an ex-strumpet like Anya Jenkins, or Harris as she likes to call herself now.”

Buffy tensed up, she stiffened her backbone and stood erect right up to this Reverend Caleb Montgomery with determination and nerve, “tell me, Reverend,” she began softly, glancing over to Spike, who had one of his patent smirks on his face. “Are you a literate man, sir?” Buffy asked innocently enough, never breaking her green eyes from Spike’s blue ones.

“Of course, Miss Summers,” Caleb answered with a snort, “I couldn’t be a Preacher if I couldn’t read the ‘Good Book’ now could I?”

“Then, sir,” Buffy sighed most ladylike as she shook her head slightly, puzzled, “I might ask you, as a man of the cloth…..when was the last time you read that great passage from the New Testament?”

Caleb looked like a trapped animal, “which one would that be Miss Summers?” he asked confused.

“The one where Jesus Christ says: ‘He who is without sin, cast the first stone.”

Reverend Montomery looked like he had been hit with Holy Water from the Pope himself as Buffy smiled sweetly and said, “good day, Reverend Caleb Montgomery.”

She turned her back to him, nodded her head at that demon in man’s clothing, Spike Giles, and headed into the school house to show that so called ex-strumpet, Anya Harris the new reader book.

Spike didn’t even try to hide his glee at the come uppance of the good Reverend Caleb Montgomery, so he slapped the taller man on his back, good-naturedly.

“Well, Preacher man,” Spike chuckled, “it’s not as if you had a chance with the little school teacher anyway!”

Caleb glared at the smaller fair-haired man, “you sir,” he hissed through clenched teeth, “are a cad and bohemian of the worst kind. Do not think that the good men of Cheyenne and this Territory have not ‘heard’ of your so called ‘claim’ on Miss Summers. It’s a scandal through and through; one that is Pagan in nature and would give our Elizabeth Summers a blush of horror if she was aware of it!”

Spike laughed out loud, “a blush of horror?” he snorted. “You Reverend, are the bloody horror. You preach forgiveness and tolerance on Sunday morning, like you well should, but you live the life of a man who thinks he’s above all others.”

Caleb looked shocked for a moment or two then hissed at Spike, “you sir, are an insufferable, rude man!”

Spike chuckled again, “and you sir,” he retorted gleefully, “are a bloody pompous arse!”

The Reverend Montgomery stormed off, back to his Church in a fit of righteous indignation.

“Idiotic git!” Spike called out to the receding figure, “you aren’t good enough to kiss Buffy’s feet!”

Buffy liked Anya Harris. The woman was honest and straightforward, a bit too much so maybe, but in a way, it was a nice change from the usual phoney genteelness Buffy was used to.

“I’ll teach you your reading,” Buffy had promised the eager young woman, “and your numbers, if you would like that is.” Anya had made it clear that she would love to learn anything Buffy could teach her and they struck a deal; Buffy would teach Anya her reading and math, Anya would cook a meal or two for Buffy. It was the beginning of what would prove to be a long and loyal friendship.

She, Buffy hummed happily as she left the little school house to return home, only to run into Spike Giles, waiting for her by his rather intimidating horse, Demon.

“Oh,” Buffy squeaked in surprise, stunned to find this man still here at the school door. “I thought you would be pursuing more pleasant things, Spike,” she murmered, passing by him without a glance his way.

“I am,” he assured her with a dazzling smile, one she tried hard not to notice. “I can’t think of anything more pleasant then your company, Buffy Summers,” he added, falling into step with her.

chance with me, Spike?” she inquired with a coquettish grin.

“Because, Miss Buffy, you are a smart, quick witted young woman who must know exactly what man is the long haul guy. It is certainly not Caleb Montgomery, nor Riley Finn (he noticed she flinched at that name; oh he had heard of that git Riley’s interest in her) or any other fool within a thousand miles of here. No, Miss Buffy Summers, ‘I am’ the long haul guy for you. If we could just skip this nonsensical ‘dance’ that convention seems to think we should do, then I think we would save a lot of time and energy. Get right to the good stuff.”

He smirked, caught her hot little green eyed gaze and winked at her warmly.

The little school teacher looked as if she had been asked to walk naked down Main Street, “you pompous, egotistical, vain man!” Buffy cried, her face flushed with indigantion.

“Spike Giles,” Buffy Summers sighed in frustration, “you truly are too big for your boots!”

He grinned again and closed the few feet of gap that lay between them as he kind of pinned her up against the Rayne white picket fence.

“You can run, Buffy,” he whispered as he leaned in close to her right ear, “but you’ll never hide from me. I’m a patient man. Okay, I’m not, but I’ll make an exception for you. I’ll be waiting Buffy, for whenever you decide to come to your senses and let me in.”

Spike smiled (what he hoped was a seductive smile) and tucked a strand of loose Buffy hair behind her ear. “Oh,” he purred, “by-the-way, your house will be done by the weekend. I’ll be bringing Cloud around soon after. Until then, and after,” he added with another smirk, “I’ll be finding any excuse to throw myself in your path that I can. So, consider yourself warned, Miss Summers!”

With a laugh, Spike turned and sauntered off, leaving a stunned Buffy Summers, school teacher, standing open mouthed by the Rayne’s picket fence.


A/N: Okay, a couple of things here. I know that BTVS/ATS were not particularly religious shows, but this is a story set in the 1880’s and most people back then had some beliefs of some kind. That’s why I’m throwing Reverend Caleb, Bible quotes, etc. in here. I am not trying to be offensive to any one or politcally incorrect in any way, but if writing about the old West, etc., you have to throw religion in there somewhere. Anyway, thanks for reading and please review, I love any reveiws. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 7: Part I 'Housewarming' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 7: ‘Housewarming’


Buffy Summers took a look around her new ‘home’ with a strong sense of pride that owning something by yourself gave you. So many Cheyenne townspeople had helped her move into her little cottage-like house that Buffy was just dizzy with trying to figure out how to repay each and every one of them.

Willow had made some beautiful yellow curtains for the windows, Angel and Connor Giles had built the little corral in back, and the small barn that would house Cloud.

Willow’s Uncle and Aunt Rosenberg had made sure that the young school teacher had the dishes and silver, cookware and other necessities that only their Mercantile could provide.

Ethan and Cordelia Rayne had insisted on stocking her little pantry with dry goods and such, plus a new iron stove.

But it was Spike Giles and Xander Harris that had given her the most lofty of the gifts for her new home; Xander had a knack for carpentry so he and Spike had built her a moderate oaken dining table with four chairs to match. There was a sofa, that Willow and Daniel had promptly covered in suitable material and even an end table or two, plus a lovely set of matching chairs.

Finally, Spike and Xander had moved the last piece of furniture into her little four room place; an oaken bed, that the two friends had built themselves for her. Xander’s wife Anya was blatantly absent and it troubled Buffy, she liked the young woman. Rupert and Jennifer Giles insisted on giving Buffy fine sheets and blankets, plus a beautiful quilt.

“It’s a housewarming Buffy!” Jenny had insisted when Buffy had claimed it was just too much. “We’re neighbors, friends, aren’t we? This is what folks do for each other at a housewarming party!”

She, Buffy had cried for two hours straight after everyone had arrived at her new house to help her move, it had all been so overwhelming. When she wasn’t crying, she was with Willow laughing behind their hands at the look on Spike Gile’s face when he and Xander set that bed in her little bedroom; it was priceless.

The rascal’s expression went from a smirky glance at Buffy to a blush when she glanced back at him. But nothing could outdo the jealous flash of his blue eyes when Riley Finn arrived at the house to ‘help’ move Buffy in.

Buffy couldn’t help it, she felt some kind of feminine power from the manly encounter; the two men eyed each other with such hatred that even Willow had mentioned it to her.

“I hope they don’t shoot each other,” Willow had giggled behind her hand to Buffy, “I’m sure Spike would win, but Riley might get a good shot or two in before he died!”

Both young women laughed riotously, illiciting puzzled looks from both Spike and Riley, the two main rivals for Buffy’s affections.

Connor Giles had brought a young ranch hand with him that day; a boy about his age and size. Buffy saw right away that the young man must have had some Indian in him and was intrigued by it. She had never seen a real local Indian before and immediately began asking a lot of questions about the young man.

Apparently, most of the local tribes had left for the Government mandated reservations or stayed clear of the city limits completely.

“He’s my friend,” Connor explained simply, “his Father was Cheyenne, his Mother was a farm girl from Nebraska. They both died when Ford, that’s his name, Ford only, was about nine or so. One night, it was winter and there was a lot of snow, I remember that,” Connor continued so seriously that Buffy felt the urge to cry over the poor kids unfortunate fate.

“Poor Ford wandered up to the Ranch and stumbled onto our front porch, said his parents were dead and he didn’t know where to go. My Mom and Dad couldn’t see sending him to a place where he would never be accepted by anyone. The Reservation I mean, so my Mother insisted that Ford at least be placed with the other Ranch hands in their bunkhouse. Ford didn’t want charity so this gave him some chance to make his own way. She put Gunn in charge of him.”

Buffy remembered that Connor had said something about a ranch hand named Charles Gunn, an ex slave from Mississippi, she thought anyway.

“Mother taught me my lessons at home and had Ford learn with me. We kind of grew up along side each other. Miss Summers,” Connor tapped Buffy’s arm and added with concern, “I don’t think Riley Finn likes Ford much. You know his folks were killed by Indians. Or did you know that?”

Yes, Buffy had been informed that an Indian massacre was exactly how Riley Finn had become an orphan, but still, she couldn’t reconcile the Deputy’s hatred of all Indians. It just didn’t make sense to her, but intolerance never had made sense to Buffy Summers. Poor Connor glanced back and forth from Ford to Riley Finn and then at Spike and Buffy, nervously.

"Hope Riley doesn’t go on about it,” Connor mumbled under his breath as he had helped Angel and Ford fix the corral gate that didn’t seem to want to stay fastened.

“There,” Angel finally grunted, fixing the lock of the gate to latch like it should. “That should hold good now,” he smiled proudly.

“Thank you, Angel, Connor and Ford,” Buffy beamed at the three young men who resembled each other so much.

“I’m sure Cloud will love her new home,” she finished happily. Spike sauntered up to join them, leaning up against the new fence.

“I’m sure that Cloud ‘will’ love her new home, with you, Buffy,” he grinned at her, causing Buffy to blush profusely. She certainly hadn’t forgotten Spike’s promise to make his presence known to her any chance he got from here on in.

“Yes, well,” she stammered as she noted that Connor and Angel exchanged knowing glances. “Good grief!” she huffed to herself, “don’t these guys keep any secrets from each other?”

Spike lit a cigarette as Angel, Connor and Ford took their leave, “smart boys,” he chuckled good naturedly. His smile turned into a frown when Riley Finn joined them, uninvited, Buffy noted.

“Miss Buffy,” Riley grinned at her, then frowned at Spike, “Giles,” he nodded at the fair haired Brit.

“Hello Finn,” Spike growled back at the taller man with a scowl, “things get boring at the Sherrif’s office?”

Riley gave him the look of death then turned his attention back to Buffy, who he favored with a sickeningly sweet smile, or so Spike felt.

“Your house is certainly coming along, Miss Buffy,” Riley stated the obvious to Spike’s girl, Buffy. “Soon you’ll feel right at home, I’m sure,” the large man offerred, “of course, if you should ever feel threatened (here Finn paused and glared at Spike) or even uneasy, I’m always close by. You know where to find me, Miss Buffy.”

Riley finished with a smug grin and took Buffy’s hand in his to actually kiss it.

‘Bloody fucking ponce!’ Spike screamed silently, jealousy rearing it’s ugly head, ‘I’ll rip his balls off and…’

“Thank you Riley,” Buffy purred, her eyes glued to Finn’s ugly face, I am sure I will be fine, but to know that the Cheyenne law is at my disposal is a blessing.”

Spike was sure that Buffy’s gaze flicked over to him, momentarily. ‘Did she just smirk at me?’ Spike wondered.

“I would like to call on you, Miss Buffy,” Riley gushed warmly, totally ignoring Spike’s presence, “perhaps the day after tomorrow would be acceptable.”

Buffy just stood there grinning like a silly school girl, or so Spike thought angrily.

“Of course, Riley, I’d be happy to receive you. Day after tomorrow, I’ll look forward to it.”

Riley grinned happily then tipped his hat at Buffy and gave Spike a grudging nod, “good day, Buffy,” he called as he sauntered off.

‘What a bloody, boring idiot!’ Spike hissed to himself as he watched Buffy blush all kinds of pretty shades of pink and red. ‘Surely Buffy can’t be taken in by such a stupid wanker as Riley Finn?’

However, Buffy ‘was’ giving off all kinds of impressed vibes over Riley Finn, the fucking moron!

“Christ!” he hissed, unfortunately loud enough for Buffy to hear. “What?” Buffy asked nonpulsed, or so it seemed to Spike.

“I said,” he growled harshly, “Christ! How can a smart, beautiful young woman such as yourself be enamored by Riley Finn?”

Spike was stunned when Buffy broke out in a feminine giggle, “who says I’m enamored?” she asked coyly, batting her golden lashes. “Just because some man, like Riley, or you for that matter pays any attention to me, doesn’t mean I’m swooning Spike Giles. It just means that I might enjoy ‘his’ company, that’s all.”

Buffy actually grinned at Spike with what could only be described as glee. She promptly turned away from him and walked off, her little hips swishing under that pale blue dress of hers.

“Let’s see how much you enjoy Riley Finn’s company when he’s planted six feet under, Buffy Summers!” Spike snarled only half jokingly as he followed her back into the new house.

“Buffy, I’ll be bringing Cloud to you in the next day or so. Is that ageeable?” Spike asked her, in what she thought seemed like a patronizing mimic of Riley.

“Of course, Spike,” Buffy responded evenly, “I would love for Cloud to be here as soon as possible. Of course, I might be ‘busy’ the time of day you bring her, I hope that’s ‘agreeable’ to you Spike.”

She did her best to smile sweetly, slightly hoping it came across smug enough, ‘there!’ she chuckled to herself, ‘Mr. Smarty Pants! Hope you show up when Riley’s here calling on me and it makes you jealous! Serves you right, you egotistical, too big for your leather boots…’

Buffy had heard some rumors, already, about this ‘claim’ that Spike Giles had put on her and her affections. While she found it to be kind of sweet and somewhat flattering, in a way that is, she also found it to be quite archaic and definitely something from the Middle Ages! Spike somehow cornered her in the kitchen of her new house, which for some reason seemed to be devoid of any other person at the moment.

“Oh, I’ll come around when ‘I’ choose, Buffy,” he whispered as he leaned into her, much too close for comfort she thought.

“If you’re otherwise occupied with someone, oh, say Riley Finn that is….well, that’s fine. Just don’t blame me if the good Deputy ends up shot dead in your front room.”

Buffy gasped, unsure if Spike was kidding or not. “Oh don’t worry,” he added with a chuckle, “I’ll pay for the clean up and the burial of the esteemed Riley Finn.”

She gasped again, her green eyes wide with shock, “why you rude, vain, awful man!” Buffy began in horror. Before another derogative descript name could escape her lovely little mouth, Spike glanced about and saw they were alone.

Going for broke, he leaned in even closer and kissed Buffy Summers right on her plush lips, shocking the little beauty into silence. Spike felt a shock go through his body and figured that Buffy felt it too; her moan of pleasure matched his completely. When they broke apart, however, Spike caught the fiery heat of ‘something’ in Buffy’s eyes and saw her right hand come up for the slap on his cheek.

He grabbed her hand in mid air and chuckled again, “ah ah ah, Miss Buffy. At least slap me when I’m really trying to seduce you, not just stealing kisses in your kitchen with my family and half of the town in your front room.”

Spike knew Buffy was angry beyond words, else she would have certainly put him in his place within a second of the kiss. “I’ll see you day after tomorrow, Miss Buffy,” he grinned at her. “And don’t worry,” he called back to her as he left the kitchen to rejoin the others, “I won’t shoot Riley Finn over you…..yet that is.”


A/N: Okay, wanted to get Buffy moved in, the rivalry over Buffy in full force between Spike and Riley and so much more. After the next chapter, time will jump ahead and there will be more Spuffy interaction. I hope people stick with this story, I promise it will get more exciting, honest. Thanks, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 7: Part II 'Tea & Testosterone' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 7: Part II ‘Tea and Testosterone!’


Buffy hummed as she wondered around her new house, straightening pillows that really didn’t need straightening, but, gosh, that’s what you did when you had a house to yourself, right? When she had been married to Parker, before he died, Buffy and he had lived in the rather overwhelming back part of the Abrams house. Although they had their own space, Buffy found it difficult and quite confining to share a home with Parker’s parents and after her young husband had died? Well, Buffy had escaped that gloomy prison as fast as she could, which was one of the many reasons Mrs. Sally Abrams, Parker’s Mother, resented her. One of the very many reasons the old battle axe dissaproved of Buffy, but that was the past, this was now and Miss Summers had a new life in Wyoming.

Riley Finn was to call on her today and Buffy went about setting up her beloved tea set. Sadly, during the train robbery that she had experienced while coming to Cheyenne, when the train stopped abruptly, the tea pot itself was broken beyond repair. Buffy loved that teaset, it had belonged to Mammy Buffy herself and she had given it to her when she married Parker.

It was the one thing that Mammy Buffy really owned and she had wanted her darling nick name sake to have it, even though the older woman did not approve of the marriage between Parker and her ‘Baby Lizzy.

Right up until the wedding ceremony, Mammy Buffy scolded and advized Buffy not to marry Parker Abrams, “he’s not the one for my baby girl, Lizzy.” Mammy Buffy never called Buffy anything but ‘Lizzy’ considering it a more proper name for her fair-haired charge.

“Your Grandmother was a fine woman, a bit odd at times, almost cold as ice, but fine all the same and smart as a whip! Poor lady had the female innards of cast iron skillet. How could she not? Eleven babies and still going until her fifties! That was my Elizabeth, nothing to be ashamed of, she was just a bit of a old crank now and then, but it’s a proud name. Mammy always told little ‘Lizzy’ that, from day one, “you should go by Elizabeth or Lizzy, nothing else. I don’t care what your folks say and for that matter, you should ‘not’ be marrying that listless little weakling you’re being sent off to!”

For some reason, Mammy Buffy had never wanted Buffy to marry Parker, not because he was a bad man, or ‘mere boy’ as Mammy had claimed, but because the old woman seemed to ‘know’ that her Lizzy would not be happily wed if she did.

“Honey,” Mammy Buffy would go on and on for hours, “he’s a mere child, not near spirited enough for my Baby girl. I can’t see anything but sorrow and trouble ahead for you. I’ll just die if you’re unhappy Baby.”

Coming back from her Tennessee memories, Buffy set out two of the four little tea cups that remained from her set.

“I’ll never be able to replace the teapot,” she sighed sadly, “good thing Willow convinced me to buy a new tea kettle.”

Willow had been adamant, “you’ll be receiving so many gentlemen callers, Buffy. You just have to have a kettle close by to serve them their tea. Or coffee,” Willow winked with a mischivious grin, “Spike Giles, according to my husband, loves coffee, not tea.”

Buffy had blushed, even before that forward Spike Giles had kissed her in her own new kitchen.

‘What a brazen man he is,’ Buffy grumbled as she boiled the water for tea, but set another kettle to seep some coffee grounds. ‘I hope Spike shows up when Riley is here,’ she giggled as she glanced in the mirror that hung over her iron stove, ‘serves the nasty old thing right! Thinks he owns me, he does!’

As much as Buffy tried to put Spike Giles out of her mind, she failed miserably. The sad truth was, Mammy Buffy would not only approve of William ‘Spike’ Giles as a worthy suitor for her ‘Baby Girl’ but the old woman would have pushed them together.

Buffy could just hear her beloved Mammy Buffy now, “now that’s a ‘man’ my Baby Lizzy. He’s just the kind of man that your Mammy Buffy wants for you. Spirited, stubborn, just like you, honey, and so very handsome. A real gentleman, with a bit of the devil himself underneath! That’s the man for my girl!”

Except, there was just one problem, Buffy still harbored guilt over her lack of love for poor Parker, who really had been so loyal to her. It was Riley that reminded her of poor Parker, not Spike, and a part of Buffy still felt regret that her young husband had died unloved, at least like a man should be.

There was a strong knock at the door of her new home and Buffy checked her appearance in the front room mirror. She looked good, she thought anyway, bright and cheery, even eager but not too much so. If she expected Riley to be standing at her front door, she would be dissapointed, but she wasn’t, even though it was Spike who stood there.

‘Wonder why he always wears black?’ she asked herself, still believing that it was the bad guys in the West that wore that color only. Too many dime novels and stereotype lore had shadowed Buffy’s perception of the western areas of the United States. Actually, black was definitely Spike Gile’s color for some reason. He was a formidable figure in his black clothing, on his all black horse, Demon.

For a man who was not necessarily as tall as other men around him, the dark clothing and his firm, intimidating build served it’s purpose Buffy supposed. No matter, with his fair hair, blue eyes and black clothing, and obvious strength, Spike Giles certainly impressed her, Buffy, much to her dismay. Of course, Spike stood on her front porch, cigarette in hand and that cocky look on his face, so Buffy immediately went on the defensive, put her walls up. Loosely put them up that is.

Buffy caught sight of Cloud, tied to the white picket fence that surrounded her little house and yard, the devoted Demon tied close by. Her breath caught in her throat as Buffy noticed how the two horses nuzzled each other lovingly and again she wondered if it was right to separate the animals from each other.

“Hello, Spike,” she greeted almost shyly as she eyed the horses wistfully, “I see that your horse has come to say good bye to his love. I don’t know,” she sighed, “I still wonder if it’s right to separate them.”

Spike smiled lazily, “they’ll be fine, Buffy,” he assured her, glancing back at the two animals, “like I said, I’ll be bringing Demon by ‘often’ to see Cloud. Of course when it’s time for them to mate….”

Buffy blushed and quickly changed the subject, “come in,” she ordered gently, “I’ve made tea. Of course if you’d rather have coffee, I have that too.”

The fair head man before her smiled in delight, “I prefer coffee, Buffy,” he said warmly, “glad to know that ‘you’ know that too.”

Again, she blushed and led him into her front room, wondering if it was even proper to have a man in her house ‘unchaperoned’ and all. ‘Oh for Pete’s sake, Buffy,’ she chided herself immediately, ‘this is a new time and a new place. Who cares if Papa or another relative is about to ‘watch’ us!’

“Finn isn’t around yet, huh?” Spike chuckled as he looked about the small room. Buffy blushed again, ‘not so uppity as before are you Missy?’ he thought smugly. ‘I’ll have to kiss you more often when we’re alone, makes you a bit less tough and obstinant, doesn’t it?’

“Did you purposely come when you thought Riley would be here, or when you thought he wouldn’t,” Buffy asked under half closed lashes as she motioned for him to sit down on her rather comfortable sofa.

“I came when I chose to, Buffy,” Spike muttered as he plopped down on the sofa, even though he grinned widely. “I don’t set my time to Riley Finn, he’s not that important in ‘my’ life. At least he wasn’t that important until you came along, Princess,” he smirked at her.

“Now I’ll probably have to shoot the poor idiot, that is if he proves to be a real rival for you.”

She shot him a look of confusion, rolled her beautiful green eyes and then hurried into her kitchen to presumably get the coffee, at least he hoped.

‘Too bad I can’t have a whiskey,’ Spike mused as he looked about the room again. He’d been there just a couple of days before, but now, alone here with Buffy, it seemed more inviting then when filled with his parents and brothers, that and the other townspeople that had helped Buffy move in.

‘I want our home, Buffy’s and mine to look just like this when it’s time,’ he grinned as he settled into the sofa cushions, ‘warm, comfortable. It’s exactly what I want, just like I want her.’

While he waited for Buffy to come back with his coffee, Spike decided that he would definitely have to kick his courtship of her up a notch or two. All of the other men in the Territory, the single ones anyway, would bow to his claim on Buffy Summers, no question, but Riley Finn was another matter. Oh, Spike knew he was a better man then Finn, and certainly better suited to Buffy then that dense oaf.

However, something about the Deputy seemed to intrigue his little golden haired angel, Buffy, and he, Spike, would have to work a little harder to either run Riley off or turn Buffy away from him completely. Either way, Riley would have to go, Buffy was destined for him, Spike, no other man.

Buffy brought the coffee in and Spike noticed that she had chosen the American drink for herself as well.

“I prefer coffee,” she explained briefly without being asked, “of course at home, in Tennessee, the coffee is good, black and strong. Tea is just a bit to weak for me.”

Spike grinned as he sipped the hot liquid and eyed her above the little tea cup in his hand.

“Is this Wedgewood china, Buffy?” he asked as he studied the delicate cup with interest.

“Yes,” Buffy gasped, surprised at his recognition of the fine china. “It was my Mother’s Mammy’s set, the tea pot broke on the way out here and I….”

Spike saw the shot of sorrow that flashed on Buffy’s face, the pain in her eyes. “It’s beautiful, luv,” Spike interejected with a sympathetic smile, “delicate but beautiful. Just like you.”

She glanced away from him with a bright red blush, the one he just loved to see on her, “thankyou,” she stammered. A knock at the door broke the embarrassed silence between them.

“That would be Riley,” Buffy squeaked as she jumped up to answere the front door. “Oh, bloody hurrah!” Spike grumbled sarcastically.

“Hello Riley,” Buffy greeted the tall goodlooking man at the door, “please come in.”

She could feel the tension, thick as gravy, in the room when Riley walked in. Of course Riley knew Spike was there, he would have seen Demon tied outside in the yard. Spike didn’t even get up when Riley strode into the front room and sat in the twin of the chair Buffy had been sitting in.

“Hello, Spike,” Riley mumbled, barely looking at the smaller man.

“Finn,” Spike growled back harshly.

‘Oh this is going to be just lovely,’ Buffy mused as she went in to get Riley some tea. ‘I’m so glad I set this little meeting up,’ she thought sarcastically as she went about getting another cup, cream and sugar for Riley’s tea. ‘Serves me right,’ Buffy reasoned as she plastered on a dazzling smile and handed Riley his drink, ‘I’m the one wanted them to face off. Thought it would be ‘cute’ as Riley says of my name. Geez, I’m an idiot.’

Riley sat pouting in the chair while Spike just grinned at Buffy, never taking his eyes off of her.

Finally, Buffy couldn’t take the tense silence anymore so she asked innocently enough, “how long have you two ‘boys’ known each other?”

Spike broke his stare from Buffy and glared over at Riley, who glared right back at him. If looks could have killed, one of the two men in the room would definitely had been dead by now, fortunately ‘looks’ couldn’t kill, but guns could.

Buffy remembered what Spike had jokingly (?) told her more then once, ‘now I’ll have to shoot the poor idiot,’ he’d said just earlier. ‘Surely he ‘is’ joking,’ she wondered, a little frightened that maybe the Brit wasn’t kidding at all.

She glanced over at Spike who was still shooting death glares at Riley, then she glanced over at Riley who was still staring back at Spike, hatefully.

“Well, I’ve been here for about ten years, Miss Buffy,” Riley finally answered through gritted teeth, “You came out here about eight years ago, didn’t you Spike?”

Buffy dared a glance at Spike who just nodded sourly at Riley, but smiled warmly at her.

“Guess that makes me the guy that ‘got here’ first, huh?” Riley chuckled smugly as he watched Spike out of the corner of his eye.

“Not hardly, Finn,” Spike muttered back, apparently aware of the innuendo that Riley had meant, that Buffy had certainly caught too.

The rest of the afternoon went downhill after that. Buffy tried to get the two men to converse in some civil way, but the hatred they felt for each other was just too strong and her presence was not making it any better. She got the feeling that neither one of the men would leave as long as the other one was there and frankly, Buffy wasn’t sure which one she wanted gone first.

“My,” she finally gasped looking at the little clock on the mantel, “it’s almost 3:00 PM! I didn’t know time could fly so fast!”

Riley glared at Spike, again, who just sat smiling with the look of an angel on his handsome face.

With a sigh, the dark haired Riley stood up and extended his hand to Buffy, “I really must be going, Miss Buffy, my duty calls,” he offerred reluctantly.

“Yeah,” Spike piped up in good naturedly, finally warming up to Riley now that he was leaving, “the dreaded Snyder boys might be tipping over outhouses again. Better get over to the Sheriff’s office stake out the Snyder home.”

Riley actually growled at Spike and stepped closer to him in a menacing manner, “you know Giles,” the Deputy began, his jaw clenched tightly….Buffy jumped up and literally stood between the two men, shooting Spike a warning look, she smiled warmly at Riley.

“Thank you for coming by, Riley,” she patted his arm gently as she steered him to the front door.

“I’ll call again soon, Miss Buffy,” Riley stammered as he smirked at Spike.

Spike sat on the sofa, watching Buffy parade around that bloody moron, Riley Finn. ‘Good God,’ he hissed inwardly, even as he wore a grin for Buffy, ‘what the fuck does she see in that wooden, make believe hero, Riley Finn?’

Buffy turned around and glared at Spike, her arms folded in front of her. ‘Oh, oh,’ Spike sighed, realizing that he had really pissed off the little Princess.

“How dare you!” Buffy cried at him angrily, “how dare you come into my home and insult my guest!”

He stood up and approached Buffy quickly, “okay,” he sighed, “in my defense…”

She stomped her tiny booted foot, “you have no defense in this matter, Spike Giles!” she cried again and flounced over to the little table to clear the cups and serving tray.

Spike followed her into the kitchen and right up to the little sink, “Buffy,” he whined, manly like he hoped, “I’m sorry. But Riley Finn is a bloody ponce who hates my guts, sorry, and isn’t good enough to kiss your feet.”

She turned to glare at him again and he was surprised to see tiny tears in her beautiful emerald colored eyes, but he realized right off that they were tears of anger, at him.

“Don’t cry, luv,” he said softly as he tucked her hair behind her ear, something that was becoming a habit for him. He smiled tenderly at her then slowly leaned in to kiss her, right up against the kitchen counter she was backed up to.

When their lips met, Spike half expected Buffy to slap him, or at least push him away from her, but she didn’t. In fact, she actually kissed him back, kind of anyway. Spike would have just as soon kept kissing Buffy, but she finally broke away from him, dropping her eyes and blushing bright pink. With a grin, Spike leaned in again to pursue Buffy’s lush lips, but this time she broke our of his grasp and slipped past him, hurrying into the front room.

‘Bloody hell,’ he sighed and shook his head, following her back out into the front area again.

“Buffy,” he called to her back as she scurried to the front door. That’s when Spike heard the timid knocking and realized Buffy must have heard it before, he hadn’t.

‘So that’s why she left me standing, huh,’ he chuckled, ‘good to know she may not have wanted to stop, hmmm.’

Buffy threw the door open eagerly and found all three of the Rayne children standing on her front porch.

“Mama said we could come visit Cloud now, Miss Summers!” Ethan Jr. chortled excitedly while little Alise just nodded happily. Samuel Rayne just stared wide-eyed up at Buffy and then at Spike who had joined her and now stood behind her.

“Of course you can visit Cloud now,” Buffy grinned warmly, glancing back at Spike. He looked a tad dissapointed at the intrusion of the three tiny Rayne terrors, but he quickly smiled at the children too.

“You wanna’ pet Demon, Jr. “Spike asked the oldest Rayne boy, even as he reached around Buffy and tousled young Samuel’s blond curly hair. Ethan Jr. nodded with eagerness and ran over to where the two horses were tied, dragging Alise and Sammy with him.

“Look how big Demon is!” Buffy heard Ethan Jr. crow as the boy petted the black stallion.

She turned to look at a grinning Spike and all thoughts of her earlier anger at him left her, “thank you,” she said softly.

Spike rewarded her with a most charming smile and she felt her heart skip a beat, ‘oh no,’ she thought with alarm. ‘I think I’m in big trouble.’


A/N: Okay, long chapter, wanted to have Spike and Riley face each other in front of Buffy. I hope I captured some of the animosity these two men felt for each other, like in the show itself. The tea set seems trivial at this time, I know, but later in the plot it is important. Thanks for reading, please review.
Luv, Spuf
Chapter 8: 'Trouble at the School House' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 8: ‘Trouble At The School House’


Time passed quickly for Buffy Summers, once she had settled into her new house. Right off, she began her teaching lessons with Anya Harris, who arrived promptly at 1:00 PM twice a week at the school house to learn her letters and numbers. The pretty Mrs. Xander Harris was beginning to show, really show, her pregnancy and Buffy enjoyed watching the eager woman’s progression; learning wise and pregnancy wise.

It was now late August and school, regular school that is, would be starting soon. For the last few weeks, not only had Buffy been pursued, affection wise, by Riley Finn, but Spike Giles was never too far away from her. When Xander brought his wife into town for lessons, Spike usually came with him, using the excuse that his ranch hand needed company while Anya studied with Buffy.

Then there was the times, that Mr. Spike Giles showed up to see Buffy, soon dropping the ruse that he was bringing Demon to visit Cloud. Of course, Riley Finn was giving Spike a run for his money, no question. Riley and Buffy had a standing engagement at the Cheyenne Diner, every Saturday afternoon for supper.

Spike never gave Riley a break however, he wooed Buffy with the determination of a miner digging for gold. Once, for no reason at all, Spike showed up at Buffy’s house with a huge bouquet of flowers, from his Stepmother’s gardens no doubt, but carefully chosen and arranged to please her.

Buffy found herself looking forward to Spike’s visits when she would set out some coffee and biscuits for him, probably overlooking the proprieties of a single woman and how she should behave. However, Buffy always made sure an appropriate chaperone, an ‘objective’ one was close at hand, at least next door, whenever she received either Spike or Riley.

Buffy had come to the conclusion that it was best for her to be supervised, for conventions and reputations purposes, only, of course. He, Spike was constantly bringing little gifts to Buffy, a slim book of poetry, a box of chocolates and he never mentioned the competition that Riley was trying so hard to give him, not to her anyway.

It was almost as if Spike never really feared Riley’s rivalry for Buffy and Buffy soon realized that Mr. Giles believed what he had said from the start: “I’m a patient man, Buffy. Okay, I’m not, but for you I’ll make an exception. I’ll wait, I’m the long haul guy, no other man. You’ll come to your senses, some day.”

Besides, Buffy realized, right off, that Spike had a good mind, was well read and could recite Shakespeare from memory. ‘Now, just who the heck could reject a suitor like that?’ Not Buffy, that was for sure.

However, there was still that sticky little matter of Buffy’s guilt over Parker, her young late husband. Riley was ‘safe’ in Buffy’s mind, mainly because Spike was ‘who’ he was. The older, dark haired Riley seemed to pale in comparison to Spike Giles, personality wise and everything. This proved to be a tad bit scary for Buffy.

This afternoon, young Connor Giles and his friend Ford had come into town to help Buffy set up the remainder of the school house. Classes would be starting soon and the two young men had eagerly offerred their services in the school room. Xander Harris had brought Anya into town to pick up some readers Buffy wanted her to have, he and his wife had gone with Spike over to the Mercantile to get supplies.

It wasn’t as if Buffy could’t handle herself, she reasoned later on when all of the upheaval was over, but it was nice to know that Spike, Xander and even Connor had been close by when the trouble started at the school house that day.

She, Buffy, remembered it clearly, Ford had gone outside to gather some firewood for the little stove that was housed in the one room school house. He had not come back in a timely manner and Buffy, for some reason, had grown anxious, noticing that Connor kept glancing at the school house door, nervously.

Buffy thought she heard a slight commotion outside of the window and hurried to it to see what was going on.

What she saw scared her, of course, but it also angered her and she quickly turned to Connor, “go get your brother and Xander Harris,” she ordered the youngest Giles firmly. Connor rushed to the door of the school house, but looked at Buffy with apprehension, “is it Ford?” he asked fearfully. Buffy pointed to the door again, “go, Connor, get Spike and Xander, go fetch Riley, too. Now!”

Without another word, Connor scooted out the door as Buffy grabbed the long rifle she had wisely brought with her that morning and hung over her own desk on the wall. She checked to make sure the gun was loaded, it was, and she scurried out of the school house and straight to the old Willow tree behind the structure. There, she found poor Ford, surrounded by three men, ones Buffy had never seen before, being harrassed and pushed about.

“Hey Indian, don’t you work for the Giles family?” the tallest of the men taunted Ford as he pushed him over to one of the other men.

Buffy checked the safety on the rifle, raised it and rested it on her slim shoulder, just like a professional sharpeshooter, “take your hands off that boy,” she ordered the men before her.

The tall, dark headed bully turned to stare at her then burst into laughter, “what the…..” he exclaimed, “well, what do we have here?”

Buffy leveled her rifle right at the mouthy, albeit good looking man before her, “let the boy go,” she ordered again, more firmly then before. “You okay Ford?” she asked anxiously as the the young man hurried past the men and joined Buffy at her side.

When he reached her side, Ford nodded silently, he never said much, Buffy had noticed that before. It was at that moment that Spike, Xander and Connor reached the school house, their guns drawn.

“Why am I not surprised,” Spike muttered, taking his place next to Buffy and glaring at the mouthy stranger. “Thought you were going to make yourself scarce around here, Holden,” Spike said evenly, glancing over at Buffy with a proud look in his eye.

“You don’t own the fucking Territory, Giles,” this Holden snarled back, “I’ll come to Cheyenne whenever I damn well please.”

“I’m Holden Webster, Miss….” Buffy stiffened, finally lowering her rifle, settling her gaze on Spike who still stood with his gun leveled right at Holden’s chest.

“She could give a flying….” Spike answered for Buffy, stopping at the word that she could only imagine he had planned to say. ‘Webster,’ Buffy thought to herself, trying to remember where she had heard that name before, then it struck her. Webster was the name of Quentin Travers’ married sister, this must be the nephews of the man Spike had killed a few years prior.

“Sorry for the fucking word, Miss,” Holden grinned giving Buffy the twice over, “can’t help that I was raised like a wild animal.”

Spike snorted and Xander Harris, who stood at Buffy’s right, stifled a chuckle.

“Animal being the key word here, Holden,” Spike mumbled, eyeing the other two men with him.

“Who’s these two morons? Your cousins?”

Holden flinched and answered through clenched teeth, “my little brother, Tucker and that there is our help, Devon. Ford, huh,” Holden smirked at the young man who Buffy had rescued, “figures you and your family would hire Indian trash like that.”

Spike cocked his gun and growled low in his chest, “apologize, Webster,” he ordered, “to the lady and Ford here. Now.”

Spike was so pissed off by now, he actually hoped that Holden Webster would refuse to apologize, go for his gun at his side and force him into shooting the fuck dead.

“Apologize,” Spike ordered again, leveling his gun right at Holden’s head.

“I’m sorry, Miss,” Holden nodded at Buffy, “and you Ford,” he added reluctantly.

“Morons?” Spike looked over at Tucker and Devon, “you wanna’ add your apologies to Miss Summers and Ford?”

The two younger men apologized quickly, nervously eyeing Spike and Xander’s guns. Spike did not like the way Holden Webster or the other two fucks were eyeing his Buffy and really wished he had a good excuse to blow their stupid heads off.

“She your woman, Giles? Does the little school teacher belong to you?”

Holden asked with a smirk as he again had the nerve to look Buffy over, but before Spike could answere, Buffy snarled, “I belong to no man!”

Xander sighed, apparently aware that Spike was quite ready to blow a hole in Holden Webster’s ugly head and Buffy’s declaration of independence was not helping matters.

Again, Spike cocked the gun, leveled it at Holden’s head and sighed, “you know, mate, you are a bloody idiot. First you harrass a mere boy, real manly of you I might add, then you insult a true lady. A lady, by the way, who is probably a better shot then the three of you bloody morons put together. And could have blown you to hell in a second.”

Buffy smiled softly and dared a look at Spike, ‘he remembered,’ she thought proudly. She had told Spike, right away, that by the time she was thirteen, she could shoot better then half the men or boys in Greenville, Tennessee.

Hank Summers had insisted that his oldest, Buffy, learn to shoot a rifle, at least, and become proficient in it. Her Mother, Joyce Summers, had, at first, been horrified, but once Mammy Buffy had jumped on board with the idea, all was well and Mama had relented.

Buffy actually won a competition, just a few months before her wedding day. Another strike against her on Sally Abrams list. When Spike looked at Buffy, his blue eyes full of pride and admiration, she darn near went weak in the knees. Looking away from her number one fan, just to keep a strong face if nothing else, Buffy gave this Holden Webster a look to kill and was about to say something really witty and brave when Riley Finn came running up behind them.

“Buffy!” Riley cried with concern, stepping in between her and Spike who swore under his breath and rolled his eyes. “Are you all right, Buffy dear?” Riley asked, giving Spike the evil eye while he relieved Buffy of her rifle, gently.

“I can’t believe you would stand up to Holden Webster, Buffy. And over an Indian? What were you thinking darling?”

Riley patted Buffy on the head, ‘much like a puppy or errant child,’ Buffy thought, a stab of resentment shot through her.

“Ford is Connor’s friend, Riley,” Buffy said calmly, “these men were bothering him and I stopped them, nothing more. I mean, it is your duty as a Deputy to help people and keep the peace, right?”

Riley blushed red and averted his eyes from hers, “well, yeah, but an Indian? I mean Buffy, he’s certainly not worth….”

Buffy grabbed her gun from Riley’s hands and turned to go back into the school house, calling back to Holden and the other two men, “good day, sirs, it certainly was not a pleasure to meet any of you.”

Holden called back to her, “good day ‘little one’ and it certainly was a pleasure to meet ‘you’ I’m sure.”

When Buffy got back into the one room building, she sat down at a nearby desk and placed her head in her hands.

“I’m tired,” she sighed softly, “I’m really tired and sometimes I wonder if….” Then a thought hit her and she wondered out loud, “did Holden Webster just call me little one?”


A/N: A little quick chapter to throw a bunch of characters together and reveal the shooting skills of Buffy! I would also like to assure everyone that I am trying to be realistic about intolerance during this time period. I myself am part Native American and very proud of it, so please, no offense meant in this chapter. Please read this story, review if you like and any constructive criticism is, of course, welcome. Next chapter, there will be a ‘tender’ (?!) Spuffy moment, by a river no less! Thanks, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 8: Part II 'The Whole Package' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 8: Part II ‘The Whole Package’


Buffy was happy, okay, she was contented in Cheyenne. Funny thing about happiness, Mammy Buffy used to say, “happiness is an apple pie, each little slice of the pie is contentment. If you can have contentment, a piece at a time, then you’ll get the whole pie of happiness, eventually.” (okay, hokey, hokey, hokey!)

The little school teacher had survived the first month of regular school and it was going onto late September now. Cordelia Rayne, before the middle of August, had predicted an Indian Summer and apparently, the knowing woman was right. Even now, almost the end of September and the rather hot weather had held.

Which was probably why Buffy had saddled Cloud and ridden off to a the nearby river, well more of a really wild creek, but deep enough to bathe in. It was hot, well over the normal temperature, so Buffy had been told, for that time of year and this being a fine Saturday late morning, she decided to ride Cloud to a secluded spot she had found before.

For some reason, earlier that morning, Buffy had searched out Riley Finn and cancelled their regular supper engagement at the Cheyenne Diner. If he was hurt or dissapointed, Riley certainly didn’t show any sign of it. He just smiled politely and tipped his hat at Buffy, then went about his business like any other day.

‘Wonder if Riley is bothered by the walk Spike and I took about town the other day?’ she thought as she tied Cloud to a pine tree and began to quickly divest her body of her riding habit.

Every busy body, snoop or gossip in town must have seen Buffy and Spike strolling, arm in arm about Cheyenne, talking about nothing in particular. Not that Buffy was really concerned by Riley’s insecurity, even slow Riley must have realized that Spike offerred a true threat to him.

Again, Buffy was not really concerned about Riley’s insecurities or doubts, no man owned her. Not Riley and not even Spike Giles, at least not really…..

Buffy had an open invitation to the Gile’s ranch, every Sunday and she was sure that Riley realized that she was not just going out there to visit with Rupert and Jenny. Spike and Connor, or Angel always accompanied her out and back by sunset of course, so everyone, who was anyone in Cheyenne was well aware that Buffy was being courted by Spike also.

As she shrugged out of her blouse and stripped down to her pantelettes, glancing about to make sure she was totally alone, Buffy thought about her suppers at the Giles, warmly. She dipped her right foot into the cool, inviting water and shivered in delight, “mmmmm” she sighed as she slipped into the water up to her upper chest. Good thing she ‘was’ alone, Buffy had stripped down to only her pantelettes, nothing more; from waist up, she was stark naked.

Swimming out into the cool, blue water, Buffy let the current sweep over and about her body, easing the tension in her and cooling off her heated flesh.

“Well,” came a deep British voice from the sandy bank, “there’s a lovely sight now.”

Buffy’s eyes flew open and she spied Spike sitting on Demon, just a few feet from the water’s edge, his patent smirk on his handsome face.

“What are you doing here?” Buffy gasped as she threw her arms across her bare chest, protectively, even though it was submerged in the water.

“Following you, Princess,” Spike chuckled as he slipped off his horse and tied Demon’s reigns onto the same pine tree that Cloud was secured to. The huge black stallion immediately nuzzled up to his Palimino love, causing Buffy to soften her demeanor.

“Gosh,” she sighed, dreamily, watching the two horses actually cuddle with each other, even as Spike began to methodically strip his clothing off of himself.

“What are you doing!” Buffy gasped again, eying Spike warily as he stripped down to his shorts.

“Taking a bath in the river,” he said simply as he sauntered into the cool water to join her.

“Get out of here!” she cried desperately, searching about for an escape route and finding none. The only way out was to go was right past Spike and Buffy wasn’t going there, not for a million dollars!

“Why?” Spike asked innocently, “it’s a free country. You Yanks won the war, remember? Can’t I bathe where I want? Thought your founding Fathers made sure that every man, woman and child got to pursue happiness and all that rot. That only apply to natural born Americans?”

Buffy was blushing bright red, so bright in fact that she felt like her face was on fire.

“Spike,” she hissed, backing further into the river and the current, “I’m warning you, get out of here. And, what ‘are’ you doing here anyway?”

Buffy was angry, yes, but she was something else too, a feeling deep down inside of her that she’d never felt before and it terrified her.

“Told you,” Spike said with a straight face, “I’m joining you for a swim, a bath, a well, whatever. I followed you, of course, because you insist on flying in the face of danger and good sense. I mean, Princess, you don’t just ride off into the prairie. Especially with trash like the Websters and God knows who else running around here. Riley Finn might be overcome with lust and attack you, after all. Can’t have that, can we?”

Spike grinned at Buffy, who averted her green eyes from him and backed another foot out into the water. “I wouldn’t do that, luv,” Spike advised in earnest, “any farther and I’ll have to save your luscious little arse from the dreaded North Fork current. I don’t mind, of course, but the folks in Cheyenne might be a bit disconcerted, their virtuous school teacher coming back half dressed, half drowned, carried by me, the scoundrel that I am.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and sighed in exasperation. “I don’t suppose that if I ask you to turn your head, let me get out and dress that you’ll abide by my request?” Her question was filled with hope, but it sounded a bit wistful, or so she thought anyway.

Spike smirked at Buffy and winked, “no, I don’t suppose I would do that,” he chuckled. “But, I’ll be glad to fetch your clothes for you, as long as you meet me on the bank, that is, so I can hand them over to you,” he added with another smirk.

Buffy stood up to her full 5’1” height and stuck out her defiant chin, “you, Spike, are a pig!” she stated firmly as she tried to slip past him and out of the water.

“Oink!” he retorted and grabbed her arm just as she passed by him, pulling her to his wet, icy body. “Tell, me something, Buffy,” Spike rasped even while he clung to her half naked body, possessively, their eyes locked together, “when the good Riley Finn, Deputy of the Righteous, Idiot of Idiots kisses you, do you feel like this?”

Before she could answer, Spike crushed his cool lips on hers and began to ravish her mouth hungrily.

‘No,’ Buffy thought, or didn’t think at least rationally, ‘I don’t feel anything like this, but then again, Riley never kisses me like this, not ever.’

It was true, the closest kiss Riley ever gave Buffy was a chaste peck on her hand or cheek. “Uhm, I…”Buffy tried to say something, her mouth muffled against Spike’s the way it was.

“I’ll answer for you,” Spike mumbled when he broke away from the kiss, reluctantly, “you don’t feel a bloody thing for Riley Finn and you know it.”

Before Buffy could give any kind of response, defend herself, her virtue, any of it, Spike swept her up in his strong arms and strode out of the water with her. They never broke their next kiss, Buffy tried not to remember that she was bare from her waist up and Spike, who was headed towards Demon with a purpose, didn’t utilize her vulnerable nakedness in his favor. Why should he? He could do that in a moment or two, after he had ripped the blanket roll from Demon’s saddle with his right hand, holding Buffy up with his left arm.

In one movement, he unfurled the blanket and lowered Buffy down onto the wool material, covering her with his own damp half naked body.

“Spike, I….” Buffy stammered, finally as he covered her with his body and pulled the blanket about them, shielding them from the air.

“You what?” he asked her with his honest blue eyes. “I, we, you and me, we can’t do this,” Buffy murmered, burying her face into his neck, too embarrassed to face him at the moment.

“Do what, Princess,” he whispered as he licked the drops of river water from her face and neck. “Touch each other? Kiss each other, feel each other, together?”

Buffy tensed up and began to tremble against Spike’s body, “any of it,” she groaned against him.

“I won’t do anything you don’t want me to, Buffy,” he assured her, bringing her chin up so her green eyes could meet his blue ones. “I just want to be close to you right now, sweetheart, please let me be. I’ve waited for so long. Just to be with you, alone, like this.”

She searched his beautiful indigo eyes for the truth and found it, he was being honest with her. Spike just wanted to be together, alone and close, even if they were both wet as drowned rats, though, Buffy was feeling quite vulnerable and very ‘cozy’ with him right now.

“Hmmm,” Buffy hummed as she allowed him to kiss her once again, “so long? Spike,” she sighed against his mouth, “we’ve known each other for less then three months. That’s not long, it’s a second in time.”

“Not to me,” Spike whispered against her cheek, nuzzling her with his mouth, “to me I’ve waited a life time for you. Things happen fast out here Buffy, it doesn’t matter if you’ve known each other a week or a year, if you’re meant to be, that’s it. You are.”

Buffy snuggled up into him and Spike felt a surge of hope shoot through him, “I followed you for this, Buffy,” he admitted, running his tongue down her jaw to her neck, enjoying her purrs of pleasure, “I watched you and followed you out here. To make sure you were all right, true enough, but also because I want you, need you and you need me, Buffy. You just don’t know it yet. But I said it before, I can be patient where you’re concerned, and I have been, will continue to be. When it’s time, when you’ve come to the conclusion that you and I do belong together, it’ll happen.”

“Just snuggling, then?” she asked shyly, with huge emerald eyes.

Spike felt a major tug at his heart and swallowed hard before he responded, huskily, “just snuggling, if that’s all you want to do…for now anyway.”

Buffy smiled softly and buried her head into his chest, allowing him access to her damp golden hair with his right hand, while his left arm spooned about her tiny waist and held her to him. He tried not to think, too much, about how their chests pressed against each others, or that she had beautiful, large breasts for such a little thing. Her heartbeat matched his in rhythm and he almost felt like they could fall asleep together, right there, to the music that their hearts and surrounding nature provided them. Spike felt Buffy’s golden lashes,half closed against his now warm skin and realized that he’d never felt so comfortable or complete in his life. Nuzzling his lips into the top of her soft golden head, he fought to keep his eyes completely open; they were out in the open country for God’s sake, anyone could wander by.

‘Yeah, right,’ he chuckled in his head, ‘you made damn sure no one would wander by, didn’t you Spike.’ When Buffy sighed in contentment against his neck, that’s when Spike’s dilema, the battle in his head , really began.

On one side of his mind, his Saint or ‘good Spike’ oh hell, his conscious he supposed, was just gushing: “you should be proud of yourself, Spike. Stay patient, Buffy’ll come around then you can have everything you want. Her, your life together, a passel of little rug rats, everything you see in your future when you look at her!”

But, on the other hand, or side of his mind, his ‘Devil’s advocate’ or ‘dark Spike’ sneered at him, taunted him: “oh bloody hell, mate! Are you a man or a mouse? Take her right now! She’s so fucking close, all’s you have to do is slip those dainty little knickers off of her, talk her into spreading those long lush legs and bury your cock right into that heat ‘we’ feel coming from her sweet little cunny. I mean, Spikey old boy, just think of it…..say you take her now? Maybe you get lucky and she gets pregnant the first go? You’re in like a shot (pun here) and she’ll have to marry you then, right? Come on…” dark Spike chuckled evilly, “just cajole the little beauty into letting you in. You don’t ‘have’ to force her, just sweet talk her into it. Fuck, you’re both half naked now! Think how easy it would be to just ease right into her, make her yours. Come to think of it, I’m demanding that you shag her senseless! I’m part of this too…hey, but first suck her neck until you leave your mark on her, show your claim once and for all. Such a delicious little neck, innit it? So inviting, but think how inviting her…”

‘Christ!’ Spike hissed silently, ‘would both of you just shut the fuck up and let me rest!’

The Saint and Sinner sides of his tired mind finally shut their mouths and Spike went back to resting with Buffy, cuddling her even closer to him, breathing in the scent of her golden hair that splayed across his chest.

“This is nice,” she sighed again and he could feel her little smile against his neck, even as he felt her warm, inviting bare breasts against his chest.

“That it is sweetheart,” Spike murmered into her ear, smiling softly against her cheek.

Buffy lay so still against Spike, she never felt so secure or safe in her life, not ever before. Spike just held her close and stroked her hair softly, murmering such nice things in her ear. Without warning, his hand slipped form her damp hair and brushed against her breast lightly, causing her to near moan in pleasure. Before she could stop herself, Buffy sighed deeply, and snuggled against Spike even more, which, unfortunately, must have given him the wrong signal.

He reached back up and began to trace small circles, light as feathers, around her nipple, apparently thinking that she would continue to moan in delight.

“Oh, Good Lord!” she cried in horror, “what are we doing?” Buffy pulled away from Spike violently and bolted up out of the blanket, too ashamed of herself to even look back down at him. She ran for her clothes that she’d left folded on a nearby bush, not even taking time to cover her bare chest properly with her arms.

“Oh, God,” she groaned as she slipped on her chamise, finally daring a look at Spike who had also left the warmth of the blanket and was headed straight for her.

“Do you mind telling me what the bloody hell that was about!” he growled at her as she cringed back from him.

“That was me being stupid,” she explained, reaching for her blouse and riding skirt. “Stupid, stupid, stupid, Buffy!” she chanted as she slipped on her blouse and skirt quickly, searching about for her boots.

“Stupid?” he asked, his arms crossed over his own bare chest, “why, cos’ we were enjoying each other?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and picked up the boots from nearby, pulling them on one at a time, even as she stood.

“You wouldn’t understand,” she explained roughly with a shake of her head. “I’m not one of Maggie’s girls, Spike,” she sighed, unable to look at him, again, “I can’t roll around in a blanket with you, paid or not, that makes me a whore. Simple as that. And, I’m not a whore.”

She stared him straight in the eyes when she made that little announcement, making sure he understood where she was coming from.

“I see,” Spike growled again, as he grabbed her slim arm in his strong hand, “you think, I think you’re a whore then?”

Buffy didn’t struggle from him, just looked at the ground, red faced and ashamed. “I didn’t say that you think I’m a whore, Spike,” she answered softly, still focusing on her booted toes.

“Well I hope to bloody hell not!” he cried harshly, pulling her chin up to meet his eyes.

Her green eyes were damp with tears and it hurt him to see her like this, so torn and confused, for whatever reason. There was something deep inside his Buffy, some old hurt or loss, besides her young husband’s death that was troubling her, causing her to not be able to go on in her life, as she should. ‘I’ve an idea, Missy,’ he thought silently, ‘I’ve a real idea what it is that hurts you so, stops you from getting closer to me. But, I can deal with it. I will deal with it and I’ll help you get over it, I swear.’

“Buffy,” he murmered, gazing into her emerald eyes, “I’m going to say something to you, tell you something and it’s important that you understand, believe me. Okay?”

She looked at him shyly, another blush covered her face and neck, but she nodded that she would do as he said.

“Okay,” Spike began softly, “I’m not interested in saloon girls or any other girl besides you. As far as Maggies and the whores there, men go there, pay for sex, mere business transactions, that’s all. I don’t want paid for sex, Buffy, not anymore. For the record, I haven’t been to Maggies, or any other place, for ‘that’ since the afternoon I kissed you in your kitchen. The day we moved you in. I want you, the whole package, not just a tumble in the hay with you, but everything that goes with marriage, family and home. Do you believe me?”

He held his breath and kept her gaze with his. Just as he was about to give up any hope of getting all this through to her, she delighted him by nodding her head and whispering shyly, “yes, I believe you.”

“Okay then,” he sighed in relief, tucking her loose hair behind her right ear tenderly, “that settled, I’m going to say something else. I don’t want you seeing Riley Finn anymore, at all, actually, but since you are going to do what you want, stubborn little chit that you are, I don’t expect you’ll listen to me. Will you?”

Buffy shook her head, “no, Spike, I’m sorry, but Riley does respect me, he’s a good man. Bit of an intolerant man, I’ll grant you that, but he’s had a hard life and a sad childhood. I don’t just want to hurt the poor guy, send him off when he has done nothing wrong to me.”

Spike nodded his head slowly, trying to fight the jealous anger that rushed up to his throat, “okay, I’ll ‘have’ to accept that, but….” And now he sighed again, still trying to calm his jealousy down, say the right things to Buffy, “but just know this. When you finally realize what a hopeless idiot Riley is, how he’s not the right guy for you, that ‘I’ am, then I’ll be waiting. Again, I’m learning a lot of patience because of you and I’ll wait for you, forever, if I have to. Do you understand ‘that’ Buffy?”

Buffy couldn’t speak, she just nodded again, keeping her eyes averted from Spike’s gorgeous, honest blue ones.

“Okay,” she whispered, “but Spike, I don’t think we, you and I should be alone, ‘alone’ again for a while. I seem to lose my common sense when you’re about and a friend or family member is not close by. Do you understand that?”

Spike sighed loudly, then chuckled, forcing her chin up to make her meet his gaze again, “I understand. Don’t like it, hate it actually, but I understand. Like I said, Princess, I can be patient and wait. However, you ‘are’ coming for dinner tomorrow right? I’ll even bring Wesley and Dru with me to escort you out to the ranch. They’re leaving next week, back to England and Dru will just kill me if I’ve ruined your visits to the ranch by my rather, uhm, brutish behavior?”

Buffy smiled up at him, he was trying to be so nice, so gentlemanly, so ‘safe’ for her at least.

“Of course I’m coming to say goodbye to Dru and Wesley,” she assured him with a giggle as she slipped out of his grasp. Mounting Cloud she waved a spry goodbye to Spike and trotted off home, “see you and yours tomorrow, Spike!” she called back to him as she rode off.

Spike watched the love of his life ride off from him, her long golden hair flying in the wind as she spurred Cloud on.

“Christ,” he sighed deeply, fishing about in his pocket for a smoke, “chit’s gonna’ be the death of me!”

He realized at that moment that he had never put any of his clothes back on and the thought made him grin. As he lit the cigarette and took his first drag, Spike thought about Buffy, snuggled up against him, their bare chests pressed so close together.

‘Perfect,’ he murmered to himself, ‘absolutely perfect. A perfect fit, she is to me.’

He picked up the rest of his clothes and began to dress slowly, smirking all the while, “but she is definitely going to be the death of me!”



A/N: Long chapter, most of them probably will be. Please stay with the story, I promise it will get better and more exciting, more Spuffy to come. Thanks for reading and please review. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 9: 'Mail From Home' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 9: ‘Mail From Home’


Buffy busied herself, cleaning up the school room, even as young Andrew Snyder cleaned the chalk erasers for her. It was a Wednesday in middle October and Buffy had just finished the last hour of school for the day.

“I’m about done, Miss Summers,” the fifteen-year-old said eagerly, “is there anything else I can do before I head home?”

The Teacher smiled warmly at Andrew, he was one of her brightest students, showed real potential for his numbers and Buffy thought he might be a good business man, eventually.

“No,” Buffy sighed wearily, “we are pretty much finished up here, Andrew. Thank you for all of your help, you really come through for me and I do appreciate it. Head on home and say hi to your Mother and Father for me.”

Andrew brushed the excess chalk residue off of his hands and waved goodbye to Buffy, scurrying off to finish his home chores. After the student had left, Buffy threw her wrap over her shoulders, the weather had cooled considerably in the last couple of weeks.

‘It was just a last month that the weather was hot,’ Buffy mused, remembering the little ‘scene’ at the river with Spike.

She couldn’t help herself, Buffy blushed just thinking about that afternoon with Spike when she’d almost let him do things that she certainly should not have. Since then, she’d seen Spike, of course, going to the Gile’s for Sunday supper, always escorted by him and Drusilla or Connor. Spike had dropped by a few times by the school house and her home, but he always had Connor or Angel with him, respecting her wishes that they not be alone together.

‘Can’t imagine what the Gile’s family must think!’ she chuckled as she closed the front door of the school house and headed home.

Riley was supposed to stop by her house that evening, before his watch at the jail house and Buffy was just a little apprehensive about that. Lately, the few times they had seen each other, Riley was more aggressive then usual with Buffy.

Last time Riley had walked her home from the Diner, he’d bent to kiss her goodnight on the front porch and when she turned to offer her cheek, as usual, he grabbed her chin and positioned her lips to meet his. Buffy, who was surprised to say the least, was also a tad dissapointed in the kiss. She had felt absolutely no sparkage or flow of passion at all, certainly nothing like she felt when Spike kissed her.

“I’m an idiot,” Buffy sighed, shuffling slowly home down the dusty road. “I’m playing stupid coy, silly flirty games that I’m not good at and don’t really want to be.”

Buffy was supposed to stop by the Mercantile and see Willow, there was a package for her from home and Daniel had brought it earlier that day. Johnathan Rosenberg, who was Willow’s cousin and her Uncle Saul’s only son from his first marriage, had run the message down to Buffy earlier that day.

There was a package and two letters from Greenville waiting for her at the Mercantile, with Willow.

“Hi Buffy!” Willow called to her as she slipped into the Mercantile, “I’ve got quite a lot for you today!” the red head hurried over with the package and letters.

“I hope it’s good news,” she nodded at the mail while eyeing the package with curiosity.

“Okay, Willow,” Buffy giggled, “I’ll open the package here, but the letters I’m reading at home, after supper, a bath and some tea. And, my dear,” Buffy continued to scold Willow lovingly, “isn’t it about time you stayed at home. You look like you’re about to pop with that little baby!”

Willow giggled, “Doc Wilkens is close by, Buffy. I’ll be fine when the little pumkin comes out!”

Both the young women giggled loudly and sat down to open Buffy’s mysterious package.

‘Meanwhile back at the (Giles’) Ranch:

Spike sat looking out the window of the dining room while his family chatted amicably about the table. Dinner was over, but the boys, Angel, Connor and himself sat over coffee and discussed some ranch business with their Father, Rupert Giles.

If Spike was remotely interested in the conversation, he certainly didn’t show it, he was too intent on staring out the window and thinking about Buffy Summers. Later that night, Spike and Angel were going to go into town, have a drink and play cards at the Silver Spur.

Well, at least Spike was going to do that, Angel, no doubt would end up at Maggies’ with one of the whores for hire, probably Amy. Since Spike was no longer interested in whores or any other female besides Buffy, he would hang out at one of the other saloons in town, drink until he couldn't see straight, but hopefully win a lot of money from some unsuspecting card players from town. Spike was good at a lot of things, poker was definitely one of them.

“So,” Rupert was saying, “you think it’s going to be a warmer winter William?”

Spike just stared out the window, missing his Father’s question altogether.

“So,” Rupert cleared his throat and spoke louder, “you think your brother, Connor, should attend Oxford University?”

Again, Spike ignored his Father as if he’d said nothing.

“So!” Rupert said even louder, “what do you think that we should buy Buffy and Riley Finn for a wedding present, William?”

That got Spike’s attention, “What the bloody hell are you talking about?” he growled with a frown at his old man. All three of the other males broke out into roars of laughter.

“I’m talking about how you are in love with Buffy Summers and just wondering what the bloody hell you intend on doing about it?”

Rupert smiled wryly at his oldest son, “if you don’t make your move soon, son,” the Father scrunched up his brows, “you might just watch her walk down the aisle with that wanker Riley Finn. What do you think of that?”

Spike glanced around the table at his Father and brothers, “I think,” he said with a smirk, “that before I let Buffy marry Riley Finn, or any other bloke for that matter, that I’ll kidnap her, ravish her and make her come to her senses,” he only half joked.

Rupert Giles grinned at his oldest son, “good show, son. I always knew you had it in you boy!” This time, all of the men at the table roared with laughter.

Riley Finn was shuffling about Buffy’s front porch, that ‘aw shucks’ expression on his handsome face, which was quite wearing thin with her by now.

“Thank you for stopping by tonight, Riley,” Buffy said somewhat impatiently, “I always feel better when you check up on me. Make sure I’m okay and all.”

The tall dark man grinned happily, but then frowned slightly, “I was wondering, Buffy,” he stammered.

Buffy bit her lower lip, ‘this doesn’t sound good,’ she thought nervously.

“Wondering?” she asked brightly, even though it was a faked smile she showed Riley.

“I, well,” Riley paused, “I’ll just come out and ask it. Do you care for Spike Giles Buffy?”

‘Oh, just great!’ Buffy sighed to herself, ‘now I suppose Riley’ll tell me I can’t visit with Spike anymore! Geez, Men!’

Riley looked at her so earnestly, his big brown eyes were clouded with doubt and confusion.

“I do care for Spike,” Buffy finally answered honestly, “he’s a good man, Riley. He and I, we have some things in common, I truly enjoy discussing certain things with him. And of course, he and his family have been very good to me.”

With a scowl, Riley shook his dark head, “I guess, Buffy,” he sighed in frustration, “but I can’t help thinking that maybe he’s not ‘safe’ you know?”

Buffy raised her right eyebrow, “safe?” she asked, confused herself now.

“Well,” Riley began cautiously, “I guess, I mean, he is a murderer and his family is the richest in the Territory. I don’t know, guess I’m afraid he might turn your head or something that is.”

Riley finished with a whimper, apparently he finally noticed that Buffy was no longer smiling at him.

Buffy tensed up, but tried to keep her famous temper in check. “Well, Riley,” she began carefully, “first off, I don’t feel that Spike is a murderer, I think everyone around here pretty much figured that one out. And, as far as safe, Spike has always been a gentleman to me (liar, liar, Buffy! She hissed to herself), and again, his family has been good to me. Actually,” she hesitated, scrunching up her brows thoughtfully, “it’s really none of your businsess, Spike, me and the Giles’ family. I mean, I certainly don’t discuss your’s and my friendship with them, so…”

Riley hung his head in shame, “I’m sorry Buffy,” he sighed again, “just a little insecure about Spike, the Gile’s, a lot of things I guess.”

He shot her a ‘puppy dog’ look that tugged at her heart and made her feel less then worthy of Riley’s friendship.

“It’s okay, I understand,” she replied with another warm smile. “I think it’s time for your watch, wouldn’t want you to be late, Riley,” she offerred with a wink.

When he leaned down to kiss her, Buffy turned her cheek to him quickly, “night Buffy,” Riley sighed as he sauntered off by himself.

“Good night Riley,” Buffy called as she turned to go back inside her home to reread the disturbing letters from home.

Spike had been sitting at a poker table in the Silver Spur for over an hour now, while his little brother, Angel, was over at Maggies enjoying the company of Amy, at least he supposed so anyway. Taking another gulp of beer, Spike glanced at his pocket watch then nodded at the man that set across the table from him.

“Well?” he asked with a grin to Sam Jenkins, the man who had just called him on his bet.

“Three Jacks,” Sam grinned smugly with a daring look at Spike.

Spike grinned even wider, “three Kings,” he laid down the royalty cards in his hands.

“Oh fuck!” Sam grumbled, throwing fifty dollars out on the table.

“How about another go?” Bill, the local Undertaker asked eagerly.

“Nah,” Spike chuckled, “I’m done for the night.”

He swept his winnings into his right hand with his left one and gave the five men at the table a saintly smile, “til next time, mates,” he assured them as he left the table and the saloon.

As Spike sauntered down Main Street, he ran smack dab into his younger brother, Angel, just returning from a tumble with one of Maggie’s girls.

“Done so soon?” Spike chuckled as he lit a cigarette and took a deep, satisfying drag.

“Took long enough,” Angel smirked back at his brother, taking one of Spike’s cigarettes for himself.

“I’m going down to the Silver Spur, gonna’ have a drink and play some cards,” Angel continued glancing off down the dark street, “wanna come back with me? See if we can take these local losers for their bread money?”

Spike shook his head, “nah, I’m done for the night. Thought I’d take a walk, past Buffy’s place.”

The older brother looked longingly down the street to where Buffy’s house sat in between the Rayne’s and Jenkins houses.

“Hey,” that reminds me, Angel said, his dark brows scrunched together in thought. “When I was leavin’ Amy’s room, guess who I saw goin’ into Faith’s room?”

Angel studied his older brother, perhaps a bit unsure if he should relay this information he had to him.

“Who?” Spike shrugged indifferently.

“Riley Finn,” Angel answered quickly, looking away from his older brother. “What the fuck!” Spike growled, “that fucking bastard!”

Angel grabbed Spike’s arm, “look big brother,” he scowled, “just because you choose to live like a monk and wait for Buffy, doesn’t mean Riley’s up to it. Besides, at least it’s pretty clear that the good Deputy is not getting any closer to Buffy Summer’s virtue then you are, right?”

Spike grimaced, but his little brother had a point. Not that he, Spike, had any doubt that Buffy had done little more then allow Riley to kiss her hand or cheek, still, it was kind of nice to know this little secret of pompous, pious Deputy Finn.

“True,” Spike finally sighed, taking another long drag of his smoke.

“You know,” Angel began thoughtfully with a devlish grin, “you could go tell the lovely Buffy all about Riley’s outside activities. Clear a bigger path for you to Buffy, huh?”

Spike frowned then shook his head, “no,” he stated firmly. “It might hurt Buffy’s pride and that’s very important to her, pride that is. She’s got something brewing around in her pretty little head, something that troubles her, Angel, I don’t want her thinking that it’s her fault, well, that Riley goes to whores. It’s enough for Buffy to know that ‘I’ don’t go to whores and other women, I don’t want her hurt or humiliated by Riley or anyone else.”

Angel gave his brother a look of pure admiration, “you’re a hell of a guy, you know that Spike?” he smiled and patted the older man’s shoulder.

“Thanks,” Spike grinned at Angel, “just hope Buffy realizes that soon.”

Spike looked back down the Main street, to the place where Buffy’s little house sat, “I’ll be back to fetch you in an hour or so, Angel,” he told his younger brother, “good luck at cards.”

With that, Spike stubbed out his cigarette with his black boot and strode off down to Buffy's house. ‘If she doesn’t let me in the place,’ he surmised, ‘I’ll just fucking hang around outside, throw stones at her window, until I wake up the neighborhood.’

Buffy sat out on her front porch swing, looking up at the night stars above her. Xander Harris, at his wife Anya’s insistence, had put together the little wooden porch swing for Buffy. Anya was constantly coming up with new ways to repay Buffy for her kindness and teaching her the ABC’s and math numbers.

“Buffy doesn’t have to do this, Xander,” Anya had explained right in front of Buffy, “I want to do something for her, make things nice here for her.”

Buffy had sewn up some pillows for the swing and used it to receive both her gentlemen callers whenever they stopped by. Tonight, she was alone, having read the troubling letters from Tennessee and sending Riley off earlier to his watch at the jailhouse.

‘Maybe Riley’s kiss was so uhm, bland,’ she pondered as she sipped her tea, ‘because my mind is on the letters from Mama and Papa…and Dawnie.’

She sighed and stared up at the stars above her, “funny,” she thought out loud, “but the stars here seem even closer at night then they do at home. Could almost reach out and touch them.”

Buffy heard a noise at the gate of her picket fence.

“Evening, Princess,” Spike greeted softly as he leaned up against the white wooded fence that surrounded her front yard.

“Hi, Spike,” she smiled warmly, automatically forgetting the ‘no alone’ rule she had imposed just weeks before for them. Waving him into the yard, Buffy stood up from the swing and adjusted her little blue dress, smoothing out the wrinkles she had gotten from sitting and musing for so long.

The smile on Spike’s face warmed Buffy’s heart and sent a shiver through her body, one that she would rather try and ignore, but couldn’t seem to. Spike sauntered up to the porch his grin was infectuous and Buffy could not help but smile back at him.

“Have a seat, Spike,” she pointed at the porch swing. “I don’t suppose you’d maybe like a little glass of brandy? I’m having one myself, that is if you promise not tell anyone that their school teacher imbibes sometimes?”

She grinned mischieviously at the handsome man and turned to go into the house.

“I’d love a brandy, luv,” he purred as he plopped down on the swing, “and of course, your secret is safe with me.”

Spike waited impatiently for Buffy to return. It wasn’t that he gave a rat’s arse for the brandy, not really, but he wanted to spend time with Buffy, even if it was in plain view of the neighbors, out on her little porch. Buffy hurried out to the swing, handing him his glass and sitting down next to him on the swing with a frustrated sigh.

“What’s wrong Buffy?” Spike asked, genuinely concerned as he sipped the brandy and eyed her up and down.

“Oh,” Buffy sighed again looking down at her glass, “it’s my little sister. It’s Dawn.”

He lowered the glass from his lips and looked at Buffy with real concern, “is your little sis okay, Buffy?” he asked.

She remained quiet for a minute, but then shook her blond, gorgeous head and said softly, “no. Well, yes and no. Tell me something Spike. Does Connor ever tell you what Dawn and he write to each other about in their letters? I know they correspond, but does he ever say?”

Spike shook his head, “no,” he replied honestly, “I mean he mentions that she writes and all, but never what’s in the letters. Why?”

“I got two letters from home today,” Buffy scowled. “One was from my parents, the other was from Dawn. Apparently, Dawn is giving my folks the fits about some things and I’m afraid it is only going to get worse. My Papa, he wants me to move home and…..”

Spike bolted up from the swing, “like hell!” he cried adamantly, “you are not going back to Tennessee!”

Buffy couldn’t help it, she saw the look of determination on Spike’s face and had to laugh, “no,” she assured him with another chuckle, “I am certainly not going back to Tennessee. But,” she continued as Spike sat back down on the swing with a blush, “I’m going to have to come to some understanding with Papa, Mama and Dawnie. A compromise that I think we can all live with. I’m glad you’re here, Spike,” she patted his arm gently, “I need to ask your opinion and believe it or not, I do value that.”

He smiled at her and pulled a cigarette out of his pocket, “do you mind, luv?” he asked politely. She shook her head no and he lit it up, watching her intently.

“It seems that Dawn has gotten it in her pretty little head to,” and Buffy stopped to sigh in exhasperation, “to join an acting troupe that passed through Greenville recently.”

Spike raised his right eye brow and smirked a little, causing Buffy to grimace, “it’s not funny Spike,” she scolded him, “I don’t know how Cheyenne takes actors and actresses, but in Greenville? Brother! They are right up there with prostitutes and scoundrels!”

She blushed profusely in embarrassment at her words.

He nodded, “I suppose my old man would have thrown a fit if Dru had’ve wanted to prance around the London stage and all.”

Buffy nodded, “yes, he would have had a fit, but here’s the thing. Dawnie is claiming that she is being stifled in Greenville, told Papa and Mama that if she can’t break out of that boring town, she would just have to join the troupe, make a new, more exciting life for herself. Scares us all, Dawn can be quite high strung and bull headed! Can’t imagine where she gets all this nerve and stubborness,” Buffy sighed, squinting her brows together again.

“Can’t imagine,” Spike chuckled, tucking one of her golden strands behind her closest ear.

“Seriously, Spike,” Buffy scowled again, “this is serious and very scary, especially for Papa. What I’ve come up with is this; I thought I would have Papa and Mama bring Dawn out here, for a while anyway. Maybe until after the Holidays. Of course, they, my parents, would have to go home soon, but Dawnie could stay, help out in the school, find out some things about life out here. Might do her some good. What I want to know is, what do you think?”

Spike thought about this for a while, “well,” he mumbled, “it might do the girl some good. Get her out here, with you, help her grow up and learn a bit about real life. You’d make a great Mum, Buffy, at least a great surrogate Mum for your little sis. I know Connor would just love this idea!”

He grinned at Buffy who rolled her beautiful green eyes at him, “yes,” she giggled softly, “he would, wouldn’t he?”

They sat in comfortable silence for a moment or two, then Spike said, “I spose Dad and Jennifer could be persuaded to sponsor Dawn out here, talk to your folks too. They just love the Summer’s women you know?”

He smiled tenderly at Buffy, again tucking another blond tress behind her ear, “you seem to have cast a spell over the Gile’s men, at least ‘you’ have this one, Buffy.”

Buffy tensed up for a minute, then seemed to relax and kind of lean back into the swing cushions, “so, you think I can maybe handle Dawn?” she asked, her green eyes wide with trepidation.

“Buffy,” Spike murmered, leaning into her sweet face until he was just inches from it, “I think ‘you’ could handle the Hole in the Wall Gang, on their worst day if you wanted to.”

He reached over and took Buffy’s tiny hand in his own, delighted when she didn’t pull it away right off.


A/N: Well, I know, another too long chapter and a real hokey, fantastic way to get Dawn out to Cheyenne, Wyoming with Buffy. But, this is fantasy and as spoiled and head strong was Dawn was in the show, I thought it wouldn’t be too far-fetched. I hope people are keeping with this story, it will get more and more Spuffy, promise. Let’s face it, the minute that Buffy hit Cheyenne, Riley, Holden and the other guys didn’t have a chance with her! Thanks, please read and review if you like, Luv, Spuf.
Chapter 9: Part II 'Family' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM



Chapter 9: Part II ‘Family’


A/N: I’m speeding things up a bit here, going ahead in time by days and weeks. If I don’t, this fiction will end up longer than my last ones! Thanks,
Luv, S


Buffy Summers waited nervously in the Cheyenne Train Station office, her eyes strained out to the East, searching for the next train. Daniel Osbourne sat behind his desk doing some kind of paper work, but occasionally glanced up at Buffy, giving her his big grin, “it’s hard to wait, in the end, huh?” he chuckled warmly.

She nodded impatiently, “yes, but it’s more then that Daniel,” she admitted shyly, “I’m still not sure that Papa is going to bring Dawn out here, then ‘not try’ to talk me into going right back with them. I never did tell anyone at home about the train robbery that happened while I was headed here.”

Rupert and Jennifer Giles took that moment to come into the station office, followed by Spike and Angel. Connor was still outside, standing on some crates by the tracks, staring off into the East in search of the train that was bringing Hank Summers, Joyce and Dawn to Cheyenne.

It still amazed Buffy that she had actually convinced Papa and Mama to bring Dawn to her to live for a while. Apparently Buffy’s parents had been completely duped by the scare tactics that Dawnie had employed in her ruse to get out here. Buffy suspected that this had been her little sister’s motive all along, that the acting thing was just a ploy to force her folks into choosing the lesser of two evils for their darling Dawnie.

“Little sneak,” Buffy giggled to herself about Dawnie, as she greeted Rupert and Jennifer, smiled at Angel then finally blushed at Spike.

“Thank you so much for coming,” she said to the four Gile’s in front of her, “it means so much to me, to my family. I don’t know how I’ll ever repay your kindness.”

Spike chuckled and mumbled something under his breath, while Rupert choked a bit and Angel just smirked. Jennifer shot her husband ‘a look’ that Buffy couldn’t quite put her finger on, but it was definitely ‘a warning look’ of some kind.

“Train should be here on time,” Daniel piped in as he checked his watch, “they wired ahead, no problems this time.”

Buffy sighed in relief and grinned at Rupert and Jennifer, “if those train robbers show up on this one, Papa will absolutely drag me back to Tennessee kicking and screaming!” she finished with a half joking giggle.

“Like to see him try,” Spike muttered softly, but everyone in the little station house had heard him.

“Spike, I was only kidding…” Buffy began with a laugh, but was interrupted by Connor bounding into the depot office.

“It’s coming!” he crowed in delight, “I can see it from here!” The young man practically skipped back out of the depot and trotted back over to take his position on the crates again.

“Well,” Buffy giggled, “I guess Connor’s as excited as I am that Dawnie’s coming to stay for a while.”

Then a slight frown of concern flashed across her face, ‘we’re going to have to watch those two,’ she surmissed about her little sister and Connor. Everyone in the train depot office joined Connor Giles by the tracks, the train coming closer into view.

Buffy stood in between Jennifer and Spike, nervously biting her lower lip. When she felt Spike’s large hand reach over and take hers, giving it a tender squeeze, she stopped biting her lip and smiled softly, a tingle went up her spine.

“It’s gonna’ be fine, Princess,” Spike murmered to her softly.

“Hope so,” Buffy smiled back up at him, noticing the look of pure affection in those indigo eyes of his.

The train pulled into the station, interrupting the ‘moment’ between Spike and Buffy, causing her to jump and drop his hand.

Almost before the train pulled to a complete stop, Dawn Lee Summers practically leapt from the train steps and into Buffy’s waiting arms.

“Oh, Buffy!” she cried dramatically, “I have missed you so much!” Then leaning into her shorter sister’s ear, Dawnie whispered, “thank you, thank you. I was simply dying in that awful town!”

Buffy hugged her sister, yes, but then she pulled back and said with a smirk, “maybe you ‘should’ have joined the troupe, Dawnie, you certainly put on a good act. You have real talent.”

Dawn grinned proudly, “I know,” she chuckled.

Spying Connor behind Buffy, Dawn pulled out of her sister’s arms and flung herself into his. Poor Connor was dumbfounded, but pleased non-the-less at the overt display his female friend made over him.

“H..Hi, Miss Dawn,” he stammered shyly, grinning from ear to ear.

“Where’s Papa and Mama?” Buffy asked, peering up into the open train door.

“Oh,” sighed Dawnie in exhasperation, “Papa’s in there arguing with the Porter, says the train ride took longer then a week, and wants to know why! You know him.”

Buffy giggled and nodded, then proceeded to introduce Dawn to Angel and Spike Giles and Daniel Osbourne. Dawn smiled at the two handsome men, giving Spike a quick grin, “yes,” she turned to Connor.

“They definitely belong together,” the younger girl grinned happily.

Spike began to laugh and Buffy blushed red as blood, “Dawn Summers…”

Right then, Joyce Summers called from the train door, “Buffy, my baby!”

She hurried down the steps, followed by Hank who tried very hard not to look too excited to see his oldest child, but failed miserably.

‘One Week Later’

It wasn’t that Buffy Summers did not love her parents, quite the contrary, she adored them both. However, after one week of being under her Father’s protective eye, once again, Buffy was sadly, quite prepared to see them off back home to Tennessee for a while. When her folks had arrived with Dawnie, of course, everyone went back to the Gile’s Ranch for supper and to get acquainted.

That had gone just fine, especially since Papa and Mama already knew Rupert, Jennifer and young Connor Giles. For some reason, Papa hit it off right away with Spike and for the next week, he couldn’t say anything but wonderful things about him. Almost as if Hank Summers immediately hand picked Spike for Buffy’s future mate.

Hank was not the least bit interested in Riley Finn, especially for his darling daughter’s husband. However, Papa did seem to like Riley, just did not think he was right for Buffy and he made no secret of his feelings.

“You might think of buying in with Saul Rosenberg, Hank,” Rupert Giles had suggested amicably over brandy and cigars at the Ranch.

“Cheyenne is expanding by leaps and bounds, we could use a new or expanded Mercantile.”

Hank Summers had listened thoughtfully to all of Rupert’s ideas, nodding his head while seriously considering them. Joyce Summers, Buffy, Dawnie and of course Jennifer sat, seperated from the men, chatting and laughing amongst themselves.

Buffy had already began to miss Drusilla who had recently gone back to England with her husband, Lord Rhys-Smythe. It was the night before her parents were to return to their Greenville home, the Summers were again visiting the Gile’s ranch for a goodbye supper.

“What do you think, Elizabeth,” Papa interjected into the ladies conversation, “how about your old Papa becomes partners with Mr. Rosenberg, come visit you all the time?”

Buffy smiled weakly at her Father, “that would be fine, Papa,” she mumbled back, not very convincingly, looking over at Spike who gave her a sympathetic grin. Hank Summers caught the look between Buffy and Spike and for some reason decided to ask another, even more personel question of them both.

“So, young man,” Papa smiled cunningly at Spike, “just what ‘are’ you and my daughter’s intentions for the future?”

Unfortunately, Buffy was just taking a sip of her tea and when Papa had the nerve to ask such a thing in front of everyone, she spit it out, in shock, all over a giggling Dawn that sat across from her. Spike began to laugh, something Buffy was also surprised at and Jennifer jumped up immediately to offer napkins to both her and Dawn.

When Buffy had cleaned herself up and regained her composure, she shot her beloved Father a murderous look and began to deride him when Spike interrupted her before she could start.

“Well, Mr. Summers,” Spike chuckled “I’d marry your daughter tomorrow, I’ve made no secret of that, but she seems to be a little undecided right now. Apparently Riley Finn is giving her some pause to consider himself for marriage, but I….”

Buffy had heard enough, she bolted up out of her chair and stormed over to Spike and her beaming Father.

“Riley Finn seems a bit of nimrod, Spike,” Hank muttered, “I can’t see him occupying my intelligent Buffy’s attention much longer, so I wouldn’t….”

“Papa! Spike! That is enough, both of you!” Buffy almost screamed the words at them.

“How dare you, either of you,” she hissed shaking her finger at them, “even dare to sit there, like two smug horse breeders taking bids and making bets on me like I’m some kind of brood mare!”

Both the men stared at Buffy in wide eyed innocence, Spike was laughing behind his hand, while Papa just shrugged, “I only want what’s best for my daughters, Buffy,” he explained defensively.

“Obviously you know yourself that Riley Finn pales in comparison to such a fine young man as Spike here, I can’t…..”

Buffy stomped her foot angrily on the floor of the parlour, “that’s it,” she huffed heading for the front door, “I’m taking Cloud and the buckboard and going home! And by the way, ‘I’ will be the one to decide what breeder I mate with, not anyone else! Stick that in your pipes and smoke them, all of you!”

Buffy fled through the front door of the Ranch, grabbing her wrap off of the coat rack there, “hope you can see my family home tonight, Mr. Giles she shot at Rupert. Thank you for a lovely evening!” With that, she slammed the door behind her.

“Hank Summers!” Joyce sighed loudly, “I cannot believe that you just embarrassed our full grown daughter and insulted these good people that way. And you,” she glanced at Spike, but gave him a warm smile. “I think,” Joyce continued, “that you had better field this one Spike and stop Buffy before she flees off into the night in her perfected ‘self-righteous indignation’ way.”

Spike nodded at her and hurried out into the night to catch up with Buffy, that is if she wasn’t half way back to town already. He found her hitching up Cloud to the buckboard, wiping tears from her face as she did.

“Dammit!” he heard her curse under her breath, brought a smile to his face. Spike just loved it when Buffy was ‘feisty’ like this, assured him that their life together was never going to be dull.

“Don’t even come another step closer, Spike Giles!” she hissed without turning to see him. “I know that’s you without even looking, I’d know your footsteps anywhere now.”

He couldn’t help himself, he laughed out loud and closed the gap between them, taking Buffy by the left arm to turn her to face him. Buffy’s right hand came up to slap his cheek, but he stopped her with his free right hand.

“I’m not trying to seduce you Princess, at least not here, right now, so let’s drop the pretense that you’re going to slap me and that I’m going to let you. Told you before, save that for when you really need it. However, as I recall, hmmm, just a while back that when I did try to ‘have my way’ with you, you didn’t put up much of a fight, now did you?”

The little love’s face went red with embarrassment, as she tried to pull out of his grasp.

“Let me go,” she ordered angrily, “let me go or I’ll, I’ll shoot you!”

Spike burst out into laughter, “that’s gonna’ be a tad hard, you’re not carrying a gun, luv,” he pointed out.

“Ooooooohhh,” she growled through clenched teeth, her eyes narrowed into emerald green slits, but she stopped struggling against him at least.

“Christ, Buffy,” he murmered seriously, “you’re beautiful, always, but when you’re pissed, you are gorgeous.”

Leaning down to meet her, Spike pressed his lips against hers softly giving her the most chaste kiss, but wrapping her in his strong arms tightly.


Buffy relented and snuggled into his warm embrace, a little ashamed of her weakness in his arms.

“Spike,” she whispered, looking up at him, meeting his loving gaze, “I am not a piece of property, for anyone, not you, not Riley and not my family. I married my first husband because it’s what our parents wanted us to do, Parker’s and mine. If I hadn’t given in so easy, done what I wanted instead, then maybe none of that stuff would have happened in my first marriage. I….”

Spike shushed her with his long, slim finger to her lips, “It’s okay, Princess,” he cooed lowly, “you don’t have to explain why you don’t want to be insulted, embarrassed or talked about like a chattel. I get that, honest. It was wrong of your Father to do that, publicly like, it was wrong of me to encourage him with my responses. But, Buffy,” and he gazed at her with so much seriousness that her eyes grew wide and glowed like green fire.

“I am dead serious about how much I love you and that I want a future with you. I would marry you tomorrow, if you’d have me and I want our own home together, children, lots of them.”

She blushed again, tiny tears spilling out of the corner of her eyes, “I know you do,” she murmered softly, averting her eyes from his. “It’s just, we have not known each other that long Spike, I’m afraid…”

“That’s why I’m going to wait, Princess,” he smiled down at her after he took her chin and pulled her gaze back to his, “forever. If you need time, I’ll accept that, sweetheart.”

The warm smile she rewarded him with pulled at his heart and he fought the urge to kiss her again, a little less chastely this time.

“Look,” he ordered gently, realeasing her from one of his arms, but holding her around her waist with his other one. “See that rather large bluff, way out there?” he asked, pointing to the largest bluff to the north of them in the distance.

“Uh, huh,” she nodded against his shoulder.

“I have a little cabin there,” he continued, trying not to sound too proud. “It’s not much, Buffy,” he tilted his head to settle it on top of hers, “but it’s mine only. I go there to be alone sometimes, when I need to think about things. Like I said it’s not much, but it could be, that is if you and I wanted to settle there. To be honest, I own over half the land on that bluff, just me. I thought, maybe, after we’re married of course, you’d like to live there with me, raise a bunch of brats of our own. I know it’s too soon, like I said, I’ll wait, give you all the time you need, but consider it will you?”

He hoped he didn’t look too much like a poncey school boy, desperate for a hug or kiss from the her.

Buffy reached up and stroked Spike’s left cheek softly, gently running her fingers down to rest on his lovely lips.

“Well,” she murmered shyly, “thank you for giving me time to think about things. I really do need that, William. And I bet your cabin is lovely and perfect and I’m glad you have someplace to go, to be by yourself and think as you put it.”

She smiled soflty up at him, “and I will go back into the house with you, my temper in check now, and finish visiting with your family and mine.”

Spike took her by the hand and led her back into his ranch slowly, “but I’m still pretty miffed at Papa,” she giggled next to him as he opened the front door for her, a big grin on his handsome face.

“I can’t wait to find out how Mama scolded him!”


A/N: Another longish chapter! I’m trying to catch up on this and my other fiction I started. Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 10: 'Realizations' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 10: ‘Realizations’


A/N: The following chapter will start out kind cutesy and fun, then it will get serious. I want anyone who reads this chapter to understand where I am coming from here. Please be assured, I am not judging anyone or any way of life, on the contrary, I am trying to write my characters sympathetically and have you readers understand all of them. Thank you, Luv, Spuf


Buffy watched over her school room full of students carefully. The twenty-five students, ages seven to fourteen and one fifteen-year-old, were very well behaved, for the most part. However, now it was the beginning of the second week of November and the children were getting restless. Dawn had been a big help for the last couple of weeks, keeping the kids on their toes, in line and such. Andrew Snyder was completely mesmerized by the sixteen-year-old Dawnie Summers, but apparently, she was smitten with Connor Giles and he with her.

“I want your numbers written on your individual blackboards and turned in by the end of the week,” Buffy ordered the sea of anxious children.

“Then,” she added, “we’ll decide what we are going to do plan out for our Thanksgiving Pageant!”

Twenty-five young faces began to beam back at her, their excitement was evident and it gave Buffy such a happy warm feeling inside of her.

“I bet your folks will be thrilled to see you all in some kind of play, right Buffy? I mean Miss Summers?” Dawn stammered, embarrassed by her slip of her sister’s nickname.

“I think they will, too,” Buffy grinned at Dawnie, then her class.

“But, for now, I want you kids to do your numbers, go over the new readers and write a story for me. Let’s say you write about someone you admire, a hero to you, or heroine from history. Or, someone you know personally. That’s the assignment for this week. I’d like that report by Monday of of next week. Leave enough time for your home chores and don’t be late to class for the rest of the term.”

Buffy smiled as she dismissed the classroom, eyeing Dawn closely. Dawn was staring out the school house window, her mind definitely somewhere else, probably on Connor Giles who usually made an appearance right about this time of day. Him, and his older brother Spike.

“Dawnie,” Buffy began as she walked over to her little sister, keeping watch at the window, “I think maybe you should…..”

She was interrupted by a breathless Johnathan Rosenberg, who burst into the now student empty school house, “it’s my cousin, Willow!” he announced eagerly, “she’s had the baby! It’s a little boy!”

Buffy dropped the reader she had in her hand and grabbed Dawn quickly, “we’ll have to go over right now!” she crowed happily. “I promised Wills I’d be there right after the baby was born!”

Dawn and Buffy hurried after Johnathan, barely stopping to close and lock up the school house behind them. When they reached the Osbourne household, Daniel, Willow’s husband was already passing out cigars and grinning proudly to the few visitors that sat about their parlour.

“Buffy,” he cried, eagerly, “it’s a boy! My son! Willow’s fine, Doctor Wilkens really came through for us. Thought we’d call him Daniel Saul Osbourne., after me and Uncle Saul here, of course!”

Daniel was so proud as he almost strutted about the room, grinning like a loon and his Uncle Ethan just beamed like a new Father himself.

Saul Rosenberg beamed at everyone like it was his own child, too, that had just been born.

“I think we should break out the brandy, Daniel,” he offerred, “his eyes filled with family pride, “the ladies must have a glass and us of course!”

Tara Rosenberg took that moment to enter the front area of the house from the room that held Willow, the baby and Doc Wilkens.

“I’ll have a glass darling,” she smiled warmly at her older husband, “but I think Dawn should maybe have tea?” she offerred with a giggle.

Dawn looked a little dissapointed, momentarily, but soon accepted the offerred cup of Earl Grey with appreciation. Buffy took the brandy snifter, swirling the contents quickly and taking just an appropriate sip or two before congratulating Daniel on his new son.

“Erin go Braugh!” Buffy shouted happily, toasting Daniel Osbourne and his wife and child in the custom she and Daniel were used to.

“Mazaltov!” Saul Rosenberg chimed in with gusto as he raised his glass.

“Bless us all,” Daniel crowed excitedly, his heigth seemed to grow six inches in a minute!

Later, after Daniel had retired into the bedroom he shared with his wife and now newborn son, Buffy and Tara sat out in the parlour of the Osbourne home. Dawn had long since fallen asleep on the comfortable sofa and Buffy longed to join her little sister in slumber, but Tara had other plans.

“Buffy,” Tara whispered conspiritorialy, “can I talk to you? Female talk that is?”

Buffy was taken aback by the forthrightness of the usually reserved Tara Rosenberg. “Uhm, sure, Tara,” she stammered, rising to join the woman in the kitchen of the Osbourne household. Saul, Tara’s husband had fallen asleep in extra bedroom of the house and now it was just Tara and Buffy awake in the rather large building. Tara went about the kitchen, busying herself making some tea and setting out biscuits for both Buffy and herself.

“I normally don’t intrude or stick my nose into other people’s business, Buffy, but I feel I must speak up with you,” she cautioned.

Sitting down next to Buffy on a kitchen chair, Tara sipped her tea and pondered her next words.

“I was wondering, Buffy,” she began carefully, choosing her words with caution, “about you. You and Spike Giles, and, well, Riley Finn.”

Buffy was stunned, she had no idea that someone like Tara Rosenberg would ever wonder about her or any of the people in her life. The tall, solidly built, sweet faced Tara seemed more interested in things such as business, her husband and his two children. Never, did Buffy ever think for one moment that Tara would consider her life and the Summer’s family members. But here Tara was, asking questions about Buffy’s love interests and such, it perplexed her, but for some reason, she found it easy to open up to Mrs. Rosenberg.

“Please do not be angry with me, Buffy,” Tara pleaded softly, setting her tea cup down on the table, “I just wondered some things. You know, we all think so much of you and your family here in Cheyenne. We just want you to be happy.”

Buffy looked down at her little tea cup and began to worry her bottom lip with her blunt teeth. It was a habit she had picked up years before and one she was not all that happy with.

“I don’t know what to say Tara,” Buffy stammered shyly, “I’m a little surprised that you would even ask such things.”

“Well, sometimes I surprise Saul and myself,” Tara chuckled softly with a wink at Buffy. “It’s just that, I know that the two men I mentioned are very much in love with you, and I know who the one most of the town is rooting for. But….”

Tara frowned a little, “I guess I just wondered why, since it’s so very obvious that you and Spike Giles are a match, the chemistry between you is obvious. I wonder, why do you shy away from the mutual attraction that is so apparent, between you and Spike? Why do you see Riley? I know Deputy Finn is a good man, a very good man really, but he just doesn’t seem to fit with you. I know it’s none of my business, but I’m confused, just like a lot of folks around here and we do talk, we townspeople. Oh, forget it, I’m sorry,” the older woman blushed and looked away from Buffy.

Buffy sat for a moment, silently stunned that Tara would ask such things from her. However, Buffy felt, deep down inside, that Tara Rosenberg may just be the one person in her life that might understand her dissapointments and fears left over from her marriage to Parker.

“I’m afraid of Spike,” Buffy stammered, quietly, unable to look at Tara. “No,” she then shook her head, “not afraid of him, but of how I feel about him and how he feels about me. I’m just afraid of well, that chemistry you mentioned, passion is what it really is. I know he has it for me, Spike that is, and I have it for him, but….”

Tara scrunched up her brows and took Buffy’s little hand in hers, “sweetie,” she began softly, “I think there’s something truly troubling you from your past, your life with Parker Abrams. To me, it’s coloring your emotions for Spike and causing you some awfully bad feelings about yourself. Am I right?”

Buffy could only nod, her eyes had already begun to fill with tiny, hot tears.

“If you don’t want to talk about it Buffy, that’s okay.”

With a shake of her head, Buffy communicated that she really ‘did’ want to talk about it with Tara, her above anyone else.

“I, I need to talk about it, Tara and I can’t think of anyone better to discuss it with. It’s just that I never told anyone else, not my parents, not Mammy Buffy, certainly not Dawn or Cordelia. Cordelia would never understand and Willow? She’s a little too innocent and I don’t know if she could take this.”

Tara thought for a moment, then, “I think I’m beginning to see the picture here, honey. You didn’t feel ‘that way’ about Parker, did you? I mean, you were friends, devoted to each other, that I get, but the passion part?”

Buffy couldn’t help it, she began to giggle, shaking her head firmly, "yeah, there was certainly none of that between Parker and I. Just family, duty and trying to please our parents. Poor Parker,” she sighed sadly, “I have always wondered if perhaps I had been more aggressive in that way,” she blushed again, “maybe what happened would’t have.”

Tara patted Buffy’s hand warmly, “you can tell me, if you want, I won’t breathe a word of it ever, to anyone, sweetie. I promise.”

Buffy nodded, “I know,” she whispered raspily, tears now falling down her cheeks freely. “It’s like this, Tara, Parker and I were childhood sweethearts, best friends. It was expected of us to grow up, get married, carry on our respective family lines with each other. My Father and Parker’s Father were also best friends and business partners, but they, our parents, they didn’t know Parker or me for that matter, at all.”

“I got married to Parker,” she continued hoarsely, wiping at the tears, “thinking that since we were such close friends, that the other part, the missing passionate love I did not feel, would not be a problem. But, even after the first few months of marriage, I realized that it was a very big problem for us both. Parker loved me, but I found out that he didn’t love me in ‘that way’ either. Not anymore then I did him. Maybe if I’d been more aggressive that way,” she repeated, staring of into space, maybe…”

Tara squeezed her hand, “what happened, Buffy?” she asked sympathetically.

Buffy looked Tara straight in the eye, “I caught him with someone else, quite by accident. About a year after we married.”

“Oh,” Tara sighed sympathetically, “I’m sorry Buffy, truly. I know if I ever found Saul with some other woman, I’d just die of sorrow.”

Buffy chuckled sardonically and looked back at Tara, her slight smile immediately became a sad frown.

“I didn’t catch Parker with another woman, Tara,” she whispered, “I caught him with another man. Scott Hope to be exact, the Baptist Minister’s youngest son.”

Tara looked surprised, kind of, but she shook her head a bit to shake off her haze.

“I see,” Tara responded simply, scrunching her brows again.

Buffy was so embarrassed that she could only stare at the little table between them.

“So,” Tara began, so low that Buffy could barely hear her, “you think that ‘you’ could have changed who your husband felt his passionate love for? No Buffy, you couldn’t have. Nothing you could have done, or couldn’t have done would have changed the outcome of your marriage to Parker. It’s an act of nature, Buffy, I believe that, when a man feels that way for other men. Same with women, some women are great friends with men, but their passion is for other women. It was Parker’s nature, Buffy, and he probably felt that with the way Society and convention frowns on such things, he’d be an outcast. That’s why he married you, Buffy, he cared for you, wanted to please his family. So much so, he went against what nature had chosen for him. It’s a pity, really, honey, but not your doing at all, Society forced Parker to go against his nature and you got all caught up in it. I’m sorry for both of you.”



“So,” Buffy stammered, the tears evident in her eyes again, “you’re saying that no matter how I was, how I felt or what I tried to do to make my marriage work…”

Tara nodded, sqeezing Buffy’s hand again, “Parker and you, both of you were totally without fault in this matter, Buffy. So, if you think about it, truly think about it and give yourself some time, a chance to realize that you are not cold hearted. Understand that you shouldn’t be afraid to love ‘someone’ like Spike, someone that loves you with so much passion and conviction. Then, my dear Buffy, you can give yourself and your passion for Spike back to him. And, I feel you both deserve that.”

Buffy nodded, thinking about what Tara had just helped her realize, “I’ll think on what you said Tara and thank you so very much."”

Tara smiled warmly at her, “why don’t you wash your pretty face, sweetie,” she advised, “Dawn will probably wake up soon and we don’t want her to have seen you crying.”


A/N: I hope in this chapter, that I have written it with character, dignity and it clears up some of Buffy’s issues. I hope that no one takes offense to it, I meant none. If Society was more opened minded, especially back in that time, so many more people would have lived happier lives, the way they could have. Thanks Luv, Spuf
Chapter 10: Part II 'Alot to be Thankful For' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 10: Part II ‘A Lot To Be Thankful For’


“All right, then class,” Buffy smiled benevolently on her twenty-five students, “I am going to read some of the reports you wrote on the people you admire, your heros.”

It was Monday morning, closer to Thanksgiving then ever and Buffy wanted to get the lessons out of the way for the week and move on to the Pageant she and Dawnie had planned for the class.

“I am going to start with Andrew Snyder’s report,” grinning at the young man, the oldest student in her class as he blushed bright red. “Andrew’s ‘Hero’ report is based on…..” Buffy paused wide-eyed, then giggled, “Spike Giles, My Hero.”

She went on to read the report, which was really quite good and explained why Andrew felt that Spike was a man to be admired.

“He, Spike,” Andrew had finished up, “helped this town to become civilized and a safer place for everyone. My Dad and Mother say so and I believe them.”

Buffy grinned at Andrew, “that gets an ‘A’ for sure, Andrew,” she smiled at the beaming boy.

“Okay, next report, ‘Why Spike Giles is my Hero’ by Tommy Jenkins. Oh,” Buffy paused, her brows scrunched up, “hmmm.”

She read the next report out loud and had to chuckle again, “I guess a lot of you like Spike, huh?”

The class answered in unison, “yes Miss Summers.”

Taking the next piece of writing paper from the stack, Buffy wasn’t real surprised to see the title read, ‘Spike Giles; My Hero,’ by Ethan Rayne Jr. “Next to my Dad,” Ethan’s report began, “I like Spike Giles most. Of course my Dad is the biggest man in town, but Spike comes next. He helped my Dad……”

Buffy sighed and set the finished report down on her desk, “I see a definite pattern here.”

Dawn giggled from the chair in the corner she sat in, smirking at her older sister.

“Here’s something different!” Buffy crowed as she picked up and started reading Sandra Jenkins report… “I like my Mom and Dad most!” It began well enough, “next, I admire Connor and Angel Giles. They are so handsome!”

Buffy paused and glanced at Dawn who was shooting murderous glances of jealousy at Sandra.

“Well,” Buffy stammered, “it’s nice to see someone admire their folks the most, right?”

The classroom broke out into murmers of agreement, apparently aware that Miss Dawn was less then pleased with the comely Sandra’s opinion of Connor, especially.

Buffy grinned at Dawn and gave her a warning look, ‘I don’t think you need to worry,’ she tried to communicate to her little sister, ‘you’ve got Connor pretty well sewn up!’

Then, Buffy frowned again, ‘we, the Giles and me, we’ve got to keep an eye on those two kids.’

Buffy had sent Dawn back home early that day as she wanted to finish up some things in the school house herself. She had Connor and Spike accompany her little sister to their door and of course Cordelia was always close by to keep an eye out for trouble where Dawn was concerned. Andrew, as usual, helped with the chalk erasers and then bade a cheery good night as he scurried home to help with the family chores.

Spike would rather have stayed close at hand in the school house, Buffy knew that, but she insisted he keep an eye on Connor and Dawnie. So, she was alone in the one room building when someone entered the school, her back was turned to the door.

“Andrew,” she sighed, “we’re all finished up here, you don’t need to….”

When Buffy turned to face her company, she was shocked to see Holden Webster standing there, an unsavory smile on his face.

“Hello little one,” Holden purred as he stepped closer to Buffy, his brown eyes ran up and down her tiny form.

“You are not welcome here, Mr. Webster,” she scolded him harshly, “not after that nonsense with poor Ford. You’re a rude, crude man and I don’t want you anywhere near my students or myself.”

She flounced over to the school house door, suddenly miffed at herself for leaving her rifle at home that day.

“Oh, please, Miss Summers,” Holden chuckled, “I mean you no harm. Just wanted to drop by, while in town, to offer more apologies for that day a while back. I, I mean we, my brother and Devon, behaved like fools and I wanted to make sure you realized that we are all very, very sorry.”

The dark haired man towered over Buffy, and at this close range, she felt quite intimidated by him and his sarcastic expression.

“Fine,” she humphed simply, “I accept. Now please, I must get home, my…..” she stopped short of saying her sister to this monster, something about his eyes frightened her. The last thing she needed was for someone like Holden Webster to know about Dawnie being here, she didn’t know why, just knew deep down inside of her.

“Time to move on, Webster,” Angel Gile’s deep voice boomed out from the front door, “I don’t think the lady cares much for your company.”

Buffy looked at Angel in relief as Holden gave him a sour smirk, “you playing watchdog for your big brother’s property now, Angel?” Holden growled.

“No,” Angel replied honestly, “just goin’ by, saw your ugly horse outside and thought I’d stop and say hello to Miss Summers. We, all of us Gile’s think very highly of Miss Summers here. Like I said, I think it’s time for you to move on out of here. Why not stop over at Maggies and visit Faith for a while, she’s your favorite, isn’t she?”

Buffy blushed at the mention of one of the whores employed at Maggies, but brushed it off, Angel had come at the best time and anything to make this horrible Holden leave was all right by her.

“I’ll go on then,” Holden hissed as he strode past Angel in a huff of bravado, “but remember this, Giles,” he warned. “Your brother, big man that he thinks he is, took something from my family. Websters don’t forget that too easily, watch your back, Angel boy. Your’s and your whole fucking familys’.”

With that threat, Holden left the school house.

“I’m sorry, Buffy,” Angel offerred quietly, “he’s such an…..”

Buffy shook her head, “I’m just glad you came by Angel,” she assured him, “he’s real scary, that one. There’s something about him, something dark, sinister. I don’t know, I guess I’m just spooked by his visit.”

She smiled at Spike’s younger brother kindly, “you are quite a young man Angel,” she chuckled, breaking the tension around them.

“Thank you, Buffy,” he responded warmly, “if I was a little older and you weren’t perfect for my brother, I’d….”

Angel gave Buffy a wink and a smirk, offering his arm to her, “may I?” he asked politely offering an escort home.

“Yes, you may, Angel,” she answered, grabbing her coat and hat. “I want you to tell Spike how you came to my ‘rescue’ if you would, I think he’d appreciate it.”

Spike and Connor Giles hung around the Summer’s front porch impatiently. Connor was waiting for Dawn to come out with the lemonade she had offerred earlier, and for her of course, and Spike was staring off down the dusty Main Street road waiting for Buffy to come into sight.

‘Damn stubborn bint!’ he thought a bit miffed, ‘Buffy worries more about Connor and Dawn being alone together then her own safety.’

It wasn’t long however, after Dawn had brought out the lemonade and giggling handed it to Connor who blushed like a school boy when he took it, that Buffy appeared in the distance. Riding of all things, Angel’s own horse, Blue, his little brother leading them on foot.

“What the fuck!” Spike roared jealously, causing Dawn to almost drop her lemonade and Connor to flush in embarrassment.

“Spike,” Connor scolded harshly, “that’s no way to talk in front of Dawn.”

By the time Angel and Buffy had arrived at the Summer’s house, Spike was standing out in front of the yard, leaning against the white picket fence. A cigarette dangled from his mouth and he was pissed beyond pissed, but he decided to, for once, to hold his temper and hot words until his darling little brother, Angel, could explain. Explain why his, Spike’s, girl was riding that grey steed of his and he was prancing along beside it, polite as you please, grinning like a bloody idiot up at Buffy.

“Hello, little brother,” Spike growled through clenched teeth when the couple arrived at the house.

“Oh, Spike!” Buffy crowed excitedly, “you should have seen Angel stand up to Holden Webster! Such a brave young man!”

Spike tensed and dropped his jealous stance immediately, “Holden Webster!” he hissed, “what the bloody hell was that moron doing around you Buffy?”

Buffy clasped Spike’s arm and led him back into the yard, to the front porch, “He came into the school house, after you all left. Tried to tell me he was stopping by to make amends, still, for that awful day with Ford. You are right, by the way, he is a moron! Anyway, Angel was so brave, he stopped in, sent Holden packing! It was breathtaking! And….”

Spike looked down at the wooden steps upto Buffy’s porch, kicking the bottom one sheepishly, “I should have been there, Princess,” he whispered.

Buffy broke out into laughter, “Spike,” she patted his strong arm and assured him tactfully, “it’s enough that I have the whole Gile’s posse looking out for me and Dawnie. I know Holden would have run like the coward he is, first sign of ‘you’ around.”

Spike grinned at her and took her little hand in his, “Smart man, that Holden, sometimes that is.”







Buffy watched from the sidelines, or at least at the side of the altar, as her twenty-five students fumbled through their lines and cues for the Thanksgiving Pageant. Reverend Caleb Montgomery, at the urging of his Mother Alice, no doubt, agreed to let Buffy put the Pageant on in the Baptist Church on that last Sunday evening before the big day itself.

Buffy, Dawn and Connor, with Ford in tow had transformed the Altar of the Church into a make shift Pilgrimy type atomosphere. At this very moment, John Smith and Pocahontas, the Indian maiden were stumbling around on on the stage, trying to bring all Indians and Pilgrims together over the roasted Turkey that the Gile’s family had donated for the play.

Peering out into the audience, Buffy had to chuckle at the proud, beaming parents and townspeople that had showed up to watch her students try and replay the first Thanksgiving feast. Even though, of course, the characters in the play were way out of their element and areas.

The Pilgrims were up in the Northern Territories, while the Indian tribe that Pocahontas belonged to, The Powhatans, were situated down by Jamestown, Virginia. All in all, though, the whole Pageant was coming off beautifully, even if Captain John Smith was rather reluctant to kiss the young Pocahontas’s (played by Sandra Jenkins) cheek in the name of brotherly love and such.


Buffy smiled, a shiver of happiness shot through her tiny body, Spike had showed up. Spike sat in the back of the pews, trying not to laugh out loud as John Smith, played by Andrew Snyder, broke bread with Chief Powhatan (played by Tommy Jenkins) Pocahontas’s Father.

As twenty-three Pilgrims and Indians, boys and girls, all ages and sizes, watched on the stage, eagerly. It didn’t seem to matter that the whole historical aspect of the Pageant was way off, the parents and townspeople in the audience just loved the Thanksgiving play.

Of course, Riley Finn had not attended the performance, his job coming first and foremost, or so he said anyway. Buffy knew, deep down, that Riley was less then appreciative of anything displaying comradeship between Pilgrims or other Whites and the Indians of the Americas. Riley was a bitter man where this was concerned and Buffy realized that nothing would change that.

After the last chapter of the Pageant, Buffy and Dawn both were dragged onto the make shift stage to take their bows along with the amateur actors. Everyone in the Church stood up and clapped wildly for the little troupe, including Reverend Montgomery who smiled like a Saint at Buffy. Buffy curtsied and glanced around to find Spike who was hovering about the back door of the Church, a dazzling smile that she could see from the stage, on his handsome face.

At that point, it would not have mattered to Buffy if the whole student body had forgotten their cues and lines or stumbled off the stage itself in the process, Spike was glowing with pride for her, Buffy Summers. It would prove to be one of the most wonderful memories she ever had in her life.

‘Thanksgiving Day’


Buffy and Dawn had been invited to the Gile’s Ranch for the Thanksgiving Feast. Jennifer, being the grand lady she was had extended the invitation to the Raynes, Osbournes and Rosenbergs, even Riley Finn was on the guest list. Everyone, everyone that is but Riley accepted the gracious invite and it was quite the parade that, led by Ethan in his buckboard, made their way out to the Gile’s Ranch for supper.

Dawn couldn’t sit still in the Osbourne buckboard that she and Buffy rode along in. Between the young girl’s anxiousness to see Connor and her adoration of the new Osbourne baby, Daniel Saul, Dawnie was running on a lightening bolt of energy that Buffy wished she could possess.

“I am not sure, Daniel,” Willow fussed, cuddling the baby boy to her tightly, “he’s so young. Should we be dragging him out anywhere this early?"”

Daniel chuckled as he spurred the two beautiful horses that he drove on, “of course, honey,” he assured her, “it’s good for the boy. Get him out and about in this clean good air. Make his lungs strong and healthy! Yeowww!” he cried joyfully as he pushed the team to pass his Uncle’s family in their own wagon.

Dawn giggled and urged Daniel to hurry even more, she was so impatient to see Connor again.

‘Hmmm,’ Buffy sighed, eyeing her young sister anxiously, ‘it’s nice for Dawn to care for Connor, but this is something a bit more then that. I need to talk to Jennifer, or maybe Spike about this,’ she reasoned.

Once the caravan of buckboards had reached the Gile’s home, the entire family came out to greet them. Spike hurried over to help Buffy down from the Osbourne buckboard, making sure he didn’t let go of her tiny hand too soon.

Connor slipped up behind to help Dawn down, placing his young, strong hands about the girl’s waist to aid her.

Buffy raised her eyebrow and glanced at Spike, her returned her look with a slight frown, “we need to talk,” he whispered as he offerred his arm to her.

“Yes, I believe we do indeed,” she confirmed, keeping a watch on the two young people who now walked arm and arm ahead of them.


A/N: I quick chapter, for fun, so set up some future events in the story. I included the Thanksgiving Pageant part because every parent should recognize themselves in it. We are always eager to overlook the little inconsistencies in the plays and all because we’re so damn proud of our kids! Thanks for reading, please review! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 11: 'It's Hard to be a Female' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 11: ‘It’s Hard to be a Female’


Spike sat with his Father, brothers, Ethan Rayne, Daniel Osbourne and Saul Rosenberg, drinking his Dad’s best brandy with the men. However, his mind was on the other side of the parlour, where Buffy sat, surrounded by friends and family. There, Buffy did it again, she just giggled joyfully at something Willow Rosenberg said while she balanced her newborn son on her lap.

In fact, right that moment, all of the females began to laugh or giggle at whatever Willow had said and all chose to look over at their men. Buffy blushed, as usual, when she caught Spike staring at her, smiling like a boy at his first dance.

‘God I’m an idiot over that woman!’ Spike chided himself, unable to pull his eyes away from Buffy, noting she wasn’t too quick to pull hers away from him, either.

As tactfully as possible, as not to embarrass Buffy, Spike looked over at the front door of the house then back at her. Hoping that Buffy would take the hint that it was time for their private ‘talk’ they had briefly discussed before Thangsgiving Supper.

Now that supper was over, the pie had been eaten, the coffee, gallons of it drank, the Gile’s guests had taken to the parlour to relax and chat. Buffy had been aloof with him, Spike felt, for the entire day and evening, sitting next to him at Supper, as requested, but keeping her distance all the same. It hurt him, deeply, as he had thought they had passed that awkward stage of their courtship.

Oddly enough, right at that moment, he heard Tara Rosenberg say quite clearly, “I think Spike needed to speak with you Buffy, uhm, about Cloud? His stallion?”

Buffy blushed bright red again, giving Spike the chance to chuckle at the beautiful sight, a sight he’d never tire of.

“Oh,” Buffy seemed to drawl, “Oh!” she jumped up from the little chair she occupied. “Right, talk, the horses, I remember now.”

Shooting Tara a look Spike couldn’t quite describe, she hurried to the coat rack by the front door and reached for her wrap, “Spike?” she turned to look at him.

“Right, Buffy, luv,” he piped up, “we need to discuss those horses.”

He thought he heard Dawnie giggle and whisper, “yeah, horses, right,” as they left together through the front door.

Buffy was as nervous as a sixteen-year-old belle at her first cottillion, but she allowed Spike to place her wrap about her shoulders and follow her outdoors for privacy’s sake.

“First time I’ve got you alone in weeks,” Spike purred as he possessively took her arm.

She let him spin her around slowly and pull her flush to his body, wrapping his long, strong arms about her.

“I thought we decided that it was best for you and I ‘not’ to be really alone together, Spike,” she sighed, burying her head in his chest.

“No, Princess,” he snorted, “you decided it was for the best. I hate the idea of all this chaperoning we have. It’s ridiculous as far as I’m concerned, we are two grown people for God’s sake.”

She frowned and scrunched her brows, “now please don’t be cross or crude, Spike,” she whimpered, “it is Thanksgiving.”

He grinned at her, immediately melting her anger at him away and causing that tingly feeling to shoot up her spine, yet again.

“Yes,” he sighed, nuzzling her forehead with his, “it is Thanksgiving and I’ve got a bloody hell of a lot to be thankful for. Best day of my life was when you stepped off that train, all high and mighty. Just begging for me to kiss you and….”

Buffy gasped in shock, “I never! I never ever begged you to kiss me! Ever!”

Spike laughed and ran his finger, gently, down her nose to the tip, “yes you did, Princess,” he assured her. “Your emerald green eyes, so full of fire, they were what begged me to kiss you, someday that is. So, I did, first chance I got.”

She tried to carry on in mock anger, but it was a losing battle, Spike was just so darn handsome, and funny and so very, very smart. Truth was, Spike Giles read Buffy like a book and saw through every one of her coy remarks and actions.

“Well,” she pouted up at him, not surprised at all when he leaned in to kiss her warmly. “Mmmmm,” she sighed before she could stop herself.

“Yeah,” he whispered, “mmmm is right, sweetheart.”

He began to kiss her a little more deeply and Buffy had to force herself to stop him with a gentle push to his chest.

“Spike,” she hissed, bright red from slight shame, “we can’t do this here. What will your guests think? Your family?”

Spike seemed to ponder her question for a moment, “they’ll think, damn but Spike is a lucky bloke! At least the men will.”

Buffy gently slapped his chest, but giggled, “well, I’m flattered, I think anyway,” she admitted. “But Spike,” she grew serious, “I really do need to talk to you. About Connor and Dawnie that is.”

Spike’s expression must have grown serious too, he raised his left, scarred brow and seemed to think on what Buffy had just said.

“Yeah, I know,” he muttered, looking back up at the house. “They’re a little too cozy with each other, isn’t that what you’re thinkin’ luv?”

Buffy nodded at him and broke away from his embrace, leaving his arms feeling terribly lonely at the loss of contact.

“Dawn’s way too young to have feelings like, well, like I think she may be developing for Connor. Connor too, I know your Father is considering college for him, if Dawn and he become too….”

Spike walked up to her and reached out to tuck a strand of her golden hair behind her ear, “I know what you’re saying Buffy,” he nodded, “Connor is completely smitten with Dawn and apparently visa versa. I think it would be best if everyone involved made bloody sure that those two were never, ever left alone together. Don’t get me wrong, Dawn’s a fine girl, actually she’s exactly who I would choose for Connor, but they are too young and naïve about life.”

Buffy shook her pretty golden head and leaned back into him, her body so nicely warm and toasty for such a cold night.

“Yes,” she sighed, “best if they are not left alone together, too dangerous and all.”

Spike wrapped his arms back around her waist, pulling her back closer to his body, “too dangerous, I think you are right about that, dear,” he murmered in her ear. He nuzzled his lips into the top of her fragrant, soft head, “too dangerous,” he repeated hazily, “just like you, Princess. In your soft, silky golden party dress, all desirable and dangerous.

You know, when you wear your hair down, like this,” he ran his fingers through her golden tresses, “it just drives me crazy, Buffy. Makes me wanna’ bunch your golden locks in my fingers, pull your head aside and expose that gorgeous silky neck of yours to my mouth. You do it on purpose, don’t you, my sweet, wear your hair down about your shoulders to draw me in? Make me want to take you somewhere private like, lay you down and splay your golden treasure across a pillow or my chest as I…..”

Buffy had succumbed to the vocal and visual lullaby that Spike was purring into her ear as he played with her long hair and ran his lips softly down the side of her neck.

“I, oh, Spike, I do…” She suddenly came to her senses and snapped out of the sensuous haze they both were falling into.

“Spike,” she whispered sadly, “we can’t do this here, now, maybe…”

He spun her around and pulled her so tightly to him that she was almost unable to breathe, “no,” he sighed harshly, “we can’t do this here or now. But someday, Buffy, someday we will be able to.”

Spike pulled her little chin up to meet his gaze, “for you see, my sweet beauty, I will win. You, our life together, everything I see when I look at you, into those emerald eyes of yours. I’ll, we’ll have it all.”

She stared, mesmerized into his sky blue eyes that seemed to stare right down into her very soul, “I, wish,” she began hesitantly, “I wish I could tell you, everything, all of it. Someday maybe,” Buffy sighed wistfully.

“You will,” Spike smiled as he kissed the tip of her funny little nose, “someday, you my sweet Buffy Summers, will be able to tell me everything and anything. And, darling,” he added seriously, still gazing into her eyes, “I will listen to every one of your words.”

Buffy took a deep breath and screwed up her courage, “I think we better join the others,” she stated, somewhat reluctantly, “we’ve been out here way too long and I’m not sure it’s a good role model type thing for Connor and Dawn.”

He nodded as she broke away from his grasp, “okay,” he sighed, “but remember this, Buffy, I love you. Have from the first moment I laid eyes on you and if you think about it, there’s not better role models for young people then happily married couples. We could have that, if you let us. Please let us, Buffy,” he pleaded with his words, his eyes and his heart.

“I want to,” she whispered, turning to walk into the ranch house, “I do, Spike. I just need some more time, to think things out, put things right in my mind. There’s so many things to think about now, you, this place, my Dawnie, new friends and yes, even Riley Finn.”

Spike flinched as if he’d been burned by a hot ember, “Riley Finn is no threat to us,” he growled with determination, once again pulling Buffy close to him.

“Maybe not Spike,” Buffy sighed, “but maybe ‘I am’ in a way. Someday, I can’t promise when, I’ll tell you everything,” she repeated, “then maybe both of us will understand more, really understand each other.” Buffy hurried into the house, Spike followed behind her.

(Later that night, back in town)


The Osbournes dropped Buffy and Dawn off at the little house, Daniel making sure that everything was just fine inside before taking his wife and son home. Cordelia Rayne shooed her three exhausted children into their home next door and waved goodnight to the two sisters.

“Night Cordy,” Buffy called out to her neighbor, turning to step inside her house and shut the door to the cold dark night.

“Buffy?” she heard Riley’s voice from outside the picket fence.

‘Oh, Lord, this is all I need,’ Buffy grimaced as she plastered on a smile and turned back to find Riley Finn coming up her walkway. Rather, she saw him somewhat stumbling up her walkway, as he appeared to be three sheets to the wind drunk.

“Riley!” she rasped, “are you drunk?” Riley finally made it up the stairs to Buffy, a wild grin on his face, and leaned against the post at the bottom stair.

“No,” he chuckled, “I’m past drunk, I’m stone drunk.”

Buffy was stunned, this was something new to her, a drunk and apparently unrepenting Riley at her doorstep.

“Uhm, Riley,” she began gently, “I think maybe you should go home, take a walk, maybe get some sleep? You seem rather….out of it, I think.”

He squinted down at her, frowned momentarily then favored her with a silly grin, “don’t want to,” he pouted like a child, “want to stay here with you.”

With that, he plopped down on her porch and crossed his arms over his chest defiantly.

“Riley,” Buffy sighed impatiently, “it’s late, I’ve got to get Dawnie to bed, get to bed myself. You go on home now, please, get some rest or air, or something.”

Riley stood up again, shakily, “why do you spend so much time with Spike Giles, Buffy,” he asked sadly, shaking his head.

Buffy sighed again in frustration, bit her lower lip and rolled her eyes, “I told you, Riley,” she explained gently, “Spike is my friend too. We have a lot in common, things to talk about, Shakespeare, lots of things. I wish you would…..”

Riley frowned again and reached out to Buffy, pulling her against him roughly, “I can readite Shacksper, Buff,” he slurred drunkenly.

“Let me go,” Buffy ordered calmly, but sternly, “I don’t like being manhandled Riley, so let me go. Now.”

He stared down into her eyes, blindly that is, “I don’t like Spike Giles, or you seeing him, but you do like him, don’t you Buffy.”

She pulled out of his arms in a huff, “go home,” she ordered again, this time, in a much firmer tone. “I can’t talk to you like this, I won’t talk to you when you’re drunk.”

Riley shook his head, then hung it in shame, “I’m sorry pretty Buffy. I’m sorry for makin’ you mad, ruining your night. We’ll talk later, much later when I’ve slept and sobered up and you’re not mad anymore. We’ll sort this all out, promise,” he smiled like a child at her.

“Yes,” she answered in relief, “we’ll talk later about this.”

Riley smiled brightly, “tomorrow?” he asked hopefully.

“I’m sorry, Riley,” Buffy answered quickly, “Dawn and I have lessons with Anya Harris, at her and Xander’s place. Her baby is due soon and I don’t want her coming into town to study with me. It’s too risky for her and the child. Tomorrow, we, Dawnie and I, we’re due at the Harris’s for supper and lessons.”

Riley frowned, this time it was an angry one, “why do you waste your time with trash like Xander and Anya Harris, Buffy,” he hissed.

Buffy reared back as if she had been physically struck by Riley, “I will not have you calling my friends bad names Riley Finn. Do not ever say anything against Xander or Anya again in front of me, anyway. Xander is a good man who loves his wife and coming child. Anya is just trying to better herself, make a better life for her family. I won’t have you say a word against either of them. Do you understand, Riley?”

He hung his head again and mumbled an ‘I’m sorry.’ “Will you go to dinner on Saturday with me, like usual, Buffy, we can talk then?”

“Yes, Riley,” she murmered, avoiding his big brown eyes, “we can talk Saturday. But for now, I think you’d better go on home or for that walk I suggested. I just know you will be ill tomorrow anyway, you smell like you’ve drank a brewery full, so go on. We’ll talk Saturday.”

Riley gave her a sad little smile then kissed her on her forehead chastely, “see you Saturday pretty Buffy,” he whispered as he turned to stumble off the stairs and down her walkway.

Buffy sighed in exhasperation, ‘men!’ A clatter at the window behind her caused Buffy to turn her attention to the noise.

“Buffy?” Dawn whispered nervously, “are you okay?”

She saw her little sister, a kind of frightened look on her face, peering out from the front door now.

“Come here, Dawn,” Buffy ordered gently even as the young girl joined her on the porch.

“Let’s sit down and talk a while, shall we?” Buffy asked, taking Dawn’s hand in hers and setting them both on the porch swing.

Buffy slipped her right arm about her taller sister’s shoulders and pulled her close to her, causing Dawn to lay her dark head on her shoulder.

“It’s tough to be a female, isn’t it Dawnie?” Buffy sighed quietly, looking up into the cloudy night sky.

“Yeah,” Dawnie responded simply but honestly.

“People, well, Society, expects so much from us. So much different things then it expects from males. It’s hard to be a woman, a girl, a female in general, huh?”

Again, Dawn nodded as she snuggled closer to her sister for comfort or warmth, Buffy wasn’t sure at the moment.

“When I was your age, Dawnie, I was betrothed to Parker. I was way too young, too unknowing about life and things. So was he, though, but I, we, did what was expected of us, what we thought our familys wanted. I guess I just want you to experience more happiness in life, now, in the future, always. I love you very much Dawn, you know that don’t you?”

The younger girl nodded again and then yawned unceremoniously against Buffy.

“Love you too, Buffy,” she whispered, closing her blue eyes.

“Oh, Dawnie,” Buffy suddenly gasped in awe, causing the girl to bolt up.

“What!” Dawn cried looking about in confusion.

“It’s snowing!” Buffy pointed at the white puffs that had just started falling from the cold black sky.


A/N: Well, I’ve gone and done it again. . Please read and review. Thanks, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 11: Part II 'Second Chances' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 11: Part II ‘Second Chances’



Buffy sat quietly watching her three special students while they did their homework together. She had to smile, it was such a study in diversity, these three particular students and in this particular place. They were enscounced at Xander and Anya’s little house, where Buffy had taken to teaching Anya her letters and numbers for a while now. Anya’s baby was due in a month or so, that and the snow outside made it difficult for Mrs. Harris to get to Buffy for her lessons.

Buffy had started coming out to the little house, Connor would bring her and Dawn out in the Gile’s buckboard and then see them home again later, Spike tagging along after. Xander and Anya always had supper ready and set for the traveling schoolhouse, as Dawn liked to call themselves and Connor had began to sit in for his tutoring lessons also.

‘Anything to be close to Dawnie,’ Buffy chuckled to herself, watching the two youngest students, their heads bent over their books. Even at that moment, Connor was glancing over at Dawn, who was glancing right back at him and smiling coyly.

‘Oh, brother!’ thought Buffy, getting suddenly serious, ‘we really need to keep an eye on those two!’

Suddenly, Anya yelped, dropping her quill pen and spilling the little ink well she used all over the dining table Xander had built her.

“Xander!” Anya cried sharpely for her husband, Buffy noticed the woman had turned deathly pale.

“Anya, what is it?” Buffy jumped up and rushed to her, sorry suddenly that Xander had decided to make himself scarce during the tutoring sessions in his home.

“The baby,” Anya gasped, fear in her pretty brown eyes, “it’s coming, I think.”

Buffy’s heart almost stopped right there and she had to take a deep breath before she could speak again, but when she did, she immediately took charge.

“Connor, Dawn, run up to the Ranch house, now! Get someone to find Xander, have Spike and Angel come here with him. Connor either you or another reliable hand get into town immediately and grab Doctor Wilkens. This baby is coming and it’s not going to wait!”

Dawn stood stock still, white as a ghost, for a minute while Connor headed for the door, “Go Dawn, now! And, have Spike bring at least two bottles of unopened whiskey from the house. Can you remember that?” Buffy shouted in frustration, noticing the pool of water that had formed at Anya’s feet.

It terrified Buffy, ‘he’s not going to make it,’ she realized at that moment, ‘the Doctor won’t get here in time.’

That left only one other person to help Anya deliver the child and that was Buffy herself.

“I’ll remember Buffy,” Dawn shouted back as she took Connor’s impatient hand and followed him out the door.

Buffy helped Anya up, no, actually she pulled her up and half carried her to the bedroom where she laid her out on the huge oak bed.

“I’m cold, Buffy,” Anya stammered weakly, “I hurt and I’m scared, Buffy. I’m real scared, it’s too soon for the baby, isn’t it?”

Poor Anya’s voice was trembling from fear as another labour pain ripped through her.

Buffy shivered in slight fear herself, ‘they’re so close together,’ she thought, counting time in her head, ‘too close together.’

“Anya,” Buffy took the her muggy hand in her tiny one, “you are one of the bravest people I know and I truly admire you for that. And I know this is scary, really, but it’ll be okay, I promise.”

She assured Anya firmly as she went about covering her with blankets to warm her shivering body.

“I know about babies and such, honest. I’ll help you Anya, I won’t leave you and Xander will be here soon…”

As if on cue, Xander Harris came storming into the house and headed right for the bedroom. Buffy could hear Spike, Connor and Dawn talking excitedly out in the front room.

Xander sat down next to his wife, a false smile of bravery on his handsome face as he took her hand. Buffy slipped out into the front room to delegate her orders to the three people that stood in apprehension out there.

She started with Dawn; “start boiling water, Dawnie,” Buffy ordered. “When it’s boiled, stick as many small towels you can find in the water and let them steam. Spike,” she glanced at the man before her, “I’ll send Xander out in a short while. Take him outside, keep him there and make him drink as much whiskey as you can.”

She pointed at the bottles of whiskey that Spike and Connor held, noting they had brought three bottles with them, Buffy reached out and grabbed one of them. She reached up on the counter and picked out a good sharp knife, then ordered Spike to open the iron stove door. After she stuck the knife’s blade into the roaring fire of the stove, held it there for a few seconds, she twisted the top off of one of the whiskey bottles. She hurried over to the kitchen sink and proceeded to douse her hands and arms, up to her elbows in the alcohol, along with the hot knife blade.

Spike joined her at the sink and Buffy shivered slightly as he touched her arm gently, “you’re going to deliver the baby, Buffy?” he asked slowly.

Buffy nodded then turned to him as she wiped her hands and arms dry of the liquid, “I’ve seen this before,” she stated simply, “my Mother. I watched when Mammy Buffy tried to deliver my little brother.”

The oldest Giles gazed at her with what Buffy thought looked like admiration, mixed with some fear, “didn’t your brother….”

Buffy stared back at him, “we’ll talk about ‘that’ later. Anya needs me.”

“Buffy?” Dawn whimpered softly, looking extremely frightened, “what are we going to do?”

Buffy gave her little sister a sympathetic look then stated firmly, “you and I are going to deliver a baby, Dawn.”

Her little sister looked as if she was about ready to faint dead away, but Buffy motioned for her to follow as she dragged Spike back into the bedroom.

“Xander,” Buffy began sternly, “you go with Spike and Connor, outside and wait for me to come fetch you when it’s time.”

Xander looked up at Buffy and she swore she saw tears in his eyes; he was terrified.

‘All the more reason he should not be in here,’ Buffy reasoned silently.

“Please go, Xander,” Buffy murmered more gently this time, “I’ll take care of Anya, Dawnie and me both; I promise.”

The tall dark haired man looked longingly at his wife, bent and kissed her moist forehead, mumbling how much he loved her. He then rose and reluctantly allowed Spike and Connor to take him away from there.

“Xander!” Anya whimpered loudly, reaching out to the thin air.

“No Anya,” Buffy took her strong hand in her own smaller one, “Xander needs to be away now. Dawn and me, we’ll take care of you, I promise. Then after this little rascal,” and Buffy smiled warmly and touched Anya’s swollen tummy, “after he or she comes, Xander can come back and see both of you. It’s going to be okay Anya.”

Buffy wasn’t sure if she was trying to assure Anya, herself or both of them, ‘I have to do this,’ she swallowed back her own fear, ‘I’m the only one that can now.’

Anya seemed to relax just a smidgen for a moment, then another labour pain shot through her and she cried out in anguish, “Oh God! I’m going to die, Buffy!”

Dawn began to cry softly from her position on the chair next to the bed and Buffy shot her a stern, warning look, hissing, “Dawnie, pay attention now. Here’s a pocket watch, time the pains Anya has from start to finish. When they’ve passed, you count the time between the end and the next pain. Report the time to me each sequence. I mean it Dawn, you’ll just have to buck up and do this. I’m relying on you and I know you can do this for Anya and me.”

Dawnie looked a little too unsure and very scared, but she took the pocket watch, the one Buffy had borrowed from Spike, and began to watch the time tick on it, counting along in her head.

“You are not going to die, Anya,” Buffy assured the anguished woman, “I won’t let you. I’m going to bring this baby into this world, healthy, safe and put it right into your very alive arms. I love you Anya,” Buffy finished simply, softly, “you are my good friend, you and Xander both. I’d rather die myself then let anything happen to you or your child. Believe me?”

Buffy smiled warmly at Anya who nodded shakily, “I believe you Buffy,” she groaned out.

Another pain hit her and Buffy glanced over at Dawnie, who true to her word, kept watching the face of the watch and counting underneath her breath.

“Oh, Buffy,” Dawn whispered in horror, “I don’t know, that last one, the pain it lasted so long, then the next one came so close to it?”

‘Dawn’s going to lose it,’ Buffy thought with trepidation, ‘she’s not going to be able to keep up with us.’

“Dawn, it’s all right,” she lied to her little sister, knowing full well that it really wasn’t. The baby ‘was’ coming too soon and Anya was already so weak that Buffy feared she wouldn’t have the strength to actually ‘give birth’ to it.

“Buffy?” Anya groaned again, squeezing her hand so hard Buffy thought it might break, “I need to tell you something. I need to talk to you and Dawn…explain some things, for later if I don’t make it. I want you to hear them, please, Buffy I need…..”

“All right, Anya dear,” Buffy nodded and smiled bravely at her, “you can talk all you want, and scream if you have to, from the pain. We’ll listen, Dawnie and I, but promise you won’t talk so much that you weaken anymore, honey, I need you strong for this.”

The brown eyed woman nodded weakly and Buffy felt her relax her grip on her hand while her whole body seemed to calm momentarily. Anya began to talk, almost ramble really, in a low, strained voice filled with pain and sorrow.

“I was the oldest of five kids,” she began, her brown eyes half closed as if remembering. “My real father had died when I was maybe eleven or so. My Mother was pretty, real pretty and it wasn’t long before a man, my stepfather came into our lives. I spose Mama thought he was ‘our’ savior or somethin’ but he turned out to be a real…”

Anya paused and looked over at Dawn who sat stock still in fear, her blue eyes wide with it. Buffy gave Dawn ‘a look’ then squeezed Anya’s hand gently, “go on Anya, honey,” she encouraged her, thinking that the talk might help the poor thing forget some of the physical pain she was enduring.

“I hated him, Buffy,” Anya groaned, again squeezing Buffy’s hand tightly, “he was a mean, nasty thing and he, he always was lookin’ at me, funny, you know? Not like a daddy should, especially when I turned thirteen. By then, he was always tryin’ to get me alone somewhere and saying just awful things to me. Always asking me if I was a tramp, like Mama.”

Buffy began to stroke Anya’s hand lovingly, “it’s okay, honey,” she purred to the pained woman, “you don’t have to say anything more, just…”

Anya tensed up again and Dawnie began her time counting chant, louder this time, “I gotta’ say it, Buffy, Dawn, I gotta’ get this off my chest, in case, well you know. Please hear me….”

Buffy nodded her head, “go ahead then,” and signaled to Dawn to listen, too. It seemed so important to Anya.

“The day I turned sixteen,” Anya hissed, “I ran away, left Mama, my little brothers and sister, that horrible man. Don’t know how, really, no, I do, but I don’t care to talk about ‘that’ today. Eventually, I got here, to the Wyoming Territory and finally ended up at Maggies, where I…..”

Another pain shot through the poor girls body and Buffy worried she just might pass out from it.

“Anya,” Buffy whispered, bringing her hand up to her lips and kissing it lightly, “it’s time now. When I tell you to, you push as hard as you can for me, okay?”

Anya nodded weakly, but smiled bravely.

“And Anya,” Buffy met the woman’s gaze, “please believe this…Xander, this baby, they are your second chance. Everybody gets a second chance Anya, everybody. Even me,” she smiled with glistening green eyes, thinking about Cheyenne, her new life out here and new friends.

“If I die Buffy,” Anya moaned out, “if I don’t make it, Xander, please Buffy. Help my Xander with the baby. He’s such a good man, but he’ll never be able to care for the baby alone, you know that.”

Buffy tensed up and started to cry herself, but covered it, “well, you know I’d do anything for you and Xander, Anya,” she assured her, “but it won’t be necessary. You are going to be fine. Women have been having babies for thousands of years and other women have helped deliver them. You’ll be fine, I mean that. I swear it. Now please, push hard for me honey,” she ordered firmly but tenderly.

“Here,” Buffy tossed Dawn a clean rolled up white towel, “when it’s time, when the pain gets so bad that Anya can’t take it anymore, put that little towel in her mouth. Anya,” Buffy turned her attention back to the pained woman on the bed, “you bite down on that little towel if you need to. If you feel like biting or gritting your teeth together. And scream as much as you want, you’ve earned it.”

Dawn was white as cotton, but she held the little towel in one hand and Anya’s hand in her other. Buffy threw the covers of the bed off of Anya and spread her pale legs wide open to make room for the coming baby.

“Now,” Buffy grimaced as she placed her hands between Anya’s thighs, a sterile white towel close by, “push!” she grunted.

Anya cried out and pushed as hard as she could, “harder!” Buffy cried harshly. She braced Anya’s legs apart with her strong hands and ordered again, “push!”

A little head peeked out to reveal itself to Buffy as she waited patiently for the next session of pushes and Anya’s pained screams.

“Oh, Anya,” Buffy cried in glee, “the baby’s head, I see it. It’s got black thick hair all over the dear little thing!”

She smiled up at Anya who looked like she had been smoking opium all afternoon, her eyes were half closed, her mouth slack in weakness.

“I swear,” Buffy heard Anya groan, “I’ll never let Xander Harris touch me again!”

Buffy almost laughed out loud, but took hold of herself and ordered one last time, “push!” she near screamed, ignoring Dawn’s fearful whimpers.

Suddenly, a little wet tiny body shot out of Anya’s own body and into Buffy’s hands.

Buffy held the child up and began to work the tiny pads of her feet, ‘cry,’ she chanted her prayer to herself, ‘cry and breathe.’

The little dark haired girl broke out in a lusty cry and Buffy damn near broke down and cried herself.

“It’s a girl!” she heard her little sister Dawn cry joyfully.

“Oh! We wanted a little girl, so bad!” Anya cried out, reaching for the child in Buffy’s arms.

“Let me clean her, dear,” Buffy cautioned, “that and I need to…” she glanced at the sterilized knife that lay nearby on the little table. “Dawnie,” Buffy looked at her little sister with so much pride and love at what the girl had helped them with, “you help Anya now. Wipe up her face, brush out her hair. I’m going to clean the little Angel here up and give her to her Mama.”

Dawn quickly found a clean towel and began to wipe Anya’s soaked brow and cheeks, “she’s beautiful, Anya,” Dawnie murmered, tears running down her little face.

“Yeah, she is,” Anya agreed numbly, giggling wildly. Buffy had done a pretty good job of cleaning the baby up and had wrapped her in a soft blanket. She leaned over and settled the child in her Mother’s arms, smiling at Anya lovingly as the woman anxiously took her ‘second chance’ in her arms.

“Can I go get Xander now?” Dawn asked hopefully, “can I tell him he’s got a baby daughter?”

Buffy glanced at Anya who nodded at Dawnie, “you go get that big old handsome husband of mine,” Mrs. Harris sighed weakly, “and yes, you tell him he got what he wanted. A little girl.”

When Dawn had slipped out to retrieve the new Papa, Anya looked up at Buffy and smiled, “thank you, Buffy,” she whispered reverently.

“If you hadn’t been here…”

Buffy shook her head, “like I said,” she took Anya’s hand in her own tinier one, “I’d do anything for you Anya. You are my friend and a good one.”

Anya frowned briefly, “what I said, about not ever letting Xander touch me again…”

Buffy chuckled loudly, “oh Anya, if every woman that said ‘that’ while birthing, actually meant it, human kind would have been doomed years ago!”

Xander stumbled into the bedroom, not too terribly drunk and kneeled next to the bed, taking his wife and child into his massive arms.

“Look, Xander,” Buffy slipped out of the room and the house to give them privacy, but not before she heard Anya say in awe, “look, Xander. Look what we made together.”


A/N: This was supposed to be a longer chapter, but I wrote most of it and then split it in half. Please read and review and I hope this chapter wasn’t too ‘much’ or too sappy. Thanks again. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 12: Part I 'Elizabeth' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 12: ‘Elizabeth’


Buffy slipped out of the Harris’s little house, the one Xander built recently, finding Spike, Connor and Dawn on the front porch. Connor was standing in front of Dawn, his hands on either one of her elbows, grinning proudly as she rambled on about the events inside.

“Dawn,” Buffy said quietly, “I’m sure Connor is very proud of you, but please, remember that things said under ‘those’ circumstances are private, meant for our ears only, okay?”

Dawn nodded, wide-eyed at her older sister, then leaned into Connor, placing her dark head against his chest. “It was amazing,” Dawn sighed in a hushed tone, not at all embarrassed by the intimacy that she and Connor shared at that moment.

Spike cleared his throat and gazed up at Buffy. He leaned back against the porch steps where he sat, the admiration in his eyes for her was overwhelming.

“Are you okay, Princess?” he asked softly, his voice was edged with concern and love. That and total admiration for her; it sent another shiver up her spine and enveloped her in a warm wave of emotion that she had not felt in years.

Spike pushed himself up from the stairs and sauntered over to Buffy, his usual bravado was certainly absent tonight. Taking her little hands in his, he brought them to his lips and placed feathery kisses on her palms.

“You’re what’s amazing,” he murmered, catching her gaze with his.

She blushed, shyly and he chuckled to himself, ‘oh my darling Buffy,’ he thought. ‘You are a piece of work, woman. So strong, yet so vulnerable. I love you Buffy Summers, with every ounce of my being and I’ll make you see that, soon.’

Buffy did not pull her little hands from him, instead she seemed to increase the pressure of her touch on his lips.

“Spike,” she whispered hazily, perhaps from sheer exhaustion of the earlier miracle she’d had a hand in, “thank you.”

Of all the things for his Buffy to say, Spike did not expect that. “Thank you?” he asked in surprise.

“Yes,” she brought her hands up to cup both his facial cheeks, “if you hadn’t of come with Xander, helped him, made him sit with you and Connor, I don’t know. It would have been twice as hard to help Anya, I’m sure.”

The oldest Giles son held his love’s tiny hands to his face, gently stroking them, making sure Buffy understood the depth of his love, admiration and respect for her.

“We are a bloody hell of a team, Princess,” he whispered as he leaned into kiss her sweet lips.

“Buffy,” Dawn whimpered from a few feet away, “I’m terribly tired now, can I go up to the house and rest?”

It broke the spell that Buffy and Spike seemed to be under, “yes, honey,” Buffy turned to face her sister, “if it’s all right with Connor’s folks, you go on up and sleep.”

Spike sighed and cursed under his breath but agreed with Buffy, “yes, go on up Dawn. Connor take Dawn up to the house, have Wauneta (the matronly maid) fetch a bath for her. Buffy’ll be up soon to have one too, we want both of you to spend the night here. Jennifer has already insisted and Dad’s agreed; best for you both to clean up and rest up here. Tomorrow there will be a huge breakfast for you and you can come check on Xander and Anya in the morning.”

Buffy gave Spike a look of apprciation, “we could use that,” she nodded.

“I do want to wait for Doctor Wilkens to come and check in on Anya and the baby though.”

As if on cue, Angel arrived with Doc Wilkens in tow, “how’s Anya,” Angel cried anxiously.

“She’s just fine, brother,” Connor crowed, drawing Dawn close to him.

“Buffy and Dawn here, they delivered a baby girl to Anya and Xander, just a bit ago!”

Angel grinned at the little group, Xander was one of his best friends, and hopped down from the buckboard.

“Well isn’t that damn fine!” the middle Gile’s son crowed, slapping Connor on the back and smiling at Dawn.

Doctor Wilkens hurried past Buffy and Spike, stopping long enough to give the school teacher a warm smile, “you are an amazing young woman, Miss Summers.”

Spike grinned and nodded at Buffy lovingly, placing his hand in hers once more, “that she is, Doc, that she is,” he confirmed.

Buffy was so overcome with humbleness, that she barely realized how ‘right’ Spike’s hand felt in hers. Barely that is.

“Conn, you take Dawn up to the house now,” Spike ordered his younger brother gently. “Go right up, you hear me boy?” he added without smiling at all, “from here, Buffy and me have a clear view of the path upto the back house. No fooling around on the way, get Dawn up there and inside.”

Spike gave his brother a very serious look and Dawn blushed as red as could be. Buffy stifled a giggle.

“Okay, Spike,” Connor nodded, blushing himself and taking Dawn’s hand in his as if it was the most natural thing in the world to do.

“Goodnight, Buffy and Spike,” Dawn bid, yawning and allowing Connor to lead her up to the house.

“Night,” Connor called as he led his little package up the pathway.

“Hmmm,” Buffy sighed as Spike and her watched the two younger versions of themselves head up the little hill.

“I think we had that talk just in time, don’t you?” she asked, looking up at Spike who was now gazing at her.

“Yup,” he agreed simply.

“Now, however,” Spike purred as he spun Buffy around to face him, pulling her little chin up to meet his gaze, “I think you and I need to ‘talk’ some more. Okay,” he added, “maybe not talk but this.”

He leaned down and kissed Buffy tenderly, changing the pressure quickly to encourage her soft lips to open and allow him to kiss her more deeply. His delight was evident when she not only allowed their tongues to meet, but seemed to urge him on by kissing him back.

“Buffy,” he moaned against her mouth hoarsely, pulling her even tighter into his vice like grip and praying she didn’t feel the hardness between his legs. Just then, Angel came bounding out of the Harris house, a bottle of whiskey in his hand, “the baby’s beautiful!” he exclaimed, apparently oblivious to the beautiful little scene he had just interrupted between his brother and Buffy.

Spike groaned out loud, “thanks a lot Angel,” as Buffy broke their embrace and stumbled back from him. She was bright red with embarrassment at being caught, yes, but Spike suspected that Buffy had indeed felt the bulge between his legs against her.

“What?” Angel asked innocently enough, “now I can’t breathe or what? I just came out cos’ Doc Wilkens is shooing me and Xander out of the house for a while. He wants to make sure Anya’s okay and Xander’s bringing the baby out here to give them privacy.”

Buffy stopped blushing and hurried to the front door of the house, “oh I hope Xander bundled the baby well enough,” she fretted, anxiously watching the door for the new father.

“It’s suddenly cold out tonight,” she explained, smiling over at Spike.

“Just noticed, huh?” Angel smirked over at his older brother, evidently, the younger Gile’s had been more observant then Buffy thought.

“Yes, well…” Buffy began, but she was interrupted yet again when a beaming Xander strode out of the door, a huge bundle of blankets in his large arms.

“Oh!” Buffy clapped her hands together excitedly, “let’s see the little angel!”

Xander pulled the lighter blanket from his daughter’s face to expose the creamy skin and black thick hair on her head.

“Oh, Xander,” Buffy sniffed as she began to weep softly, “she is just gorgeous! She looks like both of you, Anya and you. Look at her black hair! Her eyes, they’re already chocolate brown like you guys, not a bit of blue in them, usually is at birth. But this little beauty, she’s a copy of both of you!”

Xander just nodded and grinned at Buffy then his daughter, who slept, well, just like a baby should. He then grinned smugly at the two other men who flanked Buffy’s tiny body, “when you and Buffy going to have one?” Xander innocently asked Spike.

Buffy blushed again, she felt the hotness flush up her neck to her face, unable to answere Xander, of course. Spike piped in, “soon as I can convince Buffy here to marry me, we’ll start in right away, I’m sure.”

Buffy shot Spike one of her famous ‘looks’ but he merely stared right back at her. ‘I’m not backing down on this Buffy,’ he communicated to her, silently, ‘you are stuck with me, whether you realized it yourself or not.’

Angel was the one actually saved the moment by asking, “what are you and Anya gonna’ name the baby, Xand?”

The big dark haired man glanced back down at his newborn daughter and then back up at Buffy, “Anya, and me too, we thought we’d like to call her Elizabeth Dawn. If that’s alright Buffy?”

Spike watched his love’s expression instantly turn from mock indignation at ‘his’ words, into stunned joy at Xander’s.

“Oh, Xander,” Buffy whispered, the tears really flowed down her face now, “you don’t have to. I mean, I would love it, so would Dawnie, but if you’d rather…”

Xander shook his big dark head, “no, it’s what we both want, Anya and me. Thought we’d call her Beth for short, it’s simple and sweet.”

Buffy nodded, unable to form words for a moment or two, then finally, she said, “okay, Xander. I would love for the baby to be named Elizabeth. And yes, Beth is a lovely nickname for her.”

Doctor Wilkens came out the door right then, smiling from ear to ear, “Anya’s fine,” he assured Xander, “and that baby is one of the prettiest I’ve ever seen.”

The good Doctor leaned in and tickled the soft face gently, “you get her back inside now Xander to her Mama. Angel, Buffy, you go with him, please. I’d like to talk to Spike privately.”

All of the people on the porch gave the Doctor a concerned look, except the baby of course, she slept on peacefully.

“No, no, it’s not bad news, just something I need to talk to Spike about, another matter that is,” he assured the men and woman with a chuckle. Xander, holding his child securely led the other two adults back into the house, while Spike hesitated outside with Doctor Wilkens.

After the others had gone inside, the door securely shut behind them, Spike turned to the Doc and raised his left, scarred brow questioningly.

“Well, Spike,” the Doctor began with another chuckled, “I felt like I should have a talk with you. Not that you need it of course, son, everyone pretty much realizes how you ‘feel’ about Miss Buffy Summers, but, after tonight, I thought I might share some words with you. Not that it’s any business of mine, or anyone else’s in the Territory, but we all think so much of you two young people.”

Spike smiled at the Doctor and lit a cigarette, offering one to him. “Yes, I’ll have one, I believe and Angel insists I come up to the house, later and have a drink with you boys. Believe I’ll do that too.”

Both men laughed, but Spike soon became serious again, “so, what do you wanna’ talk about Doc,” he asked taking a drag on his cigarette.

Doctor Wilkens gave Spike a warm, friendly smile. “Well, Spike,” he began quietly, “it’s like I said, not really anyone’s business, but yours and Buffy’s, but we all care for you two so much. Buffy’s quite a woman, but you know that already, don’t you?”

Spike chuckled, “yeah, I know, and I’ve never made it a secret to anyone that I’d marry her tomorrow, if she’d have me, but…”

The Doctor nodded and took a drag on his own cigarette, “yes, ‘but’; that’s the rub, isn’t it Spike? Buffy’s hedging, which I suppose is understandable, being a young widow and all. But, then again, I’ve a feeling that it’s not the widow part, or her late husband’s untimely death that troubles Buffy so. I’ve a feeling it runs deeper then that, much deeper and this is my advice to you…”

Spike scrunched up his brows, dropped the butt of his cigarette and put the ember out with his boot, “yes,” he nodded at the Doctor.

“I think, Spike,” Doctor Wilkens, “that Buffy cares for you very much, much more then that idiot Deputy she goes to supper with on Saturdays.”

Spike flinched at the mention of Riley Finn, but fought the urge to curse in jealousy in front of the Doc.

“I think, Spike,” the Doctor continued, his own brows scrunched in thought, “that maybe you should try and get Buffy to talk about what’s ‘really’ troubling her. Get it off her chest and get on with her life. Then, you two can go on together, get married, like you say and starting having some miracles of your own.”

Doctor Wilkens finished with a nod at the Harris front door. With a small chuckle, Spike reached out and shook the Doctor’s hand, “I’ll do that, Doc,” he assured the man, “and you’re right. There is something troubling Buffy, other then her past marriage, there’s more, I know it. She’s as much as admitted it to me before, offerred to talk about ‘it’ when the time was right. So, as soon as she does speak up about it, I believe, too, that me and her, we’ll have a good chance together.”


A/N: Well, a shortie, for me, to move things along a bit. Next chapter will take place mostly at the Gile’s Ranch house, but doesn’t Buffy have a ‘date’ with Riley on Saturday? Hmmm. Thanks for reading, please review! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 12: Part II 'I Couldn't Sleep All Night' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 12: Part II ‘I Couldn’t Sleep All Night’


“Don’t be silly, Buffy dear,” Jennifer Giles was adamantly assuring her that Dawnie and her would not be any inposition that evening or at any time.

“Thank you, so much, Jennifer,” Buffy sighed, quite exhausted by this time as she followed the older woman back upstairs to the bedrooms on the second floor of the house. Buffy hesitated in the middle of the stairs glanced down at the parlor below to where Rupert Giles, Spike, Doctor Wilkens and Angel were starting their second rounds of brandy and whiskeys.

Spike smiled up at her and winked, immediately illiciting a flush of burning heat to shoot up her neck into her face.

‘I’m sure he could see that from there,’ she thought shyly, but this time, she smiled softly at the thought. ‘I know he loves to see me blush,’ Buffy chuckled inwardly as she followed Jenny to the top of the stairs quickly.

Before she continued down the hall to the guest room her and Dawnie would be sleeping in that night, Buffy paused and caught Spike’s gaze again. She shot him a suggestive little half smirk and continued to follow Jenny to the guest room.

‘There,’ Buffy thought coyly, ‘you just take that naughty little memory of my smile with you to bed, Mister.’

‘Bloody hell,’ Spike cursed under his breath, ‘little chit really gave it to me good, didn’t she?’ Buffy’s little smile, which was really quite suggestive, had instantly given him a thousand or more visions of her naked in bed with him.

‘Count your blessings, Princess,’ he smirked himself as he silently continued to stare at the upstairs, ‘if you were alone in that little guest room, I’d sneak in later and…’

“William,” Rupert Gile’s booming voice broke his pleasant Buffy reverie, “Doctor Wilkens will be staying tonight. We can’t have our best and only physician in the town out traveling so late at night. I will have Jennifer put him up in your old room tonight, you and Angel shall accompany he and the girls back to town tomorrow.”

Spike nodded absently, still staring up at the top of the stairs.

“I do not think your oldest son is the least bit interested in my sleeping arrangements Rupert,” the Doctor laughed gruffly.

“He seems more interested in Buffy Summers and where she’s sleeping tonight.”

Every man in the room burst out into laughter, except Spike, he just shook his head and plopped down on the leather sofa beside him.

“Well, why the bloody hell not?” he finally muttered, much to the enjoyment of the three other men in the room. “If it’s escaped all of your attention, I’ve made it clear I plan to marry Buffy Summers. I think I’m entitled to ‘think’ about her ain’t I?”

Again, the three men laughed loudly at the frustrated frown on Spike’s face.

“It’s all very well and fine to think grand thoughts and strut around, William,” Rupert chuckled amicably, sipping his brandy, “but you better get your brand on that girl and soon. Doctor Wilkens tells me that Riley Finn seems to be quite sure that it’s ‘he’ that will win Miss Summers lovely hand in wedlock.”

Spike shot the Doc a sour look, but only received a good natured grin from the middle aged physician. It reminded him of what he and the Doctor had discussed outside the Harris house earlier that evening.

‘He’s right,’ Spike reasoned silently, ‘Buffy and I need to really be alone, literally and talk privately about whatever it is that troubles her so.’

Doctor Wilkens gave Spike an amicable nod and went back to drinking his brandy with Rupert and Angel.

“I’ll shoot Finn before I let him have Buffy,” Spike growled, but grinned despite it.

Rupert stopped laughing completely, “William,” he sighed in exhasperation, “I hardly think it’s necessary to shoot Riley Finn, even if it is tempting. Poor wanker is a bit dense.”

Everyone, including Spike broke out into loud, riotous laughter.

Buffy lay quietly in the small bed that set closest to the guest room door that she and her little sister occupied for the night. Dawn had gone to bed much earlier then Buffy had, having bathed quickly, finished off a hearty late supper at the Gile’s table and stumbled up into the cozy little guest room to sleep. Jennifer had insisted on talking to Buffy over tea before the eldest Summer’s girl bathed herself and eaten a satisfying meal at the table.

Spike had hovered nearby, comfortably leaned against the kitchen wall as he watched Buffy gobble her meal down with gusto. After Buffy had retired to the indoor bath to wash and relax, Spike joined the other men in the parlor to drink and toast the Harris’s and their new daughter. Since Jennifer Giles was a petite woman, built a lot like Buffy, her clothes would have to suffice for the stay at the ranch. Dawnie made do with a gown of Drusilla’s that the eldest Gile’s child had left when she went back to England.

Dawn was snoring, softly in her sleep, a slight smile on her pretty little face.

‘Suppose she’s dreaming about the excitement of earlier,’ Buffy smiled to herself, brushing her little sister’s dark hair from her face. ‘That or Connor,’ Buffy fretted. It wasn’t that Buffy didn’t understand Dawn and Connor’s infatuation with each other, it was obvious the two youngsters were devoted to each other. No, it was something else all together. Buffy truly felt that Dawn deserved a chance at something more out of life then marriage, babies; her baby sister deserved a life of travel, excitement and discovery.

Something Buffy herself had always wanted but never really found until she had traveled out here to Wyoming and a new life. Connor was destined to go to a college, somewhere, Rupert Giles was adamant about that as his youngest boy was so much like his oldest one.

Although different as night and day in looks, Spike and Connor could have been twins in intelligence and their eagerness for education. Both of the brothers loved to read, Buffy had found that out right away and it pleased her, especially since it was just one of the things she and Spike and in common.

Although she was quite exhausted herself, Buffy found it difficult to just fall fast asleep as Dawn had done. Her mind kept going to the events at the Harris house, both inside and the miracle she’d witnessed and outside, later

‘I cannot fault Spike for reacting to our kisses like he did,’ she surmised, ‘I was pretty overwhelmed by them too.’ She tried not to giggle out loud at the thought of Spike’s irritation at his younger brother, when Angel had interrupted Buffy and his romantic interlude on the porch.

‘Just as well Angel burst in on us,’ she reasoned, sighing softly, ‘no telling what I would have allowed to happen right there in the sight of God and the prairie dogs!’

Buffy giggled this time, not loud though, she did not want to risk waking her sleeping sister in the next little bed. ‘Oh, but Spike kisses me so very devinely,’ she sighed again, smiling, ‘and apparently my kisses make him very happy indeed!’ This was the last thought Buffy had before she fell into a very deep sleep.

The next morning, as promised, Jennifer had a huge breakfast prepared for Buffy, Dawn, Doctor Wilkens and the Giles family. After breakfast, Angel hurried off to some corner of the ranch land to find a cow or something. Spike had dissapeared right after breakfast, while Connor went about his regular chores and Dawn scurried down to check on Anya, Xander and little Elizabeth Dawn, dragging Jennifer Giles with her.

Buffy stayed behind at the ranch to tidy up the guest room that she and Dawnie had used the night before and grab her wrap and things. Once she had checked on Anya and the baby, Buffy was going to take Dawn and Doctor Wilkens, accompanied by Spike and Angel back to Cheyenne. As Buffy hurried down the empty second floor hallway, she passed an open door of a bedroom. Before she could slip past the room, Spike’s strong arm shot out and he grabbed Buffy’s own arm with his large hand. She was so startled that she forgot to gasp, even when Spike had pulled her into his room then slammed the door behind them.

“When you throw a man who loves you like I do a coy little ‘come hither’ smile like you did last night, Princess,” Spike purred sensuously, “you better be prepared to face the consequences. I mean, I couldn’t sleep all night, ‘thinkin’ about you just down the hallway. Lucky for you, you weren’t alone or I’d have snuck in, maybe done this, or better.”

With that, Spike pulled Buffy flush up to him and began to kiss her hungrily, making sure he had her in a vice like, enescapable grip. She tried to struggle out of his grasp, kind of that is, but he noticed she wasn’t being too forceful about that.

However, she did manage to stop kissing him back for a moment and pulled her face away from his, a severe look of mock indignation in her green eyes.

“What are you doing?” she gasped, wide-eyed and flushed red with shock. “Kissing you,” Spike rasped back with a sly smirk, “what, I’m doing something wrong? You don’t know a kiss when…” Buffy rolled her eyes at him, “no, I mean, what are you doing it here for, now?”

“It’s my room,” he chuckled innocently, kind of, “I think since it’s my room, I should be able to kiss ‘my girl’ in it. Don’t you?”

Buffy sighed, more of a growl really and shook her head violently, “no,” she hissed, “you can’t kiss me in your room, in your parents house in the middle of the day and remember, technically I am not your….”

It was Spike’s turn to growl, “don’t say it,” his chuckle was gone as was his smile. “You are my girl, now, tomorrow and forever. You’re just too damn stubborn to see it or admit it. Christ Buffy, you know how our bodies react to each other, even if we’re just ‘around’ each other. How can you be so bloody stubborn, or blind, or both. We can’t get within ten miles of each other without sensing the other one. If that doesn’t make you my girl, or me your man, then what does?”

He was rewarded with a very confused looking little Buffy, who was by the way, still wrapped in his arms. “I don’t know,” Buffy worried her bottom lip and averted her eyes from his, “I just, I guess I just get a little overwhelmed by you Spike. I’m still unsure, it’s still so soon and I’m still afraid about ‘some things’ that I dwell on. It’s wrong of me, I know that, but…”

Buffy wasn’t surprised when Spike quieted her with another one of his lovely kisses, so she just shut up for once and kissed him back. The next thing she knew, somehow Spike and her had ended up on his bed, laying together like it was the most natural thing in the world. He was stroking her hair, her face and arm with his right hand, while he lay next to her propped up on his left arm.

“Spike,” she murmered as he began to pepper her forehead with light little kisses, then trailed them down to her cheeks and mouth.

“What, luv,” he asked huskily as he smiled affectionately down at her.

“This isn’t right, us being in here, alone like this in such a way that would be quite unacceptable to your folks, my sister, the maid,” she added firmly, trying not to moan in pleasure out loud.

Spike was, right at that moment, running his right hand over her material covered left breast and starting the kissy stuff again on her lips.

“Oh, Spike,” Buffy groaned, wrapping her own arm about him and pulling him closer to her, “that’s so very nice, what you’re doing, but it, it’s not right. I’m sorry, but I can’t help but think that this is just not the right time or place for this. There’s so much I need to tell you and so much ‘I’ need to understand before…”

Spike stopped his tender ministrations to her left breast and reached around to hold her tightly. “I know Princess,” he shushed her soothingly, “I guess I just want you to realize something. You and me, we can have this all the time, always together. Think of it Buffy, you and me, our own place and little beautiful babies together. Course, I’d want to have you all to myself most of the time, but I can be unselfish, share you with our little rugrats. All’s you have to say, darling,” he gazed deeply into her eyes, “is say the word. Make me the happiest man on earth.”

Buffy licked her suddenly dry lips and swallowed hard, trying to steady her racing heart, “you said you’d give me time, Spike,” she whispered shyly.

“And I will,” he responded evenly, “again, I’ll wait forever for you Buffy, longer if I have to. I love you so much and….”

Suddenly Dawn’s anxious voice broke into Spike’s declaration, “Buffy! Come on down, come see the baby! She’s awake and all cute and everything! Come on Buffy!”

Spike snorted in frustration, then just collapsed back on his bed, laughing gruffly.

“Christ! I can’t get a break!” he chuckled and glanced over at Buffy who was scurrying off his bed, straightening her dress.

“I’ll slip out the door, stay put for a few mintutes, okay Spike?” she pleaded nervously, glancing first at the closed bedroom door, then back at him.

“If I call down to her, send her outside, Dawnie won’t be the wiser that we were in here together,” Buffy continued as she creeped over to the door.

“Buffy,” Spike whispered, probably a bit too loudly for her taste, “I mean it. You know I love you, what we can have together. Just take your time, you’ll come around. ‘I’ know that much. By the way, Princess,” Spike added harshly, “I don’t want you going to supper with that idiot Deputy Finn tonight. Do you understand?”

Buffy spun around, at the door, and put her hands on her hips, ‘luscious little hips,’ Spike mused, preparing himself for an onslaught of angry words from ‘his girl.’ Instead, Buffy just rolled her beautiful green eyes at him, smiled sweetly and blew him a kiss.

“I’m coming,” she called out the now open bedroom door and slipped out of his room.

Spike lay on his bed, quite frustrated physically naturally, but his heart beat rapidly and he was very happy.

‘She’s comin’ around,’ he grinned staring up at the ceiling like a love sick school boy, ‘she’ll be mine by the New Year. I know it.’

He loved Buffy Summers with a passion that even he never knew he had inside of him. The little dance that Buffy and him had done for the last few months was a bit frustrating, yes, but also quite arousing for Spike. When Buffy and he finally made love, it would be wonderful, poetic and magical.

‘Fuck!’ Spike sighed, placing his hands and arms beneath his head on his pillow and staring up at the ceiling his Father had carved with his own hands, ‘Buffy and me, we’ll make the bloody earth move when we make love!’

A sudden commotion outside the ranch house made Spike bolt up from his bed and fling his window open.

“Where’s the fire?” he cried excitedly from his stance at the second story window.

“It’s Buffy,” Angel shouted up from the front yard, “Dawn claims her sister has fainted dead away down at the Harris’s and she’s frantic!”

Spike never hesitated as he fled the privacy of his room and sprinted down the staircase and out the front door.

Buffy felt herself being lifted up from the Harris kitchen floor, even though she was less then awake at the time. It must have been Xander, or maybe Connor that picked her body up and carried her up to the Gile’s main house. By the time that Buffy woke up from her ‘vapor’ she realized that Jennifer Giles and Connor were close by, it was Angel that spirited her up to the house. Doctor Wilkens had been outside on the porch, taking the air in, when the little group arrived up at the main house. Buffy sensed Spike very close by and she glanced about the immediate area to find him hovering over her, a sick look of worry on his lovely face.

“Bring her inside,” Doctor Wilkens ordered firmly as Buffy was only barely aware that the physician followed them into the parlor. She felt herself being laid on the parlor sofa and Spike take her hand in his, “it’ll be okay, baby,” the oldest Gile’s boy murmered, “you’re just worn out, luv, that’s all.”

Doctor Wilkens was issuing some orders, “give the lady some air,” he stated firmly.

“Angel, bring Buffy a glass of brandy, or wine if you’ve got some available. Poor thing is sick with exhaustion from the past couple of days. Rupert, Jennifer,” Buffy heard the Doctor address her hosts, “I think Buffy should stay here a couple of days, at least. School’s out until Wednesday, give Buffy some time to rest and pull out of this melancholy she’s sunk into. I’ve seen this before, they do too much, take on so very much.”

Buffy was in a haze, still, but she heard Jennifer Giles agree to what Doctor Wilkens was saying. It seemed that Spike seconded the suggestion of Buffy and Dawn staying on at the Ranch for a couple of more days, in fact, everyone of the little group seemed to agree with the Doctor.

Somewhere, off in a distance, Buffy heard Rupert Giles issue some orders to Angel and Connor, “take Dawn into Cheyenne, within the hour.” Spike was there, close by, Buffy felt him, taking her hand, holding it close.

“Take Dawn and get some things she and Buffy might need to stay on a couple of days,” Rupert continued seriously.

“I’ll go and talk to that nasty Riley Finn,” Buffy heard Dawn offer, “tell him my sister is ill and cannot make supper tonight. Isn’t that right Connor?” Buffy heard her little sister ask the youngest Gile’s boy.

“Yes, Dawnie,” Connor answered softly, “I think that your big sister should stay here, rest and all.”

Dawn hurried over to Buffy on the sofa, “Buffy,” she began timidly, “do you want me to explain to Riley, about supper I mean?”

Buffy nodded weakly, “yes, Dawn. Tell him we will have to postpone that talk of ours until later.”

Buffy looked up to see Spike staring down at her, lovingly, “tell Riley,” Buffy went on wearily, “that I am sorry, but something has definitely come up.”


A/N: Long, long, long chapter! Okay, does anyone else reading this get the feeling that Buffy rather ‘developed the vapors’ quite suddenly? Could it have been a ruse? Was it a sign of some future condition? Is Buffy the real actress in the Summer’s Family? For answers to these questions and the ‘anvils’ I dropped in this last chapter, please tune in to future chapters! Thanks for reading and please review! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 13: 'Epics and Such' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 13: ‘Epics and Such’




Buffy lay in the Gile’s guest bedroom, a book of Shakespeare in her hands, nervously perusing the pages of the old volume. Spike had given her the book to read, so
she wouldn’t be too very bored in the little room by herself. Doctor Wilkens insisted that Buffy go right back to bed that very morning, convinced that the school teacher was completely worn out from the last week or so.

“It just caught up with her,” she heard him explaining to Jennifer, Rupert and Spike outside the bedroom door. “Buffy delivered the Harris baby like a professional midwife, but still, it takes a lot out of a young woman like her. She’s as tough as nails, but she does too much, really, time for her to rest, just take it easy a bit. Wednesday, school’s back in, she’ll need to be up for that wild bunch of students she’s in charge of. I am so very glad that Dawn Summers is here to help her sister. I might be mistaken, but I think your young Connor is quite glad to have Dawn here himself.”

Buffy rolled her green eyes when she overheard that little remark, “yeah,” she sighed softly, “Connor ‘is’ certainly delighted to have Dawnie here too.”

Suddenly, Buffy bolted up a little in the bed, ‘just where are Connor and Dawn, right now,’ she wondered anxiously.

‘If they are together, they better have at least Angel, if not half the ranch help around them. Those two scare the heck out of me.’

The nervousness that Buffy had began to have regarding Connor and Dawn’s relationship a while back had taken a path right into all out fear. Dawn was extremely headstrong, thus her being here in Wyoming in the first place and Connor was really quite taken with her. Not to mention that Dawn was smitten with Connor, completely.

‘Maybe they are meant to be,’ Buffy reasoned, ‘Connor and Dawn. Maybe this was all supposed to happen this way, that those two should meet up, here and now.’

Buffy sighed again and settled back down into the comfy bed, still not sure if the Connor/Dawn thingy should be encouraged or discouraged. She was ‘sure’ of this, however, she was bored as heck, couped up in this bed, even if it was more comfortable then her own at home.

“Where’s Buffy?” Buffy heard her younger sister inquire right outside the door.

“She’s inside, Bit,” Spike answered; he had taken to calling Dawn ‘Bit’ short for Little Bit. He explained to Buffy just last week that Dawn reminded him of Buffy in some ways and that’s how he’d gotten the nickname for her. Buffy liked it and so did Dawnie, Connor thought it was hilarious. Her reverie was broken when Dawnie bounded into the room, a nervous bundle of energy.

Dawn closed the door behind her, actually she nearly slammed it shut and flounced over to the bed beside Buffy.

“Ooooooh,” Dawn giggled wildly, “guess who is madder then a wet hen, back in Cheyenne!”

Buffy felt her tummy sink a little, “I can just guess,” she mumbled with a shake of her golden head. “What did Riley say, Dawnie?” Buffy sighed, not sure if she wanted or cared to hear the answer, but Dawnie eagerly gave it anyway.

“He actually cursed, Buff,” Dawnie laughed heartily, “said damn twice and then…”

Buffy frowned, “he shouldn’t have sworn in front of you Dawnie,” she snarled, “that just makes me so mad. It’s not your fault that I fainted. Was Angel and Connor with you?”

Dawnie giggled enthusiastically, “oh, sure, but that just made old Riley angrier! He actually growled at Angel when he said something about Riley swearing in front of lady like me. How it wasn’t proper and all. Riley turned bright red, it was hilarious! Then,” Dawn stopped laughing and frowned herself, “Riley made mention of how you, Buff, how you shouldn’t be out here in the first place. Wasting your time on that Harris trash and their spawn. Oh, Buffy, it infuriated Angel and Connor was going to say something nasty to Riley, but his brother stopped him.”

Buffy felt sick to her stomache, literally, when she heard Dawn’s story about the little drama at the Sheriff’s office.

“What did Angel do, Dawnie?” Buffy mumbled, afraid of the answer.

“Angel almost hit Riley!” Dawn crowed excitedly, “but Connor stopped him this time,” she added with a pout. “I wish Angel would have hit the big oaf, don’t you Buff?”

Buffy grumbled something about ‘yeah, wish he’d have given to Riley good,’ but she shook her head roughly, “no honey.”

Dawn kind of looked dissapointed, but shook it off and took Buffy’s hands in her larger ones, “wanna’ hear what Angel ‘said’ to stupid old Riley?”

Buffy nodded and sighed, “yes honey, I suppose I do.”

The younger Summer’s girl sat up and wriggled on the bed in anticipation, “Angel told Riley that you, Buff, that you are such an amazing woman, so kind and strong and good. He told Riley that you were way too good for fools like most of the men in the Territory. Then, and oh Buffy this was priceless, Angel told Deputy Finn that it was a good thing that you were such a catch, that Spike needed a wife like you!”

Dawn broke out in peals of laughter, apparently totally unaware that Buffy was not sharing in the jovial moment.

“Oh, Dawnie,” Buffy gasped, “I can’t believe that Angel said that to Riley. Riley’s so very insecure in a lot of ways, especially about me, I’ve been kind of rotten to Riley.”

Dawn quit laughing, realizing that Buffy was not even chuckling along with her, “oh Buffy,” she sighed loudly, “Riley Finn is not the man for you. You know that, deep down, but if he’s too dense to see that, then maybe it’s a good thing Angel set him straight.”

Buffy just shook her head again and sighed herself in frustration, “but it’s up to me, Dawnie,” she whined at the younger girl. “It’s my choice and my responsibility to decide such things for myself. Of course, I know that Riley can be quite intolerant and very pig headed sometimes, especially about me, the Giles family, Xander and Anya, not to mention poor Ford and Indians in general, but….”

Buffy paused in her gentle tirade to stop and think about what she was actually saying.

“In fact,” Buffy murmered more to herself then her sister, “Riley can be a real ponce sometimes, can’t he?”

Dawn grinned at her, a hopeful gleam in her blue eyes, “yeah, Riley can be a real jerk from time to time, that’s for sure.”

Buffy nodded, “yeah, he can, but, still, it’s my choice to have him as my friend and that’s that,” she finished firmly, squeezing Dawnie’s hand.

“Buffy, that’s the problem, isn’t it?” The blonde looked at her sister, a confused look in her green eyes, “problem?” she asked. “I mean,” Dawn began cautiously, “I mean you just said it yourself, big sis, you called Riley ‘your friend’ not even your beau, or gentleman caller. You don’t feel one ounce of passion in your whole body for Riley Finn, do you?”

It was now Tuesday morning and Spike rode Demon along side the Gile’s largest buckboard as his youngest brother, Connor, drove it. Buffy sat next to Connor in the front seat while ‘the Bit’ rode in the back seat, pouting from time to time that it wasn’t she that rode beside his brother.

Spike had been delighted to have Buffy out at his family’s ranch for the last few days, even if it had been on Doc Wilken’s orders. Buffy rested a lot, ate a lot and just seemed to enjoy the company of his Stepmother Jennifer and all of the Giles family. Of course his baby brother, Connor, was overjoyed to have his Dawnie so close by and this also helped Buffy to relax a little more.

On Sunday, instead of going into Cheyenne to attend Church services, Spike took Buffy, Connor and Dawn up to the cabin, his cabin for a picnic dinner. Jennifer had Wauneta, the Gile’s housekeeper, make up a wonderful picnic basket for the young people and sent them off with a warm wave, Spike on Demon, Connor, Dawn and Buffy in a wagon.

Once they had reached the cabin, it took nearly two hours, the couples eagerly headed into the building to have a look around. Buffy hadn’t said much and Spike was just a little embarrassed by the spartaness of his cabin. Dawn immediately piped up that ‘it needed a woman’s touch’ as she winked at Buffy then smirked at Connor.

“That it does, Spike,” Connor agreed with his muse, Dawnie, as he began to help her unpack the basket of food that Wauneta had packed.

“It’s lovely, Spike,” Buffy said shyly, trying so hard, he noticed, not to meet his eyes with hers.

“It’s true, you know,” he whispered into Buffy’s sweet little ear, “it needs ‘your’ touch, Princess, just like I do.”

Buffy had blushed brightly, but smiled at Spike warmly, “well,” she stammered, trying to gain some composure, “I do think you need nicer curtains, at least at the kitchen windows. Maybe a pillow or two, there,” she had pointed at the rough sofa in the middle of the front room. “I’m not sure if your cot can be saved, though,” she had giggled so brightly when she glanced into the one other room of the cabin and seen the coarse cot that Spike called his bed here.

Spike had leaned into Buffy, coming close again to her darling little left ear with his warm lips, “just give me a reason to move a cozy double bed in this place, luv,” he murmered, “and it’s done.”

But, Spike pondered wistfully, coming back to the present and the little groups’ trip back into Cheyenne, that had been Sunday. It was now Tuesday morning and time for Buffy to return to the township and her duties as school teacher there.

“Will you be stopping by tomorrow Connor?” Dawn asked quite brazenly of the youngest Giles member.

“Course,” he answered simply, looking up at his oldest brother for assurance.

“We’ll both come by the school house tomorrow, Bit,” Spike confirmed Connor’s promise, looking at Buffy however. “I don’t know why, but I have an ugly feeling in my bones, something’s not right around here lately and I don’t think you, Buffy,” Spike nodded at his love, “or the Bit should be prancin’ about outside the town’s limits alone.”

Buffy shot him a look of frustrated independence, but seemed to mellow it a bit when she saw the determination in his eyes, “you might be right, Spike,” she agreed quietly. “Much as I hate to say it, that last little scene with Holden Webster spooked me more then I care to admit. There’s something really quite sinister about that Webster man, almost a common hooligan, I would say.”

“Holden Webster is an animal, Buffy,” Spike stated simply, “he and his whole family, actually. In a way,” he hedged, “it’s not their fault, not totally anyway. When our Dad, Rupert Giles, came out here years ago, when he and Jennifer met, Holden’s adored Uncle Quentin Travers was the only male role model for that Webster bunch out there in the prairie.”

Connor had pulled over quickly, halting the horses that pulled the buckboard to a stop so everyone present could hear the tale Spike would tell. Buffy held her breath, she didn’t know why, exactly, but for some reason, this story intrigued and excited her. This would probably be the first time that her little sister, Dawn, would hear the tale and Connor seemed to want his own love to be able to listen, uninterrupted by anything.

Buffy watched as Spike dismounted Demon and tied him to the back of the buckboard, then motion to Connor to join Dawn in the back seat. He, Spike, hopped up to the vacated driver’s seat and hunkered down next to Buffy, leaning into the back of the seat and lighting a cigarette.

She, Buffy had to take a deep breath and calm the emotions that were beginning to spiral within her. Not only did the closeness of this ‘man’ of men, Spike Giles, cause her blood to heat, but this story itself? It made Buffy feel like she had arrived in Wyoming, just recently, only to be a part of, no, make that complete the epic tale of the Gile’s family saga. As if the Summers family of Tennessee had always been meant for this; witness the grand plan of the Gile’s of Wyoming, maybe put it down on paper, maybe even play a part in it somehow. Even though a part of Buffy was becoming more and more aware that her own role in the saga might be very, very important.

“When our Dad, Conn’s and mine, came to Wyoming,” Spike began to weave his tale of the Gile’s here in the States, “when he arrived, he was already quite the formidable rancher. At least in England that is,” he added with a chuckle. “Of course, I was just a lad then, can’t even remember how old I was when Dad left the Motherland for here in the Colonies, leaving my big sis, Drusilla and I with his older sister, Auntie Mirabella. Me Mum had died, during child birth, with me,” Spike whispered sadly.

‘He feels guilty,’ Buffy realized once and for all, ‘he blames himself for his Mother’s death,’ she brushed aside her own tears and listened intently to this ‘real man’ beside her.

“Bloody hell,” Spike cursed with a chuckle, causing Buffy to flinch, just a bit and Dawn and Connor to chuckle behind them, “I don’t think Conn’s Mum was even eighteen-years-old when Dad came and turned her head with his Brittish charm and intelligence. Of course, Dad was quite taken with Jennifer, right Conn?” Spike turned and winked at his little brother warmly.

“Uh huh,” Connor chortled back at his adored big brother, “Mother and Dad were crazy for each other right off.”

“Problem was,” Buffy watched as Spike scrunched up his dark brows, “Quentin Travers seemed to believe that young Jennifer Calendar was his, didn’t belong to some Territory upstart that still bowed to an English Queen, like Rupert Giles did. In other words, Quentin Travers was furious, jealous and beyond angry at our Dad for even thinking about taking Jennifer Calendar for himself. He was even more livid, Travers that is, when Dad and Connor’s Mum eloped to Colorado a few weeks later and came back married.

Can you imagine how poor old Quentin Travers felt when Jennifer, just a couple of months later, showed her proud pregnancy with our brother Liam, or Angel as he’s called?”

Buffy heard Dawn sigh dreamily from the back seat, ‘girl is quite mesmerized by this whole romantic Gile’s drama,’ she stifled a giggle.

“Well,” Spike drawled, taking a long drag on his second cigarette slowly, “Dad and Jennifer settled down in a tiny house on our land. Dad went on to build the grand structure that we know today, Connor here came along after Angel and then I showed up after fourteen years in England to keep everyone on their toes

Spike grinned at Buffy, who, she had noticed, had not kept his eyes off of her since he’d begun the tale.

“Okay,” Dawn interjected, “so I get the whole Rupert and Jennifer Gile’s courtship thing, but what about Quentin Travers, the Websters and all this hatred between you guys?”

Buffy raised her right, golden eyebrow up at Spike as if to say, ‘you started this, Mister, finish it!’

“Well, Bit,” Spike began hesitantly, “you see, Quentin Travers was a proud man. He was just furious that Dad came and ‘stole his girl’ as he thought. When our Dad, Connor’s and mine came back with Jennifer, all married proper and such, Quentin took off for the far prairie, settled in with his sister and her brood of kids. Can’t say it was the best for the Webster family, Quentin’s sister married Hass Webster, who died some time ago. I guess Quentin Travers was really the only male that the Webster clan had to look up to. Too bad he was a drunk, whoremonger and…”

Buffy shot Spike a murderous look and gave him a ‘tsk’ for good measure.

“Well bloody hell, Princess,” Spike chuckled warmly, “Quentin Travers was a whoremonger and a drunk, my whelp brother and your young sis should understand what motivates folks, right?”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest and snorted, “hmmmphh,” loud enough for everyone present to hear.

“Okay,” Spike chuckled softly, “Quentin Travers was a misunderstood, kind man that made his living off of…..”

Buffy clasped Spike’s arm, roughly, “that’s enough,” she hissed under her breath, “just get on with the story. No one, and I mean no one that I’ve spoken with in this Territory has ever said that Quentin Travers was either misunderstood or kind for that matter.”

Spike grinned at his little tasty morsel, Buffy, and finished his tale as quick as he could. “Well, after I’d been here for a while,” he continued, “I was put upon by Mr. Quentin Travers, then I told him ‘what for’ sent him off, his tail tucked between his legs and well, the rest is Wyoming history.”

Spike looked out the corner of his eye at Connor and Dawn, smugly, ‘they look at me like I’m a fucking Greek hero,’ he thought with pride. Daring a glance at Buffy, who set with her slim arms crossed over her ample, lovely breasts, Spike grinned again at his darling with the innocence of Saints.

“So, Princess,” he purred, reaching over to settle his large hand on Buffy’s cloth covered knee, “what do you think? Am I good enough to darken your virtuous doorstep? Do you think you could ever learn to ‘love’ a demonic scoundrel like myself?”

He batted his own dark lashes at Buffy, dramatically, his patent smirk on his lips.

“Hmmm,” Buffy purred back at him, “we’ll have to see about that, Mister Gile’s. As far as good enough?” she smiled coyly at Spike, “that’s something that we will definitely have to discuss at a later date.”

Spike grinned again, definitely catching Buffy’s double meaning about the ‘good enough’ statement.

‘Oh, I’ll show you good enough, you beautiful little Buffy brat,’ he thought, resisting the urge to lick his lips in anticipation. After he finished his story not leaving out a bit of it, even the killing of Quentin Travers, Spike drove Buffy, Dawn and Connor back to Cheyenne, slowly, Demon tied to the back of the wagon. When they entered town, Spike was more then happy to see various good citizens out and about on the main street, going about their business. Spike was even more delighted when everyone on the street seemed to wave and acknowledge the little band in the wagon in the most kind way. He had to chuckle, although Buffy waved back at their greeters, Spike was well aware that Miss Summers was a little embarrassed by the attention.

“Our fans are happy to see us together, huh Princess?” Spike said out the side of his mouth with a pleased grin.

“Seems so,” Buffy whispered back, cringing every time Dawn or Connor shouted amicably back at the good citizens of Cheyenne.

Once they arrived at the Summer’s house, Cordelia Chase came hurrying out of her own to greet them.

“Buffy are you alright,” she asked, the concern apparent on her lovely face. “Ethan says you fainted dead away, Doctor Wilkens is his good friend. You do too much, Buffy honey,” Cordy scolded before anyone could even answere the Mayor’s wife. “But,” Cordelia smiled warmly with pride, “Doctor Wilkens says you delivered that Harris baby like you’d done it all your life. We are all so proud of you honey,” Cordelia finished with a smug grin, as she had been the one to deliver the child.

“Thanks, Cordy,” Buffy stammered as she hugged the older woman, a little surprised by Cordelia’s change of heart about Xander and Anya’s life together.

“You get inside now, honey,” Cordy advised, suddenly sounding like Buffy’s own Mother, “Ethan and I are expecting you girls over for supper tonight and no buts, you are coming to eat.” Buffy did not even have time to answer before Cordelia hurried back into her house, in search of her three boisterous children no doubt.

Spike and Connor laughed at the look of shock on Buffy’s face, “guess Mrs. Rayne feels the need to act as your Mother, Miss Summers,” Connor chuckled.

“Hmmm,” Buffy hummed with a shake of her head. “Dawnie, let’s get inside and prepare for tomorrow, shall we?”

“I’ll see to Cloud Miss Summers,” Connor offerred as he nodded goodbye to Dawn, a wistful look in his brown eyes.

“Thank you Connor,” Buffy smiled at him, noting that Dawn looked like she was saying goodbye to her best friend, forever.

‘Well,’ Buffy mused, ‘I guess Connor really is Dawn’s best friend, in a way, isn’t he?’

Dawn scurried into the house, leaving Buffy and Spike alone on the front porch, “I’d ask you in,” Buffy began only to be cut off by Spike.

“It’s fine, Princess,” he smiled tenderly, tucking her hair behind her ear, “I know you have your proprieties to observe. Of course, if you’d come to your senses, marry me right now, we could do exactly what we bloody well pleased, couldn’t we?”

Buffy blushed, ‘I’ve got to stop doing that,’ she chided herself, “well, yes, I suppose so,” she smiled up at Spike coyly.

Spike and Connor had said their goodbyes and left to return home to the ranch an hour before. Buffy made some coffee, put together a little lunch for Dawn and herself and set about readying the lessons for the next school day.

“Buffy,” Dawn came out of their shared bedroom, her head hung sheepishly, “can I ask you something?”

Buffy smiled warmly at Dawn, “of course, honey,” she reached out her hand to Dawn, pulling her sister to the desk she sat at. “Do you think I’m pretty?” Dawn asked softly, laying her dark head on Buffy’s shoulder.

“I,” Buffy chuckled warmly, kissing Dawn’s head affectionately, “I think you are beautiful Dawnie. Inside and out. The way you helped me with Anya and the baby, you were so brave sweetie. I’m so proud of you, so proud.”

Dawn smiled up at her older sister in admiration, “thanks, Buffy,” she began shyly “I just wanted to hear…”

A loud knock at their front door interrupted Buffy and Dawn, “who could that be?” Buffy asked out loud. She stood and hurried to the front door, finding a very serious looking Riley Finn there when she opened it. “Buffy,” he said gruffly, “you and me need to talk.”


A/N: Well, wasn’t that ‘special’! Okay, really, does anyone reading this little fiction really think that Riley Finn will ever pose any real threat to our Spuffy? I think not, right? Someone E-d me after the last chapter and asked me about the ‘names’ I’m using for certain characters in this story. ‘Wauneta’ is the name that this one person was most interested in. I’ll enlighten everyone here as to the source of this unusual name: It’s my Mother’s name, actually. My Mum is named after Wauneta, Nebraska, a small town in that Middle Western State of America. It’s a varient of the Spanish name Juanita or ‘feminine of John’ which was my maternal Grandfather’s name. Supposedly it’s the Native American version of the Juanita moniker. Later, much later in this tale, another Spanish/Native American name will appear, one that might please every Spuffy lover. Thanks for reading my labour of love, it means so much to me. Please review if you like, all constructive criticism is welcome. Sorry this chapter and A/N is so long! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 13: Part II 'Dinner Arrangements' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 13: Part II ‘Dinner Arrangements’


“We need to talk, now,” Riley just repeated to a stunned Buffy. Although, why she was stunned was a mystery, after all she had basically stood Riley up on Saturday, choosing to lounge around the Gile’s Ranch.

‘Okay, so I was under Doctor’s orders, yeah that was it,’ she inwardly practiced her alibi.

“Riley,” Buffy plastered on her ‘goody goody’ smile and chirped brightly, “how are you?”

She noticed that Riley was not smiling back, no, he was frowning, actually, a really big, un-Riley like frown. His forehead was scrunched up also, she could not help but notice that too.

‘Is that anger in his brown eyes?’ Buffy asked herself as she met his chilly glare.

“Listen, Buffy,” Riley began, his teeth gritted, his tone very unfriendly, “I want to talk to you, now, and we are going to talk, now.”

Buffy was beginning to get just a ‘tad’ perturbed at Mr. Riley Finn. First off, no one, man, woman or child told her, Buffy Summers what she was going to do and when.

‘Bet Spike could get away with it,’ her inner voice taunted, ‘you’d talk to him if he ordered you to, wouldn’t you Miss Smarty Pants.’

“Riley,” Buffy sighed and leaned against her door jamb, “I think it would be best if you and I talked later, someplace else. I have a feeling I know what this is about and frankly, Dawn is in the next room, less then twenty feet away. This is not,” Buffy held up her hand to stop Riley from interrupting her, “this is not something we should discuss here and now. However, it is something I know we need to talk about.”

Riley nodded absently, apparently shut down completely by Buffy’s rambling and he certainly didn’t look as intimidating as he had, just moments before.

“Okay, Buffy,” he mumbled, rather sheepishly, “I’ll wait to talk about things, but I want to do it soon. Go with me to dinner, Friday night, just you and me, we can talk then.”

Buffy wasn’t so very sure about that idea, “Riley, talking in a public diner is all right, but only if we ‘talk’ quietly, privately. Do we understand each other?”

Riley nodded again, then finally broke into a huge grin, “we can talk quietly, Buffy, I promise. There’s so much I want to say to you and I think that we can clear ‘this misunderstanding’ all up on Friday. Just wish we could do it sooner, it’ll be fine to just not have that Gile’s bunch hanging around us, or you,” he added, the grin fading a bit.

“Okay, Riley, I’ll see that Dawn goes to the Rayne’s, if they can manage, then we’ll talk…on Friday. Good day Riley,” Buffy shot him a ‘say bye bye Riley’ smile.

“Good night Buffy,” Riley murmered, leaning down to kiss Buffy. Before he could target Buffy’s lips, she turned her cheek and offerred it, politely.”

Once Riley had left and Buffy closed the door behind him, she leaned against it and shook her head slowly, “what next,” she sighed in exasperation.

“I would not be the least surprised if Holden Webster appeared at my back door, flowers and candy for me, that obnoxious sneer on his face. Geez!”

Dawn padded out of the bedroom, a very accusing pout on her pretty mouth, “talking to yourself now Buff?” she asked quietly

“No, Riley just left and I was thinking out loud. Sorry about that Dawnie, hope he wasn’t to very loud.”

The younger girl shook her dark head, but continued to stare at her sister, with that classic Dawn look of betrayed innocence.

“How can you go to dinner with that moron, Buffy,” Dawn asked sharpely, “after what he said about our friends and all. How can you…”

Buffy stood up and strode up to Dawn quickly, as she reached her, she said, “my dinner arrangements are my business Dawn. But, since you asked I will tell you how. I owe an explaination to Riley, not because he’s such a beloved member of society, at least to you and some other people around here, not even because he’s the Deputy Sheriff of Cheyenne. I owe Riley an explaination because he has been very decent and respectful ‘to me’ and I have not been very nice to him. Our Mother, if I need to remind you, would be ashamed of me for treating Riley the way I have as he has been a good friend to us. Now, I’m going to supper on Friday with Riley, a friendly meal to explain some things to him and I feel I should do it somewhere we both feel comfortable with. If you don’t like it, I’m sorry for that, but that’s the way it is. You will stay with the Rayne’s while I’m out, is that agreeable with you?”

Dawn kept the pout but nodded reluctantly, “don’t know why I can’t stay alone here,” she whined, “the Rayne’s house is always in an uproar and there is a book I’ve been wanting to start.”

Buffy thought about that for a moment then sighed, “yes, Dawnie, you do have a point. You are sixteen now, time to let you grow up a bit. If you promise to fortress yourself in the house, don’t go outside at all while I’m gone, then alright. You can stay alone. I’ll probably be gone close to two hours, knowing how slow Riley talks, so that’s the deal. Now,” Buffy added, scrutinizing her little sister, “is that okay with you? Will you let me go, have a nice chat with Riley in peace?”

Dawnie lost the pout and grinned widely, “you are the best, Buffy,” she crowed, throwing her long arms about her short older sister.

Wednesday came and went, along with the students who were less then pleased to return after a nice Holiday off from their studies.

“Buffy,” Dawn cried from the schoolhouse window, “they’re here! Spike and Connor, they’ve come to see us home!” Buffy chuckled as she watched her sister almost skip to the door to see the men inside.

‘Dawnie,’ she spoke to herself, ‘you are such a little girl at heart, why do I worry so about you. Perhaps I’ve been wrong, to fret so about you and Connor, you are so like playmates, not young lovers together.’

“Hello, Dawnie, Miss Summers,” Buffy heard Connor greet them, as Spike followed up behind his brother.

“Bit,” he nodded at Dawn then turned his blue eyes to Buffy, “hello Princess,” he smiled at her. Buffy felt her tummy do a flip flop and tumble around for a second before she could respond to the guys.

“Hello Spike, Connor,” she smiled warmly, “we’re all finished here. We’ll be right out.”

Once they had reached the Summer’s house, Buffy asked the Gile’s boys in for some lemonade. When she handed Spike his glass, he noticed his drink was anything but lemonade, it was whiskey.

“Thanks, luv,” he winked at her and smiled again, grateful for the harder drink. Connor and Dawn sat in the corner chairs of the living room, giggling between themselves as Buffy scurried about the room, trying to look busy.

‘That’s it, Princess,’ Spike chuckled silently, ‘keep looking for a corner to run to, hide from me. Go ahead, luv, I’ll just find you anyway.’

He grinned at Buffy lovingly when she finally stopped pacing about, daring a glance at him. ‘There it is,’ Spike continued his inner monologue, ‘there’s that lovely little blush I adore so.’

Buffy finally physically shrugged and joined Spike on the sofa, sitting an appropriate distance from him. She smiled at him, softly, sipped her lemonade and finally asked, “so, how’s your family?”

“Fine,” Spike leaned back on the sofa and smiled at Buffy affectionately. “But since you just saw them all yesterday, then I should think you know that, right?”

Buffy nodded shyly, trying to stop the hot flush that began. “Would you like to come to dinner tomorrow,” Buffy suddenly spouted out, “I mean, you, Connor and Angel? I’d ask your whole family but I can’t set such a grand table as your parents, so I can only ask you three. Would you like to come? I mean, you don’t have to if you don’t want to. Dawnie and me, we’ll understand if you can’t, work at the ranch and all. Quite understandable if you can’t make it or do not care to come and…”

Spike burst out into laughter, “calm down, Buffy,” he purred, taking her tiny hand in his and noted how warm it was. “I would be glad to come to supper tomorrow, sweetheart and I’m sure that Connor and Angel could be persuaded. Right Conn?”

Connor grinned and nodded his shaggy head happily, “sure, I’ll come for dinner Miss Summers. Did you hear that, we’re coming for dinner Dawnie,” he chortled to a smiling Dawn.

“Okay,” Buffy mumbled breathily, retrieving her hand from Spike’s, “that’s settled. We will eat at 7:00 PM promptly and please do not expect too much of a feast. I’m thinking a roast I have frozen, potatoes and some green beans I’ve stored. I will serve wine to we adults, it’s lemonade or root beer for Connor and you, Dawnie,” Buffy smiled at the pouting dark haired couple. I hope that is all right for you. I cannot promise a home baked pie, but I can produce some special ice cream. Would you like that Connor?”

Buffy smiled warmly at the youngest Gile’s, “yes Miss Summers,” he responded heartily, “I love ice cream.”

Spike stood up and motioned to Connor, “we better get home, Conn,” he stated, “there’s chores to be done. Thank Miss Summers and Dawn for their hospitality and let’s be on our way. Thank you Buffy,” he took Buffy’s hand in his and kissed the palm of it lightly, causing the most pleasant tingly sensation to shoot right up her arm, straight to her heart.

“Yes, thank you Buffy,” she repeated in a daze, “I mean, no, thank you, I mean, thank you Spike and Connor for seeing us home. We will see you tommorow then, at say 6:30 PM. I’ll ask young Andrew Snyder to see us home, him and Tommy Jenkins are pretty reliable when they want to be.”

She smiled up at Spike who was gazing down at her, his blue eyes lit up like a warm summer sky. “Good night, Princess,” Spike whispered in her ear, “sleep well tonight.”

“That was a wonderful thing to do, Buffy,” Dawnie gushed as she helped her older sister clean up the glasses.

“It’s the least I can do, Dawnie,” Buffy offerred, washing the little glasses in the kitchen sink while Dawn dried them. The Giles have been so very kind to us and I think it would be nice to have the boys over for supper, give Rupert and Jennifer Giles a night alone, to themselves.”

Buffy winked at Dawn, who giggled happily.

“Besides,” Buffy reasoned as she went to the pantry and took out some bread to start their own supper for the night, “you’ll be going back home to Tennessee after the Christmas Holiday, I thought it would be nice to entertain our gentlemen callers here before then.”

Buffy was suddenly aware that Dawn had stopped her joyful giggling and become very quiet. Turning to catch Dawn’s eye, Buffy caught the look of immense sorrow in her sister’s blue eyes and felt the hard tug at her heart.

“Oh, Dawnie,” Buffy sighed sympathetically, “you knew Papa would only allow you stay here for so long. I’m just glad you can stay until the New Year at least.”

Dawn never said a word back to Buffy, instead she threw herself into her small sister’s arms and began to sob uncontrollably.




A/N: Short chapter. After this chapter, the lighter side of this fic will be put on hold for a while. I will however, try and sprinkle some humour into the plot lines, our characters are going to need it! Thanks, please read and review, we love feedback! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 14: 'Flight and Fight' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 14: ‘Flight and Fight’


A/N: Please read. This chapter is the one that begins the chain of events that will catapult our Buffy into some danger. Thanks, Luv, Spuf


Well, the Thursday night supper at the Summer’s home, with the Gile’s boys had turned out quite nicely. Spike and Angel brought Buffy some wine, flowers being dormant in Jennifer Gile’s gardens at that time of year. Connor had been so sweet, arriving at the Summer’s house with a box of sweets for Dawn under his arm. He had hemmed and hawed around for a good ten minutes before he handed the foil wrapped box to the youngest Summers.

Buffy’s supper had been good, if not sumptuous and she was pleased to see all three of the men eat heartily. The only damper on the whole evening had been Dawnie’s dour mood, a hangover from the crying fest of the night before. It saddened Buffy to know that her little sister was heartbroken about inevitably returning home to Tennessee.

In fact, Buffy was rather heartbroken about the situation herself, she had become quite used to her Dawnie’s sweet face and company about their Wyoming home. All during supper, Buffy and Spike exchanged sympathetic glances to each other and at the two young friends.

“What do you think, Buffy,” Riley Finn was asking, shoveling some kind of potatoes in his mouth. Buffy snapped back to attention and the matters at hand. It was now Friday night, halfway through her dinner engagement with Riley and Buffy had found it hard not to let her mind wander to the night before. They had been at the Cheyenne Diner for over an hour, after a short walk about town first.

Riley had not broached the ‘subject’ that he had insisted on meeting with Buffy to discuss and she just assumed they would wait until after dessert and coffee to ‘talk’ with each other.

“About what?” Buffy asked innocently, totally oblivious to what Riley had asked her about. Poor Riley sighed and finally put his fork down on the table, “about Christmas Buffy,” he mumbled with a full mouth.

“What do you think about spending Christmas in Tennessee with your folks. I would be happy to accompany you and Dawn back by train, make a nice Holiday for me, that’s for sure. Dawn could be escorted home, a little early perhaps but I’m sure everyone would be happier about that.”

It suddenly occurred to Buffy that Riley was a little too anxious to get Dawn back to Tennessee as quick as possible.

‘Why is he so anti-Dawn all of a sudden,’ she wondered to herself.

“Riley,” she began carefully, “Dawn is set on spending a ‘White Christmas’ here with us in Wyoming, besides…”

Before Buffy could finish her sentence, Spike Gile’s came storming up to the diner table, the hounds of hell seemed to be following him.

“Where’s your wrap, Buffy,” Spike growled at Buffy, not even acknowledging Riley Finn.

“Spike,” Buffy gasped, startled by his sudden appearance, “what are you doing here? Now? And how did you…”

Spike looked as if he was about to implode as he shook his head violently, “drop the twenty questions, Buffy and come with me. Connor and Dawn are in trouble; I’ll explain in the wagon.

Buffy bolted out of her chair at the words‘Connor/Dawn/trouble’ and began to follow Spike out of the diner.

“Uh, Buffy,” the now forgotten Riley choked behind them, “what about our talk?”

Spike stopped at the door and ignoring the shocked stares of the other diners spun and snarled, “talk’s over Finn. Buffy’s coming with me, the Bit and my brilliant little brother are in a world of trouble.”

Buffy turned and shot Riley her most apologetic frown and hurried out the diner door that Spike held open for her.

Once they were outside, Buffy practically ran to keep up with Spike’s stride.

“What is it Spike,” she pleaded frantically, “what’s wrong with Dawn and Connor?”

Spike muttered something under his breath, never even favoring her with a quick glance. When they reached her house, Buffy saw her wagon out front, Demon and Cloud hitched to the front of it.

“Get your luscious little arse up in that bloody wagon, Buffy,” Spike ordered curtly, practically yanking her up off the ground and tossing her into the front seat. He climbed in the drivers seat and ordered the horses to get going, still not giving her the satisfaction of an explaination or a look.

Buffy thought better then to start asking a lot more questions, at least for a while, so she settled into the hard wooden seat, anxiously watching the scenery pass by on their way out of town. Finally, after they had left the town limits and passed the school house, Buffy dared to repeat some of the questions from before.

“Where is Dawn and Connor Spike,” she whispered, frightened to hear the answer.

“Probably half way to Burns,” Spike hissed, keeping his eyes in front of him.

“Burns?” Buffy gasped, “why would Dawn and Connor go to Burns?”

Spike didn’t know who he was more furious with; Buffy for being with that fucking moron, Riley Finn or Connor and Dawn for pulling this little stunt tonight.

“Please Spike,” he heard Buffy pleading with him, tell me what’s going on, “I’m frightened. Why do you think Connor and Dawn are on their way to Burns?”

Spike sighed heavily and glanced about him to find a good place to stop for a minute or two while he got his lovely, but rather naïve little Buffy up to speed. Pulling over, he pulled on the wagon brake and turned to face Buffy, trying not to give her the ‘look of death’ he was tempted to favor her with right now.

“Dawn and Connor are on their way to Burns, Wyoming, which by the way is about thirty miles from here, to, I presume, get married. I guess they thought that they couldn’t pull it off here in Cheyenne, our honorable Reverend Montgomery being the prissy prat he is. Though, I couldn’t fault him on this one…”

“Married!” Buffy screamed, looking like she was about to faint dead away right there.

‘Good!’ Spike snorted, ‘serves you right you little bitch. Prancin’ about with Riley Finn when you should have been keepin’ an eye on the Bit.’

“They can’t get married, for God’s sake!” Buffy hissed, wild eyed, “they’re too young!”

Spike had to laugh, even if it was a short, sarcastic one.

“Sorry to break it to you Princess,” he stated evenly, but just a tad smugly all the same, “but in this Territory, you can marry at fourteen. If Ford hadn’t broke down and told Dad, Angel and me, those two brat siblings of ours would have been out of range of us and in Burns before we could catch up to them. As it is, Dad, Angel and Gunn are riding like madmen to catch them now. Conn took one of the slower buckboards, must have snuck it just outside of town. Ford says that Dawn and Connor cooked this up over the last two days. Connor didn’t have the heart to not confide in Ford, who, by the way is sick with himself for breaking his promise not to tell. But, for some unknown reason, Ford has the upmost respect and loyalty to you, couldn’t bring himself to not tell us and stop them.”

Buffy sat, frozen in shock in the little wagon, tears streaming down her face, icy from the cold evening air. It was now December after all and even if they predicted a mild winter, this was still the frozen Northern United States.

“Oh, God, Spike,” Buffy began to sob uncontrollably, “what have I done. I should never have left my Dawnie alone tonight. She was so sick at heart about talk of her having to go home in January. I should have known how sad and desperate she was. What was I thinking? And, hey, how did you know where to find me?”

Spike sat silently for a moment, eyeing her like a hunter looking for his kill; it terrified her.

“Connor told Ford that Dawn arranged to be alone tonight, on purpose. There would be no problem, since you had a ‘date’ and all with fucking Captain Cardboard.”

‘Captain Cardboard?’ Buffy raised her right brow at Spike, even as she wiped the tears from her cheeks.

“It’s a nickname for stiff, boring Finn, okay,” Spike hissed through clenched teeth.

Buffy noticed that his blue eyes had become quite narrowed and dark with anger, and jealousy. She also noticed that he didn’t apologize right away for the curse word.

“We better go on,” Buffy whispered, barely audible to herself much less Spike. “Do you think your Dad and Angel can catch them before…”

Spike nodded, giving Buffy a glimmer of hope and relief, “those two bloody brats took a wagon. Dad, Angel and Gunn are on horses, there’s no better horseman then Charles Gunn. They’ll catch them for sure, but I wonder Buffy, when they do, what do you intend to do about it?”

Buffy gave Spike an unsure look, “I don’t know,” she whispered honestly. “What would you do?”

Spike thought about it a moment then sighed, “well, first I’m going to beat that idiot little brother of mine until he’s black and blue. Then if I were you, I’d lock Dawn in her room until she’s thirty-years-old.”

Buffy had to cover her mouth with her hand to hide an unwelcome smirk.

“Then,” Spike stared deep into her eyes, his blue orbs were golden with fire, “I’m going to spank your beautiful arse til you can’t sit down for a week,” he finished matter of factly.

“ME!” she cried, stunned that he would threaten her so, “what the heck did I do?”

Spike pulled a cigarette out of his jacket pocket and lit his smoke, taking a long welcome drag on it.

“Well,” Spike began calmly, turning his body to face her completely, “for starters, you neglected to see just how heart sick your little sis was over leaving you and this place…and Connor. Then you had to go and double your mistake by going out with bloody wanker, Riley Finn tonight. Something that I specifically ‘told’ you not to do ever again, didn’t I?”

Spike tried not to laugh, the actual situation was not funny, but the look on Buffy’s face was priceless. Right at that moment, Spike would give anyting to tintype Buffy, right like this: wild-eyed, her mouth in a perfect ‘0’ and her hair bun starting to come down from the hasty wagon ride.

“Who do you think you are Spike Giles?” Buffy gasped in shock. “Told me not to go out with Riley, which by the way was just to ‘talk’ as I felt like I owed him an explaination for……” Spike tossed the half out butt of his smoke on the ground next to the wagon, “you don’t owe Riley anything, my dear,” he hissed at her, his eyes narrowed again. “But you do owe yourself and me something.”

Buffy sat up straight, tossed back her head defiantly and asked simply, “and just what would that be?”

He pondered her question for a moment or two then breaking into just a hint of smirk he leaned into her and rasped, “you owe both of us not to go about behaving like a bitch in heat when you should be home, with your sister and thinking about me.”

This time, Buffy got a good slap in on Spike’s chiseled cheekbone before he could stop her.

“You son-of-a-bitch!” she cried harshly, feeling the unwelcome tears spill from the corners of her eyes.

Spike didn’t hesitate a second as he grabbed her by the shoulders and flung her backwards over his knees, pulling her face up to meet his.

“Maybe I’ve mishandled you from the get go, huh, Buffy?” he hissed softly, “maybe what you need is me being less fancy poetic talk and more masculine action.”

With that, Spike began to kiss her with more passion then ever, his greedy mouth was bruising, literally devouring her lips while he pulled at her jacket and yanked it off of her shoulders. When he’d freed her of her jacket, even though she was giving him a good struggle, he began to pull at her buttons on her dress front

“Spike,” Buffy gasped against his still hungry mouth, “stop,” she pleaded.

“Why Buffy?” he pulled back from the kissing and glared at her, “why should I? Does Riley Finn do this for you? Does he kiss you and make you squirm like this? Be honest Buffy, with yourself if not with me.”

Spike began to run his lips down Buffy’s jaw, chin and neck to her slightly exposed chest. “I’m waiting for your answer, Princess,” he moaned huskily as he placed small feathery kisses over the mounds of her breasts.

He looked up into her eyes, which were the brightest green he’d ever seen them and asked her again, harshly, “does Riley Finn do this to you? For you?”

Buffy was panting so hard that Spike was almost afraid that he’d pushed his love too far this time.

“No,” she finally whispered, “Riley is always kind, respectful and…”

Spike snarled like an animal and had to refrain from shaking Buffy angrily. “No, I expect that fucking bastard wouldn’t be doing this. If he did, he wouldn’t be shagging that whore, Faith, at Maggies, now would he?”

The minute the words were out of his mouth, he knew they had surely hit home with Buffy. She stopped struggling immediately and her eyes flew wide open, not the half closed delight they had been a moment earlier. Spike suddenly felt like a fucking idiot himself and he stammered to apologize, take back the hurtful words, make it all better for Buffy.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, gazing at her with pure regret. “I didn’t mean that, I was just…”

Buffy lay very still and just studied Spike’s remorseful expression for a moment, his eyes were sick with regret. They reminded her of Parker’s eyes when she’d caught him with Scott Hope; so sad, so horrified about something that he couldn’t help.

“Spike,” Buffy whispered, raising her left hand up to his face, touching the side of his clenched cheek. “It’s okay, you know that right?” she murmered, stroking the handsome face of the man who truly loved her.

“I, I’m sorry baby,” he whispered again, “I didn’t mean for that to come out that way. Didn’t mean to hurt you.”

Buffy thought she saw tears in Spike’s gorgeous blue eyes and she moved her hand up to swipe them away. With a little half smile, Buffy reached both her hands around Spike’s neck and head and pulled him gently to her chest. She stroked his soft fair hair and felt the heat of his warm breath on her chilled, exposed breast,
“it’s all right,” she purred softly.

“But I hurt your feelings, sweetheart,” he whispered against her bare flesh.

“No,” Buffy whispered back, nuzzling his soft hair with her lips, “only my false sense of pride is wounded just a little. Now if I heard from someone that it was you going to visit this Faith person, then I would be hurt, dredfully so. But, since you told me you’re not going anywhere for ‘that’ anymore, and I believe you. Well, then my feelings are just fine dear.”

Spike pulled back from her and saw the sweet, dear smile on her pretty face and read the honesty in her beautiful green eyes. He wiped the wetness from his face and sat up on the seat, pulling her along with him. Without a word, Spike began to methodically button up Buffy’s dress front, smiling softly as she fumbled to help him, her own tiny hands covering his. When they’d finished the buttoning, Spike pulled the jacket up and around her shoulders, buttoning that next.

He pulled her little chin up to meet his gaze and reached up to tuck a stray blonde tress behind her ear, “I love you,” he said simply, truthfully and kissed the tip of her nose tenderly.

“I know,” she whispered back and hugged him to her tightly, causing him to wrap his arms about her in a vice like grip.

“We should get going,” Spike mumbled, kissing her cheek softly.

“Yes, we should, hopefully your Dad, Angel and Gunn will have those kids back at the ranch by the time we get there.”

Buffy pulled away from Spike, reluctantly and he picked up the reins to start the last part of the drive to the ranch.

“Spike,” Buffy murmered, sitting as close to him as possible and slipping her arm in his.

“Yes, Princess?” he turned to look at her warmly.

“I need to tell you some things, lots of things. Things that have troubled me for some time and keeps me from going on in my life. I am not sure if this is the right time, or the best time to tell you this, but I’m going to chance it. It’s good, for me anyway, to have you driving us to your place, it’ll keep me talking and give me some courage. I need all the courage I can muster to tell you this and, by the time we get to the ranch I should have told you everything you need to know. At least for now. Is that okay?”

Spike grinned and nodded at her, then urged the two horses, who were quite smitten with each other, on to the Gile’s ranch.

A/N: Long chapter, sorry. Okay, I’m upping the rating on this fic to an R now. Soon it might be even higher. Thanks for reading my little labour of love and please, please review. Constructive criticism is always welcome! I am hungry for feedback! Thanks, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 14: Part II 'Thoughtless & Selfish' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 14: Part II ‘Thoughtless and Selfish?’


By the time they had arrived at the bottom of the path up to the Gile’s Ranch, Buffy had pretty much explained everything to Spike. All about her doomed marriage to Parker, his relationship with Scott Hope and how it had devestated Buffy, but only because she felt she had let her young husband down. Everything she had told to Tara Rosenberg a few weeks before, Buffy told Spike and then some.

Spike stopped the wagon, once again, before going on up to the house.

“Buffy,” Spike began quietly as he turned, took her in his arms and cuddled her up to his very reassuring body, “I love you very much so what I’m about to say is probably a little biased and such.”

Buffy found it difficult to meet his gaze, she was a little embarrassed still, but he fixed that by pulling her cool chin up to meet his blue eyes.

“The fact that your husband loved another man had nothing to do with you or your letting him down ‘that way’ my sweet,” Spike murmered, stroking Buffy’s cheek lightly.

“Your husband apparently loved you very much and I believe that,” Spike continued seriously, trying to assure Buffy.

“He could not help that he couldn’t love you in ‘the physical way’ a husband should love his wife. From what you told me, I gather that you didn’t feel ‘that way’ about him either, but for completely different reasons. I believe that Parker’s feelings for this Scott bloke were an Act of God, or of nature, take your pick. You see my sweet Buffy, it would take an Act of God or nature for a man not to love or want ‘you’ sexually.”

Spike hoped he was getting through to Buffy, that her young late husband was meant to love women as friends and a man as his mate.

“Only an Act of God, or natures way could keep your husband from wanting you, or loving you the way I do. It was young Parker’s nature to love Scott, nothing you could have done could change that. Do you understand what I’m saying Buffy?”

Buffy nodded with hesitation.

“You are saying that it was not something that I was doing wrong, my lack of ‘passion’ for Parker that doomed our marriage. It was Parker’s nature, or like you said, God’s act for him to care for Scott Hope that way. Right?”

Spike smiled at Buffy with so much love and affection that she could barely keep herself from attacking his lovely lips with her own.

“Yes, luv,” he said quietly, but assuredly, “just like Tara Rosenberg told you. Smart woman, Mrs. Rosenberg, Saul’s a lucky man, he is. However,” Spike grinned and snuggled Buffy closer to him, “I’m the really lucky one. I’ve got you, the love of my life in my arms, right this moment and Buffy, I’ve no intention of letting you go.”

Buffy felt like she might burst out into tears of relief or joy, or some other kind of really big emotion that she had not felt in a long, long time, or maybe ever.

“Thank you Spike,” she whispered as she placed a sweet, chaste like kiss on his warm lips.

‘How the heck is his lips so warm when it’s freezing out?’ she wondered. As if he read her mind, Spike chuckled and tweaked her under her chin, ‘your luscious lips are warming me, sweet,’ he explained simply.

Spike broke his gaze away from Buffy for a moment to peer up the path and check out the front of the ranch house.

“I’ll be damned,” he hissed, sitting up suddenly and pointing up to the house, “there’s Dad’s horse and Angel’s ‘Blue’ tied to the front gate. The small wagon Connor took with them is there too, Buffy,” he grinned, kissing her cool forehead, “they’ve got them home.”

He kicked the brake off and grabbed the reins that connected to Demon and Cloud, “hold on, baby,” Spike warned Buffy gently, “this is gonna’ get really bumpy!”

Buffy wondered if Spike was talking about the ride to the house, or the inevitable confrontation that they would certainly have with Connor and Dawn.

“I hope I handle this correctly,” Buffy whispered to Spike as he helped her out of the wagon and steered her into the Gile’s house.

“You’ll do fine,” Spike assured her with a gentle squeeze on her arm.

The first thing that Spike noticed when Buffy and he entered the house was just how dark and empty the front of it seemed. Apparently, his Father and Angel had sequestered the two love birds in another part of their home, probably the kitchen where there would be hot tea, coffee and presumably whiskey for the men.

‘Yup,’ Spike nodded, leading Buffy into the huge kitchen area, there was Dad and Angel, hovering over the two wayward young people, glasses in hand. Jennifer Giles sat in a chair, in between the two teenage lovers, her staple of a cup of tea in hand.

Connor sat, shame faced, head hung down like a whipped puppy, while Dawn was more defiant. She sat straight and upright on the kitchen chair, her head thrown back, much like her older sister’s patent stance, and her blue eyes blazing.

“Buffy!” Dawn cried, when she saw her older sister enter the kitchen, “I’m so glad you’re finally here!” she squealed as she bolted up to meet Buffy.

“That, my darling Dawnie,” Buffy hissed through clenched teeth, “remains to be seen. I mean how glad you will be.”

That put a stop action on Miss Dawn Summers in a heartbeat. Buffy watched as her sister’s expression of relief turned into a look of confusion and fear.

“I, I mean,” Dawn stammered, “I thought you’d be so happy to see us here, again and all…”

The youngest Summers dropped her stare and focused on the Gile’s kitchen floor, her face red with shame.

“I thought…” Dawn began.

“That’s just it, Dawnie,” Buffy muttered, “you did not think. At all. You or Connor.”

Buffy glanced over at Connor Giles who was longingly staring at his Mother, who was avoiding looking at her baby at all costs. Jennifer just sat, staring at the tea cup on the table before her, shaking her dark head.

“I just cannot believe this,” Mrs. Rupert Giles muttered softly.

“May Spike and I talk to these two, alone, please,” Buffy requested of the Gile’s parents, nodding at Connor and Dawn.

Rupert Gile’s seemed to hesitate, but Jennifer quickly stood up and and grabbed her husband’s hand in hers, “yes, Buffy, dear,” she conferred, “I think you and Spike should talk to the kids alone.”

Jennifer gave her husband a warning look and led him and Angel out of the kitchen. Angel seemed somewhat relieved to be free of the whole kitchen drama and shot Connor a smirk of some kind before the trio exited. Spike and Buffy, as a team, turned back to face the two runaway lovers, neither of the older couple appeared to smirk or smile in any way shape or form.

“Well, Dawn,” Buffy sighed, sitting in the chair Jennifer had vacated, “let’s hear this one. Give me a reason to not wire Papa first thing tomorrow, send you packing back to Tennessee at first chance.”

Dawn threw Buffy a precocious little pout, causing her older sister to shake her head, “not going to work this time, Dawnie,” she assured her.

“I won’t go back!” Dawn growled defiantly, “don’t have to. I can marry Connor and stay here if I want and no one can stop us!”

The dark haired girl stared at her love, Connor, who looked like anything but a virile young husband at the moment.

Spike took that precise moment to grumble, “if you laid a hand on that girl, Connor boy, I’ll beat you into one inch of your life. If I don’t, Dad or Angel will, so let’s have it. Exactly what the bloody hell happened between here and Burns. In fact,” Spike added menacingly, “Buffy and I want to know what’s happened up until now.”

Connor finally faced up to his older brother, a look of contrition on his young, handsome face.

“Nothin’ Spike,” the young man murmered, his eyes full of youthful honesty. “Dawn and I, we thought maybe if we got married, made everything legal and all, she could stay here with us. With me,” Connor added sadly, his brown eyes were full of regret, but also wistful and hopeful as he gazed at Dawn lovingly.

Dawn stared right back at Connor, a look of feminine strength in her blue eyes. She reached out her hand, right in front of Buffy and Connor took it in his.

“We wanted to ‘wait’ Spike, Miss Summers,” Connor sighed and smiled tenderly at Dawn, “me and Dawnie. We wanted it to be official before we…”

Buffy groaned and gently smacked her forehead with her tiny hand, “oh for Pete’s sake,” she muttered in frustration, “thank God, at least, you two were stopped before you could actually go through with this hair brained scheme!”

Buffy watched Dawn’s expression go from tender ‘love’ for Connor to a glare of resentment for her.

“Who are you to judge us?” Dawn hissed angrily at Buffy, “how do you know about our feelings for each other, Connor and me? How would you know what it’s like not to get everything you want. You have always gotten your way in everything, Buffy. Anything Buffy wanted, she got, no matter who it hurt or what the cost.”

If Buffy expected this outburst, she didn’t realize it before; Dawn’s harsh words cut her to the bone, “that’s not true, Dawn,” she countered. “I have never tried to hurt anyone of you, especially you. I don’t know where this is coming from, but if this is about the fact that you have to go home in January, then you must hold Papa accountable for that. If it were up to me, I would have you stay longer, at least I would have, until you pulled this immature, selfish and thoughtless stunt tonight.”



“I’m immature, thoughtless and selfish?” Dawn snorted, her face was contorted into a wicked, hateful expression. “What about you Buffy? How about when you talked Mammy Buffy into coming over to that Abrams death house, nearly coerced her into helping you nurse that worthless husband, Parker while he was sick. What did ‘that’ get everyone of our family, huh? Mammy Buffy caught the Diptheria and died, didn’t she? Who’s fault was that, Buffy? If not yours and your worthless dead husband, Parker? What, you don’t think that I don’t know what a weak, mealy mouthed spoiled brat he was, or you ‘are’ for that matter. You, Buffy Summers, are the selfish, thoughtless one in this family. Sashaying around Cheyenne, batting your stupid green eyes at Spike and Riley Finn, and God knows what other man around, getting everything you want, as usual. Too bad it wasn’t you that caught the death from Parker and joined him in the grave, of course,” Dawn smirked evilly, “I suppose your so called husband wouldn’t have wanted you then either, he …”

Buffy could not take anymore, she flung her arm back and brought her hand full force against Dawn’s smug, hateful face, finally shutting the younger girl up. Dawn’s shocked look cut Buffy like a knife.

“Do not ever talk of Mammy Buffy, Parker, myself or my marriage in the same sentence, Dawn Summers, you little ungrateful bitch! In fact, never discuss Parker or my marriage to him again. You haven’t the right to, as you know nothing about it.” Buffy hissed, shocked at the ugly words her sister had thrown at her.

Shocked and sick that they had driven Buffy to physical violence, something she abhorred, especially where her Dawnie was concerned.

“As for my selfishness…” but before she could finish the sentence, Buffy was interrupted by Spike who had remained quietly standing behind the chair Buffy occupied, at least until now.

“Let me handle this, Buffy,” Spike interjected harshly while he laid his left hand on Buffy’s shoulder, protectively.

“Connor,” Spike began evenly, “if you had any doubts about this bloody ridiculous elopement plan before, which I’m hoping you did, then I’m sure by now you must realize how really stupid it was. You’re a might childish from time to time boy, but you have a good head on your shoulders, usually, and I’m sure you now realize how unprepared either Dawn or you are to marry. For any reason.”

He, Spike, tightened his grip on Buffy’s slim shoulder, more to hold her in the chair then anything else.

“And you,” Spike directed his next sentence at Dawn, trying to remain calm, but furious that the little snit had said such awful things to Buffy. “Your big sis took you in, happily, convinced your Father to allow you to come out here and experience some kind of life and adventure. She hoped you would maybe grow up some, maybe mature some and become less of a spoiled little brat then you obviously are. But, all good intentions and all that as they say. You haven’t changed a bit, either of you. You’re both the spoiled, self centered little prats you’ve always been. That’s for certain.”

Spike watched in silent delight as Connor hung his head again, too ashamed to look him or Buffy in the eye. All of his little brother’s false bravado was gone, which was a good thing, really. Dawn had also been knocked down a peg or two, Spike could tell. The girl could no longer glare at either Buffy or him with that bitchy little look of defiance that she had earlier plastered on her face.

Finally, Dawn broke the deadly silence that had enveloped the four of them, “I’m sorry, Buffy,” she whimpered, “I didn’t mean to say those things, honest.”

Spike felt Buffy tense up again, under his hand but was relieved when his Princess stated firmly, “sorry isn’t going to cut it this time, Dawn. Not yet anyway. I’ll have to think about things for while, ponder what we need to do, immediately that is. I’m still thinking that I should wire Papa tomorrow, first thing and send you home with a suitable escort. I would take you myself, perhaps with Connor’s parents along, but now, well, I’m not sure. I don’t think I could stand a week’s trip on a stuffy train with you so close. Not after the ugly things you have said to me. Whether they are true or not is not the issue, you have cut me to the core and I am not ready to be alone that long with you.”

Spike noted that Dawn looked suitably ashamed of herself and he took a satisfaction in it.

Buffy was still stunned from the outburst of a few moments earlier. None of them had acted properly or done the right thing, she was sure of that. At least none of them but Spike himself. He had been the only one to handle the situation with any sense or grace at all.

‘He will definitely make a great Father,’ Buffy thought to herself, then wondered where that idea came from. She was so very tired and overwrought, that Buffy could not form another sentence, much less a brilliant epiphany, so she turned her head to look up at Spike helplessly.

“Conn,” Spike muttered, “get to bed, now. Buffy, take Dawn up to the guest room you two were in before. Get some rest tonight, we’ll take you home in the morning. And for God’s sake, don’t talk to each other the rest of the night. You’ll only argue and I’m saying this Bit,” he glared at Dawn seriously, “for your sister’s sake, not so much yours.”

Buffy reached her tiny hand up and patted Spike’s large one gently, “thank you,” she whispered sincerely with a tender smile. He grinned back down at her, “no worries,” he murmered, stroking Buffy’s shoulder and sending the most delicious shiver through her.


A/N: Okay, this was supposed to be a much longer chapter, full of lots of anvils, hints and yada yada for upcoming chapters! However, since my RL is coming out in full force and kicking me in the behind and my heater just went ‘kablooie’ in the coldest, most frigid ice age in Southern California history…well, what can I say. I’m going to go hop into bed with a glass of wine and covers and hubby and warmth! Anyway, please read and review. As Golum in Lord of the Rings says: “we loves the reviewesses!” Thank you for reading. Next chapter is the start of the Peril’s of Buffy! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 15: 'Angst, Amends and More Angst' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 15: ‘Angst; Amends and More Angst’


A/N: Oh, the heck with it! I’m going to submit this chapter tonight. Please read and review, I need it! Thanks, Luv, Spuf


“Buffy,” Dawn whispered from the little bed next to the older Summer’s borrowed bed in the Gile’s home. Buffy resisted the urge to answere or even acknowledge her younger sister.

“Buffy, please listen to me,” Dawn pleaded with a soft whimper in the dark. Turning on her side to face Dawn, Buffy said nothing, but at least gave her sister the pretense of her attention, even in the pitch black darkness that surrounded them.

“Buffy,” Dawn whispered again, the word itself was a echo of regret and sorrow, “I’m sorry, Buffy.”

The elder Miss Summers was in a quandry; she did not want to forgive her Dawnie just yet for the ugly, harsh words that had been exchanged earlier. However, loving her little sister the way she did, somehow understanding the girl’s desperation to stay in this magical place, gave Buffy the ‘need’ to forgive Dawn, immediately.

“Shush, Dawn,” Buffy responded evenly, “for once we are both going to take Spike’s advice and not speak of this, tonight anyway. Things do have a way of looking better in the morning and I’m sure it’s true of this situation. So, please, for me, Dawnie, quiet down now and try to sleep. We will speak of this tomorrow, at home when we are alone together.”

Dawn sighed, “okay Buffy. We’ll talk tomorrow.”

Over breakfast at the Gile’s table, Buffy could not help but glance first at Dawn, then at Connor who sat across the table and down from the Summer’s girls. Spike sat staring at Buffy, a sympathetic expression in his blue eyes and a slight smile on his handsome mouth.

‘You are a rock Spike Giles,’ Buffy thought warmly to herself, even though she kept a silence about her that matched all of the diners at the huge table. Rupert Gile’s did not smile during the whole meal, nor did his wife Jennifer, but Angel just prattled on about everything and nothing. Buffy surmised that the middle son was probably trying to keep things somewhat light after the fiasco that had developed the night before.

“I think we should take Xander into town with us today, Dad, Spike,” Angel suggested, shoveling some hot cakes into his mouth, “buy him a beer or two, to celebrate little Elizabeth’s birth. We never really celebrated, you know?”

Angel looked so hopeful, as if the mere mention of beer, celebration and town would make everything in the gloomy dining room seem brighter.

“Yes,” Rupert sighed, “perhaps it’s just the thing. What do you say, Spike? A drink at the Silver Spur, that is if it’s all right by you dear.”

Rupert glanced at Jennifer who smiled and nodded, “I think you should, all of you. When you drop Buffy and Dawn off at home, why not stop by the Spur and have a toast to Xander, Anya and our dear little Beth. Take Connor with you.”

Jennifer gave the order like a General and didn’t bother looking at her youngest son, apparently still severely dissapointed in her beloved Connor.

“Yes, Mother,” Angel agreed, “I think young Connor should have a beer with us, knowing how much he enjoys them.”

Buffy glanced at Connor, warily, realizing that the poor kid was no more interested in beer then she, Buffy was.

Spike watched the little drama unfold before him with a wary eye, Buffy was just barely holding on, he could tell that much.

‘Poor thing,’ Spike shook his head in sympathy for his love, ‘she just admits her misgivings about her first marriage to me, confronts her demons so to speak. After I had to go and throw Riley’s indiscretions with Faith at her. By the way,’ he pondered in awe, ‘Buffy didn’t seem too bloody broken up about Riley and that whore, did she?’ This realization made Spike very happy indeed and it lightened his dour mood that morning. ‘Anyway,’ Spike continued his musings, ‘then the two brats have to throw a runaway marriage in my girl’s face, and then Dawn the brat of all brats has to throw Mammy Buffy’s death at her. All in all, it was a real shitty evening had by everyone.’

Spike thought for another moment then relived the moment Buffy slapped Dawn a good one, right across her cheek, ‘good for you my Princess,’ he smirked, but kept his chuckled to himself, ‘little brat sister of yours deserved that one!’

“What time will we be going home,” Buffy finally piped up, looking at Spike solely.

“Thought we’d go about 1:30 or so, Buffy, if that’s all right,” Spike offerred with a warm smile. Buffy returned his smile and nodded, “that’s fine Spike,” she murmered and went back to her hot cakes that Wauneta had prepared.

“I’ll be going to fetch Xander around 1:00 PM,” Angel stated, gulping down his milk, “I know he’s more then ready for a day out in town. He adores Anya and Bethie, but he needs some time with a mug of beer and man talk.”

Angel grinned at his father and wiped his mouth with the fine linen napkin his mother had set.

“I’m going to go check that broken fence Dad,” Angel called as he headed for the back door, “I’ll be back about noon.”

Buffy stifled another grin, feeling that this was no time for jovility, but Angel’s enthusiasm was contagious as he was a good young man. She, Buffy wished there was an appropriate young lady around for Angel, someone to complete his life, but so far, alas, there was no one that fit the bill.

Around 1:30 that afternoon, the little caravan from the Gile’s ranch started their trek into Cheyenne. Rupert drove the little Summer’s wagon that carried he, the two young women and Connor back into the town. Spike rode Demon beside them, constantly looking at Buffy, something she was more then aware of and Angel rode Blue next to Xander and his horse.

When the group entered Cheyenne, thankfully, the streets were pretty empty which was not unusual for a Saturday afternoon. Most folks were about their chores at home or at shop and the children were right along side their parents. Once the Giles and Xander had seen Buffy and Dawn to their doorstep, they prepared to go on into the Silver Spur and have a drink or two before returning to the ranch.

“Thank you,” Buffy said shyly to Spike who had made sure to escort her and Dawn into the house. Dawn having hurried off to the girl’s shared bedroom and closed the door behind her.

“I don’t know what I would have done,” Buffy continued, “had you not been here to help me,” she finished sincerely, touching the side of Spike’s cheek tenderly.

“Oh, Buffy,” Spike murmered, taking her little hand in his and holding it to his cheek, “I’d do anything for you. I would go to hell and back for you, don’t you know that by now?”

Buffy blushed brightly, a sight that Spike cherished and always would. He took her little hand from his face and lifted it to his lips, “I love you,” he whispered tenderly, gazing into her emerald green eyes, “always.”

She then lifted his hand to her lips and returned the kiss lightly on his palm, “I know,” she murmered with a soft smile, “and I’m so thankful for you Spike.”

Smiling, just content, for the moment, that Buffy could offer him that, Spike reluctantly let go of her tiny hand and turned to join his family and Xander out in the street.

“I’ll be around tomorrow,” Spike called back to Buffy, “to check on you and the Bit.” He was happily aware that Buffy stood in the doorway of her little home, watching until the men on their horses rode off to the Silver Spur for a celebration drink.

Buffy closed her front door and leaned against it, trying to summon the courage to face Dawn alone. When she had mustered some strength, Buffy knocked lightly on the bedroom door to alert her little sister to the fact that it was now time to talk. Dawn shuffled out of the bedroom slowly, her head hung down in resignation in such a way that just tore at Buffy’s heart.

“Let’s sit down on the sofa, honey,” Buffy offerred gently as she took Dawn’s arm in her hand and led the girl to the couch.

They sat in uncomfortable silence for a moment or two before Dawn finally broke the tension, “do you hate me Buffy?” she asked timidly.

“No,” Buffy answered without hesitation, “but I am very upset with you Dawnie,” she finished with a frown. Dawn nodded, saying nothing more until her big sister added a word or two first.

“Dawn,” Buffy began cautiously, “I love you. You are my only sister, only sibling and my first real friend in life. What I’m about to say is not said in anger or smugness, rather, it is done in love and only because I want to help and protect you. So please,” Buffy continued quietly, “just listen to what I say, all right?”

Dawn nodded shyly, unable to look her sister in the eye. Buffy took Dawn’s hand in her own and stared soulfully into the younger girl’s blue eyes.

“I have to point out some things to you, Dawn,” Buffy scowled, not really meaning to, but unable to control herself. “If you had gotten to Burns, say made it there before anyone else, and the Preacher there could not have or would not have married you last night, well, what would you have done? Say Ford had not told anyone of your plan? You and Connor that is?”

Dawn shook her head, a few tears of betrayal slipped down her cheeks.

“Well, I guess you two could have turned back to Cheyenne, made it home early in the morning, whether you were married or not. Whether you and Connor had…” but Buffy could not even finish that thought.

“Anyway, whether you and Connor had married or not, had done other things that two young people like you are far from ready to explore, well, honey your reputation would have been ruined. Here, even back home in Tennessee, and Papa? He would have insisted on a shotgun marriage, whether there was a baby or not. And frankly, sweetie, I don’t think either you or Connor are ready for ‘that.’ Do you understand what I’m saying Dawn?”

If Dawn did understand, she sure was not forthcoming with her realizations. At least not right at the moment. Buffy sighed loudly, “okay, Dawn. We will try and discuss this further, later. I think maybe you should go home to Tennessee, as soon as possible. I just need to find a suitable escort for you and…” Before Buffy could finish, Dawn had literally leapt into her arms, already sobbing hysterically.

“Please, please, Buffy,” Dawn cried hopelessly, “please don’t send me away so soon. I’ll be good, I won’t run away again, I promise. I swear to you, I’ll be good as gold. At least let me stay for Christmas, then I’ll pack up and go back to Papa and Mama in January. I won’t make a fuss, promise. Just let me stay another month, please!”

Dawn was practically wailing by this time and Buffy felt that old sinking feeling in her tummy.

‘Now what?’ she asked herself, barely able to hold back her tears right then. “Dawn,” she ordered, somewhat calmly, “settle down, right now. Tell you what,” Buffy pulled back from the weeping girl and looked her in the eye, “I need to go to the school house, get some things I forgot yesterday. Let me go down there and think a bit, by myself and be alone to ponder on things.”

Dawn Summers gave her older sister a wary look through tear stained eyes, “I, I could go with you to the school house,” she stammered with a sniffle or two.

But, Buffy shook her head, “no, Dawn, I need to be alone, to think. I’ll leave you here, in the house, alone. But that’s only because I’m trying to show you that I will be willing to trust you, somewhat that is. Before I head down to the school, I’m going to stop by the Rayne’s and ask them to look in on you in a while. I will be back in less then thirty minutes, definitely and if you step outside this house, Dawn Summers, I’ll have Ethan Rayne come fetch me at the school house. Do you understand? As it is, thankfully, only the Gile’s family and us, Xander Harris and Mr. Gunn know anything about that mess last night. We’ll count our blessings and go on from here, but I’m warning you, Dawn, step one foot out of this house and I hear about it? I’ll pack your bags myself, tonight and send you home to Tennessee, first thing. Understand?”

Dawn nodded slowly while she wiped at her tear stained face. “And Dawnie,” Buffy said softly as she grabbed her coat and muff, “I’m so sorry that I struck you and called you that awful name.”

Buffy hurried into the school house, which was quite cold from being unused since yesterday. No fire had been lit in the little iron stove since Friday morning and being December, it was pretty chilly in the one room structure. She scurried about the room, checking certain students desks and the tablets they had left there. Actually, Buffy had used the excuse of school obligations to escape the house and her sister for a short while, finding it hard to face Dawn at this time. The sickness Buffy felt after slapping her sister had not dissapaited at all.

Even though everyone seemed to feel that Dawn had deserved some discipline and scolding, Buffy hated the fact that she had resorted to physical violence and ugly words to punish her young sister. In her haste to get out of the house and away from the haunting stare of her little sister, Buffy had forgotten her rifle back home. It would ultimately prove to be a very, very big mistake on her part.

Spike stood at the bar of the Silver Spur, his beer in hand, listening to Angel banter about with Xander and Connor. Although his body was here, in this crummy saloon, his mind and heart were elsewhere, namely with Buffy in her house a few blocks down from there.

“So, Xander,” Angel laughed heartily, “Anya wants another baby, so soon?” Xander blushed red, which clashed with his masculine looks and dark hair but he couldn’t seem to help himself.

“Yeah,” Xander stammered with a gentle smile, “she wants at least six more kids.”

Rupert Giles sipped his whiskey and grinned at his young ranch hand, “good show, Xander,” he crowed, “now if we could just get Spike and Buffy married off to each other, maybe Jennifer and I could have some grand children to call our own.”

The men laughed jovially together, affecting the other men in the saloon with their happiness and causing quite the commotion in the place. Spike was just about ready to remark about Buffy, marriage and their children together when a sudden hush fell over the saloon, causing the five men to stop their banter and turn to face the door.

Dawn Summers stood just inside the door of the Silver Spur, wide-eyed and with the expression of a fish out of water. If she had not looked so terrified, Spike would have chastised Buffy’s little sister right then and there for showing her face in a place like this. But, Dawn was as pale as a ghost and all the Gile’s men could see that the girl was shaking in fear from where they stood.

Connor didn’t hesitate, he dropped his beer mug on the bar and hurried over to Dawn, reaching for her with his arms.

“What’s wrong Dawn?” he asked, worriedly for everyone to hear.

“It’s Buffy,” Dawn whispered, still loud enough for Spike to hear as he tossed his own beer on the bar and joined Connor and Dawn by the door.

“What about Buffy,” Spike asked hoarsely when he got to the couple by the door.

“She’s been gone, to the school house, over an hour, almost two, she promised, said she’d be back in less then thirty minutes,” Dawn choked out in spurts, her voice rigid with fear. “I don’t think she would leave me alone, not for so long, not anymore since…”

Spike looked over at his Father who was already settling the tab with the bartender, while Angel and Xander hurried over to join Connor and him. Before anyone could say or do anything else, Spike was out the door of the bar and headed down the street to the little school house, his heart racing in his chest.


‘Something is wrong,’ Spike convinced himself as he ran to the school, not bothering to saddle and ride Demon there. He could sense his Father, Angel, Xander, Connor and a very frightened Dawn hurrying behind him, trying to catch up. Even before Spike burst into the school house and saw, not shocked really, that it was empty of Buffy, his beloved little Buffy, he knew there was danger there.

Or at least it had been there, earlier, just a while before Dawn had sounded the alarm that had brought his family, Xander and half of the Silver Spur customers down to the little school house. Frantically, Spike searched about the room, looking for any evidence of Buffy or where she might have gone off to, finally resting his stare on her neat, cleaned off ‘teacher’s desk’ and a folded piece of paper that sat squarely in the middle of it.

‘Spike Giles’ was jotted down, in crude print, on the outside of it. Right next to the paper lay a lock of honey blonde hair, ‘Buffy’s’ Spike realized, fearfully, about one and a half inches long.

Spike ripped open the letter wildly, ignoring the look of Rupert and Angel as he did. He could hear Dawn sobbing, already, nearby and his youngest brother, Connor, trying to comfort her.

Without reading aloud, Spike began to peruse the rough, oddly childlike print on the white, simple lined school paper it was written on. It began:

Spike Giles,

Be warned, friend, that I now have your ‘treasure’
In my possesion. If you want her back, which I’m
Sure you do, be prepared to pay very well for her.
I know, that you know where to find ‘us’ and I do
Mean ‘us’ you fucking coward. Believe me when I
Tell you that there are well over a dozen men with
Me in this and none of us are too fond of you or
Your entire fucking family.

So, here’s the deal,
Spikey; bring $100,000.00 to us (again, I’m sure
That you or your Indian friends can easily track
Us) to where you know we are and I mean in less
Then two days, son.

If you don’t, which I’m not
Even considering, really, then we’ll kill this bitch
Of yours, no question about that. However, we
Will be more then happy to sample the lovely
Lady’s more obvious charms first.

A last question for you Giles…Paybacks are
Fucking hell, aren’t they?



H. Webster


Spike tried to keep from throwing up, right there in front of his family and poor Dawn who was now sobbing so hard that Connor had to hold her to him tightly. Looking up at his Father, Rupert Giles, Spike felt like a hopeless, helpless school boy again.

Just like the time back in England when he had been taunted for the thousandth time that his Father had abandoned him and his sister for America. He had struck back the last time, made his mark on the blokes that had been tormenting him for years at school, even though he was only twelve at the time. That was how he had received the lovely little scar over his left eyebrow, the one he had explained to his baby, Buffy, only

‘Buffy!’ he gasped, feeling like he might pass out, but fighting to control the urge to. ‘Holden Webster has my girl,’ he fought the terror in his soul and the frightful tears that wanted to spill from his eyes.


“Dad,” Spike rasped hoarsely to his Father who seemed to be suddenly so much taller then he had ever remembered, “can we get our hands on a lot cash? Fast? And men? A lot of men and guns?”


A/N: Well…seems that Buffy has gotten into a hellmouth that is going to be ‘hell’ to get out of, huh? Hold on, kiddies, it’s going to be a real bumpy ride! Please read and review. We love reviews, good or bad. Thanks, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 15: Part II 'We're Going To Need Alot of Guns!' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 15: Part II ‘We’re Going to Need A Lot of Guns!’


A/N: A quick note to set things up here. In this chapter, the folks of Cheyenne will pull together to save Buffy. Oh, and sorry for the ‘long’ chapter titles, I always try and pick a theme from each chapter to entitle it. Thanks, Luv, S


“Dad,” Spike whispered fearfully, “we’re going to need a lot of cash, a lot of men and a lot of guns.”

Rupert Giles reached out and placed his hand on his oldest son’s shoulder, “we’ll do everything we can son, to bring your Buffy back. I swear.”

Angel strode over to his father and older brother, grabbing the ransom note from Spike’s hands. “I didn’t know that Holden Webster could put two words together, much less write full sentences,” Angel smirked, always trying to lighten the dour moment.

“He seems to be able to put numbers together,” Rupert Gile’s grumbled as he glanced at Spike’s sad expression. “Angel,” the Father began with authority, “we need to go to the Snyder’s, roust the man from his Saturday nap and get to the bank. There’s more then enough money in our account to meet Webster’s ransom demands and we’ll pony it up. Track him and his gang down and pay the price for Buffy. My future daughter-in-law is more then worth it,”

Rupert shot Spike a fatherly, affectionate look. Spike looked in awe at his strong, loving father, the one that he had felt alienated from for so long. After all, he, Spike had caused his own Mother’s death, even while she had aspired to give him life.

“Dad,” Spike whispered in a raspy voice, “I…”

Rupert shook his lionly head, “no son,” he clasped the younger man’s shoulder, “no need for words now. Your Buffy is in trouble and only we can help her. Believe me when I say, son,” Rupert patted Spike’s shoulder, “from the moment I laid eyes on Buffy I knew she was the one for you. Just like Jennifer was the one for me, after your mother died that is. When we Gile’s men fall in love, it’s hard, fast and forever, can’t help it, just the way it is.”

Spike met his father’s gaze and tried not to look like a total ponce, he needed to be strong, Buffy needed him.

“We need the cash, Dad,” Spike repeated, “but we need men, the best riders and trackers and guns. Lots of them. Because, Dad, when we get Buffy home, safe with us, I intend on ripping Holden Webster limb from limb for ever taking her or scaring her like this.”

Dawn shrieked loudly, her wailing grated on Spike’s and Rupert’s nerves.

“I’ll take Angel with me to the Snyder’s then to the bank,” Rupert Giles repeated. “Xander,” he looked over at the new Father who was pale with terror, “get back to the ranch, fast as possible. Pull together a group of men, the best you can find. Gunn is first choice, bring him and Doyle, young Ford too. Jesse and his brother Joseph should be included. Forrest Redfeather should be at his cabin, just past the Pine Bluff; afer we’re done at the bank, Angel, I want you to fetch Forrest. He’s the best tracker in the Territory.

Thomas Jenkins, young Tommy’s father piped up, “I’m coming, Rupert, I’ll bring my oldest boy, Graham.”

“Thank you Thomas,” Rupert stated evenly, “I’d appreciate it if you stopped by the Mayors and picked up Ethan. Have him get young Daniel Osbourne to join up, he’ll come for sure. Connor,” Rupert continued, taking complete control, “you take Dawn to her and Buffy’s house, pick up some things the ladies might need for a few days. She’s coming out to the ranch, Buffy will want her there when we get her back. I’m counting on you boy,” the Father scowled at his youngest child, “no nonsense now, it’s too serious. You two children come back here as soon as you’ve collected some clothes and bring Cloud too. We’ll all meet up back here to figure out where to go from now on. Spike,” Rupert stared at his oldest who was paler then usual, “I’m going to get Snyder to open the bank. Keep things stable here, get it together boy, you need to to keep your wits about you.”

Spike nodded, not saying a word to anyone, just remembering the horrific words that Webster had printed on the lined paper.

‘He’s got Buffy,’ is all Spike could think, ‘he’s got my precious Princess.’

Buffy was tied and trussed like a Thanksgiving Turkey, but that was not what was angering her. No, she was more angry that she had stumbled off down to the school house, unarmed, unprepared and totally helpless against Holden Webster and his stupid, mealy mouthed brother, Tucker.

They rode along in silence, so far, this trio of enemies and Buffy was sure they were nearing their destination.

“Tell me, school teacher,” Holden Webster chuckled as he groped at Buffy who sat in front of him on his horse, “do you think your fucking boyfriend, Spike Giles, thinks you’re worth a hundred thousand dollars?”

Buffy put on a brave smile, tossed her head back and hissed, “Spike Giles thinks I’m worth a hell of a lot more then that you pompous asshole!”

Holden tensed, Buffy could feel it against her backside, “listen bitch,” he growled at her as he tightened the hold he had on her waist, “I wouldn’t be so fuckin’ high and mighty if I was you. Your man, Spike, might be the end of all that in Cheyenne, but out here, on the prairie, he’s shit, understand?”

Buffy spat back, defiantly, “Spike Giles is not dirt; he’s better then ten men.”

They had truly reached their destination, a rough, wood hewn cabin on the farthest bluff from the city of Cheyenne.

“Oh,” Buffy snorted, “this is quite posh!”

Holden didn’t make any fancy moves or use any false proprieties, he literally pushed Buffy off of his horse into the front of the primitive cabin he’d built years before. Holden slid off of his horse, swaggered over to Buffy and pulled her tied up body close to his, “let’s keep this civil,” he hissed as he pushed her along into the wooden cabin.

When they got inside, Buffy noticed at least a dozen or more men lulling about in the front area of the cabin.

“So,” a dark haired kind of pretty girl sidled up to her and laughed heartily, “this is the little prissy school teacher, huh?”

If the young woman had not been so coarse, so dirty and rough, Buffy thought she might be rather attractive.

“Faith,” Tucker Webster hissed, pulling the odd girl away from Buffy, “keep away from her. Let’s go in the other room, baby,” this familiar Tucker rasped as he tried to pull the smelly girl with him into another room of the cabin.

“Skinny little bitch,” this Faith hissed towards Buffy, “no wonder your Riley had to come to me to be satisfied.”

Faith looked quite smug and pleased with herself after she had thrown that little insult at Buffy. Buffy on the other hand leveled her stare right back into the girls clouded brown eyes and stated evenly, “Do I look like a I give a damn about Riley and you, girl.”

This Faith reared back, stung by Buffy’s smart retort and the fact that Buffy had dared refer to her as some ‘girl’ in front of all these men.

Holden burst out laughing while his younger brother, Tucker just shook his head and whined to Faith, “Come on baby, I need some of your attention.” Tucker led Faith out of the front room into one of the little sleeping areas and closed the door behind them.

“I knew you were Gile’s woman,” Holden chuckled deeply, tweaking Buffy’s cool cheek with his meaty finger, “little hell cat like you doesn’t settle for someone weak like Deputy Finn.”

Buffy narrowed her green eyes and shot Webster a look to kill, “you won’t be laughing when Spike Giles blows your worthless head off, you son-of-a-bitch!”

Webster had no smart response for that one.


Spike found it hard to move from his spot in the school house, on the chair that his Buffy occupied during the lessons she taught daily there. His Father and Angel had been gone less then twenty minutes before Riley Finn burst into the school house and stumbled up to Spike and the other occupants of the little structure.

“Let’s see the note,” Riley ordered pompously, “I am the real law here. Time to give it over to me and let justice take over.”

Spike said nothing, just glared at his rival with hatred.

“You know,” Riley began smugly, “if Buffy had not aligned herself with trash like you Giles, made it obvious that she was friends and such with you. She would be here in town, safe and with me for that matter, happy and…”

Spike had heard quite enough, he leapt from the chair he was in, grabbed Riley by his collar and pushed him up against the school house wall.

“Shut your fucking gob, Finn,” Spike ordered harshly. “I swear, if you don’t shut your stupid face and keep it shut, I’ll beat you to a pulp, boy. Worse then that, I’ll tear your bloody head off and shove it up your arse. Do not ever, ever speak of Buffy and me as trash. When this is over,” and Spike glared angrily at Riley Finn, his blue eyes burning with fire, “I plan to marry Buffy. Start a tribe of Giles and a dynasty that is, of our own. Don’t much care if I swing for threatening the arm of the law and such, Buffy is the only thing I care about right now.”

Dawn finally had stopped sobbing in Connor’s arms and trotted over to the two angry men.

“This isn’t going to help get my sister back!” she cried trying to pull Spike away from Riley.

“Well, all right, Bit,” Spike hissed, releasing Finn reluctantly, “but I swear to God, Finn, you open your bloody mouth one more time and say anything about Buffy and me? I’ll put my gun in it and blow your head off, understand!”

Riley gave a whoosh of relief as Spike released him from his grip and turned to reread the note that Holden had left him.

“You know where we are,” Spike whispered, repeating the words that Holden had written, “you and your trackers will find us immediately.”

Spike racked his useless brain for all of about ten seconds before he realized what Holden was saying. “Buffy,” Spike whispered, looking over at the men that stood beside him, “she’s at the Pine bluff, the mid-sized one to the south of the range, on the farthest side over. Holden knew it, he knew I’d remember his family’s old cabin out there, “that’s what he wanted,”

Spike hissed as he strode out of the school house and into the cool crisp night air. Half way out of the school yard, Spike ran into Rupert, his father and Angel.

“Money’s not an issue, son,” Rupert assured Spike. “It’s all arranged, but…” Spike gave his father a look of macho bravado and masculine pride, “Buffy’s mine, I’m going to get her back!” Spike hissed as he strode off into the night, his father, brothers and a lot of the townsmen at his heels.

Buffy half leaned against the cabin wall, somehow managing to doze off and on again as she debated on whether she should even try and escape herself.

‘Well, let’s see,’ she mused silently, ‘I’m tied up tighter then a rodeo calf and there’s oh, about twelve men here, along with a slightly insane female. They all hate me or Spike or both of us. But I’m more then certain I can manage to untie myself and lull all of them into a false sense of control. Then I’ll just meander out of here, in the freezing cold and stumble on back down to Cheyeynne. Yeah, I can do that, right.’

Buffy shook her head and chuckled lightly, her inner fear was beginning to take her over and she had to control it. Push it back down deep inside of herself.

‘I’ll think about something good,’ she reasoned with herself, ‘not think about my predicament at hand. I know,’ she smiled softly, ‘I’ll think about Spike and me, that day at the river when we almost…..’

Her pleasant reverie was interrupted when a commotion at the front of the cabin caught her attention. Seconds later, a somewhat hard looking, but pretty woman of about thirty entered the cabin, leading a dark haired boy of about ten. Holden leapt up to meet the woman, touseling the boys hair as he did.

“We did it sis,” Webster crowed to the woman as he nodded at Buffy. “Meet Miss Buffy Anne Summers, the little school teacher snit, Gile’s honey. School teacher, this is my sister, Darla and my nephew, Dalton.”

Buffy didn’t say a word to acknowledge the rather clumsy introduction to this tough looking older woman. However, Buffy did notice that when she looked into this Darla’s eyes, she saw a small dose of sympathy there.


A/N: Oh, I just had to drum this chapter out late last night! Kind of set up the scenarios of all the characters involved. Please read and review. And thank you to all my readers. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 16: 'Closer to Buffy' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 16: ‘Closer to Buffy’


A/N: (of course, tee hee) Anyway, this next chapter is going to be a kind of hard one for me. It might be a teensy-weensy bit far fetched because of the events I have to write about. I hope it turns out okay, makes sense and such. Thanks, Luv, S


Buffy was now untied and free to roam about the cabin, thankfully. Holden’s older sister, Darla, had insisted that she be untied and allowed to move about, under their watchful eye, of course. As grateful as Buffy was, she was also quite aware that this Darla person was not really an ally of hers. No, but she was a female and somewhat sympathetic to her plight. Especially considering that Buffy had to answere to nature’s calling, like everyone.

“Well, Hold,” Buffy heard Darla sigh, “did you happen to think to bring any ‘decent’ food for her to eat?” Buffy saw Darla staring at her, a slightly concerned expression in her weary eyes.

“Jesus Christ, sis,” Holden laughed, “she’s a hostage, not a guest on Holiday. She’ll eat what we all do and like it.”

“I see,” Darla shook her pretty dark blonde head, “you didn’t think this out at all, did you?”

Holden glanced over at Buffy and gave her an ugly smirk, “I thought it out good enough, sis,” he stammered, “we’ll get the money and get the hell out of this Territory. Just think, robbing that Gile’s bunch, and over someone Spike loves. Isn’t that just the fucking end all of revenge?”

Darla shrugged and returned her stare to Buffy, she seemed to be thinking about Holden’s words.

‘How the heck did a seemingly intelligent woman like this Darla get mixed up in this mess?’ Buffy asked herself for the tenth time in an hour. ‘And,’ she continued her musing, ‘why would she bring her own son, a mere child into it?’

“Holden,” Darla growled lowly, “cut out the cursing, my boy is here and oh yeah. Keep that whore of Tucker’s away from Buffy here, and me,” she finished with a stern frown and left the room.

Holden sauntered up to where Buffy now sat and took the seat across from her. “She’s somethin’ isn’t she?” he asked Buffy almost reverently, surprising her by his sincere question.

“Yes,” Buffy answered simply, looking in the direction that Darla had gone, “she seems like a very formidable woman.”

An idea had just taken form in Buffy’s tired mind. If she could build some kind of instant comraderie with Darla, perhaps, just perhaps she could get free of this mess without the Gile’s money or any violence. Holden seemed quite in awe of his big sister, so Buffy knew it would be best to encourage him to talk about her, get him to think she at least respected Darla also.

Buffy thought about her next sentence carefully, “can I ask you a question,” she nodded at Holden who seemed to be eyeing her warily. ‘Yeah, eyeing me warily, that’s it, Buffy,’ she chided herself. ‘Holden isn’t eyeing you in fear, girl. You know that look, he’s sizing you up for other reasons.’

Buffy felt sick, physically, Holden Webster had other things in mind for Buffy, it was obvious, but she would just have to avoid that at all costs.

“Yup,” he responded simply to her request.

“Why is Darla’s son, your nephew, Dalton, here, mixed up in this?”

Holden smirked again and leaned in closer to Buffy, who was already backed against the cabin wall in her chair.

“Well you see, school teacher,” Holden explained with that darn smirk of his, “we, my guys and me, we needed someone that your boy, Spike, would not shoot on sight while we decide the terms of your freedom. We needed a kind of ‘go-between’ that would be safe from the wrath of all mighty Spike Giles and his whole fucking family.”

“ I mean, think of it. Even Spike Gile’s, murdering bastard that he is, would never shoot or threaten and unarmed boy of ten. Especially since that boy is the one who is going to take you down to your freedom. That’s when Dalton, who is a lot tougher then he looks, is going to pick up our money and release you. Works out for everyone this way,” Holden finished smugly, quite proud of himself and his plan, apparently.

Buffy just stared at him in shock, barely able to believe that this monster would subject his own nephew to such danger and that his sister, Dalton’s mother, would ever allow it.

By the time Spike, Rupert, the Gile’s boys and a good thirty men and horses took off from the Ranch, it was already sunset. The black night would soon envelope the empty prairie that lay between the Gile’s Ranch and Webster’s cabin, where Buffy was.

Spike felt a very bad feeling in his gut, they would not be able to do anything about Buffy tonight. Holden would wait until daylight to even send someone down the bluff to discuss Buffy’s release and then God only knew what would happen.

‘At least we can be at the bluff tonight,’ Spike had reasoned with himself. When he had suggested that the combined posse from Cheyenne and the Ranch leave immediately for the bluff, not one man, including his Father, dissagreed with him.

“Sooner we get there, dark or not, the sooner Webster’ll know we mean business.” Everyone involved agreed and after throwing together supplies for two days and guns, of course, from the Ranch, they rode off into the prairie and to Buffy.

Spike and Riley had almost ‘had words’ again, at the Ranch no less. Old Forrest Redfeather, the best tracker in miles, had been brought out to go with them. Connor was riding with them also, much to his Mother’s dismay, but Dad had insisted. Young Ford was coming with them and of course that fucking fool Finn was upset by it.

As he rode along, galloped really with the posse, Spike thought about the little scene back at the Ranch and shook his head.

‘Should of just shot Riley back in the beginning,’ he mused, ‘when he first made a move on ‘my’ Buffy.’

“You can’t be serious,” Finn had growled back at the Gile’s place. “Bringing along an old man like Redfeather and that upstart Indian brat you took in!”

Spike had to fight the urge to pull his gun and just end Finn’s worthless existence right then, however, he remembered that he’d be hung if he killed a Deputy. Now what good would that do, to go save Buffy then be executed, probably right in front of her? No, he held his temper, at least enough to just ‘warn’ Riley, quite amicably, to shut his fucking mouth about Forrest and Ford.

“You don’t like the company, Deputy,” Spike had growled with menance in Finn’s stupid face, “then don’t join us. But Forrest is the best man for tracking, and after what Buffy did for young Ford, outside the schoolhouse? Just try and keep that boy from going with us.”

Riley had backed down, red-faced and sulking like a child, muttering something about ‘if we get Buffy back. I’m the one that’s going to marry her, Giles.’

Spike had stopped in his tracks, turned about and glared at Riley again, “you mean ‘when’ we get Buffy back. And as for the rest of your fucking remarks? Don’t bet your job on that part, Finn. Oh,” and Spike added harshly, “just stay out of my way while we’re out. Wouldn’t want my gun to accidently go off and blow your worthless head off, would we?”

Although Holden Webster no longer sat right across from or near to Buffy, she was more then aware of his intimidating presence. Holden had been sitting on the other side of the room, smoking and talking to some man named Lindsey? However, it was apparent, to Buffy anyway, that Holden was not the least bit interested in what this Lindsey was saying.

Buffy was painfully aware that Holden was watching her the whole time, much like a cat watches and stalks a mouse. It was making her iller by the minute.

‘He’s just sitting there, eyeing me like I am his next meal,’ she thought fearfully, ‘those eyes of his, they look just like when he robbed us on the train, took my lock of hair.’

Suddenly, Holden stood up and swaggered back over to where Buffy sat, she trying to ignore his movement, but failing. ‘Spike,’ she gasped silently, ‘please come get me, please and soon.’

Holden sat back in the chair he had occupied earlier, but this time he scooched it much closer to Buffy then before. Way, way closer, she noticed, too close. He sat eyeing her for a moment or two, a leer on his stupid mouth.

“What?” Buffy hissed, scowling at this man and wondering how in the hell she ever thought he was even remotely good looking.

“I was wondering,” Holden purred silkily, “if I ask ‘you’ a question or two, would you answer me, honestly?”

Buffy looked away from the man and just shrugged ‘go ahead, ask away’ at him.

Webster leaned in closer (as if that was possible) and whispered lowly, “you must be givin’ it pretty good to Spike Gile’s huh, school teacher? I mean I know, sure as the sun comes up tomorrow, that the fucking bastard is already on the way here with my money, for you. So, you must really be a hell cat in bed, get a man so worked up over you, right?”

Buffy felt like spitting in this asshole’s face, but she swallowed hard and just shook her head, “Spike loves me, simple as that.”

If Holden caught her drift, he didn’t act like it, instead he grinned widely and asked Buffy the next question.

“Is it you like Gile’s so damn much, Buffy? Or his name and money,” he chuckled as he reached out to brush a strand of her golden hair from her cheek.

“Then maybe, when I get all that money, from lover boy, you think you might like me too?”

Buffy cringed and pulled away from Holden in disgust, “I wouldn’t like you if you were a millionaire, Webster. You make my skin crawl.”

The man before her reared back, visibly stung by her harsh words. He shook out of his stunned daze and grabbed her roughly by the arm, “we’ll just see about that bitch!” he growled.

“There’s an empty room right over there, why don’t we go and check it out, little one. I think once you give me a tumble, you’ll just change your pretty little mind about me.”

He pulled her up violently and began to drag her to the bedroom.

“I wouldn’t let you touch me, ever, you son-of-a-bitch,” she rasped as she struggled to free herself from him. Even if you were the last man on earth and the continuance of mankind meant we…”

“Holden! What the hell are you doing?” Darla’s excited voice halted Buffy’s tirade. Apparently, the woman had entered the cabin again, unnoticed by Buffy or Holden and sized up the situation quickly.

“I’m just having some fun, sis,” Holden tried to defend his actions, “why shouldn’t I take Spike’s woman if I want to. Might even keep her with us when we leave, wouldn’t that just piss the whole fucking Territory off?”

He laughed heartily, sending a shot of pure fear right down to Buffy’s toes, ‘God, I’m in such a hard, hard place now,’ she groaned, trying not to cry in front of these monsters. Buffy looked at Darla, silently pleading with her for support here.

“Let her go,” Darla ordered her brother firmly, “you touch her like that, take her as you put it? What do you think Spike Giles and the rest of those hypocrites down in Cheyenne are going to do you, and all of us? There won’t be a corner of this Country or the world that Gile’s won’t scour to find and kill you. He’ll probably cut your balls off first, though, slowly, I’m sure.”

Buffy looked at Darla thankfully then dared a glance at Holden. The man seemed to be seriously pondering his older, wiser sister’s warning.

“All right,” Holden finally sighed and let go of Buffy, only to shove her back into her chair, “but I still think…”

Darla shook her head in exhasperation, “that brother of mine, has always been your damn problem. You ‘don’t’ think.”

With that, the older woman sat down in the chair Holden had once occupied and proceeded to stare out of the little window next to her and Buffy.

‘She’s as hard as nails,’ Buffy thought with more then a little awe of this tough prairie woman. ‘I wonder, just what her story is?’

Suddenly, some man, one that Buffy had not noticed in the cabin before, came bounding in from the black night outside. He was exicited and animated, hardly stopping to breathe before he exclaimed wildly, “they’re here. Down at the bottom of the bluff. The Gile’s and dozens of men, Hold, and they are setting up for a long, long stay.”


A/N: Well, did anyone see that thing with Holden coming? (or not coming as it turned out, thank God! Tee hee) No, I wouldn’t do that to our Buffy or Spike and now maybe I’ve answered the question asked ‘why is Darla in this scenario?’ She is the voice of reason (?) for Holden…Okay, enough of that. Thanks for reading, please review, any constructive criticism is always welcome. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 16: Part II 'Rescue!' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 16: Part II ‘Rescue!’


Spike was nervously pacing about the encampment, something he had been doing most of the night. It was now close to sunrise and the oldest Gile’s son was joined by his younger brother, Liam, who had gone by Angel for many years now. Although no one could quite remember just how the unangelic Liam had gotten such a nickname.

“So,” Angel drawled as he took his older brother’s half smoked cigarette and put it to his lips, “what do you think? Webster will send someone down, about sunrise?”

With a shake of his head, Spike lit another cigarette for himself and scowled up at the bluff. “What fucks with my mind, Angel,” Spike sighed, “is just ‘who’ Webster will send? I mean, he has to be bloody careful about who he sends down here. He knows better then to make it himself. What do you think?”

Angel scoured the dark bluff, then eyed his older brother, warily, “I think that Webster will be the coward he’s always been, Spike,” he said evenly, “I think he’ll send the easiest, most gullible messenger he can find. Though, who that would be in that trashy bunch, who knows,” he ended with a shrug.

“Right,” Spike sighed loudly, “no telling who the fuck’ll send down to negotiate. If that bloody idiot, Holden Webster, even has any idea what ‘that’ means.” Angel nodded somberly in complete agreement.

“Boys,” Rupert Giles stretched as he walked over to join his sons by the campfire, “I think that we should see some sign of a negotiator by sunrise?”

Spike and Angel nodded in unison and continued to stare at the darkened bluff in front of them. The sun was just beginning to peek over the eastern horizon as the three men gazed up into the hill that held the cabin, that held Buffy captive.

Buffy sat staring out at the early morning sky. Holden had sent that poor nephew of his, Dalton, down the bluff at sunrise to make plans with Spike and apparently some of the citizens of Cheyenne for her release. The boy had been gone for less then an hour, when he returned to the Webster cabin and shyly handed his Uncle Holden a note, presumably from Spike.

“Good boy,” Holden chuckled, reading the note, “your man certainly holds you in high regard, school teacher,” he grinned at Buffy.

‘Yes,’ Buffy thought with a shiver through her chilled body, ‘he certainly does.’

“So,” Darla wondered over to her brother and snatched the note from him, “what now?”

Holden smiled at his sister, affectionatly, “now we wait until noon, send Miss Summers here down the bluff with Dalton and have the boy bring up the money.”

Buffy eyed first Darla, then Holden, warily, “so that’s it?” she asked, either or neither of them.

“That’s it,” Holden answered simply, “we’ll have my nephew wait with you and Giles until you two have ridden down to the bottom of the bluff. Shows good faith and all. Like I said, Spike Giles would never harm a boy, even if he is a mother fucking killer.”

Buffy flinched at the harsh words and names that this monster, Holden, called Spike. ‘He’s been so good to me,’ she thought sadly, ‘stood by me, thick and thin and I don’t even have the guts to defend him?’

“Just for the record, Holden Webster,” Buffy hissed softly as she made sure only ‘he’ heard her, “Spike is a good man, a great man. A real man…and a little advice from me to you…I would get your gang of trash out of this cabin and out of the Territory as soon as possible. I don’t give a rat’s about you or these fools that follow you like a puppy, but your sister, her son, them I care about. Oh,” she added with a smirk, hopefully the mirror of Spike’s and quite audibly, “as for Faith and your stupid lowlife brother? I hope they make it out, only because they deserve each other in eternal misery.”

Buffy grinned evilly at Holden then over at the whore, Faith, who hovered all over Tucker in the corner. The brunette slut gave Buffy a filthy look but held her tongue for once.

‘Smart girl,’ Buffy snickered silenty with a nasty smile at the bitch. Just for good measure, Buffy had to add one more snipe (remembering the skinny little bitch remark from earlier, no doubt).

“Oh, and Faith,” Buffy sneered amicably, “if you stick around Cheyenne, I mean once Tucker dumps your sorry ass. Be sure and tell Riley I hope he got his money’s worth, I hardly doubt it though as…

Before Faith could leap at Buffy, nails and teeth bared, Darla grabbed hold of the dark haired woman and yanked away, tossing her at Tucker.

“Let it go,” she ordered Faith harshly, “it’s nothing more then you deserve. Christ, Tucker,” she turned to her youngest brother, but nodded at Faith, “make sure this bitch takes a bath soon. She reeks.”

Buffy broke out in loud laughter, as Tucker pulled Faith up off of the floor and Darla smirked. Darla winked at Buffy then began to lovingly comb her son’s hair.

“It’s time,” Holden stated simply, turning his gaze to his nephew. “Just do as I told ya’ Dalt, take the girl down to the bottom of the bluff. Make sure the money is there on the ground, a good twenty feet from Giles. When you’ve checked it, release Buffy over to Spike. I made sure it was Spike comin’ for you,” he looked at Buffy with a smile.

“Not that ‘he’ would have stayed away, but it makes it all seem so worth while this way.” Holden began to chuckle while the other anxious men about just watched their ‘boss’ with mixed expressions.

“Miss Summers,” Dalton said politely, “shall we go then?” Buffy looked at the small boy in disbelief, then over at his Mother, “thank you Darla,” Buffy whispered to the woman. Darla nodded at Buffy, but said nothing, then gazed at her son warmly.

“So, school teacher,” Holden Webster grinned in the most friendly fashion, “you sure you won’t rethink it. Stick around with me?”

He winked at her wickedly, but Buffy just cringed and shook her head. “Like I said, Webster, I would not let you touch me for all the tea in China.”

As she took the boy, Dalton by his little arm, Buffy thought she heard both Darla and Faith chuckle. When Buffy exited the cabin, she was more then sure that this would be the last time she either heard of or saw any of the occupants of that hard place again.

Spike rode Demon up to the first knoll of the bluff, smoking a cigarette along the way.

‘She’ll be okay,’ he reassured himself with a confident nod as he patted the black bag of cash on tied to his side. ‘Buffy’ll be just fine. She’s tough, and strong and so tiny and petite and oh God,’ his confidence started to falter, just a little, ‘I love her so much. She just has to be all right.’

He scanned the tree lined bluff for any sign of Buffy and the poor boy that had been dragged into all this mess. Suddenly, he caught sight of a flash of honey blond hair just behind a huge rock, not more then one hundred or two hundred feet away. Finding it hard to breathe, Spike halted Demon where they stood and waited for the confirmation that this was Buffy.

He only had to wait a moment before his Buffy came around the rock with the young boy in tow. When Spike and Buffy’s eyes met, she broke into a huge smile, while he felt like breaking down and crying, in relief, just like a bloody toddler.

‘Oh Princess,’ is all Spike could think, as he slid off of Demon and untied the bag from his saddle.

Young Dalton nodded at Spike, “thank you, Mr. Giles,” he said simply nodding at the bag and letting go of Buffy’s arm. Spike and Buffy stumbled to each other and literally fell into each other’s arms.

Without hesitating, Spike picked her up and set her on Demon, then climbed on behind her. He didn’t even look at the boy or the money, just turned Demon around and spurred the horse down the bluff.

Neither Spike or Buffy said a word for nearly a minute, then she laid her head back against his chest and sighed softly, but in complete awe, “you came for me. You came for me Will.”

Spike nuzzled the top of her soft, golden head and murmered, “of course I came for you. I’d go to hell and back for you, Buffy. I love you more then life. ”

Spike finally allowed his tears to slip down his cheeks, as he rode with his love to safety.


A/N: Purposely short chapter to finish off the hostage situation and lead up to the really good stuff! Yeah! Can you guess what that is? Okay, I know this chapter was kind of hokey, I wasn’t sure just how to realistically write the rescue, but Buffy is safe now. Next chapter you’ll find out what happens to the Webster gang, Riley (who will end up on his ass again!) and a reunion for Buffy at the Gile’s ranch! Thanks, please read. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 17: 'We Are All So Very Glad' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 17: ‘We Are All So Very Glad’


Spike and Buffy, astride Demon, cantered slowly down to the bluff’s edge and into the encampment. Buffy gasped when she saw all of the familiar, loving male faces look up to greet her and welcome her back to safety. Before anyone else could, Spike slid from Demon and reached up to pull her from the horse, gently, in his strong arms.

“There we are, Princess,” he whispered tenderly in her ear, “all safe and sound, my girl is now.”

Rupert Giles hurried up to her, throwing his equally strong arms about Buffy and hugging her tightly to him. She swore she heard his weeping softly against her head, “oh Buffy, dear,” he whispered, “we are all so very glad you are all right.”

She pulled away and smiled softly at Rupert Giles, “thank you,” she rasped with emotion, “thank you for the ransom money. For William, for everything.”

Daniel Osbourne, Xander Harris, along with Connor and Angel joined Buffy to welcome her back.

“Where’s Willow, Anya and the babies?” Buffy asked anxiously.

“Wills is at her Uncle Saul’s,” Daniel smiled affectionately, “with baby Daniel.”

Xander nodded, “Anya and little Beth are up at the Ranch house, waitin’ on you to come home Buffy.”

Connor shyly slipped in between his Father and Buffy to welcome her back with a timid hug.

“Dawnie’s there too, at the Ranch I mean, Miss Summers. Dad made sure we took her out there, so she could greet you when you got home.”

Buffy fought the urge to begin crying in front of all these wonderful people, spying Ethan Rayne and the Mr. Jenkins, along with so many other of the townsmen.

‘They came, to save me. But it was Spike, he’s the one that risked his own life to fetch me down from that awful place,’ she sniffed to herself, hoping that none of them saw or heard her weakness.

“Buffy!” came Riley Finn’s loud voice, startling her from her near tears.

“Thank the Lord you’re safe, honey,” Riley hurried over to try and take Buffy in his arms. Buffy cringed when Riley attempted to pull her from Connor’s and Spike.

“Dear God, I hope you are all right,” Riley began sternly, “tell me that monster, Holden Webster, nor any of those other thugs touched or ‘bothered’ you in ‘that way’ why I’d…”

Buffy froze in shocked horror that this idiot, Riley Finn, would even mention such a thing, in front of Spike, his family, the other townsmen and ranch hands who stood about. Before Buffy could open her mouth to chastise Riley, she heard the loud crunch of Spike’s left fist as it connected to the Deputy’s right jaw.

Buffy looked just in time to see Riley fly backwards and end up on his backside, a look of stunned indignation on his full face.

“Finn,” Spike growled beside Buffy, enraged heat radiating from his taut body, “you truly are a bloody moron, that’s for sure.”

Buffy didn’t even hesitate to thank Spike or yell at Riley, she took off for the nearest large rock to hide behind. Her body shaking from anger and shame at Riley’s stupidity and lack of tact.

“Buffy,” Spike murmered as he joined her behind the rather large boulder that she had run and hidden behind. He took her little hand, again amazed at how right it felt connected to his. “He’s an idiot, you know that, right?”

Spike felt like going back and kicking that fool Finn, even if he was still down on his arse in the middle of twenty onlookers. She nodded, but said nothing, just squeezed his hand tightly and leaned into him.

“Buffy,” Spike whispered, gazing at her, lovingly, “it’s all right, everything is going to be fine and…”

She glanced up at him, her green eyes burned with fire. “He tried, you know,” she stammered, “Holden, he tried to ‘hurt’ me. But Darla, his sister, the boy’s Mother, she stopped him. Him and stopped that bitch Faith from harming me.”

Spike pulled Buffy close to him, “I’m glad Darla was there, Buffy dear,” he whispered to her softly, “I’ll make sure that she, the boy, are not harmed when we…”

Buffy stared at Spike in shock, “Will,” she hissed, “you can’t mean that you, them,” she nodded back at the men in the encampment, “you are all going to go after Holden, his men?”

Spike looked away from her for a moment, his fine mouth in a hard, even line. “We have to, luv,” he said softly, but firmly, “if we don’t stop them, we let them get away. Well, Princess, they’ll just pull this again. Next time, it might not be someone as strong as you sweetheart. It might be someone like the Bit, or even the Osbourne or Harris children. The most vulnerable ones of all. If they don’t do it here, Holden, his gang, then it’ll be in the next Territory, or State. We created them, this Territory, this place, those monsters up there. It’s up to us to stop them.”

Buffy leaned in further to Spike and simply nodded her understanding.

“Princess,” Spike snuggled her up against him, “I’m going to bring Xander, take you back to the Ranch. Dawn, Jennifer and Anya are there, waiting for you to come to them. Once I’ve seen you there, safe and sound, I’m leaving Xander with you all, coming back here to meet up with Dad and the others. We ‘are’ going to round up the whole bunch of them, Holden, Tucker and the other trash involved in this. Do you feel up to going back to the Ranch now, luv?”

Buffy buried her blonde head into his chest and nodded, “please, Will,” she murmered wearily, “take me home, to your Ranch.”

When the couple rejoined the other men in the encampment, Riley hovered about them, head hung down in humiliation, “Buffy,” he stuttered out quietly. She turned and glared at the tall dark-haired man. “I’m sorry, Buffy,” Riley began timidly, “I…”

Buffy leaned closer into Spike’s arms, “forget it, Riley,” she said gruffly. “Oh,” she added as Spike lifted her gently up onto his horse, Demon, “I have a message for you, Riley. Faith says ‘hi’ and sends her best.”

Spike chuckled behind her as he slid onto Demon and spurred the horse onto his Ranch, followed by the loyal and good friend, Xander Harris.

Once Buffy and Spike, along with Xander had reached the Gile’s Ranch, Harris rode on ahead to alert the family and his wife that they were home, safe and sound. At least for now. Buffy and Spike sat, still mounted on Demon, she snuggled back against him, securely.

“I’m leaving Xander here, with you all,” Spike whispered in her ear as he stroked her hair lovingly.

“Wish you weren’t going back at all,” Buffy sighed as she turned, carefully to face him. “Wish you’d stay here, with us, with me, Will.”

He smiled at her wistfully, “I can’t,” he shook his head, “Webster, those bastards with him, they took my girl from me. And scared her,” he finished harshly, nuzzling his forehead to hers.

Buffy tried to fight back the tears that threatened to spill from her eyes, “I am your girl,” she confirmed, running her tiny hand down his chiseled cheekbone.

“I know,” he purred as he leaned in to kiss her luscious little mouth.



“Buffy!” the couple jumped when they heard Dawnie cry from the front porch. Dawn, along with Anya, Jennifer and Xander scurried down the the short path to where Buffy and Spike sat astride Demon, fused together.

“I’ll be back before you know it, Princess,” Spike whispered longlingly to Buffy, kissing the tip of her funny little nose.

“You better be, Will,” Buffy mumbled back to him, realizing at that moment that she would never call him anything but William or Will again. Spike hugged her tightly, then lifted her up gently and handed her down to Xander who waited next to his wife.

“Oh, Buffy!” she heard Dawnie cry again, then felt her taller, younger sister grab her and squeeze her tightly. “Oh, Buffy,” Dawn sobbed again, “I’m so sorry, it’s all my fault.”

Buffy held her sister tightly, as if she might never get the chance again, “it’s okay, Dawnie,” she whispered as she looked over the girl’s shoulder and watched Will ride off on Demon. Back to the encampment and to their male revenge.

William turned and stared longingly at Buffy, ‘I love you,’ he mouthed to her, then turned and spurred Demon across the still light prairie back to the bluff. He didn’t see the response that Buffy whispered back to him.


A/N: Okay, short, somewhat, chappie! Next chapter is when Buffy will get her surprise and we’ll find out just what happened back at the bluff. Oh, and well, there will be just the teensiest-weensiest Spuffy in the next few chapters! (Okay, so I lied, there’ll be a lot of it! Yeah!) Thanks for reading, please review. Reviews make the next chapters come so much faster! Luv, Spuf
Chapter 17: Part II 'So Very Good To Me' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 17: Part II ‘So Very Good To Me’


Buffy Summers sat in the Gile’s kitchen, nervously stabbing at a very good steak and trying to get the desire up to actually eat the thing. Jennifer Gile’s sat across the table, scrutinizing her ‘guest’ as she attempted to eat the huge steak and Dawn Summers nibbled on her cake dessert. It was now close to 10:30 PM, Buffy noted for the tenth time in less then five minutes and all three of the women in the kitchen were quiet as mice.

‘They’ve been gone too long,’ Buffy surmissed fearfully, ‘William and the rest, they should have been back hours ago.’

After William had brought Buffy back to the Gile’s Ranch, then turned right around to rejoin the posse that had gone after her, she immediately sunk into a warm tub to bathe. Later, at Jennifer’s insistence, Buffy had tried to eat something, but had failed miserably. Now, both Buffy and Dawn demanded that they be allowed to stay up and wait until their ‘guys’ had returned home from the fray at the bluff. Jennifer again insisted that Buffy eat something.

“You’re skin and bones child,” Mrs. Rupert Giles scolded, “you have got to eat. You’ll get ill.”

Therefore, Buffy was trying to eat some steak and biscuits, at least, to appease the kind woman and possibly help keep herself awake longer.

“Will they arrest the men, Jennifer?” Buffy asked innocently, although she was sure that William, the Gile’s clan and the other men would do more then ‘that’ to Holden and his gang. Jennifer didn’t answer, just gave Buffy a strange look and glanced over at Dawn who had grown oddly silent.

“She’s sound asleep,” Buffy giggled as she surveyed her younger sister who had slid the cake plate aside and dropped her dark head to the kitchen table.

“It’s not for me to say, Buffy. I mean about the justice that Rupert and the others will meet out to Holden and the rest.” Jennifer responded somberly.

She stood and went over to Dawn, “let’s get your little sister to bed, Buffy,” she ordered gently. “We’ll put her in the guest room, the one you two used before. I think it would be best if you stayed with her, for a while at least, dear. She’s been so afraid for you since you were taken, now I fear she’s worried about that head strong youngest son of mine.”

Buffy shook Dawnie just awake enough to be led upstairs to the guest room and her bed. As Jennifer suggested, she lay down in the bed next to her sister and watched the younger girl fall back asleep instantly. Dawn had sobbed for almost an hour after William had brought Buffy home, going on about how everything had been her fault, not Buffy’s. As much as Buffy would have liked to selfishly blame Dawn for everything, the truth was, she had brought some of the kidnapping events on herself.

She, Buffy knew better then to run around, outside of the town’s limits, even just to the school house alone. Even if she had had the presence of mind to take her rifle with her, then perhaps none of the horrible events later would have occurred.

‘I’m afraid it’s more then one person’s fault, here, Dawnie,’ she admitted to herself as she brushed the long dark hair from her sister’s face.

‘Oh, God, Will,’ Buffy sighed wistfully, ‘just come back, please. I have to talk to you, tell you so much.’

It was already well past midnight when Spike, Rupert, Angel and Connor stumbled into the Gile’s back door. They were hungry and disheveled, but more then that, they were all exhausted. Jennifer still sat, alone now, in the kitchen, sipping tea when the men found her there.

“Rupert,” Jennifer jumped up to hug her man, then her sons, even Spike, warmly. “Is everyone all right? Dear Lord we’ve been sick with worry,” she exclaimed, “I finally forced poor Buffy and Dawn to at least lie down for a while. Last time I checked, they were both fast asleep, they’ll be sick that they weren’t awake when you got home.”

Spike nodded and flopped down on the nearest chair, joined by Angel who sat next to him and laid his dark head on the table across his huge arms.

“Mother,” Connor yawned, “I’m going to bed now, I can’t stay awake any longer.” There was a sad, desperation in the young man when he kissed his mother’s cheek and then stumbled off to bed.

“Jennifer, dear,” Rupert began quietly, “I’m off to bed also. The rest of the men with us went on home, though I tried to put them up here for the night. Gunn, Ford, the rest of the hands, they’re already in their bunks. Please come up soon, darling,” the oldest Giles kissed his wife on the mouth, tenderly, and headed up the back stairs to their bedroom.

“Bloody hell,” Spike groaned, “if it wasn’t the middle of winter, I’d go wash in the creek, right this minute.”

Jennifer smiled at her stepson then took a chair across from the two Gile’s boys. “Do I want to know what happened?” she asked seriously.

“Probably not, Mom,” Angel mumbled, his head still buried on his crossed arms.

“William?” Jennifer asked again as she looked at her stepson with a tired, somewhat sad expression.

“We went up, rounded up the whole bunch of them,” Spike sighed gruffly, “they didn’t go out without a fight, of course.” He didn’t look at his stepmother, it bothered him to tell her this, but she should know, as Buffy would know as soon as he could tell her.

“Shot and killed most of them, including that worthless son-of-a-bitch, sorry Jennifer, Holden Webster. The ones we didn’t shoot and kill, we hung afterwards, every one of them.”

Jennifer didn’t gasp or look terribly shocked, however, she did flinch, visibly then frowned. “The two women, the boy? What happened to them?”

Spike shrugged, “Deputy Finn and that two bit Sheriff Adams of ours, they proved to be worth something at least, this time. They took custody of Webster’s sister, Darla, her boy Dalton and that loony Faith and swore to put them on the first train out of Cheyenne. Send them all to California with a warning never to show their faces again in the Territory. Buffy would’ve wanted it that way, so Dad made sure the women and child were unharmed, just banished, so to speak.”

His stepmother just nodded slightly and said no more. “Mother,” Angel mumbled, “go easy on Connor for a while. He’s seen some hard things now, not sure if he’ll be allright for a while.”

Jennifer smiled softly and shook her dark head, “my boy, Connor will be fine,” she whispered, “he is a Giles after all.”

“William?” Buffy’s sleepy voice came from the kitchen door and he turned to find his love standing there. Dressed in a very long, warm robe, that nearly covered her from head to toe. Spike recognized it as one of his own.

“Come in, Princess,” he offerred warmly.

“Did you get them, Holden and the others?” Buffy asked, wide-eyed and shaking, slightly.

Spike glanced over at his now wide awake younger brother, Angel, then back at Buffy. With a sigh, he nodded, “we caught them all, luv. Shot most of them, hung the rest. Dad convinced the others to spare the two women and the boy, sent them away. They won’t bother anyone here anymore, sweet.”

Buffy flinched when Spike told her about the mens’ respective fates, but she seemed relieved when she heard that the boy and women would just be gone from their lives, completely.

“Get to bed Angel,” Jennifer ordered gently then stood herself to join her husband upstairs. “You two should also get off to sleep,” the woman nodded at Buffy and William.

“Thank you Jennifer,” Buffy whispered as she took the seat next to Will and lay her head on his shoulder.

“Goodnight,” Jennifer said simply and followed Angel up the stairwell, “goodnight Jennifer,” William called. Buffy just lay very still, her head in place on Will’s firm shoulder, ‘it’s right,’ she smiled to herself, ‘my head here, on his shoulder. It’s the right thing for me.’

“Buffy, luv,” William murmered, placing his arm about her, “best for you to get to bed, sweet. You’re exhausted and I want you to rest up. Take days if you must, dear. The town will hear tomorrow that school’s postponed for the rest of the week. You need your strength back and to get your bearings straight again.”

She nodded slowly, her lids almost completely closed from exhaustion. “Are you going to bed now, too?” she whimpered even as she yawned.

“Yes, luv,” Will chuckled and pulled her closer, “I’m hitting the sack right behind everyone else. I wish I could take a bath. Bloody hell, I’d take a swim in the creek if it wouldn’t freeze my arse off.”

Buffy giggled, she supposed it was to break the tension within her that had built for days now.

“Wouldn’t want your ‘arse’ frozen, would we Will?” she giggled again, snuggling in closer to him. He pulled her up from the chair and sat her on his very inviting lap, then embraced her tightly.

“I’m so glad you’re safe, Princess,” he whispered, kissed her cheek. “I don’t know what I’d do if…”

She put her finger up against his lips, “I’m all right, Will, now anyway. I just don’t know how I’ll ever repay you, your family and the others. For what they did for me and Dawnie, too.”

Spike smiled down at her lovingly, “well, baby,” he whispered, “I am just so glad that you are okay. That’s enough thanks for me. Now my Dad, my family, I think if you’d agree to marry this bloody bum of an oldest Gile’s son, then that would do.”

He smirked at her and kissed her lips softly. With a sigh, she buried her head into his chest again, “I’m so tired Will. We do need to get to bed and get some sleep. I don’t think I can even think straight anymore, you must be near dead with exhaustion.”

‘Sidestepped that one, didn’t you sweet?’ he mused. “All right, then, Princess,” he said instead, “let’s get you to bed, then I’ll go. To my poor, cold, lonely bed that is just down the hall from yours and…” he was being quite dramatic, purposely, and he saw it was not lost on Buffy.

“Oh, shush,” she giggled, placing a chaste kiss on his lips, “tomorrow I want to make a nice lunch for everyone. It’ll make me feel somewhat better about this whole mess, like it’s some kind of thank you. Although it’s not a very ‘big’ one.”

He hugged her to him, then stood up, her still in his arms. “Okay, but at least let me carry you up the stairs, luv. Makes me feel all manly like.” They both laughed all the way up the to the second floor.

Everyone in the Gile’s house slept until close to noon that day. After all of the drama and horror of the last almost 72 hours, they needed it. When Buffy awoke, she wanted for nothing more then another warm bath, which seemed to be the general ‘wish’ of everyone in the household.

Once everyone was cleaned and dressed, Buffy marched down to the kitchen and took charge from Wauneta and the cook. With the efficiency of an Army cook, Buffy put together a wonderful, if not elaborate lunch for the whole Gile’s bunch, Dawn and herself. She even insisted that Wauneta join them at the dining table.

The meal was over, coffee and dessert were set on the huge dining table and Buffy took her place by William. Everyone seemed to just watch William, expectantly, until he finally chuckled and left the dining room for a moment.

When he returned, he carried a huge, wrapped package and placed it in front of Buffy on the table.

“What’s this?” she asked, puzzled and curious. “Well, Princess,” William began shyly, “this is an early Christmas present. From me to you. I wanted to give it to you, for Christmas, but I thought maybe you should have it now. Might cheer you up after all this bloody mess. What you’ve been through and all.”

Buffy looked up at his indigo blue eyes and blinked just twice before she smiled and eagerly began to tear at the red and gold trim on the package. Of anything she would have expected to be hidden in that box from Will, she never could have guessed what it was. Pulling out the first piece of the present; Buffy discovered a Wedgewood tea pot. The exact replica of the one that had been broken when she came to Wyoming.

“Mammy Buffy’s tea set,” Buffy whispered hoarsely, staring at the pot and cups she pulled out next. Before anyone could say a word, Buffy burst into a torrent of tears and began to sob loudly.

“Rupert, Angel, Connor, Dawn,” Jennifer Giles stood and called to the four other diners, “we should go into the parlour now.”

They followed the woman out of the dining area and presumably into the parlour, leaving Spike and Buffy alone at the table.

“Buffy,” Spike murmered as he took her in his arms, “I didn’t order that or give it to you to make you cry. Thought it would please you.”

He was totally confused by this outburst over the tea pot and felt like an idiot for even considering the idea in the first place.

“No,” she shook her golden head against his chest, “it’s wonderful and it does please me. It’s just,” she choked out between sobs, “that you’re so good to me, Will. So very good to me and you said you were a bum and everything this morning. There isn’t a bummy bone in your body and…”

He chuckled and lifted her little chin up to meet his gaze, “I think you’ve kept your tears all bottled up inside of you for a bit long, luv,” he advised.

“You go ahead and cry all you want, you deserve to, strong little stubborn chit that you are. Love you so much, Buffy.”

After Buffy had cried herself into a daze, William had carried her up the stairs, back to the guest room and her borrowed bed. He laid her down on the little bed and left for just a moment, returning with a warm cloth, dipped in sweet water.

“There,” he smiled down at her, “all dried up.” He had virtually wiped then dried all of Buffy’s tear stained face.

“I’m going to send Dawn up to help you get undressed, sweet,” he grinned, “though I’d prefer to do it myself. Wouldn’t be too proper, would it?”

She shook her head softly and sniffled once or twice for good measure. “You get back to sleep, baby,” he whispered and leaned in to kiss her forehead. “By the way, Buffy,” he murmered as he stood up to leave the room, “supper was delicious.”

William blew her a kiss then left the room and her alone in the half light.

“Good night, Will,” she whispered lovingly as she drifted off to sleep.

Sometime during the evening, just after sunset, Dawn had come up the room and stirred Buffy long enough to help her get out of the day dress she had worn.

“Here’s your nice silky blue wrap, Buffy,” Dawn smiled eagerly as she slipped the wonderful soft material around her sister’s naked body. “Now just crawl into the bed and get all warm again, you’ll be asleep in a wink of an eye,” Dawn assured her.

True enough, Buffy closed her eyes and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the soft pillow. “Thanks, Dawnie,” she murmered before she went to sleep.

When Buffy opened her eyes again, it was pitch black in the little room, Dawn was asleep in the next bed over and Buffy was well aware that she was now wide awake. Her mind troubled.

Spike lay in his bed, wearing nothing but his pants and socks, reading the next chapter of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. This would make it about the hundredth time that he had reread the Bard’s tragic love story, but he couldn’t sleep. Buffy was in the guest room, not more then twenty or thirty feet down the hall from his closed bedroom door and it was difficult to concentrate on anything. The warm light from the fireplace heat made it comfortable enough in his room to not wear too much and his lamp gave him more then enough reading light.

Finally, just about 11:00 or so, Spike decided to try and get to sleep, he had a lot of work to do in the southern part of the ranch, over by the old outpost shack.

‘I’ve gotta’ stop thinking about Buffy, get to sleep. She’ll be here, at the ranch when I get back from the range tomorrow and…’

His thoughts were interrupted by a timid, soft knock on his bedroom door. He didn’t even have to ask who was there, his senses told him it was Buffy, he felt her through the oaken door.

“What’s wrong, luv,” he asked her with concern as he answered the door. “You must be freezin’ in that little silk wrap, it’s so cold in the hallway.”

Buffy just stood at his door for a moment, a tender, warm light in her beautiful green eyes. Without a word, she entered his room, closed the door behind her softly and embraced him in her tiny arms. His own arms wrapped about her, automatically in response and he buried his lips into her soft, fragrant hair.

“I love you,” Buffy whispered, simply, but with great emotion, “I love you Will, so much.”


A/N: Well, uhem, we’ll let the two lovebirds have a moment or two of privacy. Next chapter, well, it will be rated a hard R or NC-17! Guess that kind of gives you a hint of some real Spuffy coming! Hope this chapter wasn’t too, too hokey. Thanks for reading, please review, Luv Spuf
Chapter 18: 'Always Yours' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 18: ‘Always Yours’





“I love you Will,” Buffy repeated to him. He had to shake his head, just to clear his dazed mind and make sure he had heard her right. Not that Spike was shocked, no, he knew, deep down in his heart that she had loved him for some time, but to have her actually say it? To him, admit to him? Here, now and in his bedroom with the entire household asleep upstairs and down the hall from his closed door?

“I love you too, Buffy darling,” he repeated back to her, smiling with delight, but careful to say it so only they two could hear it. Spike did not want his family to hear their private conversation, not because he was embarrassed by it, but he did not want Buffy to shy off from him again. He kissed her sweet mouth, deeply, with his own, urging her lips open to meet his tongue with hers. Their tongues dueled for a while, the heat between them built up until he thought he would explode from want for her.

The blue silken wrap that Buffy wore left little to the imagination. It hugged her tiny frame like a glove and Spike was more then sure that she was bare arse naked under that soft, plush material she wore. This presented him with a dilema, definitely, as they continued to kiss each other passionately.

He wanted to carry his Buffy over to his warm bed, yank that wrap from her body and take her right then and there. However, what if Buffy was more then content to have just murmered her love for him and heard his admission again for her? What if she just was happy to hold each other and profess their undying love for each other? He certainly did not want to frighten her away from him, not again.

Buffy was not confused in any way, shape or form. She knew, certainly, exactly what she had wanted and expected the minute she left the guest room and made her way to William’s closed door. While she was fully aware that she and Will would have to be extremely discreet and very quiet, she was more then determined that this tryst would climax into the love making that they had both wanted for months. As she returned his passionate kisses with equal fervor, Buffy took her right hand from his neck and reached in between their close bodies to untie the sash that held her wrap about her.

She shrugged the intrusive silken robe from her body and let it fall, pooling about their feet on the floor. William gasped and clutched her desperately to him, pressing their chests together and revealing just how ‘ready’ he truly was to cumulate their bond together.

“Are you sure, Princess?” he asked huskily as he skimmed her jaw and neck with his lips. “I’m afraid I won’t be able to stop this time, not like before at the creek.”

She moaned and pulled his face tighter to her neck, urging him to kiss and nibble it, “I am sure Will,” she acknowledged, breathily, “I don’t want you to stop. I want you to finish this, here and now. Then I want you to start it again, and again,” she trailed off breathlessly. “But we have to be extra, special quiet, Will. Please.”

Her breathy requests through half closed lids were all he seemed to need to hear as William lifted Buffy up and into his arms, never breaking their kiss. He backed up and over to his bed, spun about slowly, and gently lay her on the warm covers. Before she could blink twice, he had removed the rest of his clothing and lay down beside her.

“I love you,” he murmered just before he pulled her flush against his naked body and kissed her again, deeply.

“Oh, Will,” she moaned again as he left her mouth with his and kissed down her jaw to her neck.

Spike kissed and nibbled Buffy’s lovely sleek neck, something he had done before, but never truly worshipped it like he should. She was perfect for him. Her golden hair, fiery green eyes that were now half covered in lids that were heavy from desire. Buffy’s skin was creamy and pale, soft as clouds and her breasts were just the right size for him, her hips were slim, but strong.

“You’re beautiful,” he murmered in awe as he met her gaze lovingly.

“So are you,” she sighed in lust, pulling his head to her breast so he could continue to suckle it. He licked her nipple again, gently, then took as much of her right creamy breast in his mouth as he could to continue his ministrations. Buffy rewarded him by groaning in pleasure and thrusting her hips up against his body.

“More,” she gasped loudly, even as she tried to keep her voice down.

“More?” he grinned affectionately, momentarily breaking away from her breast and raising his left brow. “Thought you said we needed to be extra special quiet Princess?” His eyes gleamed with glee as he went back to suckle her left breast this time.

‘His hair,’ Buffy thought, oddly enough at a time like this. ‘It’s so soft and curly, just like at the creek that day. Why does he slick it back so most times? I love it like this.’ She determined right then and there that she would try to encourage her soon to be lover to leave his hair in it’s natural state in the future.

“Mmmmm,” she purred into the top of his sandy curls, “that’s so lovely Will.” He was not only lavishing her left breast with his tongue, but he had snaked his left hand down to her golden curls below to stroke there lovingly.

“Gonna’ make love to you all night, Buffy,” he growled softly as he returned to kissing her mouth hungrily. When she broke away to allow for necessary breathing, she purred in response, “gosh, I hope so.”

William pulled back and looked at her, his warm smile was so full of love and awe for her that Buffy’s heart nearly skipped three beats.

“Are you ready for this, Buffy?” he asked softly, “are you ready to take me and give yourself to me, totally. Let me make you mine and me yours?”

Buffy smiled and ran her fingers down his cheek, tenderly, “yes, Will. I am more then ready.”

Spike kissed Buffy again, almost chastely, then positioned himself between her thighs. He slowly, almost reverently slid into her hot wetness, gasping in pleasure as he did so.

“Oh Jesus, Buffy,” he moaned gruffly, “you’re so hot and wet. So sweet and so very much mine.”

Buffy hissed in pleasure and immediately wrapped her long legs around his hips to pull him in even closer. “So hard,” she murmered huskily, “so big and hard and strong.”

He nuzzled his forehead to hers and whispered hoarsely, “all for you, baby. Always and forever yours, I am. And you’re mine.” Slowly he slid out almost all the way out of her, then pushed slowly, almost agonizingly so, back into her to his hilt.

“Always yours,” she acknowledged, “always.”

They were both trying so very hard to keep their voices down, keep the sounds of their love making from being heard outside the sanctity of his bedroom. Spike was trying so very hard to last longer, but Buffy, his sweet, tough, lovely little Buffy felt so damn good, he knew it would not be long before he climaxed.

From the moment she had stepped off that train last summer, stormed into his life, his heart and head, he had wanted her more then anything. He loved her, first time he had laid eyes on her as she flounced around so haughty and sure of herself. Spike smiled as he gazed down at her gorgeous eyes, half closed, her luscious mouth slightly parted.

“I’m not going to last much longer,” he gasped as pushed into her again, harder with each thrust. “Me either,” she panted in his ear, giving it a tender nibble for good measure. He grinned widely and captured her mouth with his once more, greedily devouring it.

“I love you Buffy,” he whispered hoarsely in her ear. “Love you too Will,” she whispered back as they rocked together in pleasure.

Then, “now!” they cried in unison as their bodies climaxed together, burying their low screams of pleasure into each others’ mouths. When they had finished, cumming together to seal their bond in the way it should be. Especially the first time that two people who truly love one another, make love together. Spike collapsed on top of Buffy, spent, slick with their combined sweat, but careful not to hurt her with his weight.

He had buried his head in her neck, nuzzling the silky flesh there with his mouth. Buffy was stroking his back with her tiny, warm hands, her darling face resting on his own head. She was breathing softly, almost panting while he felt like he was growling, softly anyway. Finally, he lifted his head, met her green eyes, which now resembled fiery opals and murmered longingly, “marry me Buffy. Please.”


A/N: Oh, I detest writing sex scenes (okay I don’t but I’m so insecure about it!). Anyway, our couple is now ‘complete’ wouldn’t you say? Or, is it going to take some more chapters to get these two to the chapel? Please continue reading and reviewing. Thanks, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 18: Part II 'Stay With Me' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM



Chapter 18: Part II ‘Stay With Me’


They lay, curled up together in that simple, but very warm bed and still both very naked. Spike had both his arms wrapped about Buffy, her tiny body half pulled up on top of his. One of her long, slim arms was draped about his neck, her other one lay against his chest, her tiny hand rested there. Buffy’s golden head was snuggled just underneath his chin and he could feel her golden lashes brushed up against his skin.

Neither of them were completely asleep, but they were very, very dazed and sated from their last frenzied love-making. Spike smiled against her soft head, thinking about their last coming together. His Buffy was everything he had dreamed she would be, everything he had hoped for and knew she was.

There had been no holding back on either of their parts during their love making. Buffy was responsive, loving and urgent in her needs, just like he had been with her and Spike was more then delighted; he was in awe of her.

‘God, Princess,’ he sighed in contentment, ‘do you have any idea what you do to me?’

“Buffy, luv,” Will whispered into her ear, pulling her from her dazed contentment.

“Hmmm,” she murmered back, snuggling her face even deeper into his warm neck.

“Will you?” he asked simply, “marry me I mean. As soon as possible, please luv. I love you so much, can’t think how I’d go on. Knowing we can have this always, but not living in the same house, sharing the same bed, all the time that is.”

She resisted the urge to shout out her answer, fearing that the other residents in the house would surely hear what their beloved Will and their proper school teacher had been about for the last few hours.

So, she chose to giggle softly and nod her head, “yes, Will,” she whispered so lightly, just so he could hear, “I will marry you. I love you very much and we can marry, as soon as possible.”

He sighed against the top of her head and lifted her chin to bring her mouth to his. There were tiny tears of happiness in his indigo blue eyes.

“Stay with me,” he pleaded tenderly as he nuzzled Buffy’s soft golden hair with his lips. “The rest of the night, stay with me and sleep with me. I’ve got to be up just before sunrise, before anyone else will even think of waking. I’ll be sure and get you back into your safe, proper little bed in the guest room, all discreet like before anyone even knows you went missing from it. I promise, Princess. So stay with me now.”

She nodded against his chest and he cuddled her even closer to him.

“I suppose your Mum and Jennifer will want to make a big fuss, eh, luv?” he chuckled softly, “about the wedding and all. Have a big party, no holds barred. Your Mum and Dad, they’re coming back out to pick up Dawn in January, then? I ‘spose you’ll be wantin’ to wait until then? I’d marry you tomorrow, sweetheart, if you’d have me. But, I guess I can wait a bit longer, huh?”

Buffy raised her head and grinned at him, saucily. This is already the 2nd of December, darling,” she murmered and kissed his mouth tenderly, “we can wait, just a bit longer, can’t we, darling? Don’t you think? Besides,” she continued with a low giggle, “my Mother and Jennifer would ‘surely’ throw 10 fits if they could not put on a huge show for just
everyone!”

Spike raised his left brow, but smiled warmly, “yeah, ‘spose you’re right about that.”


True to his word, as always, William made sure, after a nice little rest together, that Buffy got back into her guest room. Safe, sound and no one in the house the wiser, or, so the two lovers thought anyway, as he reluctantly allowed her to go back into the guest room. William himself, was dressed, bundled up and less then ready to go to the chore he had in the Southern part of the ranch.

The next day, it was well past noon before Buffy awoke and found herself alone in the guest room, Dawn was up and about already.

‘Of course she is. I’m only exhausted because I have been up, making love all night with my man,’ Buffy giggled, as she threw the cumbersome blankets off of her. She jumped up and washed as best she could, choosing a nice riding habit from the guest room closet.

When she arrived downstairs, the rest of the Giles family, including Dawn were lounging about the parlour. Maybe she, Buffy, was imaging things, but it seemed that every one of the people in the Gile’s parlour were watching her, eagle eyed and with varying degrees of smiles on their faces.

“What?” she asked innocently to Dawn, then Rupert and Jennifer Giles. Dawn giggled and shrugged, then scurried off to sit next to Connor by the fireplace. Rupert grinned widely, his blue eyes, ‘Will’s eyes,’ Buffy thought warmly, ‘shining with graceful happiness.’

Jennifer stood up and approached Buffy, “you must be starved,” the older woman stated. ‘Did Jennifer Giles just wink at me?’ Buffy wondered as she allowed herself to be led into the kitchen.

After a quick breakfast of biscuits and gravy, Buffy wiped her mouth and put her dishes in the great kitchen sink. Jennifer and Rupert both had sat with her in the kitchen while she ate, chatting amicably, sipping tea. Buffy sat back down at the table and glanced up at Will’s Father, a questioning look on her face.

“He’s out at the Southern end of the ranch,” Rupert nodded and stated simply, “there’s an outpost shack there. The fence, it needed mending. William’s there. It’s only about a half hour ride or so. Your Cloud is out in the corral. I am sure she would be most happy to visit Demon while you and William ‘talk’ together.”

Jennifer grinned widely at Buffy who rose from the table and immediately hurried out the of the back door to have Cloud saddled and ride out to ‘talk’ to Will.

Buffy had no trouble in finding the place that Will was supposed to be, a stretch of land surrounded by a broken fence with an infrequently used outpost shack nearby.

By the time Buffy had reached Will and Demon, he was more the aware of her coming. He had tossed his tools aside and lit a cigarette, leaned up against the almost mended fence, a warming smile on his handsome face.

“Everything all right, Princess?” he asked as he reached up to lift her off of Cloud and into his strong arms. She nodded shyly and cuddled into him with confidence.

“I think,” she whispered softly, “that maybe we should not wait, Will. To marry that is.”

He pulled back and grinned happily at her, “fine by me, but why the sudden change in the waiting period and all.”

William had tossed his unfinished cigarette into the snow before he’d taken her down and into his arms, but Buffy still could smell the familiar, comorting aroma of smoke, tanned leather from his heavy coat and something that was distinctively her man, William.

“Because,” Buffy began shyly, her face a warm flush of need, want and perhaps even practicality. “I might be a little premature, but…”

Spike raised his eyebrow up, gave her a once over and his best grin, “premature?” he chuckled as he tucked a loose strand of her golden hair behind her ear.

Buffy took his free hand and ran it down the front of her heavily clothed body, coming to rest on her tummy. “What if,” she began haltingly, “what if there’s a baby in here, already I mean.”

She looked at him, her green eyes full of wonder and hope; it made Spike feel more like a man then he had ever felt in his life. “Then I say,” he whispered lovingly, kissing the tip of her funny nose gently, “then I say, wonderful, sweetheart. I’d like nothing more then to have a baby in there, already that is. And you are right. We should marry as soon as possible. Oh, the hell with the wedding parties, let them throw the things after the fact. We will marry, Buffy, my love, tomorrow, since it’s probably too late today.”

Buffy clasped Will to her, desperately, afraid that this was all a dream, afraid that she and he may love each other too much, but still brave enough to embrace it all. Him, their love, their future together.

“Yes,” she sighed against his chiseled cheek, “we’ll marry tomorrow. Mother and Jennifer can give us after wedding parties, to their heart’s content. Kiss me Will,” she ordered firmly, “kiss me until I cannot take any more of your kisses, not until later, tonight, when the household is quiet again and I sneak back into your room.”

William laughed loudly, yelled even louder and pulled her up into his arms. Before she could think, he had carried her to the little outpost shack nearby and kicked the door open.

“I love you school teacher,” he murmered into her ear.

“I love you too,”she echoed as he lay her on a cot in the corner.


A/N: Sigh…hope that wasn’t too hokey. In the next chapter, after they consumate their engagement once again, our two love birds will go back to the ranch, inform their respective family and friends that they ‘will’ marry tomorrow in the morning. This story is coming close to an end, or is it? Thanks for reading, please, please review, hokey or not. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 19: Announcements!' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM

Chapter 19: ‘Announcements’


A/N: Again, thank you to everyone who read the last few chapters that I had to delete and then re-submit. I’m such a doofus! Please go back and read Chapter 17: Part II ‘So Very Good to Me’ if you haven’t already. It’s an explanation of what happened to Holden and his gang and Spike gives Buffy a wonderful gift. Thank you to everyone who reviewed Chapters 18 I & II already. Franchessca, thank you for pointing out that we didn’t know what happened to Holden, it’s what alerted me to my faux pas! Luv, Spuf



Spike sat next to his future bride, Buffy, at the dinner table of his Father’s home. It struck him as ironic, that soon, very soon, he would not be having his dinner at this table every night, not after he married Buffy. They would have their own home, away from this one, a place to make their own family, their own dreams and memories.

He, William Rupert (not in a hurry to make that too known!) Gile’s had never been more happy, or terrified in his entire 22 years. All because of her, the little spitfire from Tennessee, Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers, who had blown into his simple life. She had changed everything, the draw of the cards; change in the weather; his hardened heart.

Buffy had simply changed his entire life and he would be forever grateful to her and the Powers That Be (had to throw that in there!).

Not even halfway through their supper, Spike noticed that everyone at the table, his Dad, Jennifer, Dawnie and Connor, even carefree Angel, was staring at Buffy and him. They appeared to be waiting for some ‘big’ announcement from the couple.

“Dad,” Spike began carefully, trying to keep the excitement out of his voice, “uhm, Buffy and me,” he looked at Buffy for strength. His heart skipped a beat when she gave him that secret Buffy smile of hers, “Dad, Jennifer, guys,” he looked at his family, all of them. “Buffy has agreed to marry me. Tomorrow, in fact, and…”

Before he could get another word out, the other five people at the table, besides Buffy, of course, leapt out of their seats to throw themselves at the couple. Dawnie had Buffy in practically a head-lock, the Bit was screaming in glee as she hugged her smaller sister and nearly knocked her from her chair. Angel was slapping his older brother on the back, a mischievious grin on his handsome face.

‘Probably wonders if I’ve bedded my innocent Buffy yet,’ Spike smirked to himself. ‘Bloody hell,’ he continued his line of thoughts, ‘he knows I have. I can read it in his eyes.’

Rupert Giles looked like he was about to break out in tears, he was so relieved that his little ‘plan’ had come to fruitation and Jennifer beamed proudly at both Spike and Buffy. Connor just hovered about them both, simply being Connor, a strong young man, with the heart of a poet.

“Tomorrow!” Spike heard Dawn yelp excitedly. “How? There’s so much to do?”

“Well,” Buffy drawled softly, “I know I do not have a proper white wedding dress, but…”

Jennifer broke in, “nonsense. If you need to, or would like to, Buffy dear, my wedding dress is in wonderful condition. We are close in size and I would hate it if you put off the wedding because you don’t have the right wedding attire. Wauneta is a wonder at sewing and altering, she could fix it up in an hour to fit you. Besides, I would be so very happy if you would wear the dress, it would just make me so pleased.”

Buffy felt the sting of tiny tears threatening to slip from her green eyes, “I, I would be honored to wear your dress, Jennifer,” she whispered in awe. “I mean, if that is okay with you. If you are sure?”

Jennifer nodded firmly, “I’m positive.”

She looked at William who was watching her, carefully, that William look on his face. It was the one that she had seen the first time their eyes met, the one she had fallen in love with.

Dawn piped in, “there’s not flowers in the gardens, but perhaps we could put some kind of a wedding bouquet together, Buffy.” Her younger sister’s blue eyes shined with love and happiness for her and Buffy had to reach out to hug the dark haired girl, lovingly.

Rupert, always the voice of reason, chimed in, “might be a bit of a problem with the ceremony, though.” The Gile’s patriach seemed to scrunch up his handsome face just a little as he pondered ‘that’ dilema.

“Why’s that, dear,” Jennifer asked anxiously.

“Well,” Rupert continued, “that pompous wanker, Reverend Caleb Montgomery. You know what a pious fool he can be. He might throw a crook in the children’s happy plans. He’s always resented William, for Finn’s sake, I suppose.”

Everyone kind of sighed, all at once, in dissapointed frustration.

“Well, hell, Dad,” Angel chuckled, “we’ll just put a gun to the idiot’s head and make him say the words over Buffy and Spike, why I’ll…”

Jennifer scowled at her son, “Liam Giles,” she muttered in exasperation, “you’ll do no such thing. My Lord, putting a gun to a Minister’s head and trying to force wedding words from him. Rupert, what are we going to do with this boy?”

The Mother pointed at her ‘Angel’ with an oddly mixed expression of exasperation, pride and love.

“Well,” Rupert hesitated, “Montgomery is a fool, but we certainly can’t shoot the man.”

Buffy gave Spike a desperate look, apparently the thought of anyone trying to halt their ultimate happiness was quite the shock to both of them.

‘Could tell that bloody ponce, Reverend Montgomery, that I’ve compromised Buffy’s virtue. He’d have to marry us then, eh?’ Spike reasoned.

However, vocally, he said simply, “what about Ethan Rayne? As Mayor of Cheyenne, he has the right to marry us, doesn’t he, Dad?”

Rupert grinned widely, “yes he does, son. More then the right, it’s his duty in most cases. I don’t know how many marriages my good friend Ethan has performed. Why, he married Xander and Anya Harris, when that nitwit Reverend of ours would not.”

“I would like Ethan and Cordelia at the ceremony, anyway,” Buffy murmered softly. “Cordelia knew right off that Will and I were meant for each other. She must attend. She, the Osbournes and the Harris’s, of course.”

William took her hand in his and kissed it tenderly, “you are one hell of woman Buffy Summers,” he whispered as he gazed into her eyes lovingly.

“Yours, always,” she mouthed to him.

“Always, yours,” he mouthed back with a happy grin.

“Oh I don’t know about the Reverend, Spike, Miss Summers,” Connor suddenly chimed in. “Can I call you Buffy, now, Miss Summers,” the youngest Gile’s asked shyly, “I mean, since you’re going to be my sister and all?”

Buffy grinned and nodded warmly. Connor grinned himself then continued, “Reverend Montgomery, me and him, we talked some when we went to get Buffy from Webster. He was really worried about you Miss…Buffy, I mean. And Spike, too. The Reverend was worried about both of you, very much. I think he would marry you tomorrow, just ask him.”

Everyone at the table gaped at Connor, their mouths wide open in surprise at the normally quiet young man.

“Thank you, Connor,” Buffy smiled, “we will ask Reverend Montgomery to give the ceremony.” Connor grinned widely and gave Spike his patent worshipful look.

After everyone had gone to bed, more then prepared for the big Spike and Buffy day tomorrow, Buffy waited until the house was very still. She made her way, silently, to Will’s door and tapped lightly, ‘probably don’t need to bother,’ she mused, ‘I think everyone in this house, including the servants know exactly what’s going on here.

Buffy had thought about keeping with tradition, that the groom did not see the bride on the day of the wedding, at least not until the ceremony itself. However, she had a deep need to be with William tonight and until early in the morning, and he with her.

Oh, it wasn't just about ‘sexual need’ or pleasure. It was more, much more. There was a strong primal urge to be with her soon to be husband, heart, body and soul and it was something that could not be denied, would never be denied again in their lifetime together.

William opened his bedroom door, a dazzling smile on his handsome face, “seemed like forever,” he pouted at her warmly.

“Yes,” she whispered as he allowed him to take her hand and lead her into his room. “It seemed like forever to me too.” They both closed the bedroom door, ever so quietly, behind them.


A/N: Short chapter. The next one will be about the wedding, honeymoon trip (can you guess where our Spike/Buffy will go?) and the reactions of the townspeople! I do appreciate you all who are reading this. Please…Again, thanks for reading, please review, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 19: Part II 'Best Christmas Ever' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM



Chapter 19: Part II ‘Best Christmas Ever’


The wedding party was on it’s way to Cheyenne from the Ranch. Buffy was attired in Jennifer’s altered wedding gown, the older woman’s own veil atop her long golden hair. Dawn, Buffy, Anya and Jennifer rode in the Gile’s huge buckboard, Rupert at the reins. Jennifer had insisted that they keep with tradition and have William ride his own steed, Demon, alongside Xander and Connor on their horses, separate from his soon to be bride. Angel had been sent earlier, on ahead to round up the Osbournes and Rayne’s to attend the happy occasion. Dawn had made up a beautiful bouquette of deep green ivy from Jennifer’s garden lattice and carried it in her hands until she would put it in Buffy’s for the ceremony.

Buffy was nervous, mainly because she still was not sure that Reverend Montgomery would so easily agree to marry Will and her. Connor had assured them all that he was certain that Caleb Montgomery would say the wedding words for them, which is really what Buffy wanted. She was religious enough to need the blessings of a man of the cloth and be married in the Church she had been raised in.

William rode along side the buckboard, his eyes either on the path ahead of them, or on her.

‘He thinks I look beautiful,’ she gave him a shy, soft smile. Her soon to be husband grinned at her widely, ‘love you,’ he said loud enough for everyone to hear. Buffy blushed bright red, but repeated the sentiment back to him anyway.

Once they got into town, the wedding party headed straight for the Church. Townspeople that were milling about outside of their homes and businesses stopped to look in delight at the caravan of riders. Young Tommy Jenkins, who was sweeping his parents front porch, dropped his broom and excitedly ran indoors to fetch his family members.

When most of the Jenkin’s family emerged, they waved and clapped happily for Spike and Buffy. In fact, Spike noticed ‘all’ of the people along the street seemed very pleased at the sight of the ‘couple’ as they rode to their wedding. Buffy seemed very nervous to Spike, but he attributed that to the day’s events and Reverend Montgomery’s reaction to their request.

‘If that bloody fool makes a fuss against our marriage, if he ruins this day for my Buffy, I might shoot the idiot,’ Spike thought to himself, suddenly a little nervous too.

When the group arrived at the Church, they found Angel standing outside of it with Daniel, Willow and Ethan and Cordelia Rayne. Ethan looked so proud you’d thought it was his son marrying Buffy, and Daniel, who was normally a very reserved, quiet man, was actually quite antimated.

Willow and Cordelia were beaming wildly at Buffy and nearly dragged her from the buckboard in excitement before Rupert could help her down. Buffy almost cried herself when she saw happy tears in her two friends eyes and she hugged them so hard, Willow nearly lost her breath.

“Well, we best get in and get started,” Angel piped up, “it’s all set to go. I talked to the Reverend already and asked him to marry you two. Hope that was okay.”

Angel began to chuckle and Rupert looked at his son nervously, “you did not threaten Reverend…” the Father asked his ‘Angel’ with concern.

“Nah,” Angel laughed as he looked over at Buffy and his brother, William, “if fact, here’s the funny part. When I told Reverend Caleb you two wanted to get hitched, he actually smiled and mumbled, ‘it’s about damn time.’

Buffy gave Angel a somewhat disbelieving look and noticed Will did the same. “Promise,” Angel nodded, “his Mother and him are all excited and running around like it’s his wedding.”

“Oh, and Buffy,” Angel leaned in to talk privately with his new sister, “I cleared the way for Xander and Anya to attend. Old Caleb, he’s not such a pompous fool anymore,” he finished in a whisper.

Buffy touched her new brother’s cheek, tenderly, “you are a good man, Angel Giles and I hope that some fine girl, soon comes along to make your life complete.”

Will put his arm around Buffy, smiled lovingly and gave her a naughty wink, “well, like the Reverend said, it’s about damn time we get married, Princess. Shall we,” he nodded at the Church door.

“Yes,” Buffy responded with happy assurance, “we shall.” Everyone went indoors to watch Buffy and William get hitched.

“Marriage,” Reverend Caleb Montgomery began, seriously, “is not something that should be entered into lightly.” He then grinned at the happy couple warmly, “and I know that you two are doing this for all of the right reasons,” Caleb winked at them both. Buffy blushed and giggled while William just smiled at her, lovingly.

“Marriage,” the Reverend continued soberly, “is a wonderful thing, full of promise and hope for the couple that have the strength to enter it. With the right intentions,” he added somberly, then again smiled at the couple. “However, we must remember something very important as Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers and William ‘Spike’ Giles take these vows, today, in front of God, family and friends as their witnesses. Marriage, like all worth while relationships, is like a beautiful garden; it needs constant tending and nurturing to remain lovely, strong and healthy. I know, in my heart, that William and Elizabeth will tend to their new garden. With love, perserverence and respect for each other that they now have and forever will, for each other.”

“Is there a ring?” Caleb asked innocently of both the bride and groom.

“Yes,” Spike answered evenly, pulling out a beautiful gold band from his pocket and holding it up to show the Preacher and his bride, Buffy.

“Will,” Buffy gasped, “I, I didn’t know you had a ring for me. How?” Spike blushed and stammered, “it was my Mum’s. Her wedding band. I’ll buy you the best ring in Denver, one of your own, later, Princess. But for now…”

Buffy began to tear up and softly and stuttered, “I’ve no ring for you.” Rupert, who was acting as best man for his oldest son stepped around William and handed Buffy a slim golden band.

“It was my ring, when I married William’s Mum,” he said simply.

“Well,” Caleb sighed in relief, “that being settled. Elizabeth Anne Summers, do you accept this man, William Rupert Giles ring?”

Buffy raised her brow, ‘Rupert?’ she mouthed at her groom. Will just blushed and shrugged.

“Of course,” Buffy finally answered evenly.

“William,” the Reverend continued, “do you accept this ring from Elizabeth?”

Will smiled, that dazzling smile of his that melted Buffy’s heart, “absolutely,” he responded firmly.

“By the power, from God above and the Territory of Wyoming, I pronounce you Husband and Wife. William, you may kiss your lovely bride.”

And he did, Will kissed Buffy in front of everyone, including God in the ‘Cheyenne Baptist Church’ on the 4th day of December, 1881.

“There’s a wedding feast waiting at the Ranch,” Jennifer Giles crowed happily as she threw the last of the rice at William and Buffy. Dawn was sobbing uncontrollably and Buffy hugged her sister to her tiny body.

“Someday,” Buffy whispered to her little sister, “someday Connor will come for you. He will rush off to Greenville and spirit you away. I know it Dawnie, in my soul, I know it.”

Her younger sister smiled through her fresh tears and then laughed as she hugged the new bride to her.

“Let’s be off,” William ordered happily, “sooner we eat the Wedding dinner, the sooner I can take my bride off to our Honeymoon.”

Angel and Xander chuckled loudly while Dawn giggled and Jennifer gave them all a warning look.

“Oh, please,” Anya Harris chimed in, “as if we all don’t know you’ve already had the honeymoon and…” Xander guwaffed loudly, “Anya, honey, please. Not right now.”

When the wedding party exited the Church, they found a very upset and confused Riley Finn waiting for them.

“Buffy,” Deputy Finn stepped closer to the new bride, “what is this? What are you doing Buffy?”

Spike resisted the urge to deck the lumbering idiot right then and there, he did not want to ruin Buffy’s wedding day with violence.

“Why,” Buffy began as matter-of-factly as she pleased, “I’m off to my Wedding feast. That is, William’s and my Wedding supper. Then, we’re going up to his cabin, or should I say, ‘our cabin’ now, hopefully quite soon tonight, for our Honeymoon.”

Riley looked completely crushed, or lost, or stupid or all three. Spike helped his bride up onto the buckboard, “see you around Deputy,” he chortled at Finn with a smug expression on his face.

William had tied Demon to the buckboard and drove his bride, their family and friends back to his Father’s Ranch for the Wedding supper.

“It’s a shame,” Rupert sighed, “that the weather is not condusive for you children to travel down to Denver. It would be a nice Honeymoon for you both.”

Buffy smiled widely, “oh, that’s okay,” she murmered, taking her husband’s large right hand in her own tiny one, “our cabin. It’s fine. Besides,” she continued gazing at Will, lovingly, thinking how right their hands felt together, “it so does need a woman’s touch.”


It was close to sunset when the newlyweds left the Gile’s Ranch and headed up to the cabin on the bluff. It was the big bluff, the one that both William and Buffy now owned.

“Bloody hell,” Spike hissed softly as they pulled up in front of the cabin, “thought we’d never get here.”

Buffy gave him a ‘look’ then smiled affectionately, “well, we’re here now, Will,” she giggled.

“Thank God,” he continued as he leapt from the wagon and reached up for his bride, “thought I’d die from the waitin’ for you. At least here, now, we can be as loud as we want.”

The bride gasped in mock embarrassment, “William Rupert Gile’s, how can you be so crude and…”

Spike nearly yanked Buffy from the wagon, “oh, you know you love it Princess, when I’m crude and all manly like,” he chuckled.

“Yes,” she sighed shyly, “I do love it, and you.”

He kissed her funny little nose, “love you too,” then picked her up in his arms and carried her over the threshhold of their cabin.

‘Three Weeks Later’


Buffy sat in the huge living room of the Gile’s Ranch, watching the festivities of Christmas unfold before her eyes. Her Father, Hank Summers and her Mother, Joyce, were both here for the Holidays. Come to celebrate Christmas with their new family and to take Dawn home to Tennessee with them.

Will and her lived, for the time being in her little house in town; just until their new home, the one near the bottom of their bluff was completed. So many men had offerred to help erect William and Buffy’s ranch house that it would not be long until it was finished and they could move in.

“Look!” Dawn squealed as she picked up a huge, brightly wrapped package, “it’s from Connor, to me!”

The dark-haired girl ripped the paper off of the package and lifted a beautiful world globe from the box. “Oooooh,” Dawn cried in delight, “it’s beautiful, Conn,” she exclaimed as she scurried over to reward her ‘suitor’ with a warm kiss on his cheek.

William grinned at Buffy and pointed to the map of the United States on the globe, apparently, Connor had marked the Wyoming Territory and Tennessee in a bright red paint.

“This is for you, William and Buffy,” Rupert Gile’s smiled almost shyly as he handed his oldest son an envelope.

“Dad,” Spike whispered, “after your generous Wedding gift, this is too much.”

Rupert had bestowed 500 acres of his ranch land to the newlyweds, the boundaries covered part of the range and ran right up to their bluff. This is where they were starting to build their new home, the one they would share together.

Buffy stood and kissed her Father-in-law on his cheek, “you’re too good to us, Dad,” she whispered fondly. The oldest Giles blushed bright red and grinned at his lovely wife, Jennifer.

“This is for you, Will,” Buffy picked up a slim package from under the Christmas Tree and handed it to her husband. William pulled his wife onto his lap and kissed her cheek, affectionately, “thank you, Princess,” he chuckled.

“I hope you like the necklace I got you, the emeralds were meant to match your eyes, although they could never come close to ‘your’ gorgeous eyes, luv.”

Buffy smiled and nuzzled her husband’s cheek, “love it,” she murmered, “I’ll show you just how much, later tonight.”

Buffy’s present to Spike was a volume of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

“Buffy, luv,” he whispered excitedly, “I love it!” She grinned at him, then got up from Will’s lap and cleared her throat, very dramtically indeed.

“I have another Christmas present,” she announced proudly in her strong, clear voice. “It’s mostly for William, but it’s kind of for our parents, too. You, Papa and Mama, Rupert and Jennifer, it’s for all of us, really. I am certain, well, more then certain, that Will and I are going to have a baby, sometime in August and this is my Christmas gift, to all of us.”

William leapt from his chair and swept Buffy up in his arms, “Oh God, baby,” he began to cry softly, “best Christmas, ever. I love you, girl, so much.”

Buffy giggled widely and kissed her man on his lovely mouth, “love you too, William Rupert.”


A/N: Here ends the sole story of William ‘Spike’ Giles and Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers. The next chapters will be in the future, involving their Children and perhaps Grandchildren. If you readers feel that I should end the story right now, please let me know. If not, I will continue with the Summers/Gile’s history for some time to come. Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 20: 'August 20th, 1882' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 20: ‘August 20th, 1882’


A/N: A Valentine’s Day ‘happy’ chapter!


“You need to breathe, evenly, luv. Then push, like the Doc says,” Spike rasped to his wife, Buffy, with desperation. “This baby isn’t going to come by itself. Breathe, sweetheart, I’ll help time the pain and you…”

Buffy propelled her tiny body, half up from the bed she lay in, there was a slick sheen of sweat that covered her face and neck, “breathe and push your damn self! Or get the hell out of here!” she screamed at her husband.

Then she fell back onto the bed and started the process once more as Doctor Wilkens tried to shoo Spike from the room.

“It’s no place for a husband, Spike,” the Doctor insisted, “these things are best left to Doctors and women in general, please go on out now.”

Spike looked at Jennifer Giles, his stepmother anxiously, but the woman just nodded at him, “go on William,” she ordered firmly. “Doctor Wilkens and I, we’ll make sure Buffy is just fine.”

He had no choice but to turn and leave the room, he couldn’t fight them all.

When he got out of the claustrophobic room, he found his Father, Rupert, and his brothers, Angel and Connor waiting in the hallway nearby. Rupert Gile looked as if he’d been kicked by a horse, he was paler then usual and one would think it was him having the baby.

“Is Buffy all right, William?” he hurried over to his oldest son, “I wish we would have thought to have her move to town. At least the poor thing would have been closer to the Doctor.”

Spike shrugged in total defeat. If it was up to Spike Giles, he’d had have the baby himself to spare his Buffy from this pain and anguish that she was now enduring in the large guest room of his parent’s ranch house.

“Buffy’ll be fine,” he whispered as he lit a cigarette, his hands shook with anxiety, “she’s a tough little thing. Baby is just being stubborn, wants to make this last as long as it can before it makes it’s appearance Takes after it’s Mum, I’m thinking.”

Connor, Spike’s youngest brother looked sick with worry and Angel, his wild, free spirited brother looked even more concerned. The four men in the suddenly narrow hallway looked everywhere but at each other for a few moments.

‘Fucking silence is gonna’ make me go ‘round the bend,’ Spike thought anxiously. He sat on the divan that his stepmother had placed there, just for this moment and buried his head in his hands. Buffy hadn’t cried out in what seemed like an hour, which could be bad, or good, depending on how one looked at it.

“Son,” Rupert, who sat next to Spike, mumbled softly, “it’ll be okay, William. I know it.”

Spike looked up from his hands and stared at his Father, he knew the fear in his eyes betrayed him, “it has to be,” he groaned, hoarsely, “I won’t make it without Buffy, not now. Not ever.”

Angel and Connor, Spike noticed, gave each other nervous, worried glances and the hallway became silent once more. Spike could not bear it any longer and he was just about to go kick the bedroom door of his wife’s birthing room in.

Suddenly, there was a sound, so miraculous and wonderful that it broke the tense quiet of the hallway and made everything look right again. A baby’s cry broke through the air like an anthem of joy and success, or so Spike felt.

Before he could make it to the door, Jennifer slipped out of the room, grinning from ear to ear, “stay put William,” she giggled with a wink to her husband, Rupert, “it seems, according to Doctor Wilkens, that this is not over yet.”

With that, the Gile’s matriach disappeared back into the room and closed the door behind her.

Spike felt like a lost calf. He gave his Father a look of ‘what the hell do I do now and what the hell is going on?’ Rupert Giles appeared to be as clueless as his son, of course, Angel and Connor were of absolutely no help whatsoever.

“That’s it,” Spike growled, “I’m going in there no matter what the…”

Another lusty baby’s cry emitted from the behind the closed door and Spike had to be restrained by Angel and Connor to keep from breaking it down. Although it was only a minute or so, it seemed like hours to the four men in the hallway before Jennifer Gile’s came from the room, a huge smile on her face.

“Buffy’s ready to see you now, William,” she nodded at her stepson. “There’s two very beautiful little boys in there who want to meet their Daddy, too.”

Buffy lay in the sweat soaked bed, nearly unconscious from the recent ordeal. Jennifer had cleaned up the babies, immediately and lay them in their Mother’s arms, then went to fetch William.

“You look lovely, Buffy, dear,” Jennifer had smiled at her before she went out the door to the hallway.

‘Hmmm, I just bet,’ is all Buffy could manage to think as she placed the two hungry little mouths, one at each breast to have their first real world meal.

‘Gosh,’ Buffy thought with a start, ‘I hope I have enough milk for two?’

Will took that precise moment to burst into the room and race over to the bed to join the trio there.

“Buffy!” he cried as he flopped down on the bed next to her and embraced the Mother and their sons at once.

“You look like hell, William,” Buffy giggled, her voice was strained and exhausted.

“Thanks,” he mumbled into her neck, “you look beautiful Princess.”

“Well, have a look see at your twin heirs, William Giles,” Buffy instructed her husband.

Will pulled back and peered at his and Buffy’s little creations in awe. She watched her husband, carefully, wondering if he noticed that the babies were completely identical, at least for now. And beautiful, and wonderful and that they looked exactly like their Father.

“They are beautiful, baby,” Will whispered as he tweaked first one little baby cheek, then the other, gently. “They are truly miracles, our little ones. Two sides of a lovely, wonderful piece of artwork.”

Buffy saw the tears began to spill from her Will’s gorgeous blue eyes and smiled, “always the poet, Will,” she murmered lovingly.

William became very quiet, his face scrunched in puzzlement. “It’s just,” he began hesitantly, “we only picked out one name, Joyce, you were so sure it was a girl.”

Buffy broke out in exhausted laughter, “well I’m sure if we put both our heads together, we’ll think of two very good names for our sons,” she chortled.

“I think we should call this one,” Buffy nodded at the boy on her left, “William Rupert Giles, Jr. and…”

Spike leapt up from the bed and began to pace about the room, “like bloody hell we’re namin’ my son Jr.,” he paused his pacing and growled lowly.

Buffy gave him one of her irrisistable pouts and he softened a bit, “okay, William Rupert Giles, but no Jr.! First person, calls that kid Jr. and I’ll shoot myself!”

She grinned then scowled a little, “maybe we should name him William and the other baby Rupert for a first name?”

William Giles just glared at his beautiful, very smart wife in disbelief, “Buffy,” he began evenly, “if you name my Dad’s Grandson, Rupert, then my old man will shoot me.”

Buffy began to giggle again, “oh all right, you big baby,” she shook her head in exasperation. “How about we call them William Rupert Giles and Henry, or Hank Summers Giles?”

Spike paused to ponder the two names and decided he liked them well enough, “all right then,” he grinned and flopped back down on the bed next to his little family, “Will and Hank. Sounds right, doesn’t it?”

His wife smiled, as he embraced them again, and nodded, “love you,” she whispered to him, then looked down at their sons.

“Love you, too, and thank you, Princess. For everything,” Spike responded, placing a gentle kiss on Buffy’s cheek, then one on each of his newborn son’s foreheads.


A/N: Just a quick chapter to keep this flowing a bit. Did anyone catch the title and understand why I picked that date for the twins birth? Thanks for reading and please review. Only eight or so more chapters left. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 21: '1898' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM



Chapter 21: ‘1898’


Spike Giles was in the middle of mending the eastern fence of his ranch. ‘Bloody thing always breaks, same time, every fucking year,’ he mumbled as he held one end of the wood up to meet the other. ‘I swear to God,’ he continued his grumbling, ‘if I didn’t know better, I’d think that Will and Hank came out here same time, every year, just to muck up this part of the fence. Just to piss their old man off.’

He began to hammer the wood pieces together when he caught sight of a rider, on a familiar palomino horse, coming nearer to him by the second. The female rider’s honey blonde hair flew behind her in the wind as she neared him.

‘Oh, great,’ he mumbled as he tossed the hammer down on the ground next to him, and lit a cigarette, ‘Sarah and her Mum must be at it again.’

Once the young woman had reached her Father, she slid off of her horse, Cloud II, and stood up to him, a scowl on her lovely face.

Sarah Anya Giles was the image of her Mother, Buffy Giles, right down to her green eyes. She was taller then her Mum, of course, fifteen-year-old Sarah was. But, then so were Sarah’s younger brothers, Alexander, who was twelve and even the twin terrors, James and Joshua who had just turned nine-years-old. Only little Cynthia Anne, the baby at near seven was still shorter then their petite Mum, Buffy.

At the moment, green-eyed, honey blonde haired and every bit as stubborn as her Mother, Sarah Giles was glaring at her Dad, William ‘Spike’ Giles.

“You need to talk to Mama,” she ordered firmly as she flopped down on a huge rock by the broken fence, “and I mean immediately, Papa.”

Spike sighed and plopped down on the rock next to the one his oldest daughter occupied. “What now, Dutchess,” he asked in frustration, taking a drag from his smoke.

He had called his darling daughter, Dutchess since the day she was born, leaving the pet name of Princess for his wife, Buffy, as always. “Your Mum on you again, about the University in California?”

Sarah gave him a sorrowful little pout.

‘Christ,’ Spike thought with a chuckle, ‘she’s more like her Mother every day. Right down to the pout.’

“Papa,” Sarah began dramatically, “you just have to convince Mama that I do not want to go out to the wilds of California, to school that is. I am 15, almost 16 and well ready to settle down with…”

Spike raised his left, scarred brow, a habit he had never lost, “ready to what, Dutchess?” He asked with a smirk.

“You know, Daddy,” his daughter whimpered.

‘Oh,’ he thought, ‘so it’s Daddy now. Must be about the Osbourne boy in town.’

“Go ahead, darlin’ Sarah,” he chuckled as he lit another cigarette.

“You smoke too much,” Sarah said suddenly, with a frown.

‘Yup,’ Spike thought, ‘just like her Mum.’ “Sarah?” he asked evenly, a hint for his daughter to go on with her story.

“Well, Daddy,” she stammered, “you know that Daniel Osbourne and I, we have been serious about each other for nearly a year now and…”

Spike couldn’t help it, he broke out into a huge howl of laughter.

“This is hardly funny, Papa!” Sarah scowled again, “just because Mama is jealous, can’t stand the thought of her daughter marrying long before she did. After all, Daniel and I cannot help it that Mama was a spinster school teacher, nearly 20 when she came out here and, perhaps a bit stale in her ways…”

Spike eyed his daughter, thoughtfully, then tossed his cigarette to the ground. “So,” he drawled, his brows scrunched together in thought, “you really think your Mum is just being stubborn because she was a spinster?”

Sarah didn’t hesitate, she nodded at her Father with a smug smirk on her mouth.

‘Where the hell did she get that smirk?’ Spike asked himself, then… “Sarah, you’re almost 16, I think it’s time you had a little history lesson,” he began soberly. “One that they don’t teach you in your little readers at school.”

The daughter looked at her Father as if he had grown two heads, “if this is about Holden Webster and his train robber gang, Papa, I will just scream!” Sarah shook her honey blonde head and sighed, “we read about that in grade school, so please, just…”

Spike chuckled and shook his own graying head, “no Dutchess,” he laughed, “not just about ‘that’ but about your Mum, in general.”

Sarah gave her Father a ‘huh’ look, but nodded her head and settled on the rock to listen to him, for once, anyway.

“Your Mum,” Spike began hesitantly, “your Mum was really something when she got to the Wyoming Territory.” He half closed his blue eyes in remembrance of that epic day when his wife stepped off the Union Pacific and into his life.

“She certainly was no spinster school teacher, that was for sure,” he chuckled. “In fact, Sarah, my dear, your Mum was a young widow.” He nodded at his stunned daughter, “she was engaged at 16, married by 17 and widowed by 18.”

Sarah looked as she did when she discovered that there was really no Santa Claus… “Oh, Papa,” she cried sympathetically, “I’m so sorry that Mama did not love you first and…”

Spike laughed loudly, “your Mum’s first marriage was never any threat to me, Sarah,” he assured her. “It was an unhappy arrangement, could be why she’s not too keen on you marrying so young. Your Mum and her first husband were more friends then lovers, but that’s all we will say on it. It’s up to Mum to tell you everything, someday.”

Sarah nodded, but frowned again at her Father, “still,” she insisted stubbornly, “Daniel and I are ‘more’ then friends. We have been devoted to each other for years. After all, Papa, you and his Father, Daniel Sr., are best friends, right?”

Spike could not dispute this, he and the elder Daniel Osbourne had been friends for years. “Yes, Dutchess, we are, but I’m not sure that even my good friend Daniel would be too happy about his son marrying a fifteen-year-old girl.”

His daughter shook her head, “no, not now, we plan to marry next October, when I’m sixteen and ready.”

Spike raised that brow again, “ready to marry Dutchess?” She seemed to think about this for a minute.

“Uncle Connor and Aunt Dawn were not even eighteen when they married, Papa,” she pointed out with a victorious smile.

“True,” Spike agreed, “but your Uncle Connor had seen some ‘harsh’ truths by the time he whisked off to Tennessee and married the Bit, then spirited her back up here to Wyoming. Your Auntie Dawn, too. She had been out here, seen some things, done some things to grow up a bit.”

Sarah sighed dreamily, “yeah,” she acknowledged, “Uncle Conn and Aunt Dawn, they tried to run off and get married. Everybody knows that romantic story.”

‘Oh brother,’ Spike sighed inwardly. “No, Sarah,” he vocalized, “it wasn’t quite that romantic as you’d like to think. Your Uncle and Aunt were not near ready to marry, your Mum and I, your Grandad and Gran Jennifer, they knew it too. It was that little stunt, led to your Mum goin’ off, half cocked to the school house that day. Got her caught up by Holden Webster and that brother of his.”

Sarah snorted, very unladylike, “oh, please, Papa,” she hissed, “not the old, Mama gets taken by the Webster gang, goes up to the bluffs and then you rescue her. I hear that one again and I’ll take a gun to…”

Spike had heard quite enough, thank you, “Sarah Anya Giles,” he said harshly, “I’ll hear no talk of you’ll do this or that. You might think of your Mum’s horrible experience as a bit of a Holiday or something, but it was far more then that. You little brats at the Cheyenne School House never got the full story of those awful hours that Webster and his bunch of bloody bastards took my Buffy from me!”

Sarah stared at her Father, stunned by his outburst (though God knows why she should be!) and horrified by his cursing.

“Papa!” she scolded, “Mama would be horrified to hear you speak that way in front of me.”

Spike snorted himself this time, “hardly,” he growled at his daughter. “Oh Sarah, you just aren’t ready to marry and there’s a million reasons why. To start, those readers in school, the town lore, do they tell you what really happened that time when Webster took your Mother? Do they tell you that she fought him off, kept him from raping her, with the help of his own sister on Mum’s side? Then, when we did get your Mum back, thank God, after I’d taken her to Grandad’s ranch, I went back and helped massacre the whole damn bunch of them. Christ Sarah, I put the bullet through Holden Webster’s head myself.”

His daughter looked horrified, apparently, the readers about the local history had conveniently left out some very important details.

“It’s more then just that, Sarah,” Spike continued strongly, “your Mum came out here to get a new start in life.”

“It’s just,” Sarah hesitated, carefully choosing her next words wisely, “that Mama is so darn set in her ways, so stodgey and all.”


Spike bolted up from the rock and stared at his daughter, shocked. “Set in her ways? Stodgey?” he choked. “Sarah, your Mum hasn’t a stodgey, set bone in her body. She came out here, a young widow, to start a new life. Do you think it was easy for her? She could have had any man she wanted back in Tennessee, even if she was a widow. Your Grandad Hank told me so, a hundred times and I know it’s true. Mum came here, thank God, to find a new life and take a chance. She came here, to me, Sarah, to fill my empty life with love and a future for us all. If she hadn’t…”

He felt his throat tighten up and it was suddenly hard to breathe, “if your Mum hadn’t come here to me. I’d be lost, Sarah, without your Mum.” His daughter gave him a look, a Buffy look, he realized, ‘Jesus, she looks just like her Mum.’

“Sarah, your Mum just wants you to have a chance in life, a real chance to experience some of the world. See the world, or at least some of this Country. Berkeley University, in California, it’s supposed to be right up there with Harvard and Yale. Your Mum was so pleased when the school said it would take a look at you. Think of it, Sarah, a Summers/Giles female, at a major University? Can’t you see why your Mum wants this for you. Or, at least for you to check it out, the school and all. We could all go out to California, Mum, me, your brothers and sister. Take a nice holiday, God knows your Mum deserves it. Your Uncle Angel and Aunt Winnefred would love it if we stopped by Salinas and saw them at their farm. I know Mum wants to stop and see the Harris brood by Sunnydale and view the Winery they’ve set up there.”

Sarah scrunched up her face again, “why did Uncle Xander and Aunt Anya take Beth and Zach to California years ago, Papa?” she asked, abruptly changing the subject, Spike noticed.

“Well, Dutchess,” Spike stammered, “it’s something your Mum should probably explain to you. But for now, we’ll just say that Xander and Anya thought it best for Beth and Zach to grow up in a new place. Near killed your Mum, though,” he sighed, “she adored Anya, admired Xander. However, they’ve kept in contact, and like I said, it would be nice to take a Holiday, stop by to see them and their brats out there. Mean the the world to your Mum.”

Sarah seemed to ponder this scenario and smiled softly. “Besides,” Spike added, lighting another cigarette, “Daniel will be here, when you get back. He’ll wait, Sarah, I am sure of it.”

“In the meantime,” Spike stood up from the rock and picked up the hammer, “you get on back to the house. Tell your Mum that I’ll be home in an hour or so.”

He turned to complete his task, then glanced back at his oldest daughter when he heard a sniffle from her. She had risen from her rock too and stood staring off at the house her father had built her mother, years before.

“She really is something, isn’t she Papa? Mama I mean.” Sarah smiled at her Father proudly.

“That she is,” he nodded, “best thing that ever happened to me,” he added with a grin. “Now, get home and tell your Mum I’ll be in soon. In fact,” Spike stopped his work and thought for a moment.

“You go on home, tell your Mum that I told you to gather up your siblings and head on over to Grandpa’s place. I want to have a night alone with your Mum. Take the Cook with you, your Mum and me, we want to be alone.” He chuckled heartily and went back to work on the fence.

“I’ll tell Mama,” Sarah responded with a giggle, “I’m sure she won’t object, Daddy.”


‘Following is the first official archive of the Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers-Giles and William ‘Spike’ Giles issue:


Buffy and Spike Giles: Married December 4th, 1881

William Rupert Giles (never to be called Jr.!) Born August 20th, 1882

Hank Summers Giles : Born August 20th, 1882

Sarah Anya Giles: Born September 9th, 1883

Baby Giles: Lost to Us April, 1884

Alexander Giles: Born February 7th, 1886

James Henry Giles: Born September 23rd, 1888
Joshua Warren Giles: Born September 23rd, 1888

Cynthia Anne Giles: Born January 11th, 1892


A/N: There is definitely more. Just hope everyone wants to read it! Thank you so much for your loyalty, everyone! Please review. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 22: '1899' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 22: ‘1899’


Now, Buffy Summers Giles had seen the ocean, well, the Atlantic Ocean that is. Her husband of almost nineteen years, William, had seen the Atlantic Ocean from the other side, by London, England when he was a young man.

However, their children, all seven of them, from Will, the first born, through Hank, Will’s twin, to Sarah, then Alex(ander), twins, James and Joshua, then precious little Cynthia, none of their, Buffy’s and William’s offspring had ever seen anything quite so ‘huge’ and magnificent as the Pacific Ocean.

They certainly were seeing it now, in all of it’s glory as the blue- green waves crashed against the California shore. Buffy sat on the sand, on a huge quilt that Anya, her very good friend had furnished for the picnic that the Giles and Harris family were on, together, at the ocean shore, just outside of Sunnydale. Buffy, Mother to Hank Summers Giles watched, as her second born son, just by minutes, chased a squealing, comely, Beth Harris about by the water’s edge.

“They get on good, huh, Buffy?” Anya, Beth’s Mother, asked happily.

“Yes, Anya,” Buffy giggled, “our children get on very good together.”

Buffy was not naïve, or blind, her seventeen-year-old son Hank and Beth, just a little older then him, had hit it off the minute they met each other again, here in Sunnydale, California. The William Giles family, all nine of them, along with Connor and Dawn, and their three children, Joyce, Connor Jr., and Jennifer, had traveled out to California for Holiday.

That and to go up to Salinas, California, to visit with Uncle Angel and his wife of ten years, Winnefred, and their child, Liam Alexander Giles. Of course, this was all just a stepping stone to the real goal, Berkeley, California and the Academic University that was located there. The one that Buffy had dreamed of, hoped for her oldest daughter, Sarah.

“What are you plotting, Buffy luv,” Spike Gile’s flopped down on the quilt, next to his still beautiful wife.

“Oh, nothing,” she sang, saucily, “just a little matchmaking, for our son, Hank and my Bethie.”

He watched the happy light on his Princess’s face, the one that had mesmerized him years before and kept him entranced, even now.

“Xander,” Anya chirped happily, “wouldn’t it be great if Hank and Beth made a match? We’d all be related by marriage and those high and mighty folks, back in Cheyenne would just turn green with envy, huh?”

Xander’s wife was all a flitter at the happy thought, but her husband scowled at her, “Anya, honey,” he cooed, “the kids need to decide these things for themselves.”

Buffy noticed that Xander gave his wife a loving look, however, then glanced over at his darling daughter as she screamed in delight when Hank tossed her from his arms, into the Pacific Ocean.

“I believe, Zachary Harris, that you are flirting with me,” Buffy heard her daughter, Sarah huff in mock indignation at Xander and Anya’s second born child. Sarah and Zach were close by the adults, half sitting, half laying on a blanket of their own, watching their siblings play by the water’s edge.

“Believe what you want, Sarah Giles,” the dark haired Zach Harris, a copy of his father, Xander, chuckled loudly, “I’m willing to bet, that by sunset, you’ll be lettin’ me hold your hand, at least, huh? If not,” the boy shrugged with false indifference, “your cousin, Joyce, looks appealing enough, maybe I’ll try my luck with her?”

William Giles Sr. gave his wife a ‘what the bloody hell’ look, his left, scarred brow raised in puzzlement. “Least the boy could be a little less loud, more discreet,” Buffy’s husband pursed his still lovely lips together, his brows now scrunched in dissaproval.

“Oh, yeah,” Buffy giggled girlishly, “because you were the epitome of discretion where ‘our’ courting was concerned, Will Giles.”

Her husband scowled at Buffy, then broke into a charming grin, “made you scream a few times, Princess,” he whispered as he slapped her bottom, affectionately.

“A few?” she chuckled, “I’d say more then a few times, Will, you…”

Dawn Giles hissed in dissaproval, “oh pulease,” she groaned, “we don’t need to hear about the love life of Buffy and Spike Giles. We all have had to watch you two, mooning over each other like a couple of newlyweds for years. It’s really…”

“Mum,” William Giles, the heir apparent, came tripping up to the group on the quilt, “I think we’d better face facts, Mum, Dad,” he laughed heartily. “Our Hank is in love, no question, with the lovely Beth Harris. Who wants to lay odds that they’ll be married before the year is over?”

‘Always the gambler, my son Will,’ Spike chuckled to himself. “I’ll take that bet, son,” he reached in his pocket and tossed a twenty to his oldest boy.

“Me too, Connor piped up and met his oldest, adored brother’s twenty.

“I’m in,” Xander put his own bill in the pot.

“Uhm, honey,” Buffy stammered at her husband, “isn’t it only a real bet if there’s some actual question on the odds? I mean, let’s face it, this ‘thing’ between our Hank and Beth, seems like a pretty sure thing to me. Or am I wrong?”

Spike grinned at his beloved wife with devoted affection, “baby,” he purred, “you are never wrong.”

The adults that sat on the quilt watched at their respective tribes of offspring frolicked about the shore and water. Buffy smiled in contentment as she gazed at her son Hank and Beth, pretending to be just friends as they played in and around the ocean’s water.

‘I’m losing him’ Buffy reasoned about her Hank, a little saddened, ‘I’m betting he won’t even be going back with us to Wyoming, when we go.’

Something that her husband, William, had said years before to her, echoed in her mind… “we Giles men, when we really fall in true love…it’s fast, hard and forever.” It was something like that anyway, and it was true, Buffy knew this. William had fallen for her, just like that.

Then Connor for her sister, Dawn and everyone knew about the Rupert/Jennifer story from years before. Why should it be any different with Hank…he was a Giles, through and through.

Buffy glanced over at her daughter, Sarah and Zach Harris, huddled close together on the blanket. ‘Poor Daniel Osbourne,’ Buffy thought, a little guiltily, ‘I do believe that Sarah is quite taken with Zach Harris.’

“Where’s the grub?” Jesse Harris, the youngest son of Xander and Anya chimed in as he ran up to the group of adults. “Me and the twins (James and Joshua Giles) are starved.” At only ten, young Jesse Harris was already quite tall for his age and looked exactly like his father, Xander.

“We’ll eat in good time,” Anya warned her boy, sternly, causing Buffy to grin. “In the mean time,” she continued, “you use proper grammer young man. You weren’t born in a barn you know.” Anya had proved to be a formidable mother of four; two boys, Zachary and Jesse, and two girls; Elizabeth ‘Beth’ and Kristen. She kept her children and their father in line, with discipline, kindness and of course, love.

“When will we be leaving for Salinas,” Dawn piped up, oblivous to the matchmaking going on about her.

“Day after tomorrow, Bit,” Spike responded lazily, “train goes straight through to Salinas. Old Angel, he’ll be a the station, waiting on us, I suppose.”

Connor grinned in anticipation to see his older brother again, it had been a few years since Angel had taken his wife and only child, Liam, to Salinas to try farming. He’d done a good job, made quite a farm for himself and his family. Winnefred, Angel’s wife, proved to be a God send to the lonely middle son of Rupert Giles. She had arrived in Cheyenne, a couple of years after Buffy had given up teaching for good, after Sarah was born.

As the new school teacher, Winnefred had proved to be a good instructor, but an even better influence on the wild and unpredictable Angel Giles. It took long enough, but Angel finally talked Winnefred into marrying him and they wed ten years earlier, in Denver, of all places.

Spike watched his son Hank lead Beth Harris, by her hand, of course, up to where the rest of the group congregated on the sand.

“Dad,” Hank began shyly, “I was wondering, if,well, if when you and the others went up to Salinas, to see Uncle Angel. Would it be okay if I stayed and maybe spent more time with the Harris’s, that is if it’s okay with Beth’s folks and all? I’d like to learn about the winery, more that is.”

The Gile’s patriach raised his scarred left brow at his son, who, for a twin, was not an exact replica of his minutes older brother, Will.

‘Hank looks more like my Dad,’ he mused, ‘then Will or me. Will’s a mirror reflection of me, though.’

“Well, son,” Spike said before he thought for a moment and turned to his wife, Buffy, for some input. “Your Mum and I, we kind of thought you’d like to see the North part of California. See some sights and all, but…”

Xander Harris stopped eating a piece of chicken his wife had made and chimed in, “if you don’t mind, Spike, Buffy, maybe Beth can accompany you all up North. She’s never been, might do her some good to check out the State, too?”

Buffy glanced at her son, Hank, took in his wide, blue eyes and smile, ‘he looks like Rupert Giles,’ she mused, ‘but with my Will’s gorgeous eyes.’

Then, Buffy looked over at her lovely Bethie, she’d brought that child into the world and had always felt a strong bond to her. ‘The look in my Beth’s eyes,’ Buffy noted, a tug at her heart, ‘it’s such a hopeful, yearning look. Reminds me of her Mother’s, years ago, back in the school house on the first day we met. She wanted to learn her letters, to please Xander and…’

Buffy broke her own reverie and stated quite simply, “of course Beth can join us on the trip. It would do her some good to travel and see some things. Besides, I am not sure if we could pry Hank and her apart for that long, so, she simply must come with.”

Everyone in the group broke out in peals of laughter, especially when Beth threw herself into Hank’s arms and nearly knocked him down into the sand.

The train chugged, rather slowly for Spike’s taste, up the coast of the great State of California.

“So,” Alexander Giles got his Father’s attention, “how long until we’re in Salinas, Pops?”

Spike gave his son a patient if stern look, “are you ever going to call me Father, or at least Dad, Alex,” he grumbled. “Pops makes me sound like some, well I don’t know what, but it sounds bloody ridiculous to me.”

Buffy elbowed her husband, next to her, lightly, “William,” she hissed, “if you use the word ‘bloody’ one more time in front of our innocent children, I’ll…”

James, who was nine, along with his twin, Joshua, laughed loudly, “Mom, I think the first word from our mouth was ‘bloody’ wasn’t it? Probably too late to take it back now.”

Spike glanced at his wife and gave her his most charming grin, “yeah, Mom, bit late to try and change this old bum now, isn’t it?”

Buffy sighed in exasperation but grinned at her man anyway. “Old, maybe,” she giggled merrily and squeezed Spike’s hand that held hers, “but never a bum, Will. Not ever.”

Then she leaned over and kissed Spike’s cheek, tenderly, causing him to grin even wider.

“Oh for the love of Pete,” sighed Dawn, who sat with Connor across from them, “this is just too hokey for words.” Dawn rolled her eyes at her neice, Sarah, who in turn gave her Auntie Dawn a huge smile.

“I think it’s lovely,” Sarah sighed, dreamily, “Mummy and Daddy are like two newlyweds. I believe they always will be,” she added warmly.


A/N: Well, that was a short one. Thanks for reading this and review if you like. Luv and Peace, Spuf
Chapter 23: '1902' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 23: ‘1902’


Buffy Summers Giles hurried into the Union Pacific Railway station to receive her letters from California. From Sunnydale, California that is.

Daniel Osbourne, the younger one, was behind the desk, apparently sitting in for his father, Daniel Sr.

“How’s your Mother, Daniel,” Buffy asked warmly as she patted the young man’s arm.

“She’s fine Mrs. Giles,” Daniel answered simply, “busy helping Joyce pick out baby things, of course.”

Although it still seemed a bit strange to Buffy, she found the current events about her to be happy ones, full of promise and hope. When her own daughter, Sarah, had left for Berkeley, California to attend college, Buffy was more then aware that the girl’s infatuation with young Daniel would probably fizzle out, and soon. It had. Which, turned out to be fine in the long run.

Sarah had just graduated a couple of months before and joined her brother Hank and his wife Beth Harris Giles in Sunnydale. For a while, anyway, until after Hank and Beth’s baby was born. Of course, Sarah was moving back to Cheyenne (her idea and her new husband’s to be, Zachary Harris), as soon as possible. Buffy just wished that Hank and Beth could be persuaded to bring the babies and come back, but…

“How is my neice doing with the last stages of pregnancy, Daniel?” Buffy asked with true interest, “it’s so rare I get into town anymore, but when I do, I see your Mother and Joyce way too little.”

Daniel Osbourne had pluckily went on after Sarah had unceremoniously broken off her engagement to him. That took place right after Zach Harris had high tailed it up to Salinas, California ‘to help’ Angel Giles on his farm. Salinas, which was much closer to Berkeley then Sunnydale was, made it quite nice for Sarah and Zack to court. The rest, as one could say, was Giles/Harris history.

The younger Daniel Osbourne immediately found comfort with Joyce Giles, Buffy’s little sister, Dawn and Connor’s oldest daughter. They had married the year before, and now, a baby was due at any time. All in all, the Giles family was making quite the mark in Wyoming history and now, in California’s also. Buffy could not have been happier, prouder or more content.

“Oh, Joyce is fine, Mrs. Giles,” Daniel grinned, a replica of his father’s happy smile. “But, I’m thinking that you came for your wire and some mail I just received for you. Feel’s like there’s a picture or two in the package. Those twin’s of Hank’s, you and Mr. Giles must be so proud.”

Buffy reached for the package that held the news and pictures of her first grandbabies, “more then either of us could say, Daniel,” she smiled affectionately and ripped the paper open. Five pictures tumbled from the package onto the station desk. Buffy grabbed them up quickly and began to peruse through them, “oh look!” she cried happily, “it is pictures of little Alexander William and Elizabeth Anne!”

The new grandmother rifled through the pictures, tears forming quickly in her still emerald green eyes. “Will’s going to kill me, for sure,” she giggled to Daniel, wickedly, “for opening the package and seeing the twin’s pictures first! Not waiting for him! He’s over at the Mercantile and I was supposed to wait for him…oh well, he’d have done the same thing!” Buffy laughed merrily as she looked again at her two beautiful grandchildren.

“Oh, I’m sure he’ll understand, Mrs. Gile’s,” Daniel chuckled along with her.

“Daniel,” Buffy finally stopped giggling and looked at the young man, evenly, “please at least call me Aunt Buffy, I mean you are my neice’s husband?”

Daniel blushed profusely, his face matching his red hair, just like his father’s. “Yes, Maam,” he stammered, “I’ll try.”

The station door opened and William Rupert Giles, Jr., sauntered into the station. “Dad’s havin’ a fit, Mum,” he grinned at his Mother then at Daniel, “says he knows what you’re up to and if you opened the mail without him, he’s going to spank your arse, just like he used to and…”

It was Buffy’s turn to blush, “oh, he is, is he?” she huffed, but smiled despite herself. The door opened once more, but it wasn’t William Giles, Sr. that came through it.

“Buffy Summers?” came the distinct, once familiar flat tone of a voice that could only belong to Riley Finn.

“Riley?” Buffy gasped in surprise. The man was grayer then her William was, and didn’t seem near so tall as he used to. “What are you doing up here, Riley,” she asked evenly, “we thought you were still in Denver. You’re Sheriff down there now, right?” Riley grinned and nodded, “yeah, I am. Just came up to visit the old place, see what’s changed, and hasn’t. My God,” Riley grumbled as he caught sight of William, Jr., “you’re the spittin’ image of your old man, boy.”

The younger Giles gave the man a dubious once over and smirked, “oh, so you’re the one, lost my Mum to my Dad?” Buffy rolled her eyes and pointed to her son, “yes, Riley,” she smiled patiently, “my oldest son ‘is’ the mirror of his Father, in many ways.”

“Are you the one, the twin that married that Harris girl, out in California,” Riley spat as he gave Buffy’s son the once over, himself, rather smugly, Buffy felt.

“No,” William replied, somewhat politely, a bit too politely for Buffy’s taste. ‘Pompous as ever, aren’t you Riley,’ she thought to herself.

“That’d be my little brother, Hank,” William, Jr. explained proudly, “him and Bethie just made my folks grandparents. Twins, like their Dad and me, boy and a girl. Hank is partners with old Xander out at his winery, out in California.”

Buffy patted her son’s arm, “actually, Riley,” she grinned in wicked anticipation, of the old fool’s reaction, “my William, here, is engaged to the daughter of an old friend of yours. Reverend Montgomery’s oldest daughter, Alice. They’re to be married, this next Spring.”

Riley Finn looked as if he’d swallowed something bad tasting, “I guess a lot has changed since I left, huh?”

The station door opened, once more, and Spike Giles stepped through into the medium sized building.

“Oh, bloody hell,” he hissed loudly, “Deputy Finn.” Spike decided to take the higher ground and immediately offer his hand to the taller man, after all, Buffy ‘had’ chosen him, hadn’t she?

“Well, well, look what blew into Cheyenne, Deputy Finn, or I mean Sheriff Finn, isn’t it?”

Riley gave Spike a look of total disdain, but shook his hand anyway. ‘Still ain’t over it, are you, you bloody moron?’ Spike mused silently.

“Hello, Giles,” Riley mumbled, but looked at Buffy. “Well,” the Sheriff grinned, kind of, “I see you’re as gray as me, huh, Spike?”

Even though he could swear that his wife groaned, audibly, Spike smirked and winked, “yeah, I’m gray as can be, Finn. But just look at my Buffy, isn’t she as beautiful as the day that ‘I’ married her?”

Riley gave Spike a sour look, but then nodded in agreement, “yes, Spike,” he sighed wistfully, “Buffy is as lovely as ever. I guess marriage and children, and now grandchildren have agreed with her.”

“I expect there’ll be more grandchildren in the near future, Riley,” Spike had to smirk at Buffy’s crowing. “Our Sarah is to marry Zachary Harris, next month, right here in Cheyenne. Zachary is going to work with Connor at his Dad’s ranch and Sarah is going to run the Library, here in Cheyenne.

“You know,” Buffy smiled, charmingly, “my darling Will and I,” Spike felt like a million dollars when Buffy took his arm, lovingly, “we helped establish the Public Library. First of it’s kind in the whole Territory, then the State.”

Spike could only grin, smugly, at the old fool, Finn, who stood, stammering in front of him and his wife. “My Mother, Joyce Summers is living in our guest house now, on our own ranch,” Buffy continued brashly bragging to Riley. Papa passed on a couple of years ago,” Spike felt Buffy flinch, just a bit, “so Will insisted Mama move out with us. She just loves Wyoming and adores my Will. And all of her grandchildren and now, great-grandchildren.”

Now, Spike had to blush, Buffy was looking at him as if he were a God or something and it did ‘kind of’ embarrass him. Kind of, that is.

“Buffy, luv,” Will smiled at her, lovingly, “we best get going home. Promised, Cindy I’d let her break in the new pony, can’t let my little girl down, can I?”

Buffy paused from her bragging and gazed, lovingly, at her husband of over twenty years, “no, Will,” she murmered as she brushed his graying hair behind his ear, “you would never, ever let our Cindy down. Or any of us.”

She couldn’t help it, Buffy stood up on her tippy toes and kissed her husband right on the mouth, right there in front of their oldest son, William, Jr., Daniel Osbourne and even Riley Finn. This bold little maneuver did not surprise William Giles, Sr., he was used to his wife by now, but Daniel Osbourne did chuckle and Riley actually seemed to snort.

“Well, see you around Finn,” William took his wife’s arm in his and led her through the door.

“Thanks, Daniel,” Buffy called back, over her shoulder, “tell Joyce and Willow, I’ll be in town soon, see to them.”

“He’s as ridiculous as ever you know?” Buffy whispered in her husband’s ear as they rode out of town in the buckboard, their son, on Buck, his horse nearby.

“Riley, I mean,” Buffy chuckled, “he’s as pompous and foolish as ever. Dear Lord, Will,” she sighed as she shook her head in disbelief, “what could I have ever been thinking, letting that man within a mile of me, once.”

Spike chuckled gleefully, “oh, hell, Baby, Riley Finn was never a serious threat to me. Besides, if you hadn’t come to your senses, and soon, I’d have just shot that damn ponce and been done with it. Of course,” he added, thoughtfully, “I’d have swung for it, but it would have been worth it. No way in hell was I going to lose you to Riley Finn.”

Spike’s Princess, Buffy, giggled, like a much younger woman, like the one that stepped off a train, over twenty years ago and into his life.

“Thank you,” Buffy whispered as she snuggled up against Spike, even closer, “thank you for loving me, my Old Man.”


A/N: Well, wanted to move this up a few years and show what’s happened to the Giles clan, a little anyway. If you read further, I’m going to give a little history of some of our fave characters. In the meantime, please read and review. This is my labour of love! Thanks, Luv, Spuf

William and Buffy Giles: Of course, we’ve seen what they’ve been up to. Seven children, two grandchildren. William Jr. is engaged to Alice Montgomery (how’s that for a surprise!) who is of course, Caleb and Anne Montgomery’s daughter. Sarah is marrying Zachary Harris, who is coming to live at the Gile’s ranch, soon.

Daniel and Willow Osbourne: Have two children, Daniel and Tara (named after you know who). Young Daniel married Joyce Giles, Connor and Dawn’s first child. Young Tara is married to Samuel Rayne.

Saul and Tara Rosenberg: Tara helped raise Saul’s two children from his first marriage, Johnathan and Rachael. They are now married and have children of their own. Saul is still running the Mercantile, while Tara has become quite the ‘lady’ of Cheyenne.

Angel and Winnefred Giles: Their son, Liam, newest child, Jennifer still live in Salinas and run a successful farm.

Ethan and Cordelia Rayne: Ethan Rayne, Jr. went to Yale, excelled in law and practices in New York City. Alise, their only daughter, married Tommy Jenkins back in 1894. They have three children. We know, of course, what became of Samuel, oh, he is a blacksmith in Cheyenne. Ethan just enjoys being at home, which is good, because his wife Cordelia is the first female Mayor of Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Andrew Snyder: Went on to become quite the bank manager and finally got up the courage to court Sandy Jenkins. Who, he finally got up the courage to ask to marry him…she did.

AAN: This is not the end, however, this will probably be the last truly ‘unangstsy’ chapter. In upcoming chapters, there will be angst and loss, as is true to life. Please stick with the story. It means so much to me.

Luv, Spuf
Chapter 24: '1906' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 24: ‘1906’


‘Time: April 12th, 1906


“Hank…” Spike Giles greeted his son, in Sunnydale, California, on the other end of the telephone. Buffy had insisted they have the bloody thing installed, finally, a couple of years before, “we’re so behind the times, Will,” she had actually whined a bit. No, make that a lot, but then it was okay, because she had convinced him by other means then begging for the damn contraption. Spike smiled, slightly, at the memory of just how Buffy got her way ‘that’ time, then he remembered why he was calling his son, Hank Summers Giles out in California.

“Dad,” Hank responded anxiously, “what is it? You sound upset. Mom,” the young man mumbled nervously, “is she all right?”

Spike felt his throat tighten, again, a pain shot through his body, “yeah, son, Mum’s fine…it’s your Grand Dad Giles. He passed away, this morning, around 3:00 AM. I…”

Spike felt the tears spill from his eyes, his voice was shakey and full of emotion as he tried to explain this horrendous loss to his boy.

“Grand Dad, you know,” he whispered, barely audibly, he realized, “he was sick for a while now. Never got over that pneumonia he caught last winter. Didn’t want to worry you, unneccessarily. He’d been so sick the last week, Doctor Wilkens, the son that is, he said that my Dad was…”

Spike broke down and began to sob uncontrollably. He hadn’t felt such a loss, ever, well, not since Buffy lost the poor little baby back in 1884. His own Mother had died in birth with him, so he never really knew her.

“Let me have the phone, dear,” Buffy murmered as she took the receiver in one hand, then placed her free arm about her husband’s still strong shoulders.

“Hank, we’ve lost him. Grand Dad Giles, passed on this morning, in his big bed. It’s how he would have wanted it son, going in his own bed, with Jennifer close by. No, Dad’s not doing well at all, none of us are, really, son. I want you to come home, Hank, you and Bethie, bring Anya and the babies, Xander too.

All of you must come for Dad’s service, stay on for a while. Please Hank, your Dad and I, we need you here, as soon as possible. Angel, Winnefred and the kids are coming, by train, of course, immediately. Please get a train out here, today, if possible. We will hold the services for you all.”

Buffy hung up the phone and placed her other arm around Will’s shaking shoulders.

“God, Buffy,” he cried into her neck, “I was a lousy son, wasn’t I? I mean…”

She cooed softly and patted her man’s back, like she would a sobbing child. “Like hell you were a bad son, William Giles. You ‘are’ a wonderful son, father and grandfather. You’re an even better husband and your Father loved you so much, maybe most of all of his kids. In a different way, I think. You’ve always been so much like him, you know, Will?”

Buffy led William to a nearby chair in the kitchen and sat him down, then slipped onto his lap, gently. She pulled his head back into her chest and continued to stroke his silver hair lovingly.

“Dad Giles loved you so much that he orchestrated our whole meeting, yours and mine, planned our whole courtship, I bet. He knew, right off, that you and me, we were meant to be together. Carry on the Giles’ dynasty and all. Why I bet he’s up there, right now, with my Papa, laughing about how ‘they’ pulled the whole thing off, by themselves and…”

She chuckled softly, even as her own tiny tears slipped out of her still emerald green eyes.

“He was such a good man, Will,” she continued, softly as she let her tears fall down her cheeks. “That’s only one of the ways you are so much like your Father. You handle your family, your life, me, in such a strong, but gracefully loving manner. Your Dad was the same way.”

Buffy paused for a minute to lift Will’s head up, so they could look into each other’s eyes. “You know,” she whispered, running her slim fingers down his cheek, “I thank God every day your Father talked me into coming out here, to teach.”

She chuckled again, through her tears, bringing a smile to her Will’s mouth. He wiped at his tears and nodded, “me too,” he replied shakily.

“I’ll never forget when Dad,” Will grinned this time, “when he asked me what I intended on doing about you and Riley Finn. Asked me what wedding present that we all should get for you two.” he finished with a combination of a scowl and smirk.

“Oh, Riley,” Buffy tsked, “that fool was never any threat to you and me, Will. You know that, as I chose you. Besides, you got the girl, right?”

Spike grinned again, despite his tears and sorrow, “yeah, well, took you long enough to decide to marry me, Princess,” he smirked again. “Dad was about to send me out to shoot, Riley, the son-of-a…”

Buffy gave him one of her warning looks, then smiled warmly at him.

‘She’s still beautiful,’ Spike mused as he wiped a tear from her cheek, tenderly.

“Remember when he was so angry about Connor and Dawnie’s botched elopement? Took Angel and Gunn to track them down?” Buffy laughed out right.

“Yeah,” Spike joined in her laughter, “then when Connor informed him, back in ‘83’ that he intended to go to Tennessee and ‘whisk’ the Bit away, for his bride. Dad just threw up his hands in defeat and said ‘oh, just go and bloody hell do it already, I give up!”

His Buffy giggled, a still delightful sound to his ears, then she grew serious again. “When you brought me down from the bluff, when Holden Webster took me away from you. Oh, Will,” she began to cry again, “Dad Giles was there, waiting for you to bring me to safety. I never forgot, never, how he got all the money together, to save me, save us, our love. I loved him too, Will,” she began to sob uncontrollably, “and you’re you, because of him.”

Spike clasped his love to him, her tiny body shook with emotion against him, “it’s because of him,” he rasped, this time he stroked her golden head, lovingly, “and you, Baby,” he added honestly.

The sorrowful group from California arrived within twenty-four hours of each other. Hank and his family, Anya and Xander included, arrived on April 16th while Angel Giles, Winnefred, young Liam and Jenny got to Cheyenne on the 17th.

“Would’ve been here yesterday,” Angel Giles explained sadly, “had to cancel a buying trip, into San Francisco. Took some time to fix that up, so sorry we didn’t get here sooner but…” then the tall, dark haired man broke into tears in Jennifer, his Mother’s, arms.

“Dad would understand, Angel,” Jennifer comforted her oldest biological son, “I’m just glad you’re here. All of you,” the Gile’s Matriach smiled at the rather large group of people gathered at the train station.

“Good Lord,” Buffy exclaimed, “there’s enough of us here to build an entire army!”

They buried Rupert William Giles in the family cemetary, located just on the edge of the South 40 area of his beloved ranch. It was early morning, near 9:00 AM on the 18th day of April, 1906, that the Giles’ Patriach was laid to rest on his precious land. All of his family, his wife, children, except Drusilla and her husband, their children and grandchildren were in attendance.

Half of the State of Wyoming seemed to be there, including Rupert’s loyal ranch hands, Charles Gunn, Ford, with his wife and children and all the others. Ethan Rayne had driven his wife, Cordy and their own families out in one of those new automobiles, as they were called. Daniel, Willow, their son and daughter, grandchildren, all followed in an old fashioned buckboard.

Various people, from all walks of life came out to the Gile’s Ranch to see the ‘Grand Old Man’ off, with respect and love, always love. Reverend Caleb Montgomery gave the Eulogy for Rupert Giles, even as he held his twin granddaughters, Anne and Elizabeth Giles in his arms.

Later, as the funeral attendees lunched on a fine meal at the Gile’s Ranch, they spoke fondly of Rupert Giles. Jennifer had held up well, Buffy felt, even if the rest of the family was falling apart, emotionally.

William, Buffy’s husband, sat next to his wife, holding her hand in his, ‘always did feel so right,’ she thought to herself, about their hand holding.

“He was always so proud of you, us, all of us, dear,” she murmered to Will, lovingly.

Buffy’s man just nodded and smiled, but leaned in to give her a quick kiss on her lips. Will seemed to pause for a moment, after the kiss, in thought.

“I’m thinking, luv,” he whispered, seriously, “that maybe, just maybe, we should see about one of those automobiles. I could learn to drive, Ethan Rayne says…”

Buffy rolled her eyes, “don’t even think it, Old Man,” she groaned, “I’ll depend on a horse and buggy, or my own two good legs to get about.”

William pouted, then grinned at Buffy, “you’re right,” he chuckled, “but I’d say your legs are more ‘great’ not just good.”

The phone in the Gile’s kitchen rang, shrilly, and Connor Giles rose from his seat to take the call.

“What!” Spike heard his little brother exclaim. “Wait, I can’t quite hear you,” Connor continued excitedly. A great commotion began in the kitchen and Spike pulled his Buffy with him to join his brother.

“No, it couldn’t be!” they heard Connor cry. Finally, the youngest Gile’s brother slowly hung the receiver of the phone up. “Jesus, Spike,” Connor gasped in disbelief, “that was young Daniel Osbourne. He went back to work, after Dad’s service. My God, you’ll never guess…”

Spike was totally confused, “what is it Conn,” he asked in concern.

“It’s California,” Connor gasped, “My God, there was a ‘shaker’ out there, this morning. Huge, up in San Francisco. Damn thing wiped out half the town and surrounding areas. The whole city is in an upheaval, like I said. Most of the buildings fell, or burned down in the aftermath. Tons of folks are dead or missing. Daniel says it hit Salinas, too, Angel, his house might be gone completely!”

Angel Giles had joined the rest of the family in the kitchen. “What the hell?” he gasped himself, “an earthquake? Can’t be, they’re never so big as to shake the whole of San Francisco apart. Tornados are worse then quakes, any day of the week. I can’t believe it, all of Frisco is gone?”

Connor shook his head, “not all, but most of it, according to Daniel. Damn city just fell apart, then I guess some fire started, it’s what did most of the damage.”

Buffy watched her brother-in-law tear up again, this time from another loss.

“Jesus, Spike,” Angel hissed as he stared at his oldest brother, “Me, Fred and the kids, we were supposed to be in Frisco, today. On that buying trip. My God, if Dad hadn’t gone when he did…”

Everyone in the kitchen just stood in shock and looked around at each other. Finally Buffy whispered in awe, “Dad Giles,” she swallowed back tears, “do you suppose he’s still watching out for us. All of us?”


‘April 30th, 1906’


Buffy Giles snuggled up, closer, to her husband, William in their big bed. “Well,” she sighed, “our Hank and the family are going home, tomorrow. I’ll miss them, terribly, but I understand they need to get back to the winery.”

She tried hard not to tear up, but failed miserably. “I wish…” Buffy whispered to her unusually quiet husband.

“Princess,” Will began softly, “Xander and Hank, they want us to come out to sunny California, for Christmas. Bring the whole damn family with us, Will, Alice and their twin Goddesses. Zach and Sarah, of course with Zach Jr.” He grunted, “Jr. for God’s sake, I wish to bloody hell they wouldn’t call my Grandson, Jr., but anyway.”

Buffy giggled, “of course the twins, James and Joshua will go and our Cindy. Did you see how Jesse Harris followed our Cindy around like a puppy dog?”

Spike laughed, “yeah, that he did, Princess. But, you know Cindy, she’s as fickle as the wind in a storm. Where boys are concerned anyhow. I’m not sure there’ll be another Giles/Harris marriage in the future, at least not through them.”

His Buffy chuckled and let her husband spoon her tiny body even closer up to his.

“Connor and Dawnie will want to go, for sure,” Buffy sighed again, “and Conn, Jr. and Jenny. Do you think we can pull it off? Get this whole circus out to California for Christmas?”

She tightened the embrace she had on her husband’s neck and back. “Oh, hell yeah,” Spike chuckled, “we’ll manage. Besides,” he hesitated then added, “there’s a stretch of land, out just above Sunnydale. Xander’s been talking to me about it. It’s right by the Pacific Ocean, thought we might like to take a look at it.

I thought maybe, if it’s right for us, we’d buy it, set up some kind of a get a away place for us and the kids. When it’s frozen here, in winter, it’s still warm enough there in California, even on the coast. What do you think, Princess? Would you like a posh little place by the Pacific, for a Gile’s winter Holiday away from Wyoming, every winter?”

Buffy thought about this for a moment or two, it took about three seconds that is.

“Yes, Will,” she sighed dreamily, “I would like it. We could build a nice little place on the property, a place to go in winter. The kids and grandchildren would love it, I know. Me too,” she added as she kissed Will’s still handsome mouth, then kissed him again, just for good measure.

“The Harris’s say that that Parade of Roses, down by Los Angeles in California…they say it’s really something and we should see it at least once. It’s on New Year’s Day and this year, they might even use automobiles as floats, instead of horses and buggys,” she continued. “I’d like to see that, Will,” she stated wistfully.

“Well, then,” William responded as he nuzzled his wife’s cheek with his mouth, “that’s settled. It’s Christmas and winter Holiday in California this year. Maybe for years to come, eh?”

Buffy grinned up at her love, “oh,” she scrunched up her forehead, “by the way, dear. I was thinking,” she paused for a moment and studied Will’s raised left eyebrow, the scarred one.

“I suppose you ‘could’ look into one of those crazy automobiles, for here I mean. Give it a look and have one sent out. If you drive it only, that is, you and the boys. I have a feeling,” she chuckled again, “that these new fangled horseless carriages and me, we just might not mix too well.”


A/N: I’ll finish this chapter on that note. I was going to write a Spuffy lovin’ scene here, but we’ll just assume that they ‘bonded’ together in their big old marital bed. After all, this is Spike and Buffy we’re talking about, of course they did the horizontal bop. Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 25: '1911' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 25: ‘1911’


‘Springtime, 1911’


“You can drive this bloody thing, Princess,” Spike growled at his wife in exasperation, “just concentrate!”

Buffy, who had been at the wheel of the automobile for less then ten minutes, had already taken out half of the front gate, leading up to William and Buffy’s Ranch.

“I told you,” Buffy screamed back at him, “I never wanted to even try to drive this damn thing! I hate these things, why the heck don’t you get a clue, William Giles. I do not want to learn to drive an automobile! Let it go already!”

Alex, Spike and Buffy’s third son chuckled in the back seat, “I’d give it up, Pops,” he chortled gleefully, “Mom’s not going to get it, not in an eternity. She’ll end up killing us all in this thing before it’s over. You’ve owned this beast for years now, if Mom can’t learn to operate it by now, well…”

Twenty-five-year-old Alexander Giles gasped as his dear mother, Buffy, hit the gas, again, instead of the brake pedal as she should have.

“Okay, that’s it!” yelped Buffy loudly, “Alex, get your behind up here and take over this thing, if your Dad won’t. I’ve had it. I’m not going to be responsible for taking out part of my family in this hellish contraption!”

Alex Giles, who looked more like his Grandfather, Rupert, every day leapt up into the front seat, after his mother had finally found that brake pedal and stopped the auto.

“Sure Mom,” he squealed, every bit the excitable young man he’d always been. “I’ll drive us over to Uncle Connor’s place, pick up Michelle and our rugrats. The little monsters are trying to help their Mom, Auntie Dawn and Granny Jenny plant those new rose bushes. Though, God knows, that my boys, Alec and Hal have probably ripped the entire garden apart by now.”

As Alexander Giles drove the horrid beast of an automobile over to the original Gile’s Ranch, Buffy prattled on in the back seat.

“I’m thinking of having a real big party, for Anne and Elizabeth’s birthday. They will be seven this year and I think they should have a big do, don’t you honey?”

She tapped Will, her husband, on his shoulder, “I ‘spose,” he grumbled back at his wife of almost thirty years.

“Oh for Heaven’s sake, Will,” Buffy muttered, “just because ‘you’ say I should know how to drive, doesn’t just make it so. You’re not God you know, Will Giles,” she finished with a laugh.

“You used to think so,” Will mumbled under his breath, a childish pout on his mouth.

“Okay,” Buffy sighed, “so, to me you are a God, still, dear. However, that doesn’t mean I can drive one of these things. I don’t need to, do I? I mean, we still have some of the best horses in the State of Wyoming. Why can’t I utilize them?”

Spike relented and gave his wife a grin and a wink, “I suppose you’re right, as usual, Princess.”

The little reminder that Buffy still thought of him as ‘a God’ suddenly put any grumblings and complaints at her lack of driving skills right out of his mind. Buffy must have picked up on his sudden change in mood, because she tickled the back of his neck with her fingers, giggling as she did so.

‘Can’t believe she’s the Mother of seven and grandmother to…’ Spike had lost count of his grandchildren, suddenly.

‘Let me think,’ he ticked the names off in his head:

‘There’s Will’s brood; Anne and Elizabeth, Alice Marie and little William Rupert III.’

Spike shook his head in exhasperation, “Buffy, luv,” he sighed loudly, “when are we going to start calling William III by that nickname Will came up with? William Rupert Giles III sounds like a bloody Royal or something. I thought…”

Buffy patted his shoulder gently and mumbled, “I know, Will, I know. Just the other day, Alice promised they’d try the new nickname of Trace, real soon now. Just for you dear, promise.”

“About damn time,” Spike huffed, “At least it sounds better then William the bloody III, for Christ’s sake.”

Buffy gasped from the back seat, “William Giles,” she hissed, “you watch your mouth about my grandson’s name or I’ll order those twin beds for our room I’ve been eyeing. You hear me?”

Spike felt a pout form on his mouth, “you ever,” he growled menacingly, “try to move out of our double bed, Missy, same room or not and I’ll tan your still luscious arse in the middle of Main Street. You understand?”

He had turned around and was glaring at his lovely wife, trying for the world to look really evil. It must not have worked, because Buffy burst into laughter, right in his face, her green eyes lit up like fiery opals.

“What’s so funny?” Spike hissed, his blue eyes narrowed into slits, as he tried not to smirk.

“You, you old big baby,” Buffy chuckled as she wiped a few tears from her cheeks, “you know I have no intention of ordering those darn twin beds. I still can’t sleep when we’re inches apart in bed, much less feet apart in seperates. I’m just kidding with you, Will, for heaven’s sake. Get over it.”

Spike ‘humphed’ and turned around to face the front again, “better be kidding,” he muttered as his wife began to play with the back of his hair once more.

‘Okay,’ Spike began to tick off the names of his grandchildren, at least the ones he could immediately thing of:

‘There’s Hank’s tribe: The twins, Alex and Lizzy, Bill and of course, baby Sally.

Then,’ Spike frowned for some reason, ‘there’s Sarah’s brats: Zachary Harris Jr., oh yeah, ‘Jr.!’ that’s why I’m frowning; okay, let’s see Sarah II and Katherine.’

He thought some more as they drove along to his Father’s ranch house that everyone now referred to as Connor’s place.

‘Then there’s Alex’s two terrors: Alec and Hal.

Next we’ve got the Jame’s gang: twins again; Jim and Jack and little Janice.

Joshua’s (the lawyer) keeping right up with his twin brother: Joseph and Jesse, then little Julie. Of course, Josh’s wife, Cassie is pregnant again, so I guess you could say they’ve got four rugrats, really.’

“Good God, Buffy,” Spike gasped as he turned to look at his beautiful wife, “our kids are procreating a bloody Army!”

Buffy grinned, but Alex, their son burst out laughing, “yeah, like you and Mom are the model couple for population control, Pops!”

“Well, dear,” Buffy chuckled, “I’m not sure, but I don’t think we need worry about our Cindy giving us too many grandchildren, at least not too soon that is. She’s too busy learning to tread the stage back in New York and…”

William groaned painfully, “oh yeah, that’s right,” he muttered, “a bloody actress! My baby girl is going to be the next Sarah Bernhardt. Jesus Buffy, when we sent her to Berkeley, I thought she’d come out a teacher, or at least a librarian, like her big sis, but no, she wants to be an actress! Good Christ, if I’d have known…”

Buffy pinched her husband’s arm, gently, but definitely hard enough for him to feel it, “ouch! That hurt, baby,” he hissed as he rubbed the spot.

“Quit swearing about my baby, Old Man,” Buffy warned evenly, then quickly patted his arm, affectionately. “Besides, dear,” Buffy purred as she stroked Will’s neck tenderly, “it’s probably just a phase and nothing will come of it anyway. Give her some time, some room to explore, Will. After all, we’ve always known that Cindy was ‘different’ like a wild colt. You can’t fence in a wild colt, honey, you know that.”

They had arrived at Connor’s place by the time William had calmed down about poor Cindy’s choice of a career. All three of the automobile’s occupants were surprised to find Zach and Sarah’s buggy, their horses still hitched up, secured in front of the house.

“I didn’t know Zach, Sarah and their bunch would be here,” Alex said, somewhat perplexed. Zach and Sarah had their own place now, about five hundred acres that Grand Dad Giles had given them as a wedding present. Sarah’s husband, however, still worked for Connor Giles, as he had his Father, Rupert.

The trio stepped into the big house, thinking they’d find a slew of adults and children milling about. Instead, they found an empty parlor, silent as a grave.

“Something’s wrong,” Buffy hissed as she hurried into the kitchen, only to find Jenny Giles, Zach Harris and Sarah, Connor and Dawn sitting at the kitchen table. Their sad, tear-stained faces confirmed Buffy’s worst fears. Something was indeed very wrong.


“Mama,” Sarah stood up and stretched her arms out to Buffy. “Mama,” we got some bad news, just a while ago. Hank, he called from California, it’s about…” but Sarah couldn’t go on, she just fell into her mother’s arms and began to sob.

“What’s wrong Connor,” Buffy heard William ask his brother, quietly.

Connor stood up and patted Zach Harris’ shoulder, “it’s Zach’s mother, Anya. She passed away, earlier today, just a few hours ago, out in Sunnydale.”

Buffy felt her head begin to spin and everything start to go dark about her. Before she could completely black out and hit the wooden kitchen floor, she felt her husband’s strong arms catch her.

When Buffy woke up, her William still held her in his safe, comfortable arms. He was sitting on a chair, holding her in his lap, stroking her face with his big, familiar hand.

Buffy immediately broke out into tears and buried her face into Will’s chest. She began to ramble, almost incoherantly, ignoring the crowd of family hovering about her.

“Anya,” Buffy sobbed, in a voice of a child, “she wanted to learn her letters. She wanted to please Xander and start over, a second chance she said. So I,” Buffy clung to Will’s neck desperately, “so I told her I’d teach her her numbers too. She was so proud, so happy and, and so very proud of herself. So was I, proud of her, I mean and she was so grateful for my help. I loved her like a sister, and she loved me,” Buffy whimpered.

“It was me, taught her how to read and add, she…” Buffy couldn’t speak anymore, she just continued to sob into her husband’s chest as he rocked her on his lap.

“How,” Alex Gile’s finally asked his older sister, Sarah, who had finally quit sobbing, so much, anyway. Zachary Harris answered, through his own pain,

“Dad, he left for the old vines acres, forgot his lunch. Hank says Mom was livid and stormed off after him to make sure he got it. I guess Mom had been gone, for a couple of hours, but Hank and Beth didn’t think anything of it. Thought maybe Mom and Dad decided to make up and have lunch together. Dad must have come back from the old vines area a different way then usual. Showed up at the house, about noon, wondering where his lunch was.”

“Of course,” Zach paused and wiped his tears quickly, “of course that was the alert that something was wrong. They, Hank and Dad, they found Mom, lying in the middle of the little dirt road to the old vines. She, Mom, she was already gone. Doctor said her big old heart just gave out. Dad, he’s just broken up, Alex, devestated and…”

Zach began to sob again and his wife, Sarah threw her arms around him, joining in his crying. Buffy had finally began to calm a little, during the story, enough to meet her husband’s sympathetic gaze.

“Will,” she whispered in a still child like voice, “call Hank in Sunnydale. Tell him we’ll be on the next train possible, to get there, for Xander. Please, honey.”

She sat up, a little straighter on her Will’s lap and stared at Zach and her daughter, Sarah. “I want to go say goodbye to my Anya in person,” Buffy sniffled sadly.

Later, that night as Buffy and Spike lay in their big, double bed, snuggled up together, as always.

“Will,” Buffy murmered in the dark, “I mean it. I’d never order those silly twin beds, you know that, don’t you?”

Spike chuckled softly, “I know, baby,” he pulled her tighter to him.

“Will,” Buffy whispered again, “you won’t die before me, will you? I mean,” Spike felt Buffy’s little body tense up and he prepared for another onslaught of her tears, “I mean,” she continued softly, “promise me you won’t die before me. I hope we can go together, somehow. I know it’s silly, Will, but I don’t think I could go on without you around. So, promise me, you’ll never pass on, without me, anyway.”

He nuzzled his wife’s honey blonde head with his mouth, “I’m not going anywhere without you, baby,” he murmered, as he stroked her bare arms.

“And that goes for you too, Princess,” he grew quite serious, “you don’t go ‘anywhere’ without me, either. I mean, any other world, that is.”

Spike felt his Buffy snuggle even closer into him, “never,” she sighed as she smiled and kissed his bare chest.


A/N: I promised more angst. Sigh, I wanted to give readers a little insight to the Gile’s family tree also. Indeed, it’s getting quite large! Anyway, please read and review. This story is not over. Thanks, Luv, Spuf
Chapter 26: '1914' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 26: ‘1914’


A/N: Sigh…I wish more people would review this. I am going to submit the next chapter ‘1917’ right after this fluffy little chapter here. Only a couple more chapters to go. Thanks, Luv, Spuf


‘Wyoming, 1914’


“So,” Spike Giles was smoking his pipe as he flipped to the next page of his newspaper ‘The Cheyenne Tribune’ what’s new from London?” He asked this of his wife, Buffy, who was perusing the latest letter from their youngest child, daughter Cynthia ‘Cindy’ Ann Giles.

“Well,” Buffy began, a little snip in her voice, “if you’d put down that darn newspaper and listen a little bit, I’d read you the whole letter.”

Spike raised his left, scarred brow and set the Tribune on the nearby end table, the one by his favorite chair. They were sitting in their parlor, Buffy and him, on this Thursday afternoon in the later part of the month of July.

“By-the-way, Old Man,” Buffy quipped, saucily, “as much as you like to think you resemble Sherlock Holmes, your literary hero, with that pipe and all, it’s still not good for your health. Pipes, according to your good friend Dr. Wilkens, the Jr. that is, are as hazardous to your health as regular cigarettes.”

“Buffy,” Spike sighed in frustration, “I gave up whiskey, at least on a daily basis, five years ago. I stopped smoking cigarettes when Doc Wilkens, Jr. gave me that ‘long’ face of his the last time I went to him for a stupid cough last Spring. Now, I refuse to give up beer, no chance of that and besides a pipe to smoke once in a while I have no other vices, anymore. Okay,” he smirked wickedly, “I still make love to you, on a regular basis, but that’s hardly a vice, now is it? Anyway,” Spike pouted as he ran his left hand through his now, entirely silver head of hair, “I can smoke a damn pipe if I want. I’m fifty-four-years-old and I’ll be…”

His wife gave him a ‘patient’ loving look, “yes dear,” she murmered as she held up Cindy’s letter. “Ready now?” she asked sweetly, “to hear what our darling ‘baby’ has to say?”

Spike settled back into his chair and nodded, “go ahead. Read to us, what the ‘great actress’ on the London West End Stage has to write. Which by-the-way,” Spike grumbled lowly with a scowl, “I thought you once told me that this acting nonsense was ‘just a phase’ for our Cindy?”

Buffy shook her head, her honey blonde hair, now slightly streaked with silver itself, fluttered airily around her as she shrugged.

“Okay, here goes,” Buffy began patiently as she read her youngest child’s letter to her darling husband, William:

(Cindy Gile’s letter will have an apostrophe around the beginning and end of each of the sentences and paragraphs. Buffy and Spike’s ongoing conversation will be in regular script).

‘Dear Da and Mummy,

Sorry it’s been way too long since I last corresponded with you both.’

“Oh for Christ’s sake,” Buffy heard William mutter, “she does two or three plays in London and she’s talking like a bloody Brit. Da and Mummy, for the love of God!”

“Will, please,” Buffy shushed her Old Man, “I’m continuing.”

‘I have been so busy, with our Company’s new production of William Shakespeare’s: Romeo and Juliet that I have not had time to write anyone at all. I do hope, truly, that you, Mummy and Da have seen at least some of the fabulous reviews that our troupe has received for our performances on the West End in London. I am so very sure that Da would enjoy the fact that his youngest offspring is treading the planks of the old West End Theatre, especially in the role of the beautiful, tragic and immortal Juliet Capulet. Da must appreciate the fact that I am in his homeland, right in the middle of his birth city of London.’

“Actually, Princess,” Spike interjected to his wife, “As you know, I was born in the countryside, outside of old London and…”

Buffy shot him a warning look, “shush, Will, please. You won’t let me finish and there’s two pages here.”

Spike crossed his left leg over his right one and sulked for a moment at Buffy then nodded, “oh, go ahead then,” he huffed.

‘However, I am writing for reasons more then just to herald my own success as the Bard’s tragic teenage lover, Juliet. I have the most wonderful news! Mummy, Daddy…I am in love!’

Buffy smiled softly, “our baby, she is in love, Will, finally,” she whispered happily.

William snorted loudly, “if that little chit’s gone and tied herself up with some poof of an actor, I swear Buffy, I’ll take the next ship over and…”

Buffy looked over at her Will and frowned at him, “Will,” she hissed, “if Cindy’s in love, then she’s in love. Do not ruin this for her, for me, please darling?”

William eyed his wife and lost the frown he had had just a moment before, “go on, sweet,” he murmered, “I’ll be good. Just sit here and listen to Cindy’s dramatic prose. Oh,” he sighed, pretty dramatically himself, “if she wants to go and muck up her life more then she already has? What the bloody hell can I do about it?”

Holding the letter up in her hand, once again, was Buffy’s signal for Will to hush and listen.

‘Before Daddy has three or four fits, Mummy, please finish reading this letter to him. My love is named Byron Barrington and no, Daddy, he is not an actor. In fact, he has no ties to the acting community whatsoever. Well, he has me, but that is different, is it not? My wonderful Byron B. (as I call him!) is employed at a personal and stock bank situated here in London. I know you will approve of that Daddy! Byron (now is that not a poet’s name?) has quite a prestigious position with the Bank and the sky is the limit as to how high in the business he may go!’

‘As to how we met? Well, Byron, who has had family situated in London for well over two hundred years, had accompanied his married sister, Louise and her husband (get this Da!) Lord Sutton Amherst, along with some other family members to one of our first productions of Romeo and Juliet. Apparently, much like young Romeo Montegue, my darling Byron B. was smitten at first sight with ‘yours truly’ and hung around the stage door exit like a romantic young poetic swain!’


Buffy dared a glance at her husband who was giving her his best ‘oh, hell’ expression, even as he tried not to look too excited about the prospect of a respectable business man as a future son-in-law.

“Where in the name of God does that girl of yours get her dramatics, Princess?” Will asked in mock despair.

“Oh, I wouldn’t know,” Buffy chuckled as she continued the letter:

‘Anyway, Mummy and Da, I just wanted to let you know that I am taking my dear Byron B. to Auntie Drusilla and Uncle (Lord) Wesley’s home this weekend. To meet at least some of the family. Get their (Auntie and Uncle’s) once over and approval of my future husband! Yes, this is serious Da and Mum, dear Byron B. ‘is’ the one and only for me!

Please give my love to the Gile’s tribe and all of the Harris brood, also. Tell that young nephew of mine, Trace…oh by-the-way, as to the nick name of “Trace.” Tell my big brother Will that I think “Trace” is a magnificent name for his son, William Rupert III!!! The idea that Will and Alice used the English variation of the Latin ‘Tres’ for three is ingenious!! I cannot wait to meet my nephew, again, as I have not seen him for what seems like forever.’

‘In fact, Mummy and Da, I am considering coming home to Wyoming, quite soon. I thought that Byron B. would love to see the wilds of Wyoming and the whole, or as much as is available anyway, of the Gile’s clan! Of course, be assured, that by the time we arrive in our beloved Wyoming, Byron and I will legally be man and wife. Byron and I felt that Wyoming would be a lovely, rather avant garde site to Honeymoon at!!! Mummy, wouldn’t you just love that? Just think…the possibility of another Gile’s offspring being conceived in our Wyoming!’


Spike smirked at Buffy as she finished that last sentence, his wife was blushing quite red with embarrassment by this time.

“That’s our little untamed colt, luv,” Spike chuckled, “that’s are Cindy. Never minces words, does she?” Buffy scrunched up her face and quickly finished the letter, silently.

‘Perhaps, Mummy and Da, I will forfiet my career on the stage to be a full time wife and mother myself. Da, wouldn’t you just love that, though? Tee hee…

I send all of my love and kisses to you. Please be in good health and I cannot wait to bring my Byron to meet you’

All of my love,
Cindy


Spike watched as Buffy folded the letter back up and set it on the coffee table in front of her.

“Well,” she paused for a moment, “it seems that perhaps I ‘was’ right all along, dear. Maybe the acting thing was just a phase for our Cindy. She seems quite smitten with Byron Barrington, yes?”

Spike thought, silently, for a moment, then lit his pipe again and took a drag from it. “Well,” he stammered, “maybe yes. With Cindy, you never know. But,” he continued, his mood a little lighter then before, “sounds like she’s got herself a good, steady Brit for a mate. That’s the ticket, my Cindy settled down with an Englishman. Certainly did wonders for you, Princess,” he winked at Buffy, affectionately.

“Marrying a good, steady Brit that is.” His wife crossed her arms in front of her chest and tilted her head to one side, a habit she had picked up from Spike, over the years.

“You know, Old Man,” she murmered across the room to him, “if what you say didn’t make so much darn sense, I’d fall off of this chair laughing and break my neck.”

Spike grinned at Buffy, lovingly, “well, you know, school teacher,” he added with a wink, “that would be a pity. Because you still have such a fine, lovely little neck. It’d be a shame for it to break.”

Buffy leapt up from the sofa and scurried over to her husband, flinging her tiny body down on his lap.

“You are so flirting with me, Will,” she purred as she nuzzled her face into his own, fine neck.

“Yup, I am, baby,” he purred, stroking her gold and silver hair, affectionately.

“Will,” Buffy whispered softly, “wanna’ go upstairs and ‘take a nap’ with me?”

Spike grinned and stood up, carrying Buffy with him, “yeah,” he replied, happily, “but I’m not sure either of us will be ‘napping’ any time soon.”


A/N: Maybe two more chapters for this fiction. I’ve almost got everything written down I need to! I am going to concentrate on A Murder In Sunnydale. It’s going to be a long one, I assure you. Thanks, for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 27: '1917' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 27: ‘1917’


‘Wyoming, About May the 5th, 1917’


Spike grumbled and cursed, loudly as he tried to pull the broken fence piece up to meet the other one.

“Damn thing,” he muttered angrily, more at himself then the wood, “I’m getting too bloody old to be out here fixing this piece of crap. Bloody thing breaks, same time, every year and…”

His rant was interrupted by the sound of his wife’s, Buffy’s automobile chugging up to his spot in the far 40 acres.

‘What the hell,’ he shook his head as he dropped the hammer from his hand. Buffy never drove that damn thing, anywhere, much less to join him out here in the boondocks of their ranch. In fact, it was Buffy that had nagged him about having one of the hands go out and fix the damn fence this time. But, here she was, Buffy, his Princess, driving closer and closer to Spike.

By the time Buffy arrived and parked the auto, Spike could tell that something was terribly wrong. His wife didn’t miss a beat, she threw the auto into park and leapt out of the front seat, running to meet him.

“Will,” she cried frantically tears streaming down her still lovely little face as she threw herself into Spike’s arms.

“What is it Princess,” Spike choked out, terrified by his wife’s frantic display

“It’s Cindy’s Byron, he’s, he’s dead Will. They murdered our baby’s love.”

Buffy’s husband held her to him so tightly, she felt as if she could not breathe, “he’s dead,” she whispered again, tearfully.

Will embraced her shaking body even closer, if the was possible, then before and asked harshly, “where, when?”

Lifting her tear stained face up to meet her husband’s dark blue eyed gaze, Buffy shook her head, “somewhere called Scarpes Valley, in Europe of course. About the 12th of Apirl, they think. Killed in action, killed by mortar fire. Oh, God, Will,” she broke down again and began to weep miserably, feeling her man’s tears against her forehead.

Spike was at a loss for words, he could only hold and comfort his Buffy, best he could through his own pain. Cindy was their baby, his and Buffy’s, their little girl, their wild child as it were.

When she’d married Byron Barrington and dragged him over here to Wyoming, it was a toss up as to which of her parents, Buffy or himself was more pleased, or relieved. Better news yet, was nine months later when Cindy wired them to announce that another Gile’s grandchild was now on the planet. A boy, named Byron William Barrington. Seemed that old Byron didn’t care for the moniker of Jr. any more then Spike did. Another thing Spike had liked about his British son-in-law.

That fucking war over in Europe hit full force and Byron, who enlisted in the British Army, duty and all, insisted that his wife and young son, move back to Wyoming. He’d assured his wife, Cindy, that when it was all over, they’d return to London to live in peace and start a new life.

“Fucking wars,” Spike hissed, his voice hoarse from his own tears. “Buffy, luv,” his tone, tender again, comforting, “where’s Cindy, and the babies, right now?”

Little had Byron known, at the time, that Cindy was pregnant again, with a little girl when she returned to America. Baby Victoria (after the late Queen herself) was just a little over a year old and now, she would never meet her own Dad.

Buffy sniffled, trying to wipe her tears away, “at home, at the house. Cindy’s devestated, Will, just lost somehow. Of course the babies are too young to realize and…”

William rubbed his own eyes and gently picked his slim wife up in his still strong arms, “come now, Princess,” he murmered to Buffy as he placed her on his horse, Demonic. “We’ll ride, together back to the house, Cindy and the babies need us. Leave the car,” he ordered gently as he climbed on Demonic, behind Buffy, “I want you with me as we go back. Damn car’s fine out here, but Domonic won’t be.”

Buffy leaned back into her husband’s arms as Will spurred Demon and Cloud I’s grandchild on into a quick trot.

‘Too much death around here,’ Buffy reflected silently, ‘way too much damn unnecessary death in our lives. First Papa, then Dad Giles, then my dear Anya. Next it was Ethan Rayne and Cordelia,’ she felt a sharp pang of loss shoot through her at the thought of her friends and family that had passed. Daniel Osbourne, the older one, had died of pneumonia a few years ago.

It was about two years later that her darling Willow as a widow, left for California and had somehow, miraculously, met up with widower Xander Harris. They had married, finally, something Buffy was sure Anya would approve of.

Will’s sister, Drusilla and her husband, who never had children of their own, were lost, together, in a boating accident. They were off the coast of Africa, on Holiday and caught in a freak storm, along with old friends of Lord Wesley’s family.

She did not speak of these sad things, Buffy didn’t, as she leaned back into her dear husband’s solid chest. Buffy just closed her eyes and let the tears fall, anew, tears for this new loss and the old ones.

It seemed like hours, but it was only thirty minutes or so that Buffy and Will arrived at the house, both dreading, she was sure, to go inside. Will slid off Demonic, then reached up to help Buffy down into his arms.

As if her husband had been reading her own thoughts, all the way back to the house, Will murmered tenderly in Buffy’s ears. “We must be strong, Princess,” he whispered gently, “for Cindy and the babies. We have to be. Sad to say, but death, from age, illness or war, it’s a part of life Buffy dear. Now, it’s time for us to be strong for our baby, Cindy, and her little ones.”

Buffy broke from Will’s embrace, reluctantly, and allowed him to lead her into their home.

When Spike and Buffy entered their front hallway, young Trace, their son Will’s boy was there waiting for them. Trace’s blue eyes were sullen and pained, ‘he’s certainly old enough to understand death,’ Spike noted sadly.

“Grandpa,” the little man reached out his arms to Spike, his little voice shakey from tears, “those bad men, they killed Uncle Byron. Aunt Cindy’s so sick that she had to go to bed.”

Spike heard Buffy’s soft sob, again and felt his own heart break, once more for his little girl, Cindy. He leaned down and picked up Trace in his arms, snuggling the boy into his chest.

“I know, Trace,” Spike whispered into his grandson’s curly fair hair, “we are all so sorry for our Cindy. It’s very sad, boy,” his own shakey voice trailed off and Spike looked to his Buffy for some of her emotional support.

“Let’s go and find your Dad and Mummy, Trace darling,” Buffy cooed softly, leading Spike and his beloved bundle into the parlor.

Spike tried to ignore the crying he heard from the bedroom that his darling daughter, Cindy, had occupied since moving her little family back to Wyoming. To be safe, that’s what Byron had wanted, his family to be safe in America.

“Mom, Dad,” William, Spike’s oldest son hurried to meet them as they entered the parlour. “I made Cindy get to bed, sent the babies to my Annie, she’s at our home, with our girls. Trace insisted coming along with me, for his Auntie Cindy’s sake. My little man,” the young William Giles smiled down at his only son, who gazed up at his Father, adoringly.

“Dad,” William the younger continued, “I think you should go in, see Cindy first. She’s been asking for you.” Spike’s son and partner on the ranch gave his dad a sorrowful glance, “poor little Cindy, my poor baby sister. She’s so broken up, Dad and…”

“Go along, dear,” Buffy whispered to her husband, “I’ll be along in a moment. I need to talk to Will here, and our grandson.” Will, the elder slowly walked to his daughter’s room and knocked softly on the door, “it’s Dad, Cindy, luv, can I come in?” Cindy was heard to call out to her father and Will opened the door, entered the room and closed the door softly behind him.

Buffy turned back to her oldest son and his only boy, fresh tears in her green eyes.

“I called James and Josh, in town,” Will told his mother, “Alex went out to round them up. Thought they should be here, for Cindy and all. Told them that the children should stay home, with their wives, no need to fill the house with even more crying. Don’t you think Mum?”

“Yes,” Buffy agreed with a firm nod, “I wholly agree with you, Son. We shall have a service for poor Byron, later, after things have cooled down a bit, then the family can all gather to pay their respects. But for now…”

Will, Jr., which he was never, ever called, Jr., that is nodded, “I already talked to the cook. He’s fixing up a lot of food, for everyone. Having him make that special soup of his, for Cindy. You know my little sis, she’ll starve herself for days if she’s not forced to eat and all. Poor little thing, Mum, she’s so devestated and lost.”

Buffy frowned a moment, in deep thought. “Will, Trace,” she glanced at her son and his son, respectively, “I need a promise from you.”

The two ‘men’ looked puzzled but nodded at the formidable Gile’s matriach.

“You know, Will,” Buffy smiled softly, “you’re so much like your Dad, looks, personality, strength. Poor stupid Riley Finn called it years ago, even if he said it rather coarsely. You are the spitting image of your old man. That’s why,” she sighed wearily, “I’m going to ask you for your promise, yours and Trace’s. When I go, if it’s before Dad, I need you to be there for him. Your Dad and your Grand Dad, Trace,” she tousled the boy’s curly fair hair.

“My Will,” she shook her head, “he and I, we’ve promised to go together, but sadly, that rarely happens, I’m afraid. So please, give me your word, here and now, you’ll be there for your Father, if I go first.”

The second William Giles looked horrified for a moment, then slowly nodded at his Mother, “I promise, Mum,” he murmered. “But,” he paused then suddenly grinned warmly, “that won’t be for years, yet. However, if Dad goes before you, we promise that too, we’ll be there for you Mum. Right Trace?”

Buffy’s son smiled warmly down at his son, “right Dad,” Trace nodded firmly, “we Gile’s men, we stick together and with our family, don’t we Dad?”


A/N: A lot of testosterone in this one, I know. However, I felt it was important, being the time it takes place, the characters themselves. This story is nearly finished. Another chapter, or two, then an epilogue, definitely. Thank you to all of you who have read this tale. Please review if you like. Luv, Spuf
Chapter 28 & Epilogue: '1939' by spufette
STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 28: ‘1939’


‘Summer, 1939’


A/N: This is it. The last chapter, with an Epilogue to follow. I have truly enjoyed writing this fiction. Thank you, everyone for letting my story be a part of your life. Luv, S


Buffy sat in her big old comfy chair, the one in the parlor, diligently working her knitting needles. Wynona, Trace’s wife was about to give birth to their second child and Buffy was determined to finish the baby blanket before the baby arrived.

Will, her husband, sat in his big old comfy chair, across from her, reading the Cheyenne Tribune.

“I don’t know why I read this damn thing,” she heard him grumble, “no decent news anymore. No happy news anyway,” he snorted in contempt as he ran his left hand through his silver hair and adjusted his glasses.

“Just a few years ago, seems like all’s the Tribune ran was ‘happy’ items, full of hope. Trying to lull us, I guess, through the Depression.”

“Well, Will,” Buffy sighed, pausing at her knitting, “with the War in Europe, I expect ‘bad’ news is all we’ll hear or read about for a long time now.”

William Giles growled lowly, causing Buffy to giggle (yes, Buffy still giggles!), “bloody little moron, Hitler,” he hissed harshly. “Wants to be King of the World. Arse, he’ll pull the U.S. into it, before it’s over, mark my words. We’ll have to go after him. Stupid git. If I was young again, I’d…”

Buffy gave her husband one of her ‘looks’ and he changed the subject. Spike watched his wife, knitting away, so determined to finish the little baby blanket for Trace and Wynona’s unborn child.

“What are they going to name the baby, if it’s a boy this time,” he asked his wife, warily, knowing full well what the answer just might be. His Princess smiled at him, “you know very well, William Giles that if this one is a boy, it’s going to be named William Rupert Giles IV. And don’t make a fuss, get over it.”

Spike shook his head, “then I hope it’s another girl. A little sis for Elizabeth, that’s the ticket.”

He grinned at Buffy when she frowned at him, “you know, Will,” she mumbled, “I think it’s high time you got over all this anti-junior monikers and such, it’s nonsense.”

Spike shrugged, but kept grinning at his tiny wife. “Ever wonder, Princess,” he began to chuckle softly, “what old Riley Finn would think if he found out that our Grandson, my namesake, married old Ford’s Granddaughter, Wynona? Bet he’d just die of shock, huh? That is, if he wasn’t already deader then a door nail.”

Buffy sighed in exasperation at her ‘Old Man’ and scowled at him again, “now that’s enough, Will,” she hissed. “Riley’s dead, has been for years, we shouldn’t even speak about him. It’s disrespectful and I suppose that he may have turned out okay in the end. Look at our dear Caleb Montgomery. He did a 180 and turned out to be a kind compassionate man, just needed a good woman in his life, like Anne. It’s wonderful, really,” she murmered softly with a smile, “all of us, from the old days, somehow connected together, for always.”

She heard her husband yawn loudly. “Damn, I’m more tired then I’ve ever been in my life,” Will sighed slowly.

“Let me finish this row of stitches,” Buffy said evenly, not looking up from her knitting, “we can go on up and take a nap together.”

Buffy ignored her husband’s wicked chuckle, knowing full well what he was implying by it. “You are incorrigible Will,” she stated evenly, but smiled.

“Will?” Looking up, she realized that her husband had fallen asleep, right in his chair, already. ‘He never does that,’ she frowned, ‘he must be really tired.’

Buffy set her knitting aside and hurried over to Will’s chair, taking his arm in her hand. “Dear,” she shook him, gently and removed his glasses for him, “let’s get you upstairs, we’ll both take a nap, like I said.”

Her Will opened his still indigo colored eyes and smiled at Buffy, wearily, “I’m tired, Princess,” he whispered, “can we rest, Buffy. Can we just rest now?”

His eyes flickered shut, then they fluttered open again and Buffy saw an old familiar light in them, never gone, just a little dimmer in his old age.

“I love you school teacher,” her Will murmered with his lovely grin. Then he closed his eyes once more.

“Will,” Buffy whispered weakly, shaking her husband’s still body a little harder, “Will, wake up now. Let’s go upstairs and…”

But she knew, deep down, He, her wonderful William, was never going to open those beautiful blue eyes of his again. At least, not in this world.

Buffy felt as if someone, some cruel, hateful being had stabbed her through her heart with a knife. At first, she could not even think straight, could not even put enough thoughts together to call out to someone to help Will, and her. Then, when the numbness passed, Buffy allowed herself to embrace the pain and sorrow that encompassed her whole body and soul. She fell into her dead mate’s lap and began to sob, uncontrollably.


‘Days later’


If Buffy Summers-Giles had ever had favorite Grandchildren, which she did not, but if she did? They would have to be her darling Trace and Victoria, who the family called Vicky. Maybe, that’s why it was these two family members that Buffy had asked to stay with her, at the family cemetary, up on the small knoll, after the rest of the family and friends returned to the ranch house.

The service had been lovely, Buffy’s Will was sent off with a fine, fine service. So many family and friends had attended, that the poor ranch cook had to have help in cooking the funeral feast.

However, now, it was just Trace, Vicky and herself standing by the fresh grave that held Buffy’s husband of nearly sixty years.

“Gran,” Buffy heard her Grandson, Trace, call to her softly, “he was good man.” She could ‘feel’ her dear Vicky’s nod in agreement with her cousin’s attestment.

“He was a great man,” Buffy murmered in response. “Like all Giles men. It’s in your blood you know, you Giles males.”

Vicky clasped her Grandmother about her still tiny waist, “yes,” the young woman agreed, “Giles men are the best, Gran.”

Buffy smiled sadly at her Vicky, “the women too, Vic,” she said softly and lay her silver head on her Granddaughter’s shoulder.

“We were supposed to go together, your Grand Dad and me,” Buffy whispered to both of her Grandchildren present.

“I remember,” Trace murmered in response, “when I was about seven, when Uncle Byron was killed and…” he gave his cousin Vicky a sympathetic glance.

“Never knew my real Dad,” Vicky said sadly, “Jesse Harris is the only Father I’ve ever really known.”

Cindy, Vicky’s Mother, had gone out to California to visit her older brother Hank, after her first husband had died. There, happily, Cindy re-met Jesse Harris, Xander and Anya’s second son and made a match with him.

“Yeah,” Trace whispered again, thoughtfully, “I remember when you told Dad and me, Gran, that you and Grandad William were supposed to ‘go together’ and all.

Buffy felt a wave of pain and sorrow shoot through her body again, something she was getting quite used to in the past few days.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do without my Old Man,” Buffy sighed wistfully as she patted Vicky’s hand affectionately.

“Well,” Vicky’s voice became instantly lighter, “there is something. I mean, something Trace and I have been thinking about. Go on, Trace, tell Gran about the novel.”

Trace blushed, reminding Buffy even more of her Will, “it’s a series, really, Gran,” he hesitated then continued with more confidence, “at least to start, that is. With Vicky here, working at the Tribune and all, and my first novel, a best seller, well, we thought that we might work together. On a new novel, a serial type story, about you and Grand Dad. The Summers/Giles family in general and the old days. You’re the only one left Gran, from the old days and…”

Buffy was painfully reminded, once more, that she was indeed the only one left from the real old days in Wyoming. She looked over at her brother-in-law, Connor and her little sister, Dawnie’s, graves, longingly.

‘They ‘are’ all gone,’ she thought sadly, ‘everyone from the past. Before Wyoming was a State, before it became so tamed and when Will and me were young.’

“Do you think anyone would really want to read such a book, Trace?” Buffy asked her Grandson, her brows scrunched up in thought.

“Sure they would, Gran,” Vicky answered for both of them. “Trace and I, we think it would do you a world of good too, Gran, help put everything down on paper. About our family and Wyoming’s history, even some of California’s.”

Buffy was silent for a moment then she nodded, “go on down to the car, children,” she ordered softly, “I want to talk to your Grand Dad, alone for a while

The two young people left their Grandmother and walked slowly to the car, some yards down the hill from the cemetary.

“Well, Old Man,” Buffy began quietly, “I’m kind of in a quandry here. On one hand, I miss you so much that I can hardly take a breath, on the other, I am a tad miffed with you. We promised each other we would go together.” She felt tears in her eyes, threatening to fall and ruin her little private talk with her Will.

“Okay, Will,” she whispered hoarsely, wiping at her tired eyes, “I’ll leave it for now. Anyway, what about this book your Grandchildren want to write? Should I help them? I mean,” and here, Buffy giggled wickedly, “some of the things I could tell them might just shock the poor dears.”

“These young people, Will,” she shook her head slowly, “they think they invented ‘love making’ and that includes our own children and grandchildren! If they only knew, huh? You know, Old Man, I just might tell those two some things that could help that book be a real barn burner. Let them know, once and for all, that you and me, we were really in tuned to each other, in a lot of ways.”

“ They, the children and grandchildren, they think that I am blessed, to be the last one left from the old days, Will. But, they’re wrong, it’s not a blessing; it’s a curse. I love you, Will.”

She finished with a small chuckle then blew a kiss at her Will’s grave. “Bye, darling,” she whispered, “next time I come back here, it’ll be to stay.”

Buffy walked down the few yards to meet her Grandchildren at the car

“Now,” she smiled brightly at the two young people, “you get your Granny back to the house. Hank and Jesse brought a case of the new vintage of red wine from their place, HG Winery. I’d like a nice large glass of that and to visit with my extended family. You know, Trace, Vic, I’m thinking, this book is a good idea. But, we best get started, right away on it. I have a funny feeling that…”

But, she let the thought go and allowed her handsome Grandson to help her into the car.

Epilogue:

‘A few days later’


The two cousins, Trace Giles and Victoria Barrington, stood staring, in near disbelief at the day old grave of their beloved Grandmother Buffy.

“God, Trace,” Vicky was sobbing, “I can’t believe it. First Grand Dad, then Gran? So close together. How are we going to bear it, any of us?”

Trace just shook his head and clasped his little cousin closer to his strong body, tears streamed down his chiseled cheekbones.

“We will,” he finally rasped, hoarsely, “we’ll be okay. Everything will be. You know,” Trace wiped his tears and took a deep breath, “they did, Gran and Grandad, they wanted to go together. Pretty much did, too, didn’t they?”

He smiled down at his weeping favorite cousin in his arms. Vicky nodded weakly wiped at her own tears, “that’s right,” she whispered in a childish, awelike tone. “They did want to go together, and they near did. I’m glad, Trace,” she sighed, “glad it happened this way. Sorry about the book, though, for you that is. With Gran gone, well, I guess the family history novel is out, huh?”

Trace Giles smiled through the tears in his indigo blue eyes, “no, Vicky,” he chuckled despite his sorrow, “not out at all.”

Vicky raised her left brow, in question at her older cousin, “how? Without Gran to tell us everything. Get it right?”

The man chuckled, despite his sorrow, “well, it seems that Grandmother Buffy had a feeling that she was not going to be around, to help with the book that is. She left me a letter, Aunt Sarah, she found it in Gran’s hands, when she found her…” but he couldn’t finish the sentence, it hurt too much.

“The letter, from Gran, Vicky, it had a rather large key in the envelope. A short message from Gran, said I was to use the key to unlock the big trunk. You know the one, Vic, in the corner of their bedroom? The one none of us could ever get into to?”

Vicky nodded and urged her cousin to continue.

“Well, I opened it, right away. That old trunk, it held a lot of surprises, Vic,” he laughed again warmly. “You know what I found in there?”

The woman gave her cousin an odd look, then asked, “do I want to know? I mean, Gran and Grand Dad…was the stuff too personal?”

Trace shook his head, “not really, well kind of, some of it. First thing I found was the tea pot Grand Dad William gave to Gran to replace the one that broke on her trip out here.”

Vicky smiled brightly, “the one that Grand Dad always said helped Gran realize that she was crazy about him?”

Trace nodded happily, “however, dear Cousin,” he continued with a smirk, “Grand Dad was a little off about the timing of Gran’s revelation of love for him. But, I’ll explain that later. Anyway, next, I found, of all things, the ransom note and Gran’s lock of honey-blonde hair, from Holden Webster. Leave it to our Grandparents to keep that around, huh?”

The young people laughed together happily, remembering just how ‘wicked’ their Grandparents’ sense of humour could be.

“There was a picture, of Aunt Dawn, when she was just fifteen or so, a tin type and one of Great Grand Dad Giles and Jenny. Some other things, but the one thing, the best thing I found in the very bottom, Vic,” Trace’s voice became shakey as tears threatened again.

“Vicky, it was Grandma Buffy’s Journal. Apparently, however, not surprisingly, she wrote in it frequently, sometimes daily. It’s all there, Vic, the day Gran decided to come to Wyoming. The train robbery, when she and Grand Dad first laid eyes on each other. Everything. I think,” he could barely speak now, from emotion, “that Gran knew she was not going to be around to help with the book. Directed us to the journal, to help us.”

Vicky began to sob, quietly and hugged her favorite cousin to her.

“I’ve read the journal,” Trace continued, “every minute I could, since Gran passed on. Vic, it’s huge. I’m not nearly a quarter of the way through it and I’m almost up to Gran and Grand Dad’s wedding day. You know how Grand Dad always said that Gran realized, or should I say, came to her senses, when he gave her that darn teapot?”

The woman smiled and nodded, despite her tears.

“Well, he was wrong, apparently. There’s an entry, in the journal, marked September 30th, 1881. I won’t tell you everything that’s written, Vic, we’ll save it, for the book. But, I’ll say this much…Granny Buffy suspected that she was already ‘crazy in love’ with Spike Giles by that day. Something about the North Creek and Indian Summer. Suffice to say,” Trace chuckled merrily, “our Grandparents Giles were always quite passionate about each other. No surprise, there, though.”

The cousins left their spot in the family cemetary and walked back down to the waiting car. Trace and Vicky were so engrossed in the memories of their beloved Grandparents, William/Spike and Elizabeth/Buffy Giles, and in their upcoming collaboration, that they did not see the hazy apparitions that seemed to be watching them, intently.

The male shadow, had indigo blue eyes and sat astride a large black steed, also an apparition. The female shadow’s eyes were emerald green, her long honey-blonde hair flowed down her back as she sat on her Palomino pony. The couple held hands between them. When the very much alive cousins had driven off in the car, the ‘spirits’ turned their horses to face the big bluff, the one on the farthest, left side.

They proceeded to race each other over the plain, to their destination, their beloved cabin that was located on that bluff. They galloped over the plain, their gleeful laughter echoing across the empty prairie.


FINIS


Thank you, so much to everyone who read this story. It was my labour of love and I hope that you all enjoyed it as much as I did writing it. Please review, if you like. Thanks again, Luv, Spuf
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=7878