Car Trouble 5, The Race by Kings of Mercia
Summary: Spike gets his beloved Desoto ready for the race
Categories: Porn w/o Plot fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 8704 Read: 7911 Published: 03/08/2005 Updated: 03/09/2005

1. Chapter 1 by Kings of Mercia

2. chapter 2 by Kings of Mercia

3. chapter 3 by Kings of Mercia

4. Chapter 4 by Kings of Mercia

5. Chapter 5 by Kings of Mercia

Chapter 1 by Kings of Mercia
Car Trouble 5, The Race – by the Kings of Mercia

Disclaimer – we own nothing it’s just for fun.

Dedicated to those two ~HOT~ Chicks, Patty and Jen!


Chapter 1

For six days and nights Spike worked on his Desoto. He cleaned oiled and greased, changed filters, welded a roll bar on the inside of the car installed a V8 engine.

Spike had the hood up, but was sitting inside the car, in the garage, revving it up, when Buffy wandered in.

“Sounds amazing!” She had to shout above the noise

“It is!” Spike stopped revving and let it idle

“So, do I want to know where you got this new engine from?”

“Um…not really” Spike smiled, and Buffy arched a brow at him. Spike rolled his eyes – there was something about the way she looked at him sometimes, and he just had to either give in to her wishes or tell her the truth, it was unnerving!

“Police pound. There was this old Cadillac see, and –“

“SPIKE!”

“What? – It was already up on bricks coz somebody had taken the wheels, and it’s racked up zillions in fines, it’s been there over nine months, in fact, it owes more in fines than the car is worth, it was going to the crusher anyway! Clem and I had it away in minutes, nobody saw us, nobody was bothered!
Did you get the race application form?”

“Yup, I’ve filled the one bit in, all you’ve got to do is fill in your full name, and sign it. Oh, and we’ve got to say what charity we’ll be donating the prize money to”

“Okay. How about the William the Bloody’s B.A.F.F charity!”

“B.A.F.F? What’s that?”

“My Booze And Fags Fund!”

“Oh ha-ha! No seriously Spike, we can halve the donation between two charity’s if you want, I’ve already chosen mine”

“What have you picked?”

“Well, the hospital where mom was, the Lacey Memorial, they need a new scanner, so I thought I’d choose that”

“Great, yeah that’s fine. I liked your mum, put it down then”

“Really?” Spike got out of the car and put the hood down.

“Sure really. Wanna come for a spin?” Spike grinned and nodded towards the car.

Buffy smiled and nodded.

“I’ll just go lock up”

************


“………So I thought we could donate the prize money to Gunn’s brother, to his drop in centre and refuge” Angel said

“Oh no! I’ve already put down the Inner City Garden Scheme – you know, where there can be plants put around streetlights, and on traffic islands, and a small fountain in the park” Cordelia said

Angel frowned

“Isn’t that the Mayor’s pet project?”

“Uh huh”

“And isn’t he the one handing out the prizes at the end of the race?”

“Hmm, think so, not sure” Cordelia said from behind her magazine, mentally crossing her fingers because she knew very well it was.

“Well, don’t you think that’s a bit obvious?”

Cordelia dropped the magazine and said,

“Obvious?”

“Like you’re sucking up to him, choosing his scheme, it’s hardly a worthy cause?”

“No, well *I* hadn’t thought about it like that – and it IS worthy, something nice to look at while out shopping!” Cordelia fibbed, she’d do ANYTHING to get into the society pages of the magazines and newspapers, and a big photograph with her giving the mayor a cheque for $10,000 would surely get her somewhere!

In the end, Angel knew better than to argue, so he just shrugged and started opening his correspondence.

*************


“Wow! The power when you pulled away from the traffic lights – it’s amazing!”

Buffy said grinning. They were back home after taking the car for a fast drive.

“I know, 160 brake horse-power, at 3800 rpm! The five main bearings have – what?”

“Too much info there for me Spike, I wouldn’t know what a R, P what was?”

“Rpm, it means revs per minute”

“As long as it works, and will get us around the race course, that’s all I want to know. Oh, hey, Xander” her friend wandered into the garage.

“Mind if I go have a shower?” Spike said, plainly ignoring the ‘whelp’ as he called Xander, who’d made his thoughts on Buffy doing the race with Spike clearly obvious that he didn’t approve.

“Sure, go on up, towels are in the cupboard”

“So…still going ahead with this hair-brained scheme I take it then?” Xander slowly walked around the clean, newly decaled Desoto. He lightly tapped one of the tyres with his foot.

Buffy crossed her arms and said a little wearily,

“Yes, Xander – and I’d appreciate it if we don’t have to have this conversation again, I’ve told you, it’s for charity and it’ll be fun”

“I’m getting hassles off Anya now, she wants to do it”

“Well why don’t you then?”

“Because, I have realistic expectations about my car, it wouldn’t do it. And I don’t think for a second this will, either, nor is it a good idea to be with Spike”

Spike reappeared in the kitchen-to-garage doorway and said,

“Well, that’s just where you’re wrong mate, we’ll do the course, and hopefully win the money for Joyce’s hospital – um pet, have you got any shower gel, I can only see that vanilla stuff you use”

“Cupboard under the sink, I bought you some Sport stuff”

“Right, thanks – And thanks for your kind words of support and encouragement, whelp – piss off why don’t you – Oh, I’m out of here, shower!”

Spike left.

“Xander, why do you have to always be so negative towards-“

“And if by a miracle you DO win, you make sure you have the cheque, he might SAY he’s happy for the money to go to charity now, but you mark my words, when the time comes, he’ll-“

“Xander, you have to say on the entrance application form what charity you are donating the money to, they print out a huge big oversized cheque and you’re photographed handing it over, so he couldn’t go back on it. Not that I think he would”

“You’ve changed Buffy. What on earth possessed you to say yes in the first place?”

“Well if you must know, Cordelia and Angel being smug”

“Oh you mean you wanted to get back at Angel?”

“No, I TOLD you, it’s for charity, we thought it was a good idea”

“Here you are, I wondered where you’d got to – I’ve been looking all over the house for you – I thought it was you in the bathroom, I just caught Spike with his shirt off” Anya said with a great big grin on her face.

“What – why the” Xander got all indignant, until Anya said,

“Shame I didn’t time it ten seconds later, coz he was just undoing his belt and-!

“ANYA1 – I don’t believe I’m hearing this!”

Anya shrugged

“Spike’s ripped! His got a great body, hasn’t he Buffy!”

Anya ran her hand over the back wing of the car and continued,

“ Wow…look what he’s done to the car, it’s fantastic! Does it go really fast now?” Buffy was rather grateful that Anya glossed over her first question, Xander was already almost apoplectic with annoyance.

“Really, really fast – he’s put a V8 engine in it, it goes like a bomb now!”

“What is it with you women and that vampire, huh, why can’t you see him for the evil un-dead he really is?”

“Hundreds of brake horsepower, goes thousands of revs and that, it’s awesome!” Buffy was saying to a most impressed Anya, both ignoring Xander

“Well, if you change your mind, I’ll definitely take your place!” Anya said grinning

“ANYA! – Hello, I’m your Jerry Maguire here!”

“Who?”

“Jerry Maguire, Tom Cruise, in the film! Anyway, are we patrolling tonight?”

“Yeah, see you at the Peacefield at about 11?” Buffy said

“I’m going to try and get Spike to let me have a drive of it!” Anya said, still lovingly running her hand over the back wing.

“Oh, well see – see you later then, bye!
chapter 2 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 2



The evening of the race.

Buffy was checking the statutory requirements for the race, ticking them off as Spike read them out:

“Water bottles, 5 x 2 litre”

“Three, four five, check”

“Blankets, two thick heavy, one light”

“One, two and one, check”

“Emergency rations consisting of Chocolate, glucose drink and boiled candy sweets”

“Got the yummies, yup”

“First aid kit”

“Check”

“Spare tyre with all wheel changing paraphernalia”

“Um…tyre, wrench, small ramp and foot pump, check”

“And the spare fuel can – that’s it then, we’re all-“

“No”

“No? – No what”

“We can’t have it. The rules state that under no circumstances are we to carry spare fuel, we HAVE to stop at designated pit stops if we need gas”

“Sod the rules!”

“Look, they check the cars beforehand, and it says here, and I quote:
‘Any competitors not adhering to the stick guidelines of the Race rules are liable for disqualification, these terms are non-negotiable’

“Bleedin’ ‘ell…okay, I’ll just stick it in the corner over there then, okay satisfied?” Spike left the can in the corner of her garage. Buffy nodded and said,

“It’s not me Spike, it’s the rules!”

“Right then, we ready?”

“Yes, we have to register anytime between 6pm and 10pm”

“Okay then, we leave in twenty minutes, that’ll mean we get there at eight o’clock, okay by you?”

“Fine”


************


“Right clear, nothing in here that shouldn’t be, you can continue over to registration for a copy of the course and rule check, good luck, sir, ma’am” The race steward slammed down the trunk of the Desoto and Spike drove slowly towards the registration desk.

“………And your form………thankyou. Okay, here is your official entry number: please put it on the hood or roof of your car so we can monitor your progress via the helicopters - you must quote this at any pit-stop you make, there is no limit on the amount of stops you do make, but a dead heat will be decided on the least number of stops made. You MUST log in and with an official when you stop the race at the hotel, and when you restart you must log out, this is for safety precautions in case you breakdown in the desert, we’ll know if your missing.
Are you aware of the rules?”

Both Buffy and Spike nodded and said ‘yes’

“Then good luck” Spike drove off to just before the starting line, and Buffy stuck their official race number on the roof.

“Right, it’s fixed on…okay lets go log in or out or what whatever it – oh look…there’s Angel”

Spike just gave a cursory glance across to where Buffy was looking. He saw that Angel was frowning, so just to show of a little, Spike revved the V8 engine.

Cordelia looked across with perfectly coiffured elegance, smiled, went to wave, and suddenly remembered that they were rivals, and she looked down her nose at them instead.

Buffy got the card stamped by an official.
Officially the race was to begin at 11pm, with everybody expected to do 500 miles by no later than 8am.

There were quite a lot of entrants, so the start was staggered, with a third starting at 11pm, another third at 11.30pm, and the final lot at midnight. Times would be logged so there could be no cheating.

The race was taking place overnight, as it had been deemed too hot to race during the day, the course had been clearly marked out and they were to rest up for the day at a hotel. This was the reason both Angel and Spike could take part, as there was no daytime driving.

They had registered and were due to leave at 11.30. Spike loved driving, always had. Buffy settled back, they had a CD playing and as soon as they were called to the start line, and given the ‘off’, Spike put his foot down on what was to be the first 500 miles.
They made excellent time, with one comfort stop for Buffy, and got to the designated hotel for just before 6am. Spike had kept his speed to around 70 miles per hour, give or take, and they logged in.

Spike said he’d check over the car, and Buffy went straight to the hospitality room to eat, having only had fruit and some Cola on the way.

There was a knock at the door and Buffy, wrapped in a huge bath towel went and opened it slightly.

“Oh, why did you knock?” Buffy let Spike in.

“Wasn’t sure if um…did you book this room?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Nothing! Well, I just thought that you’d, well, book two singles or something”

“Why?”

“Hey, I’m not complaining here – far from it – a doubles the best!”

“Good – oh who’s that now?”

Buffy slipped her robe on and opened the door; Spike heard Cordelia’s voice.

“Um…no sorry I don’t, try at reception, you never know” Buffy said

“Who’s that babe?” Spike asked, opening the door wide, so if Angel was with her, he’d plainly be able to see into the room, and see it had a double bed………

“Cordelia, she’s broken a nail”

“Fucking hell…stop press, hold the front page!” Spike said, walking away sarcastically.

Cordelia stalked off, and Buffy shut the door.

Spike took a blood pack out of his coat pocket, and fed.

“What time are we leaving tonight?”

“Well, shall we say 7pm – it’s dark and cool enough by then, and we should do the 750 miles easily enough in ten hours, if I keep to a steady 75 miles per hour, but it will leave us a couple of hours grace in case anything happens”

“Is the car alright?”

“She’s fine………I’ve gassed her up and topped up the oil and water, so book an early dinner, we can get logged out and – hello………can you hear Angel’s voice?”

Buffy went over to an inter-connecting door, and listened.

“He and Cordy are next door”

Spike arched a brow, grinning.

“Don’t you get any ideas, you!” Buffy chided.

“Such as?”

“Such as opening this door and going in there”

“THAT thought, NEVER entered my mind!” Spike said honestly. No, he had thoughts more on making Buffy very vocal………and sending ‘Peaches’ round the bend with jealousy!

*******


“All I’m saying is, how come that their room is a double, and ours has two singles, that’s all – I didn’t accuse you of anything!” Angel said.

“Because, that’s why – and I thought you’d want to rest as you are doing all the driving!” Cordelia groused, trying to file her nail smooth.



*******


“Spike, stop it!”

“Come on baby, you know you want to!”

“I, don’t, look Spike – I, it would be like having my mom in the next room, but worse!”

Spike was feeling as randy as hell, the thought of Angel in the next room was having the opposite effect on him as it was having on Buffy.

“Well what am I supposed to do with this then!” Spike grabbed her hand and put it on his huge hardness.

Buffy gave out a little whimper and closed her fingers around him.

She started to feel damp and slid down the bed and took him into her mouth.

Spike let out a long, ‘aaaaahhhhh!’ And Buffy immediately stopped

“Shush, or I’ll stop!”

“I can’t help it!”

“Well, keep it down!”

She returned her mouth to him and began a slow pump/suck action. Spike writhed and wriggled around, letting out hisses and little ooh’s and aah’s every now and again, occasionally letting a little louder whine slip out.

When she began to fondle his balls, Spike had to put the pillow over his head.

Buffy desperately wanted him, and before she could bring him to completion, she suddenly stopped and straddled him, sinking down on him, Spike gave out a strangulated cry, still with the cushion over his head. Buffy was getting to the point of no return, and thought, ‘what the hell,’ and she pulled the pillow from his face. She began to bob faster and harder, and taking this to mean that he’d got free rein to do what came naturally, they both groaned out their mutual orgasms.

Not content with just one orgasm, Spike pulled Buffy forward and rolled them, and still hard, he thrust at her with renewed vigour.
Three hours, and an interminable amount of orgasms through hard athletic sex later, Angel was driven totally mad enough to bang on the inter-connecting door and shout

“For the gods sake, leave her alone and get some sleep!”

“Unh…what, did he…say – ooooohhhhh”

“Don’t, don’t know…oh god, don’t stop love………oh yes………oh god yes, yes, yes, YES, YES, aaaaahhhhh, uhn, uhn, uhn, uhn, ooh, ooooohhhhh………ooh god, that was, ooh!” They were both panting.

Exhausted now, they both fell asleep.

Next door, Angel lay awake seething. How could she let Spike touch her, how COULD she? Was all that went through his head.
chapter 3 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 3



At 5.30pm that afternoon, Buffy went downstairs and got them both something to eat from the buffet that was provided rather than have a big meal – it felt more comfortable for travelling, and as Buffy said, there were snacks available at the various stops along the way.


At 6.45pm, they both went down – Spike was itching to get going, and although he’d already gassed up the car and checked the oil and water, the cars needed to be officially checked again to see nobody was going to cheat. He said to Buffy that he’d do that, while she waited in the queue to be logged out by the officials.

Standing three people behind her in the queue was Cordelia.

“Was that little effort this morning for OUR benefit?” She asked Buffy sarcastically.

“What?”

“All that ‘oohing and aahing, and bouncing the headboard off the wall – because if it was to make Angel jealous, it-“ Buffy had her attention diverted as it was suddenly her turn at the stewards log-out desk.

“Name please?”

“Buffy Summers and Spike, um…Williams, car number 128”

The steward stamped the card and initialled it.

“Ladies, Ladies…can I have one or two of you for a photograph please – you and um, you…and” The press photographer had pulled three ladies from the queue, Cordelia included, and they all stood with their arms around each other, smiling big false smiles, while the photographer snapped away.

Cordelia was mentally patting herself on the back, Angel had argued that a Prada suit was hardly suitable attire to travel hundreds of miles in, but SHE knew better, and thought that there was a possibility of a photo opportunity, she’d have to look her best.
Suddenly spike was at her side.

“Buffy, are you ready love, we should get going” Spike asked

“Yup, ready when you are! – Let me just put this safe” Buffy slid their registration card into the back pocket of her jeans, and they left for the starting line. This time round, they would be in the first third to go.

“Cordelia…Cordelia – CORD – where are you?” Angel came into the lobby looking for his passenger.

Cordelia was talking to the mayor.

“………Of course, I chose the Inner City Garden Charity fund, such a worthy cause, it’s easy to forget when we live in a big city that there are things like trees, and grass and flowers!”

“Exactly my dear…did you know, it’s my charity?”

“Is it – oh, WHAT a coincidence!” Cordelia fawned, touching the mayor’s forearm, lying through her teeth!

“But my, you are a very beautiful woman, how come you weren’t in the beauty pageant we had last month – I know I would have remembered-“

“CORDELIA! At last, I’ve been calling you!”

“Angel! Well I’m sorry, but I’m talking to the mayor!” She tried to sound normal, but she emphasised every word through the gritted teeth of a false smile.

“I can see that, but come on, if we go now, we can be in the first third to go”

“You’ll have to excuse my partner’s exuberance, he’s SO eager to win the money for your charity!”

“Then the best of luck my dear…I shall keep a special eye out for you at the finishing post!”

“Oh thankyou! Bye-bye!” Cordelia gave him a little wave and Angel caught her by the elbow and steered her towards the starting line.

“What’s the hurry- Angel, that was the MAYOR!”

“I know who the oily little creep is – can’t fail to miss him, with his horsy teeth and bad toupee”

“He does NOT wear a toupee! – I think he’s quite cute!”

Angel sighed and Cordelia slid into the bucket seat of the Viper.

She fiddled around with the CD player, and put a boy band on.

“Must you?” Angel groused, he would much prefer to listen to some Mozart or a Puccini opera.

To save argument, they didn’t speak for the first 150 miles.

*************


“Oh dear…first casualties, by the look of things” Spike said, as they had to drive slowly past two cars that looked as if they’d had a crash. It was nothing too serious, because all four occupants were walking around, two of them inspecting the damage of their cars.

One of the marshalling helicopters swooped down, and then made a landing some yards away.

“Did the cheerleader have anything to say for herself in the lobby?”

“Oh, something and nothing, I wasn’t really listening. She made me feel a mess though, in just jeans and a tee-shirt – she had a Prada suit on!”

“Yes, and bloody ridiculous it looked too, I mean come on...what you are wearing is far more practical. Mind you, I bet she’s giving old Peaches earache in the car, ‘ Oh Angel, I’m too hot – turn the AC down, you’ll blow my hair out of place – no, I can’t open a window, I might break another nail!” Spike mimicked. Buffy giggled and delved into the glove compartment for some chocolate, which she shared with him.

“Pit stop two miles ahead, are you okay pet – do you need to stop?”

“No thanks, I’m fine, let me check………yeah, it’s 60 miles to the next one, I’ll be at least fine to that one”

“Hokey Dokey then………do me a favour pet, put that Ramones tape on”

Buffy did as he asked and she sat back, staring out into miles of nothingness as they sped along.

They’d been bowling along merrily, doing a steady 75-80 miles an hour, when Spike saw some headlights looming up brightly in his rear-view mirror.

“Dip…dip your lights, you prat, you’re dazzling me!” Spike groused, trying to look see whom this idiot was in the nearside wing mirror.

“Let him pass, if he’s that desperate” Buffy suggested

Suddenly, Spike saw who it was.

“Not on my bleedin’ existence will I let him pass, it’s tall dark and forehead!”

Buffy sat up and turned around to look, but the pure whiteness of the extra bright headlights dazzled her. She held her forearm up to her forehead to shield her eyes from the glare.

Spike put his foot down, and was nearly touching a hundred miles an hour, the engine was roaring, he didn’t want to push the car this hard this early, but it looked like he had no choice.

Angel kept on putting his foot down, and coming up so fast behind them, nearly rear-ending the Desoto, then dropping back, all the time bibbing his horn.

“Fuckin’ WANKER!” Spike hissed angrily, and swerved when Angel tried to overtake him.

“Careful Spike!” Buffy frowned and turned to look at Angel’s car again.

“Make sure your seatbelts on properly pet, there’s no telling WHAT that fucking idiot will try – NEXT – YOU STUPID SON OF A BITCH!” Angel had tried to creep up on the inside and ‘undertake’, until Spike swerved back into the lane, almost hitting one of the posts that roped off the road.

“Spike, let him pass, we can soon make up the time when they pit-stop. I saw Cordelia drinking loads of juice and water, it’s only a matter of time before they have to stop”

“But what about you, you’ll have to go sooner or later”

Buffy said something that she knew wouldn’t gross Spike out, especially if it helped them beat Angel, something Cordelia wouldn’t do in a million years.

“I can pee into a bottle if necessary, but I’m fine” Spike just grinned and concentrated on not letting Angel pass them.

After a few of hours of hard driving, they seemed to be back on their own again, no sign of Angel’s headlights.

“Do you need to stop, kitten, there’s one coming up in half a mile?”

“Um, do we need gas or something?”

“No, just under half full gas wise and we are nearly half way round, well, we’ve done 340 miles, but we can stop if you want”

They did stop, Spike wiped the windshield of dead insects, and Buffy went to the toilet, and then got them both a snack, the stop took them four minutes.

Lapping the cars that had crashed, they noticed a few more casualties along the way, mostly overheating, there was a long line of cars with the hoods up, steam belching from overworked cooling radiator pumps as the water boiled through them.

One car was having a wheel change.

With more and more cars joining the racing throng, and more and more casualties seemed to build up, making the course that much more dangerous to navigate around. The marshals and stewards were trying to push any broken down vehicles off the main track but it seemed that the breakdowns were building up faster than they could work, and extreme caution had to be exercised.
Chapter 4 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 4



“Buffy, can you hear that noise? I’m going to have to stop”

“What noise?”

“Sort of tapping…I think its the radiator cap worked loose”

“I hope that’s all it is…don’t burn yourself!”

Spike pulled over and popped the hood, and luckily……...

As he looked at the radiator, Angel flashed passed in his Viper, gesticulating with his middle finger.

“BASTARD! Did you just see him flip us a bird – anyway babe, start her up”

Buffy turned the ignition key, and the engine purred to life, with no tapping.

Spike closed the hood and jumped back into the car.

“Right then, make sure you’re belted up properly pet, it’s going to be a bumpy ride”

“Spike, I know you want to beat him, but to finish the course will be enough,
That’s what the bet was, remember”

Spike glanced at her, but said nothing.

He was going to win, he HAD to…his pride wouldn’t let him settle for anything less.

Spike easily caught up with Angel, and managed by some spectacularly skilful driving, to pass him on a hairpin bend.

Buffy giggled, clapped her hands and bounced in her seat.

“Spike! That was amazing!”

Grinning, Spike glanced in the rear view mirror, imagining Angel cussing him blind.

Angel was furious! He even morphed out at one stage, frightening Cordelia.

“Calm down, Angel!”

“Calm down – calm down? I – but, did you see what he did – bloody fucking idiot to overtake on a bend like that!”

“Oh now, come on, you’re just sore because he passed you, you’d have done the same, given the chance!”

His knuckles white as he gripped the steering wheel, Angel said nothing – this whole thing was turning out to be a complete nightmare.

Spike had put his foot down a little, but now they had to slow up, there had been a crash, and there was debris all over the track.

Carefully weaving in and out of hubcaps, a torn off bumper, and broken glass, it wasn’t long before Angel was behind them again, up to his old tricks of blinding them with full-on headlights.

“Aahh Spike – What’s that in the road – oh MY GOD – Is that somebody’s arm?”

Buffy covered her eyes and Spike swerved, seeing at the last minute it was a large lizard.

“Lizard, it was a lizard – god it looked – WHAT THE FUCK!”

Angel hadn’t been so skilful in driving round the animal, and had run over it, the Viper swerved out of control and ran straight into the back of Spike, shunting him off the course. Spike steered them so they wouldn’t roll, but it had been a hard shunt, and now they were on the soft sand, and sinking.

“BASTARD, BASTARD, BASTARD!” Spike banged the steering wheel with frustration, and they saw the taillights of the viper sway up the road away from them, fast.

Spike put his foot down on the accelerator, but all that happened was the back wheels spun, churning up sand.

“Fucking bastard wanker! When I get out of here, I’m gonna – ooohh – I’m gonna nail the bastard to his poncy fucking desk!”

“Yes well, we NEED to get out of here first!”

“I’M TRYING!”

“You’re churning up sand, stop it” Buffy unclipped her belt and opened the car door and got out

“Close your eyes if your pushing, in case the sand whips up and –“

“Not going to push…” she opened the trunk and took out the two heavy blankets, and put them in front of the back wheels.

“Clever girl! Spike slowly edged the car forward, and it worked! As soon as he’d driven the length of the blanket, Buffy replaced them until he was back on track again.

Throwing the blankets back into the trunk, she dived back into the car and they were away again.

“I make it that the poof is…roughly six minutes ahead of us now………there is a stop coming up in…………three miles, you okay?”

“Fine”

“Good, there’s one more after that, the last one, I’ll need gas”

“Okay, make it the last one then”

********


“Whey-hey – justice, that was!” Angel said with grin. Cordelia wasn’t laughing however, and she felt sick.

“It was a lizard, AND YOU RAN OVER IT!”

“But it knocked that bloody bleached idiot off the track, I can picture him now, still churning sand up, probably dug themselves halfway to China by now!”

“If we win, they’ll say we cheated”

“If, what do you mean, if? – Course we’ll win, and who gives a fuck what they say – we can just say it’s sour grapes on their part, they’re bad lose – what, oh NO!”

“What, what?”

“Steam…”

“Where?”

“Coming from the bonnet, look” Angel began to slow down, when they heard a snap and a flapping noise and the engine whined and the car stopped.

“I DON’T FUCKING-“

“Oh god, what NOW?”

Angel got out and slammed the door.

“Fan belt’s busted, SHIT!” Angel held up the tatty split rubber belt, and threw it on the ground with disgust.

“Can’t you fix it?” Cordelia poked her head out of the window

“Yes darling, if you’d just kindly give me the spare one your carrying in that Chanel handbag of yours” Angel said with as much sarcasm as he could muster.

“No need to be sarcastic!”

“There is EVERY need! Well that’s it, race is over for us!” he leaned dejectedly against the car.

“Don’t say that, um…can we sort of, I don’t know, improvise?”

“Are you wearing nylons?” Angel suddenly had a thought and stood up.

“Nylons?”

“Tights, stockings, hosiery, NYLONS!”

“Oh, no, no need, my legs are smooth and tanned, what would I be wearing-!”

“Alright, alright, give it a rest it was just a thought, no need for bloody chapter and verse on how bloody perfect your body is. Are you wearing a bra then?”

Cordelia set her mouth into a hard line, her arms folded, not speaking.

“Cordy…Cordy, I said are you wearing a – oh hell…I’m sorry, okay – I just want to finish this race is all” Cordelia had just turned her head away from him, clearly she was not listening!

“Please love…if you’re wearing a bra, I could utilise one of the straps to make a temporary fan belt”

Cordelia still said nothing.

“Look, I know you – I – pay a fortune for your bloody underwear, but I promise I’ll buy you three replacements, if you just give me the fucking strap of the one you’re wearing!”

“No, I can’t!”

“Don’t you want to win? I thought you wanted your picture in the papers – oh FUCK!”

“And stop SWEARING AT ME!” Cordelia shouted through the window

“I’m NOT swearing at you………that’s ALL I need, how the fuck did they get back on track – oh gods, he’ll NEVER let me live this down!”

Cordelia turned to see Spike driving towards them.

“Well lookie here! I do declare – oh this has got to be the fucking best!” Spike slowed to a stop, and said gleefully,

“Spot of bother, old man?”

“Fuck off!” Was Angel’s reply

Spike clocked the broken fan belt lying in the road.

“Now, now, don’t be like that – oh, fan belt is it – shame you gave up wearing stockings, isn’t it!” Buffy sniggered

Angel marched up to the car to give Spike a piece of his mind.

“You think this is so fucking funny, don’t you?”

“Actually Peaches, now you come to mention it, yes – I do, I think it’s fucking hilarious – Toodle-pip old bean – Buffy what are you doing?”

Buffy had pulled her arms out of her top, and was fiddling about.

“Buffy – what are?”

Slipping her arms back into her tee shirt, she produced her bra.

“Here, use this”

“BUFFY!” Spike looked horrified as she threw the garment to Angel.

“Of all the fucking STUPID – Christ, I don’t believe you!” Spike looked at her incredulously, and knew there was no time to waste arguing, he needed to get ahead again, fast.

Angry he floored the car up the road.

“I DON’T believe you just did that!”

“Look, if we win, he’d say it was because his car broke down, and if we loose, well, we’ll still win because-“

“That’s BOLLOCKS – how can we win if we loose – Jesus…fucking hand him the cheque why don’t you – I’ve seen you do some fucking STUPID things in my time, but THAT takes the fucking biscuit, it REALLY does!” Spike thumped the steering wheel in anger and Buffy felt the tears well up

“And don’t you DARE cry, you KNOW it winds me up”

“All I was going to say was-“

“Save it, slayer, I DON’T WANT TO KNOW!”

It was him calling her slayer that hurt, and the tears fell unchecked down her face.

**********

“Why did she do that, Angel?”

Angel was too busy fashioning a makeshift fan belt out of the bra strap to talk to Cordelia.

“Angel, I said why do you think she did that?” Angel shrugged and said,

“Because she’s a decent person, I suppose, to show me that Spike hasn’t completely brought her down to his level”

“And what level is that – shunting somebody off the track, and then not helping them back on it?” Cordelia asked acidly

“What’s your problem? They managed it alright, didn’t they?”

“No thanks to you” Cordelia said no more.


************


Spike lit a cigarette to calm his jangling nerves. Usually he didn’t smoke around Buffy, she used to waft the air and complain about the smoke damaging her lungs, but at the moment, he was angry with her and couldn’t have cared less.

Angrily he threw the butt out of the window, and looked at her. Buffy had her head turned away from him, looking out of the window, she was still crying a little.

“Oh for f-PLEASE stop crying!”

Buffy sniffed and looked for a tissue

“I’m sorry, okay – but I just couldn’t understand why you did what you did”

Buffy sniffed again, and through sobbing and gulping air she tried to explain.

“I’m sor-r-ry, because…because if (sniff) if they w-win…then it’s by default!”

“How can you say that? If they win, they win, pure and simple!”

“No, it’s NOT!”

“They knocked us off the track, we got back on, they had a breakdown, we gave, sorry *I* gave them the means to fix it, see, if they win, they’d have only won because of us, and their dirty tricks. Whereas if we win, we win, simple as that, no dirty tricks or anything” She wiped her eyes again, still crying.


Spike sighed. What she said sort of made sense, and if the poof DID win, well, he wouldn’t be able to crow about it so much he supposed, since it was with their sense of fair play…

“Please stop crying babe, it drives me crazy!” Spike slowed the car and stroked her hair. This made Buffy cry even more.

“You hate me now!”

“You’re crying because you think I hate you?” Spike asked, surprised

“You called me s-slayer!”

Spike chuckled

“Oh come here, you silly thing…I’m sorry, and I’m sorry for shouting, it’s just that ANYTHING involving Peaches – it just winds me up” Buffy scooched across and lay her head on his shoulder.

Spike kissed her forehead and smiled at her.

“Come on, let’s do our best, eh? At least if we finish the course, like you say, that was the original bet”

Buffy gave him a watery smile and squeezed his hand.

“Thankyou”

“For what?”

“I’ll tell you later, when we’re in the bath together, okay?” Spike grinned and shifted gear and put his foot down.
Chapter 5 by Kings of Mercia
Chapter 5

Author’s note: Thanks to ‘The Simpson’s’ for the loan of Mayor Quimby!



Spike by-passed the pit stop, as his plan was to stop at the last one to get gas before the finish.

There was about 150 miles to go, and it was nearly twenty to four in the morning, they were about forty minutes off schedule, but they could still make it back to the finish in plenty of time.

Buffy had been amazed at how quickly Spike had forgiven her – helping Angel must have really wound him up, she could understand that – but Angel had begun to show his true colours, he was spiteful and self-centred, and after what Spike had spilled about his and Angel’s past life together, it went a little further in explaining their relationship now, well, she understood much better anyway.

They carried on fine, and pulled into the last pit stop with just ten miles to go to the finish, and the inevitable happened, Angel and Cordelia passed them.

Buffy felt her heart sink a little and her stomach flip-flop, Spike’s knuckles whitened for a few moments, then he let his fleeting anger go. Buffy was a little unsure whether Spike had actually seen Angel go past.

“Did you see them pass?” Buffy asked tentatively

“Yup, I saw them pet – who cares eh? – I’m only sorry we didn’t get that money for your mum’s hospital thingie, that’s all”

Buffy had almost forgotten about that and nodded sadly.

“Eh, chin up chick, lets go stand right in front of them when they receive the cheque, hope it pricks his conscience a bit!”

Buffy gave him a wan smile and squeezed his arm gently and nodded.


They crossed the finish line and logged in. There was a while to wait, and when everything was checked they went to get something to eat.

Half an hour later, the winner’s ceremony was to take place, and Spike and Buffy got front row seats.

The mayor stepped up to the podium, and said hello, the microphone gave off feedback and everybody winced.

Mayor Quimby smiled and adjusted the stand a little

“Good morning ladies and gentlemen, thankyou all for coming here at this ungodly hour, to see the annual Arizona Charity Race, sponsored by Ginelli’s Party Snacks and Blackmore Spring water, we have our winners here and – “

A woman of about 55 years old, in a cardigan, wearing glasses crept up to the podium, and looked nervously at the mayor, she was one of the race administrators.

“………I’d like to introduce our worthy winners, everybody!” the mayor continued, ignoring the old lady.

Cordelia and Angel came and stood on stage, beaming and waving to the assembled guests

Spike leaned and whispered to Buffy,

“Worthy, huh!” Buffy smiled and nodded.

Both Spike and Buffy noticed that neither Angel or Cordelia could look at them, even though they were front row centre.

,
“………endured a gruelling 1250 mile race, in…excuse me, WHAT IS IT?” Mayor Quimby bent down and hissed at the old woman who was tugging at his elbow.
She whispered in his ear, and the mayor frowned and said,

“What? – But does that matter?” the old lady nodded vigorously.

“Um, excuse me ladies and gentlemen, there seems to be a, um, a slight hitch, I won’t be moment”

The mayor stepped off the podium and went into a huddle with several of the race officials and the old lady.

“What’s happening?” Cordelia hissed at Angel, smile fixed in place without moving her lips.

“Don’t know” Angel said, waving and Cordelia waved too, and there was another round of flash photography.

The mayor came back to the podium, and looked angrily at Cordelia.

“I’m sorry ladies and gentleman, but due to a discrepancy, there has been a rule broken I’m afraid, and (he turned towards Angel and Cordelia) this couple have been disqualified”

Cordelia dropped her arm from waving and shouted,

“WHAT?”
Angel frowned and went towards the mayor, then looked daggers at Buffy and Spike, thinking they had something to do with it.

Buffy and Spike were dumb-founded and just looked surprised at each other.

“What discrepancy, where? We’ve not broken-“ Cordelia said annoyed, THIS had RUINED her day, and she too glared at the couple in the front row, thinking they had something to do with it.

“I’m afraid you didn’t log out before the race last night at the hotel, your card hasn’t been stamped and initialled by one of the racing stewards”

Angel frowned, and Cordelia went white, then very red with embarrassment.

“What, but you were in the lobby, I found you there, I went to check the car, you went to log- what’s the matter?” Angel was puzzled

“I-I, um, I was erm, well, a ph-photographer came along and I er, well, he um, he pulled me-“

“A photographer? Oh terrific, you just HAD to get yourself in the bloody papers, didn’t you – bloody self-centred, egotistical…” Angel left the stage muttering to himself disgustedly.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the winners of the race are, and we’ve double checked this, I can assure you, Car 128, Mr Spike Williams, and Miss Betty is it – sorry, Buffy Summers!”

The audience clapped and Spike and Buffy were beyond shocked for a few seconds. Then Spike leapt up, pulling Buffy with him and he grabbed her by the waist and swung her round, hugging and laughing. They ran up on stage, and the mayor explained that they’d be a few minutes until a new cheque could be written for the charity they’d chosen.


“Oh gods, I must look a real mess – oh god, I’ve got no bra on now, either!”

“Nonsense, you look gorgeous as ever!” Spike leaned in and gave her a big kiss, which Buffy readily reciprocated.

Cordelia tried to slink off the stage un-noticed, but Spike had other ideas.

“Oh, no hard feelings Cordy, give my best to Angel, won’t you, that’s if he’s still speaking to you!”

Cordelia looked as if she wished the ground to open up and swallow her.

“Spike!” Buffy chided, but she was giggling too.

“Well, serves them right!”

***********


Back home the following evening, Anya held the newssheet out at arms length, and she grinned and said,

“Wow – your picture in the papers eh………it says here that Lacey Memorial will name the room with the new scanner the Joyce Summers room, ah, isn’t that nice!”

Buffy smiled and nodded.

“Er, Buffy…weren’t you wearing a bra?” Anya scrutinised the picture closely.

“THAT is a long story!” She grinned and Spike came over and cuddled her up.

“For another time! Come on kitten, you promised me!” Spike whispered the last three words into Buffy’s ear,

“…An early night!”



The End
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=9186