When I come around by phantomwriter
Summary: It’s another High School fantasy fic. I know, it’s been done, but I wanna give it a shot. Buffy, her sister, and her mom move to Sunnydale to escape her deadbeat dad and the lingering bad memories. Buffy soon makes friends, and even has a boyfriend, Angel. When transfer student William ‘Spike’ Matheson moves to town, everything begins to change. SPUFFY!! AtS characters are also included.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 17174 Read: 8142 Published: 03/21/2005 Updated: 11/29/2005

1. Ch. 1: No Time to Search the World Around by phantomwriter

2. Ch. 2: 'Cause you Know Where I'll be Found by phantomwriter

3. Ch. 3: When I come around by phantomwriter

4. Ch. 4: I heard it all before by phantomwriter

5. Ch. 5: So Don't Knock Down My Door by phantomwriter

6. I'm a Loser and a User by phantomwriter

Ch. 1: No Time to Search the World Around by phantomwriter
When I Come Around

Disclaimer: Still not mine. The PTB’s refuse to let me take control.

Rating. Uh, PG-13 overall, but some chapters will be less. I doubt it will get to R, except possibly language. No smut from me, peeps. Sorry. Although some stuff will be left to the imagination. Do as you please.

Summary: It’s another High School fantasy fic. I know, it’s been done, but I wanna give it a shot. Buffy, her sister, and her mom move to Sunnydale to escape her deadbeat dad and the lingering bad memories. Buffy soon makes friends, and even has a boyfriend, Angel. When transfer student William ‘Spike’ Matheson moves to town, everything begins to change. SPUFFY!! AtS characters are also included.

A/N: I know, I know. I should be working on ‘Feelings’, but the idea for a HS fic has been nagging me. Constantly. My muse is evil. She threatened my penguins. Anywhoo.... Expect this to be a songfic for the most part. Because I like songfics, and I think I’m better at writing them. Artists and song title will be given at the end of a chappie that includes lyrics, but unless otherwise stated, they are ‘original’ to the characters. Expect rock stuff, like Evanescence, Green Day, Velvet Revolver, and Ghost of the Robot. Don’t be surprised if I’m sneaky and manage to get Reel Big Fish in there, however. If you need to hear a song....well....I don’t really know a good site to listen, but if you can find one 1) tell me 2) more power to ya. Trust me. It’ll help. Student and teacher names that you don’t recognize are probably that of people at my school. Maybe even personalities. I won’t be in there, though, because let’s face it; I don’t have much of a life. Tee-hee. And if someone seems particularly evil or something, it’s prolly cuz I don’t like them much. Well, I think I’ve gone on long enough. On to the story!!

Feedback: Yes, please. Reviews are the antidote goodness to my self doubt.


Ch. 1: No Time to Search the World Around


Buffy gazed up at the large building in front of her with disdain. School had officially started over three weeks ago, but despite her lateness, she was terrified. Hordes of students pushed past her, barely noticing the petite blonde standing still. Buffy took a deep breath and took her first step toward the beginning of her junior year.

She arrived at the central office to find a kindly woman with brown hair behind the desk.

“May I help you?”

“Uh, yeah.” Buffy fidgeted with the hem of her fitted black Reel Big Fish tee. “I’m Buffy Summers. I’m new.”

The secretary-Ms. Gleason, as her plaque read-smiled. “Of course. Hold on for just second.” She picked up the phone and dialed an extension. “Mr. Stevenson, would you please send Willow Rosenburg down to the office as soon as she gets in? Uh-huh. Okay, then. I guess you can send her now.” Ms. Gleason hung up the phone and looked back at Buffy. “Willow is one of our top students. She’ll be the one who helps you out these first few days.”

Buffy smiled nervously. “Thank you. I-I appreciate it.”

The door opened, and Buffy turned to see a girl with long red hair standing in the doorway. She seemed rather shy, but there was a underlying power and confidence that had yet to be discovered residing there also. She smiled shyly.

“Hi! You must be Buffy. I’m Willow Rosenburg.”

The corners of Buffy’s mouth twitched. “Yeah. Buffy Summers.”

Willow nodded her head . “Cool. Okay, um, did Ms. Gleason give you your schedule yet?”

Buffy glanced to the older woman. “N-not exactly.”

At that moment, Ms. Gleason grabbed a paper out of the printer. “And now I have. Hot off the press. I guess that’ll be it for now. Have fun, girls.”

Willow clapped her hands excitedly. “Yay! Okay, Buffy, time to go meet my friends!”

Buffy nodded and smiled. “And so it begins.”

*****

Buffy was surprised at how well she was adjusting to her new school. She had already integrated herself into Willow’s circle of friends. It was at lunch that she was introduced to Cordelia, Xander, Oz, Winifred-or ‘Fred’ as was preferred by her, Gunn, Wesley, and the darkly handsome Angel. He seemed to be more of an outcast than the others, however Buffy found herself instantly drawn to him. She caught him staring at her a few times, but whenever she looked up he would immediately turn his eyes back to his chemistry homework. Oz, Gunn, Wes, Angel, and Fred were all seniors, much to Buffy’s surprise. Especially Fred, who was actually sixteen; the same age as most sophomores. It was soon explained that she skipped first and second grade in order to get to more challenging classes, which awed Buffy.

The next Saturday night, everything seemed to change. It was Oz’s idea, but nobody opposed him. They were taking a group outing to the local hot spot, the Bronze. Oz’s band, The Dingoes Ate My Baby, was playing that night for the last time. Three of the band members were moving, so they had no choice buy to split up.

Everyone arrived at the club at 7:30 sharp, and Buffy was amazed at each person’s transformation from their school personas to their weekend-clubbing selves.

Cordelia was the least changed of the group-she merely decided to show more skin now that there were no dress codes being enforced. Her long, dark hair was pulled into a half ponytail and set in loose waves. She was wearing a low cut red halter top with a black leather mini, which seemed to attract the eyes of many guys-especially Xander.

Gone were the baggy shirts that usually dominated Fred’s wardrobe. Instead, she wore a dark pink tank top and tight denim jeans that showed off her petite frame without making her look scrawny. She opted to wear her contacts instead of her glasses, for fear of losing them. Her hair was pulled back into a sleek ponytail that exhibited her slender neck beautifully.

Willow had decided to wear some of Buffy’s clothes, though it took some persuasion. Her long, red hair was parted down the center and hung stick-straight down past her shoulders. She chose to wear a tight maroon V-neck T-shirt and dark jeans that rested low on her hips, making her flat stomach seem even longer.

Buffy settled on her red leather pants and a black tank top. She wore a simple cross necklace that rested just below her collarbone. She put her hair into a messy bun that somehow managed to look chic, which completely confused Willow.

Gunn actually went without his grey zip-up hoodie for a change. He wore a cherry red ‘Independent’ T-shirt and baggy, faded, blue jeans.

Oz’s hair was a dark bluish-purple, and he wore a yellow tee with a button up blue plaid shirt over it. He wore a bit of eyeliner, but not hardly enough to notice.

Wesley was wearing a light blue button down over his plain white tee. This was paired with baggy jeans and a wallet chain that he borrowed from Gunn. Buffy had to admit to herself, when he was relaxed, he was kind of hot–in a geeky nerd way.

Xander even managed to find a Hawaiian shirt that wasn’t overly loud. It was dark green with hula girls and flamingoes, which greatly amused Willow.

Angel-or Liam, as Buffy discovered his name to be-also let loose, but it seemed to be inverse from his usual. He wore no color; instead he wore black jeans that were slightly baggy, a tight black T-shirt, and a black leather jacket. His hair, which normally stuck straight up, was now gelled down. It almost looked as if he had been caught in the rain, but either way, Buffy liked it. Angel may not have been the skinniest of the guys, but he was one of the most physically fit.

After a lot of coaxing from Gunn and Xander, Angel and Wes finally decided to loosen up and join the rest of the group with a dance. Buffy hadn’t really heard Wes talk much before, so she was quite surprised to discover that he was from England. As it turned out, Gunn, Buffy, Xander, and Willow were the only California natives. Cordy was originally from Vegas, which didn’t surprise anyone. Fred was born in Texas, and lived there until she was eight. Angel moved form Ireland to California when he was two, so he remembered very little about his birthplace, and his accent was completely gone.

When the Dingoes finally decided to play a slow song, couples began to pair off. Wes and Willow danced together simply because Oz was unavailable. Fred and Gunn went off on their own, as did Cordy and Xander; which left Angel and Buffy looking at each other rather awkwardly.


Angel seemed to be very interested with a spot on the floor for a while before he finally spoke up. “So, uh....Do you...” He sighed heavily and looked up at the ceiling with a shy smile. He shook his head and chuckled. “God, I’m stupid.”

Buffy grinned broadly. “Well, you’re a guy. That goes without saying.”

Angel gave her a look of mock hurt and slapped a hand over his heart. “Ouch. That was brutal....Well, uh, where was I? Oh! Do you, um, do you wanna dance with me?”

Buffy’s giddy grin turned into a soft smile. “I’d love to.” Angel gave her another shy smile as he grabbed her hand and led her to the dance floor.

The couple swayed silently as the band launched into another ballad. Buffy found herself surprisingly content, but deep down she knew that something was missing. She didn’t know what, but there was a tiny hole that had yet to be filled.

Halfway through the second song, Angel broke the silence. “Buffy, can I ask you something?”

“You just did. But go ahead, please, continue.” She tilted her head back to look up into his soulful eyes.

“Will you go out with me?” he blurted.

Buffy smiled slyly and looked away before returning her gaze to Angel’s face. “You mean, like, be your girlfriend, or ‘I’ll meet you at the Bronze at 7:00 on Friday’?”

Angel chuckled, a sound almost foreign coming from him. “The first one.”

Buffy faked a look of deep concentration. “Okay. I think I could agree to that.” She smiled form ear to ear before taking a step closer to her new boyfriend, so that now their bodies were touching. She tentatively rested her head on his broad chest, and when she received no objection she closed her eyes and sighed contentedly.

From across the club, Xander watched as Buffy and Angel became closer, and a twinge of jealousy hit him. It was true, he had had a crush on Buffy since she arrived at Sunnydale High, but right now he had Cordelia, and no room to complain. Cordelia, on the other hand, had always had a thing for Angel. Now that Buffy was in the picture, she knew that she had no chance.

*****

When Buffy returned home that night, she found her twelve-year-old sister, Dawn, waiting for her. Buffy opened her mouth to say hello, but was cut off by a sharp kick to the shin.

“Ow! Dawnie, what...”

“You ditched me. Again.”

“What? Dawn, I...”

“Was macking on your new boyfriend. I know.”

“I was-hey! How the hell do you know that?”

Dawn crossed her arms and smirked. “I have my ways.” She shook her head. “But that’s not the point. Tonight was movie night. Buffy, I....I...I had to watch Sleepless in Seattle with mom! You KNOW how she gets during that movie.”

Buffy gasped and pulled her little sister into a tight hug. “I’m so sorry, hon. I’ll tell you what, tomorrow the two of us will go see any movie you want. Deal?”

Dawn grinned. “Deal.”

*****

Buffy was sitting in the living room watching TV when her mother entered the room and sat down beside her on the couch.

“So, Dawn tells me you have a boyfriend now?”

Buffy ducked her head and smiled shyly. “Yeah. I still wanna know how she found out, though.”

Joyce laughed heartily. “So do I. So, Buffy, what’s he like?”

Buffy grinned. “Well, his name is Angel...okay, not really. It’s actually Liam something or other. Didn’t catch his last name. He was born in Ireland, but moved here when he was like, two,” Buffy gushed. She took a deep breath before plowing on. “He’s really tall, so dancing can be a little on the tough side...”

At this point, Joyce interrupted, a playful smile on her face. “Sweetie, everyone is tall compared to you.”

Buffy shot her mother an evil look. “That wasn’t very friendly.” She paused to pout for a second, but couldn’t stay silent for long. “Anywhoo, Angel has these deep, penetrating brown eyes. They’re so...soulful. And he has dark brown hair that usually sticks straight up, but he gelled it down tonight and it looked SO hot!” She stopped when she realized her voice was hitting a shrill pitch that Dawn would’ve been proud of.

Joyce laughed at the expression on her elder daughter’s face. “Okay, I get that he’s ‘hot’, but what is he like?”

Buffy contemplated this for a second before starting to speak again, though this time it was in a softer, calmer voice. “He’s really quiet...broody, I guess is the best word. But when he opens up, he can be pretty funny. He’s so sweet though. I mean, It’s crazy. Although the shyness might have something to do with that. I really like him. He seems so much different than the guys in LA. I suppose that’s probably what I like best about him.”

Joyce’s look darkened almost imperceptively as she said quietly, “Looks can be deceiving.”


TBC in chapter 2...



A/N2: I’ve decided that I’m gonna throw Anya into the mix eventually, because of what I have planned. Probably Tara at some point, too. I’m sorry for all the Bangel, I really am, but it needs to be set up before Spike can enter the equation. Also, the Dingoes breaking up was another necessity. Sorry if I upset anyone somehow. You’ll see why eventually. R&R if you like it, R&R if you don’t. Either way, let me know.
Ch. 2: 'Cause you Know Where I'll be Found by phantomwriter
Ch. 2: ‘Cause You Know Where I’ll Be Found


Buffy had been in Sunnydale for nearly two months, and everything was going great, except her relationship with Angel.

Buffy and Angel had appeared like the perfect couple the first month, but things began to change; and not in a good way. Angel had become fiercely overprotective of Buffy, and soon lost his shy, gentle demeanor. He talked back to the teachers constantly, and was starting fights for no reason other than to hit someone. Everyone in the group noticed, but Cordelia seemed to be the only one who didn’t care.

His loud and rude behavior wasn’t what was upsetting Buffy most, though. Despite his overprotectiveness, he began constantly blowing Buffy off, saying he had more important things to do. This deeply upset Buffy, but even more so when she realized that Cordy was blowing Xander off on the same nights.

When she told this to Xander, he was in denial until he was blown off yet again-as was Buffy. They were both devastated, and were fearing the worst. When they enlisted Willow and Fred’s help to find out what was going on, the girls were more than a little reluctant.

“Buffy, how can you be sure of anything? I mean, maybe his grandma Meg really did die. It happens.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and flopped back onto her bed. “Yeah, but not three times!”

Xander sighed heavily. “She has a point, Wills.”

Fred looked around at the group nervously. “Umm...also, this is way to coincidental. I mean, the laws of Chance and Probability would never allow for this to happen on accident. I hate to oppose you on this, Willow, but I think Buffy and Xander are right. I think something is going on between Angel and Cordy.”

Buffy looked around at the small group of friends gathered in her room, silent tears pouring down her face. “So,” she sniffed, “what do we do?”

Willow turned her sympathetic gaze to her friend. “Well, we could always follow them, I guess.”

“Or ask around at the Bronze. Maybe someone saw them there,” added Fred.

Buffy pinched the bridge of her nose. “Maybe we should ambush them at the Bronze.”

Xander looked up slowly. “When?”

Buffy smiled wryly. “Now. Tonight. That’s the whole reason we’re sitting here, isn’t it? We were blown off.”


The forlorn group nodded slowly as they all stood. When they exited Buffy’s room, Joyce ambushed them.

“Where are you guys going? I need someone to watch Dawn while I’m at the gallery!”

Through the wall, a muffled, “No you don’t!” was heard.

Buffy inhaled deeply. “We have business to take care of at the Bronze. Just....take her to Janice’s or something.”

“Buffy, I...” she trailed off when she saw the haunted, pained look in her daughter’s eyes that she herself had worn so often. “Alright. But next weekend you spend with Dawn. Deal?”

Buffy gave her mom a watery smile. “Deal.” With a quick look over her shoulder she signaled her friends, and they continued their somber march forward.

*****

When Xander pulled up to the Bronze, everyone hesitated. It wasn’t until Buffy gave a shaky, “Okay. This is it,” that everyone started to move. One by one they exited the car and hesitated for the last time before entering the club.

Neither Angel nor Cordelia were spotted on the preliminary sweep of the ground floor. It wasn’t until Fred looked up to the balcony and gasped at what she saw that everyone realized their theory was correct.

Buffy slowly followed the path of Fred’s finger, and dropped to her knees when what she was seeing finally sank in. “No,” she breathed. “No, no, NO!” Her screams went unheard by most; the throbbing bass was effectively cancelling out most other sound.

Willow looked at her two best friends, now both broken, and nearly collapsed herself. With a deep sigh she hauled Buffy up off of the floor. “Come on.”

Buffy nodded in silence as they began to ascend the stairs. She was in the lead, with the others following close behind. She was less than three feet away from the oblivious couple, and they still continued their frenzied make out session. Buffy was mildly surprised that they were still fully clothed.

“How could you,” Buffy snarled angrily.

Angel was startled by the sound of a familiar voice and pulled back. He turned to look at Buffy, his tongue still lazily lolling halfway out of his mouth. “Buffy?”

“Yeah. Buffy. Your GIRLFRIEND! What are you doing you lunkhead?!”

“Buffy, calm down. This isn’t what it looks like.”


“Don’t you dare tell me to calm down. And how could this not be what it looks like?! Are you telling me I didn’t just see you shoving your tongue down Cordelia’s throat?”

Cordelia and Xander had both been silent during Buffy’s righteous rant, but it was soon decided that now would be as good of a time as any to intervene.

“Cordelia, what happened? I thought you chose me over your ‘popular’ friends, and then we catch you and Angel making out like...like...well, I guess you are hormonal teenagers, but that’s not the point!”

Cordelia rolled her eyes and huffed. “Harris, I’m sorry. Well, not really. But the truth is, Angel is hot and rich, with parents I wouldn’t be embarrassed to be seen around.”

Xander was fuming. “I thought you’d changed. You think I LIKE listening to the symphony of screams on a daily basis? Do you think I like seeing my dad drunk into an oblivion before I leave for school? Why do you think I live in the basement? I’m sorry I’m not hot and rich like loverboy over her, but there’s nothing I can do about who and where I come from, Cordelia.”

Cordelia’s chin jutted out defiantly. “I know. And I also know that I choose Angel.”

Xander smirked. “That’s funny. I don’t recall Angel giving much input on this ordeal.”

Angel’s eyes darted around nervously. “What do you want me to say?”

Buffy let out a harsh laugh laced with tears. “How about something that remotely resembles the truth?” She paused and took a deep breath. She nervously looked back at her silent friends. Shakily she began to speak, so quietly she was barely heard. “Angel...I-I thought we were in love. You TOLD me you love me, and I reciprocated. You....you were my first. Liam...” She sniffed quickly and chuckled. “But apparently that wasn’t important. Or, maybe it was all you really wanted from me in the first place. Knew I was from LA, and that I had a bit of a past. Maybe you thought I had some experience in the area, and that I could satisfy your little boy urges. Was that it? Angel, was it for the sex?”

Willow, Fred, Xander, and Cordelia were all stunned at Buffy’s numerous revelations. Angel looked down at the floor briefly. When his eyes returned to Buffy’s heartbroken face, he smirked and sighed. “Wow, Buffy. You really have a lot to learn about men, kiddo. But I guess you proved that when we–”

“Don’t,” Buffy gritted out. “Just...don’t.” She wiped her nose with her sleeve. “I’m...we’re done. Go and be happy with Cordelia, since that’s what you obviously want. I can live without you. I did for most of my life. The question is, can you live without me? I was the one who brought you out of your shell. I made you who you are. Remember that, since you since to be so happy with your personality transplant.” She hesitated, and then stepped forward so she was face to face with Angel. “I never want to see you or talk to you. Ever. Again.” She began to walk away before she turned on her heel and slapped Angel across the face with every ounce of strength she possessed. Then she smiled, so sickly sweet Harmony wouldn’t have been able to bear it. When she stalked by Cordelia, she shoulder checked her roughly into the balcony rail. Buffy stopped at the stairs and turned around once more. “Xander, Fred, Willow, let’s get out of here. Let’s go home.”

Fred looked around nervously before linking her arm with Willow’s and beginning down the stairs after Buffy.

Xander soon followed. He, too, paused at the top of the stairs. He threw a wilting look over his shoulder and gave the couple the finger with a demonic smile on his face before hurrying after the girls. He had only descended three steps before he stopped again. Looking straight ahead, he called to Angel, “If you ever go near her again.... If you ever hurt her more than you already have; I will castrate you with a butter knife.” With a sad yet satisfied smile, Xander followed his friends, and with them, began taking steps toward a happier, better life.


TBC in chapter 3....



A/N: I KNOW already! You’re still waiting for Ch. 4 of ‘Feelings’. Well too bad. My muse deserted that set and has been pounding this story into my head with an inflatable squeaky hammer. I hope you noticed, but I kinda made Angel seem more like Angelus in this chapter, and he’ll probably stay that way for awhile. But fear not, gentle readers! Spike enters the picture next chapter. Yay! R&R.
Ch. 3: When I come around by phantomwriter
Ch. 3: When I Come Around



A/N: I just wanted to say that despite the lack of updates on ‘Feelings’ or any other WIP’s, I will never leave one unfinished. It may take awhile for me to update, but everything will eventually come to a conclusion. That being said, I may even decide to continue ‘Whisper’ and possibly ‘Yellow’. But I won’t unless I get feedback saying I should. Now that everything is cleared up...enjoy chapter 3!! And for all intents and purposes, Buffy’s singing voice isn’t Sarah Michelle’s singing voice. It’s much more haunting, like Amy Lee. For that matter, it pretty much IS Amy Lee’s voice. But whatever. Haunting is the key word.




*****


Buffy was a wreck. Her confrontation with Angel at the Bronze had happened over two weeks ago, but she still couldn’t escape it. The look on his face, the throbbing music, and the severe drop in the pit of her stomach that she had felt at seeing him with Cordelia were still vividly clear.

At school she plastered on her happy mask, as did Xander, but no one called them out on it. No one had the heart.

She was sitting at her usual lunch table with her friends, letting their giddy conversation wash over her as she hummed softly to herself. She didn’t notice when the conversation dropped out at first, instead she just continued her quiet humming.

“Wow,” Willow breathed.

Fred looked up with big eyes. “Buffy, that’s beautiful.”

Buffy blushed and ducked her head. “It’s nothing.”

Gunn squinted his eyes. “I know my music, but I gotta say, I’ve never heard that tune before.”

Buffy bit her lip and cast her eyes downward. “That’s because I wrote it.”

Oz looked up, a hint of interest on his face as he ran a hand through his eggplant colored hair. “I didn’t know you sang.”

“I don’t. Much. I write songs, and I play a little bit on piano. Nothing too serious.”

Fred’s face lit up. “So does Wesley! And Charles plays drums!”

Buffy sighed, knowing what was coming. “Okay, so who else plays something?”

Xander scratched the back of his neck. “I play guitar...some.”

Willow smiled at Oz. “Well, Oz plays bass, of course, so he’s trying to teach me. Personally, I think I’m gonna stick with bassoon.”

Fred nodded. “Yeah, trombone is so much easier than anything else. Well, for me, at least.”

Buffy’s eyes nearly popped out of her head as she examined Fred’s petite frame and tried to picture her playing trombone. Then, for the first time in weeks, she laughed. “I can’t believe it–all of my friends are music geeks!” Soon thereafter the whole table erupted in laughter.

They were still laughing when a deep British voice cut through to their ears.

“Sorry to interrupt the gigglefest, mates, but I was wondering if one of you lot could help me.”

Buffy looked up to identify the source of the voice. When her eyes met their target, they nearly met her jaw on the floor. Standing before her was a figure so statuesque, she wondered whether he was flesh or marble. He was a young man, probably a senior, Buffy guessed. And he was gorgeous. Standing a lean six feet tall, Buffy could see his defined abs and pecs through his skintight black tee shirt. He was wearing tight black jeans, heavy black boots, and a long black leather trenchcoat. His hair was a bleach blonde mess of curls that looked like he had just rolled out of bed. The thing that mesmerized Buffy the most, however, was the intense sapphire of his eyes, which were accentuated by the razor edges of his impossibly high cheekbones. He began to speak again, which broke Buffy out of her reverie.

“Just transferred from Epsom, just outside of London, so I don’t exactly know my way around. Was assigned to have some bleeding jock wanker Riley something-or-other show me around. Didn’t much care for him.”

“Join the club,” muttered Willow under her breath.

The yet unnamed Brit gave a crooked smile. “Part of why I decided to come to talk to you lot.”

Buffy finally found her voice. “A-and the other reason?” she breathed. “And your name, if you would be so kind.”

“William Matheson. But I prefer Spike, if you don’t mind. And you, kitten?”

Buffy’s mouth opened and closed wordlessly like a fish for a second before her voice returned to her. “I-I’m Buffy. Buffy Summers. And I’m gonna call you William, William. I don’t exactly know you well enough to call you Spike.”

William cocked an eyebrow. “Is that so, pet?” Buffy nodded. “Then what should I call you? Buffy sounds an awful lot like a nickname to me. And I don’t know you well enough to call you by a nickname, love.”

Buffy jutted her chin out defiantly. “Then what do you call ‘kitten’, ‘pet’, or ‘love’? Buffy is my real name. Hate to disappoint, but it’s on my birth certificate and everything if you don’t believe me.”

William chuckled, a hearty rumble that echoed in his chest. “Touche, pet. But please, call me Spike.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Fine. Whatever.”

Xander looked up at the new object of attraction for every female within a two-block radius. “So, bleach boy, why are you here again? Talking. To us. Like we’re some kind of talking buddies?”

Buffy scowled at her friend and Spike mimicked her previous action of rolling her eyes. “I need a new tour guide. That, and these two here,” he gestured to Oz and Gunn, “seem to be fellow musicians.”

Willow’s mouth opened. “Holy crap. We were just discussing that before you came along.”

Oz stood up, though it did little for his height, and stuck out his hand. He smiled when Spike took it. “I’m Daniel Osborne. Call me Oz; everyone does. I, uh, play bass.”

Spike nodded, a look of thought crossing his beautifully carved face. “Good to know.”

Gunn followed suit and stood up, which was much more impressive, and also shook Spike’s hand. “Charles Gunn. I play drums. So, what about you? What’s with the quest for musicians?”

Spike smirked. “Well, I play guitar. And sing, believe it or not. I just figured since I’m living in California, what better place to start a band?”

There was a sharp intake of breath from Willow, and the beginning of Buffy’s name spoken before the name’s holder clapped her hand over her friend’s mouth.

Spike merely raised an eyebrow at the little exchange. “So, who else plays a useful instrument?”

Xander and Wes exchanged a look before tentatively raising their hands.

Spike pointed to Xander. “You?”

“G-guitar,” he stammered.

Spike nodded and looked pointedly at Wes.

The quiet Brit rubbed his chin. “Um, piano, keyboard. Anything to that effect.”

Spike sucked his cheeks into a grin. “Right. Names. Guitar Boy!”

Xander jumped and nearly fell of his chair. “Yeah?”

“Name.”

“Xander Harris.”

“Great. Brit Boy?”

“Wesley Wyndham-Price.”

Spike clapped his hands together. “Very good. Now, the question is, do you four wanna join the band?”

The four young men looked at each other. Gunn smiled and spoke up first. “I think I speak for all of us when I say, ‘Hell yeah!’”

There was a murmur of assent at the table and Spike nodded. “Right. What do you say, first rehearsal next weekend, my garage?” He pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down his address four times. “Well, I’ve got to go find my next class and decide if I want to go. I’ll talk to you lot later.” Buffy watched, mesmerized, as he walked away.

Xander looked around at the table, then at the slip of paper in his hand. “Did I just join a band?”

*****

Spike’s mind was reeling. Not only had he gotten a band together, but he had met the most beautiful girl he had ever seen as well. His Uncle Giles had never told him about the beautiful American girls that attended school in Sunnydale. He had been quite shocked to find another Brit at school, but got the impression that Wesley would get along much better with his librarian uncle.

Ever since his mother died, Spike had been bounced between relatives before taking matters into his own hands. He had finally decided that, if allowed, he would move to California and live with his mother’s brother. There was no one remaining on his late father’s side who would take him, so he abandoned the refined English upbringing that had been a part of him for so long.

Friends and relatives had been shocked when his cultured upper-class accent was replaced by a rougher cockney lilt. Little color was included in his wardrobe, and punk rock soon became his passion. In the time that he lived on his own before he moved to America, he made new friends, and though they may have reflected poorly on him, he didn’t care about others’ opinions. He didn’t let anyone get close to him, because if he did, he felt like he was somehow insulting his parent’s memory. So he built a wall around his blackened heart. A wall that had yet to be broken, but was already being worn down by a petite blonde with emerald green eyes.


He was walking down the hall, lost in thought, when he ran into something quite solid.

Spike growled in frustration. “Oi, watch it, mate!” He glanced up to find a man about two inches taller than himself glaring down at him.

“You’re new. I get that. So I’m gonna lay down the rules nice, okay?” Before he knew it, Spike was shoved up against the lockers. “Stay the hell away from Buffy.”

Spike opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by a dark-haired girl latching herself to his attacker’s arm.

“Oh, Angel, leave Billy Idol alone. Now if you’re a good boy and follow me, I might have a special surprise for you.” She bit her lip and raised an eyebrow seductively before running off.

Not surprisingly, Spike found himself free from the big oaf in a matter of seconds. He shook his head and laughed before bending down to retrieve his scattered books. He was startled yet again when small hands covered in black lace gently deposited the books in his outstretched arms.

“Here you go, my pretty William. Miss Edith and the stars told me I might find you here, and Miss Edith is never wrong. So, my pretty William, why did nasty Angel knock down someone as ... effulgent... as yourself?” The strange girl had not blinked her enormous eyes the whole time she had been speaking, but they were closed now. A gentle smile was on her face as she swayed back and forth, as if she was dancing to and unheard melody.

Spike studied her a moment before speaking. “I beg your pardon, but what is your name? And for that matter, how do you know mine?”

Her eyes opened languidly. “Sweet William, you ought to know! Naughty boy!” She shook an accusing finger at him. “I am Drusilla, of course. And you...” She reached out to touch Spike’s face, but recoiled as if she had been burned. A look of horror and disgust marred her features. When she spoke again, her voice was hollow and sounded haunted, and shook slightly with every word. “You taste like ashes.”

Spike chuckled. “Could be the smokes, pet”

“Shh! I can see her, surrounding you. She’s everywhere, laughing. She’s all around you...inside you, even, and you don’t even know it.” Drusilla sniffed pitifully and stood up. “I’m sorry I couldn’t save you, sweet Willy. Goodbye.” And with that she left, as quiet as a shadow.

“Quite the odd bird, she is,” Spike muttered to himself before standing and walking in the opposite direction of the peculiar British girl. He had no idea of the weight that her words carried until he passed by Buffy in the hallway after school. Then, suddenly, the pieces slowly began to fall into place.

*****

Buffy had barely made it down the stone steps in front of the school before she heard a rich British voice calling her name. She whirled around to see Spike jogging up to her. “Um...hi, Spike.”

He gave Buffy a lopsided grin. “Are you walking home?”

Uh, yeah. Driving and Buffy are like...unmixy things, so...” She trailed off and looked up sheepishly.

Spike laughed and jammed his thumbs into his belt loops. “Well, what do you say I give you a ride instead, yeah?”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “Spike, we just met!”

“Well, call it an opportunity to get to know each other, then.” He bent down slightly to look into her eyes. “Please?”

“Alright, fine. But if you try anything...”

Spike raised his hands in mock surrender. “I’ll be a perfect gentleman, I promise.” Buffy laughed and began to follow him to his car. They walked in silence for a little while until Spike spoke up again. “So, who’s this Angel bloke I ran into? Friend of yours?”

Buffy sighed and began to speak, but faltered when she realized Spike was holding the car door open for her. “You drive a DeSoto?”

“Yeah, what of it?”

“Nothing.” She climbed in and buckled her seatbelt as Spike closed the door and walked around to the other side.

He got in and closed the door before turning to look at Buffy. “You never answered my question, love.”

Buffy continued looking out the windshield. “What question?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Bloody hell. You know what question, pet. Who’s Angel?”

She snapped her head around to look at him. “Why do you even care?”

“Let’s just say we...ran into each other, and he made it very clear that I am not to be anywhere near you.”

Buffy chuckled and looked back out the windshield. “He’s my lowlife, cheating, jerk of an ex-boyfriend.” She turned in her seat again. “You know what? I used to think his eyes were all beautiful and soulful. But they’re not. They’re big and dumb, like a cow’s. He has big, dumb, cow eyes.”

Spike smiled, but stayed silent. After a minute or two he quietly began to speak. “He hurt you real bad, didn’t he?”

Buffy’s lip began to tremble, and before she knew it, she had unbuckled her seatbelt and flung herself onto Spike. “I just wish it would stop. It all hurts so much, and I just want it to stop. I loved him. I gave him EVERYTHING I had, and he threw it all away to be with Cordelia.”

Spike did nothing but hold her while she cried. He rubbed her back soothingly, but he couldn’t coax any words to spill forth. So he held her while she cried and clung to him as if her life depended on it. When her breathing returned to normal. He felt her pull away.

“Will you take me home now?” Her eyes were red-rimmed and glassy, and silent tears still fell.

Spike reached out a hand and wiped her tears away with the pad of his thumb, and smiled when she leaned into his touch. “Of course, love. Where do you live?”

“1630 Revello Drive.” Buffy took a steadying breath and smiled. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to get all Lifetime story of-the-week on your shirt.”

Spike chuckled softly and looked down at his soaked T-shirt. “It’s alright, kitten. I’ve got plenty more at home.” With a small smile in Buffy’s direction he turned towards the front of the car and started the ignition.

The two blondes were silent for the entire car ride. When Spike pulled up to Buffy’s driveway, she smiled gratefully.

“Thank you.” Spike nearly nodded in response. Buffy was nearly out of the car when she felt a hand come to rest softly on her elbow. She turned and gave Spike a quizzical look as he handed her a scrap of paper.

“It’s my private phone number. I, uh, have my own line. But, Buffy, if you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to call. I don’t care if it’s 1:30 in the bloody morning. If you need someone to talk to, or just a shoulder to cry on, whatever it may be, call. Okay?”

Buffy didn’t even realize that she was leaning forward until she felt her lips brush softly against her cheek. The spark that passed between them did not go unnoticed by either teen, but neither of them commented on it. “Thank you.”

Spike watched in silence as she walked up the stone path to her house. When she disappeared through the front door, he let his head fall back. “What the bloody hell have I gotten myself into?”

TBC in Chapter 4....

A/N2: I would just like to say, I realize that Cordy isn’t as evil as I’m making her, but I figured I needed to get her out of the way in order for Anya to enter the picture, and she sorta ended up with Angel anyway. I realize that this story is probably really cliche, but give it a chance. I also realize that James Marsters isn’t 6 feet tall, but I don’t really care. It was a round number. Also, should Dru come back, just for a bit of psycho humor? Feedback is always appreciated!
Ch. 4: I heard it all before by phantomwriter
Ch. 4: I heard it all Before



The day of the band’s first rehearsal arrived quickly, and Spike soon found himself setting up amps and a drum set in his garage. The rest of the band wasn’t supposed to show up for another half an hour, but Spike was already warming up.

Gunn was the first to arrive, and his jaw nearly hit the floor when he saw the new drum set that was waiting for him. He turned to look at Spike, who had an amused smirk on his face. “How...?”

“I’ll tell you when the rest of the group shows up. Until then, feel free to try it out, mate.”

Gunn nodded and slowly walked to it, eyes unblinking. He had just sat down on the drum throne when Oz and Xander arrived, instruments in hand.

They, too, looked at the drum set with awe. When they looked at Spike, he merely shook his head, blue eyes twinkling mischievously.

Oz was the first to come around. He shook his head quickly to clear it and then looked back at Spike. “Where do you want us?”

“Oz, you can go over to Charlie Boy’s left. Xander, you’re on the right.”

Xander nodded and gestured to their latest arrival. “What about Wes?”

Wes, however, had already began setting up his keyboard slightly behind Xander. “I’d imagine I go right around here.”

Spike gave the thumbs up. “Perfect.”

Oz had been playing an old Dingoes song when an idea struck him. “Uh, guys? What is our name gonna be?”

The group fell deathly silent.

Xander tentatively raised a hand. “We could be.....oh, nope. Never mind.”

The silence continued until Wes spoke up, albeit rather timidly. “Black Frost.”

Spike laughed out loud suddenly as the rest of the group simply looked confused, none of them understanding what had transpired between the two Englishmen.

When Spike finally calmed down he decided to enlighten the group. “Black Frost is a British beer. Great stuff.” He thought for a moment. “Though, it tends to make you act quite neanderthal-like if you drink too much, if I do recall.”“


Wes smiled and nodded before addressing the other three. “What do you guys think?”

There was a murmur of agreement, but Gunn’s voice stood out. “Yeah, Black Frost is great. Still wanna know about the set.”

Spike ran his fingers through his hair. “Steve, a new friend of mine, works at the local music store. Got me a huge discount.”

Xander looked puzzled. “Who’s Steve?”

“You know who he is. Senior, skinny little bloke, about four inches shorter than me?” At the black stares he was receiving, Spike rolled his eyes. “Dreadlocks?”

At once, looks of recognition crosses everyone’s faces and a simultaneous “Oh,” echoed throughout the garage.

Oz shook his head with a smile on his face as he looked around the garage. He frowned slightly as he noticed a think manila folder sitting behind Spike. He raised a quizzical eyebrow and asked quietly, “Umm, dude? What’s in the folder?”

Spike looked back and smiled. “That would be some songs of mine.” He looked up at the group. “Do you wanna take a look?”

Gunn was practically bouncing in his seat with excitement. “Gimme my music! I wanna hit something, man!”

Spike chuckled. “Right-o, then.” He carefully put down his guitar and grabbed the heavy papers. The other band members were stunned when they found individual sheet music being placed in front of them. “You lot do know how to read music, right? I mean, yeah, it’ll have to be memorized, but this is easier.”

Oz looked up, admiration shining bright in his eyes. “How the hell did you manage all of this? I mean, printed sheet music? Damn.”

“That’s the beauty of it. I have this lovely little computer program running up in my room where all I have to do is sing it and play the different parts on a MIDI keyboard. The computer does the rest.”

Xander laughed shrilly. “This is so cool! I’m in a band. And we have music. To perform.”

“Bloody hell,” Spike muttered. He squinted his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose as he tilted his head back. “Oz, does the Bronze have any specific rules about vulgarity in the bands’ performances?”

Oz seemed to consider this for a moment before shaking his head in the negative. “Nope. Just have to make an announcement or something like that.”


Spike gave a heavy sigh of relief. “Good news for us, then.” He paused for a moment, contemplating what to say next. “Go ahead and look through your music, then, and we’ll try to find one to start practicing.”

Gunn and Oz both looked up a moment later, their eyes shining with delight.

“Man, this is awesome! You’re starting–and ending–a song with just drums and bass?” Gunn was beaming. “I could kiss you.” Spike’s eyes widened. “But I won’t. Anyhow, I definitely vote for ‘Longview’.”

Oz nodded emphatically. “Oh yeah. Definitely.”

Spike grinned. “Well, I guess it’s settled then. Wes, Xander, grab ‘Longview’ if you would. You guys can choose the next song, alright?”

Xander gave the thumbs up and Wes saluted their band’s leader.

“There we go, then. Start us off, Charlie Boy.”

An hour and a half later, the band had played through virtually every song, and surprisingly, with very little difficulty. At one point, Oz had even commented that they should be able to play at the Bronze the next week.

Slowly, Spike stood up and stretched, popping his spine back into alignment. “Well, mates, I think that’s good for today. When do you next want to get together? Tomorrow?”

There was a low rumble as everyone agreed and began collecting their things.

“Oi, Xander! Care to hang back for a bit?”

Xander looked at Spike, startled. “Uhh, sure. But, uh, what about my ride?”

Spike waved a hand dismissively. “Not a problem. I can give you a ride. I just need a little of your time.”

Xander nodded and sat down, while Spike grabbed a couple of Cokes out of the cooler. “So, um, what...what did you need to talk to me for?”

Spike tossed a can to Xander, and popped the tab of his own. He paused thoughtfully before taking a swig. After he had swallowed, he looked back at the other guitarist. “Tell me about Buffy.”

Xander blinked stupidly. “Wha-who?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “You know, the little blonde chit that sits with you at lunch? Big green eyes, dimples?”

“Yeah, I know who Buffy is. Just-why? I mean, what do you want to know?”

Spike ran his fingers through his platinum locks. “I dunno. Anything. Everything.”

Xander bit his lip. “I don’t really know that much. She hasn’t exactly been open and honest. She’s a bottler. She bottles.”

Spike frowned. “So, what you’re trying to tell me is, you know nothing?”

Xander lifted his chin defiantly. “I know some stuff.” Spike raised an eyebrow. “I do! She has a little sister named Dawn and she lives with her mom. I don’t really know much of anything about her life before Sunnydale. Whenever one of us asks, she just...freezes. All I know is that she was accused of burning down the Hemery High School gym in LA.”

Spike chuckled into his can of Coke. “Was she the one who really did it?”

Xander shrugged and took a sip. “No idea.” He hesitated for a moment. “Why the sudden interest?”

Spike cocked his head to the side. “She...intrigues me.”

“She intrigues everybody, Spike,” Xander said with a laugh. “Listen, in my opinion, if you want to get to know her, you gotta talk to her; not me.” He stood up and stretched. “Now about that ride home...”

*****
(Monday afternoon)


Buffy sat in the back of her advanced algebra class, tapping her pencil anxiously. She had been listening to her teacher, Mr. Schaar, drone on for an hour, and she was still no closer to understanding inverses of functions, or anything else that had been said. She desperately wished Willow was in her class, but alas, her best friend was in trigonometry. Oz was sleeping next to her on the table, drooling slightly. Despite his senior status, he was in a class with mostly sophomores and juniors due to numerous absences.

“Oz,” Buffy whispered, prodding him slightly. “Oz, wake up. Schaar is giving you the evil eye.” He still remained asleep. Sighing heavily, she grabbed her water bottle and quietly unscrewed the cap. She made sure that Mr. Schaar had his back turned before deftly dumping water over Oz’s head.

“Wha-I’m up! I’m up.” He turned to look at Buffy and raised an eyebrow.

She smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, but you sounded like you were gonna start snoring soon, and that definitely would have been of the bad.”

Oz smiled gratefully. “Thanks, Buff.”


With Oz now awake, the last half hour of class seemed to fly by. When the bell rang, Buffy couldn’t get out of the room fast enough. She was nearly to her locker when she heard her name above the din in the hall. She turned around to see Spike standing behind her, surprisingly with a nervous expression on his handsome face.

She smiled as she opened her locker. “Hey, Spike. What’s up?”

He ran a hand through his hair, loosening the curls that were held into place so rigidly by gel. “I...uh...bloody hell, I’m such a ponce.”

Buffy bit her lip and raised her eyes to his. “Is there something you’re trying to say, William?”

He jerked his head back. “Hey, watch it.” He paused again before lowering his eyes to examine an invisible spot on the floor. “This Friday, the band is playing at the Bronze. Do you...would you, er, be interested in going? You don’t have to, but, we’re not playing all night, so...” He trailed off sheepishly.

Buffy tucked a strand of hair behind her ear nervously. “I don’t know. I haven’t been to the Bronze since the night-” she shook her head and wiped her eyes hurriedly. “Anyway, it doesn’t matter. I’ll try.”

Spike smiled genuinely. “Great. I’ll see you there at seven.”

“Is that when you go on?”

“Yeah, but I have to be there at 5:30 to set up.”

Buffy smiled shyly. “6:30 it is, then.”

“You’re blushing, pet.”

She reached a hand up to her face. “Wha-no. It’s just...it’s really hot in here. They must have the heat cranked up.”

Spike’s eyes roamed her body appraisingly. “Love, you’re wearing shorts and a tank top.” He curled his tongue behind his teeth and raised an eyebrow seductively as he took a step closer. “You sure it’s the furnace that’s getting you hot?”

She rolled her eyes and slammed her locker shut. “I thought English people were all, like, proper and stuff.”

Spike chuckled. “We’re not all like Wes. I’m one of a kind.”

“Were you born this big a pain in the ass?”

He stopped walking and waited for Buffy to turn around before backing away. “What can I tell you, baby? I’ve always been bad.”

Buffy smiled as she turned around and called to him, “I find that hard to believe, William Matheson.”

“She sees right through me, doesn’t she?” Spike mused to himself. “Hmm. ‘When you look you see right through me,’” he sang. “I like it.” He shook his head once more and smiled before turning and walking to psychology, humming the entire way.

*****

“Oz! Oz!” Spike ran after the tiny bassist; Xander, Wes, and Gunn hot on his trail.

Oz’s hand froze on his van’s door. “Yeah? What’s up?”

“I call an emergency practice at my house.”

“Okay, uh, why, though? I mean, we’re all set for the gig on Friday.”

“I just wrote a great new song. Didn’t hear a single word Graves said in psych because I was so busy writing. I managed to write out some of the parts, even.”

Gunn’s eyes lit up. “Can you show us how you get it onto the computer, then? Cause, man, I SO wanna see that done.”

The others agreed, nodding their heads vigorously.

Spike rocked back on his heels. “Alright. I’ll see everyone in five.”

They all nodded again and headed off to their separate cars, none of them noticing principal Snyder peering through his blinds, smiling maliciously.

Five minutes later, the members of Black Frost were gathered in Spike’s rather large bedroom. Before any of them knew it, the song had already been sung and recorded. After listening to it and looking over their parts, they wholeheartedly agreed that it would be added to Friday night’s lineup.

*****

It was 5:00 Friday night, and Buffy had already gone through every outfit she owned–twice. She was scanning over the clothes strewn about her room when she saw something peeking out from beneath her pillow. Running a hand through her hair exasperatedly, she stalked over to her bed and threw the offending object across the room.

She smiled when she saw her dark green halter dress. “Finally, something presentable.” She pulled her long golden hair away from her face, leaving half of it down in back as well as a few face framing tendrils. She rimmed her large eyes in black, giving her an edgy yet seductive look. She nearly fainted when she realized it was already 6:15. After swiping on a coat of nude gloss, she grabbed her purse and shoes.

“Buffy, where are you going?”

“Mom, I told you, Oz’s new band is playing tonight at the Bronze. Except, I don’t know if it’s actually Oz’s band, but he’s in it...” She shook her head. “Whatever. I gotta go.”

Joyce sighed as the door slammed behind her daughter. “Have fun.”

*****

Spike’s jaw nearly hit the floor as he saw a nervous Buffy walk through the club’s door. He snapped back to reality when he felt a drumstick hit him in the back of the head.

“Ow! Bloody hell, what was that for?”

Gunn grinned. “You, uh, wanna give that back?”

Spike narrowed his eyes as he tossed the offending piece of wood to the drummer. He inhaled deeply as he plugged in his guitar, desperately trying to calm his nerves. He hadn’t been nervous until he saw Buffy, but now he felt like ridding his stomach of everything he’d eaten in the past twelve hours. His heart leapt into his throat when he heard the announcer, Lorne, begin to introduce them.

“All right, kiddies. I’d like you to give a warm Bronze welcome to these high school newbies. Come on, give it up!” Lorne began clapping, and everyone else soon followed.

After the applause had dwindled, Spike stepped toward the microphone. “All right. We’re a band called Black Frost, and we sincerely hope you have a great time tonight. And anyone who has a problem with vulgarity, I strongly suggest you leave now.” Spike smiled when no one left. “Great. This is a song called ‘Longview’.” He turned and winked at Gunn, giving him the signal to start the song.

Oz waited a few bars before he began to play. He laughed softly when he heard Willows excited scream of, “Go, Oz!”

Buffy was sitting at her usual table with Willow, but both of them found it odd not having Xander sitting next to them. However, it definitely wasn’t Xander that Buffy was focusing so intently on. Spike had all of her attention, and the mere sight of him was enough to make her drool.

He was wearing black leather pants that were so tight it looked almost as if they had been painted on. He had on a tight black wifebeater that was at least one size to small, but yet it wasn’t midriff baring. Without his leather duster, Buffy noticed his bulging biceps, and desperately wanted to simply touch them. Several rings adorned his long fingers, and there was a simple silver chain around his wrist. A matching chain hung around his neck, dipping slightly at the curved contour of his pecs. Both him and eyes had dipped into the eyeliner, but Spike was wearing much more, drawing the focus to his crystalline blue eyes.

Buffy’s breath hitched in her throat when he met her eyes and began to sing.

♪Sit around and watch the tube but nothing’s on
♪Change the channels for an hour or two
♪Twiddle my thumbs just for a bit
♪I’m sick of all the same old shit
♪In a house with unlocked doors
♪And I’m fucking lazy

Buffy felt the thud as the drumbeats picked up. Spike, Xander, and Wes all began playing their respective instruments, headbanging slightly. Buffy grinned and turned to her friend. “Come on, Wills. Let’s go dance.”

♪Bite my lip and close my eyes
♪Take me away to paradise
♪I’m so damn bored I’m going blind!
♪And I smell like shit

Buffy and Willow laughed out loud as they shoved their way toward the stage. Everywhere they looked, people were getting up from their tables and migrating to the dance floor. The girls were shocked to find Fred in front of the stage, thrashing her head violently to the music. However, as the song calmed, so did she.

♪Peel me off this velcro seat
♪And get me moving
♪I sure as hell can’t do it by myself
♪I’m feeling like a dog in heat
♪Barred indoors from the summer street
♪I locked the door to my own cell
♪And I lost the key

Spike was having a blast. He hadn’t expected the crowd to react as positively as they had, considering Black Frost was a brand-new band. The thing that thrilled him most, however, was seeing Buffy beaming up at him from her spot on the floor.

♪Bite my lip and close my eyes
♪Take me away to paradise
♪I’m so damn bored I’m going blind!
♪And I smell like shit

Buffy was amazed at Fred’s hyperactivity, but rationalized it by remembering it was Gunn’s first performance at the Bronze, and she was probably on a caffeine buzz.

♪I got no motivation
♪Where is my motivation
♪No time for motivation
♪Smoking my inspiration

Adrenaline was still rushing through Spike’s veins as he looked at the enormous crowd that had began to dance. He had never experienced anything remotely similar, and he quickly realized that he was a born performer. The band was cruising through the song like they were all stage vets, simply playing at yet another show. The thought thrilled and terrified Spike.

♪Sit around and watch the phone but no one’s calling
♪Call me pathetic call me what you will
♪My mother says to get a job
♪But she don’t like the one she’s got
♪When masturbation’s lost its fun
♪You’re fucking breaking

Buffy felt a chill run down her spine and intense wave of nausea when she was Angel grinding with Cordy, his cow-like eyes scanning the club. At Willow’s questioning look, Buffy shook her head and continued to jump around the makeshift mosh pit.

♪Bite my lip and close my eyes
♪Take me away to paradise
♪I’m so damn bored I’m going blind!
♪And loneliness has to suffice
♪Bite my lip and close my eyes
♪Oh, slipping away to paradise
♪Some say “quit or I’ll go blind”
♪But it’s just a myth

Xander’s last chord faded away as Spike continued to play along with Oz and Gunn. However, all of them were soon drowned out by the roar of the crowd.

Oz put a hand over his mic and turned to Spike. “I gotta say, I’ve never seen the Bronze this pumped.” He paused as a slow smile spread. “They love us!”


End Ch. 4


A/N: Whew. That was a long chapter to write. Chapter 5 is gonna take off right where this one left off, continuing at the show. I’ll probably stay at the Bronze for another chapter or so, depending on how much YOU people want. Leave me reviews telling me to stay at the show (or go home!) and I will follow the majority. The more suggestions and whatnot I get the faster the updates. Possibly. Probably. Anywhoo, on that note, the more reviews I get, the longer this story will probably be. Keep in mind, this is my first fantasy fic, as well as my first long story. R&R! BTW– look for the continuation of my story ‘Whisper’ under the name Allison, who has been kind enough to adopt it. Keep those potatoes peeled! REVIEW....OR ELSE!
~Lyrics: ‘Longview’ by Green Day
Ch. 5: So Don't Knock Down My Door by phantomwriter
Ch. 5: So Don’t Knock Down My Door


Buffy was still gazing up at Spike when she felt a gentle hand on her arm. When she turned to see who it was, she was taken aback to be looking into the large brown eyes of Angel.

“Hello, Buffy,” he said softly.

Buffy clenched her jaw tightly. “Why are you here?”

Angel looked down. “Because I just noticed how much of an ignorant jerk I was toward you. Because I noticed something tonight that I never thought I would.” He looked up, tears pooling in his eyes. “I don’t love her, Buffy. I never did. But I do-”

“Don’t,” she spat. As much as she tried to be angry, she felt her resolve crumbling away. Her voice began to tremble. “Don’t say it, Angel. Please.” Her voice was barely more than a whisper, but to him it seemed like she was screaming.

“Buffy,” he pleaded. Tears were now slipping down his cheeks, and his voice was shaking with emotion. “Please. I love you. I never meant to hurt you. I’m so sorry, and I love you so much.”

“Angel...” she trailed off because of the lack of trust she had in her voice. When she felt herself being pulled into his embrace, she didn’t resist. Buffy looked at him through shining eyes. “Why?”

He kissed her forehead tenderly and pulled her closer. “I don’t know. I’m sorry.”

Spike looked down at the couple in front of him and flared his nostrils angrily. He turned around to face the band. “Change of plans. Get ready for ‘Goodnight Sweet Girl’ instead.”

Gunn looked confused. “But what about ‘Slither’?”

“We’ll get to it later,” snapped Spike. He turned to face the crowd. “Thank you. You guys are fantastic.” The moment he began to speak, Buffy looked straight at him. He held her gaze unblinkingly as he stepped closer to the microphone. “This next one is a little bit slower. It’s called ‘Goodnight Sweet Girl’. I hope you enjoy it.” He gave a slight nod as he began to play his guitar.

♪Are we done for now
♪Or is this for good
♪Will there be something in
♪Time with us, there should
♪Only girl for me is you
♪There can be no other one
♪If I didn’t have faith
♪I would come undone
♪So much promise in your eyes
♪Seems that I can only see
♪It always makes me wonder
♪If you save it all for me
♪Maybe you do
♪Maybe you don’t
♪Maybe you should
♪Probably won’t

The guitar began to pick up speed, and Spike and Buffy’s eyes remained locked, while Angel remained oblivious.

♪’Cause there will be...

The rest of the band joined in and Spike turned away, instead looking down at his hands drifting effortlessly over the guitar. Buffy sighed dejectedly and turned to dance with Angel. Spike and Xander continued to play a little guitar duet as they jerked their heads in time with Oz, Gunn, and Wes.

♪There will be other guys
♪Who will whisper in your ear
♪Say they’ll take away your sadness and your fear
♪They may be kind and true
♪They may be good to you
♪But they’ll never care for you more than I do

Buffy nearly fainted as Spike’s voice gained a sexy rasp as he sang the high notes. She couldn’t help but notice his eyes fixed on her yet again.

♪I’ll be always there
♪Here to the end
♪I can’t do much
♪But be your one true friend
♪To the end
♪To the end
♪Our lives to spend
♪With each other to the end
♪Of time

Spike was practically screaming onto the microphone. He held out the note as long as he could before resuming his duet with Xander, this time with increased intensity. He then branched off into a solo; Xander, Wes, and Oz playing backup chords. His fingers danced over the frets of his guitar, enchanting the crowd with every note.

♪Still see the promise in your eyes
♪And still wonder if it’s for me
♪But I know it’s still there
♪Even when you sleep
♪So I say
♪Goodnight, sweet girl

The last note went nearly unheard by the club’s patrons, as well as the pain behind it, because of the rapturous applause. Spike was panting, not out of exertion, but out of anger at seeing Angel’s arm snaked around Buffy’s tiny waist. Lorne must have noticed, because he was in front of Spike, mic in hand, withing seconds.

“Well how about that, huh? All right, while our band takes a short break, our resident DJ Robin Wood will keep you all entertained. Give it up for our band!”

*****

“What the bleeding hell is wrong with that bloody woman?” Spike bellowed. Wes visibly flinched as his new friend kicked an empty crate across the room.

Oz opened and closed his mouth several times before asking, “Who?”

Spike rolled his head around in a circle. “Buffy. She just went back to him. Just like that.”

“Who?” Xander gulped as icy blue eyes flashed in his direction.

“Who do you think, you sodding whelp? Angel. Tall, dark, and forehead. After what he did to her, she just accepted him with open arms.” He flexed his fingers. “I’d wager he whispered a few sweet words to her. And she ate it up like it was bloody chocolate. It’s all bollocks. Every bit of it.”

Xander’s face hardened. “She’s back with Angel?”

“Yes. No. I don’t know!” Spike continued his angry pacing for a few laps around the storage room before he stopped in front of a concrete wall. “Why would she do that? To herself?”

Oz took a deep breath. “To herself, or to you?”

Spike clenched his jaw for a few seconds before letting out a feral roar and punching the wall. The rest of the band flinched at the resounding crack of bone meeting concrete. Spike looked down at his bloody knuckles before he began laughing hysterically.

“Hey, uh, you boys ready to go back onstage? They’re waiting for ya.” Lorne had poked his head into the back room, a look of worry etched on his face.

Spike inhaled deeply and plastered a fake smile on his face. “Yeah, we’re ready.”

Lorne smiled before he caught sight of Spike’s bleeding hand. “Hey, slim, what happened to your knuckles?”

“Nothing. We’ll be out in a second.” Spike flexed his fingers to test their mobility before nodding to his friends. “All right. We go out there, play ‘Slither’ and ‘Hanging by a Moment’, and then we’re done. Got it?”


Everyone nodded and silently followed Lorne back onstage, where they were greeted by a roar from the crowd.

*****

“Buffy, take me back?”

Buffy’s breath caught in her chest. “I....Liam,” she choked, “I can’t.”

Angel laughed weakly, panic and disbelief evident. “Why not. Buffy, please.”

“Angel, you will always be in my heart. Know that. But, our time is over. There’s no going back. Not for us. Not after what you did.”

He nodded, tears streaming freely down his cheeks. “Okay,” he said, backing away. “I love you.”

“I know.”

*****

Spike walked to his place onstage to see Buffy standing alone, a single tear falling slowly down her face. He took a deep breath as he turned to the band. “One, two, one, two, three, four.”

The band launched into the song, and Spike was impatiently waiting for the tempo change. He smiled when he heard it, and began to sing.

♪Hey...hey....hey
♪When you look you see right through me
♪Cut the rope, fell to my knees
♪Fallen, broken, every single time

The crowd was pumped yet again, flocking to the impromptu mosh pit. Gunn laughed when he saw Fred jump up and begin crowd surfing. Willow and Buffy had reunited and were head banging to the music, goofy smiles plastered on their faces.

♪Always keep me under finger
♪That’s the spot where you would sue me
♪Might see some type of pleasure in my mind

As the tempo seemed to slow, Buffy quit her frantic thrashing and began snapping her hips side to side with the drums. Spike inhaled sharply as she reached back and pulled out her hairtie, causing her golden waves to cascade down her back and shoulders. He had never seen anything so beautiful. One look into her eyes, and Spike had nearly forgotten his previous anger, if not the throbbing in his hand. Almost.

♪Yeah, here comes the water
♪It comes to wash away the sins of you and I
♪This time you see

The tempo picked up again and Buffy resumed her head banging, laughing as her hair whipped around her face.

♪Hey....hey...hey
♪When you seek me you destroy me
♪Rape my mind and smell the poppies
♪Born in blood in every single time

Spike was nearly ready to abandon his guitar, grab the mic off the stand, and crowd surf as well. His intuition, however, told him to stay put, so he did. He was rewarded with the sight of Buffy being hoisted into the air, a look of ecstasy on her face.

♪Always keep me under finger
♪That’s the spot where you might linger
♪But I see some type of pleasure in my mind

Buffy didn’t know what it was, but she felt some sort of connection to Spike when their eyes met as she returned to the ground. In his sapphire blue eyes, she saw a swirling vortex of emotion. What hit her hardest, though, was the heartbroken pain that seemed to reside in a place hidden behind excitement, and something nearly unidentifiable. She had the sneaking suspicion, however, that she knew exactly what it was. Lust. She had a similar suspicion that the same lust could be seen in her eyes, thought she’d never admit it.

♪Yeah, here comes the water
♪It comes to wash away the sins of you and I
♪This time you’ll see
♪Like holy water
♪It only burns you faster than you’ll ever dry
♪This time with me

Spike held out the last note as long as he could before closing his eyes and leaping into a solo. The pain in his hand seemed to disappear as his fingers slid effortlessly over the frets of his guitar. His solo seemed to go on forever, but his eyes soon snapped open as he opened his mouth to continue singing.

♪When you look you see right through me
♪Cut the rope, fell to my knees
♪Fallen, broken
♪Every single time
♪Yeah, here comes the water
♪It comes to wash away the sins of you and I
♪This time you’ll see
♪Like holy water
♪It only burns you faster than you’ll ever dry
♪This time with me

Buffy was tempted to crawl up onto the stage with Spike, but decided against it as the band began jumping around erratically. She flinched as she saw the head of Gunn’s drumstick fly off, but laughed when it hit the back of Xander’s neck.

♪Hey...hey...hey

The crowd erupted into cheers as the song diminished. Spike was still slightly angry, but the look on Buffy’s face calmed him, albeit minimally. It was as he looked into her bright emerald eyes that he realized how true the words of the next song were. Though he barely knew her, Spike was falling in love with Buffy. More surprisingly–he welcomed it.

He reached up a hand to wipe the sweat from his brow as he stepped closer to the microphone. “Well now, wasn’t that fun? Alright, we’re gonna slow it down...again...with a song that we like to call ‘Hanging by a Moment’.” Spike covered the mic. “Xander, you can take this one alone, right?”

Xander had a deer-in-headlights look before nodding the affirmative.

“Great.” Spike quickly walked over to the side of the stage and carefully deposited his guitar into its stand. He looked pointedly at Oz, who nodded and started sliding his hand up and down the neck of his bass, thus beginning the song.

♪Desperate for changing
♪Starving for truth
♪I’m closer to where I started
♪When chasing after you

Spike deftly grabbed the microphone and walked over to the edge of the stage, leaning out toward the crowd precariously.

♪I’m falling even more in love with you
♪I’m letting go of all I’ve held onto
♪I’m standing here until you make me move
♪Just hanging by a moment here with you

Buffy stood transfixed by Spike, completely ignoring dance requests. Except when Parker Abrams approached her. She slapped him, as much for his lewd comments as being...him.

♪Forgetting all I’m lacking
♪Completely incomplete
♪I’ll take your invitation
♪If you’ll take all of me

Spike heard the chorus approaching and decided to make his move. Before she knew it, Buffy was being pulled up onto the stage. Even when she was completely up, Spike didn’t let go of her hand, and the two blondes locked eyes for what seemed like the millionth time that night.

♪I’m falling even more in love with you
♪Letting go of all I’ve held onto
♪I’m standing here until you make me move
♪Just hanging by a moment here with you
♪I’m living for the only thing I know
♪I’m running and not quite sure where to go
♪And I don’t know what I’m diving into
♪Just hanging by a moment here with you

Buffy nearly fainted onstage. She barely knew Spike, but yet she felt a deep connection that she couldn’t place. It was deeper than anything she had ever felt for Angel. It was raw. Pure yet primal, and it remained unnamed. She knew she was falling for Spike, and the thought thrilled yet terrified her. Her head told her that she couldn’t feel anything so powerful for a boy...man...she just met. Her heart, on the other hand...

♪There’s nothing else to lose
♪There’s nothing else to find
♪There’s nothing in the world
♪That could change my mind
♪There is nothing else
♪There is nothing else
♪There is nothing else

Spike closed his eyes as he dropped Buffy’s hand and began backing up. He inhaled deeply, pausing when he felt the edge of the stage. He opened his eyes and gave the tiny blonde a small smile before falling backwards. Within seconds of his tilt he felt dozens of hands passing him around as he continued to sing.

♪Desperate for changing
♪Starving for truth
♪I’m closer to where I started
♪Chasing after you

Buffy had stopped breathing the second Spike had fallen over the edge, and she didn’t resume the action until he was next to her again. He didn’t take her hand, though. He instead opted for lightly grazing her cheek with one of his long fingers before turning to return the mic to its stand.

♪I’m falling even more in love with you
♪Letting go of all I’ve held onto
♪I’m standing here until you make me move
♪I’m hanging by a moment here with you
♪I’m living for the only thing I know
♪I’m running and I’m quite sure where to go
♪And I don’t know what I’m diving into
♪Just hanging by a moment here with you

Willow and Fred squealed with delight at seeing their friend so obviously taken with the handsome blonde Brit. Even if Buffy didn’t know, the two girls could see the hidden passion as clear as day. No matter what she said, Buffy had never been so blatantly head over heels for Angel as she was for Spike.

♪Just hanging by a moment (here with you)
♪Just hanging by a moment (here with you)
♪Just hanging by a moment here with you

Spike grinned and panted heavily as he looked at the screaming crowd. Never in his wildest dreams did he expect reactions to his music to be as huge as what the Bronze patrons were delivering.

“Thank you, all of you,” he shouted into the mic. “Give it up for Charles Gunn on drums! Wesley Wyndham-Price on keyboard, as well as most of the backing vocals! Daniel ‘Oz’ Osborne– bass! Xander Harris on the electric guitar! And me, Spike Matheson! We’re Black Frost, and we hope to play for you again sometime.”

Spike then handed the microphone over to Lorne, who was grinning like a madman. “And you will! One last time, give it up for Black Frost.” While the audience was applauding, Lorne turned to look at Spike. “Just so you know, I have great contacts at all the major record labels.” He gave a conspiratorial wink before once again telling the crowd to enjoy the DJ’s music.

Ten minutes later, all of the band’s equipment was loaded up, and Spike was on the prowl for Buffy. When he spotted her, he snuck up behind her before purring into her ear, “So, how about that dance, love?”

TBC in Ch. 6: I’m a loser and a user....

A/N: I should prolly say this now. In case you haven’t noticed, the chapter titles are the song lyrics to the Green Day song ‘When I Come Around’, so they really don’t have anything to do with the plot. *Whew* Another long one. I must say, I’m disappointed. I’m not getting nearly the feedback that is desired. If you’re not careful, I may decide to start holding out on you! O_o
I know the emotions seem to be coming forth REALLY quick, but I look at it this way: 1) they’re not all over each other like bunnies in heat every time they see each other, and 2) Spike’s emotions DID come on suddenly for Buffy. I know hers didn’t, but this is my twisted universe and I can do whatever I want. PLEASE review! Beware of the flying esophagus monkeys...

Lyrics: ~ ‘Goodnight Sweet Girl’ - Ghost of the Robot (haha! James actually sings that one!)
~ ‘Slither’ - Velvet Revolver
~ ‘Hanging by a Moment’ - Lifehouse
I'm a Loser and a User by phantomwriter
Ch. 6: I'm a Loser and a User


Buffy spun around, eyes wide. She couldn't believe Spike's timing because a slow song had just begun to play.

"Pet?"

Buffy smiled warmly. "Yeah, I think I can put my loneliness on hold for a little bit."

"Glad to hear it," Spike laughed.

He gently took Buffy's hand and led her to the center of the floor. Slowly, his hands went to her waist as hers raised to his neck. Spike tilted his head to the side as he listened to the music. "Great song."

Buffy inched closer to Spike, not realizing he was doing the same. "It's Aerosmith, isn't it? 'Don't Wanna Miss A Thing'?"

Spike tightened his grip on the girl in his arms and smiled. "Very good, pet."

"What can I say?" Buffy sighed as she moved even closer. The bodies of the two blondes were now touching, though neither seemed to care. "I know my music."

They continued dancing for a minute or so in semi-comfortable silence before Buffy nervously spoke up. "You, uh....You guys were fantastic tonight." She bit her lip and looked deep into Spike's crystalline blue eyes. "YOU were fantastic."

A wry smile began to form on Spike's lips. "Is that so, pet?" Buffy nodded. "And what song did you like best?" She sighed in defeat at Spike's playful glare.

"Question first."

Spike quirked an eyebrow. "What's that, love?" He gulped, fearing what was coming next.

"The last three songs that you guys played. Not 'Longview' obviously, but the others... Were they about me in any way?"

Closing his eyes and inhaling deeply, Spike nodded, berating his inner William all the way. "We, uh, weren't gonna play 'Goodnight, Sweet Girl' tonight, but we kind of changed plans."

"Why?" Spike opened his eyes and gave her a pointed look. "I just mean...Spike....you sounded so, I dunno, pained?" She nodded. "Yes, pained when you sang it."

Spike bit his lip. "It was just... I don't know. After knowing what the wanker did to you, seeing the two of you together really got to me." Spike hesitated before saying softly, "I couldn't bear to see you hurt that way. Not again."

Buffy reached her hand up and caressed Spike's cheek. "Well, whatever sparked it, it was my favorite. Probably." They both laughed, and Buffy cautiously rested her head against Spike's muscular chest.

The blonde duo had finally grown comfortable with their dance when the song changed. As the new one began to play, Buffy let out an excited shriek and began to speak in sync with the recording. "Oh. My. God. Becky, look at her butt..."

Spike's eyes widened in horror. "Uh-uh. No bloody way, pet."

"Aww, come on, Spike," Buffy said, her voice suddenly dripping with seduction. Slowly at first, she began to grind against him. "Don't you wanna dance?"

The phrase 'bloody hell' was on Spike's lips, but as she pulled his arms tighter around her, coherent thought became hard to come by.

Buffy was, to say the least, surprised when she felt Spike begin moving rhythmically with her. She pressed herself closer to him and ran her hands up his stomach and chest. When she saw Spike's jaw tense and his eyes roll back into his head, she inhaled sharply. She was in awe that she held so much power over a man, let alone him.

The two were oblivious to the increased amount of space they had around them as the crowd parted to watch. At the bar, a tall brunette turned to Lorne.

"Damn, check them out. That is HOT, yo. I'm telling ya, mad skills."

"Calm down, cupcake," he said as he handed her a tray. "You've got work to do, Faith." She pouted slightly as she gave her boss doe eyes. Lorne's forehead creased as he looked at her. "You okay?"

"Five by five."

*****

Three hours later, both Buffy and Spike were ready to collapse. They finally retired to the table and were met by the wide eyes of Gunn and Fred.

"What's up, Charlie boy?"

"You two just put me and my girl to shame, man. Long live the new Lord and Lady of the dance."

Buffy snatched Willow's glass of water and took a gulp before asking, "What do you mean?"

"What he means," Fred said shyly, "is that the two of you had the club's undivided attention the entire time you were out there."

Spike laughed disbelievingly but faltered when he saw the serious looks on his friends' faces. "You bloody well better be kidding." He closed his eyes when everyone shook their heads at him. "Oh, balls. So they saw everything, then?"

"Don't worry, Bleach Boy. Buffy did a pretty good job at hiding any... excitement ... that there might've been," Xander laughed, clapping a hand on Spike's back.

Buffy grabbed her purse and stood up. "And that would be my cue to exit stage left."

"Don't tell me you're walking home, love."

"Unless you have a better idea?"

Spike stood up and draped his long leather duster over Buffy's shoulders. "Of course I do. Let me give you a ride. It's not safe to walk alone at night, love. You never know what kind of nasties might be lurking around a dark corner."

Buffy shivered. "Thank you, William, for reestablishing my fear of the dark. Now, where's your car?"

"Right this way, pet," he said, placing his hand on the small of her back. "G'night, mates."

"Bye, everybody!"

*****

Buffy smiled as Spike shut her door for her but sighed dejectedly when he got in moments later.

"Love?"

"My house- it's not far enough away," she whined.

Spike's eyes glinted mischievously. "What, not getting enough quality time with your Lord of the Dance?"

Buffy's lip trembled, as did her voice, when she attempted a weak smile. "Not nearly."

"Buffy, are you alright?"

"What happened tonight? With us?"


Spike cocked his head to the side and squinted. "As far as I know, we put the Bronze's unofficial professional dirty dancers to shame. Pet, what's going on?"

She shook her head. "Sp...William...Not then. When you were onstage. You were so angry, but then you weren't. I'm just..." Buffy sniffed pathetically and wiped her eyes.

"You really have no idea what you do to me, do you?" Spike whispered softly. Buffy answered his question with a head shake, indicating the negative. "When I saw you with the Great Poof, I lost it." He held out his injured hand for her to inspect. "Ended up playing a bit of wall versus fist."

"And who won?"

"Well, neither is broken, so we'll call it a draw." Spike lifted his hand slowly out of Buffy's and cupped her cheek.

"And what you sang in the last song?" Buffy inquired, leaning into Spike's gentle touch.

Spike took a deep breath. "I love you, Buffy. I know it's sudden, but I knew it when I first saw you. You're special, Buffy."

She smiled genuinely. "You're different, too, Spike." She paused, knitting her brows in thought. "Now whether that's a good thing or not is still to be decided..."

The entire time they had been talking, they were leaning toward each other, even if it was unknowingly.

Spike's face was mere inches from Buffy's, their breath mingling in the heavy air. "Buffy," he whispered huskily. "I think I might kiss you."

She brought her eyes up to meet his, which were now navy with passion. "I think I might kiss you back."

"Well, bully for me, then," he whispered against her lips.

Buffy couldn't take it any more. She lunged forward, closing the remaining distance and capturing Spike's lips with her own in a hungry kiss. Her small hands moved up to his neck and threaded through the short, soft hair she found there.

The ferocity of the kiss dissipated quickly, but there was still intense passion hiding behind the tenderness. Buffy moaned into Spike's mouth as he sucked on her lower lip. He growled slightly in pleasure as Buffy plunged her tongue into his mouth with renewed vigor.

It wasn't until they pulled back to catch their breath that the kiss was broken. The couple rested their foreheads against each other.

"Wow," Buffy breathed. "That was...wow."

Spike chuckled. "Glad you thought so. I sure as hell couldn't think. At least, not coherently, or anything I want you knowing about." He stroked her cheek gently. "I should probably be getting you home, Goldilocks."

Buffy stuck out her bottom lip in a childish pout. "I don't wanna."

Spike smirked and leaned forward. "Watch that lip. I'm gonna get it."

"No," Buffy squealed, giggling and shrinking away.

"You're no fun," Spike muttered, narrowing his eyes and copying her pout.

"I'm plenty of fun," Buffy purred as she crawled to sit on Spike's leather-clad lap. His eyes opened wide as he pushed her back into her seat.

"Sorry, love, but it's past midnight, so I think Cinderella needs to be getting home."

Buffy gasped. "How long past midnight?"

"Um..."

"How. Long?!"

"About half an hour."

"Oh my God. Go!" She ran a hand through her hair as Spike started the ignition and threw the car into drive. "Ohh, mom's gonna KILL me!"

Spike gave her a sidelong glance. "Pet, if you want me to go in and explain to your mum, I will."

"And say what? 'Sorry, Mrs. Summers, I couldn't get your daughter home on time because we were making out in my car'?"

"Damn," Spike muttered. "Yeah, didn't exactly think that one through."

Two minutes later, Spike was screeching to a halt in front of Buffy's house.

"Thanks for the ride," Buffy called as she leapt out of the car and ran for the door. "See you tomorrow!"

"Buffy!" Spike yelled in a stage whisper.

"What?"

He put a finger to his lips and pointed to the tree outside her bedroom window. Buffy seemed to take the hint as she stealthily ascended the tree and disappeared into her house.

*****

Buffy had just put on her pajamas when her cell phone began ringing shrilly from inside her purse.

"Hello?"

"Buffy! You picked up!"

Buffy smiled. "Uh, yeah. What's up, Wills?"

Willow wasted no time in getting to the subject that she wanted. "Did you kiss him? Did he kiss you? Was there kissage of any sort?"

"Willow," gasped Buffy.

"What? I need my vicarious smoochies."

Buffy chewed her lower lip. "Yeah. There was definitely kissage."

Willow squealed. "And sparkage?"

There's a definite possibility," Buffy replied, flopping back onto her bed.

*****

Saturday found the members of Black Frost sitting in Spike's garage, discussing new music.

"How do you guys feel about ska?" Spike asked suddenly.

"What's that?" inquired Gunn, who was absently juggling drumsticks.

"Punk with horns," Wesley supplied.

Gunn smiled, as did Xander and Oz. "Sounds fun."

Spike nodded. "Good. Look, I was thinking, maybe we should talk to the Jazz band and see if they would play with us."

"I happen to know that most of them happen to be fans of Reel Big Fish," Wes said quietly. "But I'm not gonna be the one to go in there."

Spike raised a questioning eyebrow and nodded. "Alright. I'll do it, then. Now, all it seems I have to do is go in there without being killed."

*****

"STFU, renob!" a small redhead laughed. "JJ, as much as it pains me to say, the rest of the Jazz band doesn't want to hear about your lack of a sex life."

Spike's eyes widened at the scene in front of him. The twenty or so musicians that made up Sunnydale's Jazz Prism were all yelling random phrases and profanities at each other, and the teacher was nowhere in sight.

"Hey," one of the drummers exclaimed suddenly as he abandoned playing the Beastie Boys song "Girls". A mallet was pointed directly at Spike, and the other one was in the position to be thrown. "Who the hell are you and what are you doing in my bandroom?"

The redhead girl raised an eyebrow. "Little bit of senioritis, Justin?"

Justin pinched his fingers together. "Little bit."

"Sorry to intrude," Spike began. "But I have a bit of a proposition for you."

A girl with long blonde hair looked away from her bari sax music to raise an eyebrow at Spike. "And what would that be?"

"I'm told that you are all fans of Reel Big Fish."

The entire jazz band smiled as one and said, "Oh yeah."

Spike laughed. "Well, how would you lot like to play a little bit of ska with my band at the Bronze on Friday?"

A dark-haired trumpeter held out his hand expectantly. "Let's see the music."

"Alright," Spike said, nodding. He reached behind him and pulled out a stack of paper and began handing it out.

"'Good Thing', huh?" the female drummer asked. "Sounds good, but do you really need another drummer and two more bass players? It seems like overkill to me."

"I've actually given that some thought, and I've discovered a solution."

"And that would be..." the redhead questioned.

"My band will do backup vocals, and you guys will play your instruments."

"Uh, you have a pianist, right?" a skinny boy with partially bleached hair asked. "Because I doubt Mr. Clair will wanna play."

Spike bit his cheek. "Yeah, I think Wes can stay with his keyboard. He already sings backup, anyway." He paused and looked at the eerily still musicians that filled the room. "Uh, maybe we should do some introductions. I'm Spike Matheson."

The blonde girl on the end of the front row nodded. "I'm Kailey."

A tall, dark-haired boy on her right looked up, pulling his bari sax out of his mouth. "Call me Shattuck. Everyone does."

Spike nodded. "Right-o."

Another dark-haired boy, this one with glasses, lifted a hand. "Levi." He paused and gestured next to him. "Usually Steve sits there, but he's absent."

"There's a big surprise," Kailey muttered.

The blondish boy stood up and stuck out his right hand. "Hi, I'm JJ. But you can call me 'sexy'," he said with a slight lisp as he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

The redhead next to him rolled her eyes and smacked the back of his head. "Talk normal, moron. It's not the weekend, remember?" She paused before looking up at Spike. "Hi," she said with a grin. "I'm Kayla. Sorry you have to witness the psychoticness that is us."

Spike winked and nodded. "Not a problem."

The next person in line was a shorter boy with light brown hair. "I'm Rob. And so far, I'm liking this music. Did you write all of this yourself?"

"Yeah."

"Wow," JJ murmured. "Another Matt. Almost."

The group laughed, leaving Spike quite confused. "Right, then. Trombones?"

A tan, dark-haired girl smiled widely. "I'm Jen. Or Jenny. Or Tippy. Or Fish. Whatever. Just not 'hey, you'."


The boy sitting on her left furrowed his eyebrows. "No. Not Fish. Fish is mine." His voice suddenly turned throaty and harsh. "My precioussssss."

"Jeremy," Kayla snarled in a similar, although slightly more accurate, voice. "You suck."

The blonde, bespectacled boy Jeremy frowned and pretended to cry. "Why are you so mean to me?"

"Shut up, Jeremy," Jenny, Kailey, and Kayla said in unison.

"Hi," the dark-haired trumpeter from before laughed. "I'm Noah. Brittany is getting a drink, but she's the blonde on my left."

A girl with long dirty-blonde hair on his right smiled. "I'm Kelli. It's nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine, pet. I must admit, you are a lively bunch, aren't you?"

Everyone nodded.

A girl with wavy blonde hair wearing a black T-shirt smiled. "Sup? I'm Courtney. A freshman. Don't hurt me!" she cried, cowering. She then stood upright and laughed. "Okay, so not that worried, but whatever. Josh is gone today, but I dunno why."

"Alright. I'll try not to forget him, then," Spike said, chuckling.

The drummer already identified as Justin stood up and crossed his eyes. "Buenos dias, muchachos," he sing-songed. Spike raised an eyebrow. Justin sat back down. "Sorry, had to do it."

A tan boy with short dark hair was playing "Crazy Train" on his bass. He looked up, fingers still flying. "Hey, I'm Jordan. But you can call me King Jordan." At the eye rolls he received, he sighed heavily. "Or not. Jessie isn't here today. Go figure. And neither is Nick. But that's okay because he sucks."

Spike grinned. "Well, I guess that's everyone, then."

*****

Willow bounced on Buffy's bed giddily. "So, do you think you'll see him again? I mean, in the smoochies sense?"

The door shut behind the small blonde with a quiet snap, and she crossed her arms. "Now, Wills, didn't you come here to help me with chemistry? Something about studying for the big exam?"

Willow rolled her eyes. "Screw the exam. There's a whole best-friend love-life loophole thingy. And you never answered my question," she finished with a pout.

A slow smile spread across Buffy's face. "There's a definite possibility." She flopped onto the bed, next to Willow.

"Meaning?"

"Meaning....my God, Wills! Have you SEEN him? He's...perfect. Sorta." Buffy made a face. "How 'bout he seems perfect? Too soon too tell, and all that."

"He loves you," Willow said pointedly.

"And what does that mean? He loves me, but after the whole Angel debacle... Let's just say I'm reluctant."

Willow gently took Buffy's hand. "Spike is NOTHING like Angel. Nothing. Capital N. With Angel, when I looked at you two, something always seemed...I dunno...off...with him."

Buffy looked down. "I should've seen it. I should have known."

"No," Willow said firmly. "Don't go there. That's not what...I see you and Spike, and it looks right. The way you two are. You just fit. Like peas in a pod. Bonded peas."

A smile began to spread across Buffy's face, and she hugged Willow tightly. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For being a friend."

TBC....

A/N: Wow. I'm so sorry that took so long to write. I have a new job, so my life is pretty hectic right now. I hope this chapter didn't suck too bad. I know I said I wouldn't include myself, but I lied. I had to get (last year's) Jazz Band in there. Sorry. And really, you people have to listen to RBF. I hope to be getting the next chapter of "Taking Over Me" out soon, assuming people are still interested. I hope there are still a few people following this fic, and if you are, please let me know. I don't care what's in the review- I just wanna know people are reading. It's the kind of pick-me-up I love on bad days. And a HUGE thank you to Allison for being my new beta. THANK YOU!!!! Until next time...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=9627