Spike's Journal: Part Two Of Hands Of Fate by aerialla
Summary: Spike decides to keep a journal for Buffy so that when she wakes up she will know what has gone on. This is in Spike's point of view with a few exceptions when the background story calls for it. Journal entries are in italics while normal is what's going on around and with Spike personally. Please Please Please Review
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 41600 Read: 24875 Published: 03/28/2005 Updated: 10/18/2005

1. Month One by aerialla

2. Month Two by aerialla

3. Month Three by aerialla

4. Month Four by aerialla

5. Month Five by aerialla

6. Month Six by aerialla

7. Intermission by aerialla

8. Month Seven: Part One by aerialla

9. Month Seven:Part Two by aerialla

10. Month Seven: Part Three by aerialla

11. Month Seven: Part Four by aerialla

12. Month Seven: Part Five by aerialla

13. Month Eight by aerialla

14. Month Nine by aerialla

15. Month Ten by aerialla

16. Month Eleven: Part One by aerialla

17. Month Eleven: Part Two by aerialla

Month One by aerialla
Well it’s been about a month now since we saved you. Fred thought that keeping a journal might help me deal with what she calls inner turmoil. I never would have though that I, of all people, would even put Angel to shame when it came to being all dark and broody. At least I have learned one or two things from him in all these years. I’m stuck, yet again in a damnable wheel chair. Why is it that you have an affinity for putting me in these bloody things? I guess I will never know.

This first month has been the hardest with me trapped in this damn chair and everyone trying to keep the truth from me. Chances are slim to none that you are ever going to wake up. I saved your body, but not your life.

I’ve been taking it out on everyone lately, especially Angel. Been sitting around and making everyone miserable even Bit.

Fred checks you all the time and Dawn and I take turns staying with you. We talk and tell you the things that are going on in our little world. It seems pretty small right now. Angel and his team are trying to make sure the partners of his hell driven law firm think that everything is on the up and up. Some new, well actually quite old evil working against them right now, called the Black Thorn something or the other. I happened to hear Angel talking about it the other day, vamp hearing and all. I’m worried that he’s going to do something stupid to jeopardize all of us. Knowing Angel he’ll probably try to infiltrate the Black Thorn so he can destroy them from the inside.

Angel is not one sometimes for well-thought out plans, that’s more of Angelus’ style. I just have a feeling in my gut, something big is going down and I’m going to be left out of all the glorious action because I still can’t walk yet.

I talked to Angel about what I can do to help, sitting all day is this bloody chair has me itching’ to fight. Poofter said all I would have to do is roll over some toes and I would have everyone on the run. He has taken yet again to calling me Sit and Spin when he is in a foul mood, which can be quite often lately. Makes me wonder if he’s not playing with a full sack again. That’s all we need is Angelus running around again mucking everything up.

Dawn is doing okay. She’s putting on a brave front for everyone. I know her and she’s frightened and worried about you. Wesley and Fred have been talking to her about maybe enrolling in college as a way for her to have something to do. Get her back into a normal swing of life. As much as I love the bit, I think it would be good for her to go. Having Nibblet around sad and weepy makes, me just brood even more. Feel like I am really turning into a sodded poof just like my Sire.

The doctors are around all the time doing all kinds of tests. They don’t know when you are going to wake up. They all say the same that there is no physical evidence that you should be in a coma, so it has to be something mystical, or that you just don’t want to wake up. Whatever the First did to you was severe. Not even the guru’s around here knows what to do, some say that there is no hope. A couple even said that we should just kill you to put you out of your misery. They of course are dead now. I won’t go into the details because I know you wouldn’t approve, but let’s just say that even wheelchair bound I still have some Big Bad left in me.

Well that’s all for right now. I will try to write more later. You have all my love with you, wherever you are. I swear to you that I will find a way to bring you back to us, no matter what it takes.
Month Two by aerialla
Another month, two have gone by now pet. There has been no change so far, at least none that any of us can tell. I’m starting to walk again, just a little bit here and there. Nibblet says that she’s really proud that I’ve come a long way. Everyone is changing around me except for you, I feel like I’m just watching the world fly by.

Dawn is doing well. She’s starting to get out and socialize more, which is good. I hated to see her cooped up here, she’s young. She needs to get out and have some fun once in awhile. She even took everyone’s advice and enrolled in Stanford, though I think meeting Angel’s son Connor had something to do with that.

Can you believe it, Peaches a father? Who would have ever thought that vamps could actually have kids. Boy was raised in a different dimension. Seems like they stole him from Angel as a baby and came back all grown up. Don’t tell the Poof, but I see a lot of him in the boy. Defiant, restless and always has a way of getting in trouble, just like Dawn. I also see a lot of his mother in him, wouldn’t Darla be proud. Seems Connor inherited his mother’s temper and way of going off half cocked when things don’t go just like he wants them too.

Kind of weird, I guess you could say that he’s my brother, or my uncle depending on how you look at it, we do share the same blood and demon lineage. We’ve shared some laughs when I told him about some of Angel’s more embarrassing moments. Peaches wasn’t too happy about that, about had my guts for garters. Like that isn’t the first time, he’s tried that anyway.

Angel’s faithful crew finally defeated Wolfram and Hart. Seems like the first battle with the Black Thorn was just the beginning. I wish I could have been there to see it. They spirited us invalids away to a safe house. Seems Angel became the owner of the former CEO’s house when he took over the law firm from Hell. Said he bought it for a song, considering that Darla and Drusilla went on a rampage in the library and killed the owner and his guests. No one had seemed to want the house after that. Bad vibrations and all. Doesn’t bother me, there’s nothing like a nice massacre to make a bloke feel right at home. Just kidding luv. The place does have its amenities, and let me tell you there are a lot. I can’t wait for you to see it someday. Though I have a feeling that you wouldn’t really want to live here either. Only vamps tend to congregate where bad things happen, usually cause they’re the ones that caused the mess in the first place. I’m rambling sorrily.

Well about that final battle, seems that demons poured out from Hell even a Dragon. Our Scoobies were there, seeing as they all came when you got hurt and Angel convinced them to stay.

A funny thing, the Dragon would have turned Angel into crispy vamp if it wouldn’t have been for Xander. When did the whelp get so good with throwing axes anyway? Must have learned a thing or two from the Watcher over the years? Well Xander hit the thing right between the eyes and all Angel got was a little singed.

I’m sorry to say this luv, but two of our Slayers were lost. Amanda and Vi. They saved Andrew and Dawn. Before you start yelling at me, I could do nothing to stop her.

You know how stubborn your sister is when she puts her mind to something, she’s just like you. She’s sworn to me now that she’s done with fighting demons, she has seen too much for someone so young and she wants to fulfill your dream of having a somewhat normal life. That’s what I want for her too.

At first she scared me. I thought that it meant that she didn’t want anything more to do with me and the rest of our lovely band of Buggered. She assured me that everyone is still her family, but when it comes to fighting, she’s going to stay at home and take care of the walking wounded. I told her that I wouldn’t forever be in this chair and she’d better look out. Saying that like that to someone sitting in a wheelchair was not bloody funny.

Again I’m rambling, who would have thought that I could ramble just as well on paper as I do in a regular conversation. I guess there is just so much that I want to tell you and I have to write it all down before I lose my train of thought.

Back to the epic battle. Willow finally got to save the day again, just because she’s a Goddess now I guess means she always gets to save our sorry hides. You got to hand it to Peaches occasionally though, stupid poofter. He and Willow jumped into an open crevice to Hell and destroyed the Senior Partners. Both of them have more guts than brains.

Angel, Wesley and Giles even came up with a plan about what to do with the evil law firms that they have stretched all over the world. He doesn’t want to run them, but he doesn’t want all the evil inside to leak out either. As the last remaining member of the Black Thorn. Yes, he did infiltrate them and wouldn’t you know a plan of his would work, too well almost since we almost had a mutiny on our hands. Well it seems like Angel now is the proud owner of all the branch offices and everything that goes with them, seeing as how no one is left to dispute his claim.

Seems like all of us Scoobies have made main players partner in what is going to be a worldwide version of Angel Investigations and The New Watcher’s Council. Seems like with the two former entities gone we have more than enough money to keep us all wealthy until well eternity. Got to hand it to those insanely evil types, they really know how to invest the money so that it just keeps flowing.

Xander is headed to Chicago and the Midwest branch. Seems the Hellmouth there isn’t as active as Sunnydale, but does see its share of action from time to time.

Giles of course is back to London and the British branch. You know it was a wonder the boy ever left from home. I never knew anyone more tied to the mother country.

Willow was supposed to head for Brazil in an on again off again thing with Kennedy but got what was supposedly an astral call from Tara and decided to go to Australia.

Faith and Wood have decided to take over New York City. Seems Wood found out he had some family still there and they decided to go back so he could learn more about his mother.

Gunn went to the Orient, seems his thing for robots and the Chinese culture was just the change of scenery he needed. I think it’s just so he can further his collection of robots.

Little Andrew is going all James Bond, the Timothy Dalton version of course. He decided that he wanted to really prove himself to all of us and asked for the Roman branch. Angel gave it to him, saying that he couldn’t do any worse than all the evil entities.

The rest of us are staying here in LA. One cause Wesley and Fred want to take over this branch, two Dawn and Connor are in college here, and three because after a year in a coma Cordelia has woken up. She and Angel are on the fast track to getting back together, curse or no curse.

All of them give me hope. After all the battles that all of us have been through, they are still finding peace and happiness. Some are even finding love, maybe not for the first time, but I think for the last time.

Looking at you now Buffy and I dream of what hopefully someday we can have together. It may not be the normal that you always wanted. I’m a vampire and even soulful I will never be your normal average guy. I just hope I can be deserving enough of your love and friendship. I want to give you all the things that your friends are getting. Peace, love and happiness.

Until next time my love. I will hold you close to my heart and pray to whatever is above us that you will be with us again soon.
Month Three by aerialla
Its been three months now. Still no change. We have now turned off the bloody beeping of the monitors. All they do is tell us that everything is the same anyway. It was beginning to make all of us go insane.

We all pray for a miracle every day. Angel feels bad praying for another one when one for him had so recently been fulfilled. Cordelia is still in a hospital, but every day she is getting better. You can tell because she has started complaining about everything in true cheerleader fashion.

Angel made her the one promise to her that he has never made to anyone, at least in the century that I’ve known him. As soon as Cordelia can walk again, they’re getting married. He had tried to tell her that with him she would never have a normal life. That’s when the bird socked him on dead in the face. You should have seen it pet it was hilarious.

Seems she had the choice a few years back to have the life she always wanted, but chose to save Angel’s hide instead. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a woman that mad, including you luv. Cordelia said she didn’t want a normal life, she liked the one she had just fine. She had seen too much, done too much to ever be a normal woman. Figured as long as she knew these things she might as well do something about them and Angel could either do it side by side or she would do it alone. To leave a long story short they kissed and made up and their wedding day is quickly approaching.

I’m finally out of that torture chamber of death. Dawn says we should keep the damned chair around seeing as how I need one every few years. I’m walking now with a cane and visit you every chance I get.

For some reason your nurse always makes a hasty exit whenever I come into the room. She either knows I like my privacy with you or I scare the bird witless, which probably wouldn’t be a hard task to perform.

Its nice to walk into a sunlit room without frying to a crisp. Angel had this special glass installed in all the windows of the house including the atrium. Everything now is crispy vamp proof.

Angel and I spend a lot of time in the atruim, there is an indoor pool and I like to swim with the sun on my face. Its so ironic to both of us to love the sun after having seen its destructive forces more than once on our kind. Brings back the memories of getting rid of the Annoying One.

Just like now the sun is filtering over your face. What once held the quintessential California tan is now almost as pale as mine. Your hair is quickly changing back to brunette. I still can’t decide which color I prefer more, my goldilocks or the exotic beauty that is showing more every day. I will let you decide when you wake up.

But I’m sitting here beside you know to pay my usual visit. I will always try to write my conversations down for you so that you know what I said to you. Luckily Angel past on most of his photographic memory to me. One good thing about having the Poof for a grandsire.


“I’m here luv. Come to pay my usual visit and to tell you all the things that have been going on. Doesn’t change much from one day to the other, at least not anymore.”

I’m sitting here like I always do with your hand in mine. Some days I just sit, some days I read to you. Depends some days as to what I read you. It’s either the newspaper or literature that I have grown to live over the years. Everyone talks to yoiu, never knowing wether you can hear us or not.

“Nibblet got all A’s on her finals. Starting tomorrow she’ll be here for two weeks. A group of her friends wanted her to go to Aculpulco. She told them that she wanted to be home with her family, besides she’s a bridesmaid in the wedding.”

“The wedding is next weekend. Can you believe tthat Angel agreed to having a wedding in the sun? Course it’s going to be in thearrium so no chance of getting fried. A floor is being put over the pool so there’s extra space for chairs and what not. It’s going to start at sunset and should be finished at twilight, kind of nice them bringing both worlds together. We found out a couple of days agao Cordelia still gets these visions, but she’s fully human now. The visions are not hurting her anymore, seems that was a problem in the past.”


Sometimes like now I lay my head on your chest and listening to your heartbeat. I can feel it against me and its one of the most comforting feelings in the world. It seems I always do the same thing when we’re together. I brush your hair back from your face and I kiss your beautiful nose and brow. By that time grief is catching me in the chest and I always know that I won’t be able to stay much longer or someone will walk in with me sobbing all over you.

“I just wish it was us pet. You would make such a beautiful bride. We could do everything that you wanted when Red did that spell. We could even have the sunlit ceremony you wanted without me turning into the big pile of dust. I would love nothing better in this world or any other to be your husband and mate.”

This is the part when every day I lean over, running my fingers through your hair and sing our song just loudly enough for you to hear.

It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine, that's your way.
You always walked a step behind.
So I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strain.
A beautiful face without a name for so long.
A beautiful smile to hide the pain.
Did you ever know that you're my hero,and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.
It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.
I would be nothing without you.
Did you ever know that you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.
Did I ever tell you you're my hero?
You're everything, everything I wish I could be.
Oh, and I, I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.
Oh, the wind beneath my wings.
You, you, you, you are the wind beneath my wings.
Fly, fly, fly away. You let me fly so high.
Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.
Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.
Fly, fly, fly high against the sky,
so high I almost touch the sky.
Thank you, thank you,
thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings.

“I love you Buffy Anne Summers and someday no matter how long it takes you’ll be my wife. All I have in life that matters to me is you, Nibblet and time.”


By this time I gently kiss your lips, usually with tears rolling down my face. I pick up my cane and with my head held as high as I can get it I limp out of your room. Behind me on this day your monitors continue beeping almost as if I had never been there at all. I know that I have and for now that is all that matters.
Month Four by aerialla
It’s been another month. The fourth now. Still, no change. Well none except your hair which is now half light and dark.

It’s the one little thing that gives me hope, that you’re still alive. I know that you’re alive in there somewhere.

Because of your hair I have also stopped bleaching the life out of mine. You probably wouldn’t recognize me, but I have dark hair now. At least for the most part. Still, as Angel calls it “radioactive” on top. Looks like it did when you found me in the school basement in Sunnydale except that I don’t have the insanity that goes with it. Dawn says that she likes the curls. She has taken to ruffling my head when she goes by now, and one of these days I am going to bite her for it. I may be going soft but I am still a vampire after all.

After looking in the mirror one morning and yes I know I can’t see my reflection. I was standing there looking at nothing except what was behind me. It was then that I knew that I could never go back to what I had been. I would never get William back, at least not fully.
Inside I’m still Spike. Still full of piss and vinegar, but long gone were the days when I felt like I had to constantly prove myself to anyone. I’m still the Big Bad when I need to be, but I don’t wear it like a badge.

Angel of all people, Poofter that he is, has shown me that. It wasn’t the soul that controlled Angelus, but the part of him that was Angelus was part of his soul. Liam and Angelus together were his soul, together they formed Angel. Together they had formed the man he was today. He taught me that I was neither William nor Spike.

He also said that he was proud of me, his childe. Angel had been cursed with his soul, it was never something that Angelus would have sought out. Yet I, even if for selfish reasons had wanted my soul back, I didn’t want to be a monster anymore. I wanted to become the kind of man that you always wanted. The kind of man who was worthy of your love.

I know that my being a vampire was a drawback for you, especially since I hadn’t had a soul. I always tried to work past the demon although sometimes he won and I would do something idiotic, like chain you to a wall. Though I had good intentions, the blood flow just wasn’t going in the direction of my brain as usual.

So I apologize for my mistakes and hope that some day you can forgive me for them. Nibblet says I’m getting too soft. Told her I’m the same, maybe a little softer all around, inside and out. One thing for sure I still could give any Slayer a run for their money.

Speaking of which. Giles called yesterday from London. He wants me, after all of this time mind you. Watcher boy asked me to come to England and help him train the potentials.

I told him flat out no. I can’t train them to fight for their lives and others only to send them out and watch them die. I was right when I told you that just one vampire or demon need is one good day. I at one point in time thought I had two pretty good days. The only good that ever came out of my killing two Slayers were in you becoming one.

One night when I was having nightmares about them it was Dawn that got me through it. She said that we can’t go back and change things because it was destiny. Things happened the way they did because they were supposed to. Who knows what would have happened had I never became a vampire, or you a Slayer. Could be the whole world would have been gone long before now? The Powers That Be sent us on our path for a purpose. One day we would both give up our lives for everyone else’s. Why we’re still around, I don’t have a clue.

The way that Dawn tells it, we were all a part of some grand plan. She said that destiny never waits around, it just happens. Sometimes when you least expect it. I was supposed to become a vampire so that you could become a Slayer.

Right now I just feel like I’m waiting for destiny to happen again and bring you back to me luv. I have to leave things in the hand of destiny and go along the path that its steering me. I just pray that its steering you back to us.

Yours Always
William
Month Five by aerialla
In the past few months so much has happened. For once we have had some joyous occasions. They have diverted a few minor apocalypses around the world, but nothing that they had not handled easily.

I’ll never forget the night Angel asked me to be best man at his upcoming wedding to Cordelia. I was in the kitchen grabbing a snack when he stepped out of the shadows. I had known he was there, could feel him the minute I stepped in the room. As long as I am alive or undead I will never forget the conversation we had. It was the first actual conversation that I’d ever had with my sire in any form. I have learned to let go of the animosity that I have felt for Angel for a century and a half and I think he did the same with me.


“Tell me something William.” The Irish lilt in Angels voice making a rare appearance. Which made me pay attention? When the Liam side of Angel came out I knew I had to pay attention, it meant that Angel was feeling vulnerable in some way.

“Yeah” I backed up against the counter a glass of blood and scotch in my hand and waited. Looking at him as he looked out the window over the darkened grounds of the backyard.

“Everything you’ve done you’ve done for them right. For Dawn and Buffy, the soul, the Hellmouth, fighting Hell itself, you did it for them.”

“For the most part, I also did it for me. Tired of being a monster I guess. Never really got to be a man so I thought I’d give it a go.”

“What were the trials like?”

“I’d probably be dust if I hadn’t wanted the award so much. Between the giant with flaming fists, the Golgasmeck demons, and having my insides eaten by scarab beetles, it wasn’t too bad. Could have been worse I suppose?”
I saw Angel’s head nod in agreement.

“Did you know that your soul was going to be restored? ”

“At first I just wanted to get rid of the government chip in my head. However, once I got there all I wanted was to be what she needed. To be what she deserves.”
Looking down at my glass I twirled its contents and took a sip the alcohol burning its way down my throat.

“She deserved to live a normal life.”

“Yeah, both of them do, that’s what I want to give them now. A life as normal as what I can make it at least. Bloody hell I know I’m not perfect and that’s not even taking in the demon part. You know as well as I that even if we weren’t in the picture her life was never going to be normal. Slayers’s burn fast and die young. We were just kind of thrown into her life because we both fell in love with her. So did her whole Scoobie gang. I stayed because I didn’t want her to fight alone, she needed to have someone around who could understand the Slayer part of her. You left her so that she could have the life you wanted for her, but it wasn’t the life she would have chosen. She was willing to give up everything for you, while I was willing to give up everything for her. If she wakes up tomorrow and stakes my ass I’ll die happy knowing that she’s alive and not stuck in a coma.”

“Did you ever think we’d turn out this way, William? That we would become more human than we were when we were alive?”

“I don’t know, Angelus would say that we’re not even worth life seeing as how we have both let the human side of us rule.”
I saw Angel flinch when I said Angelus and I was sorry for him. My soul was whole and complete while he warred every day with his. I could finally see for once why he brooded and was quiet so much.

“I also know that is the reason why we are still alive, why you and I are the only ones in history to have our souls restored. Their love is what keeps us here, made us what we are. The whole bloody lot of them. They gave us something that we could never in a hundred lifetimes deserve. I’m grateful for them, even the whelp when I want to ring his sorry neck. Sunnydale and its bunch of do gooders was the end and the beginning for both of us.”

“Would you do it differently, if you had the chance? Could you have walked away if you had to? If you felt you had no other choice, if you felt what you were doing was right. Would you have walked away from her love because you could never give her what you felt she needed?”
Angel turned and faced me his face full of question and doubt.

“No, I wouldn’t do anything different even the chip in my head. Buffy would have killed me if it wasn’t for the chip. I don’t think I could ever leave them not for any reason. Course, you know me not much of a thinking things through bloke anyway. You did what you had to at the time Angel. Dawn told me something awhile ago that has really made me think. She said that things were the way they are for a reason. You were supposed to come to L.A. just as I was supposed to go back to Sunnyhell. You were needed here, I was needed there. You seem to forget that I did leave for a while and I won’t tell you the reason why. Still, I could never stay away. They became my family and friends, even if they didn’t want me, they were still home.”

When Angel didn’t say anything, I continued. I was beginning to see the meaning behind his questions. He was wondering if he was doing the right thing with Cordelia. I understood that, it was the reason why after I came back I never sought out Buffy. The feeling that maybe she was, that they all were better off without me. I was wrong and so was Angel.

Taking a bottle of Jack Daniels out of the cupboard I grabbed two shot glasses and set them on the table in front of Angel. Pulling out a chair I sat and pushed one out for Angel, who sat to my surprise. Pouring two shots I pushed one toward him and slung mine back relishing in the rush of the liquor.


“She loves you, she became part demon for you. Cordelia knows the score, always has. She came back for you. If you walk away now Peaches, you will regret it for the rest of your life. Though I doubt you’d get far before she’d find you. It’s her life to decide how she wants to live it. You can’t make the decisions for her Angel, all you will do is piss her off, and you know what she’s like when that happens.”

With the grimace that had shown on Angel’s face I could tell he had faced Cordelia’s wrath on more than one occasion. Kind of funny actually. In the old days no one would have dared go up against Angelus. I had a feeling that the cheerleader had more spine and guts than sense. But there was also love, love that grew from friendship. Cordelia would never give up Angel without a fight and heaven help anyone that tried.

“So I should go through with it?” Angel was already working on his fourth shot and was getting ready to pour another.

“Yes I do.”

“Then you have to do me a favor William. I’ll need you if at the last minute to talk some sense, or to beat it into me.” Angel set his glass down.

“Yeah sure. Whatever it takes. Guess I owe you that much.” I poured my third shot and was just downing it when I heard Angel’s request.

“I need actually want you to be my best man William.”


Shock coursed through my body and I coughed, spraying the table and Angel in whiskey. He had to be joking. It was all some sort of a trick. Once my coughing fit subsided I looked at him as if he was insane.

“You want me to what?”

“Be my best man.”

“May I ask for God’s sake why?” I was in shock.

“Because you’re the only part of my family, I claim anymore. Not only are you my childe, but you’ve been the only brother I’ve ever had. I have a history with you that I don’t have with Wes and Gunn. That and you have the muscle to keep me from doing something stupid and wrecking any chance of a future with Cordy.”

“Are you completely daft?”

“Probably, but will you still do it.”

“All right, but don’t blame me if something bad happens that I can’t control.”

“I won’t, thanks William.”


He left as quietly as he had come, but he seemed a bit lighter with his steps. I was right I did owe him, especially for all the times I tried to kill him over the years. What overwhelmed me so much that I just sat there and pondered until almost dawn was that he claimed me as his childe. That claim meant a lot to me considering he had never even spoke of such things in over a hundred years.
That didn’t shock me as much as his statement about being his brother and friend. Something that touched me to the core. Angelus and I had been close at one time, he had been my mentor after I was first turned. It was he that showed me what being a vampire was all about, Dru was always too busy with her dolls or some such nonsense. I looked up to Angelus wanting to be just as bad and ruthless as he was. Still, after all this time I really think I like Angel more. I was proud that he had chosen me and I would stand beside him when that day comes as his brother, friend and childe.
Month Six by aerialla
Well love it’s over now, the wedding that is. We just sent the happy couple off on their honeymoon. You would have liked the wedding luv, it was beautiful. Cordelia and Angel spared no expense which was obvious to everyone.

We held the ceremony here in the house, in the atrium and the backyard held the reception. They covered up the indoor pool to use as a floor and the whole place was lit with twinkle lights and candles with rose, lily and orchid flower arrangements and upon Angel’s request pots of Irish Heather. They decided that we would hold the wedding here rather than the Hyperion as everyone demon and human could be here without any question. The girls got ready in the guest wing and the men got ready in the family area.

The outside, decorated the same as inside, and it made the grounds romantic or like fairy land according to Dawn. I spent the day ordering people around, which gave me a headache worse than the Initiative’s chip. Afternoon was spent trying to keep an agitated and nervous Angel from making a beeline to the nearest airport and to Tibet. He was getting on my nerves, so much that I came close to knocking him out. If it wouldn’t have been for Cordelia kicking my ass because I messed up Angel’s face I would have done just that. Instead I cornered Lorne and made him fork over some of his Valium which I slipped into Angel’s blood when he wasn’t looking. Luckily that worked or I would have had to hurt him and took whatever I got from his beloved. But hell what is best man for anyway.

The ceremony was beautiful. Willow performed the ceremony along with Lorne who just also happens to be a licensed minister. We all seem to learn more about him as time goes by. Cordelia was smashing in a designer gown and her maid of honor was Fred and her bridesmaids were Dawn and a couple of other chippies I don’t know. Angel wore the traditional tux as did the rest of us groomsmen. In the line up it was Angel, me, Wesley, Gunn and Connor.

Until Cordelia walked down the aisle, Angel fidgeted in the way that he does when he is nervous. I put my hand on his shoulder to keep him from bolting and for comfort. If anyone would have told you a decade ago that I would be offering support to my sire on his wedding day, I would have told them they were off their gourd. Then I would have drunk them dry just for even suggesting such a notion. Just goes to show you how we all have changed.

As she walked down the aisle she was enchanting, a smile lighting up her face and fresh tears were shining in her eyes along with love for the man that stood in front of me. Even I in all of my badness couldn’t help the tears that formed in my own eyes. Tears for you, and for the life we may or may never have. She was beautiful pet, but not nearly as beautiful as you would be.

When Angel saw her, I saw and felt all the tension leaving him and as he took her hand I knew that he was ready. Squeezing his shoulder as he took his bride’s hand and led her in front of Willow and Lorne. Today they would join them legally and spiritually in front of the Powers, man and demon. My heart ached for us, but it was also joyful for them. I would do whatever I could to see that they made it. After all this time they deserved whatever happiness that life could afford them.

So many thoughts were running through my head that I almost missed giving Angel the ring and would have if Wesley wouldn’t have poked me in the back. No one objected the marriage which almost seemed to come as a surprise considering that very few things happen in all of our lives that don’t lead to chaos. Looking out over the crowd when Lorne gave the announcement, I looked at Xander, who had tears running freely down his face. He alone knew how I felt, his love was lost for him the same way mine sometimes felt for you. Xander should have been sitting there happy with Anya by his side, but for whatever reason it was not meant to be. Someday soon I was going to have to get him pissed drunk and let him get it all out. Heck I had done so much counseling lately I was getting to feel like the group therapist, damn William and his pooftiness. No longer was I the Big Bad for these people I had turned into a flaming mother hen.

Turning just in time I caught Angel bending down and kissing his wife with passion, tears on his face along with the smile that lit up the room. A moment of perfect happiness. Reality dawned on me and I felt the room’s energy change, growing darker by the moment. Cordelia saw it too and threw her bouquet to Fred, immediately getting into a fighting stance. Why had none of us thought about it? You see I told you pet, we just can’t have functions without a little bit of chaos. The moment Angelus arrived I felt it in my blood, the sire calling out to his childe. Knowing for a few moments he would be dazed I followed my instinct and grabbed Angel by his arms holding him back and away from Cordelia.


“Red, I hope you were prepared for this, if not we’re going to have trouble.” Angelus was now starting to struggle in my grasp and I honestly didn’t know how much longer I could hold him. If he regained full strength, heavens help us all.

“Spike, down!” I heard Cordelia’s shout and ducked just in time as her fist connected with Angel’s jaw with enough force that his head snapped back into unconsciousness. The only thing holding him up was the fact that I had his arms.

“Nice shot ducks.” I said looking at her with new respect. Yep, if there was any match for Angelus she was standing in front of me now, still smiling and happy. Which made me wonder if they had this planned from the start? Laying Angel down I could see that Willow and Cordelia had planned this probably figuring that if anyone knew Angel would get wind of it and ka bosh the whole thing.


Terra, Aeris, Ignis, Aqua
that from which he is made
Let him return
Never to leave again.
Together that which
Belongs below
And that which
Is above
Becoming a perfect mesh
Of light and dark
His soul ruling over all
Grant him that which he desires
To be a part of this world
Leaving only at a time
Of his choosing
Grant him traits he will need
To battle dark forces
Sending them to where they belong
He is to never come to harm
Invincible and immortal
Being as he was only more
Vampire and human.


I watched next to Angel as Willow laid her hand on his chest a beam of pure light coming from her fingers. Then watched as she pressed her other hand to my chest causing me to cry out as pure energy ran through my body. Power burned through every cell in my body and I could feel its strength as much as I could feel my soul. It was neither dark nor light, just pure power from the earth, creation and destruction melting my demon and my soul into one.

Then I heard it, faintly from my chest then in my ears, ringing loudly in cacophony. It was my heartbeat. I could feel my skin warming making sweat trickle down my back and my lungs taking deep ragged breaths as my body fully functioned for the first time in a hundred and twenty-five years. It was amazing and incredible. I had the overwhelming urge to shout that I was once again a real boy. As the light faded and my mind started functioning back on all levels I looked at Willow who was sitting back on her hunches staring at both Angel and me, her miracle children. Without a second thought I raised to my legs and grabbed her twirling her around while she laughed and scorned me until I was forced to put her down because she looked a little ill.

At this point Angel started coming to his senses and looked up at Cordy who was cradling his head in her lap. Grabbing her, he started laughing and crying before doing to her what I had down to Willow, twirling her around in front of our audience. Lorne came up beside us and shouting over our joy.


“I now pronounce Cordelia and Angel husband and wife. I also now pronounce Angel and Spike, human with benefits.”

Lorne started the clapping and the hundred or so odd guests that had watched the spectacle stood up with the applause. There were also some wolf whistles from the humans along with grumbles from the demons telling us that we were sell outs. But who cared I was happy, jubilant even. Putting my hands on either side of Willow’s head, taking her yet again by surprise and kissed her full on the lips before giving her a fierce hug and letting go.

Running to Dawn I picked her up in my arms and swung her around too. Her laughter making my heart beat faster and making me feel as if I was on air. This was the happiest moment of my life and everything was happening so fast that I didn’t even stop to think. I wanted to run the joy for as long as possible. Hoisting Dawn on my back piggy style I carried her out the doors and into the darkened garden for the reception making her promise that as soon as she had the time we were going to the beach. After all these years I couldn’t wait to be in the sun.

I have to finish this for now pet, even though the happy couple has left for a tropical isle somewhere, there are still guests mulling around. Dawn has been at the door three times now telling me that I am neglecting our guests. I came back here as soon as I could to get everything written down before I forgot one detail.

I just wish there was something that could be done for us pet and I know by hook or by crook I will find it. You just hang on for me okay. I love you Buffy.


**************************************************************

Spike set his journal aside and took Buffy’s hand in his, kissing the palm gently before laying it against his cheek. Staring at her, feeling his heart beat he cried. Great hoarse sobs came from his freshly breathing lungs. He didn’t know how much longer he could go on seeing her like this, loving her this much and yet again not able to be with her. It was tearing at his heart and soul until he honestly didn’t know if there would be anything left, even with Willow’s magic.

Every day he saw her and every day it got harder to hold firmly to the hope. The hope that someday she would come out of it like Cordelia and they too would have their fairy tale and happily ever after. Laying his head down in his hands, he cried until there were no more tears to be had. Until his chest burned and his heart ached so much that he wished it would stop beating.

Spike heard the door open and could tell by the soft gentle perfume that it was Fred. At this moment he didn’t bloody well care what anyone thought of him. Not even bothering raising his head, he motioned at her to come on it. The heels of his hands dug into his eyes brutally wiping the tears away. If only he could wipe away the pain in his soul the same way.

“How long has it been since you’ve been away from here Spike.” Fred put her hand on his shoulder, no one but her sometimes saw the hell that he was in. Not even Dawn.

“Not really sure sweetling. But you know I can’t leave here. Not until she’s awake.” Spike raised up his eyes blood shot and his nose running. His breath was coming in gasps.

“You need to get away from here for a while Spike. It’s not doing you any good to be like this.” Taking a handkerchief from her sleeve she handed it to him and turned away while he wiped his face.

“I can’t and you know that pet. I have to be here for her when she wakes up.” He bestowed a kiss on her forehead and shoved the handkerchief in his tux pocket, knowing he just might need it again later.

“And what if she never wakes up Spike. Will you also cease to exist? She has a nurse to stay with her Spike, one that won’t fail to call you on a moment notice. You don’t have to go far. Stay with us at the Hyperion, come with us when we patrol. But for heaven’s sake you have got to get on with your life. Accomplish something other than this everyday so that when she does wake up she’ll be proud of you. Proud that you had the courage to make a difference, to change and do something with the gift that you have been given. Even if it’s not helping us. You’ve earned the break just as all of us have from time to time. We’ll know where to find you if it’s something we can’t handle. Every one of us in the past six months have taken some time off. It’s your turn.”

Dawn walked into the room in pure Dawn style. Her head held high and her long hair flying behind her. Her rose and gold colored gown flowed on the floor in a whisper. She looked radiantly beautiful. School was agreeing with her and had let her finally build her own confidence and self esteem. There was a flash of fire in her eyes, her chin was pointed forward and her hands were on her hips. Spike took one look at her and knew she meant business even though he would be able to change her mind into his way of thinking shortly.

“I can’t Nibblet, I need to be here for her. She deserves it. My life is nothing without her.”
Spike didn’t stand, just kept sitting over hunched like he had been when she walked into the room.

“You’re wrong. If I have to Spike, I’ll put her away. You can’t do this to yourself, and make the rest of us feel guilty for moving on. I love Buffy too. But if you step away for a while then I’m moving her out of her and into a full time care facility.” Standing over him Dawn looked him square in the eye and dared him to make a move. She knew putting Buffy in a home would make him angry and she wasn’t disappointed.

Standing up in anger, Spike looked at the one person who thought would understand. He was here for Buffy, not to run off and leave her here alone. All of the men had done that too her in her short life. He wasn’t about to be the one to follow that pattern. His eyes were raging and flashing from blue to yellow, the blood boiling in his veins.

“You wouldn’t dare.”

“Watch me, you seem to forget Spike. I’m Buffy’s only relative and I decide what gets done about her care. If I wanted to go over there right now and unhook every one of those cords, it’s my legal right.” Dawn knew she was dangerously close to making Spike snap, but if that’s what it took, then at least she would be the one to do it.

“You so much as move an inch and I’ll drink you dry. Who are you to decide what happens to her. You have your own life to live. Why don’t you go back to it and let me get on with mine.”
Spike’s fury was rolling off of him in waves and it took all of his control not to grab Dawn and physically see her out of the room.

“Do what I ask Spike, leave tonight. If you don’t, I’ll have her moved from here tomorrow. You need to get on with things. I’m tired of seeing you brood around this house. I thought Angel was bad, but you, sure take the cake. You need a vacation of this. The rest of us love her too you know. Why don’t you give us a chance to show it to her” Dawn took Spike by the arm and pulled him to the door and into the hallway.

“You can come by once a week to see her. You never know, maybe she’ll start missing your presence being around and it might help. It’s going to help you more in the long run. Now I want you to pack up some things and go. If you don’t, I’m going to go get Willow, and you don’t want to mess with her. We’ve already talked about this and it’s for your own good.” Dawn crossed her arms over her chest and prayed that their idea would work.

Everyone was tired of seeing Spike mope. He really did have to get on with his life, Buffy would come out of this mess when she was good and ready. Spike needed to learn to live for himself for once and if Dawn had to make good on every one of her threats she would. He was too important to her to lose him in a pity of self pity and anguish.

Spike full of fury pushed past her and down the hall to his bedroom, slamming the door open as he went. Changing clothes in a hurry he pulled a duffel bag from the closet he haphazardly began filling it from the closet and drawers, not really paying much attention to what went in it. It’s not as if most of it wasn’t black anyway. Grabbing his journal as he went into his bathroom and got stuff there before slamming the door to his room and again pushing away from Dawn. Heading into the garage without saying a word to anyone, he saw just how well they had worked on their little plan. Inside was a new black and chrome motorcycle, for once he didn’t bother checking it out just stowed the bag and pressed the button for the garage door. Once it had opened all the way he gunned the powerful engine and pealed out into the night in a fist of fury, never looking back for the ones who were betraying him.

He never got to see the three women holding each other and crying, knowing they were doing what they had to for him. Spike needed to learn to live and they were going to make sure that somehow and someway he would. They knew that if something ever happened to Buffy now he wouldn’t be able to live with it and he would find a way of killing himself. Dawn, Fred and Willow stared into the night from the opened cage door and prayed that Spike would learn to fly on his own.


I'm working on the next chapter right now and it should be up in a day or two. Thanks for reading and remember to review even if you don't like it.

Aerialla
Intermission by aerialla
Intermission:

After leaving on the bike in a ferocious pace he went to the first bar he’d come to. His mind was in a fury. How could they make him leave? Buffy needed him, just as much as he needed her. Throwing money down on the counter, the bartender offered him the bottle of Jack Daniels and a glass which he left.

Spike strode to the back to a darkened corner. Women in scantily clad clothes looked him over hungrily but he was pretty certain the scowl on his face told them to back off. Opening the fresh bottle he relished the burning of the liquor as it fired his belly. Trying not to think of the beating of his newly active heart, he didn’t think he could handle the pain of its ache. He should be by her side right now, talking to her, trying everything possible to get her to come back. Now that they had their precious Angel back and all human, they evidently didn’t need him anymore. Well he wasn’t going to settle for it. He was going to march back up to that house and either make them see reason or he was going to tear them apart, limb to limb.

Finishing the bottle, comforted by the feeling it gave him he strode back out to the bike, turning it back around the way he came. Using break neck speed throughout the winding roads to the mansion he made it back in less time than when he’d left. Parking the bike a few houses away he stormed up the street hoping they weren’t ready for a sneak attack. He was wrong.

Ten feet into the driveway Spike felt the barrier but didn’t care. Taking a few steps back he ran full force into it, only to be bodily flown away. The witch had some serious mojo on the place. After fifteen minutes of trying to force his way through with no success Spike felt his heart shatter like crystal and he slid to the ground deflated and defeated.

From where the tears came he had no idea and for the second time in one night the flood gates holding all his emotions burst. Only this time he wasn’t with Buffy, he was on a cold driveway unable to be near the woman that gave his dark life light.

Inside Dawn stared out the window tears rolling down her eyes, for him. She wanted desperately to go to him, to let him back in the house and beg for his forgiveness. It wouldn’t do Spike any good. He was the last of all of them to start a new life, and if she had to force it upon him she would. Even if he hated her forever, she would stand by her decision. Spike had to learn to live, not for Buffy, or her, or even the Scoobies, he had to learn to live for himself. It wasn’t going to be easy, the stubborn ass didn’t know how to do easy. Once he had drunk himself silly and crawled out of the gutter he would regain his strength, at least she hoped he would.

Dawn watched as he cried and it tore her apart inside. It was just Buffy, the nurse and her, now in the house, Wesley, Willow and Fred had left shortly after Spike. She was glad she wasn’t alone, having never really like being in the house by herself. Dawn had heard the stories of what Darla and Drusilla had done and couldn’t even go into the den for that reason. She couldn’t see the carnage but she could sense it. Turning from the window as Spike got back on the bike sullenly this time unlike the first, she whispered words for his safety. Once in her room she fell into an exhaustive sleep.

******
Spike drove to the Hyperion, only to have it barricaded the same as the house, they even blocked the entrances through the sewer. Feeling abandoned by the people he considered his family devastated him. With slacked shoulders and heavy heart he went to the first liquor store he spied and bought four bottles of tequila figuring it would help him drown his sorrows better than the whiskey had. Across the street was a flea bag motel that he checked himself into after stowing the bike safely behind the building.

Finding his room at least clean and serviceable he threw his bag on the bed. Opening a bottle, he sat at the scarred table and started drinking. After two bottles were empty, the rage started building inside. The urge to smash and bash was beginning to roll off him in waves like the smell of the liquor was doing to his body. Opening the third bottle then grabbing the fourth and the bike’s keys he made for the door, drinking the bottle as he went down the stairs then throwing the empty container in the dumpster. Gunning the bike, he took off for the really bad part of town, the place where he was sure to find some nasty buggers to destroy. At the stop light he made a right and headed toward Beverly Hills.

The dawn found Spike bleeding and broken staring out over the ocean waiting for the sun to finish the job that the nest of Fyarl demons. Opening his final bottle of tequila he stared at the ocean’s waves hitting the shore, pounding the sand like his heart and head were doing right now. Not wanting to look at his demise he closed his eyes and drank deep from the bottle, not even caring whether he choked or not. In three more slams he finished the bottle letting it drop from his hand beside him on the soft sand. Just as the sun’s rays flashed across the sky Spike’s brain gave out and he passed out unconscious on the sand.

This had become Spike’s routine from the time his new found family had kicked him to the curb. He’d get drunk, patrol, get drunk again and pass out either at the hotel or on the beach. The next night he’d do it all again until the month of February had flown by and he hadn’t even realized it. With it brought rain which seemed the clear the smog filled air along with Spike’s head. He awoke the day of Leap Year and finally started to take stock of his life which lead to one last depression filled drunk that once again saw Spike passing out as dawn broke over the ocean.

Month Seven: Part One by aerialla

Spike woke up to an incessant poking at his side. Between that and the bright light he sensed over him it was a bloody awful way to wake up and his first thought was of the Initiative. Following his first reaction he gave a deep guttural growl of warning, only to be puzzled by a childish giggled reply.

Opening his eyes, he found himself half covered in sand and two sandy blond haired children packing more on him. Children! Children were torturing him!

“Get off me, you filthy little buggers” Pulling into a seated position he looked around the near empty beach. The little boy and girl looked at him and giggled more. They were trying to push him back down with their tiny hands.

“Why don’t you bloody bas- er scamps go and find your mum huh?” Their little eyes lighted with glee making their brown eyes dance with gold flecks of joy.

“Go on now with you, leave a man to anguish in peace. Go find your bloody parents and leave me be.” He growled again and made like he was going to stand. This time both of them did the absolute unthinkable, and scared Spike right out of his Doc Martens. They climbed into his lap

‘Oi, now get off!” Spike didn’t know wether to shove them off or just stand and let them fall, landing on the sand wouldn’t hurt than much.

“You talk funny.”

The pigtailed little demon had the nerve to settle herself in his lap and cuddle next to him, followed by her little brother.

Spike didn’t know what to do and began frantically searching the beach for worried parents. He saw only a few joggers and a couple of groups of teenage girls, no one looked like their mum. Opening up his senses he sniffed the breeze to see if he could catch their matching scent, and nothing just salt water and tanning lotion. Concern went through him, knowing just what some demons did to children was almost enough to send a chill down his spine. Dru had always been one for the little mites, while Spike preferred prey, with a little more challenge.

“Okay little nippers, where’s your mum?”

Immediately he could feel their sadness and something deep inside him started to crumble. The laughter was gone from them. Both hung their heads down looked at the sand, then out to the ocean.

“She walked into the ocean and didn’t come back. She told us to stay here, that someone would find us and take care of us and keep us safe. Mommy told us to be brave and that she would see us in Heaven some day.” The little bit laid her head on his chest while tears ran down her cheeks.

Gently Spike wiped her tears away and put an arm protectively around the little girl who was reminding him more of Dawn as each moment went by.

“Where’s your da Bit? We should take you home to him.” It was evident to Spike that their mother hadn’t thought of her children when she decided to end her life and it made his heart anger and ache for the little children she had left stranded on a beach. He’d figure out a way to get them home on the bike. The throbbing of his hangover was slowly subsiding, but the pounding of a regular old headache was fast approaching.

“We don’t have a daddy, but you could be him, if you want to. We like you.” The lad looked into Spike’s eyes and he cringed at how full of hope they were, although the boy’s bottom lip trembled at the memory of his mother.

Really looking at both children for the first time he realized just how young they were. Both of them were nearly identical in looks except just a little difference in eye color, they were just about the same height and weight. There was no doubt in Spike’s mind that they were twins and weren’t much older than five maybe six years of age. They were beautiful children and Spike’s anger grew even more for the mother who left them selfishly behind.

“Everyone’s got a da lad, it’s just how things work.” Spike put his other arm around the little guy comfortingly and patted.

“We don’t, mommy said we were miracles. That we just kind of happened.”

“I’m sure you have a da out there, Poppet. I’ll help you both find him okay. Now where to both of you live. I’m sure your neighbors might know a thing or two.”

“Cleveland. We drove here in mommy’s car. She said it kind of steered us here.” The lad cuddled next to Spike like his sister and stuck his thumb in his mouth. He showed Spike complete faith and trust, something that Spike had rarely felt alive or dead.

“Where’s your mum’s car lad? Maybe there’s something in there we need to get you back to your mother’s family.”

“Mommy didn’t have any other family, she said we were all alone in the world.”

The children climbed off and let him stand. Looking out over the sunlit ocean, the beauty of it took him by surprise and he really felt alive. The realization of Willow’s spell hit full force, he was human. The sun didn’t hurt him anymore, his heart was beating and his lungs breathed deeply of the salty air.

Spike felt two small hands take his, making him feel oddly comforted. Glancing down he saw they were looking up at him and he couldn’t help but give both of them a dazzling smile. They really were beautiful children. And yet another crumble could be felt in his chest. Shaking off the feeling he couldn’t think about right now he began walking them back to the parking lot. His first concern had to be seeing these two precious children home safely.

Finding the car wasn’t a problem since there was only one nearby and someone parked it directly beside his bike. The children were playfully swinging both of his arms much like he could remember doing to his father when he was a boy.

“That’s mommy’s car.” The children said in unison as they got closer to the old blue Chevy Nova. The paint was so badly faded it looked almost white. What surprised Spike was how abandoned the car seemed. A typical moving family’s car would be packed with boxes and suitcases. This car seemed empty.

“Where are your thing’s lad?” Spike’s concern was building rapidly about finding any info in the car.

“It the car, mommy sold all of our things so we could take the trip. We each have one suitcase and an old trunk that mommy said we couldn’t do without.” The Nibblet seemed to be the speaker for the two. She pulled a key ring with one key from out of her overall pocket and handed it to Spike.

“There’s also this, mommy told us to give it to the man who would take care of us.” Give Spike a sealed envelope he put it in his pocket without really thinking about it.

Inside the car were two tiny suitcases and indeed and old trunk. There was no way he was going to be able to carry those let alone the children on the bike. Taking his cell phone from his pocket he punched in Wesley’s number, hoping that he would at least answer a phone call from him, since they all refused to see him. Wesley ever alert as usual answered the phone after two rings.

“What is it Spike?” Wesley knew what the girls had done to him, he didn’t entirely agree with their methods, but he didn’t disagree with them either.

“Get a hold of Gunn for me and tell him to bring his truck. I’m at the beach in Santa Monica, just tell him to look for my bike next to an old blue car. He can’t miss it, it’s about the only thing in sight. Then I need you to remove the barrier from the Hyperion, I’m going to need you and Fred’s help with something. And no before you ask, this has nothing to do with Buffy. Tell Charlie to get a move on it.” Spike hung up the phone looking at the children, who had crawled in the back seat of the car and had fallen promptly asleep.

Thinking this was turning out to be some morning he opened the hatch back of the car and sat down. The children had said they were from Cleveland He had been to Cleveland once, after the debacle of kidnaping Xander and Willow. It was there on the other Hellmouth that he found the information on the Gem of Amara. Having been drunk out of his mind most of the time, a lot of Cleveland he couldn’t remember. He had been stuck in a gutter when someone had pulled him out before he caught aflame. Her name had been Isabelle and he’d used her shamelessly before coming back to Sunnydale. Her face was still clear in his mind, and he was ashamed to have treated the one human woman to have ever cared for him badly.

She’d had long brown hair and eyes the color of maple syrup full of life and laughter. Her body was lush and full of curves a true Raphaelite goddess. When he had awoken from his stupor his first thought had been to shag her senseless, then drain her dry. He’d used his best come on lines only to have her laugh at him, then tell him that no vampire was going to get the better of her, no matter how hot they were. Spike, aghast, then angry, thought of using force to get what he wanted. But the way she looked at him in mirth and friendship made even his demon balk at taking away her light. Instead they spent six months together, most of that time in her apartment wrapped in each other’s arms. When he’d gotten all the information he needed to get the Gem of Amara he’d written her a note. Saying that she needed a good man to look after her, not a vampire that would only cause her pain, or get her killed. Leaving a stack of money behind, he’d left for Sunnydale, never realizing just how much the time spent with her had changed his life. She was one of the reasons for his change that he’d told no one about. Her belief in him had wanted him to be a better man, even if he didn’t see it until later. Now he realized why he had liked Tara so much, her and Isabelle were so alike and Tara like Isabelle was too good for the likes of this world.

Watching the children sleep he felt a peace come over him, a peace that he hadn’t felt since that time with Isabelle. They were beautiful. How could a mother walk off and leave them to a stranger, any number of things could have happened to them, taking away their light forever? Angelus himself had once gotten off on turning children, just so he could watch the demon wage a war inside a body so young. Spike pulled his jacket closer to him, a chill deep in his bones. His demon growled angrily at the thought of anyone laying an ill meaning finger against the two children he was rapidly becoming fond of. He would do whatever it took to keep them safe until they could be back with their family. Hugging his arms around him, Spike heard the crunch of paper in the inner coat pocket. Taking out the envelope his heart caught in his chest as the one word stared up at him in fierce black and white.
Month Seven:Part Two by aerialla
Many many thanks to all the readers. Please read and review, not just mine but every story you read. Many people don't realize just how much it means to us authors.

Now on with the program.....

One word, just one word froze his blood. It stared up at him like some form of evil, making his heart pound worse than when Buffy decided to take her swan dive off crater Sunnydale. There was no possible way that this was happening, not now, not to him. William, his human name blinked at him like some garish neon sign. There were only four people in his vampire existence that knew that name, one was in a coma, two was on his honeymoon, three was stark raving mad, and four, Isabelle. There hadn’t been one shred of his existence that he hadn’t told her during the afterglow in bed. This just bloody well wasn’t possible and must be either a sick, cruel joke or just sheer coincidence. Never one for jokes and praying for a coincidence Spike split the seal on the envelope. Inside was a letter written on two pieces of notebook paper and smelled of lavender, the same scent that followed Isabelle wherever she went. Tears filled his eyes as he read and his heart cried out for her and the injustice he caused her.

William,

By the time you get this I’ll be gone. I always hoped and prayed to whatever and whoever would listen that you would come back for me that you would come back for us. But you never did, not once did you write or call to see how I was. That hurt. Until I found something to keep holding on for.

The children. There ours William, mine and yours. Alyssa Anne (after your mother) and Adrian William (after you). They were born eight months to the day after you left. I used whatever means I had to try to find you, but kept coming up that you were dead. I don’t know why or how it happened. Nevertheless, you and I created two precious lives during our time together. I will love them as I will love you. For all eternity. But I can’t stay, there is somewhere else I have to be, and my time here is running short.

After Alyssa and Adrian were born I found out I had cancer. The doctors said the twins should have never been conceived let alone born. That they were miracles, little did they know just how right they were. With the money you left I was able to find a little house and pay for little things my income didn’t cover. I never actually told them about you. It was too painful but I should have told them that their father was a good man, he was smart and funny, heroic and handsome and you would have loved them beyond all reason. That is my fault and I’m sorry I should have told them about you, I just didn’t know how without going into a lot of things that they wouldn’t understand.

A month ago I was attacked by a vampire coming home, but a young girl along with a passel of others killed him and walked me home. During one of their conversations I overheard them talking about you, and the fact you had regained your soul and that you were in LA. Then the doctors told me that the cancer was spreading rapidly and that I should start making provisions for the children. I sold everything except what the children would need and bought the car. I knew that somehow the children would lead me to you.

You see, they are indeed special. They don’t know it, but they have inherited some of your more useful qualities. Once we left Cleveland I began wearing an old shirt that you had left behind, never having washed it, for fear of washing away your smell, I knew that they would sense you and lead us to you. Seems I was right.

I write this now as I watch you in the moonlight by the ocean. You are sleeping so peacefully though knowing you, more from a hangover than anything. The children are sleeping in the car, but soon I will get them and tell them to stay near you when I say goodbye.

I know what you must think of me leaving them like this, especially since you have a soul. But I can’t bear to have them watch me get weaker until there is nothing left of the mother they knew. I love them and you with everything that is in me that is why is was so important for me to bring you together. Please don’t turn them away William, you’re all they have left in this world. You are their father and if I know you like I believe I do, you will come to love them as much as I. Alyssa is so much like you that some days it hurt my heart just to watch her. She can be brash and bold and not a bit shy and constantly wants approval. Adrian, he’s like me, feisty, with a way of getting into trouble, and a little shy at times.

Love them for both of us William. I will be watching out for all of you.

With all my love forever,
Isabelle


Tears were streaming down Spike’s face as he refolded the letter and put it back in his coat. Getting out and carefully closing the hatch so it wouldn’t wake the children he began pacing in front of the car. If he wouldn’t have known Isabelle, his first thought would have been that she had been with someone else during their time together, but that was not possible. Taking out his phone again he called Wesley again.

“Wes, I need you to get the LA team together have them meet Gunn and me when we get back to the Hyperion, we need to hit some books for research.”

“What’s going on Spike, I know you patrolled last night? Did you run into something that you think is about an apocalypse?” Wesley as usual thought everything revolved around an apocalypse.

“I’ll let everyone know when I get there, just get them there a head of me.” It was hard for Spike to talk since his throat was still pretty choked up. Hanging up the phone again before Wesley could ask any more questions he lit up a cigarette and kept pacing still going when Gunn showed up with his truck.

“Hey, man what are you doing getting me out of bed at this ungodly hour just to come pick up your bleach blonde ass at the beach? Have you finally learned that you, alcohol and that bike don’t go together very well?” Gunn got out slamming the door and walked around to the tail gate lowering it.

“Can you help me load up the bike?” Spike flicked his cigarette to the ground and walked over to the bike kicking its stand up. Walking it over to the truck he helped Gunn get the bike on and strapped down.

“So are you ready, or do you need a few minutes.” Charles was the first one to see somewhat human Spike with a hangover and witnessed first hand how a stomach could rebel on too much alcohol on a stomach not used to being sensitive.

“Hang on a minute, there’s a couple things I have to get first.”

Gunn watched Spike curiously as he walked to an old blue car and opened it’s passenger side door. He was about to yell at his friend when Spike came up holding a little boy in his arms. Spike walked the sleeping boy to the truck and gently placed him inside before going back to the car. All Gunn could do, was stare as Spike this time carried an awake but sleepy little girl in one hand and an old trunk in another. Putting the trunk in the back of the truck, he hopped in setting the little girl in his lap before closing the door. Gunn got in and put the truck in gear.

“So what’s going on man?” He asked looking at his friend with wide eyes as two small children cuddled to what he knew was one of the most fierce vampires to ever walk the earth.

“Just get us to the Hyperion, I’d rather tell everyone at once. It will make it easier on everyone that way.” Spike wasn’t paying much attention to anything for the moment. His mind was still on Isabelle, her letter and the fact that he was a father. A father of the two children who were now nestled in his arms.

The ride to the Hyperion was silent as the children slept and Gunn and Spike both mulled over things in their own way. Gunn wondered what the hell was going on and Spike wondered what the hell he was going to do now.

A few blocks away from the Hyperion, Adrian woke up first rubbing his eyes and yawning. Looking up at Spike he smiled and cuddled closer. Spike rewarded the boy with a returned smile and gladly cuddled him near.

Spike couldn’t get past the idea that the children he held in his arms were his. That he had helped to create these two precious life forms. His soul and his demon were in complete awe, something that had never happened until now. The only question running through his mind was why and how. Big questions that definitely were going to need big answers.

Pulling into the back alley of the Hyperion, Gunn shut off the ignition and got out of the truck. He didn’t quite know what to do, or if Spike wanted him to do anything so he just stood there.

“Gunn, there’s a trunk in the back could you take it inside for me. I need a few minutes along with the children.” Spike opened his door and gently shaking Alyssa awake.

“Come on Poppet, time to wake up.” Holding her in one arm and Adrian in the other, he walked into the garden that Fred was lovingly restoring. Sitting them down on the bench he bent and sat on his haunches facing them.

“There is something that I have to tell both of you. I’d rather tell you now, rather than later. There was a reason your mummy left you by me. I read the letter that she left. She knew how to find me because I’m your father. I didn’t know it, but because of your mummy’s letter I do. I don’t know how good a da I’ll be, but I’ll try.” Spike looked into the eyes of his children’s as they lit up with joy, then propelled backward as both of them launched themselves into his arms.

“I knew you would find us one day daddy, I knew it. Emily at school got a new daddy and I knew someday I would too.” Alyssa hugged her father with all the strength in her small body as her brother did the same. Tears of happiness as his heart expanded and all the walls crumbled from around his heart making it really beat for the first time. He was holding his children so close that he was afraid he’d crush them. These two tiny beings loved him unconditionally without knowing anything about him. Now more than ever he had a family he could call his own.

Doing for some reason seemed to come natural he started tickling their ribs until he had arm fulls of squirming, squealing bundles of joy. Growling low in his throat, he laughed as they scrambled away laughing before tackling him again. Standing up with one in each arm he continued to tickle them as he made his way into the Hyperion lobby. Today the first day of March was the first true day of his life.


.
Month Seven: Part Three by aerialla
For those that read part four. I am very sorry this was supposed to come first. I put them up backwards. Please accept my apologies and Off with my head. Thanks to all the readers your time reading my stories is very precious to me.

Many thanks Aerialla



Everyone turned and stared as Spike walked into the lobby, full of life and laughter. He looked happier than anyone had ever seen. It was as if years of battle scars, turmoil pain and regret had washed away in the matter of minutes. Everyone had been preparing for impending doom or danger, not laughter and joy. The whole gang stood stock still has Spike came to a stop a few feet away from them, righting the children on their feet and taking both by the hand.

Angel was the first to step forward, really curious as to what had happened to his childe in the space of forty eight hours since they ran into each other on patrol. In all their years together Angel had never seen this side to Spike and wondered what kind of a spell they were dealing with.

“Everyone I called you all here for a very special purpose.” Spike stood facing his family and felt a tug on his left hand. Looking down at his son who was motioning for him to come forward he bent and listened while his son whispered in his ear.

“Daddy who are all these people?”

“Just a moment lad and you will find out. But they are nice people and none of them would hurt a hair on you or your sister’s head.” Standing back up, Spike looked each member of his family in the eye before settling on Angel. His demon still had a habit of searching for approval from its Grand Sire.

“Everyone I would like to introduce you to Alyssa and Adrian, my children. Alyssa, Adrian, I would like to introduce you to your family.” Spike was not surprised when the next one that pulled him down was Alyssa.

“Daddy we don’t have any family, just you and mommy. And she’s gone.” Tears were swimming in his daughter’s eyes at what she didn’t dare hope to believe. She was the only little girl at school who didn’t have a family, but she’d always wanted one desperately.

Spike looked at his precious daughter and he could see why Isabelle said she was so much like him. He saw the doubt and the hope she could not voice in her eyes. Bending down he took both children in his arms holding them tightly and showing them that he wasn’t going anywhere.

“I’m positive Poppet, you see because this is my family. I’m sure that they will love you both as much as I do.” He kissed her brow and looked into her eyes as they lit up.

“Really daddy, we have a family now. Your sure do, there are even members of our family that aren’t here today because they live all over the world. But I promise you someday soon you will meet all of them.”

Angel began wondering if it wasn’t them under a spell, because he couldn’t believe what he was seeing. As far as anyone knew he was the only vampire to have a child, but for Spike to have not one but two, and to have beaten him to it by a year. But Angel didn’t want Spike to go through what he did with Connor, so major research was going to be needed. Deciding to be the first to welcome the new family members he walked forward to the children and got down on his haunches.

“Hi, I’m Angel. Since I’m your daddy’s er brother I want to be the first to welcome you to the family. You can even call me Uncle Angel if you want.” Sticking his hand out he shook their hands and patted Spike on the back. Looking into Spike’s eyes he saw a wealth of respect and trust along with relief and thanks. Angel turned around to let the next person to come forward when he heard a soft voice asked.

“Daddy, why does Uncle Angel hair look so stiff.” At that instant Angel knew without a shadow of a doubt that these definitely were Spike’s kids.

“I’ll tell you later Poppet.” Spike said trying hard not to laugh as he saw Angel stop in his tracks. He squeezed his daughters hand instead.

One by one everyone came forward and he couldn’t have been prouder of either side. In some ways it surprised him how welcoming his family was being to his children, but in other ways it did not. Dawn came up last having skipped class along with Connor so they could be here. Her eyes held a look of happiness and sadness. She bent to her knees and without hesitation gathered both children into her arms.

“I’m your aunt Dawn, and I have a feeling that the three of us are going to get along great. Now both of you must be hungry. Would you like to come into the kitchen with me and get some breakfast, I make great Mickey Mouse pancakes.” When she held out her hands the children hesitated. The looked up at there father, asking permission, but also for reasurrance that he would still be there when they got back.

“Its okay, go with Dawn and get some breakfast. I’ll be right out here if you need me.” Hugging each of them to him he handed them over to Dawn. Everyone waited until they were well out of earshot before the question and answer session began.
Month Seven: Part Four by aerialla
With the children now gone, everyone started at the same time. What, why, who, where, why, and especially the how, were flung at Spike in rapid succession. They like Wesley took his happiness and turned it into impending doom.

“If you’d all just listen and shut your gobs. I may be able to tell you.”

“After Dru left me and I left Sunnydale the second time around, I went to Cleveland. Heard there was some information on the Gem of Amara to be found there.” Seeing Angel’s and Cordelia’s scowls at how well that plan turned out, he paused, shaking it off and continued.

“I was drunk and in a gutter when she found me, pulled me out before I fried, then took me home. After I came too, I considered having my way with her, then killing her. I couldn’t, she looked at me and smiled, laughing when I vamped. I did everything I could to intimidate her, she took the lot of it grandly, joking back with me. Now ten years ago, hell seven years ago I would have just killed her, but after spending too much time with the lot in Sunnydale I just couldn’t. Besides kind of liked the thought of not scaring the bird. She was beautiful, her name was Isabelle and Tara reminded me a lot of her actually. She had long dark hair, the most beautiful brown eyes you could ever see and curves that would have had Degas running for pencil and coal.” Spike shrugged out of his jacket laying it over the front desk and began pacing back and forth. Isabelle’s beautiful laughing face kept flashing in his mind almost making him double over in pain. To think of the loveliest creature, inside and out, gone from this world by a cruel twist of fate made every emotion he had churn inside.

“We became friends and lovers. She’s still the only human woman I’ve ever been with. She was a goddess and I was afraid my strength would hurt her. She seemed so fragile, little did I know huh.” Spike’s fingers itched for a cigarette but knew Cordelia would stake him. The whole room was now in silence as he told his tale, something that rarely if ever happened.

“She’s the one who started it all. Me wanting to change to be more than I was. For her. I had just finished getting my info on the Gem when the Order of Taraka ambushed me. Told me they’d kill Isabelle if I didn’t leave town all peaceful like. I couldn’t risk seeing her hurt, and she didn’t belong in my world. I did things that I would never wish for her to see, and couldn’t bear to have her look differently at me. Leaving her some money and a letter and I left, but not before making it known that I’d destroy anything that laid a hair on her head. From there I went to Sunnydale, thinking she was better off without the evil Big Bad around. About the time they chipped me, my children were being born. Leaning against the desk, he felt the rage and sorrow building to a boil inside him.

“How could I have not known? She shouldn’t have had to go through it alone. I should have been there, should have held my children as we brought them into the world, or went back for her. I should have felt that she was dying. She was my mate, how could I have not known.” Spike shouting, his rage reaching a crescendo. He pulled his fist back, ready to take revenge on the wall.

Angel feeling his pain, knowing first hand what it was like, grabbed Spike’s hand before it could do any damage. Spike looked into the eyes of his Sire and collapsed in his arms. Grief shaking him to his very core.

“Isabelle was right there with me on the beach, right beside me Angel. Why didn’t I feel here, why didn’t I know what she was going to do? She was my mate, I loved her, God, why didn’t I know.” It took the last of Spike’s strength just to stand. In the span of seven months he’d lost both women he loved. His demon and his soul howled in pain.

Spike never noticed the other’s leave, giving them both space, time and privacy. Angel held Spike as he would have held Connor in the same situation, the same way Spike would hold Adrian. As a father. He had Spike had spent so many years at war with each other that they never really stopped to see just how alike they were. Seemed to him that the Powers really got a kick out of torturing their favorite vampires.

“Why did this happen, we can’t even walk into the sun anymore to heal the misery. You wanted it, I never did, so why me. Eternal torment, I could handle, by why break my heart and soul forever. It’s a sick and cruel joke, it has to be.” Spike slowly regained his composure, ashamed of himself for falling to pieces. Looking around he watched in tears as his children came into the room, spitting images of Isabelle that he would treasure for eternity.

“Daddy, why are you crying?” Adrian came up to him, pulling him down to his height.

“Because I loved your mother very much, and I am going to miss everything about her pet.” Holding his arms for his children, he was glad when the rushed into them.

“It’s okay Daddy, mommy’s not sick anymore. She’s an angel now and she’ll always be with us.” All Spike could do, was hold his children. Knowing that for as long as he existed, he would mourn their mother. He was grateful for their existence, at least he had these pieces of her with him.

For them he would start a new life. No more fighting and demons, he couldn’t risk their lives. He would give them a normal life. They were his responsibility and he would give them a happy childhood, for the sake of their mother and for him. Spike had lived as a demon would for too long, now for his children it was time to live the life of a human. He was scared that he would mess up, at least he had a great family behind him, knowing they would catch him when and if he would ever fall.

Month Seven: Part Five by aerialla
The Seventh Month: Part Five

Well love a lot has happened this past month, things that
I'm desperately trying to come to terms with. Some of it is down
right frightening, but have filled me with more joy than I've ever
known. But where do, I start telling you all of this.

I guess I'll start after the wedding. Dawn, Fred and Willow kicked
me out of the house and away from your side. Now don't get mad at
them when you read this. They did what they thought was best. And
it was the best thing that could have happened. It helped me to
start looking at things. Things like my life and where I want it to
go.

All I know Buffy is I'm tired, tired of never having anything in my
life other than fighting battles that seem to never end. Now don't
get your knickers twisted. I'm still going to fight the good fight
and all that rot. But I want something more from life, especially
since I am alive again.

It's wondrous Buffy. I can feel my heart beat again. I can feel the
sun on my face and not burst into flames smelling flowers and
spices and taste is better than ever. I thought blooming onions
tasted good before, but now they're incredible.

But now more than ever I have a reason to change. Two reasons
actually. Their names are Adrian and Alyssa and they're right
beside me now, sleeping, one on each side.

They're my children, Buffy. My son and daughter. How it happened
or why I don't really care. They are here with me and that is all
that matter. I look at their beautiful sweet faces and it's made
everything I've ever done good or bad worth it. It all got me to
this point and it brought them to life. Maybe if I would have done
something different along the line they wouldn't be here now. As of
this moment I have no regrets. The Powers gave me two healthy,
beautiful and children that are miracles.

The only thing I would like to know is Why? Why give me children?
Why give William the Bloody something so precious as a child, let
alone two? Why give them life when they were born before I had a
soul, before I started being a man instead of a monster? Maybe
someday The Powers will grant me the knowledge of my question. For
now I am going to love my children and cherish every second. I have
five years to make up for.

You would have liked their Mother. A lot like Tara she was. Her
name was Isabelle and like her name she was sacred. I met her after
the fiasco in Sunnydale after Dru left. Met her in Cleveland. She
took pity on a drunk, pathetic vampire and gave me some of the best
months of my life. I loved her Buffy. Loved her like I should have
loved you. With tenderness and romance. She never once treated me
like a monster even though she knew I was one. The first time I
vamped in front of her she laughed. Then told me to go look in the
mirror. When I looked at her funny, she just laughed even harder
since she knew I wouldn't have a reflection. She told me that
really I looked ridiculous. Even when I threatened to drink her dry
then pick my teeth with her bones she laughed.

She was definitely one of a kind. I would bring her all kinds of
gifts which she would accept graciously, then donate them to one
charity or another saying she didn't want what I could give her, she
only wanted me. She was the only one besides my own mum to ever
love me for me. I would write horrible poetry which she would make
me read to her and she loved it when I brought her daisies which I
did every morning.

Isabelle was a treasure, the brightest to ever live. I'm sad to say
she's no longer in this world. She left me a letter saying that she
had cancer and didn't have any strength left to live. The children
told me she said goodbye and walked into the ocean. I'm going to
miss her, just knowing she was alive out there somewhere gave me
hope for the world. Going to miss knowing that her brown eyes were
lit up with laughter and love, and her laugh, both most of all her
kindness and her joy of life.

I wish I would have brought her with me, but she would have never
survived in our world and I couldn't bear to see the light ever
extinguished from her eyes. But now she's gone and I will miss her
and love her for all eternity. I see her in the children. They
have her eyes and her smile. The wondrous thing is I also see me.
I will do whatever it takes for them to keep the qualities that
Isabelle bestowed upon them alive and well. It's the least I can do
for her.

I just wish I would have been there with her when they were born.
To have held my newly born children in my arms, to have seen their
first smiles and heard their first words. I never got to see them
take their first steps or to read them to bed at night. I was too
busy getting a chip in my head and trying to pin you against Adam.
I hope that somehow my selfishness kept her alive, because you know
as well as I, even anyone found out then that they were born from a
vampire and a human they may not have been alive now.

Looking down at them sleeping so peacefully curled next to me I am
grateful that I get to spend the rest of their lives with them. I
want to be a good father and I'm sure the three of us will muddle
along just fine. A strange thing is they actually seem to like me,
which in itself can be a scary thing. They were happy that I was
their father, which can say either a little or a lot. The most
important thing is I'm happy their mine.

For now, I'm going to take things one day at a time and see where it
all leads. I'm past the feelings of just hanging on for you. Now I
need to hang on for me. I've never had anyone ever need me like
Alyssa and Adrian are going to need me and it's definitely going to
be a change. I have to be strong for them and give them a childhood
that they deserve. Get them away from LA, and cities that seem to
have more demons than humans. I don't think that they are in school
yet, so I may have sometime to get them settled before we cross that
hurdle. Right now my main concern is finding a place to live.
Because I can't come back there with you, as much as I want to. To
be with you every day like I'm used to. I don't think that they
will understand and with the things that have went on in that house
might not make it a good environment for them. For the time being
we're at the Hyperion. Luckily the children have really taken to
having a big family and are relishing all the attention.

That's all for now luv. I will write more when I get the chance.
As of right now I don't know when that will be, but I will try. At
this moment I am going to cuddle up with my children and sleep like
a man who is happy and content for the first real moment of his
life. So goodnight Buffy pleasant dreams and I love you.

Always Yours
William.


Turning off the light Spike put the book on the floor and pulled the
covers over him and his children and fell asleep holding both of
them close their heads using his chest for their pillow.

Angel walked by and gently pushed the door open. Taking in the
sight he immediately went to his old room and retrieved a charcoal
pencil and paper. With the moon as his only light he sketched his
family, pouring his own emotions as a father out onto the page.
When finished he looked at the picture and its subjects with love
and pride. Spike in a short amount of time had become something he
wished to be again. A father. Placing the picture next to the
light he closed the door behind him and walked downstairs his hands
in his pockets and a smile on his face. Tonight he was going to
take his wife home and start on the family that would complete and
cement their love for each other.
Month Eight by aerialla
This chapter is dedicated to Valerie, Veronica, Marla, spikette55 and everyone else at Heartsfalling Yahoo Group. You guys are the best. This story would still just be in my computer if it wasn't for you. Thank you all so much my the bottom of my heart. All of you have given me wings to fly, speedy fingers to type, and a muse that is effulgent.


Inside the Hyperion everyone could hear laughter throughout the building as two children had a blast playing hide and go seek with their father. Who always seemed to find them no matter what floor or what wing they were in. On the top floor, where wind was carried through the broken windows, they hid. This time it had taken him longer than before to find them, but they weren’t scared. Both of them knew that they only had to shout once before he heard and came running. The game had actually become less about the hiding and more about how long it would take Daddy to find them. So far they had eluded him for fifteen minutes and counting, but they knew he had to be getting close and decided at the last minute to change their location, which led them to the top floor. Their bodies were light enough that they never made a squeak on the old floor boards and they were skinny enough to get through the smallest openings. Since neither child was afraid of the dark there was any place in the old hotel that the children hadn’t wanted to explore.

Uncle Angel and Uncle Gunn had roped off the places that we did not allow them to go under any circumstances. They had told the children that the floors were really weak and wouldn’t even stand up to their slight weight. Neither child had dared yet to cross the boundary since they had access to the rest of the hotel and since the night that Adrian had almost been hurt when he fell partway through a floor.

Carefully covered in an old armoire they waited trying hard not to giggle and give themselves away when they heard their father’s bellowing voice coming from the stairway landing at the end of the long corridor.

“Fee, fie, fo, fum, I smell the blood of nice ripe children. When I find them, and you know I will I’m going to drink them dry and use their bones for kindling.” Spike in vamp face smelled the air catching his son and daughter’s unique scents and followed, his yellow eyes enhancing his vision in the near pitch blackness. He heard Alyssa stifle a giggle at his rant so much like her mother’s that it constricted his heart. Then he heard Adrian’s softer shushing.

“The Big Bad Vampire is going to eat the children for lunch when he finds them. Then he’s going to rip out their entrails and jump rope with them.” Spike made a big play of looking in each room and making as much noise as possible. Remembering their awe when he told them what he and Uncle Angel were, and what a part of them was. He had figured it was time when the children had caught him and Angel sparring in the lobby in game face. The fear on their faces had almost ripped his soul in two.

They had run from him and Angel and into a room on the fourth floor where Adrian had fallen through a section of rotted floor. The only thing that saved him from breaking a bone or possible death had been his T-shirt getting caught on the broken beam. It had only taken his father three minutes to find him, but the lesson stayed with him. Even fearful of her father Alyssa had screamed “Daddy” so loud that Spike’s ears rang from the reverberation. Since that night they never set one foot passed the ropes.

Spike had sat them down along with Angel and told them about vampires and where they came from. They were to never trust any other vampires other than him and Angel. If they ever saw one they were to run and hide as fast as they could. It had taken Spike wearing game face for two whole days before they were comfortable enough with it. Until it just what abilities the children possessed due to their mix of vampire and human blood became known, Spike was adamant about teaching them how to survive if any other vampires came along and tried to hurt them. That was the beginning of their games.

The idea for their game of hide and seek came from Dawn and how upset she had been as a kid, because Buffy for some reason would always be able to find her quickly whereas it would take Dawn forever to find Buffy. Little did they know as children that Buffy’s slayer abilities were already in play.

Hearing their father getting closer Alyssa and Adrian did what their father taught them to do, they quieted down forcing through sheer willpower their hearts too deathly slow and their breathing deep and long rather than short. Covered in the old dusty clothes left in the closet they knew their scent would be masked long enough for the game to continue. Closing their eyes, they opened their ears to all the sounds that could be heard. Sometimes they got so quiet and still that they could even see or hear each other. It was hard not to giggle at Daddy’s comments and sometimes they would give themselves away. But today was different, they didn’t want him to find them today. So staying very quiet and still, listening as he came closer.

Spike noticed their shift almost immediately. If he wouldn’t have known his children so well he never would have caught it. Almost like a light switch going off they were no longer on his vamp radar. Pride swelled his chest, this was the first time that they had successfully done it. His working with them every day had paid off. Now even a master vampire wouldn’t be able to pick them up. Walking back out the room door, he nodded for Angel who stood leaning against the wall at the door to the stairs.

This was something the children didn’t know about during their games. They thought it was just they and Daddy, but Spike had not told them about Angel. Angel would follow Spike stalking and lurking as was his specialty waiting for a signal from Spike. Today was the first day he had gotten the signal. It meant that Spike had lost them and now it was time to see if any other vampires could pick up what he didn’t. Spike’s intimate knowledge of his children was something that boggled Angel’s mind. Their bond was exceptionally strong, and was something he had wanted to have with Connor, but was never meant to be. It was at times like this when Spike’s bond was also a deterrent because he would ignore some subtle clues that Angel would pick up on.

As if on wings Angel seemed to glide to where Spike stood. His face vamping to get a better look at things. Opening his nose, he breathed deep for any clues. Catching their very faint smell, he motioned Spike to a door at the end of the hall.

Angel sniffed around knowing the children had definitely been in the room and recently as their faint scent was still fresh. Opening his mind even more, he tried to find them. Going back to the hall he sniffed around to see if they had left the room, walking forward he caught their scent again and followed it until he found himself running in circles. Knowing he wasn’t getting anywhere with their scent except dizzy he felt pride. They had succeeded in blocking that out, now it was time to try to hear them. Opening his ears, he tuned into every sound that was around. Down the hall he could hear a mouse scuttle across the floor, along with Spike’s faint heartbeat and slight breath. Opening more he could hear Wesley slamming the filing cabinet shut downstairs and Cordelia pouring another cup of coffee, which why was she drinking coffee anyway. If they had any hopes of starting a family then she was going to have to lay off the coffee and didn’t he see her reach for a third donut this morning.

Closing out the other thoughts he focused yet again on the children walking down the hallway and a little way into each door. Once at the end he found himself retracing his steps in circles. They had backtracked so many times it was making his senses dizzy. He like Spike immediately felt pride, they had done it. The children had completely masked themselves from both him and their father. Now all they had to do was find them so they could congratulate them.

Spike and Angel both looked at each other and smiled. They would now be able to use the signal they and the children had worked up to let them know the coast was clear and they could come out now. On the count of three both vampires let out loud growls much like that of a lion calling its cubs.

Alyssa and Adrian giggled with glee at the growls that shook the room. They had finally done it and had won the game. Moments later their covers were thrown off and they were hauled into the strong arms of their father each one of them wrapped around a different arm. Arms that were attached to hands that start their immediate tickling under both children thought for sure they would have to run for the bathroom.

“I’m so proud of both of you. You did a fine job.” Knowing that his children would be able to protect themselves in some small way was a big relief for Spike.

“Can we have our treat now Daddy?” Alyssa, her eyes shining brightly with all the joy of childhood hugged her father around the neck her small head fitting perfectly in its crook. Adrian followed suit until both children were tucked into their father

“Please Daddy, you promised.” Adrian whispered in Spike’s ear.

“That I did poppet. And yes you may, then its off to bed. Both of you look a little worn out.”

“First lunch and then you may have your prize.” Spike carried them both downstairs to the kitchen still every bit in love with the way they felt next to him as the first time he held them.

Angel walked behind the family in awe, not only at his childe’s skill as a father and with envy. He hoped beyond anything that soon he would be able to do the same with his own. There were times like know that his arms would give anything to hold Connor that way again, close and safe.

He continued to watch and brood as Spike and the children made their favorite lunch of mini pizzas and buffalo wings. Making a mess of the kitchen and having so much fun that Angel laughed at their antics. Taking note when Spike went from childlike himself to an adult in 2.2 seconds when Alyssa burned her finger on the stove. He watched as Spike ran the finger under water then took a bandage and ointment from the first aide kit. Angel almost had to turn away as Spike bent down and kissed his daughter’s finger before pulling her in a hug and wiping away her tears. The blast of love in the room was so powerful that it choked him up, wishing as a child he would have had a father such as Spike was to his children, warm, open and loving without condemnation. It was the kind of father he wanted to be and missed becoming with Connor. Leaving the eating family in the kitchen, he went out to the office, snatched Cordelia’s hand and raced with her upstairs to a free bedroom.

Spike in the kitchen watched as his children started dozing off before they had finished their lunch. Poor sprites had really worn themselves out, they were going to have to wait for their prize, a nap was definitely in order. Gently scooping them up in his arms, he took them upstairs to the room the three of them had absconded as their own. Grateful Angel had decided on another floor to spend time with his wife. Spike could hear their moans and sighs coming from the floor above, but thankfully the children would not.

Stripping off their shoes he laid them down and tucked them in, they had fallen fast asleep on the walk up. Stealing out of the room he returned to the kitchen and cleaned up the mess before coming back into the room. Taking off his boots, he sat next to the children and pulled out his journal.


It’s the eighth month now luv. Eight months since you’ve been gone, but the first month that I have been a father. No research we have done in any way has lead to anything, no prophecy, no nothing really. Either they slipped underneath all radars somehow, which makes them true miracles, or we aren’t meant to find out yet.

A while ago I would have never thought that something would come along that I would love as much as you. But instead of a something, I have two. Two wonderful reasons to enjoy every day of life. I hope that when the time comes you will love them as much as I. I look at them an they amaze me, how much of me I see in them. Not just the me parts that is Spike, but the me that is William. Maybe what the demon that is vampire just brings the darkness that lies in all of us to the front, extinguishing the light.

I can tell you honestly that even as William I had the urge to destroy. The night I was turned I could have tapped into that anger very easily. To be ridiculed in front of your peers by your peers all of your life, all it takes is a breaking point. Who knows what would have happened that night if Drusilla wouldn’t have turned me. Maybe my soul would have been sent to hell all on its own. It was William that wanted the revenge, but let the demon take it for him in the way of railroad spikes. I was so hurt and angry that night I could have done it, if not that then ended my own life because of the misery. Being a vampire helped me use the hurt and anger to my own advantage, because never again was I going to be made a fool. More the fool I. I should have looked at my so-called friends back them and realized that they weren’t my friends and went to strides to find a group that would accept me for who I was. A pathetic man and a bloody awful poet.

Now I have not only family, but friends that accept me for who I am inside. The man I have become not the man I’m not or was. That means an incredible amount to me, not only for me but for Alyssa and Adrian. They get to be brought into a family that truly loves and cares for one another. The only thing I worry about is the children seeing the horrors that we see on a daily basis at such a young age. I brood on it every day, so much that even Peaches has noticed. Never said anything about it mind you, but he’s noticed.

I know I want to be close to you that it tears my heart apart to be away from you for as long as we have. But I have to think of them. LA’s not a good place for them. They need room to run and play, have a dog and live the life of normal children. Because you know as well as I that they will never be entirely normal children. Having a father who’s a vampire makes them different. I can already tell. They have abilities that regular humans don’t have. The added strength, hearing and smell. They don’t know it and I have no desire right now to tell them. But there will come a time when they will need to know. Hopefully that day will be far away.

Twice now we’ve had attempts to take the children. Not because anyone knows their lineage, but because here they are the venerable link in our chain. Luckily Angel and I were able to stop them before the children even found out, but they are in danger here, and I may have no choice but to move them to a spot where I can keep them safe and away from any demon finding out who their father is. Which means that I will have to leave you behind to keep my children from harm.

Dawn still has not lifted her ban on me seeing you, and there are times like now when I want to rip out her spine. I want to see your face, to talk to you and pull you through. I love you more than my own life Buffy and it is tearing me up inside to know that I will have to choose. You may yet again have a man leave you for his own selfish reasons. I only pray that you will hold no grudge against my children, for taking me away from you at a time when you need me. But they are mine and I must do what is best for them, even if it means leaving you behind for now.

Know this Buffy that I love you with everything that I am and will until I walk this world no longer, but I have to do what’s right. You taught me that love, no matter what, we have to do what’s right, even if we hurt other’s in the process.

With all my love
William.
Month Nine by aerialla
Author's Notes:
The tenth month
He was sure he’d found the perfect house. It was an hour north of L.A. and a huge rambling place that had at one time been a bed and breakfast. Dilapidated stairs led down to a private beach and the ten acres of proverbial backyard forest would be an idyllic playground for the children. The drive to get to the house was a half mile long and with cliffs on two sides the location was secure. If anything were to ever go down, he would see them coming and would have time to prepare. Spike was not naive enough to believe that no one would ever not try to get the children once their identities became known in the demon world.

It would be some time before the place would be habitable so they would be living at the Hyperion for a little while longer at least. The whole house spoke of neglect and age. The realtor said the place had been empty for close to twenty years seems bad blood between families kept the heir from ever claiming the property and when she died a few weeks previously her heir decided to sell. A prime location had started a bidding war which skyrocketed the price. Spike was not going to be deterred, he wanted the house and intended to have it. Telling the realtor that any bid that was placed his would be higher. Money was no object. The other’s finally backed out due to sheer frustration.

Spike had brought Cordelia with him to overlook the place and to make a list of all the things that would need to be done. It was more to get her and Angel out of each other’s hair more than anything, and he did have to hand it to the cheerleader she definitely had a sense of style that was unsurpassed.

Angel had not stopped mothering the poor girl when two weeks ago they found out they were going to be parents. He watched everything she ate and everything she did. It was after their huge row this morning that Spike decided to give the two a little bit of space. It would keep Cordy out of the Hyperion and Angel out of her hair. The house would become her pet project. Spike was leaving all the decisions to her, all he wanted to do was sign the checks.

“Are you sure you can afford this Spike? Wouldn’t it be easier to just tear the place down and start from scratch?” Cordelia stepped out of Spike’s new S.U.V. It was one of the new purchases he’d made since the children. She had to hand it to him, when it came to the children he spared no expense when it came to them. Since Spike hadn’t been an actual employee of Wolfram and Hart and refused to take a paying position with Angel Inc., Cordy wondered where Spike got his money. And since she was wondering she figured she might as well ask. Tact just still wasn’t one of her strong suits.

“So Spike, where is all the money coming from? I love sitting on Italian leather seats as much as the next girl, but I just keep wondering if we’re going to get pulled over because the person you robbed has found you.” Cordelia hefted her bag onto her shoulder and stared at him in the sunlight while Spike stared at the house and past it toward the ocean.

“Unlike Angelus, I have always had a stock portfolio. It’s just easier and pisses people off more when I borrow from them, especially Peaches.” Spike didn’t turn to look at her just breathed in the crisp fresh smell of the sea letting it fill his lungs and try to ease the ache in his heart. Buffy would love this place.

“What kinds of portfolios are we talking about here. Bonds, oil, come on you have to tell me now.” Cordelia was intrigued by yet another difference she saw between him and Angel. They were so alike yet so different. If no one really knew better, some might think they were blood. Which kind of, they were, but not in the fully human biology kind of way.

“Just some things I’ve bought over the years. Things that caught my fancy. My family was quite wealthy when I was turned, and after my mother died I had all the solicitors make donations all over London and close left the house to the maid’s family. The stocks I kept in my name along with some trinkets that will go to Alyssa and Adrian one day. I’m just glad I pulled out of Whitestar before the Titanic sank, now that loss would have hurt.” Spike turned to look at her. Only a month into her pregnancy and Cordy was already glowing. With the sun shining on her and her brown eyes full of warmth and life for a brief instant he saw Isabelle and closed his mind toward that memory before he started brooding worse than his sire.

“So what stocks do you own and just what do your trinkets entail.” Cordelia looked at him intrigued and almost had to look away when she saw his pupils dilate with a flash of what looked like pain.

“Odds and ends really. I only invested in what I liked. Coca-Cola, Ford, Microsoft, Virgin just for the name alone, Sony because their games are the best on the market, there are some other, but those are the main ones. As for trinkets, lets just say that Fred Leighton and Cartier would be jealous.” Spike laughed at how Cordy’s face lit up with glee at the mention of jewels.

“How many carats are we talking?” Cordy asked breathlessly in awe.

“Oh, a few thousand worth, give or take the total. That’s not counting the semiprecious mind you, just in diamonds. I couldn’t even begin to count those.” Spike winked at her and walked to her when she looked like she was going to be dizzy.

“A few thousand, just what the heck did your father do anyway.” Batting away Spike’s hand, she looked at him curiously.

“Da., well he was in the shipping business, left mum and I alone for ten months out of the year. Other’s would say he was a pirate. Now my mum, she was a proper lady with an old family full of Lords and Ladies, grew up in a gentile life until she met my da. and he swept her off her feet. She could have been a princess considering the Prince Regent at the time wanted her for himself. But mum followed her heart even though she was alone more oft than not. Da., died from a musket ball through the heart while in Barbados, at least it was a noble death. He was protecting a slave child from his master when the overseer shot him. Mum cried her heart out for months, she had the child brought over to England since my father had risked his life for the lass, mum thought it was the least she could do.”

Spike recalled the memory of the little girl full of fright, no shoes to speak of, dress in tatters, but the face of an angel with copper colored skin and dark eyes that had seen too much for any child. His mother had loved the child as her own daughter and shockingly for her said to hell with anyone who wanted to say otherwise. Unfortunately the child had not lived to see her eleventh birthday. Catherine as his mother had christened her took to ill with pneumonia and never recovered. Spike had gotten the message while at Eton and had rushed home, but it was too late, the little girl who stole his heart as his little sister was gone forever.

“So do you want to go in the house, or are we just going to stand out and admire the scenery all morning?” Leave it to Cordelia to break him away from his thoughts with such alacrity.

Luckily for the trip she had worn sensible jeans and tennis shoes instead of looking like a fashion mag for a change. Spike really didn’t want to listen to her tirade if she happened to get good clothes dirty. And that was not just a possibility inside of the house. If they did not come out looking like chimney sweeps then he would be surprised.

Together they stepped gingerly up the rotting stairs and onto the wraparound porch that would either have to be replaced or removed. Taking a set of antiquated keys from his pocket Spike opened the massive solid oak front door. He hoped that Cordelia wouldn’t turn and run the moment she stepped inside. The place was filthy, cobwebs hung from every available surface, even some that weren’t available. Grim covered everything in a thin grey coating. At any moment you expected someone to pop out from a corner and go Boo. Cordelia turned to him as they crossed over the vestibule.

“Are you sure this place is safe? Are we going to catch some horrible disease just by breathing in the air? And do you know that the gothic period was over before it began? I thought the Hyperion was bad when we first took it over, but this is from a bad horror movie.” Cordelia took a wet cloth out of a package in her purse and was frantically using it to clean her hands. She knew that she had to rub it into Spike about the house’s condition, but even she could see it’s possibilities, the wet wipes had been an added needling bonus. It really was no fun being mean for mean sake anymore, but she still did enjoy getting a jab in here and there, someone had to keep the gang on their toes.

“Yes, no and yes in that order. Maybe I shouldn’t have picked you for the job, I can always see if Dawn or Fred want the job, I’m sure they would love putting their stamp along with mine of course on the place.” Spike knew that Cordy was salivating at the job, hungry to get the project off the ground. He could tell by the way she was walking around with a notepad in hand rapidly taking notes.

“Don’t you dare, you asked the right girl for the job? I will tell you one thing I’m not cleaning this place, decorating yes, but I draw the line at being up to my neck in this filth.” Cordelia smiled at his baiting and began wondering around the massive foyer. Luckily the wood was still original and had not been painted, with a number of polishes, the wood would be beautiful. A gorgeous pewter and crystal chandelier hung over their heads, suspended from a beam in the surprising still perfect stained-glass sky light. Grime had settled onto the crystals that had fallen through holes in the cloth that covered the chandelier making them almost as gray as the iron to which they were attached. A huge grandfather clock stood as a sentinel against the wall opposite the stairs which were open twisting and turning as they rose to the above two floors.

Beveled glass sliding pocket doors graced three adjoining rooms which Cordelia guessed were the sitting room, and formal parlor and dining room. Using another wipe she opened the door on the left, even after the years the well-oiled doors slid back effortlessly into their niches. The room still held its furniture covered in dust clothes that in Cordelia’s mind only allowed the animals a roof over their heads. The cabbage rose wallpaper was yellow with age and in tatters against the walls. Plaster from the ceiling littered the floor in chunks and dust in some spots making the floor boards visible above. Two massive bay windows filled the room with natural light which shone on the rooms focal point a huge marble fireplace. Cordelia wouldn’t know the color of the marble until after the cleaners had come, then she could decorate the room to coordinate with its natural colors.

Leaving the room, she didn’t bother closing the doors, letting the light from the room fill the foyer. Going into the door on the right, she found again what had once been a magnificent room. A grand piano was covered in cloth along with the rest of the furniture and just like before bay windows were positioned with yet another marble fireplace which stood in one corner. The red and green striped wallpaper had faded into pastel and was in the same shape as the previous room. This room like the previous had another set of pocket doors leading from the room, opening them Cordelia walked in not bothering to see if Spike was following her or not.

Cordelia stepped into the dining room where a massive dining table to seat twelve stood. It did not overwhelm the room much to Cordelia’s satisfaction. Another chandelier hung over the table but this one was covered with a cloth but from what Cordelia could tell it was pewter just as the one in the foyer. Another marble fireplace adorned the room in the corner obviously connection to the one in the sitting room. Glass French door opened to the porch and a massive side board completed the room. Cordelia couldn’t tell what the wallpaper’s color had been as it had faded to a pale yellow. She was yet pleased to see that all the oriental carpet in the room’s had survived the test of time in remarkable condition. If cleaned properly, they could be saved, not that Spike couldn’t afford new, there was just something to be said about beautiful antique rugs. Two doors ran from this room and if Cordelia’s assumption and research to get ready for this project were correct then one would lead into the butler’s pantry and the library.

Heading to the left toward the library, Cordelia opened yet another set of doors into a dark room whose bay window did nothing to brighten the room. Paneling covered the whole room from ceiling to floor. Wing back chairs sat on sides of the fireplace and in opposite direction of a massive desk. What took Cordelia aback was not the darkness but the big game heads that seemed to cover every inch of the wall above waist height. She sniffed her nose in disgust at the display and promptly decided that all would go including the polar bear she back into that made her scream in surprise. Spike who had seen it with his vamp eyes chuckled at her. Cordelia picked up a stuffed Lemur off the floor and flung it at his head.

“Hey now watch it, that thing might fetch a pretty penny at the auction.” Spike grabbed the offensive object before it could do him any damage and he set it on the floor.

“What do you mean by auction?” Cordelia asked not bothering to turn to look at him, instead she strode back through the door and into the dining room, then into the butlers pantry.

Spike followed on her heels and into the small L-shaped cabinet lined room. Looking around they both noticed that all the dishes were still in their place, never having been removed. It was actually a little creepy. The room got little light from the kitchen and dining room something that Cordelia would soon remedy.

“I mean the auction of stuff that we decide goes. Which will probably be half of the junk in this place? Anything of significant value I’ll either keep or donate to a museum, but the rest goes.” Spike followed Cordelia into the kitchen and like her was surprised to see such a light and bright room compared to the rest of the house. Windows gracing the room overlooked the sea and the backyard a feature that Spike loved. He could sit in here and watch the children at play. Off to one side was a small dining nook along with a laundry room and another pantry that would make a nice sized bathroom.

“That’s a good idea, be a lot easier than just having to haul everything away. Where will you store everything until that time?” Cordelia exited the room, making her way up a second back set of stairs. The stairs that the help would have once used so as not to disturb their employers.

“So how many bedrooms and bathrooms are up here?” Cordelia was glad that the steps were not as steep as step could be in a house this old.

“Six bedrooms and four bathrooms. There’s also another set of stairs that goes to the third floor. You can’t get to the third floor from the main or back stairs.” Spike almost ran into Cordelia who had stopped in the middle of the upstairs hall and was frantically making notes in her notebook. It amazed him at just how into this she was. She had not really complained once, was instead taking on the task with a zest he didn’t think he’d ever seen in her. It was refreshing and truth be told a little unnerving. A lot had changed with the cheerleader since she had come back to life, she was kinder and softer but still had the spine of steel that made her Cordelia.

While Cordelia went from room to room with her list in hand he waited in the hallway. Taking out his cell phone he hit the first number on his speed dial. It picked up on the first ring with Fred sweet Texan drawl on the other end.

“Angel Investigations, we help the helpless.”

“It’s just me Fred, are the children close by?” Spike leaned against the wall not caring how filthy he got. He was anxious to hear his little one’s voices. He’d only been gone for just over two hours and he missed them so much that his heart ached. Soon they would be here in this house, just the three of them and a family. Things could not come together quick enough for him.

“Just a minute Spike.” In the distance he heard Fred calling for the children. At the sound of their laughter his heart picked up speed with pride and joy. Alyssa was the first to get to the receiver.

“Daddy!” She exclaimed loud enough to puncture and ear drum.

“Yes it’s me poppet, are you being good for Auntie Fred?” He knew that they were essentially good children, but like all children could get into mischief from time to time.

“Yes, Daddy. We’re baking chocolate chip cookies . . . Adrian give me back the phone!” Spike heard the phone being wrestled away then he heard the voice of his son.

“Daddy, we’re baking cookies but Auntie Fred said we couldn’t have any until their cool. I didn’t listen and one burnt my tongue . . . Hey give it back!” Yet again the phone was torn away and Alyssa was back on. The joy of having twins.

“Daddy, Adrian didn’t listen and he got hurt. Are you going to be back soon, we miss you, Daddy?” At the same time in the background he heard his son yell “I miss you too, Daddy!”

“Alyssa let your brother put his ear up to the phone too, then I can talk to both of you at the same time.” There was some scuffling then at the same time their voices rang in chorus.

“We’re here.” Spike smiled his heart filled with love for these two precious little creatures.

“I will be home soon, Alyssa quit bossing your brother around, and Adrian, do as your Auntie Fred tells you. If I find out, you have not done what I asked there will be any dessert after supper. Now put Auntie Fred on the phone. I love you both.” In the background he heard his children calling their adopted Aunt who picked up the phone moments later.

“Are my little love’s giving you any problems?” Spike couldn’t help holding in the snicker that fell from his lips. His children could indeed be rotten, but they were his.

“Nothing I can’t handle, though if they do continue to bounce from wall to wall I just may have to hog tie them to a chair. They’re fine really, nothing I can’t handle. I have to learn to do this anyway.” Fred on the other end in the office of the Hyperion lazily rubbed her still smooth stomach.

“Have you told him yet luv?” Slowly the girl had become such a good friend, almost like a sister that he would willing die for her if he was able to.

“Not yet.” Spike could hear the nervousness in her voice.

“And why the bloody hell not, Junior Watcher is going to be over the moon.” Spike was happy for them, but like Angel he knew just how mortal his family was.

“I keep meaning to, but then I get scared. I start babbling until he’s looking at me strange, then I just lose all nerve.” Fred started babbling just thinking of telling Wesley.

“You know he’s going to figure it out sooner or later luv, might as well bite the bullet and tell him.”

“I will soon, I promise. I’d better go before the kids eat all the cookies. I’ll talk to you later.” Fred with hands shaking, hung up the phone. She knew she would have to tell Wesley soon that she was pregnant she just didn’t know how. It would be easier completely disproving Einstein’s theory of relativity, which just may give her something to do until she was able to build up her nerve.

Spike hung up his phone and placed it back in his pocket. Soon their whole gang was going to be married off and starting families, it saddened him that Buffy wouldn’t be one of those people, at least not yet anyway. With his hearing he could still hear Cordelia scribbling away, opening doors and stomping through the rooms, he should have just enough time to make a journal entry before they returned home. Tomorrow they would get the ball rolling on the house, and soon the place would be home.


Soon, well in actually three months you will have been away from us for a year. A year that I have not heard your laughter or seen your smile. A year in which you haven’t known that I was alive and now more or less human. I wish you were here Buffy.

I’m sitting in a filthy hallway in what will soon be our home. Adrian and Alyssa don’t know yet I’ve decided to leave it a surprise for them until the house is finished. If I tell them now they’ll be begging to come here every day, then no one would get any work done.

The place is huge, old and overlooks the ocean. You would love it here pet, it’s peaceful. Just sitting here I can hear the roar or the ocean even though there are three acres of land between here and the cliff. I’m sure the storms will be a site so I may think of soundproofing the children’s rooms to some degree.

Cordelia’s here now taking notes. I decided to give her a job to keep her occupied and from her and Angel out of each other’s hair. They found out that Cordelia’s pregnant not more than two weeks ago and they are making each other miserable. Angel is mothering Cordy to death and she’s doing things to purposely aggravate him.

Dawn says that once the house is completed I can come and visit again. However, it can’t be ready in any less than three months and that’s with crews working night and day. I really want to wring the girl’s neck. She makes me so angry that I can’t even bear to be around her any more for fear that I will attack her. She had no right to keep me from seeing you for this long, even Willow says it’s been too long, but will Dawn lament. NO! She says that when I’m settled in my own life that I can be with you again. That she doesn’t want me back where I was.

I know her intentions are meaningful, but I have adjusted to my life. I’ve had to now that I’m a father to two imps. They grow more each day Buffy, so much that I want to capture each moment I spend with them and make it last forever. I haven’t told anyone my fears, so I will put them here for you. I fear watching them growing older, watching them grow old and die. Knowing there’s not a damn thing I can do but watch. Only Angel knows what it is like, but who knows with Cordelia being some supreme being, if they will go through the same thing. My children are mortal, they will age and eventually leave me. Maybe that’s what my fear is more than normal, it’s because I can’t bear the thought of watching those that I love grow old and leave me. Its times like this when I get as broody as Angel that I wish there was a loophole to this thing we call immortality, because sometimes it’s hell.

But onto good news, we are going to be getting another addition to our family besides Angel and Cordelia’s little spawn. Wesley and Fred are going to be expecting their own little mite. Fred’s known know for almost two and a half month and still hasn’t told Wesley, she’s afraid to. She doesn’t think that they are ready for it yet. I told her that it was too late to think of that now, because whether she likes it or not, there’s a little one coming.

Everyone else is doing the same luv, we’ve had nothing major happen except a couple of incidents where the children were almost kidnaped. It’s one of the reasons for me moving way out here, I can protect them better here. Other than that everyone’s fine. Willow pops in and out whenever she wants, Dawn is still doing well in college, Xander is dating one of the new potentials in Chicago and running a training center there. Giles keeps saying that he’s retiring soon and letting the rest of us have a go for awhile in saving the world. In my opinion though he never will, he likes the fight just as much as the rest of us. Well except me luv.

When the house is done and the children are settled I’m giving the fight until they’re older. They need me to be their father, not a super hero, I’ve already told everyone and they’re fine with it. They know that Alyssa and Adrian come first in my life now, and they have chosen to accept it. If there comes a time when there is no other option then yes I will fight but only if there is no option. I want my children to have a normal life as possible, one that doesn’t include demons (other than family of course), mayhem and bloodshed. I could use the break too, there has been nothing but blood and guts in my life since I was made a vampire. Now I want to see how the other half lives, write a novel, learn to cook, hell I might even join the bloody PTA.

Well I hear Cordelia coming so she must be finished. Until later luv. I dream of you every night and pray that someday you’ll want to help me raise my children and who knows maybe have another of our own.

Always yours,
William.
Month Ten by aerialla
Work was going well on the house, better than Spike had anticipated, having money meant that he got things done when he wanted, not when the contractor wanted. They had torn off the front porch and a new one was in its place. Hired cleaners had scrubbed the inside from top to bottom, and this weekend would be the auction for all the pieces that he and the children would have no use for, which meant more of the heavier wooden pieces. He expected all of it to go for quite a tidy sum of money.

Spike hadn’t told Fred and Wesley yet but he played on setting up the baby a trust fund with the money. He was glad Fred had finally gotten around to telling Wesley the good news. After he and Angel had picked the man up from where he had fainted he became jubilant. Wesley had swung Fred around so much in his arms that the poor girl had to run for the bathroom before she lost her breakfast.

His own two little poppets had not changed which for him was a marvelous thing. Spike still had not told them about the house but did tell them that he was working on a secret project for them and that was the reason why he was away from them so often during the day. He was always home to spend the evening with them, to make them dinner and watch the million and one Disney movies that they never ceased to get tired of.

A couple fo findings in the house had surprised Spike. A few rare and incredibly valuable paintings had been found under the old cloths, including a Degas and A Monet. If he wouldn’t have known better, he would have said the voluptuous beauty in the Degas had been Isabelle. The similarities between the picture and his former love were remarkable.

In some way because of the painting Spike now felt like the house was home. That this was where he was supposed to be. They had sent both paintings along with the others to be restored to glory. The Degas would be back by the time he and the children moved in. He’d already explicitly told Cordy that the Degas would hang above the fireplace in the master suite in a place of honor. The Money would hang in his daughter’s room, the comforting yet brilliant colors were perfect for a little girl’s room and would still be perfect as she grew into a woman.

In the cellar of the house Spike had unearthed a plethora of rare and vintage wine and champagne. He hoped that they had not turned to vinegar, but time would tell. In the attic he found many things that the children would enjoy. Old clothing, toys and a huge dollhouse made to look like its bigger counter part, their home. He again had told Cordelia his plans for the room. They would turn the room into the family room, a place where he could relax and watch the children play, somewhere where nothing was off limits for them. The attic had rewarded them with things for his son’s room including mint condition Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle baseball cards. They would preserve them and frame and would reside in his son’s room along with the antique toy soldiers and the die-cast train set.

The house was more than he could have dreamed. He had no trouble believing that Isabelle was here with them, and that she was responsible for all of it. The whole place now clean and filth free had a calming quality. People felt at peace in the house and on the grounds, content and free. The calm and peace were something that everyone felt from the jovial workmen to Cordelia, who since working her had not said one nasty thing to anyone. Even Spike could be found helping the laborers, laughing and having a good time.

What Spike didn’t know was that Willow had been watching from afar. She had made herself invisible so she could watch the goings on without interrupting anyone. The magic surrounding this place had surprised Willow at the magic surrounding this place. It was stronger than anything she’d ever felt next to her own. She felt love, joy, family, peace and overwhelming calm. There was also a darker force that protected this happiness, it was a woe to anyone who disturbed this sanctuary kind of feeling.

Willow had no doubt believing that The Powers were the ones behind this place. It wasn’t like them to go easy on anyone. For them to provide this kind of gift to Spike and his children was remarkable. Yet had they not provided most of them with remarkable gifts. Angel and Cordelia were having a child as well as Wesley and Fred, Xander was in his element teaching his Slayers, Files had unearthed an underground cavern of research books in the rubble of the Watcher’s Council. For Willow they had made it possible for her to be with Tara again, even if it was on the Astral Plane it was better than life without her. The only person who had not received a gift from the Powers in some form or another was Buffy. She still laid in her coma after almost a year. The Powers were denying Buffy her place in Heaven by this and Willow couldn’t help but wonder why they would do this. She wasn’t so much questioning their motives so much as wondering when they were all going to get a surprise or the final heart break.
Willow was so much in thought that she never felt the presence beside her until she heard a soft sigh. It made her jump which caused her focus to shift making her visible once again.

“It’s lovely here isn’t it. Even up here you can hear the waves, not roaring but like a fountain. Doesn’t the ocean smell wonderful, crisp and clean?” A woman young in appearance sat next to Willow, her waist length brown hair blowing in the breeze along with her white gown. She turned and looked at Willow a smile on her lips. The same smile lit up beautiful brown eyes that dance with gold and green in the light. Her eyes told her true age making her about five years older than Willow. Her figure reminded her of Tara only more lush.

It surprised Willow that for a ghost she was remarkably serene, there was a small undercurrent of sadness, but nothing overwhelming, neither was there a sense of unfinished business. With Willow’s travel on the Astral Plane she had come across a lot of unsettled or violent spirits. However, this one was like Tara which made Willow wonder why she was here and not in Heaven. The spirit also seemed familiar in some way, as if she had seen her face before.

“I’m sorry, I’m being rude. I should have introduced myself. My name is Isabelle, I believe you know my children.” She turned again and smiled at Willow who sat dumbfounded, her mouth wide open.

“You’ll let bugs in if your mouth stays open any longer.” Isabelle said laughing at the young witch beside her.

“But how?” They were the only words that Willow could manage.

“I raised such a fuss I don’t think they had a choice, not that I left them with one.” Isabelle stared out over the view looking at the house and also for the man she’d never stop loving.

“Why?” Willow looked at Isabelle shock still evident on her face.


“Wouldn’t you do everything you could do to make sure your loved ones are safe and happy, anything to make sure that they don’t hurt any longer?” At Willow’s nod Isabelle continued, knowing that even for such a young woman as Willow it would not be hard to understand.

“To answer your next question I’m not a witch, or an Angel. I’ve had visions off and on my entire life much like your friend Cordelia. Those visions along with being aware of the demon world led me to William and the rest of my life. Now I sit beside you a normal woman at least as much as I can be. What powers they gave me in Heaven I used to create this place for my family, a sanctuary where they would always be protected.” Isabelle watched as Spike walked across the lawn with the contractor. They were pointing at blueprints then the house, talking and laughing in the warm sunshine.

“I’m glad to see him to happy again. It’s been so long since he felt any true joy.” Isabelle had wrapped her arms around her knees and Willow felt two things coming from her now that hadn’t been there before in this intensity they were sorrow and immense love. Isabelle’s actions had heard looking from her to Spike and back again.

“He is different now, I don’t think I’ve ever really seen his this happy. Things have changed for him. Spike loves being a father, for him the world revolves around Adrian and Alyssa.” Willow put her arm around the woman and held her as she cried.

“I love him, I always will. This is my payment to the Powers for the magic they gave me to create this place. My punishment is to watch my family happy without me. I will forever be on the outside looking in. If I ever cross the line and try to contact them I will slowly fade away until there is nothing left.” Isabelle dried her eyes on her sleeve.

“Wow, that sounds a little harsh even for them.” Willow said her arms still wrapped around the person that in just a few moments had become her friend.

“Yeah, I told you raised a ruckus there. I don’t think I made too many friends. I think they did it just to shut me up more than anything. Of course I did start in the moment I got there so I really can’t blame them.” Willow watched as Isabelle righted herself. The calmness of their surroundings even taking their effect on the person who brought them forth.

Willow didn’t know what to say and maybe it was better that things went unsaid. She sat beside the new friend she had made and offered her quiet support. With the Powers so closely involved in this one she knew she could not interfere. She would try to be there for Isabelle and that was all she could do, it was the same with Buffy. She had to sit aside and watch her friends suffer in one form or another.
“Don’t tell them about this please. They told me that I could come to you and no other. I don’t want William to do something stupid if he were to find out, trouble finds him enough without him going to look for it. The children need him as we see him now, not with anger and vengeance. I love them too much to put all of this in jeopardy just because I love them too much.” Isabelle stood up taking one last long look at Spike then turned around two small tears falling from her beautiful eyes.

“You have my word. Will I see you again?” Willow asked quietly understanding this woman more than she had any other except Tara.

“Next week, same time, same place.” Isabelle walked toward the trees fading from sight.

****

The house was coming along wonderfully, better than Spike had even imagined. If things kept progressing, it was possible they could be in the house a few weeks earlier than what they had planned. The outside would be finished next week. It had taken them almost a week to get the yard cut back and in shape. Flowers bloomed from beds lining the walk, the back yard had been turned into the perfect Victorian English garden, beyond that lay the former carriage house that Cordelia had miraculously turned into a space just for Spike, a place to study when he decided to go back to Stanford and a place for him to work out and to later train the children.

He along with Giles had decided that this would be a haven for the Slayers. If they ever needed somewhere to go to recuperate. Spike figured that the least he could do was to share this place of peace with his family and the Slayers. Maybe Buffy wouldn’t have run away from being a Slayer if she would have had a place to go.

The one thing that would not be finished was the addition to the house. Spike had decided at the last moment to add an indoor pool area. The children loved to swim and putting in a pool was easier than worrying about them wondering down to the beach. He had gone over the plans with the contractor showing him pictures from Holland Manners former home with one exception the roof would open to the stars at night. He had gotten to love swimming at night under the moon and this way he and the children could have the best of both worlds. It would take four months to complete due to Spike specific instructions, but it would be worth the wait.

The barn further out on the property would be cleaned out and used for Spike’s vehicles. Cordelia had complained about the distance from the barn to the house so Spike just to appease her added a drive to the plans, the drive would be covered by an arbor of wisteria, roses and creeping jasmine. Cordy had conceded victory when she heard the details. The woods behind the barn would stay just how they were, Spike had no wish to tear down something that was providing them with cover, he liked the feeling of being isolated without being far away from town.

The little town in which they would reside was a ten minute drive away. It was a picturesque costal town full of a Victorian charm all its own. It was aptly named Tranquility and Spike knew that Alyssa and Adrian would like it. The small town atmosphere reminded him of Sunnydale. Spike would personally make sure that it was vamp and demon free. Soon every monovalent demon on the west coast would know to stay away if they had a brain in their heads. Spike didn’t care about the demons that did no harm and had even placed a call to Clem to see if the demon would like to come for a visit. He had plans to ask the demon to be the nanny to his children, to protect them if Spike wasn’t with them. Spike hoped that he would say yes, he would feel much more comfortable having someone with them that he trusted and he trusted Clem with not only his life but his children’s.

Tomorrow the exterior painters would be there to paint the house white and trimming in dark green. He should technically be here to oversee things but he had promised the children a trip to Disneyland with him and Dawn and who knew how many various family members would decide to go along for the day of fun. He was hoping to get some alone time with Dawn to discuss a matter that was important not only to him but to the family. Yes, it was time to fully discuss Buffy and her future. He was ready to discuss all the options now and a few months ago he wouldn’t have been ready. But being here in this house made him see differently, made him wish for the same peace for Buffy that he had found for himself.

As the sun started setting in the sky he wished the workmen a good night then grabbed a couple cold beers from a stocked cooler and made his way down to the beach, the beer and his notebook tucked under his arm. The path leading down to the beach had just been finished yesterday so that new wooden steps and platforms led to the enclosed private beach. At the end of the stairs Spike bent and took off his shoes. In the past month he had grown to appreciate the feeling of the warm sand.

Jutting out into their small bay was a copse of rocks worn smooth over the years. Even in high tide a person could walk them safely without having to worry about being carried out to see. To the end of these rocks is where Spike went every night before returning to Los Angeles and the children. This was his spot to ponder his life. Sitting down he dangled his feet over the edge and into the tidal waters that on this night lapped at the rocks instead of pounding in fury. A light breeze blew against his face as he laid back and watched the sky turned a riotous explosion of color. Sunrises were wonderful, but sunsets for Spike were something to behold.

After sitting for a few moments with just the ocean surrounding him, giving him the energy and the strength he needed to delve into the places of his heart that few if any ever saw. These places were for Buffy and like always his journal was where he talked to her.


The house will be done soon love. This month has been so filled with work and making sure everything is being done properly on the house. I’m hoping that my talk with Dawn will let us put things behind us where it belongs. My relationship with her has not been the same since the night she kicked me out of the house and had Willow work the mojo to keep me locked out.

I’ve come to a point in all of this where I know a decision has to be made about your happiness and what is going to be best for you in the grand scheme of things. Maybe the best thing to do is to let you go peacefully. I can now look at things rationally and do wonder if you would want to live your life this way. Would you really want to live knowing the only thing keeping you alive is a bunch of beeping monitors, or would you want your family and friends to decide your fate.

I don’t know Buffy, I wish I had all the answers. I don’t. But I do know that I can’t want you alive because of my own selfishness. I have to think of you and what is best for you. Maybe letting you go peacefully will be the best thing. At least I know that you will be in Heaven again where you were safe and warm.

I’ll never forget the times you talked to me about Heaven and how wonderful it was there. It was nice to hear how it was knowing that I would never to be able to see it for myself. Heaven has a way of keeping the place demon free. I know how long you have wanted to go back there and it makes me wonder if it was the First that drove you off the cliff or yourself.

The whole family knows how hard it was on you being ripped away from Heaven and though none of us have said it, I know we have all wondered from time to time that you threw yourself into the Hellmouth to try to get back there by any means necessary. I wish that I would have been able to get to you sooner, have gotten to you before you got to that damnable place, even non corporeal maybe I would have been able to stop you. The least I can do now is to let you finally have the peace that you have been craving since you were called to be a Slayer.

I have loved five women in my life Buffy, my mother, Cecily, Drusilla, my darling Isabelle and you, and with every loss I have found myself stronger for having loved them and then lost them than to have never loved any of you at all. Mother, gave me my life. Cecily, gave me my freedom. Drusilla, delivered me from mediocrity and helped to create the man I am now. My darling Isabelle, gave me the meaning of love and what it was to love someone and have them love you back, she also gave me the greatest treasure, Alyssa and Adrian. You Buffy, gave me strength, courage and the desire to be a true man, a man worthy of all that I have.

I love you Buffy, but I have learned that I’m strong enough now to let you go. But know this my love that I am trying my hardest to get to the point that maybe someday they will let me into Heaven to be with you, despite my demons.

If Dawn agrees, Buffy, in two months time we are going to turn off your machines and see if you are ready to live and fight in this world, or if you are meant for the peace you deserve.

There will be two more entries for you in this journal, the last being after the machines have been removed. If you live I will save it for you, but if you slip away from us I will send it with you and hope that in some way you will be able to read these words in Heaven.

Yours eternally,
William
Month Eleven: Part One by aerialla
Author's Notes:
Since this chapter is running 20+ pages and is not complete yet I will be putting it up in sections to make for easier viewing and to give you a chance to read it sooner. Hope you like.
The house had been finished in record time and today Spike would be taking Alyssa and Adrian to their new home. They still didn’t know what was happening and Spike was glad. He couldn’t wait to show them their surprises.

Before the trip to Disneyland he had bought a camcorder along with a digital camera and now had almost obsessively been recorded all of their moments. Disneyland had been a blast for all of them, everyone but Cordelia had joined in the four days of revelry, including astonishing enough Angel. Cordelia had chosen to spend the days working with the decorator at the house. She had said that it gave her four days of free reign, and knowing her she got a lot done in those four days.

Spike honestly didn’t know what he would have done without Cordelia. The house would have been no where close to completion. Their shouting arguments over the silly things like paint colors had the work crew in tears of laughter. But through it all along the way of the past two months, the former Big Bad and the Homecoming Queen had become best friends, much to Angel’s chagrin. Spike had actually come to like the cheerleader’s forthcoming attitude and the ability to dish out the trash talk as well as receiving it.

Angel had been the first to witness the transformation from friends to fully formed best friends. One long day at the house Spike had decided that he was bored and wanted to paint the study in the forest green that he picked out, the same day Cordelia showed up ready to paint in the Taupe color she had picked. Both of them being stubborn asses they decided that they would start painting, thinking that one or the other would give up sooner or later. Later had went into afternoon, the shouting matches between the two rousing the workmen to come and watch at the open bay window, a cooler of beer and chairs to enjoy the show.

It hadn’t taken long for the paint to start flying, not only onto the walls but onto each other. Cordelia had started it by flicking paint onto Spike’s t-shirt clad chest which Cordy promptly received back in spades. The show had sky rocketed from there, until Angel walked in, and found his pregnant wife and his childe covered in paint. They had been in the grand finale of the row, paint was splattered from wall to ceiling, thankfully someone had covered up the woodwork and the floor before the showdown. Cordelia’s face was covered in green and brown paint, her hair a mass of streaks and clumps, Spike was drenched from head to toe, his hair spiked no pun intended with green paint. The walls were a mismatched of color, one brown wall looked like green paint had been thrown against it, the same for a green wall. Hand prints and various body prints were also evident and drying fast.

“What the hell’s going on?” Angel shouted above the noise as he watched as his wife and childe were now still hitting each other with paint, Cordelia holding a roller and Spike a brush. His concern was for the child that Cordy wasn’t beginning to show yet.

Spike and Cordy dropped their weapons and backed away from each other looking like guilty school children. Both trying hard not to laugh as they finally looked at each other and then around the room.. Angel was surprised when Cordy was the first one to bust into a fit of giggles followed by the almost child like sound of Spike’s. Angel just stared at the two of them and ran his fingers through his hair.
“We’re just doing a little redecorating, aren’t we luv?” Spike casually threw his arm around his friend, which caused Cordelia to lay her head on his shoulder as they turned and looked around the room, that looked like a deranged blind artist had attacked it.

“I’d say it looks pretty good? What do you think?” Cordelia turned and looked at her friend, the first one she could say she never had to bully or whine to get her way. It was quite liberating actually.

“I’d say it’s damn near perfect luv. We work pretty good as a team.” Spike sheepishly planted a kiss on her head much to Angel’s rage.

“We sure do blondie, or should I start calling you greenie?” Cordelia wrapped her arm around him and surveyed a room that while looked like a disaster still held a lot of promise and now with the right furniture the room would look rather modern.

“Would you two, kindly get your hands off each other? What the hell was in that paint?” Angel went over and pulled his wife out of the arms of his friend and into his, growling when he got still wet paint all over his silk shirt.

“You’re buying me a new shirt!” He growled at Spike who only grinned in reply.

“What can’t two friends paint a room and have a little fun in the process. Wait a minute I forgot, you Angelus don’t know how to have fun..” Spike took his paint brush still full of green paint and threw it at his sire then took off at a run when the brush his his sire in the face. He hadn’t stopped until he had reached the beach with a hot tempered Angel on his heels, diving into a breaking wave in an attempt to get away.

Angel had in turn held him under the water, forgetting that if Spike didn’t want to breathe he didn’t have to. This led to both men wrestling in the ocean waves as Cordy watched laughing from the beach and using the ocean to get rid of the worst of the paint from her skin. The three had ended up cleaning up back at the house Angel having to borrow a pair of overalls from a workman because his shirt shrank, then having a barbecue on the beach as the sun set into the Pacific. That day had changed the three of them in a great way, cementing Spike and Angel now as brothers instead of sire and child and Cordelia as Spike’s little sister and a best friend.

*****
At the Hyperion that evening Spike looked in on his sleeping children’s faces. They seemed to relish having separate rooms for the first time. Alyssa’s room was filled with all of the Princess paraphernalia that she had gotten at Disneyland while Adrian’s was decorated in comic book heros, his favorite of the moment being Wolverine from the X-men. Adrian said that Wolverine reminded him of Uncle Angel mean on the outside but soft on the inside like the cookies that Aunt Cordelia made them.

Angel had quietly crept away to brood after the cookie analogy. Spike knew why and so did Cordelia so they chose to leave him alone, knowing his pain at not being able to be there for Buffy when she had needed him. He also still felt guilty for not telling Buffy about Spike and believed that everything could have been prevented if he would have let go of his damnable pride. Maybe Buffy would have been saved, maybe not but Angel felt guilty for doing nothing instead of something. Spike had went to him once the children had been bathed and put to bed knowing that Angel needed reassurance from him probably more than Cordelia.

Spike had even been polite knocking on the door before entering Angel’s old suite. Char marks covered the wall from a fire of some sort and Angel sat in a fire singed chair and stared into space a glass of scotch in his hand.

“It’s not your fault. She may have done it anyway, even knowing I was still around. Might have thought that if that blasted hole in the ground brought me back that it might do the same for her, so get over it. Buffy did what she did because she was miserable, there was no fight left for her, she’d finished her mission and didn’t know how to live a normal life. It’s no one’s fault, not yours, not mine, not Willow’s for bringing her back in the first place, or Dawn’s for being created, it’s not even Buffy’s for giving up. We all do what we think we should, what we must in order to feel alive, or in order to finally find some peace. Buffy honestly thought that what she was doing was right.”

“She thought that diving off the edge was the solution to her problem, sorry I don’t buy it. She was lured there Spike. The First evil lured her there because it wasn’t going to be satisfied until it had her in it’s clutches. It wanted her dead Spike, and I’m still trying to find a way to destroy it once and for all. It’s my fault for not paying more attention to her when she was here. I was so caught up in dealing with the Senior Partners that I didn’t see the signs right in front of me.” Angel had hauled himself from the chair and began pacing, losing what little restraint he had left. With a violent howl he threw the glass against the wall, watching the liquid stain the wallpaper and the glass shatter throwing shards at Angel that left small cuts on his face from the ricochet. Not bothering to stop he started pacing the floor again, this time his fists clenched tightly enough that the bones in his knuckles cracked with the pressure.

“You didn’t hear her when I was behind her Angel, you were too close to the plane. She was out of her mind. I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t want them to know, didn’t want anyone else to hurt. Damn it Angel, she thought I was down there. She thought that by jumping she and I would be together. The First wasn’t there Angel, it might have been watching in some way, but it wasn’t calling to Buffy, why would it need to. Buffy was there to destroy herself, all it had to do was sit back and watch.” Spike stood his back pressed against the closed door. Emotions were hitting him hard, harder than he ever thought possible. Maybe he should have shared the things he knew sooner with everyone, maybe then they’d all be better now.

“But why would she do that, she had so much to live for, she would have had you if she would have just waited, hell another hour would have done it, then she wouldn’t be laying in that damned bed, not alive and not dead.” Angel was running his hands through his hair, wondering why someone such as Buffy could just throw life away after being given a second chance. Angel relished his second chance at life including the baby that him and Cordy would be having soon, he just couldn’t comprehend someone giving all of that up, especially when that someone was Buffy.
“Just wait here a minute and I’ll be back. Try not to destroy the room any more than necessary.” Spike didn’t bother waiting for a response instead slipped outside the door and down the two flights of stairs to his own room. In the closet he lifted out the small box. He’d found the contents when they were cleaning Alyssa’s room one morning a couple of months before. They had given Spike the bloody revelation that he had needed to finally continue his life. Buffy’s journals, the ones that she had kept since her calling at fifteen. He supposed it was Rupert that had gotten them out of Sunnydale. But it was three newer ones that would help Angel the most. They were the ones that Buffy had kept since she had come back from the dead taking out the three books he couldn’t help the flood of emotion they caused to his heart. Leaving the room he quietly slipped back into Angel’s dwelling. Spike didn’t know if he should be happy that Angel was no longer pacing and again sipping a glass of scotch or not.

“You need to read these, Dawn probably too along with Xander, Willow and Giles. They helped me and I think they will help everyone.” Spike set the books on the table next to Angel.

“For now, look at the last one, it’s the purple one. It’s was the most recent.” Spike sat in the chair next to Angel and waited as he opened the first one and began reading. He sat more than an hour while Angel turned page after page tears running down his cheeks and more than a few sobs catching in his muscular chest from time to time. The words written on those pages had registered the same emotions in Spike. Love, sadness and at times fury. When Angel was finished it didn’t surprise Spike that he went to throw the offending book across the room before thinking twice and placing it on top of the others.

Spike stood not sure whether Angel wanted him to stay or not. This was one instance that he didn’t want to wear out his welcome and Angel knew where he was if he wanted to talk or wanted to fight. Spike didn’t mind either and figured on the latter, knowing that if the rage wasn’t directed at Spike then it would just go someplace else until Cordy had enough and set Angel on the doorstep.

“You know where I’m at if you need me.” Spike walked toward the door.

“Want to meet me on the top floor in about ten minutes. I’m going to send Cordy home and I’ll be up.” Angel looked up at Spike his eyes were so dark with emotion that they were almost black.

“Yeah, see you in ten.” Spike walked out not bothering to close the door and went to see his children. He didn’t know what would have happened to him if they hadn’t come along when they did. If he’d found those journals before they came along chances are that he’d be out there every night begging for anything to take the pain in his heart and soul away.

Looking in on their lovely faces in the moonlight he felt the pain ebb away until there was nothing left in his heart except the love he had for them and for the rest of his rag tag family. They were his soul in the purest form possible and Spike would personally take apart heaven and hell if anything ever happened to them, he would leave a trail of death and carnage so wide that it would make Angelus look like a fluffy puppy.

As quiet as a mouse he walked to his daughter’s bedside, smoothing the hair out of her face he bent and kissed her brow, his heart swelling with her proclamation from her sleep.

“Love you daddy.” Those three simple words had a tear slipping from his eyes and into his daughter’s hair. Tucking the covers around her he kissed her brow yet again and left the room leaving her bedroom door open just a crack.

Into his son’s room as quietly as before, he moved a stuffed bear from his son’s grasp and onto the chair beside the bed. There was no proclamation from his son when he kissed his brow, but something just as precious when his sleepy son raised up and kissed him on his cheek before falling back to sleep.

This was a nightly ritual for them and for Spike every night felt like the first. He knew he could get through anything during the day that life threw at him as long as he could spend these precious few moments with his children at night. They gave him the strength to see the days through, they took the pain away and made everything new again.

At his son’s door he said a silent prayer into the night, knowing somehow that it would be heard.

“Keep our children safe Isabelle.”

Spike went into his room across the hall and shed his clothes quickly throwing on and old pair of jeans and a t-shirt along with a pair of steel toed boots. He had stopped wearing the offending boots in fear of stepping on one of the children and had opted for wearing tennis shoes so that he could keep up with their daily activity.

Stopping in front of the dresser mirror Spike took a long hard look at himself. Seeing himself in his old duds made him fully realize how much he had changed in the past year. No longer was his hair slicked back and bleach blonde, instead it was just a little longer and his natural dark brown with just a hint of curl. The frameless glasses he now wore made him look more like Wesley’s twin than someone who had cut a bloody swath through Europe. Regular blue jeans replace the black staple he hadn’t been able to live without since the early 80's, and now he’d been known on occasion to wear a brightly colored polo shirt instead of his usual t-shirt and casual button down shirts.

He now looked like a college professor, which was his next surprise for the gang. Spike had heard that the community college near the house in Tranquility was looking for someone to take over a Paranormal Psychology class and also a European History Class. With a little help from Fred and Wesley, the only two who knew of his plan, Spike was able to get some papers forged and one altered. His degree from Eaton all those years ago would now be paying off in a few short weeks when the new term started. Who knew he might decide to start taking some classes again as well as teaching.

Spike turned off his bedroom light and made his way through the hotel and up to the desolated and destroyed top floor. He would really like to know what happened here. He knew Angel was already here by scent and then by sight. The sight was a clenched fist slamming into his jaw from the shadows.

“Thought I always told you to watch your back William, never know what’s going to be there.” Angel had slipped into his Irish brogue with no effort. The voice reminded Spike so much of Angelus that a involuntary shiver went down his back.

“I didn’t think you were going to jack me in the jaw you wanker. Sides, who else would be up here besides you anyway. Though I always hoped that you would start to show a little more taste and at least fix the place up for a decent sparring, instead of wondering if one wrong footfall will send us both a floor below.” Spike went to grab at the shadow only to miss by inches. His miscalculation cost him a blow to his kidneys.

“You know William, you used to be better at this. Maybe being a father has made you soft. Giving up the fight is a good thing, especially since you can’t hack it anymore.” Angel threw another fist at Spike’s face his rage burning a hole through him and directed at the man in front of him.

“Still am better than you, you tosser.” Spike sent a blow to Angel’s nose, which left Angel’s nose broken and bloody.

“And don’t you dare bring my kids into this.” Spike knew the comments were coming from a part of Angel that housed Angelus, unlike some Spike was not naive enough to believe that the two were completely different. Angelus was just as much a part of Angel as William was for him. Right now both of them were pissing Spike off. It was one thing to come up here and fight, but Angel was making this damn personal and it was up to Spike to put and end to it.

With a growl Spike launched himself at Angel tackling the older man at the waist and driving him back to the floor. With a solid punch to the gut Spike rolled off and up planting a solid kick into Angel’s ribs.

“Say whatever you want about me, but you leave my children out of it. I won’t play Angelus’ mind games with you, not out of anger and not when others are involved. You’re pissed, yeah I get it. You wonder why she did it, well don’t we all. You wonder if she’ll ever be the same, it’s what I pray for every day of my life. You think you didn’t save her, well news flash, I was there and still didn’t get her in time. You want to talk pain and regret, then please take my burden for one day. The pain of knowing that I was seconds late. The burden of knowing that I am alive and relatively happy while she lays there day after day. Knowing that even though I love her more than I’ve ever loved any woman and know that it’s not enough. Take the days when I want to sit by her side and do nothing but hold her hand and talk to her, but for some insane reason, I am being locked out of her life. Try living with the wonder of what I did so wrong in loving her, why am I being punished, why I cannot spend just a little time with her every day. I’ve done my time, got on with my life and still it’s not good enough. I’m tired of all of it. If Dawn wants to be a bitch, then it’s her head, not mine. I’ve done everything they’ve asked, jumped through every hoop, but am I allowed to see her, No.” Spike was lashing into Angel like there was no tomorrow. He didn’t stop until he was physically and mentally exhausted.

It was then that the realization dawned on Spike. The whole time this had not been about Angel getting his anger out, it had been about Spike getting his out. Angel had turned it around on him, knowing some how the anger that had built up inside. He had to give Peaches credit, he was smarter than he looked. Spike slid down the wall he had been leaning against bone weary and truly tired. He rested his arms against his legs and wished he hadn’t given up smoking because of Alyssa and Adrian.

“Yesterday morning at the house as the sun was rising over the water I said goodbye to her Angel. No matter what I do they won’t let me see her. Why won’t they let me see her? Why did they shut me out?” Spike hung his head too tired to even cry. He was tired of the merry-go-round of emotions, tired of fighting everyone about Buffy. Maybe they did know best.

Angel sat on the floor next to his brother in all the ways that mattered. When he had read the journals he hadn’t just cried for Buffy, he had been crying for Spike too. To have gone through this alone, to feel that no one was on your side and still to fight every day was exceptional. He didn’t blame Buffy for her actions, hell once or even a dozen times he had sat and watched the sunrise hoping that it was the day that he would have enough courage to let the sun take him, every day he had been a chicken. Spike had not, Spike had looked death square in the eye and met it head on to save the people he cared about. He had made it through by sheer will, never once letting the other’s really see what was going on inside, that he fought every day to stay by there sides. It wasn’t the fear of dying that Spike had been fighting, it had been the fear of living, because he still felt that he wasn’t good enough for any of it.

Angel took a handkerchief out of his pocket, something he had started carrying since Cordelia had been going through wild mood swings with her pregnancy. He dabbed at the congealing blood on his face, wincing at the tender spots. Willow had given them the power to never die no matter what, but they still healed as slowly as they always did in some ways.

“For what it’s worth, I’m sorry. You’ve never said a word to any of us about what happened, you let us all assume it was the First pulling the strings, when it had been Buffy all along.” Angel put the square of linen back in his pocket hoping Cordy wouldn’t need it later.

“There was a time a few years ago that was pretty bad. Buffy got stuck by a Glarghk Guhl Kashma'nik, seems it had her thinking that she was in some mental institution. Then come to find out she had been in one back when she was first called, her bloody parents had put her there because she was scared and started talking about vampires and demons. Was there for a couple of weeks. It did something to her, closed her off so that she was afraid to tell people what she was really feeling. She kept it all inside until it was too much for her to bear.” Spike’s hands were itching for a cigarette.

Angel pulled a crumpled pack from his pocket and tossed them along with a lighter to Spike who gave him a surprised look.

“What, I thought you might need them. Cordelia found them one day buried in a filing cabinet.”

Spike shook one out and lit it up relishing the feeling of the nicotine hitting his lungs and he dragged deep. He hadn’t had a fag in months and he was damn sure going to make this last.

“So what happened to her.” Angel had never known about Buffy’s stint in a mental hospital, but in some way he didn’t surprise him considering the fear she had to have felt when she was first called.

“Well according to Buffy the first time she just quit talking about it, felt that by not talking about it, it would go away. Kind of did, they let her go home. Subject came up again later when Buffy told her mum about the vampires. That was when you were after her blood. This last time I don’t think she fully recovered in some ways. She went through hell when she came back from heaven. Never was the same after wards, things started with us because she said I made her feel. That was it, I made her feel. Those two years back for her where as probably as bad as the century you spent in Acathla’s hell dimension.” Spike saw Angel shudder, knowing he had gotten his point across at how hard it had been for Buffy.

“This last time though, she really didn’t believe that any of us were alive, said we weren’t real that we were all figments of her imagination or some rot. Tied Willow, and Xander up in the basement, pushed Tara down the stairs and was ready to kill Dawn when she suddenly snapped out of it enough for Willow to make up a second batch of antidote considering the first one she dumped in the trash.” Spike finished the first fag and moved onto the second, not sure when he would be able to smoke again figured he might as well take one for the road.

“What do you think we should do?” Angel asked Spike feeling he already knew what Spike was going to say. Angel didn’t like it, but what could they do, if Buffy didn’t want to live anymore, then maybe this would be the only peace they could give her.

“Give her one more month to get herself out. If she hasn’t come out in a year Angel, chances are she never will. Yeah who knows we could keep her on it for years and she could come out of it, but what kind of life is that for her. Take the machines off and see if subconsciously she fights to live. If she does then we’ll know that she wants us to keep trying, if she doesn’t then we’ll know to let her go.” Spike ground the second cigarette out and handed the pack back to Angel knowing that Angel would put them up for him in case he ever needed one again soon.

“I’ll let Dawn know and call a family meeting together. Ultimately we have no say and you know that. Dawn is her only living relative and has final say on everything. I only hope she’ll do what’s best for Buffy.” Angel slowly stood and offered Spike a hand up with Spike gratefully took not knowing if he would have the strength on his own.

“Once this last month is over Angel I’m done. The kids and I are just about finished packing for the house, tomorrow we’ll leave as soon as the rest is done. They’ll start school soon and need to be settled before then. You and Cordelia along with Fred, Wesley, Gunn and Connor are welcome at anytime. The rest of them I don’t know, we were never close not as close as the people in this hotel. You guys are my family and I want to keep it that way, besides the kids wouldn’t know what to do without the lot of you. Thanksgiving will be at my place this year yeah, maybe Christmas too if all of you want to come. It would be nice to have normal family holidays for a change. Apart from that I’m not fighting, not for you, not for her and not for the bloody Powers That Be. My children are going to try to grow up a bloody all American family. It’s the least I can do for them., it’s what their mother would have wanted, hell it’s what I want for them. Granted it will never be entirely normal what with a vampire human hybrid father, and an uncle who’s the same, an Aunt who gets visions plus a nanny who while wonderful has floppy skin and a taste for kittens.”

“You ask Clem to take care of the children?” Angel wasn’t as much shocked as surprised.

“Yeah, he’s ecstatic. Nice place to live with people who won’t try to kill him because he’s different and too nice to fight. I have a job teaching a couple of college classes so Clem will be with them when I’m at the university.” Spike looked at Angel with gratitude at everything he had done and had tried to do for him. He had needed to get some of the rage inside of him out. Now he had and he felt like a weight had been lifted from his chest.

“Wait a minute, your teaching a class. Since when were you qualified to do that?” Angel stared at him stunned, he had known Spike for almost one hundred and thirty years and had never heard of any higher education in his background.

“Since graduating Eaton at the top of my class four months and nine days before Dru turned me. I have a doctorate in English and History, told you I was a ponce back then. It never took someone as long to earn a degree back then, you didn’t have to take all the bloody useless crap that kids do now. We studied are field and that was it. I had it in my mind to be like my cousin “the wicked lord” and write poetry and travel.”

“You mean that Lord Byron was your cousin, why didn’t you ever tell me any of this.” Angel was still shell shocked that there could be so much about Spike he didn’t know.

“Yeah like I wanted you tracking down the remaining members of my family.”

“So you’re family was a member of the aristocracy. Here all along I thought you were some vagrant that Dru attached herself too. How did you come to be in that alley anyway?”
Angel and Spike were moving through the top floor toward the exit, chit chatting as if the fore, mentioned fight had never happened. It was nice for both of them to not be at odds with each other any more, except for the casual tiff.

“Yeah more or less, my mum was at any rate. Father owned a shipping business and traveled a lot so I grew up the apple of my mother’s eye and tied to her apron strings. She was the only member of my family that I turned and I only did that because she was dying of consumption, dusted her right after because I couldn’t bear to see what she had become.” This did stop Angel in his tracks, now he regretted killing his family especially in the way he had, but for William as a fledgling to feel remorse at turning his mother was something that left Angel stunned.

This new revelation for Angel into what make Spike and William tick through him for a loop. It made what the Judge had to say years ago ring true. Spike had kept his humanity, even with the demon living and breathing inside of him, he had been more human that what Angel had been when Angel was alive. It made Angel wonder if it was for Spike that the Shanshu prophecy had been written for all those years ago.

Angel and Spike stopped at Spike’s door and said goodnights. Spike watched as Angel sheepishly check the sleeping forms of his niece and nephew before hurrying down to the hall and to tell Cordy the gossip he had just learned up. Spike knew that Angel would be disappointed to learn that his wife already knew the juicy details. Spike threw his clothes off and jumped into the shower thankful for the hot water to ease away the tension and bruised muscles. Another new item for his look was a pair of silk boxer shorts that he threw on after his shower. This was the hardest change of all after getting used to going commando for over a hundred years.

Tomorrow was going to be a big and long day for them. Spike had already packed up his room and the kid’s would be taken care of tomorrow. Some things would be left here for whenever they wanted to visit, others would be taken to Angel and Cordelia’s for the times that the children were there. Spike only had a few hours now until he needed to be up and about by the time Alyssa and Adrian got up. Luckily his internal vamp clock still told him every time that the sun set and rose, it had become really handy lately when the children kept trying to get up earlier and earlier in order to surprise him in bed. Maybe he would let them do that this time. Turning off his bed side lamp, he crawled in bed and fell asleep for the first time not plagued by dreams of jumping women crying out for him to save them.
Month Eleven: Part Two by aerialla
Author's Notes:
Part Two of Month Eleven.
*****
“Daddy! daddy! Wake up!” Shrieks filled his ears and the springs heaved underneath him as two little devils threatened to either break the bed, make him seasick, or pummel him to death, there was a possibility of all three.

Spike laid as still as death, not moving until his children stopped and both sat on his chest. He stopped breathing and slowed his heart to a point where it could only be heard with a stethoscope. Spike knew that they were looking at him, trying to get any reaction from him at all.

“Daddy playing dead.” Adrian said to his sister not fooled by his father. He had seen his father breathing when they had come into the room.

“Daddy. Daddy. Wake up.” His precious daughter thought herself so smart when she bent to his ear and whispered into it.

Spike waited until the count of ten then in a flash caught both of his children in his arms as they squealed in surprise. Laughing when he started tickling both of them until they could barely breathe.

“Monsters, both of you. The one day daddy decides to sleep in you have to jump on him until he feels like jello.” For emphasis Spike lifted them both up in his arms and pounced down on the bed, jarring them and making them laugh even more.

“If all of you are ready, there’s pancakes and eggs in the kitchen.” Fred stood in the doorway her petite frame already slightly showing her pregnant state. She looked beautiful this morning with her hair down and a flowing summer dress on. Spike had never seen her look as beautiful as she did with the morning sun hitting her and making her glow even more if that was possible.

Wesley came up behind his wife putting his arms around her and kissing the top of her head while gently rubbing her stomach. He had been doing this a lot lately, ever since Fred had told him she was pregnant in fact.

When Fred had first told him she was pregnant all he had done was stare at her and that was before the “Oh dear” past his lips. He had never planned on being a father after the mess his own father made with him. But now seeing Spike so enraptured with his own children Wesley knew he could put the past behind him and be the kind of father to his child that his father had never been for him, loving and supportive.

“Why don’t you two come with Auntie Fred and I while your father gets dressed. You have a big day ahead of you and you are going to need all the strength you can get, so is your father.” Wesley bent down on one knee and was overjoyed when two remarkable scamps plowed into him almost knocking him on his rear. Lifting them both up into his arms he smiled at Fred and left with two giggling imps.

“He’s going to make a good da.” Spike was proud of how far Wesley had come in opening up to all of them and how quickly he had adjusted not only to Alyssa and Adrian, but to the knowledge that he was going to be a father.

“It’s good to see him with the children, after the whole Connor fiasco I don’t think he ever looked at a little boy without it affecting him. He still feels bad for all of it even though Angel has forgiven him. I don’t know if Wesley will fully ever forgive himself for what he did, even though at the time he felt he was doing the right thing.” Fred walked into the room, not caring that Spike was still basically undressed and bent to grab a packed box off the floor.

“Give me that, you know you shouldn’t be carrying anything.” Spike grabbed the box from her hands, grateful for that one morning of his life he wasn’t being plagued with morning wood. He didn’t know if he could handle Fred seeing him in that situation. He always looked at her as if she was so pure and good, even though the girl knew what too much for her own good, and even though he had seen her naked in the shower.

“Oh, please I’m pregnant, I am not infirm. That box can’t weigh more than five pounds at the most, I carry more than that when Adrian wants to be held.” Fred yanked the box back out of his hands and walked out of the room despite Spike’s further sounds of protest.

Spike threw on a clean pair of jeans and a plain white t-shirt then dumped his dirty clothes from the day before in a laundry basket to be done later at the house. Grabbing a couple of boxes, he headed down the stairs with them. Luckily they didn’t have much to move or the stairs would have become an obstacle. Planted the boxes beside the ones already stacked from the children’s rooms beside the front door Spike made his way into the kitchen for breakfast with his children.

The children were sitting at the table in the industrial kitchen the plates and mouth’s full. Alyssa was still trying to talk through her food. Chatting to Fred who turned more pancakes on the griddle. Angel and Cordelia walked in through the back door chatting with Willow, Dawn and Connor. It was all that Spike could do not to growl at Willow and Dawn. Instead he helped himself to a plate full of food and sat beside his children.

“Aly, please don’t talk with your mouth full.” He gently reminded his daughter moving her glass of milk away from the table edge.

Alyssa looked at her father and said okay, her mouth still full of food. Adrian didn’t pay any attention to either one, he was too busy moving from the table and running toward Angel at full throttle. It never failed to amaze Spike at how much his children loved Angel. He just hoped their outlook on him wouldn’t change when they later in life found out about both his and Angel’s sordid past. Angel much to Adrian’s delight scooped him up in his arms, sticky mess and all.

“Angel the boy needs to eat his breakfast. We have a big day ahead of us and the sooner we get finished here, the sooner we can be on our way.” Spike having lost his appetite since Dawn and Willow had walked in the room dumped the rest of his breakfast in the garbage and left the room. They couldn’t get to the house quick enough for him today.

He knew that one or the other was following him but he didn’t bother to acknowledge them, just went back up the stairs and into Alyssa’s room. Stripping the bed he began folding the bedding and putting it in a box. Even when she was standing at the door staring at him he didn’t stop, just kept working. Packing the few clothes that remained and boxing up the remaining toys. Once the room was bare he stacked the boxes and made toward the door, daring the chit not to move. In the mood he was in he would just as soon plow over her as ask her to move.

“We need to talk Spike?” Dawn voice said flatly in the hall as she moved aside to let him out.

Spike didn’t acknowledge her just lugged the boxes down the stairs to the front door. Before turning around and going back up. He made the same quick work with his son’s room and again had the door blocked by Dawn.

“You can’t keep avoiding me, sooner or later we need to make peace and I’m not going to stop until we have.” Dawn trailed after him this time instead of being left behind.

At the bottom of the stairs he unloaded and turned, only this time to have Dawn fully blocking his path and not moving out of the way.

“I’m not moving until you talk to me, your being childish.” Dawn’s voice was getting shrill and loud now which was starting to attract attention from the kitchen.

Angel was the first one to step through the door followed by Cordelia, Wesley and Connor. They all stood back not knowing what to say. Angel went to step in but Cordelia held him back.

“You can’t keep running away every time that things get rough. When are you going to learn to stand up and start facing the reality of things. What are you teaching those kids by doing this?.” Dawn was almost shouting, her hands clenched in frustration at her sides.

“You either let me past or I will physically move you.” Spike growled his fists clenched at his sides. He wouldn’t hit her, but he damn well would move her if he had too.

Out of the corner of his eyes he saw Connor start toward them only to be held back by both Cordelia and Angel. The boy did not want to get involved in this. Spike had just enough rage left in him to do damage that he may or may not regret later.

“I’m not moving until we finish this.” Dawn stood her ground even rising up a step to look down upon him.

Spike not wanting to have any kind of fight with the children so near did the only thing he could do to get away from her, he turned around and went up the other stairs, leaving her yelling in frustration behind him. There was no winner in this type of fight except for the person who walked away and Spike intended to be that person.

Gunn was coming from his room as Spike rounded the corner, which was perfect for Spike and meant that he could be out of here even sooner than he expected, even though now wouldn’t even be soon enough.

“Hey Charlie, that truck of yours still running all right?” Spike stopped only for a second not knowing whether Dawn was on his heels or not.

“Yeah, she running all right, why?” Gunn knew he was being conned into something, and he had his feelings as to what.

“We’re leaving today and I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind helping. There’s some boxes that I can’t fit in my SUV and I was wondering if you’d haul them for me. I’d make it worth your while.” Spike looked over his shoulder and toward the stairs, hearing Dawn’s footfalls on them.

“What do you have in mind? Man you know I hate moving.” Charlie hadn’t even had breakfast yet and he was already getting roped into things.

“Know of a little robot man that you’ve had your eye on for a while now. Well I just happen to know where it is, could give you the info if you help.” Spike knew just where to hint for Charlie to take the bait.

“All right man, just let me grab some grub and I’m yours.” Gunn’s stomach was starting to rumble and he could smell Fred’s pancakes all the way up here. That girl sure did know how to cook.

“Nah, man I’m getting ready to leave in a few minutes.” When Spike heard Gunn grumble he decided to sweeten the deal so that they could leave in fifteen minutes if they hurried.

“Angel and Connor are down there along with Wesley. Get stuff loaded now and I’ll even buy the damn thing for you.” Spike could hear Dawn’s footsteps in the hall and had to move quick.

“All right man, but this had better be worth it.” Gunn turned and walked away grumbling about being friends with him and whining about his missed breakfast.

Spike had just rounded a corner when he heard Dawn take off at a run to catch up to him. Grabbing him by the arm she pulled him around to face her. Spike’s angry eyes flashed gold and the ridges on his forehead formed and his teeth elongated. Now they were far enough away from the children that if it was a fight that Dawn wanted then Spike would give it to her.

“How dare you walk away from me?” Her eyes flashed icy at him, full of anger.

“If you don’t mind I have things to do before I leave.” Spike turned around again only to be grabbed yet again.

“Yeah that’s right things get bad and Spike leaves. What happens next Spike things get hard being a father and you walk away from them too. You did it to me, you did it to Buffy, when are you going to leave them behind.” Dawn was almost wild with anger.

“I’m leaving to give my children a better life away from all of this. Away from things they don’t understand. There are things that you don’t understand, things that you will never understand. You locked me out, do you remember? Or are you so self righteous that you forget that? And just for your information little girl, just because your father abandoned you doesn’t mean that I am going to abandon my children.” Spike’s demon was howling to slash and bash due to the anger built up inside.

“What about Buffy? Don’t you care about her? You’re off every day doing who know’s what while Fred and Wesley watch your children. You’re off having fun and living life while my sister lays there never moving, and barely breathing on her own. Yet now Spike is off to have a grand adventure.”

“I do not, nor will I answer to you. You chose not to be a part of my life when you locked me out, or do you conviently forget that part. And that’s right Dawn, I’m out living life. It’s what you wanted me to do right? Or was it you just wanted to play the puppet master and see how long you could pull my strings. Well sorry for you luv but you don’t have my by the short and curlies. What I do now with my life and my children is no one’s business but my own.” Spike turned and tried to walk away but Dawn grabbed him by the arm yet again digging her nails into his forearms almost hard enough to bring the blood.

“You seem to forget something, Spike, I do own you. Or do you seem to forget that it’s my sister that’s on life support. I can pull the plug on her and there’s nothing you can do about it.” Dawn’s eyes were getting dark with rage and even Spike wondered now what was going on with her. The girl had been abandoned so many times in her life that it was making her insane.

“That’s enough Dawn!” Angel was behind both of them and pulled her hand off Spike’s arm. Neither one of them had heard him come up behind them.

“Spike go finish your packing Fred and Cordelia are getting the kids ready. If you hurry we can leave in fifteen minutes.” Angel took a hold of Dawn’s arm and pulled her back and away from Spike.

Spike left Dawn in Angel’s hands and went the back way toward his room. He would not be happy until tonight when they were finally home. The thoughts of seeing the children running through the house had his mind so fogged that he didn’t see Willow sitting on his bed when he walked into the room.

He began throwing his few things haphazardly into boxes not taking the care with his possessions like he did with Alyssa and Adrian’s. If things had been going different then he would have, but right now he wasn’t in the mood. Looking up and seeing Red on the edge of his bed made some of the anger come back.

“Get out before I throw you out. I’ve had enough today that I’m going to take from you bleeding women.” Spike went to yank the bedding off and almost sent Willow tumbling to the floor.

“I’m not here to argue with you. Dawn’s hurting and has her reasons. Mine are different. I think you’re doing the right thing. You’re doing something that I couldn’t do a few years ago. Spike, you’re getting on with your life and letting go, it’s what we all have had to do and some of us still need to do. I will tell you that I thought it would take you longer, but I’m glad it hasn’t. Your children are wonderful and you are doing the right thing for them. You are going to give them the normal life all of us have always wanted and have never been able to achieve.” Willow now standing was looking at him a smile on her face. She was fidgeting which she was always prone to do when she was nervous. Willow would always still be the same shy geeky girl inside no matter how much more of a Goddess she became.

It was hard for Willow not to mention Isabelle while talking to Spike. Her weekly meetings with the ghost had given her a lot to think about, so had watching Spike do everything to give Alyssa and Adrian the wonderful lives they would have. She wanted to tell Spike that Isabelle still loved him and looked after them, but she knew she couldn’t and it was eating her up inside. Though somehow she knew that Spike could feel Isabelle. It was the look he had when ever he look up to the cliff as if he could feel her there. Even though Willow wanted so much to tell him she would never betray Isabelle that way, not when it would mean the end to her entire existence. It would have to be enough that she would always look out for her family.

Spike just looked at her as Willow seemingly stared off into space like a proverbial cadet. She had a far away look in her eyes that said she wasn’t quite all here at the moment. Who knew maybe she was making contact with the other side, though it did unnerve Spike that she could so easily go into the ether while still being quite visible. Willow looked at him, snapping out of her stupor when she felt Spike’s eyes drilling into her brain.

“Sorry, was just thinking for a minute. I want you to know that if you need anything or anyone just ley me know. Kind of like that summer when I was able to get into everyone’s head, just think about it and me and I’ll hear.” Willow was fidgeting, not knowing whether Spike would believe her or not.

“Will do, but you know I don’t like the mind mojo. How about if I stick to a phone call?” Spike was starting to think differently about Red. Maybe they could start to build a new friendship later. Right now he still had some hard feelings that he had to get over first, but if she was willing to try then so was he.

“Would you let me help you pack? I would like to see the house from the inside for a change.” Willow started folding his sheets when Spike froze at her comment.

“Have you been spying on me Red?” Spike couldn’t help the growl that came out. He didn’t like the thought of people being able to gain access to the property without his permission.

“From the cliff above. I heard about the magic surrounding the place and wanted to take a look at it. I didn’t mean any harm and I stayed on the outside of the circle I swear.” Willow was still busy folding, hoping that somehow Spike wouldn’t get her to slip up and make her spill the beans about Isabelle.

“What do you mean by magic. Ran a test on the place myself and it came up clean.” Spike dropped the things he was holding haphazardly into a box, concern was etched on his face. Concern that if Willow got close then someone else could also, someone with enough power to blow to hell the sanctuary he was building.

“I thought you knew. There’s old magic around the whole area. Powerful, actually so powerful that it knocked me on my ass the first time I came upon it. Don’t worry the place is safe. Anything that’s thrown at it bounces back on the owner times a thousand. Even the smallest chant against the place would blow someone to smithereens. I think the Powers have something to do with it.” Willow knew as soon as the thought was out of her mouth that she had stepped in it, and big time. There was no way that Spike was going to let that comment go.

“What the hell do you mean that the Powers have something to do with it. I don’t want them messing around with my kids.” Anger rolled off Spike so much that it pushed at Willow making her shields come alive and making her skin tingle.

“I’m saying it could be not that it is. Spike this magic is even more powerful that anything I’ve come across and that includes when I went all evil. I couldn’t have busted through it then and I can’t now. The magic around the place is as old as time itself and just as powerful. Think about all the power that was harnessed to create Dawn and multiply that by a million and you might come close. No one will be able to get to you or the kids there, it’s impossible. I wouldn’t tell you this if it wasn’t true. I would never do anything to put your children in danger.” Willow looked at him open and honest using not one bit of magic to cover any of her thoughts up, if Spike wanted to he could look into her mind at that moment and see everything like a moving picture, even Isabelle staring down at the house. She was glad when Spike chose to believe her without delving into her mind. It meant that he was starting to believe her again. Willow was glad, she didn’t have many friends and the ones she did she didn’t like being at odds with.

“I believe you Red, but I want to have someone else take a look at it just for a second opinion. I know your all big with being a Goddess now, but I want everything double checked now that I know. I want you there when they do just so that they don’t try anything funny. You’d be able to pick up on that quicker than anyone.” Spike was getting to feel a little easier about the whole thing but he would not feel a hundred percent until he had seen the proof for himself.

Willow was fine with that and nodded her agreement. It was only right that Spike would want another opinion, she would too if it was her family that could be put in any kind of danger.

“Why don’t I make this job easier on the both of us.” With Spike’s nod Willow muttered a little incantation and with a wave of her hand everything was put neatly in boxes, including the things that had been tossed in before.

“By the way Spike about the other matter. I can hold them off for one hour, do what you have to do and say what you need to say. The barrier will be down for that long, any longer than that and Dawn will know. I will get you there. When the time ends you’ll be transported back here at the same moment you left no one the wiser. Just make sure to tell her that I love her and I miss her more than ever.” Willow waved her hand and said yet another incantation in Latin and Spike felt a tug at his solar plexus and then he was hurdled through space and time.

When Spike landed it was with a bone jarring impact into wet soggy ground. Spitting out a mouth full of grass he went aching to his feet a sprinkler drenching him with water.. Instantly he recognized his surroundings and pain forgotten he started to run. He was in the back yard of the estate, right inside the property line. He knew now what Willow meant.

Not caring about the mud on his clothes, face or shoes he ran opening the back door as he went. He left muddy prints and splatters along with open doors and tipped over furniture in his wake. Whatever consequences he incurred would be worth it a thousand times over.

Spike’s heart was pounding with exertion when he finally made it to her room, the same room she’d had when he left. The door was open and sunlight poured in and on her face making her ethereal with it’s glow.

Her long hair had been shorn, much like it had been the time she had disappeared except now it wasn’t chic just butchered, her face was a pale contrast to her face, the purple shadows never disappearing. Veins showed now prominently through her skin. Her nails were short and devoid of any polish to make them more feminine. There had been a time when Dawn or one of the other girls would come in and add a little make-up to her face to give her a little more color and life, evidently those days were long gone. Buffy’s lips were dry and cracked no one had thought to add even a little gloss to them.

To Spike she was the most glorious creature to ever come into existence and his heart leapt with joy at being near her again, even if it was only for a short amount of time. Sitting gently beside her, he took her hand in his kissing it tenderly and holding her palm against his face. Pain coursed through his body with such and intensity that he couldn’t even cry.

Laying his head on her chest as the emotions started to overwhelm him only to feel her strong heart beat in her chest. His own heaved and the pent up emotion that had been building over the past months exploded and a part of him knew that this could be the last time he saw her. This was his chance to say goodbye, the last time he would ever hold Buffy in his arms. For this time his journal would go silent and instead of saying the words to paper, he would be saying them to her. Maybe later he would put them down in the journal, or maybe he would leave them blank with the words better left spoken only once. The year was almost complete and in another month their would be no turning back for any of them.


“Willow told me to tell you that she loves you and that she misses you. I don’t know whose been in to talk to you or if anyone has. If I see Dawn again I’m liable to ring her bloody neck hopefully twisting it off in the process. It’s been so long since I’ve been here by your side but I don’t have much time so I’ll try to keep things to the basics. I found out a few months ago that I am a father to two twins, a boy and a girl. Their names are Adrian and Alyssa. I know that they would adore you. They have often asked who the pretty woman was in the picture I keep in my room at the Hyperion.

This afternoon we are leaving to start our lives the three of us, well four if you count Clem, he’s still around and going to be the children’s nanny. I’m going to try being a college professor for awhile. Maybe I’ll get lucky and run across those Initiative bastards so I can rip them from limp to limp. Soldier Boy I’ll leave alone since he did come through in a pinch when the chip went haywire.

The house is beautiful and you would love it, big with a huge yard. It’s near the ocean and you can hear the waves from every room. I would love for it to be our home, all of us together. Raise a family, maybe even have some children of our own. Lead normal lives with car pools and bloody PTA meetings. Go grocery shopping and for long walks on the beach and never have to worry about the monsters ever again.

We can’t have any of this Buffy if you won’t wake up. I want to give you everything you ever dreamed including the normal life, but you have to let me. You have to want this. I am not in your mind, or even in your dreams Buffy. I am right here beside you. I’m not stuck in the bloody Hellmouth, but right by your side where I promise to stay for the rest of our lives together. You have to wake up Buffy, for us, for the family we’ll have. For the life you’ve always wanted. Wake up Buffy and be with us, not because we want you here, but because you want to be here.”


Spike felt the same tug in his abdomen that he felt before and knew he only had seconds.

"Dammit Buffy wake up, live for yourself, live for us and for our children. WAKE UP BUFFY!” Spike shouted the words has he was pulled back to the Hyperion and away from his soul mate and the only woman who ever made him feel complete.

Spike was pulled away before he saw the one thing he would have fought heaven and hell for. For a moment, the briefest of instants eyes fluttered, a heart beat sped up, then fingers on a right hand moved up in a grasp, one word slipped from a dry hoarse throat. "Spike!" Then all was the same.