We Belong Together

Summary: Buffy, all alone in Rome, is thinking about Spike…when a certain song comes on the radio. Spuffy. Song-fic.

Disclaimer: Joss, ME… you know the people. And if you don't, look them up. Lyrics are from a website, newlyrics.net which isn't very good so I'm also using the lyrics in the booklet that came with the cd that my mother bought the other day. Oh and buffyworld.com for the direct quotes that are used. You'll see when you read it.

A/N: I apologize if my description of Rome is somewhat bad. I have never been there, so forgive me?

* ~ *

Night had fallen upon the city of Rome. The city was draped in its darkness, the only sources of light coming from the streetlamps, or from the various houses and businesses along the streets. Kids were heading back to their homes for their dinner, while some adults were going out on the town.

Staring down at all the activity was a young woman in her early twenties. A small sigh escaped the blonde-haired, petite sized woman as she reached over and turned on the radio.

"Hey Buffy, I'm going out. Be home by midnight." A young, brown-haired girl said, walking over to the woman and kissing her cheek. "And Buffy? Promise me you'll go out too. You can't keep dwelling on the past." She said before heading for the door.

"Be careful. And Dawn?" The woman named Buffy looked over at her younger sister. A hint of a smile pulled at Buffy's lips as she added, "Thank you."

Dawn flashed Buffy a smile and nodded. "Night Buffy." She tossed over her shoulder before exiting the apartment.

Another sigh escaped Buffy Summers' pale pink lips as she stared back out the window. Another night alone. Running a hand through her blonde hair, Buffy reached over and turned the radio up a bit, hoping to forget about her loneliness for a while.

I didn't mean it when I said
I didn't love you so
I should have held on tight
I never should have let you go
I didn't know nothing,
I was stupid, I was foolish
I was lying to myself
I couldn't have fathomed
I would ever be without your love
Never imagined I'd be sitting
here beside myself


Tears sprung into the blonde's green eyes as memories of what happened a few months back flashed through her mind.

Buffy stared at Spike, all alone now, the amulet letting out rays of light into the Hellmouth.

"Go on then." Spike said.

Fear was beginning to grip Buffy. She couldn't lose him. Not now. "No. No, you've done enough. You could still—"

"No, you've beat them back. It's for me to do the cleanup."

The walls were beginning to crumble around them both. Buffy realized then that she was really going to lose him. She heard Faith call down to her. She had forgotten that the other vampire slayer was still there.


Guess I didn't know you
Guess I didn't know me
But I thought I knew everything
I never felt
The feeling that I'm feeling
Now that I don't hear your voice
Or have your touch and kiss your lips
Cause I don't have a choice
Oh what I wouldn't give
To have you lying by my side
Right here cuz baby


As the chorus began to play, Buffy closed her eyes. She could see his face. His cheekbones, his platinum blonde hair, his lips. His blue eyes. And if she tried hard enough, she could see his infamous smirk, the one that managed to piss her off and yet make her weak in the knees.

When you left I lost a part of me
It's still so hard to believe
Come back baby please cause
We belong together
Who else am I gonna lean on
When times get rough
Who's gonna talk to me on the phone
Till the sun comes up
Who's gonna take your place
There ain't nobody better
Oh baby baby
We belong together


"Gotta move, lamb. I think it's fair to say school's out for bloody summer." Spike's voice interrupted Buffy's thoughts and brought her back to the present.

She didn't want to leave him. Not now, not ever. "Spike!" She cried out, worriedly. She was afraid. Afraid for him, afraid for her. Afraid to be alone.

"I mean it! I gotta do this." Spike held his hand out to hold her back. Buffy looked at his hand before interlocking her fingers with his. Their hands burst into flame.

Buffy looked at Spike and said, "I love you."


Those were the last words she ever said to him. And he didn't even believe her. Or maybe he did…She would never know.

God, she loved him. Loves him.

I can't sleep at night
When you are all on my mind
Bobby Womack's on the radio
Singing to me
'If you think you're lonely now'
Wait a minute this is too deep
I gotta change the station
So I turn the dial tryin' to catch a break
And then I hear Babyface
"I only think of you" and
It's breakin' my heart
I'm tryin' to keep it together
But I'm falling apart

I'm feeling all out of my element
I'm throwing things, crying trying
To figure out where the hell I went wrong
The pain reflected in this song
Ain't even half of what I'm feeling inside
I need you, need you back in my life baby


Buffy didn't even realize she had been crying until a tear fell on her hand. She gasped a bit and wiped it away before wiping away the tears on her cheeks. She had decided a long time ago to stop crying.

Buffy went back to looking out the window, her thoughts drifting to happier times.

When you left I lost a part of me
It's still so hard to believe
Come back baby please cause
We belong together
Who else am I gonna lean on
When times get rough
Who's gonna talk to me on the phone
Till the sun comes up
Who's gonna take your place
There ain't nobody better
Oh baby baby
We belong together


Buffy noticed a blonde head in the crowd and perked up. No, Buffy. Spike is dead. He's never coming back. Buffy sighed and pressed her palms gently against her eyes. She needed some sleep, or maybe some coffee. Buffy let her hands fall and looked at her watch. It was only eight. She'd get coffee.

Buffy stood up and turned around. She froze in her spot, shocked to see who was there.

"Hello luv."

A/N: Another chapter? Or shall I just end it there? Or how about a sequel?