YOU NEVER CAN TELL




A/N: Joss Whedon and ME own and operate all of the lovely characters in the Buffyworld. I don’t, never will (even though I wish I did) own them.

Oh, and the title? It’s a hint about the future plotline! Tee hee…


Summary: All of the characters are human in this fic. It’s late summer of 1963 in Sunnydale, California. Seventeen-year old Buffy Summers is the ultimate ‘good’ girl of Sunnydale. The totally golden haired princess of the town, cheerleader and girl girlfriend to the Sunnydale High School football captain. Loved by her father and stepmother, all of her relatives, especially her bad boy cousin, Xander Harris. (Yes, Xander Harris in a leather jacket!) She is adored by the throngs of Sunnydale citizens, mostly by Angel Crawford, her boyfriend, another fair haired hero of High School.

The problem is, Buffy is haunted by the death of her mother, four years before and it drives her to be the good girl for her Daddy, Hank Summers. Add a secret ‘crush’ on Xander’s best friend, fellow bad boy William ‘Spike’ Giles into the mix? There’s trouble a brewin’ in Sunnydale, CA.

Eighteen-year-old Spike Giles, British ex-patriate, resident bad boy, (yes, Spike in a leather jacket!) along with his friend, Xander, has had a major ‘crush’ on Buffy Summers since he arrived in the States. (Okay, Spike is already in love with Buffy Summers!) That was three years ago and even though Buffy has been with Angel Crawford (Spike’s All-American cousin), Spike can’t help the ‘love’ he’s always felt for her. Add to the problem that Spike has always felt a little beneath Buffy, and that his cousin, Angel, supposedly loves her? There’s trouble a brewin’ in Sunnydale.

I’m going to get this show on the road, immediately, and get our Spuffy loving into gear early on in this fiction. It’s going to appear to be a High School fluffy kind of tale, however, I warn you, it will get angstsy. Don’t worry, not the Spuffy break-up kind of a angstsy, but true love, like life, is never easy so…

I hope you read this, enjoy it and review it. Thank you, luv Spuf

(A little warning: There are references to non-Spuffy pairings in the very beginning, but not graphic, promise.)


Prologue:


Spike watched as his cousin, Angel Crawford, ran the length of the Sunnydale High football field. Oh, he was all show and shit, Angel was as he barked orders to his football squad and made a big deal of himself. It disgusted Spike, to no end, that Angel was the center of attention, especially the center of a certain blond cheerleader’s attention.

Buffy Summers, the object of Spike Giles’ obsession, was on the sidelines of the football field, practicing her moves with the coed cheerleading squad. Spike was momentarily gratified to see that Buffy gave Angel no notice as she concentrated on her cheerleading moves.

Next to Spike, sat Buffy’s cousin and Spike’s best friend, Xander Harris. The two young men sat on the bleachers on this fine early August afternoon and watched the antics of the cheerleading squad and football team.

Even though the temperature must have been close to 90 degrees, both Spike and Xander wore their black leather jackets with pride. Spike lit another cigarette and scowled at the little scene now unfolding on the field. Angel, his cousin, was hovering about the cheerleading squad, no, make that hovering around Buffy as the poor deluded girl handed him water in a cup.

“Christ,” Spike grumbled as he watched his poncey cousin grin and just plain act bloody stupid around Buffy. “Angel gets worse every day,” he ‘thought’ out loud.

Xander began to chuckle, softly and lit his own cigarette. Taking a deep drag, Xander Harris blew out a ring of smoke and turned his attention to his best friend, Spike and his obvious jealousy.

“Why the hell don’t you just ask my cousin out, Spike?” The dark haired Xander asked his blond friend, seriously. “You know you’d just love to get your hands on Buffy, why not ask her out? What the heck could it hurt, man?”

“It could hurt a lot,” Spike sighed heavily. ‘A hell of a lot, in fact,’ he repeated to himself. ‘Especially if she rejects me,’ he reasoned silently.

“See that big caveman out there,” Spike grumbled at Xander as he pointed to Angel. “That’s the main reason I don’t ask out Buffy, friend,” he hissed as he kicked the bleacher seat in front of him, angrily. “Buffy is my cousin’s girlfriend, Harris,” he reminded the dark haired young man. “She ‘loves’ him and therefore,” he shook his blond head sadly, “I don’t stand a chance. Besides,” he added wistfully, “Buffy is way out of my league. Too damn good for the likes of me,” he finished with a sigh.

“You’re such a fucking ass, Giles,” Xander laughed outloud as he finished his cigarette. “You know damn well that my girlfriend, Anya, is one of Buffy’s best friends. They talk all the time and Anya says that there is absolutely no fucking sparkage, on Buff’s part anyway, with Angel. Anyway,” Xander went on with a scowl, “my girl is a ‘rah rah’ just like Buffy. She’s not out of my league, right?”

“I guess,” Spike mumbled with another frown. “No sparkage, huh? On Buffy’s part?” Spike asked his buddy with a raised dark brow.

Of course, Angel was just fucking delireous over Buffy, who wouldn’t be? But Spike had never even considered the notion that Buffy might not return that feeling for his big, lumbering jackass of a cousin, Angel.

‘Not even real football,’ Spike thought with contempt as he watched Angel practically posing with the stupid ball. ‘Angel probably couldn’t play ‘real’ football if his life depended on it,’ the blond smirked widely.

“None, zip, zero,” Xander answered evenly, “the Buffy sparkage for Angel, I mean,” the dark headed teen added. “According to my Anya,” Xander chuckled, “she’s not even sure if Buffy ‘likes’ Angel all that much. Forget the lovey dovey part. Besides, sometimes I think that little Buffy just dates Angel because his dad’s is her dad’s business partner. Buffy just loves to please her daddy, my Uncle Hank.”

“Buffy might come across as a all innocent, naïve and goody-goody, Spike old pal,” Xander continued, “even virginal? But deep inside? I bet my little cousin is just a burning volocano of lust, waiting for the right guy to come along and…”

“Quit talking about Buffy that way,” Spike hissed, glaring at Xander. “She deserves better then that Harris, you know it.”

“I know,” Xander became suddenly serious, “and ‘you’ know how much I love Buffy. But the facts are this, Spike,” the dark haired teen scowled again, his brows scrunched together. “Buffy’s got some things she needs to work out, in her head. You know what happened, with Aunt Elizabeth, her mom, and all. It was Buffy that found her mom, after she’d downed the whole bottle of ‘mother’s little helpers’ and stopped breathing.”

Spike flinched, feeling Buffy Summers’ pain of that awful day. He hadn’t moved to Sunnydale, from England, with his own family yet. However, as soon as he’d laid eyes on Buffy, made friends with her cousin Xander and settled in? Spike made everything about Buffy Summers his business, even though his own cousin had already laid claim to her.

“Is she always going to blame herself?” Spike asked softly, watching Buffy to some ‘rah rah’ routine. “Even is she shouldn’t? For her Mum’s death? Just why did Elizabeth Summers kill herself, Xander?”

“I’ve told you enough,” Xander shrugged nervously. “Listen,” the teen added, “ask Buffy out. Grow some balls and ask her out. If you two get together? Well, then Buffy’ll tell you everything you need to know about her past. But for now, just know that Buffy’s mother killed herself, it’s no secret and that Uncle Hank remarried pretty quickly after that.”

“Yeah,” Spike mumbled under his breath, “Hank Summers. Mr. Wonderful, eh? Reminds me of my own Uncle Liam, Angel’s dad. A real dickhead, that’s for sure. Why my Mum has to be related to the ponce…”

“Damn,” Xander hissed suddenly, “I’m due at the Double Meat Palace, for work, in an hour. I’m gone,” he finished with a flick of his cigarette butt to the ground. “Going?” he asked Spike, “or are you going to just sit here and moon over Buffy?”

“I’m going,” Spike replied. But he looked longingly at Buffy Summers, still on the field, practicing for the new school year, just three weeks away.

“I hate this fucking cheerleading shit,” Xander sighed deeply. “It takes up serious make-out time for me and Anya. Can’t wait until after Christmas break. Then things slow down for ‘rah rahs’ and I get my girl back.” Xander smirked at Spike and motioned for him to follow him out of the football stadium.

Before they slipped through the gate, Spike turned and looked longingly at Buffy Summers.

‘I’ll always be beneath her,’ he thought sadly, with a shake of his blond head. “I’ll never be good enough for the likes of Buffy Summers.’

Xander and Spike left the stadium to go to their respective summer jobs. If Spike had of looked back, at Buffy, just one more time? He would have seen the blond haired cheerleader watching him and her cousin as they left. A sad, longing expression on her own pretty face.


A/N: Well, that’s the start, just a Summary and Proglogue. I’m finishing up with A Murder in Sunnydale and Na Grach Croi before I get too involved in this fiction.

A little heads up: This story will not be as long as most of my fics. However, I will try and go into detail and capture the ‘atmosphere and environment’ of this time in history. Remember that a lot of things were quite different then (for those of us old enough to remember any of it!) and I’m going to try and write with that in mind.

I hope you all will read this and get caught up in it. Everyone is human, some more then others (!) and again, there will be angst. Please stick with me on this. I will reference certain sources as the plotlines dictate. Don’t be afraid, this is Spuffy, for sure as it’s all I ever really write.

Thank you for reading this fic. Please review. Luv Spuf