"Buffy, I want you to watch what is passing between those lips. Your blood pressure is up a tad more then I like and you've gained a pound or two more then I like to see. But your sugar is good and there's no protein in your urine." Doyle O'Bannon, her OB/GYN, who specialized in high-risk pregnancy, told her.

"Dr. O'Bannon, I'm trying, but next step is eat like a rabbit." Buffy sighed, wondering how much longer, she would be able to stand all of this. Everything hurt; even sitting for ten minutes in this otherwise comfortable chair was a strain.

"Buffy, dear one, we just need to get you as close to 34 to 36 weeks as we can." Doyle reminded her gently, his lovely Irish lilt taking any sting away from his words.

"I know, 3 or 5 more weeks to go, come on Father Time, speed it up would ya." Buffy said trying to joke but found it lame even to her ears.

Doyle just rolled his eyes as he gave her an understanding smile, since she was not the only pregnant woman who was tired of third trimester for so long, as he asked to change the subject. "So, are you sure you don't want to know the wee ones sexual identity?"

Buffy adamantly shook her head no. The last thing she needed was to know if she was giving birth to a son let alone two of them. Since finding out she was pregnant, all she prayed for was having a daughter, now daughters.

"Nope, will let it happen naturally." Buffy answered, knowing she would be more depressed with the knowledge she was carrying a son. The son she was sure Spike would still have rejected over his first-born.

"I want to see you next week. Try and elevate those piggies of yours and drink more water." Doyle advised as he tried to give her his stern doctor in charge expression.

"Fine, you will find me on the couch with pillows everywhere and a water cooler within reach. No longer a pregnant log I will be, but a beached whale." Buffy snorted as she tried to push her overly rounded, short, little body out of the chair as she said, "I will see you next week Dr Stricty pants."

"Take care, my little Buttercup." Doyle said with a slight chuckle, as his favorite patient waddled out of his office. He had noticed how pale she was, but her blood work was great. He was sure it was because of her being unable to sleep for very long periods at a time.

Buffy rubbed her bulging tummy as she walked into the waiting area. Willow was there waiting for her which had become a common practice since she found out she was pregnant. If not for her best friend, she surely would not have survived so far. As much as she loved Xander, Willow knew what she needed right now. A friend, who just listened when she needed to talk, was the best medicine right now.

Willow felt worried at Buffy's appearance. She noticed the dark circles under her eyes, which had become more noticeable of late. The last thing anyone needed, especially Buffy, was for her to become ill during this pregnancy. She was sure it would lead Xander and Giles on a Spike hunt.

Xander, Giles, and herself had decided not to tell Buffy about their encounter with Spike and his little family. The last thing Buffy needed was to be upset at the reminder that Spike had moved on.

"So, Waddle Goddess, what's the word?" Willow asked as she forced the bad thoughts away, joking with her best friend instead.

"More lying around with my feet up and drink more water. Seems I have graduated from lake to ocean drinkage. Just call me, 'Free Buffy'." Buffy said as she fought back a yawn.

"You're beautiful, and I think someone is in dire need of a nap." Willow said as she reached out and put her arm around Buffy as they started to walk outside.

"Am I wrong in not telling Spike?" Buffy whispered as they approached Willow's car.

"No, you aren’t,” Willow quickly answered, feeling Buffy needed her support now more then ever. "Right now, you and the babies' welfare come first, and Spike be damned."

The redhead understood Buffy's feelings on the matter of how Spike should have realized she could have been carrying his child when he divorced her. She also knew it would have been more difficult for Buffy to face this alone with the knowledge he knew and still didn't care.

Buffy smiled through her tears at her friend as she said, "Thanks, Wills. I don't know what I would've done without you guys. I really don't."

Willow was quick to point out, "Well, it's not something you have to think about or find out. Friends forever, just like we promised that day you made me prick my finger."

"Hey, it worked didn't it?" Buffy teased. "Friends forever."

"Yes, it did," Willow replied as she pulled the car keys from her purse and pushed the unlock button. "Even if I did faint at the sight of blood."

"Buffy Summers, is that you?" a familiar female voiced asked.

"God! Not now." Buffy mumbled under her breath as she turned to see who had called her name. "Hello Faith." She greeted the woman who had stolen Angel from her five years ago.

"Well, well, looky here. Buffy's all blown up." Faith giggled. "You have that 'my husband left me, had a one night stand fuck, and forgot to use protection look about you.'"

"Shut up Faith," Willow quickly chastised the brown-haired woman for tormenting her best friend.

Faith ignored the redhead as she continued with her insults. "Oh! Or is that why Blondie dropped your ass? Was he not ready to be papa yet?"

Buffy felt a wave of dizziness come over her as she grabbed onto the car door. She felt like the world around her was spinning. A wave of nausea attacked her with a vengeance and everything around her started to fade away.

Willow paled when she noticed Buffy's eyes start to become unfocused and she cried out, "Buffy, are you okay?"

Faith noticed how pale and out of sorts Buffy had suddenly become. She saw that the pregnant woman was about to faint and rushed forward to grab her. Never did she expect this kind of reaction from Buffy and it scared her. She started to feel guilty for being such a bitch.

Doyle and a co-worker, Doctor Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, were coming out of their office building when he heard someone yell, 'Buffy!' Turning in that direction, he felt his heart race as Buffy collapsed.

"Come with me,” he said to Wesley as he broke into a run, noticing a dark haired woman assisting Buffy to the ground.

He ran as fast as he could pulling out his cell phone and calling for an ambulance at the same time. "Yes, this is Dr. O'Bannon. I need an ambulance at the parking lot of 3347 Oakland Drive. I have an unconscious pregnant woman here."

"Buffy!" He yelled as she dropped to his knees beside her. The scream of an ambulance could be heard in the background.

Buffy's eyes flickered upon hearing her name called by various voices. They seemed familiar, but she didn't care. Things were being said that made no sense, and she didn’t have the energy to try and any of it out.

"Her pressure is 180 over 100."

"She's not responding to verbal or a sternal rub."

"Her pressure has been borderline her last two visits."

"Faith upset her."

"Who's Faith?"

"Her."

"What did you do to upset her?"

"Just called her on who's the Daddy?"

"You heartless Bitch!"

"Hey, who're you calling a bitch?"

"I'd say if the shoe fits, wear it."

"We've got an IV established and she didn't even flinch."

"I'll call Joyce and the others."

"Yes, you do that ducks. I'll ride with her to the hospital. Wesley, can you take rounds for me?"

"That won't be a problem."

"Okay"

"Hey, Doc, let's get a move on," the paramedic yelled as they lifted the cot with Buffy strapped to it lying on her left side.

"Should I call Spike?" Faith asked.

"No!" Willow snapped, "Please, don't. He's not a part of her life anymore."

Faith noticed how upset the redhead was and decided she'd talk to her husband, Angel, first. "Don't worry, Red, won't say a thing to bleach boy wonder."

"Please, Faith, it would only make matters worse right now. If not for Buffy, think of the babies' welfare." Willow begged of her.

The thought of the little lives depending on Buffy's health made Faith promise and the guilt hit triple fold on her conscience as she vowed, "I swear, I won't tell a soul."

"Thank you,” Willow said as she pulled out her cell phone to make her calls.

*******