Opposites Attract: The Prequel
By Kat

Disclaimer: Joss owns them.

A/N: Thanks to my reviewers! This was fun to write, so I hope you like it. :)

A/N 2: I’m contemplating a sequel, though I must mention that unless otherwise stated, Buffy wears contact lenses and she’s on birth control pills to clear up her skin. Okay, read on!

Feedback: Would be fantastic, thanks.


“Finish the first section of chapter two for homework,” Jenny Calendar told her math class after the bell rang. The students gathered their things and filed out the door. “William, may I have a word with you?”

Spike told his friends he’d see them later, then went back to the teacher’s desk. “Yeah?”

“William, I’m sure you’re aware of how close you are to failing my class. I’ve asked someone to stop by, she’ll be here in a minute. I hope you’ll allow her to help you.”

“You want some girl to tutor me? I don’t think so-”

There was a light knock on the door, then it opened. “Ms Calendar, you wanted to see me?”

“Buffy! My start physics student. Please come in,” Jenny said, and Spike rolled his eyes. “William, this is Buffy,” she continued.

“We’ve met,” he said, eyeing the girl distastefully.

“Great. Buffy, I’d like you to help William with a few things for his trigonometry class.”

“But Ms Calendar, you know I’m taking calculus at Sunnydale University this year! I don’t know if I’ll have time to tutor him as well.”

Jenny smiled. Buffy was always worried about her grades even when she was at the top of the class. “This will be good revision for you. I’d really appreciate it.”

She gave in, as always. “Fine.”

“Fantastic. I’ll leave it to you two to organise times, but I’d like you to meet at least twice a week.”

“Of course,” Buffy replied, forcing herself to be agreeable. “So, when are you free?”

He glanced at where Jenny sat at her desk, pretending not to listen. “Tomorrow’s Friday, right? I’m free at lunch.”

“That’s only half an hour,” Jenny chimed in. “Pick two afternoons.”

“Tuesday and Friday, then. Happy?”

“I’d be happier if you failed math and got kicked off the basketball team,” she replied, still smiling sweetly.

Spike was amused. “Fine. Meet me by my car tomorrow after school.”

“I’ll be there. Bye Ms Calendar, Spike,” she said, turning and leaving the room. She really didn’t want to be late for chemistry.

“Wipe that smirk off your face, Mr Giles,” Jenny said. “And get to class.”

~~

The next afternoon, Buffy went directly to the shiny black convertible in the school parking lot after grabbing some things from her locker. It was a hot day, so she’d worn a shorter skirt, but she’d spent too long shaving her legs that morning and didn’t have enough time to blow-dry her hair. It was naturally curled and she had to keep flicking it over her shoulders because it got in her eyes.

There was no way she was going to climb over the door to get into the car, so she was forced to wait until Spike showed up. Sighing, she picked up her backpack and went through it one more time to be sure she had her trig notes as well as all the books she’d need for the weekend.

Spike approached his car in disbelief. Buffy was leaning against the passenger door, affording him a great view of slim legs bare from mid-thigh to the top of her Mary Janes. She tossed her hair back and obviously caught sight of him because she stopped and began to yell.

“Where have you been?” she exclaimed, then glanced at her watch. “It’s almost four o’clock!”

“So what?”

“School ended at three-thirty.”

“I was busy.”

They got into the car. She glared at him and didn’t stop until he started driving. “You do realise that the longer it is until we start, the later your study session ends?” When he said nothing, she continued. “I have to be home by six. Ms Calendar is going to be mad if I tell her you were late.”

“Don’t tell her, then.”

Buffy silently fumed for the rest of the ride. How was she going to get home in time to watch Battlestar Gallactica, her favourite show, if she had to supervise an unenthusiastic Spike while he did his trig homework?

“Mind studying at my place?” he asked as they pulled into his driveway.

“Are your parents home?” was her reply as she followed him inside. She wasn’t allowed to be alone in a house with a boy, however annoying and infuriating he was.

“Yeah,” he told her, “want a drink?”

“Water, please.”

She lugged her backpack up the stairs behind him after he’d come back from the kitchen. Though she was annoyed at how he’d kept her waiting after school, she wasn’t too pissed off to peer curiously at the photos on the walls. Spike as a skinny, brunette child was something she was glad she hadn’t missed.

He led her into his room and handed her a glass, then pulled out a textbook. “Grab your notes, too,” she told him.

“Don’t have any,” he replied.

“And your homework?”

“Haven’t done any.”

Buffy almost screamed in frustration, then took a few sips of water while she resisted the urge to yell again. “Fine. Okay. Grab some paper. Open the text to wherever you’re up to in class.” He did as he was told. “Great, trig identities. This is easy. Cosine refers to the x-axis, and sine refers to the y-axis of the unit circle. With me so far?”

Spike nodded, watching at where she was pointing in his book. “Tan is equal to sine divided by cosine. So in the first quadrant, both sine and cosine are positive. Tan will be positive as well.”

“Yep, got it,” he nodded again, then turned to ask her a question. Buffy was leaning with her right elbow on his desk, her left hand alternately indicating points in the text and playing with her loose hair. She moved her left arm so it was next to her right, and she was leaning over the desk beside him. He could see down the front of her white blouse to where her lacy bra was cupping her breasts.

“So, in the second quadrant, is tan positive or negative?” she asked. He was quiet for a minute so she turned to look at him, finding him peering down her shirt. “Spike!” she admonished him, pulling back to stand up.

He caught her around the waist before she was too far away. Spike stood up as well, tugging her close so he could kiss her. She pulled back and looked into his eyes before leaning into him again. The kiss was hesitant on her part, demanding on his. She was so caught up in him that she didn’t notice they’d moved until he was pushing her to lie on his bed.

Her mind wanted her to shove him away, but all she could think about was the feeling of his lips against hers, his chest under her hands, his hands first on her thighs and then hiking up her skirt… Wait!

“Stop!” she exclaimed, “Spike, stop!” Buffy pulled away from him, eyes wide.

He rolled onto his back, staring up at the ceiling. “What?”

“Your parents are home,” she told him. “And also? I don’t like you.”

“I can’t stand you, either. Glad that’s settled. And my parents aren’t home, so we can get back to the shagging now.”

“What do you mean your parents aren’t home? You told me they were!”

“They’re at work,” Spike said. “Should be home in a few hours.”

She huffed. “We could have studied at my house. My mum’s there.”

“Your sister’s there, too.” At her confused look, he continued. “Dawn? Little freshman who I can’t escape? She’s annoying. There’s no way I’m going to your place if she’s there.”

“She annoys me too,” Buffy agreed.

He took her into his arms again. “So can we make out now?”

She smiled sweetly at him and leaned in. “No.” His arms were holding her securely, though, so she couldn’t move away.

“Why not?”

“Because we’re not dating. I don’t kiss guys that I’m not going out with.”

He rolled his eyes. “Do you have a boyfriend?”

“No.”

“Good. Go out with me tomorrow night. I’ll pick you up at seven.”

She was about to tell him to get lost, but paused. “I’m not having sex with you now, or tomorrow night.”

“Fine.”

“Okay Spike, I’ll date you.” She grinned as he moved so he was on top of her. He unbuttoned her blouse and had the front clasp of her bra undone in seconds, having her moaning soon after.

He rolled slowly so she was on top now. With shaking fingers, she nervously pushed his shirt up and ran her hands over his chest. His firm muscles were smooth beneath her fingers. Spike grabbed her hips and began to rock her slowly against him. She gasped when she felt his hard length through his pants.

“Spike, stop.” He didn’t. “I mean it.”

“You’re such a tease,” he said jokingly, but she didn’t take it that way.

“Shut up. I have to go.”

“Stay,” he told her, but let her go. She gathered up her things and he came to stand next to her. “Why are you going? It’s only five o’clock.”

“You want more from me than I can give you.” Buffy had tears in her eyes, but she didn’t let them fall. “I don’t think I can go out with you. I’ll tell Ms Calendar to find you another tutor.”

“No! I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it, I just don’t want to stop.”

“I’m not having sex with you! You’re obsessed, clearly.” She opened his bedroom door and was about to leave.

“I’ll pick you up at seven tomorrow night, okay? For a nice date. Pick a movie and we’ll see it. Anything. Please?” he pleaded with her. He’d tried to seduce her but clearly she wasn’t that type. He liked her, though. She wasn’t just any girl, she was Buffy. She’d probably want him to meet her parents after their third date. He thought that he could grow to love this girl.

“Okay. Tomorrow night. See you then.” She smiled to herself as she left. She was going to date a guy who tricked her into going to his house when his parents weren’t home. A guy who kept trying to sleep with her for some reason. Oh well. He really did want to date her, and he wasn’t bad to look at, either. She didn’t spare a thought for his forgotten trig homework.

TBC