Second the First

By Heather Martin

Rated- PG13 (bad language mostly)

Disclaimer- Joss owns everything important in this life (Buffy TVS and Angel)

Summary- Sequel to Replay. It has been months and Spike still hasn’t come home from his journey to Africa. Buffy goes in search of him, not only because of her aching heart but also because he is vital against the battle with the First. When she finds him, will he be the Spike she knew?

Recap- Dawn accidentally sent Buffy and her back to the sixth season. They managed to save Tara from a terrible death, keep Giles in town, and prevent Xander bailing out at the wedding. Buffy and Spike got together, but the vampire left at the end to win not his soul but . . . life.

Chapter 2- Those Golden Eyes Upon Me

Velvet wished that time travel really was possible. She’d go back and tell herself to stay clear of Josh. She’d tell her mom to stay home instead of going out on that icy road. And William wouldn’t have to be crazy. She could believe that somehow he popped out of the nineteenth century.

She contemplated sending him to a psychiatrist. But then they might lock him away and dope him up with medication. She didn’t want that for him. He was better off living with his delusions.

Sometimes, though, Velvet felt like screaming at him. ‘You can’t possibly be one-hundred and something!’ she wanted to shout. ‘Things like that don’t happen.’

Velvet loved William like a brother, really she did. But his illness got to her sometimes. He would go on and on about the modern world and how advanced things had gotten. It killed her to humor him.

She watched him stare at the microwave in memorization. A sinking feeling rose up inside her chest. She forced herself to focus on the potato she was peeling. All of a sudden her knife slipped. She hissed, letting the vegetable and utensil fall. She looked down at the red liquid that escaped her thumb.

William set down his steaming hot cocoa on the counter. “What is it?” he asked.

“I cut my finger,” Velvet said. “Could you hand me a paper towel? I need to stop the bleeding.”

He began to reach for the roll of paper towels. He stopped, nostrils flaring. His eyes transfixed on the oozing wound. For some reason his reaction startled Velvet. She lifted her thumb and sucked on it, staunching the flow. The reaction had the opposite effect than she had been aiming for. He took a step toward her.

“What-?” Velvet spoke.

He took in a deep breath. It was very animal-like.

“Will, um . . . the paper towel?” she reminded him.

Ignoring her (or not hearing), William came even closer. She mechanically backed away and hit the pantry door. He stalked up, ending only two or three inches away. Was he sniffing her? This wasn’t right. William was always gentle and shy. This was . . . vulgar.

With lightening speed, William had a hold of her right hand. He lifted it to his mouth. His lips wrapped around her thumb, sucking. He closed his eyes with ecstasy. When he opened them again Velvet hollered in horror. They had gone golden. The outburst caused him to let go of her. She took the opportunity to dash to the kitchen island. She snatched up the paring knife. She spun around, holding it out as a weapon.

“Stay back!” she commanded.

“Velvet, what is going on?” He was back to the little boy persona now, his eyes altered to their natural blue. His voice wavered with fright.

“I don’t know!”

He reached out. “I-I feel funny.”

She waved the knife in front of her in warning.

The door bell rang. Velvet and William shared a look. Velvet wasn’t about to answer the door. This was way more important. William was too petrified to move.

“I think something is wrong,” William squeaked.

“Damn right . . . demon!”

Okay, maybe she was a little irrational. But his eyes had gone golden. Eyes weren’t supposed to do that. Things like that only occurred in horror movies. Steven King stuff.

Now he was trembling and Velvet almost felt guilty for her accusation.

All throughout the door bell continued to ring. It was very persistent.

Velvet fought to calm herself. “I’ll take you to the doctor,” she said.

William nodded. “Al-All right.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing.”

He nodded again.

Velvet lowered the knife.

The door burst open.

+ + +

Sunnydale was a small town not even on the map. But this town was worse. At least in California you could drive. Here buggies blocked your way wherever you turned. She thanked her lucky stars that all she had to do was sit back and let the tour bus do the work. They actually had people from all over traveling to see the monstrosity, go figure. So what if some people wanted to wear bonnets and spend all their time with the animals? Buffy didn’t get what the entire hype was about.

The bus stopped at some place called Shipshewana. They had this flea market, selling a whole bunch of junk. Yet again Buffy wondered what was up with people. It looked like some giant garage sale to her. Oh well, whatever got your stake pointy. She smiled to herself at that.

Buffy whipped out the map Tara had drawn her. Spike couldn’t be far. She shut her eyes and focused, trying to home in on any vampy tinglies. None. Oh well. She started to walk, figuring sooner or later she’d come across something.

And she did. After walking for miles, and venturing away from civilization. She felt the familiar sensation on the back of her neck, almost as if it had gone to sleep. She was positive it was Spike. She couldn’t imagine an ‘evil’ vampire choosing to come here. But then again, on second thought, maybe they’d get off on all the wholesomeness. Only one way to find out if it was Spike or not, follow it.

The tinglings led her to a small blue house, surrounded by trees. An old, slightly rusted, white car sat in the driveway. Whoever lived there obviously wasn’t rich. Not that it was run-down, though. The owner took care of the place on their meager salary. Buffy went up to the door. She punched the doorbell. Her tinglies were going crazy now. Buffy ‘knew’ it was Spike at this point. He was the only one that ever caused her slayer senses to go this haywire.

No one answered. She kept ringing the doorbell. Still nobody. Okay, time to take action. Buffy stepped back and lifted her leg. She sent her foot crashing into the door. The barrier collapsed. She rushed in.

A woman with long black hair met up with her. She displayed a knife. “What the hell are you doing in my house!?”

Buffy raised her hands. She didn’t want any trouble. But if this woman got in the way of her and her vampire, well. . .

“I’m looking for a friend. I was told that he might be here,” Buffy said.

“Uh huh, and that gives you the right to kick-“ The woman assessed the damage done to her front door. “-my door in.”

“Sorry about that,” Buffy said, sheepishly. “I’ll replace it.”

“Do you work out?”

Buffy shrugged.

“Look, I suggest you get out before I call the police.”

“I really need to find my friend. He’s-“

A moan cut her off. It came from the kitchen.

“Spike!?” Buffy called.

The next thing she knew, he emerged. It was as if he broke at the sight of her. He fell to his knees before her and wept. The woman stared in shock, letting her arm go limp at her side. All Buffy could do was kneel before Spike and wrap her arms around him.

It didn’t matter how he got here. Or why he stayed. Or who this woman he was with was. Or . . . why he was warm!

It didn’t matter at all. All that mattered was that she found him again, and she wasn’t going to let him go.

________________________________________________________

What do you think?