To Have and To Hold – by LoobyLoo 15 – Pure unashamed Fluff!



Chapter 1

It was at that point Buffy’s heart was broken. William held her, tears coursed down their cheeks. Neither could speak for a while.

The boy she loved, the boy whose ring she’d worn for the last eighteen months, had told her he’d got to go away back to England.

“I’ll ask mom if you can live with us…I’ll save up and come to England … I’ll … I’ll…run away and…please don’t go!” The tears fell again.

“It’s no good babe…we can phone…and write, and as you say, we can save up. Gods babe, I’m going to die without you” Buffy cried even harder; holding tightly onto him.


Three Weeks Later

The airport farewell had been dreadful; on the way home Buffy was taken with huge wracking sobs so she was eventually physically sick, and she could hardly breathe, had her mother worried.

“You’ll get over this crush love…time is a great healer”

“IT’S NOT A CRUSH, I LOVE HIM, DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND? I. LOVE. HIM!” Buffy tried the car door handle; she really would throw herself out of the fast moving car if her mother didn’t shut up now!

“BUFFY! For goodness sake! You could have fallen out” Joyce slowed the car, seeing her daughter’s hand on the handle. This nearly caused the car behind to rear-end them, and the driver blared his horn.

“GOOD! I want to die!” Buffy sobbed. Joyce heaved a sigh and steered the car towards the right hand lane so she could turn for home.

So for the first month after William had to go back to England with his father, they phoned, and wrote. Everyday. Both ran up horrendous phone bills, and they both had to get jobs to help pay for it.

Buffy had been grounded.

“Where the hell do you think that I can get $338 to pay for a phone bill?” Joyce asked, angrily pacing around her in the kitchen, waving the said bill around.

Buffy sat there in tears…her mom just didn’t understand how much they loved each other…

“You’ll have to help with this Buffy, you can come every night to the gallery after school, and vacuum and dust, clean the toilets and fill the dispensers and earn the money to pay for it!”

Much the same confrontation had taken place in England too. William had been summoned to his father’s study one day after school.

“Kindly explain to me William, why I suddenly find myself with a telephone bill for £279, and forty five pence”

“Sorry” William looked at his feet, wanting to be anywhere but here…

“Sorry? – Is that all you can say for yourself, sorry? Well let me tell you young man, sorry just doesn’t cut it, you will go and get yourself some work, and pay for at least three quarters of this, do you understand?”

“Yes dad” William said miserably, which led him to the Circle K 7-11 store shelf stacking and pricing up, for the next two months.

Buffy was supposed to be doing her homework. Instead, in front of her was a piece of pale blue note paper with little pink, yellow and pale green hearts on it. Buffy had written her own and William’s initials in each one, with an arrow through it, she’d written,

‘Dearest darling William, I miss you so much. Sorry I didn’t phone you last night, but mom gave me SUCH a telling off, and now I’m grounded.

There’s also a lock on the phone because the bill was nearly $350. I want to die. No, I want to be with you…I miss you very much…I know I said that already, but it’s true.

Oh, and I’ve got to go to the gallery and work to help pay for the phone bill…we had a French test today, and I flunked…and the math.

When will I ever use long division when I’m older? I don’t care if I don’t pass any exams. It’ll serve HER right, I don’t care………’

She always ended the same.

‘Love you, millions and trillions and tons of sugar, Your Buffy, Forever’

There was a light tap on her bedroom door. Buffy scowled and hid the letter in her bag.

“WHAT?” She snapped

“Buffy, what have I told you? I’ll send you to live with your father in Dakota if you don’t speak to me with a civil tongue in your head”

“What do you want?” Buffy asked testily.

“Have you finished your homework?” Joyce asked
**Finished? Haven’t even STARTED it** Buffy thought.

“Why?”

“Your suppers ready”

“Not hungry”

“Buffy…it’s your favourite, cheese feast pizza” Buffy salivated, but steeled her resolve.

“Don’t care, I DON’T WANT IT, ok, now leave me alone!” Joyce frowned…

“Buffy – I –“

“And DON’T come in! I didn’t say you could come in! I don’t barge in your room do I?” Joyce had the door open a foot wide, and then closed it to a few inches.

“You’ll make yourself ill if you don’t eat”

“Oh yeah, like YOU care about me!”

“BUFFY, How could you say such a terrible th-thing…I um…oh!” Joyce could be heard running downstairs. Buffy frowned, and went and listened at her bedroom door. She could hear her mother crying.

She felt a slight twinge of guilt, and then slammed the door shut hatefully.

“Good, I’m glad your sad, SO AM I!”

Buffy stood with her back to the closed door, eyes closed. She hurt, all over this pain of being apart was tearing her up and her mother just totally didn’t understand………