Author's Chapter Notes:
I wasn't planning on putting this one in yet, but I'm really proud of it and couldn't resist. I just hope you guys would like it and let me know how I'm doing. I'm always up for any comments=)
Chapter 1

Buffy Summers walked the halls of Sunnydale High. It was her first day at a new school and she was already feeling like she didn’t belong there. She wasn’t paying attention and crashed into someone, causing her to fall down. She looked up to see two girls laughing, and a guy with bleach blond hair and a leather duster.

“You all right?” he asked, not really all that concerned.

She nodded and stood up.

“Just watch where you’re going,” was all he said before walking away, the girls trailing after him.

Buffy let out a sigh. She was already off to a good start.

“Don’t let them get to you. They think they own this school.”

Buffy turned at the voice to see a red headed girl standing behind her. “Yeah, I guess.”

The girl smiled. “You’re new, right?”

Buffy nodded again. “I just moved here from LA.”

“That’s cool; I would love to go to Los Angeles.”

Buffy shrugged. “It’s not so great.”

The red head ignored her comment. “I’m Willow, what’s your name?”

“It’s Buffy,” she answered.

Willow put her arm around Buffy as they started walking. “I’ll introduce you to some of my friends. Just stick with us and you should be fine. I would avoid those other kids if I were you. They have a habit of making people’s lives miserable.”

Buffy took in what the other girl was saying. “Let me guess, they would be the popular crowd.”

Willow nodded. “Yeah, the guy was Spike. He’s like one of the most popular guys in school. He always has girls hanging around him. I bet half the time he doesn’t even know their names.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I’m sure.”

Willow looked at her new friend. “So, what were you like in your other school? Did you have to deal with really mean popular kids?”

Buffy gave a humorless laugh. “I was one of them.”

Willow raised her eyebrows in confusion.

Buffy decided to clarify for her. “I wasn’t really mean or anything, but I was one of the popular kids.”

“What changed?” Willow wondered.

Buffy took on a pained expression before replying. “I moved here.”


* * * * *


Willow introduced Buffy to her friends at lunch later in the day.

She liked them all instantly.

Xander was funny and always tried to make people laugh.

Cordelia used to be one of the popular kids, until she started to date Xander and realized that popularity wasn’t everything.

Oz, Willow’s boyfriend, was the quiet type and yet played guitar in a band.

Tara was Xander’s sister and she was very shy, but really sweet.

Buffy found herself laughing at something Xander said and it felt like she hadn’t laughed in a long time. She gazed over at another table in the cafeteria that the popular group was sitting at. She figured that out because she noticed that Spike was among them, with some brunette on his lap. She had to admit that he was good looking, but way out of her league. She was nobody these days. Buffy felt saddened when she saw Spike start to kiss the girl, then felt a twinge of jealousy and didn’t even know why. She continued to watch them, when Spike suddenly pulled away from the girl and looked right at Buffy. She turned away quickly and hoped that he didn’t notice her staring.


* * * * *


Buffy got home after school and placed her bag on the couch. She looked around at the empty house and again felt saddened, not thinking that she belonged there. Her father walked out of the kitchen, with his cell phone attached to his ear. She caught the end of his conversation to find him yelling at someone, but didn’t know what it was about.

He hung up and finally took notice of her there. “Hey, how was your first day?”

She shrugged. “It was okay.”

“You have homework?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, I was wondering if you could help me with this one assignment. I’m not sure I really understand it,” she said, trying to get her father to do something with her.

Hank was about to respond, but his phone rang again. “I’m sorry, Buffy. I’m a little busy right now, I’m sure you would be able to figure it out,” he claimed, then answered the phone and went to find some privacy.

Buffy let out a sigh as she watched him go, knowing that he would have something more important to do. She didn’t even know why she bothered. Buffy headed upstairs to her room and sat on the bed, then grabbed her stuffed pig and held it close to her. “Say hello to your new life,” she whispered to herself, clutching the pig to her chest and finally letting the tears fall.