Prologue:

Somewhere outside an English University.

Xander Harris had just had a vision. He shaded his eyes and watched as her sunlit form moved gracefully across the quad. Long blonde hair floated around perfect facial features like a veil. Skirts swirled around shapely legs. Exquisite breasts strained against a skimpy top. And he was in love.

Chapter One

Five minutes later.

"So, did you get all that Xan?"

"Uh yeah." Xander looked down at his friend who was lying full length on the grass, an open notebook resting on his stomach. "What?"

"The vampire, do you think he should look like me?"

"Vampire...what vampire?" Xander turned his attention back to the vision. That top, it was only just decent. Which was good. He willed her to come closer..

His friend flipped himself effortlessly into a sitting position. "The vampire in the computer game we are supposed to be writing." He waved his hand in front of Xander's face. "Hello, anyone home?"

Xander snapped out of his trance. "Oh, that vampire. A Billy Idol wannabe. Give me a break Spike. Who's that going to scare? Except for your mother. Do you think I should go help her?"

"You need to help my mother?"

"No, you prat." Xander looked around. "What, is she here?"

"Xan," Spike snapped his notebook shut, "what makes me think I've been talking to myself for the last ten minutes?"

"That my friend." Xander made a grand gesture towards the vision who was now engaged in picking up the books she had dropped. Her shapely backside wiggled enticingly as the two men stared in appreciation. Of course the fact that the sunlight had rendered her skirt virtually see-through was helping their powers of concentration enormously.

Spike whistled softly. "Verrry shaggable." He caught Xander's look and shrugged his shoulders. "I suppose."

Xander gave him a shove which knocked him flat. "You are talking," he placed a hand over his heart, "about the woman I love. So watch your mouth."

The vision had retrieved her books and had them balanced precariously under one arm. She was lowering herself gingerly and groping for her bag. Xander started to get up but Spike pulled him down.

"Hey, let go. I need to carry that bag. Throw my coat down in a puddle or something"

"You should go throw yourself in a puddle." Spike sat up again. "A very cold one. Now put your tongue back in, wipe the drool off and give some attention to this game. " He reached for the notebook. "We have a schedule here that doesn't involve getting your knickers in a twist over American exchange students." He stole another glance at the girl's retreating form. "No matter how shaggable she is."

Xander sighed as she disappeared into one of the grand old buildings surrounding the quad. "She looked a real lady, didn't she? All prim and posh. All virginal and just waiting for..."

"Americans don't do posh." Spike slapped the notebook into Xander's lap, causing him to yelp. "And believe me. She's no virgin."

"And you'd know because?" Xander looked round suddenly. "Oh- my- god, you haven't...." He caught Spike's grin. "Okay, winding me up here. But you do know her right? You said she was American."

"Yeah. Don't exactly know her. Seen her around is all. Think she was at one of my seminars, don't rightly remember."

"Spike, I'm going to marry this girl. I'll need a bit more to go on than that."

Spike stretched his arms over his head and stood up. "This is a dead loss, I need some coffee to kick start me. You coming?"

Xander jumped up. "I need names, places, come on, spill."

"God, you're a pain in the ass Xan. All-right, she's got this weird name. Buff-something. Her daddy is stinking rich and endowed the library with a pile of books in exchange for his little rich girl to spend a year studying here."

Xander rubbed his hands together. "It just gets better and better." He put an arm around Spike's shoulders as they strolled along the path. Spike knocked it off. "Would you quit that. People are going to start to talk."

But Xander wasn't going to be put off. "And she's in the English department right?"

"Yeah. Got a thing for romantic poets, so I hear." This time Spike managed to keep a straight face.

"Romantic poetry, but isn't that what your PhD is... Okay." Xander stopped walking. "Time to point out two things my friend."

Spike pushed open the door to the cafeteria and tilted his head to one side. "And that would be?"

"Numero one." Xander held up a finger. "You are so dating my sweet sister. Drusilla, remember her? So you," he pointed at Spike and shook his head, "not available. And two, I saw her first."

"Well technically I saw her..."

Xander didn't let Spike finish. He pushed him through the door, and gave him a cheesy grin. "So you, my man-in the-know, are going to get me a date with that girl."
---------------------------------------------------------

Buffy Summers picked up the wine bottle and frowned. "This won't do Willow. It's still half full."

"Or half empty." Her friend covered the top of her glass with her hand. "No more Buffy, the room's starting to go all spinny and I..I'm not used to drinking, and..."

"And what? Come on Willow, I thought we were here to have fun." She'd met Willow at the university American Society, and even though Buffy thought she was a bit on the nerdy side, they'd been firm friends ever since. Buffy moved her hand and splashed wine into the glass. "Oops." She collapsed in a fit of giggles. "Hey, perhaps that nice waiter will come and wipe it up for us. Waiter..."

"Shh. He'll hear us." Willow looked mortified, then she hiccuped loudly. That set the giggles off again and earned them a disapproving glance from an old woman at the next table.

"That's the idea, birdbrain." She leaned out for a better view of him and nearly fell off her chair. "Hey, he looks a lot cuter after a glass or two, doesn't he?

Willow nodded and picked up the menu. She gave a strangled shriek and dropped it again. "Buffy have you seen these prices? I can't afford to eat here." She looked mortified. "I can just about buy a burger and fries.." Then she brightened. "But burger and fries are good, right?"

"Let me see that." Buffy snatched the menu from her and scanned it. "No problem." She flipped it down on to the table. "I'll pay."

"Oh no Buffy, I couldn't let you do that."

"No big." She fished into her purse and brought out a gold credit card. "See."

"No I couldn't." Willow's face reddened. "My folks aren't rich like yours. The whole family's helping to pay for my year in England and, well, I've just got to be careful."

"Then let me pay." Buffy poured herself another drink and stared at the glass, momentarily sober. "What's the most exciting thing you've ever done Will?"

"Me?" Willow thought for a moment and then she thought some more. "Well, coming to England by myself. That's exciting right?"

"I know Will." Buffy took a sip of her wine and then raised the glass and drained it. "But have you ever done anything, you know, really naughty?" She looked up and saw Willow's face go red again. She leaned forwards excitedly. "You have, haven't you, go on, tell me."

Willow gave her a sheepish grin. "Only if you do." She took a gulp of her wine. "Deal?"

Buffy nodded.

"Well," Willow began. "When I was in fourth grade, I was out shopping with my mom and," she leaned forward and whispered, "I stole a packet of balloons from a toy store."

"Oh" Buffy flopped back in her chair. "Is that it?"

"They were nice balloons, you know. With big mouse ears and cute little noses." Willow's face took on a dreamy expression as she remembered, then she looked up at Buffy. "That's not what you meant is it?"

"Not really. "Buffy started to fold her napkin into neat pleats. "Do you know what my dark secret is?" She inspected the napkin for a moment and threw it down onto the table. "I haven't got one. That's what it is. I'm a convent girl through and through and when I get back to the States I'll be expected to marry an appropriately rich guy, and raise a nice family of kids. Do you know how long I had to plead with my father just to let me come to England?" She pushed Willow's glass at her. "Look at us Will. Sensible hair, sensible shoes, sensible lives. Don't you want to really live a little?" She pushed her chair back and stood up, warming to her subject. "Well now we've got the chance. Drink up Will, never mind lunch. You and me are going to put daddy's credit card through it's paces and when we hit that club tonight, no-one's going to recognise us."

tbc.