First time writer (apart from the odd letter or grocery list). Will take all constructive suggestions. Insert standard disclaimers here.







Champion

By Yvonne




"I don't know why I can't go with you. It's not like I'm going to be wrestling or anything.... I'll just watch! You might not even notice I'm there!"

Cordelia was nearing rant mode - weeks of being an invalid had shredded every last nerve she had. Wes and Gunn, and even Fred, were heading out on yet another exciting...well maybe not exciting.... actually probably a boring, routine patrol and she wanted to go. Anything was better than spending even one more hour in her room. Fred was using her patient voice, quiet and calm - God Cordelia hated that voice.

"Cordy, you know you aren't quite up to full strength yet. The doctor said...."

"I know what the doctor said. I hear 'what the doctor said' every time I want to do something, anything around here!" God, Cordelia thought to herself, I hate my whiney voice even more.

"I know, I can go out and talk to people, maybe get a line on that new player, you know, that Toh!rojam demon. Maybe we can find it before Angel.….."

Fred sighed. "Look, Cordelia, you are getting stronger, but it hasn't been that long since you were, um, sick. You will be better in no time and you can start doing more. Just rest, and we will be back before you know it. I'll bring ice cream. Promise."

Cordelia stared at Fred for a moment, and her shoulders sagged. So tired. Still weak. She knew the truth of it. Time and rest, and she could get back at it, be useful again. "Yeah, I know....Sorry, Fred. I shouldn't take it out on you. You guys go, and I will see you later. And don't forget the ice cream." She flashed Fred a ghost of a smile.

Fred sighed with relief and called out to Wes and Gunn in the office "Time to go!" The three shouldered their weapons and left for their patrol.

****************************************************

After two hours and a rest, Cordelia was being fractious again. Being confined to bed for most of the day, then only short periods up had given way to this in-between period. Too weak to start living her life again, but too well to lay about all day. And she was bored. Bored, bored, bored. She wandered around the lobby, through the office, picking things up, putting them down. She tried to make sense of the bills - hopeless. And where is Fred with the ice cream. "God" she shouted "I need something to do!"

Suddenly, the vision hit and she clutched her head and fell to the floor. A small man, cowering in an alley beside a dumpster, gazing up at a menacing dark figure - the monster reaches out toward him with both hands. Cordy gasped, the feeling of danger, the threat of violence tore at her. "Oh no, that's the alley behind the Hyperion. I have to get help." She clambered to her feet and raced to the phone, dialing Fred's cell phone, but only got the recorded message. "They must have turned it off - what am I going to do!" There was nothing for it - she couldn't just stay put - she had to do something.

Grabbing a pistol and a stake from the locker, she ran to the back of the hotel and out the service door and saw........

Nothing.

No fight, no threat, no monster - just an alley.

She looked about, confused. Her visions had always been accurate. She had always known the when and the where. This was the first since.... well, in a long time, but she would never doubt the truth of them.

She moved quietly towards the dumpster, wary and ready, but nothing. As soon as the panic left, her bad mood came back full and nasty.

"Well, that's just great. " she exclaimed. "The Powers That Be finally remember me and they send me a bogus vision."

"The Powers?"

She spun to her right at the sound of the voice. Standing at the edge of the building stood a vampire, grinning, all ridges and fangs.

"The Powers aren't going to help you now, little girl."

Now, Cordelia at her prime maybe could have handled this situation but Cordelia was hardly at her prime. She was already feeling fatigued from the race to the alley, and her limbs felt like lead. She dropped the pistol into her pocket and shifted the stake into her right hand, her mind whirling. She was trying hard to head off the panic when the vamp started to make his move. She had time to draw a breath and tense when suddenly a dark shape hurled itself at the vampire from the alley behind her. A flurry of blows, sharp cracks sounding in the night and the vamp was dust.

Before Cordy fully registered what had happened, she heard running footsteps coming up behind her. Blindly, she struck out with her free left arm, connecting with something soft. It went down with an "Oof". She spun and there, in a heap beside the dumpster, lay a young man, shaking his head in confusion. Sensing movement beside her, she looked over she right shoulder and saw the form of her rescuer coming towards her. He walked past Cordelia, reached forward with both hands, grasped the young man's hands and pulled him to his feet.

Oops, thought Cordelia, proper vision, bogus interpretation! She almost felt, well, a little silly. Way to jump to conclusions, Cordy! Cordelia felt her irritation returning, well on it's way to being a full blown snit.

"OK, what just happened here? And who are you?" she demanded impatiently.

The young man was brushing himself off but paused then looked up at her. His eyes widened as he said "Cordelia Chase? Cordelia, it's me, Jonathon!" He grinned at his silent companion. "It's Cordelia, from Sunnydale."

"How do you know me? And how do you know about Sunnydale?"

"It's Jonathon, Jonathon Levinson - we went to Sunnydale High School together." He shrugged, still smiling. "I guess you don't remember me. I'd be surprised if you did remember me but boy, it is sure great to see you!"

"Great! The Powers send me a vision so I can renew old high school ties. The cosmic joke that is my life......... What?"

At the mention of the Powers, Jonathon's smile vanished. "The Powers? You had a vision? They sent you a vision? About me? About us? I think I may know why. "

"What could you possibly ......" Cordelia started.

They sent me here - well, me and him - I didn't know why. I think I do now. We need, well, I think that you, umm, well..........we could use some help."

Cordy looked at Jonathon, and then at his companion. Her eyes widened as she realized that the face was familiar. Fear gripped her, and she started to raise her stake. Oh, God, it was Spike! Or...was it? The same angular features, the same shock of white hair but with an uncharacteristic bland expression on his face. No, not bland; he looked calm, relaxed, peaceful even. So not Spike.

She shook her head and looked back to Jonathon. "I think that you have some explaining to do. What are you doing with him? This is Spike....William The Bloody. Don't you know how dangerous he is? He's a killer; a vampire - and he is really, really evil."

"William and I, well, it is kind of hard to explain. We kind of died."

"Huh?" Oh boy, thought Cordy, here we go.

End of Chapter 1