Author's Chapter Notes:
I had this idea in my head and figured I should try writing it down. I wasn’t sure about it at first, but I really like how it turned out. I think this is actually one of my favorites. I’m sure something similar to this has been done before, but I like to think that I do things a bit differently. You know the drill; feel free to let me know how it is. I love all reviews=)
Chapter 1

William Anderson entered Sunnydale High School on the first day of his senior year. He prayed that things would be different this year, but wouldn’t get his hopes up. He wasn’t watching where he was going and crashed into someone, which caused him to fall to the floor. It was then that he heard the laughter.

“Watch where you’re going, loser.”

William didn’t even bother to look up at the voice. He just got off of the floor and then made the mistake of glancing in front of him to see a few cheerleaders pointing and laughing at him, including his crush. He noticed that she wasn’t laughing with the rest of them, but he was still embarrassed that she had to witness his clumsy display. William ran his fingers through his hair and hoped that the day wouldn’t get any worse, when he heard a voice behind him.

“Hey, Anderson? I see someone has gotten even scrawnier over the summer.”

William turned at the familiar voice and smiled at the sight of the blonde girl behind him, then enveloped her in a big hug.

She laughed and pulled out of the embrace. “I’ve missed you, too.”

“It’s good to see you, Buffy. How was your summer?”

She shrugged as they started to walk. “Boring with a side of dull. Dad was working most of the time; I hardly got to see him.”

William nodded and felt bad for his friend. He knew her father was a wanker, but he didn’t say anything about him. “If it helps, mine was pretty boring as well.”

“I heard you were helping my mom out at the gallery. I really pity you.”

He shook his head. “It wasn’t so bad, I like hanging out with Joyce. It’s nice being around someone that doesn’t treat me like a freak.”

Buffy stopped to look at him. “William, you’re not a freak. I told you not to believe anything those jerks say. They don’t know you.”

William graced his friend with a small smile. She always knew how to make him feel better. William was terrified of moving to the states to live with his uncle. He was afraid that he wouldn’t fit in. When he first arrived at Sunnydale High on his first day as a sophomore, he was treated like a freak. They all thought he was a geek and no one wanted to be around him. That was until Buffy came over to him at lunch and sat with him. She was the first person that befriended him and he was very grateful for that.

They went outside to their favorite spot under the tree, where they had a perfect view of the football field.

William let out a sigh when he saw the cheerleaders run out for practice.

Buffy noticed where his eyes were and realized that he was again staring at Cordelia Chase. She was head cheerleader and one of the most popular girls in school. William had a huge crush on her. Buffy frowned and turned back to her friend. “Will, you really need to get over her. It’s not healthy.”

He looked back at Buffy and shrugged. “It’s not that easy. I just want her to notice me, when I’m not falling down or getting beat on by some jock.”

Buffy felt for him. “It’s a new year; maybe you should stop trying to get her to notice you. Maybe you should focus on putting your interests on someone else, someone that would actually like you back.”

William rolled his eyes. “Who would that be, Buffy? There isn’t a girl in this school that would ever be interested in me. I can’t even get a girl on the chess team. Do you know how sad that is?”

Buffy suddenly glanced away from him.

He noticed the tiny smile on her face. “Are you laughing at me?”

Buffy put on a serious expression and looked back at him. “No, of course not. It can’t be that bad.”

William gazed back out at the cheerleaders. “I would give anything to have her.”

Buffy felt saddened and jealous at the same time. It would always be about Cordelia. Buffy had liked William since they first met, but he never saw her as more than a friend. She would give anything for him to look at her like that, but knew it would never happen. He wasn’t like the other guys that she dated, he was sweet and caring. She really wished that he would notice her. Buffy decided that right now he needed a friend, even if she wanted more. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves. “Maybe I can help you with that.”

He raised his eyebrows. “How could you help?”

Buffy moved closer to him and ran her fingers through his soft, brown curls. “You ever think about a change? I’m not just talking about the hair. The clothes could use a change, too.”

William shrugged. “I never thought about it. You could get her to notice me?”

Buffy looked him over and nodded. “Trust me, William. When I’m done with you, you’ll have every girl in school after you.”

That brought a smile to his face as he turned back to the field. “I only want one,” he claimed, then looked back at Buffy. “All right, I’ll do it.”

Buffy nodded and saw how happy William seemed. She would change him and then Cordelia will probably fall madly in love with him. She felt saddened again at the thought of that. Buffy only wanted him to be happy, even if it would end up hurting her.