Chapter 1: Now
The bartender refilled the shot glasses on the bar. It was a good night. His bar was filled with lots of patrons. Of course, they were all demons and liked to drink and fight, but it seemed tonight, all they wanted to drink. There were about five or six groups of different demons in the bar tonight, talking up a storm. There were also a couple demons that have had too much to drink and have passed out. “Then this little girl said, 'you never heard of a slayer? Well now you have’ then poof, all five dust.” The passed out vampire at the end of the bar, seem to waken and become very interested in the conversation. “Man, she was young, can’t believe they still are recruiting them so young, and alone. I thought they had them working with a team.” The ugly green demon was telling his friends.

“Mate, where were you that you met a slayer?” The previously passed out vampire at the end of the bar asked.

“Cali, some stupid little town with the Hellmouth, something dale, or something like that. She was a young one with a mouth! I can’t wait to go back and put something in it, if you know what I mean,” the green demon snickered as he elbowed his companions.

“Did I ‘ear you say she’s young? How young, twenty-six, twenty-seven, blond bint?”

“No, I mean YOUNG, like 17 or 18 and she was far from blond, she’s a red head, looked natural. And man, she was a fighter, that one. But that town was messed up. I’ve never been to a Hellmouth, but they are seriously fucked up, fifteen cemeteries. Good playground for someone to get down to business.” The demon was not interested in keeping topic that the vampire wanted.

Ignoring the ramblings of the green demon, the vampire pressed on. This could not be, a new slayer, eighteen? He thought that they called them when they were 15 or 16. “No, the slayer is about 26, blond, hazel eyes, little thing. Has lots of annoying friends that got patrolling.” The vampire started to use his hands as visuals.

“No, I am telling you, this girl was not blond, and she wasn’t a day over 18. I heard they called her when the last slayer was killed a couple years ago. I am still hearing stories of that one.” The demon chuckled with some of his memories. “And no one was working with her. I stuck around a couple days and the only person she had contact with was the ole’ watcher in that town.” The vampire stood up quickly and walked up behind the demon and lifted him off his stool. The vampire threw him across the room into a brick wall and strode purposefully up to him and lifted him off the ground.

“What did you just say?” The vampire almost whispered.

“The s-slayer w-wasn’t b-blond?” The demon sputtered.

“No, the other thing about the last slayer?” He roared while he shook the demon and banged his head against the wall. The vampire hadn’t acted like that in years. He usually spent his time passed out in some bar.

“S-some demon gang attacked her and killed her a couple years back, maybe four or more. I heard she was a good looking gi...” At that, the demon’s head was snapped in two and his head rolled to the floor. The vampire just stood there in thought. No, it couldn’t be. SHE couldn’t be dead. He would have felt it, wouldn’t have he, a couple years ago? He was supposed to protect her, he promised her, told her he saved her every night after that one he couldn’t. He didn’t save her. No, he told her he loved her, tried to rape her, and then left her. Just like the others. He was the wanker, not the others. He was supposed to be there, protect her. Protect the ‘Bit. Oh, No. What was she doing, did she survive? How could she? ‘Bit probably wasn’t out of high school yet when it happened. If big sis barely kept them together, what did ‘Bit do when she was gone? He promised to look after her and save her. He failed miserably, just another thing to add to the list.

The bartender came up behind the vampire and said, “Buddy, you are not good for business, leave now or be dust.” The vampire looked up at the bartender. The slayer was dead. No, HIS slayer was dead, isn’t that what the green git said. The new slayer worked alone, save the watcher. It had to be Giles. He had to get some answers. Spike snapped out of his thoughts and decided to go peacefully.

“Sorry, mate, just got a little over enthused, got to go see a guy about a girl.” He strode out of the bar and hopped on his bike.
~*~*~*~

“Thanks for picking me up, guys, I brought back LOTS of stuff,” Dawn exclaimed in the car packed with herself, luggage, Xander, Anya, Willow, and Giles.

“No problem, Dawnie, glad we fit everyone and everything in here. Seems you brought back half the islands with you,” Willow said looking around in the car. Xander was driving; sitting next to him was a large box and Anya clutching at a piece of Dawn’s luggage. In the back seat was Giles, Dawn, and Willow all holding some sort of piece of luggage or box containing souvenirs from Dawn’s trip.

“H-how was the airplane, did you get ill again?” Giles asked trying to balance the very awkward box that seems to hold a bunch of marble like objects that kept rolling around, shifting its weight.

“Oh geeze thanks for the mention….. Noooooo, I did not get sick this time around. I think with all the activities on the islands, I got over that ‘tummy turning flips just because you are in the air.’ After that one boat ride drying the second week, I doubt I will get sick again.”

“Did you join the ‘Mile High Club?" Xander and I joined it on our way to our Honeymoon, it was very nice intercourse,” Anya chimed in. After the debacle of their previous try at matrimony, Anya and Xander finally worked out all their issues and got hitched in an impromptu wedding at the local city hall.

“Uggg, NO!” Dawn exclaimed and wrinkled her nose. “Gross much? I think they frown down upon that.”

“Did you meet any hot guys?” Willow asked excitedly.

Dawn looked down and blushed, “Ummm, yeah I met a couple guys, but there wasn’t much time to date or anything.” Willow instantly felt bad when she saw the young woman’s embarrassment.

“Hey look, we’re here,” Xander spoke up as they neared the old house on Revello Drive, “Home, sweet, home.” Xander parked in the back and the group started to unload from the packed car. After the last of Dawn’s luggage and boxes were unloaded and in the house, the group decided to have a barbeque as a ‘Welcome Home’ celebration. Xander and Giles started the grill and Anya, Willow, and Dawn started to prepare the food. Once outside with the hotdogs, hotdog fixings, and potato chips, the group sat around the picnic table and started to tell Dawn about what has been going on in Sunnydale.

“Well, no apocalypses, but Traci did have a couple ‘big bads’ and ‘big bad wannabes’ to put down,” Xander stated.