Author's Chapter Notes:
I must warn you Spike will be with an OC temporarily, but nothing will happen with them. Please don’t let it discourage you from reading! (I also will be getting rid of Riley ASAP). This is a Spuffy fic, I promise.
Big hug to Ariel for, of course, betaing this fic. And thanks to Spikesdeb for making sure my Spike voice was okay. *hugs you both*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter One: A New Visitor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike’s crypt door slowly opened revealing the entrance of a black clad figure. She closed the door quietly and looked around. She tiptoed in, sniffing her way around. Her eyes flashed gold as she looked around in the dark. The figure stood still as she heard the faint sounds of someone approaching.

“What in the bloody hell are you doin’ in here?” a British voice sounded out and slowly a sleek figure came into the little light that illuminated the crypt. His hair was bleach blonde and he stood in a predatory stance, black jeans molded to his legs. His pale, bare, muscular chest seemed to glow in the darkness. His blue eyes flickered to gold as he approached her.

It was just her luck. She had found the one person she had been looking for.

“Look, it’s almost sun rise and I have nowhere to go,” she stated as she stepped forward. Her brown hair shone in the scant light and her brown eyes blended into the darkness. “Let me crash here till the sun goes down and then I’ll be gone. Please?” she asked, hoping that Spike would let her stay; it would make things a lot simpler later.

Spike took a deep breath, contemplating letting her stay for the day, when he caught the scent of her blood; she was hurt. Now that Spike looked closer, he could see the slashes on her clothes and how she was holding her side. Spike couldn’t help the growl he let out once he smelt her blood; it smelled sweet and powerful.

Instinctively, she growled back. Spike could sense the superiority in her growl; it seemed to roll off her skin. This was an elder vampire, older than him, probably even older than Peaches. He scrutinized her trying to figure out who she was. Spike knew most of the Master vampires.

“You got a name pet?” Spike asked.

“Nikole,” she replied standing there, studying Spike--William the Bloody. She knew who he was but he didn’t know who she was, and that brought a faint smirk to her lips. She chuckled at the puzzled look on his face and then stopped at the pull of pain in her side. It was hurting her more than she’d like to admit and if she didn’t lay down soon, she was going to collapse.

She leaned against one of the sarcophagi, trying to ease the pressure on her ribs. She had run into a vampire nest on her first night in this town, Sunnydale. This was really the Hellmouth. She could feel all the vibes coming from it and it unsettled her; but, being a Witch turned Vampire had its advantages. Once she slept for a bit she would have enough strength to finish the healing that the vampire side of her had started.

“Fine, you can stay, but no funny business,” Spike said. Something about this girl puzzled him, and Spike always loved a challenge.

“Thanks, I’ll be gone by sundown,” Nikole replied, hoisting herself onto the sarcophagus.

Spike retreated back into the shadows and went down the ladder. Why he had let the chit stay for the night, he didn’t even know, but something had pressed him to say yes. Agitated, he grabbed a cigarette from a table and lit it up, nicotine filling his already dead lungs.

Now that’s better, Spike thought as he took another drag. He began to pace, thinking about the girl upstairs, Nikole. He couldn’t put his finger on it but there was something different about her. Finally, with dawn now upon him, the pull of sleep became too much, and he drifted off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nikole woke with a start. Keeping her eyes closed, she stretched out her senses. Spike was still asleep downstairs, or at least she thought he was since she didn’t hear any movement; the whole lack of heartbeat made it hard sometimes. She also couldn’t sense anyone outside.

Nikole sat up on the tomb that had been her bed, taking a deep breath and began to meditate. With her eyes closed, her concentration focused, she bathed the room in a pale white color as she healed the rest of her wounds, breathing deeply as she finished.

She looked around, trying to figure out what to do till sundown. Her vampire senses told her she still had a couple of hours still to go. She got up and stretched, loosening up her muscles. She picked up her shirt and scrunched her nose at what remained of it. It had caked blood on it and the sleeves were pretty shredded.

Her stomach gave a rumble. She’d have to eat soon too; the blood loss having a hunger effect on her that she was trying to ignore without much success. Not seeing much but the chair and the TV around, she plopped herself into the chair and turned on the TV, soon being absorbed into the unfolding drama.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two hours later, Spike was slowly blinking his eyes open. He heard the faint sounds of the TV from upstairs and figured that Nikole was up. He would have to talk to her. He stretched languidly and then got up, dressing and then headed up, a plan already forming in his head.

“Morning,” greeted Nikole.

“More like afternoon pet,” Spike corrected.

“Yeah, I guess you're right. Only an hour left till sundown and then I’m out of here.”

“Hold up a bit luv. Did you really think I was just gonna let ya go? How do I know that you ain’t gonna go out and snack on the innocent, not that I really care, just don’t want all this comin’ back to me. Don’t need the bloody Slayer down my throat for not killin’ ya when I had the chance,” Spike replied.

Nikole raised an eyebrow at the stake that Spike held in his hand. She watched as he took a defensive stance.

“Do we really have to do this?” Nikole asked getting up from the chair. She took Spike’s non-answer as a yes. “Alright, but don’t say that I didn’t warn you.” In a blur of movement, Nikole had disarmed him and pinned to the ground.

“Fuck,” Spike murmured. The girl had moved so fast, he hadn’t even seen her coming.

“Spike, look into my eyes,” Nikole said gripping one wrist in each hand and pinning down his legs with hers. Lying on the ground, Spike was looking around, trying to figure out the best way to get up. Wait, she had a warm body? That wasn’t right; she should be cold. There was more going on than he thought and he was going to find out.

“Spike! Look at me!” she repeated.

Spike didn’t know what made him look at her; maybe it was the desperation in her voice. He hesitantly stared into her eyes, even though he knew it might not be the smartest idea, especially if this bird had a thrall. He gazed into her eyes for a few moments and then he saw it; it hit him like a ton of bricks: she still had part of her soul.

“Bloody hell!” Spike exclaimed, stopping his struggling and laying placid underneath her.

“So you saw it?”

“Yeah, that I did.”

“Good, now that we got that over with,” Nikole said hoisting herself up and then offering a hand down to help Spike up. He took the hand and was again surprised at the strength it had.

“So pet, what’s with being warm?” Spike asked releasing her hand.

“Yeah, I’ve noticed. I haven’t come across any vamp that was warm either. I have no clue why I am still warm or even why I still have a soul.”“So what are you doin’ in Sunnyhell?” Spike questioned as he opened the fridge.

“I’m here to see the Slayer,” Nikole said confidently.

“To kill her?” Spike asked, glancing up at her as he poured himself a mug of blood.

Nikole could feel her hunger rise as she breathed in the scent of the blood, but kept her game face down, her years of control coming into play.

“Of course not. I am here to help her,” Nikole said.

“Against what? New big bad comin’ to town?” Spike asked taking a drink of the blood. He could see her eyes flash golden as she watched him drink. Chit was probably hungry after bleeding last night. The gentlemen part of him won out in the end and he poured her a mug and handed it to her.

“Thanks,” Nikole replied and then gulped down the blood. Her face vamped out as she finished it and handed the mug back to Spike.

“No problem luv, figured you could use it after last night,” Spike said taking the mug and turning away. He walked over to the corner area where a little hole in the wall revealed a small water valve. He took his time washing the mugs, setting them on top of the fridge to dry.

“So you were sayin’ somethin’ about a new big bad?” He prompted. Sprawling out in the chair, he looked up at her.

“Something’s coming Spike. Something bad and the Slayer won’t be able to fight it on her own.”

“Care to elaborate?”

“Not here, not now,” she said looking around. “You’re helping the Slayer so I will explain everything when I see her and her Watcher and explain everything to them. I’d rather explain it to all of you at once then have to do it a million times.”

“So what? You’re hopin’ that I will just take you to her and say ‘Oi, Slayer, sorry to bug ya, I know you don’t like me much, but this chit here, who happens to be a vampire, says that something bad’s comin’ and she’s here to help ya and you’re suppose to believe her’. Yeah I see that goin’ over real well, especially with the Watcher.”

“Spike, I really need you to take me to them. Look, if I don’t help the Slayer, she and someone she loves could die,” she pleaded.

Spike thought of Buffy getting hurt, how’d she crack if someone she loved died, and caved in.

“Fine. We’ll try tonight,” Spike said and readjusted himself in the chair.

Just as Nikole was about to say thank you, the crypt door opened, letting the direct sunlight in. Luckily Nikole was out of the way, Spike, unfortunately wasn't.

“Bloody fuckin’ hell!” Spike roared and flew into the darkest corner.

“Oh, sorry about that Spike. I didn’t expect you to be up here,” Clem said hurrying and shutting the door.“Clem!” Nikole threw herself onto Clem and with surprising reflexes, he caught her.

“Well hello. Haven’t seen you in ages.” The two friend exchanged hugs.

“I didn’t know you were in Sunnydale,” Nikole commented, letting him go.

“Yeah, I’ve been here for a few months,” Clem said, his hanging skin moving as he talked.

“You two know each other?” Spike asked coming forward, cradling his arm.“We met a long time ago. Clem helped me put of a rough spot and we’ve been friends ever since,” Nikole answered.

“I really am sorry about that Spike,” Clem said taking a closer look at Spike’s arm. It was blistered and a bright shade of red.

“Here, let me see it,” Nikole commanded, reaching for his arm.“Don’t worry about it, I heal right quick.”

“Spike, trust me, she knows what she’s doing,” Clem reassured.“Fine.” Spike grudgingly gave her his blistered arm.

Nikole gently laid her hands on top of the worst burn. Spike let out a hiss of pain but stayed still. He watched as she closed her eyes and was quiet for a few seconds, her lips silently moving. Then a pale blue light surrounded her hands.

When he realized what she was doing he began to pull his arm away but then stopped when a cool sensation began to run over his burns and soothe them; the relief was bliss. The cold sensation wrapped around his arm and was gone just as abruptly as it had begun. The pale blue light faded away and Nikole opened her eyes.

“All done,” Nikole said removing her hands to reveal a smooth expanse of skin. All that remained of the wound was a slight pink tinge where the worst of the burns use to be. “The pink should fade away after tonight.”

“You’re a witch?” Spike asked suspiciously.

“No, what made you think that?” Nikole retorted sarcastically and rolled her eyes at him.

“Thanks pet,” Spike said warily.

“You’re welcome,” she said giving him a small smile. She then turned back to Clem. “Clem, I’ve missed you so much. So what’s new?” She asked sitting on the sarcophagus.

“Same ole, same ole. Nothing much new,” Clem responded sitting down next to her. “So what are you doing on Sunnydale?”

“Have to help the Slayer. Something bad’s coming Clem, and I don’t like it one bit.”

“So where are you staying?”

“I’m staying at a hotel,” Nikole said.

Spike was sitting again watching TV and acting like he didn’t care but was listening to every word they said.

“Nope, you’re not staying there. We’ll go get your stuff and you can stay at my place,” Clem said patting her on the shoulder.

“You sure? I don’t want to cramp you.”

“Don’t worry about it. You’re my friend and that’s what friends do for each other.”

“Thanks Clem,” Nikole said giving him a quick hug.

“Now, since you’re coming over, we’re going to have to do something,” Clem said grinning.

“Clem, no. I hope you’re not thinking what I think you are.”“You’ll just have to wait and see. Spike?”“Yeah?” Spike turned back to them.

“Do you think you can take Nikole to my place tonight? I have to go make arrangements now and it’s still light out, and it can be a little tricky to find my place.”

“Sure mate, I’ll make sure she gets there,” he answered with a nod.

“Thanks Spike. I’ll see you later and be ready for some fun,” Clem said winking at Nikole.

“Bye Clem,” Nikole replied as Clem left, careful not to let any sunlight in this time.

“Well, since I now know you’re staying at a hotel we can get there by the sewers,” Spike said getting up.

“You have access to the sewers in here?” Nikole asked getting up as well.

“Yeah, come on, by the time we get there it should be safe to go out.” Spike climbed down the ladder and waited for his erstwhile houseguest to follow.

Nikole put on her jacket and dropped down the hole. She quietly landed in a crouch and began to look around. Spike raised his scarred eyebrow at her but didn’t say anything. She saw that Spike had furnished the lower half better than he had above.

There was a desk, a bookshelf that was quiet full, and in the center was a large canopy bed. It was rather dark and the stark white sheet stood out. She watched as Spike slipped on a long, black leather duster and stuffed a box of cigarettes into the pocket. “Alright, this way.” Spike led her towards the farther corner and moved back a screen to reveal a large gapping hole, which connected to the sewers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After about fifteen minutes and many turns, Spike stopped their trek through the sewers.

“Here we are.”

Spike climbed up the ladder and lifted the manhole cover an inch or so. He looked around to see if the coast was clear before moving the cover off completely. With a fluid grace, Spike climbed out, Nikole following behind him with the help of the Big Bad's offered hand. As he replaced the manhole cover, Nikole found that they were standing directly behind her hotel out of the public eye.

She began to walk towards the front of the hotel, to use the public entrance, knowing that Spike was following right behind her. They didn’t have to worry about a barrier since it was a public place and they both entered with ease. Nikole gave a little nod to the receptionist, who was eyeing Spike, paying no attention to her. The pair of vampires rode the elevator to the 2nd floor.

“I can’t wait to get out of here,” Nikole said opening the first door on the right.

They entered the room and Spike looked around. It was painted an off white color with crème color carpet. The bed took up most of the room but there was a desk in the corner and a small TV sitting on a stand.

“I’m going to take a quick shower first. I’ve still got vamp dust in my hair,” Nikole told Spike as she began to rummage through her bags and pull out some clothes.

“Yeah, so what happened last night pet?”

“Went around looking for the Slayer and I ran into a vamp nest. I decided to take them out myself and got thrown through a window, which was a mistake on their part because that just pissed me off. I went back in and kicked their butts,” she answered grabbing her toiletry bag.

“Sounds like you had a right fun night,” Spike said with a tinge of jealousy.

“Yeah," she chuckled. "It was good after being stuck in the car for a couple of days. Well, I'm going to go take a shower, try not to have too much fun without me,” Nikole said, disappearing into the small bathroom that was attached to the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tbc…