Author's Chapter Notes:
Please give this a read and give me some input. I don't intend on making this a long one, but I do want to put a period on the Spike/Buffy Giles saga of one of the first fics I ever wrote.
Thanks,
spuf
MAKE THEIR OWN WAY


Chapter 1:


A/N: This is a little set of vignettes that start about 20 years after ‘Make Her Own Way’ ended. It is a sequel, of course, and one I’ve been meaning to write for some time.

It will not be long and it is kind of a way for me to add closure to one of my first Spuffy fictions I ever penned. While I work on this, I’m trying to suss out the endings for my long running WIPs I have in the works.


Summary: Timeline takes place about 20 years after the epilogue of Make Her Own Way. Spike and Buffy have been married for nearly 30 years and are still together (of course) and still living in Victoria, Canada. Buffy is about 54 years old; a successful art dealer by this time. Spike is nearly 60 and still passionately in love with his ‘golden goddess’ Buffy.

The problem is their children and their screwed up lives. Well, at least the childrens’ lives seemed screwed up to Spike and Buffy!

The kiddies are all grown up!


Chapter 1:


“William,” Buffy whispered to her husband in the cool dark night air of their bedroom. “I can’t sleep,” she sighed in a worried tone.

“I’ll alert the media,” Spike Giles muttered in reply. “Oh, wait,” he smirked into the darkness (yes, Spike still smirks) “I ‘am’ the media,” he chuckled smugly.

“Seriously, Will,” Buffy poked her spouse of thirty years with her left elbow, “I am so upset about JJ and Lizzy that…..”

“Buffy,” Spike mumbled in his half awake voice, “our daughters our nearly thirty-years-old. We can’t hold their little hands forever and such. You yourself made it pretty bloody clear, some time ago, that the girls, and Bill, need to make their own way in the world.”

Spike turned over in bed and faced his still lovely, petite wife, a scowl on his lined face. He loved this firecracker of a little woman, desperately, but she was a paradox, that was for sure.

“We can’t make decisions for JJ, Princess,” he whispered, accepting Buffy’s warm little body as she snuggled closer to his. “If she wants to bail out on poor Jesse? Then so be it. After all, you took off from me, remember, sweet? You were pregs with our golden goddesses and…..”

“That was different,” Buffy grumbled defensively. “You and your father were being total jerks, William Randalph Giles. You were trying to control me; my life and everything I did. I had to run and hide, at least for a while,” she giggled, accepting her Will’s warm kiss on her cheek.

“So how’s it different, baby?” Spike asked as he nuzzled his wife’s neck again, with his lips. “Jennifer Joyce has always been her own woman, darlin’ and always will be. If Jesse can’t accept his wife’s place in the corporate world, then so be it. Well, then he’ll have to let her go. She’s not me, Buffy. JJ will not give up Dad’s company and her position in it. Not like I did. Can’t say I agree with her, of course, especially with little Lexie and Lucas to consider but…..”

“That’s just it,” Buffy sighed in exasperation. “I’m not so much concerned about JJ or Jesse, but our grandchildren are another story,” she mumbled unhappily, letting her still handsome husband snuggle her body to his, again.

“I’ve never approved of Jenny taking over Dad’s interests in the business,” Buffy frowned in the darkness. “Not that I didn’t see that coming, but still, I could see the writing on the wall. Our second born child was earmarked for the corporate world, I understand. I knew it, for sure, when I came home early from the gallery and found JJ, who was all of eleven, arguing in a mock legal trial with the next door neighbor boy. She was arguing the merits of cartels in the world-wide market. I should have known that your father had influenced her beyond all reason,” Buffy grumbled bitterly.

“Now let’s be fair, kitten,” Spike whispered as not to wake his sleeping grandchildren; Alexis, or Lexie as she was called; Lucas and William III, who were having a sleep over at their old grandparents place that night.

“It was you,” Spike noted, honestly enough, “that made me make a pact with you, some years ago. We promised each other we’d try bloody hard not to interfere with our childrens’ lives. Remember?”

“I do,” Buffy sighed again, “but dammit Will,” she muttered in frustration, “I can’t stand to see JJ throw a good marriage away. Just because Jesse doesn’t want her to relocate to London and become the British Martha Stewart of Giles Industries!”

“Look, Buffy, my princess,” Spike began carefully; “we have to let our offspring make their own way. You know it and so do I,” he grunted. “Now, sweetheart,” he continued, “I have to get some sleep. I have to be at the office; with Will Jr. early tomorrow to make sure the transition of power goes smoothly.”

“He’s so proud of you, you know that right, Will?” Buffy purred against her husband’s chest. “Bill’s old man is the best newspaper man in the business and just doesn’t he know it though,” she sighed in contentment.

“He’s a chip off the old block, that’s for sure,” Spike chuckled proudly. “Bill’s the stable one, eh, Buff,” he smiled up at the ceiling, thinking of his twenty-five-year-old only son.

“Our boy is a crack reporter; he’s happily married to a wonderful bird and has given us a beautiful grandson. Only thing,” Spike frowned suddenly, “I wish they’d named the boy anything but William Randalph Giles III. I bloody detest the arrogance of…..”

“That’s enough,” Buffy spat in mock anger. “William III is a lovely name for our grandson,” she cried defensively.

“I suppose,” Spike grunted in reply.

“Will…..” Buffy sighed in her wistful tone. “We’re old, Will,” she continued. “We’re the older generation, nearly senior citizens,” she mumbled rather sadly. “I can’t believe it. One day, you wake up and find half of your life is gone. What do you have to show for it?”

“It’s okay, my pretty girl,” Spike murmured, lovingly, into his mate’s warm little ear. “We’ve done well, Princess,” he added proudly. “You and me? We’ve done bloody amazing, sweetling.”

“Yes, but William,” Buffy began carefully. “I’ve been meaning to talk with you, about Lizzy,” she continued cautiously. “Her last movie? It tanked in the States,” she finished with another sigh.

“I know, my sweet,” Spike groaned. “You know, I told our actress daughter not to make that bloody mess of a film with Freddie Prinz Jr.”


A/N: I hope you read this and enjoy. I will not be updating it a lot, but I plan to have the story finished by Thanksgiving or in time for Christmas. Please know that Spike and Buffy are as passionately in love with each other as they have always been. It’s the kiddies we have to worry about!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.