Author's Chapter Notes:
This is my first fic, I don't know how good is it or if I should continue, so please review to let me know. Some of the conversations are borrowed from a certain episode of Fear Factor.
Buffy stepped out of her taxi and stared up at Hilton Hotel in awe. The taxi driver came out, jogged to the back of the car and popped the hood. He hefted her suitcase out and set it down carefully on the sidewalk, tipping his cap at her politely. Smiling at him, she paid him and tipped him generously, for he was the most delightful man she’d ever met. He’d made her feel welcome when he drove her from the airport.

“If you don’t mind me asking, Miss,” he asked, peering at him over his wire-rimmed glasses at her in the rear-view mirror as he drove. “But why did you decide to pop over here?”

“Oh!” Buffy sat up excitedly. “I’ve been picked as a Fear Factor contestant.”

His eyes widened. “Really? You must be thrilled!”

“Oh yeah,” she nodded, smiling at him in the mirror. “Although I believe my mum and sister are more crazy about it than I am.”

It was true. Dawn had squealed at ear-splitting decibels, jumping up and down maniacally before she shot up the stairs to call and brag to all her friends. Her mother had sat there wide eyed at first, but then she’d given in to torrent of happiness at Buffy’s excitement.

FLASHBACK
“I’m going to win this for you, mother,” Buffy said to her mother. “It’s for those hospital bills.”

“Oh Buffy,” her mother had softly said, reaching out to touch her hand, “You don’t have to…”

“But I want to. I want… I-I want,” Buffy teared up. She brushed the tear threatening to fall at the corner of her eye before continuing. “I want you to get better, mum. With this money, we can pay for the tumour to be removed.”
END FLASHBACK

A bellhop leaped forward and smiled at Buffy, pulling her luggage for her. She followed him through the main door, and gasped at the expansive foyer inside. A couple of escalators stood directly facing the main door leading up to a balcony of second floor littered with shops. There were lounges on either side of the escalators.

She went to the counter to check in.

“Buffy? Is that you?” Buffy turned around at the voice and gasped, “Harmony!”

Harmony gave an ear-splitting shriek and threw her arms out, enveloping Buffy in a hug. Buffy tried not to cringe.

“What are you doing here?” Harmony finally released her. “You don’t strike me as the travelling kind. Don’t you always sit home and have no life whatsoever?”

Buffy gave her a condescending smile.

“Actually, Harmony, I’m here for the Fear Factor challenge,” she said proudly. Take that, you superficial bitch.

“Really?!” Harmony’s eyes widened. “So am I!”

This time when Harmony hugged her again in excitement, Buffy stood frozen in shock. Oh God, what are the stupid chances…

***


After she checked in, Buffy went up to her room. Harmony had disappeared after the receptionist at the counter had called out to her to sign her name.

Looking at the enormous room, she couldn’t help but feel nervous. This room isn’t a hotel room, it’s a freaking apartment! She wasn’t used to such luxuries and felt out of place.

Aiming straight for her bedroom, her eyes instantly fell on a folded card sitting at the foot of her bed, with the bright yellow and black logo of Fear Factor. Opening it, she read:


Dear Miss Summers,
Congratulations for being selected as a Fear Factor contestant!

As it is your first day here, I would like to extend a warm welcome. Please congregate at the lobby at 6pm this evening with other Fear Factor contestants as part of the meet-and-greet session.

Beginning from the 9th January 2006 (Monday), you will participate in three extreme stunts to win $50,000. The stunts will be held at the following dates and times, and please note the appropriate clothes to wear:

9th January 2006 – 10am. Wear comfortable clothes over your swimming outfit.

11th January 2006 – 2pm. Wear any comfortable clothes you own.

13th January 2006 – 7am. Wear your exercise outfits.

In between stunts, you are free to roam this beautiful city and do as you like. That’s it! Enjoy your stay.

Sincerely,
Rupert Giles


Buffy smiled and put down the card. She looked at her watch. 3pm. She had lunch on the plane beforehand so she didn’t feel hungry now. Stripping her clothes, she opened her suitcase and pulled out her toiletries and clothes. She had decided to take a long, hot soak in the bath tub…

***


“So, how’s your experience so far?” Willow asked excitedly over the phone. “Spill!”

“Oh God, it’s so amazing, Wills,” Buffy said, grinning. She was sitting on her bed watching muted television while talking with her best friend, Willow Rosenberg.

“But guess who I met as a fellow contestant?”

“Who?” Willow asked.

“Harmony Kendall!” Buffy exclaimed.

“What?!” Willow screeched in indignation. “That bimbo got a spot on Fear Factor? What were they thinking?!”

“Yeah, I know, Wills,” Buffy said, shaking her head. “I don’t know how they choose their contestants. Maybe her daddy pulled a few strings.”

“Gosh, I can’t believe it,” Willow replied. “She’s essentially brainless. She couldn’t possibly last two minutes into the show!”

“Yeah, especially the first stunt, which is always physical, Wills,” Buffy giggled.

Willow laughed so hard trying to get her next bit out, “And oh, the second stunt with the all the yuckage.”

“And let’s not even mention the third stunt where… wait, she couldn’t possibly lasts to see the third stunt!” Buffy said, laughing with tears rolling down her cheeks.

“If I know Harmony, she’ll be lamenting about her nails all the time,” Willow chuckled.

Buffy looked at her watch. It was now 5pm.

“Listen, Wills, I’ve got to go. There’s a meet and greet session at the lobby for all contestants and I’m not even dressed yet,” Buffy said hurriedly.

“OK sure, Buffy! Go now!” Willow said, “Don’t want you to be late. And Buffy?”

“Yeah?”

“Good luck!”

Buffy smiled. “Thank you, Wills.”

“Call me tonight!”

“You got my promise.”

Buffy clicked off her phone and rushed to get dressed. She realized she must look really good as a first impression for all these people, so she picked out her red halter top and black knee length skirt that swished around her legs.

She put on her makeup and finally pulled on her leather knee length black boots.

5.45pm.

She grabbed her earrings and hurriedly put them on, then grabbed a brush to comb her hair. Setting down the brush, she took a step back to scrutinize the entire ensemble. Not bad, she thought. Nodding in satisfaction, she ran to the door, grabbed her room card and got out.

She waited for the elevator impatiently, and by the time the elevator door dinged open at the lobby, she ran out… straight into a hard body.

“Ooof!” She fell down.

“Bloody hell!” a deep male voice exclaimed. “Look where you’re going, you bloody bint!”

Buffy looked up and blinked. Standing over her was the most gorgeous man she had ever met. Sharp cheekbones, platinum blond hair, beautiful blue eyes, sensual lips, great body… wait, what did he say? In that sexy accent of his?

“What?” she asked in indignation. “This is entirely my fault?”

“Bloody right it is,” he replied, looking at her crossly. He extended a hand to her to help pull her up.

“You could avoid me, you know,” Buffy said in a huff, accepting his hand and got up onto her feet. She couldn’t stop staring at the him. He was so deli-fucking-licious.

“I didn’t have the time to avoid you – you were running like a hurricane as if a bunch of dogs were on your tail!”

Buffy flushed in embarassment.

“I was late!” she exclaimed defensively.

“So?” he crossed his arms and looked straight into her eyes. Buffy shivered under his intense stare. “I believe you owe me an apology, goldilocks.”

“I owe you an apology? Why do I have to apologize for something that is not entirely my fault?”

He raised an eyebrow at her. “Hey, you crashed into me. A’ least I should get a sorry from you, pet.”

“The name’s Buffy,” she said through gritted teeth, “and no, I will not apologize, you bleached moron.”

She turned away from him and cursed loudly when she looked at her watch.

“Now you’re making me even more late than usual!” she yelled at him. She spun around and ran towards the lounge, looking for a bunch of people congregating or any sign of the famous yellow and black Fear Factor logo.

Sure enough, she found a bunch of people grouping together under a huge Fear Factor banner.

She breathed a sigh of relief and slowed down, approaching the group. A middle aged man seem to be acting like a tour guide, from the way he spoke loudly and clearly, waving his hands about.

“Alright people! How many of you are here now?” he started to count. “Ah, there are only four of you. Where are the other two?”

“I’m here,” Buffy said timidly. The middle-aged man turned around to face her and smiled.

“Rupert Giles.” He shook her hand. “You are-?”

“Oh, Buffy,” she said, smiling back, “Buffy Summers. I’m sorry I’m late…”

“Oh that’s quite alright, Buffy,” he replied. “Why don’t you grab a seat first while we wait for the sixth and final contestant…”

“No need, old man… he’s here,” a deep timber voice said from behind her. Buffy froze. That voice…

Giles looked over her shoulder and smiled. “Ah, and you must be Spike.”

A/N: Don't forget to review!