Author's Chapter Notes:
This story I have had in mind for another tv show. I started to have problems with my other story idea, then I started to think about this idea and thought that it would fit better here than in the other place.
Chapter One

Buffy couldn’t believe it. How could she not see this happening? But there was her best friend William or Spike as he now wanted to be called, laying there on a hospital bed with tubes coming out of him. The doctors didn’t’ know if he was going to survive this.

Buffy and William had known each other since they were twelve when he and his father had moved in next door to her and her Mother from England. Though they had never dated, William had always been there for Buffy and vice versa.

Buffy smiled thinking about the first time she had seen the shy dirty blonde haired boy sitting on the porch next door writing in a journal. Her mother had said that she had watched the moving van pull up to the vacant house next door when Buffy had been visiting her dad.

Her mother decided that she and Buffy should go over to the house and invite the new neighbors to dinner to welcome them to the community.

When they got to the door, they met Mr. Rupert Giles, a recent widower and his son William. Mr. Giles had lost his wife to cancer and had come here with his son to start a new life in the states. Mr. Giles then introduced his son William, but he had other plans and ducked out the hall and into his room.

Mr. Giles sighed and explained that his son had always been shy and that the death of his mother had made it even harder on him. Buffy decided at that point that she was going to make friends with him. Even if it killed him.

Dinner that night was great, Buffy and her mother learned that they were from a small town north of London called Canterbury. This was the first time that either of them had journeyed outside of England and Mr. Giles was treating this as adventure. She also learned that Mr. Giles, or Giles and she now called him was going to be running the local bookstore.

When Buffy had tried to speak to William, he clammed up and wouldn’t talk except to say one or two words.

The next day at school, Buffy had been walking to school with her friends Williow and Xander when she saw Riley Finn running toward them with a small book in his hand. Just then she saw William running after him trying to get his book back. Buffy stuck her foot out and tried the jock. When Riley turned over, he saw Buffy. “What the hell was that for. You weren’t involved,” he shouted at her.

Buffy just smiled and took the book that had fallen to the ground where it had fallen. She handed the book back to William without even opened it and continued into the school.

At lunch, Buffy was sitting with her friends Xander, Willow and this time joined with their respective others, Cordelia Chase and Daniel Osborne, better known as Oz. Just then she noticed that William had walked into the cafeteria and had no place to sit. He was about to leave the eating area when Buffy made room and called, “William, over here. You can sit with us.”

William walked over and said, “Thank you, but you didn’t have to do that.”

Buffy smiled, “You’re the new kid and as my job and school hostess, it’s my privilege to introduce you to my friends.” She then pointed to each of her friends in turn, “This is Williow and her boyfriend Oz, and that’s Xander with his girlfriend Cordy.”

William smiled, then Willow asked, “How long have you been in our city.”

William looked down and blushed. He really didn’t like to be the center of attention. “My father and I have only been here for a couple of days. We moved from home to here a couple of months after my mother died. He thought that a change of scenery would be good for me.”

He blushed and said to Buffy, “I wanted to thank you for what you did this morning for me. You didn’t have to do that.”

Buffy laughed, “William, you don’t have to thank me. Riley is a dumb jock and wouldn’t know a book from his backside. You don’t have to worry about it. He needs a good knock down from time to time.”

William then laughed too. This was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Problems came when they where in their senior year and William started dating Drusilla Masters.

One night William talked Buffy into going to a new club in town. Only to discover that this club catered to the Goths. It wasn’t Buffy’s scene, but William liked the music. He said that it reminded him of some of the sounds back home.

The change came slowly when William started to date Dru as he affectionately called her. First the clothes changed. Gone where the khaki pants and nice button down shirts. Now it was black jeans with black t-shirts a Doc Martens. Buffy thought she could handle that, but the real shocker was when Dru talked him into bleaching his hair. Gone was the dirty blonde curls and in its place was slicked back white hair. It almost sent Buffy around the bend when he demanded that everyone call him Spike.

Buffy was sure that she lost him as a friend until the day after she had broken it off with her boyfriend, Parker Abrams. That jerk had tried to rape her after she said that she wouldn’t sleep with him.

Just when she needed her best friend the most, there he was with a gallon of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and a smile. He said to her that night that no matter what was going on with him a Dru. He would always have time for her.

That was until this happened. Now he needed her.

Buffy looked at the bed and started to cry. “Why Spike didn’t you just call me. I would have talked to you. Can’t you realize that I love you.”

She then sat back in the uncomfortable chair and waited for something to happen.

This story hasn’t been betaed and I would really like to have someone to help me with further chapters. Please read and review. I don’t want to post crap.