Author's Chapter Notes:
This story is co-written with the wonderful Brat. This story is based off the actual events of my life that I thought would be fun with a Spuffy twist. The "Spike" in my life was actually a lot like the actual Spike, he had the hair, the eyes, the clothes, all he was missing was the accent!

Also, just a little forewarning, Buffy and Spike will date other people, because they are stupid and stubborn as usual. But no worries, just trust us and stick with the story. =)

With that said, Brat and I hope you enjoy our little creation!
Chapter One


Buffy Summers climbed the bus leading to Sunnydale high school with trepidation. She let out a huge sigh which the bus driver must have mistook for sleepiness because she made a big deal out of rolling her eyes and muttering something about ‘sleeping late’ and ‘not knowing what early was’.

Letting it roll off her back, Buffy trudged to the middle of the bus, to an empty seat and plopped herself down, placing her bag next to her to send the message she wanted to sit alone. She then proceeded to make herself as inconspicuous as possible, and stared out the window, pressing her forehead against it.

She hated taking the bus. She hated the jerkiness, the so-called cliques that formed on the short bus ride, and how obnoxious some of her peers – namely the guys – could be.

She really could not wait to get her license. If only her Dad would take her out to practice. You have one accident with a pole and suddenly you’re marked as a ‘bad driver.’

Buffy grumbled to herself and then darted her eyes to the side, making sure no one heard her grumbling to herself. How embarrassing.

The bus jerked to a stop and Buffy lurched forward in her seat. Planting her feet hard into the floor, she managed to stop herself from going too far and glared at the bus driver who merely swung the doors open with great force. Glancing out the window at the pack of ‘kids’ outside, Buffy’s eyes were drawn to a tall guy with bleached blond hair.

That’s unnatural, she thought. That can’t be professionally done.

What contrasted the stunning white blond hair was the all black ensemble. Right down to the boots. And – he was wearing a duster? In California. Was he nuts?

She lost sight of him as the group piled onto the bus and trying not to stare, Buffy watched out of the corner of her eye for the guy to climb on. She just had to get a gander at this fool in the duster.

She however, did not expect the sight that greeted her. Stunning blue eyes, pouty lips, sharp cheekbones and – Oh. My. God. It was William Giles!

William Giles her childhood best friend that had moved away at eight without so much as a goodbye! William Giles whom she made eat a mud pie, convincing him it was chocolate cake batter. William Giles whom she used to swing on the swings with at the park until their respective mothers would bellow for them to come home for dinner.

William had grown up. Into a gorgeous ‘bad ass’ from the looks of it. Not only that, he was most obviously back in town.

Her heart was hammering in her chest at the sight of him and she turned her head so that he couldn’t see her. What would she say to him? ‘Hey William! How are you? What’s with the duster? When did you get back? Thanks for saying goodbye to me when you moved jackass’.

Nah, that wouldn’t sound right. Well, actually everything up to the jackass part sounded good. But she wasn’t going to say any of it!

What is your deal, Buffy? She scolded herself. William was your friend once upon a time. Surely he remembers you – or maybe not. And how much would that suck to have him look at her and say in his cute British accent “Who are you again?”

Keeping her back straight as a rod, Buffy faced forward, afraid to move even an inch and attract attention to herself.

Yep, Dad was taking her out tonight to practice. He just didn’t know it yet.

****************

“Buffy!” Willow Rosenberg, her red-headed best friend was waving frantically at her as Buffy all but charged off the bus. She got some strange looks for how she practically ran to get off the bus.

Great, now she looked like the dork that couldn’t wait to start school.

“Stop,” Buffy hissed at her and grabbed her arm, marching as far away from the bus as possible.

“What’s going on?” Willow asked, her hazel eyes wide with confusion. Stopping behind the bike racks, far enough for Buffy’s liking, she spun herself – and Willow – to the gaggle of kids loitering school grounds. Her eyes searched for William. Spotting him, she pointed.

“See that kid over there?”

Willow squinted, “With the unnatural white hair?”

“Yes!”

“Yeah. . . what about him?”

“Remember how I told you I had a friend named William when I was a kid?”

Willow’s eyes widened, “That’s him?”

“Yup, that’s him.”

“Buffy, that’s so awesome! What’s he doing here?”

“I don’t know.”

“He moved back then?”

“I guess so.”

“Does he remember you?”

“I don’t know!”

“Do you know anything?”

Buffy started to laugh. “Thanks Wills, I needed that.”

“You were on the bus with him and had the perfect opportunity to talk to him and didn’t?”

“Yep.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m chicken?”

“Buffy, honestly. What are you so afraid of?”

“I’m afraid of looking like a moron, mostly. Do you know how embarrassing it would be to start talking to him and have him get this blank look on his face and say ‘who are you?’ in front of all his . . . punky friends? Mortifying, I tell you, mortifying! Until I get my license, I have to ride that disgusting bus with the stale smell of sweat and food and – why do girls insist on spraying hairspray on a moving bus? Do they not know how nauseous it makes me? Why are you laughing?”

“Because you’re rambling. I can always tell when you’re nervous because you ramble.”

Buffy let out a puff of air through her mouth, and folded her arms across her chest. Her body language meant to say loud and clear: You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Willow raised a brow.

“Oh shut up.”

****************

Despite his outward appearance and ‘cool’ demeanor, William Giles, or as his new friends now called him – Spike -- was nervous.

First day of school; first day seeing faces that he looked at and thought, I kind of remember you.

He’d lived in this town once upon a time. Good ol’ SunnyD. He’d been two when he moved here and had spent his time, he supposed, being content and happy as any child could be when they didn’t know anything really of ‘friends’ and ‘hanging out’. When you’re two and have no siblings and don’t attend day care, you tend to find your own fun and don’t really notice other children until you’re out in the world.

When he started kindergarten, he’d met Buffy Summers. A blond little spitfire with green eyes and chubby cheeks that just loved to boss him around. Though with the memories he had, sometimes he pondered the idea that she’d really loved to just torment him. He remembered just before he’d moved due to his parents divorce, Buffy had a little sister on the way. He remembered warning her not to feed the baby mud pies or she would get into ‘big trouble’.

For three years, until he’d moved at eight, the two had been best friends. Inseparable. So inseparable in fact, he’d declared his intentions to her mother on more than one occasion. He was sure he was going to marry her.

She had truly been his best friend then. So, it was only natural that he was searching for her now.

Well, discreetly looking for her anyway.

He was actually really afraid to see her. Wasn’t sure if he could approach her. What if she looked at him and said ‘Who?’

Rounding the corner to find homeroom, he ran smack dab into someone. Female, he noted, by the long golden hair.

She stepped back and looked up at him. God, she was gorgeous. Lustrous hair, green eyes and the cutest little nose –

“Buffy?” he blurted on a breathless gasp.

She smiled and waved, “Hi, William.”