Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters in this fic, they were created and owned by Joss Whedon and associated companies.
.:Marked:.


Buffy took a second and stopped to look around her. The scene before her made her shudder, the other slayers were fighting the Turok-Han off as best they could but there were girls dying left and right. And the vampires kept coming like a plague, swarming towards the group, waiting for a chance to go in for the kill.

This wasn’t a sport to them, it wasn’t a survival instinct. This was pure breed of vampire, the same vampire’s that roamed the earth in the early days, when the slayer was first created to destroy them. The couldn’t think for themselves properly like the vampires these days. Thinking was what got them killed. They simply acted upon pure instinct, the instinct to kill, to tear flesh, to make innocent blood flow.

She resumed the fight as another vampire came at her. She swung he scythe gracefully, beheading it. This was what she did, fight the fight. Everyday after she had been called on, willingly or not it was what she did. And now there were more slayers and she, with little experience, were dying. And a part of her felt like it was her fault, if she had trained them more. And the other part, one that sounded a lot like Spike was telling her that she did all she could and more.

Spike. She looked over to where he was, fighting three of the demonic vampires at a time. She smiled inwardly to herself. ‘Show off’. Just as usual he was liquid grace in action, the heavy and slightly tacky looking amulet. He was everything she loved, but did she ever dare to tell him that? Did she ever allow herself to even think it? Feel it consume her? To that the answer was a big fat stinking no.

She turned back to the vampires in front of her and slashed at them violently with the chosen weapon. She looked over to Faith who was struggling with keeping the vampires away from herself and the other girls.

Faith. She had really cleaned up nicely after everything that happened, and the whole turning herself over the police, really not expected. She had never been one for authority figures, and yet, here she was battling to save the world she had seemed to hate before without even realising it.

She was once again brought back from the fight by the sickening sound of another one of the girls screaming as her life was ripped viciously away from her. She looked over the body of another foe and saw the next tidal wave of vampires coming.

“ Buffy! Whatever this thing does, I think it’s…” Spike didn’t finish as he stumbled backwards in pain.

Buffy looked concerned towards Spike then back to the growing army that was still attacking them. There was no time for concern, there never was. She let out a sudden hiss of pain and looked to the Turok-Han in front of her. His sword was going straight through her abdomen. She looked down to her wound and fell to the ground hearing the seemingly far off cry of Spike.

“Buffy!” She looked up at Faith and winced. This was no time to give up. She handed the scythe to Faith and closed her eyes at the blinding pain.

“ Oh no... ow! Mommy, this mortal wound is all...itchy. You pulled a nice trick. You came pretty close to smacking me down. What more do you want?”

Buffy gritted her teeth in anger and looked up at the first with disgust. How dare it. How dare it look like her and talk to her like, like she was some good for nothing worthless little weak human. She was more, she was so much more and she knew it.

She struggled to her feet, anger empowering her. “ I want you,” She winced in pain again. “ To get the hell out of my face!”

Somewhere along the point of realizing that she was more then what the first thought she was she had gained new strength. She was more, she was more then even the new slayers were. She was somehow…stronger, better. She was chosen beyond the simple ‘slayer kills vampire with access strength’ routine.

Around her the other girls started fighting off the Turok-han with renewed vigour as if part of Buffy had been passed on to them.

“ And I am sick of you telling me how freaking helpless I am.” She ground out the first who was looking startled, even more so when Spike’s amulet started glowing and bright light shone out of it turning the vampires around him to dust. “ Because you know what? I’m not helpless. Far from. And by the way, I look way better then you!” With that she used the scythe that Rona had thrown to her to slash The First in the stomach and watch in amazement as it bled.

It bled. Real blood. How was the even possible, how had she… She tightened her grip on the scythe and with a roar started hacking away at the rest of the Turok-Han with brutal force.

She felt the ground quake and the walls start to crumble. Looking over at Spike she noticed that the amulet was now killing off most of the enemy. They were winning, hell, they had all but won.

With a yell to the rest of the girls she told them to start running out of the cave, that everything would take care of itself. And she knew it would, somehow she knew. The blonde slayer made her way over the Spike with worry etched on her features.

“ I can feel it.” Spike whispered quietly smiling.

“ What?” Buffy asked although she already knew.

“ My soul. It’s really there. It kind of stings.” He gave her a little smile.

She smiled softly putting one hand on his chest over where his heart would be. “ Of course you can feel it. It’s always been there.” The blonde revelled in the way that he looked down at her in awe. They were the last two in the cave.

“Gotta move, lamb. I think it's fair to say school's out for bloody summer.” He said urgently as a nearby cave wall started to split and crumble away.

“ Spike…”

“ I mean it! I got to do this.” He held out his hand as a sign for her to leave, instead he found her interlocking her fingers with his and was shocked when their joined hands burst into a soft steady flame.

“ Buffy…”

And all that once they couldn’t speak, or move. Just look at each other and feel, feel all the things they already did at one point and so much more. Buffy let out a small gasp as she felt something pass through her, and she felt whole, in that one moment she was a part of Spike and he was apart of her.

“ You have to leave kitten. Before this whole place collapses.”

“ I don’t want to leave without you.” She choked out as tears welled up in her eyes. She was so close, she was so close to finally being able to have everything that she wanted by admitting everything and now it was all going to be ripped away? By what right? Oh, right, she was the chosen one.

“ You don’t have a choice.” His face shifted into that of his demon trying to persuade her to leave now. She didn’t budge. He should have known that his demon face wouldn’t do anything to change her mind.

“ Claim me.”

“ What?” Spike gasped out stumbling a little as the ground shook.

“ Claim me. If…if I have to leave then I want a…a link to you.” Buffy brushed the hair away from her neck and leaned it towards his mouth, he was still in is demon guise.

She heard a soft possessive but loving growl before his fangs penetrated the soft flesh on her throat and let oblivion take her, she savoured the bite, knowing that it would be their last time together. Gripping onto his shoulders tightly she let out a breathy gasp and pulled his head closed running her hands down his body shortly after. Gently she felt him retract his fangs and lick the marks before planting a soft kiss on it. “ You are mine, eternally bound as my mate until thus ends our existence.”

Buffy nibbled lightly on the crook of his neck before biting it with her blunt teeth and letting the blood slowly flow into her mouth. “ I am eternally yours.” She uttered before kissing him hard on the lips.

“ Now go.” He pushed her backwards towards the exit leading to safety.

She could see the tears slowly rolling down his cheeks and let her own fall freely. This was it, the last time she would see him. “ I love you.” Buffy uttered quietly but loud enough so he could hear.

He let out a choked sob and looked at his love one last time. “ I love you Buffy.”

With that she ran up to the top of the building. She heard Faith call down to her but it wasn’t worth leaving before all that happened. She could see the bus moving fast away from the ground that was collapsing quickly behind them and sprinted towards the bus. Jumping onto it she waited until they stopped before getting off.

Wrapping her arms around herself she fell to the ground sobbing softly as she looked at the remainder of Sunnydale, now a big hole in the ground. That was it he was gone. Her fingertips softly traced over the still healing twin puncture wounds on her neck and she couldn’t help but smile lightly. He had gotten the death he deserved, the death of a true champion.
______________________________________
A/N:This was previously under the name 'chosen' but i didn't like it. I might make a sequal to this if i have enough ideas and a clear view of it in my head. So please review! :)