Chapter 1 – Finding Them



The vampire didn’t even get up in time before the slayers stake plummeted into its unbeating heart. “Wow! Buffy! You did great!” Joyce Summers said, holding a bottle of cocoa in her hands. Just then a vampire jumped behind her.

“Mom! Watch out.” Buffy grabbed her mothers’ hand, pulling her out of harms way. “Mom, please go over there so you won’t get hurt.” Joyce nodded, walking backwards as she watched her daughter turn towards the vampire.

Buffy’s eyes widened when she saw his peroxide blonde hair. He smiled, letting down his fighting position. “Well well well, isn’t it Buffy Summers! Been a while ‘asn’t it? Well, you ‘aven’t changed a bit since I last saw you!” He cocked his head to the left, an evil grin upon his face.

“Spike. What are you- why are you-“ She took a step towards him, placing her stake in her belt buckle.

“Already to asking questions aren’t we? And I see you trust me!” motioning to the stake she had put in her belt buckle. She shook her head smiling.

“No, but you can’t hurt me.” She stated, smiling as his jaw dropped open. He shook his head walking towards her.

“Now, what makes you think I can’t ‘urt you? That’s bloody wrong thinking a vampire can’t ‘urt a slayer. Just bloody wrong!”

“It’s not that I don’t think you can’t hurt me, I think you won’t hurt me because you know I can kill you in a second.”

“Well than you don’t know me! You-“

“Buffy! Buffy get over here!” Spike and Buffy looked over to where Joyce was screaming, confused. Spike looked at Joyce and then back at Buffy.

“What’s your mom doing ‘ere?” Buffy shook her head and jogged over to where her mother was standing, fallowed by a confused Spike. There, they saw a little boy and girl, dead upon a merry-go-round like play toy. Both wore a symbol upon their hand. “Oh bloody hell.” Spike shut his eyes, turning around, not bearing to look at the two children lying there, the stench on death around them. He looked back inching slowly towards them. He bent down, taking the little boys hand in his own, his thumb over the boys pulse point.

“Is he alive?” Joyce asked, holding Buffy in her arms. Spike already knew the answer to the question before he even touched the kid. He looked down, shaking his head.

“’fraid not.” His thumb ran across the boys’ cold skin. There was no life in this child. It made him sick to his stomach. Confused at how the child had such an affect on him since many a time he had kidnapped a little kid to bring to Dru as a token. He looked at the two misshapen bodies, tracing over them with his eyes when he saw a symbol upon their hand. He brought the hand up to his face, looking at it closely. “Buffy. Come ‘ere. Look at this.” Buffy walked over, still holding her mothers hand in her own. She looked down, her eyebrows knitting.

“You know what it means?” Spike shook his head. He titled his head to the left, trying to get a new perspective of it, hoping it might help him remember what it stood for. “I’ll tell Giles. He’ll know what it means.”

“Why would some one bloody do this? This is just wrong. I mean, at least the killer could have buried the kids and not leave ‘em ‘ere!”

“Well, whatever did this is going to get it. I’ll make sure of it.”

“How do you know a demon did this? You know its quiet possible that even in sunnydale you got those sick people! But of course, you got to blame it on a demon! Bloody typical of you slayers.” He sat down, his back against the edge of the structure. His eyes narrowed as he glared at the slayer. He crossed his arms over his chest, jutting out his lower lip.

“Well, it’s more likely that a demon did this then a person! We live on the hellmouth Spike and I don’t understand why you’re pouting. You’ve got nothing to pout about!” Spike’s jaw again dropped open. He stood up, looking her in the eye.

“I don’t pout pet.”

“Well it looked like you were from where I was standing.” Spike leaned down to her, glaring at her with as much force as she was to him.

“Will you two stop fighting! Two kids are dead! Nothing, especially you two fighting is going to bring them back!” Joyce yelled at them. Tears began to tumble down her cheeks. Buffy pulled her into a hug.

“Mom, I will find whatever did this and make them pay. I swear it.”

“Yes but that won’t make it any better. Those poor kids will never live again.”

~Library~
Giles polished his glasses, shaking his head gently. “Buffy, was there anything about these kids that pointed to demon, or anything?” Buffy pursed her lips, trying to remember.

“They had a symbol. Spike showed me it but he couldn’t-“

“Spike’s back? Spike was there with you? You weren’t fighting?” He put back on his glasses looking at her surprised that she hadn’t mentioned the vampire’s sudden arrival.

“Yes Spike there was with me and we were fighting, verbally but my mom was there and well there was the whole two kids dead thing going on that both of us just forgot about the other.”

“Whatever, you said there was a symbol on their hands? What did it look like?” Giles asked, pulling out a pad and pen, handing it to her. She took it, thinking before she drew the symbol onto the pad. She handed it back to him. Giles looked at it, his eyes widening when he recognized the symbol.

“What Giles? What is it? It’s demon right?” Giles shook his gently, looking back at her.

“It’s a wiccan symbol. It’s used in many of the English covens in England. I need to look for some information first, figure out if it is something they use in sacrifice.”

“You mean someone with a soul did this? Someone with a soul killed those kids?” Buffy couldn’t believe it. How could someone do such a thing? To little kids.

“Calm down Buffy. Just sit down and we’ll find out how to deal with this.” Giles walked over to a shelf, looking for the certain book which he needed. Buffy sat down, glaring at him.

“Calm down! Don’t tell me to calm down! They were kids Giles. You don’t know what it was like to see them there. My mom was there Giles! She was scared!”

“Well, yes that is expected,” he stated, pulling out a spell book and flipping through some pages.

“Can you also find a loop hole about slayers not being able to kill people?”

~Later than night~
Amy lit the incense. Holding the decayed skull in her hands as she whispered her incantation, she walked around the circle, passing her fellow friend Michael. She placed the skull down before pouring the mixture into the caldron, handing another to her friend. Willow took the cup from her, pouring it into the cauldron, causing the smoke to turn a different shade of purple. She took Amy and Michael’s hand in hers. Whispering the incantation together, they looked down at the symbol in front of them. The same symbol found on the two children.