Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy and Angel belong to Joss and Mutant Enemy and a bunch of other people who aren’t me. Thanks to Sarah and James for bringing these wonderful characters to life.
Chapter One



The crypt door slammed open with a resounding bang against the wall and before it could swing back around, the figure in the doorway swept through and stayed the motion with her tiny but deadly hand. Knee-high boots stepped forward, revealing a slim and shapely leg through the slit in her skirt.



As she made her way further into the room, the moonlight through the windows highlighted her form, washing her in deep blues and grays, the colors of the night and where she spent most of her time now. Hearing a scraping noise coming from further inside the crypt, she walked around the sarcophagus and peered into the hole carved into the floor. A faint flickering from a torch set in the wall revealed the ladder that would take her down to the level below.



Shifting her weapon to her other hand, she climbed down the first few rungs and then dropped the short distance to the ground. Turning around, she found what she had come for- the vampire. She raised her weapon up as he turned around and fixed his eyes upon her form. A corner of his mouth lifted up as he saw her weapon. Uggh, he could be so annoying sometimes.



“Have axe, will travel,” Buffy said as Spike closed the trunk he had been digging around in before she showed up. She noticed he wasn’t wearing his usual black on black ensemble but had donned a dark blue wardrobe consisting of jeans and a button-up long sleeved shirt. The short jacket that he had pulled out of the trunk completed the new look.



“What’s the matter? Didn’t want to get demon blood on your normal, everyday clothes so you decided to let them ruin a perfectly nice set instead?”



He finished pulling on his jacket and walked past her to the ladder. “Never know when I might meet a nice lady friend on patrol, pet.”



She rolled her eyes and handed him the axe as she climbed back up the ladder to the crypt above. “I think the only ladies we’ll be meeting tonight will be the kind that ends up on the sharp side of my axe.”



Spike climbed out of the hole behind her and proceeded to lead her out of the crypt. “Hope you don’t mind, but I thought we’d take the Desoto to the Gixlar nest. It’s on the other side of town and I don’t fancy taking a morning stroll if we don’t get the job done in time.”



“Sure, but I really hope it doesn’t take that long. I have to get Dawn off to school tomorrow and then go meet with my dad’s lawyers to work out a fund for us, and then go apply for late admission for school, and finally come home to a busted microwave. Don’t know how we’re gonna make popcorn.” She saw that Spike had stopped walking and was looking at her. “Sorry, didn’t mean to dump all that on you.”



“No. Don’t be sorry. Anytime you want to unwind, I’m here.” He touched her arm and gave her a little smile, which she returned.



“And any time you want to physically unwind, I’m here for that too.” He smirked at her.



“Pig,” she said as she hit him on the arm.



“Oink, oink.”



She smiled and got in the car as Spike started the engine and took off.



Chapter Two



“I’ve never actually fought a Gixlar. Are they really all that bad?”



“If you stay away from the teeth and claws you should be okay,” he replied as they drove through the warehouse district. “And save the hatchlings for last. If you go after them while the mothers are still alive, you’ll make them even madder and that much harder to kill.”



“Check, no baby slayage.” She frowned. “I guess that’s a good rule anyway.”



He smiled and pulled into a side alley where he turned the engine off and sat back. Buffy glanced around and turned back toward Spike to ask him where they were but he was already getting out of the car. She scrambled out and walked around to the back where Spike was putting the axe into the trunk.



“Uh, Spike? Won’t we need that? And where are we? I thought the nest was on the other side of town.”



Spike closed the trunk and turned back to her. “It is. And since two nights ago, it’s been cleaned out.”



“Then what are we doing here? Spike, I don’t have time to go gallivanting about for car rides when you know I should be patrolling and going home to prepare for my oh so fun day tomorrow.”



“I already patrolled. Now, come on. I have something to show you.”



He started walking to the other end of the alley as Buffy sighed and quickened her pace to catch up with him.



“You know, last time you said you had something to show me, my boyfriend left me,” she said, turning her head towards Spike and matching her step with his. “Since I don’t have that pleasure this time, you’re either about to show me something dastardly about one of my friends or you’ve figured out how to get rid of the chip and you’re going to kill me,” she joked.



Spike stopped suddenly and she turned toward him, frowning when he just looked at her.



“What?”



“Do you really still believe I’d kill you if I got the chip out?” He asked, and she could hear the pain in his voice as well as see it in his eyes.



“No, Spike. I was just kidding. I know you wouldn’t hurt me,” she said, smiling at him. He gave a quick grin and looked down. “Or my friends,” she added. “Except maybe Xander.”



He looked up and smirked. “The whelp would deserve it.”



She smiled. “If you could take him,” she replied as she continued down the alley in the direction he had been walking.



She heard Spike scoff behind her and grinned as he hurried to catch up with her.



“Donut boy wouldn’t last a second if I had this chip out,” he growled.



She just continued smiling. “Uh-huh. Whatever you say Spike.”



He glared at her. “Stop mocking me Slayer or I just might be tempted to take him out, chip or not.”



“Doesn’t that negate the me trusting you not to kill me or my friends thing?” She asked him, the corner of her mouth lifting up when he just glared at her.



They continued walking down the alley until Buffy heard the soft strains of music drifting through the air. She glanced over at Spike as he continued to lead her in the direction of the melancholy music and the tempting smells of fried and sugary foods. As they exited the alley, Buffy found herself face to face with the yearly Sunnydale carnival.



“You want to show me something evil at the carnival?” She asked skeptically.



“No,” he answered slowly. “I want to take you to the carnival.”



She just looked at him like he had suddenly sprouted two heads. “You want to take me to the carnival,” she said, looking back where they could just see the roller coaster cars topping one of the hills. She turned back towards him. “Like a date?”



“No,” he answered quickly. “Not a date. It’s just,” he glanced down and scuffed the sidewalk with his shoe. “You’ve been all about work lately, with the slaying and household duties and what not, that I thought you’d like to take a little break. You know, unwind.”



He looked back up at her and she worried her lip, trying to decide if she could do this. If she could drop everything for one night and try to have fun and live her life like she was supposed to be doing. And with Spike, no less.



She didn’t want him to get the wrong idea and think that if she did go with him, that this would be a regular thing; doing something besides slaying together. She knew he had been there for her for the past month and she was thankful for that; that she had someone she could confide in, and wouldn’t have to worry about him judging her or trying to make her show more emotion about being back. He was just there. Always had been, in one weird way or another. And because he hadn’t expected anything of her yet, she decided to do it.



“Ok,” she breathed, looking back into his softly smiling face.



“Ok,” he breathed back.



“Not a date,” she blurted out, ducking her head and turning towards the carnival so she wouldn’t have to see his smirking face.



to be continued